Find a Movers partner

2.9/5 (2110 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Budget Truck Rental

Budget Truck Rental offers individual and commercial moving services. The company provides rental trucks, packing supplies and moving services. It offers some discounts and is widely available. Renters can choose between a range of cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12-foot to 26-foot trucks.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top Budget Truck Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a 16' truck from Budget a few weeks ago and received great customer service from all of the employees that I met. I picked up the truck the evening before my move, Linda ...

Verified

Rented a 16 ft truck to move my mother from Indiana to Georgia. Other than the line at the pickup being long, everything else was just as good as expected. Truck was clean and ran...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Budget Truck Rental?

Budget Truck Rental is a moving truck company that caters to individual and commercial clients. It operates nationwide with more than 1,600 company-owned and dealer locations. You can choose between cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12- to 16-foot trucks, depending on how much you need to transport. All the trucks in its fleet have automatic transmissions, power steering and power brakes, making them easy to operate. Many also come with walk ramps or liftgates.

You can also rent towing equipment, hand trucks and furniture pads from Budget and get packing, loading and unloading assistance from its partner company HireAHelper. Budget also offers protection plans for its rental trucks, which include supplemental liability insurance and roadside assistance. It provides discounted fees for AARP members, military veterans, students, members of the Bar Association, EMTs, firefighters and police officers.

Budget Truck Rental services

Budget Truck Rental has thousands of locations around the country. You can make a reservation online, on the phone or in person. To get a quote and finalize your reservation, you’ll need to determine when you need the truck, where you’ll pick it up and drop it off and what size vehicle you need. Budget offers traditional trucks measuring 12, 16, 24 and 26 feet long. For smaller moves, you can rent a cargo van or pick-up truck.

Budget also rents out its trucks for light commercial use, offers towing equipment like car carriers and tow dollies, sells packing supplies and rents out hand trucks and furniture pads. You can also opt to get packing, loading and unloading assistance from HireAHelper.

Budget Truck Rental prices

Budget Truck Rental’s rates vary depending on the type of move. Its prices include a flat daily charge for the truck rental, per-mile fees, gas, taxes and fees. It also requires a $150 refundable deposit. The per-mile fee can range from $0.60 to $1.00, and the daily truck cost can vary from $19.99 to $49.99 or more.

You can also add liability coverage, but this will increase the price. Budget also charges no-show fees and late-return fees. Your cost will depend on where you’re moving from and to, when you need the truck, truck size and any extra services you desire. Its weekday rental prices are generally cheaper than weekend rates.

Budget Truck Rental FAQ

Are Budget trucks reliable?
    Yes, Budget’s trucks are reliable. All its locations perform 10-point inspections on the equipment before each rental. The company maintains its equipment regularly, purchases new trucks annually and retires older vehicles. If something does go wrong, the company offers 24/7 roadside assistance.
    Does Budget Truck Rental take debit cards?
    Yes, Budget accepts payment by debit card. You can pay with debit at the time of the reservation and when you return the truck. If you use a debit card, the deposit amount will appear in your account as a hold.
    What do I need to rent a truck from Budget?
    To rent a Budget truck, you need a valid driver’s license and a credit or debit card. On the day of your reservation, you must present your license and a second valid form of ID. This can be a credit/debit card, valid passport, Social Security card, U.S. military ID card, employer-issued photo ID, a current utility bill or a pay stub.
    Where is Budget Truck Rental available?
    Budget Truck Rental has over 1,600 locations in the U.S. You can use its location finder to find the closest rental facility.

Is Budget Truck Rental good?

Budget Truck Rental offers rental trucks, moving services and packing supplies for individuals and commercial customers. For those taking on a DIY move, this is an ideal service. The company has thousands of locations around the country, and it’s generally affordable for local moves. However, its fees can add up quickly, especially if you’re planning a long-distance or multiday move, and insurance coverage and roadside assistance come at an extra cost.

Budget Truck Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: July 13, 2021

I rented a moving truck from this place and I was dropping off the truck in Miami. The trip was horrible. The truck was overheated. I paid for the full insurance package. I called so many time to the road side assistance and they never answered. I SPEND 23 HOUR FROM ATLANTA TO MIAMI IN THIS MOVING TRUCK. I never had any response from Budget. I've called they say that some supervisor will contact me but I haven't received any call and I have been on the line for more than one hour. They charged me $1000 for this "service". DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Never use Budget Truck Rental! I made a reservation for a 12 foot truck about a month before my move. Because I was moving from Los Angeles, CA to UT, it was very expensive (over $1,200). When I showed up to pick up my truck I was informed that they didn't have any 12 foot trucks and that all they had were vans. They had my reservation in the computer but they said there was nothing that they could do because they didn't have any trucks. They said that if I would have read all the fine print that it didn't actually say that they would have the type of truck that I had reserved when I showed up. Apparently, a "reservation" is not actually a reservation for this company.

