Find a Movers partner

2.9/5 (2117 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Budget Truck Rental

Budget Truck Rental offers individual and commercial moving services. The company provides rental trucks, packing supplies and moving services. It offers some discounts and is widely available. Renters can choose between a range of cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12-foot to 26-foot trucks.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top Budget Truck Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a 16' truck from Budget a few weeks ago and received great customer service from all of the employees that I met. I picked up the truck the evening before my move, Linda ...

Verified

Rented a 16 ft truck to move my mother from Indiana to Georgia. Other than the line at the pickup being long, everything else was just as good as expected. Truck was clean and ran...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Budget Truck Rental?

Budget Truck Rental is a moving truck company that caters to individual and commercial clients. It operates nationwide with more than 1,600 company-owned and dealer locations. You can choose between cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12- to 16-foot trucks, depending on how much you need to transport. All the trucks in its fleet have automatic transmissions, power steering and power brakes, making them easy to operate. Many also come with walk ramps or liftgates.

You can also rent towing equipment, hand trucks and furniture pads from Budget and get packing, loading and unloading assistance from its partner company HireAHelper. Budget also offers protection plans for its rental trucks, which include supplemental liability insurance and roadside assistance. It provides discounted fees for AARP members, military veterans, students, members of the Bar Association, EMTs, firefighters and police officers.

Budget Truck Rental services

Budget Truck Rental has thousands of locations around the country. You can make a reservation online, on the phone or in person. To get a quote and finalize your reservation, you’ll need to determine when you need the truck, where you’ll pick it up and drop it off and what size vehicle you need. Budget offers traditional trucks measuring 12, 16, 24 and 26 feet long. For smaller moves, you can rent a cargo van or pick-up truck.

Budget also rents out its trucks for light commercial use, offers towing equipment like car carriers and tow dollies, sells packing supplies and rents out hand trucks and furniture pads. You can also opt to get packing, loading and unloading assistance from HireAHelper.

Budget Truck Rental prices

Budget Truck Rental’s rates vary depending on the type of move. Its prices include a flat daily charge for the truck rental, per-mile fees, gas, taxes and fees. It also requires a $150 refundable deposit. The per-mile fee can range from $0.60 to $1.00, and the daily truck cost can vary from $19.99 to $49.99 or more.

You can also add liability coverage, but this will increase the price. Budget also charges no-show fees and late-return fees. Your cost will depend on where you’re moving from and to, when you need the truck, truck size and any extra services you desire. Its weekday rental prices are generally cheaper than weekend rates.

Budget Truck Rental FAQ

Are Budget trucks reliable?
    Yes, Budget’s trucks are reliable. All its locations perform 10-point inspections on the equipment before each rental. The company maintains its equipment regularly, purchases new trucks annually and retires older vehicles. If something does go wrong, the company offers 24/7 roadside assistance.
    Does Budget Truck Rental take debit cards?
    Yes, Budget accepts payment by debit card. You can pay with debit at the time of the reservation and when you return the truck. If you use a debit card, the deposit amount will appear in your account as a hold.
    What do I need to rent a truck from Budget?
    To rent a Budget truck, you need a valid driver’s license and a credit or debit card. On the day of your reservation, you must present your license and a second valid form of ID. This can be a credit/debit card, valid passport, Social Security card, U.S. military ID card, employer-issued photo ID, a current utility bill or a pay stub.
    Where is Budget Truck Rental available?
    Budget Truck Rental has over 1,600 locations in the U.S. You can use its location finder to find the closest rental facility.

Is Budget Truck Rental good?

Budget Truck Rental offers rental trucks, moving services and packing supplies for individuals and commercial customers. For those taking on a DIY move, this is an ideal service. The company has thousands of locations around the country, and it’s generally affordable for local moves. However, its fees can add up quickly, especially if you’re planning a long-distance or multiday move, and insurance coverage and roadside assistance come at an extra cost.

Budget Truck Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2021

If it's a distance based rental then I should have been refunded my extra day. Also being that I brought it back early you can rent out the beat up truck again and make more money. If it's distance based I shouldn't have had to choose dates. I think I would spend extra money and go to your competition next time.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I reserved a truck well in advance, about a month and a half in advance. I am moving from Phoenix to Texas. They called me a day and a half before I am scheduled to pick the truck up to let me know that my reservation will need to be cancelled. I am a single mother on a budget so this hurt me. I had to find a different truck with a competitor and they offered to pay $250. There is no amount of money that will cover the emotional anguish I experienced. Also $250 does not cover the different. I had to reserve a smaller 10 foot truck instead of 16 ft, which will not be enough room for all of my belongings.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

This is the second time I've rented a Budget Truck during the COVID-19 pandemic. As if that's not enough stress, both times I received a dirty truck, with the remnants from the last customer to clean up before I could utilize my own rental time. Add going to the pick-up location and the truck not being available at the reserved/validated time. I had a mover with me who was tied now also tied up for an extra 1.5 hours, sitting in his hot pick-up truck in a hot parking lot waiting for Budget (Corporate/Representatives) to rectify the situation. I was told it could take up to 2 hrs to receive a call back. I stayed at the site telling Budget this was their problem, that I reserved a truck, gave up my Visa Debit card to lock in the same and even got reminder emails up until the morning of the truck rental.

