1.22/5

Discover the right moving company for you

884 U-Haul Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We had a 4 days reservation of 10 truck needed to move our belongings. On the day we came to pick up the truck, we experience an unpleasant experience at the Coram, NY 11727 location. We are professional people. My wife is a retired psychologist and I am an air Carrier pilot. The clerk at the location was incompetent and had no customer service skills. She was rude and self-centered. We as the customers had no value to her. She failed to fulfill the company verification process only because she dialed the wrong number. She claimed the number was not in service. She announced that she would not rent to us because we failed the verification process.

Only after I dialed the number from my phone successfully, she dialed again and verified the number. Things got worse with the clerk stating that we are not respectful to her and that she would not rent the truck to us, thus leaving us without options at the day we needed the truck. I guess customers come last in this outfit. I suggest to potential customers to stay away this branch.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

On 08/30/2018 I rented a 15' truck to drive from Memphis to Spanaway WA. That's about 2,500 miles. I also rented a hitch for my vehicle. The rental was over $2,700.00. I was on my way. This truck had little to no power it pitched a ** on small hills. I was filling up on average every 2 to 3 hours. When I finally got to the mountain state the gas mileage got even worse. The speed limits in most of these states were 75 to 85 mph. It didn't matter. Couldn't even get to 70 going downhill. In Idaho it seem as though the transmission or the engine was about to give in so I called roadside assistance. This man came out, put it on the computer he had and said nothing's wrong.

I explained this truck performance is not great. He then went into a scenario about they would have to sent out another truck and being that it was Labor Day weekend good luck with that. He never physically drove the truck and he said yeah there is something wrong with the truck but he don't have a transmission in his truck that he could replace it with then left. I called roadside assistance and relayed his message. He called me personally the next day to tell me I had got him in trouble and they had fired him. Long story short I spent over $1,000.00 in gas for this piece of crap and they only offered me $150.00 in compensation. Screw UHAUL. 3 times I had to drive cross country and 3 times they have screwed me. I've never tried other rental truck companies because their prices are always higher, but I will if I ever need to do it again.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I like to address several complaints. The first issue is that like to address is that my credit card authorized amount was $122.75 and taken out of my account. When I returned the U-Haul rental was 83.72. The difference that was supposed to be a credit back my account is $39.03. It's been over a week and no action has been taken credit my account. The other issue I like to address is when I received the U-Haul rental it was given to me at 3/4 full and I returned the rental I returned it at a full tank. I would like to be credit for the fuel tank full. On 9/11/2018 I called U-Haul place to speak with a manager. The U-Haul sales person took the information of my complaint and said: "the manager will be contacting me at the end of the business day." I didn't receive any call. I like to resolve these issues in a timely matter. I like to let someone in the corporate headquarters know that I will never use U-Haul ever again.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Rented a truck for my girlfriend. They put a hold on my card for 42 dollars then after Labor Day they took 84 dollars. Now to today they takes 126 dollars like WTH! U-Haul is awful. I'm talking to customer service and they ended the online chat on me when I ask what was all the charges for. She couldn't even tell me why the hell they took the 126 when they already took 84 dollars.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

On September 03, 2018 9:00 AM ABS light came on after short time of driving the 26 foot truck, the front wheels were shaking all the time. I couldn’t get back because I had to finish moving before noon and the distance was 15 kms. On my back to return the truck the warning red lights for the brakes and the alarm came on twice and keeps buzzing for long time. I had to stop every time came on, turn off the engine and wait then start the engine hoping that the alarm will stop. I reached the store safely but was a scary experience. The service at the store was good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

While on our way to Florida to get married our Jeep broke down. We called U-Haul to get a truck and car hauler to take it home after the wedding. We ordered on Thursday for a Monday pick up. We had to drive to two locations after we were told everything would be at one location. Straps on the car hauler were broken and we were told that that particular hauler wasn't supposed to be in service. My husband helped replace the straps. We went back and forth for two hours!! Very unhappy and will not use them again. I can't believe the lengths they will go to in order to make a customer unhappy.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We reserved a 26' truck from Moe's Dart Supply in Lake Havasu City AZ. Got an email to confirm reservation so we confirmed it. When we arrived to pick up, they had NONE in stock and blamed us for it. Why bother reserving equipment and confirming the reservation if the equipment won't be available ANYWHERE within 150 miles from the pickup location required when requested? Wasted time, wasted gas money, unfriendly service, unhelpful helpline, rude people at Moe's Dart Supply. I cannot stress enough how unhappy we were with this experience.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Your service was horrific. First, the initial delivery of our boxes were an issue. We ordered five. We received four, and the driver said she would be back with the fifth. We finished with the other four within two hours and waited for the last to arrive. After multiple calls to U-Haul, no one could reach her. We waited at least three hours from the initial delivery for the last one. And her attitude wasn’t pleasant.

