Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5
Based on 1,424 ratings submitted in the last year

ADT provides home security and alarm systems to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters with features like entry sensors, motion detection smoke alarms and leak detectors. The ADT customer monitoring centers deliver 24/7 security monitoring 365 days a year and are always on call to assist in emergencies. DIY and professionally installed systems available with state-of-the-art equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart home automation.

ADT Video

BOTTOM LINE

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. Some ADT products have relatively short battery lives, but the systems still provide strong options for protection.

PROS

• Variety of products
  • Theft protection guarantee
  • Reliable service

CONS

• Limited video capabilities

Top ADT Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

We have had an ADT system for 6+ years with no issues. ... The system worked ... in one case ADT called my cell phone, I gave the safe word and the alarm was turned off. In the other case adt couldn't reach me and the police were called.

I've had this service for a few years now and I don't have any major complaints. They do their job and they respond quick. This is the kind of service that you want to never have to need and luckily I've never had to …

What is ADT?

ADT is a security company that provides professional monitoring services for homes and commercial buildings across the United States. The company's home security features include 24/7 monitoring, infrared motion detectors, high-decibel alarm sirens, backup batteries, yard signs and window decals. An ADT security system requires a 36-month contract plan.

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can detect and report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular backup. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating coverage until the threat is over.

Users can arm their home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Go. ADT Go also features family location sharing, SOS emergency response and crash detection.

ADT uses Z-Wave technology to connect your smart devices, which allows you to control them seamlessly from the ADT mobile app. With ADT, your smartphone can lock doors, fine-tune lights, adjust thermostats, alert you to an open garage door and display video from your porch.

ADT price

The price of an ADT home security package ranges from $35.99 to $55.99 per month after a one-time $99 installation fee. Consumers can choose from several ADT home security systems packages, including:

• ADT Secure (around $36/month): This package provides the essentials to help homeowners and renters protect their homes. Features include security monitoring equipment, 24/7 alarm monitoring, professional installation and monitored fire, flood and carbon monoxide detection. Equipment includes a digital keypad, window sensors and a wireless keychain remote.
  • ADT Smart (around $44/month): This package includes everything in the ADT Secure plan plus smart home automation controls, customizable alerts and the ability to arm and disarm the system remotely.
  • ADT Complete (around $56/month: ADT Complete includes all the items in the ADT Smart package plus security cameras that live stream to mobile devices and can record and save video clips.

Termination fees apply for early cancellation.

ADT installation

Though do-it-yourself installation is an option, professional installation is faster and more efficient.

1. To prepare for your ADT alarm installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. In hardwired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors. Wireless home security systems are typically easier to install.
  3. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

The average professional ADT installation cost varies based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. A 90-day warranty is available following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: A solution to forgotten or mistaken codes, the ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Video doorbells: Video doorbells allow you to answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

How much does ADT cost per month?
ADT's most basic monitoring plan costs $36 per month, and its most premium package is about $56, not including installation. Monitoring requires a three-year contract, and termination fees apply for consumers who break their contracts.
Can I add cameras to my ADT system?
You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse with video capabilities. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.
How much does ADT cost with cameras?
Monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select, but cameras are $150 each.
Are ADT prices negotiable?
Customers can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long they have been active users. Customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.
What is ADT Pulse?
ADT Pulse is ADT's home and business automation monitoring system that allows customers to remotely arm and disarm their security systems, display video monitoring, control lights and thermostats, receive alerts and custom notifications and lock and unlock doors.
What does ADT stand for?
ADT stands for American District Telegraph.
Does ADT replace batteries?
ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps consumers find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.
Does ADT offer security cameras?
Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. The ADT Command system hosts up to eight wireless cameras that record up to 6,000 30-second clips each month. Consumers can view camera footage live if they want to check on their home or office.
Do I own my ADT equipment?
It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.
How long does an ADT backup battery last?
The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. Consumers should keep the backup battery charged to utilize it as a backup power source.
Do you need a landline for ADT?
ADT does not require a landline, but it is an option for consumers who want to use it.
Can I use my ADT equipment with another company?
Yes, some other companies reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before purchasing additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.

Is ADT worth it?

Yes, ADT is worth it. Consumers nationwide trust ADT, and it is an industry leader in security monitoring. ADT offers several products and solutions to protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and allows consumers to control everything from their mobile devices.

ADT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: July 2, 2020

ADT is well-known and after I talked with the first gal, I was told that she wasn't completely right about a lot of stuff and I didn't think she was. I even disagreed with her. She asked if I had landline here and I told her that I did but it was dead and not hooked up. She said that the system would work with it anyway but I told her that it was not possible. She was getting it confused with a wireless system but she was really sweet. Plus, she answered my questions. I told her that I didn't want a whole lot and I don't require a whole lot. I mainly wanted an alarm to sound when I'm gone. I also think that the signs will do their job more than anything around this area. I like my neighbors and they seem very nice. But I got the system to be sensible. And I don't want somebody who happen to be drunk to come into the wrong house because I’m going to get them.

