It's that easy Request Information
1.39/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

8033 ADT Consumer Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I used to be an alarm installer/inspector and when that business closed, I heard about ADT but never thought about it. About three years ago, we've been having a lot of break-ins around here and I told my wife it was time that we put an alarm system in. I called up ADT and they came over. I was getting ads or cards in the mail saying, "Install this. Get this for this. Your panel is free," and any additional, so we added a lot more than what they offered. We needed all our windows and doors done except just a few, so we did the whole ball of wax and was done with it.

The installation team knew what they were doing. We have all our windows and doors to our underlay and we have smoke and carbon monoxide detection through ADT, which is hooked up to it in the basement and upstairs, panic buttons, and breakage. When you break a window, it's detected in the basement and in the garage. The service is great. I call in and do a test. When I had problems, they sent people out. We would open up a door and it wouldn't work and we were having problems with the detectors and stuff, so they came out and solved all my problems with no charge.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The ADT sales representative was very good. I got the package that included the alarm and fire. During the installation, my wife was there. However, I should have been there as well to tell the crew how I would have liked them to install the system as the job looked like it was done too fast. Still, the system is exactly what I wanted and it works. ADT monitors my house and I'm secure.

One time years ago, my wife went out with my son shopping. She forgot something on the stove and the fire alarm was blinking. ADT called the fire department and the fire department came here to take care of the situation. After that, thank God, I never needed them. Nevertheless, every time I call or if I call to test my alarm, everybody at ADT has been pleasant and helpful.

Overall, my experience with ADT has been very good and staying with them all these years means I’m happy with them. However, my wife who was disabled for years died from lung cancer. The bills are astronomical and I have to cut corners for cost. I’m 71 years old and already retired. ADT rate keeps going up and up all the time and they don’t have a senior discount. Although I like the company and I’m satisfied with the service, I might not be able to afford it any longer. So I was very strongly thinking that I might cancel their service because of that. Still, I strongly recommend ADT.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

ADT is a good company. I enjoy it because the fee is good and comparable. I had it in another house in the area and I transferred it over to the house in ’07. ADT’s smart features are not hard to work with. Whenever I dealt with ADT people, they were very professional. I called them when I needed to know how to do something and they explained it to me. There was one time that I called them on the telephone to let them know that I was gonna have some lights done on my house. They thanked me and they were happy that I let them know about it. They also listen to what I am asking them. Their people are very helpful, knowledgeable and very courteous to me.

I got sick one time and I didn’t want to call my daughter. Instead, I pushed the button and the fire department was out here immediately like Johnny on the spot. They helped me to get my daughter on the phone so she could come here to see about me. And if I forgot to the turn the alarm off, they will call me immediately to make sure I’m okay. ADT is reliable. I’m trying to get my sister to change as she always has some issues with her company.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I've been with ADT for 20 years now and I'm happy with what I got in my system. I went wireless and got the fire alarm, and ADT has treated me fairly. They are very prompt. If I need them, they make time and they come. When I call the customer service, they send somebody out to Tallahassee. The technicians have been prompt, friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. The two I've met have been wonderful.

One time the battery on the motion detector went out. I have three houses in the surrounding area and I have maintenance on the system in Alabama. The lady I talked to told me that they don't cover replacement batteries, but they do on my Alabama one. She said I have to do it myself, so I told her that she had to get on the line with me when I went get the batteries. She told me she'd walk me through it. The system was behind my TV in a corner high up, and I had to get a little step ladder and crawl behind the TV. She told me exactly what to do and I did it, and I was very appreciative of that.

Original review: July 25, 2018

When I first started with ADT, my nephew was selling them. I was originally in Midway, and when I moved, I got ADT down here and there was a man that came and sold me the service down here. I don’t have a lot of extras other than my security system but I’m happy with it. It makes me feel good to know that I can go to bed at night and not have to worry. Also, I love that I can set the mobile app or take it off when I’m not at home.

However, the system kept going down right after we moved in. I couldn’t set it from the remote. I thought I was setting it from the control panel but I wasn’t. ADT sent somebody out here who tinkered with it and said it had a key mobile chip in it and it needed a Verizon chip because it would pick up better. That lasted a little bit of time and the same thing started happening again. I don’t know what was going on with ADT but they had some folks on loan. There were two of them who came that day. One man told me he was from Florida and he was sent up here. He worked a couple of weeks before going back home. He found that my old house in Midway had the number and everything was still in the computer system. He went through a process and once he got that out of the system, I’ve never had any more problems with it. I would highly recommend ADT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 19, 2019

They call after 7 everyday. And sometimes start cussing at you. Over 75 dollars at I already paid. System hasn’t worked in over a year and still make me pay every month. Had a fire at my house that I set the alarm off. They didn’t called in for about 30 minutes for the fire department. They were there already. That’s bad when I got the alarm for my disabled wife. They aren’t worth to have.

ADT response

Hello Sam- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had. Please reach out to us at alwaysthere@adt.com with your phone number and address. Please also include your post so we can address your concern. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2019

I just purchased my new home and got a call about a great offer for me since I’m a new homeowner. I just settled on my house and wasn’t even fully moved in just yet. No internet, TV, or phone in the house. He ended up throwing in a free wireless camera and smoke detector along with the standard burglar package for 27.99 a month and all free equipment. I thought it was a great deal, even though this was not the first thing on my list to do. So, I thought I’d get it since it was a great deal as he said over & over.

The next day the techs came out and put all their equipment on my living room table explaining every piece. Stuff that I wasn’t planning on getting they were trying to sell more stuff to me. I explained I wanted what I signed up for and they then asked me what I signed up for like they didn’t have a record. They tried charging me for the equipment, which was supposed to be free and that I now had to pay 52.99 a month because I didn’t have a home phone. I told them then that I didn’t want it then, that this was all false information because the sales guy never even mentioned about me needing a home phone for that price and he offered me the free wireless camera too with the 27.99 price, so all this information was incorrect.

They then said I could call in within 30 days when I get my home phone and internet and they would then downgrade me for free. Well I called in yesterday to downgrade to the price I was quoted 27.99 and I won’t be receiving any wireless camera now since that package isn’t included in my price. Oh, and if I did want the wireless camera there would be a 299.99 activation fee! I’m so through with ADT and I’ve been dealing with enough right now moving and buying a new house. This is the last thing I wanted to be going through! I will tell everyone I know about my experience with you guys because it’s not right and definitely not integral to treat and lie to people to get new installations out! I would cancel my service, but now I have to pay 75% of my contract since it’s been past 72 hours installed!

ADT response

Hello Allison- We are sorry to hear of your experience. Congrats on your new home. We have located your account and show that your installation was performed by our Authorized Dealer Defender Security. We have reached out to there management team on your behalf. Please allow 24 business hours for a follow up call. -Jackie

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have been a paying customer of ADT alarms for over 7 years. I have recently bought a home with an already existing alarm and needed to cancel service. I was told by ADT it would be over $520 to cancel. This is absolutely ridiculous to be charged for leaving after over 7 years. I will recommend that all my friends switch companies as soon as possible.

ADT response

Hello Mark- We are sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you for being a long time customer. We are happy to help. Please reach out to us. Please include your phone number, address and post. Please also include your letter of cancellation, including your account information, reason for cancellation and signature. -Jackie

Original review: July 17, 2019

Over the past 4 weeks I have had numerous conversations with ADT over the account of my recently deceased parents. During each conversation I was provided direction on things I needed to do, all of which I immediately acted upon. During each phone call I was told that that I would be contacted by ADT within 48 to confirm completion of their follow-up actions. Obviously, my one star rating is indicative of the fact that ADT has absolutely failed in ever completing any of their follow-up actions or any attempt at customer communication. Let me also state for the purpose of this post, I have satisfied all ADT security concerns regarding me contacting them in regards to my parents' account, so that is not the issue. I personally use ADT in my home as well and starting to seriously consider if I want to continue with them after being a customer for over 15 years.

ADT response

Hello Michael- We are sorry to hear of the difficulty you have had when attempting to cancel your deceased parents account. We are sorry to hear of your loss. Please reach out to us. Please include the account information as well as the death certificate we are happy to get the account cancelled for you. -Jackie

Original review: July 13, 2019

I originally called ADT due to a promotion they were having for $27.99. Made an appointment with an installer based on this price. The installer came in and it turns out that the account representative Josh ** with a company called Defender which was running the promotion failed to tell us that the promotion is only for service with a landline. The real price was going to be $59.99. I spoke with a representative at Defender and they not only did not apologize for not informing us of what the promotion price included - they insisted that we heard it wrong. Despite my better judgment I proceeded with the installation knowing that I still had 36 hours to cancel.

I then called the ADT corporate office the next business day to complain letting them know that I wanted to cancel the service. They were sympathetic and promised me a discount so that my bill would now be $19.99 for 6 months. I was happy with this deal thinking that the corporate office of ADT had anything to do with my contract.

After about 3 weeks I receive a bill for the full price not the $19.99 I had been promised. I proceeded to call the ADT corporate office. They did have the notes pertaining to my discount. They said that all I needed to do was call Defender and let them know. Long story short after speaking to about 10 different people at Defender and ADT corporate I was informed that I could in fact not receive the discount. Not only was I lied to when I originally signed up with Defender I was lied to by ADT later when I still had time to cancel their service. I have never dealt with this level of customer service. They act like they hate their customers. I wish that I was with my old security company, dealing with them was 100 times better.

