Call toll free
3.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years or more.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT and WI

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1140 Sunrun Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Sunrun came to me through Costco and I went with them because I trust Costco's vetting of vendors. So, I trust Sunrun as well. I also feel a little bit safer because I feel like I can go back to Costco as an executive member and tell them if I was very unhappy with Sunrun. And I feel like Costco will help me deal with Sunrun.

On the day that I was supposed to turn the electricity on, Sunrun told me that I was supposed to go in the garage and turn the levers on. I did that and it worked, but it scared the hell out of me. I wanted them to do that and I couldn't believe that with a $20,000 system, they couldn't send somebody to my house to turn it on for me. Then, after everything was done, I called up and told Sunrun that I saw two doves die from electrical shock. I asked them how do we address that and in the end, I had to go find another firm to do the critter guards. I wish Sunrun talked to me about that and had that as part of their system. Also, there's no way to clean the panels and I have to go find myself a way to clean them if they get dirty. So there is no follow up service plan with Sunrun.

Sunrun's reps were very good though when I called them up in a panic because initially, I didn't understand very well why on a cloudy day, my production went all over the place. So, I complained to some of their people. But one of them told me that since I bought my system, I was no longer their concern. I found out who’s the head of that company then I called right away and told them what I was being told. I made this big investment and it's not like I could call my local electrician or plumber about it. And out here in California, PG&E has been trying to help solar people but they’re such a mess of themselves right now that we don't have them behind us to help us.

Another thing that's still very unclear to me is how to get a new panel if one of my panels breaks. Aside from that, I got my system done in June and when Sunrun came out with this battery, I wanted it but they're telling me that I can't have it because I'm an old Sunrun customer. So I'm not able to have a battery where my extra electricity would go into and if the power goes out, I don't have my own battery there to back me up. I also heard that people are having struggles with the one bill that they get at the end of the year. Depending on how many panels you have, your bill could be 1,000, 2,000, or 3,000, and it would be hard to challenge your end bill. Plus, the electric company is supposed to be buying back my electricity but that's very foggy, too. I've heard that they'd pay us 5 cents a kilowatt and they charge 45 cents a kilowatt for people to use our electricity. That's why I'm really big on wanting my own battery.

And because PG&E is having such a grid problem when they wanna do their growing turn-offs during the terrible summertime, I would like to have my own electricity from my battery to back me up when the lights go off. But Sunrun told me that the box wasn't compatible with the solar panels and it made me feel like they dumped their old inventory on me without telling me that those people that got installed in July were gonna be the only ones to have the battery.

Apparently, all of Sunrun's money and resources are going into getting people up and running and they do that very well. But when it comes to aftercare or even explaining it, they need to put some smart people there who'll be able to talk to customers because people get scared. Other than that, Sunrun's product is amazing and their service all the way up to the installation of the panels was fabulous. In fact, the people I had on the roof who put the critter guards on said that the panels look very good. I've also had electricians work on other things and they said the panels look amazing.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Patricia. We're thrilled to hear you were able to take advantage of our partnership with Costco, it's one we are very proud of. We're sorry that you were unable to get a battery backup as part of your installation, but we are currently working on the best way to make these available for all our customers, both new and existing. As for panel replacement, if you ever notice that a panel on your home has been damaged, just reach out to our customer care department and we can set up a dispatch for you and ensure that any broken panels get back to good working order. We're always here to help with any question or concern that may arise. Congratulations on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We continue to pour carbon into the atmosphere and we're all gonna pay that price so we felt going solar was the right thing to do. I have a college friend who works for a solar energy company in Southern California who's always singing praises of the technological improvements that have been made. He's too far away for me to talk to him but I knew that California was in the process of passing legislation requiring new homes to have solar systems. I knew that the solar systems had improved a bit so I had somebody come to the house and talk to us.

When the Sunrun sales rep came to our house, he had already done a Google maps search and found our house. He already knew the square footage of the home and the orientation, and he had a rough design of the system. So it was a no-brainier. And when we started talking about his company, he was very willing to give us contact, names of people whom we could call who had Sunrun experiences. He was great. He came back to us with a proposal and I had some questions so he came back to the house again. I had more questions and he came back to the house again. Fortunately, he lives a couple of towns away from where we live, so that worked out really well. He used to stop at the house either on his way to work or on his way home from work. So it was really great. It felt like we were getting hand-holding which is always nice. The questions were answered to our satisfaction.

After that, we had to decide whether to lease the panels through Sunrun or purchase it. We decided to purchase it given a shorter payback period. Fortunately, we had the money to do that. The sales rep explained the federal tax credit so I understood how that worked. Unfortunately, we're in New Hampshire where there's no personal income tax and no sales tax so New Hampshire is always broke. There was a state tax credit but they ran out of money so we lost out on that. That would have been a couple thousand dollars which would have been nice. But that wasn't a deal breaker. We called in through Comcast. Comcast had a deal where they provided us with a $600 prepaid debit card which was nice. So, we took advantage of everything and my wife and I both understood exactly what we were getting into.

After that, the sales rep quickly handed our account off to a project manager and they were handling all the paperwork such as the permits for the town that we live in, the contact with our utility to get the utility to do the hook up then the conversion of the net-zero meter, and the scheduling of the installation of the system. Everybody at Sunrun was really very communicative about what was happening and where things stood. I was always up-to-date. Everything that was happening was exactly what the sales rep told us was going to happen. The process affirmed what we anticipated and we came to expect that things were just going to continue running smoothly, which they did. Sunrun had also warned us that getting the utility to switch over the meter could sometimes take weeks, if not, a month or more. But in the end, it was just a couple of weeks so we were up and running two or three weeks sooner than I anticipated.

