Call toll free
4.02/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Welcome to the future of energy. Sunrun's mission is to create a planet run by the sun. With purchase and leasing options as low as $0 per month, you can go solar and save on your monthly electricity costs. Sunrun offers complete peace of mind with free monitoring, maintenance, repairs, and insurance for 20 years.

We make going solar and saving money as easy as it gets. Go solar with Sunrun and take control of your electricity costs.

Sunrun currently services AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, HI, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT and WI

Sunrun Video
Sunrun Gallery (6)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

745 Sunrun Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

We saw the Sunrun representative, Paris, walking around, and we talked to him about getting solar. He was very easy to talk to and our conversation was very informational. He knew what he was talking about, had stats in issues that we could use as answers, and our interaction went quite well. A neighbor also told us about them and we thought it was a good thing to take advantage of their service in such an open area as Arizona, so we signed up. The enrollment was very easy and once we made our minds up to do it, it went pretty flawlessly. In about six weeks, we had our panels up and the installation was great. We have the system running for about three months now and so far, Sunrun is doing a good job.

Get expert buying tips about Solar Energy Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

We were getting higher bills especially during the summer months when the AC is on, so getting solar energy services seemed like a no-brainer. We looked into Sunrun’s reviews and we liked what we saw. There were also benefits that came with being a Costco member. The rebates that we got back from Costco was pretty good and there were a lot of incentives that we got back. Enrolling with Sunrun was pretty smooth and my interactions with them were all very professional. They all seemed very honest and I never felt uncomfortable. Also, the installation was great and it was all done in one day. From the initial consultation with the rep to the day that the panels were up and running was about a month and a half and right now, we are running the panels around the six-month mark. The whole experience with Sunrun was great and I am 100% satisfied with my decision to go solar. If I will buy another house, I’ll be doing it again.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, David! We are thrilled to hear that the process was smooth and positive from start to finish! Congrats on taking advantage of our Costco partnership, we are super proud to be backed by them! Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I am leasing Sunrun Solar. Love the solar system as it cut approx $800 of my electric bill the first year. However, the contract is less than truthful. It states that I will receive the solar credits (rebates) from the state but not the federal credits. I was fine with that. Now I am told that it applies to only 3 states (HA, NY and 1 other state). I live in AZ and do not live in one of the 3 states that this contract applies to, therefore, I do not get the $1000 AZ rebate because they will not supply me the certificate. Why use a contract in AZ that is not valid in AZ?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

We have been bugged to death for about 4 months and we weren't even in the market for solar energy services. We got literature after literature, there were people coming by our door and knocking on it several times, and we also got phone calls. After getting married, my husband has solar on his house and we figured that we could get grandfathered in within the given period. The enrollment with Sunrun was not that hard at all. However, we thought we would receive some paperwork but we didn't get any. The customer service doesn’t even wanna talk to us and they always say they'll call back but we never got called back. Whenever we were talking to them about getting the solar energy service put on the house, they run us around. They’d be here this day or that, and then call and cancel.

We've had Sunrun for about 4 months now and we’ve never had a bill. We don’t know if it’s producing electric or not. The temperatures have been 9 and above most times yet we’ve never got anything telling us that we’ve used so much energy towards our bill. Right now, I’m considering a fly-by-night group and if I’ve had my way, I’d tell Sunrun to fly.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Barbara. It is disheartening to hear of your experience with Sunrun thus far. We never want our customers feel abandoned or kept out of the loop. We'd love to address your concerns personally. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I'm kind of a green and very conservative person, and I've been looking at solar energy and power. My brother and I looked at solar energy years ago but it was too expensive and it didn’t seem like the people really knew what they were talking about. When I was in New Jersey, there was a fella who had solar on his house. He told me what he had going on. I contacted the company and they told me that they don’t do anything in Texas and to call somebody in California. I called a couple of different states and then one of the Sunrun people called me back first. I like their program so I did it.

