Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now
  2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

BOTTOM LINE

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

PROS

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

CONS

• Preferences not guaranteed

Top U-Haul Reviews

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best customer service I have received in the past thirty years if not in my entire life!

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpful. Thank you to U-Haul for coming through for me!!

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
      • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
      • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
      10-foot $1,350
      15-foot $1,400
      20-foot $1,700
      26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
      • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
      • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
      For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
      Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
      Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
      How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
      A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
      Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
      No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Excellent customer service! They do what it takes to earn your business. I can respect that! The BIG plus is that this business HONORS our Veterans!! TWO THUMBS UP!! Thank you Krissy **! (Oregon City) You did a remarkable job getting things back on track! My profound appreciation is extended to Nimsi, Cryssi, Robert ** (shout out to Tyler for his service in assisting in loading my car onto the auto transporter - super!) and finally Trayvon and his staff here in Spokane. Impressive folks! U-HAUL HAS NO COMPETITION!!! Their trucks waste no space - the Mom's Attic are super helpful!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I am 20 years old and paid in advance for the truck online. Long story short, I screwed up. Well, Judy ** helped me not only get my refund but also realize that people make mistakes and that's okay! By far the best customer service experience I have ever had. I stopped stressing and was even able to laugh. Love her.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Used UHaul as my moving company years ago. There weren't a lot of companies to choose from in my area so my choices were limited. I felt like the u-haul company was very expensive they did a good job but very pricey. I think if there was more competition then the prices would have been a lot more reasonable as they are now.. There is a package for everything. They even offer boxes for a price...

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was overall happy with the U-Box experience. The price was the most reasonable. Although you must be flexible with your deadlines. The boxes came at the right date, and were picked up at the right date. And they were delivered on the right date. But they did not remove the boxes on the right date. If that is fine with you, then I would fully recommend U-Haul U-Boxes.

Original review: April 20, 2019

4/12/19 All of these bad reviews make U-Haul sound really scary to deal with. I've had dealings with them in the past that went well and my most recent experience was no exception. I called and reserved a 26' truck, a dolly and moving blankets. The day before I was due to pick it up U-Haul called me and texted me to let me know that my pick up location had changed. It was actually closer to my house! BONUS.

The truck was a 2016 model that was in great shape with only 44,000 miles on it. Jerry was pleasant, efficient and very professional. I loaded the truck in one day and drove it 560 miles from Portland to Missoula without incident. I had the truck loaded to 21,650 pounds. Right up against the 22,000 GVWR and the V-10 Triton engine did just fine over two mountain passes It cost $240 in fuel all told. Jerry had given me an extra day to unload and return the truck but I didn't need it. They changed the drop off location but went out of their way to make sure I was notified. It was no big deal and again, it was actually closer to where I was located.

The cost to rent the truck, additional equipment and insurance was $1134.00. Penske want $1500 just for the truck before they tacked on all of the little fees that they charge. U-Haul has a few fees too but they were all explained beforehand. Try hiring a moving company to move 10,000 pounds of your stuff for $1350. NO WAY.

There were no additional charges to my credit card, no mix-ups, no breakdowns and no rude people that I dealt with. It was a pleasant experience that got done what I needed to get done. I would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, I need to move another load over in a week or two and I WILL be calling U-Haul. They haven't been around this long because they don't know what they're doing. I'm sure there are a few bad apples here and there but you'll find that in any industry. Don't ever blindly trust anyone. Look out for yourself first. Trust but verify and life will be easier for you. Most of the time the only thing you hear is the bad, THIS is the good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: April 2, 2020

Rented a 15 ft truck in Lee’s Summit Missouri to move furniture to Naples Florida approximately 1500 mile trip, truck was so noisy. We had a difficult time communicating in the cab. When we got to hot temperatures in Florida I turned on the air conditioning and it only blew hot air. We called the company and reported it, thus we had to drive 7 hours sweating in the truck with the windows down. I then reported it to the U-Haul drop off point. It has now been 6 weeks and have not received any contact from the company, thus we will never use the U-Haul company again. I am considering disputing the 1600.00 charge on my credit card. So beware if you are renting a vehicle!

Original review: March 30, 2020

U-Haul is nothing but scum of the earth. Back in 2016 when my wife and I were moving into my mother's house we got a uhaul because we thought it would save us money, little did we know they Illegally charged us for going to 2 different cities when we never went to. Plus they charged us for gas that we put in the tank before returning. They charged us for fuel that we never used and said we used more mileage than claimed. So they put me on the "don't rent to list" which is bs, they told me I still owe them $65 which is a lie. I wouldn't even recommend uhaul to my worst enemy. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS. THEY LIE, CHEAT, AND STEAL!!!!

Original review: March 24, 2020

I reserved a truck online. I wanted a truck to be at the location chosen. I was not able to get that as per phone call. I then had to confirm with an Iphone. I dont have one. I called and chatted 6 times to get my point across about not having a phone. Last person I spoke to said it was fine to show my driver's license in person. I still had to drive 45 minutes to pick up truck rather than 20. I am so disappointed.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I took my car in to have a trailer hitch installed. The car sounded fine. When I went to pick the vehicle up there was an exhaust leak that made the car sound rough. I contacted the company. Told him before I left the facility. They refuse to acknowledge that they made a mistake.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

My husband and I moved to Florida from Keene NH recently. We went to the Keene NH Facility to rent these items. Moving truck and Car hauler. We waited for 15 minutes yelling, "Is anyone here," to walk around the building and find your so call manager and one other employee smoking beside the building. Who is there to wait on customers. We asked for the girl, younger than the manager who was so nice and helpful when we went in to ask about the pricing. We were told she didn't work there anymore. We were treated with disdain after asking for the other girl that. We were told if we didn't like who was waiting on us we could get out My husband and I walked out. No wonder the nice girl no longer works there. Budge in Brattleboro VT was more than willing to take our money and were very helpful. And Guess what....when we walked in they had someone there to greet us, not around the building smoking and leaving the store unattended.

U-Haul Company Information