Call toll free
3.86/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years or more.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT and WI

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

872 Sunrun Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My daughter came over and we found the Sunrun brochure. And then, we started the process of going through signing up. I worked with everybody that was in the name of Sunrun. Their reps came out and took some pictures of some trees that we had planted out here. Sunrun has wonderful personnel and we’re happy with them. We love Sunrun. However, one of the agencies thinks that because of my tall trees, I'm impeding the amount of energy that is going on their light ray and so, I owe them more money because of that fact.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have several friends who have the solar energy system. A gentleman from Sunrun stopped by my front door and I believed what he was offering. I thought about the savings and I enrolled with them. The experience was very easy and the whole process took about 2 months from when they first reached out to me until the panels were up and running. There were no complications during the installation. Sunrun has reduced my utility cost and I'm very happy with the whole package. I'm very satisfied in my decision of going solar with Sunrun.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I was interested in saving money and I would like something that would cut my bill way down as well as help clear the air. Some guys who were representing Sunrun from Duke Energy came by my house. When I enrolled with Sunrun, all the people I dealt with were as nice as they could be. They answered all my questions right up front. They were professional and I was pleased with them. I have also called their customer service reps a couple of times. I did not go for the draft right off because I wanted to see a couple of bills and then, I went paperless. I am ecstatic about going solar. I got my bill of $12 today and I could not ask any better. I am pleased with it. I feel secure about my bills since I went solar with Sunrun and I know it won't over a certain amount, which is a burden off a person that is on a fixed income. I have advised several of my friends to go with it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have an electric car and I was told that if I have an e-car, Sunrun will save me some energy, I'll use lesser energy, so it sounded like a good plan. Sunrun's sales rep was very responsive. He kept in touch in the email and he answered every question and concerns that I had. It took me one-half month to decide but he was very good. I decided to go through with Sunrun to make the payment and the other process. The second person I dealt with coordinated with the government. I made a reservation but the government people cannot find my home so I had to reschedule after two times of making an appointment. However, something else happened. The rep who coordinated called me and said he felt very sorry that I had to go through the process twice. He said he will give me $300 credit since it has caused me some troubles. The third time, they finally succeeded in installing the system.

After some time, I double-checked and I didn’t receive the promise that their rep said. I emailed back and the coordinator I talked to said he didn’t know about it. The person who made the promise didn’t specify it. I felt bad but I became fine. After that, my Sunrun started. It took some time to start my system since it needed some government stuff. But currently, it's making some electricity. If somebody would contact me about the solar system, I would refer Sunrun to them. The installation and the government approval process was painful and the guy who made a promise didn’t pay. Nonetheless, Sunrun is a good company.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

It was really convenient to get enrolled with Sunrun. My roof needed to be done over and they worked to accommodate me. They helped me get a new roof in and did the panels. It was not a lengthy process. It was rather good and the customer service was on point. It was very good because they kept me abreast of each step of the way. They called to check if each step was completed within the time that they said it was gonna be completed. And even after it was completed, they still called and checked to see if I was fully satisfied with the service. So I really like their customer service. They've connected everything and I pay my bill each month. And it’s been good. It’s been saving. I’ve even been trying to get all of my friends in with Sunrun. But some of them don’t wanna lease the panels. They wanna own the panels so that’s the issue right there. I've told them the service is worth it though.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Anna! We are so pleased to hear that we were able find the best solar solution for you and that the process was a smooth one! We hope to be with you every step of the way, and we are thrilled that this was true in your case. Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I wanted to try and save money on my electric bill, so I started looking into solar energy services. I saw Sunrun at a Home Depot store and because of their availability there, and being able talk to someone in the store without being obligated, I decided to enroll with Sunrun. Signing up with them was easy but it took a year and a half before we actually got serviced. There were a lot of factors why. First, we waited for the equipment to come in from Korea. Next, it went through customs. Then, we waited for the permit and the weather several times.

