U-Haul

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was to pick up in Middletown and made a reservation weeks in advance for a 26' truck. On moving day the only 26' truck was one for sale and it wouldn't start. They didn't have any 20' trucks available. It took 45 minutes for Jake at U-Haul in Middletown to figure this out. I was sent 20 minutes away to Moraine for a 20' truck and when I got there the 20' truck they had was already reserved for a couple behind me that had been sent by the Miamisburg office to get a 20' truck. Miamisburg didn't have the 20' truck available they had reserved. Fortunately, the couple were kind enough to let me have the 20' truck and they took a 17' truck. Two hours lost while I had people at the house ready to help me move. I'm supposed to get a $50 reimbursement because U-Haul didn't keep their promise, but let's see how easy that will be!!!

I rented a U-Haul truck from this business. It was both dirty and the gas tank was on E though I was charged for 1/4 of a tank. The truck was rented for a 1300 mile journey to the Denver area. It made 500 miles before the first problem. There was a leak in the power steering system when it was started the next morning. It was resolved in 2-3 hours and we started on our way, with no complaints. 75 miles down the road we got a flashing warning sign and pulled off immediately. Oil was covering the truck and my car that was being towed, and more power steering fluid had leaked from a loose hose. Nearly 6 hours later it was fixed and we continued on our way, again with no complaints.

Within another 30 miles the same alarm went off and again we pulled over quickly. This time there was oil mixing with the water system. The same mechanic was sent and said this truck was not making any more miles. This took nearly 5 hours to get towed and checked into a hotel. We made a total of 100 miles in around 15 hours. The next day we had no option but to move the load ourselves into a new truck. This put us behind schedule even though I had allowed for an entire day of extra time. We had no choice but to drive through the night and then on less than a couple hours of sleep, unload the truck to get it to the return dealer on time, and so that my helpers could make their flights. In total we were delayed about 30 hours.

The customer service (U-haul) was mostly unhelpful in actually accomplishing anything despite their mildly apologetic attitude. Since the return they have been slow to respond and with an offering of $270ish for a refund of the $1033. Considering the position they put us in after delaying us by 30 hours due to their defunct truck this is not nearly enough. This truck had at least 3, likely 4, SEPARATE issues, which is clearly not a truck that is functional for a trip across the country. I consider the 'help' they offered the absolute bare minimum, not what should be compensated for this size of failure.

Their customer service follows the plan of make them give up before you give in. Not one time did I get an actual solution to any problem without having it dealt with on my own first. They never offered help in any way that was useful to me but only in what it would save them time or money. This all being said, the actual in person GMs that I spoke with at 2 different dealerships were friendly and as helpful as they could be (not very, due to corporate constraints).

I used U-Box to move my daughter from Ky to New Orleans. It was a nightmare. We loaded the box on 10/31/16, they guaranteed delivery on or before 11/10/16. The guarantee is in writing on my receipt. Based on that date, and even allowing for a day or two if it ended up late, my mother and I bought airline tickets and rented lodging in New Orleans to be there to help my daughter unpack and get settled in her apartment. Then I started getting emails confirming shipping on the 4, then 6, then 9th! I started calling U-Box to find out where the Box was in shipping and they could not tell me. What company nowadays does not have tracking?! To make a very long story short, the box arrived on the 15th, after I had to fly home. After I was out the cost of airline tickets, lodging, and food, we were not even there to help when the box arrived.

We looked at changing our flights to a couple of days later, but it was very expensive AND U-Haul could not confirm a delivery date. I called U-Haul at least 30 times over the course of the 2 week experience and I never got any help. At one point, they told us the box had actually arrived in New Orleans on Friday the 11th, but the truck was "broken", so they couldn't unload it there and had to take it to Baton Rouge. We said, well we can go get it there. But of course, the shipping company was "closed" all weekend. I don't believe any of it. I think they didn't ship it out of Kentucky when they said they would and just did not want to admit it. On the evening of Saturday the 12th, after I had called U-Haul corporate offices MANY times on Friday and Saturday, someone from the New Orleans location called to say the box was there and we could pick it up Sunday morning.

We thought "Woo Hoo", we can at least get it unloaded and get our daughter partially settled before we had to leave on Monday. We borrowed a pickup truck with a trailer hitch and went to get the box. Since we did not have moving helpers lined up for Sunday, we decided we would unload it ourselves. After waiting at the U-Haul counter for over an hour while they looked for our box, it turned out it was NOT our box. It was an empty box - someone there thought we had been calling to arrange for a box to load up. I could go on and on, but this would be too long. Just know that every single thing about this experience was a total nightmare. Do not use U-Box!

We have recently had 2 horrible experiences. The first we rented a truck to travel 1200 km with all our belongings. We filled up with gas and left home. About 100 km in, we realized that the gas gauge was not moving. At this point we were 100 km into the mountains, where there are no gas stations or towns for another 200 km (at least). We had topped off the tank before we left, however since the gas gauge did not work, we had no clue how much gas we currently had, or if the tank was even full when we left. We did make it to our final destination, and U-Haul gave us a 50% credit for the next time we rented. Uh thanks?

We then rented a trailer about a month ago. Figured, hey it's a trailer, what can go wrong? The U-Haul rep hooked up the trailer to our truck, we drove about 2 km, loaded up the trailer with a friend's belongings. We then drove about 400 km and unloaded the trailer. The truck and trailer were parked for the weekend, and then 2 days later we started to drive back to our original starting point. About half way there, there was a bump in the road and the trailer came off the hitch. It smashed into our bumper and did quite a bit of damage. When we initially drove with the trailer full, we stopped about 4 times in 400 km and tightened up the trailer, as the hitch kept coming loose. My husband said it was quite common with that type of hitch and was not surprised, which is why he kept checking.

