2. Elder Care
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.79/5

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)

BOTTOM LINE

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of their clients. The company's products have excellent features and come with two handheld remotes.

PROS

• Economical options
  • Options for limited flexibility
  • Battery operated

CONS

• Warranty options vary by dealer

Top Stannah Stairlifts Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

My husband has MS and he's having a hard time climbing the stairs … The installers were very professional. They showed me how to use the stairlift and went over everything. We've been using it and my husband likes that it's there.

My 93-year-old mother-in-law moved in with me and she dreaded going up and down the stairs. Now, she just pops on her stairlift and up she goes. The Stannah stairlift has been perfect.

Stannah Stairlifts Call Now Toll Free (617) 855-1809 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Information from Stannah on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stannah is committed to the safety of its customers and employees. The company is offering free quotes through phone or video appointments to help you get the information you need without an in-person evaluation.

If you have an immediate need for a stairlift, the company is doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe during the installation process. This includes following the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines, eliminating direct contact and utilizing protective gear to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Employees maintain a safe distance during the installation process and thoroughly wipe down your new stairlift after installation. The company has also transitioned into using digital documents over paper.

In addition to these guidelines, Stannah is ensuring any employee exposed to COVID-19 or who is showing symptoms or feeling unwell stays home and self-quarantines.

Stannah stair lift models

Stannah offers indoor and outdoor models for both straight and curved stairwells. This includes four stair lift models with differing style availabilities. You can buy Stannah stair lifts through a Stannah dealer. Stannah’s outdoor stair lifts come with a cover to protect against inclement weather.

• Stannah Starla: The Starla is Stannah’s most feature-heavy model. One such feature is the call button, which allows you to press a button and have the stair lift chair come to you. The call button lights up at night so you can see it easily. The seat on the Starla angles back slightly to help you feel more secure as you travel up and down the stairwell. The upholstery options look sharp - you can even choose a light or dark trim so your stair lift can match your home decor.
  • Stannah Siena: Stannah designed the Siena with space in mind. This compact model works best for narrow staircases and does a good job making use of the space available. The curved seat back helps keep riders comfortable. The armrests are slightly longer than ones in other models for added support, and the seat is also slightly wider. A retractable seatbelt fits intuitively into the arms of the chair. The Siena is compatible both with curved and straight staircases.
  • Stannah Sadler: The design of the Sadler model is for those with limited flexibility. The seat is ergonomically designed with adjustable height for comfort and non-slip for extra safety. It is a stand-up chair, so there isn’t as much weight on your back, hips and knees. The seat also produces gentle support beneath the cushion when you sit down and straightens your back by tilting up slightly when you stand up.
  • Stannah Scout: The Scout is Stannah’s economy model. Because it has a slim profile, it’s ideal for areas like basement stairs, and the anti-slip feature on the footrest is a nice safety feature. You can adjust the seat height as well. Safety sensors stop the lift if it detects an obstruction on the staircase.
ModelBest forWeight capacityBest feature
Stannah StarlaMost features350 lbs straight, 300 lbs curvedSeveral upholstery and rail options
Stannah SienaNarrow stairs350 lbs max, but can varyWide seat
Stannah SadlerLimited flexibility300 lbsErgonomic stand-up seat
Stannah ScoutAffordable option300 lbsAnti-slip footrest

Stannah stair lift cost

You can expect a straight staircase Stannah chair lift to cost anywhere from $2,500-$5,000. Curved staircase Stannah lifts are closer to $7,500-$10,000. This is a high price to pay for some people, but financing options are available. It’s essential to keep in mind that a stair lift will be a costly investment no matter where it is purchased, and Stannah stair lift prices are comparable to chair lifts from other reputable companies. Stannah recommends stair lift rentals for those looking for a short-term solution, for example, 18 months or less.

Do we recommend Stannah Stairlifts?

