Ship Your Car

Great Service. Transparent Pricing. Clean Car Guarantee.

Get a Free Quote
1.05/5

Compare Movers

Ship Your Car

Great Service. Transparent Pricing. Clean Car Guarantee.

Get a Free Quote

668 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

Rented a one way trip from Detroit to Appleton and I'm not sure how I made it in one piece. Right of the bat...tire pressure sensor was on...check air no big deal, sensor was bad. Then it began to rain and continued for 6 hours, just so happens this van was not watertight and leaked between the cab and the box directly down my back. The use of towels and bags and anything else I could find was used to prevent the torture...brutal. Then the handling on the truck was questionable. I wasn't sure if it was because of the winds or what but I toughed through it going 55 mph in 75mph interstate, which is unsafe to begin with. Finally when the wind died down and I stopped for fuel. I did a basic wheel bearing check and come to find out both front wheel bearings were shot. Not only that but I could turn the wheel from 11-1 o’clock and the truck would drive straight, not safe in any sense of the manner.

I call and submit my comments and they indicated they would take care of me and they rely purely on customer complaints of their vehicles because they do not actually do mechanical checks of them. They offered a 10% discount which was garbage and here we are. Budget does not perform maintenance on their vehicles unless someone goes through the near death experience and lets them know their vehicle is unsafe. Budget wants your money, doesn't a rats about your safety. The other thing that’s absolutely absurd is these guys had the audacity to tell me they rented this truck out already. Someone is going to get hurt with the Budget mentality. DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had a reservation for Tuesday March 5th, 2019 at 8:30am in Simi Valley California for a 26' truck. I was sent a email on February 12th 2019 telling me my reservation number and information. I received a follow-up email on March 2nd confirming the time and pick up again. On March 4th at approximately 4:23pm I received a call from the budget office telling my that my 8:30am truck reservation wouldn't be arriving till 3:00pm. This is after I had already made arrangements for the movers I hired to be in Oxnard California to meet me at 9:30am. When I spoke to the person at the office (I didn't not get his name) I informed him that this would be unacceptable as the reservation was for 8:30am and I had made plans accordingly.

He told me he was only delivering the message and could not do anything about it. I told him that I would like to speak to a manager or supervisor. He said there was no one there but he would call his manager and inform him of the situation. I called back a little less than a hour later at 5:13pm to see if the manager was back in the office since he had not called me yet. The same person I spoke to said he had not returned but that he would call and text him to make sure he got the message about my truck not being here on time the next day. I called back at 6:01pm and was told again that the message was given to whoever it was needed to be given to but I did not get a phone call.

I finally called the Budget National Reservation Hotline around 7:03pm since the local office had already closed to try and get this resolved. I spoke with a Reyna ** who was singularly unhelpful. I fully explained the situation to her and she said that there was a truck available in Sun City which is only 129 miles away through some of the heaviest traffic in the U.S. I told her that this would not be ok and something else needed to be done. She told me that I would have to contact the office where I was going to pick up the truck (the one that was already closed), and speak to the manager (the one who had not called me back as of almost 3 hours now) and have him try and do something.

I asked her if she had the manager's personal cell or home number to get in touch with him and she said no. I then asked her that the only way to resolve this was to call a branch that was already closed, and speak to a manager whose number I did not have and that she could not give me, that this was the way to fix this to which she said yes. Well to my credit I kept my cool after this Catch-22/Kafkaesque answer I got. The only bright spot about this whole mess was a Budget worker named Fabricio who called about a 8:16am Tuesday morning and said they would have a truck ready at 11:00am. He told me he felt badly about a customer being treated this way and somehow he was able to come up with a truck.

This is after I had already called the movers to change the time and get charged a penalty for "cancelling". I was able to finally pick up the truck but I have to say the amount of stress and trouble I had to go through to cancel then get my movers back, plus the delay in start time for me to get on the road to Georgia was unbelievable (half a travel day). This was definitely one of the worst cases of customer service I have ever encountered with a nationwide business such as yours. I will definitely not be recommending Budget to any family or friends and will definitely be going out of my way to tell them my horror story with your company.

What can we do to help resolve the situation?: Give Fabricio a raise or a promotion. I don't know how to resolve this as I've never run into a situation like this before. I would think paying for the "cancellation" fee or refunding some of the cost of the truck would go a long way in helping this situation. Quite honestly, I can't remember the last time I have been this angry with a company. Who calls the day prior to tell someone that their moving truck will be 6 hours late?! I haven't even done my Yelp review yet as I will be turning in the truck Tuesday the 12th.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

On or about Feb. 21, 2019 I called concerned about a car dolly. We read that you can not back up and my concern was traveling so far that I might get into a situation that I would have to back up. The gentleman stated to me just go into a truck stop for gas. I explained to him that I was too old to take the car off if I was to get into a situation so I wanted to get a car carrier just to be safe for all concern. They had to bring a car carrier from another location.

