toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

ADT

Susan, thank you so much for sharing your story and for your recommendation! We could not be any happier than to hear this! We are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you have any question about you possible upgrade. -Katie

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I Love our home security, and the company do a great job on keeping me up to date on the latest news. Thanks for being there for us. When people ask me about security, I always recommend to ADT since we had a such a great experience. I will looking further into more security with your company in the near future.

ADT

Pat, thank you so much for your 10 years of dedication to ADT and for your recommendation. We are so pleased to hear you are enjoying your upgrade. Thank you for sharing your story with us and for the kind words! -Katie

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

We've had ADT for 10 years and we've had it upgraded a couple of times since then. We've got a remote, smoke detectors, and I can arm and disarm it from my phone. Everybody has been very pleasant and helpful. They've taken care of what we needed them for, and so far, I'm very satisfied with the service. ADT is very reliable, courteous, and they have good service. We would recommend them highly.

ADT

Pamela, thank you so much for sharing your story and for your recommendation! You and your pet's safety and peace of mind mean the word to us! -Katie

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I love the peace of mind having ADT has given me. I have pets and my biggest concern is their safety when I am not home. The couple of times that my alarm has gone off (once for a glass break alarm when I was home, once when I opened the front door without disabling the alarm) ADT was on it! They called right away! The company that installed my system, Safe Haven here in St. Louis, was awesome as well. The person that installed was professional and thorough. I was impressed! This is important as it is the first face of ADT with the customer. Well done ADT!! I will highly recommend you!

ADT

Jennifer, thank you so much for sharing your positive experience with our team. We are so pleased to hear this! Our team is always here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. -Katie

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

I have ADT for over 3 years now so far it has been working great! Whenever I have questions, I call customer service, they are always so pleasant and very helpful! Even the technician that come out to put the system in. He was so helpful! Thank you for a wonderful service!

ADT

Andre, thank you so much for the positive feedback and for sharing your story. We are always here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. -Katie

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

ADT has delivered the kind of customer service they said they would. With fast and efficient service I was very satisfied with the outcome. Especially with the follow up they did, also. Go with ADT and you will not be disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT?

ADT

Hello Jamine. Thank you for your review and I'm sorry for this concern. At your convenience please call us at 1-800-238-2727 and speak with our billing team in regards to your current rate to see what we can do. Thank you. -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

We have been long time customers and have recommended your service to everyone who have asked. We appreciate our service and the years have gone uneventful, thanks to the alarm system. We only had one attempt since we have had ADT, which paid for itself right then! My question is if there is a discounted rate for long time customers. I see ads all the time for a rate way less than what we pay each month, $50.99. After 5 or 10 years with your company, I would think, would constitute a discounted price. :(

ADT

Hello Virginia. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're happy to hear that you're pleased with the service and look forward to serving you! -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 8, 2017

My ADT service package includes the alarm system but it's not hooked to any camera. I'm happy with the service and I have no complaints. The sales reps gave me what I wanted. The installation team that came was polite and showed me everything and helped me out with things I needed to know. It's been an awesome experience and I'm pleased.

ADT

Hi Stanley. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're happy to hear that ADT is there for you when you need us. Have a great day! -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I love ADT and I'm very happy with it. It does what I want. Our ADT package has several services, and I have a nice box that I only lock and unlock. I don’t use any of the five various switches that are on it. At one time, the alarm got ringing and after we tried to resolve the issue and everything is quiet and I was sitting down here in my TV room, there was a lady sheriff prowling around in my front yard. She came out here to check on things because I just called my emergency contact people. It was kind of entertaining more than anything.

And then the last time I had an issue was in the last few months when I came home and the alarm was ringing. I came down the stairs and apparently I pushed the first of my four digits at the same time as the ringer, so I didn’t hear it register. So, I hit the number again because I didn’t think I did. However, I hit a five-digit number instead of a four-digit number and somebody called me on the box and asked what was going on. We then had a very entertaining conversation about making sure I pushed the buttons in between the rings.

