Sunrun

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, HI, MA, MD, NJ, NH, NV, NY, OR, PA, UT and SC.

Compare Solar Energy Companies

Research top Solar Energy Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This company is misleading and has terrible customer service. When the salesperson was at our home, we made it very clear that our plan in the short-term was to rent out our home and this solar agreement/billing would need to transfer over to the renter. We were told that would not be an issue, that Sunrun had an entire team dedicate to service transfers. What he didn't say was that they will only transfer it to another homeowner, not a renter. And, because they won't transfer the solar portion, the electric company that we have to use for the remainder of our power will not transfer service to the renter either. So, we have over $300 in solar and electric bills that are in our name, and we have to hope every month that the renter will pay us back for these expenses in a timely manner, potentially affecting our credit or cash flow.

In addition to that issue, the company feels it is OK to waste a customer's time. They set-up an inspection of our home prior to install, which was supposed to include attic work and getting on the roof. I had to take a day off to be there for that inspection, but when the tech got there he only completed the attic work and said he would have to come back out another day for the roof piece because it was getting ready to rain, but he told us that because he had completed the inside review that nobody needed to be at the home for the roof inspection. About a week later, I got a call from a different technician saying he was going to leave my house and I would have to wait about 2 weeks to reschedule, because I was not at home for the inspection that I was specifically told I didn't need to be there for.

When I called the tech, he said there was no record of a previous inspection and their dispatcher should have told me to be there. I called their dispatcher and they said the prior person left the company and there was confusion in his notes so they needed to do the full review, meaning I now had to take a second day off. He said he could get the tech back out to my home, due to the inconvenience. So, I took the day off, and waited around all day the following day, and nobody showed up. When I called to find out what was going on, I had to leave a message, and the install supervisor called me back to say he personally was going to come out and complete the inspection. So, I took a third day off for this inspection, which actually got completed after all that.

But then we scheduled the install, and we were told they would be on site the entire day but they would complete work that same day. The install team left at 2pm on the first day without work complete, so we had to be around for a second day, that was unplanned. Afterward they knocked a bunch of debris off my roof and didn't bother to clean-up when they left. Then came the inspection of the work performed. Again, I had to take two days off for this because nobody showed up the first day. Additionally, good luck getting in touch with someone in a timely manner. Anytime I have called the numbers provided for after services after install (billing, account info, etc.) I have to wait on hold an average of 15 minutes before talking to someone and even then they aren't able to help.

I recently became aware of squirrels nesting under the solar panels from the sounds of the scratching on the roof. I got the same nonsense reply as Eric of Colonia, NJ, wait for damage to the system. I asked to be escalated to a supervisor who repeated the information. I can't continue to be subjected to the clawing and scraping on the roof and it is a matter of time before the squirrels penetrate the roof. I asked to be escalated again to her supervisor and I was refused. I was told they used to install Critter Guard but the policy was changed a year ago and now they would send me a quote. There goes any financial benefit of solar. The environment was created by the installation of the panels and it's a known issue as you have the Critter Guard solution.

I continued to argue for an opportunity to escalate my issue to a manager and was refused. I said I want the panels removed and was told to get a lawyer. The customer rep reviewed the system production and saw some red flags but the earliest appt I could get is two weeks away just for a tech to inspect. That's two weeks of scraping and clawing. What is there to inspect? The problem exists and the company should address it. "No fast-talking disclaimers. No lawyers required. Our guarantee is simple." NOT TRUE.

I am not an electrician, nor am I a professional in anything electricity related. But I do know bad customer service and poor business practices. Ever since I've had Sunrun installed in my house, I've already had... now let's count... 30 power outages. This is not over several years, but since February of 2017! That's 3 months folks! I've had Sunrun technicians look at the situation, and even the local electric co, who still provide us with a nice bill every month, to come and inspect our clearly faulty unit. Sunrun's observation? Didn't hear a word from them. They didn't even get back to me. Strike one. They simply looked at the unit, and flew back from wherever they came from. I can not comprehend how a business like Sunrun can afford to carry on this way!

If I really cared about my "newly established" 20 year relationship with a client, I am going to go out of my way to make sure all the kinks are worked out within the first few days of any issues. It's now May and the problem has gotten worse. More frequent blackouts, strike two. I was starting to have my regrets by the way they were handling what seems to be a simple issue. So anyways, after "I" reached out to them to sort out their findings, I was told that we should contact our local electric company because they saw no fault on their part. So that is when I reached out to the electric co. They came out the same day and after making their assessment, said it was not something they were responsible for but an issue with Sunrun. So now, I'm feeling like the idiot caught in the middle of this overblown issue.

