Find a Movers partner

4.0/5 (1350 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About PODS

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps customers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. The company offers moving and storage services across 44 states, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Since it started in 1998, PODS has completed over 5 million deliveries. There are over 220,000 PODS containers in service, according to the company.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Flexible storage rentals
    • Affordable options
    • No driving required

Cons

• No packing or loading services
    • Unavailable in some states

Bottom Line

PODS is a good option if you're budget-conscious and don't want to transport your things yourself. Some long-distance moves can get pricey, but reviews consistently praise the company's convenience.

Top PODS Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost… He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, ...

Verified

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About PODS

PODS is a company that rents out containers to those who are interested in a partially do-it-yourself relocation. PODS is available in most states; it doesn't offer services in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming. In addition to moving and storage services, the company also sells a number of supplies, including:

• Packing paper
    • Stretch wrap
    • Locks
    • Moving blankets

How does PODS work?

PODS offers customizable moving and storage options using its containers, which come in three different sizes. You can choose to keep a PODS container on your property, store it at a local PODS storage center or have the container transported to a local or long-distance destination. PODS recommends getting a quote and scheduling service at least seven days in advance. You can cancel for a full refund up to 24 hours before container delivery.

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. The full dimensions of each container are in the table below. PODS delivers the container to your address for loading. You decide whether you want to keep the PODS container on-site, have it moved to a local PODS facility for storage or have PODS move it locally or long-distance. You're responsible for loading the PODS container; the company can connect you with third-party professionals for packing and loading assistance.

DimensionsMaximum weightGood for
    Small container7' x 7' x 8'5,200 poundsStudio apartment
    Medium container12' x 8' x 8'4,700 pounds2- to 3-room home
    Large container16' x 8' x 8'4,200 pounds3- to 4-room home

How much does PODS cost?

The cost of moving with PODS containers is based on the number of containers you rent, the size of the containers, the distance of the move, the length of the rental and the time of year. You can expect a local move with PODS to cost up to $550. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $3,000. Monthly storage costs start at $149 a month. See estimated costs below.

PODS serviceEstimated cost*
    Local move$350 to $550
    Long-distance move$1,000 to $3,000
    Monthly storage$149

*At the time of publishing

To get a PODS quote, fill out a form online to be contacted by a customer service representative. You can also call its customer service line to receive a quote over the phone. PODS offers discounts to members of the military.

PODS FAQ

Is PODS insured for moving?
    Yes, PODS is insured for moving. The company offers two coverage options:
    • Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to or loss of a moving container due to fire, smoke, vandalism, falling objects, car accidents, lightning, windstorm or hail.
    • Contents insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the items inside the container. Note that it doesn’t cover damage or loss due to improper packing, burglary at your home or water damage.

Prices for coverage range from $10 per month to several hundred dollars per month, depending on the level of protection.

Are PODS climate-controlled?
    No, PODS containers are not climate-controlled. They have a steel frame and aluminum panels, and they are weather-resistant.
    Are PODS waterproof?
    PODS containers are weather-resistant. According to PODS, they are designed to protect contents from rain and snow.
    Are PODS allowed on the street?
    It depends on the location. Contact your local municipality to find out if you need a permit to have a PODS container on the street.
    Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
    Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
    How long can you keep a PODS container?
    You can keep a PODS container for as long as you need it. The company rents out containers on a monthly basis.

Is PODS good for moving?

PODS is worth a look if you’re relocating and don’t want to pay full-service moving prices. The company provides containers, moves your items from one location to another and offers storage at local facilities. It doesn’t, however, do any packing, loading, unloading or unpacking. We like that PODS is widely available in the U.S., has three different sizes of containers, has a reasonable cancellation policy and works with both homes and businesses.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I recently moved from Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY to Steubenville, Ohio and used Pods for the move. I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost. My Delivery/Pickup in Steubenville was handled by Andrew and in one word he was PROFESSIONAL. Not just the driving, which was awesome considering the cramped driveway, but by his whole attitude. I knew within minutes that Andrew knew his job and enjoyed people. He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, and did it perfectly. I will not hesitate to recommend Pods to anyone looking for a smooth experience that takes the pressure away from moving..

PODS response

Thanks for the awesome review, James! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. We have your back when you need us again!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

The driver was excellent -- very professional. He showed me the warped (bowed) door, where the POD's cargo had shifted en route, and bent the door, so that it will not open. He diligently tried the procedures he was taught, but the door is too bent. I hired a PODS Preferred Moving Company (Pack-and-Load Services) to pack this POD. I purchased the exact number of wide, heavy-duty ratchet straps that Pack-n-Load services recommended. However, the packing crew didn't use all of them. The PODS driver said that unless the tiers are adequately secured, cargo can shift. I must now schedule an access visit, to unlock the padlock on the POD, then sit and watch as PODS crews attempt to open the door, hopefully open it without harming the cargo, then install a new door, so the POD can be transported to my apartment's parking lot.

