1.04/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

This company pays a monthly fee to participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program and we may receive compensation for any referrals.

693 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2019

It may be attractive to use Budget because they throw all these percent discounts and coupon codes at you, but the ~$50 cost savings is not worth the stress they put you through. The TLDR version: The CS rep I was working with was rude; his attitude on the phone was arrogant and unsympathetic to the predicament their inventory system put me in. There is really no point to their CS department other than to make your call a "ticket" number, with little to no information on what is going on with your "ticket" once it's made. I ended up canceling my reservation and going with U-Haul. Making a U-Haul reservation was efficient, they had an accurate representation of their inventory, and I was able to secure the truck I needed within 15 minutes - which is nearly 90% faster then waiting for their "inventory manager" to contact you back.

This long story is more for my benefit, but those that are curious: I made my reservation 3 weeks ago, and the day before I am scheduled to move I call the pick-up location to confirm we are all set, only to be informed that they do not have the truck I need. I'm instructed to call their customer service line to have them look through their inventory of available trucks in my area. Customer Service (CS) apparently doesn't have access to the "inventory" - it's all managed by the mysterious "inventory manager" that is only allowed to contact you, not you contact them. CS apologizes for my inconvenience, informed me my matter will be "escalated" and they will call me back within 15 minutes or 2 hours.

I call CS back 15 minutes before the 2 hour mark because I'm starting to get antsy, and wanted to know the status. CS informs me: "You still have 15 minutes left to await a call back from our inventory manager, if you don't receive a call, then you can call us back to check on the status." I ask why can I not be directed to the "inventory manager" now, it's only 15 minutes, as well as how does it make any sense for me to call customer service back, only to have the SAME conversation? Admittedly, I am terse and frustrated at this point, so my tone is not so sweet, but instead of understanding from the CS rep, I am getting attitude in response to my questions.

My questions are valid: where is my ticket? Why can't I speak with the "inventory manager" (or whomever) to get a realistic understanding of if I can get the truck I need? Why do they not have information on if my ticket is even being worked on? I will NEVER use Budget again for a truck rental purely based on their internal operations not being transparent or well understood, but also because their "bedside manner" for customer's needs not being met is grossly underwhelming.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I reserved a truck for our 1000 mile move 4 weeks before pick up. The location was 1.5 hours away. An hour before I was supposed to pick up the truck, while I was on my way, I received a call that the truck was not available. I was told I would receive a discount and a call back about possibly finding another truck. I never got a call.

I called service who told me the truck is available now 3 hours away the next day, a 6 hour round trip, and a $30 discount. Then, we get the truck on the road 3 hours and it breaks down. We had to wait hours for someone to come out and fix it. Because of this delay we asked that we drop the truck off later in the day to accommodate for the break down delay, they said no, they would charge $85 plus "additional fees". I will never do business with this company again. I don't see how this company is still allowed to do business after all of the customers they have completely screwed over. So, I'm out hundreds for movers and lost work. I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to have to speak to this company.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I made a reservation for a 16' truck 7 weeks before my move to Florida from Cincinnati, OH. I have called numerous times to try to get the particulars of the truck and to cancel the car carrier I had scheduled with it. I have been shoved from one department to the next. The twice I have been told my case was being escalated and I would receive a phone call in 50 min to 2 hours and I have still not heard from anyone. I am flying in and had to arrange transportation to pu the truck and then load that same day and then trek 22 hours to Florida the next morning. If you get Amber, Alex or Alexis do not waste your time speaking to them. They play a shell game with your reservations and if you get screwed they could care less. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, MONEY AND EFFORT ON THIS COMPANY.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Do Not Rent From This Company. I made a one way reservations in Norfolk, Va for a 16” truck three weeks ago and I just received a phone call less than one hour before pickup time stating that it isn’t a truck available for pickup. I was told to call customer service so that they could find a truck available for me in the area. Once I called customer service I was told a inventory manager will give me a call, I had been over two hours and no one has called me yet. I have called customer service three times already, still no resolution.

Original review: May 20, 2019

My husband and I are in the middle of our move from Fort Worth, TX to Crestview, Florida and we chose to rent a 16ft moving truck and trailer, to transport my husband's car, from Budget. We picked up our truck and trailer on 5/17 at 8 am. We noticed when trying to back the trailer into spot to detach so we could pack, that it would not straighten out! We didn’t think much of it and continued to pack the truck. Around 3 pm we were ready to reattach the trailer so we could load up our other car and I realized the tip of the hitch on the trailer was bent to the right on an angle and I knew that wasn’t right (we have many years experience trailering our parents' 23ft boat. I looked under the the hitch cause I saw a nasty split in the steel that seemed be causing the bend and what we found underneath the hitch was DISTURBING. The trailer was so rusted and rotted out from what looked like OLD jack knife damage.)

We proceeded to call the place we rented the truck AA Party and Tent Rental in Ft Worth and they told us we’d have to call Budget roadside assistance. We immediately called RSA at 4 pm to explain what we found and that it was too dangerous to transport this trailer anywhere and we’d like a new trailer (this took 30 mins total because their constant holds were long). They told us they’d call us back shortly with an ETA on something.. by 6 pm we hadn’t heard a word back so we called to check and they STILL had no answer for us but told us since everyone closed at 6 pm it was even harder to find a trailer or part. In the meantime I called customer service 'cause we should’ve been on the road at 3 pm and no one had a sense of urgency or sympathy for their unmaintained trailer!

