Call toll free
(844) 602-1938
4.84/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

546 Stannah Stairlifts Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

I broke my hip and I have arthritis in my knee. I cannot go up the steps. I saw Stannah Stairlifts advertised on the computer. I looked in the phone book, and they were fairly near this area. The sales person who came to my home was very nice. He explained everything very well. We had a straight stairlift installed and it fits perfectly. The installers didn't bother us. They were even speedy considering all the work that had to be done, and they were very nice. So far, the quality of the stairlift is fine.

Get expert buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2019

My wife and I are getting older. Going up and down the stairs with groceries is getting out of hand a little bit. I walked around and I looked at a couple of stairlift providers and they couldn't do what I wanted. So, we had Stannah Stairlifts come over. They have been in business longer than Acorn and they were polite. Jonathan came and measured everything. We explained what we needed done. He had camera and all those other stuff. There were two installers who came as well. Stannah was not cheap but they did a really good job. The quality of the stairlift is also very good.

Original review: April 22, 2019

When I looked at Stannah, I've looked at the cost and reviews. I got the curved, indoor stairlift which the installation team installed quickly and efficiently. They cleaned up after themselves. Since the stairlift was installed, my husband, who can't walk, can now go from the second to the first floor. And although the stairlift is expensive, it works well. It's also something that we needed so that's what we have.

Original review: April 21, 2019

My experience with Stannah was beautiful. We had a Stannah stairlift before that was older, that my mom had bought. It was starting to get squeaky and noisy. A Stannah representative came to the house and gave us the materials, then we decided to purchase a new one, and we love it. It’s quiet and it runs beautifully.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Our orthopedic surgeon required some kind of help for my husband and we were even looking forward to a wheelchair that he can use in the living room, that he can guide himself instead of me pushing. I’m 87 and he’s 95 so we needed something and Stannah Stairlifts was the group I knew about. The man that came was wonderful. He was clear, patient, quick and prompt. He knew he was selling something, but he wasn’t overbearing. He was just perfect for his job. The two men that came to install it were very polite. I couldn’t ask for anything nicer. Stannah's service has been great. I haven’t had any need to have them come back and put little batteries in for the light or anything and it’s been wonderful for me. My husband’s the one who really needs it but I ride it up and down. I don’t have to carry the laundry up and down anymore so I get a little bit of relaxation.

My husband rides it with a laugh on his face too. Because of the dementia he has, it took a little while to learn how to move the little guide for up and down. He kept trying to lift it and pull it. And like dementia patients do, he started out swinging his cane and denting the refrigerator, an anger burst every once in a while. He was treating the stairlift that way at first. Now, he doesn’t have a problem. He can go in, sit down, he knows how to make the little platform go up and down so he can get close enough with it in the upright position, so that he can get on the chair, push the button, make the stand go down for his feet. He also zips up with a big smile and he has a rollator waiting for him to go to the bedroom. So, it’s wonderful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: April 19, 2019

I can’t walk very far so I needed a stairlift to exit the house to go to the doctor’s. I had Stannah for my wife about six years ago and it worked well then, so I went back to them. I called them up, ordered the stairlift and sent a check in. I had a straight one installed and it fits into our home just fine. However, with only one arm available, it was hard for me to get into it. I had to do an adaptation on a railing so I can get into it better.

The only thing is, the installation went very poorly. The holes in the wall were there before and, six years ago, I saw it only took a few hours to install. This time, the guy took all day. He refused to do certain things because he said the door was too close. We had to call his supervisor to get that changed. The installer did those things eventually because his boss told him to, and it was installed fine but it took eight hours and arguments. It was not a pleasant installation. Whereas in the past, when I dealt with Stannah, everything was fine. Still, I would recommend them. But I would hope they wouldn’t send out the same installer.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My husband is in his 80s. He had a fall and the physical therapy practice gave us the name Stannah to go with. The sales people and the reps we worked with were very lovely. We have rented two straight ones for the basement. While my husband doesn't like it at all because he'd rather be walking, I wasn’t going to take any chances. Besides, he does use it to go down the stairs so he can take a shower. He also uses it when we have to go outside or when he's tired. Other than that, the quality of the chair is very good, Stannah Stairlifts is terrific and I highly recommend them.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Since having the Stannah stairlift installed, my husband can go up and down the stairs. He has MS and we decided to go with Stannah as they're local to us. My experience working with their sales rep was fine. I did a lot of research on the internet before we even spoke, so it was an easy sell. While the quality of the straight stairlift was fine, our doorcase overlapped on our staircase by about six inches, so it makes our staircase narrow, which would require us to widen our doorcase. Despite that issue, my husband likes the ease of getting in and out of the stairlift.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The fellow who came to install the Stannah stairlift was good and thorough. He had to come out from Franklin, MA and by our standards, it's a fairly long drive. But he came within 10 minutes of the time he said he was going to arrive, which I thought was good. This fellow was pleasant and knowledgeable as well. He showed me everything to do and showed me the trouble code is a little LED counter that tells you if there's a problem with it. We ran it up and down. He showed me all the features too.

