1.05/5

Discover the right moving company for you

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

650 Budget Truck Rental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am writing this letter out of total dissatisfaction with Budget Truck Rental. I picked up the 16' truck and car dolly from Orange City, Fl on 10/29/2018. From the time my wife and I arrived we were treated less than favorable. I went inside and checked in with the agent. Her attitude came across as if I was interrupting her. I gave her my information and we proceeded to go through the process. She went outside and checked the vehicle and dolly. She came back and told me I could do a walk around if I wanted to. I took the paper and did my inspection. There was a discrepancy about the gas because the tank was not full but she marked it as full. That issue was never resolved. I pulled the truck to the front. My wife brought it to my attention that the running lights were not on.

I checked the lights and found the parking lights and running lights to not be functioning. My wife went inside to address the agent and her response was, "What do you want me to do?" She called a maintenance man named Nelson and he proceeded to tell us that it was normal that this is not a commercial truck and there are no lights. I have rented many trucks so I knew it was wrong. Then the left fender on the car dolly was hanging by 1 bolt. Nelson told us that it would be ok. After getting tired and losing time and a phone call to customer service, we headed home to load.

I called customer service after I arrived home and they told me there is a problem with the lights and they connected me to roadside assistance. They sent us a company at 10 o'clock that night. They did find that there was an electrical problem and it was repaired. We now had running lights and parking lights. But we were delayed from leaving due to waiting for roadside assistance.

The next day (10/30/2018) when I went to load the car on the dolly all the tires were extremely low and one tire was to point of almost flat. I called customer service and it took roadside service 3 hours to come out. Upon inspection there was an issue with the tire and it was replaced. Also upon inspection the tires on the truck and trailer were 10-15lbs. low.

We finally were able to leave and head to Vancouver, Wa. While riding through Georgia in the rain, the passenger side windshield wiper arm literally fell off. Fortunately I was able to immediately exit the highway and pull in a gas station. I called roadside assistance and 2 hours later both wipers were replaced and I was back on the road.

Maintenance seems to be lacking heavily with your company. It is posted very clearly in the cab of the truck that the truck is to be serviced every 6000 miles. Well this truck upon me taking the vehicle had 110,000 miles. The last time the truck was serviced was 102,000 miles. If your trucks were being serviced properly the issues that I encountered would or may not have happened. All of these issues are Safety Issues. I am concerned that safety is not important to your company. I feel as though you put my wife and I in danger.

I called about the headlights because of the poor vision at night. The lights are very yellow. The visibility at night was beyond unsafe. Roadside assistance had someone come out and adjust them. That did not fix the issue. Headlights over a period of time get old and lose their brightness. These headlights were so old it was frightening at times. I called Budget again in New Mexico and they set up for a company to come out. Well the company that called me was rude and told me that they weren't coming out to replace them. And they never did.

Finally after arriving in Washington and unloading, apparently the front right corner of the truck was leaking and my dining room table (wood) was soaking wet and damaged. I filed a claim about that. I would think that all vehicles should be cleaned. The inside of the cab was so nasty and dirty, it makes me wonder how you guys can send out a vehicle like that. And then it was ants everywhere in the cab. I had to purchase Raid in order to get rid of them. I have attached a picture of the towels that I used to clean the inside of the cab. The towels were new when I started.

In closing, Budget made this move just horrible. From the terrible customer service, to the safety issues, to just the lack of customer concern. I have been told that I will be compensated for all these issues. What I don't understand is that you guys take your money instantly after the completion of the reservation but have the nerve to tell me to wait 5-7 days for a response. I think that is unfair. I think your lack of concern for the customer is very evident. Budget put my wife and I through a terrible move. I have used you guys many times and won't ever use your company again. I am asking for a substantial refund. I believe in all fairness that I deserve that for what your company put us through. Put yourself in our shoes as customers. I look forward to your response.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Budget Truck and Rental should be out of business. I implore those reading this review to never use Budget. You are INFINITELY better off using Penske (for a cheaper option) or using the reliable U-Haul. Let me go into a little bit of detail. I booked a truck through Budget to move from one half of the country to the other. The drive was 20+ hours. Unfortunately, my move was due to a recent cancer diagnosis, as I was moving home to be closer to treatment and family. While I do not believe that necessarily entitles me to special treatment, I do think it warrants a little bit of empathy.

