2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.50/5

Sunrun's solar systems and Brightbox battery give you more than savings — they also give you control of your electricity, letting you save power on sunny days to use when it’s cloudy or raining. Sunrun strives to be the easiest and smartest way to join the clean energy revolution, and the company guides you through installation and your next 25 years of superior solar and battery performance.

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Sunrun offers customizable leasing, financing, purchase and PPA agreements, including options with no down payment. Sunrun's customers are generally satisfied with their solar systems but note the initial cost was high.

PROS

• Provides a warranty with all plans
  • U.S.-based customer service
  • Multiple payment options

CONS

• Limited battery storage availability
  • Pricing not available online

Top Sunrun Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Signing up was very easy. It was a couple days after I signed up that they came out and did the installation. They were on my roof for one day, and it was up and running. We started in June and my largest energy bill has been $5.38. I'm very happy so far.

The installation team was great. They were clean and they had nice personalities. I just had my roof redone, and I asked about where the bolts go, and they answered all my questions about it. I'm happy I went solar. I'm ecstatic.

What is Sunrun?

Sunrun sells solar panels and leases solar energy systems with optional battery storage in some states. The company also installs residential solar energy systems and partners with grid managers and utility companies to leverage power capacity.

Sunrun installs the latest solar energy technology and uses monocrystalline panels known for their high efficiency and a low rate of degradation. Sunrun’s solar panel warranty also includes a performance guarantee — if the system does not maintain certain levels of production, Sunrun fixes or replaces the faulty panels.

Sunrun costs

The average cost for a solar energy system ranges from $15,000 to $29,000, but Sunrun’s prices are sometimes higher than other solar energy providers because it uses cutting-edge technology. Fill out a form on its website to get a free customized solar energy system design and quote. Sunrun partners with Costco to make solar panels available to its members at lower prices.

If you want to go solar but can’t afford the upfront price, you might qualify for leasing or a no-down-payment loan from Sunrun. With a solar loan, you own the system and claim the rebates or tax credits while you pay for it over time.

You can also sign a power purchase agreement (PPA) instead of buying the solar panels and pay for years of energy at a lower rate than local utility companies charge. Sunrun maintains the system on your roof for the lifetime of the PPA.

Some states also offer rebates or special programs for solar energy systems, and the federal government has a tax credit in place until 2021. A Sunrun advisor can help determine if you qualify.

Sunrun installation

Sunrun customizes solar system installations based on each situation. A technician visits, measures and evaluates your home using automated site modeling to determine the optimum panel placement. Sunrun’s experts then review the design and submit it to the city to receive a permit.

When work begins, crews need access to your yard, electrical panel, roof and attic. Sunrun's employees install a meter and inverter alongside your home, and the panels are typically installed on your roof.

Your local city government must inspect and approve the system before you can connect it to the grid. The local utility company installs a net meter so it can track how much solar electricity you produce and use. Upon approval from the utility company, you can begin using your solar panels.

Sunrun warranty

All of Sunrun’s solar plans come with a workmanship warranty, and its PPAs come with rate-increase protection. The workmanship warranty covers equipment replacement and system repairs, including parts and labor. Sunrun installations come with a roof warranty that guarantees any holes its employees put in your roof remain watertight for 10 years. If you choose to add battery storage, the batteries are under warranty for 10 years as well. Certain plans also come with 24/7 monitoring to ensure your system is operating at peak performance.

Sunrun maintains leased solar power systems, but you are responsible for any maintenance and repairs outside the scope of your warranty if you own the system.

Sunrun FAQ

What solar panels does Sunrun use?
Sunrun uses LG solar panels, such as the NeON 2. LG solar panels are made of monocrystalline cells, which are known for higher efficiency and slower degradation.
Where are Sunrun solar panels made?
Sunrun solar panels are manufactured in South Korea.
What is the Sunrun app?
The Sunrun app allows you to see how much energy your system is producing along with system features and billing information. It is available for iPhone and Android devices.
Where is Sunrun available?
Sunrun is available in 22 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Wisconsin. Brightbox batteries are available in Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Texas and Vermont. The company also installs solar systems in Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.
What is Sunrun’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel or make changes to your Sunrun solar agreement within 21 days of signing the contract as long as it’s before the installation date.
Who owns Sunrun?
Sunrun is a publicly traded company with significant capital investments from Pacific Gas and Electric Company and Sequoia Capital. The CEO is Lynn Jurich.

