2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.97/5
Based on 1,299 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

BOTTOM LINE

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

PROS

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

CONS

• Preferences not guaranteed

Top U-Haul Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best customer service I have received in the past thirty years if not in my entire life!

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpful. Thank you to U-Haul for coming through for me!!

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
      • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
      • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
      10-foot $1,350
      15-foot $1,400
      20-foot $1,700
      26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
      • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
      • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
      For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
      Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
      Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
      How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
      A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
      Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
      No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

First things first, this individual U-Haul wasn't terrible. It's the service after them that I'm complaining about. Worst customer service I've ever experienced, EVER. First of all, they charge you about as much as the trailer's worth just to rent it for a couple days. Second, I paid for insurance and roadside assistance. I broke down half way into my move and was stranded by the side of the road. Not only would they not come out to help, they wouldn't even come get their equipment with my stuff in it to get it to a safe place!!!

The trailer leaked and destroyed some furniture. Nope, the insurance is for the trailer! ON TOP OF ALL THAT, after I had made the most ridiculous arrangements to get myself moved across country... a week after I thought I'd forgotten about all the mess... they charged me for a toll that I had already paid!!!! I called and talked to a number of people over the course of about an hour and NOTHING. They wouldn't even waive a $6 toll that was already paid!!! GO PENSKE or someone else that rents trucks/trailers at ALL COST!

P.S. I had not written a review on their website! ON TOP OF ALL THAT, this is what I got on their website when I tried to write a review: "Review already submitted! Thank you! Our records indicate that your review for this contract has been completed. If you have additional feedback or inquiries, please contact us through chat, email or by phone. Thank you for choosing U-Haul."

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

U-Haul-Sacramento- at El Camino Ave. 1650 El Camino Ave Sacramento CA. I took a photo of the mileage & gas before leaving-gas was 1/4 tank. We drove it 39 miles & I put in $10 gas. When we returned it, they lied and said the initial gas was 3/4 tank. Then tells us we should have gone onto some app they never told us about, they were in such a hurry, they didn't bring out the furniture dolly I rented. The rep we spoke with when checking out was also very rude. If I hadn't discovered it wasn't in the trailer, we would have left without it. Even after showing him my photo, with gas level and miles, he lied about the gas level & charged us $40 + tx more. When I asked to speak with a manager, he said the manager wasn't there. I recommend not doing business with this U-Haul outlet since they are thieves. They don't even deserve the 1 star I had to enter. I have been a U-Haul customer many times and have never had such a bad experience.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Not only does U-Haul University of Texas not care about their customers, their employees did such a terrible job attempting to install my hitch and wiring that they blew all of my fuses and caused a total system failure of my brand new car leaving me marooned for days in New Mexico where I had to be towed from the side of the highway. Despite alerting management and their customer "service", I have not received any acknowledgement of the issues, expenses, nor the danger they put me in. The wiring install was so shoddy that even though it was completed merely days before I hit the road, the plastic encasing was rubbed through and exposed the wiring underneath. I had been traveling in a snowstorm at night in an area without cell service. It could have been even worse, and they couldn't care less. Do not spend a dime with these guys. I spent thousands reversing the damage they did.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

Horrible!!!! I needed to rent 10 vans for corporate use. The experience was horrific from the point of reserving the vehicles to returning. I've never seen a company as poorly organized as U-haul. It took hours to reserve the vehicles. When the reservation was finally submitted it was canceled the day of pickup. We had to waste additional time to reserve the vehicles again. The reason they canceled the reservations was that they didn't want to give up all vans from a single location. We had to drive across 5 different locations to pick up the vans. On top of that the rep was extremely rude. The vans are overpriced and you can get a much better deal with other companies (Hertz). When we returned the vehicles we were overcharged for late drop off plus other charges. Lastly we could not get a receipt for our rentals. We gave over $20k in business to Uhaul in November and December. We will never rent from Uhaul again!!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2021

I went to U-Haul in Moon Twp, PA. Rent a 15' truck for $29, they give me a truck over 120,000 miles, tires were out on freezing weather with heavy rain. I am not exaggerating. That truck should not be on the road so I return the truck around 7 pm. I had it for less than 4 hours and give me a bill for $104, I was told they were going to charge me around $40. Now I want tell others when thinking about getting Uhaul think twice and see alternatives. This Company is rip off and misleading people with their ad and top of that their outdated trucks, Uhaul you are a thief.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I've never been treated so poorly by a business ever. It's probably fair to say we've all experienced some awful customer service at some point, but this experience tops it for me. Upon entering the store, I was immediately told, "You need to put your mask on." I was not asked nicely, I was told in a rude tone. I said that I can't wear a mask. I was told by the employee that I would need to leave and they can't do anything for me. I said that my religious beliefs and health prevented me from wearing a mask. He said he didn't care, and that I would have to leave or he was going to call the police. I told him, "Well, go ahead and call them if you want to but I'm not doing anything wrong as in the governor's order it does list exemptions and isn't a one size fits all deal." He didn't respond and instead got on his cell phone and called someone who was hostile and combative on the telephone, and identified himself as some type of manager.

