3.9/5 (490 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

Top ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

ADT's customer service is great. My understanding of what I was getting was awesome. I like the security of knowing my house and personal belongings are protected. Also, the addit...

Verified

… Having the system makes me feel more secure in my own home because you don't know what's going to happen. I like it good and I'm happy with ADT. The cameras were not in the pack...

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular connection. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating a response until the threat is over.

You can arm ADT home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Control. ADT Control gives you instant alerts of activity, access to live video footage and control over your entire system, including smart locks, smart lighting, climate control and your security devices.

With the ADT SoSecure app, users can alert family or friends of their location or send an SOS for emergency response.

Monitoring requires a three-year agreement, and termination fees apply for breaking a contract.

If you like the idea of professional monitoring but don’t want to sign a contract, check out Blue by ADT, a DIY option.

ADT prices

Monthly costs for ADT home security packages range from $28.99 per month to $57.99 per month. Equipment costs range from $599 to $1,049. If you don’t want to pay upfront, financing costs from $9.98 to $17.48 per month for 60 months. Installation fees range from $99 to $199.

You can choose from several ADT home security system packages, including:

• Essentials: For around $36 per month, you get three window and door sensors, an infrared motion detector and 24/7 professional alarm monitoring.
  • Total Protection: For around $44 per month, you get everything included in the Essentials package plus Safewatch Cellguard, which lets you connect the system through a landline.
  • Premium Protection: For about $56 a month, you receive everything in the other packages plus ADT Pulse, which includes home automation. You can monitor and manage the system and smart devices through the app.

For more, see how costs compare for ADT vs. Vector, ADT vs. Xfinity, ADT vs. Cove and ADT vs. Guardian Protection.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular home security equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: The ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that help reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Google Nest Doorbell: ADT uses the Google Nest Doorbell, which lets you answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

How long does it take ADT to install?

ADT offers quick, professional installation to ensure your equipment is set up properly. Depending on the size of your home, it could take less than an hour. Larger homes could take a little longer. Here’s what you can expect from the installation process:

1. To prepare for your ADT home security installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. For hard-wired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors.
  3. The technician will walk you through how to use your ADT home security system so you’re confident you’re using everything correctly.
  4. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

Professional ADT installation costs start at $99 and vary based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. ADT offers a 90-day warranty following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

Can I add cameras to my ADT system?

Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. You can view camera footage live if you want to check on your home or office.

You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.

Video monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select.

Do ADT cameras record all the time?

ADT’s security cameras can record continuously or only when they detect motion.

Are ADT prices negotiable?

Sometimes. You can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long you’ve been an active user. For example, customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.

Does ADT replace batteries?

Yes, ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps you find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.

Do I own my ADT equipment?

It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.

How long does ADT backup battery last?

The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. You should keep the backup battery charged in case you need it as a power source.

Do you need a landline for ADT?

ADT systems can work with or without a landline.

Can I use my ADT equipment with another company?

Maybe. Some other home security companies can reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before you purchase additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.

How long are ADT contracts?

ADT contracts are typically 36 months for the monitoring agreement and 60 months for financing equipment.

Is ADT worth it?

We think ADT is worth considering if you want a professionally monitored home security system. People nationwide trust ADT, and it's an industry leader in security monitoring.

ADT offers several products and solutions to help protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and lets you control everything from your mobile device. Plus, the technology connects with smart-home devices for convenient automation. For more, see how ADT compares against our top picks for smart home security systems.

ADT Medical Alert is also available for older adults who want to feel safer at home and worry about falling or medical emergencies.

adt reviews summary

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have two systems ‘cause I have two different houses. I added my second house to the ADT system. My first system, we've had it for a couple of years now. I just upgraded it at the beginning of this month. The tech was really good, nice and knowledgeable. Was easy to talk to. The big feature that was new with the ADT Control compared to the ADT Pulse was the touchscreen control pad, which is awesome. Then also the cameras. The cameras were 10 times better with ADT Control than they were with the old ADT Pulse. They were bad on the ADT Pulse. Plus, it has the capability of two-way conversation through the cameras. Which is awesome when you have kids at home and you're like, “Go to the bus.”

