Call toll free
3.24/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

When you consider home security, consider who you want to be by your side when selecting 24/7 security services. ADT not only offers the best in home security and alarm systems, but for over 140 years ADT continues to remain the name for the most tested, trusted and proven security systems available to you. ADT home security can help safeguard you, your family and everything you have worked so hard for from an uncertain world. Learn about 24/7 security services that can help protect your home, your family, and everything you own - call us today!

ADT Video
ADT Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

7860 ADT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 22, 2019

I had bad experience with ADT, I got quote over the phone and they told me they will give me credit for all equipment and after technician came in my house he want to charge me extra for equipment and he take out my previous security keypad on the wall and he cut wire for my air conditioner after I said no I don't want work with ADT and he didn't fix my stuff and he left. I paid $300 to electrician to come and fix those thing he messed up. I never suggest this company to anyone.

ADT response

Hello Khosoro- We are sorry to hear about your experience. Please reach out to us at alwaysthere@adt.com with your phone number and address so that we can assist with addressing your concern. -Jackie

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 18, 2019

I've been a customer ADT for more than 20 years. I am now retired in my sixties on a fixed income. My monthly monitoring fee had more than doubled but I didn't notice because of auto-pay. When I started hearing a chirping sound I called ADT and they suggested it was a low battery. A technician was sent out and he asked about my landline. I haven't had a landline in almost 3 years. He informed me that I would not have been monitored during that time because they would not have gotten a signal. I've been billed for more than three years with no monitoring. Today they drafted $300 out of my account and I would like a refund of $300 and the years of no service. I got a email to say it would take up to 2 weeks for the $300 if they approve the refund. They said they would do what they could about the other years. A sad that they would scam older adults like that. I was told I should have canceled but I didn't know that I wasn't monitored until years later.

ADT response

Hello Deborah- We are sorry to hear about your experience. Please reach out to us with your phone number and address so that we can assist. -Jackie

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 15, 2019

We thought everything was okay. But in Nov. 2018, again we were charged the full amount of $51.92 with no video doorbell. So we said, this is too much. We again called and my husband was able to speak to someone at ADT. We told them that this is not fair and to stop charging us coz' we will notify our bank not to accept any charge that's coming from ADT anymore because of this matter. My husband was told we cannot cancel coz' we're on contract for 3 years. They said we have to pay the balance if we would like to cancel. How can they do this? They have not even delivered what they're supposed to deliver and yet charged us for the full amount for it? They still kept sending notices and calling us. So we went to the MP Office of Rob ** in Niagara Falls and were told to file a consumer complaint against the Ministry of Consumer Services, which we did.

ADT response

Hello Roberto-Apologies for any trouble. It appears you are located in Ontario, and this review page is for ADT US. We will forward your concern to our Canadian counterparts. Thank you. -Gabe

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 13, 2019

ADT Promotion for 6 months free and $100.00 gift coupon sent in mail is a fraud. The $100.00 from Defender Security/Intel is a scam that ADT supports. I've called for 8 months and ADT/Defender/Intel will not send this money owed to my 83 year old Mother. Scam by ADT. Fraud by ADT. I've called for months, sent paperwork and no one is interested. PERHAPS THE PUBLIC CARES ABOUT ADT FRAUD ON SENIORS!!

ADT response

Deborah-Per our correspondence with Defender, in lieu of the gift card, they are refunding $100 to your mother's account. Please allow 14 days to process. Please email us if there is anything further. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: March 12, 2019

I'm a very patient person. People say that, but I really am. Never getting upset over trivial things like late service people, but there's more to this story. Here I sit waiting for an ADT security technician to arrive. Scheduling was between 12 noon and 5 pm. I just received a phone call telling me they wouldn't be coming until 5:30. When I didn't reply right away, because I knew they were fudging the truth, the rep said, "well, maybe by 6 pm". That's fine. Everyone gets frustrated over late service calls and usually this type of thing doesn't get my goat. But like I said, being late isn't the whole story.

I've used ADT for over two decades for my home security needs and have moved 4 times within that time period. Their contract has always been (for me) two years and at a rate below $30 per month. So, you can imagine my surprise when I recently moved, called them up and the price had gone to $54 per month and a three year contract. I spoke to a manager wondering why a New ADT customer would receive the service for $27/month but a loyal customer's price doubled? They just said it was their policy and gave me a very large list of items to "thank me" for my years of sticking with them. Fine, everything goes up right?

Installation day came. I won't even go into any length as it was, well, horrible.

Several calls to ADT management due to broken equipment being installed, old panel, used window magnets, and to end the 8+ hours (yes, it took all day) of installation time the rep gave me paperwork that said I owed them $4,400! Now usually that's all just a ploy and the real numbers come out but the service agent wanted a deposit. Um...no. Another call to ADT to clear that up and then a surprise of 3 year ilo of 2 year contract. By that time I just wanted them out of my house. I didn't sign anything so that I could have a day to think about it. When I called the next day and spoke to management again to my surprise my paperwork had been signed! WHAT! Yep, they had "digitally" signed my paperwork completely without my consent; completely illegal.

