2. Movers

Call Now Toll Free
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.04/5
Based on 1,371 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps customers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. The company offers moving and storage services across 44 states, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Since it started in 1998, PODS has completed over 5 million deliveries. There are over 225,000 PODS containers in service, according to the company.

BOTTOM LINE

PODS is a great option for budget-conscious movers who don't want to transport their belongings themselves. Some long-distance moves cost a bit more, but several consumer reviews praise the company's convenience.

PROS

• Long-term storage rentals
    • Affordable options
    • No driving required

CONS

• No packing or loading services
    • Unavailable in some states

Top PODS Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

... I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost… He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, and did it perfectly. I will not hesitate to recommend PODS to anyone looking for a smooth experience…

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good condition…. I generally had good experience with PODS customer service. The wait time was a little long.

PODS Call Now Toll Free (844) 763-7776

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now
      Call Now Toll Free

What is PODS?

PODS is a company that rents out containers to those who are interested in a partially do-it-yourself relocation. PODS is available in most states; it doesn't offer services in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming. In addition to moving and storage services, the company also sells a number of supplies, including:

• Packing paper
      • Stretch wrap
      • Locks
      • Moving blankets

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. The full dimensions of each container are in the table below. PODS delivers the container to your address for loading. You decide whether you want to keep the PODS container on site, have it moved to a local PODS facility for storage or have PODS move it locally or long-distance. You're responsible for loading the PODS container; the company can connect you with third-party professionals for packing and loading assistance.

DimensionsMaximum weightGood for
      Small container7' x 7' x 8'5,200 poundsStudio apartment
      Medium container8' x 8' x 12'4,700 pounds2- to 3-room home
      Large container8' x 8' x 16'4,200 pounds3- to 4-room home

PODS costs

The cost of moving with PODS containers is based on the number of containers you rent, the size of the containers, the distance of the move, the length of the rental and the time of year. You can expect a local move with PODS to cost about $500. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $3,000. Monthly storage costs start at $150 a month. See estimated costs below.

PODS serviceEstimated cost*
      Local moveAbout $500
      Long-distance move$1,000 to $3,000
      Monthly storage$150
      *At the time of publishing

PODS FAQ

How does PODS work?
      PODS offers customizable moving and storage options using its containers, which come in three different sizes. You can choose to keep a PODS container on your property, store it at a local PODS storage center or have the container transported to a local or long-distance destination. PODS recommends getting a quote and scheduling service at least seven days in advance. You can cancel for a full refund up to 24 hours before container delivery.
      Is PODS insured for moving?
      Yes, PODS is insured for moving. The company offers two coverage options:
      • Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to or loss of a moving container due to fire, smoke, vandalism, falling objects, car accidents, lightning, windstorm or hail.
      • Contents insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the items inside the container. Note that it doesn’t cover damage or loss due to improper packing, burglary at your home or water damage.

Prices for coverage range from $10 per month to several hundred dollars per month, depending on the level of protection.

Are PODS climate-controlled?
      No, PODS containers are not climate-controlled. They have a steel frame and aluminum panels, and they are weather-resistant.
      Are PODS waterproof?
      PODS containers are weather-resistant. According to PODS, they are designed to protect contents from rain and snow.
      Are PODS allowed on the street?
      It depends on the location. Contact your local municipality to find out if you need a permit to have a PODS container on the street.
      Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
      Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
      How long can you keep a PODS container?
      You can keep a PODS container for as long as you need it. The company rents out containers on a monthly basis.

Is PODS worth it?

PODS is worth a look if you’re relocating and don’t want to pay full-service moving prices. The company provides containers, moves your items from one location to another and offers storage at local facilities. It doesn’t, however, do any packing, loading, unloading or unpacking. We like that PODS is widely available in the U.S., has three different sizes of containers, has a reasonable cancellation policy and works with both homes and businesses.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I recently moved from Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY to Steubenville, Ohio and used Pods for the move. I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost. My Delivery/Pickup in Steubenville was handled by Andrew and in one word he was PROFESSIONAL. Not just the driving, which was awesome considering the cramped driveway, but by his whole attitude. I knew within minutes that Andrew knew his job and enjoyed people. He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, and did it perfectly. I will not hesitate to recommend Pods to anyone looking for a smooth experience that takes the pressure away from moving..

