2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5
Based on 1,638 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with a Moving partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

BOTTOM LINE

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

PROS
    • Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability
    CONS
    • Preferences not guaranteed

Top U-Haul Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best customer service I have received in the past thirty years if not in my entire life!

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpful. Thank you to U-Haul for coming through for me!!

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
      • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
      • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
      10-foot $1,350
      15-foot $1,400
      20-foot $1,700
      26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
      • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
      • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
      For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
      Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
      Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
      How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
      A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
      Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
      No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: April 6, 2021

This is a review of my experience with Uhaul. I would like to say that when I went to pick up my uhaul I was never notified that it was sent to another location so that caused a 35 minute delay and the guy at the convenience store apologized several times and not to mention I was on hold for 20 minutes just to get through to your customer service number to reach someone.

Secondly, when I picked up the uhaul finally it only had a half of tank of gas in it, not 3/4 like I was told, so I called the Martinsville location and spoke to the lady there about it so I wouldn't be charged 4.00 a gallon when I dropped it off and she didn't seem to care, I was told through your customer service that I would recall 70.00 credit off with my 100.00 deposit back and I'm showing here that the 100.00 has been sent to my card but not the 70.00.

Thirdly, when I dropped off the uhaul the guy there reran my debit card to get payment for something I had already paid for, luckily that didn't come out, then he said I didn't put the gas to 3/4 take which I kindly informed him about it, so really this experience was a very bad one and I will not recommend or use uhaul again. Bad customer service, no 70.00 credit as promised which that does need to be honored. Changing locations without notifying customers is unacceptable, overall very poor service.

Original review: April 6, 2021

I went through the online process to rent a small enclosed trailer from U-Haul. After selecting the trailer I needed and picking the location. It told confirmed. It was available. I then had to carefully click through about 5 pages in a row where they tried to upsell me on various items. In fact, they were so clever in doing so I almost purchased supplies that I did not need or want. I made the reservation and was told that an agent would call me in 24hrs to confirm. I received a call and a customer service rep rudely told me that the trailer I wanted wasn't available anywhere nearby. I was then told the only option was a larger trailer (higher cost) and that I would have to drive an additional 10mi each way to get the trailer.

I asked if they would reduce the price to what was quoted and I was told rudely that I didn't read the small print and that there was no 100% guarantee given. It isn't their fault I didn't read the details and it isn't their fault that I need to drive 10mi further each way to get a trailer that was much bigger than I needed. I gave them 5 days notice prior to the day I needed the trailer. When I started to ask about the misleading quoting process and that I felt it was extortion that I was being told to pay more after confirming with my credit card, the service rep said that I clearly was upset and she would not be willing to help me as a result.

So in summary. I confirmed a specific size, date & location to pick up, reserved with my credit card... and then 24hrs later was told I "needed to pay more" and drive further, opposite direction to pick up and drop off and had to get a larger trailer. No compromise was offered. Nothing but rude condescending comments about my inability to read and their lack of concern. Then told I was being rude and basically not worthy of their service. The kicker... what other options do you have? They can treat however because they know there is no competition in our general area.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2021

If I could leave negative stars, I would. Do yourself a HUGE favor and rent from Budget. Or really, anywhere else. I booked a reservation two weeks before my moving date. U-Haul called me twice to cancel and find a different truck. The first time it was like 30 minutes out of the way, but I said fine. Then 6pm, the night before my move they call again. No truck. They try to give me a truck over an hour out of the way. I said absolutely not. I suggested getting a truck in the town I'm moving to, I would have to pay more for round trip, but I was willing to do that because I'm desperate. I'M MOVING TOMORROW. Nope. No trucks. Apparently not one truck in all of North Jersey.

The nasty woman I spoke to, Aaliyah, was disgusting. Most unhelpful, nasty person. I asked to speak to her Supervisor. But, of course, she claimed no Supervisor available. I will never rent anything from U-haul ever again. What's the point of making a reservation if you can't hold on to a truck for the person. Now it's almost 7pm on a Friday and I have no way to move. Thanks U-HAUL! Great job!

Original review: March 13, 2021

Awful. Do yourself a favor and explore all other alternatives before using U-Haul. I reserved a small trailer for a cross country move. Despite there being several uhaul facilities in my region, I was told I needed to take a 4hour roundtrip drive to pick up a trailer. I needed it so I did. I made it across the country only to have my drop-off location changed to add an additional 2 hours of driving to drop off the trailer instead of using a location within 20 miles. I made a couple of calls to try and sort it out, find something closer, etc., and was told - "Sorry, you need to drive it there." Uhaul's remedy: a $30 rebate. Bait and switch tactics and bad customer service. I'll never use them again. I would have been better off buying a trailer. Beware.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Not once but twice one being paid for. U-Haul cancelled my reservations without so much as a phone call or a text then they are rude about it. Now I'll have to fight for my 580.00 Dollars back. People that work there were rude as hell. Why make a reservation if it's not going to be there when you need it!! Extremely unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

First things first, this individual U-Haul wasn't terrible. It's the service after them that I'm complaining about. Worst customer service I've ever experienced, EVER. First of all, they charge you about as much as the trailer's worth just to rent it for a couple days. Second, I paid for insurance and roadside assistance. I broke down half way into my move and was stranded by the side of the road. Not only would they not come out to help, they wouldn't even come get their equipment with my stuff in it to get it to a safe place!!!

The trailer leaked and destroyed some furniture. Nope, the insurance is for the trailer! ON TOP OF ALL THAT, after I had made the most ridiculous arrangements to get myself moved across country... a week after I thought I'd forgotten about all the mess... they charged me for a toll that I had already paid!!!! I called and talked to a number of people over the course of about an hour and NOTHING. They wouldn't even waive a $6 toll that was already paid!!! GO PENSKE or someone else that rents trucks/trailers at ALL COST!

P.S. I had not written a review on their website! ON TOP OF ALL THAT, this is what I got on their website when I tried to write a review: "Review already submitted! Thank you! Our records indicate that your review for this contract has been completed. If you have additional feedback or inquiries, please contact us through chat, email or by phone. Thank you for choosing U-Haul."

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

U-Haul-Sacramento- at El Camino Ave. 1650 El Camino Ave Sacramento CA. I took a photo of the mileage & gas before leaving-gas was 1/4 tank. We drove it 39 miles & I put in $10 gas. When we returned it, they lied and said the initial gas was 3/4 tank. Then tells us we should have gone onto some app they never told us about, they were in such a hurry, they didn't bring out the furniture dolly I rented. The rep we spoke with when checking out was also very rude. If I hadn't discovered it wasn't in the trailer, we would have left without it. Even after showing him my photo, with gas level and miles, he lied about the gas level & charged us $40 + tx more. When I asked to speak with a manager, he said the manager wasn't there. I recommend not doing business with this U-Haul outlet since they are thieves. They don't even deserve the 1 star I had to enter. I have been a U-Haul customer many times and have never had such a bad experience.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Not only does U-Haul University of Texas not care about their customers, their employees did such a terrible job attempting to install my hitch and wiring that they blew all of my fuses and caused a total system failure of my brand new car leaving me marooned for days in New Mexico where I had to be towed from the side of the highway. Despite alerting management and their customer "service", I have not received any acknowledgement of the issues, expenses, nor the danger they put me in. The wiring install was so shoddy that even though it was completed merely days before I hit the road, the plastic encasing was rubbed through and exposed the wiring underneath. I had been traveling in a snowstorm at night in an area without cell service. It could have been even worse, and they couldn't care less. Do not spend a dime with these guys. I spent thousands reversing the damage they did.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Horrible!!!! I needed to rent 10 vans for corporate use. The experience was horrific from the point of reserving the vehicles to returning. I've never seen a company as poorly organized as U-haul. It took hours to reserve the vehicles. When the reservation was finally submitted it was canceled the day of pickup. We had to waste additional time to reserve the vehicles again. The reason they canceled the reservations was that they didn't want to give up all vans from a single location. We had to drive across 5 different locations to pick up the vans. On top of that the rep was extremely rude. The vans are overpriced and you can get a much better deal with other companies (Hertz). When we returned the vehicles we were overcharged for late drop off plus other charges. Lastly we could not get a receipt for our rentals. We gave over $20k in business to Uhaul in November and December. We will never rent from Uhaul again!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I went to U-Haul in Moon Twp, PA. Rent a 15' truck for $29, they give me a truck over 120,000 miles, tires were out on freezing weather with heavy rain. I am not exaggerating. That truck should not be on the road so I return the truck around 7 pm. I had it for less than 4 hours and give me a bill for $104, I was told they were going to charge me around $40. Now I want tell others when thinking about getting Uhaul think twice and see alternatives. This Company is rip off and misleading people with their ad and top of that their outdated trucks, Uhaul you are a thief.

U-Haul Company Information