Best Moving Companies
When looking for the best moving companies, we recommend you compare multiple quotes, have an in-home estimate and verify credentials. As a supplier member of the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA), ConsumerAffairs has access to the latest moving industry intelligence and expertise.
Compare Top Moving Company Reviews
|American Van Lines|
Read 2,028 Reviews
Offers local, long distance, military, commercial, corporate and international moving and storage services. 50% deposit and a 3,000-pound minimum required to reserve a move. A 1 bedroom cross-country move starts around $2,500.
|GET A FREE QUOTE Toll free number (888) 226-1826|
|Colonial Van Lines||Read 1,308 Reviews|
Offers long distance moving, storage and corporate relocation. Packing and assembly/disassembly are included in estimates, and a near 50% deposit is needed. Rates may change weekly, with 1-BR interstate moves starting near $2,500.
|GET A FREE QUOTE Toll free number (800) 338-9092|
|Empire Moving Group|
Read 74 Reviews
Long-distance moving is available nationwide for residences and businesses. Other services include packing and unpacking, furniture disassembly and reassembly, and auto transport. Get a free quote online.
|GET A FREE QUOTE Toll free number (305) 614-1106|
Read 44 Reviews
This company specializes in local, long-distance, auto, freight and luxury moves as well as storage. They pride themselves in working closely with their customers to provide quality service at competitive prices.
|National Van Lines|
Read 109 Reviews
Offers local, interstate, cross country, international and specialty moving and logistics services. Prefers to do in-home estimates to ensure quotes given are 100% accurate. Also offers in-transit and temporary warehouse storage.
|Bold Moving and Storage|
Read 50 Reviews
With services for your local or long-distance move, this moving company can also help you with packing, unpacking, storage, car shipping and cleaning. Quote available upon request.
|GET A FREE QUOTE Toll free number (804) 256-3271|
|24/7 Logistic Services|
Read 51 Reviews
Long-distance moving company that provides services for military members, seniors, households and corporations. Online tracking makes it easy to see where your shipment is at all times.
|GET A FREE QUOTE Toll free number (954) 828-0306|
|Moving Nation||Read 6 Reviews|
Offers long-distance moving and commercial and corporate relocations. Storage and packing available. Serves the continental US. A 2-bedroom move from Philadelphia to Kansas City could cost from $2,500 to $5,000.
Read 51 Reviews
Month-to-month storage for your belongings, plus packing materials and pick-up and delivery services, in California, New York, Washington and Illinois. Packing specialists take an online photo inventory of all items.
|Budget Truck Rental||Read 769 Reviews|
Offers a variety of moving vans and trucks for local moves as well as moves across the country. Moving trucks start at 12 feet long for $19.99 per day for local moves, plus $0.99 per mile. Also offers transportation for vehicles.
How to choose a moving company
Finding the right moving company doesn’t have to be a major chore. Follow these seven steps to find the best moving company for you:
- Get multiple estimates: With everything you need to get done for a move, it can be tempting to go with the first moving company you find. However, it’s important to contact at least two or three moving companies to make sure you are getting the best deal. Getting a moving quote is the only way to know what a company charges for your particular move, but understand that sometimes estimated quotes can change. Some companies price match or throw in extras to gain you as a customer, so it can be beneficial to get multiple quotes.
- Conduct a walk-through: In order to get an accurate feel for how much movers cost, have multiple moving companies do a walk-through of your current home. Moving companies might charge extra for fragile items and large furniture, or if the mover thinks they need additional labor. The walk-through also gives you a chance to make sure you feel comfortable using the company.
- Ask for references: Reputable moving companies can provide references upon request. These references may be former clients, accrediting agencies or insurance agents. References are crucial to making sure a company is trustworthy, has a good track record and offers excellent customer service.
- Verify credentials: Check with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration if you are using a long-distance or freight moving company. This administration lets you know if the company is registered with the Department of Transportation. Verify your moving company’s FMCSA number when they show up for your move. You’ll need to have the number handy in case you need to file a complaint later. You can also see if your mover is registered with the American Moving and Storage Association’s (AMSA) Pro Mover program. This organization runs background checks on movers and holds them to high standards.
- Read reviews: It is also essential to know how other customers feel about the company. While a mover might look good on paper, former customers are the ones who can tell you what it is really like working with the company.
- Know the red flags: Several things should make you suspicious about a moving company. If the company has no address, hasn’t been in business very long, or has more than one business name, this can be a sign of fraud. A company that has no references, reviews or reputation is also suspect.
- Pay only on delivery: A reputable company does not ask for payment until the move is complete. Some companies may require a deposit, typically 20 percent or less, but you should never pre-pay for a move. Pay your deposit with a credit card in case you end up having to dispute charges. It’ll be easier to get your money back this way.
Types of moving companies
There are two types of moving companies in this world—brokers and carriers. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) states a moving broker is licensed to book moving services and coordinate shipments. However, they state that a moving carrier owns its fleet of trucks. Brokers charge a fee for facilitating relocation services, logistics and providing customer services. With a carrier, you’re not paying for the sales and marketing teams, but you also might have fewer options in delivery dates. It can also be challenging to resolve problems when they do occur.
Long distance movers
Long-distance movers can move customers from any area of the country to the location of their choice, crossing state lines. These movers are required to have different licensing than local or intrastate movers. They have different rates depending on how quickly the move needs to be handled and how many items are involved. Shop around and look for discounts to find the cheapest way to move a long distance.
Some moving companies only operate within a defined local area. Unlike long-distance movers, local movers often charge hourly rates instead of a bulk charge.
Corporate relocation companies specialize in moving entire businesses. They can move a large number of belongings and have relatively quick turnaround times to make sure the company is quickly back up and running. They also typically provide more packing material and organizational help, like assembly and disassembly, than other types of movers.
International moving companies can help individuals, families and corporations move their belongings overseas. They are usually well-versed in tasks like packing and moving, as well as with handling customs and immigration issues.
