ADT Security Systems

• 4 stars0%
  • 3 stars1%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars95%

For over a century, ADT has been helping thousands protect their homes and families. ADT offers 24 hour Alarm Monitoring, homeowner savings and discounts. We also provide security solutions for your business needs. ADT Pulse gives you the ability to stay secure through your smartphone.

Our policies cover burglary protection, carbon monoxide, fire monitoring, flood protection, video surveillance and home automation. We offer same-day installation when you order before 2 pm! Call us today!

Let first say I dealt directly with ADT and not a distributor or dealer of their products. The salesperson that came to my house was knowledgeable and polite. (I had three other proposals.) Though they were not the lowest monthly rate they offered an upgrade to my 20-year-old existing equipment for only $25.00, not the $450 that Island Security (the installer of my existing system) wanted. The monthly charge included replacing any sensors for free during the course of the contract. The installer was very knowledgeable as well and answered all my questions. He added a new keypad and a new control box and battery. I am very satisfied

I've been customer of ADT for over 10 years and I have nothing to say but they're a great Company! Currently I have the Pulse system with cameras, Co2 detectors that can be controlled from iPhone and recently added: front door lock, Nest Thermostats (5), garage door tied to Pulse. They all work in unison and if my alarm sounds they call within 30 seconds. The Nest Thermostats are the greatest thing ever for energy savings. I'm very happy with ADT and they do an excellent job. I also use ADT medical service device (pendant) if I fall as I disabled. Excellent medical service and works everywhere outside the house or on the road!

Resolution In Progress

I had enough of my previous alarm co., so I started to look online for consumer reviews. I ended up calling ADT. They had a fair rep. and I had used them 7 yrs. ago. Sales gave me a "new customer" special. The price was to be $30.00 w/ tax. But when the Tech showed up, after telling me how unsafe a phone line connection was (I have a DSL phone set-up and a WiFi), he had to check with his boss for the price, since he didn't think he could hook me up.

After 10 to 12 mins. on the phone with his boss, at which time he had to go outside and turn his back to me (and he got further away after I went out on the porch). He comes in and says "my Boss says I can't do the $30 price due to your DSL phone, so the price will be $52.60 w/ tax." The old bait and switch. I am just sick of people lying just to get or keep a customer. I plan to cancel if they do not give me what they promised. I'm no kid and at 69 I do know better. But after all the B.S. I was given, I just said OK, just "do it". And now, I'm upset, at me and ADT!

It's no surprise ADT's pages (website, social media, or even forums) don't allow reviews! If I could give ADT NEGATIVE stars, I would! As a business owner myself, I value the people I serve. If I know they are signing a contract that won't suit them, I let them know. This is NOT what ADT stands for - so if you are a prospective client, I urge you to consider other options that are SO widespread now (such as nest cameras, or other drop cameras). For a one time cost for the cameras (ranging from $100-$200) - you are free of contracts that will have you paying hefty cancellation fees and have WAY better features. Not to mention, you'll be free of a team of people who treat you like you're stupid and worthless, if you try and do anything as human as move or change the terms of your contract (their "default" contract duration is 3 YEARS). If you're still reading, please go on to find out what happened to me so it won't happen to you.

When I initially needed security for my business, I contacted ADT because I was attracted to the option of remotely locking and unlocking my place when my teachers needed access, but I wasn't there. Some guy then came along, assessed my place, made a suggestion for a plan, and seemingly brought to my attention all the important things I should know as a valued customer. WRONG. He hurriedly got my signature, and then fell off the face of the planet. I called him. I texted him. I wasn't even sure if he just took my credit card information and ran. I had to cancel that card after it was all said and done. I explained this to corporate ADT - they apologized - and then sent someone new. So from the beginning, the contract signing was sketchy at best - the service was awful and inconsistent - (all red flags) - but I went on in desperate need of a security system.

1.5 years later, I've been blessed with terrific growth in my business because of treating people RIGHT, and so we are upgrading spaces and doubling in size - with no need for the system. ADT wants nothing to do with it. I tried to cancel. I even agreed to pay what I would consider a "normal" exit fee of $200 or less. But they insist on a $800 exit fee. Are you kidding me? What business in this day and age can get away with the following: 3 year commitment - no out clause. An $800 exit fee (or 75% of your total contract). I feel like this has to be impossible. The only more binding thing than that is death.

I figured this had to be a scam, I started doing the homework I should have done 1.5 years ago on the company and what to do in this situation. Needless to say, I found SO many other complaints from people like you and me, facing the same unfair practices by ADT. I even found there have been lawsuits regarding the manner in several states. This post is not going to give me the fairness I'm hoping for. But what I hope it will do is reach people before they make the mistake of choosing such a dogmatic and crooked business like ADT. And to folks at ADT - what comes around goes around. You should be ashamed. I can't wait to watch your business deteriorate over the next years.

