ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.61/5

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
View More View More

ADT Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I was getting notification that I was running out of video storage 2 weeks before the first of the month. I called ADT and was treated with great respect and concern for my concern. Within moments, the issue was resolved and ADT made sure I was happy with the outcome. What a GREAT team!

ADT response

Hello Willie- We are happy to hear that we have been able to resolve your issues. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and let us know of your experience. -Jackie

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

We were receiving alarm faults on a door sensor and scheduled a visit with a technician. I received 2 appointment notices via text message, one the day before and one the same day the visit was scheduled, of which I was asked to confirm or cancel by responding to the text. Sam (the technician) arrived on time. After he replaced the faulty sensor, he took the time to check our cell unit, he noticed it was an older 3G and replaced it with a newer 4G.

He then checked our control panel to ensure everything was functioning properly, He then checked each and every glass break, motion detector, glass break and fire alarm that we have. He discovered that one of our glass breaks was not functioning properly and replaced it. I am seriously impressed with his work ethic, his knowledge of the product, his positive attitude, and his professionalism. I only wish that every service technician in any field that I ever have to encounter would be a clone of this man. Well done Sam! Thank you ADT.

ADT response

Karen- Thank you for letting us know of your awesome experience and for being such a great part of our ADT Family! We're so glad to hear that Sam was able to resolve the issues with your system and will be letting his manager know of your terrific experience with him! ~ Eileen

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have had ADT for several years and have never had a false alarm. It’s very easy to operate and the monthly fees are reasonable. I was able to set the number of seconds I needed to get out the door after turning it on. Likewise, you can also set the time needed once you open the door to be able to shut it off. I really like the fact that the battery will take over if for some reason you lose power. I’ve received helpful and courteous service when I’ve called about the battery needing to be replaced. That was easy. I purchased the battery and was able to install it myself. I feel very safe with this system.

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us Linda. We are happy to hear of the positive experience you have had. Thank you for being part of the ADT family. -Jackie

Original review: July 16, 2019

I like the system. It's got a bunch of options and features including front door, sliding door, window, entry, and exit alarms. We have the complete system installed in our home. However, we couldn't get into the system when we moved in. Apparently it got cancelled until the new contract was signed. Oh, the in-home alarm still worked but over time when the company came to renew the contract, the guy who came to our home, because we can't afford the monthly charges, started unhooking wires to the point of removing parts here and their dis-alarming the whole system.

I have this elaborate system installed in my home ($3k +) and because we can't afford to keep paying the monthly premiums, we can't even use the alarm system at all. I get you pay for a service. What makes me mad at them is the system has been bought, installed, paid for and now because of one visit from a company rep, the company rip (ripoff), the whole alarm system has been turned off and we can't even use it as a door alarm apart from their monthly service fee.

I rated them high because I believe it's a great system but BE ALARMED. If you can't keep paying the monthly service fee, you wasted money having the system installed!!! Perhaps I would of wanted to start paying for the service but ADT basically said by their actions, nope you had your chance. I got a whole bunch of useless wired alarms that because I stopped paying for a month, the whole system is useless. Think about before you pay for the system because if life changes causes you not to pay for their service they will not just turn their service off. They will completely dis-alarm that whole elaborate system you paid for!!

Original review: June 10, 2019

I am moving and had to move service to my new home. I was connected to Joshua via ADT phone service and he was beyond helpful, not pushy but educated me on my decision. I had to talk to my SO and he was able to email me the information and even called me back when I wanted to proceed. He did not hide anything and was open and transparent throughout the process. I may have cancelled service if it would have been a big ordeal moving to a new home but he made it quick and easy. Thank you Joshua for your amazing customer service. I hope I could deal with you for my other services too!

ADT response

Hello Andrew- Thank you for reaching out to us with your kind words about Joshua. We are happy to pass along the compliment to his manager! -Jackie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I've had this service for a few years now and I don't have any major complaints. They do their job and they respond quick. This is the kind of service that you want to never have to need and luckily I've never had to deal with any major incidents.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I recently applied for their services. When I stated that I can't have another hard inquiry, as it will affect my closing on a house. They repeatedly told me that it was a soft pull. 2 days later, I find this hard pull on my report. I contacted them and spent over 1 hour talking to various people and no one can help and keeps transferring me. I now have taken legal action to address this as they seem to care less.

