1.03/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

This company pays a monthly fee to participate in the ConsumerAffairs accreditation program and we may receive compensation for any referrals.

719 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 9, 2019

The adventure began the evening of Friday June 7th, 2019 from McKinney, Texas. After over 11 straight hours of driving, the Budget Rental Truck we had been assigned, started showing signs of overheating, by way of the temperature gauge going higher than what the normal temp had been showing thus far. As a precaution, we decided to pull into the nearest gas station to let it rest. In addition, instead of having any issues stop us in the middle of the desert, we decided to stay the night in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

The first thing in the morning (8am local time on 6/9/2019), after verifying all gauges on the truck looked back to normal, we jumped back on the road on our way to Las Vegas, Nevada. About 3 and a half hours into this second leg, the oil pressure gauge began to drop slowly, so we got off the highway and pulled into the nearest gas station to see what the problem was. Upon stepping out of the truck, we noticed that there was oil dripping from the driver side wheel well adjacent to the engine, oil had splattered on the driver side steps, oil had splattered all along the driver side of the truck the full length of the truck, oil had splattered on the vehicle trailer we were towing, and finally but definitely not least, oil had splattered all over our personal vehicle that we had been towing. When turning the truck back to the "on" position, the gauge for the oil pressure PSI read "0".

At 11:30 am (local time in Holbrook, Arizona) I called the Budget Truck Rental - Roadside Service number to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible, as we had a tight schedule to maintain. I was told by the operator that helped me, that I would be receiving a text message keeping me posted on the timeframe(s) of when to expect service to be provided. The first text message came through at 11:33 am with reference #**, stating that a local vendor was being "located and assigned shortly". At 12:21 pm I received a text message that ETA for the vendor assigned was 118 minutes (roughly 2-hours). By 2:30 pm I had yet to be contacted by anyone, so I called the vendor directly, to get a more accurate ETA. I was told that they were still an hour or so out from getting to us.

By 5:00 pm local time, the vendor finally showed up, took a look to verify that the oil had been drained out as we explained, took a look under the hood, filled up the truck with oil, and suggested we followed him back to his shop in Winslow, Arizona (41 miles west of our current location) for further examination. Once his in-depth examination concluded (roughly 6:30 pm local time in Winslow, Arizona), and after being reassured that there was nothing wrong with the Budget Rental Truck engine, we ventured out onto the highway once again.

After an hour on the road, and feeling immensely uncertain of how the rest of the drive would go, we stopped in Flagstaff, Arizona, for another unplanned overnight stay. Upon verifying that all gauges were once again in a normal position, and the oil PSI was double verified to be good, we hit the highway on what we hoped would be our final leg of this not-so-fun journey. Luckily we were able to arrive 4 hours after leaving Flagstaff, Arizona, without any issues.

Although arriving safe and sound, there were multiple issues that did not sit well with us...

1. having to needlessly spend the night at two separate hotels (on two separate nights)
2. wasting over 5 and a half hours at a gas station helplessly waiting for road side service (in 100+ degree weather)
3. spending an additional hour at a tire shop waiting for the mechanic to tell us that there is nothing wrong with the Budget Rental Truck (when slight overheating and a "0" PSI would say otherwise)
4. spending money on getting our personal vehicle detailed as a result of the oil splattering from the Budget Rental Truck

5. the uncertainty of whether or not we'd be able to complete our cross country trek.

At the end of the day, the saying is very true...you get what you pay for. The better deal isn’t always the better plan.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I made a reservation to pick up a truck in Orange City Florida (Avis/Budget) on 7/6 at 9:30am. At 10:30 I called to tell them I'd had car trouble and would be very late (close to 4pm) and I was calling to make sure they knew so they didn't think I wasn't coming. Woman I spoke to said, "ok." We arrived at 3:30pm and saw no trucks. When we asked her she said your reservation was for 9:30. I told her but I called and was told, "ok." She denied talking to me. I cannot be positive it was her but based on her voice I think it was. Either way, whoever was at the desk told me it was fine. She proceeded to hand me a paper with a customer service number and refused to try to help find a truck. We had driven 12 hours to get here and were only in town for one day to get the stuff. She NEVER even apologized.

