Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now
  2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.97/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

PODS rents containers to movers interested in partial do-it-yourself moves in 44 states. Unlike other moving companies, PODS doesn't charge based on the weight of your possessions. Instead, the company's costs are based on the number of containers you rent and the rental period. PODS rents on a month-to-month basis.

BOTTOM LINE

PODS is a great option for budget-conscious movers who don't want to transport their belongings themselves. Some long-distance moves cost a bit more, but several consumer reviews praise the company's convenience.

PROS

• No driving required
    • Long rentals
    • Affordable options

CONS

• Not available in all states

Top PODS Reviews

I had them deliver a pod to a stationary location and stored stuff in it for about a year while I was moving and building a house. And then the second occasion. ... I loaded up a pod and had them transport my household goods to my new location. ... I'm extremely satisfied with PODS.

The PODS reps were very good and they answered all my questions very clearly. They were very punctual even the night before. They informed me exactly when they were coming and they called 15 minutes before they came. ... They were also very careful in transporting it. I would rate them excellent.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is PODS?

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps consumers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. PODS has containers in 44 states and across the world. It's a good idea to book a move with PODS far in advance because containers rent quickly. Customers in larger cities should check local regulations to confirm it is legal to park a PODS container in the street for an extended period.

PODS doesn't offer service in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming.

PODS cost

Although costs vary based on customer location and length of rental, you can expect a local move with PODS to cost about $500. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $5,000. Monthly storage costs start at $150 a month.

Estimated PODS costs

Move typeEstimated cost
      Local moveAbout $500
      Long-distance move$1,000 - $5,000
      Monthly storage$150

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. Note that the room capacity below refers to all rooms, not just bedrooms, so a 16-foot container holds the contents of three to four rooms, not an entire three- or four-bedroom apartment.

FeatureDimensions (feet)Maximum weightRoom capacityGood for
      7-foot container7 by 7 by 85,200 poundsOneStudio apartment
      12-foot container$8 by 8 by 124,700 poundsTwo to threeSmall local moves
      16-foot container8 by 8 by 164,200 poundsThree to fourLarger moves

Note: The 12-foot container is only available for local moves.

PODS has two options for insurance.

• Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to a moving container while it’s on your property.
      • Content insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the packed items inside the container. Note: It doesn’t cover water damage.

PODS also sells a number of moving supplies:

• Packing paper
      • Cushioning material
      • Moving blankets

PODS FAQ

Are PODS waterproof?
      PODS containers keep out most precipitation, but it’s best to treat them as if some moisture could get in. This helps avoid any damage to your possessions.
      Are PODS allowed on the street?
      Street parking for PODS varies by municipality. Contact your local authorities to ensure you comply with regulations.
      Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
      Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
      How long can you keep a POD?
      PODS containers rent out on a month-to-month basis. There is no maximum rental period.

Is PODS worth it?

PODS might be worth it to those looking for an affordable way to move. Although PODS moves your items from one location to another, you are the one that packs and unpacks your things. However, this is the main reason you save money. We also like that PODS has 30-day rentals, which gives you more time to pack and is useful for long-distance moves.

PODS Reviews

Original review: March 24, 2020

We recently relocated from Texas to Tennessee and we chose to use PODS for the first time rather than renting U-Haul trucks. It was a very good experience for me and my family and we would recommend Pods to just about anyone. Pricing is comparable but gets a lot higher if you end up renting the Pods over time rather than moving them to your next home within the month of starting the Pods.

We had to rent ours for three months (3- 16' pods x 257.00 per pod monthly fee). It added up but was part of the deal going into it so we knew it could happen going into it if we did not find our new home here in TN (which we still haven't)...so we moved them into local storage to save on the monthly rental fees. Just something to really think about. The pods staff and drivers are GREAT. They are GREAT people and employees and they were all very good to deal with on the phone and in person.

PODS response

Brandon, we couldn't be more happy to have assisted you with your move! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! Thanks for choosing PODS! We hope to do business with you again in the future!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My only complaint is that I paid for delivery and pickup of POD on the end of the move and did not get this. I was assured three days before the drop off it was no problem and then received a call that it could not be done. I have moved into a senior living complex with very limited parking and the POD had to stay over 24 hours in the parking area for visitors and took up 2 spaces. When I was told it was not a problem I believe I should have received the service I paid for. I will continue to check my credit card account to make sure I was refunded my extra charge.

