2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.34/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

PODS rents containers to movers interested in partial do-it-yourself moves in 44 states. Unlike other moving companies, PODS doesn't charge based on the weight of your possessions. Instead, the company's costs are based on the number of containers you rent and the rental period. PODS rents on a month-to-month basis.

BOTTOM LINE

PODS is a great option for budget-conscious movers who don't want to transport their belongings themselves. Some long-distance moves cost a bit more, but several consumer reviews praise the company's convenience.

PROS

• No driving required
    • Long rentals
    • Affordable options

CONS

• Not available in all states

Top PODS Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

I had them deliver a pod to a stationary location and stored stuff in it for about a year while I was moving and building a house. And then the second occasion. ... I loaded up a pod and had them transport my household goods to my new location. ... I'm extremely satisfied with PODS.

The PODS reps were very good and they answered all my questions very clearly. They were very punctual even the night before. They informed me exactly when they were coming and they called 15 minutes before they came. ... They were also very careful in transporting it. I would rate them excellent.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is PODS?

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps consumers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. PODS has containers in 44 states and across the world. It's a good idea to book a move with PODS far in advance because containers rent quickly. Customers in larger cities should check local regulations to confirm it is legal to park a PODS container in the street for an extended period.

PODS doesn't offer service in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming.

PODS cost

Although costs vary based on customer location and length of rental, you can expect a local move with PODS to cost about $500. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $5,000. Monthly storage costs start at $150 a month.

Estimated PODS costs

Move typeEstimated cost
      Local moveAbout $500
      Long-distance move$1,000 - $5,000
      Monthly storage$150

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. Note that the room capacity below refers to all rooms, not just bedrooms, so a 16-foot container holds the contents of three to four rooms, not an entire three- or four-bedroom apartment.

FeatureDimensions (feet)Maximum weightRoom capacityGood for
      7-foot container7' by 7' by 8'5,200 poundsOneStudio apartment
      12-foot container8' by 8' by 12'4,700 poundsTwo to threeSmall local moves
      16-foot container8' by 8' by 16'4,200 poundsThree to fourLarger moves

Note: The 12-foot container is only available for local moves.

PODS has two options for insurance.

• Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to a moving container while it’s on your property.
      • Content insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the packed items inside the container. Note: It doesn’t cover water damage.

PODS also sells a number of moving supplies:

• Packing paper
      • Cushioning material
      • Moving blankets

PODS FAQ

Are PODS waterproof?
      PODS containers keep out most precipitation, but it’s best to treat them as if some moisture could get in. This helps avoid any damage to your possessions.
      Are PODS allowed on the street?
      Street parking for PODS varies by municipality. Contact your local authorities to ensure you comply with regulations.
      Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
      Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
      How long can you keep a POD?
      PODS containers rent out on a month-to-month basis. There is no maximum rental period.

Is PODS worth it?

PODS might be worth it to those looking for an affordable way to move. Although PODS moves your items from one location to another, you are the one that packs and unpacks your things. However, this is the main reason you save money. We also like that PODS has 30-day rentals, which gives you more time to pack and is useful for long-distance moves.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: March 28, 2020

Our first POD arrived a day ahead of us and when it did we received a call from the driver only known as Jeff. He told me that he was able to place it in the driveway as requested however he thought we should know that somehow the lock had come loose and the bolts fell off on the inside and our POD was not secure. After I told him we would not be there for another day and didn't know any of the neighbors. He went all the way back to the yard and got what he needed to fix and secure our POD. Jeff went above and beyond and saved a old guy from a lot of stress and possible heart failure.

PODS response

Shout-out to the PODS team! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Paul! Thank you for choosing PODS for your moving/storage needs!

Original review: March 24, 2020

We recently relocated from Texas to Tennessee and we chose to use PODS for the first time rather than renting U-Haul trucks. It was a very good experience for me and my family and we would recommend Pods to just about anyone. Pricing is comparable but gets a lot higher if you end up renting the Pods over time rather than moving them to your next home within the month of starting the Pods.

We had to rent ours for three months (3- 16' pods x 257.00 per pod monthly fee). It added up but was part of the deal going into it so we knew it could happen going into it if we did not find our new home here in TN (which we still haven't)...so we moved them into local storage to save on the monthly rental fees. Just something to really think about. The pods staff and drivers are GREAT. They are GREAT people and employees and they were all very good to deal with on the phone and in person.

