1.4/5 (119 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About PODS

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps customers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. The company offers moving and storage services across 44 states, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Since it started in 1998, PODS has completed over 5 million deliveries. There are over 220,000 PODS containers in service, according to the company.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Flexible storage rentals
    • Affordable options
    • No driving required

Cons

• No packing or loading services
    • Unavailable in some states

Bottom Line

PODS is a good option if you're budget-conscious and don't want to transport your things yourself. Some long-distance moves can get pricey, but reviews consistently praise the company's convenience.

Top PODS Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost… He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, ...

Verified

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good con...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About PODS

PODS is a company that rents out containers to those who are interested in a partially do-it-yourself relocation. PODS is available in most states; it doesn't offer services in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming. In addition to moving and storage services, the company also sells a number of supplies, including:

• Packing paper
    • Stretch wrap
    • Locks
    • Moving blankets

How does PODS work?

PODS offers customizable moving and storage options using its containers, which come in three different sizes. You can choose to keep a PODS container on your property, store it at a local PODS storage center or have the container transported to a local or long-distance destination. PODS recommends getting a quote and scheduling service at least seven days in advance. You can cancel for a full refund up to 24 hours before container delivery.

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. The full dimensions of each container are in the table below. PODS delivers the container to your address for loading. You decide whether you want to keep the PODS container on-site, have it moved to a local PODS facility for storage or have PODS move it locally or long-distance. You're responsible for loading the PODS container; the company can connect you with third-party professionals for packing and loading assistance.

DimensionsMaximum weightGood for
    Small container7' x 7' x 8'5,200 poundsStudio apartment
    Medium container12' x 8' x 8'4,700 pounds2- to 3-room home
    Large container16' x 8' x 8'4,200 pounds3- to 4-room home

How much does PODS cost?

The cost of moving with PODS containers is based on the number of containers you rent, the size of the containers, the distance of the move, the length of the rental and the time of year. You can expect a local move with PODS to cost up to $550. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $3,000. Monthly storage costs start at $149 a month. See estimated costs below.

PODS serviceEstimated cost*
    Local move$350 to $550
    Long-distance move$1,000 to $3,000
    Monthly storage$149

*At the time of publishing

To get a PODS quote, fill out a form online to be contacted by a customer service representative. You can also call its customer service line to receive a quote over the phone. PODS offers discounts to members of the military.

PODS FAQ

Is PODS insured for moving?

Yes, PODS is insured for moving. The company offers two coverage options:

• Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to or loss of a moving container due to fire, smoke, vandalism, falling objects, car accidents, lightning, windstorm or hail.
    • Contents insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the items inside the container. Note that it doesn’t cover damage or loss due to improper packing, burglary at your home or water damage.

Prices for coverage range from $10 per month to several hundred dollars per month, depending on the level of protection.

Are PODS climate-controlled?

No, PODS containers are not climate-controlled. They have a steel frame and aluminum panels, and they are weather-resistant.

Are PODS waterproof?

PODS containers are weather-resistant. According to PODS, they are designed to protect contents from rain and snow.

Are PODS allowed on the street?

It depends on the location. Contact your local municipality to find out if you need a permit to have a PODS container on the street.

Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?

Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.

How long can you keep a PODS container?

You can keep a PODS container for as long as you need it. The company rents out containers on a monthly basis.

Is PODS good for moving?

PODS is worth a look if you’re relocating and don’t want to pay full-service moving prices. The company provides containers, moves your items from one location to another and offers storage at local facilities. It doesn’t, however, do any packing, loading, unloading or unpacking. We like that PODS is widely available in the U.S., has three different sizes of containers, has a reasonable cancellation policy and works with both homes and businesses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: May 24, 2022

Did everything they said they would do, when they said, for the quoted amount. When loaded POD arrived to new home, contents shifted about 1/2" and roll top gate would not open. I called what I thought was the company (same number that alerted me pod was to be delivered to new location) and turned out was dispatcher personal cell phone. He went above and beyond advising me how to remedy after business hours. We have one last POD that I will need to schedule soon (NJ to VA). Very pleased with PODS from start to finish!

PODS response

We're ecstatic hearing we hit it out of the park for you, Peter! Thank you for your fantastic review! We can’t wait to share it with the rest of our team!

Original review: March 4, 2022

My Pods container was delivered today and the Pods Delivery driver, Bryan D, was totally awesome. He placed our Pod exactly where we asked to have it placed. He was very friendly, professional, and it looked as though he really enjoyed his job. Thank you to Pods for having such an awesome delivery/pick up driver. Great Job! 10 Gold stars to Bryan D in Albuquerque, NM.

PODS response

Kudos to our stellar team! And thank you, NE, for acknowledging their commitment to delivering exceptional customer care! Thank you so much for sharing this! We love serving our customers!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

We moved from Pennsylvania to Florida, and from the first quote to the last delivery, PODS was second to none across the board. The pods were dropped off and delivered on time, and it took the stress out of the long drive down knowing we didn’t have to drive a moving truck. Love this service, the drivers were quick and professional, and the price was right. Nothing broke and we had the pods out of the driveway before the holiday.

PODS response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback, Stephen! There are so many moving parts when it comes to a cross-country move. We're glad we were able to help along the way! Thank you for the recommendation!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

This was probably the best moving experience I’ve ever had. I was originally going to rent a uhaul and drive from California to Indiana, but for the same rental price I didn’t have to spend the money on hotels, food and gas. Everything arrived intact and nothing was broken. They work with you on the timing of the drop off and pick up. I have a friend that just moved to Washington and had the same great experience. This is the way to go if you’re going to move. Very very happy I used PODs.