We've had ADT for almost twenty years, so when our old system start giving us problems, we called ADT. We told the saleswoman that we can't afford the new monthly monitoring fee and we will look elsewhere. Within a few days we had a new system from AT&T. When the technician cut the ADT line we all thought ADT would call to see if there was a problem. No one ever called. When I called to cancel the service I was told that I could have gotten the new service at a lower cost if I had demanded to be transferred to the "retention dept". A few days later, I received a call from ADT, again asking about new service, which I already had from AT&T. But I agreed to listening to a salesmen explain ADT's security camera system. I agreed to meet between 8 & 10am.

At 8am on the agreed date, the salesman is at my door. When I told him that I expected a call before he came, his reply was, it wasn't in his notes to call. Bottom line, I'm glad to be rid of ADT, they don't had a clue as to what the heck they are doing. The salesman came out because he thought I had bought a new ADT system 2 weeks prior. When I told him that was only a quote he essentially folded his book and left. Thank goodness.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Resolution In Progress

Is there anything more messed up than an ADT salesperson stealing my ADT sign out of my yard and putting a flyer in my door for their new services? Yes, that's right. Annette ** of ADT was busted by my neighbors after my dogs started barking like they were crazy today. She still has my sign. I have left a vm and text at the phone number she supplied on the flyer and have contacted her District Manager Kendall **. I gave her until I get home from work tomorrow to return my sign or I am going to file a police report. Dogs or ADT? Hmm...

Next day: Kendall did nothing but argue with me. I filed the police report. The police called Annette and still no sign. Do you want to do business with them? And yes, they charged me for the sign when I signed up for their service which was spotty and mediocre at best. Expensive also. Double thumbs down. F-. Don't "like", etc. I will never do business with these people again. Let them know how "stupid" you are by buying from their competitors. Or, I can sell you my ADT equipment for $600+ if you really have faith in them.

Resolution In Progress

Oh boy! I'm on hold with ADT, trying to schedule a service call, so thought I'd write a review. I soooo wanted our experience to be different than the reviews I've read, but, alas... thought when they partnered with Protection One, they would step up the customer service since Protection One had much better reviews. First off, I do (or will) feel good about the system once we get my husband's office keypad working. The house works fine and I feel confident that if anything goes down, they will be there... so that counts for something... hence the 2 stars.

All of the people we've dealt with individually have been very nice, but, the follow through is nothing short of heinous. For starters, our initial sales person set us up with all the bells and whistles and we're not bells and whistles people. It would have been nice to have seen package options and prices and we could have picked something in the middle. We called the sales rep the next day to say we'd like to get our monthly and equipment costs down and asked for options. He said he would send us a couple of different package options... still waiting. He also said he'd be here on the install day... still waiting. Have never heard from him again! The install techs were great and downgraded our system for us... thankfully. In my husband's office, the keypad is clearly defective - saying it's armed when it's not, has a mind of its own - Friday will be the 3rd tech support visit, and if they don't just replace it, think I'll have kittens... enough already!

Resolution In Progress

I am writing to complain about a recent experience with your company that resulted in my account being placed with a collection agency. After paying for your service on time for approximately 1 year, I had to relocate. Before moving to another state, I had to move from the original residence (where I had ADT service) to a temporary one.

I informed ADT of my move and told them that I did would be moving to a temporary residence in MD, but that I would later be relocating to another temporary residence in NY state and that I did not have a permanent NY address yet. I was informed that I could wait until I had a permanent address and that I should call ADT at that time. The representative also told me that I would be billed for the outstanding balance on the account, but that I should call ADT and explain to them what was going on. I was told that they would not attempt to collect the balance because I planned on continuing with ADT once I had a permanent address.

On June 28th, I received a call from a man named Ulrich who told me that I should contact him when I had a new address because he would be the one who would take care of setting up service here in NY. Today, I received a bill from Equinox collection agency for $906.63, which I was told is the amount due on this account. Before today, I did not know what the amount still due on the account was.

I called your customer service number and eventually spoke to a "supervisor" named Kenyatta **. Kenyatta told me that I only had 90 days from the last day of service at my MD address to resume service. I complained that I had not been told that there was a time frame within which I had to start service again. I told her that I was still living in MD 90 days later, at a temporary address. I actually moved to NY on July 17. I just signed a lease for what will be my permanent address on July 29. The apartment will not be available for me to move into until October 1.

