toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Sunrun

Thank you for your communication, Mr. Bradley. Delivering a simple, honest, and worry-free customer experience is our drive! It's why understanding each homeowner's expectations, and providing the necessary guidance at every step are so important. To understand you didn't receive this standard is disheartening! That's why, we're grateful you gave us this chance to discuss things over the phone, and have provided us this opportunity to turn your experience around!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Since day one nothing but a nightmare with this company. Took 6 months to have panels installed. As soon as they were my circuit breakers kept going off. Losing power each time. Called Sunrun given the run around right off the bat. I was told it was my problem and to hire an electrician and put in a new electrical box. I said you have been evaluating my house for the last 6 months and now after the fact it's my problem. Unreal. Two months back and forth with intermittent electrical power, loss of food in my refrigerator, no use of washer and dryer. Told them to take their panels down. Still getting same bill from PSEG and their bill on top of that. Countless promises they will never keep. Outright lies about energy production. No customer service whatsoever. This company is a nightmare... Stay away.

We purchased Solar system from Sunrun via Costco, you will think a company that Costco choose is trustworthy, how wrong we were. Good: Sales meeting and installation went very quickly, we were showed it will take less than 7 years to get our investment back; and promising the system is guaranteed as long as we own it.

Bad: Right after the installation, we noticed the system is not producing according to what's promised (15% of the spec). I call the installation representative, she told me (I'm quoting here) "You bought it, it's your problem". I talked to the Costco sales representative, he escalated up to management, and promised will take care of it. Long story short, I spent 3 months meeting with their various technicians to take the measurements of my system, and talking to different offices. They sent me a new plan to fix, which required adding a few more panels, and an installation date was set. I thought my problem is going to be fixed.

The very next day, I got a call from their corporate office saying my is performing bad expected, they won't be coming to do the fix! I told him what system is producing (which is 15% of the spec), and asked him, how is that meeting the spec? He asked where I got the measurement from. I told him directly from my inverter and also the app, and confirmed by their technician who came to my house. I have never heard back from this corporate guy. They are sending a manager from their local office to show me that my system is operating as spec and wants me to pay for any fixes! Still trying to resolve this Costco.

I had our system activated on Nov 30, 2016. It stopped producing on Dec 30, 2016. Sunrun did not catch it until Jan 18, 2017. Since then it's been an endless call with Sunrun and their partner Solar Universe. Your Customer Service do not even have the courtesy to follow up on my behalf. I have to wait 5 days to give Solar Universe to respond (which they did NOT). And since then, I have to call every other day to follow up. Up to now my system is still down. And to add insult to injury. I was billed for December and January. UNSAT! You can keep your referral money.

Sunrun

Thank you for your contact, Jamie Dunn. Giving a great customer experience is something our affiliates, and our company, strives to achieve together! That's why processing speedy installations, and our hassle-free solar equipment maintenance plan are so important. For added peace of mind, all of our lease agreements include a Performance Guarantee! This means, if production somehow doesn't meet expectations, then Sunrun will compensate you for the difference! When all's said and done, communication and support are valuable. To hear this wasn't your experience is frustrating! We want to take this opportunity to connect with you, and complete a thorough investigation! A Specialist has sent you a message. Please respond with the necessary details, so we can immediately work together.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

It took about 6 months for Sunrun to come out and actually install the solar panels and by the time they did install it was the end of summer. Now and less than a year of having panels and it's a really wet winter in California and our roof is leaking in two spots. It's been about 3 months of having pots and buckets in my closet to catch the rain coming in. We had called the first time in November when it first started happening and they said they found the leak and fixed it and then when it continued to leak we called and it took about another month for someone to come back out after multiple calls.

Then they said they think they found it again and again it leaked during the next rain storm. So now it's the end of January and still no fixes. We got a hold of them again and after weeks of on and off storms they came out and tarped where they think it's coming through. Today the tarp and the tiles they put to hold down the tarp are blown off, tiles broken and still raining in my closet and back door. Mold is growing in my closet even after bleaching. Rain is dripping across my whole closet and down the side of it going into my carpet. This is now the end of the 3rd month. Very disappointed, very frustrated. I don't know what to do.

