3.00/5
  • 1 star
Based on 122 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT and WI

Sunrun Video
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

169 Sunrun Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

It's been a year since I went had Sunrun installed and today I got a $1614.98 bill from PGE for what is called the true bill. We called PGE and they said that we didn't use any more electricity than prior year. They said we did not have enough panels for the size of our house. Called Sunrun and all the customer service requirements could say is that we are using more electricity than last year. I am looking for a way to get out of the contract as the sales representative lied when we set up the panels. I was told that the panels would cover 80% of our electric bill but now we have found out that the panels only cover 40% of the electric.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, LuRay. It is disheartening to hear you believe you were misled. We understand this can impact your overall experience with Sunrun. It is important for us to be honest in our approach and provide an agreement that is transparent and easy to read. We sent you a private message so we can discuss this further matter further.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

My electrical bill is higher with Sunrun’s solar panels than it is without them. If I had my panels removed and just paid PGE what power I use, my bill would be cheaper. How can that be. Either the promise of solar power is wrong or Sunrun is a scam! I tend to believe the latter...

Sunrun response

Thanks for your feedback, Jon. Our aim is to provide a product that meets your expectations! Our number one goal is to provide clean energy but that should include some savings. We are sorry to hear this has not been your experience. A Specialist has sent you a private message with more details. We want to work towards a resolution together!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Our brother-in-law has solar panels through Harmon Electric which is Sunrun’s customer. They’re one of the installers and promoters of Sunrun’s product. We like to save money so we called Harmon Electric and they came here along with Sunrun. We were decided on going with Harmon no matter what because we had three very strong recommendations about dealing with Harmon and Sunrun as a team. And so we got enrolled and it was straightforward, professional and well-done. That’s what we were looking for. Since the installation, we’ve only received one electric company invoice but, right off the bat, it showed us saving some amount of money. It looks good to us.

We’ve already recommended Sunrun to our neighbor and they’re checking into it. The only thing that I’m concerned about is that we have a pigeon problem at our house. It’s not just one or two pigeons and we’re paying a lot of money to try to eliminate the problem. We mentioned to the installers that we wanted a screen protection around the solar panels so that the pigeons couldn’t get a foothold down in the panels. We were told that they don’t do that anymore because it wasn’t really that big a problem and that if it becomes a problem, they will take care of it at no cost to me.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Leslie. We appreciate your kind words. If you have referred family and friends make sure you are eligible for our referral program by visiting mysunrun.com. In addition, please reach out to us if you continue to have issues with wildlife to further discuss your options.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Haven't been able to see my production online. Contacted Sunrun and they told me to be patient. This was 2 weeks ago. Regret using them as I have had many issues with non-working inverters. It took months to correct the issues.

Sunrun response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Jon. We certainly understand how frustrating service issues can be and want to assist you in getting this resolved. A Specialist has sent you a direct message so we can work together on this issue.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

We signed a 20-year lease with Sunrun last year and while talking to the rep, we thought the offer was too good to be true. The rep told us that we would pay the same price for the solar panels for the length of the lease. My husband and I asked him repeatedly if the rate would stay the same and he kept saying the rate would stay at $170 for the length of the lease.

I just found out that the rate increases 2.9% every year, which means by the time the lease is ending, we will have to pay $300/month which is way more than what we pay for electric in non-summer months. I would advise anyone against leasing solar panels. I talked to a customer service rep and she just said that the lease indicates the 2.9% increase. The rep was in our home for more than 2 hours trying to sign us up because the system was so slow and by the end of the process we were exhausted and ready for him to leave. He never mentioned a rate increase and we didn't read every line, but now I regret choosing Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Monica. It is certainly disheartening to hear about your dissatisfaction so early in our relationship. Our goal will always be to perform with the utmost integrity because of the product we sell. We pride ourselves in making our agreements as transparent as possible. We are sorry to hear this was not your experience. A Specialist has sent you a direct message to discuss the matter further.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Back in May my neighbors referred me to Sunrun solar. 9 panels for house 2 extra for my shop. After design team was done configuring my usage I ended up with 19 panels with my salesman James telling me I'm most definite getting a panel upgrade. They came out, installed solar panels with NO panel upgrade then I called Sunrun which did nothing but give me the runaround. My salesman James finally called me. Told me they would be able to give me a 750.00 gift Visa to help pay for the upgraded panel that was going to cost me 5000.00 + then at this point they wanted to upgrade my main breaker for panel.

