1.01/5
Based on 74 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

Last updated: May 22, 2018

566 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2018

I reserved a moving truck and had problems with the website allowing me to select a car dolly to tow my vehicle. I called customer support and was informed that my vehicle was too heavy and could not be towed by their truck. At that point I requested the reservation be canceled, and the customer service representative verbally confirmed the reservation was canceled. Fast forward a month and I found a $50 "no show fee" charged to my credit card. Budget bounced me around customer service agents several times before reversing the fee - a complete waste of my time.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I rented a truck to move my daughter into college and during the drive I run over an object that caused the tire to go flat. This could have been fixed with a repair, but after waiting for more than a couple hours and a number of calls to the roadside assistance team about 11:30 at night the service truck showed up. They took the tire off and did not repair but installed a new tire which was quick. Nine months later I get a bill for this at $556.81 for damage to the vehicle and a new rim. I have a picture I took with my phone which clearly shows that the object was in an area that could clearly be repaired with no damage to the truck at all.

I stated I would clearly pay for the repair but not the replacement of the tire and the a reasonable service call, but not 2 hours of after hours service when the expected time to be at my site was 8:39 and they showed up after 11 pm. This is an extortion act between the rental truck "Budget" and the service that they used "Pomp's Tire Service". I am not and would not recommend "Budget Truck Rental" to anyone now or in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2018

We were moving cross country and needed a moving truck for our small 2 bedroom, 4 room house that was 840 sq. ft. We researched Budget's website, which advertised a 16' truck that is recommended for a small house with up to 250 boxes, 10-12 pieces of furniture and less than 1200 sq. ft. home. We met all of that criteria - I had approx. 75 boxes, 10-12 pieces of furniture and a house that was smaller than the 1200 sq. ft. Moving day, I had hired a crew to load the truck. I go pick up the 16' truck and bring it home. The movers take one look at the truck and tell me that it won't work. I insist that Budget advertises that it will fit the space.

They start to load and within an hour it becomes clear that this truck is definitely too small. I call Budget and they don't have a larger truck (the next size up is a 26' truck). They keep insisting the 16' truck will work. I had paid my crew $250 at this point. I called Penske and they immediately got me into a 26' truck within 15 minutes (I could have used a 22' or 20' truck, but I couldn't be picky at that point). I returned the Budget truck and they issued a full refund, but this gaffe cost me a lot of money. The truck had to be unloaded and then re-loaded into the Penske truck. Budget is NOT designed for long distance travel and falsely advertises to compensate for their missing middle sized truck (they only carry 12', 16' and 26' trucks). Never ever again.

Original review: May 13, 2018

We rented a Large Budget Truck at an excessive cost (nearly $3000 after the add-ons). As dusk approached on day one we stopped at a rest area to stretch our legs and make plans for stopping for the night. That is when I noticed the truck had NO marker lights or headlights. This resulted in us ending that day's trip early because of darkness, putting us behind schedule. I understand that these things happen. I called Budget and was passed from one department to another, including someone in IT(??). I finally, was connected to someone in roadside assistance. They said that since we were "off the road an safe" at a motel there was no need to send someone out to fix the lights that night. Another delay to our trip, but for how long?

They told me I had to drive the truck to a service garage for the repair the next day, again delaying our trip and putting us further behind schedule. We researched the location and found out it was someone's home and not a garage. I called Budget R/A and they insisted that is where we had to go. We drove to the address we were given and yes it was in a residential neighborhood... NO GARAGE. My phone rang and it was the service tech who drove to our motel. He gave us instructions as to where to meet at some parking lot of an abandoned mall.

We met the tech at the mall parking lot and he spent the next 2 1/2 hours trying to get the truck lights working. He found several bare wires that had been rubbing or melted wires causing shorts and blown fuses. He was able to get the marker lights working and ONE headlight. I talked to the service tech and he got the call from Budget at around 8 PM the night before, but was told to NOT service the truck until the next morning. He said he was willing to come out the night before to work on the truck, but Budget didn't want to pay the additional cost of a nighttime service call. If we had been stranded on the side of the road they would have sent someone out. So much for being responsible.

