Call toll free
4.47/5
Based on 2,249 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

7673 ADT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Chris ** was my service technician and he was so professional, easy to communicate with, explaining everything and making sure windows and doors were working properly making me a senior citizen who lives alone feel safe in my own home. Chris is truly an asset to your company. Thank you again Chris.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

First of all I have lost all respect for this company. I will never recommend anyone to this company because it’s all a scam. Instead of helping someone and listening to what the customer is wanting they instead try their selling tactics so the customer pays more per month. How hard is it for a company to give the customer what they want instead of them getting a bill in the mail that is way more than what they thought they signed up for. After reading all the reviews this is a common thing that ADT does and it’s actually disgusting to think they take advantage of people the way they do.

My mother called this company to get an alarm system installed and she wanted the $27.99 a month payment that she had seen advertised. Knowing that my mom does not have a landline they never told her that the bill would be $52.99 after she repeatedly told them that she doesn’t want to spend more than the $27.99 a month. The salesperson continued to install the system even though again she kept telling them she didn’t want anything extra. She called the next day after the installation and they said she would be paying $52.99 a month. I am so disappointed in this company that they LIE to their customers and don’t LISTEN to what their customers want.

Please be very careful with ADT, I thought they were more of a respected company but I guess I was wrong. Terrible way of doing business. She canceled the contract within 24 hours and I’m sure they will try and make her pay something. If they do I will be back on to write another review to warn consumers because again that’s another rip off that this company makes money from. ADT should be disappointed the way they run their business.

ADT response

Hello Nikki- We're sorry to learn of your/your mother's experience with obtaining the service, and for any misleading information you received regarding our monitoring packages.

In your review, you indicated that your mother properly submitted her notice of cancellation with her 3 day right. If we may be of additional assistance reviewing, please be encouraged to message us here. ~Tréchell

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I’ve had ADT service for about five months now. When I set up services I purchased additional equipment such as the shocking window sensors to say the least. During this time I asked the sales rep that was here in my home if lightning and thunder would set the sensors off, he guaranteed it wouldn’t, and stated he never heard of anyone’s sensors setting the alarm off due to weather. Well the window sensors go off all the time especially when we are not home during the lightning and thunder. The cops have came out here 3-4 times and well you’re charged for false alarms!

I called ADT today to get those sensors removed and also to get a refund since the sales rep guaranteed the weather would not make the sensors set the alarm off. ADT tells me they don’t “own” my account for another seven months, their authorized dealer does for now, and I would need to contact them for a refund. Corp cannot make such decisions on my account. That’s another thing I didn’t know, I didn’t know an authorized dealer had installed our equipment! Defender is horrible!!! So when I called to cancel, the customer service with Defender stated I couldn’t cancel because I was locked in a three year contract! The sales rep had told us it was only one year! It’s just sad and ridiculous how these sales rep lie to customers to get service! After the three years, I will never use ADT again or recommend them to anyone who needs security system service!!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I have submitted three previous cancellation requests, which were never completed leaving my account auto debited months after. On my fourth call after being bounced around I was told they will cancel and backdate. Hopefully this will in fact be the case this time, but in the meantime for my troubles from these continual and time consuming calls I get essentially nothing. No extra money back even though I had to be billed for an entire 30 days after the initial cancellation request.

I only get the two months after that period where they continued to bill me, and if that wasn't insulting enough I get to wait 10 business days to get my money back unless I call yet again to get the funds released early. Between the irritation of being on hold after numerous calls, emails asking to Test an alarm that to my knowledge after each attempt had been disconnected, and the lack of follow through to quickly resolve their mistake I can safely say I WILL NEVER USE ADT again.

ADT response

Hello Keysha - We appreciate you reaching out and reporting your discontinuance experience to us. You have our sincere apology for lack of care your concerns have received. If we may be of assistance further reviewing, please be encouraged to message us here. ~Tréchell

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

If you like money flowing freely from your account into the hands of a company that won't remotely value you as a customer, then definitely pick a security system from ADT. I signed up for installation after receiving a flyer for a discount for the first 12 months for $19.99. I was aware that after this, the price would increase and I'd be under a 36 month contract. System installed and payments were made for the equipment. I was told by installer that I'd have to pay a higher monthly price because of no landline...BUT that I'd get the difference back from ADT for the first 12 months since I was using the promotion they were offering. When asked how the difference would come back to me, he stated by check. Ok great.