Is Sunrun a good company?

Yes, Sunrun is a good company. Sunrun offers flexible lease and purchase terms, including no-down-payment options, and it can customize a contract based on your needs. Homeowners who want to install solar panels but are concerned that their homes might not be a good fit can consult with Sunrun to optimize a solar energy system designed for their homes’ unique energy profiles.

Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I’m an Ambit consultant and we work hand in hand with Sunrun. It's a marriage of convenience. Ambit and Sunrun work together in a lot of states. Enrollment was very easy. Permits were handled by Sunrun so I had no necessity to go to any supplier or utility to ask for permits. I didn’t even have to go to the Village and ask for permits. But after I signed up, I actually put them off because the weather in January of last year was so horrendous. We had a couple of days that were minus 20. I called up and told the girl in the office not to send anyone to work on our roof in that weather. She said she was glad I was aware of that. I had worked outside for a lot of years. I know what it is to work in weather like that and if you’re on up high, you’re exposed to a lot of wind – not only the temperature. You have a lot of wind chill. I understood the people were not making any money but in the long run, they're better off.

My panels were installed on the 22nd of February last year and the system was actually activated the 26th of March. So it took approximately a month for Commonwealth Edison to get off their butt and approve the connection. From then on, it has worked great. I'm extremely satisfied. I go out and check how much I generate every couple days and just say, “Whoa, wow. Look at this.” Then I check my electric bill and see. There was actually a screw-up on my April bill last year but ComEd overcharged. They disregarded the fact that I had solar panels. They just charged me an electric bill but I got that back.

In my first year, summer was absolutely great. In December, I paid one and a half month’s electric bill. January was a two-month electric bill because we had a lot of cloudy weather and I have the Sunrun cost plus ComEd. So even though I have a lot of panels, they didn’t generate sufficiently through the cloud cover. But I expected that and my summer electric bills more than made up for it. I was between $16 and $18 a month, which is a connectivity fee with Commonwealth Edison. I can’t get away from that.

I was also there during the entire installation and I took pictures. There was a four-man crew and they were extremely efficient. They wasted no effort. There was a first crew that came in and sistered the joist inside the roof because Sunrun demanded that. Their engineering team wanted the additional support. But the four people that were on the roof were installing the plates that go between the shingles. They installed the standoffs to hold the panels up. One did the wiring and one did all the piping. It was a total one-day installation and they installed 26 panels on my roof plus the inverter. They also connected it to the box inside, through the meter standard. Everything was all very professionally done. They were quality people.

They did an extremely good and efficient installation, and it worked immediately. The Village had somebody come out and inspect it. He was going to fail it and I asked why. I happened to work for an electrical contractor at one time and I told him to look at it again. It was connected properly. The Sunrun rep was there too. The person from the Village asked me what I knew about it so I told him. Then he said I was right. Everything was connected exactly the way it was supposed to be.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

When we moved, our new electricity costs were ridiculously high although we hadn’t changed anything that should have made an impact. We literally moved from two minutes away so it wasn’t even like we had lived somewhere far away. So, when that happened, we started looking for other ways to save on our electricity. We did a couple of little short stints with third-party electric providers but trying to get them cancelled on time and everything was a hassle. We started thinking about solar and I saw that my friend had gone solar and she was saving money, so we decided to look into it. At that time, our sales rep was working with a different company and I just got a hold of the person that she recommended who happened to be working with Sunrun.

You're supposed to have one survey of your house, your roof and property, and the first person who came out looked at our house. We were having the panels put on the garage but they didn’t check it so they had to come back out. Then, the second person they sent was new and he messed up at every appointment he had been to that day and he didn’t do everything he was supposed to do. So, they had to send a third person out. I was a little disgruntled about having to have people constantly come back out because we have dogs and it was a hassle. But they gave us a gift card to make up for it, so that was helpful and it made me feel better. So, enrolling wit them wasn’t really hard. It was just the fact that it was only supposed to happen once and it happened three times. Finally, the third person that they sent out did a good job, checked everything and was thorough.

We had a couple of things in our yard that we kinda had built in, like a playground for our kids and things, and where Sunrun wanted to run the lines, the second person who clearly didn’t know what he was talking about, told me that they would have to run it through there. I said that we couldn't tear that up and he said that he didn't know what I could do. So some of that was a little bit upsetting. We've already signed everything. It all worked out but if they were a little more careful of making sure people were either trained, that would be good. But other than that, it wasn’t bad.

