Call toll free
(844) 602-1938
4.82/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

575 Stannah Stairlifts Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 13, 2019

We have a summer place and my sister was having an issue going to the lower level where our washer and dryer is. We decided to purchase a stairlift and that time, I talked to someone who purchased from Stannah Stairlift 22 years ago. He couldn't have raved more about Stannah so I decided to buy one from them. I called and booked an appointment for someone to come out to measure and the person who came, Michelle, explained everything. I gave her a deposit of $3,300 because our stairwell has a curvature and the cost was gonna be 13,300. She said it’d take two or three weeks to get the stairlift.

Some time thereafter, two techs, Eric and Joe, and installed the stairlift. They were here for approximately two and a half hours and they realized there was a measuring issue that Michelle hadn’t taken into consideration. It was a ceiling that came over a banister, and when the chair would go up, your head would’ve hit it. So, they had to remove everything. Michelle returned to remeasure and said that normally, such mistakes don't happen.

Their installers came again to reinstall a new, custom-made stairlift. They were at my place approximately four hours but then one of the technicians had to leave because he had another assignment. Ryan, the remaining tech worked around the problem that they came upon that second time around. He made a few calls and talked to someone. He finally got the chair to move. He then went over everything and we paid him the balance.

After the chairlift had been installed for 18 days, the power went off on the arm thing that makes the chair move up and down the stairs. I called Stannah late in the afternoon on a Saturday and explained my issue to their rep LaTasha. She explained that their Monday was already booked and if their tech comes out on a weekend, a service charge had to be paid. We said we would pay whatever that charge was. She then said that we would be hearing from the tech shortly. Several hours later, we heard from Ryan once again. He said that he would be available that Sunday but also he couldn't promise that he would be the tech who would come out on that Monday. Ryan also said that he would call his boss to find out what I have to agree to before he would come and that he would tell me the amount I have to pay.

Ryan called back and I told him something about the stairlift being under warranty. He explained how the service I was requesting wasn't under the warranty. He said that usually, my item would be under warranty but then a service call on a Sunday wasn't covered. We've only had the stairlift for 18 days and we were delayed a full month because of Michelle measuring incorrectly and it didn't seem fair that we had to pay $225.

Ryan arrived around 2 o'clock, the time he was expected to. He said that it wasn't the same issue that arose when he installed. The most recent problem was a computer board that needed to be replaced whereas the initial problem was something under the seat. I asked Ryan whether the chair I had was used. He said it wasn't but then I thought that when they had to take the everything back, it was probably tossed around in the truck and something went out of whack. The chair I have is probably more fragile than I know. Still, Ryan got the chair running and it has been running since. It has been wonderful.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Stannah Stairlifts has been in business for a long time and they were very prompt about getting me a quotation. It was very interesting though because one of the things that I was not happy about and I considered a black mark against them was they did not have anybody local in my area. But I found out in my checking around that there are a few fly-by-night operations that are guys who must be working out of their garage. The stairlift is a kind of a device that you don’t want a company or an installer that’s not doing it so often. It turned out that a friend of mine has an Acorn at his house in Queens and has been having a hard time getting somebody to service it.

One of the companies that I considered came very promptly and did whatever they do, but it took them eight days to get me a quote. I was in business long enough that I could smell the problems between the lines. However, Stannah was very prompt in calling back. There was also a person answering the phone, not an answering machine, and I got the quotation immediately after they arrived. They were prompt in all the areas. Their guy showed up early for the look-see and showed up early for the installation. You can’t go wrong with those.

We had a straight stairlift installed and we have a wide enough staircase that, with this chair and everything down, we can still walk by it. The only thing that I don’t care for so much is the vinyl seat covering. It has come off twice. It was not very well-designed and it would be nice if that was improved in some way. The color fits right in because our colors happen to be close to the unit’s color. The installer did a very nice job installing the stairlift and did a very thorough coverage of the things to look out for, and I was pleased. I was interested that the unit had a rack-and-pinion drive instead of a worm drive, but since it has a sectional track, it makes slightly different noises at different sections of the track. There is something not perfectly aligned, but it seems to be running fine. It has gone up and down at least 20 times.