Lengthy conversations with more management, threats to sue them and they said they would call with their decision on what action to take. More calls. No action, no response. So, do I have them rip everything out, take them to court? I was so tired from the move, I unfortunately just said fine. I wanted my peace and the whole fiasco to be over. I didn't have the time or the fight in me. Wish I had, because it hasn't been 'fine', but we all have those times in our lives that we just say the heck with it. (Stronger language needed here but it's a public site).

So...now, here I sit, waiting for the ADT repairman all day. He's supposed to fix one of those used window magnets that, even after replacing the battery keeps going offline. I had systems that went 8 years without having to replace a battery, let alone tripping the system every other day. Gad. Oh...and to end the story, they're going to charge me a $25 trip charge. At some point you just have to laugh, if it wasn't so ridiculous. Never, never again will I use ADT. Too bad, they used to be a wonderful company. Now they're no longer a good choice. They're a bad one.

ADT response

Hello William-We are sorry to hear about your experience. Please reach out to us with your phone number and address. We are happy to address your concern and would be happy to review your other concerns as well. -Jackie

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

Original review: March 12, 2019

Consumer Complaint. I’m very PISSED. I was told by a sales rep two weeks ago that I just need a home landline phone to connect and activate my service over the phone since I already have the system in my home, it just needed to be reactivated over the phone. I went through the process with AT&T. Paid a $100 for home phone service so I can get service reactivated. I called in yesterday 3/12. Spoke with young lady to continue the process and paid Activation fees to have my security alarm reactivated in my home, she reassured I wouldn’t have to worry about a technician coming out due to it can be done over the phone. She set my phone appointment for today at 3:00PM. I’ve been waiting around and never got the call today on 03/12 so I decided to call myself.

A rep from the installation department told me it was cancelled yesterday and they informed the rep (young lady) through email to give me a call due to order was canceled because I have smoke alarms so a tech will need to come out. Rep (young lady) never called me back yesterday or today. Poor communication there? The rep today then decided to transfer me back to sales. I spoke to rep (young man). Had to constantly repeat the situation. He still seemed to not understand and did not help in no way. So I informed him to give me, my deposit back since no one seem to help me. This is a concern I will like your other customers to know because it’s sad when you’re trying protect your family and home but you have agents that can’t do their job to assist you and communicate appropriately. What can be done about this situation??? I will like all the calls listen to before contacting me!

ADT response

Hello Antondra- We're sorry for your troubles. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system, along with a detailed issue description emailed to us so that we can further assist? Thank you. -Mazen

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 11, 2019

A tree fell on our home and made it uninhabitable September 11, 2017 during hurricane Irma. The equipment was destroyed and the home took more than a year to rebuild. My husband and I have incurred many expenses during this time. I tried to cancel the contract at the beginning and ADT did credit our account. What they didn’t ever state was that if we decided to discontinue services that they would reverse the credit and charge the 750 contract breakage fee. They want me to pay them to monitor nonexistent equipment. They have not been able to provide services for more than a year since the power was shut off to the home during repairs. It’s a shame that companies are trying to profit from people who have suffered a natural disaster. A tree through my home is not the recommended way to “get out of a contract”.

ADT response

Hello Angela- We do apologize to hear of the trouble! If you could email our team directly with the address in which the system is located and the account information we may review this with you further. ~ Eileen

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 9, 2019

We needed to have our windows’ sensors rewired during the replacement process for new windows. The technician arrived at approximately 8:45 am. After showing him the first window, he started to discuss charges with me. This was very strange, since the charges had already been agreed upon when I talked to the representative about scheduling the service.

I had to leave for work, and the technician asked me about payment. I told him I could give my credit card information over the phone when he had completed the re-wiring of the sensors. He told me he couldn’t take a credit card because there ‘could be a mistake made with the numbers’, and asked me to leave a check, with ‘VOID’ written on it. I did that.

At 11:02 am, I was called by the technician who told me he completed the job. He told me the total charge was $347. I told him I wanted a breakdown of the charge. He told me that the sensors were $2.97 per sensor, and there were 8 sensors. I asked him why he needed to replace the sensors, and he laughed, telling me that it needed to be done because the old ones didn’t work. He then proceeded to tell me that the first half hour was $107, and the rest of the time was $218. I told him $218 does not represent the other 1.5 hours he spent on site. He argued with me and told me that he was there for 3 hours, and that’s what the ‘thing’ says. I then told him I wasn’t giving my credit card information and he said he could use the check. I told him not to, and he said he would put the amount into ‘dispute’, and I could call ADT to figure out the final amount owed.

I was never told that sensors needed to be replaced, or about the cost of the sensors. The technician also never asked permission to replace the existing sensors. When we looked at the sensors—all of them had been installed on the outside of the windows. This was done without our permission or consent. Why didn’t the technician install the sensors inside the window frame, like it was done before? Issue has been escalated to ADT—but I still believe it’s important to share this review here.

