Call toll free
3.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years or more.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT and WI

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1000 Sunrun Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I started looking into solar energy to save money and lower my electricity bill and I went with Sunrun for their customer service. At the time, I was in a contract with another company and I tried calling them, but they didn't call me back for around two to three weeks. On the other hand, Sunrun called back right away. Because I was leasing, I had to be in a 20-year relationship with the other company, so I decided to go with Sunrun instead. The sales rep was very accessible. If I had any questions, he would call back right away. However, when I signed up at Costco, I was promised a Costco card yet nobody has ever even contacted me or sent me anything. I called Sunrun and Costco about a week ago, but I still haven't had heard anything. They shouldn't promise that and not come through with it.

My experience going solar has been okay, although I thought it would be better. It was supposed to cover everything as far as energy consumption, but I'm still having to pay a bill, which I don't understand. As far as Sunrun is concerned, I monitor it online and there was a period for about 15 days that it wasn't doing anything. I called them and they called me back in a couple of days. They had me go through and try to reset the system and when that didn't work, they sent a technician out and it ended up being a software problem. I wish they had sent him out earlier instead of trying to troubleshoot. They were very professional, but I wish they were faster. I have the Brightbox battery because we use most of our electricity at night, so I wanted the system to run off of it. Every night the system uses the battery to power the house, and it's been okay.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

October of 2017 we had Sunrun install several panels. With the rains of late we discovered not only one leak but seven leaks. Called Sunrun and someone came out and looked at one of the areas and discovered there was no paper over the wood! He did a temporary fix in the one spot but of course from there I was questioning the inadequacy of the roof inspection that should have found at least this spot amongst others that had no paper! Yet a panel was place over that spot! It was Sunrun's obligation to inspect the roof thoroughly before installation. When I wrote ask the response I got via email was that I had to get a "professional roofer" to inspect. Outrageous! Sunrun is obligated to do a more thorough inspection. I will be calling tomorrow to see if they will rectify the situation. If not, I'll take it as far as I need in order to get results.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I was somewhat familiar with solar energy and I've been thinking about it. Sunrun's price seemed right and I trusted Costco because they were overseeing it. Enrolling was easy and I was very happy with the way it was handled through Costco. The installation was a very pleasant situation as well. Everything was taken care of in a professional manner and I'm very satisfied with my decision. I’d recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

When I moved into my current house, it had solar panels already installed and the Brightbox battery was already here. The previous owners had a long-term lease with Sunrun and as part of the real estate transaction, we transferred it over. Our interactions with the reps were straightforward. Our solar energy seems to be working fine and I'm mostly satisfied. It's also nice having the app to track how well it’s working.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We recently purchased a house that had a Sunrun solar system installed. The roof had to be replaced by the previous owners due to a hail storm over the summer, so the panels were removed from the roof before we moved in. After moving in, we contacted Sunrun and scheduled to have our panels reinstalled on February 7th, 2019. Feb. 7th came, no one contacted us to let us know when they would be coming out, and our panels were not reinstalled. I called Sunrun, and was assured that someone would contact me that afternoon, and that our panels would be re-installed on the 8th. No one called, and no one came to put the panels back up on the 8th.

I called again, and was told the same thing - someone will definitely communicate with me right away to get this resolved. Nothing. I called again today 2/11, and was told the same thing. I asked if I could call the branch and dispatch directly, and Sunrun was unable to give me that contact information. How can I get this resolved? All I want is for Sunrun to communicate with me, and get my panels put back up. I guess I'll just call customer service every day forever until someone can actually re-install my panels. So frustrated!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

We wanted to cut down on our electricity bill and make our house more self-contained. We went online and saw Sunrun. After I got the contract I looked it up and saw that they were number two for solar. The installation went well. However, they waited until the month before the bills are due before they installed the solar panels. I called the project manager and I was asking about solar panels. As soon as I talked to him, everything got handled pretty quick.

