Call toll free
4.30/5
Based on 1,905 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

7722 ADT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We are 20+ years loyal ADT customers. As veterans, my husband and I felt extremely comfortable leaving the country knowing our family's home security was being monitored by ADT while we were deployed. However, since our new home install in 2013, we have had nothing but issues; false alarms, unreliable alarm settings, unprompted notifications from the keypad, etc. We've made numerous calls, paid for upgrades, and had techs come to the house for troubleshooting with no resolution.

After an unsettling occurrence, we decided to cancel the service and we are now being told we have to pay a cancellation fee (~$500.00). This cancellation is due solely to the frustration and lack of security we feel with the way the system was operating (which your technicians could NOT fix). I'm utterly shocked at the position ADT has taken on this matter. The customer service reps could see in the system how many times we've called or had someone 'look into this issue'. The only resolution was to offer us a discount, lower our bill and send yet another technician out. However, a lower bill is NOT a substitute for my peace of mind and my family's security. ADT, I am truly disappointed by your approach, I guess I thought you believed in the product/service you provided, not just the dollars.

ADT response

Hello Coretta. Thank you for your service. We are sorry for this frustrating experience and would like to look into your concerns further. May we please verify the phone number and address for where the service is located. Thank you. -Andrew

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have tried to resolve my issues through customer service. No luck. I was quoted that my monthly bill would be 29.99 per month. It turns out that because I received cameras and access to ADT PULSE my monthly bill is $70 per month. HUGE difference and ADT was unwilling to do anything about it except to come and uninstall my equipment. I should have been told this information from the beginning. I was also told that if I paid the $105 installation fee that I would receive a $100 gift card in the mail. After a few months I called in to see why I haven't received it.

It was never added to my account and there is a special website that you have to go to, print out a certificate, get a money order and mail it all in (within 30 days of installation). NEVER received any of that info. I am told that they have made an adjustment and if I mail it in that I will still be able to receive it. I have my doubts at this point. So disappointed with my customer experience thus far. Had I known this would be my experience I would have chosen a local company and not a big name. I thought by working with ADT I would be given accurate and truthful information. I was wrong. I just sat on hold for an hour with customer service and still could not speak to a manager.

ADT response

Hello Mollie-We apologize for any sub-standard experience that you have had. May we please ask you to email your account information to AlwaysThere@adt.com so we may assist? Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have spent the last three days being bounced from rep to rep, hold to hold, department to department. I had a preexisting system already in my house and I was only inquiring into what type of package they could have provided. I really didn't want to do a contract, but had to. They signed me up for 1 year for basic home monitoring. Paying close to $50 dollars a month. Sales rep said they would be providing a new key fob for me; all I had to do was ask the tech when he came to reactivate my system.

When he got to my house, there was some confusion on his part - as he states, he didn't see any equipment or devices on the work order, but yet they were charging me for Pulse Remote Internet Access - which is where you can use the app instead of the key fob, they wanted me to pay for them compared to giving one to me as the original rep had stated. I was fine with using my phone, so I didn't really care to have the key fob. Had to call the customer service people when the tech was here and went around and around regarding what service they were suppose to set up and what I was paying for.

This situation escalated all the way to the Customer Relations Department where I spoke to a rude team lead manager who did not want to deal with my situation and made the decision to just cancel my service altogether after the contract was signed. I was still within the three day window if "I" wanted to cancel, but she essentially made the decision for me. Nowhere in the contract does it state they can cancel the contract for any reason at any time. They force you to sign the contract and pay in advance before anything can be done.

I have been fighting with these customer service reps for the better part of two days. The silver lining is that I was able to get connected with one of the account managers whom actually took the time to try to help me. All this has transpired within three days of inquiring about service with ADT! I have and will continue to go all the way up the chain to the CEO until this gets rectified appropriately. Companies forget that customers are the ones that pay their bills!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My bill was paid in full till the end of Sept. 2018. I called and canceled service on Sept 20, 2018 after sale of the house. Received a bill in Oct 2018 for $18.49. No detail on the bill only explanation after speaking to Scott is a charge incurred that happens because it takes a month to complete the cancellation process and that is wrote in the contract but I did not remember that being mentioned at the time service was started more than 3 yrs earlier. I was never late with a payment and there was never an alarm. So basically a person would be very wise to set up a DIY service and save a lot of money and getting taken advantage of.

