2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.83/5
Based on 3,186 ratings submitted in the last year

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the nation. Our goal is to help clients re-establish financial stability and peace of mind in the least amount of time possible. We will work hard to provide experience and proven results through education and individual customer care.

We want individuals to achieve freedom from financial debt by receiving debt reduction services and financial consultations so that they will continue to live debt-free. Call today to learn more!

National Debt Relief Video
BOTTOM LINE

National Debt Relief works best for those with a minimum debt of $10,000. Although you will need to pay a portion based on the debt settled, National Debt Relief can help consumers escape the cycle of debt and become financially independent.

PROS
  • No-charge initial consultation
  • Free debt relief quote
  • Numerous accreditations
CONS
  • Will need to pay percentage of debt settled

Top National Debt Relief Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Debt Relief?

They were very helpful. I feel better about my future. Can't wait to be debt free. I have a program I can keep. Without this help I could not get out of debt and I was scared. They made a payment plan I could afford.

All members of the staff that assisted me with getting the process started and finalizing enrollment were very helpful and knowledgeable … Thank you National Debt Relief for helping me with these tough and nerve-wracking times.

National Debt Relief Get Started

What is National Debt Relief?

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the United States. National Debt Relief provides consumers freedom from financial debt by offering debt reduction services, as well as financial consultations. They have successfully negotiated settlements for thousands of collection amounts. Most cases settle within 24-48 months.

National Debt Relief is a BBB Accredited Business. They also have IAPDA (International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators) accreditations for all of their Debt Arbitrators and an AFCC (American Fair Credit Council) membership. Located in New York, National Debt Relief offers nationwide service.

How does National Debt Relief work?

To qualify for National Debt relief, you must:

• Be able to make a monthly payment into a settlement fund
  • Owe more than $10,000
  • Be several months behind on payments
  • Going through a financial crisis with no quick end in sight (such as recent job loss, reduction in hours, separation or divorce, death of a spouse, unexpected hospital or medical bills, student loans, IRS takes, etc.)

National Debt Relief works with your creditors to try and agree on a settlement for your debts with lower payments. Although successful with numerous debt settlements, each situation of debt is unique. Therefore, National Debt Relief is unable to guarantee identical or similar results for every client. Also, they cannot guarantee creditors will agree to a settlement.

You can call National Debt Relief today for a free consultation or click “Visit Website.”

National Debt Relief services

National Debt Relief provides a variety of debt and financial services, including:

• Debt settlement assistance
    This remains one of the best options to get rid of debt. While debt settlement assistance works for some people, getting a debt settlement workable and approved can be a complicated process. Having negotiated settlements for thousands of creditors and collection accounts, National Debt Relief has established themselves as experts in the field.
  • Free budget planner worksheets
    To get on top of debt, you must have a handle on all of your income and expenses. National Debt Relief makes this step a lot easier by providing a free budget planner worksheet. You can easily download this worksheet and plug in all avenues of income as well as areas of expense.
  • Free debt calculator
    One of the best ways to overcome debt is to develop a plan of action. Utilizing a debt calculator will help you do exactly that.
  • Consultations (including a free initial consultation)
    The experts at National Debt Relief understand finances, debt and accounting. Get counseling and guidance, help with your budget plan, and settle your debts with personal, invested National Debt Relief consultations.

National Debt Relief FAQ

How much does National Debt Relief cost?
You can expect National Debt Relief to charge 15-25% of your enrolled debt. National Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees or cost to sign up. Additionally, initial debt consultations are free. Any National Debt Relief fees that will be billed is entirely performance-based. You don’t pay until you get your debt settled, and payments depend on how substantial a settlement you are awarded.
How does National Debt Relief affect your credit?
If you decide to enter a debt settlement program, your credit score may be adversely affected. However, it is often a better option than filing for bankruptcy.

Does National Debt Relief work?

We recommend National Debt Relief given their impressive collection of proven success and many top accreditations. They also have a nearly 5-star rating on ConsumerAffairs with over 36,000 reviews recorded. National Debt Relief also offers a good supply of free services and valuable information on their website to help clients understand debt settlement. Enrolling in a National Debt Relief program offers consumers a chance at escaping debt, and for that reason we recommend them.

National Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2016

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Debt Relief?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I have four things for National Debt Relief to collect on and they've done two. The way I get it, if I owe eight grand on a credit card, NDR contacts the credit card company and asks if they are willing to settle for four. The credit card company says they are willing to settle for five. So, NDR says okay and sends me a thing asking if I am willing to pay the five. And I say yes or no. The only problem I've had is, on the last payment schedule, they told me that the creditor wanted $10 a month for eight months. I find that hard to believe. I said I would give them $80 and let's shorten it by eight months. It was odd and I said that I didn’t want to accept those terms. They said the creditor could back out. I said that the creditor would be absolutely stupid to back out. It was funny how they called me back five minutes later and said that the creditor agreed to take 20 bucks a month instead of 10 bucks.

