4.7/5 (166 ratings)
Author picture
Written by
Edited by

About Stannah Stairlifts

Stannah Stairlifts provides stair lifts to customers throughout the U.S. and Canada to help them stay mobile and independent as they age in place. Its offerings include straight, curved and outdoor stair lift models. Stannah Stairlifts has remained a family-owned and -operated company since it was founded by Joseph Stannah in 1867.

Pros

• Straight, curved and outdoor designs
    • Rental option
    • Special model for limited flexibility

Cons

• Some options vary by dealer
    • No weight limits over 350 pounds

Bottom Line

Stannah Stairlifts does a good job catering to the mobility needs of its clients. Multiple models can work on both straight and curved staircases, and the Sadler can accommodate people that have trouble sitting.

Top Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Verified

The sales rep came out and explained all the different prices, and the different options of rental, buy, and used units. He gave me a price quote and different options of payment....

Verified

I had contacted Stannah and we coordinated a time. The sales representative came right out. He was wonderful and very knowledgeable, friendly and professional. ... My father's ver...

Information from Stannah on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Stannah is committed to the safety of its customers and employees. The company is offering free quotes through phone or video appointments to help you get the information you need without an in-person evaluation.

The company is doing everything possible to keep you and your family safe during the installation process. This includes following the Centers for Disease Control’s guidelines, eliminating direct contact and utilizing protective gear to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Employees maintain a safe distance during the installation process and thoroughly wipe down your new stair lift after installation. The company has also transitioned into using digital documents over paper.

In addition to these guidelines, Stannah is ensuring any employee exposed to COVID-19 or who is showing symptoms or feeling unwell stays home and self-quarantines.

What is Stannah Stairlifts?

Stannah Stairlifts is a company offering stair lifts in all 50 states and internationally. It sells straight and curved stair lifts for both indoor and outdoor use.

Stannah has over 150 years of experience with making people’s lives easier and giving them back their independence. Its team has won nine industry awards for its safety and health practices.

How does Stannah Stairlifts work?

With Stannah, you have the option to purchase, rent or rent to own a curved or straight stair lift, depending on your needs. For the most part, the right one for you depends on the shape of your staircase and the weight limit required.

Stannah’s purchase process starts with you getting a quote either online, over the phone or through an in-person consultation. If you decide to buy, Stannah will later install your stair lift for you.

You have the option to purchase directly from Stannah or from one of its authorized dealers. Dealers set their own prices and package options. In some cases, you may come out ahead through a dealer, while buying direct is a better option at other times.

Stannah stair lift models

Stannah offers the following models at the time of publishing:

• The Starla: The Starla is Stannah’s most customizable model — it comes in a range of upholsteries and light or dark wood trim. It also features a call button, which allows you to press a button and have the chair come to you, and safety sensors to keep the chair from running over obstructions or taking off before you’re fully seated.
    • The Siena: Stannah designed the Siena with space in mind. This compact model works well in narrow staircases, and its curved seat back helps keep riders comfortable. The armrests are slightly longer than ones in other models for added support, and the seat is also slightly wider. A retractable seat belt fits into the arms of the chair.
    • The Sadler: The Sadler model is designed for people with limited flexibility. It’s a stand-up chair meant to be leaned against, so there isn’t as much weight on your back, hips and knees. The seat is height-adjustable for comfort and non-slip for extra safety. It also produces gentle support beneath the cushion when you sit down and straightens your back by tilting up slightly when you stand up.
    • The Scout: The Scout is Stannah’s economy model. Because it has a slim profile, it’s good for narrow areas like basement stairs, and it has an anti-slip footrest. You can adjust the seat height as well. Safety sensors stop the lift if it detects an obstruction on the staircase.
    • The Outdoor Stairlift: This model is designed to be used outside and withstand the elements. Its seat is made from UV-resistant plastic, and the entire model is weather-resistant. The Outdoor Stairlift can operate in temperatures from 14 to 105 degrees. It also comes with a protective cover and a removable key for added security.
    ModelGood forWeight capacityStandout feature
    StarlaCustomization350 pounds (straight) or 300 pounds (curved)Multiple upholstery and rail options
    SienaNarrow stairs350 pounds (straight) or 300 pounds (curved)Compact design
    SadlerPeople with limited flexibility300 poundsStand-up seat
    ScoutSmaller budgets300 poundsLow price
    OutdoorOutdoor use300 poundsWeather resistance

Stannah Stairlifts cost

Stannah doesn’t publish its prices online, so you’ll have to get a quote from the company for exact pricing. You can get a quote by having a Stannah representative come out to your home, calling the company or answering some questions on Stannah’s website. These quotes include the cost of installation.

