It's that easy Request Information
1.42/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

8012 ADT Consumer Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I used to be an alarm installer/inspector and when that business closed, I heard about ADT but never thought about it. About three years ago, we've been having a lot of break-ins around here and I told my wife it was time that we put an alarm system in. I called up ADT and they came over. I was getting ads or cards in the mail saying, "Install this. Get this for this. Your panel is free," and any additional, so we added a lot more than what they offered. We needed all our windows and doors done except just a few, so we did the whole ball of wax and was done with it.

The installation team knew what they were doing. We have all our windows and doors to our underlay and we have smoke and carbon monoxide detection through ADT, which is hooked up to it in the basement and upstairs, panic buttons, and breakage. When you break a window, it's detected in the basement and in the garage. The service is great. I call in and do a test. When I had problems, they sent people out. We would open up a door and it wouldn't work and we were having problems with the detectors and stuff, so they came out and solved all my problems with no charge.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The ADT sales representative was very good. I got the package that included the alarm and fire. During the installation, my wife was there. However, I should have been there as well to tell the crew how I would have liked them to install the system as the job looked like it was done too fast. Still, the system is exactly what I wanted and it works. ADT monitors my house and I'm secure.

One time years ago, my wife went out with my son shopping. She forgot something on the stove and the fire alarm was blinking. ADT called the fire department and the fire department came here to take care of the situation. After that, thank God, I never needed them. Nevertheless, every time I call or if I call to test my alarm, everybody at ADT has been pleasant and helpful.

Overall, my experience with ADT has been very good and staying with them all these years means I’m happy with them. However, my wife who was disabled for years died from lung cancer. The bills are astronomical and I have to cut corners for cost. I’m 71 years old and already retired. ADT rate keeps going up and up all the time and they don’t have a senior discount. Although I like the company and I’m satisfied with the service, I might not be able to afford it any longer. So I was very strongly thinking that I might cancel their service because of that. Still, I strongly recommend ADT.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

ADT is a good company. I enjoy it because the fee is good and comparable. I had it in another house in the area and I transferred it over to the house in ’07. ADT’s smart features are not hard to work with. Whenever I dealt with ADT people, they were very professional. I called them when I needed to know how to do something and they explained it to me. There was one time that I called them on the telephone to let them know that I was gonna have some lights done on my house. They thanked me and they were happy that I let them know about it. They also listen to what I am asking them. Their people are very helpful, knowledgeable and very courteous to me.

I got sick one time and I didn’t want to call my daughter. Instead, I pushed the button and the fire department was out here immediately like Johnny on the spot. They helped me to get my daughter on the phone so she could come here to see about me. And if I forgot to the turn the alarm off, they will call me immediately to make sure I’m okay. ADT is reliable. I’m trying to get my sister to change as she always has some issues with her company.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I've been with ADT for 20 years now and I'm happy with what I got in my system. I went wireless and got the fire alarm, and ADT has treated me fairly. They are very prompt. If I need them, they make time and they come. When I call the customer service, they send somebody out to Tallahassee. The technicians have been prompt, friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. The two I've met have been wonderful.

One time the battery on the motion detector went out. I have three houses in the surrounding area and I have maintenance on the system in Alabama. The lady I talked to told me that they don't cover replacement batteries, but they do on my Alabama one. She said I have to do it myself, so I told her that she had to get on the line with me when I went get the batteries. She told me she'd walk me through it. The system was behind my TV in a corner high up, and I had to get a little step ladder and crawl behind the TV. She told me exactly what to do and I did it, and I was very appreciative of that.

Original review: July 25, 2018

When I first started with ADT, my nephew was selling them. I was originally in Midway, and when I moved, I got ADT down here and there was a man that came and sold me the service down here. I don’t have a lot of extras other than my security system but I’m happy with it. It makes me feel good to know that I can go to bed at night and not have to worry. Also, I love that I can set the mobile app or take it off when I’m not at home.

However, the system kept going down right after we moved in. I couldn’t set it from the remote. I thought I was setting it from the control panel but I wasn’t. ADT sent somebody out here who tinkered with it and said it had a key mobile chip in it and it needed a Verizon chip because it would pick up better. That lasted a little bit of time and the same thing started happening again. I don’t know what was going on with ADT but they had some folks on loan. There were two of them who came that day. One man told me he was from Florida and he was sent up here. He worked a couple of weeks before going back home. He found that my old house in Midway had the number and everything was still in the computer system. He went through a process and once he got that out of the system, I’ve never had any more problems with it. I would highly recommend ADT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2019

ADT is the absolute worst. This is a money hungry, blood sucking company that couldn’t care less about their customers. I have been an ADT customer for almost 8 years. My small business recently closed down. When I first installed ADT I paid $369 for equipment and another $144 for installation just to upgrade my equipment because I kept having trouble with my services working. Therein lies my first problem, believing the hype of this company. They are only nice until they suck you in, after that you’re on your own.

