ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.70/5

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

ADT Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I was getting notification that I was running out of video storage 2 weeks before the first of the month. I called ADT and was treated with great respect and concern for my concern. Within moments, the issue was resolved and ADT made sure I was happy with the outcome. What a GREAT team!

ADT response

Hello Willie- We are happy to hear that we have been able to resolve your issues. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and let us know of your experience. -Jackie

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

We were receiving alarm faults on a door sensor and scheduled a visit with a technician. I received 2 appointment notices via text message, one the day before and one the same day the visit was scheduled, of which I was asked to confirm or cancel by responding to the text. Sam (the technician) arrived on time. After he replaced the faulty sensor, he took the time to check our cell unit, he noticed it was an older 3G and replaced it with a newer 4G.

He then checked our control panel to ensure everything was functioning properly, He then checked each and every glass break, motion detector, glass break and fire alarm that we have. He discovered that one of our glass breaks was not functioning properly and replaced it. I am seriously impressed with his work ethic, his knowledge of the product, his positive attitude, and his professionalism. I only wish that every service technician in any field that I ever have to encounter would be a clone of this man. Well done Sam! Thank you ADT.

ADT response

Karen- Thank you for letting us know of your awesome experience and for being such a great part of our ADT Family! We're so glad to hear that Sam was able to resolve the issues with your system and will be letting his manager know of your terrific experience with him! ~ Eileen

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have had ADT for several years and have never had a false alarm. It’s very easy to operate and the monthly fees are reasonable. I was able to set the number of seconds I needed to get out the door after turning it on. Likewise, you can also set the time needed once you open the door to be able to shut it off. I really like the fact that the battery will take over if for some reason you lose power. I’ve received helpful and courteous service when I’ve called about the battery needing to be replaced. That was easy. I purchased the battery and was able to install it myself. I feel very safe with this system.

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us Linda. We are happy to hear of the positive experience you have had. Thank you for being part of the ADT family. -Jackie

Original review: July 16, 2019

I like the system. It's got a bunch of options and features including front door, sliding door, window, entry, and exit alarms. We have the complete system installed in our home. However, we couldn't get into the system when we moved in. Apparently it got cancelled until the new contract was signed. Oh, the in-home alarm still worked but over time when the company came to renew the contract, the guy who came to our home, because we can't afford the monthly charges, started unhooking wires to the point of removing parts here and their dis-alarming the whole system.

I have this elaborate system installed in my home ($3k +) and because we can't afford to keep paying the monthly premiums, we can't even use the alarm system at all. I get you pay for a service. What makes me mad at them is the system has been bought, installed, paid for and now because of one visit from a company rep, the company rip (ripoff), the whole alarm system has been turned off and we can't even use it as a door alarm apart from their monthly service fee.

I rated them high because I believe it's a great system but BE ALARMED. If you can't keep paying the monthly service fee, you wasted money having the system installed!!! Perhaps I would of wanted to start paying for the service but ADT basically said by their actions, nope you had your chance. I got a whole bunch of useless wired alarms that because I stopped paying for a month, the whole system is useless. Think about before you pay for the system because if life changes causes you not to pay for their service they will not just turn their service off. They will completely dis-alarm that whole elaborate system you paid for!!

Original review: June 10, 2019

I am moving and had to move service to my new home. I was connected to Joshua via ADT phone service and he was beyond helpful, not pushy but educated me on my decision. I had to talk to my SO and he was able to email me the information and even called me back when I wanted to proceed. He did not hide anything and was open and transparent throughout the process. I may have cancelled service if it would have been a big ordeal moving to a new home but he made it quick and easy. Thank you Joshua for your amazing customer service. I hope I could deal with you for my other services too!

ADT response

Hello Andrew- Thank you for reaching out to us with your kind words about Joshua. We are happy to pass along the compliment to his manager! -Jackie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I sold my house and requested to terminate the service. I also terminated my cable service, but since it's due to moving, termination fee isn't charged if there's no service offered in the new place. However, I was charged termination fee even though I move to a rental property and can't have ADT. So be extremely careful when you sign up with ADT. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, as this is not a reasonable charge in a situation like this. The customer service is not flexible at all, and don't seem to care. I don't know how much money company spends on promoting their product, but charging a termination fee might just spread the words, and negate much of the marketing effort. For me, it's a no doubt a bad decision by the executive team. People have other choices, you know.