PODS response

Thanks for the awesome review, James! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. We have your back when you need us again!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

The driver was excellent -- very professional. He showed me the warped (bowed) door, where the POD's cargo had shifted en route, and bent the door, so that it will not open. He diligently tried the procedures he was taught, but the door is too bent. I hired a PODS Preferred Moving Company (Pack-and-Load Services) to pack this POD. I purchased the exact number of wide, heavy-duty ratchet straps that Pack-n-Load services recommended. However, the packing crew didn't use all of them. The PODS driver said that unless the tiers are adequately secured, cargo can shift. I must now schedule an access visit, to unlock the padlock on the POD, then sit and watch as PODS crews attempt to open the door, hopefully open it without harming the cargo, then install a new door, so the POD can be transported to my apartment's parking lot.

I must be able to access these items before Dec 8, because the POD contains documents I must submit to the State of Florida for my driver's license, FL title, and FL car registration. If I don't obtain these documents, I'll be in violation of the law, because I will have been in FL for 30 days. I'll also be penalized with a large fine, according to a police officer who lives in my apt. complex. Though I'm very very unhappy with the moving crew which represents a PODS Preferred Moving company, I'm very happy with your PODs driver, today.

PODS response

We're disappointed to hear your experience wasn't as seamless as we had hoped, Mary. If you'd like to chat further, please email socialmedia@podscom with your customer ID and any additional details.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good condition. The door opened smoothly. Our goods arrived in good condition without mishaps. PODS provides helpful instructions and videos for packing online.

One problem I had was that I needed a different phone number to be used at the arrival city. I didn’t see where I could add another number in my online account. I asked customer service to add the number. But, I didn’t see the added number on my up dated documents. Since I didn’t see the change, I had to change the primary account number to the receiving city phone number. I generally had good experience with PODS customer service. The wait time was a little long.

PODS response

We recognize you have many choices when it comes moving and storing your belongings, James, and we're incredibly grateful you chose PODS! It was a pleasure working together with you! Let's do it again soon!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I decided on an interstate move to be closer to family when my lease ended, never imagining the logistics problems involved from covid. Availability of apartments in the area I moved to was scarce because people put lives on hold, and I decided that if I arrived and my housing had fallen through I could keep my belongings in storage in my container. There was a 3 week period of uncertainty, and my items were safe and dry in the PODS container while I waited for my apartment to be ready for occupancy. My only problem was communication whenever too many people called in for the amount of people answering calls and one person didn't want to relay instructions.

PODS response

Thanks for choosing PODS! We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, Patricia. We'll elevate it to the right group to be considered and incorporated as we work hard to improve our services to better meet the needs of our customers. Thank you again!

Original review: March 24, 2020

We recently relocated from Texas to Tennessee and we chose to use PODS for the first time rather than renting U-Haul trucks. It was a very good experience for me and my family and we would recommend Pods to just about anyone. Pricing is comparable but gets a lot higher if you end up renting the Pods over time rather than moving them to your next home within the month of starting the Pods.

We had to rent ours for three months (3- 16' pods x 257.00 per pod monthly fee). It added up but was part of the deal going into it so we knew it could happen going into it if we did not find our new home here in TN (which we still haven't)...so we moved them into local storage to save on the monthly rental fees. Just something to really think about. The pods staff and drivers are GREAT. They are GREAT people and employees and they were all very good to deal with on the phone and in person.

PODS response

Brandon, we couldn't be more happy to have assisted you with your move! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! Thanks for choosing PODS! We hope to do business with you again in the future!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

PODS picked up on 1/22, scheduled delivery 2/02. They contacted us 1/31 to move it up to 2/01 to avoid weather. They didn’t show up in the delivery window and never contacted us. When we called them, they said it wouldn’t be in the area until 2/02, but there were no available drivers until 2/03. They were using weather as an excuse even though weather had not hit until after their original delivery window. They called to verify they were coming the evening before, then as they were arriving they told us they were expecting to pick up a POD, not deliver. At this point, they said they thought the POD might be in NJ. They couldn’t reschedule until the 6th.

We still haven’t received our property and apparently it isn’t even in MA, where we moved. Never use this company. They have even figured out a way to not be accountable through federal interstate regulation by having a third party cross the state lines for them, so you have little recourse if you never see your stuff again. By the way, customer service will allow you no contact with their logistics team to find out where your POD is or has been. Customer service claims they will contact them for you, but you have to call them back if you want to find out any info they obtained. Read more at: **.

