Get a Quote

4.2/5 (2396 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Three available plans
  • Reliable service
  • Smart home connectivity

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart home systems.

Top ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The reps over the phone were very helpful and knowledgeable. They were able to answer all my questions, get my appointments set up, and helped out quite a bit. Then, Steve came fo...

Verified

The sales representative was good and the guy who installed the system was perfect. He explained everything so simply and then, we had fun with it. The package was a good deal and...

What is ADT?

ADT is a security company that provides professional monitoring services for homes and commercial buildings across the United States. The company's home security features include 24/7 monitoring, infrared motion detectors, high-decibel alarm sirens, backup batteries, wireless remotes, yard signs and window decals.

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular connection. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating a response until the threat is over.

Users can arm their home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Control. ADT Control gives you instant alerts of activity, access to live video footage and control over your entire system, including smart locks, smart lighting, climate control and your security devices.

With the ADT SoSecure app, users can alert family or friends of their location or send an SOS for emergency response.

ADT prices

The price of an ADT home security package ranges from $28.99 to $57.99 per month. Consumers can choose from several ADT home security systems packages, including:

• ADT Traditional Monitoring (around $28/month: ADT offers traditional monitoring plans fo those looking for basic protection. Additional charges may apply in areas that require guard response service for municipal alarm verification, and the system is the property of ADT. Additional terms and conditions may apply — ask a company representative for details.
  • ADT Secure (around $45/month): This package provides the essentials to help homeowners and renters protect their homes. Features include security monitoring equipment, 24/7 alarm monitoring, professional installation and monitored fire, flood and carbon monoxide detection. Available equipment includes an ADT Command touchscreen panel, window sensors, glass break sensors, motion sensors and keychain remotes.
  • ADT Smart (around $49/month): Equipment available with this package includes everything in the ADT Secure plan plus smart home automation controls, customizable alerts and the ability to arm and disarm the system remotely.
  • ADT Complete (around $57/month: ADT Complete is the most comprehensive package. Available equipment includes all the items in the ADT Smart package plus security cameras that livestream to mobile devices and can record and save video clips.

Termination fees apply for early cancellation.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: The ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that help reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Video doorbells: Video doorbells allow you to answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

In addition to ADT’s home security equipment, the company also offers smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, flood sensors and emergency panic buttons.

If you purchase ADT Pulse and wish to build out your smart home systems, consider purchasing a smart lock, smart plug or garage controller from ADT.

ADT installation

ADT offers quick, professional installation to ensure your equipment is set up properly.

1. To prepare for your ADT home security installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. For hard-wired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors. Wireless home security systems are typically easier to install.
  3. The technician will walk you through how to use your ADT home security system so you’re confident you’re using everything correctly.
  4. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

Professional ADT installation costs start at $99 and vary based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. ADT offers a 90-day warranty following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

ADT security FAQ

How much does ADT cost per month?
ADT's most basic monitoring plan costs $28.99 per month, and its most premium package is about $57.99, not including installation. Monitoring requires a three-year contract, and termination fees apply for consumers who break their contracts.
Can I add cameras to my ADT system?
You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.
How much does ADT cost with cameras?
Monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select.
Are ADT prices negotiable?
Customers can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long they have been active users. Customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.
Does ADT replace batteries?
ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps you find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.
Does ADT offer security cameras?
Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. You can view camera footage live if you want to check on your home or office.
Do I own my ADT equipment?
It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.
How long does an ADT backup battery last?
The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. You should keep the backup battery charged to utilize it as a backup power source.
Do you need a landline for ADT?
ADT requires a landline for its traditional/basic packages.
Can I use my ADT equipment with another company?
Yes, some other companies reprogram existing control panels to work with its monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before purchasing additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.
How long are ADT contracts?
ADT’s home security contracts last 36 months.
Do ADT cameras record all the time?
ADT’s security cameras can record continuously or only when they detect motion.
Is Protect Your Home now ADT?
Yes. Protect Your Home merged with ADT and operates under the ADT company name.

Is ADT worth it?

Yes, ADT is worth it. People nationwide trust ADT, and it's an industry leader in security monitoring. ADT offers several products and solutions to help protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and lets you control everything from your mobile device. Its technology connects with smart home devices for convenient automation.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I wanted ADT. When I had called PECO to switch over my electric to my new house, they transferred me to a moving service. They said it was supposed to be a centralized system to help you find movers. They could access Wi-Fi. It seemed like a know-it-all center. Somehow after that, they transferred me to Protect Your Home. I didn’t even realize I was talking to them then I got it set up. It was pretty easy.

