1.00/5

Discover the right moving company for you

634 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

So my family & I (my husband, my 3 year old son, our one dog & two cats) are moving from Illinois to South Florida. Having a deadline by Tuesday, we were gonna drive straight through. We get to Manchester, TN & the truck's transmission shuts down. Barely making it to a hotel at 7 pm Sunday night, we called and waited to talk to someone for an hour, then waited another 3 hours waiting on the mechanic. Mind you we had to spend $125 on a hotel. Finally the mechanic comes out at 10:40 pm. Saying it was just a sensor, well next day (Monday) we leave at 5 am. 20 min into our drive the same thing happens. Now I’m stuck on the side of the highway with no AC, 2 cats, a dog and 3 year old. Beyond livid. As we still have 11 hours to go.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Today I was notified less than 24 hours before my move that Budget’s online reservation service overbooked their Halethorpe, MD location and they would not have a truck for me. They said I had to call your 1-(800) number to cancel or change because they don’t have the ability to do so. Customer Service wanted me to pay $50 to cancel the reservation within 48 hours even though they didn’t have the truck available. The only solution they offered was to change the location of truck pickup to one further south of my pickup.

This forced their system to charge me for two days instead of one. After 3 hours of being on the phone, the only solution offered was for me to rent the truck for two days and then call next week and request one day be reimbursed. Even though my original reservation was for only one day. I am currently serving active duty in the US Air Force and me and my fellow service members move frequently. At this current moment I would not recommend any service member to ever do business with Budget Truck Rental after my experience today.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

BUYER BEWARE! BUDGET gave me a truck with GRAFFITI all over one side! Then I was honked at and yelled at to leave the lot in Atlanta! Then the tumbler was BROKEN and the key was stuck! Then, DUE TO AN OVER-INFLATED TIRE, the TREAD BLEW on the freeway and the gas neck hung down. Dangerous. We were told we would be helped within 1 hour. It took 4 hours! I lost my help to unload and had to hire movers, costing me more money. I was told by Budget Customer Service I would be compensated within 3 business days. When returning the truck in the rain, it began RAINING on me from INSIDE THE TRUCK, because the seal was broken. Dangerous again.

Then, after returning the truck to this Knoxville location, I was told customer service would help me and compensate me within 3 business days. I called customer service, they said 5-7 business days. It's now been 11 days and I've heard nothing!! I was just transferred from person to person for an hour until I heard from an answering machine they were closed. BUDGET HAS BEEN A TOTAL NIGHTMARE. Negligent to the damage their truck could have caused. Terrible customer service and they keep lying to me. They say they want to take care of their customers and I keep being assured that I'll be reimbursed, but then I hear nothing back from them. What a terrible, dishonest company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We made a Budget Truck Rental reservation online about one week prior to our moving day. My husband arrived at the Columbus, Ohio location as scheduled and had to wait TWO HOURS just to check in with the one employee that was working there. After his extended wait, he was told that they overbooked their trucks for the weekend and that he would have to drive to a different location. He drove to the other location (about 25 minutes away) only to wait for another HOUR. When he finally reached the check-in desk, they too were oversold on trucks. He then had to drive to a third location (30 minutes away) to finally retrieve our reserved rental. They offered a 20% discount for the trouble but any company with basic customer service standards would have covered the entire bill. Worst truck rental experience ever.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We used Budget Rental to move our belongings from MN to Cali. The truck broke down in Iowa, made it 400 mi, only to sit all afternoon on hold, trying to get a human voice on the phone. Finally they send a service truck out to confirm, we are broke down, motor sounds like it's falling apart (I already told them this 3 hrs earlier, but I guess they needed to hear it from someone else. We were told we would get another truck sent out ASAP... We have checked into a motel, luckily we were close to one, and I'm still waiting on that other truck to come or at the very least, a phone call letting me know the status. Hopefully we get a call in the morning and can get going but from my experience so far, DO NOT use this company if you need to go far, if you break down somewhere on a Friday... You're on your own!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Rented a truck in advance for cleaning out my dad's estate. Drove four hours to pick up rental and waited an hour to get information that they had no truck for me AND charged me a no show fee. Do not rent from this company.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