My problem is that even after informing ADT of my situation, they sent my account to the credit bureau. Kenyatta told me that I could pay $453.00 to settle the account. I can't afford that and I shouldn't have to do that because I made arrangements with ADT, ahead of time, to continue service. Kenyatta said that the account cannot be moved from collections until this is paid. I have worked hard to maintain a decent credit rating. This had severely blemished it. Even if I were to pay the settlement amount, this would show up as a negative on my credit report. This is so unfair. I asked Kenyatta why Ulrich contacted me to inform me that he would be helping me set things up again. He told me to let him know when I had a permanent address. She asked for Ulrich's number, which I provided.

After a long hold, she returned to say that he must be an agent and that the last phone contact that ADT had with me regarding my relocated was on April 25. I asked how he got my phone number if he wasn't an ADT employee. She assured me that they do not share customer information. Well, that cannot be true because Ulrich called me within a few days of my last call to ADT. I explained my situation to him, thinking that he was the person to talk to. So, now I have a negative mark on my credit because of you. I don't even want your service anymore. How dare you "offer a settlement". This issue must be resolved quickly. To top it all off, Kenyatta refused to allow me to speak to her superior.

I signed up with ADT one year ago just after my husband of 26 years passed away. They charged me over $800.00 for the equipment and was lied to about the term of the contract and other alarms systems. They played on my fears. I found out if I went with AT&T the equipment would be free and far superior equipment than I have with ADT. Please do not use ADT. NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY.

Their billing does not know how to calculate. One wrong is okay, but the second, third...unbelievable. Their attitude was so horrible. They lie and lie to you too many times. They even took money from my credit card without notice. I told them I already paid, they still charging you and even overcharging me bills. The people working there is like they did not know how to use calculator... incredible. They even scream at me said, "are you done with your talking?" Their camera does not have all the image at all. Don't go with this company. Try AT&T.

Resolution In Progress

Bait and Switch - and ruined existing system. I received a mailer advertising $27.99 monthly home security, with the activation of a system for $99 which included a stated package. I called the ADT number and spoke with a rep and let him know that my home already has an ADT system and I would like to have my system activated. The rep assured me this was going to be the case and that my monthly payment will be the $27.99. I set up an appointment for 2 pm a day that week. At 2:45 the "technician" still had not showed up so I called the contact number and they said that the window of service was from 2-4 pm. At 4:10 the technician finally showed up and immediately replaced the existing ADT panel I had. Once this process was done we did a walk-through to discuss the location of sensors and then he had to do some calculations.

He came back to me with a $6,000+ price to purchase the needed sensors and a $53/month price! When I explained I was told $27.99 he let me know that is an inferior system and not what I needed/wanted. I denied the service and cancelled further service, the technician left. The technician did not hook up the existing system that I already had in place, so left me with a broken system, which I already owned and was working before he came.

I called ADT to ask that the technician return my system to the condition it was in before he was there and they refused and were very very unprofessional. The customer service was absolutely horrible and they refuse to have my system returned to the condition it was in. Furthermore, ADT states that they do not know who was at my home, they could not provide any details on who was in my home. Nice home security company there...

Resolution In Progress

I called ADT for getting a estimate. They said that they needed a card on file just in case we decide to go with them. What a mistake that was on my part. I called on Monday and my estimate was for Wednesday evening. Well they charged my card on Monday already, when I found out about that ADT is not a good company from my co-worker Tuesday.

I went online to read reviews and after the bad reviews my husband and I decided not to go with them, and called Wed morning to cancel my estimate appointment. Also talked with the lady and letting her know that we were not happy that we were charged for a service that we had not received yet. I ask for a refund and she was very rude, and told me that I should still get the estimate appointment & getting it installed, and I could cancel a couple days later. I told her I was not interested, and I just want my refund. Then she said, "Just a moment," and put me on hold for over 20 min, properly expecting me to just hung up. Well I waited till she finally got back, then she said I would get the refund but still never received it so far Sunday.

What company charges a customer for a service they never received and 2 days prior to a free estimate? We had a couple of security companies come out for estimates and they never charged us anything. They were very helpful and we decided on one after that. And taking the icing I got a call from ADT yesterday and asking me about a follow-up on the service... what I never received. Don't they keep records on file what gets done? Bad company experience. Will not recommend ever.

Resolution In Progress

I had an outdated unmonitored security system in my home which was installed by ADT. I called to set up a tech to look it over and see how much it would be to upgrade it and get it monitored. The tech came within the 4 hour window (actually within the first 30 minutes) and dove into the system. I knew it was outdated (made in 2003) so I was expecting maybe a $500 quote. Well after his testing of the system and checking all points I was handed a $5,000 quote which he wanted me to sign without reading.

