Find the Best Moving Companies
Compare Top Moving Company Reviews
|American Van Lines|
Read 2,125 Reviews
Offers long-distance, military, commercial, and corporate moving services. Requires a 50% deposit to reserve a move. Charges around $4,000 for a two-bedroom cross-country move.
|Get a Quote|
|Colonial Van Lines|
Read 1,437 Reviews
Offers long-distance moving and storage. Includes packing and assembly/disassembly in estimates. Requires a near-50% deposit. Charges about $4,000 for two-bedroom interstate moves. Has Colonial Cubes moving container option.
|Get a Quote|
Read 19 Reviews
Offers long-distance moving and commercial and corporate relocations. Storage and packing available. Serves the continental U.S. Charges between $2,500 and $5,000 for a two-bedroom move from Philadelphia to Kansas City.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (916) 836-1166|
|24/7 Logistic Services|
Read 71 Reviews
Specializes in long-distance moves for corporations, military personnel and seniors. Charges from $2,000 to $5,000 for long-distance moves. Provides door-to-door relocation options. Offers furniture assembly and protection.
|Get a Quote|
|Safebound Moving & Storage|
Read 145 Reviews
Specializes in long-distance moves. Charges around $2,500 for a cross-country move. Full packing and unpacking services. Short- and long-term storage options available. Provides a dedicated moving coordinator.
|Get a Quote|
|Empire Moving Group|
Read 101 Reviews
Handles long-distance residential and commercial moves. Charges approximately $3,500 for interstate moves. Offers packing and unpacking services, including furniture disassembly and assembly. Auto transport available.
|Get a Quote|
|Bold Moving and Storage|
Read 68 Reviews
Specializes in long-distance moves to and from the DMV (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) area. Charges from $3,500 to $5,000 for a two-bedroom interstate move. Offers a price-match policy to beat competitors’ prices by $500.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (804) 256-3271|
|National Van Lines|
Read 109 Reviews
Handles local, interstate, cross-country, international and specialty moving and logistics services. Performs in-home estimates to ensure quotes are 100% accurate. Offers temporary warehouse storage.
|Moving Squad of South Florida|
Read 510 Reviews
Offers full service local and statewide moving assistance plus storage throughout South Florida’s Broward, West Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties. Long-distance moves require a 50% deposit up front.
|Complete Moving Group|
Read 8 Reviews
Offers long-distance and local residential and commercial moves. Employs certified piano movers and art handlers. Provides auto transport and storage services.
How to hire movers
Finding a moving company doesn’t have to be a major chore. Follow these seven steps to find the best moving company for you:
- Get multiple estimates: With everything you need to do for a move, it’s tempting to choose the first moving company that looks good. However, it’s crucial to research businesses and contact at least two or three moving companies to ensure you’re getting the best deal. Getting a moving quote gives you an idea of what the company charges for your move, but sometimes estimated quotes can change. Some companies price match or throw in extras to gain you as a customer, so it’s beneficial to get multiple quotes.
- Conduct a walkthrough: To get an accurate idea for how much movers cost, have multiple moving companies do a walkthrough of your current home. Moving companies might charge extra for fragile items, bulky furniture or additional labor. The walkthrough also gives you a chance to see if you feel comfortable with the company.
- Ask for references: Reputable moving companies provide references upon request. These references may be former clients, accrediting agencies or insurance agents. Checking references is a crucial step when making sure a company is trustworthy, has a good track record and offers excellent customer service.
- Verify credentials and certifications: If you are using a long-distance or freight-moving company, check with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to see if it is registered with the U.S. Department of Transportation. Verify your moving company’s FMCSA number when its employees show up for your move and keep the number handy in case you need to file a complaint later. You can also see if your mover is registered with the American Moving and Storage Association’s (AMSA) Pro Mover program. This organization conducts background checks on U.S. movers and holds them to high standards.
- Read reviews: It’s essential to know how other customers feel about the company and the types of complaints that are commonly made against it. A mover might look good on paper, but former customers can tell you what it is really like working with the company.
- Know the red flags: Several things should make you suspicious about a moving company. If the company has no address, hasn’t been operating very long or has more than one business name, this can be a sign of fraud or a scam. A company that has no references, reviews or reputation is also suspect and might be run by a scammer.
- Pay only on delivery: A reputable company does not ask for payment until the move is complete. Some companies may require a deposit (typically 20% or less), but you should never prepay the entire cost of a move. Pay your deposit with a credit card in case you end up having to dispute charges — it’s easier to get your money back this way.
ADDITIONAL MOVING RESOURCES
How to pack for a move
Types of movers
There are two types of moving companies: brokers and carriers. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) states that a moving broker is licensed to book moving services and coordinate shipments. A moving carrier, however, owns a fleet of trucks and handles the entire moving process itself. Brokers charge a fee for facilitating relocation services, handling logistics and providing customer services. With a carrier, you’re not paying for sales and marketing teams, but you might have fewer delivery date options. It can also be challenging to resolve problems if they occur.
Long-distance movers move customers from one area of the country to a destination in another state. These movers are required to have different licenses than local or in-state movers. They also have different rates, depending on how quickly the move needs to be handled and how many items are involved. Shop around and look for discounts to find the cheapest way to move long distance.
Some moving companies only operate within a defined local area. Local movers often charge an hourly rate instead of a flat fee.
Corporate relocation companies specialize in moving entire businesses. They can move a large number of belongings, and they have relatively quick turnaround times to make sure the company being moved is back up and running as soon as possible. They also typically provide more packing material and organizational help, such as furniture assembly and disassembly, than other types of movers.
International moving companies help individuals, families and corporations move their belongings overseas. They are usually well-versed in handling customs and immigration issues.
