Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now
  2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

Budget Truck Rental Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2020

I had to move my elderly mom and handicapped sister, who is bed bound, from Mims, Fl to Cocoa, Fl. I reserved a truck a week in advance. When I got to the office with my daughter, the manager at the Budget Rental place was very rude because I had brought my mom's credit card to rent the truck and he said we couldn’t rent the truck! My mom can’t drive a 26 foot truck. So I had to call my mom on the phone and tell her we couldn’t get the truck. She said, "What are we gonna do?" So I walked outside to the car and I asked my mom, I said, "Send me the money on the cash app to rent the truck so, I could put it on my visa debit card!"

The manager was rude when we got there and was still rude when we came back inside, he still refused to rent me the truck all because of his ego! We always used U-Haul and we thought budget might save us a little bit of money! Don’t ever rent from Budget because they don’t care anything about their customers! I even called the corporate office and complained and they didn’t do anything! The store manager said that he was the manager and he didn’t have to rent us nothing! We were so upset at how we were treated and here we are a customer! Who treats their customers like garbage? Budget Truck Rental does! And Corporate office doesn’t care either????

Original review: March 2, 2020

Stay away if you want to keep your hard owned money. Rented a truck and had to cancel the same day due to some unforeseen circumstances. They still charged me $75 3 days later and when I called they only refunded me half of that amount because it's their policy. Well your policy just made your company lose another customer. I myself am a business owner and such a policy is just ridiculous. I never even went to the office to pick up any truck because I did cancel and even received an email stating that it was canceled. Avoid any headaches with this company and find a small business owner who cares about their customers.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I recently moved to Wisconsin from South Carolina and needed a truck to get all my furniture. I usually use U-Haul and never had any problems, but I saw Budget was priced lower for my trip. When I went to go pick up my truck the guy was doing a walk around at the truck before handing me the keys, and I noticed the rear tires were completely bald. So he took me to another truck, did a walk around, but failed to see the left tail light was hanging out. He wrote it down and I turned on the truck and saw the "Engine Check" light was on. I pointed it out to him and he said "It's okay. We do maintenance on our trucks and check the fluids. All of our trucks run good!". So he convinced me it was ok to make the 16 and a half hour ride up to Wisconsin.

I left at 2am to drive up so I can be there before my labor got there to help me unload the truck, and sure enough the truck breaks down and the engine is overheated. I then called up Budget's roadside assistance, and had to wait 2 hours in 28 degree weather in a car I couldn't start, and froze till help arrived. When help arrived he told me to get in his truck and warm up. He found out that the radiator was bad and that there was no coolant in the truck because it was leaking. I was SHOCKED! I could't believe that they would lie to me and tell me that the truck was ready to go, when it shouldn't even have left the lot.

He then gave me 2 extra gallons of coolant so I can make the rest of the trip home. I ended up missing my labor and having my girlfriend's old parents help me carry in heavy furniture, which took us hours! I was never able to get my money back for the labor I had scheduled for that day. I then returned the truck and called customer service. I then got transferred around because no one wanted to help me until I finally got someone who could help. I explained my story to the lady (the 4th person I got transferred to) and she said she will see what she could do. She then told me $60 was the best they can refund me. I was shocked because I paid $745 for the truck including fees, and the truck alone was $398. I was disgusted and told them thats unacceptable that I have to pay for a broken truck that was unsafe to leave the lot.

I told her I lost money because I had to freeze in a car for 2 hours in 28 degree weather, which made me miss the labor I hired (not through budget), that I paid for, and never got refunded for. And she checked again with her manager and said $100 is the best they could do. I told her I wanted corporates number and she said "you can only chose one, to have the $100 refunded, or get the corporate number." I told her "I think I am entitled to a full refund, but I think it's best for both parties if I get refunded for at least half." She then told me the same thing and said "I have to chose one of those options". This is my first experience with budget, and it will be my last. This shouldn't have to happen to anyone, and God forbid it happened to someones daughter or children. It's unacceptable, and Budget does not convey business in a professional manner of any sort.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

We recently did a move with a Budget Rental Truck and upon receiving the truck there was noticeable damage to the back to include the bumper being broken off the truck and sway bar, the ramp was jammed so far in the truck that it couldn't be removed, the license plate was broken off and Zip tied back into place, and the head light on the front of the truck was out. The appliance dolly we received couldn't be used either since the tie strap was almost torn off. I ended up having to take the truck in right away to get the headlight fixed but they wouldn't fix anything else since it would take too long and they were "busy."

After driving through two states one of the zip ties on the license plate broke off and when I called Budget's roadside assistance I was informed I'd have to take the truck to another repair area which added 3 more hours to the trip and over $20 in tolls. The mechanic at this Budget Rental area fixed the license plate, the people I talked to on the phone wanted them to just zip tie it back into place but the mechanic actually drilled two new holes in it and mounted it. When I returned the truck at our final destination the dealer was shocked at how bad the truck was and told me to call it in to get reimbursed. When I called in they said they would only reimburse the maintenance cost and nothing else and followed it up with a "Sorry for any inconveniences this might have caused".