ADT response

We're sorry to hear that Grace. ADT's contract for service does require a 30 day notice. If you would email us at AlwaysThere@adt.com, we would be happy to review the remaining balance. -Gabe

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had ADT come in and have their system put in my home I had just purchased. It took 3 hours to install. They had a promotion going on with a free ring camera. But keep in mind. The home when I bought it had a security system already hard-wired into the home. Which was working. I just needed to have a security company come in and take over the system. The salesman told me they would piggy back my system. They did exactly what they said. 45 minutes after the installation was done. I tried to arm the system. It came up with multiple error codes. I called ADT and the salesman who set this up. He said the tech who installed it will call me back in 30 mins. This was a Saturday. Well no call.

Monday rolls around and no call. So I call ADT. I told them to come remove my system because I wasn't satisfied and it was within the 3 day cancellation time. So they charged me $57.49 right away. I called and asked for a refund. They said I would possibly get it in 90 days. So I called today and they finally gave me my refund. But only $53.78. $3.71 less. It gets better. The company who installed the system came and took it out but the same tech who took 3 hours to install it, removed it in 20 minutes. I had another company come in and tried to use the wires in the security system installed. Their tech told me all the wires were cut and he couldn't use the system installed. When ADT's installer left he said the company policy was not to hook system up because of safety reasons. So now it will cost me over a $1000 to repair the damage done.

ADT response

Hello Paul. We are sorry for your experience with one of our authorized dealers. Millennium Alarm Systems INC is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they install / sell their own alarm equipment and are not owned by ADT. If you have any unresolved concerns with Millennium, we can reach out to them on your behalf to assist further. Thank you. -Andrew

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

They will not stop their auto payment system and are overcharging us too. They will not stop their services until I respond to a email that came 1 week after my first call but I didn't see it before it expired. We are being charged more than contract price too. When I called again today, just like my first attempt, I was in hold for over 20 minutes. Again, I was told to expect an email and respond to it before they will cancel their auto pay. WHY SHOULDN'T THEY STOP THEIR SYSTEM? I told my wife that I guess we will have to close our bank account and move our money someplace else!

ADT response

Hello Timothy-We were unable to locate an account using the address or phone number provided in your review. If you would please email ADT at AlwaysThere@adt.com, we would be more than happy to assist with a resolution. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Bad customer service. Be careful when you sign the contract with this company. It’s a bait, always overcharge. You want to cancel! No way! You will pay for the cancel fee. A lot money. I will tell to all my friends, my family friend and the world. Don’t trust and don’t use this company. I’m sure I will never stay with this company after my contract. Liar and cheaters!

ADT response

Hello Binh-We apologize for any inconvenience that has been caused. If you would please email ADT at AlwaysThere@adt.com, we'd would be happy to assist with a resolution. Thank you.-Gabe

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

First, I have been an ADT customer for 5 years; when I was researching an upgrade to my system, I called them first. This ADT install has resulted in a 3 month debacle by ADT that has yet to be corrected. The sales representative attempted to sell me equipment I already owned (I only realized this on installation day). And...because I was wanting a higher quality camera, the installers sold me "hd bullet" cameras. These cameras needed to be ordered and a second installation date set. On the first installation date, the installers did not follow their procedures and the HVAC did not work after ADT installed the thermostats. I had to hire an electrician to come and repair the HVAC.

On the second install date, I had to have the electrician come out a second time to rewire the thermostats and place the old thermostats back on the system. The cameras were installed and the thermostats were again installed. They again damaged the thermostat by not following the proper installation procedures. I had to hire the electrician to come out a third time to repair the HVAC. The cameras that were installed do not function or meet the requirements as agreed upon when they were sold to me. They do not stay connected to the external network because a static IP address is required... I highlighted this issue at installation and the installers ensured me that this was not required.

I've contacted ADT a number of times regarding these issues and their customer service and professionalism has been despicable; when a customer spends $5000 on a security system, it is expected to work as promised. The installation manager and the installers responsible for this install, and the unprofessional customer relations personnel should all be removed from ADT. It's clear that I am stuck with this despicable service with its incompetent and low-quality customer service and unethical business practices for the next 3 years. I will NOT be recommending ADT service to anyone and I will ensure all of my contacts, both personal and professional, will know my point of view of ADT.

