1.03/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

744 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Truck could not be driven faster than 50 mile per hour because the left front tire wobbled and caused the truck to shift left to right making a 5.5 hour trip last 10.5 hours. Also the ramp would not lock in so we had to load the truck without it making it a nightmare. I contacted Budget and was told I would be giving some refund after I drop off the truck and to call back. So I do that and call back and now Budget says all they will do is file a complaint against the store that rented me a bad truck. Well that's not good enough.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Beware! We had reserved a truck months in advance from Budget for our daughters college move. The day before our move date, we received a call from Budget telling us that there were no trucks available at the location where we reserved the truck. We were told that the inventory manager in Colorado would assist us in securing a truck from another location close in proximity. We received a call from the inventory manager, who I found out later his name was Sergio, who rudely told us there are no trucks available. I was somewhat startled by his tone since there was not any prior discussions with him. I asked for his name, and he refused to provide it, when I pressed him more, Sergio hung up on me.

I called the location where we reserved the truck and he was very helpful (Evanston Il), he looked around and found a location not far that had numerous trucks available (location by ORD). While I am giving Budget a one star (Primarily due to Sergio, the Inventory Manager in Colorado) the managers in both locations were extremely helpful in assisting me to secure a truck. I do not understand how Budget, a large truck rental facility, retains an individual like Sergio to interact with customers. I travel quite a bit. I will not rent trucks or cars from Budget moving forward. In addition, I am notifying my company of the situation as well.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Try to pick up my Truck for a move 9/13/19. NO Truck available. I had called the location the day before for directions and they said nothing regarding No Truck available. The location said to call reservations, I did and after being transferred twice was told a manager would call me back within 2 hours. Two hours passed and nothing. I call UHAUL and for $40 more than budget was charging rented a truck. Very Lucky they had one. Would never book with Budget Truck Rental again!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Rented a 16 foot moving truck January 12, 2019 to be returned by January 14, 2019. Made one trip from Newburyport, Ma to Windham, Me on the 13th of January. The size truck they recommended for a 950 square foot home was not sufficient. Made a second trip to Newburyport, MA to get the rest of belongings. Upon arrival at old home in Massachusetts the truck had a loud squeal and the check engine light went on. The engine also revved up. Called the roadside assistance number at 10:30 pm on the 13th. At 2:30 am on the 14th of January we were called and advised no one would be coming. This left us stuck in a mostly empty home with no transportation.

Called Roadside Assistance at 7:30 am on the 14th of January. They stated they were unaware we had not been helped. They did send a man out who suggested that the fleet had several mechanical issues. He was not able to repair the truck and would call for a tow. I called Roadside Assistance back and they said they would have a truck delivered within an hour. At 12:45 pm we received confirmation that a truck would be delivered in approximately 2 1/2 hours. Keep in mind we are past the return deadline at this point. I was assured there would be no extra charges for late return on the 15th of January by customer service. The truck finally arrived at 6:00 pm on the 15th of January. We made it back to Maine with the final load at 11:30 pm.

I had to call out from work on the 14th due to the breakdown. My rate of pay lost for the day was 187.00. I had to make two trips from Massachusetts which had I been rented to correct size truck would not have happened. I had to make arrangements to get the truck back by 9:45 am on the 16th to a location 30 minutes away from me. The whole thing became a nightmare.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Hi, my name is Jeremy. I rented a moving truck on 8/31 from the Cornelius NC location in which I was told I could return the truck on 9/3 by their representative. Instead I returned the truck to the Concord, NC location around 6-7pm on the same day of 8/31. Since the extra space storage facility was closed I was told there is a dropbox beside the facility, Concord Shops (gas station) in which I went in and was told to put the keys outside in the box. I was not given any receipt in which I spoke with the owner who informed me that I should have received one. When I asked about surveillance cameras (from the storage facility next door) to prove I parked the truck and returned keys on 8/31, I couldn't get any help on that end.

Budget is saying that I have been legitimately charged an extra 142.59 for turning in the truck on Sunday 9/1 (after I was told I could keep it until Tuesday 9/3) and customer service actually hung up on me twice. Anyone else moving should really consider just paying the extra money because it will end up costing you extra in some capacity if you use Budget rentals. This company is truly horrible and unprofessional.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Red flags started immediately. We had an appointment to pick up our truck at 1300 and we’re on a tight schedule. While there were multiple people in the building, apparently only one person could rent us the truck and trailer, and he was at lunch and wouldn’t be back until after 1330. We were finally able to rent the truck at 1500. During check out and explanation of charges, he said he hadn’t known about how bad the extra charges were if you brought the truck back late without calling. Upon damage inspection, there were a number of large scratches all around the the truck. The trailer wheel hubs were bent and cracked, but didn’t spear to be touching the tires.

