2. Solar Energy
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.81/5

Sunrun's solar systems and Brightbox battery give you more than savings — they also give you control of your electricity, letting you save power on sunny days to use when it’s cloudy or raining. Sunrun strives to be the easiest and smartest way to join the clean energy revolution, and the company guides you through installation and your next 25 years of superior solar and battery performance.

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Sunrun offers customizable leasing, financing, purchase and PPA agreements, including options with no down payment. Sunrun's customers are generally satisfied with their solar systems but note the initial cost was high.

PROS

• Provides a warranty with all plans
  • U.S.-based customer service
  • Multiple payment options

CONS

• Limited battery storage availability
  • Pricing not available online

Top Sunrun Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Signing up was very easy. It was a couple days after I signed up that they came out and did the installation. They were on my roof for one day, and it was up and running. We started in June and my largest energy bill has been $5.38. I'm very happy so far.

The installation team was great. They were clean and they had nice personalities. I just had my roof redone, and I asked about where the bolts go, and they answered all my questions about it. I'm happy I went solar. I'm ecstatic.

What is Sunrun?

Sunrun sells solar panels and leases solar energy systems with optional battery storage in some states. The company also installs residential solar energy systems and partners with grid managers and utility companies to leverage power capacity.

Sunrun installs the latest solar energy technology and uses monocrystalline panels known for their high efficiency and a low rate of degradation. Sunrun’s solar panel warranty also includes a performance guarantee — if the system does not maintain certain levels of production, Sunrun fixes or replaces the faulty panels.

Sunrun costs

The average cost for a solar energy system ranges from $15,000 to $29,000, but Sunrun’s prices are sometimes higher than other solar energy providers because it uses cutting-edge technology. Fill out a form on its website to get a free customized solar energy system design and quote. Sunrun partners with Costco to make solar panels available to its members at lower prices.

If you want to go solar but can’t afford the upfront price, you might qualify for leasing or a no-down-payment loan from Sunrun. With a solar loan, you own the system and claim the rebates or tax credits while you pay for it over time.

You can also sign a power purchase agreement (PPA) instead of buying the solar panels and pay for years of energy at a lower rate than local utility companies charge. Sunrun maintains the system on your roof for the lifetime of the PPA.

Some states also offer rebates or special programs for solar energy systems, and the federal government has a tax credit in place until 2021. A Sunrun advisor can help determine if you qualify.

Sunrun installation

Sunrun customizes solar system installations based on each situation. A technician visits, measures and evaluates your home using automated site modeling to determine the optimum panel placement. Sunrun’s experts then review the design and submit it to the city to receive a permit.

When work begins, crews need access to your yard, electrical panel, roof and attic. Sunrun's employees install a meter and inverter alongside your home, and the panels are typically installed on your roof.

Your local city government must inspect and approve the system before you can connect it to the grid. The local utility company installs a net meter so it can track how much solar electricity you produce and use. Upon approval from the utility company, you can begin using your solar panels.

Sunrun warranty

All of Sunrun’s solar plans come with a workmanship warranty, and its PPAs come with rate-increase protection. The workmanship warranty covers equipment replacement and system repairs, including parts and labor. Sunrun installations come with a roof warranty that guarantees any holes its employees put in your roof remain watertight for 10 years. If you choose to add battery storage, the batteries are under warranty for 10 years as well. Certain plans also come with 24/7 monitoring to ensure your system is operating at peak performance.

Sunrun maintains leased solar power systems, but you are responsible for any maintenance and repairs outside the scope of your warranty if you own the system.

Sunrun FAQ

What solar panels does Sunrun use?
Sunrun uses LG solar panels, such as the NeON 2. LG solar panels are made of monocrystalline cells, which are known for higher efficiency and slower degradation.
Where are Sunrun solar panels made?
Sunrun solar panels are manufactured in South Korea.
What is the Sunrun app?
The Sunrun app allows you to see how much energy your system is producing along with system features and billing information. It is available for iPhone and Android devices.
Where is Sunrun available?
Sunrun is available in 22 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Wisconsin. Brightbox batteries are available in Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Texas and Vermont. The company also installs solar systems in Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.
What is Sunrun’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel or make changes to your Sunrun solar agreement within 21 days of signing the contract as long as it’s before the installation date.
Who owns Sunrun?
Sunrun is a publicly traded company with significant capital investments from Pacific Gas and Electric Company and Sequoia Capital. The CEO is Lynn Jurich.

