Budget Truck Rental

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Budget knows how to take a reservation but do not know how keep a reservation. Morning of pickup I get a call that they do not have a truck for my move. This is after a two+ week reservation. This appears to be normal practice from Budget by the number of reviews that have similar issues. Main thing is 40% off of nothing is still nothing. Should have just gone to U-Haul or Penske to begin with, Both of them found me trucks within an hour and had it delivered to my location. This would not have been so bad but the sales rep behind the counter could have cared less, whereas U-Haul got on-line and found a truck before I even asked. Now that's customer service.

I needed to move my elderly parents, 84 yrs and 80 yrs, from Northern California to Southern California on 6/28/2017. I compared UHaul and Budget and went with Budget 16' since it was slightly cheaper at $378 for 3 days and 480 miles. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE! Basically, when you make a "reservation" with Budget Trucks, it means nothing. For other companies,when you make a car rental reservation, they save that car for you. Can you imagine reserving a hotel room and show up the day of and find that there is no room "reserved" for you? Or making a reservation at a restaurant to celebrate and show up and there's no table for you? BUDGET DOESN'T RESERVE A TRUCK FOR YOU BASED ON YOUR RESERVATION. Their call center is making all the truck reservations with very attractive prices, but they do not link those reservations to a vehicle. What a terrible way to run a business! They ruin people's lives with no regards to consequences.

When I showed up on 6/26 to pick up the truck, they didn't have a 16' available, but the on-site agent said that he was expecting four to arrive the next day 6/27, he did have some 12' though, but I didn't take it because I needed more cargo space.The next day I called and he said the four 16' trucks didn't arrive and he only had one 12' truck. I asked him to save that for me while I drive there to pick it up. When I called back, he said that he got yelled at by his manager for "promising" this 12' truck to me and he had to give it up. WHAT?

Here I am, trying to move my elderly parents who were already extremely stressed out about the move and now I wasn't going to get the truck that I reserved two weeks prior? The agent at this San Jose, CA location said that he had to cancel 500+ reservations the previous Friday. 500+? Are you kidding me? Budget made that many reservations and didn't have any trucks for them. What a scam! What unethical and thoughtless business practices!

I had to scramble around, calling UHaul (not available), moving companies (over $1000+), and finally found a truck with Penske (which, by the way, I highly recommend!). I wished I had read reviews about Budget Truck rental prior to this whole experience.What they do is ruin people's lives and they should be ashamed of themselves. DO NOT EVER RENT FROM BUDGET TRUCK RENTAL! They entice you with a lower rental price, but they have no trucks to fulfill those reservations. Moving is already so stressful, the last you need to worry about is trying to find a moving truck at the last minute.

Confirmed reservation over a week in advance, re-confirmed less than 48 hours before pickup. Got a call the next morning saying the equipment I had 'reserved' (24' truck) was sold out and that they didn't have the size under either but only pickup trucks. Cancelling the reservation was also a nightmare. Budget proved to be the single worst company I've ever attempted to be a customer of. If you've had similar experience, please contact your State Attorney's office.

This is an absolutely horrible company. They never have the truck size you request and once they never even called to tell me. And the second time they made my pick up location 30 minutes away from my original reservation. I tried calling to get my new reservation and I got hung up on. Then the corporate phone number could use their computers because the system was down. This is the absolute worst company I have ever had to use.

We reserved a truck and car two weeks ago and we're supposed to pick it up at 8 am today. 30 minutes before we were supposed to pick the thing up Budget calls us and says our truck broke down, but don't worry, because they're going to get us another one TODAY - just wait for a call back that will take 15 minutes to 2 hours! Mind you, our utilities are getting shut off today, and the realtor is supposed to be in here to take pictures of an empty house this afternoon!

So, we get a second call about an hour later and they're like "how far are you willing to drive?" Well, considering I already had to go over 2 cities to pick up this truck, not that far! These trucks eat gas, so driving tons of extra miles isn't cost effective! They say we can either wait 2 days for a truck or drive 2 hours away (one way!) to pick one up! That's not even close to reasonable! And, there was no extra discount or free days on the truck for having to go that far to get it!

The guy was like, "oh, too bad then," and says goodbye. Too bad, so sad, "**" our loyal, repeat business customer! Not even an apology for THEIR huge screw-up because they REFUSE to maintain their trucks until they're broken down on the side of the road! So, here I am with a house full of people trying to help us move, utilities shutting off any time now, an irritated realtor, and three kids who have no food in the house. All because Budget Trucks can't function as a business! Do the world and yourself a favor, do not deal with this company and make them go under!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

12hrs before my move, I get a call, “WE DON'T HAVE A TRUCK FOR YOU TOMORROW, YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL TO ANOTHER STATE TO GET ONE.” I say “What no truck! I reserved, got confirmation, 2 weeks ago on truck…” Snotty response, "You can't expect us to know ahead of time where our trucks will be." I have to move out in 12hrs… no truck, fine get up drive to another state, Indiana from Michigan, get off interstate, drive 30min in out around city, thru neighborhoods, etc. to other part of town, 45 min... Get to small place FULL OF TRUCKS, can't even drive in and park... Lovely little Indiana lady, gives us clean truck, nice kind... She needs to move out of there, and away from Budget Rental... Drive back to Michigan, move out, move in... Return truck... The last I will ever see driving away Budget rental sign getting smaller and smaller, do not rent Budget..."They have no idea where their trucks will be." No way ever again Budget…

I booked a truck online plenty of time in advance. Hired some people to help me move and show up on time to pick up rental. The person said, "oh sorry... No one called you? We don't have any trucks." Couldn't find another company with such short notice so their mistake cost me over double what the rental would have. To top it off they charged me a $50 no show fee?!? When I called the store then customer service no one seemed to care.

