1.01/5
Based on 97 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

601 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

I would actually give zero stars if I could. This was worst experience of our life! Budget made us sit along side of road 3 hrs with transmission problems. Tried to blame us for being overweight. Made us sit 5 hrs at pilot to get weighted. We were NOT overweight. Had to stay overnight. Took until 3 pm next day to get on road. Couldn’t get truck back on time, called to make arrangements. Still charged us 270 late charge. Mark regional manager of Lynchburg VA would not give any refund. Main office wouldn’t give refund. Budget denied our claim through credit card. Nobody cares! We were treated horribly!

Original review: July 8, 2018

Status of my refund? I reserved a 16' truck and two days before pickup received a reservation confirmation. I arrived to pick up truck and only had a 12'. It didn't have a ramp and I had moving crew ready to work, so I had to settle for the smaller truck and make more trips. The smaller truck was so short that I couldn't get my cabinets in it, so I had to pay a friend to use his truck. Just ridiculous. Then, my Costco discount couldn't be applied to the transaction causing increased expense and causing me to lose my 2% cash back through Costco. I typically use U-Haul but used Budget because of Costco backing the Budget name. I have never been so disappointed.

Further, my refund was promised on 7-3-2018 and still no credit to my bank account. Finally, the support staff on the telephone line were rude!! He was confused because there were two confirmation numbers associated with my reservation because of the 16' promised truck and the 12' provided truck. I had to repeatedly explain this, talk about frustrating! Then, he took the position that I wasn't entitled to a refund because "at least [I] had a truck". Because of Budget I had to pay friends to move the larger items in their truck which inconvenienced them and cost me more money. Then it didn't have a ramp so I had to pay a few men from the neighborhood to come pick up the heavy stuff since I couldn't use the Dolly to roll the heavy items into the truck BECAUSE it was so small it didn't have a ramp. One thing after another this company! And, now I have to chase down my refund.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: July 6, 2018

I reserved a rental truck 2 weeks in advance. I received a confirmation and a phone call the week of pick up verifying that I was still picking up the truck on the specified date. The day I went to pick up the truck. I was told there was no truck available. I was moving and had movers scheduled to meet me. I was offered a smaller truck than I reserved, with no discount for the inconvenience and I would have to wait because it was coming from another budget location. The whole experience was unprofessional. Please do not rent from Budget.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Don’t ever do business with @Budget. They give you unsafe vehicles, make you wait hours on hold for roadside assistance then refuse to refund money when you pay for extra days but turn it in early. Very bad COMPANY... Go to Penske with all your truck rental needs. Billion times better Company, Services, Equipment and Billing.

Original review: July 3, 2018

On May 31, we rented a 26' truck for a cross country move. We were scheduled to pick up the truck on June 26 at 9 am. On June 24, we received an email verifying our reservation and saying "don’t forget, it’s almost time to pack and move." At 1:00 pm on June 25, we received a phone call stating our reservation was cancelled. The reason being they did not have a truck for us. (Isn't that what reservation means? That they will have a truck for us?) They stated they had none in the entire state in the size we needed or even in a smaller size. Although I don't think the caller was at fault, there was no sympathetic response or even a desire to connect us with another company. We quickly began calling other companies and Penske found a 26' truck for us for almost the same price. We had to drive over an hour to get it, but were thankful for Penske's attitude toward helpfulness. We will definitely not use Budget ever again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: July 1, 2018

Reserved a truck for my moving a one way trip from Fort Lauderdale to Lakeland. Reserved the Truck on May 27th, 2018 for my move on June 30th, 2018. On June 28th I get a call that they will not have a truck available for my move. They didn't even bother to help me. Left me flat. I had to hustle to find another truck with a different company last minute. Not only did they delay my move but cost me a lot more because they were very irresponsible. I had to do everything. Last minute delayed move delayed me from returning to work on a timely manner. I received no call from anyone apologizing for my inconvenience and for their horrible way of treating a customer. I work for a really large construction company to say the least I will pass the word out about this horrible company and lack of consideration for their customers...and I know a lot of companies so definitely their loss.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I made an online truck rental a week in advance and received 2 confirmations. The first confirmation right away and the second confirmation the afternoon before. Since I was traveling 45 minutes to the location truck pickup, thankfully I decided to call the location just to make sure. I gave my confirmation to the lady who I spoke with. She said “We don’t have any trucks here”. I said “But I have a confirmation” to which she replied, "We don’t have any trucks." I asked when they had planned on telling me, and she said, "Well someone should have called." I told her I really needed a truck. She said she’d her manager call me back.