After making our contact with Roadside Assistance we started receiving robo-calls from Budget inquiring about the truck and if it had been repaired. We received automated calls at 11:05 PM, 12:52 AM, 2:36 AM, 4:17 AM, 6:05 AM and at 7:37 AM. Our appointment was scheduled for 8 AM the next morning. Again we had to wait until light so we could drive.

I called Budget about an extension to our lease, if necessary, to get to our destination and unload the truck, but they said "NO" because they couldn't verify that there was a problem with the truck. I have to say my experience with Budget's Roadside Assistance was not deserving of 1 star. There were other issues like no washer fluid, and the back and forth passing the buck between the pick up point and drop off location as to which party was responsible for any additional issues. If or when I have another move I will remember my experience with Budget Truck Rentals.

Original review: May 9, 2018

My husband contacted Budget 7 days in advance to rent a 26 ft truck to move. When we called the night before we were told that they did not have one available and the closest truck was in the Bronx. We live on Long Island. We were now stuck without a truck. No one from Budget ever contacted us so if we would not have confirmed the rental we would have been in a lot of trouble. Don't rent from this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: May 8, 2018 I rented a truck and car trailer. The truck was not cleaned out. Food under seat, couldn't see out the windshield from nicotine on the inside. The rear door had to be propped open with a hand cart so we could load it. Called the company and couldn't get another truck locally for 2 more days. Driving home in a major freeway at 2 am, the wheel bearing broke on the trailer. Waited 2 hours in 20 degree weather for roadside assistance. Said we had to wait until the following day for a replacement trailer. The driver off-loaded my car and I had to drive it the rest of the trip. Budget had no apologies and refused any compensation for our troubles.

Budget cost far less than the other companies because you get what you pay for. Awful company!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I made a truck rental reservation with Budget for a different facility than the one I'm reviewing for pick up on Sunday, May 6th. Called on Saturday, May 5th to confirm and they said the pickup facility will be closed on Sunday. Nice how a company takes a reservation for a facility that will be closed on the pickup date and doesn't inform their customers. Anyway, was transferred to a "rental adviser" named Luis who said the reservation would be transferred to 1830 S Wabash location for pick up on Sunday, May 6th. I show up at that location the next day and they have no record of the reservation, nor were willing to help in a way, shape or form. The staff was incompetent, asking for a confirmation number 10 different times, despite me handing them the copy of it with it circled.

Communication skills were poor at best. They told me to call Budget to resolve the issue. You guys are Budget Rental! Do something to resolve. After 45 minutes of getting nowhere, we made another reservation with U-Haul. They were fantastic by the way. Budget has horrible customer service, not just this location, but the whole customer service center. It's unbelievable that they also don't know inventory levels at other locations. THEY HAVE NO CENTRALIZED SYSTEMS TO SUPPORT THAT INFO. What century are you guys in? You have to wait for a call back from an "Inventory Adviser" to get that info which takes anywhere from 15 min. to 2 hours for the callback, seriously? Don't waste your time with this company.

Original review: May 2, 2018

One star is generous since zero stars is not an option. We rented a moving truck in Louisville, KY, and dropped it off in Evanston, IL. When we picked up the truck, the woman let us know the gas gauge was just left of full, but that it should 'probably' be full. It's my fault we didn't look how far left the gauge was. This is pertinent. When we went to drop off the truck, the location had already closed and had after hours parking instructions with a key drop off. Before parking we drove approximately two blocks down the same street to a Shell gas station and filled the tank.

When we started the vehicle it looked like it was slightly above 3/4 tank, so we tried to fill it again. And then one more time for good measure. All three times it would take no more gas. We figured, at this point, that the gas gauge was wonky and we wouldn't have to worry since the tank wouldn't accept any more gas. Lo and behold, we were charged $45 for a gas and gas fee yesterday relating to the rental. When we called customer service, they informed us it was a valid charge because the location had to put gas in the truck. We explained what happened, and they said the best they could do would be to refund the $30 fee.