On Feb 22, 2019 I came in to pick up the truck and carrier. Inspecting the truck and carrier I told the gentleman that the tire on the driver’s side back was bald spots and he stated that the other tire on that same side front also had a bald tire spot. He looked and stated that the tires where special heavy duty with extra tire so there was no need to worry. I stated to him that we were going across the states to GA and once again he stated that no worries that we wouldn’t have any issues.

They did fix the lights on the trailer due to the fact that the running lights weren’t working. He checked the car to make sure it was secure and I asked about the chain in the back. He stated it wasn’t needed and it was secure. I asked him about the other trailer and he stated if I was going to California that he would let me take it. It had a slow leak tire. Again, I asked about the tires and he assured me that they were special tires and NO WORRIES.

On Feb 24, 2019 appx 5:03pm after I stopped for gas and inspected the truck and trailer that I found that the 2 driver side tires where displaying metal. When I called and gave the information, I also stated to her that it was freezing weather and that I had my elderly mother so we needed help as soon as possible. All information was given and she was transferring me to customer service when we got disconnected. We finally got a call hours later saying that repair would be out 90 minutes. They finally came and I was told when he looked at time called was 7:46pm. They finally arrived and was finished after 10pm.

Turned on and off the truck due to the fact that on low it was so hot and when you turned it off it was immediately freezing. My mother who is elderly got sick. The next day went to fill and once again had metal showing on the other side. Called and again was down for hours. Both Good Year repair guys said that carrier should have not been left off the yard.

Both stated that the trailer would have not passed inspection and was surprised that your company knew that the tires were bald that would even allow it out. I asked them about what your employee said about being special tires. He said that there was no such thing and that you would of known that. Both companies stated the exact same thing. I left messages and was told someone would get back to me and no one did ever call back. I am accusing you of misrepresentation, failing to keep your equipment safe for public use. Violation of state laws and public safety. Please file a complaint with DMV in your state, Consumer affairs with the state and federal government. This company needs to investigated.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Rented a truck online the night before. Arrived at reservation time after a 25 minute drive there. Told the clerk I had a reservation for a 10 foot van. "We don't have one"...." I have a reservation" I answered. Her reply "Reservations are only good if we have the vehicle". (Afterwards I went online to review my reservation terms and conditions and it stated that a reservation is only a statement of what the customer prefers, that they have no obligation to honor it.)

After exchanging a few words with the clerk I left... As I walked out she asked me if I wanted to cancel my reservation… Really? While driving home I passed a U-Haul Truck Rental. I stopped in and 10 minutes later drove off in a 10-foot box van, the same type I ordered from Budget. This my second experience with Budget, one worse than the other. My advice... let the buyer beware, Budget is the absolute worst.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Without a doubt, the WORST experience I have EVER had with ANY business! I reserved a cargo van online. 500 Newtown Rd, Virginia Beach, VA was the only site listed that had the equipment I was requesting. I went to pick up the vehicle, and the desk agent was ranting over someone who was removing items from a storage unit. She told two other employees to "drive over and take care of that [expletive]!" After this, she began talking, and swapping stories with the people ahead of us in line. She said to them, "It takes a little longer to process a vehicle for walk-ins". She followed these people outside, and we waited for another 20 minutes.

My wife went out and asked her, "Could you please take time to take care of us?" and she answered, "No! I won't." as she hugged and kissed the "customers" ahead of us, before they drove off in a small moving truck. When she finally came back in, after a total of 40 minutes of waiting, I presented her with my reservation information. She then said, "I don't have a vehicle for you." I asked if she had a larger vehicle we could use at the same price, as is stated in the Budget Terms and Conditions. She said, "That [expletive] ain’t gonna happen!." (There were a 12 foot, 2 16 foot and 1 24 foot trucks in the parking lot.)

My wife asked, "So you don't have a vehicle for us, but a 'walk in' could get one?" The agent responded, "So, I guess minding your own business isn't a thing anymore?" My wife asked, "Isn't good customer service a thing?" The agent responded, "I hate dealing with people when they're little [expletive] like you! You need to get your [expletive] out of here right now!" I told her, "I'm not leaving here without a vehicle!” She then dialed 911 and reported that there were 'trespassers on her property'!! She told the police that she had a "family emergency" and had to close the office, but "these people just won't listen!" She started taking photos of my wife, yelling, "This will be in the police report!" So, my wife took a picture of her! (attached)

She went on raving, calling us names using foul and insulting language. I called Budget Customer Service number to report what was happening. The Customer Service agent said he would find us another vehicle in the area at the same price as the one I reserved, in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the agreement. But later stated that there were no vehicles available in the entire Hampton Roads region! The police arrived, and told us that the agent was within her rights to tell us to leave. So, we exited the building, but stayed in the parking lot, and waited for 20 minutes. She did not leave the building! I escalated my complaint to corporate "Customer Service”, who did not respond.