They submitted all paperwork with city of Phx & APS. Couple weeks later came out with inspectors standing there. Installed a 150 amp which my box was only certified for 125 amp. Immediately city of Phx inspector RED TAGGED BOX. At this time it's late July in order for Sunrun to get new permits. It's 3 weeks out early Aug. They come out to install new upgraded box. Now I'm behind their pig because of my salesman and design team not doing their job. More permits are required. Now it's Sept. At this point my neighbors across the street and next to me also got Sunrun my (neighbor) across the street got everything installed and was waiting for APS end of Sept. He's up and running solar. ME I'm still waiting for Sunrun.

FINALLY in Oct. I get the okay for APS to come out, install their meter so I can finally run solar. Because of all these mishaps I was at the end of the list APS. Late Nov my (neighbor) next to me got all his panels and boxes. All he needed was APS meter. FINALLY on Nov. 6th APS came out. Installed their meter. I'm up and running. I NEVER received my 750.00 Visa. I took off work 6 different days for all this. Summertime long gone. My neighbors up and running 1.5 months before me and he was 1.5 months behind me. James my salesman, Scott his boss, William the head project designer COMPLETELY HAD no communication which didn't hurt them. I'm just a nobody in their world.

I only had 2 people which I won't mention their names that were very helpful through this whole nightmare with Sunrun. If I was to do it again I would of stayed not doing solar. Sunrun communication skills with their customers IS VERY VERY POOR. Between text, email, phone conversation with the 3 people I've named I have plenty of evidence to take them to court and that's exactly what I'm going to do. Please look into your solar company before going forward.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Brad. We hate to hear that your experience was a frustrating one, and want to assure you that is not how we do business. We would be happy to look into this for you to see if we can assist with getting this resolved to your satisfaction. A specialist has sent you a direct message.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

By the time we completed the inspection by our township and electric company, I came to find out that Sungevity had filed for bankruptcy. A few months later, we received about a 100 page document stating that they filed for bankruptcy and it was final. After that, nothing for months. We waited for the company taking over our account to contact us regarding the transfer and how to pay. Last week, we received a letter stating that we are 90 days past due on our account and we owe Sunrun $294. If we do not pay by the time we get to 120 days past due, our service will be disconnected. At this point, I Google the company contact information and called them to verify what the letter is saying. When I called and informed them that I never received anything from them indicating my account was transferred to them, they said I would have been able to see it on myaccount.sunrun.com.

My question is, how would I know to do this? I never received a correspondence telling me to do so. So, the customer service representative apologized and emailed my new account information to me. He then transferred me to the person handling my account which is currently in collection. She told me that my concern about never receiving a welcome letter or bill for the last three months is neither here nor there. She said that all we need to discuss now is when can I pay this past due amount. At this time, I am now 119 days past due and my service will soon be disrupted. I have had accounts transferred between banks before, but I would get a letter welcoming me to the new company and inform me of how to pay my bill. I only correspondence from Sunrun was the one I received last week to tell me that I am past due. This is not fair. I am willing to pay my bill but this is not fair. $294 without warning is not fair.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Our nuclear power plant is getting ready to close so we figured the bills are going to go through the ceiling. It was because of the Costco backing that we chose Sunrun and enrolling with them was a fine experience. They kept us informed through the whole procedure which took about five weeks from start to finish. They gave us updates on where the things were with the building permit, etc. I had an issue and I contacted the site supervisor, and he fixed it immediately.

