3.99/5

Discover the right moving company for you

PODS

PODS is a moving and storage company that provides customers an innovation solution. PODS delivers a level container and allows unlimited time for individuals to load and unload their belongings knowing that they will not be damaged.

PODS is a great solution for personal belongings or business equipment. We promise to provide convenient, flexible, security, and control for your storage or move. Call us today for a free quote!

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2525 PODS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

December ‘18 I moved to condo complex w/ tandem parking. POD delivered w/o issue. Unfortunately POD can’t be removed with cars in tandem parking. No assistance or response from Senior CS or local staff. COMPANY VERY DIFFICULT TO WORK WITH!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I was selling my old home and needed to stage it for the sale. My realtor recommended PODS as our fake garage was filthy and no place to store our valuables. The only good things was the POD was very clean, it was delivered the day it was scheduled, and our stuff was safe. Now for the bad news. Unless you are moving from one house with a huge driveway to another house with a huge driveway do not rent form PODS! They will flat out give all sorts of lame excuses why they can't park your POD and won't deliver it.

The drivers in the Everett, WA area are completely unprofessional, rude, and irritable. I never got an apology from the driver or his manager. My new home turned out to be a Town Home next to a green belt. There would have been plenty of space on the road or at the green belt to park our pod next to our townhome. But because our driveway was very small they refused to park it. They did not even bother to tell me or research beforehand that the city would not allow them to park on the street. They expected me to know this. Instead they drive all the way up there and say they can park it on most streets when that is inaccurate.

The day before our move got there and I tried calling the delivery guy three times to help decide where to park our POD so we could have our movers unload it the next day. The rude man who obviously hates his job and women as he kept hanging up on me and said he would figure it out. So I assumed it would be taken care of and not like I'm going to expect him to call me or want to call the rude man back. So I work on some projects and don't hear my phone ring. I get a voice message saying he is taking it back to the warehouse because we don't have a driveway.

Frantic I call him back and like a baby he says I didn't answer the phone. Well girl, I tried calling and talking to you three times to figure out what to do and you hung up. He claimed the city wouldn't allow him to park on the street which I understand, but what about the green belt? There was plenty of space. He said he didn't want to block the driveway across from us. The POD wouldn't have and the house was vacant, up for sale. I called the corporate office and had to nag them to say they would give him a talking to. It cost us an extra $440 dollars to have our movers come out a second day to unload the POD in Everett, bring it to our new home, and unload it again into our house.

So what should have been one day of moving turned into two. I complained to PODs about this and they refused any kind of compensation and made lame excuses, and blamed me for not sending them photos. Not impressed! It did not save us any money. We should have gotten a storage unit and a U-Haul truck. It would have cost the same amount without the drama.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We had our pod delivered and never thought to open it with everything going on with this quick move. We had family come over to help move to put furniture in storage. When we opened the pod it was muddy all over the floor. Of course we had snow that day so I had no hose to wash it out. I had to try and put plastic down on the floor so that my furniture won't get mud on it. It will be in storage like that for 3 months.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

This company does not stand behind their service. Worst customer service I have ever encountered. My POD was suppose to ship on September 20th, (which they billed me for) to their holding facility nearest my destination. I was told I would have access to my belongings. On October 2nd I called to have POD sent to final destination only to find out it never left original destination. To make a long story short, they wanted to charge me for expedited service, did not want to accept responsibility for their error and offered me a "customer care credit" of some ridiculous amount like 250.00. We paid approx. 3200.00 for this service plus added expenses of a hotel for an additional week that we did not have our stuff. I cannot encourage anyone who reads this enough, to please use another company!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Dec.4th I made arrangements to have POD taken out of storage and deliver to my home Jan. 2nd. I got a confirmation email and text that it would be delivered by 9:30 a.m. this morning. It is now 6:40 p.m. I have called 2 times and keep being told logistics have been notified and "they" are only a call center. Don't even consider PODS, they collected $1283.00 to ship POD and no one can tell me where it is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

My husband and I moved from MN to AZ and decided to use PODS as our carrier. We would never recommend this company to anyone based upon our experience. In short, our storage unit was somehow cracked during transit from MN to AZ. The top is made out of plastic, so we are assuming when the loader came and placed it on the truck it was damaged. The crack was over 4 feet long and was not present when we loaded all of our personal belongings. The POD was then taken to a storage unit in MN for 3 weeks, transported down to AZ and stored for another 3 weeks before being delivered to our new home.