The manager never called me. And the original lady I spoke with never offered an apology even after I mentioned that I was picking up a hospital bed for my husband. I immediately filed a complaint to Budget online asking for help and I needed a truck as they promised and about 5 or 6 days later I get an email saying that by the time they received my complaint it was too late to get me a truck for the day I had needed it.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Do not rent from these people. They don't answer the phone. The place is dirty and loud from a gym inside were you conduct your business. This is at 817 BrightSeat RD in Hyattsville MD. The manager told me next time go to U-Haul if I didn't like the service. No trucks on the lot either.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Rented a truck and car trailer for my long haul trip to Seattle (1400 miles). Got home to realize the trailer was missing lugnuts. (Mario said he just rented a truck and car trailer for my long haul trip to Seattle) (1400 miles). Got home to realize the trailer was missing lug nuts. (Mario said he just put new tires on the trailer.) Great inspection eh? So I call and the manager answered, I told him the situation, it said "it should be fine to still use it"... I hung up, thought about his answer and called right back. This time Tereca answered, told her the story and basically was told if I didn't want to take it to bring it back and I could call U-Haul to see if they had one I could use... (Budget was sold out in the entire state apparently) so I informed her I was right in the middle of loading the truck and that they needed to come get the trailer they should have NEVER let leave the lot, not to mention a 1400 mile trip.

The "manager" said they had no one to come get it and that I'd have to do it... So I called roadside assistance to see if they could maybe fix it (which you would think the store would recommend that). The guy came out. Repaired the trailer and I had him check everything else too... And mentioned this particular budget is known for this crap... So the next day we headed out... drove 16hrs and somewhere in the middle of Oregon, the trailer axle breaks.

Call roadside assistance AGAIN and had to wait 2 hours for someone to find us. I called them back to tell them I had 2 dogs in the car and we needed to go, I took my car off the car trailer and we left, with roadsides permission of course... Had to leave my car in Portland, OR until I could go back to get it. So now I had to spend gas money on it, and gas money to go back to Portland and then back to Seattle in 2 vehicles... This was a trip from hell from the very moment I picked up the truck.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I obtained a reservation for a 16' parcel van back in August 16, 2016 for a reservation for July 14, 2018 in Kalispell, MT. My Reservation # is **. I called today, June 29, 2018, to check on my reservation. What I found out was Budget Truck no longer has a dealership in Kalispell, and I was never informed. Furthermore, if I want a Budget Truck, I'd have to make a new reservation with the dealership in Missoula, MT 70+ miles away. Needless to say, I'll never use Budget Trucks again!

Original review: June 29, 2018

Like most other experiences posted here, mine is similarly disappointing: I reserved a truck with a credit card 10 days in advance for pick-up/drop-off in Jersey City, NJ. No indications from them whatsoever of any inventory problem were even remotely made. Two days before the rental, I received my second confirmation email from them. On the next day, less than 24 hours before the rental, a person at the pick-up/drop-off location (a gas station in Jersey City) calls and tells me they will have no trucks available and that I need to call Budget and cancel so I don't get charged for being a "no show".

This is June 29th... when the lease on our old apartment expires on June 30th, and municipal street parking permits/spaces had already been paid for and secured for the day of the move. I called the gas station back, and they said they were informed by Budget that there were no trucks available for the weekend. I then called Budget, and they half-heartedly apologized and looked into their system confirming there were no available trucks at all... in the entire state of NJ!! Unbelievable! They said an inventory "specialist" would contact me between 15 minutes and 2 hours.