Our favorite moving company picks
What we like: American Van Lines specializes in fragile and high-value items. The company also has a wide range of long-distance moving services available for businesses, residential customers and military personnel. You can get flat-rate pricing for long-distance moving, and its vans have air-ride suspension.
What to consider: You must pay an upfront deposit to secure your move. There are also weight minimums, and you must call for a quote.
What customers say:
- Highly professional moving company. Moving crews and customer service described as helpful, informed and courteous.
- Responsive, proactive moving coordinators.
- Quick communication, especially when giving quotes.
Good for long-distance moves
What we like: Colonial Van Lines has lots of experience — the company handles around 19,000 moves a year. It also has climate-controlled storage options if the dates of your move and availability of your new home don’t line up. You can choose different packing options in case you need help with a particular bulky item, just your kitchen or absolutely everything. It can also accommodate last-minute moves because the company has a large fleet of vans.
What to consider: The company requires a deposit to confirm a move. Include all the items you’re moving when requesting a quote to ensure the quoted estimate doesn’t differ from the final charge.
What customers say:
- Comparable pricing to competitors but better communication, responsiveness and attention to detail.
- Moves exceeded expectations and pleasantly surprised many customers.
- Colonial is willing to acknowledge mistakes and right wrongs.
Good for East Coast moves
What we like: Bold specializes in moves out of the Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia (DMV) area. The company offers residential and commercial/corporate moves. It has a full-service option where its employees take care of everything, including packing, cleaning your old place, storage and unpacking.
What to consider: The company requires a deposit to confirm moving dates. Also, Bold only performs moves out of Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia.
What customers say:
- Bold movers are professional, careful and personable.
- Communication is clear and prompt.
- Reviewers were extremely satisfied, felt the experience was relatively stress-free and would recommend Bold to a friend or family member.
- What do full-service movers do?
- Full-service movers handle every aspect of a move, from packing the belongings in your current home to unpacking them at your new place and everything in between. Full-service movers are an excellent option for working professionals or anyone else who doesn’t have enough hours in the day to get everything done. Hiring full-service movers creates a stress-free moving experience.
- Packing: Full-service movers pack your home for you and provide all materials needed to safely and securely relocate your belongings. This includes handling any large items, like furniture, that may need to be disassembled to make moving easier.
- Moving: Full-service movers load and transport your packed belongings to your new home.
- Unpacking: Full-service movers unload and unpack your belongings, reassemble furniture and dispose of all packing materials.
- How much does it cost to have someone move you?
- The cost of a move differs based on several factors, but you can expect a local move to cost from $80 to $100 an hour. A long-distance move usually costs between $2,000 and $5,000.
Moving costs depend on several factors, including:
- The distance traveled
- The weight of your possessions
- Your house or apartment size
- The amount you tip your movers
- What is considered a long-distance move?
- Most U.S. movers consider a move long distance if it exceeds a specific number of miles, typically 100 to 400. Most moves that require traveling over state lines are considered long-distance moves.
If you’re planning a move, talk with your mover about what it considers a long-distance move and any other fees associated with a move of more than 100 miles.
- Can you hire movers to move one item?
- Moving a large item like a piano or hot tub requires specialized services and extra caution, especially if there are stairs or tight hallways involved. Most movers can relocate delicate or bulky items for a fee. They also have the materials to pack and transport bulky or fragile items safely. If you’re hiring a mover to transport an expensive item, make sure your mover has insurance and is properly vetted.
- Can you hire movers without a truck?
- Yes, most movers have hourly services that don’t include a moving truck. There are a few situations where you might want to hire movers without a truck:
- You need help packing. If you’re moving delicate or fragile items that require special caution, consider hiring a professional to help you properly pack your valuables.
- You need help loading or unloading. Maybe packing was a breeze, but loading and unloading are intimidating. You can hire movers by the hour to help you load and unload your possessions.
- What won't movers move?
- Check with your mover for a specific list, but usually, movers won’t transport:
- Perishable items
- Hazardous materials
While movers do handle items that can’t be replaced, such as valuable documents or personal and sentimental items, it may be best to pack those and keep them with you to prevent them from being lost or damaged.
Depending on where you live, your mover might have specific regulations or guidelines to follow. Let the company know about any special items you need to transport to see if its employees can move them.
- Can you negotiate with moving companies?
- Most moving companies give you an estimate you can use to negotiate prices with other movers. Find out the average cost to move a home the size of yours and compare features offered by different companies. Don’t be afraid to negotiate lower prices for additional fees and ask about available discounts or promotions.
Once you settle on a moving company, get a written contract that includes all costs.
- Will movers hold your stuff overnight?
- Many moving companies offer storage options. If your closing dates and moving dates don’t coincide or you run into unforeseen circumstances, ask your mover about storage solutions. Most movers can either keep your items in the moving truck or transfer them to a storage unit.
Who are the best movers near me?
We compared local moving companies across the United States to help you find trusted movers in your city. Make sure to read local company moving reviews and see what other people near you have experienced. Your first interaction with any local moving company is when you request a quote. If the moving representative is unhelpful or pushy at this time, it’s often best to find another company.
- Colorado Springs
- Corpus Christi
- Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Myers
- Green Bay
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Oklahoma City
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- Santa Barbara
- West Palm Beach
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Moving company reviews
American Van Lines moves customers across the country and across the world. A 50% deposit and 3,000-pound minimum are standard to reserve a move. A team of moving specialists helps plan and coordinate moves.
Long Distance Relocation Services has over 17 years of experience in moving individuals, families and employees all over the country. The company's employees have experience in a variety of services that are helpful for interstate moves.
Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance residential moves and corporate moves. A deposit is required to secure a move. Special packing options and discounts are available.
- Types of moves: Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance and cross-country moves. The company also helps with corporate relocations.
- Cost: The company provides quotes in minutes. It also has a mobile app to help with moving estimates. Deposits are close to 50% of the total moving price. A one-bedroom interstate move costs around $2,500.
- Service areas: Colonial Van Lines works throughout the entire United States, so it can find a moving provider no matter where a customer lives or where they are moving.
- Additional services: Customers can choose from single-item packs, kitchen packs and full packs. Colonial Van Lines has discounted packages for moving supplies, including boxes, packing material and tape. Storage options are also available.
- Discounted moving supplies: The company offers customers discounted packages of moving supplies, including boxes, packing material and tape, to make their move more affordable and convenient.
FlatRate Moving specializes in local New York City moves and moves from NYC to elsewhere in the country. Specialists work with you to detail your inventory and create a plan for your move.
U-Pack is billed as a “you pack, we drive” company. You fill the moving containers and the company hauls them for you. Trailers are also available for bigger moves.
- Types of moves: U-Pack specializes in interstate moves. The company drops off a ReloCube at your home and allows three business days for loading before its drivers pick up the container and store it at an on-site facility. ReloCubes are 6 feet by 7 feet by 8 feet.
- Cost: The average cost of a long-distance move using U-Pack’s containers is about $2,250. Pricing varies based on the number of cubes and length of storage needed.
- Service areas: U-Pack can help with moves in 98% of U.S. cities across all 50 states. It also serves Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico.
- Additional services: If you need more space than a ReloCube offers, you can opt to use a trailer. You’ll only be billed for the space you use, but there is a 5-foot minimum.
This moving company offers local moves within Florida. It uses its original Express Pack system for convenient, safer moving.
Madison Van Lines handles several types of moves, including local, long-distance, corporate and international. Around 90% of the companies’ moves are domestic. It offers storage and auto transport.
Bold Moving and Storage specializes in long-distance moves. Customers can choose from three packages to determine how involved they want the moving company to be. Moves are limited to the DMV (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) area.
- Types of moves: The company offers long-distance moves. Sign up for either Bold Standard, Bold Premium or Bold Luxury. Bold Luxury includes packing services, 30 days of free storage, white-glove service, unpacking services, box removal and cleaning services.
- Cost: Long-distance moves can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $3,000 or more, but the company has a price guarantee policy that states it goes a step further than just matching a quote from a reputable company — Bold beats it by $500.
- Service areas: Bold offers moves out of the DMV to the rest of the country.
- Additional services: The company offers packing and unpacking services. Bold also offers storage services, so if the dates of your move don’t coincide perfectly, you can store your belongings in climate-controlled storage. Cleaning services are also available.
The company specializes in corporate relocations and long-distance residential moves for military personnel and seniors. It also offers furniture assembly and protection.
- Types of moves: In addition to long-distance and corporate moves, 24/7 Logistic Services specializes in military moves and moves for seniors, whether to a new house or a care center. Door-to-door relocation options mean your belongings won’t sit in storage or at another facility and are delivered straight to your door.
- Cost: Prices for long-distance moves vary greatly, but you can expect such a move to cost anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000.
- Service areas: 24/7 Logistic Services can move you anywhere in the U.S.
- Additional services: GPS tracking lets you know where your belongings are and how long it will be until they make their way to their new home. Storage services are also available.
This moving company offers national moving options. Packing services and temporary storage are also available. The company employs bilingual representatives and provides 24/7 customer service.
- Types of moves: The company handles long-distance, auto, freight, and luxury moves. You work with a dedicated coordinator for the duration of your move.
- Cost: A cross-country move with Safebound Moving & Storage costs around $2,500, but prices vary based on distance, time of year and weight of items moved.
- Service areas: Safebound Storage & Moving serves most states and Puerto Rico.
- Additional services: Auto shipping is available to all 50 states. If you need short- or long-term storage, Safebound Moving & Storage can provide you with a container to pack your items at your own pace.
The company offers packing, unpacking, loading and transporting services. Each customer works with a dedicated moving consultant to ensure a smooth relocation process. Local moves are available within Seattle and Denver, and the company handles long-distance moves that originate from these cities.
Empire Moving Group offers long-distance moving options for homes and businesses. The company helps with packing and unpacking, and it has auto transport services.
- Types of moves: Empire Moving Group handles long-distance, residential and commercial moves.
- Cost: Moving costs vary based on several factors, but you can expect an interstate move with Empire Moving Group to cost around $3,500.
- Service areas: Empire Moving Group’s services are available across the country.
- Additional services: The company offers packing and unpacking services as well as furniture disassembly and assembly. Empire Moving Group can provide boxes, bubble wrap and blankets or pads for fragile items. You can also ship your car with Empire Moving Group.
Purple Heart Moving Group is located in South Florida. It helps with long-distance moves, military moves, business relocations, packing and storage. The company specializes in military moves and last-minute moves.
We-Pack Moving is a federally licensed moving broker, meaning it manages a network of nationwide agents that are licensed to transport household goods across the country. The company has been in business for over 10 years and is headquartered in West Palm Beach, Fla.
This company performs long-distance and local moving services for residential and commercial moves. It also offers car transport and storage services. They can ship items to anywhere in the world to make your move even easier.
The company name stands for Portable On Demand Storage. You simply choose the size container you need and have it shipped to you. Then you load the container, and the company either stores it in one of its facilities or ships the container wherever you need it to go.
This moving company carrier has about 50 trucks and handles local and long-distance moves. It also has experience with international and commercial moves.
