1.50/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

8141 ADT Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

ADT sends out a newsletter periodically telling of customers' experiences. In the latest issue there was a couple sharing how their home caught on fire because the dryer vent needed cleaning. They described the positive help they received from ADT. I want to thank ADT for their newsletters; because of that particular one I had my dryer vent cleaned. It was packed with lint--a place looking for trouble! If it had not been for their newsletter, I probably would never have thought of having the lint system cleaned. Thank you ADT; I feel that my home is safer--not only because of your 24 hour protection, but because of the advice you give in your newsletters.

ADT response

Hello Sharon- Thank you for being part of the ADT family. We are glad to hear that our newsletter helps you. -Jackie

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2019

He explained everything that I needed because I am a widow and live alone. Three days after I moved into my new home someone tried to open my garage door. My real estate agent recommended ADT. I called and got an appointment right away. Scot ** was very professional and a pleasure to talk with. On my part I kept him longer than he should have been here. He suggested things that I would need and let me decide what type of protection I would feel safe with. So far everything has been working very well and very easy to use. I don't go out much but feel very secure that everything is safe. Thank you Scot.

Donna

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have had ADT for several years and have never had a false alarm. It’s very easy to operate and the monthly fees are reasonable. I was able to set the number of seconds I needed to get out the door after turning it on. Likewise, you can also set the time needed once you open the door to be able to shut it off. I really like the fact that the battery will take over if for some reason you lose power. I’ve received helpful and courteous service when I’ve called about the battery needing to be replaced. That was easy. I purchased the battery and was able to install it myself. I feel very safe with this system.

ADT response

Thank you for reaching out to us Linda. We are happy to hear of the positive experience you have had. Thank you for being part of the ADT family. -Jackie

Original review: July 16, 2019

I like the system. It's got a bunch of options and features including front door, sliding door, window, entry, and exit alarms. We have the complete system installed in our home. However, we couldn't get into the system when we moved in. Apparently it got cancelled until the new contract was signed. Oh, the in-home alarm still worked but over time when the company came to renew the contract, the guy who came to our home, because we can't afford the monthly charges, started unhooking wires to the point of removing parts here and their dis-alarming the whole system.

I have this elaborate system installed in my home ($3k +) and because we can't afford to keep paying the monthly premiums, we can't even use the alarm system at all. I get you pay for a service. What makes me mad at them is the system has been bought, installed, paid for and now because of one visit from a company rep, the company rip (ripoff), the whole alarm system has been turned off and we can't even use it as a door alarm apart from their monthly service fee.

I rated them high because I believe it's a great system but BE ALARMED. If you can't keep paying the monthly service fee, you wasted money having the system installed!!! Perhaps I would of wanted to start paying for the service but ADT basically said by their actions, nope you had your chance. I got a whole bunch of useless wired alarms that because I stopped paying for a month, the whole system is useless. Think about before you pay for the system because if life changes causes you not to pay for their service they will not just turn their service off. They will completely dis-alarm that whole elaborate system you paid for!!

Original review: June 10, 2019

I am moving and had to move service to my new home. I was connected to Joshua via ADT phone service and he was beyond helpful, not pushy but educated me on my decision. I had to talk to my SO and he was able to email me the information and even called me back when I wanted to proceed. He did not hide anything and was open and transparent throughout the process. I may have cancelled service if it would have been a big ordeal moving to a new home but he made it quick and easy. Thank you Joshua for your amazing customer service. I hope I could deal with you for my other services too!

ADT response

Hello Andrew- Thank you for reaching out to us with your kind words about Joshua. We are happy to pass along the compliment to his manager! -Jackie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

In mid July of 2019 my panel kept going off saying no signal. After a week of this continuous activity I called ADT. They scheduled a tech to come out to check it out. Turned out the panel wasn’t getting signal so they said they would come back in two weeks to try another panel. Came back to try another and it didn’t work. Tech said we would have to call to cancel. Called to cancel and was told that we wouldn’t have to pay canceling fee because they couldn’t provide service which makes contract void and that we would get reimbursed for the month of July. Was charged for August and September and a service fee. Called to find out what was going on... Was transferred twice then disconnected.

Called back, was transferred twice and was told if we canceled we would be charged the cancellation fee of 1200. I explained that we had already canceled when the representative said that we hadn’t and maybe I could get my reimbursement with their subcontract company but not with them and still if I wanted to cancel today it would be 1200. She claimed that their system was showing that it has connection, which is ironic because we get automated phone calls daily saying that it’s not. Gotta love being charged for an alarm system that can’t be used. Thanks for the overwhelming crap service ADT.