PODS response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Ellen. We'd like to learn more about your experience with us, please reach out to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can take a look.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Overall I was happy with the service. The people who dropped off and picked up the pod were very friendly. My only glitch with this service was I had to call customer service 6 times in the span of 2 days for the redelivery of my POD because I noticed the address I provided was incorrect on my redelivery document. Every time I called, the representative said they changed it, but the change was never reflected in my account. Finally someone realized that their system was overriding the change and not saving the address I was providing them. Once they got that figure out it was all smooth sailing. My house is new construction so the address glitch was not their fault, but I wish someone from customer service had caught the issue the 1st or 2nd time so I didn’t have to call 6 times.

PODS response

We appreciate your review, Bailey. We're glad everything worked out well, and we'll make sure to get your feedback to our team.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We used two pods during our move, with 3 weeks of storage in between. We saw terrible reviews for the PODS in the mid-Hudson region after we booked it and even tried to change our house-closing dates. My husband drove to the PODS storage facility and found a new building where the PODS are stored indoors. Ultimately, we were very pleased with our move from the time the Pod was originally dropped off, to pick up, and redelivery. All happened on the agreed upon dates and the timing worked well each time. We were present for each delivery but not for the final pick up. Our belongings were in perfect condition, even considering our unprofessional loading job. The pricing structure seemed fair and the move with storage fit our needs perfectly.

PODS response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, Carolyn. It definitely sounds like PODS was the right move for your move. We look forward to working together again in the future.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I had a very good experience with PODS - they arrived at exactly the time they said they would, charged exactly what they told me when they told me, and everyone I spoke to (during 2 calls to their headquarters and in 2 different cities) was professional, courteous, and warm. I felt very cared for as a customer. There was a problem with the POD door opening when it was redelivered to me, and the delivery person stayed a whole hour, moving things around and squeezing inside the pod with his tools to make sure it would open properly for me. He really went above and beyond, even helping me carry some things to my door - thanks Craig! The only issue I had was that I'm moving during the summer, and redelivery dates and times filled up FAST - I would reserve your time earlier rather than later. Overall, I would certainly recommend them and would use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: March 28, 2020

Our first POD arrived a day ahead of us and when it did we received a call from the driver only known as Jeff. He told me that he was able to place it in the driveway as requested however he thought we should know that somehow the lock had come loose and the bolts fell off on the inside and our POD was not secure. After I told him we would not be there for another day and didn't know any of the neighbors. He went all the way back to the yard and got what he needed to fix and secure our POD. Jeff went above and beyond and saved a old guy from a lot of stress and possible heart failure.

Original review: March 23, 2020

From customer service to the POD drivers the team was amazing. I want to especially thank Scott ** who originally delivered the POD. He took time to listen and recommend my best options for placement and how to safely load the POD.

PODS response

Geri, we couldn't be more pleased to hear this! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We'll pass along your praise to the appropriate team! We hope to do business with you again in the future!

Original review: March 21, 2020

Last August, over half a year ago, a PODS driver came to pick up one of two units I had rented from PODS as a result of the fires here in Los Angeles while repairing my home. In the process of picking it up, the winch on wheels they use to load and unload the unit started swinging side to side, and ended up slamming into my trailer parked about five feet away, breaking out a window, scratching up the side of the trailer, and cracking off part of the fiberglass fender. The driver was very apologetic, and told me someone would come out to fix the damage. Thus begins my tale of woe.

I've rented from PODS many times over the years, and for the most part received great service from the people in the field and local offices, but management and the corporate head office are THE WORST! If something like this ever happens to you, prepare for months of absolutely unnecessary red tape, deliberate deflection, and outright lies.

I submitted photos and a description of the incident, verified by the driver (I hope his honesty didn't get him fired), and was placed in the hands of a "consumer advocate" from their corporate office. Months of requests for more photos and more documentation from corporate followed, and the woman helping me confided at one point that most people just give up after her boss rejected yet another attempt to move forward with the claim. The amount? Around $600, about what I had payed them EVERY MONTH while renting units from them.

I'm stubborn. More trips trying to locate a local shop and calling every repair place I could find to repair the damage for even less eventually uncovered a gentleman willing to come out and repair the window and fender for $495, and I told PODS I didn't care about the scratches to the paint. This was several months in, and the woman helping me told me that she would do her best to get that amount approved. I scheduled the appointment and had the window ordered. The day it was getting fixed, PODS notified me that they would not pay for the repair because I didn't submit the estimate properly. The window was already fixed, so I paid $275 for that and told the repair guy I'd call him back for the fender. He was not happy and told me he did not want to come back just for the other repair at $200.

The next several months went from me trying to find someone willing to fix the fender for less than $200 to me giving up on that after all, just asking for the $275 I had spent. I was getting no reply from PODS, no returned calls, no returned emails. It was very frustrating. Repeated calls to other PODS numbers eventually revealed that my "advocate" had left the company months before for unknown reasons (although her frustration had been clear on the phone), and they had not bothered to assign anyone to follow up.

