toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We interviewed several providers of stairlifts. We went to the Massachusetts center of Stannah Stairlifts and see their product and it was a good fit for the house and for my mother. And we thought the quality was excellent for the price. The salesman, Jonathan, was very knowledgeable, personable and he answered all of our questions. He took as much time as we wanted which we appreciated. We were not rushed and he presented the product extremely well.

One guy came out to do the installation and he was very professional. He took care of everything efficiently and cleaned up after himself beautifully. He made sure my mother could operate it. Then he gave her lots of instructions and he did a fine job. I like the ease of operation. The stairlift has made my mother's life much easier. She can now go up and down the stairs whenever she chooses. And every day she says that she's so glad I made her get it. Overall, we were very pleased with everyone from sales to the staff in the Franklin, Massachusetts office who took their time with us as well and made sure that my mother had the information she needed. My mother's thrilled with the stairlifts.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife needed a stairlift and I went with Stannah Stairlifts after it was referred to me by a relative. They seem to be a quality product to buy. I like it better than some of the others like Acorn. I like their sales representative. He was a nice guy and was very helpful. Their installation team was very polite, quick, and clean. The whole job was 100% in my book. And the remote feature is the best. It makes it very convenient. With the stairlift it's less tiresome. You can carry your groceries up on it. I'd recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Installing the Stannah Stairlift allows my mother to go up and down the stairs. It’s a practical necessity for her at this point because she has difficulty walking in general and can’t go up and down the stairs without someone supervising her. She has tried out the stairlift a couple of times and it’s been all right so far. Their sales people were very helpful and the guy who installed it did a good job. He was helpful too and was very good at explaining and showing how the stairlift worked. Overall, they’re very good, prompt, diligent, knowledgeable.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband has been very sick for nine months, but he’s recovering now and my son wanted us to have a stairlift because we were afraid he'd fall if somebody wasn’t home. I researched most of the stairlift companies and we have pamphlets that gave us the information we needed. Stannah Stairlifts is well-known, it’s number one, it had a couple of features that we like and the price is right so we got one. My husband could turn it when he got to the top of the stairs so he was always heading in the right direction. If we have gone the front stairs, they had a curve and it would’ve been a lot more money, so we did it on the back stairs. It's perfect because nobody has to watch him on the stairs anymore. We love it, my husband thinks it’s wonderful and we’re very satisfied with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We are renting a stairlift from Stannah and my daughter uses it. It's properly installed and it really works great. Stannah's sales person and the installation team were very nice people. I would definitely recommend them to anybody.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Stannah Stairlifts had the design we wanted and we like the stairs. It gets my daughter, who doesn't walk upstairs, upstairs. The installation team knew what they were doing. They came and fixed something when it was a problem, but after that, everything went very smoothly. The stairlift looks nice and it works well. We're just very happy with Stannah Stairlifts and I would recommend them to people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I chose Stannah because they are family-owned and the salesman who came to the house was really nice compared to some of the other guys. He’s very prompt and informative and cut right to the chase. He told me what I wanted to hear and then he executed it. The installer was an awesome guy too. He did a perfect job. The only thing that was left was the chair. We had a little trouble with it, though, and we called for service. They came that day and took care of it and it's been perfect ever since. That was another good thing. The whole product is an excellent thing. It's working out real well. If I knew anybody that needed a chairlift, I would definitely recommend and say, "You should use no other company."

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I wanted to purchase the Stannah stairlift for my aunt and my uncle. They are 90 years old and they don’t have any children, so I’m the closest person to them. They also live on the second floor of the house. I’m a handyman and I work in a lot of people’s houses. Everyone I know that has a Stannah stairlift is very happy with it. I usually go with what I know and what works.

I was with my uncle when the gentleman, their sales rep, came. He was very pleasant and very efficient. He did his job, answered all the questions and left us all the brochures. The gentleman that came to install the stairlift was very professional. He called 10 minutes before he got there and then he showed up just on time. He showed both my aunt and uncle how to use the stairlift and had them both try it till they were semi-comfortable with the stairlift since it’s going to take them a little while to get used to it. He knew what he was doing and he did a very nice and clean job.

