3.9/5 (481 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

Top ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

ADT's customer service is great. My understanding of what I was getting was awesome. I like the security of knowing my house and personal belongings are protected. Also, the addit...

Verified

… Having the system makes me feel more secure in my own home because you don't know what's going to happen. I like it good and I'm happy with ADT. The cameras were not in the pack...

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular connection. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating a response until the threat is over.

You can arm ADT home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Control. ADT Control gives you instant alerts of activity, access to live video footage and control over your entire system, including smart locks, smart lighting, climate control and your security devices.

With the ADT SoSecure app, users can alert family or friends of their location or send an SOS for emergency response.

Monitoring requires a three-year agreement, and termination fees apply for breaking a contract.

If you like the idea of professional monitoring but don’t want to sign a contract, check out Blue by ADT, a DIY option.

ADT prices

Monthly costs for ADT home security packages range from $28.99 per month to $57.99 per month. Equipment costs range from $599 to $1,049. If you don’t want to pay upfront, financing costs from $9.98 to $17.48 per month for 60 months. Installation fees range from $99 to $199.

You can choose from several ADT home security system packages, including:

• Essentials: For around $36 per month, you get three window and door sensors, an infrared motion detector and 24/7 professional alarm monitoring.
  • Total Protection: For around $44 per month, you get everything included in the Essentials package plus Safewatch Cellguard, which lets you connect the system through a landline.
  • Premium Protection: For about $56 a month, you receive everything in the other packages plus ADT Pulse, which includes home automation. You can monitor and manage the system and smart devices through the app.

For more, see how costs compare for ADT vs. Vector, ADT vs. Xfinity, ADT vs. Cove and ADT vs. Guardian Protection.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular home security equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: The ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that help reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Google Nest Doorbell: ADT uses the Google Nest Doorbell, which lets you answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

How long does it take ADT to install?

ADT offers quick, professional installation to ensure your equipment is set up properly. Depending on the size of your home, it could take less than an hour. Larger homes could take a little longer. Here’s what you can expect from the installation process:

1. To prepare for your ADT home security installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. For hard-wired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors.
  3. The technician will walk you through how to use your ADT home security system so you’re confident you’re using everything correctly.
  4. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

Professional ADT installation costs start at $99 and vary based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. ADT offers a 90-day warranty following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

Can I add cameras to my ADT system?

Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. You can view camera footage live if you want to check on your home or office.

You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.

Video monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select.

Do ADT cameras record all the time?

ADT’s security cameras can record continuously or only when they detect motion.

Are ADT prices negotiable?

Sometimes. You can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long you’ve been an active user. For example, customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.

Does ADT replace batteries?

Yes, ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps you find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.

Do I own my ADT equipment?

It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.

How long does ADT backup battery last?

The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. You should keep the backup battery charged in case you need it as a power source.

Do you need a landline for ADT?

ADT systems can work with or without a landline.

Can I use my ADT equipment with another company?

Maybe. Some other home security companies can reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before you purchase additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.

How long are ADT contracts?

ADT contracts are typically 36 months for the monitoring agreement and 60 months for financing equipment.

Is ADT worth it?

We think ADT is worth considering if you want a professionally monitored home security system. People nationwide trust ADT, and it's an industry leader in security monitoring.

ADT offers several products and solutions to help protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and lets you control everything from your mobile device. Plus, the technology connects with smart-home devices for convenient automation. For more, see how ADT compares against our top picks for smart home security systems.

ADT Medical Alert is also available for older adults who want to feel safer at home and worry about falling or medical emergencies.

adt reviews summary

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have two systems ‘cause I have two different houses. I added my second house to the ADT system. My first system, we've had it for a couple of years now. I just upgraded it at the beginning of this month. The tech was really good, nice and knowledgeable. Was easy to talk to. The big feature that was new with the ADT Control compared to the ADT Pulse was the touchscreen control pad, which is awesome. Then also the cameras. The cameras were 10 times better with ADT Control than they were with the old ADT Pulse. They were bad on the ADT Pulse. Plus, it has the capability of two-way conversation through the cameras. Which is awesome when you have kids at home and you're like, “Go to the bus.”