Six hours later and the "specialist" finally calls and also offers a half-heartedly apology and saying he checked the entire region and no trucks were currently available... but there were a few in their shop waiting on parts for repairs... and that one might be available by the end of the day or early morning. Yeah... right. Stay away from Budget, I will be telling AARP to remove them for the reasons stated throughout this thread.

At least I was able to find a locally owned and operated truck rental place about 50 miles away who was able to accommodate me. Three cheers for Justin's Rentals in Hamilton NJ!! The cost will be a bit more, especially with the further mileage, but what does one do when a supposed "reputable" truck rental company pulls off a stunt like they did with me (and so many others in this thread). Lesson learned... STAY AWAY from Budget Truck Rental at ALL costs. I'd like to give them a negative star if I could.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I ordered a truck over a week ago, I was given confirmation that there would be a truck for me today. I am told today there will not be a truck available. I am desperately trying to find a truck with someone else right now. This is completely unacceptable!

Original review: June 28, 2018

I rented a truck last week. I confirmed it with credit card reservation. I needed the truck as I am moving and there is also a wedding involved. I called today to confirm my reservation and did confirm my reservation. The reservation is a couple hours away and I wanted to just make sure of the address. When I called the direct site the local site I was told that there would not be any trucks available today or tomorrow. I cannot imagine being put out like this. I had people helping me. I am disabled and a senior and I had to get all my things out.

I tried to contact customer service and of course it is outsourced and they said the soonest somebody could get back with me is within 2 hours. That's ludicrous. When I'm already on my way to pick up a truck that now I learn isn't even available. No one was even apologetic or understanding and of course you can't get ahold of anyone in the corporate office. I hope these people go out of business for the way they treat others. Please let me know if someone knows how somebody in corporate can be reached.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I rented a truck and trailer about 2-3 weeks ago, only to find out 2 days before I am moving that the trailer is not available. They "might" be able to get it on the day that I move. I'll write an update if I get it, but even so, I still have a sour taste in my mouth about the experience and the customer service I received. I had to call customer service a 2nd time (the day after my initial call, when I was initially told I would get a call within 2 hours). The inventory manager who I spoke with was very defensive and stated it's all based on availability and this information is given up front, and that it's the same with every other truck rental company.

I'm sure that's true, but I've rented a truck and trailer from U-Haul 3 times in the past 3 years and have not had this issue, always had the truck and trailer I had reserved available, and without them making me feel like they were doing me a big favor by providing me with the equipment I reserved. U-Haul probably keeps a larger inventory of trailers so that it's not an issue. The short of it is, if you are flexible on days and you're ok with having uncertainty about whether you'll actually get the equipment you need, then Budget is cheaper. For me, I have learned my lesson and next time I will just pay more through U-Haul so I don't have the headache. I won't be using Budget Truck Rental again.

Original review: June 28, 2018

The nightmare started when our budget truck broke down on the middle of a curvy downhill mountain road 45 mins from anywhere. Thankfully we had limited service and we called the roadside assistant number. It was about 8pm on a Saturday. We waited on hold, being told there were "high volume of customers calling and they would be right with us" for over an hour...no one ever answered. During this time a highway patrol officer stopped and tried to help us. He called a tow truck who said they had worked with Budget in the past. When the tow truck driver got there he refused to tow us because his company couldn't get ahold of Budget either and they were worried they would not be compensated. So, two hours later we decided to leave our truck on the side of the mountain road and find a hotel and try to call again in the morning.

In the morning after being on hold for 30 mins we did finally get to talk to someone who took our information and said they would get back to us. An hour after that we get an automated call that glitched and didn't play the whole message but heard that a technician would be to us in an hour so we headed back to our truck. An hour and a half later no one was still there. When we finally got a hold of someone they said the technician was going to met us at our hotel (We had never told them where we were staying) and about 30-45 mins after that he finally showed up.