When we told her she should be calling since they shouldn't have rented my truck out she proceeded to act like a child and ignore us. They required me to give a credit card number when reserving so how is that not a guarantee of a truck?! We were lucky a U-Haul dealer was just down the road and matched their price. It did knock us back over 2 hours though. Customer service told me they'd try to find me one but it could take 2 hours - I advised her all their offices would be closed in an hour and she said, "that's our policy" and "the best I can do". When I told her I wanted to file a complaint she asked what the girl said and I told her. She said, "ok that's our policy". Someone needs to school Budget on customer service. I will NEVER rent a car or truck from there.. no matter what the "savings"

Original review: July 9, 2019

We reserved a truck 5 days prior to needing it. We called an hour before in hopes it would be ready only to find out they didn't have a truck for us and were not going to have a truck. They were not even sure if they could get one in the next 24 hours. If we didn't call we would have driven there to pick up our reserved truck. That would not have gone well. Upon speaking with the manager he didn't care, he didn't apologize, he offered no remorse for the situation. Luckily we were able to secure a truck with a different company. Unfortunately for us it was 5 hours after the time we scheduled to pick this one up. NEVER AGAIN will they get the opportunity from us.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Horrible experience. No trucks were available in spite of having a confirmed reservation. The so called customer service line provided no assistance. When a “supervisor” called hours later, she told me she “was not going to discuss any inconvenience I had” and then hung up on me. Please save yourself the trouble and potential major disruption to your moving plans by avoiding this company like the plague unless you want to be patronized and insulted if you have a legitimate complaint. Budget obviously could care less about their customers.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I NEVER LEAVE REVIEWS, BUT THIS WAS SUCH A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE THAT I HAD TO WRITE SOMETHING. In hopes that someone reads this and is saved from losing time, money & sanity. Moving is already stressful... This experience just adds more to a full plate you may already have. I should have read the reviews and hope that people will read the reviews. I'm not going to bore you with the details as I was reading all the other reviews and I have had the same experience with renting months in advance just to be told that I would not have a rental the evening before my move out of state. My opinion is that they allow you to book and as I feel I did my due diligence in calling 2 weeks in advance and the morning of the day before my rental pick up they confirmed "YES" everything is on schedule, to hold you as the customer.

Once they call you to tell you there aren't any trucks available after all, you are forced to call around looking for a new rental where the price is outrageous!! So you are either forced to stick with them for a later date or book at an even higher rate. I ended up using them with a delay of 3 Days, loss of work wages as this move took me into the work week, as well as loss of money on the hired help to load. I called to get compensated in some way and they offered me $30.00. WHAT A JOKE!!! I said that is unacceptable asked for a Manager who in turned apologized and said the most she could refund me was $75.00.

This is a horrible way to conduct business. I seriously just got off the phone with that manager and told her I was going to leave a review Adrianne - 7/3/19 @ 10:40am. BUDGET YOU NEED TO FIND A BETTER WAY TO SUPPORT YOUR CUSTOMERS! Most of the world lives paycheck to paycheck and to have you come in with false confirmations and bogus customer service... you should be ashamed of yourselves!! By the way my confirmation #**.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: July 3, 2019

If I could give them negative five (-5) I would! We were charged $1250.00+ by Budget through Avis Car Rental after renting a box truck at Affordable Equipment Sales & Rentals in Hendersonville, NC and being provided an extremely dangerous and faulty truck that blew a tire, followed by the breaks and emergency breaks failing. It was terrifying, not to mention my fiancé hurt his back because of this, when told to try to “hop the truck” to the nearest hotel by a Budget representative, despite an automotive tech contracted with Budget explaining to Budget reps that there were no breaks or emergency breaks and the truck was not safe to drive! Yet Budget refused to assist us in getting to a hotel, and the only one that we could “hop to” and was in the immediate area had reviews of drug use, prostitution, being unsafe and guests having their doors banged on in the middle of the night by strangers.

We were stuck in a remote area of North Carolina for two days, almost all of our furniture and belongings were damaged by the movers that Budget finally sent (after much agony) to transfer our belongings to a functioning truck, many pieces in our family over 6 decades and irreplaceable, making it even worst was the fact they were all my late mother’s belongings who recently passed away. We were made to pay for our own hotel, all expenses, missed work, had to pay our dog sitter for additional days, as well as the movers we didn’t make it home in time for. We then had to pay for the movers to unload the truck again, having to wait until they were available again, as well as several additional charges throughout this nightmare, resulting in thousands.

Avis Car Rental, who is associated with Budget (AVIS BUDGET GROUP) has done absolutely nothing to resolve this and to top it off charged our card that we used only to hold the reservation, as well as my Father’s credit card who had paid for the truck rental... talk about double dipping! We have spent thousands of dollars, countless hours spent almost daily on this nightmare with no resolution. By far, we have experienced the worst customer service ever through Budget and Avis. The employees clearly have no interest other then collecting a paycheck and doing the bare minimum to obtain this. For a publicly traded company that answers to shareholders, we are absolutely shocked!