Open Road Moving and Storage offers local and long-distance moving services along with packing services and auto transport. It is a licensed and insured carrier in Florida and a licensed broker that can facilitate state-to-state moves using its network of moving companies.
Mover Dudes is headquartered in Virginia and provides long-distance moves and local moves in the area. The company handles commercial property moves and residential moves.
This moving company is located in South Florida but services almost the entire country. It provides local moves, long-distance moves, international moves and military moves. Short- or long-term storage is also available.
This company specializes in international moves. It also offers long-distance moves, corporate relocations and military moves. Auto shipping is available to those who need to move a car.
The company handles local, long-distance and international moves. It works with residential and commercial clients. It also offers student housing moves.
National Moving Group provides a variety of moves: residential or commercial, state-to-state and coast-to-coast. It offers additional services, including storage, auto transport and packing. Customer service is available 24/7.
This company focuses on full-service, long-distance moves. Full-service moves include packing, loading and unloading your valuables. Moving along the East Coast takes seven to 14 business days, while East Coast to West Coast moves take 14 to 21 business days.
United Van Lines is a moving broker with hundreds of connections across the country and the globe. It’s available for international, long-distance and local moves for residential homes and businesses or corporations.
Two Men and a Truck is a moving company with franchise locations worldwide. It handles local, long-distance and coast-to-coast moves and has affordable rates when compared to other moving companies.
Neighbors Moving and Storage is a family-owned business with over 60 years of experience. It covers a variety of locations, including cities in Florida and Colorado.
Adept Moving Company handles moves within the Greater Los Angeles area. Every truck is equipped with wardrobe boxes, straps, blankets, four-wheel dollies and two-wheel dollies. Relocation specialists help you plan the logistics of your move.
North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and long-distance residential moves. It also offers local and international moves and moves for military families. Rough quote ranges are available on the website.
American International Moving specializes in city-to-city relocation for residential, commercial and industrial clients. International moves are also available. The company can respond to urgent moving needs within 48 hours.
- Types of moves: The company offers office, industrial and residential moves. Moves are available after hours for commercial and industrial moves to help limit disruption. It also handles international moves.
- Cost: A cross-country move costs anywhere from $2,500 to $6,000. It’s best to contact American International Moving directly to get a more precise estimate.
- Service areas: Moving and automobile shipping is available within the continental U.S. The company specializes in intrastate moves in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Tennessee.
- Additional services: Packing services include specially designed containers, shock-absorbent materials, wardrobe cartons, plastic covers and padding to protect customers’ belongings. Customers can also use the company’s secure facilities for full or partial storage of household and commercial goods before, during and after a move.
The company offers local and long-distance moves. Labor-only moves, meaning movers come just to help you load and unload, are also an option. Services are available in 55 major U.S. cities. The company’s adjustable scheduling allows you to change your plans to accommodate next-day moves, last-minute changes and inclement weather.
- Types of moves: The company’s trucks come with basic moving equipment, including dollies, blankets and straps. For long-distance moves, a concierge team builds a customized plan and schedules employees to help at your starting point and destination. The company uses professional drivers to transport your belongings in a 26-foot truck.
- Cost: The typical Bellhops rate is $40 per mover per hour. After a two-hour minimum, Bellhops charges in 15-minute increments based on its hourly rate.
- Service areas: Bellhops serves 55 major cities across 27 states, including New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, Las Vegas, Miami, Nashville and Washington, D.C.
- Additional services: Bellhops offers highly specialized service. On the night before your move, you receive an email that includes a photograph of each bellhop. You can review the employees’ service and tip them online after the move is complete.
This moving company is known for bringing coffee on the day of your move. Local, office and senior moves are available. The company covers your belongings with storage pads or shrink wrap and uses pads to protect hardwood and tile floors. Customers can add full carpet shielding for an additional cost.
- Types of moves: The company handles local and office moves. It also specializes in senior moves. You Move Me provides free on-site estimates and home inspections for relocating seniors. If you’re moving into a senior community, You Move Me works directly with the community’s staff.
- Cost: We estimate the cost of the average local move with You Move Me to cost around $1,100.
- Service areas: You Move Me serves cities in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wisconsin. The company also has locations in British Columbia and Ontario, Canada.
- Additional services: The company offers basic loading and unloading services with do-it-yourself packing. Customers can choose from three add-on options: complete packing services with supplies and optional unpacking, specialty kitchen packing or customized packing that allows you to choose what movers pack. The company also moves specialty items like pianos.
Moving Nation specializes in long-distance moves, commercial and corporate relocations and military moves. Choose from a variety of packing options to fit your needs. Short- and long-term storage are available.
- Types of moves: Moving Nation mostly handles long-distance moves, but it also performs commercial, military and corporate moves. You can opt for full-service packing, specialty packing for fragile items or DIY packing.
- Cost: The company’s prices vary based on several factors, including distance traveled, time of year and amount of household items, but you can expect a two-bedroom move from Atlanta to Los Angeles to cost between $2,500 and $7,000.
- Service areas: Although Moving Nation operates across the country, service may not be available in Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.
- Additional services: The company offers packing options on all moves. Storage is also available for those who need it. Long-term storage items are pad-wrapped in a climate-controlled storage vault.
OD Household Services drops off storage containers that you pack yourself. You can guarantee a two-hour delivery window for $150. The company provides a box dolly with each trailer to move boxes and small pieces of furniture.
- Types of moves: The company specializes in cross-country moves. OD says the best value can be found in moves of 300 miles or more.
- Cost: The estimated cost for a two-bedroom coast-to-coast move is around $3,500, but costs vary greatly depending on seasonality, amount of items and urgency. You pay for the space you use, and no deposit is required for moves in the contiguous U.S.