After we loaded the truck and hit the road, it became apparent very quickly that none of the wheels were balanced or aligned. The trailer would pull one way and the truck the other causing the beginnings of “death wobble”. If we drove over 65, the engine sounded as if it was metal on metal scraping, so we couldn’t even drive the speed limit the majority of the time. Our 12 hour driving day became a 17 hour driving day. We checked the trailer tires multiple times and it seemed to be losing pressure, but ok the first day of our trip from KC to Vermont. The next morning, one of the trailer tires had lost enough air to need to call budget for roadside service.

We called the 800 number as instructed. We needed them to fix the flat and give us an extra day with the rental as the amount of time to get service was going to knock us a day off schedule. They said Goodyear would be out in 1.5 hours to change the tire. (AAA couldn’t change the tire on the trailer with my boyfriends membership.) Customer service said they couldn’t change the contract and we’d have to call our origin or destination of the rental to get the contract changed. Both the origin and destination said they couldn’t do this and we needed to call customer service. When we said we had been directed by CS to call them, both said they’d call their “boss” and get back to us. So far crickets. It’s been an hour and a half and we are definitely not making our destination today. It’s another 10 hour day in a regular car. Most likely with this death trap, it will be 13 if they actually come and fix it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I reserved a truck to move my son to college three weeks in advance and received my confirmation. I was to pick up the truck at 4:00. At 1:20 they left a voicemail on my phone stating that "unfortunately" the truck that I had reserved was not going to be available. "Hopefully" one of their competitors would be able to help me. There was never an apology, never an offer for assistance, never an offer of compensation. They did leave me the customer service number. As I was left to scramble for a truck at the last minute during one of the biggest college move in weekends in the Midwest, I did not call them at the time. I was able to book a truck with one of their competitors.

Two weeks later I opened my credit card statement to discover that Budget had charged me a $75 no pick up fee. This time I did contact the customer service number and I discovered that they actually have a number on their menu dedicated to "If you have been contacted about your truck availability" obviously this is a regular problem. They did refund the $75 no pick up fee. I would recommend that you follow their own advice and use one of their competitors.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Thanks for cancelling my reservation (after the pick up time) and not even having the courtesy to let me know you didn't have a truck. You cost me $300 in moving fees, $45 in Uber fees, and a ton of stress as I will miss the closing on my house now. Horrible customer service at all levels - your service is even lower than "budget". I will tell everyone how horrible my experience with Budget has been. Whoever sets your customer service policies should experience this service first hand as I cannot think of a way that you can have handled my situation worse.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

My 13 year old daughter, 3 parrots and 2 cats were driving from Indiana to South Florida. At 05:30am on August 4th we noted smoke from the trailer. The truck wouldn’t go above 35 or stay running. We could not run the AC for longer than 5 minute intervals as the service engine light was on and the truck would shut off. The first service guy was from Goodyear, left us an empty tire and said he ‘didn’t know how’ to change tires. He arrived at 9am despite the promise from Budget of help by 7am. Budget kept promising someone would come help in a ‘half hour.’ It was 88 degrees. We had no water as we drank what we had. Budget knew we had no water, were in a truck that wouldn’t run, and had animals.

Finally at 1:45pm help arrived. The fender of the trailer had to be cut off as it was rubbing the tire and could cause the tire to blow. The repairman made the truck go to the nearest exit to complete the repair as we were in an unsafe location for anyone to work on the truck. My Husband drove from South Florida and arrived at the same time Budget’s help arrived. Aliyah at the location we rented the truck from said we would be reimbursed ‘gas, lost wages and full cost of truck.’ We have not been reimbursed. Company transfers you to multiple people and none are helpful. Stay away!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

I received a call the night before my reservation to inform me my location did not have a truck for me and to call the 800 number so they could find me a truck. I called right away and was told the person who takes care of that was gone for the night and would call me in the morning. I was suppose to pick up my truck in the morning. I reserved a truck at another Budget location to cover my bases, I didn't want to wait until morning to see if I could get a truck. I went to pick up the truck from my second reservation and they didn't have a truck either. It is still 2 hours after my pick up time was scheduled and I still have not received a call from Budget?! How can I have 2 reservations, but NO TRUCK. I am very disappointed and upset from the lack of service Budget gave me. I would say the 4.4 star review from Google is not accurate. I would recommend any truck company over Budget. I will probably use UHAUL from now on.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information