Find a Movers partner

4.0/5 (1870 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Top U-Haul Reviews

Verified

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best cu...

Verified

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpfu...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
    • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
    • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
    10-foot $1,350
    15-foot $1,400
    20-foot $1,700
    26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
    • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
    • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
    For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
    Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
    Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
    How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
    A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
    Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
    No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: April 17, 2021

It was easy to rent a moving van from this moving company. My aunt and I put a down payment down for it but it wasn't that much. All I had to do was refill the truck back up with the same gas amount that was in it when she purchased it for me. All you need is license and no negative history with the company. If you have an accident you will be charged and refundable deposit will be kept.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Moved from Chicago to Florida. They were very professional, packed what I wanted them to, tv’s, lamps, etc. Took apart Furniture and reassembled at new home. The best part was they stored it while waiting for the closing.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2021

In these days & times, during Covid-19, with a lot of people out of work, & less money to work with, it helps when you can get things like moving accomplished, but with half the cost. Now you still have to be wise in your choice of companies that you choose to work with in the end, but you will save a lot of money by packing yourself, renting your own truck, & doing the driving yourself. The only thing you will need the 2-3 guys for, would be to meet you at your old place & load everything onto your truck, then follow you to your new place, & unload everything off of your truck. After the job is done, you will give them the payment code that they turn in to Moving Helpers, to be paid for the completed job; that's it.

I have used them successfully several times, in & out of state. My sons use them when they were in college, & job transferring. We have never had a problem, & we saved a lot of money by packing & securing the truck & driving ourselves. You will have several companies, within your area to choose from. Everything is done online. Tipping is left up to the customer. I always did, because I felt like they earned it.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Because U-haul is a franchise/licensed company, it is hit or miss whether you will get good service. Trying to schedule through the online site is completely useless because it will make a reservation, then when you call to make your pickup at the site assigned, they have no idea what you are talking about. It is a horribly run system.

Original review: April 29, 2021

U-Haul forced us to drive 120 miles to pick up truck. The day before our 5 day drive from OR to MN, U-Haul called and said the truck we had rented would only be available at a location 120 miles further than the location on our reservation. That was 4 hours of additional driving and gas for my wife and I the day before out trip. Customer Service foul up. When customer service was telling us we had to drive 120 miles out of our way to get the moving truck, they said they would set up an extra day and mileage on our contract. When we got to the new U-Haul location, they had no record of that information. Almost impossible to reach Customer Service. U-Haul customers should be prepared to wait on the phone for 20+ minutes to reach a customer service representative. Overcharged. We I got my credit card bill, U-Haul had overcharged my $215.88.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Reserved a car Hauler for Vancouver to Victoria, straps were tangled knotted and unusable, had to ask twice and wait for repairs. Only needed a one day rental, their system said it had to be 2 days. I returned trailer within 24 hours, still charged 2 days, no one in customer service could fix or resolve this. Very dissatisfied. Cash grab. Should be based on actual usage.

Original review: April 25, 2021

The short version: Don’t rent from U-Haul. They’ll do everything wrong and then blame you. The long version: I moved my household goods from AZ to CA this week. Monday, I went to my designated pick up point, SSC Auto Repair, on the day I had reserved a truck to begin my move. I was quickly informed that there was no truck available for me there despite having made my reservation weeks prior. The desk attendant called Uhaul and was informed that my pickup location had been moved and that Uhaul had called me to tell me I had a new pick up location. I stated that I had not received any such call. Upon further investigation into my phone records I saw that I had a call from an unknown number that when googled was indeed Uhaul but they left no message. (Strike one for Uhaul.) The attendant was able to locate my new pickup point and give me the address.

I now headed to Tom’s Family Car Wash in Gilbert. Upon arriving there I was met by a distressed employee who informed me that their system was down and so her manger was requiring her to do all equipment check ins and check outs on her personal smart phone. She was the only employee at the desk and was responsible for managing the Uhaul orders as well as help all other customers who came to the desk for their car wash payments. This employee was clearly stressed and in need of assistance. She had not been given sufficient training on how to complete Uhaul orders and was unfamiliar with the functions of her phone. She called three times for her manager, Allison, to come help her. Allison would come and give limited assistance then leave again instead of staying to walk her employee through each of the steps she needed to take or at the very least be on standby to help other customers who came to the line.

The employee did her best to complete my order informing me that my truck was to be returned to my designated drop off point with an 1/8th tank of gas. After a few more minutes on her phone she triumphantly exclaimed that she had finally gotten through the process and could give me the keys to the truck. (It took almost an hour for her to reach this point.) I was not given anything to sign. No written contract with guidelines for usage or a fee schedule. Only verbal communication of the expected 1/8 tank at return and the keys.

I took the keys and found my truck in their parking area. When I opened the door to the cab I was greeted with empty water bottles and dirty, discarded face masks all over the seats. The windows were filthy and covered with bug guts from its previous usage. (Strike two for Uhaul for renting equipment that is filthy which at the very least is taboo in the climate of a global pandemic and more than a little unprofessional.) Given the arduousness of the check out process I also checked my bank account to see what charges were applied to my credit card. I discovered that I had been charged the rental fee three times in total, amounting to more than $700. (Strike three.)

I called Uhaul and waited on hold for about an hour before reaching a customer service agent. I explained that I had been charged my rental fee three times and would like two of those charges removed. The customer service agent claimed they had already taken care of it. (Great!...Right? Just wait.) After emptying the truck in CA the next day (Tuesday) I drove to my designated drop off point. The store was closed but had an after hours drop of with instructions to login to my Uhaul account and follow their online steps for completing the drop off. I logged in and found out my rental reservation had been deleted and I was not able follow any online prompts for returning the truck. (Strike four. Aren’t you only supposed to get three?)

Again I was on the phone with Uhaul. Once I finally reached a human I explained my situation and that I was trying to return my truck. He told me that, that wasn’t true because his system didn’t have record of it. Yet, somehow, I was sitting here with a truck. (Customer service at its finest ladies and gents and if you’re still keeping score that’s strike five) Our call got cut off before any headway was made and I called again. Now I’m speaking with someone new. I recount my saga to her and she says “Uh...I don’t know how to help you.” (Strike six! I’m under the impression that Uhaul should consider some revisions to their training modules.)

She puts me on hold to try and “figure something out”. When she returns she connects me to someone in the CA transportation division. He tells me that the woman who “rented” me the truck, never actually “rented” me the truck so there was no record that I had picked up the truck and my reservation was canceled. (But she somehow was still able to charge my credit card three times. Interesting. Oh and strike seven.) The gentleman from transportation instructed me to take the truck to a hub location two miles away and leave the truck in the parking lot and the keys in the overnight box. He would call the hub in the morning and wave any additional fees. So, I drive the truck to this new location (which was over 5 miles away but I think we’ve already established that details are not Uhaul’s strong point) and I leave the truck as instructed. (Surely this game is over. Right? Think again. This was only the seventh inning stretch.)

The next morning, Wednesday, I wake and check my credit card account. Not only are the three original charges still listed but I now have two new charges for $188 and $29. Also, in my inbox are contracts for a truck rental I’ve already returned, and a receipt for the $188 which indicates it is my equipment rental fee. I have no explanation for why I was charged $29 nor why I’m being charged another rental fee for equipment I’ve already returned so, to the phone I go. (We are up to strike 8.)

After some time on hold someone answers and I immediately asked to be connected to a manager. A few minutes later I’m speaking with Faith who tells me she is a customer service manager. I go into what is now my fifth or sixth retelling of my tale because apparently you aren’t ever allowed to speak with the same person twice when you call Uhaul. Faith isn’t able to tell me what my charges are for because she works for the customer service department so I wait on hold while she contacts the finance division.

15 min later Faith comes back and tells me that the finance department can’t do anything about the three original charges but that she’ll give me some authorization codes so I can call the number on the back of my credit card and perhaps reverse them that way. (Why I now have to put in the work to undo the mistakes that Uhaul made I don’t know...but I digress. Strike nine.) Faith further explains that the other two charges are the $188 rental fee and a $29 fee for returning the truck to a different location than originally assigned. Our connection is getting choppy so she wasn’t able to hear my inquiry as to why I was being charged when I was directed to change the drop of location and assured that any new fees would be waved. We lost our connection shortly after.

I called back again and was connected to someone brand new. I asked to speak with Faith but this new person didn’t know a Faith and didn’t know where in the country Faith was located so didn’t know how to contact her. (That’s right strike ten. Apparently we are aiming for MULTIPLES of three in this baseball game.) The woman I was talking to now read Faith’s notes on my file and eventually found her on Uhaul’s instant messaging system. I asked her to please ask Faith for her direct number so I could finish our conversation. Her response was that Faith didn’t have a direct number and that Faith would reach out to me directly instead. So I waited.

I never did get a call back from Faith (strike eleven) but I did get an email a few hours later from David **; Area Field Manager. He said he had reviewed my file and saw that I was charged a total of $217; $188 for the rental and $29 for fuel because I had brought the truck back on an 1/8 of a tank instead of a 1/4 of a tank like my contact had stipulated. (In case we need a review I wasn’t given a contract until the day AFTER I had returned the truck and this explanation for the fee was different than the one Faith gave me before.)

I returned Mr. **’s email explaining that I had not been given a contract until after I had returned the rental and that the only fuel information I had been given beforehand was to return the truck on an 1/8 of a tank and therefore the $29 was unauthorized and unprofessional. I requested that he please remove the $29 charge from my account as it was Uhaul’s negligence that resulted in a return on an 1/8 of a tank, not mine. Mr. ** curtly responded that the $188 rental fee was granted with a $27 discount contingent on the return of the rental with a 1/4 tank. (He had highlighted this stipulation in my contact for emphasis but once again (louder for the people in the back) I didn’t receive a contract until THE DAY AFTER I RETURNED THE TRUCK!)

His counter offer to my request was to remove the $29 fee from my account but rescind the $27 discount as well leaving me to pay the original rental fee of $215. (Apparently a $2 discount was sufficient compensation for the mountain of unprofessionalism Uhaul had displayed. Strike twelve.) I responded again to Mr. ** that his solution was unsatisfactory because I was essentially still being penalized for non-compliance to a contract I didn’t receive until AFTER the fact. I asked him to review my file again and come back with a more appropriate solution. I never got another response from Mr. ** and my bank statements indicate that he never did as he proposed nor as I requested so I’m stuck with the $188 rental fee and $29 fuel fee and more than a sour taste in my mouth from the unprofessionalism of this entire company. (I think we can count that as strikes 13-15.)

(Side note: the original three rental fees did eventually disappear which is a minor miracle because when I called the number on the back of my card they said they couldn’t do anything to reverse the charges and didn’t have any idea of what to do with authorization codes Faith had given me.) So 15 strikes later and this baseball game from hell is apparently played out. Uhaul’s customer service is disappointing at best and their area field manager seems to think that the best course of action when presented with a logical proposal for resolution is to ignore it. Clearly an apology and company accountability is beyond Uhaul’s capabilities.??? “So it’s one, two...fifteen strikes, you’re out!... Just kidding. Let’s blame the customer team...at the Uhaul ball game!”??

Original review: April 16, 2021

UHaul was a nightmare from the beginning to end. It first three months just to get a schedule date of calling in once a week once or twice a month or more for two or three months before we actually got a date confirmed to have a truck available for our move. The truck they gave us didn’t have air conditioning and we were moving to a hot state and this was in the middle of summer so needless to say we were very very uncomfortable in this truck with no air-conditioning. We had issues after we got our load to our new residence with UHAUL wanting to charge more than the original agreed-upon price. The people that we hired to pack us and unpack us were not qualified to do the job. When we dropped off the truck that should’ve been taken out of commission they want to try and charge us for dents and dings and all kinds of problems with the truck that was given to us in bad condition. I will never use UHAUL again!

Original review: April 6, 2021

This is a review of my experience with Uhaul. I would like to say that when I went to pick up my uhaul I was never notified that it was sent to another location so that caused a 35 minute delay and the guy at the convenience store apologized several times and not to mention I was on hold for 20 minutes just to get through to your customer service number to reach someone.

Secondly, when I picked up the uhaul finally it only had a half of tank of gas in it, not 3/4 like I was told, so I called the Martinsville location and spoke to the lady there about it so I wouldn't be charged 4.00 a gallon when I dropped it off and she didn't seem to care, I was told through your customer service that I would recall 70.00 credit off with my 100.00 deposit back and I'm showing here that the 100.00 has been sent to my card but not the 70.00.

Thirdly, when I dropped off the uhaul the guy there reran my debit card to get payment for something I had already paid for, luckily that didn't come out, then he said I didn't put the gas to 3/4 take which I kindly informed him about it, so really this experience was a very bad one and I will not recommend or use uhaul again. Bad customer service, no 70.00 credit as promised which that does need to be honored. Changing locations without notifying customers is unacceptable, overall very poor service.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I went through the online process to rent a small enclosed trailer from U-Haul. After selecting the trailer I needed and picking the location. It told confirmed. It was available. I then had to carefully click through about 5 pages in a row where they tried to upsell me on various items. In fact, they were so clever in doing so I almost purchased supplies that I did not need or want. I made the reservation and was told that an agent would call me in 24hrs to confirm. I received a call and a customer service rep rudely told me that the trailer I wanted wasn't available anywhere nearby. I was then told the only option was a larger trailer (higher cost) and that I would have to drive an additional 10mi each way to get the trailer.

I asked if they would reduce the price to what was quoted and I was told rudely that I didn't read the small print and that there was no 100% guarantee given. It isn't their fault I didn't read the details and it isn't their fault that I need to drive 10mi further each way to get a trailer that was much bigger than I needed. I gave them 5 days notice prior to the day I needed the trailer. When I started to ask about the misleading quoting process and that I felt it was extortion that I was being told to pay more after confirming with my credit card, the service rep said that I clearly was upset and she would not be willing to help me as a result.

So in summary. I confirmed a specific size, date & location to pick up, reserved with my credit card... and then 24hrs later was told I "needed to pay more" and drive further, opposite direction to pick up and drop off and had to get a larger trailer. No compromise was offered. Nothing but rude condescending comments about my inability to read and their lack of concern. Then told I was being rude and basically not worthy of their service. The kicker... what other options do you have? They can treat however because they know there is no competition in our general area.

Quick and easy

Get matched with a Moving partner

U-Haul Company Information