4.8/5 (214 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Stannah Stairlifts

Stannah Stairlifts provides stair lifts to customers throughout the U.S. and Canada to help them stay mobile and independent as they age in place. Its offerings include straight, curved and outdoor stair lift models. Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and -operated company since it was founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867.

Pros

• Straight, curved and outdoor designs
    • Rental option
    • Special model for limited flexibility

Cons

• Some options vary by dealer
    • No weight limits over 350 pounds

Bottom Line

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of its clients. Multiple models can work on both straight and curved staircases, and the Sadler can accommodate people that have trouble sitting.

Top Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The sales rep came out and explained all the different prices, and the different options of rental, buy, and used units. He gave me a price quote and different options of payment....

Verified

I had contacted Stannah and we coordinated a time. The sales representative came right out. He was wonderful and very knowledgeable, friendly and professional. ... My father's ver...

Information from Stannah on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stannah is committed to the safety of its customers and employees. The company is offering free quotes through phone or video appointments to help you get the information you need without an in-person evaluation.

The company is doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe during the installation process. This includes following the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines, eliminating direct contact and utilizing protective gear to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Employees maintain a safe distance during the installation process and thoroughly wipe down your new stair lift after installation. The company has also transitioned into using digital documents over paper.

In addition to these guidelines, Stannah is ensuring any employee exposed to COVID-19 or who is showing symptoms or feeling unwell stays home and self-quarantines.

What is Stannah Stairlifts?

Stannah Stairlifts is a company offering stair lifts in all 50 states and internationally. It sells straight and curved stair lifts for both indoor and outdoor use.

Stannah has over 150 years of experience with making people’s lives easier and giving them back their independence. Its team has won nine industry awards for its safety and health practices.

How does Stannah Stairlifts work?

With Stannah, you have the option to purchase, rent or rent to own a curved or straight stair lift, depending on your needs. For the most part, the right one for you depends on the shape of your staircase and the weight limit required.

Stannah’s purchase process starts with you getting a quote either online, over the phone or through an in-person consultation. If you decide to buy, Stannah will later install your stair lift for you.

You have the option to purchase directly from Stannah or from one of its authorized dealers. Dealers set their own prices and package options. In some cases, you may come out ahead through a dealer, while buying direct is a better option at other times.

Stannah stair lift models

Stannah offers the following models at the time of publishing:

• The Starla: The Starla is Stannah’s most customizable model — it comes in a range of upholsteries and light or dark wood trim. It also features a call button, which allows you to press a button and have the chair come to you, and safety sensors to keep the chair from running over obstructions or taking off before you’re fully seated.
    • The Siena: Stannah designed the Siena with space in mind. This compact model works well in narrow staircases, and its curved seat back helps keep riders comfortable. The armrests are slightly longer than ones in other models for added support, and the seat is also slightly wider. A retractable seat belt fits into the arms of the chair.
    • The Sadler: The Sadler model is designed for people with limited flexibility. It’s a stand-up chair meant to be leaned against, so there isn’t as much weight on your back, hips and knees. The seat is height-adjustable for comfort and non-slip for extra safety. It also produces gentle support beneath the cushion when you sit down and straightens your back by tilting up slightly when you stand up.
    • The Scout: The Scout is Stannah’s economy model. Because it has a slim profile, it’s good for narrow areas like basement stairs, and it has an anti-slip footrest. You can adjust the seat height as well. Safety sensors stop the lift if it detects an obstruction on the staircase.
    • The Outdoor Stairlift: This model is designed to be used outside and withstand the elements. Its seat is made from UV-resistant plastic, and the entire model is weather-resistant. The Outdoor Stairlift can operate in temperatures from 14 to 105 degrees. It also comes with a protective cover and a removable key for added security.
    ModelGood forWeight capacityStandout feature
    StarlaCustomization350 pounds (straight) or 300 pounds (curved)Multiple upholstery and rail options
    SienaNarrow stairs350 pounds (straight) or 300 pounds (curved)Compact design
    SadlerPeople with limited flexibility300 poundsStand-up seat
    ScoutSmaller budgets300 poundsLow price
    OutdoorOutdoor use300 poundsWeather resistance

Stannah Stairlifts cost

Stannah doesn’t publish its prices online, so you’ll have to get a quote from the company for exact pricing. You can get a quote by having a Stannah representative come out to your home, calling the company or answering some questions on Stannah’s website. These quotes include the cost of installation.