When we got our first month electric bill for my utility, just based on the dates and the way the system was tied up and connected to the utility grid, it wasn't a full month, but our electricity bill dropped from roughly $150 a month during the summer time to 35 bucks. That was the partial month. When we got our first full month of generating electricity bill from the utility, it was $13. And when we got our second bill a week and a half ago, it was $12.98 and that amount is the utility charge to be connected to the grid. So we're not paying anything for electricity.

All of our electricity is being generated plus we're now banking credits. In New Hampshire, whatever excess we generate goes back out to the street. And as the meter turns backwards, we're actually generating credits with the utility. Right now, we have about a month and a half worth of credits stored up right and those credits will be used when we get into December, January, February, March because we have long winters in New Hampshire. We know that the system won't generate as much then as it does in these summer months but those credits that we're banking will help defray the larger utility bills during the winter months. Overall, we're very pleased with our decision to go solar. My family is blessed that we can afford to do this.

Sunrun response

Thank you so very much for sharing your story, Edward! We were delighted to read your review. Our aim is to make solar as user-friendly as possible and make sure that our customers are in the loop every step of the way! Congratulations on doing your part to reduce your carbon footprint and for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I went to a vendor fair and SolarCity was there. I asked them to give me a quote, so they did. At the time, I wanted to get three competitive bids, so I went on the internet and responded to something suggesting that I was looking into solar. Then I got some calls from solar companies, Sunrun being one of them. Their rep asked me how much my bill was and I told him. However, he said they couldn't do anything for me because I didn’t spend enough to warrant solar. Still, I told him to give me a bid anyway so I could be sure that I was getting a good deal from SolarCity which I chose because of the Tesla brand that I respect. But then, this Sunrun guy spent about an hour with me on the phone and he gave a lot of education. He taught me how to read my electric bill and we went over all of that. Also, he told me that Sunrun works through Costco, which impressed me because I trust Costco.

The Sunrun rep was so patient and very informative. He did a much better job of educating me about the whole solar process and ended up giving me a quote for the minimum size that they could quote, which is 10 panels. It was only $700 more than SolarCity's but it was larger because SolarCity did a smaller system. So I told him that I would go with Sunrun because I trust Costco over Tesla. Also, I didn’t mind buying more than I needed because I’m hoping my next car would be electric, so I’ll probably need more panels.

I've been going solar since mid-June when it went live. The Sunrun team is very professional and they keep you informed. They’ll keep in touch with you every step of the way, letting you know what’s going on. They were good at predicting how long the process would take because it does take a lot longer. Most people don’t realize that solar is not something you just buy and it happens overnight. They have to get permits and then the city’s PG&E has to come out and inspect it. Also, the city has to inspect it as well before you go live.

There was one guy that irritated me though. He was the one who came out and inspected my house to measure, to make sure the roof was okay for solar. I hope I don't sound prejudicial, but he was Filipino. I asked him to go up by a ladder through the hole in the garage to get to the roof but he insisted that he would go through this crawlspace in my hallway that had never been opened. Also, I didn’t want him to go there because there was another access point. Still, he acted like he knew better than me and he was not gonna take directions from some ** female. There was insulation above that thing so I asked him when he came down if he put it back the way it was, which he couldn’t possibly do because once he put the wood down, he couldn’t lay that to make sure that it was flat and covering everything properly. He said yes but after he left, I noticed that the wood wasn’t even flat. It wasn’t correct.

I talked to the next two people who came and to everybody. I expected them to deal with this man and tell him, “I’m the customer. You listen to the customer. Also, give your guy some training.” The reps both promised they would. I could tell they followed up because they had it in their notes. The next person that came, someone I've never met before, asked to look at the site. So I knew that the word was passed along and that they were going to make right for what this guy did. That was good.

I went to the climate change rally in San Francisco on Saturday and I felt good that if anybody would ask, I could say I went solar because it’s the right thing to do. It wasn't about the need to save money because my electric bill was $38. I looked at the history in the app to see how much I’m spending or saving, and it has only been four days since it went live but I’ve used more than I sent to the grid. I pretty much send electricity to the grid every day, although it could change in the winter. I bank my extra energy for a time when I might need some. Overall, going solar has been great.

Sunrun response

Thank you very much for sharing your story, Diane! Our aim is to make solar as easily accessible for as many people as we can, and we are so happy to hear you were able to take advantage of that. I'm sorry to hear about the mishap with the gentleman in your home, but am happy to hear we got it corrected. Congratulations on going green! And thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: June 24, 2018

Home Solar Installation - 06/06/18, Wednesday. The Sunrun team arrived with 3 vehicles and 8 workers. Initially there was a problem on where to put the inverters and associated equipment. The Supervisor and I discussed options and concerns. Finally, a location just behind the fence gate was chosen. They went to work without delay and I was very impressed with the work ethic… In fact, I don’t think I observed them ever taking a break and I came out once every half hour to an hour to observe and to photograph the progress.

Most of the work in the beginning is on preparing the roof for the solar panels… measurements, anchor and attach points, cutting rails to size, wires, conduit, and of course, installing the inverters on the side of the house. There is a lot of preparation work that has to be done that most people will not notice unless they watch all the time. A midday shower with lightning did interrupt work for an hour. Because of their continuous work, I bought them lunch so they can relax and enjoy it during the rain. They finally quit fairly late and would be back the next day.

