1.03/5
Based on 68 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

Budget Truck Rental

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 30, 2018

543 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Budget Truck Rental is the worst company known to man. I order a 26 foot truck 2 weeks in advance for my move and they didn't think to tell me it was unavailable until noon the day before my move. I got a 16 foot truck instead "at no additional cost" and I could have canceled and they would have "removed the cancellation fee". Um okay... So I got an pick up my tiny truck that is not big enough for my move and they end up charging me for the 26 foot anyway. When I called the shop, they told me they can't fix it in their system or it will cause a glitch so I better talk to Budget directly. Well considering you're the idiot who input the wrong price, you should do this instead of me wasting my valuable time.

But I call Budget and sit on hold for 10 minutes before I get a person. When I do, I am told I will be refunded $180 dollars once my reservation is closed so he would put notes in the system and I need to call back again...instead of them just doing it. Why on earth couldn't they just give me the refund then? So I call back the next day and the woman who answers (after 15 minutes) tells me (after being put on hold 2x) that there are no notes in the system and she could give me $105.

Well that wasn't going to work so I demanded the $180 which is the difference between the two truck prices and she refused again. She told me "the rate doesn't exist anymore" despite the fact that I was looking at the website right then and there. I told her I needed to talk to her supervisor and was put on hold...again. When I finally get the supervisor and told him the situation, he put me on hold AGAIN! Then he told me the rate doesn't exist and that I couldn't get the $180. I told him he was being absurd and that I was looking at the rate and he needs to compensate me the $180. Finally he agreed. I honestly don't have a lot of faith that I'll get that money on my card again. This is the worst company to work with. Spend the extra money to get a Uhaul or something else because this crap company will do nothing but try to take your money and give you the wrong sized trucks. Waste of my time.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Budget "Confirmed" my Truck Rental for 12/15 2:00 P.M., Denver, Co. When I arrived at 1-70 & Harlan Services at 1:20 P.M. the truck was not there. Shawn, the owner, of 1-70 & Harlan Services had been told by Budget that there was no truck and that Budget would contact me. Budget DID NOT INFORM me that there was no truck for the reservation they "confirmed". (From talking to the employees at 1-70 & Harlan Services, Budget not having a truck for a "confirmed" reservation is a common occurrence.) >>And now Budget has charged me a $50 No Show fee when it was Budget that was a NO SHOW with their "confirmed "reservation. <<<( I spoke with Steve, Budget "Inventory Manager",at 2:15 P.M. 12/15 who confirmed that Budget didn't have the "confirmed" reserved truck). From my experience Budget Truck Rental is a SNAFU (situation normal all ** up) company!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Will never rent from Budget again. Reserved a Budget rental truck for 4:30 p.m. online. I arrive at the rental location at 4:34 p.m., thinking there wouldn't be a problem. As it turns out, the location on Garden of the Gods closes at 4:30 p.m. I knocked on the door but the lights were out and there wasn't an employee in sight which leads me to believe they closed BEFORE 4:30 p.m. Why would Budget allow you to rent a truck when their locations close at 4:30? Their cutoff rental time should be an hour earlier then! I did find one location open until 5 p.m. on Galley Road in Colorado Springs. I arrived at 4:58 p.m. (just before they locked the door) and asked if I could transfer my reservation to that location. I was told they didn't have any rental trucks available and even if they did, their system shuts down at 4:30 p.m. I ended up going with U-Haul and canceled my Budget reservation. The customer service representative was extremely rude when canceling.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Rented a truck online in advance. Day of move, received a phone call that truck had "broken seatbelt", and another truck would be sent from approximately 30 miles away (approx. 2 hrs late). Truck failed to arrive that day at all. While truck was available the following day, the delay caused us to lose loaders scheduled to help pack on day rented, and also loss of unloaders to assist in another state the following day. No apologies from anyone. Made numerous calls to the corporate office -- was hung up on multiple times (customer service was HORRIBLE). Requested financial adjustment from customer service, which was finally granted, but the amount was less than 25% of what we paid, even though we lost an entire day. Never again -- rating would have been ZERO stars if possible.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Reserved a 26' truck to move from Virginia to Tennessee. When I arrived at the pickup point found out that they did not have any. Finally spoke to a representative in the "main office" who assured me that he would find one for me and call me back within 15 minutes. After 30 minutes I finally took one of the trucks that they had (16') and was forced to leave many things behind. Now after several months I still have not received a return phone call. Is this a "bait and switch?" Or simply poor customer service. Regardless, I recommend that you rent from someone else!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I scheduled a truck from Budget Truck Rental for pickup in Cranberry Township PA on November 18. The reservation was made by credit card more than two weeks in advance. I called Budget on Wednesday, Nov 15 to confirm that the specific (26') truck would in fact be available, and was assured by the national phone line operator that it would be. I drove 250 miles from Maryland to begin the move back to Maryland, and was met by two friends who drove 145 miles (one way) to help me. No truck, no call, no truck within 50 miles. The clerk explained that the normal protocol is for the manager to check the inventory and call if there are going to be any problems. I reported this by call to Budget on Monday morning, and as of 4 December, have not even gotten an apology.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I reserved a truck to move and when it was time to go and pick up the truck they told me they did not have a truck in all of Sacramento. What's the point of reserving a truck if you're not going to have one available. I have to move out today and they can not find a truck anywhere. I WILL NEVER EVER USE BUDGET AGAIN. They are very incompetent and practice bad business. At the time of the reservation they should plainly say that we may not have a truck available at the time of your request. This only guarantee the price quoted and nothing else.

