Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The first stairlift we had with Stannah was over 10 years ago and we just purchased a new one. The salesperson, Barbara, was absolutely phenomenal - very good and very knowledgeable. We were concerned about the amount space because there’s a foyer that the stairlift comes into. We wanted to keep it open and the extension made that possible. So, that’s one of the reasons why we went with Stannah. We like the extension piece because of having the ability of putting a wheelchair into that room which happens to be a dining room. I'm extremely satisfied and I would definitely recommend Stannah Stairlifts.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Stannah Stairlifts salesperson did a very nice presentation and he explained everything well including the functions then gave me the options whether I wanted a new or a used one. The young man was here for a couple of hours. He was in the basement and I was on the first floor. He was also knowledgeable and told me that if I had a problem over the weekend to feel free to call because he was on-call for that weekend. But the only question I had is if the light supposed to be on all the time in the armrest, like a little nightlight. I called them, but nobody returned my call. Other than that, I’ve only had it in for 10 days and use it in intervals, and I'm very satisfied. It serves its purpose and I’d recommend it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had my knees done 23 years ago and they couldn’t do them over again. I was going to call Acorn. They put a chair in the church to go up to the loft and it looked very good. I also have a girlfriend that had a chair and she had it done just the same but my son told me that somebody else told him that Acorn wasn't good. There’s this guy we knew and his sister got Stannah Stairlifts and so I used them.

The Stannah sales rep was very nice and showed a picture of the straight stairlift that comes up and down. Seeing that my son had told me that they were very good and that the guy said that it’s only straight and it's not a problem, I put my confidence in him. The installation team removed the old one which had been there 23 years and they had to put the WD-40 in it. They cleaned up after themselves and took everything with them. Then they had me sit on the chair of the new stairlift to go up and come down.

However, the rail is too long and it’s about seven inches away from the wall. At the top, the rail’s stuck out in front of the frame. If the door was to go in through, the door would hit the rail. Then the downstairs it's too close to where my grandson is. The rail is so close that when people come by, they’ll have to be very careful not to step on the rail. The downstairs was also close to the wall of my bathroom that if I try to go by, I gotta either go sideways or bring the chair up a little bit. My washer, dryer, and sink are on that side. Then, it also has cones underneath to hold every two steps when there were none in the picture the rep had shown to me

