2. Elder Care
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.61/5

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)

BOTTOM LINE

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of their clients. The company's products have excellent features and come with two handheld remotes.

PROS

• Economical options
  • Options for limited flexibility
  • Battery operated

CONS

• Warranty options vary by dealer

Top Stannah Stairlifts Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

My husband has MS and he's having a hard time climbing the stairs … The installers were very professional. They showed me how to use the stairlift and went over everything. We've been using it and my husband likes that it's there.

My 93-year-old mother-in-law moved in with me and she dreaded going up and down the stairs. Now, she just pops on her stairlift and up she goes. The Stannah stairlift has been perfect.

Stannah Stairlifts Call Now Toll Free (617) 855-1809 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Information from Stannah on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stannah is committed to the safety of its customers and employees. The company is offering free quotes through phone or video appointments to help you get the information you need without an in-person evaluation.

If you have an immediate need for a stairlift, the company is doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe during the installation process. This includes following the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines, eliminating direct contact and utilizing protective gear to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Employees maintain a safe distance during the installation process and thoroughly wipe down your new stairlift after installation. The company has also transitioned into using digital documents over paper.

In addition to these guidelines, Stannah is ensuring any employee exposed to COVID-19 or who is showing symptoms or feeling unwell stays home and self-quarantines.

Stannah stair lift models

Stannah offers indoor and outdoor models for both straight and curved stairwells. This includes four stair lift models with differing style availabilities. You can buy Stannah stair lifts through a Stannah dealer. Stannah’s outdoor stair lifts come with a cover to protect against inclement weather.

• Stannah Starla: The Starla is Stannah’s most feature-heavy model. One such feature is the call button, which allows you to press a button and have the stair lift chair come to you. The call button lights up at night so you can see it easily. The seat on the Starla angles back slightly to help you feel more secure as you travel up and down the stairwell. The upholstery options look sharp - you can even choose a light or dark trim so your stair lift can match your home decor.
  • Stannah Siena: Stannah designed the Siena with space in mind. This compact model works best for narrow staircases and does a good job making use of the space available. The curved seat back helps keep riders comfortable. The armrests are slightly longer than ones in other models for added support, and the seat is also slightly wider. A retractable seatbelt fits intuitively into the arms of the chair. The Siena is compatible both with curved and straight staircases.
  • Stannah Sadler: The design of the Sadler model is for those with limited flexibility. The seat is ergonomically designed with adjustable height for comfort and non-slip for extra safety. It is a stand-up chair, so there isn’t as much weight on your back, hips and knees. The seat also produces gentle support beneath the cushion when you sit down and straightens your back by tilting up slightly when you stand up.
  • Stannah Scout: The Scout is Stannah’s economy model. Because it has a slim profile, it’s ideal for areas like basement stairs, and the anti-slip feature on the footrest is a nice safety feature. You can adjust the seat height as well. Safety sensors stop the lift if it detects an obstruction on the staircase.
ModelBest forWeight capacityBest feature
Stannah StarlaMost features350 lbs straight, 300 lbs curvedSeveral upholstery and rail options
Stannah SienaNarrow stairs350 lbs max, but can varyWide seat
Stannah SadlerLimited flexibility300 lbsErgonomic stand-up seat
Stannah ScoutAffordable option300 lbsAnti-slip footrest

Stannah stair lift cost

You can expect a straight staircase Stannah stairlift to cost anywhere from $2,800 to $5,000. Curved staircase Stannah stairlifts are closer to $8,500 to $14,000. This is a high price to pay for some people, but financing options are available. It’s essential to keep in mind that a stair lift will be a costly investment no matter where it is purchased, and Stannah stair lift prices are comparable to chair lifts from other reputable companies. Stannah recommends stair lift rentals for those looking for a short-term solution, for example, 18 months or less.

Do we recommend Stannah Stairlifts?

Yes. Stannah stair lifts are a good option for those looking for a better mobility option in their home. They have a wide range of lifts that cater to all needs, whether you want a basic model, a model loaded with features or a model for those with extensive mobility issues. We feel confident recommending Stannah stair lifts for your home.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

My wife is disabled and she can't climb stairs. I have three stairlifts. One is outside, one goes from the first floor down into the sunken living room, and another goes from the first floor to the second floor. They've been wonderful and the cost is reasonable. But for some reason, I cannot find the two controls that control the outside stairlift.

The outdoor stairlift is straight. It's only about five or six stairs. The inside one from the first floor down into the living room is three stairs. And the one going upstairs is a double-curve. It curves around from the kitchen to the stairwell, up the stairs and around to a loft. The original installation of that one was a disaster because it was designed wrong and it wouldn't go around the corner. They installed it, tried it, and took it right back out. It took a month for them to get it remade properly. But it works now. I kinda designed things that way so the stairlifts do not get in the way. The only problem is the outside one that’s on the upper end is too high so my wife has a hard time getting into it. The seat is maybe two inches too high. What we have to do is not bring it up all the way then place her into it. It's because she's too short.

