3.74/5
Based on 336 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT and WI

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 19, 2018

414 Sunrun Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

I have turned down several people trying to put solar panels on my roof in but I finally decided to do it with Sunrun. There was an installation glitch and they came out and fixed it. My control box is on the side of the house. It doesn’t have a sidewalk to it and I’m handicapped. They sent someone out to turn it on and when they found the glitch that I pointed my neighbor found, they delayed turning it on and repaired it, and came out and turned it on without talking to me again.

I’ve only been on Sunrun for two months. It’s evidently working because I got a lower bill from APS. I didn’t realize how much it put APS out of the loop in terms of funding. The purchasing of the loan for the installation was done through APS. I thought they were making a thing on that one. That was one that I never got a discussion about, what the financing cost on that was as opposed to anything else like paying cash. That was information I wanted because sometimes I’ve gotten money to cover a couple of outlays like that. It saves me money.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out, Homer. We are so thrilled that you gave us the opportunity to turn things around and provide an overall good customer experience. Welcome to the Sunrun family!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

I had been looking into solar energy as soon as I bought my house two years ago. I was trying to find the best thing and I found Sunrun at Costco. They said that I would get a rebate, but I said I wouldn't because I'd lease the system instead to finance them. Alex and Christopher were outstanding. Everything they said that was going to happen happened exactly the way it did. The installation people were awesome as well. They installed everything and they were quicker than they said they were going to be.

However, my experience with going solar has been hell. It died six days after they started it up. They didn’t call me and let me know it died. I had just assumed I was on solar the whole time. They didn’t even know it died. I went out there and looked and said, "Wait a minute. Why is my electric bill $300 when I’m supposed to be using solar?” When I called them, the lady on the other line said, “And you didn’t notice? What do you want me to do about it?” Then they sent someone out and said he fixed it. However, it didn't work. He replaced a single part on the system and then that blew up, so then they had to come out with a new system. So the machine was not working and a rep told me that there’s nothing she can do for me and that I have to pay my bill and wait. I love the salespeople but I didn't care for the call center.

I just paid $149 for two months and then I paid another $400 to my regular electric bill. So now I’m out $700 and I never received service from them. I told them I want my money back and they told me that they would give it back on my anniversary. But I would definitely recommend them. We just got a dumb deal on our machine. There's not much we can do about that.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your contact, Aubrey! Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! As well, efficient communication is key. A specialist has reached out to your regarding your concerns.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Solar energy services provide safe clean energy and since I was introduced to Sunrun’s Brightbox battery, I thought that was the best way to do it. Sunrun's also got more support than a smaller provider and enrolling with them was a very good experience. They did all the work so I didn't really have to do so much paperwork. It was one-stop shopping to me. I'm really satisfied with what they’re doing and so far the cost has been cut down quite a bit so it’s really good.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Kevin! We sincerely appreciate you sharing your positive experience. We can certainly use your feedback to improve. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to turn things around. Welcome to the Sunrun family!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I have the perfect roof. The back roof of my house faces south, there’s lots of room on it for solar panels, and I had been considering getting them for the purpose of going green and cutting down on my cost each month. I had a Sunrun salesman come over and we talked about it. Then I made my decision which I hope is the right one. I went with a 20-year paid upfront lease, so, I’m hoping they are still in business in 20 years. There was a contract to sign then I had to put $500 upfront to get the program started. Then I had to put money up and pay the rest of it after it was installed. They had to get all the approvals from APS here before they could turn the system on and everything went fine until one little glitch later on.

When I turned it on in about February about five months later, my inverter went out and would not produce power anymore. After a couple of days that it was not producing anything, I notified Sunrun about it. It was their equipment and they were the ones that were supposed to be monitoring this. They said they usually let it go three days before they check it out. I told them I needed to get somebody out here to find out what was going on and it was about a week later that somebody came and checked it out, and verified that it was the inverter that was bad. So I figured they’d get one right on there and that it wouldn’t take very long. But it was a month between the time it went out and when they finally got another inverter on there. I was a bit upset about that because I lost all my credits and my bill was higher.