I spoke with a gentleman who had such a thriving accent. I didn’t get his name but he incredibly rude to me about me being upset and saying I had to pay over $600 for the bundle but $120 for just a trailer that should’ve never been on the lot to rent and that we’ve been waiting hours for help and he basically said, "Don’t know what to tell you!" So I asked for a supervisor and he put me on a 1 minute hold up .This disconnect my line!! My husband called back very upset and got the rep Max ID #** who was very kind and apologized for our treatment and experience. He then placed ya on the phone with supervisor Marco ID #** who further showed great service and told us we would be refunded for the trailer once the truck was returned at our final destination and GAVE us his ID # and name so we could get back into contact with him for any further help.

After that we received a call from Budget RSA saying, "Sorry we can’t help you till tomorrow" on a part which was crazy to us because we explained at 4 pm we turned in our apartment keys and had no place to go! We had been sitting outside in our cars with 3 cats waiting for assistance WAY before a 6 pm closing time and BUDGET couldn’t get us a part in 2 hrs before close. They told my husband “well you’ll just have to get yourselves a hotel room.” HOW DISGUSTING!! No sympathy for their faulty trailer that should have never been out to rent! We then asked for a supervisor and we got Pam who refused to give us an ID number. Kept RUDELY speaking over my husband that was trying to explain our situation and she kept repeating “Sorry everyone. Closed at 6. Nothing we can do.” I can’t even describe the nastiness this woman had.

When we asked for her info she said “I'm the only Pam here. They’ll know who you’re talking about” in a sarcastic tone. We ended up having to pay over $100 to find a pet friendly hotel and told Budget we wanted a new trailer the next day and that we would call as soon as they open to get the process going. We spoke to them at 730 am the next day and by 830 am they still hadn’t found a solution. Finally at 915 am they told us our request for a whole new trailer was denied and that they would send out a mechanic with a part that would be to our old apartment (where the trailer sat) before 10 am. Sadly the mechanic (Joe) wasn’t there until around 11:15 am but he was incredibly nice and fixed the trailer and couldn’t believe we were even rented out this trailer to begin with. By the time he left we connected the trailer and had to pull up the car onto the trailer in an absolute rainstorm so we were soaking wet. This didn’t help our situation!

We then are on road for about an hour when I noticed (I was driving behind our truck) that bolts were flying from the trailer and I then saw the back left wheel to the trailer in a completely wobble! I called my husband immediately and we had to make an emergency stop on the side of the highway in the middle of nowhere. (Imagine has we not caught the damage on the trailer hitch!!) We then proceeded to wait on the side of the road from 12:45 pm to 5:15 pm with 3 cats in our car in the middle of a storm waiting for RSA meanwhile customer service pretended they didn’t know who Marco and Max were when we called and asked for them and then we have been promised TWICE now to hear back from Josh the supervisors, supervisor and we have yet to hear anything.

They sent Joe all the way out to us to fix the tire hub and he was disgusted yet again with the trailer we were given! The own mechanic!! He said they clearly have neglected to inspect and repair all this old damage. Budget put our life in danger multiple times and no one cares to call us back or show sympathy! We had to cut our trip short into Houston to stay with my family because my cats got very carsick from the stress and were throwing up. :( PLEASE do not rent from Budget. This has been the biggest mistake of our lives renting with them. We are a military family and we have been treated with such disrespect and carelessness and it shows in the photos we have!! BUDGET STILL WONT CONTACT ME and at this point will be speaking with every social media site and legal team.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: May 17, 2019

On September the 19th, I rented a truck and trailer from Budget Truck Rental at the Palm Beach airport location. My wife and I were moving from the Boynton Beach, Florida to Bradenton, Florida. After signing the paperwork, I noted existing damage to the truck and made notations on their paperwork for the damage that was visible and then checked out and drove the truck and trailer to my home (about a 12 mile trip). After arriving at my home, I disconnected the trailer and backed the truck up to the garage door.

The following morning my helper showed up and we began to load the truck. It wasn't long before we noticed the left rear of the truck showing signs that the truck tires were looking like they were low on-air pressure. My helper looked at the tires and kicked the tire on the inside and said “you have a flat tire”. Therefore, only one of the tires was holding all the weight on the left rear. The flat tire was not detected until weight was applied, thus more than likely, this was flat when rented and did not go flat on the 12-mile trip to my home. After learning the inside tire was flat, we called the help line with Budget Truck Rental and they said they would have someone out to fix the tire within about an hour. A repair truck from Bridgestone arrived and confirmed that the inside tire was flat.

The tire mechanic began to remove both left rear tires and said the outside tire was ok but the inside tire was flat and needed replaced. It is important to note that there was no damage to the tire and no attempt to repair the tire. My guess is the tire was too worn and should have been replaced as part of maintenance.

At no time during the conversations with Budget Truck Rental hotline were we told that we would be responsible for this cost. We just thought that Budget Truck Rental was making good on a maintenance item. If we had known that Budget Truck Rental was going to charge us for this tire replacement, I would have done more to document the event including pictures of the truck and flat tire, which was replaced. Perhaps not telling us until after the truck was returned was intentional.