Getting started was easy. They had to put the solar panels up the next two weeks later and I assumed that they got it off the boat and contacted my energy source. It should have been all over the last of April but it took them five months to do the installation and to get the solar panels up and running. Still, I would recommend Sunrun. You ought to really look into it and get on to energy savings. Let's all go green.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, David! We are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your solar system. We are saddened to hear of the delays you encountered, but are happy that it did not sour your experience with Sunrun. Congrats on going green, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sunrun?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

After reviewing the figures in a SunRun contract I noticed that the escalation rate was not properly reflected in the rate schedule (Exhibit A). The contracted escalation rate is stated to be 2.9% but the Exhibit A rates are escalating at 3.4% annually. I have reached out to three different departments to rectify situation and have received no response. While the overcharges are fairly minimal to date, they do increase over time and will amount to over $3,500 if not rectified.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Jeremiah. We definitely understand your concerns regarding your rate increase. We would love the opportunity to investigate this further. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly for additional information.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Sunrun was the first one that I saw that could do a ground mount. The sales guy came up. We sat for a couple of hours and walked through all the things. The interaction was great. They were responsive and took care of everything. However, they didn't explain that for my electrical service provider, I would need to pay the taxes on whatever service was provided to the house. So when I received my final monthly bill, it was about $20 short because I didn’t understand that particular aspect of it.

Their guys were quick and phenomenal when the installation took place. They knew what they were doing and how they were gonna do it. They had a really good plan. They had to run the underground utility over to the opposite side of my house to be able to tie into my existing panel, to tie in for the basement and get all the work done. Also, they dug hand holes right. They had a video guided ability to go below the ground and run the electricity from hand hole to hand hole. They shot eight of those all the way across the property and tied it in all in one day. They then backfilled all the holes and receded them. It was absolutely perfect.

Solar panels can either compromise or enhance your resell value and Sunrun's guy enhanced my resell value by saying we have a fixed cost for electricity. I give him got a lot of credit. He knew how to orient the panels and where to put them on the property. I have almost five acres and he found a really nice spot out of major public view to put them in. I can't say enough good things about the way Sunrun handled it. They reduced my overall cost for electricity by about 25%, so far. The experience was perfect from construction all the way through to being able to use the system. I would recommend them all day.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, John! We were ecstatic to read what you had to say about your experience. We aim to make going solar as easy and convenient as possible and want each experience to be customized to your needs. It sounds like this was right in line with the service you received. So thrilled to hear that you are now reaping the benefits of solar, congrats! And thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have spoken to a representative from Sunrun and I had been thinking about going solar for a very long time but never really got the initiative. But then I realized I got a deadline going on so I decided to just see what it was all about. The rep explained about the solar energy really well. The people at the office were also helpful. They also kept me informed of everything that was going on. TEP put their meter in and we put ours in, so everything's ready to go. All it's gotta be is just turned on and we can have somebody come out and do it. Sunrun talked me through the process and started the same day.

The day of the installation, I was at work but when I came back home, it was all done. My neighbor across the street watched the installers and he was surprised they got it done. Now, everything works really well and I am completely satisfied. I try telling others that Sunrun is the greatest thing in the world. I also tell them that they will not put down money and that they will get 20 years from it. What I was paying now, even with the 2.9% increase per year of the fee, would take me 19 years to reach and pay Sunrun what I am paying TEP right now. This is great and there's no money out of pocket.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