ADT response

Hello Maria- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 13, 2019

Paid $1300 for the system. 3 days after the installation 2 of the window sensors fell off. I attempted to contact the rep who installed the system with the number he provided and he never responded to any of the multiple messages I left. I then called the ADT 1800 number. 3 different appointments were made and no one showed or called. I have been waiting for 2 weeks for a manager or supervisor to call after I left my information about the missed appointments and requested a return call. At this point I want the system out of my house. I have spoken with customer service indicating this and am shuffled between different people on the phone for extended periods of time nearly an hour each call. I'm told a manager will call me back at the conclusion of each of these calls but as of yet...no callback. I chose ADT because they claim to be the largest and best at home security. I'm so disappointed.

ADT response

Hello Paul- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I got promo in mail for $27.99. Called and sales guy promised if I signed up they wanted to make me happy and would give me $200 worth of anything I wanted off the truck. I found out later he was LYING!!! REALLY? I told the guys when they tried to get me in a higher contract I only wanted the $27.99. I saw 27.99 on the papers but when I got bank statement they had charged me $56!! I immediately went to cancel, which you have to sign paper and take to post office. I am now waiting to see what crap I have to go thru.

I called numerous times and got put on hold and transferred all over the place and hung up on many times. I am so pissed at this company. I can't believe they are not shut down. I hope someone stops them or sues them, but if not, DO NOT USE THEM. YOU WILL BE LIED TO AND ALL THEIR SALES PEOPLE AND SERVICE PEOPLE DO NOT CARE ONE BIT. Never try to get you to stay or help you out. STAY AWAY Please.

ADT response

Hello Ann- We're very sorry to hear of your experience with your ADT Authorized Dealer! If you could email our team directly with a reference to your review and the address in which the system is located we would be happy to review this further and reach out to the Authorized Dealer on your behalf.~ Eileen

Original review: July 12, 2019

I had a system installed under a special "deal" in May of 2018 and in June our house was hit by a tree. The person I spoke with did suspend our service through September but when I asked to have the system serviced and reinstalled after returning to our home I was quoted $152/half hour for service. Have been paying for the system for a year that is not functional and have got the runaround after repeated long hold times with customer service. The system was installed by a third party who tried to guilt sell us $8,000+ worth of upgrade equipment that you could purchase from NEST for less than $1,000. It's a scam and a rip-off. Patrick

ADT response

Hello Patrick- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 11, 2019

We moved in the house in December 2018 just before Christmas, the first thing we added in January was the ADT Pulse security system. In our cul-de-sac we not have AT&T signal, cause the tower is too far. Technician who came to install was aware of this. He still programmed the panel to AT&T tower. Since we have wireless system, it never connected to monitoring station. We did not realize until July of 2019, we actually needed it and they never received any alarms, After a lot of hassle with the customer service, they agreed to change the whole installation and connect to Verizon tower. Had to take a day off from work for them to reinstall.

When I called ADT to get credit for all those month when I was not monitored, out of 6 months they offered us only 1 month of credit. We had a false sense of security and we paid $50 every month while we were not even monitored. To make things worse the customer service manager was very rude and obnoxious. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS ADT SECURITY. IT IS NOT GOOD AT ALL.

Original review: July 11, 2019

We moved to the Huntsville, Alabama area and called the 256-850-4352 ADT Security Service. They give you the impression that they are the local dealer. But you are really talking to someone out of state/country. They were not able to give us an installation appointment for 3 weeks (ridiculous). We were put on their cancellation list hoping they could fit us in. We called several days in a row trying get on their schedule but had no success. This company places you on hold multiple times as you are waiting for the salesperson to fill out info, respond to questions, etc.. I know this sounds paranoid but after listening to their propaganda and how they describe how terrifying it is to live without a substantial "ADT SECURITY" system to protect you and your loved ones it would even make the Commander of the US Army nervous if he did not have a security system in his home. I truly believe this is their sales scare tactic.

A gentleman from Safe Haven ADT Security (local dealer) knocked on our door the day we were moving in. We told him that we were nervous because we were leaving town the next day and didn't want to leave the home unsecured. I thought he was from the original corporate office. I explained the situation to him and because he was a local dealer he said they work with their own installers and he was ACTUALLY able to get an installer to our house in 45 minutes. Problem solved- we were getting the security system installed prior to leaving town! So I called the original ADT company and cancelled the order because they could not give us a reasonable installation date. This is where things get REALLY FRUSTRATING. We did not have a contract with the ADT corp office, they did not take a deposit and nothing was signed.