When the guy at the pick-up location finally arrived on site, the truck needed to be gassed up, so that was an additional wait. All I wanted to do was get my now delayed (more stressful and added costs incurred) day started. I took photos of the condition of the truck. A few hours later, I dropped of the truck at the appointed location only to find that Budget associate wasn't leaving her desk, but that I was to go get the odometer reading. Turns out something was wrong with that (the mileage never changed) and somehow was charged an additional $112.00 for "additional miles." When asked how that was possible, no data was available to that rep to give to me. It was later, when I saw my gas receipt for the $15.00 to top the tank off before returning the truck a day early, that I realized I had been bamboozled.

I have fought the charges of that entire truck rental day, and all Budget could muster up is a $50 refund. My response was I'd rather go to small claims court, where I'd then add compensation on top of the rental refund for services that were less than professional and lacking every bit of customer service owed this single 67 year old retired female with MS who was just trying to move her personal belongings in a new state where I had to hire help, which included Budget Truck Rental. You'd have thought they gave me the truck to use for free. Their entitlement pass to abuse paying consumers should be an embarrassment to the company Budget-Avis.

What I will warn anyone reading this is...buyer beware. Spend the extra money and go with one of the other larger truck rental options that won't treat you like they're doing you a big favor. You'll be glad you did. I'm sorry I didn't. Penny wise, dollar stupid. That's how I feel about using Budget simply because my AARP membership allows me to use a discount code. For the measly $38 I saved, I paid for ten fold in stress and mover overtime. I'll be informing AARP as well. They need to know who they sponsor and present to their senior population. Today I received a resolution email that said they'd credit me $80 as despite all that occurred as a paying customer, I was still "able to complete my move" in the time allotted for the rental. This is how Budget "fixes" their internal issues.

Apparently customers are a dime a dozen now, but now there'll be one less senior to abuse and hopefully this review will send some who are undecided towards a more customer oriented organization/company/business. I disputed the charges for the services received with my bank as well. I hope that Budget considers their $80 settlement damages well spent, as I believe the number of negative reviews have cost them way more than that dismal amount. My time (retired) might not be worth anything to big business, but when the number of consumers that go with another rental company grows, perhaps they'll rethink their current rentals/claims/resolution practices.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

If I could give 0 stars I would. Please be warned about the terrible customer service and vehicle from Budget Truck Rental in North Attleboro, MA. Upon arriving, I noticed a very dented cargo van parked ON THE GRASS and hoped it was not the one I had reserved months in advance from a move from Massachusetts to Florida, but it was.

When entering the store, I was not greeted with a smile and a "how can I help you", but with a snarl and a very annoyed lady. She asked for my credit card and license, then proceeded to push me into buying a very unnecessary insurance policy. After she returned my cards and I returned the declined insurance form, I asked if my husband could be added as a driver. She said "I already did the contract". She refused to change it. Not sure if it was because her cell phone was ringing off the hook or if she is just very rude in general. The only other words she spoke to myself and my husband is that we are lucky that we are moving to a red state. I have no idea why she felt this was part of providing a good customer experience.

Let's get back to the cargo van. It had massive dents all over it, the inside was absolutely filthy. Dust, dirt and sticky stuff everywhere. The windshield looked like someone chain-smoked in there for a couple years. We found out one of the windshield wipers was broken on our ride down, surely a violation of DOT. The windshield wiper fluid cap was missing as well as the oil cap. Oil was all over the engine. The speed limit most highways down to Florida is 70, but we couldn't even get close to that. The van shook violently over 50 mph. Obviously no safety checks are done. And super obvious that no one cleans the vehicles. I will never rent from Budget and warn anyone who is thinking about it that their vehicles could kill you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

We had to bring some boxes from Detroit area to Vancouver, WA. We booked a cargo van with Budget Truck Rental - Avis company, flew from Portland, went to pick up the van we had booked. When we reached what they call Dealer Location in Monroe, MI we were given a damaged van that appeared to be a minor dented back and side that would not impact the performance. But when we started driving for over 100 miles from the rental place, we had to turn the air conditioning on. The air conditioning was not working - not cooling at all. We were in the middle so to speak, after loading the boxes, did not want to go back, could not go back, called their customer service, were told we will be compensated at the end of the rental. After we returned the van at Vancouver, we called the customer service, were put on hold for over 1 hour, still no response. I would perhaps never rent anything from Budget in future. Very insensitive management.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

The truck was dirty and full of someone’s pet hair. When You’re paying 1500$ for a truck your things should at least not come out gross and dirty and covered in pet hair when you own no pets. The cab was also dirty with pet hair, which flew in my face when I rolled the windows down, sticky spots on the dash and trash and cereal under the seats.

When we arrived to pick up the truck I was told they didn’t have the car dolly I had reserved several months in advance. I was told they tried to call me the day before and it was other renters fault because they are rough on them… I had to scramble to find someone to drive my car as I had been planning on making the trip alone. I then had additional expenses I had not budgeted for, several hundred more dollars in gasoline and three more hotel nights for the second person driving my car, also the immediate need for an oil change.