Stannah does publish some general pricing info you can use as a guideline, though. According to Stannah, you can expect a straight staircase stair lift to cost anywhere from $3,400 to $5,500, with most purchases in the $3,500 to $5,000 range. Curved staircase stair lifts cost between $8,500 and $14,000.

These prices may be intimidating, but financing options are available. If you only need a stair lift for a limited time, consider a rental.

Stannah Stairlifts FAQ

Where are Stannah Stairlifts available?
    There are authorized Stannah Stairlifts dealers in all 50 states. You can check out a full list of these dealers on its website.
    Does Stannah Stairlifts offer a warranty?
    Yes. If you buy directly from Stannah Stairlifts, you receive a warranty that covers things like on-call service, critical component coverage and part replacement.

If you buy a stair lift from one of its authorized dealers, it will likely also come with a warranty, but it will differ from dealer to dealer on what that coverage entails.

Does Stannah Stairlifts offer installation services?
    Yes. When buying directly from Stannah, the cost of installation is included in the quote. This installation takes about four hours total and includes setup and cleanup. If you buy from a dealer, installation details can vary.
    Can I buy a Stannah stair lift directly from its site?
    Yes. While this won’t allow you to see the stair lift in person, it does come with the company’s standard benefits, like a warranty and installation.
    Can I rent a stair lift from Stannah?
    Yes, Stannah offers rental stair lifts. These are a great option for people who are recovering from surgery or providing caretaker services to a loved one for a short period of time. Six months is the standard rental period, but customers also have a rent-to-own option as well.

Do we recommend Stannah Stairlifts?

Stannah stair lifts are a good option for people looking to age in place and maintain their independence at home. Stannah has a wide range of stair lifts that cater to a variety of needs, whether you want a basic model, a model loaded with features or a model for those with more extensive mobility issues. Just keep in mind that some features and services aren’t the same if you buy direct or from a dealer, and some may differ from dealer to dealer.

Stannah Stairlifts Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stannah Stairlifts?

Original review: July 4, 2022

Stannah's sales rep and installation team were very professional, pleasant and easy to talk to. I had no idea that the work could be completed so quickly. The stairlift failed a couple of times, but by reading their little booklet and by understanding how it works a bit, I was able to get it going without calling anybody. It's worked perfectly the last few days. The only thing is the way it's marketed. I was not told that there was an additional thing I could do for quite a bit of money. It's $500, which automates the turning of the device when it reaches either the top or the bottom. It was not mentioned from the start. The saleswoman who came out did not say anything about it whatsoever. We discovered it.

When the installers put the product in, the stairs are a little narrow. So, if it gets to the bottom of the stairs and I have to get out or it leaves me without it turning, it's awkward and uncomfortable. I was told, at that point, by the two guys that were installing it that they had a fix for that and it is $500. I felt that that was a little bit of a scam and that I should have been told about that as part of the original package. I also had to contact the saleswoman about something in connection with the job, and a couple of times when I tried to reach her and left a message, I did not get a call back one time. Other than that, I had it done and I'm very pleased with the result.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Mr. K for your feedback. We are sorry if there was any miscommunication about the powered swivel. This is a key optional feature we advertise regularly online and in print media. It was certainly not our intention to hide this information from you or anyone else. Otherwise, we're glad to hear your stairlift is working well and you are satisfied with it. If you have any additional concerns regarding your installation please reach out to our service department: 1-888-272-4327.

The Stannah Team

Get buying tips about Stair Lifts delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2022

Stannah Stairlifts was local. They responded almost immediately. And within a couple of weeks, the chair was installed. The salesperson was here and talked to us about the chair, how it would fit and measured. Two weeks later, a gentleman named Wayne came and installed. It took him four hours because he was meticulous about everything. In between, we have to have an electrician come in and put an extra outlet in close to where we needed it done. And we might need to call him back for a bit of an adjustment.

We had to take out one piece of a handrail, which is a bit difficult for me when I'm traversing the stairs after having gotten used to having a handrail on both sides. But it's only seven stairs, and two stairs where there is a missing handrail for me, because I can use a counter at the top in order to maneuver. So, taking that piece of rail out has not been beneficial to me as a non-user of the stair at this point. But since I'm looking toward potential knee replacement surgery, I may have to use the stairlift anyway.