Look, we've never had any of these issues prior to Sunrun. So if after Sunrun has been installed, and we are dealing with constant blackouts, wouldn't it seem that Sunrun should be held accountable for controlling this issue? Or shouldn't they at least care?! I am desperate because I'm so tired of going outside barefoot to turn back on the tripped breaker. This is ridiculous. Very unhappy with Sunrun thus far. Oh and btw, soon after our solar panels were installed, I received a follow up email from a customer feedback representative. After writing him a detailed correspondence of the frequent blackouts we were experiencing the first month of activation, I never received a response. Strike three. Which has led me to this website. I felt obligated to my fellow solar prospects, to share my experiences.

We're off to a wonderful 20 year relationship. I have many other homeowner friends that are interested in panels. How can I recommend Sunrun after all that I've been through and still going through? I just CANNOT recommend this company at this moment. And it is going to take a lot to persuade me otherwise. My power literally just went out again as I write this. Hilarious.

Pigeons and squirrels have been nesting under my solar panels. I could not find a company that would fix the problem because they were afraid of damaging the solar panels. But the people who did come out for an estimate did say they expect either the panels to be damaged and or the roof to be damaged because of the significant infestation and recommended I contact Sunrun immediately to correct the problem. I contact Sunrun and was told I would have to pay $1,800 for a CritterGuard to be installed thereby wiping out any potential solar savings I would ever get from the panels. I explained this was a lease and they were responsible for maintenance as it says in the contract. The sales rep agreed but said that only covers damages, so if I want sunrun people to come out I have to wait for my roof and/or panels to get damaged by the animals then they would come out.

As it stands now, I am waiting for the animal damage to get bad enough for sunrun people to come out and fix the situation. I dont expect it to be too long, but it’s ridiculous that they wont pay for prevention damage and be responsible for the problems their panels cause but wait until the problem worsens to take action. I have personally deterred dozens of people from buying solar panels because of all these issues and more. I have never been satisfied by their customer care or service.

When we had our panels installed about 6 years ago, we did our due diligence and had our roof checked before getting panels installed. Unfortunately, due to a manufacture's defect in the shingles, we are having to replace our roof much sooner than the 20 years expected (the life of the solar lease). When we first got our panels, we were told by the salesperson that taking the panels off isn't a big deal even if the roof needs to be replaced. Being young and naive, we didn't read the contract carefully enough or compare it to other companies closely enough. Now we not only have to deal with an unexpected $6000 cost for a new roof but an additional $2500 for Sunrun to take off and replace the panels. I wouldn't call almost an additional 50% in the cost of a new roof "not a big deal."

I was really outraged, though, when I found out from my neighbors and verified in a Solar City contract that Solar City charges a flat fee of $499 for the same service (removal and replacement during a roof replacement). This leads me to believe that Sunrun is using my misfortune to make extra money (rather than just covering costs), even though they have already made lots of money from me, a loyal customer of many years. Overall all this time, I haven't had any other issues with Sunrun, just consistent solar power and little drama, but this has ruined the whole experience for me. Do yourself a favor and go with Solar City--they seem to care about their customers more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

A sales rep in NJ named Justin came to my door, not only was he very polite but the system works great. Not only are the panels way nicer than I thought, but the amount I'm saving on my energy bill is a no brainer! Phenomenal. Highly recommended!

It took almost 2 years to get a system installed. Very friendly people when you call but nothing gets done. No one calls backed when they say they will. Now to present time system is up and running and the billing start the first time. I got a email bill. I got 13 in one day. Each one different amounts from $100 to $1200. Monthly due is $116. The due amount on Sunrun app changes daily. Called and get runaround from the friendly folks on the phone and more friendly folks and on and on. Nothing gets done. They talk and pass you to the next person & on and on talk about "past due". It's the first bill how is it past due (late) on a new system. First bill sent (13 of them) due end of this month and it's past due. Looking like it's going to be a fight for 20 years. I think solar is a great thing. Just STAY AWAY From SUNRUN! Very friendly people on the phone but they work for a very poor company.

After the panels were installed, we experienced heavy rains. I saw a leak in one of our bedrooms and asked Sunrun to follow up. This is because there was no leaks prior to the installation and nobody went up on the roof. The technician who came went to attic and roof, said that he could not see anything as it was not raining. They asked me to call them back when it was raining. I followed up on rainy day and two technicians came the day it was raining. They arrived late and it's raining very heavily so we agreed with a handshake that they would send a roofer to inspect and that Sunrun would pay for it. This was in November. Now Sunrun is refusing to do anything and has closed the ticket and informed me that I was liable. What was the evidence that led to that decision? That is not clear. Sunrun has not kept its word. I will also inform Costco about the poor follow up and Sunrun not keeping its word.