The Stannah stairlift has allowed my wife to go back upstairs again. We have a master suite upstairs and for a while, she was unable to do the stairs and we had moved into our guest room down below. She wanted to get back upstairs and the stairlift has allowed us to stay in our home. I have not needed a service call and that’s the only place where I had questions since they don’t have a local office, but since the fellow who came to do the measuring and the fellow who did the install were early, it gave me a bit of good feeling about them showing up if I have a service issue. The other issue for me is we have power outages much more regularly than anywhere else and the battery thing isn’t a good piece of the design of the unit. Still, Stannah has been doing the chairlifts longer than anybody else and they’re pretty together. I thought Stannah was the best and, so far, I have not been disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

My mother-in-law has moved in with us and we sensed a stairlift was gonna be needed. I looked at Stannah's website and saw what they offered. The salesman did a great job. He came to the house, spent about an hour with us, and went over a lot of information with us. He was really good with my mother-in-law and myself. He measured some stuff ahead of time and said what the issues we might need to address if we decide to go with Stannah. He said we have to have an outlet put in over at a certain area and I said that there’s an outlet on one side of the stairwell. So he said the installers would figure it out and tuck it away.

He also took the time to go over everything with us and let us asked every question no matter what it was about. He was so funny too and I really liked him. But we didn’t seal the deal until I took my mother-in-law to the office in Franklin, to have her sit at the chair, look at them so she would have an idea what we were getting into. We lived in the next town over Franklin, MA which comes in handy in case something goes wrong.

I was present only when the installers first came and then I had to leave. But my mother-in-law said that they were great and in the short period of time that I had with them, I explained where the battery was gonna go. They said that they would make it all nice and seamless. They put cover on the wire and did a fantastic job. I’m very pleased with the installation. They were also very nice and receptive. One even said that they might have to drill against the rug and might pull it.

We tested the stairlift a couple of times once it was installed while they were here. When my husband rode it, it stopped at the top and something had shorted out. So while the guys were here, they fixed it right away and since then, we had no issues. We got a curved stairlift and so far, I’m very pleased with it. My mother-in-law has her own space in the basement wherein she has everything like a full bath and a kitchen. So the stairlift was for a basement stairway which is a bit narrower than a typical stairway with just so many steps, then a landing, and then three more steps. The remote is a nice feature at the top and bottom of the stairs. When the chair is curled, wrapped around, out of the way, everybody could come in and out. However, we wouldn't be able to move furniture in and out that way. We have to go up to the bulkhead.

In general, it has worked great and seems very durable. Even the physical therapist who comes to help my mother-in-law was totally impressed with it. And she sees quite a few ‘cause she has a clientele of the older group as well. The stairlift costs $11,400 which is pretty expensive, but if it does the job and the quality stays as good as it has been so far, I see it as a good investment.

We actually had to start using it a lot sooner than we thought so the timing was pretty good. The stairlift had a positive impact on my mother-in-law because she had a couple of weeks wherein she had serious knee pain and getting up and down the stairs was tough. And there was one point where she actually couldn’t even walk to the chairlift. We had to carry her to it. So in that extreme situation, it was a Godsend that we had it. It has also alleviated her work to get up the stairs, therefore making her probably more like, “Okay. Yeah, we can go ‘cause I have that to get me up to the main level.”

I’ve recommended Stannah Stairlifts to another person who told me some very surprising things from another top-selling chairlift company. They came to her house to give her an assessment and a quote. She told me some information that the other chairlift company told her and I was in shock. They didn’t mention to her about a battery pack, which they offer, and said that if she loses power, she should look in to getting a generator. I said that the stairlifts run on batteries. I also said, “You leave the chair on. It charges all the time. If you lose power, you’ll have multiple trips up and down the stairs. The battery lasts plenty of times for that.” So I said she has to go with Stannah because they'd come out and explain everything to her and have every answer for her questions and she could buzz over to the next town over 'cause she was in a town also very close to Franklin

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Stannah has a showroom that has all the different stairlifts lined up and I narrowed it down to a couple of them before I even went there. Once I physically saw and touched it, and rode on the different ones, I got a feel for it and that was very convincing. Going there made a difference because the Stannah stairlift cost a bit more money than the others and I was pretty much set on the other one that was less expensive. The gentleman I dealt with wasn’t high pressure and we had a lot of things in common. He understood the business and what he said was what happened as far as installation.

