Call toll free
2.12/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More
Accredited
Toll free number

7950 ADT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: July 25, 2018

When I first started with ADT, my nephew was selling them. I was originally in Midway, and when I moved, I got ADT down here and there was a man that came and sold me the service down here. I don’t have a lot of extras other than my security system but I’m happy with it. It makes me feel good to know that I can go to bed at night and not have to worry. Also, I love that I can set the mobile app or take it off when I’m not at home.

However, the system kept going down right after we moved in. I couldn’t set it from the remote. I thought I was setting it from the control panel but I wasn’t. ADT sent somebody out here who tinkered with it and said it had a key mobile chip in it and it needed a Verizon chip because it would pick up better. That lasted a little bit of time and the same thing started happening again. I don’t know what was going on with ADT but they had some folks on loan. There were two of them who came that day. One man told me he was from Florida and he was sent up here. He worked a couple of weeks before going back home. He found that my old house in Midway had the number and everything was still in the computer system. He went through a process and once he got that out of the system, I’ve never had any more problems with it. I would highly recommend ADT.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2018

We've been in our home for 30 years and because my parents had it out on the Key, it was just kind of a no-brainer for a young family to have protection for fire, burglary and everything else. We got an interesting system. It's called the Simon System, which was used in the Pentagon back in those days. Everything is wireless and very sophisticated so we're real happy and this is through ADT.

But when they put the battery-operated contacts on all the windows and doors -- from skylights to garage door -- they recommended with a sticker right on it that you must use Duracell batteries. So under contract they would come out when we had a failed unit and put in Duracell batteries. One night we woke up to a horrible alarm. We thought somebody was breaking in the house. It turned out to be a contact. After that we called technician. The Duracell batteries leaked. They're famous for leaking. After I did more and more research I found out you should never use Duracell battery in anything that you have because it doesn't matter if you're in Florida or Alaska, they are vented batteries and they will ruin your appliances.

ADT was so amazing. They came in and they replaced every single one in the house. Typically, the bill would have been about $1,800 and I didn't have to pay a dime because they realized that this was no fault of the homeowner. They were responsible for the batteries and they were actually poisoning the unit by putting the Duracell in there. So their new units are all lithium batteries which cannot leak and they don't use Duracell anymore.

But I was so happy because at first, I'm thinking, "My god. It's been in the house for all these years. I'm sure I'm gonna be responsible for something." And they have been so good. We're very pleased with their responses to alarms and just the way they work. We wouldn't go anywhere else. They're all pros and they all do follow-up to make sure you're happy, which to me is amazing in this day and age.

Original review: June 21, 2018

ADT sucks and they are no good. The alarm was triggered a couple of months ago. I was leaving the house and I set the alarm. After I left, ADT called and they wanted to know whether they needed to dispatch. I told them no and that it was me. I was already two miles away from the house. I just set it and it was okay, but they didn't ask me for my password. They didn't ask anything in spite of the fact that I told them to cancel. I dropped my daughter at school two miles away and came back here. As I was pulling to the driveway, they dispatched the fire truck and police and they were here.

I called and made a complaint on that. The lady that took the complaint said that she was gonna follow up on that and that she was gonna call me back to let me know. However, she never called me back up until today. Furthermore, sometimes the ADT reps don't ask for the password. The rep asked one of the four things, but they need to know that the people in the house are the people that are setting the alarm, whether it's accidental or something like that, so I didn't like it.

Also one time, I was watching the news and the commercial kept coming up. The monthly dues went down for some people, so I called them and I asked why they can’t give me the same rate. They said that it was for incoming members or new people. I said that I was sitting with them for almost 9 or 10 years and they should be giving customers like me the same deal they're giving the people coming in. After all, we've been tenured with the system. They said okay and took $2 something out, although a month right after, they put it back to what it was.

Sometimes ADT responds quickly and sometimes they respond late. I live in an area that is safe, for now, and they take it for granted. You'd never know, things may change. Sometimes they call the house, sometimes they call the cell phone, and sometimes they call my wife's phone to make sure everybody's okay. So far, my ADT experience is good and at this point, I don't want to change.

