4.52/5
Based on 2,923 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 21, 2018

7046 ADT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

I have never had a bad experience with ADT. I am so thankful for the help I get when I need it in for the service I get when I want to add to my system. Everyone has been nothing but professional!! I feel much more secure having ADT! Thank you!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 16, 2018

Great customer service!?? Anytime we have needed to contact them, we have always had our issue promptly resolved. The service representatives are always polite & friendly. We highly recommend ADT for home protection service! We have used their services for almost 10 years and plan to continue!

Original review: April 15, 2018

I first heard about ADT because we had Brink's. ADT’s people are very polite and responsive. I’ve had some incidents here where I accidentally set off the alarm and they called within a few minutes.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Thank you for your help. It was a good experience. Everything seems to be under control now. I appreciate your coming out and getting everything working again. I hope that smoke thing never happens again. I don't know what caused it in the first place, but you folks were good! I will be getting in touch with you soon as I will be leaving for the summer. I'll give you a call sometime in May to let you know dates.

Original review: April 14, 2018

The People and Company are fantastic. I have never had a problem with ADT and if I ever have a question they are there to help with an answer. Not to mention the rapid response time to an activated alarm. I would highly recommend ADT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: April 14, 2018

ADT was provided to us by the realtor and while we're good so far, the service is very intermittent. Sometimes I see the yellow button which should prompt me to do something, but it has happened multiple times and then it autocorrects.

ADT response

Hello Kalpana. Thank you for your review. At your convenience, please give us a call at 1-800-238-2727, if you're having a trouble light occur on the system that appears sporadic or doesn't clear. We'd like to troubleshoot these concerns so that we can adress them or arrange for a service technician if need be. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: April 14, 2018

ADT was the most affordable when we got them. I like the peace of mind that their home security system gives us. The sales reps were very prompt, professional and excellent. They helped me with troubleshooting and calling to verify if everything was okay when the alarm sounded. The installers were respectful, efficient and clean. We got features like glass break and alarm. If somebody were to come in through when the alarm's on, it would sound an alert. On the other hand, the prices are going up. I’ve stayed with ADT because it was competitively priced but now, it's the same as my Xfinity and it would be nicer just to have one bill. So, I may be dropping them because I'm no longer saving money and it is not worth keeping it.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I'm satisfied with ADT. I’ve known about them for a long time and I had a good experience with their reps. When one of their rep came once, he didn’t have the equipment to do the upgrade so they had to order it. We’ve gone over all the ins and outs of installing the upgrade here so we requested that he come back because we were impressed with him and they scheduled him back. The installation was fine and everything went like I planned. We did the newest upgrade and did whatever is in their latest ad. Then we had a couple of Carbon Monoxide things put in as well. We got one camera and I may put in another one too down the road. ADT is working well and I would recommend it.

Original review: April 13, 2018

My HOA mandates that everybody goes through ADT and I've been with them for a year now. I haven't heard from them this one year, which is a good thing, but a year ago, a guy came out and gave me good information. Although ADT is pricey, their service was good.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Pleased with fast response and the help to turn off my alarm. It was my fault. I think just as another safeguard it would be good to ask for the password. Thank you for the chance to comment. It is very much appreciated.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Had ADT for over 20+ years. Highly recommend them. If I were to have a complaint, it would be I hate that the security cameras only take 30 second clips and can take on average 5 minutes to reset; in doing so, if someone pulls in front of house, by the time they get out of their vehicle, there is no footage of it. If they pulled off within that 5 minutes, again, there is no footage. I've missed some pertinent things I needed as proof; HOWEVER, on the flip side, the camera has captured some footage I needed. If you happen to actively watch the live footage, you are able to capture video/still pictures yourself, prior to the 5 minute reset. This only helps if again, you decide to watch live footage of it. Who has that kind of time 24/7 (smile).

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 12, 2018

Late August 2017, I had Impulse Alarm, an ADT Authorized Dealer, visit my house to talk to me about placing an alarm system in the residence I live in. After contacting ADT to verify Impulse Alarms qualifications, I agreed and signed their contract. One of the reasons I signed on was that ADT was adding the Ring doorbell system with the alarm setup at no extra charge. Darryl ** from Impulse assured me that the system plus the ring doorbell would be up and running in less than 2 weeks. Well, I'm still waiting. I have tried several times to contact Darryl and his boss Ramsin, and they do not return my phone calls. ADT has also given me the runaround, even though I pay my bill on time. The best thing about my system, is that the keypad works great as a night light.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We have a smoke and door alarms from ADT and the service has been very good. The salesperson was fine and there was no high pressure. And the guy that put it in was very nice. It’s worth getting ADT.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Working for a customer oriented corporation for nearly 13 yrs, I would guess Corporations like ADT will go above and beyond to provide great customer experience. But unfortunately it was opposite. Been ADT clientele for nearly 10 or more years in California and New York and have always advocated their services. Cancelled their subscription last year due to some reason. Had everything installed, from wireless Sensors to switch to pulse (Smartphone support). Spend lot of $$ initially for all this.