I kept calling, over and over, probably 30 or 40 times altogether, before someone new finally contacted me and promised to help. He apologized, said he couldn't access any of my previous communication regarding the incident to the other advocate, and asked me to send everything again, which I did. After reviewing it, he said he thought he could help me finally resolve my claim, and at least get me the $475 for the window and fender.

If you were hoping for a happy ending, you are going to be as disappointed as I was. I hadn't posted any negative reviews, despite all of my frustration, or contacted the Better Business Bureau, but before they would pay for the damages, the man I talked to said there was a form I would have to sign... Here are the final two paragraphs.

"Customer further understands and agrees that confidentiality is a material condition of this Release. Customer hereby agrees, promises, and warrants that the terms of this Release and the underlying facts and allegations relating to any claim the Customer may have or had against the parties being released shall be considered confidential and not to be disclosed or discussed with any person, firm, corporation or entity not a party hereto."

"Without limiting the foregoing, Customer further agrees he/she will not make any and, if applicable, will remove any prior disparaging, negative or critical comments regarding PODS made on any customer review on any internet website, blog, or social media site; any complaint to the Better Business Bureau or other governmental or quasi-governmental entity; or any complaint or report to any consumer advocacy group or media outlet of any kind."

So for compensation for the damage, I have give up my consumer rights and promise not to tell anyone about my treatment by their main office, not just regarding this incident, but for any future issues as well. I told them I'm not signing that form, and I'm back to them not responding to my emails or returning my phone calls. Now I am posting, and I will also call the BBB. I wonder how many others signed that form and took the money, what should their Yelp score really be? Do you want to do business with a company like that?

PODS response

Hello, Timothy. Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention, we are disappointed to hear about your dissatisfaction with our services. If you’d like to chat, please send us an email to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID.

Original review: March 20, 2020

I chose POD as I believe they were a reputable company. I had my unit in their Guilderland storage facility for several months. I had gone one time to get additional time and they had the POD outside. I took additional items out of the unit at that time and did not notice any droppings. Upon unpacking my unit, I saw mice droppings on top of my boxes, on the floor of the POD, and in the bottom portion of my freezer. I called to PODS and let them know, an incident number was created. I then called back the representative assigned, Laureen, when I had time. She was rude, advising she closed her file and that the facility they pay to store customers things told her they did not have issues with mice, so they must not. She advised that I must have packed rodents with my items. I think I would have noticed mice droppings in the bottom of my freezer.

In addition, one would think, if that were true, that the facility would most certainly have issues now due to me packing mice with my unit. I'm sure there was more than one. However, most of my things were packed in plastic containers. I have not yet gotten to any items in cardboard boxes but I advised her my only real concern is damage to the inside of refrigerator which it appears to be working OK at this time and cleaning of my fabric living room furniture (probably 100.00). I haven't been using them since I moved in and am using the freezer as extra now. Due to the minimal amount I was not even sure I wanted to make a claim.

She was extremely rude while trying to have an open intelligent conversation, and then refused to give me her supervisor's contact information. She then transferred me to the main number, obviously incorrect as they had no idea who Christian her alleged supervisor was but they did make an effort and someone is to call me back. Training issues for sure, customer service classes are definitely needed!

PODS response

Tammy, this is very concerning to see. We certainly want to look into this further and see how we can best assist. Will you please email us at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Resolution response: March 26, 2020

*Update* I was contacted by someone from PODS corporate. This shows that that they are listening and are willing to assist. The unit was turned around and placed as requested initially. I would like to retract my comment about lack of customer service. Mistakes happen. This mistake was fixed in a professional and timely manner. Thank you for fixing this.

Original review: March 16, 2020

I EXPLICITLY asked that my container be placed within 10 feet of the garage with the door FACING the garage. While I was at work, my wife called and said that the door for the container is facing the street. When she informed the driver that we needed it turned around, he replied with, "it would take me 30 minutes to do and that would block the street. I have other deliveries to make". He then left. I called "customer service" and was told that when they called the local warehouse, all they could get was voicemail. I told the operator that tomorrow was unacceptable for having the container turned around. Two hours later, I called again and got the same nonsense. "We can do it tomorrow". I paid for a container to be delivered the way that I needed it. My issue was NOT resolved to my satisfaction and I am still going to have to wait until tomorrow. This is ridiculous.

PODS response

We can certainly understand your desire for assistance as soon as possible, Christopher. We’d like to look into this further, please send us an email to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we can get started.

PODS Company Information