3.50/5

Compare Movers

967 U-Haul Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

4/12/19 All of these bad reviews make U-Haul sound really scary to deal with. I've had dealings with them in the past that went well and my most recent experience was no exception. I called and reserved a 26' truck, a dolly and moving blankets. The day before I was due to pick it up U-Haul called me and texted me to let me know that my pick up location had changed. It was actually closer to my house! BONUS.

The truck was a 2016 model that was in great shape with only 44,000 miles on it. Jerry was pleasant, efficient and very professional. I loaded the truck in one day and drove it 560 miles from Portland to Missoula without incident. I had the truck loaded to 21,650 pounds. Right up against the 22,000 GVWR and the V-10 Triton engine did just fine over two mountain passes It cost $240 in fuel all told. Jerry had given me an extra day to unload and return the truck but I didn't need it. They changed the drop off location but went out of their way to make sure I was notified. It was no big deal and again, it was actually closer to where I was located.

The cost to rent the truck, additional equipment and insurance was $1134.00. Penske want $1500 just for the truck before they tacked on all of the little fees that they charge. U-Haul has a few fees too but they were all explained beforehand. Try hiring a moving company to move 10,000 pounds of your stuff for $1350. NO WAY.

There were no additional charges to my credit card, no mix-ups, no breakdowns and no rude people that I dealt with. It was a pleasant experience that got done what I needed to get done. I would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, I need to move another load over in a week or two and I WILL be calling U-Haul. They haven't been around this long because they don't know what they're doing. I'm sure there are a few bad apples here and there but you'll find that in any industry. Don't ever blindly trust anyone. Look out for yourself first. Trust but verify and life will be easier for you. Most of the time the only thing you hear is the bad, THIS is the good.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Had to go back to a U-Haul after horrible experience with Budget! Went there last minute and they took care of everything for me at a very reasonable price and they made the returning process very easy as well! Never going anywhere else again! Mineral King Visalia CA! Amazing customer service!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Pleasant experience. They had the right size truck and had it ready on time. Upon return a representative walked to the truck and looked it over. She gave me my receipt and I was on my way. I was over the time by about an hour but she did not charge me extra. I had the truck for 5 days and 1200 miles. No problems.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My son was moving from Boston, Massachusetts to California, Maryland. I suggested Pods but he researched and found better prices with U-Haul and their U-Box. He also was happy to find out that they partnered with local movers to facilitate unloading the U-Box. He scheduled to have 2 U-Boxes dropped off at his apartment in Massachusetts. In Boston, everything went well. The U-Boxes were dropped off, my son and my daughter (who drove hours to help her brother) loaded all his stuff into the U-Boxes. My son hadn't settled on his rental townhouse, so the U-Boxes were headed for storage for a week or so. He scheduled to have U-Haul drop off the U-Boxes. He also scheduled local moving helpers on U-Hauls website to help him unload. They were due to come on Thursday May 16th. U-Haul dropped off the two U-Boxes; however, the moving helpers never showed up.

He called U-Haul, he called the number that he had been given for moving help.... No response at all on Thursday!! On Friday, he called U-Haul and they washed their hands of the whole thing blaming it on the local movers. Called the moving company and they said that they had been out of business for a month and had notified U-Haul as required. Needless to say, he was one person trying to move furniture upstairs in a townhouse by himself!! Luckily he has good friends who drove hours to help him move everything into the townhouse. I called myself and got the same runaround. No one took blame for anything. Truly disappointed with U-Haul and will not use them again.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I made a reservation at a particular location, and the very nice woman helping me told me that I could change the time or size of my truck at any time. I was booking far in advance. Got my reservation. Then I realized I should probably change the time and I did. Then, the location got automatically switched on me. Very upset.

Called the regional customer service people and an extremely unsympathetic girl kept saying over and over again that it was automated switch because of my change (completely blaming me even though the original person told me I could change anything I wanted) and this regional customer service agent was more interested in proving a point than actually helping me at all. Very upset!! Probably going to cancel my reservation - of course it's so late in the game now that I'll probably not be able to find anything else available, and I'll be stuck driving way the hell out of my way to start a stressful move. She kept saying "We can't just bump out families" and I'm like "I'M THE ONE WHO GOT BUMPED!!!!"

