Get Started

2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

4.8/5 (1100 ratings)

About National Debt Relief

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the nation. Our goal is to help clients re-establish financial stability and peace of mind in the least amount of time possible. We will work hard to provide experience and proven results through education and individual customer care.

Pros

• No-charge initial consultation
    • Free debt relief quote
    • Numerous accreditations

Cons

• Will need to pay percentage of debt settled

Bottom Line

National Debt Relief works best for those with a minimum debt of $10,000. Although you will need to pay a portion based on the debt settled, National Debt Relief can help consumers escape the cycle of debt and become financially independent.

Top National Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They were very helpful. I feel better about my future. Can't wait to be debt free. I have a program I can keep. Without this help I could not get out of debt and I was scared. The...

Verified

All members of the staff that assisted me with getting the process started and finalizing enrollment were very helpful and knowledgeable … Thank you National Debt Relief for helpi...

What is National Debt Relief?

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the United States. National Debt Relief provides consumers freedom from financial debt by offering debt reduction services, as well as financial consultations. They have successfully negotiated settlements for thousands of collection amounts. Most cases settle within 24-48 months.

National Debt Relief is a BBB Accredited Business. They also have IAPDA (International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators) accreditations for all of their Debt Arbitrators and an AFCC (American Fair Credit Council) membership. Located in New York, National Debt Relief offers nationwide service.

How does National Debt Relief work?

To qualify for National Debt relief, you must:

• Be able to make a monthly payment into a settlement fund
    • Owe more than $10,000
    • Be several months behind on payments
    • Going through a financial crisis with no quick end in sight (such as recent job loss, reduction in hours, separation or divorce, death of a spouse, unexpected hospital or medical bills, student loans, IRS takes, etc.)

National Debt Relief works with your creditors to try and agree on a settlement for your debts with lower payments. Although successful with numerous debt settlements, each situation of debt is unique. Therefore, National Debt Relief is unable to guarantee identical or similar results for every client. Also, they cannot guarantee creditors will agree to a settlement.

You can call National Debt Relief today for a free consultation or click “Visit Website.”

National Debt Relief services

National Debt Relief provides a variety of debt and financial services, including:

• Debt settlement assistance
      This remains one of the best options to get rid of debt. While debt settlement assistance works for some people, getting a debt settlement workable and approved can be a complicated process. Having negotiated settlements for thousands of creditors and collection accounts, National Debt Relief has established themselves as experts in the field.
    • Free budget planner worksheets
      To get on top of debt, you must have a handle on all of your income and expenses. National Debt Relief makes this step a lot easier by providing a free budget planner worksheet. You can easily download this worksheet and plug in all avenues of income as well as areas of expense.
    • Free debt calculator
      One of the best ways to overcome debt is to develop a plan of action. Utilizing a debt calculator will help you do exactly that.
    • Consultations (including a free initial consultation)
      The experts at National Debt Relief understand finances, debt and accounting. Get counseling and guidance, help with your budget plan, and settle your debts with personal, invested National Debt Relief consultations.

National Debt Relief FAQ

How much does National Debt Relief cost?
    You can expect National Debt Relief to charge 15-25% of your enrolled debt. National Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees or cost to sign up. Additionally, initial debt consultations are free. Any National Debt Relief fees that will be billed is entirely performance-based. You don’t pay until you get your debt settled, and payments depend on how substantial a settlement you are awarded.
    How does National Debt Relief affect your credit?
    If you decide to enter a debt settlement program, your credit score may be adversely affected. However, it is often a better option than filing for bankruptcy.

Does National Debt Relief work?

We recommend National Debt Relief given their impressive collection of proven success and many top accreditations. They also have a nearly 5-star rating on ConsumerAffairs with over 36,000 reviews recorded. National Debt Relief also offers a good supply of free services and valuable information on their website to help clients understand debt settlement. Enrolling in a National Debt Relief program offers consumers a chance at escaping debt, and for that reason we recommend them.

National Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2016

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I was with another company and I wasn't happy with their service, so I started searching for another one. National Debt Relief came up and when I called and talked to them, I was so impressed by their customer service that I had to try this company. The rep was absolutely the best. In the past, when I was able to work, I gave superior excellence as far as customer service was concerned. The gentleman that helped me was another me. He did everything and anything possible to answer all my questions and make sure that I felt comfortable. In talking to him, I felt like I knew him for the longest time and he added a little bit of his own personal statement into our initial conversation, which helped make me feel more comfortable with him and that he cared.

With the exception of COVID going on, using NDR made me a lot more relaxed and I'm not as stressed out as I was. I am glad that I'm able to pay the debtors something at least. I’m about halfway through at this point. There are many times NDR should be getting more than what they're getting for the type of service and the confidence that they instill in you. They are doing, they have been doing and they're continuing to do everything that they said they were going to do in the beginning.

