Call toll free
4.54/5
    2079
Based on 2,612 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

7557 ADT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 16, 2018

ADT has never let us down after 10 years of service. We are very satisfied customers. Anytime we need anything, their customer service team and technicians are prompt, pleasant and helpful. Many thanks for giving our family peace of mind.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 12, 2018

I had a 2 yr ADT contract; canceling after about 16 months (8 months left) due to relocation - am moving to a different city to live in an apartment (as opposed to a single family home). So canceling ADT rather than transferring. Canceling is a nightmare. They will do all in their power to delaaay it - take one more month's fee and to see if you end up changing your mind - yes, some really cheap tricks in play here. If you do decide to transfer ADT service to your new place, here is the deal - yes they will transfer it, but then you will start a NEW 2 year contract again. You move again in six months - they'll transfer again, no problem, but then you will start a NEW 2 year contract again. See?? It's hard get rid of them, not without paying the 75% fee (75% of the remaining contract fee. I have a 8 months left, so it is 75% of $52 * 8).

I agreed to pay the 75% feet. So can I pay over the phone NOW and get done with it NOW? No. No, not that easy. They want to delay it forever.
- no email confirmation of the cancellation

- they want to send me a mail to my home address within next fooour to siiix weeks. I have to read and discover how I can pay to close this. This looks so lame! You want 75% of the fee - take it, I will pay today... just shut it down NOW. Why all this drama and all the delay??? Want one more month's fee? Sure take it... make it part of your contract... take it NOW... why waste my time? Take money, take all 100% of the remaining fee if you want - just shut it down today. Why waste people's time??? I will never ever sign up with ADT service.

ADT response

Sudha- We're so sorry to hear of your troubles with our team and we'd appreciate the opportunity to review this further. Please check your email for a response from our myself regarding this complaint. We hope to hear back soon! Thank you- Tim L

Original review: July 12, 2018

The whole experience was awesome from the initial meeting to the install. Kerry ** did an awesome job. He let us know of things we could get in the future. Everyone that we dealt with was knowledgeable and gave us the best customer service.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have no complaints, Very happy with service. I have used your company for many years, and would recommend your services happily. Your technicians are always polite and skilled, completely reviewing everything I need to operate with assurance. When I have questions your representatives on call have my answers, this is top of the line service as far as I am concerned. Thank you!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

It's very bad and hard experience. They are cheat as they bound us in a three-year contract and every month ask for $100 and more. We want to get rid of their security system which is not even working but they are asking $1100 to leave. It's a cheat company.

ADT response

Hello Shashi- We're sorry to hear you feel this way! Our team was able to locate your account and see that you purchased your security services through an ADT Authorized Dealer. An ADT Authorized Dealer is an independently owned and operated company. They install and sell alarm equipment, but do not provide a monitoring service. They partner and contract with us to provide a monitoring service to their privately acquired customers and, in most instances, ADT purchases the contract from them after a pre-arranged set of time. Our team will reach out to their office on your behalf and provide them this feed back. Expect a follow up so we can ensure your satisfaction. Thank you! - Tim L

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: July 11, 2018

Free install cost me $386.00 first bill. $20 dollars over what I was told. Your alarm system is in a box on my front porch. Come and get it. Why in the world would I change security providers to pay more money than before? Same security system. Customer service nice and sassy. Stay far away from ADT.

ADT response

Hi Steven- Your ADT installer has attempted to reach out and left a VM regarding your concerns. If further assistance is needed please feel free to email our team directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com and we'll be happy to assist. Thank you!

Original review: July 11, 2018

I had been a customer with ADT for over 5 years. I sold my home in March, 2018 and the new buyer and I called ADT to switch the account over to the new owner on 3/19/18. I was told that as soon as the account was re-activated by the new owner I would be refunded the amount I would pay to finish out the 3 year contract. I was never told that the new owner would have to have the technician come out to re-activate within 30 days in order for me to be refunded. I called today to inquire about my never received refund of $163.86 and was told that I was not entitled to a refund. It seems that once the technician went out to the location the new owner installed a completely upgraded ADT system and since it took longer than 30 days to complete I would not be getting my money back. I attempted to reason with "Lisa", who was unwilling to listen to my points.