ADT response

Hello Yan. We are sorry for this frustrating experience and would like to help. I recently called and left a voicemail for you. -Andrew

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Are you thinking of letting ADT protect your home? Well think twice before you sign on the bottom line. It all started 4 yrs ago. We signed up with ADT, we were told it was a 1 year contract but shame of us for not reading the fine print, (it was 3 yrs). Ok let’s get over that minor detail. Oh I forgot to mention that we had two contracts, one for our house and the other for my daughter. Everyone knows we moved to Bayville Nov 2018 as did my daughter so we no longer needed ADT. When we called ADT to cancel both accts we were told we were still under contract but we could pay an additional 260+ for early cancellation. Here’s where the trouble begins, we paid the cancellation fee on both homes but did not know the PW for daughter's house so we would have to fill out a cancellation form. Now we’re into January 2019, I called and was informed they didn’t receive the form so I sent out another one.

Let’s fast forward to Nov 2019, oh ya I’m still being charged for daughter's home, 52.00 a month. Customer service again promised the pymts would stop effective that day. I cancelled the CC so pymt couldn’t be charged. 3 days ago I received another bill for 102.00. I make another call and now being told there’s a 30 day cancellation fee so I will be charged till Feb 9th. It just never ends. I’m calling the BBB to put in a formal complaint but pls think twice before using ADT...

ADT response

Hello- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had. We have reviewed the account and sent a private response. Thank you taking the time to reach out to us.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

We bought our house in 2002 and an ADT system was already hardwired into the house. There was a security panel in the entry area and master bedroom, as well as motion sensors placed in strategic areas. We never engaged the system because our area had very little crime. Recently, however, a home got burglarized. So, I called to get our system engaged and was told that it needed upgrading. Since it was right after “Black Friday” I was told by the ADT person that the new panels, motion sensors etc (that would normally cost over $1000) would cost zero. Wow! We just have to pay $97 for the technician to come out and install everything. Our monthly fee would be $47 and we are locked into a contract for 3 years. Three years? Hello???? I told her I would just get SimpliSafe. She spoke to her supervisor and the price came down to $42 a month. So, I set up the appointment for Monday, December 10, 2018 between noon and 5 pm.

When the technician came out, in under 10 minutes he was quoting stuff like, “It’s $200” for this and $150 for that etc. Whaaaat? So, I booted him out. He was nice enough but PRETENDED to be mere pawn that was sent out without any info about the free installation. (Oh, puuleeeze!!!!) Scam city. That’s all I have to say. ADT will say anything they need to in order to schedule an appointment to get someone out to do the “hard sell” in a bait-and-switch kind of way. I’m really surprised. I had so much respect for this security company until this experience! When someone tells me (as the ADT woman did) that install is FREE, I am NOT misunderstanding the scope of the install. Nope. I was LIED TO, plain and simple.

And, of course they charged me for the visit. They guy was here 10-15 minutes tops, did NO WORK, had no info about what had been planned and yet…ugggg…I’m just sick about this. They make money regardless of whether you purchase a system by scheduling bogus "appointments!" What a racket! I wrote this review back in 2018 but never posted it. I just paid the bill and chalked the experience up to a life learning lesson. However, in early January 2020 there was a expose on the news about this very issue! So, here's my review for all the world to see. It’s kind of ironic to get ripped off by the very company you are calling for security!

ADT response

Hello Mike- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We are always looking for ways to improve.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

This has been a horrible experience!!!! I would not recommend ADT!!!! They are not easy to work with and what you are told by the installer is not what the facts are. Customer service is horrible as well. Do yourself a favor. Go with a company that provides all information up front an they go over it with you. I'm stuck with this this dishonest company until this contract is over. BEWARE. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER SATISFACTION. ONLY MONEY!!!!

ADT response

Hello Marilyn- We're very sorry to learn of your experience with Defender Security your ADT Authorized Dealer. We would like to address your concerns further if you could please email our team directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com with a reference to your review, the address in which the services are located and more information in regard to the issue you are experiencing. ~ Eileen

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I got with ADT over a year ago for my business. After moving locations and no longer needing security I was told it would be $1074 to cancel or I could transfer it to my home to avoid the fees. A month and a half later I got a random charge from them for $1074. They said it was because I cancelled the service instead of transferring it. I have been on the phone with customer service for 2 days now trying to get this resolved with no issues. I don't even use the system, I only had it moved to my home to avoid the fees that they ended up stealing anyway.

ADT response

Hello Aaron. We are so sorry for this frustrating experience. We've located your account and will reach out to our billing team to have this corrected for you. Please feel free to reach out to us at AlwaysThere@adt.com, with your account info and reference your review as well. Thank you. -Andrew

ADT expert review by Ben Mannes

Home security packages start at $27.99/month with 36-month contracts. ADT offers monitoring packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home.

• Customized security systems: An ADT technician conducts a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirements, including security systems, cameras, emergency alarms and home automation devices.

• Professional installation: Installation fees can be up to $199. Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation.

• ADT Pulse app: The app lets users access their security system, turn lights on and off, adjust thermostats and more from anywhere.

• Money-back guarantee: ADT offers six-month money-back guarantees, so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

by Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

ADT Company Information