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: May 21, 2019

Do NOT reserve with U-Haul on a busy college move out weekend. They will take your reservation and state that your location is a "preference". I had to drive 2 hours out of the way to get a truck. When I called customer service they told me I was "lucky" because some customers were driving twice that distance. The logistics or scheduling department must be aware of busy or heavy volume locations and dates. There has to be a more streamlined process. Also, a confirmation and the exact pick up is not given until 24 hours before so there is no time to make alternate arrangements. After driving 4 hours to my daughter's college and then adding 2 hours to get a truck was not a good experience. PLEASE DO NOT USE U-HAUL IF YOU ARE MOVING IN OR OUT OF A COLLEGE TOWN - THEY SIMPLY CAN'T HANDLE THE VOLUME.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Probably one of the best examples of poor customer service. On 5/18/19 I bought an $800 piece of furniture at an estate sale that had to be picked by 1PM the following day. As such, I reserved a truck to be picked up via 'express pick-up" at a U-Haul site about 20 miles and a ferry ride from my house. The transaction should have given me 'express' access to the keys to the truck and I would be on my way in plenty of time. Issues began immediately and that I could not get access to the key and kept getting asked the same information again and again on my phone (information I had given the night before).

After about 45 minutes on the phone, I received a message that my reservation 'expired'. It said to call a certain individual for assistance but when I did, he was not available. I called U-Haul's help line, waited for what seemed like an eternity and finally got through to a woman who was most helpful. I got the key! I then went to the truck, put in the key, but it was dead. I called again, waited forever to speak to a human, and was told I would need roadside assistance. I said I didn't understand as I was sitting in a dead truck with a plethora of other U-Haul trucks around me. Why couldn't I get one of those trucks? No, I must wait for roadside assistance and I would be transferred.

I waited again until a man responds and asks how he can assist me. I explain the situation. He asks if I called roadside assistance. I said I thought he was roadside assistance. He said no but he would transfer me to them. I asked why I couldn't have one of the trucks I was looking at. He puts me on hold to look for another truck nearby. I wait, he comes back on the line (again more waiting), and says the nearest available truck is in Riverhead, a travel time of at least 30 minutes and another 30 minutes back. At this point it's around 12:30. There was no way I could make it to my destination in time. He advises my only other option was to wait for roadside assistance. Roadside assistance for a truck rental that never made it on the road!

Anyway, he agreed to contact roadside assistance to see how long it would take (more waiting). He returned to the line and said I should understand that it's a Sunday and it would take some time. Roadside assistance does not have anyone available. So it's hours that I spent in a filthy parking lot, never got a truck, lost my $800, and to top it off they charged me the $135 for the rental. A customer services rep called me and said I needed to contact Customer Service on Monday to request the return of my money...like that' s my responsibility. I tried to write a negative review on their site but it says I needed to enter my reservation number so a link could be sent to my email and I could write a review. Mysteriously, when I clicked on the link it said 'something went wrong' and I should try again at another time. You bet something went wrong. Seriously wrong!

Original review: May 19, 2019

I was verbally threatened and harassed by a male worker whom proceeded to call me several disgusting names and threatened to beat my ** several times, repeatedly called me a dumb ** and all because they were backed up and was called all of this and threatened before I could ask where they wanted us to park their truck. I will never rent or step foot in this store or any U-Haul again!! If this is the type of people you hire your business is not for me. I felt very unsafe in your store by your male employee and literally parked across the street to avoid being physically attacked by him!!! This store gets the worst negative rating I could possibly give it!!!!

Original review: May 18, 2019

Made reservation one month in advance, only to be emailed 2 days before I needed the trailer, that my pick up location was moved to an hour away, when there were 2 locations within 10 minutes of my house. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I bought a hitch from U-Haul. Persons at the U-Haul center are friendly and knew what they are doing. Since available time for installation is too far apart, I called U-Haul Reservation Center to locate different Center that I can make reservation for installation. After answering all vehicle info and dumb questions, such as, "why did you buy hitch already?" The Agent says the system is down and I need to call later. I did, and I had to go thru answering personal info, vehicle info 8 times to 8 different agents with 4 calls and 2 transfers each. They still couldn't complete my reservation. I don't know if their software is dumb or their Agents are dumb but they seriously need to change. Pretty soon, nobody will call the Agents. We will all go online to avoid them. Sad.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I had reserved my Uhaul trailer 2 and a half months in advance. I received an email three days before my move notifying me that my case had been taken up by the Traffic Control Manager in Madison, WI. I then received a text two days before my move telling me that my reservation was moved to a different location. Turns out the location was 45 minutes away from my moving location. When I contacted Jenna, the Traffic Control Manager, she tried several times to get me to cancel my reservation as if that was an option two days before I am supposed to move.