I placed a rental request from your company for May 27, 2017 for a 24' moving truck. We went to the Lawrence, KS store at 8 am to pickup our truck and the employee, Zack told us that we were lucky to have a truck that day. He told us that he had several reservations that day that didn't have trucks available and it was going to be a bad day. He started our paperwork and then told us that our truck was not going to be available and that we were out of luck and "that's just the way it goes". I, of course, was very upset. He told me that the only thing he could do was offer me a 16' truck. I was extremely disappointed, but we would make it work. He continued my paperwork and then told me I wasn't allowed to have that truck because it belonged to someone else/he didn't know where the keys were. He could offer me one 12' truck.

I was appalled at that point and couldn't believe my ears. He was so incredibly blasé about it and could not care less. I was sitting there with my three small children, my husband and another couple in my same situation. I asked if it were possible to get two 12' trucks. He told me over and over that that wasn't a possibility. I asked him to call his manager (Drew **) and Drew answered once and then stopped answering his phone. He called another manager, Avery, in Kansas City and he swore to me that nothing could be done and this was a simple case of overbooking. We received no notice of the overbooking and never had a chance to go with another provider. During the three and a half hours I was stuck at your location with nothing being done, I was threatened to have the cops called on me and remove me from the building - in front of my five, three and 8-month old children.

FINALLY, Zack told me I could have two trucks if I would leave. I agreed to rent another truck and that I could call customer service upon return of the truck and have the charges dropped from my rental. We had a four bedroom house and several large items to move with these two tiny trucks with no ramp. It was seriously difficult to say the least. I called the customer service number on my way to return the trucks (after refueling them) and was told they could do nothing. Talk about being furious. I couldn't believe my ears. Here is what I have been charged so far:: 12' truck rental - $150, 12' truck rental - $150, fuel from taking multiple trips back and forth - $184.47, two random charges taken out two and a half weeks later - $340.82 & $163.79. This truck rental has cost me (so far) - $989.08. This is robbery. Money is being withdrawn from my account with no explanation.

Let me start by saying from pickup to drop off it was a HORRIBLE experience. I arrived to pick up my truck and carport and to my surprise, the carport was broken. I had to wait an entire day for a different one because they didn't have another one available. This was a MAJOR problem being that I was moving out of state and was on a time crunch. I had to wait an extra day before I could even leave, very inconvenient. While on the road maybe 5 hours out from my destination the carport broke off the truck. I had to call the police and they called a local tow company that assisted me with safely getting me and my children off the road safely. Meanwhile, my children and I sat in the truck for over 6 hours waiting for the carport to be fixed. Once it was finally fixed we got back on the road.

When it was time to drop off the truck I went to the drop off location only to get there and couldn't get my truck off the carport because the Budget guy rigged the truck to stay on the carport. The guy who worked wouldn't offer any assistance to take the car off the carport. I called the headquarters and they told me it would be over an hour before they could send assistance. After being outside for about 20-30 minutes the guy who works there comes out and he couldn't even get it off the carport. He had to use chain cutters to get my car off the carport. Then just recently I was charged by Budget AGAIN for a toll road fee. I called to find out why and the representative stated that I was in Rosemont, Illinois going through a toll there on May 2. Which is insane because I was in Virginia May 2 paying a toll there. And this resulted as a result of them changing my carport last minute. I WILL NEVER IN LIFE USE THEIR SERVICES AGAIN! EVER!!! Horrible business!!

Allow me to first state that I rarely, if ever, submit complaints concerning customer service. However, my recent encounter with multiple Budget employees led to perhaps one of the worst customer services experiences I have ever had. In a nutshell, it was terrible, terrible service. I rented a 20 foot truck for a one-way move from Louisiana to Tennessee. I picked up my truck in Mandeville, LA (Causeway location). To begin with, the person manning the store wasn't even there when I arrived. Although there was a sign on the door saying they would return in 15 minutes, it was more like 40. I wasn't greeted or welcomed, simply just asked, "Do you have a truck reservation? Which one?" At this point, he informs me that he had another truck ready but, since someone just dropped off another one, he was just going to give me that truck.

He spends 40 minutes entering information into the system. During the process, he asks me if I would like insurance, which I decline. At this point, he simply gets up from his desk, opens a drawer, pulls out a form, and slaps it in front of me. Without an explanation, he goes back to his computer to continue entering information. The form was an insurance waiver form which required proof of insurance for certain coverages, which I don't have with me because I'm not aware that I needed them. So, of course, I have no choice but to purchase coverage. All during this time, the man does not speak to me or the people with me. I felt both scammed and frustrated by his very obvious lack service.