I was really committed to getting a system. The reps were okay but I was pretty disappointed at the clarity of everything. They kept making it this huge deal where I would be getting $1,300 in equipment. The prices online were not fairly represented and the sales rep didn't represent the cost on installment day. He said, “We're gonna charge your card $100 right now. And if you like it, that's it. If you don't like it, you can send the guy away. We’ll leave as friends. We'll refund your card $100.” He didn't mention that it was gonna be another $3,000 to install the equipment. There were a lot of pre-work that the sales rep should have done. There should have been some prices provided beforehand.

When our installer came out, he tried giving us $4,000 worth of equipment. $1,300 credit really isn't worth much when it's $4,000. We still got to pull $3,000 out of pocket. It wasn't communicated that there was gonna be such an upfront fee especially when they made such a big deal out of having so much money off. We were very surprised. It was funny too. I had already been looking at the sensors because I was curious about what they look like. I did my research. The prices were not disclosed. XFINITY would say, “It’d be $600.” Ring’s security system said, “The upfront cost is $200.” ADT just said, “Zero upfront costs.” So hearing it was going to be $4,000, I was like “Yo, hold on a minute.” But ADT was very transparent about being in a contract for 36 months, which I was fine with.

There were also a lot of things in there that we didn’t need. I didn't need fire or three more carbon monoxide and smoke detectors because I already had those in the house. I didn’t need all the indoor cameras. We cut some of the things out. I do not need a front and back door sign. The system itself is loud enough. In the end, the price eventually came down.

This situation was 1,000% the sales rep’s fault for not clearly communicating and also ADT’s fault for not actually putting on the website what the actual cost of the items were going to be. What I went with cost me $600 to $1,700 even after that so-called $1300 equipment cost. We pulled $17,000 out of our savings account for settlement day two weeks ago. $1,700 is kind of a lot of money. Other people would have been more pissed off for the company not being upfront. Some people who maybe didn't have the resources would have definitely sent some away, not having known the upfront cost of the system. The company seriously needs to be transparent with upfront costs.

We're also having a problem with the cameras for whatever reason. The installer had been back three times and was not able to get them hooked up. I was a little surprised. There are also some feedback to the operations team. I'm an operations manager for hotels. I understand problems happen. But if they have an appointment, they need to be very transparent about that. They said it was between 2:00 and 4:00. The sales rep did not tell me that it was going to take eight hours to install. My appointment was between 2:00 and 4:00 PM.

The installer did not show up until 4:30 and he left a little after 11:00. We weren't even moving into the house yet. There was no Wi-Fi and there was no bed. I was not sleeping there. I had work the next day at 6:00 AM. It was 11 PM and the installer hadn't even activated the outdoor cameras. That was crazy. He was going to install another indoor camera. But I said, “Eighty-six the indoor camera. I actually don't want it after all. Come back and hook up the outdoor cameras when we get Wi-Fi.” I'm overall satisfied with the equipment. It's good and our installer was awesome. I'm still very happy with the end goal but it was was the most transparent experience. And I was exhausted. It was a long day.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

We've only had the ADT system for a couple of days, and we’re adjusting and see what it's going to be like. It’s vastly different than what we've had before. Some of the things, we are still experimenting with them to see. And one of them is we have questions and the technician will be out in, hopefully, another time to go through it. We ran into some things that we didn't expect.

In talking to the person on the phone about the system, I was told that someone would come out and tell me specifically what happened. But a person showed up in my house with things to install the system in my house. He was assuming that the system was sold to us already. We were assuming that the person was coming to tell us about the system. You don't show up at someone's house with your equipment to install in their house. That needs to be perfectly clear upfront with the person before you have met. Fortunately, we were able to talk and we decided to install the system. If it had not been for the technician, we would have told him to leave. But he was a good person and he did a good job.

Upon installing the system, the camera that we have on the garage and the volume for the sound for it, we can barely hear it when we do that. Then the additional thing that we found that since we wanted two cameras, it would cause our internet to go up. So I’m now waiting for the phone company to bring me a new router and increase my upload speed tremendously. Then when we turn the panel that's in the kitchen on, we don't quite understand what the red light and green lights are. We haven't been able to find an answer in the literature we've gone through. So I assume it takes us a few days to determine whether or not this system is going to be something that will wow us.

The initial contact needs to be seamless. You need to really say that this is what you're getting here and not have those questions later. ADT should also evaluate people that are buying cameras. They should evaluate the internet experience and say that upfront before you get to the point where you put it down on paper. It's a considerable expense to update the internet you’re having. When we had it, it was going to end up adding about $30 to my internet cost per month. By the time I put that into the formula, the 60 I'd be paying for the security system and add another 32 would far exceed what I was paying before.

One of the things that need to be included in the presentations especially if people start to talk about cameras and they have internet service. My service has an upload one and a download one. The upload on my service is 4.7, where you should buy a camera that's going to require two-point something of upload capacity even to operate. But we were gonna buy two cameras and to do that, it would take all the capacity for my internet. With what I do at home with my internet, I can't have it down because of cameras. So I called the telephone company to find out what it would cost and their rep started to quote numbers to me and I was blown away. But the person put most of the system in the house already when I found out that it was going to be an additional cost. So I was not gonna have him take the equipment out and leave. But it was not something that made me feel really good about it. I come close to feel like I have been taken advantage of there.

ADT response

Jimmie, Thank you for reaching out to us ! We do apologize that this happened and we will definitely look into this on our end. Thank you for joining the ADT family.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

The customer service guy I talked to on the phone was a manager. We went over different things that was available and he explained to me I would get this and I would get that. I even wrote down exactly everything he said that I was going to get. He made it sound like everything I was getting would be included and I wouldn't have to pay anything other than $99. I even asked if I had to pay anything else. He said that would be all I would have to pay and then I would get a Visa card for $100, which I understood. By the time the installer came here, he explained everything to me and I still had to pay money for the equipment. The installer left with $99 plus 500 and something on my card. I wanted ADT's service, so I was somewhat okay with that.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't know that things were going to cost as much, but even if I called and said something, ADT wasn't going to give me equipment that cost $1,500 for nothing. That man could have come all the way out here, started setting up stuff, talking to us and then when he came to say, "Well, this is how much it is," I could have looked at him and said, "I wasn't told that. I don't have $1,500." He would have had to leave with nothing. He would have also lost all his time, probably his commission or service call and then had to go on to his next one.

I have three payments of over $500, which I wasn't expecting. That had nothing to do with the installer though. The guy was great. He was here when he said he was going to be. It took about the amount of time that he told me it was going to take. He explained to me everything he was doing before he did it. He gave me options on the different places to put the cameras. He asked me and my husband of what we thought as far as input on where he was going to put the cameras or what our needs were, which was really big. I didn't want him just to come in and put them where he wanted. I had an idea of where I wanted things and then he told me whether they would work or not. The guy knew exactly what he was doing and he was very pleasant and professional. He explained everything thoroughly and he gave me a brochure. He also gave me a number to call him back if I had any questions or problems.

I like the features the system has, but I wish the panel board had something other than just a blue display. My other system had different pictures that was displayed. Also, our home is in a secluded area and I like the service of the camera because I can check my camera inside or outside. I travel many weeks out of the year into different states and countries. I need to be able to look and see that my home is being protected when it needs to be protected, so I appreciate the service. However, if the situation gets to where I don't feel comfortable or I'm not getting the coverage that I want, then I would find something else. I switched from another company that I had been with for almost nine years to come to ADT.

I still have a contract with the other company and I'm still paying it, but I left them because I wasn't getting the service and quality that I was expecting to get or was promised. When I called the other company on more than one occasion, I had to wait over 20 minutes to get assistance and that's not acceptable. My husband and I are up an age and that wait could have been detrimental. I could have had something happen, especially now, when you've got COVID and someone stops breathing. If I hit a panic alarm and nobody responds to me, that was not going to work. Somebody could have come in and taken all the stuff, and I would have not been able to do something. If I'm paying for a service, I expect it to be there.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I reached a contractor and I thought I was calling ADT. They gave me a plan that they could do for this particular house I needed to put it on. It was a lot of upfront money that they could give me to put in a system and I couldn't make a decision at that time for various reasons. I had several companies in mind and then, ADT called me a couple of more times wanting the appointment. I told the rep I couldn't at that time because I wasn't at that location. They finally called me back and they said they could make an appointment and then, I could just decide.

The money was there so we could use it for equipment and it would be under no obligation. I would pay a small fee and then, we could decide that day. If I didn't want it, there was no money out of pocket and if I did, we would proceed. I hesitantly still didn't wanna do it. I still wasn't in the frame of mind to do it for various reasons but I was there in that area. I almost canceled it but I allowed the young man to come and he discussed with me what all could be done. It took me quite a while to decide. I didn't want a contract at all but knew that I needed some security there.

Based on what the representative went over with me and the way he was listening, he seemed genuinely concerned about what my concerns were and my reasons for needing it there. I discussed it with my husband who wasn't there and we thought that it would be better to go this route instead of with SimpliSafe. ADT has the legal provisions to put up cameras on a property if you had an interior one. The rep educated me on some things and that day I decided to do it because I needed the security there at that property and needed some smoke alarms and things like that tied in. But I would've liked to have known that the rep was a contractor and not with ADT at that time. He has since told me that they have bought that company. So, they are a part of it. Still, I would have liked more upfront transparency as to that.

I wanted a panel that you could see. I was with another company at my other house and with Vivint, you could see everything on that panel. I wanted that because my mom is there and she's older. So, using phones and tablets were not gonna be suitable. If you put in a camera, you wanna be able to see who's coming up the driveway not only with your phone. Also, my mom called me and she had some issues on what we thought were going on and things weren't registering on my phone. It took the rep a week to go back there and I didn't like that because sometimes you need these things to be taken care of right away. My husband and I are military and we were gone, and I can't leave that location all the time. I dealt with it that week but I needed some quickness to resolve my concerns.

Overall, the experience was good. 12 years ago, I was with ADT at that house and the experience was horrible, which was why I never wanted to go back with ADT again. They kept offering and I explained that I had terrible customer service when I had them before. They were so unfriendly that it makes you not wanna even call them for anything. They assured me that the customer service is not like that anymore so that prompted me to try them again. On my first experience, I didn't recommend ADT to anybody but my new experience all these years later has been positive. I would recommend on my new experience.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I grew up with ADT and my father and I loved it. It was secured. I saw that they had a special for $28 online. So I called them up and had a rep come over the house and he discussed the system that I needed for the house. A lot of bad things happened to my house and I needed some kind of security. So it would be nice to get into detail with them. I loved the system that they got and I wanted to put it in. Also, it was only for 28 bucks a month. I told the rep that I was looking for a package deal. The security that I have inside the house is 100% excellent and I love it. But it is only gonna help me inside the house, so I also need cameras outside. The ADT salesman said that their special was for inside only. The price would come out over $4,000. So I told him that I didn't know if I could afford it.

The salesman said that they were giving the system for free. All I had to do was to do what I wanted inside the house and they could do the cameras once they got the house done. I didn't get a labor bill to install the alarm system and I did get the system for free. I was freaking out and when I got done, I told my neighbors to call ADT and grab their special. My house is secured. I'd walk in the house and then I'd go for the panel really quickly. I love this system. I need security especially with this epidemic and I have them.

Now, this is the problem. The salesman told me that if he put cameras on the house, he would put ADT in a liability. He couldn't put ADT cameras. So I asked what he would recommend and he told me to go to any hardware store and pick the best system that I could possibly afford. Then I would have to make an appointment and they would send a guy over and hook it up for me. I also told him that I didn't have internet service so he told me to specifically ask for a system that could be connected without WiFi internet. So I bought the best system at Home Depot and it was called Night Owl. I then called and they transferred me to this woman. The lady set up an appointment to have a technician come to my house. She also asked if I bought the system that I wanted because I told them that I didn't have internet WiFi and that was what I bought. It was a four-camera with some kind of monitor that didn't need WiFi internet.

Now, the guy, Michael, showed up and he said that they would only deal with ADT equipment. I shouldn't have bought the cameras. He told me that no technician was gonna show up and hook up the system that I got and that I should call the ADT office immediately. So there was a misunderstanding here. I got the right system but the salesman that I spoke to lied to me. Michael is an excellent employee. I learned something knowledgeable and he didn't finger point or anything. He said that I should've gone with the ADT cameras when they came over the house to put in the system. He also confirmed that I did get the system for free.

I called ADT and they told me that they wouldn't hook up anything from any store that didn't have their name on it. They said that I had been mishandled and they would take care of it for me. I had been on the phone trying to figure out why I had to pay for the internet. I gotta pay for a monthly payment that went from 28 to like $70 a month.