We always had an issue with the ADT doorbell never wanting to connect, always bombing out. So with this one, they brought the new Google doorbell. So far, it's been really nice. The only downfall is that I have to have another app to be able to access it. It's not run through the ADT Control app. I have to run it through the Google Home app.

I'm paying for two houses and they combined both the monitoring under one payment, which is awesome. But then I have two other payments that are coming out randomly throughout the month that are for the installation payment or for the actual equipment itself. When they told me, with the package, that it’s going to be automatically all rolled up into my monthly payments, I was like, “Cool.” So on this monthly payment, I expected an additional 20, and on this one, I expect an additional 10.

But when I talked to the lady from customer service this morning, I was like, “Why is it showing in my system three separate payments?” She said, “These are flexi payments on this one and flexi payment on this one. They're gonna come out on these dates.” So through ADT right now, I have my monitoring for both houses on one bill. Then I have turned around and I have the flexi payment for one house on another bill that comes in on the middle of the month. Then I have another flexi payment that comes out at the end of the month, instead of having it all combined under one payment.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

We had two different people that had different systems, one was my daughter and one was my daughter's best friend. SO, we called and set up an appointment to talk to both groups. One of them was ADT and they gave us a price that was competitive with the other group’s offer and the gentlemen representing the sales in both companies were both very good. But there was something about the product itself that had us go with ADT. Their rep also negotiated a price which was a tad bit better. It wasn't a large amount of money, but we liked the fact that he was working with us. The other guy just said, “This is it and that's all we do.”

So far, I feel comfortable knowing that my security system is in place and that all the elements of it seem to work to the best of the ability of them to work. Everything seems to be satisfactory and we haven't had any difficulties with our ADT system. But right after the install, the camera wasn't working at the rear of the house. They scheduled to come out and they came out fairly promptly. There was something wrong with the wiring but a guy came out and got it right. He was excellent. We'd never had a system before, so for us, there seemed to be an ease of understanding what was going on and utilizing the system. I also really like the panel inside the house versus the phone app which has worked very well. If I pull out of the driveway and I forgot to arm the system, the phone app allows me to stop at the corner and "Arm Away" after I've left.

Aside from that, I appreciate the customer service of all three people that we've dealt with at the home, the salesperson, the installer, and the guy that came to fix the wiring. As a consumer of anything, I appreciate when the provider listens to what the customer’s saying and works with that. When people tell you, “Well, this is this and da, da, da,” and they don't listen to what you're asking questions about or telling them, I find that very off-putting. But ADT's reps were very cordial and everybody listened.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

I’ve always have had a security system but I became a little disgruntled with the service I had prior to last week. My system wasn’t working and I stayed on the phone with the young man for two hours on Monday night. He told me that someone will be sent out on Thursday. After no one came on Thursday, I called back to find out what was going on, and the lady I spoke to said that they didn't have anyone scheduled to come out. But I told her what the young man told me before. She said she couldn't get anybody out again for another week so I said I will just cancel my service and go with someone else.

When I got ready to cancel, I had to wait on hold for an hour for somebody to answer the phone. Then they told me I had to go to another department and had to wait another 30 minutes for that department to answer. I can understand that since the pandemic, a lot of companies might not have these staff that they normally had in the past. But to have to stay on hold for an hour was ridiculous. At one point, they told me that if I left my number, someone would call me back. I did, and no one ever called me back. So, customer service is far most important for me.

When I called to sign up with ADT, the young man told me all the things that they were waiving. When the install guy got out and he was telling me that ADT would just be financing my equipment for 700 and some odd dollars, I said that I was never told that I had to pay for the equipment. He got on the phone and called someone. I guess they went back and listened to the tape that I was never told that I have to pay for the equipment charge, so they went ahead and did that.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

We had trouble getting a sales rep to our house. He wanted to do everything over the phone and kept trying to reschedule our appointment four times. We live an hour away from Tucson, Arizona. He said he could just look at your house via Google and try to give us an estimate that way. That really pissed my husband off. We're in the military and we expect the very best at all times. Not everybody can give it but this dude was telling us he was prior military too. I called and wanted to speak to somebody higher up than him because I didn't want to deal with him anymore. It turned out that he's the regional manager. That was really bad.

