Call toll free
4.85/5
Based on 11,077 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the nation. Our goal is to help clients re-establish financial stability and peace of mind in the least amount of time possible. We will work hard to provide experience and proven results through education and individual customer care.

We want individuals to achieve freedom from financial debt by receiving debt reduction services and financial consultations so that they will continue to live debt-free. Call today to learn more!

National Debt Relief Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

35235 National Debt Relief Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I had worked so hard on my credit score that I was petrified of not paying my credit card. I called a company and they marketed and advertised heavily. I heard National Debt Relief's number on the radio and I called them. They were easy to get a hold of. I didn't feel like I was going to be out on a whim. Every time I called, I could get straight to a person. I didn't feel like when I dealt with them, I was just gonna get a machine and the runaround. They explained things to me over and over again. They empathized and said that they understood about the debt seasoning.

I refinanced my house and the enrollment process was pretty simple. Everything was done over the phone and with e-signatures. I was very adamant that I wanted to be able to see the document before I signed it. I was a little apprehensive about that because I had never done this before and I am not sure I know anybody that had done it. I really just had no idea what was going on. But National Debt Relief was more than happy to let me take my time and read the document. It was easy. All I had to do was respond to an email. There was a link in the email so it made it really simple.

But National Debt Relief was supposed to refinance my credit card debt into the amount. They weren’t gonna pay out cash but they were gonna pay the debt. At the end of the day, I signed the closing papers and it was not in the contract that they were paying my credit card debt. I could have taken it all back but I needed to get it done. National Debt Relief ended up comping me a $200 check for the inconvenience and they sort of admitted guilt there.

I had a surgery scheduled that was gonna cost me $8,500. I was gonna put that on my credit card. The credit card debt that I had was supposed to be gone because they were supposed to pay that into my house refi. But I ended up with $14,000 worth of credit card debt. When I looked at the numbers, my income and minimums, they really put me between a rock and a hard place when the plan for them to pay the credit card debt didn't go through because that was my entire plan. I was paying $551 funds from a credit card. It wasn’t the minimum but it wasn’t much over the minimum and it was gonna take 18 years to pay on $14,000.

Other than that, working with this company immediately reduced the money going out by $400 a month. It also helped my credit score go back up. When you do this and they educate you, you realize that your credit score’s gonna take a horrible hit. Mine dropped 150 points which was insane. But as they resolved the debt, it started reporting as paying again. Nobody wants their credit score to go down but it goes back up as they arrange payments for you and start making those scheduled payments.

Whenever I got something from a creditor, I can call National Debt Relief. I can scan the document, upload it, email it, and the people always responded. It doesn't seem like they have forgotten me. I like their people's attitude. They didn’t seem like they were in a hurry and they had other things to do. When I was being a little emotional as I was scared, they just answered each question that I had and they sounded like they knew what they were talking about. They also send me an email that says that I have a settlement offer and I can just accept it right there from the email or I can call. I have done both.

Also, being with National Debt Relief reduced the amount of time that I'm gonna be paying on my debt from 18 years at $500 a month to $200 a month for 36 months. That’s insane. I got into this situation myself but I really intended before I had my surgery already scheduled for that other credit card debt to be gone. $8000 is a little better than $14000. When I found out that our initial credit discussion that they'd pay my credit card wasn’t in my mortgage agreement, I cried.

At this point, National Debt Relief had settled 50% of my debt. I had five creditors and four have agreements made. The agreements took place pretty quickly. I believe the reason why the rest of my debt isn’t settled is because I have only paid $200 towards it and they only have so much money to work with. If I had put $13000 in that bank, I think that all of it would be settled right now. When I have enough money, like when one payment is probably paid up, I expect for another one to be made. I just don't think there is enough for them to work with to schedule six payments. Right now, they’re working with four. But they did tell me that my debt would need to season.

The process is very uncomfortable to not pay your bills and let things go in too deep. I was scared. I remember telling their guy that if they didn't follow through, I was screwed because if I took a hit on my credit score, I wouldn't have any negotiating power to come up with any other plan or any other alternative. But I was comfortable with my payment plan. I asked them if I could pay bi-weekly because it’s how I get paid. They said that I can pay however I want to the recommended amount that I needed to and their rep explained about it too. That’s really why I know that the debt settlement isn’t complete right now because of the amount of money. Their rep explained that if I could paid more, even if there were taxes, it would help the negotiation go faster.