Fast forward to when I have the truck... the smell in the truck is BEYOND awful. I firmly believe it is the worst thing I have ever smelled. It was like a mix of mildew, diapers and a dead animal. The odor attached itself to EVERYTHING in the back of the truck, as well as the cab, which I was driving in for about 25 hours! One can imagine how frustrating this was, especially considering my circumstances.

I alerted Budget's Customer Service division as soon as the smell become too much to bear, and they put a note into the account. When I arrived at my destination, the smell was too potent on some of my items (especially clothing) and I had to throw several things out, which is a clear loss of money due to Budget not maintaining their equipment.

On top of all this, I returned the truck a DAY EARLY in my destination city, and was told there would be an extra charge for that of about $100. I did not understand and they said they were adding the fee for the last minute change. I explained that doesn't make sense, as my initially planned drop off location was not open on the day I returned the truck (Saturday) and wouldn't be open until Monday. I did not want to leave the key in a drop box, as I needed to explain to an employee the smell and show them. I called customer service immediately after drop-off to get compensation. I was unable to until "the reservation was closed". I called seven more times and they said every time that the reservation was not closed.

When my reservation was FINALLY closed on Wednesday (four days after drop off), I was able to discuss compensation options with Customer Service. I expected at least 50% considering the terrible conditions and loss of property. They offered $25. That amount doesn't even pay for 2 hours worth of gas. It was less than 5% of my total cost for the truck. I politely asked several times to multiple levels within customer service for a refund of the bogus $100 fee they stuck on me and ideally a little bit of money to replace my lost property. Their customer service managers were EXTREMELY curt and even after explaining my diagnosis, were extremely apathetic. At one point they said "After giving your situation extreme consideration, we do not believe any compensation over $50 is legitimate". They said that. To a cancer patient whose life they made miserable and whose property they ruined.

I am writing this review to hopefully persuade everyone reading to NEVER use Budget. I don't want to grandstand, but no one deserves that level of apathy and rudeness, let alone one going through cancer treatment. Budget will never see another cent from me, and with the way they treat their customers, I can only pray they go out of business.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We rented a truck from the Hickory North Carolina office and was given a truck with a check engine light already on. After we get home it broke down. Also two tires went flat on the set in our driveway waiting for a mechanic to come by and fix it. Took them almost one week to get somebody out there to fix it. Then he pumped up one tire, did not fix the check engine light, did not fix the other tire and left. I informed customer service. They said they would get someone out there. They never did. I end up having to pay another company $200 to have that truck removed from the yard before we incurred more charges for my former landlords.

After I get the truck towed to our storage facility we had to rent a U-Haul truck to get our remaining stuff from our home. While at our storage facility I parked both trucks back to back so no one would get into either truck to steal our stuff. Budget then had our U-Haul truck towed out of their way even though it was not in their way whatsoever and ended up doing over $15,000 worth of damage to our personal property inside the U-Haul truck and has never even tried to contact me. I have left multiple multiple multiple messages and no one has ever contacted me and they always give me some kind of running around every time I call their office. This is been going on for 6 months and I'm fed up then to top it all off when we got our bill they charged over $1,400 for a truck we never used and deducted from our bank account without our permission.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I rented a moving truck from Budget Rental. When I arrived home from there and started loading the truck discovered that the ramp was missing. I should have taken time to call them and let them know but was on a very tight schedule. When I returned the truck the guy did the usual walk around and ask me about the ramp. I informed him that a ramp was never on the truck. I called customer service and told them what had happened and of course it fell on deaf ears. Several days late a charge of (355.00) appeared on my credit card for the charge of the ramp. I feel I should not have to pay for something that I never received. I will never use Budget Rental Truck again.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Price was more at time of pick-up than when booking over the phone even after asking if price included taxes and fees. Was told truck had a ramp when in fact, it did not. Cab leaked rainwater onto the passenger during a storm. Windshield wipers did not work. Cab says "quiet ride" which is a joke since I had to stop for ** after an hour because the driver door would not close properly and made the loudest whistling noise. Had to stop along the way at a budget rental because tire pressure light came on. Told employee about the noise and was told the passenger could tape the driver side door close to help with the sound.