When the tire work was completed, we were on our way, and the trip went as planned and in a few days we returned the truck and trailer to a location in Bradenton Florida. The truck then was checked for damage by a Budget Truck Rental agent and there was none other than what was originally noted. To our surprise, about 2 weeks later, we received a letter from Sedgwick indicating that we owe Budget Truck Rental $358.03 for the damage to the truck which was for a new tire and labor and a $50.00 administration fee. We found it unreal that they would try to stick us with the cost of a brand-new tire in exchange for a flat worn out tire. When we called Budget Truck Rental about this letter, they said they couldn't help us, that the matter was already being handled by Sedgwick and it was out of their hands.

After a few calls to Sedgwick, it was clear that they were trying to make a case that we damaged the truck even though the truck probably had a flat tire when I picked it up, as there was no appearance to detect, since the outside tire was supporting the weight of an empty truck. Sedgwick continued to say that our contract states we are responsible for any damage to the truck and I explained that a flat tire is not damage and that it was something that should have been taken care of with truck maintenance. The final call was made by my wife because I was getting too upset and have health issues. There was no resolve, but they no longer hounded us.

Now again, to our surprise, we get a letter dated April 20th from Viking Client Services who now is the debt collector for Budget Truck Rental. We sent them a letter certified stating why we didn't think this was a damage issue, as much as it was a maintenance issue, and I haven't received anything back from them yet. My guess is they will do everything they can to bully us paying this claim. Since we now have these claims from Budget Truck Rental I decided to check online to see if there are others with complaints similar to ours, and amazingly there are hundreds of complaints against Budget Truck Rental, many like the one that we experienced. I firmly believe that Budget Truck Rental puts trucks out that are not safe with the idea that when something breaks or wears out it will be in the hands of one of their customers who they will assess the cost for repairs.

This is outrageous and it needs to be addressed before people die by taking out a truck with maintenance issues. Had I not noticed the low tire on the left which turned to be one tire flat, the trip could have been disastrous having only one tire on the left rear side. If this tire would have blown out, I might not be here to tell this story. I hope that this matter can be resolved, and further people can be protected from this unethical business practice by Budget Truck Rental.

Original review: May 11, 2019

Rented a 26' truck with towing trailer for a move from Pennsylvania to Florida. Lisa in Allentown was helpful, friendly and knowledgeable and was there for me my whole trip. She's the only reason they get one star. Then halfway there the tire on the trailer shredded leaving me on the side of the road for an hour and a half. Tried to call Danielle in Florida to tell her we would not make our time because of this she was rude, not helpful and hung up on me. Tried to call her back. She never answered the phone again after many attempts. 155 miles from our destination the truck started shaking violently. So we drove 40 miles an hour the rest of the way down 70 mph highways out if fear. Tried to call Danielle again no pick up.

Finally got truck unloaded, filled the tank as far as I could, cleaned the cab, swept the truck, folded the blankets, drove a couple of blocks to the facility she in her same rude way told me it wasn't full enough. The only thing I could have done to prevent this was push the truck back. So she charged me a filling fee. Which I went out of my way to try to prevent. The gauge said full. She said not full enough. That's the way I picked it up. I didn't understand but couldn't do anything. Then she refused to check the rest of the truck. Back, materials rented so I'm sure I'm going to get charged again because I believe she's crooked and a scammer. Never again. I'll stick to U-Haul.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I recently rented a 16’ Budget truck for a move. I usually use U-Haul, but Budget had a very good deal for AARP members that was hard to ignore. Made the reservation with no hitches, although the salesperson did say that there was no guarantee there would be a truck available, even though I had made a reservation. What? That was a bit disconcerting but I thought I would risk it. When I picked up the truck there was unexpected insurance paperwork that required me to contact my insurance carrier for some very detailed questions. That took quite a while and then bringing the truck to the front of the building took quite a while too. When I finally got in the truck, the front seat leaned hard to the left toward the driver’s door and was so smushed in I could barely see over the steering wheel.

When I asked if I could trade it in on another vehicle, I was informed that this was my only option – take it or leave it. I had to take it. The truck had almost 200,000 miles on it and it obviously had no shocks left as every rut in the road sent bone jarring jolts through my body. And when I finally got on the highway and had to go at posted speeds of 65-75 mph, it was also obvious the transmission was on its way out. I live in the mountains so a 6% uphill grade was almost comical as the poor vehicle struggled, going into overdrive and almost sending me through the windshield when it shifted out of overdrive.

When I returned the truck I made sure to fill it with gas and the gauge read “full” when I left it after hours. The next day when I called to make sure all was well, I was informed that the gas was low and I would be charged for that ($30) and the gas. When I argued the point, I was instructed to take it up with customer service and given their number. I also mentioned the condition of the vehicle and the response was “yea, we’ve heard about that several times before – you should report that to customer service.”

So I called customer service about the gas charges and was told I had to take it up with the company that had rented me the vehicle – classic runaround. But finally, after much time and finagling, I got the $30 fee waived. I then looked at my credit card to see what the actual charge had been only to find I had also been charged $50 for a “no show” on another reservation that I never made! $50!!! When I spoke with another customer service person I explained that I never had another reservation and that I had picked up and returned a truck already. I was told the fee could not be waived until I had the reservation number. As I never made the reservation, I did not have a number. Duh!