One thing that is annoying is the fact that it beeps when it goes down to the lower level and is sitting there for a while. On occasion though, it will turn itself off for a bit then it turns itself back on. That is more annoying than anything else because for me to bypass this thing, I have to lift the arms up a bit because it takes up a little space. And it really needs to be down at its lowest level in order for me to more easily use the stairway when it is not in use. My husband uses it, but he has to send the chair back down to the lower level for me to go back up the stairs. We're getting used to it. But the stairway is a traditional tract home, so it's not a very wide stair. Also, my husband doesn't use the foot rest. He has trouble lifting his legs and letting his feet dangle as opposed to putting them on the foot rest is easier for him to maneuver than using the foot rest. Other than that, it seems to be working fine.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Kathryn for sharing your experience. We're glad your stairlift is working well and providing a safe and comfortable way for your husband to get up and downstairs. The retractable rail will beep to let you know it is not charging in the down position. We're glad to hear you are getting used to your new stairlift and it's safety features.

The Stannah Team

Original review: March 11, 2022

I liked the convenience that Stannah provided. They were very prompt in coming out to assess my situation for need and they were also completely forthcoming. Their sales rep helped in every way. He answered all questions that I asked him. He was honest about how much the stairlift was going to cost and how long we were going to have to wait because of the pandemic and the shipping.

When I called the company itself to get tracking information, the girls that I spoke with were both understanding and professional and took immediate action to find out where the stuff was. The stairlift is actually put together in England. With COVID, there was a delay in getting there. The people that I talked with in expediting and warehousing in Franklin took immediate attention to it. Within a couple of days, they were able to get us the most up to date information. Everybody that I had involvement with at that company was spot on.

There was a very small amount of interaction with the installers then they got right to work. The only time that they stopped was when we asked them questions or if they had any comments about what they were doing. Other than that, they were very attentive to the task at hand. We had the stairlift went down two flights of stairs. One went down to a foyer, curved, then went down the other flight of stairs. It's perfect and it does not impede traffic coming up or going down.

The stairlift made life immeasurably better. My husband is in a wheelchair, so getting down the stairs on his own was impossible. The stairlift has made a difference between being in prison and being able to get out. It’s been a life-changer. There is ease getting into the chair, getting down the stairs to the lower level, and getting out the door.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Paula for your 5-star Stannah Stairlifts review! We're so glad to hear your overall experience was informative, honest and responsive. We happy your stairlift is improving your life so much!

The Stannah Team

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

The sales rep from Stannah was very nice and informative. He came out while my mom was still in the hospital and I met him with my dad. He chatted with us about what was going on with my mom and what we were looking for as far as what she would need. Then my dad had a little conversation about older cars so it was nice to have that little bit of the personal connection with him. The guy who came out to install the stairlift was amazing as well. He was very courteous, professional and helpful. After he was done installing it, he stayed with us to make sure that my husband and I knew how to work it, where the battery was and general maintenance that the person whose house it is in could do. He made sure my mom knew how to use it and that she was comfortable in it. He was very nice and knowledgeable. So, we enjoyed every step that we had to go through to get it.

My mother loves the stairlift. She was so excited to be able to go upstairs again and to be able to take a shower because her bathroom is upstairs. She was excited to be able to start using her toilet again because she had a commode downstairs since she couldn't get up the stairs. She was excited to be able to take care of her cat. The experience with Stannah was very pleasant. Everybody that I spoke to or interacted with was very helpful and answered any questions that came up to the best of their ability. If they didn't have the answer, they got me the answer as soon as they could.

If we ever need another chairlift, I would definitely go with Stannah again. My dad was talking with the sales rep who came out about looking into one for his house. My parents are divorced and they literally live eight houses apart but the way my dad's house is set up, his living quarters are upstairs. You go in his front door and you have a door to go into the back part of his basement, and then you have a door to go into his garage. Then you go up the stairs and his actual house is upstairs where he lives. He battled cancer and he is in remission but he is getting older and things are getting a little bit harder for him. Because he also has COPD. So he was talking to the guy about, when the time comes, maybe going with Stannah for himself.

Stannah Stairlifts response

Thank you Ms. S for your 5-star Stannah Stairlifts review! We're so glad to hear that your mother loves her new Stannah stairlift and is so excited to get back to doing the things she loves and needs to do. When your dad is ready we'll be here to answer all his questions and provide the same level of service!