When the electric bill became so high, my friend told me that I can get solar energy services. I called Sunrun and a very good lady came. She talked with me about it and explained everything, then I enrolled. The process was easy. I have also called customer service a couple of times and they answer me nicely. Everybody was good with me for everything. Now that I'm with Sunrun, I save a lot of money. I recommend everybody to get solar energy services with Sunrun too.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for the review, Violeta! We are delighted to hear that all your encounters with Sunrun have been so positive! Our aim is to be customer obsessed. Congrats on going, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I had been looking at solar energy services for a while. I wanted to help the atmosphere and save money at the same time. So, I linked up with Sunrun through GRID Alternatives. The application process was seamless and I enjoyed the experience. Their website is user-friendly and everyone is friendly and knowledgeable. The installation took two days but it took them around 90 days to get the 11 solar panels up and running. Most of the time was spent waiting for the inspectors to come out and from where I am, they have limited number of inspectors. I was also waiting for the city to approve it. So far, I have noticed 80% savings in my bill and it is really efficient. I am enjoying Sunrun’s service and anytime I have an issue or question, I just make a phone call and they get right to me. I advise everyone to go solar and I’ve already recommended three people to Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Duane! We are pleased as punch to hear your sign up process was easy and convenient. We are sorry to hear of your delays but happy that you have been reaping the benefits since getting up and running! Congrats on going solar, we are thrilled to have you as part of the Sunrun family!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

We were with SolarCity before when we moved to Sun City West and we had a positive experience, but for some reason, things had changed. Back then, the APS only allows 80% of your bill. Now, you could get more than 100%. Living in Arizona, having the ability to have the sun and with the expenses of electric continually going up, I decided to look into solar energy services. I checked out the internet, found Sunrun and liked their customer rating.

Sunrun's customer service was really good. The installers called us to check how things were going and followed up on everything. We were 100% satisfied with the communication and we never felt like we were a number. Being with Sunrun has helped me make my monthly budget. My monthly payment for electric is constant without me guessing what it would be. I just went into retirement, and that’s a real big plus. They’ve always responded to any questions that I had. They were very knowledgeable and straightforward. I would tell others to get Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for sharing your story, Don! We think it's amazing what a great customer experience you have had! We love hearing from our customers that are reaping the benefits of solar. Congrats on your system and your savings! Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

We had been playing with the idea of going solar for a few years and when the Sunrun's rep approached us at Home Depot, we told him to come up and talk to us. Brittany, our sales rep was very nice, very intelligent and knew what she was talking about. We liked the plan that Sunrun was offering so we signed up with them. My interactions with the installers were great and they were very knowledgeable. Before they put a ladder up on my deck to get on the roof, they put a mat down before they went up. They cleaned up when they were done like they were never here. I've never had anybody that good. I'd definitely recommend Sunrun. In fact, I tell my friends all the time to go with Sunrun too.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your review, Eugene! We are so pleased to hear of your positive experience with your rep Brittany! It sounds like your install went fabulous! Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Sunrun reps were going around the neighborhood and when I saw the truck right there, I started talking to the dude and then he set me up with Kevin, the sales rep. And then, Kevin came and talked to me. His attitude, his willingness to work, to do what it took to get it done sold me into getting Sunrun. The guy was awesome. He walked us through everything. He stayed there through the whole process for my mom and myself to go through the financing. My interactions with the installers went great too. They were in and out in one day. I let them do what they had to do, but when I had questions, their lead guy would stop and he would answer all my questions.

So far, we're still paying the solar off but we know, eventually in time, that it's towards our benefit. But we've noticed a big difference on our electric bill. Right now, our bill is way much cheaper than it has been since we got the house. Putting the solar in our house helps us with our energy costs and at the same token, it brings value to the house. If someone were to ask me about Sunrun, I would give them Kevin's phone number because I figured he's the guy that they need to talk to. Sunrun reps were very professional and everything went really good. No headaches, no stress. All our questions were answered and everything was done in a timely manner. I was really, really impressed.

Sunrun response

Thank you so much for the review, John! We were ecstatic to hear what a great experience you had. We aim to make sure our customers are informed every step of the way and it sounds like our team made sure of that! Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We live in the hottest place in the US and we thought it’d be smart to get solar. I got Sunrun with one home and enrolling was difficult at first but it was not because of just Sunrun. We also had that PUC. There was a lot of law stuff going on with NV Energy which made it a bit hard to get it done. From beginning to end to get my solar panels up and running took about a year but the installation was great. We had a little hiccup when the electrical panel went out but Sunrun quickly fixed it and since then, it has been good.