Oh and tire pressure light was on the whole ride. Refueling was triple what I had expected to pay-I have made the same trip with Uhaul and Penske four times before-but the truck has over 120k miles so I guess I should have seen that coming. Drop off location was incorrect. Found out when I went to an empty building and called their customer service. Then when I expressed all my grievances to an employee and asked for a supervisor, the rep was rude and said no one was available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Called for a truck rental price on Friday morning... The price was including taxes. When I arrived the amount was higher. Was told that I would have to call customer service. I was then told that I had to purchase the insurance or I could not rent the truck. I told him I had never paid for insurance with U-Haul. He said it changed a year ago & was required. So I was in need of truck so I paid for insurance. He handed me paperwork & said initial & sign. Not given chance to read. Then he took me to the truck. NEVER walked around it with me. Only opened door, wrote down mileage, told me to sign, handed me key & told me I was ready to go.

After driving all way from Asheville NC to Rossville GA. realized that I had no tail lights, no brake lights or turn signal on right rear. I called customer service to request money back on insurance since I was NEVER told that I could decline it. I signed the insurance paper with the understanding that I had no choice. The manager at customer service said because I signed it accepting the insurance. That they would not refund my money. I told him the only reason I signed was because I was told I had to.

I told him that I knew the phone call was being recorded & that I felt they owed me the insurance back, after all they had lied to me just to get me to take the insurance. I told him I was also recording the conversation. He said he didn't authorize me to record & hung up on me... If they was truthful & not deceiving & lying to sell their insurance...he would have cared about being recorded. SO RENTERS BEWARE. Budget should not even get a 1 star review.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

80 miles into a 800 mile relocation we had a serious Blowout on a Budget car carrier. We were towing behind a Budget 16 foot truck causing a near accident on a crowded freeway. Budget had the nerve to bill us for the repair plus an administrative fee totaling 350.00! All I have to communicate with is a third party collection firm that states they are not Budget and have a copy of a contract that states we must pay for a blow out that clearly was a defective tire.

I send the following demand back to the third party budget contracts with which explains our situation in more detail: "We take exception to the forwarded documentation of claim by your firm and further reserve our right to an equitable adjustment to recover cost incurred but not limited to loss of moving expenses, loss of equipment rental time, loss of beneficial use of rented equipment, and further considerations as allowed by laws of the State of Florida. So glad you contacted me. I was contemplating what we should do about the defective tire that blew out on interstate I-75 causing a delay in our travels and aforementioned losses incurred by my family. As indicated to you on the phone we only made it out of Naples Florida about 80 miles and the defective tire provided by Budget shredded to pieces nearly causing a multi-car pile up, as stated we barely made it off the travel lane where we sat for 2 hours inches from truck traffic.

Your firm is basing the subject claim on a tire repair bill as no one from Budget in Waynesville has any issue or has incurred any cost or cost of inspection, in other words the receiving Budget facility did not incur any inspection concerns. You do know it was a faulty tire that blew out on the interstate and that my disabled wife was forced to sit in the tow vehicle for two hours, she cannot walk, was unable to use a restroom or move out of harm's way. She was emotionally affected by this defective equipment failure which we shall address as our claim progresses. Please have your client retract this claim and order an immediate inspection and recertification of all vehicles currently leaving the Naples Florida operation. Your client in Naples deemed this vehicle safe to operate by signature and allowed the vehicle to leave the facility with defective equipment."

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Worse experience renting anything and the customer service dept is a joke. They are not professional in any way. They are liars and thieves. If you do rent expect extra charges including a common 82.00 fuel fee.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Rented a Budget truck for my move from Dallas, TX to NYC in August. Upon pick up, noticed there was over 160,000 miles on it. Figured a truck is a truck and set about my move. On my second day while driving through Virginia on a Friday afternoon close to 5:00 PM in a driving rain, the transmission torque converter failed. Was fortunate that a rest area was about 2 miles away and was able to limp to it on the shoulder and not get sideswiped by one of the many trucks using this interstate highway.