Our boxes were supposed to arrive in Scottsdale, AZ on Saturday, August 25. Our movers were going to get them and bring them over the next day, on the 26th. When they arrived at U-Haul, our boxes were not there. No one from U-Haul even contacted us to let us know they were late. Our movers had to tell us, not to mention waste their time!

When we called to find out what the problem was, we were told they didn’t know where our boxes were. We asked to speak to a manager but conveniently, none were there. They said one would call us back within 48 hours. Six days later, and still no one has reached out. Our boxes arrived four days late. Service has been the worst I’ve ever experienced, and I plan on posting this review everywhere until a U-Haul manager calls us back.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Currently moving in Hot Springs, AR so I rented two trucks, a week apart, from Temperance Hill to get the job done. First truck was fine, no problems whatsoever. The second truck, however, was a complete nightmare. They handed me the keys and told me the truck was parked by the road and that I was good to go. The truck itself ran fine, but I had rented JUST the truck. Upon opening the backup, it was absolutely filthy inside, there was a dolly, as well as padding for moving. It was obvious that they did nothing with the truck when it was last rented. I completed my task and returned the truck. During the return, the young lady checked the mileage and gas level, took me inside and gave the me difference owed from the deposit.

Signed our receipts and told me that I was good to go on my way. Upon returning home, they called me accusing me of damaging the top passenger side of the truck as well as the inside. I informed them that I had NOT had any impact with anything, and I was just moving boxes and small furniture. Nothing that could have even come close to the top of the inside and my driving route was wide open space with no possibility of a collision. They then told me that I should have pointed out the damage (if it was pre-existing) during the pre-inspection. No such inspection took place during either rental and I was cleared upon return of the truck. They demanded that I pay for the damages or a police report would be filed against me.

We'll see what happens, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid this company. They will do whatever it takes to get more and more money out of you and could even press charges against you for their incompetence and inability to do their job correctly. They willfully push blame onto the customer if they can find a way. Just... Don't use U-Haul. Please... save yourself.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

It was 2 am when we started the drive. Wanted to beat L.A. traffic so I could get to U-haul with time to unload same day. It was me, a single mom, and my 7 year old who loves trucks, trains and sea animals. First time driving a U-Haul for more than 5 blocks, also my first time ever towing a car. But I was divorcing we were splitting residences and I wanted everything done in one swoop, so I manned up and handled it. Drove 507 miles to San Francisco, drive went pretty well too. Only had to stop once for gas, bathroom, food and war-games with the offspring while standing in line after line. We made it to the city at 11:55 am. Needed to get to U-Haul first so they can detach the tow dolly with my car on it so I can drive to my moms and unload a quarter of the truck before returning to put everything else in storage.

Got to the facility and saw an entrance that said "storage", it was a narrow driveway going downhill, should have circled the block but traffic was crazy and I made a split second decision. Drove down a steep grade in a narrow driveway till I got to a keypad. In front of me was a gate with a medium sized empty parking lot. Called the front desk, and they confirmed I need to go to the other side of the building as this was not the correct entrance. I asked them if they could open the gate so I can make a U-turn since I was going downhill towing a car and would be backing up into a busy street blind with no assistance. They refused...

Now, at this point my son started to do what children do and dance in his seat, so I had him unbuckle himself while I rolled the window down, poured out a bottle of water and had him urinate into the bottle, all while trying my darn-est not to go off on these people in-front of my angel. I was talking to a Chris or a Ben, absolutely refused to have someone walk out of the office just to stop traffic. U-haul's website says "When we share a moving truck with you, your safety is our priority" yet when a safety issue arises and they have like 4-5 people at the front desk apparently no one there can help. And this is not counting the other staff in other departments like vehicle check-in but I doubt they even asked....

Well I pleaded with the first person before being put on hold for 3 minutes, then transferred to another person who just said "no" more sternly, reps were a Ben and a Chris, I forget who I spoke to first and second. But I would have done so much at my job if a customer had an issue such as this, all that's involved is being a human and doing the human thing. Ended up getting out the u-Haul and asking bystanders walking by to assist me. Had to wait a while, but ended up getting a 30-something male to help me. Took 2 tries as the tow started to turn at weird angles, but quickly got out the driveway with his help and yes the situation could of ended a lot differently if I tried to do it without help as the street I was backing into had non-stop traffic. Horrible customer service from U-Haul and failure in delivering in their promise to put safety first.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I rented a pick up truck. Made arrangements for a "value package" that was explained to me... by the customer Service Representative. $79.00 flat rate... up to 100 miles FREE. Any additional miles over the 100 would be 29 cent a mile additional. TOTAL LIE!!! No such package exists. The real truth is as followed...

89 cent a mile up to 100 miles... then 29 cent a mile after that. They will tell you anything just to get your business. Flat out lied to me. Go elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

If I could give no stars I would. On Aug. 14th, my mom and I rented a truck to help my son move. The first truck had no turning signal. We returned it. Got another vehicle, we went and bought a few TVs from BJ's. We then went to my mom's house to pick up couches, and when we opened up the back of the truck, roaches were running everywhere!!! We stumped and sprayed. I took pictures of the dead ones. We continued our move because it was getting late. We called customer service. Rep was rude and kept coughing in our ears. Switched us back to main line after I asked him to stop coughing in our ears. But, business was now closed!!! The next day, my mom told the manager of the store, and she basically called us liars, even with the pictures!!! I'll never do business again with U-Haul. No refund or partial refund was given. Just mean and rudeness, with a fear of now having roaches!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I reserved a 20 ft rental truck from U-Haul which was to be picked up in downtown Lynchburg, VA. I drove all the way across the US from Texas and on the morning before my pickup I received an email stating that my truck was no longer available and that I had to drive an hour away to a different city to pick up a larger truck. The U-Haul reps at both locations insisted that the truck size and location were "preferred" options. The reservation confirmation is NOT a confirmation of equipment or location. What utter B.S.! What is a confirmation?

To make matters worse, I know that the downtown Lynchburg location (1760 Park Ave) had a 20 ft truck available the morning I received the email stating I would now have to go to a different city to get 'my' truck because I met the people that rented that 20 ft. truck that morning. BEWARE - U-Haul will pull the equipment out from under you and leave it up to you to work out the logistics. Take it or leave it attitude is prevalent at U-Haul. Never again!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Reservation made last week to buy hitch and install it 0700 with trailer to be attached at 0900 at same location. Tonight, the night before, update is that trailer is at another location available at 16:30. Doesn't work - we're to be long on the road by then. Screwed! Angry at this "disservice" company.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I had a reservation on a truck for about 10 days. I went to pick it up and was declined. Embarrassing me and my character in front of those standing behind me. There was an e-alert stating I did not pay a bill. If there was a problem this should of been disclosed when I made a reservation. Which was untrue and when U-Haul looked into it U-Haul said the charges did not make sense. They opened a dispute on my behalf. But still would not let me rent a truck. This cost me time, money, and a smear on my character. I then had my son rent the truck. The truck was dirty, no a/c and no working cruise control. One way rental over 900 miles. This was a miserable trip with those conditions. Very bad experience. Overall.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

On August 12, 2018, my husband and I picked up a U-Haul from 4831 SE Powell Blvd. in Portland, OR. We completed an inspection of the vehicle with **. The contract number is **. ** came out and completed an inspection of the U-Haul with my husband. However, ** did not look under the U-Haul or check to see if the fuel line was intact. When we got the car, it had about half a tank of gas.

We drove the truck to Eugene, got it unpacked, and went to return the vehicle. When we stopped to put fuel in the vehicle, it started spraying everywhere. The gas station attendant looked under the vehicle and informed us it was clear that the fuel line had been cut. Luckily, we were close to the drop off spot so we drove it there and called U-Haul Roadside. At this point, the car began to smoke and fume. Roadside told us it was critical not to get back inside the car. Unfortunately, the drop off location we were scheduled to drop off at doesn’t take keys after hours. Consequently, they asked us to come back in the morning and drop off the keys. Roadside asked us where the car was. We told them exactly. They said to leave it there, again stressing the importance of not moving the car. The drop off location was 1796 Willamette in Eugene.

The next morning, we were exhausted from moving. Nonetheless, I started getting strange calls coming in at 6:52 am. The caller left no message. I got another call from the same number at 7:11 am. This time, he left a message. The message says, “yes message is for Aaron **, Aaron the U-Haul you dropped off has our car wash exit blocked. I can’t open that up until it's moved. It costs $100 an hour to have that car wash down. If I don’t hear from you by 8 am I will call a locksmith and have them make a key for that truck, have it moved, and you will be responsible for that as well.” He didn’t call in his U-Haul capacity. He called from his cell. That number is **. Though U-Haul calls are recorded per a corporate representative, the corporate representative said it is common that their employees will call from their cells to get around having them recorded.

My husband called the man back immediately and tried to explain what happened with the fuel line. He explained Roadside had urged us not get back in the vehicle because it could explode at any moment. The man said he didn’t care. He said we needed to come move it now and hung up on us. We rushed there and gave him the key. The U-Haul was hardly blocking the man’s car wash. At that time, contrary to what we had already been advised by Roadside and customer service, he told us he would be charging us $40 for not putting fuel in the tank, charging us for the fuel line, and the whole cost of the U-Haul. Then, he asked my husband to get in the car and move it. He refused, unwilling to risk his life for U-Haul.

The man got in the car and moved it himself. He didn’t apologize for our inconvenience. Instead, he screamed at my husband telling him it wasn’t his problem if the fuel line was cut and that he could charge us for whatever he wanted. This loose cannon that had called me all morning from his personal cell phone to avoid his calls being recorded has access to my card and can charge me whatever he wants. I called him back twice to ask him to give me his name so I could file a Better Business Bureau and U-Haul complaint. He hung up on me both times and refused to give me his name. I have phone lots reflecting all of these calls and the voicemail that he left me can be provided upon request.

Next, I called the general manager at the store that gave us the defective vehicle. Roadside had told us to call him since he was the only person authorized to give us a refund. His name is ** and he is at the Powell Blvd. location. The first employee that answered the phone, **, asked what I wanted. I explained the situation, at this point fighting tears. He doesn’t apologize. He cuts me off, laughs at me, and says, “let me transfer you to my manager.” When he goes to transfer, he doesn’t mute the phone. I hear him say, “get ready for an earful, we’ve got a real ** on the line.” When the manager got on the phone I asked him why his employee had said that. I was very upset. He didn’t apologize and just kept reiterating, “I’m the manager what do you need, I’m the manager what do you need.” I refused to speak with him further.

Not knowing what to do next or who I should speak to in order to get some respect, I again called U-Haul customer service. Every time I told my story and asked to speak to a supervisor I was put on hold, put back in the queue, and transferred to another representative. Consequently, I decided to call U-Haul corporate directly.

Next, I spoke with Deanna. She identified herself as assistant to the president, but every person I spoke with at corporate said that. She seemed genuinely concerned. She told me that, at the Powell Blvd. location, fuel lines get cut “every single day.” She said it isn’t uncommon for people to drill into other parts of the U-Hauls. She said, “there isn’t anything we can do about it.” So, they just send out the trucks with cut fuel lines. She told me that they do check to see if the line is cut before sending the car out, but that it is nearly impossible to tell if the fuel line is cut.

I have a witness at the gas station that said the fuel line was literally hanging on the ground and had ** even glanced at the bottom, he would have noticed. Deanna also told me that it is the Powell Blvd. U-Haul’s practice to only fill the trucks if they are below a quarter tank before sending out because otherwise the gas will just get stolen. Since they don’t fill the tanks before giving them to customers, they have no idea if the tanks are leaking when they send them out.

I told her that I didn’t want the GM, **, calling me back from Powell Blvd. after he had been so disrespectful. She offered to give me the money back for the gas I was charged and $129 of the total that we paid for the U-Haul, which was over $200. She also offered to give us a $50 credit with U-Haul. I told her I don’t want a credit with U-Haul since I will never use them again and asked for a full refund based on the hours and hours I had spent on the phone with U-Haul at that point.

She admitted she would want a full refund, too. She said she didn’t have the authorization to give me a full refund. She also said, “we can’t give you a full refund since you used the truck and made it to where you were going.” True, but what would have happened if we stopped to get gas a little earlier? We wouldn’t have been able to make it to our destination because Roadside told us it was critically important we not spend another moment in that car. Any single moment, any small spark, could have killed my husband as he spent three hours on the road from Portland to Eugene (there was traffic).

She said her manager was in a meeting until noon and that she would call me back after that. Instead, about 30 minutes later, ** called me back. I said I found it hard to believe ** was calling on behalf of the person I had just spoke to, since I had asked for them to call me back directly. He told me that Deanna had talked to her “big boss” and they couldn’t do any better than what they already offered.

I decided to call corporate back and make sure ** was calling on behalf of the person I had just spoken with. I got Shelly on the line. She kept me on the phone for about an hour telling me personal stories about her own life. At the time, I welcomed the banter, since she was the first U-Haul employee that had been kind to me. She stressed how dangerous what happened with the U-Haul was. She told me that the person we dropped off the U-Haul with hadn’t asked that the vehicle be maintenanced and spoke like there was a good chance that vehicle would be dispatched again before it was fixed. She told me that the notes in the system from all my calls were deficient and didn’t reflect that the vehicle was “out of compliance” like it should. She said she had to let Deanna handle things on her end first, but that if I didn’t get the “resolution I should” to call back the next day, ask for her extension, and she would escalate the issue to her supervisor.

Deanna called me back a bit later. She confirmed she had asked ** to call me directly letting me know that they couldn’t give a better refund offer. She said her big boss said they couldn’t give me a full refund because “they did everything they could on their end.” She said that the man that had called me harassing me and threatening to charge me for everything under the sun earlier in the day was a person “they don’t have any control over.” She said, “I talked to him and told him he could call you and offer you a partial refund if he wants, but he doesn’t have to and we can’t make him.” They sure had no problem transferring my credit card information to him. She didn’t ask me to send her the voicemail I got from him in the morning. She didn’t apologize that he had called me at 6:52 in the morning. She didn’t say she was sorry that my husband could have died in U-Haul’s truck. Once again, I was dismissed.

Later in the evening, I got another call from the U-Haul representative that said we had blocked his car wash. I called him back and asked why he called. He said, “I didn’t ** call you” and hung up on me. I sent him a screenshot showing the call and a message begging him to stop harassing me. I called Shelly back, the next day, pursuant to her request that I do so if I didn’t get an appropriate resolution. She gave me an extension of **, but when I called during her shift, I was told her extension didn’t work. However, I had tried it the day before and it had worked. I waited on hold for 20 minutes while they tracked her down. She told me the extension only works if she is on shift, but she also let me know that she had been on shift at the time that I called. She immediately told me she couldn’t do more for me. She didn’t offer to escalate to her supervisor as she had done the day before.

She told me that earlier that same day she gave someone a full refund for a cut fuel line. I asked why my situation was different? She said, “I heard that call and the customer service that man got was horrible.” No one offered to listen to the 20 plus calls I had to make to U-Haul. No one asked me for the voicemail the man left me. No one investigated my case. I guess U-Haul thinks it is serious when they give certain people trucks with cut fuel lines and not others.

I told her that my next calls were going to be to the news with tips about this and to an attorney. She told me that if I was going to call an attorney she legally wasn’t allowed to talk to me anymore (an utter misstatement of the law). I told her that was untrue and why that was untrue. Then, she transferred me to her manager. The manager said she couldn’t do a refund either. She didn’t apologize for the nightmare service I received, she didn’t say that they would investigate the U-Haul employee calling from his cell phone, she didn’t offer me an apology for being called a ** by the employees at Powell Blvd. Nothing.

People MUST check the fuel line before picking up their trucks. Try and put a little gas in it. Look at the bottom and check for things dragging. Keep your family, pets, and belongings safe! If this has happened to you, and you were harassed, belittled, charged for fuel, and refused a refund by U-Haul, let's band together, form a class action, and try and find an attorney that wants to sue. Let’s teach U-Haul that despite their near monopoly on moving services that they can and must do better for the people that pay them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I rented a U-Haul trunk a couple of days prior to the date the reservation was for, and all seemed well. The day before I was to pick up the truck, U-Haul called and told me my truck was in Tacoma, WA, which is about an hour away from where I live in Shoreline, WA. My rental was a one way rental from Shoreline to Bellingham, WA., which is an hour and twenty minutes North from where I live, while Tacoma is an hour to the South (2 hours round trip + 2 hours worth of burnt gas, then an hour and twenty to Bellingham.)

Not cool. I finally got them to find a truck that was closer, but not all that close. I had to drive from Shoreline to East Bellevue and back. I waited for over two hours to pick the truck up. The trucked turned out to be the largest truck they have, the 26 footer. I drove it home and could not drive up the street to my house. The truck got high centered at the bottom of the street. I had to call road-side assistance. They took quite a long time to get to me, but they did a great and professional job. But my day was shot, and my friends that I bribed with beer and pizza had to go. And the truck was way too far away from my home to cart things down a hill to. A 26 footer is not what I reserved! I couldn't check the vehicle in at the U-Haul across the street from my place. Instead, I had to go back to Bellevue to return the truck... unused.

I asked for a refund, but they couldn't do it because the U-Haul people were not in over the weekend. He said I would have to check the truck in now to get a refund on Monday. He said he didn't see any reason why they wouldn't give me a refund. I called the U-Haul number on Monday to ask for the refund. The person I spoke with was very rude and couldn't give me a refund. He shows the record as me having had the vehicle for three days, which is impossible because I turned the truck back in on the same day I checked it out on, and the mileage was from Bellevue to Shoreline and back to Bellevue again. In no way did it go anywhere else including Bellingham. He is having a manager look at it, but I highly doubt they intend to return my money. And, of course, I'm not out of my old place and definitely not into my new place during the weekend I needed to be moved on.

The employees at the Shoreline location and the Bellevue location were very nice and tried to help as much as they could, but they were unable to help in the end. The main U-Haul corporate people appear to be well trained to screw us over. If I were you, and I am, I would never use U-Haul again. Use another company. I've read all the review now about U-Haul, and I don't understand how a company with such incredibly low user satisfaction can stay in business. In my experience, they are horrible. When one rents a truck, that truck should be available and on time. I understand that U-Haul cannot control when a user brings a truck back.

But if they are going to rent trucks, they should keep some extras around for resolving these types of issues. And when they tell you to check in a vehicle, which includes paying for it, in my case, then they should refund me for it, as I could no longer use it to move with. And again, it was not the size I reserved in the first place. And that increase in size failed for my location. And as you all know, moving dates are timed with an exit from one location while entering a new location. And if you don't get out on time, you end up messing up the schedule of other people moving into your place of exit. (Picture of 26 footer high centered. The tires are touching, but they aren't touching enough to propel the truck forward or backward. The tail end is dragging on the street.)

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

It was not explained to me that the vehicle had to be returned to this location in order to take advantage of the advertised rates. One way is advertised on everything U-Haul rents. I simply returned the rental to a closer location for convenience and to save mileage. Now the total of my invoice has more than doubled from the estimated price on the contract. There is no way I would use or recommend U-Haul again for anything.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Rented a 26 foot at East Main location Tupelo, MS. When rents was told if I needed another night I could just keep it and pay 39.99 more so I did. Well on 2nd day Henry the manager called and said needed truck back by 1 instead of 630. I said, "If I bring back I shouldn’t have to pay extra day." Customer service said I wouldn’t but Henry was so rude. He charged me the extra even though I carried it back early and he talked to me like a dog. He even kept cranking the truck and loving it up the hill a little and said I owed 1/16 of gas so he charged me 12 more dollars. He humiliated me and I know it was because I am **. I have had it and I have all conversations recorded. Somebody owes me a refund.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Had to go back to a U-Haul after horrible experience with Budget! Went there last minute and they took care of everything for me at a very reasonable price and they made the returning process very easy as well! Never going anywhere else again! Mineral King Visalia CA! Amazing customer service!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

This company is a pack of thieves, it's no wonder why they're not accredited on Consumer Affairs. Don't believe anything they quote you online because it's a fraud to get you to wait till the last minute when you're picking up the vehicle and then hit you with the real price. They know that your stuck at that point. They are all well taught scammers. Don't count on the Department of Revenue in your state to help you because they told me that all rental vehicles can be taxed at whatever rate U-Haul wants because U-Haul has no obligation to collect state sales or use tax in the state you rent your equipment from. Therefore because they register all their vehicles in Arizona they have compiled a very good scam with the Department of Revenue in Arizona to rip off anyone in any state. So bring some Vaseline and they'll charge you whatever they want. For me it was 14%.

THE ONLY SOLUTION IS FOR EVERYONE READING THIS TO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THEM!!! PS. The truck I picked up wasn't close to being full of gas. It had a readout on the dash that said 303 miles to empty and the needle was below full. After I filled it the first time it said 430 miles to empty and the needle was way beyond the full mark. These are big tanks and I believe the difference here represents at least 7 gallons of fuel. 9 ($25.00) I will be returning it at 303 miles to empty and will bring my fists with me. THIEVES!!! Be smart, go somewhere else or you will suffer the consequences too.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My name is Rachel, I am communicating a grievance with your employee Nate **. On August 03, 2018 I made a U-Haul reservation via internet for a moving truck to be picked up at S Hillside on August 4th, 2018 at 9:30. On August 4th I received a text message stating my reservation location for pick had been relocated to E 47th St South. I then contacted U-Haul regarding the schedule change. I conversed and inquired with Nate ** about a possible complimentary reduction on additional mileage charge due to the reservation location being further than the original location site. I attempted to communicate that the new reservation location was not agreed upon during the initial reservation and would create an additional expense to me the customer due to a U-Haul system obstruction.

During the beginning of the conversation, Mr. ** presented with a professional demeanor. I attempted to convey my position to him and from a customer service perspective, Mr. ** became frustrated and then told me that he did not care either way if I used the truck or didn’t. I felt that his response was extremely unprofessional and created an unwelcoming feeling as a customer. Due to his negligent response to my concerns, I canceled my order which only created additional stress. I’m personally requesting upper management to listen to all phone call interactions between Nate ** and myself to provide education to him regarding professional customer service interactions when dealing with an unsatisfied customer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Horrible people at the Medford/ Somerville Ma location. The manager Will is the worse! He took my acct with U-Haul to eAlert after ONE time I rent a 26ft truck and returned late... Took it very personal and cream at me (I'm a female). Stated that I need to leave the store! Rude. Rude! He got mad because he keep calling to return the truck and my phone was dead. I have a company and my customer was supposed to close with the bank at 11 am but unfortunate the close took place at 2 pm... it took me 2 hours to get everything out and I return late ONLY ONCE not sure why!! He will put me in eAlert... I give thousand of dollar to this company monthly.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

So I go in to get my propane cylinder filled, take it out of my car, set it on the scale, push the call button and wait for the employee. A woman comes out but goes back inside to get a man named Shawn **. He strolls over and tells me I need to move my cylinder into his fill shed, I think he could have done that himself or asked more nicely. He can’t run the card on his phone so we have to go inside the store, I have to load the cylinder into my own car, again he could have offered. I walk to a register and he tells me ‘over here’, again, a little rude. This guy had long dirty fingernails, shirt untucked and was not professional. He needs a class in customer service...

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

"This company does not give a damn about customers." Again, even after over 10 yrs, I went back trying to give 2nd chance, you would think even after 10 yrs the company would improve even by a very small margin. No, they are total rip-off and scums of the world. The executives should be shacked. Good I don't own any part of this "fake" company.

Booked on the Internet U-Haul site, got all the confirmation and even a call saying they have the truck ad will be waiting for me. Went there had to wait 15mins, which is fine. found out they don't have any trucks, and also the worst part is I am on their e-Alert. They do not like complaints, if you do they blacklist you. I had to call the Customer Service and again wait 20 mins, then to be told they do not want my business. Good for me... since I hate companies that just want money and treat customers like trash, and do not like constructive feedback. Basically they wasted 2 hrs of my time, driving to the place and calling.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Rented the 15 foot trailer, as a we’re returning it a car started merging and forced us over as we did that the mirror got clipped, had to replace the mirror. A mirror wouldn’t be much right? Nope UHAUL charges you $300 for a mirror. A mirror costs $300.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Made 3 different reservations, at 3 different locations in Queens, NY over the course of a month, and each single time, the location either didn't have the vehicle I reserved, or didn't have vehicles at all. They sent me to a different locations. This is like that Seinfeld episode, where he makes a reservation, shows up to pick up his car, and the rental company doesn't have it. THE WHOLE POINT OF MAKING A RESERVATION IS THAT YOU NEED TO KEEP IT U-HAUL. Part 2. I called about a dozen times afterwards, each time being put on hold, then transferred to a brand new person, having to explain again what happened, in order to receive the $50 reservation guarantee credit. The customer representatives from 8885104237 are horrible, bored and rude.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

After using U-Haul three times in the last 5 years, I will never consider using them again. The first time I drove almost an hour to pick up a truck that would have been large enough to fit my needs only to find out there was no truck. I ended up making two separate trips with two different trucks costing me twice the money for truck, gas, time, and help. I attempted to rent a small trailer a few months ago and was told the day before no trailers available in our state. Local dealers getting constant complaints. I had a move out of rental scheduled for last weekend of month and was driving from NJ to VA with our son who took off from work to help us move to NJ. We reserved a 15 truck and a car hauler 3 weeks in advance. The day before we were told the truck would be in one location and the car hauler in another but that was doable.

After leaving NJ at 6 in the morning we received a message at 8 that we would be getting a 10 foot truck not a 15. After a long wait on hold, I asked the representative what we were supposed to do with the additional 5 ft of my belongings that wouldn't fit in 10 ft truck and was continually told I could pick up a 10ft truck. I then got a message from the local dealer saying that U-Haul made an appointment for us at 2 pm but he wasn't supposed to be there. He was very apologetic and also said he was having problems filling orders.

I tried another dealership that was on my way down the interstate and he spent a great deal of time trying to find me a truck. He called the Virginia scheduling number and I was told the nearest 15ft truck was in WV. I thanked him and told him I was going to cancel the whole truck thing and called Penske. All this frustration while driving a 6 hr trip. After I was almost to my destination I received a call from a location that was an hour and a half behind me saying that a truck was supposed to be returned there later that evening. Extremely inconvenient and no guarantee that truck would not have been late. Since I had rented a Penske truck the U-Haul dealer wasn't sure I could use the car hauler. So I didn't get a truck or car hauler which meant I had to leave a vehicle in VA and make another trip to pick it up.

My sympathy goes out to local dealers who usually get all the complaints but are not the problem at all. I talked to several dealers and one even suggested that next time I need a truck remember they are very busy May-Sept!!! WOW. I can't believe a business can operate so poorly and continue to stay in business, but I guess if you don't have much competition you don't have to worry about unhappy customers because people are still needing to move. I WISH I COULD GIVE LESS THAN 1 STAR. I also wish there was a way to rate dealerships separately.

Original review: July 31, 2018

The Owner would not credit me my $100.00 voucher even after it showed up on his computer in my reservation. He said he was not allowed to do it. You all would. I phoned you today. After holding on for 25 minutes I gave up, I tried CHAT, waited several minutes, typed in several statements and history of my rental. Still no service, checked another site. Came back in a couple of minutes & they said they waited 3 minutes & click off. Said they could not solve my problem.

Original review: July 27, 2018

My son is moving back home from college. He decided to rent a trailer and move home with apartment furniture. On his way home traveling from Mississippi to Los Angeles his trailer was stolen. He contacted the police and was told he should accept the loss because the likelihood of retrieving his personal effects would probably be zero. U-Haul does not have locks on the tail hitch. The thieves just lifted the trailer and hauled it off. U-Haul does not cover any items inside the trailer. The insurance only covers the trailer. Knowing now that this is very common theft he would of looked into other means of transport. Do not rent a trailer unless you want your stuff stolen! Beware of trying to save money and move yourself. U-Haul did not advise of this possibility when he rented the trailer. Very disappointed with U-Haul!

U-Haul Company Information