1.23/5
Based on 144 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

Last updated: April 20, 2018

815 U-Haul Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 20, 2018

I rented a trailer so that I could move boxes to my new home. I received a confirmation email, had my credit card on reserve - the whole thing confirmed. When we went to pick up the trailer at the Kasold location in Lawrence, KS, we got a female employee who could not even log into the computer system. She stated she wanted a phone confirmation from someone we knew. What? We have rented three trucks and two trailers in the last 6 months. Now they want a confirmation from someone in my phone contacts. What good would that do? She said she wanted to make sure we brought the trailer back.

So now I am insulted. Why would I steal a trailer and what good would it do U-Haul to ask someone in my phone contacts about me? I walked out and called the district office. They had no idea why this woman would ask such a thing. Nice - I am ready to move and no trailer. This company is a joke. Don't use them. Their reliability and customer service is terrible.

Original review: April 18, 2018

To all who might want to read my past week experience with U-Haul. I make a reservation with U-Haul and discuss the details and I'm given an amount for a one way move from California to Phoenix, Arizona, in a 15ft. truck of $594, plus insurance $42, additional fees of $12, $10 and $10, which equals $668 total. This is agreed and my pick up is in Moreno Valley on Sunnymead Blvd on April 8th, 2018. I also get the rental truck for 3 days that until April 11th, 2018. I travel to Moreno Valley from Arizona to pick up the truck on the April 8th in Moreno Valley, Sunnymead location and I'm told it's no longer there and the pick up has moved to another location in Moreno Valley, someone should have called me, which I said didn't receive a call or email of this change. So I get to the new pick up point and now told the new total is $711, which no includes taxes and pick up fees.

We get to our destination in Phoenix, Arizona and find out the new place won't be ready for move-in until possibly the following week. Now what do we do with rental truck? So we now jump to April 10th, 2018, and decide to get a storage unit for the appliances and we unload a 3rd of the stuff in the U-Haul. I then call U-Haul to discuss our situation about needing the rental truck longer and how much extra would it cost. I speak to a gentleman from customer service and explain the details and if there is any U-Haul might be able to help us out? He looks over my account and says, "It might be possible for you to get a in state local rate for $29.95, per day" but I would need to take the rental truck into the drop off address (2701 W. Dunlap Ave., Phoenix, Az. 85051) and confirm with whomever is working there this day before they close.

The customer service representative says he will put notes in the system so that our discussion will be there for the worker to read at the my drop of location and anybody who might need to refer to our conversation. I say thank you for his help and that I'll head over there immediately. I arrive at the drop off U-Haul destination and speak to the general manager of the store. He at first says there's no way I can keep the rental truck the extra days because he doesn't allow me to finish my explaining that it's a one-way rental.

Once he hears that it's a one-way rental he then says, "Ohhh in that case yes you can keep the rental" for however many days I may need it. So I ask him what the charge would be per day and he says $42 plus insurance per day. I said, "I spoke with your customer service member and he said you might be able to help me out with a in state rate because I brought in the rental truck as a temporary turn in". He then reads the notes and says. "ok let see what can be done". He prints out a part of my contract and says the in state rate plus insurance would be $29.95, plus $12 for insurance, total $42, per day. I said thank you and go talk it over with my family member who has witnessed this conversation that general manager of the store has agreed that it would be $42, per day extra.

April 11th, 2018, the new place calls and says we can move in our new stuff on Friday, April 13th, 2018, which is great news. The next day I call U-Haul and explain I'll only be needing the rental truck until the 13th, no later than 11 pm. The customer representative confirms with me that it'll be two day extra charge at $42, per day plus extra if the gas is low. I said I'm calling to make sure that this is the correct amount per day and what I will owe on Friday, April 13th? She (customer service representative) says yes that is the correct amount owed and I have put the notes into the system. I say, "Thank you for your help" and hang up.