ADT response

Hi Jean- We're terribly sorry to hear that these concerns have not been addressed to your satisfaction. The time frame for reactivation/ relocation for reimbursement of charges paid due to cancellation of the contract while in agreement for services are 24 months. We see our team has processed the refund for $163.86 and should be returned within 7-10 business days. Please feel free to email us directly @ AlwaysThere@adt.com if further assistance is required.- Tim L

Original review: July 10, 2018

I am reviewing ADT because our experience has been so disappointing and taken so much trouble to try to resolve. It remains unresolved. We began a contract 12/13/2014 with the company. We wanted to cancel the contract before the completion date (we thought we would at least inquire). As expected, ADT did not cancel early. We verified our request would need to be in writing 30 days before the expiration of the contract. We did this.

Then the bills, harassing phone calls and threats of damage to our credit rating began. ADT denies ever receiving our cancellation request. We were told we needed our PIN# to cancel (which we told them we can't find since we don't use the alarm). They agreed to send a new pin (which took 2 more months) and the bills continued to accrue (no surprise at this point). They offered to decrease our monthly bills, despite our cancellation letter and multiple phone calls. ADT employees have been interruptive, put us on hold, and pushed us on to 3 more employees in many of our conversations with ADT. We were so sick of the increasing bills and phone calls, we just paid the $153.00 they said was our balance.

We asked for an email to verify the account was closed as they said it was with our payment. Nope, never done. Now, a higher bill came in the mail. Again, we called ADT. They now say we could pay about 30 bucks to close the account! Today, it took 4 tries to get employee "B" to read back to me my correct email address. He said he didn't "have time to tie up his line" and put me on hold. I hung up, disgusted with myself for even having paid the $153.00. Horrible waste of time and $$ with ADT.

Frank,

Thank you for reaching out to ADT to give us an opportunity to address your concern. We appreciate the feedback you have provided to us. After review of your account I can confirm that the final balance on your account ($31.51) has been removed and your account now has a zero balance.

If we can be of any other assistance, please let us know! - Megan H.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Very good and helpful and prompt service. Thanks! The man who came knew what he was doing and he solved the problem. Seems like we decided to buy a service contract too. ADT is what I recommend to folks when we talk about security systems for residences.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Very good company with exceptional service and products. I've had ADT for 10 years now and never had a problem! ADT is continually increasing their awareness for the best and most innovative services to fit my needs. Pricing is fair and competitive.

Original review: July 7, 2018

My husband had Parkinson'/Alzheimer's and had forgotten the code. I was able to put it in quickly. I appreciate your emails to check what was going on. I wanted to let you know he passed on 7/1/18. What do I need to do with the account? Can you please let me know. I have already recommended your company to several friends.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I am always very pleased with ADT service. Everyone I have ever dealt with have been most helpful and very professional. l would definitely recommend ADT to anyone that ask. It's very comforting to know my house is in good hands when we are gone and at night when we are sleeping.

Original review: July 7, 2018

A pretty good company to subscribe to, good reviews and satisfy customers. Advertising on television, mail, word of mouth through a friend. Good about calling and checking up on a problem or situation that has happen. Will help if you have a problem and do a follow up with you.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I was previously an ADT customer between 2000 and 2010 and had no problems with them at that time. Recently, we decided to restore our service and received a promotional offer in the mail for 19.99 a month for 1 year. I called to reactivate our service. The ADT sales representative explained that unfortunately I did not qualify for the 19.99 promotional rate because we do not have a landline, and that monitoring with 4G cellular service would cost 48.99 a month. At that point, I thanked him and said in that case I'm not interested. The ADT rep then asked me to hold while he brought a manager on the phone to see if there was something they could do for me to retain my business.

A manager came on the phone and very clearly said they would give me the monitoring service for 19.99 a month for one year and then it would go to 36.99 a month after that if I signed up. I repeated back the offer just to be sure I did not misunderstand. Yes, she confirmed I would get the promotional offer after all even though I only have cellular phone service. I was also offered $458 in equipment credit, and paid $100 for installation up front and made the appointment for the technicians to come out. Of course, I understood that some new, upgraded equipment would be required, but several basic components were to be included for no additional charge. My intention was simply to restore the previous level of monitoring and security I had several years ago, nothing beyond that.

A couple weeks later, two ADT technicians came to my house (one was a trainee). They were congenial, and at first everything was fine. They proceeded to do an inspection of my old system, and after a brief explanation, they installed a new processor in the "brain box" in my basement, removed my old keypad by my entry door, installed a new keypad, and proceeded with initial system testing. So in my mind, at this point, everything was fine, they were doing what I expected, i.e, simply replacing my old system with a new one.