To make things brief, called them yesterday, after going through their advertisement, of $19.99 per month mailer send to me, if you have already have system in place. For which they said I can’t as I don’t have wireline and second I had pulse installed (Smartphone support) and still have to sign 2 yrs contract, which didn’t make sense to me, as why I do have to sign a contract, when I have everything previous installed ADT system. I agreed to all their strange policies. Also asked them to install 3 cameras at my house. Which they said they will give one free and 2 they will charge $400+ for both, which I agreed, as they said they were top of the line camera’s in the industry, but I found out later they are not, and the pixel quality is not that good. I would have liked if they would have given any options but not.

And the monthly subscription of $49.00, as they discounted $10.00 from $59.99, learned they do for all customers, just making me think, that they are doing something for me. Still agreed to everything they asked and offered, as I believe what they said. Today when they came for install, things were different from what they have said, no free camera and also explained the duration of camera was only 30 seconds and clarity was not good. I choose not to go through with installation, as I feel they have are not the same company I dealt with years back. Looks like their motto is to sell everything (which they should) but with no customer experience behind it. Even though they would have generated revenue from me, but looks like they are care more about policies. I have been in customer experience industry for last 15 years, but this is the first time I wrote a Negative feedback, as I feel their brand had failed me today. Thanks.

ADT response

Hello Shivinder- We are truly sorry to learn of your recent sales and installation experience. If we may be of assistance to you still, we would request that you message us here. ~Tréchell

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have had ADT for over 15 years. The last year I have found out some real truths about the character and reliability of this company. First, after a long Chicago winter I noticed a wire attached to a box on my front lawn. It turns out this is the only power source to my alarm system. I remember the day it must have got caught in my snowblower because it fried the belt and had to bring it in for repair (that was December by the way).

Unbeknown to me ADT didn't even know my system was disconnected and then lied that they were monitoring me the whole time up to my service phone call to gave them out to fix it. At that point between the lies and the treatment on the phone I cancelled ADT. They told me at that time I would need to pay for this month because of the 30 day out agreement (that was March). I paid even though they haven't been monitoring anything since December. Now fast forward to April and lo and behold I was billed on April 7 and they say it was not 30 days LMAO. This company is a sham. Be careful if you have a break in because I dont believe they really know.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My name is Lesley **. I have been a customer of ADT or other companies that have been bought out by ADT such as Protectron for at least 30 years at my current location. I have also had an account with ADT/Protectron at another location for 15 years. Last year I was approached by ADT to upgrade to their new technology at my home location on West 6th. I agreed to this. Then they suggested I do it at the other location of West 13th. Once more I agreed. Since then my husband who was using the second residence has died. In clearing up his estate and selling the apartment it has become necessary to end the agreement with ADT.

When I notified ADT of this, a very rude person (I believe his name was Jeff, not sure) became quite aggressive and shouted a number of times to say that I had to pay a penalty of $1500. Now I do not have a copy of the contract that he told me I had signed. If I did sign such an agreement I would like a copy of it, please. I asked to speak to the Supervisor. He told me the Supervisor was busy but that he, the Supervisor, would call me back within 48 hours. He has not. I have had no communication from ADT since then. I have asked the buyers of the apartment whether they would take over the system but they declined as they have their own alarm company. Considering how long I have been a customer and that I will still be a customer at my other address going forward would you consider some alleviation of the penalty that I have been told I must pay.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Last night around 8:00 pm a young man came to my door ringing the bell and knocking. I have a sign, eye level taped to my storm door that says NO TRESPASSING, I asked him if he saw my sign and he looked at the alarm sign on the ground by the step and said "yes, I am trying to replace it" I said "No, the sign on my door." He then read it and said he didn't know if it meant no trespassing in the yard or on the porch (how stupid of a response is that?) Anyway, I need you to keep your people off my property and respect my signs. Next time I will not be so nice and have them arrested for trespassing. I used to have ADT for years then your prices got crazy so I moved to a service that is just as good if not better because I received updated equipment. Bottom line, stop sending door to door people at night to places that CLEARLY indicate not to trespass.