The people I spoke with were rude and not helpful at all, and just keep giving you the runaround. So I asked if they had another size available and they said, "No." I am like wow really, so in all of Sacramento you have absolutely not one available truck. I think that misquoted the price and do not want to honor it, that's what I believe is the reason for all of this. They lost a customer and I will tell everyone I know and work with and I work at the united states post office. I will tell all the people I deliver mail to and work with about there bad practices.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Do NOT rent from Budget Truck Rental. I ordered my truck weeks in advance and had a confirmation number. I had to go to Indiana to move everything from my deceased mom's storage unit to my home in Texas. The only time I could go was during Thanksgiving. When I showed up to pick up my truck, they didn't have one. They said it was coming in from other city that was three hours away and "might be there today or tomorrow." I was on a tight timeline as I needed to get back to Texas. Guess what? They found out the truck wasn't even coming at all. The representative called me and said they had no trucks within 100 miles of my location. I ended up having to rent a U-Haul which I couldn't pick up until later in the afternoon. It really messed up my move!!!! DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET. I've read other reviews where people were charged a "no show" fee of $50 when their trucks weren't available!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

It's difficult to put into words the rage and disappointment I have with Budget. You make your reservation two weeks in advance. You cut your Thanksgiving holiday with family short to fly back to do your move. And what happens? No truck. None. Nada. Countless phone calls made to figure out what's going on. Being promised at five different points that you'll get a callback, in 20 minutes to 2 hours, 45 minutes, 1 hour, first thing the next morning. Never a single callback. When you get customer service on the phone, the best they can do is say sorry. The worst they do is cop attitude and say there's no way to call an inventory manager (which is untrue). So in the end, I'll have to book more flights to come back again, hope that I can re-schedule labor, and spend an additional 6 hours driving.

Thank god I happen to have a car here to get home - and that I have some flexibility with the move-out date. I can't imagine the mess I'd be in if I was in a normal situation and had to be out before the first of the month; it would be an absolute disaster. All I can do at this point is never use Budget again. The only advice I can give is whatever you do, DO NOT use Budget for your move.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I was involved in an accident on Nov. 10th due to wintry weather. I needed to rent a car to get to and from work because I did not have the option in my auto insurance (I guess hindsight is 20/20). I had rented the car for two week using the website and prepaid as the cost was about 40.00 dollars cheaper. I picked up the car on Monday Nov. 13th. On Tuesday Nov. 14th my insurance company informed me that my car would be a total loss. I had figured as much so I had already been looking at a few cars. Tuesday evening I purchased a car and the dealership was nice enough to return the rental car to the pick up location at 10 am on Wednesday morning. I was then informed by the Budget customer service reps that I would not receive a portion of the rental back due to prepaying online.

I then scoured the website and my email to see where it was notated that this was a policy. I found nothing in the terms and conditions nor did I see anything in my email. I used the car for a total of two days, I am even willing to say three days along with the discount code through USAA bank as I am in the military. I understand returning a rental early may encounter fees but 422 dollars for a three day rental seems to be a bit much. And to not have a disclaimer to those who choose to prepay is unfair and just wrong. Had I known this fact I would never have rented from them. Beware that if you prepay online you will NOT GET ANY MONEY BACK IF YOU RETURN EARLY. I had no way of knowing how the process would take. I am being penalize for wanting to save 40 dollars to ease a already bad situation. Shame on you Budget Rental.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I rented a Budget Truck from Fort Worth, Texas to move family to California. The Dealer in Fort Worth gave me a date and time for the return that was different than what the contract stated. But I heard the date and time and therefore, had that time then set in my mind. Yes, my error. So I was charged an additional $150. for late fee and late drop. They would not even acknowledge that they made this error, and so did I.

