Sunrun

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, HI, MA, MD, NJ, NH, NV, NY, OR, PA, UT and SC.

Compare Solar Energy Companies

Research top Solar Energy Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We got Sunrun solar system installed Feb. 2017. It is still not working properly as of August. They have attempted to send several techs out and each gives a different excuse why it's not working. Meanwhile they have not stopped charging us for the system and we are still paying for our electric bill.

My solar went down on July 17th. They have yet to repair it. They don't care that I am losing money because all they care about is production. They have a guarantee of production. But it is worthless, because they set it so low you would always meet that guarantee. I don't know where to turn. I have contacted the BBB also. Of course I have a contract also I'm signed into so I am stuck.

Sunrun employee was rude, unprofessional, pushy, and rushing my pregnant wife to move her car quickly so they can start their installation because they claim they were on a time budget (maybe that’s why they damage my new roof because of the unprofessional, poorly, rushing the work they perform.) What happen was on the day of the installation, one of the installation crew member knock on our door and told my wife he’s here to install the solar and have her sign some paperwork. He was rude and very pushy. He told her that he is on a time budget and rush her to move her car. When she told him our contractor are working in the back as well, he seems shock and said no one should park on the driveway. The way he talk is very pushy and unprofessional (at least ask nicely). My wife is pregnant and she didn’t has the chance to change our son’s diaper yet.

Every morning she would change his diaper, brush his teeth, apply medication, and feed him before taking him to the baby sitter. Instead of doing that, she quickly sign the paper, bring our son out to the car, and leave because she felt uneasy. She didn’t even have time to pack extra clothing, diaper, medication, or food to bring over to the baby sitter. When I arrived home from work, I check out the new solar and saw that the roof has damages all over. About a dozen or more holes were drilled on the roof (outside of the installation area) and were not patched. I saw a lot of shingle were damage (rip, chip, deep scratches) outside of the installation area. I heard from my crew that they heard stuff being drop on the roof top. The work looks very sloppy, unprofessional, and careless.

I emailed Thomas (project coordinator) and told him what happen. He sent Eddie (supervisor or manager) out to meet with me. After about a week or more, Eddie show up. A few days before he shows up, that morning, it was sprinkling. I was on my way to work and it starting to sprinkling. I call my contractor and told him to patch/fix any major damage to prevent any further damage if it does rain. He has only a handful of shingle left so he replace the one with the most damage first. The rest, he patch with the roofing cement. Before Eddie show up, he called me and I told him that the shingle with the most damage was fixed with new shingle so he won’t be able to see everything. When he arrived at my house, he said he’ll take care of any repair cost. Just send the bill over.

I also said he need to make sure those damage area (outside of the panel installation area) are covered by the penetration warranty as well because there is no need for those damage to happen like that. He agree and he said he’ll draft a letter stating any damage. Sunrun damage will be cover by the penetration warranty as well. He’ll send to me for approval before finalizing it. Before he leave my house, he sound very promising. He said again, don’t worry, he’ll send out a quality control team to double check the work. (No one come out. On the day the electric company come out to install their meter, they said there is no power coming from the panel. I inform Mark (I’m ahead of the story here) and it take them a long time before someone come out to fix the problem.

The power is out as I’m typing this right now and they won’t have it fix for about 2 weeks.) A month went by and I called Thomas asking if he heard anything from Eddie. He said he didn’t hear anything so I told about my meeting with Eddie. Later Thomas said Eddie was on vacation and won’t be back for two weeks. He said he’ll take care of it. He sent out an email to me saying Eddie saw nothing wrong. The panel were installed correctly. I emailed him back telling him that was not true. I never complained about the panel. I complained about the damage shingle outside of the installation area. I even sent him the email on the first day. At this point I was mad so he transfer me to another supervisor/manager, Andrew. He also sound very promising. Over the phone (unrecorded cell phone, I wish it was a recorded line), he said he is the person who can make things happen.

He said things very similar to Eddie. After I re-explain everything to him again. We would call each other back and forth a few time over a period of time. He said he’ll draft a letter to cover the area of damage as well after I explain to him and bring it to me when we meet up. He wanted to come to my house on a weekday but I said I can’t be home. He said he’ll come out and come out again on the weekend (Sunday) to talk with me and my wife and compensate us. I waited the whole day on that Sunday and he never show up. Monday I called him asking why he didn’t show up? He gave me a bunch of excuses. I then asked where is the letter he drafted for me. He then start to give more excuses and said he has to go because his kids is crying and keep asking me over and over if what else can he do for me and deflect my two question.

