1.2/5 (126 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About PODS

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps customers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. The company offers moving and storage services across 44 states, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Since it started in 1998, PODS has completed over 5 million deliveries. There are over 220,000 PODS containers in service, according to the company.

Find Moving Companies near you

Pros

• Flexible storage rentals
    • Affordable options
    • No driving required

Cons

• No packing or loading services
    • Unavailable in some states

Bottom Line

PODS is a good option if you're budget-conscious and don't want to transport your things yourself. Some long-distance moves can get pricey, but reviews consistently praise the company's convenience.

Top PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Verified

... I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost… He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, ...

Verified

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good con...

About PODS

PODS is a company that rents out containers to those who are interested in a partially do-it-yourself relocation. PODS is available in most states; it doesn't offer services in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming. In addition to moving and storage services, the company also sells a number of supplies, including:

• Packing paper
    • Stretch wrap
    • Locks
    • Moving blankets

How does PODS work?

PODS offers customizable moving and storage options using its containers, which come in three different sizes. You can choose to keep a PODS container on your property, store it at a local PODS storage center or have the container transported to a local or long-distance destination. PODS recommends getting a quote and scheduling service at least seven days in advance. You can cancel for a full refund up to 24 hours before container delivery.

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. The full dimensions of each container are in the table below. PODS delivers the container to your address for loading. You decide whether you want to keep the PODS container on-site, have it moved to a local PODS facility for storage or have PODS move it locally or long-distance. You're responsible for loading the PODS container; the company can connect you with third-party professionals for packing and loading assistance.

DimensionsMaximum weightGood for
    Small container7' x 7' x 8'5,200 poundsStudio apartment
    Medium container12' x 8' x 8'4,700 pounds2- to 3-room home
    Large container16' x 8' x 8'4,200 pounds3- to 4-room home

How much does PODS cost?

The cost of moving with PODS containers is based on the number of containers you rent, the size of the containers, the distance of the move, the length of the rental and the time of year. You can expect a local move with PODS to cost up to $550. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $3,000. Monthly storage costs start at $149 a month. See estimated costs below.

PODS serviceEstimated cost*
    Local move$350 to $550
    Long-distance move$1,000 to $3,000
    Monthly storage$149

*At the time of publishing

To get a PODS quote, fill out a form online to be contacted by a customer service representative. You can also call its customer service line to receive a quote over the phone. PODS offers discounts to members of the military.

PODS FAQ

Is PODS insured for moving?

Yes, PODS is insured for moving. The company offers two coverage options:

• Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to or loss of a moving container due to fire, smoke, vandalism, falling objects, car accidents, lightning, windstorm or hail.
    • Contents insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the items inside the container. Note that it doesn’t cover damage or loss due to improper packing, burglary at your home or water damage.

Prices for coverage range from $10 per month to several hundred dollars per month, depending on the level of protection.

Are PODS climate-controlled?

No, PODS containers are not climate-controlled. They have a steel frame and aluminum panels, and they are weather-resistant.

Are PODS waterproof?

PODS containers are weather-resistant. According to PODS, they are designed to protect contents from rain and snow.

Are PODS allowed on the street?

It depends on the location. Contact your local municipality to find out if you need a permit to have a PODS container on the street.

Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?

Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.

How long can you keep a PODS container?

You can keep a PODS container for as long as you need it. The company rents out containers on a monthly basis.

Is PODS good for moving?

PODS is worth a look if you’re relocating and don’t want to pay full-service moving prices. The company provides containers, moves your items from one location to another and offers storage at local facilities. It doesn’t, however, do any packing, loading, unloading or unpacking. We like that PODS is widely available in the U.S., has three different sizes of containers, has a reasonable cancellation policy and works with both homes and businesses.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 30, 2023

PODS rescheduled our pick up without notifying us prior due to “ice,” even though I drove on surface streets and highways and they were completely passable. They emailed us after our pick up window to tell us they were rescheduling. The earliest they could reschedule us gets us our PODS two weeks after their original delivery date. Customer service was awful and said (originally) that they rescheduled the pod pickup because my husband sent them an email request. When I said that wasn’t true, the agent admitted that it was PODS’ decision to cancel the pickup. She was dishonest again and said she could reschedule the pick up for the next day. When I spoke with her supervisor, the supervisor admitted that the first available pick up day was 4 days after the original pick up day—and we would still get our things more than two weeks after our original drop off date.

I asked for a refund and they said the customer service team would reach back out in 7-10 business days (after we would have to be out money for a hotel for the delayed pod arrival). They also said they would upload documentation of the conversation on my online account which they never did. This company is super shady and still comparably priced with other movers. If you can go with another company, I highly recommend it. It will save you many, many headaches and thousands of dollars.

PODS response

Hi, Susannah! We have been in contact with you regarding these concerns. As we shared, our team is looking into your concerns further and will reach out to discuss. Thank you for your continued patience.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

It is going for 3 months now. I have spoken to at least 10 agents or personnel telling my story over and over but I just kept promised my issue will be looked at. Last person I talk to is a customer advocacy specialist that our conversation started Dec. 6 for my pod order of Oct 28, 2022. I was overcharged from what my invoice is. I provided all the documentation I have including all information of charges from my credit card for them to compare. Last I heard from them was Dec. 29, 2022 saying it is being looked at. I keep on asking for status via email and leaving several voicemail but got no response as of this writing (01/19/2023).