We heard a story about a customer for solar panels (not a customer of Sunrun) who found out at the end of the year that their solar panels have not been working correctly when they got a $1,000 bill from the electrical company. So, I contacted Sunrun over the weekend and told them this story. A rep emailed me and gave me different ways that I can look to ensure that our panels are working correctly. It was a quick response and I was very pleased with that. He reacted proactively and responded to me right away so, so far, so good. I am extremely happy with my decision to go solar and would definitely recommend Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Darlene, thank you for the wonderful words! Setting the standard in outstanding service is something we (seriously) obsess over! We are so excited to welcome you to the Sunrun family!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

It took 5 months to receive my first invoice. Now I'm receiving a $15 charge for ACH non-compliance. I pay by ACH but Sunrun wants control. Have sent multiple emails. Sunrun does not respond. Good luck if need help, it's all about $ in their pocket. Billing help and customer service does not exist.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Ed. We certainly hate to hear this. We want to help with your situation and initiate our goal of providing a positive customer experience. A specialist has sent you a direct message. Please respond to it so we can get to the bottom of your issue.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

We’ve been looking at solar energy for a while and we have had appointments with other solar companies. Every time I asked them questions, a lot of them didn’t know how to answer it or said they had to call their manager to answer the question. Sunrun was going around the area and we set up an appointment with them. Paulson came over. We didn’t know much about solar energy and Paulson explained it thoroughly. Also, it’s good for the environment as well as reducing our bills. I had many questions for him and he was a very nice man.

Enrolling was a pleasant experience and everything went well. They advised what panels would be feasible for the roof that we had, not trying to oversell and put more panels than needed. We live in an incorporated village and the people who came out for the permits did the paperwork that needed to be done. Everything was done according to the regulations of the town. When something was going on with the dial, Sunrun immediately sent somebody out to go look at it and they resolved it.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your feedback, Rose! You've brightened our day. It's great to hear you are loving your solar through Sunrun. We want to welcome you to the family and thank you for helping us in our mission to create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

We could rent the solar energy equipment with Sunrun and the rental was exactly what we needed so we enrolled with them. We almost went with someone else until we realized that we would be dead before we ever benefited from it and we were going to pay more money than what we were paying for electricity then. When we finally decided that we were going to do it, Sunrun set up appointments for them to come out and look at our roof to make sure that it was okay. Then they did a drawing of what the panels were going to be like, turned everything over to my home owner’s association and once everything got approved, they came and put the panels up. So their process was pretty simple and we didn’t have to do anything.

Their rep helped us all the time and he came out after it was all done just to see how everything was. Then we ran into him in a restaurant one day afterward and we talked a little bit more about it. He was great and we were completely happy with him. The rest of the guys did a good job when they were out but we had to follow up with them to paint the stuff on the roof. It's silver and they came out and painted it black forest. Other than that, we were very very happy with our experience with Sunrun and we're liking our decision to go solar, so far.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Nancy! We aim to provide the best customer experience that meets your expectations! We are constantly working to improve all aspects of the company including our installations. We are thrilled to welcome you to the Sunrun family!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

DO NOT GO WITH SUNRUN!!! I usually don't write reviews but I have never been so upset and frustrated in my life. I spent an hour or so on the phone with a lady crying trying to understand why my electric bill is twice as high a month. All the lady could explain is that I'm apparently using a lot of electricity (which is not true). I'm using more electric than what the Panels are producing and basically there's nothing they can do financially for me. I'm apparently stuck with this damn company for the next 20 years and if we don't pay, our credit goes bad! I feel like I've been tricked into this company and was promised to pay appropriately $130 a month, now I'm paying $230-240 a month for electric!? I don't get it and I want to sue this company for fraud.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Lani. We are sorry to hear about your frustration. Being communicative and helpful are so important to us at the point of sale, it is disheartening to hear this was not the case for you. A Specialist has sent you a private message. Please respond with the necessary details, so we can figure this out.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I had a high monthly SDG&E bill. Sunrun responded within a couple of weeks and they were warrantied by Costco. The agents were courteous and kind, but they did not answer all of my questions and had to refer me to other agents. Also, SDG&E should be there at the same time when the final inspection is done. Other than that, I've been happy and I've had a great experience so far.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Laila! We sincerely appreciate you sharing your positive experience. We can certainly use your feedback to improve. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to turn things around. Welcome to the Sunrun family!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