ADT response

Hello Jerald- We do apologize again to hear of your experience! As we reviewed with you yesterday there is a service appointment set for today for the technician to address any issues you may be experiencing with the services.

As we discussed over the phone you may use remote view with a Dynamic I.P address and static I.P is not required for remote view of your CCTV Cameras.

A Dynamic I.P address would need to be updated in the DVR as/if it changes but you would be able to view the footage once it has been set up. Additionally you may be able to purchase a Static I.P address from your internet provider or a DDNS server.

We look forward to following up with you once your service appointment has been completed. Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance. Thank you~ Eileen

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I am not sure when ADT took a wicked turn, but this company plays slick games. Over the phone, I was quoted $27.99 for a monitoring fee. The phone rep told me that I wouldn't be charged until the tech came to my home and provided me with an assessment/consultation. So I provided her with my credit card number. After I hung up the phone with her, I received an alert of a charge for $105. She lied = Slick. They charge you this fee even before they come to your home. A few days later the tech arrived at the house and said that a $27.99 monitoring fee was not possible and he quoted me a monitoring fee of $52, plus tax. While I did not agree with this rate, I figured I would test the service out for a few days. But before I could totally make up my mind, the tech's assessment turned into him immediately installing the ADT keypad without asking. I literally left the room for a few seconds and he had already removed my old keypad system.

He did this without asking if he could remove my old system = Slick. You have three days to cancel their service in so I canceled before the three days was up. They make you fax in the cancel request, knowing damn well most people don't have access to a fax machine. I found one and made sure the cancellation request was in their hands before the three days was up. When the tech came back out to remove the ADT equipment, he seemed to have a ** attitude. He brought a trainee with him and the two of them commenced to having a conversation about me and my "poor decisions" in my kitchen (unprofessional). I let them know that I could hear them and their ignorant conversation came to a cease. If you have other options, avoid this company at all costs. They are trying to rip you off at every turn. If you are worried about being robbed, avoid these thieves. The irony.

ADT response

Good morning Hank. We do apologize for the poor experience and have replied via an alternate forum. Again, we would be happy to assist if you willemail your information to AlwaysThere@adt.com. Thank you. -Gabe

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Lied from initial phone call to now. No concern for human welfare but all about the money. Highly suggest anyone looking for home security and honesty call any company other than Defenders ADT. Worst experience and customer service I've ever dealt with.

ADT response

Hello Nessa Ann. Defender Security is an independent authorized dealer of ADT's monitoring service. They procure and maintain their own customer base, and sell and install their own equipment. They partner with ADT, as Defender does not provide a monitoring service. Should you have any concerns regarding a recent Defender installation, they can be contacted directly at 1-800-689-9554. Should you need anything further from ADT, we would encourage you to contact us at AlwaysThere@adt.com. Thank you. -Gabe

Resolution response: Oct. 22, 2018

after writing review, ADT immediately resolved my issue with them. I am confused by consumer affairs asking me to update my star rating though. i would be happy to remove my 1 star, but the explanations for the 5 stars do not pertain to resolutions, only overall satisfaction. I would give the ADT dept that watches the consumer affairs 5 stars.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

5/2017 aunt moves to retirement home. Canceled monitoring service. Still in auto bill system, I sent back stating it was canceled. 1/2018 she passes. Received continuation of bill. Sent back previous cancellation note along with death certificate. In April 2018 someone at ADT actually recognizes that she is dead. I receive invoice for 83.00, no big deal I just pay it. THEN I get invoice for 250.00 with no explanation for what it is for, I ignore. Another one, I write back, another one in Oct. 2018 and I call. They say that they sent me a box for the equipment and I have to return it. I never got a box and their records indicate that an empty box was returned to sender. The box would have been the only indication to me that I needed to return any equipment. So 18 months later I have to see if someone kept the equipment from a 95 year old who lived in a nursing home? This is not the first issue with ADT. Please don't use them, it's a headache.