After over 6 years with this company, I had to upgrade my security which also meant paying more money – almost $60 per month. To get the pulse that everyone had, (which by the way wasn’t even offered to me as a “loyal customer” of 6 plus years), they extended my contract for that upgrade. I have had problems with the equipment being loose on the door and being told that I am responsible to fix it. The only time I got any help with ADT is when I inquired about why I paid for a quality service plan that was supposed to be included in my plan. Absolute poor customer service.

Just before I had the upgrade with ADT, I had changes with my phone lines and internet that needed a separate box for VOIP. The ADT technician who came never informed me that my current system that I had would NOT be incompatible with the pulse hub that had to be installed to my current internet setup. I had issues with my all of my communications and camera system and had to spend hours trying to figure out what was going on. I even had to have my internet provider come out multiple times to troubleshoot issues that were most probably caused by ADT. I even called ADT and had to speak with technical reps.

On the contract, ADT lied and said I had a traditional phone line when he obviously had to install the pulse hub in my office to my other internet VOIP equipment, then lied again when it is noted that a cell guard was included in the increase price on my new contract when I already paid for this previously. Also, he failed to inform me that I was able to decline the quality service plan which I didn’t need anyway since ADT always tries to find a reason why. 1. They can’t service their own equipment or 2. Why you need to pay more money for them to come out. Oh, did I mention false alarms? How about multiple false alarms when you live 30+ mins away. Dealing with ADT is an absolute nightmare.

After having to close my small business I called several times leading up to the day and no one informed me that I had to give a 30 day notice for me to cancel my account. When I finally called to let them know I was closed, the lady told me I had to give a 30 day notice. When I tried explaining my stance to a rep after being transferred at least 5 times, she didn’t want to listen to my grievances about this contract that ADT is trying to hold me to.

ADT hides behind their so called contract hoping that something sticks…. So they can stick you with fees upon fees in situations that are beyond your control. MY ADVISE: RUN!! FAST. Don’t get sucked into this company that has zero consideration for their customers. You would do better installing a boxed security system yourself, there are plenty companies that won’t suck you dry!! And since systems are wireless these days…

It’s better to have no contract and service your own equipment because if ADT doesn’t get you one way they will surely get you some other way. Also, make sure you file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission if ADT does not resolve your grievances. The penalties they would have to pay for any violation will pale in comparison to what they are trying to stick you with. ADT? Question? How are you holding me to a contract that is erroneous and absolutely misleading?

ADT response

Hello Ellen- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with the detailed issue description emailed to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 6, 2019

The 3 year contract is a bigger deal than you might imagine. Regardless of how poor their service is, you can’t escape. When they set up your system wrong and tell you they will fix it right away but don’t show up, you can’t escape. When you have to call them to get them to come out again, and then they set it up wrong a second time, you can’t escape. Then, when you call to complain, and they say your contract is with a local company called Defenders, and they transfer you to them only to have them lie about a supervisor having gone home for the day and then “oh actually one just walked in”, you can’t escape.

Then when they create an official case to look into the issue and will certainly call you back in 72 business hours (which of course they don’t, 1 full week later), you can’t escape. In fact, when you call in to ask for a supervisor, and they tell you that all supervisors are too busy to come to the phone but one will certainly call you back in 48 hours (which, of course they don’t), you can’t escape. So, maybe you get lucky. Maybe everything runs smoothly. But are you willing to risk the $1700 that it will cost to get out of your contract? I was too excited to get a security system to think about this. I thought the fancy cameras and app would make up for it. I was wrong. You don’t have to make my mistake.

ADT response

Hello Cole- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Received ad for $27.99 monitoring. Ordered install based on that. June 4-Charged $104.94 for installation and set up. June 6-Installation by tech who was VERY high pressure sales to sell additional equipment. I actually had to tell him I didn't like his tone. June 7-Charge to my bank for $95.38 for monitoring service at $52.99 per month prorated for June and full rate for July. June 10-Sent cancellation per contract within three business days. Cancellation calls for refund within ten business days. July 5-Called to complain had not received refund and was told that account still showed as active and refund would not come until 30 days after cancellation. July 6-Charge to my bank of $52.99 AGAIN. Called to complain again and was told I would not get my refund until equipment was removed from the home. Still no word on my refund or when I will receive it.