To sum this up, we returned the truck as provided to us, spoke with both an employee and the manager, having to make several calls and explaining all, making sure to reiterate the fact that Budget ensured us multiple times that we would not be charged, and refunded for our out of pocket expense through their Corporate Office. Despite this, we were not only charged, but charged significantly more and on the wrong card!

We called Affordable Equipment and Sales on several occasions only to be told that there was nothing they could do, even as we sat stranded for hours on the side of the road, which then turned it to being stranded overnight in a near deserted area. Once we were told the truck would have to be replaced and nobody knew when that would happen, we called Affordable Equipment and Sales back yet again asking that they extend the reservation until this was resolved and since we wouldn’t make it back now in time for the movers we hired to unload the truck, and had to not only pay for that but then rehire them for their first available but later date.

Keep in mind, we were directed to contact Affordable Equipment and Sales to accomplish the reservation extension at no charge by Budget Customer Service, yes, the same customer service that asked us to “hop” a 16’ box truck with no brakes or emergency brakes to the nearest “motel”. We were told by the Manager at Affordable Equipment and Sales that we needed to pay additional money to extend the truck rental despite all of the delays we were caused from the faulty dangerous truck they provided us, and what had unfolded because of their negligent and dangerous error.

When we realized nobody cared at all, from this third party rental establishment through Budget management, we agreed to pay since our hands were tied at that moment, at which point we were then told when offering yet another credit card, (which shouldn’t matter, because they clearly charge whichever card they want, or both in our case) “I actually can’t extend the reservation, you need to call Budget’s 1 800 number”. To add insult to injury, Affordable Equipment Sales and Service provided the incorrect credit card to be charged, resulting in our card being charged that was only suppose to hold the reservation. In addition, they also provided the card that was provided for payment to be charged too, so both were provided to our drop off location (Avis in Princeton, NJ) BEWARE & BE SAFE!

Original review: July 1, 2019

I reserved my Budget Truck a month before the pick-up date. We received all of the update emails about our truck being ready for pick-up. On the day of pick-up I receive a call from the store manager stating that my truck wasn't there and that I would need to find another company. He didn't offer me any other trucks, just said good luck. I was obviously upset because I planned on moving my family 600 miles away. I called Budget's customer service to have this remedied and I was told they would call me back in 2 hours and never called back. I called the customer service again and talked to a csr that was rude and said that this is normal and that I should've had a backup plan. That customer service rep hung up on me. DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY IF YOU ARE DOING ANY BUSINESS. ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE MOVING OUT OF STATE.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Scheduled a 26' truck months in advance, got a call within 5 days before the move and said they had no trucks. Talked to customer support and Inventory Control out of Denver and no luck with finding a truck. I was also asked if I had a Plan B just in case they had no trucks, (now that just silly). Budget help out your employees and don't overbook truck or buy more. It's the middle of summer, now we have to scramble last minute to find a truck that is now triple the price.

Original review: June 26, 2019

Horrible customer service and faulty trucks. I moved 1300 miles away and had to use two different trucks. First one had a broken doghouse so hot air from the engine burning on your Accelerator foot. Return that one, was given a second truck. When I hit heavy rain the cabin leaked down my passengers in my back. When unloading the truck my merchandise was wet in the back. All I got was "I’m sorry" and $68 refund. They do not seem to take pride in their merchandise or in satisfying their customers. I will not stop spreading the word of how horrible this company has treated me until I am fully compensated or get the word out to everyone I possibly can!

Original review: June 25, 2019

I book 16 foot truck 2 weeks early than moving date and I have reserved hand truck as well. But at the time of pickup, they don't have availability of hand truck. I end up searching hand truck somewhere else and it took me 2 more hours. I end up paying additional waiting charges to moving helpers. I conveyed same to Budget customer service and they offered me 5 dollar refund. It's really nuts. There are lot other hidden charges and insurance also very expensive. I would not recommend this to anybody.

Original review: June 24, 2019

This review is for the National Company Budget Truck Rental for our move from Germantown, TN to Asheville, NC. We made our reservations for two 26’ trucks plus a car trailer on 5/29/2019 with a scheduled pick up day of 6/19/2019. We booked these trucks 3 weeks ahead of time, knowing it was to be a busy time of year for truck rentals. Two days before our scheduled pick-up date, Sean from Budget Truck Operations left me a voicemail stating they were going to cancel our reservations because they were having a problem with trucks in that market! I called him back right away but they had already canceled our reservations without ever speaking to me.

