1.03/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

Budget Truck Rental Reviews

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I went online 11/8/19 and rented a 16' truck for pick up 11/16/19. On 11/15/19 less than 24 hours before my scheduled pick up.. I received call from dealer that there was not a truck available. He advised he was just a lot for pick up and drop off any arrangements go thru Budget. I called Budget customer service and was told a manager would call me within 2 hrs. 3 hours later no call back. I called again and 1 hr later I received a call that I could have a 12' truck if I drove from Charlotte to Winston Salem which would have been 86 miles and 1 hr and 45 minutes away. Otherwise they would just cancel my reservation. Just like that.

If I had not kept my commitment and cancelled less than 48 hours I would have still had to pay the entire cost, yet they can cancel with no monetary compensation. I then find out the reason they have no trucks... They rented them to UPS for their Christmas season deliveries.... with no regard for people that had confirmed rental agreements. I have already hired people to load and unload and I am now scrambling to find an available truck thru another agency, which I am sure I will have to pay a premium with such short notice.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Budget rental trucks does NOT guarantee your reservation. I found a 16' rental for half the cost by detouring to get my truck. I made the reservation the 5th for 15th. They cancelled today the 14th through email the NIGHT I leave to drive and get the truck. They gave me 1 option of cover in $250 for a rental elsewhere when that won't even remotely make up for the cost elsewhere. We found that truck for 428 and 250 for the lowest local truck will still cost me at least half a grand more IF there is one available because even a week ago was difficult to locate a truck. Budgets excuse? "Our truck reservations aren't guaranteed."

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Budget rent a truck is the worst of the. I had a confirmation booked order since Wednesday of this week. Today I went to pick up the truck on the Saturday at 8 in the morning as detailed in the instructions. When I got to the location the lines were horrific. We saw one truck outside of the parking lot thinking oh boy that's our truck. Although it appear to be bigger than what we had ordered. We had personally scheduled people to help us move today. Well that went out the window. Besides spending an hour in line when we got to the counter the young lady said, "Truck. Oh I don't know about trucks. We'll have to find somebody that knows about trucks. Wait here." 20 minutes later some guy shows up who is running back and forth. We had seen him and says, "Truck. We don't have a truck. We haven't had trucks in months. The one that's outside in our lot hasn't worked in months." Awful. Yes you heard me correctly. Hasn't worked in months.

So I call their customer service department I was told I would have to wait two hours to get on the phone with the supervisor. Meanwhile I call another rental company. When he finally called me and I told him I didn't need his services any longer. He said, "Oh okay. Find you went with a competitor." And I said, "Yes as you have ruined half of my day today. What are you going to do about that?" "There's nothing I can do," he said, "You went with a competitor." So I'm the bad guy here but yet you gave me a confirmation, had me wake up early to be there at 8 in the morning only to find out this location never has trucks available. He responded yep.

What kind of company and employees does this company have? Not even a "I am sorry." Not even "I apologize." Not even "Here's a credit." This has been the worst experience ever when it comes to renting a truck. Doesn't matter that you've done it in advance with a confirmation with a confirmation number or anything that doesn't matter to them. Nor the fact that they wasted half of my entire morning.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Tried to overcharge us for an entire extra day because we forgot to take a lock off of the truck that they didn’t even inspect until the next day. My husband responded promptly and addressed the issue when they called. They provided us with NO RECEIPT or itemized list of any issues. They took it upon themselves to charge us extra without any authorization or Notification. I had to call the 800 number TWICE to request my own receipt after days. When I tried to address the issue with the store, the man was rude, coming up with false stories/accusations. Claiming all kinds of off the wall things aside from the face that he didn’t inspect his own truck, provide notification or receipts. Customer service reps were just as rude and unhelpful and it took me 3 calls within an hour to get to a supervisor. Absolutely ridiculous and terrible company. Out to scam money for you. STAY AWAY from the Preston rd- Dallas location for sure.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

If I could give no stars to Budget I would. I had the worst experience of my life with Budget and I am still going through this nightmare almost two months later. First of all, they gave me a car dolly with bald tires and a nail in the tire. They actually let it off their property. I had to get the roadside assistance before I even started moving and the tire guy was actually surprised that they let the dolly go with such a bad tire. Second, the seat was broken exposing the bar underneath the driver's seat and they put a blanket on the seat to remedy the problem. I drove 24hrs with a bar on my backside. I was in serious pain for the next week.