Yes. Stannah stair lifts are a good option for those looking for a better mobility option in their home. They have a wide range of lifts that cater to all needs, whether you want a basic model, a model loaded with features or a model for those with extensive mobility issues. We feel confident recommending Stannah stair lifts for your home.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: March 11, 2020

When Kelly broke her leg in three places, the fire department had a hard time getting her out because they couldn’t bring the stretcher, which wouldn’t go by the stairlift. They had to resort to putting her in the chair and moving her to the stretcher when she got outside, which caused her a good amount of pain. She ended up in the hospital in January and had the same problem. Then, a couple of weeks ago, she took a fall and had the same problem. I don’t know if the chair is too big for the stairs, but when I got it put in, I asked if the fire department was going to be able to get her out. I was told yes. Stannah told me that the legal was 20 inches. However, they should measure a stretcher at the fire department because 20 inches wasn’t even close to being a safe way to get her out.

It would be nice if the control on the arm had a cover. Mom has Alzheimer’s and because she’s frightened, the first thing she does is reach for that. She can’t reach to the side and reaches right to the top of the arm. She kept holding it and pushing it either way with her fingers so I couldn’t get her up or down. She would make it go up to the point where my sister finally had to go up the step and hold her hand on her lap. Now, we put duct tape over it. On the opposite hand rest is the on and off switch, which we also put duct tape over. Also, when it’s at the top of the stairs and we’re not using it, I have to put an oven mitt over the arm because the light flashes and alarms her. When she comes down the hall, she thinks it’s broken and wants to fix it. Other than that, everything is working all right.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Stacey for your honest feedback. We're glad you were able to find workarounds for your mom. If in the future you would like us to send you a sticker to dim the light please don't hesitate to reach out to us at: 1-888-272-4327. We apologize for any confusion regarding the minimum requirement given to you for a safe stairlift installation. We cannot advise on fire or stretcher requirements and those should be checked with your local fire department.

The Stannah Team

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I have an elderly parent and she is having more difficulty getting up the stairs. It was getting to a point where we were afraid she was gonna fall so we decided to go with a stairlift. I did research on manufacturers and found that the track that the Bruno chairlift rides on was a little too heavy-duty. Then I saw photographs of the Stannah with the application that I wanted and decided to go with them. I also did a research on them and found that they've been in business for over 100 years. They used to make lifts and escalators in England. They're also local. I'm in Massachusetts and they have a place in Franklin.

I contacted them and my experience was quick and painless. The woman that I was speaking with was very informative and pleasant. We purchased a used chair, which was a savings of several hundred dollars and I appreciated that very much. She said that the track itself would have to be custom-made because I didn't have a straight staircase. It was done in England and then shipped back to the States. It took four weeks but she tried to put a rush in on a rush order and said that she'll try to get it in in a couple of weeks. But I said that it was fine and the waiting period was reasonable.

My mom was a little apprehensive when we first put her in the chairlift because she was a little afraid of it, not knowing what was going on. But now, she's like a duck to water. She just sits right in it and goes right up the stairs with no problem. But we had an issue when my brother mistakenly grabbed the platform with the footrest and he manually lifted it up. After that, it wouldn't work so they had a technician come down in a couple of days and he repaired it. There was no charge and I was very happy with that, considering it was our fault.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Steven for providing a Stannah Stairlifts five star review. We're glad we could provide a custom stairlift for your unique stairs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I went online and the way that Stannah’s website was set up, they seemed like an honest company. I read the reviews, and they were good on them as well. It was a smaller company and it looked like I would be getting more response from them if we had a problem, just from what people said on the reviews. The saleswoman was great. She came and talked to us, and it was a very tight staircase. My mom had had a bad fall and she’s blind, so we needed to be able to get her up and downstairs because she was moving in with me. The lady measured and said it would work. A few weeks later, they called and it was all made.

I had carpeting put in and when the installers came, they asked if the carpeting was here when the lady measured. I said no and that I didn't even take that into consideration. He said not to worry and that they could make a few adjustments. They did and it worked. They were fabulous and hard workers. They had the whole thing in in about three hours. The stairlift is easy to operate. My mother being legally blind, it’s hard for her to see or push a button and this is so simple that she’s able to do it herself, which is probably the best thing because if we’re up in the third or fourth floor, or we stepped out, whenever she needed to get up, she could do it herself.