My husband was told by the "Salesman" from Premier Solar, that we would get money back because of our location and the amount of solar energy that our Sunrun panels would produce. Panels were installed at the beginning of November 2016. I just paid APS approximately $75 for my March electric bill. This payment, along with the cost of our monthly solar panel lease from Sunrun, exceeds $250, which is more than what I was paying APS per month WITHOUT SUNRUN's SOLAR PANELS. I called so called "Salesman". He said to just email him the information and he would take care of it because obviously something was wrong. NOTHING is being done. Haven't heard a thing from the salesman or from SUNRUN to investigate. Sunrun solar is a SCAM.

The issues with Sunrun started when they reinstalled my existing panels and installed new ones. They improperly installed my old system, leaving it inoperable. They came back and reinstalled it. A few months after I got them installed, I received my weekly summary of power usage from the electric company to learn that my energy usage went from -62KW the week before to 84KW that week. I learned that the new system tripped the power breaker on the electrical box. I called Sunrun and they returned my call to tell me that they were opening a ticket.

One week... no return calls and no one came out to look at the problem. I called back in a week and was told that there was no ticket open and, "If you would have called us we could have done some troubleshooting, but you never called". I had no idea I was supposed to call them because they opened a ticket! In addition, I asked why no one contacted me to let me know my system was down for 10 days, even though they are supposed to monitor the production. He told me that I was supposed to monitor my own system and let them know if there is a problem. I later learned that they are in fact supposed to monitor the system, but failed to do so.

This customer service rep did some troubleshooting with me and had me power down the system. He told me, "I think I know what the problem is and I will open a ticket... Someone will contact you within 24 hours". Well, another week went by and no call, so I called them back. The customer service rep today told me that both tickets had been closed out and he doesn't know why the last customer service rep told me it would be 24 hours; these issues take 5-7 days to resolve. He said that it is producing fine and there is no reason to come out. Again, I was told that I need to monitor my own system through Sunrun or through the power company. I am stuck with dealing with this company for the next 20 years with a system that is apparently improperly installed and horrible, rude customer service. Please save yourself a headache and stay away from Sunrun!

Installation etc was spot on. Even got it installed early. Every month I was getting an electric bill over $100 and the sales fellow cut me a check for 2 months of overages saying he calculated wrong. For the first 3 months of 2017 I have paid $400 more for power than I did in 2016. Emailed SunRun and the rep with no response. Buyer beware. You will most likely pay more for power. NOT cheaper than regular power company.

I signed up with Sunrun for my solar energy. Every step of the way everything was an urgency. They made promises that they would give a $250.00 visa gift card if I got my energy bills to them by a certain date which I did. However I never received the Visa gift card. I keep being told 3-6 weeks and I will have it. Well so far nothing. Also my installment billing was suppose to be $73.00 per month that is what my paperwork says. However I got a bill for $85.00. When I called they said sign up for auto pay and my bill will go down to $73.00. This is something I wasn't told in the beginning. I wish I could get those Solar Panels removed. They are liars and I don't trust them now. I'm going to do everything in my power to get their solar panels taken off my house. I don't want to deal with years of deceit.

I have had my system on my roof for 3 years and my roof is already deteriorating. I need to replace the roof and SunRun will not pay for the panels to be removed and replaced. There was never a discussion by the SunRun sales person or a site survey performed on my roof. I have called SunRun 5 times and I'm always told I would receive a call back which I never do. I was not asking for them to replace the roof, just remove and replace the panels, which should have never been installed on a roof that would not last for the 20 year agreement. All they keep saying is the roof was not damaged by SunRun during installation, which I'm sure is a company line. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND doing business with this company. After you sign on the dotted line you're on your own.

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Surprise, Arizona that has a Sunrun leased system. The owner has called them twice and they never returned the calls, so they asked me the buyer to try. I called today and the person I talked to said, "Oh yes, I see there is a ticket open and messages to call you." She said she was "surprised the guy handling this hasn't called you yet, but he isn't in yet today." (1030 am) She said, "Let me send an email to his supervisor." I said, "Let me give you my number." She said, "No, we have it from the last time you called." I told her I have never called. "We have it," she said. So, she was just blowing me off. So, I will be contacting them on regular basis several times a day until someone returns my call. Both real estate agents involved will be going through the lawyers to see if there is anything their lawyers can do. All in an effort to do the right thing. What a shame!