About 15 hours of our 33 hour trip was in the rain, which leaked into the cab and onto my head and ran down my back. I did not want to call Budget for a replacement truck as the lady at pickup told us if we had any problems someone would drive us a new truck but we would have to move everything from the first truck to the new truck ourselves. I have a table that weighs about 350# there is no way I could move it with just one persons help.

I emailed the customer service team to see about compensation for the leaky truck and expenses incurred from their error not having the tow dolly. They offered 70$ and then 130$. Very disappointed. They are price gouging everyone since the pandemic anyways the least they could do would be to give adequate compensation. I picked budget because Uhaul was 300$ More expensive, but in the end with the extra gas and hotel room it would have actually been 400$ cheaper! If you do rent from budget for a one way trip and are planning on towing a vehicle, be sure you have an extra thousand in the bank and a backup driver on standby.

Original review: July 30, 2021

We chose to pick up the reserved 16 ft truck from the closest location to home or a long move from NC to TX. Ended up at a musty smelling gas station with only 1 clerk working. Clerk completed some paperwork then essentially handed me the key to check out the truck myself. First thing I noticed were the tires, they looked old and worn with lots of rust on rim. Once I got in the truck, I noticed dirty and torn seats - not cool. The truck looked pretty old too. Immediately upon starting the truck, the check engine light illuminated and stayed on while I checked AC, mileage and gas. No way would I rent this vehicle!

I cancelled the reservation and explained the issue. I was asked if I wanted another truck. Not from that location, no thanks. Thank God for Penske! Was able to get a clean, newish truck. The clerk checked the truck with me (as expected) and when I called Penske, it was explained that after 4 years, they sell the trucks and that 50% of their trucks are new. Oh, the cost ended up being about $50 more than Budget!!

Original review: July 13, 2021

I rented a moving truck from this place and I was dropping off the truck in Miami. The trip was horrible. The truck was overheated. I paid for the full insurance package. I called so many time to the road side assistance and they never answered. I SPEND 23 HOUR FROM ATLANTA TO MIAMI IN THIS MOVING TRUCK. I never had any response from Budget. I've called they say that some supervisor will contact me but I haven't received any call and I have been on the line for more than one hour. They charged me $1000 for this "service". DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Never use Budget Truck Rental! I made a reservation for a 12 foot truck about a month before my move. Because I was moving from Los Angeles, CA to UT, it was very expensive (over $1,200). When I showed up to pick up my truck I was informed that they didn't have any 12 foot trucks and that all they had were vans. They had my reservation in the computer but they said there was nothing that they could do because they didn't have any trucks. They said that if I would have read all the fine print that it didn't actually say that they would have the type of truck that I had reserved when I showed up. Apparently, a "reservation" is not actually a reservation for this company.

My entire move was scheduled around this date and a van wasn't going to cut it. They never called or emailed or anything to tell me that there might be a problem. They told me that they had no visibility into availability at other locations and there was nothing they could do. After some heated discussion they somehow "found" a 16 foot truck that was supposed to go to someone else (sorry to that guy!) and gave it to me. Then, I had to deal with them pushing insurance on me and making me call my insurance company to verify that I was covered.

Luckily I had a truck (although it was too big for my purposes) but unfortunately it was a piece of trash. It had over 185,000 miles on it and I felt like it was going to break down at any moment. It started overheating as I drove through the desert and the air conditioner stopped working. I slowed down and stopped for a bit to try to make sure it wouldn't overheat. For the whole 11 hour trip I thought it was going to break down at any moment and that I was going to be stranded somewhere. Luckily, I made it.

As if that wasn't enough, the back of the truck was infested with ants that got all over my stuff! The disaster only got worse when I tried to return the truck. The return "office" was just a shed and despite it being during business hours (8:30 with business hours being from 8 - 5), nobody was there. There was a phone number to call in the event that nobody was at the office but, of course, no one answered the phone. I had to come back later in the day to find the office still locked but at least someone answered the phone that time. How does a company function with such incompetence, horrible business processes, and disregard for the customer? I will never use them again.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I wanted to post this to hopefully save others from going through what we have been going through. We have been stranded in Barstow, California for three days. We rented the largest Budget truck in northern California for our move to Texas. We picked it up and it broke down in Barstow, before we reached our first stop. Initially the service was terrific. They had a mechanic out for review by 8 AM the next morning. The truck had to be taken to their shop pending approval from budget for the parts and labor to fix the truck. There is literally no communication and every time we call the fleet department for budget we are told that they have no update because budget has not approved the repairs. This is after being on hold for 30 minutes to an hour.

We have called twice a day for the last three days and gotten nowhere. All of our possessions are sitting in the truck in the lot of the company that is supposed to fix it. We have spent $900 and hotel fees as well as had to pay for food for three days for three people. I would not suggest using budget trucks to anybody. We are still stranded here and we are losing valuable time at work in addition to the money we’ve already spent.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information