About a half hour to 45 minutes into the process (after equipment was partially installed), the lead ADT guy asked me for a tour of the house, both inside and outside, so he could do a "risk assessment". Then he asked for a little time so he could "run some numbers". A little while later, I found the lead ADT guy seated at my kitchen table with paperwork in front of him. He invited me to sit down while he presented me with "all the options". Things went downhill from there. A guy who I thought was a professional, straightforward technical installer, turned into a high pressure salesman. For the next hour or more, I was presented with all sorts of equipment options, like indoor cameras, outside audible alarms, doorknob keypads, etc. that I absolutely did not need or want. And they reverted to all the cliche techniques of horror stories and scare tactics of why I needed my house to be Fortress Europa.

I listened patiently, partly because I wanted to see what I could get for the equipment credit of $458. After the long spiel, the ADT guy had the nerve to present me with an initial price tag of over $8000 for all this great equipment I knew I didn't need. I made it clear that was way beyond what I needed, and made it completely clear my intention was only to get a basic system plus use my equipment credit, but not to spend anything out of pocket more than that. The ADT lead guy several times stated that he was an installer, it made no monetary difference to him if I didn't buy any extra equipment, but his actions did not back up his words. Another hour was spent modifying/deleting equipment options, calling his manager back and forth in the office to make tweaks to the offer and giving him reports on "what my needs were". It started to feel like I was in a used car lot, and I was getting worn down and tired.

Eventually, in all the back and forth discussion (in which they simply weren't listening that I didn't want to spend on stuff I knew I didn't need), it came out that my monthly service rate would be $48.99. I was floored. When I told them and explained that I was promised the 19.99 a month for one year promotional rate, they said they had no notes or instructions to that effect and could not do that. I told them that right from the start, my criteria for getting ADT service again was contingent on getting that promotional rate.

Another hour was burned in back and forth calls to his manager to see what could be done to get me to sign up and complete the installation. Several times I told these guys we were done, if ADT was not going to give me what was promised on the phone. They just weren't listening. The lead ADT guy put his manager on the phone with me and I expressed my extreme dissatisfaction at how I was told one thing when I called to set up the installation and service, and was now being told that promise could not be honored. The manager's response was he didn't know why they offered me a rate of 19.99 a month if I had no landline, there was no way they could do that.

Eventually, I almost had to throw the two ADT technicians out, it was so hard to get them to leave. It was very stressful, and even in the last 15 minutes, the lead guy was asking me what day of the month I would like my bank account debited for the monitoring service. Apparently, he misunderstood something I said and thought that suddenly I had changed my mind (?) and now agreed to get service for 48.99 a month (huh??). I was incredulous at the obstinacy.

These guys left after being at my house for 5 hours that I'll never get back. The guy kind of slammed the door when he left clearly frustrated himself, because he didn't get me to sign up. I am not sure if all of this was a case of poor communication within the ADT organization, or a planned, coordinated case of bait and switch, thinking that a customer will go ahead with installation and service by wear down tactics when equipment is already partly installed. The more I think about it, the more I think it's the latter.

I am also angered by the fact that these guys actually left my home in a worse condition than when they arrived. Even though I did not have active ADT service, my keypad and door sensors still worked and chimed when the entry doors were opened, giving us some level of alert. When they left in a huff, they never reinstalled my original keypad. My original brain box and keypad was left off the wall, wires disconnected, no chimes. Overall, terrible experience. (Still waiting for the $100 to be refunded, has not come through yet.)

Original review: July 6, 2018

I spent over an hour discussing what I needed and coming to a monthly fee I could afford. I verified with the salesman at least 4 times what I was getting and the price. When the technician arrived, it was completely different from what I agreed to. They use bait and switch tactics to reel you in. I spent 10 years in the Marine Corps and I pay very close attention to details for obvious reasons. Missed a day of work and as a contractor, it cost me over $400.00. Be very careful and maybe speak to a supervisor to make sure you are clear on what you are paying for.

ADT response

Hello Lloyd- We appreciate you reaching out to us and reporting your sales and installation experience. We apologize for the trouble caused and for any incorrect information you may have received. So that we may review, please be encouraged to message us here. ~Tréchell

Original review: July 5, 2018

I continue to be happy with my security choices. The system is easy to use and everyone in the family feels safe and secure. The FOBS were a great addition for my kids. It is also great to set up alerts and different codes based on the users in my family. Thanks ADT for helping my family.

Original review: July 5, 2018

A technician came to my house on 6/23 and mis installed a system that we did not ask for. He admitted that he put the system in wrong and we decided to cancel this service because we could see that this was a company we did not want to do business with. We cancelled on the following Monday (6/25) morning and a technician came and took the system out on 6/27. They charged my credit card $347.15 within a few hours that the technician put the system in (incorrectly) on 6/23, but cannot tell me when they will refund my money. I need my money refunded immediately because they received their equipment back in the condition that it was installed in, and we cancelled this service within the three days as per the cancellation agreement.

