U-Haul

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My father rented a U-Haul trailer, and I ended up towing it when it detached and caused almost 3k in damage. U-Haul denies the insurance claim to fix it. I AM BEYOND PISSED. We had coverage and they refuse to fix my truck. I WILL NEVER RENT FROM THEM AGAIN. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM!!! Do I even have to give them a star? They do not even deserve a star.

Still having issues from our U-Haul rental. U-Haul feels that it was ok for their dealer (Roger) to send us out in a broken truck (mind you we noticed immediately and told the dealer and he said "don't worry it's nothing"). Brought the truck for gas and then realized it was a lot more serious. Gas was spewing from the tank. Go immediately back to the dealer and are told that we need to call roadside assistance per his area manager (Derrick). Roadside calls service guy who comes over an hour later. Service tech can't get part until Thursday (this was Tuesday). They "find" us a new U-Haul about 20 minutes away at a U-Haul center. We show up at that location to get the new U-Haul and they don't have a one-way available only in town.

The customer service reps in the U-Haul center were very pleasant and helpful. They called their general manager who emergency assigned us a new truck. We finally made it back to our house 3 hours later. Due to this issue we lost 3 hours of packing time, we lost our movers, and my cleaning lady was only able to clean 1 bedroom, dining room, and the 2 small bathrooms. U-Haul roadside assistance did send us 2 movers who helped for a couple hours of loading. We finally got out of our house the next night at 11:30 pm (and that was only due to a few amazing friends helping out).

We started our trip back home a day late and extremely stressed. We stopped the next day at a hotel in Virginia to get some sleep. We woke up the next morning still feeling very stressed. We got all packed up and I started feeling very sick and was vomiting bile (sorry if TMI). After requesting a late check out we attempted leave the hotel around 1 pm on 6/2. I made it to the edge of the parking lot before I began to vomit up bile again (sorry if TMI). We decided to continue on with our journey home anyway because what choice did we really have.

We made it about an hour up the road and stopped for gas where I again started to vomit bile (again sorry if TMI). We decided at that point to find another hotel because it was too dangerous for me to be driving with what was going on. That second hotel cost us $296.82. This was not some luxury hotel. It was a Quality Inn. However, we have animals and it was $20 per animal! That was $100 in pet fees alone. So, we rest at that hotel for the night. Get up and head out to finish our journey on 6/3 around 9:30 am.

A few hours into the drive I receive a call from a very nice woman from the U-Haul Center in Watertown. She's the general manager and she was in shock over what we had gone through and stated this was not how U-Haul does business. I believed her because she sounded genuine. She tallied up all of our extra expenses due to this dealer's lack of customer service to be around $950. She said she was going to work on getting a refund for that amount plus a couple hundred for the hassle and inconvenience. She told me I would be hearing from someone in the Mississippi office within 48 hours and if I did not to call her back.

So, I wait the 48 hours and radio silence. I call her back and she tells me she is going to "push" through the refund for us and we should have it within 48 hours. I go online yesterday, do all my reviews (good for NY and poor for Mississippi). She calls me today to thank me for the positive feedback and I ask her about the refund and she says "oh yeah, um, it was denied...But, get me the receipts and I will try and help but I'm low on the totem pole and no one listens to me (she's a general manager)". So, now today I get to be inconvenienced again by looking for every receipt from this move. Whatever, it is what it is but this is an epic fail on #U-Haul to properly handle customer complaints.

Oh and Dick ** your name fits you well. He is the big shot for the area of Mississippi we rented the truck in and his response was, "It is what it is and we have an issue with people breaking stuff off the gas tank to siphon gas". If you know it's an issue handle it before it becomes your customer's inconvenience and stress. BTW the dealer also knew the trucks were being broken into and siphoned. He had a bunch of hoses in the bed of his truck that he had pulled from by the trucks and gas cans which he showed us. #uhaulcorporate #uhaulsucks #willneverrentauhaulagain #customerserviceatuhaulsucks #uhaul

Do not rent from U-Haul! We rented a van in April and turned it in with extra miles and days and paid for it. It's been over a month since we used the van but they sent me a notice that I owed for toll citations. They said they wanted 1.00 per toll plus the charge of the toll. I sent a dispute in which I never received a response. A week later the Ace Hardware store we rented from charged my debit card numerous charges of 1.75 with no explanation. I did receive a message from the manager but when I returned the call there was no answer and my call was not returned. I received another message about the tolls in which I sent another dispute with no response again. I had to go to my bank and get a new debit card which cost me 10.00. They will never get another penny from me!

The guy running the front counter at the store we rented from was one of the rudest people I have ever had the joy of encountering. Not only was he pushing customers away before they even said a word. When I went to return the truck I received unwanted attitude from the employee. I recommend that a nicer person should be at the front of the store. I will never use this company's services ever again due to the rudeness of one employee.

