Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.11/5
Based on 2,745 ratings submitted in the last year

ADT provides home security and alarm systems to help ensure your home, family and belongings are protected from intruders and environmental disasters with features like entry sensors, motion detection smoke alarms and leak detectors. The ADT customer monitoring centers deliver 24/7 security monitoring 365 days a year and are always on call to assist in emergencies. The company offers professionally installed systems available with top-of-the-line equipment for intrusion detection, video monitoring and smart home automation.

ADT Video

BOTTOM LINE

ADT offers customized alarm and security systems with smart home automation features and 24/7 monitoring. Some ADT products have relatively short battery lives, but the systems still provide strong options for protection.

PROS

• Variety of products
  • Four available plans
  • Reliable service

CONS

• Limited video capabilities

Top ADT Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

They really helped me make the right decision so I was really pleased with the service. ... Everything went very smoothly and my system is working. ADT is a good service and a good product for my house.

It was a really good experience. ... We’re grateful that we got it and we're satisfied with what we have. I feel more safe having it. ... The system is also easy. My kids got it down. It's not hard to explain to others or others who wanna come stay over.

ADT Call Now Toll Free (844) 646-2522 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

What is ADT?

ADT is a security company that provides professional monitoring services for homes and commercial buildings across the United States. The company's home security features include 24/7 monitoring, infrared motion detectors, high-decibel alarm sirens, backup batteries, yard signs and window decals. An ADT security system requires a 36-month contract plan.

How does ADT work?

Once you activate your ADT alarm system, it can detect and report a notification, such as a crossed motion sensor, in any monitored zone within your home. If a sensor triggers, the system transmits a signal through a landline or cellular backup. ADT monitoring centers receive this alert and begin coordinating coverage until the threat is over.

Users can arm their home security systems either directly on the control panel or through the ADT app, ADT Go. ADT Go also features family location sharing, SOS emergency response and crash detection.

ADT uses Z-Wave technology to connect your smart devices, which allows you to control them seamlessly from the ADT Command mobile app. With ADT, your smartphone can lock doors, fine-tune lights, adjust thermostats, alert you to an open garage door and display video from your porch.

ADT price

The price of an ADT home security package ranges from $28.99 to $57.99 per month. Consumers can choose from several ADT home security systems packages, including:

• ADT Traditional Monitoring (around $28/month: ADT offers traditional monitoring plans fo those looking for basic protection. Additional charges may apply in areas that require guard response service for municipal alarm verification, and the system is the property of ADT. Additional terms and conditions may apply — ask a company representative for details.
  • ADT Secure (around $45/month): This package provides the essentials to help homeowners and renters protect their homes. Features include security monitoring equipment, 24/7 alarm monitoring, professional installation and monitored fire, flood and carbon monoxide detection. Available equipment includes an ADT Command touchscreen panel, window sensors, glass break sensors, motion sensors and keychain remotes.
  • ADT Smart (around $49/month): Equipment available with this package includes everything in the ADT Secure plan plus smart home automation controls, customizable alerts and the ability to arm and disarm the system remotely.
  • ADT Complete (around $57/month: ADT Complete is the most comprehensive package. Available equipment includes all the items in the ADT Smart package plus security cameras that livestream to mobile devices and can record and save video clips.

Termination fees apply for early cancellation.

ADT installation

ADT offers quick, professional installation to ensure your equipment is set up properly.

1. To prepare for your ADT alarm installation, ensure your home has power, a working phone line or Wi-Fi connection and accessible outlets near potential camera locations.
  2. On the day of the installation, technicians arrive to set up your system. In hardwired setups, installers run wires through the home to each device and sensor, including all door, window and motion sensors. Wireless home security systems are typically easier to install.
  3. Once the equipment is in place, personalize your protection with customized alerts, video monitoring and emergency alarms.

The average professional ADT installation cost varies based on the monitoring package, equipment and features you select. A 90-day warranty is available following the installation. During that time, any necessary service comes at no charge.