The stairlift I have is a used one but that one is good. It has some peculiarities like if it's been sitting for a long time, which means the batteries have thoroughly topped off to be of low voltage, and I'm going down the stairs, it starts fast. And then, for 2 feet, it goes its normal speed and then, it goes slow all the way down to the bottom of the stairs. If I stop to go back up the stairs, I then go back down, it goes down at its normal speed. And it only happens if it's been sitting unused for several hours. Other than that, the salesperson was very good, the unit is nice, and having local support and a local installation is worth a bit.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Stannah's salesperson came and we were very happy with the presentation. We concluded that we wanted to get their stairlifts, called their customer service department and told them that we wanted to go forward with the order. Their installers were prompt and came as they said they would. They did a very thorough installation that was very neat and clean. Afterward, they gave us considerable instruction on how to operate the unit. The tech wasn't in any hurry to run away so we couldn't have been happier. Now we have two straight stairlifts from them. It looks bulletproof and I can recognize the quality. Our stairlifts are remarkable. They're easy to operate. If we want to bring things up or downstairs, we can put it on our lap. Having the Stannah stairlifts has been very convenient.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Dean for your review. As a family focused business, we appreciate hearing how a Stannah stairlift has made going up and down the stairs easier and impacted your life for the better.

The Stannah Team

Original review: April 11, 2019

I used Stannah stairlift for my wife 10 years ago and it was very, very good. They are only one of the few companies that I called that's rent to buy which I find very convenient so I decided to purchase a stairlift from them at this point. My son did mostly the ordering and everything else. When I came home, it was already installed. So far, everything's fine. I like it very much. The button for the foot, the arms go up fine. However, it's a little slow. I also have to reach for the crossbelts underneath the arm, pull it across the legs to install it. I wish it was in the back that'd come across the shoulders so that it'd be easier to reach. Other than that, I have no complaints. We have it in our staircase and it fits perfectly. Once everything is folded up, we can get by. If anyone asks about a stairlift, I would recommend Stannah very, very highly. Their company is very good as well as their policy.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Both of my parents needed help getting up and down the stairs and Stannah Stairlifts has been great. I looked them up and they were extremely responsive. They were there on time, early, and provided everything they said they would. They explained to me my different options for ownership over the phone, versus leasing, versus new and old or refurbished, and answered all those questions that I've been pointing. The guy was there in 48 hours on time, sat down with me, checked the house up to make sure it could accommodate the stairlift. They showed me where everything would go in terms of the wires and plugs and was very comprehensive and said it would be installed in five days.

He was back within that time frame installing, so it couldn't have gone any better. My mom has dementia and she was able to use the stairlift, figure out how to do it with a little supervision. She's on it and doing what she needs to do. It took her a couple of days to get used to it, but she's good. If people wanna call me as reference, they can. I would speak the world of Stannah.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Ed for sharing your feedback on your Stannah stairlift. We’re glad your mom is able to use it and benefit from it.

The Stannah Team

Original review: April 9, 2019

My wife is not able to walk up and down the stairs so we had to purchase a stairlift. I looked up the names of a few stairlift providers and a representative from Stannah came out. I also met with somebody else but we decided that we liked Stannah’s product and we had the arrangement to purchase it. I met with the sales rep and he went over everything. We went through pictures to discuss the various options available, pricing and how to order. We have the straight stairlift installed in our home. It goes up one side of stairs and it fits in fine. My wife likes the whole thing. The device has a light on the left arm of the chair and a little switch that energizes the chair at the moment. There is also a couple of power switch but there is no way to turn the light off.

