3.5/5 (404 ratings)

About Sunrun

Sunrun sells and leases customized residential solar energy systems and its Brightbox battery storage service in 20 states. Customers can own or lease a system with $0 down. Sunrun offers free energy consultations and quotes. Over 250,000 homes across the U.S. have gone solar with Sunrun, according to the company.

Pros

• Flexible payment options
  • Daily system monitoring
  • Warranty with complete coverage

Cons

• Limited price transparency
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Sunrun offers personalized home solar energy system design, with the option to lease or purchase with monthly payments. Customers are generally satisfied with their solar systems, but some say the initial cost was high.

Top Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Verified

Sunrun is the best solar company you can find out there. They are very cost effective compared to other solar companies out there. I am very happy with my purchase and would refer...

Verified

… My solar system is producing as much as our Sunrun rep promised us. We are very happy and satisfied with the service. Sunrun offers several solar options, we decided to go with ...

What is Sunrun?

Sunrun is a residential solar panel company that designs, installs, finances, monitors, maintains and insures its systems. It customizes home systems based on energy usage history, the customer’s design preferences and the roof space, using an automated site modeling tool that profiles roof characteristics like shading, pitch and sun exposure.

As of the time of publishing, in 19 of the 20 states where it sets up solar energy systems, Sunrun also offers its Brightbox battery service to new customers. Brightbox provides eight to 12 hours of backup electricity in case of an outage.

Sunrun provides a “bumper-to-bumper” warranty on all solar equipment, which features free repairs and replacement of equipment, including parts and labor. Sunrun monitors customers’ systems daily to make sure they're performing optimally and includes full insurance coverage that covers theft and damage.

Sunrun cost

The average cost for a solar energy system ranges from $15,000 to $29,000, but Sunrun’s prices are sometimes higher than other solar energy providers because of the technology it uses. Fill out a form on its website to get a free solar energy consultation and quote. Sunrun partners with Costco to make solar panels available to its members at lower prices.

There are multiple ways to pay for a Sunrun system, with eligible customers able to go solar for $0 down. Sunrun offers monthly leases (BrightSave Monthly), full leases (BrightSave Prepaid, a power purchase agreement), purchases with financing (BrightAdvantage) and full purchases (BrightBuy). The monthly lease option is the customer favorite, according to Sunrun.

Sunrun takes care of paperwork, permits and installation, whether you lease or buy.

Sunrun installations

Sunrun customizes solar system installations based on factors like a customer’s energy usage history and a home’s roof. Solar advisors use a proprietary design technology, BrightPath, to analyze your home and energy needs.

Once you and Sunrun finalize the design, Sunrun submits all necessary paperwork for approval from your local government.

Once the system is approved, installation starts. Installation can take from one to five days. After installation is complete, the crew foreman explains how the system works and shows you how to power it on.

Your local government must inspect and approve the system before you can connect it to the grid. The utility company installs a net meter so Sunrun can track how much solar electricity you produce and use. Upon approval from the utility company, you can begin using your solar panels. The entire process can take several months to complete. A Sunrun project coordinator can give you an approximate timeline.

Sunrun warranty

All of Sunrun’s solar plans come with a “worry-free” warranty, which covers equipment repairs and replacement, including parts and labor. Sunrun installations also come with a roof warranty that guarantees any roof penetrations remain watertight for 10 years.

When you lease a solar energy system from Sunrun, all maintenance costs are covered. If you purchase a Sunrun system, you're responsible for maintenance costs and any repairs that aren’t covered by the warranty.

Sunrun FAQ

Where is Sunrun available?

Sunrun is available in the following states, as well as in Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.

• Arizona
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Vermont
  • Wisconsin
What solar panels does Sunrun use?

Sunrun uses LG solar panels, such as the NeON 2. LG solar panels are made of monocrystalline cells, which are known for higher efficiency and slower degradation.

Where are Sunrun solar panels made?

Sunrun solar panels are manufactured in South Korea.

What is the Sunrun app?

The Sunrun app, mySunrun, allows you to see how much energy your system is producing, along with system features and billing information. It is available for Apple and Android devices.

What is Sunrun’s cancellation policy?

You can cancel or make changes to your Sunrun solar agreement within 21 days of signing the contract as long as it’s before the installation date.

Who owns Sunrun?

Sunrun was co-founded by CEO Lynn Jurich in 2007. It is a publicly traded company with significant capital investments from Pacific Gas and Electric Company and Sequoia Capital.

Where is Sunrun headquartered?

Sunrun is based in San Francisco.

Is Sunrun a good company?

