Walk-in showers offer an alternative to the classic shower-bathtub combination. They can add floor and/or storage space to a small bathroom, or they can offer an oversized, luxury shower experience.
These types of showers come in a wide variety of styles, shapes and sizes to fit every budget. Walk-ins are manufactured and sold by home appliance stores, bathroom fixture suppliers and large retail outlets. They are also a good aging-in-place option for seniors whose mobility and eyesight may have deteriorated.
Top 8 Best Rated Walk-In Showers
VETERAN OWNED. Bathing Safety Walk-in Bathtubs help with the prevention of falls in the bathroom. Products include a safety bar, built in seat, and hand-held shower. There are even options for hydrotherapy and air massages.
|Read 90 Reviews|
Hydro Dimensions takes the walk-in bathtub to the luxury level. Their tubs are designed to work with existing bathroom designs to create a bathing experience that is functional and beautiful.
|Read 148 Reviews|
Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are carefully designed to combat bathroom slips and accidents. They come installed with anti-slip surfaces, built-in grab bars and low steps that make them accessible to virtually anyone.
|Read 814 Reviews|
Independent Home helps seniors stay at home for as long as possible by reducing the risk of accidents in the bathroom. Their one-day installation option lets residents get walk-in tubs on their own schedules.
|Read 267 Reviews|
Jacuzzi Walk-in Tubs offer a massaging experience designed to work out daily aches and pains. The extra tall design lets bathers relax in water up to their necks, as jets propel a carefully balanced mix of air and water.
|Read 190 Reviews|
With over 30 years of experience, Premier Care in Bathing is a company that provide bathing solutions for seniors, those with limited mobility, the handicapped, those with chronic conditions, veterans, caregivers and more.
|Read 209 Reviews|
American Standard Walk-in Baths makes shopping for an accessible tub quick, easy and intuitive. Simply input the desired measurements and see a variety of options that will fit in the available space.
|Read 8 Reviews|
Since 2000, Barrier Free Living has provided a wide range of home accessories to help people with limited mobility. Customers can find ADA compliant products for their bathrooms, as well as accessible kitchen products.
|Read Expert Review|
What features matter most?
Walk-in showers are one of the most versatile features of a home when it comes to size. As long as there is space in the bathroom, the walk-in can be as small or large as you like. For particularly small bathrooms, the walk-in can provide more shower space than traditional tub designs.
- Single: The single shower is a great space saver. It can be made smaller to better accommodate your space, or it can be made larger to provide more comfort.
- Double: Double-sized walk-in showers are designed to fit two people comfortably. These are great for married couples or for anyone who needs assistance showering.
- Large: Larger walk-ins are all about luxury. They may or may not be enclosed, and they can feature more than one shower head.
The shower head is arguably the most important part of the shower system since it is responsible for getting you clean. Many designs are available that have certain water pressure or spray methods. Many shower heads are programmable or multi-functional so you can switch back and forth between certain settings.
- Massage spray: This pulsating spray penetrates and soothes the muscles while performing its regular cleaning duties.
- High-efficiency spray: This mode feels strong and effective, but it actually uses less water than a straight-on spray.
- Adjustable full body spray: This spray pattern widens to cover a large portion of the body at once. It’s great for shampooing thick hair and for relaxing.
There are many beautiful and varied designs for walk-in showers that come from a variety of manufacturers. Depending on the space you have to work with, certain designs may fit better than others.
- Corner shower: A corner shower occupies one corner of your bathroom. This is a classic and popular placement since it makes the best use of smaller spaces.
- Suite shower: The suite shower is attractive and luxurious. Its large enclosed space separates it from the rest of the bathroom, making it appear like an entirely separate room or ensuite.
- Round shower: The round shower is a popular modern trend that treats the shower space like the central feature of the bathroom. This is a beautiful way to showcase a large bathroom space.
As with most home appliances, walk-in showers are available in a wide range of materials. They vary in price, durability and overall aesthetic appeal.
- Glass: Durable glass is a popular material for shower enclosures and doors because it is classic and beautiful.
- Tile: For open walk-in showers, tile gives a luxurious look to the entire bathroom. It can be installed along the walls and the floor to match.
- Plastic: Plastic has a lot to offer in terms of style and durability. Often used for enclosed showers, it is available in clear, colored or frosted styles.
Walk-in showers are ideal for people with certain physical disabilities because they allow entrance and exit without the need to step over a bathtub rim or shower riser. There are other specific safety features to consider as well.
- Bench seat: A bench seat is perfect for times when you’d like to relax or for those who are aging or have a disability. The bench seat also is great for shaving.
- Safety bar: Designed to provide support, grab bars can be installed virtually anywhere within the shower space. They are usually inexpensive and highly effective.
- Anti-slip floors: Tile, cement and other floorings can be incredibly slippery. Anti-slip floors provide grip for your feet and help keep prevent falls.
These features are not normally included with a basic shower, but they can be useful and can add an air of luxury to your walk-in shower. Additional features can provide more safety and security as well as aid caregivers who are assisting the bather.
- Programmable: Programmable showers allow you to select settings such as temperature and spray type for different members of the household. Simply select your preferences through a digital control.
- Steam room: This is an addition that works with enclosed showers to create and trap steam—perfect for anyone who enjoys a sauna experience.
- Handheld shower hose: This feature allows you to unfasten the shower head from the wall and move it so you can rinse more effectively.
- Foldable and flexible doors: These doors allow extra room for caregivers to assist the bather and can also allow a walker or shower chair into the shower.
What are different types of walk-in showers ?
Enclosed showers are completely surrounded and are easy to access through a door.
The open walk-in has no door and a wide expanse of tiled floor. It usually requires a great amount of space so that excess water doesn't pool on the floor of the bathroom.
In this design, multiple shower heads are placed around the walls of the shower so that you are hit from multiple angles by the spray.
Who's it for?
Single people can customize their walk-in shower to meet their particular needs, whether it be a luxurious shower experience or a compact shower to fit in an apartment.
Couples can opt for a double shower if they choose, and they can customize their walk-in shower based on the size of their bathroom and any extra features they want.
A family that uses one bathroom for bathing needs plenty of space for storage and their shower. In addition, any fixtures need to be durable and safe to use.
Disabled and elderly
Individuals with special physical needs can find it much easier to get in and out of a walk-in shower than a bathtub. Elderly people can benefit from the ease of access as well, particularly when coupled with certain extra features such as benches, safety grab bars and flexible doors.
Caregivers will find these certain features that enable them to more easily help with bathing of their care recipient.
Premier Care has been in the industry for more than 30 years. Its goal is to provide high-quality and safe shower and bathing facilities for disabled and elderly consumers.
- Best for Disabled and elderly people and their caregivers - this population is the company’s focus, and they will benefit from a great range of products with specific safety features.
Safe Step is an American-owned and operated company whose products are made and manufactured in the USA. They aim to provide the best product for the best price.
- Best for Singles, couples, disabled and elderly individuals and caregivers. These showers are designed with the elderly in mind, which makes it the ideal choice for older people and for people with physical disabilities.
Barrier Free Living focuses on providing a variety of home design elements for people with physical disabilities. You can find accessible kitchen and bathroom appliances and fixtures in their catalog.
- Best for Elderly people and caregivers, singles, couples, families and disabled. The wide range of shower products means that there is a choice for everyone.
Hydrotherapy Bathing focuses on the benefits of hydrotherapy for consumers. Their Jacuzzi Walk-in Shower combines elements of hydrotherapy with the comfort and function of a regular walk-in shower.
- Best for Disabled and elderly individuals, singles, couples and families. The special functions of the shower make it ideal for relaxation and safety.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.