Stannah does publish some general pricing info you can use as a guideline, though. According to Stannah, you can expect a straight staircase stair lift to cost anywhere from $3,400 to $5,500, with most purchases in the $3,500 to $5,000 range. Curved staircase stair lifts cost between $8,500 and $14,000.

These prices may be intimidating, but financing options are available. If you only need a stair lift for a limited time, consider a rental.

Stannah Stairlifts FAQ

Where are Stannah Stairlifts available?
    There are authorized Stannah Stairlifts dealers in all 50 states. You can check out a full list of these dealers on its website.
    Does Stannah Stairlifts offer a warranty?
    Yes. If you buy directly from Stannah Stairlifts, you receive a warranty that covers things like on-call service, critical component coverage and part replacement.

If you buy a stair lift from one of its authorized dealers, it will likely also come with a warranty, but it will differ from dealer to dealer on what that coverage entails.

Does Stannah Stairlifts offer installation services?
    Yes. When buying directly from Stannah, the cost of installation is included in the quote. This installation takes about four hours total and includes setup and cleanup. If you buy from a dealer, installation details can vary.
    Can I buy a Stannah stair lift directly from its site?
    Yes. While this won’t allow you to see the stair lift in person, it does come with the company’s standard benefits, like a warranty and installation.
    Can I rent a stair lift from Stannah?
    Yes, Stannah offers rental stair lifts. These are a great option for people who are recovering from surgery or providing caretaker services to a loved one for a short period of time. Six months is the standard rental period, but customers also have a rent-to-own option as well.

Do we recommend Stannah Stairlifts?

Stannah stair lifts are a good option for people looking to age in place and maintain their independence at home. Stannah has a wide range of stair lifts that cater to a variety of needs, whether you want a basic model, a model loaded with features or a model for those with more extensive mobility issues. Just keep in mind that some features and services aren’t the same if you buy direct or from a dealer, and some may differ from dealer to dealer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: July 4, 2022

Stannah's sales rep and installation team were very professional, pleasant and easy to talk to. I had no idea that the work could be completed so quickly. The stairlift failed a couple of times, but by reading their little booklet and by understanding how it works a bit, I was able to get it going without calling anybody. It's worked perfectly the last few days. The only thing is the way it's marketed. I was not told that there was an additional thing I could do for quite a bit of money. It's $500, which automates the turning of the device when it reaches either the top or the bottom. It was not mentioned from the start. The saleswoman who came out did not say anything about it whatsoever. We discovered it.

When the installers put the product in, the stairs are a little narrow. So, if it gets to the bottom of the stairs and I have to get out or it leaves me without it turning, it's awkward and uncomfortable. I was told, at that point, by the two guys that were installing it that they had a fix for that and it is $500. I felt that that was a little bit of a scam and that I should have been told about that as part of the original package. I also had to contact the saleswoman about something in connection with the job, and a couple of times when I tried to reach her and left a message, I did not get a call back one time. Other than that, I had it done and I'm very pleased with the result.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mr. Krueger for your feedback. We are sorry if there was any miscommunication about the powered swivel. This is a key optional feature we advertise regularly online and in print media. It was certainly not our intention to hide this information from you or anyone else. Otherwise, we're glad to hear your stairlift is working well and you are satisfied with it. If you have any additional concerns regarding your installation please reach out to our service department: 1-888-272-4327.

The Stannah Team

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Stannah Stairlifts was local. They responded almost immediately. And within a couple of weeks, the chair was installed. The salesperson was here and talked to us about the chair, how it would fit and measured. Two weeks later, a gentleman named Wayne came and installed. It took him four hours because he was meticulous about everything. In between, we have to have an electrician come in and put an extra outlet in close to where we needed it done. And we might need to call him back for a bit of an adjustment.

We had to take out one piece of a handrail, which is a bit difficult for me when I'm traversing the stairs after having gotten used to having a handrail on both sides. But it's only seven stairs, and two stairs where there is a missing handrail for me, because I can use a counter at the top in order to maneuver. So, taking that piece of rail out has not been beneficial to me as a non-user of the stair at this point. But since I'm looking toward potential knee replacement surgery, I may have to use the stairlift anyway.

One thing that is annoying is the fact that it beeps when it goes down to the lower level and is sitting there for a while. On occasion though, it will turn itself off for a bit then it turns itself back on. That is more annoying than anything else because for me to bypass this thing, I have to lift the arms up a bit because it takes up a little space. And it really needs to be down at its lowest level in order for me to more easily use the stairway when it is not in use. My husband uses it, but he has to send the chair back down to the lower level for me to go back up the stairs. We're getting used to it. But the stairway is a traditional tract home, so it's not a very wide stair. Also, my husband doesn't use the foot rest. He has trouble lifting his legs and letting his feet dangle as opposed to putting them on the foot rest is easier for him to maneuver than using the foot rest. Other than that, it seems to be working fine.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Kathryn for sharing your experience. We're glad your stairlift is working well and providing a safe and comfortable way for your husband to get up and downstairs. The retractable rail will beep to let you know it is not charging in the down position. We're glad to hear you are getting used to your new stairlift and it's safety features.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

The sales rep from Stannah was very nice and informative. He came out while my mom was still in the hospital and I met him with my dad. He chatted with us about what was going on with my mom and what we were looking for as far as what she would need. Then my dad had a little conversation about older cars so it was nice to have that little bit of the personal connection with him. The guy who came out to install the stairlift was amazing as well. He was very courteous, professional and helpful. After he was done installing it, he stayed with us to make sure that my husband and I knew how to work it, where the battery was and general maintenance that the person whose house it is in could do. He made sure my mom knew how to use it and that she was comfortable in it. He was very nice and knowledgeable. So, we enjoyed every step that we had to go through to get it.

My mother loves the stairlift. She was so excited to be able to go upstairs again and to be able to take a shower because her bathroom is upstairs. She was excited to be able to start using her toilet again because she had a commode downstairs since she couldn't get up the stairs. She was excited to be able to take care of her cat. The experience with Stannah was very pleasant. Everybody that I spoke to or interacted with was very helpful and answered any questions that came up to the best of their ability. If they didn't have the answer, they got me the answer as soon as they could.

If we ever need another chairlift, I would definitely go with Stannah again. My dad was talking with the sales rep who came out about looking into one for his house. My parents are divorced and they literally live eight houses apart but the way my dad's house is set up, his living quarters are upstairs. You go in his front door and you have a door to go into the back part of his basement, and then you have a door to go into his garage. Then you go up the stairs and his actual house is upstairs where he lives. He battled cancer and he is in remission but he is getting older and things are getting a little bit harder for him. Because he also has COPD. So he was talking to the guy about, when the time comes, maybe going with Stannah for himself.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Ms. S for your 5-star Stannah Stairlifts review! We're so glad to hear that your mother loves her new Stannah stairlift and is so excited to get back to doing the things she loves and needs to do. When your dad is ready we'll be here to answer all his questions and provide the same level of service!

The Stannah Team

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

One of my neighbors had a Stannah stairlift so I was able to review it there and she raved about it. And I liked the construction when I was over at her house. Both the installer and salesperson were good. And one thing that I liked about what the salesperson said, that you could go to any of their showrooms and they have the competitor’s stairlift to compare theirs to. I like this one because it was made in America. The construction and engineering looks good. I like those safety features and the remote control options. I have a very wide staircase and the stairlift fits well.

My carpet cleaner came in yesterday and he was very impressed with it. And I gave him a demo. We had two visitors in today and they saw it, and they were impressed, too. I told them mine was quasi-simple because it's straight. You go up and down. There are no curves. The only thing I had which would cause a bit of a problem was at the bottom. It's in front of an exit door. But that was taken care of. So it was a bit more expensive because of that additional piece that needed to be added. And I have it wide open. There are no walls around it. The only wall that is around is on where they put the rail. But that's all glass. I was hesitant because I have a contemporary, and I was a little worried about how it would look. But the other thing that person said is if I'm done with it, I don't need it anymore, or for sale reasons if I have to sell the house and I have to pull it out, it can be pulled out and it won't show any problems that it was there.

