2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.82/5

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of their clients. The company's products have excellent features and come with two handheld remotes.

PROS

• Economical options
  • Options for limited flexibility
  • Battery operated

CONS

• Warranty options vary by dealer

Top Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

My husband has MS and he's having a hard time climbing the stairs … The installers were very professional. They showed me how to use the stairlift and went over everything. We've been using it and my husband likes that it's there.

My 93-year-old mother-in-law moved in with me and she dreaded going up and down the stairs. Now, she just pops on her stairlift and up she goes. The Stannah stairlift has been perfect.

Stannah stair lift models

Stannah offers indoor and outdoor models for both straight and curved stairwells. This includes four stair lift models with differing style availabilities. You can buy Stannah stair lifts through a Stannah dealer. Stannah’s outdoor stair lifts come with a cover to protect against inclement weather.

• Stannah Starla: The Starla is Stannah’s most feature-heavy model. One such feature is the call button, which allows you to press a button and have the stair lift chair come to you. The call button lights up at night so you can see it easily. The seat on the Starla angles back slightly to help you feel more secure as you travel up and down the stairwell. The upholstery options look sharp - you can even choose a light or dark trim so your stair lift can match your home decor.
  • Stannah Siena: Stannah designed the Siena with space in mind. This compact model works best for narrow staircases and does a good job making use of the space available. The curved seat back helps keep riders comfortable. The armrests are slightly longer than ones in other models for added support, and the seat is also slightly wider. A retractable seatbelt fits intuitively into the arms of the chair. The Siena is compatible both with curved and straight staircases.
  • Stannah Sadler: The design of the Sadler model is for those with limited flexibility. The seat is ergonomically designed with adjustable height for comfort and non-slip for extra safety. It is a stand-up chair, so there isn’t as much weight on your back, hips and knees. The seat also produces gentle support beneath the cushion when you sit down and straightens your back by tilting up slightly when you stand up.
  • Stannah Scout: The Scout is Stannah’s economy model. Because it has a slim profile, it’s ideal for areas like basement stairs, and the anti-slip feature on the footrest is a nice safety feature. You can adjust the seat height as well. Safety sensors stop the lift if it detects an obstruction on the staircase.
ModelBest forWeight capacityBest feature
Stannah StarlaMost features350 lbs straight, 300 lbs curvedSeveral upholstery and rail options
Stannah SienaNarrow stairs350 lbs max, but can varyWide seat
Stannah SadlerLimited flexibility300 lbsErgonomic stand-up seat
Stannah ScoutAffordable option300 lbsAnti-slip footrest

Stannah stair lift cost

You can expect a straight staircase Stannah chair lift to cost anywhere from $2,500-$5,000. Curved staircase Stannah lifts are closer to $7,500-$10,000. This is a high price to pay for some people, but financing options are available. It’s essential to keep in mind that a stair lift will be a costly investment no matter where it is purchased, and Stannah stair lift prices are comparable to chair lifts from other reputable companies. Stannah recommends stair lift rentals for those looking for a short-term solution, for example, 18 months or less.

Do we recommend Stannah Stairlifts?

Yes. Stannah stair lifts are a good option for those looking for a better mobility option in their home. They have a wide range of lifts that cater to all needs, whether you want a basic model, a model loaded with features or a model for those with extensive mobility issues. We feel confident recommending Stannah stair lifts for your home.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

My Stannah Stairlift has certainly been very good. There are a few times when it goes down, it’s not exactly smooth all the way down. But on the other hand, it certainly is not a cause for concern. It did a lot for helping my sciatica pain because I no longer have to use my left leg to go up the stairs, and that’s where the sciatica problem is.

It was a straight stairlift, the typical height, the typical number of stairs, and nothing in the way. It was just that the guy should’ve brought up the possibility of a used one on his own without me having to ask. He gave me the price of the new one and that was that. When I asked about a used one, he started checking. He also led me to believe that I could get the stairlift installed in a week, and it took two weeks before he was able to get a crew. It was at the latter part of August, a lot of people were on vacation, and I think that’s what caused the delay. The day he gave me turned out to be the correct date they showed up. But he was gonna try to improve that date somewhat, and he wasn’t able to. Even the representative who was here was pretty angry over that. He talked to the secretary, and then he said he was gonna talk to the boss, and so forth, and so on that they couldn't do better than that.