So far, we noticed that we didn't get a big enough system and we're only getting about 75% of the power we thought we were gonna get. So, we're still paying quite a bit for electricity. But we're stuck with Sunrun. I have a friend who has Sunrun too and they said that after one year, they may be able to re-evaluate it and add additional equipment. However, I don't know if that is what's specified in our contract. It would also be nice if Sunrun's website contained more information. It only shows us what we've produced the next day after and it could only give a daily or monthly or yearly production. It doesn't show anything about what we're consuming or what's being sent to the grid or what we should be getting credit for.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Tim, a salesperson from Sunrun, came to my house, and we talked about it. I learned that I could save money on my electric bill, so that was a big plus for me. Tim did everything that was needed to be done and then the guys that came out, looked everything over. The installers, before and afterward, were wonderful. They were so helpful, friendly and were just great people. They answered all of my questions and they went over and above on installing so everything looked very neat. There wasn’t anything on the outside of the house. They did everything through the attic, and it was just great. I referred my son and daughter-in-law, and they got hooked up. I’m still waiting for my $350 Visa card though that they offered for my referrals. I’ve been talking to a lot of people and trying to get them to switch over Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Judi! We are so pleased to hear that the whole process of going solar was made to be nice and easy for you! Keep up the good work on spreading the savings to your friends and family! Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I wanted to save on my electricity and looked into solar energy services. Sunrun's salesman seemed reputable. His approach and the conversation we had made me decide to go with Sunrun. It was easy enrolling with them. Plus, the installers that came out were very pleasant and professional. So far, I’m satisfied with going solar with Sunrun.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My sister encouraged me to go to Sunrun. We considered going solar, and then one company said that our house wasn’t a good candidate. But then Sunrun said that it was, and then we pursued it. Tony from Sunrun explained everything about the solar panels, and we went with it. They walked me through step-by-step. They made us aware of everything. The installation people were very cautious and very neat so I was very happy with them. I would refer Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thanks for the review, Joyce! Shoutout to your sister for spreading the savings of solar to you! We are so thrilled that you chose Sunrun as your solar service provider. We love hearing that our reps were with you every step of the way and that our install crew treated your home as though it was their own. Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I had been looking at energy services for a couple years and I just retired and felt it was a good time to do it. I was looking for about 70% electricity covered by it. I figured Sunrun is backed by Costco and Costco has usually done pretty good about covering their products and such, so I went with Sunrun. The enrollment went pretty smooth and the system produced more energy than I originally thought it would. So I was pretty happy. The problem I had was we had some pretty heavy rains and it had one of their connectors shorted out. I called on a Saturday and they couldn't make it out until Thursday. I hoped for a little sooner but they fixed it, put it down, and it’s up and running again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Due to the cost of electricity for air conditioning here in Arizona, we looked into solar energy services and I am very satisfied with my decision to go solar. I have a friend with a two-story house with no solar and his bill seem to be $600 upwards. A lot of people in the community was buying the system but we rented ours. We got it through American Solar and Sunrun was the one we had a contract with. I did a 20-year lease and so, they take care of any problems I have.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Tom! We are so pleased to hear that solar has been working out so well for you! We love hearing from our customers that have been able to #savewiththesun! Congrats on your system, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

It's very expensive to run air conditioning, so my electrical bill was really high. I also wanted to get some things. Then, I started looking into how to save energy, save expenses, and be more healthy with the earth. I came up with solar panels and I decided to go with Sunrun. The process of enrolling with them was lengthy and I thought it was gonna be faster. I also had problems with the billing. Once the system was in place, my bill came out really high and I had problems with PG&E, which is the electrical company.

Then, it got fixed. But it was an odyssey and it would've been better if there was a timeline of when things were gonna happen and they made it clearer how things were gonna work. That way, the customer will not be guessing when it's gonna start, how long it will take, how many parties are involved, and who they need to talk to. Other than that, Sunrun's customer service reps were very friendly and they tried to help me with the questions that I had. But I think they were not aware of solutions, so it took quite a while. Still, I'm very satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was promised a cost not to exceed the cost per month on solar energy once I installed it based on the number of panels that they would do against the previous year's usage. I have never had it near that since it was installed. My experience with submitting with Sunrun was fine but it wasn't till after I agreed to do it and it was installed that I found the inequity that occurred with what was going on by being lied to by the salesman and not putting in enough panels to handle the load we were promised.