ADT response

Hello Roxie- We are sorry to hear of your experience. We have located the account and refunded the two months paid that were not owed. We have also made sure that the termination fees are being waived. Please allow 5-7 business days for the refund to be back in your account. -Jackie

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Had 3 different technical come to our house during one week period and nothing was done. They blamed each other saying that tech before did a terrible job but did not fixed the problem. Having fourth technician coming tomorrow. Will see. Can’t even talked to manager because they would not give any phone numbers or any info. It’s why I am leaving a bad review.

ADT response

Hello Galina- We are disappointed to hear of your experience. We have reached out to the local service management team to address your concerns. We have also applied a 1 month credit to your account due to the repeat service calls. If you are in need of additional assistance please reach out to us at alwaysthere@adt.com. -Jackie

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I have been an ADT customer for over 30 years. Most of those years were good. But within the last three to five years all has gone to hell. My system goes off and provided false alarms during every storm and even if there is a momentary power fluctuation. ADT has repaired the system, but again to no avail. Three to five false alarms a night during thunder storms is the norm now. I have spoken to ADT several times and even written the CEO during which they say everyone's alarm does this and there is nothing that they can do. Within the next few months i will become the customer of a better company -- especially better in customer service and equipment.

ADT response

Hello Rick- Thank you for being a long time member of the ADT family. We are happy to address your system issues. We do not see that we have been out to service your system since 2017. Please reach out to our technical support team at 1-800-238-2727. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I should have thrown them out of the house when I asked them to start monitoring my EXISTING system and they cut all the wires. Instead of adding to my existing wired system, the tech WITHOUT authority cut the wires and started to install a wireless system which I Specifically told the company I didnt want. They cant seem to get the billing straight. I have contacted them multiple times to get it straightened out and yet every month they call me and tell me my payment is late. I am paying 3 weeks early to avoid the calls and they call anyway.

ADT response

Hello Bill- We are sorry to hear of the experience that you have had. We have located your account and reached out to our installation management team for assistance with your concern. Please allow 24 business hours for a follow up call. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I recently purchased my home and had a sales rep from ADT knock on my door. I should have just said NO and ended it there. I said sure, install the system. I was assured it would be $170 install after all these "credits" and "discounts". When the 3rd party installer arrived, I had to pay an additional $800 for the equipment, and the $170 was only the fee to have it installed. I received one outdoor camera and one video doorbell, in addition to 4 door sensors, 5 window sensors, one thermostat, and one arming panel. After 2 days, I had the installer come back out to troubleshoot the doorbell camera because it wasn't recording. He removed and installed a new one, but I received the same result. People walked right past with zero movements recorded.

I was told repeatedly that "so long as you don't go over your 1,000 clip limit, the cameras will record". I asked for verification and was told so long as I "delete the clips, you'll be good". No... they literally do mean 1,000 clips total will be recorded and once that happens, your cameras will no longer record clips. I deleted clips because I kept getting emails saying I was 50%, then 90%, then MAX... no more clips will be recorded (unless there is an alarm event, apparently). There is a tree that moves and it was setting off the recording events. No problem, just tweak the recording zone right? No. Didn't help, After 2 weeks, I went over my 1,000 recorded clips and no amount of deleting or tweaking the recording zones helped. I called ADT to have them alter my account. They said I needed to contact Safe Haven as they were the 3rd party in actual charge. So I did.

They said I am beyond the three (3!!!) days to alter my account and nothing could be done. So I call ADT back, they are again no help, and I have to call Safe Haven back. There's no one there to help me and my only option is to buy out my contract at $1,876.00 (75% of the remaining contract fees). I have literally had this service for less than one month and this is outrageous. I am now waiting 24-48 hours for a "manager" of some sort to call me back to basically tell me again that I'm screwed and that I will either have to pay almost two THOUSAND dollars to buy myself out of a contract or just suck it up and deal with paying for video monitoring that doesn't work? Yeah, seems totally on the up and up... /sarcasm. All I wanted to do was amend my contract since the video monitoring was not helpful, but now I have extreme ire at both ADT and Safe Haven for not doing the right thing and helping out a new customer.

ADT response

Hello Tiffany- We are sorry to hear about the experience that you have had and the system issues. We have reached out to our installation management team for assistance. Please allow 24 business hours for a follow up call. -Jackie

ADT expert review by Ben Mannes

Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

ADT Company Information