I return the rental truck on Friday, April 13th at 7:55 pm with a little over a quarter full of gas which is how it was given to me. I see the general manager working after hours and he says to me "just leave the keys in the truck". He'll process it. I say back to, "Ok sounds good" and I take off and my journey is finally over, not so. The next day Saturday, April 14th, I check my checking account balance. I see that U-Haul charged me $177 and not the $84 that was agreed upon. I immediately call U-Haul and speak to a lady from the after hours customer service line and she says that I was charged an extra day because I did not return the rental truck at 10:30 am.

I was also charge $42 plus insurance and out of state fees, lastly $6 for gas. I said that's completely wrong and go on to explain what I had confirmed with two people from U-Haul and the general manager of the drop off site. She then says, "You need to speak with customer service" and before I can say anything she transfers me. Now I'm put on hold for around 20 minutes before speaking to someone else from customer service. A gentleman takes my call from customer service and I go on to explain the whole ordeal in detail as to what was agreed upon and how I'm really upset with U-Haul and its business process with its customers.

He listen to everything I say and says he'll need to type up my complaint and send to the regional. He gets back on the line with me and says, "I forward to the general manager of the store you dropped it off with". I said, "What good will that do. He's the one the made the agreement with me and also changed it, that's why I'm speaking to you". I need to speak with someone who is his boss because more than likely he'll uphold his decision. I said are all the notes in your system that rely document my confirmation back on Thursday and what was agreed upon? He says yes and that I shouldn't have been charged an extra day or the extra fees. I then ask for the number to corporate and to email to me. He does and before I hang up I say to him, "I'm not upset with you personally but with U-Haul and its business practices and how they treat their customers".

I get a call from the store general manager the next day Sunday, April 15th, 2018. We exchange pleasantries and then he starts with, "Your per day fee is $42, which includes out of state fees, plus insurance and one three extra days". I say to him, "We spoke you and I and you confirmed with me that my per day amount would be $29.95, plus insurance of $12 which would be $42 per day, did you not say this to me?" "Sir if you would refer to your contract it show a $42 per day fee and out of state fees and insurance." I said "Why did you say refer to my contract when I spoke to you directly face to face and you printed a part of my contract to me and showed me it was $29.95, plus $12 for insurance." He immediately jumps in and says, "I knew there was something wrong and fishy with your contract and no it's $42 per day plus insurance, out of state fees and gas."

I said, "That's not what we agreed with and no what the printed document you gave me state in state local rate." And before I could finish my statement he jumps back in and says, "Sir look at your contract. It says it right there". I say, "Why to do you keep telling me to refer to my contract when you and I spoke and your printed out my contract and showed me. It said $29.95 plus $12 for insurance which is $42 per day". "No that's not right. You need to look at your contract and stop interrupting me". Now I'm beyond upset with the general manager of the store. Told me to my face and made an agreement of price and now going back on his wording and to look at my contract. I say to him in anger, "Don't talk me this way in I'm the customer" and he hangs up on me!

So everybody, you've read the story and I would like to get your opinion because anybody who knows me, knows I don't seek out any harm or revenge towards anybody but this situation truly upset me and the fact the general manager lied to me. He couldn't read his own contract to convey the correct amounts and then goes back on his word.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 13, 2018

Worst experience I have ever had with a company. To begin with I booked online however the day before we moved they call us to tell us that booking online doesn’t really mean anything... So why have that option?? So anyway this meant we had to downsize to a van which was fine, whatever. So we get there at 830 am which is the time we booked it for. We waited there for almost two hours because the van wasn’t even at the location!!! When we called Claire told us they were delivering the van to us and will be there shortly. However it never showed and we ended up having to drive all the way to the other side of town to get the ** van. Ok so when we get there we grab the key from the safe and get into the car... It’s the wrong key.

After having to go in and deal with the representative we finally had the right key. So after talking to Claire she told us she would refund $50 because of our experience. A week later no refund. I message an employee on the U-Haul chat and Melody told me we would not get a refund. I’ll never use U-Haul again and I will make sure everyone knows not to as well. Terrible customer service and I am beyond angry. Worst company to ever do business with.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I rented a car hauler from one location and returned it at another location in which they charged me and gave me 5 days to return the trailer. Returning it early (within 48 hours), I asked for some reimbursement. This was considered but they "do not reimburse" because the charges are for "wear and tear" on the trailer according to mileage. I contacted customer service and got the same response. No consideration at all. I should have kept the trailer the whole time so they could not rent it to someone else.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I recently had to contact U-Haul International due to an "eAlert" on my file, supposedly for an outstanding fee. The representative I spoke with, by the name of Jocelyn **, had advised me this was due to an outstanding balance due to mileage and the credit card used at the time did not approve the full amount. I was aware of the outstanding charge at the time of the original reservation, and once advised of the outstanding balance, had paid for the balance in cash. This was August 2013. I reserved my U-Haul online 4/2/18 and did not have any issues with the reservation. It wasn’t until today, 4/5/18 that my reservation could not be completed due to this “eAlert”. Upon speaking to the aforementioned representative, I was told that I still had the outstanding fee PLUS service charges due to length of time it had been outstanding.

I advised this has since been paid, and yet was told I could not reserve a truck until resolved. This was while I was at the U-haul location, after reservation had long since been confirmed. I had requested to speak to Jocelyn’s manager, and she stated she was a manager and there was not a higher manager that I could speak to. This is unacceptable. Surely, this individual I spoke with was NOT the CEO of U-Haul, and being the first to answer the customer service line, advising me that there is not a higher representative to speak to is false and considered an egregious refusal to a customer’s request.

I repeated advised that I need to speak to someone higher than this representative, to which this representative continued to refuse. I then asked for the representative’s name, which the representative gave, asked for an identification number, which the representative refused. The representative only offered to waive the “service charges” but still advised that the only way I may complete the reservation was to pay the outstanding fee. Which, as stated above, I had already paid several years ago.

This is a service failure for U-Haul. The fact that there is not an alert for any outstanding fees when I initiated the reservation, only to wait to advise when I’m physically picking up the vehicle I reserved is completely unacceptable. This means that I am forced to pay an additional fee regardless of how incorrect it is, because I’m in a position where I need the services I reserved right at that time. Had I known there was an issue, it would have been addressed when the reservation was initiated, and not start to take away reserved time for the vehicle and put me at risk for incurring more fees. This is highly unethical, and I will be posting further reviews by other means to express the level of disservice that has been provided by U-Haul.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: March 31, 2018

I ordered a seven ping trailer wiring system for my truck. A week later, it arrived to be installed at U-Haul on Memorial Road in Oklahoma City. It would not connect correctly with my new trailer. It broke while trying to get it to latch. The counter clerk at U-Haul argued with me and went to her office for 15-20 minutes having me wait on an answer. I waited on hold on U-Haul corporate customer service for 20 plus minutes. They do not answer. This company does not care. I just want my money back and to warn others to go to a local installer with reputable products and better service.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I wish I could give 0 stars. I rented a U-Haul on February 8, 2018 from the Alexandria, VA location located at Wiygul Automotive Center. Picked up and returned 4 hours later after hours. Received a final bill the next day (not a problem, was about $120.00). On March 19, 2018, I get a charge on my credit for over $800 dollar from U-Haul. I disputed with my bank and awaiting results of investigation. YOU LOW DOWN DIRTY DOGS U-HAUL. Skimming credit cards. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM YOU AGAIN. I’m PISSED beyond words. SHAME ON YOU. BUYER BEWARE...

Original review: March 5, 2018

Chatted with U-Haul at 3am told trailer would be $55/day and insurance $11/day for two-way 5 day trip. Then called and asked if one-way rental would be less expensive since it would take less days (2 day trip). Customer service encouraged talking to the attendant where the trailer was physically located. The first attendant (convenience store clerk) was clueless saying her computer was down. She sent us to another location where a young man would help us. He did the change from two-way to one-way conversion to the contract but did not explain the fine print and said after the trailer was returned the cost would be adjusted from 5 day trip down to the actual lesser days. After the trailer was delivered 2 days later U-Haul refused to reduce the charge and charged us for 5 days rental. U-Haul is hiding behind the fine print of their one-way contract which has a completely different rate structure compared to two-way rental.