Over the phone we had told the technician which belt on the truck had broke but when he showed up he came with nothing, looked at the truck for about 5 mins, left again to go get the belt we had already told him had broke. Finally he came back and fixed our truck. When we finally got to the end of our trip, a day late, and tried to talk to someone we were told that we would have to call customer service to complain (and probably be on hold for another hour or two...no thank you). SO, just know Budget might be cheaper but it comes at a cost of time, sanity, and safety. Choose another company especially if you are moving a long distance.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Rented a moving truck and my initial encounter with the rental person was dissatisfying. Not very pleasant and helpful. No truck inspection was done with him and when given the keys, was told "it's the last truck in the row facing south." No documentation on the vehicle was done prior to me taking it off the lot. I took the truck to my house, 3 friends and I loaded it and when they were following me to my new location, they noticed that the right rear passenger tire looked very low in air.

After arriving at our destination, we unloaded the truck and then they remembered to tell me about the tire and we looked at it. It was not low, the tire was blown on the outer wall. I called their emergency service and waited 2 hours for assistance. Tire was changed and I returned truck to rental location where I picked it up. They are now charging me with this fee (tire, change, roadside assistance) on a tire that may have had issues prior to my renting it. The tire was last "looked at" March 6, 2018 (3 months prior to me renting) and had renters prior to me. There may not have been documented damage as it was not noticed but there is no way to prove that I was responsible for a blown tire, which may have had defaults prior to my renting. There was NO damage to the vehicle whatsoever and they are trying to charge me for the tire and other fees. My safety in driving this truck was at risk as well and now they want me to pay for their maintenance. Sorry!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have had to explain this situation to 10 different people! This is completely uncalled for and horrible customer service. You state you offer Ebates for your rentals but your website refuses to work and I called customer service and the number listed on the webpage to call and no one could help me. Responses of, "Oh I don’t know anything about it", "Contact your bank", "We can’t help you", "We don’t deal with that." Seriously then how come YOUR WEBSITE GAVE ME THIS NUMBER TO CALL! Oh and of course the lady at the pick up counter had no idea and couldn’t help at all either!

We were to pick up our truck at 9am from the Weyers Cave, VA airport on Thursday June 21. They did not have a truck ready. I then changed the reservation time to 11 am thinking that would give them enough to do their job. Boy was I wrong. Got there at 11am had to wait 30 minutes just to be acknowledged and helped. Then waited additional time as the truck was still not ready and they had no idea what I needed. The counter lady had to go out with a man and unload all the previous blankets and rental needs from the previous renter. They also had to then go get the car tow dolly hooked up. The truck was dirty and nasty and was not cleaned out from the previous renter. I should have realized from the beginning how bad budget customer service and rental was and walked away before this nightmare started.

We got home loaded up the truck and left the following day Friday morning June 22. We had the car hooked up behind the truck for being towed to Michigan from Virginia. The tow haul switch did not work. This caused a major stress on the engine and had the truck guzzling down extra gas and rpms running at 4000 almost the entire trip. Even the smallest hill we were topped speed of 40mph. An hour into our trip the check engine light came on and remained on the rest of the trip. I called roadside assistance to inform them but they hung up on the call 2 different times so I gave up. I talked to customer service and they informed me they couldn’t do anything for me until after I completed my rental. Wow great customer service. NOT!

Then our 8 hour trip turned into a 12 hour trip because the gas nozzle tube on the truck is broken and it takes 20 minutes to put gas into the truck as you have to constantly readjust the pump nozzle because it keeps shutting off and stating it is full so the only way to get gas in was by holding it at the tip and having gas splash out as you attempt to fill the truck. Reminding you again that the gas was using double the amount it should because it was overworking itself since the check engine light was on. Oh and then with customer service yeah they all SUCK. Everyone refuses to help you and states they can’t do anything for ya. So what’s the point of having a customer service department?

Yesterday I talked to a lady in customer service that obviously doesn’t know what customer service means. They stated she couldn’t get in contact with the drop off location at 3pm but they are open until 5pm so she stated she would keep trying for me to call back after a while to verify everything. Needless to say she didn’t do what she said she was going to so when I called back at 730pm and talked to a guy he stated, "Oh the office is closed and I can’t verify anything." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? No one can do their job. You had 4 1/2 hours to get the information and update the reservation and didn’t. WOW YOU'RE AWESOME! NOT! Once again fail on your end!

