3.7/5 (634 ratings)

About Sunrun

Sunrun sells and leases customized residential solar energy systems and its Brightbox battery storage service in 20 states. Customers can own or lease a system with $0 down. Sunrun offers free energy consultations and quotes. Over 250,000 homes across the U.S. have gone solar with Sunrun, according to the company.

Pros

• Flexible payment options
  • Daily system monitoring
  • Warranty with complete coverage

Cons

• Limited price transparency
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Sunrun offers personalized home solar energy system design, with the option to lease or purchase with monthly payments. Customers are generally satisfied with their solar systems, but some say the initial cost was high.

Top Sunrun Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Sunrun is the best solar company you can find out there. They are very cost effective compared to other solar companies out there. I am very happy with my purchase and would refer...

Verified

… My solar system is producing as much as our Sunrun rep promised us. We are very happy and satisfied with the service. Sunrun offers several solar options, we decided to go with ...

What is Sunrun?

Sunrun is a residential solar panel company that designs, installs, finances, monitors, maintains and insures its systems. It customizes home systems based on energy usage history, the customer’s design preferences and the roof space, using an automated site modeling tool that profiles roof characteristics like shading, pitch and sun exposure.

As of the time of publishing, in 19 of the 20 states where it sets up solar energy systems, Sunrun also offers its Brightbox battery service to new customers. Brightbox provides eight to 12 hours of backup electricity in case of an outage.

Sunrun provides a “bumper-to-bumper” warranty on all solar equipment, which features free repairs and replacement of equipment, including parts and labor. Sunrun monitors customers’ systems daily to make sure they're performing optimally and includes full insurance coverage that covers theft and damage.

Sunrun cost

The average cost for a solar energy system ranges from $15,000 to $29,000, but Sunrun’s prices are sometimes higher than other solar energy providers because of the technology it uses. Fill out a form on its website to get a free solar energy consultation and quote. Sunrun partners with Costco to make solar panels available to its members at lower prices.

There are multiple ways to pay for a Sunrun system, with eligible customers able to go solar for $0 down. Sunrun offers monthly leases (BrightSave Monthly), full leases (BrightSave Prepaid, a power purchase agreement), purchases with financing (BrightAdvantage) and full purchases (BrightBuy). The monthly lease option is the customer favorite, according to Sunrun.

Sunrun takes care of paperwork, permits and installation, whether you lease or buy.

Sunrun installations

Sunrun customizes solar system installations based on factors like a customer’s energy usage history and a home’s roof. Solar advisors use a proprietary design technology, BrightPath, to analyze your home and energy needs.

Once you and Sunrun finalize the design, Sunrun submits all necessary paperwork for approval from your local government.

Once the system is approved, installation starts. Installation can take from one to five days. After installation is complete, the crew foreman explains how the system works and shows you how to power it on.

Your local government must inspect and approve the system before you can connect it to the grid. The utility company installs a net meter so Sunrun can track how much solar electricity you produce and use. Upon approval from the utility company, you can begin using your solar panels. The entire process can take several months to complete. A Sunrun project coordinator can give you an approximate timeline.

Sunrun warranty

All of Sunrun’s solar plans come with a “worry-free” warranty, which covers equipment repairs and replacement, including parts and labor. Sunrun installations also come with a roof warranty that guarantees any roof penetrations remain watertight for 10 years.

When you lease a solar energy system from Sunrun, all maintenance costs are covered. If you purchase a Sunrun system, you're responsible for maintenance costs and any repairs that aren’t covered by the warranty.

Sunrun FAQ

Where is Sunrun available?
Sunrun is available in the following states, as well as in Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico.
  • Arizona
  • South Carolina
  • Texas
  • Vermont
  • Wisconsin
What solar panels does Sunrun use?
Sunrun uses LG solar panels, such as the NeON 2. LG solar panels are made of monocrystalline cells, which are known for higher efficiency and slower degradation.
Where are Sunrun solar panels made?
Sunrun solar panels are manufactured in South Korea.
What is the Sunrun app?
The Sunrun app, mySunrun, allows you to see how much energy your system is producing, along with system features and billing information. It is available for Apple and Android devices.
What is Sunrun’s cancellation policy?
You can cancel or make changes to your Sunrun solar agreement within 21 days of signing the contract as long as it’s before the installation date.
Who owns Sunrun?
Sunrun was co-founded by CEO Lynn Jurich in 2007. It is a publicly traded company with significant capital investments from Pacific Gas and Electric Company and Sequoia Capital.
Where is Sunrun headquartered?
Sunrun is based in San Francisco.

