Call toll free
3.95/5
Based on 434 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT and WI

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

523 Sunrun Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 17, 2018

We saw an advertisement of Sunrun in Costco and contacted them through Costco. We were already looking at going with another provider, but we decided to get a competitive second bid. And not only was Sunrun a better fit for us, they provided more solar panels at a lower price. And they had fantastic customer service and great people as well. The whole experience was great. They came here and they walked me through the process. There was a series of many crews who came in and they did a fantastic job. They left the area clean and even took care of dry-walling and making the house actually look better than it was before they even got here.

They were also open to my suggestions. For example, the other company had given me one diagram for the ideas of how they would put the solar panel. Sunrun suggested a different way. And I took pictures over a series of a week. And then sent the Sunrun representatives and engineer pictures, and made a different suggestion. And then they took all of those and actually came out with the final plan that was a variation of all of them so that I would get the best or the most sun for our solar panel. They left to get it done further even though it took extra time. And they just were very supportive, so I greatly appreciated that. We’ve already told others to definitely go with Sunrun and leave the others behind. Sunrun definitely is the best price and you get the best product. You get a 20-year warranty, too. So no one can beat Sunrun in this area.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We wanted to get a solar energy service to save money over time. A Sunrun vendor in the neighborhood came over to the house and explained it to us. Everything was very easy with the enrollment process with Sunrun. It was all seamless and all we had to say was “Yes”, and they were there to do everything. The installation was very easy as well. All we had to say was a day when we were available and it was next Wednesday. Then they said they would be there and we didn't have to be. But I showed up anyway just to see how they were doing.

They did the job on their own and there was nothing broken. I couldn’t even tell that the solar panel was there until I had to go really looking for it. I knew where they were gonna go on our house but you can’t really see that side so you’d have to go look. So they did a really good job with that. They were trying to hide it by keeping it out of sight and running all the pipes and everything matched with the house. You can’t even really tell that anything had changed.

Originally when we were turning the system on, I’d missed a step on my end, and I had to call the customer service team and ask if the thing was even on. They said that happens all the time and they walked me through the process. Then within a few minutes, we verified that the system was on and we were up and running. They were very helpful and fast. Everybody has been very nice, from the sales guy all the way up to customer service. We had a really good experience. And then their interface on their website, their app, is really nice also. We can see how much power we’ve made per day, per week and per month, which is pretty neat.

We have the monthly payment that we make to Sunrun which is much less than the bill that we were giving to PG&E. And we could tell right away that we were saving some money. We feel better about it. We’ve already told a bunch of people about Sunrun and I told them that the company has been awesome. And if they haven’t gone solar, I told them that they need to do it because it has been an amazing thing. My parents are from the high desert plains of Texas where there's sun year-round just like in California. So they will benefit from solar.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I started looking into getting solar energy because PG&E’s rates are outrageous. Sunrun was the first one that popped up, and I talked to them the most. They had a lot of communication, so it worked out with them. Enrolling with them was pretty easy and simple. There was always someone there to talk to and help me out the whole process. They did call me to ask if everything was okay and if I had any questions. But I didn't.

Installation was also pretty easy. They sent me an email. And the project manager got a hold of me, explained the sense of the processes and kept me updated on what was going on all the time. And then from there, it was just waiting on the permits. Once I got the permits, it was pretty simple and quick. It took about four hours of it. I was really happy with my experience going solar. It went from roughly around $50 of electricity down to 4 bucks. And that’s during this season with 65 degrees all day. They’re a great company and smooth going installation. It was also a very smooth transition to get the panels on the building.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Austin! It's wonderful to hear things went so well for you, this is our goal! We appreciate you joining us in our mission to create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: June 14, 2018