Knowing we did nothing wrong, we requested the situation be escalated. That escalation ended up with a denial too. Thereafter, we stopped into the Evanston location and the man had absolutely ZERO empathy for our situation. He even admitted the gas pumps at that station were probably "bad" (not sure what that means, but ok) but that he had to put a little bit of gas in it, "had" to charge the fee, and he wouldn't do anything for us. He even went so far as to literally say, "you did nothing wrong, but I'm still going to charge you." He said this more than once.

It wasn't even the fact that the situation went sideways. We own up to the fact that we could have come in the following day when they were open since the gas gauge looked weird. But to smugly say something like that, without an ounce of regard to customer service or basic human decency, struck a nerve. And now customer service won't refund the fee they previously offered since they escalated it. And the tier 2 people they escalated it to said it's out of their hands and they "consider the matter closed." Avoid doing business with this soulless corporate machine at all costs - they won't hesitate to rape you for every penny they can get (with a smug smile, no less).

Original review: April 27, 2018

There should be a zero star rating. Aside from being understaffed with inappropriately long wait times to pick up a truck, the Budget employee used the incorrect truck number and overcharged me $1013.19. After being given the runaround by the customer service number, I went directly to the location where they "fixed" it, and was told funds would be returned to my account by the end of business day. Come the following day, the funds had not been returned, and my bank told me nothing was pending. I again called the customer service line several times to be told by very terse and unpleasant staff that it would be 7 business days to return the funds and that no one could do anything otherwise short of an email.

Meanwhile I have an overdrawn account accruing fees and late bills accruing fees and zero resolution from Budget for their mistake. Not only was it inconvenient, but it's placing my financial life in jeopardy. I also do not appreciate being treated so negatively when I address customer service staff patiently and professionally, even while attempting to rectify Budget's own very grievous mistake. I will not rent from Budget and especially this location ever again.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I did the reservation but they called next day and said the truck is not available and your only option is to pick truck about an hour far from my location. Representative was rude and when I told him I need to speak with supervisor he hanged up on me!

Original review: April 23, 2018

DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET!! I am writing today to express my disappointment with Budget Truck and Trailer Rental. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! I went to pick up the trailer and truck and I must say the gentleman working the counter was not the most friendly and gave the impression he did not like his job. No enthusiasm and just looked unhappy. After checking in, he directed us to his associate, who, we soon found, could not speak English very well. I was concerned that he was our contact for the orientation of the truck and trailer. We could barely understand him and he had to repeat himself several times. In the course of the orientation, he noticed the right rear tire on the trailer was low. This should've been my first clue. But I trusted Budget to place me in a safe vehicle. This was my first mistake. He filled the tire with air and after a confusing orientation, set us on our way.

Friday morning, with the truck loaded, we noticed the same tire was low, so we stopped to put more air in it. My second clue. Once we were driving on I-75 N. luckily we noticed the tire was low. I called roadside service. By the way, your phone tree is quite challenging. They directed us to a Goodyear in Tampa. These folks replaced the tire that was low along with the rim. They mentioned it was the rim that was the problem. Anyway, now on our way once again on I-75 N. for about 40 miles, I noticed a young boy sticking his head out the window pointing to our trailer. Now the left rear tire completely blew on the trailer. We pulled off to the right side of the road and called Budget Roadside service again. We waited on the side of I-75 for 2 hours - this is unacceptable!! Budget kept us trapped in an unsafe area, on the side of one of the busiest highways in the country for 2 hours, after renting us an unsafe vehicle/trailer!

