Sunrun

Compare Solar Energy Companies

Research top Solar Energy Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I won't go into the fact that the output we were to receive once installed has never come close to their promise. However, we discovered a leak in our roof well over a year ago and they sent someone out from Helio Power who did the initial installation. He though not a roofer said he fixed it. Being as we don't have much rain here in the desert we didn't know whether the leak was repaired or not but did find it wasn't 2 months ago when we had another substantial rain. Again Helio Power was sent out by Sunrun with them taking pictures and all that. I've had to push for them to get a roofer out here who said yes it was the stanchion from the panel causing the leak. He then noted that it was installed wrong and so were all of the stanchions on the flat part of our roof. He said he'd tell Helio Power which I assume he did but we never heard back.

After bitching at both Sunrun and Helio Power they showed up to again only to look at it, roofer and a rep from Helio Power. They then said they would put me on a schedule to fix all the stanchions. Never heard from them and then again it rained and leaked. Put in another call to Helio Power with no result. Called Sunrun again yesterday and Melissa was very apologetic and was going to call whoever schedules and they'd get back to me immediately or if not she would. Well again I never heard back being I'm most likely not even scheduled. So, not only does Sunrun have poor installation they also along with Helio Power have extremely poor support.

I purchased a home with Sunrun solar panels in July 2016. I called them the month we moved in to ensure they had our information for our first bill. They told me we had a "credit". I never received a statement, welcome letter or email. In August I called again as I wanted to make sure we did not fall behind on our bill. The representative told me there must have been some "glitch" in the system and they would call me back when they discovered what the problem was. I NEVER received a call or an email.

In September, I called again, still no answers or bill. On October 21, 2016, we received our FIRST statement for 3 months, $691 was due on 11/1/2016. So not only was I chasing the company down for a bill, but once I did receive a bill it was for 3 months and it was due in a week? I called customer service once again and told them how upset I was. Of course they apologized but they made no attempts to help me with a payment plan or offer a credit for the inconvenience. This was yet another call with zero answers and a dissatisfied feeling. At this time, the customer representative did inform me that the panels were not projecting efficient energy and that they could send someone out to look at the panels.

Two days later, I received an email stating that my service request did not qualify, even though these are LEASED panels and that they could give me a quote to come out and service my panels. Of course I was upset and called once again. First I called the number on the email from Jacob **. I left two voice messages and never received a callback. So then I chased after customer care again, and called the number on the website, I spoke with Martin in customer care. He referred me to a manager on 10/24/16 and stated I would receive a call or email. It is 11/16/16 and I have not received a phone call or an email from anyone.

Last week, I was very upset, losing sleep and so baffled that a company would treat a new customer so poorly.

I called and spoke with Jake in the "escalations" office. This definitely put me over the edge, which is ironic being that he is suppose to be some type of "leader" in the "escalations" office. He did the complete opposite. He barely apologized, he had a cocky attitude and could care less if I was a happy customer or not. In addition, I have sent three emails to customer service via the Sunrun website, I have not received a response, it has been over 3 weeks since my last email. I have worked customer service in many areas and I am currently an administrator in education. I have never been treated so poorly nor would I ever imagine leaving an issue unmet or a customer unsatisfied.

At this time, I am hoping to find a way out of this lease. Unfortunately, when buying the home we had to sign to take over the lease. I have lost sleep and time because of this company's lack of customer service, in addition they do not follow through. Please RUN away from Sunrun and share this with others. I have already shared via social media, with co-workers and friends who are asking how I feel about solar panels. I have friends purchasing homes now or who have homes and are interested in solar panels. I told them to ask others and do further research and to stay away from Sunrun. Costco truly needs to know about unhappy customers and get that booth out of Costco. Costco would never treat customers this way, so they should not offer business to such a distasteful company.

It was very fast and easy and the customer service agent guy told bunch of jokes to make me laugh and was completely professional and got the job done. The financing was not bad. It was not break the bank expensive and the the solar energy will save us more money long term I thought about. I am extremely happy with the whole experience. It was quick to install and saved me money from solar energy. I absolutely loved it. It was fast and easy and the guy installing it was friendly and told jokes and was professional and got the job done in decent amount of time.

The sales (Jimmy **) came to house and scheduled assessment. From assessment to installation is 1 year and half. We were paying roughly 80 a month and now we are paying more than double. The sale was misleading by telling us we can cancel any time and it should be able to covers our usage. What utility company showing the credit is one tenth of what Sunrun meter says. It is not working. When we called customer services, they say they will call us back. It has been two months, we followed up multiple times, and no one call us back. We now talk a customer specialist (Jake **) who is totally useless, keep pulling "This is the contract and there is no higher manager to discuss with us".

