2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

4.8/5 (180 ratings)

About Stannah Stairlifts

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

Pros

• Economical options
    • Options for limited flexibility
    • Battery operated

Cons

• Warranty options vary by dealer

Bottom Line

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of their clients. The company's products have excellent features and come with two handheld remotes.

Top Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

My husband has MS and he's having a hard time climbing the stairs … The installers were very professional. They showed me how to use the stairlift and went over everything. We've ...

Verified

My 93-year-old mother-in-law moved in with me and she dreaded going up and down the stairs. Now, she just pops on her stairlift and up she goes. The Stannah stairlift has been perfect.

Information from Stannah on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stannah is committed to the safety of its customers and employees. The company is offering free quotes through phone or video appointments to help you get the information you need without an in-person evaluation.

If you have an immediate need for a stairlift, the company is doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe during the installation process. This includes following the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines, eliminating direct contact and utilizing protective gear to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Employees maintain a safe distance during the installation process and thoroughly wipe down your new stairlift after installation. The company has also transitioned into using digital documents over paper.

In addition to these guidelines, Stannah is ensuring any employee exposed to COVID-19 or who is showing symptoms or feeling unwell stays home and self-quarantines.

Stannah stair lift models

Stannah offers indoor and outdoor models for both straight and curved stairwells. This includes four stair lift models with differing style availabilities. You can buy Stannah stair lifts through a Stannah dealer. Stannah’s outdoor stair lifts come with a cover to protect against inclement weather.

• Stannah Starla: The Starla is Stannah’s most feature-heavy model. One such feature is the call button, which allows you to press a button and have the stair lift chair come to you. The call button lights up at night so you can see it easily. The seat on the Starla angles back slightly to help you feel more secure as you travel up and down the stairwell. The upholstery options look sharp - you can even choose a light or dark trim so your stair lift can match your home decor.
    • Stannah Siena: Stannah designed the Siena with space in mind. This compact model works best for narrow staircases and does a good job making use of the space available. The curved seat back helps keep riders comfortable. The armrests are slightly longer than ones in other models for added support, and the seat is also slightly wider. A retractable seatbelt fits intuitively into the arms of the chair. The Siena is compatible both with curved and straight staircases.
    • Stannah Sadler: The design of the Sadler model is for those with limited flexibility. The seat is ergonomically designed with adjustable height for comfort and non-slip for extra safety. It is a stand-up chair, so there isn’t as much weight on your back, hips and knees. The seat also produces gentle support beneath the cushion when you sit down and straightens your back by tilting up slightly when you stand up.
    • Stannah Scout: The Scout is Stannah’s economy model. Because it has a slim profile, it’s ideal for areas like basement stairs, and the anti-slip feature on the footrest is a nice safety feature. You can adjust the seat height as well. Safety sensors stop the lift if it detects an obstruction on the staircase.
    ModelBest forWeight capacityBest feature
    Stannah StarlaMost features350 lbs straight, 300 lbs curvedSeveral upholstery and rail options
    Stannah SienaNarrow stairs350 lbs max, but can varyWide seat
    Stannah SadlerLimited flexibility300 lbsErgonomic stand-up seat
    Stannah ScoutAffordable option300 lbsAnti-slip footrest

Stannah stair lift cost

You can expect a straight staircase Stannah stairlift to cost anywhere from $2,800 to $5,000. Curved staircase Stannah stairlifts are closer to $8,500 to $14,000. This is a high price to pay for some people, but financing options are available. It’s essential to keep in mind that a stair lift will be a costly investment no matter where it is purchased, and Stannah stair lift prices are comparable to chair lifts from other reputable companies. Stannah recommends stair lift rentals for those looking for a short-term solution, for example, 18 months or less.

Do we recommend Stannah Stairlifts?

Yes. Stannah stair lifts are a good option for those looking for a better mobility option in their home. They have a wide range of lifts that cater to all needs, whether you want a basic model, a model loaded with features or a model for those with extensive mobility issues. We feel confident recommending Stannah stair lifts for your home.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: June 7, 2021

My daughter found Stannah Stairlifts and I called and made an appointment. The fellow who came was absolutely very knowledgeable. He made me understand everything. He gave me all the different prices that we could have gone with with different types of the stairlift, how many steps or what I wanted to do. He was very informative. I chose the one that best fits my situation and my pocketbook. The man that came to install it was also really good. My son was here also, so they spent a lot of time together and the man was explaining everything to him. I watched. It was a lot to take it in in the beginning, but when we used it, it was really simple.