My brother in-law in California has Sunrun and I already had solar on my previous house from Solar City. So, I got an estimate from Sunrun, Solar City and one other company. They all came out with the same design and all the prices were about the same. I was happy with Solar City at the last job, so I signed up with them but when they came out, they were gonna put half of it on the roof and half of it on the garage. I wanted it all on the roof of the house and so, I didn’t approve their final design. I called up Sunrun who came out and said they could do it that way. And they did. Going solar with Sunrun has been great. It’s a good thing and I would give them a good recommendation.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I was in Costco and I saw the solar lady there and then we started talking. I was looking into solar a little bit, but everybody that I had to come over the house only talked about leasing. And Sunrun was the only one that talks about buying, not leasing. So I ended up going with selling. Enrolling with them was pretty easy. She took my name, my phone number and my address. And then she said someone was gonna call me. And then 20 minutes later, somebody called me and set up a date to come over. Installation was really surprising. It was way quicker than what I thought it was gonna be. My Edison bill went down to 13 bucks, which is nice. But I’m still paying the monthly for the solar panel. But then once it’s paid off, I’m gonna be saving a lot more. I told my parents and brothers that they should get Sunrun. I would definitely recommend Sunrun.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: June 12, 2018

We starting a project of getting solar installed with Sunrun in our new home shortly after we moved in in October 2016. Through our time working on this project, we have run against a lot of confusion, errors and overall frustrations. There are many solar companies that we have talked to but we decided to move forward with your company due to your connection with Costco. We have always been impressed with Costco and figured a company working with Costco should have a similar customer focus and professionalism. I would like to go through a few of our many frustrations that we have experienced in working with Sunrun.

We started the project in November and didn't get everything installed until Sept 22. They had initially told us that the panels would be installed by April-May of 2017. The communication between our projects leads and the owners of the home was very poor. When we set up our project we set it up originally off of a partial electric bill. Once we realized this we asked to increase the size and quantity of the panels on our project to get closer to our actual energy usage. The employee who was at the house then set it up as two different projects on the same property. One project being the original plan (as the original project was already moving through the process).

The second project being the additional panels required for the second plan. At some point, they realized they could not do it as two separate projects so they canceled the separate projects causing us to get an automatic email notification that our project was canceled. In order for us to find out what happened, we had to call them. The canceling of the projects caused an issue with the financing process which we as the customer had to resolve through a series of phone calls and a series of additional paperwork. We were told originally that the roof repair work would be covered in the installation.

A while into the project we were informed via email that we would have to pay an additional amount to cover the overage. I called to find out more and was assured a number of times that it was covered. Additional emails came stating we needed to pay, leading to an additional phone call where they stated that we indeed needed to pay extra and that the extra could not be financed.

When they came to change out the electric panel we were not informed that our power would be turned off for the whole day until the contractors arrived that day. The communication was buried in a few PDF files attached to an email. No one asked if we wanted to keep the old panel leading to the contractors to throw it away without our permission. After installation, the contractors left us with very limited information about the system and how it worked etc. Causing us to have to follow up with the company to get the manual and other instructions for our new $50,000 appliance. Meanwhile, there were several different people that would contact us for various things and there was no continuity of contacts. Further, there are 4 owners of this property and we asked them numerous times to copy all of us on all email communications which did not happen.

After the installation of the system was complete our pump on the pond was not working. We thought it was an issue with the pump so we called someone out to repair it. Come to find out it was not a problem with the pump, the problem was that the panel was not appropriately hooked up to the pump. The screw in the panel box was not connected to the wire. This was causing a spike in electricity usage and causing the pump to not work. In order to determine this, we had to call out a pump guy and an electrician to tell us that Sunrun screwed up the connection. The electrician was able to fix this issue but this cost us extra time and money.

Now this month we got our electric bill showing our connection to the solar. At first, it looked promising, until we got a second bill in the mail. I called up SDGE and found out that Sunrun had only hooked the solar up to our water pump electric meter and not to the house. So now not only am I still paying for my HIGH electricity bill on the main property but now I am paying for my solar panels that were supposed to help lower the cost of my electricity. Apparently, the wrong application was filed. A dual application needs to be submitted to connect the solar to both the house and the water pump meters. We did inform a few of the people that we worked with over the last year that there were 2 different electricity meters on the property.