We always had an issue with the ADT doorbell never wanting to connect, always bombing out. So with this one, they brought the new Google doorbell. So far, it's been really nice. The only downfall is that I have to have another app to be able to access it. It's not run through the ADT Control app. I have to run it through the Google Home app.

I'm paying for two houses and they combined both the monitoring under one payment, which is awesome. But then I have two other payments that are coming out randomly throughout the month that are for the installation payment or for the actual equipment itself. When they told me, with the package, that it’s going to be automatically all rolled up into my monthly payments, I was like, “Cool.” So on this monthly payment, I expected an additional 20, and on this one, I expect an additional 10.

But when I talked to the lady from customer service this morning, I was like, “Why is it showing in my system three separate payments?” She said, “These are flexi payments on this one and flexi payment on this one. They're gonna come out on these dates.” So through ADT right now, I have my monitoring for both houses on one bill. Then I have turned around and I have the flexi payment for one house on another bill that comes in on the middle of the month. Then I have another flexi payment that comes out at the end of the month, instead of having it all combined under one payment.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

We had two different people that had different systems, one was my daughter and one was my daughter's best friend. SO, we called and set up an appointment to talk to both groups. One of them was ADT and they gave us a price that was competitive with the other group’s offer and the gentlemen representing the sales in both companies were both very good. But there was something about the product itself that had us go with ADT. Their rep also negotiated a price which was a tad bit better. It wasn't a large amount of money, but we liked the fact that he was working with us. The other guy just said, “This is it and that's all we do.”

So far, I feel comfortable knowing that my security system is in place and that all the elements of it seem to work to the best of the ability of them to work. Everything seems to be satisfactory and we haven't had any difficulties with our ADT system. But right after the install, the camera wasn't working at the rear of the house. They scheduled to come out and they came out fairly promptly. There was something wrong with the wiring but a guy came out and got it right. He was excellent. We'd never had a system before, so for us, there seemed to be an ease of understanding what was going on and utilizing the system. I also really like the panel inside the house versus the phone app which has worked very well. If I pull out of the driveway and I forgot to arm the system, the phone app allows me to stop at the corner and "Arm Away" after I've left.

Aside from that, I appreciate the customer service of all three people that we've dealt with at the home, the salesperson, the installer, and the guy that came to fix the wiring. As a consumer of anything, I appreciate when the provider listens to what the customer’s saying and works with that. When people tell you, “Well, this is this and da, da, da,” and they don't listen to what you're asking questions about or telling them, I find that very off-putting. But ADT's reps were very cordial and everybody listened.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I’ve always have had a security system but I became a little disgruntled with the service I had prior to last week. My system wasn’t working and I stayed on the phone with the young man for two hours on Monday night. He told me that someone will be sent out on Thursday. After no one came on Thursday, I called back to find out what was going on, and the lady I spoke to said that they didn't have anyone scheduled to come out. But I told her what the young man told me before. She said she couldn't get anybody out again for another week so I said I will just cancel my service and go with someone else.

When I got ready to cancel, I had to wait on hold for an hour for somebody to answer the phone. Then they told me I had to go to another department and had to wait another 30 minutes for that department to answer. I can understand that since the pandemic, a lot of companies might not have these staff that they normally had in the past. But to have to stay on hold for an hour was ridiculous. At one point, they told me that if I left my number, someone would call me back. I did, and no one ever called me back. So, customer service is far most important for me.

When I called to sign up with ADT, the young man told me all the things that they were waiving. When the install guy got out and he was telling me that ADT would just be financing my equipment for 700 and some odd dollars, I said that I was never told that I had to pay for the equipment. He got on the phone and called someone. I guess they went back and listened to the tape that I was never told that I have to pay for the equipment charge, so they went ahead and did that.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

We had trouble getting a sales rep to our house. He wanted to do everything over the phone and kept trying to reschedule our appointment four times. We live an hour away from Tucson, Arizona. He said he could just look at your house via Google and try to give us an estimate that way. That really pissed my husband off. We're in the military and we expect the very best at all times. Not everybody can give it but this dude was telling us he was prior military too. I called and wanted to speak to somebody higher up than him because I didn't want to deal with him anymore. It turned out that he's the regional manager. That was really bad.