My electric bill was running at $50-$200 a month so I was looking to go for solar energy. I also have a family that has solar and it is helpful and gives them clean energy. I saw Sunrun in Costco and I read reviews and checked them out before using them, and they’re a great solar energy company. They have very competitive prices and also, all members of Costco get cash back from them, too. It was easy enrolling with Sunrun. Their sales representative was very friendly, and the installers were fantastic! I really felt like I will be sitting home for a whole day, but they came at 8:30 and even though they did 38 panels, they were done in a few hours and left at 1:00. I was amazed! And they're a nice group of people. I already talked to a couple of people about Sunrun, and most probably, they will be using them.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Farzad! We really enjoyed reading your review! We are so thrilled to hear about your satisfaction with choosing to go solar with Sunrun. We are in hopes that the rest of your experience with us will exceed that. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Have your lawyer on speed dial if you are dealing with this company. They improperly billed, customer service admitted it, sent it to their billing department to fix it (they must be using an abacus because it has been months), and have now sent their collections department after me when they actually owe me! Every time I call a lovely person tells me they are going to fix it and it never gets done. If you have options I highly recommend finding another company!

Sunrun response

Thanks for your feedback, Todd. One of our goals for Sunrun is to be customer obsessed and clearly it sounds like this has not been your experience. A Specialist has sent you a private message. We would like to investigate this further and see what we can do to fix it. We have sent you a private message.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I’m under PG&E and I live in an area where the utility bills run very high. I’ve done some homework before and knew some friends who have solar and were very positive about it so I thought I’d take a look. I might have filled out an inquiry in Costco which they forwarded to a salesperson. Then she came out and I spent about an hour with her talking about various elements of the process and what the savings would be. After that, I went online and did some research on solar companies in Northern California, looking for a larger company and for one that had a good reputation. I know those solar companies can come and go quickly but Sunrun seemed to have a strong reputation. They were rated either first or second in California so that closed the deal and I'm very satisfied with the decision.

There was one brief hiccup where there was a change in the way it was installed from the original plan. The house failed the second inspection but to Sunrun's credit, they were out later that afternoon making the changes so, in essence, I really didn’t lose any time. I’m not sure how much of the issue laid with Sunrun per se or with the inspectors though. There were so many different people I had to sign off and things to check on but all in all, every time there was an issue, Sunrun was right on it.

I've had solar installed since September 1st and there’s nothing more fun than watching a meter run backwards. They're smart metered out here and it means we're basically running on solar and not on traditional. Now that the seasons are changing, the amount of sunlight we get changes so it’s interesting watching the amount of solar power generated on a week to week basis. Sunrun was a little on the higher end of the pricing but they have some benefits because of working through Costco so I actually got some savings back. Then there are huge tax credits too, which makes it very much worthwhile. Then there's also the environmental aspect of it and I like knowing that I’m helping that out.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your communication, Andy. We appreciate your kind words! We love that you are passing along the word of clean energy. We strive to provide a one-of-a-kind customer experience and it sounds like we are on the right path! Welcome to the Sunrun family!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

When we signed up with Sunrun the Sales rep Edward told us that the average customer pays only $25 a month on their power bill with Hawaiian Electric. He stated that he had his son do an experiment by running the air conditioner, fan, lights, television, and everything else in the house to see how expensive it could get running on Sunrun. Then concluded that his power for that month only came out to be $18. After that we were sold!

Later after they installed the system we did not come to a bill of $18 hell not even $25. We thought okay we'll give it another month, nope still the same. If anything we are paying more than we did without them. So we called to complain and the rep stated that we have to wait for a year to see any changes. So we waited and still after a year our power bill never came down to even $100! Maybe if we were not paying Sunrun a $95 we would be saving but we were not! In other words usage 1595 kwh for $408 (without Sunrun) vs 1482 kwh for $464 ($369 to Hawaiian Electric and $95 to Sunrun) we paid $69 more for running less power yeah, NOT. We get more for less just by running on Hawaiian Electric not Sunrun!