He then takes us to the truck. As he mentioned, it was just dropped off, which is evident because it HAS NOT BEEN cleaned! And it smells terrible. He tries, at this point, to be friendly but, honestly, it's just too late. By this time, its been over an hour. I take the truck because I do not have another 45 minutes to spend getting another truck. He does tell me to leave the key and paperwork in the truck and to lock the doors when I drop it off.

When I arrive in Nashville, I discover that the box truck is leaking. I drop off the truck at the designated location (B and C Rental, off Donelson), leaving the items where the man told me. It's Sunday, so no one is at the location. On Monday, at 12:50pm, I get a nasty vmail from the woman at the drop off location stating: "You didn't leave the keys or the paperwork in the key drop. You're going to have to come here today and bring that in." I try calling back NINE times. No one answers. And there isn't a vmail option.

I call customer service to see if they can help: they tell me all I can do is keep trying the location number and that I should be aware that they probably closed at 1pm since it was Memorial Day. When I ask if there is someone I can speak with concerning the overall customer service of this venture, the guy HANGS UP ON ME.

I finally get ahold of the lady at the drop off location; I tell her that I left the key where the guy told me. She says it should have been in the key box and that she will have to charge me for a locksmith. (Ok. My bad.I should have checked the paperwork, and not just assumed what he said was accurate.) I tell her I've been trying to call, to which she says, "Yeah, I heard the phone but I was in the back. And we closed early." I agree to pay the fee and ask her to please call her before running my card with the charges. Three hours later, I get another nasty vmail, stating the fee but that my card was declined. The call ends with her slamming down the phone. (This is why I asked her to call ahead; I have a security feature on my card that I knew would cause it to decline.)

With all due respect, this was one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had. It would be one thing if it was just one person at one location, but it was every person I dealt with at Budget. Absolutely terrible. I went with Budget because the prices were a bit more competitive but I'm not sure I will ever use Budget again after this. I have worked with both Penske and Uhaul in the past and never had an experience even close to this.

As someone who works with the public in the service industry, I can hardly believe that such a thing could happen. If I treated my customers this way, I'd be fired or out of business. I'm not really sure what else to say, other than I hope you value your customers enough to at least take this seriously. It truly was one of the most terrible customer service encounters I've ever had.

My son finish college in Phoenix and we needed to move him back to CA. Reserve the truck 2 weeks in advance to get a call the night before pick up that there were no trucks available and that I was on my own to resolve the situation! And it was memorial weekend so no other company had trucks available for one way destination, call their customer service and a supervisor responded to my call within an hour to tell me that they overbooked their trucks and I needed to figure out how to move my son on my own! If this the kind of service they provide I will never again be impressed by their rates because I got stuck!!! Be aware if you rent from them. Have a backup plan. I did not!!

We had a reservation for a truck rental for over 2 weeks and at 5pm the night before I am to drive 7 hours, 2 days of work taken off, people to help me move have taken off Budget rental calls to tell me they don't have my truck. I have spent hours speaking to several nonenglish speaking individuals. They tell me someone will call me within 15 min to 2 hours to let me know if they can find me a truck. 2 hours later and another nonenglish speaking nonhelpful customer service agent (I use that term very lightly due to me getting absolutely no service) they tell me I can call the rental pick up store that has my reservation in the morning.

So I am suppose to leave my home in MS at 3am (7 hours from now) to travel to IN (7 hrs away) to probably not have a truck when I get there, and hope that by the time they open and I speak to the idiots who didn't have the truck to begin with and see if they have my truck. Totally insane way to operate!!! I have never been so disgusted in my life for the way we have been treated and not having any consideration as to the trouble this has caused! I have hotel rooms that are nonrefundable so I am out money I do not have!!! Horrible company!!! I would totally be ashamed to say I worked there! Answers the question as to why there are no English speaking so called customer service!!!

Budget Cancels Reservations without notice - On 5/10/17 I reserved a truck online to move starting 5/25/17 for two days to pick up on Watson Rd. in St. Louis Res # **. I went to check it on the Reservation late last week to find out they moved the reservation and doubled the price. I called and spoke to Jessica (Employee # **. She was great.). We got the reservation taken care of and they resent me a new reservation.

This morning at 12:50 am I get a email that my move is almost here, that I should not forgot to pack and move. At 9:21 and 9:23 am I get two cancellations emails from Budget that my truck has been cancelled. I called and spoke to Ryan at the Hazelwood office in St. Louis. He apologized but said they just got notice today that Budget is cancelling a lot of reservation. And gave me the Customer service number. I called Customer Service. Spoke to Fernada (?) who put me on hold for Customer Service.

Richard then answered the phone. Said he could do nothing to help. I informed Richard I would like to talk to his Manager as it was unacceptable that no truck was available and that NO contact either time was ever made to me about any changes or cancellations. (Although they said they reached out to customers when they cancel.) Richard put me on hold and I had to leave a message for Michelle **. I am still waiting for a call back.

What I don't understand... Is that today is Tuesday. You are telling me that no place in St. Louis or the surrounding area has any size truck available even if it's only for one day. I bet you I could drive around and find a trucks just sitting. This is the way Budget treats customers... I can't believe how low they have sunk. Way back in the days I use to rent Ryder, Budget and Penske trucks. I prided my self on NOT having no trucks situations for my customers. That was always U-Haul that let people down... Can you imagine... I am now going to U-HAUL to rent a truck... Because they are the ones that will honor a reservation. Renters beware... If you are moving on a holiday weekend... Your reservation will be cancelled if you are calling Budget... They have no care in the world about overbooking... And screwing you in the long run.