I guess he was trying to make me feel better by saying we were not the only people he had to call to cancel their reservation, stating he had a bunch of other people to call with the same news. I told him that didn’t make me feel better, it made me feel worse because they didn’t just overbook by a couple of trucks, they overbooked by a bunch! He also said our “reservation” did not guarantee us the equipment, it just guaranteed us the price! I told him that is ridicules, what good does a price guarantee do me if they don’t have the equipment to rent me?

After getting nowhere with Sean, I asked him to have his manager or supervisor call me because this was completely unacceptable. Awhile later someone else with Budget called and told me Sean had been correct in cancelling our reservations, and told me the same things he had told me. I explained this was two days before a big move with moving crews lined up at both ends and canceling on us just two days before the move was putting us in a very difficult position. I asked if they could drive trucks in from another location or have us pick-up from somewhere else?

Both of them told me they didn’t have a single truck available within 300 or even 400 miles of our rental location. Neither of them offered compensation or assistance of any kind for the predicament they were putting us in. I have rented a lot of trucks and cars in my lifetime and this was by far the worst experience ever, I will never use Budget again! Fortunately for us we were able to scramble and find the equipment we needed with Penske Truck Rental! Penske was fantastic, great equipment, and excellent customer service. I highly recommend them!

Original review: June 24, 2019

If I could give this company negative stars, I would. My husband and I reserved the truck weeks in advance. We reserved a 16 foot truck. Of course, when we arrived, they only had 12 foot truck available. I don't care what their contract says, it is unacceptable. I was then told, I can't be reimbursed until I return the truck. So despite our planning, we of course, couldn't fit everything in the 12 foot truck. We traveled 8 hours to drop off our items and returned the truck as scheduled.

We now call to explain our situation which is now extending our lease 4 days totaling $457, driving an additional 16 hours, missing at least a day of work at our new jobs (that's if we drive 16 hours and pack the remaining items in the same day). They would only comp us $40. When I asked to speak to the manager, Adrian the so called "head of corporate escalation team" was rude, disrespectful and claimed she was the highest we could go. I managed to find the corporate number and turns out she has a boss. My husband and I are actively calling everyone including the president of the company. I will NEVER use them again. I will ensure that NO ONE I know uses them. They are terrible! THE WORST COMPANY EVER!

Original review: June 20, 2019

We rented a truck and car carrier 6 weeks before a cross country move and were assured it would work with our car make and model, both by using the online tool and by calling customer service to confirm. Day of the move, our car didn't fit on the carrier, and after multiple confusing phone calls with customer service we had to leave our car behind. During these phone calls the day we picked up the truck, customer service finally told us the car wouldn't fit - despite conflicting information from previous Budget reps and Budget's website. Because we found this out the day of the move, we weren't able to make any other arrangements, and were forced to leave our car for several weeks in the Midwest. If we would have known the car didn't fit on the carrier when booking, we never would have moved forward with using Budget.

Customer service was absolutely useless in trying to find a solution for us during our issues, and was unwilling to compensate us for the additional cost of another cross country drive with our personal vehicle. They offered us $90 total for compensation, which doesn't come close to what we'll spend on additional moving costs (plane tickets, double gas, wear and tear on vehicle, time missed from work, etc) solely due to Budget's errors. I would never recommend using Budget if you are moving - they are not reliable, responsible, or willing to fix their mistakes.

Original review: June 17, 2019

My mother in law, myself, my fiancé and my sister and her husband were all at this location to pick up two 26 foot trucks and a car trailer that had been verified Friday. When we arrived, the employee Cynthia stated that they did not have both trucks and that the trailer was broken and could not be used...This is what transpired after we initially walked up to the location at 7:30am. Here is how it started....

Issue one: We as a group and specifically Dr. Beverlee ** of The Jasmine Charitable Trust, were not allowed into the Budget Truck Rental on Warwick Blvd in Newport News at 7:30am on June 17th 2019, with Service Dog Nora, who is for stability and other medical alerts for Dr. Beverlee. The employee Cynthia’s exact quote was “Uhuh I don’t like dogs.” Dr. Beverlee **, informed her it was a service dog and that she was allowed anywhere in buildings legally under federal law and the woman still refused us entry. So a disabled woman was sitting on the front concrete stairs of BUDGET TRUCK RENTAL on Warwick Blvd in Newport News for over 2 hours in the heat because of ignorance and idiocy.