06/07/18, Thursday. The team returned (all the way from Tampa) at 9:30 and got right to work again. This is when everything started coming together. This is when I got to observe their honesty and integrity. Apparently one of my portable solar LED lights was damaged the day before without me noticing it. They purchased a new one and gave it to me with their apologies for breaking the old one. I have hired many professionals that have broken some of my equipment. Rarely would they even mention it leaving me to find out long after they were gone.

Every time I came out to see what was going on, you could see more and more panels installed. The equipment on the side of the house was finished and the installation looked absolutely perfect. Again it appeared that no breaks were taken until the very end when too many people could hamper the final work. Testing was done to make sure the panels were producing power. I was given instructions on how to operate the system and when I could expect the final approval to turn the system on to produce my own energy. The team finished up around 1:30 pm, cleaned up the area and then I took them out for a late lunch before they had to head back to the warehouse.

Total Impression. I have always wanted to have a solar panel installation and I have previously gotten estimates from different places. As with the other companies, I got the Sunrun estimate and through several cycles of exchanging information, I started to question the amount of money for the whole project. It wasn’t until after the project was finished that I realized the amount of work that goes into it. Much of this is behind the scenes work that you may or may not see. Some of those items are work permits and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that working with local and federal governments can be a pain in the rear.

Other behind the scenes work are calculating previous total power usage, house orientation and roof angles, plus engineering and construction plans take up many hours to figure out how to generate the most power using the least amount of panels. Then, the installation of using 8 workers for nearly two days of labor, the inverters, panels, wiring, anchors, rails and everything that goes into this project to make it a reality… this is when you realize the amount of money needed to buy the equipment, pay the workers and still make a profit for the company.

The very next day, Matt, a Sunrun representative, called to outline the remaining steps to the day when I can turn on the system. My contacts, Chris, Maegen and Matt have helped me through the entire process and their efforts are truly appreciated. I am very impressed with the quality, integrity and professionalism of the workers in this project. June 20, 2018. I knew it would be almost two weeks before I get the new meter from the power company but I received a notice saying that the paperwork was not correct because of the classification tier of my project. I notified my reps, Maegan, Chris and Matt via email about the problem. June 22, 2018. Great customer service. The paperwork was finished AND my new meter was installed and I am getting my energy from the sun.

The only negative I have for Sunrun was the fact that if my commercial power fails for any reason, then I don't get the benefits of my solar panels. This was not clearly explained to me. Since I live in Florida where there is a chance of hurricanes, or lightning will take out the power in the local area or the many stupid drivers here will take down a power pole... this was pretty darn important to me. Knowing that in advance would not have changed my mind, I would have looked for other ways to provide power in such an event. I recently found out that the State of Florida is now allowing Sunrun to add a battery system to their systems. This would allow you to continue generating power to your home even when commercial power is out. Had I known this before, I would have added it to my system.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Rick! We really enjoyed reading your review! We are so thrilled to hear about your satisfaction with choosing to go solar with Sunrun. We are in hopes that the rest of your experience with us will exceed that. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was very satisfied with my decision to go solar with Sunrun. They were least costly than SunPower. And their panels aren’t quite as efficient but the company itself is very efficient. And during the installation, I told them that I didn’t want to have a Tetris-looking system. I've seen some really screwed up looking designs on people’s roof. Based on the way that my roof was, they had to make two rectangles instead of just a big one which I was fine with because I didn’t have six little rectangles placed where there are almost all of the rectangles but there's one panel missing. I was very happy with the way that they did it all. Also, I'm getting the benefits that I expected from the system.

However, the problem I have with them is that they told me that if I sign up for an ACH draft where they’d take the money directly out of my account every month, it would be $7.50 cheaper. I figured that in 20 years, that's going to add up. So I went with it despite me normally doing my stuff on BillPay. However, I specifically told them that I had to have it come out at the beginning of the month because I'm on disability and I get my check once a month at the end of the month. But it seemed like the girl I was talking on the phone only cared about getting my routing and checking number and she wasn't doing anything to make that happen. But then I gave them my routing and checking account numbers.

What ended up happening was, they took out two months’ worth of payment not at the beginning of the month like I said but at the end of the month and it hit my bank account when I didn’t have any money left. My system was turned on by the beginning of January and in March they sent me a statement saying I owed them $400. So, my account was overdue because I wasn’t counting on it and it was really messed up. Then, charges got bounced at my bank because of it. All of a sudden I have hundreds of dollars of overdraft charges and bad accounting with my bank because of that. And then, just recently I looked on the statement and there was an extra $7.50 charged.

I emailed the customer service about it and they told me that that happened because I didn't sign up for the ACH draft. I told them I did and that I gave them my checking account and my routing numbers. So I'm not very happy about that at all. They should do something to make it right because that really screwed me up.

Sunrun response

Thanks for reaching out, David! We sincerely appreciate you sharing your positive experience. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun. A specialist has reached out to clarify your billing concerns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2019

The system worked very well for just about one year then stopped working completely. I called them and they promised to email me within two days to give me a repair date. They did not email me. I called them again and they promised to have someone call me the same day to set up a repair date. No call from them. In the meantime, it is generating no electricity but my lease payment is still expected to be paid while getting no value for it in return. Would not recommend this company based on very poor customer service and the I don't care attitude!

