Call toll free
(844) 602-1938
4.80/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

461 Stannah Stairlifts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had a stroke and Stannah came up when I went online for a stairlift provider. The sales visit has been an all positive experience. I got a straight stairlift and it fits very well into my home. The overall quality is very nice too. Having the stairlift gives me so much freedom and it’s very safe. I have a very positive experience with Stannah.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We needed a stairlift as someone in our house has been having difficulty going up and down the stairs. Stannah offered a good price for the product they had and I felt confident that they would fit the stairlift within the timeframe that they promised. The rep whom I spoke with was very informative and forthcoming. She was available for any additional questions and I felt comfortable relying on the answers she gave.

I purchased curved indoor and straight outdoor stairlifts from the company. Thereafter, their installers came exactly when promised and did the work very quickly. They cleaned after themselves perfectly too and explained what I needed to know. Since getting the stairlifts, I've found that they are as compact as they could go. We needed it to fit the inner curve of our staircase so we kept the width very tight. It works smoothly and it fits our needs. I definitely recommend Stannah Stairlifts.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The people at Stannah are very responsive. When I called, people answered and responded and telephoned. In addition, one of the other companies that have visited us said that they could not put the rail along the wall. They'd have to do it along the banister, and that it would have to be curved at the end, which was something that was off-putting to us. When Stannah said that was not the case, it was very important to us.

The sales rep was very good, forthright, and came when he said he would. The things that he told us were accurate. Also, the installation people were polite and did the job in an expeditious way. So far, my experience with Stannah is excellent and the stairlift is easy to use. Although, if I could eliminate some of that beeping when it goes up and down, I'd like to do that. It's a safety function and it's not necessary. Overall though, the stairlift is a quality product, and I don’t anticipate any problems.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My mother-in-law moved in with us and she has got a mobility problem, so we looked into buying a stairlift so she can go from the first to the second floor. I saw a lot of Stannah advertisements and we read about it with the book they sent us. They had a representative come out and it sounded like what we wanted. During the sales visit, the guy was very knowledgeable and had the answers to all our questions. He showed us exactly how it worked and the finances. When he left, we didn’t have a single question other than deciding if this was what we wanted.

We got a curved stairlift and it fits perfectly into our home. We can still have access to the stairs if she’s riding it. It is not in the way at all. Our stairs are wide enough and we can come and go. The installation team explained everything that they were doing, test drove it and it stayed well. She rode it up and down. The quality is very good and if somebody was looking for it and needed it for a similar reason we needed it for, I would highly recommend it.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My daughter's house has quite a long staircase and I can't do stairs. I happened to be looking through the Globe one morning and I saw Stannah Stairlifts had a big ad, so I called. I was hoping to have it installed September 1st, but the contractors took two months to finish what they were supposed to do and I didn't get the chair until the end of October. Their sales reps were great though. I had to have them come back a few times to show me how to use it and they had no problems doing that. I just got to know the stairlift well and now, I go up and down. The stairlift is straight and then it curves on the top of the stairway. It fits in perfectly. Although the cost was a little high, it was worth it. It works great and I'm very pleased.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I had chosen a company out of Denver but they didn't have a showroom nearby, so I went with Stannah. The sales visit was very good. They explained what they were about and the background on their company. It was good enough for me. Then, one gentleman came out for the installation and he was perfect. The stairlift fits fine into the stairway. I got it for my elderly father and the Stannah stairlift is convenient for him. He's getting up in years, so it's very good for him health-wise and energy-wise.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have problems with my back and legs so I sought a stairlift. I liked what the reps from Stannah had to say. They were very informative and nice. I purchased a straight stairway from them which fits fine in my stairwell. Their installation team showed me how to use it. However, the half seat doesn't want to stay half folded. Still, since getting the Stannah stairlift, going upstairs has been much easier.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Stannah is absolutely reliable and I had a very good experience with them. My husband has Parkinson's disease and he can't get up and down the stairs. We needed a stairlift and somebody gave us their old Stannah stairlift. All I needed to do was get it put in. The Stannah rep came in and I had a wonderful impression on him. He measured the stairlift, checked it, told me exactly that it's in perfect shape and that it couldn't be changed facing the other side and then all I would need are batteries and a longer track. The installation went beautifully and the quality of the stairlift is excellent. I like that my husband can now get up and down the stairs.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I have aortic stenosis which is a narrowing of the heart valve that causes shortness of breath. So, after walking up six or seven stairs, I could feel it. I have a landing at the ninth stair but I decided to follow my father's advice years ago. He said there's a time to save and a time to spend. I celebrated my 90th birthday on October 17th and the Stannah stairlift was a present I gave to myself. Helga, a very long-time friend of mine who lives in Newton Centre had Stannah do her stairlift a number of years ago. Her mobility problems are much more serious than mine but I could see how her quality of life improved. She was very complimentary and very happy to hear that I followed through. Stannah is a company that has been around a long time and they’re doing something right if they lasted this long.