On the way home we checked once, but it was soon after that it came off. When it came off, the trailer brakes did not work either. We made a claim with U-Haul and they said that they would have their insurance company call us back. We did end up hearing from an extremely cranky and rude woman at the insurance company. She kept changing her story as I asked her more questions. But basically, they denied any claim for the following reasons. We drove 399 miles before the trailer came off. (She originally told me that after 400 miles were drove, there is different insurance depending on how far you drive?, when I questioned her about this again, she changed it and said that we drove 400 miles, not 399, and it wasn't an official rule, it's just something they take into consideration).

She also said that because the trailer was away from a U-Haul location for more than 24 hours, they don't know where it was or if we did anything to it, so we could have caused the damages. She also told us that U-Haul is not supposed to connect the trailers themselves, we are supposed to connect it to our own vehicle. When we told her that U-Haul connected it, her story changed and she said that she was going to check the video to ensure it was installed properly. We asked her about the video. She said that she could see the U-Haul rep hooking up the trailer, but could not see his actual hands or the hitch. I asked how she knew he did it properly, and she said because of the time he was there. WHAT???? They also refused to provide any copy of the video to us.

When I tried to rent a 6-foot x 12-foot trailer from these guys, a chain-smoking lady at the counter said I had to buy a tow-bar from them before they would let me rent the trailer and pull it with my Toyota 4Runner. I just called them, and a hitch guy said I only needed a hitch with a two-inch ball to pull the 6x12 trailer. Renter beware. Don't let them tell you you have to have a special tow bar or any such nonsense. We ended up going with a neighboring U-Haul dealer and pulled the trailer just fine across country with just our hitch and U-Haul-provided chains attached to the hitch part of the trailer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

My family has used U-Haul several times and every time our experience has been horrible. We will not use them again! When your family is moving and you reserve a truck for a specific day you expect it to be there and ready. Each time we're used U-Haul we show up to get the truck and it's not there and we are told we need to drive 30-60 miles away to get another truck. This is unacceptable. We had people ready to help us each time and then they all had to wait around with no truck to load. Moving is stressful enough as it is without having these issues! We gave them several chances and every time we had awful customer service and our needs were not met to our expectations. Why even bother reserving a truck if it's not going to be there?

I rented a U-Haul truck in Massachusetts in late August 2016 to move my daughter from Massachusetts to Indiana. I bought the insurance that was offered by the U-Haul agent. Along the way we hit lots of rain in Pennsylvania. Upon arriving home we parked the truck in my driveway. Upon opening the truck and removing the furniture we found several pieces, including a king size mattress that had water damage. I could not figure out where it came from, but when I returned the truck to the U-Haul dealer, a regional representative was there and did an inspection. He found a hole in the roof and told me to file a claim which I did.

After obtaining all the documentation, such as estimates, pictures, and replacement costs I submitted the claim. Two months later I received a statement from Repwest that said they do not cover water damage. They also said it was U-Haul's fault for renting to me a damaged truck. U-Haul has not responded. So, there is some consumer rage here in Indiana.

The service was absolutely terrible. It took 30 minutes to just locate where we had broken down and we were on the side of an interstate between Madison and Milwaukee, not in the middle of nowhere. I gave multiple, detailed descriptions (including GPS coordinates) of where we were located and both myself and my wife tried to use the GPS location text U-haul sent and it did not work.

Next, U-haul did not trust my judgement when I told them the truck would most definitely need to be towed as the front wheel bearing had blown and the wheel mount was grinding on the axle. Thus they decided to send a service rep (without a tow truck) to my location to decide whether the truck really need a tow or not. The rep (a friendly man thankfully) arrived 30 minutes later (putting us at 1 hr. on the side of the busy interstate) and sure enough he confirmed the truck needed to be towed. He then had to call U-haul to request a tow truck, which of course took another 20-30 minutes even though the service rep urged U-Haul to act quickly as we were stuck in a precarious spot. Mind you, the time is now about 5:30 Pm after breaking down at around 4-4:15 PM, so it is beginning to get dark.

U-Haul then gave us an ETA of 90 minutes for the tow truck to arrive at our location to tow our truck and transport us to our final destination. Not only was the ETA absurd for such a populated area but the real kicker was that U-Haul was only concerned with towing their truck not my personal trailer which I was using the U-Haul truck to tow. In fact there was hardly a thing in the back of the truck itself. The sole reason for me to rent the truck was to pull my trailer but U-Haul made it perfectly clear that my trailer was not their responsibility and I would have to figure out how to get it off the interstate myself.

Luckily I was only about an hour from my destination which was my parents house and they were able to come help us off the side of the road. My dad was able to go to a store buy a new trailer hitch, replace a stuck hitch with the new one, drive an hour to us (with traffic), pick up my wife, me and my trailer in the dark and arrive home before U-Haul was able to get a tow truck to their broken down truck (I know this because the tow company dropped off the truck at my parents house about 1-1.5 hrs after we arrived home).

All in all, I had to speak to 5-6 different U-Haul customer service reps, make many phone calls to U-Haul because their communication was poor, describe my location 3-4 separate times, describe my situation 3 separate times and provide my own ride and trailer tow to my final destination. If I did not have help from my parents I would have had to wait for U-Haul's service on the side of the interstate for about 3.5 hours (half of that time in the dark) and they would have left my trailer on the side of the interstate.

