Get a Quote

4.3/5 (891 ratings)

About ADT

ADT provides home security and alarm systems with features like entry sensors, motion detection, smoke alarms and leak detectors to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart-home automation.

Pros

• Variety of products
  • Reliable service
  • Smart-home connectivity
  • Six-month money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited video capabilities
  • Installation cost

Bottom Line

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart-home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. With ADT Pulse, the system can be connected to Amazon Alexa and your smart-home devices.

Top ADT Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

ADT's customer service is great. My understanding of what I was getting was awesome. I like the security of knowing my house and personal belongings are protected. Also, the addit...

Verified

… Having the system makes me feel more secure in my own home because you don't know what's going to happen. I like it good and I'm happy with ADT. The cameras were not in the pack...

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular connection. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating a response until the threat is over.

You can arm ADT home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Control. ADT Control gives you instant alerts of activity, access to live video footage and control over your entire system, including smart locks, smart lighting, climate control and your security devices.

With the ADT SoSecure app, users can alert family or friends of their location or send an SOS for emergency response.

Monitoring requires a three-year agreement, and termination fees apply for breaking a contract.

If you like the idea of professional monitoring but don’t want to sign a contract, check out Blue by ADT, a DIY option.

ADT prices

Monthly costs for ADT home security packages range from $28.99 per month to $57.99 per month. Equipment costs range from $599 to $1,049. If you don’t want to pay upfront, financing costs from $9.98 to $17.48 per month for 60 months. Installation fees range from $99 to $199.

You can choose from several ADT home security system packages, including:

• Essentials: For around $36 per month, you get three window and door sensors, an infrared motion detector and 24/7 professional alarm monitoring.
  • Total Protection: For around $44 per month, you get everything included in the Essentials package plus Safewatch Cellguard, which lets you connect the system through a landline.
  • Premium Protection: For about $56 a month, you receive everything in the other packages plus ADT Pulse, which includes home automation. You can monitor and manage the system and smart devices through the app.

For more, see how costs compare for ADT vs. Vector, ADT vs. Xfinity, ADT vs. Cove and ADT vs. Guardian Protection.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular home security equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: The ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that help reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Video doorbells: Video doorbells allow you to answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

ADT offers quick, professional installation to ensure your equipment is set up properly. Depending on the size of your home, it could take less than an hour. Larger homes could take a little longer. Here’s what you can expect from the installation process:
  1. To prepare for your ADT home security installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. For hard-wired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors.
  3. The technician will walk you through how to use your ADT home security system so you’re confident you’re using everything correctly.
  4. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

Professional ADT installation costs start at $99 and vary based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. ADT offers a 90-day warranty following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. You can view camera footage live if you want to check on your home or office.

You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Pulse. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.

Video monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select.

ADT’s security cameras can record continuously or only when they detect motion.
Sometimes. You can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long you’ve been an active user. For example, customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.
Yes, ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps you find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.
It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.
The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. You should keep the backup battery charged in case you need it as a power source.
ADT systems can work with or without a landline.
Maybe. Some other home security companies can reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before you purchase additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.
ADT contracts are typically 36 months for the monitoring agreement and 60 months for financing equipment.

Is ADT worth it?

We think ADT is worth considering if you want a professionally monitored home security system. People nationwide trust ADT, and it's an industry leader in security monitoring.

ADT offers several products and solutions to help protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and lets you control everything from your mobile device. Plus, the technology connects with smart-home devices for convenient automation. For more, see how ADT compares against our top picks for smart home security systems.

ADT Medical Alert is also available for older adults who want to feel safer at home and worry about falling or medical emergencies.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I liked how promptly and quickly ADT came to my mom's house. They had a technician in our area. So he came and sized it up. He made sure of what we needed and it all got installed. It was very easy. She’s using the keychain idea to arm and disarm the system. I like that too. Recently, I put in a system for my mom and the salesman was very kind. The first installer came out Tuesday but the window glass things did not work. Then another person came out and he installed two that did work. Early on, I told ADT that when the alarm goes off, I want my system to call the police first and not me. But when I called the 1-800 ADT number yesterday, the lady said, “Well, no, we've got your phone.” She had a hard time understanding what I wanted to do. I said, “Ma'am, all I want to do is that if that alarm goes off at my mother's, I want the police to be summoned first. And then, you call me. And then, if you want to call my mom as a third contact, that's fine.”

