Get Started

2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

4.8/5 (1889 ratings)

About National Debt Relief

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the nation. Our goal is to help clients re-establish financial stability and peace of mind in the least amount of time possible. We will work hard to provide experience and proven results through education and individual customer care.

Pros

• No-charge initial consultation
    • Free debt relief quote
    • Numerous accreditations

Cons

• Will need to pay percentage of debt settled

Bottom Line

National Debt Relief works best for those with a minimum debt of $10,000. Although you will need to pay a portion based on the debt settled, National Debt Relief can help consumers escape the cycle of debt and become financially independent.

Top National Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They were very helpful. I feel better about my future. Can't wait to be debt free. I have a program I can keep. Without this help I could not get out of debt and I was scared. The...

Verified

All members of the staff that assisted me with getting the process started and finalizing enrollment were very helpful and knowledgeable … Thank you National Debt Relief for helpi...

What is National Debt Relief?

National Debt Relief is one of the largest debt settlement companies in the United States. National Debt Relief provides consumers freedom from financial debt by offering debt reduction services, as well as financial consultations. They have successfully negotiated settlements for thousands of collection amounts. Most cases settle within 24-48 months.

National Debt Relief is a BBB Accredited Business. They also have IAPDA (International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators) accreditations for all of their Debt Arbitrators and an AFCC (American Fair Credit Council) membership. Located in New York, National Debt Relief offers nationwide service.

How does National Debt Relief work?

To qualify for National Debt relief, you must:

• Be able to make a monthly payment into a settlement fund
    • Owe more than $10,000
    • Be several months behind on payments
    • Going through a financial crisis with no quick end in sight (such as recent job loss, reduction in hours, separation or divorce, death of a spouse, unexpected hospital or medical bills, student loans, IRS takes, etc.)

National Debt Relief works with your creditors to try and agree on a settlement for your debts with lower payments. Although successful with numerous debt settlements, each situation of debt is unique. Therefore, National Debt Relief is unable to guarantee identical or similar results for every client. Also, they cannot guarantee creditors will agree to a settlement.

You can call National Debt Relief today for a free consultation or click “Visit Website.”

National Debt Relief services

National Debt Relief provides a variety of debt and financial services, including:

• Debt settlement assistance
      This remains one of the best options to get rid of debt. While debt settlement assistance works for some people, getting a debt settlement workable and approved can be a complicated process. Having negotiated settlements for thousands of creditors and collection accounts, National Debt Relief has established themselves as experts in the field.
    • Free budget planner worksheets
      To get on top of debt, you must have a handle on all of your income and expenses. National Debt Relief makes this step a lot easier by providing a free budget planner worksheet. You can easily download this worksheet and plug in all avenues of income as well as areas of expense.
    • Free debt calculator
      One of the best ways to overcome debt is to develop a plan of action. Utilizing a debt calculator will help you do exactly that.
    • Consultations (including a free initial consultation)
      The experts at National Debt Relief understand finances, debt and accounting. Get counseling and guidance, help with your budget plan, and settle your debts with personal, invested National Debt Relief consultations.

National Debt Relief FAQ

How much does National Debt Relief cost?
    You can expect National Debt Relief to charge 15-25% of your enrolled debt. National Debt Relief does not have any upfront fees or cost to sign up. Additionally, initial debt consultations are free. Any National Debt Relief fees that will be billed is entirely performance-based. You don’t pay until you get your debt settled, and payments depend on how substantial a settlement you are awarded.
    How does National Debt Relief affect your credit?
    If you decide to enter a debt settlement program, your credit score may be adversely affected. However, it is often a better option than filing for bankruptcy.

Does National Debt Relief work?

We recommend National Debt Relief given their impressive collection of proven success and many top accreditations. They also have a nearly 5-star rating on ConsumerAffairs with over 36,000 reviews recorded. National Debt Relief also offers a good supply of free services and valuable information on their website to help clients understand debt settlement. Enrolling in a National Debt Relief program offers consumers a chance at escaping debt, and for that reason we recommend them.

National Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2016

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I was with another company and I wasn't happy with their service, so I started searching for another one. National Debt Relief came up and when I called and talked to them, I was so impressed by their customer service that I had to try this company. The rep was absolutely the best. In the past, when I was able to work, I gave superior excellence as far as customer service was concerned. The gentleman that helped me was another me. He did everything and anything possible to answer all my questions and make sure that I felt comfortable. In talking to him, I felt like I knew him for the longest time and he added a little bit of his own personal statement into our initial conversation, which helped make me feel more comfortable with him and that he cared.

