2. Elder Care
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.72/5

Founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867, Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and operated company with a strong commitment to its customers' safety and comfort. Our focus is providing customers in the US and Canada with peace of mind and the freedom to maintain as much of the same level of mobility as ever as you or your loved one transitions.

With flexible options to rent or buy stairlifts and many capabilities to fit any type of staircase, we're confident we can help find the right option to fit your specific needs. Call us today to find a dealer near you or talk to a knowledgeable professional to get help and advice on the right stairlift for you or your loved ones.

Stannah Stairlifts Gallery (2)

BOTTOM LINE

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of their clients. The company's products have excellent features and come with two handheld remotes.

PROS

• Economical options
  • Options for limited flexibility
  • Battery operated

CONS

• Warranty options vary by dealer

Top Stannah Stairlifts Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

My husband has MS and he's having a hard time climbing the stairs … The installers were very professional. They showed me how to use the stairlift and went over everything. We've been using it and my husband likes that it's there.

My 93-year-old mother-in-law moved in with me and she dreaded going up and down the stairs. Now, she just pops on her stairlift and up she goes. The Stannah stairlift has been perfect.

Stannah Stairlifts Call Now Toll Free (617) 855-1809 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Information from Stannah on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stannah is committed to the safety of its customers and employees. The company is offering free quotes through phone or video appointments to help you get the information you need without an in-person evaluation.

If you have an immediate need for a stairlift, the company is doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe during the installation process. This includes following the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines, eliminating direct contact and utilizing protective gear to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Employees maintain a safe distance during the installation process and thoroughly wipe down your new stairlift after installation. The company has also transitioned into using digital documents over paper.

In addition to these guidelines, Stannah is ensuring any employee exposed to COVID-19 or who is showing symptoms or feeling unwell stays home and self-quarantines.

Stannah stair lift models

Stannah offers indoor and outdoor models for both straight and curved stairwells. This includes four stair lift models with differing style availabilities. You can buy Stannah stair lifts through a Stannah dealer. Stannah’s outdoor stair lifts come with a cover to protect against inclement weather.

• Stannah Starla: The Starla is Stannah’s most feature-heavy model. One such feature is the call button, which allows you to press a button and have the stair lift chair come to you. The call button lights up at night so you can see it easily. The seat on the Starla angles back slightly to help you feel more secure as you travel up and down the stairwell. The upholstery options look sharp - you can even choose a light or dark trim so your stair lift can match your home decor.
  • Stannah Siena: Stannah designed the Siena with space in mind. This compact model works best for narrow staircases and does a good job making use of the space available. The curved seat back helps keep riders comfortable. The armrests are slightly longer than ones in other models for added support, and the seat is also slightly wider. A retractable seatbelt fits intuitively into the arms of the chair. The Siena is compatible both with curved and straight staircases.
  • Stannah Sadler: The design of the Sadler model is for those with limited flexibility. The seat is ergonomically designed with adjustable height for comfort and non-slip for extra safety. It is a stand-up chair, so there isn’t as much weight on your back, hips and knees. The seat also produces gentle support beneath the cushion when you sit down and straightens your back by tilting up slightly when you stand up.
  • Stannah Scout: The Scout is Stannah’s economy model. Because it has a slim profile, it’s ideal for areas like basement stairs, and the anti-slip feature on the footrest is a nice safety feature. You can adjust the seat height as well. Safety sensors stop the lift if it detects an obstruction on the staircase.
ModelBest forWeight capacityBest feature
Stannah StarlaMost features350 lbs straight, 300 lbs curvedSeveral upholstery and rail options
Stannah SienaNarrow stairs350 lbs max, but can varyWide seat
Stannah SadlerLimited flexibility300 lbsErgonomic stand-up seat
Stannah ScoutAffordable option300 lbsAnti-slip footrest

Stannah stair lift cost

You can expect a straight staircase Stannah stairlift to cost anywhere from $2,800 to $5,000. Curved staircase Stannah stairlifts are closer to $8,500 to $14,000. This is a high price to pay for some people, but financing options are available. It’s essential to keep in mind that a stair lift will be a costly investment no matter where it is purchased, and Stannah stair lift prices are comparable to chair lifts from other reputable companies. Stannah recommends stair lift rentals for those looking for a short-term solution, for example, 18 months or less.

