Find a Movers partner

2.8/5 (1956 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

About Budget Truck Rental

Budget Truck Rental offers individual and commercial moving services. The company provides rental trucks, packing supplies and moving services. It offers some discounts and is widely available. Renters can choose between a range of cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12-foot to 26-foot trucks.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top Budget Truck Rental Reviews

Verified

I rented a 16' truck from Budget a few weeks ago and received great customer service from all of the employees that I met. I picked up the truck the evening before my move, Linda ...

Verified

Rented a 16 ft truck to move my mother from Indiana to Georgia. Other than the line at the pickup being long, everything else was just as good as expected. Truck was clean and ran...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Budget Truck Rental?

Budget Truck Rental is a moving truck company that caters to individual and commercial clients. It operates nationwide with more than 1,600 company-owned and dealer locations. You can choose between cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12- to 16-foot trucks, depending on how much you need to transport. All the trucks in its fleet have automatic transmissions, power steering and power brakes, making them easy to operate. Many also come with walk ramps or liftgates.

You can also rent towing equipment, hand trucks and furniture pads from Budget and get packing, loading and unloading assistance from its partner company HireAHelper. Budget also offers protection plans for its rental trucks, which include supplemental liability insurance and roadside assistance. It provides discounted fees for AARP members, military veterans, students, members of the Bar Association, EMTs, firefighters and police officers.

Budget Truck Rental services

Budget Truck Rental has thousands of locations around the country. You can make a reservation online, on the phone or in person. To get a quote and finalize your reservation, you’ll need to determine when you need the truck, where you’ll pick it up and drop it off and what size vehicle you need. Budget offers traditional trucks measuring 12, 16, 24 and 26 feet long. For smaller moves, you can rent a cargo van or pick-up truck.

Budget also rents out its trucks for light commercial use, offers towing equipment like car carriers and tow dollies, sells packing supplies and rents out hand trucks and furniture pads. You can also opt to get packing, loading and unloading assistance from HireAHelper.

Budget Truck Rental prices

Budget Truck Rental’s rates vary depending on the type of move. Its prices include a flat daily charge for the truck rental, per-mile fees, gas, taxes and fees. It also requires a $150 refundable deposit. The per-mile fee can range from $0.60 to $1.00, and the daily truck cost can vary from $19.99 to $49.99 or more.

You can also add liability coverage, but this will increase the price. Budget also charges no-show fees and late-return fees. Your cost will depend on where you’re moving from and to, when you need the truck, truck size and any extra services you desire. Its weekday rental prices are generally cheaper than weekend rates.

Budget Truck Rental FAQ

Are Budget trucks reliable?
    Yes, Budget’s trucks are reliable. All its locations perform 10-point inspections on the equipment before each rental. The company maintains its equipment regularly, purchases new trucks annually and retires older vehicles. If something does go wrong, the company offers 24/7 roadside assistance.
    Does Budget Truck Rental take debit cards?
    Yes, Budget accepts payment by debit card. You can pay with debit at the time of the reservation and when you return the truck. If you use a debit card, the deposit amount will appear in your account as a hold.
    What do I need to rent a truck from Budget?
    To rent a Budget truck, you need a valid driver’s license and a credit or debit card. On the day of your reservation, you must present your license and a second valid form of ID. This can be a credit/debit card, valid passport, Social Security card, U.S. military ID card, employer-issued photo ID, a current utility bill or a pay stub.
    Where is Budget Truck Rental available?
    Budget Truck Rental has over 1,600 locations in the U.S. You can use its location finder to find the closest rental facility.

Is Budget Truck Rental good?

Budget Truck Rental offers rental trucks, moving services and packing supplies for individuals and commercial customers. For those taking on a DIY move, this is an ideal service. The company has thousands of locations around the country, and it’s generally affordable for local moves. However, its fees can add up quickly, especially if you’re planning a long-distance or multiday move, and insurance coverage and roadside assistance come at an extra cost.