We were supposed to get a 10% oversize just for a safety factor which is the maximum allowable I was told, and we didn't get it. They would never do anything about it. I found that APS, our provider, is not crediting the credits to the right times of the day. They're putting most of it on optic instead of ontic to offset the high rate. That's not happening and nobody seems to wanna give me an answer to that. It's been a total disaster and I'm still in the dark as to what is going on. I asked when I am supposed to be running my high-usage items like the washer and dryer, pool filter and stuff like that. I also asked at what hour should I be running it to get the best advantage of the solar and I got two different stories. One says run it during peak time and one says run it during optic. I still don't have an answer to that. They wanna sell you the solar but nobody seems to know how it operates.

They rectified some of the things and gave me a 10% reduction in my bill to offset the lack of the 10% increase in panels that they were supposed to give me. I was told by the salesman that they could waive the automatic withdraw which supposedly, if you pay online or with a check, it would cost you $15 a month more. I told them I wouldn't sign the contract unless they got it waived and he promised to get it waived. It took months to get it waived but they finally did that.

Sunny Energy, the contractor, did a good job installation-wise and everything. They did a better job than what I've seem Sunrun do as far as installations go. None of the people from Sunrun seemed to have answers when you call and ask them questions. I've sent my APS bills to them, everything else, and they still beat around the bush and can't give you answers. I've had to file a complaint against them which was the only way I was able to get resolution with some of my problems. I went into solar since I’m retired and it was a lease program so I didn’t have to pay for it. Solar is still in its infancy and there is no return on investment that they’re putting on people. The sales department need to give people more information and knowledge about how it operates. If they give them the truth, they won't sell as many.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the feedback, John. We certainly understand your concerns regarding system production and how that relates to your utility. We always recommend running your dishwasher or doing laundry during your utility's off peak periods of time, regardless of whether or not you have solar. We'd be more than happy to address any additional concerns that you have personally. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We had Sunrun come out and we listened to what they had to say. It was the only company we interviewed about solar, which was a mistake. We should have contacted more to get more feedback. We have not had a really good experience with the whole thing. We signed up in May, but it was not installed until August or September. It took about three to four months to even get the system on our roof and getting anyone to let us know what was going on was a challenge. We were in constant contact with them, but the rep couldn't give us any real good answers other than, “It takes time.” Sunrun contracted with somebody else to put up the system eventually. We've had several emails from them saying our system was offline and they would send somebody out to fix it. They had somebody come out the last time and put another inverter on.

We are not even sure if the system is totally working at this point and it has cost more than we ever thought it would. They told us our electric bill from the electric company would only be $20-$30, and it has been as high as $60-$80. Plus, we are paying for the lease on the equipment, so it has not been a good experience. If I had known more, I probably would not have signed up for it. The customer service reps were not helpful. If I send an email, it might be two to three weeks before I even get a response. They acknowledge a lot of the emails I send in like a robot, but it's unacceptable to take that long to follow up. It's not good customer service. The problem now is the system is on the roof and I have no choice but to stay with Sunrun and endure all this craziness.