ADT response

Hello Emmie- We appreciate you reaching out and reporting your concerns to us. We are sorry to learn of your sales and installation experience and will be researching your expressed concerns to expedite a resolution. We thank you for you for your continued patience. ~Tréchell

Original review: July 4, 2018

I thought I was going to feel safe when I had them install my alarm. The installation was a bit long (8hrs). During the process the tech said he wasn't getting a good connection and he may have to drill in the walls, three big holes later he said "Ok everything is working". June 15 the alarm was installed. The tech had to come out again because a triangle appeared on alarm pad, tech said it's a communication problem & he doesn't have the things he need to fix it. I had to set up another appointment (although I've already been paying for a service I haven't yet to receive). It was scary because I also use my remote to set alarm & never notice it offline. What if a robber, or something happens while this is going on?

When I called rep act like this is a normal problem. They have & said we would have replaced anything as if that was the matter in hand. I wanted to end the contract due to everything I had experience & the alarm system not working at all. What am I paying for? After speaking with a supervisor she advised me I couldn't end contract because they have a three visit rule but let her send another tech out & if he couldn't fix it they'll relieve me from my contract. After requesting another day off so ADT could fix the problem another tech comes out & says "what you're needing is on back order, you have to make another appointment for them to fix it. You'll need an antenna which is about 20 feet."

What! Still haven't got the problem fix & now very upset because I'm paying for something I haven't even got & Jasmine the supervisor said she can't relieve me from my contract after she said, "Let this tech try & if he can't we'll refund everything." I never knew it would be so difficult to protect my home. Now did I know ADT as a company has no customer service skills & could care less if your alarm is functioning properly. As long as ADT is debiting out your account! I don't recommend ADT, they'll give you nothing but problems. Dissatisfied. Can't wait to speak to someone that can truly help me instead of sending techs out or cancel my contract!

Original review: July 4, 2018

I have a ADT service under a 3 year contract that after a 1 1/2 years I can't alarm anymore. If I alarm my system it will go off every night within 2 hours. I have spoken with ADT several times and their solution is to send a Tech out for $90 an hour. If this system is under contract then why do I need to pay for your equipment failure? I have replaced so many batteries on this one signal and y'all were on the line when doing this, but still not solved. I even talked about buying out of the contract and y'all said it would be $650, hell no! I will find someone that will buy it out and I will go with their service. ADT's customer service SUCKS!

ADT response

Hello Richard- Thank you for reaching out and reporting your concerns to us. We do apologize for your experience.

As you're aware, technology is not "fail proof". Security equipment may sometimes encounter errors and run into trouble. ADT's Quality Service Plan was designed with this in mind. It acts as a form of insurance for the security system, in case any wear-and-tear complications arise.

It would cover labor, time and parts on any service visit that falls under this spectrum of repair work. Examples of what we would consider a wear-and-tear related repair, would be if a sensor fell down because the adhesive wore out, or your system wouldn't arm because of a trouble signal, etc.

Customers that do not have this plan would be quoted the cost of time, labor, parts and a trip fee for any and all repairs. Therefore, the Quality Service Plan does save the customer money, when it comes to repairs.

We do apologize for any trouble that this has caused. If we may be of assistance reviewing this matter with us further, please message us here.

~Tréchell

Original review: July 4, 2018

The ADT responses to the activation of our alarm is always prompt and thorough. They confirm that it was a false alarm and that it is the owner who is answering their call. We could not be more satisfied with ADT, from the initial installation through the calls triggered by false alarms.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: July 4, 2018

I am not happy with my phone call about a bad back up battery. I called in stating that my back up battery was beeping after my power had just went out. I ask them if they can have a new one replaced and they gave me a hard time. They said it wasn't the battery and that is was just low. I said if the power just went out and it's beeping now the back up battery is no good. They said it was good and the power just needs to come back on to recharge it. I spoke to ADT rep and the supervisor. My opinion is that if the battery was good it wouldn't start beeping when the power goes out, it would take some time. I had it shut off longer than that when doing electric in the basement and it never beeped. The power went out just recently again after I called in and it started beeping again.

