4.0/5 (425 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

Top ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

ADT's customer service is great. My understanding of what I was getting was awesome. I like the security of knowing my house and personal belongings are protected. Also, the addit...

Verified

… Having the system makes me feel more secure in my own home because you don't know what's going to happen. I like it good and I'm happy with ADT. The cameras were not in the pack...

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular connection. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating a response until the threat is over.

You can arm ADT home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Control. ADT Control gives you instant alerts of activity, access to live video footage and control over your entire system, including smart locks, smart lighting, climate control and your security devices.

With the ADT SoSecure app, users can alert family or friends of their location or send an SOS for emergency response.

Monitoring requires a three-year agreement, and termination fees apply for breaking a contract.

If you like the idea of professional monitoring but don’t want to sign a contract, check out Blue by ADT, a DIY option.

ADT prices

Monthly costs for ADT home security packages range from $28.99 per month to $57.99 per month. Equipment costs range from $599 to $1,049. If you don’t want to pay upfront, financing costs from $9.98 to $17.48 per month for 60 months. Installation fees range from $99 to $199.

You can choose from several ADT home security system packages, including:

• Essentials: For around $36 per month, you get three window and door sensors, an infrared motion detector and 24/7 professional alarm monitoring.
  • Total Protection: For around $44 per month, you get everything included in the Essentials package plus Safewatch Cellguard, which lets you connect the system through a landline.
  • Premium Protection: For about $56 a month, you receive everything in the other packages plus ADT Pulse, which includes home automation. You can monitor and manage the system and smart devices through the app.

For more, see how costs compare for ADT vs. Vector, ADT vs. Xfinity, ADT vs. Cove and ADT vs. Guardian Protection.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular home security equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: The ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that help reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Google Nest Doorbell: ADT uses the Google Nest Doorbell, which lets you answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

How long does it take ADT to install?

ADT offers quick, professional installation to ensure your equipment is set up properly. Depending on the size of your home, it could take less than an hour. Larger homes could take a little longer. Here’s what you can expect from the installation process:

1. To prepare for your ADT home security installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. For hard-wired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors.
  3. The technician will walk you through how to use your ADT home security system so you’re confident you’re using everything correctly.
  4. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

Professional ADT installation costs start at $99 and vary based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. ADT offers a 90-day warranty following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

Can I add cameras to my ADT system?

Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. You can view camera footage live if you want to check on your home or office.

You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.

Video monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select.

Do ADT cameras record all the time?

ADT’s security cameras can record continuously or only when they detect motion.

Are ADT prices negotiable?

Sometimes. You can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long you’ve been an active user. For example, customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.

Does ADT replace batteries?

Yes, ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps you find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.

Do I own my ADT equipment?

It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.

How long does ADT backup battery last?

The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. You should keep the backup battery charged in case you need it as a power source.

Do you need a landline for ADT?

ADT systems can work with or without a landline.

Can I use my ADT equipment with another company?

Maybe. Some other home security companies can reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before you purchase additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.

How long are ADT contracts?

ADT contracts are typically 36 months for the monitoring agreement and 60 months for financing equipment.

Is ADT worth it?

We think ADT is worth considering if you want a professionally monitored home security system. People nationwide trust ADT, and it's an industry leader in security monitoring.

ADT offers several products and solutions to help protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and lets you control everything from your mobile device. Plus, the technology connects with smart-home devices for convenient automation. For more, see how ADT compares against our top picks for smart home security systems.

ADT Medical Alert is also available for older adults who want to feel safer at home and worry about falling or medical emergencies.

adt reviews summary

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

ADT responds fast. Except when there's a high volume, I have to wait. But normally, everything is okay. They get to the sheriff. When I come to call the sheriff, the sheriff gets out to my property. And the best thing I like is that the deputy sheriffs call me on their personal cell phone and tell me if everything is okay and what's happening at my property. If I have a problem-- usually the monitor outside doesn't show everything on the monitor on the wall-- I can have a technician there within the next day or two days. They're very good.

