Get a Quote

2. Movers

3.7/5 (1355 ratings)

About PODS

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps customers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. The company offers moving and storage services across 44 states, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Since it started in 1998, PODS has completed over 5 million deliveries. There are over 220,000 PODS containers in service, according to the company.

Pros

• Flexible storage rentals
  • Affordable options
  • No driving required

Cons

• No packing or loading services
  • Unavailable in some states

Bottom Line

PODS is a good option if you're budget-conscious and don't want to transport your things yourself. Some long-distance moves can get pricey, but reviews consistently praise the company's convenience.

Top PODS Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost… He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, ...

Verified

About PODS

PODS is a company that rents out containers to those who are interested in a partially do-it-yourself relocation. PODS is available in most states; it doesn't offer services in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming. In addition to moving and storage services, the company also sells a number of supplies, including:

• Packing paper
  • Stretch wrap
  • Locks
  • Moving blankets

How does PODS work?

PODS offers customizable moving and storage options using its containers, which come in three different sizes. You can choose to keep a PODS container on your property, store it at a local PODS storage center or have the container transported to a local or long-distance destination. PODS recommends getting a quote and scheduling service at least seven days in advance. You can cancel for a full refund up to 24 hours before container delivery.

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. The full dimensions of each container are in the table below. PODS delivers the container to your address for loading. You decide whether you want to keep the PODS container on-site, have it moved to a local PODS facility for storage or have PODS move it locally or long-distance. You're responsible for loading the PODS container; the company can connect you with third-party professionals for packing and loading assistance.

DimensionsMaximum weightGood for
Small container7' x 7' x 8'5,200 poundsStudio apartment
Medium container12' x 8' x 8'4,700 pounds2- to 3-room home
Large container16' x 8' x 8'4,200 pounds3- to 4-room home

How much does PODS cost?

The cost of moving with PODS containers is based on the number of containers you rent, the size of the containers, the distance of the move, the length of the rental and the time of year. You can expect a local move with PODS to cost up to $550. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $3,000. Monthly storage costs start at $149 a month. See estimated costs below.

PODS serviceEstimated cost*
Local move$350 to $550
Long-distance move$1,000 to $3,000
Monthly storage$149

*At the time of publishing

To get a PODS quote, fill out a form online to be contacted by a customer service representative. You can also call its customer service line to receive a quote over the phone. PODS offers discounts to members of the military.

PODS FAQ

Is PODS insured for moving?
Yes, PODS is insured for moving. The company offers two coverage options:
  • Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to or loss of a moving container due to fire, smoke, vandalism, falling objects, car accidents, lightning, windstorm or hail.
  • Contents insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the items inside the container. Note that it doesn’t cover damage or loss due to improper packing, burglary at your home or water damage.

Prices for coverage range from $10 per month to several hundred dollars per month, depending on the level of protection.

Are PODS climate-controlled?
No, PODS containers are not climate-controlled. They have a steel frame and aluminum panels, and they are weather-resistant.
Are PODS waterproof?
PODS containers are weather-resistant. According to PODS, they are designed to protect contents from rain and snow.
Are PODS allowed on the street?
It depends on the location. Contact your local municipality to find out if you need a permit to have a PODS container on the street.
Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
How long can you keep a PODS container?
You can keep a PODS container for as long as you need it. The company rents out containers on a monthly basis.

Is PODS good for moving?

PODS is worth a look if you’re relocating and don’t want to pay full-service moving prices. The company provides containers, moves your items from one location to another and offers storage at local facilities. It doesn’t, however, do any packing, loading, unloading or unpacking. We like that PODS is widely available in the U.S., has three different sizes of containers, has a reasonable cancellation policy and works with both homes and businesses.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I recently moved from Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY to Steubenville, Ohio and used Pods for the move. I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost. My Delivery/Pickup in Steubenville was handled by Andrew and in one word he was PROFESSIONAL. Not just the driving, which was awesome considering the cramped driveway, but by his whole attitude. I knew within minutes that Andrew knew his job and enjoyed people. He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, and did it perfectly. I will not hesitate to recommend Pods to anyone looking for a smooth experience that takes the pressure away from moving..