All in all, these are some of the biggest issues we have had through this process. There are other issues that were minor but still should not have happened. I have to say that in the end we have not been impressed with Sunrun and would not recommend them to anyone else. We are very disappointed how this entire project was handled. In my opinion, this experience was not worthy of its connection with Costco. We hope you can address these issues so that other customers in the future do not have to struggle through what we did. We also hope to get our system issues addressed in a timely manner so we can be freed from this nightmare of an experience. Now they have sent us to collections for a bill they never sent and that customer service says they have no records of. Almost three years later and still living the nightmare.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out to us, Christina. It's disheartening to hear this is the experience you had from the beginning. In reviewing your account, our management team is currently working on a resolution and will be in touch shortly

Original review: June 12, 2018

Sunrun visited us at our house in Greenville. They were walking through the neighborhood trying to get different houses to sign up for solar panels. We always thought it was a good idea. At the time, we were looking to sell our previous house. And now that we have, we were gonna be here for a while, and we decided that why not go and bite the bullet. The worst that could happen is that they don’t offset the power bill at all. But so far, we’ve been pleasantly surprised.

Shawn was the representative at the time that was working with us. He walked us through what he could. He had to make sure that we didn’t mess up somewhere along the line. The reps were very friendly too and they apologized. Like at the old house, they said, “I know that there was no soliciting. But your house is in a great position for this”. It was a good pitch. They behaved very professionally. And more than that, for the most part, they were knowledgeable about any questions we had about how their system works. And they were believable also in their command of information. The final process was pretty easy too.

The home inspection went pretty quickly as well. But then there was a lot of red tape where about five months, nothing was happening. It might have been that long where nothing directly related to the manager, was happening. But they got around to putting the panels on the roof and it moved pretty quickly from that point on. Some of the suggestions were to do our clothes in the daytime and run the dishwasher in the daytime since that power is coming from the sun. It seemed that it affected the bill about the same amount that it was predicted that it was going to.

I’d tell others to definitely go ahead and work with Sunrun. It was a good experience. They are a very professional company as far as the roofing repairs. Because that company was not shoddy, they outright assured me that they weren’t gonna be leaving any trimmings and shingles or anything in the yard. I got several calls along the way. And when I didn’t receive any information, I wasn’t sure what was going on. So I sent a quick email out and I got a reply fairly quickly. And it was nice. I felt like I was doing something. I was making progress.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 7, 2018

I don't have enough space to list all issues I have had since signing up with Sunrun but I will say it has been the worst decision I have ever made as a homeowner. Since my system was installed (over 4 years now) it has not once produced the power promised. Even with my Sunrun system I am paying the electric company between $1300 and $2000 a year. Please don't be fooled by the "guarantee" they offer on your power production, it is a scam. What it does is pays you for what they don't produce however it does not come close to covering what you will pay your electric company. The purpose of solar is to keep you in lower tiers with your utility company. When solar under produces your tiers go up and you pay the higher rate. For example my Edison bill last year was a bit over $1300, Sunrun gave me about $300 back in underproduction and I get stuck paying the extra $1000 out of pocket to Edison.

Sunrun has done nothing to fix the issue and the customer service is nonexistent. The folks who answer the calls are always very polite however they can't resolve your problems. They promise a "supervisor" or the right person will call you back but nobody ever does. Oddly every time I call all of the supervisors are "in a meeting" all at the same time. Since I am in a contract there is really nothing I can do and they know it.

Next is their "warrant" they speak of. It sounds great that they will monitor your system and do any and all repairs for free. Here is the issue with that. About two years after my under producing system was installed my "inverter" went out during the summer months which means I was producing zero power. Sunrun let me know that they were out of stock and it would be months before they fixed it. I asked if that meant they were not able to do any new installs across the entire country because they had no inverters and of course they said they had inverters to do new installs but none to repair the systems of their "valued" customers. So I went many months of no solar at all but don't think for a second they will let you stop paying them even though they won't repair your system. Anyway my Edison bill was $2000 that year and what Sunrun refunded me didn't even come close to covering it.

If nothing else please do your homework and get quotes from several reputable companies before you go solar and truly understand your contract. I made mistakes as well that are completely my own fault. I am paying Sunrun more money for less power than some of my friends/relatives I was able to steer away from Sunrun to other companies. The salesman gave me a good pitch and I signed up without shopping around. That is completely my fault but all I have asked from Sunrun is to simply produce the power I am paying for and they have not lived up to their end of the deal one time since I signed on. And again, you're in a contract for a very long time.