Do we recommend Stannah Stairlifts?

Yes. Stannah stair lifts are a good option for those looking for a better mobility option in their home. They have a wide range of lifts that cater to all needs, whether you want a basic model, a model loaded with features or a model for those with extensive mobility issues. We feel confident recommending Stannah stair lifts for your home.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

Our stairlift from Stannah is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's moving my wife from point A to point B and back again. I went on the internet, and I wasn't even sure because we were looking for something temporary. And I wasn't sure if there was such an animal, and we'd find out at least with Stannah, you can rent a staircase for a minimum of six months, which we did. We were happy with that. In fact, yesterday, for the first time, just to play it on the safe side, I shut the power off in fear of maybe during the night, we might lose power, and I didn't want to drain the battery. But we did not. I turned the switch on in the morning and my wife’s been using it with no problems at all.

The rep was very helpful on the phone. He was giving me the information. Then, we had someone come down who was part of the sales, and he gave me the price and all the particulars. He did an excellent job. Then two young fellas came on November 2nd and installed it. They were excellent. They were neat and knowledgeable. I couldn't have asked for better people to come. One was relatively new and one had a few years under his belt who is kind of like the supervisor. But they worked hand in hand. They did it within four to five hours and took me through the motions. We’re right now still in the process, using it daily. We're hoping that my wife won't have to. She's not really a true invalid. She just had some blood clots and they didn't want her to use the stairs.

We're going to play it by ear now. Come the end of six months, do we buy it and just have it stored away, or do we return it? That is kind of up in the air with us at this point. While it’s being rented, we're under warranty. Should I purchase it, I lose the first six months of the warranty because I had it during the rental. I know all that upfront and what it would cost on an annual basis if we were to keep it installed for both warranty on parts and labor. In fact, when my wife was in rehab, the rehab people were giving her some company. When she told them that we're renting it for six months, apparently, they were interested, and we gave them Stannah's name and phone number.

I use the product once or twice when I'm really lazy. But when I go to bed, I let my wife go up first. The way it's set, to get my body through without making a tumble down the stairs, I have to flip up the foot pad, and swivel the chair the other way, lift the arms up so that it gives me a little bit more room just to go up the last few steps up the top of the stairs. Downstairs, there's no problem, because coming down, I use that foot as the last step, and that's not a problem. But I don't think there's anything that could be done to make it any better. In the morning, when I get up, I pass the stair, and then I swing everything back into position, set the foot pad down, and just proceed down the stairs and wait for my wife to get up. She then just sits in it, swings and hits the button, and she comes down with no trouble.

I would give the product's quality a triple-A. I found out that the manufacturers are over in England, and it's a well-built thing. We haven't had a glitch at all with it. We haven’t called for service. We’re very pleased with it. The only thing was I was quoted $1,500 for the rental, and when the person who came took his tape measure on, he realized that they had to go an extra rail. So, it was 1,600. But it was no big deal. That wasn't even a glitch. When I described over the phone how many steps I had, I was quoted 1,500. But when the salesman physically came down and he saw it, they knew that they had to piece an additional rail to make the 15 steps with just a straight run. Stannah is a good product.

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

The experience with Stannah was good. The man that came the first time and the other one when I added the swing around were very nice. However, there's this little hump that happens once in a while and they said to not worry about it. The cost was 4,500 then another $500. I thought that other $500 would have made it easier for me to turn around but I have to still move my leg to get upstairs. For $500, it would have been better if it would have turned more to the left when you get to the top instead of me having to move my leg. That was the most difficult part and that was what I was disappointed in. I could have done it manually and I didn’t have to spend another $500. The guy explained it to me and I thought it was going to come all the way around then all I had to do was lift myself up.

