4.6/5 (264 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About ADT Medical Alert

ADT Medical Alert specializes in personal emergency response systems (PERS). Similar to ADT home security systems, these medical alert devices connect to a 24-hour monitoring center. The company charges ongoing monthly fees for this service, but there are no upfront costs. Also, the company’s ForevRate guarantee means your price won’t change.

Pros

• No upfront equipment costs
  • Price lock guarantee
  • Optional fall detection
  • Reasonable cancellation policy

Cons

• No automatic testing
  • No free trial period

Bottom Line

ADT Medical Alert offers in-home and mobile devices. Systems are available with temperature monitoring and optional fall detection pendants. Packages come preprogrammed and do not require long-term contracts.

Top ADT Medical Alert Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

ADT Medical Alert's team is very friendly. Last time, my husband, he was so shocked with my condition. He didn't know how to call 911. And this way with the system, it's easier an...

What is ADT Medical Alert?

ADT Medical Alert systems provide in-home and mobile device monitoring for older people who want to live independently. With the touch of a button, any user can connect to an ADT support representative who helps determine the appropriate response and sends help immediately.

ADT Medical Alert systems run on landline or cellular connections, depending on the plan, and all its plans and equipment come with a lifetime warranty that covers any broken or damaged devices. ADT also doesn’t require a long-term contract — users can sign up on a month-to-month agreement.

ADT Medical Alert systems

Each ADT Medical Alert plan comes with a base unit and a wearable device, but the look and features of each unit vary based on your plan.

adt medical alert basic
Medical Alert Basic
  • $29.99 per month*
  • In-home use
  • Landline required
  • Home temperature monitoring

*At the time of publishing

ADT’s Medical Alert Basic is the least expensive plan the company offers. Customers choose between a wearable pendant or a wristband device that can function as far as 300 feet from the base. This plan also includes home temperature monitoring, which notifies the user if the temperature rises above or drops below normal levels.

All ADT medical alert plans come with waterproof wearable devices, but the Basic package is the only ADT medical alert that requires an active landline connection.

adt medical alert plus
Medical Alert Plus
  • $35.99 per month*
  • In-home use
  • No landline required
  • Home temperature monitoring

*At the time of publishing

The Medical Alert Plus has a larger range (600 feet) and sleeker equipment than the Basic plan. It comes with a wristband or pendant, and the base has a digital screen that displays the temperature, date, time and battery level. This equipment runs on a cellular connection, so you don’t need a landline.

You can also choose to upgrade this plan with a fall detection pendant, which alerts the monitoring center in case of a fall.

adt on-the-go
On-The-Go
  • $39.99 per month*
  • Mobile use
  • No landline required
  • GPS location capabilities

*At the time of publishing

ADT’s On-The-Go device is an excellent option for active users who want the support of a monitored medical alert system without being tethered to their homes. The system has a portable base unit about the size of a pager, which lets users get the help they need pretty much wherever they are.

GPS technology tracks your location, so ADT’s monitoring support representatives can send emergency services directly to you. The portable base unit is rechargeable, and like with the Medical Alert Plus, the company offers optional fall detection on this model.

ADT Medical Alert cost

Depending on the plan you choose, ADT’s monitoring costs range from $29.99 to $39.99 per month if you’re paying month-to-month, and fall detection costs an additional $10 per month. However, customers who pay quarterly or annually receive discounts and a free lockbox.

All services have a locked-in price for the lifetime of your plan, and ADT Medical Alert lets you automatically deduct your monthly fee from your bank account for no additional cost.

Since ADT Medical Alert devices operate on a month-to-month agreement, you can choose to upgrade, downgrade or cancel your service at any time.