Needless to say I will be posting this information and rental experience on every website and rating experience found. I will be happy to pay for the car dolly because that actually performed like it is guaranteed and I had no issues with it. I am requesting half my rental back so I will pay $200.00 for the rental and I am requesting you refund the other $212.93 for this complete nightmare.

Also the place where I returned the truck disregarding all the information I left on the note and put another individual in the truck knowing there are issues with the truck that is endangering someone’s well being. Completely NOT okay! THANK GOD he stated it was only a local rental and not going a far distance or towing anything. You should change your voice message when you call to, "WELCOME TO BUDGET WHERE WE REFUSE TO PROVIDE ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE AND YOUR PROBLEMS ARE NOT OURS!" I hope to find that you are willing to do the right thing and try to make this nightmare end on a good note. Thanks.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I reserved a truck online two weeks before my move and the night before our move I received a voicemail telling me there was no truck available and to give them a callback. I called and finally 2 hours later they told me I could get my truck at a different location (5 miles away)- same time, same size truck. It was annoying dealing with the back and forth, but I was fine with the "small" adjustment. We showed up at the new location at 8am, like it was promised, only to find out the location didn't open until 9:30. We waited in the parking lot until then and called Budget. I talked to 4 different people, none of which would help me. We go inside at 9:30 and they tell me they aren't officially set up for budget trucks yet and literally have never had a truck. The woman said that we were the 8th people that Budget had sent there promising a truck that wasn't there.

I called Budget back (it was 10am at this point), and again they transferred me to 5 different people and no help. They said they were "expediting" my call and I would hear from someone sooner than 2 hours (spoiler alert- expediting meant we will call you in 4 hours). I was fed up so I went to U-Haul and got great customer service and the truck I needed. I was supposed to pick up my Budget truck at 8am and they never even called to try and get me a truck until 2pm that day. I was already unpacking at the new house by then. Save your time and sanity and go with a different company. I assure you it'll be worth it.

Original review: June 19, 2018

WITH A RESERVATION, NO TRUCK! I called with an unrelated question to find out that they have 10 reservations so far and 2 trucks for customers to rent for my day. Ted's Moving in Pembroke Pines said call Budget Truck Rental Corporate. Wow was that a mistake. They did nothing and didn't care. Reading all of the negative reviews, I don't see how they are still in business! I AM FIRING BUDGET RENTAL TRUCK.

Original review: June 12, 2018

After specifically denying insurance and signing that I would use my own, they still charged me. I contacted customer service and told them of the error. As of yet nothing, so, I have been forced to challenge charge with my bank. They also did not tell me about another charge without my knowledge and again will have to dispute with my bank. At least U-Haul tells you about charges upfront. Their service is poor at best and as other reviews have stated, very unorganized. I too fell victim to making an online reservation only to have them lose it and send me to another facility. Customer service at its finest. Please do yourself a favor and use any other moving company besides Budget.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I reserved a Budget Truck 2 weeks in advance. I received my email confirmation telling me the truck was confirmed and I had a confirmation number. My rental day arrived and 45 minutes before I was to go pick up the truck, I received a call telling me that the truck I reserved was not available and to call the 1800 budget number. I have no clue why the truck would not be available if I had reserved 2 weeks in advance with a valued confirmation! When I call the 1800 number, the worker told me that they would have to request the truck from a different location.

Once the request was processed, we had a window between 15 minutes to 2 hours for them to call us just to let us know if they have a truck available. I asked what happened if they didn’t have a truck after waiting for a call for up to 2 hours and he said they would have to call another location. Well that game could go on all day! So I looked into the competitor's rates, that being U-Haul. And even though the cost was more expensive, I went ahead and reserved a truck with U-Haul.