Finally it was discovered that an incorrect telephone number had triggered the mistake and my money was duly refunded. And by the way, when I mentioned the condition of the vehicle, it was completely ignored. Their concern for the safety and well-being of their customers is apparently only reserved for what is in our wallets. I am glad I used a credit card and not a bank debit card so I could have recourse had it not worked out. I felt that my card was just being debited right and left carte blanche. There was never any definitive pricing up front so the final bill was always a mystery. I was just to leave my card number with the rental company and they would charge it as they saw fit.

My questions are these? Why isn’t that vehicle retired or relegated to local moves only? And why was I supposed to report it to customer service – isn’t that the rental company’s job? Why didn’t someone contact me about the gas to give me the option of filling it myself before just charging me the fee? It was obvious from my return paperwork that I thought it was full. And now some other poor person is trying to deal with the same vehicle and the same sketchy rental company and customer service. If I could note a zero rating I would. I’ll never rent a Budget vehicle of any kind again. Fool me once…

Original review: May 9, 2019

I would give them 0 stars if I could. We moved from Tennessee to New Mexico and decided to go with Budget Trucks because they had a discount special. Worst mistake we could have possibly made. The reasons are: When we go to get the truck it wasn't there. Had to wait over a hour for a truck to arrive. When we opened the back cab there was broken glass everywhere and trash along with small items from the previous renters. It rained for a good portion of our drive and the driver's side door leaked that entire time. We get to NM and get everything moved in. I called and complained about the leakage and the glass. They said they could only offer me $60 even though we paid almost $600 just for the truck.

A few days go by and I noticed I have bites all over me. They keep getting worse and we have a exterminator come by to check out the problem and sure enough it is BED BUGS!!!! He confirmed they had to have came from the moving truck. Which I'm not shocked. It being in the state it was when we got it should have been a huge red flag for us. Customer service says they can't do anything because I agreed on the $60.00 compensation. This is the worst experience I have ever had with a moving company by far.

Original review: May 6, 2019

They cancelled our reservation without notifying us. Had to scramble and find another truck at the last minute. The customer service line said an Inventory Manager would be contacting us to provide assistance. Never heard from anyone at all. Steer clear of any affiliation with Budget Truck Rental. Cheaper is not always better.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I had made a reservation a month and half prior to moving and when I got there I was told they were all sold out and there was nothing they could do for me. This is the only day I could move, so I had to find something else last minute to move. Completely insincere and no compensation for their mistake. Absolute TRASH service.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I rented a 16 feet Budget truck on the 17th of April and we left Pennsylvania April 18th 2019 to Glendale AZ. The truck had a engine light on and the salesman told me that it was fine. On our way driving on the highway the truck speed limit couldn't reach 60mph and that's not all yet, the first tire busted at the passenger side while driving on the highway and we were screaming and fighting to control the truck. I called customer's service and I was on the phone for 20 minutes before getting someone to speak with us and she transferred us to roadside assistance which I was on hold at least 20 to 25 minutes.

The Roadside assistance lady asked us for some code on the keypad. My boyfriend gave her the number on the keypad but she insisted that the number was wrong so I took the phone and gave her the same number and she kept saying the number was wrong so my brother in law read the number to her as well but she still insisted that the number was wrong. So I offered to gave her my conformation number but she refused to help us and she started saying my boyfriend was being loud with her so she handoff on us.

At this point I'm angry and frustrated. Now we have to start over. Long matter short two hours later my boyfriend got a roadside assistance lady on the line that told us she was sending somebody to help. We waited later on in the evening before we had somebody came and fixed the tire but he couldn't do anything about the speed that was consuming more gas. We left to continue our trip. The next day the tire on the driver side busted and take away the gas cap. Now we're fighting to get control of the truck to save our lives and the rest of the drivers on the highway at this moment. We finally stopped and called those fools and explained our situation to them.

OMG This time around the wait was longer than before. They got somebody to come in the night. The guy came and told us that he can't do anything with the truck at that point. He asked us to manage with the truck and followed him 10 miles back to his garage so he could used his bigger machine which we did. He fixed the tire and told us that he couldn't do nothing much about the gas tank cap so he put some ring around it and taught us how to use it. We had to put plastic around the mouth because we were spending too much on gas.

Only for us to reach by the grace of God and returned their truck to the designated area and their saleswoman had the nerve to call my phone talking about I'll have to pay for the gas cap. After making me to spent thousand plus just on gas and making us suffer for days and I also paid for insurance as well. This is the worst company I've ever dealt with. Please don't rent from Budget. Is there any way we could sue this company? Could somebody please give me a answer.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I want to encourage everyone to NOT RENT A Budget truck for moving. My son and myself rented a truck that was not maintained, and broke down on the road 2 times and we waited over 14 hours for service!

Original review: April 26, 2019

If I could leave negative stars I would! DO NOT USE BUDGET! I know you're thinking that it's so much cheaper, IT IS NOT WORTH IT! We rented a 16-footer from Tucson around 10 in the morning, drove it roughly 10 miles home to load it up. Left around 2pm, we made it into Phoenix around 4:10 when the there was a loud clank sound and the truck stopped moving in the middle of the highway! We were only going about 70 miles an hour. We had to have help towing it to the nearest exit.

While that was happening, I called where we rented it from and they told me that they couldn’t do anything for us and I would have to call Roadside Assistance. So, I called them and waited ten minutes to even speak to someone. When I finally got someone on the line, she told me she would send someone out to take a look, I told her that we would be needing a new truck since this one wouldn’t even move. She told us that they have to look at it first and hung up abruptly. We waited on the side of the exit for 2 hours before I got a call that a tow truck was coming to get us. During this time my husband was trying to call customer service line but after 30 minutes on hold he gave up. The tow showed up about 40 minutes later. He asked us where we wanted to tow it to.

