Call toll free
(844) 602-1938
4.83/5
Based on 311 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

343 Stannah Stairlifts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

I'm old and I was having a great deal of trouble getting up the outdoor steps to my front door every time I left the house, especially when I have to carry a bag of something inside from shopping. I did a web search and I was most impressed with Stannah Stairlifts. The salesman came and provided me with all the information that I needed. Then I selected a reconditioned outdoor chair and a week later, an installer came out and installed it. It took a long time because there was a good deal involved, like wiring and bush trimming. Plus, he did not put in the remotes that the salesman had told me I would get. So I called back and the installer came back and put the two remote controls on so I could send the chair up and down from wherever I am. The workmanship was done perfectly.

The installer was nice to me. He explained everything, gave me printed material about it and showed me how to use it. The stairlift does what it's supposed to do. I like that I can turn it to the side to get out with my cane and the fact that it goes up and down with a mere push of a button. Also, the seat and the foot can be raised so that all the weather doesn't hurt it and keep it wet. It impacted my life positively. I used to have almost everything delivered because I couldn't make it up the stairs if I had to carry anything in. I'd tell others that if they need one, they should get one. Even though it costs a fortune, it's definitely worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We're 91 years old and the Stannah stairlift makes it easier. We had a recommendation from a friend and everything went very smoothly. We got a straight stairlift and it's convenient to use. We're perfectly happy and we're satisfied.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My father is now living with me so I purchased a straight stairlift from Stannah and my experience with them was very good. I called and the person who came on explained all the products to me. When I was ready several months later, I called again to make the purchase. The process was very straightforward and there were no problems. The stairlift was delivered on time and everything was as promised. The installer was excellent as well. He came on the day he was supposed to come and spent a good part of the morning installing the product. He also explained the product and showed me how it worked before he left but it was self-explanatory too. And even though I don't have too much space, the stairlift fits well. It looks very nice and sturdy.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I purchased a Stannah Chair Lift 1/17. On Thursday, 5/31/18 the chair malfunctioned, since the labor warranty was up, I paid a $150 service repair fee. Handi-Lift Service Tech came that afternoon. On Saturday 6/2/18, the chair had the same failure. Handi-Lift stated that they do not have emergency service, and if we waited until Monday or Tuesday they would repair at no fee, otherwise we needed to pay $350. We opted to pay the $350 as we needed to get to bedroom/bathroom and couldn't stay downstairs for 3 days. I figured I would call Monday and get the fee reversed. THEY REFUSED!!! I now paid $500 for a repair that should have cost $150, as well as the anxiety of being stuck on the chair and a loss of confidence in the chairlift itself. Handi-Lift's motto is "Accessibility with Dignity". They need to amend that to "Monday to Friday, 9 to 5 only. Evenings and Weekends are at your own risk."

Original review: June 2, 2018

My parents are having difficulties walking and their house is set up where you need stairs to get out of the house. So a chairlift was pretty much mandatory based on their physical condition. We looked at Stannah, A1A Mobility and Acorn. Doug from Stannah Stairlifts did an excellent job in the presentation. He was very straightforward with Stannah's pros and cons. He told us the price, what they were good at, what they were going to do, and what they won't do.

He did not badmouth his competitors, while the other ones had little digs about what their competitors did and didn't do. Also, the pricing was very upfront and honest. The other companies gave us a big price and then two days later, they called back to say that they can make a better deal for us. Then two days later, they called back with another deal. As the person making the decision on behalf of my parents, I felt like if I wasn't here, my parents could have been snowed a little bit about the prices people came in with. And I really was turned-off. I felt like they started high to see if people will bite on it. And Doug did not play any games like that at all. I live close to where Stannah headquarters was in Franklin, so I met Doug there on a Friday afternoon, and I tried out the chair.

Also, Stannah had a good program, which is what we ended up going with. Doug was very helpful when we decided to go used. We had gotten a top-of-the-line gently-used chair, which was about $3,000 less than the $11,000 Doug quoted and almost half the price of some of the other quotes that we received. I like that they have some type of buy-back program over the next few years in case we no longer need the lift. I also found that even with a used chair, their warranty was better than the other companies'.