U-Haul did a bait and switch. I was chatting a person starting at 3:30am or so and under the impression that the trailer would cost $55/day for rental and $11/day for insurance. At the time I thought it would take 5 days to get the trailer back to U-Haul after taking delivery of it. Then on the way to pick up the trailer I called and talked to customer service and asked if it would be less expensive to do a one way. They said to speak to the attendant where the trailer was physically located to change it to a one-way. The guy who changed it from a two-way to a one-way knew very little and gave the impression that after the trailer was delivered U-Haul would adjust the rental for less days!!! What a rip-off!!!

If we had known bringing the trailer back (two-way) would have been less expensive we would have done this. It would have been very easy for us to haul that empty auto transporter trailer back. We made it back in 3 days total round trip. Thus it would have been a 3-day rental 3*66=$196+tax...that is what we should be charged!!!

Very unsatisfied!!! Attendants should be trained better to explain the fine print differences between two-way and one-way rentals... Very convenient on U-Haul's end to hide behind the lawyer speak in the fine print of what was signed when the signer is under the impression there is a daily rate that is the same for one-way compared to two-way. Anyone at U-Haul who knew how the fine print works was not available to talk to face-to-face... What a terrible way to scam customers.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Always good renting trucks and trailers, selling boxes, tape, etc. However, dropping off equipment can be a nightmare. We recently had a 26 ft truck and a car trailer. Called where to turn in on arrival as instructed, only to be sent to a location that does not support U-Haul. 2 more trips to turn in and at 2 different places.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

U-Haul has Excellent Customer Service, and I always have a truck to my availability. I never experienced a problem with using or receiving any services from U-Haul.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I selected a moving truck online for the local U-Haul location. The day to pick it up arrived. I went there, and already trouble started. They claimed they didn't find my payment on file. They also didn't have the size truck I requested. I went to another U-Haul location where they gave me the necessary size truck. The truck broke down within 15 minutes of driving it. I called their roadside assistance. The mechanic came out and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the truck. They also would not switch trucks so it would not happen again. The truck randomly started working again, figured it was an overheating problem. Went ahead and loaded up the truck.

The next day I drove for about an hour and a half (out of a 6-hour move) and it was acting strange. Pulled over for a bit. Went back on the road and it completely broke down. Took roadside assistance 4 hours to finally come out to tow me the rest of the way. That night, the tow company towed it to an undisclosed location. I called customer service the next day and they said they didn't know where the truck was and I would be liable for it disappearing. They finally found the truck a day later. Morons. I also requested a refund since it didn't run for very long. The woman was very nasty and was yelling and said I would only receive a partial refund. I agreed. Then I did a chargeback once the refund came through. 6 months later, they sent a collection agency after me for 90 bucks. Talk about petty and garbage service. Will never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I used the U-Haul website to reserve a cargo moving van yesterday around 1:00 pm in the afternoon. They said that it would be somewhat close to my home (3 miles away... Remember they charge by the mile). I confirmed my reservation last night at 8 pm and again they gave me the same address for pick-up. Today my husband and oldest son went to go pick it up. Not only does the pick-up site not have our van, but they are not even open today. Now we have to pick up our van miles away, in a totally different city. U-Haul is fluffing their pockets with their customers' money and causing their customers larger fees for longer rentals by moving their rentals away and offering fake pick up locations.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

The vehicles are not maintained, we have had one that was low on oil, and this one wouldn't start the day to return it, causing a call to the roadside via U-Haul, who called a tow truck to return it. Then U-Haul proceeds to charge the fuel charge when we couldn't get it to a gas station to put the gas in it. Lost a customer for unauthorised charges. WTH U-Haul.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have rented U-Haul trucks at least 100 times the last 25 years. I just went in Monday to rent a 8 foot truck and was informed that I would need to give a phone number of somebody who could verify who I was. What? You want to call somebody to verify who I am after I give you my license and credit card? I laughed and asked if they were kidding. I’m 63 and said, "I’m not giving you anybody’s phone number to ask permission to rent a truck." They refused to rent me a truck. Lol. I drove down the street and rented at another place. Too much invasion of privacy. ** this company. Leave your left nut for the keys next.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I went in to the U-Haul store in Hattiesburg, Ms to rent a truck to move 90 miles away. The lady told me it would be 29.95 to rent the truck and .40 a mile. So I made sure the fuel was more than when I left Hattiesburg. I dropped the truck off. Ask about my refund the girl told me that it would not be charged to my account. And I looked on my account. They charge me a total of $150.44. The lady told me that it was supposed to be a flat fee. The lady when I picked it up told me that it would be 29.95 and $0.40 a mile. Not a flat fee. But it was supposed to be a flat fee. The lady in Hattiesburg lied to me. So when I called U-Haul they didn't want to refund me my extra money. When I called them they said it was a flat fee! NOBODY TOLD ME THAT! I'M SO MAD! WHY LIE TO ME ABOUT THE COST! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM! THEY ARE LIARS!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