ADT response

Hello Julie. I'm so sorry for this frustrating experience. My condolences for your recent loss as well. I recently left you a message at the number you provided here, to discuss these concerns further. I'd be happy to help. -Andrew

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Terrible sales, installation, and service, especially for someone providing such critical installation and monitoring. They're great at acting nice, then following up with nothing or (at best) a bait-and-switch with extra charges, going back on their word, and requiring that you pay more money to get what was sold on the front end. I read the promotion fine print, read the contract, discussed with the technician and branch manager to clarify all the pieces. Then got passed through no less than two disjointed and loosely affiliated call centers which continued to require additional forms, contracts, and payments in order to get the original payment terms and rebates that drove the initial sale. You should pay more for service from a different company, because ADT will end up costing you more before the dust settles.

ADT response

Hello Giovanni-We've already corresponded with you regarding this matter and are in the process of reaching out to correct the issue. Thank you for your patience. -Gabe

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2018

ADT did the right thing and apologized for the mistake and made things right. Gabe is a great asset for your company. I understand mistakes can happen, thanks for making it right

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have had ADT security for almost 2 years now. I bought the system to help protect my family after a home invasion. After 1 year of service, we moved and chose to transfer service to our new house. We had a technician come out and perform the installation and once that was complete we started using the system. A year after transferring service to my new home, I had an issue with the keypad. I called my local ADT office to have them come out and repair it, only to be informed that they never actually transferred the service to my new address!

That means for 1 year, I was paying for service at a home I no longer owned or lived at! What’s even worse is I thought my family was being protected by ADT! What if we would’ve had a home invasion and found out then that they dropped the ball! I entrusted ADT to protect my family and they failed miserably! After all of that they thought the fair thing to do would be to issue a credit of $200 to me even though I paid over $600 for a year worth of service they didn’t provide. But the best part is they would only offer this credit if I renewed my service with them and signed another 3 year contract! Stay as far away as you can! Don’t trust this company to protect the things that mean the most to you like your family!

ADT response

Hello Chris-We'd certainly like to assist with any issues you've had regarding your billing and relocation. Please email us with your account information at AlwaysThere@adt.com so we can review. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

ADT has the worse customer service and the worse legal department. Be careful business owners as ADT will rack up citations on your behalf with the county, not tell you anything about it and years later you find out you have hundreds of dollars in citations accrued that you owe. They dispatch police to your place of business during working hours so I don’t know who is worse, ADT or the actual Miami Dade County Code Enforcement Department. I guess you can say criminals and people that take advantage of others come in all shapes, sizes and disguises.

The county has no concrete proof that anyone even went to your place of business. ADT wipes their behinds with your problems basically telling the client “It’s your problem, not ours”, but yeah it is your problem 'cause you are the incompetent people that dispatched police to a business during working hours and then later claim that you don’t know exactly why they happen. It’s is disgusting to me how the county, and other government agencies take advantage of people and businesses and companies like ADT are still in business making millions of dollars from consumers and business owners. With so many companies out there but then again, at the end they are all the same crap!!!

ADT response

Hello. We're sorry to hear of the false alarm fines that have been incurred. If you would please send your account information to AlwaysThere@adt.com, we review. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

In February 2017, I had three cameras installed, in which one camera simply sat on my kitchen sink because the technician didn’t want to hassle with figuring out an electrical connection to set the camera up to view my swimming pool area. The front outside camera was supposed to have night vision, but it didn’t. The night vision function finally popped in surprisingly during the summer of 2018. The camera system is down almost as much as it works.

I signed the installation papers and found out 18 months later that I was under another 3 year contract, which makes no sense since I paid cash for all of the equipment. The ADT rep. that I talked to today told me that I only purchased one camera (instead of three). Don’t buy an ADT alarm package. They are overpriced for the equipment & services offered. Get your own system that records every activity all day instead of 30 a second recording every 4 minutes if the alarm is set like ADT. What a waste of money.

ADT response

We're troubled to hear of your experience Philip and we'd like to help. We'd be happy to send a technician to address any outstanding issues your cameras may be having. Please contact us at AlwaysThere@adt.com so we assist. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I had a representative from one of ADT's subcontracted sales companies come to my house last year in August. He gave us a whole spiel about how if he could put a sign in our yard we could get a security system for free. My husband and I both specifically asked him how long the contract was for for the monitoring monthly fee and were told that it was 1 year. We specifically asked what it would cost it us to cancel after a year and he told us it wouldn't cost us anything. He told us that when a year was up we should call and tell them we were going to switch companies and they would lower our monthly payment or we could just stop it anytime after a year.