I am not one to write online reviews, but my experience with Budget recently was so abysmal I felt compelled to put something out there for others to consider. Upon seeing some other post their comments, I wish I would have done my due diligence on this company prior to booking my reservation. Shame on me for not doing my usual research.

A few weeks ago we were moving our family from our old house to our new house. I used one of the coupons the post office sends when you change addresses to book our reservation for a 26' truck (moving a 4 bedroom house). Even before the discount, the price was great; with the coupon, price was unbeatable. Well...sometimes you get what you pay (or about to pay) for when settling for the cheapest. My reservation was scheduled for 9:30 AM on a Saturday. I received not 1, but 2 emails from Budget within days of my scheduled pick up confirming that my truck was ready and my reservation confirmed. Ok, all systems go.

Then, the Friday night before I was to pick up the truck, I received a call from the KoP office at about 4 minutes before they closed that my truck was not available and to call Customer Service to find another truck. Once I received the VM, I immediately called the KoP office within 5 minutes only to get an office closed message. I called the national customer service and spoke with someone who told me that there was no 26' truck available within a 25 mile area, but a 14' or 16' truck. I tentatively confirmed the 16' truck would work, but was not happy knowing such a small truck would require more miles to move my home. The Customer Service Rep said someone would call within 2 hours (mind you, this is now 8:30 and I was going to be trying to get some early shut eye before my big move). No call received...At that point I went to U-Haul's website and easily found a 26' truck available the next morning at 9:30 within 3 miles of my home.

I called U-Haul the next morning, everything ready to go. Perfect. I then get a call from Budget confirming they had a 24' truck FOURTEEN miles away!!! I did not even bother calling back at that point, but the best is they had the audacity to email me a reservation confirmed notice for this truck. Why the hell would they expect me to go a total of 28 miles+ out of my way to get a truck is beyond me. So, Budget, cheap, unreliable, awful customer service.

Point of this story, I typically always used U-Haul. This one time I decided to try Budget and save a couple bucks, all I got was more grey hair and a lot of frustration. Never again. I understand not having a truck available, but waiting until 2 minutes until midnight (figure of speech) to call and inform me that they don't have the truck they confirmed not once, but twice, was ready for pick up on moving day, is an absolute joke. If anyone is to ask me should they use this company, my suggestion: Run, don't walk, away from doing business with them.

Like MANY people, I had a HORRIBLE experience with Budget Trucks. I rented a truck, even got a confirmation email 2 days prior to pick up stating that the truck was ready. However, the day prior to pick up - after 2 pm, I receive a call from Budget telling me that the truck I rented won't be available. The representative's only answer was to speak to Budget customer service. When I called them up, I was told that they would "escalate" this and have someone call me within 15 minutes to 2 hours. I called back 10 minutes prior to 2 hours and the rep said he couldn't do anything because 2 hours hasn't been reached.

At 2 hrs and 1 minute, I called back and was told that I would be "escalated" again. I called back the 3rd time and the lady said she would look into this right away. Nothing happened...absolutely nothing. Ended up using U-Haul. Thank god for the internet. The tides are turning in favor of the consumers. Was I livid, hell yes. Would I use them again. NEVER. If it was worth time my time, I would sue Budget for a breach of contract. As an attorney, I am positive I would win, but I am sure Budget is banking on the fact it isn't that important for most consumers. It probably isn't, but trust me I am going to tell ANYONE and EVERYONE that will listen about my experience.

I recently rented a Budget rental truck from you. It was a good experience until I showed up to pick the truck up. I rented a 20' truck but was given a 26' truck and was forced to pay the extra fee for it. They told me that they only had 16' trucks and couldn't get a 20' truck but were able to get a 26' truck so I had to pay for extra insurance because my insurance company wouldn't cover the 26' foot truck but my insurance would cover a 20' truck. I was not told that I had to purchase exhaust fluid for the truck. I was told to fill it every 50 miles. I purchased enough to cover the miles I traveled but after purchasing the additive for the exhaust fluid it turned out that I didn't need it. I was told at the time of pickup of the vehicle that I could drop the truck off any time prior to closing on Saturday without penalty. When I arrived at the rental place it was closed or no one was there.

I was also told that there was a Pilot gas station north of the rental store but when I traveled north there was not a Pilot gas station for miles. I drove around for nearly an hour before I realized that the gas station that had diesel was not a Pilot gas station at all. When I returned to the rental place to drop off the truck, no one was there so I dropped the keys in the door drop area and left. I was billed for 3 full days instead of 2 days for a truck I didn't want, insurance I didn't originally need, packing blankets for an extra day and extra exhaust fluid I didn't need because I was told that I need to add it every 50 miles. I called customer service and he told me to call the local store and tell them about the extra cost I was billed for.

That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. I was WAY overcharged a full day for a truck I didn't reserve. Now when I call customer service I am told to call the main store to complain. What kind of customer service is that??? I expect a refund for one full day for my troubles. I cannot believe you would allow such poor and disrespectful customer service from your employees.