So going back to trying to resolve the situation with Sunrun after a year the rep states that we need to add more panels! Really we were also told by Ed (1st rep we worked with) that the panels that we were getting should do the job. Whatever. Okay so we sent Ed an email informing him that we would like to add more panels to our roof and he replied back that he would get back to me after the weekend. One week passes and no phone call or email. So I called and left a message and also sent a follow up email. Then later Ed sends an email stating "I confirmed from both Managers we are not currently doing add on systems at this time. I will keep you informed when we do." Horrible! So do we have to wait for another Year!

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Lisa. It sounds like there was some miscommunication that impacted your experience. We understand that solar energy is a new industry that is why we make our lease agreement as transparent as possible, which outlines how much your system is expected to produce each year and how much energy it should offset. We would love an opportunity to review exactly what went wrong here. We sent you a private message so we can discuss this further.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I had a bad experience with an "authorized partner" or reseller or whatever. They took my contract and then they disappeared for months. I contacted Sunrun and they only had the ability to email that partner, they emailed that partner asking them to contact me and weeks go by and nothing. They did this repeatedly and nothing. I ended up getting a Sunrun salesperson to cancel my contract with the disappeared partner and I signed a new/clean contract with Sunrun directly. Problem solved? Hardly. Throughout the process I've gone through 3 different sales reps because of the high turnover on their sales team, they either leave or get promoted to another section of the company or something, but I kept getting reassigned. The latest sales reps have no idea what the previous sales reps have told or promised me or even what concerns I had. Very annoying.

Then they install the system with the cheapest/ugliest roof mounts I've seen, there's a very high clearance between the roof and the panels, they're not "low profile" or sleek, you can stand and look right underneath the panels, very ugly. The panels were supposed to be black but they turned out to be blue, and there was no side skirts or whatever that would help with the fact that they're mounted so high off the roof.

I mention my concerns about the look of the panels and Sunrun told me the only way to get them off my roof was if I purchased the system from them, for around 20k. Great, they essentially told me they're stuck up there now and to get over it unless I want to buy it from them. Wow. Then, their installation gets denied by SMUD 3 different times, Sunrun had to come out 3 different times to rearrange the electrical boxes and such in order to pass inspection, a process which took 2 months. 2 months the system sat on my roof and I've been unable to turn it on because Sunrun can't seem to pass code.

When I brought up all my concerns with Sunrun, I was told they'd get back to me. 2 weeks go by, nothing. I email them and they say they'll get back to me shortly, another week goes by, nothing. Great customer service/support they have... I chose Sunrun because they had better prices and better equipment than SolarCity. I thought they were the much better choice, but their customer service is lacking, their mounting system is cheap and ugly, and they simply don't care. I don't know if I'd recommend SolarCity over Sunrun, but maybe look at the #3 or #4 Solar companies, because Sunrun has much room for improvement before I could recommend them.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your communication, Deon. We strive to provide an excellent customer experience by scheduling our highly qualified service technicians to complete your install, to hear otherwise is disheartening! We want to investigate, and see how to make things right by you! A Specialist has sent you a private message. Please reply so we can discuss this further.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

We were doing some grocery shopping at Costco and John, the Sunrun representative was there. I inquired about Sunrun and he set up an appointment for us to demonstrate the program. He said it would take a few weeks once everything gets approved and we had to comply with Edison’s demands, and I signed in and went for it. My house does not have central air and I noted that to the agents that came out and I explained the situation. They said they can set me up with an extra panel, so that way, when I decide to put our central air, I’ll be covered and I’ll still have the savings. Someone would have to be at home so my wife was there and they came in so fast and explained everything to her. From the moment they came and installed the system, they weren’t lacking and they knew what they were doing. They swooped down like a bald eagle and the system was installed in a matter of hours when he said it would take a whole day.