I took the time to read it and in the small print it stated that I was accepting a 2 year contract even if I didn't accept the quote. So I didn't sign it and was put on the phone with the tech's manager who was not only rude but stated I had to sign the quote no matter what. When I explained I am retired law enforcement and was going to promptly escort the tech off of my property I was hung up on. I figured this was the end of the matter yet the next week the owner of the ADT contractor company for the area called me to try and straighten things out. I was offered free install and a "Law Enforcement Discount" on new equipment that brought the original $5,000 quote down to $789. Not bad I thought for a new board, touch screen keypad, and 4 remote camera's with cellular monitoring and with only a 2 year contract so I agreed on the phone to go with this.

A day later two tech's show up ready to change out the alarm board and keypad and install 4 cameras. Before they started I wanted to read the paperwork (contract) they had with them. A 2 year contract was now a 4 year one and the price of $789 was for "equipment only" and they were adding in $1,750 for labor to change a board and keypad and install 4 cameras which I thought was a little high. When I asked them how long they thought it would take to install the new equipment the tech which was here before said "At the most 2 hours." So they were trying to charge $875 an hour for this 2 hour job. Nope!! I sent them on their way and will never call the local ADT contractor for anything.

ADT's marketing is great, but their service sucks. Period. The basic reasons why I want to cancel my account are: I have been paying for 4 years for ADT's service, which I have come to realize has provided 0 value. Even worse, it has provided a false sense of security; After having the alarm set up initially, I changed my phone number and notified ADT. Periodically I have called ADT for service updates, etc. and each time, ADT still has the old, inactive number and not the current one. ADT has failed this simple task at least 3 times now. During the course of periodic equipment updates from ADT, 3 times the ADT technician failed to show up at the scheduled time because of the wrong phone number. I have lost a lot of money waiting; Each time, ADT promises bill credit, which I never get. Now I am owed $150 in bill credits; If the alarm goes off, I don't get a call.

ADT sent letters explaining a mandatory equipment upgrade. We scheduled an appointment for a 4-hour window on Thursday Jul 28. The technician finally showed up as the window ended and explained that I didn't answer the phone. Of course, because ADT failed to correct the phone number again. All of the service technicians have been polite and competent including this one. He took care of the equipment upgrade right away. He could not change my phone number on record, but told me that I could register for myADT.com to change phone number, etc. Sunday Jul 31, 2016, I tried to register for myADT.com, but couldn't because wrong phone number. Called ADT customer service who recommended that I register for myADT.com. Suddenly I realized that I should not trust ADT with my security.

I requested to cancel my account and was told that "customer retention" is not available today. I only want to cancel my account, which is a simple matter. Apparently ADT can't handle that without creating a hassle. I called back on Monday, Aug 1 to cancel service. After 25 minutes on hold while the hold message repeated estimated wait time 5 minutes finally got a live person. I repeated cancel my service for 5 minutes until the ADT representative complied and told me a confirmation number, but only after she read a condescending script including lines such as, "I'm sorry to hear that you no longer want to protect your home and your family." I asked for confirmation by email, which is against ADT policy apparently. Was told that I would receive a postal letter in 7-10 days.

On Wednesday Aug 10, no letter yet. Checked the credit card account and saw that ADT billed for another month yesterday, though they finally gave me some of the credit owed. I called ADT, and surprise, they don't have a record of my cancellation. Requested immediate cancellation again, they still won't email confirmation. Even though our 2-year contract expired 2 years ago, ADT now insists that per contract they require 30 days notice to cancel. And I should receive a letter within 7-10 days after the minimum 30 days notice.

Looking on ADTs Facebook page, I noticed dozens of other people posting similar complaints. I posted mine and was told to call Customer Service or register for my ADT.com. I tweeted the @ADT and their CEO @NarenGursahaney with a link to my post on Facebook. About 5 minutes later, ADT deleted my post, banned me from their FB page, and started deleting all negative reviews from others. No real response from ADT, just obstruction and deception. I did get a call from Digital Reputation Management within a few hours though. All I want to do is cancel my service. No contract, no strings attached, but ADT just won't let go. Finally, I called my credit card company to block charges from ADT. ADT = rich marketing, poor service. Time for another class-action lawsuit against ADT.

Resolution In Progress

We responded to a flyer from Defenders - an ADT Protect Your Home authorized dealer - and asked for a written quote to enable a cellular based alarm system using our existing panels, sensors, etc. They said they would have to examine the house first before they could quote a system. So they came out and provided a written quote which we rejected. Subsequently they forged our signature on a 3 year contract and said the equipment would cost $5,000+.

We finally got paper copies of the contract and sure enough they or their installer forged a electronic signature (which was not even our correct name) on the contract. This is resulting in police reports filed against Defender and also ADT corporate who has been slow with their investigation of this manner. Nobody needs to deal with this scam and fraud in their life. Never call this company and never engage them for anything. They are totally abusive on the phone and nothing but lies and scam artists. They have instituted 2 or 3 layers of bully customer representatives and they make you go through torture getting through these layers.

When you call them demand to go to their fraud investigator and don't let them trap you in the lower level of bullies that try to prevent you from getting resolution. Do what I did which is call ADT Corporate right away and report this distributor as fraudulent. The distributor (Defender) will tell, "You have to pay 2 years of service to 'settle the problem'." I can't believe the consumer groups don't prosecute scam artists like this and that ADT Corporate allows it to go on in the name of illicit profits. ADT Corporate makes so much money from these scams that they pretend they care and are trying to prevent it but behind the scenes I don't seem them really taking action. Shameful behavior on behalf of ADT and their distributors beyond being illegal and fraudulent. The police report includes criminal contract fraud, forgery, credit card fraud, and other serious charges. Stay away unless you enjoy getting scammed into something like this.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Aug. 14, 2016

I wrote a previous review of a system that was sold to us via telephone when I called to get some additional sensors. It sounded good but did not work as expected and we were never told about other systems. We called to see if they could change it out for a more efficient system. We had not heard from them so we assumed we were stuck for three years with this system. My husband had contacted the local office about this issue and finally we heard back from them. They gave us credit for what we spent toward a more efficient system. We are happy campers now. But all system upgrades should be handled in person by a home visit from a sales rep and not on the phone. My advice, if you are thinking about upgrading your system call your local office and request that a salesperson comes to your home.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

After calling to get some additional sensors added, the sales department talked me into upgrading to their new Pulse system that included cameras. This sounded great since we were wanting cameras. They spent an entire day installing the system. After one day we realized that this is a very faulty system. One camera doesn't work at all and the others only record occasionally. We called and they sent use a wifi booster, tried to added it to our system but was unable to. Called ADT again but they could not added it either.

Technician came out but did not know that the booster was not installed so he told hubby it needed to be plugged in close to cameras. He told hubby about a better system called the Bullet... we inquired about changing our system but the sales lady was going to check with her manager to see if we could get credit for what we paid for the faulty system but she never returned call. Technician coming out again tomorrow. No cameras is better than what they installed. Would never recommend the Pulse system to anyone. Very disappointed with service.

Buyers beware! After your initial contract period, ADT requires 30 days notice to cancel and WILL CHARGE you for those 30 days. After 6 years, they would not back date the cancellation not 1 day... beware. Also, when you call to cancel they make you jump through hoops, wait to speak with a "specialist" - it took me almost 60 minutes to cancel my account. I wouldn't do business with them again.

So we are moving and building a new home. I sold my current home quickly and need to move and cancel my alarm service. I called ADT and explained the situation. They offered nothing to help other than pay them 75% of my remainder contract. They could not suspend the account until the home was finish being built. Spoke with a manager and she offered nothing but to pay the 75% and/or a monthly fee to continue service. Which makes no sense. ADT does not take care of their customers and I will not return to them and hope everyone who is thinking about home monitoring would find other means. Sad day when a company who is supposed to protect you rips you off!

Recently relocated to another city in Virginia. We are currently renting in our new location and we do not need an ADT security system. So I called ADT customer service to inform them that I moved and no longer need their services. They advised me that I will need to pay 75% of the contract term that's remaining. Every other utility and business, in regards to relocation have not charged us to get out of the contract. How can security companies get away with this process.

Here are the two options that I was given. Either pay the 75% remainder of our contract to get out of the contract. Or I could use the relocation service department, where they will disregard the 75% remaining balance and allow me to move devices to new location. Get a credit for EQ (which was $400). But you must sign another 3-year contract. This is not fair business practices. I feel we are trapped and have to continue to use ADT or else we pay 75% on remainder. (558 for 16 months).

Resolution In Progress

On August 1, 2016, someone broke into my house. I have been an ADT customer since September 2014, my alarm was set and activated at the time. ADT never called me nor the police. The system was snatched out of the wall, but was not destroyed. ADT was informed of the situation and also informed me that they were not going to send anyone out to my house because I would have to pay $200 for the first hour and $75 after that. I agreed to pay for the service, ADT never came. I received a call at 10:30 the next morning informing me that he was the emergency tech support and I would have to pay for his services. I contacted ADT and they clear the situation up. When the agent came out, he stood at my door and asked where was the ADT box, informed him that the North College Hill police department had confiscated the security system as evidence.