But according to a "dealer" agreement....if you even call any ADT dealer in an area and give them your address--they OWN YOU! They have this policy in place so It prohibits you from shopping around and getting the best deal you can--that's BS. But In our case it meant that even though we were able to find a local dealer to install the system sooner (actually the day we moved) the ADT Corp had a 90 day hold on OUR property without any CONTRACT. You (as a homeowner) are prohibited from hiring any ADT dealer to install a system even if they can do it much sooner or cheaper if it’s not the very first contact you make with the company. By the way-- most local dealers will give you a much better deal (another thing I learned) than the corporate office. ADT must not really believe all the BS they make you listen to while on "hold" or they would want me- their customer to protect my home as soon as possible????

So I had an authorized installer in my house for 1 1/2 hours waiting to get the greenlight from his dealership to begin installing. He waited until 5:30 because he actually felt bad that ADT CORPORATE was doing this to us.. A "customer service" rep explained there was a 90 day hold on our house from any ADT dealer because of the initial call we made not because of any contract. I was also told that there was not a manager or supervisor available that could release the 90 day hold. The last "customer service" rep I talked to told me the best thing I could do is to go to Brinks Security (ADT's direct competitor) to have the system installed. This is where I hold ADT liable.

I had an authorized installer in my house, the system could have been installed and I could have been protected. But of course it wasn't because of their 90 day hold policy. It was 5:30 in the evening, even if I called Brinks there is no way they could have sent someone to install their system that day. E. ** at ADT.com is suppose to be my contact at the corporate office to help me with this. You guessed it.... He has not returned a call or email. This company is happy to collect all of our month;y monitoring fees but completely unhelpful if a customer needs assistance. Karin **

Original review: July 10, 2019

ADT is still charging me even though I’ve explained to them multiple times that my home was totaled during Hurricane Michael, and I am now living in a camper. They won’t let me cancel without paying over $900 in cancellation charges, even though I have no other choice but to stop their services. It’s absolutely terrible what they will do to people in our position. I wonder how many more are in the same boat....

ADT response

Hello Michael- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had and what you have been through with the hurricane. Please reach out to us. Please include your phone number, address and post. If possible provide us with any documentation showing that the home was totaled. -Jackie

Original review: July 10, 2019

I called ADT and Defender/Retailer showed up. I requested the touch screen panel that I saw online and when they came to install the equipment, they claimed that they don't have it. I called customer service 2 days before expiration date to cancel my contract because I was misled and given false information. Management convinced me to keep the service by offering me free upgrades. I scheduled an appointment to install the cameras and door keypad and doorbell. The technician never showed or called. I called customer service more than 3 times, no one could give me an explanation.

I called ADT corporate and Defender to cancel my service once again and they claimed that I signed a three year contract and cannot cancel. They told me that I have to pay 75% on top of what I've already paid in order to grant my wish. They expect me to pay over $3000.00 for service that aren’t rendered. They advertised 6 months 100% customer satisfactory guaranteed or your money back. But, when I wish to cancel they can't honor that. Little did I know, if you accept their free stuff you are locked in regardless if they failed to deliver or show up to confirmed appointments.

Each time I called customer service they hung up in my face, transferred me to dead end and won’t give me the complaint department contact information. ADT/Defender is the worst company out there. Don’t depend on them to service or protect your home. I will advise people to do their research before welcoming this company into their home. They are dishonest, rude, unreliable, bad customer service and fraudulent. Beware, they will lure you with free stuff until it’s too late to cancel. They only care about a piece of paper call contract and don’t care about their customers.

ADT response

Hello Sinecia- We're sorry to hear of the trouble with your ADT Authorized Dealer Defender Security and would be more than happy to assist you further. Defender Security is a separate entity than ADT with their own package and pricing offers separate from ADT Corporate.

Defender Security holds your contract and installs the equipment while ADT provides the monitoring services.Please email our Team directly with a reference to your review and the account information so that we may assist you further.~ Eileen

Original review: July 10, 2019

We just had our system installed on July 6, 2019. July 7, 2019 I called in for someone to come look at our doorbell camera because we were unable to hear the people outside when they spoke to us thru the camera. The recorded clips played very loud audio feedback that made it very hard to listen to the video clips. I was told when I called that someone would reach out within 24 - 48 hours to set up an appointment. I called in July 09, 2019 and was on hold for 2 hours and transferred about 7 - 8 times.

When I asked for steps to go about cancelling my account because I was frustrated with service and we were brand new customers, I was told that today would be the last day to do so without getting charged the termination fee. Mind you, when I called in for a quote I was told that I would have to pay $99 to hold the appointment and it would not cost me a thing if I decided not to go with ADT. I was also told that I would be charged $299.00 for full installation but that it would not be the full $299.00. They were going to minus the $99 I already paid (which was $108.41 in all with taxes). All I would have to pay was the $200 to set it all up. They were also going to give us about $850 in FREE equipment. I informed them I was looking to get 4 cameras installed and was told that it was $139 per camera but that they would give me $478 of free equipment for cameras. No such thing happened.

