Call toll free
4.05/5
Based on 505 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT and WI

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

606 Sunrun Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I wanted to save energy and save on my bill. I did a research online, but because I'm a Costco member, it made more sense to go with Sunrun. I listened to the presentation and it made it easier for me to decide on going solar. The enrollment process was easy, and both Sunrun and Edison were communicating with one another and Sunrun pretty much did all the paperwork. However, I felt there was a gap. I was left alone, especially in the middle when it was like the waiting game. I also didn’t like that I was the one reaching out. Nobody was contacting me, so I had no idea where we were in the process. Somebody would simply come to my house, and I wouldn’t get phone calls, so I didn’t know what they were doing or who were those people turning up to my house. I should've gotten phone calls from them about what the next steps would be and how long it would take.

In addition, I have had several extensive communications but nobody has explained to me what happens now between myself and Edison. No one from Sunrun helped me and told me, “Once you go solar, Edison should be sending you like checks.” Edison keeps on sending me my monthly bills where I'm negative -$15, -$10, but I haven't received the money. Right now, I have no idea what Edison is supposed to be doing. I feel like they have my money right now. Other than that, it was a good experience overall. Knowing that I have solar panels makes me feel a little bit more at ease and I have noticed a difference in my bills as well. It's a good choice to go solar.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Solar energy is awesome and enrolling with Sunrun was spectacularly easy and I’ve been telling everybody about it. I bought a brand new house and everybody in the development team was using Sunrun and I heard nothing but good things about them. Sunrun was also working with Costco, so it was a no-brainer to get. My electric bill went from an average of $350 a month to negative amounts. It’s extremely hot and I have my AC on full blast. Sunrun is on top of their game. I had a problem with the fuse though but they fixed it right away and then there was a follow up by the technician and he did an awesome job.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I was trying to reduce my energy cost, and then I had been recommended to Sunrun by my parents. Enrolling with Sunrun was easy. However, my experience with the customer service was not great. I would like to expand my system because they didn't give me enough panels at the beginning to cover my electric bill. They either don't respond or say they can't do it. I've had the system for about four or five years and haven't heard a word from them. They didn't come to check on it to make sure it's all working well. Even so, going solar is great. I'm 90% satisfied and I can save money from it. The installers were also great in installing the panel. I would tell others to go for Sunrun but to make sure that they would be given enough panels.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing, Rob. Our goal, as a company is to be customer obsessed. We are so excited to welcome you to the Sunrun family. Power Forward!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We've been thinking about reducing our bill so we looked into solar energy services and it was fairly easy enrolling with Sunrun. Their customer service was friendly. However, they weren't very helpful. Other than that, my Sunrun experience has been great.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out, Geoffrey. We are happy to hear you are satisfied with your solar system. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I started looking into solar energy service because of the economics and sustainability of it. Then, one of my friends sold Sunrun to me. Enrolling with them was great and the agent did everything. It was an easy process. Going solar has been great. However, there is no reading right now so I don't get any information. When I get my emails, it just says 000. Somebody needs to come out to reset it. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with the decision to go solar. It has taken our electric bill way down. I would recommend it.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Jenna! We sincerely appreciate you sharing your positive experience. Please contact customer care at 855-478-6786 regarding your metering issues. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun. Power Forward!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Electricity is so expensive in Hawaii and we decided it's sunny here a lot, so solar energy services made sense. I was trying to find a company that did solar since we are in Hawaii, and I found Sunrun online. I did a bit of research and found that they had better overall approval ratings from their customers when I did reviews. Enrolling with Sunrun was simple and the process went smoothly. The reps were good one time we called customer service about turning the system on.