Everyone passed it on as the other's fault or responsibility. In addition, the truck had a faulty transmission with intermittent difficulties with power. It also had bad window wipers. Had to weather 2 storms. I asked at the time of rental if they had gone over everything to ensure working as I was traveling 4 days. They stated they had. Then asked if I contacted roadside. When would I have the time for this and make deadlines. Oh, that's right I didn't as they informed me I had a 5 pm return time and not the 9 am.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Truck break down - Worst customer service ever!!! Do not rent from them!!! My husband is stuck in the middle of nowhere and we've been on the phone for the last 3 hours and I either get hung up on or on permanent hold! He is 70 years old and is not feeling well. They say they cannot get out there for hours still...

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I recently rented a truck for my move from Erie to New York and it was the worst decision I ever made. I reserved a hand trolley to move my stuff. When I pick up the truck they had none on hand so I had to go through the trouble to getting another one from another company. Money was withheld from my credit card in addition to the cost of the rental, even though they have a sign that states that money is only held when using a debit card. When I started on my 8-hr drive, roaches started crawling all over and caused me to get into an accident. When I called customer service they said they couldn't do anything until I returned the truck at the predetermined location.

After returning the truck I then had to call customer service a total of 6 times in which they told me all they are sorry for my inconvenience but all they can give me is the money they held from my credit card and $40. And if I was not satisfied I should email corporate. After waiting 5 days with no reply from corporate I called back customer service and they confirmed that their corporate office agreed with the same money back that was held from my credit card plus $40. Keep in mind the money that was held on my card without argument needed to be refunded because I paid with a credit card not a debit card. DO NOT RENT ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY! Pay the extra money for another company. It will save you the headache and frustration and increase your safety on the road.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I literally only got the truck to move a couch. They are charging me for 169 miles that I did not use and the nasty girl Adrianne (Agent **) is being a **. I don't care about the money that I'm paying, I'm more pissed that they lie or someone within the company if falsifying records. DON'T EVER RENT FROM THIS PLACE!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I rented a truck from NC to NJ along with moving blankets. I returned the truck in exactly the same condition and with ALL of the blankets that I was given. However the rental location that I dropped off at said that I was missing a blanket and charged me $29 for the missing blanket. I contacted the rental location manager and got nowhere. Then I contacted Budget Truck corporate who said that it was the location managers word against mine and that they would not issue a refund of the charge for a "missing blanket". Then they gave me some email address that I could send a complaint to. They were incredibly unaccommodating and would not even consider that the issue may have actually have been on their side as opposed to mine.

Also, they never contacted me to let me know that they intended to charge my card for the $29 and they provided no receipt or email notification of the charge. The only way that I know that they did it was from checking my credit card receipt. Budget Truck has lost my both business and the business of everyone that I will share this story with over a measly $29. And I do intend to tell everyone that I know what an incredibly horrible experience that I had with Budget Truck and how completely unreasonable both their employees and customer service policies are.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

On August 10th 2017 I picked up my reservation for a 26’ Budget truck along with a tow dolly for our small car… in Branson, MO. The very first issue was the tow dolly did not have a usable pigtail to connect the trailer lights… no big deal, I got the dolly home and fixed it myself. After loading up we headed to our destination early in the morning… around 9:00 am I noticed the AC wasn’t working… in August… in Missouri. I still wasn’t upset as I know these things can happen so I called to let Budget know so they could make arrangements to repair the truck once I drop it off in WY. Now here is when things got bad. About halfway through the trip I noticed the truck wasn’t running quite right and we seemed to be using a lot of gas. I called to take to someone who might know something about the truck.

There is no such person at Budget and I found out that calling customer service or roadside will require a lot of patience and waiting on hold. This was a diesel so we thought maybe we needed DEF fluid, but this particular model did not use DEF. Customer service was more concerned about making this convenient for them and not so concerned about my time or convenience. I had help scheduled to meet me to unload our truck so time was becoming an issue. Approximately 4 hours short of our destination the truck had slowed to 30 MPH on the highway and had no power. Once again I was on hold trying to get roadside or someone who could help fix this issue. While on hold I googled the symptoms and found a procedure to clear out the exhaust filter or a purge is what it was called. This process took about 40 min and was completed by the time I was taken off hold.

Keep in mind that I am on the side of Hwy 25 North in the middle of nowhere with two small children, the complete content of my home, and it is now dark. After the purge the truck did start and we were slowly on the Hwy again, but it did not last. After a couple miles the warning light came on again and I had to pull over and repeat the process. Once on the road again, 2 more miles and the truck shut down and was unable to start. We had to leave the truck on the side of the road and get a ride to a hotel. This is about the time we should have been to our final destination. About 4 hrs short. It appears Budget customer service and their roadside are two different entities and every call required me to repeat what I considered to be an excessive amount of information after being on hold for an average of 20 min each time. Convenient for Budget, not so much for my family.