The house is split level and we had a curved lift installed from the basement all the way to the top floor. The installation team was excellent. They were very nice and made sure that both my mom and dad knew how to use it. They also watched my parents use it to make sure they were comfortable with it. They were very accommodating, polite, professional, and clean. My parents were worried about the aesthetics of what it was gonna look like in the house, but now they think that it wasn't as cumbersome looking as they thought it would be. It's a smooth ride. It exceeded expectations and they are glad that we had gotten it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: June 1, 2018

Stannah is a great company and the product, quality and price are the reasons why I have chosen it. Their sales rep was very informative and she explained everything and I felt comfortable. The straight stairlift fits perfectly in our home. The quality is great and it’s gonna hold off for a long time. And it’s been very helpful in terms of having my parents be able to go up the stairs.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We have two floors with 15 steps to go up and my 87-year old brother needs a stairlift. Stannah Stairlifts is local and their reviews sounded more passionate when I went online and checked their reviews from other people. The Stannah sales team was very good and there was no pressure. They just gave us the facts and volunteered to come back anytime if I had other questions. The sales lady did a great job as well as the installer who came. The installer was a very personable young man who seemed to know what he was doing, didn’t have any issues, and was very pleasant. Overall, my brother likes the swivel part at the top of the stairlift and I'm very pleased with it. I would definitely recommend Stannah Stairlifts.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I love Stannah. My kids would want me to get a stairlift, but they didn’t know a name or anything. Then, my son brought me down a magazine and that was where I saw it and so I called. I was happy with the price, and the sales rep answered any questions I had. He was very informative. I was very happy with him. I got a straight stairlift and its perfect. I feel very safe on it. I’m up and downstairs a lot all day. The installer took him a couple of hours doing it, and then he spent plenty of time with me making sure I knew everything and how to use it. He was very thorough. With the stairlift, it has been easy for me to get up the stairs. I didn’t think at first that I’d even use it. I just got it to shut my kids up, but then when I got it, I just loved it.

Original review: May 29, 2018

The Stannah salesman who paid us a call to tell us about the stairlift was extremely knowledgeable and very professional. There was nothing that he couldn't answer as far as our questions. There is also an added benefit that we didn't even know until the salesman explained it to us. If my doctor signs the paperwork, the state won't charge us the fee for taxes and that's on a pricey item so that's not a small thing when you're on a limited income. The gentleman who installed the stairlift was also extremely professional. He told us approximately how long it would take, which it did exactly, and he treated us in a respectful manner. He also cleaned up and he didn't leave anything behind.

I also noticed that neither one of them treated us like we had less than a mental capacity. Once you reach a certain age, people seem to talk to you louder, whether it's well intended or not, thinking that you're deaf or to explain minute details that you're quite capable of understanding. Even in commercials, there is one from another chair company that shows the couple as feeble, old and rickety. But the Stannah people treated us with intelligence and respect, and that meant a lot to me. People that need this particular piece of equipment are going to appreciate that as well.