Sunrun

Thank you for your communication, Ms. Vance! We strive to provide an outstanding customer experience! That's why having a communicative, qualified, and efficient team is so important. To understand you feel this wasn't the case for you is disheartening! We want to take this chance to better-understand your experience, and see how to make things right by you! A Specialist has sent you a private message. Once you respond, then we can work together right away!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

Had problems with my electricity going out in kitchen and basement. When initially installed Sunrun exchanged areas in my main electrical box and placed theirs in the main box. Those they removed, they placed in a much smaller electrical box near the main box. A couple of years ago I had my main box protected by adding a surge protector to the main box (this essentially keeps my house safe from surges and ruining my electrical appliances). So those items moved out were unprotected and were subject to many power surges. Since Christmas we have experienced power outages almost daily. Causing my treadmill (in the basement) to fry its electrical system.

I had the electrical company come out and check their lines. Everything fine. So I called Sunrun and explained what was going on and if they would come check their power box. I was given an appointment 2 weeks out between 8 and 10 am. As I waited on that day, no one came. At 11am I called Sunrun to ask about the no show! They weren't coming and had cancelled the appointment WITHOUT INFORMING ME! They stated they had no documentation of my call nor what I wanted them to do! I explained my landline answer machine is on 24/7 and my iPhone has no missed call or messages from them! I was basically called a liar. Even worse they had no openings for that day. Someone would call me to schedule an appointment.

With that type of CRAPPY SERVICE, I called an electrician to find the trouble area and had them fix it! So please be careful in your dealings with Sunrun and DON'T let them add or remove anything from your main electrical box. If you must have them come out, ensure you call back a few times to ensure your appointment is still on their books!!! If I had it to do over, I would have used another company. I am stuck with them due to our contract!!! Hindsight is a bugger!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

My experience has been very good, there were a couple hitches in the installation but that was quickly rectified. It is still early in the process as I have not received a bill yet to compare with the before bill. It should be coming soon.

We all can talk about doing something, though our follow through is not always there. I have been interested in going solar for years now, but never got around to taking the steps to do so. About four months ago, I walked into a Home Depot and was approached by a gentleman with an iPad and he asked me if I was interested in solar. Being in the process of building a new home, I said “Yes. Can you walk with me while I go down and look at flooring and you can tell me more?” The young man obliged.

From that moment forward and throughout the entire approval process and even each and every person that was involved in the installation were exceptionally gracious and helpful to me as a consumer. There were times when I thought I might back out just because I had so much going on, though the sales rep was much more than a salesman. He guided me through the world I did not know anything about and put me at ease. I feel I could not of made a better choice of a solar company to align myself with.

I have been so happy with the current solar project that I have experienced that I have recommended the Sunrun team to two of my friends. I am happy to say that both of them have also contracted with Sunrun for their own homes.

Sunrun promised to us that we will pay only $17.00 with HECO but unfortunately we are paying much if we add the bill from Sunrun. We are not saving money and it's a wrong decisions to have solar in our home.

I am very upset and angry at the customer service that my family received from the energy consultant that came to my home. Gricel ** and another consultant came to my home asking if we were interested in solar panels and offered a no obligation, free estimate to see if it was something we wanted to do. We decided to take the offer and see what the estimate would be so The next day they came back and went over the proposal and took about 15 minutes to explain. I told them I would contact them to see if we decided to install the panels or not but the following day. Gricel came to my home and spoke to another family member since my husband and I were not there. At that point my husband and I had decided we were going to hold off on the installation.

So when I talk to her on the phone I told her we were not going to pursue the installation at that time and she got very upset and said that they had spent 45 minutes explaining everything to us. Then she gets off the phone and complain to my mother in law about how she had wasted time with us and how she waited for a long time in the car while the other consultant was going over the proposal with us. She kept saying that why didn't we say we didn't want it from the beginning instead of having them do the proposal.

I am really disappointed with the service we received from this person and again goes back to the reason why I haven't installed panels in the first place, too many rude, deceiving and unprofessional consultants that almost want to force you into installing panels. It is not ok to insult my family and decisions behind not installing. Consultants are supposed to be there to sell and recommend but not obligate or try and force people into it and there is no need to be disrespectful to the customers for not buying. Horrible experience with this energy consultant!

