Find a Movers partner

4.0/5 (1981 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Top U-Haul Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best cu...

Verified

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpfu...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
    • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
    • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
    10-foot $1,350
    15-foot $1,400
    20-foot $1,700
    26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
    • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
    • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
    For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
    Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
    Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
    How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
    A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
    Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
    No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: April 17, 2021

It was easy to rent a moving van from this moving company. My aunt and I put a down payment down for it but it wasn't that much. All I had to do was refill the truck back up with the same gas amount that was in it when she purchased it for me. All you need is license and no negative history with the company. If you have an accident you will be charged and refundable deposit will be kept.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Moved from Chicago to Florida. They were very professional, packed what I wanted them to, tv’s, lamps, etc. Took apart Furniture and reassembled at new home. The best part was they stored it while waiting for the closing.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2021

In these days & times, during Covid-19, with a lot of people out of work, & less money to work with, it helps when you can get things like moving accomplished, but with half the cost. Now you still have to be wise in your choice of companies that you choose to work with in the end, but you will save a lot of money by packing yourself, renting your own truck, & doing the driving yourself. The only thing you will need the 2-3 guys for, would be to meet you at your old place & load everything onto your truck, then follow you to your new place, & unload everything off of your truck. After the job is done, you will give them the payment code that they turn in to Moving Helpers, to be paid for the completed job; that's it.

I have used them successfully several times, in & out of state. My sons use them when they were in college, & job transferring. We have never had a problem, & we saved a lot of money by packing & securing the truck & driving ourselves. You will have several companies, within your area to choose from. Everything is done online. Tipping is left up to the customer. I always did, because I felt like they earned it.

Original review: June 10, 2021

So I have been trying to move from CO to NV and they have made it a horrible experience. They randomly canceled my 26' truck rental. I had to call to figure out why. Every time I called I got redirect to New Mexico, Texas and Alaska all saying I had to get the CO office they are the only ones to help you. After calling within 2 minutes of them opening I finally got the correct office. Just to be told they are not letting the large truck leave state anymore because too many people are leave Colorado and no one is moving to CO. That is ** since we all hear and see the reports of the house sale. Then they say they can only give largest trailer for out of state. It became apparent they are just trying to do multiple rentals to get more money instead of supplying what people really need and using there stock.

I have seen tons of 26' at the 4 different U-Haul I went to in person. All saying the same that they won't let those trucks and trailer leave the state. I then tried to by a tow hitch and have it shipped to me and said it would be here in 3 days. It is now 5 days and all they sent was the ball and clip both I can get a Walmart or O'Reilly for 1/2 the price. I used to use U-Haul for all my moving needs for the last 10 years. I don't know if it is a CO thing but I will never use them again. A bunch of scammers.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I ordered a trailer on the 800 number several weeks prior to my moving date (tomorrow). I was explicit that I wanted to pick up the trailer at one of the many Uhaul dealers in my town the morning of my move (I live in a town of 125,000 people...there are many locations). The representative told me that I would receive a call the day before to let me know what dealer I would pick up the trailer from. I was fine with that. On the day before the scheduled move, I was notified via text that my trailer could be picked up in a neighboring southern state to me, over 1.25 hours away from where I live. That would add 2.5 hours back and forth when I was expecting to move in the morning. This is not even practical.

I called the 800 number to try to sort this out and was on hold for 50 minutes waiting to speak to a representative. I was transferred numerous times, the rep always saying, "I'm not the one who can help you". When I finally got to the right person, they told me I was out of luck, that no trailers were available in my home town. She told me that this was the end of the month and it is not uncommon for this to happen at this time of the month??? Now I have no trailer for my move tomorrow. When I got off the phone, I called the dealer locally to make sure no trailer was available...and was basically told that "Uhaul does this many times to customers". I am livid about this and will NEVER do business with Uhaul again.

Original review: May 26, 2021

U-Haul corporate office in Phoenix AZ just hung up on me after poorly explaining why they won’t issue a 50% credit for a problem during my move. When I made my reservation I had the representative submit an application to MovingHelp.com, a third party company that will schedule a local mover to help your move. Unfortunately he submitted my information wrong, a clerical error, but as a result my move was delayed several hours and caused added stress because the mover couldn’t contact me to confirm the schedule.