As we were unloading our belongings into our new place we noticed standing water all over our furniture inside the pod. For a while, we thought something exploded inside a box. Unfortunately, we found the 4 foot crack in the plastic top. We moved during monsoon season and who knows how much water was let into the unit while being transported down to AZ. All of our belongings were destroyed and had black mold covering most areas.

Luckily, we paid for extra personal belonging insurance but had to wait 9 weeks to receive our reimbursement check. It was a horrible customer experience and we wouldn't wish that stress upon anyone! PODS will not refund us any of the transport money we paid for their service and charged us before the pod was dropped off at the final destination so we had no way of knowing it was damaged. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR SERVICE! It's not worth the hassle and having your belongings destroyed.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Hello all! I am an active duty military member and as some of you may or may not know am required to move frequently for my work. I recently had a change of station from Virginia to San Clemente, CA (Camp Pendleton, the largest Marine Corps base in the country). I elected to use PODS because it seemed like a flexible service that would allow us a large amount of time to pack our house up. When the POD was delivered, all seemed right. They promptly picked it up, too. With total transparency, I was quite happy with the services up to this point.

Fast forward to today, 12/22/2018. My wife and I are sitting on two cardboard boxes that we had in the back of my truck that we drove across country to California. The 16' x 8' POD that houses-- well, our house-- was due to arrive at 7:30 AM this morning and we were excited to unpack and put up our Christmas tree. Turns out it is over six hours away in Northern California- one of the contacts that had input our new address into the system accidentally used "Ave" instead of "Lane", and additionally used a zip code that happened to be closer to San Fransisco than San Clemente.

After the very compassionate delivery driver that I had on the phone so eloquently put: "Sorry man, this is a big **-up. I think you gotta call Brandan". So call Brandan I did. Brandan is a dispatcher of some sort that works at the facility where my POD was wrongly delivered to. He wasn't much in the mood for talking, but he at least told me that he couldn't do anything and I should just call up headquarters because they were the only ones that could "ACTUALLY do anything".

Headquarters, at least, had some answers. Their answer was that I should immediately pay another $1,794.00 (down from $1802.00 with that sweet military discount applied) so that the container could be shipped to the proper address- you know, the one I originally gave them. The women that was quoting us seemed genuinely upset that this was happening, but it was hard to not be frustrated with her on the phone since she happened to be the bearer of bad news. I eventually was talking to a supervisor named Christian. They did agree to review all of the phone conversations leading up to the error to find fault in either myself or themselves. This review however will take up to five business days. I can wait to pay them, but if I want my stuff and I do pay, I am taking responsibility for all charges.

Yes that is right, looks like my family who has no family or friends in this area seeing as we just MOVED ACROSS THE COUNTRY will apparently be sitting on these boxes eating a nice take-out meal for Christmas. The earliest they can possibly get us the container is January 2nd, 2019, so I guess New Year's will be a little underwhelming this year.

Hey man, I can roll with the punches and I do plan on fighting this with every asset I have at my disposal, but please be wary. A company that is not even attempting to work with you in this kind of situation probably is not one you should trust with something so important to you and your family. I'm sure there are plenty of other reputable moving companies that can offer you far superior service and that wouldn't in good conscience leave you in such a predicament with such little effort to rectify it. It can always be worse, but man this SUCKS! I wish you all a Merry Christmas & God Bless!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Do not use this company! They will rip you off! Read all of the various reviews. Unfortunately I have to give 1 star, otherwise I would give negative infinity for my bad experience. When I ordered the POD, I was given a price for the PODS delivery, pickup, transportation to the PODS storage, first month of rent, PODS re-delivery to my location, and final pick up. I was told what the monthly storage fee would be if I needed it stored for 2 months. I was told to schedule all pickup/delivery dates through their website. The only positive thing I can say about our PODS experience was the PODS drivers were great. I was shocked when I looked at my credit card bill then at their final invoice. I was charged an additional $157.48 and this included a non-paved surface fee. The funny thing is I took photos/video of all PODS delivery/pick up and everything is on a paved surface.