He stated that he could not install a new one because he did not have an order for it. I asked him to call his manager while I called the police department. I had the police department on the line, stating that the home was still a crime scene and the security alarm will be released after the investigation. The guy informed me that he would come back once the police released the old system. I was livid and asked him if I was still responsible for payments to ADT, my behavior could have been better, my tone of voice could have been lower. I goes on to inform me that I was not paying for anything and his services was free. Informed him that I had been a customer who has never paid the bill late since 2014 and that I would expect better from ADT. He stated that he was not going to complete the call today and I would need to speak with ADT going forward and walked out the door.

My experience with customer service was just as worse. I spoke with a guy who informed me that he did not want to be called Sir and his name was Ean. Keep in mind this is the same day my home was burglarized and my security monitoring company did not contact me or the police. I informed him that for the purpose of our call I will call him sir and he could call me ma'am. I spoke with a Casey who informed me she was in the corporate office in Rochester NY and there wasn't anyone above her that could help. Disclosure after several request ADT offered 2 months of service free. I asked for 3 and it was granted. ADT offered to install the same system that was ripped out of the wall and failed to notify me or the police. I asked for a new system to be installed, it was granted. Casey from corporate stated that there is no security system that is theft proof.

I informed her that she was not making me feel any better about staying with ADT until the end of my contact! She almost came across as one of the competitors. I kept asking her to make sure she was notating our call so it could potentially get to some who could actually help. She stated that they handle those things internally and I would not be able to talk to them. Later during the call she stated that she would have them give me call. I have to wait 3 business days for a service tech to come out and fix my system. I can't go to work, leave the house or properly sleep at night with my 7 year old son, because there are no service technician available until 8/4/216 between 8-12 pm. This is horrible! I have been loyal to ADT, my mother, best friend and neighbors all got this system after I did and yes I recommended it after discussing it over with the installer.

I have not been to sleep nor work because my fear that the burglars will come back. Now everyone knows that if you take the unit out the wall no one will come! TIMOTHY J WHALL, JIM DEVRIES, DAN BRESINGHAM, P GRAY FINNEY, JAMIE ROSAND HAENGGI, ANDREA MARTIN, ARTHUR ORDUNA, JAY DARFLER, BOB DALE AND DONALD YOUNG, please make me feel safe again! Please work on customer service! I gave plenty of disclaimers that I was emotional and that it was not personal but I was scared. I felt like it made some of your reps day to upset me and edge me one! As a paying customer I expect better and highly doubt after September 2017 I will continue my services!

Last year we purchased a camera system for our residence. ADT charged us $3700.00 for the ADT Pulse System with 4 cameras. This year we had a burglary in our neighborhood. The police officer stated that the suspect walked past our home and asked to review our camera system. We were able to find the suspect, however, the camera system could not identify the suspect from 23' away. We could not tell if the suspect was male or female or what race the suspect was. I contacted ADT and explained my situation. I was transferred numerous times and spent over 3 hours on the phone. ADT sent out a technician who stated that the cameras were default and that I should call ADT back and ask for new cameras.

I again called ADT and spent another 1.5 hours being transferred. The representative recommended that a salesperson should come out and look at it. I agreed and Austin ** came to our home. He stated that I needed to purchase a new system. I stated that I just bought the system. Austin stated that the system was obsolete and questioned why I was sold the system I have. Why would I buy a new system??? What is more interesting is I priced out the cameras, and found them to be $205.00 each. The 4-channel recorder, $235.00. I then sent a letter to the President of ADT. To this day, ADT has failed to resolve the issue. All I can say is, RUN, NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM ADT.

Resolution In Progress

ADT came to my house and I told him to leave because the agreement we had was completely changed. Since June 6 till today they have not stop to try to bill me for charges of services they have never provided me and keep calling me without stopping and I told him that if they continue I will take him to small claims for harassment and fraud.

I contacted ADT through an ad in the paper. It advertised as ADT - Protect Your Home. There is a number to call and someone answers representing themselves as an ADT representative. They give you a whole run down on what their "STATE OF THE ART SYSTEM" includes. Nowhere in the ad, nor in speaking with the representative are you told that they are only selling "MONITORING" AND THEIR EQUIPMENT.

Once you agree to what you think is ADT contract, an appointment is set up to install. A person comes to your home who is not an employee of ADT, but a representative dealer. The problems begin right there and then. Equipment is installed and within days you get false alarms at all hours. The number you are told to call has a voice mail system that responds if and when it cares to. Instructions are given to disable the alarm in the area that is going off falsely. Consequently, there are days when you do not have full coverage. Now, try to get out of the contract which I had never been given a copy of. So, I called the number given me and asked for one. It was emailed it to me. The contract has a bogus signature and initials that are supposed to be mine. When I pointed this out to the company, I was told "IT IS YOUR ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE WHICH YOU AGREED TO VIA A TEXT MESSAGE." Absolutely, not true.