Now, I'm getting that higher priced bill monthly (so there was really no promotion) with no money back from ADT for the difference...and to top it off, when I call customer service, they state that there IS no promotion for me because of the lack of the landline. I was NEVER once told this by anyone, and I spoke with at least 3 people before agreeing to the system, including a manager named Elbey (employee #**). ADT states that because I didn't cancel in the first 30 days, "We can't help you." I didn't want to cancel (at that time)! I was waiting for a check (I know, silly me) which I was told could take a few weeks (check's in the mail...oh my, I think they want their customers to feel stupid!). The thing is, the installer (from Protect Your Home) truly thinks this is how it works. I assume he's been told this by ADT? I called him back (after no check in mail) as well and he actually stated "They don't educate us much on this".

So, you have 2 companies (ADT hires out the installation) that each are telling customers something different, and when you call, ADT acts like they've NEVER heard of such a thing... "Are you sure about this?", "We don't even have an offer for $19.99", and my favorite, "The manager isn't available right now, but I'll have him/her call you back". I've never gotten a call back from ADT. It's because they absolutely DO NOT care about their customers. They are out there trying to get YOUR money. I am legitimately afraid of what will happen at the end of this contract when I try to cancel. Based on people's reviews, I have a reason to be scared (why oh why didn't I read these before purchasing from ADT?...because the reviews speak to what this company is about)!

There aren't that many companies out there that you truly cannot even call customer service for help. Trust me, it will feel like you are talking to brick wall. Do NOT call them if you have high blood pressure (or at least take your meds before you call)! This whole experience with ADT feels like a REHEARSED SCAM. And they are getting away with it, so they will keep doing it as long as they can. The only thing I know to do (other than a letter to the CEO, which I've already written) is to tell everyone to please avoid this company at ALL costs. Sadly, I picked ADT based on name alone to secure my home, and they are not at all what I thought they were. I hope I can save even one person from making the same mistake.

ADT response

Hello Christa- We're very sorry to learn of your sales experience, and for any incorrect information provided. So that we may review this matter with you in greater detail, please be encouraged to message us here and verify your monitored address. ~Tréchell

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Barbara from Jacksonville is an awesome customer relations professional that was a fresh breath of air from start to finish in resolving a complaint in dealing with an issue with a service complaint with our ADT alarm system. She was gracious, tentative and diligent in making the ADT brand stand for paramount customer satisfaction. She went above and beyond in helping resolve our concerns in an expedient manner. If there we more people like Barbara ** in the world of ADT customer relations every other company would be only working for 2nd best. Her talent should be lauded and definitely a trainer to junior and senior staff. Thanks Barbara from Jacksonville and may God bless you abundantly for your talents.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The guys who did install were awesome, very knowledgeable on equipment and did their best to solve and answer all my questions and concerns. On the customer support end, they told me I'd get X amount of dollars worth in equipment credit, and when the installers showed up they only knew about an amount much less. That issue was resolved with free equipment. Also customer support told me my bill each month would be 27.99. It is 52.99. They failed to mention 27.99 a month was only if it was connected to a phone line which I made clear that I do not have an active one. But yet they still continued to tell me my bill would be 27.99 until after signing the 3 year contract.

On another note, we've had one issue within 3 days of our alarm being installed, it was not connecting to the local tower already. This issue was resolved on our own via phone with ADT. We've contact customer support and I addressed these issues and concerns. The lady I talked to over the phone for customer support was very rude, unprofessional, and refused to let me speak with a manager or supervisor.