U-Haul rental del Monte Ave Monterey CA 93940 - I rented a truck 1/12/2018. I included insurance coverage $14 to cover for damages. When we returned the truck, we were told that we broke the drivers compartment. We explained we do not vandalize and it might have been broken before we rented because it was an old U-Haul truck. Today, 1/18/2018, I rented again another truck. The representative, “Mr. **," told me that It is required that provide a secondary phone number that they have to call to verify. And they also have to call the bank verify my credit card because they have a new system. I just rented 6 days ago, and I have to go to such long process?

Since I have to wait long, I have to use the restroom. Gush, it has broken doors and somebody opened while I was inside the restroom. I told Representative “Mr. **” that the restroom has unsafe doors and one of their employees opened it while I was inside. The worst conclusion of the day, I was charged $20 for cleaning fee. I asked if I just clean it myself, and the representative said no because I was already charged. I could have forgotten about the questionable verification process. I could have forgotten about the restroom incident. But with the cleaning fee added insult to injury.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have had the worst experience with the PIEDMONT RD location in Atlanta GA. For months their payment system showed my account as delinquent when month to month my bank was making payments scheduled on time. My checks were being misplaced and no one made efforts to solve this in a timely manner. I got bombarded with emails, letters, calls about my payments being delayed in a DAILY BASIS. Meanwhile the store manager Tim would tell me I was OK. Never an honest apology and just not making efforts to follow up with. Didn't care how annoyed I was with their automatic service sending those letters.

4 months with the same issue. I escalated to customer service, regional manager and all I got was put on hold, pushed behind, not able to access my storage... absolutely no interest to the customers. Not to mention the staff in the front desk, sometime people who don't even work there, behind the desk unhelpful, eating. Unpleasant and so unprofessional. Just the worst!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I booked to rent a 'Vacationer' trailer, a small trailer for luggage, for 3 weeks. I could not find one near me but I really needed a small trailer so I decided to pick one up 150 km away. On the day of the pick up, it was not available. They had sent it for servicing the day before and did not bother to inform their customer that it was not available anymore. That, after I had paid and booed it.

So their solution was to give me a larger, uncovered cage trailer for the same price. I told them that it was not a discount for me because I did not need a uncovered trailer and a bigger one. I needed a small COVERED one. I asked to return it closer to home because I could have booked a caged trailer near home and they refused! They kept insisting that they had rented the larger trailer for a smaller price and that was their incentive for their mistake. It was not an incentive to me because it was a more difficult with a larger trailer and a uncovered one. I don't understand how a company can take my money and promise me a service and go back on their word. And then not compensate me on not honouring their agreement. I'm sure they'd charge me more if I breached the agreement.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I feel that I was coerced into location of pick up and drop off, because it was far from both my move out location and move in, when I had objected to this the lady I spoke with when I called the 800 number to set up my reservation would not listen to me and told me to talk to the man that will be calling me he can change it, when I did he said that the place that is the most convenient didn't have what I wanted, when I got the truck it was dusty old and chugged bumpily, I read the agreement. I was not ever told they were going to charge me by the mileage, I brought the truck back with more gas than it was given to me, and the guy says it is $151. And something cents. I am disabled. I live on social security. The move itself wiped me away so I still owe $51. It was a in town move. I was charged .99 a mile. Why didn't they tell me this in the First place.