I am very courteous to customer service people. I understand they deal with difficult people who are oftentimes wrongly and overly upset with them and so I try to be patient and calm if not kind when I am speaking with them. Of course, after multiple phone calls and hours of getting us nowhere, I am sure the frustration showed in my speech. Although almost all the reps I spoke with were respectful and at least trying to be helpful, there were 2 reps that became short with me. This I believe to be unacceptable as after all my wife and I were the ones on the side of the interstate in the dark.

Lastly, I requested to speak to someone about obtaining a refund on Friday morning (the day after the incident occurred). It is now Tuesday and I have not received a call even though they said I would be called in two days (I assumed they meant business days). Although U-Haul is a huge company and so I understand they must have a lot going on, I have to conclude they do not show much care for the individual customer.

We were moving out of state. Reserved a rental truck one way storage included for 1 month. From the beginning of making the reservation down to the mess up was unbelievably wrong. I called 1 month in advanced reserved prescribed date and time and the specifics of what I needed. I called every week and they stated everything was fine and repeated my order. Also saying scheduling would call 1-2 days for location and time. 2 days before my reservation they call to confirm but had my time wrong. I specifically stated I requested a certain time a month before and called to confirm cause I had movers set. The guy told me nothing he can do and he sorry. Poor customer Service. He couldn't refer me to another location.

Needless to say I had to reserve another truck through a different competitor, pay for storage and double pay my movers not only to load but unload and was lucky they did it cause they had another job scheduled. Luckily we finished in the time they were supposed to be. Had they just loaded they would of been done earlier but used up the extra time to unload. Needless to say I ended up leaving my stuff behind and now have to come up with extra money to go back to get it.

I complained to U-Haul filed the report not one but twice. Still no response. I get a call from the storage unit wanting payment for my storage unit when month was up and found out U-Haul cancelled my truck but not the free storage. I was lucky the guy canceled it again with no charge. It's been 2 months and still haven't answered my complaint.

My brother is friends with one of the corporate U-Haul associates in az. I emailed her and she replied back she look into it. That was a month ago and still waiting with no call back no emails of any updates. I used U-Haul for 30 yrs for my moving needs. Never again will I use them again. They lie they cant get your reservation right and they don't comply with fixing their mess ups. Unfortunately you have to rate with one star to go any further. I'm rating 0 stars. You all suck U-Haul. Very unlikely will refer you to anyone who needs a move.

On Oct 20, 2016 I made an online reservation at U-Haul for a tow dolly. U-Haul has a reservation guarantee which says "When you make a reservation, we guarantee to provide you with the equipment, location, and pick up time agreed. Should you not receive the equipment size, location, and pick up time you agreed to U-Haul will compensate you $50." I received a call from U-Haul the day before my scheduled pick up day saying the equipment was not available at the location in my reservation and that I would need to drive to a location 40 miles away. U-Haul will not honor the reservation guarantee since I agreed to go to the other location. I only agreed to do this because at this point I had no option. Their reservation guarantee is misleading and worthless.

When I went to the other location to pick up the tow dolly I noted one of the straps was torn. They indicated they do not keep the replacement straps and that I would need to drive the dolly back to the location where I had made my original reservation to have the strap replaced. This is the second time this has happened to me where U-Haul sent me to a non-official U-Haul site (one at a convenience store and one at a used car lot) where I had to wait a very long time because they don't have staff dedicated to U-haul equipment and then had to drive equipment to official an U-Haul site to have the equipment repaired. In summary don't plan on picking up the equipment where you reserved it, don't expect them to honor their reservation guarantee, and allow time for equipment to be transported and repaired at another U-Haul site.

U-Haul has the worse service ever and we will never use them again. We had damage to our vehicle caused by faulty equipment from U-Haul. We cannot get any answers from them at all. We also used moving crews through U-Haul, one to load and one to unload at our new location. Movers at the new home were an hour or so late, we have quite a bit of damage to furniture and they just kept saying they needed to hurry so one of the guys could get to his second job. They hit walls with furniture leaving places on both the walls and the furniture. No apologies from them at all. Think twice before you use a company that is so unprofessional and good luck if you have damages.

I will never ever use UHaul again to move my belongings. We received a truck and dolly with unsafe chains on it. We picked the truck up at Mesa Rd and it got to US-59 and I-20 West of Shreveport, LA and broke down. We wasted a day in Shreveport and had to rent a motel room. Things went from bad to worse. We were sent to the Hollywood Blvd location in Shreveport. They were useless. Sent us a mechanic who was useless.

They did finally send us to the Hearne Rd location and those people were helpful. The truck that we were transferred into that had just been serviced had no oil in it. I found that problem myself. The truck we ended up taking to North Carolina had severe issues with the headlights. Their equipment is crap. I would strongly suggest looking at other companies.

If you do take theirs do a full safety inspection and check it out completely. Their people do a very poor job. I am giving U-Haul no stars as their equipment and their process is broken. We did recover a small amount of money from them but they cost us extra time, extra dollars and a world of aggravation. This requires I do at least one star. Frankly they do not even deserve that. I am pissed and will find every site that I can to voice my opinion and I do intend to write the president of UHaul. You think that they are one company. Nope, they have a structure that no one is at fault. I have used U-Haul for 40 years. Never again!

I had rented a U-Haul truck for the week to move some stuff from my house to a storage unit! U-Haul had offered me one month free! I agreed! It was on the twenty first of the month May. Well the second month had rolled around it was not even near the 21st of august and I knew that I had to Pay the bill so I called them to find out when the bill would be late and how much the late fees would be! Well they said I was already late and that the fees were 182 and change! Well I called the place directly and told them I need to get into the unit for some stuff that I was selling. They asked what! Now I should not have told them because they immediately put a lien on the unit and so I am not able to get anything out of the unit.

