2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

Budget Truck Rental Reviews

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

We recently did a move with a Budget Rental Truck and upon receiving the truck there was noticeable damage to the back to include the bumper being broken off the truck and sway bar, the ramp was jammed so far in the truck that it couldn't be removed, the license plate was broken off and Zip tied back into place, and the head light on the front of the truck was out. The appliance dolly we received couldn't be used either since the tie strap was almost torn off. I ended up having to take the truck in right away to get the headlight fixed but they wouldn't fix anything else since it would take too long and they were "busy."

After driving through two states one of the zip ties on the license plate broke off and when I called Budget's roadside assistance I was informed I'd have to take the truck to another repair area which added 3 more hours to the trip and over $20 in tolls. The mechanic at this Budget Rental area fixed the license plate, the people I talked to on the phone wanted them to just zip tie it back into place but the mechanic actually drilled two new holes in it and mounted it. When I returned the truck at our final destination the dealer was shocked at how bad the truck was and told me to call it in to get reimbursed. When I called in they said they would only reimburse the maintenance cost and nothing else and followed it up with a "Sorry for any inconveniences this might have caused".

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I had rented a truck from Budget Truck Rental. I get there and they had no trucks at that location. They knew about it the night before. Decided it was not important enough for me to know this. Hired helpers through their website while making the reservations. Not having the truck there, I had to go 30 minutes out of my way to get a truck. Cost me an extra hours with the helpers as they were there on time and I was chasing down a truck. Hours on the door stated 6pm close. Got there same day to drop off truck and they were closed already. Customer service is useless. Could not drop off truck and cost me even more in mileage.

Placed a complaint with Budget and all they could do was offer me a $20.00 credit, while hiding behind the fact they only take reservation but do not actually seem to hold or have the vehicles and good luck if you can get a truck type attitude. They ended up costing me an extra 120.00 because of their inability to do the right thing. Never would recommend them. Stay away from all Budget and Avis rentals as they are one on the same ownership.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Rented a truck on 12/6 to move on 12/26. On 12/23 the rental place (not Budget but a lot they do business with) called to say there’s no truck for 12/26. In fact he hasn’t seen a Budget truck for 3 weeks because they rented them all for Amazon, FedEx, and UPS for Christmas deliveries. If they knew they wouldn’t have any trucks why in the world would they agree to rent one, take credit card information, and send a confirmation email. Perhaps telling the truth would help. And if it hadn’t been for the non-budget employee calling me I would have shown up many miles away to find no truck.

When I spoke with their customer service the reply was “sometimes they are in a wreck” or “ not returned on time” and “there’s no guarantee as it says in the terms”. First, obviously this is BS as their entire fleet can’t be destroyed or misplaced. Second, it’s clear they know they have already rented them so who needs to know the terms and conditions written by their corporate lawyers to protect them? The fact is they just plain lie as is noted in many reviews above. Rent from Uhaul or any honest competitor but avoid these scammers at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Typically I would say my experience was ok but due to the fact I was charged a 30 dollar refuel fee even though I went to the gas station and filled the truck up to where the pump clicked it done. I was told you don’t go past when it clicks. Apparently it took another 20 to bring it to full. I don’t mind paying that but the 30 on top is ridiculous. Also when I dropped it off the place was closed. It took 29 mins to get the truck to shut down. The lights wouldn’t go off. I won’t go there again.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I reserved Budget Rental Truck two weeks in advance. I received an email stating that my reservation was ready. The day I went to pick up the truck with my mom, I came to the pickup location and there was no truck. I called customer service, and they attempted to locate another truck. After calling back hour after hour, I was told that that I would receive a call early the next morning, the day of my move. I received a call, and was told the nearest truck was two hours away one way in Chicago (I am moving from Milwaukee). There may be another truck closer by later that day.