I won't go into the fact that the output we were to receive once installed has never come close to their promise. However, we discovered a leak in our roof well over a year ago and they sent someone out from Helio Power who did the initial installation. He though not a roofer said he fixed it. Being as we don't have much rain here in the desert we didn't know whether the leak was repaired or not but did find it wasn't 2 months ago when we had another substantial rain. Again Helio Power was sent out by Sunrun with them taking pictures and all that. I've had to push for them to get a roofer out here who said yes it was the stanchion from the panel causing the leak. He then noted that it was installed wrong and so were all of the stanchions on the flat part of our roof. He said he'd tell Helio Power which I assume he did but we never heard back.

After bitching at both Sunrun and Helio Power they showed up to again only to look at it, roofer and a rep from Helio Power. They then said they would put me on a schedule to fix all the stanchions. Never heard from them and then again it rained and leaked. Put in another call to Helio Power with no result. Called Sunrun again yesterday and Melissa was very apologetic and was going to call whoever schedules and they'd get back to me immediately or if not she would. Well again I never heard back being I'm most likely not even scheduled. So, not only does Sunrun have poor installation they also along with Helio Power have extremely poor support.

I purchased a home with Sunrun solar panels in July 2016. I called them the month we moved in to ensure they had our information for our first bill. They told me we had a "credit". I never received a statement, welcome letter or email. In August I called again as I wanted to make sure we did not fall behind on our bill. The representative told me there must have been some "glitch" in the system and they would call me back when they discovered what the problem was. I NEVER received a call or an email.

In September, I called again, still no answers or bill. On October 21, 2016, we received our FIRST statement for 3 months, $691 was due on 11/1/2016. So not only was I chasing the company down for a bill, but once I did receive a bill it was for 3 months and it was due in a week? I called customer service once again and told them how upset I was. Of course they apologized but they made no attempts to help me with a payment plan or offer a credit for the inconvenience. This was yet another call with zero answers and a dissatisfied feeling. At this time, the customer representative did inform me that the panels were not projecting efficient energy and that they could send someone out to look at the panels.

Two days later, I received an email stating that my service request did not qualify, even though these are LEASED panels and that they could give me a quote to come out and service my panels. Of course I was upset and called once again. First I called the number on the email from Jacob **. I left two voice messages and never received a callback. So then I chased after customer care again, and called the number on the website, I spoke with Martin in customer care. He referred me to a manager on 10/24/16 and stated I would receive a call or email. It is 11/16/16 and I have not received a phone call or an email from anyone.

Last week, I was very upset, losing sleep and so baffled that a company would treat a new customer so poorly.

I called and spoke with Jake in the "escalations" office. This definitely put me over the edge, which is ironic being that he is suppose to be some type of "leader" in the "escalations" office. He did the complete opposite. He barely apologized, he had a cocky attitude and could care less if I was a happy customer or not. In addition, I have sent three emails to customer service via the Sunrun website, I have not received a response, it has been over 3 weeks since my last email. I have worked customer service in many areas and I am currently an administrator in education. I have never been treated so poorly nor would I ever imagine leaving an issue unmet or a customer unsatisfied.

At this time, I am hoping to find a way out of this lease. Unfortunately, when buying the home we had to sign to take over the lease. I have lost sleep and time because of this company's lack of customer service, in addition they do not follow through. Please RUN away from Sunrun and share this with others. I have already shared via social media, with co-workers and friends who are asking how I feel about solar panels. I have friends purchasing homes now or who have homes and are interested in solar panels. I told them to ask others and do further research and to stay away from Sunrun. Costco truly needs to know about unhappy customers and get that booth out of Costco. Costco would never treat customers this way, so they should not offer business to such a distasteful company.

It was very fast and easy and the customer service agent guy told bunch of jokes to make me laugh and was completely professional and got the job done. The financing was not bad. It was not break the bank expensive and the the solar energy will save us more money long term I thought about. I am extremely happy with the whole experience. It was quick to install and saved me money from solar energy. I absolutely loved it. It was fast and easy and the guy installing it was friendly and told jokes and was professional and got the job done in decent amount of time.

The sales (Jimmy **) came to house and scheduled assessment. From assessment to installation is 1 year and half. We were paying roughly 80 a month and now we are paying more than double. The sale was misleading by telling us we can cancel any time and it should be able to covers our usage. What utility company showing the credit is one tenth of what Sunrun meter says. It is not working. When we called customer services, they say they will call us back. It has been two months, we followed up multiple times, and no one call us back. We now talk a customer specialist (Jake **) who is totally useless, keep pulling "This is the contract and there is no higher manager to discuss with us".