Is Sunrun a good company?

Yes, Sunrun is a good company. Sunrun offers flexible lease and purchase terms, including no-down-payment options, and it can customize a contract based on your needs. Homeowners who want to install solar panels but are concerned that their homes might not be a good fit can consult with Sunrun to optimize a solar energy system designed for their homes’ unique energy profiles.

Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I’m an Ambit consultant and we work hand in hand with Sunrun. It's a marriage of convenience. Ambit and Sunrun work together in a lot of states. Enrollment was very easy. Permits were handled by Sunrun so I had no necessity to go to any supplier or utility to ask for permits. I didn’t even have to go to the Village and ask for permits. But after I signed up, I actually put them off because the weather in January of last year was so horrendous. We had a couple of days that were minus 20. I called up and told the girl in the office not to send anyone to work on our roof in that weather. She said she was glad I was aware of that. I had worked outside for a lot of years. I know what it is to work in weather like that and if you’re on up high, you’re exposed to a lot of wind – not only the temperature. You have a lot of wind chill. I understood the people were not making any money but in the long run, they're better off.

My panels were installed on the 22nd of February last year and the system was actually activated the 26th of March. So it took approximately a month for Commonwealth Edison to get off their butt and approve the connection. From then on, it has worked great. I'm extremely satisfied. I go out and check how much I generate every couple days and just say, “Whoa, wow. Look at this.” Then I check my electric bill and see. There was actually a screw-up on my April bill last year but ComEd overcharged. They disregarded the fact that I had solar panels. They just charged me an electric bill but I got that back.

In my first year, summer was absolutely great. In December, I paid one and a half month’s electric bill. January was a two-month electric bill because we had a lot of cloudy weather and I have the Sunrun cost plus ComEd. So even though I have a lot of panels, they didn’t generate sufficiently through the cloud cover. But I expected that and my summer electric bills more than made up for it. I was between $16 and $18 a month, which is a connectivity fee with Commonwealth Edison. I can’t get away from that.

I was also there during the entire installation and I took pictures. There was a four-man crew and they were extremely efficient. They wasted no effort. There was a first crew that came in and sistered the joist inside the roof because Sunrun demanded that. Their engineering team wanted the additional support. But the four people that were on the roof were installing the plates that go between the shingles. They installed the standoffs to hold the panels up. One did the wiring and one did all the piping. It was a total one-day installation and they installed 26 panels on my roof plus the inverter. They also connected it to the box inside, through the meter standard. Everything was all very professionally done. They were quality people.

They did an extremely good and efficient installation, and it worked immediately. The Village had somebody come out and inspect it. He was going to fail it and I asked why. I happened to work for an electrical contractor at one time and I told him to look at it again. It was connected properly. The Sunrun rep was there too. The person from the Village asked me what I knew about it so I told him. Then he said I was right. Everything was connected exactly the way it was supposed to be.

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

When we moved, our new electricity costs were ridiculously high although we hadn’t changed anything that should have made an impact. We literally moved from two minutes away so it wasn’t even like we had lived somewhere far away. So, when that happened, we started looking for other ways to save on our electricity. We did a couple of little short stints with third-party electric providers but trying to get them cancelled on time and everything was a hassle. We started thinking about solar and I saw that my friend had gone solar and she was saving money, so we decided to look into it. At that time, our sales rep was working with a different company and I just got a hold of the person that she recommended who happened to be working with Sunrun.

You're supposed to have one survey of your house, your roof and property, and the first person who came out looked at our house. We were having the panels put on the garage but they didn’t check it so they had to come back out. Then, the second person they sent was new and he messed up at every appointment he had been to that day and he didn’t do everything he was supposed to do. So, they had to send a third person out. I was a little disgruntled about having to have people constantly come back out because we have dogs and it was a hassle. But they gave us a gift card to make up for it, so that was helpful and it made me feel better. So, enrolling wit them wasn’t really hard. It was just the fact that it was only supposed to happen once and it happened three times. Finally, the third person that they sent out did a good job, checked everything and was thorough.