National Debt Relief gave me the option to pay and told me what the minimum was. I was also told to pay in the amount of time that I wanted since I asked about the timeline. We kind of went back and forth until we found a number that worked for me and them. The company has greatly impacted my life because $500 a month going out to credit cards was really stressful. It was causing an impact on my mental health. My happiness and my finances are all sort of intertwined. Now, I don’t even think about it much.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

A friend of mine recommended me to National Debt Relief because I had some debt that I was paying off. I was actually contacting individually and negotiating myself. Then my friend told me to try this program. I was investigating to see how it is and it took me a month. I saw that these companies tend to be money pits so I did my research. The reviews and the testimonies were the determining factors that made me go with National Debt Relief. Plus somebody I know and trust very well personally went through the process, and that gives me that comfort.

I thought the enrollment process would be more of a hassle. But as I was starting out the program, they gave me materials to read the disclosures, and they made it simple and fluid. Then the money I pay monthly was determined by the amount of debt that I have and that they're trying to pay off. It was 900 bucks a month and they said 48 months. They also have one that’s pretty high but I was in the process of buying a house so I was thinking whether I could afford it. But they were able to work with me. I had moving expenses and they postponed my payment for two months. They were able to do that with no problem and no pressure. I didn’t have to go through hoops and mazes to get that request. It was literally a quick phone call. That was cool.

The money goes into a savings account and once they see a certain amount, they try and negotiate with the creditors to pay off the debt at a good discount. The negotiators have also always called me when they've settled debts. Every time they came up with a deal, a payment schedule or anything to do with a specific creditor, they would contact me, inform me and ask for my permission to continue if I would choose to continue. I like the fact that they actually take the time and ask if they have permission to proceed. Sometimes, companies think they have a power of attorney and they're safe like that. But NDR actually contacts you to see where you're at. And if they require additional payments to close the account, they would reach out. “You have to pay extra 50 bucks a month for the next three months if that's okay with you. It's feasible to get this debt covered.” They're straightforward and on their ball.

This might be because of the legal measures but they have a limit on the amount of time you can settle the debt. I think 46 months is the most. Having extra cash, I can afford it. But for somebody who is of lower income, it will be a little bit more fees if they allowed more time to accumulate the funds in the savings account. NDR gets a little percentage as their cost but most of my money is being used to pay off the debt. And for anything left over in the savings account, they let me refund checks. It's great. You can't ask for more. I would definitely recommend somebody to the process.

I'm also pretty comfortable working with them. My customer service representatives call me once every two months just to see where I'm at. They give me updates and ask me about any questions on any of my accounts, any of my creditors being negotiated or the saving account that the money goes to. And I like that. It's so refreshing. Not even my car loan bank calls me. NDR is a big company but they try to make sure that they're squared away.

Plus anytime I call, have a question or want to deposit extra funds, they respond quickly. I'm not on hold for too long, no more than 10 minutes. If they don't know the answer, they would put me on hold and ask the supervisor or even the supervisor would get on the phone and talk with me. When I email them, I get a response within 24 hours. I'm about 60% of the way done and the program has paid off a few of my debts. I was able to close out at least four accounts and NDR is working on a few more. The program has also helped me save a few gray hairs with all these creditors because sometimes they can be a little feisty.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I had been trying to get out of debt for at least a year and had been paying more than the minimum balance required, but I was not seeing a dent in what I owed. I started looking at different places that could help. I looked at personal loans to see if that was a good option, but it seemed like that was just gonna make things worse for me and my wife. National Debt Relief laid everything out - how much I owe, what I was potentially gonna pay, and my monthly payment to them. They also told me how they were getting paid. Everything was right out in the open and it was clear that it was gonna be the fastest route to getting out of debt.

I had to agree to a couple of different credit cards and that they were gonna take care of. I had one at 0% that I wanted to do on my own, but they said it would be better to do it all at once. I had to agree to let them take on all of my debt to make sure that everything was taken care of. I had to then give them my personal information so that they could gather all the information on what I owed. Then, we set up an automatic payment that I send over each month. The monthly payment was a combination of what they thought they were gonna be able to negotiate my debt down to and what I would be paying them. It was $200 less than all my minimum payments added together. I was immediately gonna see savings, which was nice.

