4.4/5 (31 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About ADT Medical Alert

ADT Medical Alert specializes in personal emergency response systems (PERS). Similar to ADT home security systems, these medical alert devices connect to a 24-hour monitoring center. The company charges ongoing monthly fees for this service, but there are no upfront costs. Also, the company’s ForevRate guarantee means your price won’t change.

Pros

• No upfront equipment costs
  • Price lock guarantee
  • Optional fall detection
  • Reasonable cancellation policy

Cons

• No automatic testing
  • No free trial period

Bottom Line

ADT Medical Alert offers in-home and mobile devices. Systems are available with temperature monitoring and optional fall detection pendants. Packages come preprogrammed and do not require long-term contracts.

Top ADT Medical Alert Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My grandfather's 88 years old and suffers from dementia. He has an ADT Medical Alert and for me, it definitely gives me an extra added sense of security. It’s had one issue where ...

Verified

ADT Medical Alert's team is very friendly. Last time, my husband, he was so shocked with my condition. He didn't know how to call 911. And this way with the system, it's easier an...

What is ADT Medical Alert?

ADT Medical Alert systems provide in-home and mobile device monitoring for older people who want to live independently. With the touch of a button, any user can connect to an ADT support representative who helps determine the appropriate response and sends help immediately.

ADT Medical Alert systems run on landline or cellular connections, depending on the plan, and all its plans and equipment come with a lifetime warranty that covers any broken or damaged devices. ADT also doesn’t require a long-term contract — users can sign up on a month-to-month agreement.

ADT Medical Alert systems

Each ADT Medical Alert plan comes with a base unit and a wearable device, but the look and features of each unit vary based on your plan.

adt medical alert basic
Medical Alert Basic
  • $29.99 per month*
  • In-home use
  • Landline required
  • Home temperature monitoring

*At the time of publishing

ADT’s Medical Alert Basic is the least expensive plan the company offers. Customers choose between a wearable pendant or a wristband device that can function as far as 300 feet from the base. This plan also includes home temperature monitoring, which notifies the user if the temperature rises above or drops below normal levels.

All ADT medical alert plans come with waterproof wearable devices, but the Basic package is the only ADT medical alert that requires an active landline connection.

adt medical alert plus
Medical Alert Plus
  • $35.99 per month*
  • In-home use
  • No landline required
  • Home temperature monitoring

*At the time of publishing

The Medical Alert Plus has a larger range (600 feet) and sleeker equipment than the Basic plan. It comes with a wristband or pendant, and the base has a digital screen that displays the temperature, date, time and battery level. This equipment runs on a cellular connection, so you don’t need a landline.

You can also choose to upgrade this plan with a fall detection pendant, which alerts the monitoring center in case of a fall.

adt on-the-go
On-The-Go
  • $39.99 per month*
  • Mobile use
  • No landline required
  • GPS location capabilities

*At the time of publishing

ADT’s On-The-Go device is an excellent option for active users who want the support of a monitored medical alert system without being tethered to their homes. The system has a portable base unit about the size of a pager, which lets users get the help they need pretty much wherever they are.

GPS technology tracks your location, so ADT’s monitoring support representatives can send emergency services directly to you. The portable base unit is rechargeable, and like with the Medical Alert Plus, the company offers optional fall detection on this model.

ADT Medical Alert cost

Depending on the plan you choose, ADT’s monitoring costs range from $29.99 to $39.99 per month if you’re paying month-to-month, and fall detection costs an additional $10 per month. However, customers who pay quarterly or annually receive discounts and a free lockbox.

All services have a locked-in price for the lifetime of your plan, and ADT Medical Alert lets you automatically deduct your monthly fee from your bank account for no additional cost.

Since ADT Medical Alert devices operate on a month-to-month agreement, you can choose to upgrade, downgrade or cancel your service at any time.

ADT Medical Alert FAQ

How does ADT Medical Alert work?

Once you press the button on your medical alert device or it senses a fall:

1. It connects to an ADT-run monitoring center. ADT’s medical monitoring center is available 24/7 and offers multilingual support.
  2. An ADT customer service representative makes contact through your device. The average response time is 15 seconds or less.
  3. The representative determines the severity of the situation and sends the appropriate emergency response. If the user does not respond, ADT automatically sends emergency services.
How accurate is ADT’s fall detection?