ADT response

Hello Austin- We sincerely apologize for your sales and installation experience, with regards to any details that may have not been thoroughly explained. We would like the opportunity to review your concerns with our customer service staff in greater detail, as well as any outstanding concerns you may have. ~Tréchell

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Despite my best proactive effort to fully understand the installation charges and equipment charges (TALKING TO INSTALLERS SUPERVISOR TWICE BEFORE ANY WORK STARTED) it was not until 5 holes were drilled into my living room wall (wallpaper) as well as a hole thru a paneled garage wall did I learn that the "additional equipment" (video cameras) that was just added to my security package (by the supervisor) - as a competitive incentive to use ADT - was not "IN ADDITION TO" the initial equipment ordered. Instead, the installer was told that the video equipment was to be "IN PLACE OF" the motion sensors. This "substitution" was not discussed or disclosed to me in my conversation with the supervisor... had it been I would not have let the installer begin the installation.

Long story short, the installer called to explain to his supervisor that the customer had a different understanding of the incentive that was provided. The supervisor declined to talk directly to me, and told the installer that all incentives had been maxed out and the substitution was the only way to complete the transaction. At that point I asked the tech to remove the control panel that he had just installed as well as the wiring that had been fished thru the wall and into the garage.

Upon his departure I asked for a Customer Service number to call regarding the damage and it was provided. After two phone calls to that service I now have an e-mail address for which to send two professional estimates (on letterhead) and pictures of the damage. So now my wife or I have to arrange to get these estimates... We both work and one of us will have to make special arrangements for this. Summary: Make sure you understand every single charge/fee for everything that you "think" you are getting, and confirm each and every piece BEFORE anything is touched in your house.

Resolution response: Sept. 21, 2018

ADT's social media team helped me get this issue fixed within 2 days after I posted here. This time the technician arrived at my place on time and drove to different places to get the necessary parts. He spent quality time to fix and test it. Thanks for all your help!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

STAY AWAY FROM ADT. Very bad experience with ADT. I have been getting low battery signal for almost a week now. I set up a technician visit a week ago. AFTER the scheduled window, I was informed that technician is running behind and will be late by a couple of hours. I was staying home just for this appointment and had to leave for work. I asked them to move it to next day. This time was even worst. Technician again missed the scheduled window and was not even informed of any such delays. This time, I called ADT and expressed my concern. I was then told that technician should be here by an hour. After a 15 – 30 minutes of conversation, ADT came up to void the trip fee to make up for inconvenience caused by this experience.

Technician came in and changed batteries on my remote key system and confirmed that batteries from my wireless keypads should be changed because keypads were continuing to generate warning message, but he did not have it on the stock. So he placed an order on online and made it ship to my address and he left. To my surprise, the package I received had batteries for remote key system which he already changed when he came in. Again, I called ADT and explained the whole story. I am now being told that we need to make one more technician visit to change these batteries for which I need to pay for trip fee and battery cost. Reason I am provided is that last time, the trip was made to change only the remote batteries.

Questions I have are, why did ADT system not know that the batteries had to be changed for wireless keypad systems before the first technician visit itself? Was the first trip not set up for diagnosing and fixing all the issues? Why am I supposed to pay for ADT’s mess and waste my time by going through all these unproductive activities when the technician misplaced order? Note that I spent almost $2K-$3K on devices alone, but it is pathetic that ADT is driving me crazy just to get the batteries changed. Soon, I will definitely be moving out of them. From my experience, I warn you guys to stay away from ADT. It is not worth our money and time.

ADT response

Hello Saravanan- We would like to personally apologize to you, for the service experiences that you have had. We completely understand your frustrations with these matters. So that we may have the opportunity to provide a proper resolution to this matter, please message us here with your monitored address. ~Tréchell

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Mr. Tom ** was our Field Tech today and I would like to start off by saying he deserves a raise. He was extremely knowledgeable, hardworking and respectful. He explained things in very simple terms and made sure that everyone that needed to know what was going on had a grasp on things before he departed. Very helpful man and well mannered. 5 stars in my book. Thanks Tom. Keep up the hard work!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My husband and I decided to use ADT for our first home. We received an advertisement and went from there. We paid $105.68 for the initial contract before we even closed on our house. The "free equipment" that was advertised is NOT free at all. We have 8 windows, 2 sliding glass doors sensors. We have one panel, one wireless remote control, 3 fire alarms, and 2 carbon monoxide devices and we have to pay $1,666.32 for this. The advertisement says "Free 15 Pre-wired doors or window sensors." Amber just told us that was if we had moved into a home that already had ADT set-up. The advertisement's fine print does not say this at all. Between monthly bills and equipment, we have paid $1,192.51 and we haven't been in our home a month. We were told we had 90 days to terminate our service if we were not satisfied! Wrong! We were just informed that we would have to pay $1,315.47 to break our contract. Beware of ADT!!!