Second issue: The “Boss” Jennings was horrifically rude to not only my mother in law but to the rest of our group. He asked my fiancé, who is disabled and my brother in law who is also disabled to help him unhitch the broken car trailer by hand with no jacks or anything from the truck. I was sitting on the concrete steps outside because he wouldn’t allow us in with the service dog, see issue above, and my response was “No, you are not going to make two disabled men lift that trailer” to which Jennings replied in the most horrifically rude tone “I wasn’t talking to you, I was talking to her” referring to my mother in law. This sparked a reply of “You will not talk to me that way” by me and my fiancé stating that his attitude was out of line. He continues to berate me and my mother in law with rude comments to which I stand up two steps below him and he proceeds to yell at me “I am the boss” and points to his shirt and gets really close to me.

He was aggressively leaning over me on the top step and was inches from my face when I tell him to “Get the hell out of my face” to which he gets more physically aggressive and steps closer and continuing to yell that he was the boss and no one was going to tell him what to do. My Fiancé told him to back off and for me to walk away so I didn’t get hurt so I did and Jennings final remark to me was “Yeah that's right walk away, you better do what he says” in a mocking and belittling tone. I walked away and sat in my car due to my upset.

This was one of the most unprofessional and disgusting displays of management I have ever seen in my life. This owner Jennings should NEVER be allowed to interact with any customers. I will be filing a report to the ADA about how he denied a service animal and caused an elderly disabled woman to sit on concrete stairs outside in the heat for 2 hours. I also will be contacting corporate about his aggressive and inappropriate actions. Please SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Original review: June 16, 2019

This has been the worst moving experience all thanks to Budget. We had our truck and trailer hitch reserved months in advance for an across country move. The morning we went to pick our truck and trailer up there was a truck with no trailer. When we contacted Budget they saw that we had a trailer booked but gave us no explanation for why it was not there. We were told we could not take the truck and begin loading a grab a trailer elsewhere and that we would have to wait while they found us a truck that came with a trailer.

After 4 hours of waiting and calling, nothing was resolved, Budget was incredibly rude, and we ended up having to go get the same truck we tried to pick up 4 hours earlier then drive another hour out of the way to get a trailer! They would not even give us a little compensation or discount even though they caused us an incredible amount of stress and a total of 6 hours delay in our trip! Other truck companies were all booked or we would have canceled with Budget. They took advantage of this situation. Do not ever use this company.

Original review: June 14, 2019

My husband and I rented a 26 foot truck for our move out of state. When we arrived to pick up the truck it wouldn’t start. They could only offer us a 16 foot truck which meant that if we wanted to stay on schedule we had to take the truck and they told us to call the company headquarters to get a refund for the difference. We wound up leaving stuff behind on the curb because it wouldn’t fit in the truck. We get to Florida (from NJ) and call the company. They will only refund us 150 bucks because that’s “all we’re allowed to give you”. Don’t rent a truck from this company. Moving is hard enough but then to have to leave half your belongings behind and then get charged for a truck you didn’t even get? Thievery.

Original review: June 12, 2019

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was trying ramp my brother's 4 wheeler when I was 14. I wrecked his 4 wheeler and broke my leg. That is now the second biggest mistake in my life. Renting a Budget truck now takes the top spot easily. I made a reservation for a truck to move from NE to NC 3 weeks in advance. When I went to pick up the truck they did not have it. I had to wait 4 hours after my pickup time before the truck was ready.

Once I got the truck and got everything loaded, I started off on my long drive. I was driving through the Appalachian mountains when it started to get dark. I turned my lights on and to my surprise they did not work. The lights were so dim that I could not see anything. I had to sweat out the rest of the drive only able to see two feet in front of me. When I called to notify the company I was met with a very unprofessional and angry employees. This is the worst company in America and maybe even the world. I would suggest paying the extra money for a different company. Believe me you will not regret it.

Original review: June 8, 2019

A few weeks prior I attempted to reserve a truck for a one way move. Budget had the best price online with a 30% discount. The total came up to $303. After entering all my info including card # the system spit my reservation back out & just said "call customer service for assistance." I figured it was some kind of "con" or "safeguard" Budget put in the system. Once I called I got the typical outsourced from India Idiot who quoted a price of $583 vs the $303 the system kept spitting back out.