Is Sunrun a good company?

We like that Sunrun guides clients through the design and installation process. The company strives to offer the easiest and smartest way to join the clean energy revolution. Solar energy systems with Brightbox battery service give you more than savings — they also give you control of your electricity, letting you save power to use during peak times or when there’s an outage.

Sunrun video review

sunrun solar video review
Joesphine: My name is Josephine. I live in the state of California, and high PG&E bill really got me into doing the solar panels with Sunrun. And it's a very good thing to have the solar panels. I chose Sunrun because I really got tired of paying so much for PG&E bill. And the reason I chose them, because I felt more comfortable throughout the whole presentation. And then when they came out and worked on my house, there was a group of younger people working on top of the roof, and they was just really laid back. And my son, he's a special needs, and he went out to see what they were doing, and they talked to him and everything. And I thought, wow. hey, this is nice. And then they showed him little things, you know, what they were doing and stuff. And he was interested in it. I said, they took their time out of their schedule to talk to him. I was just really relieved and comfortable that he was able to go out and talk with them. About the purchase, I liked it that they explained all the details. And I felt more at ease. I felt at ease to ask questions. There was one question I asked, who is the founder of this company? And the guy told me it was a woman. And I thought, wow, Hallelujah. Finally. You know, I was all for it and, you know, girl power. The people that worked with me with the solar panels, they was very responsible. They came in, brought their equipment and stuff. And they made sure after they finished the work, they cleaned up and took all the stuff away. And then I looked at the panels, and I liked it so much, because the panels, when they finished it, it had a period on it. It came down slanted, so it made it look finished. And then when you walk past the house, it made the house look more expensive. And it also made the, the sound from the outside to the inside, it made the sound quieter. My Sunrun purchase was definitely worth it because it gives me a peace of mind, and I know I don't have to come up with $200 every time the utility bill come out now. It's really worth it to the point that I've told other people about it. And, you know, well especially like at Christmastime, I can burn my Christmas lights and stuff and I don't have to worry about my utility bill being sky high the next month. So it's well worth it. I would recommend it. So anybody that has a high utility bill, as I did, I really love my solar panels and I'm happy I purchased them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: May 29, 2022

The sales process was really great. The reps were very communicative and gave me a lot of information. Some of the information wasn't exactly correct but I was really excited at the time, because one of the things they said was there's a tax rebate and it could be applied immediately to my loan. They’d take care of the paperwork and it would come off of my loan. After I had the install though, I saw the loan was for the full amount. I contacted the loan people and Sunrun, and everybody said, “No. You're supposed to fill out this paperwork and it has to be done when you file your taxes. And that's the point when the money will come back to you if you actually qualify for it. And then at that point, you can pay it towards your loan to get a lower loan amount.” I wasn't that pleased about that section of it.

The install itself went really fast and everybody on the team was super nice. They gave me a lot of information as well. It took a bit of time to get up and running with utilities though. After I got installed, my system was not working for over a month. It worked for one day then I had nothing on the app. I contacted Sunrun and discovered it's a little hard to deal with customer service. There's a lot of different departments, and I kept getting shuffled between them. It took a month and a week after I initially contacted and told them what was wrong. They got a tech out pretty fast to look at my system, and the tech said, “Oh, nothing's wrong with your system. There's something wrong with the app itself. And your system is connected possibly with the wrong app.”

It was a month and a week after that tech left before they fixed the thing on my app. Nobody contacted me or followed up with me. The app just started working one day, and I contacted Sunrun a few times before that. Everybody I spoke to was very friendly, but every time I contacted them, they said, “Well, it's being looked over by that department and they're going to get to it. It's just taking a little bit of time.” It was a lot of time in which things weren't going well though. Even though they're very nice, they're not able to fulfill the technical side of their job as well as I would like. However, everything is straightened out now. I've had access to the app for two weeks where it's been showing me updated information on my system, and everything has been corrected.

