2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.41/5

Compare Movers

PODS is a moving and storage company that provides customers an innovation solution. PODS delivers a level container and allows unlimited time for individuals to load and unload their belongings knowing that they will not be damaged.

PODS is a great solution for personal belongings or business equipment. We promise to provide convenient, flexible, security, and control for your storage or move. Call us today for a free quote!

PODS Reviews

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

I found PODS to be very reliable. They were timely, came on the day and times as promised. The PODS were very clean inside, you didn't worry about putting your furniture and belongings inside. Everyone I dealt with was very friendly and helpful including the drivers. I would highly recommend PODS to anyone who is planning a move.

PODS response

Thank you so much for your kind words. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Virginia! We hope to see you again!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We used two pods during our move, with 3 weeks of storage in between. We saw terrible reviews for the PODS in the mid-Hudson region after we booked it and even tried to change our house-closing dates. My husband drove to the PODS storage facility and found a new building where the PODS are stored indoors. Ultimately, we were very pleased with our move from the time the Pod was originally dropped off, to pick up, and redelivery. All happened on the agreed upon dates and the timing worked well each time. We were present for each delivery but not for the final pick up. Our belongings were in perfect condition, even considering our unprofessional loading job. The pricing structure seemed fair and the move with storage fit our needs perfectly.

PODS response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, Carolyn. It definitely sounds like PODS was the right move for your move. We look forward to working together again in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

The techs were very skilled in placing the Pod and removing it. They were able to place the Pod exactly where we hoped, it was so close to where we loaded and unloaded the contents. Both delivery and pickup to the first location and delivery and pick up to the final location were perfect. The techs were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. They seemed to truly care what we needed. They were all very courteous and patient.

PODS response

Appreciate the virtual high five, Elizabeth! We can't wait to share your compliment on a job well done with the team! Please come back and see us again soon.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

We moved cross country with PODS and they were the least expensive company we could move with. They dropped off their POD a week before the move and we filled it. They then trucked it to our new location and waited for us to call when we got there. Once called, the delivered it to our door. The only downside is that unless you live in a bigger city, they will not pick up your POD right away. Something that our landlord was not happy about. It took them a week to pick it up after we emptied it.

PODS response

Moving is not easy, so we’re glad we were able to help ease some of the stress along the way! Best wishes in your new home, Robert!

Original review: July 23, 2019

I had a very good experience with PODS - they arrived at exactly the time they said they would, charged exactly what they told me when they told me, and everyone I spoke to (during 2 calls to their headquarters and in 2 different cities) was professional, courteous, and warm. I felt very cared for as a customer. There was a problem with the POD door opening when it was redelivered to me, and the delivery person stayed a whole hour, moving things around and squeezing inside the pod with his tools to make sure it would open properly for me. He really went above and beyond, even helping me carry some things to my door - thanks Craig! The only issue I had was that I'm moving during the summer, and redelivery dates and times filled up FAST - I would reserve your time earlier rather than later. Overall, I would certainly recommend them and would use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I purchased a POD for my move from Sarasota FL to Austin TX and despite scheduling delivery for Jan 7th I have STILL yet to receive my POD. I’ve been living in a completely empty apartment with no furniture, no clothes, no crate or toys for my dog, nothing to sleep on. NOTHING. This company has been a complete nightmare to deal with. I keep getting assurance the POD will be here any day but it’s been two weeks now and still no POD. Do not ever do business with this company. Pay attention to the terrible reviews before you select them as a mover.

PODS response

This is concerning to hear and we’d like to look into it further, Tara. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can take a look at your account and best assist.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I paid for climate controlled storage and took out a Protection Plan. When POD returned, there was mold on everything, water stain on mattress and mold on and inside boxes. Claims department doesn’t respond to calls for 48 BUSINESS hours and then is not willing to help. Mold contaminated my home and cost thousands to clean and I was told the protection plan won’t cover mold. The pod tested positive for water leakage.... But I was paying for indoor storage! How did my contents get wet and full of mold?? I do not recommend PODS for storage!! The $50 a month protection plan helps PODS pay the insurance company to screw you over!!

PODS response

Hi, K! We encourage you to send us an email to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID. We'd like to take a closer look into this matter. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Was overcharged, called twice to resolve the issue, not fixed. They charged me for having their pod at their storage facility for two months when it was at my place of residence. Which was close to $150.00 more each month. The two people I spoke with just talked in circles when it was in black and white. They did not resolve anything. Just gave me the run-around. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

PODS response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Annette. We'd like to take a look at your account and help move things along. Please send us an email to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can get started.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

My experience with PODS moving and storage has been nothing short of negative. My experiences have ranged from: multiple different quotes (within the same day), lost information, inconsistency of information, lack of confirmation of quoted prices, rude representatives and creative billing procedures. I have found it very interesting that you cannot get them to email you with quotes or information but if they need money they can magically email you.