We like that Sunrun guides clients through the design and installation process. The company strives to offer the easiest and smartest way to join the clean energy revolution. Solar energy systems with Brightbox battery service give you more than savings — they also give you control of your electricity, letting you save power to use during peak times or when there’s an outage.

Sunrun video review

sunrun solar video review
Joesphine: My name is Josephine. I live in the state of California, and high PG&E bill really got me into doing the solar panels with Sunrun. And it's a very good thing to have the solar panels. I chose Sunrun because I really got tired of paying so much for PG&E bill. And the reason I chose them, because I felt more comfortable throughout the whole presentation. And then when they came out and worked on my house, there was a group of younger people working on top of the roof, and they was just really laid back. And my son, he's a special needs, and he went out to see what they were doing, and they talked to him and everything. And I thought, wow. hey, this is nice. And then they showed him little things, you know, what they were doing and stuff. And he was interested in it. I said, they took their time out of their schedule to talk to him. I was just really relieved and comfortable that he was able to go out and talk with them. About the purchase, I liked it that they explained all the details. And I felt more at ease. I felt at ease to ask questions. There was one question I asked, who is the founder of this company? And the guy told me it was a woman. And I thought, wow, Hallelujah. Finally. You know, I was all for it and, you know, girl power. The people that worked with me with the solar panels, they was very responsible. They came in, brought their equipment and stuff. And they made sure after they finished the work, they cleaned up and took all the stuff away. And then I looked at the panels, and I liked it so much, because the panels, when they finished it, it had a period on it. It came down slanted, so it made it look finished. And then when you walk past the house, it made the house look more expensive. And it also made the, the sound from the outside to the inside, it made the sound quieter. My Sunrun purchase was definitely worth it because it gives me a peace of mind, and I know I don't have to come up with $200 every time the utility bill come out now. It's really worth it to the point that I've told other people about it. And, you know, well especially like at Christmastime, I can burn my Christmas lights and stuff and I don't have to worry about my utility bill being sky high the next month. So it's well worth it. I would recommend it. So anybody that has a high utility bill, as I did, I really love my solar panels and I'm happy I purchased them.

Sunrun Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

When the fellow came out and installed the meter on August 25th of last year was when there was the ability to record the difference. And when the Sunrun app became operational the day after, so it would give you your daily generation. Because August and September were still peak production months, I was surprised about how it offset the electrical bill for that first couple months. I was impressed.

Sunrun's communication was good. But it could have been better. I sat down with the sales rep back in March of 2022. She probably didn't know all the specifics. But I was under the impression at the end of March of 2022 that the installation process would have occurred a bit more rapidly. And there was a lack of communication on as to far as when all this would happen. From signing the contract in the early part of March of 2022 to having a fully functional system at the end of August of 2022, it took longer than what I expected.

The crews that came out to install the system were good. We didn't get the initial installation until July. They came out, put the panels on and put everything that they could together. The inverter was not available until a month later. Another crew came out and finished the installation. And that was at the first part of August. And it kind sat there for three weeks until Xcel decided to make an appearance.

I understand that there are delays with permitting and with supply chain issues etc. But a bit more detailed communication and say, "Hey, we got your contract. We got this. Don't expect anything for three months. We're not gonna be scheduling things out for three months." The next week, one of their planning guys showed up to do a house inspection to make sure that the roof was capable of carrying the load, that the electrical service was would be adequate. So I figured, "That was pretty quick." The guy was out here the next week. But after that, things dropped off and I didn't hear anything until the project manager called me in June and said, "Will July 8th work?" And I said, "Well, I guess so."

The system was designed to produce so much power and that Sunrun guarantees that their system will produce that. That's not gonna happen until August of this year to see in fact if their production estimate is gonna actually be accurate. But they sent out these little maintenance tips. It says, “When your panels get dirty, spray them off with water from the ground. We really don't want you going up on the roof and endangering yourself and everything,” which is good advice. But they did not mention snow removal. We'll get more snow than typical in Denver. Also, it has been sticking around longer than it usually does.

I purchased a Poly snow rake basically because I'm not gonna get up on the roof with snow on it. It snowed in December 28th and it snowed here about a foot. And for 10 days there, there was no production for me because there's no sunlight to get through the snow. I'm now able to clean those panels off from the ground, so I'm not endangering myself. But that works well. Maybe mentioning that in their maintenance brochure may be helpful. As soon as I cleared the snow off the panels, they started producing again. So, we're still good.

I've recommended Sunrun to several people. I have two daughters and I showed them my electric bill after the installation was complete. They were shocked. I also recommended it to the neighbor across the street. She came over and asked how it was working. Also, my stepson was in from Florida, and he asked if Sunrun operated in Florida. And I found out that they did. So, I sent him the contact information.