Even if the Stannah cost a little more money, it’s a good product because one of my customers has had it since 2002. They use the Stannah stairlift all the time and they’ve never had a problem with it. My aunt only got to use the stairlift once to go to the emergency room. She’s been between Salem Hospital and a rehab ever since. Hopefully, she’ll be home next week and it’s definitely going to give her the freedom to be able to get out of the house more, instead of having to worry about going up and down the stairs. I have recommended Stannah Stairlifts to other people. It was a very pleasant and great experience for me, from the first phone call to the final installation.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a total knee replacement and I just got out of the rehab center. I had Acorn come first but they told me my entrance was too small for their equipment. I then saw Stannah Stairlifts' truck outside the house of my neighbor whose husband fell ill. I gave Jane, the wife, a call and she told me that they love their Stannah stairlift. She told me what to do and who to talk to. She also told me that she would talk to the manager who measured theirs. Stannah's reps were professional, caring and understanding. I got a mirror image of Jane's which made the manager's job much easier. The manager also knew exactly what we were talking about. Stannah's installation team was marvelous. They were in and out fast and I was very thrilled with it.

But the stairlift is that it's a little slow. I understand that you don't want to go too fast, but when somebody is at the door, a lot of times they won't wait and I don't have any way to tell them to wait unless they call me before. UPS, a lot of times, don't knock. This morning, my friend's father tried it out because he's the one that helped us pay for it. When he got off, he left it and didn't get it off the last step. So when somebody was knocking on the door, I can't figure the stairlift out unless I had to reboot it and figure out how to get it up the last step because it was not going right. I had to yell out the window to the guy to wait and that I was having problems with my stairlift. Other than that, I absolutely love it and I really feel grateful for it. Without it, I would never have been able to come home yet because I can only take three steps and that was very painful. I'm elated with my Stannah stairlift.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I happen to live in a house that has three levels and my sister has dementia. When people have dementia, they lose various understandings of how to do simple things like walking, brushing their teeth and for my sister, climbing steps. And you can't reach from one level to the other without going down the set of steps. So I did a process of elimination of stair lift providers because I don’t want to purchase one outright. I wanted to rent it and Stannah Stairlifts offers it so that was an asset for me.

Their salesman was very cordial and informative about his work and his company. He’s a very pleasant man that you would like to invite in your home. The installation team was also very professional and they did the job as quickly as they could. They're very informative in explaining the stair lift’s features and everything that I needed to know. And so far, it’s been good. It’s been helpful to my sister who’s using it. I just put her in it and she rides. It’s not so difficult to use the stairs anymore. I would recommend Stannah Stairlifts.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was doing some research online and Edwin, the guy from Stannah who came by, was very good. He showed me lots of options and I was glad that there were options for pricing because there were really expensive ones. Luckily, there was something affordable for us. Getting their stairlift seemed reasonably affordable and a good plan that I ended up buying their product. It's as good as it can be. It's complicated that my house is a little bit older and the hallways are kind of narrow. Also, sometimes the people using it are not always 100% anymore like my mother. But it's enabled her to stay out of a nursing home so it's good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The sales visit was timely and very positive. The salesman was knowledgeable, helpful, and gave practical recommendation as opposed to just trying to push a money-maker. I needed to do a follow-up phone call, and he responded immediately considering he was on vacation. After he came right to the house and worked with us, I wanted to see the stairlift in person to try it with my dad, so we went to their showroom. The woman there was fantastic. One guy came for the installation and he did a very nice job. He was neat and polite. He explained and demonstrated the stairlift real well.

I like the automatic swivel, the foot rest, and the remote control. But I have a recommendation on their equipment. I would like to see it swivel a full 90 degrees. They told me it doesn’t do that because they don’t want somebody’s arm to get pinched. It only goes about 45 degrees which leads my dad trying to squat and sit on a chair that’s in an awkward position. If he were to lose his balance, he is going to fall into the chair and the handrail and the foot rail. If it came and did a full 90 degrees, I wouldn’t have to worry as much about it. As of now, he has to back up and get his feet on the edge of the wood on the top of the step. I could’ve called in and asked them to extend the rail but that would come into the way in the middle of the pathway at the top of the stairs. If the chair swiveled more, it would be a lot easier and less awkward. He wouldn’t have to put his feet out of the edge of the stairs.

Other than this, every time I’ve had anything to do with Stannah, they’ve been very professional. We’ve had them before from my father’s house when my mother was unstable. That was more than 25 years ago. My dad’s going to sell his house and the fact that they will come now to take the stairlift out for nothing out of his house and dispose all the equipment is fantastic. And the fact that they were good with installing and maintaining it made me so very comfortable to use them on this one.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I read about stairlift providers and Stannah Stairlifts seemed to be the best. The sales visit was very positive and the rep's explanation was very clear. Everything he said was represented in the product. The cost was just right and I didn't feel pestered. There were two stairlifts installed because we have a landing. The installation was fine and the stairlifts look great. The tech was very professional and worked out how to get the stairlifts plugged in, making them practically invisible. They looked beautiful and they were fun to ride.