I lost my vision recently. When I started losing my sight, I called them to tell them that I'm going blind and asked how I was going to continue on. They said not to worry and that they’ve got me taken care of. They told me how bad they felt that I lost my vision and that they were going to do everything possible to take care of me in a different format than they would take care of a regular sighted person. They still do everything that they did as if I were sighted, except they call me. I've given them another number that they could send a text to if I had to call them back right away, if it was an emergency. But for the most part, they call and tell me what they need to do or what needs to be done, or give an update or suggestion. So I still feel very confident in their abilities. It is wonderful and I don't know many companies today that are willing to do that. I tell them every time that they have gone over above and beyond the call of duty.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I have four things for National Debt Relief to collect on and they've done two. The way I get it, if I owe eight grand on a credit card, NDR contacts the credit card company and asks if they are willing to settle for four. The credit card company says they are willing to settle for five. So, NDR says okay and sends me a thing asking if I am willing to pay the five. And I say yes or no. The only problem I've had is, on the last payment schedule, they told me that the creditor wanted $10 a month for eight months. I find that hard to believe. I said I would give them $80 and let's shorten it by eight months. It was odd and I said that I didn’t want to accept those terms. They said the creditor could back out. I said that the creditor would be absolutely stupid to back out. It was funny how they called me back five minutes later and said that the creditor agreed to take 20 bucks a month instead of 10 bucks.

NDR spreads it all out rather than stuff it together. They're collecting a fee every month and the company that does something for them collects a fee every month. So, I'm paying as much in fees as I am in paying off the debt. Other than that, I've been okay. I'm paying my bills off and in another year or two, hopefully, I'll say that everybody's done.

I had a big debt. It was 25 grand and that's a lot of money to me. I owned my business and in 2015, I was making money hand over fist. Everything was great and I put things on the card. I would just pay those. Then all of a sudden, a couple of years later, I was getting eaten up with interest and business had slowed way down, and I got myself in a hole. There is no debtors prison, so I could have said screw them all and ruin my credit completely. But I've ruined my credit by going through them anyways because it still shows as four credit things in default, even though I'm doing my best to pay them off. I'm a business owner so I applied with the SBA for a loan, hoping that I could pay a couple of those credit cards off with a high interest on them. The SBA turned me down because I have bad credit.

I have bad credit because I chose to pay off the four accounts. By being responsible and taking blame for what I've done, and that is build up a bunch of credit or have a bunch of credit that money is due, I'm being chastised because I'm being a good guy. It almost makes me feel like throwing all the bills in the trash and just let them send me bills and harass me on the phone. That was one thing that National Debt Relief did. I got phone calls and I gave the 800 number and told them to call NDR or I write on the credit card statement the address and tell them to send the bill there. But the bills and the phone calls have stopped so that's nice. In hindsight, if I had I to do it again, I would have just dealt with the credit card companies myself. But NDR has helped.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

I've known people that used National Debt Relief before and they were able to get the debts knocked down pretty good and get some decent settlement deals. I went with them and the service was good. They tried to put me on a lower payment plan but it creates a lot of issues with the debt collectors too because they get settlement agreements that have to be honored within a certain amount of time. I couldn't promise them any set amount during this because when we got hit with this pandemic directly, I lost my job immediately after that. Unfortunately, I am unable to keep the service at this time. I was going over the debt and income ratio thing with the payments that was why we backed off on it for a while to see what's gonna happen with all this craziness.

National Debt Relief knocked off a big chunk of what I had. We went from 24,000 deep and they got it to settle down about 18,500 which wasn't bad. When we left them, we were down to 14,000 or 15,000. They were knocking it down pretty quick. The only extra step I took when I was using them was I also hired a credit lawyer to work in conjunction with them which got a lot of debts knocked right off completely, things that we didn't even have to settle up with. With the two of them working together, it improved us quite a bit. We definitely want to jump back in and get it going again. We’re waiting until we get more stability here before we make that decision and commit to it.