The installers knew what they were doing although it took a little longer than I had expected for just a straight installation. They had to make a bunch of adjustments and I think that’s what caused them some problems where they had to look into it and make some changes. The stairlift's a used one and it’s possible that it took them a little longer to straighten it out and make it work right. One little thing I would’ve done was that I could've removed the handrail on the one side and put it closer to the one side, instead of having it out as far as it is although that’s not their fault. That’s just something that occurred to me afterwards. But they did a nice job. The stairlift had very few noises and it operates very much like I expected. I was pleased with the installation. It does the job like it’s supposed to.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I would like to start out by saying, Our Salesperson, Michelle, was simply wonderful. Stannah Stairlifts should be proud of this employee as she represents your company in the highest standard. Her work ethic is top notch. Here is my experience. My mother is 85 years old, my father has passed and was a retired Boston Police Officer. I come from a family of 7 kids. My mother and father bought our house in West Roxbury, MA. in 1961. She has lived in this house and raised 7 children since 1961. Lots of memories in this house for a parent 85 years old. I know she loves this house. What started to happen this past year, is she really began to struggle getting up the stairs. We have 10 stairs that get you to the second floor. My mother was getting so winded by the 6 stair and by the time she got to the 10th stair she was totally exhausted.

I knew we needed to do something. I never saw her struggle that bad. I feared she would have a heart attack or injure herself. We either needed to sell the house, move her into assisted living or invest in the Chairlift. We started to look into the Chairlift as that's what my mother wanted us to do. I had Acorn come out to the house and I had Stannah come out to the house. Michelle was the salesperson that came out. She was simply wonderful. She went over everything. She explained everything in detail. You could see she believes in the product, which made me believe in the product. The more she presented everything, the more I realized Stannah has the best product. Stannah is far better than Acorn. Stannah has the better chair, the better safety features, the better warranty and the far better customer service.

I took a ride to their showroom and once I saw the chair in real life, that sealed the deal for me. I saw how sturdy it was, I saw how easy it is to operate but you can feel its good quality. I sat in the chair and used it on their makeshift staircases and it was simply wonderful. It was comfortable but yet sturdy and so easy to operate. I went home and told my mother, "We need to get this chair. You will not find a better chair than Stannah." We had it installed this past Tuesday and my mother loves it. We could not be happier. My mother could not be happier. She no longer has to struggle up 10 flights of stairs. We are up the stairs in no more than 15 seconds opposed to her walking the stairs, which took her 25 minutes to get up and down the stairs. This is worth every penny! She has far more energy now.

When she had to walk those stairs it drained all of her energy, she was just totally exhausted. What a turnaround, she has more energy and more color in her skin. Thank you Michelle for your hard work, for your believe in your product, for your wonderful presentation as I believe if it wasn't for you, I probably would never have bought this. This is the best investment in my mothers care. What a rewarding feeling you must get knowing you played a role in helping an elderly person stay in their home. I know my father is looking down from heaven smiling, knowing his wife can stay in the home that she has been in for over 50 years, And a home that she loves to be in.

Thank You Michelle! Thank You for your outstanding customer Service. Thank You Stannah for putting out a wonderful product. I believe Stannah Stairlifts is simply the best Chairlift out there. My mother loves it! Very happy we invested in this product. I believe my mother will be able to live in her house for many more years, because of this Chairlift. Highly Recommend. Also, wanted to give a shoutout to the installing, he was wonderful as well. Nancy **, West Roxbury, MA.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Nancy for your kind words! We are so glad to hear about your mother's turnaround. We love being able to help as many people as we can stay in their homes and communities for as long as possible and it was our pleasure to have been able to assist you and your mother.

The Stannah Team

Original review: July 18, 2019

I had compared Stannah with Acorn and thought that it was a better deal for the dollar to go with the Stannah even though it was a couple of dollars more expensive. The benefits of doing business with them were worth the difference in the price and the quality, and how it looked and operated. Their sales rep was very good and he explained everything well. When I decided that I was gonna go with them, I tagged along with him, watching how they do the measurements with the computer.

The only thing was, he said they were gonna have to put an electric wire to the charger so that the track will be able to charge at the top and the bottom and since they don’t drill holes, I would have to do it. So I asked where would I have to drill the hole, and he took me on the stair and pointed where to put it. That was right in the middle of the track, the total length of the track, and I said okay. He said that the wire would go into my closet and run out the other side of the closet. Another hole would have to be put there and the wire would be plugged in the utility room, so I drilled two holes.