But my husband felt unsafe with them. He was wobbly on his feet getting on and turning, and there was always somebody with him getting off, walking a couple of steps, and getting on. We don’t have a grand, Newport Mansions staircase and it was very tight going up the stairs and transitioning from one stairlift to the other one. Whoever was with my husband had to maneuver to get around the stairlift to get up the stairs and then wait for him to come up. I tried quite a few times and it was very awkward. My husband didn’t like the stairlifts and he's not doing them anymore, so we stopped using them. We rented a fold-up bed for the living room so my husband is on one floor now and he doesn’t have to go up and down.

We could have tried the stairlifts out before we had them installed. If you're really deft, flexible and agile, the stairlift is a fun but expensive toy. Otherwise, you’d feel vulnerable if you were to step over. It's a beautiful piece of equipment and it works beautifully, but the human factor has been a problem for us. I’d certainly recommend it, though, to people who are better on their feet.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife went on the internet and found that Stannah had a very high reputation. They also have other industries that are very popular and we liked the idea and we went with them. Their sales person was very professional. A very nice man came by himself and he made the installation in about three hours. The stairlift has met my expectations very well. It's very quiet and I like the smoothness of the ride. Also, I'm a big person and I rely on its quality as far as breaking down.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We bought a used Stannah Stairlifts system and they installed it for us at our house. There was a gentleman who came out, measured everything, and talked about what the process would be. He was informative and friendly. The installation team was great. The work was done very well and there was a lot of attention to detail. And they did not leave any kind of mess. Everything has worked great ever since. It's a very quality equipment and all the people who we dealt with were easy to deal with. They did a great job and it was a good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have a couple of concerns about the outside stairlift that I bought from Stannah Stairlifts. I got it because it didn't jut out at the end of the staircase as much as the other one, which came out further after it came down the stairs. I also like the freedom that it gives me to go up and down the stairs. But after the installer put it in, he told me that it needs some sort of a piece and that people buy a piece of gutter and have it cut to fit over something that's exposed to the snow. I asked the installer why didn't he have that for me and the only answer I got was that it was made in England, which I didn't care about. I spent $5400 to have the stairlift done and I was really annoyed with that. I'm disabled and I can't be running around finding people to cut a piece of gutter. They never got me one so my husband did instead. I don't know who's going to cut it, but we'll figure it out.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our experience with Stannah Stairlifts is perfect. We got it for my husband and decided on them because they’re local. The salesperson who came here, as well as the installation team, was very helpful. They met my every need. The stairlift made it possible for my husband to get in and out of my house. It's easy to use. I've recommended them to other people who have used them and they've been happy also.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Stannah Stairlifts fulfilled everything that they committed. There was no pressure put on me at any time to do anything other than to give them the opportunity to provide the unit that I selected and to make sure that it was installed according to schedule. They communicated to me clearly what would be involved, what my responsibilities would be, and what they would do to make sure that I was in compliance with the New York City code.

The installation team came in a timely way and they indicated to me the approximate time it would take to accomplish it. They met that time frame and upon completion they carefully explained to me and my ground supervisor how to operate the system and made sure that we got a complete understanding of everything we needed to know so we could operate it safely. Plus I'm satisfied with the unit itself.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’ve had a Stannah stairlift for several years and we got another one which is different because of the configuration of the stairs. I’m very satisfied with it and with the service. When we bought our first one, the representative was a very hands-on guy and he knew his stuff. The stairlift seemed like the best one at that time and probably the most expensive but it’s the best one made. For the sales visit on the second one, the sales rep was very professional and knowledgeable. Also, their installation team was super, knows their business and right to the minute. The stairlift is very efficient and does what I want. I love it and I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had an excellent dealing during Stannah's sales visit because the sales rep was very cooperative, nice and accommodating plus they also have the quickest delivery. I hate the stairlift appearance-wise, but there’s nothing to do. I'm an architect and I need it, unfortunately, and has also improved my daily life. It's an excellent experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We needed a stairlift and Stannah was the provider that could put it in in a timely fashion. The person who came to our home to discuss our options was very pleasant and very informative. The installer was very pleasant, too. He explained everything, cleaned up, and had me ride the stairlift up the stairs. We also put my mother on it and she rode up and down. He went through all the safety devices and it was good. Having the stairlift is fabulous because my mother was having difficulty getting up the stairs and now it's a pleasant experience. She just sits on it, I bring her up and I have her walker at the top and she gets to go into her bedroom without a lot of exertion.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I went to bring the chair lift back down and it wouldn't. So I first looked in the booklet and then did the things that they told me to. Nothing worked. Then I called Stannah and talked to someone. She had me go through all kinds of things, but nothing seemed to work. I called about 3:30 in the afternoon on a Monday. She said she'd have a service person out here first thing in the morning. I told her that's not really going to work for me because my mother was in the bedroom and I needed to get her to my house. And my understanding was that someone would come immediately to fix this in an hour or two. She told me she'll call me back.