I called and the guy came back. He explained to me that the thing I have my feet on has to be almost to the floor to get off at the top and bottom. He said that’s the way it’s gotta be and he could’ve put something different as I didn’t like it. But I’ll have to take it. It’s installed and there’s not too much that I can do with it. I use the lift when I’d go downstairs to do my wash and things.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had a stairlift before that we didn’t like and we had to take it out. It had an older, clunkier design and it didn’t leave us much room to walk by. It was slower, louder and looked more like a machine rather than an accessory. I looked at the Stannah Stairlifts and it was a fine piece of equipment. It’s clean cut and well-designed. So I went with a name brand that I recognized and a company that was very well known and stable. During the sales visit, their employees explained everything and were very thorough. There weren’t any questions afterwards so we made up our minds and went ahead with the situation right then and there. The installation took three days. The stairlift is very compact and quiet. We always use it to carry the groceries up. My wife uses it but we’re at that point where it will become increasingly important to us over the next couple of years. It’s a very nice product and we’re very happy with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Stannah’s sales visit has been great. The installation team was excellent, too. The stairlift is helpful when I can’t go up and down the stairs. I like that it serves its purpose.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The sales consultants of Stannah Stairlifts were very informative and personable. They made us feel comfortable asking questions. The installation team was very good as well. They cleaned up after themselves. My daughter uses the stairlift and the chair is comfortable. It affects her tremendously because she can't get up the stairs. We don’t have any problems with the stairlift at all and we’re very happy with it. It was a positive and very helpful experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend recommended Stannah Stairlifts. My father is using it and it’s getting him up and down safely which was the main purpose. He is too weak but now he’s able to go upstairs where he couldn’t. The sales rep came to the house and we met in person. He was extremely pleasant and very well-informed. I was there when they installed it. The installer was quick and courteous. He wasn’t sure things were completely correct, so he called in his boss who came out the very next day to double-check things. Their employees were easy to deal with and things were quick. We couldn’t be happier with them, and the whole experience was professional, wonderful, and efficient.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I like Stannah’s reputation and the fact that they had that automatic lift. Their sales consultant was very nice and answered all my questions and the installation team was very professional, too. The stairlift has definitely improved my daily life. I also love the fact that I can now go up my steps. Stannah, so far, seems to be a very reliable and professional company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We love our Stannah stairlift. When the reps came out for a sales visit, everything was explained professionally and we were sold. The installation guy was a sweetheart and he explained how to work everything to me and my disabled mother. She had a stroke and she's paralyzed on her left side. The whole thing is perfect for her and I like that the chair turns so she can get on it. In a couple of years, my husband and I are also thinking of getting another stairlift for going upstairs to the second floor.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Stannah sales representative was slightly deceptive because I had purchased an automatic turn feature and that was supposed to be factory installed, but the unit that they brought wasn't and it didn’t work. Then after talking with the sales rep, he denied what he said. It was a really frustrating thing but eventually, the issue was resolved and we got what we had originally purchased in the contract. The installation team was fine though. The first guy was absolutely fantastic and worked his ass off trying to make it work. The stairlift is necessary for us and we're very happy with it. Stannah is a better-built product, they were good and they resolved the issue. I was pleased with the resolution so everything worked out.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Consumer Reports told us that Stannah Stairlift was a good product and we could depend on it. The sales rep stopped on the way from Martha’s Vineyard and he gave us a thorough description of what was involved and what the prices would be and we were pleased with him. The installation team was very thorough and they cleaned up after themselves, as well. The stairlift is very helpful since my wife has a COPD. However, we had an initial problem which was mechanical. But, I called and it was quickly resolved by somebody who was very knowledgeable. Overall, it was a very positive experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My mother enjoys her Stannah stairlift. It was recommended by my mother's friend who did a lot of research and ended up choosing Stannah. Their salespersons were constructive and responsive. Also, my mother was happy with the installation team's work. The stairlift seems to be good enough for what she needs now. It takes her up the stairs so she doesn't have to walk. Also, my mother's happy with the design. The footprint is discrete. It doesn't block the stairs and it works well. It allows people who can't go up the stairs to negotiate the stairs too. It allows her to stay in her house and not have to move out. When our arrangement of renting the stairlift for a period of time is up, she's gonna exercise the option to buy it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’ve had a very good experience with Stannah. Friends who had it recommended it to us. I got it because my wife was very sick but she passed away last month. But I have a very bad back so I’ve been using it. And the stairlift has been very helpful. I also like that the stairlift goes up in two stages, having remotes at the bottom, middle and top so that if I’m in another place and the chair’s down the bottom, I can call it.

The sales rep was also very informative, low-key and didn’t try to pressure me, as well. My only problem with it was, it took several weeks from the time I ordered till the time it was installed. But the installation guys were very fine people. Also, when I had a problem with the battery, Stannah was there within hours to fix it. Overall, it was very satisfactory.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband did a lot of research and found that Stannah had the best options and price. My husband told their sales rep, Tony, what we were looking for and he came in, saw me, and was excellent. He was little bit crazy but we loved him. He was very informative and very helpful. He gave us options but with no high pressure. More salespeople should take lessons from Tony. The installer was great, too. He was very congenial, very helpful, and made sure everything was right.

I'm in a wheelchair for three months so the stairlift enables me to get in and out the house and do what I want to do. It's very smooth and very secure. It was a very good choice on our part. It's a lifesaver. I have a few friends that I have told about it. I told them if they had any questions on anything to just let me know and I'd me more than happy to give them Tony’s number and let him talk to them. Stannah Stairlifts is an excellent company to do business with.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Stannah Stairlifts’ customer service ratings were very good. It was just a very calm, smooth transition from the sales person to the installation. I didn’t feel pressured or rushed, they gave me a lot of information about the stairlift and answered all my questions. They arrived on time and were very thorough. They were perfectionists. Cosmetically, the stairlift looked amazing. They took care in trying to hide the wires and make them blend in with the house, which was great. They were also clean, and even asked if they should take their shoes off, which was very nice.