- What do full-service movers do?
- Full-service movers handle every aspect of a move from packing up the belongings in your current home to unpacking them at your new place—and everything in-between. Full-service movers can be an excellent choice for working professionals or anyone who doesn’t have enough hours in the day to get everything done. Hiring full-service movers help create a more stress-free moving experience.
- Packing: Full-service movers pack your home for you, including providing all packing materials needed to safely and securely pack up your belongings. This includes handling any large items, like furniture, that may need to be disassembled to make moving easier.
- Moving: Full-service movers load and transport your packed belongings to your new home.
- Unpacking: Full-service movers unload and unpack belongings, including reassembling and placing of furniture along with disposing of all packing materials.
- How much does it cost to have someone move you?
- Moving costs depend on a lot of factors, like:
- Weight of stuff
- Home size
Visit our resource for more information on how much movers cost and what factors affect pricing.
- What is considered a long distance move?
- Most movers will label a move “long distance” if it exceeds a specific mileage. Typically, the mileage ranges anywhere from 100 to 400 miles depending on the mover you choose. Any move that requires traveling over state lines is considered a long distance move.
If you’re planning a move, talk with your mover about what’s considered a long distance move and any other fees associated with a move over 50 miles.
- Can you hire movers to move one item?
- Moving a large item like a piano or hot tub requires specialized services, especially if there are stairs or tight hallways involved. Most movers can relocate delicate or bulky items for a fee and have the materials to pack and transport them safely and properly.
If you’re hiring a mover to transport an expensive item, make sure your mover has insurance and is properly vetted.
- Can you hire movers without a truck?
- Yes, most movers have hourly services that don’t include a moving truck. There are a few situations where you might want to hire movers without a truck:
- You need help packing. If you’re moving delicate or fragile items, consider hiring a packing professional to help you properly package your valuables.
- You need help loading or unloading. Maybe packing was a breeze, but loading and unloading are intimidating. You can hire movers by the hour to help you correctly load and unload your stuff.
- What won't movers move?
- Check with your mover for a specific list, but usually, movers won’t transport:
- Perishable items
- Hazardous materials
- Valuable documents
- Personal or sentimental items
Depending on where you live, your mover could have specific regulations or guidelines. Let them know about any special items you need to transport and see if they’re able to move them.
- Can you negotiate with moving companies?
- Most moving companies will give you an estimate, which you can use to negotiate pricing with other movers. Find out the average cost to move a home the size of yours, and compare features of different companies. Don’t be afraid to negotiate additional fees and ask what discounts or promotions are available.
Once you settle on a moving company, be sure to get a written contract that includes all fees.
- Will movers hold your stuff overnight?
- If your closing dates don’t coincide or you run into unforeseen circumstances, ask your mover about storage solutions. Most movers can either store your items in the truck or transfer it to a storage unit where you can access it anytime.
Who are the best moving companies near me?
We’ve compared the best moving companies across the United States to help you find trusted movers in your city.
- Colorado Springs
- Corpus Christi
- Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Myers
- Green Bay
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- Santa Barbara
- West Palm Beach
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter!
Moving company reviews
American Van Lines is a local, commercial and long distance mover that is also a family-owned business. They are headquartered in Pompano Beach, FL, and can help with moving nationwide.
- Local moving: The company does a lot of local, residential and commercial moves. These moves are within short distances and the cost is affordable.
- Corporate: They have a team of moving specialists that help with corporate moves and are capable of moving entire companies.
- Military moving: American Van Lines understands the needs of military moves, which require comprehensive planning and strict deadlines.
- Visa and immigration services: American Van Lines can help customers obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and other paperwork.
- Storage: The company also offers storage facilities to help companies and families safely store their belongings while they are in the process of changing locations.
- Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.
Long Distance Relocation Services has over 17 years of experience in moving individuals, families and employees all over the country. The company's employees have experience in a variety of services that are helpful for interstate moves.
Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move.
- FMCSA authorized movers: The company only hires FMCSA movers to move customers' belongings, so they are sure to pick a qualified and credentialed company to handle customers' items.
- Fast estimates: Colonial Van Lines can provide customers with quotes for their move just minutes after speaking on the phone for the first time.
- Educational information: Colonial Van Lines provides easy-to-access educational information regarding rights, responsibilities, insurance and more via their website, making it an approachable resource for customers who are moving.
- Wide network: Colonial Van Lines works throughout the entire United States, so they can find a moving provider no matter where a customer lives or where they are moving.
- Discounted moving supplies: The company offers customers discounted packages of moving supplies, including boxes, packing material and tape, to make their move more affordable and convenient.
- Best for: Corporations, households, individuals and busy professionals.
A moving company that not only specializes in all-inclusive NYC moves, but also long-distance and international moves for individuals and businesses.
Started in 1997, U-Pack offers nationwide moving services for people moving out of state. They have helped over 850,000 families move.
- Moving containers: ReloCubes are U-Pack’s moving and storage containers. They boast easy loading, unloading and great security. Consumers only pay for containers they use.
- Moving trailer: If more space is needed, U-Pack offers portable moving trailers. Consumers pay for only the space they use inside the trailer down to a 5-foot minimum.
- Storage: U-Pack will deliver a ReloCube or a trailer to the consumer’s location. They allow three business days for loading before they pick up the container and store it inside an on-site facility.
- Dimensions: U-Pack’s ReloCube is 6-feet by 7-feet by 8-feet. Their moving trailer is 28- feet by 8- feet by 9-feet.
- Service areas: U-Pack’s network is able to provide direct service to more than 98 percent of U.S. cities. It services all 50 states as well as Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico.
- Best for: Consumers looking to move cross country or long distances.
Moving Squad is a south Florida moving and storage company that provides a wide range of services to families and companies. The company is fully licensed and insured to protect its clients and their belongings. It offers customized moving plans to help all of its clients find affordable options that match their budgets.