I must be able to access these items before Dec 8, because the POD contains documents I must submit to the State of Florida for my driver's license, FL title, and FL car registration. If I don't obtain these documents, I'll be in violation of the law, because I will have been in FL for 30 days. I'll also be penalized with a large fine, according to a police officer who lives in my apt. complex. Though I'm very very unhappy with the moving crew which represents a PODS Preferred Moving company, I'm very happy with your PODs driver, today.

PODS response

We're disappointed to hear your experience wasn't as seamless as we had hoped, Mary. If you'd like to chat further, please email socialmedia@podscom with your customer ID and any additional details.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good condition. The door opened smoothly. Our goods arrived in good condition without mishaps. PODS provides helpful instructions and videos for packing online.

One problem I had was that I needed a different phone number to be used at the arrival city. I didn’t see where I could add another number in my online account. I asked customer service to add the number. But, I didn’t see the added number on my up dated documents. Since I didn’t see the change, I had to change the primary account number to the receiving city phone number. I generally had good experience with PODS customer service. The wait time was a little long.

PODS response

We recognize you have many choices when it comes moving and storing your belongings, James, and we're incredibly grateful you chose PODS! It was a pleasure working together with you! Let's do it again soon!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

When planning a move, if you have a 3 bedroom house; base your estimate on a 5 bedroom house. Unless you plan to have a huge yard sale or something, it won't all fit. We moved a 3 bedroom house full of furnishings and it required an additional 21 foot U-Haul truck to carry the stuff that didn't fit in the pod.

PODS response

Hi, Timothy! Thank you for your feedback! It really depends on the size/shape of your stuff and just how much stuff you have. Some people can fit a three-bedroom house into one 16-foot container; however, others need more than one container. We recommend checking out our moving/storage calculator to get a rough estimate of just how much stuff can fit into one of our containers: https://www.pods.com/resource-center/moving-and-storage-calculator. Thanks again for choosing PODS!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I decided on an interstate move to be closer to family when my lease ended, never imagining the logistics problems involved from covid. Availability of apartments in the area I moved to was scarce because people put lives on hold, and I decided that if I arrived and my housing had fallen through I could keep my belongings in storage in my container. There was a 3 week period of uncertainty, and my items were safe and dry in the PODS container while I waited for my apartment to be ready for occupancy. My only problem was communication whenever too many people called in for the amount of people answering calls and one person didn't want to relay instructions.

PODS response

Thanks for choosing PODS! We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, Patricia. We'll elevate it to the right group to be considered and incorporated as we work hard to improve our services to better meet the needs of our customers. Thank you again!

Original review: July 25, 2021

Extremely bad experience talking to one of their customer service associate for a quote. He was terribly rude and disconnected the call when I asked for more details regarding their price. He was so fast and didn't even bother to help me understand the charges and prices. Regret calling PODS...

PODS response

Hello, Navin! We strive to provide the best possible customer care, and if you feel that you have not received that, then we certainly want to look into this further. Can you please send us an email to socialmedia@pods.com with additional details so we may best assist?

Original review: July 23, 2021

We have moved internationally using Asian Tigers and Crown respectively. We have never had any issues. Unfortunately, my job required a last-minute transfer and all respectable companies were booked well in-advance. We were left with two options: UHAUL (drive ourselves and two dogs) or PODS. We reluctantly selected PODS. On the Baltimore end, it wasn't great -- but at least the drivers were great. For the cost of PODS, you would think that they would be packing and loading the home themselves (!!!). Unfortunately, we had to hire two companies on top of PODS to pack/load/unload in each city. One of our containers was delivered within the time frame but the second, more full one, is nowhere to be found.

Upon calling customer service (dubious at best-- and totally useless in reality), she said, "well, I called the facility in MN and nobody is there. You can just wait, or I can reschedule for another day -- but I cannot guarantee times." In the interim, we hired movers to arrive a solid 24 hours after the last PODS arrival...but there will be no PODS to empty, and we will be out nearly a grand. My frustration goes beyond words that I can type. This company charges an exorbitant amount of money to move containers across the country, park them poorly, and treat customers with little to no respect.

To move our home from Europe to Asia costs only $2000 more and that included packers, appropriate handling and loading, and exact times for arrival and departure. No offer from customer service to offer remuneration for lost money from a lack of delivery or reliability and no empathy to demonstrate that they have souls. In fact, they CHARGED my account for the day they were late ($146)!!!! I created an incident report, and they ghosted me. I know many people wrote in anger, but I write this review in calm earnestness: do NOT trust reviews found on sites where they can be vetted and censored. PODS will rob you, destroy your belongings, invoke unnecessary stress, and make YOU pay for their ineptitude! PODS better believe that I am doing the Lord's work by spreading how terrible and unreliable and overpriced they are. Horrible. CARRY YOUR HOME ON YOUR BACKS, it will ARRIVE SAFER AND FASTER!!!!

PODS response

We certainly don’t like to see this, Marie. If you’d like to chat, please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details.

Resolution response: July 20, 2021

Within 24 hours of publishing this review someone from the PODS customer resolution team contacted me and found earlier dates that they could deliver our POD to us in Portland. The POD is now being delivered on July 29th and picked up August 2nd. This means that I will not have to pay for an additional month of storage. I appreciate PODS effort to resolve this issue. I will update this review after our POD is delivered and picked up.

Original review: July 19, 2021

I am in the process of using PODS for moving from Los Angeles to Portland and will update my experience as I go. The initial drop-off of the empty POD and pick-up of the packed POD went very smoothly and easily. The trouble began when I started asking about the delivery of our POD to Portland, OR. If you are using PODS for a move greater than 50 miles be aware that you are required to schedule the move of the POD to a new storage facility. I expected that they would move the POD from the storage facility in California to the one in Oregon as soon as possible. I was wrong, I needed to schedule that delivery as well. When I called to speak to customer service on July 8th, they said the earliest they could deliver the POD to Oregon was August 5th. Even though, the previous rep said they would be able to deliver it by August 1st.

This rep advised that I should always try and schedule the deliveries at least 7 days in advance. When I told her I was scheduling three weeks in advance she offered to put in a request for an earlier delivery, on July 15th. She advised me that the request would be accepted or denied within 24 hours. Lucky for me, it was accepted and my POD arrived in Oregon on July 19th. When I attempted to schedule the delivery of the POD to our new address in Portland (I was told it could not be scheduled until we had our new address) on July 14th, I was told the earliest they could deliver the POD to Portland was August 7th and the earliest they could pick up the empty POD was August 14th. Which, conveniently falls three days after a new billing month for storage begins. An extra $300 charge that I had not anticipated.

I asked the rep to put in a request for earlier delivery and pick-up days, which she did, and told me it would be accepted within three days. Three days later my delivery and pick-up days are still August 7th and 14th. I called again to see if I should submit new requests and this rep said that the company that would be moving the POD would call me no later than 6pm the day before delivery if they are able to drop the POD off at an earlier date. I feel as though I was misled by multiple reps and the website itself which advises scheduling your delivery with at least 7 days notice. In my experience with PODS you need at least 21 days of notice and sometimes as much as 30 days. I believe that PODS has stretched itself too thin in an attempt to reap as much profit as possible. They have sacrificed the ability to deliver on their promises and for that reason I will not be using their service again and would advise others to avoid them as well.

PODS response
      Thank you for connecting with us and providing us the opportunity to resolve your concerns. We appreciate you, Wilson!
      ---

We can understand how you're feeling and would like to research this further, Wilson. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: July 15, 2021

PODS seemed like a great solution to our moving problem, but they made it stressful from the get go. PODs was originally supposed to drop our container off July 8th, and I inquired to see if there was an earlier time (in June); however, they informed me there was not, but took it upon themselves to reschedule it for July 2nd (we were out of town and both cars would have been blocked in by the POD). The next available date to drop off was July 22nd, nothing in between. Luckily, we were able to have family come move the cars and we did get the POD.

Next, our POD was supposed to be picked up on July 14. We got a call the morning of the 14th and the driver stated he was in route to pick up the POD, when he got there he was unable to do it due to traffic; however, he assured me they were sending a different crew out later in the day to pick the POD up. This did not happen. PODS never showed up to get the POD and did not communicate any of this to us. Our house changed possession on July 15th and when the new owner showed up - they were not happy about the POD still being in the driveway. After multiple calls with PODS explaining the situation, we were told they would get there when they get there. Overall, it was a very stressful day and minimal communication or responsibility taken on the part of PODS.

PODS response

We appreciate you reaching out, Elise, and we're disappointed to read you've had this type of experience. We want to be able to have this looked into further so we can clear up any confusion and best assist moving forward. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 15, 2021

I have been renting a POD for a year and recently bought a house 59 miles from their holding facility in Bensenville IL. Upon calling to schedule the drop off I was advised they don't service my zip code. Yet three blocks down was a POD in a driveway??? When I told customer service I can't believe they don't deliver 59 miles, I was told they deliver more than 59 miles but do not service my new zip code. There is other POD facilities around us but they don't service my area! So mileage is not a problem, the state is not a problem, 3 blocks from me was not a problem, just my zip code. What a joke, I smell a scam. Now I'm forced to rent a truck, unload POD, load truck and unload truck at my new zip code!!!! I DO NOT recommend PODS. Find a company that doesn't play games with your property and money.

PODS response

Nicholas, we're disappointed to read you've had this type of experience. We want to be able to have this looked into further. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we may best assist.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

PODS Company Information