Then at night, with the chairlift at the top of the stairs in the dark hallway, that thing blinks and it really lights up the whole area. It's amazing. I wouldn't think anything of it during the day, but at night I do. I have to cover it with something so it is annoying. I don't know how to turn that off the power switch on the underside of the chair itself. Nevertheless, we are satisfied and very pleased with the Stannah Stairlifts. Everything seems to be fine right now but we’ll see how things hold up. The idea of having it made it possible for my wife to go up and down the stairs in the style of house that we have. She probably wouldn't have been released from the hospital at that time had we not have the stairlift installed right then. I would recommend Stannah. In fact, we show the stairlift to anybody who comes in here and we talk about it.

Original review: April 5, 2019

My mother has very poor balance because and because she's arthritic, she was having great difficulty climbing the stairs. She's on oxygen, so it was getting very difficult for her to climb the stairs, and she would always be out of breath. Her staircase was unusual, it has two curves, so we needed something that was going to fit her circumstances made specifically for her situation. My sister and niece insisted on Stannah Stairlifts. I had my misgivings, but I am very pleased with the way it is on the staircase. It's not overwhelming, it's extremely secure. It's been a very positive thing here. The young men who installed it. They were very professional, congenial, and did their work. They were very efficient that it actually went together faster than I had anticipated.

My mother does not use it unsupervised but it makes her life easier and this has facilitated her daily routine. The bathroom is upstairs, her bedroom downstairs and hygiene is very important to the elderly even if she's just sitting all day. It's a part of your self-esteem to be clean. So, in that regard, that area is easier to facilitate.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mary for your honest review. We’re glad to hear your Stannah stairlift has made life easier for your mother and your overall experience with Stannah has been so positive.

The Stannah Team

Original review: April 3, 2019

The Stannah stairlift is a good product to have when you have an ailing elderly person in the home and it's the only way for them to get up the stairs. Otherwise, we would have had to get a hospital bed and put on an extra room in the first level for our mother. So the stairlift pays for itself. We chose Stannah because of the warranty and their reps were all excellent, very accommodating and flexible. The straight indoor stairlift fits perfectly into our home, and the guy who installed it worked very hard to make sure we understood exactly how to use it. He did a couple of trial runs just to make sure we were all on board with how to use the device. He was very personable and accommodating as well.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Having Stannah stairlift is the best thing I’ve done in years. I’m so thrilled with it and I love it. I like the convenience of carrying things over the stairs. I purchased a stairlift because I live alone, and I'm getting older, and my children are pressuring me to move in with them, out of my house, and I love my house. My experience during the sales visit was wonderful. And I liked Jacob. He was very cute and nice. And Hanna was very cooperative. Everything about Stannah was wonderful. It's heaven. A straight one was installed and everything went very smoothly during the installation.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Ginny for your review. We’re glad your Stannah stairlift has enabled you to stay in your home and remain living independently.

The Stannah Team

Original review: March 28, 2019

The Stannah Stairlifts sales rep and installers were great. The installers demonstrated the stairlift and they were very patient with my mother. My mother is 95 years old and 110 pounds. She couldn’t go upstairs unless there was somebody walking with her. I went upstairs with her at night, but now, with the Stannah stairlift, she could say goodnight and go to bed. The stairlift gives my mother the freedom to go up and down in safety. It’s perfect for her. However, it would be better if they could make the motorized seat so that when it gets to the top of the stairs, it completely turns towards her room. I don’t mean it has to deliver her into her bedroom, but I thought that it would turn away from the stairway more. The seat where her butt is turns 60 degrees, but it doesn’t turn 110 degrees. Plus, the foot platform stays where it is and doesn't rotate. The post moves and turns the body, but the feet don’t move with it.

Original review: March 27, 2019

A member of my family got very sick and wasn’t able to use the stairs, so we had to install a stairlift. Stannah was referred to us. We got the straight stairlift. The dimensions suited the tight stairwell. I was actually in Florida at the time, and it was installed in New York. So the interaction with them was over the phone and we had a friend take care of the installation. It was superb and seamless, and it couldn't have been better. The rep was very professional, too.

The installation took two hours which was mind-boggling because I expected it to be sort of a day or so. Literally, they were in and out in a couple of hours. The only issue was we had to install an outlet there. But other than that, it was just so easy. No mess. Everything was done so cleanly. I have used the stairlift just to ride it to see how it worked. When we came back from Florida, I got on the stairlift first to make sure it was all good, and it was great. It is simple to use and inexpensive. I was amazed at how not cheap but inexpensive it was. I expected to be spending an awful lot more money on something like this.