I left there feeling so ugly like I walked away from a den of thieves, I felt hopeless cause my finances just barely support me and my 6 yr. old. I had to move because my apt wall was caving in... This whole business transaction was totally a way of squeezing money from the poor. They treated men with bank cards like gold. They treated my disability card like it was garbage and me like I was less. Why? because I am a woman? Disabled? A minority? It was very dishonorable and dishonest and very misleading. I felt inadequate used and betrayed and gross. Moving is stressful, being treated like I am less because of my gender, financial status, disability race whatever was something I really didn't need. I would have loved to have been treated like the 2 customers in front of me, bank cards, wallet full of money, men, Anglo square on IDK whatever it was...

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I made an appointment on 12/21 to have a trailer hitch installed on the morning of 12/28 at 8AM. Walked in right before 8AM the morning of the 28th and was told that the installer doesn't arrive until between 8:45 and 9AM. Why then would you make an appointment for 8AM? I returned at 9AM to talk directly to Christopher **, the General Manager, who told me the part hadn't arrived. Why wouldn't the guy I spoke to earlier tell me that? The part was scheduled to arrive later that afternoon. When I asked if someone could install it the next morning, Christopher told me yes and that he has someone in as early as 7AM. I then asked if an installer would be in at 7AM because I was told an installer would be here this morning at 8AM and was not. Christopher responded in a very sarcastic tone "Well, tomorrow is a different day". That's when I decided to cancel the order and never deal with this company again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I attempted to rent a U-Haul and the experience was extremely poor. I did everything that I was told through the application but I had no access to the keys so I contacted the representative that night and they told me they would call me back to assist and they never did. The reservation was cancelled and was told that I would get a full refund but they only refunded me half of what I was charge. I called back again and they said they were going to process the refund again and y’all never did. Now I’m being told that half of what I’m only suppose. I transferred to a voicemail of Earl, account manager. I’m extremely upset that I had to waste time to handle this issue when I spent 3 hours in the dark that night trying to get a service and that never happened.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Worst moving experience ever! Used U-Haul to do a coast to coast move and was given the worst truck possible. Truck would not got over 60, I had to keep heat on blast due to door not sealing so there was a constant breeze that felt like and sounded like a wind tunnel. Took 3 hours to get U-Haul at pickup so rushed away without checking contract which said gas was on full (it was not) so upon returning was told I would be charged 112.00. Ended up having 142.00 directly taken out of my account despite me being in the process of disputing the fuel amount.

And dealing with customer service was another nightmare in itself. Over 5 hours on the phone with multiple reps, told management would call me back. They never did. Finally would not get off phone until speaking with management only to be told they would look into it and call me back, they still haven't. All around worst experience ever dealing with a business that I paid over 2 grand to use their service and be treated like crap the entire time. Would not recommend using U-Haul.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

2 times I had issues with u-haul. 1st one I got diverted 30 minutes out of my way to another location. 2nd one to tell me there wasn't any trailers in my area and I would have to drive 1+hour to get the trailer I need. Both calls happen THE DAY BEFORE! U-haul has to understand those that are moving are busy and getting a call 1 day before the move is uncalled for and bad customer service. U-haul does not have any type of inventory system connected to their customer ordering. So when you make a reservation, it doesn't mean squat. You need to call the place you are wanting to get the trailer. U-haul: Please improve your reservation system. Why let customer order on the site when you cannot guarantee availability.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Moved from California to Texas. Upsized vehicles during moving process, left paperwork, documents in personal zipper closing folder of no value to anyone in truck cab. The employees of U-Haul search these trucks very carefully, and I cannot believe they would not even keep this item. The one time I leave an item of no value and gets tossed aside. Be careful to check, since the employees do not seem to empathize with the situation.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I reserved a U-Haul at my nearby location for a day in December. A week before my move date, I received a text and email that the pickup location was now miles away and noticed that U-Haul had the wrong date (6 days before my actual pickup date). I frantically called because we booked 3rd party movers to help us and U-Haul tried to blame me for changing the date. They said they could get a truck on the correct date, and would email me confirmation 24 hours in advance. "So you can't guarantee that the truck will even be in this other location on my move date?" I asked. "No," was the reply. I asked if this is really how they do business and the rep replied yes. I told them I wouldn't be doing business with U-Haul. Moving is stressful enough, but if a huge corporation like U-Haul can't actually confirm truck and location then they have no business making reservations.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Absolutely terrible service! When I stopped in to pick up my U-Haul in the morning, the person at the counter was completely rude and said I had checked in online and would need to figure it out on my phone. She seemed completely put off. I reserved the U-Haul for 8 hours and came back to return the vehicle at 6:30 p.m. at the end of my reservation and my car was locked behind a gate! I had to call U-Haul customer service three different times. They could not get ahold of the people that own this pickup location and therefore U-Haul could do nothing for me.