ADT equipment and technology

ADT customers can customize their home security packages with additional equipment. Some of ADT’s most popular equipment options include:

• Wireless keychain remotes: A solution to forgotten or mistaken codes, the ADT key fob is a convenient, one-touch system that lets you arm or disarm your home security system. This device features simple, easy-to-understand icons that help reduce false alarms. The remote also includes a panic button that communicates with ADT and local emergency services.
  • Entryway contacts: These sensors detect when someone opens a door or window while your system is armed and alert you via text message.
  • Security cameras: ADT security cameras come in both indoor and outdoor configurations. The indoor cameras work in low-light conditions and provide live or recorded video, which lets you check in on your family or pets. The outdoor cameras send clips automatically when they detect motion and work well even in low-light conditions or adverse weather like rain or snow.
  • Video doorbells: Video doorbells allow you to answer your doorbell from virtually anywhere. Whether you’re home or away, the video doorbell function on the ADT mobile app lets you view who is on your front porch in real time. These devices feature clear, high-definition video with dewarping technology and two-way audio.

ADT security FAQ

How much does ADT cost per month?
ADT's most basic monitoring plan costs $28.99 per month, and its most premium package is about $57.99, not including installation. Monitoring requires a three-year contract, and termination fees apply for consumers who break their contracts.
Can I add cameras to my ADT system?
You can add cameras to your ADT system as long as you have ADT Video. If you don't have a plan that supports cameras, you need to upgrade your service. You must add cameras one at a time, but your security system can support up to 10 cameras at any given time.
How much does ADT cost with cameras?
Monitoring rates vary per month depending on the plan you select, but cameras are $150 each.
Are ADT prices negotiable?
Customers can negotiate a new monthly rate regardless of how long they have been active users. Customers with longevity can request a loyalty discount that may lower their monthly fees.
What is ADT Command?
ADT Command is ADT's home and business automation monitoring system that allows customers to remotely arm and disarm their security systems, display video monitoring, control lights and thermostats, receive alerts and custom notifications and lock and unlock doors.
Does ADT replace batteries?
ADT offers several battery replacement options, including a self-service option. It has a battery identification page on its website that helps consumers find and order compatible batteries as well as review instructions for installation.
Does ADT offer security cameras?
Yes, ADT offers indoor and outdoor camera options. The ADT Command system hosts up to eight wireless cameras that record up to 6,000 30-second clips each month. Consumers can view camera footage live if they want to check on their home or office.
Do I own my ADT equipment?
It depends. In the event that you terminate your contract with ADT, you keep some equipment, such as the ADT control panel, but not everything.
How long does an ADT backup battery last?
The backup battery for an ADT-monitored security system lasts up to 24 hours after losing its connection to the power grid. Consumers should keep the backup battery charged to utilize it as a backup power source.
Do you need a landline for ADT?
ADT requires a landline for its traditional/basic packages.
Can I use my ADT equipment with another company?
Yes, some other companies reprogram existing control panels to work with their monitoring systems. However, it's worth asking about specific items before purchasing additional equipment in case you ever choose to terminate your ADT contract.

Is ADT worth it?

Yes, ADT is worth it. Consumers nationwide trust ADT, and it is an industry leader in security monitoring. ADT offers several products and solutions to help protect homes and families, including an easy-to-use mobile app that sends text alerts and allows consumers to control everything from their mobile devices.

ADT Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

The customer service guy I talked to on the phone was a manager. We went over different things that was available and he explained to me I would get this and I would get that. I even wrote down exactly everything he said that I was going to get. He made it sound like everything I was getting would be included and I wouldn't have to pay anything other than $99. I even asked if I had to pay anything else. He said that would be all I would have to pay and then I would get a Visa card for $100, which I understood. By the time the installer came here, he explained everything to me and I still had to pay money for the equipment. The installer left with $99 plus 500 and something on my card. I wanted ADT's service, so I was somewhat okay with that.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't know that things were going to cost as much, but even if I called and said something, ADT wasn't going to give me equipment that cost $1,500 for nothing. That man could have come all the way out here, started setting up stuff, talking to us and then when he came to say, "Well, this is how much it is," I could have looked at him and said, "I wasn't told that. I don't have $1,500." He would have had to leave with nothing. He would have also lost all his time, probably his commission or service call and then had to go on to his next one.