Sunrun response

Thank you for the communication, Ken. We certainly are disappointed to hear that you feel we do not care about your system issue. That is definitely not the case, we'd love the opportunity to discuss your experience and ensure that a technician gets out to your home as soon as possible. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2019

We installed a system that was supposed to meet the energy draw and even added more panels just to make sure that we were covered. Imagine our surprise when we got a $750 bill from PG&E for 'true-up'. I called Sunrun to come to check on the system and, while the customer rep was very polite and scheduled for a field person to come out, that person never came. Never called. No follow-up contact whatsoever. When I realized no one was going to call, I called again and got a supervisor. At first she tried to blame me that I hadn't sent the pictures they had asked for...I hate those kinds of tactics! When I told her that I had proof that they had been sent (I gave her the time and date they were emailed), she finally acknowledged that she 'found' them.

When I asked what happened to the technician who was supposed to come she identified that he had apparently just canceled the order. Poof! He just cancelled the order...for no reason, with no contact with me...nothing! When I suggested that it would be good for them to identify who did that, there was no interest in doing so. So, I guess that employee gets away with such irresponsibility and, surely, it will be done to someone else. Anyway, this supervisor said that she would make sure this got taken care of and someone would give me a call to schedule a time. Nothing. No one called. There was no follow through---AGAIN.

Now more weeks go by and I have another $700 bill from PG&E. This amount of money is absurd when you know how little is actually on the system. PG&E came out and, with their equipment, could show me how little of the solar was coming through. I relayed this to Sunrun. Even after all their lack of accountability, there was no effort from Sunrun to make this a priority as the next appointment they could give was still a week away...and that's even if they show up. There have got to be better solar companies out there who will respond to customer needs ---Sunrun definitely isn't one of them.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the communication, Peg. We certainly understand the concern with your system issues and getting a high utility bill. We want to make sure that someone gets out there in a timely manner and we get to the bottom of what is going on with your system. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: May 3, 2019

We have solar panels installed in 2006 when it was only REC solar. For about 2 months our solar system is not working. I called them and it took 2 weeks for a technician to show up and he diagnosed that our inverter is gone and need replacement and he or someone will call me in a couple of days. No one did in a week. I called back and I was transferred to a lady named Sony at **. Talked to her and she told me she will call me in a day. No call. Called her again in 2 days she said she will call me. No call again. It's a horrible experience. On the other hand, I recently had a larger panel put by Tesla, their service is phenomenal. I had an issue and they came the next day and took care of it. If Sunrun does not get their acts together, keep away from them.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Nirupam. We certainly understand your frustration with not receiving a call back when you were expecting one. We'd love the opportunity to speak with you about your experience, a specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: May 3, 2019

Our home passed there site survey and inspections. They climbed on our roof said it was fine our electric was new just everything was good to go. We already had the money approval salesman was very nice to start. When the installation crew came they again looked around the house checked the electrical out said all was ok.

Next we hear drilling into our roof for it seemed like a half hour or so. Then it was quiet for at least 35-40 min thought it was break time. Then the one of the installation men comes to the door and says after being on the roof one of the men feels the shingles are too brittle. Well why would you start drilling into my roof attaching your solar boxes to my siding losing some of my flashing and my electrical wire on the side of the home. From a ladder a person can tell if shingles are brittle also from the inspection and survey it should have been pointed out.

So now I have holes in my roof but no solar panels I have solar boxes attached to my house but no solar. Once the boxes are gone they will put silicone in the holes they put but I will have some unsightly holes where I never had them before. I am at a loss everyone was very nice to us up until they couldn’t install then it seems they don’t care. I honestly hope they prove me wrong. Thank you.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, James. We certainly understand your concern over damage to your home and not being able to go through with the installation. We want to ensure that any damage we may have caused is reversed, or figure out an alternative for installation. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 3, 2019

Sales pitch, installation, and service were impeccable. I'm very pleased to this point, I'm awaiting the inspection from Com Ed, SFO. I've yet to start using my system, but My concern is with paying 2 bills... one to Sunrun and another to my energy provider. Looking for a clearer explanation about the $81 I'm contacted to pay Sunrun per month. Since there is supposedly no out of pocket cost for the panels and their installation. Then what exactly is this payment covering; and Is this a lifetime payment? How's that work if I'm on vacation for 2/3 weeks or a month and there's no too very minimal kilowatt usage in my home during that time; am I still on the hook for the $81, or does that number come down as well? Just need a clearer understanding!

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Keith. We are very happy to hear that things have been so far so good. It sounds like some things may not have been clearly explained though, and we'd love the opportunity to answer your questions and make sure we're all on the same page! A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 1, 2019

Financing Sunrun Solar product through Costco, a trusted brand, an expected a superior product. Just received a $1,700 PG&E bill because the system stopped working after just two months of installation. So now I’m paying a $140 a month to finance the Sunrun product and have to pay the $1.700 energy bill because the product I purchased did not work properly shortly after installation. Sunrun offered a $200 refund, which is an insult. I should not have to pay an electric bill due to a faulty product. This of course means if the system goes down at any point over the next several years I’m on the hook for these expenses as well. Please Sunrun come and remove the system from my roof now!!! I no longer want to be in this one-sided partnership. I pay you whether your product works or not. This is the honeymoon phase and the relationship is already sour.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Marc. We are certainly disappointed to hear that your system had technical issues for so long. It is unfortunate when an issue does not get identified early on. We'd be more than happy to speak to you about your experience, a specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: April 30, 2019

A friend of ours is a Sunrun representative and she presented it to us, and it made good sense. We have had the system installed for about a year now and the experience with Sunrun has been seamless. It took a couple of months for it to really start building up the energy, but it worked. It took three months to build up the energy so that it would lower our anticipated debt and we would start seeing some savings. Everything was told to us upfront what would happen, so it wasn't a big surprise either. The only problem we had is that their office got the wrong address in there somehow and our representative worked her tail off to get it changed. It was like everything she did didn't happen and it made it sticky for a while. It caused a bit of hesitation on being able to get things started, but once it got corrected, it went very smoothly and it was convenient.

