Get Pricing

2. Medical Alert Systems

4.6/5 (250 ratings)

About ADT Medical Alert

ADT Medical Alert specializes in personal emergency response systems (PERS). Similar to ADT home security systems, these medical alert devices connect to a 24-hour monitoring center. The company charges ongoing monthly fees for this service, but there are no upfront costs. Also, the company’s ForevRate guarantee means your price won’t change.

Pros

• No upfront equipment costs
  • Price lock guarantee
  • Optional fall detection
  • Reasonable cancellation policy

Cons

• No automatic testing
  • No free trial period

Bottom Line

ADT Medical Alert offers in-home and mobile devices. Systems are available with temperature monitoring and optional fall detection pendants. Packages come preprogrammed and do not require long-term contracts.

Top ADT Medical Alert Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

What is ADT Medical Alert?

ADT Medical Alert systems provide in-home and mobile device monitoring for older people who want to live independently. With the touch of a button, any user can connect to an ADT support representative who helps determine the appropriate response and sends help immediately.

ADT Medical Alert systems run on landline or cellular connections, depending on the plan, and all its plans and equipment come with a lifetime warranty that covers any broken or damaged devices. ADT also doesn’t require a long-term contract — users can sign up on a month-to-month agreement.

ADT Medical Alert systems

Each ADT Medical Alert plan comes with a base unit and a wearable device, but the look and features of each unit vary based on your plan.

adt medical alert basic
Medical Alert Basic
  • $29.99 per month*
  • In-home use
  • Landline required
  • Home temperature monitoring

*At the time of publishing

ADT’s Medical Alert Basic is the least expensive plan the company offers. Customers choose between a wearable pendant or a wristband device that can function as far as 300 feet from the base. This plan also includes home temperature monitoring, which notifies the user if the temperature rises above or drops below normal levels.

All ADT medical alert plans come with waterproof wearable devices, but the Basic package is the only ADT medical alert that requires an active landline connection.

adt medical alert plus
Medical Alert Plus
  • $35.99 per month*
  • In-home use
  • No landline required
  • Home temperature monitoring

*At the time of publishing

The Medical Alert Plus has a larger range (600 feet) and sleeker equipment than the Basic plan. It comes with a wristband or pendant, and the base has a digital screen that displays the temperature, date, time and battery level. This equipment runs on a cellular connection, so you don’t need a landline.

You can also choose to upgrade this plan with a fall detection pendant, which alerts the monitoring center in case of a fall.

adt on-the-go
On-The-Go
  • $39.99 per month*
  • Mobile use
  • No landline required
  • GPS location capabilities

*At the time of publishing

ADT’s On-The-Go device is an excellent option for active users who want the support of a monitored medical alert system without being tethered to their homes. The system has a portable base unit about the size of a pager, which lets users get the help they need pretty much wherever they are.

GPS technology tracks your location, so ADT’s monitoring support representatives can send emergency services directly to you. The portable base unit is rechargeable, and like with the Medical Alert Plus, the company offers optional fall detection on this model.

ADT Medical Alert cost

Depending on the plan you choose, ADT’s monitoring costs range from $29.99 to $39.99 per month if you’re paying month-to-month, and fall detection costs an additional $10 per month. However, customers who pay quarterly or annually receive discounts and a free lockbox.

All services have a locked-in price for the lifetime of your plan, and ADT Medical Alert lets you automatically deduct your monthly fee from your bank account for no additional cost.

Since ADT Medical Alert devices operate on a month-to-month agreement, you can choose to upgrade, downgrade or cancel your service at any time.

ADT Medical Alert FAQ

Once you press the button on your medical alert device or it senses a fall:
  1. It connects to an ADT-run monitoring center. ADT’s medical monitoring center is available 24/7 and offers multilingual support.
  2. An ADT customer service representative makes contact through your device. The average response time is 15 seconds or less.
  3. The representative determines the severity of the situation and sends the appropriate emergency response. If the user does not respond, ADT automatically sends emergency services.
It’s hard to say. No fall detection system is perfect, so customers who need assistance should always press the emergency button if they can. There is no automatic testing for ADT Medical Alert systems, so the company advises customers to test the fall detection regularly.
Yes, all base units come with a built-in battery that lasts up to 20 hours.
The company offers installations for an additional fee, but the setup is designed to be simple enough for most customers to handle themselves.