I love that it's so simple. When we had electric power out and the chair was beeping, I didn't know there was a switch in the back to shut the chair off. When my son came home, it was still beeping and he said there's a button in the back to stop it. That's only to let you know that the electric went out. So, that was a good feature on it. You save on the battery. You wouldn't know unless the electric went out, and it went out. But I thought that it's supposed beep. I didn't know it was drawing power from the battery to leave it on. Battery backup came on. So the chair tells you the battery backup is on with the beeping, but I didn't know to turn it off. My son shut it off right away. You have to press the button back on to use it, but it works in the power outage which is good to know. It did work.

I did recommend Stannah. Everyone's asking me about it. Everyone wants to come and take a ride. Now, I got other people with steps say, “Oh, gee, I would love to have that.” Now, as far as the price, I don't really understand because they're telling me they can't find one for the price I got this one at. The prices of the ones they looked at was much more. They can't get one for this price. I can't believe the price I got it. It's like having an elevator in the house that would have cost a fortune. I'm amazed that they invented this. I love it.

Overall, having the stairlift is marvelous because I'm 78 and I was literally crawling up the steps. My kids wanted my bedroom and everything brought downstairs. There's no room, and that saved my life because now I don't have to hear them anymore. I sit on the chair and up I go. I can keep my bedroom. The product is fantastic.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I checked online and asked people that had a stairlift. Most people picked another company, but I went with Stannah. There was something about them. They're five stars and all good reviews. When I called, I got a callback right away and we set up an appointment. The salesman who came called and told me he was 10 minutes out. He was a little early. I said, “No worries, I'm stuck in the house anyway.” When he came, he looked at the house and said it was going to be easy. He recommended things to us because we had to have electric put in before he came back. He was a very nice guy. When he left, he immediately emailed me and sent me a nice note.

With my brother's situation here in the home, if he gets any worse, I may have to sell the house, so then, I would want to sell the stairlift. Stannah is the only company that gave any type of a buyback, that they would come in and take it out for me for free. That's the only thing the salesman didn't give me. I wrote to him, and I said, “I didn't get that.” He immediately sent it right back to me. Everything they did, there was never this uneasy feeling. He gave me my extra week to get the electric in too.

With the salesperson who came, the installer came in wearing gloves, a mask, and booties, and worried about my house. I told him he didn't have to put those. He went above and beyond installing the stairlift perfectly. He also wanted to train my brother and he took the time to go up and meet him. He was terrific. The things that I worried about, like would my brother understand? The installer said, “Look, I'll get them to understand it. You don't worry because he'll do it.” My brother is mentally slow and didn't understand. The installer showed him again. It was an absolute pleasure.

The stairlift is streamlined and clean-looking. Even when the installer put the little bit of wire in, he put a nice, little white thing that matched the woodwork. He also put a thing on the doorstep so that if anybody was to come in, and the seat was there, it would stop the door. Things that I didn't even think about. The installer also showed me how the remote controls worked. If I wanted to hang it, he was gonna hang it for me. I didn't need him to do that, but he offered it.

I put a review out there and I rarely take time to do that. I don't think I've ever had such service, from beginning to end, as I did with Stannah Stairlifts. It’s absolutely A-class. I would recommend them to anyone. The chair itself, I love the way it turns. Everything pushes up. It's very easy to use and it was a very simple procedure for my brother to do. We've had the stairlift for weeks now. Thank God, I've had no problems with it. It cleans nicely. I'm 1,000% happy with everything.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you so much Pat for taking the time to share your Stannah Stairlifts experience with us! We're so glad you love your stairlift and your brother is getting up and down the stairs much easier now.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Our stairlift from Stannah is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's moving my wife from point A to point B and back again. I went on the internet, and I wasn't even sure because we were looking for something temporary. And I wasn't sure if there was such an animal, and we'd find out at least with Stannah, you can rent a staircase for a minimum of six months, which we did. We were happy with that. In fact, yesterday, for the first time, just to play it on the safe side, I shut the power off in fear of maybe during the night, we might lose power, and I didn't want to drain the battery. But we did not. I turned the switch on in the morning and my wife’s been using it with no problems at all.