The person that we worked with was wonderful and really followed through on everything she said she would follow through on, and it made it very easy to do. The installation went really well. They were there when they said they were gonna be there. There were no surprises and they got everything done well the first time. They also fixed a couple of tiles that broke during installation.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Julie and Chris! We are so pleased to hear that your project went fairly smooth! It sounds like any issues you may have run into were taken care of as quickly as possible to get your project moving again. We're happy to know that you are reaping the benefits of that system now. Congrats on going green! Thanks so much for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 29, 2019

We debated whether or not to get solar; and finally went with Sunrun. Their sales team is persistent and on-top of things. I was told there would be no out of pocket costs by the sales team and Sunrun would take care of any roof modifications. The installation process was actually pretty good. PM was on top of things; and everything was installed with little attention required from me. The system was installed at activated for Feb 1, 2019.

By Feb 28, 2019 - smoke was coming out of the inverter and a strong burning/electrical smell; and quickly turned off the system - thank God this was caught in the knick of time. After over 3 weeks, someone from Sunrun comes to look at what was wrong and the tech says "looks like they used the wrong fuse. It was too small. Good thing this was shut off because it could have caused a fire." Glad to know my new solar power system could have caused a fire with kids in the house - great job guys (not!).

So finally, they come to fix the system in April. Basically, the system was down for over 1 month. I asked for a credit for the month that the system did not work. Customer service said it needed additional approval to grant me credit for the system not working..I'm still waiting for 1 month credit. So Sunrun repaired the system; and within a week, fault messages were coming. Called customer service, and crickets as to when someone will come back to fix it - AGAIN. After 4 months since installation, my system has only worked for less than 4 weeks!

And back to my earlier comment of when Sunrun told me there would be no out of pocket cost to install. I get a random collections notice from ARM Solutions to pay Sunrun $355 for roof repairs. Called up customer service and they said we never sent you a bill and sorry it went to collections. So now, I have to pay $355 after being told my out of pocket would be $0 and insult to injury, they send me to collections without ever telling me there was cost involved on a system that does not work. Of course, I paid it off..I have almost perfect credit - so not going to let an irresponsible company like Sunrun ruin it. Moral of the story - run away from Sunrun!! The next 20 years of life with them looks to be fun. What a joke of a place.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Vijay. We certainly understand your concerns with the system issues you faced. Safety is of the utmost importance and we're so thankful that the wiring issue did not turn into something worse. If you are still having system errors, we definitely want to make sure we get someone back out there. We also would love to speak with you about that charge you received. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I am living here in Arizona and I might as well take advantage of the sun, so I decided to look into getting solar energy services. It is also a lot easier to get into and my credit score is way up there, so I had no problem doing it. Enrolling with Sunrun was easy. I got a 20-year option to buy. I am set at a certain rate and I know what my bill is gonna be every month, especially right now with summertime coming up, when the temperature’s gonna be the way it is. It runs about almost $350 a month and more, so at least I am on a set rate now. I’m very satisfied and everything is good. That is why I recommended it to my people.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Ruben! We are so pleased to hear that going solar was such an easy process for you! Arizona is an excellent place to take advantage of all that the sun has to offer and save some money in the process! Congrats on going solar, and thanks so much for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 28, 2019

I met one of Sunrun's salespeople before we bought our home and when we decided to go solar, we asked her because she and my wife had become friends. We went online in September of last year and our experience with Sunrun has been hit and miss. We had problems when we turned the system on. They put in the electric and they were ready to put the solar up, but they hadn't done the electric yet because the company they used to do the electric had rescheduled. The right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. They finally got the electric done then they came and put the panels in, but one of the guys miswired something so the system didn't go online. They came out and fixed that. We also have an existing problem that they haven't been able to figure out yet. It keeps flipping the circuit breaker.

The last time I called, the rep was very pleasant on the phone, although it took about three weeks for them to show up. It was like, "We got the system in so we really don't care whether we service you or not." As far as the cost or energy consumption, it costs me 12 bucks a month no matter what we use. I am not thrilled with Sunrun and if I were to do it again, I would research more and I am not sure I would use them.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the communication, Jeffery. We certainly understand your frustration with these electrical issues you've been dealing with. We'd love the chance to speak with you more about what you're experiencing. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Told batteries would be available by December 2018. Was told that the batteries were being approved by Texas reps by our sales person. We are still waiting and all that Sunrun main office says they will not be available for some time now. So no better explanation was given to me and this is unacceptable.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Kirk. We certainly understand your want for a battery add-on. At this point in time, Brightbox batteries are only available in very few select markets. We hope to be able to expand into the Texas market, but there are no current set plans or timelines for this. We're more than happy to address any lingering questions or concerns that you have, a specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I guess these guys are making tons of money to turn away business. I was on the phone with a customer service rep just talking about setting up consultation. They want a lot of information other companies don't ask right off the bat, including a quick speech about your credit rating. Then wanted to use my phone number to send and receive text messages. I declined that option and basically was told if I don't opt, then we can't do business. And this was a consultation. I can only imagine the process from here!

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Thomas. We certainly can understand your concerns with your struggles getting a consultation set up. We really do not need that much information to get you in touch with a solar adviser to discuss your options. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly to discuss this situation!

Original review: April 27, 2019

I would NEVER refer this company to my worst enemy! No one deserves the headache and misleading words from their sales rep! This company should be shut down or refund everyone’s money back! I wish my family NEVER got involved with SunRun! The sales rep told us and so does their automated answering machine that you can move and take your panels with you to your new home. LIE. We are from the east coast. Raccoons is a big problem there. Turns out the west coast has a pigeon problem. Lo and behold we had dozens of babies and their nest under our panels.

When I explained to customer service the havoc pigeon feces can do to a persons lungs. They laughed and said we should of gotten critter guard. I had no idea what critter guard was. She explained it and my argue was if I was selling you a car in Montana wouldn’t you want me as a sales rep to mention all weather floormats? Why didn’t your sales rep have information on critter guards? That would of been helpful because now we have eggs all over our yard. We have to walk our dogs on a leash in our own fenced in back yard because of all the pigeon feces and eggs.

Not to mention, the inverter is broken every other month! It is now 100 degrees in Nevada and guess what? The inverter is broken again. We also are buying a new house and SunRun said, "No we cannot take your panels off and can not bring them to your new home." I don’t know why a sales rep or their automated message would say we could... So this sucks! We financed them because we were under the impression that they were OURS to keep but now we have to pay them off at closing and give them to someone else. What a waste of $17,000. If there is a lawsuit out on SunRun, could someone please let me know?

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Crystal. We certainly understand your frustration with not being told about a critter guard during the sales process, as well as not getting clear information about the relocation of the system. We'd be more than happy to discuss these concerns with you and explain our current processes for these situations. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: April 26, 2019

A neighbor had Sunrun and I looked into it. I had a good experience with the salesperson. However, he purposely did not give me the right information and the company didn’t accommodate in the same manner that I was told. That was in the contract and I had to challenge them on it. It took a long time to get established and they ended up taking an extra payment. I’ve emailed several times to get them to give me back the overcharge but to no avail, and I just chalked it up. There was a point in the contract where you could pay off the full balance early without any payment penalty, therefore not having to pay a finance fee. So, that’s what I did and yet when I paid it off, they kept showing as if I still had a monthly payment due and they had still drafted it from my account, even though I have given them a check for around $28,000.

I paid off a 20-year plan in full, which was always my intent because if I paid it off over 20 years, it would’ve been $40,000. The only way that it would be a benefit to me was if I paid it off early. I got free installation and it was what the salesperson said was a viable option. It was in the contract worded that way. They never had somebody do that, so the company challenged me on it. I had to jump through a lot of hoops and they eventually said I was right. So, they did one bill and automatically drafted me, then they showed me another that I still owed the next month of around $140. I do not owe them $140 and they owe me $140 because they took it after I paid them off.

They had a representative contact me and say sorry that they made my account balances zero. I contacted them back and I said that they made my account balances zero as if I didn’t owe them any money, but they never gave me back my $140. I went through that for the longest time. They literally never returned my call and it was a supervisor. I would leave a detailed message but I never heard anything. After a while, I thought that I was just done with it. I hate for that to ruin the experience because Sunrun was saving me a ton of money. Going solar was the biggest, no-brainer decision ever.

You can only legally get enough for 20,000 kilowatts per year and I utilize 50,000 kilowatts per year, so it was cutting my electric bill for a time. My monthly bill would’ve been around $140 if I hadn’t paid it off monthly. Then, I would have to pay Duke Energy my regular utility bill. Before Sunrun, I was paying roughly $600 a month, but now, after paying off Sunrun, I have bills between 50 and around 120, so it is literally hundreds of dollars difference every month. However, they still should have given back the $140 to me. It was a lack of their customer service department. Once you have the product up, they just don’t know what they are doing. They had poor follow-through to realize what they had done and to rectify it. Nonetheless, I recommend Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Patricia. We are certainly happy to here that the system has been a benefit to you and you've been able to cut down on your energy costs. We'd love to speak to you about your customer experience though, and work on getting you any money that might be owed back to you! A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: April 25, 2019

I looked into getting a solar energy service to get a reduction in my utility bill. I ran the numbers and saw that there was a possibility for a payout in eight years. Sunrun had installed a system at my work and when I was still working, Sunrun was vetted by the agency, and they were one of the companies that was recommended by them. Enrolling was simple and painless. I had leased the system from them and I did a one-time payout on the lease so I don’t have monthly lease payments.

The installation of the system was professional and its operation was pretty seamless. However, I am somewhat limited in the reduction of my utility bill because of the direction of the sun and I live in an area that has numerous large trees. I have a large home, but it happens to be three stories. My roof line is quite limited and they couldn’t put too many panels up. I would’ve loved to have had more panels and possibly more sun energy than our utility energy. I contacted Sunrun a few years ago about cleaning the panels because I saw that the efficiency of my unit went down. I had a little trouble contacting them, but they got back to me and said that there was no need to do that.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Walter! We are so pleased to hear that going solar with Sunrun was so easy for you! Maybe down the line, we can discuss putting more panels up if you feel that may be necessary. We have some solar advisers you can discuss that with who can work with you on getting a properly sized second system for your needs. Please let us know if you ever want to pursue that! Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: April 24, 2019

