2. Finance

Call ConsumerAffairs Toll Free
Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.88/5
Based on 8,499 ratings submitted in the last year

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the nation. Our goal is to help clients re-establish financial stability and peace of mind in the least amount of time possible. We will work hard to provide experience and proven results through education and individual customer care.

We want individuals to achieve freedom from financial debt by receiving debt reduction services and financial consultations so that they will continue to live debt-free. Call today to learn more!

National Debt Relief Video

BOTTOM LINE

National Debt Relief works best for those with a minimum debt of $10,000. Although you will need to pay a portion based on the debt settled, National Debt Relief can help consumers escape the cycle of debt and become financially independent.

PROS

• No-charge initial consultation
  • Free debt relief quote
  • Numerous accreditations

CONS

• Will need to pay percentage of debt settled

Top National Debt Relief Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Debt Relief?

They were very helpful. I feel better about my future. Can't wait to be debt free. I have a program I can keep. Without this help I could not get out of debt and I was scared. They made a payment plan I could afford.

All members of the staff that assisted me with getting the process started and finalizing enrollment were very helpful and knowledgeable … Thank you National Debt Relief for helping me with these tough and nerve-wracking times.

National Debt Relief Call ConsumerAffairs (855) 381-0979 Get Started
Call ConsumerAffairs

What is National Debt Relief?

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the United States. National Debt Relief provides consumers freedom from financial debt by offering debt reduction services, as well as financial consultations. They have successfully negotiated settlements for thousands of collection amounts. Most cases settle within 24-48 months.

National Debt Relief is a BBB Accredited Business. They also have IAPDA (International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators) accreditations for all of their Debt Arbitrators and an AFCC (American Fair Credit Council) membership. Located in New York, National Debt Relief offers nationwide service.

How does National Debt Relief work?

To qualify for National Debt relief, you must:

• Be able to make a monthly payment into a settlement fund
  • Owe more than $10,000
  • Be several months behind on payments
  • Going through a financial crisis with no quick end in sight (such as recent job loss, reduction in hours, separation or divorce, death of a spouse, unexpected hospital or medical bills, student loans, IRS takes, etc.)

National Debt Relief works with your creditors to try and agree on a settlement for your debts with lower payments. Although successful with numerous debt settlements, each situation of debt is unique. Therefore, National Debt Relief is unable to guarantee identical or similar results for every client. Also, they cannot guarantee creditors will agree to a settlement.

You can call National Debt Relief today for a free consultation or click “Visit Website.”

National Debt Relief services

National Debt Relief provides a variety of debt and financial services, including:

• Debt settlement assistance
    This remains one of the best options to get rid of debt. While debt settlement assistance works for some people, getting a debt settlement workable and approved can be a complicated process. Having negotiated settlements for thousands of creditors and collection accounts, National Debt Relief has established themselves as experts in the field.
  • Free budget planner worksheets
    To get on top of debt, you must have a handle on all of your income and expenses. National Debt Relief makes this step a lot easier by providing a free budget planner worksheet. You can easily download this worksheet and plug in all avenues of income as well as areas of expense.
  • Free debt calculator
    One of the best ways to overcome debt is to develop a plan of action. Utilizing a debt calculator will help you do exactly that.
  • Consultations (including a free initial consultation)
    The experts at National Debt Relief understand finances, debt and accounting. Get counseling and guidance, help with your budget plan, and settle your debts with personal, invested National Debt Relief consultations.

National Debt Relief FAQ

How much does National Debt Relief cost?
You can expect National Debt Relief to charge 15-25% of your enrolled debt. National Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees or cost to sign up. Additionally, initial debt consultations are free. Any National Debt Relief fees that will be billed is entirely performance-based. You don’t pay until you get your debt settled, and payments depend on how substantial a settlement you are awarded.
How does National Debt Relief affect your credit?
If you decide to enter a debt settlement program, your credit score may be adversely affected. However, it is often a better option than filing for bankruptcy.

Does National Debt Relief work?

We recommend National Debt Relief given their impressive collection of proven success and many top accreditations. They also have a nearly 5-star rating on ConsumerAffairs with over 36,000 reviews recorded. National Debt Relief also offers a good supply of free services and valuable information on their website to help clients understand debt settlement. Enrolling in a National Debt Relief program offers consumers a chance at escaping debt, and for that reason we recommend them.

National Debt Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Debt Relief?