After talking with their roadside assistance "hotline", I had no way to believe that Budget was going to be able to get me a new truck in a reasonable amount of time late on a Friday in the middle of an area that was not largely populated. Wait 1 or 2 days or take the matter into my own hands? Fortunately a Home Depot was in the previous town 10 miles away and they rent Penske trucks. After a $40 Uber ride and Home Depot stays open until 8:00 PM, they had an identical truck for rent (with less than 20,000 miles to boot). Problem: It was over double the amount I had already paid Budget. You have to pay it.

I wrote to Budget and they would reimburse me for the amount of the Budget truck rented in Dallas. They would not reimburse me for the more expensive truck I was required to rent because their equipment was old and faulty. I eventually wrote the CEO of Budget / Avis group. I never had the courtesy of a reply email, call or letter. So, two issues with Budget: A: Old equipment being put on the road to consumers that faces the risk of failure on customers, B: Poor customer experience to try and make things right with the customer. I will always share my experience with Budget and only rent from them as a last, last resort.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

To start I will be as specific as I can with our experience. First we have moved numerous times in the last 4-5 years as I travel for work. We have always used U-Haul as they have always provided excellent service, equipment, and our overall experience with them has been wonderful. However, with Budget Truck that was not the case. We reserved our budget truck because the price was actually better this time around and we could use the savings.

Upon arriving to the pickup location, we felt pressured to purchase the insurance on the truck. It was not struck to my attention that it was a good idea until our review of the truck and our walk around. The truck right from the start was beat up pretty good, more than your typical rental truck and nothing like I have seen before. The rear was bent, support bars were busted, the license plate was also missing, only a small corner still attached. There was mud caked all over the steps and fuel tank area, the cargo are was filthy! Not dirty, but downright filthy! There was a puncture through the cargo wall to the outside. The cargo door rail was also busted! We did not have much of a choice given our time frame etc.

When I got into the cab it got even worse. The interior smelled awful, it looked like something literally exploded in the cab, stains all over the headliner, the seats, dash, floors, door panels were nasty! The steering wheel was sticky and the console was held together with tape!!! Upon arriving to our location we started to unload the truck come to find out the cargo lights did not work, so it was very dangerous for us trying to unload with no lights, the load shifted as the truck rides rough, so it was very scary trying to ensure neither of us got hurt and unloaded safely. We only had a 277 mile trip to make, the fuel said over 440 miles till empty. We stopped at 194 miles to put fuel in $60 worth, did not even give us a half tank. We drove the other 80 miles and put $40 more in the tank, the fuel cut off at the pump as if it was full. Upon getting back on the road it showed only 3/4 of a tank.

I was furious! Our card was maxed for our daily allowance with our personal bank, we could not put the last quarter tank in upon drop off. Today We just got a charge for $82?! For what I am guessing the be the 1/4 tank. The turn in contract shows the fuel level on pickup and fuel level on drop off and they were very close to the same mark. We did our part, we took the insurance, we put the fuel in, and the whole time it was fighting against us. There must be a way Budget Truck can make this right. It was unacceptable the condition of the truck they rented to us. I even took it upon my self to ask for someone to contact us on our contract during the turn in.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

To start I will be as specific as I can with our experience. First we have moved numerous times in the last 4-5 years as I travel for work. We have always used U-Haul as they have always provided excellent service, equipment, and our overall experience with them has been wonderful. However, with Budget Truck that was not the case. We reserved our Budget truck because the price was actually better this time around and we could use the savings. Upon arriving to the pickup location, we felt pressured to purchase the insurance on the truck. It was not struck to my attention that it was a good idea until our review of the truck and our walk around. The truck right from the start was beat up pretty good, more than your typical rental truck and nothing like I have seen before. The rear was bent, support bars were busted, the license plate was also missing, only a small corner still attached.

There was mud caked all over the steps and fuel tank area, the cargo area was filthy! Not dirty, but downright filthy! There was a puncture through the cargo wall to the outside. The cargo door rail was also busted! We did not have much of a choice given our time frame etc. When I got into the cab it got even worse. The interior smelled awful, it looked like something literally exploded in the cab, stains all over the headliner, the seats, dash, floors, door panels were nasty! The steering wheel was sticky and the console was held together with tape!!! Upon arriving to our location we started to unload the truck. Come to find out the cargo lights did not work, so it was very dangerous for us trying to unload with no lights, the load shifted as the truck rides rough, so it was very scary trying to ensure neither of us got hurt and unloaded safely.

