4.77/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

137 Stannah Stairlifts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I got my mother a stairlift and went with Stannah Stairlifts on the hospital’s recommendation. The sales guy that came to the house was super nice, as was everybody. The installer was great and my mother loved him. The stairlift makes my mother feel independent again and now I don't have to worry about her so much.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have a medical condition wherein I can’t go up and down the stairs. I went with Stannah Stairlifts because of the warranty. Their rep came out and ran over the difference between buying a new and used stairlift. Because I’m still young, he recommended us buying a new one. He understood my medical needs and got me exactly what I needed. The installer showed me how to use the stairlift. The stairlift helps. I feel safer going up and down the stairs especially if nobody’s home. Everything went smoothly with Stannah Stairlifts and I would recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I liked the way Stannah Stairlifts presented it. Their sales rep, Barbara, was perfect. She explained everything thoroughly. The chair works very well and it looks better than some of the others. Somehow down the house, it’s a little more trusty-looking and it works great. I like the way it swerves when you get to the top of the step. It’s very comfortable. My husband used it only once before he passed but my mother can’t quaint steps out and it helps. It made life a lot easier.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

The sales rep from Stannah Stairlifts did a good job explaining how the chair works and in selling the features of the different models. It's expensive but we got it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The interaction with the sales team and the installation of the Stannah stairlift were very good. I like that it takes me up and down. The overall experience with the stairlift was good and it made my life a lot easier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

For a while, my wife was getting so frustrated because she couldn't even go up and down the stairs manually or out in the front of the house anymore, mainly because of her leg that’s bone on bone. So, I got Stannah stairlift so she can lay downstairs and do the laundry. She will fold the laundry if she's feeling up to it and then leaves it there and then I carry it up and put it away when I get home. I am so happy that the way Stannah works for my wife makes my life a lot easier, big time. It makes her feel she's still contributing to the house. This has given her a lot more freedom. She's even used the lift to go downstairs and then using her walker to go for a walk outside in the driveway which she could never do before unless I was with her. Stannah’s really been awesome.

I wanted to call and give kudos to the young gentleman who installed the stairlift. My wife is very, very particular about messes and keeping the rug clean and she was thrilled with the installer. He was absolutely excellent, very nice to talk to and explained everything in very good detail. My wife was not a mechanically inclined person but he really talked to her to read basics so that she knew and understood the product.

We checked Stannah online and then we checked some other brands. When we were originally looking into buying Stannah, an older gentleman was very forthcoming with information that he was just so pleasant to talk to. Everybody at Stannah knows who the guy is. He also explained to us that they show other products that we can check out at the shop. That was one of the main things that sold me because we made an appointment later to go down to the place which is not that far away from my house. We went to the store three times and the three-different people whom we interacted with were all extremely pleasant. The place is very, very nice and clean. Although, they need to put a sign out on the main drive road.

We checked them out and went into the first showroom. One young lady from the front desk came in and showed us all the Stanley products. Finally, I said, “Well, I was told that you also have your competitors that you can view.” She goes, "Oh yeah, that's over in the next room?" I told her I’d like to check it out. So, I went to the next room. I was going through the different ones and checking them out. There was one that we couldn't even try because it's on recall. Then there was another one that was half the price of Stannah and I just grabbed the chair and shook it a little bit and the whole thing wobbled like no tomorrow. My wife's not a slender lady, she's over 200 pounds and if it can't hold the weight then it's going to feel rickety and we’re not going to feel comfortable. I'm an electrician by trade but I'm also a person that repairs just about anything and everything.

I looked the others over and I could tell that two of the other ones will be wobbly because the material that is the main guide was so thin that it's not going to be rigid. So, it was easy for me to figure out which one would be best to do. And we went back to the front room and we picked the one that we wanted and went over the options.

My wife has bad knees and so we picked the one that would swing out so that she can just put her feet down, stand up and she's all set. And when we’re done with the chair, we turn it back to go down position. She lifts up the first arm and then the left arm has the on and off switch and to get to that she has to reach over the chair which puts her body weight partially on the chair in order to reach it. And that was why I wanted the swivel in order to turn so she could just stand up because I didn't want her to get off sideways and her reaching over to shut off that switch is just as dangerous. If they could put the switch on either handle then it doesn't matter if it's set up for a lefty door or a righty door. Other than that, I think Stannah is a great system. I've already contacted a few people that I know and I told them if they were looking for stairlifts, they should definitely go with Stannah Stairlifts.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