Budget Truck Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: May 5, 2021

We picked up the truck with a car hauler for a move from MN to CA. We left the pickup area and got on the hwy. I pulled behind my brother who was driving and noticed one of the 4 trailer tires was flat. We pulled over and were able to continue because it was a double axel trailer and there was no weight on it yet. We continued home and tried to call Budget but were just passed around to different numbers and finally gave up and took the tire in to get fixed ourselves. When we went to load his car on the trailer one of the tire straps was knotted up. We spent over an hour trying to unknot it.

We ended up taking the strap mounting off the trailer by unbolting it to get the strap unknotted so we could use it. We opened the back of the truck and there were a few items left inside from the last person that used it. We loaded the truck and started off. It started to rain. Water dripped in the entire length of the cab where the back of the cab meets the rear enclosure. Both of us were wet, not a little spray but a lot of water. I suggest a different company. Thanks.

Original review: May 3, 2021

I rented a truck and trailer on Friday 4/30/21 from Iowa. Got to Indy and the trailer rear tire broke off at 65 miles a hour on the freeway and went sideways which almost caused the trailer with my vehicle to flip and flipping the truck and almost killing me. Was left on the freeway for 3 hours almost getting hit several times. The police came and sat with me but had to leave for emergencies. The mechanic arrived 3 hours later and said that the trailer should have never been on the road and it was complete neglect from Budget Truck Rental. There was significant damage to the trailer tire wheel that broke off that was caused over a long period of time. All the tires on the trailer were missing lugnuts. The tire that broke off and the tires next to it had the lugnuts installed backwards which also caused them to be loose.

Once he removed all the tires he saw there were no breaks on the trailer at all. The tire that broke off brakes were destroyed and the other tires had no brake pads and were metal to metal and even the mechanisms for the brakes were not working. The mechanic said this was complete negligence on the part of Budget Truck Rental.

The mechanic was able to get the tire off and have me get the truck off the next exit 4 miles down the road. I had to pay $200 a night for a hotel because it was near a racetrack that was having a event and oh my had one room left. Been at the hotel now 3 days and I have called Budget Truck Rental several times and they give me no help at all and have lied to me. They said there is no trailer available at the moment to send me to replace the trailer I have which is a lie. I am 15 miles from Indianapolis and can go online and rent the same trailer right now.

Budget Truck rental has endangered my life by giving me a trailer that should have never been on the road and they still are endangering my life by leaving me stranded in a town and now have ran out of money for basic necessities such as food and shelter. Budget Truck Rental does not care about their customers at all! Been 3 days now that no help from Budget Truck Rental!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I tried to contact customer service to transfer my pick up location because the original dealer didn't have the equipment I need. They were hard to get ahold of, and they didn't return my phone calls.

Original review: March 25, 2021

We rented a truck to move from Orlando to Maine in middle of March. Reserved the truck in February online to pick up in Old Town Kissimmee (one of their options) close to where we were visiting. Got the confirmation and everything. A few days before our pickup an email was sent to us (which we didn't see because we were traveling) that the location had been moved to Davenport even further away. Various times trying to call customer service. I finally spoke to a foreign person and they told me that an inventory manager was going to call me in 15 minutes. Never got a call.

We drive to Davenport to an office the size of a closet inside a seedy motel to get our truck. The truck was cheap but the insurance was just as much which is fine. The driver's seat was falling apart with metal sticking out of it. We had no other choice of trucks. We drove 21 hours with a metal rod sticking in our backs. Delivering truck today in Maine and no one is answering the phone. Location is Websters Trading Co in Auburn, ME. Can't wait to see what this place looks like and if even anyone is there. Terrible experience with Budget specifically the customer service, their business locations and quality of trucks.

Original review: March 16, 2021

Rented a 12’ truck in San Antonio to drive to Trinidad, CO. The truck had major front end issues causing the truck to fishtail for 14 hours. Add wind and I was using both lanes. In addition, the AC didn’t work. The truck is extremely dangerous and a lessor skilled driver will get killed in that thing. 10 miles into the trip I called about the truck. He said we can bring another truck but you’ll have to unload and reload....on the side of the road. That was clearly not an option. When I reached out to corporate after the trip for some discount, I was offered $10! This was the worst rental I have ever been part of and the customer service is NON EXISTENT. Go to another rental place for sure.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

When you go to book your rental reservation, they sure make it look inexpensive. Then you go in to pick up your truck and all the hidden fees are told. We went to drop off the truck about 10 minutes before the 2:00 deadline, and they were already closed. The sign said to put the keys in the envelope and leave in box. There were no envelopes so we left the truck and I came back in the morning.