You can easily move ADT’s systems, too. However, unless you have the On-The-Go package, you should alert a representative that you are moving.

Base units don’t require regular servicing. However, ADT doesn’t provide automatic testing for its devices, so you should test your system regularly.

Do we recommend ADT Medical Alert?

ADT Medical Alert is a reliable option for customers who want industry-standard features with the reliability of a well-known brand. ADT’s trained representatives send help when users need it. Active and sedentary people alike can find a plan that works for their lifestyles, and customers can also take advantage of fall detection services for an additional cost.

ADT Medical Alert Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ADT Medical Alert?

Original review: May 15, 2021

My sister-in-law explained to me about ADT Medical Alert and when I called them, their reps filled me in more on the system and how everything works. And that night, I signed up. So far, I’m glad I've got this unit. I have the necklace and one time, I took it off and I tried to jerk it. Then I laid it down and I heard someone asking if I was all right or if I've fallen. They have that automatic feature where the device goes off before they call you and that's what I love about it. So I know that if I fall, they're going to call and check on me.

I also told my mother to get one for herself because she lives alone. I ordered this system for her and I paid for it out of my pocket. And I'm glad I did because one time, my momma got stuck in the tub and couldn't get out. Another time, she fell. And one time, her pendant wasn't charged, so they couldn't get ahold of her. They called me and told me to tell her that she needs to charge her pendant. They're really on their job and I like that. The only problem is with my health, I'm back and forth in the hospital and I haven't had the money to pay the bill like I need to. I had to pay other bills and because they took me from the hospital to a facility since I was weak from my stroke, they took all my money, so I couldn't pay ADT. But this month coming up, I'm going to let them know that I'm going to send them a payment, though I may not be able to send the whole payment.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2021

The main factor for me getting the ADT medical alert device for my aunt was her being able to reach out to me if she fell. One of the things that we wanted to have was something similar to my alarm system in my house with ADT where there's a call hunt group for a number of people to reach out to first before calling an ambulance if there's a need for that. That played a big part in the fact that we were able to set up at least four family members that ADT could call in case she fell again and needed assistance before calling the ambulance. When we had looked at it a few years ago, that was impossible. It was just call the ambulance and get the ambulance there. In some cases, that is not needed.

ADT's customer service was fantastic. I explained to them what I needed and they knew exactly what I was looking for. It took me about 20 minutes on the phone to get it signed up and shipped over to me. The device gives my aunt a sense of security that she's only a button away from me. It also gives me a good feeling that if anything happens, she can push that button and someone can reach me right away.

One of the things that wasn't mentioned was the unit that goes in the house also serves as an intercom. I didn't know that till it came in and we were setting it up, and the ADT rep was talking to me through the intercom. I'm not sure how well that would work even though the unit is in there and it covers at least a 600 square foot radius which covers her whole house. I'm not sure if she would be able to communicate with anybody on that if she fell in the bathroom. Given where we placed the unit which is probably in the opposite direction of the bathroom, she would never hear that person talking through the intercom. If ADT wants to continue with that technology, maybe continue with satellite speaker microphones that you can put in different areas of the house and not the main hub unit.

Original review: May 3, 2021

The young lady who was the customer service person that I talked to was awesome. She took her time with me and answered questions. She was very relatable. She had said she had a grandmother and somebody that had used it. We talked semantics and logistics and how it worked. I had talked to two other companies but with her, ADT has got a salesperson. She doesn't go through the script, rush you through and sound like a freaking automated service. She makes it very personable and that's hard to do coming from a big company. I feel like, to this day, if I needed to call her for something, that she would try to help me the best she could. That was the number one reason I went with ADT. I don't like great, big corporations but when you're going to do GPS tracking for somebody and call emergency services, you want a big corporation that has the ability to do that. Not all ADT's reviews were great but no company has 100% great reviews. If they did, then something would be suspect.

However it’s a little misleading. I didn't understand fully that you don't just get to wear the bracelet out then if you have an emergency, hit it. You got to take that little square GPS thing with you every time you go out. That thing is thick and big and I don't want to have to take that whole thing with me. One thing I would change is make that thing smaller. That was the only reason I was looking at a couple of other companies. One of them offered something very similar but you didn't have to have both. If you wore the watch, you didn't have to have the other thing.

But I have loved my ADT medical alert device and my family has loved it for me too. It's given them a lot of peace of mind. They have called me to test it. They call me whenever I had been out of the house and had carried it with me and forgotten to put it back on the freaking charger. That was hilarious. They called my daughter and my daughter called me and told me, “Mom, put that back on the charger.” I forgot about it when I did get home.

Original review: April 11, 2021

I started out with Life Alert. My children looked at that and they said, "We have ADT and we can get a better system with ADT than you do with Life Alert." So I canceled them and went with ADT. However, I have to take it off when I go to bed because it feels like it's trying to strangle me. I don't feel comfortable with it. The floors are wood but they're not slippery. So I'm able to go to the bathroom and come back to bed and do things that are normal at night. But when I get up in the morning, I take it out of its charger and put it in its pouch and hang the pendant back on me.

But when I wear it in the shower, I have had problems with it. I haven't touched it and I haven't done anything. I haven't even bent over when it goes off. The first time that happened, I had left the main unit in its charger. Then I was in the shower and I couldn't hear it. So they were calling me. Finally, I got in touch with them before they called. But they had already sent a unit out to come and take care of me and I was fine. It's done that several times.

Also, I'm very careful when I take it off and lay it very gently down on the window ledge right by my bed because it's gone off a couple of times just doing that. So the last time it happened, whoever I talked to said that they would consider sending me another one, that maybe this one was too sensitive. But this device makes me feel a little better. I have stepped on a step and started to fall backward and my daughter was right behind me. I am not in denial of my Parkinson's but I'm still walking and I'm still doing everything I normally did. It's just not as easy. So this lets me know that if I fall, I'm gonna have help.

Original review: April 8, 2021

I have ADT security for my home for a couple of years and they do a good job. When my wife had dementia in the early part of February this year, we needed some safeguards around the house. We talked about a medical alert and I knew ADT had it. My daughter and I thought it would be a good idea to put the communication box with two fall pendants because my wife has already fallen two times before we ever thought about this. That was one plus to get it. I called ADT and the advisor that I talked to was very nice. By the end of the conversation, we took the service for the home alert service.

The only thing I don't like about the pendants is they're too nerdy. You really got to be careful where you put them down and how hard you put them down. If you fall, there's a gimmick in here that trips ADT for them to call us on the communications band and find out if we need help which is a good thing. That way, we don't have to call the fire department or the police department if something happens. I've only had it since February 23th and it seems to be working fine. They're very conscientious. If problems come up, like a low battery or I take off my pendant and put it on the dresser too hard and it goes off, they're Johnny-on-the-spot to get back to you and to find out whether you need help or it was just a miss.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Looking into options for a medical alert system online, and answering some questions, I was matched with ADT. I was hesitant to sign up for the program, but my family was quite definite that I needed to do something. I decided on the wrist band. Really hate the necklace idea. I received the kit today and it is all set up and ready to go. I must say, though, that the band is a cheap rubber strap that is very warm to wear. Thought it might be more of a leather strap. This system should suffice for my needs.

Original review: July 8, 2021

ADT Medical Alert's team is very friendly. Last time, my husband, he was so shocked with my condition. He didn't know how to call 911. And this way with the system, it's easier and very comfortable.

ADT Medical Alert response

Thank you for the feedback and five star review!

Original review: July 2, 2021

My grandfather's 88 years old and suffers from dementia. He has an ADT Medical Alert and for me, it definitely gives me an extra added sense of security. It’s had one issue where it's oversensitive, which is a good thing. It went off while he was taking a shower. So, we just had to cancel it. But he has had two falls and both times, it worked perfectly. I get a phone notification. I asked them to call me first, so at least I can get up and go respond if I realized he had fallen. The one time that I didn't even hear my phone go off, they were here within minutes. The reps have been phenomenal.

Original review: June 26, 2021

My husband can have the device in the shower or when he's outside -- wherever he is, it’s with him. I feel much better about that. Also, if I'm not available, my son or daughter are on the list to be called before 911. It gives the entire family great reassurance that one of us would be able to help him or get him help if needed.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I feel safer having this medical alert device and I feel good by wearing it. The only thing is sometimes it's on and then I bump into something or lean against something and they go off. Other than that, I'm really enjoying it.

ADT Medical Alert Company Information