I have one bad comment, and it's their pamphlets where it comes down to the part where you're picking your upholstery. The colors don't reflect what they look like in real life. The rep brought down the ivory. And he brought down the pan because those are the two I was interested in. But they don't look like what's in the folder and I would have picked the wrong color had I gone with just what was in Stannah's pamphlet. And the other thing that I was a bit concerned about is the railing that goes up and down, it comes in two colors. It's white and silver and bronze and silver. And I just not really noticed in Stannah's pamphlet, a real good close-up picture of just maybe two photos of what this is. This is a piece of what the bronze and white looks like, and here is a piece of what the silver and white looks like. That would have calmed me down a bit, too. Other than that, it's working out well.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

The ratings seemed to consistently demonstrate that Stannah was a high-quality product, and that nothing was outsourced and everything was done internally. It was not the cheapest, but it was the best value for the money. My parents were happy with the initial visit of the salesperson. I was present for that as well and there was a little bit of a lack of communication. We had an estimated install date. The salesperson told us that they would keep us posted if there were any delays. But we were not told by the salesperson that any further communication should go through the main office.

My dad and I had left voicemails for the salesperson looking for an update. We understood that COVID may delay things. We understood that the parts were being made in the UK and that there were certain things that are beyond anyone's control. But the salesperson did not return our calls and that was very concerning. If we're calling the wrong person, they should give us a call back and let us know who we should call. It was disappointing. It caused some undue and unnecessary concern that something may be going wrong here.

As we were approaching the install date, I thought somebody had to call us and confirm because somebody besides my parents needed to be there. Both my parents have some memory and hearing problems, and they get easily overwhelmed, so they prefer that one of us be there when things like the installation are happening. In the end, the installation itself went great. The two people who came out were lovely. They did everything in their power to be as undisruptive as possible and they were very nice to my parents.

My dad uses the stairlift more than my mother does and when she uses it, she gets him to coach her. I watched my mother and she gets a little panicky using it. Stannah could have a laminated simple step-by-step reminder of the steps to take each time you get in that chair. A laminated reminder that could easily be posted on the wall at each end would be a great benefit to elderly folks that are using it. The installers did teach my parents how to use it. But I watched them both today and they consistently forget to turn the power off when they were getting in and out of it. That's dangerous. They consistently get a couple of things out of order. I also caught my father not using the seatbelt. So the visual instructions would enhance safety and reduce anxiety. But overall, my parents are very pleased with the stairlift.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

We got a stairlift for my mother-in-law, and it's been fantastic. A lady did the install, showed us how it worked, what we had to do to take it up and down, and told us about the warranty. She was excellent. The stairlift's quality is very good as well.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Bob for your Stannah Stairlifts review. We're glad to hear you're happy with the quality of your stairlift and your installation experience.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

The chair was on the lower level. But I kept hearing ticking. I was wondering why it was ticking. When I pressed the button, I realized I could not move it. So, I called the service. When the guy came, he said the machine must always be up on top of the stairs. The guy did a good job. I did it so far and it’s good. I get the grip of it now. I’d recommend Stannah Stairlifts.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

The rep who came and did all the measurements explained every step of the way, everything we'd be doing. The installer was also great. He was on time, he told us everything he was doing and demonstrated how to use it. It was a very good experience. The Stannah stairlift is also very good. It's working great.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thanks Karen for your five-star Stannah Stairlifts review. We're glad you had an overall good experience.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

The Stannah Stairlift is a good product. I was a little disappointed in one thing, though. The technician had to take the whole thing apart when he was here to install one of the options that I had ordered. It added an hour to his time and that was okay. But the right and left handles would not snap in properly. Every once in a while, it would pop out. But I got them good now because they haven’t popped out in the last two weeks.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mike for sharing your feedback. If you have any issues with your stairlift, please don't hesitate to call our Service department at: 1-888-272-4327. Otherwise, we're glad your stairlift is equipped with the options you need.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

The Stannah rep that came out was very good. The stairlift does what it’s supposed to do. I wanted it all automatic so my wife didn't have to push anything. It's all operated by buttons. The chair turns around when it gets to the second floor 'cause the bathroom is right there once she gets to the second floor. It's also the perfect speed for her. She can operate it herself. We're very happy with it, so far. I'm very satisfied.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information