We just couldn't wait for him to get here, look at our house and everything that needs to be done then just get out. He needs to find a different job or he needs some coaching. We were appalled. We are consumers and we want this product in our home. I tried to go to management about this but it didn’t go any higher up than this regional manager. ADT didn't want to give me information so I was not happy about that. I kept getting transferred. I was ready to drive to the Tucson, Phoenix office because I was like, “I don't want this guy who seems like he's very complacent in life, that just doesn't care, to go into my house and try to sell me a security system when my husband’s a cop, and he's in the military.” It did not sit well with us.

Thankfully, ADT sent some guy who came in to do the install and he was great. He went over everything and he sat down with us. He is a great employee for ADT. The system has been nice and we've enjoyed it. I have to be here by myself until February so it makes me feel safe, which is the most important thing. We had another tech come out and he was great too. He came right away and installed the thermostat. Other than the sales experience, my husband and I are very pleased and we’re glad that we went with ADT.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

We use ADT for our business. We've had them for the past five years and never had any issue. So, we decided to stay with them when we moved. The installer was good. I was a little disappointed in the salesperson that I spoke with on the phone because they didn't give us any insight as to the cameras and stuff that we were hoping to have installed. They didn't let us know that it needed this much internet speed and make sure we had all that done beforehand. So, we just went with our basic internet package. They came out two days before ADT.

So when he came out, he said that he couldn't install the cameras that we wanted because we didn't have the adequate internet speeds. I wasn't gonna turn around and pay Spectrum $100 to come out and give me a new modem and then another $50 a month just for cameras. So, it was quite the debacle when he came out here. But other than that, he was good.

The only other issue that we had was since we were moving, I was thinking that we were just transferring service. Apparently, that was not the case. I realized after the fact that I was gonna have to call and cancel the old location's monitoring, 'cause I went in and logged everything online, and I realized there was another bill for the old address.

I called and they had not stopped service there. They were like, "We require a 30-day notice." I said, okay. But, that would have been nice also for the representative that I spoke to when I was talking about transferring my service to say, "We need to go ahead and put in a request to cancel that service on such and such date. And then your new service will be on a different bill." So, now, whenever I get that final bill sometime mid-November, I'm gonna have to call and dispute the two months of extra charges on there.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

It's rare that I have to call customer service but when I have to call, the customer service is great. They're always friendly. When I need them to come out, they're quick about getting out here. They're efficient. I like the touchscreen feature of the system. When I first got it, it wasn't touchscreen. It's a good price too. I'm not paying 300 bucks for monitoring. Wireless cameras would be great though. I've got one that’s drilled in and a couple that aren't.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

They upgraded and put a new box in. Everything is working fine. All the technicians were very polite and courteous. I had one incident and that was taken care of. I'm very satisfied with ADT.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I have been an ADT customer for several years. Until recently I had no issues with them but that has changed. ADT has caused me to miss three days of work, spend countless hours on the phone & as of the date that I am writing this review, put my house and family at risk because of their faulty equipment. One day I just happened to notice that my ADT installed "cell phone box" was not operating. There weren't any lights or indications that the box was on which to me appeared to be strange. This purpose of this box is to send an alert to the police or fire department in case of an emergency so if it's not working your house and family could be vulnerable.

I immediately called ADT to talk to a technician. We both verified that the box was not working and that a technician would have to come out to repair it. ADT informed me that there would be a service charge (~$49) to which I replied begrudgingly, "Why should I have to pay for a defective ADT device that so critical to my security?" I also asked why I had not been notified that a critical component such as a cell phone box was not operating. The tech told me that ADT had tried to call me about it but said they only called once. I saw no voicemail or any record of such a call but still – why only one phone call about something as important as this?! I agreed to the charge and a tech was scheduled to come to my house a few days later.

I called ADT before the appointment date and inquired about buying a flood light. They gave me a price and wanted to charge me an additional $250 to have an electrician install it. I declined this offer and told them that I would install it myself. I gave them my credit card credentials & thought I purchased the flood light. As you will find out later in this review this was not the case. I was also told that the technician coming to fix my cell phone box was also going to install the flood light.