My entire move was scheduled around this date and a van wasn't going to cut it. They never called or emailed or anything to tell me that there might be a problem. They told me that they had no visibility into availability at other locations and there was nothing they could do. After some heated discussion they somehow "found" a 16 foot truck that was supposed to go to someone else (sorry to that guy!) and gave it to me. Then, I had to deal with them pushing insurance on me and making me call my insurance company to verify that I was covered.

Luckily I had a truck (although it was too big for my purposes) but unfortunately it was a piece of trash. It had over 185,000 miles on it and I felt like it was going to break down at any moment. It started overheating as I drove through the desert and the air conditioner stopped working. I slowed down and stopped for a bit to try to make sure it wouldn't overheat. For the whole 11 hour trip I thought it was going to break down at any moment and that I was going to be stranded somewhere. Luckily, I made it.

As if that wasn't enough, the back of the truck was infested with ants that got all over my stuff! The disaster only got worse when I tried to return the truck. The return "office" was just a shed and despite it being during business hours (8:30 with business hours being from 8 - 5), nobody was there. There was a phone number to call in the event that nobody was at the office but, of course, no one answered the phone. I had to come back later in the day to find the office still locked but at least someone answered the phone that time. How does a company function with such incompetence, horrible business processes, and disregard for the customer? I will never use them again.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I wanted to post this to hopefully save others from going through what we have been going through. We have been stranded in Barstow, California for three days. We rented the largest Budget truck in northern California for our move to Texas. We picked it up and it broke down in Barstow, before we reached our first stop. Initially the service was terrific. They had a mechanic out for review by 8 AM the next morning. The truck had to be taken to their shop pending approval from budget for the parts and labor to fix the truck. There is literally no communication and every time we call the fleet department for budget we are told that they have no update because budget has not approved the repairs. This is after being on hold for 30 minutes to an hour.

We have called twice a day for the last three days and gotten nowhere. All of our possessions are sitting in the truck in the lot of the company that is supposed to fix it. We have spent $900 and hotel fees as well as had to pay for food for three days for three people. I would not suggest using budget trucks to anybody. We are still stranded here and we are losing valuable time at work in addition to the money we’ve already spent.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Budget Truck Rental trucks are the worst I've ever seen. I rented a one way truck from Phoenix to Louisville and the check engine light came on and off the whole trip, the exhaust fell off several times, the came on and off the whole, a loud banging sound from the top of the truck and the windshield wipers scratched the windshield they were so bad. And Budget could care less. I was also supposed to get my deposit back at drop off and they decided they could only mail me a check. Customer service blew me off several times and roadside assistance would never answer the phone. Horrible, horrible company! Don't find out the hard way.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I've rented moving vehicles multiple times and this was the worst experience. I got a confirmation email for the reservation 48 hours beforehand. I called the local office to see if I could pick up slightly earlier and was told there weren't any trucks available. When asked how to address this I got a snarky "Budget doesn't guarantee truck rentals". This is for a cross country move within 48 hours of rental time.

I've spent hours on the phone with various levels of budget from their local office at this location to corporate trying to get more information on what's happening without any help. I've been told 4 times now that someone would call me within 2 hours to provide an update and hours later no one has called so I've had to try following up. You spend 20-30 min on the phone before you get to anyone who even knows that there's been an incident with your reservation. Multiple times I've been on hold long enough that their system disconnects the call and I've had to start over. I've been told that there was a truck at the location by customer service only to call the local location trying to verify to be told no there wasn't.

It's now 3pm the afternoon before my move the next morning and I've had to spend time finding another truck with a different company because they still have no update... And this is all after being incredibly proactive with multiple promises of a call back. If I hadn't called to try and move the hours up I would never had known (no one from budget let me know) and would have showed up at this location only to find there is no truck available after arranging all the details for the move. They have never even had the courtesy to call to let me know there was an issue or give me an update on what was going on. Please save yourself the hours and hassle and rent from another company! You don't want to show up only for there not to be a vehicle available and no one from budget available to help.