SAVE MONEY AND POSSIBLY YOUR LIFE AND SOMEONE ELSE'S. Two issues but most importantly they gave my wife and I a truck that was in bad shape electronically. Four times during the rental the engine cut out on us. The first time scared the ** out of us! We were going slightly downhill and making a turn right to go towards the on ramp for the Ross Island Bridge. The engine cut off and thus no power to either the steering nor the brakes. We started to go in to the

oncoming traffic and we're very lucky the attentive drivers coming toward us were able to veer away. Because the power cut out and we were not prepared for this the steering all of a sudden became difficult and that is why we went in to the other lane and we were on a slight decline and since the brakes also had no power I had to push my back very hard in to the seat and use both legs to push on the brakes as hard as I could to stop the truck.

Once we did that we were able to put the truck in to park and start the engine again. This happened 3 more times. Fortunately we did not get hit and were able to restart the engine. One time it happened on the I-5 freeway but we were able to coast to the shoulder before needing to stop. Also, with about 60 miles left on the trip the check engine light came on and so now our stress level goes up worrying about what else will happen. I mean was it going to catch fire? So much

already was happening with this truck. When I returned the truck the man at the counter said he could not do anything and to call customer service after 48 hours so that the rental would be in their system. He did say he was going to take the truck out of service and have it checked out but he saw that the check engine light was on and suggested that maybe it was an electrical problem.

This was very important to us and reassuring because if someone else drove this truck and was harmed or hurt someone else we'd have to live with it. He also said he was not going to have me sign the credit receipt due to these problems. Since then we were offered only $30 for our terrifying experience, then $39, and they weren't going to give a dime more back. We knew we should have taken pictures or video's but when you're in a situation like that you don't think of those things. We just wanted to get back safely and in one piece for our Grandson to be born the following day. This horrible business must think that getting $230 is worth the bad press they will get. I'm wondering if the corporate office ever hears the complaints, or cares, if so how do they sleep at night. Like I said go somewhere else, clearly they don't care about your safety! I gave this shady operation 1 star because I couldn't give it zero.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

As a business account we reserved a truck three months in advance of an event. With a confirmation number we thought we were set. Two days prior to our business event we were told there was no truck and no solution. Certainly not a way to do business but reading these reviews seems this happens fairly often.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We reserved our moving truck two-three weeks in advance before coming to retrieve it. Get to the rental place and they tell us we need to fill out a form about personal insurance covering the truck. Expected. Our insurance didn’t cover anything so we were then informed we would need to pay an additional $300 just to even get into the truck because we were mandated to get insurance. Was never disclosed to us and we had talked to budge multiple times over the few weeks to make sure everything was in order. We called other branches and nothing could be done. We found a location that wouldn’t mandate insurance but cannot transfers trucks/carriers amongst each other. That makes no sense. Waste of time with this company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I made a reservation for a moving truck two weeks in advance, received confirmation and reminder emails from Budget, arrived at the designated location on time only to wait in line for 40 minutes then be informed that they had no truck for me. The less than helpful agent told me a customer service rep was working on finding one and would contact me shortly. I never heard from anyone. Do not rely on the Charlotte, NC area Budget Rental companies.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