ADT response

Hello Sashi- We are happy to assist with this concern if necessary. Please send us your phone number and address so that we can review the account. Thank you! -Jackie

Original review: March 7, 2019

We recently purchased a house that had ADT service. We are having extensive remodeling done over a few months so we decided to wait on the decision of what security service to enlist. Today I received a letter from ADT, sent to the new house, with the following statement in 48 point type on the outside of the letter: 'ADT. Your System is inactive.' In doing this, they have made public that we do not have a functioning security system. Unbelievable. This is a violation of both trust and confidentiality of customer information. In doing so, they have lost any chance whatsoever of getting my future business.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I'm not all satisfied. I paid a full year contract of 600. Package included an outside and inside camera. Next month I paid 400 for 2 extra cameras installed. After a month I decided to move. Keep in mind I only purchased cameras because I was informed I can take everything with me to my new location. Well I moved call ADT to inform my new address. Just to be told all my equipment stays at my old address. Now I have to renew my 3 year contract pay 700 for the year. Just for sensors no cameras at all.

I was also told I couldn't get discounts for the cameras I just purchased or my money I paid in advance for the year. Reason was because I moved so they bill me a termination letter that's the money I paid advance gone to and still billed 1200. Only because I decided to move. I called ADT service to be only transfer around. After so many attempts to get this issue fixed because I only moved and wanted service. I was told to redo everything. I thought ADT service was honest and good. Just to realize it only took money from me and not good at all. The camera only record for a good minute and have to wait for 4 min to start up again. It doesn't live stream and records everything only a good snapshot. I feel I wasted money and time with ADT service.

Original review: March 7, 2019

From the installation to now, we're just waiting for our contract to be up to cancel. They quoted us over the phone $1500 for the install, tech who came to our house said that wasn't accurate and it went to $6,000. This was after he put a hole in our wall and begun the install. We at the time should have stopped the process, but needed an alarm system. My rates have gone up twice, and every time I call I get the rudest service. I wish I could cancel now, but they refuse without charging me a penalty. Defenders, ADT is the worst company to work with, by far! My 3 year term can't come soon enough!

ADT response

Hello Bree. Defenders is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they offer their own promotions, install and sell their own alarm equipment., and are not owned by ADT corporate. We do not see any calls to ADT to voice any concerns with your install back in Dec 2016. At this time, should you decide to cancel prior to your contract end date, early termination charges would be applicable. Please call us for further questions. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: March 7, 2019

I was told that I would receive a $10 discount if I was referred by my house inspector, which I was. When the technician came out he did a crappy job installing my system, didn't bother to tell me that certain window contacts were not working, even though I saw him messing with them and he knew they didn't work. I ended up fixing them myself to get them to work with my system. Then he had me download a "free" app to use to monitor my system, which I later found out that is costs $10 a month to use, meaning no discount after all. And then a few weeks later I got up-charged on my bill for having "cameras" which I don't actually have.

When I have asked representatives on their prices and packages, I received no definite answer to what I should be charged because what I have is "not one of the packages they provide." It has been 3 weeks since installing this system, and it has been nothing but a disappointment. Had I known it would be this bad, I would have shopped around to a different provider. They are supposed to be securing my house, and I can't trust that they can even do that. If I could get out of my contract, I definitely would.

ADT response

Hello Marissa-We apologize for any trouble that you are having. We have located your account and see that this sale and installation were performed by an independent ADT authorized dealer, LVD Concepts. We will be reaching out to them regarding this concern. Expected response time is 24-48 business hours. If anything is needed in the interim, you may email us. We appreciate your patience. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: March 4, 2019

In November 2017 we purchased a two storage buildings and decided to have a simple alarm system put in them. They are right next to each other; about 15 feet apart. An ADT Salesman came out and said they could install an alarm system for the two buildings. It would be about $250 for install and then $44/month after that. Super simple. So we signed all the paperwork via "e-signature" and later found out that he has set us up with two separate accounts, one for "building A" and one for "building B", and we started getting bills for each building at $44/month, rather than one bill (so twice the amount he had quoted us). I called the salesman and he was no longer with the company.

It took me OVER A YEAR to finally get them to come out and fix the issue so that we have one account for the two buildings. I spend hours and hours on the phone with various customer service people. This is time I will never get back. Not to mention the collection calls (because I refused to pay for the account I didn't authorize). The local Manager, Jarod, is a JOKE... Promises to return phone calls and never does. I have never experienced such poor customer service in my entire life. After the two accounts were finally combined into one (14 months later), they said they would clear out the amount due on the account I had not authorized, but they never did, so the collection calls continued. I finally paid the bill out of complete frustration. If you have any other choices in your area DO NOT choose ADT. They are too big to care about their customers, and they don't.