They've told me upfront what to expect so I knew the collection calls were gonna come and that they were doing their thing on the other side. I just had to let it go until they contacted me. NDR was able to negotiate a lot of my stuff down so that we can get the debt taken care of and move on with our lives. They would contact me when they have a settlement to talk about. They’ve all been really nice and accommodating. I had one that came in around the same time as another one was going on and the numbers weren’t gonna work out. They were able to go back, negotiate and figure it out. They changed the payment dates so that it would work out so we could have two credits being paid off all at once. I had a couple of questions on stuff and I called them. They’ve been very clear and recommended I pull it up in my page so I could look at the numbers with them. Everyone I talked to has been nice, friendly and understanding.

Four months in, I started to see some settlements come in. It has been seven months since I started and I have had half of my debt paid off. We have gotten two of my major ones paid off, which feels great. I just have a couple of small ones here to take care of and I’ll be done. You’re not in the greatest position of your life, but NDR works with you and try to figure out what’s the best solution to get you into a better position. Their service is great and what they charge is perfect and in line with what they provide. Everything has been spectacular with National Debt Relief.

I’ve recommended NDR to a few guys I work with who were the same boat. A couple of co-workers were talking about going filing for bankruptcy. One has taken out a debt consolidation loan and has seen how it's not beneficial to him. I told him before he took that big step of going to bankruptcy, he may wanna at least call and see what NDR can do for him.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I was overloaded with credit debt. My wife had become disabled and we lost her income. We had to rely on credit cards heavily to try to stave off things and that just compounded the problem. All of my available money was going out to debt and I wasn’t able to save any money. Both my wife and I were trapped. Eventually, I got to a point where my debts exceeded my income. For a couple of years that I was making full payments on everything, I was paying mostly the interest and the debts just kept growing. In the past, I went bankrupt and it absolutely ruined my credit and my name. When I had gotten into this situation, I didn’t want to go bankrupt again but thought it was my only real option.

I did some research online and National Debt Relief had a had a good name on the internet. They were one of the better-ranked companies for helping people in my situation. I decided to give them a try. I called them up and spoke to a guy that was very helpful, seemed very concerned about my situation, wanted to help me in any way he could and got me into the program that they had. They assured me that I didn't have to go bankrupt and I can enroll my debts into their program. Not knowing what to expect, I was concerned that I would get a fly-by-night deal where I pay them and things don't turn out to be what I want, but it's going well so far. NDR guaranteed that if I make my payments each month for four years, they will resolve all my stuff.

They told me they had a formula that looked at my total debt, looked at what they expected that debt to ultimately be resolved for and established a payment amount. In my case, it was a four-year plan and by the time four year passes, I would have paid them about 50% of what I otherwise would have owed. It was in April when we had officially gotten into the program and started making payments to them and quit making payments to the credit card companies. This is August and I’ve already settled three credit card debts out of the 18 I enrolled in their program. We settled them for about 35% of what I owed. If everything stays on track with that, then I should come out a bit ahead. I’m happy with NDR's cost. I’m paying them slightly less than half of what I was paying to my creditors, which is a huge help from a cost perspective because I was over-extended and that was how it got so bad.

I’ve talked to a couple of my creditors that initially were hesitant. I had a couple of them that threatened legal action and I said I didn't want them to do that, but they could do what they gotta do. NDR promised me legal services if it comes to that point. However, something must have gone right because neither of them has called me now for a couple of months. They must have had satisfaction from talking to somebody.

I should be able to go on and look at my account and see where I stand with each of my creditors and how much I still owe. I’ve called them twice and I tried to work through that problem. However, they don’t understand why I don’t see what they see. I have a modern computer and I’m not giving them something censored. Their resolution was for me to take a snapshot of my computer screen, send that to them and they'll look at it. I was on the phone with them for about 30 minutes and I was pressed for time. I said I didn't have time to continue on and that I’m not getting the answer that I want from them. They should be able to figure out why I can’t see. It can’t just be something on my end. It has to be the data that their system is presenting to me.

Overall, NDR has been very helpful. They have given my wife and I breathing room. There was a huge weight on our shoulders, primarily mine. Even though I make good money, we were just constantly under water. After we enrolled in the program and with assurances of National Debt Relief, it felt like we bobbed back up to the surface again. Moreover, every month, it feels like we’re closer to shore. I look forward to the day when all of those debts are closed and we can go back to living our lives. In the meantime, I’ve been able to get my wife on disability, which is opt-out. I couldn’t be happier with them working with my creditors, resolving things like they said they were going to. I’d tell others to strongly consider calling NDR to see if it was a good fit for them.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I was in a significant amount of debt and in maintaining my bills, I was not getting out of debt. I was struggling and did not have enough money to do other things so I needed some help. NDR had a significant number of positive reviews on google and on their own website. I read a number of them and compared them with a couple of other companies and their reviews, and NDR stood out.