ADT response

Hello Tyana- We're sorry to learn of your disappointing sales and installation experience, and for any trouble caused. The referenced promotion is with our Authorized Dealer, Protect Your Home. It does state that it includes 15 "pre-wired" or doors/windows, which would mean that hardwired sensors are already installed in the home. All ADT monitoring agreements have a 3-day right of rescission, which is outlined on the 1st page of the document. So that we may further review your presented concerns, please be encouraged to message us here. ~Tréchell

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

It took over 30 days to get a quote from the person we met at our new house for a security system. We gave him the plans, followed up with him on a weekly basis and NEVER heard back from him. Emailed him, no response. Called ADT separately and they said they would send him a message. Finally I got connected with his boss who did get me a quote. Now that we’re in the installation process the guy is still MIA, he called me the other day and then asked who I was... who does that??? Today our contractor noticed our large door was not wired... has been the absolute worst experience.

ADT response

Hello Kate. We're so sorry for this frustrating experience. So that we can review these concerns further to help, may we please verify the phone number or address for where the service is located? Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

ADT and ADT Security LLC - Gaithersburg, MD: Horrible - I had a broken ankle so I could not see what "Caleb" from ADT was doing. Every door/window was done VERY SLOPPY. Did not clean latex from the old security system. Did not take all old security sensors off. Put new sensors wherever was the least amount of work for him - no matter how it looks. Sensors on windows are not all put in correct place and go off during thunderstorms. ADT completely ignores our complaints. If you want your windows and doors to look as horrible as ours, then go with ADT. Please see pictures below if you want ADT to make your home look like this.

ADT response

Hello Michael- We are sorry to learn of your installation concerns. Please be advised that ADT is not required to remove previously installed equipment or clean up those areas. We have reviewed the photos you've provided, and are not sure what error was committed by our installation team. If you are unhappy with the location of the installed devices, we are happy to review further. Please message us here to review. ~Tréchell

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

My house was broken into and many personal belongings stolen. The ADT alarm was set and failed on multiple levels. We paid extra for window sensors that were supposed to detect breaking glass. The window with one of these sensors, was broken, shattered and was the entry way for the intruder. The sensor failed. Then we have two motion detectors (one upstairs and one downstairs), the intruder walked right past both of these sensors and neither of the sensors detected the movement. Third, we paid additional for two cameras (one upstairs and one downstairs). These cameras failed to record the intruder. The alarm system showed the camera detected movement but the installer never completed the set up of the cameras.

When the alarm is set the camera should start recording when movement is detected, this did not happen. The alarm never went off. We came home to our alarm still being still set, yet failing to trigger at all of the above discussed events. My jewelry was stolen in addition to many sentimental items that cannot be replaced. I reported the events to ADT. They sent someone out, who confirms my system is working and has no explanation as to why it failed. After his visit, I tested the alarm system myself. I set the alarm as I do when we leave home. However, we stayed inside the house and walked the path that the intruder would have walked. The motion detectors never triggered the alarm. My husband, niece and myself stood in front of the upstairs motion detector and jumped up and down waving our arms and hands, it took nearly 3 minutes for the alarm to trigger.

A manager comes out the following week to check the system and again tells me that everything appears to be working. I explain that I tested it myself and there is an obvious issue. He tells me he will put in a ticket to escalate the problem and have it addressed. It has been a month and I have not heard anything from them. I emailed the manager over one week ago and I have not received a phone call or response. I am paying a monthly fee for a defective alarm system. I do not feel safe in my own home. They need to take responsibility!!!