I finally had to call them, I asked for a written apology, and a free one-time rental as compensation. The response was, "I'm sincerely sorry. This should not have happened. But I don’t think you understand that we do not guarantee availability of trucks, we will not send you any form of correspondence, and we do not offer any form of consolation, or compensation to dissatisfied customers." Repeated over and over and over, a little louder each time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: March 4, 2019

I made a reservation to rent a truck from Budget in New York 5 days before I actually needed the truck. When I got to the location to pick it up they only had 1 truck left. I was told that it came in that morning and they were saving it just for me. While completing the paperwork I was informed that the box had a big hole in it. I asked for another truck and of course they said they did not have one. There actually was one sitting out front but they said they could not give that one to me it was reserved for someone else. This was at 5:00 pm in the evening so I had no other choice but to take the truck. They duct taped the hole in the box to keep the rain out. Yes they actually duct taped the hole so I could drive from New York to Virginia in the rain.

Once I left the shop I discovered the headlight was burnt out, the defrost didn't work, the windshield wipers were shot and the cab leaked water from all of the rain I had to drive through. When I called customer service to complain they offered me $50.00 to compensate me. They told me that since I didn't call roadside assistance and wait for them to come and fix things that should never have been an issue in the first place. They couldn't do anything further. I thought U-Haul was bad but Budget is actually worse. I would not recommend renting from them unless you have a lot of time to waste and you don't mind driving junk.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I went on Budget's site and filled out all the Field for a Truck Rental. They gave me a discount code and all looked good. I entered my card Info to finalize the transaction and then an Error popped up and I was kicked back to the starting page. When I tried again the price jumped by about $150 even with the discount code. I opened a chat with Budget and they were useless. I cleared my browser and tried again but the same thing happened. Went to U-Haul and breezed through it in 5 minutes. Looks very shady to me.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I rented a truck online, got a call at 4:43 pm the night before I was to pick up the truck. Didn't get the message, mind you I'm on my phone all the time. Get there and was told that the online reservation doesn't know what trucks they have at the location. The two people at the location didn't really care or want to help. Called the number they gave me and couldn't even get through to talk to someone about getting a truck from another location. Called U-Haul. They came through for me. They are a little more expensive but at least they have the truck you need.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I was lured into Budget Truck Rental by an advertised rental rate of $19.95 per day. Before leaving the office I had paid $127.81, which included insurance and an appliance dolly. About a month later, I received a bill from Budget for an additional $425 in damages to the truck. First of all, I had the truck for six hours and returned it in exactly the same condition I received it. Secondly, I purchased insurance, which I tend to think is specifically for covering damage, which again, there was none. I’m deeply disappointed in Budget’s mode of operandi. It is truly sad when a business resorts to deception and then attempt to pilfer their customers.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I rented a 26 foot truck for a cross country move. The truck I was shown was in good shape. I can't drive it so I hired a pro driver. I told him I had checked out the truck and it was in good shape. Truck gets loaded and driver takes off. Calls me 2 days later and says he will need chains and that the front tires were BALD. I called them and asked about chains and they said that we could NOT use chains. I complained about the bald tires and was hohummed about that. Truck got stuck in snow bank but we are lucky driver did not have a major accident.

Truck is still in snowbank now - 10 days later. They said I could call their tow dept and they would pull it out of snowbank but we would STILL have to drive it to the facility - where the tow truck comes from. They swapped trucks - gave me one with bald tires - and expect us to drive it without chains in snow and ice. VERY STUPID PEOPLE AT THIS COMPANY. Now will file small claims and consumer protection papers. They might have screwed all of these other people on here but not me.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I booked a truck. Drove from VA to Dundalk MD 3 hours and get there and they tell me the truck isn’t there and to call a 1800 number so I call and they tell me just because you book a truck online (and I called to confirm) you're not guaranteed a truck. He then asked me didn’t I read the guidelines and sent me to another person and then I was told they will call me IF they found a truck. It’s 6 hours later. Guess what? No call from them. I’m back in Virginia now thanks to Penske truck rent. THANK GOD. I will never attempt to use this company again. Please please beware.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

We returned this truck to Ft Knox Storage on Rolling Acres Road on Sunday Feb 3, 2019. This was one day early. We filled it up at the Murphy's station 2.5 miles from the dropoff. Saw we were being charged $87.30. Called. Got no answer but told to call 800 service number. The person there said they would credit me $30 fill fee but not fuel. I would need to speak to store. He tried to speak to them but no one answer phone. So I Called again. Left a message. No return call. Called again.