Once service arrived, he only had 1 tire, so he replaced the bad one. As he was fixing this tire, he noticed a huge nail in yet a different tire! He followed us to the next exit where he called Budget and said he could take care of this tire but it would be at least 2 more hours. At this point, we had been on the road since 8 am and almost 8 hours later we are only 2.5 hours out of town - because Budget rented us an unsafe trailer!! Instead of waiting another 2 hours, I paid a local tire company to replace this one so we could get on the road. This customer service is completely unacceptable! DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET!!! You will be frustrated and angry!

Original review: April 19, 2018

1- They care about dollars NOT your safety! 2- We could not submit reimbursement for cost UNTIL contract was "complete" (i.e. your credit card was charged). 3- Customer service is designed to "insulate" derision makers from YOU. 4- DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY- THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. I have been on hold for 1 hour and 45 minutes AFTER I was told I was being transferred to a supervisor. We rented a 26' Budget truck to move from Illinois to Minnesota, about halfway through the 6 hour trip - just north of Madison WI, a warning light came on, I began to navigate to the shoulder when the truck began to lose power (I was traveling at 65 MPH in moderate to heavy traffic on Interstate 90) - I was able to get to the side of the road as I lost power. I called roadside assistance and after being on hold for a little while Budget told me that a mechanic would be there in an hour. An hour and a half later the mechanic arrived.

He was not able to fix the truck, and left. I again called roadside assistance and after another hold was told that they could not send a tow truck until the mechanic "dis-positioned" the call. It was an additional 2 1/2 hours (and multiple phone calls) in 35 degree weather before a tow truck showed up. I was on the side of a busy interstate in 35 degree weather, with all of our possessions, unable to start the truck to keep warm. When Budget EVENTUALLY towed the truck (and myself) to a safe place, they did not have a solution for us. We needed to get a hotel room for the night, and pay for it ourselves. (We are fortunate we could pay for it - those who couldn't would have had to sleep in the truck in 30 degree weather).

After multiple calls to customer service AND roadside assistance we were told that we would have to wait until 6am when the "inventory" office opened - this was a LIE- "inventory" as we found out didn't open until 9am. Sometime AFTER 10:30am they told us that a truck was being towed from Naperville, IL (where we came from!) - it would take 3 1/2 hours to get the truck there. They were going to hire people to move ALL of our things from 1 26" truck to another so we could continue our trip. I had to explain to them that towing the broke down truck to our destination would be cost effective for THEM and time saving for us - Again I helped save them money- it cost me 24 hours and time missed at work - and they charged my CC for the full price. ALL phone calls were initiated by us NOT them. They offered reimbursement for hotel and food and $100 off the bill. for loss of 24 hours and loss of work.

Original review: April 15, 2018

If I could give a negative amount of stars to any company it would be Budget. We were moving from Colorado to Texas and made it 4 hours from our destination and lost power, steering, and brakes. I managed to pull off the road luckily without harm to ourselves or anyone else on the road. We immediately called roadside assistance which we did actually pay for and were on a waiting list for an hour before anyone answered the phone.

4 hours later a mechanic finally shows up and was unable to fix the issue. We now have called Budget numerous times without any response to possibly getting another truck or fixing our issues for hours. WE BEGGED THEM TO HELP US! We were now forced to go to another truck rental company. We then had to wait another 4 hours for a tow truck so a total of 8 hours... UNBELIEVABLE... Mind you we are responsible for the truck until it is out of our possession but all they were concerned about was if our stuff was out of it...

Budget says they take pride in offering well maintained reliable vehicles and says they strive to go the extra mile to give customers a positive service. I was offered none of the above. Fast forward to trying to contact customer service for a refund of some sort and all they want to give me is 20 percent of the truck rental *only the truck* (not including what we paid for insurance and road side assistance) which doesn't even cover the cost of forcing me to go to another truck rental company. Nor does it cover the cost of the suffering we went through. DO NOT USE BUDGET. You will be extremely disappointed.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I've been renting from Budget for the past 8 years. 5 of them here in my hometown. For the past 6 months I've been complaining about the cleanliness of the truck but driving a pigsty and driving an UNSAFE ** that's a different story. I've attached the pictures of the tires bald with a gouge tread showing and the tires below DOT and MTO in Ontario specs less than 2/32 on the tread. I'm a truck driver and in my book this is a major defect. I've complaint ump times to them about the cleanliness of the truck just to receive a joke of $56.50 refund. I give them $6,000 per year in vehicle rental.