PODS response

We certainly don't like to see this, Kristen. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we may best assist.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Never, ever use PODS to move! We have one full POD right now in Roanoke waiting to be delivered to Beckley, WV. Another POD is sitting in our driveway being filled with our stuff. Tonight, the PODS agent (her name was Ariel) told me they don’t deliver to Beckley. Was I told that in the beginning? No. No and no. Ariel claimed my rental agreement said they could change their service area at any time. I believe the agent I originally spoke with knew from the beginning they didn’t deliver to Beckley.

We’ve just been ripped off $1800.00 dollars. I have to now find a mover to get our stuff out of the POD sitting in a warehouse in Roanoke and take it on to Beckley. We’re going to have to unload the Pod in our driveway, so they can come get it and then we’ll have to figure out how we get the rest of our stuff from Virginia to Beckley. I believe we are due a full refund. Moving is hard enough without having your stuff stranded and then be charged for it by a jive company.

PODS response

Sharon, thank you again for reaching out and verifying your account. Your concerns have been elevated and one of our senior resolution associates will reach out after they've reviewed your account.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I'm a new college grad so ordered a POD container in July 2020 since I did not know where I would be relocating (I was open to relocation to multiple states due to the COVID job market). The cost and storage seemed extremely convenient at the time, but had I known about the nightmare experience and having to spend over $4,000+ just to recover my personal belongings (because PODs moved my container across the country) I never would have used this service.

If you're considering using PODs, I recommend looking into other similar options. PODs customer service is the worst I've ever experienced with any company, their phone line (which is the only way to contact them to get a resolution since email support refers you to phone support) is a call center that doesn't have the ability to resolve issues. They can only forward the complaints to a "specialist" who you will never hear from.

After being unable to get assistance over the phone, I filed a BBB complaint on 11/19/20 and did not receive a response until 12/23/2020, which was a canned response of read your contract. 33 days waiting for a response while I've just moved and don't have a bed, winter clothes, TV, or any of my personal belongings, telling me to read my contract and the "specialist" couldn't even reach out to me personally.

During the 34 day period that I waited, I continued to contact phone support and after a week of telling me to call back within X days if I don't get a response, I was finally given an email to my specialist. I emailed the specialist on 12/16/2020 (and received no response) and again on 12/18/2020 to follow up (and again received no response). PODs has made it clear that customer service IS NOT their priority, if you want to avoid a company that will move your personal belongings across the country and then ghosts you for 30+ days while you are stressed about not having any of your belongings I recommend avoiding PODs.

Summary Of "Service" Offered By Pods:
        - Moved my belongings across the country to the wrong state.
        - Charged me $1,500+ for the move.
        - Phone support couldn't move back without charging ANOTHER $1,500+
        - Waited 30 days to hear from company to move to correct state. Had to repurchase: Winter clothes, dress clothes, air mattress, cooking supplies, and much more.
        - "Specialist" finally gave a canned response after 30 days of the "exceptional" value pods places in customers and provides NO resolution to the issue.
        - Forced to spend another $1,500 to move my personal belongings to correct state after going over a month without essentials.

By far the biggest hassle, most stressful move I've EVER experienced with horrible customer support and no regard for customer issues.

After finally receiving my pod all of my items are damaged from being moved across the country twice and I've had to pay well over 4,000 for this "service" I highly recommend you DO NOT use Pods! Their support refuses to offer any forms of support or assistance. I would hate for anyone else to have to go through this stressful experience I've went through.

PODS response

Hi, David! We have been in contact with you regarding these concerns. As we shared, our team is looking into your concerns further and will reach out to discuss. Thank you for your continued patience.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Worst experience ever. Two pods attempted to be delivered across country. The geniuses at PODs split up the order. Now, we have no idea where the second POD is. 17 days and counting. Who will pay for my second day of unloaders?

PODS response

We’re disappointed to see this, Paul. We encourage you to send us an email at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we may best assist.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2021

They waited 2 weeks to tell me my pod didn't deliver. I flew to the location to meet the delivery for unloading etc and they called me to reschedule at the last minute when they could have told me 2 weeks in advance. I am having to get hotel or make other arrangements for a place to stay. I have kids that were supposed to see me and now I don't have a place for them to stay. I am extremely pissed off.

PODS response

We can understand how you're feeling and would like to research this further, Daniel. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

PODS Company Information