Spoke to a man that said only Fernando can assist. Told me to call him tomorrow. I said, "Leave him a message to call me." He did not call so I left another voice mail. Still no call. I called again and Fernando actually answered! Fernando when I finally got him on the phone said first it was empty, then said no 3/4 full. Then said he put in 8 gallons. He did no such thing. I have receipt. Asked if he had cameras, he says yes, I said check it for someone stealing the fuel.

I told him, "You need to refund me my money." He said he can. I need to call the 800 number. He is not able to reverse charges. On my word really. What a run around. This is plain fraudulent and very bad customer service. I called the number. They say they can give me $40. I said no I want all of it refunded. He said I have to call the store and put me on hold. Came back. No answer, "I am sorry. You have to go to the store." I said, "No you need to get my card credited." In the end he said I need to email this email. I expect a reply within 48 hours max.

In the meantime I have filed a dispute on my American Express. I will also be sure to rate your service as well as the location and budget as a whole online. These ratings are used to determine services we all seek. The originating store had an ok one but I will post this there as well as it is a Budget issue!!! I am very upset that your customer service people do so little and leave it to the customer when clearly there is an issue with your location employees! Shut them down!!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

So I recently rented from them and I was told once I bring the truck back I would have my deposit returned. I called the number that the woman at the front desk circled and explained to me to call and someone would go where I left the truck to inspect it then my deposit would be released. The same woman I spoke to then stated she never told me that, argued that they don't give deposits back the same day, it takes 2 to 3 days and to check their terms and conditions... I did it. Clearly states the $150 goes back on as soon as you return the truck. I won't go back to this company that don't even follow their own terms and conditions.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

NEVER EVER rent anything from Budget. They tried to state I drove 1200 miles than I did and tried to charge my card over 1000.00 dollars. My credit card company gave me the money back immediately, stating Budget does this constantly. Budget eventually relented and admitted that the odometer reading was recorded incorrectly. They refused to provide me with a refund in the full amount after making me spend 10+ hours on the phone. They also refused to give me back the gas deposit until I spent another 2 hours on the phone. To top it all off I found dead bedbugs in the truck so all my stuff had to spend a few days in the yard under a tarp in freezing temps before I could bring it into my house. This company is operated by scammers and they are utter and complete jerks if you have a problem. I will spend the rest of my life telling anyone that will listen to not do business with Budget for any reason.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

DO NOT EVER RENT WITH BUDGET! The truck dispatched to me was held together with zip ties! Could have been seriously hurt when it broke down while driving, then refused to have it towed or replacement sent. Had to drive it myself to a repair shop losing almost 50% of my move time and the compensation offered was a fraction of what it cost me. They do not value your business or your safety as a customer.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I wish I could post a picture of the broke down piece of crap Budget rented my son to drive over 1000 miles in! It doesn't even have their name on it! When he got there they told him that towing was NOT covered in his rental amount. When he showed them the reservation receipt, they said they didn’t have the equipment we reserved and charged an extra $200 for what they did have! CROOKS! DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET!

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Rented a Budget truck for one day so we could move from our apartment to our first house less than 20 miles round trip. Returned the truck the next morning way before our deadline. Paid 170 for the fully insured truck. A week or two later we’re billed 685 dollars for extending our rental. We dispute, our credit card company investigated and leaves us with we have to pay it because we agreed to let Budget charge our card so they can charge what they want. We proved that we could not have been there when they claimed we returned the truck many days later because we were both at work with verified pay stubs, work schedule and letters from our bosses affirming we were present. Budget is a greedy corporation and will not hesitate to screw you because they’re backed by our banks and buy enough influence in government to make fraud legal for them. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I implore you to please please avoid Budget Truck Rental. I have read a lot of reviews about those getting trucks in poor condition or other problems with the truck. To you I say, at least you got a truck! I reserved a truck online 3 weeks ahead of time. At the time of the reservation I received an email confirmation, everything looked good. Two days before moving day I received another email confirmation, everything looked good. The morning of the move, we arrive at the store at 8:00 AM which was clearly marked on both emails as the opening time. I had even looked online at the store hours for that specific location and it showed it opened at 8:00 AM. We arrive at the store at 8:00 AM only to find a hand-scrawled note on the door that says they do not open until 9:00 AM. Holy crap, we have a graduation to get to that morning, that's why we want to pick up the truck at 8:00 AM.