This moving company can help you with your corporate, international or local move. They have flexible packing options if you need help with some or all of your packing and can also help with government and military relocations.
With a focus on customer service and satisfaction, this moving company can handle local and long-distance moves. They also have packing and unpacking services and will make sure every part of your move runs smoothly so you can easily transition into your new home.
- Storage facilities: If you have a gap in between moving out of your home and moving into your new one, you can use one of Bold Moving and Storage’s climate controlled storage units.
- Auto shipping: In addition to moving your personal items and furniture, Bold Moving and Storage can also move your car. Talk to them about their auto shipping options if you need to move your car.
- Local or long distance moves: Count on Bold Moving and Storage whether you’re moving across town or across the country.
- Packing and unpacking services: If you’re in a hurry, or just don’t want to pack and unpack everything, Bold Moving and Storage has packing and unpacking services to make your move easier. There is no minimum or maximum, so you can have Bold pack as little, or as much, of your stuff as you want.
- Cleaning services: Bold offers professional cleaning services to make sure your home or apartment is ready for the next person who is going to move in.
Focused on long-distance moves, this moving company handles military moves, moves for seniors, commercial moving, storage moving and private moving. They have packing services along with storage services to make your next move as smooth as possible.
- Military moving: Military moves can be extra stressful. 24/7 Logistic Services provides families going through a military move with a detailed plan and strategy to ensure an efficient and fairly priced moving experience.
- Moves for seniors: 24/7 Logistic Services will tailor their moving experiences to your situation, including moving seniors into a care facility or just moving items from one room to another for redecorating.
- Door-to-door relocation: Get out of your old place and into your new one faster with door-to-door relocation moving services. This means your belongings won’t sit in storage or at another facility. They’ll be delivered straight to your door.
- Track your shipment: Finding out where your belongings are is simple with 24/7 Logistic Services’ online tracking option.
Safebound Logistics prides itself on efficiency, safety, dependability and lower cost. Not only do they perform traditional local and long-distance moves, but they also provide commercial, auto, freight and luxury moving services. They work with you to minimize cost and maximize quality.
- One-on-one plan: A representative with Safebound sits with you personally and discusses your needs to come up with a plan that works for everyone. Safebound also offers 24-hour customer service for the duration of your move.
- Commercial moving: Safebound also specializes in commercial moving for those that need transport for high-value items, sensitive equipment, or office furniture. Like individual moves, Safebound offers a personal moving coordinator for 24/7 service.
- Auto moving: Safebound’s exceptional service applies to your automobile as well. They can safely and securely transport your vehicle to any of the 50 US states.
- Storage: For those in need of short- or long-term storage, Safebound can help. They provide you with a specialized container at your door so you can load at your own pace, then Safeboud transports that container to a clean and secure facility. Once you are ready to receive your items, they simply return the container to you.
Provides long-distance moving services based out of Denver, Colorado. Professional relocation specialists know that moving can be stressful, so they take price in their reliable and effective services.
Patriot Moving Group is a licensed moving brokerage firm that provides affordable residential and commercial relocation services with personalized packing and unpacking. Available throughout the U.S.
- Residential moving: Patriot Moving Group offers long-distance relocation services for any size home. The company’s trained employees handle fragile items with care to ensure household goods arrive at their location damage-free.
- Commercial moving: Patriot Moving Group coordinates moving logistics for businesses of any size, from shared workspaces to large corporate headquarters.
- Packing services: Patriot’s movers pack, box, load, unload and unbox all of your items. The company also provides furniture assembly and disassembly.
- Auto transport: Patriot is a fully licensed auto transport carrier that arranges safe, timely relocation services for vehicles over short or long distances.
- Pricing information: The company bases its moving rates on individual needs. It offers free estimates through email or over the phone.
Purple Heart Moving Group is a South Florida company that is family owned and operated. If you’re moving a long distance, relocating your business, needing packing and storage help or moving on military orders, Purple Heart Moving Group can help you get your things where they need to go.
We-Pack Moving is a federally licensed moving broker, meaning they manage a network of nationwide agents that are licensed to transport household goods across the country. The company has been in business for over 10 years and is headquartered in West Palm Beach, Fla.
With long distance and local moving services for residential and commercial moves, this moving company also offers car transport and storage services. They can ship items to anywhere in the world to make your move even easier.
PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) is a storage and moving service that was established in 1988. Consumers choose the size of a container they need, and PODS ships it to them. Consumers then load the container, and PODS either stores it in one of their facilities or ships it where consumers need it to go.
Alliance Movers, Inc. is a full-service moving and storage company with over 20 years of experience in the industry. With a fleet of over 48 trucks, Alliance Movers, Inc. handles local and long-distance moves of all sizes.
Open Road Moving and Storage offers local and long distance moving services along with packing services and auto transport. They are a licensed and insured carrier in Florida and a licensed broker that can facilitate state-to-state moves using their network of moving companies.
This full-service moving company offers long distance and local moving services nationwide. In addition to traditional moving services, they also offer specialty services such as storage and special care moves.
Solomon & Sons Relocation services is a full-service moving company based in Aventura, Florida. They can help with local, long distance or international moves. Solomon & Sons also provides packing and storage solutions for your move.
International Van Lines began in 2007 and is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They are one of the most recognized international and national relocation companies in the country.
Affordable Movers & Storage Inc. provides moving and storage services for residential and commercial customers. In business for more than three decades, this family-owned company can meet both local and long-distance moving needs. Each move is carefully planned to ensure a smooth moving day within the mover's budget.
National Moving Group is licensed as a moving company and a moving broker, which allows them to work with other moving companies to operate competitive pricing. They provide residential, commercial and inter-state moving services and automobile transportation.
Xtreme Movers is a licensed insurance company based in Passaic, N.J. They offer long distance moving, storage options, packing services and items and more. They also offer full-service moving.