To enroll I did a 20-minute phone call with them. I needed to give them information about basic demographics, what my income is, my employer, and how long I’ve worked. Then, they looked at my credit report and gave me the option to enroll any number of creditors for whom I owe money to. They then enabled a budget based on what my income is and what my current expenses are outside of the debt. Then they came up with a plan to follow and a breakdown of what my monthly costs would be to pay the debtors off through them over the next three years. I am one year in, out of the three years and have already begun to settle some of the five debts that I had. So far, I’ve been very satisfied.

Everyone is very direct and honest about what the impact of participating will be and I was very appreciative of that. Whenever I had challenges or questions, if I need to change a payment date or any time a creditor accepts a settlement from us, they are very prompt in responding and get back to me within 24 to 48 hours. Plus, they have multiple ways in which they can contact the customers. I’ve been contacted via email, text, cell phone, and home phone.

The cost is fair. This is technically something I could be doing totally independent and I could get more of the benefit out of the settlement with my creditors. NDR let me know up front that it would be cheaper if I did the settlement on my own and I acknowledged that they’re making money off of my debt. But for them to take care of it on my behalf and give me this budget and process the payments, I think it’s worth it. I certainly don’t have the time to babysit folks for a month at a time.

Also, they gave me the heads up that participating in a plan like this, where I have to almost ignore my creditors as my account builds up, would negatively impact my credit. In the beginning, it was a little stressful watching the creditors continue to contact me and threaten to ruin my credit, but because it was all information that NDR had already given me, it wasn’t a surprise. Also, they gave us materials to distribute to the creditors so that they knew not to continue to call and what was gonna happen in the future. After six months or so, everything started to happen exactly like it was explained and life has been less stressful.

A lot of times what you see on television is not revealing. They’re trying to sell you so they exaggerate or there’s super fine print that you can’t read. I’ve seen a thousand commercials for NDR on TV since participating and I can say that everything they’re saying in the ads is true. Although the information that they say don't go into excruciating detail, information that is being advertised isn’t misleading. I would tell friends that they really need to be clear on what they can handle in terms of pressure from creditors. The program will destroy their credit and that if they are willing to take that risk in the beginning, it’ll clean itself up as time goes on. If they can handle that, then this would be a route to get out of debt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Debt Relief?

Original review: May 24, 2019

All questions were answered before I even thought of them. All the questions I did have were answered with much detail and never under minded my questions as dumb questions. Would recommend to anyone I knew that would need this service.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I HIGHLY recommend this organization. Cass and Katlyn were so pleasant, thorough and patient. I thought this was going to a difficult and stressful process, but it was quite the opposite. This process was so easy and stress-free. I am extremely happy I chose to use this organization! I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and I can move forward. THANK YOU, NDR!!

Original review: May 24, 2019

I am very happy with the experience I received with person who I spoke to on the welcome call. She was very polite and kind to me. Even though she was not feeling well she still managed to treat me with kindness and caring tone.

Original review: May 24, 2019

National Debt Relief is awesome. I was struggling with my credit cards payments and they helped me out big time. They also make sure to take good care of you and have great customer service. I definitely recommend National Debt Relief!!

Original review: May 24, 2019

Everyone was very reassuring and understanding of my situation and focused on a solution for me. All of my questions/concerns were answered in clearly. Nick and Vanessa were quick to help and I'm hoping the good reviews continue throughout my experience with the company.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I struggled with this decision. Everyone that I spoke with helped me to understand the process and helped make my decision easier. From the initial call to the Welcome call. They were even understanding of delays due to a personal crisis at home when I was expecting the Welcome call. Thank you!

Original review: May 24, 2019

I spoke w/ Victor ** initially and he was very informative and helpful and walked me through every step of this process so I would have a good understanding of how this program works. My welcome call was with Wayne ** and too was very helpful and informative. Thank you.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I spoke with Gary **. He made sure I understood everything and stayed with me until I was able to sign documents. I spoke with Isis with the welcome team and was concerned that it was a scam call. She had me call back. It made me feel comfortable with speaking with next representative who understood and answered all my questions!

Original review: May 24, 2019

Very friendly and understanding staff whom were always pleasant and never negative or demeaning on phone towards me. Thoroughly explained all items needed and entailed and the process with which the program follows. A helpful network, website and easy to use.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Yves and Sharon are very friendly and professional. They're nice to talk to and make sure you understand everything and very compassionate with my situation. They make sure you are accommodated the whole time they in the phone with you.