Luckily, while we are standing at the door evaluating our options, the operator comes cruising in and says we are lucky he got in early this morning, he usually does not get there until 9:00 AM. He says, "What are you doing here?" We show him our email reservation. He says, "I do not know anything about that and we do not have any trucks available". He goes and checks his "system" and swears there are no reservations on his "system". We show him both confirmation emails, he is sorry, he says he knows nothing about the reservation. So we go away with no truck. Luckily U-Haul had one truck left that morning and they could help us out. And for a finishing touch, 3 days later I get a $50 charge on my credit card from, guess who, Budget Truck Rental, for a "No Show" charge. Outrageous!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am writing this letter out of total dissatisfaction with Budget Truck Rental. I picked up the 16' truck and car dolly from Orange City, Fl on 10/29/2018. From the time my wife and I arrived we were treated less than favorable. I went inside and checked in with the agent. Her attitude came across as if I was interrupting her. I gave her my information and we proceeded to go through the process. She went outside and checked the vehicle and dolly. She came back and told me I could do a walk around if I wanted to. I took the paper and did my inspection. There was a discrepancy about the gas because the tank was not full but she marked it as full. That issue was never resolved. I pulled the truck to the front. My wife brought it to my attention that the running lights were not on.

I checked the lights and found the parking lights and running lights to not be functioning. My wife went inside to address the agent and her response was, "What do you want me to do?" She called a maintenance man named Nelson and he proceeded to tell us that it was normal that this is not a commercial truck and there are no lights. I have rented many trucks so I knew it was wrong. Then the left fender on the car dolly was hanging by 1 bolt. Nelson told us that it would be ok. After getting tired and losing time and a phone call to customer service, we headed home to load.

I called customer service after I arrived home and they told me there is a problem with the lights and they connected me to roadside assistance. They sent us a company at 10 o'clock that night. They did find that there was an electrical problem and it was repaired. We now had running lights and parking lights. But we were delayed from leaving due to waiting for roadside assistance.

The next day (10/30/2018) when I went to load the car on the dolly all the tires were extremely low and one tire was to point of almost flat. I called customer service and it took roadside service 3 hours to come out. Upon inspection there was an issue with the tire and it was replaced. Also upon inspection the tires on the truck and trailer were 10-15lbs. low.

We finally were able to leave and head to Vancouver, Wa. While riding through Georgia in the rain, the passenger side windshield wiper arm literally fell off. Fortunately I was able to immediately exit the highway and pull in a gas station. I called roadside assistance and 2 hours later both wipers were replaced and I was back on the road.

Maintenance seems to be lacking heavily with your company. It is posted very clearly in the cab of the truck that the truck is to be serviced every 6000 miles. Well this truck upon me taking the vehicle had 110,000 miles. The last time the truck was serviced was 102,000 miles. If your trucks were being serviced properly the issues that I encountered would or may not have happened. All of these issues are Safety Issues. I am concerned that safety is not important to your company. I feel as though you put my wife and I in danger.

I called about the headlights because of the poor vision at night. The lights are very yellow. The visibility at night was beyond unsafe. Roadside assistance had someone come out and adjust them. That did not fix the issue. Headlights over a period of time get old and lose their brightness. These headlights were so old it was frightening at times. I called Budget again in New Mexico and they set up for a company to come out. Well the company that called me was rude and told me that they weren't coming out to replace them. And they never did.

Finally after arriving in Washington and unloading, apparently the front right corner of the truck was leaking and my dining room table (wood) was soaking wet and damaged. I filed a claim about that. I would think that all vehicles should be cleaned. The inside of the cab was so nasty and dirty, it makes me wonder how you guys can send out a vehicle like that. And then it was ants everywhere in the cab. I had to purchase Raid in order to get rid of them. I have attached a picture of the towels that I used to clean the inside of the cab. The towels were new when I started.

In closing, Budget made this move just horrible. From the terrible customer service, to the safety issues, to just the lack of customer concern. I have been told that I will be compensated for all these issues. What I don't understand is that you guys take your money instantly after the completion of the reservation but have the nerve to tell me to wait 5-7 days for a response. I think that is unfair. I think your lack of concern for the customer is very evident. Budget put my wife and I through a terrible move. I have used you guys many times and won't ever use your company again. I am asking for a substantial refund. I believe in all fairness that I deserve that for what your company put us through. Put yourself in our shoes as customers. I look forward to your response.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Budget Truck and Rental should be out of business. I implore those reading this review to never use Budget. You are INFINITELY better off using Penske (for a cheaper option) or using the reliable U-Haul. Let me go into a little bit of detail. I booked a truck through Budget to move from one half of the country to the other. The drive was 20+ hours. Unfortunately, my move was due to a recent cancer diagnosis, as I was moving home to be closer to treatment and family. While I do not believe that necessarily entitles me to special treatment, I do think it warrants a little bit of empathy.