With the exception of COVID going on, using NDR made me a lot more relaxed and I'm not as stressed out as I was. I am glad that I'm able to pay the debtors something at least. I’m about halfway through at this point. There are many times NDR should be getting more than what they're getting for the type of service and the confidence that they instill in you. They are doing, they have been doing and they're continuing to do everything that they said they were going to do in the beginning.

I lost my vision recently. When I started losing my sight, I called them to tell them that I'm going blind and asked how I was going to continue on. They said not to worry and that they’ve got me taken care of. They told me how bad they felt that I lost my vision and that they were going to do everything possible to take care of me in a different format than they would take care of a regular sighted person. They still do everything that they did as if I were sighted, except they call me. I've given them another number that they could send a text to if I had to call them back right away, if it was an emergency. But for the most part, they call and tell me what they need to do or what needs to be done, or give an update or suggestion. So I still feel very confident in their abilities. It is wonderful and I don't know many companies today that are willing to do that. I tell them every time that they have gone over above and beyond the call of duty.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I have four things for National Debt Relief to collect on and they've done two. The way I get it, if I owe eight grand on a credit card, NDR contacts the credit card company and asks if they are willing to settle for four. The credit card company says they are willing to settle for five. So, NDR says okay and sends me a thing asking if I am willing to pay the five. And I say yes or no. The only problem I've had is, on the last payment schedule, they told me that the creditor wanted $10 a month for eight months. I find that hard to believe. I said I would give them $80 and let's shorten it by eight months. It was odd and I said that I didn’t want to accept those terms. They said the creditor could back out. I said that the creditor would be absolutely stupid to back out. It was funny how they called me back five minutes later and said that the creditor agreed to take 20 bucks a month instead of 10 bucks.

NDR spreads it all out rather than stuff it together. They're collecting a fee every month and the company that does something for them collects a fee every month. So, I'm paying as much in fees as I am in paying off the debt. Other than that, I've been okay. I'm paying my bills off and in another year or two, hopefully, I'll say that everybody's done.

I had a big debt. It was 25 grand and that's a lot of money to me. I owned my business and in 2015, I was making money hand over fist. Everything was great and I put things on the card. I would just pay those. Then all of a sudden, a couple of years later, I was getting eaten up with interest and business had slowed way down, and I got myself in a hole. There is no debtors prison, so I could have said screw them all and ruin my credit completely. But I've ruined my credit by going through them anyways because it still shows as four credit things in default, even though I'm doing my best to pay them off. I'm a business owner so I applied with the SBA for a loan, hoping that I could pay a couple of those credit cards off with a high interest on them. The SBA turned me down because I have bad credit.

I have bad credit because I chose to pay off the four accounts. By being responsible and taking blame for what I've done, and that is build up a bunch of credit or have a bunch of credit that money is due, I'm being chastised because I'm being a good guy. It almost makes me feel like throwing all the bills in the trash and just let them send me bills and harass me on the phone. That was one thing that National Debt Relief did. I got phone calls and I gave the 800 number and told them to call NDR or I write on the credit card statement the address and tell them to send the bill there. But the bills and the phone calls have stopped so that's nice. In hindsight, if I had I to do it again, I would have just dealt with the credit card companies myself. But NDR has helped.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

My debts were getting out of control and I did not want to file for bankruptcy. This was my best option after doing research. Based on all of the consumer reviews and Better Business Bureau reviews, I decided that National Debt Relief would be the best one to go with despite them being the most expensive one. Supposedly, they are quickest way to resolve these debts. Everything comes with a cost and if you want good service, you have to pay for it. National Debt Relief has the reputation and the credibility with the creditors and with the larger banks that they are able to successfully have better settlements. That alone is worth the cost.

The process was seamless. It was initially in the beginning of the pandemic so everything was up in the air but the rep was very helpful. She took her time to explain everything to me step by step. I had a million questions for her and she patiently answered all my questions. We didn't discuss any settlement numbers. No one can tell what that's going to be until you're settling with the creditor but we did a financial analysis and came up with a number that I thought I would feel comfortable with and that's what comes out of my checking account every month. There were six creditors on the plan. One is paid off and two are in a program already where they are paying monthly. One of my surprises was the 20% fee of the total debt that they collect. I was not aware that they would go that high. But at the end of the day, I'm still saving more than 50% on average on each creditor so it still works out.