We have a large house, with 14 rooms and four bathrooms, and getting around on one level isn't bad but it's the stairs. I have severe asthma and COPD, and my husband has very bad arthritic knee. We've only been using the stairlift for a short time but we use it every day and night, and I've seen a huge improvement in going up and down the stairs. We found the stairlift exactly as we were told it would be. It's probably one of the best investments we've ever made. I would recommend Stannah.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I'm renting a straight stairlift for six months because I had a knee replacement done five days ago and I'm very pleased with the stairlift. It's working out well for me now that I'm home from the hospital. The only blip that I had was that when they initially scheduled the appointment to come and install it, I was given a timeframe of between 9:00 and 11:00 AM. But come 11:00 AM, the installer was still not here and I became panicky 'cause I knew the job was gonna take about four hours and I had this doctor's appointment in a couple of hours. We found he was then 30 minutes away and I was so upset that I cancelled it. But when it was rescheduled, a different installer was scheduled to come and he did a good job.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have a bad back, two knee surgeries, and I live in a house with stairs. And Stannah had the best reviews out of all of the stairlift providers, so I called them to see what they had to say. And I liked the system a lot, so I got one. Everybody was great and they did a nice job. The system is pretty good-looking. It's two flights of stairs, but there are landings halfway so it has three curves in it. It’s lovely, very graceful and there’s plenty of room there. And it has a lot of safety features, which the other provider do not have. It’s much better than I thought and it works beautifully.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I have arthritis in my legs and I can't make the stairs anymore. We read through several stairlift options and Stannah sounded like the best, it was the most complete. Also, a friend of mine had gotten a Stannah stairlift and she was very pleased with it. We had a wonderful rep and the guy sent to install the stairlift was excellent. Everything has been perfect.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I have a disease called fibromyalgia, which makes my legs tragically numb. I've also had lung cancer, eczema, and some heart problems. I had trouble walking up the stairs and it got so bad that if I had a package I couldn’t make it, so I was really forced to have the stairlift. My interaction with Stannah Stairlifts' rep was really good. They've been around for a long time and I was impressed with their history. Also, he wasn't very pushy about it. He told me the price and what they will do and he gave me his card. I called him a few days later and he came. I talked with two others and their's were a lot cheaper. One was even significantly cheaper but I didn't like the rep. The installation went fine and it took about three hours to have everything done. I have the unit for three weeks now and I use it about three times a day. It's an ugly-looking thing but everything's working as it's supposed to. I wouldn't be able to go up and down the step if I didn't have it.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We’re very happy with Stannah Stairlifts. Prior purchasing the stairlift, we did our research and they seemed like the best company. And they were very professional. Their rep came out and he was very thorough. He explained in any question we had. And then they set up the stairlift a week later which was very responsive. They met all our needs and if we needed something before, they made us well-aware of it. It was a pleasant experience.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The Stannah Stairlifts sales rep's visit took only about a half hour. He showed me pictures of the stairlift but I had been through it when I went to their home office and checked the thing out. I already pretty much decided that was what I wanted to do. I like that they were close to the home office in Franklin. The guy came to see us, he was right on time and I had no criticism of him at all. We were about to leave for Florida for a couple of months during the winter so we said that we were gonna do it as soon as we get back. We submitted all the paperwork and then when we came back it was like we started all over again from another planet.

We got a straight stairlift and it fits into our home perfectly well. The installer who came in was one young man in his early 20's. He put up the staircase, showed me how to push the buttons and he left. I like about the stairlift the most is that it goes up and down. The machinery and the feet itself is fine. It does what it's supposed to do and it seems to work in a reliable manner.

Original review: May 24, 2018

My wife has a problem with her knee so we got the straight Stannah stairlift so she wouldn't have to go to the step. The stairlift is okay and everything is beautiful. The installation went well and it works. It’s well made and I'm hoping that it stays a long time. My wife likes that it can go up and down. With the stairlift, it has been much better because she doesn’t have to put pressure on her knee anymore. I’m happy right now. We had it put in just a couple of months ago and so far, it's been good. If somebody needs it, I would recommend Stannah because it’s a good thing to have.

Original review: May 23, 2018

We needed a stairlift because of my wife’s Parkinson's disease but it took us so long to make up our minds on which brand to choose because we kept looking for something that was more aesthetically pleasing, but none of them were. But then we had a special problem with the door and Stannah Stairlifts offers a unit that has a retractable track at the bottom and others do not. The Stannah sales rep was very good and helpful and the installer was prompt and worked diligently. He went through every function of the unit with us and he did a good job. We got the straight one with a retractable track at the bottom. And it runs smoothly, though it goes slower than I do so I have to wait when my wife is coming down the stairway. But, it’s a safety thing with her, which is a big thing with stairs and her condition.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My wife broke her leg and I was told Stannah has the best stairlift. Their sales representatives were excellent and they've always had to work things out. We chose the straight installation and it fits well in our home. The installer was terrific. It took him about three or four hours to put it in and he spent quite a bit of time with us explaining how it worked. My wife and I both got a chance to use it and see how it worked. The whole thing is fine and I like the idea that we could turn it off when it's not in use. However, it's making a bit more noise than it should. It's a good piece of machinery and it works well. It has definitely made our lives simpler. We're going from the ground floor to the second floor and she couldn't do that well, so the stairlift makes it a lot easier.