Sunrun response

Thank you for sharing your story, Charles. Your feedback helps us continue to improve our solar experience.Thank you for choosing us as your solar provider!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 29, 2022

The sales process was really great. The reps were very communicative and gave me a lot of information. Some of the information wasn't exactly correct but I was really excited at the time, because one of the things they said was there's a tax rebate and it could be applied immediately to my loan. They’d take care of the paperwork and it would come off of my loan. After I had the install though, I saw the loan was for the full amount. I contacted the loan people and Sunrun, and everybody said, “No. You're supposed to fill out this paperwork and it has to be done when you file your taxes. And that's the point when the money will come back to you if you actually qualify for it. And then at that point, you can pay it towards your loan to get a lower loan amount.” I wasn't that pleased about that section of it.

The install itself went really fast and everybody on the team was super nice. They gave me a lot of information as well. It took a bit of time to get up and running with utilities though. After I got installed, my system was not working for over a month. It worked for one day then I had nothing on the app. I contacted Sunrun and discovered it's a little hard to deal with customer service. There's a lot of different departments, and I kept getting shuffled between them. It took a month and a week after I initially contacted and told them what was wrong. They got a tech out pretty fast to look at my system, and the tech said, “Oh, nothing's wrong with your system. There's something wrong with the app itself. And your system is connected possibly with the wrong app.”

It was a month and a week after that tech left before they fixed the thing on my app. Nobody contacted me or followed up with me. The app just started working one day, and I contacted Sunrun a few times before that. Everybody I spoke to was very friendly, but every time I contacted them, they said, “Well, it's being looked over by that department and they're going to get to it. It's just taking a little bit of time.” It was a lot of time in which things weren't going well though. Even though they're very nice, they're not able to fulfill the technical side of their job as well as I would like. However, everything is straightened out now. I've had access to the app for two weeks where it's been showing me updated information on my system, and everything has been corrected.

The sales portion was one of the most pleasant sales experiences I've ever had when dealing with a company with updates. I'm also very pleased to have solar. I'm looking forward to what that's going to do with my billing in the future. I was told that Sunrun has a department that allows upgrades later on, so I feel satisfied with the fact that I'm going to be able to get the system updated with what I need. Because when it comes to the installation side of things, they're great.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your review, Jennifer! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable, and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part by helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: April 8, 2022

I'm a big fan of Sunrun, and I would recommend them to anyone. I interviewed three different companies when I got interested in solar. I did a little research on the companies, which was interesting because I didn't understand the rating that Sunrun got, as opposed to the rating of the company I refused to use. Their overall rating was better than Sunrun's, but Sunrun's customer service rating was better than theirs. After talking to Sunrun's sales rep, I didn't want to do business with them. The other company, the way they’re set up is that the customer has to do everything on their own on the internet. To ask questions, one has to send them a question and they respond back, so you wouldn't talk to a live person until you pre-accepted the deal. I didn’t like dealing with them either.

I appreciated the sales rep that Sunrun had because he answered all my questions. I told him I probably had more, and he said, “Bring it.” He was outstanding. Unfortunately, he doesn't work for Sunrun anymore, but the guy who took over for him was pretty good too. I had a bit of bad experience in the installation part, but it worked out. It wasn’t all Sunrun’s fault. I have a townhouse, and when the installers came in, they went on the roof and drilled a hole in the neighbor's roof. Based on the plan, they said the design wasn't quite right, so they said I had options. They could make an adjustment there, or they could go back to the engineers and let the engineers really look at it. I went back to the engineers, and it took them almost a month to come back out to do the reinstall.

They were supposed to get it installed before the beginning of the summer. It didn't get installed till the middle of the fall, but that was partially because my HOA was dragging their feet about giving approval. There was that in the scheduling, but Sunrun also had to reschedule another crew to come out to put it in. It was a little more than 30 days. They did a nice job though. They did it pretty fast then there was the time between once they installed it, they had to come in and get approval from the county. That took a little while too. So from the time the system got installed till the time it was turned on to use, it took a little time and I wasn't happy about that.

I've received two bills with a little confusion as well. Their bill was approximately what they said it was going to be, but the electric company’s bill seemed a little high. One was 50 something, and the other was 70 something. My understanding is that I should only be getting a connection bill from the electric company. I was gonna make a call, try to see if I could find out what that's about, but I want to see what the next electric bill looks like.