Having just called them they said that I could pay 1/2 the bill and would be allowed 24 hours to get all of my stuff out! So I made arrangements with them to get my stuff out on the third of November! But hopefully I can get it out sooner if ever according to their standards! They are lying cheating ** and I will never recommend them, for anything! So they can stick this review in their crack pipe and smoke it!! Also a foot note about the rental department! When I rented the truck I did not have a drivers license! Thus they should not have rented me a truck!!! However they did, but I had to have a licensed driver for it! Well I did but they took no information from her! So when she stole the truck and went joy riding around town I called them and told them that.

I could not bring the truck in at the moment because of the situation so they said to bring it in the next day! I agreed! However the truck still was not back! So I waited and then had to drive the truck in myself! But since they had not taken any information from the supposed driver I was stuck with the bill and the mileage! Now instead of the $700.00 for the week I was stuck with the full $1200 plus bill even though I told them what had happened!

Overall horrible experience utilizing U-Hauls U-Box for my move from WI to CO. I heard it was an easy and well worth the costs to move this way. I was contracted for a guaranteed delivery date of the U-Box to my new home in CO on Sunday October 2nd, 2016. Guaranteed arrival date changed on the day/time of drop off of the U-Box in WI without warning prior. I then was told if they were to pick up the filled unit 3 days early they would ensure the delivery date would remain the same and not change.

Rushing to fill the unit within 24hrs for that new pick up time/date, after I called numerous times speaking with over a dozen associates/management throughout the week wasting hours being told the delivery date would remain the same, still the U-box was delivered after guarantee/contracted date. The U-Box was then delivered 2 days later. At one point they didn't even have my new address for delivery even after talking to multiple associates and in addition was even told they do not make deliveries on Sundays once I finally received the U-box, so why did the company contract a guaranteed Sunday delivery date?!

The massive issue was I arranged movers based on the initial booking of the U-Box and the guarantee arrival date which now I am out $$$ and NO assistance to empty the box into my 2nd floor unit. Never received the promised $50 late delivery date reimbursement either and probably won't as I had to file an additional costumer complaint.

The only employee that was great at the very end of this entire ordeal was the Manager ** at the U-Haul Moving & Storage at Buckley Rd. in CO. I am so very disappointed U-Haul with your overall services. Associates lied as well as management throughout this process which makes an awful customer service experience. This entire process left me feeling deceived, being lied to over and over again, to the point it brought me to tears multiple times. I will never use or recommend the company based on this horrible experience!

I was trying to get a 16" or 17" truck and I saw that their web page says "Lowest Price Guaranteed" and is not true because Budget had 20% off. So with U-Haul the truck will be $30 with environmental fee plus $0.99 per mile and with Budget $23.99 with $0.71 per mile. I think that is important for all business to have feedback from the customers because they are giving information in the web page that is not true. When I tried to contact customer service they told me, "we don't match prices and Budget charge another fees" (is not true neither) and the lady hang off the phone to me. I was not looking for a discount, I was trying to give feedback to them, so be careful when you want to rent a truck. You can find another companies with better prices and great service.

I booked 5' X 8' trailers 3 weeks Before the dated 23 /9/2016 for traveling to adjacent town event to Calgary, I was surprised 2 days before the pick up they eliminated my booking and give my trailer to someone else and no availability of it in all Calgary on 24/9/2016. I was treated with mental anguish and stressed because of: No trailer on 24/10 is available 5' X 8' trailers which can make me lose 1500$-2000$ sales in an event. Under stress - being a mobile food truck owner - I was offered a 6' X 12' trailer. It does not have a jack lever to help lift trailer tongue on the hitch back when loaded!!! It is very heavy to attach and need roadside assistance; U-Haul ask me 225 $ to send me a tow truck just to lift the tongue and the hitch ball on my vehicle. This trailer is supposed to cost me 19.95 $ a day; they took 60 $ on my debit visa card.

Upon dropping the trailer the following day on Barlow trail branch, all entrance and streets surrounding this U-Haul center were fully closed and blocked with U-Haul trucks on west, south and east sides, no way to enter or drop your trailer at location! I call emergency assistance; to drop it in another near location in Blackfoot trail SE, they refused or robbing me in more $$$ extra-charges!!! I informed them I have to drop the trailer on EAST side street beside another U-Haul truck and I did as I have to return it on same location NE. Dummy customer service wrote my name wrong on their database make it impossible to track my file for the refund of my money 39.95 $ left. Answer NO Money as OBJECTION! Providing the fact that I fired complaint to U-Haul 24/7 office assistance.

The trailer without lift jack stands against customer body safety as it can cause back injury. I reported a complaints to roads Canada transport asking them to send professional inspector(s) to U-Haul. It a process of money $$$ Robbery, abusing physically and mentally-emotionally me as U-Haul customer in just one day renting... extremely Bad Company and/or Branch. When I legally threat them by taking them to court sue legal action they change the story by saying "We will send your cheque in 3 weeks" and god knows WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. I REPORTED THIS MATTER TO THE CEO OF U-HAUL. HIS CELL PHONE: **. I am waiting for his correction response after we talked.

I went to the online site to "reserve" two 26 foot trucks on 8/18/2016 for a move on 10/7/2016. I received a confirmation number and thought I was all set for my move. On 10/5/2016 I received a call from U-Haul stating they did not have my truck at the location I had specified. If I wanted these two trucks I would have to drive 70 miles to pick up the truck. It turns out that you are not making a reservation but merely suggesting you would like to pick up a truck at the location on the specified date. DO NOT BE MISLEAD. You are not being guaranteed anything. SO if you need a firm truck on a firm date DO NOT USE U-HAUL. They are not dependable. To make matters even worse I tried to call the Stevenson location in Springfield IL and spent AN HOUR waiting to confirm my pickup time. This was one of the worst business experiences I have had in many years.