So I hang up and email him asking the same questions to get some paper trail. His response was amazing. He said that he misunderstood what I was saying/claiming. How can he misunderstood after all the email and a memo from my contractor stating the problem? He said he misunderstood me so he refer me to another person and said from now on I should contact that person only to avoid confusion. They like to play this game where if they can’t deliver what they said, they will toss you around and around. Now I’m talking to Mark (Customer Care). In the first week or so, whenever I called, he would pick up his phone. After I ask him many hard question which he can’t answer and only deflect or answer in a general way which doesn’t help. He start to set his phone to voice mail. I called multiple times per day and if I leave a message early morning, sometime he won’t call back at till the end of the day.

During times I can’t reach him, I call the general Customer Care number and none of them know what happen to me. I have to explain to every one of them what happen over and over again. At this point, it seems to me that they do not communicate with each other. I sent out two message using the apps (Sunrun app) and for over a week I did not get any reply back. I called them up asking why I get no reply. Their respond was, “why didn’t you called?” I never tell them why because I don’t want to tell them the reason. Mark ask me to tell my contractor to send over a proposal. I have him sent one over. Mark’s response was, “did you have your friend help you?” because the price was high. It was an insult. He then have a third person come out to check out my roof again.

This time, Mark said he no longer trust my contractor’s words or my claim anymore because his 3rd guy came out saying my roof is old (5 years old?) and the installation of the solar is perfectly fine. I didn’t want to argue back but just say I never complained about the panel, I complained about the shingle damage around the installation area only. He said our word/claim is not creditable anymore. At this point, all Mark said was if you don’t have the picture of the damage, he can’t help me at all. But the major damage was replaced with new shingle due to the fear of rain back then. My contractor has a memo saying so and I even email him, Thomas, Eddie, and Andrew about it. But he still use that two thing (no original photo and roof is old - according to his 3rd guy) to tell me regardless of what facts I give him. I repeat myself again, what if I have my contractor sent you guys a statement that he was the witness?

Mark just keep saying our claim is no longer creditable and he need to see the before pictures. I just end the conversation there and I actually hire another roofer to do the estimate. His told me that Sunrun crew did a bad job on the installation themselves. I’m still waiting to see what the outcome is. DON’T GO WITH THIS COMPANY.

My friends have solar panel and they love it. When I first moved in my house, I always see my bill about 180-250. Sometimes even over 300. So my friends told me her bill went half down. And also solar is clean and reduce pollution. Therefore I get a consultation with Aaron and Lierh, who speak Mandarin. They are very nice and professional. I have learnt a lot from the consultation. I didn't know what was I paying every month and how to read the utility bill. And during the process, it was easy and fast. The crew wears the shoes cover so that my house didn't get dirty. Their service impresses me. I have nothing to complain and I will definitely recommend my friends to go solar with Sunrun. (Couples of my friends have already gone solar, and they are happy about that.)

I found Sunrun while I shopping in Home Depot. I didn't know there are many options to go solar. In the free consultation, I have learnt a lot about energy and how solar works for my house. Sunrun cares customer's satisfaction much. For Asian customers, they hire a mandarin solar consultant-Lierh to help me. I don't speak English well. So we went thru every step together. If without her assistance, I will still pay more 200 electricity bill. I'm glad that I chose Sunrun.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

I have read some reviews in Consumer Affairs. Some bad reviews and some good reviews. Maybe some people had bad experience. But I believe that Sunrun took care of the customers and solved the problem already. English is not my mother language. But the sale rep Lierh, she helped me a lot. I own a business so I really busy and have no time to deal with all the details. And she is very patient. Every time I have question, she always answers me or finds the answer for me. To be honestly I love what Sunrun provided to me. Their services is good. They are very professional. Sunrun takes care of all the work for me. I have nothing to complain.

I have had SunRun for almost 3 years and they are the worst by far. I am paying more now with solar, saving no money, and it is a constant battle with their customer service who never seem to be doing their job. Read the fine print on their PPAs and BEWARE. They take your Sun and Run with your money; hence the name. So far, I have had to pay almost $300 a month with their lease agreement and still owe Edison every year. I have seen one or two of those $8 & $9 Edison bills, but they do not make up for all of the money I am losing with SunRun. The sales rep was even a friend of mine until we signed up for solar. Now, he quit because of their fraudulent business practices and we are no longer friends despite his remorse.