The sales portion was one of the most pleasant sales experiences I've ever had when dealing with a company with updates. I'm also very pleased to have solar. I'm looking forward to what that's going to do with my billing in the future. I was told that Sunrun has a department that allows upgrades later on, so I feel satisfied with the fact that I'm going to be able to get the system updated with what I need. Because when it comes to the installation side of things, they're great.

Sunrun response

Thanks for your review, Jennifer! Our goal is to make going solar easy and enjoyable, and we're so happy to hear that you had a good experience with us. Thanks for doing your part by helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Get buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I'm a big fan of Sunrun, and I would recommend them to anyone. I interviewed three different companies when I got interested in solar. I did a little research on the companies, which was interesting because I didn't understand the rating that Sunrun got, as opposed to the rating of the company I refused to use. Their overall rating was better than Sunrun's, but Sunrun's customer service rating was better than theirs. After talking to Sunrun's sales rep, I didn't want to do business with them. The other company, the way they’re set up is that the customer has to do everything on their own on the internet. To ask questions, one has to send them a question and they respond back, so you wouldn't talk to a live person until you pre-accepted the deal. I didn’t like dealing with them either.

I appreciated the sales rep that Sunrun had because he answered all my questions. I told him I probably had more, and he said, “Bring it.” He was outstanding. Unfortunately, he doesn't work for Sunrun anymore, but the guy who took over for him was pretty good too. I had a bit of bad experience in the installation part, but it worked out. It wasn’t all Sunrun’s fault. I have a townhouse, and when the installers came in, they went on the roof and drilled a hole in the neighbor's roof. Based on the plan, they said the design wasn't quite right, so they said I had options. They could make an adjustment there, or they could go back to the engineers and let the engineers really look at it. I went back to the engineers, and it took them almost a month to come back out to do the reinstall.

They were supposed to get it installed before the beginning of the summer. It didn't get installed till the middle of the fall, but that was partially because my HOA was dragging their feet about giving approval. There was that in the scheduling, but Sunrun also had to reschedule another crew to come out to put it in. It was a little more than 30 days. They did a nice job though. They did it pretty fast then there was the time between once they installed it, they had to come in and get approval from the county. That took a little while too. So from the time the system got installed till the time it was turned on to use, it took a little time and I wasn't happy about that.

I've received two bills with a little confusion as well. Their bill was approximately what they said it was going to be, but the electric company’s bill seemed a little high. One was 50 something, and the other was 70 something. My understanding is that I should only be getting a connection bill from the electric company. I was gonna make a call, try to see if I could find out what that's about, but I want to see what the next electric bill looks like.

Sunrun response

Thank you for sharing your story, Douglas. Your feedback helps us to keep improving your solar experience. We'll definitely look into your billing concerns for you. We'd appreciate it if you could send us a private message with your service address. Thanks for choosing us as your solar provider!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

The enrollment was all right. There were some gray areas that I am now noticing. Sunrun came out and surveyed the area. They installed the panels. My panels don't make power when they're covered in snow. So, a little heads up as to, “Hey, maybe you should keep your panels clean because of the pitch of your roof” would have been fine. If I had a steeper pitch, the snow probably would slide off on its own. But because of a low pitch on my roof, the snow tends to stick. So, every winter, I'm used to going up on my roof, shoveling snow off. That's fine. But it's when my entire roof is covered in solar panels and I have to be gingerly pulling it off, then it becomes kind of an issue. And it's more time-consuming.

And as far as with the breakdown of the pricing, the number the rep kept giving me which interested me was, “With everything, it's gonna be 140 bucks a month for your electric bill.” I don't know if he meant that that was an average over the year. So, if my panels aren't making power and they're covered in snow, I'm not saving any on my electric bill.