It’s hard to say. No fall detection system is perfect, so customers who need assistance should always press the emergency button if they can. There is no automatic testing for ADT Medical Alert systems, so the company advises customers to test the fall detection regularly.

Will my ADT medical alert still work if the power goes out?

Yes, all base units come with a built-in battery that lasts up to 20 hours.

What’s the installation process for ADT Medical Alert systems?

The company offers installations for an additional fee, but the setup is designed to be simple enough for most customers to handle themselves.

You can easily move ADT’s systems, too. However, unless you have the On-The-Go package, you should alert a representative that you are moving.

Do ADT Medical Alert systems need maintenance?

Base units don’t require regular servicing. However, ADT doesn’t provide automatic testing for its devices, so you should test your system regularly.

Do we recommend ADT Medical Alert?

ADT Medical Alert is a reliable option for customers who want industry-standard features with the reliability of a well-known brand. ADT’s trained representatives send help when users need it. Active and sedentary people alike can find a plan that works for their lifestyles, and customers can also take advantage of fall detection services for an additional cost.

ADT Medical Alert Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT Medical Alert?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

The first one I purchased was about four years ago. Someone came to the building and gave us a presentation. The rep from ADT was knowledgeable. I listened and I thought it would be suitable for me to have that. I followed up on it and I checked the system. They sent someone here to set it up. The first system I had was for indoors and would only extend to the lobby of the building I live in. I kept that system for two or three years.

Then, I upgraded the system. I liked the idea that this system is on the go and it has served me well. The first time I used it, I was glad I had it because my blood pressure was up extremely high and I felt like I was going to faint. I went ahead and pushed the button and I was so pleased with the promptness. They responded right away and the ambulance was here quickly. They also set up a conference call with my two sons who are both out of state. The only thing I'm not pleased about is that I am paying back a fee for the ambulance costs, which was $255. I couldn't afford to pay it at one time, so I'm sending them a $50 check a month to cover the cost of the ambulance travel to and from the hospital.

ADT Medical Alert response

Sandra- We're so glad to hear you're OK! Thank you for being such a wonderful part of the ADT family and please reach out to our specialists directly at 1-800-238-2727 if we mat be of any additional assistance.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 3, 2022

I had a little bit of weakness in the left leg and also a little bit of dizziness and we went with the ADT program because it has a GPS system where if you activate it, it kinda shows you within so many feet. But that was corrected by medical. It was just a simple imbalance. We got that fixed and now, the device is more of a safety matter. I like it. It gives my wife, who works at night, the confidence. She'll get a call if there's something going on. It brings peace of mind to us all. We don't mind paying $150 every three months for the security on it is worth it.

Our charging cradle for the GPS wasn't charging and we put it in there after being out and the light wouldn't come on. We had issue after issue on it. I was getting calls that the battery was running low, et cetera, et cetera. So, I finally called ADT and talked to them about it. Two days later, I had a brand-new GPS unit out here and all I ever had to do was activate it. ADT ought to make a wrist module that straps on the wrist with a clock on it. That way, you would have the best of both worlds because you would have your wristwatch plus your activator if necessary. The new unit we got in is beautiful and works perfect. It does everything I wanted to do but I’ve never had any need on it. ADT is a very good service. Later, we might consider using their doorbell device. We've talked about it but right now, we're okay. They did good so I'm satisfied.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I fall a lot and the doctors couldn't figure out why. So they insisted on me getting a medical alert device and I'm glad I did. ADT checks in every month and test their machine to make sure that it's working so it'll be ready, just in case. I didn't get to even use them. But last month, I fell. I can usually get up and maneuver myself, so I don't have to call anybody. But every once in a while, I need the fire department to come help me get up. And at that time, I couldn't get to the phone, so I pushed my button. The rep asked, “Can I help you?” And we went to business and the fire department was here in no time.

The device is like a necklace but I don't go anywhere anymore so I don't wear necklaces very often. But I'm used to that now. I tell everybody about ADT Medical Alert. I'm not supposed to take a shower without people here and a lot of times, it's too far between. I can hang my device in the bathroom while I'm taking my shower because the moisture doesn't bother it. I don't put it right underneath the running water. I don't want to ruin it. But it's right there beside me. So I can take a shower whenever I want to.

Original review: March 24, 2022

My father is going through treatment and he was slipping and falling at the house. He passed out one day in the tub with my mother, and she got stuck holding him up for an hour and a half. So, I ordered ADT Medical Alert for my parents so that they could keep their independence a little longer. I liked the ADT On-the-Go, where my parents can take to the doctor's office with them. Also, it works on AT&T’s network. I liked that they had that option.

