Call toll free
3.85/5
Based on 1,385 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

7798 ADT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Here’s the facts... Overpriced - my ex-sister-in-law got home security with their cable and Internet package through Xfinity. They got their main windows covered with some alarm device, two security cameras, and something on their front lock that notified them when it was engaged. Hooked up with their phone and bills along with their cable and internet. Insanely cheap when all other services taken into consideration and just as effective. I paid $36 a month for OUTDATED technology that didn’t sync up with our phones, no security cameras, ohh...and...I had to have a landline. $30 was for the service and $6 was for anytime tech service.

They dupe you into a contract—if they have to engage you with a contract then ask yourself... are they really worth having? Mobile service providers have dumped contracts. Gyms are dumping contracts. I could have SWORN we opted into a simple 24-month contract. Most other providers are 2 years. WARRANTIES PROVIDED are usually 2 years. Not ADT though...THREE YEARS. A LOT can happen in 3 years. Your financial situation may change. For me—I’m now divorced, poor from getting divorced—extremely fixed income, no longer living in the house ADT covered, they have continued to bill me despite this for a service. They have been notified THREE times. Twice in November and once in December when some shotty salesman showed up at my door.

So ADT was FULLY AWARE I no longer resided at that address folks. Oh. They knew. My former joint checking with my ex has now been overdrafted—I work full-time, I just haven’t had a chance to shut it down—and I was thinking per a conversation I had with a man back in November that I would no longer be billed and they’d send me the final cost of breaking contract. And they’re still pushing that they actually deserve the rest of the contract! UNBELIEVABLE. WAS NOT UNTIL TODAY I actually received the feedback that I have to give them—IN WRITING—my cancellation.

They don’t care about you, just your money—despite my pleading based on my personal circumstances and absolute displeasure with their product in my house...they still persist in holding a poor person to fork over hundreds of dollars to cancel the contract. There’s no empathy, there’s no regard. An example of good service for me—I was a customer with AT&T’s mobile service for YEARS. We moved somewhere where their cell service was shotty. They released us from that contract and waived the fees and thanked me for my business.

I had largely a good experience with them so I went back to them after 5 years. I don’t know...return customers are kind of thing. So you’d think ADT would be interested in the longevity of their company by meeting their consumers where they are at...unless this company gets a MAJOR overhaul and new service offerings...I will NEV-ER come back. And by the attitude I have received, they don’t give a flip about your business. Just hand over that money.

ADT response

Hello Amy. We are very sorry for your frustrating experience. I recently attempted to call you to discuss your concerns further, and left a message. ADT will be waiving the early termination charges and I've already made the adjustment on your account. -Andrew

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I called to cancel my alarm reason being the price keeps going up every year. I paid 1600 for my system and I was told once disconnected my panel would be disabled and no longer work. Tell me how this is possible when I purchased the equipment. All I'm cancelling is them monitoring my house. Complete BS and an total rip off. How is that legal?

ADT response

Hi Daniel- We're so sorry to hear you've decided to cancel. Our apologies for any miscommunication. The ADT alarm system would simply cease monitoring with our Customer Care Center but would remain active on site as a local alarm should you choose to continue to use. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to reach our team by emailing Alwaysthere@ADT.com- Tim L

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Beware, the fine print in the contract is not well explained and you WILL be charged more than you expect. ADT will force you to sign a 3 year contract, unlike many other companies whose contracts are only 2 years. I was also told that due to the system that was previously installed in my home (wireless) I had to purchase the most expensive plan 49.99/month, they noted this was a better system-whether I wanted it or not. Upon cancellation of the plan when I moved, I was also charged an additional month! According to ADT, I should have known this since I signed the contract. Hold on to your wallet and bypass this company completely.

ADT response

Hello Darlene. We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system emailed to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we may further assist you? Thank you. -Mazen

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I received some advertisement in the mail from ADT which I thought was a great deal. Little did I know what I was getting. November 17, 2018 I called ** and spoke to David (badge #**) and told him that I was interested in a security system. I asked about the doorbell camera. I told him that I did not have a landline and he gave me a quote of $27.99 per month and it would never go up. He put me on the line with his supervisor named Carly ** badge # **. We discussed my needs and told her that I was interested in a doorbell camera. She gave me an additional $687.00 for equipment upgrades. A man (Joe) came out the very same day to install the camera system.

He did NOT have the doorbell camera and claimed that they didn't carry them because in the winter it got too cold and the camera would freeze up. He wrote up a quote for cameras and installation and it was over $1,500. I told him that was not going to work. TOO EXPENSIVE!! He came back with a quote of $538.26 so I agreed to that price. He had me sign some forms and I noticed that the monthly charge had gone up to $58.00. I told him that I was quoted $27.99 per month. He said "it's only a form that we need signed, it's not a contract". You will get your contract via email. So, I signed it. Not very smart on my part!! When I received the contract, I did not sign it because it did say $58.00 per month and that was not our agreement.

