2. Elder Care
  3. Stair Lifts

4.7/5 (200 ratings)

About Stannah Stairlifts

Stannah Stairlifts provides stair lifts to customers throughout the U.S. and Canada to help them stay mobile and independent as they age in place. Its offerings include straight, curved and outdoor stair lift models. Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and -operated company since it was founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867.

Pros

• Straight, curved and outdoor designs
    • Rental option
    • Special model for limited flexibility

Cons

• Some options vary by dealer
    • No weight limits over 350 pounds

Bottom Line

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of its clients. Multiple models can work on both straight and curved staircases, and the Sadler can accommodate people that have trouble sitting.

Top Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The sales rep came out and explained all the different prices, and the different options of rental, buy, and used units. He gave me a price quote and different options of payment....

Verified

I had contacted Stannah and we coordinated a time. The sales representative came right out. He was wonderful and very knowledgeable, friendly and professional. ... My father's ver...

Information from Stannah on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stannah is committed to the safety of its customers and employees. The company is offering free quotes through phone or video appointments to help you get the information you need without an in-person evaluation.

The company is doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe during the installation process. This includes following the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines, eliminating direct contact and utilizing protective gear to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Employees maintain a safe distance during the installation process and thoroughly wipe down your new stair lift after installation. The company has also transitioned into using digital documents over paper.

In addition to these guidelines, Stannah is ensuring any employee exposed to COVID-19 or who is showing symptoms or feeling unwell stays home and self-quarantines.

What is Stannah Stairlifts?

Stannah Stairlifts is a company offering stair lifts in all 50 states and internationally. It sells straight and curved stair lifts for both indoor and outdoor use.

Stannah has over 150 years of experience with making people’s lives easier and giving them back their independence. Its team has won nine industry awards for its safety and health practices.

How does Stannah Stairlifts work?

With Stannah, you have the option to purchase, rent or rent to own a curved or straight stair lift, depending on your needs. For the most part, the right one for you depends on the shape of your staircase and the weight limit required.

Stannah’s purchase process starts with you getting a quote either online, over the phone or through an in-person consultation. If you decide to buy, Stannah will later install your stair lift for you.

You have the option to purchase directly from Stannah or from one of its authorized dealers. Dealers set their own prices and package options. In some cases, you may come out ahead through a dealer, while buying direct is a better option at other times.

Stannah stair lift models

Stannah offers the following models at the time of publishing:

• The Starla: The Starla is Stannah’s most customizable model — it comes in a range of upholsteries and light or dark wood trim. It also features a call button, which allows you to press a button and have the chair come to you, and safety sensors to keep the chair from running over obstructions or taking off before you’re fully seated.
    • The Siena: Stannah designed the Siena with space in mind. This compact model works well in narrow staircases, and its curved seat back helps keep riders comfortable. The armrests are slightly longer than ones in other models for added support, and the seat is also slightly wider. A retractable seat belt fits into the arms of the chair.
    • The Sadler: The Sadler model is designed for people with limited flexibility. It’s a stand-up chair meant to be leaned against, so there isn’t as much weight on your back, hips and knees. The seat is height-adjustable for comfort and non-slip for extra safety. It also produces gentle support beneath the cushion when you sit down and straightens your back by tilting up slightly when you stand up.
    • The Scout: The Scout is Stannah’s economy model. Because it has a slim profile, it’s good for narrow areas like basement stairs, and it has an anti-slip footrest. You can adjust the seat height as well. Safety sensors stop the lift if it detects an obstruction on the staircase.
    • The Outdoor Stairlift: This model is designed to be used outside and withstand the elements. Its seat is made from UV-resistant plastic, and the entire model is weather-resistant. The Outdoor Stairlift can operate in temperatures from 14 to 105 degrees. It also comes with a protective cover and a removable key for added security.
    ModelGood forWeight capacityStandout feature
    StarlaCustomization350 pounds (straight) or 300 pounds (curved)Multiple upholstery and rail options
    SienaNarrow stairs350 pounds (straight) or 300 pounds (curved)Compact design
    SadlerPeople with limited flexibility300 poundsStand-up seat
    ScoutSmaller budgets300 poundsLow price
    OutdoorOutdoor use300 poundsWeather resistance

Stannah Stairlifts cost

Stannah doesn’t publish its prices online, so you’ll have to get a quote from the company for exact pricing. You can get a quote by having a Stannah representative come out to your home, calling the company or answering some questions on Stannah’s website. These quotes include the cost of installation.

