Compare Reviews for Moving Companies
Moving companies help customers move their belongings. They have the capability to plan the move, pack and unpack items and ensure that the client safely receives all of their belongings, even offering insurance in the event of damage or loss.
Many moving companies offer packing materials necessary such as cardboard boxes and bubble wrap. Companies can specialize in moving art pieces or large musical instruments, and international moving companies can assist consumers planning to move overseas.
Top 20 Moving Companies Best For You
|Read 1326 Reviews|
American Van Lines is a moving company that has been in operation since 1995. The company is licensed, insured and registered with the Department of Transportation, and it offers full-service moves.
|Read 368 Reviews|
Colonial Van Lines bases their success on values of discipline, reliability and the hard work of their employees. This family owned company assists with long distance moves in the lower 48 states, and moves for military families.
|Read 296 Reviews|
Long Distance Van Lines is a company that is based in Ellicott, Maryland, and it offers businesses and homeowners interstate moves. The company has been in business for more than 17 years and is known for its white-glove service.
|Read 248 Reviews|
International Van Lines is an A+ rated company and has been ranked as one of America's top 3 moving companies. IVL offers long-distance, international and local moving services through the continental U.S. and worldwide.
|Read 58 Reviews|
We-Pack Moving specializes in premium long distance, out of state moving services. Offering packing, assembly, storage and much more, they are known for their high quality of service and professionalism.
|Read 242 Reviews|
Moving Squad® of South Florida offers local and statewide moves, and packing and storage services in the Fort Lauderdale, Miami, West Palm Beach areas only.
|Read 1366 Reviews|
PODS is a moving and storage company that has been in operation since 1998. The company has several locations across the United States, allows you to move and store as long as your need, and does the driving for you.
|Read 137 Reviews|
North American Relocation has 51 years of combined experience in the moving industry and is one of the largest relocation brokers in the United States. Specializing in long distance, full service moves.
|Read 51 Reviews|
Fully insured and licensed in the states of New York & New Jersey, Xtreme Movers specializes in full-service moving, offering packing supplies, storage facilities and even antique specialists.
|Read 79 Reviews|
Molloy Brothers Moving is a Long Island-based moving company that was founded in 1946. The company has four locations from which it operates. These locations are Long Island, Queens, New York City and New Jersey.
|Read 41 Reviews|
Based in Los Angeles, California, Adept Moving & Storage offers full-service moving services and also has options for storage. The company sells packing materials and can provide its customers with assembly services.
|Read 151 Reviews|
Affordable Movers assigns each customer a relocation expert who then meets with the customer to evaluate moving needs. Customers can discuss costs, schedules and unique logistics; and plan for a hassle-free move.
|Read 84 Reviews|
Neighbors Moving & Storage is a moving company that offers both local and long-distance moving services. The company specializes in corporate relocation, and it also provides storage solutions for its customers.
|Read 146 Reviews|
National Moving Group, based in Boca Raton, Fla., offers long distance, commercial and residential moving and auto transport options. They also work as a broker with class A licensed and insured movers.
|Read 24 Reviews|
Established in 1992, United Movers Group specializes in local as well as long-distance moves. They offer climate controlled storage options and packing/crating services.
|Read 61 Reviews|
Exclusive Van Lines offers residential and commercial interstate moves as well as storage in transit services. Whether a local or long-distance move, you can trust Exclusive to safely pack and deliver your belongings.
|Read 139 Reviews|
Rolls Van Lines offers local moves, packing and storage services in the Baltimore, MD area.
|Read 21 Reviews|
Integrity Van Lines provides moving and relocation services for both residential and corporate customers. The company offers local and long distance moves as well as storage between moves.
|Read 13 Reviews|
J.M. Movers LLC is a company that has been working in the moving industry for more than 16 years. The company offers 4-hour moving specials, and it covers a 200-mile radius around the area of Cleveland, Ohio.
|Read 23 Reviews|
Founded in 1993, Prestige Worldwide Moving & Storage specializes in long distance moving, corporate relocations, secured storage and more. Prestige Worldwide Moving has discounts for senior citizens and military veterans
The ConsumerAffairs Research Team believes everyone deserves to make smart decisions. We aim to provide readers with the most up-to-date information available about today's consumer products and services.
What features matter most?
It is important to work with a moving company that provides excellent customer service and can respond to a client's needs quickly and efficiently.
- Accessibility: How easy is it to get in touch with someone at a moving company? Do they respond quickly to questions and concerns?
- Methods of contact: How many methods of contact do they offer? In case of emergency it is important to do business with a mover that has multiple ways of connection, like an office phone, a cell phone, and an email.