November 20, 2018 I called 1-800-689-9554 to cancel everything and I asked them to come and pick up their equipment. I spoke to April (very helpful) and she told me that in order to cancel, I had to write a letter of cancelation and fax it to **. I wrote the letter and faxed it in the same day. A guy named Cody ** (claimed to be a supervisor) came and removed the equipment. Paint was peeled from my doors from the removal of the sensors. When I brought it to his attention he told me that a little paint would take care of it. Today is January 13, 2019 and I still haven't received my total reimbursement. After numerous phone calls. 01/02/19 I finally received a refund for $106.79.

Keep in mind that they charged me the $106.79 on November 17, 2018 along with $538.26 for the equipment and $81.93 to get the app on my phone. They still owe me a balance of $620.19. I keep calling and they said that it takes 30 days to get my money back but it's been since November 20, 2018 and I'm still waiting. I would strongly suggest that if you're looking for home security, DO NOT go with ADT. Keep looking... Quick to take your money but not as quick to give it back!! By the way they told me that the $27.99 price was with a landline. Maybe their employees need better training because I told David and his supervisor Carly ** that I did not have a landline.

ADT response

Hello Genevieve- We do apologize to hear of your experience! We have reviewed the account and see that your services were set to be installed through Defender Security an ADT Authorized Dealer. Defender Security is a separate entity than ADT with their own package and pricing offers. If you could email us directly and verify the best phone number to directly contact you on we will reach out to Defender Security on your behalf. Thank you~ Eileen

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Honestly I’m shocked at how this company is operating. Got it installed less than a week ago. Panel is not working. Called ADT, apparently it’s not their responsibility. Customer service is horrendous! They told me a different company is responsible for their equipment. So maybe someday someone will give me a call to schedule a booking for a technician to come by. They, however, can not do anything. The system worked for 3 days out of 7 days and they told me they can credit me for...wait for it...15 dollars. Please save yourself the trouble and stay away from this inept completely useless company that knows how to take your money but is not responsible for their equipment.

ADT response

Hello Elana- We have located your account and see that your services were installed through the ADT Authorized Dealer Nightwatch Protection. Nightwatch Protection is a separate entity than ADT with their own package and equipment offers. Nightwatch Protection holds your contract and installs the equipment while ADT provides the monitoring services.

If you could email us directly and verify the name of the account holder and best phone number for contact we may reach out to Nightwatch Protection on your behalf. Thank you~ Eileen

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I had ADT come to my house to install a security system. The tech installed the keyboard panel and then, before going any further, asked me how much I was quoted for a monthly fee. I stated $58.95 per month; to which he replied that there was a one time charge associated with a camera, a $299.95 camera activation fee. After several phone calls and no joy, I had the tech remove the panel and leave. CLASSIC RIPOFF BAIT AND SWITCH TACTIC...

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

ADT called me to tell me that I was late on a payment by 20 days. First time in fourteen years. I said “hey great to hear from you, first time in 14 years”. I asked for someone to tell me how my system is doing and they sent a serviceman to review. Well are you ready. I was told my system was an analog system and couldn’t make a phone call out and has been like that for a couple of years since they switched to digital. You saw that right. I have been a loyal customer for 14 years and they could call to tell me I’m late but never told me that my system has not connected on over two years. Can you imagine how my insurance company would have handled me if they found out I wasn’t actually monitored. ADT only offered me 20% off new equipment and my service rate increase of $22 more a month as a sorry for really failing. Absurd. Go somewhere else for your security.

ADT response

Hi Tom- We apologize for any trouble this has caused. We see that you have made contact with Rochelle from our customer relations team. Thank you-Gabe

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Called ADT customer service to start a service with ADT as we just moved to a new neighborhood and wanted to have home security. Spoke with ADT sales representative (John **) that advised we would be getting a full home security system for our home to include sensors or break window sensors for all the windows, sensors for all doors, 2 motion sensor detectors and a wireless panel for only an installation price of $74 and a monthly fee of $49.00 for monthly security monitoring. This was after I explaining how many windows (9) and doors (5) I had in my home. We asked if that is all we had to pay ADT and the representative stated this was all we had to pay for this package. The ADT representative then stated we could have a doorbell camera installed, but that it would be extra. We advised we did not want the doorbell ring camera or any extras.

Explained to ADT representative that we did not want any extras as we did not want to pay any additional monies. The representative took our credit card information and charged us $74 installation fee as we agreed. The installation was scheduled and ADT technician came to our home. The ADT technician never specified there was any additional costs. He just stated he was unable to perform the work because there was no internet available in our new home yet. We rescheduled the appointment for another date.

On 1/10/19 the ADT technicians came to install the service, but advised it was only one motion detector, one door/window sensor and wireless panel. When we explained this was not what the ADT sales representative had explained the ADT representative in my home advised that he didn't fully understand the order because some items were written within the notes. He stated he had to call his manager to get clarification. He then stepped outside to call his manager. He re-entered my home and advised that the order was only for the only one motion sensor detector, one door/window sensor and wireless panel. He stated that we would have to pay for each item additional and each item would be $80 to $150 for a total of $1,400. Advised that we would not have agreed to this from the very beginning as our home has many entry points.