Additionally, last winter, all my things went out - the telephone, television, computer, and ADT. So, we had various people here trying to turn things off and on. They got everything working except the telephone. It rings through the ADT box and I'm perfectly happy with it. I don’t want anybody to fix it because when I'm downstairs and I've left the little phone upstairs I can hear an alarm down here. I can hear the phone ringing even if I had no idea where the phone is. It sort of helped.

Customer Services seems to be responsive and always courteous. I considered other security alarm companies, but ADT has been in business a long and has a good reputation. That's all that needs to be said. If you want a responsive and always courteous alarm company, choose ADT. I considered other security alarm companies.

ADT

Hi Steven. Thank you for your review. Although batteries are no longer included in servicing the alarm system, we can still walk you through on how to replace them once you purchase the battery from a local surplus store. Please call us at 1-800-238-2727 for assistance and we'll gladly help. -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Originally, I had the service plan where in addition to my monthly monitoring, I also pay for service if anything breaks. ADT used to come and check the system once a year and if batteries were low or worn-out, they'd put new ones and everything was fine. But then they cut that service out. They said they'll service the system if something breaks down, but are no longer going to do a checking to monitor as well. The consumer is not aware of where the batteries are or how to go up on ladders and change them. Now we just wait until the battery goes dead and some alarm goes, and that's no good.

ADT

Stan, we are so pleased to hear you are satisifed with your service. Thank you for sharing! -Katie

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Our system was installed when the house was built and progressively ended up with ADT. My fire alarm company was bought out by ADT. I'm extremely satisfied with their service. They monitor well and they call when there are alarms.

ADT

Hello Stephanie- We apologize for the confusion and trouble ensued. With the exception of the state of California, all ADT contracts are a standard of 3 years--including dealer contracts.

Your agreement stipulates that cancelling prematurely would result in being billing for 75% of the remaining contract balance.

I have located your account and show that your services are currently pending disconnection. As a courtesy, we will apply a 30% discount off of your final balance in the form of a credit. Once your cancellation is fully processed, you will receive your final invoice in the mail.

Thank you for reaching out! ~Trèchell

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

Terrible from the start. Never got $200.00 gift card. Don't use service at all now and when I did alarm could go off and ADT never responded. Went to cancel today, as I thought had 2 year contract and I'm moving. Found out minimum contract is 3 years (my bad) and only way service can be transferred is if I sign up for a new 3 year contract? No way!!! Get this. Will have to pay $500.00 to get out of contract, unless people who bought home want to reactivate service... Asked and was told "buyers have had a bad experience with ADT and have no interest in reactivating service." Go figure. How is this company even in business? 50 years old and truly one of worst experiences ever with a company and that is saying a lot. They are crooks.

ADT

Hi Thomas. Thank you for your review and we greatly appreciate the years you've spent with us. At your convenience, please call us at 1-800-238-2727 and speak with our billing department to discuss your current rate and we'll see what we can do. -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

ADT was in my previous home when I moved there in '85 and I had it ever since. I like them pretty much and have been satisfied. However, they are not the cheapest. I'm well aware of other security companies that are a bit cheaper. But, you get what you pay for.

My ADT system needs to be fixed. The ringer is not loud enough. One time I came in and forgot to put it off, it went off and it's very low. If somebody came here and they hear that, it won't scare them. I had called about this one time and they told me they could give me a louder ringer. I just have to set an appointment. But other than that, everything is okay so far. When I call, I get them immediately and they tell me what I ask them.

ADT

Hello- We thank you for reaching out. We have located your account but do not show that we have been in contact with you since 2015 regarding your services... If we may be of assistance, we encourage you to message us with your detailed concerns so that we may be of assistance. Thank you! ~Trèchell

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

ADT security is failing us pretty badly - faulty hook ups, and false alarms when it isn't even hooked up?! But of course they won't let us out of the contract, even though we are not receiving a product. Yes there have been attempts to remedy the situations, multiple attempts in fact, with the same result and we are so dissatisfied we simply want to distance ourselves from ADT. If the company would admit their faults and let us walk away, I might even reconsider them at another time in the future, but our complaints are met with sub par service, repeated mistakes and inadequate product performance, and no way out of the contract despite their "money back guarantee" which irreversibly cements a negative association with the brand.