The system got working again but at the end of the year it did not produce as much power that they said it would. Sunrun cut me a check for the difference, so that made me a little happier. Other than that, everything seemed to go pretty smooth. I was happy with the salesman. I called him several times to ask him various questions about what was going on and he got things moving even though it took a long time. The installer and the ones who did the repair was Titan Solar Power and I tried to be understanding because I knew they had a lot of business and they were busy trying to beat APS and their regulations. But it seemed to me that it was an excessive amount of time to get another inverter put on. Surely they had extra inverters if they were putting solar panels on houses.

There was also a design change at the last minute. I had a picture of how they were going to put the panels which covered the entire roof. But when they started putting the panels on, it was not the design that was approved. So I called my salesperson and he found out they didn’t take into account that I had a fireplace exhaust that was causing a little bit of shade. So they had to change the design a little bit which didn’t bother me that much. I have 34 panels up there and I’m overall satisfied with what they did. We haven’t had much rain here to find out whether or not I’ve got any leakage but they’re supposed to fix those if there is any.

My start date was January 24th and the solar panel unit has produced 101% of my estimated electricity usage. So, I’m not dissatisfied with the company. I’m understanding of things that go wrong and so as long as they keep it working, and I have the contract here and they take care of what’s supposed to be taken care of, I’ll be happy.

Sunrun response

We love to hear this, Dennis! Thank you for taking the time to share! Our aim is to provide the best customer experience that means meeting all expectations. We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to turn things around. Cheers for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 16, 2018

Electricity is quite expensive right now and my agent who was close to me told me about the benefits of Sunrun. We applied for this solar because we would like to enjoy consuming the electricity more convenient for us and Sunrun's customer service reps assisted me in the beginning. I was to enjoy the solar right away but there was trouble in the connection with the system. They've put the battery and the installation is complete but due to the problem with the connection, they asked me to turn it off for now for the battery. And now, I'm waiting for somebody to come look at it. Everything is okay and I'm confident to introduce solar to other friends and I know Sunrun works well. The hard part is that we keep waiting until all is set up but I have to be patient because I want to have this installed in my house to help save some money.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Mildred! We sincerely appreciate you sharing your positive experience. We can certainly use your feedback to improve. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to turn things around. Welcome to the Sunrun family

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: April 15, 2018

I shopped around quite a bit for solar panels and I first heard about Sunrun through Costco. Our electricity bill at our home was pretty high so I thought that solar energy services might do something to help us out. However, I'm not happy with Sunrun at all because I purchased an 80%-20% offset and $23,000 in solar panels and my electricity bill has probably only gone down 50%. The 80% was not accurate and I have a lot of issues with Sunrun at the beginning too. With the installation, they ran a grounding cable across the front of my house and attached it to the spigot. It was absolutely awful. The guy came out and he gave me a credit and apologized, which I accepted. It was fine, but it hasn’t met my expectations whatsoever.

One of the things the sales people told me was that they were going to get all the tax credits when we file our taxes, but that was false too and I didn’t get any of that. I only got a small portion of it. Not the labor and everything else that they told me and got on the email. So, I had my friend write an email to Sunrun and ask about the tax credit and the same guy responded that he would get 30% tax credit across the board. He responded to him the message that he gave me which was wrong and false. I was lied to and it didn’t meet the expectations that they spoke of. I would never recommend solar to anybody.

I'm making payments on this stuff to purchase it but it doesn’t do what it's expected to do. Also, I refinanced my house and when the appraiser came over, I said that I got solar panels on the house too, but he said that solar panels don’t increase the value of the home. That hit me hard too because I expected that to be a home improvement which would increase the value of my home. So, there's been a lot of negatives that have come my way. I should have spoken with my dad more about it because he knows so much about the industry and he would never get solar panels either. The technology is just not there yet. I'm not satisfied with solar at all. Don't get solar panels.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your feedback, Dennis. We really hate to hear this. We always pride ourselves in an honest approach because of the product we sell, we hate to hear this was not your experience. A Specialist has sent you a direct message to get some additional information.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've been looking for solar panels from other places and it's like the ones through Costco were the best value for the money. I saw Sunrun there and they answered my questions and it seemed like it was a pretty good deal so I decided to go with them. Everything went very well and they had it installed in the time frame that was promised. However, there was a problem later on. A couple of solar panels were loose but Sunrun came over within a day and took care of it.