2 Issues: First, I rented a moving truck a few months ago with a tow dolly. The dolly was defective, broke (not user error, but an actual piece of the dolly), and resulted in my car being dumped on the road while I was driving. Budget refused to pay for my car or admit fault. Stupid me. I let it go as a "one-off." Fast forward a few months, and I returned a truck on the day and time that I had reserved it (actually an hour early). I called the truck supplier to see if he had the truck, and he informed me that he did, but there were a bunch of people that needed trucks so he wasn't sure if he would have enough. I asked if it would be a problem if I came in a few hours early to pick it up. He said no, so I did. When I returned the truck an hour before the original reservation time, I was informed that I was late, and I was charged $127. Terrible company, terrible customer service. I hope they get what is coming to them.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Beware of the great deal you think you're getting with the 20% discount because they charge 91 dollars for their insurance and that is the cheap one... And if you return your truck a day late they charge you 85 dollars PLUS the insurance AGAIN!! It cost us 450 dollars for a 2 day move!!! We have learned our lesson and will only use U-Haul from now on but I don't want someone else to go through what we did so please beware!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I reserved a truck at the local Budget office a couple weeks before we needed it. I received two confirmations, including one a couple days before the rental. When I showed up to get the truck, there were two other people who had showed up and no trucks. There was nothing for me either. The Budget agent said the company overbooks all the time. Very common. We had 8 people ready to work - the day was wasted. No sympathy from Budget. Got a form letter from a "Level 2 Customer Service" rep who said the fine print in the reservation agreement says that trucks are not guaranteed. Well, my future business with Budget is certainly not guaranteed - and, in fact, will never happen again.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I booked a truck for an out of town move 3 wks in advance, even had a confirmation number. Drove 4 hrs on Friday night after work and arrived at 7:30 on a Saturday morning to pick up my truck. No trucks available, no apologies. I WILL NEVER SPEND ANY OF MY MONEY ON A BUDGET TRUCK RENTAL AND I URGE YOU TO DO THE SAME! THIS COMPANY SUCKS!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Horrible experience renting a truck from Budget; I will absolutely never use this company again. I rented a truck and tow dolly for a long distance move. When I went to pick up the truck, they informed me they didn't have a single tow dolly or car carrier to tow my car. (Even though I had reserved one months in advance.) The closest car carrier was 3 hours away. I agreed to drive the three hours, because thankfully, I had someone driving with me and we were willing to be flexible. When I got to that location, however, they told me the reservation was made incorrectly and there was no car carrier available for me. Sorting this out took over an hour. They gave me a tow dolly instead and assured me they would contact customer service and that I would receive reimbursement for the incompetence and inconvenience.

We found out a few hours into our drive that the tow dolly they gave us was defective. One of the wheel straps was broken, which meant we had to stop every two hours to re-strap the wheel. What was supposed to be a 15 hour drive took well over 20. And worse, my car slipped through the defective straps, denting my door, potentially damaging the underside of my car, and causing us to wait two hours for roadside assistance to help us remove the car from the trailer.

While this was all bad enough, I have to say that my experience with customer service was worse. I spent hours on the phone with a representative, only to be offered $20 for my inconvenience. This person was rude, unhelpful, and unable to understand the story I was communicating. After weeks of speaking with other customer service representatives, they increased the offer to $125. Considering I paid over $900 to rent their defective equipment, and to drive 3 hours just to pick up equipment that they failed to reserve, I find this amount entirely insufficient. Aside from my terrible moving experience, I have now spent hours on the phone with customer service and filing insurance claims to get my car fixed. (I purchased tow insurance but Budget is, unsurprisingly, making the claims process as difficult as possible.) In short, moving is stressful enough; don't add to your stress by using Budget.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We reserved a moving truck online but when we got there to pick it up there was no truck available. The representative in the office couldn't be bothered to help us find a replacement, essentially leaving us high and dry on our moving day. Per the reservation we should not have been charged for anything until the truck was picked up so imagine my surprise when a few days later there is a $50 charge on our account. Not the amount that the truck rental was for but an even $50. It makes me curious as to whether they do this to their customers regularly, hoping they don't notice. When I contacted them, they had no explanation as to why it happened but that it would take 5-7 business days for the money to be refunded. Shady business. Consumer beware!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Reserved a Budget rental truck one month in advance. Drove 3.5 hours to pick the truck up only to learn that all the rentals were taken out of service. The worker stated, "I just work here". Terrible customer service.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

In May 2018 we reserved a truck in Lawrence, KS so that we could move our son home from college. The night before they called and said that they didn't have our truck and that we would have to go to Grandview, MO to pick up a truck. Grandview, MO was about an hour from Lawrence. We ended up renting from U-Haul. This past Friday 8/17 we were going to move our son back to college and made the mistake of reserving with Budget again. At 7:38 am (our pick up time was 7:30) the local Budget (Tulsa, OK) called and said that they didn't have a truck for us.