Someone from the District came in and he changed the new Edison panel and the circuit breakers and they set up everything. And then we had to wait for Edison to change over and for the final approval, and it was up and running. The system also allows me to monitor the savings online and see how many kilowatts I use per week and per month. Edison has a minimal hookup fee of $10, which the salesman said would be needed because they still have to be hooked up to our system. So far, I’ve only paid two bills to Edison, one for $7.00 and the other one for $11.00. I already made my first payment to Sunrun, coming up on the second one, so it should be okay. Sunrun gave us a gift of a double smoke alarm with carbon monoxide sensor, which was awesome. I’m very satisfied and I’ve recommended Sunrun to a few people. I still have the sign out in my yard and even my wife said it was a great experience.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing, Juan! We absolutely loved reading your review. Providing the best customer experience is our aim, and it all starts by doing the simple things. So glad to have you as a customer. When you're happy we're happy!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Our bill was very high at around $500 a month so we decided to look into solar energy. I Googled Sunrun and other companies and Sunrun had the best deal around so went with them. We had a couple of hiccups in the beginning because our breaker panel is not large enough to handle how many panels we initially wanted. But once we decided that we weren't able to change our breaker panel, the process was fine. Everything was smooth. We ended up installing 19 panels and the installers were quick and did a good job. However, the salesman who came up to our house was not very reachable. He won't return my phone calls or text. Other than that, it’s been a great experience. We got a bill from PG&E for $9 and so we're happy and completely satisfied. We enjoyed the experience of going solar and I’d definitely recommend Sunrun.

Sunrun response

We love to hear this, Michelle! Thank you for taking the time to share! Our aim is to provide the best customer experience, that means meeting all expectations. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to turn things around.Cheers for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I had a fabulous experience with Sunrun. I appreciated that it wasn't a hard sell since I don't like that kind of approach. I felt very much in charge, which is how I like to feel making a large purchase. Enrolling with them was really simple. I looked at owning or leasing, which really helped. The first person I spoke to was Delilah, who was very knowledgeable. She knew all the different aspects of it. I also liked the fact that the projection that she made for me was just for my on-peak hours instead of on-and-off-peak, which made it more affordable. She also analyzed everything and told me exactly how much it would be and since it's been turned on, I'm hitting that consistently.

The installation was really simple and it only took a day. The team was excellent. Since my panels are in the back, I appreciated that they went up and over the roof instead of traipsing through the yard over and over again, which was easier for them and for me. However, I should not have planned on sleeping through the installation since it was louder than I had anticipated. I then waited for APS in the city of Glendale to do their inspection to be able to turn it on.

Sunrun response

Thanks for making our day, Kristin! Setting the standard in outstanding service is something we (seriously) obsess over. We also strive to make joining our effort in creating a planet run by the sun very clean and simple. Welcome to the Sunrun family!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We bought this home in April of 2017, our former neighbor had Sunrun system installed on his home so we asked him about it. He said he was happy so far but had not received credit yet too early. So we contacted his salesperson Jeff **, he came to our house and gave us a glorious story of once installed, we would have one bill that may be a little higher than usual. But then all we would be paying is the lease payment and about 60.00 to APS. NO, it is now November and all of our bills are outrageous. So I called our salesperson who by the third message finally called me back. He came out to the house and said that it was APS they had changed their reporting or some BS. He assured me (and I know this for a fact as we recorded the conversation) that there was something wrong and he would get down to the bottom of it all. He said there is no way we should be charged that much.

So weeks go by and nothing, so I call again, and again, and again, to receive a phone call back from Jeff saying that he was out of town. Well that makes sense as my mobile phone quits working when I leave town. Now he tells me I should be patient. That I need to build up credits, the problem is I cannot build any credits as my system doesn't produce enough power to even build up on credits. I have also come across other customers with this very same issue. Like the exact same. Right now there are 6. But we receive calls from other Sunrun customers with similar issues. We have been advised to contact a attorney to start a class action lawsuit. If you have also had these same issues. Please contact me at **.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out to us, Chris. We understand savings can be a huge concern when going solar. Typically, a customer saves with us by receiving a competitive price per kilowatt. As long as you use the same amount of electricity you should see some savings. A Specialist has sent you a direct message, so we can research this together.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Everything was excellent with Sunrun. My wife researched and looked at Sunrun which had the highest ratings and that’s what closed the deal. The other thing was that the salesman was very upfront, very clear and not pushy. It took us five years to decide to look into solar energy services. Enrolling with Sunrun was an easy and simple process. Communication was there which was the key. The installers put it up professionally and it was good. They went over some small details of how to turn everything on and make sure everything was satisfied and perfect. The company was very classy, very respectful and honest. It would cost us $60 a month for our electricity but then APS is charging us $130 with the taxes. Nevertheless, Sunrun should keep up the good work, keep communicating, continue having the integrity and quality of work. It was a good experience, overall.