I called Roadside Assistance once again to find out where they wanted it towed. After 15 minutes on hold before we actually got to speak to representative, she told us we would have to tow to a hotel since their offices are now closed. This is three hours or so after our initial incident. I asked if they were going to pay for that and she said I would have to submit a receipt afterward. While the conversation was still going on, she hung up on me. The tow driver was still wondering where to tow it to, we told him to tow it to budget. We had to pay a $400 tow! We didn’t think it was smart to tow it to a hotel with all our belongings in it and no lock.

We also didn’t want to have to tow it twice. We didn’t want to stay in a hotel. We didn’t plan any overnight bags since we planned to be at our destination before needing that stuff. We get to budget right next to a Uhaul that was still open, so we went and rented a Uhaul, and switched all our belongings at 8:30 at night after the sun had already set. Uhaul was amazing, they priced matched and gave us a better deal that what we got in Budget and reassured us of their policies were something to happen with the truck. Budget had awful customer service! Absolutely no policies in place to deal with this whole disaster! This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had happen to me and I just want to help someone else avoid this whole disaster! DON’T USE BUDGET!

Original review: April 24, 2019

How can a well-established company like Budget have a location operator that is such a poor representative of the brand? I had a confirmed reservation at 8 am Saturday, April 13th - waited outside a locked facility until 8:30 before Dwight ** strolled in, proceeded to hook up his electric car to a charger before he opened and asked what I wanted. I said that I had an 8 am reservation and that movers were waiting for me and expecting to be paid - he didn't seem concerned, never apologized and took forever to process my order. The paperwork was painful and slow. Insisted I take the insurance since the form needed was long and difficult to fill out, so I did just to speed things up. $38 for nothing.

As I was leaving I asked which truck was mine and he said I would find it, "It's the only 16 footer out there." When I looked, they were all backed in so I guess it was up to me to find it on my own. At this point I was late, had six people waiting for me. When I got in the cab it was dirty, had food and trash and broken glass on the seats and floor. The truck had 90,000+ miles and was the roughest riding suspension - the shocks had to be original equipment - laughed at the "cushion ride" claim on the side of the truck. I could feel every bump like I was riding without tires. Worse rental truck I have ever had. Some items were damaged in transit. When I returned the truck he asked me to toss him the keys, never came out to see if it was fine and I left. Rude, unprofessional, I could go on but you get the picture. A total disaster. The corporate office offered me a $40 credit, like when you get a free dessert from a horrible meal. Losers.

Original review: April 22, 2019

We rented a Budget truck from the Hixson, TN location to move our son and his family to Roanoke, Virginia. The truck they gave us had the check engine light on, they said it’s okay, not to worry. My husband and I left with our grandchildren to head to Virginia. We get almost to Virginia and our son calls to say the truck broke down still in Tennessee. It took 5 1/2 hours to get a mechanic there to confirm the truck was not drivable. I call the Hixson, TN location we got the truck from to complain.

The owner proceeds to let me know that he is not responsible for the truck. What!!! We have to call the budget hotline to have a tow truck dispatched. Another 2 1/2 hours go by. In the meantime, my son, daughter-in-law, their belongings and pets have been stranded for 8 hours. They finally tow the truck and then inform my son that they cannot get another truck until the next day. Are you kidding. We are in Virginia with our grandchildren, whom have no extra clothes, toiletries or personal items. It takes them most of the next day to reload another truck with their belongings before my son can even attempt to leave fo Virginia.

Finally they get to Virginia 36 hours from their original eta. We begin unloading the truck to find that the truck had profusely leaked rainwater onto most of their items, some of the things were broken in the transfer from one truck to another. I called customer service so many times to only be told “we are sorry for your inconvenience “. We rented the truck for 3 days, Thursday-Saturday. Only used it 1/2 Friday and had to have it back on Saturday morning by 12. We get to the drop off place in Roanoke by 11:15 to find no one there. What???

So I call the number in the door, the owner answered to say he closed early. I told him that according to our contract and his business hours, he was scheduled to be open until 12. I explained we had to have the truck back so we could settle everything up. My husband and I were scheduled to leave Saturday, but that didn’t happen. The owner of the drop off place told me that he could close any damn time he pleased. Omygosh. Needless to say, don’t ever rent from Budget.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I rented a truck for a 1523 mile drive and spent 686.00. The truck was on four donuts and the tow tire was warped. I have contacted the attorney general in Mass and BBB and I filed with the safety and regulations department in Mass. I called the roadside assistance from NC, waited four hours and never was called back. I called many local Budget to trade out the tow and was told no not their problem. I was stuck on the side of the road with my child. It was so scary. A total stranger had to help us. My child is now ill and has been admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and this is not going to go well for Budget. I will not stop and will potentially take out further actions legally depending on how my child recovers. Shame on this company.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Ok, so on 03/27/2019 at 7:30am I went to pick up my Budget Rental Truck at Trade Zone Truck Rental at 148 RT 46 West, Netcong, NJ 07857. This location is a tiny trailer, once we opened the door, the smell was putrid (to the point of not wanting to breathe and almost gagging). Not only was the smell horrendous but the place was filthy inside the trailer and there were tiny taxidermy deer heads and roadkill on the walls (it appeared the man did them himself which could be why it smelled so bad). The gentleman was nice, but the establishment was disgusting.