Original review: June 13, 2018

A friend of mine had ADT and I asked her questions about the service and who her contact was. I have security at my business but not here at the house. I decided to make the next step and install security here. Corey came over and showed me what they offer. He was not pushy, which was good. He just showed some things and gave his suggestions. The experience was really great. The installers came right on time, 8 o’clock, on the dot. They showed me what they were gonna be doing and if I'd ask them questions, they were happy to help me.

At first, it was really overwhelming with all of the information so I grabbed a notebook. I know the system came with manuals but if I write it down, I can retain it better. They were patient as I wrote down everything they were trying to say. I’ve had the system for over a month and it has become a lot easier to use. Also getting on the ADT website to add or delete codes to give certain people access has been really user-friendly. I had gotten outdoor and indoor cameras, as well as glass break sensors, motion sensors and the doorbell in my front door. Every time somebody walks by the front door, it sets the motion off and I get the alert. I was able to talk with the lady who was watering my plants through my doorbell while I was in another country. Also, it's nice to be able to move the cameras around as they’re not permanent. They also look high-def. The quality is really nice and I can zoom in.

I’ve been very pleased with the system. I set the alarm off the first time but I had gotten it right before they called. I also have motion sensors and glass break sensors at my store. And when I was out of the country, ADT called because something tripped so we had gotten that taken care of. The store was closed that day and it was nice having that peace of mind that somebody else is watching after the store. I really enjoy being able to look at my home. When my 18-year old daughter came home, I left the Pulse app open so she could see the live view of our living room from my phone. I'd highly recommend ADT.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I really like ADT. I've been with them for over 25 years and I'm pleased with them. Otherwise, I would have gotten rid of them before now. There was a time where I had gone up to church and I came back and someone had tried to push the window in to get in, and I have these alarm things in the windows and ADT had called the police evidently. And the person didn’t get a chance to get in. So when I got in from church, I called them back and they notified me. ADT's representatives so far have been nice. They tried to help me with whatever problems that I have. I'm 83 now and I maybe a little tiresome sometimes, but they’ve always been respectful and courteous to me. I had a young man came, Mike, and he checked my cameras outside. There was a big something in the tree and I couldn’t see outside, so he was kind enough to get his ladder off of his truck and get on and he reached up and then take it out for me.

My daughter also had ADT, and I was living alone and I happen to see a young man. Every time he would come through the yard, he would come up close to the patio where I didn’t have any alarm and I was telling her about that. She said, “Mommy, you should get an alarm system. Because you're there by yourself, it's dangerous.” So I called ADT and they came and they put my system up. I have also referred two other people to them and they also got ADT. One lady was telling me about how she was a little frightened down in Carbondale, Illinois. I told her I have the ADT system and that if someone comes to the windows and door, the alarm will go off and they’ll alert the police. And I said, “They will protect you like that.” And also another young lady down in Arizona who I was speaking with got ADT also. I tell them about feeling safe with ADT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 22, 2019

I wouldn't wish ADT on an enemy. Their so-called security products are utterly defective. When calling for support, no one cares. Promised calls are not returned aeb Kayla ** @ (866) 623-8422. No returned call. No last name manager "Matt" is never 'at his desk'...Matt must spend his day in the restroom, hiding from his responsibilities. My security system has not worked properly since an supposed upgrade last year. I paid over $800.00 to upgrade, everything became worse. Secuity cameras that don't work, false alarms in the middle of the night. It's hardly comforting to have a system stating that an outer door is open at midnight...they don't care. They don't care one bit! All this company cares about is misrepresentation and fraud. I will be getting rid of them asap. Future consumers...BEWARE!! !