Original review: June 20, 2021

We’ve never dealt with a more incompetent business. We rented a 26’ moving truck for today to move from Kentucky to North Carolina. The only Budget truck available was over an hour away. Imagine our surprise when we’re supposed to leave to pick the truck up, we get a call saying they don’t have a 26’ but a 16’ available. She said we should’ve gotten a phone call or email from Budget. We received no contact from them whatsoever.

Already stressed because our stuff is not going to fit in a 16’, we drive the hour and a half to find we couldn’t use my husband's discount through work for reasons unknown to us, she just told us she couldn’t use it for this order. It was going to cost us more to rent the 16’ than the 26’, with the full coverage. Budget was contacted and said nothing can be done. Now to drive another hour out of the way to pick up a 20’ U-Haul that’s less than what we were spending at Budget. Save yourself the time and money and rent with U-Haul the first time.

Original review: June 1, 2021

I recently rented a truck to move my mother in law to another state. I got a reservation from Budget Truck Rental, and another truck company. I ended up booking with a different truck company so I ended up cancelling the reservation with Budget literally less than 2 hours after I booked it and even got a confirmation email of cancellation. I received a voicemail from the office I was supposed to pick up the Budget truck asking me where I was, and when I was going to pick up the truck as there is a $75 dollar cancellation charge for no shows. I called the woman back and explained to her that I cancelled the reservation 2 hours after I booked it and have a confirmation email of cancellation. She said she cancelled it and I should get no fee. Lo and behold, the $75 dollar fee showed up on my credit card 2 days later.

I called budget's 800 number and explained it to them. The lady on the phone said she has processed the refund for $75. My credit card balance still says otherwise. I have a feeling I'm going to have to dispute this charge with my credit card in a few days. I don't understand the issue here and why I am getting fees for something I canceled way in advance. Budget needs to get it together.

Original review: May 31, 2021

The worst customer service ever! 1st off, I get to the location for my rental and they hand me a questionnaire full of insurance coverage questions that there is no way anyone would know the answers to. Since I was on a time constraint as most people are, I had no way to answer these questions. So, they gave me no choice but to pay for their $60 insurance. When I get the truck, it was missing its front end and was absolutely filthy inside! The customer service is even worse than the truck was. When I told them of the problems they were rude and snarky. They are only concerned with their bottom line, not making customers happy. Heck! It wouldn't have even taken that much to make me happy, just not giving me a broken down truck and doubling the cost of rental once I'm actually at the pick-up place.

They did not seem too bothered at the fact that I was given this junk truck to use and forced insurance upon when it was already practically falling apart. I sent in pictures and they offered me a measly $5 refund! It just seems like a great deal until you actually get there. Spend the extra money which will only end up being a few dollars more and go with U-haul or literally any other truck service! Trust me!

Original review: May 21, 2021

I reserved a moving truck on April 1, 2021. For a move on May 28, 2021. I received a email from budget that my moving truck is cancelled today May 20, 2021. 8 days before the move. No trucks available is the reason for cancelled. It now cost me $2500 more because of their bad management. I am a disabled senior on a limited income. The price difference will take me a year to make up. All they will do is give me a $150 credit. I have to use another company and pay the bill then email budget. btr-customerservice@avisbudget.com. What a way to treat your customers. Take a long hard look before you use this company.

Original review: May 20, 2021

This company needs to be held accountable for it's actions. When you try to kill people it usually lands you in prison, but when it's a company doing the deed apparently it's perfectly fine. This is my account of what happened to my family at their hands. Budget isn't a great company at all. They rented us a truck that was a piece of garbage that should have been taken off the road. When the lady we rented from did a walk around with us she assured us there were no issues aside from a dent on the right door. She lied...smaller issues included the lock being broke on the right door, to random other things broke throughout. The door rattled when we drove and I had to worry about the door coming open in the middle of the interstate, the wheel would stick making it impossible to stay in the center of the road, and if you were not careful the truck would drift almost getting us into an accident several times.

The break and gas pedal were yanked up at the same level and would stick as well, just moving where we did we almost died in a head on collision with a semi. I was literally screaming the whole time. "Back the truck up! Back it up," to my fiancee's brother who drove me and all my fiancee and my furniture. And don't even get me started on their ridiculous policy of only the driver is allowed to pay, something they even admitted they don't tell the customer til they show up to rent.

When we turned the truck in to the state we moved to the woman behind the counter was shocked when we told her what happened and even said "why was this allowed on the road without inspection?" She agreed to serve as our witness when we reported this and Budget's answer...not even an apology. "Oh your life was in danger, here we'll...let you generously have 60 bucks back out of the 850 you spent. Aren't we so kind?" If anyone has any sense should never ever use Budget, not unless you have a death wish.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information