We explained the situation and ADT representative at our home agreed that their technician made a mistake in offering the full security system for $74.99 and that this happens repeatedly. The ADT representative stepped outside again to call their manager to see how they could rectify the situation. He came back in and advised since there was a mistake on ADT's part that his manager would allow the installation to be completed for $325. Advised the representative that we should not have to pay for their mistake. Felipe (ADT representative) stated he understood, but he had to take direction from his manager. Asked if we could speak with his manager he said, "No. That is not going to do anything. We have to charge you $325 today to do the installation of the full security and that is giving you a discount."

We expressed that we were dissatisfied and that we were not paying for something that was promised to us when we did the sale. He apologized and agreed that he understood, but that it was all he thought his manager would do. Again asked if we could speak to his manager and Felipe stated that would not do anything. We told him, "Ok then let us call ADT customer service and discuss this matter with them." He agreed and waited for us to call and informed us that we could ask to speak with the loyalty team. We asked for the number and he stated it was 1800-ADT-ASAP. We called ADT. We were told that we were not customers because the system had not been installed yet and that we had to speak with the technician on site.

We advised ADT that the minute they took our money we became their customer and that we needed to speak to someone because we were sold something and they were not honoring what we purchased and that the ADT technician on site was not able to do anything for us as he mentioned. We spoke with an ADT representative in the pre-installation department and spent 1 hour and 6 minutes while the on site technician was asked to stay in my home for resolution. The ADT representative on the phone apologizes for the ADT sales representative and advised that the matter would be escalated to the sales representative's manager for employee correction and that they were going to deal with the employee matter, so asked if we still had to pay the $325 and he stated yes. Advised him, "Why do we have to pay for their mistake?" He said he understood and that he was trying to see what he could do for us not to pay the $325.

Explained that this is not the way to do business as I had to take off work and promised one product to receive something else. The ADT representative on the phone apologized and continuously advised if could remove give the $325 discount for us, so that we did not have to pay for it he would. He said that his system was locked and that he could not make that type of correction. Requested to know who could make that correction. He said, "No one."

Requested to speak to the supervisor. He said he was the supervisor. Advised ADT representative that everyone has someone they report to. He said, "No I am it." Requested again to speak to his manager. He stated she could not do nothing for us and he was our last option and us paying the $325 for their representative's mistake was the last option for us. Advised him this is unethical, dishonoring on their part and that their mistake should be corrected/rectified. That we are completely dissatisfied with their service and that we wanted to file a complaint with someone in his hierarchy. Again we were told "I am it".

We again asked to speak with his redirect manager he said she could not see anything in the system and would not be able to make any changes. Requested to speak with a senior management level to be told that there was no managers on site. That all their supervisor, managers and senior level managers had left an hour prior for the day. He said he wishes he could do something for us to not have to pay the $325, but his system was locked and would not allow him to do so. He stated he also spoke with his IT department and that they could not remove update the system for us not to pay the $325.

Requested if they could place the $325 on our bill and then give us a credit on the bill for the $325, so that technicians could start the work and we did not have to pay for their mistake. He stated the system could not allow that, but it allowed to break it out in 3 payments and we had to clarify with them if this meant they would refund/credited our account, so that we didn't have to pay the $325. He said he wished the system would allow him to, but he said the system would not allow that. Requested to speak to senior level management again and told there was no one we could speak with.

At the end of the call he stated the invoice/contract we signed, that not even the ADT technician on site could understand, was the document to look at. Then requested to speak with his manager again and he stated, "The contract states what you receive." Then he said, "I will patch you thru to my supervisor's mailbox," so requested supervisor's name and was informed it was Kirby. Requested supervisor's last name and he advised Kirby **. Requested ext **. Advised him if he had any questions of why we were dissatisfied and advised again why we were dissatisfied, and that they should honor their sales representative's mistake and that we should not have to pay for that mistake. That is it unethical to state he does not have a manager or supervisor after we request to speak to them repeatedly.

Advised them that we will be filing multiple complaints and reiterated them all to the ADT representative again. Advised representative not to cancel the order as we will be filing complaint and want to speak with someone that will rectify the issue. Requested the patch thru to supervisor's (Kirby **) voicemail which only said numbers and left a message.

In review of the invoice we received that we paid for it states keyfob bundle with: and then there is nothing explaining what the bundle is. Also, another item states complete pack we assumed this is everything as it was originally explained to us by the sales representative. Also, explained this to the ADT representatives on the phone. If you're on site employee has questions on the order imagine us as the consumer." We took the word of the sales representative of what these items meant and it was a true bait and switch. Now we are left with no security system and the $74 not in our banking account. We are asking for resolution of this matter.