ADT response

Hello Amanda - We are sorry for the visit you have received and for any discomfort caused. We are happy to add you to our Do Not Contact list, if you have received any unwanted E-Mails, mailings or phone calls. With regards to door to door solicitation, while we understand that you had a no trespassing sign, we would also encourage that you obtain or create a "No Soliciting" sign. If you have identifying information for the representative who came to your home, we will address this interaction individually. ~ Tréchell

Original review: April 11, 2018

Our experience with ADT has been good. We have been a customer for 15+ years and never had a problem they could not handle. They are always available, offers many upgrades and other possibilities with their service. I would recommend their service!

Original review: April 11, 2018

We have been ADT customers for many years and any time I've had a question or needed assistance I've received nothing but fantastic customer service. They are attentive, professional and do everything in their power to solve the problem or answer the question the first time. Thank you for valuing me as a customer.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I've been using ADT for eight years. We have a landline so everything is set up if we have a fire or smoke or a window or door intrusion, the alarm goes off when we have it set. We have codes that they call to deactivate it or not, to have the police come. It is monitored. And we have two keypads in our house. One at the main house to the other end. Their reps were very easy to work with. I was going to cancel the monitoring service, but they made me a deal so I stuck with them. In fact, we just had the alarm go off the other day. It was rather comical, they called me and, of course, I couldn't remember our password. We had three emergency contacts and they called each one of our adult children who were all standing in the same room with me because we were at an Easter event. It was hysterical. Anyway, they called right away and I'm 100% satisfied with their service.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Customer rep was very helpful. Looked out for my best interest. Gave me a good deal on my past billing issue. Not many companies would act in the interest of their customers like he did. I was very pleased with the result.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I called just to confirm how the system should work from my phone. Everyone I have spoken with has excellent customer service and knowledge about the product. They all understand you are a consumer/a customer/a person not just a number. They ask what you want the service to do for you and then they give different ideas. They are very well trained in the products so they can explain in details with examples doing.

Original review: April 10, 2018

My wife says that we've had ADT for 25 years. We just have a basic alarm with the door sensors, the contact box, and the infrared detectors. We’ve been thinking about upgrading the cameras, but we haven’t done that yet. The representatives have been courteous. When we happened to set off the smoke detector, they called quickly and they handled the situation very well, but we’ve not actually had a real alarm yet. Also, we had a new door put in and we had a technician come out to put the alarm on it. It was a glass door and it was one of those impact doors. The technician came out and he was very helpful, and he did everything very quickly. We have all kinds of companies wanting us to change our security provider, but I just stay with ADT. I’d recommend them.

Original review: April 9, 2018

My alarm went off for some unknown reason after I had set it and left the house. I was in the driveway - hadn't even started the car when I got a call from ADT saying the alarm was triggered. This is the 2nd time it's happened (I set it from the pad on my desk and the left immediately, before the beeping stopped, yet the alarm has gone off twice. If it does it one more time I'll have ADT come out to figure it out. They are always quick to respond and a professional on the phone. They are always concerned for my safety when they call which is nice.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Upgraded our panel to cure a connectivity problem, replaced unreliable door sensors and added a sensor and control to our garage door. Our tech was very friendly, informative, and professional. I have told others of our good experience. The new system has been in about two weeks and is working flawlessly. We are thinking of adding fire protection.

Original review: April 9, 2018

They gave me notice that my alarm battery was low and needed replacement. They sent me a new battery for free and with the enclosed easy to follow instruction did the replacement myself. That was awesome! I would strongly recommend ADT to provide your residential security needs.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I am very pleased with the operation of and the quality of our alarm system, rapid response, friendly knowledgeable, agents that are very helpful and understanding. are some of the reasons why I would recommend ADT to all my friends and relatives.

Original review: April 9, 2018

We've heard about ADT way back when we got married and bought a home. We built our home in '47. I'm satisfied with ADT's service and I'm having good luck out of it. Everything has been working all right. I would tell a friend asking about ADT to get in touch with them.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I needed help resetting our system after the smoke alarm went off (my fault). I spoke to a human being immediately and he gave me easy to understand directions. No fuss no muss! We have had this system for many years and have always had excellent service!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I was notified of my alarm within a minute of the incident. New roommate used the wrong passcode after opening the door. I have had false alarms when the police was called and they were here within 4 minutes. Very satisfied with the response time.

ADT expert review by Erin Raub

Established in 1874 as a telegraph delivery company, ADT has evolved into one of the largest security providers in the United States. Offering service in all 50 states, ADT is well known for its state-of-the-art, mostly hardwired alarms, including the interactive Pulse service.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

• Best for: Homeowners, hands-off consumers and tech-savvy shoppers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

ADT Company Information