There's a console outside and a few things that I can access from the menu and it would be nice if Sunrun would send a PDF file on how to access and read the panel that generates electricity. It would be very helpful to have something that shows me what its capabilities are and how to go through the menu. And now, the days are a little bit longer so we generate more solar. And our energy bill is less than what it was before so it's nice. And since we paid cash for the solar panels, we had no outstanding bill, so it's savings for us. Our experience with Sunrun was very good and I'm very pleased.

Sunrun response

Thank you for contacting us, Ernesto! We are delighted to know you had a wonderful customer experience and you are satisfied with your solar system. Welcome to the Sunrun family. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun! Power Forward!

Original review: April 14, 2018

Do not buy a Sunrun LG battery. It makes no financial sense. MAYBE it will when SDG&E moves my peak time of use from 11 AM-6 PM to 4 PM-9 PM in the future. My LG battery is never discharged on weekends, even on hot summer days. It is not discharged at all from October through April. Here is the Sunrun response to battery usage:

"Thank you for contacting Sunrun Customer Care in regards to the battery discharge. During winter rates, the battery does not discharge. BrightBox - SDG&E: DR-SES (NEM 1.0). Summer = May 1 - September. Summer weekdays we cycle: Charge from solar production before 11 am. Discharge 11 am - 6 pm. Weekends are all OFF PEAK. So I paid $4,000 for the LG battery to be used May through September, 5 days a week. So 5 months times 5 days per week equals about 110 days of battery usage out of 365 day year."

This limitation is not in my Sunrun contract, nor was this limitation mentioned or documented in the sales and installation discussion. The Sunrun web page states only (my emphasis): "Depending on your neighborhood’s electricity rate structure, Brightbox can offset energy costs when electricity rates are at their peak. And in a blackout, your Brightbox offers a sustainable source of energy so you don’t have to spend on unruly and expensive generators. Maximum savings? We’ll take that any day."

Brightbox is the Sunrun term for solar panels with the LG battery attached. Note Sunrun does not state any details about the actual usage of the battery. The irony is that the SolarEdge Inverter is programmable through a simple user interface to allow any time any day battery usage. Of course Sunrun controls the battery usage and will not change the scheduled usage. Why? I believe it is to extend the life of the LG battery to 20 years. So, if you are considering a Sunrun solar system, skip the battery and save yourself a few thousand dollars.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out to us, David. It sounds like things have not gone as expected, this is disheartening! We absolutely understand the importance of being transparent when selling a product such as solar. A specialist has sent you a private message to address your concerns, please reply so we can clear some things up together!

Original review: April 14, 2018

I have been thinking about solar energy services already and then a guy came to the door and we heard about Sunrun from him. Enrolling with Sunrun was a fine experience. The installation was nice and quick, and I had no problems with the cleanliness at all. Their customer service has been fine as well. Other than my bill being less, everything has run the same since then.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Kathy. It is very encouraging to hear you had such a positive experience. We aim to keep solar simple by operating efficiently, as well as, being helpful and friendly at every point in the process. We want to welcome you to the Sunrun family!

Original review: April 13, 2018

If you don’t understand the verbiage of a lease, don’t trust them to disclose everything. I was lied to when asked about certain things, the salesperson convinced me it was a good deal, lied about everything, offered to help me with my pool solar on his own time, talked about church, gained my trust so I would sign the deal with the devil. I’ve been unhappy since day 1, but I own up to signing the lease. The kicker though is their panels caused a leak, warranty was for only 5 years, I didn’t know this or else I wouldn’t have signed. How am I liable for their panels causing a leak, regardless if it’s 5, 10, or 15 years, damage is damage, it should be covered through the lease life. There are so many other issues besides that, I’m paying actually more per month than I used to prior to panels.

The salesperson visited me 2 years prior and I told them it doesn’t make sense to me to install solar. The second time around I asked why does it make sense now? Well, he lied his way through, oh, said salesperson was fired shortly after my deal. I’m only now complaining because I was just going to deal with the crap, but now that my roof leaks and I have to pay, that’s just wrong and I was stupid, lesson learned. We are now stuck with this for 11 more years, it has changed our lives financially while they rip us off. I asked for them to take them down, $39,000, what a joke.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Steve. We are sorry to hear about your roof leak. A specialist has reached out regarding your concerns.

Original review: April 13, 2018

BUYERS BEWARE, OUR "SALESMAN " told us there was no contract which I thought was very odd. Everything has a contract. Come to find out there is a contract and he initialed every page with my initials. That fraud, they didn't turn in the correct paperwork to PG&E so now going on 3 months no bill. So that means I will get this large bill that I have to pay. I am stuck with Sunrun but I will advise friends/family to run from the company...