- Service areas: If OD Household Services doesn’t serve your area, it can make special arrangements if you call the company directly. This may require bringing your items to the nearest corporate facility for transport.
- Additional services: OD makes it easy for you with a moving checklist and loading/unloading tariff information.
Offers DIY packing moves nationwide. The company delivers a trailer to your home and gives you three days to load it. Its employees then transport it and deliver it to your new home. You have three days to unload.
- Types of moves: The company handles local moves, long-distance moves, corporate relocation and military moves.
- Cost: Our estimate for moving a two-bedroom home across the country is $4,500, but your moving costs will vary based on your origin and destination, the time of year and amount of time you book in advance. Military personnel receive a $100 discount off military moves with a total cost of $600 or more.
- Service areas: Estes SureMove serves the entire continental U.S.
- Additional services: The Estes SureMove center nearest your new home provides short-term storage of your moving trailer for $20 a day.
This Hawaii-based mover offers residential and business moves into, within and from the Hawaiian islands. The company is home to the only approved Central Examination Station (CES) in Hawaii. The station is located within minutes of all ocean terminals, the Honolulu International Airport and the State of Hawaii Foreign Trade Zone and provides services that include container drayage and storage.
- Types of moves: The company handles local moves and moves to and from Hawaii. Island Movers performs personal and business moves. The company uses portable storage units that are 8 feet long, 5 feet wide and 7 feet high and hold up to 2,000 pounds. After you finish loading the unit, Island Movers employees pick it up and store it or deliver it to your chosen location. Larger on-site units that stay at your location hold up to 5,000 pounds.
- Cost: Estimates for home moves on the same island are based on the time required to complete the move. Moves to different islands use a local barge service to transport shipping containers and are typically priced based on weight. Exact quotes are available if you contact Island Movers, but local moves within Hawaii typically cost between $160 and $200 an hour.
- Service areas: Moves are available within, to and from Hawaii. This includes to and from the U.S. mainland and international locations.
- Additional services: Storage options are available for those who need it. The company has secure warehouse space available at locations on Oahu and Maui. It also provides 20- or 40-foot steel ocean containers and sells office trailers. Packing services are also an option.
Wheaton World Wide Moving handles residential, business and corporate, government and military moves locally or abroad. The company takes care of packing, transportation, unpacking and any necessary storage. It uses air-ride trailers equipped with protective pads, straps, decking materials, foam cushioning, plastic moldings and walk boards to protect furniture, fixtures, musical equipment, appliances, pool tables and automobiles.
- Types of moves: The company provides household, corporation/commercial, government/military, international and specialty moves. Priority relocation service is available for shipments that weigh less than 6,000 pounds. Wheaton has experience packing fragile items like mirrors and picture frames.
- Cost: We estimate a two-bedroom move with Wheaton in the summertime from the East Coast to the Midwest should cost between $3,500 and $4,500, not including any packing costs. You can get a rough quote from the company’s website and a firm quote by speaking to a representative.
- Service areas: Wheaton moving services are available across the U.S. and the world.
- Additional services: Wheaton World Wide Moving offers storage-in-transit for up to 180 days and long-term storage services for up to several years. The company also provides packing supplies, including cartons, wardrobe boxes, protective wraps, packing tape and marking pens.
Best Interstate Moving and Storage offers residential and commercial moves across state lines. Corporate relocations are another specialty. The company offers packing and unpacking, custom crating, temporary storage and piano transport. It sells boxes, moving supplies, moving insurance and broadband services for your new home or office.
- Types of moves: The company handles residential and business moves. You can opt for full packing services or partial packing services for selected items, such as fragile glassware, sentimental items and other valuables.
- Cost: Best Interstate has a price-match program. A down payment of 33% is required to reserve the move. Another third of the payment is due upon pickup, and the remainder must be paid upon delivery.
- Service areas: The company offers service in 44 states. It doesn’t offer moves in Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska and North Dakota.
- Additional services: BIMS offers temporary storage services near the point of origin until you’re ready to move. It also has storage facilities near the points of destination until your new home is ready for occupancy. With the Best Friends Program, you can receive a $200 Amazon gift card if someone you refer books a move with BIMS.
Suddath Relocation Systems has 30 U.S. locations and offers local, long-distance and international moving services. The company has partnered with United Van Lines — a consortium of independently owned agents located in all states — to have a large reach across the country. Suddath works with an agent to complete the second half of the move, complete with a local crew to bring your belongings to your new home or office.
- Types of moves: The company handles local, long-distance and international moves. This includes residential, commercial, corporate, employee relocation and military moving services.
- Cost: We estimate an interstate move with Suddath should cost between $4,500 and $5,000. Call Suddath for a more precise estimate based on your situation.
- Service areas: Suddath has locations across the country for local and interstate moves. International moves are available to dozens of countries.
- Additional services: Packing and unpacking services are available from Suddath. You can also take advantage of short- and long-term storage. The company offers decluttering services to remove some hassle from the moving process. Suddath’s Tracker, move-status monitoring software, provides computer-generated move labels and signage with codes for inventory tracking, customizable move compliance checklist, shipment tracking and a real-time customer dashboard to track move progress.
Covan is a moving company with experience in household moves, corporate relocation, commercial moves, government and military moves and international moves. Employees attend courses on how to pack possessions safely and efficiently. Its trucks have air-cushioned equipment. The company is a member of the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA).
- Types of moves: The company handles residential, commercial, government and military moves across the U.S. as well as international moves.
- Cost: The average cost to move from New York City to Miami is about $3,000. Your quote will vary on factors including distance, seasonality and weight of possessions.