Regarding the stairlifts, I thought my grandchildren would have a lot more fun with them if I don’t. I would recommend Stannah to friends but I would also tell them about the problem that I had with the one stairlift that was designed wrong. But the stairlift came just in time for my wife to come home from the rehab. It was touch-and-go there. Another thing is that the reps didn’t tell me how not to lose the remote controls.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Joe for your feedback! We apologize for the inconvenience of having to wait for another stairlift, and are glad to have been able to correct your installation. In speaking with our service department, we have scheduled your seat adjustment. You may be glad to hear, you did not lose the outdoor remotes. Stannah outdoor stairlifts do not come with remotes as they have stationary posts from which you can call the lift. If you are in need of any other assistance please don't hesitate to call our service department at: 1-888-272-4327.

The Stannah Team

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

My wife has a knee problem. Stannah was located close by and I was able to visit the showroom. The sales representative was good. I made the call to have someone come over to look, and he did. He knew the product. He explained a lot. I don't grasp that quickly, but he explained it. And then, he gave me two options, I made a decision on one, and then I made the decision to purchase.

The stairlift fits well there. It's not what I had envisioned because I thought it might go up a little higher and a bit closer to the wall. But we have a railing. Maybe if I were to remove the railing, but I didn't know if that would have any effect. Also, we did not have the outlet in the wall the day that the installers came. I must have misunderstood because I thought they would come and measure, and then come back to install. But they did both of those at the same time.

Then, I called the office two days later, after the electrician came. They were supposed to cover the wire with some sort of plastic cover. I gave them that message that everything was ready because the installer indicated on the work order that the plastic wasn't done over the plug because the outlet wasn't there. That hasn't been covered yet, even though I called to service. Maybe things went a little faster than I grasped because you have to understand, people who perform these duties on a day in, day out basis know exactly what to look for.

The other thing was, I had another question on the lift on the bottom. When they go up the steps, they have blocks that go every other step. In my eye, it looks like there is one missing, but it might be that it's not needed there. Also, I understand the chair doesn't do a 45-degree turn. It's maybe 40-degree, so that's okay. But other than that, it's working well.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Louis for sharing your feedback. The customer care team has reached out to you to schedule your cord to be covered. We are glad to hear your Stannah stairlift is working well.

The Stannah Team

Original review: March 11, 2020

When Kelly broke her leg in three places, the fire department had a hard time getting her out because they couldn’t bring the stretcher, which wouldn’t go by the stairlift. They had to resort to putting her in the chair and moving her to the stretcher when she got outside, which caused her a good amount of pain. She ended up in the hospital in January and had the same problem. Then, a couple of weeks ago, she took a fall and had the same problem. I don’t know if the chair is too big for the stairs, but when I got it put in, I asked if the fire department was going to be able to get her out. I was told yes. Stannah told me that the legal was 20 inches. However, they should measure a stretcher at the fire department because 20 inches wasn’t even close to being a safe way to get her out.

It would be nice if the control on the arm had a cover. Mom has Alzheimer’s and because she’s frightened, the first thing she does is reach for that. She can’t reach to the side and reaches right to the top of the arm. She kept holding it and pushing it either way with her fingers so I couldn’t get her up or down. She would make it go up to the point where my sister finally had to go up the step and hold her hand on her lap. Now, we put duct tape over it. On the opposite hand rest is the on and off switch, which we also put duct tape over. Also, when it’s at the top of the stairs and we’re not using it, I have to put an oven mitt over the arm because the light flashes and alarms her. When she comes down the hall, she thinks it’s broken and wants to fix it. Other than that, everything is working all right.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Stacey for your honest feedback. We're glad you were able to find workarounds for your mom. If in the future you would like us to send you a sticker to dim the light please don't hesitate to reach out to us at: 1-888-272-4327. We apologize for any confusion regarding the minimum requirement given to you for a safe stairlift installation. We cannot advise on fire or stretcher requirements and those should be checked with your local fire department.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have an elderly parent and she is having more difficulty getting up the stairs. It was getting to a point where we were afraid she was gonna fall so we decided to go with a stairlift. I did research on manufacturers and found that the track that the Bruno chairlift rides on was a little too heavy-duty. Then I saw photographs of the Stannah with the application that I wanted and decided to go with them. I also did a research on them and found that they've been in business for over 100 years. They used to make lifts and escalators in England. They're also local. I'm in Massachusetts and they have a place in Franklin.

I contacted them and my experience was quick and painless. The woman that I was speaking with was very informative and pleasant. We purchased a used chair, which was a savings of several hundred dollars and I appreciated that very much. She said that the track itself would have to be custom-made because I didn't have a straight staircase. It was done in England and then shipped back to the States. It took four weeks but she tried to put a rush in on a rush order and said that she'll try to get it in in a couple of weeks. But I said that it was fine and the waiting period was reasonable.

