2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.02/5
Based on 1,265 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

PODS rents containers to movers interested in partial do-it-yourself moves in 44 states. Unlike other moving companies, PODS doesn't charge based on the weight of your possessions. Instead, the company's costs are based on the number of containers you rent and the rental period. PODS rents on a month-to-month basis.

BOTTOM LINE

PODS is a great option for budget-conscious movers who don't want to transport their belongings themselves. Some long-distance moves cost a bit more, but several consumer reviews praise the company's convenience.

PROS

• No driving required
    • Long rentals
    • Affordable options

CONS

• Not available in all states

Top PODS Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

I had them deliver a pod to a stationary location and stored stuff in it for about a year while I was moving and building a house. And then the second occasion. ... I loaded up a pod and had them transport my household goods to my new location. ... I'm extremely satisfied with PODS.

The PODS reps were very good and they answered all my questions very clearly. They were very punctual even the night before. They informed me exactly when they were coming and they called 15 minutes before they came. ... They were also very careful in transporting it. I would rate them excellent.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is PODS?

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps consumers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. PODS has containers in 44 states and across the world. It's a good idea to book a move with PODS far in advance because containers rent quickly. Customers in larger cities should check local regulations to confirm it is legal to park a PODS container in the street for an extended period.

PODS doesn't offer service in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming.

PODS cost

Although costs vary based on customer location and length of rental, you can expect a local move with PODS to cost about $500. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $5,000. Monthly storage costs start at $150 a month.

Estimated PODS costs

Move typeEstimated cost
      Local moveAbout $500
      Long-distance move$1,000 - $5,000
      Monthly storage$150

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. Note that the room capacity below refers to all rooms, not just bedrooms, so a 16-foot container holds the contents of three to four rooms, not an entire three- or four-bedroom apartment.

FeatureDimensions (feet)Maximum weightRoom capacityGood for
      7-foot container7' by 7' by 8'5,200 poundsOneStudio apartment
      12-foot container8' by 8' by 12'4,700 poundsTwo to threeSmall local moves
      16-foot container8' by 8' by 16'4,200 poundsThree to fourLarger moves

Note: The 12-foot container is only available for local moves.

PODS has two options for insurance.

• Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to a moving container while it’s on your property.
      • Content insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the packed items inside the container. Note: It doesn’t cover water damage.

PODS also sells a number of moving supplies:

• Packing paper
      • Cushioning material
      • Moving blankets

PODS FAQ

Are PODS waterproof?
      PODS containers keep out most precipitation, but it’s best to treat them as if some moisture could get in. This helps avoid any damage to your possessions.
      Are PODS allowed on the street?
      Street parking for PODS varies by municipality. Contact your local authorities to ensure you comply with regulations.
      Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
      Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
      How long can you keep a POD?
      PODS containers rent out on a month-to-month basis. There is no maximum rental period.

Is PODS worth it?

PODS might be worth it to those looking for an affordable way to move. Although PODS moves your items from one location to another, you are the one that packs and unpacks your things. However, this is the main reason you save money. We also like that PODS has 30-day rentals, which gives you more time to pack and is useful for long-distance moves.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

In October of 2007 we were involved in the wild fires. We owned a house in Rancho Bernardo (Westwood section) that my daughter was living in and it burnt to the ground. Our house sustained over 85% percent damage by fire smoke and water. What contents we were able to salvage we put into a Pod. We did not put the goods/pod in a warehouse. Instead we kept it on our property. The company/service was great. They were prompt and courteous. Thanks again and Stay Well. We are going to use them shortly again. This time, since I am 89 years old, I am handicapped and will need them to afford more service and will have to put our property most likely in their storage.

PODS response

Stanley, we're saddened to hear of this, but we're so glad that you and your family are doing okay. We recognize you have many choices when it comes moving and storing your belongings and we're incredibly grateful you chose PODS! We look forward to working with you again in the future!

Original review: March 28, 2020

Our first POD arrived a day ahead of us and when it did we received a call from the driver only known as Jeff. He told me that he was able to place it in the driveway as requested however he thought we should know that somehow the lock had come loose and the bolts fell off on the inside and our POD was not secure. After I told him we would not be there for another day and didn't know any of the neighbors. He went all the way back to the yard and got what he needed to fix and secure our POD. Jeff went above and beyond and saved a old guy from a lot of stress and possible heart failure.