Stannah does publish some general pricing info you can use as a guideline, though. According to Stannah, you can expect a straight staircase stair lift to cost anywhere from $3,200 to $5,000, with most purchases in the $3,500 to $5,000 range. Curved staircase stair lifts cost between $8,500 and $14,000.

These prices may be intimidating, but financing options are available. If you only need a stair lift for a limited time, consider a rental.

Stannah Stairlifts FAQ

There are authorized Stannah Stairlifts dealers in all 50 states. You can check out a full list of these dealers on its website.
    Yes. If you buy directly from Stannah Stairlifts, you receive a warranty that covers things like on-call service, critical component coverage and part replacement.

If you buy a stair lift from one of its authorized dealers, it will likely also come with a warranty, but it will differ from dealer to dealer on what that coverage entails.

Yes. When buying directly from Stannah, the cost of installation is included in the quote. This installation takes about four hours total and includes setup and cleanup. If you buy from a dealer, installation details can vary.
    Yes. While this won’t allow you to see the stair lift in person, it does come with the company’s standard benefits, like a warranty and installation.
    Yes, Stannah offers rental stair lifts. These are a great option for people who are recovering from surgery or providing caretaker services to a loved one for a short period of time. Six months is the standard rental period, but customers also have a rent-to-own option as well.

Do we recommend Stannah Stairlifts?

Stannah stair lifts are a good option for people looking to age in place and maintain their independence at home. Stannah has a wide range of stair lifts that cater to a variety of needs, whether you want a basic model, a model loaded with features or a model for those with more extensive mobility issues. Just keep in mind that some features and services aren’t the same if you buy direct or from a dealer, and some may differ from dealer to dealer.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

The ratings seemed to consistently demonstrate that Stannah was a high-quality product, and that nothing was outsourced and everything was done internally. It was not the cheapest, but it was the best value for the money. My parents were happy with the initial visit of the salesperson. I was present for that as well and there was a little bit of a lack of communication. We had an estimated install date. The salesperson told us that they would keep us posted if there were any delays. But we were not told by the salesperson that any further communication should go through the main office.

My dad and I had left voicemails for the salesperson looking for an update. We understood that COVID may delay things. We understood that the parts were being made in the UK and that there were certain things that are beyond anyone's control. But the salesperson did not return our calls and that was very concerning. If we're calling the wrong person, they should give us a call back and let us know who we should call. It was disappointing. It caused some undue and unnecessary concern that something may be going wrong here.

As we were approaching the install date, I thought somebody had to call us and confirm because somebody besides my parents needed to be there. Both my parents have some memory and hearing problems, and they get easily overwhelmed, so they prefer that one of us be there when things like the installation are happening. In the end, the installation itself went great. The two people who came out were lovely. They did everything in their power to be as undisruptive as possible and they were very nice to my parents.