My mom was a little apprehensive when we first put her in the chairlift because she was a little afraid of it, not knowing what was going on. But now, she's like a duck to water. She just sits right in it and goes right up the stairs with no problem. But we had an issue when my brother mistakenly grabbed the platform with the footrest and he manually lifted it up. After that, it wouldn't work so they had a technician come down in a couple of days and he repaired it. There was no charge and I was very happy with that, considering it was our fault.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Steven for providing a Stannah Stairlifts five star review. We're glad we could provide a custom stairlift for your unique stairs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

We found a "used" Stannah Stairlift on Craig's list for friends who desperately needed a stairlift. It appeared to be in good condition. My husband has installed at least 4 of a variety of stairlifts for friends with no problem. A contact assembly was broken. Thought we could just buy the replacement part. We called the USA Stannah # on the internet. We were told we couldn't buy parts. Had to call a local number for service. Called Syracuse Elevator and were told that if they didn't install it, they wouldn't service it. So all we need is a new contact assembly and we have no way to repair this. Would NEVER recommend Stannah Stairlifts to anyone.

Hello Mr. Hiltz,

We have a responsibility to our customers to ensure that our stairlifts are installed and serviced by experienced technicians. While we know that some of our customers could maintain their stairlift, we've no easy way of assessing their mechanical ability. The consequences of getting this wrong could be tragic, so although it may be inconvenient, we do not sell stairlift parts. We offer refurbished stairlifts as well as rentals for those looking for a lower cost option.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I was looking around for a chairlift and I came across the Stannah name. I did a little research and they responded very well to me. Their sales reps were very accommodating and came to the house and talked to me, whereas some of the others just had me describe the situation and never came to the house. I got two straight stairlifts and they fit in nicely in my home. My wife isn't happy with them because she doesn't like the looks, but they're doing fine. When they were installed, the installers did their work promptly and got the job done. They demonstrated how to use it once and I got it right away. So far, my stairlifts are working well and I'm very happy. They do the job and that was what I needed. I feel a little older because I have to use one, but other than that, I have no problem.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Myron for your five-star of your Stannah stairlift. Aside from you feeling older, we're glad you're happy with your stairlift.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

My wife had just come back from the hospital, and she had breathing problems requiring oxygen. My legs are more or less out of order, and I found getting upstairs to be very difficult. We decided to get a stairlift. We liked Stannah's salesperson and we heard good recommendations about the company. The installation was very good and very quick. We got a straight stairlift. It works. The price was a bit high, but the quality is good.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

We have a good experience with our Stannah stairlift. It works okay. My husband is able to move and transfer to the second floor to the first floor. It’s good for him. We got the straight stailift and it fits very well in our home. Its quality is the highest. The installation team was excellent. They showed to my husband how to use it, and he's happy. It was for him because he cannot walk upstairs and downstairs. He cannot use stairs to walk.

I would like it if it was cheaper. But I paid because my husband needs it. Before Stannah, I invited another company and the cost was twice higher. Then my daughter found Stannah on the internet. Comparing to whatever was estimated before, I was happy with their estimate, and I am happy with this cost.

Even if it is expensive, I am happy. The stairlift is very useful. If you have a sick person in the family, it’s wonderful.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2020

I have arthritis, and that makes it difficult in the knees to go up and down steps. I wanted to get a stairlift. The sales visit with Stannah was very good. The rep was excellent. In fact, I purchased a second stairlift, and it wasn't the same representative. But the experiences are very good. I found them informative and they weren't pushy.

The installers were good, and particularly with the virus because I'm overly protective here. I got indoors stairlifts. They're straight, but one has a retractable track. They’re two different models because they're several years apart. I like the second one better. It has a button that retracts this thing that you would put your feet on and it goes up and it retracts the track. It's simple to use. Stannah's quality is very good. It really helps the pain in my knees. It's pricey, but when you consider your choices and when it's helping you to hopefully do, you just pay what they're asking. Everything is ridiculously priced now.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Lois for your five-star review! We are so glad your Stannah stairlifts is helping to reduce pain in your knees. Our footrest button comes standard on all but one model, and our retractable rail is automatic. We are happy to hear these two features are serving you well.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

We've had our Stannah stairlift for a month now, and it's doing the job it's supposed to. So far, it's reliable, so I'm quite pleased with it. There were several companies, and I'd heard about Stannah Stairlifts from some people. I checked the others, though. They're all about the same price but Stannah had at least the reputation that I had tapped into. I dealt with Tony, and he operates out of the Franklin office. We spent some time. He's a nice guy and very explicit and explained a lot of things. My interactions with him worked out very well.

Our stairlift is fine for the particular setup that we have. It takes a part of the staircase, but not all of it, so we can still come up and down. Those of us who are still walking freely can do that. There will become a time if we move out, moving furniture would be an impediment then. At that point, we're probably required to take it off. But in the meantime, everything is fine. I'm gonna have the annual maintenance checkup. I hope to get a number of years of use out of it.

Stannah Stairlifts Q&A

We spoke to Martin Stevenson, head of U.S. marketing for Stannah Stairlifts, to ask him more about the company and its products.

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
    Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
    What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
    Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
    What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person-centric approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
    How does your company measure success?
    Our company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
    One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
    How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last five years?
    We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
    We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry, and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end-user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
    Have Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
    While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
    How have Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
    We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information