Original review: March 21, 2019

My 95-year old grandmother is going to be moving in with us so we purchased a stairlift for her safety and convenience. We called Stannah to schedule the appointment and they came and gave us a quote. Their team also did the installation and we got a straight stairlift. While I’ve tripped over the stairlift a few times, it seems durable. So far, so good.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had the Stannah stairlift installed in a quarter-circular stair then straight to the second floor. My stairlift works fine and I’m very happy with it.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We purchased a straight stairlift from Stannah since the one that we had was wearing out. I had very nice interactions with the sales rep. The stairlift's overall quality is very good and it fits fine into our stairwell.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Stannah's salesman was excellent as his arguments were better than the one from Acorn. Acorn started $1,000 higher than Stannah but then they matched Stannah's price. They were trying to gouge too much while Stannah was more honest with their price. Also, Stannah was the better product based on the way it was made and the fact that it was one piece cut into sections. The double-rail system looked sturdier to me.

I got one from them and the installers showed up right on time. They were very efficient and gave the information. I talked to them about a couple of things, and their answers were really good. They gave us a complete demonstration of how to operate it. They clearly knew all the features. They did their business and cleaned everything up perfectly. We have a much older house so it has a lot of small rooms. Stannah's curved stairlift with one landing and 90-degree turn fit in there perfectly.

Thus far, we've had no problems operating the stairlift and it seems to be working really well. The power footrest is good and my mother who had a hip operation doesn't have to bend down. Otherwise, she would have trouble lifting it with the toe of her food. That’s a good feature which was included in the price. Another good feature is the seat. It needs to be smooth enough so the person sitting can slide on and off a little bit. One of the other stairlifts had seats that weren't nearly as slippery. The one we have has a comfortable seat that allows the passenger to get in and out very easily. The movable armrest is a good feature too. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the stairlift.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thanks Warren for your curved stairlift review. Every Stannah 260 curved rail is custom engineered to fit seamlessly into your home so we're glad yours was a perfect fit. As always we're here to help, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to our customer care team at stannah-stairlifts.com/customer-support/.

Tha Stannah Team

Original review: March 17, 2019

We purchased a stairlift for my wife and Stannah seemed the best of what was available so we went with them. The rep showed me what was available and what it would cost. It was pretty straightforward. We had a curved stairlift installed and the quality is very good. The cost is appropriate. Also, it does what it’s supposed to do.

Original review: March 16, 2019

My mother-in-law doesn’t have the strength in her legs to go to the second floor. My sister-in-law did some research and she felt that Stannah was one of the best. She got the stairlift that goes straight up and when Stannah came to install it, they also instructed her how to use it. The stairlift feels very sturdy, it’s comfortable and it gets the job done. My mother-in-law likes it very much and it comes in handy and it has made things easier. We don’t have to be concerned about her having to climb stairs. Her main bath is upstairs, so she needs to be on the second floor for showers and shampoos and the stairlift expedites things.

Original review: March 15, 2019

We have Stannah stairlift because my son is in a wheelchair and we need to get him upstairs. They were the first people that got back to me and the warranty looked good. Also, I know they are made in England, but the main site for all the other stuff is in Massachusetts which is where we are. I was able to interact well with their sales rep and the installation went well too. The stairlift we got is curved which is like a 90-degree turn and right now, I’m trying to get used to the remote a bit. The stairlift is for our safety and so far, everything about its quality seems nice and I’m less worried about falling down the stairs as I’ve been carrying my son up.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello J, we're glad you decided to go with a Stannah stairlift and it has relieved your fears by making it easier to transport your son up and down the stairs. If you would like assistance with the remote you can reach out to our customer care team or consult your user's manual.