ADT response

Hello Michael. We apologize for any issues that you have had with your installation. We have received this complaint via anothe rpaltform and it is currently under review. We will be in contact shortly. Thank you. -Gabe

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Sarah, in Account Management, is by the far single worst representative of any company I have ever dealt with. Besides just being horrendous at customer service, she accused me of hanging up on ADT on a previous call, refused to let me talk to her supervisor and did nothing to help respond to my initial request. She said calls are recorded but would not play the call she accused me of hanging up on and stopped answering my questions when I confronted her on her lies. I am 48 years old. I do a lot of business in Texas. I will do everything in my power to steer friends and business associates away from ADT and to your competition, all because of this one employee.

ADT response

Hello Jo- We are sorry to hear about your experience with our rep. We will make sure that we are reviewing your concern with that conversation. Can you please send us your contact information so that we can further review your account. Our email is alwaysthere@adt.com We would be happy to help you. Thank you! -Jackie

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I was a satisfied and happy with ADT, until I I needed them the most. I had to relocate for work, and moved out of my house to a studio apartment for 6-12 months in a new city. The apartment is corporate housing until I found a new home. In doing this I incurred a $1,200 cancellation fee to let me out of’ their 3 YEAR contract. Every attempt was made to bully me into continuing a monthly payment at all costs, but no options were given for a more reasonable cancellation penalty. ADT lost what would have been a life long customer, and in reading these reviews, it looks like I’m not the first or the last. If you’re reading this, do yourself a favor - go with SimpliSafe. (1/4 monthly price and no contract.)

ADT response

Hello Alec. We apologize for your frustrations. It is important to note that the terms of the agreement are fully disclosed at the time of installation. By signing, you are acknowledging that you have read and understand the presented terms, and accept them. We believe in being transparent, that is why the length of the contract and penalty for premature cancellation is in bold font on the first page of all of our agreements. ADT does automatically discount the cost of premature cancellation by 25% on all residential accounts. This is a courtesy that you are contractually guaranteed. If we can be of any further assistance please feel free to reach out to our office by calling customer care at 1 800 238 2727. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I had responded to an email regarding service with “ADT”; which had to be implemented thru “Defender”. I’m on the phone with “Defender”, was stated a price, product, and service; then was instructed that when technical comes out, they would provide the additional discount, because I have Law Enforcement in the home. Of course, this was not the case. It’s sad to trick someone to buy something and get the runaround about sticking to what was quoted. Then want to give credit, give a gift card, which you have to pay to have delivered to you, postage and shipping/handling. Sounds, almost like a scam. Now you’ve exceeded the time-frame to cancel the contract; now you’re robbed by the company that’s securing you! Then you call the representatives; they talk to you, like you’re inconveniencing them, yet it’s not their money and they're just glad they got the sale, it’s over.

I requested the system to change and yet the technician had no intentions in changing this system; because he didn’t bring the equipment per order request; then take the system off and placed it back with the wires hanging out of the wall. Again, yet I’m paying for this type of service. In conclusion, tell people what they’re getting and allow them to make the best judgment on what they pay for, “you get what you pay for”! Personally, I don’t know what I’ve paid for; a box attached to wall with wires hanging out!

ADT response

Hello Marva. We apologize for this frustrating experience. I have located your account see that your services were purchased through and installed by a third party named Defenders Security INC, AKA Protect Your Home.

I will be forwarding your complaint to Defender's upper management but, should you need to reach out to them directly, their number is 1-800-689-9554. Thank yo. -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Have two ADT systems in the same home. One medical alert system. One home security system. Thankfully we "know" ONLY the home security system failed, so no one died. Home was burglarized. Windows opened. Motion sensors nothing worked. 0 protection. Called ADT for technical assistance and System review. Technician showed up and I watched him drive away, after I drove up and waved at him. I would love to post pictures of the Carnage, but I can't seem to find a way to upload.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

When we decided to get an alarm system we were excited! But ADT took away the good safe feeling, because my appointment was also attended too late! The installers never explained anything to me regarding the alarm! Three days have passed that ADT never called me to set up my phoning password to deactivate the alarm! After four days we have decided to test ADT to see if they will call both the panic and the normal alarm we let off. No one phoned! We then phoned ADT our selfs to find out what's the problem, just to be informed that we got a second-hand receiver box with a wrong address, what if our lifes were in danger? They would have never pitched!!!

The armed response on the road is excellent!!! That I give a 10 rating but the rest is pathetic!!! They took the debit order money but I'm still waiting for an inspector to come to my property, because installation looks terrible!!! I think my 10 year old niece would have done a better job! Because my whole living room is full of wires. They punched holes in my ceiling with screwdrivers and sticked wires against my wooden walls!!! All the door magnets are falling off! I'll make definite sure no one uses ADT!!! They are losing their client because of bad service!