ADT response

Hello Henry- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2019

I’ve been a customer for about 10 years, maybe more and you’ve just lost me as a customer and I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone. Brooke was very unhelpful and didn’t try to help me in any way. I replaced my battery a while back and my system just hasn’t been working and all I was trying to do was to get a tech out here to reboot my system and get it working again. I pay for my system on a monthly basis and Brooke was telling me that it doesn’t matter that we pay our monthly bill, I will still be charged another $96 to have my system rebooted and fixed. Last time I had someone come out. They told me that it was covered under maintenance and there was no fee. Brooke didn’t even attempt to help a long term customer that was happy with this company, she was very rude and absolutely no help.

When the tech came out last time (about 2 years ago) he was wonderful and showed me my contract details on his laptop and told me that I should request a reimbursement for the battery that I paid for myself (I didn’t care about the reimbursement) but even then, there was no fee for him to come out and just reboot my system and get it working. That’s all I wanted this time... was to have a technician come out and get it turned back on but no, Brooke made it clear that it would be $96 for the first 30 minutes for someone to come out and take a look and then an additional $24.50 for every 15 minutes after. This is a JOKE of a company... They’ve definitely lost me as a customer and I’ll NEVER refer them out.

Goodbye ADT... Hello VIVINT. ADT... you should probably hire people that are happy with their job and actually try to help your company by keeping your customers happy ESPECIALLY your long term customers that have paid MONTHLY for your service even when the system wasn’t working for two damn years. Advice to customers - look into Vivint, they’re wonderful and offer even better deals and discounts if you’re switching from ADT.

ADT response

Hello Jessica- We're saddened to hear that you are leaving ADT. Should you want to give us an opportunity to assist. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to us? Thank you.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I have been an ADT customer for 14 years. Trying to cancel service for over 3 months due to horrible customer service with my alarm system. Went thru divorce and had to change name on account. ADT says I signed up for a 5 year contract and never did. So now they want to charge me termination fees. They charged me many times for services that were to be free. Have account set up for auto pay so they take money anytime they want for free services. You spend hundreds of hours on the phone and your bill keeps getting bigger and they keep taking money so much that I had to pay to block them from my account. They will not terminate my service, keep taking money and offering discounts that never happen. Company is a disgrace to the security business. They will never resolve this problem because they are cowards that suck you dry and never follow thru on anything.

I have reported them to the BBB and no reply, They will reply here that they are sorry but they are not. The area manager on the west coast John ** has done nothing to help but keep offering discounts that I will never accept. I do not know what to do? Next to hiring an attorney you will never get away from this company. Shame on you ADT for doing this to so many people. The company needs a class action lawsuit against them, oh there has been and they do nothing but keep collecting money. I have documented everything to prove it. They have no valid contract on my account that I have seen as of yet. Buyers beware and never sign up with ADT. You will be SORRY!! Would give no stars if that was an option.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I had ADT installed because of a security issue. I was told that I could get their cameras and a doorbell cam, I was super excited because they were running a promotion which meant I got the doorbell cam for free. When they got ready to install the system, they realized I had HughesNet (I live in a rural area) and immediately I was told that their cameras wasn't compatible. Which meant that I could no longer get the security cameras through them!!! That was my whole point of calling them to start with.

They went ahead and installed the security alarm and told me to get a better internet provider and they would come back and install the cameras, no charge. I told them that no other provider serviced my area but they didn't care (it was all about the sale). I found another security company that actually did work with my internet, so I called ADT to cancel their service. They made me wait 30 more days before they would actually cancel the contract and I had to pay them for it even though their equipment wasn't even hooked up or monitoring anything. Then I got an email stating that I owe them $1300 for cancelling, EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE SERVICE A FULL MONTH! I just looked at my credit card and they have charged my card for the full $1300 even though I didn't consent to it. I'm furious STAY AWAY FROM ADT!! I'm telling everyone I know to stay away from this horrible company.

Original review: July 2, 2019

Called ADT hoping to deal with an honest company who would tell the truth and do what they say in person and not just over the phone. I was told I could have up to 5 exterior cameras along with window sensors, fire protection, and door protection for on cost and there was no limit. Of course this was a lie and when the technician shows up they only allow 2 exterior cameras due an ADT company policy as well as I limit on how much equipment could be installed. I felt betrayed and lied to again. Never again will I ever trust any company till I have it in writing in my hand. The installer was like a different security company than the one I spoke with on the phone. He tried sales tactics to convince me to accept less than I was promised as if I was stupid. He also took advantage of my fiance who didn't understand what he was saying.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have never been CHEATED, ENTRAPPED, TREATED in the way you are treating me and my family. We signed up a year ago. We explicitly and multiple times asked what happens if we must relocate ABROAD due to JOB transfer. We were told that if ADT cannot provide services at our new location (like moving abroad), we will not be held to the early termination fee and penalties. NOW that my husband got a contract (copy was submitted), the company first tried to tell us that the no-penalty rule applies only to the military. When I pointed out that "military only" was NEVER mentioned, the story changed to one of the MOST INSANE arguments: that it is my husband's contract and not mine, and since I signed up for ADT, we are still in breach of contract (never mind NO ONE mentioned to me that my husband should be on the account and not me - we are MARRIED!!!).