Now I have a full 26’ truck that doesn’t run with a car in tow sitting at a tow lot the next day. We are exhausted and are facing options of unloading this truck at a tow lot and transferring it to a different truck, leaving the truck to be repaired and getting it later, or having the truck towed, but on Sunday there was no one to provide answers or options. We decided have some family help us unload a few things to help us sleep in our new home so we left most everything and we made the final trek to our new place and meet with the keyholder to the home. We had to purchase some small-wares to get by. On Monday the decision was made to tow the truck and we had the truck and unloaded by Thursday the 17th and I had to unload without the help I had scheduled and around my job. Once again I was exhausted. I found that I am really not as young as I used to be.

Now this whole time Budget is telling me that I am responsible for this truck, but they left this truck in my yard for a week after it was unloaded before they came to get it. I had to store their truck for them and they made me responsible for it. I’m pretty sure the tow lots Budget uses does not store these trucks for free and it was just expected of me? By this time I have spent hours on the phone trying to get answers, scheduling, and now closing this rental. I call to try to close this rental and they tell me they cannot until I turn in the truck. Really? The drive shaft is dropped in my yard and when the picked it up, it went to a shop to be fixed. I still don’t know if this has been closed out and this is 10/03/17.

I have no idea how these people stay in business. I have seen the other complaints online and I can’t imagine why anyone would ever use these guys. I know the temptation of cheap rental trucks is strong, but you are really rolling the dice if you rent from Budget. I use a rental truck on occasion as we are a family that moves more than most and our hobbies require it at times, but Budget got the last dollar from me that they will ever get. This issue is still ongoing and I’m not about to let this go as me and my family went through a lot of discomfort and to this day the customer service reps I have talked to do not even express any form of apology for renting me a truck that was defective or for what they put us through. They seem defensive like they are protecting their wallet. Unbelievable! This is the first rant I have ever done. Not my thing, but these guys have gone above and beyond.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Reserved a 16ft truck on 7-2-17 to move my son over Labor Day weekend. Got email confirmation and email the night before verifying pick up time. Got a call a half hour before pickup saying my truck was not available and I would have to drive to Evanston to get alike truck which is over an hour from the house vs 20 minutes. I asked them to go pick up and they would not. Said the only thing they had was a 26ft truck which they would swap for same price. Said it was much too big for what and where I was going in a residential area but I was out of options so went to pick up.

1st 26ft truck ramp would not come out totally. 2nd 26ft truck did not have ramp. 3rd 26ft truck another ramp that would not come out at all. Owner tried to call around and son/I went to lunch. Came back-nothing available. What a waste of time. Never again. Went to nearest Home Depot and rented a Penske truck. In/out in 10 minutes. Just terrible. You make reservation months in advance and get verification and email reminder to find out my truck is not there. Wasted over 3 hours of my time. Stick to rental cars. Bet the renters who returned broken ramps got charged and then never fix item just ship to different dealer. Joke.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I will NEVER use Budget again. I booked a moving truck from the Davis location on Olive Drive one month in advance of the day I'd need it. I get a call at 4pm ONE DAY before I'm supposed to pick up my truck from a guy who seemed less than sincere saying that they don't have any trucks left and won't be getting any in for at least five days! Where the hell did my truck go?! How is this place's inventory tracked?!?!? This left me stranded without a truck to move and no other company in the area had trucks available because it was such short notice.

I asked if despite my moving truck being ripped out from under me if I could still use the moving blankets and dolly I'd reserved as well and guess what I was told... that I can only use those if I rent a car or truck along with it. WTF!? I DID have a rental to go with those things and you lost it you idiots!!! This has completely ** with my moving day. I am telling everyone I know about this horrible experience and customer service, and given the poor reviews this location has online, I hope it gets shut down. UNBELIEVABLE.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

The truck that I rented was not at the location I reserved. The inventory manager said my best bet was to take one from 50 miles away. This truck bounced all the way home. It didn't recover from the bouncing either. I wanted to return the truck but I was told I would have to pay the full rental price. Budget said my only option was to call roadside assistance. They would get me another truck and have it delivered and take the other one away. After 4 hours, I was told the only truck was another 45 miles away. The maintenance manager said I had to bring the truck I had, there to exchange the truck. It was a difficult drive on winding roads then I would have to get on 95. I did not think that was a good option as it would have taken me 3 hours to complete this transfer. I have to use this truck and hope I get there in one piece. The bottom line is don't rent a truck from Budget whatever you do.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I scheduled the truck rental from Enfield CT to Cornelius NC. Went to pick up the 26-foot truck on 8/16 at 5 p.m. as requested per the truck rental facility since they close at 5:30. The truck was not in the lot as of yet. The truck did not come back until after 5:45 p.m. The agent checked the mileage and made sure there was a full tank of gas. He also unloaded some equipment from the back and then handed my husband the keys and we were off. No maintenance was done on the truck at that time. As my husband was driving the truck down the street there was white and black smoke coming from it. We did not think that Budget would give us a bad truck since they knew we were doing a 800 mile trip. We packed the truck on 8/17 with the help of movers and started on our way on 8/18 at 12:11 p.m. We were on our way to what we thought would be a one-day trip.