We had a couple of things in our yard that we kinda had built in, like a playground for our kids and things, and where Sunrun wanted to run the lines, the second person who clearly didn’t know what he was talking about, told me that they would have to run it through there. I said that we couldn't tear that up and he said that he didn't know what I could do. So some of that was a little bit upsetting. We've already signed everything. It all worked out but if they were a little more careful of making sure people were either trained, that would be good. But other than that, it wasn’t bad.

We met with Sunrun mid-August and they installed them the first week of December. As of December 26th, the electric company had signed off on us turning them on and we started making electricity right away. This time last year, I would not have been sure if I had made the right choice. I recommend not to start the process where they're gonna turn on in winter because we were paying Sunrun and then we were also paying probably $100 to the electric company. Also, on January and February, it was gloomy and the sun was not really out. So, that caused me to panic a little because it was more than what we were paying with just electric. But now that we've had them through spring, summer and everything, we pay our fee of 117 for the equipment to Sunrun and then, we pay $16 a month to the electric company, which is actually a fee that they add on your bill. So, we're not paying them anything for actual electricity.

At first, when the installers came on installation day, they were gonna have to run it in some really cockeyed way that it was gonna look terrible on the side of our farmhouse. I ended up talking with the installation manager who was overseeing it that day and I told him that I didn’t want that run like that. He said he would think about it and he would see if he could work something else out. It took him 15 minutes and he figured out a way so it’s kinda hidden in the metal pipe through the attic that's not even in my way and it comes out the other side. It’s not ugly on my house. I ended up having to handle the situation and if I would have been a person who would do it however they want, I would have been unsatisfied with how it was installed on my house.

After they left, there was a spot where they put the box in the side of your house or garage. The wire comes down the side of the building and then they put almost like a cap over it, so it's protected and they put it in and then they moved it over a couple of inches. Where they had taken it off, there were little, tiny screw holes in the siding and you couldn’t really see them but then, throughout winter, they got brittle and it busted out a little part of our siding on our garage. I contacted them, and it took a month or so in order to get someone out here. But they made that right too.

You should make sure that going solar works for you. People should ask questions, specifically how they’re gonna run things through because our sales rep was nice and answered a lot of our questions but there were some things that he was kind of quick on. He said he would be here on installation day but then, he never was there on any of the surveys or the installation day because of some personal things going on, which I could understand. But on the other hand, I didn’t know what I was doing. So, it would have been nice if he would have been there.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

We had been looking at getting solar energy service on and off for a couple of years and we finally decided to do it. We got Sunrun solar through Costco. Their sales guy was wonderful and very informative. He really knows a lot of information and was upfront and honest about a lot of things. He really stepped in and got me what was promised. Then the installation went really well when it finally got agreed upon.

The design of the system is perfect. It suits our home and it gives us the energy we need. But I did have a problem and I did my due diligence. We had no electricity over half the house. The washer, dryer, water heater, air conditioning, heater, and Wi-Fi were all out. Sunrun told me that I had to call an electrician to diagnose the problem to verify that it wasn’t the electrical in my house. He didn’t touch any of their equipment but he went through everything. The person on the phone couldn't understand the scope of the problem and how big it was. It couldn’t wait until they could get it checked out here 13 days. We have four adults in this house and two big dogs, and waiting two weeks for them wasn't gonna work.

The electrician talked to Sunrun on the phone. He went through the process that they were telling him to shut it off and turn it back on. Shutting the entire system down and going back on the grid didn’t fix the problem. I had already done that twice. He kept telling them that the problem was in their equipment. It was a long day on the phone with them. There are people that pick up the phone and they’re just going by a book. They’re not really listening to the scope of what is going on in your home. As the homeowner, I did my due diligence to identify the problem with the licensed electrician. If I didn’t know how to get ahold of the tech that came and helped me with my system when it was first set up directly, I would still be sitting here without electricity in my house. Basically, the solution was just locating the inverter switch where the only person that was supposed to go in was a certified technician to flip that switch back on. It was a matter of flipping a switch.

