2. Solar Energy

3.6/5 (199 ratings)

About Sunrun

Sunrun sells and leases customized residential solar energy systems and its Brightbox battery storage service in 20 states. Customers can own or lease a system with $0 down. Sunrun offers free energy consultations and quotes. Over 250,000 homes across the U.S. have gone solar with Sunrun, according to the company.

Pros

• Flexible payment options
    • Daily system monitoring
    • Warranty with complete coverage

Cons

• Limited price transparency
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Sunrun offers personalized home solar energy system design, with the option to lease or purchase with monthly payments. Customers are generally satisfied with their solar systems, but some say the initial cost was high.

Top Sunrun Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Sunrun is the best solar company you can find out there. They are very cost effective compared to other solar companies out there. I am very happy with my purchase and would refer...

Verified

… My solar system is producing as much as our Sunrun rep promised us. We are very happy and satisfied with the service. Sunrun offers several solar options, we decided to go with ...

What is Sunrun?

Sunrun is a residential solar panel company that designs, installs, finances, monitors, maintains and insures its systems. It customizes home systems based on energy usage history, the customer’s design preferences and the roof space, using an automated site modeling tool that profiles roof characteristics like shading, pitch and sun exposure.

As of the time of publishing, in 19 of the 20 states where it sets up solar energy systems, Sunrun also offers its Brightbox battery service to new customers. Brightbox provides eight to 12 hours of backup electricity in case of an outage.

Sunrun provides a “bumper-to-bumper” warranty on all solar equipment, which features free repairs and replacement of equipment, including parts and labor. Sunrun monitors customers’ systems daily to make sure they're performing optimally and includes full insurance coverage that covers theft and damage.

Sunrun cost

The average cost for a solar energy system ranges from $15,000 to $29,000, but Sunrun’s prices are sometimes higher than other solar energy providers because of the technology it uses. Fill out a form on its website to get a free solar energy consultation and quote. Sunrun partners with Costco to make solar panels available to its members at lower prices.

There are multiple ways to pay for a Sunrun system, with eligible customers able to go solar for $0 down. Sunrun offers monthly leases (BrightSave Monthly), full leases (BrightSave Prepaid, a power purchase agreement), purchases with financing (BrightAdvantage) and full purchases (BrightBuy). The monthly lease option is the customer favorite, according to Sunrun.

Sunrun takes care of paperwork, permits and installation, whether you lease or buy.

Sunrun installations

Sunrun customizes solar system installations based on factors like a customer’s energy usage history and a home’s roof. Solar advisors use a proprietary design technology, BrightPath, to analyze your home and energy needs.

Once you and Sunrun finalize the design, Sunrun submits all necessary paperwork for approval from your local government.

Once the system is approved, installation starts. Installation can take from one to five days. After installation is complete, the crew foreman explains how the system works and shows you how to power it on.

Your local government must inspect and approve the system before you can connect it to the grid. The utility company installs a net meter so Sunrun can track how much solar electricity you produce and use. Upon approval from the utility company, you can begin using your solar panels. The entire process can take several months to complete. A Sunrun project coordinator can give you an approximate timeline.

Sunrun warranty

All of Sunrun’s solar plans come with a “worry-free” warranty, which covers equipment repairs and replacement, including parts and labor. Sunrun installations also come with a roof warranty that guarantees any roof penetrations remain watertight for 10 years.

When you lease a solar energy system from Sunrun, all maintenance costs are covered. If you purchase a Sunrun system, you're responsible for maintenance costs and any repairs that aren’t covered by the warranty.

Sunrun FAQ

Where is Sunrun available?
    Sunrun is available in the following states, as well as in Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.
    • Arizona
    • South Carolina
    • Texas
    • Vermont
    • Wisconsin
    What solar panels does Sunrun use?
    Sunrun uses LG solar panels, such as the NeON 2. LG solar panels are made of monocrystalline cells, which are known for higher efficiency and slower degradation.
    Where are Sunrun solar panels made?
    Sunrun solar panels are manufactured in South Korea.
    What is the Sunrun app?
    The Sunrun app, mySunrun, allows you to see how much energy your system is producing, along with system features and billing information. It is available for Apple and Android devices.
    What is Sunrun’s cancellation policy?
    You can cancel or make changes to your Sunrun solar agreement within 21 days of signing the contract as long as it’s before the installation date.
    Who owns Sunrun?
    Sunrun was co-founded by CEO Lynn Jurich in 2007. It is a publicly traded company with significant capital investments from Pacific Gas and Electric Company and Sequoia Capital.
    Where is Sunrun headquartered?
    Sunrun is based in San Francisco.