We were shown to our truck, which too, was filthy inside and covered in long white dog hairs, all over the seat/floor/and dashboard. The gentleman gave us Lysol wipes to wipe it down. He then showed us how to “jimmy” the key into the ignition because “sometimes it acts funny”. I had no choice but to take the vehicle since the movers were set to come and I was moving from NJ to another state that same morning.

We got the truck to my apartment (which is like a 3 min drive from the location) and it was loaded up by the movers. As soon as we got back in the truck, the low tire pressure light was on, we went to a gas station to put air in the tire, but that did not work, so we drove back to the location. The gentleman was not there so I called roadside assistance, they came like an hour and a half later and changed the tire, which put us 2 hrs behind schedule for our long 6 hr drive.

I paid nearly $1,000.00 for that rental and when I called customer service to let them know of my terrible experience all they offered was a measly $60.00 refund, when I asked for the claim to be escalated the guy stated at most he could offer $100.00, I stated that was unacceptable and he transferred me to a "supervisor" that was useless and refused to assist me any further or provide information for anyone else, he kept stating "There is no one else, I am the only one. This is all I'm offering you". I'm reading all of these reviews and I notice this is standard crappy "business as usual" for Budget Truck. Ridiculous! Worst company ever. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM!

Original review: April 11, 2019

Probably about 8-9 month ago I needed to rent a truck, and when I arrived to rent the truck, the front desk of the rental declared that I cannot rent the truck due to owning $500. They gave me phone number for collection department 8005040268 to resolve the issue. I called and got all details about that balance, I realized that the charge happened during fraudulent activity. I am a victim of fraud and still suffering, but this department does not care. No resolution.

I am stressed out and I regularly see doctor. I can't sleep nights. I have all documentation and police report to prove that I was victim of fraud. Please help me. I need to resolve this issue. My name is Erkin ** and my call back number is ** and my email address is **. I've been talking to my attorney and there is a possibility to take legal actions because I have emotional condition and all this effects to my well being. Please I'm begging. Someone help me. I'm willing to pay this just I want it to disappear.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I reserved a 26' truck from Stamford CT Budget Truck Rental, they called at the last minute and told me it was not available. Then they charged me a $50 no show fee. Penske Truck told me Budget Truck does this quite often.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My name is Lolita **. I rented a truck on Monday March 18th. I did not realize until all my belongings were packed and I was on the highway that I was driving a death trap. When I stepped on the brakes the truck jerked hard, a distressed noise came from under the hood and it seemed as if it was going to break down right there. The driver side door would not close completely so when I drove the truck over 40 mph wind came through the door and I was pushed around on the road. The driver side view mirror was cracked and there was several cracks on the windshield. The Budget rental facility rented the truck in this condition. When I called roadside service I was not given solutions just more problems. The six hour trip turned into a three day nightmare. I spent an additional $600 on hotels and $545 to have another company assist me. This was my first and last time renting a truck from Budget.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Absolutely horrible experience. I made reservations a few weeks before we needed the the truck. Drove 3 hours and went to get truck, when I arrived at Budget at 6901 Okeechobee Blvd West Palm Beach that morning I was informed that there was no truck for me. The guy behind the counter really was no help, he couldn't explain why there was no truck. He was no help trying to find another truck or a place to get one. I would not recommend using Budget for any reason.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I rented a 12 FT truck from Budget on Friday, March 15th from Louisville, KY and was going to Alabama. Saturday evening about 4-5pm we were ready to hit the road. So we are on the road traveling and then the truck starts smoking from the back and we pull over. Called Roadside Service about 8:45 - 9:00 pm. Took them Hour to Hour and Half before they came. Once they came they said to drive to the nearest exit and stay at the truck stop or find hotel nearby to stay overnight. Call Roadside assistance and Customer Service to let them know.

We ended up staying in the hotel, Saturday and Sunday evening because finally Sunday about 2pm they said they finally had approval from the Supervisor and would need to find a truck from Inventory then they could replace the truck. By then it was Monday before we got the truck and it was at 1:30pm. Remember we needed to unload the 12ft and re-load (16ft) what they brought us, not a 12 ft. So the movers to assist did not arrive until hour later and we we're not able to leave until 4:30pm that Monday, March 18th. Understand the original contract said the truck was due back to be dropped off on Monday, the 18th at 9 am. However the truck was broke and no replacement yet. I constantly called to find out when it would be due back since it was delayed because of being down.

They said to just drop off when you're done. Therefore, dropped off on Wednesday morning and that resulted in an additional $222.80 for BEING LATE!! WTF- SERIOUSLY?? So I called to dispute that they were giving me refund of that because the late was not my fault, however I was trying to dispute the TOTAL charges, the charges I paid was $318.30 to rent and then late charges of two days, then hotel etc. THIS IS VERY BAD BAD BUSINESS- I've spoken to level 2 Supervisor and they have no "CUSTOMER SERVICE" for anyone in any situation! F- Budget~!