I love the remote controls. However, I have a real problem with my hands, so it would be nice to have a voice activation feature for people who have minimal use of their hands. I also like the fact that I don’t have to have the stairlift at the bottom of the stairs. I can keep it midway if I have to, to allow for the door to open at the bottom of the stairs, and doesn’t bang into the chair. I also love that you can fold it up and keep it as close to the wall as you can. Considering it's such a big apparatus, they have streamlined it in such a way that allows the rest of the people in the house not to have it in their way, which was a concern of mine. We've been able to allow for the rest of the people in the house to use the staircase appropriately, which is great. And it's very nice to look at considering what it is and what it does and how big it is. It's very pleasing to the eye. Having the stairlift makes me want to go out more. It's not such a chore to come home and go out.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have two Stannah Stairlifts, one coming from the main floor that goes down to a landing and one that goes down into the basement or toward the finished first floor. We chose Stannah because we could rent from them. My husband is using the stairlift right now and if he continues to use it, we’ll go the whole year and purchase it. But at this point, we don’t know what will happen and that’s why we like that we are able to rent. Stannah will come and pick it up when we’re done with it.

We had to cancel at first because things happened with my husband. We also had to put an electrical outlet for one of the stairlifts before they came and installed and it was hard to coordinate but they were very accommodating. Nobody tried to talk us out of it. They’d send the check back and they told us to call when we’re ready. When we called back, they gave the schedule. It was very nice because we were not being pressured. They understood that things happen and we rescheduled a week later. The salesman was very nice and competent and the man that installed it couldn’t have been nicer. He was neat. Everything was done beautifully and very well. It’s quite an operation, easy and done very quickly.

We have a three-story house and on the first floor is our main television. We have a television upstairs but we decided that this would be more sensible for him to be on the main floor. The stairlift has made it possible for my husband to get down to the first floor and also, to get out of the house because he could take the second stairlift down to the main floor and out to the garage. However, he can’t operate it himself and the control on the end of the handle is exactly where he wants to hold on. So I always have to move his hand off it because we were operating it with the remote.

The stairs are narrow and we would like it if the chair lift could move a little bit more to the side and turn to make it easier for my husband to get out. He can get out of it but it goes down and it doesn’t turn to the right. Another thing is, when the stairlift is off, the light blinks. It doesn’t bother me but it is very bright. I would change that but it’s very minor. Other than that it has been an excellent experience. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I looked in the Yellow Pages and saw Stannah’s. We talked to them and I liked what they said so I went from there. The sales visit went very well. Our questions were answered and it was what I was hoping it would be. Their stairlift was something that I found durable. We wanted to know how much it cost and we were able to manage that. The installer was terrific. I liked him. I had to leave to take my husband to the doctor and my niece stayed and he explained everything to her. She explained it to me while the installer was here, and I was able to operate it from her instructions that she got from him. He approved of what she was saying. I did it and my husband and I were very happy about it. Both the young man who helped us decide about it and the young man who put it in were very helpful and patient.