My experience with Budget Truck Rental was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was misled and lied to throughout the entire process and ultimately charged more money than I agreed to. That said, the specifics of this situation start on April 28th at 10am. On April 28th, I was called by one of the Budget employees that work at the 5911 Blair Road office. The gentleman told me that they did not currently have a truck, and that he would call me back by 1 pm if they received a truck. I never received a call. So, at approximately 3:30 I called to see if there had been any progress on the rental. Now, I was told that I should call customer service so that I could be compensated.

After I hung up with the 5911 Blair Road office, I call the Budget customer service line. After about 30 or so minutes of waiting and transfers, I was told that my situation had been escalated, and would be sent to a Logistics Manager. I was also told that I had to wait a full 2 hours before I call customer service back. At this point, I googled the local Budget office's hours of operation. I was surprised to see that most of the stores closed at 6 pm EST.

So, I called customer service back to let them know that I had not received a callback from a logistics manager. When the customer service rep opened my account to see what had been documented; the rep told me that a full 2 hours had not yet passed and there was nothing that they could do before the time had passed. After the rep made that statement, I told them that the stores would be closed by the time the 2 hours had passed. The rep then told me that the logistics manager would follow up with me before the time was up. The call from the logistics manager never came.

So, at about 6:30 pm on April 28th I called Budget customer service back. They then told me that they would escalate my case and a manager who would call me back. By this time, I was frustrated because I had now wasted a full day waiting to get a rental that I never received, and no had no chance to receive that day. So, I told the rep I want to come to a solution now! They said, "Ok, I will look for a rental for you". After about 10 minutes and the rep had not found a rental, I asked what my options were, because they had already made me a day late getting my truck, and there was not going to be much available at other companies either.

I was then told by the rep that if I could find a rental that Budget would pay up to 150 dollars over the price that I was quoted. So, I clarified, I asked, "If I have a 350$ rental with Budget, you will give me 500$ to put towards a rental at a different company?" The rep then replied, "Yes", she then followed up to tell me that if I could find a truck from Budget, the trip would be comped. So, I started by looking for rentals from other companies, and was not able to find anything. At this point, I decided to look on the Budget site. When I searched for the same size truck that I had already reserved for the 28th of April, there was nothing available. That said, the website then gave me an option to rent a larger truck. So, because that was the only truck available in the DMV (D.C. Maryland, Virginia) area, I quickly reserved it for 9 am.

The next day (April 29th), I woke up early and called the Budget office to see when I could pick up the truck and they said they were open at 8 am and, I could pick the truck up as soon as I got there. I then went to the Budget rental site that was substantially further away from my house than that initial reservation by Uber. When I got to the site, the store was filled with disgruntled customers who reserved trucks much larger than the trucks that they received. When I got up to the front of the line I was told that Budget does not make it well known that when you make a reservation you are only locking in a price that does not guarantee that you will actually get a truck (which is not made known on the site).

So, I got the truck and immediately called customer service to let them know about all the trouble that I had gone through. I also made it clear that I felt that I should not be charged for a truck that was 3 times the initial price that I was quoted, 3 times the distance from my home, and would require at least 3 times as much fuel. I also told the rep that I did not want to keep the rental if I was not going to be comped for my extra expenses and the truck itself. She assured me that I would not be charged for the rental or the gas, and I would be compensated for my added trouble commuting to the rental site. So, I asked, "Can I have the charges removed from my account now?" She told me that she could not remove the charges now, but when I returned the truck they would be taken off my account. So, I asked again for clarification, say, "So this rental will be free", and she replied, "Yes".

I then went on to say, "I don't want this rental if I have to pay for it after I have been inconvenienced the way that I have been." The rep then told me not to worry, because when I turn the rental in, I would be compensated for all the charges that I had incurred. So, I asked her to document these promise in on my account, so that there would be not confusion. She told me that she did. So, I asked for clarification once again saying, "You documented that I will be compensated for the rental and all extra expense incurred", and she said, "Yes". So, I drove the truck to my destination (Columbus, Ohio). When I turned the truck in on Tuesday May 2, 2017 I had a bad feeling about the entire situation.

So, on Wednesday morning May 3rd around 10 am, I called customer service to make sure that the promises I had been made would be acknowledged and honored and I would be compensated/refunded the money I was charged and my Uber fees. When I finally got through to a customer service rep after 20 or so minutes of waiting and gave my reservation information, I was horrified to be told that there were no notes about a full refund. I was also told that they (Budget) don't even do refunds and she was not sure why I was told that. She went on to ask me if I knew the rep that told me that my reservation would be comped by their name and employee id? I told her no. I also told her that I did not even know that I could ask for that type of information. She went on to tell me that I she should not have told me that the reservation should be comped (acknowledging that I was made this promise), because it can't be.

At this point I was running late for a meeting and asked if she could call me back. The rep told me that they could not make outbound calls, but I could call back. So, I called back around 12:30 pm. After waiting about 25 minutes or so to speak to a rep, I was told once again that I could not be refunded my money, but they would put me in contact with a manager. Would call me back in 1-2 hours. I never received that call. So, I called back at about 4:00 pm and was on hold for approximately 1 hour before I spoke to customer service rep. The rep's name is **, and after she listen to my story, she told me that she would transfer me to a manager. She put me on hold and then after a 5-min of waiting she told me that she would have a manager call me back in 1-2 hours. I immediately told her "NO, I have been told that at every step of the trip and have never received a callback."