Once they have you on the hook they have zero motivation to help you. All I can do at this point is tell my story in reviews and hang out with the poor sales representatives at Costco and warn all of their potential victims about what they are really getting with Sunrun. I don't know if there is a way for potential customers to contact me direct from here but if there is feel free to message me. I will be glad to explain all of the issues I have and what I have learned. I really don't want to see anyone get stuck in the same situation I am in.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Roger. After reviewing your account, I show that we are currently working to resolve your system concerns. An Escalations specialist will be in touch shortly.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I looked up solar services online and Sunrun came up as one of the top solar providers in our area. I am a big stickler of reading other customers’ comments and their experiences with the company. So between that, the ratings, and being part of the Better Business Bureau, I chose Sunrun. From the beginning, Fabian, my sales guy, was awesome and I loved him. He said he just needed 30-45 minutes of my time. He came in here and we asked every question in the book. We had him here for two hours and he had an answer to everything. I was impressed. My husband cannot stand salespeople and for him, anything that comes out of their mouth is a lie. But Fabian was very thorough, informative, knowledgeable, knew what he was talking about, had prior experience with another company that he was able to share and he sold us on it.

The installation team was really good. They came out and they were done in a timely fashion. They were also neat about it and professional. I had a total of five days where I was able to monitor the amount of energy that we were generating but recently, I had three days where I had no power being generated. I contacted Sunrun and asked for an explanation and they couldn’t see anything on their end. I was told that they would be monitoring that closely and in the event that this were to happen or have any issues with either the inverter of the solar panels, they would more than likely be the ones to contact me before I contact them, which was not the case. So, I’m a little disappointed on that note, however it taught me to keep a closer eye, and that’s what I’m gonna do.

Overall so far, everything’s gone the way it was presented to me, with the exception to that one incident so, I’m hoping that it doesn’t happen again. I’m still very satisfied but I would like to know why that happened. The customer service rep was very polite and professional but not very knowledgeable. He didn’t offer much information and I was the one who was digging. We had these two instances where our power went out very briefly on two different days and it was within the last two weeks so I was thinking what could have triggered it. His guess was as good as mine so when I hung up, I felt like I didn’t have any more information than when I first called.

We just got turned on in April so it really hasn’t been that long to have any serious issues but they’re still up there with me so far and I’m still very satisfied with Sunrun up to this point. I feel a lot more comfortable that I’m doing better and hopeful that I’m gonna be saving money in the long run. But we still had single-pane windows on one side of our house. We were defeating the purpose of going solar to have single-pane windows on the house so we went ahead and we did our windows too.

We are excited because I know we’re doing something good not only for earth in itself, but also our pockets which is very important. I knew Sunrun was a good company from my own research, but Fabian confirmed what I was already reading about. He was here on the installation date as well as my brother and he told Fabian that they were in the market for a house and when they buy one, they are gonna give him a call. Fabian told him to call and he’ll see what they can do for him. That was in April and here we are in June and my brother just brought a house so, I referred Fabian over to him and they’re gonna be meeting on Monday.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Since I have Costco membership they advertised their service there, made an appointment to visit my house on Saturday at 5.00 P.M. I changed my plan to visit them on weekend evening and the technician didnt show up on time, after 30 min I called and they said they will update me and after one hour I called again and got no update. I'm happy that I find out what type of customer service they have before starting service with them, of course they can't stand behind their service and it's strongly recommended to avoid them. NO SUNRUN AT ALL!!!

Sunrun response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Reza. We sincerely apologize for the lack of communication and service surrounding this matter. Please rest assure this is not how we do business and we’ll work to turn this experience around.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I’ve been looking for solar for a long time. And I’ve seen a couple of the signs of Sunrun around the neighborhood. They also have a stand there in Costco and I thought, “Let’s see what the guy has to say”. Enrolling with them was really easy. They took care of everything. The guy at the stand at Costco had said he could have somebody come over that day. And I said fine. And the guy came over and we talked and we discussed it. I called them back a couple days later and said, “Let’s go for it”, and we signed the paper. Installation was very easy too. I asked if they didn’t need me home, and they said, “I don’t think so, but if you’re there when we get there, that’s fine.” And they took care of everything. It was eventually five hours. And the district manager who lived half a mile away came by and made sure they were doing okay.

I was very happy with my experience with them. They got the permits and they did everything. I just basically sat there and waited. And they told me what to do. The DWP came and gave their final inspection on a Sunday, which I wasn’t expecting. So their question was whether I could turn the system on or not immediately. And Sunrun had people on a Sunday and they said to go ahead and turn it on. My system’s up and running and I haven’t had any questions or problems.

Original review: May 27, 2018

We have always been interested in solar. We looked around and it was on some kind of a mailer that we first heard about Sunrun. At that time, a few people in our neighborhood had used them so we went over to them as well. So far, it has been working fine. We had some difficulty during the course of the installation though. While everything went well until the installation was done, all of a sudden, we were inundated with pigeons. It must have taken us six months to finally work with Sunrun for them to install the pigeon guards.

What happened was, they were constantly coming back with other options like we should get some tennis balls and throw them up on the roof to scare the pigeons away. They also said we could spray the panels with my hose and that would scare them away, which didn't work. And the problem was that with the way our house and roof are configured, the pigeons lie underneath the panels and do their business underneath and it would roll down and it happened to cover the sidewalk to our front door. That means I have to go out and hose it off every day.

What helped convinced them is that I was a transplant patient and exposure to all of that pigeon poop was not good for me. So they finally gave in and sent somebody out to do it. Other than that, while we never keep close track of the difference, our gauge is July and August out here in Arizona where we are paying between $250 and $300 a month in electricity. Along with the $100 that we pay Sunrun every month, we're probably paying a third less than that. So, it's huge savings.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, Henry. Great story, thanks so much for sharing. Providing each customer with a first-rate experience is what we aim for! We also value honesty, and accountability and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity after the hiccup you experienced with the pigeons. So thrilled you're a member of our Sunrun family!

Original review: May 27, 2018

I was in England a couple of years ago and my friends there have solar energy services. Although they get very little sunlight, they were telling me how good it was. But I couldn’t get it in Texas at that time ‘cause of government problems so I figured as soon as we could, I'd jump on board and get it. I was satisfied with what my Sunrun contact person explained to me so I signed up with them on Black Friday weekend and it got installed on February 21st, then came live in March. The installation was great. Their installers came out and knew what they were doing. They got it done outstandingly.

My latest bill before I left out of town last month was $103 but usually, it's about $90 for this time of year before it gets hot, then after this month, it gets hot and my bill gets crazy. Now, I'm looking at my Sunrun on my phone and I see how much I’m pulling in and how much I'm using. However, I still haven't gotten my $500 yet which I thought I should be having by now. I spoke to their customer service reps who told me they were working on it. But other than that, I would recommend Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thanks for sharing your story, Clifford! We are thrilled things went smoothly and couldn't be happier to have you as our customer! Welcome to the Sunrun family!

Original review: May 26, 2018

I'm disabled so I gotta save money everywhere I work and I looked into solar energy services. I was gonna go with a different company but since I'm disabled, I can't do the tax credit thing and a guy from a different company set me up with Sunrun. Carlos, the Sunrun rep who came to my house, was cool as can be and he made the enrollment process a piece of cake. They are a great company and more people should go solar.

Sunrun response

We are always so grateful when our customers take the time to share a positive experience, Nathan. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to provide you with clean energy! We are excited to welcome you to the Sunrun family! Power Forward!

Original review: May 26, 2018

I was interested with solar energy due to it being earth-friendly and cheaper. And then, I got Sunrun's service since they were very competitive and my friends use and like them. Enrolling with Sunrun was smooth. However, we got stalled because there were some issues with the finance company they were using. Other than that, I'm very happy with the experience. And I'm very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Timothy! We really enjoyed reading your review! We are so thrilled to hear about your satisfaction with choosing to go solar with Sunrun. We are in hopes that the rest of your experience with us will exceed that. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: May 25, 2018

My wife and I have had nothing but bad experiences with Sunrun. Their customer services is more frustrating than helpful-you have to mentally prepare for a fight with multiple agents as you get passed around. They were very responsive and friendly before we signed up and once we signed up we were not a priority and seemed to be a burden when we would contact them. The sales rep has been more helpful than the actual company... He even helped us and my mother in law receive a refund check as the amount of solar power credits they promised were not even close to what they quoted so now we have a monthly payment owed to Sunrun and a monthly payment to our power company...

We love the idea of solar power but I would use another company. If was able to change companies but keep solar I would do it in a second. I wish I would have done more research prior to signing up with Sunrun- buyers beware... I recently saw a local news station helped a viewer receive a payment from Sunrun due to their power production not being anywhere near what they promised. Only 19 more freaking years and we are done with them.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out, Eric. We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your Sunrun system. Our goal is to provide clean energy but that should also include some savings. Typically, this is provided by offering a lower price per kilowatt rate than the utility company. The system is sized based on your pre-solar usage as long as you are within that usage you should not be seeing a higher bill. We would be happy to look into this matter further. A Specialist has sent you a direct message.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My brother next to me told me about Sunrun and said he had had it, and I wasn’t aware that they had made it for mobile homes. I had a very good and easy experience enrolling with them. The guy that was talking to me, Isaac, was very good. But getting the process done was hard, but it was not from their end, it was the paperwork from California. And the hardest part was the communication between what was going on. I was being approved but I have never still received a receipt that it was paid in full. They still think I owed, but I paid cash upfront. They told me that it takes time to catch up from whatever company to whatever company, but they’re still sending the invoices saying I need to pay the bill, and I’m not happy with that at all.

Apparently, they wanted their money right away. It was before the installation date that they had to have the money so they sent me the form quickly to mail it back in their little envelope, and it went FedEx. When I talked to their customer service, their service was fine. They told me it’s in the mail. They were just doing their job telling me what I wanted to hear, but nobody put me through to solve anything and it just hangs there. But I have wonderful things to say about Sunrun and I have recommended them very highly. Going solar was good so far. I thought I would get an electric bill but I don't have one. But I don't use a lot of it because I’m not there all the time. I have a home in Texas and I’m there right now.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out, Cheryl. We are so grateful to our customers and are thrilled that you have shared your experience. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is integral in doing that.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We use so much power and one of my friends works for Legacy Power, so she happened to have Sunrun. I called her and said that we were interested. She came up and sat with us and explained how Sunrun’s process works. We didn't wanna put out money, so we preferred the leasing option, especially because there was no money down.

The installation experience was good and they totally convinced me but I was confused because they didn't explain the energy audit very well. I thought I was waiting for an inspector who didn't show up, like an inspector to make sure it was to code. What they meant was that the person they had to do the audit didn't show up, so I had to reschedule with that company and they apologized. It wasn't Sunrun's fault. They also told me that it was typically $150 but because they hadn't shown up the day that they were supposed to, they were gonna waive that fee. I was under the impression that Sunrun would be paying for the energy audit and it was included in what we were doing. I didn't realize but had I been a normal person who they showed up for, I would've been out $150 that I wasn't prepared to spend.

We had just been in our house since July and our friend sat with us in November, so we didn't really know what our usage was and she had to go based on square footage, which was unfortunate because we were slated to use about 22,000-kilowatt hours this year. That's a lot and our system only produces 8,000. We're still paying a crazy high electric bill. It’s better than it was but certainly not where I wanted to be, so I'm gonna call Sunrun in January and get more panels.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Samantha! It's wonderful to hear things went so well for you, this is our goal! We appreciate you joining us in our mission to create a planet run by the sun.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We had solar panels in Colorado so when we moved to Arizona, I was interested in going solar as well. Enrolling with Sunrun was fairly easy and they answered a lot of my questions. We had some difficulties selling our home in Colorado with the solar panels because of the type of credit check they had for people. But we were glad to see they had made some improvements and changes. We don't want to deal with those problems when we go to sell and we were already involved in solar that we liked.

The sales rep we dealt with was very good. Troy was easy to talk to. We didn’t have any particular issues and if we did, we were able to talk to him and get them resolved. They were also efficient during the installation. We had referral fees and they handled that promptly. I would refer them to other people as well. This will be our second year with Sunrun and the only thing we're a little disappointed in is that our credits don’t carry over with the power company. They buy them back but they don’t give us much form. So we have to start over again in January to build up those credits to start paying for our power, and that takes a few months to kick in. But we had gotten the certain amount of panels according to what we use and the system takes care of us through the hot summer months so we’re happy with Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for contacting us, Joyce. One of our primary goals is to ensure every customer has a wonderful experience, we are thrilled to hear this is what happened for you! Thank you for helping us create a planet that is run by the sun. Power Forward!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have a large house and I didn't want to have a large PG&E bill. I went through First Light Energy and they used Sunrun. I signed up with them, everybody did their job, and I'd recommend them.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, David! We are happy to hear that you satisfied with your solar system. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: May 24, 2018

Sunrun was introduced to me by a friend of mine. The enrolment experience was good but it didn't work out right. I asked them at the beginning if both meters, one for the upstairs and the other was for the main floor and basement, could be on the same thing and they said it couldn't be. The guy I spoke with told me that I could probably get it changed over by an electrician, but they didn’t say that they were gonna fix it. But now I’m hearing that with other companies, it can be on the same.

Sunrun should have known better with the connection. My request was to make it one before they did the thing but they didn’t. It wasn't completed the way that I thought it would have been. The work was done properly but the expectation was not met. Also, the bill we're paying is more than we used to pay for the service because now we are paying them and Con Edison as well.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your contact, Nigel! Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! As well, efficient communication is key. It's disheartening to hear this was not your experience! A Specialist has sent you a direct message, please respond to it if you would like to further discuss this matter further.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I didn't plan on having solar energy, but after checking out what Sunrun offered, I thought it was a good idea and would reduce the cost of my electricity. The enrollment wasn't difficult but the entire process took a while. I had a lot going on, so at some point, they couldn’t move without me getting back to them. Nevertheless, their customer service was good and I have recommended them to several other people.

Sunrun response

Thank you for contacting us Celestine F. We are delighted to know you had a wonderful customer experience and you are satisfied with your solar system. Welcome to the Sunrun family. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I like that Sunrun is a local company. They installed the solar panels in January and the service has been perfect. Also, both interactions with the reps and the installers were fine as well.

Sunrun response

Hello Patricia M. Thank you for your feedback. We aim to be the only choice when going solar by providing a one-of-a-kind and hassle-free customer experience! That means, getting the right answers to all of your questions, quickly activating your system, and meeting your unique savings needs! We're so thrilled to officially welcome you to the Sunrun family! Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun! Power Forward!

Original review: May 23, 2018

I live in Hawaii and I went solar to save money on electric. I had a friend of mine who used Sunrun and the company is good. They have a device from their lab that monitors the panels but I’m not getting as good a performance as I used to two years ago. You could pay $500 a month down to $150 right now but I should be getting a bit better. The first couple of years, I wasn't paying more than $25 to $55 a month. Other than that, there’s been a difference in the performance of the panels so they need somebody to come out and look at ‘em.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Charles F. Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations! This is not the Sunrun norm and we would like to further investigate this matter. Please private message us with your contact information, and a specialist will be in touch with you.

Original review: May 22, 2018

We're very happy now that our Sunrun system is up and running. We were very unhappy for the first eight months or so because getting the automatic payment taken care of took us forever. There was some sorrt problem between the bank and Sunrun and the automatic payments just weren't going through. We spent an inordinate amount of time trying to fix it and then getting the fees reversed. But now everything seems to be working fine, and the system is working great. We were also happy with the folks that came in to install the system. They were fast, efficient and were very patient with working around farm animals.

Sunrun response

Thanks for making our day, Jim G.! We aim to service the system when needed in a timely manner. When going solar it's important you experience a one-of-a-kind and hassle-free service! That means, getting you taken care of when the system fails, quickly looking at your system, and meeting your needs! We're so thrilled to have you in the Sunrun family! Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun! Power Forward!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I got tired of paying high PG&E bills and wanted to go solar. When I first installed my system years ago, REC was the installer and they picked Sunrun, the agent in charge of the solar system. I did a full pay lease on it so Sunrun owned the equipment. Enrolling with Sunrun was an easy process. My overall experience was excellent. I’m satisfied.

Sunrun response

This is wonderful to hear, Rocky H.! Providing the best customer experience is our aim, and it all starts by doing the simple things. So glad to have you as a customer. Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun! Power Forward!