The rep who came out was very nice as well. We didn't do a whole lot of going through stuff but he was here a while because I was trying to explain what I didn't want and I didn't want much of anything. I got bare-bones but the prices were outrageous. I've got two glass-breaking things, the stuff on the doors for opening and closing, to arm and disarm it, and the two doors going into the garage. Then the desktop thing but I haven't used it. I don't know if they got notified but it's never been turned on.

The guy that put the system was very nice, too. I thought of a lot of things after he left and there was nothing about that situation, other than the fact that I've never had a security system before. But I'm in an area where there are a lot of sirens going off, which I'm not used to. Then at some point when we get done with the house, I'm gonna be taking trips and I don't wanna have to worry about my house being robbed. I also love the ADT signs and the stickers.

Initially, I had a $2500 system here and I didn't like it. It needed a landline and AT&T screwed me over. They were gonna do voice over internet and it wouldn't work with the system. So, I fired AT&T because they're idiots. I called them four different times and told them that I needed a landline. Then, the guy showed up a month later and said he was putting in a voice over internet. But I told him that he wasn't and that I gave them four times to do it. I also told him that they hire people that have really low IQ or are not listening. It also seems like so many companies don't want to ever be contacted by the customers. We pay them money, but they never wanna speak with us in person. So, they make it really difficult. I spent oodles and oodles of time on hold trying to get through to anybody.

Other than that, I am concerned that if I leave and the dogs are here, then I arm the system and something goes wrong, it's gonna kill my dogs. It's gonna drive their ears nuts, so I won't do that with them here. If I go on vacation, that'd be the only time that I use the system. I go down to Oakland because we're selling a house down there. I stay sometimes for four days and I'll arm the system then. But there won't be any animals in the house. Aside from that, there are no motion sensors, so I don't have to worry about that.

I also have a manual fire thing, the panic button, and the two little key fobs. I was told by their rep that for my benefit, it's just the walk-in doors in the garage and not the garage doors that will set that off. Then, I contacted the city and I paid for a permit. They sent me a code that has to be used for the police if they show up and I've got so many times that I can use it before they start charging me for bad calls. But I still don't know what will happen if I'm away and the alarm goes off.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: June 17, 2020

People used to try to get in my house, and the alarm will go off, but it would take the sheriff so long to get out here. It would take the home security people I was with so long before they would call me, so I didn't have a good experience with them. Also, the bill I had went up to $469 and some change and I couldn't afford that. ADT talked nice to me and assured me that my bill would stay the same if I went with them, so I did. Plus, it was a little cheaper for me.

Yesterday, I was cooking my supper and when I lay down, I went to sleep. That’s something I don’t usually do, but I have not been sleeping too good until Steve came out here because they had to put my new alarm system in a week ago. I stayed so sleepy because I didn't sleep good at night and when I woke up, I realized I forgot my food. It shocked me because I was smelling all at the same time and ADT was there on point before I could get to the kitchen. I have never had anybody respond that quick. At the time I could get in the kitchen, the signal went off. My phone rung immediately and everything shipwrecked down. I was putting the fire out all at the same time and they wanted to know if I was okay. I told them yes and that my pot caught on fire, but it was out when I answered.

The lady wanted to know if I wanted the fire department to come out and I told her, no, that I just needed to open up the doors. I was doing that while we were on the phone and I turned my ceiling fans on. When the smoke went out, the system went off. All in all, my alarm system is good, but I’m waiting for them to come in. They said from 8:00 this morning till 11:00 because it takes four hours, but nobody has come. They were supposed to come today to hook up my internet and my Wi-Fi, and they were going to put a satellite outside the house so that I will have all of that.

With the system that I’m getting, I can get cameras too. I want that because I live by myself, and I’m 72 years old. They said that my cable company was supposed to come, but the cable company called me on Sunday evening. They said they got everything set and I’m good to go, but I don’t have a code number so I don’t see how everything is good to go. They cancelled the appointment and when I got my letter from AT&T, Saturday, I was thinking that they were going to do everything. Still, I will recommend the system to anybody and I already started doing that. A lot of my godchildren live alone and they are with the same company that I was with and they would keep going up every month with them as well.