The process has been very clear too. For the two settlements that I've done, it was done by a text message where I got a message saying "We have an offer from the creditor. Would you like to accept it, yes or no?" It's easy. I'm able to manage my finances better since working with National Debt Relief. I'm able to save more. The fact that I provided a phone number and address for the creditors to contact them directly is great because I have not received a single phone call from anybody. My credit score has gone up too. At least for the debt that I had settled, it was written as paid in full monthly, not the full amount. Overall, National Debt Relief is a great company. I'm very happy that I went with them. The account managers are very friendly and very knowledgeable. They work with you. They're open to making things as smooth and easy as possible to benefit the debtor.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I got too many credit card bills. I've been using my credit card to pay for everything during this pandemic. I've been hearing a lot of National Debt Relief on a particular radio station I listen to. I went with them because if they can afford to put out a 30-second spiel, they're somebody probably worthwhile. I explained what I needed to do with their rep. They told me what they were gonna do. They told me I was consolidating and trying to put as many of my bills that they could pay off. There are some bills like taxes and things like that they couldn't pay for, which I know from other people that used debt relief services.

They were gonna get a copy of me and my wife's bills. We put all our bills together. The rep said they were gonna go out and get a credit report. They're gonna look at all your creditors, and then they're gonna tell you which ones they can help you with. They say what creditors they deal with. If there was anybody they couldn't pay the bill, it was something I had to handle. They kinda gave me the rundown. They said pretty much all my creditors they could deal with. The ones that they couldn't, they said they’ll even pay the bill. I had a truck that was repossessed because I couldn't afford to pay it anymore. They turned around and told me that we could pay that bill off. It's just that they weren't gonna negotiate. They just want their payment but the credit card people are the ones they could negotiate with. I didn't mind. As long as they're willing to pay the bill, that was fine with me. We went forward from there.

My credit score was down like in the 500s. But both me and my wife are over 600 now, so we're doing pretty good with them. A couple of our creditors were selling off our our account. We would get a letter saying, “Oh, your account's been sold to ABC Recovery." I put that letter in an envelope, and I mail it to National Debt. They take care of it. I don't talk to anybody that calls. If I do, I tell them, "You gotta call National Debt. They're the ones handling the negotiations now. It's in their hands." The only thing is I don't get any phone calls from them for updates. They usually send me emails. But I rather have an email than a phone call. They don't seem to hound you. If anybody ever asked me who to use, I'll say, “Use these guys. They are fantastic.”

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I was in the middle of searching for help, and in the process of looking through different things I was finding on the internet, I got a phone call from someone who said that they were with a debt and credit resolution company. I took him up on his offer. He sent me a contract, I signed it and I sent it back. I started paying him for services. And it was a scam. I started doing background checks here and comparing phone numbers with names I was given and people I had talked to, and things weren't seeming normal. And I paid them a lot of money.

The guy that I spoke to most frequently is in Florida, and I discovered he had a very long criminal record. Glad I'm in Virginia. But I thought, "I want my money back. How can I do this?" I can't blow off at them. We're not going to get anything. I gotta figure out a way to handle him nicely so that he will pay me. I told him I wanted out of the contract. I said it just wasn't working for me. He was upset. I just told him there was something that didn't seem right about it. I left a fax. He didn't respond for a while and I got in touch with the local police department down there. I made copies of everything I had and I wrote them in a letter and sent a file. He wanted money wired to him and I didn't yet know how a real debt resolution company handled that part, so I know that sounds stupid and I did it. But I have all the receipts.

I got lucky. A detective called me back. I said, "I've gone back as far as I could." I did close out three cards through him. I settled on my own. But going back through previous statements, I noticed charges on there for personal things in the area where he lives. I mentioned that to this detective and he said, "Okay. I'll call you back." He called him into the station and the guy broke down crying. He said, "I don't want to go back to prison." He was giving him a choice. It just made me feel so old. He said to the guy, "If this was your mother, would you want this to happen to her?" He immediately paid back what he charged. The detective told me, "If he doesn't continue making payments to you on a regular basis, call me and I'll go back out to his house." That worked for a little bit and then it stopped.