I need to know a way to ditch this company when their product falters repeatedly. I am not going to pay a company solely for signing a contract with them when they don't deliver the expected product. I would like to avoid pursuing a lawsuit but it is quickly becoming the only option. It is as if the only way ADT makes money is selling contracts only and disregarding the customer.

We met Alex at a home show & have had ADT in the past. We just recently purchased a home & with recent issues in our neighborhood we wanted a security system again. Alex came out, worked with us & our old equip we had. But our only complaint is The Ring Doorbell and the lack of knowledge the sales staff has with being able to access it at anytime. Wrong. After thirty days you have to pay more to access the cloud. Not good.

ADT

Hi Steve. Thank you for your review. If you're interested in the future regarding a possible upgrade to the service you have, please give us a call to discuss options/ possible promotions available at 1-888-211-8563, and we'll be happy to assist . -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

We had Brink's and then they got bought up by ADT. Then, the ADT's sales rep came out and looked us over. We called him up once because the only reason we have a landline is because of the alarm. Then, a couple of years ago when we were snowbirds at the time in the RV, we called him out and said, "What would it cost if we got rid of our landline and go wireless?" And he said, "Oh, that would be possible." But then he looked at our system and said we have to do a complete replacement of whatever we have. It was very expensive so we just stayed with our little landline and everything is doing well.

Factual basis uncertain

When they installed my house alarm system I was offered additional equipment for a total of $1300. I canceled next day because I didn't know they were going to charge that much money... Now they charged me the amount and I never received any equipment... Now it's been over a month that I keep calling trying to fix the problem but still no answers... Ridiculous that they don't want talk to me.

ADT

Hello Miles- Thank you very much for reaching out! We genuinely apologize for the experience that you have had! Please be advised that we have forwarded your concern to our Canadian team for review and they will be in touch with you. We thank you for your patience! ~Trèchell

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

We have dealt with ADT for over 9 years and this last few months has been the worst customer service continuously for lack of follow up and through on any and all complaints we have lodged with 4x different departments from sales office, to head office to customer loyalty and its manager to office of executive customer complaints. Not any of them followed up or through on the complaints and the ADT sold to a franchise model to the Mississauga sales office can literally say and not honor whatever was promised in writing in the field to customers! We were informed months ago from a manager Ben our sales person we were dealing with was ripping us off and overcharging and he can and would lower our bill by $15-$20 a month including taxes. He would upgrade our PVR a use to be $600 cost for $200 non digital but he goes and quits.

Because he quits no one will honor his deal to us in writing. We have a senior sales man come to us John ** who will walk through and even fix and adjust our alarm for our dog and handle everything we want. He quickly sits down and I ask him "do you need a walk through?" He confirms no. He looked at my file and he is prepared to offer me $5,000+ of equipment to upgrade me from my pulse to digital off the pulse as digital is the way to go and will be coming on line with the pulse in the coming weeks. And I could pick from many cameras whatever one I want even though he not I knew the differences of the cameras so it felt like the blind leading the blind.

He said he would do everything we needed for $4,000+. We said, "what's the warranty like." He said as long as we are with ADT with ADT equipment it is fully warrantied and covered to fix and maintain and replace if need be. We said,me and my wife we wanted a break down of costs to consider and confirm what we would go with and what we wanted to exclude. He said no it was a package deal and he is not prepared to break it down for us?

I looked at suggested retail and average price on line and offered him far less than he was quoting. He replied no and I said, "well, then this was a waste of our time," and he was free to leave and he demanded he wouldn't leave until we had a deal and was now prepared to lower our cost. And we said how and he said by removing the "free cameras" he included. This made me and my wife mad as a free camera we didn't ask for should be free or shouldn't be their padding out high price of an existing alarm system bought and owned already.