Damage was done to my vehicle from the rental company's mistake when a friend borrowed my vehicle. My friend filed the complaint about the damages done and let me know that the rental company would contact me which they did. I was given information to obtain a repair estimate and it would be fixed right away. I provided repair estimate within 1 week and was told U-Haul area manager would contact me which they never did and I also left messages with the area manager to please call me back. After a month asking what's going on I was forwarded to U-Haul's insurance company and I gave them everything they needed including the repair estimate and proof of ownership of vehicle and now still 5 months later my vehicle is still damaged.

Now I get my estimate reviewed and they revise it today saying they found cheaper parts. I'm sorry I don't want cheap parts on my vehicle when if it was damage I or anyone else cause to their equipment insure they are not going to let us go find cheaper parts to repair their equipment. My estimate was from a body shop that is reputable and has been in business for years. This experience I have had with U-Haul has made me choose to not rent or purchase anything from them. I thought maybe I would have my attorney get involved but I really would like to resolve this case without them.

On 9/6/16 I called the #800 to reserve a truck for a moving date of 10/1/16. I spoke to a young woman who was very nice and professional, however to lack of U-Halls customer service training model, they do not inform the customer that when you call the #800 your call is then dispatched out to a store location. You have to then wait for the call center to inform the store in your area where you live to HOLD not actually RESERVE the truck for you! This could mean that the truck MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be available when you call to make your reservation.

So on 9/20/16 I called back to make sure my reservation was secure and all good and was told yes I was all set. Well that was a LIE! I then received a call on 9/29/16 at 7:15am from the store manager who made his disappointing calls to inform me that the truck I had reserved was no longer going to be available because it was deemed "Not customer ready". What! So then I was told that they have to take the truck to be repaired because apparently there was an accident in that truck & they can't send it out for the next customer to reserve and that someone would give me a call back when a truck is available.

I then get a call from another person who delivered more bad news and stated that they did have a truck but it was only a "20 ft" foot truck, I didn't ask for a "20 ft" truck, top of that they then stated that I would have to go another location to pick it up. Now how is that good customer service? What promise as their voice recording states. They make promises but does not keep them. If am moving at 10:00am why would I take a truck that is out of my way and then reschedule my help and truck for a later time. They told me they would have a truck at 4pm that day. U-Hall needs to retrain their staff on inventory and not tell customers that they will have a truck on the day they reserved. This can be very upsetting to the customer.

My son rented a Uhaul for me last month and we traded it out for bigger truck, that truck broke down on interstate 40 middle of the interstate truck went from 60-0 in less than 5 minutes no time to get onto shoulder. Police came and rescued me 15 minutes later kept 18 wheelers of me til tow truck came! Towed truck to garage and took me home, I was told I would be refunded for all the trouble and I wouldn't have to pay anymore after this point, all lies!!!

I had to wait the next day to find out the truck couldn't be fixed and had to be towed to my destination to be unloaded, and they gave me another truck whole day wasted. Was able to get another truck that night at 7 pm. Mind you trucks are normally turned in by the time you normally pick up. Our time was 10 am we got call after call to return the truck after we lost the whole day!! So they extended the time out and we finished moving. We returned the truck clean like asked but since they said I didn't have to pay for anything else we figured that was all, NOPE!! They charged us another 30.53 for gas because we didn't fill the truck up!!

After countless calls to the insurance provider because stuff was damaged in the move was told that has to be covered by homeowner's insurance, and was told we would get refund of all monies spent, that we still haven't seen!! This was the WORST moving experience EVER and I wouldn't use them again if they were the LAST moving company on the earth!!! They are nothing but liars and they don't refund as promised!!! And now when I call they put me on hold until that times out and the call ends. So needless to say they know who I am!! Just sorry company and they don't stand by their word!

From the very beginning of booking with U-haul we experienced problems. First the time the ubox would be delivered was not accurate. It arrived hours prior to the scheduled time and we had to rush away from previous commitments to be at home for the delivery as it is required. Following this, the ubox was picked up late, which in turn the box didn't make it onto the connecting mode of transportation. This resulted in U-haul changing the guarantee date of delivery to its destination without warning to us. This compounded problems for us as we had arranged flights for a family of 5 to Calgary from Toronto based on the initial booking of the box and the guarantee arrival of it.

In speaking to U haul we were assured it would be delivered on time. Later upon the 5 of us arriving in Calgary, we were informed (upon our call not theirs) that the box was in transit or was in the yard and hadn't been processed. They weren't sure where it was or when it would be delivered!! It was imperative that we get that box on the Monday as we were guaranteed by the original email on booking that it would be in Calgary Sunday. Long story short, it did not arrive and we had to incur expenses of a hotel and food that was not planned. We were to stay in my daughters place and obviously without any furniture etc that wouldn't be happening.

Finally later the following afternoon after we had placed several calls, the box was scheduled to arrive in 1/2 hour. Great!! No not great, they wanted us to hold a spot on the road for the truck and box for easier delivery for them and we waited on the side of the road for over two hours. Next it arrives only for us to find that it had been bolted shut! We didn't have any tools so now the process of getting some to get that darned box opened!! The delivery guy wanted to go ask our neighbours. We didn't know any of them and that wasn't our problem. Finally it is opened, we empty it and move my daughter into her new place. Kim from Calgary promised us a $150.00 credit for the delay. Fine. Later we found it had not been processed or the complaint of no return calls as promised, or the resolution for the additional expenses incurred etc.

