2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

BOTTOM LINE

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

PROS

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

CONS

• Preferences not guaranteed

Top U-Haul Reviews We Found

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best customer service I have received in the past thirty years if not in my entire life!

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpful. Thank you to U-Haul for coming through for me!!

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
      • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
      • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
      10-foot $1,350
      15-foot $1,400
      20-foot $1,700
      26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
      • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
      • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
      For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
      Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
      Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
      How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
      A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
      Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
      No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Excellent customer service! They do what it takes to earn your business. I can respect that! The BIG plus is that this business HONORS our Veterans!! TWO THUMBS UP!! Thank you Krissy **! (Oregon City) You did a remarkable job getting things back on track! My profound appreciation is extended to Nimsi, Cryssi, Robert ** (shout out to Tyler for his service in assisting in loading my car onto the auto transporter - super!) and finally Trayvon and his staff here in Spokane. Impressive folks! U-HAUL HAS NO COMPETITION!!! Their trucks waste no space - the Mom's Attic are super helpful!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I am 20 years old and paid in advance for the truck online. Long story short, I screwed up. Well, Judy ** helped me not only get my refund but also realize that people make mistakes and that's okay! By far the best customer service experience I have ever had. I stopped stressing and was even able to laugh. Love her.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

The flexibility in dates and ability to do much of the move yourself makes it a really nice choice if you’re not sure about final destination / timeline for the move. But, there are some challenges dealing with their system so it takes a bit of phone calls to make sure everything is booked and billed correctly.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Used UHaul as my moving company years ago. There weren't a lot of companies to choose from in my area so my choices were limited. I felt like the u-haul company was very expensive they did a good job but very pricey. I think if there was more competition then the prices would have been a lot more reasonable as they are now.. There is a package for everything. They even offer boxes for a price...

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was overall happy with the U-Box experience. The price was the most reasonable. Although you must be flexible with your deadlines. The boxes came at the right date, and were picked up at the right date. And they were delivered on the right date. But they did not remove the boxes on the right date. If that is fine with you, then I would fully recommend U-Haul U-Boxes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: May 24, 2020

It doesn't matter whom you speak to; you will get a different answer, including cost. I rented two boxes, and only one arrived at the correct destination in twelve days. However, they were unable to find the other box. Eventually, it was found still sitting in the original city that it was loaded in, and it arrived close to three weeks later. When I called the General Manager in Georgia, she said my 'compensation' for their error was that I would not be charged anything additional for the box to be sent to the correct location. In other words, Uhaul wouldn't charge me for their screw up. I questioned her about some of the charges and let her know that I had verified the fees with three different people. She stated that she dealt with this all the time and that it is an ongoing problem.

Pretty much nobody knows what they're doing. When I got the second box, all the totes were upside down or on their side with the contents everywhere. The first box's door was bent to the point that I could not get the lock off, and after finally getting the lock off, to close again, I had to use a hammer. If you are looking for a cheap way to move and Uhaul sounds less expensive than hiring movers, DON'T DO IT! You will regret it, and in the end, it will not be cheaper!

Original review: May 15, 2020

I have used UHaul before with no real problems, but this time reserving 3 weeks in advance to be safe. Got a call 24 hours before picking up that no truck would available and needed to travel 75 miles further to pick one up. What's the point of making reservations if not to have equipment reserved? Had made plans and appointments scheduled based on original reserved date, but now needed to change or cancel due to this inconvenience.

Meeting with realtors, who's schedule I was on for a move-in, to Medical appointments, which were even more difficult to reschedule due to their traveling to different offices weekly, and had to cancel physical therapy due to the delays interfering with their schedule. Called corporate office and representative Very cordial and directed me to scheduling. Same story, "maybe in a few days". No help there reserving, first come first served, and additional travel beyond the 30 miles involved. They have us as a captive audience when in living in a rural area.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I rented a U-Haul truck on April 28, 2020 from Lake Charles Louisiana and paid $641.35 for my truck $51.05 for moving equipment and $325.00 for moving help. When I arrived at U-Haul in Lake Charles Louisiana and started the mobile pickup I was informed of a $100.00 deposit due to me paying with a debit card. On May 1, 2020 I returned the U-Haul truck to my designated drop off location, followed the instructions in the mobile app and called the U-Haul customer care line to assure the drop off information was submitted correctly. The lady that I spoke with assured me that everything was good. I asked the agent about my $100 deposit because I only received a refund of $65.00 and she told me that was my refund minus the extra day and insurance on truck. I then asked her about the $5.95 handlers fee from the movers and was told about making a review before I would receive that refunded to my account.

Today at 4:47pm my card was charged $89.40! I call customer care center and spoke with an agent that had no clue about my $100 deposit and tells me that the extra 89.40 was for my late return! I asked to speak to her supervisor (Samantha) which also could not explain to me about where my money went and why or how my deposit went missing through the mobile app, why I was over charged at the time of pickup and that’s why I received the $65.00 and why I was told on May 1, 2020 that the extra day was taken out of my deposit and the $65.00 is what I had left. I was also told the $89.40 was taken because that was my extra day with the truck and she reopened my reservation for her higher up team to look at.

I don’t know if this is an issue with the mobile app or the U-Haul employees don’t knowing what they are doing. Why am I missing my $100 deposit and another $89.40 has been taking from my account? I have used U-Haul over 6 times in the past 10 years and have never encountered these issues until I used this mobile app but after dealing with my money missing, nobody can explain where my money went and the company is still taking money from me, I will never waste my time with this company again! U-Haul has stolen from me and my family! I am a very disappointed customer and out of $189.40 with horrible customer service and lies from my agent on May 1, 2020 nobody has yet to help me!

Original review: April 9, 2020

U-Haul rep were awful. No one knows where my box is or the correct contract number. Customer and managers have terrible attitude and refuse to respond to their mistakes. This company is terrible and I will sue them if I do not get my stuff back.

Original review: April 2, 2020

Rented a 15 ft truck in Lee’s Summit Missouri to move furniture to Naples Florida approximately 1500 mile trip, truck was so noisy. We had a difficult time communicating in the cab. When we got to hot temperatures in Florida I turned on the air conditioning and it only blew hot air. We called the company and reported it, thus we had to drive 7 hours sweating in the truck with the windows down. I then reported it to the U-Haul drop off point. It has now been 6 weeks and have not received any contact from the company, thus we will never use the U-Haul company again. I am considering disputing the 1600.00 charge on my credit card. So beware if you are renting a vehicle!

U-Haul Company Information