The guy who came to install our system told us otherwise. Quoted us at $1700+ for 1 doorbell camera, 1 indoor camera and 8 shock sensors. Then called in to get a 'discount' and told us that all we had to pay was the $438+ for the first half of our installation fee and the second half would be due a month from the installation date. The person over the phone told us that they would throw in a smoke and fire communicator worth $235 with a $5 monthly monitoring fee for FREE. They would waive all costs. There was on such deal when the installation guy showed up. They told us the $299 fee would be for the cameras to be installed regardless of how many cameras we wanted to get installed.

I am not happy with my experience with them. It seems they have been less than honest this whole process. I am already regretting agreeing to set up with them and wish I had gone with someone else. If they continue down his path I will be submitting a review with the BBB and terminating my contract with them. I am giving them until the end of this week to fix these issues. Not a good start ADT.

ADT response

Hello Salina- We're very sorry to hear of the trouble with the Doorbell and would be happy to review your account with you further. If you could please email our Team at AlwaysThere@adt.com with a reference to your review and the address in which the system is located we may address your concerns further. Thank you~ Eileen

Original review: July 9, 2019

Stay away from ADT, they don't care about their customers. I had disconnect my service after 12 YEARS with ADT due to a life event and ADT would not waive a early termination fee of $934.88 because I had just signed a new contract for a outside camera. I offered to pay for the camera but was told, "no," and was told I must pay the $934.88 in order to end my contract with them. I ask did my 12 years with them mean anything. Their reply was, "We are sorry there is no exceptions." I was told this by Three individuals. Again there are better companies out there. Also make sure you read your contracts and remember when talking to these sales Reps make sure when they tell you something you write it on your contract document and both of you initial it. It has to be in writing. Don't trust any of them.

Here is my ADT Account: Account Number: **. After being with ADT for over twelve years, I had to close my account with ADT because I had to sell my Home. I ask ADT to waive the termination fee because I had just finished a three contract in December 2018 and had only added a outside camera and I offered to pay for the camera if they would waive the $934.88 termination fee because I would not have a place of my own and had be a GREAT customer for 12 YEARS. Their answer was, "NO." So please stay away from ADT. They don't reward loyalty. I will be get another home one day but ADT will NOT be someone I would choose for my future alarm need.

ADT response

Hello Leon- We do apologize for the frustration this has caused! We would be happy to review the terms of the agreement with you further and address your concerns with you if you could please email our Team directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com Please include a reference to your review and the address in which the system is located within the body of the email so that we may assist you. ~ Eileen

Original review: July 9, 2019

Issue 1 - Offered a "free consultation" where I was told I would not be charged for the consultation itself only the equipment/system purchased. Turned out to be false and I was charged over $100 for the consultation, on top of the charge for the system I had purchased, without authorizing ADT to charge my CC. I even asked customer service to provide the recording of initial conversation with the ADT rep where I was told I would not be charged. They couldn't provide.

Issue 2 - Called ADT to add a water detection sensor near my sump pump. Apparently the 2 month year old system that was installed is not compatible with a leak detection sensor. One sensor, I expected to cost no more than a $50-$75 add on would have turned out to be hundreds of dollars because I would have needed to replace (2) brand new keypads installed 2 months prior, (2) brand new motion sensors installed 2 months prior, and then the cost of the leak detection sensor itself. Ridiculous.

ADT response

Hello Matthew- We're terribly sorry to hear of the trouble and would be happy to address this with you further. If you could please email our team directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com with a reference to your review and the address in which the system is located we may assist you further.~ Eileen

Original review: July 9, 2019

The company showed up to my new house to install ADT Security system with two technicians. One of the techs accidentally broke/bent one of the blinds. He did not tell us that he broke it until we asked him directly. He said he was going to send in the picture to his supervisor and take care of the broken blind. It’s been 30 plus days now and their customer service team stated they would meet us half way in the replacement of the blind versus full replacement. They are not respectful and dishonest in the business practices seen thus far.

ADT response

Randy- Oh no! We're very sorry to learn of your experience and would be happy to assist you further! Please email our Team directly at AlwaysThere@adt.com with a reference to your review and the address in which the system is located so that we may address this further. ~ Eileen

Original review: July 9, 2019

Updated on 07/12/2019: In addition to the review I left a few days ago: I finally got my cameras running on my own after their "camera specialist" did not know how to help me set them up. I didn't want to wait several days to have someone come back out to have cameras I've had up over a week to start working. The tech did come back out due to a faulty sensor & he has been fine, but the more I found out about our system the more disappointment we have. We have 4 ADT cameras. We love that they record when the alarm goes off which was the biggest selling point to buying through the alarm company, but DID YOU KNOW if you have 1000 clips in a month they STOP recording unless your alarm is sounding.