Original review: March 21, 2019

The truck was not available at the original location. Yes, "reservations are preference and not guaranteed as stated in our terms and conditions". But why no phone call from Budget, no email, no apology? Picked up the truck (** OK plates) at a different location. Lots of rust and miles (111 K), but driving was ok, no serious complains. Minor nonsense: no windshield fluid, AC knob is stuck, dirty inside, stinky ashtray. Ridiculous part: constant dripping of water into the cabin on the driver's side (rotten gasket at the top of the cabin). Ended up driving in a raincoat.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Paid $150 to move from Ocala to Ocoee (roughly 84 miles). We signed up for the 90 miles included plan. Dropped the truck off the next day and two days later was charged $900+ saying we drove over 1000 miles. I called and gave them all the information, only to find out that whoever wrote the mileage down, messed up. Customer service then HAD THE AUDACITY to tell me I had to pay for some of the miles THAT I DIDN’T EVEN DRIVE. I argued with them and they finally are refunding my money but because they took so much out in the first place, I was charged an over draft fee that THEY WILL be taking care of. I was warned against using Budget because of how many problems there are and now I’ve learned my lesson. Absolute trash.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Rented a one way trip from Detroit to Appleton and I'm not sure how I made it in one piece. Right of the bat...tire pressure sensor was on...check air no big deal, sensor was bad. Then it began to rain and continued for 6 hours, just so happens this van was not watertight and leaked between the cab and the box directly down my back. The use of towels and bags and anything else I could find was used to prevent the torture...brutal. Then the handling on the truck was questionable. I wasn't sure if it was because of the winds or what but I toughed through it going 55 mph in 75mph interstate, which is unsafe to begin with. Finally when the wind died down and I stopped for fuel. I did a basic wheel bearing check and come to find out both front wheel bearings were shot. Not only that but I could turn the wheel from 11-1 o’clock and the truck would drive straight, not safe in any sense of the manner.

I call and submit my comments and they indicated they would take care of me and they rely purely on customer complaints of their vehicles because they do not actually do mechanical checks of them. They offered a 10% discount which was garbage and here we are. Budget does not perform maintenance on their vehicles unless someone goes through the near death experience and lets them know their vehicle is unsafe. Budget wants your money, doesn't a rats about your safety. The other thing that’s absolutely absurd is these guys had the audacity to tell me they rented this truck out already. Someone is going to get hurt with the Budget mentality. DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had a reservation for Tuesday March 5th, 2019 at 8:30am in Simi Valley California for a 26' truck. I was sent a email on February 12th 2019 telling me my reservation number and information. I received a follow-up email on March 2nd confirming the time and pick up again. On March 4th at approximately 4:23pm I received a call from the budget office telling my that my 8:30am truck reservation wouldn't be arriving till 3:00pm. This is after I had already made arrangements for the movers I hired to be in Oxnard California to meet me at 9:30am. When I spoke to the person at the office (I didn't not get his name) I informed him that this would be unacceptable as the reservation was for 8:30am and I had made plans accordingly.

He told me he was only delivering the message and could not do anything about it. I told him that I would like to speak to a manager or supervisor. He said there was no one there but he would call his manager and inform him of the situation. I called back a little less than a hour later at 5:13pm to see if the manager was back in the office since he had not called me yet. The same person I spoke to said he had not returned but that he would call and text him to make sure he got the message about my truck not being here on time the next day. I called back at 6:01pm and was told again that the message was given to whoever it was needed to be given to but I did not get a phone call.

I finally called the Budget National Reservation Hotline around 7:03pm since the local office had already closed to try and get this resolved. I spoke with a Reyna ** who was singularly unhelpful. I fully explained the situation to her and she said that there was a truck available in Sun City which is only 129 miles away through some of the heaviest traffic in the U.S. I told her that this would not be ok and something else needed to be done. She told me that I would have to contact the office where I was going to pick up the truck (the one that was already closed), and speak to the manager (the one who had not called me back as of almost 3 hours now) and have him try and do something.

I asked her if she had the manager's personal cell or home number to get in touch with him and she said no. I then asked her that the only way to resolve this was to call a branch that was already closed, and speak to a manager whose number I did not have and that she could not give me, that this was the way to fix this to which she said yes. Well to my credit I kept my cool after this Catch-22/Kafkaesque answer I got. The only bright spot about this whole mess was a Budget worker named Fabricio who called about a 8:16am Tuesday morning and said they would have a truck ready at 11:00am. He told me he felt badly about a customer being treated this way and somehow he was able to come up with a truck.

This is after I had already called the movers to change the time and get charged a penalty for "cancelling". I was able to finally pick up the truck but I have to say the amount of stress and trouble I had to go through to cancel then get my movers back, plus the delay in start time for me to get on the road to Georgia was unbelievable (half a travel day). This was definitely one of the worst cases of customer service I have ever encountered with a nationwide business such as yours. I will definitely not be recommending Budget to any family or friends and will definitely be going out of my way to tell them my horror story with your company.

What can we do to help resolve the situation?: Give Fabricio a raise or a promotion. I don't know how to resolve this as I've never run into a situation like this before. I would think paying for the "cancellation" fee or refunding some of the cost of the truck would go a long way in helping this situation. Quite honestly, I can't remember the last time I have been this angry with a company. Who calls the day prior to tell someone that their moving truck will be 6 hours late?! I haven't even done my Yelp review yet as I will be turning in the truck Tuesday the 12th.

Original review: March 14, 2019

On or about Feb. 21, 2019 I called concerned about a car dolly. We read that you can not back up and my concern was traveling so far that I might get into a situation that I would have to back up. The gentleman stated to me just go into a truck stop for gas. I explained to him that I was too old to take the car off if I was to get into a situation so I wanted to get a car carrier just to be safe for all concern. They had to bring a car carrier from another location.