It’s easier when you go downstairs. It's easy to pull up where my feet are then I have a walker down there when I get off. But I’m grateful for it. It gives me the ability to be able to go down and I can go out knowing that I don't have to do the steps anymore. I was very fearful of going out because I knew I had to come back and do the steps again. But I don't have to worry about that now. I go down, I come back, and I know the stairlift is gonna be there.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Hello Marie, Thank you for your review and feedback. A power swivel removes the need to use your feet to push yourself in order to turn, but since the chair moves separately from the footrest you will still need to lift your feet to follow your body and step off the stairlift. Another benefit of the swivel is the ability to turn the chair remotely when calling it. If you have any questions or concerns please give us a call. Our customer care number is: 1-888-272-4327. We're glad you can go up and down the steps without worry.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

My husband has not been outside the house for over a year because he couldn't get down the steps. He was a prisoner in our own home. We even had to cancel all the doctor appointments. Then COVID hit. I looked on the internet to try to find someone that could come to meet our needs. We had another company before that gave us an estimate for the stairlift, but we didn't follow through with it because it was very expensive, although we needed to have it done. Stannah Stairlifts is still very expensive. They came out and so far, have been meeting our needs. He's able to go to the doctors’ offices now. Although with COVID, there really isn't any place to go, but at least I can get him into the chair and down the steps, then transfer him from the stairlift into the wheelchair to get him to the vehicle, so that we can at least go for a ride and get some fresh air.

The salesman was very nice, informative, and he was all masked up for COVID. He didn't pressure us to purchase anything. We made the decision, and we called and said we were going forth with it. He said because it was a custom order ‘cause it has to wrap around the wall, it took about four and a half weeks. The gentlemen who installed it were very pleasant and they did everything. When they were done, the guy said something to me about putting a spring on the door ‘cause it wrapped around right where the front door is. I didn't know what he was talking about.

About a week afterwards, I realized that the rail was impeding opening the door all the way, which could be a fire hazard. In an emergency where we would need to evacuate, we would need to get that door to open all the way. I called Stannah and the salesman came out to look at it. Then, they sent out an individual a week later. Unfortunately, he came out by himself and he said that he was not comfortable doing it alone. He would have someone help him, so we set up another appointment. A week later, two guys came out and put a spring on the door. Now, the door opens all the way and it's been working fine.

We had an issue over the weekend. Our electricity kept popping. I went downstairs to check the circuits and when I was sitting downstairs after I flipped the switch, I saw this white flash and I thought it was coming from the stairlift itself. I got nervous, so I called Stannah on a Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. A gentleman called me back. He said he was concerned and that he would come out as it sounded like a safety issue. We are in Enfield, Connecticut it's an hour and 10 minutes or so drive for him on that day. He came and I showed him what I was talking about. As soon as I popped the switch, he realized that it was not the stairlift.

We had an electrical box on the ceiling and the white flashes were coming from that because he saw that metal was touching the wire box. He was not an electrician, but he didn't want to leave us in a risky situation. He turned the power off and moved the wire. He told us that we could leave the power off until we get an electrician, and we needed to get one sooner than later. He didn't charge us for that visit, which was fantastic. He left and I proceeded to call electricians, and I got it fixed this morning. So, the experience with the Stannah personnel overall has been wonderful. Everyone is very professional, polite, and respectful.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Susan for sharing your Stannah Stairlifts experience. We are happy to have been able to help you.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

My wife is disabled and she can't climb stairs. I have three stairlifts. One is outside, one goes from the first floor down into the sunken living room, and another goes from the first floor to the second floor. They've been wonderful and the cost is reasonable. But for some reason, I cannot find the two controls that control the outside stairlift.

The outdoor stairlift is straight. It's only about five or six stairs. The inside one from the first floor down into the living room is three stairs. And the one going upstairs is a double-curve. It curves around from the kitchen to the stairwell, up the stairs and around to a loft. The original installation of that one was a disaster because it was designed wrong and it wouldn't go around the corner. They installed it, tried it, and took it right back out. It took a month for them to get it remade properly. But it works now. I kinda designed things that way so the stairlifts do not get in the way. The only problem is the outside one that’s on the upper end is too high so my wife has a hard time getting into it. The seat is maybe two inches too high. What we have to do is not bring it up all the way then place her into it. It's because she's too short.