When home we started calling u haul once again to be transferred off to several different departments/people. All of which nobody would assume the role to figure anything out but always say it wasn't their department. Especially of interest is the Ontario (Brampton) office kept saying it was the Calgary office department that had to look after this and Calgary would refer us to Ontario. So we started this process in July and here we are in September!! Still no resolution, no credit even on the guarantee delivery reimbursement! Nobody wants to take charge, nobody apparently is in charge.

Here are some of the names of people I spoke to: Kim (many times), Cassandra (at least 4 times), C-Ung (don't know how you spell it - thats how it is pronounced), Sherry, Jason, Francisco, Taylor, Diane, Johnny, Debra, Sherne... The list goes on and then todays list of people. Seriously horrible customer service! Nobody ever calls you back, nothing is ever resolved, and obviously they don't care. Someone called a Traffic Control Manager was to call me. Never did. Apparently that is the highest point I can get to. Please help me!!!

For the waste of time on hold, the waste of time calling, the literally hundreds of phone calls, the failed customer service promises, the failed guarantee they offer. I deserve a HUGE credit!!! The stress is too much, especially during the time we spent in Calgary not knowing if the box would arrive before our return flight. We were supposed to have a couple days to enjoy each other, sight see, and unwind but we only had one day and by that time we were mentally and physically exhausted. U haul needs to treat their customers with respect and meet deadlines. When they fail, they need to step up and fix it! This is just a baseline for what happened... Imagine what I could add if I went into detail!

U haul would often tell me they couldn't find my order # so I would tell them to try my husbands cell # which they could find info then. The name the contract was under - Tim ** and the box was originally delivered to **. As well they keep trying to tell me the contract was for a dolly and blankets. If that was the case why did they bill me for a u box?!! Then put the credit back for that and charge me for a dolly and blankets... So much cheaper! I can access emails of the original transaction as well as when u haul changed the information without our consent or advising us. Either way it would have been too late to change our flights! Thank you.

So, to be clear, I rented 2 U-boxes, in addition to a small trailer. The first box I received was obviously unopened. It was wrapped in green Saran Wrap type plastic wrapped around the box, along with documentation that included my name, and the box's destination. In addition, there was 2 bolts and nuts tightly holding the box closed. The second box I received was much different. The green plastic wrap was completely missing. Only 1 bolt was installed, and missing its nut. As a matter of fact, I asked the Joplin U.H. employee to please remove the nuts & bolts that were installed on the first box, as they were time consuming, and slightly difficult to remove.

The employee said "what bolts?" He said he was new, and didn't understand. We both then walked out to my box, that was then attached to my truck. I went to show him, and discovered there was only the single bolt, and no nuts. I commented, and then he said "Is this your lock?" I said it was, and then he sighed with relief. I then stupidly took my second U-Box to my current home. Once home, I then opened the box less than 2 hours after arriving. I immediately noticed the contents of the box was arranged much different than I packed it. There was also much less items in it than when I personally closed and locked it.

About 1:50pm call U-Haul in Kalispell, MT to get a hitch installed. They take the vehicle info, check parts, assure me they have everything in stock, "right here". They offer a 2PM appointment. I tell them I have to drive an hour and 15 minutes, so we make it 3pm. Just after 3pm I show up, no hitch, no installer. I didn't talk to a person on Kalispell. It rang through to the call center. The call center is either full of lies or has very, very wrong information. Thanks for the wasted 2.5 hour drive, $15 in gas. To be clear, the people in Kalispell were great, unable to help, but nice. This isn't the first time the call center has thrown them under the bus.

Even worse, this is the third attempt I made at getting a hitch appointment in the same day. The first scheduled it 2 hours before the location opens on a day they are all booked up. The second try they scheduled it on a day the location is closed (or at least doesn't install hitches). All three issues were because the call center schedules and promises things that the local locations can't deliver.

U-Haul sucks. My mom reserved a truck and then turn around uhaul decides it's okay to rent it to someone else right out from under us. We don't appreciate that considering the amount of money that we have put into the U-Haul already. People need to get their stuff straight! Thanks.

Where can I rate the negative stars? My story is very simple. They have a "Your reservation is guaranteed or we will give you $50." policy. All I can expect is for them to follow through. I am not asking for much. Moving is not easy! All I wanted was a truck to move 17' for 48 hours, since they could not do it. I said I found this on the website. I ask to please have my $50. They said "no problem we will process it." Then I never received it. I later received an email said "You are all set to pick up your truck in Malden." I was like this is crazy. I cancelled my reservation!

And when I called they were charging me $400+ so I said "listen the bank cancelled my debit card as I had a problem with identify theft. Can you guys just keep it as a credit, and I will use it when I need the truck which I won't need this weekend because my closing date was moved, but it will be sometime in September." They are refusing to do it. The bank does not have the money. U-Haul refuses to give me a credit for giving me such a hard time and not following through. Horrible!

I booked a 10' truck on July 18th for a July 30th move and booked Mythic Movers in Berkeley for help with driving/picking up the truck, and loading/unloading. I estimated the move would take about 3 hours at most and that it would require one trip in the truck. I was moving from a 300 square foot studio apartment in downtown Berkeley, to a 1-bedroom condo in Oakland. I had about 30 medium-sized boxes, less than 10 pieces of furniture most of which were lightweight or able to be disassembled, nothing excessively fragile. Just a simple move, something I've done over 10 times in the past 12 years.