We went to Stannah’s main office right in my neighborhood and we liked it. We didn’t even look at anything else and simply went with it. My mother-in-law has the stairlift and we got one for my mother who’s 94. It’s an outside unit because she could no longer go up and down the steps. She fell back in July and became afraid of falling down the steps. With Stannah I like that she’s able to leave the house again. It was great dealing with them. The installation was perfect. They were on time, quick, and efficient.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I saw that Stannah was a popular and respected chair from the research I had done and it also made a difference that their offices aren't that far from Dover. My dealing with their sales team was a large positive but it was hard for me to keep track of who was who. There were a bunch of different people on the phone and some of them came to my home. It seemed like there were a lot of different moving parts and I'm certainly satisfied with the lift now. The installation team was efficient and effective, and I was delighted that the stairlift was installed promptly. It does what I want it to do and I don't have to struggle to go upstairs in my home.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I am having major issues with a Stairlift I have purchased from Stannah for $12,000. Chair was installed September, 19th... And since the technicians have been here 7 times to remedy the situation without satisfaction. I have no issues with Handicare, the stairlift installer, and maintenance company. They worked very hard installing the chairlift, and changing, and swapping out parts on the chair.

As per Mrs. ** feedback on 8/02/17 from Woonsocket, RI... Seems we are having the same consistency problems with the operation of the chairlift. As well as Mr. **'s feedback on 06/12/17 from Connecticut. Operational issues that are causing my purchase of the Stairlift to not operate consistently. Seems the installers, Handicare are doing their jobs to correct this situation, I feel it's time Stannah, the manufacturer man up, and do the right thing. My 87 year old father would appreciate a properly operating chair that would bring him downstairs, or up. We missed a doctor's appointment already messing with this chairlift.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hi Mr. Miller,

We understand your frustration and we're sorry about the issue your father has been having with his stairlift. While your situation is atypical, we're focused on making it right. By now, you should have received confirmation that we will be completely replacing the chair and motor, so you should no longer have an issue. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused and we hope that your father enjoys the full benefits of his stairlift going forward.

Sincerely,

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Stannah Stairlifts was the company that I knew of to be honest and the experience had been really great and easy from start to finish. We had the installation done twice and the process was really simple. One was to upgrade and one was because I have an 83-year-old and a three-year-old baby and we accidentally triggered the safety. We actually had our installer back and that morning, we had to go out last minute but he came in and was superb. We use the stairlift once every three days to get her up. It’s for her shower so it’s not a daily thing but she wouldn’t be able to be here without it. The fact that I can disable and re-enable it easily by taking the key out and hiding it is my favorite feature.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

At the nursing home, they gave me a listing of stairlifts and I looked it up on the internet and I felt that Stannah Stairlifts was one of the best-rated. The gentleman that sold the stairlift to me was very thorough. He was very polite, and I didn’t feel any pressure. One man came to install it, and he showed me how to work it going up and down about three times. He knew I’ve never done it before so he was very patient with me. I’ve been using the stairlift and I would recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I did a research on Stannah Stairlifts, and I spoke with one of their salesmen who was knowledgeable about their product. He helped me choose the right stairlift for our needs. The installation team was great. They were courteous and cleaned up after themselves. The stairlift has made it much easier to get my daughter up and down the stairs. Stannah is a great company with a great product.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Stannah had the most to offer and their stairlift had an automatic piece at the top. It also had a seatbelt and a footrest and it was easy to go up and down with the chair. It was, all in all, a much better product. It was more money, but you got what you paid for with it. The salesman that helped me pick the stairlift went through the whole thing, but he was very thorough. They've had a lot of experience and they've been around a long time. He said, "I know this is what you are going to buy." So, we were pretty sure when he left us, but we didn’t want to give him an answer then because we wanted to think about it. The stair is great and the young man that put it in was perfect. He was very professional and he didn’t make a mess. He was a very young guy, but this is all he does and he stayed with us a long time because we're both 83. I think he also stayed a little extra long to be sure we were sure of ourselves. He also went up and down with us enough. The Stannah team did a really good job and we couldn’t be happier.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Stannah only does stairlifts, and I have a friend who is very happy with hers. My interaction with the sales team was good and the installer was wonderful. I like that the stairlift is fully automatic and it improved daily life tremendously.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Stannah Stairlifts was referred by a family member. The sales visit was very good, and the representative was very informative. He was thorough in asking my husband why he needed a stairlift. I like that it is quiet, and my husband no longer dreads the stairs. I'd recommend it.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I'm very happy with Stannah. I went on Google when it was obvious that my husband needed help. I read the reviews and then I talked to a friend who’s an engineer, who knows a lot more about stairlifts than I do and he said that Stannah is the one to get so that’s the one I got. I called Stannah and they sent someone to measure my stairs. We live in a townhouse with two sets of stairs, 13 steps in each one so, the stairlift allowed us to stay where we wanted to stay and it had a lot of effect in our lives. They were easy to deal with and I had a positive experience. I thought it was going to be a big, clunky thing but it was much nicer looking than I thought it was going to be.