When I asked if they could compensate for the gas I have to spend to drive an hour and a half out of my way to pick up the trailer they offered $10 off the trailer. When I said that would do me no good they said there was nothing else they could do. She in particular acted as if this was no big deal and was extremely rude and callous. If I had another option I would never rent from this company again. A company this big should never have these kinds of issues and should never expect their customers to pick up for their lack of ability to service them, especially two days before a move!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have never dealt with a company that has been around for such a long time be so unprofessional. I am moving long distance and I will never use U-Haul again. First, no one answers the phone. All they do is keep transferring me with no answers. I have paid a lot of money and I feel that they are just money grabbers. I can't seem to locate my belongings and they seem to have lost 3 U Boxes. Manager is supposed to call me and I have been waiting all day. Still no call. I called the U-Haul that was supposed to be storing my belongings and they have no record of it. Please just hire a moving company that will do everything for you and you do not have to deal with 9000 departments and no one wants to tell you any answers. Please pleeeeease do not use U-Haul!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I rented a 4 x 8 U-Haul trailer in Nashville, TN. My destination was Mobile, Al. The towing vehicle was a 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl. Hitch rate 6000lb. The following items were placed in the trailer: 1 resin wicker loveseat weight 65 lbs, 1 resin wicker glass top coffee weight 32lbs, 1 queen size sleigh bed frame with side rails weight 160lbs. I loaded items towards the front but could not place them flat against tongue end, but all items were placed towards the front. There was approximately 2 ft of empty space in the rear. The items were strapped together.

My trip consisted of 450 miles interstate travel. Right off the bat, I noticed every little bump made. The trailer bounce up and down (jerking on the hitch ball). Half way into trip, going through Birmingham, Al, I hit a bump and bam!!! The trailer was off the hitch...swaying and dragging. I was petrified. Luckily, I had watched the video and did not apply brakes but steadied the wheel and came to a stop. Thank you Lord for those chains!!! Yes I stopped alright, in the middle lane of traffic on the elevated section of I-65 in downtown Birmingham. Trust me, no way I was opening the door.

Folks just zoomed by like nothing happened. Thanks to the Alabama Service Assistance Patrol (shout to Mr. Rodney **) I was able to exit the interstate and ALDOT moved the trailer. The trailer had stripped the ball right out of the hitch. No damage to my vehicle or the trailer. I had purchased the safe protection plan so a new ball was delivered and installed.

After that, I stopped every 50 to 80 miles and checked all equipment. Each time I had to tightening the knob of the trailer. I seriously do not believe these little trailers are not equipped for interstate travel, at least not 450 miles. Besides, my fellow drivers loved honking their horn as they passed, then swerving right in front of me. My slow speed angered the majority of drivers. 18 wheelers practically blew me off the highway. 55 miles per hour on the interstate is a danger to all. My trip time totaled 11 hours, whew. On a positive note, the U-Haul representative (Veronica) who took my emergency call was very helpful and courteous. They should consider retiring these little trailers or rent them for in town use only. P.A.F. Mobile, Al

Original review: May 4, 2019

Got a storage pod with them. A week later I find out they sent it to California for no reason, and charged my credit card for $1200. It took me 6 weeks to get the box sent back to Denver and 4 months to get them to refund my money. Now I'm waiting for the box to arrive at my house, scheduled for 8am. It's now 2:45pm and the only person to contact me was the sub-contractor they hired to deliver the box. He was never contacted about the appointment until I called U-Haul after 3 hours of waiting to ask where my storage pod was. He got to the U-Haul location and called me back again asking if my storage pod is supposed to be empty (it's not).

Finally U-Haul calls me back to ask me whether I got my storage pod delivered yet (obviously not) and whether I was expecting it to arrive on a truck or a trailer. How am I supposed to know how they're delivering it? The guy acted like it was totally normal that the delivery was 7 hours late and the customer and delivery guy both had no idea where the storage pod was.

Every experience I've ever had with this company has been an absolute nightmare. I should have learned my lesson before (massive delays and rescheduling and double bookings causing me to lose days of work and vacation time I intended to spend packing and moving). Now I'm finished. I will absolutely never use this company ever again, and you shouldn't either.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I booked a 26' truck for home move back in early April, I'm moving on May 30th. Decided to add a day to ensure move went well, did this online (Apr 30th). Got a call 10 min later, order cancelled as they had someone else who need the truck!!! Offered me a 9' truck to move my home in one day! They were shameless, piss poor customer service, they just don't care.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Uhaul contracts with fly-by-night hired hands at Moving Help that have no moving insurance, so my building would not even let them move our stuff on moving day. When I ordered moving help through Uhaul, I expected a professional mover to arrive who was able to move our furniture. That did not happen and customer service did not offer any help whatsoever. My husband took off work and we had to schedule our move with both buildings and pay security deposits. Uhaul could not have cared less and didn't even try to send a replacement.

Then, when my husband went to return the Uhaul to the same pickup location after moving the few pieces of furniture that he could manage on his own, the location (1000 NE 1st Ave., Miami) was closed. I was on the phone with Uhaul customer service for over 30 minutes and Debbie the agent told us there should be a key drop box at the location to return the vehicle after hours. There was no drop box and no option to park the Uhaul on company territory, so my husband had to park it on the street overnight and pay for hourly parking. He literally set his alarm for 2 am to pay for parking again when it expired in the parking app. During the night, the Uhaul was vandalized and we were charged an additional $100 for graffiti.

I find it unacceptable that we were given no option to return the vehicle to a safe Uhaul location (we were told that if we returned it to any other location we would be charged double), were misinformed about the presence of a drop box when there was none, and then charged for graffiti that occurred overnight and we had no way to prevent. I also purchased Uhaul insurance to cover the move, so I don't understand what I paid for if this type of incident isn't covered.

In summary, our experience with Uhaul and their contractors that they try to claim no responsibility for could not have been more frustrating, disappointing, and fruitless. We paid $197 and our things are still at our old apartment, my husband lost a day of work for basically nothing, and I spent about 2 hours total on the phone during a work day dealing with the completely unprofessional and unempathetic "customer service" staff at Moving Help, whose company should be renamed Zero Help to reflect the actual service they provide. Customers expect Uhaul to vet their contractors to make sure that they are able to provide the services they claim to provide.

Every condo association in FL demands that moving staff provide basic professional insurance. This is a requirement that any reasonable person would expect your contractors to meet. Of course, I'll probably get the same ridiculous response from Uhaul that they "don't bear any responsibility". Hint: THAT GETS YOU NOWHERE WITH CUSTOMERS. We hire you and expect you to know who you work with!!!!

Original review: April 28, 2019

We ordered the 15 foot truck online on 4/24/19 through U-Haul.com to be picked up at Ragland Rd, Beckley WV location at 9:00 am on 4/27/19. We declined moving supplies throughout the order process but accepted the insurance. My credit card and driver's license information were entered and my credit card was charged $153.79. The email we received was not a receipt but an order confirmation to connect to U-Haul.com. I received a text message on 4/26/19 that I would be picking up the truck at Beaver, WV. I called the Beaver, WV location and spoke to the U-Haul lady who said that she had a confirmation that I would be picking up a truck there at 8:00 am on 4/27/19. I told her we ordered the truck to be picked up at Ragland Rd at 9:00 am and she gave me the 1-800 number to U-Haul.

I spoke to U-Haul who said that the confirmation was for Ragland Rd but they didn't have a 15 foot truck there but she didn't understand why I didn't get a phone call or email explaining that. She said she gave me the additional 3.8 miles of extra mileage due to the location change. The location is 6 miles to my location instead of 3.8 miles and we were not credited for any mileage. My wife called the location on Saturday to confirm we would be picking up the truck at 9:00 am and the man said the U-Haul lady doesn't work on Saturdays and he would need the truck number to release the truck. My wife called customer service who put her on hold and contacted the location. Customer service said they would walk the man through it once I arrived. I arrived at the location and the door was locked. I called and he then came to the door. He called the lady at U-Haul.