- Service areas: Covan’s services are available in the West, Midwest, South, Mid-Atlantic and Pacific regions of the U.S. The company also performs international moves.
- Additional services: You can request full or partial packing and unpacking services and customized crating for large or delicate items. The company also has storage options.
Lawrence Companies is an employee-owned moving company with residential and commercial relocation expertise. The company is a founding member of United Van Lines and has access to a large fleet of trucks that lets them serve customers almost anywhere in the world.
- Types of moves: The company handles residential and commercial moves. Its small moves container program, Snapmoves, is a faster way to move. It offers flexible moving dates, loading and unloading services, cost-effective storage and other services. For corporate relocations, Lawrence provides programs to simplify employee transfers, including expense management, home marketing, home sale programs, move management, temporary living spaces and global relocation.
- Cost: Lawrence has a moving calculator on its website so you can receive a rough estimate. A move from the Midwest to the East Coast in June with 5,400 pounds of household items costs around $4,600.
- Service areas: Lawrence is based in Virginia but can move you across the United States.
- Additional services: The company offers storage and packing services. Specialty services include packing and unpacking, heavy furniture disassembly and reassembly, blanket wrapping, custom crating and large-item moving. Smartphone surveys are available if an in-home survey is inconvenient.
This moving company specializes in long-distance moves and is a member of the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA). The company’s guaranteed price agreement ensures the total price doesn’t exceed your estimate as long as the weight of your shipment and other conditions don’t change.
- Types of moves: The company handles long-distance and household moving as well as corporate relocation.
- Cost: Moving services can cost as little as $1,000, but the final price depends on the distance of your move, the weight of your belongings and the options included in the moving package. A cross-country move from Seattle to Miami with 5,200 pounds of household possessions and partial packing services in the month of June averages $6,600.
- Service areas: Red Ball performs moves throughout the country.
- Additional services: The company’s website has a wealth of resources to help plan your move if you’re relocating to specific popular cities.
Budd Van Lines performs residential moves and corporate relocations. In-home estimates are available through a video tour or by visiting in person.
- Types of moves: The company specializes in corporate relocations but also offers personal moves. Standard moving services include packing, loading, unloading, unpacking and storage services.
- Cost: You can request a quote from Budd Van Lines’ website. Keep in mind that the average local residential move costs about $2,200. An average long-distance move costs from $4,000 to $5,000.
- Service areas: Moving services are available to the 48 contiguous states.
- Additional services: The company designed the Eco-Crate system, which utilizes reusable corrugated cardboard crates to help customers save on packing costs. The company’s status tracking application lets you follow your move in real time.
Joyce Van Lines offers local, interstate and international moves. Full-service moving options available, and the company also performs corporate and military moves. Customer service is available 24/7 to assist you throughout the moving process. The company hauls every customer’s possessions and does not broker jobs for other companies.
- Types of moves: The company handles local, interstate and international moves, including corporate and military relocations. Joyce Van Lines provides on-site inspections for local and interstate moves and virtual inspections for international moves.
- Cost: To reserve a move, you must pay a $100 deposit. You can expect a move from the West Coast to the East Coast to cost anywhere from $3,000 to $9,000.
- Service areas: Joyce Van Lines has licensed movers in the lower 48 states.
- Additional services: Storage is available if needed. Joyce Van Lines also follows home protection procedures, meaning vulnerable parts of your home are covered to protect them from damage when moving your items into their new home.
Gentle Giant is a local and long-distance moving company. A quote estimator on the company’s website gives you a rough estimate with 75% accuracy for the cost of your move.
- Types of moves: The company offers local and long-distance moves, but only in select states.
- Cost: Gentle Giant has a rough quote calculator on its website. You can expect a two-bedroom move from New York to California in peak summer season with a flexible moving date to cost between $7,500 and $11,500.
- Service areas: Gentle Giant is available in California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington and Washington, D.C.
- Additional services: Gentle Giant also offers packing and unpacking, crane and specialty moving, moving box delivery and storage. The company sells a variety of moving boxes and packing supplies with free delivery. Gentle Giant gives a full refund for unused boxes but charges a $25 fee to pick them up.
Compare Top Moving Company Reviews
Read 142 Reviews
Offers long-distance residential or corporate moving services, including furniture placement, packing materials and one free flight of stairs at site of origin and destination. Includes one month free storage.
|Molloy Brothers Moving|
Read 114 Reviews
Handles moving and packing services, pods, auto transport and storage for residential, commercial and employee relocation locally, nationwide and internationally. Offers settle-in, white glove and pack-out services.
Read 53 Reviews
Specializes in interstate moves for residential and commercial customers. Handles moves of all sizes. Packing services available.
|Solomon & Sons Relocation Services|
Read 103 Reviews
Offers residential and commercial services for local, long distance and international moves plus storage. Charges around $3,400 for a full-service, one-bedroom, long-distance move. Requires a 33% refundable deposit.