But we lost electricity twice and we were in the dark. Our wall plugs in the living room, lights in the TV room and the bedroom are supposed to be active. The lights in back bathroom is fully supposed to be on. But the backup that Sunrun put in doesn’t work. And when the guy came out here to look at it, he said the only time he could fix it is when it happens. Also, the guy who installed the backup said he couldn’t do our kitchen. He just told us to take an extension cord and run it through the refrigerator. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the solar. Our electric bill is $9 a month.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I work in the lending industry and deal with solar liens that are put on other people’s homes as part of my job. Most of that experience is a nightmare for me and I have always said that if I was ever going to affiliate myself with a solar company, Sunrun would be the only one that I would work with since I had an experience with them from the other side. Then, Costco picked up Sunrun. I have a very high opinion of Costco and they only endorse companies that are upper echelon so, that reaffirmed it for me. I got a $400 electricity bill and I pulled the plug and said, “That’s enough.”

The enrollment process with Sunrun was easy. I reached out to them and had a pleasant conversation with the man who became my point of contact. He went back and forth and helped make sure that the system that was designed was going to meet the needs that I had. Also, I am anticipating that I’m not going to stay in my house for more than a few years. I already own the home that I’ll be moving to, so I had some questions if I could transfer and if I could have solar leases on more than one property at the same time. This guy from Sunrun knew everything. Instead of just telling me what I wanted to hear when he didn't know the answer, he would say that he would double check with a legal team and get back to me.

Everybody who came to my house was super professional and really knowledgeable. They cleaned up after themselves and were very polite. The system, many months down the road, is producing exactly as they told me that it was going to. I used to harp at the kids and over the last handful of years, I had already replaced everything that I possibly could in my house to become more energy efficient but since going with Sunrun, I don’t worry so much.

I have a pool that runs and also solar heat for the pool, so I have to run it during the daytime. I have a koi pond that runs 24/7 and I work from home, so I have office equipment that are running too. I didn’t have anything that I could cut anywhere else and I was still getting these bills that were 400 plus every month. Now, my Sunrun bill is $187 and I don’t true-up with the electrical company until August. As it stands right now, I owe the electrical company about $300 and I feel confident that over the summer, they’ll be buying energy from me so that will actually true-up to where I won’t owe them any money. I recommend Sunrun to everybody. From start to finish, it was a great experience.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I’ve been wanting to get solar for a while. I got a friend that has Sunrun down in the community. When I enrolled with Sunrun, everything was kosher. The process was very easy. It’s been a good experience since going solar.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

It would take me a week to go through all of the ridiculous excuses why I am not getting what I am paying for. First off the install did not meet the design as planned, the number of panels promised did not occur, panel placement was not done properly. Unit productivity 1.5 kw less than contracted. Billing issues, 1 month without productivity because they did not realize panels weren't functioning. Just a B.S. company.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

We looked into solar to save money and then the people from Sunrun came to our door. They were amazing on their knowledge, their availability, and the way that each phase came in, just bam. The process of signing up and getting started was very easy. Everything’s been very good with customer service. However, it has not been a big benefit financially because we got it in towards the end of summer and we have had a lot of rain and gray skies. We're still paying a huge bill to our old electric company because we haven’t been producing the amount of energy that we needed and we're disappointed in that. But we're hoping that after this next summer, we’ll get ahead. The experience with Sunrun and the way they did it all was very positive.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Our electric bill was ridiculously high so we looked into solar energy services and got Sunrun. They let us made payment. Enrolling with them was super easy as well. It wasn’t working properly for the first couple of months and so we had to have them out a couple of times and the customer service was excellent. Their people all spoke English and that was huge. We weren’t calling India or the Philippines. They made it easy. We could ask them something and they took care of it so we love it. We also bought Sunrun’s Brightbox battery as back-up. My daughter also has Sunrun but they didn’t put enough panels on hers, and they didn’t give her a battery back-up either. She needs hers to be upgraded. But other than that, ours has been perfect. We're totally satisfied and we’ve enjoyed Sunrun.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I had Sunrun in my previous home and I did a quick comparison between other providers. The customer service was a big thing for me, and they had a rep that came out to the house that always followed up and went over the procedures with me compared to other companies. With Tesla, no one comes to your house and everything is done via phone. I do not like not knowing someone face-to-face, getting a handshake and signing a contract in front of someone. I like the personalization with Sunrun compared to others.

