2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

BOTTOM LINE

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

PROS

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

CONS

• Preferences not guaranteed

Top U-Haul Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best customer service I have received in the past thirty years if not in my entire life!

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpful. Thank you to U-Haul for coming through for me!!

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
      • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
      • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
      10-foot $1,350
      15-foot $1,400
      20-foot $1,700
      26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
      • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
      • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
      For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
      Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
      Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
      How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
      A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
      Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
      No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Extreme Rate Increase SCAM - BEWARE!! Obtained a quote and made a reservation in the store for a 20' truck and auto transporter about a month in advance of our move date. A week later I returned to the store to look inside the different trucks, then modified my reservation to a 26' truck. I had to request and insist on a new written quote for the larger truck. A couple of days prior to my move I checked my reservation via my online account page and noticed the quoted price had increased by $845.00 with no explanation and no details listed on the reservation. The reservation showed us renting the truck for 17 days. I had booked the truck for 8 days. That was certainly an error.

I called to correct the erroneous time frame, thinking that would also correct the price hike. The reservations agent corrected the time frame, but that correction did not change the price. I was told that the extra days were given for "free" so the change in price wasn't because of the additional days, but he could not or would not tell me what the increased price was for. After several more phone calls and one very unproductive online live chat session, (the agent in the chat session ended the session while I was typing a question) I was eventually told by another agent that a few days before my call, there was a rate increase added to my reservation.

I had a friend log into U-Haul's website and request a quote with my exact details and dates, the prices on the website were the same as we were quoted 3 weeks prior. It appeared the "rate increase" was just for my reservation. The last agent that I spoke with had no explanation for the increased rate and suggested I contact the "regional office" and request they honor their original quoted rates, which were printed out for me at the store. Fortunately, we were able to rent a similar truck and trailer from Budget Truck Rental for $1100.00 less than U-Haul had intended to charge us. I cancelled the U-Haul reservation, we will not be patronizing any U-Haul businesses ever again. Had we not checked the reservation before moving day we wouldn't have been aware of the "rate increases" until we picked up the truck, it would have been too late to make other arrangements at that point. Scandalous!! Zero stars for U-Haul.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I contacted Uhaul 11/16/17, and reserved 2 UPods to be delivered to my house the following day. She said someone would call me before delivery to explain how to load the pods I waited until well after noon the next day waiting for my pods to be delivered. When I didn’t receive the call I was expected to receive I called Uhaul back and talked to a very helpful employee, Trish. She connected me to Sara, who I believe took my original reservation. She told me I said I would be picking up, which I did not.

Lousy experience all the way around, except for Trish. The only person who tried to provide good customer service. I read the other reviews on this site saying how messed up the UPod service is. If I had read reviews beforehand I would have never attempted wasting my time with Uhaul’s UPod service. I found a full service moving company with excellent reviews which will cost just a couple hundred $ more for full service for my 200 mile move. I haul never again!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

We are devastated. We rented a 15 foot truck to move our fish tanks and fish and and keepsakes before the big move. Our truck was stolen and U-Haul is billing us even though we bought their coverage!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

DO NOT USE THE U-HAUL UPOD SERVICE. There is absolutely no communication from Uhaul’s end on when they are picking up the POD, where they are dropping it off, or when they are dropping it off. It is the most disorganized service. On the front end of my move, I spent hours going to the store/calling Uhaul to ensure that they were coming to get my POD. It was less than 24 hours before my move and Uhaul “could not confirm that I had a delivery time the next day,” which is when I needed to move out…. even though I had gone into a Uhaul location to move the reservation. At that point, I was skeptical that they would deliver it to the right place (since there seemed to be no organization), so I had them repeat back to me (and enter into the case notes) exactly where the POD needed to be dropped off at my address in Illinois.

Somehow, they still managed to send my POD to a Uhaul location that wasn’t “the correct drop off district for my address” Even though I gave Uhaul the correct address, they told me that they didn’t have any drivers to come and deliver the POD to me since it was not “in their district.” I wish I was kidding when I say I spent a week actively calling Uhaul customer service, trying to find someone who would help me because the location of the store that had my Uhaul POD in Alsip, IL did not care. I finally found a manager at their corporate office in Phoenix named Nathan who helped me get my POD a week late, but Uhaul still refuses to fairly compensate me for the move that I had to take a week off of work to coordinate and orchestrate.