Then I attempted to get Sunrun with the second home and it was not a good one. We were doing it through Costco and the options were to pay the whole lump sum with a credit card because we wanted to pay the whole thing or get Costco cash cards. But that would require over 30 Costco cash cards, which Costco said they had no idea of and they didn’t wanna run my debit card as a credit card like it was run for the first house. So, we ended up not getting solar for that home.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Maria. We are pleased to hear that everything went well with your first home getting solar. But it is disheartening to hear of your experience the second time around. We'd love to get a bit more information from you regarding the situation. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was open to the idea of using solar energy and then a Sunrun sales rep stopped by the house. I had a very pleasant experience with him to start with but I found out that a lot of what he told me was not true. He told us that if we gave a referral and the people signed up with Sunrun, we would get a $500 bonus for each referral. We had trouble with those references being reported to Sunrun and I had to talk to them about that. I had several references that I had given that were not showing on my account. The first one that was processed went through fine, but I still have one pending that I haven’t received my referral bonus from.

And then, we found out that the bonus was not $500 but only 350. The rep doubled up with another lie that the other 150 would come from Duke Power, our local carrier, which they didn’t know anything about. There was a lot of misrepresentation, and there has been three or more customers that I know of whom he told the same thing. He even said it on a conference call to one which would have to be the chief of police. Another thing that happened to some of the customers, though it didn’t happen to me, was that the rep agreed to pay them so much to have some trees removed. So the people paid to have the trees removed, but then they never have been reimbursed.

This rep is no longer in South Carolina, he’s in Chicago now. He wouldn’t return calls and answer emails. So it has been a very bad experience there. Sunrun gave us the $350 through the credit card but the misinformation was never dealt with. At one point, they said that the rep didn’t work for them and he was with a sub-company. Outside of that, everything seems to be working fine. Although with what I’m paying between Sunrun and Duke Power, my bill is about the same as it was before I even messed with it. Still, I would recommend Sunrun, but I would caution people to make sure that they got their stuff in writing and confirmed. Don’t rely just on what the sales rep is telling you. Talk with your project manager or whoever it is that is contacting you from Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Johnny! We are happy to hear that your experience with Sunrun has been fairly pleasant, although we are disheartened to hear of the misinformation given to you. We would love to look into those referral bonuses for you to make sure your experience is that much better. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly to get a little bit more information.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

A sales rep came to my home and explained all about going solar, the savings, etc. Everyone was nice, and respectful. Installation and inspection went well, I had no issues. However, AT NO POINT IN TIME was I ever told that I would be "leasing" solar panels that I would be responsible to pay for. So imagine my shock when I received a bill from Sunrun!! To add insult to injury, they added a $7.50 ACH Non-Compliance fee to my bill because I don't have it auto-debited from my bank account!! What in the world?!!

I have attempted to call 3 times about this and was on hold for more than 30 minutes each time before I had to hang up get back to life. I sent a message and received not a single acknowledgment. THIS WHOLE EXPERIENCE HAS LEFT A REALLY BAD TASTE IN MY MOUTH. You guys need to train your salespeople on transparency so that we know exactly what we're signing up for. Why would I want to pay 2 people instead of 1? I am not seeing where the savings in this thing is, and the inability to get to speak with someone is beyond annoying. You guys HAVE TO DO BETTER.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Ordia. We are very disheartened to hear that you feel lied to. We aim to be as transparent as possible throughout the sales process and in your agreement with Sunrun. We'd love the opportunity to clarify and address your concerns. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I enrolled with Sunrun through a phone call and their reps were all very nice. The installation of the system was also good. My system has been running for three months now and we've had savings in our light bill. Sunrun did what they said they were gonna do and they were very nice about it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I wanted to see how much energy we generate daily. It was roughly about 15 kilowatt hours per day so it was equally good at the beginning because we started with Sunrun in July, so the sun was pretty strong at that time. My friend recommended Sunrun to me. It was good because they offered everything free. My friend helped me set up everything and Sunrun's staff came to install it. Everything was smooth and fast. The reps were nice and told us how to use it. Sunrun has been good and we saved energy.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Qin! We are so excited to hear that your system is working out so well for you! We love hearing about our customers reaping the benefits of solar. Congrats! And thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I was promised by the SunRun that the system will produce yearly 6.44kW. My utility details on total electricity used, system production in kWh, which get deducted from my total used and bill me the difference. When I contacted SunRun on the production, the customer service rep told me that my utility company cannot find how much total was produced from the system. I think this is a total lie as the network meter is for count the product of the system and nothing is directly connected without the meter. I think SunRun totally misguide customers on the production.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the feedback, Pavittar. We are very saddened to hear of your dissatisfaction with Sunrun. We'd love the chance to turn your experience around. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly to address your concerns.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

