Find a Movers partner

3.8/5 (1418 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Top U-Haul Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best cu...

Verified

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpfu...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
    • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
    • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
    10-foot $1,350
    15-foot $1,400
    20-foot $1,700
    26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
    • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
    • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
    For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
    Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
    Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
    How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
    A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
    Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
    No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: July 29, 2021

This review is more about my experience with U-Haul's customer service - than the actual rental of the truck, which unfortunately, did not go as planned in the beginning. Bottom line is that I had to go to 3 different places before I could find the 26 feet truck that I had reserved. Having said that, I have to admit that I had never dealt with such a superb and sincerely concerned about me getting a truck, customer support representatives before! I spoke with 4 different scheduling managers. They each tried to help me get a truck, regardless of geographical boundaries.

I lived in NYC but for personal reasons, I reserved my truck out of Newark, NJ. They were very polite, very understanding, and they really went out of their way to help me find the size of truck that I needed for my move. But what really took me by surprise and made it all worth the minor inconvenience is that after I got to Florida and sent an email to their customer service, within 3 hours, Mr. Nick **, I believe a supervisor, judging by the way he was talking, was on the phone with me.

He explained to me that because so many people are moving out of the NY/NJ area, and very few people are moving from Florida to NY, they have to depend on their customers for when they will be dropping their trucks off and at which location and etc.. Obviously, that made a lot of sense but I was not aware of that when I wrote my email. Nonetheless, he was very apologetic about the inconvenience that I had experienced and he went out of his way, to make sure that I was happy with the resolution - and I was!!! Thank you Mr. Nick ** and it was a real pleasure talking with you!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I have had to rent a few hauls over the past 2 months for work and each representative I've spoken with has been wonderful. They've helped me move drop off locations and pick up times, easily changed from 1 to 2 trucks and every time it's been quick and seamless. When it comes to moving anything, it's really no fun but when it's made easier with timely, friendly service - it makes the process that much better. I wish I had names of the gentlemen I've worked with but I made a point to create an account with ConsumerAffairs to leave a review other than with U-Haul themselves. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2021

It was easy to rent a moving van from this moving company. My aunt and I put a down payment down for it but it wasn't that much. All I had to do was refill the truck back up with the same gas amount that was in it when she purchased it for me. All you need is license and no negative history with the company. If you have an accident you will be charged and refundable deposit will be kept.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Moved from Chicago to Florida. They were very professional, packed what I wanted them to, tv’s, lamps, etc. Took apart Furniture and reassembled at new home. The best part was they stored it while waiting for the closing.

Original review: April 14, 2021

In these days & times, during Covid-19, with a lot of people out of work, & less money to work with, it helps when you can get things like moving accomplished, but with half the cost. Now you still have to be wise in your choice of companies that you choose to work with in the end, but you will save a lot of money by packing yourself, renting your own truck, & doing the driving yourself. The only thing you will need the 2-3 guys for, would be to meet you at your old place & load everything onto your truck, then follow you to your new place, & unload everything off of your truck. After the job is done, you will give them the payment code that they turn in to Moving Helpers, to be paid for the completed job; that's it.

I have used them successfully several times, in & out of state. My sons use them when they were in college, & job transferring. We have never had a problem, & we saved a lot of money by packing & securing the truck & driving ourselves. You will have several companies, within your area to choose from. Everything is done online. Tipping is left up to the customer. I always did, because I felt like they earned it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

Rented a U-Haul ubox. Worst experience ever. Never told me what time they were dropping off the box. Had to call customer service and wait 30 minutes on hold the day they were suppose to come out to get any idea of when it was being dropped off. Then had to call to get them to pick up the box even though I had already set a day for them to pick it up. Old landlord had to complain to me for me to know that they never picked it up. Now at my destination, delayed by at 8 days because they were late picking it up, they want me to pay 80$ to have the box delivered after I paid all fees online. Only other option was to pick the box up myself which requires a forklift. So I cannot get my things back from them until 80$ additional fee is paid and of course this fee only comes after they have my things. Complete nightmare experience from day 1. I wouldn't recommend this service to my worst enemy.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I made an online reservation for a 15' truck for a 110 mile move. Two days before the move U-Haul calls me and tells me the place where I reserved my truck does not have it available and I would need to go an hour away to pick it up. When I asked for the next size down (10 Foot), I was told there was a shortage and again would need to travel over 20 miles from my home to pick up a truck. I ended up cancelling my reservation and paying more money with another company but it sure was a lot less of a hassle and I got unlimited miles and an extra day with them vs. 175 miles and a one day rental that U-Haul was giving me.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

My husband and I drove to Asheville, NC, Sweeten Creek location to check out of a unit and rent a U-haul truck to drive back. We went to U-haul, rented the truck and started loading the stuff from the rental unit. We had 1 bag with some Styrofoam in it and I asked if there was a place we could dispose of it. My husband with hurt leg came hopping back from trying to put the bag in the garbage bin and he says, "The guy with the red hair says I can't put the bag in there." The employee whom I asked says, "I can't see why not." Well then I go into the store to buy a lock and asked the clerk Kijana what would it have hurt to let us to put one bag in the bin. Conflicting permissions. I said on top of it the guy spoke rudely to my husband. Kijana, the clerk says, "What. The fat guy? He's my manager." I said. "No the red headed guy."

The red headed guy came in and I asked the same question. He was quite rude with his answer and I told him so. Kijana said, "I am taping you" and I paused. He started taping and saying, "You are trespassing and you have to leave. You will not get any service." I stepped back and stood at the door. Kijana said, "You have to leave. You are trespassing and I am calling the police." He pushed the button for the police and we waited for the Police outside. Asheville Police Officers saw the silliness of this matter and told us that one clerk said he would not to wait on us. We still needed to return some boxes. We left. We were belittled for pointing out rudeness. After this and many years of using U-Haul we will never again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Terrible service. I rented a truck and received a cargo van and had to make more trips to do my moving. The website information is fake because I received a different solution from my order. I chose a location close to my house, and the pick-up location was far. The attendant tried to offer less equipment than what I rented. When I returned, the attendant said the fuel level was low and for my luck, I took a picture to prove that he was wrong. I don't recommend the U-Haul service to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

I've been renting a storage unit with U-Haul for almost a year now. Signed up for $109 unit next thing I know I'm paying for insurance I didn't ask for nor need . Then they raise the price without informing me okaying it.. Then literally charge me a $30 late fees after paying the storage unit 5 days later how does $109 plus tax equate to $161.52.. paying for the unit isn't a issue but as an existing customer you should be informed or give some type of authorization before your contract details change... I could be wrong but to me this feels very sneaky and is very unacceptable!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

U-Haul Company Information