Is Sunrun a good company?

We like that Sunrun guides clients through the design and installation process. The company strives to offer the easiest and smartest way to join the clean energy revolution. Solar energy systems with Brightbox battery service give you more than savings — they also give you control of your electricity, letting you save power to use during peak times or when there’s an outage.

Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: June 23, 2021

Maria gave me a proposal at the beginning of eight panels. The idea was it could be enough and 30% more than our current usage at the time. But then, I was a bit skeptical because we were frugal. We just started our family, so we just want to be conservative and be frugal. We have a tiny account. As my sales rep would say, we're the tiniest that she has ever seen. I was desperate at that time because I also lost my job, and everything came into the account. The fact that she didn't disregard me as a potential customer, welcomed me with open arms, and showed me this awesome grand proposal, was a welcoming introduction on the part of Sunrun.

Reading through a lot of horror things about other companies too, like, "Oh, after we installed our panels, no one ever get in touch with us, and our panel actually stopped working and no one knew. And then, we were trying to...", I was a little bit skeptical. I talked to Maria and she said, "You know what? If you would like to, I can call another customer," who she has been helping for a long time and around my area that I can talk to.

Our winter bill is even more than our summer bill. It's crazy. Maria was able to help me recalculate and meet my needs, and also my goal. She was very accommodating, and she was able to help me and design the panel to be instead of eight, it's 11 panels that we have up on our roof. It was great once the system was on. It went by so quickly. Maria, who is my sales rep, is amazing. She constantly called me back to give me updates and what I need to do and look out for and things that I need in preparation for the application and even the installation process. Everything went very well and very smoothly.

But the only thing that I wish I would have done a bit differently was to not install my solar panel at the time that I did. Because the last winter, we installed a solar panel. It was installed during October, and we generate a bit of electricity, but over the wintertime, it's not enough to sustain over the winter, and we still have to pay electricity. I would have gone for like a spring installation instead of fall. It didn't help us during the wintertime. So, I wasted a good amount of five months of our $1 per month promotion. That was my biggest disappointment.

Sunrun response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Karmen! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for playing such an important role in our solar community and for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 18, 2021

I'm a Costco member. And years ago, before I got them, my electrical bill was out of control. I was shopping at Costco and approached by one of the persons there at a kiosk. And they mentioned to me about the program. I had a meeting with a representative. They came to my house and they surveyed my property. And we decided to go with them. At the time, my kids were small. They’ve grown more so we use more power now. And we decided to call them back, get a Tesla battery and more panels to offset my electrical bill.

Sunrun does a good job based on what they commit. On the second contract, I signed with them this last year. My mindset was more that it was through Costco. But when I contacted them, they told me that they had nothing to do with Costco at that point, unless I bought the system outright. So there weren't many options. The first time, there were. I could lease it, and it would go through Costco. This time, they said they couldn't do anything that had to do with Costco. The contract would be a Sunrun contract. It gave me the idea that they were trying to stay away from Costco in case there was a problem.

I was walking in Costco and I was approached by one of the person said, "Hey, do you have a battery at your house?" And I said, "No, I don't." "Well, Sunrun offers one." I said, "Well, my bill has gone up. So I think I need more panels. I might as well look into the battery, too." And when my guy contacted me, he said, "Well, we would give you a contract with something to do with Costco if you buy the system outright." I said, "Well, I'm not gonna buy it outright. I would lease it again." So he said, "If you do that, we're going to be on our own. We're not going to have nothing to do with Costco." So, in other words, they are promoting their business through Costco, but when it comes down to the contract, they don't want to do anything with Costco anymore. It's bait-and-switch. I took it like a bad kind of a deal. But I still did it because I'm already a customer with them. They gave me a $2,000 gift card for doing that.

I recommended my neighbor. He was good at first. He signed a contract. He backed out of the contract before the three days they give you to back off. I asked him why. He said, "Because the rate doesn't sound right." So he decided to go back. And they give you a referral deal if you refer someone. But they didn't give me that. I didn't care at that point. My neighbor still got it. I have my own business. So I'm a man of my word. If I tell a customer "I'm going to do this" I do it for them regardless. I contacted the rep and said, "Well, you gotta pay the person that signed him up." I said, "I referred my neighbor to you first." "Yeah, but they backed off on the contract." But other than that, the system works fine.

Sunrun response

Wow, thanks for your review, Francisco! It's so great to hear you have had such a wonderful experience, twice!

Original review: June 15, 2021

My neighbor has solar and they were saying the city's kind of hostile to it. Sunrun told me that was not a problem and they'd work it out. They are not cheap at all but they're a turnkey. There's a lot of fun paperwork to do and they handled all that. They would periodically update me. They played with the city and talked with them and coordinated all the permits. Then their installation team which is a contracted outfit came and took care of everything. It didn't take long at all to do everything.

Sunrun, as a company, is okay. But I do have some annoying issues that I haven't been able to get them to resolve yet. They're mounting the panels to the roof and you got bolts in your beams. During the daytime, it will periodically knock. It's a little annoying. Sometimes, I hear it then I have to think about a second what that was. I went back and forth with Sunrun and took pictures, video and sound recordings. Also, I would ask them about the mobile app and they said to go to their website and I can view all the stat.

According to the math, it's gonna take about 10 years for the system to pay for itself and that's helped by our tax rebate and Costco putting in their rebates. That's still not looking at whatever maintenance that we may still need to do. I live in Texas and Texas is hard on roofs so roofs need to be replaced from time to time. It's not that I'm expecting that the panels need to be replaced because of hail but I'm expecting since 100% of the roof is not covered with panels, I will still, potentially, have on the other side of the roof different parts that I need to replace. I don't know what it's going to cost to have someone come out, take the panels off, have the roofers come and replace the roof and that's going to push the payback further. But Sunrun did help. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably do exactly the same thing.

Sunrun response

Thank you for sharing your experience, Darwin. We are thrilled to have you in our Sunrun family. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: June 8, 2021

Friends of ours had Sunrun installed and they seemed to be pleased so we went ahead and contacted Sunrun because we were interested in getting solar ourselves. Where I work, we also installed solar there and we saw the huge cost savings that we're getting there. We didn't use Sunrun for the install on my business because they didn't do the commercial side of it but the experience I had with them and the fact that we got more knowledge with them did help our decision moving forward to do the install on our own home. My sister ended up going through Sunrun as well for their previous house.

The one representative I spoke with, Danny, seemed to meet all the issues I was looking for. He was very knowledgeable and personable. He came out and met with me personally when he didn't have to because of the whole stuff going on with covid. We had a representative come out and did aerial photos of our house first. They inspected the roof, the location where the unit was going to be going and our electrical panel. After they had done that, they went back to their offices and came up with the install plan that they were going to proceed with. They ran it by me and got my approval on it. After that, they ran it through the city and got the approvals for doing the install on our home through the city inspectors. Once permit was obtained, they set up the installation date with us prior. They gave us a two-week notice. They arrived, did the install and did a pretty professional job on it.

Going solar, we're able to keep our house cooler which is nice. We are definitely seeing the savings because our electric bill, normally, during this time of year, would be close to $400, and right now, we're just paying a constant price of $130. The only thing that we do have downside of it is we are wanting to get the battery as well and we have not gotten it yet. When we first were looking at it, we didn't think that we'd want the battery, but we decided that we wanted it. But since we'd already paid or signed our docs, we're no longer considered a new customer. We were considered existing customers so the deals that they had for new customers did not apply to us.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your review, Lee! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money with solar. Our goal is to make solar an easy and enjoyable experience for you and we're delighted that you're part of the Sunrun family. Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: May 21, 2021

Searching for solar panel companies, I did a lot of research and a few different lists mentioned Sunrun. I thought, “Okay. They've got a good reputation on three different lists.” I contacted them and let them know what I needed. They sent their representative out to give me an estimate on the solar panels on the roof then we talked about financing. I chose Sunrun over other companies and initially, the process went very well. The project manager came out to look at the house and go over my monthly electrical costs so she could put together an estimate for me. She was friendly and easy to work with. I thought she would be my project manager for the entire project, but that turned out not to be the case.

Sunrun gave me a different project manager after the project started. I wasn't aware that they made that change, so I initially kept sending emails to her rather than the new project manager. Disclosing the new project manager would have gone over better. Another concern was Sunrun did not inform me about one aspect of the battery backup system, and clearly, that caused some extra expenses on my part. So, I told Sunrun, “I want the battery backup system for the house. And I want it set up so that if there's a power outage, the battery backup system automatically kicks in so I never lose power to certain parts of the house.” They set up the battery backup, but they didn’t connect it to the circuitry of the house, or they had not planned to do so

They changed my request and when I found out later, they said, “Oh, we did tell you. It was on the documents.” I went back to the document, and lo and behold, it said "outlet for battery backup system". I realized they were just gonna put an outlet on the outside of the house, and so to power my home, I would need to run an electrical extension cable out to the battery and then bring that into the house and plug things in. That was not what I wanted. I wanted to be able to turn on the lights and do a lot more. I wouldn’t be able to plug that stuff into an outlet. I wish they had made that clear upfront, like, “Oh, you had asked for the battery backup to just kick on automatically during a power outage, and that we changed to be an outlet-based power supply system.”

That was something I did not like. I asked, “What do I need to change this?” They said, “Oh, you'll need to hire an electrician to take the four parts of the house that you want powered and put them on the main panel outside rather than a separate electrical panel, which is in one of the bedrooms.” I was like, “Oh, okay.” I had to hire an electrician to do this for a few hundred dollars. I had to complete that and that was separate as well, so that was on my own expense. I wish they told me that upfront. They also said they had to do it because those circuits through the house were on the subpanel in the bedroom rather than on the main panel outside. I was like, “Okay. If you had disclosed that to me upfront, I would have known to ask about that upfront.”

Another thing is I originally thought they would do the installation that November or December of 2019. However, they had some of their installation crew busy at the time, so they couldn't work on that. They rescheduled to March/April of 2020. That was when the shutdown started because of the pandemic. The electrical crew couldn’t come out. It got rescheduled yet again. Finally, the electrical crew came out in June to do the work. They did a thorough job. They were professional as well as easy to interact and work with. They knew their stuff and I could talk to them, like as one engineer to another. It was like, “Okay. This guy understands stuff.” I liked the electrical crew that came out. They also used high-quality materials from the equipment to the battery and to the solar panels.

I recommend the materials that they used. I also liked working with guy who came out and did the roof survey, where to put panels and did the electrical analysis of the house. On the other hand, project management could’ve been handled better. Overall, I still recommend Sunrun, but just know that you might have to be on top of things. You have to look at the details and some of the documents to be fully aware of what's going on ‘cause they may not disclose it. “Oh, we changed this on one of the documents or changed this thing on the electrical diagram.” You also need to know what that means.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your review, Richard! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part by helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: July 25, 2021

Just had our solar installed yesterday. It has been a headache from the get-go. Our sales rep Amy told us that we would be getting black panels and that we would be able to put our battery in the garage. The contract was changed multiple times because she told us we needed less panels than we did. There were a ton of excuses about why she was wrong on this and there was a lot of back and forth just on the amount of panels we would need. We decided ourself to max it out because we will be getting a pool and needed the panels to cover running the pool filter as well. They showed up to our house on time and there were materials that were not brought with them, they were lazy and stood on our new plastic shed and broke it, poor foreman was left to pick up trash they had left in our yard for two hours after they other crew left. They finished and it was dark so they could not check the system.

Now we have to wait to see when they will come back out to do that. Came outside to find that we have the exact opposite of black panels. They are exactly the old style ugly lines panels that Amy told us we would NOT have. Also as soon as we told them battery in the garage they told us it wasn’t allowed in CA to be inside the garage. Amy knew I didn’t like the look of those panels and insisted ours would be black. I texted her last night to let her know how upset I was that I have these big grid panels on the front of our house and she came back with oops sorry for the misinformation but these panels absorb more sun than the black ones so I should be happy and also that the rule changed July 1st about the battery placement.

She completely lied to us to get that sale and it is beyond shady. We were convinced this wouldn’t be a scam or have any issues since Costco is aligned with them, but we were wrong. Can’t wait to see what awaits us next after reading these reviews. I take reviews with a grain of salt but these 1 stars were right. Since the first two things we were told would happen were lies, I guess we shall see what shakes out next.

Sunrun response

Original review: July 23, 2021

The installation of our Sunrun solar was, and still is, a train wreck from day one. The first install by TITAN, there were two needed, had pipes all across our front entry way. It seriously looked like a third-world hack job that my teenage boys did. So bad that my wife actually cried when she saw it and a few neighbors came over and were pissed at how it presented itself in our neighborhood. Not a joke or an embellishment. Needless to say that was pulled down and a prelim to what is.

First decent rain, the roof leaked like crazy. Water spots on the ceilings across four bed rooms. NICE HUH? I go up into the attic to discover SEVERAL breaches, (I have many photos) with many 8 inch screws completely missing the roof trusses they are to be mounted to. Other areas where I can only assume they missed and knew they missed, had a clear slime squeezed into the holes. Brilliant top-notch work I tell you. I call and email, send the photos of the breaches and water damaged ceilings, Titan quickly sends out two people to patch the breach areas. Nice guys really. All good right? Their own repairman tells me what a terrible install job was done... But I bet that isn't in any report I'd ever see. The water-marked ceilings, apparently are at my expense.

After the SunRun/Titan patch-job, and now weeks later it rains heavy today in Las Vegas and the water marks are back...and larger than previously. It's a shame I can't post photos as this being year two, can you image at year ten what condition our home will be in? To say I'm upset is an understatement to say the least. Side note, and I am 100% correct on this fact. SunRun sends out a roof inspector to make sure your roof is in topnotch shape and approved to have solar installed.

The roof "inspector" your SunRun salesman tells you will inspect your roof, to positively make sure it's OK to install solar panels, is NOT actually a "licensed" roofing inspector at all! Fun fact no? Misrepresentation across the board with any SunRun salespeople. There are pages and pages of online complaints about these... Sooo, I can check off boxes on a piece of paper. I guess I too am a qualified roof inspector for one or your largest investments where your family feels most protected. Who knew?

Just so EVERYONE is aware. Home roofs are NOT built for solar panel installation. They are an after thought add-on and NOT in any building plans from a contractor. Otherwise changes in the structural roof build would be implemented prior to construction. Can your roof hold them, yes, however it's NOT constructed to do so. So, in my now humble opinion, and after speaking with a few actual roofers, your roof WILL inevitably leak because of the large diameter holes being drilled through it during solar panel installation. It may not happen right away like mine did yet look again at that contract... The SunRun "leak" warranty is only for five years. Why do you think that is?

Lets try and guestimate my future repair costs. 18 panels that SunRun conveniently forgets to tell you must pay them to have removed and reinstalled if you need a new roof that they destroyed yet won't take blame for, plus the cost of a complete roof replacement... Anyone have an extra S30,000-$40,000 they can send my way? And, so everyone is also aware, SunRun can't be sued for anything. The conman... Sorry, contract, buries that little tidbit way deep. ALWAYS ask a solar sales rep for a PRINTED copy of the contract to look over. I also highly suggest video recording all in-person conversations. What is being told to you is not actuality.

If you do want solar be sure to red-line the daylights, in detail, out of the contract or better yet hire an attorney to do so until you are truly covered to include class-action litigation in your state. Get a LICENSED roof inspector to look over your home BEFORE a solar company does and compare the results. I bet the results will be drastically different and a licensed roof inspector will advise you to NOT install solar panels. I'll update this post and each year we'll see how this goes.

Sunrun response

Hi Patrick M. We would like to apologize for your negative experience with Sunrun. We are saddened to hear that your experience has not been the greatest. We want to make sure we are fixing any service issues promptly. We'd like to learn more about your specific situation and make things right. Please private message us.

Original review: July 12, 2021

To date, I am still gaining experience with my solar installation and performance. I'm still assessing my overall savings. As I gain more experience, I'll be better my results more accurately. The solar system appears to be performing well. I plan to continue to monitor my overall costs to determine annual savings as compared to prior years pre-solar experience,

Sunrun response

Thanks for your review! We're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us! You have enough decisions to worry about, and it's our goal to make going solar an easy choice. Thank you for choosing us for many more rotations around the sun!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: July 11, 2021

In May 21, for 2 wks, the inverter was not working. The tech support came & found out the unit didn't get updated. He also discovered the panels already have some degradation & took pictures of it. On 6/24 & 6/27, the panels produced very little energy 2.61 & 0.39kWh. I called support again and they walked me thru restarting the inverter. I compared the 6 mths of 2021 vs the previous years and energy production is decreasing further. I explained this to support and of course they explained the panels are in working condition & argue the low production is due to clouds/strength of the sun. I installed this panels in June 2016 and have a guaranteed production of 20 yrs on both the solar and inverter. And this is just 5 years and the solar/inverter is NOT working as it should. Now I am regretting this purchased and wish I would have gone to Sun Power since they've better panels! Also I found out I can't even add more panels.

Sunrun response

Oh no! We're so sorry to hear this. We definitely want to make sure you have a positive experience. Please send us a private message so that we can look into this. Thank you!

Original review: July 10, 2021

The system and project program seems great so far. Problem is getting the company to honor and issue their promised rebates. Almost a year out and I have yet to receive them. One has been fraudulently used while no one seems to know anything about the second one.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for letting us know. We are sorry this was your experience, we would be frustrated too! We'd be happy to address this issue please reply to the private message so we can address this in detail.

Sunrun Company Information