She went on to tell me that there was nothing she could do to help me. So, I asked how she felt that she could hang up with me when she had not solved any of my issues. She told me that that were other customers that she could be talking to that she could actually help. So, I asked her, "Are they more important than me?" She told me that I could take it that way if I wanted to. So, I asked her what her name and employee id number was and she told me, "**". I then told her that I was not hanging up until she connected me with a manager. So, we waited for another 10-15 minutes before she connected me with a manager named **.

** was one of the rudest, most condescending people that I have ever dealt with. That said, I told ** that I had been severely inconvenience and was told that my rental would be comped by a Budget customer service representative, but I was still charged. She went on to say, "We don't give free rentals, that's not how we do business". So, I replied, "I understand that is not how business works, but I made it clear to a Budget customer service rep before I left the lot, that I did not want to take the rental if I was going to be charged, and I was assured that I would not be". ** went on to tell me that she was sorry that I was told that, but they don't do that. She also told me that she would talk to the rep that told me the reservation would be comped, because she should not say that (once again admitting I was made this promise).

So, I told ** that because I was told that the rental would be free, and I also made it clear to a Budget employee that I would take the rental back if was going to be charged then, the rental should be free. She said, "I can't comp the rental, all I can do is give you the price you were initially quoted and refund you for your rental." I then told her, "No, I need to be compensated for the rental and gas, because I was promised I would be". ** went on to just say abruptly, "No, we don't do that, and you should not have been told that". (Once again admitting that I had been led to believe something that turned out not be true.) I once again told her what I was promised and told would documented and that Budget should honor their promises. I also said that I made it clear would take the rental back if I was going to be charged.

I also told ** that it was fraud to tell me something, then wait till I am charged and then tell me that what I was told was not true. She said, "I don't care what you were told, we don't do that". She went on to ask me, "Do I want to have the rental price matched or not?" The conversation went on for about 20 minutes repeating the same thing. I told her I was promised something and she told me she did not care and would not do it. So, I asked to speak to her manager, and she told me that she was as high as it goes, and I should take what she was offering because I she was going to hang up. I told that it was fraud, and she told me, "I would have to take that up with my bank". So, I asked for her name and she said, "**". I then asked for her last name and she said, "**". So, I asked again, "What is your last name" and she said, "**".

I then asked her if she could give me the name of the person that told me that my rental would be free, but did not document what she had said. ** told no, because that was not her information to share. So, I asked how it was ok for her to acknowledge that I was lied to by an employee at Budget, but would be not be able to share the name of the person with me so I could report her to the proper authorities? ** then angrily told me that the rep's name was not her information to share.

At this point, ** was all but yelling that she would match the initial price quote, and would give me an email address to send my receipt to for my Uber charges. As she continued to aggressively tell me what the email address was, I continued to ask her how it was ok to take my right to choose, by telling me a rental was free to bait me in and then switch the story when the charges come? At this point she was still yelling the email address to me as I was speaking (talking over me), and when I finally wrote it down and repeated the email back her, but still had questions, she hung up.

THIS WAS ONE OF THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE. I was lied to, misled, then stolen from, and then told I should have not taken the truck to start with. I can't believe that I am being charge over 1000$ for a rental I would have taken back and told the rep I would, and was told I should not worry because the truck would be free. I bought a car from Budget, rented my previous moving truck from Budget, and to be screwed over by them in this way is upsetting, dishonest, and fraudulent.

We rented a truck for moving from one house to another- we were closing on both in the same day so our stuff was loaded up on a Thursday and had to stay there until afternoon on Friday. The truck itself was EXTREMELY challenging to get the back open- I couldn't get it open at all but my husband with a lot of force was able to. On Friday we got rain- sure enough the Budget truck leaked over a bunch of our stuff! I called this morning to tell them about the issues we had since we dropped off after hours and they basically told me, "Who cares, you didn't put the gas back to where it should have been. There is a $30 charge for that." And just kept transferring me into oblivion where no one could help me. I then checked my bank account to see that they had deducted more than DOUBLE of the agreed-upon amount for the rental. I am very unhappy and it will be the absolute last time I use this company for anything.

I reserved a truck online for my move from Wisconsin to Michigan about 3 weeks prior to my move. I had hired actual movers to do the heavy lifting for me on both ends so I was relying on that truck being reserved for me on that date and time. I received an email verifying the date and time and even got a call from the Germantown location verifying the reservation. I made arrangement to pickup the keys early and was ready to go. The day before the move I received a call stating that they wouldn't have a truck available for me nor would they have a smaller or larger truck available. They wouldn't be able to give me 2 smaller trucks either. I was told to call customer service.

When I asked why they had overbooked they said they had over 10 trucks overbooked and it wasn't their fault. The woman was rude and obviously wanted to get me off the phone. I called customer service and received a call back from the district manager. They didn't have any trucks available in 200 miles for me! Their suggestion? Call Hertz or U-Haul. I asked what I was supposed to do about the fact that they had potentially just cost me over $1000 in cancellation fees. He said "nothing... absolutely nothing." I will never recommend Budget to anyone or even glance in their direction again. Please also note: right after they cancelled my reservation, they contacted me with an email asking me to re-book. They said they noticed I cancelled my reservation and asked if I needed help rescheduling. I am beyond words.