A technician came for the installation and he was very knowledgeable and congenial which was a good combination. He had it up very quickly. It was a first-rate procedure and I am definitely pleased. Especially since most men and women my age have short-term memory loss which is why my wallet and my house keys have been in the same place every day. Before the stairlift, if I forget something, I gotta climb upstairs and I would try to avoid climbing up but now, I'm like a little boy with a new toy. When my twin grandchildren came over, the first thing they wanted to do was ride up on the lift. The stairlift goes straight to nine steps and then there's a landing and it takes a very sharp left turn. I get off them and I walk up the final four steps. That has not been a problem but me and my younger son would like to know what the charge would be to extend it all the way.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I get breathless climbing stairs and I'm never quite sure if my legs and feet are gonna function properly so I needed a stairlift for myself. Two of the providers were in my neighborhood and then, the rep from Stannah came out to my house. She told me to read the reviews of Acorn which I did and I also read Stannah’s reviews. Even though it was twice as much money, I decided to go with Stannah. The installation went very smoothly. Two guys seemed intent on getting it perfect and making sure everything was correct all the way around. It fits perfectly in my home and the quality is good.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

My father is a World War II veteran and 91 years old. But Stannah didn’t give any discounts for veterans or senior citizens. I was a little taken back by that. And they were very expensive. Two years ago, Acorn had given me an estimate for $3,000 and that was for a brand-new unit. But we needed the stairlift and Stannah was a reputable place. They were all very nice and wonderful too. The salesperson came and told me how it works. I also went for a trial run and the lady at the office was very nice. We decided to purchase the new unit and the installation took five and a half hours. The installers certainly knew what they were doing and they did a beautiful job. It was neat and clean. They also didn’t leave until I understood how everything worked. And they said if I had any questions or especially when my father got home and wanted another demonstration, to call the salesperson.

There was one thing that the salesman didn’t bring to my attention though. They tell you how to swivel the chair and that’s all well and good when you’re healthy and you’re able to get up and down. But when you’re at a certain age and you’re using a walker or a cane to begin with, swiveling the chair is one thing. Getting up and then hanging on to something is another thing. My father is 91 and he just broke his hip. He uses a walker to begin with. It’s not easy for him to get up from that chair and just go. He has to hang on to something and I didn’t realize that myself when we were talking about it with the salesman. I might have to put a safety bar alongside the wall for him to grab on to when he lifts himself up. That's my concern but that's something we'll have to deal with and that aside, everything went well.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

My wife fell and broke her hip and it was hard for her to walk, so we purchased a stairlift. We liked our previous Stannah stairlift a lot and we went with them again. I called Stannah and talked to somebody who came out, looked at our stairs, and made a proposal. We got the straight model. I really appreciated the salesperson who was very informative and told me about the warranty. He told me about the post-sale services, which I may have to take advantage of. So, I was really very pleased with the whole sales process.

The sales visit and the process leading up to the installation was very easy. The reps that I spoke with were very professional and it was great dealing with them. The installation took half a day and didn't take long. The guy that put the stairlift in was very straightforward, professional and good. My wife likes the stairlift greatly. She used it yesterday and it worked fine. It's definitely worth the money and I'm happy with it. We're very happy with our overall experience with Stannah.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have a very bad arthritis and had an accident. I’ve been in pain, and when I wanted to go out to go to the doctor and whatever I was asked to do, I couldn’t go down the stairs. I would also look and get dizzy. I felt like I was in prison. I saw Acorn on TV and it doesn't look too clumsy. When I told my husband about it, he went down on the internet and he said that they have bad ratings. He also said that people did not have nice things to say about them so we should forget about Acorn. He then kept looking until we found Stannah. At the same time, I kept saying that we have to do it. He was dragging me out of the front door on concrete and I wasn't ready. He knocked us both down. That moment we knew we had to eventually get a stairlift.

My husband tried Stannah and the salesman we worked with was very nice. I related to him. He explained everything, like what it was gonna do and that the installer was gonna come and stay here until I was ready to use it. The installer did stay because it was kinda scary. I was on the stairs, I was in a lot of pain, and I could also very easily break my neck. So, he stayed until I felt comfortable getting in and out. He kept repeating it.

So far, I'm perfectly happy with the stairlift. You could also send your groceries up using it. I used to drag up the groceries from the level downstairs and it was heavy dragging just the milk alone. Now, I could just put everything on the chair. The stairlift is kinda clumsy though, but we send it downstairs so it’s less in people’s way. I would recommend Stannah to anybody. It is giving me the freedom to get the hell out of the house. And both the gentleman who sold it to us and the gentleman that installed it were delightful people. They did a very good job.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Stannah was fantastic. I couldn't be any happier with them. The other one was Acorn. I inquired online and they harassed the hell out of me. They were calling me 50 million times a day, not leaving messages and leaving messages. It annoyed so much that I decided not to go through with them. On the other hand, when I contacted Stannah, they were out within a week and had everything done. They did a fantastic job installing, explaining and following up with us.

I have two little ankle-biter puppies so I kept them locked in my room with me while the technician was installing the stairlift. It was as quiet as it could have possibly been and it was done in a timely manner. I expected an all-day affair but it was done relatively quickly. The technician also explained to more than one of us how to move with care. He answered the questions we had and gave us a little magnet thing for the fridge in case we have a problem, which we did. We couldn't figure out something and when we called them, they answered the question and it was fixed right away. It was great. A wider staircase would have been better for me because when the stairlift stops at the top, there's not a lot of leeway there for anybody who is trying to go by. But the stairlift itself is fantastic. I don't have any complaints about quality or durability so far.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I had a good experience with Stannah Stairlifts and the person I dealt with was good. The stairlift we got from them was for my husband and myself. The reps were fine and knew everything about the stairlift. We had a lovely experience with them. The installation team was very good. But I had to call the dealer that we purchased the stairlift from and they were very good on the service call. They answered our question and were able to help us over the telephone, and we got the stairlift to function again, although it had not stopped working. But now, they may have to come over because I'll discuss it with them. We are going to call them to take care of something that we think is the matter with the stairlift.

Other than that, the stairlift is doing its job exactly as we had wanted. Right now, we're very pleased at not having to step down steps and having our knees scream at us for help. Our Stannah stairlift is wonderful and it's adding a few years to our life. I would recommend it. We're telling our friends how happy we are and glad that we got the stairlift after our sons had tried to get us to do it for three years. They were insisting on it, so we gave in and it worked out well.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The Stannah stairlift looked like a nice piece of equipment and I needed it for my husband. He was coming home from the hospital and the salesperson got me an earlier appointment. He did everything he could and was excellent. The installation was a four-hour commitment and the team was excellent. We have a straight rail and everything worked out fine with the stairlift. The people we dealt with at Stannah were very nice and I was very happy. The product is also a very good system and we enjoy it. It's convenient. If we didn’t have that, my husband couldn’t walk up the stairs. I’m really satisfied with it.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

My husband is ill so we got a stairlift. I researched a little online and Stannah was the first stairlift provider that caught my eye. The sales rep was really good and he explained that we could rent the stairlift as opposed to buying it if we thought it would be short-term use. That made sense to us because my husband has terminal cancer, so that's what we did. Stannah told us ahead of time how long the installation would take. They also told us what we needed to set it up as far as the electrical and that they could provide that if we didn't have it. Then a young man came one day and put the stairlift in. He was clean and fast, and he explained how to use it.