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I had rented a truck from Budget Truck Rental. I get there and they had no trucks at that location. They knew about it the night before. Decided it was not important enough for me to know this. Hired helpers through their website while making the reservations. Not having the truck there, I had to go 30 minutes out of my way to get a truck. Cost me an extra hours with the helpers as they were there on time and I was chasing down a truck. Hours on the door stated 6pm close. Got there same day to drop off truck and they were closed already. Customer service is useless. Could not drop off truck and cost me even more in mileage.

Placed a complaint with Budget and all they could do was offer me a $20.00 credit, while hiding behind the fact they only take reservation but do not actually seem to hold or have the vehicles and good luck if you can get a truck type attitude. They ended up costing me an extra 120.00 because of their inability to do the right thing. Never would recommend them. Stay away from all Budget and Avis rentals as they are one on the same ownership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Rented a truck on 12/6 to move on 12/26. On 12/23 the rental place (not Budget but a lot they do business with) called to say there’s no truck for 12/26. In fact he hasn’t seen a Budget truck for 3 weeks because they rented them all for Amazon, FedEx, and UPS for Christmas deliveries. If they knew they wouldn’t have any trucks why in the world would they agree to rent one, take credit card information, and send a confirmation email. Perhaps telling the truth would help. And if it hadn’t been for the non-budget employee calling me I would have shown up many miles away to find no truck.

When I spoke with their customer service the reply was “sometimes they are in a wreck” or “ not returned on time” and “there’s no guarantee as it says in the terms”. First, obviously this is BS as their entire fleet can’t be destroyed or misplaced. Second, it’s clear they know they have already rented them so who needs to know the terms and conditions written by their corporate lawyers to protect them? The fact is they just plain lie as is noted in many reviews above. Rent from Uhaul or any honest competitor but avoid these scammers at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Typically I would say my experience was ok but due to the fact I was charged a 30 dollar refuel fee even though I went to the gas station and filled the truck up to where the pump clicked it done. I was told you don’t go past when it clicks. Apparently it took another 20 to bring it to full. I don’t mind paying that but the 30 on top is ridiculous. Also when I dropped it off the place was closed. It took 29 mins to get the truck to shut down. The lights wouldn’t go off. I won’t go there again.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I reserved Budget Rental Truck two weeks in advance. I received an email stating that my reservation was ready. The day I went to pick up the truck with my mom, I came to the pickup location and there was no truck. I called customer service, and they attempted to locate another truck. After calling back hour after hour, I was told that that I would receive a call early the next morning, the day of my move. I received a call, and was told the nearest truck was two hours away one way in Chicago (I am moving from Milwaukee). There may be another truck closer by later that day.

As expected, I was livid as this had been set up weeks ago. I was told that I was to have confirmed the truck rental 48 hours prior to the day of rental. However, not a single email, nor anything during the reservation had stated this. In fine print, it says a truck is not guaranteed. I have never heard of a business model that asks for a reservation, but then does not provide the service. I will never use Budget Rental Truck again, and I will advise anyone I know that is moving to not use this company. I was able to locate a truck from U-Haul, and they had amazing customer service. They found me a truck, and I was able to move. If you require moving and you are doing it yourself, use U-Haul.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Awful experience....go with Penske (so much better). My truck was not available for some reason the morning that I needed it (after making a reservation). They sent me out of the way to pick up another, but then charged me twice as much (no one can tell me why). The truck was awful...headlights barely worked (dangerous), radio didn't work....loud. It was a deathtrap. Poor customer service....this company should be out of business.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I moved from upstate New York to Utah. The local U-Haul didn't have available equipment so I had to use Budget. Budget cost $700+ dollars more than Uhaul would have (in total I paid about $3600 for the rental - without hiring any movers). Expensive! During the cross-country move I had a concern about the truck and called the help number listed in the paperwork. There was no answer. Unresponsive!

During the move, the trailer hitch somehow suffered about $100 worth of damage. I had paid $250 for the Physical Damage Waiver which gives me $0 responsibility for any loss or damage. I pointed the damage out to the kindly manager when I returned the truck and he confirmed that I wouldn't be responsible for the repairs because I had the PDW. Five months later I get a bill from a collections agency, charging me for the repairs. Apparently there is a clause in the contract that invalidates all protections if the vehicle travels on a dirt road, even if briefly and unavoidably, as was my case (this clause was mixed in under the heading of racing the rental truck, strangely). And the groomed dirt road was not what caused the damage to the trailer hitch. Deceptive!

When I learned of the charges, I contacted customer service at Budget through email (I couldn't find any phone number to call) to ask them if they'd rather have the $100 or if they'd rather keep my business. It's been nearly a week and I have not received a reply. Unresponsive! The people I worked with in person, both in New York and Utah, were certainly nice enough, though. Having not heard back from Budget, I paid the $100 to the collections agency to hopefully avoid harm to my credit score. I am 40 years old and have moved more times than I have years of age. Moving truck rental companies stand to make thousands or tens of thousands of dollars off of me moving forward, but not Budget. Congratulations, Budget, you sold your birthright for a mess of pottage.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information