I have three payments of over $500, which I wasn't expecting. That had nothing to do with the installer though. The guy was great. He was here when he said he was going to be. It took about the amount of time that he told me it was going to take. He explained to me everything he was doing before he did it. He gave me options on the different places to put the cameras. He asked me and my husband of what we thought as far as input on where he was going to put the cameras or what our needs were, which was really big. I didn't want him just to come in and put them where he wanted. I had an idea of where I wanted things and then he told me whether they would work or not. The guy knew exactly what he was doing and he was very pleasant and professional. He explained everything thoroughly and he gave me a brochure. He also gave me a number to call him back if I had any questions or problems.

I like the features the system has, but I wish the panel board had something other than just a blue display. My other system had different pictures that was displayed. Also, our home is in a secluded area and I like the service of the camera because I can check my camera inside or outside. I travel many weeks out of the year into different states and countries. I need to be able to look and see that my home is being protected when it needs to be protected, so I appreciate the service. However, if the situation gets to where I don't feel comfortable or I'm not getting the coverage that I want, then I would find something else. I switched from another company that I had been with for almost nine years to come to ADT.

I still have a contract with the other company and I'm still paying it, but I left them because I wasn't getting the service and quality that I was expecting to get or was promised. When I called the other company on more than one occasion, I had to wait over 20 minutes to get assistance and that's not acceptable. My husband and I are up an age and that wait could have been detrimental. I could have had something happen, especially now, when you've got COVID and someone stops breathing. If I hit a panic alarm and nobody responds to me, that was not going to work. Somebody could have come in and taken all the stuff, and I would have not been able to do something. If I'm paying for a service, I expect it to be there.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

I reached a contractor and I thought I was calling ADT. They gave me a plan that they could do for this particular house I needed to put it on. It was a lot of upfront money that they could give me to put in a system and I couldn't make a decision at that time for various reasons. I had several companies in mind and then, ADT called me a couple of more times wanting the appointment. I told the rep I couldn't at that time because I wasn't at that location. They finally called me back and they said they could make an appointment and then, I could just decide.

The money was there so we could use it for equipment and it would be under no obligation. I would pay a small fee and then, we could decide that day. If I didn't want it, there was no money out of pocket and if I did, we would proceed. I hesitantly still didn't wanna do it. I still wasn't in the frame of mind to do it for various reasons but I was there in that area. I almost canceled it but I allowed the young man to come and he discussed with me what all could be done. It took me quite a while to decide. I didn't want a contract at all but knew that I needed some security there.

Based on what the representative went over with me and the way he was listening, he seemed genuinely concerned about what my concerns were and my reasons for needing it there. I discussed it with my husband who wasn't there and we thought that it would be better to go this route instead of with SimpliSafe. ADT has the legal provisions to put up cameras on a property if you had an interior one. The rep educated me on some things and that day I decided to do it because I needed the security there at that property and needed some smoke alarms and things like that tied in. But I would've liked to have known that the rep was a contractor and not with ADT at that time. He has since told me that they have bought that company. So, they are a part of it. Still, I would have liked more upfront transparency as to that.

I wanted a panel that you could see. I was with another company at my other house and with Vivint, you could see everything on that panel. I wanted that because my mom is there and she's older. So, using phones and tablets were not gonna be suitable. If you put in a camera, you wanna be able to see who's coming up the driveway not only with your phone. Also, my mom called me and she had some issues on what we thought were going on and things weren't registering on my phone. It took the rep a week to go back there and I didn't like that because sometimes you need these things to be taken care of right away. My husband and I are military and we were gone, and I can't leave that location all the time. I dealt with it that week but I needed some quickness to resolve my concerns.