If the creditors don't do the paperwork properly the credit lawyers can challenge that. If their paperwork is not in line with what it should be in conjunction with the debt, they have to sign the debt right off. It disappears. National Debt Relief could knock an even larger chunk off of people's debts. How the debts work, they're hitting a lot of people with 28%, 29% interest which is ludicrous. It’s illegal everywhere else in the world except for the United States. If you're persistent with challenging that debt and that interest rate, you can get it knocked down considerably. I'd even done it myself. We've been in a situation before where we didn't even use a credit consolidation company. It’s just that we had incurred so much debt in such a short amount of time that we needed that extra assistance to get it taken care of.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

National Debt Relief is like a headhunter. Until you sign up, you would have that one person and even other people calling. Once your name is out there, they're going to keep calling you. So, once you sign up, then it's whoever answers the phone. It’s customer service. I would just ask and they answered it. They are very helpful like that. They will answer any questions you have. And if they didn’t know, they would find out. The negotiator is a completely different department. So when you call up to sign up, it's very different. They collected all the information. It was easy for me. I didn't have to go through and find whatever bills I wanted to put in the debt relief. They did that.

I'm not done. But for me, it’s costly. What I did not like about it was that they add on. They say it would be X amount of dollars. But then what they do is they say, “Oh, well, we found another creditor that you need to…” So, that will be at a different part of the month and I don't like staggered bills. If I'm gonna pay a bill, whether it's to the phone company, the insurance company, whatever it might be, I want to pay that bill once a month. That's the only drawback.

Every month, money is taken out of your account and they pay X amount of dollars. Let's say you owe $5,000 with Citibank, $500 in Credit One, whatever. They work out a deal with them and then they say, “Well, you have to pay $350 a month.” They give you about how long it would take. Two years, two and a half years. And then they work it out that way. I'd rather have the payments come out one instead of there was one here, one there. They don't just extend it to another payment. And then the payment amount changes. You could pay $20 for six months, and then all of a sudden, it's $80 for the next three months, so you really don't know.

NDR helped until I hit a speed bump. I'm in the middle of a divorce and my husband closed our checking account. I have to postpone the next month, so hopefully, they will be able to postpone it, because I've been postponing it for a few months. It would have helped if I could have stayed on the program. Other than that, I felt very comfortable and safe through the process.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

My debts were getting out of control and I did not want to file for bankruptcy. This was my best option after doing research. Based on all of the consumer reviews and Better Business Bureau reviews, I decided that National Debt Relief would be the best one to go with despite them being the most expensive one. Supposedly, they are quickest way to resolve these debts. Everything comes with a cost and if you want good service, you have to pay for it. National Debt Relief has the reputation and the credibility with the creditors and with the larger banks that they are able to successfully have better settlements. That alone is worth the cost.

The process was seamless. It was initially in the beginning of the pandemic so everything was up in the air but the rep was very helpful. She took her time to explain everything to me step by step. I had a million questions for her and she patiently answered all my questions. We didn't discuss any settlement numbers. No one can tell what that's going to be until you're settling with the creditor but we did a financial analysis and came up with a number that I thought I would feel comfortable with and that's what comes out of my checking account every month. There were six creditors on the plan. One is paid off and two are in a program already where they are paying monthly. One of my surprises was the 20% fee of the total debt that they collect. I was not aware that they would go that high. But at the end of the day, I'm still saving more than 50% on average on each creditor so it still works out.

The process has been very clear too. For the two settlements that I've done, it was done by a text message where I got a message saying "We have an offer from the creditor. Would you like to accept it, yes or no?" It's easy. I'm able to manage my finances better since working with National Debt Relief. I'm able to save more. The fact that I provided a phone number and address for the creditors to contact them directly is great because I have not received a single phone call from anybody. My credit score has gone up too. At least for the debt that I had settled, it was written as paid in full monthly, not the full amount. Overall, National Debt Relief is a great company. I'm very happy that I went with them. The account managers are very friendly and very knowledgeable. They work with you. They're open to making things as smooth and easy as possible to benefit the debtor.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Thank you for helping me resolved my outstanding debt. This is helping to improve my credit and increase my credit score. I hope to have my credit restored to its original rating where I can get lower interest rates and other credit cards like an American Express or a Black rating credit card.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

The Representative I had went above and beyond what I was expecting. They were very knowledgeable and answered my questions confidently and were very helpful when answering my questions. I now feel secure in knowing they will help me get back on track.

National Debt Relief response

Thank you! The team here at National Debt Relief is thrilled to hear such great feedback, and we’re proud to be your partners on the road to a brighter financial future.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

The call was smooth and easy. I was treated like he cared. I wasn’t ridiculed for getting into trouble. I felt hope for the first time in a long while! I feel like I will be getting financial freedom sooner than I thought.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

The best thing that could happen today, was getting in touch with NDR. After my conversation with Tim, I was able to rid myself of stress and worry. I believe he place me on the road to being free of debt, and in turn enable me to start saving more than paying credit cards. Thank you NDR., and Tim H.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

My wife and I were very pleased with Aaron ** assistance. He was very patience and handle himself very professionally, explained every detail and answered our question we had. We would highly recommend to our family and friends. Thank you.

National Debt Relief Company Information