Original review: June 23, 2020

National Debt Relief was very easy to work with. They were very understanding. They explained their service in detail and no small question that was asked did they ever say, “Well, we’ve already gone over that,” or, “That’s in the information that you’re receiving.” They always took the time to answer any questions and concerns. Everybody I’ve ever spoken with there has always been very professional and very prompt to make any change or adjustment that was ever needed. I’m still a customer of theirs and any time anyone has called and said, “Well, this is what I’m trying to negotiate,” or, “This is what I’m able to negotiate. Are you willing to accept that?” Or, “Should we try to do something else?” They present the information to you and it’s your decision whether you want to accept that or if you don’t.

I needed to lower my payment for a couple of months, and I called them and they were able to help me lower it but I was still able to meet the payments that they had already put in place, even by being able to reduce my payment for a couple of months. And then I went back to my normal payment. I like their kindness, friendliness, ability to sell their service not by just reading off a script but by being able to explain exactly what they’re reading, explain how it would affect you as a person. It wasn’t about selling the service for them. It was about taking an individual need and being able to provide them with an offer that allowed them to meet and handle the bills that they had, but being able to do it while still being able to live each month. Not taking everything that a person had.

They listened to what the client had to say. They didn’t go in with a sales established motive on their end. They were there to listen to you and understand you and try to explain how they could help you, and if they couldn’t, they explained that as well. And the one thing I really appreciated was when we initially started this program, they said, “Well, these are the things that you have on your credit that we see that we can help you settle.” And then a couple of weeks or possibly even a month later, I got a phone call from them and said that they had found one other item, did I know about it and would I like to add it to what I already had. It did not increase my payment any, but they added it. And I’ve been fortunate enough to have already paid off that bill.

Being able to work with them and knowing that they’re working for my best interest makes things much more peaceful. You’re not concerned that every phone call you’re getting or every time your phone rings, it’s a debt collector and they want more from you. They help give you a peace of mind. That payment you’re making each month, you might say, “Wow, that comes at a really bad time,” but you go back and look at your account and say, “You know what? I’ve got one more payment on this bill and that bill’s gonna be all paid off,” or, “I can’t believe the negotiated fee they were able to get or the negotiated amount they were able to get me so that I can settle this account.” For me, it’s not wanting to pay my bills. They’re my bills. I made them, I created them so I need to pay them. I needed an avenue which to be able to pay those bills each month but still be able to have money to meet my needs each month.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2020

Even though I realized that I needed to address my current financial situation, especially after my last employer, E-T TRADE, gained access to my Capital One credit card account and was able to manipulate previously charged company purchases made with my account by "returning" reimbursement payments made from the company business checking account, and by making fraudulent payments by either closing the business checking accounts after payment, then repeating this process over and over with other company accounts, the entire time, Capital One continued to accept payments through several cycles of payment returns.

So after a week's time, the purchased items of 1 Apple MacBookPro for $3,000. and 1 iPhone for $1,000 plus shipping for each item to Hong Kong at $700 became a $10,000 fraud spree and I became the victim. The contract I signed along with the CEO of E-T Trade when I was offered the job of Purchasing Manager, specified that I would use my personal credit card for all purchases for the initial probationary period, made the impression that the security of my credit card was covered.

Capital One finally froze my account after two weeks after several urgent requests from me, The total balance on MY card became $10,127.00. My supervisor and the CEO of E-T Trade vanished and stoped responding to all attempts of communication by me. I reported this immediately to local Florida law enforcement, but to deaf ears. And I was not paid my salary for the weeks I worked. I no longer trust myself.

This is why I have come to National Debt Relief. I have no choice. The Capital One account is in my name and the fraud department with Capital One, declared there was nothing that they could do. I was responsible. Period. I contacted your company today, after reading positive reviews online and was very fortunate to connect with Certified Debt Specialist, Shomari **. This was a fateful pairing and connection. He might be one of the most patient and caring individuals that I have ever interacted with. His knowledge and his ability to gain a stranger's trust is beyond description. As uncomfortable as it was to explain my new reality, as I have been searching for a way to manage this nightmare. A situation that I still am having nightmares every night and questioning my own judgement at every minute of every day, Shomari offered perhaps the only option I had left.

Before long, I felt a glimmer of hope for the very first time in over a month. I still owe this substantial amount of money but the sting is less painful, thanks to his impressive ability to remain patient and ever so very sensitive to my financial future, I sincerely thank Shomari and thank National Debt Relief for hiring him. The young lady that assisted me with wrapping up my application process in a very detailed but still warm and caring manner, was another fine example of personal customer service that I consider a lifeline. I appreciated her warm personality and comforting attitude.