I called PODS. They must train all of their “customer service” people to be rude. They told me I was lying about the charges I was told I would be paying and I was charged the non-paved surface fee because I scheduled the re-delivery of the POD on their website. These people are ludicrous. Since they fraudulently placed charges on my credit card, I contacted my credit card company. They promptly opened a dispute, and told me they were placing a temporary credit on my account until the dispute can be resolved.

Funny thing is each time I speak to my credit card company about PODS they say, "We hear that a lot about PODS." For the past month PODS has been sending me threatening emails and letters that they are sending my account to a collection agency for non-payment. I have tried speaking with various “customer service” people at PODS, but they are all extremely rude and tell me I am lying. Kind of weird as I know what my paved driveway looks like, I know what I was told when I ordered the POD as I wrote down everything and repeated it multiple times to the sales guy.

In the past 2 weeks I have spoken to the same billing “manager” as they keep calling with their threatening message of collections. After each call with PODS I call my credit card company for an update. They advise the charges are still in dispute, they are waiting for PODS to contact them as they are being unresponsive, and they should not be threatening me with collections. Today PODS called to threaten collections. I told them I have not heard from my credit card company about a resolution.

They said they won the dispute and if I do not make an immediate payment before the end of this month they are sending my account to collections. I told them I would be calling my credit card company and they said they would call me back in 30 minutes. Again my credit card company told me the charges were still in dispute with no resolution because PODS has not responded to them. Then the credit card company made a really good point. If PODS had won the dispute the temporary credit they placed on my account for PODS fraudulent charges of $157.48 would have been removed and I would see the charges on my next credit card bill.

The credit card company told me I was the 3rd customer they have spoken with today involving PODS and they are threatening collections hoping to scare me into paying them. Another good point, if I were to cave to PODS' threats and if I lose the dispute PODS will be paid by the credit card company when they remove the temporary credit. Please do not, DO NOT use PODS, you will end up being scammed!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I thought, like many others, that PODS would be a simple way to move my belongings across county. In my case, from NJ to Florida. Boy it has been a true nightmare! Moving is stressful enough and if I could have given this company NO STARS I would have! Today, Dec. 18th - their computer systems have been down most of the day. I tried accessing online and via phone customer service and hit a brick wall. I've been told to keep calling back to ascertain when their systems would be up and running. And was also told that 10PM is when they close for the night with no way to find out any information until 8AM in the morning!

So, that means that if their systems are not up and running, you, the customer, are basically screwed. No emergency backup plan having employees stay online to help the PAYING customer until the computer system is working again! Really? I needed to verify that the FOUR Pods that I have paid thousands of dollars for will be available for on site self loading. I was forced to go this route because there was a shortage of drivers at the facility; and therefore, they couldn't bring a POD to my house to be unloaded, picked it up the same day and another one dropped off on the same day to continue unloading.

I was forced to hire a moving company who would have to go to their pod storage site, unload the pods onto a truck; then unload the pods at my house. It will take at least two trips to do all that is needed to do. All I had to do today was verify that the site manager would have all four pods sitting on the lot for this. Simple right? Nope - not when you are dealing with this company. The customer service rep - whom I was very polite to - hung up the phone on me because I said that PODS management should have had a back up plan in place in the event that the computer system went down. There is no way - across the Entire country that they can even contact a site, via a phone call, for example to accommodate the paying customer to ensure that everything is in place.

If their computer system is screwed up - so are you, the paying customer. It becomes your problem, once again, to work around PODS incompetency, but boy, are they quick enough to charge your credit card! I should have known better. When I originally ordered one of the pods, the site manager never bothered scanning in one of the large pods with my furniture in it. There was NO record. Luckily I had written down the pod storage number and was able to provide Pods with this so my stuff could be tracked. So the saga continues.