The quality of our stairlift is really good and I definitely recommend it. It's much more than I expected. It's nice that it's so portable that we can put the arms up because it's on the stairway and I walk up and down the stairs, so even if he's on a different floor I can still use the stairs without it being a hassle. In addition, the cost was fair and the service was great.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

The representative I dealt with on the sales visit wasn’t very knowledgeable about the chairlift and he was puzzled much. But I liked the salesman and Stannah's rating on the internet. I purchased a straight stairlift and it fits fine into our home. I would recommend this chairlift.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Considering our age and looking at the price wasn’t gonna go down, we decided we might as well get a stairlift right then. We were planning ahead and I went out and got estimates. Stannah had a very solid product and gave me the better value for my money. I was also fortunate in that I happen to know somebody who had this brand so I could actually go there and see it. The person that I dealt with at Stannah was also very specific about the product and the process of installation. So we had a very good idea of what we were getting before we got it.

The installers were very helpful in explaining what they were doing and why they were doing it. The end product of the installation is somewhat intrusive just by the nature of it. But they made it as unintrusive as they could in the way the track is installed. Plus if we have guests, we can send the stairlift by remote up to the top. So the chair itself is not taking up space. Stannah was expensive and the price could have been cheaper. But we’re happy with it all the way around. At this point, we feel that it’s a very solid piece of machinery. In fact, I have recommended Stannah to others. They were very good and they did exactly what they said they could do.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Stannah Stairlifts has been in business for a long time and they were very prompt about getting me a quotation. It was very interesting though because one of the things that I was not happy about and I considered a black mark against them was they did not have anybody local in my area. But I found out in my checking around that there are a few fly-by-night operations that are guys who must be working out of their garage. The stairlift is a kind of a device that you don’t want a company or an installer that’s not doing it so often. It turned out that a friend of mine has an Acorn at his house in Queens and has been having a hard time getting somebody to service it.

One of the companies that I considered came very promptly and did whatever they do, but it took them eight days to get me a quote. I was in business long enough that I could smell the problems between the lines. However, Stannah was very prompt in calling back. There was also a person answering the phone, not an answering machine, and I got the quotation immediately after they arrived. They were prompt in all the areas. Their guy showed up early for the look-see and showed up early for the installation. You can’t go wrong with those.

We had a straight stairlift installed and we have a wide enough staircase that, with this chair and everything down, we can still walk by it. The only thing that I don’t care for so much is the vinyl seat covering. It has come off twice. It was not very well-designed and it would be nice if that was improved in some way. The color fits right in because our colors happen to be close to the unit’s color. The installer did a very nice job installing the stairlift and did a very thorough coverage of the things to look out for, and I was pleased. I was interested that the unit had a rack-and-pinion drive instead of a worm drive, but since it has a sectional track, it makes slightly different noises at different sections of the track. There is something not perfectly aligned, but it seems to be running fine. It has gone up and down at least 20 times.

The Stannah stairlift has allowed my wife to go back upstairs again. We have a master suite upstairs and for a while, she was unable to do the stairs and we had moved into our guest room down below. She wanted to get back upstairs and the stairlift has allowed us to stay in our home. I have not needed a service call and that’s the only place where I had questions since they don’t have a local office, but since the fellow who came to do the measuring and the fellow who did the install were early, it gave me a bit of good feeling about them showing up if I have a service issue. The other issue for me is we have power outages much more regularly than anywhere else and the battery thing isn’t a good piece of the design of the unit. Still, Stannah has been doing the chairlifts longer than anybody else and they’re pretty together. I thought Stannah was the best and, so far, I have not been disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We have had a Stannah stairlift for about 18 years. Towards the end, we had a few issues but we had no complaints with it at all. We ordered a new one about three months ago. We didn't even look elsewhere because we loved our other one. We took a unit out on a six-month rental and then we were gonna buy it after the six months. The man who came and sold it to us was very nice. They were very cooperative and everything was wonderful.