My dad uses the stairlift more than my mother does and when she uses it, she gets him to coach her. I watched my mother and she gets a little panicky using it. Stannah could have a laminated simple step-by-step reminder of the steps to take each time you get in that chair. A laminated reminder that could easily be posted on the wall at each end would be a great benefit to elderly folks that are using it. The installers did teach my parents how to use it. But I watched them both today and they consistently forget to turn the power off when they were getting in and out of it. That's dangerous. They consistently get a couple of things out of order. I also caught my father not using the seatbelt. So the visual instructions would enhance safety and reduce anxiety. But overall, my parents are very pleased with the stairlift.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2021

My daughter found Stannah Stairlifts and I called and made an appointment. The fellow who came was absolutely very knowledgeable. He made me understand everything. He gave me all the different prices that we could have gone with with different types of the stairlift, how many steps or what I wanted to do. He was very informative. I chose the one that best fits my situation and my pocketbook. The man that came to install it was also really good. My son was here also, so they spent a lot of time together and the man was explaining everything to him. I watched. It was a lot to take it in in the beginning, but when we used it, it was really simple.

I love that it's so simple. When we had electric power out and the chair was beeping, I didn't know there was a switch in the back to shut the chair off. When my son came home, it was still beeping and he said there's a button in the back to stop it. That's only to let you know that the electric went out. So, that was a good feature on it. You save on the battery. You wouldn't know unless the electric went out, and it went out. But I thought that it's supposed beep. I didn't know it was drawing power from the battery to leave it on. Battery backup came on. So the chair tells you the battery backup is on with the beeping, but I didn't know to turn it off. My son shut it off right away. You have to press the button back on to use it, but it works in the power outage which is good to know. It did work.

I did recommend Stannah. Everyone's asking me about it. Everyone wants to come and take a ride. Now, I got other people with steps say, “Oh, gee, I would love to have that.” Now, as far as the price, I don't really understand because they're telling me they can't find one for the price I got this one at. The prices of the ones they looked at was much more. They can't get one for this price. I can't believe the price I got it. It's like having an elevator in the house that would have cost a fortune. I'm amazed that they invented this. I love it.

Overall, having the stairlift is marvelous because I'm 78 and I was literally crawling up the steps. My kids wanted my bedroom and everything brought downstairs. There's no room, and that saved my life because now I don't have to hear them anymore. I sit on the chair and up I go. I can keep my bedroom. The product is fantastic.

Original review: June 6, 2021

There's a water heater in my cellar and sometimes when it rains, I can get water in the basement, so I need to get down there. I am not mobile enough to make the trip all the time, so having a stairlift installed makes it easier. Now, it could be five or six days between times when I use it, but it's there, and it's good to have it. When I was choosing companies, I checked with Stannah first. When the salesman came in, he was able to determine something with the cellar stairs. He said there was a lip there and to have the installers place the track a little further back for stability when they do the install.

There were a couple of things too, like the way he wanted to switch the lock on the cellar door so that it could be just touched to open. I appreciated those insights. Those things seemed very important to me. I was able to reach him as well. We talked for quite a while and he said that I would be able to call him and talk to him after he was here. I thought about things for a few days, and I had more questions. I called him and he called right back, which was quite impressive. He answered my questions.

There was another company that I consulted and it turned out that the owner of the company had been a student of mine years ago. The companies that she represented had very high ratings. She also lived not too far from where I am, and she and her husband operated the business, which was good. Plus, they were less money than Stannah.

I made a connection with both people who represented their companies, but I still went with the Stannah one. It was something with the salesman that did it. Also, the Stannah Stairlifts place is in Franklin, Mass., which is not far from where I live, and it is a resource for the parts for around the country. It was nice to know the parts were right there. The one thing that's a drawback with Stannah is that they are more expensive. It's going to cost me more on the maintenance with the batteries.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Nancy for your detailed Stannah Stairlift review! We're glad to have been able to help you get down to your basement when needed.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I checked online and asked people that had a stairlift. Most people picked another company, but I went with Stannah. There was something about them. They're five stars and all good reviews. When I called, I got a callback right away and we set up an appointment. The salesman who came called and told me he was 10 minutes out. He was a little early. I said, “No worries, I'm stuck in the house anyway.” When he came, he looked at the house and said it was going to be easy. He recommended things to us because we had to have electric put in before he came back. He was a very nice guy. When he left, he immediately emailed me and sent me a nice note.