Now I'll have to train my hubby to do a proper pre-trip (safety wise) and refuse the truck and we'll go somewhere else for a truck. People check the safety of your truck for major defects ask a truck driver to know what to check, I don't give a shit about the oil or coolant let it seize up or overheat they WILL have to take it off the road. That's the only way we will get rid of these unsafe junk. If tires are bald before you bring it back to make sure they won't rent it to another poor soul, run over a nail they will scrap the tire for sure. Enough already of this **. Oh and I've sent the pictures to the MTO here and my next step they are going to the USDOT.

Original review: April 6, 2018

When I showed to pick up my truck, car trailer, and other equipment, nothing was there but the truck. Budget had made no effort to locate the other equipment. The truck was full of trash and low on oil. The attendant was surly. Use U-haul instead.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I reserved a 26-foot moving truck with Budget online and received a confirmation over a month ago. My husband and I are relocating from Maryland to Illinois to live near family. We have a 2-year-old and a 10 month old. We have had all the (many!) detailed logistics in place for months, and were scheduled to pick up the truck and load it tomorrow, March 29. We got a phone call from Budget TODAY, March 28, the day before our reservation, and someone informed us that they do not have a truck available for us to use tomorrow. We have planned for months to load the truck tomorrow and drive out.

Budget offered us no solution, and hung up on us during the phone call. Perhaps our frustrated speech was an inconvenience to the less than helpful representative. Someone eventually called back 2 hours later, to offer us a truck that was 2 hours away from our house - we would have to go pick it up ourselves. We were again hung up on when we said it is not possible for us to drop everything and drive with our toddler and infant 2 hours away. We were able to reserve a truck with another, more professional and reliable company, but at a premium cost due to the last minute nature of the reservation. No one from Budget has apologized or offered any type of viable solution for this breastfeeding mother. Save your frustration and dont waste your money on a company that doesnt care about people.

Original review: March 9, 2018

My wife and I have been renting from Budget Truck Rental yearly since 2010 due to the type of job she has and never had no problem with Budget until now. Today is March 9, 2018 and we have been sitting on the side of the highway since 12:00 am this morning. It's now 8:07 am and still sitting on the side of the interstate. Here's the story. 2 tires blew out on the trailer, when Goodyear tire finally arrives 4 hours later to fixed the tires which took 2 in a half hours the Goodyear maintenance person realize the trailer brakes is messed up and the trailer isn't functional. The Goodyear maintenance person had to call Budget Truck Rental to inform them the trailer isn't working properly and never should have been given to us and this is why the tires had blown out.

Now, we still waiting on the side of the highway and Goodyear technicians are gone. The Budget technician states we need a new trailer and it will take another 2-3 hours. I decide to call Budget CSR to inform him about the incident and to see if we can keep the truck for another down due to the setback, my wife and I had to call out from work today because we won't make it to the destination we headed to on time. The CSR stated' "There is nothing we can do about it." Really, it's because of you (Budget) we had a setback. Your company should have never given us a bad trailer and should have inspected it. Now, we're out of the Budget Truck Rental fee, gas for the truck and my car, the trailer fee, lost wages and time, you can't accompany us an extra day. Never again will we rent from Budget. When we finally get this trailer we're done with Budget.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I set up a moving truck rental 17 days before my moving date with Lakeland Rentals in South Portland, Maine. The day after I set up the rental my credit card information was stolen and was attempted to be used for purchases. Then, three days before I was to pick up the moving truck, I received a call from Lakeland Rentals saying they would not have any trucks available on my pickup date and that I could be put on a waiting list. They called me right before closing time so I would not be able to call them back until the morning. I then called Budget truck customer service and was told that they didn't know why I was being told there wasn't a truck available because they showed four trucks available of the same size available at my rental location.

