Effective Date: April 7, 2022
Last Updated: Mar 24, 2022
We may change this policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of the policy, and, in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice (such as by adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification). Please check this page when you access the services to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
Information we Collect
We collect information that personally identifies, relates to, describes, or is capable of being associated with you (“Personal Information”), including:
- Identifiers and contact information such as such as name, postal address, phone number, unique personal identifier, online identifier, internet protocol (IP) address, device ID, email address, account name, signature, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Other demographic information such as date of birth;
- Commercial Information such as information about products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories and corresponding account numbers;
- Internet and Network Information such as browsing/search history, approximate geolocation, browser type, device type and settings, and information regarding an individual’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement;
- Geolocation data such as non-precise physical location;
- Audio/Visual Information such as pictures, call recordings, security video surveillance footage;
- Professional/employment information such as occupation and professional references; and
- Inferences drawn from the above categories of Personal Information that relate to your preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes (e.g., topical interests, engagement value).
We automatically collect information in connection with the actions you take on the Sites (“Usage Data”). For example, each time you visit our website, we may automatically collect the type of web browser you use, the type of device you use, your operating system, your Internet Service Provider, the pages you view, referring and exit pages, the date and time of your visit, the number of clicks to, from, and within the Sites, and the duration of your visits to the Sites. If this information is reasonably capable of being associated with you, we treat it as Personal Information under the category Internet and Network Information. If this information is not reasonably capable of being individually associated with you, we treat it as Usage Data.
How we Collect Information
Information You Provide Us
We collect Personal Information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you:
- create an account,
- write a review,
- respond to a survey,
- fill out a form,
- participate in a contest or promotion,
- communicate with us via third party social media sites,
- request customer support,
- interact with us via chat,
- Interact with us via the telephone,
- participate in any interactive features of the Services or otherwise communicate with us.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
If you create or log into your account through a social media site, we may have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, user ID, account information, information that you have made public, and friends lists, according to the social media site’s data practices and your privacy settings on that social media site.
We may also collect demographic information about you from third parties, including data brokers, credit bureaus, mailing list providers, and publicly available sources.
We may also receive Personal Information about you from our Business Partners. “Business Partners” include companies we disclose your information with to provide you the products and services you request from us. Business Partners also include those companies who have created an account with us as Authorized Partners.
Automatically Collected Information
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, application version, access times, pages viewed, time spent on pages, clicks, website technical errors, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
A Note about Customer Reviews
How We Use Information
We use Personal Information to provide, maintain, and improve the Services. We may also use the information we collect to:
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, and events offered by ConsumerAffairs, our Business Partners, and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages and to respond to your comments, questions, and customer service requests;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents, malicious deceptive or fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of ConsumerAffairs and others;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair site functionality;
- Ensure the right of another consumer to exercise his or her right of free speech or exercise another right provided by law;
- Comply with the law and our legal obligations; and
- Carry-out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
How We Disclose Information
We may establish a relationship with other businesses to provide services to us which may include corporate affiliates (“Service Providers”), including for:
- Provision of the Services;
- Facilitating marketing and non-marketing communications;
- Marketing design and development;
- Business analytics (both marketing and non-marketing related);
- Project management and collaboration;
- Learning management systems;
- IT and network administration such as mobile application development, data storage and management, website hosting, and data security;
- Identity verification;
- Location verification;
- Payment processing;
- Professional services such as legal and accounting;
- Obtaining legal records;
- Collection of accounts; and
- Other day-to-day business operations such as courier services, facilities management, and document destruction.
Other Third Parties
- We may disclose information we receive about you to our Business Partners to deliver the services or products to you.
- When we collect information on behalf of our Business Partners, we disclose that information with those clients.
- We may disclose review information to our Business Partners to help correct customer service issues.
- We may disclose consumer reviews we receive from you to the companies that are the subject of the review (“Review Partners”) and to our affiliates or other entities with whom we have a business relationship. These entities may post these reviews on their respective websites.
