2.5/5 (165 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Top U-Haul Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best cu...

Verified

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpfu...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
    • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
    • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
    10-foot $1,350
    15-foot $1,400
    20-foot $1,700
    26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
    • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
    • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
    For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
    Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
    Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
    How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
    A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
    Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
    No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: May 13, 2022

I’ve used Uhaul many times in my life and now, all I wanted was a bike hitch attached to my car. I call customer service and they book me for an appointment, where I paid the deposit and the overnight fee for the hitch cause they were out. Well, I get a call from the person the morning of the appointment, the one who would have done the install. He states the over night part never arrived and then, goes on and on and on, "Well, you just got the appointment yesterday and I wouldn’t have had time for you anyway." He also states customer service does not see his schedule. Oh really. And on and on and on. Like he was shocked I called and got an appointment without his permission or something.

Then he goes on to say, "Well, I can’t do it Thursday cause I’m off and I’m totally booked on Friday." And on and on and on again about my appointment and his schedule. Like I ruined his week. Well, he then states we may do Saturday, pending if the part was there and if I don’t hear from him on Friday stating the part was not there, he would call and let me know. Now mind you, I was supposed to leave Friday. So ok, Saturday morning now. Of course it's Friday now and lo and behold, Uhaul is calling but it isn’t him. Oh no, it's someone else claiming that he is off for five days cause he has covid now.

Well I’m sorry if he does have covid but after dealing with him, I highly doubt it. He and their customer service department (MANCHESTER CONNECTICUT facility) are just liars, making promises they cannot keep just to overcharge me. He was an ** to me and I knew when he stated that a overnight part might not make it three days later, yeah, this appointment was not going to happen. Oh do I get my money back, oh sure, in about a week or so. So no, I don’t trust you with my car now or any type of installation on my car.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Simply put, We tried to rent a truck for 3 days to assist in our moving to a new home. Made a reservation about a week out, was told that there was no issue truck was available. Got an email telling me my pickup location had changed to another city so I called and got my pickup location changed back to near my home and told them that I would require the truck for 3 days. Thought we were all on the same page at that point. Picked up the truck and noticed the reservation was for one day again, called later that day and was told the truck is not available for the 3 days I need it. Basically making it so I am just wasting my money and time by renting their truck as I am not able to fulfill the work I need to complete since they make it so difficult to schedule your own return dates. I will never use them again.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2022

Zero stars if I could - U-Haul has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I requested a specific location for picking up a 10 foot truck and they didn't bother to call and ask me if there was another location that I could pick it up at - they decided that they knew best and chose a location that I didn't want. They put their mistake on me, the customer! They sent me to a location that I would not have chosen and after the fact it has completely screwed up my plans for using their truck. If you want good service - DON'T USE U-Haul!!!

Original review: April 1, 2022

The U-haul driver put my neighbors boxes on my property and when I called them (which was 5 times due to getting disconnected and transferred to numbers that were no longer in service) I finally get a number for traffic and the women would not even talk to me. Her receptionist said it would be Monday before they would pick them up and was very rude and hung up on me. So for a week I had to look at my neighbors boxes on my property and U-haul acted like I was the problem. Very disappointing and frustrating. And to make matters worse it rained and the area under the pallets has a sunk and now we have to fix our property.

Original review: March 14, 2022

With U-haul, my experience over the years it is hard to get a straight answer from anyone-they are just like the staff at a major airline. The story always changes even when something appears to be straightforward. I needed a standard U-box to ship w/in the US less than miles. Easy. The female rep at this location who assisted in setting up this need for me, who stated “I have been doing this for over 10 years” said my U-box would be delivered to the exact site I wanted.

I ordered this move about 2 weeks in advance total for the box drop off then re-picked up in town to be shipped. In the interim, she got me connected with a peer in international shipping to see if the, U-haul, could be competitive overall to ship my items directly to their final destination in Central America (my online research said there was no way would they be) so I would not have to us another shipper at a major US hub to ship to Central American. I said, "Okay, give it try but hurry."

First, they couldn’t get any answers from their international shipping partners. Finally, just before it had to be decided if it would go direct with U-Haul all the way or split shipping, I finally, after much pestering via VMs/e-mail and with my U-box being filled up, got an answer and the quote was insane-almost double what it would be between using the U-box + the international direct shipper! What a joke! And then here was the kicker at the same time-I learned from the manager, Erik **, at the Coors location that I still needed to give them the address of where it was going to be shipped. I said I already had given them that. No, he said, the U-haul location in the nearest major city. WTH?

In short, I fought with them but they would not budge on their original verbal promise by the rep I trusted because she had been “doing this for over 10 years”. This screwed up everything. I was battling with the location manager even on the phone while driving through Mexico to Central America. I asked to speak with the woman who lured me in to start at this location but naturally now she was out on the road every time I called in. I escalated it to the Regional Manager, Tom ** via phone and e-mail. Naturally, no response.

In the end I had to spend hours managing U-haul's project here and I had to pay my international shipping company almost $500 extra to drive 30 miles to the U-haul location where my stuff ended up, unload it, reload it into their truck, drive back 30 miles and unload it into a larger shipping container to be sent via sea. In conclusion, this was a total fiasco at a time I didn’t need it as I was permanently relocating and retiring overseas and these items represented the remainder of my personal effects. But then again, U-haul is a typical American corporation-always promising pie in the sky and rarely delivering.

Original review: March 8, 2022

Oh boy...where to begin....We reserved a truck weeks in advance and when my girlfriend went to go pick it up, there was no truck in sight. The local Uhaul rep was not to blame for this, as the truck was dropped off in a completely different location. However, we were then advised by Uhaul's "Customer Support" to drive over 50 miles away to pick up a truck at that location. Little did we know this is where the screwing would begin.

Originally it was going to cost us around $85. No big deal. We were moving to a different home in town so mileage wouldn't be a deal breaker anyway. However, since we had to drive to get it from another location and didn't want to drive it all the way back to turn it in, it was going to cost over $180!!!! They tried to excuse the fact and give "extra mileage" on the truck, even though that does us no good since again we were moving in town. Fine. We take the screwing and start moving.

When it came time to turn in the truck, we were told to turn it in by 6. 4:40 was approaching and I called the Uhaul location we were turning it in to and was told they closed at 5. I asked if we need to make 2 more trips to the new house, would it be ok to turn it in after 6. The rep said it was fine and they don't check the vehicles in until the next morning anyway. No problem. We ended up taking the Uhaul back at around 11 PM that same night....only to find out...WE WERE CHARGED FOR AN ENTIRE EXTRA DAY!!! Another $59.40, making this "local move" cost almost $250. My God Almighty I was livid. We were told there would no extra charge since we had it back that night...but nooo....let's screw a little more.

I called Uhaul while in a very livid state of mind, and found out I would be on hold for about 20 minutes. I took the callback option...and 2 hours later...got a call back saying that even if it's 15 minutes after 6 PM, they charge you for an entire extra day!!! To hell with that. Had we known that...we WOULD have kept it for an extra day. This is the BIGGEST scam in the moving industry...ever...hands down. Uhaul...you can haul your ** straight to hell for this kind of crap. Gas is already insanely high and it cost us over $40 to fill it back to the half-empty tank it already was...which again...wouldn't have been necessary HAD IT BEEN IN THE RIGHT LOCATION TO BEGIN WITH!!!! Hands down the WORST company I have ever had the "pleasure" of dealing with.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2022

If you are looking for a truck rental service, do NOT use U-Haul. I rented a $20 truck for a quick furniture pick up and Uhaul overcharged me. Over $200 in charges on my account for what was advertised as a $20 truck, and I only drove it a short distance from my home!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

This is the second time we've used UHaul within the past year. BOTH experiences were TERRIBLE. We relocated from PA to SC in July. In PA we had a uhaul truck rented (email confirmation to prove) with a pick up location 10 minutes from our house. We got to the uhaul store, where the store manager was completely RUDE and DEGRADING and said there was no truck for us there and we had to drive AN HOUR to get the truck and AN HOUR back. No additional miles were added. It put a 2 hour delay on our move which was a burden when we were driving 9-10 hours that day after loading the truck.

This past weekend we rented a uhaul to load everything from our storage unit on beaver run road in surfside, SC. My email confirmed that the truck was to be picked up at the storage facility location and dropped off later that day in Myrtle Beach, SC. My fiance went to pick up the truck with the email confirmation and AGAIN was told there was no truck for him there. He had to drive 30 minutes to myrtle beach to pick up the truck, 30 minutes back to the storage unit. Then for drop off he went to the location on the email and it made him go BACK to surfside to drop off the truck. ANOTHER 30 minutes EACH WAY. Uhaul has been a terrible service, and instead of your employees be helpful and kind, they were rude and arrogant. I will never recommend uhaul to anyone and will never use them again. We are extremely disappointed with both experiences.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

One of my most horrible experience at moving was with Uhaul. I book a van over the phone with 2300 John st Markham Ontario. At the pickup time the store owner never helped with the rental. He just gave me the key to pick up the van. The van supposed to be 107 if my millage was around 60. When I got the receipt, They have charged me 450$ for it.

When I contacted them they are saying that their terms have been updated and they are charging me for the van that was broken because I accepted the term and conditions which indicates I accepted to pay for the van damages even if it was broken when I picked it up. I never was notified by store owner that van has a black plastic on top of it which is broken or damaged. Here is the way management emails with complete ignorance about the situation and put all the fault on client. Even I sent them several images of the pick up time they never accepted the pictures. Clearly they just want take money from people making up reason for it.

"Hello Kajhal. Thank you for contacting us. Our records show that a Confirmation Access Link was sent successfully via text to your phone however, our records also show this link was not used. The Confirmation Access Link is used to verify the condition of the rental equipment, including cleanliness, damage, odometer reading and fuel level. If anything does not match the pictures you would have approved, you can note it on your contract. This includes the odometer reading and fuel level as you have the opportunity to dispute either of those levels at time of dispatch. Please also be aware that our Rental Contracts have been updated to include a stipulation that if the Confirmation Access Link is not used, then you are accepting the condition of the equipment as is , along with the fuel and odometer readings as show on the rental contract. Regards U-Haul Customer Service."

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

They are a stain on my first time home buying experience. 1) I booked the moving help service through U-Haul, and the moving company contacted me and told me they couldn't work with my time. So I had to cancel and re-book, using the credit they gave me. However their credit does not fully cover the cost of re-booking through their site. I literally re-booked within a couple of hours and the prices were drastically different. Expect to pay an extra $40-80. 2) I had questions when I was trying to book my new reservation and decided to use their chat function. After typing in my question, I received a reply saying I would be responded to within 1 minute. I never got a response. I waited for over 30 minutes before closing the chat.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

U-Haul Company Information