United Van Lines is a trusted mover that has over 340 agent locations in the United States and also offers international moving services. The company was founded in Cleveland, OH, in 1928.
Two Men and a Truck is a professional moving company that began as an after-school business for two high school friends. It has been in business for over 30 years.
Neighbors Moving and Storage is a family-owned business with over 60 years of experience. It covers a variety of locations, including cities in Florida and Colorado.
Adept Moving Company is located in Los Angeles, CA, and charges hourly rates for moving services. It provides moving services throughout California.
North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and residential moving for long-distances. With over 80 years of experience, the company is an expert on helping companies relocate throughout North America.
American International Moving provides city-to-city relocation and automobile shipping anywhere in the continental U.S. for office, industrial or home moves. The company also offers packing services.
- Pricing information: American International Moving provides free quotes online, by phone and via email. The customer must pay with cash or money order before delivery — the company does not accept personal checks. Your moving consultant authorizes credit card payments before loading your belongings.
- In-state moving: The company provides intrastate moving and auto transport in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Texas and Florida.
- Office and industrial moving: Professional, trained employees schedule the move based on your needs. The company’s movers can work after regular business hours and on weekends to limit disruption.
- Interstate relocation: American International Moving offers city-to-city moves anywhere in the continental U.S. and provides a toll-free number for customers to call to receive dispatch information and corporate support.
- Packing: Trained packers use specially designed containers, soft-shock absorbent materials, wardrobe cartons, plastic covers and padding to protect customers’ belongings.
- Storage: Customers can use the company’s secure facilities for full or partial storage of household and commercial goods before, during and after a move.
Bellhops provides customized local, long-distance and labor-only moving in 55 major U.S. cities. Customers can book their move online or over the phone, and the company promises straightforward pricing.
- Pricing information: Bellhops offers free estimates and lets you instantly book your move online or by phone. You pay only for the time required for your move, and the company accepts all major credit cards.
- Flexibility: The company’s adjustable scheduling allows you to change your plans to accommodate next-day moves, last-minute changes and inclement weather.
- Service areas: Bellhops serves 55 major cities across 27 states, including New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, Atlanta, Denver, Dallas, Las Vegas, Miami, Nashville and Washington, D.C.
- Labor-only service: After a one-hour minimum, Bellhops charges in 15-minute increments based on an hourly rate. The company’s employees load or unload your moving truck or help with home projects, including furniture rearranging, event setup or garage reorganizing.
- Local moves: After a two-hour minimum, Bellhops charges in 15-minute increments based on its hourly rate. The company’s trucks come with basic moving equipment, including dollies, blankets and straps.
- Long-distance moves: A concierge team builds a customized plan for your move and schedules employees to help at your starting point and destination. The company uses professional drivers to transport your belongings in a 26-foot truck.
- Personalized service: On the night before your move, you receive an email that includes a photograph of each bellhop, so you’re greeted by familiar faces the next day. You can review the employees’ service and tip them online after the move is complete.
You Move Me’s uniformed employees arrive with coffee, perform a walkthrough and unload your belongings in the correct room. The company provides an all-inclusive price in advance of the move.
- Pricing information: You Move Me’s move managers offer free estimates over the phone. The company provides upfront quotes with all-inclusive pricing at an hourly rate. Customers pay one flat-rate travel fee for each truck required to complete the move.
- Senior move specialists: You Move Me provides free onsite estimates and home inspections for relocating seniors. The company’s employees create a comprehensive plan that includes tips to get rid of unwanted items. If you’re moving into a senior community, You Move Me works directly with the community’s staff.
- Add-on packing: The company offers basic loading and unloading services with do-it-yourself packing. Customers can also choose from three add-on options: complete packing services with supplies and optional unpacking, specialty kitchen packing or customized packing that allows you to choose what movers pack.
- Protection: The company covers your belongings with storage pads or shrinkwrap and uses pads to protect hardwood and tile floors. Customers can add full carpet shielding for an additional cost.
- Locations: You Move Me services cities in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wisconsin. The company also has locations in British Columbia and Ontario, Canada.
- Piano moving: The company’s employees move pianos, including upright (spinet) and console pianos. You Move Me also moves grand and baby grand pianos but requires an onsite inspection and estimate to ensure the piano is kept safe and secure during the move.
- Boxes and supplies: You Move Me can ship specialty lock-top boxes in different sizes to your door and take back the ones you don’t use. The company also sells moving supplies, including packing paper, bubble wrap, tape guns, storage pads and floor runners.
Moving Nation specializes in long-distance moves, commercial and corporate relocations and military moves. Choose from a variety of packing options to fit your needs. Short- and long-term storage are available.
- Types of moves: Moving Nation mostly handles long-distance moves, but it also performs commercial, military and corporate moves. You can opt for full-service packing, specialty packing for fragile items or DIY packing.
- Cost: The company’s prices vary based on several factors, including distance traveled, time of year and amount of household items, but you can expect a two-bedroom move from Atlanta to Los Angeles to cost between $2,500 and $7,000.
- Service areas: Although Moving Nation operates across the country, service may not be available in Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming.
- Additional services: The company offers packing options on all moves. Storage is also available for those who need it. Long-term storage items are pad-wrapped in a climate-controlled storage vault.
Old Dominion Move transports your belongings in a storage container you pack. The company doesn’t require deposits for moves in the 48 contiguous states. Old Dominion Move offers free estimates.
- Pricing information: Old Dominion Move offers instant free estimates online or by phone. The company charges by linear feet used in the provided shipping container. The company doesn’t require a deposit and accepts credit cards, money orders and cashier’s checks.
- Storage: Old Dominion can deliver the container to your chosen storage space or store it at the company’s facility. The company’s storage fees are $350 per 30 days for up to three months or 90 days total. Extended storage is available for an additional cost.
- Live load and unload: In areas where trailers cannot be parked overnight, the company’s driver waits for up to an hour while you load or unload. Additional wait time costs $150 an hour and billed in 15-minute increments of $37.50.