When I offered to keep services at our new home, I was told that ADT does not service Germany. SO... your company is telling me that you cannot provide services that you demand I pay for?!?! I am not talking morality here. I am talking FRAUD. You are a terrible company! You do not care about your clients. Your logic is insane: my husband gets the transfer, but I am liable because I do not have a job in our new location?!!! You sent me on a calling chase, resulting me in speaking to nearly 10 different people in various departments over the course of 50 minutes. Your lack of logic and consideration for people is disappointing and enraging. Not to mention that your logic is entrapment of clients and fraud (yes, I am mentioning the word again). I hope to make sure no other family falls for your deception. Rest assured I will continue fighting. (My message to ADT.)

Original review: July 2, 2019

I had my old ADT system upgraded last week. The upgrade included three wireless security cameras. The picture quality of these cameras is horrid. Pixelation, unfocused, and the inability to clearly see faces. One service tech said it was due to a poor wireless signal. This is simply not true as I own a wireless Nest camera which uses the same wireless system and the Nest provides a crystal clear picture. The lead tech for my area told me to just return the cameras if I wasn't happy with the quality. I called up ADT customer service today to see what they could do. The representative was totally dismissive. Again I was told that my only option was to have the cameras removed.

ADT outright refused to lower my monitoring cost for the inferior cameras. They also refused to provide me with a better camera when one comes out unless I paid for the new cameras. My wireless is fine, the ADT cameras are pitiful. After being an ADT customer for almost thirty years I am seriously considering having the entire system removed and going to a different security company. Nothing but rudeness, dismissiveness, and a runaround from the technical, sales and customer support departments. This is unacceptable for a company with over 140 years in the business.

Original review: July 1, 2019

ADT has been very slacking in their service. One time I received call that the alarm of my house sounded off when I was away. The representative actually told me that he tried to call the police but could not get a hold and told me they continue to call the police until someone pick up. A few year until recently, I noticed a slight increase in my bill of $6. The sale person set up the system for me, promised me that the bill will never increase. I called and they were able to reduce it. Sketchy. Fast forward until a couple months from now, I changed to another security service. In a way to persuade me to stay, they said they can lower my bill to 29.99 per month from 57.73. This means I was overcharged so much for the entire time I stayed with them? Super Sketchy.

Now about the cancellation part, I called to cancel on 5/14. They said there is a 30 days cancellation policy so I'm still being charge for the June, but at the wrong amount. So I called 2 times and was ensured that the credit amount will be refunded back to my credit card. I waited and waited and nothing came, so I call again for the fourth times. The two ladies account manager and billing department (Whitney) was able to help me understand the billing part and actually have to initiate a Refund Request (they promised to send me a check this time), which the previous 3 representatives never did. They also helped remove the autopay from my account so that I don't get charge again in the future months since my service is already cancelled, another thing the other representatives never did. Dysfunctional business process. Now that I'm gone, I will never go back. I will also advise all the people I know to never deal any business with ADT.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Second frustration with ADT: I informed ADT that I am moving from my home which I had sold, on April 28 2019. I was not allowed to cancel my subscription saying that I had signed a 3 year contract, so I asked them to hold my payment until I purchase a new home and moved in. I purchased my new home in June and called ADT to relocate my equipment to the new house. A sales agent came to meet me at my new home and said they couldn't move that equipment and offered to install new equipment at an extra cost of $400 and a new 3 year contract. He sent me a contract to sign that stated that my old subscription will be canceled once I sign the new subscription.

So, now I either get a new contract and pay so much more for new equipment or they continue to withdraw money from my account for services not rendered. So far, my account has been debited in May and in June despite the fact that I don't live there. This is called arm twisting customers into spending more money!! Please return my money and cancel my subscription!! I will publish this everywhere!

Original review: July 1, 2019

Liars is all I can say. We were first time buyers and was lied to in sales office to get to purchase. Said he would throw in $200 worth of "free stuff" if we went with them. So I said okay. Came and installed and then the crap started. They said contract was for $27.99. When I went to login to the first day or so I had TWO charges, one for $56 and one for $53. I signed up end of June so there was only 3 days prorated. When I called in to question the bill I got switched around so many times to different depts I lost count. NO ONE wanted to keep me or try to get it straightened out. When I said I want to CANCEL my service they were FINE with that and didn't CARE AT ALL! I am in process now of mailing in my CANC notice and being done with this company. ADT isn't what it used to be and they don't care at all.

