Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.60/5

ADT has been providing home security and alarm systems for more than 140 years. This company’s 24/7 security services protect your home, your family and your belongings from intruders and environmental disasters.

BOTTOM LINE

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. Some ADT products have relatively short battery lives, but the systems still provide strong options for protection.

PROS

• Variety of products
  • Theft protection guarantee
  • Reliable service

CONS

• Limited video capabilities

Top ADT Reviews

We have had an ADT system for 6+ years with no issues. ... The system worked ... in one case ADT called my cell phone, I gave the safe word and the alarm was turned off. In the other case adt couldn't reach me and the police were called.

I've had this service for a few years now and I don't have any major complaints. They do their job and they respond quick. This is the kind of service that you want to never have to need and luckily I've never had to …

Protect Your Home

Get a professionally-installed home security system today.

Get Started

What is ADT?

ADT is a security company that provides professional monitoring services for homes and commercial buildings across the United States. The company's home security features include 24/7 monitoring, infrared motion detectors, high-decibel alarm sirens, backup batteries, yard signs and window decals. An ADT security system requires a 36-month contract plan.

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can detect and report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular backup. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating coverage until the threat is over.

Users can arm their home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Go. ADT Go also features family location sharing, SOS emergency response and crash detection.

ADT uses Z-Wave technology to connect your smart devices, which allows you to control them seamlessly from the ADT mobile app. With ADT, your smartphone can lock doors, fine-tune lights, adjust thermostats, alert you to an open garage door and display video from your porch.

ADT price

The price of an ADT home security package ranges from $35.99 to $55.99 per month after a one-time $99 installation fee. Consumers can choose from several ADT home security systems packages, including:

• ADT Secure (around $36/month): This package provides the essentials to help homeowners and renters protect their homes. Features include security monitoring equipment, 24/7 alarm monitoring, professional installation and monitored fire, flood and carbon monoxide detection. Equipment includes a digital keypad, window sensors and a wireless keychain remote.
  • ADT Smart (around $44/month): This package includes everything in the ADT Secure plan plus smart home automation controls, customizable alerts and the ability to arm and disarm the system remotely.
  • ADT Complete (around $56/month: ADT Complete includes all the items in the ADT Smart package plus security cameras that live stream to mobile devices and can record and save video clips.

Termination fees apply for early cancellation.

ADT installation

Though do-it-yourself installation is an option, professional installation is faster and more efficient.

1. To prepare for your ADT alarm installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. In hardwired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors. Wireless home security systems are typically easier to install.
  3. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

The average professional ADT installation cost varies based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. A 90-day warranty is available following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: A solution to forgotten or mistaken codes, the ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Video doorbells: Video doorbells allow you to answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

How much does ADT cost per month?
ADT's most basic monitoring plan costs $36 per month, and its most premium package is about $56, not including installation. Monitoring requires a three-year contract, and termination fees apply for consumers who break their contracts.
Can I add cameras to my ADT system?
You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse with video capabilities. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.
How much does ADT cost with cameras?
Monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select, but cameras are $150 each.
Are ADT prices negotiable?
Customers can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long they have been active users. Customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.
What is ADT Pulse?
ADT Pulse is ADT's home and business automation monitoring system that allows customers to remotely arm and disarm their security systems, display video monitoring, control lights and thermostats, receive alerts and custom notifications and lock and unlock doors.
What does ADT stand for?
ADT stands for American District Telegraph.
Does ADT replace batteries?
ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps consumers find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.
Does ADT offer security cameras?
Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. The ADT Command system hosts up to eight wireless cameras that record up to 6,000 30-second clips each month. Consumers can view camera footage live if they want to check on their home or office.
Do I own my ADT equipment?
It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.
How long does an ADT backup battery last?
The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. Consumers should keep the backup battery charged to utilize it as a backup power source.
Do you need a landline for ADT?
ADT does not require a landline, but it is an option for consumers who want to use it.
Can I use my ADT equipment with another company?
Yes, some other companies reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before purchasing additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.

Is ADT worth it?

Yes, ADT is worth it. Consumers nationwide trust ADT, and it is an industry leader in security monitoring. ADT offers several products and solutions to protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and allows consumers to control everything from their mobile devices.