For reference, when I moved across the country from Brooklyn to Berkeley and hired a professional moving company, my possessions took up about 350 cubic feet and the movers charged me $1300 to load everything, drive the truck to California, and place my possessions in storage for a month until my lease out here started. It took two hours for three guys to carry my possessions (54 pieces) down six flights of stairs in 90-degree heat and load the truck. My point is, I feel I had a realistic perception of the "worst case scenario."

Under the circumstances since it was a local move and only about 4 miles, a 20-30 minute drive at most. I reasoned that I could get a 10' truck and a couple of movers and still get it done for about $500 maximum. Mythic charged $160 for two hours plus $78 for each additional hour and the truck was about $120. So it seemed like this whole thing would work out as planned.

I received barely 24 hours' notice that I'd be picking up the truck at 5:30 pm. The person who called me from the 6th Street U-Haul pickup location in Berkeley was vague and did not speak clearly. Rather than attempting to help me directly or answer my questions, they made me call the general customer service number. I had counted on being able to move out first thing in the morning and put that as my preference, which was not indicated clearly on the website at all. When I called customer service to express my frustration, the agent hung up on me.

I called the movers and let them know the truck would not be available until 5:30. It was also a surprise to me that I'd have to have them pick it up in Berkeley instead of Emeryville. Again, I had put Emeryville as my preference because it was easier for me to get there via public transit if necessary. Again, this was all the day before -- Friday, July 29th -- for a move I had started planning two weeks in advance. My plan then became to move in the evening and then once the apartment was empty, stay overnight to clean and paint so that I could be out by Sunday at noon (required by my building management company) and get my security deposit back. Originally, I would have done this Saturday afternoon but since I could not get the truck until 5:30, it was impossible.

On the day of the move, I was getting ready and finishing my packing at about 3:00 when the U-Haul location in Berkeley called to ask if I could pick up the truck at 5 instead of 5:30 because apparently they closed at 5:30. When I asked why this was not mentioned to me yesterday, they were evasive and vague. I called the movers to let them know of the second schedule change. They said they'd probably still get there closer to 5:30. I'm imagining they had another job that day. I called the U-Haul in Berkeley back and told them and they said it was fine, just to get there as close to 5:30 as possible.

At 5:30, the movers showed up to pick up the truck and the U-Haul office in Berkeley called to tell me they could not rent to me because of an "E-Alert" on my account due to an outstanding charge from a prior rental. I had never rented from U-Haul before so this was impossible. They once again told me to call customer service to figure it out. Not once did Mythic Movers suggest renting through them, and they were vague as to why I could not, when I asked.

Not once did the person I spoke with at U-Haul in Berkeley suggest I get someone else to rent the truck for me, which in my panic was not something I thought of. As stated, it was imperative that I be out of the apartment by Sunday afternoon in order to get my security deposit back, which was over $1400. Not a single person even mentioned that U-Haul in Berkeley would close soon. I figured they were staying open to be able to handle this issue. They were apparently unable to find the source of the E-Alert or release it from their end. I was passed off to the general customer service number again.

I spoke with Melinda who finally determined that somehow my New York State ID number had gotten attached to someone else's name, who had fraudulently attempted to rent a truck using my ID number. For whatever reason, nobody at U-Haul in Berkeley could see this information and once again, they were rude and unhelpful when I explained the crisis I was in. When we got disconnected and I tried to call back, they did not answer. When Melinda tried to call to resolve the issue with them, they did not answer, which wasted valuable time for me.

For what it's worth, I do recall getting a strange text from what I assumed at the time was Mythic Movers with their payment code, and the URL being uhal.com (perhaps misspelled). It was on my phone and I hurriedly clicked on it, then closed the browser not realizing it might have been a bad URL, figuring I'd deal with it later. This may or may not have contributed to this incident. I really don't know, I just wanted my truck.

Melinda sent me a screenshot of the name she saw on her end who'd tried to rent my truck and caused the E-Alert to show up. By this time, the U-Haul location in Berkeley had closed without telling me, the movers left without telling me, it was almost 8:00 on Saturday, and I had no truck and no way to be out by the next day. I booked a second U-Haul figuring I'd just pay the E-Alert and work out it with the billing department later as per Melinda's suggestion. However, I still had no one available to drive it, so I then canceled that booking.

Out of desperation, I booked a mover with a pickup truck through TaskRabbit for $780. The move took six hours and two trips and I still had to carry things, which I had not planned on. I had to pay two additional people $75 each to cover this. So it was $930 and it took twice as long. I also lost $300 from my security deposit for my apartment. If my original plan had worked out, I would not have spent that much. The entire situation was extremely emotionally traumatic for me and cost me more than double the time, resources, money, and energy. When I first contacted U-Haul, they said the most they could offer me was fifty dollars, which is ridiculous. It's also taken me a month to try and resolve this.

Never again will I rent from this company. Customer service sucks. I never did get that trailer that I rented and had confirmation for.

My son rented U-Haul enclosed moving truck for over 700+ mile move. Dual tires on rear. Uncle checked tires prior to leaving and said the inside dual tire looked like it would not make the trip as it was a different height from the tire next to it. He was correct. Tire blew on Tehachapi Pass in CA, a somewhat dangerous area for a disabled vehicle. Took 3 hours for tire service to arrive. 3 hours sitting on the side of the road, not acceptable. Upon completing the trip and returning the truck to a local U-Haul dealer we remarked about the tire problem. The response, "We don't do tires". In other words U-Haul does not check the tires, or for that matter fluids, prior to renting out the vehicle. If that tire had been a front tire the results would have been devastating.