The rep was very helpful on the phone. He was giving me the information. Then, we had someone come down who was part of the sales, and he gave me the price and all the particulars. He did an excellent job. Then two young fellas came on November 2nd and installed it. They were excellent. They were neat and knowledgeable. I couldn't have asked for better people to come. One was relatively new and one had a few years under his belt who is kind of like the supervisor. But they worked hand in hand. They did it within four to five hours and took me through the motions. We’re right now still in the process, using it daily. We're hoping that my wife won't have to. She's not really a true invalid. She just had some blood clots and they didn't want her to use the stairs.

We're going to play it by ear now. Come the end of six months, do we buy it and just have it stored away, or do we return it? That is kind of up in the air with us at this point. While it’s being rented, we're under warranty. Should I purchase it, I lose the first six months of the warranty because I had it during the rental. I know all that upfront and what it would cost on an annual basis if we were to keep it installed for both warranty on parts and labor. In fact, when my wife was in rehab, the rehab people were giving her some company. When she told them that we're renting it for six months, apparently, they were interested, and we gave them Stannah's name and phone number.

I use the product once or twice when I'm really lazy. But when I go to bed, I let my wife go up first. The way it's set, to get my body through without making a tumble down the stairs, I have to flip up the foot pad, and swivel the chair the other way, lift the arms up so that it gives me a little bit more room just to go up the last few steps up the top of the stairs. Downstairs, there's no problem, because coming down, I use that foot as the last step, and that's not a problem. But I don't think there's anything that could be done to make it any better. In the morning, when I get up, I pass the stair, and then I swing everything back into position, set the foot pad down, and just proceed down the stairs and wait for my wife to get up. She then just sits in it, swings and hits the button, and she comes down with no trouble.

I would give the product's quality a triple-A. I found out that the manufacturers are over in England, and it's a well-built thing. We haven't had a glitch at all with it. We haven’t called for service. We’re very pleased with it. The only thing was I was quoted $1,500 for the rental, and when the person who came took his tape measure on, he realized that they had to go an extra rail. So, it was 1,600. But it was no big deal. That wasn't even a glitch. When I described over the phone how many steps I had, I was quoted 1,500. But when the salesman physically came down and he saw it, they knew that they had to piece an additional rail to make the 15 steps with just a straight run. Stannah is a good product.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

My husband has not been outside the house for over a year because he couldn't get down the steps. He was a prisoner in our own home. We even had to cancel all the doctor appointments. Then COVID hit. I looked on the internet to try to find someone that could come to meet our needs. We had another company before that gave us an estimate for the stairlift, but we didn't follow through with it because it was very expensive, although we needed to have it done. Stannah Stairlifts is still very expensive. They came out and so far, have been meeting our needs. He's able to go to the doctors’ offices now. Although with COVID, there really isn't any place to go, but at least I can get him into the chair and down the steps, then transfer him from the stairlift into the wheelchair to get him to the vehicle, so that we can at least go for a ride and get some fresh air.

The salesman was very nice, informative, and he was all masked up for COVID. He didn't pressure us to purchase anything. We made the decision, and we called and said we were going forth with it. He said because it was a custom order ‘cause it has to wrap around the wall, it took about four and a half weeks. The gentlemen who installed it were very pleasant and they did everything. When they were done, the guy said something to me about putting a spring on the door ‘cause it wrapped around right where the front door is. I didn't know what he was talking about.

About a week afterwards, I realized that the rail was impeding opening the door all the way, which could be a fire hazard. In an emergency where we would need to evacuate, we would need to get that door to open all the way. I called Stannah and the salesman came out to look at it. Then, they sent out an individual a week later. Unfortunately, he came out by himself and he said that he was not comfortable doing it alone. He would have someone help him, so we set up another appointment. A week later, two guys came out and put a spring on the door. Now, the door opens all the way and it's been working fine.