Sunrun response

Thank you for sharing your story, Douglas. Your feedback helps us to keep improving your solar experience. We'll definitely look into your billing concerns for you. We'd appreciate it if you could send us a private message with your service address. Thanks for choosing us as your solar provider!

Original review: March 26, 2022

Our sales rep, Richie, was a great guy. He was honest and straightforward. I told him our bill was between 75 to $150 a month all the time, but I have a backup Generac system that'll run the whole house. I split it in half, so the battery backup system is running half the house, and my generator system the other half. One thing I really enjoyed about their service techs, they were very professional. They did such a great job, and they were nice and neat. Also, the panels I got are made in Germany. I don’t care if they’re made in Taiwan or Vietnam. I just didn’t want China stuff. Even my batteries are made in South Korea. So, I’m happy with that. The only problem I had was it took three months to get the battery, and that was out of Sunrun's hands.

My whole experience with Sunrun was great. Everybody's been happy and very polite. They’re great people. I also get nice emails all the time. This is the first time I’ve ever had solar, and one question I forgot to ask was how to clean my panels. Three weeks ago, I got, “This is how you clean your panels.” They also offered us money if we recommended them, which we have. Friends of ours are getting the same thing we have. We live in a rural area, and when we get monsoon season, we always lose electricity, so everybody up here wants battery backups.

We're leasing the system, so we're paying a bit more than my highest electricity bill that I've ever had. I wanted it for when our electricity goes out. We live up in hunting country where everybody hunts, and we lose electricity, which happens every year, about seven times a year for 20 hours. We've got elk in our freezers and I don't want to lose all that meat. I want my freezers to keep running when we have no electricity. That’s the reason why I wanted the system. My well always runs and my air conditioner runs as well.

My cousin lives down in Peoria, Arizona. He doesn't have the battery backup, and he saves a lot of money. Having a battery backup, I'm gonna save more money because I'm producing my own electricity, and right now, it's a nice, sunny day. It’s not hot, and I can go out in my garage and my battery's charging and producing electricity for my house. I'm not charging off of aps. I’m perfectly happy with the system so far, but I haven't gotten a bill from Sunrun or aps yet. I understood, the first month or two, they have to adjust with the previously owed bill, but I haven’t received anything from Sunrun yet about a bill. I don’t have good internet service out here, so I prefer a paper bill.

Sunrun response

You brightened our day, Carl! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible, and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us as you do your part to keep the earth clean. Please send us a private message so we can resolve your billing concerns. Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

The enrollment was all right. There were some gray areas that I am now noticing. Sunrun came out and surveyed the area. They installed the panels. My panels don't make power when they're covered in snow. So, a little heads up as to, “Hey, maybe you should keep your panels clean because of the pitch of your roof” would have been fine. If I had a steeper pitch, the snow probably would slide off on its own. But because of a low pitch on my roof, the snow tends to stick. So, every winter, I'm used to going up on my roof, shoveling snow off. That's fine. But it's when my entire roof is covered in solar panels and I have to be gingerly pulling it off, then it becomes kind of an issue. And it's more time-consuming.

And as far as with the breakdown of the pricing, the number the rep kept giving me which interested me was, “With everything, it's gonna be 140 bucks a month for your electric bill.” I don't know if he meant that that was an average over the year. So, if my panels aren't making power and they're covered in snow, I'm not saving any on my electric bill.

In December, my bill was 92 bucks. In the wintertime, it's normally 150. The big thing for me is in the summer. When I'm running my air conditioners or I'm running my pool pump, my bill is normally 350. So, in the summer, if it's only gonna be 100 bucks, that's fine. But the thing is the rep just kept telling me that my bill would be $140 a month. Maybe I didn't read the print fully where it said, “Hey, if your panels are covered, you're not making power. You're not deducting energy from your electric bill.”

My last electric bill was 450 bucks for the month, because I was under the impression that I can go ahead and plug in my electric heater so I can heat my woodshop. I was doing a bunch of work. And my panels were covered in snow. Now, my bill is outrageous. It's double what it normally is. So, I was pissed about that.

The rep made some promises to me and he hasn't followed through with that, so I tried to contact them yesterday. And to their understanding and on my account, the promises he made to me have yet to be documented. So, that didn't go over too well with me either. And when I called him yesterday, he told me he was in a meeting and he would call me right back. But he never did. His voicemail is full, so I can't leave him a voicemail. And he only seems to respond to me when he wants to.

I use Sunrun's app to see when I'm making power. One of the other issues I had is that my internet went down and I had to switch out routers. And when I did, it disconnected my panels. So, my panels weren't communicating with Sunrun. And I had no idea about it. Sunrun figured it out and called me 30 days later. So, there was another hiccup in the system because they had to come out and reconnect my Wi-Fi to the system.