Definitely a true 100% effort by the staff definitely makes it easy to share my experience with friends and family. By the way, I am planning to close on a home purchase by the end of the month and during the events leading up to contacting NDR this afternoon, I did not think I was going to make it this far. For most, this experience would be traumatic under any circumstances, but as I approach my 62nd birthday, I genially feel that this might be my best birthday present ever! Thank you, all. Bill

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

An acquaintance of ours had used National Debt Relief and told us that the program was going well after about a year. They talked about how well they communicated and got some really good settlements for them. I had quite a bit of credit card debts and unsecured loan debt over the last two years from some family issues with supporting several family members and elderly care of parents. And when I called National Debt Relief, I was feeling very overwhelmed. But they were very organized, and they seem to know exactly what was going on, which gave me a lot of confidence on the program. When we were done with the phone call, and I talked to my wife, we decided that that was probably the way to go because we wanna pay some of our debts back.

We were simply asking for some help. National Debt Relief seemed to be the best alternative because morally, we were having an issue with just saying, "We're gonna declare bankruptcy and write it all off." Their program was attractive to us even though they're getting a discounted rate. We felt like we're still being responsible for the debt we incurred. We're just saving some interest.

So far, they settled about four of our debts, and I've had nothing but good things to say. They've called me as soon as they got the offer. They advised me that they thought it was a good offer. They said it was up to me if I wanna choose it, but they gave me the pros and cons. And I felt like they let me make an educated decision. I didn't feel like they were forcing me into something to help them. They were really trying to help me. So, we have 4 resolved, and 12 outstanding. That's 25% through in less than a year. So, I'm very happy with that.

After I did the initial assessment and put everything in and they gave me my payment, about a week later, I was driving along, and I remembered that I had another outstanding debt that I did not tell them about. I remembered because the payment came out of my account. So, I was really in a panic because it wasn't a small amount, but it wasn't a huge amount. And I called, and they were very reassuring and said, "You know what, that's no big deal. There's plenty of budget room within your payment and in your settlement that we should have no problem with that." I didn't have the account number because it was an older account. All I did was told them who it was and they had that resolved in a matter of like 10 minutes. They had it added to my list and my payment didn't change. So, I was very happy about the way they handled it. I would call it an add-on debt.

We're not completely done, but I'm definitely very happy with them. I did already recommend someone to try it out because they were also struggling morally with just dumping their responsibilities. What I found with National Debt Relief is they made me feel better because the counselors said, "Look, you've already paid them what you owe them, now you're paying all these interests. And what we're gonna do is settle for what you really used," and I really like that. It made me feel better about myself. I like the way they handled it. They didn't make me feel like I was some loser because I was in this situation. They made me feel I was very reassured that they would handle it.

They were very honest because I thought there's gotta be a trick to this. Somebody is making money, somebody is paying things. I was surprised on how open they were about, "This is what the deposits are. These are the fees. This is how much we make." Even after that first call, I didn't feel like they were hiding anything at all. It was very transparent. They tell you how they make money, and they tell you how they're gonna help you. And so far, I've made seven months. In that seven months, they've been exactly as they promised.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

Updated on 06/12/2020: I signed on December 5th and the negotiators were great. When I call people on the telephone and ask them to do stuff or email, I get prompt response. I would recommend them. But there is a glitch in the system that is making me very unhappy. They contact the creditors one at a time, make the arrangements, and then move on. I had to pull out one of them. It was a credit card with my bank. I was gonna lose my bank if something didn’t happen. They were gonna kick me out and I was gonna have to find another bank.

I talked to somebody yesterday and they said I was being charged off. I replied that I've been told that and if they look in their records, they would see that I called on January 13th and told them about all of these. I had one of the other creditors suddenly put a charge through on my account yesterday so I'm in the process of trying to get that refunded because I don’t have the extra $379 to pay them because I put money in my National Debt Relief account.

This is not National Debt Relief’s fault. This is not even their system. Those people look at their records and they said, “Oh, I see. On December 2nd, you said to stop this, and whoever pushed the button that day for OneMain took it off for six months, and then, here we are.” They start it up again without any notification to me. It's totally not re-upped. But that is OneMain’s fault. That is not National Debt Relief. But have they called and made arrangements, then it would have been a different deal. They wouldn’t be trying to do it. So that’s where there's glitch in the system.

I would like National Debt Relief to have called people and said, “We are going to be working on this, but we cannot make arrangements now because we don’t have enough money in the account to pay you.” They're waiting till the money gets built up in my account so they can start paying those. But they haven’t called and told the creditors anything. The creditors have not received any information except from me so they are still coming after me. But I know that once they negotiate it, it has to be accepted immediately, and that’s why they don’t call, but it's put me in a difficult situation with two creditors.