We met with Sunrun mid-August and they installed them the first week of December. As of December 26th, the electric company had signed off on us turning them on and we started making electricity right away. This time last year, I would not have been sure if I had made the right choice. I recommend not to start the process where they're gonna turn on in winter because we were paying Sunrun and then we were also paying probably $100 to the electric company. Also, on January and February, it was gloomy and the sun was not really out. So, that caused me to panic a little because it was more than what we were paying with just electric. But now that we've had them through spring, summer and everything, we pay our fee of 117 for the equipment to Sunrun and then, we pay $16 a month to the electric company, which is actually a fee that they add on your bill. So, we're not paying them anything for actual electricity.

At first, when the installers came on installation day, they were gonna have to run it in some really cockeyed way that it was gonna look terrible on the side of our farmhouse. I ended up talking with the installation manager who was overseeing it that day and I told him that I didn’t want that run like that. He said he would think about it and he would see if he could work something else out. It took him 15 minutes and he figured out a way so it’s kinda hidden in the metal pipe through the attic that's not even in my way and it comes out the other side. It’s not ugly on my house. I ended up having to handle the situation and if I would have been a person who would do it however they want, I would have been unsatisfied with how it was installed on my house.

After they left, there was a spot where they put the box in the side of your house or garage. The wire comes down the side of the building and then they put almost like a cap over it, so it's protected and they put it in and then they moved it over a couple of inches. Where they had taken it off, there were little, tiny screw holes in the siding and you couldn’t really see them but then, throughout winter, they got brittle and it busted out a little part of our siding on our garage. I contacted them, and it took a month or so in order to get someone out here. But they made that right too.

You should make sure that going solar works for you. People should ask questions, specifically how they’re gonna run things through because our sales rep was nice and answered a lot of our questions but there were some things that he was kind of quick on. He said he would be here on installation day but then, he never was there on any of the surveys or the installation day because of some personal things going on, which I could understand. But on the other hand, I didn’t know what I was doing. So, it would have been nice if he would have been there.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

The first several months were very rocky and there were a lot of hiccups. But once it started to go and work, it’s been great. We’ve been producing a lot of energy. We got our true-up bill and it was $400 from Edison. They didn't count the first few months because we weren’t producing anything for several months. That was when we had to go on Edison for a while and that was what was reflecting in those true-up bills.

I called Sunrun and they said they would look into it. Considering the circumstances of our rocky start and that we produced well below the guaranteed amount that we were supposed to be getting for that first year, they were going to somehow fix it so they would give me a credit. And that way, it would offset the $400 that I owe Edison. The rep said she would look in and by next Tuesday, they will know more about if the people that reviewed this would say it’s okay that they’re gonna take care of it this year or if I have to wait till next year. It would be really nice if they could somehow reimburse us.

Everything was officially turned on about February 19th last year, so we missed all those months of production, but we still had to pay our contractual monthly PPA agreement. So we were kind of in a poor spot at that point. Things were finally ironed out and it was through patience and consideration and really nice help from Sunrun. They were very nice. Every step of the way, they go, “Oh, so sorry. We’ll try to fix that.” But it was through no fault of anyone. It was something about the way that things were set up.

I picked Sunrun because I did the homework and I found out that they were one of the leading proponents of renewable energy and they had a pretty good record. We talked to Matthew and he was very nice. We sort of talked it over and came to an agreement that we would do the PPA. We are glad we did that despite all the problems along the way. But even from the get-go, the workers came out and said they were gonna put in 21 panels. But I told them that I was supposed to have 19 and a battery. So they had to go away and they didn't come back out again until weeks later. And then they finally got it all set up. I’m glad we are solar because it’s nice to know that we’re saving $75 a month.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

We had been looking at getting solar energy service on and off for a couple of years and we finally decided to do it. We got Sunrun solar through Costco. Their sales guy was wonderful and very informative. He really knows a lot of information and was upfront and honest about a lot of things. He really stepped in and got me what was promised. Then the installation went really well when it finally got agreed upon.