Sunrun is a good company, but they have some internal process things they need to work out and they need to train their internal employees better. In order to get a problem solved, you have to be the squeaky wheel and I’m not one to just sit back and wait for things. Plus, my situation was pretty big. I can’t run on a house without hot water or heat or air conditioning or a lot of things for two weeks because they can’t get a tech to me.

Sunrun is selling these big systems that cost a ton of money and they need to back it up with support. When you have a problem and you have to go through their customer service to get a tech to your house, that’s the downfall. They're supposed to get the right person to you. But they don’t know what they’re doing and they’re not listening to the problem. Their customer service people are not trained and not knowledgeable. If it wasn’t for the sales guy and the tech guy, I probably wouldn’t have been with Sunrun. Also, the equipment, the setup, and how it serves up in our home are wonderful.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I was on Facebook and there was a posting about solar, and I started doing a little research and looking around. I found 4 different companies that had ratings, and I contacted all 4 and had them come to the house and do a presentation. One of the 4 never cancelled but never showed, and among the 3, Sunrun was the most impressive. The sales rep that they sent out was very personable and very knowledgeable and I was about 75% sold. Then one little time in about a week, he followed up and I said, “Yeah, let’s do this.” So, we got started and away we went.

The enrollment was a simple process of getting things signed up. They did as much for me and I had to do very little. I’m sort of retarded when it comes to that kind of stuff if it gets technical, but they took me through it pretty much. The gentleman that was coordinating always sent me an email or phone call saying, “We’ll do this,” and then, “Here’s what's next. Here’s what they're gonna do.” And even down to the city inspection, even back to the guys who’ll be there in such and such a date that worked on the roof, they always knew where I was. So, I was truly impressed with the communication. I’ve been a customer service rep or salesperson my whole life, and I know what it’s like to have a good PR with the public, and they had it. They're just good and I made a good choice.

The first bill I got sorta surprised me. It was higher than I thought it would be. It was like $100 and I wasn’t sure why. 125 to 150 was my normal bill. But even if I had the rental of like 79 bucks and then I got a $100 bill, the next month was 50, and then the next five was free. It apparently caught up and I was getting ahead on the energy. And the first bill I got was 17 cents. So, you pretty much had to get it too before and beat the smile off my face. We’re in a season now to where I’m starting to see some bills, even with the contract with Sunrun, but 30, 40, 50 bucks is still below what I was paying so I’m really happy. And anyone I can talk into it, I’ll do. And the nice thing about going solar was getting a credit card with a $350 bonus on it for referring. They haven't turned it on as they haven't got the final inspection, but it’s all done and the lady is quite thrilled. I recommended them to about 20 people and even posted it on Facebook.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I went to a trade show here in Denver, and there was a representative there. When I talked to him, he was the only one that gave me a choice of different solar panels. Sunrun sent a representative over and I like what the rep offered me. I had the system installed and I’ve been happy ever since. I got one of the better installers, electrically-wise. I’ve got two. They were Sunny Boys converters, and my original thought was to get completely off the grid. But at the time, Xcel would not allow that. In fact, they still don’t. I was thinking about just getting that Tesla in-home battery so I could get completely off the grid. But I had no problems. I’ve got 48 panels. I’ve got a 9.5 kilowatt system. And everything works great, and it has ever since I had it installed. Two other people in the neighborhood also have used Sunrun because of the effects that I had from them.

I've been producing solar energy for about 11 years. The system provides me with enough electricity. I got a pool in my backyard and a big air conditioner. So during the summertime, May through September, my electric bill would run anywhere from $300 to $400 a month. Now, it’s down to $40 a month. I’m paying actually even less in the winter, ‘cause I use less electricity. I know that you have to buy electricity from some of the other solar companies, which really doesn’t pay off.