ADT response

Hello S.J.- We are sorry to hear of the experience you have had. We are happy to help. Please reach out to us. Please include your phone number, address and post. -Jackie

Original review: June 29, 2019

Received an advertisement promising a free doorbell camera with a certain level of service. Just moved into new home and decided to go with ADT based upon brand recognition and offered camera. Technician came out and did an excellent job with installation. It was explained to me at that time, by the wonderful technician, that I couldn't get the camera because I did not yet have WiFi installed. I figured at that point that I'd just have someone out when it was set up in a few more days, or I'd at least get the free camera sent to me. No, they don't send the equipment, they have to install.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. The "free" camera is $299 to install. Call customer service thinking maybe if I go with the higher monthly service they'll cut me slack or give me a discount on installation. Nope. They won't. Not only won't they give me any discount on installation, the young lady on the phone decides she needs to quibble with me over my choice of words, correcting me when I call it a $300 installation, when it's really only $299. Very argumentative. And, as others have pointed out, they are happy to let me leave with a sour taste in my mouth if I'll just pay them the 75% of my remaining contract balance. Wow. They don't care. They're not even trying. And why should they? They have you for the balance of your contract term.

Read the fine print on the "free" doorbell cam offer: It actually says it's $399 to install. So, it was never going to be "free" even if I'd had it installed on day one. Very misleading. Surprising that a company with the sort of brand recognition and celebrity endorsements that ADT has cannot figure out how to do something as simple as good quality customer service. Repeated calls to the company result in no position effect. No supervisors will get on the phone. You're either given to a rude service agent or put into indefinite hold until you give up. ADT, if you read this, spare me the polite written response which is just for public impressions and take this advice to heart: You'll do much better if you can figure out how to not treat your paying customers like we're the enemy. A little politeness, warm human interaction, and quid pro quo goes a long way with decent, law-abiding citizens.

Then, on top of that, the other day the alarm went off because I couldn't get there in time. It went off maybe less than 20 seconds, but I expected the always monitoring ADT would be reaching out to ensure everything was alright. Nothing. No call. No nothing. So, hear me when I say this, and this is just speculation on my part based on my actual experience, if someone catches you off guard, holds a gun to your loved one's head and tells you to disarm the system, nobody is going to check on you.

That's right. Nobody will be calling if they can simply force you to put in your code in less than 30 seconds after the alarm goes off, or however long it takes them to actually do something. I understand that a large amount of security is bluff, but when bluff turns into false advertising and angry customers, it's only a matter of time before things go bad. These are just my opinions, but they are based upon the facts I've experienced.

ADT response

Hello Ed. Thank you for your review and we are very sorry for the amount of frustration this has caused. I have located your account and see that your services were purchased through and installed by a third party named Defenders Security INC, aka Protect Your Home.

Defenders is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they offer their own promotions, install and sell their own alarm equipment, and are not owned by ADT Corporate.

For these reasons, we would need to escalate your complaints through them, as they would be the party to resolve your concerns. I will be reaching out to Defender's upper management on your behalf, and a member of their team will follow up with you. Should you need to reach out to them directly, their number is 1-800-689-9554 as well. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: June 29, 2019

Do not ever use ADT! We cancelled our account when we sold the wife's house, contract had been fulfilled. Now 2 months later they are still billing us! This account has been closed since 5/25 paid in full, no contract obligation left! Cancel this account and never report to credit bureau!

ADT response

Hello. We are sorry for this frustrating experience. So we may review your concerns further to help, may we please have the phone number & address associated with your ADT account? Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: June 27, 2019

ADT is lied to me. They are rude on the phone. They did a very poor job installing the system. ADT won't let me cancel unless I pay the whole thing in full even though the system is not fully installed yet. It's only been a week but they say I can't cancel after 3 days but they said they'd come and fix it after two days and then at 4 days and then at 7 days and it's still not fixed. It has never been installed all the way. I needed the system yesterday morning and it didn't work. Cops were here. ADT is horrible horrible horrible.

ADT response

Hello Richard- We are sorry to hear about your experience. We have located the account and show that the installation was performed by our Authorized Dealer Defender Security. We have reached out to there management team for assistance. Please allow 24 business hours for a follow up call. -Jackie

Original review: June 27, 2019

I cancelled my service in December of 2018 and ADT would not stop sending me invoices. I am filing a complaint with dept of consumer affairs new. I am telling you DO NOT USE ADT. WORST. After cancels I kept getting invoices and sent letters stating I cancelled but ADT did not care.