So, I contacted ADT. I was given the run around, but finally get the point across and a package for fraudulent contract was sent to me. I filled out ALL the pages, had one page notarized, and mailed the package CERTIFIED MAIL requiring a signature of receipt. Weeks pass. No response. Called ADT and was told the package was incomplete. This despite the P.O. having the weight of the package on the receipt that an ADT employee signed for. I was then told to send in another copy of ALL the same papers and again, I sent it certified mail and again the same employee signed for them.

More than a month passed AGAIN, and I called. I was connected to a "CORPORATE" person and was told my contract was NOT WITH ADT and I should call the person who THEY sent to my home to install "THEIR EQUIPMENT". I asked why then was ADT having me fill out all these papers and send to the ADT address they provided me. I was also told that ADT does only the monitoring and are not responsible for the contract and cannot do anything about cancelling the contract.

I consider this false advertisement and fraudulent representation by ADT. I would have never signed a contract with a company I knew nothing about. The equipment was installed and I was under the impression that I was dealing with ADT. They are the ones collecting my monthly fee. It wasn't until after the equipment was installed, and the false alarms started that I asked for a copy of the contract and found that ADT was not the installer nor owner of the contract. They bought the contract from the bogus dealer later on, but hold no responsibility for it.

Incompetent customer service, called three times, and provided formal written request to cancel service to my home. Continued to receive calls from sales staff badgering me to move services to my new home. Each time I called over a 20 minute wait to speak to someone. A month and a half later they billed me for another month of service. I have to call again on Monday and waste another half hour of my life to get this resolved. Absolute worst experience of my life. Do not use this company for your home security needs, there are much better alternatives out there. Also don't waste your time with customer service, I will be requesting management on my next call and will refer them to this site for an education on the horrible customer experience they are providing!

Resolution In Progress

I am 56 years old and I can tell you that I have never been hounded by a company like I have with ADT. I thought I severed my connection with these people three months ago, but they have doggedly pursued my business despite my telling them that I wanted to end my contract and that I didn't want to renew it when I moved. To avoid contact with solicitors, I do not answer my phone if I don't recognize the caller by Caller ID. However, despite not answering, ADT continues to call, twelve times in as many days. These are not just aggressive business practices; they're predatory. I regret having ever done business with these people.

I called ADT for a replacement cover. They wanted to charge me $200.00 for a tech to come to my house to replace. It happened a year ago and they sent me one at N/C. I will be changing to another company when I have the time to be home for a long 8 hr. install.

Resolution In Progress

I was contacted by ADT stating that I havent been paying, which is true, but my contract was cancelled and I had to pay a $1322 fee for an alarm that always went off for no reason and called the cops numerous times making more fines from false calls. Then home was broken into not much taken but the fact that it didnt go off was enough for me to cancel, why pay for something that doesnt work right? I called them to dispute the charge and was told that I would be receiving a call within 10 business days. Well that goes by with no return call and now it's on my credit report under collections.

Resolution In Progress

I received a call on or about the 16th of July from Protect Your Home/Defenders stating that there was a glitch in the system and the automatic payment for June was not deducted but July was. The next question was "how do you want to resolve this issue." Initially, I was ready to give them their money and move on, but that I realized that they are calling me a month and a half later about a problem that took place on June 1st and I was also not too keen on the attitude of the customer service representative. I asked the rep if no other customers had a problem with this call and she stated that I was the only one who had an issue.

I believe that ADT had a systems glitch, but the problem is that it was not identified (at least to this customer) until almost 45 days later which makes their problem my problem. So they had a system error and are currently harassing (calling everyday) me for my June payment. I informed the customer service representative that I was leaving the country on vacation and was not eager nor willing to alter my financial plans to accommodate an organization that was not willing to do the same for me. I also informed the representative that I will make the payment upon my return in August, at which point I was notified that they would be calling everyday until my debt is satisfied. I reminded the rep that the error was not on my part but theirs, at which point she informed me that I am contractually obligated to make payments and I reminded her that I meet my contractual obligations by setting up automatic withdrawals from an account that has funds.