Sunrun response

That's what we love to hear, David! Providing the best customer experience is key because our mission is to create a planet run by the sun. Thanks for sharing your story! So happy you took that first step to learn more about solar energy's advantages.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I didn't like PG&E anymore so I went with Sunrun. Their entire onboarding and approval processes are very well-laid out. I liked the steps one to seven that they published. They were very transparent with the whole process, so there were no surprises. It was a seamless and painless experience. Their customer service, phone or email, was also very good even though they're located out of state.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing your experience, David! We appreciate you taking a chance on Sunrun. We are so thrilled we were able to make a good impression. Transparency is so important for a company to succeed. Welcome to the Sunrun family.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We purchased a home that had an existing Sunrun system this year. We had previously had SolarCity so we were pretty excited to have solar at our new home, had we know Sunrun's track record we would have backed out of the purchase. We submitted our transfer form to the Sunrun transfer team in April. A few weeks after we closed we got a call that some of our panels weren't working, they sent a tech out to check it out. He said we needed some additional repairs then we didn't hear anything from them until July, when they came to shut our system down. I called customer service and explained that we hadn't received any correspondence to us at all. Turns out the Transfer Rep had left the company and apparently they didn't transfer our file to the new rep?! Which was our fault?!

Customer service transferred me to the new Transfer Rep who told me I needed to sign a form that held me responsible for the account since the previous homeowner didn't release the system. We had some questions for Sunrun: Before we claim responsibility for the account was there a balance on the account prior to the transfer? Since the solar panels were still not working, how long had they been inoperable? What is their policy on fixing the system? All very normal questions, for a service provider. The Transfer Rep didn't respond to several emails sent by my husband and I, until last Friday, July to November (4 months)! Where did she go??? Her only response was that they are turning our system off. Amazing customer service... We have zero information about Sunrun and we're not impressed at all. We wish we had SolarCity back!

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Lana. This is such an unfortunate situation, and it is disheartening to hear it has changed your opinion of our company so early on in the relationship. This is certainly not how we do business. We would like to further investigate this matter. We have sent you a direct message.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I heard solar energy was a better option and I've had Sunrun's services for a couple of weeks. Their rep was professional, he set up an appointment and we got started. The installation was very good. The guys that came out were very professional, courteous and updated me.

Sunrun response

That's what we love to hear, Brittany! We aim to provide the best customer experience and are constantly working to improve our installation process We are thrilled you got to experience that! Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I have had Sunrun install on three of my houses and two of them are already up and running but one is still waiting for PG&E's final approval. In fact, the rental house that turned on at the end of last month is already producing and using the electricity generated by the solar. The timing, speed, and installation were smooth and I'm very satisfied with the overall experience. I was also comfortable talking to the various people, including the sales rep and the installation manager. The representative was very nice and knowledgeable. The features on smartphone app are not that complete though and it seems they need to update the software. But I would definitely recommend them to anyone that I can. Sunrun is a very good and trustworthy company and going solar is very good for not only saving money but also the green. Very soon, I'm going have them install in my own house too.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your contact, Ke! We strive to give a one-of-a-kind customer experience! We were so happy to read your review! We appreciate your support and excited to welcome you to the Sunrun family.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

My husband has a disability and he has to have the air conditioner on at night. We were hoping that the solar energy will help us to reduce our use of our air conditioner more and if there’s an outage, we’d be able to keep the wattage going. We did have a big bill beforehand but still, we're hoping that it’s going to be a good investment just to cut back. We had no trouble enrolling with Sunrun at all because, in any of the process, they were very receptive, and if we had a difficulty, we knew we had contact people. We have to average out the first several bills we got after it was installed, so the bill that we got will not be really what it is now and it should be less. We’re not sure and we have nothing really to compare it with at this point so we're hoping that when we get our first real bill from DWP, we'll see a change in it.