I’ve been telling my godchildren about what I got and I told them that they don’t have to get all that I got. I was telling them that when I first got in a place of my own, I could leave my front door open and my window raised all night and sleep and nobody would try to come in. I told them that now, you can’t leave your doors unlocked or your car unlocked. Somebody always tries to come in on you. I feel unsafe. Nowadays, you just don’t feel safe anymore like you used to. I’m not a scary person, but I want to be conscious of what's around me. I feel safer now than I have in a long time and I’m satisfied with the system as long as I know I’m going to be safe.

Original review: June 14, 2020

There was ADT here before we moved in. We called up because we really needed it to keep our grandson from falling because we have a pool in the back. I was putting alarms on the doors so we'd know when he went in and out. Our grandson is getting older now that we kind of watch him. But we don't set the system often because we don't have a lot of problems here compared to some areas. My husband's been turning it on but we don't do that a lot. He has trouble getting the thing to work right. It's just one more too many things.

Switching over, I pretty much had to change it all because it was a very old system. When the wireless one was done, I told the guy I had a problem with that. But I already said that and he did not tell me the cost of doing it wirelessly. I already had it set up here with wires and I didn't need to go wireless. There wasn't any reason to do that other than the fact that the guy made a lot more commission on it. I then had a bigger charge every month after it started running. I had the guy take it and go back to the wired system which is fine. It’s through the phone lines because we still have them. That's how the system is still working. I figured most thieves today don't even what the phone lines are. It may have been a problem in the past. But wireless is more of a problem like getting interference and getting blocked.

Thieves understand to go to your router. It's easier than they understand, “I gotta cut the wires.” Today, young thieves don't know anything about old phones. I didn't worry too much about it and we weren't doing it because we had any break-ins. We were doing it initially to make sure we could tell when my grandson would leave the house and go into the backyard. We were trying to keep track of it.

We go to Florida once in a while but I haven’t gotten our watcher, John, to turn the system on even when we’re down there. We’re gone a lot and we have a lot of neighbors close by. They're here all winter and they keep an eye on things. Also, John comes in here and brings our mail in. The system is something he has to turn off. He would have to change the code once in a while but he didn’t do it. He didn’t wanna mess with it although I think he should. We can do it but I’ve got too many things on my mind to be able to keep track of this right now. I keep telling John that he really needs to keep remembering how to do it. He has to look it up to remember how to set it up again, make sure the code’s in there, and make sure he knows the code. I said, “We need to change the codes when we go to Florida and have the guy that comes in, so he knows what the code is.” I didn’t get him to do it last year.

Other than that, our system should work just fine. We haven't had any issues. If we have some break-ins in the neighborhood, my husband would start using it because he can do it. He didn't set it up but it’s there. We will set it up if we have to and make sure it’s working well. We set it up the other night when we went to a funeral. My husband said it was the time we really needed to put the system on. The system is a little more than I wanna figure out to do right now. But I don't think it's that complicated. It just is for me right at the moment.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I had used ADT about 15 years ago when we lived in Alabama and then we moved. We’ve moved around and then, recently, we purchased a house that had it and I didn’t activate it. In the process of trying to figure out which system I wanted to got to, I researched SimpliSafe and I knew about ADT and I would add something. I didn’t have a whole lot of information that made me feel secure going with something like SimpliSafe because from what I understand, you can simply unplug it and the system goes down, which is what I didn’t want to happen. I went back to ADT and at the time I was doing the research, I got a flyer in the mail and so I went with that and called.

The lady was very helpful and she explained a lot. She told me about the flyer promotion that I got and if the system was still a valid system in the home, we can have all these additional credits and things for additional pieces of equipment. They were very thorough. At the time it was all happening during COVID and we had been exposed so I wasn’t letting anybody in the house. She gave me a reference number to call back when things were ready, which I did. But before I could call back, I kept getting these phone calls saying they were calling to install our system. I hadn’t agreed to anything just yet and the guy was supposed to come out, show me the equipment, check my system, tell me what my pricing would be, and then I’d go forward. I was a little confused by that.

I called and gave my reference number. The lady that answered was very helpful. She said she doesn’t know why they said they were installing but they were just gonna come out and tell us everything. So we scheduled the time and the gentleman came out. He came out with the impression that he was installing that day, so certain information was not relayed down to him. But he walked through everything and ultimately we went with the system and he put it in that day. A lot more than what he intended because we pretty much put the window sensors in every window in our house plus all doors. It was a lengthy installation, to say the least, because the system was outdated.

He was counting everything and I specifically asked if he got all the doors, to which he said yes. But my front porch has two front doors, one in the front and one kinda on the side of the porch like a side entry, and I touched it and asked if he got that door. He said yes but when he got everything installed and was asking to walk us through everything, I looked up and I said I didn't see a door sensor on that one. He had it on my garage door. And he said he didn’t think I wanted one on that one since we keep that one locked. We put sensors on all the other doors that were external doors, why would I not want it on that one? But he couldn’t just add one because it had already been processed and paid. I said if he could take off the one on the garage door because I have the garage and then the door into the house, so if I got to choose between the two, let’s put it in the most external door. So he took it off, he changed it.