- Two-hour window drop off: If you have the company drop off the container so you can load or unload it at your convenience, you can guarantee a two-hour delivery window for $150.
- Free hand truck: Old Dominion Move provides a box dolly with each trailer to move boxes and small pieces of furniture.
- Flexibility: Change your reservation date by calling or updating your quote online. Rescheduling more than a week in advance is free, and changes made within one week cost $50. The company charges $150 for changes or cancellations made within 24 hours of the scheduled move.
- Unserviced areas: If Old Dominion doesn’t service your zip code, it can make special arrangements if you call the company directly. This may require bringing your items to the nearest corporate facility for transport.
Estes SureMove is a moving trailer rental service that lets you load your belongings on a trailer and have the company transport them to your destination. You only pay for the space you use. Serves the continental U.S. and has storage available.
- Pricing information: Estes SureMove provides free estimates online or by contacting the company directly via email or phone. The company provides the trailer, ramp and security partition. A $50 daily fee applies if you’re not ready for your trailer to be picked up in three days.
- Military discounts: Military personnel receives a $100 discount off military moves with a total cost of $600 or more. The company provides a weight ticket for a small fee and can handle any move in the lower 48 states and Alaska.
- Space estimator: Pay only for space you use by sectioning off your belongings with the provided security partition. Estes SureMove’s online space estimator helps determine how much of the rental trailer you need to move your goods.
- Storage: The Estes SureMove center nearest your new home provides short-term storage of your moving trailer for $20 a day.
- Guaranteed service: In many locations, the company guarantees delivery dates and times for an additional charge. You can also track your move online or by calling customer service.
- Corporate relocation: Estes SureMove allows people relocating for their jobs make the most of their moving budget by giving more control over the treatment of their belongings.
Island Movers is a full-service moving company that provides home and commercial moves and packing services in Hawaii. The company also offers warehouse space, ocean containers and portable storage units.
- Pricing information: Island Movers provides free quotes on its website or by calling, emailing or faxing the company. Estimates for home moves on the same island are based on the time required. Inter-island moves use a local barge service to transport shipping containers and are typically priced based on weight.
- Long and short-term storage: The company has secure warehouse space available at locations on Oahu and Maui. It also provides 20- or 40-foot steel ocean containers and sells office trailers.
- Portable storage units: The company uses portable storage units that are 8 feet long, 5 feet wide and 7 feet high and hold up to 2,000 pounds. After you finish loading the unit, Island Movers employees pick it up and store it or deliver it to your chosen location. Larger on-site units that stay at your location hold up to 5,000 pounds.
- Packing options: Island Movers employees are available to pack your belongings, or you can choose to load the container yourself. The company also sells cartons and packing materials.
- Business moves: Island Movers handles relocations, expansions, consolidations and closings. The company accepts small jobs that require a few movers and large projects that involve multiple trucks and dozens of workers. Estimates to move on the islands of Oahu and Maui are based on the time required to finish the job.
- U.S. Customs and Agriculture CES: Island Movers is home to the only approved Central Examination Station (CES) in Hawaii. The station is located within minutes of all ocean terminals, the Honolulu International Airport and the State of Hawaii Foreign Trade Zone and provides services including container drayage and storage.
Wheaton World Wide Moving is a full-service moving company. Among its long list of services, it also provides packing for fragile items like mirrors and picture frames. Priority relocation service is available for shipments weighing less than 6,000 pounds.
- Pricing information: Wheaton World Wide Movers determines the cost of interstate moving by factoring in the weight of your shipment and the distance of your move, plus additional services such as packing, unpacking and more.
- Packing Services: Specialized packing for sensitive electronics such as computers, laptops, game consoles and flat-screen TVs are also available.
- Boxes and Supplies: Movers provide cartons, wardrobe boxes, protective wraps, packing tape and marking pens.
- Storage: Wheaton Worldwide Movers offers storage-in-transit for up to 180 days and long- and short-term services for up to several years.
- Specialty items: Wheaton movers use air-ride trailers equipped with protective pads, straps, decking materials, foam cushioning, plastic moldings and walk boards to protect furniture, fixtures, musical equipment, appliances, pool tables and even automobiles.
Best Interstate Moving and Storage (BIMS) offers unique moving solutions such as packing and unpacking, custom crating, temporary storage, piano transport, boxes and moving supplies, moving insurance, and broadband services for your new home or office.
- Pricing: Best Interstate Moving and Storage provides transparent pricing and a price-matching program. Moving cost is based on the weight and size of your move as well as any special services you request. Best Interstate Moving and Storage requires a downpayment equivalent to one-third of the total cost of your shipment. Another third of the payment is due upon pickup, and the remainder must be paid upon delivery.
- Packing services: You can opt for full packing services or partial packing services for selected items such as fragile glassware, sentimental items and other valuables. BIMS unpacking teams don’t just open the boxes, unpack your items and leave — they see to it that all your belongings are in their proper places so you can relax after a long trip.
- Temporary storage: BIMS offers temporary storage services near the point of origin until you’re ready to move. They also have storage facilities near the points of destination until your new home is ready for occupancy.
- Free estimates: Start by getting an instant quote online or over the phone after which a BIMS consultant contacts you. BIMS offers virtual in-home moving estimates. It features a price-matching program and a Best Friends Program, in which you can receive a $200 Amazon gift card if someone you referred books a move with BIMS.
Suddath Relocation Systems provides transparent pricing on local, long-distance and international moving services from full-service movers with over 30 locations around the U.S. and alliances in more than 150 countries across the globe.
- Pricing information: Suddath Relocation Systems considers the size of your shipment, the distance of your move and additional services you’ll request. Other typical expenses for cross-country moving are deposits, moving supplies, storage fees, insurance and sometimes fuel.