WAIT-- so this means if my car gets broken into in my drive (where I placed a camera because this happens a lot in our neighborhood) & I hit my upload limit, even if I deleted the clips, it will NO LONGER RECORD UNLESS THE ALARM IS GOING OFF! This renders my cameras useless if I have a theft on my property at the end of every month. I'm paying $63+ a month to have partial coverage. Debating if I should just go get my own cameras and have them take these back.

Original Review: Like many after a break-in 2 weeks ago we found ourselves searching for an alarm company. To our disappointment so far we went with ADT. We installed our system one week ago. We spent an extra $866 on equipment and cameras after being sold "better" equipment than what came in the free setup. When everything was drilled into place we were told our wifi was not capable of running the cameras, so in order to get them up and working we would need to get a better signal. Not a problem--old house--bad wifi--Google mesh fixed it. Fast forward 2 days, we now have that signal and no one can seem to set up the equipment over the phone (this is after over 2 hours on the phone being transfer and setting up calls with people who "knew how to set up these cameras"). So we are placed on a list to get set up to have a tech to come back out. I guess we will see how long this takes.

THERE IS MORE: Dog friendly motion sensors as long as under 40 lbs-we received one free and purchased one to the tune of 219 dollars. First time we leave the dogs set them off.... they adjust the placement.... Second time we leave the 12 lb dog sets them off. We now have two unusable motion sensors in our house leaving use "vulnerable" in two areas that were not well covered otherwise.

Vibration/shock sensors- we upgraded on 2 of these each at $50 (usually $150 a piece) a piece trading in the regular door/window sensors. I really love the idea of these and on our back door where the glass can be pushed out and one can walk through--I think it's a great idea but....we were told the side door with a dog door should likely have one too since the amount of glass in the door could fit someone through--and of course we asked-- "will the dogs this size set this off"-- Nope and it was even tested for us. First time we leave the dog door open--- alarm goes off from them going out of it....

I have messaged both our installer and our rep who sold us the system of which neither have responded. I do get this was a holiday weekend but I am tired of being on the phone with ADT telling me "we're sorry". We've been your customer for one week and have nothing good to say at this point. We have a house that is unprotected and are paying for a service we have yet to be able to use.

ADT response

Hello Nikki- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 9, 2019

In summary liars and very poor service scamming through Defenders is all I can say. My wife and I were first time buyers in looking at an alarm system and like many many others sucked into this trap where they are quick to promise you 27.99 month plan and equipment credit and say that it's "special" for just our area. I confirmed this by speaking with two sales managers. Both of which promised me that the $27.99/mo. plan was not just for landline service but rather confirmed for the cell service setup, and were quick to take my money for the install fee on 6/12/2019.

Then the installers came on 6/22. Two gentlemen showed up and went over the plans of landline vs cell. I told them specifically I am not interested in landline service and they then insisted the only plan was $59.99/mo. After I had explained my conversation about the $27.99/mo. plan with the two ADT sales managers, the install techs stated nothing like that existed and $27.99/mo. was for land-line service only. The installers tried to promote everything they had while they are very careful not to tell you any of the pricing per item. So when my wife and I started removing some of the recommended items, the price dropped but individual pricing was never provided.

After the total shock value of being WAY oversold my wife and I decided on 6/24 to have most of our equipment removed. When we called into the ADT customer care department the representative agreed we were grossly oversold and worked with us to come up with a new hardware layout and reduce our monthly rate. The lady helping had excellent notes she read back to me explaining exactly what to do, along with dropping and my monthly rate.

On 7/1 they were supposed to send another tech on-site. Before the tech showed up I called to confirm the equipment credit I was originally promised. I was told by customer care rep that the tech has all that info and she can't help me. Then the tech came on-site and had no idea what they were supposed to do (How can this be based based upon my previous comment). I walked him around showing him exactly what to take. Right before he left I said I need a list of stuff your taking and I need to know what my customer equipment credit is. He stated to me he had no idea what I am talking about and the office can clear that up. I mentioned the "Office" told me to talk the install tech who would have that info.

On top of this I explained my app was not in sync with the panel anymore with some probes stuck in the "tampered with" setting. This was one of the probes the tech didn't even touch but went offline when he was messing with the panel. He went over banged on it and then said I don't know sounds like app issue it will clear in an hour. Then left without removing some of the gear I specifically pointed out to remove when he first showed up. When I challenged him on his comment he said he had another appointment and was quick to get out the door.

Twenty four hours later the system and app completely are still out of sync and inoperable. I once again had to call ADT get the tech back out on 7/2 for yet another visit. When that tech showed up he confirmed the system was inoperable and should not have been left in this manner. Per the tech's recommendation we worked together to erase the system and rebuild our configuration to get it to work after multiple attempts previously trying to of trouble shoot it. Finally we got the system to work but still had to follow up with customer service to confirm inventory and final billing amounts. I was hung up on several times and everyone that I was able to get a hold of could not confirm the inventory we actually had. How can that be?

Today on 7/8/2019 it seemed they were finally able to tell me my total owed balance. They have tried to send me a new contract with the new monthly rate however never bothered to update the equipment I actually have. I refused to sign this contract as it is not correct. Today I asked to cancel the service and was told this is not possible without paying 75% of remainder of monthly contract. The original signed contract is invalid, as it does not represent the products that remain in our home. At this point all I want is to cancel this service and move on with my life. I would NOT recommend ADT to anyone based on my experience the whole company feels like a total scam with over promising and under delivering at every turn.

ADT response

Hello Galaska- We're very concerned to hear of your experience with your ADT Authorized Dealer and would be happy to address your concerns further. Please email our Team directly with a reference to your review and the address in which the system is located we may review this with you further.~ Eileen

Original review: July 8, 2019

I received an email notifying me of a rate increase on June 7, 2019. I called to dispute the rate increase and was told I needed to respond to the email I received to request they waive the fees. I sent that email on the same day. I did not get a response of any kind to my email and on June 21st the new fee was automatically deducted from my bank account. This was my only indication that my request to waive the fee was declined.

A couple of days later I called back and indicated since they had not chosen to waive the fee, I’d like to cancel my service as provided in paragraph three of the contract. They started back peddling and said they would waive it and credit my account. I told them it was a violation of the contract since they had run the charge through my bank.

The lady agreed and offered to cancel with a $50ish charge. I didn’t want to pay that either. When I called back a few days later (today) Sabrina tells me the contract is intact because they gave me back my money. I checked my bank and there was no refund. She meant they credited my account. This is all very shady and I regret having recommended them to friends. My story will now be much different. Basic trust is key when dealing with your security company. All I want is for them to cancel my contract like they said they would in paragraph 3. Very disappointed!

ADT response

Hello Alison- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Hey #ADT, I just had the worst customer service of my life calling to cancel my service. I would have expected after being a customer since 2011 I would have gotten a bit of an upsell to keep me and then a "sorry to see you go" when I said I decided to go with another vendor. Instead your cancellation rep Chance decided to lecture me and treat me like I was a punk who didn't deserve his time. After I asked to be passed to a manager, he said "nah, I'd rather not" and then basically told me good luck calling back and getting someone to process my cancellation. Took me another bunch of calls and asking to get transferred to a manager from the jump to finally get my cancellation processed.

I'd love for someone to contact me so I can discuss the service I received - this makes me want to NEVER rejoin ADT and to recommend to my friends, family, and colleagues to do the same. ADT record calls - I'd love for ADT leadership to listen to that call and tell me why a 8 year customer who has never missed a payment and who had service at two house to be allowed to be treated like a 2 bit punk when they make the personal decision to cancel service and not renew.. Acct #**.

ADT response

Hello William- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 8, 2019

I'll be honest, I don't have many complaints about their actual product; it's their customer service. After a year, I wanted to downgrade my service and cost, but it turns out, I'm on the hook for another year. They didn't help me and their "I don't care" attitude was pretty obnoxious.

ADT response

Hello Ken- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 8, 2019

ADT is the absolute worst. This is a money hungry, blood sucking company that couldn’t care less about their customers. I have been an ADT customer for almost 8 years. My small business recently closed down. When I first installed ADT I paid $369 for equipment and another $144 for installation just to upgrade my equipment because I kept having trouble with my services working. Therein lies my first problem, believing the hype of this company. They are only nice until they suck you in, after that you’re on your own.

After over 6 years with this company, I had to upgrade my security which also meant paying more money – almost $60 per month. To get the pulse that everyone had, (which by the way wasn’t even offered to me as a “loyal customer” of 6 plus years), they extended my contract for that upgrade. I have had problems with the equipment being loose on the door and being told that I am responsible to fix it. The only time I got any help with ADT is when I inquired about why I paid for a quality service plan that was supposed to be included in my plan. Absolute poor customer service.

Just before I had the upgrade with ADT, I had changes with my phone lines and internet that needed a separate box for VOIP. The ADT technician who came never informed me that my current system that I had would NOT be incompatible with the pulse hub that had to be installed to my current internet setup. I had issues with my all of my communications and camera system and had to spend hours trying to figure out what was going on. I even had to have my internet provider come out multiple times to troubleshoot issues that were most probably caused by ADT. I even called ADT and had to speak with technical reps.

On the contract, ADT lied and said I had a traditional phone line when he obviously had to install the pulse hub in my office to my other internet VOIP equipment, then lied again when it is noted that a cell guard was included in the increase price on my new contract when I already paid for this previously. Also, he failed to inform me that I was able to decline the quality service plan which I didn’t need anyway since ADT always tries to find a reason why. 1. They can’t service their own equipment or 2. Why you need to pay more money for them to come out. Oh, did I mention false alarms? How about multiple false alarms when you live 30+ mins away. Dealing with ADT is an absolute nightmare.