I called Budget customer service and after a series of questions were answered I was told that I would receive a call within 15 minutes about another truck. One of the questions asked was about how far would I drive for another truck. I specifically said 10 miles and that I WOULD NOT go to Claremore, which would have been about a 30 minute drive. I received a call about an hour later saying that they had made a reservation in Claremore!!! We ended up renting with Penske and will NEVER, EVER even attempt a rental with Budget ever again.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

DO NOT USE Budget Truck Rental in Norman & OKC, OK!!! Our experience with them was extremely bad. Beware of their 20% off coupon! We rented a truck and tow dolly from the NW 39th Expressway location in Okc, OK. Within 20 miles of leaving Okc; one of the tow dolly tires burst out on I-40 highway & almost caused us to have a wreck. We had to wait 4 HOURS for a tow truck to come and assist us. We were forced to stay at a motel in Yukon, Ok that night. We were suppose to be in Albuquerque that night. Then to top it off the truck that we rented from this location broke down in Barstow, CA.

The yoke burst from its frame and fell on the hwy. We had to spend 2 nights in Barstow, have our contents moved to a different truck & waited on Budget to find us a new truck for 6 hours. Was on the phone for hours trying to get in touch with towing & talking with Budget Customer Service. I was given the runaround with customer service again and again; telling me that I needed to talk someone else. IT WAS A FREAKING NIGHTMARE. I will NEVER use Budget Truck Rental ever again!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Booked a rental truck that I would pick up in Dallas TX at Swift, picking up a boat, & that I would be dropping off in Las Vegas NV. When I arrived at the location to pick up the truck the guy (Noorla), said that I needed to have the optional insurance coverage. I stated that I booked it online, and it said the coverage was optional, and showed him on my email. Noorla said, I had to have it, and handed me a personal financial responsibility certificate form. I pointed out that on the bottom, it clearly states insurance is optional. He told me I was not getting the truck unless I paid for a coverage (in a condescending tone). I asked what was the cheapest coverage, he stated $275. I told him I'll do that one, but I'm going to fight it, when I get to Vegas, since it clearly states optional.

I was 1100 miles (18 hours) from home, and this guy strong armed me into picking an "optional" coverage that I didn't want nor need, to rent the truck. I spoke with the truck rental manager Morgan ** at the Las Vegas store, and explained the situation. She stated I was correct, in not having to have the optional coverage. Morgan stated that she would be filing a complaint about the situation, and she has heard many complaints about the Dallas dealers. I called customer service on 8-10, and was told to call back the next day. I called again on 8-11, and spoke with an agent, then I requested to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor Angel offered me a $30 inconvenience credit. I am not looking for a $30 credit, I want to be refunded the $275 optional coverage that I was forced to take. In order for the dealer to give me the truck that I rented.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I made a reservation with Budget because they were a little cheaper and offered a discount online and money was tight but ended up going to U-Haul anyway because once I got to Budget they said they were going to charge me an additional amount of money to have my mother drive instead of me which is something I've always done with U-Haul at no additional charge. So I said nevermind cancel the reservation and they said okay fine and never said they were going to charge me anything else.

Then I wake up a couple days later to find out they overdrafted my account $50 for a no-show when I actually DID show up and told them to cancel my reservation and they agreed without any additional fee so I threw a fit trying to contact them. Took me forever. Couldn't find my reservation number. Got on the phone with Gabriel who was a complete ** and did not help me at all. Finally got on the phone with a nice lady named Mary who helped refund the amount but it will still be five to seven business days until I will get it and I will have to pay overdraft fees!!! Do not rent a truck from them! 20% discount is not worth it. Go to U-Haul. They are amazing!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Rented a moving truck from this location and had a terrible experience from corporate after dropping off truck. On the way to our destination it rained twice for a total of three hours. The cab of the truck leaked the entire time. It was raining directly on the driver's head. He then had to sit in a soaking wet seat for over ten hours. Contacted corporate and their reimbursement offer for this was 90$ off the 600$ rental!!! Terrible trucks and terrible customer service. I will never rent anything from this company again and I will tell everyone I know about this heinous experience!!! If I could give negative stars I would. On top of the rain my husband had to deal with the truck. Hd a nasty shake at 65-70mph which made it difficult and even more uncomfortable to drive.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Please don't ever waste your time or money with this company. The entire experience from the rental to damage on my items has been miserable dealing with. Here are a few snapshots into my experience. First - when I went to pick up my rental at its location we quickly realized that it wasn't actually a place of business but rather there were budget trucks parked along the road at various businesses. I called the number of a guy who had called me the previous day to discuss the rental and simply told me to drive around until I found a certain number on the side of the truck. Once the truck was located, he told me that the keys were in the truck and that I was good to go.