RUN RUN RUN... What a SCAM this is. First you can deal with numerous companies before you get to the operating company name Sunrun! I dealt with HeliSun who originally contacted me. Now they are going by the name Alternative Electric. We have Arcadia who does the installs. First they covered the stink pipes on my roof and my home is a toxic environment from the fumes! The sales person said it was APS fault for allowing the design... That's FALSE!! They damaged so many concrete tiles on my roof and now I am experiencing leaks. They also FAILED to put locks on their boxes that clearly indicate you can receive ELECTRICAL SHOCKS, mind you they are at a child's level and guess what... It's APS responsibility to install locks also... That's FALSE.

They painted the electrical a hideous color that does not even come close to matching the color of my home! They wanted me to go match the paint, purchase it and they would paint it... Ha ha ha. Now let's get to the bill part. My bill which is normally 225 a month from APS has soared to over 700 my first month. The system is faulty and if you try to reach SunRUN... Good luck! ALL of you need to file a complaint with the AG's office and stop this company from scamming any one else. And if you did a referral... Good luck with the promised refund! I originally researched the company I THOUGHT I was dealing with and after receiving this bill from SunRUN who I had no idea of who they were, all this came to light!!!

When I signed up for Sunrun Solar on my home in the So California desert 4 years ago, the system was installed at no cost (Sunrun received all of the Government incentives, rebates, etc. which seemed fair at the time.) However, my monthly "rental" fee continues to go up annually and I am getting very little electrical power for the price I actually pay. This past month it has been hotter than 100 degrees far more days than not and I paid to Southern California Edison $0.16 per kWh for the first 499 kWh and $0.25 for each kWh above 499. At the same time I pay Sunrun 0.276 for EACH kWh. Thank goodness the Sunrun system can only produce 225 kWh per month (seems to me it was not properly sized for my desert home) or I could be buying more kWh from Sunrun at rates that significantly exceed those of SoCal Edison. CONSUMER BEWARE!

We went through Costco and purchased REC Solar, SunRun took over REC and we have had a big problem with them. Our solar console had a red light indicating "startup". We called SunRun and they certainly gave us the runaround. We have had this problem for about a month now and we are going through the hottest months of the year with 105 degree temperatures. These are the months the solar should be working. We called about a month ago and they said they were so busy, they could come out for repairs on July 17th. They seem to love getting new buyers, but once the system is up, repairs are limited or nonexistent.

I was informed by Sunrun 2 weeks ago that 1 house was not producing any solar energy and that a tech would check the system - 2 days ago the SUBCONTRACTOR they hired called & was going to check system & for sure would let me know (NOT DONE) I found out from Arcadia Solar that it again was the Inverter - same as last year. It took 1 month to fix last time with over a %500.00 bill from APS + the solar bill.

I received an e-mail from Sunrun today that my Other house's solar panels are not producing also - same message tech would call me. I spoke to them on phone today and told them it was costing me WAY more to have solar than through APS where I could have been on budget plan proved that to Sunrun (but of course they said I was wrong). I AM GOING TO GO TO THE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE WITH COMPLAINT & ALSO THE NEWS STATION. This lease has to stop. Arizona is the most dishonest place to purchase anything. Sorry I moved from Washington state. Don't get solar.

The Sunrun representative appeared helpful and friendly. However he recommended a purchase plan that would allow me a rebate and helped determine how long it would take to get to the point I would be ahead based on the rebate amount. He helped me get the cost of PGE for a year and said it would take about 6 years. However, when I asked Sunrun for the paperwork to get a refund I found out I would not get a rebate with the method recommended and when I complained I was told by Sunrun I should have read the contract.

When I told them I went paragraph by paragraph with the rep and asked about the paragraph that said Sunrun would own the panels. He said this was because they would maintain the system for 20 years but I would get the rebate. I feel they lied to me and I complained to the police department but they said this was a civil matter. I received a bill but was told by the rep to not pay it since the system was not installed and that he would come by so that I could pay. Since I found out the rep had lied he said he was changing companies and never came for the payment.