We only had a 277 mile trip to make, the fuel said over 440 miles till empty. We stopped at 194 miles to put fuel in $60 worth, did not even give us a half tank. We drove the other 80 miles and put $40 more in the tank, the fuel cut off at the pump as if it was full. Upon getting back on the road it showed only 3/4 of a tank. I was furious! Our card was maxed for our daily allowance with our personal bank, we could not put the last quarter tank in upon drop off.

Today we just got a charge for $82?! For what? I am guessing the be the 1/4 tank. The turn in contract shows the fuel level on pickup and fuel level on drop off and they were very close to the same mark. We did our part, we took the insurance, we put the fuel in, and the whole time it was fighting against us. There must be a way Budget Truck can make this right. It was unacceptable the condition of the truck they rented to us. I even took it upon myself to ask for someone to contact us on our contract during the turn in.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I rented a 16' truck from Budget a few weeks ago and received great customer service from all of the employees that I met. I picked up the truck the evening before my move, Linda at the front desk was fast in getting me out the door and on my way! I didn't have any problems with the truck except it was smaller than what I needed and we had to make two trips to the Western Slope from Denver. That was totally our fault in misjudging the size. I called Budget when I realized this and they let me use the truck an extra day for only $5.50 more! Terry figured it out at the lowest possible price! I've waited till now to write a review thinking this can't be true, I'm sure I'll see an extra charge on my bank statement or something. But I did not. They kept their word and were the best company to work with!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I reserved a truck online a week before I was to move. 45 minutes before the reserved time I got a phone call from Budget saying they didn't have a truck yet for my 9:00 AM reservation, but would call when they had one. I told them my reservation was for 9:30. They responded with "Ya, well, we don't have a truck yet". I asked how long it would be until they had one, and she responded with "We'll give you a call".

An hour later I still hadn't heard anything. I had friends and family scheduled to help move that day and couldn't wait around all day. Tried calling several times, but kept getting a message that all the Representatives were busy and to call back later. Finally got a callback, and was told they're sorry, but they didn't have a truck. I asked about getting the deposit back and they said it was only charged to my account after picking up the truck. Wish I had checked these reviews before renting from Budget as I see this is a common occurrence with them. Won't be renting from them again. Fortunately U-Haul had a truck available last minute even though it cost more money. Had to rent a smaller truck and make two trips because that's all they had available. Really disappointed in Budget.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I reserved a 16ft truck from John's Pack and Ship in Ann Arbor Mi. I also rented a car dolly for 76 dollars. When I got there all they had was a flatbed trailer and they charged me 152 dollars. Went I went back the guy said call customer service. Never told me it was more money. I cannot get my money back till I return the truck which I need my money to travel. I would not recommend renting from this place.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I made a truck reservation on Monday for the upcoming weekend, Friday, 5:30pm - Sunday 5:00pm. On Tuesday I received a phone call from the Nanuet location where I was scheduled for pick-up informing me that they will not have a truck available for me. I was advised to call their 1-800 number to speak with an inventory manager. The inventory manager transferred my reservation to their Lodi, NJ location for pick-up on Friday (45 minute away from my home). When I received my confirmation via email I noticed that my drop-off date was incorrect. I called back to have this corrected. This issue happened two more times before they got my reservation right. On Wednesday I called the Lodi location to make sure they have my reservation. I was assured that they received it and that there were no problems.

On Thursday I called again, this time to ask if I could have the truck keys picked up earlier in the day and return for the truck after hours to avoid cutting into my work schedule. I do not recall the name of the man I spoke with, but he was very short and rude. In an angry tone he informed me that the truck needs to leave the lot with me when I pick-up the keys. I understand that, rules are rules but there's no need to be nasty about it.