- In-person visits: Some moving companies have a brick and mortar office so you can visit and consult with the movers. These are perfect for customers that have a lot of questions and want to get information and detail from their movers. Other companies offer communication over the phone and online, which work best for consumers who want information fast and with convenience.
Moving companies offer a wide variety of pricing options depending on the services that you are looking for.
- Pricing levels: Some companies charge per box while others charge per weight, mileage, etc. Be sure to take their pricing structure into consideration to figure out which one is best for your move.
- Discounts: Look for companies that offer discounts for various reasons. Some reason are because you have used them in previous moves or you are extending them more time to accomplish the move.
- Moving materials: It's convenient when a moving company can also supply moving materials, such as packing boxes, tape, bubble wrap and more. Make sure they charge reasonable rates for these items.
Movers can use many different sizes of trucks in order to accomplish a move. Depending on the size and degree of your move, different trucks might appeal to you.
- Vans: Some movers use small vans to accomplish small moves or to move just a few specialized items. These are usually safe and less expensive.
- Mid-size trucks: Mid-size trucks can be great for handling residential and corporate moves, especially if the move is long-distance as they use less gas.
- Semi-truck: Semi-Trucks, while expensive, are sometimes the best option if you are moving a large volume of belongings across a large distance. Otherwise, gas expenses can really add up if multiple smaller trucks are being deployed. However, the chances of items being damaged can be greater in a large truck, because items can slide around.
Movers should have the licensing and insurance it needs to move you legally. You'll need background information on the company to make sure they are legitimate.
- Inspections and crashes: You can find out how many inspections or crashes a moving company has experienced. Try to work with a company that has an average of crashes that is less than the national average.
- FMCSA licensing & Insurance: A moving company should have an active authority status and should not be in an application-pending state.
- Insurance types: Movers are required to have bodily-insurance, property damage insurance and cargo insurance filed in amounts that cover the amount of your move.
Some moves will allow for a little flexibility.This is when you are able to have your belongings packed up and moved, then can wait up to a few weeks for their arrival. Others, such as large corporate moves, require quick delivery otherwise the company will risk losing money during the transition.
- Knowledgeability: The moving company should have expertise in the type of move you are making whether residential or commercial related.
- Personal interaction: Work with a company that provides in-home of in-office estimates and other personal touches that give you confidence in their dedication to your move.
- Resources: The company should offer you plenty of resources in your move, from packing to unloading to dealing with valuable items and insurance claims.
In the event that your belongings are damaged or go missing, every moving company should have a claims process in place.
- Staff: It's best to work with a company that will put you in touch with a dedicated staff member to help you with any issues that arise instead of calling a 1-800 number.
- Waiting time: It's best to find a company with a reputation for processing claims quickly so that you can get money for lost or damaged items right away.
- Warranties: Find out what the mover's basic coverage is and make sure to opt for the protections policies that will keep all of your valuables insured.
What are different types of moving companies?
Long-distance movers have the ability to move customers from any area of the country to the location of their choice. They will have different rates depending on how quickly the move needs to be handled and how many items are involved.
Some moving companies only operate within a certain local area. They often charge hourly or daily rates instead of a bulk charge, like many long-distance movers do.
Some moving companies specialize in moving entire businesses. They have the capacity to move a large amount of belongings and have fairly quick turnaround times in order to make sure the company is quickly back up and running. They also typically provide more packing material and organizational help, such as assembly and disassembly.
International moving companies
International moving companies can help individuals, families and corporations move their belongings overseas. They are usually well-versed in regular tasks, like packing and moving, as well as with dealing with customs and immigration issues.
Who's it for?
Corporations are large companies that need help moving their offices to different areas. They will typically require a number of trucks and a fairly fast turnaround time on the move so they can keep their business operations efficient and running.
Individuals that live alone who need to move their households to a different area of the country or locally will require moving trucks and possibly auto transport. It is also helpful if the moving company offers packing and unpacking services to help out the individual.
Families who just need to move locally or need to move nationally will require moving trucks and will potentially need help with packing. Typically, families will need larger trucks to accommodate the size of the family and their belongings.
Many military families have to make frequent moves around the country. These families will want to work with a company that they trust and use repeatedly. These customers may also need storage options in the event they have to temporarily move overseas.
American Van Lines is a local, commercial and long distance mover that is also a family-owned business. They are headquartered in Pompano Beach, FL, and can help with moving nationwide.
- Local moving: The company does a lot of local, residential and commercial moves. These moves are within short distances and the cost is affordable.
- Corporate: They have a team of moving specialists that help with corporate moves and are capable of moving entire companies.