I told this person I wouldn't be using Budget at that price. I ended up just loading what I could into my car & leaving the rest. When I look at my card statement I see a $50 "no show fee" from Budget. I'm like what the hell? The system spit out my reservation multiple time @ $303. When I checked my email Budget somehow CONFIRMED one of the reservations @ $303 that it told me to contact customer service on & I was charged a no show fee. I see this as a form of fraud as I wasn't expecting an email/confirmation for that $303 charge that wasn't avail. at that price.

Original review: June 3, 2019

I reserved a rental truck, in Conyers, GA, 2 months prior to the pickup date. On the day of pickup, the office location was closed when I arrived and had to wait for 2 hours for the staff to return. Then I was told in a non-caring manner that the size truck reserved was not delivered. I was told I could pickup a truck an hour away at another location, and the reservation will be forward with not change in cost and equipment.

Upon arriving to the other location, the staff was rude and unprofessional, equipment was out of stock and cost increased. When I tried to get the prices placed in writing on the date of reserving the truck, I was told I had to contact customer service myself. In speaking with a rep I found out the location rep was responsible for making the call. Customer Service authorized equipment and inconvenient refunds and claimed the case will be noted. I was instructed to call in after returning the rental truck and any rep will be able to process the refunds. I contacted customer service, and to no surprise, I was given the run-around. Notes could not be found, and when I requested contact information for upper management the rep claimed not to have the information. I submitted a customer experience/situation claim but I will not hold my breath as I expect no change in the company's service.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Reserved two trucks, 26 and 16 foot. Arrived at first location at 9 a.m. to pick up the 26 foot truck. There was a 26 foot truck in the parking lot, but the office was closed. Called Budget, transferred two times and put on hold for 22 or so minutes only to be disconnected. The second pick-up location for the 16 foot truck called to tell me they don't have a truck for the 10 a.m. pick-up and I should call Budget. Called Budget back and was told they would send both reservations to Inventory Manager and I would be contacted within 2 hours. Guess what? You got it. No call, no trucks, nada. Do yourself a solid and DO NOT RENT FROM BUDGET.

Original review: June 1, 2019

If I could give -100 stars, I would. While living in Chicago, I accepted a job offer in another state (Morgantown, WV). A few days later I made a reservation with Budget for 9 am the day of the move, with my movers arriving an hour later, between 10-11 am so me and my driver (I do not drive so had to add someone who could) could make the 10 hrs drive in one day.

I started work in Morgantown two weeks before I actual moved. So the day before the move, the plan was for my driver and I to fly back to Chicago, pick up the truck at 9 am the next morning, get the truck loaded by 1-2 PM and hit the road. Then, while we were waiting on our plane back to Chicago, I got a call from the location saying they might not have a truck until 11 am the next morning. I explained my situation and said that I really needed the truck at 9 am so my movers wouldn’t have to reschedule. She said she would work on it. In the meantime I made two calls to Budget customer service and they escalated the issue to an Chicago Inventory Management. I waited until the next morning when I woke up at 7 and still had no word from anyone.

I called the location back and the man simply told me they were CLOSED!!! For the day because the manager had an emergency and they had ZERO trucks. My response was promptly “WTF!?” So I called customer service back again explaining the new issue and the man escalated the issue directly to the inventory management manager. I get a call about a half hour later (it is now 9 am, my originally scheduled pickup time) from the inventory manager himself. He asks “Is this Jonathan?” I say “Yes” and he says “We’ve cancelled your truck reservation.” My immediate response was “Excuse me? You don’t even know my situation and you cancel my truck outright instead of rebooking for this weekend?!” He says “Yeah, we don’t have to talk to you.” My final response was “You’re a **!” and I hung up.

Long story short, I had to go to Milwaukee on an Amtrak train with my driver an hour later to pick up a Penske truck for almost twice the amount of the Budget truck rental since it was the day of the move. My movers were kind enough to work with me so I got the Penske truck loaded at about 6 Pm and we had to stay at a hotel near Indianapolis and are on the road as I type this. Moral of the story: Don’t use these **! They don’t care about you! They just want your money. In fact, I believe they should be boycotted and put out of business so the decent truck companies like Penske can take their market share.

Original review: May 29, 2019

We are still in the process of trying to get to our destination. We picked up our truck in Tulsa, OK and we trying to get to California on Truck number 3 ladies and gentlemen! Luckily the 1st two trucks were only a block away from the rental facility (1st one the blinkers didn't work and 2nd one we were told hadn't been serviced in such a long time that if we wanted to take it we could service it ourselves) and now we are 6 hours from Tulsa and the truck is slowly dying. We had to stop at a maintenance facility for a 2 hour delay to only be told it was fine to travel on. Now the truck won't go passed 50 miles an hour and is making a hissing noise every time we push the gas pedal. I wish like many of the other reviews, I would have read the reviews and not been enticed by the cheaper price. I guess you get what you pay for, but I'm not sure how you can run business like this and still be open. Better Business Bureau where you at?