I would tell my friends to get more than one person's feedback on different systems. My experience with Sunrun has not been good since the beginning. The guy that came out to sell it to us looked up a picture of our house and I said that it was not our house. He said that we would have to use it and when the installers went to do it, they said that was not our house and that they could not put it on. They had to reconfigure. I told them that we tried to tell that to the sales guy but he kept telling us that we were gonna save money. I'm supposed to have solar on my roof, but I'm still spending more money than I did when I had just straight electric. I didn't gain anything.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the feedback, Joan. We certainly hear your concerns regarding savings and your system performance. We're sorry to hear about what initial troubles you had with your sales rep, that is definitely not the customer service we aim to provide. We'd be more than happy to discuss your concerns directly. We want to be able to reach a resolution together. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I think Arizona should be a solar state and enrolled with Sunrun. It was super easy. Everything was great with my interactions with their reps. Plus, the installation experience was wonderful. Since then, I've referred three other people and they've already got theirs up. It took six weeks to get the solar panels up and running though, which was a while. Sunrun is a good company.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We had a solar energy service at our last house and the house before that. So, we were in the market for it in our current home. When we enrolled with Sunrun, it was easy. We were supposed to be up and running in July but we ended up with having a bad battery, then we had something else that was bad in the main control unit. We didn't get up and running until by the end of October, which was kind of interesting because I had to pay the bill since supposedly it was released. It was disheartening. But being in Hawaii, it's really hard to get parts and what-not, so there's a time lapse, which we understand. Also, my interaction with Sunrun's customer service rep was good

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Sunrun was doing the work in a couple of places in the neighborhood and a next door neighbor had them installed. They were offering an incentive and I listened to the sales guy's spiel. I was impressed by what it was, what it could save, and how it would work, but the guy who sold it to me was a butthead. He made a deal with me then he reneged on the deal like it was never mentioned or we never made it. It just pissed me off that he would do that. He agreed to it and then he turned around and said, "No, I never said, no." Then he left or went on leave for some personal reason and his boss finally took over.

I kept complaining and they finally gave me what it was they were supposed to give me. Then the sales guy called me back later for a reference and I told him that that I won't give a reference for him. While the sales sucked, the install was perfect and incredible. The guys who came out and set it up were great. They did the install in one day and it was really done well. Now, I don't have much of any electric bill. So except for the sales guy, my experience with Sunrun was great.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Gary! While your experience with our sales team is did not go the way we hoped for, we are happy that the rest of the Sunrun family could get you taken care of and we were able to accommodate the original offer. We love to hear that you are now seeing the benefits of going solar. Congrats on making the decision to go green, and thank you so much for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I was looking to cut my electrical bills because I have a multi-family home. All the utilities are paid by me. I have some family members that have solar panels and they raved about solar energy and how much it saved them, so I decided to look into it. I had a few companies come in, but I wasn’t feeling the vibe of the person that came to talk to me about it. I felt like I was being pushed into going with that company.

My panels were put in in April of 2018, however, I haven’t really seen any decrease in my bills outside the summer months when it’s extremely sunny. Sunrun has sent somebody around a few times since I had it. I’ve had somebody come three times to check the system because they feel that it’s not working adequately, but when they checked it, they said that everything is running fine. They had another supervisor come out and look at the trees. He said that they should’ve taken down some of these trees and that they should’ve informed me to take down the branches that hang over my property in the back. They were supposed to get back to me, but I haven’t heard a word from them since.

I haven’t been with Sunrun for a year and I’m not very happy with it because I got solar panels to cut down on my electric bill, but my electric bill is still showing over a hundred. My last month’s bill was $131, so I don’t see Sunrun is doing me any good to have the solar panels. They should’ve not offered me because when I first bought the house in 2015, I tried to get solar, but they told me I wasn’t qualified. Some of the trees in the property behind me were taken down, but there is still not enough sunlight coming through. I don’t think they should’ve ever put the panels in and I felt I got duped.

Sunrun's customer service reps are very polite and accommodating on the phone. They’ve reached out to me a few times to see if I would be home or I would be available for someone to come and look at the system and get the new access to the box inside. The supervisor that came out said that they needed to take more tree branches down, but it is a very costly project and I don’t have the extra money. That was something that should’ve been told to me upfront before I made the decision. There was an abandoned house sitting behind us and they had been out earlier and they surveyed me and said that I had so many trees across the backyard. The house had been cleared out and redone and all the trees had been removed. They said that the space was more open then, so they came back out and they convinced me that I had enough clearance for sunlight to come true where solar panels would be beneficial for me to get.

They also sent the roof people to pre-set the roof for the panels and they were a little rude and very sloppy. After they finished, they never even said they were leaving. We just happened to look and they were gone. They also didn’t clean up, so I called the company and let them know. I didn’t appreciate them leaving their mess in my driveway. My car was in the driveway and I got nails and stuff. But Sunrun was accommodating and they gave me a $200 gift check for my inconvenience because my sons and I went out and cleaned up the mess that they left behind. I was not happy with what they did. I just got my electric bill and I was in the process of calling and having the discussion on it because this is really not saving for me. I’m still paying over $250 a month and we are paying the solar bill and my electricity provider, so I don’t see any savings there.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Cynthia. We are deeply disheartened that solar has not panned out for you the way that you were hoping. It sounds like those trees definitely may be causing some issues for us. We hear your savings concerns, it's harder to see the benefits of solar in those winter months, it's the unfortunate seasonality of solar. We would be more than happy to address your concerns further, a specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Wanting to decrease cost, I looked into solar energy services. Sunrun came through Costco and enrolling with Sunrun was excellent. I researched other businesses and it was hard to beat Costco's backups. From the time of ordering, they took about a month to get the solar panels up and running. The installation was first class right off the bat. They made modifications and changed engineering drawings when they found that it was going to be difficult to place the original panels on my roof owing to a big tree that I have. So, they made corrections mid-course. Then I had one panel that had an inverter which was not working properly. They came right out and replaced it.

Everybody with Sunrun was exceptionally good from the initial sales contact person to the follow-up people, to the engineering people, to the people that actually put the panels on the roof, and the technical people. Everybody showed up in a clean truck with a uniform and an ID and they introduced themselves. They also called before they arrive. They constantly checked back with me to make sure everything was going well. Everybody knew their business, knew their stuff, and was highly trained. I'm very much satisfied in my decision of going solar and I have an excellent experience with Sunrun.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I wanted to save cost. XOOM Electric recommended Sunrun and enrolling with them was simple. I received a lower electric bill but I pay $100 cost. I'm having marginal savings but as prices increase I'm sure I will save more. I'm satisfied with my decision to go solar.

Sunrun response

Thanks for the review, David. We are so pleased to hear of your satisfaction in going solar. We aim to provide the best service that we can. Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

When we purchased the house, we had to transfer ownership from the previous owner to myself. The process was easy and it just needs some documents. I have been using Sunrun for a year now. We needed additional panels because the previous owner of our house was just by herself, and we’re a family of six so we use more than we have. When our inverter stopped working, we were still under contract. So I had to call it in and have it replaced which took about a month.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Fredy! We are so ecstatic to hear that things have been smooth since taking over the agreement. Sorry to hear that your inverter stopped working but are happy that we were able to get you a replacement. Congrats on being green and going solar, and thanks so much for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Sunrun is a pretty big name but a coworker who used the program through Costco first talked to me about it. I also had a Costco membership then I started doing the research and comparing the cost. The electrical rates are going up as well, so that got me looking at getting solar energy services more intently. I liked the cashback benefit from Costco if I went with Sunrun and when I compared some other providers, there were additional benefits in using the Costco program. So, I decided to go with Sunrun.

Their overall process was a little bit disappointing as far as initially getting the quote and finally getting the installation completed so you can turn on the system. They have a weird setup where you get passed off several times to a half a dozen different people as you move through the process. There was a lot of red tape and different hoops you have to jump through as well as a lot of moving parts that had to be coordinated. But things happened as expected and the process was relatively painless. When I had concerns, the customer service I received from their reps was above par and they usually resolved my issues within a phone call or two. All individuals were specialized in their area of responsibility, so they knew what they were talking about. All in all, I'm quite satisfied with my decision to go solar and I have no regrets.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Timothy! We are thrilled to hear of your satisfaction in going solar with Sunrun. We understand your frustration with the process, there are so many moving parts that go into solar and it really does take a village to make things run smoothly. But we're happy we were able to overcome the hiccups and that our customer care team has been so helpful. Congrats on going solar, and thanks so much for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

My monthly cost for my lease is $190 per month. I was told I’d have no extra bills from my utility company except the 2.54 delivery fee. In fact, our salesman NICK, told us we’d likely overproduce and have a check coming to us at the end of the year. This was ALL LIES! We were conned and mislead. The last four months I’ve had bills from my utility company because my system is not producing like NICK said it would. Those bills were, $80, $85, $110, and the latest was $19. NOBODY gets back to us. The last person that actually talked to us basically said our system is operating fine and we have no recourse. Also, the contract is not at all protecting the customer. Their guarantee is a lie. Just google SUNRUN to see all the lawsuits and class action suits! I’m beyond disgusted!

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback Christine. We apologize for any misinformation that was given to you at point of sale. We certainly understand your production concerns and would be more than happy to further research this for you. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I enrolled with Sunrun and my experience is good. I hope they could send me the billing every month so I can send the money by mailing which is much better for me. They send me the email one time then I make a copy and I send them. Last month, my electric bill was good but it came almost the regular this month so I feel that it’s not different now. Still, the decision of going solar is good for me.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Gurdeep! We are so happy that solar has been a good decision for you! We can definitely ensure that you get a paper statement in the mail, just reach out to our Customer Care department at 855-478-6786! Congrats on your system, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I was in my backyard one day and the guy from Sunrun, Zack, came up to my house. He was out in the area and I had looked into solar a year before but the company that I was trying to work with never came through, so I was already interested. I’m not a tree hugger but I hate paying big power companies money. With my bills going up and the sun’s there pretty much everyday, why not use it. So, Zack came at the right time that day and I signed up with them.

They came for the installation a week early and they called me two days before the date that they were going to come out to put the panels on the house. So, that was great with me. Their rep said that they had an opening which was on a Friday morning and he wanted to know if they could come that Friday. I told him they could and they did. They were here on time and they were here all day. When they were done, there was no mess left and they didn’t damage anything. It was a really good experience.

Right now, I’m still waiting on things to level out a little bit and I know it takes a little time for the power company bill to go down, but we’re working on it. I have seen a drop from what I was paying so far, but I’m still waiting to see it even out where the power company’s paying me. I’ve heard a lot about solar and with everything from the guy that came out and signed me up to the people that put it in, I didn’t feel like I’ve been misled in any way bu Sunrun. I was also very pleased with the installation and I’m glad I did it. Other than that, Sunrun stayed in touch with me throughout the process. There were calls as much there were emails and everything took place as they said it would. It was cut and dry and if anybody wants to ask me questions, I’d be glad to talk to anybody.

Sunrun response

Thank you for sharing your story, Buddy! We are delighted to hear of what a positive experience you have had in going solar. It sounds like everyone stayed in good communication with you and we were able to get the project complete in a timely manner. Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My installation and system worked fine for 14 months. It has now stopped producing electric for almost a month without response or repair. I asked why I had not been informed that the system was not working, and they said that you have to go to the website regularly to see if you are producing electric. If you leased equipment from them, they will inform you, otherwise you don't know the system is malfunctioning until you receive your electric bill. Another week, called again and their technician has not "accepted" the work order yet. I am not happy with paying so much money for a system that does not work for a significant time.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the feedback, Larry. We certainly understand your frustrations with the delay you have had in getting service. This is definitely not the Sunrun norm and we'd be more than happy to look into this for you to see what can be done to get someone out to your home sooner. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We planned on getting solar energy services for quite a while and we had to make sure we could pay cash for it. We liked Sunrun's cost and the extra backup through Costco, so we went with them. When we enrolled, everything seemed to be fine and the process was pretty easy. Their installation team did a pretty good job as well and they were exceptionally fast. I paid for them on Friday and they installed it on Monday. So far, we're happy about our decision to go solar. It emptied my bank account but we haven't had it long enough to know and see any real changes.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, John! We are so happy to hear that enrollment went smoothly for you and that installation was quick. Solar can definitely be a costly option, but we have no doubt that you'll be reaping the benefits in no time! Congrats on making the decision to go solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My light bill was too high so I started looking into solar energy services. My daughter’s name is Zanet and the Sunrun lady that I talked to that called me back was named Zaneta. It was really Zanet but the courthouse put an “A” at the end. Her mother named her that because it meant God’s precious gift. That was also why I named that to my daughter. Nobody’s gonna name their kid even close to Zanet. And because of that, I went with Sunrun.