Original review: March 4, 2019

We have sold our home. When we notified ADT we wanted to cancel our services. They told us there was a penalty because our contract was for 36 months. Although this is stated in the contract, we were never told at signing this was in the agreement. We have been in our home for 2 years and 4 months but the remainder of the contract is $358. They will give us a 25% discount, making the penalty $268.50. They also will give us $400 for new equipment for our new home but we have to sign another 36 month contract. We just want to stop the service and not pay the penalty. Could someone help us resolve this dispute, please?

ADT response

Hello Debbie. Thank you for reaching out. We are unable to further reduce or waive the costs associated with termination your contract early. When the contract was signed, you advised that you read and agreed to all of the terms and conditions associated with that agreement. Please call ADT for further questions or inquires in regards to canceling or relocating the services. Thank you. -Andrew

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 2, 2019

This is perhaps one of the worst site I visit each month. Nothing ever works. I didn’t even get a confirmation number this time, just a cc validated message. Went back in to see if it actually paid the bill and there was nothing to say one way or the other if it was paid or if the auto pay will just start next month. It's confusing and not user friendly. My panel has been fixed once already and is having the same problem. Upon moving I was told I had to start a new contract, I couldn’t transfer my existing contract that only had a few months left on, I was told I had to buy a new one. Only after signing the new contract was I told that I could’ve paid out and released myself but it was “unfortunately too late now”. I’ve only had negative experiences with ADT and look forward to leaving this crooked company for good, well as soon as my FORCED contract is up.

ADT response

Hello Rebecca-We apologize for any issues that you are experiencing. Please contact ADT so we may review these concerns and assist in resolving. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: March 1, 2019

I noticed that they do not have a reviews tab... There is likely a reason for this. I 100% encourage people to use a different company, I thought I was getting ADT at a price I was told, but Defenders has the contract for the first few months. I was told my bill would be $42.00 a month, I was suppose to get 2 months free service, and $300 in gift cards. This was due to the fact that the only reason I let them come to my house and chose ADT was because of the monthly rate that I was told on the phone, which was $29.00 and $99 for install of 7 specific items. They come to my house and tell me that that is not even an option.

I told the tech that I am a single mom who works full time and I am 100% on a budget every single week. I wanted an alarm system for that fact also, that it is just me and my daughter, I want to protect her and our home. He made some phone calls, came back and said that they could do $42.00 a month, 2 months free service, and $300 in gift cards. I reluctantly agreed because at this point he had already installed this panel on my wall, I had already taken time off work to meet them at my house.

When everything was installed and completed, he had me sign some stuff, you know how they do this, you don't really have any idea what you're signing because it's on a tiny tablet and all there is is a signature line, but he is telling me what it all says, and it is everything that I stated above. I also specifically said, "I do not want this on auto draft." I used a credit card for the install that day and I do not want to pay my bill with a credit card. He said he got it all set up that way. This was all on January 16th.

On January 25th, I had a big payment come out of my credit card account, so I called. I spoke with a gentlemen that wasn't listening to what I was asking for, he kept telling me that he was setting my account up for paper bills which would charge me additional, and I kept telling him, "No I am not asking for that, I just want my card taken off file." He finally told me I would have to call ADT to do that, which I then told him I had just called and they sent me to Defenders. He was unhelpful and not willing to help with the very simple task I was asking him to do. I was not upset or angry, I was just trying to get my card off file and he ended up hanging up on me.

I immediately called back and asked to speak with a manager. I told this manager what had just happened and then expressed my concern that things were not set up correctly to begin with. She informed me that it was not, there was nothing in the file about 2 months free service, nothing about gift cards, the price was higher than what I was told and that my account was set up on auto draft.

At this point I feel like I was lied to just to get me into this service, which as an honest person, makes me feel scared to have a dishonest company protecting my home with my daughter in it. I told her, just cancel it, I don't like how this has all happened, I do not feel like I can trust this. She told me I would have to pay a few thousand dollars to cancel it, even though I had not even had it a week. I was not satisfied with the service I had gotten in that short amount of time, she would try to see what she could do to get the things I was told taken care of.

An hour into this 2nd phone call, she tells me I will get the $44 price monthly, that the original $42 wasn't even an option, but another tech would have to come back out to my house to have this changed. I was also suppose to get a refund of $105 back to my credit card and $300 in gift cards. So I thought this was going to be taken care of, she sent me an email with all of this info in it. The refund was suppose to have been back on the card within 7-15 business days, a tech was scheduled to come out to my house the following day, so I took another day off work to be at home to get this corrected. The tech assured me that this was not how they do business as I told him about the bad experience I had had thus far and assured me that the account would be corrected. I was hopeful he was telling the truth.

Fast forward 2+ weeks. I still had not received the refund so I call to see what the status was on that, I was told I would not get it until the 25th, which contradicted the email I had been sent saying 7-15 days. During this phone call I asked that a copy of my contract be sent to me because I did not have one yet. She said she would email it over. That was the end of that phone call. Still no contract.