ADT Reviews

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I was getting notification that I was running out of video storage 2 weeks before the first of the month. I called ADT and was treated with great respect and concern for my concern. Within moments, the issue was resolved and ADT made sure I was happy with the outcome. What a GREAT team!

ADT response

Hello Willie- We are happy to hear that we have been able to resolve your issues. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and let us know of your experience. -Jackie

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

We were receiving alarm faults on a door sensor and scheduled a visit with a technician. I received 2 appointment notices via text message, one the day before and one the same day the visit was scheduled, of which I was asked to confirm or cancel by responding to the text. Sam (the technician) arrived on time. After he replaced the faulty sensor, he took the time to check our cell unit, he noticed it was an older 3G and replaced it with a newer 4G.

He then checked our control panel to ensure everything was functioning properly, He then checked each and every glass break, motion detector, glass break and fire alarm that we have. He discovered that one of our glass breaks was not functioning properly and replaced it. I am seriously impressed with his work ethic, his knowledge of the product, his positive attitude, and his professionalism. I only wish that every service technician in any field that I ever have to encounter would be a clone of this man. Well done Sam! Thank you ADT.

ADT response

Karen- Thank you for letting us know of your awesome experience and for being such a great part of our ADT Family! We're so glad to hear that Sam was able to resolve the issues with your system and will be letting his manager know of your terrific experience with him! ~ Eileen

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have had ADT for several years and have never had a false alarm. It’s very easy to operate and the monthly fees are reasonable. I was able to set the number of seconds I needed to get out the door after turning it on. Likewise, you can also set the time needed once you open the door to be able to shut it off. I really like the fact that the battery will take over if for some reason you lose power. I’ve received helpful and courteous service when I’ve called about the battery needing to be replaced. That was easy. I purchased the battery and was able to install it myself. I feel very safe with this system.

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us Linda. We are happy to hear of the positive experience you have had. Thank you for being part of the ADT family. -Jackie

Original review: July 16, 2019

I like the system. It's got a bunch of options and features including front door, sliding door, window, entry, and exit alarms. We have the complete system installed in our home. However, we couldn't get into the system when we moved in. Apparently it got cancelled until the new contract was signed. Oh, the in-home alarm still worked but over time when the company came to renew the contract, the guy who came to our home, because we can't afford the monthly charges, started unhooking wires to the point of removing parts here and their dis-alarming the whole system.

I have this elaborate system installed in my home ($3k +) and because we can't afford to keep paying the monthly premiums, we can't even use the alarm system at all. I get you pay for a service. What makes me mad at them is the system has been bought, installed, paid for and now because of one visit from a company rep, the company rip (ripoff), the whole alarm system has been turned off and we can't even use it as a door alarm apart from their monthly service fee.

I rated them high because I believe it's a great system but BE ALARMED. If you can't keep paying the monthly service fee, you wasted money having the system installed!!! Perhaps I would of wanted to start paying for the service but ADT basically said by their actions, nope you had your chance. I got a whole bunch of useless wired alarms that because I stopped paying for a month, the whole system is useless. Think about before you pay for the system because if life changes causes you not to pay for their service they will not just turn their service off. They will completely dis-alarm that whole elaborate system you paid for!!

Original review: June 10, 2019

I am moving and had to move service to my new home. I was connected to Joshua via ADT phone service and he was beyond helpful, not pushy but educated me on my decision. I had to talk to my SO and he was able to email me the information and even called me back when I wanted to proceed. He did not hide anything and was open and transparent throughout the process. I may have cancelled service if it would have been a big ordeal moving to a new home but he made it quick and easy. Thank you Joshua for your amazing customer service. I hope I could deal with you for my other services too!

ADT response

Hello Andrew- Thank you for reaching out to us with your kind words about Joshua. We are happy to pass along the compliment to his manager! -Jackie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: March 29, 2020

You never can expect having a smart home through working with a bunch of dummies who give you this service. Very impolite, unprofessional agents and associates who works for this company because they couldn’t find another job. I got the service three weeks ago and was happy and excited to get it but in last three weeks I found out I have paid that much money to purchase stress, anger and dealing with dummies. I’ll refund it.