I called PODS moving and storage in June of 2019 to get an estimate on shipping part of my household goods to my next Duty location. I got two or three different quotes because of different sizes of PODS containers. The first representative I spoke with was very knowledgeable, gave me different ideas and different ways of moving my items. This was the only positive aspect of dealing with this company.

After speaking with them initially I never received any emails in regards to my price quote and even made sure to check my spam folder, but it never came in, until I called and spoke to someone else. However, I had to have a new quote and received a different price from what I was initially quoted just a few days prior. I then called them back within 10 days of my initial reservation quote to have my PODS delivered. This representative realized was paying for my delivery to my house in Louisiana, weight tickets, pickup and delivery to my new location in Maryland.

Although I did not have a new address I gave my gaining military base's address so they would be able to deliver it to the right servicing center. I knew I would not be staying on the installation, but within the servicing center's 20 mile radius. He informed me they could not deliver to Maryland until I had an actual physical address and would need to stay in Louisiana until I could call back and give them the new address. He also assured me this would be cheaper since I was moving during a peak in the moving season and August rates would go down. He informed me that the reason was due to area concerns and district rules. Even though I informed him multiple times I would be within the 20 mile radius of the main center servicing the military base I was going to.

After speaking with this representative I scheduled and, at the new price, paid for the drop off and had my PODS delivered on July 3, with a pickup of July 9. I will say the delivery driver was awesome and so far the only positive experience. I began loading my PODS that day, July 3, and was notified by the military I could not leave the original day planned, July 9. I called on July 5, before the close of business, and contacted a representative to reschedule my pickup from July 9, to July 10. This representative confirmed with me that my order was rescheduled for July 10, and there would not be charge for the reschedule. On Sunday July 7, (Sunday) at 11 p.m., I received an automated phone call and email stating that my PODS was would you to be picked up July 9, at 9 a.m.

I immediately called to find out what was going on, but it was after the close of business, and looked online and my date had never been changed from the original pickup date of July 9, to the new date of July 10, even though I had confirmed the change with the representative. I finally got in touch with a representative first thing in the morning July 8, (Monday), and they told me that the order had never been updated or changed and that they would change it. The representative tried to charge me a fee for the reschedule since it was less than the 24 hours’ notice. Fortunately I had who and when I spoke with on July 5, and speaking with a Tier 2 they agreed to reschedule without charging me a fee since it was their fault the order was not updated.

It was at this point I probably should have unloaded my stuff and told them to take their PODS back and I would have figured it out with a moving van or another company (UHF, who was cheaper) because this was just the start of my issues with this company. I called in August once I had secured a new house and tried to have it delivered. The representative tried to make me pay for the weight tickets I already paid for, and gave me an even higher price than what was initially quoted to me in July, and there was no available dates within the next two weeks. Now due to the new price I could not afford to have it delivered to my next house. At no point in time did they tell me I could have it delivered to the Elkridge Maryland facility and at least my stuff would be in state.

Since July my stuff has been sitting in Louisiana because I could not afford to pay due to the slow processing time of the military reimbursement of travel. What also made it difficult to budget for was the constantly changing price, in which they kept trying to make me pay for the weight tickets, for them to have it delivered to the new address. Finally after multiple attempts and multiple representatives changing their lines and quotes, a new representative informed me I could have it moved to Maryland without having to have it moved to my house. With all of the changing quotes I never received any email of the quotes even after asking multiple representatives to send it to me and a more than a few got rude and agitated when confronted about the lack of information or constantly changing information.

Finally Dec. 9, at 9 a.m. EST, I called to get a quote to see how much it was going to cost to get my PODS transported to Maryland, so could pay to have it transported. I received my quote and the representative asked why I hadn’t shipped before then. I told her the so far experience and she informed me the company did nothing wrong and tried to help me out by saving me money on transportation cost. When I explained the misrepresentation and misinformation from the different representatives, she informed me that she was a Tier 2 Supervisor and she had all of the correct information and no one from the company had done anything wrong. I still haven’t received the quote from that exchange. I told her I would call back later to confirm the order. I called back two hours later to confirm and to pay the quote to have my PODS started on its on its journey to Maryland.

When I called representative could not find my account through my phone number, email or name, and was informed I would have to have the customer service number or PODS number. I informed them I had spoken with someone, who lauded they were a Tier 2 Supervisor, and they had been able to pull up my information just two hours prior. Since I did not have the information handy, since I was driving, I would have to call back again with the information. I found my information and called back within 30 minutes and that representative still could not find my information by phone, name or email. I gave the representative my customer number and they located an account. I verified my pin but the name on the account was not mine but a Tom **.

I was able to correctly answer the challenge questions and even verify my credit card's last four numbers. … He informed me the representative, the one who lauded about being a Tier 2 Supervisor, had overwritten my personal information with someone else’s. I found it extremely humorous that the person I'd spoke to at 9 a.m. told me multiple times they were a supervisor and my problems were not an issue of PODS, that I was the one that was causing all the problems.