Fast forward to Feb 22. I logged on to the website to see if I had a bill yet, because I wasn't sure when it would be due, and what do you know, I am being charged for services I DO NOT HAVE, $53.99. So I called again. I was told that the deposit would be there on the 25th of February and that they had changed my bill, that one was not correct and a new one would be sent out. I also asked again on this call about the contract and requested that it be sent again, she said they would email it over. They said I am still suppose to be getting the gift cards as well. Thinking that this was all the truth, I got off the phone.

February 28th, refund still not there, so I call again. I told them everything again, everything I had been told thus far by the multiple people I had spoke with. I was transferred to a "manager" and I expressed my concerns with the whole situation. This manager didn't really care that I had already been through the ringer with this company and told me that another tech would have to come out to the house to get it set up correctly because apparently the 2nd visit still was not correct.

I told him, I had already taken off work twice for this and you guys are expecting me to take off a 3rd day now in hopes that someone can finally figure out what they are doing? He was very rude and careless, which now I am upset because this is exhausting, having to call and tell this over and over again and be trusting a company to protect myself and my 3 year old daughter when I cannot even trust that my account is set up correctly and that they will refund me my money.

Also at this point, I am getting interest charges because I had been budgeting a refund to pay that, which still as of 3/1/19 I do not have. I offered ZERO compensation or compassion for that matter because I am having to deal with all of this. This "manager" was incredibly rude and careless for my situation. He hung up on me. In this conversation, I also asked for a copy of my contract and still have not received it.

Here's the deal. I have been repeatedly lied to. As an honest person, this is extremely unsettling to me. I do not feel like I am any safer now than I was a month ago, I do not trust that this dishonest company is protecting myself and my daughter, why would they when they do not care enough to charge someone the correct amount or issue a refund when they tell people they will. There is nothing about my whole experience that has been good or honest. I was lied to to get trapped into a contract to begin with. I have tried to get this handled, numerous times at that.

I get that each person on the phone is different and has no control of the previous person and I keep this in mind while speaking to them each time, trying my best to be patient while having to explain the nightmare of process to them, but what I do not understand is that seems to not be a set of standards to which this company operates. I am out of options at this point, I cannot get anyone to help and get it FINALLY corrected or just let me out of my contract. I have had to resort to social media and possible other options at this point because there is not a person within the company to step up and fix anything.

Original review: March 1, 2019

When I called the sales rep told me I qualified for 8 items free, a 800.00 value. When the tech came out he said only 4 of the 8 items come with the deal, but for $4000,00 more we could add them plus other items. Then he proceeded to put a glass break in the door way between the living room and dining room. That was very attractive, then put a motion detector 4 feet off the floor behind a dining room chair, this would be great if my chair was able to jump up and down if the house was ever broken into. Was not given any kind of instruction manual. Just a little folder telling me all about my bill and when it is due.

I called the customer service number, this too was useless, lady was rather rude, and told me if I want to cancel the service I must do so by tomorrow by fax only. Who has a fax machine these days. I will find some office supply who still has one and get it faxed tomorrow. She did let me know if I didn't I will our for three years of service. What ever happened to customer service and trying to please a customer. Unless you want poor service with bad attitude, do not call ADT

ADT response

Hello James. We apologize for the experience that you have had with your installation. We have located your account and see that this sale and installation were performed by an independent ADT authorized dealer, Defender Security. We will be reaching out to them regarding this concern. Expected response time is 24-48 business hours. If you are needing to contact ADT in the interim, please email us. We appreciate your patience. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I agreed with sales agent / installer for a complete / total / maximum security with best wide covering door camera to be installed on a month as the camera was not available at that day. I waited for 2 months and called ADT to find out. First agent apologized and told me to pay $ 134 negotiated for installation and $1.6? per month additional for service. I disagreed and asked for complaint department. The complaint agent apologized and asked me to pay $ 150 for installation and $1.92 per month for service and that this is a take it or leave it offer. I had no option and agreed to the monthly service charge increase but requested free installation as it would be installed the first day if they had the camera in stock which is not my fault. No answer. The answer was NO. I will not renew my contract and if there is a ADT customer care service, they have to solve this issue.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Their entire promotions are based on lies. I would give no stars if that is possible. When we bought a new home we were contacted by ADT with a promotion that for zero dollars we can get equipments and set up service for a monthly cost of 29$. We were asked for credit card information and told that the technician will come, look at house and provide details of security service. We can deny the service if we don't like it. During call we were not told that they are going to deduct 99$. When technicians arrived it was Quentin **, trainee Wil and regional officer Casey. I mentioned I don’t want to set up any service today and that is when they mentioned that our credit card was already deducted for today's service and there is no point in saying no now.

The mistake I made was that I should have denied the service even if were to lose the 100$. They were not transparent from the beginning, only after complete setup of equipments they revealed that we need to have a landline to avail the 29$ service and if not we have to pay 53$. They set up lot of equipments that I agreed to install for 600$ and told that they will provide a doorbell camera for free. At that point I didn’t have a wifi and hence they said they will come back to set it up. Today when a new technician came to set up the doorbell he mentioned I have to pay a 299$ one time fee to upgrade to a get that service. I was not informed of this cost upfront.