ADT response

Hi Nancy- We've been able to locate your monitored account info and have sent your concerns back to the local management in your area for review. We're terribly sorry to learn of the continued troubles and we hope to resolve this for you ASAP. Thank you for reaching out- Tim L

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I've had ADT services for 10 years at 2 locations. I absolutely love ADT Pulse System & Motion Cameras. I called & talked to sales at ADT & ordered additional ADT Pulse Motion cameras. However, 8/31/18, installer highly recommended Hikvision cameras so I took his word for it & agreed to Hikvision cameras rather than ADT Pulse cameras. WHAT A MISTAKE! Hikvision App sent me constant notifications of motion alarm with video, but motion could not be seen in the video clip. For example on 9/2/2018 from 5:08 am - 8:45 am, my iPhone received 83 Motion Alarm Notifications & this was constant until I deleted App on 9/2/18. My iPhone battery was drained continuously.

ADT is refusing to allow me to change from Hikvision cameras to ADT Pulse Cameras, even though I submitted request to cancel contract for Hikvision the day after installation & had 3 business days to change my mind. The Hikvision cameras were double the price of ADT Pulse cameras. I am 76 years old, have an inoperable brain tumor & plan to file a complaint to Federal & State Commerce Divisions & other agencies about ADT abuse of elderly, disabled, & most vulnerable.

Updated on 09/20/18: I am a long-time ADT customer but began having continual problems with ADT cameras beginning August 31, 2018. Since 8/31/2018, I've had multiple ADT camera problems with multiple hours of ADT employees being at my house. This has caused me a lot of stress. Today, ADT notified me they were cancelling my service because they can't "seem to satisfy" me with the camera problems. My camera complaints were legitimate and I pay monthly for a maintenance fee, which covers work performed by ADT to repair or fix system and camera problems. I would prefer to stay with ADT because I have a lot of money invested in their products.

I'm a senior citizen and need ADT service but ADT said they had the right to terminate my contract. I plan to have my attorney check into the contract my ADT to see if this is legitimate. All the money I have invested in ADT products since 2011 are not compatible with other security companies so I have lost a lot of money. There are State & Federal Laws to protect elderly, disabled, and most vulnerable from physical and monetary abuse. This is an example of WHY these laws are necessary.

ADT response

Carolyn- Your feedback is important to our team and we're sorry to hear of your disappointment. We have reached out to our local office in your area and requested their team review your concerns and contact you to discuss further. A rep should be reaching out within 24 business hours. Thank you- Tim L

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I had been an ADT customer for 5 years prior to the situation encountered in 2017. I moved in 2017 from one rental property to another and thought I was just transferring my service from that location to the new one. Little did I know, it renewed my contract for 3 years (this was not verbally communicated or told to me by phone or the technician who came to my home). Unfortunately, because of a situation with the new house (something out of my control) I had to move out, and where I moved - I could not carry the alarm service with me.

I found out because of my cancellation (this was from a charge that they tried to run through my checking account with and final bill sent) ADT had charged me $932. Let me say this again - I was told whenever I moved, all they had to do is transfer service to whichever location I move to free of charge. They have since then sent my information to a collection agency, in demand of payment. I promise, I will never use them again, I will see to it that no one I know ever uses them again. The power of social media. I will cost them far more than $932.

ADT response

Hello Cynthia - We thank you for reaching out and reporting your concerns to us, regarding premature cancellation of service.

For liability reasons, ADT does not transfer equipment from one location to another. Our internal policy stipulates that you would be required to cancel your services at the original address and obtain a new system in your new home. You would also be required to sign a new agreement with ADT. However, as a pre-existing customer, you may be eligible for discounts towards your new system. Our relocation team would calculate this amount based on your tenure at the previous location. Contingent upon all of these conditions being met, ADT would waive any termination balances you would have had at the previous location.

ADT installs security equipment at a discounted rate and bases much of our profit on the monitoring fees paid over the course of the agreement. Therefore ADT invests quite a bit into every installation completed.

As it stands, the terms of the agreement are fully disclosed at the time of installation. By signing, you are acknowledging that you have read and understand the presented terms, and accept them. We believe in being transparent, that is why the length of the contract and penalty for premature cancellation is in bold font on the first page of all of our agreements.

This is not to say that ADT does not sympathize with your current situation, as we do. However, you would be held responsible for any remaining terms not fulfilled, for the reasoning advised above. Please be reminded that ADT automatically discounts the cost of premature cancellation by 25% on all residential accounts. This is a courtesy that you are contractually guaranteed.