- Military moving: American Van Lines understands the needs of military moves, which require comprehensive planning and strict deadlines.
- Visa and immigration services: American Van Lines can help customers obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and other paperwork.
- Storage: The company also offers storage facilities to help companies and families safely store their belongings while they are in the process of changing locations.
- Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.
International Van Lines began in 2007 and is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They are one of the most recognized international and national relocation companies in the country.
- Reputable: International Van Lines has a great reputation, with over 3,000 global partners around the world.
- Complete services: The company offers customers a variety of services, from packing items, delivering them, unpacking them and helping with international transitions.
- Auto transport: International also offers auto transport for those who need cars to be moved across the country or to foreign locations.
- International: It's one of the best selections for those who are moving internationally because of the level of experience and foreign partnerships available to customers.
- Corporate: They're also experienced with corporate moves.
- Best for: Corporations, individuals and military families.
Long Distance Van Lines has over 17 years of experience in moving individuals, families and employees all over the country. The company's employees have experience in a variety of services that are helpful for interstate moves.
- Full-service packing: The company offers full-service packing assistance, including white-glove, fragile-only packing and careful packing for valuable or specialty items.
- Different levels: It offers a variety of service levels, from very basic to full-moving services.
- Antique: The company performs a lot of specialty work with antiques and is able to ensure that valuables and precious goods can be transported with ease and safety.
- Protection: It offers protection plans guaranteeing the safety of your belongings, insuring them against loss and damage.
- Communication: Long Distance movers often have to be without their belongings for long periods of time while they are being hauled cross-country. Long Distance Van lines is easy to get ahold of and offers up-to-date information on the status of your move.
- Best for: Households, military families and individuals.
Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move.
- FMCSA authorized movers: The company only hires FMCSA movers to move customers' belongings, so they are sure to pick a qualified and credentialed company to handle customers' items.
- Fast estimates: Colonial Van Lines can provide customers with quotes for their move just minutes after speaking on the phone for the first time.
- Educational information: Colonial Van Lines provides easy-to-access educational information regarding rights, responsibilities, insurance and more via their website, making it an approachable resource for customers who are moving.
- Wide network: Colonial Van Lines works throughout the entire United States, so they can find a moving provider no matter where a customer lives or where they are moving.
- Discounted moving supplies: The company offers customers discounted packages of moving supplies, including boxes, packing material and tape, to make their move more affordable and convenient.
- Best for: Corporations, households, individuals and busy professionals.
Rolls Van Lines, LLC is a company that offers residential, commercial and governmental moving and storage services. Rolls Van Lines has several types of specialists working for its clients. This helps ensure that the company can provide the logistical and physical services needed to meet the needs of individuals, companies and government agencies.
Moving Squad is a south Florida moving and storage company that provides a wide range of services to families and companies. The company is fully licensed and insured to protect its clients and their belongings. It offers customized moving plans to help all of its clients find affordable options that match their budgets.
- Corporate relocation: Moving Squad has the equipment, trucks, and professional employees needed to move large amounts of heavy items typically used in modern office spaces.
- Local residential moving: Moving Squad uses quilt-pad wraps and professionally trained movers to give families the services needed to move into new homes.
- Storage services: Moving Squad has a climate controlled storage facility with 24/7 surveillance to keep items secure at all times.
- Packing services: Packing services from Moving Squad include all materials and blanket wraps that keep items safe, even during a hectic moving day.
- Free quotes: Moving Squad provides free, instant quotes to help potential clients choose moving services that fit into their budgets.
- Best for: Residents of counties in southern Florida, corporations based in Florida, people who want to store items in a safe environment, individuals who need same-day moving services, and companies that need long-term or short-term storage solutions.
Exclusive Van Lines is an interstate moving company that specializes in providing residential and commercial moves and storage in transit solutions. The company's highly trained staff is able to offer expert advice on the relocation process and up-to-the-minute information on the location of items in shipment, and can be contacted via phone, email or an online contact form. With years of experience in the moving industry, the company has the knowledge and resources to offer dependable and efficient basic to full-service interstate moves.
Affordable Movers & Storage Inc. provides moving and storage services for residential and commercial customers. In business for more than three decades, this family-owned company can meet both local and long-distance moving needs. Each move is carefully planned to ensure a smooth moving day within the mover's budget.
We-Pack Moving is a federally licensed moving broker, meaning they manage a network of nationwide agents that are licensed to transport household goods across the country. The company has been in business for over 10 years and is headquartered in West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Free quote: Interested consumers can visit the We-Pack website to request a free estimate for their move. They only need to enter their origin location and destination, move size and move date.