She asked if I wanted insurance and I told her my wife had already paid for insurance and the truck. She said the charge to our credit card was a pre-authorization so I paid for the truck and insurance again which was $30 more than the first charge. The location was dirty and I had to walk through mud to get to the truck. My wife contacted our credit card company who said there was a charge by U-Haul and not a pre-authorization for the $153.79. My wife then called the U-Haul customer service number and was transferred multiple times and told the charge was for "services" but they couldn't say what those services were. My wife explained several times we didn't order anything except the truck and insurance.

They were going to transfer her for the third time. My wife called the manager at the drop off location instead. Scooby said they could see the charge but not what the charge was for. My wife called U-Haul customer service again on 4/28/19 and was told that she would need to contact U-Haul online to discuss charges for moving supplies which she again explained she didn't order. They gave her the number to call which is closed on weekends. My wife filed a dispute with our credit card. We will never reserve a truck online through U-Haul.com and will not rent from U-Haul again.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Went in to complete contract.. The guy behind the counter went to the back of the building to pull the truck and tow dolly around to the side of the building... Only thing he said to me was the truck had the keys in it.. Asked about a damage form. He said he knew about it. No walk around to explain anything on the truck or how the tow dolly attached to the truck... Never asked if I had any questions. Nothing... It was like I was a inconvenience to him.

I brought the truck to my house which was less than 5 miles away. Had the movers from your website (Frank the Mover - who I paid for 2 people for two hours of packing and 2 people for 3 hours of loading. --- of which the people done no packing. Just watched me do it. While they waited... Also until I started bring boxes down the truck they went very slow). After truck was loaded and I was on the road. Less than 7 miles from my house when I was doing the speed limit. I had to stop due to traffic coming to a complete halt.. I was turning on to a on ramp that went up a hill and on a curve so speed was already slowing down.. But when I went to put the brakes on I had NOTHING. The pedal was to the floor... I tried to pump the brake but still nothing.

I had to take it very slow and leave a huge amount of room between me and anyone else on the road just in case I had to stop again. I drove the truck 88 miles down the road to Mt Vernon when I contacted the roadside assistance line about the brakes as well as using over a half a tank of fuel to go 88 miles. They had Action Towing come out to ensure the truck had brake fluid in it.. The truck had brake fluid...but the brake booster was out on the truck...and I was not able to leave the area - and they had no parts to fix the truck. - Joe was not sure why the truck used a half a TANK of fuel to go 88 miles. I spoke to Venessa **. who was able to get me a room for the night at the DoubleTree hotel. Both Venessa and Joe worked till well after midnight in order to find me a replacement truck and make sure the hotel room was in order.

The next morning the truck was available about 10 am for me to transfer my belongings from one truck to another. The transfer was completed just after 2 pm and I was on the road again. The truck that I was transferred into this time had no Air Conditioning when I contacted U-Haul again. This time about 20 miles outside of Mt. Vernon I was just told to return the truck from where I got it.

I asked about possibly getting the truck serviced along the way. The lady Sarah @ 3:01 pm on April 17th on the line I spoke to said no that the next time I stopped I needed to call back in. Cindy called back about 4:15 pm to see if the transfer was complete... I told her yes...but the truck had no AC they put me into... I also expressed that I was already two days behind on my schedule and asked if they would be extending my contract as well as compensating the extra night hotel room. Cindy told me to make sure I kept my receipt for the hotel room and submit it when I turned in the truck.. She also stated to let the place know of my issues so I would not be charged for the equipment being late. I spoke to the returning location in Florida... They said they do nothing with the hotels or extra time.. That is U-Haul that deals with it..

So in a nut shell.. The location that rented me the truck had to pick up the equipment for me.. They never done any kind of walk around on the truck to explain anything. Being that they picked up the truck they should have had a idea the truck had no brakes.... By giving me a truck with NO BRAKES my life was in jeopardy. I was driving into the mountains in Tennessee and was scared to death that if I was unable to stop going up a on ramp. What was the truck going to do going down a mountain side.