Original review: May 24, 2019

All people that I have had contact with have been very helpful and polite. I would highly recommend this service to anyone in need. I am hopeful that all future dealings are just as pleasant. Dina was very pleasant. Thank you.

Original review: May 24, 2019

For the past two days, I have spoken to a few members of the program in which they were very knowledgeable, courteous, patience explaining in details, for how the program works and what is expected on all parties involved. Thank You.

Original review: May 24, 2019

The process was flawless. All who I engaged with at National Debt Relief were professional and courteous. I was impressed by each individual I spoke to. They are a team that works together to help! Highly Recommended to anyone in need of debt relief assistance!

Original review: May 24, 2019

So far the mountain of information presented to me by Jeremy and subsequently by Keith was delivered with patience and thoroughness. I had a lot of questions and both gentlemen were very good at giving me the information I needed to begin this process. It is a frightening road to go down, but they have alleviated some of my fears. Here hoping it all goes smoothly!

Original review: May 24, 2019

Being in debt is so stressful but the reps at National Debt Relief are so friendly and patient that it eases ones mind and makes this process so much easier. I was hesitant on contacting NDR but I really want to get out of the financial headache I'm currently in. I would definitely recommend your services to anyone in the same situation as mine.

Original review: May 24, 2019

My experience was very informative and helpful. I would like to that the operators that helped me with my issue. I am very thankful that there is a program out there to help me and my family. Again awesome first experience.

Original review: May 24, 2019

My experience with National Debt Relief, Tiara ** and everyone who has helped me with my account has been fantastic. They are professional and personable and extremely helpful. They made me feel more comfortable with my decision to use National Debt Relief and to help me with my debt. I will recommend them to everyone.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Drew listened to me and instead of judging me for my misfortunes he helped me. He was very kind and explained everything in great detail. Forever grateful for him and his patience in getting me set up to live better.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Other than "Thank You" all I can add is " Keep up the good work Mr. Jeremy **" Will recommend to any of my friends in need. Very professional, and understanding to my fears. I was relieved I was not being scammed.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I called to check up on my account and per usually I had a very polite and courteous representative who went above and beyond to get me the answer I was looking for. I have been in this program for a year and a half and I have never once had a bad experience with any of your team. Thank you for always putting the customer first!

Original review: May 24, 2019

Everyone at National Debt Relief has been extremely helpful in explaining the process and how this will impact me and how it will help in the long-run. I would recommend to anyone who is struggling to get out of debt.

Original review: May 24, 2019

It was easy and was explained in detail so I could understand everything. The lady was nice and had patience with me because it was hard for me to understand. I was pleased at how easy it was to do. If I didn’t understand anything it was explained again. Thank you for your help.

Original review: May 24, 2019

It was a good thing, I'm saving a lot of money and help me in becoming debt free. The people I spoke with were very helpful and worked very hard to put me in a better situation. I would like to thank them very much for their help.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I was helped fast and am happy to be getting out of debt. Camilla and Daniel were very helpful in getting me to fully understand the process and all documents I was signing. I am looking forward to a positive debt relief program and getting my life back on track.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Caly ** was very knowledgeable and helpful. She answered my questions honestly and really put my fears at ease. She understands where people are when they are having to ask for help in such a difficult time in their life. Thank you!

National Debt Relief expert review by Barbara Friedberg

National Debt Relief helps consumers find relief from burdensome debt with their debt settlement services. They offer alternatives to bankruptcy along with educational resources for people who are considering filing for bankruptcy.

• No upfront cost: There are no upfront fees to use National Debt Relief’s services, and you pay only when they succeed in reducing your debt. Fees range from 20-25 percent of the total paid debt.

• Free budget planner worksheets: Start managing your budget by downloading a free budget planner worksheet from National Debt Relief’s website. This tool will help you figure out if you will have a surplus or deficit at the end of the month based on your monthly income and expenses.

• Location-specific resources: Find out about your state's debt laws on National Debt Relief’s website. If National Debt Relief does not operate in your state, you can still learn about ways to manage your debt.

• Quick qualification: Fill out a short form on National Debt Relief’s website to see if you qualify for debt relief. A representative will contact you quickly to help you figure out your next move.

• Customer success record: Over 99.9 percent of National Debt Relief's clients pay off their debts and do not need to return for future help.

• Best for: overspenders and people dealing with consumer debt.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg