2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.22/5

U-Haul Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Excellent customer service! They do what it takes to earn your business. I can respect that! The BIG plus is that this business HONORS our Veterans!! TWO THUMBS UP!! Thank you Krissy **! (Oregon City) You did a remarkable job getting things back on track! My profound appreciation is extended to Nimsi, Cryssi, Robert ** (shout out to Tyler for his service in assisting in loading my car onto the auto transporter - super!) and finally Trayvon and his staff here in Spokane. Impressive folks! U-HAUL HAS NO COMPETITION!!! Their trucks waste no space - the Mom's Attic are super helpful!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I am 20 years old and paid in advance for the truck online. Long story short, I screwed up. Well, Judy ** helped me not only get my refund but also realize that people make mistakes and that's okay! By far the best customer service experience I have ever had. I stopped stressing and was even able to laugh. Love her.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Used UHaul as my moving company years ago. There weren't a lot of companies to choose from in my area so my choices were limited. I felt like the u-haul company was very expensive they did a good job but very pricey. I think if there was more competition then the prices would have been a lot more reasonable as they are now.. There is a package for everything. They even offer boxes for a price...

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was overall happy with the U-Box experience. The price was the most reasonable. Although you must be flexible with your deadlines. The boxes came at the right date, and were picked up at the right date. And they were delivered on the right date. But they did not remove the boxes on the right date. If that is fine with you, then I would fully recommend U-Haul U-Boxes.

Original review: April 20, 2019

4/12/19 All of these bad reviews make U-Haul sound really scary to deal with. I've had dealings with them in the past that went well and my most recent experience was no exception. I called and reserved a 26' truck, a dolly and moving blankets. The day before I was due to pick it up U-Haul called me and texted me to let me know that my pick up location had changed. It was actually closer to my house! BONUS.

The truck was a 2016 model that was in great shape with only 44,000 miles on it. Jerry was pleasant, efficient and very professional. I loaded the truck in one day and drove it 560 miles from Portland to Missoula without incident. I had the truck loaded to 21,650 pounds. Right up against the 22,000 GVWR and the V-10 Triton engine did just fine over two mountain passes It cost $240 in fuel all told. Jerry had given me an extra day to unload and return the truck but I didn't need it. They changed the drop off location but went out of their way to make sure I was notified. It was no big deal and again, it was actually closer to where I was located.

The cost to rent the truck, additional equipment and insurance was $1134.00. Penske want $1500 just for the truck before they tacked on all of the little fees that they charge. U-Haul has a few fees too but they were all explained beforehand. Try hiring a moving company to move 10,000 pounds of your stuff for $1350. NO WAY.

There were no additional charges to my credit card, no mix-ups, no breakdowns and no rude people that I dealt with. It was a pleasant experience that got done what I needed to get done. I would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, I need to move another load over in a week or two and I WILL be calling U-Haul. They haven't been around this long because they don't know what they're doing. I'm sure there are a few bad apples here and there but you'll find that in any industry. Don't ever blindly trust anyone. Look out for yourself first. Trust but verify and life will be easier for you. Most of the time the only thing you hear is the bad, THIS is the good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Needed to help get a friend out of a bad situation and rented truck (so I thought) for one night. The keys for the truck were NOT in the lockbox so the person on the phone continued giving box numbers until I found keys in a box. Found keys and the contract was supposed to be updated. The contract was never amended. Filed a STOLEN VEHICLE report with local POLICE. 6 days later finally straightened out and charged for larger vehicle for entire time.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I posted a credit card and reserved a trailer with U-Haul. They emailed me a confirmation with a pickup time and location. Based on their confirmation I hired a crew of guys to meet at my home to load the trailer. The location was closed, so after several emergency calls, U-Haul company representative wasn’t able to reach the location owner. U-haul did scheduled another location several miles away, which took over a hour of driving time. Paying people for doing nothing is very frustrating, especially when U-Haul failed to fulfill their obligations to supply a trailer at the proper time and location. They did apply a $50 credit that didn’t come close to covering my expenses. I contacted customer service and was told the $50 was the best management could do. I would highly recommend not using a company who provides more lip service than customer service.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I was held hostage and extorted by U-Haul. I made a one-way reservation for a truck from Vancouver WA to Molalla Oregon. I picked up the truck with no problems but when I went to return the truck in Molalla I was told that I need to return the truck in a different town, because Molalla had too many trucks and could not accept any returns. I spoke with the reservation manager on the phone and told her that I contracted to return in Molalla, but she told me that was not possible and I need to drive 30 minutes out of my way to take the truck to a different location. I told her that I don't see how that is my problem since my contract was to return to Molalla, and how many trucks they had there was their issue not mine.

When I insisted that I needed to drop off the truck in Molalla as we had agreed she got very belligerent and said if I dropped it off there I would be charged an Additional $400 for dropping off at the wrong location. I asked how can it be the wrong location when it is where I contracted to go. She told me that it is the wrong location because she is telling me it is, and I must drop off where she tells me to go. The drop off she wanted me to take the truck to was 25-30 minutes away. I said if I do that then I am not paying for extra mileage and gas. She said, "I will waive the extra miles if there are any but you have to pay for the gas!"

I have to pay for the gas to go out of my way to help you get a truck to where you want it to go and not where it is what I contracted for. This is Extortion, and I have heard of moving companies pulling this kind of shady stuff where they hold your belongings unless you pay a higher rate, but now it seems U-Haul has decided to extort customers and not allow them to drop off the truck at the location they contracted for a pay a very high fee. Very bad customer service and very poor business practice.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

U-Haul has failed to refund my money after over charging me $250. I was forced to wait 5 business days before they would action the incorrect refund. Now it has been 15 business days and I was just told that my refund is still not processed. I asked to speak to a manager and it was deflected with no option to look after it. I will pay more in the future to avoid this company at all costs!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I was stuck on the side of the highway, at night, for 6 hours with no Uhaul help. I called every 30 minutes and spoke with multiple customer service reps who claimed they were sending a mechanic out (we overheated and blew a line causing the truck to have no coolant). After the first hour, with no call back, we continued to call. After hour two with no call back, we were told that they were going to send a tow truck. After hour three, the truck was dispatched but didn't come for another 3 hours. Not only was the truck from over 1.5 hours away, but it was not equipped with the tools to remove the drive shaft from the truck, thus, making the tow longer.

What should have been a 2 hour trip back turned into a 9 hour, 25 degree, rainy, dark nightmare. The only positives of the night were the few managers who claimed we would get the full uhaul refund, Lyft refund (they towed us to our destination to unload but then left us there with no ride), gas refund, and refund for the time as we were late on the delivery.

After three weeks of calling customer service to check in on my customer action claim, I have yet to get one call back. I received one nasty email claiming that their help was adequate in the situation and that was it. Since the case, we have received money back for the Lyft and the uhaul, but they refuse to refund the gas (a lot in a 26 ft truck) or our time. Our case has since been escalated to a Marketing President but we have yet to hear back despite my weekly calls to customer service. All in all, good luck hearing back from this company whether you are stranded on the side of the road or trying to just speak with a manager or president about the case. All I want is a firm answer but have yet to get one. Do. Not. Rent. Uhaul.

Let us do the heavy lifting!

Take our two minute quiz to find the right moving company for you.

U-Haul Company Information