Three of the trucks were currently reserved (including my reservation) indicating that there were plenty of trucks available to fulfill my reservation. The manager who called me back was courteous, but could offer me no more help other than waiting to call Lakeland Rentals in the morning, or cancelling my reservation to try to find me another truck at a different location with the possibility that a truck wasn't available. Needless to say I cancelled my reservation with Budget and found a different rental company for my move. I would NOT recommend a Budget truck rental to anyone.

Original review: March 7, 2018

On 3/2/2018 we picked up a rental truck and vehicle tow hauler in Denver, with our final destination being Phoenix Arizona. On the second day of our trip, approximately 90 miles North of Phoenix Arizona at 10:00 AM we heard a loud bang come from underneath the hood of the truck. The truck was making horrible noises and slowed down considerably. We pulled off to the shoulder of the highway and began to notice a strong odor of exhaust coming into the cab of the truck. We contacted roadside assistance to report the breakdown. Roadside assistance told us that the wait would be 2 hours. We asked if the mechanic was coming from Payson, which was 20 miles away or Phoenix which is two hours away. She responded Payson.

The area in which we were broke down was remote, so there was no place that we could use the restroom, get water, etc. The two hours passed with no mechanic. We called roadside assistance again and they put us on hold. When the customer service agent came back on she stated that the mechanic was running late due to a snowstorm. There was no snow in the Phoenix area and has not been for years. The mechanic arrived an hour late and proceeded to look at the vehicle. It took another hour to finally diagnose the issue as a blown engine and it would have to be towed. The mechanic informed roadside assistance that he was unable to complete the repair and that the truck would have to be towed.

The mechanic told us that roadside assistance should be calling us. The mechanic left and 1/2 hour later we received a call from roadside assistance telling us that they would tow the truck to our final destination and would drop it off. We told roadside assistance that they were NOT going to dump a broken down truck at our new apartment as there was no parking that could accommodate it. Our plan was prior to the truck blowing the engine was to arrive in Phoenix to be met by our friends to unload the trailer and return it. We were told that they had to bring it to our final destination. We once again told them that it was not acceptable, as there was no place to park a truck. We were then asked "how were we going to unload it in the first place if there was no parking?"

We explained that with a running truck, we would have been able to move it if other tenants needed to move their vehicles from a parking space. We asked if the vehicle could be towed into a secure budget lot and they could bring in a transfer crew in and transfer our belongings to another truck. The supervisor stated that they could have the truck tow it into Tempe Arizona, but could not promise that a crew could transfer our items to a new truck. The supervisor dispatched a tow truck from Phoenix, which would take 2 hours to arrive. At 6:45 PM a tow truck arrived. We took our vehicle that was on the tow dolly off and drove into Phoenix. We arrived in Phoenix at 8:30 PM

During this whole ordeal there seemed to be absolutely no sense of urgency on the part of roadside assistance. We explained to them that we were in the middle of nowhere with snow on the ground and no heat as when we turned the truck on exhaust would pour into our truck. We had no food, water or access to restrooms. We had our two small dogs with us as well. I am diabetic and my husband has cardiac issues and for us to be stranded on the side of the road from 10:00 AM - 6:45 PM is completely unacceptable. We were even told that we should have stayed on the major highway, because it may have been quicker. The route we took is the route we had to take to reach our destination. During the conversations with roadside assistance, all we heard is, “No, we can't do that.”