ADT response

Hello Lisa- We are sorry to hear about your experience. We were not able to locate an active ADT account. However it does show that you have an active P1 account we will forward your concern to there management team. Please allow 24-48 hours for a response. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2019

I want to give -0 stars but unfortunately that’s not an option. I barely had this company for a month and all it’s been was problems. I’ve needed the technician come out 4 times already for the same problem and now once again I have to call again because of equipment failure and this is supposed to be a security company. Meanwhile they can’t even get their own equipment to work properly. I have a issue where I have a restraining order on someone that’s why I needed to have a security system with video to begin with. Well great security when the security aka video doorbell I have doesn’t even work. To add insult to injury I have to take days of that’s not paid mind you for every time they have someone come out. I’m either going to get killed by my stalker or lose my job for taking off so many days.

Do you think they care (rhetorical). So here I am now lime a jerk waiting until their authorized dealer aka “Defender” to open at 8 a.m. eastern time to set up a 5th and final time to attempt to get this right. I’ve done everything on my end including but not limited to have the “official ADT” company walk me through steps via phone to try to rectify the situation to no avail. Even removing the doorbell and charging it for 8 plus hours just to wake up this morning and nothing. I have NEVER in my entire life have had such a negative experience to the point of nausea. Not to mention my anxiety has reached a fever pitch that I literally broke down and cried right before I wrote this review.

I’m sure most people wouldn’t have given them a second let alone a 5th chance but when you’re in a predicament as mine where your life is on the line you convince yourself to keep trying. But at this point I think I’m all tried out and am definitely ready to cancel my contract and go with a way better company such as Slomin's or such. I wouldn’t recommend this company if it was completely and utterly free. Poor installation. Poor customer service and the fact that they are not 24/7 to help you with equipment failure. I would rate this company a “F”.

ADT response

Hello- We are sorry to hear about what you are going through and the issues you are having with your system. Please reach out to us for assistance. Please also include your phone number, address and include this post. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 17, 2019

My former provider "Reliance" had a personal touch and I could always reach someone when a rare issue arose. However, since ADT took over the personal touch has left with them. Now I simply get automated calls to inform me of a known issue with my system that I myself called in weeks before ADT even noticed and would be resolved by now if they had an inkling of how to schedule and keep appointments.

ADT response

Hello Tony- We are sorry to hear about your experience. We see that you are located in Canada. We are happy to forward your concerns to the Canadian team to make sure you are taken care of. Thank you for reaching out to us. -Jackie

Original review: May 14, 2019

We had ADT services for about 8 years. Price kept creeping up every year with no improvement in service or equipment. For the amount I paid, I could have been monitoring 5 houses with Ring Security (with more sensors per house). Additional problem is this: our system was connected via landline. The issue is that if you do not use your landline for anything but ADT, your line may be cut by burglar, disconnected by phone service provider, damaged by various contractors digging in the area and you would not know about it. ADT's system is flawed because it would still allow you to arm it and it will not even check if you still have the active line to enable monitoring.

Our phone line got damaged 4-5 months ago by some contractors digging in the area and we did not know about it. We continued to use ADT, thinking we are still getting monitoring. When I found out and decided to switch, ADT was not willing to issue refund for the months when we had no service and proceeded to charge for next month of "services" even after I requested to cancel.

It is unacceptable for security hardware, when it is "monitored", to allow setting it to Armed, while the communication with the service provider does not exist - equipment must be designed to check and alert the user when there is no active line. On top of that, the service provider must be checking periodically that it has connection with their equipment. Bad design, bad customer service and overpriced.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have been a customer for 5+ years and it is insane that I continue to be a customer. I am so upset with the level of technical issues with our system. We have yet to have a system working correctly. If it is one component that gets fixed another component doesn't work. I get calls every 6 hours from ADT regarding one of our monitors. I had a technician at our house on Friday morning and within 30 minutes of him leaving we had another call from ADT about part of our system going off.

We had the fire department at our house because a smoke detector going off. We weren't even cooking or had a fire. I had to pay $200 to the fire department for a false alarm. This has happened numerous times. I hope to find an alternative to home security and am going to cancel and ask for all my money back. It is terrible and nobody should have to deal with this type of service. The system is supposed to be for security and I don't even want it turned on bc the only people calling me is ADT about problems they created.