Original review: May 22, 2018

I wanted to save money and help with everything else environmental so I set an appointment with Sunrun and they came to my home. They told me about the services and everything seemed fine. Their rep was really nice at the beginning but they should be a little more open to customers that certain things could happen in case there's a lot of snow.

A couple of things happened around winter which I wasn’t told about. There was a lot of snow and the noise we heard was really bad. I even felt four times within the same day like the panels were coming down. Then the awning that I had in the back patio has been damaged pretty bad. It was really scary and I wasn't happy at all. Last January, their reps arrived and said they were gonna fix the awning. But it’s been more than two months and I haven’t heard much about it. Other than that, the solar panels have been working very well. The bill’s pretty much the same but come summertime, I’m supposed to start saving money every day or two.

Sunrun response

That's what we love to hear.! We aim to provide the best customer experience and are constantly working to make sure our product fits our customer needs. So thrilled you shared your experience. Thank you for taking the time to rate us.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I am in Naples, Italy right now and the family of our daughter's friend stays in the house as we were helping them out with trying to save up to get their own house. The price of electricity in California is up and they said their bills are going up. My son had had a good experience with Sunrun so I decided to look into solar energy. The entire process took around three months which was a reasonable amount of time. I was there when the reps came and they kept us up to date. We have the system installed for a few months now and my the family staying at our house seems to be happy with Sunrun. We're coming back in a couple of years, so it would be less cheaper electric bill as well. I would recommend Sunrun to a friend 'cause they did everything they've said.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for your review, John. We are so pleased to hear that you have had a positive experience so far. Solar is certainly a new industry and we continue to grow. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with clean energy. Welcome to the Sunrun family.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I got interested in solar energy because I had a very high electric bill every month and I figured if I could cut that down, that would be great. It's also kind of a "save the planet" type of thing and not putting as much carbon into the atmosphere. The enrollment process went very well but I didn’t deal with Sunrun at first. SolarMax did the installation and Sunrun has taken over on the rest of the thing. Going solar has been great and it’s one of those things that I feel I did the right thing.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Patrick! We really enjoyed reading your review! We are so thrilled to hear about your satisfaction with choosing to go solar with Sunrun. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun! Power Forward!

Original review: May 21, 2018

We had a Peaksaver system on our old house and I really liked that. And then, we had a perfect layout for a full system in our new house. Once you lease the solar panels, it’s kind of awash, so you’re not saving a whole ton of money. But if you’re gonna be paying it anyway, it might as well be making your own energy and having it from an environmentally friendly, renewable energy source. So, the practical plus the financial benefits made us decide on it.

Everybody in Sunrun was super helpful and friendly. Anytime I had a question, they answered right away. They’d give me a call and with each step, they would say that the application has been approved and what the next step is. So, they were always on top and always communicated wonderfully. I am completely satisfied with my decision to go solar and it's like we’re creating our own power. There’s a sense of satisfaction, doing something good for the planet, and just being independent in that way.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your communication Kristi! Our aim is to provide a customer experience that meets your expectations!

Sunrun expert review by Zachary Shahan

In business for over 10 years, SunRun services more than 100,000 customers in 22 states. The company specializes in customized solar energy systems and offers a lifetime warranty on its products.

• Multiple financing options: SunRun lets you pay for your solar energy system in many ways. If you want to lease the system, you can pay SunRun a set amount per month or pay them a higher up-front fee and avoid the monthly payment. If you want to own the system, you can pay off the system in full or finance it with a loan.

• Lifetime warranty: SunRun guarantees the performance of its product throughout the product’s lifetime. This warranty promises free repairs on your solar energy system. SunRun’s systems also include a roof warranty in case of leaks or holes.

• mySunRun app: With SunRun’s mobile app, mySunRun, you can track your system’s production, share your system’s stats via social media and change your billing preferences. The app also helps you submit customer support issues and refer friends to SunRun in exchange for Visa gift cards.

• LG Chem battery: With SunRun, you can purchase an LG Chem battery in addition to your solar energy system. This battery can store the excess energy that your system produces, making it available to you in the event of an outage.

• States available: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, HI, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT, WY

• Best for: homeowners who want a customized solar energy system.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan

Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sunrun Company Information