On January 23, 2017 my roof started to leak significantly. I called Sunrun and informed them of the situation. Since then, they have sent several different contractors out to either look at or repair what they think is the problem. At no time did they remove their solar panels to make sure it wasn't coming from them. Last contractor said he was recommending a new roof replacement and Sunrun would be in touch. That was 3 weeks ago and no response from anyone despite several calls and emails to the company. Now I am stuck in limbo with a damaged leaking roof and close to 22,000 in interior damages. So much for their 100% guarantee of fixing any damages that are caused due to their installation of solar. Customer service is terrible and no one seems to care about the situation. Bad business practices and ethics.

So far product & service accurate as described. Friendly, consistent contact from first meeting. Timely setup. Always notified us ahead of time of step just completed & what step was next in process. Contact was both email and a real live person to talk with. Promptly answered any questions we had at any stage of the process.

Leonard, Matt, & Brandon were awesome! The process was long, 2+ months but was made up by finishing in 2 days. Constructive criticism would be to be better at communicating the timeline from the Project coordinator, with a phone call at least every 2-3 weeks. We were in the dark for close to 2 months before we heard anything. Other than that all of the staff were very professional and attentive. Thank you!

If all I can do is stop someone from buying into Sunrun, I will count my life complete. It's completely unacceptable how they are so ignorant, I got my solar panels about 3 months ago. I thought I was buying into something wonderful, however little did I know that my solar panels stopped producing energy after the first month and was never even told about the error until about 1 1/2 months ago.

They took half a month to realize something was wrong with them. After they stopped by and checked out the problem, which was by one of their partners known as 360 Management Group (Suntime Energy), the same people who installed my panels, and are as bad as Sunrun, after this it was a complete war. I haven't had energy from my solar panels for 2 months because of some error that was now being told was a "converter" is broken.

It only took 1 month to break the system, which is why I would tell anyone thinking of this to stay away. Every time I call now, I get ignored and get told the same time and I'm promised a callback, however I have never gotten a callback from them. It's always some new excuses that they have and make me wait longer. I've had to waste countless hours calling them and being ignored along with lied to every time. At the end of this, I'm still paying their "monthly" fees and I'm getting nothing in return.

Worst experience with this company, and I just had my solar installed no more than 5 days ago. Had a structure I was not sure if it was permitted when I purchased the house. I was told the company would check on any structures on the house be permitted before moving forward. Lo and behold the structure was not, made it VERY clear with this company MULTIPLE TIMES I would not choose solar over the structure (covered patio), but instead of informing me about the discrepancies I had, they said everything was good to go and went on with the project. Yes the structure was illegal, but they gave me no choice on what I wanted to do.

Now I have a violation with the structure which it's going to cost me 3 times more than what the solar is worth to fix. Save a couple dollars on solar but spend 30000$ to fix something else. How is that helping people save money? When they're just out to scam you any way they can. They don't care about the customers wants. Horrible team, horrible company.

When we set up our Power Purchase Agreement with Sunrun 5 years ago, installation was done by Verengo. Around the 3rd year, our system stopped producing. My only complaint in this process, is I was the one who caught it almost a month after it stopped because our PG&E true up was higher than it should be. I hope that Sunrun is more diligent at this point in alerting customers when systems go down. That is why the 4 stars and not 5. It took 2 months for the inverter to be fixed but that a Verengo issue. Sunrun worked well with me to "badger" them to get the work done. I am thrilled that Sunrun no longer charges you a true up for producing more than estimated and since PG&E prices are rising quickly and I am using more power with two teenage boys, they are working with me for a secondary system to alleviate my issues. Everyone I have dealt with has been great and professional.

My parents got solar panels. Took 7 months to get it on roof, took 3 months to turn it on and in the mix of all this the first company was sold and Sunrun took over and no one ever informed us. We had to find out by asking why the panels were not turned on yet and now our bill is higher than ever. We are paying up to 800$ a month for a electric bill and that is with the panels running. We are very unsatisfied with the service. We are ready to have them take them down.

We had Sunrun install panels almost five years ago, Philip ** came to the door last year to follow up to see how things were going and how we liked having solar. We have been very happy with the communication and followup. Sunrun notified us one day last year and stated they were noticing a potential concern. The tech walked us through a procedure and determined that a technician needed to personally come verify. He came out the following morning and confirmed the potential problem and resolved it that same morning. We are very happy customers and have recommended Sunrun to several friends.

To begin with the application, planning, permits, installation, and production was professional and excellent. I recommend Sunrun to any person that wants solar. Each and everyone that has a job or a position or performs a function is in my regards a professional and dedicated member. My experience with solar has been quick and efficient.