The quality of the stairlift is very nice, and it’s quiet and nicely-made. It blends in with my décor and it doesn't take up a lot of room when it’s not in use. Stannah Stairlifts was excellent and they were great. The people were professional, thoughtful, patient and showed me and my mother how it works. They also told me to call them if I need anything. The stairlift was expensive and it was a lot more than what we thought, but it’s worth every penny of it. I’m very happy with it.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Ellen for such kind words. Customer service is high on our list of priorities so we're glad to hear you had a positive experience and are happy with your Stannah stairlift.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

My Stannah Stairlift has certainly been very good. There are a few times when it goes down, it’s not exactly smooth all the way down. But on the other hand, it certainly is not a cause for concern. It did a lot for helping my sciatica pain because I no longer have to use my left leg to go up the stairs, and that’s where the sciatica problem is.

It was a straight stairlift, the typical height, the typical number of stairs, and nothing in the way. It was just that the guy should’ve brought up the possibility of a used one on his own without me having to ask. He gave me the price of the new one and that was that. When I asked about a used one, he started checking. He also led me to believe that I could get the stairlift installed in a week, and it took two weeks before he was able to get a crew. It was at the latter part of August, a lot of people were on vacation, and I think that’s what caused the delay. The day he gave me turned out to be the correct date they showed up. But he was gonna try to improve that date somewhat, and he wasn’t able to. Even the representative who was here was pretty angry over that. He talked to the secretary, and then he said he was gonna talk to the boss, and so forth, and so on that they couldn't do better than that.

The installers knew what they were doing although it took a little longer than I had expected for just a straight installation. They had to make a bunch of adjustments and I think that’s what caused them some problems where they had to look into it and make some changes. The stairlift's a used one and it’s possible that it took them a little longer to straighten it out and make it work right. One little thing I would’ve done was that I could've removed the handrail on the one side and put it closer to the one side, instead of having it out as far as it is although that’s not their fault. That’s just something that occurred to me afterwards. But they did a nice job. The stairlift had very few noises and it operates very much like I expected. I was pleased with the installation. It does the job like it’s supposed to.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I would like to start out by saying, Our Salesperson, Michelle, was simply wonderful. Stannah Stairlifts should be proud of this employee as she represents your company in the highest standard. Her work ethic is top notch. Here is my experience. My mother is 85 years old, my father has passed and was a retired Boston Police Officer. I come from a family of 7 kids. My mother and father bought our house in West Roxbury, MA. in 1961. She has lived in this house and raised 7 children since 1961. Lots of memories in this house for a parent 85 years old. I know she loves this house. What started to happen this past year, is she really began to struggle getting up the stairs. We have 10 stairs that get you to the second floor. My mother was getting so winded by the 6 stair and by the time she got to the 10th stair she was totally exhausted.

I knew we needed to do something. I never saw her struggle that bad. I feared she would have a heart attack or injure herself. We either needed to sell the house, move her into assisted living or invest in the Chairlift. We started to look into the Chairlift as that's what my mother wanted us to do. I had Acorn come out to the house and I had Stannah come out to the house. Michelle was the salesperson that came out. She was simply wonderful. She went over everything. She explained everything in detail. You could see she believes in the product, which made me believe in the product. The more she presented everything, the more I realized Stannah has the best product. Stannah is far better than Acorn. Stannah has the better chair, the better safety features, the better warranty and the far better customer service.

I took a ride to their showroom and once I saw the chair in real life, that sealed the deal for me. I saw how sturdy it was, I saw how easy it is to operate but you can feel its good quality. I sat in the chair and used it on their makeshift staircases and it was simply wonderful. It was comfortable but yet sturdy and so easy to operate. I went home and told my mother, "We need to get this chair. You will not find a better chair than Stannah." We had it installed this past Tuesday and my mother loves it. We could not be happier. My mother could not be happier. She no longer has to struggle up 10 flights of stairs. We are up the stairs in no more than 15 seconds opposed to her walking the stairs, which took her 25 minutes to get up and down the stairs. This is worth every penny! She has far more energy now.

When she had to walk those stairs it drained all of her energy, she was just totally exhausted. What a turnaround, she has more energy and more color in her skin. Thank you Michelle for your hard work, for your believe in your product, for your wonderful presentation as I believe if it wasn't for you, I probably would never have bought this. This is the best investment in my mothers care. What a rewarding feeling you must get knowing you played a role in helping an elderly person stay in their home. I know my father is looking down from heaven smiling, knowing his wife can stay in the home that she has been in for over 50 years, And a home that she loves to be in.

