1.10/5
Based on 147 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

U-Haul

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 12, 2018

805 U-Haul Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I selected a moving truck online for the local U-Haul location. The day to pick it up arrived. I went there, and already trouble started. They claimed they didn't find my payment on file. They also didn't have the size truck I requested. I went to another U-Haul location where they gave me the necessary size truck. The truck broke down within 15 minutes of driving it. I called their roadside assistance. The mechanic came out and couldn't figure out what was wrong with the truck. They also would not switch trucks so it would not happen again. The truck randomly started working again, figured it was an overheating problem. Went ahead and loaded up the truck.

The next day I drove for about an hour and a half (out of a 6-hour move) and it was acting strange. Pulled over for a bit. Went back on the road and it completely broke down. Took roadside assistance 4 hours to finally come out to tow me the rest of the way. That night, the tow company towed it to an undisclosed location. I called customer service the next day and they said they didn't know where the truck was and I would be liable for it disappearing. They finally found the truck a day later. Morons. I also requested a refund since it didn't run for very long. The woman was very nasty and was yelling and said I would only receive a partial refund. I agreed. Then I did a chargeback once the refund came through. 6 months later, they sent a collection agency after me for 90 bucks. Talk about petty and garbage service. Will never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I used the U-Haul website to reserve a cargo moving van yesterday around 1:00 pm in the afternoon. They said that it would be somewhat close to my home (3 miles away... Remember they charge by the mile). I confirmed my reservation last night at 8 pm and again they gave me the same address for pick-up. Today my husband and oldest son went to go pick it up. Not only does the pick-up site not have our van, but they are not even open today. Now we have to pick up our van miles away, in a totally different city. U-Haul is fluffing their pockets with their customers' money and causing their customers larger fees for longer rentals by moving their rentals away and offering fake pick up locations.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

The vehicles are not maintained, we have had one that was low on oil, and this one wouldn't start the day to return it, causing a call to the roadside via U-Haul, who called a tow truck to return it. Then U-Haul proceeds to charge the fuel charge when we couldn't get it to a gas station to put the gas in it. Lost a customer for unauthorised charges. WTH U-Haul.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have rented U-Haul trucks at least 100 times the last 25 years. I just went in Monday to rent a 8 foot truck and was informed that I would need to give a phone number of somebody who could verify who I was. What? You want to call somebody to verify who I am after I give you my license and credit card? I laughed and asked if they were kidding. I’m 63 and said, "I’m not giving you anybody’s phone number to ask permission to rent a truck." They refused to rent me a truck. Lol. I drove down the street and rented at another place. Too much invasion of privacy. ** this company. Leave your left nut for the keys next.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I went in to the U-Haul store in Hattiesburg, Ms to rent a truck to move 90 miles away. The lady told me it would be 29.95 to rent the truck and .40 a mile. So I made sure the fuel was more than when I left Hattiesburg. I dropped the truck off. Ask about my refund the girl told me that it would not be charged to my account. And I looked on my account. They charge me a total of $150.44. The lady told me that it was supposed to be a flat fee. The lady when I picked it up told me that it would be 29.95 and $0.40 a mile. Not a flat fee. But it was supposed to be a flat fee. The lady in Hattiesburg lied to me. So when I called U-Haul they didn't want to refund me my extra money. When I called them they said it was a flat fee! NOBODY TOLD ME THAT! I'M SO MAD! WHY LIE TO ME ABOUT THE COST! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM! THEY ARE LIARS!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

U-Haul rental del Monte Ave Monterey CA 93940 - I rented a truck 1/12/2018. I included insurance coverage $14 to cover for damages. When we returned the truck, we were told that we broke the drivers compartment. We explained we do not vandalize and it might have been broken before we rented because it was an old U-Haul truck. Today, 1/18/2018, I rented again another truck. The representative, “Mr. **," told me that It is required that provide a secondary phone number that they have to call to verify. And they also have to call the bank verify my credit card because they have a new system. I just rented 6 days ago, and I have to go to such long process?