Overall, I like ADT. We've had the service for 25 years. The batteries are fairly easy. The hardest thing is that the system that I have in my house is an older system. I've got kind of the older and newer motion detectors. The older one is a little more finicky, trying to take it apart. But the newer ones are a lot easier. The batteries last a long time. I'm the happiest when I know that when I leave the house and if something happens, somebody is coming. I had accidentally set my alarm off and the police came. I forgot to get a hammer and then I went downstairs and raised the garage door. Then there was a high-pitch sound and I realized the alarm was on. Before I knew it, the police were here.

The reps at ADT are very professional. They listen to my needs. The last technician that came to take care of the glass breakers in my mom's house, I asked him a couple of scenarios there. He said, “Well, that's a good point.” He said, “Let's do this. Let's put one thing there, like a glass breaker, we'll put a motion sensor here. And that way, it's got your mom covered on that back-end of the house.” I told him I liked that. I've recommended ADT over the years to several people. There's a lot of outfits out there, but we’ve been happy with ADT. They're nice and neat. I like how they matched the color. Like we got white trim and they got white, and they also got brown if you got wood. That's a nice thing to have. They're not noticeable, so I like that. All is good as long as it works. So being concealable is great.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I wanted ADT. When I had called PECO to switch over my electric to my new house, they transferred me to a moving service. They said it was supposed to be a centralized system to help you find movers. They could access Wi-Fi. It seemed like a know-it-all center. Somehow after that, they transferred me to Protect Your Home. I didn’t even realize I was talking to them then I got it set up. It was pretty easy.

I was really committed to getting a system. The reps were okay but I was pretty disappointed at the clarity of everything. They kept making it this huge deal where I would be getting $1,300 in equipment. The prices online were not fairly represented and the sales rep didn't represent the cost on installment day. He said, “We're gonna charge your card $100 right now. And if you like it, that's it. If you don't like it, you can send the guy away. We’ll leave as friends. We'll refund your card $100.” He didn't mention that it was gonna be another $3,000 to install the equipment. There were a lot of pre-work that the sales rep should have done. There should have been some prices provided beforehand.

When our installer came out, he tried giving us $4,000 worth of equipment. $1,300 credit really isn't worth much when it's $4,000. We still got to pull $3,000 out of pocket. It wasn't communicated that there was gonna be such an upfront fee especially when they made such a big deal out of having so much money off. We were very surprised. It was funny too. I had already been looking at the sensors because I was curious about what they look like. I did my research. The prices were not disclosed. XFINITY would say, “It’d be $600.” Ring’s security system said, “The upfront cost is $200.” ADT just said, “Zero upfront costs.” So hearing it was going to be $4,000, I was like “Yo, hold on a minute.” But ADT was very transparent about being in a contract for 36 months, which I was fine with.

There were also a lot of things in there that we didn’t need. I didn't need fire or three more carbon monoxide and smoke detectors because I already had those in the house. I didn’t need all the indoor cameras. We cut some of the things out. I do not need a front and back door sign. The system itself is loud enough. In the end, the price eventually came down.

This situation was 1,000% the sales rep’s fault for not clearly communicating and also ADT’s fault for not actually putting on the website what the actual cost of the items were going to be. What I went with cost me $600 to $1,700 even after that so-called $1300 equipment cost. We pulled $17,000 out of our savings account for settlement day two weeks ago. $1,700 is kind of a lot of money. Other people would have been more pissed off for the company not being upfront. Some people who maybe didn't have the resources would have definitely sent some away, not having known the upfront cost of the system. The company seriously needs to be transparent with upfront costs.

We're also having a problem with the cameras for whatever reason. The installer had been back three times and was not able to get them hooked up. I was a little surprised. There are also some feedback to the operations team. I'm an operations manager for hotels. I understand problems happen. But if they have an appointment, they need to be very transparent about that. They said it was between 2:00 and 4:00. The sales rep did not tell me that it was going to take eight hours to install. My appointment was between 2:00 and 4:00 PM.