We had just gotten beyond Waterbury, CT approx 1 hr away from home when the truck had a yellow triangle light go off advising engine service needed*. We pulled off the exit 17s and went to the closest gas station. We called the number on the budget truck and I was transferred to a Fleet Service Company which advised us it would be an hour from the time we called. They took very little information. 1.5 hours later I called back and they advised me the driver was looking for us on the highway even though I had told them we had gotten off an exit and pulled into a gas station.

Budget connected the phone three ways so I could give the mechanic the proper information. The mechanic showed up approximately 45 minutes after that. After looking at the vehicle he advised us he took care of the issue and reset the codes and we should be ok. We started on the way again and two exits later the light came back on and advised the same thing as noted above.

We have been in stop-and-go traffic and thought maybe it was overheating. (Yellow triangle with words stating engine service needed*) We decided to eat first to see if that helped. The light was still on after an hour. We then called the Fleet facility again and they advised us they would get the mechanic right back. I spoke with a supervisor there who advised me that the mechanic should be doing a "re-gen" on the truck. Another hour and a half later we still did not see anyone. I called back to confirm they had the right address since they weren't really listening previously. It was now getting dark and starting to rain. About an hour later the same mechanic as prior came back & checked the vehicle again. I explained that the company advised they should be doing a re-gen. He explained what it was and told my husband we could do it.

I thought that was odd because Budget told us he would do it. He advised we must be on a hard surface not near any grass because it could take approximately an hour and get very hot. He did not do it for us even though we were in a parking lot. My husband asked if it was safe to drive. He confirmed and stated as long as the red engine stop light does not come on we are good to go. He did advise something mechanical was done on it 2000 miles prior. The vehicle was still sounding rough and it was dark and raining so we had to take a hotel after driving an additional hour.

The next day we were on the road by 9 a.m.! We drove about 3 hours and stopped for lunch. Every time we started the engine a big puff of smoke would come out. We continued on about 2 hours when the RED engine light came on. We again pulled off an exit and I called Budget. I advise them exactly where we were in Virginia. EXIT 213A off of 81S. They advised due to the remote area it could take an hour and a half. After 2 hours waiting for the mechanic and with two very upset and scared children I called Budget again and spoke to Will. I asked him to get me on a three way call with the mechanics so I can advise where I am. He advised he is not allowed to do that and he would call me back.

About 20 minutes later I finally received the call. As Will began to tell me it was going to be a while I asked him for a manager and he connected me with Jim **. At this point I was very upset because I was advised it would be another hour before anybody could come. It was dark and we were on a rural road with nothing around us but at a bottom of an exit ramp. I asked Jim for his last name and he refused to give it to me. I explained to him I was very upset and had two children who were very upset and that they needed to call the tow truck company and find out when they will be here. He advised me there was some delay due to issues on the highway and the tow truck driver would be there in 30 minutes.

By this time it was dark out so I was very upset and the manager was rude. This caused me to cry and my daughter and son to have anxiety/panic attacks. The mechanic Gary called back and came. He was fantastic. He advised he was only called 10 minutes prior by the fleet company. Unfortunately he advised us we should never have driven this truck because service should have been done on it for the issue of the leaking oil a long time prior. There were 57 issues that he could see that have been "cleared" by prior mechanics. He advised us not to drive this vehicle any further except to get it to a truck stop down the road.

We had to get another hotel but because of it being the weekend of the eclipse and a big travel weekend for college students all the local hotels were booked. We had to go 30 minutes back north to Lexington Virginia. We ended up having to have the 26-foot Rental Truck towed from the Pilot truck stop in VA all the way to Cornelius, NC. That was four and a half hours away. There was damage done to my furniture due to the truck swinging back and forth. It was a horrible experience for my children and my family. I would recommend to stay away from Budget and also make sure to get any mechanical records reviewed prior to your long trip.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

First off, moving is stressful enough. If it's moving across town or across the states, you have a lot to deal with and you do your best to do it in the most cost effective way possible. When comparing truck rentals for a move consisting over 1100 miles, I wanted something that I didn't have to sell my first born child to accomplish. With that said, I chose Budget Truck for this move. I liked the fact it was a flat rate and unlimited mileage. It was the best deal when comparing other rentals.

Picking up the truck was great. They tell you it's an easy ride, walk you around the truck to verify past scratches, dents, or any other issues from past rentals marking down on paper for you to show the drop off team when you arrive at your destination. They will ask if you are familiar with diesel fuel, if you are not then they will explain. They also tell you when dropping off you must fill the tank since you are leaving with a full tank, you arrive with a full tank or they will charge you for not filling. Fair enough right?