I am asking for a full refund of what we paid for the truck and reimbursement for the movers that we had to hire to assist us with moving our belongings into our apartment, as we had made arrangements with friends to move us on Sunday, but they would not be available during the week as they have to work. I have attached a copy of the invoice. When I called customer service, they said that they would refund only $120.00. This will not be acceptable at all.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Our truck's engine blew up 90 miles from our destination. Exhaust poured into our truck. To make a long story short, Budget wants to refund $120.00 of our $700.00 rental. We were stranded on the side of the highway for 10 hours, with no facilities, food or water. DO NOT rent a truck from them as they won't do much in this situation.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Overall, I have been very satisfied with renting Budget trucks. I have rented two this winter, and have another coming up soon. The company in Omaha is very good. However, I just had a horrible experience with my drop-off point in Norwalk CT, Americas Choice Services. They have moved and their new location is not correct on the website. When I finally tracked them down, it was my fault. The young lady working in the office was rude, loud, and had an extreme lack of understanding when it came to customer service. I would recommend using Budget, but I would not recommend using this drop-off point. My next drop-off in Norwalk will be at a different location.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

The reason they are so cheap? Because they don't always have your truck available and they do not tell you in advance. They are unapologetic and even try to keep fees when it is them that did not keep up their end of the bargain. We went at 8AM to pick up our truck and they said "we don't have it". No apology, no nothing. No one cared to do anything to help. We were stuck in our home and closing that day. Horrible! PLEASE NEVER RENT FROM THEM! I know I never will again!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Beware of these scammers! We rented a 12' truck to move our daughter to another city. The truck was very dirty and old, so we didn't think it out of place that it made a lot of noise as soon as we pulled out of the Budget parking lot. Midway through our trip, on the interstate, the re-tread on the rear tire peeled off suddenly. We nearly overturned, but finally managed to get the vehicle safely to the side of the road. After waiting hours in boiling heat for Budget's people to come and change the tire, we got back on the road with our intended arrival time ruined.

Funny thing is that all the noise that the truck made as soon as we started our trip was gone after the tire was replaced. From what I read, that means that the retreaded tire was already faulty before we even got in the truck. Now Budget says that their faulty tire is our fault and is considered damage to their vehicle and so we have to pay the entire bill which is over $500.00. What a scam - making us pay for a top quality tire to replace the cheap faulty one they sent us off with that nearly got us killed. Your life is truly in jeopardy with anything rented from these folks and it is shocking that Budget lends their name to this operation. Shame on you, Budget!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Budget Truck Rental is the worst company known to man. I order a 26 foot truck 2 weeks in advance for my move and they didn't think to tell me it was unavailable until noon the day before my move. I got a 16 foot truck instead "at no additional cost" and I could have canceled and they would have "removed the cancellation fee". Um okay... So I got an pick up my tiny truck that is not big enough for my move and they end up charging me for the 26 foot anyway. When I called the shop, they told me they can't fix it in their system or it will cause a glitch so I better talk to Budget directly. Well considering you're the idiot who input the wrong price, you should do this instead of me wasting my valuable time.

But I call Budget and sit on hold for 10 minutes before I get a person. When I do, I am told I will be refunded $180 dollars once my reservation is closed so he would put notes in the system and I need to call back again...instead of them just doing it. Why on earth couldn't they just give me the refund then? So I call back the next day and the woman who answers (after 15 minutes) tells me (after being put on hold 2x) that there are no notes in the system and she could give me $105.