I have so many issues with this company it's unreal. Sunrun promised my payments would be under $200 a month. Wrong $221. Sunrun promised my electric bill would be $8 or $9 a month. Wrong $110 to $235 a month. Sunrun promised critter control. Wrong. Sunrun promised $350 for a referral. Wrong. Referred my brother. Nothing! I have all the text with the promised on them and the representative said that he never promised me any of that. So I guess the customer was lying?! This is my question via text: "Hi Scott. This is Stevan **. I spoke to you today about solar. I wanted to know if Sunrun covers and installs the cost to put up pigeon defense guard." This is from the representative. "Ok so basically we don't cover it as far as if anyone asks you we do not cover that, but our customer care team will cover it for you when we get to that point. I confirmed with my manager."

I should never have gone with Sunrun in the first place. We had issues with them from the get-go. They would not answer my questions, call me back, and straight-up lied to me. They finally contacted me after filing a complaint with Costco. We canceled everything but smooth-talked me into using them anyway with no other compensation than to hold up their end of the deal. Now 1 yr later, we had a bad storm and lost 2 panels. I have been trying to get in touch with them for over a month. I even went far up the chain to ask for help scheduling the R&R. They also sent technicians out to my house unannounced TWICE now. The last guy was trying to replace the broken panels before the roof had even been removed. I told him no and sent him away.

As soon as I canceled my order I was flooded with calls and emails. The Sunrun representative told me that, "I made his technician feel dumb". I personally called the technician to apologize and feel as though the representative was using his own team member as a scapegoat. I cannot blame the poor employees because they are not trained at all and they are just doing what they are told to do. This company is completely backward and has more people dedicated to recovering lost customers than they do trying to serve them adequately in the first place. We found another company that only required one phone call and a few minutes of my time. They are so much cheaper and have higher quality products.

Before I had the panels installed I asked the salesman "what if I need a new roof before the 20 years"? I was told "No problem. You just call and we'll remove them and reinstall after the roof is done". I said "ok. As long as it doesn't cost me a penny to have the panels installed or removed or maintained go ahead with the install".

Now about 2 years later I get another salesman come and tell me I need a new roof. I call Sunrun to come and remove the panels, the guy says, "Ok no problem, It's $500.00 to remove the panels". I said, "NO WAY"! He said, "Yes and $100.00 per panel". I said, "NO WAY! I MUST HAVE ABOUT 12 PANELS!" He said, "Sorry but that's what it is. $500.00 and $100.00 per panel and you have 24 panels!" Again NO WAY!!! I was told nothing about money to remove the panels for a new roof! I said, "Ok then get the panels off the roof. I want to end the service". "Ok you have to buy the panels."

I can't get to talk to anybody else but the people that answer the phone. They did give me the number for our salesman, all I get there is, the party is not accepting phone calls at this time, please try later. That's the last 3 days same recording. I would not recommend Sunrun or any solar company at this time. But if you do want to go ahead and get solar make sure you do not need a roof first!

I am so happy I never went through with the 20-year headache with Sunrun. Our salesman was really slimy. Firstly he said the lease was free. Then he said if your electric meter was old, Sunrun would replace it up to $4000. He said if there is a power outage that your battery would your power on while all your neighbors are in the dark. He said if you ever had to reroof that Sunrun would take off and reinstall for $500. And now for the truth folks. The lease is not free. It is 100-160 dollars a month depending. Sunrun will not replace your meter, it is a lie. Your power during a power outage is not guaranteed. And lastly reinstallment if you reroof is $2500, not $500. Our salesman name was Matthew **.

Sunrun won't install mesh wire around the solar panels to prevent birds and pigeons from nesting under panels on top of the roof. They are aware of the issue as many customers including myself experience massive bird droppings in the yard which is unhealthy and requires daily cleaning. Pigeons love solar panels on tile roof. It would be cheap to install pest guard at the same time when solar panels are installed. Now with pigeons nesting under solar panels my roof is full of them and all over the roof. I need to install pest guard to protect the solar panels and install bird spikes at various sections of the roof at an approximate quote of $2000+.

Sunrun never mentioned of potential problem like this and all what they said that I may need to wash panels once a year to keep them clean. Furthermore, they will not pay for the pest guard that is needed to keep pigeons from going under their panels. Sunrun stated that they never demanded of me to have the solar panels installed on my roof as if they have given me choices of where to put them. Anyone interested in installing solar panels should request to have them install the pest guard also. I will not recommend Sunrun for your business.

I had a young sales rep that was walking around my neighborhood and he came on knocked on my door. His name was Mark. He was very polite and enthusiastic. I had been inquiring about Solar and he made it make even more sense to me. He was with me the entire step of the way, and the customer service over at Sunrun was phenomenal. I have already sent in referrals from neighbors. None of us have had any problems. Glad Mark came around.

I have had solar for two and a half years now. Up until March of this year, there were no major issues. In March, my system went dark. Then up sporadically, and down again. The technician who came out discovered that squirrels had built a nest under the panels, and chewed through the wires of two of the panels. He cleared the nest debris, disconnected the shorted out panels and told us that the panels would be replaced and that they needed to return to place a Critter Guard on the panels. To date, nothing has been done, the squirrels are back and the system goes up and then down sporadically as before.

BTW, this is May 2017. After speaking with a representative, I was told that someone from their Customer Service would call me within 5 days to schedule another tech visit. I won't hold my breath! I know the drill. They wouldn't let me speak to the Escalation Department either. I was also told that they no longer provide Critter Guards, but I could get them through their contractor for $1800! I don't own these panels, they are leased! So... Since that's how they want to play this game, I am going to alert every homeowner in my neighborhood who has solar from them about the issue. I am also going to notify my local politicians about the problem and warn others to avoid Sunrun. In my neighborhood as I'm sure in others, the squirrels are running amok, causing lots of damage to homes. I'm glad I am involved in the Community activities where I live and I'm going to make a lot of noise about this, as this is NOT acceptable.

We are currently paying more per month after signing a contract with this company. And told if we would like enough panels to cover the actual amount of solar we need we would be required to sign an additional contract at another 20 years... Absolutely horrible. We are so sorry we did not research this better.

This company is misleading and has terrible customer service. When the salesperson was at our home, we made it very clear that our plan in the short-term was to rent out our home and this solar agreement/billing would need to transfer over to the renter. We were told that would not be an issue, that Sunrun had an entire team dedicate to service transfers. What he didn't say was that they will only transfer it to another homeowner, not a renter. And, because they won't transfer the solar portion, the electric company that we have to use for the remainder of our power will not transfer service to the renter either. So, we have over $300 in solar and electric bills that are in our name, and we have to hope every month that the renter will pay us back for these expenses in a timely manner, potentially affecting our credit or cash flow.

In addition to that issue, the company feels it is OK to waste a customer's time. They set-up an inspection of our home prior to install, which was supposed to include attic work and getting on the roof. I had to take a day off to be there for that inspection, but when the tech got there he only completed the attic work and said he would have to come back out another day for the roof piece because it was getting ready to rain, but he told us that because he had completed the inside review that nobody needed to be at the home for the roof inspection. About a week later, I got a call from a different technician saying he was going to leave my house and I would have to wait about 2 weeks to reschedule, because I was not at home for the inspection that I was specifically told I didn't need to be there for.

When I called the tech, he said there was no record of a previous inspection and their dispatcher should have told me to be there. I called their dispatcher and they said the prior person left the company and there was confusion in his notes so they needed to do the full review, meaning I now had to take a second day off. He said he could get the tech back out to my home, due to the inconvenience. So, I took the day off, and waited around all day the following day, and nobody showed up. When I called to find out what was going on, I had to leave a message, and the install supervisor called me back to say he personally was going to come out and complete the inspection. So, I took a third day off for this inspection, which actually got completed after all that.

But then we scheduled the install, and we were told they would be on site the entire day but they would complete work that same day. The install team left at 2pm on the first day without work complete, so we had to be around for a second day, that was unplanned. Afterward they knocked a bunch of debris off my roof and didn't bother to clean-up when they left. Then came the inspection of the work performed. Again, I had to take two days off for this because nobody showed up the first day. Additionally, good luck getting in touch with someone in a timely manner. Anytime I have called the numbers provided for after services after install (billing, account info, etc.) I have to wait on hold an average of 15 minutes before talking to someone and even then they aren't able to help.

I recently became aware of squirrels nesting under the solar panels from the sounds of the scratching on the roof. I got the same nonsense reply as Eric of Colonia, NJ, wait for damage to the system. I asked to be escalated to a supervisor who repeated the information. I can't continue to be subjected to the clawing and scraping on the roof and it is a matter of time before the squirrels penetrate the roof. I asked to be escalated again to her supervisor and I was refused. I was told they used to install Critter Guard but the policy was changed a year ago and now they would send me a quote. There goes any financial benefit of solar. The environment was created by the installation of the panels and it's a known issue as you have the Critter Guard solution.

I continued to argue for an opportunity to escalate my issue to a manager and was refused. I said I want the panels removed and was told to get a lawyer. The customer rep reviewed the system production and saw some red flags but the earliest appt I could get is two weeks away just for a tech to inspect. That's two weeks of scraping and clawing. What is there to inspect? The problem exists and the company should address it. "No fast-talking disclaimers. No lawyers required. Our guarantee is simple." NOT TRUE.

I am not an electrician, nor am I a professional in anything electricity related. But I do know bad customer service and poor business practices. Ever since I've had Sunrun installed in my house, I've already had... now let's count... 30 power outages. This is not over several years, but since February of 2017! That's 3 months folks! I've had Sunrun technicians look at the situation, and even the local electric co, who still provide us with a nice bill every month, to come and inspect our clearly faulty unit. Sunrun's observation? Didn't hear a word from them. They didn't even get back to me. Strike one. They simply looked at the unit, and flew back from wherever they came from. I can not comprehend how a business like Sunrun can afford to carry on this way!

If I really cared about my "newly established" 20 year relationship with a client, I am going to go out of my way to make sure all the kinks are worked out within the first few days of any issues. It's now May and the problem has gotten worse. More frequent blackouts, strike two. I was starting to have my regrets by the way they were handling what seems to be a simple issue. So anyways, after "I" reached out to them to sort out their findings, I was told that we should contact our local electric company because they saw no fault on their part. So that is when I reached out to the electric co. They came out the same day and after making their assessment, said it was not something they were responsible for but an issue with Sunrun. So now, I'm feeling like the idiot caught in the middle of this overblown issue.

Look, we've never had any of these issues prior to Sunrun. So if after Sunrun has been installed, and we are dealing with constant blackouts, wouldn't it seem that Sunrun should be held accountable for controlling this issue? Or shouldn't they at least care?! I am desperate because I'm so tired of going outside barefoot to turn back on the tripped breaker. This is ridiculous. Very unhappy with Sunrun thus far. Oh and btw, soon after our solar panels were installed, I received a follow up email from a customer feedback representative. After writing him a detailed correspondence of the frequent blackouts we were experiencing the first month of activation, I never received a response. Strike three. Which has led me to this website. I felt obligated to my fellow solar prospects, to share my experiences.

We're off to a wonderful 20 year relationship. I have many other homeowner friends that are interested in panels. How can I recommend Sunrun after all that I've been through and still going through? I just CANNOT recommend this company at this moment. And it is going to take a lot to persuade me otherwise. My power literally just went out again as I write this. Hilarious.

Pigeons and squirrels have been nesting under my solar panels. I could not find a company that would fix the problem because they were afraid of damaging the solar panels. But the people who did come out for an estimate did say they expect either the panels to be damaged and or the roof to be damaged because of the significant infestation and recommended I contact Sunrun immediately to correct the problem. I contact Sunrun and was told I would have to pay $1,800 for a CritterGuard to be installed thereby wiping out any potential solar savings I would ever get from the panels. I explained this was a lease and they were responsible for maintenance as it says in the contract. The sales rep agreed but said that only covers damages, so if I want sunrun people to come out I have to wait for my roof and/or panels to get damaged by the animals then they would come out.

As it stands now, I am waiting for the animal damage to get bad enough for sunrun people to come out and fix the situation. I dont expect it to be too long, but it’s ridiculous that they wont pay for prevention damage and be responsible for the problems their panels cause but wait until the problem worsens to take action. I have personally deterred dozens of people from buying solar panels because of all these issues and more. I have never been satisfied by their customer care or service.

When we had our panels installed about 6 years ago, we did our due diligence and had our roof checked before getting panels installed. Unfortunately, due to a manufacture's defect in the shingles, we are having to replace our roof much sooner than the 20 years expected (the life of the solar lease). When we first got our panels, we were told by the salesperson that taking the panels off isn't a big deal even if the roof needs to be replaced. Being young and naive, we didn't read the contract carefully enough or compare it to other companies closely enough. Now we not only have to deal with an unexpected $6000 cost for a new roof but an additional $2500 for Sunrun to take off and replace the panels. I wouldn't call almost an additional 50% in the cost of a new roof "not a big deal."

I was really outraged, though, when I found out from my neighbors and verified in a Solar City contract that Solar City charges a flat fee of $499 for the same service (removal and replacement during a roof replacement). This leads me to believe that Sunrun is using my misfortune to make extra money (rather than just covering costs), even though they have already made lots of money from me, a loyal customer of many years. Overall all this time, I haven't had any other issues with Sunrun, just consistent solar power and little drama, but this has ruined the whole experience for me. Do yourself a favor and go with Solar City--they seem to care about their customers more.

A sales rep in NJ named Justin came to my door, not only was he very polite but the system works great. Not only are the panels way nicer than I thought, but the amount I'm saving on my energy bill is a no brainer! Phenomenal. Highly recommended!

It took almost 2 years to get a system installed. Very friendly people when you call but nothing gets done. No one calls backed when they say they will. Now to present time system is up and running and the billing start the first time. I got a email bill. I got 13 in one day. Each one different amounts from $100 to $1200. Monthly due is $116. The due amount on Sunrun app changes daily. Called and get runaround from the friendly folks on the phone and more friendly folks and on and on. Nothing gets done. They talk and pass you to the next person & on and on talk about "past due". It's the first bill how is it past due (late) on a new system. First bill sent (13 of them) due end of this month and it's past due. Looking like it's going to be a fight for 20 years. I think solar is a great thing. Just STAY AWAY From SUNRUN! Very friendly people on the phone but they work for a very poor company.

After the panels were installed, we experienced heavy rains. I saw a leak in one of our bedrooms and asked Sunrun to follow up. This is because there was no leaks prior to the installation and nobody went up on the roof. The technician who came went to attic and roof, said that he could not see anything as it was not raining. They asked me to call them back when it was raining. I followed up on rainy day and two technicians came the day it was raining. They arrived late and it's raining very heavily so we agreed with a handshake that they would send a roofer to inspect and that Sunrun would pay for it. This was in November. Now Sunrun is refusing to do anything and has closed the ticket and informed me that I was liable. What was the evidence that led to that decision? That is not clear. Sunrun has not kept its word. I will also inform Costco about the poor follow up and Sunrun not keeping its word.

My husband was told by the "Salesman" from Premier Solar, that we would get money back because of our location and the amount of solar energy that our Sunrun panels would produce. Panels were installed at the beginning of November 2016. I just paid APS approximately $75 for my March electric bill. This payment, along with the cost of our monthly solar panel lease from Sunrun, exceeds $250, which is more than what I was paying APS per month WITHOUT SUNRUN's SOLAR PANELS. I called so called "Salesman". He said to just email him the information and he would take care of it because obviously something was wrong. NOTHING is being done. Haven't heard a thing from the salesman or from SUNRUN to investigate. Sunrun solar is a SCAM.

The issues with Sunrun started when they reinstalled my existing panels and installed new ones. They improperly installed my old system, leaving it inoperable. They came back and reinstalled it. A few months after I got them installed, I received my weekly summary of power usage from the electric company to learn that my energy usage went from -62KW the week before to 84KW that week. I learned that the new system tripped the power breaker on the electrical box. I called Sunrun and they returned my call to tell me that they were opening a ticket.

One week... no return calls and no one came out to look at the problem. I called back in a week and was told that there was no ticket open and, "If you would have called us we could have done some troubleshooting, but you never called". I had no idea I was supposed to call them because they opened a ticket! In addition, I asked why no one contacted me to let me know my system was down for 10 days, even though they are supposed to monitor the production. He told me that I was supposed to monitor my own system and let them know if there is a problem. I later learned that they are in fact supposed to monitor the system, but failed to do so.

This customer service rep did some troubleshooting with me and had me power down the system. He told me, "I think I know what the problem is and I will open a ticket... Someone will contact you within 24 hours". Well, another week went by and no call, so I called them back. The customer service rep today told me that both tickets had been closed out and he doesn't know why the last customer service rep told me it would be 24 hours; these issues take 5-7 days to resolve. He said that it is producing fine and there is no reason to come out. Again, I was told that I need to monitor my own system through Sunrun or through the power company. I am stuck with dealing with this company for the next 20 years with a system that is apparently improperly installed and horrible, rude customer service. Please save yourself a headache and stay away from Sunrun!

Sunrun Company Profile