Fast forward to when I have the truck... the smell in the truck is BEYOND awful. I firmly believe it is the worst thing I have ever smelled. It was like a mix of mildew, diapers and a dead animal. The odor attached itself to EVERYTHING in the back of the truck, as well as the cab, which I was driving in for about 25 hours! One can imagine how frustrating this was, especially considering my circumstances.

I alerted Budget's Customer Service division as soon as the smell become too much to bear, and they put a note into the account. When I arrived at my destination, the smell was too potent on some of my items (especially clothing) and I had to throw several things out, which is a clear loss of money due to Budget not maintaining their equipment.

On top of all this, I returned the truck a DAY EARLY in my destination city, and was told there would be an extra charge for that of about $100. I did not understand and they said they were adding the fee for the last minute change. I explained that doesn't make sense, as my initially planned drop off location was not open on the day I returned the truck (Saturday) and wouldn't be open until Monday. I did not want to leave the key in a drop box, as I needed to explain to an employee the smell and show them. I called customer service immediately after drop-off to get compensation. I was unable to until "the reservation was closed". I called seven more times and they said every time that the reservation was not closed.

When my reservation was FINALLY closed on Wednesday (four days after drop off), I was able to discuss compensation options with Customer Service. I expected at least 50% considering the terrible conditions and loss of property. They offered $25. That amount doesn't even pay for 2 hours worth of gas. It was less than 5% of my total cost for the truck. I politely asked several times to multiple levels within customer service for a refund of the bogus $100 fee they stuck on me and ideally a little bit of money to replace my lost property. Their customer service managers were EXTREMELY curt and even after explaining my diagnosis, were extremely apathetic. At one point they said "After giving your situation extreme consideration, we do not believe any compensation over $50 is legitimate". They said that. To a cancer patient whose life they made miserable and whose property they ruined.

I am writing this review to hopefully persuade everyone reading to NEVER use Budget. I don't want to grandstand, but no one deserves that level of apathy and rudeness, let alone one going through cancer treatment. Budget will never see another cent from me, and with the way they treat their customers, I can only pray they go out of business.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We rented a truck from the Hickory North Carolina office and was given a truck with a check engine light already on. After we get home it broke down. Also two tires went flat on the set in our driveway waiting for a mechanic to come by and fix it. Took them almost one week to get somebody out there to fix it. Then he pumped up one tire, did not fix the check engine light, did not fix the other tire and left. I informed customer service. They said they would get someone out there. They never did. I end up having to pay another company $200 to have that truck removed from the yard before we incurred more charges for my former landlords.

After I get the truck towed to our storage facility we had to rent a U-Haul truck to get our remaining stuff from our home. While at our storage facility I parked both trucks back to back so no one would get into either truck to steal our stuff. Budget then had our U-Haul truck towed out of their way even though it was not in their way whatsoever and ended up doing over $15,000 worth of damage to our personal property inside the U-Haul truck and has never even tried to contact me. I have left multiple multiple multiple messages and no one has ever contacted me and they always give me some kind of running around every time I call their office. This is been going on for 6 months and I'm fed up then to top it all off when we got our bill they charged over $1,400 for a truck we never used and deducted from our bank account without our permission.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I rented a moving truck from Budget Rental. When I arrived home from there and started loading the truck discovered that the ramp was missing. I should have taken time to call them and let them know but was on a very tight schedule. When I returned the truck the guy did the usual walk around and ask me about the ramp. I informed him that a ramp was never on the truck. I called customer service and told them what had happened and of course it fell on deaf ears. Several days late a charge of (355.00) appeared on my credit card for the charge of the ramp. I feel I should not have to pay for something that I never received. I will never use Budget Rental Truck again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Price was more at time of pick-up than when booking over the phone even after asking if price included taxes and fees. Was told truck had a ramp when in fact, it did not. Cab leaked rainwater onto the passenger during a storm. Windshield wipers did not work. Cab says "quiet ride" which is a joke since I had to stop for ** after an hour because the driver door would not close properly and made the loudest whistling noise. Had to stop along the way at a budget rental because tire pressure light came on. Told employee about the noise and was told the passenger could tape the driver side door close to help with the sound.

Oh and tire pressure light was on the whole ride. Refueling was triple what I had expected to pay-I have made the same trip with Uhaul and Penske four times before-but the truck has over 120k miles so I guess I should have seen that coming. Drop off location was incorrect. Found out when I went to an empty building and called their customer service. Then when I expressed all my grievances to an employee and asked for a supervisor, the rep was rude and said no one was available.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Called for a truck rental price on Friday morning... The price was including taxes. When I arrived the amount was higher. Was told that I would have to call customer service. I was then told that I had to purchase the insurance or I could not rent the truck. I told him I had never paid for insurance with U-Haul. He said it changed a year ago & was required. So I was in need of truck so I paid for insurance. He handed me paperwork & said initial & sign. Not given chance to read. Then he took me to the truck. NEVER walked around it with me. Only opened door, wrote down mileage, told me to sign, handed me key & told me I was ready to go.