The design of the system is perfect. It suits our home and it gives us the energy we need. But I did have a problem and I did my due diligence. We had no electricity over half the house. The washer, dryer, water heater, air conditioning, heater, and Wi-Fi were all out. Sunrun told me that I had to call an electrician to diagnose the problem to verify that it wasn’t the electrical in my house. He didn’t touch any of their equipment but he went through everything. The person on the phone couldn't understand the scope of the problem and how big it was. It couldn’t wait until they could get it checked out here 13 days. We have four adults in this house and two big dogs, and waiting two weeks for them wasn't gonna work.

The electrician talked to Sunrun on the phone. He went through the process that they were telling him to shut it off and turn it back on. Shutting the entire system down and going back on the grid didn’t fix the problem. I had already done that twice. He kept telling them that the problem was in their equipment. It was a long day on the phone with them. There are people that pick up the phone and they’re just going by a book. They’re not really listening to the scope of what is going on in your home. As the homeowner, I did my due diligence to identify the problem with the licensed electrician. If I didn’t know how to get ahold of the tech that came and helped me with my system when it was first set up directly, I would still be sitting here without electricity in my house. Basically, the solution was just locating the inverter switch where the only person that was supposed to go in was a certified technician to flip that switch back on. It was a matter of flipping a switch.

Sunrun is a good company, but they have some internal process things they need to work out and they need to train their internal employees better. In order to get a problem solved, you have to be the squeaky wheel and I’m not one to just sit back and wait for things. Plus, my situation was pretty big. I can’t run on a house without hot water or heat or air conditioning or a lot of things for two weeks because they can’t get a tech to me.

Sunrun is selling these big systems that cost a ton of money and they need to back it up with support. When you have a problem and you have to go through their customer service to get a tech to your house, that’s the downfall. They're supposed to get the right person to you. But they don’t know what they’re doing and they’re not listening to the problem. Their customer service people are not trained and not knowledgeable. If it wasn’t for the sales guy and the tech guy, I probably wouldn’t have been with Sunrun. Also, the equipment, the setup, and how it serves up in our home are wonderful.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I was on Facebook and there was a posting about solar, and I started doing a little research and looking around. I found 4 different companies that had ratings, and I contacted all 4 and had them come to the house and do a presentation. One of the 4 never cancelled but never showed, and among the 3, Sunrun was the most impressive. The sales rep that they sent out was very personable and very knowledgeable and I was about 75% sold. Then one little time in about a week, he followed up and I said, “Yeah, let’s do this.” So, we got started and away we went.

The enrollment was a simple process of getting things signed up. They did as much for me and I had to do very little. I’m sort of retarded when it comes to that kind of stuff if it gets technical, but they took me through it pretty much. The gentleman that was coordinating always sent me an email or phone call saying, “We’ll do this,” and then, “Here’s what's next. Here’s what they're gonna do.” And even down to the city inspection, even back to the guys who’ll be there in such and such a date that worked on the roof, they always knew where I was. So, I was truly impressed with the communication. I’ve been a customer service rep or salesperson my whole life, and I know what it’s like to have a good PR with the public, and they had it. They're just good and I made a good choice.

The first bill I got sorta surprised me. It was higher than I thought it would be. It was like $100 and I wasn’t sure why. 125 to 150 was my normal bill. But even if I had the rental of like 79 bucks and then I got a $100 bill, the next month was 50, and then the next five was free. It apparently caught up and I was getting ahead on the energy. And the first bill I got was 17 cents. So, you pretty much had to get it too before and beat the smile off my face. We’re in a season now to where I’m starting to see some bills, even with the contract with Sunrun, but 30, 40, 50 bucks is still below what I was paying so I’m really happy. And anyone I can talk into it, I’ll do. And the nice thing about going solar was getting a credit card with a $350 bonus on it for referring. They haven't turned it on as they haven't got the final inspection, but it’s all done and the lady is quite thrilled. I recommended them to about 20 people and even posted it on Facebook.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I need to replace my roof. Before I can do that, Sunrun has to remove the system. (They will reinstall it after the new roof is installed.) It has been over a month since I submitted the form and received an estimate. No one has contacted me. I've called and emailed, but no word until last week. I received an email that said they would contact me in 5 days. They did not. I have a roof leak and am being held hostage by my contract. I will NEVER LEASE again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Been contacting them regarding my solar problem for 4 months. They sending an auto reply message that said they will be in touch and that's it. Still waiting for their response. Good luck on getting your system fix with them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I had Sunrun installed in Vista in 2018, they told me I would pay about 15-17 cents per KWH; with 15 panels, my monthly automatic withdraw from my account was $105.00. This means the system should generated roughly 700 KWH/month. Last year my system was down for TWO months of August and September, no power was generated and yet they still collect my money for 2 months without monitoring their system. I called multiple times, I got the bogus excuse that they were too busy. A few weeks later, someone came and fixed it, I was not notified, I just found a small cable on the ground. They didn't even pick up their trash.