Friday comes around and I leave work early knowing that I will have a 45 minute drive to Lodi, NJ as a result of their previous inventory issue. I arrive at the designated location at 5:11 only to be told by Kim that there is no truck available for me and that someone should have called me. No one called me! There was a truck sitting on the lot just like the one I reserved. When I asked if I could take that truck she informed me it was reserved for someone else for the following day. I told her this was unacceptable and that it needed to be resolved because I need a truck and have a reservation. Kim stated she would contact her manager to see what could be done. In the 40 minutes I stood there watching her click away on the computer, I thought she was trying to resolve the problem at hand. Little did I know, SHE DID NOTHING.

After standing that long with my mother and disabled son I asked her for a follow-up since I knew the office was closing. All she had to say was there is no truck available and I could call the 1-800 number to speak with inventory. I was astounded and not in a good way. I asked again that she give me the truck parked in the lot, and yet again she refused because first she stated I could have it for a few hours and need to bring it back before Saturday morning (It was now almost 6pm on Friday), then her story switched to I cannot have it at all because it needs to be serviced after hours and then given to someone else.

How is it that I made a reservation which was first changed to a pick-up location 45 minutes from my house resulting in me losing work time, paying tolls, and using up gas to drive all the way down there and back to NY. How is it that my reservation was then not honored, but someone else's reservation for the following day was set in stone and could not be moved. To make matters worse, no form of assistance or reasonable accommodation or attempts of were made. She offered me a van that wouldn't even fit my couch. That is useless! I am a single mother with a disabled child, I am scheduled to move tomorrow morning at 9am (friends took off from work to help me), I have to be out of the house otherwise I lose my $1,800 security deposit, I lost work hours to pick-up my reserved truck from a location that was arranged by Budget's inventory manager, and I DID NOT get a truck.

I am 13 hours away from needing to move since I am moving over an hour away from my current home, and I do not have a truck. Friends changed their entire schedules to help me and my son. This process was stressful enough on its own, but this is ridiculous. I am infuriated and disappointed beyond words. I am not a cryer and this company has managed to bring me to the level of tears. When I called their 1-800 number I was told that they "apologize for the inconvenience". INCONVENIENCE?!? This is not an inconvenience, this is a disaster! I was told the best they could do is send a request to inventory to call me regarding the issue and it could be anywhere from 15 minutes to the following day at 10 am.

It is now nearing 9pm on Friday and NOTHING! I did not receive a call at any point in the day or previous days informing me that my truck will not be available. Instead I received 6 confirmation emails. When I mentioned this to customer service I was told they cannot confirm a truck will be available, they can only confirm the price and that it's written in the fine print. This is the worst rental company I have ever come across. I am disgusted with the way they handle (or in this case don't handle) over-booking issues, customers, etc. There is no customer service, only disappointment, frustration, and loss of money. I was supposed to have a moving truck over three hours ago and I have nothing. Budget is a disgrace and I will NEVER work with this company again and strongly urge others to avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Do not go with Budget. Had a truck rental scheduled way in advance. Got a call the day before we were moving out of state telling me they didn’t have a truck for me then telling me I needed to go out and find my own company. Not even trying to help me find another truck. On top of that charging me a no-show fee because I didn’t show up to get a truck that day and then when I call customer care they tell me to be professional. Excuse me. Then telling me they won’t refund me the interest on my credit card for a problem that they should’ve never caused. ** Budget Rental. I will never rent from them again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

So my family & I (my husband, my 3 year old son, our one dog & two cats) are moving from Illinois to South Florida. Having a deadline by Tuesday, we were gonna drive straight through. We get to Manchester, TN & the truck's transmission shuts down. Barely making it to a hotel at 7 pm Sunday night, we called and waited to talk to someone for an hour, then waited another 3 hours waiting on the mechanic. Mind you we had to spend $125 on a hotel. Finally the mechanic comes out at 10:40 pm. Saying it was just a sensor, well next day (Monday) we leave at 5 am. 20 min into our drive the same thing happens. Now I’m stuck on the side of the highway with no AC, 2 cats, a dog and 3 year old. Beyond livid. As we still have 11 hours to go.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Today I was notified less than 24 hours before my move that Budget’s online reservation service overbooked their Halethorpe, MD location and they would not have a truck for me. They said I had to call your 1-(800) number to cancel or change because they don’t have the ability to do so. Customer Service wanted me to pay $50 to cancel the reservation within 48 hours even though they didn’t have the truck available. The only solution they offered was to change the location of truck pickup to one further south of my pickup.