ADT response

Hello John- We are sorry to hear of your experience. We have located the account and reviewed it. We have credited off the balance on the account and requested the account to be removed from collections. If you are in need of additional assistance please reach out to us. -Jackie

Original review: June 27, 2019

I reached out to ADT last week asking them about the promotion deal I had and why I was charged additionally than what I was told. The first gentlemen I spoke with was very nice and SAID he would be filing a request for my situation to be reviewed and that someone from another department would be in touch with me in 24-48 hours. I did not receive a callback. I had forgotten about it and just reached out to follow up and the woman I spoke with not only had NO record of my calling in last week, there had been no record of any request escalating my issue, after expressing frustration about this situation and your lack of record keeping she informed me that I could just cancel my services. Hah, what a fabulous way going about client retention! This is shameful and unbearably unprofessional, my ears are practically bleeding. I have a very strong work ethic and have been in customer service for over 15 years. This is ridiculous.

ADT response

Hello Stephanie- We are sorry to hear about your experience and the lack of follow up. We have located your account and show that you were installed by our Authorized Dealer LVD Concepts. We have reached out to there management team for assistance. Please allow 24 business hour for a follow up. If you are in need of assistance please reach out to us. -Jackie

Original review: June 26, 2019

We had ADT security installed in our home but last year had a break-in. Turns out the alarm on that window was not working. I called ADT to replace the damaged screen and found out several screens were not working. You can imagine how upset I was to find out my home was not protected (even though I was paying my monthly ADT bill). So I cancelled the service.

The young man who originally sold me ADT told me not to worry, he would take care of ending the contract. But he never did and I continued to be billed. I would call him and remind him to take care of it but he never did. So I called the main ADT number and was told it would be taken care of, but it never was. Recently, I received a letter from a collection agency for close to $1000! Again, I called ADT and was told someone would call me. No one ever did. Today, I called ADT again and was told there is nothing they can do because the bill has already been sent to collections. Excuse me? I was let down at every step of the way by ADT. I would never recommend this company to anyone. They really just don't care.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Starting from the very beginning. I reached out to ADT to make an appointment for an in-home consultation. I was leery about the 3 year contract but I had him come anyways. When they arrived a week later a gentleman in his personal car arrived in ADT clothes. Thought it was weird but whatever. He comes in very polite and asks where my keypad would go and then we looked for break in points in my home. BEFORE I KNEW IT MY KEYPAD WAS HANGING ON THE WALL WITHOUT ASKING. After going through my home he writes a $1750 estimate and tells me my monthly service is $54.00 a month. The ADT associate told me it would be $27.99 after the ADT supervisor tells me nothing out of pocket except a 1 time $109 hookup fee and a $100 Rebate. I say, "No thank you" he says, "Well maybe we can "cut" some stuff that you really don't need." Long story short. Nothing out of pocket besides the $109.

1st month goes by I receive no bill. 2nd month no bill. I call, they say, "Sir you have a zero balance with ADT." She says, "I'll transfer you to Defender Services." I said, "Who are they." She said, "Your service provider." HUH? I called ADT. Defender can't see a bill. So in the meantime I make a $31.00 payment to my ADT account. Defender can't see that so they call ADT Corporate to confirm. They confirm and Defender says they'll pull the money to pay the bill that they can see all of the sudden. Now she can see I owe $30.02. I ask then to set up an electronic payment. She transfers me to add my account, they charge me $30.02 immediately instead of pulling from my ADT credit. ADT corporate then credits my $31.00 because Defender double charged me. Took 5-7 Business Days. In the meantime I'm waiting on a credit from Defender that caused my "bills account" to overdraw because of the double charge. Defender owes me $37.50.

So I call 6/24/19 because I was promised it would be in my account on two different occasions by a supervisor named Sam. Sam wasn't in so I got another Supervisor. SAM NEVER RETURNS CALLS OR FOLLOWS UP WHEN HE SAYS HE WILL. Told the story for the 10th time because Defender will not keep notes or comments in their system. She then tells me they refunded it on 6/19/19 but to the card that was used to process the $109. I opened a different account since then at a different bank and that's why I gave them my new account number to set up auto withdraw. She told me that I would have to wait for the bank to kick the check back to them and then their accounting department would rewrite the check and then mail it to my address. This will take up to 30 days now.