The bottom line, I am now out of the country and have received a call from ADT everyday which costs me money to just pick up the call on my cell phone. And the only thing they want is their June payment now! I find this lack of consideration inconsiderate and unconscionable and I will be transitioning to another company as soon as I am able. If you cannot log into a system and tell it that payment will be available at a certain time then they need to change their system and while they are at it upgrade their customer service training (or maybe this is the way they like it). Bottom line, this is a problem generated from their end, they did not offer a credit of some kind, just a tepid apology and a demand for immediate payment. ADT could and should do better.

We had a security system with a different company. My husband decided to change when their contract ended. He decided to go with ADT. They called 2 days before they came for installation and asked me about our internet system and told me we owed them $52 to pay the installer. I told her I did not know what she was talking about. I talked to my husband and he said we had paid them everything. She was very rude! I told her to cancel the system, but the Salesman called my husband and somehow convinced him to stay.

Today they came out to install their system. They used all the previous wiring from the other company. They were here over 7 hours! So long, I fell asleep waiting on them to finish! My husband was here when they finished. We paid extra for an upgraded keypad and got the same kind we had before - a basic one! I tried the doors and our chime does not work! I am so upset I could scream! I hate ADT!

I had ADT at a former home. Called them to advise I was selling that home and moving to another city - I asked about transferring the balance remaining (1 year) of my 3 year contract. They told me that could be done... my buyer however hated ADT (now I know why) and refused my request to continue with their service. I called ADT and told them to cancel my service and was informed I would be required to pay an early termination fee of over $600 (remember, I only had one year left). At this point, I didn't bother contacting them further-sold my house and moved, then I started receiving multiple past due and termination fee notices which I ignored.

I was continuing to get these bills at my new residence so I called and said OK - just let me finish out my contract here in my new home. Authorized contractor Protect Our Homes/Defender came out to do the install and presents me with a new 3 year contract which I had to sign. His boss told him not to leave until I had signed the contract electronically. I told him I was just continuing my existing contract term of one year. NO. They would NEVER had told me that I could do that... lots and lots of lies and mistruths from every facet within ADT - including all of the customer service and escalation department representatives.

Fast forward. I was in a situation where I had no choice but to sell this new home after one year of the ADT contract. Again, I called and was advised that yes, my buyer could take over my contract... then on another call inquiry I was told they never said that. I asked that a manager/supervisor listen to the recorded call and provided the specific date and time I called. I also asked that they please get back to me after reviewing the recorded call. They didn't. I call again and get transferred multiple times before actually speaking to someone. That individual told me that the call recording was listened to and nothing to that effect was ever stated... then proceeded to transfer me to the actual woman who first told me that information. She was extremely rude and said she NEVER said that to me and how dare I question her and asked that the recorded conversation be listened to.

I sure wish I had recorded that call myself!! At any rate... I wrote a letter to ADT and mailed it to both the billing address and the corporate address advising once again of my experience thus far with them and that I was cancelling service. I told them that based on what they initially stated to me that I included a clause in the sales contract for my home that the buyers will pick up the ADT service. No response. At the closing attorney's office on 6/20/16 I place a speaker phone call to ADT and Protect Our Homes to discuss with all parties present - Buyer, Seller (me), Closing Agent, Realtor, Paralegal and Attorney.

During this conversation with all parties and the ADT/Protect Our Home reps, they told both of us (buyer and seller) to call back on July 29th, 2016 - that my contract was still with Protect Our Homes/Defender Security and would convert to ADT on August 15th. Apparently, Protect Our Homes owns the contract for 13 months and then it reverts to ADT. They further stated that I needed to give a 30 day notice, (thus the 7/29/16 date to call) for any cancellation. I got a letter in the mail the other day saying please sign and date this form and we will cancel your service. It makes no mention of any termination fee, so we'll see what happens after the 7.29.16 conference call with myself, my buyer and their agent. I did phone them again today regarding the letter mentioned above and was told they had no record of any calls from me other than one on 4/20/16.

I have called them multiple times and the gentleman today said no I didn't... they didn't have it in their notes. I told him that wasn't my problem and that the last call had many witnesses... then he transfers me to their escalation department who never answer the call. This company consistently lies, is extremely rude, is not responsive and I would NEVER utilize them again... EVER... please don't let them suck you in as you will regret it. I hope I have a successful resolution to this matter and I am so sorry I am forcing my buyer by the contract provisions to contract with them.

I like my buyer and don't want them to endure the crap that I have with ADT over the last 3 1/2 years. Even if you tell them you are moving to Egypt, they expect you to take their service with you - sign a new contract for 3 years and they don't even offer service in foreign countries!!! Truly, I ask you to seek out better companies for your security and monitoring need to a company who won't force a 3 year agreement on you and then be non-responsive as is very evident with other posts on this site. ADT should be put out of business for multiple reasons - Fraud would be one!

ADT Security Systems Company Profile