The people from ADT, in general, were very nice. It's just that the English on one of the calls I had was very hard to understand. The payment portion was a nightmare. It’s supposed to be direct billed to my credit card so I don't have any nasty past due notices. Because they have their own security system at the house, the payment issue was very frustrating. They don't do payments in advance so I could just set it up when we set up everything else. You have to wait till you get a bill, then you have to set up the payment. So, I had to call them. They put you through this whole system then you put your own credit card. You feel safe and confident. You enter your own credit card and expiration. Then they come back on the line with you. The rep didn’t set up the monthly billing right. Then my dad was in the hospital, and I get a past-due notice. I haven't gotten any more past due notices though.

The other thing is they keep saying we can go to the online app to set it up, but I can’t because I don’t have the alarm system. I don’t have the code, so I can’t pay it through the app. I have to deal with customer service, which takes longer and more time. I already had a stressful time. So the last time, I screamed at the guy and said, “I just want to pay the goddamn bill. Would you just put me through so I can pay the damn bill?” Finally, I was paying it, and I had to apologize 20 times to the man because I felt so bad.

One of the times my mom needed it, it took ADT about three minutes to answer. That's kind of scary when you’re sitting there for three minutes. The other two times, she said they were very quick. I like the security. The nice thing about the On-the-Go is my mom gets to wear the communication device on her chest. My dad gets the wristband on his wrist. So, if he presses it, my mom knows there’s a problem. The device made it perfect for the situation that we were in. That was so convenient.

ADT Medical Alert response

Hi Rae. Thank you so much for the review and feedback. We appreciate you sharing this with us. While any outbound calls for any signals we received should take place ASAP, we apologize for any hold time you experienced when calling in to ADT. For peace of mind, any inbound calls are not handled by the same agents that would be calling out on alarms, so any emergency calls would not be affected by inbound hold times. We want to ensure those agents are readily available to handle any emergency signals we get.

Original review: March 17, 2022

My mom needed something that had fall detection. She lives alone and was having some health issues. I wanted her to have that protection. ADT sounded like the best option for us. The device arrived in a couple of days and I was pretty impressed. Their staff helped us with the set-up and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.

We tested the device originally then my mom was in the hospital and in rehab for a while so we haven't tested it since. It went off once when I had it at my house when my mom accidentally hit it. My brother answered her cell phone and let ADT know it was a false alarm. My mom had recommended ADT to her friends. So far, we've been really happy with the device and the pricing.

ADT Medical Alert response

Hello. Thank you so much for the positive feedback and sharing your experience! We're so happy to have you as part of the ADT family!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

We have the ADT Pulse system in the house and ADT Medical Alert was offered. It was part of the package and I felt comfortable having it. I've got a considerable amount of property and I wander and garden, and it's a very secure feeling. I've not had to use ADT Medical but I would recommend it. The only issue I have is my cat stepping on the unit occasionally. But there is no problem. We'll be in Florida for the winter and I will be discontinuing the service but I'll reactivate it as soon as we get back.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I’m very happy with ADT. I had to use it when I fell off my ladder upstairs in my walk-in closet and fractured my femur. People were here in five minutes. The lady said, “Are we gonna be able to get in your house?” I have the alarm system. They couldn't use my alarm and get in through the garage. But I was able to bump down on my behind because I have a chairlift.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

Wearing the ADT Medical device is not fun. I don't enjoy having it around my neck and I don’t like it. But I feel more secure having it.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

Dealing with the reps has been good and I feel much safer with ADT Medical Alert. I'm glad that I have it. I wear the device 24 hours a day. It's a good thing to have when you have the condition that I have.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2022

First fail occurred with initial shipping of order. Went to the one place I said DO NOT send it there. Lost a whole day of monitoring because of that. Promised "just open the package and call us." Failed to mention the 3 hour charging time required before just calling. So now 48 hours plus we are waiting for a different machine because the original doesn't work. We pleased for them to send the Landline version as we have unreliable cell service. They refused, because "first we have to try the other monitor." So now with the addition of a weekend we are out about 6 days. Second option didn't work either... Which is what we told them would happen. For an elderly person with 2 falls in 24 hours 6 days is a very long time. I would not recommend this company yo my worst enemy!

ADT Medical Alert Company Information