Reserved a truck three days prior to the move online... Confirmed the truck was available at a location nearby... At a rate of $40 and .99 per mile which was fine, because the location was around the corner. They call the day before the move and say the location did not have the truck and I had to now travel 32 miles round-trip to another location to get the truck which added another $32 in mileage fees to the final invoice. If the website is not able to accurately tie into availability of the trucks at particular stores then they should stop taking reservations online.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

We rented a cargo van online for a one-way trip. It was confirmed. Then we got an email saying we were being given a box truck because they don't do one-way trips for cargo vans (So why were we confirmed?!). We were given some BS excuse about the computers not being able to understand that cargo vans can only be returned to the same location. Then we were told the track was not available at our pick-up location and we had to drive 1/2 hour to pick it up. Never again!

What started out to be an ok experienced ended up being the worse. Two weeks after I rented the UHAUL my account was charged an additional $60. The rep could not tell me why as she did not have access to certain screens, unprofessional. So now I have to wait 3-5 business days for a call back from a complaint. I had to return it to a different location because we were detoured by police and couldn't get to the location designated for drop off. I called immediately and explained this and was told I wouldn't be charged by the rep and everything is documented and recorded but I was still charged. The rep I spoke with tonight confirmed seeing my notes. I don't recommend Uhaul for anyone.

Said Rental Agreement is null and void. The drop off point selected by you is farther away by 60 miles round trip by the next closest stop. This action by you is clearly padding the bill unnecessarily. Drop-off on the contract was the city of Van Horn, TX, a closer city with a U-Haul location is Sierra Blanca, TX, 66.6 miles closer. Their intent is the clear and deciding factor, they wanted to increase the contract price, therefore their profit without regard to the fact they increased my time and out of pocket expense with no corresponding increase in value to me. This is fraud, a deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain. And after dropping off the letter, they billed my account for additional charges. Because you did not have a 2⅜ ball in stock your attempt to sell me a 2⅛ does not sit well with me. You clearly do not care about your client's welfare, which seems to be the U-Haul way, sad.

A full ¼ inch smaller ball, one good bump and the entire trailer could have been lost. I did miss the Van Horn off ramp but do not know why. On my return home I will try to find out. Once I finally realized I had done so I was quite a ways East. I decide to stop to talk to a U-Haul guy. I found one and explained my situation and I was shocked to hear his response, "I am not going to make a buck keeping it here, so no I cannot help you." The topography was wrong, did not start to look soon enough. The reason for doing this was to move my trailer to an area my F-150 could tow it the rest of the way to Florida. This information was known by U-Haul before the contract was created. Note: He never even asked me if I was willing to pay for the 3 or 4 days storage. As far as I am concerned, U-Haul has fallen a long way down. A buck is more important than the client.

Had reserved a 10 foot U-Haul truck for a long distance move. Received text the day before confirming my reservation for the next day. Go there -- and there's no truck. No one at the dealer (Greenoaks Plaza U-Haul in Starkville MS), much seems to care (they are too busy selling money orders and cashing checks. They say they will call me in a hour.

They don't, but a woman from the regional office in Jackson calls. She couldn't even figure out where I lived and was telling me that we'd have to drive to Meridian (2.5 hrs one way) or Oxford (about 2 hrs one way) to get a truck. She then makes us a reservation for a larger truck that we can pick up in Aberdeen (about 45 mins drive), so better -- but we had to wait a day. She told me that U-Haul guarantees a truck that day (well, not so much), but not at a particular location. Still, my question is: HOW FAR should we have to drive to pick it up?? 5 hrs of driving to get our truck, to then move ourselves in another 16 hour drive??? Give me a break. Never again.

We rented a 15 foot truck with an auto transport from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Gainesville, FL. The day of the pick up an email was sent instead of a phone call, that the pickup location was changed. We drove to the Fort Lauderdale location only to then be told the pickup location was changed to a Pompano Beach location. This of course delayed the start of our move... Later that day, we received a call to confirm the drop off location and were told that the truck was already rented out for the next morning so we needed to have it returned by then, instead of the 3 days we had the truck rented for. This lead to my son driving with his 3 year old daughter late into the evening hours on the highway.

I called the next day to see about some type of discount since we only had the truck for 1 day and NOT 3 days. At that time I was told a manager was not available but someone would call me back the next day. I waited 3 days and then called back. At this point I had already been charged the full amount and the "manager" I spoke to said they are waiting to get the transcript for the phone call which could take a week or more longer (it has already been 4 days) and she had to have this before she could speak to me any further and that she felt it was probably a miscommunication... essentially calling my son a liar!!