The cost of the system was $100 a month for the first year, and then it went up to 103, and now it’s only up to 133. Plus in the next 10 years, I will own my solar system and I like that. It will help me sell my house, if I ever want to. Furthermore, there was not just one plan. They had four different plans that you could work with. We’ve had several hail storms and I chose the Kyocera panels because of the thickness, and the coatings that they have as versus to the Sanyos and to another one. I did a little research and the Kyocera panels came out about three to five points over the Sanyos. The Sanyos would have been cheaper. But mine did not cost me one red cent. The only thing was the 6% per year that your bill could go up with Sunrun to pay for the unit. With all the rebates and stuff that we had back then, I think that was a little high. But it was a non-negotiable back then. I don’t know about now.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

We have been having issues with our inherited solar panels since we moved in just over a year ago. We initially got a call from Sunrun last October (2019) to check on our solar panels. They told us we were producing less electricity than expected. They visited us in November, and the technician informed us that since the system was an older model, we would have to be serviced by a company called Trinity Solar. Trinity got in contact with us in December and scheduled a repair appointment for the end of the month. They were a no call no show. We called and left a message reporting this and received a call back at the end of January. As we were not available on weekdays at that point, the representative stated she would get us a weekend appointment and call us back. There was no call back.

We emailed Sunrun in February and let them know of the issues with Trinity. We finally managed to get an appointment for April for the repairs, but then COVID-19 happened, and the appointment got cancelled. In July, we got an appointment with Sunrun to replace our meter, which was malfunctioning, and so I brought up our previous issue with a technician that came out. He took a quick look at our system, verified our previous issue (we are producing approximately 1/4-1/2 the electricity we should be), and called his supervisor. Apparently our case had been closed, even though the issue had never been resolved. The supervisor re-opened the case, and told us to expect a follow up soon. After waiting two weeks with no contact, we called Sunrun at the beginning of August to check on the update. The representative said that our parts were in shipment, and that we should expect a email to create an appointment in two weeks or so.

It has now been eight weeks since that last call/contact, and 12 months since we were first alerted to the problem. I understand that coronavirus caused a great delay, but even without counting those seven months, that means that our problem still has not been fixed for at least five months of regular operating hours. Although every contact I’ve had with Sunrun has been polite and professional, there is no follow up with this company, promises are broken, and any issue will take forever to fix. I would not recommend Sunrun.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

We are trying to contact Sunrun so that we can have our panels removed for reroofing. First call, hour plus hold time then got hung up on. Second call hour plus hold time, and they sent forms authorizing them to remove panels within 45 days for $4100. We’ve found another solar contractor to do the work sooner but need to get a liability release form from Sunrun. Have requested it in several emails, was on hold with a guaranteed callback but the only number they provided in a message was their one hour on hold number. Called their Investor Relations Department and Kelly called back and said she’d send a request to their escalation department. Haven’t heard back yet. Left my number for a callback again but received no callback. To say their customer service is terrible and they deserve even one star is not descriptive enough about how unresponsive they are.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

Have leased system since 2017. Have very low solar production. I leased system to lower APS bills and I am still getting high bills. Solar panels were put in partial shade areas and therefore I'm getting low production. Want the problem solved with production or end lease and have system removed. They have offered lower lease payments but will not take care of high APS bills. Customer Service takes you around in circles and says it your problem. Not true.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

RUN!!! The people who knock on your door ARE LIARS. Even reading other reviews these people will do anything for a sale. I was told that my Bill would be $250 every single month and that it would be a FIXED amount. I am paying $400-$600 with APS PLUS $200 for the solar. I am in no way saving any money at all! I ended paying MORE. When this person was going over the contract it clearly stated I would be paying $250. Now I'm stuck with solar panels that save me -200 dollars each month.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Anyone thinking of solar should think of another rather than SunRun. Their installation was terrible and had to throw one of their crew off my property. After the solar is installed service is terrible. They will not send you a bill so you can see exactly how much you are paying for per unit. I’ve requested this many times. If you do not give them access you your bank so that they can directly debit your account they will penalize you $7.50 a month. They will claim this is a discount but it’s not attached to any pay rate and is a way for them to collect free money for doing nothing. Blackmail for not using direct Debit. One should never give them free access. You just may get a big surprise!

Sunrun Company Information