ADT response

Hello Iarisha- We are sorry to hear about the experience that you have had with us. Could you please send us your contact information to alwaysthere@adt.com, so that we can review your concern. -Jackie

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My entire ADT experience has been a nightmare. I'll start at the beginning when I called after believing an ADT ad that promised protection for $27/month. The man on the phone said that I would be charged a $99 installation fee with free equipment but if I didn't go through with the service then that would be refunded. A day later someone showed up with ADT van, IMMEDIATELY put a hole in our wall to connect the main hub, and not until after an hour of messing with our wall and that without a phone line we’d have to do a $52.99 plan.

On top of that, all our windows and doors were even covered, and each little gadget per window cost an arm and a leg. We felt utterly scammed; tricked and pressured into paying way more than we thought we would. The man seemed like a professional, so we calming explained how we felt - he spoke to his supervisor and they worked with us a tiny bit on the price. This entire process took some time and we needed to leave for work, so we agreed to pay the equipment cost of about US $2500 in four installment, but he needs us to sign the contract that day. We are in hurry to go work and believed that the guy is from ADT corporate since he has ADT van and we signed and given the credit card information. Later we forgot about the contract since we were busy with the work.

After a year, one of my family friend came to our house and he asked about ADT Security system and how much ADT charging monthly for the monitoring. I explained to him everything and that is the time he told we are cheated and bullied by ADT/ADT Authorized dealer. The technician did not install the motion detector in my home, however this is the basic equipment that ADT advertise it is free with the installation. We felt very same. Even though we have very basic door/and window sensor in our home, we are paying $ 52.99 as monthly monitoring cost to ADT. It's been a year with ADT, I would not recommend anyone to go with ADT. ADT will send Authorized third party dealer and cheat the homeowners. My experience with ADT is very terrible and my humble request to homeowners not to go with ADT for home security system. Now I am trying the way to come out from ADT.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have sent numerous emails and placed 3 calls in an attempt to cancel service. ADT still claims they haven't received my request to cancel. The agents I have spoken with claim they cannot cancel service over the phone. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Do yourself a favor and avoid ADT, as they make it nearly impossible to cancel.

ADT response

Hello Pat- We apologize for the negative experience. We thank you for bringing this to our attention. May we please have your phone number and address where the service is located so that we could better assist you? Thank you. -Mazen

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

In October of 2018 I purchased security services from ADT. It was installed at that time and I paid $638 less $104 for deposit which came to $571.55 (charge purchased) for your product. My husband and I are very senior seniors and realized after we signed the contract that it was too much security and too much money monthly for our small home. Since that time I have spoken to several people concerning this issue. Wanted at least the balance of $571.55 refunded. I told them several times to come take the security products back. I cannot get any satisfaction. It's always "we are backed up and you will have to wait" or "I will see what my superior has to say about this issue and will get right back to you." The old scam...

I spoke to 2 employees of the Defenders Protect Your Home Service who is supposed to handle this problem. Last time I called was in December and I was told that someone "Robert" would get in touch with me that day which he did not. Last time I called customer service I spoke to Nicole, the first time I called I spoke to a dismissive Marlene. The original installer of the service was Micah. I already feel as though I have known these people all of my life. This $571.55 is very important to me. Please resolve this quickly. I Worked with you in good faith...do the same for me.

ADT response

Hello Evelyn. We'd like to have this investigated ASAP! May we please have you email us your phone number, address where your services are located and any additional details you'd like to add at AlwaysThere@adt.com- Thank you! -Mazen

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

HORRIBLE COMPANY, YOU CAN DO BETTER WITH A SECURITY SYSTEM FROM AMAZON. This is not an honorable company! If you are thinking about getting ADT, please check out the Ring system on Amazon. We set up the ADT system for my mother over a year and a half ago. In July of 2018, my mother was hospitalized, and we were told she couldn't return home. Once we had her set up in the Care Facility, I started canceling her account. In late October I explained the situation to a lady named Nancy ** with ADT, and she told me to email what the situation was along with the Power of Attorney documentation, and they would release the account and not charge for the early cancellation fee since this was an unforeseen event. She said I would have to one more month because of the 30-day notice and I said that was fine.

December 14, 2018, I received a bill from ADT stating that I owed 920 dollars for canceling the service. I called them back and produced the email that Nancy ** had sent me stating everything was taken care of, and the account would be canceled on December 14th. Now, I needed a letter from the Nursing Home and the lady I was speaking with assured me that the account would not be charged.