I asked how do I have any assurance they would not just say a miscommunication over their employee stating that it had to be returned the next day. The response was they would have no reason to lie... (of course except to keep the full payment amount). I tried to explain that even if it was a miscommunication, it doesn't change that my son still understood that he had to have the truck returned the next morning and did so. I felt a discount should have been given for the 2 days we didn't have the truck. I was then told that it was not their fault if my son misunderstood and took it upon himself to return the truck 2 days early!!! I'm infuriated with this company and would not recommend them to anyone!!!

I rented a 5x9 trailer with ramp from U-Haul in Albuquerque to be picked up on Friday May 26th. Upon arrival, they hooked up the trailer to my truck which has a full tow package. At this time the "manager" come in and states I had to buy an adapter or I could not leave with the trailer. My card had already been charged for rental at this point and I was on a schedule. The adapter was $14 and that's not the point. The issue is I was not told I had to have a 4 pin flat, not a regular 7 pin that my truck has. The website lists as "recommended" along with tape and boxes. I asked if he could help with price or had a loaner and was told no, I "had to buy" and could not return "used product". I called the 800 number to file a complaint and was told 72 hrs to get a callback. 4 days later no call. I followed up and was told that the "corporate resolution mgr" had closed the complaint and would not be calling me. Renter beware!

We rented a trailer to transport a small car from Lethbridge Ab to Kelowna BC. I reserved one online 1 week prior to the date needed, May 4th. As there are 3 locations in Lethbridge I didn't even think that one of them wouldn't have an open flat deck trailer. Luckily, I follow up on everything 2 days before, so I discovered that none of them had, or would have, a trailer for May 4th, 2017 pickup. The Head Office gave us 2 choices to pick up a trailer - Great Falls Montana or Red Deer Alberta!! Seriously??? My husband grudgingly agreed to drive the 2 hours to Red Deer, but the Head Office assured him that we would get a trailer. When we arrived at the location, the nice man at the counter told us that our trailer was broken down, on a farm 2 hours away, and that he had reported it to Head Office that morning!! My husband was livid and I was almost in tears, so it was not a comfortable situation.

Luckily, the counter guy had a buddy in Red Deer so he called him and we got the last one there. While at the 2nd location, 3 other customers in line told us similar stories of misinformation and getting either NO equipment or not what they ordered. NOW, on top of this major inconvenience - there was no offer of a discount or any consideration to make up for our extra 4 HOUR drive plus emotional upset!! I will BUY a trailer before I rent from U-Haul again!!

So, I reserved a 15 ft truck online 5 weeks before our move date. I booked removal guys to help us on the 2 days and thought I was set to go. 24 hrs and 10 minutes before I was due to collect the truck, at 7:21 am on my son's 4th birthday I got a rude and shirty call from U-Haul telling me they'd cancelled my reservation. Apparently, you can't hire a truck from U-Haul, returning to the same depot, for longer than 24 hrs. Who knew?

My reservation had been amended to 7:30 am - 2:30 pm on the following day. So, 7 hrs instead of 48 hrs. By the time the call ended at 7:35 am I had less than 24 hrs before my reservation, which meant that according to U-Haul terms, I couldn't cancel the reservation without charge. Nice work U-Haul. I also had removal guys booked ($1800) and no truck 2 days prior to Memorial Day weekend. I called U-Haul customer service who put me through to the regional manager. After 20 mins of back and forth, he sorted the problem and told me it was done and I'd have the truck for 48 hrs. What a relief, right? Except that he'd done nothing at all except get me off the phone.

Fortunately, I double checked online and with the depot, who gave me attitude, and it turned out that my reservation was still 7:30-2:30. I called customer service again and managed to get hold of the same regional manager who claimed to have no recollection of my call 90 mins earlier. After 30 mins of back and forth and the offer of a truck 40 miles away from me, I was finally offered a 'one way' truck from another depot 4 miles away that I could drop off at a separate location.

At this point, I didn't care and took it. The following morning I took an Uber to collect my truck at 7:30 am. I would have driven myself there, but remember I had to drop off at a separate location. The pickup location was remote, in a dead-end industrial storage unit across a mud path bridge on an island. It was pouring with rain when the Uber dropped me and drove off. At this point, I realized the site office was closed. I checked my email confirmation and online booking page and, yes, definitely 7:30 am pick up confirmed.

I found a doorway to shelter from the rain, which was littered with rat droppings. I called the number for the office, which had a cheerful voicemail that told me to call back at 9:30 am. I called U-Haul customer service who seemed surprised that the location didn't open for another 2 hours, but claimed they would get someone out there. I knew this was BS. I stood for 2 hours in a cold doorway filled with rat droppings whilst rain blew in at me sideways. I was 1.5 miles from any store or shelter. It was miserable. Meanwhile, I was losing over $110 an hour with removal guys sat waiting for me. I actually can't be bothered to go into more detail about the state of the truck, the attitude of staff or any of the other problems. This was the worst customer experience I have ever had. The worst by a long way. I will never, ever spend another dime with U-Haul.

First time I rented a U-Haul truck I gave a deposit and was told where and when to pick it up. I sch. a crew and took off work to make a move. When I got to the location no truck. I called U-Haul and then said they were sorry but had one 50 miles away so I start the trip to pick up at 2nd location. Got half way there and got a call they did not have a truck and they would give me $50 for my trouble. Well by this time I had way over $50 invested. Had to call Budget for a truck by that time most of the day was gone.

One year later, thought I would give them another chance set it all up one week ahead. Then one day before I was to pick up the truck I get an Email saying I had to drive 120 miles to pick up the truck at.99 per mile would cost me $120 just to get the truck to my house. I will never use U-Haul again They don't even care if they treat customers bad or not they will tell you that is the what it is.

I made a reservation for an auto transport at the Helena location and got a call the day before from them saying they wouldn't have one. This is the height of irresponsibility. I am stuck. I have a car that needs transport and now I have 24 hours to find another one which will probably require driving over a hundred miles to get. A reservation is a commitment. U-Haul doesn't honor its commitments.

My husband and I rented a pickup to go load up and bring home a bed set from 50 miles away and we were told $19.99 + .14 cents a mile. We had it until the next day at noon so we decided to not rush and went to and from our pick up point and ran into town and home again then back to rental location. We filled up the tank to where it was and when I went inside they had already ran my credit card for $109 which I only put on file to hold the rental. The rental advertised is nowhere near what they charge!!! Very disappointed in U-Haul.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Center 2040 Scenic Hwy n, Snellville, GA, 30078. I made an appointment a week in advance to get a hitch installed on my BMW 328 2014 M. I received 2 emails and one text message from the center, confirming that my appointment was at 7 am in the morning. On arrival at the depot, the manager fiercely debated me that my appointment was not for the 05/09 at 7 am. Even after I showed him the emails as well as the text messages, he refused to acknowledge, or work on my car. I was then referred to the first mentioned depot in Snellville. On stopping there, the manager came yelling out at me for "blocking" the way of one of its trucks. I was in a designated parking. I parked my car, discussed my issue, and they agreed to install the hitch on the contract I had with me.

On my return after 3 hours to fetch my car, it seems that their technician has broken my tail light. A quick call to BMW confirm that a new one costs $265. The U-Haul depot offer a max of $150. At this time I was exhausted, as I had only the morning open to do the install, had already cancelled meetings with clients (that is why I was in Atlanta that day), and lost a lot of time and MONEY because of the first depot refusal to honor their obligation. On arrival at my house, I made an inspection of my car, not only was the rear light broken, but also have they made multiple scratches on my bumper. Yes, I accepted $150 for a $265 replacement, but had no other option? It was nothing or the $150, sort of blackmail. And yes, U-Haul gave me $70 discount on the hitch, because their depot was not willing to honor an appointment.

But this not even approaching the damage to my vehicle, and the money I have lost by missing my appointments, with clients, in Atlanta (The sole reason I was in Atlanta yesterday). I expect the full replacement cost by BMW (that is why we buy them new from BMW), I am not interested in nonbranded replacements. I also expect more than $70 discount. I have used U-Haul multiple times over many years. This may have been the last time.

I hardly know where to start. My son is moving across province tomorrow. 2 weeks ago, I booked an appointment to have a trailer hitch installed at the Scarborough, ON, CAN U-haul on May 2nd at 5:30 pm. On the day of the appointment, I received a text reminding me of my appointment on May 10th at 2 pm??? I called immediately to rectify the problem and was told that their records didn't show that I had ever booked for May 2nd. After explaining the situation (moving my son 4 days later) and the necessity for this to be fixed, I was assured that someone would contact me within the hour. 2.5 hours later I was still waiting and called again and was put through to, I think, the regional office? I'm still not sure. I was transferred from person to person about 4 times before a very nice woman came on to placate me, indicating that she would do what she could.

In the meantime, she suggested that I should book my trailer as they book up quickly. Ok... Let's do that. I booked a 5'x8' CLOSED trailer. We discussed what was going in it (bed, frame, dining room, etc, etc, etc. All the fixing's of a kid's first apartment). 5'x8' closed sounded like it would fit the bill. Yes, we could pick it up in Newmarket (where we live). I was, again, assured that someone would be back to me within the hour to sort out the hitch. Crickets... I called once again the following day to the Scarborough office. The woman who answered looked me up on the computer and said that I had indeed been originally booked for May 2nd and had no idea why it had been changed, but someone would get back to me shortly. I'm still waiting. Fine. Screw it... We borrowed my sister's car because she's got a hitch. Fine...

I called the Newmarket place this morning to be absolutely certain that our trailer was available and sort out final details about pick up, drop off, etc. "You're coming in at 4 pm to pick up?" Ummm NO! 6:45 is what we booked. She quickly rectified that. It's there, we're booked, all set. Good, good, good. All systems go! My husband went to pick it up at the Newmarket location and arrived 20 minutes early. They booked the wrong ** trailer??? Are you kidding me??? So now he has to take a half day off work to go to another town to pick up a trailer tomorrow, so we can load it with all the kid's furniture in 2 hours before we make the 6 hour trek to Ottawa. I'm taking bets as to whether it actually happens. I'm fairly certain my son will be sleeping on an air mattress 'till we can book another weekend to get there.

This has been, hands down, the absolute worst experience I've had with any company, enterprise, group ever in my 48 years. There's money to be made for the person who starts up a rival company because U-haul blows. Completely garbage company with zero accountability to their customers. The ONLY reason they continue is because they're really the only recognizable ones out there. Monopoly does not equate quality.

I was moving to Florida from California and decided to reserved a container through U-Haul. I have never used U-Haul for anything other than local moves. On April 3rd I made all the arrangements for drop off and loading of the U-Box. On April 12th it was to dropped off and loaded at my house and then delivered at a U-Haul facility on April 27th. From the beginning the whole process did not go well. The Company who was supposed to drop off and load my U-Box was not able to get in contact with me due to the fact that my email address and phone number were not inputted correctly in the U-Haul system.

After several phone calls to U-Haul and being transferred around one of the Customer Service agents was able to find out what the issue was and correct my account information. The moving company (Good Guys Moving Company) finally contacted me and showed up on the scheduled date and time. They were in and out of my house very quickly and did an excellent job.

Well April 27th came and went and no update from U-Haul as to where my U-Box was. I called and was transferred around from Customer Service, to Traffic, to the local store in Oakland, to Customer Service again. I finally spoke with someone who told me they were not sure where my U-Box was and transferred me back to the local Store in Oakland who never answered the phone. I got frustrated and hung up. I had to take care of shipping my car and make other arrangements so I figured my stuff was in Florida and was ok (fingers crossed) even though I still had not heard from U-Haul.

After a week, past the promised delivery date, I contacted the U-Haul location in Oakland for an update, still no answer so I was forwarded to the call center for the stores and was told my U-Box would be in Florida on May 3rd between 9am and 4pm. I asked why was there a delay and was told they did not know and transferred me to Customer Service. Thank the Powers that be for Customer Service agent "BREANNA". YEAH!!! I was very lucky to be her next call because Breanna was very pleasant, helpful and said she would not hang up or transferred me. She was able to tell me exactly when my U-Box would be delivered in Florida, as well as the U-Haul location where my U-Box would be stored. She also updated my contact information and asked if there was anything else she could help me with. She also apologized for all that I had gone through on my previous calls.

When I told friend and family I was using U-Haul for my long distance moving and storage they were surprise because they did not trust them to deliver good service. With my experience I am on the fence about using them again, even for local moves. If it was not for Breanna my relationship with U-Haul would have ended. She took ownership of my issue and made sure all my questions were answered to my satisfaction. If the other Customer Service agents took a page out of the Breanna's playbook then more customers would be less frustrated with their service and probably use them for more than just local moves.

The U-Haul location on White Bear Ave. Maplewood, Mn has to be run by complete lying deceiving idiots. I would rather not even rate them as one star but if I put no stars they might think I just forgot. This is the most inept, disgusting operation in the whole world, they sure can screw up one's schedule. I needed a trailer hitch installed to transport some merchandise and I 1st find out that it will be 7 days before they can do it. So, I change my schedule, then 2 days before my appointment they call and tell me that they can't do it that day as they had a technician quit and they are now shorthanded. O.K., makes me mad but these things do happen, they then reschedule me for installation 9 days later.

A couple days later I get a call and they are verifying that the May 4th appointment is all set. I ask him for ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE OF THIS DATE and his comments were "ABSOLUTELY, YOU CAN BANK ON IT". SO, I have to reschedule my trip because I need the hitch to pull my trailer. Now today, May 3rd, I get a call and they cannot do the installation because they had a technician quit. I told him he used that lame excuse last time but he claims it is true. I informed him that I would have the hitch installed and I didn't give a damn where he got the technician from. He suggested I go to another store and have them install it and he would call around and find one for me. 10 minutes later he calls and he found another location to do the work but I would have to come there and pick up the hitch and take it to the other location.

Here's the catch, the other store is over 35 miles farther than their store. I informed him that they could reimburse me for gas and time to get this done. His reply was "ABSOLUTELY NOT". LORD, I wish I had read all of these reviews before purchasing thru U-Haul. This whole chain of rentals and hitch installations must be manned by the "Village idiots" from every town. How can they even stay in business with all these complaints and bad press?? It must be they have a basic monopoly on the market. I'll be if someone really pursued the rental and installation business they would run this bunch of inept, worthless, uncaring individuals right into bankruptcy. I wonder if U-Haul even follows up on complaints or reimburses people for their shortcomings? I doubt it because if they did they would improve things dramatically. OBVIOUSLY THEY DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT IT. Well, they'll never see another penny of my business.