NDR spreads it all out rather than stuff it together. They're collecting a fee every month and the company that does something for them collects a fee every month. So, I'm paying as much in fees as I am in paying off the debt. Other than that, I've been okay. I'm paying my bills off and in another year or two, hopefully, I'll say that everybody's done.

I had a big debt. It was 25 grand and that's a lot of money to me. I owned my business and in 2015, I was making money hand over fist. Everything was great and I put things on the card. I would just pay those. Then all of a sudden, a couple of years later, I was getting eaten up with interest and business had slowed way down, and I got myself in a hole. There is no debtors prison, so I could have said screw them all and ruin my credit completely. But I've ruined my credit by going through them anyways because it still shows as four credit things in default, even though I'm doing my best to pay them off. I'm a business owner so I applied with the SBA for a loan, hoping that I could pay a couple of those credit cards off with a high interest on them. The SBA turned me down because I have bad credit.

I have bad credit because I chose to pay off the four accounts. By being responsible and taking blame for what I've done, and that is build up a bunch of credit or have a bunch of credit that money is due, I'm being chastised because I'm being a good guy. It almost makes me feel like throwing all the bills in the trash and just let them send me bills and harass me on the phone. That was one thing that National Debt Relief did. I got phone calls and I gave the 800 number and told them to call NDR or I write on the credit card statement the address and tell them to send the bill there. But the bills and the phone calls have stopped so that's nice. In hindsight, if I had I to do it again, I would have just dealt with the credit card companies myself. But NDR has helped.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

My debts were getting out of control and I did not want to file for bankruptcy. This was my best option after doing research. Based on all of the consumer reviews and Better Business Bureau reviews, I decided that National Debt Relief would be the best one to go with despite them being the most expensive one. Supposedly, they are quickest way to resolve these debts. Everything comes with a cost and if you want good service, you have to pay for it. National Debt Relief has the reputation and the credibility with the creditors and with the larger banks that they are able to successfully have better settlements. That alone is worth the cost.

The process was seamless. It was initially in the beginning of the pandemic so everything was up in the air but the rep was very helpful. She took her time to explain everything to me step by step. I had a million questions for her and she patiently answered all my questions. We didn't discuss any settlement numbers. No one can tell what that's going to be until you're settling with the creditor but we did a financial analysis and came up with a number that I thought I would feel comfortable with and that's what comes out of my checking account every month. There were six creditors on the plan. One is paid off and two are in a program already where they are paying monthly. One of my surprises was the 20% fee of the total debt that they collect. I was not aware that they would go that high. But at the end of the day, I'm still saving more than 50% on average on each creditor so it still works out.

The process has been very clear too. For the two settlements that I've done, it was done by a text message where I got a message saying "We have an offer from the creditor. Would you like to accept it, yes or no?" It's easy. I'm able to manage my finances better since working with National Debt Relief. I'm able to save more. The fact that I provided a phone number and address for the creditors to contact them directly is great because I have not received a single phone call from anybody. My credit score has gone up too. At least for the debt that I had settled, it was written as paid in full monthly, not the full amount. Overall, National Debt Relief is a great company. I'm very happy that I went with them. The account managers are very friendly and very knowledgeable. They work with you. They're open to making things as smooth and easy as possible to benefit the debtor.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I was in the middle of searching for help, and in the process of looking through different things I was finding on the internet, I got a phone call from someone who said that they were with a debt and credit resolution company. I took him up on his offer. He sent me a contract, I signed it and I sent it back. I started paying him for services. And it was a scam. I started doing background checks here and comparing phone numbers with names I was given and people I had talked to, and things weren't seeming normal. And I paid them a lot of money.

The guy that I spoke to most frequently is in Florida, and I discovered he had a very long criminal record. Glad I'm in Virginia. But I thought, "I want my money back. How can I do this?" I can't blow off at them. We're not going to get anything. I gotta figure out a way to handle him nicely so that he will pay me. I told him I wanted out of the contract. I said it just wasn't working for me. He was upset. I just told him there was something that didn't seem right about it. I left a fax. He didn't respond for a while and I got in touch with the local police department down there. I made copies of everything I had and I wrote them in a letter and sent a file. He wanted money wired to him and I didn't yet know how a real debt resolution company handled that part, so I know that sounds stupid and I did it. But I have all the receipts.