- Free quotes: Get a moving quote by contacting Suddath online or over the phone. Over-the-phone and online quote request are good first steps, but to get a more accurate quote, you should consider a video survey or in-home survey.
- Moving services: Suddath has partnered with United Van Lines — a consortium of independently-owned agents located throughout all states — to get an unlimited reach across the country. Suddath will work with an agent to complete the second half of the move, complete with a local crew to bring your belongings to your new home or office.
- Monitoring software: Suddath’s Tracker, a move monitoring software, provides computer-generated move labels and signage with codes for inventory tracking, customizable move compliance checklist, digital tracking of records and shipment contents, and real-time customer dashboard to track move progress.
Relocation services for residential, commercial, government, military and international moves across the U.S.
- Pricing information: Covan World-Wide Moving bases moving costs on the distance, the weight of shipments and requested moving services. The company also factors in the date of your move, so expect higher costs during peak seasons. The company provides quotes online and performs free in-home estimates.
- Services offered: The company provides storage facilities and moving services for all types of relocations. You can request full or partial packing and unpacking services and customized crating for large or delicate items.
- AMSA member: Covan World-Wide Moving is a ProMover member of the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA). It has 200 interstate operating units and 600 units for local and short-distance moving.
- Availability: Covan’s services are available in the West, Midwest, South, Mid-Atlantic and Pacific regions of the U.S. The company also performs international moves.
Lawrence Companies provides full-service moving for large and small relocations, cost-effective storage, custom packing and other packages. Get a real-time estimate of your moving costs online.
- Specialty services: Specialty services include packing and unpacking, heavy furniture disassembly and reassembly, blanket wrapping, custom crating and large-item moving.
- Snapmoves: Snapmoves is Lawrence’s small moves container program. Snapmoves is a faster way to move and offers flexible moving dates, loading and unloading services, cost-effective storage and other services.
- Corporate relocation: Lawrence provides programs to simplify employee transfer, including expense management, home marketing, home sale programs, move management, temporary living spaces and global relocation.
- United affiliate: Lawrence Companies is a founding member of United Van Lines and has access to a large fleet of trucks, letting them serve customers almost anywhere in the world.
American Red Ball is a pioneer in long-distance moving and a ProMover member of the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA).
- Pricing: Moving services can cost as little as $1,000, but the final cost depends on the distance of your move, the weight of your belongings and the options included in the moving package. To request a free quote, call the company’s headquarters, or visit its website.
- Services offered: American Red Ball offers long-distance and household moving, corporate relocation, interactive planning and moving tips. The company’s moving specialists create and coordinate customized plans for long-distance moves and corporate relocations.
- Guaranteed Price Agreement: American Red Ball’s Guaranteed Price Agreement ensures the total price doesn’t exceed your estimate as long as the weight of your shipment and other conditions don’t change.
- Full Value Guarantee: The company’s Full Value Guarantee protects your possessions against damage or loss and provides up to 100% of their current retail value.
Budd Van Lines offers residential and corporate relocations. It provides in-home estimates through a video tour or by visiting in person. It also offers innovative services such as Eco-Crate and the Load-It-Once Modular System.
- Pricing: Budd Van Lines bases moving costs on the weight and size of your items and the distance of your move, with additional charges for other services. Call any of the company’s regional offices or visit its website to request a free quote.
- Services offered: The company specializes in corporate relocations but also offers personal moves. Standard moving services include packing, loading, unloading, unpacking and storage services. Efficient room-by-room packing and unloading keeps items organized.
- Eco-Crate system: The company designed the Eco-Crate system, which utilizes reusable corrugated cardboard crates to help customers save on packing costs.
- Load-It-Once Modular System: Budd Van Lines created a patented delivery solution that uses a custom-designed, fixed-frame truck that can fit two to four modular containers. Belongings are loaded into a container and sealed in your presence. Then, the company’s employees unseal the container at your destination.
Joyce Van Lines provides transparent and affordable pricing for your local, interstate or international relocation. The company offers private, corporate and military moving along with storage.
- Pricing: The weight of your belongings and the distance to your new home or office determines your moving cost with Joyce Van Lines. Get a free, no-obligation quote online or by calling the company.
- Services: Joyce Van Lines offers local, interstate, corporate and military moving. It provides on-site inspections for local and interstate moves and virtual inspections for international moves. It also offers packing, storage and home protection services.
- Deposits required: Joyce Van Lines requires a $100 deposit to reserve your move date, truck and crew. The balance is due after your shipment is delivered and can be made in cash, certified check or money order.
- Customer service: The company’s customer service is available 24/7 to assist you throughout the moving process. Joyce Van Lines hauls every customer’s possessions and does not broker jobs for other companies.
Local and long-distance moving experts safely relocate your belongings. To get a quick quote, call the company, go to their contact page or chat live with a company representative on its website.
- Local pricing: Gentle Giant bases its prices for local moves on an hourly rate. The time begins when the truck leaves headquarters and continues until it delivers your items at the destination and returns to the moving company premises.
- Long-distance pricing: The company bases long-distance pricing on a flat rate plus additional charges for optional services.
- Additional services: Gentle Giant also offers packing and unpacking, crane and specialty moving, moving box delivery and storage.
- Top Box: The company sells a variety of moving boxes and packing supplies with free delivery. Gentle Giant gives a full refund for unused boxes but charges a $25 fee to pick them up.
- Availability: Gentle Giant is available in California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, Washington and Washington, D.C.
More moving resources from ConsumerAffairs
How to move to another state. Use our handy moving tips to plan and execute your out-of-state move.
Moving yourself vs. hiring movers. What's the best way to move? Decide if hiring movers is really worth it.
What to know about moving quotes. Understand how much your moving company will really charge.
11 things to do when moving into a new house. Here’s everything you need to do to settle into your new home.
Compare Top Moving Company Reviews
|Moving Squad of South Florida|
Read 510 Reviews
Offers full service local and statewide moving assistance plus storage throughout South Florida’s Broward, West Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties. Long distance moves require a 50% deposit up front.
|Complete Moving Group|
Read 8 Reviews
These long-distance and local movers specialize in residential and commercial moves. Their movers are certified piano movers and art handlers, and they also offer auto transport and storage services.
Read 142 Reviews
Offers long distance residential or corporate moving services, including furniture placement, packing materials and one free flight of stairs at site of origin and destination. Also includes one month free storage.
|Molloy Brothers Moving|
Read 114 Reviews
Offers moving and packing services, pods, auto transport and storage for residential, commercial and employee relocation locally, nationwide and internationally. Settle-in, white glove and pack-out services are also available.
Read 58 Reviews
Local, long-distance and international relocation, as well as forwarding, destination, auto shipping and storage services. They assure uniform standards, along with superior knowledge of local areas.
Read 10 Reviews
Move in and around NYC or from NYC to any city in the country with white glove service, packing services and custom crating options for high-value items. Storage options available.
|Solomon & Sons Relocation Services|
Read 101 Reviews
Offers residential and commercial services for local, long distance and international moves plus storage. A full service 1-BR long distance move starts at $3,400 with 33% refundable deposit. Matches verified competitor's rates.
Read 66 Reviews
Fully licensed and insured in New York and New Jersey. Offers full-service long-distance moving starting from within the Northeast and moving nationwide. Also offers long- and short term storage and packing supplies.
|Interstate Moving & Relocation Group|
Read 131 Reviews
Offers local, long distance and international relocation services for residential and commercial moves. A 1 bedroom cross-country move starts around $1,800 with 33% deposit.
|International Van Lines|
Read 467 Reviews
Offers local, long distance, and international residential and commercial moves, auto shipping, air and ocean freight, packing services and more. Comprehensive pricing assessments identify costs and services needed for your move.
|Adept Moving & Storage|
Read 60 Reviews
Offers residential, commercial, office and labor moving along with packing/unpacking services starting primarily within Greater Los Angeles, traveling as far as San Diego or Santa Barbara.
Read 177 Reviews
Offers a variety of services including long distance and international student, residential, commercial and corporate moves by actual movers, not moving brokers. Storage, art/piano moving, and packing/unpacking also available.
|National Moving Group|
Read 153 Reviews
Offers residential and commercial moving assistance for state-to-state and cross country relocation, as well as storage, auto transport and packing/unpacking services.
|Neighbors Moving & Storage|
Read 87 Reviews
Offers both local and long-distance residential and corporate moves, storage and packing options. Their website features a Concierge section with handy moving checklists and a Web Specials section with printable discount coupons.
|Madison Van Lines|
Read 21 Reviews
Moving company that specializes in local, international and corporate moves. Additional services available, including packing, unpacking and storage. Packing supplies and materials available.
|Radius Moving and Storage|
Read 32 Reviews
Specializes in full-service moving services for long-distance private moves. Provides options for all stages of the move from packing services to storage. Prices depend on move size and distance. Also offers commercial moving.
|Mile High Van Lines|
Read 35 Reviews
Packing, loading, transporting and unloading services available for long distances throughout the United States. Customers are assigned a dedicated moving consultant throughout the entire relocation process.
|United Movers Group|
Read 32 Reviews
Offers full-service moving services for moves both across town and across the country. Will also ship to most international destinations. Moves can be priced at a flat fee or hourly rate. Also provides climate-controlled storage.
Read 79 Reviews
This nationwide, full-service moving company can help you move across the street or to another state. They also have climate-controlled storage facilities you can use temporarily or indefinitely.
|Purple Heart Moving Group||Read 298 Reviews|
Offers transport and logistics for long distance residential, commercial, corporate and military moves, plus storage and packaging. A 33% deposit is needed. A long-distance 1-bedroom move starts around $1,700-$,2000.
|U-Haul||Read 1,091 Reviews|
Offers trucks, trailers, cargo vans, towing, container shipping, storage, packing supplies and hitches. Rent vehicles ranging from pick-up trucks to 26' trucks. Locations throughout the U.S. and Canada.
|Two Men And a Truck|
Read 276 Reviews
Has moving options for everything from small local moves to full-service, cross-country moves. Prices are set by individual franchise locations, but most charge hourly rates with 1-2 hour minimums. Also offers piano moving.
Read 31 Reviews
Offers full service local and long-distance residential and office moves and secure, air-controlled storage options within the Bergen County, New Jersey area. Offers senior discounts and will coordinate auto/motorcycle shipping.
|Condor Moving Services|
Read 56 Reviews
Offers local, long-distance and corporate moving services, as well as auto transport, short- and long-term storage, full or partial packing, custom crating and shuttle services. Offices in 8 Texas cities.
Read 29 Reviews
Offers residential and commercial moving assistance for local, long distance and international moves as well as storage and auto shipping.
Read 2,694 Reviews
Offers residential and commercial moving and storage solutions for both local and long distance. A 7x8 container fits 1.5 rooms and would cost around $1,500 for a cross-country move.
|Penske Truck Rental|
Read 186 Reviews
Offers moving trucks sized 12-26 feet, plus packing materials and movers for hire. Free unlimited mileage on one-way truck rentals available, as well as discounts for AAA members and other programs. Minimum rental periods apply.
|Continental Van Lines|
Read 39 Reviews
Offers full-service residential moving assistance nationwide, throughout Alaska, and internationally by networking with other moving companies. Can also provide short-term, long-term or in-transit storage in Washington and Alaska.