Every technician that comes out there does the job and leaves. We've made good friends with them. Sometimes, the same guy would come and says he remembers the house. I would ask ADT if I could I have such technician and they would say if the technician is available, I can have him. I can trust ADT and they always call at 3 o'clock in the morning. I was in Virginia and I was going up to New York to visit some friends. I'm at the hotel, 3 o'clock in the morning, I got a call and they said, "We have a possible break in the front door." I said, "Respond with the sheriff." I turned around, drove directly back, didn't stop until I got to the sheriff's office and he said everything was all right. It was a strong wind that happens to come in from Alabama which they said happens all the time. It was 60 miles an hour and it jarred the connections. All it had to do is move 1/8 of an inch and it breaks the contact.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

The ADT sales rep was persistent and held his commitments. Our closing was delayed several times and he was very good about checking in to see how we were coming along with it. He called and followed up with us once we got close and gave us time to get settled. Then he came in, had a meeting with us and we decided to go with him because of the experience he provided by his commitment to stay in touch with us. Also, ADT had been around for a long time and I focused a lot on that. Aside from that, I want quality products, which ADT has. It eased my decision because of the history that they've been around.

The only problem I have with ADT is there's a lot of reps out there that offer different level incentives. So, it wasn't consistent on their offerings across the board. If you sign up with this rep, you may get a cheaper monitoring rate because after we signed the contract, I started getting some more advertisements from ADT reps who were offering to give either discounted products or free cameras. But the installation was very quick. With all the delays because a COVID, I was expecting a much longer wait. After we signed the contract, they were out there to install the next day. They were very quick and there were no issues with the system. I'm an Apple guy so I would like everything tied in with my apple home kit but the ADT product is a stand-alone app. So, I can't control it from my home kit. I have to use their app to make it work. The ADT system is compatible with Smart Home stuff but not on the only Apple side.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

It all started very well. I spoke with a gentleman on the phone and he promised me the world. The initial presentation was amazing. Then the technician came and realized that he couldn't offer me what I wanted because the system I had in the house was completely different. He spent almost four and a half hours here fiddling with things and finally installing the equipment. But he didn't have a sensor, which I required because we had to change the plan to update it, and he left.

When I followed up, I was on hold for an hour. This woman got on the phone and she put me on hold every single time for 10, 15 minutes. The initial invoice they sent me doesn't match the report the technician sent me. I asked if they could send me the invoice that matches and she put me on hold. She was upsetting me. She couldn't answer one question I have, she hadn't scheduled a technician to come, and I don't see the $200 credit applied to my service. She started explaining to me how it was applied and I couldn't understand the terminology. She put me on hold again. As sweet as she was, I've never seen anything like that before.

I paid them in full after it was installed and I still don't have the sensor I'm paying for. I still don't have a $200 credit and I don't have time to get on the phone and be jerked around again. ADT is the most reputable company in the United States and this is what they did to me. They've killed my enthusiasm for my new home and its protection. Besides all that, I'm very happy.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

When I first signed up with ADT, a tech came in and did the installation. He tried to upsell certain things like the smoke alarm. This time, they say I have to pay for the equipment for an X amount of years. It seems like a lot. It should be a one-time setup fee unless you want to add anything. I couldn't even transfer my key fob that I already had because he said he couldn't hook it up. They should give an upfront cost then explain that every additional equipment is an additional charge. This time, he didn't do as much of the upselling. I told him I had a fire alarm and he said he didn't know if he had one in the truck. Then all of a sudden, he had one in the truck. The transfer was not fun. The set up has been a major issue and the installation.

I’ve had a lot of issues with billing with the last month. I’ve had to be on the phone for over five to six hours total. I moved and they were double charging me. I’m getting the refund but I'm still waiting on the check. They’re very nice but the last time I called, I asked to talk to somebody that knew exactly what they were doing. But the service is great and I like it. Two nights ago, it had to go off at 4:05 am. I run the pad, and it told me which door had been opened. It was the shed outside and it was the wind because it was so windy that day. Being a single mom with kids, I appreciate it.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

I have two systems ‘cause I have two different houses. I added my second house to the ADT system. My first system, we've had it for a couple of years now. I just upgraded it at the beginning of this month. The tech was really good, nice and knowledgeable. Was easy to talk to. The big feature that was new with the ADT Control compared to the ADT Pulse was the touchscreen control pad, which is awesome. Then also the cameras. The cameras were 10 times better with ADT Control than they were with the old ADT Pulse. They were bad on the ADT Pulse. Plus, it has the capability of two-way conversation through the cameras. Which is awesome when you have kids at home and you're like, “Go to the bus.”

We always had an issue with the ADT doorbell never wanting to connect, always bombing out. So with this one, they brought the new Google doorbell. So far, it's been really nice. The only downfall is that I have to have another app to be able to access it. It's not run through the ADT Control app. I have to run it through the Google Home app.

I'm paying for two houses and they combined both the monitoring under one payment, which is awesome. But then I have two other payments that are coming out randomly throughout the month that are for the installation payment or for the actual equipment itself. When they told me, with the package, that it’s going to be automatically all rolled up into my monthly payments, I was like, “Cool.” So on this monthly payment, I expected an additional 20, and on this one, I expect an additional 10.

