1.14/5
  • 1 star
Based on 149 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

793 U-Haul Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

2 times I had issues with u-haul. 1st one I got diverted 30 minutes out of my way to another location. 2nd one to tell me there wasn't any trailers in my area and I would have to drive 1+hour to get the trailer I need. Both calls happen THE DAY BEFORE! U-haul has to understand those that are moving are busy and getting a call 1 day before the move is uncalled for and bad customer service. U-haul does not have any type of inventory system connected to their customer ordering. So when you make a reservation, it doesn't mean squat. You need to call the place you are wanting to get the trailer. U-haul: Please improve your reservation system. Why let customer order on the site when you cannot guarantee availability.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Moved from California to Texas. Upsized vehicles during moving process, left paperwork, documents in personal zipper closing folder of no value to anyone in truck cab. The employees of U-Haul search these trucks very carefully, and I cannot believe they would not even keep this item. The one time I leave an item of no value and gets tossed aside. Be careful to check, since the employees do not seem to empathize with the situation.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I reserved a U-Haul at my nearby location for a day in December. A week before my move date, I received a text and email that the pickup location was now miles away and noticed that U-Haul had the wrong date (6 days before my actual pickup date). I frantically called because we booked 3rd party movers to help us and U-Haul tried to blame me for changing the date. They said they could get a truck on the correct date, and would email me confirmation 24 hours in advance. "So you can't guarantee that the truck will even be in this other location on my move date?" I asked. "No," was the reply. I asked if this is really how they do business and the rep replied yes. I told them I wouldn't be doing business with U-Haul. Moving is stressful enough, but if a huge corporation like U-Haul can't actually confirm truck and location then they have no business making reservations.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Absolutely terrible service! When I stopped in to pick up my U-Haul in the morning, the person at the counter was completely rude and said I had checked in online and would need to figure it out on my phone. She seemed completely put off. I reserved the U-Haul for 8 hours and came back to return the vehicle at 6:30 p.m. at the end of my reservation and my car was locked behind a gate! I had to call U-Haul customer service three different times. They could not get ahold of the people that own this pickup location and therefore U-Haul could do nothing for me.

I live 62 miles from this drop off spot and since I couldn't pick up my car I had to take the U-Haul home incurring another hundred and thirty-five miles in charges along with 2 hours out of my time to return the U-Haul the next day. Suggest renting your moving vehicle from somewhere else, maybe budget? U-Haul said it would take 72 hours before somebody would even get back to me regarding this issue. What a joke!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Dec 2nd I ordered a U-Haul at the Queensway location for pick up (closer to my home) and drop off in Mississauga (closer to my new home). So the night before my move they called me and told me they did not have my truck in stock so I have to go pick it up at the Mississauga location which is out of my way because that is where I'm moving to. So obviously they had to compensate me for that because that was not my fault. Okay so I also ordered two dollies. When I got back home the dollies were not in the truck, so I called and they told me to now drive up to the Queensway location to pick up the dollies and I will be compensated for my personal gas and my time being wasted.

When I got to the U-Haul location they told me that they didn't have any of the dolly that I ordered, so I just took Whatever Dolly that they had left because I didn't want to come back with nothing. When I return my U-Haul at the Mississauga location nobody was there to speak with to get my compensation even though it was noted on file. The next day I got a charge for $36 from U-Haul and when I called they told me it was for the gas and that they are not going to compensate me anything because they compensated me the U-Haul they had me pick up at the Mississauga location. So long story short I wasn't compensated for anything. ** service is horrible. Very unorganized.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

On October 30, I went with my daughter to return a U-Haul truck she had rented in Dallas Texas. The 1-800 number said to return it to some run-down building on the outskirts of town where I live 5 hours away. The guy said that she had extra mileage to pay for??? I paid for it on my credit card-$133. On November 23, I noticed I had 2 more charges from U-Haul, one for $1.77 and one for $3.15, on my pending charges on my credit card. I immediately wrote U-Haul and was told: "Unfortunately, we are not able to discuss a customer's account with a third party as that violate privacy protocols. That person will have to contact us directly to request information on charges on their account."