In December, my bill was 92 bucks. In the wintertime, it's normally 150. The big thing for me is in the summer. When I'm running my air conditioners or I'm running my pool pump, my bill is normally 350. So, in the summer, if it's only gonna be 100 bucks, that's fine. But the thing is the rep just kept telling me that my bill would be $140 a month. Maybe I didn't read the print fully where it said, “Hey, if your panels are covered, you're not making power. You're not deducting energy from your electric bill.”

My last electric bill was 450 bucks for the month, because I was under the impression that I can go ahead and plug in my electric heater so I can heat my woodshop. I was doing a bunch of work. And my panels were covered in snow. Now, my bill is outrageous. It's double what it normally is. So, I was pissed about that.

The rep made some promises to me and he hasn't followed through with that, so I tried to contact them yesterday. And to their understanding and on my account, the promises he made to me have yet to be documented. So, that didn't go over too well with me either. And when I called him yesterday, he told me he was in a meeting and he would call me right back. But he never did. His voicemail is full, so I can't leave him a voicemail. And he only seems to respond to me when he wants to.

I use Sunrun's app to see when I'm making power. One of the other issues I had is that my internet went down and I had to switch out routers. And when I did, it disconnected my panels. So, my panels weren't communicating with Sunrun. And I had no idea about it. Sunrun figured it out and called me 30 days later. So, there was another hiccup in the system because they had to come out and reconnect my Wi-Fi to the system.

I've had a good experience with Sunrun. The guys who came and installed those stuff were great. They did it in a timely manner. They were clean and were respectful. They did a great job. I referred Sunrun to a couple of people. One of my friends is going through with an install in the spring. So, I was, “Oh, that was nice to see.” The other thing is that my contact who essentially pitched me the whole thing said, “Being that you’re gonna get $1,500 incentive for going through with all this stuff.” The way he made it out to be is I would receive two prepaid credit cards for the amount of $1,500. I have yet to see those. And there's nothing on my account that even says that that's going to happen. That is what annoys me about the whole situation. I was after just the aspect of saving money on my electric bill. And I like the fact that I didn't have to shell out 30 grand for all these panels. That was the big thing for me.

Sunrun response

Thank you for reaching out, John. We truly appreciate you leaving your honest feedback. If you have any questions or concerns you would like addressed, please send us a private message with your service address and we will be happy to look into them. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Sunrun helped out with everything. I was looking to do solar because my brother was pushing me. He said I have the perfect house so I started doing some investigative work. I talked to several companies and Sunrun came out with the best deal. Michael, the rep, never pushed so I wound up signing up. The installer came out in the god-awful heat and had to climb up into my hot attic. Everyone was wonderful about it. I had no issues and they took care of all that. Everything progressed exactly how the rep said.

We had one small glitch when Sunrun installed and then, we had to get the village out for the final inspection. It didn't pass. Sunrun came out right away and fixed it. They needed to ground to the water supply and that wasn't done. They said they would come out and set it up. It was Labor Day and I asked if they were going to send a crew out. The girl called me back and said that the installers said they would be out but they never showed up. I called and said that I was at work and they set it up for a couple of days later and gave me $100 because I would have worked Labor Day otherwise, and made the extra money. Sunrun compensated and took care of everything.

I feel fantastic and I love getting this $14 ComEd bill. My brother is very much into solar energy and green, and he went out and checked everything. He said that Sunrun did a nice job. My niece's boyfriend installs solar so he checked everything out and said too that it was nice. I give Sunrun’s name out to everybody. I had several people from work ask me about it and I said that it’s still new for me and we’ll wait and see how it does as we progress. I'd gone through two electric bills and I've already got solar and the kilowatts rolling, and I haven't used as much as I've produced. ComEd’s delivery fee comes to $14.34 and that's all my electric bill has been.

It’s winter and right about now, we would be under a lot of snow. I'm still producing a lot of solar although I've had a couple of days where it was one or two kilowatts. For the most part, even with the shortened days, I've been producing 25 kilowatts a day. We haven't had any snow and the weather has been quite cooperative. Once the snow hits, the kilowatts are gonna drop but I'm expecting that. The only thing is that I was hoping the solar would all be up and running quicker than it was. But it was not by any fault of Sunrun. It takes time to get the inspectors out and get the permits. But if we had gotten it up and running earlier, I would've hit a lot of that heavy duty summer months, where there are tons of sun. So I'm curious for next summer to see where it goes.