PODS response

Brandon, we couldn't be more happy to have assisted you with your move! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! Thanks for choosing PODS! We hope to do business with you again in the future!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My only complaint is that I paid for delivery and pickup of POD on the end of the move and did not get this. I was assured three days before the drop off it was no problem and then received a call that it could not be done. I have moved into a senior living complex with very limited parking and the POD had to stay over 24 hours in the parking area for visitors and took up 2 spaces. When I was told it was not a problem I believe I should have received the service I paid for. I will continue to check my credit card account to make sure I was refunded my extra charge.

PODS response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Ellen. We'd like to learn more about your experience with us, please reach out to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can take a look.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Overall I was happy with the service. The people who dropped off and picked up the pod were very friendly. My only glitch with this service was I had to call customer service 6 times in the span of 2 days for the redelivery of my POD because I noticed the address I provided was incorrect on my redelivery document. Every time I called, the representative said they changed it, but the change was never reflected in my account. Finally someone realized that their system was overriding the change and not saving the address I was providing them. Once they got that figure out it was all smooth sailing. My house is new construction so the address glitch was not their fault, but I wish someone from customer service had caught the issue the 1st or 2nd time so I didn’t have to call 6 times.

PODS response

We appreciate your review, Bailey. We're glad everything worked out well, and we'll make sure to get your feedback to our team.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We used two pods during our move, with 3 weeks of storage in between. We saw terrible reviews for the PODS in the mid-Hudson region after we booked it and even tried to change our house-closing dates. My husband drove to the PODS storage facility and found a new building where the PODS are stored indoors. Ultimately, we were very pleased with our move from the time the Pod was originally dropped off, to pick up, and redelivery. All happened on the agreed upon dates and the timing worked well each time. We were present for each delivery but not for the final pick up. Our belongings were in perfect condition, even considering our unprofessional loading job. The pricing structure seemed fair and the move with storage fit our needs perfectly.

PODS response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, Carolyn. It definitely sounds like PODS was the right move for your move. We look forward to working together again in the future.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
        Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

We scheduled our PODS to be dropped off and picked up the same day a month ago. Now they say they can't pick them up until 2 days later. This will cause us to be charged an extra month of storage (almost $500). Also, they won't give you a time of arrival until 9 PM the night before. How is someone supposed to schedule movers when you can't tell them when to be there until 9 PM the night before. Terrible. When call, customer service person was arrogant and condescending. She also lied about what had been agreed to a month before. Just horrible people and processes. You would think a logistics company would have better processes.

PODS response

We certainly don't like to see you were displeased with our services, Greg. Please send us an email at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can learn more about what went wrong and how we can help moving forward.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I had not been in my POD since it had been contaminated with dust at the storage facility. At the time the company offered to have all of my items cleaned at no cost to me. However upon receiving my POD the way they repacked things was not done with care. I had a pool table that was broken, several boxes including ones marked fragile were crushed. It was not repacked with the care that I had taken when first packing the POD myself. On top of that I thought they were misleading when quoting the price, they mentioned the delivery fee but failed to mention the transport fee and I was hit with a much larger bill than I was expecting. I do not recommend and will not use their service in the future.

PODS response

Hi, Ashley! We’re disappointed to see this. We encourage you to send us an email at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we may best assist.

Original review: July 30, 2020

PODS delivered my container today and it's blocking entry to my driveway and garage. After waiting almost an hour to reach a representative, I was told that someone won't be available until August 6th. So, now I have to wait a week to get the POD moved over to provide availability to the driveway and garage. I was hoping for a better experience and a more timely response than a week.

PODS response

We can certainly understand how you're feeling, Shamika. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can look into this and help get this taken care of. Thanks!

Original review: July 29, 2020

We had a good experience with PODS overall. Customer service was fantastic and very available. Our only issue was with the size of the PODS. I think the actual sq ft you can fit in a POD should be more clear. A 4 bedroom will not fit in 2.

PODS response

Hi, Katharine! We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. It'll be shared with the appropriate teams as we're always looking to better serve our customers.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Excellent experience. Delivery and pickups were fast and always updates me on timing. Convenient and will use again in the future. Thanks for all your hard work in helping me move. We had a good experience. Thanks for the military discount..... Best way to change schedule is use the chat online as you will not have to wait as long as the phone call. Faster and you can cut and paste your order number on the site.

PODS response

Hi, Paul! We’re happy that you're pleased with your service from PODS and look forward to doing business with you in the future. Thanks for the great review!

PODS Company Information