There was no walkthrough of the previous damage or a note taken about how disgusting the interior was. The guy on the phone simply told me that because I had paid the outrageous $100 insurance fee that I wouldn't be responsible for anything. (I'm curious as to what happens to those that don't buy the insurance and there are previous dents all over the truck...) The guy then texted me a picture of the computer screen with my rental information. I should have known from this that my experience was going to be awful.

During the drive to my location we drove through a rainstorm where my dad (the driver) was drenched in the cab of the truck from a very obvious leak. When we arrived to the destination and started pulling out my items, both my couch and mattress (which were positioned towards the front of the truck near the cab) were soaking wet and had obvious stains. We took pictures of the couch but were unable to take a picture of the mattress since it was white. However, you could squeeze water out of the mattress and even when we had it rested on the back of the truck trying to determine what to do with it, it left a huge puddle behind.

I contacted the claims department (assuming that I would need to meet with someone in person to look at the damage) and was told I would hear back within 48-52 hours. I did not hear back from them until an entire week later which at that point, I no longer had immediate access to the couch and mattress. When the woman from claims finally called me and I explained the situation to her, she told me that they would likely not be able to do anything about my items without pictures (I did have just the picture of the couch). I explained to her how impossible it would be to take a picture of the mattress being as it is white the water was not visible however, to the touch it was very evident there had been water damage. If I had met with a claims person in person (which clearly this company avoids any in person interaction) then they would have been able to feel the water damage. She ended the conversation by "disconnecting the phone call."

In email, I told her just to proceed with the claim with just the couch since that is the only thing I had photo evidence of and I just received word that the claim could not be processed because the truck had been inspected and there was no leak. I am not sure how this could ever be possible being as that my dad was soaking wet from the drive and I have picture evidence of the couch receiving water damage. Moral of the story is I will NEVER do business with this company again and I highly recommend you stay away as well unless you want to deal with awful customer service and potential damage to your items.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Nothing better when your Budget truck break down and all your stuff is in it and it can't be moved. Started last night when Budget calls late, leaves a message saying, "No truck available. Sorry." I call. Store is closed 5 mins later. I put in a supervisor email, per customer service, says I'll get a call at 7 am. Yeah right. That didn't happen, so I transfer to several different people, finally told I would get a call in two hours or less. Of course two hours come and go, again I call and finally speak to someone which they say, they have transferred our reservations to Fulton Ave, but they don't open till 10 am. Meanwhile I call every moving truck, no trucks available. Finally, I call Fulton Ave. Ask if my reservations are there and she states no they have no trucks available! Now I'm beyond pissed. Supervisor calls back, states truck is ready for pick up at Fulton Ave, I say, "Nope just called them," they said they don't have a reservation or any trucks.

I was so done and hung up. Lady from Fulton Ave calls. Says they have our truck and it was transferred to them??? I picked up truck and we have it loaded. Go to shut everything then this ** happens, hydraulic lift gate stops working. I call Budget roadside on hold for 2 1/2 hours, transferred to person to person, hung up on, put on hold, customer service comes on 45 mins later, "Hello who you holding for," puts me on hold again after demanding supervisor and it still continues! Waiting 4 hours, stranded with two minors and a one week old infant. I was told I would be contacted with roadside assistant and hour later still nothing. I can't wait to write corporate!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I went with Budget because it had a lower price compared to U-Haul. I had rented a 26 ft truck, 16 ft truck and a auto carrier to get me to Arizona. When I get to Budget me and my sister pick up the 16 ft truck first take it to storage and load it. Then we go back and get the 26 ft truck and within 6 miles of leaving I noticed the truck had little to no power and the engine light was on so we turn around and return it. Luckily the retailer had another 26 ft truck so we get that truck take it to storage load it up and the next morning go have them hook up the auto trailer that will be hauling my 2018 Jeep Wrangler and we get that hooked up and so we now are on the road.