I'm over here like are you kidding me? You can feel free to charge MY card without permission for God knows what but not tell me why? People, check your credit cards! There is no telling how many people just let these random small charges go and not say anything. I will NEVER recommend this company or use their service EVER!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

They got the destination wrong. The truck had no air conditioner. Heat was on all the Time. Couldn't shut it off. They didn't tell me if I brought it back early I wouldn't get the difference back. Service was bad. Not satisfied. Frustrated with my whole trip. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My mother rented a truck from U-Haul and paid in advance. The reservation was made in Miami but the truck was to be picked up in Jacksonville. When we picked up the truck we didn't have a dolly so I paid for a $12 dolly with my card and U-Haul charged me for the dolly the full rental of the truck $188.32 and when the truck was returned they charged me $49.73 (I never had a rental with them just a dolly). I still have not received my money back and they were paid twice for the truck once from my mom and from myself. When I spoke with the general manager at the Normandy location in Jacksonville about the 2nd transaction that went through my account he advised it was not his problem.

I'm a single mom and cannot afford for a $250 transaction to be taken out of my account for a truck I never rented and tomorrow is Thanksgiving... Nothing for my daughter and I because of their error that has not been corrected. The general manager and others at the cooperate office for U-Haul admitted to the error and I was told that I would have the money replaced by today but it never was. I didn't give a rating with any stars because U-Haul don't deserve any.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

First, It took an Hr and Half just to rent a 10' box truck with a car transport. The woman behind the counter could not figure out to use her own systems and had to write 2 separate contracts after making multiple phone calls to figure out how. Second, The Truck and transport only made it 28 miles from our destination before it broke down. "Mind you, The truck was a 2017." From here we obviously had to call U-Haul and they dispatched a mechanic to come and take a look. The mechanic was over 80 miles from our location and took 2 1/2 hrs to reach us. Now I spoke on the phone with the mechanic shortly after the phone call with U-Haul and explained that the drive shaft was burnt out and how it broke. Even he said that he did not know why he was being sent out but after he called back U-Haul and explained, they said he still had to go out before they would call for any type of Tow or flatbed.

So, After somewhere between 3 and 4 hrs of waiting, showing the mechanic the issue, and the mechanic telling U-Haul it is broken, They finally ordered a Flatbed for the U-Haul and we had to pull our vehicle off the Car transport and drive to our location. They did drop the broken truck off where we needed it so we could unload which by the way, they urged us to stay in the original 1 day time frame, even though we lost time because of their vehicle.

After the truck had been unloaded they sent a Flatbed to pick up this broken truck. I then got a call each day for the next 3 days asking when we were going to drop off the Truck and trailer and had to explain each and every time what happened. I also had a claim in to get a refund on the car transport because we ended up not using it because of the issue. Management is suppose to call me within 4-5 days to go over the issue and refund and possibly discount.

Here is the thing, I have now called 3 times, First time was to set up the claim and have them stop calling about picking up the truck they already picked up. Second call, was to check on status where they told me there was never a claim put in but will do so now! Third call, To check on status for them to say they closed the claim as it was resolved and reopened for me since they DID NOTHING!!! I am still waiting for these people to stop screwing around and fix the problem. Suggestion: it's cheaper to pay friends even twice the price U-Haul charges when it comes to time to move. They don't care about you, me or anyone.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

More than 24 hours after equipment has been returned to U-Haul the $606 hold on my account is still there! This has to be some kind of money making scam that uses unsuspecting customers' money to churn out a profit.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I rented a 6x12 enclosed trailer two months ago for $360. Now less than two months later the same trailer rental from and to the same locations is $822. Talk about gouging the customer! I'm done with U-Haul forever. If this is the way you treat customers, I hope you're out of business soon.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

The company clearly doesn't give a rat's **. I went to rent a trailer, and they couldn't find my reservation. But an employee had called just a few hours earlier... TO CONFIRM! Then they quoted me $85 for a one day 29.99 trailer rental. I called U-Haul themselves, the rep on the phone looked at it, couldn't find the problem, said go ahead and rent it, it'll be sorted out on the return. The woman cashier said the printer wasn't working, I made her write out a receipt, THANK GOD I HAD! When I went to get my refund, holy cripes was I given the runaround. The rep on the phone kept throwing out all sorts of figures, all well above the $32 I always pay!

She kept insisting I had made an $80 credit card deposit. There was no such charge! She fought tooth and nail trying to get me to pay at least double! The clerk finally said "He has a handwritten receipt for $100 cash!" She must have said "$80 deposit, 20 TIMES!" Are they this inept, this retarded, or is it on purpose? I'm strongly leaning toward... On purpose. Don't you dare rent from them without everything in writing, this smacks of pure desperation! I am a regular renter from them, I know how to fill out the forms, and reject all the added fees, this smacked of a pure Con.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I was forced to pay off my boyfriend's debt in order to rent here. I was paying, it was my rental & my move & the debt was debt he incurred before we met, but I was made guilty by association & forced to pay a cost higher than the cost of my rental. We are not married & I am not responsible for his actions now or before we met. This is absolutely illegal to force me to pay a debt I had nothing to do with & that was not attached to me in any way, other than that I am associated with the debtor. What's next? I'll be jailed for speaking with someone guilty of a crime? Do I not live in America???