After driving all way from Asheville NC to Rossville GA. realized that I had no tail lights, no brake lights or turn signal on right rear. I called customer service to request money back on insurance since I was NEVER told that I could decline it. I signed the insurance paper with the understanding that I had no choice. The manager at customer service said because I signed it accepting the insurance. That they would not refund my money. I told him the only reason I signed was because I was told I had to.

I told him that I knew the phone call was being recorded & that I felt they owed me the insurance back, after all they had lied to me just to get me to take the insurance. I told him I was also recording the conversation. He said he didn't authorize me to record & hung up on me... If they was truthful & not deceiving & lying to sell their insurance...he would have cared about being recorded. SO RENTERS BEWARE. Budget should not even get a 1 star review.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

80 miles into a 800 mile relocation we had a serious Blowout on a Budget car carrier. We were towing behind a Budget 16 foot truck causing a near accident on a crowded freeway. Budget had the nerve to bill us for the repair plus an administrative fee totaling 350.00! All I have to communicate with is a third party collection firm that states they are not Budget and have a copy of a contract that states we must pay for a blow out that clearly was a defective tire.

I send the following demand back to the third party budget contracts with which explains our situation in more detail: "We take exception to the forwarded documentation of claim by your firm and further reserve our right to an equitable adjustment to recover cost incurred but not limited to loss of moving expenses, loss of equipment rental time, loss of beneficial use of rented equipment, and further considerations as allowed by laws of the State of Florida. So glad you contacted me. I was contemplating what we should do about the defective tire that blew out on interstate I-75 causing a delay in our travels and aforementioned losses incurred by my family. As indicated to you on the phone we only made it out of Naples Florida about 80 miles and the defective tire provided by Budget shredded to pieces nearly causing a multi-car pile up, as stated we barely made it off the travel lane where we sat for 2 hours inches from truck traffic.

Your firm is basing the subject claim on a tire repair bill as no one from Budget in Waynesville has any issue or has incurred any cost or cost of inspection, in other words the receiving Budget facility did not incur any inspection concerns. You do know it was a faulty tire that blew out on the interstate and that my disabled wife was forced to sit in the tow vehicle for two hours, she cannot walk, was unable to use a restroom or move out of harm's way. She was emotionally affected by this defective equipment failure which we shall address as our claim progresses. Please have your client retract this claim and order an immediate inspection and recertification of all vehicles currently leaving the Naples Florida operation. Your client in Naples deemed this vehicle safe to operate by signature and allowed the vehicle to leave the facility with defective equipment."

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Worse experience renting anything and the customer service dept is a joke. They are not professional in any way. They are liars and thieves. If you do rent expect extra charges including a common 82.00 fuel fee.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Rented a Budget truck for my move from Dallas, TX to NYC in August. Upon pick up, noticed there was over 160,000 miles on it. Figured a truck is a truck and set about my move. On my second day while driving through Virginia on a Friday afternoon close to 5:00 PM in a driving rain, the transmission torque converter failed. Was fortunate that a rest area was about 2 miles away and was able to limp to it on the shoulder and not get sideswiped by one of the many trucks using this interstate highway.

After talking with their roadside assistance "hotline", I had no way to believe that Budget was going to be able to get me a new truck in a reasonable amount of time late on a Friday in the middle of an area that was not largely populated. Wait 1 or 2 days or take the matter into my own hands? Fortunately a Home Depot was in the previous town 10 miles away and they rent Penske trucks. After a $40 Uber ride and Home Depot stays open until 8:00 PM, they had an identical truck for rent (with less than 20,000 miles to boot). Problem: It was over double the amount I had already paid Budget. You have to pay it.

I wrote to Budget and they would reimburse me for the amount of the Budget truck rented in Dallas. They would not reimburse me for the more expensive truck I was required to rent because their equipment was old and faulty. I eventually wrote the CEO of Budget / Avis group. I never had the courtesy of a reply email, call or letter. So, two issues with Budget: A: Old equipment being put on the road to consumers that faces the risk of failure on customers, B: Poor customer experience to try and make things right with the customer. I will always share my experience with Budget and only rent from them as a last, last resort.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

To start I will be as specific as I can with our experience. First we have moved numerous times in the last 4-5 years as I travel for work. We have always used U-Haul as they have always provided excellent service, equipment, and our overall experience with them has been wonderful. However, with Budget Truck that was not the case. We reserved our budget truck because the price was actually better this time around and we could use the savings.