So on December 27th, the Nursing home faxed over the letter stating my mother was a resident with that facility, and they received a confirmation back from ADT. So you can imagine my surprise when on January 1, 2019, ADT tried to withdraw the $920 dollars from my mother's account. Luckily I didn't have that much in the account, so I was just charged a return-draft fee. I tried to call again, but the wait was 15 minutes. So on Monday, I am reaching out to my Parent's Elder Law Attorney to file a suit against ADT for taking advantage of an elderly incapacitated person. #ADTWORSTCOMPANYEVER

ADT response

Hello Darla. We apologize for the negative experience! We understand how frustrating it can be to go through something like this. We see that you have reached out to us on Facebook. We will continue to assist you there. Thank you. -Mazen

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

We purchased the works with ADT. Cameras indoor and out. Window and door sensors. Nest thermostat. Now that being said. The sales representative told me that we didn’t have to sign a contract and that it would cost 265.00. When I got home the day of installation my wife had signed a three year contract and paid almost 500.00. Within 24 hrs my HVAC system failed. Technician came out, adjusted a few things and said everything was fine. Two days later the inside of my HVAC system caught fire and melted the wiring and sensors in the unit. I called and told them to come remove it. Two weeks later a technician came out and said it was just bad luck and nothing to do with Nest thermostat or the installation.

Two weeks later it happened again. Being that I’m an electrician I decided to investigate myself. Once I opened everything up it was clear what happened. They installed the thermostat wrong causing the heat coil to run all the time. It was running during air conditioning mode so the blower didn’t kick in to cool the heating elements. And that was just the beginning. They refused to compensate us any for the HVAC system being destroyed two times. We were locked in contract with a 2000.00 early termination fee!! So they offer to reimburse us for the Nest thermostat. I removed it myself 'cause obviously I wasn’t waiting three weeks on a technician and letting my family do without. They said they would have a technician stop by and pick it up then cut us a check.

Two months later he came by and they credited our bill that surprisingly enough went up at the same time by 10.00 a month. Months later it went up again and then again. We were told they installed Nest cameras and come to find out they were ADT which means you can’t use them with any other software. When we moved we took our system to the new house. We called to have the address changed and they said we have to sign a new three year contract!!! Not to mention they drilled a hole thru my siding instead of using the wire penetration and grommet I had already installed for them prior to installation. And if that’s not enough they ran 60’ of wire across my siding leaving my security cameras vulnerable and my house looking terrible. I was extremely surprised to see that they ran out of wire and made a splice in the low voltage wire (generally not a problem) about two inches from the blow off on my propane regulator and tank!!!

Busted the corner on the siding, had two break ins that went unreported and horrible customer service. So in the end if you want to be scammed for money, your house burn or blow up due to poor electrical work, be disrespected on the phone and con into a contract that could potentially cost as much as 2000.00, or have your home invaded then they are the company for you. In my opinion, these people have no morals and no respect for their customers. They feel superior to the customer and operate as if they are above the law.

ADT response

Hello Daniel. This is not acceptable! Would you please email us your phone number and address where your system is located at AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we could better assist you? Thank you. -Mazen

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Had the ADT Pulse installed on Dec. 28, 2018. Dec 29, 2018, the system installer had to come back again because of notifications being received that "Front Door Camera battery low". 3 days later, at a time when one really needs to know who is at their front door {NIGHT TIME!!!} all I am getting is 'Connecting', 'Failed' 'Buffering' The picture freezes up, then... there is NO PICTURE AT ALL!!! I am starting to feel like this is just a rip-off, a waste of money, and having one trapped in a contract. I should have known something was fishy when they only give you 3 days to try out, instead of at least 30. They need to be sued.

ADT response

We apologize for any trouble you are having Carol. Please email us at AlwaysThere@adt.com with your account information and we'd be happy to assist with this concern. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Líes!!! We are still waiting to get our $206 refund... They promise so much and they do nothing they say! We canceled the alarm on the same day they installed it because it was not what they promised. They immediately charged two months ($98) to monitor an alarm they disabled right after our cancellation request. They have not shown up to collect their outdated equipment, honest to God, there is nothing “SMART” about this company, they are rather sneaky and dishonest... Don’t fall for their advertisements???

ADT response

Hello Liga. We apologize for your frustrating experience. Could you please verify the phone number and address for where the services are located, so we can assist further? Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

After spending six years as an ADT customer and paying full price for a small upgrade (with no contract extension) about a year before my move to another house, ADT contacted me to say it would cost $2,000 to switch to another home security company after my move. Ask them to show me the paper where I had agreed to something as crazy as that and they could not (because it doesn't exist)! After three phone calls confirming that I had not violated any kind of contract, they still randomly debited almost $2,000 from my checking account one day right after Christmas. They acknowledge it was a mistake but state that it will be at least two weeks before I get MY money back that they stole. No apologies. Don't EVER trust these people with your bank account. Put a stop payment on your autopay as soon as you end service because these people write their own narrative of reality.

ADT response

Hello Brigid-We apologize for any confusion with your account. If you'll please email us, we'll be happy to assist. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have no problem with system itself. System was installed on 10/25/18 and they are still overcharging after many calls to correct problem. System for 87 year old mother and had been very clear in what we wanted prior to installation. Installer tried to tell her he needed 1500.00 for equipment. As she was writing check I happened to call to see how things were going and preventing her from handing him the check. He was not happy I prevented transaction and proceeded to hand her small manual and said "here is the instructions... Read them."