Before the solar panels were installed I told them I was selling my house. "No worries," they said. "The panels will move with you to the new house." Now they are saying that they can't be removed and if the new homeowners don't want them, I will have to pay. Now I feel like they were just trying to get a sale at my expense. I can't afford a new mortgage and the prospect of paying for a service that I won't be using. I am retired and on a fixed income. My decision was based on them being honest with me. At least I thought they were. Feeling scammed in Vegas.

I was talked into leasing solar panels from a door to door salesman named Paul **. He said the solar panels he would give me for free was worth 30k and would increase my home value by 10 percent. He had me promise to do favors for him after he signed me up for solar, explaining to me that I would be very fortunate and part of a lucky exclusive group of people pulling in huge savings each year. He told me that it was free because the government was paying for it, but only for the first 5 percent of customers and that I had to hurry to act before they reached their quota. He said that they had a contract with my current energy provider Duke Energy in which Duke would be buying back any additional energy the panels produced and that the money would go to me at the end of the year.

He went on to say 100% of my energy needs would be through Sunrun and not Duke Energy. Also that Duke Energy would only charge their flat rate of $9/month and that there were no added fees. I was currently paying $110 dollars a month with Duke and with Sunrun I would only be charged $66. It wasn't until after I got my first bill that I realized that Duke was charging me about 20 percent of my energy needs in addition to the flat rate. I am also paying sometimes more per month than I did with just Duke Energy in the winter. I immediately emailed customer service and asked to terminate the contract.

I would like to share the excellent experience I had in dealing with Sunrun. I first met Sarah ** my Solar Consultant a few months ago and have to ^say she has been the nicest, most helpful person throughout the entire process. She has been ^there from day one and always makes herself available to answer any questions that I have had throughout the process. I have also been really impressed with how Sarah is so knowledgeable and a consummate professional with a genuine desire to ^ensure that she takes excellent care of us. I have also been extremely impressed with the rest of the Sunrun Team from the Customer Service calls to all of the folks that ^were involved all the way through installation. I will gladly share my experience with all of my friends and will be recommending Sarah as the Solar Consultant of choice.

Although the system was approved for turn on Feb 1, 2017 and Sunrun reps have made sure, they left us a 3 ring binder with specs etc, there is no production. The response from Sunrun "someone will contact you within 5 days for an appointment." This is unacceptable to me!

My electric bill for the past 3 months have going up. We lease these panels so we're paying Sunrun and also paying the electrical bill which has become well over what our Sunrun bill is. So I'm paying over double. I talked with a service rep that will have a tech out soon. If they cannot fix this problem they can come get this system off my roof. And get some other company in that will take care of their customers.

Since day one nothing but a nightmare with this company. Took 6 months to have panels installed. As soon as they were my circuit breakers kept going off. Losing power each time. Called Sunrun given the run around right off the bat. I was told it was my problem and to hire an electrician and put in a new electrical box. I said you have been evaluating my house for the last 6 months and now after the fact it's my problem. Unreal. Two months back and forth with intermittent electrical power, loss of food in my refrigerator, no use of washer and dryer. Told them to take their panels down. Still getting same bill from PSEG and their bill on top of that. Countless promises they will never keep. Outright lies about energy production. No customer service whatsoever. This company is a nightmare... Stay away.

We purchased Solar system from Sunrun via Costco, you will think a company that Costco choose is trustworthy, how wrong we were. Good: Sales meeting and installation went very quickly, we were showed it will take less than 7 years to get our investment back; and promising the system is guaranteed as long as we own it.

Bad: Right after the installation, we noticed the system is not producing according to what's promised (15% of the spec). I call the installation representative, she told me (I'm quoting here) "You bought it, it's your problem". I talked to the Costco sales representative, he escalated up to management, and promised will take care of it. Long story short, I spent 3 months meeting with their various technicians to take the measurements of my system, and talking to different offices. They sent me a new plan to fix, which required adding a few more panels, and an installation date was set. I thought my problem is going to be fixed.

The very next day, I got a call from their corporate office saying my is performing bad expected, they won't be coming to do the fix! I told him what system is producing (which is 15% of the spec), and asked him, how is that meeting the spec? He asked where I got the measurement from. I told him directly from my inverter and also the app, and confirmed by their technician who came to my house. I have never heard back from this corporate guy. They are sending a manager from their local office to show me that my system is operating as spec and wants me to pay for any fixes! Still trying to resolve this Costco.

Sunrun Company Profile