ADT Medical Alert FAQ

How does ADT Medical Alert work?
Once you press the button on your medical alert device or it senses a fall:
  1. It connects to an ADT-run monitoring center. ADT’s medical monitoring center is available 24/7 and offers multilingual support.
  2. An ADT customer service representative makes contact through your device. The average response time is 15 seconds or less.
  3. The representative determines the severity of the situation and sends the appropriate emergency response. If the user does not respond, ADT automatically sends emergency services.
How accurate is ADT’s fall detection?
It’s hard to say. No fall detection system is perfect, so customers who need assistance should always press the emergency button if they can. There is no automatic testing for ADT Medical Alert systems, so the company advises customers to test the fall detection regularly.
Will my ADT medical alert still work if the power goes out?
Yes, all base units come with a built-in battery that lasts up to 20 hours.
What’s the installation process for ADT Medical Alert systems?
The company offers installations for an additional fee, but the setup is designed to be simple enough for most customers to handle themselves.

You can easily move ADT’s systems, too. However, unless you have the On-The-Go package, you should alert a representative that you are moving.

Do ADT Medical Alert systems need maintenance?
Base units don’t require regular servicing. However, ADT doesn’t provide automatic testing for its devices, so you should test your system regularly.

Do we recommend ADT Medical Alert?

ADT Medical Alert is a reliable option for customers who want industry-standard features with the reliability of a well-known brand. ADT’s trained representatives send help when users need it. Active and sedentary people alike can find a plan that works for their lifestyles, and customers can also take advantage of fall detection services for an additional cost.

ADT Medical Alert Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT Medical Alert?

Original review: March 24, 2022

My father is going through treatment and he was slipping and falling at the house. He passed out one day in the tub with my mother, and she got stuck holding him up for an hour and a half. So, I ordered ADT Medical Alert for my parents so that they could keep their independence a little longer. I liked the ADT On-the-Go, where my parents can take to the doctor's office with them. Also, it works on AT&T’s network. I liked that they had that option.

The people from ADT, in general, were very nice. It's just that the English on one of the calls I had was very hard to understand. The payment portion was a nightmare. It’s supposed to be direct billed to my credit card so I don't have any nasty past due notices. Because they have their own security system at the house, the payment issue was very frustrating. They don't do payments in advance so I could just set it up when we set up everything else. You have to wait till you get a bill, then you have to set up the payment. So, I had to call them. They put you through this whole system then you put your own credit card. You feel safe and confident. You enter your own credit card and expiration. Then they come back on the line with you. The rep didn’t set up the monthly billing right. Then my dad was in the hospital, and I get a past-due notice. I haven't gotten any more past due notices though.

The other thing is they keep saying we can go to the online app to set it up, but I can’t because I don’t have the alarm system. I don’t have the code, so I can’t pay it through the app. I have to deal with customer service, which takes longer and more time. I already had a stressful time. So the last time, I screamed at the guy and said, “I just want to pay the goddamn bill. Would you just put me through so I can pay the damn bill?” Finally, I was paying it, and I had to apologize 20 times to the man because I felt so bad.

One of the times my mom needed it, it took ADT about three minutes to answer. That's kind of scary when you’re sitting there for three minutes. The other two times, she said they were very quick. I like the security. The nice thing about the On-the-Go is my mom gets to wear the communication device on her chest. My dad gets the wristband on his wrist. So, if he presses it, my mom knows there’s a problem. The device made it perfect for the situation that we were in. That was so convenient.

ADT Medical Alert response

Hi Rae. Thank you so much for the review and feedback. We appreciate you sharing this with us. While any outbound calls for any signals we received should take place ASAP, we apologize for any hold time you experienced when calling in to ADT. For peace of mind, any inbound calls are not handled by the same agents that would be calling out on alarms, so any emergency calls would not be affected by inbound hold times. We want to ensure those agents are readily available to handle any emergency signals we get.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I liked ADT Medical Alert's price. Purchasing was very easy. I called them, they sent me a link and I filled out the form. On the same day, my dad was signed up. Two days later, he got his device. It was a very quick turnaround. When my dad plays cards, he leans forward and presses the device. ADT will call and say he’s fallen. I'm like, “No, he’s sitting at the table with me.” About twice, it got caught under his arm. They called. So, they've been very efficient in phoning when it seems like the device has gone off. Overall, they've been amazing.