Third, the Scion XB, that was on the car dolly almost fell off the dolly. We had to reset the car 3 times on the trip to Florida. We finally called to see if they could tell us what was wrong. The guy that met us in Mobile said that the car had to be up against the metal front. He didn't do anything to help he just verbally told me what was wrong. In the morning, after resetting the car for the fourth time, we discovered that his advice was wrong because the car shifted again on the final leg of the trip, yet now we have to pay for that because Budget made a claim. They said that the vehicle was damaged and sent us the bill for the guy doing nothing.

Fourth, when I dropped off the dolly the "not so nice man" at the drop off location insulted my ability to drive a dolly, because I couldn't back the dolly into a tight little spot down a long alley. As I said, this was the worst experience I have ever had. By the way, I spoke to a customer service rep and explained all this stuff and I never heard anything back. PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE GO WITH ANOTHER COMPANY. Look at the reviews. 2.2 is not good. Go with U-HAUL you will be much happier with your experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

"BUDGET", SAYS NO ONE! I made a reservation in March for a 12 foot truck rental. I took a five hour bus ride to pick up the RESERVED rental. Upon arrival, Budget offered me a 26 ft, it was only truck on the lot. I was going to attempt it on the mountain roads I would need to navigate but being a small women, I could not reach the pedals. Stuck in Albany in nasty bus station on the phone for hours trying to resolve the issue. I was told I needed to cancel the reservation and make a new one to get a 12 ft truck. I did as instructed. Waited for a call back for an hour. In between I was still calling to troubleshoot, I knew I was being given inaccurate information. I was told to save my receipts and I would be reimbursed by two separate customer service representatives.

I knew it was a lie but I just wanted to resolve the issue and get on the road. In the litany of lies and phone calls to Budget and the abuse, I endured by the representative, VINCENT as well as being stranded in a strange city in an unsafe area. I am stuck here. Vincent from customer service, was horrible yelled at me, yelled over me, and would not listen. This was the amazingly deplorable inter-action I have ever had with any company or service department in my 55 years on earth. As they continued to promise to get me truck at 6:30 pm and I know all the lots are closed for pick ups in that area, then yelled at me again and said that they do not guarantee a truck with 2 hour advanced reservation.

As I tried to explain I actually made the reservation two weeks ago and was told to cancel and re make it. That is when Vincent decided yelling over me was the best way to handle this situation. I decided to end this ridiculous, abusive, unproductive and expensive relationship with Budget. I sucked it up, and was grateful I had brought a toothbrush. My budget now over 400.00 more than estimated due to taxis and a hotel room and food. I called Penske at 630 pm, OMG, thank you PENSKE. I made the reservation in less than ten minutes for a 12 ft truck for the next day. I paid about 150.00 more for the rental, no hassles, they did not leave me stranded in a horrible part of town.

The pick up office was clean, the Truck was clean, the staff was amazing. Unlike BUDGET, the Budget pick up location office barely had an office, no waiting room and was surrounded by abandoned buildings and homeless people. Moving is stressful. Budget doesn't care about you or your moving issues. GO to anyone else. Budget's customer service people will treat you like crap, the equivalent to a bill collector disposition. Like they are doing you a favor by answering the phone. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Worst experience of my life. I would never recommend this company. I booked my truck a month and half prior to my move and they called me 2 days before to tell me they were cancelling my reservation because they can't get a truck. When I was given the corporate phone number they took my information and told me one of the inventory managers would be giving me a call back within 15 minutes to 2 hours. I waited two and a half hours and never received a call back. I called them again and was transfer to a supervisor. They informed me that I would get a call from an inventory manager, and someone would call me back, her name was Tonya.