I think that U-HAUL is ripping their customers off. If you return a rental and there is more gas in the fuel tank than it went out with U-HAUL gives you no kind of credit. Can you imagine the millions of customers they are making a profit off of. However on the flip side if you return your rental and the fuel tank is just a shy short of fuel they over charge you an outrageous amount for the fuel. It's a win win for them either way.

I will NEVER rent from U-HAUL again. They care nothing about families or their customers as their recordings states as you wait long periods of time before someone answers the phone. And as another customer stated in her review, they do not walk you around the truck to inspect for damages or show you the fuel tank level. They just give you a key and say, "Look for your truck." What kind of customer service is that? And by the way I even return the truck a day early. Do not rent from the U-HAUL in Lisle, IL at the U-Stor-It location.

Last week I ordered two U boxes to be delivered to my residence. They were scheduled to be dropped off at my home 4/28/2017 at 9 am. 9:30 am I called them. 2 days apart to confirm that it's going to be at my residence all agreed that it will be here. I got a call for Josh at the Spruce location asking for my email address and all payments and etc. will be handle through email. Come Thursday no boxed delivered. I called and they don't know where the boxes are, then they, "We thought you were going to bring your stuff to our location and load it". Why would I load 3 65" TVs, 1 gun safe and household stuff and 22 boxes into a Nissan Xterra and drive to you to load my stuff. I don't think one TV will fit.

They don't know how the mistake happened and the girl in Fontana wants me to rent a truck and take it to their yard and fill the boxes and that will save my 199.00! What in their right mind will I take everything downstairs, load into a truck that I have to pay 29.99 plus mileage to take my stuff and load the U boxes, now they say that they can get the U boxes to me around 5 pm but can't pick them up till Saturday afternoon which I'll already be in Colorado and they're going to sit in a parking lot with everything I own. After this I will never use U-Haul again. I'm still thinking about calling PACK-RAT or PODS... I can't see how you can screw it up after setting it up and confirming it 2 other times that they can get it so screwed up.

On 4/24/2017, I visited the U-Haul Rental Center at 6443 Evergreen Way, Everett, WA 98203 to purchase a Lighting-Kit for towing a vehicle. The General Manager (**) asked me details about our move, and when I told him we had reserved a Moving Truck with Budget Truck Rental, he quickly offered a Price Match. I showed ** the Budget Truck Rental Reservation ($442.40 Rental Price + 79.00 Tax: TOTAL -- $521.40), and he offered me a Price Match. When I went to pick up the U-Haul Truck, the $521.40 Price Match had jumped to $729.00. I spoke with a female named Ashley with U-Haul Central Reservations -- she told me that ** shouldn't have Offered me the $521.40 (After Tax) Price Match, and that she would need to ADD an Additional $79.00 in TAX, bringing the TOTAL to $729.00 (rather than the $521.40 Price Match ** had quoted me).

We called about 7am to make a reservation to have our hitch installed. We said we already bought our own hitch. He said that's fine. We go in at 4pm to get it installed and we are told they only install "U-Haul brand" hitches. Now, it's too late to find anyone else to install!!! Had we known, we could have made other plans!!! When you call customer service, the recording says that "We will be recording this call so that we can be sure we keep our promise to you." So I called and asked them to keep their promise and install the hitch!!! They said NO. The money and trouble this will cost is unbelievable. I guess as long as THEY don't lose money that's all that matters! Thank you Mr. Scott ** (manager) for keeping your promise to us. NOT. Run from this company, Home Depot rents trucks out too!

I had a very bad experience with a recent rental. I rented a truck in one city to pick up a trailer in another city to bring a car back to the original city. Short version, I got the truck, went to the small town trailer location & they said my truck & trailer combo would not work. (UHAUL set up the combo) I didn't get the trailer, got pissed off and drove home. After numerous online & phone attempts I was about to give up but decided to write a letter to the TOP DOGS!! 4 days later the VP of UHAUL apologized for the misunderstanding, explained what happened & refunded the fees. AWESOME!!!

Well let's see where to start. First this is a review of U-Haul in general but since I can't review the corporation the local office will have to do. So I reserved a truck for a one way rental from Phoenix to Lancaster. At the time that I reserved the truck, I was directed to a screen that said if I used a one way rental, U-Haul would pay for my first month of storage. They provided links to a couple of storage facilities. I clicked on one and reserved a unit. Now when I get to the storage facility, I'm informed that the free month only applies to U-Haul branded facilities and this location (Storage Express in Lancaster) wouldn't honor the free month, even though they're a U-Haul dealer. Now the original offer didn't include small print stating this or cover this at any portion of the offer.

