3.7/5 (165 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Top U-Haul Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best cu...

Verified

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpfu...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
    • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
    • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
    10-foot $1,350
    15-foot $1,400
    20-foot $1,700
    26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
    • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
    • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
    For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
    Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
    Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
    How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
    A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
    Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
    No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

Rented a trailer and they didn't fulfill their obligation. Had to drive to another location to pick up. Advised they would refund $50.00 as per their policy. Have been trying to get refund for 2 months. They posted the refund on our Visa and then took it back. Would not use U-haul again or recommend using them. They are not reliable and the Managers are not helpful either.

Original review: July 28, 2022

We organized a Uhaul truck one month in advance of our move across the state. They called me at 7:40 am the morning we were to pick up the truck and said they did not have a truck for us until the following afternoon - and a 1.5 hour drive away from our house and the original pick-up location. NO GUARANTEES with this company. Five people had arranged time off and schedules to help us with this move. U-Haul offered me no financial benefit for the delay, and no other options of trucks to rent. We had less than 12 hours to come up with an alternative. It was a total nightmare.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2022

I rented U haul pods through U haul to have them packed, shipped and then delivered to my new address from Chicago to Des Moines. From start to finish this whole process was nothing short of a massive headache on top of an already stressful move. First they gave us a date on when the U haul shipment would arrive, then changed the date and said it would be later, then changed it back again to the same date and then leading up to the day of they told me "they weren't sure if it would be delivered in time". Lo and behold it finally arrives (late at night mind you) the day it is supposed to be delivered without any heads up or anything from U haul.

Then after all the U haul pods are picked up, 2 weeks later, I received two additional charges on my credit card for $140 with absolutely no explanation as to why and I am left on hold with them for over 45 minutes with no one answering my call. I was told the final charges for the U haul would be the day of the pick up for the pods. U haul is absolutely disorganized and does not take the customer's feelings into consideration. They are completely driven by profit and could care less whether your items arrive to your new living space. I couldn't imagine trying to move with them across the country if moving 5 hours west was this much of a headache. I will never be renting from them again and STRONGLY encourage anyone reading this to look elsewhere.

Original review: July 17, 2022

My experience with Uhaul was a nightmare. I booked a 15' truck and a 26' truck 2 months in advance of my moving date. I even checked in online the week before moving. Two days before moving, I receive a call from the local dealer saying they just happened to notice that they don't have a 26' truck. If the secretary hadn't noticed, I would have found out the day of the move. They had a 20' truck on site they offered to rent to me. If I refused, they would send my order back to head office and I would either be stuck with no truck or if they found one I would have to drive anywhere in Ontario to get it. I accepted the smaller truck. They compensated me with free dolley rental. Big deal! It cost me more doing extra trips with a smaller truck. It's a good thing I rented 2 trucks. Otherwise, I never would have gotten moved on time as we were 2 families moving.

Furthermore, I had to return the trucks half full with gas the way I received them. I managed to do that for one truck but the other still had a three quarter tank of gas. They wouldn't refund me $50 for my gas but they would have overcharged me if I had returned them under half. When I asked why we don't get and return the trucks full like every other car rental as it would be so easy to just fill up before returning, I was told it was because they wouldn't get paid to fill them up. Sounds like an excuse to cover up mismanagement. If most people are returning them full, they don't need to do it. If they charged extra for those that don't, they can be paid for their work. I asked why I couldn't get the truck I booked 2 months in advance. I was told that with all the people moving out east, there was a shortage of trucks in Ontario because the trucks are going out east and not coming back until they are conveniently rented by easterners moving to Ontario.

Smells like mismanagement again! Why can't they charge extra for not returning the truck to its original location like other rental companies do? Then with the extra charge, they can hire drivers to drive the truck back to its original location. It's time they fired the CEO of uhaul and hire someone who knows how to manage a business and value their customers. I was surprised to learn when talking to others that they had their own nightmare story to share about their uhaul experience. Everything they do is good for them, not for the client. If you can rent trucks from a small local company, go for it. Atleast they, would be concerned about their reputation.

Original review: July 3, 2022

U Box was ordered in May and taken away for FL on 6/17 with a date of 06/30 for delivery. It is 07/03/22 and the box is not in FL. Customer support has no idea where it is or when it will arrive. Had to call them many times to get any answers and finally got the most help through Twitter. Disappointed in the service quality and how they treat their mistakes.

Original review: June 17, 2022

I reserved an 8' pickup truck, for a friend, online using a major credit card. I then called the 800# to confirm my reservation & payment options. My reservation was confirmed & was told I needed to be with the person at pickup time & a major credit or debit card would be needed. I later called to change the pickup time which was confirmed & also payment methods. When we arrived the next morning to pick the truck up, the 1st thing they told us is they didn't have a pickup truck available. I told them that I confirmed my reservations twice. Then they say, "We have a pickup truck but it's out of gas & we would have to go right to the gas station & the amount of gas the truck is returned with would be deducted from payment." Finally, they wouldn't take a debit card as payment! I again called the 800# & was told debit couldn't be used for pickup trucks & vans but the U-Haul website says even says credit or debit card!

Original review: June 7, 2022

How can I be forced to leave a one star when they deserve zero. Our family rented a U-Haul 26ft truck from Bloomington, MN to Colorado and it nearly killed me and my family. They knowingly gave us a truck with faulty breaks that leaked out and could of killed us. After contacting U-Haul they chose to do nothing. I’m deeply disappointed and need to make renters aware. I usually rent from Budget and should have stuck with them. At least they would have not put our lives on the line knowingly. Please be AWARE!!

Original review: June 7, 2022

I called customer service to setup a reservation for my long move. Customer service made the reservations but for the returns she made them for 3 different locations around the same time. That night I spent 3 hours on the phone just to hear, "Call tomorrow." Speak manager and so I did that she had me return all the equipment in 1 place. When I arrived and explained the situation that young lady advised she would credit me back my late fees because obviously this was not my doing, it was HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE that setup the reservation in the first place. My card was never credited back they charged me an additional $100 for their errors!!!! THIS HAS BEEN THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD with ANY moving company!! DO NOT USE UHAUL. THEY ARE TRULY THE WORST!!

Original review: May 28, 2022

We made a reservation at 9 am and so when we went to pick up the truck at 10:30 the contract said we needed to return it by 9 am on Sunday since that is when we made the reservation. The U-Haul store is closed on Sunday!!!! No one told us this but I can assume they don't so they can charge you for another day. "Once checked out I rec'd a text: if you are dropping off the equipment after hours please use your mobile device to verify your equipment return by going to this link: www.uhaul.com/Orders********. Or you can choose to have us verify it for you the next day for a $20 convenience fee." The app does NOT work!!! We spent an hour trying to checkout. As for their $20 convenience fee.... Really??? You can bite me! Never again. Budget Truck Rental is much cheaper! U-Haul gives NO discounts to AAA, AARP, or our proud Military/ Veterans. Pigs!

Original review: May 25, 2022

3.5 weeks prior to moving, made reservations for 20' truck + car transport, < 48 hours prior to pickup they called and canceled! I'd called 3 days prior to check the availability, U-Haul assured me all was fine. Beware of them and never pay up front.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

U-Haul Company Information