We asked him to leave or again break down the itemized cost of everything included in our package he had made with no walk though or confirmation of what we wanted or were looking for. We reported to head office his boss and it took several days but head office just sent a new request for sales office to send someone out. He called and said John ** is one of the best and he offered a good price and he didn't want to waste his time and if I wanted him to still come out the price would be more so. Furthermore he is unwilling and won't come out spoke to us and at us never got to reply and he hung up. Head office never followed up or through and the sales office was able to defend and do as they please.

We spoke to his manager who claims he is a good guy. Sent out another person whose pricing got more expensive. No two people or the same people could say or offer the same package or price twice which made the complete process seem less legitimate. We went to customer loyalty and their manager who offered us pricing to consider and when I called back they would only offer some as now they couldn't sell us everything we wanted. We had to deal with the sales office apparently. In the middle of the month and week in this past Nov 2016 things changed out of thin air?

We moved to Darlene ** from executive customer complaint office which was never pointed out to have existed and explained everything and she was horrified and promised to resolve. Spoke to apparently another person claiming to be John ** boss who had been missing in action for the last 6 weeks and he too could not or wouldn't offer the offer of the previous manager Ben even though we all his offer in email to us. Darlene saw our install of what was to be everything we wanted but ended up after waiting 6 weeks to not be everything. No cameras or DVR / PVR was on the truck or order no supplies needed to assist with our 20 lb dog but were had for another order but not ours and 3 weeks later no follow up or through to remedy or fix for us.

Promised equipment was missing and is still missing and Darlene has disappeared. When we contracted her during the install she claimed she would get back to us the next day. A few days later she did say she would follow up and disappeared. A week later goes on vacation for 2 weeks and after returning to work 2 days ago no emails or phone calls or messages returned via phone or email. And this shows us that ADT doesn't care doesn't have customer service and is free to destroy a brand and reputation built for years because a poor sales office run like time share sales. Make up a high price take it or leave it!

We researched other companies and offers to consider alarm and think Protection Rogers and Alarm Force all have processes and price plans that are for everyone not made up. Don't waste your time as we have go somewhere your business is valued and a process is had and will be followed. Darlene noted our problem and problems and a new customer service model was coming sometime in 2017 but it looks too late and well over due. Our experience has been **.

ADT has provided excellent service throughout the time I have been a customer. Would like to see more rewards given to long standing customers like myself; this would help to maintain that customer base. Additional devices for a customer's current home system would be a good reward for long time customers.

I called ADT due to sensors not working. We set up appointment for a technician. Once he arrived he stated a price that was unreal. I called in. They gave me the price of 44 dollars due to the plan we had but the repairman stated he wasn't going to honor it. He stated his name was Buck... After arguing back and forth with me and calling in a few times he stated a different price of 54 dollars. There is no way a tech should be able to make prices. Was very upset with ADT. We pay 62 dollars a month for alarm system that's a total rip-off!!!

20 years ago I had Brinks Security System installed, and over that time the rates kept creeping up with no update of system. 6 years ago I retired from being a Texas public school teacher, so I am now on a "fixed income". ADT the current owner of my 20 yr. old system was going up on rates again, so I called AGAIN to try to either get the system updated or the rates to stay the same. NO LUCK!!! ADT DOES NOT listen to long-time customers!!!

No offer was made either way, so my husband attempted to make some headway. Again, no luck. We have to keep a 20 yr. old system and pay higher rates!!! So, he called to cancel, nothing said about me being the account holder and had to have a 30 day notice!!! We went with another security system, and just got slammed with this news. Supervisor said when I signed the contract with Brinks, I agreed to give a 30 day notice. REALLY??? Who is going to remember that from 20 yrs. ago??? No one told me or my husband that the several times we had called. DO NOT USE ADT!!! THEY ARE NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY!!!

I called to cancel service after contract was over due to equipment not being able to work with my upgraded phone system (cable). I was offered an system upgrade for an additional $100 plus $13.00 more per month. I decided to cancel after that offer. I was told that the cancellation would be in effect after 30 days. I was charged for the next month ($41.99). It has been over 30 days since the cancellation and I was charged again.

I contacted customer service at ADT and I was told that this is normal and they charge for the month ahead. I checked my original contract and I was charged up front for the month. I explained to the CSR that I did not think that this is correct. I was told this is the way they do it and that this is their policy. Something is fishy and I really did not think that she was right. I told her that they are ripping customers off and the I was going to dispute the charge. All of the sudden, a credit of $50.34 appeared on my account and that I was slated to get a check in the mail. I was put on hold and then when she returned I was told that I would be credited directly to my credit card. Something is not right with their billing. BTW, an ADT supervisor contacted me a few days after I cancelled and offered an upgrade for no charge and a reduced monthly fee, but it was too late. I changed companies.

ADT

Hi Veda. Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We're happy to hear that ADT is there to give you the piece of mind everyone deserves! Have a great day! -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 2, 2017

My son has ADT and told me about it. The sales rep was wonderful and he knew his products. We talked about my needs and what the options were, and he didn't try to sell me something that I didn't want. It was a long sales process but he was patient in dealing with me. He was also present during the installation. He made sure everything was perfect. I have a camera in the garage and a regular wireless alarm set for fire, gas, and theft monitoring. Everyone else was great too. They were very cordial and efficient. They explained everything about how to use the hardware and how to program the system. ADT met my requirements and my needs and I'm very satisfied.

ADT

Hello Pat - Thank you so much for being a continued ADT customer and for taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize for the technical difficulty. If you haven't already, please call us at 1-800-238-2727 so that we may address your concerns with the system. Thank you! ~Trèchell

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

I keep having issues connecting with the ADT website, and recently my cameras go 'offline' for no apparent reason - either for viewing or alarming. Additionally, the 'network relay switch' in the dining room for timing and 'triggered' lights from the outside cameras fail routinely. So far I'm very marginally 'OK' with ADT services. ADT needs to improve hardware reliability and connectivity.

ADT

L. Powell, thank you for sharing your experience with our team. We are pleased to hear your transfer to your new home went smoothly! We are always here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. -Katie

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

It's been a year since I relocated and transferred my service to my new home. The area manager still checks with me periodically making sure everything is okay. I appreciate the care and concern provided and the assurance that any issues which arise will be promptly resolved.

ADT

Hello Yan. I'm very sorry for this experience and we'd like to help. I've located your account and do see that you currently have an appointment scheduled for service. I will be contacting the local service manager for your location to ensure that the techs effectively address your concerns. -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

Every time, when I call the ADT customer service, they don't think they need to be responsible for the call that they transfer my call between multiples departments and no one wanted to directly fix for me. I had ADT system for about one year-ish, but I scheduled about more than ten appointments to let techs come fix my system. Every time, different techs came to my house. Few techs were more responsible to fix the issues. Most of the techs were complaining about us and the internet connection. They didn't even try to fix the system, while actually, they didn't know how to fix it. The techs were not responsible and didn't care about the things that they should done for the customer. When we let them to check some things, they thought they were doing extra work compared with the previous techs. One of them even said: "What about you let him (the previous tech) come back and fix for you?"

The alarm usually went off, even we didn't set the alarm, probably at least ten times a week. No techs could fix it completely for us because when they tested it, it was okay, while after they had gone for two days, the system had troubles again. The police came to my house at least ten times in this one year. We received bills from the police department, but actually there were nothing really happened at our house while the system just showed something happened at my house. This is your job, tech. You should satisfy every requirement that I make.

I was extremely disappointed with the whole ADT system. The employees were not responsible for their job. For those who considered to use ADT, DON'T USE IT because there are more than one security companies in this world. Every employee was pushing their job to the next one. It was not worthy to stick with ADT. I think I'm going to contact other security companies for my own security.