When I got there, they asked if I had filled up the truck, they didn't say that at the time of rental so I said I had not. They said they could fill it up (it was only used about 4 gallons), but that there was an additional $35.00 fee. She told me she would only charge me $10.00. I got my credit card statement, and looks like I was overcharged by about $40.00. When I called the office for an itemized list, she just verbally ran down the list, and it still didn't seem to add up. Also, they charged me $15.00 for the fee for the gas, not $10.00. I said ok, but I will NOT be using this company again, nor will I recommend it.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

I reserved a truck at Budget Truck of Fairborn, OH for 14 Feb 2021 (Confirmation **). When I arrived, the truck was not available and the agent referred me to customer service. Customer service could not answer why there was no truck available, and why no one informed me of the issue before I arrived. When asked about the Terms and Conditions, the customer service agent (Colleen) hung up on me! I returned the call and asked to speak to a supervisor.

The supervisor (Frank) couldn't answer my concerns either, and informed me that it was my fault because I reserved within 24 hours, and that it is "common knowledge" to book trucks more than 2 weeks in advance. He goes on to say that next time I call I should have a better attitude and that would create less problems. I received an email 2 hours later informing me that my reservation was changed to a location much farther away--I had no say in when/where the new pickup would take place. This experience was frustrating to say the least.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Rented a 12 ft truck to move my daughter across country, pick up was a joke. Guy wasn't pleasant and had zero customer service skills. 1st truck he tried to give me was super old and in bad shape. I went back in and asked for a better truck. He was less than thrilled about having to do that and the 2nd truck turned out just as bad.... Drove fine but that was only positive. It was a few years newer BUT, very dirty inside including trash and a soda bottle. Burn marks all up the window seals, cracked dash display and had to of been at least a year since it got wiped down on the inside.

Got to the last day in the evening we entered MI where there was a snow storm. Wipers were barely functioning! Just smeared the windshield and I couldn't see. Stopped at next exit to clean the mess up and buy windshield solvent. It was bone dry!! Added the solvent and got back on the Eway. And....the solvent sprayers DIDN'T WORK!!!! I had to stop every few exits to clean my windshield at a gas station for over 250 miles! Took a ridiculous amount of time to get home due to this issue. The man at the Shields Blvd location should NOT be in customer service let alone be in charge of his own location, and I will be calling Budget to make a formal complaint.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

Budget Rental Truck was the WORST EVER vehicle rental experience of my life. Was given a 26' truck instead of the 16' I reserved because they couldn't get to the 16' truck. It was DISGUSTINGLY FILTHY, and the low coolant light was on. I added coolant. It broke down in Manhattan after being loaded. I'd purchased the roadside assistance, when a mechanic showed up 2 hours later -- then two hours later, said I was good to go. While parked overnight the truck horn went off at 3 am and won't stop until I pounded on the steering wheel. It did the same thing at 4:30 am. More poundings.

The truck broke down AGAIN, the next day. Again, roadside assistance showed up 6 hours later with another Truck the next day. Moved all the stuff into the replacement truck. The replacement truck had only one functional taillight. I called Budget for consideration after this debacle and they took $32 off my bill. Are they kidding!! The experience was dangerous and beyond terrible, I will never rent from Budget again and will tell anyone that will listen to stay away,

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I made a 10am reservation (**) Monday night (01-25-2021) for a cargo van. I went to the location at 9:45am Tuesday and was told they do not have Vans at that location. I called 800-455-1332 and spoke with a Robert who said he was documenting my complaint and assured me it would be escalated to the manager who would find me a truck within 2 hours and call me back. I never received that call and the opportunity which I needed the van passed. Then I find my card is charged $75 for a $57 rental. If you need a truck rented for something important do not reserve with Budget Truck Rental. I am very, very, very disappointed with this transaction and how it was handled. I will never try to rent a truck from Budget Truck Rental ever again.

Quick and easy

Get matched with a Moving partner

Budget Truck Rental Company Information