The installer did not show up until 4:30 and he left a little after 11:00. We weren't even moving into the house yet. There was no Wi-Fi and there was no bed. I was not sleeping there. I had work the next day at 6:00 AM. It was 11 PM and the installer hadn't even activated the outdoor cameras. That was crazy. He was going to install another indoor camera. But I said, “Eighty-six the indoor camera. I actually don't want it after all. Come back and hook up the outdoor cameras when we get Wi-Fi.” I'm overall satisfied with the equipment. It's good and our installer was awesome. I'm still very happy with the end goal but it was was the most transparent experience. And I was exhausted. It was a long day.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

We've only had the ADT system for a couple of days, and we’re adjusting and see what it's going to be like. It’s vastly different than what we've had before. Some of the things, we are still experimenting with them to see. And one of them is we have questions and the technician will be out in, hopefully, another time to go through it. We ran into some things that we didn't expect.

In talking to the person on the phone about the system, I was told that someone would come out and tell me specifically what happened. But a person showed up in my house with things to install the system in my house. He was assuming that the system was sold to us already. We were assuming that the person was coming to tell us about the system. You don't show up at someone's house with your equipment to install in their house. That needs to be perfectly clear upfront with the person before you have met. Fortunately, we were able to talk and we decided to install the system. If it had not been for the technician, we would have told him to leave. But he was a good person and he did a good job.

Upon installing the system, the camera that we have on the garage and the volume for the sound for it, we can barely hear it when we do that. Then the additional thing that we found that since we wanted two cameras, it would cause our internet to go up. So I’m now waiting for the phone company to bring me a new router and increase my upload speed tremendously. Then when we turn the panel that's in the kitchen on, we don't quite understand what the red light and green lights are. We haven't been able to find an answer in the literature we've gone through. So I assume it takes us a few days to determine whether or not this system is going to be something that will wow us.

The initial contact needs to be seamless. You need to really say that this is what you're getting here and not have those questions later. ADT should also evaluate people that are buying cameras. They should evaluate the internet experience and say that upfront before you get to the point where you put it down on paper. It's a considerable expense to update the internet you’re having. When we had it, it was going to end up adding about $30 to my internet cost per month. By the time I put that into the formula, the 60 I'd be paying for the security system and add another 32 would far exceed what I was paying before.

One of the things that need to be included in the presentations especially if people start to talk about cameras and they have internet service. My service has an upload one and a download one. The upload on my service is 4.7, where you should buy a camera that's going to require two-point something of upload capacity even to operate. But we were gonna buy two cameras and to do that, it would take all the capacity for my internet. With what I do at home with my internet, I can't have it down because of cameras. So I called the telephone company to find out what it would cost and their rep started to quote numbers to me and I was blown away. But the person put most of the system in the house already when I found out that it was going to be an additional cost. So I was not gonna have him take the equipment out and leave. But it was not something that made me feel really good about it. I come close to feel like I have been taken advantage of there.

ADT response

Jimmie, Thank you for reaching out to us ! We do apologize that this happened and we will definitely look into this on our end. Thank you for joining the ADT family.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

When I moved into this house two years ago, they had ADT, so I took it over. But I needed to add some cameras to my system. So I bought a whole new system, upgraded everything, and got my cameras, and signed another contract with them for three years. I like ADT. They're a good company and they give me good service. I was happy with their system. It’s very easy to use. My wife knows how to use it and it’s very good and the new system is even better.

When I first initiated the call with ADT to have a couple of cameras ordered and put on my account, they said that they didn't sell the merchandise. So I asked who did and they said that it was my security company. They said that they were just doing the monitoring and my security company was another company. They gave me the name of the company and I called them. But they said that they sold the contract with ADT two years ago. So I was back to square one again with ADT.

When I initiated the second call with ADT, I told them that all I wanted was to add some cameras on here. I got quoted three different prices from three different people with three different programs, and none of which I was interested in because they were five and six-year contracts. That was just ludicrous. I felt like I got shuffled around. Some of the times, I got hung up on. I'd call back and get hung up on again. That was bad customer service as far as I was concerned. ADT really needs to be persistent in the fact that they know who they're talking to and what kind of deal are they getting thrown at them. I just gave up on ADT.