I have the stairlift to come up the stairs which is the hardest part, and it comes up. Our younger relatives were able to follow our instructions carefully and they were able to use it without mishap, too. The stairlift has been something that we really needed and wanted and it's working out very nicely. It's a very worthwhile thing to have and it's made my life much easier. I have things that I need downstairs and I don’t dread going down. I used to dread it because I didn’t have the stairlift. But now, I don’t mind it at all. My husband is a retired gynecologist obstetrician so when he talks to people about things for their health, they listen. He had said some nice things about Stannah Stairlifts.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Stannah developing a stairlift specifically for a site was our deciding factor to purchase from them. They were excellent and they knew their business. They answered any questions we had. The installation team was also wonderful. They had to drill into concrete at one point but it was minimal. I expected a lot of noise but I didn't get that. They also cleaned up after themselves and I hardly knew they were even here. Having the stairlift has made a big improvement in the quality of the pain in my knee. My daughter saw it for the first time and she was surprised that it didn't take up as much room as she thought it would have since there's still plenty of room on the stairs to walk by. Overall, Stannah Stairlifts is a quality company to do business with. I'm very satisfied and have recommended them to a friend.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I liked the quality of Stannah Stairlifts better. Their salesman was on time, very knowledgeable and told us everything we needed to know, but didn’t push. The installation went very well, too. It took a while, but there's a lot of work involved. The installer must have been here five hours, but he got the stairlift done and was neat as a pin. He knew what he was talking about and showed us how to work the stairlift. It works nicely. I like the fact that my wife doesn’t have to walk up and down the stairs anymore. She loves it. It runs pretty smoothly though a little noisy. But once you get over that part of it, it's fine. It wasn’t the least expensive stairlift out there, but with the quality and all, it was well worth the money.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Stannah Stairlifts has a good reputation and I like that they’re only a phone call away if I need anything. They also had less destruction of surfaces for anchoring of device and they install the stairlift very quickly. The stairlift's manufactured to specs of the job and they don't have to build it onsite. They come in, put it together and leave. They don't actually cut pieces to put it all together like some companies do.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I googled about Stannah Stairlifts, read online and it looks like a good product. I called them and I spoke with Lois and she was very nice. She set the appointment for the guys to come in. The guy who came and explained everything was also very nice. He explained everything to my mother, how to use it and what to expect. He was really patient with her and it was great. And then the two guys that came and set it up were really great, too. My mother didn't want the stairlift initially because she thought it meant that she was getting older. But now, she realizes that it's beneficial to her and it's a good thing. She uses it all the time and she is able to go out now and do more things because she has her Stannah Stairlift.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I couldn't go up and down the stairs and so Stannah Stairlift has been a godsend. I thought it was the best buy for the money when I did all the cost with servicing, and also the ratings and features it had. When I made the decision, it was then from the time we saw somebody at the house which was quite quick, to when it was actually installed was a week. The installer was very good, thorough, and he took his time. He told me everything I needed to know and I felt he really knew what he was doing and that things were going to be okay. He showed me how to use it. Unfortunately, I was a bit out of it and there was a lot of information, so I had to fumble when I started but that wasn't that difficult. I like the automatic footrest feature too. It was very good and I would highly recommend it.

Resolution In Progress

Hi Maureen,

We're sorry that there was a bit of confusion in regards to the design of your stairlift. A swivel seat, manually operated by levers, at the top of the stairs is a standard design, not just for our company, but across the industry. For those unable to operate the swivel levers, we offer a powered swivel option that automatically turns the chair to face the top landing by simply holding the hand control. It sounds like that option should satisfy the needs of the person that you're taking care of. As this option requires additional parts, it does come with some added cost. If you'd like, we can send your sales person back to your house to explain your options further. We want you to be happy with your purchase and pleased with our company, and will do all that we can to satisfy your concerns.

Sincerely,

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 28, 2017

Stannah Stairlifts sounded like it was perhaps a good solution though an expensive one. We got several estimates and for some reason, we liked their salesman. He was helpful, quick and got to the point. He described everything about it. But then we were disappointed. I am responsible for other people’s care and what that salesman sold me wasn’t adequate for our disabled person. When we received the stairlift and got to the top of it, the disabled person was facing a wall and if she got off the machine, she would’ve fallen down the stairs.