I had a lot of health issues come up lately that I've had to pay for. So I thought, "God, I wish I had that. He still owes me $2,000. I wish I had it. What can I do?” So I called the detective back in it. It's his cell phone through the police department. It would dial the number and that just sort of disconnect. I thought, "Oh, God, I've ruined things with him. He's not answering his phone now." I finally emailed them by yesterday through the police department and told them, "This is the name of the detective I was working with. Here's all the information I have on this person, where he lives and ladidadida. He still owes me $2,000, what can I do?" I wanted advice on how I can manage this.

It turns out that detective retired in December, and I didn't know it. I did get a call back from the state attorney's office a while ago, and they gave me the number for that station again and said to call and see if I could get them to get hold of that file and see if there was someone there that could help me. After that, I thought I still need help. I could see how negotiations went by that time because the guy that they were using to negotiate was horrible. He was so rude. It was a three-way call, and I would hear it. Then sometimes they cut that guy out of the conversation, and I wouldn't know it, and then there I am battling for myself. It was awful. But the bottom line was I needed to get out of debt. I shouldn't be retired. I'm not married anymore. I've got a house, a car, and I've got bill. I shouldn't be in this situation at this stage in my life. I want out of it.

I found National Debt. I called and I spoke to somebody for a long time. I told him part of that story. I just told him what kind of bills I have. So far, it's worked well. I'm a cancer survivor and that causes lots of things in the years beyond surviving and other things go haywire will happen sooner. So I got cataracts. Last year, I didn't have them. This year, they're there to the point where they need to be removed. The surprise was if you wanted lenses that allowed you to see at a distance and close up, you had to pay $3,000 per eye.

So, I called National and I had no idea that they would go along with this. But I said, "I'm sort of frantic. I can't afford those lenses but there is a certain process, method that they use to take the cataract out that cost money and I don't have it, as long as this $867 comes out of my account for National Debt." They said, “Oh, they get calls like that all the time. How much money do you need?" I said, "I had to make a couple phone calls to get an exact amount." I was able to get both eyes done. They were separated by months because of COVID. It should be one week and the other one was two weeks later. Now, I'm back in the hole with other issues with bone in my jaw from the drugs that causes bone loss that I took after chemotherapy.

I'm in the middle of that now and the last time I spoke with somebody at National, I did realize that when I asked them to stop for a few months so I could get my eyes done, I realize that that meant that the negotiation side that had already taken place with Chase was then over. I said, “No, I didn't even think about that. Does that make it harder to renegotiate with them? How does that affect their willingness?” I also worry about the taxes. I didn't think about the fact that the money that they didn't receive the full amount is taxable income.

Original review: July 24, 2021

I feel like I can live again and get on with my life, everyone was so helpful and made doing everything so easy!! Copies and all forms are being mailed to me for my records. In two years most of my bills will be paid off thanks to credit relief.

Larry

National Debt Relief response

Hello Larry,

Glad to hear that our team was able to assist as you start on your journey to a debt-free future. We understand that the process can be difficult at times, so our goal here at National Debt Relief is to provide a 5-star experience for every client.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Excellent experience, the agent was the kindest person ever, so professional, knows what he was talking and willing to help in every possible way. Helping at all time making you feel secure. Will recommend 100 percent. They are the best.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Boris is a very kind gentleman. I felt very comfortable talking to him about my financial situation. He explained everything very clearly to me. He helped me understand everything I was signing. I am very grateful for the financial help he offered me. I know, I made the right decision accepting help from National Debt Relief. I truly feel, I am on the right track to financial freedom, and on my way to increasing my credit score.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 23, 2021

I enrolled in March 2016 with a credit card debt of $52,366. National Debt Relief "estimated" they could negotiate my debt down to $26,183 and add $11,479 for their services for a total of $37,662 to be paid in 48 monthly payments. Long story short, I ended up paying them $53,464 with 63 monthly installments. They made automatic draws from my checking account. I never missed a payment or was late. I have filed complaints with BBB, the FTC, Trustpilot and now you. In May 2021 they said they completed all services and would offer no refund. In July, they offered to refund a portion of their fees on the condition that I withdraw my complaints.

National Debt Relief response

Hello William,

We apologize that our service did not satisfy your expectations. We set a high standard for ourselves and we’re truly sorry to hear this. A member of our team will be contacting you directly to review your experience and better understand this specific situation. If you prefer, you can also call us directly at 888-660-7427.

Original review: July 23, 2021

David was very kind and explained things step by step. This whole step has saved our lives. Gave us peace of mind in knowing we can be out of debt in such short of time. We have recently retired due to health and the young man who assisted us was very encouraging. Thank you.

National Debt Relief Company Information