I was pretty much sold on this other company and I had already lined up an installation date with them. But again, they had a five-year contract. So, I went back to ADT and told them that I wanted to stay with them but told them what my problem was. So the young lady I talked to gave me the best deal possible. She was very nice and set me up with everything. We went through the whole program, told me exactly what it was, how many years I was on the hook for, and everything was nice and done with.

We lined up the installation and then the guy came out, did an excellent job of putting everything in. But there's one camera that is not in the right angle. I can see people coming up to my door and their backs, but I can't see who it is. So, we have to move that and they're coming out on the 11th of March, which I can't understand why it's being so long in between there that we're gonna have to have that done. But I'm willing to wait if I have to. I would have liked to get it done sooner, but I don't know if that's possible.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I was sold to ADT because of its lack of need for Wi-Fi as the interface. To me, it's still not a very secure system going over the internet. A gentleman came and he was extremely professional. He explained everything and he worked with us. When we hit a little bit of a snare, he got it squared away. He got his supervisor or manager on the phone to alleviate some of the confusion.

When I initially called ADT to get a quote of what the cost would be, I discussed what I was looking for exactly, which windows I needed, and which doors I needed. I also mentioned the need for smoke alarms. At the end of the conversation, I was told the price that I was gonna pay per month and what we would get. But when I got on the phone, the rep said, "Usually, the smoke alarms aren't part of the package but let me see what I can do for you." He got his manager on the phone then they told me, "We wanna make sure that we hook you up, so we'll make sure we get those smoke alarms for you installed as well."

I told the guy that came out to install that I was not looking for handouts nor was I expecting free equipment. There was no need for the manager to get on the phone and be like, "We're hooking you up for when the guy came to install everything." It turns out I'm paying for it anyway because then I was completely oblivious to what it was gonna cost me. The guy did the install. Prior to that, he had just installed the actual panel itself before he got into everything with the doors and the windows and smoke alarms. He said it was gonna be $1,800 that I can do in four easy payments. I was like, "What do you mean?" I had to pay four payments of 450. It just hit me like, "Where did these fees come from?"

If I had any complaint, it was with regard to the initial conversation I had with ADT reps as far as what kind of package I was getting with what I was paying monthly and to what I actually got on the install. In the end, it wasn't something that completely deterred me from ADT although I was a little upset and disheartened. I felt misled. But we still went through with all the windows and door protection. As for the smoke alarms, I bought my own. I'm still happy to have my home protected. But there should be better communication from the representative about what you're actually getting. Other than that, I'd still recommend ADT to other people.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

ADT IS THE WORST SECURITY SERVICE! This should be illegal the way they are taking advantage. I just need a security system that actually works! I have people kicking my door at 4am-and the cameras did not record. I have people walking up to my porch and stealing things-and they only recorded for 30 seconds showing someone walk up, but stopped recording when they grabbed my property and left with it. I have people entering my home and the system does not even pick it up let alone did not notify me. I am a single mother of 2 small children and this is UNACCEPTABLE! I have been going round and round with ADT and their piss poor customer service.

I've been promised a branch manager (who has authority to cancel account and waive cancelation fees) would contact me within 48hrs, and they never do! I have been promised an account manager would reach out to me within a week, and they never did. I have done everything in my power to try and make the cameras and system work but ADT is still incompetent of providing the service it sold me and they refuse to waive the cancelation fee of nearly $700!

I have been an on time, loyal, paying customer. I am not trying to get a discount or an upgrade, I am mentally exhausted and sick of going back and forth trying to get someone with authority to help me resolve this issue and cancel my services without charging me for their incompetence. This is a matter of my safety and security for me and my two children! If something were to happen because ADT did not provide the security I pay for, would my family even get a "Sorry"?! I need someone to help me resolve this immediately! So I can happily pay another company to do a better job!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I purposely asked the ADT representative before agreeing to service about any contract. Two different representatives stated "no" and added I can cancel at any time; my only responsibility would be for the equipment. They do not divulge upon agreeing to get service that you are agreeing to a 6-year contract. It is only mentioned when you attempt to cancel monitoring at which point you have to pay the full amount of your monitoring service for 6 years (in my case $2500). This information when I asked would have been helpful. I later found out from an ADT staff that ADT changed their contract from 3 years to 6 years and purposely leave this information out. This information is on page 9 of a 10-page agreement (that was sent to me after I attempted to cancel service).