Overall, the experience was good. 12 years ago, I was with ADT at that house and the experience was horrible, which was why I never wanted to go back with ADT again. They kept offering and I explained that I had terrible customer service when I had them before. They were so unfriendly that it makes you not wanna even call them for anything. They assured me that the customer service is not like that anymore so that prompted me to try them again. On my first experience, I didn't recommend ADT to anybody but my new experience all these years later has been positive. I would recommend on my new experience.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I grew up with ADT and my father and I loved it. It was secured. I saw that they had a special for $28 online. So I called them up and had a rep come over the house and he discussed the system that I needed for the house. A lot of bad things happened to my house and I needed some kind of security. So it would be nice to get into detail with them. I loved the system that they got and I wanted to put it in. Also, it was only for 28 bucks a month. I told the rep that I was looking for a package deal. The security that I have inside the house is 100% excellent and I love it. But it is only gonna help me inside the house, so I also need cameras outside. The ADT salesman said that their special was for inside only. The price would come out over $4,000. So I told him that I didn't know if I could afford it.

The salesman said that they were giving the system for free. All I had to do was to do what I wanted inside the house and they could do the cameras once they got the house done. I didn't get a labor bill to install the alarm system and I did get the system for free. I was freaking out and when I got done, I told my neighbors to call ADT and grab their special. My house is secured. I'd walk in the house and then I'd go for the panel really quickly. I love this system. I need security especially with this epidemic and I have them.

Now, this is the problem. The salesman told me that if he put cameras on the house, he would put ADT in a liability. He couldn't put ADT cameras. So I asked what he would recommend and he told me to go to any hardware store and pick the best system that I could possibly afford. Then I would have to make an appointment and they would send a guy over and hook it up for me. I also told him that I didn't have internet service so he told me to specifically ask for a system that could be connected without WiFi internet. So I bought the best system at Home Depot and it was called Night Owl. I then called and they transferred me to this woman. The lady set up an appointment to have a technician come to my house. She also asked if I bought the system that I wanted because I told them that I didn't have internet WiFi and that was what I bought. It was a four-camera with some kind of monitor that didn't need WiFi internet.

Now, the guy, Michael, showed up and he said that they would only deal with ADT equipment. I shouldn't have bought the cameras. He told me that no technician was gonna show up and hook up the system that I got and that I should call the ADT office immediately. So there was a misunderstanding here. I got the right system but the salesman that I spoke to lied to me. Michael is an excellent employee. I learned something knowledgeable and he didn't finger point or anything. He said that I should've gone with the ADT cameras when they came over the house to put in the system. He also confirmed that I did get the system for free.

I called ADT and they told me that they wouldn't hook up anything from any store that didn't have their name on it. They said that I had been mishandled and they would take care of it for me. I had been on the phone trying to figure out why I had to pay for the internet. I gotta pay for a monthly payment that went from 28 to like $70 a month.

What knocked me off my feet was that Michael said that he could send a guy over and hook up the system. The technician would come over and hook up for cameras as quickly as possible because they saw that I needed it because of the tampering and robberies that I had. But it would be for 1,800. Another guy said 2,000. The cheapest one to hook up the cameras for my house within the next couple of days was $1,500. I almost keeled over. I was made to feel good that I didn't owe $4,000 for the system inside the house. But now, I would need $2,000 for a guy to come over to put ADT cameras. I need to get my cameras in the house but I can't afford $1,800 or $2,200.

Original review: July 2, 2020

ADT is well-known and after I talked with the first gal, I was told that she wasn't completely right about a lot of stuff and I didn't think she was. I even disagreed with her. She asked if I had landline here and I told her that I did but it was dead and not hooked up. She said that the system would work with it anyway but I told her that it was not possible. She was getting it confused with a wireless system but she was really sweet. Plus, she answered my questions. I told her that I didn't want a whole lot and I don't require a whole lot. I mainly wanted an alarm to sound when I'm gone. I also think that the signs will do their job more than anything around this area. I like my neighbors and they seem very nice. But I got the system to be sensible. And I don't want somebody who happen to be drunk to come into the wrong house because I’m going to get them.

The rep who came out was very nice as well. We didn't do a whole lot of going through stuff but he was here a while because I was trying to explain what I didn't want and I didn't want much of anything. I got bare-bones but the prices were outrageous. I've got two glass-breaking things, the stuff on the doors for opening and closing, to arm and disarm it, and the two doors going into the garage. Then the desktop thing but I haven't used it. I don't know if they got notified but it's never been turned on.