The representative who got my account straightened back out, after spending over an hour on the phone, he apologized for the error and would get my PODS on the way and verified my credit card information and scheduled my PODS to be shipped on Dec. 10, which would arrive in Maryland Dec. 17, and redelivered to me on Dec. 18. I checked with that customer representative multiple times to make sure I didn't need anything else and everything was good.

On Monday Dec. 9, I received an email that my account was not ready to be shipped that I needed to call customer service and update my payment. They had used an old credit card on file, even after I had updated my credit card information. It was supposed to be paid and shipped on the 10th. I called back to another representative and they got everything adjusted and of course they didn't tell me there were more fees in this than what I was told on Friday so again I get another fee and it's going to cost me more money than what was told on Dec. 6.

By now, I really do not trust this company or any of the representatives because of the conflicting information. So Dec. 12, I logged into the PODS system to check on the status of my PODS to see its status. It showed it was still in Louisiana, that it was supposed to have been shipped Dec. 10, and that still not shipped. I called and spoke to representative and I asked if it shipped. The representative told me it shipped Dec. 12, and I confirmed three times to ensure he did say Dec. 12, and each time he confirmed that it was shipped on Dec. 12. When I asked why it wasn't shipped Dec. 10, which is what the agreement was he changed his information that it was shipped on Dec. 10, and it was actually in transit on Dec. 12th and it would be to the Maryland location on Dec. 17, and delivered to the address on Dec. 18.

When I confronted him about his error he told me that I needed to log out of the system log and back in, which I did while I was on the phone with him, yet it still said it was sitting in Louisiana and he told me that my information was wrong and the website was wrong. I confirmed one last final time that it was in transit. I hung up and called back five minutes later and spoke to a different area because I have been using the military representatives instead of the regular customer service representatives because this was a military move.

After being on hold for about 5 minutes I finally got in touch with the representative for residential orders and she informs me that it has been shipped on Dec. 10, and it is in transit and when I asked to verify again one last final time because at this point I do not trust this company, and explain my concern over what the other representative said, and she begins making excuses for the previous representative and making excuses for him as he was saying it was 12 because of month. When I asked her why it hasn't reflected or updated online, she said the system doesn't work that way and unfortunately they can't update that it's in transit or anything on the system and she tries to confirm with me and tries to tell me that everything is okay. "Your PODS will be in Maryland on Dec. 17, and will be delivered to your home on Dec. 18."

I have no faith in this company and absolutely none in its representatives. They continually change information from representative to representative, change prices fluidly, no communication. Nothing is annotated in customers notes. I tried to bring my concerns to any of the management and magically every representative I spoke with here seems to be Tier 2 supervisor. I do not feel like any of my concerns have been addressed, because if I've had these concerns and from reviews online, social media, Better Business Bureau and Google, I feel like others should know before they have a same or worse experience. I went with PODS thinking since they have containers on military bases through AAFES, that I would be spending less than having the military ship my stuff and I could take the care of my items more than the low-bid movers the military hires.

PODS response

We're disappointed to hear you've such a frustrating experience, Jason. We've been in contact and can assure our team is looking into your concerns and will be in touch with you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

When I called 2-3 weeks ago to place the order, they seemed like a good fit. There were a few logistical concerns that were in need of follow up. I had to call them to get an answer and it was not good. They not only were not able to deliver to the location but not able to offer solutions. Do not tell me you understand and can put yourself in my shoes of you cannot or have not experienced a like situation. They are not very good to work with and to me deceiving. They will cancel a delivery if they do not feel that they can accommodate your needs. It is no skin off their backs if they leave you in a lurch and not able to rely on what they are there to do in helping you meet your moving needs.

PODS response

Thank you for your feedback, Renee. We'd like to better understand your specific situation so we can determine how to best assist. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Let us do the heavy lifting!

Take our two minute quiz to find the right moving company for you.

PODS expert review by Jessica Render

PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) is a storage and moving service that was established in 1988. Consumers choose the size of a container they need, and PODS ships it to them. Consumers then load the container, and PODS either stores it in one of their facilities or ships it where consumers need it to go.

• Container sizes: PODS containers come in three sizes: 7-foot container, with approximately 385 cubic feet; 12-foot container, with approximately 689 cubic feet; and 16-foot container, with about 924 cubic feet.

• Moving or storage options: PODS offers both moving and storage services. This is ideal for people on the move who may not have worked out a permanent residence.

• Military discount: PODS offers a discount for moving military families. The Personally Procured Move (PPM) program takes special care of military service men and women and their families to help with moves.

• How-to guide: PODS offers video tutorials and online guides for storing furniture and belongings in a PODS container for maximum efficiency and safety.

• Moving supplies: PODS also sells moving supplies like boxes, blankets, lifting straps, tie-downs and more to give consumers a one-stop location for all their moving needs.

• Best for: PODS is best people looking for moving solutions that give them more control over where their belongings are shipped and how they are prepared for transportation.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

PODS Company Information