I live 62 miles from this drop off spot and since I couldn't pick up my car I had to take the U-Haul home incurring another hundred and thirty-five miles in charges along with 2 hours out of my time to return the U-Haul the next day. Suggest renting your moving vehicle from somewhere else, maybe budget? U-Haul said it would take 72 hours before somebody would even get back to me regarding this issue. What a joke!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Dec 2nd I ordered a U-Haul at the Queensway location for pick up (closer to my home) and drop off in Mississauga (closer to my new home). So the night before my move they called me and told me they did not have my truck in stock so I have to go pick it up at the Mississauga location which is out of my way because that is where I'm moving to. So obviously they had to compensate me for that because that was not my fault. Okay so I also ordered two dollies. When I got back home the dollies were not in the truck, so I called and they told me to now drive up to the Queensway location to pick up the dollies and I will be compensated for my personal gas and my time being wasted.

When I got to the U-Haul location they told me that they didn't have any of the dolly that I ordered, so I just took Whatever Dolly that they had left because I didn't want to come back with nothing. When I return my U-Haul at the Mississauga location nobody was there to speak with to get my compensation even though it was noted on file. The next day I got a charge for $36 from U-Haul and when I called they told me it was for the gas and that they are not going to compensate me anything because they compensated me the U-Haul they had me pick up at the Mississauga location. So long story short I wasn't compensated for anything. ** service is horrible. Very unorganized.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

On October 30, I went with my daughter to return a U-Haul truck she had rented in Dallas Texas. The 1-800 number said to return it to some run-down building on the outskirts of town where I live 5 hours away. The guy said that she had extra mileage to pay for??? I paid for it on my credit card-$133. On November 23, I noticed I had 2 more charges from U-Haul, one for $1.77 and one for $3.15, on my pending charges on my credit card. I immediately wrote U-Haul and was told: "Unfortunately, we are not able to discuss a customer's account with a third party as that violate privacy protocols. That person will have to contact us directly to request information on charges on their account."

I'm over here like are you kidding me? You can feel free to charge MY card without permission for God knows what but not tell me why? People, check your credit cards! There is no telling how many people just let these random small charges go and not say anything. I will NEVER recommend this company or use their service EVER!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

They got the destination wrong. The truck had no air conditioner. Heat was on all the Time. Couldn't shut it off. They didn't tell me if I brought it back early I wouldn't get the difference back. Service was bad. Not satisfied. Frustrated with my whole trip. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My mother rented a truck from U-Haul and paid in advance. The reservation was made in Miami but the truck was to be picked up in Jacksonville. When we picked up the truck we didn't have a dolly so I paid for a $12 dolly with my card and U-Haul charged me for the dolly the full rental of the truck $188.32 and when the truck was returned they charged me $49.73 (I never had a rental with them just a dolly). I still have not received my money back and they were paid twice for the truck once from my mom and from myself. When I spoke with the general manager at the Normandy location in Jacksonville about the 2nd transaction that went through my account he advised it was not his problem.

I'm a single mom and cannot afford for a $250 transaction to be taken out of my account for a truck I never rented and tomorrow is Thanksgiving... Nothing for my daughter and I because of their error that has not been corrected. The general manager and others at the cooperate office for U-Haul admitted to the error and I was told that I would have the money replaced by today but it never was. I didn't give a rating with any stars because U-Haul don't deserve any.

U-Haul Company Information