However, when the fellows came to do the installation, they asked me why I was told to put a hole there and was told that was a stupid place to put the hole. The guy then said he would drill a hole for me and would put it down at the bottom and I won’t be able to see it. He also said that it would work much better than running it from the middle of the track. It should be on either one end or the other. I ended up with a hole in my woodwork that I didn’t need. Other than that, it all came out very well. The installers were great and they gave me a lot of pointers on how to use the stairlift.

We got a curved one that does a hairpin turn halfway down and it is of good quality. Everything on it is well thought out and well-planned. It is convenient for being able to spin around and to get in it safely. I like the idea of the foot platform coming down electronically. The Acorn didn’t have that. You had to manually lift or push up that footrest at the bottom of the chair. On this Stannah, you push a button and it just pops up and down. It works very well. Plus it’s great how the stairlift fits into our home. When I’ve got it folded up, it’s out of the way and there’s plenty of room for people to go up and down the stairs. I hadn’t gone up and down the stairs for quite some time because it was so difficult, but since I had the chair put in, I go up and down two or three times a day now to do things down there or get things.

And when we go food shopping, we bring our big grocery in through the garage and my wife loads it on the chair. I set up the top and bring the chair up remotely like a dumbwaiter, and it helps us carry the errands up and down the stairs that we had so much trouble doing before. We’re both 76 years old, so we don’t run up and down the stairs like we used to. We let the chair do some of the work and it works out very well. My wife likes that. I would definitely recommend Stannah. They were very good to do business with.

Stannah Stairlifts response
    Thanks Jim for your positive review. We're sorry there was a miscommunication during the sales process regarding the hole for routing your power plug.

Your feedback is very helpful in our efforts to continuously improve. Otherwise, we are glad your Stannah stairlift has made living at home easier and safer.

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 13, 2019

We have a summer place and my sister was having an issue going to the lower level where our washer and dryer is. We decided to purchase a stairlift and that time, I talked to someone who purchased from Stannah Stairlift 22 years ago. He couldn't have raved more about Stannah so I decided to buy one from them. I called and booked an appointment for someone to come out to measure and the person who came, Michelle, explained everything. I gave her a deposit of $3,300 because our stairwell has a curvature and the cost was gonna be 13,300. She said it’d take two or three weeks to get the stairlift.

Some time thereafter, two techs, Eric and Joe, and installed the stairlift. They were here for approximately two and a half hours and they realized there was a measuring issue that Michelle hadn’t taken into consideration. It was a ceiling that came over a banister, and when the chair would go up, your head would’ve hit it. So, they had to remove everything. Michelle returned to remeasure and said that normally, such mistakes don't happen.

Their installers came again to reinstall a new, custom-made stairlift. They were at my place approximately four hours but then one of the technicians had to leave because he had another assignment. Ryan, the remaining tech worked around the problem that they came upon that second time around. He made a few calls and talked to someone. He finally got the chair to move. He then went over everything and we paid him the balance.

After the chairlift had been installed for 18 days, the power went off on the arm thing that makes the chair move up and down the stairs. I called Stannah late in the afternoon on a Saturday and explained my issue to their rep LaTasha. She explained that their Monday was already booked and if their tech comes out on a weekend, a service charge had to be paid. We said we would pay whatever that charge was. She then said that we would be hearing from the tech shortly. Several hours later, we heard from Ryan once again. He said that he would be available that Sunday but also he couldn't promise that he would be the tech who would come out on that Monday. Ryan also said that he would call his boss to find out what I have to agree to before he would come and that he would tell me the amount I have to pay.

Ryan called back and I told him something about the stairlift being under warranty. He explained how the service I was requesting wasn't under the warranty. He said that usually, my item would be under warranty but then a service call on a Sunday wasn't covered. We've only had the stairlift for 18 days and we were delayed a full month because of Michelle measuring incorrectly and it didn't seem fair that we had to pay $225.