This forced their system to charge me for two days instead of one. After 3 hours of being on the phone, the only solution offered was for me to rent the truck for two days and then call next week and request one day be reimbursed. Even though my original reservation was for only one day. I am currently serving active duty in the US Air Force and me and my fellow service members move frequently. At this current moment I would not recommend any service member to ever do business with Budget Truck Rental after my experience today.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

BUYER BEWARE! BUDGET gave me a truck with GRAFFITI all over one side! Then I was honked at and yelled at to leave the lot in Atlanta! Then the tumbler was BROKEN and the key was stuck! Then, DUE TO AN OVER-INFLATED TIRE, the TREAD BLEW on the freeway and the gas neck hung down. Dangerous. We were told we would be helped within 1 hour. It took 4 hours! I lost my help to unload and had to hire movers, costing me more money. I was told by Budget Customer Service I would be compensated within 3 business days. When returning the truck in the rain, it began RAINING on me from INSIDE THE TRUCK, because the seal was broken. Dangerous again.

Then, after returning the truck to this Knoxville location, I was told customer service would help me and compensate me within 3 business days. I called customer service, they said 5-7 business days. It's now been 11 days and I've heard nothing!! I was just transferred from person to person for an hour until I heard from an answering machine they were closed. BUDGET HAS BEEN A TOTAL NIGHTMARE. Negligent to the damage their truck could have caused. Terrible customer service and they keep lying to me. They say they want to take care of their customers and I keep being assured that I'll be reimbursed, but then I hear nothing back from them. What a terrible, dishonest company.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We made a Budget Truck Rental reservation online about one week prior to our moving day. My husband arrived at the Columbus, Ohio location as scheduled and had to wait TWO HOURS just to check in with the one employee that was working there. After his extended wait, he was told that they overbooked their trucks for the weekend and that he would have to drive to a different location. He drove to the other location (about 25 minutes away) only to wait for another HOUR. When he finally reached the check-in desk, they too were oversold on trucks. He then had to drive to a third location (30 minutes away) to finally retrieve our reserved rental. They offered a 20% discount for the trouble but any company with basic customer service standards would have covered the entire bill. Worst truck rental experience ever.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We used Budget Rental to move our belongings from MN to Cali. The truck broke down in Iowa, made it 400 mi, only to sit all afternoon on hold, trying to get a human voice on the phone. Finally they send a service truck out to confirm, we are broke down, motor sounds like it's falling apart (I already told them this 3 hrs earlier, but I guess they needed to hear it from someone else. We were told we would get another truck sent out ASAP... We have checked into a motel, luckily we were close to one, and I'm still waiting on that other truck to come or at the very least, a phone call letting me know the status. Hopefully we get a call in the morning and can get going but from my experience so far, DO NOT use this company if you need to go far, if you break down somewhere on a Friday... You're on your own!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Rented a truck in advance for cleaning out my dad's estate. Drove four hours to pick up rental and waited an hour to get information that they had no truck for me AND charged me a no show fee. Do not rent from this company.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

SAVE MONEY AND POSSIBLY YOUR LIFE AND SOMEONE ELSE'S. Two issues but most importantly they gave my wife and I a truck that was in bad shape electronically. Four times during the rental the engine cut out on us. The first time scared the ** out of us! We were going slightly downhill and making a turn right to go towards the on ramp for the Ross Island Bridge. The engine cut off and thus no power to either the steering nor the brakes. We started to go in to the

oncoming traffic and we're very lucky the attentive drivers coming toward us were able to veer away. Because the power cut out and we were not prepared for this the steering all of a sudden became difficult and that is why we went in to the other lane and we were on a slight decline and since the brakes also had no power I had to push my back very hard in to the seat and use both legs to push on the brakes as hard as I could to stop the truck.