Last month I called ADT and asked for a lower payment and was told no so I got a different system with a cheaper monthly fee. I then called to cancel and was told that I have a 36-month contract and it will cost me almost $700 to get out of it and basically said, "Too bad!" They contract out with companies that use deceptive sales practices.

ADT response

Hello Amy. We apologize for this experience. We were able to locate your account and see that you did speak with our account management team and they have lowered your bill for the next 6 months. In regards to your existing contract was initially contracted through an authorized dealer, we apologize for that concern as well. A copy of the contract should've been provided to you to review once it was signed, allowing you ample time to review the terms and conditions and cancel within your 3 day right if you did not agree to them. Thank you. -Andrew

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I had a horrible experience tonight. I was home by myself with 2 small children. My flue lever broke, but I didn’t realize that. The house filled with smoke and the fire alarm went off. I put in the code multiple times to stop it. When I called ADT to stop the alarm (1 child was crying due to the noise), and it wouldn’t stop, the first man to answer tried to help...but he couldn’t shut the system off. He put me on hold! The second girl basically told me to rip wires out of my electrics to shut it off...first in the chaos...she told me I had to find a screwdriver!

All necessary wiring were ripped out according to instructions. Alarm still blaring! I asked her to call the fire department to help (my house was full of smoke!). She said she could not do that because it would be a “false alarm”?! What?! I asked what I was paying for? On my work phone I called the fire department. They came, and were shocked at what I was told to do! On top of that, after the wires were disconnected. I was told there were NO people to re-hook up my wires on weekends! What am I paying for? Two out of times this company has worried me. They do not call first responders quicker than I do!

ADT response

Hello Tracy- We're very sorry to hear of your experience! If you could email us directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com with your account information and a reference to your review we may review this further. Thank you~ Eileen

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I talked with a representative about a home security system. As we talked she asked me questions regarding number of windows/doors etc. She told me we would get window/doors sensors (never actually told me how many my mistake for not asking), also told me it wasn't a problem to include an extra key fob and the really great news was we were going to have all this "free" money to purchase anything else we wanted off the service truck. Salesman and installer arrive and we find out that extra key fob was coming out of our "free" money the representative never ever mentioned this fact.

I assumed we would get 6 window/door sensor since I saw that in one of their ads not just 2! Also when she asked how many windows she didn't indicate that each section of glass is a surface so if you have two sections that open and one stationary piece that's 3 surfaces! I consider this just plain lying to a customer. The salesman and installer where very patient and helpful helping us understand all the "fine print" and even called their boss to get us a better deal. Tell me why your customer service reps don't explain all this in the initial phone call rather than putting your salesman or installer on the hot seat. We almost cancelled the entire installation! Shame on you for such deceptive tactics.

ADT response

Kathy-We're troubled to hear about the experience that you have had. Please email your account information to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we may assist. -Gabe

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I told sales rep everything that my current system had, including a connection to my home automation lighting. All existing devices were to be connected and no costs to be incurred. Tech (really a sales guy) arrived and immediately drilled a hole in our front hall and installed control panel (per ADT procedures). Technician then reviewed existing system and declared that ADT could not connect to any existing devices. Tech reported that over $2,000 in replacement devices would be required and that a connection to our home automation could not be achieved. Horrible bait and switch... thinking we were now captive with panel and holes in our front hall. I refused to accept their reversal and sent their technician away. Hole remains in our from hall, and I intend to pursue ADT for damages.

ADT response

We're sorry to hear about the poor experience that you have had Philip. May we ask that you please email your account information to AlwaysThere@adt.com so we may assist? Thank you. -Gabe

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I recently received a mailing from ADT promoting new security system installation and monitoring. The cost of the monthly service was shown as $27.99 per month. I called the number listed on the advertising piece and spoke to a young lady. She told me that information shown on the flyer was correct and she scheduled a date for the installation. She also asked me for credit card information which I provided. I told her very clearly, several times, that I had a system already in place that was installed by Monitronics. I also informed her that the only thing I was interested in was the monthly monitoring and did not want to pay for new equipment. She said that was no problem, our entire conversation was being recorded and that a technician would have to come to the house and do the change-over.