Don't know if I will encounter any problems tomorrow when my movers show up; but I would never ever recommend using PODS for moving anything - not even around the block. You're better off hiring people who have professionalism, friendly customer service, and the ability to handle internal emergencies. This definitely isn't what PODS.COM is all about. Stay away unless you want to pop ** and watch the money drain out of your wallet into their money pit with no help on their end.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

It sounds so simple, they drop off a box, you load it up, they deliver It and you unload it, right? How hard can that be? Well, my experience was terrible. I will never use this company again. Moving is hard enough as it is. Do yourself a favor, read the reviews and find another company. These guys will only make your life harder.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

PODS was great for storage but once I requested it to be moved cross country it has been a headache from first call. Inconsistent information, delivery dates change, terrible customer service and when talking to the billing department the woman did not seem to know what she was talking about. Still no delivery of my POD and I have to wait for my credit card statement to see what they have done in regards to billing. Thumbs down for this company if you need a long distance move.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

After a year of my property being stored in POD I requested for my pod delivered. Well my pod was stored 2 hours ago which was suppose to be in next town. However they didn't tell me nor did they realize it until the day before my pod was to be delivered. Apparently for them to deliver they needed to bring it to Lakeland FL before I could schedule my delivery. My pod was being stored in Daytona Beach FL. I couldn't get a straight answer as to why it couldn't go from Daytona to my house 116 miles away. I had been in contact with PODS customer service days prior as they would not deliver my pod until I paid the current month's rent of $260 then pay $106.49 for delivery. At no time in during the week was I told there was be issue delivering and I would be refunded my $260 if I had my pod delivered with 7 days of my payment due date.

So after I found out that they were not going to deliver my pod on the 6 day of refund period I said I would just get my things out of my pod and not have it delivered. Well then I was told it's 5 day grace period to get refund. How convenient. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was repeatedly told there was nothing anyone could do. Basically, "We screwed you... too bad."

In addition I had called this particular day three times and was hung up on each time I was put on hold. The last CSR rep who refused to get a supervisor told me it was satellites that drop my call as the customer service people never hang up on people. I asked why don't they call me back since they verified my phone number. He says they are too busy. Really. Whatever happen to customer service? I have choice. I am getting my stuff out of my pod today and contacting my bank to refund me my $260.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Stored furniture from June 2014 to January 2017. 1 lock was open when received. Do not proceed with move. I was told I should have called the office to complain and taken picture of open lock. Unpacked my 2 PODS... Very excited after 2 1/2 years. Over time, I realized I was missing items here and there. Christmas time, as I searched for Christmas decorations, realized all decorations had been stolen including 8 foot tree, ornaments from 30 years. My possessions had been cherry picked. Everything of value was gone. I called and was told I needed to show photos of what was lost. Had I taken pictures of my possessions? Are you kidding me? I received the form letter from the very sorry executive at PODS. I gave up too easily. Never ever again. Violated.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My number one piece of advice would be to record conversations with them as soon as you start getting quotes. Their prices change erratically and without notice. My second piece of advice would be to pick a different company! They started charging us all sorts of service fees and rescheduling fees (none of which were true). I got them reversed, but it would really be best to never give them authorization to charge your account. I saw another comment on here about a class action lawsuit, and I think that's a great idea.

Additionally, their scheduling and delivery department is a mess. Call centers have no idea where the drivers, or your unit, is. Could be solved with a simple scanner method like the postal service uses. They dropped off our POD at the wrong time and place in our complex, then blamed me for not setting aside 3 spots at the right place. How can I set aside spots if you are coming at the wrong time? Said they couldn't come back and move it for another week, even though the pick up date is sooner. How does that work?? Terrible organization, unclear, predatory billing, and a few very rude customer service reps makes for an awful experience. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We had a move from Boston to SF and the PODS customer service provided us with horrible service. First, they provided us with wrong information on the price and then they continued changing the price without providing any information. The did not provide us with any invoice and charge the credit card multiple times, and each time we called the customer service they came up with a new number. They never provided us with a list of costs and charged us extra $1650. We still did not receive our stuff, and there is no clarification on why they charged us. Next time will definitely not use PODS. Very bad service, very irresponsible.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I used PODS for a cross country move (NY to WA) after doing a thorough review of my options. I chose them because they had the best overall review at the time and I thought would be the cheapest option. I wish I would have opted for traditional movers even if it cost a bit more. First, I had to get a permit for the POD to be placed on my street, which was fine but cost me about a $100 a day in NY. That wasn't an issue until the POD driver didn't show up when he was supposed to and I lost a full day. I was told I might have to reschedule but refused to have to pay for another days permit. I also have yet to receive my POD nearly a month after I've moved (despite the dates I was originally told). For over two weeks the status of the POD just said "in transit" and no one could tell me where it was or when it would be arriving.