I got lucky. A detective called me back. I said, "I've gone back as far as I could." I did close out three cards through him. I settled on my own. But going back through previous statements, I noticed charges on there for personal things in the area where he lives. I mentioned that to this detective and he said, "Okay. I'll call you back." He called him into the station and the guy broke down crying. He said, "I don't want to go back to prison." He was giving him a choice. It just made me feel so old. He said to the guy, "If this was your mother, would you want this to happen to her?" He immediately paid back what he charged. The detective told me, "If he doesn't continue making payments to you on a regular basis, call me and I'll go back out to his house." That worked for a little bit and then it stopped.

I had a lot of health issues come up lately that I've had to pay for. So I thought, "God, I wish I had that. He still owes me $2,000. I wish I had it. What can I do?” So I called the detective back in it. It's his cell phone through the police department. It would dial the number and that just sort of disconnect. I thought, "Oh, God, I've ruined things with him. He's not answering his phone now." I finally emailed them by yesterday through the police department and told them, "This is the name of the detective I was working with. Here's all the information I have on this person, where he lives and ladidadida. He still owes me $2,000, what can I do?" I wanted advice on how I can manage this.

It turns out that detective retired in December, and I didn't know it. I did get a call back from the state attorney's office a while ago, and they gave me the number for that station again and said to call and see if I could get them to get hold of that file and see if there was someone there that could help me. After that, I thought I still need help. I could see how negotiations went by that time because the guy that they were using to negotiate was horrible. He was so rude. It was a three-way call, and I would hear it. Then sometimes they cut that guy out of the conversation, and I wouldn't know it, and then there I am battling for myself. It was awful. But the bottom line was I needed to get out of debt. I shouldn't be retired. I'm not married anymore. I've got a house, a car, and I've got bill. I shouldn't be in this situation at this stage in my life. I want out of it.

I found National Debt. I called and I spoke to somebody for a long time. I told him part of that story. I just told him what kind of bills I have. So far, it's worked well. I'm a cancer survivor and that causes lots of things in the years beyond surviving and other things go haywire will happen sooner. So I got cataracts. Last year, I didn't have them. This year, they're there to the point where they need to be removed. The surprise was if you wanted lenses that allowed you to see at a distance and close up, you had to pay $3,000 per eye.

So, I called National and I had no idea that they would go along with this. But I said, "I'm sort of frantic. I can't afford those lenses but there is a certain process, method that they use to take the cataract out that cost money and I don't have it, as long as this $867 comes out of my account for National Debt." They said, “Oh, they get calls like that all the time. How much money do you need?" I said, "I had to make a couple phone calls to get an exact amount." I was able to get both eyes done. They were separated by months because of COVID. It should be one week and the other one was two weeks later. Now, I'm back in the hole with other issues with bone in my jaw from the drugs that causes bone loss that I took after chemotherapy.

I'm in the middle of that now and the last time I spoke with somebody at National, I did realize that when I asked them to stop for a few months so I could get my eyes done, I realize that that meant that the negotiation side that had already taken place with Chase was then over. I said, “No, I didn't even think about that. Does that make it harder to renegotiate with them? How does that affect their willingness?” I also worry about the taxes. I didn't think about the fact that the money that they didn't receive the full amount is taxable income.

Original review: June 23, 2020

National Debt Relief was very easy to work with. They were very understanding. They explained their service in detail and no small question that was asked did they ever say, “Well, we’ve already gone over that,” or, “That’s in the information that you’re receiving.” They always took the time to answer any questions and concerns. Everybody I’ve ever spoken with there has always been very professional and very prompt to make any change or adjustment that was ever needed. I’m still a customer of theirs and any time anyone has called and said, “Well, this is what I’m trying to negotiate,” or, “This is what I’m able to negotiate. Are you willing to accept that?” Or, “Should we try to do something else?” They present the information to you and it’s your decision whether you want to accept that or if you don’t.

I needed to lower my payment for a couple of months, and I called them and they were able to help me lower it but I was still able to meet the payments that they had already put in place, even by being able to reduce my payment for a couple of months. And then I went back to my normal payment. I like their kindness, friendliness, ability to sell their service not by just reading off a script but by being able to explain exactly what they’re reading, explain how it would affect you as a person. It wasn’t about selling the service for them. It was about taking an individual need and being able to provide them with an offer that allowed them to meet and handle the bills that they had, but being able to do it while still being able to live each month. Not taking everything that a person had.

They listened to what the client had to say. They didn’t go in with a sales established motive on their end. They were there to listen to you and understand you and try to explain how they could help you, and if they couldn’t, they explained that as well. And the one thing I really appreciated was when we initially started this program, they said, “Well, these are the things that you have on your credit that we see that we can help you settle.” And then a couple of weeks or possibly even a month later, I got a phone call from them and said that they had found one other item, did I know about it and would I like to add it to what I already had. It did not increase my payment any, but they added it. And I’ve been fortunate enough to have already paid off that bill.