At this point in time, since going solar we're saving about $50 a month. It may not seem like a lot of money, but when you put over a span of a year, it's a decent amount of 600 bucks, so we're happy. There was no out-of-pocket charge for us either. Other companies wanted us to pay $20,000 down, but I didn’t wanna do that. Sunrun's program allowed us not to pay anything down for installation. Sunrun put it in and they maintain it. We don’t get as much of a discount on the electric as we would if we owned it, but for us, it made more sense to do it this way. It's definitely worth it, especially if you aren’t happy with your current electric bill.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Enrolling with Sunrun was easy since they did all the work that was needed. They were the best program that was available at that moment and we've had great interactions with their customer service reps. They were very professional, they researched information, listened to our needs and found a solution that fit our needs. Going solar is good as we haven’t gone over our usage. It’s our first season with Sunrun and we’ve been able to keep our numbers down.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story, Amie! Our drive is to make solar hassle-free by being attentive and focusing on each individual customer's experience!. After all, we're only happy when you are! So thrilled you're with Sunrun! Power Forward

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I asked for a consultation or an estimate from Sunrun, and it was very easy. I didn’t sign up with them right away but after I interviewed a couple other companies, I called back my Sunrun rep and told him we would go forward. I really like the representative that we had. The interaction we had was quick and pleasant as well. Sunrun did not offer the best rates but because they were affiliated with Costco, we felt good. So far, we love going solar and we're very satisfied. We’re only one or two bills in for the cycle but we’ve been running our air and not flinching.

Sunrun response

We appreciate your review, Christy! We aim high when it comes to delivering the best customer experience! Our team goal is to be accommodating, and reliable. We are thrilled you're a part of our Sunrun family! Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I was selling my house and I wanted to have good solar as the benefit of the sale. My realtor suggested getting a quote from Sunrun and they offered the best deal financially among the three companies that I interviewed. Plus, they had the battery and that was the biggest thing with their service versus the other ones. So, I enrolled with them and it was really easy. They kept me updated by email and the person that came out was very informative. He also kept checking in and making sure everything was good to go, so the communication was on point.

The installation was also easy. It took just a day, so it didn't take too terribly long. When the guys left for the day, everything outside was cleaned up. One guy left a jacket on the roof which we found later, but they came back out and took it off of the roof. In the end, getting solar did help with the sale of my house and I ended up selling it shortly after getting Sunrun. They did a great job and I have recommended them a couple of times.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Kara! It's wonderful to hear things went so well for you, this is our goal! We appreciate you joining us in our mission to create a planet run by the sun. Power Forward!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

My experience when enrolling with Sunrun was positive. They were very responsive and answered all my questions. They sent a spreadsheet of the different factors that I was looking at and trying to compare them to Sullivan Solar Power. The responses I got from Sunrun were very accurate and complete so I felt real comfortable working with them. The attention to detail they provided and their willingness to respond to my questions made me go with Sunrun. They were totally above board. There was no evasion to convince me to put in something different than what I wanted.

We talked about the number of panels and why the numbers were appropriate for my consumption. Their price was also competitive. After the installation, I misread the instructions on how to activate it and I couldn't get the battery panel to record. I had to call Sunrun and talked to a lady there. They sent somebody out to check it, and the person showed me what I had misinterpreted and it worked out.

Going solar means a lot of savings in electrical charges, for the SDG&E charges are base amount every month and it's what they call a non-bypassable charge. Over seven months, my total bills that we'll settle out at the end of the year of the contract with SDG&E right now. I got $80 balance which is barely over the non-bypassable charges plus the taxes and surcharges with SDG&E. I've had a dead zero utility bill ever since I put the system in. I've got a swimming pool and three adults living here at the house. They're here consistently so I'm very satisfied with the system and I've recommended Sunrun to several people. I got one neighbor on the one side that doesn't have solar. He went with some other company and he's regretting it. He'd done his a couple years earlier than ours and he has not been that happy with his. But I'm fairly enjoying mine and appreciate it.

Sunrun response

We appreciate your review, Gary! We aim high when it comes to delivering the best customer experience! Our team goal is to be accommodating, and reliable. We are thrilled you're a part of our Sunrun family! Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I've been thinking about going solar for years but I wasn’t sure because of the location of my house. Then recently, I said that maybe I'd have somebody to look and see. Sunrun was recommended and the comments on the internet were good for them. The enrollment was a good experience. The only problem was they had a problem with their contractor and Sunrun had to drop them and get a new one. So that delayed the process for about three months. And while they figured out another contractor, we were isolated and there was a confusion about who was going to be the contractor in this. But we got in touch with their customer service team and our interaction was good.