Their reps were very nice through the whole process. The only problem I had was I didn’t know when to turn the system on but the people that they sent out to put the panels on walked me all the way through it. They also cleaned up after themselves. You couldn’t even tell that they were there. I was really pleased with them. Zaneta came out the day that we turned the system on to see how it works and I never had any problem at all. Everybody that they sent out was really nice and everybody that I talked to has been really helpful and informative. We’re saving about $150 a month now. If I had to, I would do it again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I had solar panels installed on my home by Paramount Solar in 2012. I felt with the rising costs of electricity in California and the sun is free so why not. I opted for a 25-year lease with the costs rising 3% per year, when I was told PG&E costs would rise 6% per year. What I was not told about was the PG&E true up bill. To my surprise PG&E sent me a hefty bill after our first year of use. I was not only irritated but now Paramount was not a defunct company and no longer in the Solar industry. So went the years of not knowing who my solar company was nor was I aware of the performance of my panels.

Fast forward to 2018, I tried to sell my home. Most if not all buyers are not interested in taking over a lease. My realtor tried to market the panels as best she could however no interested buyers. The only offer we did receive rescinded as soon as he began inquiring about the lease. Finally after several weeks on the market my spouse and I made the decision to purchase the panels outright. This is where the real issues begin and the costs associated with purchasing the panels are ridiculous. I wish I never signed a lease, worse decision I ever made. Cost savings analysis was performed and I only saved $200 a year, I could of saved myself the frustration.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the feedback, Jason. We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your solar system. We have a dedicated department that helps our customers that are selling their homes, but you can't sell everyone on solar. We'd be more than happy to discuss your concerns further, a specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

After talking about Sunrun to the people that were at Home Depot and talking to some of our friends, we decided to sign up for solar services. Enrolling with Sunrun was a very comfortable process. I work a lot and I appreciated that they guided me through it and they were there to do the check list. It was also time consuming to sign off from the electric company, HELCO, but Sunrun took care of it. Their customer service was great and there were no hiccups at all. I recommended them to other people.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Yonette! We are so pleased to hear that the enrollment process was quick and easy for you! We aim to be with you every step of the way and it sounds like your representative ensured this. Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Sunrun expert review by Zachary Shahan

In business for over 10 years, SunRun services more than 100,000 customers in 22 states. The company specializes in customized solar energy systems and offers a lifetime warranty on its products.

• Multiple financing options: SunRun lets you pay for your solar energy system in many ways. If you want to lease the system, you can pay SunRun a set amount per month or pay them a higher up-front fee and avoid the monthly payment. If you want to own the system, you can pay off the system in full or finance it with a loan.

• Lifetime warranty: SunRun guarantees the performance of its product throughout the product’s lifetime. This warranty promises free repairs on your solar energy system. SunRun’s systems also include a roof warranty in case of leaks or holes.

• mySunRun app: With SunRun’s mobile app, mySunRun, you can track your system’s production, share your system’s stats via social media and change your billing preferences. The app also helps you submit customer support issues and refer friends to SunRun in exchange for Visa gift cards.

• LG Chem battery: With SunRun, you can purchase an LG Chem battery in addition to your solar energy system. This battery can store the excess energy that your system produces, making it available to you in the event of an outage.

• States available: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, HI, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT, WY

• Best for: homeowners who want a customized solar energy system.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sunrun Company Information