ADT response

Hello- We are sorry to hear about the experience that you've had. We have located the account and reached out to our local service/install management team for assistance. Please allow 24 business hours for a response. If you do have additional concerns in the mean time you can reach out to us at alwaysthere@adt.com. -Jackie

Original review: May 13, 2019

Was an ADT customer for 18.5 years. I had the old style windows and doors sensors with monitoring. Never got the new fancy stuff - motion sensors or cameras. Never had a reason to alert them (safe neighborhood). They just raised their rates on us after 18.5 years, by 8% when they have never done anything for us after install - NOTHING.

We called to cancel. We were treated rudely, told "ADT is in charge and you have to pay for an EXTRA month of service." We pay quarterly in advance and were calling to cancel mid month of the last month in the quarter. We will be charged an entire new month after this quarter ends to cancel. There is no reason why. When we asked, we were told, "you WILL pay." They will wreck your credit if you don't. They don't tell you this when you sign up and they don't present you with the contract that you are agreeing to, simply by paying your bill. UNBELIEVABLE. You will regret using this company. We will NEVER use ADT EVER AGAIN! I hope this company dies soon.

ADT response

Hello- We are sorry to hear about the experience that you have had. Thank you for being such a long time customer with us. We are sorry to hear about the unfortunate cancellation of the account. Can you please email us with the correct account information so we may review your concern? -Jackie

Original review: May 13, 2019

Eight months ago I purchased the ADT Security system for my 77 old mother after my father passed away. Last week the system stopped working. Customer service said the soonest they could get a technician out was a week away. In the meantime my mother called and they tried to talk her through troubleshooting and in the process has her take the faceplate off of the outlet without killing the circuit breaker. The tech arrived today and replaced the radio device that communicates with the phone company.

The system is working but we are billed for the radio. We have the Quality Service Plan (QSP) that should handle that service fee. The reason we are given that we are going to have to pay is that the new radio will be compatible with the new 4G LTE service and that is not part of QSP. Selling a product and service, what we got 8 months ago, with a contract and it not being compatible with the phone company is fraud. The one week wait time without service while billing continues is unacceptable and telling someone to take the faceplate off a hot electrical outlet is unacceptable. I would not recommend ADT!!!

ADT response

Hello Anthony. We are very sorry for this frustrating experience. We've located your mothers account and certainly do see she has QSP as part of her services. If a payment was already made, we'll have that refunded for the job. Otherwise we will waive that bill. Additionally, we will review the troubleshooting call you mentioned for any coaching opportunities to be addressed. If you have further questions or concerns, please let us know. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: May 13, 2019

Thinking about using ADT??? DON’T DO IT. ADT is a TOTAL SCAM. They offer low rates to entice. You sign the contract only to find out the monthly rate is substantially more. When you call you to speak to someone you constantly get several different reps, each promising a resolution to the problem. Finally you speak to someone telling them to come and remove the system only to be told that you signed a contract (FOR THE LOWER QUOTED PRICE) and that when the office entered the info IT RAISED THE PRICE! You then ask for them to come and remove the system. They will come but YOU HAVE TO PAY OVER $1900 for them to do so. This is my 82 year old mom’s experience.

We had a very negative experience with ADT as well. My husband spoke with an ADT rep over the phone telling him exactly what we needed, The guy came to install what we ordered. We questioned the guy several times as he seemed to be installing more than we asked for. He reassured us that this is what we ordered. THEN he brings in his supervisor who quoted us way over the original quote. AND we would have to make 4 monthly payments of over $300. I told them we weren't buying the system. He said we were! My husband said he would call the guy he originally spoke to in the AM to get this cleared up. As they were leaving I overheard Guy#1 ask Guy #2 when he would get his bonus! After many calls demanding the system to be removed a guy came out and did so. The only way we could get them to stop taking $$$ from our account was to close it.

ADT response

Hello Dee. We have located your account moms account see that her services were purchased through and installed by a third party named Defenders Security INC, aka Protect Your Home. Defenders is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they offer their own promotions, install and sell their own alarm equipment, and are not owned by ADT Corporate. ADT simply monitors and responds to any alarm events due to Defenders not having a monitoring station.