The technician came (Angel) on September 21, 2018 and began the installation. He told me that he would have to replace the existing Monitronics keypad and sensors because they did not work with ADT. I expressed concern about the cost but he told me that the new equipment was all included in the installation. He reiterated the $27.99 monthly monitoring charge and no additional equipment charges.

I have attached to this letter a copy of the first bill I just received from ADT. The charges are based on monthly security services of $52.99 plus tax per month. The billing starts September 21, 2018 through October 31, 2018. This is absolutely not what was told to me by ADT over the phone and again confirmed by Angel, the technician. I have never been provided with ANY COPIES of any contract or agreement(s).

I called the ADT Customer Service number and spoke to Adriana. She told me that the “Pulse” system (which I had never heard of), a cellular system, does not qualify for the $27.99 per month. I told her I was never informed of this. She said that the $27.99 per month rate refers to the use of a landline. I told her that I have a landline and apparently the technician chose not to use it.

I am 68 year old. I believe that I have been a victim of a bait and switch con game. I cannot believe that your company engages in this type of behavior. I will be contacting the authorities. I will not permit you to do this to me. I want you to cancel the service immediately. I will be instructing my credit card bank to reverse the debit for the installation charge that I paid you.

ADT response

Hello Elvira. We are very sorry for this frustrating experience. I have located your account and see that your services were purchased through and installed by a third party named Defenders Security INC, AKA Protect Your Home.

Defenders is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they install and sell their own alarm equipment. We see that you've spoken to a member of our Presidential team, Lakilla regarding your concerns and that she has reached out to Defenders on your behalf. We'll be sure to let her know of your posting.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Very briefly DO NOT TRUST ADT. I just called them to inquire about their 27.99 plan and I tried to ask about every detail that I could, but their agent insisted to send a technician for consultation. First of all, the technician was a very lazy guy that was talking too much about everything except the safety and the contract. Secondly, he was a cheating guy that told a lot of lies and fooled me to sign a paper which was not the contract. For example some of the lies he told me: 1. In response to my question about the fact that I may leave the US because I am here temporarily, he told If you go somewhere that ADT doesn't provide the service you can terminate the contract which is not true and in any case, they charge you for the rest of your 3 years of service. 2. You have 30 days of grace period to cancel the contract which is completely a lie and you just cancel the service in 3 days which I didn't know about it.

3. He told, "I'll give you $4 monthly discount" which again was not true after I received my first bill and many more lies. More importantly, he didn't give me a copy of what we agreed and told you will receive the electronic version very soon. After 10 days I called the customer service to follow up about the contract and it turned out he reported my email incorrectly such that I cannot receive the contract, moreover what he submitted as my contract was something else than what we agreed and he had signed in all placed instead of me. When I called the customer service and reported the problem they didn't resolve the issue and basically just told don't have any other choice other than continuing this contract or cancel it by paying the 75% of the 3 years contract.

ADT response

Hello. We're very sorry for this frustrating experience. So that we may review your concerns further, may we please have the phone number or address for where your service is located? Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I called to inquire about a promotion I saw online. Based on the call I set up an appointment to have a tech come out to install. After install he got me to a form that confirmed what he set up. After he left I got 5 emails to a contract with my signature imposed on each with a monthly rate double what I had agreed upon when I set up the appointment. I then called and received no help so I canceled the contract the same day but not before being charge twice on my card and still waiting for my refund. It's a sham!

ADT response

Hello Curtis and Denise. We're very sorry for the inconvenience and frustrations you experienced. May we please verify the phone number or address for where the services are located so we can review your concerns further? Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

They have a contractor come and sign you up and lie to you it's a one year term when it's 36 months. You better have this form in your hand when they show upon Friday to cancel with in 72 hours. Saturday Sunday are work days to them. It's all in the scam. They say they want a bank card but they won't bill it. They do and is not what you're told. The price will be more tricky stuff. They plug your cameras in to your outside 120 plugs. Grand-kids just pull the plugs out no camera so do the crooks. You don't have a TV screen to see whose outside. You need to get your phone or laptop or computer and hope you can get to site so you can see what is going on outside. Oops they're already inside killing me or robbing the place.