I’m very upset with my experience because I was looking forward to having a truck on a certain day at a certain time and I had that in mind for 2 weeks; to literally as I’m walking out my door to go pick up the truck being told it was now unavailable. My whole moving day was off schedule and started off very frustrating. The night before, the amount and types of rental trucks should be verified and the customers should be notified instead of being blindsided less than an hour before! I will not be looking at Budget again for any moving help in the future.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Consumer beware: NEVER RENT FROM BUDGET! They are probably the most unorganized company I’ve EVER dealt with! They overcharge, charge you for things you haven’t done, and decide to BILL you for them almost two months later! Unbelievable! Just when I think I’m done with this trainwreck they pull this “charge” out of thin air! I DO NOT recommend this service unless you want a giant headache! I will NEVER rent from this embarrassment of a company again! The most unprofessional morons I’ve ever had the displeasure of renting with!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I will never rent another Budget Truck. I was overcharged by about 65 dollars and they refuse to make it right, treating me like a scumbag who is trying to get stuff for free! Do not rent from Budget, they turn people off and treat you like you're stupid!

Original review: June 3, 2018

I reserved a 16’ truck with a car carrier 5 days in advance. When the date came to pick up said equipment only the truck was available. Corporate wouldn’t even answer to the man I picked up the truck from and when they answered for me I was told an inventory manager would get back with me in 2 hours. It took 8 hours for them to contact me. Once they did they had a car carrier 50 miles NORTH of where I picked up my truck. Also the t icu was disgusting. It had someone’s toenail clippings in it and wet dog food and smelt like something real bad. I had to take the car dolly in order to take my car on the out of state move we made. Unfortunately with lack of product knowledge I had to unload my vehicle from the dolly and leave it 2 states away from my destination and then return by Greyhound to retrieve at a later date.

Corporate only wants to reimburse me for the dolly I didn’t ask for and the cleaning of the truck. Out of the $313.00 they charged my credit card they are only willing to give me $80 back. This is my first time renting from this company and absolutely my last. I will not recommend them to anyone in the future. If only they had given me the equipment I reserved in advance and had product knowledge to inform me on I would have been able to make my trip as planned with my vehicle in tow.

Original review: June 2, 2018

This is the worst and most unprofessional company ever. I reserved a truck for my moving 3 weeks before the moving day. I did it online and the night before my moving day the company contact me to let me know that they didn’t have any truck available. The lady with a terrible attitude said that is not her fault. That I have to go online and switch the pick up location. So I did that and In the morning another person call me an hour before I was supposed to pick up the truck to let me know that was no truck available in any store too. Sorry but I need to cancel my reservation. This company doesn’t care about customers services. They are the worst, be aware and stay away.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We picked up a truck July 8 2017. Today, June 1, 2018, we get a bill for $297, first time we’ve heard about this. When we picked up the truck nearly a year ago, we drove it 20 minutes to the location. Called and reported a flat to this location. We called and asked if we could return it and get another truck. None were available we were told. They sent someone out to fix it except they didn't get the repair right. The whole 6 hour drive from Kentucky to Missouri, we had to stop and put air in the tire.

When we turned in the truck here in Rolla, we told them about the problem so no one would undergo this. So now, nearly a year later, we get a bill for this amount to fix a flat. $50 of that goes to the claims company for administration. We called our drop off location here in town, who told us to call the company's 800 number. Did, couldn't help. Instead, was told to email the corporate office, that there was no phone number. So am emailing this. To bill us nearly a year later and for a nail in the tire after we had literally just driven such a short distance from the rental location? And for this amount of money?

Original review: May 31, 2018

AVIS BUDGET LEFT MY FAMILY TO DIE - The title is not meant to be dramatic. It’s true. My family rented an Avis Rental truck in order to get to my wife to her new job as a doctor. The plan is that my wife, 18 month baby and I will drive a half day in order to arrive at our new home. After insurance, we paid nearly 2K to drive a banged up truck with all our things it took us days to pack for a 13 hour drive. Near hour 4 of our drive, lights start flashing on the dashboard. We pull to the nearest hotel and report it to Avis. So begins the painful saga.

First, after an hour, two kind tow-truck members from an outside company come to help via Budget Rental’s request. They assess that the truck has water in the Diesel Exhaust Fluid line, and will not work. I explain that we have a tired baby, reserved movers for the next day to help unpack, and that my wife needs to be at the hospital the day after to start her career. The tow-truck drivers explain the situation to Avis Budget, and offer to tow the truck the remaining 8 hours, and then repair it. Avis Budget Rentals refuses, instead saying they’ll send a replacement truck, but give no E.T.A. The tow-truck drivers explain on our behalf that everything we packed for the last few days will need to be taken out of our 26 foot truck to a new one in the current torrential downpour. Avis Budget Rental doesn’t care. The tow-truck men apologize on Avis Budget Rental’s behalf and let me know there’s nothing they can do.