Read 164 Reviews
Provides moving services for all types of households and moves. Services include local moves, long-distance moves and international moves as well as military and government moves. Add on packages start at $395.
|All My Sons Moving & Storage|
Read 921 Reviews
Offers local and long-distance moving, packing/unpacking services, careful transport of antiques, art and pianos, and climate-controlled storage. Priced by the hour; varies by location.
|Bekins Van Lines|
Read 237 Reviews
Offers local, long distance, international and specialized moves for residential, corporate, government and military relocation. Also offers packing, storage and shipping. A long distance 1-bedroom move starts at $1,900.
|Atlas Van Lines|
Read 164 Reviews
Offers local, long-distance and interstate moves, as well as moves to Canada. Pricing depends on the weight of items being moved and the overall distance traveled. Also offers moving services for vehicles and specialty items.
|Nationwide Relocation Services|
Read 206 Reviews
Offers residential long-distance moving and corporate relocation services, as well as auto transport, storage and packing options. A full-service cross-country move for a 1 bedroom home begins around $2400; varies by availability.
|United Van Lines|
Read 250 Reviews
Offers local and long-distance services for residential, corporate, government and military relocation plus auto transport and storage. Use their virtual estimator system to see how much your move will cost.
|Father & Son Moving|
Read 191 Reviews
Offers local and long-distance moving services for residential and commercial relocation, as well as storage, piano, art and antique care, and overseas shipping. They also offer last minute moving in Connecticut.
|The Apt Movers|
Read 38 Reviews
Offers residential moving services throughout Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Phoenix, Tampa, Irving and surrounding areas. A 1 bedroom move from Houston to Dallas starts at $1,900 with 2 movers and 1 truck for 11 hours.
|Best Price Moving and Storage|
Read 31 Reviews
Offers full-service residential, commercial and corporate interstate moving assistance from starting points of several cities in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois.
|North American Van Lines|
Read 274 Reviews
Operates with independent moving companies across the country for local, long-distance and international moves. Offers packing supplies and storage options as well as full-service moves. Pricing determined by weight.
|Allied Van Lines|
Read 360 Reviews
Provides local, interstate and international moving services for all home sizes. Customers can choose basic or full-service moving packages. Also offers storage. Pricing depends on weight of items and miles traveled.
|Arpin International Group||Read 5 Reviews|
Providing relocation coordinators support customers with international moves. The company offers advice and support for everything from pre-move planning to new country acclimation services.
|US Van Lines||Read Reviews|
Offers residential and commercial moving services and storage options for both local and long-distance relocation starting from their main office region in St. Louis, Missouri. They also offer handy online tracking of your move.
|U-Pack||Read Expert Review|
U-Pack was launched in 1997 by ABF Freight. As a “you pack we drive” company they offer portable moving containers and trailers designed to help lower the cost of moving long distance.
|American International Moving||Read Expert Review|
Offers full-service interstate, in-state and international relocation, including packing and storage for home, office and industrial moves. Provides free quotes. Prices vary based on distance, weight, route, time and move type.
|American Red Ball||Read Expert Review|
Offers affordable relocation services and specializes in long-distance moving. The company guarantees quality services for residential, corporate, commercial and military moves.
|Bellhops||Read Expert Review|
Local and long-distance movers serving select cities in 27 states. Customers pack belongings. Provides free estimates and straightforward pricing on all services, and the average cost for a local two-bedroom move is $550.
|Best Interstate Moving and Storage||Read Expert Review|
Relocate your home, office or business with movers who have proven experience, transparent pricing and premium service options. Get connected with a network of trained moving professionals spread across 44 states in the U.S.
|Budd Van Lines||Read Expert Review|
Provides personalized service for residential and corporate relocations. The company uses the same moving crew to handle your possessions at your starting point and destination.
|Covan World-Wide Moving||Read Expert Review|
Get competitive pricing and quality moving services from a leading provider of worldwide transportation. Trained movers located in 50 company-owned offices in 17 states with 400 agents around the globe.
|Estes SureMove||Read Expert Review|
Focuses on national do-it-yourself moves. Delivers a trailer to your residence and gives you three days to load and three days to unload at your destination. Moving a two-bedroom home cross-country costs about $4,500.
|Gentle Giant||Read Expert Review|
Get competitive pricing with a satisfaction guarantee from an efficient moving company. Local or long-distance relocation services are available across the country.
|Island Movers||Read Expert Review|
Hawaii-based moving specialists offering personal or business relocation to, from and within the state, including U.S. mainland and international moves. Prices vary by service, location and weight. Storage options available.
|Joyce Van Lines||Read Expert Review|
Offers local, interstate and international full-service moving and storage services in 48 states. The company uses trained moving specialists who are committed to providing quality customer service.
|Lawrence Companies||Read Expert Review|
Provides affordable residential and commercial relocation across the U.S. The moving and freight company is employee-owned and has a long history of professional transportation.
|Old Dominion Move||Read Expert Review|
Specializes in cross-country moves. Allows you to pack, load and pay for only the space you use. Provides travel time and price estimates. Cost to move a two-bedroom home coast-to-coast within a week starts around $3,500.
|Suddath Relocation Systems||Read Expert Review|
Provides local, long-distance, international, residential, commercial, corporate and military moving services. Additional services include packing and unpacking, short- and long-term storage and decluttering services.
|Wheaton World Wide Moving||Read Expert Review|
Get a free online estimate when moving your personal, corporate, government or military belongings locally and internationally. Services include transportation, packing, unpacking and storage.
|You Move Me||Read Expert Review|
Senior-friendly, full-service franchise mover available in 15 states and parts of Canada that provides home and commercial moves. Charges an hourly rate that is quoted upfront. Trucks range from 20 to 26 feet.
|Long Distance Relocation Services|
Read 358 Reviews
|Out of Business|
Offers basic and full moving services for residential, commercial, local and interstate moves, plus in-transit and warehouse storage. A no-risk 25% deposit is needed, and they'll beat any verified competitor's rates by 10%.
|Open Road Moving & Storage|
Read 51 Reviews
|Out of Business|
A licensed and insured carrier in Florida, this moving company is also a licensed broker that can help you arrange your interstate move through their network of moving companies. They have packing and auto transport services.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
Keep an eye on your inbox, the latest consumer news is on its way!