Since I have to wait long, I have to use the restroom. Gush, it has broken doors and somebody opened while I was inside the restroom. I told Representative “Mr. **” that the restroom has unsafe doors and one of their employees opened it while I was inside. The worst conclusion of the day, I was charged $20 for cleaning fee. I asked if I just clean it myself, and the representative said no because I was already charged. I could have forgotten about the questionable verification process. I could have forgotten about the restroom incident. But with the cleaning fee added insult to injury.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have had the worst experience with the PIEDMONT RD location in Atlanta GA. For months their payment system showed my account as delinquent when month to month my bank was making payments scheduled on time. My checks were being misplaced and no one made efforts to solve this in a timely manner. I got bombarded with emails, letters, calls about my payments being delayed in a DAILY BASIS. Meanwhile the store manager Tim would tell me I was OK. Never an honest apology and just not making efforts to follow up with. Didn't care how annoyed I was with their automatic service sending those letters.

4 months with the same issue. I escalated to customer service, regional manager and all I got was put on hold, pushed behind, not able to access my storage... absolutely no interest to the customers. Not to mention the staff in the front desk, sometime people who don't even work there, behind the desk unhelpful, eating. Unpleasant and so unprofessional. Just the worst!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I booked to rent a 'Vacationer' trailer, a small trailer for luggage, for 3 weeks. I could not find one near me but I really needed a small trailer so I decided to pick one up 150 km away. On the day of the pick up, it was not available. They had sent it for servicing the day before and did not bother to inform their customer that it was not available anymore. That, after I had paid and booed it.

So their solution was to give me a larger, uncovered cage trailer for the same price. I told them that it was not a discount for me because I did not need a uncovered trailer and a bigger one. I needed a small COVERED one. I asked to return it closer to home because I could have booked a caged trailer near home and they refused! They kept insisting that they had rented the larger trailer for a smaller price and that was their incentive for their mistake. It was not an incentive to me because it was a more difficult with a larger trailer and a uncovered one. I don't understand how a company can take my money and promise me a service and go back on their word. And then not compensate me on not honouring their agreement. I'm sure they'd charge me more if I breached the agreement.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I feel that I was coerced into location of pick up and drop off, because it was far from both my move out location and move in, when I had objected to this the lady I spoke with when I called the 800 number to set up my reservation would not listen to me and told me to talk to the man that will be calling me he can change it, when I did he said that the place that is the most convenient didn't have what I wanted, when I got the truck it was dusty old and chugged bumpily, I read the agreement. I was not ever told they were going to charge me by the mileage, I brought the truck back with more gas than it was given to me, and the guy says it is $151. And something cents. I am disabled. I live on social security. The move itself wiped me away so I still owe $51. It was a in town move. I was charged .99 a mile. Why didn't they tell me this in the First place.

I left there feeling so ugly like I walked away from a den of thieves, I felt hopeless cause my finances just barely support me and my 6 yr. old. I had to move because my apt wall was caving in... This whole business transaction was totally a way of squeezing money from the poor. They treated men with bank cards like gold. They treated my disability card like it was garbage and me like I was less. Why? because I am a woman? Disabled? A minority? It was very dishonorable and dishonest and very misleading. I felt inadequate used and betrayed and gross. Moving is stressful, being treated like I am less because of my gender, financial status, disability race whatever was something I really didn't need. I would have loved to have been treated like the 2 customers in front of me, bank cards, wallet full of money, men, Anglo square on IDK whatever it was...

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I made an appointment on 12/21 to have a trailer hitch installed on the morning of 12/28 at 8AM. Walked in right before 8AM the morning of the 28th and was told that the installer doesn't arrive until between 8:45 and 9AM. Why then would you make an appointment for 8AM? I returned at 9AM to talk directly to Christopher **, the General Manager, who told me the part hadn't arrived. Why wouldn't the guy I spoke to earlier tell me that? The part was scheduled to arrive later that afternoon. When I asked if someone could install it the next morning, Christopher told me yes and that he has someone in as early as 7AM. I then asked if an installer would be in at 7AM because I was told an installer would be here this morning at 8AM and was not. Christopher responded in a very sarcastic tone "Well, tomorrow is a different day". That's when I decided to cancel the order and never deal with this company again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I attempted to rent a U-Haul and the experience was extremely poor. I did everything that I was told through the application but I had no access to the keys so I contacted the representative that night and they told me they would call me back to assist and they never did. The reservation was cancelled and was told that I would get a full refund but they only refunded me half of what I was charge. I called back again and they said they were going to process the refund again and y’all never did. Now I’m being told that half of what I’m only suppose. I transferred to a voicemail of Earl, account manager. I’m extremely upset that I had to waste time to handle this issue when I spent 3 hours in the dark that night trying to get a service and that never happened.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Worst moving experience ever! Used U-Haul to do a coast to coast move and was given the worst truck possible. Truck would not got over 60, I had to keep heat on blast due to door not sealing so there was a constant breeze that felt like and sounded like a wind tunnel. Took 3 hours to get U-Haul at pickup so rushed away without checking contract which said gas was on full (it was not) so upon returning was told I would be charged 112.00. Ended up having 142.00 directly taken out of my account despite me being in the process of disputing the fuel amount.

And dealing with customer service was another nightmare in itself. Over 5 hours on the phone with multiple reps, told management would call me back. They never did. Finally would not get off phone until speaking with management only to be told they would look into it and call me back, they still haven't. All around worst experience ever dealing with a business that I paid over 2 grand to use their service and be treated like crap the entire time. Would not recommend using U-Haul.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

2 times I had issues with u-haul. 1st one I got diverted 30 minutes out of my way to another location. 2nd one to tell me there wasn't any trailers in my area and I would have to drive 1+hour to get the trailer I need. Both calls happen THE DAY BEFORE! U-haul has to understand those that are moving are busy and getting a call 1 day before the move is uncalled for and bad customer service. U-haul does not have any type of inventory system connected to their customer ordering. So when you make a reservation, it doesn't mean squat. You need to call the place you are wanting to get the trailer. U-haul: Please improve your reservation system. Why let customer order on the site when you cannot guarantee availability.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Moved from California to Texas. Upsized vehicles during moving process, left paperwork, documents in personal zipper closing folder of no value to anyone in truck cab. The employees of U-Haul search these trucks very carefully, and I cannot believe they would not even keep this item. The one time I leave an item of no value and gets tossed aside. Be careful to check, since the employees do not seem to empathize with the situation.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I reserved a U-Haul at my nearby location for a day in December. A week before my move date, I received a text and email that the pickup location was now miles away and noticed that U-Haul had the wrong date (6 days before my actual pickup date). I frantically called because we booked 3rd party movers to help us and U-Haul tried to blame me for changing the date. They said they could get a truck on the correct date, and would email me confirmation 24 hours in advance. "So you can't guarantee that the truck will even be in this other location on my move date?" I asked. "No," was the reply. I asked if this is really how they do business and the rep replied yes. I told them I wouldn't be doing business with U-Haul. Moving is stressful enough, but if a huge corporation like U-Haul can't actually confirm truck and location then they have no business making reservations.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Absolutely terrible service! When I stopped in to pick up my U-Haul in the morning, the person at the counter was completely rude and said I had checked in online and would need to figure it out on my phone. She seemed completely put off. I reserved the U-Haul for 8 hours and came back to return the vehicle at 6:30 p.m. at the end of my reservation and my car was locked behind a gate! I had to call U-Haul customer service three different times. They could not get ahold of the people that own this pickup location and therefore U-Haul could do nothing for me.

I live 62 miles from this drop off spot and since I couldn't pick up my car I had to take the U-Haul home incurring another hundred and thirty-five miles in charges along with 2 hours out of my time to return the U-Haul the next day. Suggest renting your moving vehicle from somewhere else, maybe budget? U-Haul said it would take 72 hours before somebody would even get back to me regarding this issue. What a joke!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Dec 2nd I ordered a U-Haul at the Queensway location for pick up (closer to my home) and drop off in Mississauga (closer to my new home). So the night before my move they called me and told me they did not have my truck in stock so I have to go pick it up at the Mississauga location which is out of my way because that is where I'm moving to. So obviously they had to compensate me for that because that was not my fault. Okay so I also ordered two dollies. When I got back home the dollies were not in the truck, so I called and they told me to now drive up to the Queensway location to pick up the dollies and I will be compensated for my personal gas and my time being wasted.

When I got to the U-Haul location they told me that they didn't have any of the dolly that I ordered, so I just took Whatever Dolly that they had left because I didn't want to come back with nothing. When I return my U-Haul at the Mississauga location nobody was there to speak with to get my compensation even though it was noted on file. The next day I got a charge for $36 from U-Haul and when I called they told me it was for the gas and that they are not going to compensate me anything because they compensated me the U-Haul they had me pick up at the Mississauga location. So long story short I wasn't compensated for anything. ** service is horrible. Very unorganized.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

On October 30, I went with my daughter to return a U-Haul truck she had rented in Dallas Texas. The 1-800 number said to return it to some run-down building on the outskirts of town where I live 5 hours away. The guy said that she had extra mileage to pay for??? I paid for it on my credit card-$133. On November 23, I noticed I had 2 more charges from U-Haul, one for $1.77 and one for $3.15, on my pending charges on my credit card. I immediately wrote U-Haul and was told: "Unfortunately, we are not able to discuss a customer's account with a third party as that violate privacy protocols. That person will have to contact us directly to request information on charges on their account."

I'm over here like are you kidding me? You can feel free to charge MY card without permission for God knows what but not tell me why? People, check your credit cards! There is no telling how many people just let these random small charges go and not say anything. I will NEVER recommend this company or use their service EVER!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

They got the destination wrong. The truck had no air conditioner. Heat was on all the Time. Couldn't shut it off. They didn't tell me if I brought it back early I wouldn't get the difference back. Service was bad. Not satisfied. Frustrated with my whole trip. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My mother rented a truck from U-Haul and paid in advance. The reservation was made in Miami but the truck was to be picked up in Jacksonville. When we picked up the truck we didn't have a dolly so I paid for a $12 dolly with my card and U-Haul charged me for the dolly the full rental of the truck $188.32 and when the truck was returned they charged me $49.73 (I never had a rental with them just a dolly). I still have not received my money back and they were paid twice for the truck once from my mom and from myself. When I spoke with the general manager at the Normandy location in Jacksonville about the 2nd transaction that went through my account he advised it was not his problem.

I'm a single mom and cannot afford for a $250 transaction to be taken out of my account for a truck I never rented and tomorrow is Thanksgiving... Nothing for my daughter and I because of their error that has not been corrected. The general manager and others at the cooperate office for U-Haul admitted to the error and I was told that I would have the money replaced by today but it never was. I didn't give a rating with any stars because U-Haul don't deserve any.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

First, It took an Hr and Half just to rent a 10' box truck with a car transport. The woman behind the counter could not figure out to use her own systems and had to write 2 separate contracts after making multiple phone calls to figure out how. Second, The Truck and transport only made it 28 miles from our destination before it broke down. "Mind you, The truck was a 2017." From here we obviously had to call U-Haul and they dispatched a mechanic to come and take a look. The mechanic was over 80 miles from our location and took 2 1/2 hrs to reach us. Now I spoke on the phone with the mechanic shortly after the phone call with U-Haul and explained that the drive shaft was burnt out and how it broke. Even he said that he did not know why he was being sent out but after he called back U-Haul and explained, they said he still had to go out before they would call for any type of Tow or flatbed.

So, After somewhere between 3 and 4 hrs of waiting, showing the mechanic the issue, and the mechanic telling U-Haul it is broken, They finally ordered a Flatbed for the U-Haul and we had to pull our vehicle off the Car transport and drive to our location. They did drop the broken truck off where we needed it so we could unload which by the way, they urged us to stay in the original 1 day time frame, even though we lost time because of their vehicle.

After the truck had been unloaded they sent a Flatbed to pick up this broken truck. I then got a call each day for the next 3 days asking when we were going to drop off the Truck and trailer and had to explain each and every time what happened. I also had a claim in to get a refund on the car transport because we ended up not using it because of the issue. Management is suppose to call me within 4-5 days to go over the issue and refund and possibly discount.

Here is the thing, I have now called 3 times, First time was to set up the claim and have them stop calling about picking up the truck they already picked up. Second call, was to check on status where they told me there was never a claim put in but will do so now! Third call, To check on status for them to say they closed the claim as it was resolved and reopened for me since they DID NOTHING!!! I am still waiting for these people to stop screwing around and fix the problem. Suggestion: it's cheaper to pay friends even twice the price U-Haul charges when it comes to time to move. They don't care about you, me or anyone.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

More than 24 hours after equipment has been returned to U-Haul the $606 hold on my account is still there! This has to be some kind of money making scam that uses unsuspecting customers' money to churn out a profit.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I rented a 6x12 enclosed trailer two months ago for $360. Now less than two months later the same trailer rental from and to the same locations is $822. Talk about gouging the customer! I'm done with U-Haul forever. If this is the way you treat customers, I hope you're out of business soon.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

The company clearly doesn't give a rat's **. I went to rent a trailer, and they couldn't find my reservation. But an employee had called just a few hours earlier... TO CONFIRM! Then they quoted me $85 for a one day 29.99 trailer rental. I called U-Haul themselves, the rep on the phone looked at it, couldn't find the problem, said go ahead and rent it, it'll be sorted out on the return. The woman cashier said the printer wasn't working, I made her write out a receipt, THANK GOD I HAD! When I went to get my refund, holy cripes was I given the runaround. The rep on the phone kept throwing out all sorts of figures, all well above the $32 I always pay!

She kept insisting I had made an $80 credit card deposit. There was no such charge! She fought tooth and nail trying to get me to pay at least double! The clerk finally said "He has a handwritten receipt for $100 cash!" She must have said "$80 deposit, 20 TIMES!" Are they this inept, this retarded, or is it on purpose? I'm strongly leaning toward... On purpose. Don't you dare rent from them without everything in writing, this smacks of pure desperation! I am a regular renter from them, I know how to fill out the forms, and reject all the added fees, this smacked of a pure Con.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I was forced to pay off my boyfriend's debt in order to rent here. I was paying, it was my rental & my move & the debt was debt he incurred before we met, but I was made guilty by association & forced to pay a cost higher than the cost of my rental. We are not married & I am not responsible for his actions now or before we met. This is absolutely illegal to force me to pay a debt I had nothing to do with & that was not attached to me in any way, other than that I am associated with the debtor. What's next? I'll be jailed for speaking with someone guilty of a crime? Do I not live in America???

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Showed up to Wheelz An Dealz in Colorado Springs 15 minutes early. Was informed I was to wait, which is fine but was very rude about it. Waited 15 minutes, went back in and would not help me. Helped 2 other people before me, even though I was there before them. All I needed was help putting my vehicle on a trailer which he did not help. I already paid or I would have left. Moving is already a stressful process and this guy, who is the owner, just makes it tons worse.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I am a bit disappointed with the fuel charge, as the gauge indicated a little above half when I dropped off the truck last night… Add more so, given that I patiently waited over an hour to pick up the truck, due to a system malfunction at the Fargo location. While I am on the matter, perhaps, I should have held onto the truck for those unused allotted days, so to prevent your company from turning around and renting the vehicle (yes, I know it is more likely the vehicle sits on the lot, but the potential is now possible).

I guess there is no room for a corporate giant to share the same understanding or compassion. As you and I know, U-Haul is a major company and does not care whether I use their service again, post a bad review, or express my dissatisfaction on social media and besides $6 is not worth much more than this email. But I will send it regardless, if nothing else but for your death ears too not hear and blind eyes too not see.

I will close with asking if you or anyone working for the company (one that deals with engines and is based in an environment known for daily fluctuating temperatures) ever consider that a gasoline contracts and expands. I returned a warm truck and Milwaukee is cool this time of year in the morning, and the truck I got was sitting in the warm sun of the Fargo location. Pretty crappy to nickel and dime a customer that has spent over $1400 dollar this past month! I will most defiantly try to avoid U-Haul in the future as well as direct friends and family to consider more local and companionate alternatives.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My experience w/ U-haul has been horrible. I have spent large sums of $ renting for weeks to be treated badly by those at location when you go to drop off the equipment. They treat you like you have an endless bank acct. and $ is no object. I rented from one place in Jerome, Idaho, and the location ran my debit card behind my back w/out even letting me know ahead of time. I complained to them about it and told them I was not happy with them pulling that stunt. Unknown to me, they put bad comments about me in the system which I found out the next time I went to rent at U-haul as vindication for addressing their behavior. I would not recommend them, as they charge exorbitant rates per mile and have bad customer service.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

3 times they reinstalled the electrical harness for the hitch. First time, the wires were literally DANGLING under the car. Second time, after about 6 months, I started to get some fused blown and it took another 4-5 months to figure out why. I literally had to spend half a day to isolate the bigger circuits in the car and then micro test everything. The 3rd time, now my stop lights are staying on all the time. Contacted them by email and certified mail. Nothing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

All my items was stolen including my mother's Urn, all my kids' coats and clothes, everything. I was told it was a mystery and it was not covered. The GM never responded to me, and the manager treated me and my husband as crooks! Never use U-Haul!!!

U-Haul Company Information

www.uhaul.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use