As expected, I was livid as this had been set up weeks ago. I was told that I was to have confirmed the truck rental 48 hours prior to the day of rental. However, not a single email, nor anything during the reservation had stated this. In fine print, it says a truck is not guaranteed. I have never heard of a business model that asks for a reservation, but then does not provide the service. I will never use Budget Rental Truck again, and I will advise anyone I know that is moving to not use this company. I was able to locate a truck from U-Haul, and they had amazing customer service. They found me a truck, and I was able to move. If you require moving and you are doing it yourself, use U-Haul.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Awful experience....go with Penske (so much better). My truck was not available for some reason the morning that I needed it (after making a reservation). They sent me out of the way to pick up another, but then charged me twice as much (no one can tell me why). The truck was awful...headlights barely worked (dangerous), radio didn't work....loud. It was a deathtrap. Poor customer service....this company should be out of business.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I moved from upstate New York to Utah. The local U-Haul didn't have available equipment so I had to use Budget. Budget cost $700+ dollars more than Uhaul would have (in total I paid about $3600 for the rental - without hiring any movers). Expensive! During the cross-country move I had a concern about the truck and called the help number listed in the paperwork. There was no answer. Unresponsive!

During the move, the trailer hitch somehow suffered about $100 worth of damage. I had paid $250 for the Physical Damage Waiver which gives me $0 responsibility for any loss or damage. I pointed the damage out to the kindly manager when I returned the truck and he confirmed that I wouldn't be responsible for the repairs because I had the PDW. Five months later I get a bill from a collections agency, charging me for the repairs. Apparently there is a clause in the contract that invalidates all protections if the vehicle travels on a dirt road, even if briefly and unavoidably, as was my case (this clause was mixed in under the heading of racing the rental truck, strangely). And the groomed dirt road was not what caused the damage to the trailer hitch. Deceptive!

When I learned of the charges, I contacted customer service at Budget through email (I couldn't find any phone number to call) to ask them if they'd rather have the $100 or if they'd rather keep my business. It's been nearly a week and I have not received a reply. Unresponsive! The people I worked with in person, both in New York and Utah, were certainly nice enough, though. Having not heard back from Budget, I paid the $100 to the collections agency to hopefully avoid harm to my credit score. I am 40 years old and have moved more times than I have years of age. Moving truck rental companies stand to make thousands or tens of thousands of dollars off of me moving forward, but not Budget. Congratulations, Budget, you sold your birthright for a mess of pottage.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I looked at reviews here before and was worried but it was almost $1,000 cheaper than another company so I took a chance. Picking up the truck was no problem. The truck only had like 7k miles so there were no issues. I just think that when it works out great, who is going to take the time to leave a positive review, almost nobody. But if there are problems then everybody jumps to leave the review. That's normal of course, just keep that in mind though ;). One review said they don't guarantee the reservation. That would be concerning, so maybe I got lucky. If I use them again I will ask them if this is true.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I will never again use Budget Truck Rental for my business rental needs. I made reservations for 5 trucks to rent for a month. I gave them my payment information and she gave me 5 reservation numbers. The following day, I confirmed with the local representative, who confirmed that the reservations were in there and that they would have the trucks when I needed them. I called again the next week to again confirm, and the representative told me not to keep calling and that they would have the trucks when I needed them. I called the day before I was supposed to pick the trucks up and they said there were no trucks for me. I called the customer service number and the lady was extremely rude. I tried explaining my dilemma, and she kept speaking over me.

First she tried to say that I made an online reservation and that was why I wouldn't have the trucks. When I explained that I did not make an online reservation, but that I spoke to a representative over the phone, she then said that the fine print says that a reservation does not guarantee a truck. So why make a reservation in the first place?? I will never again use Budget truck for my company needs. I have had a great experience with Enterprise rental trucks.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I went online 11/8/19 and rented a 16' truck for pick up 11/16/19. On 11/15/19 less than 24 hours before my scheduled pick up.. I received call from dealer that there was not a truck available. He advised he was just a lot for pick up and drop off any arrangements go thru Budget. I called Budget customer service and was told a manager would call me within 2 hrs. 3 hours later no call back. I called again and 1 hr later I received a call that I could have a 12' truck if I drove from Charlotte to Winston Salem which would have been 86 miles and 1 hr and 45 minutes away. Otherwise they would just cancel my reservation. Just like that.

If I had not kept my commitment and cancelled less than 48 hours I would have still had to pay the entire cost, yet they can cancel with no monetary compensation. I then find out the reason they have no trucks... They rented them to UPS for their Christmas season deliveries.... with no regard for people that had confirmed rental agreements. I have already hired people to load and unload and I am now scrambling to find an available truck thru another agency, which I am sure I will have to pay a premium with such short notice.

Let us do the heavy lifting!

Take our two minute quiz to find the right moving company for you.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information