The system is operating fine now and although there was only one time that it went out, they were right on it to fix it. It's also nice not having those big PG&E bills monthly. A lot of people can't afford to put one in straight out though. I paid for the whole thing for 20 years and the main reason was because I'm up in years and it would be transferred to my kids or to the new owners if they sell the house. I'm happy with mine and I'd tell others to look into it.

Sunrun response

Thanks for contacting us, John! It's great to hear you have had such a wonderful experience and we were able to resolve your broken panel concern. We are happy to have you as part of the Sunrun family!

Original review: July 30, 2018

Stay away from this company when purchasing solar systems. They are impossible to deal with and downright fraudulent with how they deal with their customers. I purchased a home with an $80K prepaid leased system by Sunrun. One meter transmission system had already failed (seller didn't tell me, not their fault), the second meter transmission system failed a few months later. I tried for months to get them to come out, they finally did and said they couldn't fix it. Refused to replace the transmission element and refused to pay to trench to my house to get to the router (really, in today's age of electronics, they don't have a transmission system that can reach my house which is barely 100 yards away).

Told me the only thing to do is manually read the meters, so I did that weeks ago. Now they're telling me the person who handles that is out of the office until the end of August. And PG&E is going to hit me with a $3500 bill in August because they haven't been receiving the meter readings from Sunrun. Sunrun has been paid, they don't care. Their response, "PG&E has payment systems to help you." Really? You're defrauding me of the energy savings that I paid for and that's your response? Stay far away from this company.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I believe that going solar is the way to go. And based on conscience and the fact that in seven years we don't have to pay for our electricity, my wife and I decided to do it. We also have an electric car and that was factored in to select how big of an installation we needed. A family member recommended Sunrun. They also had a partnership with Costco and they've got warranty. And when we talked with them, they were very professional in the whole approach to it.

So, we enrolled with them and the process was very well divided off in stages. We were very well informed for each stage in terms of what we went through and there was only one snafu when there was some guy from the utilities that needed to do a review. There was some mix up with the dates but that didn't really affect us. We had a project lead that took us through all of it. She sent us emails and called a few times to follow up with things, so there was no problem whatsoever. Then, the installation was pain-free. It took a day then it was up. Plus, the installers cleaned up after themselves and did a good job informing us about things.

So far, we are little more keen to use electricity during the day where we get it for free and we changed the time for doing certain things because of that. For instance, I used to wash our clothes during the night but now, I wash during the day. We also used to run the pool cleaner at night but now, we do it during the day when we have the electricity. We also have a battery but we more perceive that as a back up. I have been recommending Sunrun and I have been pushing a lot of family members to go solar as well.

Sunrun response

Thank you for contacting us, Peter. We delighted to know you had a wonderful customer experience and you are satisfied with your solar system. Welcome to the Sunrun family. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun! Power Forward!

Original review: July 29, 2018

We were trying to actually save money in the long run and the solar providers were all basically in the same ballpark. But Sunrun's battery cost seemed to be more effective, price-wise. They were also able to do things quicker. Enrolling with Sunrun was a good experience and the process was very easy. The wife thought that if we put solar on the roof, all energy was free. She figured she’d keep the hot tub at 103 and keep the air conditioner at 74 and everything would be free. But I told her it's not that way. You only produce five kilowatts of energy and when you use five kilowatts of energy or more than that at any moment versus the panels, you're paying for it. But I was onboard and everything Sunrun did was great.

I did something where they lease the panels to you but they control everything. That was sold to me by a friend of the wife who works for Sunrun. That person said it's great and really fair. Basically, the warranty is 20 years and if anything goes wrong with the panels, they would fix it. My only concern is the battery. I bought one and that was another $7,500 on the deal but I don’t control the battery. Sunrun would deplete the battery down to 80%. So everyday when the highest rate pops up, they would sell the energy back to my local energy company which is PG&E. I thought I would be able to draw from the battery whenever I wanted during that period or when the sun went down. But that isn’t correct and you've got to buy energy.