In addition to this, they promised a 300$ gift card since I was not happy before signing the contract. Later I realized that we had to get a gift certificate, take a money order for 5$ per 100$ gift card and mail the documents to MPell. We have mailed the documents and it’s been over 1 month and we haven't received the gift cards yet. Every time we call Customer service, we have to wait for hours to get resolutions or updates. During set up we were also told that if we were unhappy with service we can cancel it up to 6 months. But when we called the customer service, they mentioned that they can cancel service only if there is something wrong with equipment and they can’t fix it in 3 visits. Again these details were not provided to us.

My biggest complaint is that they were so caught up in selling the service and getting a customer sign up for contract, they were not clear on the conditions and transparent in explaining the costs and process involved while subscribing to that service. If I was informed of these in the beginning, I would have denied the service and not signed a 3 year contract. Please be careful when you get into sales call, make sure to take a day or two to think through and read the complete contract agreements before taking up this service. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the salesperson say, once we sign the contract we have to live with it.

ADT response

Hello George-We apologize for any trouble regarding your installation. We have located your account and see that this sale and installation were performed by an independent ADT authorized dealer, Defender Security. We will be reaching out to them regarding this concern. Expected response time is 24-48 business hours. Should you need to reach out to ADT directly, please email us. We appreciate your patience. Thank you. -Gabe

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have been fighting with ADT to cancel a purported "contract" that they said my mother entered into. They have provided absolutely no proof other than sending me a "contract" with an electronic signature which is no proof that my mother ever agreed to anything as they cannot provide any support for what was purportedly signed electronically. She does not recall signing anything or agreeing to anything. Their "proof" is that they sent an e-mail to her IP address. I asked whether they could simply send a contract to someone and then claim that because they can verify the IP address that they can consider that they have a contract (the agent was telling me that the proof is that they can verify the IP address). The agent indicated that they would only send a contract if someone called asking for a service contract - which my mother never did (she had called asking for a service appointment).

The agent then indicated that the person would have to verify the contract via e-mail - which my mother never did. Instead of simply releasing us from this sham "contract" they have insisted both times I talked to them that she has to fill out a fraud affidavit, which contains canned language that is not accurate for this situation and that requires my mother to certify that she will testify to a tribunal about what is in the affidavit. So I am left with the choice of potentially making my 85 year old mother go testify in order to get out of this sham contract or paying this awful, awful company a few hundred dollars that they aren't owed so that she can have peace of mind. Stay far, far away. ADT is shameful.

ADT response

Hi Jenny- Thanks for talking with our team today! As discussed with your self and your mother, ADT will work to resolve this with you ASAP. the account has been updated and a final bill will be sent to the billing/ monitoring address. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance!- Tim L

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I contacted ADT and had a tech come out to install the system. Tech was friendly at first but when I decided I didn't want to pay the equipment charges up front and told him I was going to look around he became very aggressive to the point that I had to ask him to leave 6 times, I also threaten to call the police if he didn't leave.

The full story is that I was under the impression that I had ADT in the past (when we didn't we had another company). He attempted to assist us in waiving the fee but was still insistent that we had to pay the camera fee which again I told him I didn't want to pay anything more than the initial installation fee upfront (which I had already paid of $99) and then the monthly fees. This man became aggressive, loud, and argumentative in front of my 3 1/2 year old. I was scared and had the phone in my had to call 911. This was a horrible experience and should never have happened.

This man was in my home. He had no right to speak to me the way he did in front on my 3 1/2 year old. This experience needs to be reviewed/investigated. To top it off he called a customer service agent to assist me in getting my $99 back and the agent was just as bad. By the time the tech was finally going to leave he told my 3 1/2 year old "I"m not sure why your mommy doesn't want to protect you." What is this? How is this allowed/tolerated.

ADT response

Thereza - Thank you for reaching out. Our team has received your concern via our Facebook page and have provided this to the ADT Authorized Dealer that your recent interactions occurred with. [Defenders] is an independently owned and operated retailer of our monitoring services. Therefore, they install and sell their own alarm equipment.

For these reasons, we would need to escalate your complaints through them, as they would be the party to resolve your concerns. A rep from their team should be contacting you shortly to discuss. Thank you! - Tim L

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I've been an ADT customer for several years. I recently moved to a new home. I called ADT before I moved and notified them that I was moving and told them I needed to transfer my services. I had a rep from ADT come out to my new house and signed the paperwork to transfer services. ADT continued to bill me for my old house. I called and they said I never cancelled my old contract and it would take 30 days from the date of that phone call so I would continue to be billed until that took effect. I later logged into my account and it said that I owed $1035.46 for cancelling my contract. I didn't cancel my contract. I transferred services. I called ADT again. I was assured that the mistake would be corrected and I wouldn't be charged.