With my brother's situation here in the home, if he gets any worse, I may have to sell the house, so then, I would want to sell the stairlift. Stannah is the only company that gave any type of a buyback, that they would come in and take it out for me for free. That's the only thing the salesman didn't give me. I wrote to him, and I said, “I didn't get that.” He immediately sent it right back to me. Everything they did, there was never this uneasy feeling. He gave me my extra week to get the electric in too.

With the salesperson who came, the installer came in wearing gloves, a mask, and booties, and worried about my house. I told him he didn't have to put those. He went above and beyond installing the stairlift perfectly. He also wanted to train my brother and he took the time to go up and meet him. He was terrific. The things that I worried about, like would my brother understand? The installer said, “Look, I'll get them to understand it. You don't worry because he'll do it.” My brother is mentally slow and didn't understand. The installer showed him again. It was an absolute pleasure.

The stairlift is streamlined and clean-looking. Even when the installer put the little bit of wire in, he put a nice, little white thing that matched the woodwork. He also put a thing on the doorstep so that if anybody was to come in, and the seat was there, it would stop the door. Things that I didn't even think about. The installer also showed me how the remote controls worked. If I wanted to hang it, he was gonna hang it for me. I didn't need him to do that, but he offered it.

I put a review out there and I rarely take time to do that. I don't think I've ever had such service, from beginning to end, as I did with Stannah Stairlifts. It’s absolutely A-class. I would recommend them to anyone. The chair itself, I love the way it turns. Everything pushes up. It's very easy to use and it was a very simple procedure for my brother to do. We've had the stairlift for weeks now. Thank God, I've had no problems with it. It cleans nicely. I'm 1,000% happy with everything.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you so much Pat for taking the time to share your Stannah Stairlifts experience with us! We're so glad you love your stairlift and your brother is getting up and down the stairs much easier now.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Our stairlift from Stannah is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's moving my wife from point A to point B and back again. I went on the internet, and I wasn't even sure because we were looking for something temporary. And I wasn't sure if there was such an animal, and we'd find out at least with Stannah, you can rent a staircase for a minimum of six months, which we did. We were happy with that. In fact, yesterday, for the first time, just to play it on the safe side, I shut the power off in fear of maybe during the night, we might lose power, and I didn't want to drain the battery. But we did not. I turned the switch on in the morning and my wife’s been using it with no problems at all.

The rep was very helpful on the phone. He was giving me the information. Then, we had someone come down who was part of the sales, and he gave me the price and all the particulars. He did an excellent job. Then two young fellas came on November 2nd and installed it. They were excellent. They were neat and knowledgeable. I couldn't have asked for better people to come. One was relatively new and one had a few years under his belt who is kind of like the supervisor. But they worked hand in hand. They did it within four to five hours and took me through the motions. We’re right now still in the process, using it daily. We're hoping that my wife won't have to. She's not really a true invalid. She just had some blood clots and they didn't want her to use the stairs.

We're going to play it by ear now. Come the end of six months, do we buy it and just have it stored away, or do we return it? That is kind of up in the air with us at this point. While it’s being rented, we're under warranty. Should I purchase it, I lose the first six months of the warranty because I had it during the rental. I know all that upfront and what it would cost on an annual basis if we were to keep it installed for both warranty on parts and labor. In fact, when my wife was in rehab, the rehab people were giving her some company. When she told them that we're renting it for six months, apparently, they were interested, and we gave them Stannah's name and phone number.

I use the product once or twice when I'm really lazy. But when I go to bed, I let my wife go up first. The way it's set, to get my body through without making a tumble down the stairs, I have to flip up the foot pad, and swivel the chair the other way, lift the arms up so that it gives me a little bit more room just to go up the last few steps up the top of the stairs. Downstairs, there's no problem, because coming down, I use that foot as the last step, and that's not a problem. But I don't think there's anything that could be done to make it any better. In the morning, when I get up, I pass the stair, and then I swing everything back into position, set the foot pad down, and just proceed down the stairs and wait for my wife to get up. She then just sits in it, swings and hits the button, and she comes down with no trouble.