Sunrun response

Kathy, we're so happy to hear that you're saving money with solar. Our goal is to make solar an easy and enjoyable experience for you, and we're delighted that you're part of the Sunrun family. Thanks for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Sunrun was able to get back to me with my questions usually within the same day or the next day. Of course, with everybody wanting solar, and the whole pandemic happening, things were delayed a little longer than we had anticipated. They had changed our solar plan but forgot to update the design so we had issues going into it. But things were taken care of. I don't understand everything about it yet because there are six months of it where we aren't getting billed. It says we have a credit of 200 and something, and our bill from GMP is $30 to $40 when we got them, so we've only been doing this a couple months. So to be able to say I'm 100% satisfied, so far I am, but I just don't understand the whole end of it.

Everybody has their own wants. You can purchase it yourself or rent it from them. We’re older so we opted to go with, “Okay, let's just sign a lease for 25 years and pay X amount of dollars over the years.” They're responsible for all the equipment, maintaining it, replacing it. If we've got another 20, 30 years tops, to live, it would be very surprising. We may expire before the lease does. Some of my friends’ kids have actually gone and purchased the solar. They’re not paying anybody anything. So that's good for them because they're younger. But we are older, and we’ve got three kids that are hard on all the gaming stuff and stuff for school, and they use a lot of electricity. They're probably going to be here another 10 years. So far, our bill has reduced drastically. And it's still going to be lower once we start paying the monthly payments, but I just don't quite understand the whole how much.

I usually do things for a year to see, and of course, solar, it's not going to be the same year to year. It all depends on what Mother Nature does. You can't say to the solar company, “Oh, but you told me this.” If Mother Nature doesn't give you sun, you don't get this. That's the one thing that some people don't get. We don't have it on our roof. We have it on our land. They did everything. The structure, putting it in, working with GMP and GMP working with them.

And if we had been back where we were, we were only $95 a month before the kids moved in. And I probably never would have gone to solar had it not been for the increase in electricity from the kiddos. But I started looking into solar and Sunrun does seem to be one of the better companies. Vermont has some local companies. But I didn't go with local because they haven't been around as long as Sunrun has, in looking, and I wanted a company that has been through a lot of the stuff and has been doing it for years.

Also, the people need to be patient. It's just that they're behind. It's something that is taking off. And they can't get the people to work. They're not isolated from all of this people not working either. So a big part of that is if people aren't patient, they're not going to be happy with them. But it isn't their fault. And they were very accommodating. They tried to resolve issues as quickly as possible, and they never left me hanging. If I had a question, they got back to me. So far, I'm happy with them. And I got a 25-year contract with them, so I'm hoping it continues that way. I've been giving Chris’ card to everybody because I really like it. There are just things that are preventing them from being able to have this really wonderful experience, unfortunately.

It's a big investment. I look at it like, “Okay. I'm paying $147 a month. But I pay more than that for insurance on my house. So I'm paying that to maintain my solar panels. I have a hailstorm, and I am SOL if I own these panels.” The maintenance is totally paid for. Unless, of course, somebody goes out there and intentionally damages it. We're lucky we have a lot of acres so my kids aren't even near it. The $147 is cheaper than what I would pay for insurance, because I don't have to put it on my homeowner's policy. If I sell my house, it can transfer. They can pull it. I pass away, my kids inherit it. I also checked with the kids before I did it and said, “Hey, you guys are going to be happy with this contract because it can transfer to you.” I like that fact.