However at this point I'm stuck. It's raining and I need to get the truck turned on or pay for another day so I lease the storage space. I also complain to U-Haul about their bait and switch tactics as well as their dealer not honoring their offer. I receive an email from Russ ** who says that he's the president of the company and to get in touch with him and he'll resolve the issue. So I get in touch with him Mr. ** who then tells me, "Oh, I can't help you. I'm the president of the company in Arizona. You're in California."

So at this point I go on the interwebs and find out that the CEO, Joe Schoen, went on national TV and have out his cell phone number (**) and said, "People can't get this organization to behave, I can." So I call him and get the inevitable voicemail. But, Mr. Schoen gave his email (joe@uhaul.com). So I forward the entire email exchange to Mr. Schoen. Almost immediately, Mr. ** calls me. I politely told him that I escalated the matter to the CEO and if the CEO wanted to resolve the situation, he could get in touch with me. Mr. ** then emailed me (misspelling my name) and said, "I'm sorry if my email confused you." What?! Condescending prick.

I again informed Mr. ** that I had escalated the matter and didn't wish to be contacted by him. Sure enough, he emails me yet again at which point I figure that for a "president" of a major corporation like U-Haul that he doesn't even possess rudimentary reading comprehension skills. Bottom line, this company is just out to take your money. At least they could be honest about it.

April 15/17 #** Overall problems: Hours on the website and from CS are inconsistent. I got three different opening hours for Buckhorn! Drop-off locations are confusing. Requested a drop-off at one location but not allowed in the system and had to drop-off at another! Peterborough UH - I booked in advance by one month for Peterborough pickup. Two days before pick-up, I got message saying that the nearest truck was in Buckhorn! Buckhorn UH - Location had NO sign whatsoever. I was also first in line but last served, as he was operating a bakery onsite. When I asked if he could take care of us, he replied that the bakery “was his preference"! He started paperwork once again but went away to take food orders. I had to wait 1/2 hour. It gets worse. He was so busy he told me to go into the U-Haul system and book it myself!

2 Upton UH - I eventually dropped off at 2 Upton (also NO signage btw!). I find out that the gas attendant is UH rep! But when I ask him to sign-off, he REFUSES! He says he will not sign for a truck he knows nothing about! I asked him for his name and he would not provide. He starts yelling! I eventually had to sign the release MYSELF and take pictures for proof I returned in good condition. Wow what a bad experience!

I had rented from U-Haul many times in the past. Reserved a trailer to pick up today. I had hired a guy (I did not know him) to drive the truck that was to pull it. When I got there to pick up, they wanted driver ID. They entered his driver's license and it showed he owed them $44 (which they even admitted was being disputed). They also said the guy he normally worked for owed them money. So... they said the guy's name would always link to his boss' name and both of them would always be linked to my name until their accounts were paid off and that I will be denied rentals! They would not even let me hook it up to my own SUV. I was stuck with no trailer for my long distance move and ended up having to put it in storage! They said this is policy throughout U-Haul.

I am firm believer of the "if you are sick, stay home until you are no longer contagious" movement. Apparently these people are not. I came in to buy some things and rent a truck, the woman at the counter was visibly sick. She had no hand sanitizer near her computer, she followed me around and got very close to me, made no attempts whatsoever to keep her distance or germs to herself. DayQuil may make you feel well enough to go to work, but it DOESN'T make you not contagious!!! If you are sick DO NOT GO TO WORK, DO NOT go to the STORE have some respect for yourself as well as others and stay home until you are no longer contagious, which is 24 hours after your symptoms go away.

Now I am sick, miserable, and have to take off of my work and lose my pay and I'll be having to care for some sick kids while I do it. Thank you sooo much for making no attempt whatsoever to stop the spread of disease. No Respect for other people!!! I went all winter long without getting sick once, now the weather is beautiful and I have to be stuck inside because this lady doesn't know how to use sanitizer, keep her distance, or most importantly not leave home when sick!

I've been renting from U-Haul for each time I make a move. I will NEVER give them my hard earned money and business again. I booked a U-Haul a week or 2 in advance and requested I be able to drop my truck off at a different location. However, U-Haul sent me somewhere I could do that because that was this company personal truck. I had no choice but to get the truck on my moving day after calling around for a different location because they were the only ones that had the 26 in truck at the time.

This company (SkyRocket) at 1501 W Little York in Houston Texas provided me the truck. The owner ** did not attempt to give me a walk around the truck, show me the mileage nor gas. But because I am a U-Haul renter I knew the guidelines that they followed and I asked him to give me a tour of the truck. He only showed me the key that goes to the lock in the back. I noticed damage all around the truck so I brought that to his attention so that there wouldn't be no misunderstanding when I returned the truck. The contract he gave me, I noticed it said the tank had 3/4 worth of gas which was untrue so I blew the horn and called Mr. ** back to the truck to show him it was a little above 3/4 of a gallon. So we went back and forth and he said just return it where the gas level is now. I said okay and drove away.