Once we did that we were able to put the truck in to park and start the engine again. This happened 3 more times. Fortunately we did not get hit and were able to restart the engine. One time it happened on the I-5 freeway but we were able to coast to the shoulder before needing to stop. Also, with about 60 miles left on the trip the check engine light came on and so now our stress level goes up worrying about what else will happen. I mean was it going to catch fire? So much

already was happening with this truck. When I returned the truck the man at the counter said he could not do anything and to call customer service after 48 hours so that the rental would be in their system. He did say he was going to take the truck out of service and have it checked out but he saw that the check engine light was on and suggested that maybe it was an electrical problem.

This was very important to us and reassuring because if someone else drove this truck and was harmed or hurt someone else we'd have to live with it. He also said he was not going to have me sign the credit receipt due to these problems. Since then we were offered only $30 for our terrifying experience, then $39, and they weren't going to give a dime more back. We knew we should have taken pictures or video's but when you're in a situation like that you don't think of those things. We just wanted to get back safely and in one piece for our Grandson to be born the following day. This horrible business must think that getting $230 is worth the bad press they will get. I'm wondering if the corporate office ever hears the complaints, or cares, if so how do they sleep at night. Like I said go somewhere else, clearly they don't care about your safety! I gave this shady operation 1 star because I couldn't give it zero.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

As a business account we reserved a truck three months in advance of an event. With a confirmation number we thought we were set. Two days prior to our business event we were told there was no truck and no solution. Certainly not a way to do business but reading these reviews seems this happens fairly often.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

We reserved our moving truck two-three weeks in advance before coming to retrieve it. Get to the rental place and they tell us we need to fill out a form about personal insurance covering the truck. Expected. Our insurance didn’t cover anything so we were then informed we would need to pay an additional $300 just to even get into the truck because we were mandated to get insurance. Was never disclosed to us and we had talked to budge multiple times over the few weeks to make sure everything was in order. We called other branches and nothing could be done. We found a location that wouldn’t mandate insurance but cannot transfers trucks/carriers amongst each other. That makes no sense. Waste of time with this company.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I made a reservation for a moving truck two weeks in advance, received confirmation and reminder emails from Budget, arrived at the designated location on time only to wait in line for 40 minutes then be informed that they had no truck for me. The less than helpful agent told me a customer service rep was working on finding one and would contact me shortly. I never heard from anyone. Do not rely on the Charlotte, NC area Budget Rental companies.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

2 Issues: First, I rented a moving truck a few months ago with a tow dolly. The dolly was defective, broke (not user error, but an actual piece of the dolly), and resulted in my car being dumped on the road while I was driving. Budget refused to pay for my car or admit fault. Stupid me. I let it go as a "one-off." Fast forward a few months, and I returned a truck on the day and time that I had reserved it (actually an hour early). I called the truck supplier to see if he had the truck, and he informed me that he did, but there were a bunch of people that needed trucks so he wasn't sure if he would have enough. I asked if it would be a problem if I came in a few hours early to pick it up. He said no, so I did. When I returned the truck an hour before the original reservation time, I was informed that I was late, and I was charged $127. Terrible company, terrible customer service. I hope they get what is coming to them.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Beware of the great deal you think you're getting with the 20% discount because they charge 91 dollars for their insurance and that is the cheap one... And if you return your truck a day late they charge you 85 dollars PLUS the insurance AGAIN!! It cost us 450 dollars for a 2 day move!!! We have learned our lesson and will only use U-Haul from now on but I don't want someone else to go through what we did so please beware!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I reserved a truck at the local Budget office a couple weeks before we needed it. I received two confirmations, including one a couple days before the rental. When I showed up to get the truck, there were two other people who had showed up and no trucks. There was nothing for me either. The Budget agent said the company overbooks all the time. Very common. We had 8 people ready to work - the day was wasted. No sympathy from Budget. Got a form letter from a "Level 2 Customer Service" rep who said the fine print in the reservation agreement says that trucks are not guaranteed. Well, my future business with Budget is certainly not guaranteed - and, in fact, will never happen again.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I booked a truck for an out of town move 3 wks in advance, even had a confirmation number. Drove 4 hrs on Friday night after work and arrived at 7:30 on a Saturday morning to pick up my truck. No trucks available, no apologies. I WILL NEVER SPEND ANY OF MY MONEY ON A BUDGET TRUCK RENTAL AND I URGE YOU TO DO THE SAME! THIS COMPANY SUCKS!

Budget Truck Rental Company Information