What knocked me off my feet was that Michael said that he could send a guy over and hook up the system. The technician would come over and hook up for cameras as quickly as possible because they saw that I needed it because of the tampering and robberies that I had. But it would be for 1,800. Another guy said 2,000. The cheapest one to hook up the cameras for my house within the next couple of days was $1,500. I almost keeled over. I was made to feel good that I didn't owe $4,000 for the system inside the house. But now, I would need $2,000 for a guy to come over to put ADT cameras. I need to get my cameras in the house but I can't afford $1,800 or $2,200.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Customer of ADT for 15 years. Their system in my home is outdated and needs to be updated so they called me to schedule. They wanted to give me a 4 hour arrival window. As a working person I cannot sit around for 4 hours waiting especially since it is their issue. They called again yesterday and the lady agreed to give me a 1 hour window for this morning from 8 - 9 am. It is now almost 10 am. I called customer service and spoke with some arrogant ** that would not let me talk who told me there was no way they would give me a 1 hour window. Do not give these clowns your money! There are many options out there so do your homework and check multiple review sites. You will be surprised as I was. I am cancelling my service TODAY!

ADT response

Hello Chris, We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family for 15 years! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: July 7, 2021

ADT ropes you into a contract and installs sub-standard equipment. They outsource their work to local vendors and constantly try to charge extra for add ons or poorly placed equipment. SimpliSafe works and is a fraction of the price. Much better customer service as well.

ADT response

Hi Tami! Thanks for reaching out. Over time, installed equipment may yield a trouble condition that requires repair. Charges would only apply in cases such as where it is not normal wear and tear and or if a customer does not subscribe to the Quality Service Plan ADT offers. In your particular case, it appears you previously opted out of the service plan, which would require payment for parts and labor when a tech is dispatched to the home for service. We show an appointment currently scheduled for 7/16 and that our management team has waived these charges as a good will courtesy towards the account. If we can be of any further assistance we encourage you to contact us back directly at 1 800 238 2727 so we can further assist. Thank you- Tim L

Original review: July 6, 2021

HORRIBLE. They will require to you to sign a three year contract. The equipment is garbage and will malfunction quickly (took ours 2 weeks), Scheduled a service tech. Waited four hours - no tech. Called and was told ,"Nope, he's not coming." I asked whether anyone would call me and was told "Yeah, she's got four other customers to call, she just didn't get around to cancelling you yet". So they stand up LOTS of customers. And now we're stuck with this terrible company for three years. Grrrr.

ADT response

Hello Jess, We're so terribly sorry to learn of this unacceptable experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details along with your post for further assistance.

Original review: July 3, 2021

Very long hold times to speak to a supervisor. I was on hold on, first time 1 hr 16 minutes and second time 1 hr 10 minutes. Equipment failure. Tech who was supposed to be at my home 8-12 pm on a Saturday, no showed and when I spoke to him told me he too is overwhelmed. Then had a rep tell me the appointment shouldn't have been scheduled same day. Absolutely horrible customer service and cannot rely on ADT equipment. I regret signing the contract. Faulty equipment.

ADT response

Hello Ms. D, Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us regarding our services. We do apologize for the hold times that you experienced while trying to speak to a supervisor. We have reached out to our local management team to assist with your account. Someone from that office will contact you in 24-48 business hours. They will ensure all issues are addressed and resolved on your appointment on 7/6.

Original review: July 1, 2021

We bought a new home in central Maine in October of 2018 and were solicited by ADT to install a security system. The costs for both the equipment and the monthly fee were shockingly high but we went ahead due to the promise of “exceptional customer service”. We have had nothing but problems since the beginning, from faulty smoke detectors that would just go off in the night to countless service calls where the technician never showed up. Now when we call we know our “soonest appointment” will be at least a month out and time after time, after being stood up, they immediately say, “Well you’re two hours from our home office.” Is this my fault or problem? They solicited me. Avoid them if you can. No one at ADT is held accountable and you will not have an advocate when the issues begin.

ADT response

Hi Wendy! We're terribly sorry to learn of these troubles throughout the years. Our office would be happy to review anything in particular that may be driving these troubles. We would be happy to reach out directly to assist. Please let us know if you'd like us to do so, and we will gladly contact you. Thank you- Tim L

ADT Company Information