Being able to work with them and knowing that they’re working for my best interest makes things much more peaceful. You’re not concerned that every phone call you’re getting or every time your phone rings, it’s a debt collector and they want more from you. They help give you a peace of mind. That payment you’re making each month, you might say, “Wow, that comes at a really bad time,” but you go back and look at your account and say, “You know what? I’ve got one more payment on this bill and that bill’s gonna be all paid off,” or, “I can’t believe the negotiated fee they were able to get or the negotiated amount they were able to get me so that I can settle this account.” For me, it’s not wanting to pay my bills. They’re my bills. I made them, I created them so I need to pay them. I needed an avenue which to be able to pay those bills each month but still be able to have money to meet my needs each month.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Even though I realized that I needed to address my current financial situation, especially after my last employer, E-T TRADE, gained access to my Capital One credit card account and was able to manipulate previously charged company purchases made with my account by "returning" reimbursement payments made from the company business checking account, and by making fraudulent payments by either closing the business checking accounts after payment, then repeating this process over and over with other company accounts, the entire time, Capital One continued to accept payments through several cycles of payment returns.

So after a week's time, the purchased items of 1 Apple MacBookPro for $3,000. and 1 iPhone for $1,000 plus shipping for each item to Hong Kong at $700 became a $10,000 fraud spree and I became the victim. The contract I signed along with the CEO of E-T Trade when I was offered the job of Purchasing Manager, specified that I would use my personal credit card for all purchases for the initial probationary period, made the impression that the security of my credit card was covered.

Capital One finally froze my account after two weeks after several urgent requests from me, The total balance on MY card became $10,127.00. My supervisor and the CEO of E-T Trade vanished and stoped responding to all attempts of communication by me. I reported this immediately to local Florida law enforcement, but to deaf ears. And I was not paid my salary for the weeks I worked. I no longer trust myself.

This is why I have come to National Debt Relief. I have no choice. The Capital One account is in my name and the fraud department with Capital One, declared there was nothing that they could do. I was responsible. Period. I contacted your company today, after reading positive reviews online and was very fortunate to connect with Certified Debt Specialist, Shomari **. This was a fateful pairing and connection. He might be one of the most patient and caring individuals that I have ever interacted with. His knowledge and his ability to gain a stranger's trust is beyond description. As uncomfortable as it was to explain my new reality, as I have been searching for a way to manage this nightmare. A situation that I still am having nightmares every night and questioning my own judgement at every minute of every day, Shomari offered perhaps the only option I had left.

Before long, I felt a glimmer of hope for the very first time in over a month. I still owe this substantial amount of money but the sting is less painful, thanks to his impressive ability to remain patient and ever so very sensitive to my financial future, I sincerely thank Shomari and thank National Debt Relief for hiring him. The young lady that assisted me with wrapping up my application process in a very detailed but still warm and caring manner, was another fine example of personal customer service that I consider a lifeline. I appreciated her warm personality and comforting attitude.

Definitely a true 100% effort by the staff definitely makes it easy to share my experience with friends and family. By the way, I am planning to close on a home purchase by the end of the month and during the events leading up to contacting NDR this afternoon, I did not think I was going to make it this far. For most, this experience would be traumatic under any circumstances, but as I approach my 62nd birthday, I genially feel that this might be my best birthday present ever! Thank you, all. Bill

Original review: April 30, 2021

I don't know if I am able to list specific names, but Micah and Kenny are both AMAZING!!! They are genuine, professional, compassionate and provided the BEST customer service I have EVER experienced!!! They truly listen to your concerns!!! NEVER had they been pushy salesmen... it is all about me and my needs!!

Original review: April 29, 2021

The service was very efficient. It was much quicker than I expected it to be. I dealt with a knowledgeable broker. I am relieved to have the debt resolved. I am looking forward to having the amount come down over the next 53 months.

Original review: April 28, 2021

The representative who helped me enroll was very friendly and knowledgeable. She explained everything in detail in a way that was easy to understand. I will be very happy to recommend your company to other people I know who might benefit from your services.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I had a great experience the whole way through the process of signing up. Everyone was very knowledgeable and helpful and explained everything. I like the plan options and how they were able to make it work with my budget. I am pleased with my experience.

Original review: April 28, 2021

I can't say enough about Johnathan, who assisted me in getting the process started. Johnathan was kind, explained everything thoroughly and stayed with me through every step. That night was the first time I have slept soundly in months. Thank you, Johnathan, for helping me through this process. God bless you!

National Debt Relief Company Information