ADT response

Hello Michael- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had. We can assure you that this is being addressed. We see that you have spoken with management team member Anya and she has forwarded this concern to our installation partners Defender Security for assistance with resolving this concern.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I cancelled my services well before the last day of my contract. The phone representative told me no further action was needed and that my account would be closed before the last day on my contract. I received a bill in the mail several weeks later for additional services. I called ADT and was told the bill was for services for 30 days after my cancellation as that is their process. What a way to sneak in extra charges. I didn’t receive any services during this time but am expected to pay them more money. I will never go back to this sneaky company again.

ADT response

Hello Kimberly- Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. We apologize. We have waived the balance of $30.71 and there is no further balance owed.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

We had ADT for home security for over 10 years, but always felt it was expensive given the service it provides. We cancelled the service in the fall and months later had issues with e system spontaneously setting itself off. When we contacted ADT they refused to help us as we had cancelled service and suggested we hire an electrician. Unbelievable! We will certainly never recommend this company to anyone.

ADT response

Hello Tara- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had. Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

On January 27, 2020, I called to cancel my request for services and was told I would receive a refund in 7-10 business days. No one filed my request. On November 15, 2019, I entered into a sales agreement with a local ADT technician to have services installed in my home. The technician couldn't get the scheduling department on the phone before leaving; therefore, he said he would schedule the service and send me a text message with the date/time. The services were scheduled for a date in December; however, the date did not accommodate my schedule. When I called to reschedule that date, there were no other dates in January that would work either. I told them I didn't want to cancel just yet and would give them a call back.

The sales agent realized I hadn't had the services installed yet and reached out with alternative dates. I told him the ONLY dates that would fit my schedule and never heard back from him. Instead, I receive a text from ADT giving me a date that would definitely not work for my schedule. So, I call and cancel the installation and request a refund. Imagine my surprise, when instead of a refund text, I receive another text from ADT regarding my upcoming installation. So, on January 27, 2020, after SEVERAL failed attempts to have an installation canceled because of these scheduling issues, I finally was successful (or so I thought) in canceling the installation and was told I would receive a refund in 7-10 business days on my card of payment.

On February 11, 2020 (Business Day 11), I called to learn the status of my cancellation only to learn that my cancellation, in fact, was not processed. Instead of the company rectifying what was clearly their error in efforts to make me whole, they have told me to wait an additional 3-5 business days while they process the request... That I made their stated 7-10 business days ago. It did not take them 3-5 business days to collect their payment; therefore, in no way, should the customer that never was wait 3-5 days for an error on their part. I have spoken with numerous "customer service" agents, none of which remotely took credit for the error made on their behalf.

At this point, ADT has stolen my money because I am well beyond the days for any of this to be an acceptable business practice. I find it impossible to believe that my attempts to cancel a contract were not completed by multiple individuals without this seeming like some type of fraudulent business practice. At this point, I, and my money, are being held hostage for a product I never received.

ADT response

Hello Lori. We are so sorry for this frustrating experience. We'll be sure to have the calls reviewed and any necessary coaching opportunities implemented. In the mean time, we do see that refund request is in place to be sent back to your credit card. Please continue to allow 3-5 business days to have the refund processed. Please also note that should you dispute the charge with your bank, this may result in a double refund from your bank and ADT and will result in further issues. -Andrew

ADT expert review by Ben Mannes

Home security packages start at $27.99/month with 36-month contracts. ADT offers monitoring packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home.

• Customized security systems: An ADT technician conducts a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirements, including security systems, cameras, emergency alarms and home automation devices.

• Professional installation: Installation fees can be up to $199. Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation.

• ADT Pulse app: The app lets users access their security system, turn lights on and off, adjust thermostats and more from anywhere.

• Money-back guarantee: ADT offers six-month money-back guarantees, so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

ADT Company Information