We had an issue over the weekend. Our electricity kept popping. I went downstairs to check the circuits and when I was sitting downstairs after I flipped the switch, I saw this white flash and I thought it was coming from the stairlift itself. I got nervous, so I called Stannah on a Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. A gentleman called me back. He said he was concerned and that he would come out as it sounded like a safety issue. We are in Enfield, Connecticut it's an hour and 10 minutes or so drive for him on that day. He came and I showed him what I was talking about. As soon as I popped the switch, he realized that it was not the stairlift.

We had an electrical box on the ceiling and the white flashes were coming from that because he saw that metal was touching the wire box. He was not an electrician, but he didn't want to leave us in a risky situation. He turned the power off and moved the wire. He told us that we could leave the power off until we get an electrician, and we needed to get one sooner than later. He didn't charge us for that visit, which was fantastic. He left and I proceeded to call electricians, and I got it fixed this morning. So, the experience with the Stannah personnel overall has been wonderful. Everyone is very professional, polite, and respectful.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Susan for sharing your Stannah Stairlifts experience. We are happy to have been able to help you.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

My wife is disabled and she can't climb stairs. I have three stairlifts. One is outside, one goes from the first floor down into the sunken living room, and another goes from the first floor to the second floor. They've been wonderful and the cost is reasonable. But for some reason, I cannot find the two controls that control the outside stairlift.

The outdoor stairlift is straight. It's only about five or six stairs. The inside one from the first floor down into the living room is three stairs. And the one going upstairs is a double-curve. It curves around from the kitchen to the stairwell, up the stairs and around to a loft. The original installation of that one was a disaster because it was designed wrong and it wouldn't go around the corner. They installed it, tried it, and took it right back out. It took a month for them to get it remade properly. But it works now. I kinda designed things that way so the stairlifts do not get in the way. The only problem is the outside one that’s on the upper end is too high so my wife has a hard time getting into it. The seat is maybe two inches too high. What we have to do is not bring it up all the way then place her into it. It's because she's too short.

Regarding the stairlifts, I thought my grandchildren would have a lot more fun with them if I don’t. I would recommend Stannah to friends but I would also tell them about the problem that I had with the one stairlift that was designed wrong. But the stairlift came just in time for my wife to come home from the rehab. It was touch-and-go there. Another thing is that the reps didn’t tell me how not to lose the remote controls.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Joe for your feedback! We apologize for the inconvenience of having to wait for another stairlift, and are glad to have been able to correct your installation. In speaking with our service department, we have scheduled your seat adjustment. You may be glad to hear, you did not lose the outdoor remotes. Stannah outdoor stairlifts do not come with remotes as they have stationary posts from which you can call the lift. If you are in need of any other assistance please don't hesitate to call our service department at: 1-888-272-4327.

The Stannah Team

Original review: July 20, 2021

The sales rep from Stannah was fantastic and the installation was great. The installers finished in a couple of hours.

Original review: July 19, 2021

The sales rep gave a good explanation and answered all questions I needed to know. Overall, it was a professional and excellent experience with Stannah.

Original review: July 18, 2021

The stairlift is wonderful and I love it. My husband said it was a good thing that I put it in when he was still in rehab. He likes to feel he could still do the stairs, but he uses it 90% of the time.

Original review: July 17, 2021

Stannah's rep answered all my questions. The installers did everything well. They told me how long it was going to take and hit it right on the nose. The stairlift works great. The seat folds up. Not everybody here uses it. So, when anybody else is going up the steps, it gets out of the way. It fits perfectly in the stairwell.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Stannah is good except I was supposed to get an automatic swivel, which I was charged for and I did not receive it. The sales rep lied because he's telling me that he did not say that I was getting the reversible rail and the automatic swivel, but he did. The installation went very well though. The installers were very good.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello Ilona, our records indicate you were not charged for a power swivel. We apologize if there was a misunderstanding. If you need one you can call our service team to upgrade at an additional cost. Otherwise, we're glad your installation went well.

Stannah Stairlifts FAQ

We spoke to Martin Stevenson, head of U.S. marketing for Stannah Stairlifts, to ask him more about the company and its products.

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
      Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
      What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
      Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
      What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
      Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person-centric approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
      How does your company measure success?
      Our company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
      One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
      How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last five years?
      We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
      We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry, and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end-user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
      Have Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
      While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
      How have Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
      We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information