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Showed up to Wheelz An Dealz in Colorado Springs 15 minutes early. Was informed I was to wait, which is fine but was very rude about it. Waited 15 minutes, went back in and would not help me. Helped 2 other people before me, even though I was there before them. All I needed was help putting my vehicle on a trailer which he did not help. I already paid or I would have left. Moving is already a stressful process and this guy, who is the owner, just makes it tons worse.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I am a bit disappointed with the fuel charge, as the gauge indicated a little above half when I dropped off the truck last night… Add more so, given that I patiently waited over an hour to pick up the truck, due to a system malfunction at the Fargo location. While I am on the matter, perhaps, I should have held onto the truck for those unused allotted days, so to prevent your company from turning around and renting the vehicle (yes, I know it is more likely the vehicle sits on the lot, but the potential is now possible).

I guess there is no room for a corporate giant to share the same understanding or compassion. As you and I know, U-Haul is a major company and does not care whether I use their service again, post a bad review, or express my dissatisfaction on social media and besides $6 is not worth much more than this email. But I will send it regardless, if nothing else but for your death ears too not hear and blind eyes too not see.

I will close with asking if you or anyone working for the company (one that deals with engines and is based in an environment known for daily fluctuating temperatures) ever consider that a gasoline contracts and expands. I returned a warm truck and Milwaukee is cool this time of year in the morning, and the truck I got was sitting in the warm sun of the Fargo location. Pretty crappy to nickel and dime a customer that has spent over $1400 dollar this past month! I will most defiantly try to avoid U-Haul in the future as well as direct friends and family to consider more local and companionate alternatives.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My experience w/ U-haul has been horrible. I have spent large sums of $ renting for weeks to be treated badly by those at location when you go to drop off the equipment. They treat you like you have an endless bank acct. and $ is no object. I rented from one place in Jerome, Idaho, and the location ran my debit card behind my back w/out even letting me know ahead of time. I complained to them about it and told them I was not happy with them pulling that stunt. Unknown to me, they put bad comments about me in the system which I found out the next time I went to rent at U-haul as vindication for addressing their behavior. I would not recommend them, as they charge exorbitant rates per mile and have bad customer service.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

3 times they reinstalled the electrical harness for the hitch. First time, the wires were literally DANGLING under the car. Second time, after about 6 months, I started to get some fused blown and it took another 4-5 months to figure out why. I literally had to spend half a day to isolate the bigger circuits in the car and then micro test everything. The 3rd time, now my stop lights are staying on all the time. Contacted them by email and certified mail. Nothing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

All my items was stolen including my mother's Urn, all my kids' coats and clothes, everything. I was told it was a mystery and it was not covered. The GM never responded to me, and the manager treated me and my husband as crooks! Never use U-Haul!!!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I rented the truck for about 5 hours to move boxes that were covered with wrapping plastic. The next day I check my email and see a cleaning charge + tax. I immediately called their head office. They were not able to find any notes as the reason of this cleaning charge. Therefore, I was promised a refund. Few hours later, manager by name of Kim emails me that "there was sand in the truck". She says, and requested a picture as a proof that I did not use the truck to move sand. After 6 phone calls and number of emails I received $25 refund without the tax.