PODS response

Thanks for the awesome review, James! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. We have your back when you need us again!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

The driver was excellent -- very professional. He showed me the warped (bowed) door, where the POD's cargo had shifted en route, and bent the door, so that it will not open. He diligently tried the procedures he was taught, but the door is too bent. I hired a PODS Preferred Moving Company (Pack-and-Load Services) to pack this POD. I purchased the exact number of wide, heavy-duty ratchet straps that Pack-n-Load services recommended. However, the packing crew didn't use all of them. The PODS driver said that unless the tiers are adequately secured, cargo can shift. I must now schedule an access visit, to unlock the padlock on the POD, then sit and watch as PODS crews attempt to open the door, hopefully open it without harming the cargo, then install a new door, so the POD can be transported to my apartment's parking lot.

I must be able to access these items before Dec 8, because the POD contains documents I must submit to the State of Florida for my driver's license, FL title, and FL car registration. If I don't obtain these documents, I'll be in violation of the law, because I will have been in FL for 30 days. I'll also be penalized with a large fine, according to a police officer who lives in my apt. complex. Though I'm very very unhappy with the moving crew which represents a PODS Preferred Moving company, I'm very happy with your PODs driver, today.

PODS response

We're disappointed to hear your experience wasn't as seamless as we had hoped, Mary. If you'd like to chat further, please email socialmedia@podscom with your customer ID and any additional details.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good condition. The door opened smoothly. Our goods arrived in good condition without mishaps. PODS provides helpful instructions and videos for packing online.

One problem I had was that I needed a different phone number to be used at the arrival city. I didn’t see where I could add another number in my online account. I asked customer service to add the number. But, I didn’t see the added number on my up dated documents. Since I didn’t see the change, I had to change the primary account number to the receiving city phone number. I generally had good experience with PODS customer service. The wait time was a little long.

PODS response

We recognize you have many choices when it comes moving and storing your belongings, James, and we're incredibly grateful you chose PODS! It was a pleasure working together with you! Let's do it again soon!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

When planning a move, if you have a 3 bedroom house; base your estimate on a 5 bedroom house. Unless you plan to have a huge yard sale or something, it won't all fit. We moved a 3 bedroom house full of furnishings and it required an additional 21 foot U-Haul truck to carry the stuff that didn't fit in the pod.

PODS response

Hi, Timothy! Thank you for your feedback! It really depends on the size/shape of your stuff and just how much stuff you have. Some people can fit a three-bedroom house into one 16-foot container; however, others need more than one container. We recommend checking out our moving/storage calculator to get a rough estimate of just how much stuff can fit into one of our containers: https://www.pods.com/resource-center/moving-and-storage-calculator. Thanks again for choosing PODS!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I decided on an interstate move to be closer to family when my lease ended, never imagining the logistics problems involved from covid. Availability of apartments in the area I moved to was scarce because people put lives on hold, and I decided that if I arrived and my housing had fallen through I could keep my belongings in storage in my container. There was a 3 week period of uncertainty, and my items were safe and dry in the PODS container while I waited for my apartment to be ready for occupancy. My only problem was communication whenever too many people called in for the amount of people answering calls and one person didn't want to relay instructions.

PODS response

Thanks for choosing PODS! We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, Patricia. We'll elevate it to the right group to be considered and incorporated as we work hard to improve our services to better meet the needs of our customers. Thank you again!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

One cannot help but fear the worst when a company is not able to tell you where your belongings are when that is the only thing you hired them to do. We chose PODS for the purported convenience, safety, and size of the container we could get for our long distance move. On August 4, in anticipation of moving August 16th, we booked a 7 foot container for an international move, from North Carolina to British Columbia. They couldn't bring the pod to our driveway during the days we needed to load it. Fine. We rented a trailer and took everything to their warehouse.

Knowing we had to be in our new place before arranging the shipment, we made it across the country and entered Canada August 25, calling immediately to have our pod shipped to us. They couldn't schedule it to leave North Carolina until 9 days later, September 3. Their policy for international moves states that they cannot give you a date at which to expect your container to arrive, so we're told to contact them if we haven't heard in two weeks. Two weeks fly by, and, after calling customer service, calling the local warehouse, and emailing special services, I am told that it had just left Virginia, on its way to Washington state, where it would then wait again.

At this point, I have been charged another month's rent for their delays in shipping. Another two weeks goes by, and I have to reach out again to check status, at which point I am told they needed to hear from logistics a precise location of the pod. Days later, I have yet to hear a precise location, a remote estimation of when I can expect anything, and will likely have to go through all the hoops to find anyone with any information to talk to. I've been in an empty apartment for over a month, cold temperatures are setting in, and I'm considering whether I have to purchase things I already own just because of this company's incompetence.