Original review: May 22, 2018

We needed to get a stairlift for my parents and we went with Stannah Stairlifts due to a recommendation from another customer. The sales reps just came and measured, and they were nice people and we bought it .We installed a curved stairlift and we love it. The installation team was top-shelf and I'm very impressed with them. They did their job very well. I have people working for me 'cause I build houses, and they were obviously very well-trained. The stairlift was very well built. They also demonstrated everything perfectly.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I had used Stannah in the past and they were excellent. I’m renting the stairlift and everything went perfectly this time around. My mom was coming to my home and Stannah got the stairlift installed quickly and it works. The reps were very personable and it was great. They were on time and they got it done in a timely manner because I told them I needed it for next week. I got the straight stairlift and it's the best that they could do. My mom is 94 and she doesn’t have any trouble using the machine. The cost seems reasonable but I wish Stannah hadn’t changed their rental period. They have a minimum six months rental now, but they had a three-month rental when I previously rented from them. But it doesn’t really matter as my mom would probably be here at my house for six months. She goes back and forth between my house and my sister, and having the three-month rental was a nice option.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I bought the Stannah stairlift for my daughter and she loves it. The sales rep was good. I like the way the stairlift comes down and goes up as the piece goes for it close up with the chair when it goes up. The installation was very good except that the guy who installed it put the remote batteries backward. The fit for the phases that we have was also good. I had a service call yesterday to fix the chair and they did it today since a guy called out sick. I just wished to have a call before they come to know that they are on the way. The cost is a little high but things are high nowadays.

Original review: May 20, 2018

My father-in-law needed a stairlift, so I called a couple of companies. Stannah came out, answered a lot of my questions, and seemed very professional, so I decided to go and buy a straight stairlift from them. The girls at the office were very helpful and the salesperson who came initially and the installation team were very professional. The newer units were expensive so the unit I got is refurbished but it is sturdy and its ride is very smooth. But it is a little tight and there seem to be some bars that stick out. And in a normal sized, smallish stairway, it is in the way. But my father-in-law loves it and he’s very happy with it helping him out. I just wish the six-month lease is longer, so you have time to see if you still needed the stairlift after a year.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I had no choice but to get a stairlift and I didn’t want the regular Acorn so I purchased from Stannah. I like their sales people and I love their installation people. The stairlift is user-friendly and I like it too. However, it gets in the way since my stairway is very small.

Original review: May 19, 2018

We're elderly and we want to stay in our house. So we decided to purchase the Stannah stairlift based off of my friends’ recommendation. Their reps explained everything to us and the installers were excellent. We have one straight and one curved stairlift. The first one was installed by Nick and he gave a demo for it. And then with the curved one, Nick and another guy came out for the installation. They were very good and they cleaned up after. I had to economize, so it was a used chairlift. But it fits very well on the stairwell and the curve looks very good, and the safety features are excellent. Though the curved one is a little bumpy and doesn't ride as smooth as the straight one, it’s fine.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I took my dad out of the nursing home in April and he couldn’t get up my stairs. I have a second-storey bedroom for him. The nursing home referred Stannah Stairlifts and the sales representative who came out to my house was such a nice guy. I got the straight stairlift and it fit perfectly into my stairwell. Also, the installer was awesome. He actually had lunch and dessert with us. My mom always wants to feed someone who wants to come over, so he was able to get the installation done and eat while he was working. He deserved it. He also had us use the stairlift and the ride was absolutely perfect. The cost was worth it to be able to help my dad get up and down the stairs. My daddy loves it and he is up and down all day long. Our experience with Stannah Stairlifts was amazing overall.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I had a stairlift before and the guy who used to come and fix it, Carl, gave me a brochure about Stannah. So when I wasn’t able to use that unit anymore, I trusted Carl and bought a unit from Stannah. The sales rep who came to my house was nice. The installers were nice as well and they did a good job. The unit is a nice lift and it's working and it's helping me but I feel that I paid too much for things that I didn't need, like the key and button. And I live on social security. I wouldn't recommend it.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have a problem with my hips and decided to get a stairlift. I got a Stannah and I've had it for a month and a half now. The reps I dealt with were great and very explanatory. The installation crew installed it within a week. They explained to me how to use it, and were out of here in a couple of hours. While the stairlift is too slow, it's doing the job and it's of good quality. I like that it folds so it makes room for everybody to go to the stairwell. I would definitely recommend this one.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I researched about Stannah and I ended up purchasing a straight stairlift. It fits very well into our home. The sales representative was excellent. He was answering all of my questions and was very knowledgeable. The installation was done by just one person and it was very well done within very good time. The quality of the stairlift is excellent. Plus it has given me freedom and liberation.