However, this unit is absolutely nothing like the other one I had! First of all, the stairlift is made with what appears to be rinky-dinky plastic. The seat before was somewhat cushioned but with this one, there's no cushioning at all. Fat people are not the only ones that use these. A lot of these things are used by people with diseases. My husband has multiple sclerosis and if you have a neurological disease, most of the time, your body starts breaking down after a while. My husband can't sit on this thing that's as hard as a rock. What they call a cushion is not even for a baby. Never mind somebody who doesn't have any meat on their behind anymore. We had a home health aide here last week and he wanted to take my husband upstairs for a shower. But my husband said he would rather be washed up because he can't sit on that seat.

Number two, Stannah has also shortened the part that you rest your foot on. Before, you were almost at a 90-degree angle when you sat on the chair. Now, you almost have to tuck your feet under. If you're paralyzed, things like that are very difficult. Number three, the seat before was a nice, heavy-duty seat. When you put it up and you weren't using the stair glider, it stayed up. This thing here keeps falling down. These are major issues. What I'm complaining about is the overall comfort and configuration of the chair for a handicapped person. The motor might be good but the concept of it is nowhere near what it used to be. The other one that I had was comfortable. It was well-made and it didn't have all this plastic. For people who are handicapped, it's useless. This one is definitely made much cheaper and yet, it's $1000 more than it was. I definitely would not buy them first off, not for the comfort.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

We were having trouble getting up and down the stairs, so we decided to purchase a stairlift. Stannah Stairlifts is located close to us and they seemed to have the right thing. We bought a straight stairlift from them and had this installed from the first floor to the second floor. Our experience with the installation was fine. The quality of the stairlift is okay and we like the folding rail. Since having the Stannah stairlift, it's now easier to get up and down the stairs.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Stannah was pricier than the first ones that I had chosen but I went by the reports that I have read about other companies. We were purchasing the stairlift for my elderly mother-in-law. It was a three-story condo and the reps were very helpful in deciding what type to get. They were very professional too. The installers were very quick and once again, very helpful. They answered all our questions and were very clean. We got the curved stairlift and my mother-in-law loves that it goes off all three floors really quickly. It also looks very sturdy compared to the other models that I had looked at with the other company. The craftsmanship on this one really looked like it was a good quality. I would definitely recommend Stannah.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My mother-in-law has moved in with us and we sensed a stairlift was gonna be needed. I looked at Stannah's website and saw what they offered. The salesman did a great job. He came to the house, spent about an hour with us, and went over a lot of information with us. He was really good with my mother-in-law and myself. He measured some stuff ahead of time and said what the issues we might need to address if we decide to go with Stannah. He said we have to have an outlet put in over at a certain area and I said that there’s an outlet on one side of the stairwell. So he said the installers would figure it out and tuck it away.

He also took the time to go over everything with us and let us asked every question no matter what it was about. He was so funny too and I really liked him. But we didn’t seal the deal until I took my mother-in-law to the office in Franklin, to have her sit at the chair, look at them so she would have an idea what we were getting into. We lived in the next town over Franklin, MA which comes in handy in case something goes wrong.

I was present only when the installers first came and then I had to leave. But my mother-in-law said that they were great and in the short period of time that I had with them, I explained where the battery was gonna go. They said that they would make it all nice and seamless. They put cover on the wire and did a fantastic job. I’m very pleased with the installation. They were also very nice and receptive. One even said that they might have to drill against the rug and might pull it.