When it did arrive at the distribution center, I received notice Thursday night that it would be there at 8:30 am Saturday morning and that I needed a permit. I was also told that because of how far away my building is from the distribution center, that they only deliver three days a week and that my POD would be in the street for 4 days because they wouldn't be picking it up until the following Tuesday. Fortunately I managed to get to city hall the next day to get the 4 day permit and was also able to secure moving help for the next day to help move some of the heavier furniture out of the POD.

Saturday rolls around and no one shows up. When I call customer service I am told that they are still coming but there is a delay and that they will call when they are 30 min out. This happens a few more times. Around 4:00 pm the national distribution center in Florida calls me to tell me that there is a delay overall and they won't be coming and they need to reschedule.

She tells me all service windows are optional and the next available date for delivery is about 10 days later and that I will need to get a new permit. When I explain that this isn't okay I get put on hold several more times before she tells me that she has been told that they can't deliver to my location at all because the director at the distribution center has decided (without visiting my location or speaking to the city who reviewed the specifications and granted my permit) that they can't park the POD there. She suggests that I drive to the distribution center (over an hour away) to get the important items.

At this point I was furious so I called the customer service line (not the same as the people at the national distribution center) and was told that the drivers are still required to meet you on site in person to see the permit and inspect the site before saying the pod can't be placed there. I told her that my building was new and that the city told me the loading zone spot I have to use isn't on older maps but is there (they confirmed it and the parking space number). Had anyone just called me or come out to the site in person I would have been able to verify this. Instead, I was told the distribution center unilaterally decided the POD couldn't be placed and without even contacting me just didn't show up.

Customer service has been trying to work with me to get an earlier date for delivery (before the 10 days) but this was the only weekend date and I don't have time off during work to be there to show them the permit (which is complicating things). I also have had to pay cancelation fees on the movers and have to pay time and half for getting moving help after 5:00 pm (weekend rates are cheaper). PODS is going to cover the cost of a new permit but I still don't know how I am going to get there during work to pick it up.

I honestly have had to spend more money than expected because I don't have any of my belongings (I travelled with enough for a couple weeks, not more than a month) and at the end of the day really think it would have been a lot cheaper to go with someone else. I know this is a long post but I hope it is helpful to someone else. I haven't even had the chance to see what condition my items in the POD are in and at this point I don't even want to think about it...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I usually don’t write reviews, but after working in a customer service environment I feel that this experience needs to be heard. Me and my husband have been dealing with pods for 2 years now and when we first started everything was okay then we finally moved and decided to get our shipping container sent to us. At first I was quoted a fairly good price by one rep and when I called in that weekend the price jumped about 300 and some odd dollars. They put in an incident report assigning us to a case manager that never replies or calls us back after leaving a voicemail to see if the price can go back to what we were quoted the first time. I had numerous reps telling us that it doesn’t take long at all, but still haven’t heard anything.

I then finally coughed up the money to just pay it so we can get our furniture and they reimburse us later and they apparently did not disclose information to us on the call so the day my container is suppose to ship it now can’t because a rental agreement was not done which we had no idea about. I had to call back in and reschedule another date which is a week after I wanted the container. Now I am waiting for a manager to call us and apparently that takes days too. This experience had been horrible and I will NEVER put my stuff in another one of their containers. Lesson Learned!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My sister rented a PODS container to be delivered to her home to do some remodeling. She had a stroke and could not speak. So I called the PODS customer service who was very nice but when it came to the Little Rock location, they were not compassionate at all. I needed them to pick up the PODS which was in my sister's driveway. She is being brought home from rehabilitation via ambulance and needs the PODS container removed from her driveway in order for the ambulance to bring her home. She had missed her October 2018 payment because of the stroke and was not able to have her funds transferred in a timely manner. I asked could they pick up the PODS container and I would work out a plan to pay them within the next two weeks for the delinquent payment but the Little Rock owner said no.