If we may be of greater assistance reviewing, please be encouraged to message us here. ~ Tréchell

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

In regards to previous installation and customer service. I have had my system about 8 years. The last couple of years there has been a problem and my bill kept going up and up even though newer systems are $25. I called to cancel and was promised an upgrade, a discount and a light plug in... The technician (who was wonderful- Not complaining about him) came today with no instructions on why he was servicing my house. Of course everything I was told was not accurate. (All the hardware that needed to be changed.) It turns out that the technician who installed in 8 years ago didn't finish installing the wires! The technician had to contact a co-worker to get parts and in the end was able to complete everything but the plug in... Now trying to chat with ADT about that. I get the runaround.

Update 8.25.18. I received my smart switch and had to call in to install. After 45 minutes I was told that the most recent technician DID NOT install everything I need and they need to send out a technician again!!! WOW. And these people are supposedly protecting my family. Oh and they need to call me back to set up the return technician.

Update 9.1.18. I was guaranteed that a technician would fix the problems today. The technician comes in today and informs me that his visit today is only to see if the installation was done correctly. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I was told it was not by the company. Oh and he tells me that they are sooo overworked! HE does not have the proper equipment. HE has to reschedule to come out. He gives me an attitude. I call ADT. Ask to speak to a supervisor. I get the, "I am sorry to hear that. I do not see your claim that the previous installation was not completed." Oh really you think a technician that was not prepared and did not do his job would actually write notes. The supervisor is going to check on this but I am not allowed to speak to his supervisor. WOW ADT.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We have had ADT for at least 18 years. The reps have called when the alarm has gone off. Every time we have called them for an update with our system or anything else, they have been fine. The techs we got have also been fine and they have been professional. We have been very happy with ADT. The features meet our needs, too. I'd recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We received the promotional flyer in the mail offering a system that is $27.99. I called to ask about this offer and I was asked about what else I was important to me in a security system. The person on the phone let me know that I would be able to get a security system with 15 door/window sensors, a camera, keypad, remote, upgraded to the package that has the Pulse App plus $600 more in whatever equipment we needed and it included a $100 Visa gift card. I told them I do not want to pay more than the $27.99 in the promotion. They said it would not be more than $27.99. I again repeated myself and they assured me it would not be more than that promotional price.

So, I made an appointment for the following day for someone to come out and talk to me. The installer/sales rep came out and first thing he did was install a keypad. This was a little bit confusing at first but it all makes sense when the hustle begins. After he installed the keypad, he basically walked us through the house and gives a spiel about break-in statistics and asks you leading questions to get you to agree to whatever they are going to add. Typical sales tactics. For example, "statistically, the bathroom window is the 2nd most broken into area of houses" then later "wouldn't you agree that the bathroom window should be protected? Then we could put 3 sensors in there." And it never ended after that.

After the walkthrough and all the add ons we sit down and then they hit you with it. He tells us all the stuff that we wanted was over $9k and the monthly is $58 because the system has a cell signal and we can use the app. He said he is going to bring it down to $7k and "because I have good credit, they can break it into 4 payments." I told him what the representative on the phone said and he basically told me that for that we won't be getting any of that stuff from the promotion at the price they said. To use the App it has to be the $58/month package. No cameras. Those were major selling points for us and the person on the phone took advantage of that to get an installer out and hustle us.

The representative on the phone completely mislead us about the promotion and now we are dealing with an installer that is up-selling us on everything to an insane package. Still part of his tactics. So after telling him no, he then goes on and on about this is the full "Fort Knox package" and we can start reducing stuff. This went on for about 4 rounds and I told him this is not what we were expecting at all, we won't be doing anything today, we of course now know why he installed the keypad first and then went through the package. Well he kept going on to reduce the package to things that made it not even worth getting. And going and going and going on to make the sale. They don't take no for an answer. We kept insisting we wanted to think about it. But no budge from him.

In the end we gave in to a small package that is just the keypad and few sensors and monitors, no extra cost for the equipment and the monthly is $36.99. A fraction of what was offered to us on the phone and a higher monthly. And as he was installing, he STILL came back and said "hey my manager just called me and he said he will offer blah blah blah for the $58/month." It doesn't end.