I never received any calls, So I called back a Third time and talked to the Supervisor John who informed me that they did not even go to every avenue to fix this issue and I would get a call back before 5. I did but it was from someone who said I was called back and didn't answer, which is a complete lie since I have had my phone in my Hand all day waiting for their call. That inventory manager's name was Patrick. How in the world is a company as incompetent as this still in business baffles me. If you get persuaded to use this company because of the discount they offer do not fall for it. I called several other local truck company and thankfully I was able to find a backup. I just cant believe how terrible the customer service is for this company. Make sure to share.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

So we have to move from NJ to MD and they are suppose to come at 9:00 am to load 1 bedroom appt things, instead they came at 2:00 and that too after 5 phone calls. Movers are lazy and took 2 hours to load 1 bedroom items. Due to their delay we can't reach MD on time and have to unload next day. These People put $200 extra on our credit card asking for overnight stay which we refuse as it's their fault being late. So we carry on the unloading next day. Now after 2 days we came to know that our card is charged $200 extra. These people have no respect for time. They made you pay more. Incompetent untrustful company. Beware of them.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

Worst experience ever and never have gone back to Budget since then. Since we move every year, they lost $$$ from repeat business. They are a horrible company and should not be in business. Here is what happened: I reserved a 12 feet truck over 6 weeks in advance of my move. Made my reservations over the web on 10/11/2016, and received an email confirmation. A few days before my move I received another email confirming my reservation. I placed a call into Budget Truck Rental on Monday, Nov. 21, 2016 to confirm truck availability. Made all the necessary arrangements including movers, airfare, hotel, and car rental. I flew in from Houston, TX to Phoenix, AZ to begin the move on Friday, Nov. 25, 2016. I was utterly shocked and stunned that my move was made surrounded with the availability of a truck and Larry from Budget contacted me 2 1/2 hours before that Budget didn’t have a truck and there was nothing he can do about it.

Still shocked to hear this, I drove to the Budget site to be told by Alan that no truck has become available. He informed me it's normal practice to give preference to corporations over individual customers. An example he stated is that if a truck becomes available and Budget calls me and I am heading over to pick up, while at the same time someone from FedEx stops in, he has the right to give the truck to Fedex, regardless if I have a reservation and Fedex doesn't. This is how the truck rental business works. What is the purpose of making a reservation if they can’t guarantee having a truck available and contacting me couple hours before picking it up ???

This experience has caused a tremendous amount stress, additional aggravation, wasted time, and money. I ended up going to a reliable company PENSKE, spending more money on a truck, spending more money on movers, and wasted time because of Budget poor business practice. Budget did nothing to compensate for the stress, money, and loss of time. Budget lost me as a customer. Not only did it lose me as a customer, I will inform my employer to blacklist Budget Rental. Their business practice made them lose thousands of dollars and the company I work for removed them from their vendor list. Hope Budget Truck Rental goes out of business!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

One of the worst experiences of my life. Next time I’ll definitely pay the difference for a Uhaul or even a Penske truck. First of all, I booked the reservation nearly 2 months in advance using the main website for a move from PA to GA. Come the day of my pickup (Sunday October 13), I realize the place I’m supposed to pick up the truck from isn’t even OPEN on Sundays. So why did the site allow me to book it on a Sunday!?!

I call the 800 number and am told “I’m sorry but I can’t sympathize with you” and the best they can do is have a manager call me “maybe tomorrow before 9”. And that I would have to drive to the next nearest location (nearly 60 miles away). After about ten minutes of repeated responses and zero sympathy, I asked the guy if he’d humor me and at least PRETEND to give a **.

Anyways, I tried calling the pickup location which was closed, and I seriously lucked out because the guy happened to be in the shop to grab some paperwork or something right when I decided I’d try calling for the heck of it. So the guy tells me he can’t help me because he is going to be leaving for church and I’m quote “messing with God’s time”.... So after telling me he can’t help, he calls back a few minutes later and says if I can get there in 15 minutes that he’d help me. I don’t have a car mind you, which made the whole “picking up a car at the next nearest location” impossible, and was relying on a friend to get me to the destination.

We get there and the guy is a complete jerk, making prejudice statements and stereotyping women. He made it very clear how much I was inconveniencing him, and the entire experience was bs. The truck drove HORRIBLY and handled like crap. Anything over 70 mph and the steering wheel shook. Moving is stressful enough as it is, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY FOR LITERALLY AAAANYTHING OTHER THAN A BUDGET TRUCK.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information