For these reasons, we would need to escalate your complaints through them, as they would be the party to resolve your contract concerns. We see that the services have been discontinued, but should you need to reach out to them directly to follow up, you can contact them via phone. Thank you. - Andrew

Original review: May 13, 2019

Be careful when you bound to this service!!!!! Their sensors are not secured to each door, it is very easy to drop on floor, and cause the alarm goes off a lot of times!!!! And when you are getting so pissed about this situation, you are bound to this 36 month contract!!!! With no early termination service!!!! I understand you might need to pay for early termination! But hello! It is not the full amount of rest of the service you did not use! Plus it is really their products to cause all these trouble to begin with!!!! So don't use their service.

ADT response

Hello Zhao- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Do Not Use ADT. They just want your money and if they were a good company they would not require a 3 yr contract. Please do your research... I signed on with ADT and lost my job. I was forced to sell my house and ADT wants $1200 to get out of my contract... I’m pissed at myself for not looking into Ring, SimpliSafe, etc. Please stay away from ADT.

ADT response

Hello Rocky- We do apologize again for the frustration this has caused. Per our conversation via Facebook we would be happy to offer an additional 30% off of your early termination fees. So that we may further assist you in cancellation of the services we would ask you to send a signed and dated letter to our team requesting cancellation with the address listed somewhere within the notice. Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance- ~ Eileen

Original review: May 12, 2019

6 months of continuing problems with a monitored malfunctioning fire alarm panel. Incompetent techs unable to fix but able to charge for each failed attempt. Sorry excuse for a company and indifferent to their problems and customers - still not fixed -we get robo calls in the middle of the night that the system is having a problem,after prodding they come and cannot figure out what the problem is - last tech said it was an old panel, may have been on the shelf for some time prior to installation and we will have to buy a new one.

When I asked how long it will take to replace the panel I was informed between 2 and 8 hours at a special rate of $ 95 an hour. They are so bad they don't even know how long it takes to replace their own equipment. Experience has been one of complete incompetence indifference. This is a multi family building alarm that they charged $ 45,000 to install the system - this is not the first problem and took some time as well as emails to the home office, sent emails this time and action promised but no results.

ADT response

Hello Jerry- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

- Mazen

Original review: May 10, 2019

I have been an ADT customer for many years and have a second home that I wanted to get security services for as well. My fiance had the services turned on at the second home and ADT gave us an "OK" price, being nice to say that. He is currently staying there and I am currently at the other home but needed new yard signs, as I have had them for a very long period of time. When I called to get them, I was informed that my service was disconnected at this home when the other home was connected by error. This means that I was without protection for over 3-4 weeks at least. My service was reconnected and I got an apology for the error, which did not make me feel too good anyway however, at least it was back on. I am paralyzed on my left side and do not feel comfortable being here without an alarm system.

I requested the signs that I originally called for due to issues that I am having to which I was promised that they would be sent. It is now over a month later and I have not gotten them, called today to find out the order had been canceled but they would send them out. I only have to wait two more weeks, to which I explained was not acceptable because I already have anxiety and am paralyzed. I was told there was nothing they could do to expedite the order. I thought ADT was supposed to make you feel safe????

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 9, 2019

Beware. FYI: We used ADT at our previous home. I called to cancel service before we moved. The payment came out of our checking account automatically every month. After 1-1/2 years we moved in with our daughter because we sold our house before we found a new place. When I noticed the payment was STILL coming out of our account I called again. They are saying we have to pay for it until 2020. Evidently, they need money so bad they need Senior Citizens’ money. We are trying to survive financially. Don’t need security where we live now & cant afford it anyway! Beware.

ADT response

Hello Lonna- We are sorry to hear that you are still being charged for the services. Please reach out to us with your phone number and address, please also include your post so that we can review the account. -Jackie

Original review: May 8, 2019

I called ADT to inquire about their services. The representative asked me for the address I was looking the services to be added, my name and then stated she needed the last 4 of my social to verify the information I was giving her. The conversation went well and I said I would call back after I discussed it with my wife. Well guess what? They ran my credit without asking me. The only way I found out was because I received an alert from Equifax. Their credit pull lowered my credit score by 19 points, went from very good to good.