I researched for several months on solar for my home. In the end I went with Sunrun solar. The sales team was great. The install team was topnotch. Even the city electrical Inspector said, "The job was well done." The wiring was done so you don't see pipe all over the house and roof. Besides the panels on the roof the only thing on the outside of my home is a Sunrun meter. Very good job start to finish and it was complete in about 6 weeks with solar up and running.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

I've been extremely impressed Sunrun as a company, its innovation and product offerings. I first learned of Sunrun about two years ago and I've become more passionate about solar and alternative energy ever since.

I've been super impressed with Sunrun's communication and attention to detail. They have more concern about quality and what's best for me and my situation than I would expect. A great solar company!

When I signed up for solar I was in a new house. Sunrun based my usage on 5 months and said that this would be sufficient to base my energy needs even though my previous address I used more than double. The representative said they had to have usable roof space. When the installers were here I asked if more panels could be installed I was told it could be more than doubled. It wasn't made clear to me that I would be getting a true-up bill from PGE. Needless to say I was in shock when the bill was $7500. When I contacted customer service I was told I would have to re-apply and have a credit score of 650 or higher. At the current time my score is too low so the company totally screwed me over.

Month 4 into the contract I received a notice from Sunrun, something was wrong with my system and they would send someone out. It took almost 2 weeks for another SUNCONTRACTOR of theirs to go to the house, (HE was told to let me know what it was), never received what was wrong. Today I Got APS (power) bill, it was $521.70 along with Sunrun's bill of $140.00=$661.70 for month of August. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!! I found out the system had NOT worked. That an inverter needed replacing among a few other things - HOW AM I GOING TO PAY THIS BECAUSE OF THEM. DON'T GO SOLAR - Take electric co's budget plan... It also is keeping some house from selling in Arizona. How to get out of a contract? I'm 70 with COPD and can't deal with this.

I was at Costco and noticed a solar panel vendor and spoke with their representative about a free home visit cost estimate to place their solar panels on the roof of my house. The representative told me that they could come by the following morning. I asked him if he was sure as I didn't think this gave their sales people enough time to schedule an appointment. The representative told me that this was no problem so I made the appointment at my house with a face to face with their sales person at 10:00 a.m. the following morning.

The next morning I received a call from the sales representative at 9:30 a.m. who told me that due to a family emergency they would not be able to make the appointment and wanted to reschedule but did not have access to their scheduling center and wanted to call me the following day. I felt this was a lie as the representative at COSTCO probably didn't give their field sales staff enough time but I gave this person the benefit of the doubt. The area code of the telephone number this representative was using told me that their sales office was probably two counties away so there was no way that they could keep my appointment. I did not receive a call the next day nor the day after or the following day and figured he had forgotten about me.

A week later I get a follow-up call from the same sales person who started off the conversation with "I believe I sent you an email" which was a lie. I now confirmed in my mind that he had lied about his family emergency during our first telephone conversation. He was a real slick talker kind of like a used cars salesperson. So I told him that I did not want to have anything to do with his company that employs unethical people and I would be filing a complaint with COSTCO as they should not be doing business with Sunrun Installation Services, Inc.

Excellent experience. Mitch was our rep. He is fabulous and made the whole process from start to finish very simple. All of our questions, and we had a ton of them, were answered promptly and thoroughly. The installation was done well and the paperwork was very streamline. We've saved a ton every month. Our experience and savings has been well worth it.

I had my house without Sunrun and I was paying about $120 for energy. I got their system and right now I am paying $250 a month. They are charging me $157 a month and I am paying also to energy company about $100. I have called them so they can come and checked their system and they have refused it. Their customer service is disgusting. I was trying to cancel my contract so I will take them to court.

I contacted Sunrun when BGE Home, the company that maintains some of my home utilities, partnered with Sunrun and sent me an email encouraging me to work with them. I called them, they looked at my home on Google Maps and refused to visit or provide an estimate because there was "too much shade". The following week I contacted Solar City. They sent an agent to our home who evaluated and provided us with a very nice contract with over 30 panels and many financing options that certainly will save us money. Conclusion: Sunrun is interested in maximizing profits per installation. Solar City is interested in producing energy.

After several months for the install. The electrical company left notification at the home that the system could be turned on. We did, or thought we did. Has a Sunrun tech on the phone and he confirmed that they had all they needed and the system was up. System still didn't work. 2nd call, they indicated system was down and sent information to re-boot the system. We tried and still not working. 3rd call, this rep now informed us that they have to have a physical letter from the electrical company on file and they hadn't received it yet... Every time you call for assistance you will get a different answer. I would not recommend this company to anyone who expect good customer service.