I had specifically asked that they thoroughly explain and show her how to use the system and was assured that it would be done. I live 4 hours away and could not be there personally that day. He also installed unrequested equipment which another tech came 3 days later to uninstall, but still being charged because he forgot to have her sign new contract. Came back December 6 to have her sign... Still being charged. Totally unacceptable service.

ADT response

Hello Belinda. We apologize for you and your mothers experience with an authorized dealer, Defender Security. Also known as Protect Your Home. Defenders is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they offer their own promotions, install and sell their own alarm equipment and are not owned by ADT Corporate.

For these reasons, we would need to escalate your complaints through them, as they would be the party to resolve your concerns. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Stay away from this company! Don’t let them in your home. Bad experience. Sweet talker, will rip you off. Don’t sign anything until you see the promises in writing. Do not buy anything extra from them, take what you get for free.

ADT response

Hello Ifran- We have received your response on yelp and responded there, if you could please reach to us to further assist you. Thank you. - Jackie

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have been an ADT customer since I purchased my first home. I have to say I haven't had any problems until now... When I purchased my first home they came out on a Saturday and installed my system. And I never had a single issue. When I purchased my second home, same deal, they came out on a Saturday to install my new system. Today when my ADT Pulse system goes down all of a sudden they do not work past 5 and they do not work on weekends... So for anyone like me (an 8 am to 5 pm worker) you have to take off work for a tech to come fix your issue. I don't know about most people but I don't have the luxury to just take off work whenever. Sounds a bit fishy to me... They come and install your system, take all the upfront money they ask for, then you have an issue and they can't help you unless it is a benefit to them. At that point I canceled my ADT Pulse.

I still have my normal ADT monitoring but since I can't seem to get a tech to fix it when I'm off work it's no use to me and a waste of money. Then I got to thinking... What if my whole system goes down and I REALLY need a tech to come out when it's convenient to me... Still she says "no repairs after 5 and on weekends". I'm under contract until November of 2020. I asked the lady "what if I cancel with ADT and go with Xfinity because ADT can't service me on my time and Xfinity works weekends?" She informed me that I would have to pay 75% of what is due on my contract. I feel as if I have been used and cheated by a very well known company. I'm not sure that I will keep ADT for much longer. So be prepared before signing up with ADT. Again I have never had a problem but they are more than happy to take your money on a Saturday but they will not come fix a problem you are having.

ADT response

Hello Jeremy - We see that you have reached out on Facebook. We have responded to you there. Please reach back out to us via Facebook. Thank you. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

ADT sent a contractor named Defenders to install my system. This is my first security system. They charged me for each item they installed. Several days later I researched the cost of each item of equipment that was installed. They charged me from 300% - 400% over what I found the cost of the items they installed. Example they charged me 140.00 for each vanishing contacts which I found for 20.00. I contacted ADT and they said contact the contractor and work it out. The contractor ADT sent to my home.

ADT response

We have located your account and see that this sale and installation were performed by an independent ADT authorized dealer, Defender Security. Defender Security conducts it own sales and installations. We will be reaching out to them regarding this concern. Expected response time is 24-48 business hours. We appreciate your patience. If you have any concersn in the interim, please feel free to email ADT at AlwaysThere@adt.com. Thank you. -Gabe

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I got ADT for my parents as a gift because their car was stolen from their driveway. The guy who gave me the quote claimed he was building a security system that would fit their needs. He said I will put a 3 day hold on this so you can tell me in 3 days if you want it installed and if you are not satisfied with the product and we cannot fix it, ADT has a 60 day money back guarantee. So I agreed to have the system installed. However, we have only had the cameras for almost 3 weeks and they are completely useless. They record only 30 second segments and take 2 minutes to reset and we have had robberies in our neighborhood that our cameras could have caught had they been useful. I was never told they only record for 30 seconds.

We called to have someone come out to see if we can get The system we actually want and they told me I HAVE to pay for these useless cameras and new cameras if I wanted the proper system. Basically paying double for no reason since these cameras do not do what we want. I called customer service and they said ADT only has a 3 day return policy not 60. So while my family has no peace of mind when leaving the house ADT is lying to people and working to squeeze every penny out!! Absolutely ridiculous that money is more important than people’s safety! On top of that they have locked me into a 5 year contract with this useless security system. I will warn everyone I know to stay away from ADT. They are a money scam! If you are considering ADT, run as fast as you can!

ADT response

Hello Andrea-We apologize for any miscommunication regarding the camera functionality. Please email us so we may assist with a resolution. Thank you. -Gabe

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

When I initially signed up ADT sent out a crew of clowns who couldn't get the install right. Eventually ADT had to send out one of their actual employees. One time in five years the alarm went off and I actually spoke with someone, the ADT operator couldn't say "Colonial" the name of my street in English. I told him have the police respond. I waited an hour and nobody contacted me to inform me of the outcome. I called my local PD directly and they informed me all was well but the ADT operator couldn't speak English well enough to say my address. PD was able to respond by looking up my last name because I registered the alarm with my town.