I never authorized anyone to run my credit, so how did this guy know I had good enough credit to make payments on a $9k system? Well, I checked my credit report and they ran my credit without me asking. I don't even know how they got the information to run a credit report because I didn't give them my Social or any permission to run it nor did they make any suggestion that they would run it. Not really sure how legal that was.

We plan on cancelling tomorrow. There are a lot of other security services out there. Really not satisfied with the way the installer didn't stop trying to sell. Really not satisfied with the rep on the phone lying and promising more and not delivering. We did not get the features that we were looking for like the use of the app to arm/disarm and monitor the home and some more security around the house. The installer wasted 5 1/2 hours of my day that I won't get back. He could of just let us think about it like we asked several times when we said no but they wanted the sale and now they're going to have to uninstall this stuff. I have been in a sales position before and this is all a part of their training.

ADT response

Hello Deanna- We're very sorry to learn of your sales and installation experience, as well as the differing details you've received regarding the true costs of the equipment/services requested.

ADT's pricing model is not based on the amount of equipment you have, rather the services being offered to you.

That said, every bundle package will include a limited set of equipment (ex: 2 doors/windows, 1 motion, keypad). Adding additional contacts/equipment that aren't included in a promotion will effect your installation cost. Adding additional services, such as cellular back up monitoring, fire monitoring, ADT Pulse, etc., will all impact your monthly rate as well.

Your package will always be determined by the highest level of services that you receive. All other lower tier add-on services are simply an option you may choose to take advantage of by purchasing the applicable equipment.

We would be happy to review any outstanding concerns that you may have. For our review, please message us here and verify your monitored address. Thank you! ~ Tréchell

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

After an attempted break in in early Jul I contacted ADT (had existing system that worked fine) and had Pulse added. It failed and tech was called. Failed again and again and again. Yes 4 times techs were sent and the issue was not corrected. I wanted to be released from the contract and to make a long story short still have not gotten my money back. Their social media person is still making me wait until 5 Sep to prove a point.

This is the worst I have ever been treated by a company that is supposed to be providing excellent service. ALWAYS THERE is a good slogan for them because they are always here and never fixing the problem and blaming me because I want out of a contract that ADT did not honor. I could go in to how many times I've called and been given the run around by their accounts managers, the people over the phone who are rude and condescending. Still not over. I hope I finally get my money back and this nightmare is over with!!! Seek a security system elsewhere.

ADT response

Hello Linda- Thank you for reaching back out to us. We apologize again for your recent service experiences. I am currently in the process of attempting to resolve your concerns. At this time, ADT has attempted to complete the necessary repairs but have been denied this possibility by yourself. I have just E-Mailed you to offer our additional assistance. Please reply to us there. Thank you. ~Tréchell

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My interaction with the people from ADT has always been good. They were always very cordial and did the best job possible to answer my questions. Their installation team also does a good job. They have always speedily taken care of whatever the problem is. Our package has good features. I have the breakage of windows and the alarm itself, which works perfectly. I have one camera, but it hadn't been tested and I don't know how well it works. Although it's on and it's at a place where we think we need it to be, nothing has happened there. When we call though, we look at it on our telephone and we see if there is activity around the house in that area.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I've had ADT for a long time and my experience with them has been fine. My system works. I have the yard signs and the signs up on my windows. I use the keypad and I usually set the alarm on my phone. I had the installers come out one time to put a new battery in. They changed it and they were very nice.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I lived in Houston, Texas and used ADT security services for a townhome I owned there. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to moved to Missouri and canceled ADT services. I was sent a bill for $818 for cancellation fees and they charged it to my credit card they had on file. I reached out numerous times to get this charge taken off or reduced and never got a callback and never got a resolution. I finally disputed the charge and called ADT and spoke to a manager named Steve who said it was in the contract that they will charge me for services not delivered for the rest of the contract time period. When I explained my unforeseen circumstances, that prompted my sudden move and cancellation of services, he did not offer to remove the charges or with me.