We just couldn't wait for him to get here, look at our house and everything that needs to be done then just get out. He needs to find a different job or he needs some coaching. We were appalled. We are consumers and we want this product in our home. I tried to go to management about this but it didn’t go any higher up than this regional manager. ADT didn't want to give me information so I was not happy about that. I kept getting transferred. I was ready to drive to the Tucson, Phoenix office because I was like, “I don't want this guy who seems like he's very complacent in life, that just doesn't care, to go into my house and try to sell me a security system when my husband’s a cop, and he's in the military.” It did not sit well with us.

Thankfully, ADT sent some guy who came in to do the install and he was great. He went over everything and he sat down with us. He is a great employee for ADT. The system has been nice and we've enjoyed it. I have to be here by myself until February so it makes me feel safe, which is the most important thing. We had another tech come out and he was great too. He came right away and installed the thermostat. Other than the sales experience, my husband and I are very pleased and we’re glad that we went with ADT.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

We use ADT for our business. We've had them for the past five years and never had any issue. So, we decided to stay with them when we moved. The installer was good. I was a little disappointed in the salesperson that I spoke with on the phone because they didn't give us any insight as to the cameras and stuff that we were hoping to have installed. They didn't let us know that it needed this much internet speed and make sure we had all that done beforehand. So, we just went with our basic internet package. They came out two days before ADT.

So when he came out, he said that he couldn't install the cameras that we wanted because we didn't have the adequate internet speeds. I wasn't gonna turn around and pay Spectrum $100 to come out and give me a new modem and then another $50 a month just for cameras. So, it was quite the debacle when he came out here. But other than that, he was good.

The only other issue that we had was since we were moving, I was thinking that we were just transferring service. Apparently, that was not the case. I realized after the fact that I was gonna have to call and cancel the old location's monitoring, 'cause I went in and logged everything online, and I realized there was another bill for the old address.

I called and they had not stopped service there. They were like, "We require a 30-day notice." I said, okay. But, that would have been nice also for the representative that I spoke to when I was talking about transferring my service to say, "We need to go ahead and put in a request to cancel that service on such and such date. And then your new service will be on a different bill." So, now, whenever I get that final bill sometime mid-November, I'm gonna have to call and dispute the two months of extra charges on there.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

ADT is the worst company when it comes to security camera equipment and customer service. I got outdoor cameras which were installed from a third party company. I have to go through another separate application to check the outdoor camera video. I also got indoor cameras which I need a different application to check the video (ADT app). All which is very inconvenient and a pain. The app for outdoor cameras takes absolutely too long to load up. Outdoor camera video freezes and pixelates almost all the time. The motion is delayed as well. ADT tried to blame my internet signal which was tested every time they sent out a technician and was working just fine.

I tried cancelling my whole ADT service in December 2021 because I was within the 6 month money back guarantee but they said there was a procedure to follow. That they had to send technicians to check the problem first. They sent about four different technicians which didn't fix anything. About 3 months pass and still nothing. I contacted customer service several times spoke to a lot of different people including all supervisors. They said it was up to the supervisor here at the local ADT office to escalate and cancel my service. I NEVER ONCE SPOKE TO THIS PERSON! UP TO PRESENT DAY STILL NOTHING! I can't fathom how this is possible and why it's so hard to contact a customer and perform a simple cancellation!

I even emailed corporate about the cancellation as directed by customer service. Every time ADT calls I can repeat what they are going to tell me before they get to it because I have talked to so many representatives and they all do the very same thing every time. They transfer me to account management, take my number put it in the notes on the account, transfer me to a supervisor, they send a message to local ADT office, they say I will get contacted in 48 to 72 hours, and then... NOTHING! I still have this stupid service and just stopped paying it. I have proof I attempted to cancel within the 6 month guarantee whenever they feel like contacting me.