Out of frustration I initially asked for a full $300 refund as the services were not delivered adequately, but I told the corporate rep I’d settle at 50/50 since I did ultimately still use the service. He said $100 was all he could issue but would not further explain why, and when I asked him for a third time to explain he said “I’m sorry we can’t resolve this further for you, you’ll have to take it up with the local manager.” And hung up on me.

I’ve now been on FB messenger with a rep who says they offer a $50 refund for an unfulfilled reservation and as they’ve already offered me $100 there is nothing more they can do. She also offered a $30 U-haul gift card. Uhaul, are you really telling me you don’t have $50 in petty cash to resolve this to satisfaction? That sum is nothing to this company but to me it’s a week of groceries. Appalled by the lack of customer service when the company is at fault.

Original review: May 22, 2021

The company policy of charging for a service without being able to fulfill the reservation is very disappointing. I had an appointment for a truck that was not available and never was and a different reservation with moving helpers that were also not available and never was. The people at the U-Haul store was very helpful and took care of the truck portion. I had to go and find my own helpers even though UHaul charged me before I ever had any moving help. Their refund takes 3-5 business days but only took them minutes to charge for a service they could not perform. To sum up I was charged for two different services that UHaul could not fulfill and never had the ability to fulfill at the time they said they could.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Short version: go with somebody else; Penske, Budget, local outfit, anybody but Uhaul.

Long version: I made a reservation for a 26' truck and when I drove 30 miles to where they had the size I wanted, I was told it was not available: even though it was parked outside. They told me I could rent a shorter truck and drive another 20 miles to get a 4' x 8' trailer. When I got the trailer the chains were dragging on the ground: not just a little, a full foot of each chain was dragging on the ground. I decided to not use the trailer since I could not even see it and the thing was a joke that did not even have a device to lift the tongue off the ground. What a joke. The lightest, bare minimum box on two wheelbarrow wheels you can imagine.

So I took off in the truck and a mile from town a chunk of metal came off that looked 3' long bouncing down the freeway at 70mph while cars swerved to avoid it. My guess is a catalytic converter cover. Well the old girl got so hot it was burning my feet, no AC, and some of my wheels on suitcase melted in the back, but, by GOD, we made it. Had to stop and let her breathe a couple times each mountain pass. I was praying she would not break down with most of my belongings, and the LORD saw us through.

Since I could not get a 26' truck I have to make two trips now and pay for both of them. Turns out the price per mile is the major cost and it is the same no matter what size the truck is. Uhaul does not care about their mistake and not available to answer the phone either. If you do wait all day to talk to them, all you get is a call center anyway. The call center has a rude woman whose only skill is to give you the number for customer service. Anyway, I left their stupid trailer on the side of the road and told them to come pick it up. Not sure how much that will cost me but I tell you what. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM UHAUL AGAIN AND I MAY EVEN START VANDALIZING THEIR TRUCKS AT RANDOM FROM NOW ON. Tired of getting screwed by some huge corporation that is so nice until they have my credit card numbers and then they are busy and rude.

Original review: April 29, 2021

Because U-haul is a franchise/licensed company, it is hit or miss whether you will get good service. Trying to schedule through the online site is completely useless because it will make a reservation, then when you call to make your pickup at the site assigned, they have no idea what you are talking about. It is a horribly run system.

Original review: April 29, 2021

U-Haul forced us to drive 120 miles to pick up truck. The day before our 5 day drive from OR to MN, U-Haul called and said the truck we had rented would only be available at a location 120 miles further than the location on our reservation. That was 4 hours of additional driving and gas for my wife and I the day before out trip. Customer Service foul up. When customer service was telling us we had to drive 120 miles out of our way to get the moving truck, they said they would set up an extra day and mileage on our contract. When we got to the new U-Haul location, they had no record of that information. Almost impossible to reach Customer Service. U-Haul customers should be prepared to wait on the phone for 20+ minutes to reach a customer service representative. Overcharged. We I got my credit card bill, U-Haul had overcharged my $215.88.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

U-Haul Company Information