We tested the stairlift a couple of times once it was installed while they were here. When my husband rode it, it stopped at the top and something had shorted out. So while the guys were here, they fixed it right away and since then, we had no issues. We got a curved stairlift and so far, I’m very pleased with it. My mother-in-law has her own space in the basement wherein she has everything like a full bath and a kitchen. So the stairlift was for a basement stairway which is a bit narrower than a typical stairway with just so many steps, then a landing, and then three more steps. The remote is a nice feature at the top and bottom of the stairs. When the chair is curled, wrapped around, out of the way, everybody could come in and out. However, we wouldn't be able to move furniture in and out that way. We have to go up to the bulkhead.

In general, it has worked great and seems very durable. Even the physical therapist who comes to help my mother-in-law was totally impressed with it. And she sees quite a few ‘cause she has a clientele of the older group as well. The stairlift costs $11,400 which is pretty expensive, but if it does the job and the quality stays as good as it has been so far, I see it as a good investment.

We actually had to start using it a lot sooner than we thought so the timing was pretty good. The stairlift had a positive impact on my mother-in-law because she had a couple of weeks wherein she had serious knee pain and getting up and down the stairs was tough. And there was one point where she actually couldn’t even walk to the chairlift. We had to carry her to it. So in that extreme situation, it was a Godsend that we had it. It has also alleviated her work to get up the stairs, therefore making her probably more like, “Okay. Yeah, we can go ‘cause I have that to get me up to the main level.”

I’ve recommended Stannah Stairlifts to another person who told me some very surprising things from another top-selling chairlift company. They came to her house to give her an assessment and a quote. She told me some information that the other chairlift company told her and I was in shock. They didn’t mention to her about a battery pack, which they offer, and said that if she loses power, she should look in to getting a generator. I said that the stairlifts run on batteries. I also said, “You leave the chair on. It charges all the time. If you lose power, you’ll have multiple trips up and down the stairs. The battery lasts plenty of times for that.” So I said she has to go with Stannah because they'd come out and explain everything to her and have every answer for her questions and she could buzz over to the next town over 'cause she was in a town also very close to Franklin

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My sister-in-law was coming to stay with us for an extended period of time and she can’t walk up and down the stairs. I called a couple of different places and Stannah's rep who came out here sold me on their company. He discussed the fact that they were the only manufacturer in the industry that manufactures as well as install the products. He took his time and he was very thorough and he explained everything. Also, the price was right.

Then, the installers came and they were awesome. They demonstrated how to operate it. We had a curved custom stairlift installed and it's huge. The rails look like something from a rollercoaster in an amusement park, but it works just fine. Where my sister lives, she gets off of the chair on the landing and switches to a different chair on the stairlift but she doesn't have to that with Stannah's and she really likes that. She also likes the automatic footrest, which the other one does not have. I would recommend Stannah to anybody that needs a stairlift.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I just had knee surgery and I needed a stairlift. My wife is beginning to need it too. We had two stairlift companies in mind, but Stannah Stairlifts had the best reputation. Their sales rep was very nice and very helpful and he answered my questions. I had a very good experience with him. We had a straight stairlift installed and it gets me and my wife upstairs and down. The installer was also very nice. He knew what he was doing and was very efficient. We only had one little service call since then. These things are not inexpensive but I am getting what I paid for. It does what it is supposed to do and it is gonna help our quality of life. I would recommend Stannah.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

My disabled husband was having a hard time walking up the stairs so we purchased a Stannah stairlift. Their salespeople came out and they were very good. They explained things to us and were very well informed about the product. They have good manners and were not too pushy. The installers came when they said they were going to come. They were also very neat about the job. They brought all the package materials out of the house when they left. It was excellent. We have them installed a curved stairlift and it fits a little tight in our home. But it’s an old house so the stairs are not wide and the Stannah people explained that to us when they came in and measured.