They will not pick it up unless the October 2018 is paid in full and the pick up fee. I don't have power of attorney over her finances yet but is willing to pay for this out of my pocket. I have managed to pay her mortgage this month and had to fly from out of state to come to Arkansas to take care of her and her finances. If she had died would they have left the PODS unit in her driveway to continue to charge her monthly and a pick fee? We are not trying to avoid paying, we just can't pay it by Friday, November 9, 2018. If this is not paid and/or picked up by Friday, November 9, 2018, she will be charged for another month on November 10, 2018. People don't plan on having strokes or heart attacks or death. It just happens and this is one of those cases that it just happened. There were no warning signs.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

It would be difficult to overstate how poor my experience with Pods was, both from delivery of the storage unit to the follow up after I documented the damage my belongings suffered as a result of the leaking unit they rented me. First, despite a detailed conversation with their representative in Florida who took the time to review satellite images of the proposed location of the POD, the driver on delivery told me the location would not work. He went on to say that the people in sales are not informed about conditions on the ground. This turned out to be correct. Fortunately, after the driver was on the verge of leaving without depositing the unit (an experience he said was not uncommon), we found an alternate site. All good.

The unit remained in place for a period of 7 months while my home underwent a renovation. On pick up, I informed the driver that many of the items I stored in the unit were wet and covered with mold. He looked inside and outside the POD and pointed out all of the places where leaking had occurred; he said they would need to be repaired and told me that I should contact customer service. I did as he suggested and sent along photos documenting the damage to my property. More than 2 months later, I received an email declining my claim and taking no responsibility for the damaged unit they rented me. Do not use PODS if you care about your personal property while it is in the care. I feel sorry for whatever customer ended up being stuck with the same leaky, old storage unit that was rented to me. PODS is no more than a slum landlord and I will make sure that everyone I know never makes the mistake of using them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My husband works in customer service (CS), so I don't like to write bad CS reviews. Unfortunately our experience with PODS this last month has me vowing never to use them ever again, and to spread the word about how our experience demonstrates how the company simply doesn't care about their customer experience! The pick up and storage legs of the POD experience were relatively smooth. The first misinformation we got from PODS happened we called to scheduled the drop off, and they told us that for an extra $100 we could schedule a guaranteed drop off in the morning. But when my husband called back to reserve the morning drop off, he was told by a different CS person that it was no longer possible to do.

We were very concerned about the delivery of the POD, because our new inner city neighborhood had a high crime rating on Trulia and folks I'd talked to said they'd heard of people's belongings being stolen out of moving trucks and PODS there in the past. So it was absolutely non-negotiable that we move our stuff out the same day that the POD was delivered. The day before our move, we were given a delivery window for the POD, from 11-2pm. We asked (pleaded!) with the person on the phone to make a request for a delivery as early as possible so we could move everything out before dark. I left my work early, and arrived by 1:45 that day to help with the move, and to my dismay, my husband and I spent the next THREE HOURS on the phone with three or four different POD CS employees trying to figure out where our container was and trying to get someone to help us.

That three hour window was really what ruined the experience for us. One CS person told us that we would receive a full refund for our delivery costs (about $140) due to our poor experience, and they sent it over for approval. But the next person we talked to, the manager of PODS in our city, said he wouldn't approve the refund because he "didn't have the authority" to do so. When we called the main CS line back, they said he did have the authority and passed us back to him. The manager was incredibly rude to my husband on the phone, and we finally gave up and called CS and were told then to file a complaint through their system. In the meantime, it was 5pm and our POD still hadn't showed up, I had given up three hours of billable work time, and we'd pushed back our movers' arrival time a half dozen times.

Finally, our POD showed up, over 3 hours outside the window, and I watched in HORROR as the POD driver used the machine to hammer the container from the side into place on the street. Every time it clanged against the side of the container I heard the sound of things crashing inside against the walls! I took a video of this as proof of how awful it was. Finally the driver left, after giving us his POD business card guaranteeing "complete satisfaction" and we began scrambling to get everything inside moved before dark. Thankfully, because we had friends who are professional packers help us pack the POD, nothing was broken, but if we had just packed it ourselves I'm sure things would have been destroyed given how the driver banged against the container.