PODS response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback, Karen! There are so many moving parts when it comes to a cross-country move. We're glad we were able to help along the way! We have your back when you need us again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

This was our first time using POD and we were worried about how difficult it would be to move several states away. The POD customer service and warehouse staff were all professional and helpful. We ran into a small scheduling problem with the second day of loading our POD and the office manager was nice enough to take out some of his personal time to give us access to our POD before it shipped. We will definitely be using POD again in the future.

PODS response

Thank you so much for your kind words. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Victoria! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. Come back and see us soon. Cheers!

Original review: June 18, 2022

I rented a POD back in February, my POD was delivered right on time. The driver was very careful to place it on the suggested spot. The problem is that I'm currently requesting a removal of the POD (requested it on June 15th) but they are refusing to pick it up claiming "the earliest availability is July 5th", the interesting thing is that if I wanted an additional POD they would have no problem delivering it within 72 hours, but somehow takes them 20 days to pick one up? I don't even care if they want to charge for an extra month, but the fact that they're now occupying a piece of my land for something that I no longer need, is really annoying, and simply not right. So I will never use them, and suggest anyone out there to stay away. I've even started a BBB complaint and hope this will never happen to anyone else.

PODS response

Juan, we're disappointed to read you've had this type of experience. We want to be able to have this looked into further. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we may best assist.

Original review: June 17, 2022

I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with PODS service. After several calls to get our PODs delivered timely for our cross-country move, we were hit with a classic bait and switch. Here is an overview of the process: In early April, we booked a 16ft and an 8ft container to our house in CO and then depart to the east coast for our scheduled move. At the time of booking, we indicated that we wanted the PODs dropped off in Philadelphia on 5/28 in the morning and then picked up in the evening. We had booked movers for the day and secured a city permit to have containers placed on the street at a cost of $100. At that time, no issue was raised with us and we proceeded with the order.

The first drop of containers at our CO house was seamless and all appeared to be going well. After the containers were loaded and days before our move in on 5/28, we received a call indicating that the PODs could not be dropped off and picked up on 5/28 despite what the sales rep indicated. In fact, we would need to split the PODs (1 on 5/28 and the other on 6/2) and sign up for “City Service” at significantly more cost to us. Without a choice, we scheduled the PODS for those days.

On 5/28, the delivery was significantly delayed having our movers stand around for 3 hours at $200 an hour cost to us. Supposed to arrive at 12:30 and showed up at 3:30 due to “truck issues.” I would note that the driver was very nice and apologetic. On 6/2 delivery, we were also delayed and had to hire additional help to help us unload at $200 an hour (total cost of $1,000) given that our initial movers were fully booked for that day.

We were charged for moving PODs around to accommodate the “City Service” and two additional $700 fees for what I can only assume is also part of “City Service” (something we did not request and were not told upfront that it was necessary). Requested a credit back for all charges related to “City Service” and a credit of $600 related to the idle time that our movers had to wait around due to “truck issues”--did not ask for the additional cost of movers on subsequent day. After dispute was logged, PODs completely ghosted us and we proceeded to dispute several charges with credit card company (nothing has been credited back so far). Be careful about low cost teaser.

PODS response

We can understand how you're feeling and would like to research this further, Joseph. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: June 17, 2022

This was the worst experience of my life. They picked up two pods, then held them without notifying me. I needed to sign a long move agreement. I had talked to their agents multiple times and no one said a thing until they refused to deliver the pods. Then when I got that straightened out, they set a delivery date and then changed it, the day of delivery! They delivered 1 of 2 pods and then wouldn't schedule the second pod. I have movers showing up to unload two pods, now it's double the price. I will never, ever use these incompetent peopel again. I'll use Uhaul from now on.

PODS response

We’re disappointed to see this, Angela. We encourage you to send us an email at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we may best assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: June 16, 2022

This company is disorganized and dishonest. They lost records of conversations with them, complete with important details discussed relating to the service we require. They dropped calls and lost records of the dropped calls. Worst of all, gave false information relating to the services they provide. In our case we were told by the operator that we could change the delivery of the POD from the house we were selling near Guelph to the house we purchased in Kingston. After receiving the POD, filling it, and having it taken to their storage, when we called to inform them we needed it delivered to the Kingston property, we were told they do not service Kingston (even though they service the GTA and Ottawa, with Kingston being right in the middle between the two).

Now we are relegated to having to rent double the size of moving truck, hire people to unload the POD back into the house while we pack up the rest of the house, and pay twice as much for labor to move the POD contents into the larger truck. Their misinformation - for which they take no responsibility - doubled the cost of our move and the amount of effort required. For a family with two children and a bed-ridden wife, this has caused a great deal of added stress - while the whole point of getting a POD was to reduce the stress of this move. I would never recommend PODS to anyone, and am considering suing the company for False or Misleading Representations under the Competition Act.

PODS response

We can understand how you're feeling and would like to research this further, Michael. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: June 15, 2022

DO NOT USE PODS! We packed up our POD, got it picked up and they canceled the delivery without even telling us. Now we are in a new house with none of our belongings, the people we hired to help us unpack have nothing to unpack and we are essentially camping in our own home. It take 72 hours to EVEN RESPOND TO A COMPLAINT. WHICH IS INSANE and another 8 days to POTENTIALLY DELIVERY IT. AT this point we will be almost THREE WEEKS without our belongings. DO NOT USE PODS.

PODS response

Hi, Clara! We'd love to learn more about your experience. Can you please send us an email to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details?

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

PODS Company Information