I got the Siena 600 straight stairlift and it didn’t make as much as noise as I thought it might. It also folds up closer to the wall than I anticipated. I thought it was gonna be more intrusive than it is. It makes it easy to go up and down the stairs and it impacts my wife more than it does me because she does it more than I do. Our garage is under the house so any time we go shopping or to laundry, it’s downstairs. The stairway that they put in goes from the basement to the first floor. Once you get to the first floor, everything is on that one floor but you have to enter the house from the cellar.

It annoys me though that the remote controls are VHF. You have to have a minimum of stairwell and it has to be aimed right at the chair to make it work. The buttons are installed on the outside and I didn’t wanna have to go into the stairwell to push buttons to make the thing work. The remote won’t work unless you have it in the side there, so I have to take it out, hold it in my hand, aim it up the thing, and wait for it go up and down. It could have been solved with a different type of frequency such as that of the television remote. You don’t have to aim it at the TV anymore. As long as it’s in that room that you’re in, it changes the station. When you’re paying the extra money above what competition was, that was a feature that they should have.

The chair that I got is not the top-of-the-line. It’s a middle one and the handles that you pull to swivel it to the left and to the right is just a little stick. For the money, it could’ve had hand grips on it that would make it a little bit more appealing. When I called about it yesterday, they said that for $700, I can get another option. I’m not paying another $700 to have a better handgrip on the handle. It’s just not that big a thing. I’ve been trying to buy some to see if I could put them on but the pipe is less than half an inch so that it’s very small. I went to some fabricators and they could very easily make them to fit that bar and they’re less than a buck. For an extra buck, you could have a handgrip that would look half decent and be easy to use. So, they should have investigated that.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I can't climb up and go downstairs. I have a heart and lung problem so when I move I can't breathe. I had another quote from a different provider and Stannah was the second one and I decided to go with them. But I was shocked at the expense. It was like three times the other one was. Also I got a curved stairlift and was a little disappointed. There was an existing railing on part of the stairs and they didn't remove that when they put the stairlift outside of the railing, so it narrowed the stairway even more. It still clears but I think they could have done a better engineering job.

They installed it fine and they had me sit in it and ride it down the stairs once. But they left no instructions on anything else about the chair. There was no demonstration whatsoever. And when I had my first service call this past Saturday, the rep explained to me but I didn't even know where the seatbelt was because it is hidden. I've had it maybe a week and I'm on oxygen. I was coming back up the stairs on the chair and it grabbed my oxygen’s header into the gears. It stopped the chair and cut of the oxygen and I panicked. But I managed to take the mask off and get another mask with another oxygen tank so that part of it was okay. And then I tried to get the header out from the gear. I cut it trying to pull it out. But I was deciding it was gonna stay right where it was.

So I went on the internet and noticed that they had 24/7 service. I called and was put on hold. I think the message said very busy and I was on hold for about 20 minutes and there was absolutely dead airspaces and no recording. There was not a sound and you would think you had been disconnected. And after about 20 minutes, I finally hung up and called back again and took the option of leaving a message for a call back.

Two hours later, I still haven't heard back from them so I went on the internet again and found another number and called for service. A woman did answer after a short period of time of five minutes. I told her my dilemma. I had a doctor's appointment on Monday, but I don't think I told her that. But she did tell me that the phone’s conversation would be recorded. I told her what the problem was and she said, ”They can have somebody out there Monday.” And I said, "Well, your ad says it should have service, even on Christmas day, 24/7. And she seemed irritated that I said that and she said, "Well, I said that wasn’t your only option.” And she said, "We'll have somebody call you back today."

A half an hour later Brad from Stannah called me and said he was on his was to Massachusetts for a call but he would come see on his way back. An hour later he called and he said it was gonna take him two hours to get back from Massachusetts and I said that was fine. At least he kept me updated. He came and he was very courteous, very nice and very knowledgeable. He unzipped the header from the gear and he said, "You're not the first one that did this."