There is other information in this 10-page document that states you have 3 days to cancel from the time you agree to service...NOT after you've had the equipment installed. I had multiple problems with installation, wrong equipment, multiple visits, and having to pay an electrician to fix the ADT doorbell. I found their dishonesty appalling and would NEVER recommend or use them for home monitoring. So, if you are planning on getting home security with ADT please BEWARE...of their dishonesty. I attached pictures of the flimsy work done on the equipment. As a result, my control panel and the camera have lost power on multiple occasions.

ADT response

Hello Sharda- We believe in being transparent, that is why the length of the contract and penalty for premature cancellation is in bold font on the first page of all of our agreements. The terms of the agreement are fully disclosed. By signing, you are acknowledging that you have read and understand the presented terms, and accept them.

Furthermore, ADT does have a relocation policy in place, so if you only needed services for one year at this address, we would have been able to help you with relocating to another address without any contractual penalties.

This is not to say that ADT does not sympathize with your current situation, as we do. ADT automatically discounts the cost of premature cancellation by 25% on all residential accounts. This is a courtesy that you are contractually guaranteed.

- Mazen

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

Do not go with ADT. Their customer service sucks and they will pass you along on a call like a cheap **. They won't fix your problem when you're paying all this money for their equipment and they won't send anyone out any time soon. So here's to hoping you don't actually need a security system and just some fancy decorations sitting in various places around your house. Because it won't do ** where you need it to.

ADT response

Hello Brooke- We do apologize to learn of this upsetting issue with your services. We would be happy to review your concerns with your scheduled service appointment with you further if you could please email our team directly at alwaysthere@adt.com along with more details in regard to your concerns with the system and the full address in which the services are located. ~ Thank you

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

Worst company ever. If I could give ADT 0 star I will. Horrible customer service and communication. With the cellular light on main box being red for a couple months, ADT did nothing but kept telling me my system is communicating with them without any issue. Sent me a CellBridge box to ensure the signal transfer from 3G to 4G, really a piece of junk as the 3G and 4G lights on this box are RED all the time. Moreover the CellBridge box beeps every 4 hours and I have to wake up to silence it in the midnight. Called them and rep April told me my system stopped communicating with them after 12/12 and I got ZERO notification from ADT telling me about this.

It's impossible to speak with a manager as they will keep telling you there is no manager available and they will call you back in 24 hours. Scheduled an appointment that is in 12 days and let you know there will be no sooner appointment. ADT Pulse app also stopped working, no activity can be seen from the app. Called them THOUSANDS times got transferred all around they are unable to fix just a simple app issue. Each rep who answered the call will tell you a different story and sounds like they are just here to finish their shifts, no one is willing to talk to you positively to get your problem resolved. If my system has stopped sending signal to them as their rep said and there is no communication at all, also I will not be able to see any activity from the app, what's the point for me to pay them every month? Are they protecting my home? ADT absolutely should be SHUT DOWN on this market.

ADT response

Hello Helen- Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and for letting us know about the experience that you had. We appreciate your feedback. We do see that you have an appointment set up with us and we will surely make sure that you are taken care of.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

After 2 years it decided we used too much data within a month and quit recording at the end of November (never had a max). So it reset on Dec 1st and didn't record someone robbing us but actually recorded the animals. At this point I had them out there twice. They said we will reset the system. Waste of money if it doesn't work when needed and making all the trips to wait on their techs. Horrible customer service then they want to charge me for cancellation.

ADT response

Hello Amy. We are very sorry for the frustrating experiences. Please give us a call at 1-800-238-2727 so we can address any claim for damages as a result of the break in that take place. ADT does have a theft protection service that's available. We can also arrange a service visit to address any camera issues as we see the most recent service visit from a local tech was on 11/16.

ADT Company Information