The associates and supervisors have no idea what customer service is. There is no follow up from the staff or managers. When I called ADT to get this fixed they just shot me to Defender and left the conversation. I just want my refund of $37.50 and to know if when I gave my account information to Defender security if it stuck and my payment will withdraw on the 1st of every month. Please advise. DONNY **

ADT response

Hello Donny- We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had. We have located your account and we show that your installation was done by our Authorized Dealer Defender Security. We have reached out to there management team on your behalf. Please allow 24 business hours for a follow up phone call. -Jackie

Original review: June 25, 2019

My husband had ADT in his home in Wisconsin which is why we called for an estimate of service. Technician arrived and installed equipment (which I thought was not right because he had not decided if we wanted it or not and now there are holes in the wall). Well we had the doorbell cam installed as well. He wasn’t sure if it would work because there was no power to our bell. Suggested we get an electrician to keep it. Well, the battery went low on the cam so we plugged it in and called an electrician. He hard wired the doorbell and plugged in the camera the battery warning went off on the Door cam.

The next day the camera stopped working. We call service to send someone out. They tried to troubleshoot the camera but it was not possible. The tech showed up over 3 hours after the time frame they gave me. I was already in jammies for the night. He didn’t say much except that the transmitter went out by the modem. He replaced it and said it’s all set and left. Well the camera never recorded. The camera kept going off and on. They tried to troubleshoot while we were on the phone for about an hour but it wouldn’t work.

So the next day I called (Thursday) they said they couldn’t get a tech out until Monday. Well it’s Monday they were suppose to be here between 11-3, I called at 12:30 to get an ETA they tried contacting the tech 3 times and told me to leave a message so I left a voicemail. 5 o’clock I call again. The rep puts me on hold and the call drops, I call again. Rep was nasty to me and raised her voice telling I am NOT my husband. She cannot talk to me, and hung up on me! I called again and asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that they don’t have one on call. He put me on hold to contact the rep and hung up on me also! By this time I am furious!

I had to wait for my husband to get to the office out of town. He was traveling all day. He spoke with someone and now we are scheduled for Thursday from 10-3. He was told that there was a system error and they didn’t have a technician out. Why didn’t they tell me this? I sat home all day waiting and getting hung up needlessly. We have 30 days to decide if we want to keep this system. Well time is coming up quick and they are not responding as quickly as I had hoped. Or not at all. Will be toyed with as other customers to get our money back if we cancel? I am VERY DISAPPOINTED in their customer service and response time. This is their LAST chance to get it right. All they had to do today is bring in a new camera. What’s next?

ADT response

Hello Joann- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 24, 2019

Updated on 06/26/2019: So, as far as anyone or anyone that reads reviews you will see that my last review, and their response back is that someone in a management position will contact me, but to give at least 24 business hours for them to call me. I am writing a review to let you all know, it’s all lights and show. But no follow up and no phone call from management and this has been over the 24 business hours. Still have to give a star as a one, but wish I could give them a negative star review cause they don’t deserve a star or any stars.

Original Review: When my GF and I moved from our one bedroom apartment to our two story apartment, they where charging us for both apartments. When we called ADT to see what the issue was they sent us to Defenders and the person on the other line gave us a number to a sex line. And after we got that resolved they said they would refund us back our money, but instead sent us a new bill. And when we moved to from our apartment to our new house, we called to set up for a move transfer. They charged us $99 and ran our credit score. And we still didn’t see a technician to move the equipment, and we have been given the run around for over three weeks. And we are to be out of our apartment by the end of this week.

ADT says our contract is through Defenders and to set up through them and Defenders keeps telling us even after they hang up on us, that they don’t have a valid account with us. And to call ADT and then ADT tells us to go through Defenders. Till finally I wanna able to get a hold of someone who got me transferred to someone to set up for a technician to be at the apartment on the 27th to box the equipment. And she told me he/she will be there to box it up and to move it to my house, even after I said I want to cancel the service.

So, now will be having to deal with the technician on that day about that. I don’t want him/her to show up at my house. Just take the equipment from the apartment and leave. Worst Company to deal with, and I will even will be telling people not to do business with ADT. What a joke of a company to deal with, SCAM ARTIST TO THE FULLEST!! I am putting a one star on here cause they are forcing for that star rate, if I could do a Negative 5 stars I would!!

ADT response

Hello Nicholas- We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had. We have located the account and have reached out to Defenders management team on your behalf for assistance. Please allow 24 business hours for a follow up. -Jackie

Original review: June 22, 2019

February 2018 I decided that because I was moving to a new area I’d try some type of security system. I was new to this so I figured I’d go with a system that is popular on tv. I called to get service and everything seemed fine. I was told I would pay $60 a month, a tech could come the same day, I would get a visa gift card, so I thought perfect let’s do it!

Well the tech comes out and says there’s $99 installation fee and fees on top of fees. I also realized I wasn’t get half the equipment I was promised. 3 months and $300 later my system stops working, cameras, the app, the entire thing. So I call ADT up, go to find out I AM STUCK IN A 3 YEAR CONTRACT! But I had 60 days to get out of it if I had documented proof that there are issues. I said yes I’m having issues, she says, "Well I see one issue you had but we fixed it so unless you pay us 75% of what you owe us you’re stuck." Whatever.