Original review: May 29, 2019

I had requested a 12" truck rental in my city a month in advance and two days prior to the move I receive an email from Budget stating that they only have a 16" truck and I would need to travel to a different state in order to pick it up. After numerous customer service calls and claims, they were unable to fix the situation and were unwilling to compensate the rate. I ended up cancelling the reservation and going with a different company.

Original review: May 28, 2019

Made a trip from Arizona to California to bring back some furniture. I rented a truck from Budget weeks in advance for pickup on Sunday and returning it to Glendale Az by Wednesday (the time frame they gave me). We went to pick up the truck and I gave them my paperwork that I printed from their email confirmation. Now mind you they called two days before my pickup date to confirm I was picking it up. The guy looks in the computer and then goes to the young lady there and I see her mouth "we don't have any trucks". The guy comes to where I am standing and says, we don't have any truck available. I told them I reserved it weeks ahead, they called two days ago to confirm I was picking it up, and there is no truck. How the hell can that be.

I told him we drove from Az to Ca to pick up some furniture. What did he expect us to do now. I asked him when a truck would be returned as we were there until Monday, there was still hope. Nope, he said the people who had the truck decided not to return it until Wednesday (which was my return date). Went back to my sisters and called Corporate Office. Received a call from Corporate this is four hours after what was supposed to be a 9 AM pickup, (after our help had left). When they did call back our help had left so we were stuck. No apologies, these people could have cared less. I will never use these idiots again.

Now we have to make another trip and find another rental company because these people are incompetent. They couldn't take the time to call and say, "Hey there is an issue with your truck.." Not a dam word... Never again. I then get a call around 4PM asking when I was going to pick up my trailer from someplace I never heard of. Just unbelievable.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I don’t usually leave bad reviews but this company deserves it. If I could leave negative stars I would. I reserved a truck a month early for an out of town move and when I went to pick up the truck they did not only not have it but had it nowhere in the Denver area! The company told me it was no guarantee however the guy at the rental store said they never sent the rental info to him. Then they charged me for a no show fee! Worst customer service! Worst company! I will NEVER use this company again!

Original review: May 25, 2019

I rented a Budget truck and a car trailer to move across the country and it was honestly the worst experience of my life. 4 hours into our 30 hour drive, we broke down in Albuquerque, NM because a tire on the car trailer popped. I immediately called Roadside Assistance and put in a ticket for this simple problem to be resolved. Because I called around 3:00 PM on a Saturday, I figured it wouldn't take too long for them to find a replacement tire, but I was wrong. After waiting for FIVE HOURS, I was told they weren't able to find a tire and wouldn't be able to help us until MONDAY. They told us to stay in a hotel until then. This obviously wasn't an option for us, so after contacting a nearby Budget Truck Rental location and customer service, we had no other option but to take the car off of the trailer, drop the trailer off at the nearby location, and continue our drive with the car and truck.

I called multiple times to document exactly where the trailer was located and I was told I would be able to contact customer service at the end of our move for a refund. We got to St. Louis, MO and broke down once again. This time, the truck wouldn't start. I called Roadside Assistance and waited three hours for a mechanic. He was able to start the truck, but told us the starter was faulty and if we turned the truck off, we likely wouldn't be able to start it again. We luckily made it to our location without any more problems. Every time I called customer service or Roadside Assistance, I was on hold from anywhere between thirty minutes to over an hour. There were two occasions where I was on hold for over an hour, only for someone to pick the phone up and then immediately hang up without saying anything.

After we dropped our truck off, I called customer service to get a refund for the trailer, since we were not able to use it. I didn't inquire about them refunding us for the truck even though it broke down, I didn't inquire about the extra gas we had to spend driving our car unexpectedly, I didn't inquire about the extra hotel costs we were forced to have because these delays gave us an entire extra day on the road, I didn't inquire about the extra money we had to spend in food - just the trailer. I was told I would have to wait a week or two because there was an open investigation on the trailer we left behind for damages (the tire that blew). I was told once the investigation was complete, they would notify us if we would acquire ADDITIONAL FEES for the equipment.