We bought our house 2 years ago. The previous owner paid his lease in full and we have basically been thrilled with the savings we see. However, In 2 years there has been 2 times that we don't show any energy generation. Last year it was in the middle of the summer so our electric bill was quite high. Luckily this time has not been as hot so our bills did not jump up. However, I do think 2 failures in 2 years is too many AND I would have liked to have someone come out and tell me if we had any other options like more panels or some sort of storage system. My husband rolls his eyes when I say that, but I want to be comfortable. Both times we were not generating for almost a full month before someone notified us. If they are monitoring our system I would appreciate more timely notice.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Toni! We certainly can understand your concern with these service issues you keep encountering. We'd love the opportunity to talk to you about these concerns as well as discuss what options you have for getting more panels or adding a battery. A specialist will be reaching out to you directly.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I've always been interested on solar and wind. When it was new, it has been out on the West Coast forever but here in Texas, they really didn't wanna do it, or it was cutting into the big oil companies and their profits and everything else that they screwed the economy on. When I first moved in my house, the solar panels and a water heater were already on. I was the second owner. The big 80-gallon tank water heater is in my garage but every time I went to try to fix it, I could never get the pump to work. I found out that calcium has built up in the solar panels and nobody worked on it.

I got a friend in Denver, Colorado and when I went there, it was all solar panels and that sparked my interest. Tony was the one who reached out to me. I made him talk and he gave me the whole Sunrun deal but all I needed to know were how many panels, where they were gonna put them and when I was going to get a battery pack. We have our storms and that was my main concern because my house is all electric. So, with all of the home improvements, AC, insulation, windows and all of that, solar was my only option because nobody's doing wind yet. If I can have a wind turbine, I'd put that on here too but I can't do a generator because we don't have gas in the neighborhood. So, I would have to store gasoline in my garage and hope it doesn't blow up.

I’m trying to save energy and for my peace of mind, I’m trying to make my house as environmental-friendly as I can. I even have a water filtering system. So, with the hurricanes and storms we get in Texas, I never know when we're gonna have to boil water. I'm good with water but I'm trying to get electricity. I'm trying to get off the grid in the city. I asked Tony to get me a great package deal on some battery packs. When we have hurricanes here in Houston, I wanna have electricity. Here, we would be without lights for almost a week. It depends on where you at and how bad it is, so I need some off the grid power. I’m waiting right now on Brightbox because I’ve got the solar. I need the battery packs or a good cost on the them. When our lights go out, I need energy because of my wife's health. Generators would have been good but no gas. So, solar is my next option.

Enrolling with Sunrun was very easy and I understood some of it as far as the billing but I was trying to understand again as far as me having a bill from Sunrun and then me having a bill from Think Energy. It depends on how much energy I produce to save and at the time when it was installed, it was more during the winter months where days are shorter and more clouds. So, I'm looking forward now being the summertime to where it's hotter. I know the solar panels absorb heat in the sun, so I should be producing good for the next winter.

I was using Stream Energy which was one of the cheaper ones on the market and on the average, in the summertime, my bill would be somewhere in the ballpark of $190. In the wintertime, it would be somewhere in the ballpark of 160. With Sunrun, it would be 132. The first few months I had with Think Energy, the highest I paid was $76 so, I was still kinda within that range. However, just last month, I got my bill from Think Energy and it was $7. So, I'm on my way.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Gregory! We're delighted to hear you were able to go solar with Sunrun and reap some of the benefits that go along with solar energy. We're hoping that we can expand the battery pack to the Texas market very soon! We're still trying to get everyone on board with solar in general down there. Once it's available, I assure you we will send the notification out! Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 23, 2019

Sales manager from Palatine, Abdul run my credit score on Experian without my consent. He said, he just needed my SS for verification...He lied to me that he actually checking my score for the contract with them. All I needed just information about solar batteries. He did not ask me directly, if it's ok to check my score. Very bad experience. This company is not doing honest business.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, Olga. We are disappointed to hear of your poor experience with a sales rep. We'd love the opportunity to address these concerns with you. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly!

Original review: April 23, 2019

Enrolling with Sunrun was pretty easy. They did everything and they did the assessment. They kept up with the coverage, how much electricity would be produced, more percentage based on my bill, whether they are leasing or financing. That went pretty smoothly. Everything seemed fine in the installation process as well. So far, I'm satisfied and I would do it again.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Jim! We are so delighted to hear that enrollment and installation went so well! We are honored to be chosen as your solar service provider, and please never hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 23, 2019

Enrolling with Sunrun was great, simple and easy. I actually chose Tesla but I was for another six months out before getting solar on my house. So, I switched to Sunrun because they could get solar on my house in 45 days. The guys who came out to install were great. I had a really good time with them. I'm super satisfied with my system. I now have $13 power bills and usually, I'm like 200 or 300 normally.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Ryan! We are honored to be chosen as your solar service provider. We aim to make enrollment smooth and project timelines as short as possible. We are thrilled to hear that you have been reaping the benefits of that system since activation and have been able to #savewiththesun! Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 22, 2019

My electric bill was way high as I was using the air conditioner because of the heat. It wasn't worth paying 500 bucks a month and so I started looking into solar power services. It was at Costco where I first heard of Sunrun and they were the company that I signed up with. Overall, I'm satisfied with my decision to go solar. The enrollment process was very easy. They explained everything thoroughly so it was great. They were also very responsive. Once, I had something company and they came right out and took care of it. Then, for the installation, they came out here when they said they were gonna be here and they put the system up as quickly as they could. Sunrun was great and I'm happy.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Rosalie! We are so pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our partnership with Costco, it's one we are very proud of. It sounds like enrollment and install went very smoothly for you! Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 22, 2019

We've been thinking about going solar for quite a while. Sunrun's team was at Costco and that said a lot. That was a good sign that Costco would partner with somebody. My experience enrolling with Sunrun was wonderful. The rep was very good and very knowledgeable. The installation went as smooth as glass too. They had a fantastic team that came out and set up 32 panels fully in one day. They came back the next day to test it, but it was cloudy. The solar panels are working good so far and my electric bill is now $8.07.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Richard! We are thrilled to hear how smooth your project went and excited to hear you were able to take advantage of our partnership with Costco, it's one we are very proud of! It sounds like since activation, you have been reaping the benefits of that system, and have been able to #savewiththesun! Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 21, 2019

Very deceptive company. We inherited the solar lease from the previous owners when we purchased our home in 2016. Big mistake. No cost savings whatsoever. Do not get involved with a solar lease. First true-up bill was more than $1200. We cut down usage A LOT by freezing in the winter (keeping our home at 57 degrees) and sweating in the summer (keeping our home at 80 degrees and using fans more than AC). Second year our true-up bill was less than $300. Now, the true up bill is more than $800 and we haven't done anything different than last year.

I complained to Sunrun and they requested I make copies of my SCE bills for the last 12 months and mail them to the company so they can conduct a cost analysis. I sent them the downloaded usage every day for the past year in an Excel file and they said they still needed copies of my bills. I mailed the copies with a tracking number which they received on 22-MAR-2019. As of this writing (21-APR-2019), I have not received a response from this company after multiple emails and phone calls. I called and left a voicemail on 25-FEB-2019.

No response. I followed up in an email on 05-MAR-2019. No response. I followed-up again on 09-APR-2019. No response. In addition, we've been in our home for almost 3 years and the panels have NEVER been serviced or cleaned since we've lived here and SunRun is in breach of their contract. I would not recommend Sunrun to anyone. There are no cost savings. We are a two-person household that tries to be very energy efficient and our Sunrun solar lease + yearly true-up bills from the electric company average more than 3k/year and we live in SoCal. This is an outrage. Where are the cost savings? We are totally getting scammed and are seeking legal action to have these panels removed.

We find it very unsettling that we have yet to hear back from SunRun on the many issues we have experienced with them. The lack of good customer service or even a response is extremely questionable. Their continued lack of correspondence will lead me to seek counsel with my local state assembly member and other necessary actions. This is outright fraud.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your communication, John. We certainly can understand your savings concerns and the frustration with the lack of follow-up on those concerns. We have ensured that the agent you were working with was informed and you should be receiving a correspondence soon! We want to ensure we get you a resolution on this!

Original review: April 21, 2019

We have been thinking about going into solar energy services for quite a while. We had other companies out and Sunrun was the only company that told us flat out without cutting the trees down, we won't go and get 100% solar energy. Sunrun was willing to work with us leaving the trees though. The other companies just wanted to cut them all down, and we didn't want to cut our trees down. Enrolling at Sunrun was easy. The guy came out and went through the contract. He explained everything the best he could so we could understand it.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Ben! We are so pleased to hear that your experience going solar was so positive. We aim to be very upfront and transparent with our potential customers about the type of production they will be getting. We really try our hardest to not recommend cutting down trees to improve production, it goes against our green philosophy, and instead, we work with what sunlight we have available! We're so happy to know that we were able to find a solar solution to meet your needs. Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 21, 2019

I've been with Sunrun for about four years now and my experience has been good overall. I am set up where I lease the system from Sunrun for 20 years. I gave them 20 grand and I got the S-racks and the tax credits. So I don’t have a cost from Sunrun for electric. My setup is supposed to do 8.8 kilowatts but I haven't hit that yet. But I also have an agreement in my contract that whenever I don’t make the 8.8 kilowatts, they send me a check for the difference.

I had a problem a year or two ago though. I was generating electricity and they were supposed to monitor it. But something went wrong with my monitoring device and I wasn’t recording any generation. I don’t check that every day either and by the time I checked to see how I was doing on my generation, I had missed product for about five months. Then the problem I had with customer service was that every time I called, I would get a new person and I would have to go through the same rigmarole to say what had happened or what was going on. I never had one individual customer service rep that I could call to see how things were going. That aside, their customer service is good. It took me a long time to get that straightened out. But overall, I was pleased with it.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Glenn! We are so pleased to hear that you are satisfied with Sunrun overall. It sounds like you signed up with a solid agreement. We are sorry to hear of the technical issues you encountered. but we have expanded our monitoring team and expect any issues to be identified a lot sooner! Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Sunrun expert review by Zachary Shahan

In business for over 10 years, this company services more than 100,000 customers in 22 states. They specialize in customized solar energy systems and offers a lifetime warranty on its products.

• Multiple financing options: SunRun lets you pay for your solar energy system in many ways. If you want to lease the system, you can pay SunRun a set amount per month or pay them a higher up-front fee and avoid the monthly payment. If you want to own the system, you can pay off the system in full or finance it with a loan.

• Lifetime warranty: SunRun guarantees the performance of its product throughout the product’s lifetime. This warranty promises free repairs on your solar energy system. SunRun’s systems also include a roof warranty in case of leaks or holes.

• mySunRun app: With SunRun’s mobile app, mySunRun, you can track your system’s production, share your system’s stats via social media and change your billing preferences. The app also helps you submit customer support issues and refer friends to SunRun in exchange for Visa gift cards.

• LG Chem battery: With SunRun, you can purchase an LG Chem battery in addition to your solar energy system. This battery can store the excess energy that your system produces, making it available to you in the event of an outage.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sunrun Company Information