After several attempts, I was finally able to "talk" with a person online. My system went down mid-September. A tech was sent out to look at the system... and announced that the inverter is bad and will have to replace. That is the last time I had an update... Third time was the charm by finally talking with somebody via chat... where I learned that the repair part was ordered--today (yesterday) and would be out in three weeks. My system has been down for nearly three weeks already. I'm required to continue to make payments whilst the system is down. It's all about the power delivered, not the status of your system.

Discussion revealed that my appendix A was revised, but never put in my file online--the estimated KW hours production was reduced from the original document. If production does not exceed that yearly estimate--then Sunrun will reimburse. In my case is roughly $.20/kW hour. Several instances of very poor communications. My impression is that SUNRUN is not doing well.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Lance. We are very disheartened to hear of the experience you've had with Sunrun recently. We'd love the chance to turn this experience around. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Penny, the Sunrun salesman knocked on our door at the peak of the summer season and we entertained him. He interviewed us, did some pencil-pushing, some computation. Fortunately, that time, I have a very nice credit score which worked out as far as the financing side is concerned. We were approved. Before, we were paying almost $200 a month for electricity. Right now, I’m paying a monthly of $130 for the lease which is like paying $130 a month for our electric bill because we have appliances, pool machine and once in a while, the aircon. So, it’s just break even. We are not that afraid to use our electricity anymore because we know we’re on the safe side. Penny is a wonderful guy. He worked hard, did the mess and helped me. I would recommend Sunrun and I would refer to him anybody who would be interested.

Sunrun response

Thank you for leaving us a review, Ruben! Hearing of your positive experience made our day! We love hearing that you're seeing the benefits of solar. Congrats! And thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

A salesman coming around my neighborhood told me how going solar with Sunrun was gonna lower my bill. I talked to the people across the street who were getting it done too and it seemed like a good thing to do. The salesman was a good guy. He was well informed and knew what he was talking about. I told him that if he wanted to put a solar panel on the house, he had to do it all and he did.

The antenna wasn’t working a couple of weeks ago and they sent me an email about it. They sent somebody out and everything has been fine since. I would definitely recommend Sunrun. Also, I would tell my friends to give them a call to see where Sunrun could put a solar panel on their house and if they like it, they could get Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Kenny! We are so delighted to hear that rep made sure you got what you need, and that your system turned out great! Sorry to hear about your antenna, but fantastic that we were able to get it fixed. Congrats on going solar! Power Forward!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Knowing that the cost of electricity was gonna continuously go up, I wanted to get something different. I wanted to be able to generate the electricity myself if I could. I’m a Costco member and Sunrun was offering the discount at Costco. I said that now was the time to take a look at Sunrun because of all the incentives. That was what I did and outright bought my system. I wanted to go with one of the larger companies, one due to warranties. Two, to be sure that if there were any issues at all with the system or with the installation, the company would be around.

Enrolling with Sunrun was very easy and the team that did my installation were great people. They were very friendly and knowledgeable. I had also done a battery backup, which was fairly new. I wanted to be able to generate electricity and then use it at night. I'm also able to drain the battery and recharge it first thing the next morning off of the panels. It is also nice to have if you have a power outage. We had a power outage recently and the everything that I had hooked up to the system- the refrigerator, freezer, and computers- was fine.