I would give the product's quality a triple-A. I found out that the manufacturers are over in England, and it's a well-built thing. We haven't had a glitch at all with it. We haven’t called for service. We’re very pleased with it. The only thing was I was quoted $1,500 for the rental, and when the person who came took his tape measure on, he realized that they had to go an extra rail. So, it was 1,600. But it was no big deal. That wasn't even a glitch. When I described over the phone how many steps I had, I was quoted 1,500. But when the salesman physically came down and he saw it, they knew that they had to piece an additional rail to make the 15 steps with just a straight run. Stannah is a good product.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

The way that the Stannah dealerships are set up is if somebody can't take the phone call at the local dealership, they roll it over to the national number, which I understand and it's great. That way, the local dealership isn't going to lose their call. But the national number often was not answered. It took them a long time and they never transferred me to the local folks. I don't know if the messages ever got through. It was a very bad experience dealing with their national phone number. But the local dealership was fabulous once I got to them. The sales rep came and asked what we needed. He looked at the stairs and measured them. Then, he looked for outlets and gave us two or three different designs with price. It was a rare good sales call. He did exactly what we asked him to do and gave us exactly what we needed. So far, we're happy with the stairlift. It's quiet and it works perfectly.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mrs. Johansen for sharing your feedback; it is very helpful as we work to improve our experience. We're glad to have been able to provide you with the best stairlift for your needs.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

I talked to Stannah and a gentleman came down. He was very knowledgeable and he told me everything there was about stairlifts. A tech in his 30s come for the installation and he knew his stuff. He did the job nicely and fast. Everything came out perfect. Our stairs are really long. They are 32 steps going up all the way and straight ahead. The stairlift works and we love it. We have a garage where I work down below and there’s a big door from the apartment that's upstairs. Carrying cases of water was really tough to do. We put it on the stairlift now and send our groceries up. I take my little pug up there too and we just play with it. I only wish the speed is a little faster. You sit there and you feel like 90 years old. The stairlift takes a while but it gets you up there.

There was one glitch in the whole thing, which was it was not a big deal. I got a call from a lady at Stannah who said one part was out of stock. We were all excited waiting a month or so. She said she's going to extend my warranty. I told her I was not gonna cancel and I would wait for everything. That was another month to finally get done.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Clyde for your 5-star review and your patience and understanding as we ordered your part. We're glad you are thoroughly enjoying your Stannah stairlift and it is helping you thrive at home.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Sept. 26, 2021

The Stannah stairlift was a big investment but I liked the fact that the quality was excellent. The woman that came out was very clear. The installation was a prolonged one and the fellow that did it spent all day. But he was working along and he did a great job. He left everything neat. I've been very satisfied with the stairlift. Bruce is the one using it and he loves it. He is really enjoying his ride. He gets to shower every other day now.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Ms. Girard for you 5-star Stannah Stairlifts review. We're glad to hear Bruce is enjoying his new stairlift and taking advantage of the benefits of having one.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

Stannah had a local office and their pricing included installation, which some of the others did not include. The installation went very smoothly and the crew made sure my mom could operate it before they left. They showed me how the stairlift worked too. My mom is thrilled and very happy with the stairlift. She's able to get up and down the stairs. I haven't had to pick her up from the top of the stairs lately. She has a little bit more positive attitude and that makes a big difference. Overall, it was an excellent experience and the quality of the stairlift is very nice.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

I'm having trouble walking and the chairlift worked very well. It's just that we're moving and I would like to know if there is an aftermarket for a used stairlift.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello Mr. Neaderland, we do offer a partial buyback. Please reach out to our Service team for more details. In addition, your question has been forwarded to them. Otherwise, we're glad your stairlift has worked out well for you.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information