An issue also occurred with my other son when he rented a U-Haul to move cross country. Ineffective brakes coming down the mountain into Albuquerque, NM. My recommendation if you are considering renting anything from U-Haul - don't do it. They apparently operate unsafe vehicles. Your life is more important. In reviewing the posts of others who have rented from U-Haul, it appears to me someone should legally take U-Haul to task for their business practices and unsafe vehicles.

I have used several truck rental companies in the past, Budget, Penske, and U-Haul. Have used U-Haul twice before and each time, when I went to pick up my truck I was shoved off to another location. One was more than 25 miles away. Third times a charm they say, so I made another reservation with a U-Haul location just around the corner on 8/15/16. Did express check-in this morning (8/29/26) and then because I've been burned twice, called the actual pick up location and guess what? No truck. I don't care what the explanation is, reservations made and not kept, blah blah whine whine. Three times U-Haul made a reservation and three times I have been screwed over by the site not having a truck where I initially reserved it. But oh, since I have to go miles away to get a truck I get charged additional mileage that wasn't initially required. The old nickel and dime scheme.

U-Haul, this is the absolute last time I will even consider using your business, and if anyone ever asks me I will be more than happy to share my stories and as truth is an absolute defense, go ahead and claim defamation. U-Haul obviously knows absolutely zero about customer satisfaction and doesn't care about it because in my personal experience this sort of thing has happened over a 10-year period and is still happening. If I had the time to get another truck from another rental company I would, but can't risk it. So I'll pay the extra miles, get my move over and be done with U-Haul forever.

Shame the lowest score I could give is 1 star because in this customer's opinion, U-Haul is negative stars. If you are considering renting a truck from U-Haul, think twice and check their competitors. Oh I almost forgot. The rentals "my" truck was given to were heading out of state whereas I would have returned the truck to the same location after moving in town. Can we guess why "my" reservation was not honored?

I am extremely displeased with my experience and I have STILL (almost a month later) received ZERO response from U-HAUL. I have never written feedback about anyone online before, but I will write terrible reviews about U-HAUL anywhere I can until there is some sort of resolution. I have tried to contact several times, and I will continue until I have some sort of closure. To start with, my UBox was delivered 45 minutes late by a company that U-Haul suggested. The delivery people told me it was U-Haul's fault; however, I was guaranteed a specific time and as such, I took off the appropriate 2 hours needed to supervise the workers that U-Haul provided to help load.

When they informed me at the time they were supposed to arrive (12:30 pm) that they were running late, I had no choice but to start carrying my boxes on my own. 45 minutes later, the only things left to carry were my bed, box springs, couch, and bed frame. Because they were so late, I was in a hurry and needed to get back to work. Luckily my brother in law was able to help me at the end when I needed to leave before they were done loading. However, given that I was rushed, they were unable to put my couch in the UBox. There would have been plenty of room if I had time to prioritize what could go in, but given the time crunch, I just had to trust their opinion that it would be better to get the boxes in.

So now I need to buy a new couch. I have pictures of all of this: proof that they were 45 minutes late, that I carried all of my boxes out before they arrived, that the movers did a crappy job filling the box (there was still plenty of space left) but that I had to leave before they finished to get back to work given that they were late. I also have a picture showing that U-Haul loaded the box backwards which took 15 minutes to get sorted out when they arrived which meant that the loading was a WHOLE HOUR delayed from when it was supposed to occur. Eventually someone from U-Haul called me and said I would be reimbursed for the delivery and loading (which I was charged $306.95 for even though I was only quoted $222.95--still not sure why that happened and looking for an answer); however, I have yet to see this reimbursement.

After this, I received a phone call that said our UBox could not be delivered on the date was asked for online. I tried to call back at least 5 times, each time I was on hold for more than 30 minutes, 1 time I was even on hold for an hour, and NO ONE helped me. The operators just kept sending me to the next person saying that they couldn't help me. I'm not sure what they are getting paid for if that is the case. So after at least 3 hours waiting on hold, I received no help. Eventually my husband got a hold of someone who said that I had not called anyone back, which is absolutely ludicrous. I can also send a picture that shows the amount of time that I waited on hold for a U-Haul number. Finally my husband was able to find someone who could change our delivery date and he coordinated with the movers that U-Haul recommended to arrive at 7:00 pm to help unload.

When he arrived to our apartment (he could not take off work so 7:00 pm was the only time that worked) and met the unloaders, he found that the UBox had a lock on it. We did not put the lock on and no one gave us a key or told us there was a lock. We then spend another 20 minutes on hold and 20 minutes talking to people that could not help. I even called the person who delivered or UBox who kindly informed me that "we don't put locks on at UHaul, only the people moving do, so you must have put it on." To which I replied, "I would like to speak to your supervisor or at least someone who can tell me where this lock came from. We did not put the lock on." He gave me the number of his supervisor, "Brandy," but when it went to the voicemail the person's name on the answering machine was "Angela" or something like that.

I then called him back trying to see if the number was correct, however he did not have a voicemail set up, so I texted him (how he had communicated with me earlier) and he did not respond. Eventually, 40 minutes later, my husband had to go buy a pair of $20 bolt cutters. We took a picture of all of this to document, the lock clear as day says U-Haul on it so we know it came from U-Haul. My husband filed a grievance on the phone (the only thing that anyone on the phone could do was "file a complaint" for him which was the opposite of helpful)--and we STILL have not heard from anyone. After we finally did get everything unloaded, 2 of our tables have several scratches on them because they were not covered by moving pads (something I absolutely would have checked for if I did not have to go back to work before the 45 minutes late movers were finished). I am wildly unsatisfied and I will make sure that I tell everyone I can about how terrible this has all been.

U-Haul Company Profile