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication Susan. We are sorry to hear you did not understand your solar agreement. A specialist has sent you a private message. We would like investigate your concerns.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I signed up Sunrun a few months ago. The individual who explained the process to my family and I, along with their inspectors provided falsified impressions regarding snow related questions. The solar panels were installed and it snowed a few times resulting in heavy dumping of the snow onto the second part of the roof which results in the house and windows shaking. We specifically asked if there are any complaints with customers and the snow running off, we were told, "No, there are no issues with the snow, it does not even weigh down on the panels." We trusted the employees’ statements. This was a total disaster - I cannot sleep in my room or cook in the kitchen because of the heavy dumping when it snows. And not the mention, the potential damage to vehicles in the yard.

When I emailed my representative, she said they cannot do anything about this and that we can pay up to $3000 to get snow guards installed; they even recommended a company who they use for this issue because it’s common. WHY DID THEY lie to us when all the SNOW RELATED QUESTIONS WERE ASKED - instead, we were told there are no issues! I replied to the email, every week for 3 weeks I sent the same email and NO ONE to date has replied to my email. I called my representative and she was unbelievably rude on the phone and even hung up; I was told to avoid those areas in the house when it snows! I called the individual who introduced us to the system and to date he is avoiding all our calls/texts and emails. This company just wants your money. If you have any issues at all, they will ignore you and not take your complaints serious.

The stress we have gone through with this company is not worth anyone’s time; their employees are not reliable and trustworthy. Please at all costs, please avoid them. I wish I read reviews before signing up with them. If the company falsified reports of their sales and was investigated by The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and has lawsuits against false marketing - IT IS NOT a COMPANY to GO WITH. Now I am stuck with the panels and no one from the company to returns calls or reply to emails. AVOID! Another issue - my contract on the app still says I will be paying $80, when I got a new contract that says I will be paying $72 due to adjustments needed upon further review by the inspectors prior to installation; so far the system is not turned on by Sunrun so let’s see what other issues I face.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Sherry. We understand your frustration regarding your panels when it snows. Our management team is working on resolving this matter for you. Someone will be in touch shortly.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I'm a techy type of guy so solar energy always fascinates me. Two of my neighbors got solar energy service and they gave me positive feedback so, I decided to find out for myself. And then, Sunrun gave me a quote and I was happy with it. I enrolled with them and it was painless. They updated me as they go and it was quick. I'm pleased with them. The interaction I had with customer service was also great. They answered every question I had and they were honest.

It has been worry free since they mounted the system up and I look at the app that tells me it's working and making energy. It would reduce my bi-physical electrical company bill, which was my objective with going solar, and I'm sure my daughters will react about it and we tell them that we're helping do a part in energy consumption. My experience with Sunrun was very good and I have recommended them to my friends. Anyone interested should go ahead and use them as well because they make things simple.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing, Yougeshwar. We are so happy to hear you are having a great experience so far. I do want to make a clarification because transparency is very important to us. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I've been working with Freedom Solar and Sunrun installed the system and did everything else. They always answer the phone when I call and they always try to resolve whatever issues I got. Sunrun helps me save money with the electric company and so far, it's working fine. I would tell my friends to go solar.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing, Edward! We absolutely loved reading your review. Providing the best customer experience is our aim, and it all starts by doing the simple things. So glad to have you as a customer. When you're happy we're happy!

Original review: April 12, 2018

I knew that that metering thing was coming to an end so we looked into solar energy services. We are moving into a new house and I wanted to consider reducing our power bill. The Sunrun sales rep, Lauren, kept me abreast of what was going on and she kept following up. We were pushing the deadline to make it to qualifying and being grandfathered and Lauren made it happen. She was just fantastic. We haven’t moved into that house yet but I know the system was not designed to cover all of our energy needs. It was basically to cover the peak demand in Arizona. Last month wasn’t a really hot month but I had a very nice electric bill. It was $16. We weren’t using any power to speak of but even so, Sunrun covered all the fees and everything else associated with it so I was happy there. I would recommend Sunrun and I recommended a friend already.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your contact, John! We strive to give a one-of-a-kind customer experience! We were so happy to read your review! We appreciate your support and excited to welcome you to the Sunrun family.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Energy keeps going up and up and we had a $400 electric bill last summer, so it was just time to research another avenue to explore. I was researching solar for the house that I bought in June of last year and Sunrun was one of the companies that came up, together with Horizon and some other ones. I contacted them along with the other companies. Sunrun came out and gave me a presentation and I decided to go with them. Enrolling with Sunrun was really easy. The guy, Chris, came and gave his presentation and we talked about it. They set up an account for me so that I can go online and check my progress. They also sent update emails which keeps me informed, which I found really great so I don’t always have to call and say, “Hey, what are we doing?” They keep me updated unless something comes up until the last minute. But for the most part, what they said was going to happen, happened.