The sales rep gave me all the information I needed and he was very helpful. I had two stairlifts installed and they were easy to use but my husband needed help understanding it so the installers were patient and explained everything. One fellow was here for a couple of hours and the other one was here for the whole day. I called Stannah to tell them how helpful and wonderful the installers had been to a tough situation because my husband didn’t want it. I have told everybody if they need a stairlift Stannah is the way to go.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Stannah Stairlifts helped a lot with what I needed right now. Their prices were better over other stairlift providers. The sales team were nice. My interaction with the installation team was also very good.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Our previous stairlift was lent to us by a generous guy. It was a Stannah stairlift and he recommended us to the company. He said this is the one and we trusted him so we also bought our own stairlift. It's comfortable and smooth. But my husband was not satisfied that it was installed on the right-hand side where there is an original rail. He said it was supposed to be installed on the left and the sales rep should have recommended the right way to do it when he came over to our home. But he didn't so we wasted a half-foot of space. We can’t ask them to reinstall it because it's an expensive purchase. The one I had before was only $2,000 and this is triple the price. It's a good product though and my father likes it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I had gone online and did some comparison, and I felt that Stannah Stairlifts was the best. The sales visit was very good. The salesman was very polite and willing to help, and he took the time to answer my questions. I got the stairlift for my mother and it’s perfect for her in getting up and down the stairs. Everything seems fine as of the moment.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Stannah Stairlifts provided A plus service. Their salesperson was really good and their installation guy was fantastic. The one who uses the stairlift is comfortable and satisfied with it. It's helped her get up and down the stairs very easily. She needed two of them and everything is great.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I liked the service that Stannah provides. If something goes wrong, I know that they will be there in a timely manner. Some of the other stairlifts don’t have their own people to fix something and they sub out to subcontractors. I didn’t like that. If something goes wrong on Friday evening, I don’t want to have to wait for an appointment for the following week. I know that Stannah will be there either that night or Saturday. In addition to that, their salesperson was one of the best presenters I had. He was very professional, knew his product, and gave better insights. I also liked how he brought up others’ negatives with nothing specifically against another company and just putting little things in mind. Their installation team was great as well. Two gentlemen came in and put everything together. Everything was great and I would definitely recommend Stannah to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I did a lot of research online and spoke to numerous companies. I felt the most comfortable and safe dealing with Stannah. With the other ones, I felt like it was a runaround and there were hidden fees. I had a good visit from the Stannah reps too. As I did all the research, I already saw their video. The reps did their presentation, were very upfront and made it very clear so that there was an understanding of exactly what we were getting, what we were paying for and the cost, which was good. They were helpful with questions and helped with my mom's needs, even with the height of the stairlift as my mom is 4'11.

So far, we haven't had a problem with the stairlift and everything about it is great. I like the idea of being able to go up the steps without struggling. It's a very smooth ride and it's not noisy. If you're on another floor or if you're next door, you can't hear it. And even though Stannah stairlift is the most expensive out of all the other stairlifts, the quality and the service that you get top the price. My mom loves the stairlift and says that it's a lifesaver to her.

We recommended the stairlift to our neighbor who's 92. We're going through this trial period, we're renting it. And if this works, then we'll go for the second floor. There are a lot of people that are aging who have been here for 60 years. We aim to share by word of mouth because we're satisfied and I know they'll be satisfied too.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My mother's Stannah Stairlift is working out well, and she likes it very much. We're very happy with the service Stannah provided. We had an immediate need and they were very responsive. They were out the next day when I called and we had it installed. Their rep was awesome. He not only talked about the stairlift itself. He checked out where we're putting it. And there was a couple of other things that he noticed, just an extra step in the house and other things that he suggested just for added mobility.