- Free storage: Those whose new residence will not be ready immediately can have their items stored for up to one month for free.
- Residential: We-Pack has services for those facing a long-distance move. They work with carriers across the country to offer customers competitive rates.
- Corporate: We-Pack Moving offers services for corporate moves and can help companies with their office relocation.
- DOT Number: We-Pack’s website clearly lists their Department of Transportation license number. Consumers can use this number to find information about the company’s safety record and other background information.
- Best for: Individuals, households and corporations.
Integrity Van Lines and Storage offers moving services for both local and long distance moves as well as corporate moves for businesses of all sizes. The company has offices in California, Georgia, New Jersey and Washington and serves customers across the United States.
PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) is a storage and moving service that was established in 1988. Consumers choose the size of a container they need, and PODS ships it to them. Consumers then load the container, and PODS either stores it in one of their facilities or ships it where consumers need it to go.
- Container sizes: PODS containers come in three sizes: 7-foot container, with approximately 385 cubic feet; 12-foot container, with approximately 689 cubic feet; and 16-foot container, with about 924 cubic feet.
- Moving or storage options: PODS offers both moving and storage services. This is ideal for people on the move who may not have worked out a permanent residence.
- Military discount: PODS offers a discount for moving military families. The Personally Procured Move (PPM) program takes special care of military service men and women and their families to help with moves.
- How-to guide: PODS offers video tutorials and online guides for storing furniture and belongings in a PODS container for maximum efficiency and safety.
- Moving supplies: PODS also sells moving supplies like boxes, blankets, lifting straps, tie-downs and more to give consumers a one-stop location for all their moving needs.
- Best for: PODS is best people looking for moving solutions that give them more control over where their belongings are shipped and how they are prepared for transportation.
First National Moving and Storage is a full service moving company that offers customized services for homeowners across the United States. They also offer corporate relocation and logistics for businesses, whether they are moving across town or across the country. With over 15 years of experience helping homeowners and businesses relocate, First National Moving and Storage will make sure your belongings are protected and arrive safely at your final destination.
Established in 1993, Prestige Worldwide Moving & Storage specializes in long-distance moves. They have main offices and warehouses in Ohio, NC, FL and NY, but they have moved customers to and from every state in the U.S. They also offer services for local moves, corporate relocations, storage and packing/crating.
National Moving Group is licensed as a moving company and a moving broker, which allows them to work with other moving companies to operate competitive pricing. They provide residential, commercial and inter-state moving services and automobile transportation.
Xtreme Movers is a licensed insurance company based in Passaic, N.J. They offer long distance moving, storage options, packing services and items and more. They also offer full-service moving.
North American Relocation offers consumers several services to help them through the entire moving process. They are headquartered in Boynton Beach, Florida, and can help homeowners move anywhere in the country.
- Packing: North American Relocation can take care of packing your belongings for you, ensuring they are safely packed to prevent breaks while they are in transit.
- Commercial shipping: In addition to helping homeowners, North American Relocation also has shipping options for commercial users.
- Auto transport: North American Relocation can ship your vehicle along with your belongings for long distance moves, which can save you gas money and wear-and-tear on your vehicle.
- Real estate assistance: In addition to helping homeowners pack and transport their belongings from one location to another, North American Relocation can also offer real estate assistance. Some things they can help with include understanding the real estate market in your new location, understanding the economy of your new location and finding a home in your new location that meets your needs.
- Long-distance moves: North American Relocation specializes in long-distance moves, and they make sure their customers understand what is going to happen at every point during their relocation process.
- Best for: North American Relocation is best for families making long-distance moves and companies who need shipping service.
Armstrong Moving has been in business for almost 50 years, and opened their New York headquarters in 2009. They specialize in cross-country residential moves. They have offices in New York and Texas.
Allied is a trusted national and international moving company capable of offering you a variety of services throughout the course of your move. It was founded in 1928 and is one of the largest relocation and van line companies in the country.
United Van Lines is a trusted mover that has over 340 agent locations in the United States and also offers international moving services. The company was founded in Cleveland, OH, in 1928.
Two Men and a Truck is a professional moving company that began as an after-school business for two high school friends. It has been in business for over 30 years.
Neighbors Moving and Storage is a family-owned business with over 60 years of experience. It covers a variety of locations, including cities in Florida and Colorado.
Adept Moving Company is located in Los Angeles, CA, and charges hourly rates for moving services. It provides moving services throughout California.
North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and residential moving for long-distances. With over 80 years of experience, the company is an expert on helping companies relocate throughout North America.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.