PODS response

Shout-out to the PODS team! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Paul! Thank you for choosing PODS for your moving/storage needs!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 24, 2020

We recently relocated from Texas to Tennessee and we chose to use PODS for the first time rather than renting U-Haul trucks. It was a very good experience for me and my family and we would recommend Pods to just about anyone. Pricing is comparable but gets a lot higher if you end up renting the Pods over time rather than moving them to your next home within the month of starting the Pods.

We had to rent ours for three months (3- 16' pods x 257.00 per pod monthly fee). It added up but was part of the deal going into it so we knew it could happen going into it if we did not find our new home here in TN (which we still haven't)...so we moved them into local storage to save on the monthly rental fees. Just something to really think about. The pods staff and drivers are GREAT. They are GREAT people and employees and they were all very good to deal with on the phone and in person.

PODS response

Brandon, we couldn't be more happy to have assisted you with your move! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! Thanks for choosing PODS! We hope to do business with you again in the future!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My only complaint is that I paid for delivery and pickup of POD on the end of the move and did not get this. I was assured three days before the drop off it was no problem and then received a call that it could not be done. I have moved into a senior living complex with very limited parking and the POD had to stay over 24 hours in the parking area for visitors and took up 2 spaces. When I was told it was not a problem I believe I should have received the service I paid for. I will continue to check my credit card account to make sure I was refunded my extra charge.

PODS response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Ellen. We'd like to learn more about your experience with us, please reach out to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can take a look.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Overall I was happy with the service. The people who dropped off and picked up the pod were very friendly. My only glitch with this service was I had to call customer service 6 times in the span of 2 days for the redelivery of my POD because I noticed the address I provided was incorrect on my redelivery document. Every time I called, the representative said they changed it, but the change was never reflected in my account. Finally someone realized that their system was overriding the change and not saving the address I was providing them. Once they got that figure out it was all smooth sailing. My house is new construction so the address glitch was not their fault, but I wish someone from customer service had caught the issue the 1st or 2nd time so I didn’t have to call 6 times.

PODS response

We appreciate your review, Bailey. We're glad everything worked out well, and we'll make sure to get your feedback to our team.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Professional well organized customer service. Friendly. Concerned about your items. Excellent job. Hassle free. Will refer them to someone else. Was very satisfied. No complaints. If ever in need will request that service again.

PODS response

We couldn't be happier to hear about your experience, Trina! Thank you so much for choosing PODS! We have your back when you need us again!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I used PODS to move from NY to FL. I called and scheduled my move with weeks of notice. I got myself to FL in time but the POD was a no show. The website showed an 11/3 delivery. Many many calls to PODS and days later to discover it never left NY. My 82 yr old mother and I slept on the floor for a week. PODS was in NO RUSH to fix their mistake. I finally connected with a customer advocate who verbally stated they would make good on the move costs and additional expenses. THEY HAVE GONE DARK. It took them a week to get the POD to FL. I had movers lined up and a short window to move in. They then charged me extra storage fees for THEIR delay. Terrible service. I thought they were the leader. Do not use. They owe me $2666 for the move, $221 in incurred costs and $100 in additional storage fees.

PODS response

Hi, Susan. We have been in contact with you regarding these concerns. As we shared, our team is looking into your concerns further and will reach out to discuss. Thank you for your continued patience.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Such a tragic company. I have been trying to get some help with my cross country move. Every time I talk to customer service they have some excuse as to why I can’t talk to the Denver location. My last call with Joseph was utterly horrible. He was rude, didn’t provide me with answers to my questions, and would not transfer me to someone that could help. When asked if he could send me info for people that could help with the unloading he said his email doesn’t work. After months of paying for moving and storage I couldn’t be more disappointed. I guess I’ll have to contact Consumer Affairs and the CFPB as service is not a priority.