ADT response

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We will use this opportunity to improve.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

We had a fire in August of last year and everything was destroyed so we had no ADT equipment that was functional. We got the equipment reinstalled and I thought everything would be going good. But we had a battery go low in one of the boxes and I called and I got people I couldn't understand because their accents were so strong. One gentleman was going to tell me how to do the box myself and replace the battery but I said I'm in my 70s. I can't climb up on a ladder and I can't do that stuff. He said he was going to transfer me to appointments.

I would call every morning and I would get put on hold for 45 minutes or they would call me back. The first two times, I took a call back, and when they called me back, they said they had to transfer me and it was another 45-minute wait. It took me almost two weeks before I was able to get someone out here. A tech came yesterday morning and there was a service charge for them to come and do anything, which they didn't have before. It was a nightmare. We had ADT for 10 years and I had never had problems like this.

Up to this point, we had had really good ADT service. When I had to call for any information on anything, I got someone I could understand and who could help me quickly and walk me through things. Also, they were very responsive and quick with the alerts. When the fire happened, we were in a no cell area for a period of time on that day so I did not get the ADT alert. They called my sister and before they called her, they called the police. When my sister got here, the police were already here and the alarms were all going off. In a matter of seconds, the fire departments were already coming. But this last experience, it took almost two weeks to get a battery replaced, I couldn't understand people, and I was constantly put to wait. That just blew me away. People have schedules and they have work commitments. They can't be waiting 45 minutes and plus for someone to come on the phone.

ADT response

Hello, we are sorry to learn of your concerns. We see you had a service call on 09/15/2022, if you still need any additional assistance, please let us know via email to alwaysthere@adt.com.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

A couple of years ago, I upgraded because my NSS was old. The tech put a panel where you press the buttons on it. He put in ADT and everything was fine. I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I've been very pleased with ADT. We have a surrounding area that's quite dark and I feel good about having the system. When anything goes off and I don't get to the phone quickly enough or shut off the phone, I get a phone call to see if everything is okay. We've been very satisfied with their response and everything. My last dealing was shortly ago and the rep talked us through getting the battery put back into the kitchen detector which was on the ceiling. It was hard to get to but we did and then it was starting to come off the ceiling. The screw had lost its grip, so he sent some double-sided tape and other instructions.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Updated on 09/23/2022: Apologies for the delay. I was waiting for a Branch Manager to contact me. They finally contacted me last night. Once again, an ADT rep told me that "DON'T WORRY IF YOUR CAMS GO DOWN AND DON'T RECONNECT. IF SOMEONE BREAKS IN YOU HAVE ADT." I am so livid with the customer service provided. I have cams so I don't get victimized by a break in. They said someone would be here today between 8am and 9am. THEY ARE A NO SHOW. I am getting ready to leave this property for the winter. I am now having to have a secondary security company to come duplicate the security that ADT has been paid for but can not provide or assure that it will work. According to the 8 ADT reps that have provided me with customer service, none of the associates have trust in what the previous rep is telling me. It is such a mess. This is a 5 year contract valued at near 10,000 dollars. It's a mess.

Updated on 09/18/2022: So I posted this week about ADT poor performance this week. Still no resolution. Another call from virtual tech support who said once again that the previous rep was wrong with information provided. STILL NO CALL FROM BRANCH MANAGER. ONCE AGAIN MY CAMERA IS OFF WITH NO NOTIFICATION. THIS IS CRAZY. DON'T GO THROUGH WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH.

Original Review: Into my 5th hour of trying to resolve my 35 day old system failure. Still with every tech/customer service person the previous agent doesn't know what they are talking about. It's a mess. Now to find out my cam was never going to work properly per tech support. The wifi trend speed was too low for my camera to ever work. It never should have been put in. Now they want to charge me 2000 plus to do take the system that does not work out. Beware of ADT. Their reimbursement period is 3 days! Plus the installer told me this was a month to month contract. I guess we are going to court.

ADT response

We're so terribly sorry to learn of this experience you've had as a member of the ADT family! We would love to address these issues with you further. If you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com with the full address in which the services are located and the account details further assistance.

ADT Company Information