As I was driving I tried turning on the AC. There was hot air blowing out. I quickly called the shop back to tell them this problem and to see of they knew. ** stated he would write something up on the truck and get it fixed for next customer and rushed me off the phone saying he would call me back. Never did he call me back to check on situation. So I pulled over to roll down both windows. Then I noticed blazing heat on my feet as I was driving. I looked down and I kid you not I could see the whole motor/transmission of this big 26 inch truck. The heat that was burning my feet was coming from the motor plus outside heat. I immediately panicked and called ** back. He stated he didn't know what I was talking about and said he would put in a order to get situation fixed when I returned the truck.

So I pulled this truck over again and showed my husband who was following right behind me what was going on. He had to latch down the coverage in the middle of the truck to cover the motor/transmission that was causing fire heat to my feet. So by this time I am absolutely upset and I'm hot from no heat in this truck plus I'm moving around so much on my moving day, just to get back into a truck with no a/c. So unpleasant!

I finished moving at about 645pm. ** said to just call him and update him the time I will be bringing the truck back because he close at 7 but will wait a little time soon could return truck. I explained to him I could get the truck back to him at about 7:10 pm. He stated I could bring it to him as soon as they opened at 10am and he wouldn't charge me for the extra day because I'm guessing he was ready to go home. Okay fine! So I return the truck at 10am sharp. Another customer and I waited on ** for about 15 minutes to get to his business that was supposed to be open at 10am sharp. So that was just the start of ** putting me behind schedule of a busy day. I had to take my daughter to a party, and my mom was waiting on me to pick her up from having her the previous day so that she could start her day.

** checks the truck in the system and tells me I went 166 miles. I immediately got upset and wrote down every single location I went to, got on my Google Maps and wrote down the mileage from location to location. His whole attitude was he didn't care. So right in front his face I called U-Haul customer service. The representative stated that he had charged me for 166 miles plus a extra day of having truck and the insurance I added on. So while on the phone with her I asked him didn't he tell me he was not going to charge me for a extra day. He stated, "I did tell you that". Then he all of a sudden changes his demeanor and says he needs help taking it off, when at first he had this cocky attitude.

I explained to the representative I only went 63.9 miles in this big truck I was skeptical about driving in the first place so there's no way I would have even went that far. She took my complaint and I still ended up paying for 166 miles when I only drove 63.9 miles. He called his area manager ** to learn how to get the extra day off plus insurance coverage but ** kept throwing him off telling him to call U-Haul customer service, and customer service said that ** was who he needed to speak to.

So after 3 whole hours, they finally get the extra day off of my balance but I still have this 166 miles that I have paid for. Over a $100 I have paid for someone else mileage. I waited 5 business days to receive a call from someone in corporate but no one reached out to me on this issue so I called U-Haul back. Representative stated, "Oh they refunded $50 to your account". I told her I have not spoke with anyone regarding that and I wish to talk to someone before they just throw my situation away and just credit me $50. I spent well over $50 for miles I did not drive. She gives me the manager who worked on my case and come to find out, it's **, buddy of **.

So I spoke with him and he says, "Yeah I emailed you and called you (which was a lie) but I only gave you $50 because of your experience with the truck as far as the transmission showing". We checked the mileage and the mileage was correct. I told him there was absolutely no way the mileage was correct. I don't know if someone personally used the truck and did not update the mileage or what, but I know there is no way I have went 166 miles. I calculate my mileage everytime before I get a truck from U-Haul so I will know how much my ending balance would be. He insisted that he was right, I was wrong and that he would compensate me more money if he call the customer who has the truck now and they say the air is not working.

So he emails me finally today and says the customer said it was no issue with air. This has to be a joke right? Why would I lie about not having air? Why would I take out time to call them back and state I don't have air on my busy moving day. I never asked for a discount for not having air ever, so what would my intentions be to lie about not having air? I emailed ** back and said they were a scam and I would not stop until my voice is heard.

I spent nearly $300 for U-Haul that was supposed to be no more than $150 with insurance for my ending balance. This issue has caused me stress and extra money I do not have. I'm so disgusted with U-Haul. They don't even deserve 1 star. I will be writing a letter to the corporate office since no one will call me back from their office. I don't want anyone else to go through what I have been through. So just like I'm taking time out of my busy schedule on my lunch break right now to write this, I will continue to take time out of my busy life to get this matter handled. If U-Haul cannot resolve this issue and recompensate my money, I will definitely be taking this to court. That's a promise! I work entirely too hard to provide for me and my daughter for someone to take advantage of me and rip me off like that.

U-Haul Company Profile