The guy that put the system was very nice, too. I thought of a lot of things after he left and there was nothing about that situation, other than the fact that I've never had a security system before. But I'm in an area where there are a lot of sirens going off, which I'm not used to. Then at some point when we get done with the house, I'm gonna be taking trips and I don't wanna have to worry about my house being robbed. I also love the ADT signs and the stickers.

Initially, I had a $2500 system here and I didn't like it. It needed a landline and AT&T screwed me over. They were gonna do voice over internet and it wouldn't work with the system. So, I fired AT&T because they're idiots. I called them four different times and told them that I needed a landline. Then, the guy showed up a month later and said he was putting in a voice over internet. But I told him that he wasn't and that I gave them four times to do it. I also told him that they hire people that have really low IQ or are not listening. It also seems like so many companies don't want to ever be contacted by the customers. We pay them money, but they never wanna speak with us in person. So, they make it really difficult. I spent oodles and oodles of time on hold trying to get through to anybody.

Other than that, I am concerned that if I leave and the dogs are here, then I arm the system and something goes wrong, it's gonna kill my dogs. It's gonna drive their ears nuts, so I won't do that with them here. If I go on vacation, that'd be the only time that I use the system. I go down to Oakland because we're selling a house down there. I stay sometimes for four days and I'll arm the system then. But there won't be any animals in the house. Aside from that, there are no motion sensors, so I don't have to worry about that.

I also have a manual fire thing, the panic button, and the two little key fobs. I was told by their rep that for my benefit, it's just the walk-in doors in the garage and not the garage doors that will set that off. Then, I contacted the city and I paid for a permit. They sent me a code that has to be used for the police if they show up and I've got so many times that I can use it before they start charging me for bad calls. But I still don't know what will happen if I'm away and the alarm goes off.

Original review: June 4, 2020

I had used ADT about 15 years ago when we lived in Alabama and then we moved. We’ve moved around and then, recently, we purchased a house that had it and I didn’t activate it. In the process of trying to figure out which system I wanted to got to, I researched SimpliSafe and I knew about ADT and I would add something. I didn’t have a whole lot of information that made me feel secure going with something like SimpliSafe because from what I understand, you can simply unplug it and the system goes down, which is what I didn’t want to happen. I went back to ADT and at the time I was doing the research, I got a flyer in the mail and so I went with that and called.

The lady was very helpful and she explained a lot. She told me about the flyer promotion that I got and if the system was still a valid system in the home, we can have all these additional credits and things for additional pieces of equipment. They were very thorough. At the time it was all happening during COVID and we had been exposed so I wasn’t letting anybody in the house. She gave me a reference number to call back when things were ready, which I did. But before I could call back, I kept getting these phone calls saying they were calling to install our system. I hadn’t agreed to anything just yet and the guy was supposed to come out, show me the equipment, check my system, tell me what my pricing would be, and then I’d go forward. I was a little confused by that.

I called and gave my reference number. The lady that answered was very helpful. She said she doesn’t know why they said they were installing but they were just gonna come out and tell us everything. So we scheduled the time and the gentleman came out. He came out with the impression that he was installing that day, so certain information was not relayed down to him. But he walked through everything and ultimately we went with the system and he put it in that day. A lot more than what he intended because we pretty much put the window sensors in every window in our house plus all doors. It was a lengthy installation, to say the least, because the system was outdated.

He was counting everything and I specifically asked if he got all the doors, to which he said yes. But my front porch has two front doors, one in the front and one kinda on the side of the porch like a side entry, and I touched it and asked if he got that door. He said yes but when he got everything installed and was asking to walk us through everything, I looked up and I said I didn't see a door sensor on that one. He had it on my garage door. And he said he didn’t think I wanted one on that one since we keep that one locked. We put sensors on all the other doors that were external doors, why would I not want it on that one? But he couldn’t just add one because it had already been processed and paid. I said if he could take off the one on the garage door because I have the garage and then the door into the house, so if I got to choose between the two, let’s put it in the most external door. So he took it off, he changed it.