It was just one guy that came to install the stairlift and he was awesome. It took about three hours, which I was surprised, which he said was standard. They have a lot to do and when he was done, he did a full walkthrough with my mother as far as the operation of it, and the safety features. The security of the stairlift is very solid, and it works very smoothly. There's no hard start and stop type thing. It has taken a lot of stress from my mother as it's given her a lot of security as far as not having to negotiate the stairs.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Stannah Stairlifts had very good reviews while the others we looked at either had reviews that weren’t very good or didn’t have an outdoor stairlift. So, Stannah was the best choice for us. Their rep, Jonathan, explained everything, treated us well and we liked him. The installation went very well too. I have very bad rheumatoid arthritis and with the stairlift, I don’t have to scream in pain anymore when I try to walk down the stairs and outside of the house. But I am a little concerned about the stairlift itself. It says it functions down to 14 degrees above zero, not 14 below, and it’s not always above 14 degrees here in Connecticut. So I want to know what happens when it gets below 14 degrees. All in all, we like them very much and so far, we’re happy with them. It was an excellent experience.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Stannah Stairlifts was recommended by a family member who used them in their grandmother's home. They also used them for other installments and residential installments and they were very pleased. Stannah was also $1000 cheaper than the other company that gave me an estimate. The man who installed our stairlift was absolutely wonderful. He explained everything and assured me that he wouldn't make a mess, and he didn't. He had a lot of patience showing me how to work the unit and he was very reassuring that if we need them, they'll be there for us. I would highly recommend Stannah. The stairlift serves its purpose and I am very pleased.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have two staircases which I still use and I don’t want to lose the ability to go up the stairs so I was holding on and going very slowly. An ad about Stannah Stairlifts appealed to me. The feature that my daughter showed me was that I can put a bundle of laundry on my lap and either go down or up with the stairlift instead of walking on the steps. It’s a fun thing and I’m very pleased with it. Both the rep and the installer knew what they were doing because the stairlift is working very well especially when I feel tired.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Stannah Stairlifts was considered one of the best so we ordered from them. Their sales rep who came by was very friendly and professional. Their installer was very good as well. We have the stairlift for three weeks now and so far, it's been perfect. It's for my mother who is 94 years old and she is learning how to use it. I’m happy with our experience with this company and I’d recommend them. They were helpful and they made the transaction very easy.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We had three companies out and the seller from Stannah was the most well-versed in what we needed. He understood building and electrical codes and made us more hopeful that they were going to do an expert job with the installation. When you’re dealing with health products for the elderly, you want to make sure you have the best and Stannah Stairlifts struck us as the best. They also had a lot of options that made it easy for us to make the decision to go with them. As the homeowner, I liked that the the installation went very smoothly and only took a half day. None of our time was tied up and the installers were did a professional and clean job. We appreciate the ease of use of the stairlift since we're dealing with an 87-year-old who learned how to use it in about half an hour. Stannah Stairlifts did a great job and sell a great product. We’re very happy with them and I’ve recommended them to my mother who also needed a chairlift.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I had quotes for stairlift from four companies with the best reviews and Stannah Stairlifts gave the best quote. The visit I had from their sales was on time and very personal. It wasn’t just about business, it’s more about connecting with the person who needs the stairlift, talking to them about their needs and position. And the Stannah people will not try to upsell their client. They had three types of chairs and after we told them about the needs they said the bottom chair was more than enough versus other dealers for other companies who will try to make as much money as possible. People who come out and meet with the clients are not third parties, they’re Stannah’s own people. They’re not driven to sell the most expensive one. They’re driven to sell to what is the client’s requirement.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We had a Stannah stairlift when my wife had an operation on her knee. It worked really good, so we decided to talk to them about doing one at my mother’s house in Worcester. And since they are a Massachusetts company, it made it easy to make that decision. The salesman was fabulous. He spoke to my mother in a non-condescending way, and my mother’s 97. He treated her very nicely, and he asked my sister and I questions about what to do. He did a great job of measuring the stairway and he took photographs that he could use on the computer. Everyone I’ve dealt with at Stannah has been exceptional. The installation people were great. Once again, they explained everything to my mother, me and my sister, and then they gave us a phone number in case something happened. And there was a circuit board failure and they were out to fix it the next day. So, it was great.

They’ve got all the information in photographs, but it would be extremely helpful for someone like my mother if it just said, “Sit in the chair. Put on the seatbelt. Press this button to turn it on." But I like the stairlift's ease of use for my mother. She uses it by herself and it’s great. The stairlift is a great product, and Stannah did a great job.

Stannah Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Stannah is a stairlift designer and manufacturer founded in 1867. The family-owned company aims to help people stay as independent as possible by providing their customers with high-quality and customizable stairlifts. It also provides safety testing and installation.

• Focus on safety: The stairlifts are tested for safety at various points in the design and manufacturing process.

• Installation: Stannah installers deliver and install stairs in a professional and attentive manner. They test the lifts, help consumers understand how to operate them and clean up after themselves.

• In-person support: Stannah technicians in the United States and Canada can provide in-person help after installation.

• Telephone support: Customer service representatives are available through the phone seven days a week around the clock. Consumers can call a toll-free number to arrange a free home assessment, no strings attached.

• Flexible designs: Stannah designs enable users to carry grocery or laundry bags, as well as fit with existing decorative patterns. They can also be folded for easy storage when they are not in use.

• Fits various needs: Stannah offers rental stairlifts for short-term use, and the company's stairlifts work in wide, straight, curved and narrow staircases.

• Best for: people who can't walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Stannah Stairlifts questions and answers

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person centered approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
How does your company measure success?
Our Company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last 5 years?
We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do, and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
Has Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
How has Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the Lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information