3.41/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

1026 U-Haul Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Workers at 17467 Manchester, Ballwin give you 10+ out of 1010. ** and his crew go above and beyond in service to be sure that things are done right and safety is paramount. I have rented here several times and never a bad experience. Complete with a drink whatever for you to start your trip.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was overall happy with the U-Box experience. The price was the most reasonable. Although you must be flexible with your deadlines. The boxes came at the right date, and were picked up at the right date. And they were delivered on the right date. But they did not remove the boxes on the right date. If that is fine with you, then I would fully recommend U-Haul U-Boxes.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Christine helped me out canceling a reservation which I had to drive 1 and half to pick up and help me with the drive to pick and added a few more miles to help drive back home. This is cust service @10.

Original review: April 20, 2019

4/12/19 All of these bad reviews make U-Haul sound really scary to deal with. I've had dealings with them in the past that went well and my most recent experience was no exception. I called and reserved a 26' truck, a dolly and moving blankets. The day before I was due to pick it up U-Haul called me and texted me to let me know that my pick up location had changed. It was actually closer to my house! BONUS.

The truck was a 2016 model that was in great shape with only 44,000 miles on it. Jerry was pleasant, efficient and very professional. I loaded the truck in one day and drove it 560 miles from Portland to Missoula without incident. I had the truck loaded to 21,650 pounds. Right up against the 22,000 GVWR and the V-10 Triton engine did just fine over two mountain passes It cost $240 in fuel all told. Jerry had given me an extra day to unload and return the truck but I didn't need it. They changed the drop off location but went out of their way to make sure I was notified. It was no big deal and again, it was actually closer to where I was located.

The cost to rent the truck, additional equipment and insurance was $1134.00. Penske want $1500 just for the truck before they tacked on all of the little fees that they charge. U-Haul has a few fees too but they were all explained beforehand. Try hiring a moving company to move 10,000 pounds of your stuff for $1350. NO WAY.

There were no additional charges to my credit card, no mix-ups, no breakdowns and no rude people that I dealt with. It was a pleasant experience that got done what I needed to get done. I would not hesitate to use them again. In fact, I need to move another load over in a week or two and I WILL be calling U-Haul. They haven't been around this long because they don't know what they're doing. I'm sure there are a few bad apples here and there but you'll find that in any industry. Don't ever blindly trust anyone. Look out for yourself first. Trust but verify and life will be easier for you. Most of the time the only thing you hear is the bad, THIS is the good.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Our child was relocating from NY to Denver co. Unfortunately were she was in NY only had U-Haul. My husband and son were flying from AZ to help unpack her pod that was guaranteed to be there the day they arranged their flights. However uhaul changed the delivery date without our knowledge. When we called Margaret in customer service she was extremely rude. Basically she collects a paycheck from uhaul but has no qualifications of dealing with the public. I feel there is always a solution for every situation. She hung up on us the 1st time we called. Called back to get transferred to 4 people...45 minutes later we were talking to unpleasant Margaret again. Very unsettling when you spend thousands of dollars to be treated that way. I would give negative 5 stars if it were an option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Long story, physical trip was 12 and 1/2 hours, time on phone dealing with customer service and locations exceeded 20 hours. Continuously told "sorry, the person who told you that was new." Printer/computer problems at their end when we picked it up, receipt emailed to me was in code, complete gibberish. Find a different mover and spend more time reading reviews ahead of time, or you too will be glued to your phone for over 20 hours.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I was quoted hitch, install with electrical hook up through the Phoenix call center and given a reservation number. When I got to the store they said the quote was wrong and that the electrical was not included. (I clearly specified I needed the electrical when getting quote and appointment.) They would not honor the quote. They wanted to charge me an additional $100+ for adding the electrical. I called the corporate office and they would not help either. They asked the "area manager" and he flat out refused nor did anything to make it right! I will never go back to U-Haul for anything.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Writing this at the recommendation of the U-HAUL hold music I have been listening to for 3 weeks. "Completing a review of your experience online is the best way to insure the next family doesn't have a recurrence of any issues you experienced". Well here we go! Just do the POD or go Penske because you are asking for damage and possibly death if you go with U-HAUL. We rented a truck to go from Chicago, IL to Fort Worth, TX. An hour into the drive, a horrible metal on metal sound came from the truck. The axle was suddenly violent and we were on an onramp to a busy highway. We were lucky enough to be within a mile of a U-HAUL location and made it there safely. After an hour and a half of being stranded, the U-HAUL mechanics came to look at the truck and it took a total of 30 seconds for them to outright tell us that we are lucky to have survived this far because the truck could have killed us.

The wheel bearing was welded to the spindle and noone at the Kedzie U-HAUL location bothered to deem the truck safe before giving it to us. Our truck was 20 ft and fully loaded. It took SEVEN hours in the rain to get a new truck and U-HAUL to have movers to transload the trucks. The nightmare kept getting worse when we finally got home and realized that our couch, TV, and expensive desk for our office had been ruined during the transload. It has been 3 weeks and we are still without resolution. The insurance we paid $200 for is not responsible because the damage was not caused by a wreck. U-HAUL is not responsible because the movers are separate from them. Can't file a claim with the movers because U-HAUL is the one who sent and paid them! $2000 U-HAUL, $1100 in damage, 7 hours stranded, and a near death experience. Choosing to not go U-HAUL will save you a ton of money, grief, and probably your life!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

U-Boxes=nightmare! I cannot believe the level of incompetence and complete disregard for my belongings! Total lack of customer service and accountability! Why offer reservations when you have no intention to follow thru with the agreed upon contract? It's insane! I made a reservation for 4 U-Boxes 2 weeks in advance...specifically telling the rep I had to be out before the 1st. On the day the boxes were to arrive I waited. Nothing. I called U-Haul and they had no record of my reservation. So they made another without my knowledge! This only made matters worse and delayed delivery further! I called every day all day long until 1 at a time these boxes finally showed up! It took 2 days to get the second U-Box delivered. Nowhere do they mention you must contact the driver directly!!

After being told to call the driver, I had to track them down and attempt to fit in the remaining U-Boxes to their schedule as there was 1 driver for my district and they were out of town!! Seriously? How absurd! This is not the service I reserved online nor what I discussed with the U-Haul rep!! And although every rep I spoke with assured me that 2 U-Boxes were sufficient for my move, I ordered 4 to be safe. It wasn't even close to enough! And the driver told me none were available at that time to finish my move!

I was left hanging with no other option but to finish with my minivan!! Omg the absolute nerve!! This fiasco cost me more than my time and frustration. Closing was delayed 10 days! Being that it was contingent upon vacancy! The entire deal went back to escrow and started over!! I lost 20k due to U-Haul not being able to do their job! Shame on you U-Haul! Never again! What happened to this company? Words cannot explain my fury!! Negative stars should be an option to rate this experience.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

Had a minor accident -- I rented truck and my son drove. Hit an overhang at McDonald's. Very minor damage to truck, just a blemish. But when I get back to the U-haul rental place even the two workers said very minor and then the Manager hits me with a bill for 515 in damages. Unbelievable. I originally paid by credit card today but will stop payment on the 515 damage portion first thing tomorrow morning. You can deal with my insurance company. I'll send them my pictures. And then tried calling back to their place of business. They put you on automatic forward to customer service who puts you on hold it seems like forever before coming back saying they can't do anything for you. U-Haul on Rt 51 - Pleasant Hills.

U-Haul Company Information