I didn’t think too much about it and he said he would just add another one to the garage door later. Over the last week or so that I’ve had it, we set the alarm, we leave, and we come back in. And it’s a new thing for us, so sometimes I forget that it is on. But I come in and do all kinds of stuff. Then, I realize I didn't turn the alarm off and I go back in there and it’s still armed. It bothered me that I was all the way to where the recliner and the couch is and there’s a motion sensor right there and nothing happened. We're gonna call the tech back and tell him something’s not right. For me to get that far into the house and nothing goes off is a little scary to me.

The ultimate point was we protected everything so that people wouldn’t get in if they tried a window or a door. We even got the little vibration thing on the window and we’ve got glass breaks. If they got in, the motion sensor would catch it. But I don’t know if it’s working or not and I didn’t really want to open the front door and make it alarm, because we set it to where it would dispatch police before the contact me. I’m a little leery to open the door and make it go off. Other than that, it’s fine. I had it before and I know it works.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

We got burglarized while having ADT and they did not call the police until after my husband did. Instead they just left an audible voicemail that they did not all the police. The burglars must have laughed. Also our alarm was not. We got burglarized while having ADT and they did not call the police until after my husband did. Instead they just left an audible voicemail that they did not call the police. The burglars must have laughed. Also our alarm was not audible because after one of their service visits, they forgot to turn it on. After all our damage, they did not even compensate us their premiums. NEVER use them. Not a good company!!! Because after one of their service visits, they forgot to turn it on. After all our damage, they did not even compensate us their premiums. NEVER use them. Not a good company!!!

ADT response

Veronika- We're terribly sorry to learn of your break in and are glad to hear everyone is OK! We would love to review your experience and concerns with you directly if you could please email our team directly at Alwaysthere@adt.com along with a reference to your review and the full address in which the services are located. ~ Thank you

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

I been customer of ADT for 2 years, this is the first time I have a complaint about one their products, I was trying to get fix an small security camera that I bought with my package, and they want to charge me to fix it, it may sound fair to charge, but is not. We the client are paying top money for their services and they can't fix a camera? Waiting anxious to finish this contract.

ADT response

Hello Sebastian- Thank you for choosing ADT to protect your home and for letting us know about the experience that you have had. There is a $25 trip fee associated with your maintenance plan if you have a system issue. We are happy to waive it as a one-time courtesy. Please reach out to us to set up the appointment at alwaysthere@adt.com. Please include your account information and include your post. -Jackie

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Updated on 01/09/2021: ADT has acknowledged that I was told 4 times about the 90 money back satisfaction guarantee and that I signed the install tech's cell phone where they claim the guarantee was reduced to 3 days from 90. While I was not advised of this change since I just signed for the install on a cell phone, they acknowledge that also. However while I am dissatisfied with the service and equipment less than 10 days after install, poor service and non working equipment, they have had Julius contact me 3 times since my review and he will not agree to the 90 day term while he acknowledge it was told to me. I have advised ADT to come get their equipment, they will not unless I agree to pay 75% of the contract which I will not. DONT TRUST ADT!

Original Review: When being sold my ADT plan, I was informed of the 90 day money back guarantee, it was set up at the basic rate but if I wanted the upgraded equipment, tell the tech and he will provide and move me to the next level of payment. The appointment time was sent to me via email at 12:00am so we didn't know when the tech would arrive. The tech showed up, no ID, no mask and no ladder, he climbed some shelves and my couch to put on sensors. We had to ask him to put on a mask since Covid restrictions. I did ask for the upgrade equipment which I received the monthly charge for but was told I don't get the upgraded equipment, that would be extra $ another lie from ADT.

After the install he asked me to sign his cell phone confirming the install which I did and he verbally confirmed the 90 day money back guarantee. Four people confirmed to me the 90 day money back guarantee; the salesperson, the install tech, the 1st person I called for assistance and the next tech who confirmed it was a poor install, understood my frustration and would advise his manager I wanted to cancel.