I signed up online and the rep came to my house and showed me the contract. I already knew what I was getting and within a week, I had a signed contract, everything configured and ready to go. They always follow up and check every couple of months. When I had the installers here, they introduced themselves. They told me how long they were gonna be here and how long it was gonna take. Overall I'm happy with my decision to go solar. We've had a bad winter so I haven't seen the full effects of it, but in my other home, I have and it's everything that it's supposed to be. I have better bills and I feel like I can control my bills over ComEd. It's a good decision when I'm just paying one company in the end.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I am very happy with Sunrun and I have given their number to almost all my friends and whoever is interested in solar. Signing up with them was quite easy and I had very good interaction with their customer service. Since the installation, I am able to save a lot of money on my electricity bill. It used to come very high but now, I’m very happy when I open my letter. I have to pay a little more in the winter time but I’m hoping very good savings in the coming summer. Overall, my experience has been very good. There are many solar companies but I like Sunrun better. The others have different options which are so confusing that I never liked it. Sunrun is so simple and I considered it number one.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

When our roof was originally inspected by SunRun, they told us we needed a new roof in order to move forward with installation of solar energy. We informed them that we had a new roof put on 6 years ago with 30 year architectural shingles and had ALL the sheathing replaced at that time. Why would we need a new roof including sheathing replacement. We disputed it without prevail. So we agreed to the roof replacement because we really wanted solar.

Once the roofing company came to replace the roof all they did was remove the shingles and put new ones on. My husband questioned the supervising contractor at that time and even went up on the roof with him. The contractor said that the sheathing was all satisfactory and even the shingles were fine but he just does what he's told to do. By coincidence the rep was at our house on the same day and we questioned him also as to why they weren't replacing the sheathing and he said he would look into but in the meantime let them move forward. We questioned why they were not replacing any sheathing and the roofing company said it was not necessary. So then again I say why did we need a new roof?? They told us (inspector for SunRun) that sheathing was also being replace-but it had not been! So we then call SunRun and ask them for evidence of the necessity of a new roof.

They sent us photos of the attic where there was old water damage (from the roof leak 6 years ago that required us replace our roof) and 1 picture a broken shingle. I asked if it was a shingle issue then I want to see more than just 1 picture of 1 broken shingle and could not be provided with any more evidence. They (Sunrun) then sent out another inspector who went into the attic and said, "I do see the newer sheathing (from 6 years ago) and the old water damage. None of the old water damage on the beams was currently wet and did not need replacing as it does not compromise the structure. So yes you did not need a new roof and I apologize for the previous inspector, he will be required to receive more training." OK so why should WE have to pay for his mistakes?!?! We knew we did not need a new roof from the start but was pushed into it by someone who is not trained properly.

We are very unhappy with the outcome of all of this. We are not people who not pay our debts, but this situation is just wrong so I must stand up for myself. I even put my rental property project on hold until this is resolved. I am a seasoned realtor and in my business can send many clients your way. I have already referred 3 and have 3 more waiting for me to forward their information. Why would I want to do that if I am not completely satisfied. Why would I want to refer them to a company who fails to follow up on my complaints.