The thing was brand new to me. I didn’t know how delicate it was as far as sucking up stuff. But he was here probably 45 minutes to one hour making some other adjustment, which I didn't understand. Because it was a brand new machine I figured if it needed adjustment it would have occurred when they installed it. So he finished and it worked fine. He tested it himself and then he said, “$225 please," And I was bound to have a heart attack. I said, "What?" And he said, "Well, it's Saturday and that's considered an emergency and you were told that there'd be a $225 fee." I said, "No I was I not told. But the phone call was recorded so you can go back and see that I was not told."

But what can you do then when he really repaired it so I wrote him a check for $225. And he went out to do it and he felt very bad that I haven't been told that. It was total shock to me. It was a brand new machine and within a week you have a problem because you're still so new using it with no instruction when it was installed. I thought I will have a minimal fee. But $225 to me was ridiculous! So I am not a happy camper with the company. As a whole they maybe fine but their customer philosophy is terrible. And I was so glad that they said that the phone was recorded. I hope it really is because they can check to verify the fact that I was never told of $200 or that a Saturday call was considered an emergency.

But Stannah kept me independent for a little bit longer. I live alone and I'm trying to stay as independent as possible. I live in a raised ground so this gets me down to the garage into my car and from the garage I can access the land level of the house so it works. The ride is also very smooth and very quiet. It appears to be made well. I got a refurnished one, so although they promised me a different chair and a different color upholstery, I didn't get that either but that's beside the point. The chair itself is a quality product and that portion of it I can certainly recommend to anybody. But I'd also tell others don't ever call them for service on a weekend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: June 18, 2019

We’re happy with our Stannah stairlift. We have a two-storey house and our bedroom’s in the second floor. My parents are elderly and have a handicap, so we needed that. We liked Stannah's warranty and their salesperson that came here was really professional. I told him that I saw the competitors and he explained their difference, that they had great reviews, and customer satisfaction. He was really good, straight up, and honest. He said that the others were probably giving us a cheaper price but he pointed out where other places were not satisfactory. He also explained the small lettering in other companies, which I was really grateful for. As soon as he showed us the good and the bad, we made the decision with Stannah and we didn’t wanna take more appraisals after that.

We got the straight model. The salesman was also at point with me, because I got the used one, not the brand-new. And we liked the plan that he gave us, the option to lease to purchase and we were really comfortable with it. I would recommend it. The installer who came out was good, too. He was really polite, professional, and made sure he didn’t make a mess. He even took his shoes off but I told him not to worry about that. So, we were really pleased from beginning to the end. The quality of the stairlift is also very good and we haven’t had any problems. It goes smoothly up and down. The person who installed even made sure we kinda understood what to do with it.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I have bad knees and I can't walk up my stairs so I decided to buy a stairlift. I talked to two other companies but Stannah gave me the best deal. Michele was my salesperson and she was very good. Jacob was the guy that put it in and he was very good too. He made sure that I felt comfortable going up and down. It was a good experience. I love my chairlift. It makes my life much easier. It's very comfortable and easy to use. You can't make a mistake. It's excellent and I enjoy it. Even my dog likes it so I put her on it once in a while. She's 13 years old and she comes up once in a while.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Jane for your feedback. We're glad hear your Stannah stairlift has made the stairs and life in general so much easier! At Stannah we strive to match each person with the best stairlift solution for their needs, so we're always glad to hear from satisfied customers how we've impacted their lives for the better.

The Stannah Team

Original review: June 12, 2019

The friend I take care of had his toes amputated. He couldn't walk up and down the stairs so we decided to purchase a stairlift as it was less expensive to get one than to put him in a nursing home or assisted living. I saw a $200 coupon in the paper for a Stannah stairlift and found that they had a good reputation so I went with them. The rep who helped us was very precise. She not only gave me the discount on the coupon but she gave me another one as well. We wound up getting a curved stairlift and the installation team who came was A1. Everything was well-measured and done.

Another thing I liked with Stannah is that I put 25% on the downpayment and then, a month after it’s installed, they gave me five months to pay it off. I like that method because it's doable for us whereas it wouldn't be if it were a lump sum. Since getting the stairlift, we've been loving it. I've used it myself to try and make sure that everything works fine. My friend Joe loves it too. He went out for the first time in two months yesterday and he was able to do that. Everybody should get a Stannah Stairlift.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I have mobility issues and I have trouble going up and down the stairs. I decided to get a stairlift and so we interviewed three companies. All three salesmen for each of the companies were good but then we liked the bells and whistles we could get with Stannah which included a swiveling seat and an automatically raising and dropping floor step. Though their product wasn't the cheapest, they had the best product with the best features. We had them install 2 straight stairlifts in our home. Their techs were here for quite a while and they did a good job. The Stannah Stairlift has been easy to use and it has liberated me such that I can go up and down whenever I want.