I called them and asked why that would be and their response was it was done because they don’t charge for any of the equipment... What??? I wasn’t asking them for free stuff or a credit line. Why would anyone agree to a credit check. I know I wouldn’t. I plan to start legal action against them and find out how prevalent this problem is. It’s not ok to run someone’s credit without their approval. Ironic that a company that is intended to offer a sense of safety would behave in this manner.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I wanted to update the alarm system that I currently have and subscribe to the monthly monitoring from ADT. I got SCAMMED, they drilled holes in my walls, made my current (old but working) alarm no longer live. Said it was old and they would NOT repair to the way it was when they arrived. I submitted a claim for the wall damage that they did when they installed their system prior to me accepting the services (I asked why they were changing the interface to their's, they said if I did not want it they would put it back. They did, just did not work anymore.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Received call from loyalty department and was giving an offer to install new camera system outside of my house. After spending 45 minutes over the phone after confirming the term of contract they change to longer term so instead of 2 years they asked for 3 years. I end up not buying this service due to their business ethics.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Very unprofessional service.. I paid up front for a year after my contract was over. During the first 3 months I had too many false alarms. Had to pay $300 at the police station. I called ADT so they would fix the false alarm issue and they said I had to pay for the technician.. So decided to cancel. Called customer service and they agreed and said I would get a refund for the months I didn’t use. All I got was $9. VERY UNSATISFIED with the service.

ADT response

Hello Janeth- We are sorry to hear about your experience. Please reach out to us. Please include your phone number, address and post so that we may review the account. -Jackie

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have Multiple Sclerosis and I'm recovering from Thymoma Cancer so I have to watch my budget and ADT is too expensive!!! After 2 separate calls and at least 5 extended wait times to ADT, the third and 4th ADT reps lied to me when I tried to cancel services today (5/4/19). They each said I owed $1000 because I was under contract. I told each I definitely knew I wasn't and that I would sue them if they tried it. After many times on hold, Alex then determined - "Wow I wasn't under a contract." In the span of 20 minutes (the 2nd time I called) I went from owing ADT $1000 to a zero balance. I have SimpliSafe home alarm now. MUCH less expensive and better services. ADT reps shouldn't frustrate people. It's not right.

ADT response

Hello Cassondra. We apologize for this frustrating experience. We've located your services and see that you still have an active account with medical alerts through ADT as well. If you were trying to cancel that service as well, please call us so we may discuss further with you. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: May 4, 2019

My son decided to move home. I was at work., he didn’t receive the code to the system I had sent him. He set off alarm. He called ADT. Asked them how to shut down the system so he didn’t keep setting it off. They walked him through the shutdown over the phone., I never spoke to ADT about this or approved it. And I never received 1 alert on my pulse app. I have 2 outdoor cameras, and sensors all over my windows, doors etc. When I called ADT about 4 hours after this all went down, I asked why they allowed him to shut down my whole system and leave my home vulnerable all that time? They said my son knew the verbal password. Impossible. I never told him the new one.

I asked why I wasn’t alerted. My system went down. They said they don’t even get an alert. So here it is: IF SOMEONE UNPLUGS YOUR SYSTEM OR SHUTS OFF YOUR BREAKER BOX (most of which are outside and easily accessible or in your garage which most thieves know how to access garage door openers) then the ONLY WAY ADT KNOWS YOUR SYSTEM HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN IS IF THEY HAPPEN TO LOOK IN THE HISTORY! No alert is sent to anyone!! Not even police! So I asked 2 different technicians if I’m alone in my home asleep, and a burglar or a ** decides to shut off my breaker box outside and unplugs my backup battery in the garage on the wall right next to my door he can walk right in, ** and kill me and no one would ever know until they look at the history of my activity in the system?