I talked to their customer service people and they were friendly and courteous. But the first two people I talked to didn’t know anything. Then the third person knew everything. But she jumped so far away from what the other two people were saying and I thought she was wrong but she was actually right. Also, the salesman was insinuating that in 10 years, they would replace the battery. That’s because batteries are prescribed to last 10 years so they warranty it for 10 years. But that was not really the truth.

They came back after the deal was paid for and said they would only replace the battery if they need to. They said that since they control the battery, they're gonna do the best for it so it could last for 20 years. They said that the battery doesn’t deplete itself partially as to when we're using it. It depletes completely as to when they use it. That wasn’t in the salesman’s pitch at all but in the long run, I'm still gonna save that money whatever it was for it. I would tell others to be careful. If you do that lease and you only put panels on your roof, you're fine. Just remember, you don’t control the battery. That aside, I'm very satisfied with going solar. It works. We've had the power go out twice and the solar turns on the things that were supposed to turn on. Also, the daughter, my son and I are fine with the air conditioner at 78. But when the wife comes home, she wants it at 76. With Sunrun, we can run the air conditioner and keep her happy.

Sunrun response

We appreciate your review, Wayne! We aim high when it comes to delivering the best customer experience! Our team goal is to be accommodating, and reliable. We are thrilled you're a part of our Sunrun family! Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: July 28, 2018

I had horrendous electric bills and going solar with Sunrun definitely reduced my electric bill. Sunrun is a good thing and when we were offline, the customer service team let me know and they sent somebody out to straighten it out.

Sunrun response

That's what we love to hear, Henry! Providing the best customer experience is key because our mission is to create a planet run by the sun. Thanks for sharing your story!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 26, 2018

I had no issues with Sunrun until July 10th. My system stopped generating power. I realized that there was an issue on the 13th and called their customer support line. We went through some troubleshooting steps that did not resolve the problem. I was promised a callback within a few days. Fast forward to the 19th. I hadn't receive a callback. I called the customer support line again. I was told that the Sunrun techs were busy and that they would refer my case to one of their contractor. I was promised a callback yet again.

A week after calling, I still hadn't received a callback. So I called again. I was promised yet again a callback. I got a dispatch case number and the phone number for the contractor in question. And of course, I was promised a callback. I eventually called the contractor who told me that they had just received the dispatch. I am now waiting for the contractor to call me back to schedule a service appointment. So I am now 15 days without generating power and I have yet to have a service appointment scheduled. I am dreading receiving the Xcel Energy bill since the panels offset a fair amount of the power we are using. I doubt that whatever compensation I get from Sunrun would cover the difference. So basically, Sunrun is great as long as the solar system works. They are useless once it doesn't.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out to us, Frederic. We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your solar system. A Specialist has sent you a direct message in regards to your concerns.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 26, 2018

When approached about adding solar panels to our house by Darius ** from Sunrun we were told, "You could cancel anytime," if we got solar panels. We have been looking at other houses and knew we were not going to be in this house long term and told him this. Darius said that would not be an issue. We can cancel anytime. The panels would be removed and the roof would be returned to its previous condition at no cost to us. He showed us graphs where our electric bill would be around $15 dollars a month after adding the solar panels (we would also be paying Sunrun $59 per month). He told us the paperwork signing was a maintenance agreement, not a 20 year lease.

Now we are trying to sell our home. We cannot "cancel anytime". The customer service representative gave us the option of prepaying the next 20 years as our only way out. But the next homeowner would still have to take over the lease. He also asked if he could buy the system and she told him no. In the contract p.13 section 4.a there is an option to buy the system at fair market value. She did not present this to him. Sunrun is not interested in solving this issues or helping to transfer the contract. We have not been producing adequate levels of solar power to make a significant difference in our bill (some months it has been higher than before we got the solar panels) or cover the cost of the Sunrun monthly payment. We were lied to.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Jessica. This is disheartening to hear of your dissatisfaction regarding the terms of your agreement. A Specialist has sent you private message in regards to your concerns.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I was looking to save money and I started looking into solar energy providers. I had a friend that had used Sunrun and they said they were a good company. I enrolled with Sunrun and they were very upfront and cordial and they came out to the house. The installation process went well. They were very fast. We had a little problem with one of the panels not working. Their rep came out within the day, and he even texted me a picture saying, “Yes, it’s all good now.” Our experience with going solar is going very well. Our bill has gone down tremendously. The summer months are not as good as other months, but we understand that with the heat. Sunrun takes care of their business.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for your review, Brian. That is what we love to hear! Providing the best customer experience is key for a successful relationship. So happy you took that first step to learn more about solar energy's advantages. We are thrilled to welcome you to the Sunrun!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had an excellent experience enrolling with Sunrun. It was easy and I was informed at every step. Additionally, they have very good customer service. Sunrun has a lease program that most companies do not offer so I went with them. Since then, I have less electric bills. In fact, my next door neighbor had a lot of questions and she plans to have it installed too. So far, I’m very satisfied with the experience and the idea of saving with solar.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing your story, Douglas. Our drive is to make solar hassle-free by being attentive and focusing on each individual customer's experience! We also understand strict safety, professionalism, and organizational standards go along way. After all, we're only happy when you are! So thrilled you're with Sunrun!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Sunrun did everything that needed to be done quickly and very well. They checked our eligibility and made sure everything was taken care of with the inspector. They were friendly and weren’t pushy. Their reps were really helpful if I had any questions and they were very good at communication. I also go on their website to do the payments and check how much was the solar power.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Paula.We love hearing stories like yours! Our team strives to provide the best customer experience. We are so excited you're a new part of our Sunrun family.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I initially had a great experience with the salesperson, whom I believe was the owner. He was very organized, polite, explained the system in detail, and how my bills would be affected. The process to get the panels installed took longer than I anticipated, but that doesn't mean it was too long. I don't believe I was educated enough on the process of installing solar panels, and overall I wasn't too concerned that the process was longer than expected. I've had the panels up and running now for about 5 months and noticed one thing...I'm paying more for my electricity now than I was before the panels.

I've waited to let the system become 100% operational, but still don't understand why I'm paying as much as I am...or more importantly...more than the salesperson explained I would pay to APS. Finally, I've tried to contact their customer service several times to discuss this. I don't know if there is something wrong with the system, if there were changes in my APS account I wasn't aware of, whatever the reasons... I just wanted to hear from someone to talk about possible answers.

It's been over a month since I received an email telling me a rep would be calling me. I've received one email response explaining what they thought could be the answer in very general terms. Their theory was wrong and I could have told them that quickly if I would have been called and we could have looked at other possibilities. The only assistance I have really gotten was someone from their customer service team looking for help reviewing a prototype webpage to help the consumer. However, I'm still paying more than I anticipated/was promised, and still have the same questions.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your contact, Andy! When it comes to your utility bills we cannot promise you will pay a specific amount because that is dependent on your own usage. A Specialist has reached out to you to see if we can tackle your savings concerns together!

Original review: July 3, 2018

Sunrun installation coordinators were very nice and easy to work with giving me frequent updates. Once the system was up and running and they had me committed with a contract the quality customer service ended. Shortly after the system was running I noticed after doing some research that the meter was wired backward giving a negative value when it shouldn't. Sunrun told me several times that is was ok. It wasn't until I sent them a copy of the Lucas meter installation manual that they agreed to come out and make it right. Easy job done in about 20 minutes.

Now after running for a while I noticed via the monitoring app that even when I had plenty of battery I am pulling power from the grid. I have contacted customer service many times about this. One and only one customer service reps said that it shouldn't be doing that. The rest just say that they will have someone contact me. This has been going on for at least a month now with no resolution. On top of that now my Sunrun monitoring app shows zero solar power production even though it is producing enough to charge the batteries on a sunny day. On another section of the monitor app it shows power production at a much higher KWH than is even possible.

One of the customer service reps noted that they used a Lucas meter while the inverter is SolarEdge equipment and thought that was kinda strange. I don't have any way of telling if my system is doing what I am paying for. I am still paying the power company albeit much less than I was. I don't have any confidence that Sunrun places any value on the customer or intention to take care of their equipment once the service is energized. If you chose to go with Sunrun I hope your experience is better than mine.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Keith. We can certainly understand your frustration, especially if you feel you are not seeing the benefits of going solar. We would like to better research this for you further. A Specialist has sent you a direct message.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Had to have solar panels removed in order to have our roof replaced. Spent 13,000 on a new roof. Upon reinstalling the solar panels they misjudged the placement of the panel brackets and drilled holes in my new roof. They tried to tell me they were safely brackets. Had my roofer out to inspect and he said, "No they are not." Now it’s going to cost me 350.00 to fixed. Tried to call Sunrun. They won’t return my call!

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Dawn. We certainly hate to hear this. We want to help with your situation and initiate our goal of providing a positive customer experience. A specialist has sent you a direct message so we can discuss this matter further.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I had two conversations with Sunrun. The first, I said that since I had notified them that there were pigeons under the panels they would have someone install barriers. The customer service person said that since it was not turned on yet they could do it. That was about 2.5 weeks ago. #2: I talked to another customer service person today and in effect said that they will not do it. If it is not resolved to my satisfaction I want the panels taken off the roof. I know that there is a lease agreement. I will use whatever legal means to nullify it if barriers are not put around the solar panels.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Edgar. We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction regarding your critter situation. Thank you for allowing me a chance to turn this experience around.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I'm all about green power and saving the planet. I went with Sunrun for their quality, the reviews that I've read, experience from other friends and very happy word of mouth. Their enrollment process was very easy and the experience was great. Sunrun has impacted my life tremendously. It saved me a lot of money and it saved a lot of the planet, too. I'm 100% satisfied with Sunrun. I've recommended them to about 15 friends and showed them my current power bill.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Mike. Great story, thanks so much for sharing. Providing each customer with a first-rate experience is what we aim for! So thrilled you're a member of our Sunrun family!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I thought about going solar to lower electric bills and enrolling with Sunrun was easy. The salesperson who came out to my house said there was a $250 gift certificate and then somehow, I was gonna cancel because they had to add more equipment. But then the rep Michael offered us $500. But suddenly now, he gave us $250. It was just a verbal agreement but the issue was all taken care of and I'm waiting to hear back from him on that.

During the installation, I had to go to work so they just installed the solar panels on top of the house and had to wait for APS to come and check it out and say it was okay to turn them on. And it took about a month and a half to get everything taken care of. My last electric bill was 180. I have received two and I paid 70 and 105. And they’re good. The first month I received $17 and this month I received $4 so I’m really happy with that. The people at Sunrun were professional, they got the work done and they got the system up running. I probably would recommend Sunrun but one should get things in writing.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Frank! We sincerely appreciate you sharing your positive experience. We can certainly use your feedback to improve. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to turn things around. Welcome to the Sunrun family!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I was very impressed with Sunrun. They were the first ones that contacted me when I was ready to listen. At that time, I was so mad at Indi Energy. They were even had to be taken to court to allow Sunrun or anybody to come into the state. We've had power outages because they don’t have enough energy. And when somebody took them to court and the court told them, Indi Energy backed down.

When I enrolled with Sunrun, I started with Russell who's in Arizona. He's very knowledgeable. In every conversation, he answered all my questions. He prepared me for what was coming up. Then during the actual installation, there hasn't been one gentleman who has not performed admirably. I'm in Nevada and the temperature here gets horrible, but they were up on the roof and were not wasting their time. Dave, one of the very nice gentlemen and who was the team lead, did the installation of the units on the side of the house and the job was perfect. In fact, the people next door went with somebody else and the stucco around their unit does not look like near as good as ours.