Then a service person called me back and had me do all kinds of things. Nothing was working. He told me he was in Rhode Island but he could be here in an hour or he could come in the morning. An hour was fine and so he came and he fixed the problem. There was some switch that he said never ever went. It was some safety thing and he replaced it. He was very pleasant, very nice, and very accommodating.

One reason we went with Stannah was our understanding that the chair would be serviced in a timely fashion. But I felt that the initial person I spoke with didn't really understand that when one needs a stairlift, it's a matter of life and death. There's a reason and one can't be without it. That's like being without water. I can understand if it was a power outage and we had terrible blizzard. Had I not pushed to get somebody out here I'm afraid I would have had the service person coming out in the morning. But other than that, I'm more than happy with Stannah.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife got a broken hip so she needed a stair lift to get up the stairs. A friend recommended Stannah Stairlifts and then I talked to a woman on the phone and she set up an appointment with this guy. He came out and explained everything and I signed up. They looked at the situation and made a couple of suggestions. They also helped me choose the right stair lift. I thought it was practical and went ahead and did it. The guy who did the installation was very helpful. He explained everything that he was doing and why he was doing it. It can pick up my wife and bring her from one level to the other. I'm happy with the product. It works fine and I got what I paid for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were looking at three companies and Stannah came through with the highest rating. The sales team was very accommodating and my interactions with them were excellent. The installers did a great job too. I like the design of the stairlift and that was one of the concerns because we have a very beautiful house and I wanted it to fit in. It seems like it has a very good quality as well and I’m very pleased.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called another stairlift company but they didn’t seem too enthused to me at that time. Then I saw Stannah’s ad and I called them. A man from sales then came over and he was very informative. He explained everything and he was very good. The guy who installed was also excellent and showed me how to use it. Since having the stairlift, I don’t have to walk up and down the stairs, and I’m saving my knees now. I was supposed to have had a knee replacement and they can’t do it. So it used to take me a little bit longer to go up the stairs. Plus I have COPD, and when I get up the top of the stairs I’m puffing like an old steam engine. Not now, though. Everything is perfect.

Hi Mrs. Flagg,

We pride ourselves on employing professional, courteous and well informed installers and sales people. We're glad that our team made you feel comfortable, provided you with a clear understanding of the product and left you feeling confident after you purchased. We hope that you and your husband continue to enjoy your stairlift, just make sure you hide the keys away from those grandkids :)

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

When the Stannah salesman came to the house, he looked professional and clean. He arrived on time, which was really important because the two people that we had dealt with before arrived on the same day. But I had to call one and they asked me what window of time they gave me. I told them they didn't. I am a chaplain and they didn't give me a window. And then, the second man who came was talking about used and new. We were uncomfortable because I thought he was pushing used and I wanted something that was mine and brand-new.

In contrast, the Stannah man was pleasant and he told us how it would be done right up on the stairs, whereas we didn’t hear that from the other two. It wouldn't hang from the wall and it could be done in three to four hours. He was specific, right down to what color of seat we would want. He seemed to be honest and trustworthy. We chose Stannah knowing it was at least $1,000 more and that was okay. The installer arrived and he had his own coffee in his hand. He asked if he could have it in the house and I told him I'd have fixed him some coffee. He had his coffee, and when it came down to leave, he made sure he took it and he left the place immaculate. When he needed to use a bathroom, he asked and I couldn’t believe it. He put in the stairlift in three hours and I had a fantastic experience.

Our stairlift adds to our life nicely and is a big difference. It was really timely and we can’t believe how much or how often we use it. There were times I would have liked to have been downstairs and done something and I wasn’t doing it because I’d have to climb back up. It’s a little elevator for our belongings too. The laundry, food, and groceries go on it. However, the grandchildren do not and we now hide the keys.

Also, I like that at the top of the stairs, it turns towards a little claw so that I couldn't fall down the stairs and I feel safe getting off. My husband likes that it all folds up so that people can walk up and down the stairs without feeling scrunched. It’s neat-looking and it’s better than we anticipated, which is a nice way to feel about something you bought. I thought it would be clumsier but it’s not and it's smooth. We’re both very pleased.

Hi Ms. Abele,

We're glad that you had a positive experience with our team and are now enjoying your stairlift. We hope that it continues to make life easier for years to come!