I've had a good experience with Sunrun. The guys who came and installed those stuff were great. They did it in a timely manner. They were clean and were respectful. They did a great job. I referred Sunrun to a couple of people. One of my friends is going through with an install in the spring. So, I was, “Oh, that was nice to see.” The other thing is that my contact who essentially pitched me the whole thing said, “Being that you’re gonna get $1,500 incentive for going through with all this stuff.” The way he made it out to be is I would receive two prepaid credit cards for the amount of $1,500. I have yet to see those. And there's nothing on my account that even says that that's going to happen. That is what annoys me about the whole situation. I was after just the aspect of saving money on my electric bill. And I like the fact that I didn't have to shell out 30 grand for all these panels. That was the big thing for me.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out, John. We truly appreciate you leaving your honest feedback. If you have any questions or concerns you would like addressed, please send us a private message with your service address and we will be happy to look into them. Thanks!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2023

My electricity bill was starting to go a little too high so I decided to do something about it. I enrolled with Sunrun and the process was smooth. They did everything in one day. The county came to inspect and everything was good. I see now that my electricity bill is lower. I decided to start doing the heaters instead of using the gas. Gas is going up. Sunrun was a good service and they did great. I called customer service and the person who helped me with the contract was very good. He showed me how to do the app on my phone. I now have everything on my phone to look at. I had a good experience with Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Donna, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible, and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience, while helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I was sold a system that promised to offset my utility bills by 100%. My utility bills are now HIGHER than they were before getting solar, they cannot tell me why or find a fix for it and I am on the hook for a 18,000$ contract for which I am getting zero benefit.

Sunrun response

We're so sorry to hear this, Jennifer. We certainly want to help turn your experience around. We will be sending you a private message requesting additional account information so that we can get a Specialist assigned to your case. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I had solar panels installed years ago on a partial house. They couldn't use the back of the house at that time because of the way the solar panels were made. The system doesn't do the job. I called Sunrun up and they came out. They did a full survey again and they said they can put panels on the back of my house. I asked why couldn't they do that 10 years ago and they explained. The guys that came up that did the install were a great group. I was one of the lucky ones that got to have a good group of guys that work well with each other. They knew what they were doing. The installation plan was not correct so it took them a couple of hours to get that squared away. Once they got the plan in place, they went up in a day and a half.

You can go online and they show you a daily information. My issue was, from the time they installed it to the time my local township approved it, I lost the whole summer when I would have got the most benefit out of it. My electricity bill is way down. The system's working but it's not producing enough to overcome what the house uses because it's wintertime and there's no sun.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your review, Andrew! We're so happy to hear that you're saving money with solar. Our goal is to make solar an easy and enjoyable experience for you, and we're delighted that you're part of the Sunrun family. Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Resolution response: Feb. 1, 2023

Thank you for the extension.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I became a Sunrun customer years ago with no issues. I got behind on bills having COVID twice this year. I owed Sunrun just over a $1000. I paid $600 towards my balance this month to prevent deactivation. I asked for a payment plan since Tesla gave me one due to my illness. A supervisor called me today and said that Sunrun doesn’t offer payment plans and that regardless of my payment that my system will be scheduled to be deactivated after Jan 30 if I didn’t pay around $750. His position was absolute with no empathy. The cost of living isn’t easy especially being ill with COVID! I lowered my balance within the 120-day allowance before disconnection. The billing clerk told me by paying today that it would give me two weeks before deactivation. However, the supervisor said that isn’t true. This is very stressful.

Sunrun response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Ryan. We are so sorry to hear that this was your experience, and we want to do everything on our end to help resolve your concerns. We will be sending you a private message requesting additional account information so we can help you further. Thanks!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

We're having a horrible experience with Sunrun. We kinda regret getting solar panels. We had a big issue where the first original order was not producing enough. We had three different visits to come and check the equipment. We don't know anything about solar panels. We downloaded the app on our phone, but nobody really taught us how to read it. We didn't do enough homework on it ourselves.

I have a $5,000 Edison bill and I am still paying for my solar panels because they refused to help. Their reason being that we should have checked the equipment. We had so many people come and go. One of the guys came on Saturday morning. He was a trainee. I overheard them telling him what to do. With that being said, the last people that came out was because we had to add additional panels because the original ones weren't producing enough.

Sunrun response

We're so sorry to hear this, Javier. We will be sending you a private message requesting additional account information so that we can get a Specialist assigned to your case. Thanks!

Sunrun Company Information