Before arriving to destination, I did just what they said. I filled the tank. I arrive at the drop off 3 minutes before closing (not intended but) and the worker was locking the door and said, "I'm closed. Come back tomorrow." OK nice customer service but whatever... Return the next morning hoping he had his coffee and doughnut to be a little more pleasant, I meet someone different and give him the keys and paperwork and he goes to check the truck. He comes back and said, "Everything looks good but you did not fill the tank." I respond, "Yes I did. I filled it and I have the receipt to prove it. The gauge says full." The employee states, "I can not see the gas in the tank and we do not go by the gauge..." I'm sorry what!!!

First off when picking up this truck, I was not shown the gas in the tank! Second are you kidding me really!! The employee then stated, "If you do not fill up we will charge you $30 for just taking the truck to a station and whatever the TOP OFF is." Well I refuse to do this and called corporate. Corporate states, "We have your back and will reimburse you of any charges." So in other words Budget, you don't mind that your centers charge your customers wrongfully but you "have our back."

Sorry Budget but that is a pathetic way to run a business and hope for positive feedback. Not only will I post on Facebook and other media, but have shared my story with so many. I hope others will read and find a better company that is proud of their company and the consumers who keep the consumers wanting to return, rather than a company that doesn't mind their consumers having to be upset, call corporate, to say you're getting screwed but we have your back!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I reserved a 26' truck. A big move this weekend, received a confirmation e-mail, and planned the whole move - hiring movers, getting friends to drive with me 233 miles to my storage unit, renting a new storage unit where I now live, etc. Today, just a few days before the move this weekend, I get a call from Budget HQ in Denver that the truck they've reserved for me has been downgraded to a 16' truck, totally inadequate for my needs. When I questioned why Budget could do this to me at such short notice, the agent smugly quoted part of the bottom of the confirmation email that said everything in this email (except for price) was simply a preference, including equipment (i.e., truck), pick up and drop off locations, pick up and drop off times, and pick up and drop off dates.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and he said he was one. When I asked how Budget could stay in business when they can pull the rug from under the feet of their customers like this, he just hung up. I then went online to cancel my reservation, as he didn't do it. Very, very shoddy company. Never renting a car again from them again either.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

We rented a 24 foot truck, loaded it, hit the road going across 3 states in the summer heat, and the AC broke 10 minutes into the trip. We had 21 hours of driving in 105 degree heat with no AC. We had no choice but to proceed as the truck was full and we had to be back at work in 3 days. I called the customer service and out of the $1250 that we paid for the truck they only offered us $200 off. The truck was hot, dirty and in bad shape and Budget would take no responsibility.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We have only had negative experiences with Budget Rental. I tried to first book a moving truck online, which the system would not allow me to use my preferred pickup and drop off location. So I called customer service. After speaking with someone on the phone for about 15 minutes they told me they needed to transfer me because they were unable to do this type of booking (moving truck). They transferred me to someone in another country (USA) who does not book trucks in Canada even though they knew I was from Canada.

Lady was quite rude and not helpful at all. She would not tell me how I get at least get a rough quote instead of wasting my time being transferred around to find someone to help me. I have to say Uhaul has a much more user friendly website that shows EXACTLY what you will be paying, the customer service is more knowledgeable and it's just easier to deal with them. Very disappointed, I've been told Budget is a better deal, but I suppose that's only if you can get ahold of someone who can actually help you. Would not recommend using them.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I am a Service Member with the US Armed Forces, and chose "Budget Truck Rental" to use for my PCS move. At the time of pick up, the dispatcher kept reminding and bringing to my attention "If my truck breaks down for mechanical reasons, don't call your insurance. Immediately call the 1-800 for roadside assistance". The dispatcher said this to me approximately 3 times, the third being right as I drove off. I didnt think anything of it until 7 hrs into my trip with a time of 1730 (5:30pm) 31JUL17, the 24' truck lost power in the freeway. I kept trying to accelerate but the truck was going 1MPH on a 70MPH Interstate. I pulled over safely to the side of the road and called roadside assistant, just like the dispatcher told me to do.

The roadside assistance provide me with the best service and assistance, I honestly give them "5 stars" for their performance. It took approximately 1 hour before a mechanic went to my location and diagnose the problem. When the mechanic arrived, he inspected the truck and concluded the transmission is broken. Also forgot to mention my alignment went to ** when I lost power, I had to keep the steering wheel at the 10 o'clock just to drive straight. The mechanic told me they are going to have to call back Budget to figure out the next plan of action. Roadside assistance called me back within 30min to tell me it's going to be a while, because they are coordinating to see if they are replacing the truck or towing me.