I and my husband have repeatedly tried to reach out to supervisors and SunRun in order to rectify this situation and keep being left in limbo. We have spoken to many reps from Customer service. One of the customer service reps even refused to give us her supervisors name and number. After going back and forth finally gave us his name but said I'm not giving you his phone number. REALLY?!?! Then I receive a collection notice?!?! This upsets me to no end and my next step is to file a complaint with the better business bureau. This has been an extremely unpleasant matter. And please don't respond to my complaint the same way you do to all others, starting out with "we are disheartened by your situation," just get me a resolution!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

We were planning on getting solar just because we’re having some disputes about the PG&E and accountability with the fires in California. We live in Vacaville, which is particularly hot in the summer. We get a lot of sun and we thought we could minimize our bills. Also, if there are blackouts or power outages, we would have a battery for backup. We contacted a couple of different places. Elon Musk’s company was the first one we contacted, and they were expensive. And we weren’t gonna be able to get a battery with it. It was back ordered. So we decided we weren’t gonna go with that even though we had somebody come out and do the consulting. We found Sunrun through Costco because we shop there. It’s near our house too. They came out and did a consultation and the price came about $3,000 lower. It also came with a battery. We decided to go with Sunrun.

The initial process of enrollment was meeting the representative at Costco. They took our preliminary information and within a day, we had somebody contact us by phone to set up a consultation and evaluation of the house, if it was even a viable installation for them. It was very accessible for us in terms of them being at Costco where we go all the time, then getting the consultation set up quickly. However, we had a small issue after the initial installation. The battery hadn't been hooked up properly and it went by a week. There was also an issue when we had the inspection, the grounds weren’t proper according to the city inspector. But it turned out that the city inspector just missed where the grounds were installed on the exterior of the house.

We called Sunrun about the inspection and they had somebody out here the next day to take care of it. The same guy who did the installation came out, checked it, and actually did a double ground to satisfy the need of the inspector. The installation crew was all very professional. They were three young guys and they got it all installed and I was amazed that they were working despite the heat. They got it all installed in a day. When we had an issue with the battery, Sunrun actually informed us that they noted through their monitoring that it didn’t look like our battery was functioning properly. They sent somebody out, at our convenience, within the next day.

In conclusion, even though we had the glitch with the battery, the people at Sunrun caught it and were apologetic and were willing to remedy the situation quickly. It could’ve gone for months and we wouldn’t know that we’re not generating energy. I thought they were forthcoming about that and I appreciated that. Also, going solar was a great environmental decision for us. We also did it because we could take advantage of the tax credits that aren’t gonna be as generous in the coming years.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

My bill has tripled in the past 2 years after putting in SUNRUN PANELS! RUN from this company!!! And do your research! I just received a $6000.00 dollar electric "TRUE BILL" FOR THE YEAR! That is 500.00 a month plus the monthly payment to Sunrun of 250.00! I went from 350.00 a month to 750.00 a month! This company is horrible. The customer service is THE WORST EVER! Their so called service man did nothing! It took 2 weeks to have someone come out, he came 2 hours early. I believe to hopefully miss me and leave! He refused to write anything down and told me to go ahead and take SUNRUN TO COURT!

I cannot believe the disrespect from this company! I have a written statement from SDG&E stating that the solar panels are not working! I am now getting called by someone that obviously has given the same bull to other consumers that got screwed by this company! I will take this all the way! I hope Lynn Jurich!! STARTS READING ALL THE TERRIBLE REVIEWS AND COMPLAINTS ABOUT SUNRUN! AND MAKE AN EFFORT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Stacie. We certainly understand your concerns after receiving such a high utility bill. We would love the opportunity to look into this and address these issues one on one. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Updated on 02/09/2019: We wrote a review earlier about how bad the customer experience was. Finally Sunrun agreed to send out a technician to look at our roof to see the leaks and damage done. The technician arrived and said yes our leaks in the roof are from the solar as the original company they used to install did not install it correctly on the roofs. So that company no longer works with Sunrun. So the technician fixed the broken tiles from where they screwed in the bolts into. The sealing had corroded from the pipes and the broken tiles caused the roofing paper to leak. Now the technician says we need to call Sunrun back to come and reinstall the panels and fix all the tiles that are broken. They will also need to fix all the damage from the leaks. We will see if we even get through the customer service lines this time. The people they have working customer service are so rude and no help.

