3.9/5 (559 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Top U-Haul Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best cu...

Verified

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpfu...

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
    • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
    • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
    10-foot $1,350
    15-foot $1,400
    20-foot $1,700
    26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
    • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
    • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
    For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
    Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
    Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
    How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
    A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
    Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
    No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Cool Springs in Brentwood TN apparently neglected to check my truck before renting it to me. It pulled to the left and I had to tug on the steering wheel for 800 miles. Very unpleasant. Plus the cabin was dirty, so it made me wonder what else was overlooked. Like the oil, for example? When I tried to report it via their website, the live chat person said he’d report it to the location. I told him the location of origin was the problem. It seems there’s no mechanism for reporting equipment issues to this company.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I am currently in the middle of my move. The delivery of the boxes went as scheduled. The company offered to pickup early as they had openings, we settled on the 30th of September vice Oct 1. Truck had mechanical issues and pick up was completed on Oct 5, my concern was on the delivery end and I was assured that was not a factor and boxes would be in Shreveport, LA on the 12th and Longview, TX by the 14th. They have been pushing out my dates. Today is the 14th and boxes are still in Lexington, KY. I could have used PODS, but opted for U-Haul to save a few dollars. I am disappointed with myself for that decision to save a few hundred dollars. I can only hope that this ends well, if you have other options in your area, I suggest you look outside the box, U-box especially.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I requested a truck for a move. I was informed that they would contact me 24 to 48 hours before the requested date to tell me IF I had that or any truck, and I might need to retrieve the truck from another city. The example they used was about 5.5 hours away one way. I chose another company as plans needed to be made and dates were already confirmed. Returning the unused boxes require a receipt. Even though Uhaul is all over the boxes. In my opinion, I am baffled as to how they stay in business with those practices. And never again will I darken their doorway.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Terrible customer service and rude, and terrible invoice and payment service. My items are damaged, broken and wet during shipping and using the storage room. Mischarged payment was not refunded and my credit card company disputed to them.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I had booked AJJ Movers on the U-Haul site. Now U-Haul is great. I rented a moving truck from them today, no problem. Those dirtbag movers from AJJ Never Showed Up at the scheduled time I booked them. Oh it gets better, their phone number was disconnected. No legit email either. They had no problem taking my money for no service.

I had to move this morning after trying several ways to get hold of them, my son who had to wait for 50 minutes on the U-Haul mover line, finally got someone. I wish I got his name, he was wonderful. He was able to find us another moving company (I will write a good review for them next). It's Labor Day weekend, not an easy task. He was able to credit my money toward the new company. Moving is stressful enough but to wait 2 hours for 2 moving men to never show, no phone call. No emails. Nothing. It's like they took my money and ran. So take my advice please DO NOT. I REPEAT. DO NOT USE AJJ MOVING MEN THROUGH U-HAUL. They will take your money and run or better yet take your money and NOT MOVE YOU. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

First off; used the online booking service with the "pay now" option. Booked a 15' truck to empty out our storage unit to transfer from origin to our home town 8.5 hours North. U-haul advertises a booking guarantee, and guarantees a vehicle at the time and place you originally request. I figured I was covered, so I booked 7 days in advance of my need and scheduled my help accordingly. Second; When we were driving down to the storage unit 850 kms away, we received a call from U-haul dispatch less than 24 hours before our scheduled pick up time claiming that the only vehicle available for us was another 1.5 hour drive from our original pick up point and 4 hours later than we had originally scheduled everyone and everything for.

When we called them back, they outright REFUSED to help us at all. I tried calling 3 different numbers and resulted in 6 calls totalling over 2 hours of my time with hold waits. Same result. We were basically told "Tough nuts. It is the last truck we have available anywhere in the area (which we later discovered driving to and from the vehicle pick up, was complete ** as we passed other dealers with SEVERAL trucks in their lots)." They even have refused to honour their OWN guarantees.

Third; when we picked up the truck, we took photos as it was clearly not being maintained as the front driver tire was bald and the rear tires were so worn they had passed the wear bars. This vehicle was essentially unroadworthy, and even possibly illegal. I had no choice but to accept it as I was over a barrel. Called U-haul again. Same result "Tough nuts!" I have now driven an additional 140 kms, off my km limit with them with no concessions offered by them to correct the issue. I am beyond angry with these **, and will be filing charge disputes with my Credit Card Company. Totally disgusted with this company and will NEVER USE THEM AGAIN!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I went to verify my information with U-Haul the night before a rental -- and when I called to complain, they told me to call the scheduling department after my scheduled pickup. What a joke. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Rented a trailer and they didn't fulfill their obligation. Had to drive to another location to pick up. Advised they would refund $50.00 as per their policy. Have been trying to get refund for 2 months. They posted the refund on our Visa and then took it back. Would not use U-haul again or recommend using them. They are not reliable and the Managers are not helpful either.

Original review: July 28, 2022

We organized a Uhaul truck one month in advance of our move across the state. They called me at 7:40 am the morning we were to pick up the truck and said they did not have a truck for us until the following afternoon - and a 1.5 hour drive away from our house and the original pick-up location. NO GUARANTEES with this company. Five people had arranged time off and schedules to help us with this move. U-Haul offered me no financial benefit for the delay, and no other options of trucks to rent. We had less than 12 hours to come up with an alternative. It was a total nightmare.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I rented U haul pods through U haul to have them packed, shipped and then delivered to my new address from Chicago to Des Moines. From start to finish this whole process was nothing short of a massive headache on top of an already stressful move. First they gave us a date on when the U haul shipment would arrive, then changed the date and said it would be later, then changed it back again to the same date and then leading up to the day of they told me "they weren't sure if it would be delivered in time". Lo and behold it finally arrives (late at night mind you) the day it is supposed to be delivered without any heads up or anything from U haul.

Then after all the U haul pods are picked up, 2 weeks later, I received two additional charges on my credit card for $140 with absolutely no explanation as to why and I am left on hold with them for over 45 minutes with no one answering my call. I was told the final charges for the U haul would be the day of the pick up for the pods. U haul is absolutely disorganized and does not take the customer's feelings into consideration. They are completely driven by profit and could care less whether your items arrive to your new living space. I couldn't imagine trying to move with them across the country if moving 5 hours west was this much of a headache. I will never be renting from them again and STRONGLY encourage anyone reading this to look elsewhere.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

U-Haul Company Information

www.uhaul.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: