3.1/5 (2744 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Budget Truck Rental

Budget Truck Rental offers individual and commercial moving services. The company provides rental trucks, packing supplies and moving services. It offers some discounts and is widely available. Renters can choose between a range of cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12-foot to 26-foot trucks.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top Budget Truck Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a 16' truck from Budget a few weeks ago and received great customer service from all of the employees that I met. I picked up the truck the evening before my move, Linda ...

Verified

Rented a 16 ft truck to move my mother from Indiana to Georgia. Other than the line at the pickup being long, everything else was just as good as expected. Truck was clean and ran...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Budget Truck Rental?

Budget Truck Rental is a moving truck company that caters to individual and commercial clients. It operates nationwide with more than 1,600 company-owned and dealer locations. You can choose between cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12- to 16-foot trucks, depending on how much you need to transport. All the trucks in its fleet have automatic transmissions, power steering and power brakes, making them easy to operate. Many also come with walk ramps or liftgates.

You can also rent towing equipment, hand trucks and furniture pads from Budget and get packing, loading and unloading assistance from its partner company HireAHelper. Budget also offers protection plans for its rental trucks, which include supplemental liability insurance and roadside assistance. It provides discounted fees for AARP members, military veterans, students, members of the Bar Association, EMTs, firefighters and police officers.

Budget Truck Rental services

Budget Truck Rental has thousands of locations around the country. You can make a reservation online, on the phone or in person. To get a quote and finalize your reservation, you’ll need to determine when you need the truck, where you’ll pick it up and drop it off and what size vehicle you need. Budget offers traditional trucks measuring 12, 16, 24 and 26 feet long. For smaller moves, you can rent a cargo van or pick-up truck.

Budget also rents out its trucks for light commercial use, offers towing equipment like car carriers and tow dollies, sells packing supplies and rents out hand trucks and furniture pads. You can also opt to get packing, loading and unloading assistance from HireAHelper.

Budget Truck Rental prices

Budget Truck Rental’s rates vary depending on the type of move. Its prices include a flat daily charge for the truck rental, per-mile fees, gas, taxes and fees. It also requires a $150 refundable deposit. The per-mile fee can range from $0.60 to $1.00, and the daily truck cost can vary from $19.99 to $49.99 or more.

You can also add liability coverage, but this will increase the price. Budget also charges no-show fees and late-return fees. Your cost will depend on where you’re moving from and to, when you need the truck, truck size and any extra services you desire. Its weekday rental prices are generally cheaper than weekend rates.

Budget Truck Rental FAQ

Are Budget trucks reliable?
    Yes, Budget’s trucks are reliable. All its locations perform 10-point inspections on the equipment before each rental. The company maintains its equipment regularly, purchases new trucks annually and retires older vehicles. If something does go wrong, the company offers 24/7 roadside assistance.
    Does Budget Truck Rental take debit cards?
    Yes, Budget accepts payment by debit card. You can pay with debit at the time of the reservation and when you return the truck. If you use a debit card, the deposit amount will appear in your account as a hold.
    What do I need to rent a truck from Budget?
    To rent a Budget truck, you need a valid driver’s license and a credit or debit card. On the day of your reservation, you must present your license and a second valid form of ID. This can be a credit/debit card, valid passport, Social Security card, U.S. military ID card, employer-issued photo ID, a current utility bill or a pay stub.
    Where is Budget Truck Rental available?
    Budget Truck Rental has over 1,600 locations in the U.S. You can use its location finder to find the closest rental facility.

Is Budget Truck Rental good?

Budget Truck Rental offers rental trucks, moving services and packing supplies for individuals and commercial customers. For those taking on a DIY move, this is an ideal service. The company has thousands of locations around the country, and it’s generally affordable for local moves. However, its fees can add up quickly, especially if you’re planning a long-distance or multiday move, and insurance coverage and roadside assistance come at an extra cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

Something told me to re-confirm my confirmation number with the local Kent, WA location that I had made 2 weeks ago for a 16-foot box truck. Lo and behold I was told that although I was given a confirmation number and quote that it did not mean that there would be a truck available to move my elderly mother into Assisted Living 2 days from now. Say What? The gal I spoke with was non-committal and dispassionate that any truck in any size could be confirmed on the day that I had "reserved". Luckily and with faith I actually found a truck immediately with another rental company that could actually confirm the equipment for me. I will never call Budget again for anything! If there was a rating with zero stars I would have rated them at that level.

Original review: July 29, 2022

I attempted to rent a truck from this company 45 days ahead of my move. I go to the location to pick the truck up and they say they don’t have any trucks available. They said call customer service and they will be able to find one in the area easily. Customer service tells me they don’t have any in the entire state of Minnesota available. They also said budget is not responsible for having them available…. I just hung up on them. Do Not use this crappy business.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2022

Filthy, loud truck, broken hand truck, check engine light on,. Nasty worker at desk. Still trying to get refunded. Do not ever use them. Horrible getting thru to headquarters. They charge $50 for insurance which is ridiculous.

Original review: July 24, 2022

Rented a 16’ Budget truck in Canton, OH, and drove it to Durham, NC (9.5 hrs). The truck was filthy. Chewed gum in door handle well, used surgical mask on floor, windows filthy, and cab smelled incredibly bad. No iPhone charging port; no amenities whatsoever. Truck body was dented and tires were worn. The crazy thing is Budget truck rental cost was only a small amount less than other options, yet every Penske, U-Haul, and Ryder truck I saw on my drive looked like new. The rental experience is another story and is something I will address separately with BBB.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Before you rent from them, just be aware that they do not put customers first. For one, I reserved my budget truck about a month in advance, then when I was randomly reviewing my order one day, the reservation was gone. When I called they said they my reservation was cancelled because someone else needed the truck. What does that even mean?? Also I would have NEVER known that I wasn't going to have my truck if I hadn't randomly checked the reservation and then called. But my main complaint is in regards to all the water damage that basically ruined half of my things. There were leaks all throughout the truck so when it rained, the water ended up damaging my mattress, box spring, clothes, rugs, etc.