PODS response

We appreciate you reaching out, Prince, and we're disappointed to read you've had this type of experience. We want to be able to have this looked into further so we can clear up any confusion and best assist moving forward. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Jan. 19, 2023

I was finally able to get through after forcing a customer service agent to put her manager on the line. That manager was helpful and finally was able to get the case owner to update the case and it is now resolved. I updated to 2 stars because this was resolved but the enormous amount of red tape to getting resolution is not good customer service.

Pods should be empowering their employees with a level of fiduciary responsibility. The issue appeared to be that a 1 month fee was too much for them to approve a refund on. Well I would say the level of permission to refund needs to increase if the intent to charge that amount is present. Either lower costs or Raise the permitted level for your employees.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I had 3 pods delivered for a move. After loading them they were stored at a facility and I called pods multiple times to confirm all the proper steps to getting them picked up as to only be charged for 1 month of storage. After $1500 of spend I was very irritated to find that I was charged another $560 for an entire second month of storage. I followed all their steps. They provided me with an incident and I was told over an entire month and multiple calls that they were going to resolve.

I had a case manager and everything and he stopped responding. Each time I called the service number they said they would leave him a message. I would still not get a response and then if I pushed for a manager they would always tell me (3 times) that he would get back within 24 hours and that was the best they could do. He finally returned my email and said he needed 3-5 business days for a resolution. We are on day 8 and still nothing. I called and am right back at the beginning. This is an erroneous charge and is now over 45 days past due for resolution. I am extremely dissatisfied with their service, their hard to navigate departments and their ability to resolve problems within. I would have been better off renting a Uhaul and keeping the truck for 30 days. This supposed low cost solution is a nightmare and I would recommend everyone stay away!

PODS response

We appreciate you reaching out, Matthew, and we're disappointed to read you've had this type of experience. We want to be able to have this looked into further so we can clear up any confusion and best assist moving forward. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

I was quoted $3500 for a move from Cali to Colorado. They just moved my container from a facility to another facility and not to the address I was quoted for. Now they are charging hundreds of dollars more to deliver it to my address. Budget van lines would have done it all to my address for $2000.

PODS response

Hi, Jelani! We strive to be transparent with our pricing by outlining all charges in your order confirmation. To view that document, please visit MyPODS.com and log in to your account. If you'd like us to help walk you through your order confirmation, please give us a call at (888) 314-5136.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2023

It's been 16 days and still our POD has NOT been delivered, yet, payment in full was received BEFORE scheduling our delivery. Every day we call and are given a different story of why or where our POD is. We are in TX. We were told it was in San Antonio and this is where the original delivery would originate from (2.5 hours from our new home). When that delivery day came and went with no delivery of our POD, we called were told they were "trying to locate our POD." A few days later, we were informed it was located - in Pittsburgh, PA! Finally, we were told it would be delivered last night. This morning, NOTHING.

We called, again and were told they could not "find our street." There was no phone call from the driver. We were then asked by PODS customer service to send us a "Pin Drop" in an email to them. A simple Google search of our address would have given both their driver and customer service the exact location. We then sent the email, called PODS Customer Service and told "it takes about an hour for emails to come through" so they STILL could not confirm if there would be a delivery. We were also told we would get a credit, but that has also been MIA... Maybe it's with our POD.

PODS response

Hi, Peggy. We have been in contact with you regarding these concerns. As we shared, our team is looking into your concerns further and will reach out to discuss. Thank you for your continued patience.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

I have moved across the country multiple times and PODS is by far the worst provider. Unprofessional, unreliable, and terrible customer service. They tried to cancel on us the day of our cross country move with no apology (the hour before they were scheduled to arrive and we'd already paid). They made multiple scheduling errors. Their customer service representative used the word "retarded" in a joking manner to describe the demeanor of how he was talking. We received expensive citations from the city when we were assured that they would handle all permits. Their drivers are rude, rough, and treat you awful. Our driver had a delayed drop off and told us we had 30 days (from that day) to schedule a pickup. 2 weeks later we were charged an additional month of container rental and customer service said the driver was wrong and offered no solution and left me (the customer) with the short end of the stick. So awful!

Don't even bother trying to file a complaint or claim, they make you jump through hoops to file the report and then auto-respond with a generic script via email that doesn't address any of your unique complaints and states they're not responsible. Harry ** is particularly terrible, he completely ignored my concerns and would not address the use of their team's offensive language (even after sharing that my brother has down syndrome). RUN! DO NOT USE PODS!