Since I have been through the process once, it was easier to work with Sunrun with my rental. Everything went perfectly. They did it all in one day just the same way they did with my primary residence. And then we had to wait for Indi Energy. It just so happened the day that Indi Energy showed up, I was at the rental. Their representative went over, checked out everything and then he told me that Sunrun is the best company. They do the best work they had ever seen. Soon, everything was ready for activation and I told them that I'll let my people know that it's ready. Their representative even offered to walk me through even though he can't do the activation. He told me the three sets of buttons that I had to push and flip and then it's up and running.

Sunrun response

Thank you for contacting us, Geraldine! We are delighted to know you had a wonderful customer experience and you are satisfied with your solar system. Welcome to the Sunrun family. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun! Power Forward!

Original review: June 24, 2018

Home Solar Installation - 06/06/18, Wednesday. The Sunrun team arrived with 3 vehicles and 8 workers. Initially there was a problem on where to put the inverters and associated equipment. The Supervisor and I discussed options and concerns. Finally, a location just behind the fence gate was chosen. They went to work without delay and I was very impressed with the work ethic… In fact, I don’t think I observed them ever taking a break and I came out once every half hour to an hour to observe and to photograph the progress.

Most of the work in the beginning is on preparing the roof for the solar panels… measurements, anchor and attach points, cutting rails to size, wires, conduit, and of course, installing the inverters on the side of the house. There is a lot of preparation work that has to be done that most people will not notice unless they watch all the time. A midday shower with lightning did interrupt work for an hour. Because of their continuous work, I bought them lunch so they can relax and enjoy it during the rain. They finally quit fairly late and would be back the next day.

06/07/18, Thursday. The team returned (all the way from Tampa) at 9:30 and got right to work again. This is when everything started coming together. This is when I got to observe their honesty and integrity. Apparently one of my portable solar LED lights was damaged the day before without me noticing it. They purchased a new one and gave it to me with their apologies for breaking the old one. I have hired many professionals that have broken some of my equipment. Rarely would they even mention it leaving me to find out long after they were gone.

Every time I came out to see what was going on, you could see more and more panels installed. The equipment on the side of the house was finished and the installation looked absolutely perfect. Again it appeared that no breaks were taken until the very end when too many people could hamper the final work. Testing was done to make sure the panels were producing power. I was given instructions on how to operate the system and when I could expect the final approval to turn the system on to produce my own energy. The team finished up around 1:30 pm, cleaned up the area and then I took them out for a late lunch before they had to head back to the warehouse.

Total Impression. I have always wanted to have a solar panel installation and I have previously gotten estimates from different places. As with the other companies, I got the Sunrun estimate and through several cycles of exchanging information, I started to question the amount of money for the whole project. It wasn’t until after the project was finished that I realized the amount of work that goes into it. Much of this is behind the scenes work that you may or may not see. Some of those items are work permits and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that working with local and federal governments can be a pain in the rear.

Other behind the scenes work are calculating previous total power usage, house orientation and roof angles, plus engineering and construction plans take up many hours to figure out how to generate the most power using the least amount of panels. Then, the installation of using 8 workers for nearly two days of labor, the inverters, panels, wiring, anchors, rails and everything that goes into this project to make it a reality… this is when you realize the amount of money needed to buy the equipment, pay the workers and still make a profit for the company.

The very next day, Matt, a Sunrun representative, called to outline the remaining steps to the day when I can turn on the system. My contacts, Chris, Maegen and Matt have helped me through the entire process and their efforts are truly appreciated. I am very impressed with the quality, integrity and professionalism of the workers in this project. June 20, 2018. I knew it would be almost two weeks before I get the new meter from the power company but I received a notice saying that the paperwork was not correct because of the classification tier of my project. I notified my reps, Maegan, Chris and Matt via email about the problem. June 22, 2018. Great customer service. The paperwork was finished AND my new meter was installed and I am getting my energy from the sun.