First night we land in Monroe, Louisiana when we got up to head out we noticed the trailers right wheel is flat and so I call Budget. I am informed that they have a roadside service and we need to contact them to get the tire fixed. Over 1 hour passes and a few calls later and we are told that there are others before us and they will get to us. 3 hours later the repairman comes and replaces the tire. What set me off was that Budget was the next exit over from where we were and it took 3 hours to get someone to fix the right tire. So we finally get on the road and we are 58 miles east of El Paso, Texas and I hear this loud sound look in the back and I can see smoke, lots of smoke so I pull over and as I get out my sister yells out there is a fire on the auto trailer.

She grabs all the water we had and she goes over to put out the fire on the trailer hauling my 2018 Jeep Wrangler. This time it looks as though the left tire on the auto trailer has been torn and caused by a blown tire. We are 78 miles from the Arizona border heading west on I-10 and 58 miles from El Paso, Tx., and the reason I know this to be fact is I was literally parked under mile marker 78 west bound. Anyway so I call Budget again and again I am told I need to get ahold of their roadside service. Now when we called the first time I was told it would be approx 40 minutes but I then started thinking about the first truck I originally was to pick up and the engine light being on and then the flat tire yesterday so I thought this is some sort of sign.

I decided to look at all the tires on the truck that was pulling my car and the 2 front tires were completely bald and one was showing tread, so I called them and said they needed to replace those as well. They told me it would be over an hour before they would get to me and the previous call I was told 40 minutes. It was not until 3 hours later that the repairman came and he fixed the 2 front tires. He then told me he could not fix the left tire because even thought the tire was popped it was in fact the axle that snapped and caught fire. Now it is 104 degrees and My sister, my dog and myself are extremely hot. We both were suffering headaches due to the heat in the desert and it took 3 hours to get to us. So when the repairman said he couldn't fix the axle we are told to wait with the truck so that nothing happens to their truck.

We again call Budget and the roadside service and again we are told multiple wait times. I said I felt we had priority over other callers due to the fact we had already waited 3 hours and the issue still had not been fixed. One time we called and they hadn't even called it in to dispatch after we made several calls. We were told we had to get back in line and wait our turn. Now by this time I am livid, boiling with rage and have a headache and my dog is vomiting because of the heat. Finally someone came out again and it was another 3 hours in the desert. 6 hours in total in 104 degrees in the desert. The man that came finally towed my car and told me to drive the truck and trailer to El Paso and I was even angrier because we were less than 58 miles from El Paso and they thought of their trucks verses human life or that of an animal.

So we get to another motel in El Paso and the tow service tells me and my sister that he will be back later that night or the next morning with another trailer and we can be on our way. We have really bad headaches and now diarrhea and we go to bed and the next morning the tow service guy calls and tells us that Budget decided to have the auto trailer welded back together and when it was fixed they would bring it to us so that we can leave. So I called around and found another Budget rental with 10 miles and they had a replacement trailer and all I had to do is call Budget and let them know. I call and they tell me that they will not approve that trailer and that they will fix the one that snapped and I would have to take that. I told them absolutely not! That would never happen after all that had occurred with this trailer.