Original review: June 10, 2019

We were getting a stairlift for my Mother. She’s 91 years old and she's having trouble going up and down the stairs. We looked at three different stairlift companies. One of the company didn't have a showroom and Stannah did. We went to their showroom and they had all three stairlifts there. We got the chance to compare them and we liked Stannah's. We didn't even bother going to the third company anymore because they only had their lift and we couldn't compare with the other ones.

My mother liked Stannah's footrest compared to the other company. On top of that, they also had a second-hand unit in stock, so all we had to do was to buy the new track, and we got the second-hand unit for a couple of bucks less. Also, their rep was very understanding of my mother's concerns and she addressed them. She was very professional as far as taking all the measurements and doing things. My mother felt very comfortable with the whole thing. And the installation went smoothly.

In the first couple of times my mother used the Stannah stairlift, she thought it was great, comfortable and relaxing. Then about three days after the installation, I got a panic call from my mother. She was stuck on the stairs and the lift wouldn't come down. I went over there, but by the time I got there, she had crawled out of the lift and got down the stairs. She discovered that the curtain was stuck in the rack. During the installation, we took that curtain down so it wouldn't be in the installer's way. It wasn't really his fault. So we just backed the stairlift up with nobody in the chair, took the curtain out, and we thumbtacked it up against the window until we could shorten it. That cured the problem. She was a little concerned when it got stuck because that was one of her fears. But she has been reassured and she’s happy with it again. She’s also trying to talk her neighbor into getting it.

Original review: June 9, 2019

When we had our Stannah stairlift installed, the installers were timely. They showed up when they were supposed to, did a quick installation and were available to assist me with any need. They also gave me a hands-on demo and said if I needed to, I can call them. When they saw that I had an issue, although I didn't, they addressed it immediately. I would recommend though that when it goes to the top of the stairs, it should go further so a person getting off the chair should not feel them right at the edge of the step. When it pivots around, it should pivot a little bit more. The top of the steps is important and that would be helpful. Other than that, it's an excellent product. I have an elderly mother who needed to use the stairlift also, so the remote controls are a tremendous benefit.

Original review: June 8, 2019

The installation team of Stannah were very nice and polite. They were in and out. The installation went very fast and they cleaned up. They tested it, and it seemed to be fine. There was no issue with anything. We didn't have to take anything off the walls or anything like that. The installer said we have wider steps than most people, so he said that was really perfect for putting it in. It left enough room if somebody wants to walk up on the other side. I think my mother in-law will enjoy it once she gets out of the rehab.

Original review: June 7, 2019

We need a stairlift to live in our house. Our bathroom and bedroom are upstairs. We really felt that Stannah was a better product and they had better service. Our sales rep was terrific. He was really careful and he explained everything. He answered any questions we had and was available by phone. We got the Siena model which is the curved one. The installers were calm and friendly. They explained everything really carefully. There was no disruption about it. It was fine. With the stairlift, we don’t need to walk on a ton of stairs which is risky for us at this point. The stairlift is great. It's a little bumpy when it goes around the curve and the rail is kinda ugly but it works.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I looked on the internet and Stannah Stairlifts seemed to have the best reputation. My husband was in the hospital at the time and when I called, they were there within two days. I called on a Tuesday and the reps were there within two days. Then, I asked if they could put it in right away and they were able to come. They came on Thursday and put it in the following Monday. Two gentlemen came and they were here for a couple of hours. One was an intern and the other gentleman was explaining everything to him. They also explained and showed us everything. They answered any questions that we had.