Original review: March 29, 2020

I have ADT for yrs and that’s because I’m locked on a deal I can’t get out, every time I move, I’m move and the contract starts from the beginning and locked in for a new one contract. I can’t seem to get out of it and locked for another 3 yrs. If I try to get out I have to pay the price they claim waiving in the beginning of your contract which is really your three year signed contract that they lock you in. I believe we have so many apps with so many choices. Let’s take about when my alarm goes off they don’t send the police officer to my apartment in 3 minutes. they ignore and assume it’s a false alarm and then I get an email that my alarm went off. What I’m really paying for to use the app?.

Please do not sign yourself on a deal that you can’t get out. If you move your contracts starts from the beginning meaning you're signing up for the next 3 yrs. I live in an apartment not guaranteed that I’ll be renting for three yrs. My lease is yearly with an option of leaving after the yr is up and a month to month option so why lock someone for three years?. There are many and better options out there. The competition is high and you can get better deals!! Stay away from ADT.

ADT response

Hello Afrah- We would be more than happy to review the terms of the agreement further and address your concerns with your alarm system. We do apologize to learn of the trouble and can address this with you if you could please email our team directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com with a reference to your review and the full address in which the services are located. Thank you~ Eileen

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 27, 2020

I have had a really bad experience with ADT. I am even just tired to keep calling them. The technician who came into my house on December 31st 2019 was very pushy to sell me their security system and monitoring. He spent about 3 hours trying to convince me. Unfortunately, at the end he did it. BE AWARE because they tell you what you want to hear at the moment of selling you their stuff and it comes out to be all but lies. He said that after the holidays he was going to take care of the pending things personally. Which he never did and every time I have called requesting that they take care of this, they ended up washing their hands and promising me that are going to call me back and no one ever follows up.

Also, every time they ask you to contact another phone number because they have third parties (which they don't tell you upfront either). They don't care about their customers once they have you secured and under contract they give you only negative answers, making you fell that you are making up everything. My bad is that I should have called before it was too late to cancel the contract. They are not trustworthy and if a thief don't break in your house they will make sure to screw you and do not meet what was offered once you signed the contract.

At the end they didn't meet what was agreed with their sales person they day I signed the contract and now they are saying that the door bell was not even included on the contract so they cannot even reimburse me something that was not paid for. I paid a huge amount of money in comparison with the equipment I got and their service is very expensive too. After I am done with the 3 years of contract I would never renew the contract and I would never refer this company to anyone. They don't care about their customers and it is a rip off. Very disappointed with this company.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 26, 2020

I am having to move my business out of my current location due to the coronavirus. I do not have a new location for this business, so it will most likely permanently close. They are saying I have to pay $1914 to finish out my contract. I do not have that to pay from a permanently closed business. They said I could relocate to a new place to avoid that fee. I said I might find a new temporary place for the business where I could relocate it eventually, but I have no idea where or when.

They said to relocate to that new temporary place, I have to sign a NEW three year contract. It won't even be a three year lease, which means I'll have to pay another $2k once I move out of that place or sign another 3 year contract. So this sounds like blackmail at this point. Sign a 3 year contract with us or pay $2k because I am unable to continue business in my current location. No one has been able to help me. 5 times I have been disconnected for no reason after being passed around from department to department. During this global pandemic, this is some real terrible customer service.

ADT response

Hello Andi- We are sorry to hear that you have had to close your business due to Coronavirus. We have received your post through other social media channels. As we have offered to reduce the final termination charges by $500.00 making the new balance $1,414.99.

Or, if you would like to wait and keep the services active we can negate the next 3 months of monitoring given the current state of the US (in addition to the world). This way you can keep the services active for 3 months, and hopefully things will make their way back to normal.

Original review: March 26, 2020

I have been a customer with ADT for 15+ years. I was billed and sent to collections after I moved out of an apartment. I was no longer under contract after 3 yrs. They made it difficult for me to cancel when I moved out and then billed me for 5 months after I moved out! Horrible business ethics. Seems like new owners of company. Do not use this company!!!! I have never written a review for a company in my life but I need to let consumers know.

ADT response

Hello Sharon- We do apologize again to learn of this frustration! We have also responded to your concern via yelp as well and would ask that you email our team directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com for further assistance. Please include the address in which the services are located and information on the issue you are experiencing within the body of the email. Thank you~ Eileen

ADT Company Information