PODS response

We’re disappointed to see this, Emil. We encourage you to send us an email at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we may best assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
        Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

PODS will not deliver my containers to a town stated on their website that they service. I have come to find out that delivery to locations are at the discretion of the individual facility manager and unless I redo all of my container orders again as long distance and pay additional surcharges (extra thousands of dollars), they will not deliver the containers. I am trying to get my containers delivered less than 30 miles from the PODS facility (same state) and they consider this long distance. When I made my initial order with PODS, I specifically stated that we did not have the exact location of the town we were moving to, so the salesperson added a provision in the order that states if the new location is more than 20 miles from the facility, it would be $3.50 per mile.

Now, PODS have changed their minds and state that the original facility will not deliver to my home unless I have the PODS containers moved to another PODS facility (which is over 35 miles from the original facility) and have them deliver. When I complained about this via multiple phone calls, PODS emailed and said that a customer advocate in their customer service department will help. However, this person has her out of office message on her email for weeks and she cannot answer her phone for "unforeseen circumstances". This has dragged on for weeks, with PODS continuing to collect monthly rental fees. It has been over a month and I still do not have any response from PODS regarding the delivery of my containers. Potential customers need to be aware of PODS business practices and think twice before engaging with them.

PODS response

Thank you for connecting with us and providing us the opportunity to resolve your concerns. We appreciate you!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I had a very unsatisfactory experience with PODS. My POD was to be delivered to its final destination at my new apartment on November 3, 2020, so I checked my email the evening before (November 2) to see if PODS had contacted me about my estimated service window for the following day. Instead I found an email from PODS with the subject "Your PODS order has been updated" (sent at 3:41 pm), which took me by surprise because I had not updated my order. I had not received a call from PODS about this change. I went to my PODS account to see if I could figure out what was going on, and to my horror, the delivery date had been updated to November 9 (6 days after the delivery date that I had originally scheduled).

I immediately began freaking out because I had scheduled movers and purchased a permit for the POD for November 3, and because I had not read the email until that evening, I was unable to cancel the movers, who would charge for the order if not given 24 hours notice of cancellation. In addition, I would have to purchase another permit and movers for November 9. I called PODS customer service to get some sort of explanation and talked to Colyne about what had happened to delay the delivery of my POD. Although Colyne was friendly and empathetic, all she could tell me was that my POD had been "lost", sent to the wrong storage location, was on its way to the correct storage location, and thus could not be delivered until November 9.

I explained that I had already scheduled movers and purchased a permit for November 3, saying that the cost of movers was $334 and the cost of the permit was $182, and that I couldn't get that money back because of the late notification by email by PODS (the afternoon before the expected delivery of my POD). Colyne mentioned that she wasn't sure why PODS had waited that late to contact me about the changed delivery because they had known that my POD was "lost" days before. She then put me on hold to talk to her manager about possibly crediting my credit card for that amount ($516). She also asked me to estimate the amount the contents of the POD were worth; when I asked her why, she said that because PODS was transporting my POD to more than one storage facility, there was basically double the chance of damage to the contents of that POD, which was not reassuring in any way.

Eventually, after being put on hold a few more times, I was told that my credit card would be credited $516. Although I wanted to be reimbursed for at least part of the 1,838.59 that I was paying for the POD since it had not been delivered on time based on the originally scheduled date, but I thought that I wouldn't press my luck at that time because I wanted to make sure that my POD was delivered without any further delay. The POD was delivered on November 9, but I was never credited the $516 as Colyne said that I would be. However, I have been charged the full amount for the POD in three separate payments ($441.94 + $1,266.65 + $130.00 = $1,838.59). At the very least, I would like to be credited $516 to my credit card (as promised by Colyne), but given the added inconvenience, I would also like to be refunded for half of my original order ($919.30), which adds up to a total of $1,435.30.

If PODS had called me at the time that they knew that my delivery would be delayed, I could have cancelled the movers, who were hired through Hire A Helper (recommended by PODS), more than 24 hours before their scheduled service time. However, I only received an email telling me that my order had been updated the afternoon before the scheduled delivery, which I could have easily overlooked if I had not been curious about my estimated service window. I hope that this issue can be resolved as soon as possible. I work in customer service, and I rarely complain about problems that I have experienced with retailers or service providers because I know that customer service can be a difficult field. In this case, though, I think that a complaint is very much warranted.

PODS response

We'd like to connect with you to learn more and address your concerns right away, Ilouise. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

PODS Company Information