On Feb 22, 2019 I came in to pick up the truck and carrier. Inspecting the truck and carrier I told the gentleman that the tire on the driver’s side back was bald spots and he stated that the other tire on that same side front also had a bald tire spot. He looked and stated that the tires where special heavy duty with extra tire so there was no need to worry. I stated to him that we were going across the states to GA and once again he stated that no worries that we wouldn’t have any issues.

They did fix the lights on the trailer due to the fact that the running lights weren’t working. He checked the car to make sure it was secure and I asked about the chain in the back. He stated it wasn’t needed and it was secure. I asked him about the other trailer and he stated if I was going to California that he would let me take it. It had a slow leak tire. Again, I asked about the tires and he assured me that they were special tires and NO WORRIES.

On Feb 24, 2019 appx 5:03pm after I stopped for gas and inspected the truck and trailer that I found that the 2 driver side tires where displaying metal. When I called and gave the information, I also stated to her that it was freezing weather and that I had my elderly mother so we needed help as soon as possible. All information was given and she was transferring me to customer service when we got disconnected. We finally got a call hours later saying that repair would be out 90 minutes. They finally came and I was told when he looked at time called was 7:46pm. They finally arrived and was finished after 10pm.

Turned on and off the truck due to the fact that on low it was so hot and when you turned it off it was immediately freezing. My mother who is elderly got sick. The next day went to fill and once again had metal showing on the other side. Called and again was down for hours. Both Good Year repair guys said that carrier should have not been left off the yard.

Both stated that the trailer would have not passed inspection and was surprised that your company knew that the tires were bald that would even allow it out. I asked them about what your employee said about being special tires. He said that there was no such thing and that you would of known that. Both companies stated the exact same thing. I left messages and was told someone would get back to me and no one did ever call back. I am accusing you of misrepresentation, failing to keep your equipment safe for public use. Violation of state laws and public safety. Please file a complaint with DMV in your state, Consumer affairs with the state and federal government. This company needs to investigated.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Rented a truck online the night before. Arrived at reservation time after a 25 minute drive there. Told the clerk I had a reservation for a 10 foot van. "We don't have one"...." I have a reservation" I answered. Her reply "Reservations are only good if we have the vehicle". (Afterwards I went online to review my reservation terms and conditions and it stated that a reservation is only a statement of what the customer prefers, that they have no obligation to honor it.)

After exchanging a few words with the clerk I left... As I walked out she asked me if I wanted to cancel my reservation… Really? While driving home I passed a U-Haul Truck Rental. I stopped in and 10 minutes later drove off in a 10-foot box van, the same type I ordered from Budget. This my second experience with Budget, one worse than the other. My advice... let the buyer beware, Budget is the absolute worst.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Without a doubt, the WORST experience I have EVER had with ANY business! I reserved a cargo van online. 500 Newtown Rd, Virginia Beach, VA was the only site listed that had the equipment I was requesting. I went to pick up the vehicle, and the desk agent was ranting over someone who was removing items from a storage unit. She told two other employees to "drive over and take care of that [expletive]!" After this, she began talking, and swapping stories with the people ahead of us in line. She said to them, "It takes a little longer to process a vehicle for walk-ins". She followed these people outside, and we waited for another 20 minutes.

My wife went out and asked her, "Could you please take time to take care of us?" and she answered, "No! I won't." as she hugged and kissed the "customers" ahead of us, before they drove off in a small moving truck. When she finally came back in, after a total of 40 minutes of waiting, I presented her with my reservation information. She then said, "I don't have a vehicle for you." I asked if she had a larger vehicle we could use at the same price, as is stated in the Budget Terms and Conditions. She said, "That [expletive] ain’t gonna happen!." (There were a 12 foot, 2 16 foot and 1 24 foot trucks in the parking lot.)

My wife asked, "So you don't have a vehicle for us, but a 'walk in' could get one?" The agent responded, "So, I guess minding your own business isn't a thing anymore?" My wife asked, "Isn't good customer service a thing?" The agent responded, "I hate dealing with people when they're little [expletive] like you! You need to get your [expletive] out of here right now!" I told her, "I'm not leaving here without a vehicle!” She then dialed 911 and reported that there were 'trespassers on her property'!! She told the police that she had a "family emergency" and had to close the office, but "these people just won't listen!" She started taking photos of my wife, yelling, "This will be in the police report!" So, my wife took a picture of her! (attached)

She went on raving, calling us names using foul and insulting language. I called Budget Customer Service number to report what was happening. The Customer Service agent said he would find us another vehicle in the area at the same price as the one I reserved, in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the agreement. But later stated that there were no vehicles available in the entire Hampton Roads region! The police arrived, and told us that the agent was within her rights to tell us to leave. So, we exited the building, but stayed in the parking lot, and waited for 20 minutes. She did not leave the building! I escalated my complaint to corporate "Customer Service”, who did not respond.

I finally had to call them, I asked for a written apology, and a free one-time rental as compensation. The response was, "I'm sincerely sorry. This should not have happened. But I don’t think you understand that we do not guarantee availability of trucks, we will not send you any form of correspondence, and we do not offer any form of consolation, or compensation to dissatisfied customers." Repeated over and over and over, a little louder each time.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information