Read 59 Reviews
Performs local, long-distance and international relocation. Offers auto shipping and storage services. Charges around $3,800 to move a small home from Los Angeles to Australia.
|Interstate Moving & Relocation Group|
Read 157 Reviews
Offers local, long distance and international relocation services for residential and commercial moves. A one-bedroom, cross-country move starts around $1,800 with 33% deposit.
|Xtreme Movers||Read 73 Reviews|
Offers full-service, long-distance moves. Charges from $2,500 to $6,00 for cross-country moves. Long- and short-term storage available. Performs packing services, plus loading and unloading. Available in continental U.S.
|International Van Lines|
Read 500 Reviews
Offers local, long-distance, international, residential and commercial moves, auto shipping, packing services and more. Estimates a cost of $4,200 for a Chicago-to-Germany move with a 2,000-cubic-feet container.
|Adept Moving & Storage|
Read 60 Reviews
Offers residential, commercial, office and labor-only moving. Moves within Greater Los Angeles and as far as San Diego and Santa Barbara. Charges between $750 and $2,000 for a one-bedroom Los Angeles to San Diego move.
|National Moving Group|
Read 153 Reviews
Offers residential and commercial moving assistance for state-to-state and cross-country relocation as well as auto transport and packing services. Charges around $4,000 for interstate moves with 7,000 pounds of items.
|Neighbors Moving & Storage|
Read 87 Reviews
Offers local and long-distance residential and corporate moves, storage and packing options. Provides moving checklists and printable discount coupons on the company’s website.
Read 178 Reviews
Performs long-distance, international, residential, commercial and student housing moves. Offers storage options and art/piano moving. Charges around $4,900 for a California to London move with 2,000 cubic feet of items.
Read 98 Reviews
Offers month-to-month storage. Provides packing materials and pick-up and delivery services in California, New York, New Jersey, Washington and Illinois. Creates a photo inventory of all items. Averages about $250 a month.
|Madison Van Lines|
Read 21 Reviews
Offers local, long-distance, corporate and international moves. Charges around $6,230 for long-distance moves. Provides packing, unpacking and storage options. Performs local moves in Florida.
|Mile High Van Lines|
Read 38 Reviews
Offers local moves within Seattle and Denver and moves to or from these cities. Charges $170 an hour for three movers and a truck for local moves Charges from $1,500 to $5,000 for long-distance moves.
|Radius Moving and Storage|
Read 32 Reviews
Specializes in full-service moving services for long-distance private moves. Provides options for all stages of the move from packing services to storage. Charges based on move size and distance. Offers commercial moving.
Read 14 Reviews
Handles local NYC moves and cross-country moves. Charges between $2,750 and $8,000 for New York to Austin moves, depending on time of year and size of apartment. Has a moving app. Offers packing, crating and cleaning services.
|Mover Dudes||Read 80 Reviews|
Offers local, long-distance and cross-country moves. Charges an average of $3,900 for long-distance moves. Performs local moves in the Virginia area. Operates climate-controlled storage facilities.
|United Movers Group||Read 33 Reviews|
Offers full-service moving services for moves across town or across the country. Ships to most international destinations. Charges a flat fee or hourly rate. Provides climate-controlled storage.
Read 2,748 Reviews
Provides residential and commercial moving and storage solutions. Charges around $1,500 to move a 7-foot-by-8-foot container that fits one and a half rooms cross-country. Offers different container sizes.
Read 31 Reviews
Offers full service local and long-distance residential and office moves. Provides secure, air-controlled storage options within the Bergen County, New Jersey area. Gives senior discounts. Coordinates auto/motorcycle shipping.
|Purple Heart Moving Group||Read 307 Reviews|
Offers transport and logistics for long-distance residential, commercial, corporate and military moves, plus storage and packaging. Requires a 33% deposit. Charges around $2,000 for a long-distance, one-bedroom move.
|Condor Moving Services|
Read 56 Reviews
Offers local, long-distance and corporate moving services as well as auto transport, short- and long-term storage, full or partial packing, custom crating and shuttle services. Operates offices in eight Texas cities.
|Two Men And a Truck|
Read 284 Reviews
Offers everything from small local moves to full-service, cross-country moves. Prices are set by individual franchise locations, but most charge hourly rates with one- or two-hour minimums. Charges between $80 and $100 an hour.
Read 37 Reviews
Offers residential and commercial moving assistance for local, long distance and international moves as well as storage and auto shipping. Charges between $2,000 and $6,000 to move from New York to Los Angeles.
|Allied Van Lines|
Read 371 Reviews
Provides local, interstate and international moving services for all home sizes. Offers basic or full-service moving packages. Provides storage options. Charges based on weight of items and miles traveled.
|Penske Truck Rental|
Read 192 Reviews
Rents moving trucks that are 12- to 26-feet long. Sells packing materials. Offers free unlimited mileage on one-way truck rentals. Gives discounts for AAA members and other programs. Minimum rental periods apply.
|Continental Van Lines|
Read 39 Reviews
Offers full-service residential moving assistance nationwide, throughout Alaska and internationally by partnering with other moving companies. Provides short-term, long-term or in-transit storage in Washington and Alaska.
Read 166 Reviews
Provides moving services for all types of households and moves. Performs local moves, long-distance moves and international moves as well as military and government moves. Add-on packages start at $395.
|All My Sons Moving & Storage|
Read 950 Reviews
Offers local and long-distance moving, packing/unpacking services, careful transport of antiques, art and pianos and climate-controlled storage. Charges by the hour. Prices vary by location.
Read 1,112 Reviews
Offers container shipping, storage, moving tools, packing supplies and hitches. Rents vehicles ranging from pickup trucks to 26-foot trucks. Operates locations in the U.S. and Canada. Hourly fee and per-mile fees vary.
|Bekins Van Lines|
Read 239 Reviews
Handles local, long-distance, international and specialized moves for residential, corporate, government and military relocation. Offers packing, storage and shipping. Charges around $1,900 for a long-distance, one-bedroom move.
|Atlas Van Lines|
Read 165 Reviews
Performs local, long-distance and interstate moves as well as moves to Canada. Charges based on the weight of items being moved and the overall distance traveled. Offers moving services for vehicles and specialty items.
|United Van Lines|
Read 255 Reviews
Offers local and long-distance services for residential, corporate and military relocation. Uses a virtual estimator system to approximate cost. Charges around $2,250 for local moves and $4,500 for long-distance moves.