Now the final insult. I've been trying to cancel my account since Dec 22. The lady who took my call was very pushy trying to get me to stay, offering free things, putting me on hold. Finally she agrees and tells me the service is canceled then hangs up on me. I had to call back to ask to have the panels removed. They then told me I would have to pay $154 per 30 minutes for a service call if I wanted the ADT tech to remove the panels. Obviously I didn't want to pay that so I removed them myself.

I got what I thought was my final bill and logged into myADT.com to confirm. Turns out they didn't schedule my cancelation until Jan 21. I called and they told me the contract says 30 days notice. Refused to allow me to speak to anyone else. Could not, would not offer a waiver even though they just tried to give me 2 months free. Mind you I've been a customer for over 5 years and paid on time everytime! Also, the contract specifies 30 day notice while in current billing period. The January billing period hasn't started! TL/DR: called ADT, they told me to ** myself!

ADT response

Hello John-We apologize for any trouble you have had cancelling your service. Please email us so we may review your account. Please include your account number and/or address. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

ADT ripped me off for over $400 in monthly fees over 8 months while my account was “out of service”. I had auto-pay via my credit union so they always got their money on time. It was only by fluke that I discovered they cancelled my account over 2 years ago! No notice. No consent. I talked to over a dozen reps, including a couple in “customer advocacy”. Not a single one of them did what they promised. Wouldn’t even return my calls. Over the course of 7-8 hours on the phone, no one took any responsibility. They just kept passing me from one person/department to another. One even screamed at me. Constantly interrupted me. Talk about unprofessional. I wouldn’t wish them on my worst enemy. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH ADT!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

My entire ADT experience has been a nightmare. I'll start at the beginning when I called after believing an ADT ad that promised protection for $27/month. The man on the phone said that I would be charged a $105 installation fee but if I didn't go through with the service then that would be refunded. A day later someone showed up, IMMEDIATELY put a hole in our wall to connect the main hub, and not until after an hour of messing with our wall and our outlet did he presume to explain to us that we would not be able to opt for the $27 plan, and that without a phone line we’d have to do a $52 plan.

On top of that, all our windows and doors weren’t even covered, and each little gadget per window cost an arm and a leg. We felt utterly scammed; tricked and pressured into paying way more than we thought we would. The man seemed like a professional, so we calming explained how we felt - he spoke to his supervisor and they worked with us a tiny bit on the price. This entire process took some time and we needed to leave for work, so the man reluctantly told us he would come back to finish installing, but he needs us to sign the contract that night. After work, we read over the contract (which did not even have our address spelled correctly) and we decided we really felt uncomfortable being bullied into this expensive plan.

We decided not to sign and request the installation fee back. Yes, now we have an inconvenient hole in our wall for nothing, but better than that going down this ADT rabbit hole. So we thought. Turns out, WITHOUT EVEN SIGNING THE CONTRACT, they started charging our credit card for a service they did not even complete! Nothing was installed except for the main hub, which to remind you is not connected to any other device or phone line or anything. IT'S USELESS. We have no security and no contract and still ADT was charging us a $52.00 monthly rate and the $105 installation fee.

We tried to get a hold of an ADT customer support person, and after being transferred from sales to customer service to who knows where an hour and a half later on this endless phone scam, someone finally said they'd “put in my request with a supervisor and be called back in a couple days.” Of course I was NEVER called back. I finally had to contact my credit card company to explain everything and THEY refunded me the money.

The entire ADT experience felt disgusting and phony. It was oddly convenient to be told a higher price after installing the main board. The installer never even contacted us or came back to try and finish the job they charged us for (even though we already tipped the gentleman because he seemed like a nice guy). At least we never signed a contract so they have nothing on us. NEVER SIGN ANY CONTRACT WITH ADT. We'd never go with ADT or recommend it to anyone!

ADT response

Hello Elise. We are sorry for your frustrating experience. The ad you mentioned was through an authorized dealer, Defender security. AKA Protect Your Home.

Protect Your Home is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they offer their own promotions, install and sell their own alarm equipment, and are not owned by ADT Corporate.

We will be forwarding your complaint to Defender's upper management but, should you need to reach out to them directly. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I called to cancel my service within 3 days and I was treated terribly. I was transferred 3x to land with a manager named James if that’s his real name. He eventually told me he was glad I was leaving as a customer because I wouldn’t agree to stay with them and he said he would have to charge me for the last contract I had canceled. This company overcharged every month with less services than competitors. I won’t ever come back. Senior leaders need to review the phone conversation and get rid of James.

ADT response

Hello Victoria. We apologize for your frustrating experience. Due to canceling your relocation of services, this does not void your previous contract. If you still have a contract term that is unfulfilled, you will be billed for 75% of the remaining contract term. Should you choose to relocate the services, your previous contract will be waived. Thank you. -Andrew

ADT expert review by Ben Mannes

Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

ADT Company Information