There’s no fail safe alarm to alert you guys (ADT). Something might be wrong 'cause my system is down? Both reps said, "Yes that is correct!" So basically I am not safe at all! One agent on the phone said, "Well your garage door alarm would go off if someone entered your garage." I replied that I don’t have an alarm on my garage door. The rep who installed my backup battery and system components on my garage wall never even suggested or mentioned it. Might be a good idea since the equipment is in there!! But they were happy to install cameras that don’t work 1/2 the time or have the resolution of Coke bottle glasses and have a 2 min delay between recordings that only last 30 seconds!!

I have been a customer for 15 years with multiple properties and they not only made me resign a two year contract so they didn’t have to give me any discounts, they have been lying to all of us all along. How safe is anything if all you have to do is unplug it and no one ever knows it was unplugged? Not even you? Total false advertising and lawsuit worthy!

Also I was selling one of my properties about 6 months ago and someone fraudulently copies my info off of Zillow and posted my property for rent on Craigslist using my name as the email address to where people could send their rent payments! So someone went by my property and somehow found a key on the ground that actually went to mybotooett and let themselves in. They set off the security system.

When I called ADT a while later to ask if they could just reset the system they said I had to physically go to the property and reset the system myself! This was about 10 pm and I am a small blonde single woman and I told them I was uncomfortable going there myself at night after someone had already accessed the house and we had no way of know if anyone was in the house 'cause they hadn’t reset the system. The agent said to me, “mam, the police were already there, there’s no one there now.” I replied, “how on earth do you know that? You can’t even reset the system much less tell me if anyone is over there!”

I asked to speak to her supervisor. The supervisor came on and I told her what the agent said. The supervisor said, “mam don’t go over there now. It’s dark out. Wait 'til in the morning when it’s light out.” I said, "Really, that’s your response?” She said, ”Or call the police and have them meet you there. That’s what we pay them for anyway.” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Then as I am getting ready to hang up she says, “I’m sorry. Someone’s playing games with you. I hope you get it all worked out.” And she hung up! I have asked them to come get their equipment. I have had it and they won’t come get it, they won’t stop charging me and now I’m not even safe. I’m still in shock!

ADT response

Hello Melissa- We are sorry to hear about your experience. Please reach out to us with your phone number and address so that we can address the concern. Please also include your consumer affairs post as well. -Jackie

Original review: May 3, 2019

Protection 1 and then ADT purchased the local alarm company we used for years. Once they took over, they increased prices. To get a lower price, they used deceptive tactics to sell a multi-year agreement. A couple of years into the agreement, we needed to install new windows. We called to get a quote to have them coordinate with the window company to install the necessary new alarm sensors in the new windows. After more than an hour on the phone with several people, the regional manager said she would get back to me with a price and process to coordinate the project. She never did. In frustration we called a different local company who promptly came out, provided a quote, and coordinated the project with the window company.

We called to cancel the ADT Protection 1 monitoring due to the poor, unresponsive service. Now they are charging for 2 years of service saying that because of the extended service contract they tricked us into, we are liable for this balance. They claim the contract can't be cancelled due to their poor service. So, we will have to pay - but now I will share this terrible experience with anyone that reads this. What you will get with ADT Protection 1 is higher prices, poor service, deceptive selling practices and in the end - a total rip off. My suggestion - find a good local alarm company instead!

ADT response

Hello Kevin. We're sorry to hear of any trouble you had securing an installation. If you are in need of anything further, please don't hesitate to email our team. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: May 3, 2019

I am very unsatisfied with the service we have experienced with ADT. My husband and I have to relocate for his job and are not able to bring the security system with us. ADT told us if this occurred it would not be an issue when we signed up. We have to pay a $700+ buyout or continue to pay for service for 1.5 years. The contract was only supposed to be 24 months, but now they are saying it is 36 months. I will not be getting ADT or recommend it to others again. I recommend using security system without contracts to avoid having any issues if any unforeseen moves arise.