DO NOT use Sunrun Solar if you plan to ever sell your home. We listed our home and started escrow. The prospective buyer was discouraged after dealing with Sunrun for the transfer and WITHDREW their offer on our home. Buyer number 2 we were in escrow and within 1 business day of closing and AGAIN Sunrun threw a wrench into the works. It came down to one piece of paper that Sunrun refused to release was going to cost us our 2nd buyer! We closed escrow 5/27/16. Sunrun continued to automatically withdraw money from our account. After several attempts for explanation they assured us in writing that was the last withdraw. WRONG! July and another withdrawal.

Now we are assured this too will be the last withdrawal. I am prohibited from signing into my account to make any changes (auto withdrawal) because their system shuts out the previous owner once the new one signs on. Additionally, I am not allowed to see the invoices nor can/will they produce an invoice to support what they are taking out of our account. The billing department has NO PHONE numbers for access by customers. Supervisors do NOT answer emails. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company for customer service! Go with this company at your own risk!

We have been with Sunrun 4 years. Right after install we noticed that our primary house panels were not producing. It took several phone calls to get a technician out to verify the system was not working. Our latest issue is a roof leak caused by several broken tiles UNDER the solar panels. We have been fighting with Sunrun since February over this issue. Sunrun has sent out several people to look at the roof. Really, how many people do you need to tell you that the leak was caused because of the tiles your installers broke??? They call us back.

I have been a customer of Sunrun for the past 4 years without ever having an issue. Everything ran on time and I have saved over 1800 per year since they turned on the system. Highly recommended.

They setup my system just fine, but I've had my panels on for 3 months now and they don't work, 0 power generation. The customer service department has given me a different story each time, never the same. They refuse to send out a technician. Thankfully I haven't been charged anything since my system hasn't generated any power.

I recently made the mistake of asking Sunrun for an estimate. After reviewing the material I decided not to go with Sunrun, and I sent the salesperson an email stating so. They cannot take No for an answer. I am getting two and three calls per day asking me about my interest in Sunrun. I would never do business with the company.

Easy to talk to. Got my problem solved straight away without any hassles. Best customer service I have ever had by far. Little to no waiting time. Very generous and easy to get financing options. Really liked the simplicity of the program itself. Easy for everyone to understand. Explained in very great detail. Value is great. You certainly get what you pay for. Great overall. Works very well and helps lower monthly bills. So far, no issues had at all. The installation was quick and easy. They came in at a reasonable time as well that worked great what with a busy working schedule. Explained the process as it was happening so I knew what was going on.

I worked with a nice young man who knocked on my door. He talked with me and my wife for about ten minutes to get my bill. He came back later to help us sign up for no money down. We ended up saving money on our PGE energy bill! Recommend to friends!

I have been working with the sales staff at Sunrun, and first told that I was in their territory and we could proceed. Then when I called back I was told that I was not in their territory. Mind you, I have 4 homes I'm trying to get solar for. Then the sales guy calls me back, "good news" he says, "you are in our territory and the design team is working on your project." Again several days go by, nothing from Sunrun, so I call, AGAIN, and salesperson is not in and the guy tries to put me off. Asked for his supervisor, and after a long wait, a guy gets on the phone and now tells me he looked at the address and they can't do my project, even though I was assured their computer was wrong, and the design staff verified they could do the job...

When I complained of how much of my time (several weeks now) was wasted waiting on them, he says, "I see your phone calls, am out to about fifteen minutes". Sorry for wasting you 15 minutes... If I could reach through the phone and drag his fat ass through the phone I would!! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Sunrun will promise at purchase time that they will actively monitor your array. They don't. They promise to maintain your array. They do not. Don't do what I did and do a 100% prepay deal. You'll get stuck calling them when things don't work. They don't have any incentive to keep your array working as you're not paying them for electricity. I lost a whole month of production in 2014. I was stupid thinking Sunrun would actively monitor, they don't. Early this year, I noticed I'm down 4 or 20 panels. I called them and after a month of calling and writing letters. All they have done is sent guys out to confirm my array is damaged and they shut the whole thing off. A month and nothing. Don't do Sunrun. Their service is horrible.

I have Sunrun Panels on my home in Arizona. I am very happy with the entire process. The installation took a couple months longer than I thought, however I believe that was mostly due to the local utility company and my HOA, not Sunrun. My savings are great and my neighbors who went with Sunrun seem very happy also.

We were approached in our local Costco by a Sunrun sales rep who assured us that their company could install solar panels on our stone-coated steel roof. Other solar companies have been very clear that stone-coated steel is NOT a roofing material appropriate for their product, but this rep ensured us that they do it, no problem. We spent 30 minutes at the booth and set up a sales meeting at our home for the following Saturday.

