2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

BOTTOM LINE

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

PROS

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

CONS

• Preferences not guaranteed

Top U-Haul Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best customer service I have received in the past thirty years if not in my entire life!

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpful. Thank you to U-Haul for coming through for me!!

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
      • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
      • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
      10-foot $1,350
      15-foot $1,400
      20-foot $1,700
      26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
      • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
      • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
      For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
      Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
      Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
      How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
      A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
      Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
      No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Excellent customer service! They do what it takes to earn your business. I can respect that! The BIG plus is that this business HONORS our Veterans!! TWO THUMBS UP!! Thank you Krissy **! (Oregon City) You did a remarkable job getting things back on track! My profound appreciation is extended to Nimsi, Cryssi, Robert ** (shout out to Tyler for his service in assisting in loading my car onto the auto transporter - super!) and finally Trayvon and his staff here in Spokane. Impressive folks! U-HAUL HAS NO COMPETITION!!! Their trucks waste no space - the Mom's Attic are super helpful!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I am 20 years old and paid in advance for the truck online. Long story short, I screwed up. Well, Judy ** helped me not only get my refund but also realize that people make mistakes and that's okay! By far the best customer service experience I have ever had. I stopped stressing and was even able to laugh. Love her.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

The flexibility in dates and ability to do much of the move yourself makes it a really nice choice if you’re not sure about final destination / timeline for the move. But, there are some challenges dealing with their system so it takes a bit of phone calls to make sure everything is booked and billed correctly.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Used UHaul as my moving company years ago. There weren't a lot of companies to choose from in my area so my choices were limited. I felt like the u-haul company was very expensive they did a good job but very pricey. I think if there was more competition then the prices would have been a lot more reasonable as they are now.. There is a package for everything. They even offer boxes for a price...

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Workers at 17467 Manchester, Ballwin give you 10+ out of 1010. ** and his crew go above and beyond in service to be sure that things are done right and safety is paramount. I have rented here several times and never a bad experience. Complete with a drink whatever for you to start your trip.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

From Start to Finish Horrible experience. 5251 N. Keystone Indianapolis In.

1. Dirty Truck
        2. Horrible Customer Service

3. Over Charging for mileage. (ALWAYS TAKE PICTURE OF MILES BEFORE AND AFTER.)

I ordered the 10 inch truck on friday for the following day. I received a call from a very nice lady, who advised me that the 10 inch truck was not available. I asked if the 10inch truck was available that Friday evening she checked and came back and said yes. I would have to be there by 7pm. I said no problem.

When I arrived to pick the truck up around 6:45pm, the clerk advised it should be returned by 9pm. I advised the lady. Said 10 am. Another man turn looked at me and in a very rude manner stated the truck had to be back by 9 no. Instead he said, "8:45 because we have to clean the truck for a customer." I advised no problem. They gave me the keys to the truck (which was dirty when I got it).

I dropped the truck off around 10:30 pm and went back the more around 7am to drop the key off (as it was dark and I could not locate drop box). I went back to the location when they open to get receipt. the same rude man advised he could not find the key, am I sure I put it in the box, he know he did not take that key out the box. I asked him why would I lie about dropping a key in the box. He stated he is sure he did not take the key out that box and he did not have time to deal with this now. He had other customers to assist (like I was not a customer), he would call me when he finish. Well when he called me he informed me that I took the wrong truck.

Keep in mind I took the truck that they showed me and gave me the key to. (He never apologized for their mistake.) At this point he tells me that I went 30 miles, I advised I did not go 30 miles and I took a picture of the mileage before and after. The pictures I took showed I only went 17 miles. After I advised him what the mileage was he charged me for the 3rd time. I now have 3 charges on my account over $100. I called the bank only find that the charges have not been reversed. I called U-Haul again only to be given a reference number and approval number for the wrong receipt. I will NEVER use this UHAUL location again!!!!

Original review: July 31, 2020

Got a flat tire at a gas station in Montana around 8:00pm. Waited on hold for nearly 2 hours before anyone responded and submitted a request online. Finally got the tire fixed around 12:30 am. Very miserable experience.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I made a reservation for a 15' truck at the beginning of the week. I needed to move out on the last day of the month because another tenant is coming in after me. This is how moving works (you'd think U-haul, a company that rents moving trucks, would understand this). I get a call tonight at 4:18 pm (when I was supposed to pick up a truck at 9:30 am tomorrow) saying they don't have a truck at my "preferred" location. Preferred? How about the location I reserved? The only option was to drive 2 HOURS AWAY to pick up a SMALLER truck at NO DISCOUNT.

Um, excuse me? You mean, it's gonna take me a 4-hour round trip just to get the truck? In other words, half the day I had planned to be moving (and enlisted the help of friends, who also have lives and schedules of their own). The woman kept offering me a rental "at my preferred location" for the following day, which would have been too late. Again, do you not understand how moving and lease agreements work? She showed no empathy and acted like this way of doing business is totally normal--like there is nothing shady about U-haul just waiting to see what trucks arrive the evening before your rental and gambling with your plans.

Her manager was only slightly better and at least apologized. But he acted irritated and "business as usual" too. He said they were going to have to call 125 other people and break the same news to them. Are you kidding me? What a slimy, broken business model. Thankfully a kind friend offered their pickup truck so I was able to cancel my order. Never again will I patron U-Haul.

Original review: July 31, 2020

Do not rent from U-Haul!!! They do not "guarantee" a pick-up location. It's only a "preferred" location. I rented and was to pick-up at a "preferred" location and less than 2 hours before I was to pick-up the truck, they changed it to a completely different city. When I called and ask what was going on they said they have the right to change the pick-up location. What we put down is only a "preferred" location and they don't have to honor that. Sorry I was planning on picking it up from one location and then was upset because they changed to a different city. And not only did they change the location, they changed the time I was to pick it up as well. WTF!! Apparently they don't honor anything you put down on-line. I seriously hope they go bankrupt. Do not give them your business!!!!

Original review: July 29, 2020

2015 - We rented a box truck to relocate cities after my husband got out of the military. The truck we received had a broken fuel gauge. We filled the tank, dropped it off with the gas receipt and were still charged b/c the fuel tank registered low.

2018 - We rented a box truck to move from our rental to the house we purchased. We showed up to pick up the truck and the store wasn't open. After waiting in the parking lot for an hour, an employee showed up and proceeded to tell all of the customers that the person who was supposed to open didn't show up. He used vulgar language and was completely unprofessional all around. They didn't have the truck we reserved, so we were forced to rent a smaller truck.

2020 - We rented a box truck to pick up a piece of furniture. We made a reservation and arrived to pick up the truck. We were told they had no record of our reservation, so we were forced to do go through the process all over again. New truck, none of the extra materials we ordered with our reservation. Then U-Haul double charged us - once for the reservation truck and once for the new truck the store made us get. We've been trying to speak with the customer service billing department all day and after going through the menu options, it says, "I'm sorry, try back later."

If I could give negative stars, I would. How is U-Haul still in business when this is how they operate? It's ludicrous that I've required their services 3 times in 5 years, and have had issues all 3 times. In the event we ever need a box truck in the future, we'll use anybody other than U-Haul. Everything from the trucks themselves, to the store fronts and people that work them, to their customer service, is not just lacking. It's non-existent.

U-Haul Company Information