June 2019 my system is having connection issues. They try to troubleshoot over the phone but no luck so they send someone out. I’m thinking great! The system sucks and I cannot wait to get out of this contract but for the time being everyone is nice enough to check on me. I spoke to at least 5 different people. At no point did any of those 5 people tell me that it was going to cost me $25 for the tech to come out and SELL me an upgrade, at no point did those 5 people tell me that I was going to be wasting a full Saturday waiting for this technician only for him to come upstairs and say “We are moving the cell service to 5g. Your system is on 4g and unless you pay us $100 for a newer system there’s nothing I can do, I’m sorry”. You have to be kidding me! You mean I wasted my time sitting in my home from 12 to 5 pm for this guy to say he cannot do anything unless I shell out more money?!

Then when it’s time for him to go I have to sign his phone. The tech says “Sign here. It’s basically saying that I came out and you chose not to do the upgrade”. I say, "Okay you did come so no problem." Upon reading the email that’s sent I come to realize I am being charged $25 for this man to spend all of 4 minutes trying to sell me on another $100 worth of straight garbage!

I call ADT and explain my situation. The rep says “we can refund you the $25 because no one told you there would be a charge (yeah funny how that was left out) but because we use cell service so you don’t need a landline you have to pay the $100 and it’ll be $900 to get out of your contract”. Awesome! Read the reviews people! ADT is complete garbage, they are liars, scam artists, and cons. STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY! I’ll leave my review everywhere including social media!!!

ADT response

Hello Sam- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: June 22, 2019

We have been an ADT customer for 20 years now. Early this morning at 5:00am our alarm went off while we were all sleeping as well as a smoke detector in only one bedroom (there was no smoke). After checking the house and disabling the alarm, the smoke detector was still sounding. We call ADT and ask why the police or fire department was never called and they said, “we are not getting a signal from your system.” Meanwhile it’s been an hour and the freaking smoke alarm In ONE bedroom has been going off because they can’t shut it off and don’t know why.

After further discussion they said someone needs to come out and fix it so they can get the signal.. well. It’s $180 for every 30 minutes!!! Are you kidding me? We have had this for 20 years and have never had a problem and tested it last month. They should be providing us a free service to come out and fix their problem, especially being loyal customers for 20 years. Needless to say we are looking at new alarm system companies because what we experienced was a huge disruption, lack of knowledge and a smack in the face. Oh and currently our alarm system isn’t even on, it's disabled because they don’t know why, but yet we have to pay so much for them to come out.

ADT response

Hello Amanda- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: June 21, 2019

As a 10 year customer with ADT I had no complaints until I called to cancel my service on 06/21/19. We had our security system installed in 2009 and we are selling our home soon so I called to cancel our service. I was told I had to pay $224 to cancel because we have 1 year left on a 3 year contract that we signed 2 years ago (which was not true). I asked to have a copy of the contract that I signed and they could not find it. They do have my original contract from 2009 which was a 3 year contract. I asked to speak with a supervisor and they transferred me to another person telling me the same thing, but was even more rude. They insisted that there is a contract and that they will find it and email me a copy within 24 hours. I spent 1 hour and 4 mins. on the phone with them which came to no resolution. They said they will get a copy of the contract from my local ADT.

I asked for the phone number to my "Local" ADT and they said they don't have one (even though they called them, they cannot give me a phone number). I have paid ADT monthly for ten years totaling over $7,000 for their basic alarm system and now they are treating me like I am trying to get out of a contract that does not exist. If this is how they treat their long time customers I would never recommend them to anyone. I am Very disappointed with ADT!!

ADT response

Hello Amy- We are sorry to hear that you are looking to cancel. We have located the account and show that our local office is looking into your concern. We will be following up in 24 business hours. -Jackie

Original review: June 21, 2019

I cancelled our ADT Monitoring service at the end of May. Now it's June and I see another debit charge from ADT. When I call to check on this charge, I got the same answer a few others got, that they require a 30-day notice for cancellation. Rep on the phone said I was told this and I said the two women I spoke with when I cancelled service never said anything about it. In fact the girl that read me her scripted cancellation statement was miserable, spoke quickly, and never mentioned a 30-cancellation notice. I would like my last charge refunded, or I will be talking to the BBB.

ADT response

Hello Chris- We are sorry to hear of your experience. We have reviewed the concern and the 30 day notice was not advised. We have put a refund in for the recent payment. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with. -Jackie

ADT expert review by Ben Mannes

Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

ADT Company Information