A week later I logged in and it still said that I owed $1035.46 and that it was going to be taken out of my checking account. I called again and again. I was assured that the money would not be drafted from my checking. The money was drafted from my checking account. I immediately called ADT and complained. I was told that I would see my money back in my checking account within 3 days. 10 days later I still do not have my money back. I just called again today and was told there was a 15 day hold put on the refund. Why? Why would ADT put a hold on my refund for a huge mistake that they made? Now I have been promised that I will see the money in 3 more days. I've had it with ADT. After this contract is up I will never use ADT ever again.

ADT response

Hello Keri-We apologize for any trouble this has caused. We see that you have been working with a member of our Customer Relations team, Nicole. She will see your issue through to resolution. If anything else is needed, please email us. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

As a small business we take our investments seriously and our vendor choices just as serious. We chose ADT because the breadth of services offered and the ability to monitor your systems remotely was impressive. We had an amazing sales rep and after the job was sold, she did a great job making sure everything was done on a timely basis. After all was in and up and running, we started having issues with 1 of our 2 camera systems. The system kept going down and we had to constantly reboot the system and call for service. This problem got escalated to a service management team and after a bit of time, the system was stable.

My issue with the company is that they sell 24 hour monitoring products and when your systems go down, which is to protect your business, you can't get anyone out for 24 - 48 hours or greater depending on the tech availability. I have requested to have a meeting with the head of service in my area and of course have heard NOTHING. This whole service model for a commercial account is ridiculous. I have already invested in my system, but if you are looking for a commercial surveillance system, look for a company that can get your system up and running in a timely manner and a company that will give you an emergency service call option. These systems are too expensive and too important for the viability of a company. Choose wisely.

ADT response

Hi Jeffrey- Thanks for reaching out. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we're happy to hear the sales and install were to your satisfaction. We're sorry to hear about your issues with scheduling service, and the troubles with the camera system. ADT does offer emergency after hours service requests if the customer seeks immediate service. Standard after hours pricing would apply. We do see service is scheduled for today, 2/25. If additional assistance is needed, please feel free to contact our team directly at 1 800 238 2727. Thank you- Tim L

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

ADT Created a Double Account and overcharged church for 16 years. Last week I called ADT to see if we could combined our church burglar alarm (ADT) and our fire alarm, since we have our fire alarm with another company. Also we wanted to know if they could upgrade our equipment since our equipment is 16 years old and reduce the amount that we were paying since we know how much other business are paying and it felt that we were paying way too much. A Commercial Alarm specialist came to the church and he said that they combining the alarms would not be a problem, and that he will work on the numbers and send me a proposal later on that day.

The next day he called me to ask me if the church has two accounts or two panels. Because the system was showing that we have two accounts. I told him that for 16 years we only have one account. He said that they needed to send a technician to verify that information. Next day the tech. came, and verified that we only have one panel and one account. He even mentioned that looks like the paperwork got mix-up and we have been charged for two accounts for a long time, and that ADT will do us right by returning the money that was overpaid for whatever time we were overcharged (16 years) since ADT is a company of integrity.

Today I received a message from ADT that they will replace our panel for free and combine the alarms for free because we been a very loyal customer. I ask what will happen with the money that was overpaid and he said that he does not know anything about that. He was told to do the panels for free because we were good customer. I explained to the Commercial Specialist that the church appreciates the good faith on the free panel, but the alarms and the overpaid funds are two different transactions.

I ask him to please give me a Management POC he said that he can only give me his email, because he is never there anyway. It's been a week and nobody has contacted me to apologize or even explained what happened, and why we were overcharged. I'm hoping that ADT with a revenue over $4 billion dollars is not trying to do harm to a nonprofit Christian church.

ADT response

Hello Wilfredo- We see that you are currently working with one our management team members. If you would like to discuss this further please email us. Thank you! -Jackie

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

FYI... ADT does NOT install or sell you your system. It is sold and installed by a 3rd party contractor. Defenders. I don't need to slander them. All you have to do is go check out the nearly 1700 Better Business Bureau complaints they have had. I still don't know what my outcome will be as I have been trying to get someone back out here after the 2nd day of their initial install. No show after no show. This is ADT's long time contractor that has countless numbers of unhappy customers. ADT is just as responsible. They are accountable for the contractors they employ and apparently it's just the ones with the lowest bids.

Customer satisfaction means nothing to them as this contract company loves to boast how they have been ADT's contractor since 1998. All you get is a runaaround. Managers never available. You not allowed to have names or numbers. I went back to ADT and still so far nothing. Which why would expect anything different? They already have my money and me for 3 yrs! DON'T DO IT PEOPLE. FIND YOURSELF AN HONEST HOME SECURITY COMPANY! I can only hope that they actually respond like they claim to if I ever need them.

ADT response

Hello Kellie- We apologize for the negative experience. May we have your phone number and the address associated with your system emailed to us so that we can further assist? Thank you. -Mazen

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The worst customer service! ADT are Crooks, the alarm never work. Unauthorized charges in my credit. They never followed up to fix the alarm panel. The worst customer service. ADT just cares about ripping you off!