Original Review: We bought a house in March 2018 which already had Sunrun. We tried to get out of the contract but they would not let us. Within a week of purchase we noticed leaks in the roof which the previous owners had fixed from Sunrun installation. We had it fixed temporarily until we could get Sunrun back out. Come to Jan 30th, 2019. We called and asked to speak to a supervisor and said a supervisor was not available and they would call back. Never received a call. Call Today, Feb 4th and asked to speak to a supervisor and was told no supervisor was working. I refused to take that as answer. Finally after arguing with the person I was transferred to a supervisor. Now I should hear from a technician to come assess the roof within 24-48 hours. We will update this with the progress. Why would the company lie to their customers?

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Chris. We certainly can understand your concerns with these roof issues you've been having. I'm happy to hear we were able to get someone out to your home. But, we definitely want to ensure that we see this issue to resolution. We'd love the opportunity to address your concerns more personally. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I live in New England and we can have snow and hurricanes and we can lose power. I was looking to be able to have an alternate power source to back up particularly my heat and refrigeration. I looked at emergency lighting. I priced out and looked into a generator as well and then decided that it was not what I wanted. Meanwhile, somebody had told me that solar was not offering a backup battery and that same person told me two companies were the ones to look at, one of them being Sunrun.

My experience enrolling with Sunrun was fine. A guy came to the house and went through the process. And we looked at figures to see what made sense, whether I wanted to buy or rent. I ended up renting the system. Everything was seamless. However, I wish the person that they originally sent out to assess the property itself and to bring that information back so that they could figure out what might be appropriate, had little more on the ball. But, otherwise, everybody else that I worked with was very professional and knowledgeable about their product.

In addition to that, I had little confusion in the end when it was time to coordinate with the electric company to change out my meter. That was delayed, and it was delayed on Sunrun’s side. Also, I would like to follow up to be able to discuss a different property but I haven’t had anybody to return my calls. Still, I had a very good experience overall, and I love getting my electric bill and having it under $40. Although I’m paying Sunrun, too, even the combined bills are saving me money. I’m happy with Sunrun.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Don't get me wrong. I am excited to be on solar... However... As far as customer service goes... it's awful, and having gone through the experience, and knowing what I know. I honestly would go elsewhere for my panels just have a better experience with customer service. Best part... I have a leak in my new roof. And I get to pay $200 to the company if they don't find themselves at fault for the leak... The leak in a roof that didn't leak prior to the installation of the panels... And is only 2 years old.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Sara. It is disheartening to hear about your experience. We really pride ourselves on being customer-focused, and it's disappointing to hear you did not get that impression. We would love the opportunity to speak with you and discuss any outstanding questions and concerns you may have. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

My husband wanted to see if getting into solar energy services would make life easier as far as being cheaper and more affordable. I was dealing with a different solar energy company, but they weren't doing the things that they needed to do, My representative, in the middle of everything, changed companies and went to Sunrun. The enrollment process with Sunrun was easy. Sunrun did what they were supposed to do much better than the last company. As far as installation, they came out when they said they were gonna come out and they met every appointment, so everything was good. I also called customer service last week and they were very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

A gal came around our neighborhood and she was talking to us about Sunrun. She was a very sweet girl. My so-called daughter, an adopted gal, has lived here in Casa Grande for years and I was unaware that she had solar power. Just before this Sunrun gal came, my daughter had sent me a message about how the federal government was changing things. So when this gal came by, I decided to talk to her and my experience with Sunrun has been wonderful. They've been very nice and considerate. They, especially the gal, have always answered my questions. She was very gracious too. She still corresponds with me when I have questions. She's still very aware of things that are going on in my life and keeps in touch with me. It's quite a nice experience.

My biggest complaint has been with APS. Last year, we didn’t understand the buy-out with APS and how they could just buy the energy out without us even saying that they could buy it out. It was something that we totally did not understand when we signed up, especially regarding how much they paid us over our electricity and how much we're paying now. That aside, I'm 100% satisfied with our decision to go solar and so far, the experience has been really good.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I had a ridiculously high PG&E bill so I got interested in getting solar energy services to get a bill that is more affordable and to be more environmentally sound. A friend and his wife spoke highly of Sunrun so it piqued my interest. Their home is a two level and has a lot of similarities, so I knew that their situation was similar to ours. I figured if it works for them then it would work for us too. When I enrolled with Sunrun, their process was not too bad. I started off over the phone and on the final stages, I had to have people come out for the inspection.

Sunrun has good people that work for the company. Plus, they have a product that seems to work well. At one point, some of the panels weren’t working properly and it was causing the bill to be high. But they got the panels fixed and made adjustments to the bill. I am very pleased with Sunrun. I am also glad I went solar and I have absolutely noticed a difference in my bill.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

The Sunrun reps came to my house and introduced themselves. I liked their presentation and the gentleman giving it made it very simple to understand. I enrolled with them and it was a really easy process. I called their customer service when I had a couple of questions and they answered them. It was all top-notch. Since going solar, our savings have been remarkable. My previous bills from SDG&E were averaging about 200 and now they're down below $50. Plus, I don't have to cringe every time I get a bill from SDG&E. Sunrun has been very accommodating and the savings have been exactly what they said it would be. I am 100% satisfied and I'm sorry I didn't do it earlier.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Sunrun was pretty much known in our area. Enrolling through them was easy and they were able to answer all the questions I've had during the process. I have purchased the Brightbox battery and I use the prepaid monthly option. We got it because we have peak hours here. The battery stores power, and when the time comes at its peak, it’s gonna use some of the power that is stored in it. Since going to solar, I check two websites. One is to make sure that it’s running, and the second one to monitor daily usage. Then I compare it to how much usage I used from my power company’s website. I'm satisfied with my decision going solar. It has reduced my utility bills quite a bit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I'm happy with Sunrun’s service. It’s excellent but their app is horrible. It's the worst in the market. It doesn't operate properly and I should not have to use a different app to get the information that I need to look at my own system. Their app is not up to speed. So Sunrun needs to fix and update it. But other than that, I love Sunrun. I love having a zero bill. Sunrun was a great investment and I'm glad that we did it.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My experience in enrolling with Sunrun was good. Everybody that was involved kept me updated on the process and what was going on. I thought there was a little bit of a time gap in between getting the panels installed and getting them turned on. But I know that has a lot to do with the power company as well. But since the installation, the experience has been pretty good so far. I had definitely noticed the cost savings.

I had a feeling that I would have to pay some during the winter months and I did notice that in the last few months, I have had to pay the electric company. But since it's the winter, I wasn’t really surprised. I just didn’t think it would be as much. It was like $50. It wasn’t anything exorbitant but I was thinking $30 at the most. On the other hand, I just got the system turned on at the end of summer so majority of the energy that I was promised it would generate probably wouldn't happen in just the latter half of the year. So I'm looking to see how much I would actually generate from January to December this year. I should generate a lot more energy starting at the beginning of the summer to bank for the end of the year. So I'm not displeased at all.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

My neighbors got Sunrun. I spoke to them about it and it seemed like a good deal at the time. I decided to go with Sunrun. I like the way they got the price set up, so I can pay for them. I’m having trouble having to pay extra bills to Duke Power because it ain't making enough power. But we have had a lot of rain and cloud in this past year. It was easy enrolling with Sunrun but it was difficult understanding what they were saying. They were going through stuff so fast but I went ahead and went with it. My power bill during the summertime usually runs close to 200 to 250. And with Sunrun right now, the most I’m having to pay is 80 and most of the time, a little under $10 to Duke Power for the management of it.