I didn’t think too much about it and he said he would just add another one to the garage door later. Over the last week or so that I’ve had it, we set the alarm, we leave, and we come back in. And it’s a new thing for us, so sometimes I forget that it is on. But I come in and do all kinds of stuff. Then, I realize I didn't turn the alarm off and I go back in there and it’s still armed. It bothered me that I was all the way to where the recliner and the couch is and there’s a motion sensor right there and nothing happened. We're gonna call the tech back and tell him something’s not right. For me to get that far into the house and nothing goes off is a little scary to me.

The ultimate point was we protected everything so that people wouldn’t get in if they tried a window or a door. We even got the little vibration thing on the window and we’ve got glass breaks. If they got in, the motion sensor would catch it. But I don’t know if it’s working or not and I didn’t really want to open the front door and make it alarm, because we set it to where it would dispatch police before the contact me. I’m a little leery to open the door and make it go off. Other than that, it’s fine. I had it before and I know it works.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

The ADT rep on the phone was good but the installer had a hard time in solving the home keypad thing. So he put several holes in my wall. He was there for a long time and I don't know if he didn't understand or didn't know the details about the ADT security system that he couldn't inform me. I got window guards or the chimes that are on the windows and doors. He didn't explain the different modes it has. Also, he didn’t have a mask when he came to my house.

ADT response

Hello Melissa. We apologize to learn of your experience. We have escalated your concerns to your installing company ADT North and have requested they contact you directly. Thank you, Carla

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I have been a customer of ADT for about 6 years. During the time of having ADT I had a lot of problems with my system being out or my sensors not working poorly. Many times we would open the back door forgetting that the alarm was set but it didn't matter because the alarm wouldn't even go off. The part that made me decide to write a bad review was the type of service I received when I canceled my service due to moving out of the country on military orders. I was first given the wrong information about how to cancel my service and when I was finally contacted by someone over email they drug their feet on getting back to my by 2 weeks and then said my cancellation date would not start until they had decided it should be cancelled not by the day I first contacted them by email.

ADT response

Hello Erica- Thank you for being a member of the ADT family for 6 years. We are sorry to hear of the experience that you've had when attempting to cancel your services. Thank you for your services to our country. We will review your experience and take the opportunity to improve.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

Was not fully explained started installing the equipment into my house before I have even agreed to anything. The representative said I had to pay this much on the day of installation after he had already installed it and I said, "No I don't want to do this," and he's simple, "I've already installed the equipment so this is a contract. You're stuck in it." Just very dissatisfied and I want out of this contract not only that but I was supposed to receive $100 Visa gift card that I have never received. This is a scam and they suckered me into it.

ADT response

Hello Twila- Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We are so sorry to hear about the experience that you have had. You have previously reached out to us and we did attempt to follow up with you unsuccessfully. Please reach out to us at 1-217-805-3737 for assistance. Have a great day!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

When I switched over to DirecTV, I was told about ADT. The technicians installed it and they were very professional. I’m getting used to the system. It doesn’t do a lot but it’s okay. ADT hasn’t sent me my gift card yet so, I need to call them and tell them that.

ADT response

Hello Sheena! Thank you for choosing ADT to protect your home! We are so sorry to hear that you have not received the gift card offered yet. Please check your email for the instructions on how to start the redemption process. If you have not received the email or need any assistance, please reach out to us at your convenience at 1-800-238-2727.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I got the system installed on September the 10th and everything is working besides the camera. I got internet but he hasn’t been out here yet. The guy was supposed to come out. I called him and he said he was coming. Then he called me back and said he wasn’t allowed out and asked when my next available day would be. I told him the next day and I haven't heard from him since then. I wasn't gonna go with ADT. I wanted to start just installing my cameras and then, I let the guy talk me in to it. I am dissatisfied. I'm looking for a discount or I will be canceling my service.

ADT response

Hello Gregory- Thank you for choosing ADT to protect your home. We are so sorry to hear that your cameras are not working and that your tech has not assisted with making sure you are taken care of. We have reached out to ADT North on your behalf for assistance with helping you. Please allow up to 24-48 business hours for us to follow up with you.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I scheduled a installation of camera, ring and motion sensors, when the technician arrived 6 hours late, he complained about the time needed to do the job. He called multiple people complaining about his time getting off. He also left without allowing me to reschedule. I've called the office multiple times and keep receiving the run around. No one returns my called or emails. I've been a customer with this company for over 15 years.

ADT Company Information