ADT response

Hello Manny-We apologize for any issues that you have experienced. Please email us with your account information and we'll be happy to assist with anything that is outstanding. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had ADT installed in a house I am renting in July 2018; the contract term was for three years. Recently I was offered and accepted a position with a company overseas; I report to my job the first week of May 2019. In preparation of moving overseas for two years, I began contacting all companies I do business with and explained the situation. All companies (cable, house leasing, telephone, etc.), except ADT, allowed me to cancel my contracts effective 04/30/2019 (the day I am leaving). I spoke with five people at ADT over the course of two hours on the phone. Each person said they couldn't help me and I would be assessed a $900 early termination fee.

The fifth person, who stated he was the highest level manager who would take a live phone call, said there was nothing he could do and we would be assessed the fee... It's just the way it is. I explained the situation, that the decision on my part was not malicious and it was a job opportunity of a lifetime. He said there was nothing he could so unless it was a military deployment. I advised it wasn't military related and ADT doesn't provide service where I am moving to. He said since I was making an "at will" decision to move, they would hold me to my contract and charge me a $900 fee. I am very saddened that ADT has taken such a harsh stance with regard to this matter. If ADT services the area I was moving to, I would gladly transfer the service. When I return to the USA from job assignment in two years, ADT WILL NOT be me on my list of security service providers.

ADT response

Hi Troy- Congratulations on your recent job! That is definitely exciting news! In regards to your ADT contract, the terms of the agreement are fully disclosed at the time of installation. By signing, you are acknowledging that you have read and understand the presented terms, and accept them. ADT automatically discounts the cost of premature cancellation by 25% on all residential accounts. This is a courtesy that you are contractually guaranteed. If services are re- established in your name within 24 months (If you do move back to the states) you would be refunded any previous payments. This also applies if the new residents in your current home activate a new contract in their name, within 24 months of your termination of services. Let us know if we can be of any further assistance!- Tim L

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I used ADT since 2011. I paid my bill automatically through ACH so my payments were complete and on time. When I sold my house I called to have ADT cancelled and they told me there is a 30-day notice. I did not realize that (had not read my contract since starting service with them) so that's my bad. She did tell me that if the new owner initiated service then my account would be discontinued immediately. As a result, even though we closed on the 24th of January, I was obligated until 19 February. When I looked at my bank statement for February, I saw that they had withdrawn payment for the entire month so I logged on to my ADT account and saw that there was nothing about me cancelling my account.

I called customer service and they could not find my account by the account number or the address. As it turns out, the new owner initiated service when he moved in. I asked the customer service guy about that and he said that I was obligated by contract until the 19th b/c they required 30-days notice. So basically, for about 3 weeks, ADT is getting paid double. I realize that legally they are probably correct, but from a customer service standpoint, they are wrong. I am searching for a security system for my business and my new home and there is no way I will use ADT.

ADT response

Hello Barb- We apologize for any trouble you've had with your cancellation. Please email us so we may review the concern with you. Thank you. -Mazen

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

This is the worst company to deal with. My home flooded during Hurricane Harvey and therefore none of my ADT equipment was working and would not be working again due to my whole house had to be gutted. I called and they told me they would issue credit in which I am thinking back to my bank account since they had auto payments set up on their end which I did when I signed on because they stated it gave you a discount. (I will never do this again.) What they did is not charge me for the monthly bill for the nonworking equipment and a few months later started taking money out of my account again for 6 months. After I tried to cancel a second time they sent me a letter stating I had to send in writing to cancel. Whoever heard of this nonsense. I took it to the BBB and still could not get my money back. Beware of this company.

ADT response

Hello Dana-We apologize for any trouble you've had with your cancellation. Please email us so we may review with you. Thank you. -Gabe

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Billing me for March when I canceled in January! I just received an emailed bill for March! I canceled my ADT service in January and have a confirmation number! I understood that I had to pay for February according to their "policy" (what a rip off). Anyway I paid for February. Now I get a bill emailed to me for March! I don't like their policies and I don't trust this company. I fully expect to be ripped off in March! I have been a good customer with them for 9 years! This is not good treatment of a good customer. Further my system has not worked since last August. I wrote them a letter about it. No reply and no offer to compensate for lack of monitoring.

ADT response

Hello Gary-We apologize for any oversight. Please email us so we can assist with this issue. Thank you. -Gabe

ADT expert review by Ben Mannes

Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.

• Professional installation: Many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation, often for less than $100 total cost.

• ADT Pulse: This interactive system gives you remote access to home automation accessible via mobile app. The app lets users turn lights on and off, adjust their thermostats and more.

• Highly customized systems: An ADT technician will do a home visit to discuss your security goals and ADT system capabilities. The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement.

• Satisfaction guarantee: ADT offers a six-month money back guarantee so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.

• Existing systems: ADT has packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home. These customers can save a significant amount by avoiding installation and equipment fees.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

ADT Company Information