Their head office gave me the worse customer service experience as if it was my fault that they did not check the truck before renting it and it was my fault that they charged me for cleaning fee and did not ever refund the tax on the refund. My advice to you guys, MAKE SURE you take pictures before, during and after your move and make sure the car is clean before you rent it. Oh and forget about customer service from the management in this company. If any mistake is done, you're on your own unless you're willing to call them a good 6 times at least.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Don't use U-Haul! Terrible customer service, they wrongly accused us of damage, which we had pictures to prove wasn't there when we returned the truck, it's been three weeks and they haven't contacted us or returned our money they charged us, pretty sure it's an insurance scam... We are planning to file an official complaint... Don't use U-Haul, we never will again that's for sure.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I reserved, online, a 6' X 12' utility trailer for 08:00 AM Fri. thru the local U-Haul. Upon arrival I discovered they had no such trailer to rent. Only an enclosed unit was available. Since I needed an open trailer I asked where the closest U-Haul that had one was located and was told "I don't know. Call 1-800-Uhaul." I was connected to another U-Haul 65 mi. away and was able to reserve the correct trailer over the phone. After the 1 1/2 hour drive I arrived to find one of the two units they had was rented out to a customer with no reservation and the other unit needed 3 hrs. of repair, and did I want to wait? No further accommodation was offered. I was involved in securing lumber for a project that was now on hold at $50/hour.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I made reservation to pick up truck, when I arrived at the location I was told the truck was not there. I called the main location in the area and was told they neglected to have the truck available for me and I would have to come to the main U-Haul location. It was 6 miles away, but I had no car or any way to get there. I also was on a schedule. I had to walk the six miles and missed my deadline and had to get a motel. There are other rental companies, USE THEM!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I don't think they understand the concept of the "reservation." I reserved a 20' moving truck almost a month in advance. I live in a small mountain town with two U-Haul dealerships. Three days before my move, they call to change my truck size to a 15'. One day before my scheduled move, they call me to change the location to pickup the now 15' truck to a town over 45 miles away - an hour and a half round trip drive. When I called to see why, I was told that some people make reservations 3 months in advance (really?), which still doesn't explain why they accepted my reservation if they were unable to fulfill it. The CEO of this company should take his multi-million dollar parachute and resign/retire already. This has to be one of the worst run companies in America. Reviews are absolutely horrible.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I had a hitch installed and within weeks it began rusting. Since I did not pay the $5 warranty U-Haul refused to do anything about it. The guy from U-Haul actually told me I must have backed into something! The day the hitch was installed my son was in an life threatening accident so instead of going on vacation I spent two weeks straight in the hospital caring for my son and then two months caring for him at home. My car was driven very minimal and there is absolutely no way I backed into something. If U-Haul was a reputable company they should have repair or replaced the hitch. I will not do business with this company in the future.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Just wanted to let people know of my latest experience with U-Haul. I want to start by saying over the past 3 years I have rented a truck from U-Haul 6 times. I have always had good service until my last move. Which happens to be the biggest one. I rented a truck in Tennessee to move to Florida, had people fly from Florida just to help with the drive. We get just south of Chattanooga and the truck makes a loud pop and dies in the middle of a very busy interstate. We get the truck to the shoulder of the interstate and contact U-Haul. I was told I would receive a call from the repair guy within 30 minutes. We sit for an hour with no phone call, so I call them back and sit on hold.

While on hold I finally get a call from the guy who says he is on his way. Another hour and a half goes by before I receive another call from him asking me where I was again and that he is on his way. He gets there half an hour later and checks out the truck. Apparently the transmission had overheated and it had time to cool off so we were able to get back on the road after sitting on the interstate for 3 hours. We were told that it would keep doing this and that we needed to stop when the engine started feeling sluggish. This happened every 120 - 140 miles, so that meant we had to stop for at least an hour to let the transmission cool off. We left TN early because we wanted to be in Florida the same day.

With all the delays at about 2:30 am we finally decided we would have to stop and get a hotel. We slept for 4 hours and got back on the road to start it all over with the same problems. Needless to say due to the truck we were delayed by about 10 hours had extra fuel cost and had to spend money on the hotel. The extra cost added 25% more of the original cost so instead of costing me $900 I came out spending a little over $1200 to rent from U-Haul. This does not even begin to include the extra time for the 3 of us in the truck.

After it was all done and I had taken the truck back I called U-Haul and filed a complaint. I was told that I would receive a call within 48 hours. I never receive a call. I did however get an email from Greg ** telling me they would be reimbursing my credit card $150.00 for the inconvenience. I respond to the email letting him know this did not even cover the extra cost for me and that it was not acceptable. I did not hear back from him so I called and left another complaint.

I was told at this time that they would forward my complaint to his boss and I would get a call within 48 hours. I still have never received that call, but did get another email from Mr. ** letting me know that they have already credited my card for the $150.00 and that is all they would be crediting, "This is not a negotiation process." All I was asking for was for them to reimburse my extra cost due to them giving me a truck for a long drive that obviously had not been properly maintained.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Back in August my husband and kids had a hitch put on our 2011 Kia Sportage. This was done at the 451 Sunrise Hwy West Babylon NY location. Not only did they not check the work of a new employee, they put the lines around my fuel lines, my muffler and they almost set my car on fire. The trailer they game my disabled husband the lights did not work the entire way down to Florida. They had been flickering, going out. When he arrived here in the Florida the U-Haul was beside themselves saying they never saw such a mess in all the time they have worked at U-Haul... All hitches are to be inspected and this place did not do so. An 18 hour trip turned in 28 hours, and my husband almost ran out of medication because they failed to have someone do their job correctly.

This was a nightmare from prior to, when a nasty lady was trying to make us pick up the trailer from another location, when we had been told it would be in West Babylon, she wanted us to drive out of our way to pick it up. NEW YORK U-Haul really needs to get new people and new management. They hang up on you, because they did not even want to deal with the issue. One woman that I called at 6am told me I could not report the problem because I was not on the account. Well they spoke with me when I was on the credit card. Yes.... Someone truly needs to go in and check on this company before a life is lost due to mismanagement.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I scheduled an appointment to have a hitch receiver installed on my car. I chose the earliest available date on their website, it accepted and charged me right away. The day before the installation I received a call from the location saying that it's not available yet. They rescheduled it and the day before the installation I received another call saying that it's still unavailable. This same thing repeated 5 times. It's been almost month and I'm still waiting. Customer service has no clue. They keep telling me that it's available but the location says the opposite. I had to cancel my vacation after rescheduling 3 times. Worst customer service experience in my life.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Well I am disabled. I let U-Haul know that I needed a 20 ft truck one way. U-Haul told me that the place that I was going didnt have storage but they had storage 30 miles away. I get to the unit. It was half the size of the truck and I didnt get my truck on time from U-Haul because of the outdated computers and the storage place was closed. I was given extra miles but not some monies back because they broke my contract when I couldnt get my truck on time. I think they set me up so they could overcharge me. Then I turn my truck in on time and they want to say I kept it an extra day, bad business. I called for someone to help me and all I got from U-Haul customer services was disconnected or transferred then disconnected. Now they are threatening me with a 143.00 bill which has no merits. Then I never got my receipt after paying them 175.00 dollars off my debit card which it took the monies but couldnt print out me a receipt.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I made my reservation online August 9th, and used a credit card to secure it. My move was scheduled for August 26th so I assumed that was far enough in advance. I received a call 2 days before the move to tell me they did not have the 26' truck I requested and would give me a 16' truck. Things only got worse from there. What I've discovered is that the customer service model seems to be "take as long as possible to respond, and only respond with 1-2 sentence emails". It's absolutely amazing how many hoops you need to jump through to get half answers. I will absolutely never use this company again, and I want to make sure no one else has to go through all of the mess I'm still going through with this company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I ordered a flat panel TV box online because I was moving. I paid with my credit card (which has a substantial amount of money on it), and the website gave me a "declined" error message. On the other hand, the credit card app said the purchase was approved, then reversed. I (being silly) tried again three times: each time, declined. The credit card app again said the purchases were approved, then reversed. Given up on the credit card, I completed the purchase with my debit card.

One day later, I canceled the order, because I figured out another way to pack my TV. It was a holiday weekend, so I knew that these charges would eventually be credited. A small voice inside me said to contact customer service to make sure the charges will be credited. Lo and behold, I check my app again, and found that the charges were pending and not reversed! First, I called U-Haul's 800-number. They gave me the runaround. Then, I called the local store. I was placed on hold for more than ten minutes each time I called, which was twice. Then, I called the credit card company. The person on the line ensured me that the charges were reversed on my card. He also informed me to call in a few days if these charges aren't credited, given that today is a bank holiday.

I also called U-Haul's customer service again. They finally transferred me to another customer service division. The woman I spoke to was very condescending after I explained the situation. She told me that she would file an action claim, and I should hear something back from the manager in 3-5 business days. I did not hesitate to tell her that this was unacceptable. I canceled the order online. Who would deliberately make charges four consecutive times for the same product? She replied to me, "I'm trying to help you. Do you want me to help you, or not?" UNACCEPTABLE! I explained that I never experienced this before. Usually, if this is a technical error (which it was), I would get assurance that the money would be credited back to my card. Not the case with this lady! For some "strange" reason, the call was disconnected.

After calling the local store, and finally speaking to a live person, a man named Jeff was able to issue a refund to my debit card. He was very helpful. Back to the national customer service: was given the runaround until another condescending lady told me to call the Buyers Club line tomorrow, since they may be closed today. U-Haul, please improve your customer service, and your website.

U-Haul Company Information