So I had to rent another trailer to be delivered so that the tow service that Budget uses could properly hook it up and we could be on our way. We finally made it into Arizona and I called to talk with them over all that has transpired and I felt refunds/compensation should be offered. I was told they would give me $250 off the truck and pay 1 trailer $99. I told them that was an insult and that they thought more of their truck and little to none on life. I paid over $4,000 plus and they felt that 2 lives and an animal was only worth $350. I also will post this on Facebook and ask everyone to share because all they care about is money and nothing more.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I am a senior and I rented a Budget truck and dolly. Look the truck over not cleaned and worn as expected. Got home loading and inside cargo lights don't work. Also dolly strap broken and running light don't work. Man came to fix said the wiring inside cargo area too old can't fix. Fix light on dolly and put strap on car. Got loaded and headed out. Became dark. Turned on headlights and with every bump they went out then on. Raining so could not drive under circumstances. Had to wait for someone to come and fix the headlights. The man fixed one light because he did not have another bulb.

So drove with one good light to see. Placed strap on car tire on dolly because it came off again. Started down road and turned on air conditioner no air. It's 90+ outside. Pulled sun visor to cover eyes from sun and it fell off and hit me in the head. Drove 1200 miles with windows open and received a sunburn face. Got home and realized the strap holding my brand new car was completely gone from dolly. Contacted customer service and their reply $ 200.00 off $1400.00 rental of a 1/2 functional truck and $ 106 for dolly. I told them no this was a nightmare and I believe 1/2 refund is appropriate. They refused. They do not maintain their trucks. Also I had to buy windshield wiper fluid because there was none in the truck. If you rent you need to be aware they don't care. You are on your own.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I reserved a truck a month in advance and Budget cancelled our reservation after we cabbed to the pickup location claiming the previous renters decided to keep their truck longer. Because we'd already scheduled movers, we were forced to cab back, call around to rent another truck for twice as much money (from Penske, who were great) and delay our move. Meanwhile Budget claimed they'd call us back in 20 minutes with another truck pickup location. No call. We called them an hour later and they offered to "escalate" our complaint and give us a discount and call us back with a truck within two hours. No call. Two hours later we called and got another offer to "escalate" our complaint.I guess use Budget if you don't actually need a truck, have money to burn, and just enjoy arguing about the definition of the word "reservation" with some dude at a call center.

Original review: July 27, 2018

On our way from Dallas Texas to Seattle Washington, while on the freeway in Idaho, we were on the far right lane and due to extreme negligence on this company, Budget’s part, our rear right tire blew out, we swerved through eighteen wheelers and other cars, and ended up on the far left median. The truck stopped inches from flipping over, but my fiancée, our two kitties and I did suffer minor concussions. Other than that, we are safe and no one was hurt, thank God.

So we contacted the “emergency” number that indicates to “contact in case of emergency/life or death situations” that we received upon booking, and we got a pre-recorded message stating that they are “closed for the day, contact us during normal work hours.” This is a disgrace, and strike number two. We contacted the police and they completed a report. We finally got a hold of someone from Budget, whom was spewing policy, saying that there’s nothing that this company can do for us because it’s “after work hours,” and told us to ask the police to contact a tow truck driver. (Strike number three).

The police did contact a local towing company, and to add salt to the wound, there was absolutely no hotels/Airbnb’s available within a two hundred mile radius. The kind empathetic police lady contacted someone she knew locally in a small town in Idaho called “Rupert,” and got us a room. She was an angel. We were literally going to ask the police if we could stay in their jail overnight because it was either that, pay over a thousand dollars for a taxi, or stay on the median next to the freeway in the middle of nowhere with our kitties.

That was yesterday night. This morning, while speaking to a Budget representative, she told us that they will get another truck, have professional movers move our stuff from that truck that this company gave us in order to play with our/other civilians’ lives or serious bodily injury, and that the truck will come to us by 4:00 PM today with our stuff inside. We booked hotels, movers, and other appointments after we received this information that Budget “assured” us would take place. We contacted Budget around 5:30 pm today, and we’re told that no one had moved anything, and that now the truck won’t be ready until tomorrow.