You would like that knowing the truck had a brake issue the replacement truck that was brought would have been in working order. But no... Driving into 90 plus degree weather with no AC made for the most miserable drive possible, even with the window rolled down it was still warm air running in the truck which heat at least in my cause causes me to get tired thus causing for more stops... All this was being down while racing a clock for the return on the equipment so I would not be charged extra. I spent well over $2000 for the truck, tow dolly and labor...and had the worst experience you could have imagined. When I went back in to return the replacement truck the lady at the counter also stated they felt the replacement truck also had a brake issue..

Original review: April 25, 2019

I reserved two U-Boxes through U-Haul to be delivered on 03/25/2019. I never received a confirmation email of the delivery, so I contacted U-Haul on 03/25/2019. I was advised that my boxes were not scheduled to be delivered, and they called around, and the boxes were to be delivered that day still. One box was delivered around 9 pm that night, so I lost a whole day. The second box was not brought. I was advised that if I needed the second box to just call and let them know. I received several calls from U-Haul representatives as they did not know if the boxes were delivered, and what the serial numbers on the box was. They did not know if the U-Box was delivered, or I picked it up, they didn’t know I received one box and not two!! I determined that the 2nd boxes would be needed.

I called U-Haul on 04/01/2019, and over the next 3 days tryna get the other box delivered but no one could tell me anything or when it would be delivered. I was then advised that they need a 48 hrs notice, which I was not advised of at the time the first box was delivered. Both boxes were supposed to be picked up on 04/06/2019, and I’m wasting valuable time trying to figure out when the second box will be received! I call customer service and spoke multiple people multiple times, and was transferred and put on hold without notice, to representatives who had no clue what was going on! I would never recommend U-Haul/U-Box to anyone EVER! Not even my worse enemy! Valuable time, energy and money wasted! So disorganized, and one hand does not know what the other is doing!

After a few more calls and transfers, I was told that I would be delivered another box, which was received on the evening of 04/04/2019, and had to be packed and ready to ship by the night of 04/07/2019. U-Haul caused a lot of stress and anxiety by not being organized, or communicating with their employees or contacted outside help. The boxes were picked up on the morning of 04/08/2019, and taken back to the facility for shipping. I received a call the day the boxes were supposed to be shipped and I was asked if I had used both boxes, as one of the boxes they had inventoried under my order was empty! I informed them that I had used both boxes received, and luckily I had taken photos of the box numbers, which I provided them. You would think that the incompetence stopped there, but it continued.

I received an email regarding payment for the boxes, and I was told that I would receive a credit for the inconvenience and stress that all the issue with U-Haul caused. So I called to make sure I received it and that the payment card on file was updated on 04/15/2019. Again the representatives were useless, I spoke to one woman who was supposed to be updating the account while I was on the phone, so I thought she was still working on the issue, and when I asked was she still there I received no response. I called back to speak with another representative, and she was helpful, but could not get the account adjusted, so I was advised I would receive a call from her manager, which was a woman. On 04/15/2019, I received an automated email that stated my boxes had arrived in my new city and someone from the location would call me to schedule the delivery. No call was received to schedule the delivery.

On 04/17/2019 I received a call from a gentleman in the Phoenix office, who I had to re explain the whole situation to again, as no one ever updates the account with note or the issues going on. He advised that he would look into it and return my call. I also advised him that I would appreciate it if he could resolve the matter ASAP, as I was advised my boxes would be delivered on 04/25/2019, but if they were already in the city that I am in I would like them now. That way I will not be charged a storage fee, if I empty them and they are returned within the 30 days. 6-8 hours went by, and no update or word. So I contacted the gentleman back at the number I received the call from, and he acted as if he had attitude then I followed up with him, and that U-Haul had been screwing him around since 03/25/2019.