When I called I explained that I did not pay for the insurance, but they assured me that regardless of this, I would be eligible for compensation due to the fact that the truck was not secure. I mean it's one thing if my stuff got stolen, but the damage to my stuff was 100% due to their truck having holes and not being up to standard with what they claim.

Anyways they send me on this wild goose chase to submit a claim which takes foreverrrr. Then, 15 business days later, we receive a letter saying we don't qualify for any compensation because we didn't opt in for the insurance. Why did they make me waste hours of my life filling out forms and emailing people just to tell me what I already knew and explained to them from the very beginning?? All this to say, I understand that I didn't get the insurance, but given that all the damage to my things was solely due to defects in the vehicle, I am disappointed that they have led me on just to tell me a month later that they aren't going to help me at all.

Original review: June 10, 2022

If I could give them 0 star for Customer Service I would. The truck itself drove fine and we got to where we needed to be just fine. However, I was told at the Utah location that if I bring the truck back before it was due, we would get a refund. The drive to our new home was 12.5 hours. It took 30 min to unload and if the drop off location was open until 10:30pm, we would've brought it back. However, we settled with bringing it back the next day because the minimum they offer was 4 days and we would still bring it back way before the due date. We bring it back and ask for the refund and the lady said we would have to call customer service because they don't deal with that there. I call customer service and after being on hold for 15 minutes, they tell me that they couldn't get ahold of the Utah location, possibly because it was Memorial Day weekend but if I kept my receipts for gas and such, she's sure that I could get my refund.

Fast forward to Tuesday and they tell me they don't do refunds. I ask for a supervisor, they said they'll call me within 24-48 hours. I wait Wednesday, and still no call. Thursday comes and I directly ask for a supervisor and I wait on hold for 45 minutes and finally get someone. They tell me that they'll have to send a request to the Utah location since they told me about the refund there and once they hear back from Utah location, they will let me know. Fast forward to Tuesday, (I wanted to give them a couple of days to actually call me before I call them but that didn't happen) and the rep said that they should have an update by Wednesday. I wait Wednesday and Thursday and still no call.

I call them Friday (today) and I was told that the request was denied. I'm incredibly frustrated because I wasted my time and energy, calling them for almost 3 weeks now waiting for a resolution that would satisfy both parties. I understand that I wasn't going to get the full refund but I was told by 2 people that I would at least get something. If they offered a 2-day minimum for the truck, we would've taken it because it didn't take us long to get to our destination and unload. The customer service representative had the nerve to tell me that she didn't have a supervisor today when I asked for one and suggested I call back tomorrow. Um no. I'm out a LOT of money and I'm just annoyed at the lack of compromise with the company.

If they don't do refunds, then why would I be told that? I feel that I've been very patient and gave them the benefit of the doubt every time I've called them but every time, I've had to wait on hold for 30-40 min and rehearse to them my situation. Very frustrating and disappointing end to our experience with Budget. I suggest looking at all the rental truck options before settling for them.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I made a reservation online several weeks ago for a 26' truck and car trailer in CO. I then get an E-mail out of the blue yesterday telling me that my reservation has been canceled without any explanation with only 10 days left before my move. I called the 800 number at the bottom of the E-mail only to get someone who barely speaks English to tell me that they canceled the reservation because they cannot find a truck??? You have 10 days to go and weeks to prepare. Where are all your trucks. So I am left out in the cold with no truck after I already made airline reservations to fly in and pick up the truck and book movers. So mad and aggravated. This is worst treatment than U-haul. Don't ever rent from Budget! They clearly do not care about their customers and have no clue how to run a company!

Original review: May 11, 2022

I have been trying to get a 26ft box truck with a lift gate for several weeks. I flew out to Ohio with the little bit of money I had to pick up my truck that was confirmed by you guys. When I got to the location they told me they haven’t seen a truck in weeks. I had to use the money to pick up the truck to fly back home. You guys have no idea how much you have cost me. It is not right what you have done I am drowning in bills and even faster now because I was trying to pick up a truck that was never there to begin with. I do understand there is a shortage of equipment but I was willing to travel anywhere in the country to pick it up in good faith you guys made that reservation with an actual truck being there. I can’t get to a supervisor because you guys are terrible with customer service. I need to speak to somebody about this matter this is not right and you guys can’t keep doing this.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I made a full confirmed reservation with Budget Truck Rental approximately one month in advance of needing a 16' moving truck and a trailer to carry a car across. Approximately 23 hours prior pick up I got a call from the local rental office telling me that they did not have a trailer for me! I called the national office and they said they would look for a trailer, but that it would be "difficult" to get a driver to deliver a trailer and then have to drive back to their own offices... About 2 hours later I was told that there were no trailers available within 150 miles and that basically I was up the creek without a paddle and could call one of their competitors. Penske got my a truck and trailer that afternoon! In my book Budget Truck Rental is not going to follow through and they certainly don't care about service!

Original review: March 15, 2022

Renter beware. We made our rental reservation months in advance, only to be warned by the person at the pick up location that Budget is notorious for allowing rental reservations through their corporate site and not having any logistical expertise on delivering the truck to that location. If the business owner at the pick up location wouldn't have warned us we would not have had a moving truck. I can't stress how important it is to find another truck company to protect yourself from this situation. Budget needs to change their system here...very unprofessional.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information