I had a couple of issues though, but they were right here and fixed the issues. I dealt with a gal name Wanisha who did an excellent job. Their customer service was good and I was very happy. Sunrun also asked me if I would talk to a couple of other people about my system for them and I did. The price is worth it. The system has had a good impact and I'm very happy with my decision to go solar. Wanisha said that the credits are the best way to go. I felt that way with PG&E. If the rates continue to go up, use credits if you have them. I'd tell friends to get a quote from Sunrun. They are an experienced and knowledgeable company within the field and that they do an excellent job. I’d highly recommend Sunrun.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Bob! We LOVED reading about your experience. It's exciting to hear that you not only took advantage of our partnership with Costco but also got to jump on our new battery technology. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with our staff, and congrats on your solar system! Thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I signed the contract with Sunrun a couple months ago and things were going smoothly. They got all documents to me for signing quite promptly. They even completed the HOA approval for me in record time. Since then, however, all progress has stopped. A month after they were supposed to file the permit requests, I called the county building commission to check on the status of the permit and discover nothing has been filed. It now appears I am going to start receiving loan bills before the system is even started. I regret having spoken so highly of them to coworkers and neighbors as now I’m on damage control trying to dissuade them all from considering Sunrun. The salesman was great; friendly and explained everything. My project manager has gone MIA though and doesn’t seem to answer calls or emails. Steer clear of this company.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the feedback, Jeremy. It's very disheartening to hear of your experience you have had with getting your project moving. This is absolutely not the kind of service we aim to provide. We'd love the chance to tackle this together. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Sunrun is on the home that I purchased then I purchased additional 24 Sunrun panels. Enrolling with them was easy and everything went pretty smoothly. Everything was fine as well with the installation. The labor was a little expensive but the whole process of getting the new panels in was really quick, like, within two or three weeks, with the longest part just the waiting and getting everything signed off. I was satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I was hoping to reduce our electricity bill by going solar. A Sunrun sales guy that was at Costco approached me. The cost seems good and it was through Costco so I went with them. Their enrollment process was easy. I'm happy about my decision to go solar with Sunrun and I would definitely refer them to others.

Sunrun response

Thank you for the review, Nicole! We are so pleased to hear that you are enjoying your solar system, and excited to hear you were able to take advantage of our partnership with Costco! Congrats on going solar, and thank you for helping us create a planet run by the sun!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Customer service and follow up have been horrible. We noticed that the inverter said “error”. We tried contacting SunRun through e-mail and got NO response for almost a week. SunRun says they monitor for any problems, they did not contact us. We finally called our salesman and he got someone to get the repairman to call. Repair said he could not get out here for another week, but he called a couple days later and said he was in the area and would stop by. Turns out it was our inverter was bad and needs replaced. We were told it would be 7 to 10 days.

After 2 weeks we called our salesman and asked what was going on. The repairman called and said the inverter has not been shipped and he didn’t know when it would be. We have been without solar for a month now with no idea when or if it will be fixed. In the meantime we have had 100-degree temps and have gone without our air because of electric bill that was $400.00 without turning on our air. We have not heard one single word from anyone at SunRun customer service. I feel very upset with this experience.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Tereasa. It is disheartening to hear of the experience you have had. We completely understand your frustrations with your system still being down. We'd love the opportunity to tackle these issues together. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

We installed it and was so excited. One month after using it I contacted them multiple times to have them come look at my batteries because they kept turning off and wasn’t storing electricity. CRICKETS... NO IMMEDIATE ATTENTION WHATSOEVER. Then my electrical meters blows in the middle of the night and my power company had to come out to change my meter. Come to find out all the extra electricity was going back to the electric grid and NOT being stored on my batteries. I called, emailed, left reviews, sent a twitter message and CRICKETS. Hopefully this review will get to them. No support for the system when repairs need to be done.