Upon arriving to the pickup location, we felt pressured to purchase the insurance on the truck. It was not struck to my attention that it was a good idea until our review of the truck and our walk around. The truck right from the start was beat up pretty good, more than your typical rental truck and nothing like I have seen before. The rear was bent, support bars were busted, the license plate was also missing, only a small corner still attached. There was mud caked all over the steps and fuel tank area, the cargo are was filthy! Not dirty, but downright filthy! There was a puncture through the cargo wall to the outside. The cargo door rail was also busted! We did not have much of a choice given our time frame etc.

When I got into the cab it got even worse. The interior smelled awful, it looked like something literally exploded in the cab, stains all over the headliner, the seats, dash, floors, door panels were nasty! The steering wheel was sticky and the console was held together with tape!!! Upon arriving to our location we started to unload the truck come to find out the cargo lights did not work, so it was very dangerous for us trying to unload with no lights, the load shifted as the truck rides rough, so it was very scary trying to ensure neither of us got hurt and unloaded safely. We only had a 277 mile trip to make, the fuel said over 440 miles till empty. We stopped at 194 miles to put fuel in $60 worth, did not even give us a half tank. We drove the other 80 miles and put $40 more in the tank, the fuel cut off at the pump as if it was full. Upon getting back on the road it showed only 3/4 of a tank.

I was furious! Our card was maxed for our daily allowance with our personal bank, we could not put the last quarter tank in upon drop off. Today We just got a charge for $82?! For what I am guessing the be the 1/4 tank. The turn in contract shows the fuel level on pickup and fuel level on drop off and they were very close to the same mark. We did our part, we took the insurance, we put the fuel in, and the whole time it was fighting against us. There must be a way Budget Truck can make this right. It was unacceptable the condition of the truck they rented to us. I even took it upon my self to ask for someone to contact us on our contract during the turn in.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

To start I will be as specific as I can with our experience. First we have moved numerous times in the last 4-5 years as I travel for work. We have always used U-Haul as they have always provided excellent service, equipment, and our overall experience with them has been wonderful. However, with Budget Truck that was not the case. We reserved our Budget truck because the price was actually better this time around and we could use the savings. Upon arriving to the pickup location, we felt pressured to purchase the insurance on the truck. It was not struck to my attention that it was a good idea until our review of the truck and our walk around. The truck right from the start was beat up pretty good, more than your typical rental truck and nothing like I have seen before. The rear was bent, support bars were busted, the license plate was also missing, only a small corner still attached.

There was mud caked all over the steps and fuel tank area, the cargo area was filthy! Not dirty, but downright filthy! There was a puncture through the cargo wall to the outside. The cargo door rail was also busted! We did not have much of a choice given our time frame etc. When I got into the cab it got even worse. The interior smelled awful, it looked like something literally exploded in the cab, stains all over the headliner, the seats, dash, floors, door panels were nasty! The steering wheel was sticky and the console was held together with tape!!! Upon arriving to our location we started to unload the truck. Come to find out the cargo lights did not work, so it was very dangerous for us trying to unload with no lights, the load shifted as the truck rides rough, so it was very scary trying to ensure neither of us got hurt and unloaded safely.

We only had a 277 mile trip to make, the fuel said over 440 miles till empty. We stopped at 194 miles to put fuel in $60 worth, did not even give us a half tank. We drove the other 80 miles and put $40 more in the tank, the fuel cut off at the pump as if it was full. Upon getting back on the road it showed only 3/4 of a tank. I was furious! Our card was maxed for our daily allowance with our personal bank, we could not put the last quarter tank in upon drop off.

Today we just got a charge for $82?! For what? I am guessing the be the 1/4 tank. The turn in contract shows the fuel level on pickup and fuel level on drop off and they were very close to the same mark. We did our part, we took the insurance, we put the fuel in, and the whole time it was fighting against us. There must be a way Budget Truck can make this right. It was unacceptable the condition of the truck they rented to us. I even took it upon myself to ask for someone to contact us on our contract during the turn in.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I rented a 16' truck from Budget a few weeks ago and received great customer service from all of the employees that I met. I picked up the truck the evening before my move, Linda at the front desk was fast in getting me out the door and on my way! I didn't have any problems with the truck except it was smaller than what I needed and we had to make two trips to the Western Slope from Denver. That was totally our fault in misjudging the size. I called Budget when I realized this and they let me use the truck an extra day for only $5.50 more! Terry figured it out at the lowest possible price! I've waited till now to write a review thinking this can't be true, I'm sure I'll see an extra charge on my bank statement or something. But I did not. They kept their word and were the best company to work with!

Budget Truck Rental Company Information