Oh they tell you own the junk they're giving you cameras, door window. Costco sells better stuff. After the man left I called ADT. Told them I'm not happy give me back my money take this junk out. They told me to contact installers I did. They said all they do is install take my money. I need to go back to ADT. They started billing my card. I called my bank. They stopped card gave me a new one. Now unknown caller is calling they are a bill collector. I hope this saves you from a rotten underhanded company like this.

ADT response

Thank you for your feedback Christine- I have located your account and see that your services were purchased through and installed by a third party named Defenders Security INC Protect Your Home.

For these reasons, we would need to escalate your complaints through them, as they would be the party to resolve your concerns.

I will be forwarding your complaint to Defender's upper management but, should you need to reach out to them directly, their number is 1-800-689-9554. Thank you for your patience! Gabe

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with their customer service often, but so far the times that I have called the customer service reps. did nothing to help, and were rude. Not to mention the fact that even though they lock you into a contract, they still raise their rates every year. Feels dishonest. Usually when you are locked into a contract the pricing is also locked in, but not with ADT. That fact alone makes me want to switch service providers the day my contract is up.

ADT response

Hello Eddie-ADT's contract for service does include possible rate increases after the completion of the first year of the agreement. You have the right to request that ADT remove the rate increase if so desired. I am showing that ADT has removed the increase. Should you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to email AlwaysThere@adt.com. Thank you! -Gabe

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

So incredibly frustrated. We sold our home and moved last September and called and canceled our ADT service. They told us everything was taken care of. Then in January of this year we realized they were still auto charging our credit card. We called numerous times and even sent in a letter. They then told us we needed to cancel in the Spring. Still letters arrived in the mail that our account was still due. Today, I called and spoke with a supervisor only to be informed that it was against ADT policy to cancel without the customer remembering a 5 letter pin they had when they originally signed up. It didn't matter that I had the account number, my social security, was logged into the account online, nothing...

ADT response

Hello Lisa-We apologize for for the frustrating situation. If you would email your account information to AlwaysThere@adt.com, we would be happy to review and assist. Thank you. -Gabe

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was contacted by an ADT authorized dealer, the Defenders. The person on the phone wanted my SSN to run a check. I told the rep I didn't want to give him my SSN because I don't want hard checks on my credit report. The guy said no problem he can just run a check by name. Turns out that I was lied to and the guy did a hard check on my credit report. After speaking with the guy I was going to go with the installation. However, he wanted a 100.00 deposit. I didn't want to give a credit card because I had looked at using them in the past and I cancelled because they failed to show up for the installation. It also took me forever for them to refund the deposit.

When I explained this to the rep on the phone he put a supervisor on the phone. The supervisor said I didn't have to use a credit card, but that I could give a checking account number. The supervisor said that they wouldn't charge my checking account until the day of installation. Turns out that today they charged my account. I called and cancelled the installation, and I am sure it will be forever before my money is refunded. I will never use ADT or one of their authorized agents.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I'd just moved into a new Manor neighborhood and since I'm a girl living alone, I needed some sort of security. Someone from DT Security, representing ADT came and sold me on the product. Little did I know I'd been roped into a three year contract without realizing this. Then I found out in order to even have the security system I need a permit. When I called in to cancel because of this, I was told I would need to pay 2000$ to end my contract that I've barely had three months. When I asked about the 6-month promise they said that only applies if there's something technically wrong with the product.

So now I'm stuck with a system I can't use. They gave me a credit on my account to pay for the permit, that's about it. I barely use this system because I don't have the permit yet and I can't stand the fact that THEY OMITTED INFORMATION AND I'M STILL FORCED TO GIVE THEM MY SERVICES DESPITE BEING MISLED! Never, ever again will I use ADT. I'll get a large dog or look elsewhere. Completely dissatisfied.

ADT response

Asha- We are truly sorry that you have experienced issues with your installation and service. If you would please email ADT at alwaysthere@adt.com with your account information, we would be happy to review. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

The day I called ADT I had just experienced some issues with someone trying to get in a bedroom window. While speaking to CS she told me about their package which was $850 worth of free equipment but since something had happened to my house she would connect me to her manager so he could help more. Once speaking to the manager he added additional credit to my account so I could have the basic package which included: Door sensors, window sensors, motion detector, outside siren, lifetime warranty, 1 key fob. While transferring me back to the CS he told her to upgrade me to shock sensors, an additional key fob, and to add 2 door and 3 windows sensor for my mother in law that is currently under construction. The CS said, "Wow that’s a great deal!"