The system didn't work, sensors were falling off windows, the alarm would go off when not armed and opening the front door set off a tamper alarm. ADT advised to troubleshoot on our own then frustrated I exercised my right to cancel based on them not delivering a working system. They sent a tech out who confirmed it was a bad install and the software was not working properly, I told him I wanted to cancel and he said he would let his manager know, it was a bad install and within my money back guarantee.

The next day, I heard nothing back so I called the cancellation number that was provided to me. I was passed back and forth between 7 different people, some not wanting to deal with it and some that were pure nasty that I started to lose my temper. These people informed me that when I signed on the cell phone for the install that was a new term contract that only allowed 3 days from signing to cancel. I explained that the system didn't work and I lost trust in the system and what was communicated to me 4 times about the 90 day money back guarantee.

They accepted that I was told that, confirmed that the system was not functional as they could see the error messages in their system but would not release me from the contract unless I paid 75% of the total contract. They were argumentative, didn't care, acknowledged the system failure, acknowledged what I was told but were only interested in my money.

I went up to the corporate office where I met the most nasty of people. Michelle Employee # **, Khyler Employee # **, Julius Employee # ** to name a few with some customer friendly professional people like Gabrielle #** who sent a note to the local office mentioning the poor install and the request to cancel. I never heard from the local office. I received a few calls from them re-iterating the same conversation over and over. They all acknowledge what I was told about the 90 day money back guarantee, acknowledge my attempts to cancel but advised me that they didn't have to deliver a working system so that the 90 day money back guarantee could be executed. They actually said this.

What they wanted to do was to continue to send tech out as much as possible but would not release me from the contract because I was 10 days into the contract and the new terms from the cell phone signature of 3 days. In addition, they tried to play a recording of a survey which was difficult to hear with 2 women discussing the install the day of the install. I believe this to be a doctored call, the only phone number they confirmed on file was my cell phone number and they did not have my wife's. I highly recommend using another company or do it on your own. I have read reviews about ADT and the deceptive practices since my bad experience. I am only 3 weeks into the service, have yet to put the alarm on, mistrust ADT 100% and warn all consumers not to do business with ADT.

ADT response

Hello James- Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and for letting us know about your experience. We are so sorry to hear about this. We see that you are working with management team member Julius. We have reached out to him to be sure that he is following up with you.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I had a house fire and ADT is forcing me to pay them 610.00 dollars for a disaster that is out of anyone's control. They are making me pay for contract being broken. Nice of them to add to a disaster by trying to make a hardship into a financial hardships on top of a disaster, all I can say is get your security from another company. ADT is a bunch of thieves.

ADT response

Hello James- Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We are so sorry to hear about the fire to your home. We hope everyone is doing ok and is safe. We are happy to help you with this. Please send us any documentation that you have relating to the fire at alwaysthere@adt.com. Please include your account information and include your post.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Purchased an ADT Home Security system with outdoor cameras to monitor a family member with dementia who is roaming. Two issues with the ADT system are:

1) The security system uses a quick arm feature that does not require a code to enable. This will allow a confused family member or children to arm the system, where the system will go off and the monitoring folks will call. Poor feature where the passcode should be required to arm as well as disarm the system.

2) The outdoor security cameras which the salesman ensured me would capture people day or night is only useful in the daytime. This leaves night use of the cameras as totally useless. In addition, the installer placed one camera just above the furnace exhaust where this as well as blowing snow keeps the camera in constant alert for phone app notifications. In other words, a continuous stream of false alarms from the furnace exhaust and/or blowing snow keeps my phone app in constant alert. Now if I take the time to move the cameras in a location that may work, I now have holes in the siding of the house where the cameras were mounted by ADT.

Do yourself a favor and buy a dedicated camera system from Costco and mount them yourself so you're not locked into a 36 month monitoring plan with a worthless system.

ADT response

Hi James! We're so sorry about this! The motion activated cameras should work both at night and during the day. If these are issues that are occurring where they are not activating, we suggest calling our tech team directly at 1 800 238 2727 so we can work on resolving this for you asap. Thank you!- Tim L

ADT Company Information