The stair lift is at the top of the stairs and because of that, we don’t have the wraparound. So, the chair is sitting above the top step or above the second step. My husband is getting a little difficulty getting into the chair though because he is handicapped so, I was gonna call them to find out if they can move it up a little bit further. My husband doesn't have the confidence yet getting into it because he can't see it. So, when he's sitting down, it's a leap of faith. But the stairlift has been great and from what I’ve heard, what we got is better than what some other people had with Acorn or some of those other places. We like it and we would recommend Stannah.

Original review: May 23, 2019

We got a Stannah stairlift for a family member, and it has been helpful. It’s doing what it’s supposed to do, so we're very happy with it. It’s of very good quality too. I researched the product and looked at two companies, and Stannah was the best. We're very satisfied. Their sales rep was also very good.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Stannah Stairlifts looked like a quality item when I did comparison shopping with the other popular brand, the Acorn. Stannah was much better-detailed and pleasant-looking than the Acorn. Every part was quality all the way through. Their rep also knows his business. I went and visited the showroom, and they were very cordial and nice. My wife and I picked out the model that we wanted, and the rest of it was all just making the business arrangements. The installers were also quite good. If you’re tired in your feet and you don’t wanna take those 15 stairs, you jump on the stair lift. I like it. It works out very well on my stairway, because I have an extra-wide stairway. Stannah is a nice option when you need it. They really work very well.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I needed a stairlift that would go from the second floor all the way to the bottom floor without stopping and doing stairs. Stannah gave me the best quote and I liked their ideas of how to do it. The stairlift looks very nice and it is very nice. The thing that stands out to us is the stairlift doesn’t stop at the place where I had stairs before and that I had to walk across a little area to the next stairs. The stairlift is there for me.

Original review: May 20, 2019

The stairlift is a good thing and I'll tell more people about it. I purchased it for my wife because she's got MS. She can't walk. And my experience with Stannah was very good. The sales rep was a cool and very nice guy. He was top-shelf. He explained everything perfectly and I was impressed with the way he spoke and how he was. The installer was very good too. He was a gentleman. He came in and was good, nice and very polite. He knew his job and was neat. He did a good job. It was nice and sturdy, and the stairlift is a very nice thing. He spent time with me and my wife there, showing her how it is. She was all confused because she's getting old. She said she didn't want it but he told her that she would love it and she found out. She does love it now. She won't have to go crawling up the stairs and it's very convenient because she can get off easy with it. We can get out and into her bedroom. It does the job and it's very handy.

Original review: May 19, 2019

Stannah Stairlifts had gotten good reviews and that's why my husband went with it. It didn't hurt that there was a coupon in our Clipper magazine. The gentleman who explained about the stairlift was lovely and very personable. He was knowledgeable and easy going... the whole nine yards. My 93-year-old mother-in-law moved in with me and she dreaded going up and down the stairs. Now, she just pops on her stairlift and up she goes. The Stannah stairlift has been perfect. It seems well-made. We've had no issues with it. It works just fine and it's quite easy. It is well worth it.

Original review: May 18, 2019

My wife has a problem navigating the stairs. We’ve had the initial Stannah stairlift for several years and I just added a second one outside to help her get out of the house. The second one I got is curved. It’s tailored to the stair configuration. Everything was very good during the sales and setup process. I get the yearly service contract and I’m a very satisfied customer. I live in a condominium and the community is getting older and older. There are stairs, so any opportunity that I have, I always say that Stannah is very excellent. They give me a couple hundred bucks if somebody else uses them.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I was quite sick and I had a very difficult time climbing the stairs to get to the second floor. I saw Stannah's ad in the Yankee Magazine and Ibought their curved stairlift. Their installation crew was excellent and the stairlift made it a little bit more convenient and easier for me to get to the second floor. The quality is also good but the cost is very high.

Original review: May 16, 2019

My father needed a stairlift and we got it from Stannah because it had an automatic lift on the rail. I was asking for a little negotiation on the price and the guy wouldn't budge at all. I paid a little more than I wanted to pay. But the installer was very good, very personable and took his time to assist my father on how the mechanics of the chair work. My father enjoys the stairlift and we got peace of mind.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My husband has MS and he's having a hard time climbing the stairs. I live in Hopkinton and Stannah used to be here. They told me what my options were. But I have special stairs that are curved so there was only one particular option I could use. The stairlift had to be specially built so that was fine. The installers were very professional. They showed me how to use the stairlift and went over everything. We've been using it and my husband likes that it's there.