SO for not wanting to replace a $5 battery I have lost good faith in ADT and looking to replace ADT with another customer. Have a good day and hope you get better customer service and supervisor / manager because they suck. Like all services you expect to pay every month but when it's time for them to pay to fix something they don't want to do it.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We've had ADT for over 10 years and though we had some issues in the very beginning with the system going off due to a sensor problem, once that was resolved it's been smooth sailing. The customer service is excellent as well, and it's nice having the security of the alarm system.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I don't think I can put a price on the safety of my family, but I think ADT provides a good price for the peace of mind they provide me. I have seen their name in many homes since I was a little girl and now they are in my home.

Insufficient response received
Original review: July 3, 2018

When I renegotiated my contract with ADT to see if they were willing to meet another company monthly I was informed that if I moved there would be no penalty. I even reaffirmed the prior to agreeing to anything. Now I have moved and they are refusing the cancel my service on my move date and are charging me a large cancellation fee. Basically the cost of the unfilled months of service. By the way I was a loyal ADT customer for 3 + years prior to this BS. I have tried to get this issued resolved with ADT and the last person hung up on me. I have filed a complaint with the BBB, and this forum as well. Use caution with the company, sale people are slippery, no doubt paid a high commission to resign customers no matter what it takes.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I enjoy having ADT protection!! I would recommend ADT to friends and family! Also the capability of having access online about my account is great and easy to use! If I have any questions, I can also look at questions on the app!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Whenever I have a question, or they need to clear the alarm, they are always so helpful and nice. They always know how to solve my issue. They are patient. I feel very secure having ADT on my side always protecting me.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I am the power of attorney for my mother and I added ADT to her apartment 5 years ago to keep her secure. She went into a nursing home and I had to get her out of her apartment by the end of the month because the nursing home will now take all of her money. I called ADT on Saturday when I was moving my mother out and the reps I talked to were horrible. They were unwilling to assist and kept telling me that I had to follow a "process" to cancel this service. The contract period was up.

I had been in contact with ADT personnel many, many times over the last 5 years due to technical issues, billing issues etc. NO ONE ever asked for a copy of the POA but then they would not cancel the service even though I knew the password without the POA. This absolutely sounds like a scam company to me. I was so angry that I also asked them to cancel my service. They said I had to give 30 days notice and that my service would end on 7/30 but when I woke up on 7/2 my service was cut off. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone for any reason. Terrible company-terrible people (I would certainly not call them customer service reps).

ADT response

Nancy! Our team is terribly sorry to hear of your troubles when working with us! We'll contact you directly to help get this resolved ASAP. Thank you!- Tim L

Original review: July 3, 2018

ADT offered a $27.99 monthly basic security monitoring special. We called and set up an appointment. The installers gave us an estimate for all doors and windows. No problem. They then tried to upsell us to the cell coverage and use of their “app” that comes with a higher cost monthly monitoring fees of $52.99. We said, "No thanks". They then offered us a $100.00 gift card if we would use the higher level service for 3 months, at which time we could call to change our monthly fees back down to $27.99. Since it was a wash we took the deal. We never used the “app” of the higher level of service. 4 months later I called to reduce our monthly service and was told no can do.

The contract cancellation time is 30 days and after 3 month the contractor ADT uses is no longer on the hook for support. I spoke to ADT and their authorized dealer, Defender, several times trying to resolve this issue. Neither took ownership of what was promised up front. They hid behind their contract and we are now stuck with 2 years of higher fees than what we originally wanted. To be clear, I read the contract after my calls to ADT and understand what they are saying, however it is completely different than what we were told by the ADT/Defender service installers that sold us the system. I’m ok paying the $27.99 per month. I am not ok paying the higher amount of $52.99 when we were promised we could change. I feel taken advantage of and ripped off by the field teams just trying to make their quota or some kind of bonus. Not sure why they would be so motivated to promise things that were not supported in their contracts.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I must say that I’m pleased with ADT. We’ve used them for about eleven (11) years now ~ and they’ve always provided excellent customer service for us. They do provide me with a peace of mind whenever I’m gonna be away from home.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Very satisfied with response time if alarm is accidentally set off. Provides comfort knowing in case of an emergency ADT will be there. My only concern recently is the monthly cost of this service. Since I am retired with a limited income I have been considering other companies which other family members have and are happy with and their monthly fee is less.

ADT expert review by Erin Raub

Established in 1874 as a telegraph delivery company, ADT has evolved into one of the largest security providers in the United States. Offering service in all 50 states, ADT is well known for its state-of-the-art, mostly hardwired alarms, including the interactive Pulse service.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

• Best for: Homeowners, hands-off consumers and tech-savvy shoppers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

ADT Company Information