I researched for several months on solar for my home. In the end I went with Sunrun solar. The sales team was great. The install team was topnotch. Even the city electrical Inspector said, "The job was well done." The wiring was done so you don't see pipe all over the house and roof. Besides the panels on the roof the only thing on the outside of my home is a Sunrun meter. Very good job start to finish and it was complete in about 6 weeks with solar up and running.

I've been extremely impressed Sunrun as a company, its innovation and product offerings. I first learned of Sunrun about two years ago and I've become more passionate about solar and alternative energy ever since.

I've been super impressed with Sunrun's communication and attention to detail. They have more concern about quality and what's best for me and my situation than I would expect. A great solar company!

When I signed up for solar I was in a new house. Sunrun based my usage on 5 months and said that this would be sufficient to base my energy needs even though my previous address I used more than double. The representative said they had to have usable roof space. When the installers were here I asked if more panels could be installed I was told it could be more than doubled. It wasn't made clear to me that I would be getting a true-up bill from PGE. Needless to say I was in shock when the bill was $7500. When I contacted customer service I was told I would have to re-apply and have a credit score of 650 or higher. At the current time my score is too low so the company totally screwed me over.

Month 4 into the contract I received a notice from Sunrun, something was wrong with my system and they would send someone out. It took almost 2 weeks for another SUNCONTRACTOR of theirs to go to the house, (HE was told to let me know what it was), never received what was wrong. Today I Got APS (power) bill, it was $521.70 along with Sunrun's bill of $140.00=$661.70 for month of August. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!! I found out the system had NOT worked. That an inverter needed replacing among a few other things - HOW AM I GOING TO PAY THIS BECAUSE OF THEM. DON'T GO SOLAR - Take electric co's budget plan... It also is keeping some house from selling in Arizona. How to get out of a contract? I'm 70 with COPD and can't deal with this.

I was at Costco and noticed a solar panel vendor and spoke with their representative about a free home visit cost estimate to place their solar panels on the roof of my house. The representative told me that they could come by the following morning. I asked him if he was sure as I didn't think this gave their sales people enough time to schedule an appointment. The representative told me that this was no problem so I made the appointment at my house with a face to face with their sales person at 10:00 a.m. the following morning.

The next morning I received a call from the sales representative at 9:30 a.m. who told me that due to a family emergency they would not be able to make the appointment and wanted to reschedule but did not have access to their scheduling center and wanted to call me the following day. I felt this was a lie as the representative at COSTCO probably didn't give their field sales staff enough time but I gave this person the benefit of the doubt. The area code of the telephone number this representative was using told me that their sales office was probably two counties away so there was no way that they could keep my appointment. I did not receive a call the next day nor the day after or the following day and figured he had forgotten about me.

A week later I get a follow-up call from the same sales person who started off the conversation with "I believe I sent you an email" which was a lie. I now confirmed in my mind that he had lied about his family emergency during our first telephone conversation. He was a real slick talker kind of like a used cars salesperson. So I told him that I did not want to have anything to do with his company that employs unethical people and I would be filing a complaint with COSTCO as they should not be doing business with Sunrun Installation Services, Inc.

Excellent experience. Mitch was our rep. He is fabulous and made the whole process from start to finish very simple. All of our questions, and we had a ton of them, were answered promptly and thoroughly. The installation was done well and the paperwork was very streamline. We've saved a ton every month. Our experience and savings has been well worth it.

I had my house without Sunrun and I was paying about $120 for energy. I got their system and right now I am paying $250 a month. They are charging me $157 a month and I am paying also to energy company about $100. I have called them so they can come and checked their system and they have refused it. Their customer service is disgusting. I was trying to cancel my contract so I will take them to court.

I contacted Sunrun when BGE Home, the company that maintains some of my home utilities, partnered with Sunrun and sent me an email encouraging me to work with them. I called them, they looked at my home on Google Maps and refused to visit or provide an estimate because there was "too much shade". The following week I contacted Solar City. They sent an agent to our home who evaluated and provided us with a very nice contract with over 30 panels and many financing options that certainly will save us money. Conclusion: Sunrun is interested in maximizing profits per installation. Solar City is interested in producing energy.