I liked the fact that Sunrun has been in business and that they have their warranties on your roof. They were very personable and very accommodating. They answered all my questions and there wasn’t a hesitation like thinking about an answer to come up with for a question. They knew their stuff and that made me feel comfortable with them.

Genevieve has been my contact at Sunrun and we’ve spoken a couple times. We had to change a couple of inspection dates because of my days off and she was very accommodating. She had to contact Edison and the City to get the inspectors come out on a different date. The days that they didn’t need access to the house weren’t a problem. But the days that they did, we had to change twice. It was well within a reasonable time limit. It was only around seven to ten days difference, so it worked out really well.

We just got to turn on our system at the end of March, so we really haven’t had a bill yet. But from what they told me and the fact that they gave me the figures, I’m sure the bill is going to be a lot less than the hundred-dollar bills that we’ve been getting. Being a single person with my youngest son living with me still, we needed to find something that we could count on every month that this would be the bill so we could manage our systems and our budget. There are no surprises, so that helps as well. We know exactly what we’re going to be paying.

My son has friends that have purchased solar systems and have regretted not getting the Brightbox Battery simply because we experience quite a few power outages during the summertime. So, with having that as a backup, we feel more confident that the freezer won’t go out and all the food get spoiled on that. However, the one thing that I don’t really like is the fact that Sunrun wants me to sign up for autopay so they don’t charge me a service charge. I hate being forced into doing that to save money. That should just be an option and it bothered me a little. In the grand scheme of things, it’s got to get paid anyway. They let me choose my payment date and they offer me that option. It’s not a big deal but I don’t like having that as part of saving money. They should offer that to their client as a matter of convenience. Other than that, I’m hoping that when we get our bill, we’ll still be happy.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing, Karen. Our goal is to meet your expectations. So thrilled you're a part of our mission in creating a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Enrolling with Sunrun was very easy. Their reps were good and had answers for all our queries. It's only been two months since the installation, and it's okay right now.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing, Alphonse! We are happy that you are satisfied with your solar system. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 10, 2018

We had been thinking about solar energy services for a while and we just happened to be at Costco one day, then we decided to have Sunrun come out and give us an estimate. I researched a little bit before deciding to go through it and they have very high ratings. They came out last summer and we hadn’t been in our house long enough to get a good, accurate estimate on how many panels we were allowed to buy, so we decided to wait until we had been in the house for a year. We told them to come out in October and that was great. Their rep was awesome, so we decided to go ahead with it.

For the most part up until the installation, everything went great. Then the installation came and it didn’t pass inspection. The inspector came back and said there was a bunch of stuff that they had to do, so they came back and did that. Then another inspector came and wanted to do different stuff. It was a nightmare. They finished the installation initially in the first part of November and didn’t actually turn on the system until February. They said that it was because the City changed the regulations.

After they turned it on, we got a call that it’s not communicating with Sunrun, so they sent somebody out to take a look at it. My daughter was there and they told her something. Apparently, the box thing inside of the house wasn’t working so they took it, turned it off and didn’t tell us. I didn’t even know they had been there until I noticed when I checked the outlet that there was no generation. I called them and they told me I needed a new box because mine was not working properly. They said it would take two weeks. Fortunately, it took about eight days until they came back and put the new box on and it’s been fine since.

The system started working properly in the middle of February. We just paid our very first bill for the whole month and it was $13. Before it was a $100 to $200. At this point, though, I’m a little concerned because we don’t have the build up. The way it works in Nevada is, in the winter time we build up the credits because in the summer time, it’s so hot here that sometimes our air conditioning bill in the summer reaches $600. I hope that they’re never that high again but I think we’re going to still end up paying some bills in the summertime. But other than that and the guy turning it off and not telling me, I would recommend Sunrun because everything went smooth. They were also always very nice and very courteous.

Sunrun response

That's what we love to hear, Bonnie! Providing the best customer experience is key because our mission is to create a planet run by the sun. Thanks for sharing your story! So happy you took that first step to learn more about solar energy's advantages.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I found out that solar energy services would do everything for free and Sunrun was in the neighborhood. It was an easy and pleasant experience enrolling with them and the crew kept me up to date during installation. It's been pretty good, so far. It took me almost three months before it got rid of my Duke Power electric bill, but now my power bill has gone from 200 to 66. It did more than cut my electric bill in half.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing your story, Richard! It's great to hear you are behind us in our mission to create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have an issue with the breaker box that was put in. It blows all the lights when I plug things in. That never happened before. I have contacted the company many times with nothing but a runaround. They refuse to take care of the problem. In fact they ignore when you email them. When you call them you get someone will get back to you within 7 days! 7 days for an electrical issue which could burn down your house. This has been going on since Aug of 2017. You upgrade a breaker box and keep 100 amps when the electric company has a 200 amp meter outside. Then they finally send an electrician here with one of their guys who did nothing. And sent a report to the company a report on what you touched nothing so how can you know what's wrong?

I have asked for that report and have not received a reply. Then they tried to tell me in an email that the warranty is void because I put a hot tub in that was not there before. They lie. I have the paperwork that my hot tub has been in since 2008 and shows on the panel I sent them the bill of sales and the copy of the electrical hook up back from 2008. You guessed it. No response. I have a claim which they are failing to pay now using every excuse in the book. I would not recommend them to anyone. Plus I have the paperwork that they never told the building inspector that they upgraded the breaker box. It is not on the permit or the COC which is against the law. The letter I received and answered without a response once again $1000.00 for $6500 worth of damage and repair. I think not.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Rosemarie. We currently have our leadership team looking into this matter. Please be patient while we look into this matter for you. A customer care representative will be in touch shortly.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My wife wanted solar panels and ordered them from Sunrun. The installers were fine. They were polite and quick, and they were in and out. The panels have been doing what solar panels are doing, but we wouldn’t know what we’re having because the panels aren’t running. They’re not generating usable electricity for us.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Ted. We are so thrilled to hear that you had a positive experience going solar with Sunrun! We appreciate your support!

Original review: April 8, 2018

We went to Home Depot and there was a clerk in the store who said that if we had Sunrun, our bills are going to be cheaper. She was a real character and she kept us going for almost 20 minutes. She had us so excited we wanted to buy it right then. Then she sent guys to the house to talk to us. They were so polite and so helpful talking about Sunrun that we went along with it. It took over six months from when we met with them to anybody came around, and we waited.

Everything about enrolling with Sunrun was super. They were really on it and I've been trying to get it moved. I got my neighbor and he has finally got hooks on it. He's been coming over to my house and he asked me to tell him about Sunrun because he wanted it before but didn’t know what he did wrong and nobody ever came back. They come, they zero in on you and then they leave you alone too long. I kept it up because I was fascinated with the men and they were really cordial and super fun people.

We love going solar and it has somewhat changed our life because our local light company got some approval so that we all have to pay more now. That was when we jumped for it but other than that, it's fine. When my light bill went from 300 to 200, I was a little happy. And then it jumped to one and a half and it was even better. We got more people in our house and there are 13 of us now. I just wish that Sunrun had come earlier. I was so excited but we just hung in there. And because they didn’t come for quite a while, we thought that it was like Vivint. Vivint was a really bad experience. I wish that Sunrun would put Undercover Boss in because they will get many more people.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing, Patricia. We are so pleased to hear that you had a positive experience with our customer care team. Our goal, as a company is to be customer obsessed. We are so excited to welcome you to the Sunrun family.

Original review: April 7, 2018

My experience with Sunrun was nothing but good. It was an excellent experience especially with the project manager, Ryan. I looked into solar energy services for the summer with having an air conditioner. Enrolling with Sunrun was made easy because Ryan was very accommodating and he made sure that the appointment with him didn’t interfere with my work and other schedules that I had. He said that he’ll be there whatever was available for me. And in my situation, I was able to sit down and talk to him about the project after hours. He was more upfront with me about the good and the bad of doing this and was able to give me the answers that I was looking for and being honest about that.