ADT response

Hello Anne. We apologize for this frustrating experience. ADT does offer the ability to relocate the services to your new home. If you would prefer not to do that, ADT can also release you from your existing contract if the new owner of your former residence decides to activate services with ADT. Please call us if you would like to discuss either of these options further. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: May 2, 2019

ADT WAS a good company to do business with. I had their system for years. After moving I decided to get a new system installed. Apparently now ADT uses third-party installers who will lie to you and scam you into a contract and then ADT holds no responsibility. We were lied to about what came with our alarm and what we would be able to use with our alarm for the three day grace period. Once those 3 days were over and we were locked into a contract we were told it would be 400 dollars to upgrade to the system that we were promised originally. Then we were told by ADT in three months they would take over our contract from Defender the third party, then we could use the cameras and other things we were promised would work, which was also incorrect. After 3 months we contacted them and they said the third party will hold our contract indefinitely. So everything we were promised by Defender and ADT was all a lie.

ADT response

Hello Brian- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to us so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I called ADT to get a quote, they stated that they can not give a quote over the phone because they needed to send out a technician to check the currently installed equipment from our current home security provider to make sure it was compatible with the ADT control pads. The tech showed up and informed us that he would have to install an ADT panel to check for service compatibility. It took about an hour for him to complete that task. Once all was said and done, the tech then told us that it would be an initial fee of $3000+ and he can get us going today. We reviewed the price and options that ADT offered and we DECLINED to sign a service contract. The tech seemed upset, tried his best to convince us of how much we needed the ADT Protection and but we still said NO.

He then packed up his equipment, removed the panel he installed, said everything was back to normal and walked out the door before we could run any diagnostics to check for normal operations. Right then I checked my current alarm system and nothing was WORKING! I went to my daughter's closet (where the alarm box is located) and all the wires were exposed! The tech left all the wires exposed and nothing connected. I called the Customer service dept and received the worst customer service reps. They were rude and disrespectful. Stated that they can not and will not send any technician out to fix their mistake and that the Technician should have disclosed his inability to reinstall any equipment that he removed.

So, Not only do I have to pay my current security company a fee to come out and fix ADT's MESS-UP! But not once did ADT disclose that they DID NOT know how/or would reconnect what they disconnect! Glad I won't be signing a contract with this company! Do yourself a favor don't call this company for anything, let alone a quote!

ADT response

Hello Daisy. We are very sorry for this frustrating experience. I have located your account and see that your services was to be contracted through a third party named Defenders Security INC, aka Protect Your Home that you had reached out to, not ADT Corporate.

Defenders is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they offer their own promotions, install and sell their own alarm equipment, and are not owned by ADT. You may have received their correspondence through a flier in the mail, or by simply googling for services online.

For these reasons, we would need to escalate your complaints through them, as they would be the party to resolve your concerns. I will be reaching out to Defender's upper management on your behalf so a member of their team can follow up. Should you need to reach out to them directly. Thank you. -Andrew

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 1, 2019

If I could give a zero I would. They couldn't get my online account sorted out, they wouldn't send out a technician when I wanted them to come out and see what was going on with my system and then when I called to cancel, they wasted about 5 minutes of my time trying to convince me to stay. Irritating all around. Quick to take my money, but not very quick to provide service. I will be changing services at my store as well now.

ADT response

Hello Denise- We're sorry for your troubles. Can we please have the opportunity to rectify things at your current address? May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further assist? Thank you.

- Mazen

Original review: April 30, 2019

Am 80 years old and legally blind, so I need extra help with getting things set up. Cameras were installed then a few days later they failed. Someone came out to repair them. Then the cameras failed again one day later. Again someone came out to repair them, but this time they charged me $130. Cameras again failed. This time the technician and the sales rep came out. I was informed that my television was too old for their DVR. I am now trying to return the cameras, but I keep getting a runaround. The local people tell me I need to call ADT national and national says I need to call the local company. I have been calling for 9 days and still have not received any help getting the cameras returned. Talked to sales rep again who said she would have a manager call, but no one has called me as yet.

ADT expert review by Ben Mannes

Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

ADT Company Information