Original review: May 15, 2018

It was becoming too difficult for my father to walk upstairs to his bedroom. I did the research on the various other products and, for our needs, we needed a curved stairlift. I liked the difference in the track mechanism and the actual chair itself and that it came with different color choices in the fabric on the seat. I liked the how responsive the company was, because what I usually do is I call a phone number to see how the people respond, if you need service or whatever. Out of the three different salespersons I had here, the one from Stannah was head and shoulders above in his attitude towards explaining how the lift would work. He was a delight to have in my house.

The two guys that came for the installation were very respectful and very neat. At the end of the service call, they went over to my father and thanked him for his business and shook his hand. That’s remarkable. My father said the Stannah stairlift arrived just in time. Our experience with Stannah was pleasant from start to finish. We just had some workers in the home to install one of those walk-in bathtubs, so when you have various people in your home you can really appreciate when you have a group that’s quite respectful and clean about how they approach things. Stannah is still family-owned and they're one of the longest and first stair companies in the US. When they put themselves out there to be a reputable company, they lived up to their reputation. And I’ve already recommended them to somebody else who bought from them.

Original review: May 14, 2018

The Stannah Stairlifts reps were very friendly and very professional, and we appreciated that because we didn’t know the first thing about it. Phone calls to the office were very helpful. They were very friendly people, very sincere, and right to the point. Everything was black and white, and there were no questions, no callbacks needed. Everything was right there for us. The salesperson was very pleasant and very knowledgeable. We had the straight, indoor stairlift installed and it fits very well in our home. One gentleman installed it and he was the nicest fella I’ve ever met. He was very efficient. He installed it in less time I ever believed it could have been done. The stairlift was done very well and it works perfectly.

My wife has dementia and she can’t use the steps anymore, so we purchased a stairlift for her to go visit our daughter because it was downstairs in the house. It’s very good because we couldn’t get her out of the house for a little less than two years, but last week, we got her out three times. That was really great. She got to see people that she hadn’t seen in quite a long time, and it was very good. We really appreciated it.

Stannah Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Stannah is a stairlift designer and manufacturer founded in 1867. The family-owned company aims to help people stay as independent as possible by providing their customers with high-quality and customizable stairlifts. It also provides safety testing and installation.

• Focus on safety: The stairlifts are tested for safety at various points in the design and manufacturing process.

• Installation: Stannah installers deliver and install stairs in a professional and attentive manner. They test the lifts, help consumers understand how to operate them and clean up after themselves.

• In-person support: Stannah technicians in the United States and Canada can provide in-person help after installation.

• Telephone support: Customer service representatives are available through the phone seven days a week around the clock. Consumers can call a toll-free number to arrange a free home assessment, no strings attached.

• Flexible designs: Stannah designs enable users to carry grocery or laundry bags, as well as fit with existing decorative patterns. They can also be folded for easy storage when they are not in use.

• Fits various needs: Stannah offers rental stairlifts for short-term use, and the company's stairlifts work in wide, straight, curved and narrow staircases.

• Best for: people who can't walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Stannah Stairlifts questions and answers

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person centered approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
How does your company measure success?
Our Company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last 5 years?
We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do, and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
Has Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
How has Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the Lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information