Original review: May 14, 2019

We checked another provider first because it does more advertising in the publications that we look at. But they could not put the stairlift in so we checked with Stannah. They were actually recommended by the first company and Tony was absolutely spectacular. He's a larger than life kind of a personality. He's also very efficient and we felt comfortable with him right from the very beginning.

The house is an old one and the stairway is very narrow. We had to pull out a molding of the door going upstairs and we had to put an electrical outlet that was convenient. But those were the only modifications that we had to make for the stairlift. It's curved and indoors, and in terms of installation, everything was excellent. They said they were coming at 10:00 and they were here at 10:15. They were also very neat and efficient. They had the schematic for how it was gonna go, and it was perfect. They explained everything to us and they ran it through with us before they left. The stairlift is very smooth and easy to operate. It's also a lot faster than I expected it was gonna be, not that it was speedy fast but I expected it to kinda lumber up the stairs and it doesn’t. I even recommended Stannah to a cousin of mine.

Original review: May 13, 2019

The salesperson from Stannah seemed a little bit more with the stairlift. He knew a little bit about the history, that they were European. I had been looking into elevators and people don't seem to think you want an elevator in a residential home. And I just wasn't having much luck with getting that done. So, went to Stannah which was easier though not as attractive. The stairlifts are not things of beauty but they serve a purpose, and that's what we had to go with. I would never choose to have one if I had a choice, but I didn't. We couldn't get the elevator and this was the only substitute that we were aware of.

We have one that we bought about two and a half years ago which is the curved one and it's much more heavy duty. Then my husband had difficulty getting around so we put in the second one which is a straight lift. We bought the first stairlift with Laser Assistance and that went extremely well and was very specific. However, I'm not at all comfortable with the one that we had on the straight lift. I don't have a real good reason to bring them back, but it seems to go slower and I didn't get the feeling that the people that installed it were as sharp as the previous ones. The installation just wasn't as smooth as the first time.

But the sales team was very pleasant. I didn't think they were lacking in anything. They had probably worked in a physical sense before they became salespeople. They put the lifts in at one point and had graduated to a sales position. Having the Stannah stairlifts, we're able to get up and down the stairs without much trouble and that's what we wanted. The stairlifts are accomplishing that. It's one of those things where it's a solution to a problem that doesn't have a lot of solutions.

Original review: May 12, 2019

We got a stairlift for my mother from Stannah. The sales visit was straightforward. It wasn't too pushy. The lift fits our stairs pretty well. But one thing my dad didn't like about it was that at the top it has the power turn. So, the chair turns at the top. But at the bottom, it doesn't turn. It's just flat. It would just be better if it did it at both. Other than that, the installation went pretty well. It just took one day.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I've had a stairlift for my wife for years when I was in New Hampshire. I had both of my knees replaced and I got to the point where I'm in a house with 12 steps going down to the basement and it got rough going up and down. I got the Stannah stairlift to make it much easier to get up and down those steps. I had quotes from Stannah's competitors and they were outrageous. When I found that I could get a used stairlift from Stannah with the warranty on it, I decided to go with them. My daughter and son-in-law said the same thing.

The salesman that I got the stairlift from was very professional and knowledgeable. He answered all my questions. I was also told when the installers would be here. Both of the installers were very nice, knowledgeable, and pleasant. They were here on time and they never wasted any of that time to install the stairlift. They were at it the whole time until the job was completely finished.

The only thing was when they installed the stairlift, they were going to give a wrench for the machine which, in case it stalls, I could crank it up. They showed me where it went and how to use it. But at the end, that never happened so I'm still waiting. I called the salesman that I bought the stairlift from and he said that he would be in contact with the installers for them to come back but I haven't heard from them since. It's been two months since we talked. I understand there's an inspection coming up in six months. Maybe they thought at that time that that's what would happen then. But I think the wrench was just an oversight that they just forgot about.