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I saw Stannah Stairlifts advertised in the magazine and decided to get it. The sales rep was very good. He explained everything to me and my husband, including what they were going to do. It was very easy to understand him. The installation team came in on time and did a good job as well. The stairlift makes it easy for me to go upstairs as often as I want. It's very easy to manage and to use and I'm satisfied with it.

Hi Shawn,

We're glad that your dad is enjoying his stairlift. Stories like yours are why we do what we do. Three cheers for independence!

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I chose Stannah Stairlifts because of its reputation, cost and flexibility of payment. The installer that came was very polite, professional and efficient. My father likes that he's able to get in and out of the stairlift himself, and it's getting him back to independence.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Stannah was closer in Massachusetts so we chose them over other stair lift providers. The salesperson Doug was very nice and he came back several times. One thing that he did for me that has proven to be most helpful was he gave me a pamphlet about the Mass. Commission of Disabilities. It’s a place run by the state that allows people to get loans or grants to make their home accessible, including the stairlifts. It was wonderful. He even gave me a couple of more pamphlets ‘cause my therapist didn’t even know about this.

I just gave another one out and I’m going to ask the man to bring me extra so I can continue to give them out ‘cause it would put within reach for a lot of people the ability to have something like Stannah Stairlifts or to make their bathroom or kitchen more accessible too. A publicist of the state agency's even coming on Friday. Because a lot of people didn’t know about this organization so they’re going to come and see if they can get more publicity about it. So, that is a lifesaver from the Stannah salesman who gave me the idea of it.

I just had the stairlift installed in July. The installation team was terrific. They were very knowledgeable and sweet. They worked fast too. I’m still trying to make all the adaptations like having threshold adapters put in and doing work downstairs in the front hallway. That's one of the reasons that the therapist is going to come with a series of appointments, to help me at the bottom of the stairs to see if I can get out of the house. But so far, it's very smooth and all the features seem to be working well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A guy from Stannah came and explained how the stairlift works and how it's made. The interaction I had with the installation team was good. Climbing the stairs became difficult for me and the stairlift saves me from walking upstairs. I can get up and down the stairs a lot quicker.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Stannah is a good quality product in my research on different stairlift providers. I had read some very good reviews and also liked that their office was in Franklin, Massachusetts which is in close proximity to Webster, Mass. They had a showroom and I could go there if I needed to talk to someone if there were issues. The sales visit was excellent. The gentleman was so informative, helpful and very compassionate. He used to be an installer so he knew everything about the mechanics of the chairlift. Also, he had been to the manufacturing site, the research and development in the UK, and had seen how they cast it out and he explained all that to me.

We have a staircase then there’s a landing and one more stair, and my mom can do the stair. But if she can't do it, we also talked about the curved stairlift and rail. Then he also suggested if we could get a carpenter to make the landing flat with the last stair. He ordered the rail slightly longer so we would be able to do it and the chair would get to the top landing. One gentleman came to install and he was very polite and knowledgeable in what he was doing. He had installed in two and a half hours or less then showed me how to it. My mom like that she can get up the stairs. Also, we saw a commercial of Acorn and noticed that the person had to lift up the footrest with their foot to get it up but with Stannah, it’ll automatically go up or come down if a button was pressed.

We talked about it as being one of the better features of the Stannah plus it is very, very sturdy. It’s been installed for almost two months now and so far, we've had no issues. She won’t be able to make it up the stairs to get to her bedroom if we didn’t have it. It was a great experience and a better quality of life for her to be able to sleep in her own bed and bedroom and be comfortable.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Stannah is a stairlift designer and manufacturer founded in 1867. The family-owned company aims to help people stay as independent as possible by providing their customers with high-quality and customizable stairlifts. It also provides safety testing and installation.

• Focus on safety: The stairlifts are tested for safety at various points in the design and manufacturing process.
  • Installation: Stannah installers deliver and install stairs in a professional and attentive manner. They test the lifts, help consumers understand how to operate them and clean up after themselves.
  • In-person support: Stannah technicians in the United States and Canada can provide in-person help after installation.
  • Telephone support: Customer service representatives are available through the phone seven days a week around the clock. Consumers can call a toll-free number to arrange a free home assessment, no strings attached.
  • Flexible designs: Stannah designs enable users to carry grocery or laundry bags, as well as fit with existing decorative patterns. They can also be folded for easy storage when they are not in use.
  • Fits various needs: Stannah offers rental stairlifts for short-term use, and the company's stairlifts work in wide, straight, curved and narrow staircases.
  • Best for people who can't walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition and people who have trouble bending their knees.