I am currently filing my 3rd complaint (I’m still unclear where the last 2 complaints went, but I haven’t heard back). I will update this post to let you know if there is anyone at Uhaul who cares about customer service. That said, I have moved 10+ times in my life, and this was the worst experience I have ever had. I 100% do not recommend this service.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

I made a reservation for a 20' truck for a move with a confirmed reservation by email. On day of pickup while driving to the location to pickup, logged on for online pickup and noticed my order was cancelled without any call or notification. At location was initially told it was because I was not on-time to pickup vehicle and after pushing back that my order said nothing about being exactly on time to pickup and also had not received any call from them, was then was told the truth that it was because the vehicle had not been returned, they were overcommitted. Requested another vehicle of different size since I had people waiting to help move and was told there was no other option and they could not help me at all for the entire day. Thankfully for another client who was present and arranged to transfer his vehicle only to me when he returned it a few hours later. Warning to those who are counting on their reservations.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I have attempted to book a unit for an upcoming move twice online in the last 2 weeks and somehow, neither of my reservations went through to anyone. I then called the dealer nearest me and inquired about the rental over the phone. I was told that neither of my reservations existed in their system. The person on the other end of the phone proceeded to take my information, interrupted me several times trying to correct his spelling of my name; it was very incorrectly according to the confirmation information I received.

Fast-forward to today, I receive a call from the National office telling me that the truck I rented over the phone the other day is not available for when I booked it. When I told her that this was not acceptable, she hung up on me. I am extremely dissatisfied with this whole experience, and I am not even able to leave a review on the dealer's site, as they have cancelled my reservation number, or on their Facebook page.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

"U-Haul agrees to contact reserved customer the day prior to pickup to finalize time, place and equipment size. If this varies from customer's reservation preference and an acceptable alternative is not agreeable, U-Haul will make a $50 Reservation Guarantee payment, the reservation will be terminated and the matter closed."

The only guarantee this, provides is for U-Haul to be able to cancel or alter a reservation completely at the customer's expense. After booking a 26' truck 6 weeks ago for a one way delivery, I was informed 2 days before the move, that the requested truck was unavailable. They offered a 15' truck, a glorified pick up truck, that would required at least one more have be returned to the original location, more than an hour away. I called their customer service line to and spoke to several people. All told me there was nothing that could be done. There were several trucks available in the area, but I was told they were strictly for local pickup and drop off. Several suitable alternate trucks were available but were for strictly for local pickups and not one way travel. Calls to several agents, managers and schedulers went nowhere and only empty apologies were offered and that there was nothing they could do.

I've taken screen shots of their site since then where equipment is offered but at rates almost triple what I have quoted. This guarantee allows Uhaul to ensure they have customers weeks and months in advance, without providing the customers any protections. If demand spikes they can simply cancel as many reservations they like, and book to people at the new higher rates. And the $50 credit to a future moving truck is not going to do a lot of good. All this at my expense. Be wary when booking with Uhaul, they may have a lot of inventory, but they're lacking in integrity.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

Terrible Experience. In short, I reserved a unit for a long distance out of state relocation. When I got to U-HAUL my unit was not available. With the moving truck right behind me I was forced into a more expensive indoor unit and was not compensated for the difference. Because this new unit was indoors it also took the movers and extra hour+ which cost me an extra $150 dollars. Nothing was done at the store level and when I wrote a compliant to corporate, I never heard back from them. DO NOT DUE BUSINESS WITH U-HAUL. They will treat you like garbage and do not care about the customer at all.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

I requested to rent a van and I was told to accept a rental of one van at one location, but: There was no van at that location and I was advised to go to another location. The third location had a van. I am disabled with a walker and all of that walking and standing was physically a hardship. I had movers scheduled to help me and I had to ask for a modification of the arrival time. Fortunately, they were more dependable. I am six one and the driver's seat is limited to move backward because of a petition built to protect the driver from one's belongings hitting the driver but it was very uncomfortable.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I tried twice reserving a truck from U-Haul for a cross-state move and BOTH times requested a specific truck, no ability to, then being told what I need is nowhere within at least 3 hours. That's only part of the frustrations with their awful reservation process. The ONLY decent part was being able to drop off the truck by taking pictures and uploading them, but tough luck if you have bad lighting or no internet access....

U-Haul Company Information