- We may also disclose information (including your first name and, in some cases, your email address, full name, address, or phone number) from comments that you have posted on our website, forms you have filled out, and other submissions, to our Business Partners, who may use those submissions for analysis and marketing purposes.
- We may disclose information if we have a good faith belief that we are required to do so to comply with the law or legal process, such as in response to subpoenas, courts orders, or requests by government authorities, law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may also disclose information if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property or safety of ConsumerAffairs or others.
- As we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets. In such transactions, or during related negotiations, we may disclose user information.
- We may transfer information between and among ConsumerAffairs and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control or ownership.
- We may disclose your information when we otherwise have your permission.
Online Analytics and Tailored Advertising
This information may be used by us and others to, among other things, analyze and track data, determine the popularity of certain content, deliver advertising and content targeted to your interests on our Services and other websites, and better understand your online activity.
For more information about interest-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices. Your device may also include a feature (“Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS or “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” on Android) that allows you to opt out of having certain information collected through apps used for behavioral advertising purposes.
We are committed to data security. While we cannot guarantee a transmission of information over the Internet is fully secure, we use reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
The Services are subject to the laws of the United States and your Personal Information is processed in the United States and other jurisdictions. The Services are only intended for use by individuals in the United States.
Information Access and Account Cancellation
If you wish to deactivate your account or request that we no longer use your information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
Cookies and Trackers
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies, although some Services may not function properly if you disable cookies.
This site uses Google Analytics. To opt out of Google Analytics please visit https://www.google.com/settings/ads.
Promotional Communications by Email or Text Message
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from ConsumerAffairs by following the instructions in those emails or by contacting us as noted below. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional messages, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
To opt out of receiving text messages from ConsumerAffairs at any time, reply to a text from us with the word “STOP.” A confirmation message of your opt out will be sent to your mobile number but no additional messages will be sent to you unless you opt in again.
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device or to your desktop via your browser. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings within your browser or on your mobile device.
Information for California Residents
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you have additional rights to access and control your Personal Information under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). Exemptions may apply.
Right to Know
You have the right to request twice per 12-month period that we provide you (i) the categories or specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you; (ii) the categories of sources from which we collected your Personal Information; (iii) the business or commercial purpose for which we collected your Personal Information; (iv) the categories of third parties with whom we disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose; and (v) the categories of third parties to whom we sold your Personal Information. We are not permitted to provide access to specific pieces of Personal Information if the Personal Information is sensitive or creates a high risk of potential harm from disclosure to an unauthorized person.
Right to Deletion
You have the right to request that we delete any Personal Information we have collected about you. Please understand that we are not required to honor a deletion request if a legal exemption applies such as if we need the information to complete a requested or reasonably anticipated service, prevent security incidents or fraud, enable internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations, or comply with legal obligations.
Right to Opt-Out of the Sale of Your Personal Information
California law requires that we provide transparency about Personal Information we “sell,” which for the purposes of the CCPA, broadly means scenarios in which we have disclosed Personal Information with partners in exchange for valuable consideration, and to give you the ability to opt out of such sales.
In the past 12 months, we may have sold each category of Personal Information listed above to affiliates, Business Partners, and Review Partners. This includes companies in finance, insurance, automotive, security & alert, warranty, home improvement, moving & shipping, dental, pest control, and other industries. Our list of partner categories is subject to change at any time. We only provide social security numbers to finance partners with your consent.
Submitting A Request
To submit your CCPA request, you can contact us at 1-866-773-0221, visit the Do Not Sell My Info web form or email email@example.com. You may also email us to designate an authorized agent to exercise these rights on your behalf. Please note, the CCPA only applies to California residents
We will send a verification request to the email address provided and confirm the request upon receipt of your response. If you have more than one email address on record with ConsumerAffairs, you will have to initiate a separate consumer request for each email address on file.
California Shine the Light Law
California's Shine the Light law permits users of our Service that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their own marketing purposes. To make such a request, or to opt out of this sharing, please see the “Contact Us” section below. You may also opt-out by completing the Do Not Sell My Info web form.
297 Kingsbury Grade, Suite 1025, Mailbox 4470
Lake Tahoe, NV 89449-4470