I waited and called multiple times, only to be told they were not able to help me. I then put in a dispute with my credit card company because I was not getting anywhere with Budget. I called Budget during the dispute only to be told they were no longer able to talk to me until the dispute ended. They told me if I ended the dispute, they would further assist me with a refund. The dispute ended with my card (it was ruled in their favor) so I called Budget to try and resolve the issues again. I was put on hold many times, I was transferred from person to person, I was given many different number to call, but ultimately, I was told because my credit card ruled in their favor, they will no longer look into refunding us. I am completely appalled by the lack of customer service and the horrible quality of their products. I will never rent from Budget again.

Original review: May 24, 2019

It may be attractive to use Budget because they throw all these percent discounts and coupon codes at you, but the ~$50 cost savings is not worth the stress they put you through. The TLDR version: The CS rep I was working with was rude; his attitude on the phone was arrogant and unsympathetic to the predicament their inventory system put me in. There is really no point to their CS department other than to make your call a "ticket" number, with little to no information on what is going on with your "ticket" once it's made. I ended up canceling my reservation and going with U-Haul. Making a U-Haul reservation was efficient, they had an accurate representation of their inventory, and I was able to secure the truck I needed within 15 minutes - which is nearly 90% faster then waiting for their "inventory manager" to contact you back.

This long story is more for my benefit, but those that are curious: I made my reservation 3 weeks ago, and the day before I am scheduled to move I call the pick-up location to confirm we are all set, only to be informed that they do not have the truck I need. I'm instructed to call their customer service line to have them look through their inventory of available trucks in my area. Customer Service (CS) apparently doesn't have access to the "inventory" - it's all managed by the mysterious "inventory manager" that is only allowed to contact you, not you contact them. CS apologizes for my inconvenience, informed me my matter will be "escalated" and they will call me back within 15 minutes or 2 hours.

I call CS back 15 minutes before the 2 hour mark because I'm starting to get antsy, and wanted to know the status. CS informs me: "You still have 15 minutes left to await a call back from our inventory manager, if you don't receive a call, then you can call us back to check on the status." I ask why can I not be directed to the "inventory manager" now, it's only 15 minutes, as well as how does it make any sense for me to call customer service back, only to have the SAME conversation? Admittedly, I am terse and frustrated at this point, so my tone is not so sweet, but instead of understanding from the CS rep, I am getting attitude in response to my questions.

My questions are valid: where is my ticket? Why can't I speak with the "inventory manager" (or whomever) to get a realistic understanding of if I can get the truck I need? Why do they not have information on if my ticket is even being worked on? I will NEVER use Budget again for a truck rental purely based on their internal operations not being transparent or well understood, but also because their "bedside manner" for customer's needs not being met is grossly underwhelming.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I reserved a truck for our 1000 mile move 4 weeks before pick up. The location was 1.5 hours away. An hour before I was supposed to pick up the truck, while I was on my way, I received a call that the truck was not available. I was told I would receive a discount and a call back about possibly finding another truck. I never got a call.

I called service who told me the truck is available now 3 hours away the next day, a 6 hour round trip, and a $30 discount. Then, we get the truck on the road 3 hours and it breaks down. We had to wait hours for someone to come out and fix it. Because of this delay we asked that we drop the truck off later in the day to accommodate for the break down delay, they said no, they would charge $85 plus "additional fees". I will never do business with this company again. I don't see how this company is still allowed to do business after all of the customers they have completely screwed over. So, I'm out hundreds for movers and lost work. I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to have to speak to this company.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I made a reservation for a 16' truck 7 weeks before my move to Florida from Cincinnati, OH. I have called numerous times to try to get the particulars of the truck and to cancel the car carrier I had scheduled with it. I have been shoved from one department to the next. The twice I have been told my case was being escalated and I would receive a phone call in 50 min to 2 hours and I have still not heard from anyone. I am flying in and had to arrange transportation to pu the truck and then load that same day and then trek 22 hours to Florida the next morning. If you get Amber, Alex or Alexis do not waste your time speaking to them. They play a shell game with your reservations and if you get screwed they could care less. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME, MONEY AND EFFORT ON THIS COMPANY.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Do Not Rent From This Company. I made a one way reservations in Norfolk, Va for a 16” truck three weeks ago and I just received a phone call less than one hour before pickup time stating that it isn’t a truck available for pickup. I was told to call customer service so that they could find a truck available for me in the area. Once I called customer service I was told a inventory manager will give me a call, I had been over two hours and no one has called me yet. I have called customer service three times already, still no resolution.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information