Now it was time to talk about the monitoring. I asked her the difference between the $27.99 and the $52.99 and she told me the $52.99 came with an outside camera. Since I don’t need an outside camera I went with the $27.99... I doubled checked the warranty and she said, "Yes, lifetime warranty." I was all set and feeling safe. The sales guy make his way over the next day... To my surprise he tried to sell me a $6,000 system but I asked him to just give me what I ordered during my phone call the previous day. He did some kind of weird math and only ended up giving me 3 door sensors 8 window sensors and 1 key fob. I didn’t get a motion detector, a siren, or the second key fob.

Aside from my disappointment I continued on with installation while he tells me about the monitoring. He tried selling me the $52.99 and again I told him no. I was going to do $27.99 and that’s when he informs me it actually has only a 90 day warranty. I explained what the CS told me and his response was, "That’s how they talk you into letting someone come out." So beyond frustrated. He also told me he would bring yard signs the next day... I’ve never received them. When I called to explain the situation another CS told me, "Well if you are going to cancel you need to do it before the next two days." I can’t believe how much they don’t care for the company. Literally worst company ever.

ADT response

Hi Rachel- Thanks for reaching out. The $27.99 monthly rate does not include a QSP plan (Quality Service Plan) and would require specific needs such as a landline. We're sorry to learn your overall experience was unsatisfactory, and we encourage you to email our team @AlwaysThere@ADT.com with your contact info and the address so we can review this further and reach out to assist. Thank you- Tim L

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

We have been a loyal customer of ADT for over 15 years. We recently built a house in the country and needed a security system to deter burglaries so we contacted ADT. The sales rep came out and we contracted a 36 month plan with the promise from ADT on adding cameras once the house was complete. With the house now completed we contacted ADT to add cameras. Since we have satellite internet ADT could not add the cameras failing on the promise we were given upfront. We then contacted customer service to cancel the contract so we could go with a different company that uses cellular technology for the cameras for our home. ADT would not let us out of the contract. The customer service department was very unprofessional and just outright rude. Buyer Beware!! ADT shows no loyalty and frankly could care less if your home is secure or not!!

ADT response

Hello Chuck, we'd be happy to look into this further for you. If you would please email us with your account information at alwaysthere@adt.com we'll look into your concern. -Gabe

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I called ADT and spoke to an agent. He was friendly and seemed to want to help. He understood what we're looking for and offered us a package, we signed the contract and the technician was coming next day morning. When the technician arrived, he told us he received an order to install a completely different package with half of what we ordered and said if we want to add more equipment we need to pay more. He was nice and apologized, we canceled the installation and called ADT again to figure out what we were going to do. We called ADT again and explained the situation to another agent and took her name. I asked her about things the first agent told us, she said that was not true and said she will give us another package.

We thought ok, maybe ADT is not a bad company after all and maybe we just happened to talk to a bad agent that lies and tricks customers to get his commission. Well, she said: "Please hold on a minute. I'm calculating my numbers..." then she hang up in our face! She didn't call us back although she had our phone numbers. At this point we felt stuck because the first agent lied and tricked us into signing the contract and this agent got scared because we wrote her name down and freaked out and didn't want to get in trouble so she simply hang up on us!

Well we didn't know what to do... We just signed a 3-year contract and didn't know what kind of fees we were facing... We called again. This time we were done and just wanted to cancel. They sent me through hoops... 4 agents... one agent to another... with the last agent I said: "Look... I just want to cancel my service!" I asked whether or not we would have to pay for all the 3 years (the first agent that completed the order said yes we will have to pay for all 3 years if we canceled the contract)… They said, "No the contract is void." We canceled and started shopping for another security system. I will never recommend them for anyone.

ADT response
Hello Dina, we are truly sorry that this happened. Can you please email your account information to alwaysthere@adt.com so that we may investigate further?

-Gabe

ADT expert review by Erin Raub

Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

ADT Company Information