PODS response

We can understand how you're feeling and would like to research this further, Ashley. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2022

From the beginning it was a complete mess. I called and spoke to a representative, described my items how much I had, he booked too small of a pod. The day before my move, the pod got delivered, and I knew there was no way my items would fit, I called to get a bigger pod delivered right away, the one I thought was booked, not the one the representative booked wrong. They came and switched out the pods, brought the correct size. I called twice and spoke to the person who brought the new one to confirm everything was updated in their system, was told by 3 different people yes, not to worry. I was then charged for the small pod, including all shipping costs and fees as well as the large one, all shipping costs and fees. I was charged close to $6000 for something that should have been a fraction of that. I called and created a complaint, and never heard anything. I’ve called dozens of times, nothing.

The original delivery date I got was Oct 11th, the day before I received a call saying my pod was still sitting in California, due to a technical error, it never left California. So it would be another 2 weeks before it got to my new home. I was 7.5 months pregnant at the time. They told me to keep my receipts, due to all the costs incurred by their errors, and I would hear from someone. I told them I couldn’t sleep on the floor at almost 8 months pregnant, and I needed to prepare the baby’s room, and I’m a single mom, so was doing all of this alone. They created another file. I got an initial email from a James **, I have emailed and called him countless times with no response. Then they had the audacity of charging me a $169 rescheduled delivery fee for the delivery that THEY rescheduled due to their “technical error”.

I called and spoke to a representative. They promised that that would be refunded due to it being their system that caused the reschedule, it was not requested from my end. Again, that never happened. I received another invoice from one of their representatives saying I should have been refunded $359, she had it recorded on her end, my credit card company never received it. Honestly they are shady crooks that have open access to your credit cards and will just keep charging you. Please stay away. It caused me so much stress, that I so so regret ever using them. I wish I just hired a truck and some movers. Never again, and this is a fair warning to whoever reads this.

PODS response

We appreciate you reaching out, Sarah, and we're disappointed to read you've had this type of experience. We want to be able to have this looked into further so we can clear up any confusion and best assist moving forward. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2022

I have been trying to reach the Service Solution Specialist assigned to my dispute by phone and email for the last ten days. To date, no response. Below is a brief synopsis of my dispute. The below events can be in cooperation with the PODS phone system call log, recorded phone calls, and notes made on my account. On October 26, 2022, I called to make a reservation and was quoted $1079 to move forward with an 8-foot small container from zip codes 20853 to 77471. Upon hearing the quoted amount, I proceeded with the quote and made plans with the representative on dates of when I would like to receive the container and when the container should be picked up, and she told me when it would arrive at 77471, etc. The following is the breakdown I received:

$1,079 total

$230 drop-off charge

$696 move charge

$153 pick-up charge (includes the additional lock purchase)

The representative said I would receive a follow-up email about pricing, confirmation, and our agreement. I trusted her; she is the PODS representative, after all. I thought I had a successful call, but from what I know now, it was not. When the drop-off (container) date was approaching, I noticed that I had not received anything from PODS, so I called to confirm the information. They confirmed. Following my first follow-up, I called several times to inquire about the agreement because I had not received anything from PODS. I began to worry as anyone would. Then after the four representatives and the fourth time confirming the information, she asked me to verify my email address, which turned out to be incorrect. I provided her with the correct spelling of it. However, this was AFTER the container was picked up.

So, at this point, I still needed to sign a written agreement and receive a confirmation on pricing. I saw a charge on my debit card on November 24, 2022, for $514.84. Following that charge, I received an email from svcPowerFlowDec stating that my debit card was declined for $2595.32 on several occasions from 12/09/22 - 12/15/22. I understand that I owe $564.16, NOT $2595.32. Why is PODS trying to charge $2595.32? I'm disappointed with how everything has been going with PODS. I reached out to PODS for an easy-moving solution; instead, it has been a nightmare. I want to pay the balance due ($564.16), but I can't until my dispute is resolved.

PODS response

Hi, Brenda! Thank you for reaching back out to us! We've sent our team a message asking for an update and asked that they contact you as soon as possible to discuss. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2022

IN brief, stored my personal belongings with POD's. Asked for delivery in Vancouver Washington, arrived timely, on opening the container the stench of Mold was unbearable. The container was soaked in water, wardrobe boxes were collapsing the bottom 8 inches, closed plastic totes with new shoes in boxes, boxes were disintegrated, new shoes in the shoe bags were stuck together and going to three different shoe cobblers are unrepairable, leather jackets, coats, clothes were covered in stinky mold.. PLease, find someone else to move your belongings, so far this week I have spent $800 on cleaning, shoes I have saved to purchase and wear are now garbage, happy to supply pictures and video

PODS response

Hi, Michael! We’re disappointed to see this. We encourage you to send us an email at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we may best assist.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

My neighbor use PODS to move, however, their truck ran over my lawn, leaving a long double groove and I filed a claim, only got one email back asking for damage estimate, picture and additional info. I have provided all they are asking for and had followed up with emails, and calls several times to no avail. Over a month pass by, still no response. If you are using PODS, something happened and to make a claim, forget it.... If

PODS response

Hi, Emily! Thanks for reaching out via email. The team will follow up with you shortly.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

PODS Company Information

1998
        13535 Feather Sound Drive
        Clearwater
        FL
        www.pods.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: