2. Solar Energy

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.76/5

Sunrun sells and leases customized residential solar energy systems and its Brightbox battery storage service in 20 states. Customers can own or lease a system with $0 down. Sunrun offers free energy consultations and quotes. Over 250,000 homes across the U.S. have gone solar with Sunrun, according to the company.

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (5)
BOTTOM LINE

Sunrun offers personalized home solar energy system design, with the option to lease or purchase with monthly payments. Customers are generally satisfied with their solar systems, but some say the initial cost was high.

PROS
  • Flexible payment options
  • Daily system monitoring
  • Warranty with complete coverage
CONS
  • Limited price transparency
  • Not available in all states

Top Sunrun Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Sunrun is the best solar company you can find out there. They are very cost effective compared to other solar companies out there. I am very happy with my purchase and would refer anyone there.

… My solar system is producing as much as our Sunrun rep promised us. We are very happy and satisfied with the service. Sunrun offers several solar options, we decided to go with the lease program…

What is Sunrun?

Sunrun is a residential solar panel company that designs, installs, finances, monitors, maintains and insures its systems. It customizes home systems based on energy usage history, the customer’s design preferences and the roof space, using an automated site modeling tool that profiles roof characteristics like shading, pitch and sun exposure.

As of the time of publishing, in 19 of the 20 states where it sets up solar energy systems, Sunrun also offers its Brightbox battery service to new customers. Brightbox provides eight to 12 hours of backup electricity in case of an outage.

Sunrun provides a “bumper-to-bumper” warranty on all solar equipment, which features free repairs and replacement of equipment, including parts and labor. Sunrun monitors customers’ systems daily to make sure they're performing optimally and includes full insurance coverage that covers theft and damage.

Sunrun cost

The average cost for a solar energy system ranges from $15,000 to $29,000, but Sunrun’s prices are sometimes higher than other solar energy providers because of the technology it uses. Fill out a form on its website to get a free solar energy consultation and quote. Sunrun partners with Costco to make solar panels available to its members at lower prices.

There are multiple ways to pay for a Sunrun system, with eligible customers able to go solar for $0 down. Sunrun offers monthly leases (BrightSave Monthly), full leases (BrightSave Prepaid, a power purchase agreement), purchases with financing (BrightAdvantage) and full purchases (BrightBuy). The monthly lease option is the customer favorite, according to Sunrun.

Sunrun takes care of paperwork, permits and installation, whether you lease or buy.

Sunrun installations

Sunrun customizes solar system installations based on factors like a customer’s energy usage history and a home’s roof. Solar advisors use a proprietary design technology, BrightPath, to analyze your home and energy needs.

Once you and Sunrun finalize the design, Sunrun submits all necessary paperwork for approval from your local government.

Once the system is approved, installation starts. Installation can take from one to five days. After installation is complete, the crew foreman explains how the system works and shows you how to power it on.

Your local government must inspect and approve the system before you can connect it to the grid. The utility company installs a net meter so Sunrun can track how much solar electricity you produce and use. Upon approval from the utility company, you can begin using your solar panels. The entire process can take several months to complete. A Sunrun project coordinator can give you an approximate timeline.

Sunrun warranty

All of Sunrun’s solar plans come with a “worry-free” warranty, which covers equipment repairs and replacement, including parts and labor. Sunrun installations also come with a roof warranty that guarantees any roof penetrations remain watertight for 10 years.

When you lease a solar energy system from Sunrun, all maintenance costs are covered. If you purchase a Sunrun system, you're responsible for maintenance costs and any repairs that aren’t covered by the warranty.

Sunrun FAQ

Where is Sunrun available?
Sunrun is available in the following states, as well as in Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.
  • Arizona
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Vermont
  • Wisconsin
What solar panels does Sunrun use?
Sunrun uses LG solar panels, such as the NeON 2. LG solar panels are made of monocrystalline cells, which are known for higher efficiency and slower degradation.
Where are Sunrun solar panels made?
Sunrun solar panels are manufactured in South Korea.
What is the Sunrun app?
The Sunrun app, mySunrun, allows you to see how much energy your system is producing, along with system features and billing information. It is available for Apple and Android devices.
What is Sunrun’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel or make changes to your Sunrun solar agreement within 21 days of signing the contract as long as it’s before the installation date.
Who owns Sunrun?
Sunrun was co-founded by CEO Lynn Jurich in 2007. It is a publicly traded company with significant capital investments from Pacific Gas and Electric Company and Sequoia Capital.
Where is Sunrun headquartered?
Sunrun is based in San Francisco.

Is Sunrun a good company?

We like that Sunrun guides clients through the design and installation process. The company strives to offer the easiest and smartest way to join the clean energy revolution. Solar energy systems with Brightbox battery service give you more than savings — they also give you control of your electricity, letting you save power to use during peak times or when there’s an outage.

Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: July 6, 2020

Two years ago I had a $1,000 electric bill in August. It was a really hot month. I had been thinking about going solar for a long time and that was finally the last straw that broke the camel's back. I looked at a lot of different companies. I went to Costco and Sunrun was one of their vendors. We trusted Costco with a lot of things, so I thought that if I'd have any kind of issue, I could always fall back on Costco. It was pretty pleasant to deal with them. The guy came out and surveyed the house. Then about three weeks later, they came out and did the installation. They were done in one day so it was pretty painless. They put a battery in and they have this software monitoring that can be downloaded to keep an eye on the system. Also, Sunrun did the solar loan and they arranged it for me. It was so transparent.

Sunrun estimated the number of panels that they'd put up based on my usage. San Diego Gas & Electric is my utility provider and since I'm on net metering, they send me a little summary of my weekly use. I didn't get the solar system installed until October and then right away, we had a real rainy November and December. So, I didn't really get that much benefit out of it. I ended up paying about a $290 bill when I trued-up in November. Then this year, I started the same way so I just went ahead and paid the $200 bill. But right now, I am even and it looks like I'll probably actually get a little money back this year as opposed to a $1,000 electric bill in August. I've been very happy about that.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 2, 2020

Sunrun worked out good. They did what they were supposed to do and have done a good job of installation. I did not need to make any payments to them initially but every year, it goes up by 2%. Last year was $41. So, now, it is $43. It's a 20-year lease, so after 20 years, I can buy the system for whatever the price at the time.

However, a new panel has to be approved by them. Also, initially, they had given me a 20-year warranty on the roof and 20 years on the sun panels then they said they'd give me 20 years on the solar panels but only 10 years on the roof. Once you put this thing on top, there are holes that will be created. But I think I won't have a problem because I went up one time to see and everything looks very professional.

Their customer service is somewhat okay. Sometimes, it takes them longer to get things done and sometimes they don't do what they say. They told me that if I give them new customers, they'll give $350 to me and $350 to the new customer. I gave them couple of names. They both got Sunrun, but Sunrun did not give any money to me or them. Also, the sales staff talk a little bit more than what they can deliver and they keep on changing. They have 100 emails with me. Who has got the time to read all that? Also, the documents are so complicated. If they are somewhat easier, then it will be a lot better.

Everybody should get a solar panel so we are cutting down the carbon footprint. We use green power. That's the best way to do it. In my subdivision, there are several people who are thinking about getting it. They talked to me and asked, "Are you happy? It's a year now." I told them I'm happy. My bill has gone down substantially. Last month, it was only $7. In January when there was not much sun, it was $64. That is a difference.

Original review: June 27, 2020

I was just not bowled away with the whole Tesla choice. It seemed overwrought to me. My daughter's a big environmentalist and was nagging me, so I thought, "Okay, why not?” Also, I like that with Costco, you got more of a warranty and the rebate, and I like Costco. The salesman that came to my house was really informative. He was pretty helpful. But I already made up my mind. He walked in and I told him I wouldn't do it unless there was battery backup, and there was. The installation was okay. I had a problem where it caused a leak in the roof and it was raining horribly when I found it. I called Sunrun and I had to get a little pissy about that, but they sent a painter out to repaint my kitchen that day and he was great. I'd use him again.

My only complaint is that when it was presented to me with the battery backup that I had to pick four circuits for it, I didn't pick the right ones because I wasn't aware of a couple things about how my house worked. For instance, I have a tankless water heater and it didn't occur to me to put that on as the backup. And now, I don't have hot water when there's a power outage. I talked to them but it can't be changed. That was pretty disappointing. Maybe I should have been given more time to think about it, or needed some more information. That's my biggest complaint. Also, at that time which was a year ago, the Tesla Powerwall wasn't an option. Now it is, and I'm also disappointed about that. But at the time when I did it, I thought that this would be enough capacity.

Also, I was asked at the time if I would ever add an electric car. At the time, I said no. And since then, I bought one, a Tesla, and I thought the system would be a little more nimble if I wanted to add more capacity, but apparently it's a bigger deal. I can't blame Sunrun for those because I didn't think it through well enough. But so far, I'm okay.

Original review: June 11, 2020

Going solar was something I was contemplating. As far as energy is concerned, I was convinced it was a way for me to reduce my cost, granted it was done intelligently. And I thought that it would improve the value of my house on the market if I was selling it. But I was avoiding it because of the upfront costs that I couldn't afford. Then, when Sunrun contacted me, they convinced me to go with them because of the program that resolved the issue of the upfront money. I was very satisfied with the enrollment all the way. Communication was great and I was not pressured. And I was clearly explained what would happen, when it would happen, and what it would imply for me.

At the time it was installed, it was done well and quickly, that it corresponded to what I expected. They even fixed, free of charge, the roof on which the solar panels were going. Then, we had a trying experience that made it possible for me to appreciate their after-installation service much more. About two weeks after the installation was operational, the house got hit by a thunderstorm and it caused several damages to the house. I was lucky there was no fire, but we discovered that four out of the 14 panels had been burnt by the strike. They were the ones that noticed it because they constantly monitor my output to make sure the installation is working well which is something very unusual. They alerted me that I was not producing what was expected and they sent a crew who identified the issue, ordered new panels, and came later on to replace those panels. They were really, really beyond the call of duty.

Also, now that I have used my financial credit, I pay the connection fee to Vermont Electric, but I am not paying any kilowatts because I am manufacturing enough and I get a credit that can be used in bad months this winter. Financially speaking, it is a real benefit. And I noticed with such amusement that since I had my solar panel installed, two other houses in my neighborhood decided it was the right thing to do. It is kind of satisfying.

Original review: June 3, 2020

I had been looking into solar for quite a while and I had a couple guys come over and give me a demonstration. When Sunrun came and knocked on my door, I liked the presenter. He wasn’t forceful nor was he trying to act like I didn’t know what I was talking about. He listened and I listened to him. His presentation was solid and I liked their product, so I went with him. Costco was also backing it, so that confirmed it for me. I was told the process was going to be a bit longer than it actually took, so I wouldn’t be too anxious for it. I’m a salesman, so we always say, “under promise, over produce,” and when the guy came in, he was in and out. He got it done and the process didn’t take long. It was very simple and they did a very clean job as well.

All in all, everything was a smooth process and it wasn’t a pressure situation. Everything worked according to clockwork. In the long term, it’s going to be a great benefit to me as far as the savings are concerned. From where I live, my energy bill is high in the summertime and I was able to see savings on my electricity bill. Plus, the energy is green.

Original review: April 8, 2021

Inherited our system and contract when we purchased our current home in 2013. Had not dealt with solar prior to moving to here, and were required to assume the contract in order to purchase the home. Solar bills have been extremely high and do not cover our normal electric usage. The Kwh rates on the contract are much higher than the current Kwh rates from the utility, and are escalating at 2.9% annually. We pay upwards of $400/month during the summer to Sunrun and still have a true-up bill exceeding $700 per year.

Our electrical usage is not obscene. Most lighting in the house is LED, thermostat set at 80 deg in the summer. We have contacted Sunrun to see if there is anything that can be done to modify the contract, and the response has been poor at best. We did receive some communication initially. They requested true up bills in order to perform an analysis, and said they would see if they can adjust the contract. This was in September 2020, and we have yet to receive anything back. Have called and emailed the person assigned to our case, and she has not responded at all.

Contacted the general customer service line, and they directed us to the case worker. We stated that she has not responded to repeated calls/emails. They stated to try her again. Now we have received an email from general customer service that she has not contacted us because the case is closed. I do not understand how the case can be closed when nothing was done! I would not recommend Sunrun to anyone at this point. They know they have us locked into a bad contract and they do not need to respond.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I had my system installed in 2012, so I have tons of data to support what I am saying. Unfortunately, I feel like I was an early adopter to this technology for residential use. I pay for what my panels produce. My rate goes up annually through the term of a 20 year contract. They maintain the system and what I don't use is 'sold back to the grid'. Salesman sold hard on the 'savings' that the system would create by not paying the ridiculous Tier 3 rates from SCE. I now pay more than SCE Tier 3 rates for every KwH that my system produces, but I sell the energy I don't use back at Tier 1 or less. I really only noticed this after an extensive deep dive into my costs.

I had another rep. from Sunrun come to my house and 'offer' to make my system right by having a second expanded system added to my roof. They would not combine the systems, so it meant another inverter, meter and wiring running on the side of my home, not the greatest. Meanwhile, the 'new' system would be a fixed rate that is MUCH lower than my current rate (lower than SCE Tier 1). I understand that I have signed a contract and that the terms (no matter how shady and hidden they were) were in there somewhere. I was completely willing to add to my system, sign a new contract, and be a life long Sunrun customer....all I asked is for them to fix the current systems per KwH rate. I spoke to salespeople, customer service both on phone and in email.

They completed a cost savings analysis that ultimately showed a breakeven at the current rate (though there is still 10 more years of increases to come). I thought any company in their right mind would be willing to make the whole system right for maintaining good customer rapport. They were not. I got an extremely curt email from Angel **, basically saying 'you signed it, so deal with it' so I did. Here's where it gets tricky, my system all of a sudden 'went down' for the past 2 months. When I analyze my usage of all power directly coming from SCE versus the same time last year over these two months. I find that somehow the amount I am consuming from SCE has hardly changed. I'm not selling anything back, because I have no system production.

Because I have no production, I am not paying anything to Sunrun and my overall electrical cost has been cut in half! There is literally no way any rep. or anyone else could explain this away. Basically, it seems like I pay Sunrun for all my production and yet still pay SCE for all my consumption. I have crunched these numbers 50 different ways and tried to look at them to come to another conclusion, but there is no way to do that. If anyone from Sunrun would like to sit down with me and work on a solution that truly represents exceeding customer expectation, I would be more than happy to. If not, I just have a sneaky suspicion that my system will never work right again.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: March 15, 2021

Had a system with battery backup installed. Paid over $43k for the system, right off the bat it was not working. Lost almost a month with no power while they ordered new parts. A year later and we are having the same issue once again. Hasn’t produced power since January. I called them and they were surprised. So much for monitoring our system. Asked to have it expedited, can’t even send a tech out till late April. Customer service is a non existent. They promise the world when they’re selling you and quickly disappear afterwards. Costco should be embarrassed to be affiliated with such a company.

Hello Salvador,

Thank you for your feedback. At this time we have reached out to our Field Service department regarding this situation and have provided additional details through a direct message.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Sunrun has sent their roof repair people twice, and the roof is still leaking. Sunrun is giving me the run around saying that they are self insured and the claims go through a company called Sedgwick. In short, 4 years later they are still refusing to fix their mistakes, and I have a huge tarp on my roof covering the solar panels, needless to say the panels are not producing because they are covered. My recommendation, if you cannot go with any other company other than Sunrun, avoid solar, or wait for a more reputable solar company.

Hello David,

Our records indicate that our Field Service Team has been in contact with you regarding the roof situation. We will be following-up with a Private Response with additional information.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Continual delays in getting our home solar system up and running. Multiple delays after initial system install. Into the third month since install now, still without working solar power. This has been one of the worst decisions we have made. All of the solar credit that we would have accumulated during the winter months for credit in future months has now gone by...no solar generated, no credits available...and summer is coming! Beware solar!

Hello George,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please be advised that we will be providing your feedback to the appropriate parties and will provide additional information through a Private Response.

Sunrun Company Information