I waited for an additional 2 hours, and no phone call. So I call the 24-7, 1-800 number for Budget customer service and to my surprise they are close. Why are you going to print a customer service number on the pamphlet stating 24-7, and not be available 24-7? Moving on, roadside assistance called and gave me a 2 hour ETA for my tow. At approximately 0030 (12:30am) 1AUG17 the tow truck arrived, and tow me the rest of the way. I didn't arrive to my destination until 0200 (2:00am) 1AUG17.

Finally at approximately 1300 (1:00pm) 1AUG17, I called customer service, and after 30 min of waiting for someone to pick up I told them the whole story. Not once they apologize nor shown compassion to my situation. They couldn't answer my question, and they wanted me to be the liaison for everyone. They wanted me to call both dispatchers, roadside assistance, the towing company, and deal with them on my own. After being stranded for approximately 7 hours, you want me the customer to do your job of customer service to coordinate between departments? NO, that's your Job! I called customer service again, and this time I wanted to speak to a Manager, so I waited and additional 30 min, when the manager answered the phone he was very defensive. Why the hostility, you are supposed to provide courtesy regardless of how angry a customer may be, which I wasn't.

I just wanted to know why do I have to do all the leg work, and how am I going to be compensated or refunded. He then told me I must close my contract first before I can be "partially compensated" by returning the truck back. So I empty my truck with all my household goods, and close my contract. I called customer service so I can get compensated or refunded, and all they compensated was $80 credit back to my card out of a $1000 rental amount, this is unacceptable. Because of the breakdown, I was stranded with my family in an unsafe environment for 7 hours, pitch black, kids hungry and thirsty. I wasn't able to arrive on time to get the keys to my home, which cause me and my family to stay at a hotel at 2am, causing unexpected out of pocket expense, plus the additional hours I put in for temporary working for Budget as a liaison between departments, because apparently Customer Service can communicate with other departments.

In addition to the madness, I got of hold of someone in roadside assistance, and asked them if it's common for dispatchers to emphasize roadside assistance like how my dispatcher told me, they told "No, it is not common and lately this year we been having dispatchers sending broken Trucks out for rent." To finish this review, Budget can't send me a copy of the report, so I can show my employer; because apparently their systems aren't capable of emailing or sending any kind of verification. I guess I'll have to get back on the phone verify all security questions and then put the phone on speaker so my employer can hear and verify this happened to me. I will not be using this rental company for any services, nor recommend Budget to anyone to use. I will advise all service members getting ready to PCS not to go with Budget, you run the risk of breaking down.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Several weeks before my move, I made a truck reservation through Budget, which was confirmed by an email, for August 5, 2017. My confirmation number was **. Truck pickup was scheduled for Smokey Mountain Truck Rental at 10:00 am on August 5, 2017. I received several email reminders from Budget leading up to my move. Two hours prior to my move (8:00 am) on August 5, 2017, I received a phone call from an agent with Smokey Mountain Truck Rental stating that they (Budget) did not have the equipment (truck) I reserved available and would be unable to locate a substitute in time for my scheduled move.

As you might expect, this news placed me and my family in a serious financial dilemma in that we had already secured 3 paid movers to assist us with our move. Since this fiasco, I've repeatedly attempted to contact Budget for some understanding about their policy of last minute cancellations. I've received no response to my multiple requests. My recommendation is simple - do not ever use Budget or Avis! Very Disappointed!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Truck wasn't at location - I had to drive an extra twenty miles to pick one up. Was given broken hand truck. The speedometer and gas gauge on the truck didn't work, neither did the light in the back of the truck. Called customer service and was given a few extra days on the rental which I was later CHARGED FOR. Drop-off location had no sign and was behind another building - virtually impossible to find. Overall, charged over $2500 for a miserable experience. Extra charges I was never told about when I rented the truck... I'm hiring a lawyer and filing a fraud claim. AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I picked up the truck in Katy, TX and let them know at that time that the tire pressure sensor was on. They checked the tires and let me know that it was "just a sensor" and the light was going to remain on. I dropped the truck off at my house and went to work. That evening when I got home and met with the movers, I discovered I was charged for blankets that were not even there. I had to use my own stash which ended up really dirty by the time I arrived in Arkansas. I was barely out of Houston and the ABS check light came on. I now had TWO check engine lights on. As I was going up and down the hills of Lufkin and Nacogdoches, I realized that my ability to break well was compromised. I kept on, pumping the brakes hard as I needed. When the bugs became plentiful in the countryside, I searched frantically for the washer fluid so I could see out my windshield. Nothing. Another let down. This truck did not even have cruise control.

