3.22/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Excellent customer service! They do what it takes to earn your business. I can respect that! The BIG plus is that this business HONORS our Veterans!! TWO THUMBS UP!! Thank you Krissy **! (Oregon City) You did a remarkable job getting things back on track! My profound appreciation is extended to Nimsi, Cryssi, Robert ** (shout out to Tyler for his service in assisting in loading my car onto the auto transporter - super!) and finally Trayvon and his staff here in Spokane. Impressive folks! U-HAUL HAS NO COMPETITION!!! Their trucks waste no space - the Mom's Attic are super helpful!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I am 20 years old and paid in advance for the truck online. Long story short, I screwed up. Well, Judy ** helped me not only get my refund but also realize that people make mistakes and that's okay! By far the best customer service experience I have ever had. I stopped stressing and was even able to laugh. Love her.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Used UHaul as my moving company years ago. There weren't a lot of companies to choose from in my area so my choices were limited. I felt like the u-haul company was very expensive they did a good job but very pricey. I think if there was more competition then the prices would have been a lot more reasonable as they are now.. There is a package for everything. They even offer boxes for a price...

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was overall happy with the U-Box experience. The price was the most reasonable. Although you must be flexible with your deadlines. The boxes came at the right date, and were picked up at the right date. And they were delivered on the right date. But they did not remove the boxes on the right date. If that is fine with you, then I would fully recommend U-Haul U-Boxes.

Original review: April 20, 2019

4/12/19 All of these bad reviews make U-Haul sound really scary to deal with. I've had dealings with them in the past that went well and my most recent experience was no exception. I called and reserved a 26' truck, a dolly and moving blankets. The day before I was due to pick it up U-Haul called me and texted me to let me know that my pick up location had changed. It was actually closer to my house! BONUS.

The truck was a 2016 model that was in great shape with only 44,000 miles on it. Jerry was pleasant, efficient and very professional. I loaded the truck in one day and drove it 560 miles from Portland to Missoula without incident. I had the truck loaded to 21,650 pounds. Right up against the 22,000 GVWR and the V-10 Triton engine did just fine over two mountain passes It cost $240 in fuel all told. Jerry had given me an extra day to unload and return the truck but I didn't need it. They changed the drop off location but went out of their way to make sure I was notified. It was no big deal and again, it was actually closer to where I was located.

The cost to rent the truck, additional equipment and insurance was $1134.00. Penske want $1500 just for the truck before they tacked on all of the little fees that they charge. U-Haul has a few fees too but they were all explained beforehand. Try hiring a moving company to move 10,000 pounds of your stuff for $1350. NO WAY.

There were no additional charges to my credit card, no mix-ups, no breakdowns and no rude people that I dealt with. It was a pleasant experience that got done what I needed to get done. I would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, I need to move another load over in a week or two and I WILL be calling U-Haul. They haven't been around this long because they don't know what they're doing. I'm sure there are a few bad apples here and there but you'll find that in any industry. Don't ever blindly trust anyone. Look out for yourself first. Trust but verify and life will be easier for you. Most of the time the only thing you hear is the bad, THIS is the good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I booked a one-way rental and a day or two later U-Haul advised that they couldn't offer the one-way rental at the price to which I had originally agreed. U-Haul then began negotiating with me and we ended up at a price approximately double the original price. When I later tried to resolve this through their customer complaints, they effectively offered nothing. I am now in the process of filing a claim through our court system.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I have used U-Haul twice this year and I must say that I haven't had any issues with them at all. Both location was willing to help and helped me in any way they could. The two locations I used was in Columbia, S.C.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Mathew **-Employee and Nikki **-Area Regional Manager are the most unprofessional people I have ever encountered. DO NOT EVER RENT A UHAUL VEHICLE FROM THIS LOCATION!!! You have been forewarned. I have been charged $192 for the van door lock latch damage that is less than 1/2 in diameter. I advised them that I DID NOT do this and was informed that they would investigate on 11/9/19. If it were not for my bank informing me of an unauthorized charge on 11/10/19, I would not have been aware! Nikki ** advised that she would contact me to let me know her decision and that there was a possibility that I would not be charged. Instead she submits a charge to my card for an unauthorized amount without informing me via call as she indicated!

I have filed a complaint with Uhaul customer service who will forward this to Chris ** the Regional Manager and I will also file a complaint with the BBB and the Attorney General, as this is unacceptable business conduct. Again, there currently exist far more visible damage that was not documented and they chose to charge me for a ding on the van door in the amount of $192. Disgusting!!!! I will never do business with Uhaul EVER again if this is not resolved!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I reserved a truck and selected a specific location when prompted. Upon arriving to the location, they said they were completely out of vehicles and didn't even have the kind of vehicle I reserved. I was instructed to call their facilitator for this. She told me the closest location that had my requested vehicle was two cities away. So I changed vehicle types for one in my city. I then went to the next location.

At the second location, they said they didn't have the vehicle type requested on the phone just MINUTES before when I was talking to the facilitator. I could upgrade (yet again) and pay the price difference. The man at the second location thought it was a little weird of a situation and got me transferred to another location in the city with a smaller vehicle so I didn't have to pay an extra $25.

Upon arriving to the third location with many vehicles, the person at the desk said they didn't know anything about the dozen UHauls in their parking lot. I walked around to several other business around that parking lot and no one knew who was in charge of the UHauls. So basically there are just UHauls stored there, apparently several hundred feet away from wherever the pickup location is supposed to be?

I just gave up. I needed a UHaul to pick up a couch. I'm just not getting the couch. I wasted too much time with UHaul's completely unintuitive and disorganized online reservation system. A message to UHaul: just because you put something online, doesn't make it easier. I really suggest that you OverHaul your online reservation system because I just wasted the time of seven of your employees and ended up not even spending a single penny on your company due to the inefficient system in place.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

1st- call for price quote. Continued calling other companies to compare prices. Budget was cheaper. Still, bc the UHaul rep said they were the most economical is gas usage, I 'googled' to see if they do price matching. Some results said yes, so I called again. 2nd call- Tammy call length 33:23. Tammy right away was doing the price match, gave me the order number and said someone would call the day before pick up. I received a confirmation email, but when I clicked on the link with the order #, the price was much more than the original Uhaul confirmation. So, 3rd call- Karen, said they stopped doing price matches a couple of months ago, but she would transfer my call to someone that could help. The call was disconnected.

4th call- Skylar, said she would speak with someone to see if I could be given a discount due to all the above. After being on hold for a while, she said 'he' could give a discount of $2340 for a 15ft truck. Really? I told her that wasn't a discount. It's the original price quoted online. I found this to be dishonest and insulting! I asked to speak to someone in a higher position. She said she could put a complaint through, and I would be contacted by Thomas **, but when? As said on their recording before a representative picks up "To keep our promises with you, this call may be recorded", they can listen to the recording of the call with Tammy (not sure of the spelling) today on November 6, 2019 at around 1pm. I will be waiting to see how/if they honor their statement.

U-Haul Company Information