The day came that the technician was to come to my house. The appointment was set between the hours of 8am-Noon so I took off work. The ADT technician never came. I called ADT and was told that since I bought a camera, the original service appointment that I made was expunged. The ADT rep I was talking to couldn't even see the original appointment (ticket). They also told me that technical service calls and product installation were two different things and that product installation takes precedence. In my case that meant that the camera needed to be added before the technician could come out. I had to miss a day of work because ADT never told me that my original appointment had been cancelled.

Though I had been inconvenienced and had missed a day of work, I decided to add another device to my order and proceeded to give my credit card credential to buy a Google Nest doorbell camera. After having gone through all of my complaints with the rep they assured me that this time everything would be fine and that my cameras and cell phone box would be fixed in one visit. This would not be the case as you will soon discover.

On the day of my appointment two technicians arrived between the 8-12 time window. However, they only came with the doorbell camera. They knew nothing about the cell phone box or the floodlight that I had purchased. To make matters worse, they told me that the cameras that I had bought would not work with my older ADT Pulse system. Wow! Never did anyone from ADT tell me that my new cameras were incompatible though one tech did try to sell me on their new system which I declined. One of the techs on the scene sympathized with my frustration and called in to talk with a manager. The tech told me that she would try and get me a new system (not including cameras) and that she would help me make a new appointment. She also told me that everything would work out when they came back.

The day before my next appointment when everything was to be fixed, I saw a confirmation email that required me to click a button confirming the time. The appointment time was supposed to be between Noon – 4pm? However, I confirmed the appointment anyway and took another day off of work to be there just in case ADT arrived early or late. ADT never showed?! In fact, they called my wife at 4:30pm, not me, and told her that they were running late and wanted to know if they could come over around 5pm. I told my wife to decline for I had made other plans by then and didn't want them going to the house without me being there. I told my wife to tell them to schedule for the following Wednesday.

I called ADT a day or two later and spoke to several reps. Eventually I was transferred to the product/installation department because I wanted to confirm that I had purchased two very expensive cameras. I told the rep my whole story. She was not able to confirm much but was able tell me that I had purchased one doorbell camera. I told her that I had also bought a flood light camera and even gave ADT my card. After 30 minutes of this I went to my online banking accounts in search of the charges. I saw no charges from ADT whatsoever!

The rep eventually said with an apologetic tone something to the effect, "Oh Mr. ** you won't be charged for the cameras until they are installed." Pray tell why this rep didn't tell me this 30 minutes earlier? I recall telling the rep to cancel and and all pending appointments and that I no longer wished to buy ADT or Google Nest cameras. I recall had to excuse myself from this call but knew that this matter had not been resolved and that I would need to call back ADT later.

I recall it was a Monday (9/19/22) that I called the ADT general number in order to talk to someone in the scheduling department. At this point I gone in a "Full Circle". All I wanted was to have ADT come fix my cell phone box BUT there was no way I was going to pay a service fee. I had missed several days of work and had been strung along by ADT and their ineptitude scheduling & servicing inadequacies. The rep took notes and apparently deferred my case to a supervisor. The rep told that someone should be contacting me shortly. It's been a day later and nobody from ADT has reached out to my knowledge. I have been doing research online about other security companies and have learned a lot. I landed on a website that educates visitors on the best home security systems. I am likely going to chose one of these and say good riddance to ADT.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I have a very good experience with ADT. I’ve had their service for eight years and it might even be longer. I live in a corner home and we had somebody stealing stuff out of our backyard. I had installed my personal cameras that were not connected to ADT and then, possibly five years ago, we had a cold winter and it froze all the lines and the cameras died. It was out of warranty so, I decided I was gonna get ADT’s cameras. If something happens, they were responsible for replacing them. It was included in whatever I pay every month. I have three cameras on my house. When I call, I always have a very good experience. They always help me with whatever issue it is. They try to walk me through it and if I cannot do it on my own, they will send a tech out.

I’ve recommended ADT to my mother who lives in Virginia and I had that put on her doors down there. I also recommended them to a neighbor on 80th street because there were some shenanigans going on next to her. ADT’s reps have always been very pleasant, kind and helpful, no matter the issue is, even if it’s so minute that I should have been able to figure it out myself. ADT has always been there for me.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

The experience with the reps has been very well. I like everything about my system with ADT and I feel totally secure since I’ve had them. I would refer ADT.

ADT Company Information