The next morning, there was graffiti all over the POD and someone had tampered with our lock (so we were relieved we'd made the decision we did about moving everything out same day). A MONTH later, we heard back from PODS CS saying they don't guarantee delivery of a POD during the drop off window and they tell customers not to schedule movers for the same day as delivery - so they would not be refunding us and weren't going to be able to do anything for us.

We asked about the business card we'd received, and the CS person told us she didn't know of any drivers handing out business cards and PODS wasn't responsible for the guarantee that was written on the card! We just couldn't believe how rude she was to us, and how unhelpful she was in helping us to resolve our problem. Even my husband (as someone who works in CS and gets a lot of complaints) said it was the absolute worst customer service experience he has ever had.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We scheduled delivery of three 16 foot PODS to our family home after damage following Hurricane Michael. The delivery of the first 2 PODS was earlier than expected which was wonderful considering our circumstances. Our experience with the delivery was exceptional. Rory was the BEST!!! He was polite, kind, and courteous. He dropped off one POD then went to pick up another one and returned as he promised with the other one. During difficult times not everyone can be counted on to do what they say they will do. Thanks to the PODS team but especially to Rory who went out of his way to help us.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Got “locked out of POD” and they don’t care. "Oh we will send someone out tomorrow." Wasting the whole day because of their 3 hr windows so my poor movers are on standby. Every time I call and speak to a representative they know nothing, they’re prompted to feed you the same nonsense responses that tell you nothing. They have no idea where their drivers are or where on route they are. They all tell you different responses when you call too. One told me no later than 215 pm someone would be here. Now they said 345 pm. When I asked what happens when a door can’t be opened, they said they don’t know. They only work in call center. How’s helpful is that. They hire a bunch of morons to answer calls that know nothing about what their company actually does. They could care less if your belongings arrive on time or in one piece. I hate PODS and I’ll never move with them again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

They were very nice and helpful when I order my 5 PODS, however, when it came time to redeliver back the pods, the pricing doubled. What they promised is not what they charged, there is all kinds of extra charges. There is absolutely no customer service, there is no one you can speak with that will look into the matter and take responsibility. Please do not, DO NOT use PODS, you will end up paying double what they quoted and feel totally cheated like myself!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

PODS told me they were going to deliver the POD to Wilmington DE and it would be delivered within a couple days of when I call to have it delivered. They did not deliver it to Wilmington DE. Instead they kept it in the South and it took 11 days and many phone calls to get it delivered to where it needed to be. I would not use this company again. Also the customer service was terrible.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Ordering the pod was easy and receiving empty pod was simple. When it came time to have the pod transported and delivered is where the problems started. I had set a time and date to be transported on a Friday and redelivered to my new address on Wednesday. Wednesday comes and husband takes the day off to receive the pod but no phone call to say when pod will come. I call the company. First rep says oh yes it should be there at 7:45 am. It was 7 am already. I said okay great. 8:45 still no pod, okay I call back. The lady then tells me oh hold on one moment, I knew something was wrong.

She then comes back to tell me my pod had in-fact not been transported yet It is still in another state! I said okay. Well how come I did not receive a call when my things did not ship? She had no answer, I said where is my stuff and when am I getting it? She says, "Oh it's being transported today so you won't receive it until 10/20." It was 10/17, I am sitting in an empty house with two kids and none of our belongings, they tell me they will create a incident report and someone will contact me. I don't believe it. I know things happen but the lack of communication is awful. Why was I not notified that my things had not left another state? They had from Friday to Wednesday to call me but they did not, I am extremely dissatisfied and I will never use them again or recommend them. I hope my things actually show up.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We decided to use Pods to move all of our furniture, Paintings, TVs, family history/diary/ nonreplaceable photos and so so much more. We ordered one (7) foot Pod and two (16) foot Pods which was dropped off one at a time on different days which went perfect. We are moving from (California Upland to Kerrville Texas). Long story short everything was going great till today when we called to pay for the monthly pay for 3 Pods and to give date and new address in (Kerrville Texas) for the Pods to be delivered to the new address. Well, they told us after billing us for 3 Pods being one 7 foot and two 16 foot Pods that they only have two pods on record and a third does not exist that we have to give them the container # because they don't keep file numbers on record of containers. I explained that we have thousands of dollars and our whole life is in the so-called lost 16 foot Pod container.