Regarding the stairlifts, I thought my grandchildren would have a lot more fun with them if I don’t. I would recommend Stannah to friends but I would also tell them about the problem that I had with the one stairlift that was designed wrong. But the stairlift came just in time for my wife to come home from the rehab. It was touch-and-go there. Another thing is that the reps didn’t tell me how not to lose the remote controls.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Joe for your feedback! We apologize for the inconvenience of having to wait for another stairlift, and are glad to have been able to correct your installation. In speaking with our service department, we have scheduled your seat adjustment. You may be glad to hear, you did not lose the outdoor remotes. Stannah outdoor stairlifts do not come with remotes as they have stationary posts from which you can call the lift. If you are in need of any other assistance please don't hesitate to call our service department at: 1-888-272-4327.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

My wife has a knee problem. Stannah was located close by and I was able to visit the showroom. The sales representative was good. I made the call to have someone come over to look, and he did. He knew the product. He explained a lot. I don't grasp that quickly, but he explained it. And then, he gave me two options, I made a decision on one, and then I made the decision to purchase.

The stairlift fits well there. It's not what I had envisioned because I thought it might go up a little higher and a bit closer to the wall. But we have a railing. Maybe if I were to remove the railing, but I didn't know if that would have any effect. Also, we did not have the outlet in the wall the day that the installers came. I must have misunderstood because I thought they would come and measure, and then come back to install. But they did both of those at the same time.

Then, I called the office two days later, after the electrician came. They were supposed to cover the wire with some sort of plastic cover. I gave them that message that everything was ready because the installer indicated on the work order that the plastic wasn't done over the plug because the outlet wasn't there. That hasn't been covered yet, even though I called to service. Maybe things went a little faster than I grasped because you have to understand, people who perform these duties on a day in, day out basis know exactly what to look for.

The other thing was, I had another question on the lift on the bottom. When they go up the steps, they have blocks that go every other step. In my eye, it looks like there is one missing, but it might be that it's not needed there. Also, I understand the chair doesn't do a 45-degree turn. It's maybe 40-degree, so that's okay. But other than that, it's working well.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Louis for sharing your feedback. The customer care team has reached out to you to schedule your cord to be covered. We are glad to hear your Stannah stairlift is working well.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

The sales visit from Stannah and the installation were very good. The only reason I had to call them was that we didn't get a payment book. Other than that, the quality of the stairlift has been good, so far. The straight stairlift fits all right into the stairwell. If you put the arms and chair up, the space fine. I don't have to go up and down steps all day long with it.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thanks Mary for your five-star review! Payments are automatically processed as is written on your Order Form, no need for invoices or a book. Other than that, we're happy your Stannah stairlift is serving you well!

The Stannah Team

Original review: Jan. 3, 2021

As far as we're concerned, there is no other stairlift. For years, we were saying, “We need to get a Stannah stairlift.” With COVID, my interaction with the sales rep was very brief. He wasn't here longer than five minutes and I already had my mind made up anyway, so there was no selling. Installation was seamless as well. I have a straight stairlift and I'm absolutely happy with it. It's perfect, and it's good quality. It's made life easier too. It takes 51 seconds from the first floor to the second and that's all we needed. Stannah is a great company. They make sure that everything is to your liking from start to finish and they're very COVID-cautious. I have also recommended them to my friends, but unfortunately, they don't think they need it yet.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thanks Lori for taking the time to share your Stannah Stairlift review. We're happy to have been able to make life easier for you as you continue living at home. Many people wait until they've had an injury before they decide to purchase a stairlift, so the response from your friends is no surprise. Thanks so much for recommending us and your enthusiasm for Stannah stairlifts.