ADT Medical Alert response

Hi Lorraine! Thank you so much for the feedback! Glad to hear it was a false alarm!

Original review: March 17, 2022

My mom needed something that had fall detection. She lives alone and was having some health issues. I wanted her to have that protection. ADT sounded like the best option for us. The device arrived in a couple of days and I was pretty impressed. Their staff helped us with the set-up and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.

We tested the device originally then my mom was in the hospital and in rehab for a while so we haven't tested it since. It went off once when I had it at my house when my mom accidentally hit it. My brother answered her cell phone and let ADT know it was a false alarm. My mom had recommended ADT to her friends. So far, we've been really happy with the device and the pricing.

ADT Medical Alert response

Hello. Thank you so much for the positive feedback and sharing your experience! We're so happy to have you as part of the ADT family!

Original review: July 2, 2021

My grandfather's 88 years old and suffers from dementia. He has an ADT Medical Alert and for me, it definitely gives me an extra added sense of security. It’s had one issue where it's oversensitive, which is a good thing. It went off while he was taking a shower. So, we just had to cancel it. But he has had two falls and both times, it worked perfectly. I get a phone notification. I asked them to call me first, so at least I can get up and go respond if I realized he had fallen. The one time that I didn't even hear my phone go off, they were here within minutes. The reps have been phenomenal.

Original review: June 21, 2021

The first three weeks or so, my mother had her necklace on all the time and she had the other one on when she came to town as she was five miles out in the country. We set it up that ADT would call me and my sister first to make sure that hitting the button was just an accident, so then 911 or the fire department won't have to come out. There was an issue one night when our mom went over to the mobile device that was plugged in and she kept pushing the button. ADT called us and we went out, and my sister flew out of the bathtub and got to our mom's house. She was sitting there like, “What the hell are you doing?” She also said that ADT would never answer. I told her that she kept redialing.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Early experience: Easy to order, fast shipping, easy setup, and easy test. Good instructions and it seems it will be easy to use when necessary. No negatives to report. I hope I never have to relate a real life experience with it.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I have a dear older friend and I was worried about her being alone because she was now unsteady on her feet. So, I bought ADT Medical Alert for her. They seem to be the most reasonably priced. Also, I know they do a home security system so I figured they would be dependable.

ADT Medical Alert response

Hey Cheryl! Thank you for the positive review and feedback! We'll be there for your friend when they need us!

Original review: March 25, 2022

My mother has the device as a precaution in case she fell and I was at a doctor's appointment, she could get the help, or if she fell out in the yard and didn't have a phone. It has gone off twice and she was out of town when that happened so we are not sure how that happened. It could have been a power failure. But it's good.

ADT Medical Alert response

Hi Abbey. Thank you for the review and feedback. Glad to hear it was a false alarm, and we hope your mother continues to be safe. Please let us know if you continue to have any issues with false alarms.

Original review: March 23, 2022

We sent the ADT Medical Alert device back because it wasn't working. It wasn't communicating. The ADT people told us to send it back. I'm not impressed with ADT's customer service. They sent the ambulance out to my mother when the alarm went off and they called three people. We all said, "Don't send the ambulance," and the ambulance came out. They contacted me, and I called them right away. I called the main number that they told me to do, and they said, "Press 1." I never got that prompt. I just had to speak to somebody. They called all the other three people and they did the same thing. They all called back, and they still sent the ambulance.

ADT Medical Alert response

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding our services. We do apologize that are services didn't meet your expectations. We would love the opportunity to speak to you further regarding our services. We can be reached at 1-800-238-2727.

Original review: March 22, 2022

My brother had fallen in January and he didn't have any way to get ahold of anybody because his phone was out of reach and he couldn't get up to get to it. So whenever I got into my house, we started calling around. ADT was the one that came up with the best coverage and service in our area because I live out in the country. So we got it for him. He fell just the other day. It's got a fall alert on it and it immediately picked it up. It said, “There's a fall detected.”

ADT Medical Alert response

Hi Wanda. Thank you for the review and feedback! We hope everything is ok with your brother!

ADT Medical Alert Company Information