We had to purchase clothing, food, toiletries, cat supplies, amongst other things because our stuff is in that truck that Budget promised they conducted preventative maintenance on. We had to cancel our hotel stay, purchase yet another hotel stay here in the middle of nowhere Idaho, cancel our movers, book movers for the week me which is an additional $145 fee, and we had to literally change our apartment lease due to this, which costs money, that goes without saying. Budget Truck Rentals have lied to us more than this administration, and we’ve suffered physically, psychologically, and monetary wise. This all actually happened and is 100% truthful. I cannot comprehend how this company is still in business.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Rented a truck on a Friday from Florida to Texas in July 2018. Mind you, how hot are these states at this time of year? The truck had no AC and left our caravan stranded at the fuel aisle of a truck stop for over 8 hours to replace 3 batteries. I will copy and paste my most recent response to Budget (which I cannot even submit as of yet because I have not been given an operational "situation number," and you cannot send the form to the "higher ups" without it) after receiving an offer to refund my card $150 for being "inconvenienced" which did not even cover what I was out to go to a hotel with our caravan of people and pets.

I received a response from ["CS rep 1st name only given"] 7-23-18 that I am hoping you have access to after I have made calls, emailed, and then filled out an online form. I want you to be aware of how a customer (since 1997) feels now as the result of his response so that you may better train individuals in the future. First off, insinuating that we lied about not having any AC for a 1,000 mile trip with no apology was insulting, at best. The claim it had not been reported is, in fact inaccurate (reported on the 8th to both the mechanic and the dispatcher when the truck would not start that, "maybe it is a short related to the AC that has not been working either").

The mechanic (who was a really good guy) informed us that the reason for the delay in repair was due to "not receiving approval" hours upon hours after the initial call. Being broken down in the fuel aisle at a truck stop in the middle of the night with pets and teenage girls left us with no other safe option than waiting over 8 hours in a hotel; to hear that the only reason it will not be refunded is due to an arbitrary definition of "overnight," still remains unbelievable to me. The repetitive mention of how "well-maintained" and dependable the fleet is was a further slap in the face for people who drove through the hottest states in the country with no AC during the month of July and broke down in a truck stop only 5 hours from destination (then to find out the time lapsed was because the poor mechanic could not get approval to do his job to fix the problem).

Further offending me, by saying that "we would not offer a full refund..." when that was not what I asked for. I asked for what was absolutely and completely right by refunding our hotel expenses and discounting the rental for not having AC; which I will add would not have been at a loss for Budget because we even turned the truck in two days early. To be honest, your customer service representative sounded more like he was trying to avoid a lawsuit than do what was right. The disingenuous response only made me even more disappointed in the experience. Especially after figuring in the company (even if my hotel had been refunded) still would have come out ahead due to the fact the truck was turned in early to be paid for a second time by another customer.

My request was anything but unreasonable and I have to say I am sadly surprised by the lack of empathy in the response to our situation. Hopefully he never has to travel over a 1,000 miles with children, pets, everything he owns, and after driving for 13 hours with no AC be left at a truck stop, not knowing what to do because no one will approve repairs.

Furthermore, upon trying to submit this form I tried the only number in "CS rep 1st name only given" email, my confirmation number, and a combination of both only to repeatedly not be able to use any of them which means I have to again contact someone to even submit this response. Also, we were told by the mechanic the batteries shorted due to improper grounding of a recently installed alternator-"well-maintained," "dependable" trucks. The unnecessary stress to everyone (including pets) was exacerbated when we found out Budget did not make it right, as I kept telling everyone they would. After 21 years of using Budget-will never use again.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I never take time to express my experiences, today is the day. I rented a truck with a trailer and one of the tire from the trailer blown out. I called customer service and waiting for over 2 hours for the technician. I asked the technician if he knew why the tire blew, he said that it might be because the road was hot. He added stating he received a lot of calls of tires blown on trailers because the company doesn't not keep up with maintenance.

Three weeks later I received a bill for $341.32 for replacing the trailer's tire. I called stating that I purchased a waiver to cover any damages, however I was told that this was not covered. I asked customer service if a headlight, radio, light or A/C stop working am I responsible too? No answer was given, just that I'm responsible for the tire because it seems that a nail caused the damage. I have pictures that there was no tire left only the rim, so how they determined that it was a nail driving on the highway that caused the tire to blow. I'm taking legal action against Budget, they should provide the customer with well maintained truck for the safety of the customers. Never use them again.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information