The other company told me to not worry and that they were going to give me a $1,000,000.00 insurance for my roof. That was impractical and it was overselling. And there were things that Ryan was able to explain to me that the other company did not. For example, I have a mid-century house and the other company did not point out to me about upgrading my electrical panel. They did all the measuring and all the initial assessment but they never mentioned anything about my electrical panel not being within the standard and needed to be replaced. That was the big expense which Sunrun covered and I'm grateful for it. And whatever things that they did on the wall and on the siding, they fixed it, so I'm happy with that.

I'm also happy knowing that my bills in my gas and electric have to be separated now because I'm on that metering system, but when I checked my bill for the electricity, even though it's been winter here in California or it snowed up where the sun doesn’t sun as much, my bill is $9 for electric for the last two months. I still have to pay for the panel but it's just like what I used to pay for my gas or for my electric. It's a good thing considering that my house is a mid-century home, so the insulation is not as good as the current homes right now. If I have to turn on my A/C this summer, I will enjoy it and I'm not going to be a tightwad.

I'm going to have that peace of mind. Now I could sleep with the A/C on. Or as soon as I come home, I could schedule my A/C to come on an hour before I get home so that it's nice and cool by the time I get home and not to worry about a big electricity payment that I have to endure. And that was one of the reasons why I went to do solar. If the A/C is going, even though I don’t have a good insulation because I have solar, it balances out

I didn’t have to be there during the installation. By the time I got home, I cannot really tell that they were at home at all. And then everything was up and all we had to do was wait for the city to get their approval. Once they were approved, all we had to do was turn it on and Ryan was always there. I had a problem opening the panel, but he came and opened it for me and turned it on. It could let you enjoy your summer and not be stingy about electricity. You could leave the lights on and don’t have to turn off the light to save on electricity. I could also leave the TV on for my dogs.

Sunrun response

Thanks, Beth! That's what we love to hear! We aim to provide the best customer experience, and are constantly working to cut down our installation process time. So thrilled you're now a new member of our Sunrun family!

Original review: April 6, 2018

A few years ago I worked for my friend and when it was done, I looked on to see what's happening and then I decided to get Sunrun. That was around 2012 when I heard about the solar. Then I saw my neighbor took them. Then two of my friends, one relative and one friend, took it as well. I get the results on their views and I decided to take the solar myself. I'd save some money and lessen the stress on the environment. Everything was done promptly, on time and very professionally. Everyone was on their toes and everything was just rolling.

My wife was telling me something about the issues with the billing. One month, instead of 83, it came back as 140 something. So I told her to pick up the phone and call up. Also, I'm going to call Matt, the field guy from this area, if they can give me more panels because I'm only getting 45% of my electricity from the solar. If you're using less than 6,000 kilowatts per year, you will get 100% solar energy from Sunrun. I'm using 9,000 and over and I only could get 50%. I was standing in front of my house the other day and I was pressing Matt to give me more panels. I need more than 50. I wanted 100 because my house uses too much electricity when the year is up.

Matt said according to the guys who are in charge of that, they install this only on one side of my roof. I said okay. They haven't done a survey. So, I was standing in front my yard, I went to pick up the kids two o'clock in the afternoon, the sun was so bright and the sun was beating down on the other half of the roof that had no solar. My house is crowded and people are home all day. Electricity is being used 24/7. The heat is on, everything is on. But I recommend Sunrun based on the service. Hands down to anybody.

Sunrun response

Thank you for you feedback, Rasheed! We are happy to know that you are satisfied with your solar system and that you have a great customer experience. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun.

Original review: April 6, 2018

We wanted to save some money, the world, the air, and energy so we looked into solar energy services. The rep who provided the solar service gave Sunrun as the only option. He said that it's the best one and we agreed. Enrolling with Sunrun was great. We called and then we started to talk with the representatives and they helped us. We did everything with their rep online after that. We just started with them about three months ago and so far, our experience has been great.