I like the utility of the stairlift. It’s doing exactly what they told us it would be. We’ve only had it for a short while but we haven’t had any problems with the use of it. It’s very easy to use and the mechanics of it, for what we have to use, are very simple. It was expensive, and I know that there are other systems that are cheaper. But Stannah had good reviews. We wanted it to be useful and not have to worry about it. I could recommend Stannah.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My wife was having difficulty getting up the stairs so we got the stairlift from Stannah. I’ve done business with them previously and was well satisfied. During the sales visit, the individual was experienced and familiar with the equipment that was available, knew exactly what measurements to take and did this efficiently. The installation team did a good job and did it quickly. I like that Stannah stairlift facilitates my wife in getting up and down the stairs by herself without having to have manual assistance. It has made her somewhat more independent, and that leaves me free to do other things like cutting the grass.

10 days ago, I gave a call to the salesperson and pointed out to him that there were a couple of minor defects that were not significant but it was something that they should know about so that they could correct it and they wouldn’t have people being bothered by it in the future. The pad on the seat had poor stitching and did not have any way to be secured to the structure of the seat itself, something that could be easily solved with a couple of Velcro attachments. He indicated to me that he would get back to somebody in the company and that I would hear from them. That was quite a while ago and I have not heard from them. Other than that, I would give Stannah a good recommendation. However, if someone says that they like the competitor better, I would not argue with them about that.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

A stairlift was a necessity for my elderly parent. After I called the Stannah national number, I got a call from a local rep and we discussed the situation. Then she came over, examined everything, laid out the options, and gave me pricing. She also followed up with me while I looked at the competitor and decided to go with Stannah. Then she called me multiple times to confirm installation. They were more informed and had better service. The quality of the straight stairlift is very good and I like the battery back-up. However, it doesn't leave a lot of room left for other things. It would be a little tight if you had to carry groceries or stuff and you couldn't walk down alongside it.

My parent passed away and never got a chance to use the Stannah Stairlift. The rep coordinated with me when I had it removed. But when I went to see if there was a way for me to get a credit, the rebate policy was absolutely horrendous. I spent about $7,500, and it was never used not even a month later. But I was only able to get 30% of my money back. I would highly recommend Stannah Stairlift to people whose parents were generally healthy and might be around to use it for a year. But if they were in a situation where they weren't sure, I probably wouldn’t do it.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have sciatica and I can’t climb stairs right now, so we decided to purchase a stairlift. We also chose it as an investment. We had installed it in what is gonna be an apartment for my wife next to the house, so we want it for the long term and that’s why we chose an expensive one. When the salesperson talked to me and explained the advantages of Stannah, I was persuaded. She was a good salesperson. She persuaded us that the other options were less expensive but less well-made and that Stannah was custom-made for the setting and, therefore, was a better long-term investment.

Our stairlift is indoor and it’s curved. It goes up three flights and curves around two of them. Since the installation, the stairlift has been working fine and I like its reliability. I can tell it’s well-built and well-engineered. I also expect it to be trouble-free for a very long time. It was a nice solution to a problem. I like things done well and this has been done well. Also because of the fact that it’s custom-built to fit a stairway, we know it’s the way it should be.

Stannah Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Stannah is a stairlift designer and manufacturer founded in 1867. The family-owned company aims to help people stay as independent as possible by providing their customers with high-quality and customizable stairlifts. It also provides safety testing and installation.

• Focus on safety: The stairlifts are tested for safety at various points in the design and manufacturing process.

• Installation: Stannah installers deliver and install stairs in a professional and attentive manner. They test the lifts, help consumers understand how to operate them and clean up after themselves.

• In-person support: Stannah technicians in the United States and Canada can provide in-person help after installation.

• Telephone support: Customer service representatives are available through the phone seven days a week around the clock. Consumers can call a toll-free number to arrange a free home assessment, no strings attached.

• Flexible designs: Stannah designs enable users to carry grocery or laundry bags, as well as fit with existing decorative patterns. They can also be folded for easy storage when they are not in use.

• Fits various needs: Stannah offers rental stairlifts for short-term use, and the company's stairlifts work in wide, straight, curved and narrow staircases.

• Best for: people who can't walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Stannah Stairlifts questions and answers

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person centered approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
How does your company measure success?
Our Company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last 5 years?
We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do, and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
Has Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
How has Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the Lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information