The Stannah Team

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

I've been using my Stannah stairlift almost every day. I use it about 10 times a day going down to the basement. It works well. You have to have a really wide stairway in your house to make it a little bit easy to use. I have two stairways that have them. One goes to the second floor. That's a pretty good one. The cellar stairs is a little bit not as wide, but I could go down. It's just a little bit more difficult.

The Stannah salesman came around and gave me a price. I negotiated a deal in the beginning. I told him I was gonna wait. Then as we got closer to Christmas, I said, “If you want to have some Christmas present monies, then we can negotiate a little bit.” We came down on his price. He was good. He knew his things, and everything came out right.

Two installers came out and they were pretty good. One doesn't talk very much. The other one's better. We had some differences of opinion on how to install these units, and the one for the second floor. They started installing it and they resolved it. We came to agreement, and they did what I wanted them to do, and it wasn't that big a deal. They just said that they weren't electricians. Then they cut some plastic molding that hides the wires. They wouldn't cut right. So, the guy had to come back. He came last week with some new molding and installed it. I tell everybody about Stannah. We also had a Stannah stairlift when my mother was sick, and we were happy with it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

I like that Stannah's footprint is a little bit slimmer so that the other people have enough space to use the stairs. I like Stannah's mechanism. I also read about it earlier and I saw that people also said it last long time. I sometime get impatient that the stairlift takes so much time to go upstairs, but I don't think it is Stannah's fault. I have seen other stairlift and they do the same thing. They're probably some kind of regulation to make it safe. So I decided that I have to be more patient and use it. Its performance is nothing extraordinary, but it is what I expected it to be.

I like that the stairlift is a pretty sturdy and dependable thing. But I don’t like about exactly the model I bought is the tin kind of thing on which the chair is sliding, which is open to the nature. So I have to tell everybody not to touch that thing. But it will ultimately accumulate dust towards the grease. Also, I feel that this model has a very minimal shake kind of thing when I’m sitting in that. It’s not an absolutely smooth journey. This jiggity thing happens a little bit more when it is taking the turn. Initially, I thought something wrong with the stairlift, but then I realized, "No, that's how it works." I'm not a very scardy-cat person, but for somebody who is completely disabled, it will be a little bit not a very pretty fantastic experience.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Stannah's rep was excellent, and the installers were very professional, very kind, and answered all my questions. I got a curved stairlift from them and it fits my home very well. But if I want to buy a refrigerator, the stairlift is going to be in the way if I try to bring the refrigerator up to the second floor. Other than that, I purchased the stairlift for my mom and she's very pleased with it.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

The representative that came to my mother's house was wonderful. The gentleman that installed the stairlift was respectful, patient and clean. He did a wonderful job. I would use Stannah again. The type of service that was provided and the way they treated my mother was white-glove throughout. They were exceptional. I'm hoping they'll call me to ask if I want to buy it or if I wanna continue renting it. If they could call me before we make that decision, that would be wonderful.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

My neighbor had Stannah and recommended it. I got a curved stairlift from them too. A rep came and explained it to us. He also did measurements. He was very good and nice. The stairlift is as good as it could for the spot that it had to go in. The installers were fine. But when the stairlift got to the top of our stairs, it doesn't fit right. They're making another one to replace it. Other than that, it works fine. It was good for me but wasn't good for anyone that didn't have to use the stairlift. It was hard to get to the top. Where the chair landed at the top, there wasn't enough room to get by it to get to the hallway. They're extending it more into the hallway so it clears the stairway.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

Stannah is a name that's been around for so long that I trusted them that's why I went through them. I needed a way to get my ill wife immediately from the garage, which had a four step difference into the house. That's why I went with a stairlift. A rep came and he was top shelf. He was a young gentleman and he was really nice, prompt, and knew the product inside and out.

One person did the installation and he didn't stop until it was done. It was great. Stannah made it a point to make sure that I understood how to use the starirlift as well as the ins and outs. If I had any questions, they gave me more information on the unit. It was very helpful. Unfortunately, my wife never got to use it as she passed away. But I decided to leave the one in the garage where it was because it would bring more value to the home.

I had also ordered a larger lift to go from the first floor to our bedroom area on the second floor. I asked Stannah to take that one back and they did. They refunded me 100% of my overall value. I was very happy with them. They had a seven-day absolute guarantee on whether I wanted the stairlift for any reason, and I said, "Quite honestly, I would rather not have it." They took everything out of the home and I saw a check in a couple of days. For the situation, this was the most pleasant that I could go through. Everybody was very knowledgeable and did not waste my time.

Stannah Stairlifts Company Information