Ryan arrived around 2 o'clock, the time he was expected to. He said that it wasn't the same issue that arose when he installed. The most recent problem was a computer board that needed to be replaced whereas the initial problem was something under the seat. I asked Ryan whether the chair I had was used. He said it wasn't but then I thought that when they had to take the everything back, it was probably tossed around in the truck and something went out of whack. The chair I have is probably more fragile than I know. Still, Ryan got the chair running and it has been running since. It has been wonderful.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello Kathleen. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we really appreciate it. Honest feedback like yours helps us improve our service. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the incorrect measurement. Our team is aware of the issue and it should not happen again. Unfortunately, after hours service is not part of any warranty package we offer, perhaps as we grow our team and we have the resources for it, we can add it in the future. Otherwise we are glad the stairlift has been valuable to you and your sister.

The Stannah Team

Original review: May 11, 2019

I've had a stairlift for my wife for years when I was in New Hampshire. I had both of my knees replaced and I got to the point where I'm in a house with 12 steps going down to the basement and it got rough going up and down. I got the Stannah stairlift to make it much easier to get up and down those steps. I had quotes from Stannah's competitors and they were outrageous. When I found that I could get a used stairlift from Stannah with the warranty on it, I decided to go with them. My daughter and son-in-law said the same thing.

The salesman that I got the stairlift from was very professional and knowledgeable. He answered all my questions. I was also told when the installers would be here. Both of the installers were very nice, knowledgeable, and pleasant. They were here on time and they never wasted any of that time to install the stairlift. They were at it the whole time until the job was completely finished.

The only thing was when they installed the stairlift, they were going to give a wrench for the machine which, in case it stalls, I could crank it up. They showed me where it went and how to use it. But at the end, that never happened so I'm still waiting. I called the salesman that I bought the stairlift from and he said that he would be in contact with the installers for them to come back but I haven't heard from them since. It's been two months since we talked. I understand there's an inspection coming up in six months. Maybe they thought at that time that that's what would happen then. But I think the wrench was just an oversight that they just forgot about.

I had the curved stairlift installed. It's nice and quiet. I really enjoy it. My daughter and my son-in-law couldn't believe the way it goes down. It goes down to a certain point then makes it curve then goes down the rest of the way. It's a good product so I'm really pleased with it. The key thing that I really liked was how it completely fits in the narrow hallway. It takes up the whole space which is nice. It's just easy to get on and off the stairlift which I really enjoy. It fits right up to my basement door. The installers put a lock on it so that if by accident I got my leg in between the door and the stairlift, the door would open automatic. That was a good safety feature. It was one thing that I hadn't counted on and had not seen before. I would recommend Stannah to anybody that would like to see it and try it. I think they'd be well pleased with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: March 18, 2020

The customer service rep I dealt with was very nice, and the person who installed it was wonderful. I ride the chair to my bed upstairs. This way, I can get up and down. Overall, the chair is wonderful.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Our Stannah stairlift does exactly what it should do and it functions properly. It is everything we thought plus a whole lot more. Out of all the ones that I researched, I'm glad that we went with this route. We researched them online and read about the reviews that other people were doing. Then some of the prices were a lot less and you also got what you pay for. When you start spending $10,000, you don’t want a piece of crap that is going to crap out on you, or you do not want to have issues with people doing all kinds of service calls. It boils down to you get what you pay for. Stannah is like the Cadillac, if not Lamborghini, of stairlifts.

Penelope, the sales rep I dealt with, was awesome. They were spot-on. It came the day they said it would arrive. We got a pre-meeting about it when Penelope explained what was going to happen. The installation guys were great and personable. They did not screw around. They came in, banged it out, cleaned up, and were on their way. Five hours later, they were all done.

Original review: March 16, 2020

When I Google searched, Stannah Stairlifts came up. I chose to go with them for how it worked on the website. They were also local. Everything is working well with my Stannah stairlift. The installation went fine. And the installers showed everything.

Original review: March 15, 2020

My Stannah Stairlift has been really useful and helpful and it works well. Getting it was a good decision. It's too expensive, but the quality is good. However it sticks out a little bit. I wish there was a way to make it more compact when it's not in use.

Original review: March 14, 2020

Our Stannah stairlift rides smoothly. We're very satisfied with it.

Stannah Stairlifts questions and answers

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
    Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
    What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
    Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
    What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person centered approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
    How does your company measure success?
    Our Company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
    One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
    How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last 5 years?
    We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
    We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do, and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
    Has Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
    While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
    How has Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
    We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the Lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information