He then informed me that he was waiting on a call from the corporate office, regarding the adjustment and credits for the account. I then contacted customer care again in hopes of get a supervisor or manager whom actually knew how to do their job and could be helpful. I requested to speak with one when the representative answered the phone. I provided my info and they looked up my account. Then inquired about my issues, I advised her that my account should be notated. She asked about the boxes that was shipped to the new city, and then advised me that she would contact them. The phone then rang again and it was the location that was supposed to had been contacting me regarding the delivery of the boxes. I was telling the representative my issues and he asked if I wanted to speak with a supervisor, and I stated yes.

I was then advised that they would would turn my call when they were free! Don’t waste your time, or energy dealing with U-Haul, find other POD shipper, or moving company. I would recommend them for trunk rental if you were doing the moving yourself, but honestly the customer service is so horrible I would not recommend them for anything. The lil bit of money you might save is not worth the stress and the issues that you have to deal with. As of now I am still waiting on 3 callbacks from management.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I went to another U-Haul where I do business. The manager always waits on me. Never have problems. He unfortunately didn't have the trailer I needed. He sent me to Wrightsboro Rd in Augusta, GA to pick the trailer up. I walked waiting patiently as the guy helped another customer. After 10 mins a lady walked out to assist me. I walked up once to the counter the other associate. Was struggling with his customer. She started helping him. Never acknowledged I was standing there.

Then finally asked did I have reservation. I did. She stood there in her own world ignoring me. Finally she asked about my hitch. I assured her her it was the right hitch. She walked off and started for the front door. I followed. Once to my vehicle I showed her the hitch. She mumbled something. Under her breath. At this point I'd been dealing with U-Haul for 2 hrs. I finally told her to forget it. I'd would just borrow a trailer. I rent trailers often. But won't be back. I'll just buy my own. Too much hassle.

Original review: April 18, 2019

We rented from U-Haul. The dealer wanted $100 cash as security while the company says it takes credit cards only. We paid the bill in full with cash and got a bill months later from the company. Thankfully we had our receipt.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Pick up office in a very smelly office in in another business. Truck was fine. Personally was fine. Knowledge of drop off points within his area poor. Looked online for drop off points couldn’t find any. One location abandoned Mott station. Another had trucks but wasn’t allowed to take any more. One online point was a private resident address that didn’t have anything to do with U Haul. Wanted me to drop off away from the area. It was ridiculous. Wound up dropping off back at pick up point further from my end of day. Than received nasty phone call from manager about the review I gave them. What kind of organization are they. NEVER AGAIN. I warned all my family and friends.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We rented a 4x8 enclosed to travel from Michigan to Utah and back. As we were packing the floor of the unit appeared clean somewhat, but was not. Gritty black grease was on your hands if you touched it. My husband had it held full by the time I realized that was getting on my baggage. The next problem was more serious. About 10 hours from home we realized there was something wrong. I added hours and stress to our already very long trip. We had to find the contracted towing company first and they concluded it was bad wheel bearings. They couldn’t fix it. On to a U-Haul dealing to trade the trailer for a working one.

We had to unpack and repack 11 bikes and camp gear for 7. We had it packed like a 3D puzzle and had to redo it all. We received no assistance although, again, the staff was nice. I guess they don’t want to be liable for breaking or missing items. We kept thinking the silver lining to all this mess will be a full refund. Because they rented us broken (even unsafe) equipment. Nope. After over an hour on the phone with many customer service levels, they decided to refund us $15.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This is the verbatim comments I left U-Haul after suffering a rental with them last week (April 6-7, 2019): The locations, their staff, and truck were fine. U-Haul's online reservation program absolutely **! When I registered by phone, your reservation agent put in the wrong time for pickup (they put in PM not AM for the time), so when I showed up to the NEW HAMPSHIRE U-Haul location to pick up the truck at the (closed) location using your app, I was 12 hours early per reservation. I called your customer service team and got a "person in training" who did not know how to fix the reservation time and had her supervisor in the background advising what to do.

After 45 minutes of not fixing the issue, I cancelled the reservation and called back to make a new reservation and was assisted promptly to get the truck from where I was (this customer person was very helpful) but later that evening when I went to return the truck to "CHELMSFORD, MASSACHUSETTS", where I had arranged the drop off your stupid app/online system informed me that I was to return it BACK TO NEW HAMPSHIRE!