I had the curved stairlift installed. It's nice and quiet. I really enjoy it. My daughter and my son-in-law couldn't believe the way it goes down. It goes down to a certain point then makes it curve then goes down the rest of the way. It's a good product so I'm really pleased with it. The key thing that I really liked was how it completely fits in the narrow hallway. It takes up the whole space which is nice. It's just easy to get on and off the stairlift which I really enjoy. It fits right up to my basement door. The installers put a lock on it so that if by accident I got my leg in between the door and the stairlift, the door would open automatic. That was a good safety feature. It was one thing that I hadn't counted on and had not seen before. I would recommend Stannah to anybody that would like to see it and try it. I think they'd be well pleased with it.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We had Stannah installed for my mother-in-law. We decided based on the price and the service was quick responding to my needs, so it was good. The fellow, Edwin, came once and then I dealt with him over the phone several times. He was in and out quickly. He assessed the area that needed a lift and everything went smoothly. The installation team was great. They were quick, thorough, and went over everything. They were very professional. We got a total of four lifts and they work perfectly. It's not in the way and it's made very well. It's sturdy and it doesn't look chimsy. My mother-in-law likes how when you lift up the arm, everything goes up and down at one time. She's able to control it on her own, at her own pace, and she's overall happy with it.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I have increasing mobility issues, especially with stairs, and Stannah convinced us that they had a good product. Somebody came twice, showed us what the stairchair would look like, and gave us an estimate, and then we spoke with other providers. Stannah came back, gave us options that were a little cheaper, including a refurbished chair, and we chose that. After the salesperson made his proposal and we’d accepted, we got a call from Stannah. They wanted to impress upon us that the staircase is quite narrow and that they wanted to make sure that it would all work, which it had so far. When the installers came, we welcomed them and showed them where the stairchair was going to go, and then we had some appointments we had to get to and we were out of the house, so they were working on their own most of the time.

We came home to a clean house and we have no complaints. Our stair goes up to a curve, so it ends up going up straight for most of the stairway and it curves to the right. It functions as advertised. We just had to get used to it for a bit. For example, if you leave it in a situation where it isn't exactly ready to go, if you're on the bottom of the stairs and at the top of the stairs it's not set up right, then you can't retrieve it. So, we just have to learn what those situations were. We've had it for three weeks and we're well used to it. We would definitely recommend Stannah to our friends.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Our son is disabled, so we needed a stairlift for our home. I had no idea about it, so I tried several in order to get an idea of what was the proper one. It was very nice that we were able to try out both the competitors' and the Stannah stairlift in their showroom. That made all the difference. The Stannah rep was knowledgeable and he did a better job presenting than the other folks we had. We bought the unit through the Home Modification Loan Program, so we worked with two different agencies, and dealing with both at the same time was a little tricky.

Stannah, by themselves, was fine and even though we have a couple minor things, for the most part, we’re happy with the purchase. Now, it’s easier to transport our son up and downstairs. The quality of the straight chairlift is good and it doesn’t take up too much room. It’s quiet compared to some of the other competitors and we’re pleased with it. We’re also really pleased with the way the installer did the power cable. That was very neat. He took a while, but he did a good job.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Michael for your review. We are glad to hear your stairlift has made it easier to transport your son up and downstairs. We really appreciate receiving feedback on how Stannah stairlifts are positively impacting customers' lives.

The Stannah Team

Stannah Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Stannah is a stairlift designer and manufacturer founded in 1867. The family-owned company aims to help people stay as independent as possible by providing their customers with high-quality and customizable stairlifts. It also provides safety testing and installation.

• Focus on safety: The stairlifts are tested for safety at various points in the design and manufacturing process.

• Installation: Stannah installers deliver and install stairs in a professional and attentive manner. They test the lifts, help consumers understand how to operate them and clean up after themselves.

• In-person support: Stannah technicians in the United States and Canada can provide in-person help after installation.

• Telephone support: Customer service representatives are available through the phone seven days a week around the clock. Consumers can call a toll-free number to arrange a free home assessment, no strings attached.

• Flexible designs: Stannah designs enable users to carry grocery or laundry bags, as well as fit with existing decorative patterns. They can also be folded for easy storage when they are not in use.

• Fits various needs: Stannah offers rental stairlifts for short-term use, and the company's stairlifts work in wide, straight, curved and narrow staircases.

• Best for: people who can't walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Stannah Stairlifts questions and answers

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person centered approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
How does your company measure success?
Our Company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last 5 years?
We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do, and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
Has Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
How has Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the Lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information