When I asked if there is a superior I could talk to about this, he said he is the escalation manager and there is no one else at ADT I can talk to about this. This was already my 10th phone call about this issue and the company never reached out to me. I asked them to charge me up to $200 cancellation fee but $818 is a lot of money for me. The manager retorted he cannot do that and told me I should read the contract. The contract was multiple pages long and this was not told to me verbally. I think if they charge such high cancelation fees, it needs to be discussed verbally at the time a contract is offered and signed, that would be true informed consent. Expecting a customer to read the entire contract paperwork is ridiculous and is a burden on a customer.

I have so far not received any resolution from ADT and have been charged $818 as cancellation fees. I have disputed this and hope that someone from ADT will reach out to me to arrive at a mutually agreeable agreement on this issue. I am quite displeased with their customer service. All other services at my old home had to be canceled suddenly due to my change of job and drastic move to Missouri from Texas and they all worked with me except ADT. - A dissatisfied customer, Dr. Suchitra **.

ADT response

Hello Suchitra- Thank you for reaching back out to us, today. Our team has been in receipt of your E-Mail, and has already responded regarding this incident. We again would like to apologize for your experience. ~Tréchell

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I'm very surprised that after being told I'd get a call back in a couple hours with some options for appointment times, I called a day and a half later only to learn this takes more like 72 hours. So after my call on Monday morning, I call again Tuesday afternoon and am told to call back Thursday if I have not heard anything by then.

ADT response

Hello G- We're very sorry for the trouble and service delays experienced. So that we may review, please message us here. ~Tréchell

Insufficient response received
Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

We had ADT for 5 years and were happy with the service they provided. But we lost our home to flooding after Hurricane Harvey. We called ADT to help us put in a temporary system while we rebuild the house. We had personal property stolen and gun shots fired at a burglar trying to break into houses in the neighborhood. Unfortunately the service did not function because there was no power to the house.

We just switched to another company, since the HOA had negotiated a better price. We cancelled our contract with ADT. It turns ADT had put a new multi-year contract into our hands when the temporary system was installed. So when we discontinued ADT service, they sent us a bill for remaining contract period ($940) and refused multiple times to reduce or adjust the amount. ADT felt that because they e-mailed us a contract, we had ample understanding of the terms.

Don't know about others, but after Harvey we dealt with insurance companies, FEMA, SBA, City of Houston, State of Texas and many other services to try to recover and almost all the Houston merchants offered discounts or help. ADT had the worst response I have ever received and backed it up with additional excuses for their poor service response.

ADT response

Hello Becky- Thank you very much for reaching out to us. We apologize for any misunderstanding.

Please be advised that the balance of contract on residential accounts is automatically discounted by 25%. This is a courtesy that you are contractually guaranteed.

If we may be of greater assistance reviewing, please message us here. ~Tréchell

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have been a Customer since 4/18. I got 2 doorbell cameras and 2 outdoor cameras to be installed at an adjacent location at a later date. Since August 1, I’ve been given the runaround! This has been very disappointing to say the least!

Updated on 09/07/2018: It was finally completed this morning... It was a very tumultuous experience... many calls and disappointments. I am hoping that everything runs smoothly now. It has been long overdue. My doorbell cameras have been working well. No issues there.

ADT response

Hello Sharlene- We're very sorry to learn of your experience! We appreciate you reaching out, and notifying us of your recent trouble. If you may please message us here, we'd be happy to review. ~Tréchell

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

The house was prewired for a different system, so some installers came and upgraded it. In this case, I’ve had ADT a couple of times, and they are really efficient. I had some wiring in a closet that they were working on and they actually improved the wiring of my stuff as well. They cleaned things up, so that was good too. I have the alarm and monitoring, motion detectors and glass break. My interactions with the reps have been great and really pleasant as well. ADT's service is good and I’m very satisfied with it.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

ADT has been very responsive. Their techs who came to our home were good. One of the alarm boxes that they put by the window recently went bad, the siren kept going on and off, and I had to call them to come out and replace that. They had a quick response time. I have been with them for 20 years and the service has been good. I have been satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I contacted a security service and they have ADT. They provided ADT for me and I’m fine with the features of the system. Plus, I've had good customer service from the ADT reps.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

An ADT system was already installed in the home when I moved in. I have the keypad and I'm very satisfied with the service. I also had ADT in my house across town for years.

ADT expert review by Erin Raub

Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

ADT Company Information