The only concern we had was the transformer had to be changed across the street because they’re going through the neighborhood and changing. It has nothing to do with Sunrun, but it was during the daytime when they came through to change these transformers and they had to shut us completely down. I was shocked because I know that if you have solar, that should keep things going during the day if there’s sunlight. They set the whole power down and that was disconcerting. Why would we get solar energy if in the daytime we can’t use it because they’re shutting off the grid? I don’t know if this is what DWP is now doing or if they’re thwarting the efforts of solar energy, but we’ve already paid to have it installed so I’m hoping that this isn’t going to be a problem.

We can contact people at Sunrun but I’m sure they’re not going to have answers for us either. This just happened since it has been installed so it had nothing to do with the installation or the feature of having solar energy. It’s just been now when you’re working with solar energy with the city, it sounds like the city is trying to do something else. I don’t know what that means but we’re going to find out when we get our first bill. I know we’d have problems when the sun goes down and if there was a power outage, we might not have it if the battery pack wasn’t installed yet. They don’t have a big enough battery pack with DWP but that’s in the works, we were told. Nevertheless, we are very satisfied with Sunrun and we have recommended them to another customer. We’re happy with the experience and we’re very hopeful that it’s going to perform as well as they had told us that it would.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing, Evette. We are so happy to hear you are having a great experience so far. I do want to make a clarification because transparency is very important to us. Since all Sunrun solar systems are grid-tied, they will shut down for safety purposes in the event of a power outage. Grid-tied systems must receive a current from both the grid and the panels to remain active.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have had months and months of unresolved billing credit due to me. Sunrun customer service and billing dept. suck so bad! No one bother to check with another or even bother to read a damn note in THEIR system. Lazy ** employees at Sunrun, that's for sure. I, the customer, have to tell the customer care person on the other line on how to go into their notes and read them out loud to me, and it's still not accurate taken down by the previous customer service staff! I give up! I am so mad... No wonder a patient drives all the way to SF to want to kill someone (not literally)! I totally understand! OH my GOD (gosh)!

Customer service sucks so bad, no resolution in months, billing department prints out fake bills, collections department does what they're told, pretending to send out fake notices. The list goes on and on. Started in June 2017, here we are in November 2017, no resolution, no nothing, no one knows, no one has any records of calls, I might just have to send them my phone bill to prove how many minutes I was on hold or on a call with them (evidence in court that is). Sunrun, what the hell is wrong with you, as a company! Aren't your sales human beings embarrassed to see the public. No wait, Sunrun doesn't care as long as there are greens flowing in!

People, please I beg of you to run away and don't even look at them, the name, anything with SUNRUN! FAKE, FRAUD, NO CARE AT ALL, ALL ABOUT IN-FLOW OF MONEY ONLY COMPANY. WAIT, they might just file for bankruptcy and not owe their customers the refunded due credit as how they should. Of course, this is America for you, CONSUMERS.

Sunrun response

Thank you for sharing, Judy. It appears there was a bit of a misunderstanding regarding your account. We are very sorry to hear about the frustration it has caused you. Our records indicate this matter has been resolved. We have sent you a direct message in case you have any additional questions.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

The price of electricity is started to go up every year. We looked into our options and a lot of companies now allow to either lease or buy. We checked other solar providers in the past but Sunrun seemed more professional. They have also partnered with Costco and I know a couple of other people that use Sunrun. It helped us make our decision on what we’re going to do. Enrolling with Sunrun was excellent. They came out and laid out the options which were very easy to understand. They explained the whole process and what we could expect. They were friendly and everything was done efficiently.

The installation went great. The guy that came out was courteous and professional. They did everything in one day and once they finished installing it, they showed us how it worked. They also told us what we could expect in the process as far as contacting the inspector and the utility company. I’m extremely satisfied going solar. There’s an environmental impact and I’ve been recommending Sunrun to everyone I know who's interested in doing solar.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your awesome feedback, Artis! We're only happy when you are, so meeting your expectations from start to finish is our aim. So thrilled you're our customer! Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Sunrun Company Information