I had to move my child's apartment stuff home from college so I reserved (and was confirmed) a 12' truck one way from Houston to Austin TX. I got a ride (from Austin) to my pickup location, however 30 minutes before I arrived, I was notified that my truck was not available. They told me to contact customer service, which I did and was told they would call me within 2 hours. They did call 30 minutes later to tell me the closest truck I could get would be an additional 2 hour drive to get to.

I asked the customer service rep what the point in reserving a truck if I couldn't have one and he told me it was to lock in the price. The price to rent nothing? He told me I should have read the small print which says a truck may not be available. Well I agree. I should have read the fine print to realize I should have never reserved a truck with them which ultimately left me stranded in Houston. Fortunately, Uhaul saved my moving day by finding me a truck. The down side was $100 more than if I would have reserved one through Uhaul originally. It was a pricey lesson for me, but will only rent through Uhaul or Enterprise in the future.

We placed an online reservation for a 24' truck and car carrier. The night before we were to pick up the truck we received a phone call that they did not have the truck and didn't know when they would have one available. We were under a time constraint - we had volunteers packing my mother's apartment. We needed to be out of the apartment by 5 pm. Having an unknown of when a truck would be available was not acceptable. We will never rent from Budget again!

Rented a truck to move from Denver, CO to NJ. Check engine light came on 1 hour outside of Denver. We were given a method of "clearing" it. The truck was going across the country and we were unable to maintain a speed of 45 MPH. There was no license plate on the truck and the toll pass didn't work. What a nightmare of travel. Instead of taking 2 days, it took 4 to get across the country. There was no customer service other than "if you want you can unload the truck and we'll give you another one at no charge" somewhere in the middle of the country. Why would I unload the whole truck with no way of getting any guarantee the new one would be any better? How do they put a truck on the road that has no license plate and no power to the transmission? Customer service was terrible, truck was a ridiculous joke. Never again Budget - never.

NEVER AGAIN!!! I should have learned from a prior experience that no great rate is worth the hassle/aggravation/poor customer service Budget Truck Rentals never fails to deliver. I reserved a 12 ft. truck and was notified four hours before I was due to pick it up that the truck that I reserved (had confirmation for) was not available at the location as promised. No offer as to the next nearest location where the truck I needed was available.

I was told to contact 1-800-GOBUDGET and spent the next hour and a half on the phone with one rep or another. Found the truck 9 miles away, ok, no big deal, but when I arrived at the scheduled pickup time I was told they just rented out the last 12 ft. truck they had, but I could have a 16 ft. truck for the same price. Sounds like a deal, but I did not want to travel the distance I needed to travel with this larger truck and the apartment complex I was moving from was not easy to navigate with this larger truck. I was told that I could go to yet a third location that had the 12 ft. truck I needed, but by this point I would be a fool to believe that they would have it once I arrived. I then left the office area to call customer service to complain and see if I could get a discount for my (further) inconvenience.

Long story short and a half hour later I was "promised" that I could call once the truck was returned and get a refund ($35.35) for half the base rate. I asked what assurance I had that they would honor that after the fact and the rep freely gave me his name (even spelled it for me) and his id number. What else could I do but trust him. Lo and behold I call today for my "promised" refund and after speaking with a rep and their supervisor I was told that the rate had already been discounted and that there was no documentation for the refund I was promised. When asked about the rep and id I was given I was told that she did not know this person. She also pointed out that they do not guarantee availability or location. What the heck is the purpose of a confirmation then? What a way to run a business. I would not recommend to my worst enemy. Stay as far away from Budget Truck Rentals as you can.

What should have been an easy pickup of a rental truck reserved a week in advance turned into an adventure in poor customer service at the rental dealer through the customer service agents on the phone. Quote of the day 1, at the dealer "Reservations don't matter here - it's first come first serve." Customer service apparently refers the matter to an inventory control person who may call you back in two hours, or by the next business day. Quote du jour 2: "Don't worry, we're a national chain, we have tons of trucks."

SO, next business day comes, re-reserve a truck and re-book labor at $150 loss only to find out again, the reservation was NOT completed by the customer service. Makes no entries in the reservation online file to track the order process. Naturally the follow-up with management meets a dead end because of a lack of a documentation trail. I expect this kind of fly by night service from moving ads posted on telephone poles, not a national chain. Bottom line - NEVER AGAIN with Budget for a rental truck.

Basic problem is that they have great rates but the day before they call you to tell you they don't have a truck leaving you to scramble to find a replacement truck somewhere else at a higher price. Or they ask you to take a smaller truck which is what anyone else would charge. This is false advertising and fraudulent. After they call you go online and they continue to advertise the truck you actually want and reserve it at another location only to have Joe at their Denver western region location call you to tell you the truck is not available and to take a smaller truck. When you complain he hangs up on you.