I call Avis Budget Rental, begging them to help. I’m told by the Customer Service rep., “I’ve been working here for some time. We aren’t going to tow the truck to your new home. You’ll wait and we will contact you when we have replacement.” I ask to speak to a manager, and after a significant wait, am told there’s no manager in the rep’s building. The rep. says she can send me to Customer Service somewhere else, but when she transfers me, I’m hung up on. I call back. No one seems to care, telling me to hang tight. I wait two hours, then three hours. I call Customer Service and Roadside.

I’m told they are still working on finding a replacement truck for me. I ask how will we move all of the tightly placed boxes, roped up furniture and other valuables. The new rep. seems to get mad at me for asking and says, “We have movers that do this for a living. You’ll be fine Sir.” I’m told I’ll get updates. I get one call. When I return it, no one knows who called me, and has no new updates. I call the office of where I rented the truck. They say sorry and that I should “really try to fight to get a discount once we get the truck back to our destination.” Finally, nearly 24 hours goes by, and here I am in a hotel, hoping someone will get back to me, while fearing that I’ll have to pay for canceled movers, and that my wife will possibly get in trouble with her new job because Avis Budget leaves us here in the middle of nowhere, with no resolution.

The moral of the story is don’t be like me. I’m still staring at my phone, hoping for more calls. I’ve made dozens, only to reach dead end after dead end. I can’t speak to managers, there’s no updates, and I’m always just told they're working on it. After the hotel meals, and other expenses, Will our possessions be damaged or even moved for that matter? Who knows. I’ll be left with nothing but a hard lesson. NEVER GIVE BUSINESS TO AVIS BUDGET RENTAL. Please, learn from one disgusted, abandoned customer left to die.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Like prior reviewers have stated about making the online reservation only to show up at the location and have them say they don't have the correct size or any truck available; I had the same issue. As far as my experience goes I went to the location from my online reservation only to be told that they had no trucks at all. The lady was rude and pretty much just wanted us to go away. No help at all. I went and found a different truck rental company (Penske). However, 5 days later I see a charge from Budget Truck on my bank statement for 50 dollars saying "no show". I have disputed the charge through my bank, and emailed the company about the charge. Don't use this company! I urge others that have to comb through their bank statements to verify they weren't charged as well for services not received.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Budget’s online system tricks customers into believing they have a truck rental reservation, but the trucks are NOT available. Like the many dissatisfied customers below, I am appalled by Budget's bait and switch tactics. Much like an airline overselling seats, Budget fails to keep its promises. It's all about their bottom line and NOT about your plans, your family, your move and your money! I reserved a 16-foot truck online. The truck rental place called me on the morning of the rental to say that he did not have a 16 foot, or a 12 foot, or any truck at all to rent me! He expressed his frustration with Budget allowing such erroneous reservations, which he said “Does this all the time.”

This same anger and frustration was expressed by the 3 other Budget truck rental locations I contacted that morning. Every single location showed that a 16 foot truck was available online – but when I called them, they had NO trucks of any size. The only reason I was able to rent a truck from your Norwalk, CT location was because the dispatcher was kind enough to call me back when she got an unexpected cancellation. I needed a 16-foot truck. I had made the measurements and knew exactly what I needed. Now I must travel 6 HOURS RT to pick up these few items, forcing me to lose another day at work and to spend additional time and money, all because of Budget’s faulty reservation system. AVOID BUDGET AT ALL COSTS!!!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Awful experience. Much like other reviews-- I received a phone call thirty minutes before I was supposed to pick up the 26' truck. They cancelled truck. They were not too concerned about the impact it caused. I was shocked, as we had movers ready. Their only response was--that is the way the system works, we can't do much about it, you don't have a truck. I recommend not to rent from Budget.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information