The sales rep came to our home (15 minutes late and he parked in the driveway, both red flags) and spent an hour making his pitch. We asked him several direct questions about how they would install solar on our particular roof, and he had no clear answers for us and told us he'd need to speak with his "design team" and get back to us. 20 minutes after he left our home, he called to let us know that Sunrun, wait for it CANNOT INSTALL SOLAR PANELS ON STONE-COATED STEEL. Seriously. This company doesn't know their own product well enough to know what types of roofs (of which there are only a handful) they can install on? This is basic information! We wasted so much time; I recommend extreme caution when looking into hiring Sunrun for solar panel installation. Yikes!

I recently had solar panels installed on my roof by this company after listening to the sales pitch about great savings and zero cost for installation. The design delays and installation delays caused me to miss the window and the Massachusetts net metering cap was reached. Also I have been notified that the transformer on the pole outside my house is not large enough and needs to be changed out before I can be turned on. I am told that this can take up to 6 months. And until the Massachusetts Legislature raises the net metering cap I am dead in the water.

Right now no one at Sunrun can give me any time frame as to when my system can be turned on. I have 54 solar panels on my roof doing absolutely nothing. Granted it hasn't cost me a cent yet but it hasn't saved me anything either and I have the worst utility company in the country. Please ensure you get all the facts BEFORE signing with this company.

I thought I would get a good company since it's Costco but there were so many dissatisfactions I experienced with SUNRUN. They just want to make their job done as fast as they can and they don't consider my suggestions. They don't get a little history of the solar installed before they come in. Like they thought I have 21 panels working well in fact I have 22 panels so if I wasn't there checking and asking questions then I will have no idea that I will be wasting 1 expensive panel. They also charged me twice the amount of the panels, I was wondering why my interest jumped twice the amount and the bank told me I was charged twice by Sunrun. So I have to call them again and fix the problem. I think they need to improve the quality of their service to avoid mistakes that gives you a bad headache.

Sad to see them with a booth in Costco. I am tempted to stand there and warn anybody who shows any interest that SUNRUN is a terrible company who does not care about their customers. I know I will get a courtesy response to send them my name and address, but the bottom line is they will not do right by you. I have a system that had the inverter break twice. Both times, I found this out by checking my production and notifying Sunrun. One of the times it was out for 2 months!!! They will hide behind the agreement that says they will meet yearly production or refund you, but far be it from them to compensate you for months of NO PRODUCTION!!!

I have already warned several friends about SUNRUN who have subsequently bought systems with other companies. ODD that in multiple phone conversations with Customer Service, the response is, "We can tell you are frustrated and hope to provide better service in the future." No, provide it now. Look at the months of no production and write me a check for the missed production. Look that up in your records and do something other than a lame reply on Facebook and a follow up call that accomplishes little but reminding me I wasted thousands of dollars investing in a terrible company. Until then, COSTCO, I hope you wake up to who you have let in the door. Your name should not be associated with SUNRUN. Disgraceful!!

It is high quality. I've never had problems. Certainly recommend it. Served me very helpful. I had tried many brands until a friend recommended it. Already had a positive impact.

I am happy with the product and quality. I will continue to use more solar power products in my home and look forward it. I added a 4kw system to my house a year ago. This dropped my bill by around 88 dollars on average. I am planning to purchase an additional 3kw before the tax credits expire.

Expert Review

Zachary ShahanSolar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.    More about Zachary→

Sunrun, founded in 2007, was a solar leasing/PPA pioneer and now serves 11 states, making it one of the most widely spread solar installers. However, it hasn’t branched out from its solar leasing roots.

• Strong customer service: Sunrun has a very strong customer service program focused on taking care of everything for the customers and providing good solar software for communication with them.
  • Solar leasing leader: Sunrun was one of the first companies to offer a solar lease/PPA and has stuck closely to that model. With such a focus on this option, and with its co-founders and co-CEOs coming from the finance sector, it seems to offer one of the best solar leasing services around.
  • Continued financing & growth: The company seems to be doing well, as it quite often announces new financing for its growth and has acquired REC Solar, indicating that it is likely to stick around for a while and not bail on its agreements with customers.
  • Solar leasing/PPAs: Sunrun doesn’t even offer an option to buy a solar power system with a loan or cash. You will never own the solar panels on your roof, only lease them.
  • Customer acquisition: Sunrun reportedly has quite high customer acquisition costs, previously – and perhaps currently – using a canvassing system for bringing in customers.
  • Best for Homeowners, small & large businesses, government agencies & nonprofits, leasing & PPA customers, solar beginners

Compare Solar Energy Companies