|Nationwide Relocation Services|
Read 208 Reviews
Offers residential long-distance moving and corporate relocation services as well as auto transport, storage and packing options. Charges around $4,500 for a full-service cross-country move for a one-bedroom home.
|The Apt Movers|
Read 35 Reviews
Offers residential moving services in Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Phoenix, Tampa, Irving and surrounding areas. Charges around $1,900 for a one-bedroom move from Houston to Dallas with two movers and one truck for 11 hours.
|Father & Son Moving|
Read 191 Reviews
Performs local and long-distance moves for residential and commercial relocation. Provides piano, art and antique care. Handles overseas shipping. Offers last-minute moving in Connecticut.
|Best Price Moving and Storage|
Read 31 Reviews
Offers full-service residential, commercial and corporate interstate moving assistance from starting points in several cities in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois.
|North American Van Lines|
Read 282 Reviews
Partners with independent moving companies across the country for local, long-distance and international moves. Sells packing supplies and tools. Charges from $4,500 to $5,000 for a Midwest to East Coast move in the summer.
|Budget Truck Rental||Read 787 Reviews|
Offers a variety of moving vans and trucks for local moves as well as moves across the country. Rents moving trucks starting at 12 feet long for $19.99 per day for local moves plus $0.99 per mile. Transports vehicles.
Offers local, long-distance, international and commercial moving services. Local moves cost $150 to $900. Interstates moves cost $1,000 to $4,000. Storage services, auto transport and specialty packing services available.
|U-Pack||Read Author Review|
Provides moving containers that you fill and they move. Specializes in interstate moves to all 50 states. Charges an average of $2,250 for long-distance moves. ReloCubes are 6 feet by 7 feet by 8 feet.
|Arpin International Group||Read Author Review|
Specializes in international moves to Australia, China, Germany, India, Ireland, Middle East, Singapore, United Kingdom and United States. Charges several thousand dollars for international moves.
|American International Moving||Read Author Review|
Offers full-service interstate, in-state and international relocation. Provides packing and storage options for home, office and industrial moves. Charges between $2,500 and $6,000 for cross-country moves.
|American Red Ball||Read Author Review|
Specializes in long-distance moving. Handles residential, corporate, commercial and military moves. Charges an average of $6,600 for a two-bedroom move from Seattle to Miami with partial packing in June.
|Bellhops||Read Author Review|
Serving select cities in 27 states with local and long-distance moves. Provides free estimates and straightforward pricing on all services. Charges an average of $550 for a local two-bedroom move.
|Best Interstate Moving and Storage||Read Author Review|
Performs residential and commercial interstate moves and corporate relocations. Requires a 33% down payment. Provides temporary storage and a price-match program. Offers piano transport, packing services and moving supplies.
|Budd Van Lines||Read Author Review|
Offers services for residential and corporate relocations. Uses same crew to handle your possessions for the entire move. Charges between $4,000 and $5,000 for average long-distance moves. Utilizes Eco-Crate system.
|Covan World-Wide Moving||Read Author Review|
Performs residential, corporate, commercial, international, government and military moves. Charges around $3,000 for a New York City to Miami move. Offers full or partial packing. Provides storage options.
|Estes SureMove||Read Author Review|
Focuses on national do-it-yourself moves. Delivers a trailer to your residence and gives you three days to load and three days to unload at your destination. Charges around $4,500 to move a two-bedroom apartment cross-country.
|Gentle Giant||Read Author Review|
Offers local and long-distance moves. Charges between $7,500 and $11,500 to move a two-bedroom home from New York to California in summer. Handles packing, unpacking and specialty moves. Sells packing supplies.
|Island Movers||Read Author Review|
Specializes in moves to, from and within the Hawaiian islands. Charges between $160 and $200 hourly for local moves within Hawaii. Offers storage options and packing services.
|Joyce Van Lines||Read Author Review|
Offers local, interstate and international full-service moving and storage services in 48 states. Charges between $3,000 and $9,000 for West Coast to East Coast moves. Requires a $100 deposit to secure a move.
|Lawrence Companies||Read Author Review|
Provides residential and commercial relocation across the U.S. Performs in-home estimates via smartphone. Charges around $4,600 for moves from Midwest to East Coast. Offers storage and packing.
|Old Dominion Move||Read Author Review|
Specializes in cross-country moves. Allows you to pack, load and pay for only the space you use. Provides travel time and price estimates. Charges around $3,500 to move a two-bedroom home coast to coast within a week.
|Suddath Relocation Systems||Read Author Review|
Handles local, long-distance, international, corporate and military moves. Offers packing and unpacking, short- and long-term storage and decluttering services. Charges an average of $4,000 to $5,000 for interstate moves.
|Wheaton World Wide Moving||Read Author Review|
Offers household, commercial, military, international and specialty moves. Charges between $3,500 and $4,500 for an East Coast to Midwest move. Equips air-ride trailers with protective pads, straps and foam cushioning.
|You Move Me||Read Author Review|
Specializes in local and office moves. Charges an average of $1,100 for local moves. Provides basic loading services with do-it-yourself packing, kitchen packing, specialty packing or full packing. Performs senior moves.
|Long Distance Relocation Services|
Read 358 Reviews
|Out Of Business|
Offers basic and full moving services for residential, commercial, local and interstate moves. Requires a no-risk 25% deposit. Promises to beat any verified competitor's rates by 10%.
|Open Road Moving & Storage|
Read 51 Reviews
|Out Of Business|
Licensed and insured carrier and licensed broker. Arranges interstate moves through a network of moving companies. Offers packing and auto transport services.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.