After several months for the install. The electrical company left notification at the home that the system could be turned on. We did, or thought we did. Has a Sunrun tech on the phone and he confirmed that they had all they needed and the system was up. System still didn't work. 2nd call, they indicated system was down and sent information to re-boot the system. We tried and still not working. 3rd call, this rep now informed us that they have to have a physical letter from the electrical company on file and they hadn't received it yet... Every time you call for assistance you will get a different answer. I would not recommend this company to anyone who expect good customer service.

DO NOT use Sunrun Solar if you plan to ever sell your home. We listed our home and started escrow. The prospective buyer was discouraged after dealing with Sunrun for the transfer and WITHDREW their offer on our home. Buyer number 2 we were in escrow and within 1 business day of closing and AGAIN Sunrun threw a wrench into the works. It came down to one piece of paper that Sunrun refused to release was going to cost us our 2nd buyer! We closed escrow 5/27/16. Sunrun continued to automatically withdraw money from our account. After several attempts for explanation they assured us in writing that was the last withdraw. WRONG! July and another withdrawal.

Now we are assured this too will be the last withdrawal. I am prohibited from signing into my account to make any changes (auto withdrawal) because their system shuts out the previous owner once the new one signs on. Additionally, I am not allowed to see the invoices nor can/will they produce an invoice to support what they are taking out of our account. The billing department has NO PHONE numbers for access by customers. Supervisors do NOT answer emails. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE company for customer service! Go with this company at your own risk!

We have been with Sunrun 4 years. Right after install we noticed that our primary house panels were not producing. It took several phone calls to get a technician out to verify the system was not working. Our latest issue is a roof leak caused by several broken tiles UNDER the solar panels. We have been fighting with Sunrun since February over this issue. Sunrun has sent out several people to look at the roof. Really, how many people do you need to tell you that the leak was caused because of the tiles your installers broke??? They call us back.

I have been a customer of Sunrun for the past 4 years without ever having an issue. Everything ran on time and I have saved over 1800 per year since they turned on the system. Highly recommended.

They setup my system just fine, but I've had my panels on for 3 months now and they don't work, 0 power generation. The customer service department has given me a different story each time, never the same. They refuse to send out a technician. Thankfully I haven't been charged anything since my system hasn't generated any power.

I recently made the mistake of asking Sunrun for an estimate. After reviewing the material I decided not to go with Sunrun, and I sent the salesperson an email stating so. They cannot take No for an answer. I am getting two and three calls per day asking me about my interest in Sunrun. I would never do business with the company.

Easy to talk to. Got my problem solved straight away without any hassles. Best customer service I have ever had by far. Little to no waiting time. Very generous and easy to get financing options. Really liked the simplicity of the program itself. Easy for everyone to understand. Explained in very great detail. Value is great. You certainly get what you pay for. Great overall. Works very well and helps lower monthly bills. So far, no issues had at all. The installation was quick and easy. They came in at a reasonable time as well that worked great what with a busy working schedule. Explained the process as it was happening so I knew what was going on.

Expert Review

Zachary ShahanSolar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.    More about Zachary→

Sunrun, founded in 2007, was a solar leasing/PPA pioneer and now serves 11 states, making it one of the most widely spread solar installers.

• Strong customer service: Sunrun has a very strong customer service program focused on taking care of everything for the customers and providing good solar software for communication with them.
  • Solar leasing leader: Sunrun was one of the first companies to offer a solar lease/PPA and has stuck closely to that model. With such a focus on this option, and with its co-founders and co-CEOs coming from the finance sector, it seems to offer one of the best solar leasing services around.
  • Continued financing and growth: The company seems to be doing well, as it quite often announces new financing for its growth and has acquired REC Solar, indicating that it is likely to stick around for a while and not bail on its agreements with customers.
  • Solar leasing/PPAs: Sunrun doesn’t even offer an option to buy a solar power system with a loan or cash. You will never own the solar panels on your roof, only lease them.
  • Customer acquisition: Sunrun reportedly has quite high customer acquisition costs, previously – and perhaps currently – using a canvassing system for bringing in customers.
  • Best for homeowners, small and large businesses, government agencies and nonprofits, leasing and PPA customers and solar beginners.

Sunrun Company Profile