We then was told that they will see what they can do and they will call back within the day... no call back ever happened and it made us feel like we have been robbed. So now we are forced to call the local police department to file a theft report on Pods and most likely legal actions. I am now left with my girlfriend crying and stressed with all of our furniture and her family history and childhood photos gone and still have to pay them monthly for three Pods till this issue is resolved.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Their website states, “All the time you want... No deadlines. Moving and storage the way you need it done... Flexibility.” None of this is true. Their so called “scheduling” is to their benefit, not the customers. I requested a late pickup, around 5.30 pm, two weeks prior to our move. The night before, I received an email stating they would pick up between noon and 3 pm. I called that morning to see if they could come later... And while I was holding, a voice message stated that they were coming between 9.15 and noon! This was totally unacceptable. They changed the time on me without any phone call or email. I was shocked, extremely upset, stressed and angry.

We never had a chance to pack up the rest of our household goods because the POD driver came at 10.30. With all the stress of moving, I had to quickly find a storage unit and find a U-Haul to move the rest of our stuff. We are moving to another state, so this is huge and now we have to move twice. This has caused more stress, more money and more time because they care more about their scheduling than their customers. DO NOT USE. Read the rest of the reviews. All bad. I will never use them again and I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have moved 19 times in my life and this was BY FAR the worst experience ever. The door to the pod would not open once it arrived at our new home and the solution they came up with was to tilt the POD on a 45 degree angle and shake the pod on the lift. Subsequently every single piece of furniture and pieces of art that we own is either scratched, dented or fully destroyed. Their response is to file a claim with their insurance which has turned out to be completely NON-RESPONSIVE. Save yourself the heartache and DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My items were severely damaged in shipment (and I am a 20-year collector) and the insurance is bogus. They accepted zero responsibility. Just skip dealing with this service - which is too bad - it could have been something special.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Needed to be out of my apartment on a Sunday so I ordered the Pod for Thursday. My Window of delivery was 12-3 pm. I had three movers there and we waited and waited. Finally called at 3:30 - told me they would send an email and call back in an hour. Called back at 4:30 and he said our driver ran out of hours so the delivery would be rescheduled. Was anyone going to contact me if I hadn’t reached out to know about this?

Then they reschedule me for Saturday- I asked if I could be the first pod out that morning because I needed to be out of my apartment by Sunday at 11 am. There was no time to reschedule if the driver were to run out of hours again. I received the delivery estimate for 4- 7 pm. I called and could get no help or condolences in getting it there any sooner. Driver arrives at 5 pm and says the alley is too narrow and refused to drop the pod. He told me my only option was to get a permit from the city and “good luck because it’s a Saturday.” He left with the pod never delivered. Had to send movers home once again.

The communication from this company is so unprofessional. They made a mistake and refuse to take action or correct the situation. There should be more communication from the drivers and suggestions for the city permit vs. an alley drop off as there was no time for me to get a permit after their own rescheduling.

They should also have specific workers or managers per case. That way you don’t have to describe your situation or problem every single time you call the 800 extension. I would not recommend PODS. The only reason for two stars is because I did get my full refund. Moving is stressful enough - go with U-Pack or U-Haul.

PODS expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) is a storage and moving service that was established in 1988. Consumers choose the size of a container they need, and PODS ships it to them. Consumers then load the container, and PODS either stores it in one of their facilities or ships it where consumers need it to go.

• Container sizes: PODS containers come in three sizes: 7-foot container, with approximately 385 cubic feet; 12-foot container, with approximately 689 cubic feet; and 16-foot container, with about 924 cubic feet.

• Moving or storage options: PODS offers both moving and storage services. This is ideal for people on the move who may not have worked out a permanent residence.

• Military discount: PODS offers a discount for moving military families. The Personally Procured Move (PPM) program takes special care of military service men and women and their families to help with moves.

• How-to guide: PODS offers video tutorials and online guides for storing furniture and belongings in a PODS container for maximum efficiency and safety.

• Moving supplies: PODS also sells moving supplies like boxes, blankets, lifting straps, tie-downs and more to give consumers a one-stop location for all their moving needs.

• Best for: PODS is best people looking for moving solutions that give them more control over where their belongings are shipped and how they are prepared for transportation.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
    Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

PODS Company Information