The Stannah Team

Original review: March 14, 2019

When I had to purchase a stairlift for my parents, I googled Stannah and it was rated well. The salesperson was a nice guy. He came to the house and measured everything. He also gave us all the different levels of the chairlift, explained it all and gave us the prices. The installer cleaned up after himself. They installed a straight stairlift and it was well-done. The stairlift fits great into the stairwell. Before we had to move our parents' bedroom downstairs and the bathrooms are upstairs. My dad fell twice down the stairs in the last couple of years but now the stairlift gets them up and down without falling down the stairs. It has been great.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Thomas for reviewing your Stannah experience and purchase. We are glad to read that you decided to purchase a Stannah stairlift for your parents and they now have a safe way to get up and down the stairs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was having reconstructive surgery on my foot and I wasn’t gonna be able to walk for 12 weeks. I was searching around to rent a chairlift and Stannah was the only one that would do it. Their reps were very friendly, honest, upfront and they answered all my questions. Also, every one of the installers has been fabulous. I got the straight stairlift and although it fits very well in my other house, in this house, unfortunately, it’s a little narrower but I need it and it works just as well. It had a little bit of problems but we’ve had it under maintenance and Stannah has been phenomenal in taking care of it.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello Beatrice, Thank you for your review on your stairlifts rental. We're glad that you have benefited from your Stannah stairlift in both of your homes. If you believe you will continue to need the stairlift after your initial rental period ends you also have the option to purchase it.

The Stannah Team

Original review: March 7, 2019

We researched Stannah online and their stairlift appeared to be very high quality and reliable. The salesperson we dealt with was very efficient and knowledgeable. The guy who came to install the unit was knowledgeable as well. The stairlift is a straight unit and it fits into our stairwell very well. We're very satisfied.

Original review: March 6, 2019

My wife has MS and her locomotion is getting worse. I got a couple of estimates and word of mouth about chairlift providers, and I also checked out a few people who had one. The Stannah sales visit was a very good experience. They gave us a figure and it was expensive. That was what we had to pay, but it all seemed very reasonable. The reps did what they had to do and they were really professional.

We got the curved stairlift because of our stairs and it had to be wide because my wife would have to sit there. The stairlift fits a little tightly into our stairwell but they did what they could do given the fact that it was a narrow staircase. The installation team was very good and we have no complaints about them. They did it in one day and then there was one last adjustment they did the following week. It was very easy to learn how to use the stairlift, which is very important. The ride is smooth as well. It would have been a real problem if my wife didn’t have the stairlift.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My mother was having difficulties going up and down the stairs. I surfed the internet and Stannah Stairlifts' number came up. I dialed it and someone very nice quickly came out. I decided I needed it as soon as possible and went with them. I was impressed with their service, their quickness, the knowledge that the guys had, the salesperson, the mechanics, and the installer. I loved the representative. He was very polite, humorous and energetic. Plus, he made us very comfortable. He said that he had experience because he was the mechanic and went into sales. I was satisfied with him.

We had a straight stairlift installed. The installation team was also lovely. The first guy that came was just as nice as the salesperson. He gave me all the ins and outs and explained everything he was doing for me. And the installation was done in one hour. I was comfortable with the purchase. The seat lift gives us more access to the stairway. We have plenty of space for moving and anything you would need to do on the stairway. Plus, it seems pretty safe.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello Robert, Thank you for your review on the service you received from our sales advisor, installer and technician. We're glad you were satisfied with your Stannah stairlift purchase and installation.

Stannah Stairlifts expert review by Shelley Webb

Stannah is a stairlift designer and manufacturer founded in 1867. The family-owned company aims to help people stay as independent as possible by providing their customers with high-quality and customizable stairlifts. It also provides safety testing and installation.

• Focus on safety: The stairlifts are tested for safety at various points in the design and manufacturing process.

• Installation: Stannah installers deliver and install stairs in a professional and attentive manner. They test the lifts, help consumers understand how to operate them and clean up after themselves.

• In-person support: Stannah technicians in the United States and Canada can provide in-person help after installation.

• Telephone support: Customer service representatives are available through the phone seven days a week around the clock. Consumers can call a toll-free number to arrange a free home assessment, no strings attached.

• Flexible designs: Stannah designs enable users to carry grocery or laundry bags, as well as fit with existing decorative patterns. They can also be folded for easy storage when they are not in use.

• Fits various needs: Stannah offers rental stairlifts for short-term use, and the company's stairlifts work in wide, straight, curved and narrow staircases.

• Best for: people who can't walk, people with limited mobility, people who have a heart or lung condition and people who have trouble bending their knees.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Stannah Stairlifts questions and answers

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person centered approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
How does your company measure success?
Our Company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last 5 years?
We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do, and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
Has Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
How has Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the Lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information