So, we had to get them come out again. It took time and then they had to put something automatic to be able to turn the machine around so that it would face the floor. So that when she’d get off of it, instead of facing the staircase, she would be facing the floor where she could put her feet down and get off. However, she wasn’t able to spin the chair around. It was a little more complicated than we thought it should be. She had to pull this lever to do some things. That salesperson should have gone into detail and should have told us that it’ll stop and she’ll have to push it this way and spin it but if we get the extra thing, it will just automatically turn. Overall, we’re not happy. I wouldn’t buy it again. I spent $10,000 for the stupid thing with a lot of aggravation and I'm stuck with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Someone in my family did some research on stairlifts and said that Stannah was the company to go with. The sales visit was excellent. The installation team was a nice couple of guys and they were obviously enjoying their work. They were very professional and had a wonderful rapport. It was a very positive experience. Everything about it is 100% perfect. My father is very happy with everything about how it works. He can go up and down the stairs as often as he wants now. It’s a huge improvement.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Unlike another company that was fairly new, I heard of Stannah a while ago and they could install the stairlift right away. The sales visit was straightforward and there was only one product they offered so that's the one I got. I wasn't interested in the higher priced ones. The installation team did their job very well and they were fine. I like the fact that the stairlift is there. I'm an old man and I get very tired walking up and down the stairs. Now, I can walk around and get things done much more easily, Today, for instance, I finished my laundry which took me three trips to the basement. Overall, everything worked out well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My 17 year-old daughter has to be assisted in going up the stairs and I couldn’t get her up without a stairlift because she’s too heavy. We have used Stannah Stairlifts in another house and we had a good experience with them so we had them install a stairlift in our summer house. We did the transaction over the phone and it was very easy. I was not there during the installation so I had somebody meet the installation team. My contractor was also there and the installation went smoothly and all good. My experience has been great from start to finish and the stairlift has made everything much easier for us.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend has a Stannah stairlift in his home and he recommended it. All the sales reps were very wonderful and professional. And the installer was very good. I have cats so he abided by what I said about keeping the door to the house closed so that he could do what he needed to do in the basement and run outside. I'm 62 and I have gout in my knees. So I use the stairlift to go up and down the basement stairs. I had to get the least expensive one but I'm happy with that. My mother's also riding it. She's 91 and has a pacemaker so she would get winded going up and down the stairs. We love the Stannah stairlift. It's very good and very useful. I wish it was faster and had a speed button on it but it's saving my knees and I'm very satisfied with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My sister and I are in a ranch and we have a cellar which has the washer and the dryer. Trying to get up and down for that between ourselves and the baskets of clothes was really wearing on us. So the stairlift has been a big help and it's making life a lot easier. The sales person from Stannah wasn’t as pushy as someone else we had from another company. And he explained things a lot more so we were very happy with his visit. The installation team was great and patient with us because my sister’s 90 and I’m 75. And they showed us everything. Our experience has been very good and we have recommended Stannah to a couple of people.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The sales guy at Stannah Stairlifts was knowledgeable and helpful as far as what we needed. He knew what he was doing and what he was talking about and he recommended the stair lift that I got. It’s for my brother and he likes the remote control feature the best. It moves the chair up and down and he can get to the second floor with no problem now. I would recommend Stannah to someone who is looking for it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We saw Stannah Stairlifts in the magazines at the rehab where my dad was. We called them and the rep we talked to was a good salesperson. He gave us several ideas and options because my mother has a raised ranch which is two levels. We rented two but then we had to cancel one because they didn’t work out. The young guy that came and installed it was very nice and amazing. My dad had a stroke and I like that we can bring him up and down instead of walking and taking the steps. It kinda rotates and there's a lock so we sit him there and through the front door. My mom sits there too with the laundry as sometimes she’s tired to go downstairs. It's expensive but my parents like it.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Stannah is a stairlift designer and manufacturer founded in 1867. The family-owned company aims to help people stay as independent as possible by providing their customers with high-quality and customizable stairlifts. It also provides safety testing and installation.

• Focus on safety: The stairlifts are tested for safety at various points in the design and manufacturing process.
  • Installation: Stannah installers deliver and install stairs in a professional and attentive manner. They test the lifts, help consumers understand how to operate them and clean up after themselves.
  • In-person support: Stannah technicians in the United States and Canada can provide in-person help after installation.
  • Telephone support: Customer service representatives are available through the phone seven days a week around the clock. Consumers can call a toll-free number to arrange a free home assessment, no strings attached.
  • Flexible designs: Stannah designs enable users to carry grocery or laundry bags, as well as fit with existing decorative patterns. They can also be folded for easy storage when they are not in use.
  • Fits various needs: Stannah offers rental stairlifts for short-term use, and the company's stairlifts work in wide, straight, curved and narrow staircases.
  • Best for people who can't walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition and people who have trouble bending their knees.