But when I talked to the lady from customer service this morning, I was like, “Why is it showing in my system three separate payments?” She said, “These are flexi payments on this one and flexi payment on this one. They're gonna come out on these dates.” So through ADT right now, I have my monitoring for both houses on one bill. Then I have turned around and I have the flexi payment for one house on another bill that comes in on the middle of the month. Then I have another flexi payment that comes out at the end of the month, instead of having it all combined under one payment.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

As the most expensive, I hoped ADT would be the best. Instead they messed up the initial installation appointment and failed to provide the new customer deals offered over the phone. As a result I had to sign a 12 month contract over the phone in order to have the equipment activated before I left town. I was assured that given their poor service and mistakes I could cancel any time and account was notated. Now that I would like to cancel, the company will not let me out of contract without paying full price for remaining months. Note: No equipment was installed so there was no investment by the company. Horrible overall experience with multiple examples of false promises made. Can’t trust them with my family’s safety.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

ADT is not #1 company in anything! They will have you on the line for over an hour to report a problem with a unit. They will also shuffle you between incompetent customer reps back and forth, additionally wasting your time. They are not efficient, nor care about a customer. What a waste! My advice is totally seek a different company that does things better, this is a WASTE OF TIME DEALING WITH INCOMPETENT ADT.

ADT response

Hi Tania! Our apologies for the extended hold. If possible when calling in please use our automated call back feature where a rep will call back when your call is next to be answered. Our agents are trained in different departments so depending on what you need assistance with, a transfer may be required. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

I've had a good experience with ADT. For the times that I have dealt with them, I've never had any kind of issues with them. I turn my security system on every night and when I leave my house, I feel good that I've got ADT looking after me. I would tell others they should have it. It's wonderful. It's a peace of mind. It gives me hope. When you go to bed at night and you've got your security system on, you've got something there to help you. If anything happens in the middle of the night and the window is broken or the door is jarred, the police department will know about it, and ADT will know about it and come to our rescue.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

We had our ADT system go through a complete system failure during bad weather which cause the system to start a loud alarm and then do a continuous beep every five minutes and then die down after 2 hours or so. During this period NO ONE from ADT called me to check on the emergency alarm which is what they will promise you and sell you the system on - IT'S a Massive LIE! And read on to know more and why!

I tried to call their service center over 20 times and each time they would say there is a 80 minute, 90 minute, 76 minute hold time and offer a call back and I would opt for it and NO ONE would call back. Finally after one day I got a call back and the technician could not understand English. Their reception was very poor and they had absolutely no clue how to troubleshoot. After 44 minutes on the phone I asked them if they could send out a technician and they said all They could was send me to another so called “tech expert” and at which point they blurted out being out of another country and working from home so they had NO control over HOW BAD the technology was where you could barely hear or understand what they were saying.

At this point I keep pressing them to send a technician and they then tell me that to do that I have to pay them $139 and I get flabbergasted that I pay a monthly fee for my services. They guaranteed they would always service it and now all of it is a complete LIE! I then ask to speak to a manager and they say that the manager will call me whenever! Two days go by and I get a manager voicemail promising a call back but none comes. Five days later I call to cancel my subscription and this is where their SCAM comes alive. They ask me $992 to cancel. Even if you total my monthly subscription for one year that’s a $700 so I don’t know how they came up with one month of fee plus $992!

At this point I explain my predicament to the lady on the phone and she tells me that her notes state that I refused a technician from visiting my home (A TOTAL LIE) and I explain to her why that is logically impossible and she then relents and says a technician will come home 6 days later! Now I am on day one of six so not sure if they will come but in the meanwhile I Asked her what if My house got broken into and their system would not notify the police because it has failed and that is the ONLY promise from a security company and what should I do then because I am paying for a service that does not exist and they have no guarantees to serve you! Will you allow such a fraudulent organization to service your house and let your family suffer and let your family be in harm's way and wash their hands off? Decide for yourself!!

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us! We do apologize for this frustrating experience that you have described. We do see that you were able to get a service technician scheduled for 11/14. It is on the priority list for sooner service. If there is additional assistance needed feel free to reach out to us directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

The feature I use the most, other than the sensors on the doors is the sensor in the hallway. If I feel like I hear something, I can look at my cell phone and look at the app. I love having the app and just making sure that there's no motion detected. However, I complained against the salesperson at ADT. My options weren't presented to me the way they should have been and my questions weren't being answered. But in the end, all my concerns were resolved.

ADT Company Information