When I started seeing high charge from SDG&E, I called Sunrun asking why my system is not producing as guaranteed, there we go again, more bogus excuses and I was passed from one person to another. A week later 2 guys showed up at my house and said I needed more panels and the monthly fees would therefore be higher. I said "HELL NO, until you fix your system or get it off my roof". They left promising that Sunrun will contact me about my complaint. NOTHING, NOBODY CALLED. MORE BROKEN PROMISES.

I called Sunrun again multiple times, I finally met a decent representative who asked me to send a copy of all my SDG&E bills for them to re-evaluate my system. I sent them in the next day, waited for 2 weeks then called the rep, she told me that she had passed (again) my email to another "SUNRUN GHOST" to re-evaluate them and would get back to me. UNTIL TODAY, NO RESPONSE. How long does it really take a person to do the evaluation.

Today folks, based on Sunrun record, my system generate roughly 5000KWH in 2019 and I pay $1308.00/year that is $.26/KWH instead of $17.00 in addition to a total of ~ $500.00 from SDG&E. I used to pay an average of $100.00/month with SDG&E alone. This is totally absurd and ridiculous. I am beyond an unsatisfied customer, I am a mad customer who want Sunrun to remove its worthless system and stop lying to its customer. I seriously not recommend Sunrun to anybody. In fact, my neighbor who knows about Sunrun business conduct has refused to talk to Sunrun rep. Message to Sunrun.. DELIVER YOUR PROMISE OR REMOVE YOUR LOUSY SYSTEM OFF MY ROOF. It is at the very least an ethical act to do.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Throughout the installation there were serious miscommunications, appointment problems, changes in plans, etc. Customer service soon disintegrated. And we were left with a system that doesn't seem to be performing -- but no one is interested in checking it out. They don't seem to have people on staff who actually know how the system works -- or are willing to help. I recommend staying away from these people. There must be better companies out there.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2020

I purchased a home in 2018 with a newer leased solar system. (The lease buyout option presented at the time I purchased my home was over 47k for 2 year old panels, so I continued with the lease option with monthly lease payments of over $115 & climbing.) I live in a district with very reasonable utilities (SMUD) so I knew solar wasn't going to be a huge cost saving option but I was hoping to break even, or save something. The 2 true-ups I've had with my electric company (SMUD), I have owed over $1k each year. I actually pay more in utilities, per month, for solar than I would had it never been installed. Mind you, the lease payments climb considerably over the duration of the lease and production is guaranteed to go down. So within the first 5 years, being in a low to no savings zone really doesn't bode well for the future.

(Fun fact: the previous home owners were 89&90 years old and had a family member sell them solar. THE 89&90 YO HOMEOWNERS DIDN'T EVEN SIGN THEIR OWN CONTRACT- the family member selling them the system signed their name. I have a copy of their original Sun Run contract and have their signatures all over our house sale docs so this can be easily proven.) Fast forward I buy the house anyway and now, I have been trying to get a cost savings analysis completed for 13 months. I have 13 months worth of documented communication attempts, dating back to September 2019. After escalation, a report was finally promised to me on October 9th but yet, here I am on October 30 (13 months) without anything. I know my solar system does not save me money. In fact, it has stopped working in the middle of summer twice the past 2 summers, which dispatches a customer service tech.

The techs have been kind & respectful while on the property but scheduled appointments are always weeks out so the system sits idle for 7 days to 2 weeks in the middle of summer when it should be producing the most. (2 weeks to a month of no production because it happens twice.) And let me mention, we actually replaced the circuit breaker ourselves when a tech couldn't figure it out after his second visit. The customer service team is absolutely horrendous. I don't think there is one. I am very reasonable. I have waited 13 months without complaint but this is outrageous and I am now considering legal options since this has to violate terms of service on their end. One of the perks of a lease, versus outright ownership, is that Sun Run agrees to maintain the system. Well, being able to get a hold of the company is an integral part of maintaining the system. TERRIBLE SERVICE.

Sunrun Company Information