The only negative I have for Sunrun was the fact that if my commercial power fails for any reason, then I don't get the benefits of my solar panels. This was not clearly explained to me. Since I live in Florida where there is a chance of hurricanes, or lightning will take out the power in the local area or the many stupid drivers here will take down a power pole... this was pretty darn important to me. Knowing that in advance would not have changed my mind, I would have looked for other ways to provide power in such an event. I recently found out that the State of Florida is now allowing Sunrun to add a battery system to their systems. This would allow you to continue generating power to your home even when commercial power is out. Had I known this before, I would have added it to my system.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Rick! We really enjoyed reading your review! We are so thrilled to hear about your satisfaction with choosing to go solar with Sunrun. We are in hopes that the rest of your experience with us will exceed that. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: June 24, 2018

I had several neighbors that had solar energy and I knew they were really pleased with it. One told me about and how much he was saving and helping the environment and we decided to look into it. All of our neighbors had Sunrun so I didn't even research companies because I knew my neighbor who started it had thoroughly researched and was very happy. She's had it for a couple of years so I thought that's enough reason. It was all based on her recommendation. The enrolment process was extremely easy because Sunrun took care of everything. But the process took a long time. The inspector guy was sick then the electric company had to come about and they had to change something and then the electric company had to come out again. It was from November till April to get the solar energy turned on.

During the installation, the installers showed up in the morning. They said that they were going to start 'cause it's supposed to rain and they started working. We figured they would have to come back the next day but they apparently sat in their truck while it rained. I was impressed that they stayed, had their lunch and waited for an hour so they finished it in one day. We've been very satisfied with our decision to go solar. However, the electricity would flicker a lot during the first six weeks and we were really concerned. It even shut off our computer a couple of times. I made a phone call and Sunrun said I need to take a picture of what the meter was saying and depended it resolved itself. But I think it was just our power window stored enough. With Sunrun, we're saving $70 a month and I like having it and using the natural environment to create power. They did an excellent job all the way and I've already recommended a couple of people to them.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Laura. It is very encouraging to hear you had such a positive experience. We aim to keep solar simple by operating efficiently, as well as, being helpful and friendly at every point in the process. We want to welcome you to the Sunrun family!

Original review: June 24, 2018

My mom doesn't work anymore and she has a few people living in her house. With a lot of electricity, her bill was high. I was in Costco and I saw a person talking about Sunrun. And I know Costco doesn't advertise anything that's not gonna work. The enrollment with Sunrun was a long process and they went step by step. With the sign-up process, it was kinda difficult if you were not ready or if you didn't get the right information. But if you got everything right, there should be no problems. The customer service was also pretty good. I had a couple of questions and they helped me with whatever they could. So far, going solar has been good. I've been paying some really cheap bills. If anyone is having high bills, go solar. And I really recommend Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing your experience, Miguel. We are so pleased you are satisfied with your system. We also want to thank you for thinking of the environment and helping us create a planet run by the sun. Welcome to the family!

Sunrun expert review by Zachary Shahan

In business for over 10 years, SunRun services more than 100,000 customers in 22 states. The company specializes in customized solar energy systems and offers a lifetime warranty on its products.

• Multiple financing options: SunRun lets you pay for your solar energy system in many ways. If you want to lease the system, you can pay SunRun a set amount per month or pay them a higher up-front fee and avoid the monthly payment. If you want to own the system, you can pay off the system in full or finance it with a loan.

• Lifetime warranty: SunRun guarantees the performance of its product throughout the product’s lifetime. This warranty promises free repairs on your solar energy system. SunRun’s systems also include a roof warranty in case of leaks or holes.

• mySunRun app: With SunRun’s mobile app, mySunRun, you can track your system’s production, share your system’s stats via social media and change your billing preferences. The app also helps you submit customer support issues and refer friends to SunRun in exchange for Visa gift cards.

• LG Chem battery: With SunRun, you can purchase an LG Chem battery in addition to your solar energy system. This battery can store the excess energy that your system produces, making it available to you in the event of an outage.

• States available: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, HI, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT, WY

• Best for: homeowners who want a customized solar energy system.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sunrun Company Information

595 Market Street, 29th floor
San Francisco
www.sunrun.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business