I have rented numerous times and have not had major problems but last time I had very bad tires. It was raining hard and didn't have time to check the truck carefully. Bottom line they can't be trusted to give you the equipment you reserve when you want it. There is no guarantee and you could incur expenses due to delays in your move. Also they are using bait and switch techniques. Seldom have I seen such blatant and fraudulent behavior from a major company. There should be a class action suit against this fraudulent company. The people who are posting complaints on this site should also complain to their Better Business Bureau, and local and state consumer protection offices as well as the AAA whose membership these fraudsters offer a discount.

Rented via internet 2 weeks prior to pick up date. Got to location, no 12' and no record of my confirmation. I had all my confirmation paperwork. Didn't want to accept a 16'. Too big for my purposes to drive across state 400 miles with only a quarter of the vehicle loaded. No furniture just boxes. Representative. Allied another location clear across town and sent me there because they said they had a 12'. Got there and they said they were mistaken - no 12'. Still had to settle for a 16'. Vehicles had no drivers side mirror, it was broken and bottom missing. Said it was okay, it had passed a safety inspection. Should have been a clue.

The truck was horrible but too late to find somewhere else. Drove across the state, not able to speak to my husband because the interior noise was so loud, we could not hear each other. Wind coming into cab from somewhere. Drive horribly. Shook the entire trip. Got home dropped items in driveway and left to return a day early. Went to location they set for drop off - didn't exist. Tried to google by name and went there - they were not in business for Budget anymore. Called the phone number listed on contract - disconnected. Called 1800 number and got disconnected 4x after telling each representative same story. Finally call #5 got thru to customer service. 2 people later got a supervisor LUIS ** who told me to drive another 20 something miles to a new drop off. And then asked me to call back and they would reimburse me for problems.

Got to new location some 49 minutes later. Nice woman said this happens all day long. 3 calls later I finally get customer service. New supervisor Marcos listened to my story again and said he could offer $34??? Monday's pickup disaster and now Wednesday's drop off problems and that amounts to 10%??? Wow. Tried to explain again and reiterate horrible experience and he gave me another $6. Wow. $40 for all my time and my husband and all the mess. Never. Never. Never again will I consider Budget. And I will tell everyone I know this story and encourage them not to use Budget. Absolutely poor customer service resolution.

Long story short: Rented a truck in Bakersfield for a one-way move Fri 8 am to Sun 8 am with drop-off location in Hollywood. The pick-up place was on time and super friendly - yet the car was super dirty, had a cracked windshield and marks all over. (I mean it is called Budget Truck for a reason...) I had no issues with the truck or move itself. Issues started as I was trying to return the truck on designated location and time.

Pulling up to the drop-off location was a disaster from the first minute. No parking for trucks, just a small lot for compact cars (yes, I put my warning signals on and parked in the middle of the lot. What else to do?!). Right away I realized the location was closed ALL Sunday and I called customer service right away - I got told to go to another location with *after hours drop-off*, 40 minutes north of designated location. Hell no. I did that to refill the gas and to pay for other location and after hours fees...

I found a street parking after circling around the blocks for half an hour. I left the truck and went back Monday morning as business opened. They told me right away they have no power not to charge me for a late return of the vehicle and that I had to call customer service again. I even had to wait for the owner of the location since I wasn't accepting that extra fee due to their failure to fulfill contract. After many calls to Budget Truck Rentals customer service they will now reimburse me for the extra charge and I will never rent a truck by them again... End of story.

Made a reservation for a 16-foot truck 2 months in advance. Even received an email from Budget reminding us of our reservation a few days ahead of time. Requested the truck at 8am. Got there and were told a driver was bringing our truck at 9:30am (it was at a location that was at least 45 minutes away). At 9:30am we were informed that the driver had not even left yet. Meanwhile, 2 other parties arrived and asked about their trucks, which were likewise unavailable. Budget offered to drive all of us out to get our trucks, but then we all realized the paperwork said they were giving us 26 ft trucks instead of the requested 16 ft trucks. And they weren't even going to mention it!

When questioned, they admitted that they had NO 16 ft trucks in all of LA, even though we all had reservations. We absolutely cannot maneuver such a large truck on our narrow streets or our driveway. So after 2 hours of waiting at the Budget office, we had to cancel the whole deal and delay our move and vacation until we can get a truck from someone else. Thanks, Budget! We will NEVER use you again.

Another dismal story of Budget Truck Rental... Reserved truck via website over a month ago. 24 hours out I call to confirm. "No lady, no truck till 1 PM." WHAT!!! I reserved for 7 AM. Guy says, "Out of my control -- no truck." Call Budget "Customer Service." Get individual who barely speaks English who says they'll find a nearby alternative. Guess what, nearest alternative is 40 miles away. FORGET it. U-Haul took care of my rental and commented all their best customers reserved at Budget.

Like everyone else, I reserved a truck - two months ahead of time, called the day before to confirm, went to the office in Las Vegas to pick it up when they told me 'sorry, I don't have anything available.' And then, the guy tells me to call customer service. Wasn't I TALKING to customer service? At the front desk of the Budget office? I spoke to the manager who told me to come back tomorrow and try again. She said she would call me when she had a truck available for me. That was 5 days ago and she hasn't called yet. This was for a planned move which got turned upside-down. I'd provide more detail but honestly, the only thing I can say is DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET TRUCK RENTAL.

Budget Truck Rental Company Profile