He said extremely rudely that he doesn't care about my rights, I can sue him if I want to, and that I either wear a mask or get the hell off the property. He further added that he doesn't care if I spend my money there and that I could go to Penske or Budget instead, if I don't like it. I obliged, and said I wouldn't spend my money at a place that treats other human beings in this manner. All the while that this was going on, the employee who demanded I put a mask on was standing about 3 feet away from me with his hot headed manager on the speakerphone. So much for 6 feet apart for being so afraid of a virus. I called the U-Haul 800 number, and said I wanted to make a complaint about the manner in which I was spoken to and treated in general. They told me that I would receive a call within 72 hours from the general manager. Well it's now beyond 72 hours later, so I went to the Uhaul website and chatted with a customer service agent.

They advised that the case had been closed out by the manager, and that they could reopen it if I wanted. I said that I would like it reopened, but have no interest in speaking to the same hothead that was on the speakerphone on 12/19/2020 as it will get nowhere considering the complaint involves the way he treated me. Just so anyone reading this knows this is a legit review, the reference number Uhaul gave me reference the complaint is **.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

I don't leave reviews but I am furious with U-haul Company!! This is the 5th time they have done this since 2018 and I draw a line this time!! It has been always same bad service and it's nothing to do with Covid-19 situation! I made a one way reservation with the Guaranteed availability or get $50 refund which I didn't get. On the day of pick up, I went online to check in and noticed that the pick up address changed to Laurel MD. Location!!?? WHAT kind of Guarantee was that?? La Plata, MD and Laurel, MD is ONE HOUR + driving difference. TIME AND MONEY we have to spend for their convenience!! U-Haul Company SUCKS in scheduling and customer service!!

Maybe they are some good reviews because of same location pick up and delivery BUT their one way service is a HASSLE to go through! They just change their pick up location as they pleased at last minutes. They send you an email late night after hours, which you might not see and called it an excuse that they did inform you of the change which is too late to change our plans for the next day at that time anyway. They don't call you in early morning a day before to try to let you know or give you alternatives so you can schedule your day accordingly!

Previous time was the same thing, We went along and went to the location they changed it to and when we arrived at the new location where they sent us off to pick up, they said, "NO SORRY we don't have the truck," and sent us to a different location and they also sent us to a different location from there and after 3 location and FOUR HOURS we got a Truck. Can you believe that!! What company does that and stay in business for this long?? If it was one time, two times, you could say it's okay, it happens but ALL the time, IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE. I will leave a review everywhere I can so dear customers know what kind of company they are dealing with and watch for disappointments.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

I moved from CA to MD. It was a small move, just about 250 cu.ft. I wasn't sure if I would need one U-Box or two. The representative said... "No problem! Just order two boxes, we'll only charge you for the one you use." U-Haul does not deliver to my new address. They partner with MovingHelp.com for the final leg of the move. MovingHelp.com farms out their contracts to unscrupulous businesses they don't vet.

U-Haul failed to update the order to reflect the fact that I only used one U-Box. MovingHelp.com failed to realize or admit they only received one box. The crook from "SafeCare Moving" that knew there was only one box, but accepted payment by MovingHelp.com for 2 boxes didn't update the order to reflect the change. U-Haul points the finger of blame at MovingHelp.com. MovingHelp.com points the finger of blame at Blaine ** of SafeCare Moving, and round and round they go. Nobody taking any responsibility for the extra $400.00 charge I was billed. Do yourself a huge favor. Do not use these people for your move. Do not give them your credit card number.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

U-Haul can take the reservation, but seems to have issues holding the reservation. The biggest problem is their customer service, I actually spoke with a number of representatives who were incoherent, now that being said I was lucky that I did get a few others who managed to address my issues (Dylan and I do need to note, Rob on Long Island was spectacular) - I think we all expect and hope our customer service agents are efficient, professional and knowledgeable. In the end the product was good, but I did age quite a bit as they called the day before my move to inform me they had no truck for me (even though I had reserved it 3 weeks earlier), we had workers scheduled, we had driven out of state for the move.. If they can improve their customer service (employ personnel that care and can help) and reliability of reservations, I could increase the rating.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

They refused credit. They promised for early trailer return. The pickup dealer promised and the drop off dealer promised but U-Haul mail office would not honor the credit that was to be given to me. You should always rent for the minimum time needed. I'm sure they will just bill you for the extra if needed more. Safer to do it that way.

U-Haul Company Information