After having to close my small business I called several times leading up to the day and no one informed me that I had to give a 30 day notice for me to cancel my account. When I finally called to let them know I was closed, the lady told me I had to give a 30 day notice. When I tried explaining my stance to a rep after being transferred at least 5 times, she didn’t want to listen to my grievances about this contract that ADT is trying to hold me to.

ADT hides behind their so called contract hoping that something sticks…. So they can stick you with fees upon fees in situations that are beyond your control. MY ADVISE: RUN!! FAST. Don’t get sucked into this company that has zero consideration for their customers. You would do better installing a boxed security system yourself, there are plenty companies that won’t suck you dry!! And since systems are wireless these days…

It’s better to have no contract and service your own equipment because if ADT doesn’t get you one way they will surely get you some other way. Also, make sure you file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission if ADT does not resolve your grievances. The penalties they would have to pay for any violation will pale in comparison to what they are trying to stick you with. ADT? Question? How are you holding me to a contract that is erroneous and absolutely misleading?

ADT response

Hello Ellen- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with the detailed issue description emailed to AlwaysThere@adt.com so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 6, 2019

The 3 year contract is a bigger deal than you might imagine. Regardless of how poor their service is, you can’t escape. When they set up your system wrong and tell you they will fix it right away but don’t show up, you can’t escape. When you have to call them to get them to come out again, and then they set it up wrong a second time, you can’t escape. Then, when you call to complain, and they say your contract is with a local company called Defenders, and they transfer you to them only to have them lie about a supervisor having gone home for the day and then “oh actually one just walked in”, you can’t escape.

Then when they create an official case to look into the issue and will certainly call you back in 72 business hours (which of course they don’t, 1 full week later), you can’t escape. In fact, when you call in to ask for a supervisor, and they tell you that all supervisors are too busy to come to the phone but one will certainly call you back in 48 hours (which, of course they don’t), you can’t escape. So, maybe you get lucky. Maybe everything runs smoothly. But are you willing to risk the $1700 that it will cost to get out of your contract? I was too excited to get a security system to think about this. I thought the fancy cameras and app would make up for it. I was wrong. You don’t have to make my mistake.

ADT response

Hello Cole- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Received ad for $27.99 monitoring. Ordered install based on that. June 4-Charged $104.94 for installation and set up. June 6-Installation by tech who was VERY high pressure sales to sell additional equipment. I actually had to tell him I didn't like his tone. June 7-Charge to my bank for $95.38 for monitoring service at $52.99 per month prorated for June and full rate for July. June 10-Sent cancellation per contract within three business days. Cancellation calls for refund within ten business days. July 5-Called to complain had not received refund and was told that account still showed as active and refund would not come until 30 days after cancellation. July 6-Charge to my bank of $52.99 AGAIN. Called to complain again and was told I would not get my refund until equipment was removed from the home. Still no word on my refund or when I will receive it.

ADT response

Hello Henry- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed so that we can further review and assist? Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2019

I’ve been a customer for about 10 years, maybe more and you’ve just lost me as a customer and I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone. Brooke was very unhelpful and didn’t try to help me in any way. I replaced my battery a while back and my system just hasn’t been working and all I was trying to do was to get a tech out here to reboot my system and get it working again. I pay for my system on a monthly basis and Brooke was telling me that it doesn’t matter that we pay our monthly bill, I will still be charged another $96 to have my system rebooted and fixed. Last time I had someone come out. They told me that it was covered under maintenance and there was no fee. Brooke didn’t even attempt to help a long term customer that was happy with this company, she was very rude and absolutely no help.

When the tech came out last time (about 2 years ago) he was wonderful and showed me my contract details on his laptop and told me that I should request a reimbursement for the battery that I paid for myself (I didn’t care about the reimbursement) but even then, there was no fee for him to come out and just reboot my system and get it working. That’s all I wanted this time... was to have a technician come out and get it turned back on but no, Brooke made it clear that it would be $96 for the first 30 minutes for someone to come out and take a look and then an additional $24.50 for every 15 minutes after. This is a JOKE of a company... They’ve definitely lost me as a customer and I’ll NEVER refer them out.

Goodbye ADT... Hello VIVINT. ADT... you should probably hire people that are happy with their job and actually try to help your company by keeping your customers happy ESPECIALLY your long term customers that have paid MONTHLY for your service even when the system wasn’t working for two damn years. Advice to customers - look into Vivint, they’re wonderful and offer even better deals and discounts if you’re switching from ADT.

ADT response

Hello Jessica- We're saddened to hear that you are leaving ADT. Should you want to give us an opportunity to assist. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to us? Thank you.

ADT expert review by Ben Mannes

Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

ADT Company Information