Original Review: It was difficult to communicate by phone with matching work hours and me being unable to to talk during the school day. Vanessa was very patient. I would have liked an advance written description of the program in bullet fashion before I actually completed the application. There are many things to think about and when I got the welcome call, I realized that there were some important details I really didn't process in advance. This made the process feel somewhat like calls from a bill collector in that you are making decisions on the fly, People kept asking me if I had any questions but I didn't even remember what to ask about. I am pretty scared right now about letting my debts go bad before anything happens to repair the situation.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

My experience with National Debt Relief was 80% positive. They’ve been great. There were a couple of things I wasn’t aware of that caused a bit of a problem. We settled on a monthly amount. They said that that would work throughout my course of them paying off my bills. Then a couple of months later, they got a call and they said they settled with another company, and that they needed more a month. I had told them that the amount I had agreed to was making it difficult for me, but I would do it as long as I didn’t get any surprises. So, that was a surprise but it was a little under $100 so I agreed to it. Then a couple of months later, they said, “We’ve settled another debt and we need X amount more.” And I said, “I can’t pay you more.” They said, “We can’t work with this company. We’ll have to wait to work with them until you can afford to give us that mount of money.”

But then they called again and said that there was a third one and if I could I give them a bit more. I did agree to that. So now, I make three payments to them and not the original payment. That is something I wish would’ve been a bit more clear. I had 10 debts and right now, I’m paying on 5 and they’re negotiating with the next 5. However, they were negotiating with them before I had funds available to give them, and that has caused a hardship, but I’m doing it. If they’re gonna agree to take $300 a month, they need to work with those that fit in to that $300. So, I didn’t understand that. I also don’t know what’s gonna happen to my credit after this whole thing’s over, which I’m sure it’s gonna be bad. But considering the alternative, I wasn’t able to make my payments. So, that part was good.

Their program was straightforward and the negotiator was very accommodating. I just got a little lazy on my end because I was so stressed out by this whole thing. I should have read more and probably looked a bit more up online, but the bottom line is I needed to do something. This was the best resolution and they explained things very well to me. They were very nice people. They seem sympathetic, but I realized they were also salespeople in a sense because they wanted you to sign up with their program, not someone else’s. But they made me feel very comfortable about it. I did have several questions and they answered them matter-of-factly so that I understood what was going to happen. They were very friendly and I didn’t feel like I was doing something bad because they have a business to sell.

Now, I had a couple of emergencies with my dogs and I had to beg, borrow, and steal with my vet to make payments to him. I had a CareCredit card as one of the cards that I had that NDR now control over. I cannot use any charge accounts at all or apply for any, or at least that was the impression I got. I was afraid I was gonna have to put one of my dogs down because I wasn’t able to pay for it, but I did work things out with my vet.

Also, it gets over 100 degrees during the summer here on a daily basis. I’m a senior citizen and my air conditioner broke about one month into summer. And then we have very hot weather for several months. I did without an air conditioner this summer because I didn’t have the money to pay to have that done. I still don’t have an air conditioner and I don’t know of next summer, but it was miserable. I understand this is only for three years, but I figure I can do anything for three years. At any rate, suffered some from that, I got sick and I pay for a bit less groceries each month too, but I did it. And I’m learning how to become debt-free and not live on cards.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

Gary and Anthony were a pleasure to work with. They are a good indication of what to expect from NDR in the future. Both were very patient with the whole process and were very helpful in answering any questions/concerns I had.

National Debt Relief response

Hi , thank you for the review. We love when our clients take time to let us know how happy they are! We’re happy you experienced our best-in-class service and results, and we hope to keep on delivering.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

My experience was great with National Debt Relief. The representatives were very informative and professional, and all very polite, kind people willing to answer my questions and get me the help I needed, and to inform me how to become debt-free.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

When I called NDR, I was hoping for a reliable alternative to bankruptcy. I found exactly that. My initial phone call was with Mr. Jay **. He was cordial and very knowledgeable. He answered all of my questions and exhibited patience as he explained the process. I'm very glad I made the phone call and I look forward to a successful outcome.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I was treated very well and everything was explained properly. I feel confident that this program will help me out. I want to give the specialist Rodney ** special thanks for all his help. I also hope to tell others about this program so that they also can achieve debt relief.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

Knowledgeable company. I was very pleased on working with the two individuals and walking me through preparing to become debt-free. They were very understanding on my financial situation. It was a pleasure working with the both of them. This company was very professional.

National Debt Relief Company Information