Thank You Michelle! Thank You for your outstanding customer Service. Thank You Stannah for putting out a wonderful product. I believe Stannah Stairlifts is simply the best Chairlift out there. My mother loves it! Very happy we invested in this product. I believe my mother will be able to live in her house for many more years, because of this Chairlift. Highly Recommend. Also, wanted to give a shoutout to the installing, he was wonderful as well. Nancy **, West Roxbury, MA.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Nancy for your kind words! We are so glad to hear about your mother's turnaround. We love being able to help as many people as we can stay in their homes and communities for as long as possible and it was our pleasure to have been able to assist you and your mother.

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 20, 2020

My decision to purchase a Stannah stairlift was price-driven, and the sales rep that I dealt with was a disaster -- terrible installation, poor communication, the job was an unmitigated disaster. It cost my client a lot of money and aggravation. The stair came wrong. We were not given the full and proper shop drawings, so I don't know why they could not pull that together. We were told they could do, and then they couldn't do. It's workable but my client is incredibly unhappy.

Hi Mr Epstein,

We're sorry that your client is unhappy with his stairlift installation. While we accept some fault in this for not providing the drawing after the fact, there was a specific issue with a cabinet that was added at the top of the staircase after we had already surveyed the stairs. While we might not be able to provide an outcome that will make your customer completely happy, we hope that the stairlift continues to be workable for him, so that his stairs can be used safely and easily.

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 14, 2020

We did research on stairlifts. We had a couple of different companies, Acorn, Stannah, and another come up. With Stannah, they had some options that other companies didn’t have. The biggest seller was the motorized foot rest that would go up. So that way my mother didn’t have to transition, even though the distance was only a couple inches. Still, when she stood up she was on the ground, she would be walking. My mom has MS and neuropathy and a couple different things so that was the biggest seller. I was there for the sales visit and it was professional, courteous and informative.

The only thing I don’t like is they told me that there were two stairlifts. So the one going into the basement, they told me that to power it, they would run the cord up through the rafters in the basement and go over to an outlet over near the circuit breaker panel. They didn’t do it. They ended up taking a shortcut. The only reason I’m not happy about it is where it’s plugged in, I have to constantly unplug and plug in my work bench light. But who really cares? The stairlift also gets in my way, but it’s for my mother so it makes me happy that she’s safe.

Original review: June 13, 2020

My dad needed a Stannah stairlift to go up and down the stairs. The salesman and the installation were great. Everything went very smoothly and the quality is great. I like that my dad can safely get up and down the stairs now.

Original review: March 18, 2020

The customer service rep I dealt with was very nice, and the person who installed it was wonderful. I ride the chair to my bed upstairs. This way, I can get up and down. Overall, the chair is wonderful.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Our Stannah stairlift does exactly what it should do and it functions properly. It is everything we thought plus a whole lot more. Out of all the ones that I researched, I'm glad that we went with this route. We researched them online and read about the reviews that other people were doing. Then some of the prices were a lot less and you also got what you pay for. When you start spending $10,000, you don’t want a piece of crap that is going to crap out on you, or you do not want to have issues with people doing all kinds of service calls. It boils down to you get what you pay for. Stannah is like the Cadillac, if not Lamborghini, of stairlifts.

Penelope, the sales rep I dealt with, was awesome. They were spot-on. It came the day they said it would arrive. We got a pre-meeting about it when Penelope explained what was going to happen. The installation guys were great and personable. They did not screw around. They came in, banged it out, cleaned up, and were on their way. Five hours later, they were all done.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mr. Carrier for your kind words! You raise such a good point about quality and price. Stannah is a leader among stairlift companies in safety and reliability. We know you will enjoy the independence that comes from owning a Stannah stairlift for years to come.

Stannah Stairlifts Q&A

We spoke to Martin Stevenson, head of U.S. marketing for Stannah Stairlifts, to ask him more about the company and its products.

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
    Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
    What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
    Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
    What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person-centric approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
    How does your company measure success?
    Our company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
    One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
    How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last five years?
    We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
    We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry, and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end-user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
    Have Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
    While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
    How have Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
    We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information