Sunrun response

Thank you for your feedback, Melvin. We completely understand your frustration with the long wait times and lack of follow up. It is disheartening that this has been the experience you have had. We want to tackle this issue together. A specialist will be reaching out to you shortly.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I've had the Sunrun solar panels and I’ve had nothing but bad experience from them. The guy that came over here talked well and I believed everything he said. He asked me how much I pay for my electricity and I told him about $95 and up a month. He talked about paying $30 a month for electricity from Sunrun solar panels. I told him it sounded good and asked him to tell me more so he went on saying it would be $30 for the first pay off. I told him $30 a month is a lot better than $95 a month and we’ll be saving money.

PG&E was still hooked up and I told them I was going to pay as soon as I start seeing a difference in my PG&E bill. They didn’t like the idea but said it was okay. Finally, when I saw a drop in my PG&E bill about two or three months ago, I called them up and said I wanted to make a payment. They told me my bill was $207. I asked where the $200 a month came from and they said it was the late charge. I paid them anyway and then last week, I went to pick up the bill. It was $145 for that one month. I said, “What happened to the $30 a month? I’m caught up on you guys.” The way it was explained to me, it said $30 a month and not $145 a month which was more than my PG&E bill. If I knew it was gonna be that much, I would have never gotten their solar panel.

I had somebody come over to hook up the Sunrun solar panel ‘cause PG&E went off. But for some reason, we were only getting minimum power and only the light and the refrigerator were working in the whole place. I got no power on my stove. I was also supposed to get power in the living room but that didn’t happen so I couldn’t watch the TV. The reps came in and readjusted the solar panels. I called Sunrun and said they’re a bunch of liars. I also told them I wanted the thing off my roof but they said they couldn’t do that and I had to pay for the solar panel until it’s paid off. I was cussing them out and after that, I hung up. Now, I’m paying $147 a month for this solar panel and I don’t understand it. I am one sorry individual that I got this thing. Now, I'm stuck with it and I wouldn’t recommend them to anybody, not even to my dead parents.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

The Sunrun rep knew his product and he gave us an idea of what we would be saving, the rental on the lease on the equipment for 20 years and approximately what we have to pay APS or SRP every month. That would always be a guestimation because we would never know how much power we're gonna use until we use it, but with the possibility of having lower power bills, we decided on signing up with them. So, they came out and put everything on the house. It went really quick and they were very thorough. They showed me everything that was going on. The guy explained to me what he was doing and how much noise he was gonna make drilling through the tile. Having gone solar, I was told that I'd have to pay APS from $20 to $30 a month, but it's an average, and over the summer I was paying a lot more than that. Even with that, I already referred several people and told them that I like Sunrun and it does good.

Sunrun expert review by Zachary Shahan

In business for over 10 years, SunRun services more than 100,000 customers in 22 states. The company specializes in customized solar energy systems and offers a lifetime warranty on its products.

• Multiple financing options: SunRun lets you pay for your solar energy system in many ways. If you want to lease the system, you can pay SunRun a set amount per month or pay them a higher up-front fee and avoid the monthly payment. If you want to own the system, you can pay off the system in full or finance it with a loan.

• Lifetime warranty: SunRun guarantees the performance of its product throughout the product’s lifetime. This warranty promises free repairs on your solar energy system. SunRun’s systems also include a roof warranty in case of leaks or holes.

• mySunRun app: With SunRun’s mobile app, mySunRun, you can track your system’s production, share your system’s stats via social media and change your billing preferences. The app also helps you submit customer support issues and refer friends to SunRun in exchange for Visa gift cards.

• LG Chem battery: With SunRun, you can purchase an LG Chem battery in addition to your solar energy system. This battery can store the excess energy that your system produces, making it available to you in the event of an outage.

• States available: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, HI, MD, MA, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, UT, VT, WY

• Best for: homeowners who want a customized solar energy system.

Profile picture of Zachary Shahan
Zachary Shahan Solar Energy Contributing Editor

Zachary Shahan is the director of CleanTechnica, and his key areas of focus are solar energy and electric vehicles. He has been referenced or interviewed by essentially every major media organization as a recognized global thought leader on solar energy.

Sunrun Company Information