When I called customer service, they offered me 15% off and refunded me for the blankets I never received. I got a total of 74.00 back. WOW. Thanks guys. That did not even cover my gas. I'm grateful I arrived in one piece, even though my nerves were pretty frazzled as I kept worrying I was going to lose my brakes completely. I told them to NOT rent the truck again to anyone else, as it was unethical to rent that truck to anyone because of safety issues. With this ** company, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. My truck number was 401573 and if anyone rents that truck in the next week and ends up with a blown out tire or no brakes, here's your proof that I tried to help and prevent a future accident. Budget Truck Rental give you a budget truck. I should have paid more for the peace of mind in the 11 hours of travel I had on the road. It was not worth the savings.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

We received a %25 discount to rent from Budget... that part is great. In trying to rent a car trailer or car dolly, they have certain cars that you are allowed to tow. We couldn't tow our 1972 Jeep because it's not on their list. This is crazy! So we went to Penske and rented from them even though it cost way more, they don't have a limited car list and neither does Uhaul. My husband argued with several people. They are all stubborn. That also applies to renting just the trailer or dolly, they won't let you unless you are renting their truck.

Original review: July 30, 2017

This is the second and last time I will purchase a truck or anything from this company. The first time I use this moving company was to move from New Mexico to my home state of Michigan. I was in the military, got out and started a new chapter in my life in New Mexico. Needed to get back home to my home state, my fiancé and I needed an inexpensive truck to move all our belongs to Michigan.

I rented a 16' truck with a car carrier because I had two cars. We had a blow out on the road because of some faulty equipment. The mud flap, which is made out of metal, had rolled into the tire and blew it out. We had to stay on the side of the road in Oklahoma for about 2 hours until a guy came to fix our tire. We also had to stay an extra night at a hotel. I had to call customer service about this issue and had to stay on hold for about 40 minutes until I finally got someone. He told me that he will transfer me over to a guy that will help me with the issue and then he hung up. I then had to wait an additional 40 minutes to finally get someone again. He told me he would give me the price for the car carrier back. Got that back, everything was ok. I did not ask for the hotel fee that I had to spend because of Budget's faulty equipment, I was just glad that I finally got to talk to somebody about this problem.

The next time I had to get a budget truck, it was to move closer to my new apartment. I just got a 16' truck. I reserved it 2 days in advance. I get to the place where I was supposed to pick it up and there is no available truck for me. The guy there tells me that there is a budget truck store nearby that I can get the truck from, about a 15-minute drive. In my head, I was thinking "here we go again" but I kept sane. We get to the new place and the guy told us that because we are getting this truck, it is “putting him in a bad spot” because we are getting this truck from him. We did the walk around and everything that I thought was noted on the discrepancy paper. We got the truck on a Friday and had to return it on a Sunday.

We finally get to our apartment and started unloading our belongs into the apartment, mind you that it is Friday when we started. My fiancé and I had a lot of stuff to unload so we figure that since it is only Friday, we would start unloading again that next day, Saturday. We started again Saturday and notice that all the things that was in the back of the truck was soaked. Our sofa was soaked and damaged and non-replaceable things was too (Pictures, military documents, treasured items, etc). It had rained overnight and there was a hole at the top of the truck. At this point, I am outraged and my fiancé ended up calling someone at customer service.

Once again, about an hour long wait time to finally talk to someone. The guy over the phone told her that we are sorry and will give you a full refund and that he will note it in his comments for the next person to look at. I paid almost 200 dollars for everything. We ended up dropping the truck back Saturday at around 6 or 7 pm. Mind you that we had until Sunday at 8:30 am to return the truck. We get there and called back to make sure everything is correct. We talked to a new guy over the phone about our refund. He told us that he had no record of a refund noted in the comments under my name! He then quickly put it down to his notes and told us to call back on Monday to process everything. My fiancé called back on Monday and this guy at customer service, once again, DID. NOT. HAVE. ANYTHING. NOTED. ABOUT. A. REFUND.

At this point, my fiancé and I are both mad and ask to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor, Steven, gets on the phone and we told him everything that has happened in the last few days. He told me that he is very sorry about our things being damaged and that he will offer us 15 dollars... FIFTEEN DOLLARS FOR EVERYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED?!? I then got on the phone and told us that the guy that we spoke to over the phone offered us a full refund. He told me that he does not see anything like that in his records. The most he said that he can give us is 15 dollars. I told him, "After putting us through all of this, we will take it" and he said, "Good."

Few days has passed and I check my credit card balance. They charged us a no show for returning a truck hours before it had to. I called customer service once again and the lady on the had told me “Wow, how could this have happened?” I told her “Your guess is as good as mine” She then told me, "No worries, the money will be back on my card within 5 to 7 business days." She told me "thanks for choosing Budget truck" and then I told her, "never again."

Budget Truck Rental Company Information

www.budgettruck.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use