So I did look into a lot of different things, and Sunrun has done a good job of thinking of all the different life wishes that people could want. The owning, the renting. You can either opt to have the batteries or not. They let you customize it yourself. And everybody's happy. Kudos to them and all their people. They did a really good job, and the subcontractors were awesome.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for being part of our Sunrun family and helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

Our leased system was connected to the grid on May 10, 2021. It generated slightly less power than promised, but was fairly adequate up to July 2, 2022. We've generated no power since and have had high APS bills. Sunrun is still charging us, too, although their system is generating no power. I've called the company, but there is never any followup. This company does not communicate with its customers even though we were promised that the company monitors the leased systems and performs maintenance when generation drops significantly below what is expected. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Sunrun response

We're so sorry to hear this, James. We certainly don't want you to feel frustrated. We will be sending you a private message requesting additional account information so that we can get a Specialist assigned to your issue. Thanks!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

Sunrun installed a solar array on my roof after inspection and caused rapid deterioration of the roof. Along with the accelerated deterioration of the roof there was leaks cause by roof penetrations for array securement. After many claims by Sunrun these leaks weren't caused by the panels or the installation. I had hired roofers to inspect the roof, all finding the leaks were caused by the solar array. Once I hadn't come to any resolution with Sunrun, I needed a roof to stop the water damage occurring inside my home. I hired a roofing company to replace the roof at my cost.

I submitted multiple service requests for Sunrun to come remove the panels so the roofing company could replace my roof. Without any timely responses from Sunrun, I had to outsource a local solar company (Son Energy Systems) (fantastic company) to remove the panels so the new roof could be installed. This situation is still not resolved. I would highly recommend solar. It is a very efficient and clean energy source. But I would NOT recommend Sunrun for the installation or services.

Sunrun response

Hello! My name is Frances and I am with the Escalations & Prevention Team here at Sunrun. We're so sorry to hear about your frustration, and we want to do everything we can to resolve it quickly for you. Your feedback helps us continue to improve your solar experience. We'll be sending you a private message to gather more information so we can assist you further. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

Sunrun seemed the best approach for us at the time, being that we could lease the solar panels and also save some money on our electric bill that had just been going up and up. I felt the most comfortable with their maintenance program, as well as the fact that Sunrun is one of the larger companies, and I knew that they wouldn't go away anytime soon.

The guy that I worked with was extremely nice, very knowledgeable. And he wasn’t a pushy salesman. He just gave me the facts and it just sold itself. The other companies that I worked with were terrible when it comes to being pushy. Every other company was, “You need a battery. There's no point of going solar without a battery.” And based on what I read, that's not true in our situation. And when I asked the guy about it, he said, “Absolutely not. I wouldn't recommend that you spend an extra $10,000 on a battery that you're not going to use.” So, I appreciated that. That sold it for me.

The transistors that Sunrun uses are compatible with some of the newer technology that's going to come out. However, their app is not the best. I would hope that they would push an upgrade sooner than later. I have foreseen that being an issue based on the reviews of the app. But the benefits about saving money and the look of the solar panels outweigh the app.

Sunrun response

Alexander, your review brightened our day! Our goal is to provide you with the best solar service possible, and we're delighted to hear that you had a good experience, while helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

We'd tried about five other companies to get solar set up here. Most of the time, they ended up saying, “No. You got too many trees, and this is not gonna work.” But the lady that sold us Sunrun said, “You don't have to go 100%. Let's go 80% of your usage, and it'll pencil out.” We loved her. She was wonderful. She worked with us for a long time. She was always there always to answer questions. But when it was finally done, she was gone. Also, I couldn't believe how long it took. Additionally, I thought I was gonna be able to monitor each panel individually and I'd have some kind of system that would show me that. It looked like that company that has that inverter has that capability. But through Sunrun, I couldn't get that accomplished. I also feel it was expensive. I’m a do-it-yourself person and I've always thought, “Geez, why didn't I just do it myself?” But it's too complicated, so I didn't. In the end, I'm happy I have solar but I don't know how much it's gonna help me.

Sunrun response

Hi Mark! Thanks for leaving your review! We're so happy to hear you had a good experience with us. Thank you for being part of our Sunrun Family!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

It was fairly painless. The one thing that I that I would recommend that they would do is talk a little bit more about the benefits of having a battery. I didn't purchase a battery. But the process and setting up is fairly painless.

Sunrun response

We're thrilled you had a good experience, Calvin! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you for playing such an important role in our solar community and for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Sunrun Company Information