Sunrun response

That's what we love to hear, Maria! We aim to provide the best customer experience and are constantly working to improve our installation process We are thrilled you got to experience that! Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 5, 2018

When I was investigating solar, I had a couple of local guys come over and a couple of them blew me off. Sunrun showed up when they said they were going to show up and I like their idea of leasing because I'm not responsible anymore. I decided to look into going solar to save money mostly and decided to go with Sunrun. The only other company that was doing a lease the way Sunrun is doing has a pricing that was five cents per-kilowatt-hour higher than them. Sunrun's enrolment process had been effortless and painless. Their customer service reps are always friendly and helpful. Since installing solar, I love getting my energy bill from Eversource now. It's all of $12.95 and it's been great. It's saving me money. I've recommended it to many and told them how much I saved and how easy it was to deal with Sunrun. However, most of them never got around to it.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Robert. Great story, thanks so much for sharing. Providing each customer with a first-rate experience is what we aim for! So thrilled you're a member of our Sunrun family!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Enrolling with Sunrun was wonderful and the process was not difficult at all. One reason I went with them is the offer that they had concerning the lease. I don’t ever own it. They do all the maintenance on it and take care of it. I just pay for the kilowatt hours that I generate. I got a big system that's 25,000 watts. The thing’s working perfectly and I'm 100% satisfied. If anyone's looking into solar energy services, I highly recommend that they go through Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thanks for making our day, James. Setting the standard in outstanding service is something we (seriously) obsess over. We also strive to make joining our effort in creating a planet run by the sun very clean and simple. We are so excited to welcome you to the Sunrun family!

Original review: April 4, 2018

I'm an environmentalist and I've been looking for solar energy services for years. I had a better price from Ross Solar but my colleague, Carla, said Sunrun did a first class job for her. However, the salesperson from Sunrun was totally incompetent. I basically had them make him sell me the system. I chased him for months. He told me it wouldn't work and he couldn't get the financing. He just let the whole thing drop like it wasn't going to happen. He also said that Sunrun doesn't work with the 1% financing anymore. I called them back and told them that I'll pay cash for this thing and that I wanted them by the end of the year. Then it worked and it kicked in. Also, the guys in Harford were great. They stayed right on it. Once it got out of the sales' hands and the thing went into go, it was fabulous. The installation guys were fabulous as well. Everything went smoothly. I would recommend Sunrun to others.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Tom. It is very encouraging to hear you had such a positive experience. We aim to keep solar simple by operating efficiently, as well as, being helpful and friendly at every point in the process. We want to welcome you to the Sunrun family!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I looked into solar energy services to lower our bill and chose Sunrun because the salesman went out of his way to explain everything in detail to us. We had a good experience enrolling with them. The total interaction was very positive for us especially since we had no idea about solar. Everything ran smoothly but we had a little issue with our solar panels. They put a little shield-like type towards the edge of it and we have high winds where we live so it blew them off. Sunrun came out and corrected it right away by adding extra anchors so that they would stay down. We are extremely satisfied with our decision. We're charged a lot less for our electricity since going solar and that's what we wanted.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I was concerned that my power bill was so high every time summer comes around and I have to use the air-conditioning. I went to a web page where the five best solar people in Las Vegas are. Sunrun came up number 1 so I called them. The work that was done was very, very professional. The people were excellent too.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing your experience, William. We are so pleased you are satisfied with your system. We also want to thank you for thinking of the environment and helping us create a planet run by the sun. Welcome to the family!

Sunrun expert review by Zachary Shahan

In business for over 10 years, SunRun services more than 100,000 customers in 22 states. The company specializes in customized solar energy systems and offers a lifetime warranty on its products.

• Multiple financing options: SunRun lets you pay for your solar energy system in many ways. If you want to lease the system, you can pay SunRun a set amount per month or pay them a higher up-front fee and avoid the monthly payment. If you want to own the system, you can pay off the system in full or finance it with a loan.

• Lifetime warranty: SunRun guarantees the performance of its product throughout the product’s lifetime. This warranty promises free repairs on your solar energy system. SunRun’s systems also include a roof warranty in case of leaks or holes.

• mySunRun app: With SunRun’s mobile app, mySunRun, you can track your system’s production, share your system’s stats via social media and change your billing preferences. The app also helps you submit customer support issues and refer friends to SunRun in exchange for Visa gift cards.

• LG Chem battery: With SunRun, you can purchase an LG Chem battery in addition to your solar energy system. This battery can store the excess energy that your system produces, making it available to you in the event of an outage.

• States available: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, HI, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT, WY

• Best for: homeowners who want a customized solar energy system.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sunrun Company Information