PODS response

Hi, Tyler! We'd like to connect with you to learn more and address your concerns right away. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

I made a claim to PODS for an issue I had with my PODS experience in June 2021. It is now October 2021. My assigned claims representative does not return phone calls or emails. I have made countless phone calls to customer service and they transfer me to the claim representative's voicemail who ignores me. I have received no status update from the claim representative since I made my claim. My experience of trying to make a claim has been the worst. I am so sorry I ever used PODS. The claims process or lack thereof, totally makes the use of PODS not worth the money I spent.

PODS response

Hi, Katrina! We'd like to connect with you to learn more and address your concerns right away. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

They overcharged by almost $1k on the final bill. Gave them a call and the customer support said that they would investigate. Two months passed. They never followed up and now they don't reply to my e-mails.

PODS response

We're disappointed to see this, Caio. We'd be more than happy to check in with our team and get an update on their review of your account. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

In August, we hired PODS to deliver a pod. After several calls in which their system did not allow for scheduling at the time, we finally had delivered scheduled for last week, six weeks after pickup. Last week came and went. PODS never contacted us. We called the main number to speak to multiple agents over 4 hours. None of the agents were able to reach the PODS Storage Center handling our delivery to find out what happened. Today I find out it's because the phone number isn't valid, so no one within PODS itself can call the PODS Storage Center.

Throughout the week we called to 1) find out what happened - we were told the delivery team tried to call us and no one answered, so they thought we weren't home and 2) rescheduled - for today. It took over seven (7)! calls to reschedule. Well, today we called again because yet again, no one showed up. After an hour on hold and about 30 minutes with an agent, we find out that according to their notes on our account, the delivery team claims they called us - lies - and emailed us - more lies - to tell us that they won't deliver to us and they are now charging a storage fee. So they won't give us a refund for failing to do the job we hired them to do and they want us to pay them more money?!

I asked for a supervisor and was told their phone system doesn't allow for transferring to a supervisor. What is that? That's asinine. What poor customer service. The agent again tried to reach out to the local storage center by phone and oh look, the phone number doesn't work again. Surprise surprise. Then she gave us the address for the PODS Storage Center because the only thing we can do to get our stuff is to schedule a time to go get our stuff. This means we have to rent a UHAUL - if I wanted to rent a UHAUL, I would've done that in the first place - drive an hour away, empty the pod, drive back home, empty the uhaul, drive it back to the uhaul center. ALL OF THE THINGS I WANTED TO AVOID BY HIRING PODS TO SHIP THE POD FROM THE OLD HOUSE TO THE NEW HOUSE!!

The reason we have to do this is, supposedly, at some point this past week, a team member drove by our house and assessed that it was "too difficult to access the property". More lies. First of all, no one called, no one emailed, no one knocked on my door. If they had, I would've shown them exactly where they could park the pod. If they had called me after they came by with their decision, I would've told them about our neighbors who have had multiple pods in our development over the years. One neighbor had a pod in the community parking lot all summer. Another had a pod on one of the common lawns for a weekend.

They could, you know, just put it in front of our house, what a concept! I also have written permission from management to rope off a section of the shared parking lot adjacent to our house, since we thought that might be easier for the delivery team (I'm so thoughtful), as it allows for more maneuverability. I actually had set up a large area for the POD and the delivery truck for TWO DAYS waiting for this pod. All they had to do was call me, email me, text me, knock on the door, etc and I would've shown them the multiple options available to them to help them help us. But no one called, emailed, or showed up. So now we have to go get our POD, which they won't let us do for another two weeks or so, AND they're charging us a fee while the POD is in their storage center.

Here's what I think actually happened: Either PODS Storage Center Romulus lost our pod and is trying to cover this up, or their driver doesn't feel like driving on Saturdays. Either way, they canceled on us twice and came up with some false story about our "difficult to access" street that full-size delivery trucks drive down daily with no problems.

Complaining on the phone gets you nowhere because all they can do is call the Romulus center with their phone number that doesn't work. Complaining on social media gets you nowhere because they set up a chatbot to handle communications. It's not a real person. Do I have to email President & CEO Kathryn V. Marinello in order to get my POD after this company has had it for nearly two months? So if you're reading this and considering using PODS for your move - DON'T. Use someone else.

PODS response

Tiffanny, we strive to do better than this. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we can learn more about your experience and best assist.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

In a $5000 PODS move from Florida to California, for 3 weeks, no chat or telephone agent could tell me where my container was. They were all waiting for the Logistics Team to respond. When I wrote to Customer Relations, they offered no help. Find another way to move your belongings.

PODS response

We'd like to connect with you to learn more and address your concerns right away, Marcia. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

PODS Company Information