Well that wasn't going to work so I demanded the $180 which is the difference between the two truck prices and she refused again. She told me "the rate doesn't exist anymore" despite the fact that I was looking at the website right then and there. I told her I needed to talk to her supervisor and was put on hold...again. When I finally get the supervisor and told him the situation, he put me on hold AGAIN! Then he told me the rate doesn't exist and that I couldn't get the $180. I told him he was being absurd and that I was looking at the rate and he needs to compensate me the $180. Finally he agreed. I honestly don't have a lot of faith that I'll get that money on my card again. This is the worst company to work with. Spend the extra money to get a Uhaul or something else because this crap company will do nothing but try to take your money and give you the wrong sized trucks. Waste of my time.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Budget "Confirmed" my Truck Rental for 12/15 2:00 P.M., Denver, Co. When I arrived at 1-70 & Harlan Services at 1:20 P.M. the truck was not there. Shawn, the owner, of 1-70 & Harlan Services had been told by Budget that there was no truck and that Budget would contact me. Budget DID NOT INFORM me that there was no truck for the reservation they "confirmed". (From talking to the employees at 1-70 & Harlan Services, Budget not having a truck for a "confirmed" reservation is a common occurrence.) >>And now Budget has charged me a $50 No Show fee when it was Budget that was a NO SHOW with their "confirmed "reservation. <<<( I spoke with Steve, Budget "Inventory Manager",at 2:15 P.M. 12/15 who confirmed that Budget didn't have the "confirmed" reserved truck). From my experience Budget Truck Rental is a SNAFU (situation normal all ** up) company!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Will never rent from Budget again. Reserved a Budget rental truck for 4:30 p.m. online. I arrive at the rental location at 4:34 p.m., thinking there wouldn't be a problem. As it turns out, the location on Garden of the Gods closes at 4:30 p.m. I knocked on the door but the lights were out and there wasn't an employee in sight which leads me to believe they closed BEFORE 4:30 p.m. Why would Budget allow you to rent a truck when their locations close at 4:30? Their cutoff rental time should be an hour earlier then! I did find one location open until 5 p.m. on Galley Road in Colorado Springs. I arrived at 4:58 p.m. (just before they locked the door) and asked if I could transfer my reservation to that location. I was told they didn't have any rental trucks available and even if they did, their system shuts down at 4:30 p.m. I ended up going with U-Haul and canceled my Budget reservation. The customer service representative was extremely rude when canceling.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Rented a truck online in advance. Day of move, received a phone call that truck had "broken seatbelt", and another truck would be sent from approximately 30 miles away (approx. 2 hrs late). Truck failed to arrive that day at all. While truck was available the following day, the delay caused us to lose loaders scheduled to help pack on day rented, and also loss of unloaders to assist in another state the following day. No apologies from anyone. Made numerous calls to the corporate office -- was hung up on multiple times (customer service was HORRIBLE). Requested financial adjustment from customer service, which was finally granted, but the amount was less than 25% of what we paid, even though we lost an entire day. Never again -- rating would have been ZERO stars if possible.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Reserved a 26' truck to move from Virginia to Tennessee. When I arrived at the pickup point found out that they did not have any. Finally spoke to a representative in the "main office" who assured me that he would find one for me and call me back within 15 minutes. After 30 minutes I finally took one of the trucks that they had (16') and was forced to leave many things behind. Now after several months I still have not received a return phone call. Is this a "bait and switch?" Or simply poor customer service. Regardless, I recommend that you rent from someone else!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I scheduled a truck from Budget Truck Rental for pickup in Cranberry Township PA on November 18. The reservation was made by credit card more than two weeks in advance. I called Budget on Wednesday, Nov 15 to confirm that the specific (26') truck would in fact be available, and was assured by the national phone line operator that it would be. I drove 250 miles from Maryland to begin the move back to Maryland, and was met by two friends who drove 145 miles (one way) to help me. No truck, no call, no truck within 50 miles. The clerk explained that the normal protocol is for the manager to check the inventory and call if there are going to be any problems. I reported this by call to Budget on Monday morning, and as of 4 December, have not even gotten an apology.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I reserved a truck to move and when it was time to go and pick up the truck they told me they did not have a truck in all of Sacramento. What's the point of reserving a truck if you're not going to have one available. I have to move out today and they can not find a truck anywhere. I WILL NEVER EVER USE BUDGET AGAIN. They are very incompetent and practice bad business. At the time of the reservation they should plainly say that we may not have a truck available at the time of your request. This only guarantee the price quoted and nothing else.

The people I spoke with were rude and not helpful at all, and just keep giving you the runaround. So I asked if they had another size available and they said, "No." I am like wow really, so in all of Sacramento you have absolutely not one available truck. I think that misquoted the price and do not want to honor it, that's what I believe is the reason for all of this. They lost a customer and I will tell everyone I know and work with and I work at the united states post office. I will tell all the people I deliver mail to and work with about there bad practices.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information