ADT

Hello Susan! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We're happy to hear that the service is giving your family the piece of mind they deserve! -Andrew

Original review: Jan. 1, 2017

My husband who has severe PTSD was frightened that somebody would come in the house and shoot him so I suggested that we get an alarm system. We had the motion sensor and it was fine. Nobody can get in without it going off in a very shrill alarm. In fact, he has calmed down a little bit and some nights, he does not even remember to turn it on. So, it's good for him. Plus, we had a severe windstorm and I had asked the customer service rep to come to double-check the thing we had on the outside of the house. He just came out and said, "Don't worry, it's fine." And everything works fine.

ADT

Hello Jennifer- We genuinely apologize for the confusion and inconvenience resulting. We were able to locate your account and see that you initially purchased your security services through an ADT Authorized Dealer, Alarm Team INC, in October of 2015.

An ADT Authorized Dealer is an independently owned and operated company. They install and sell alarm equipment, but do not provide a monitoring service. They partner and contract with us to provide a monitoring service to their privately acquired customers and, in most instances, ADT purchases the contract from them after a pre-arranged set of time.

We apologize if the terms of your agreement were not thoroughly and verbally discussed at that time.

Your agreement stipulates many things but most importantly that you agree to receive ADT monitoring for 3 years at your current address. It states that if you are to terminate prematurely, you understand that you are still responsible for 75% of the remaining balance owed on that agreement.

Our relocation/reactivation is a benefit offered to all ADT customers. This policy stipulates that your termination balance will be waived if you remain with ADT by establishing services at your new residence. It also stipulates that if someone else moves into your previous residence and takes up services in their own name (directly through ADT), that termination fees may be waived that way too.

If you choose to relocate, based on your tenure as an ADT customer, you will receive a credit towards your new install that will discount the total cost of the new equipment. ADT is unable to transfer equipment due to the liability risks. A new agreement is necessary for a new location.

Please let us know if you have additional inquiry regarding this matter. We apologize again for the confusion. ~Trèchell

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

I have an account with ADT Security which included a 3 yr contract. The contract is now less than a year old. We had to sell our home and relocate, and ADT is forcing us to buy new equipment from them, even though there is nothing wrong with the current equipment. It is after all less than a year old. In addition to the hundreds of dollars they want to charge us for new equipment, they are also saying that we would have to get a new contract, meaning that the 3 year contract re-starts, and that we had a fee of about $200 for the move itself. Knowing that I cannot afford this, I inquired about canceling the contract, at which time they told me that the amount I would have to pay to cancel, far exceeds the cost of moving.

This practice is unethical, because none of this was discussed during the initial ordering process, neither by the telephone associates or the technician that did the installation. As a matter of fact, I found out only after the fact, that when I thought I was just signing the work order for the installation, I was actually being tricked into signing a contract. Had I been told of all this upfront, I would not have ordered the service, and would have gone with Simply Safe instead. As a single mother buying a new home, and with all the expenses involved with that, I simply cannot afford to continue an affiliation with ADT, which means that they will need to resort to reporting me to the credit bureaus, damaging my credit which I have worked very hard to building. This is unfair on every level. As a matter of fact, I contend that the method they used to get me into a contract was deceptive and therefore illegal. I am willing to pursue this issue accordingly.

ADT

Hello Mary. Thank you for your review and I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the yard signs. You can request a new yard sign and window decals via MyADT.com. If you're having trouble accessing that, please call us at 1-800-238-2727 and we'll be happy to assist with that as well. -Andrew

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

It was through the OJ Simpson case that we knew of Brinks and this was later taken over by ADT. We liked Brinks better, though, and we had an insurance that we pay for. Nonetheless, our ADT is working like it's supposed to but we don't have the contact that we used to have when we had it with Brinks. We have two of ADT's yard signs because we have two front doors, but one is broken. We could use a new one but I don't want to pay for it. I wouldn’t have to with Brinks.

ADT Company Profile