Also, I called Sunrun one time. I wanted to find out why I had to pay extra to Duke Power because a couple of times during the summer, it got up to $27. It's supposed to be $8.50 and I was having to pay for some kilowatts that it wasn’t making. The interaction with the rep was fine. He told me everything was working right. It’s just that on cloudy days, it didn't make enough power for the month to cover the regular bill. Overall, I'm satisfied with going solar. I’ve had a couple people ask me about Sunrun and I told them so far, it looked good.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Going solar was a no-brainer for us when we got transferred here. Costco had a deal and knowing the warranty, service, support and the backing of Costco, I would get the benefits that Sunrun offers. On top of that, compared to some of the others that we looked at, we had that confidence in Costco. The whole enrollment process with Sunrun was simple and the installation was seamless. The installers did great but not long after our system was installed, I did not feel like it was performing at all. We have a big system with 46 panels and I was still getting some nasty bills from the electric company. When I called Sunrun customer service to talk about it, they weren't as supportive as I would've liked.

I finally called the sales rep that I dealt with and I told him what was going on. I also told him that my next call is to Costco and I’m sure that they will not be happy about it. I was told not to do it and the rep got involved and things were better. When the technician came out, he couldn't find anything wrong and couldn't reproduce what we were noticing that was happening with the system. He said that he was gonna hook up wireless connectivity so they could monitor it more regularly. However, something wasn't working right for him, so he said that he will come back tomorrow with a cellular connection. He asked me if I was okay with it and I said yes.

Then, as he was walking up to the system, it started airing out, flaking and making all the noise that we were telling him it was doing. He was able to then pull the airs. It was a frustrating experience for me because I should not do a threat to go to Costco and that they should've been able to tell Sunrun that the thing wasn't necessarily performing at a level that it should have been. Since then, everything has been fine and I haven't had the need to contact anybody. Everything is performing as it should and we are happy with Sunrun now. It has been a great experience and I like being able to know that in the hottest months of the summer, we are doing our part to produce as much energy as we can and not in the way that's polluting the environment.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My system was installed in March of last year. At the time I signed up it was part of a promotion with Home Depot, which included a $250 Home Depot gift card. I have never received this! I called customer care today and was told that the sales rep did not enter the promotion therefore I am out of luck. The rep no longer works for Sunrun but I was able to get in touch with him, and he stated that the reps did NOT have to enter any such promotion for the customer to receive. Either way, I never received what I was promised.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Katy. We certainly understand your frustration with not receiving this offer you were originally promised. We'd love the opportunity to make this right with you. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Had our solar system installed in May 2018 and the rep after all the calculations reassured us that our electric bill will be lower than before. And now we have $195 monthly bill from Sunrun and exactly the same electric bill as before, absolutely no changes. This company is a scam. Never use their services and don’t believe them.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Anna. We certainly understand your concern with not seeing a change in your utility bills. We would love the opportunity to look into this and work to find the reason for these higher than expected bills. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Sunrun expert review by Zachary Shahan

In business for over 10 years, this company services more than 100,000 customers in 22 states. They specialize in customized solar energy systems and offers a lifetime warranty on its products.

• Multiple financing options: SunRun lets you pay for your solar energy system in many ways. If you want to lease the system, you can pay SunRun a set amount per month or pay them a higher up-front fee and avoid the monthly payment. If you want to own the system, you can pay off the system in full or finance it with a loan.

• Lifetime warranty: SunRun guarantees the performance of its product throughout the product’s lifetime. This warranty promises free repairs on your solar energy system. SunRun’s systems also include a roof warranty in case of leaks or holes.

• mySunRun app: With SunRun’s mobile app, mySunRun, you can track your system’s production, share your system’s stats via social media and change your billing preferences. The app also helps you submit customer support issues and refer friends to SunRun in exchange for Visa gift cards.

• LG Chem battery: With SunRun, you can purchase an LG Chem battery in addition to your solar energy system. This battery can store the excess energy that your system produces, making it available to you in the event of an outage.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sunrun Company Information