So I called your customer service team who COULD NOT CHANGE THE RESERVATION but gave me another number to call with information that they could change the return location so I called the next number. But they were CLOSED FOR THE EVENING, not to reopen till 9 am the next day (change my weekend plans now!!!).

So I waited till next day (Sunday). When I received an e-mail to inform me to return the truck to LOWELL, MASSACHUSETTS (a different place than I had arranged (CHELMSFORD, MA) but a town further away from my home; so I drove the truck to return the truck WITH MORE GAS THAN I HAD WHEN I PICKED IT UP THE DAY BEFORE and was checked in at the LOWELL facility where the desk clerk kept trying to make excuses for the internet/reservation screw ups and CHARGED ME $6.00 FOR REFUELING!! When I asked him why he charged me for more gas despite my returning the tank with more fuel than what I picked up, he did not know what to say (but gave me the credit on my demand). Will never use your service again!!!!

Original review: April 4, 2019

They told me one price and charged another and a lot more!! 29.00 and 8.00 does not add up to 121.98 and they are rude!!! I wanted it for 1 day. They are making me keep it for 2 days and charging for it too!! I will never deal with them again.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I just called to inquire the estimate of the rental truck. Customer care rep. pressuring too much by asking card details from customer. I said I will call back later and she gets mad at me. I will never use U-Haul service in my life.

Original review: March 31, 2019

30 mile, one way trip cost over $100 dollars, even when advertised $19.95. Filled gas tank and under mileage too. Will tell people to use other company. I live on disability, I will have to go without something this month. Thank You.

Original review: March 31, 2019

I called the toll free customer service number at U-Haul to get my questions answered. I never got my questions answered, the customer service agent named Paul was trying to scam me. I wanted to know what size trucks the lots in my area had available for the day. Online was giving me different choices that made no sense. When I tried to get a U-Haul from my area, it would show that there was not one available, and I had to go far away to pick one up.

When I tried to get one from the same area it showed me that was far away from where I wanted to pick up a truck, lol. The website showed trucks in other locations that were far away. So it seemed like a scam on mileage, because I would have to pay for the extra mileage and return the truck back to the far away location. I called customer service. HE asked me for my name and my email address. That was fine. I gave it to him. He then asked me for my credit card information. I refused. His name was Paul. He went on to explain that this was how the system worked and he couldn't tell me what was available until I made a reservation. That's BS and I told him that.

So since he wasn't going to get my credit card information and he knew that, he decided that he could make an exception in my case, which was BS once again. I gave him the ZIP codes that I was looking at online, and all of a sudden while I was looking online, none of the trucks that were available in the area that I was looking in before I was talking to him was available. What a coincidence. So I guess he thought he was going to get my credit card information. No way! He was a scammer and a liar, I hung up on him and I started looking for trucks at Penkse and Budget, which I immediately found a truck for the next day. Look at the reviews on U-Haul and stay away from them!

Original review: March 26, 2019

I have used U-HAUL several times over the years. The inventory system in place is poor and the dealers are largely undertrained to answer the questions correctly. I had needed a trailer for a move. Got online to search for the equipment and found 2 locations in my area that had the equipment. In the past I have found that if the equipment is not there they have trouble getting your refund to my card if you book it online. (I have read other horror stories about getting overcharged also) I called the places to have them hold the trailer and when I got there? NO TRAILER!

I spent at least 3 hours dealing with this and called customer service/routing or whatever they call it and got NOTHING. Generic answers that were not helpful. They did offer to transfer me to someone that may help but they had the same generic unhelpful answers as before. THE SYSTEM U-HAUL HAS IN PLACE IS OUTDATED AND INCORRECT AND WHEN YOU CALL YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST TALK TO A ROCK! I would strongly urge them to invest in Training and equipment updates to track their inventory! This has cost me a full day of work and now I have to work and still have not accomplished the goal of moving my vehicle.

Original review: March 23, 2019

This weekend I rented a van from U-Haul for 89 dollars a day including 150 kms a day. I kept the van 3 days. I drove 310 kms. The bill was a whopping $591.26. The company charged me 182.90 for non existent extra mileage. It is not possible to make sense of this receipt. The company stands by its charges which for a van that was initially advertised for 19.99 a day that came out to just under 200 dollars a day... is disgraceful.

U-Haul Company Information