The Stannah Team

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

My wife got a disability, so we needed the stairlift together. I looked around and found Stannah. We called them, booked the installation, and we were done. Stannah installed the stairlift back in November. There is one thing that they didn't install, which is a door closer. The guy said he would be back, but it has been quite a few weeks. Other than that, the thing works fine. I’d recommend Stannah.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

When the rep came, I was working and had to answer phone calls so I really rushed him. But he was wonderful about getting me the information in an abbreviated way. The fellow who came to install the four-stair lift was fabulous. He took his time, explained everything, and showed us how to work it. He answered every question we had and gave us resources if we had questions going forward. We love the stairlift. We also have an Acorn but I like the Stannah way better. I'm satisfied. It made things easier for us to access our whole home. We have an elevated living room, so with the stairlift, the woman who lives with us can now be inclusive and kind of participate in the things we all do. So it's a really nice feature to have that ability for her.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Jean for such a great review of your Stannah stairlift! We're glad your housemate can now be involved in more things with you and others without having to worry about the stairs. That's a great feeling!

The Stannah Team

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

A friend of ours did some research. My wife asked her to do some research and it was good. And she read an article in the Daily News. So, Stannah's publicity is working. The install team was efficient, fast, left without leaving a mark around the work when found. So, very neat on the worksite too, which is always nice. The stairlift was expensive, but I couldn't make the stairs anymore. It's a good piece of equipment. However, I would like the stairlift to be a little faster. You crawl up the stairs on its seat. But it's very smooth. A couple of boys live upstairs. They love to ride it and play with it. I would recommend to anyone who needs it that that is a proper and appropriate help, and quiet, a pleasure to go up and go down. It's nice when things do what they are supposed to.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Len for such a great review! We're glad you and others are enjoying you new Stannah stairlift.

Stannah Stairlifts Q&A

We spoke to Martin Stevenson, head of U.S. marketing for Stannah Stairlifts, to ask him more about the company and its products.

What problem is Stannah Stairlifts trying to solve?
    Stannah Stairlifts are designed to make it easier and safer to get up and downstairs, allowing those with mobility issues to continue living independently at home.
    What sets Stannah Stairlifts apart from the competition?
    Our company is unique and distinguishable from our competitors by the quality of our materials, the practicality of our designs and the reliability and range of our product offerings.
    What needs do your products fulfill, and how does Stannah Stairlifts fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    Our products meet the needs of individuals suffering from chronic or temporary mobility issues by providing a means of travel, up and down stairs, without the physical and emotional stress that can be associated with the activity. Our business model and product offerings are designed with the user in mind, emphasizing a person-centric approach to customer service and utilizing the latest ergonomic design features.
    How does your company measure success?
    Our company measures success through a sustained reputation of excellence in safety, quality of service and product design. We regularly seek out customer feedback in order to best meet the changing needs of our consumers.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
    One of the most common misconceptions about stairlifts is that they’re all generally the same. Most people don’t understand the differences in safety features and the ways in which subtle improvements can make a profound difference.
    How has Stannah Stairlifts changed in the last five years?
    We’ve recently released a new line of stairlifts with better rail designs, more feedback and enhanced options for the consumer. This new design will provide our customers with a better stairlift that is both easier to use and more efficient to service.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Stannah Stairlifts?
    We’d like all of our customers to know that we stand by our product. We have one of the best warranties in the industry, and we’re proud of our service record and the reliability of our products. We’re constantly growing and looking to improve, but always with the end-user in mind. That’s why we take care in all that we do and aim to ensure that our customers can rely on us as a company that’s always true to our word.
    Have Stannah Stairlifts received any awards your customers would like to know about?
    While Stannah has received many awards over the years, one milestone that we’re extremely proud of is that we’ve sold over 600,000 stairlifts worldwide. We believe that our level of experience is unmatched in the industry and really sets us apart.
    How have Stannah Stairlifts grown or evolved?
    We’ve been an independent, family-owned business since the mid-1860s. Since that time, our company has grown exponentially, becoming a world leader in the lifting industry. We were also among the earliest companies to feature stairlifts. Since then, we’ve been at the forefront of product advancement and improvement.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information