4.35/5

Discover the right moving company for you

PODS

PODS is a moving and storage company that provides customers an innovation solution. PODS delivers a level container and allows unlimited time for individuals to load and unload their belongings knowing that they will not be damaged.

PODS is a great solution for personal belongings or business equipment. We promise to provide convenient, flexible, security, and control for your storage or move. Call us today for a free quote!

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2510 PODS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I used PODS for a cross country move (NY to WA) after doing a thorough review of my options. I chose them because they had the best overall review at the time and I thought would be the cheapest option. I wish I would have opted for traditional movers even if it cost a bit more. First, I had to get a permit for the POD to be placed on my street, which was fine but cost me about a $100 a day in NY. That wasn't an issue until the POD driver didn't show up when he was supposed to and I lost a full day. I was told I might have to reschedule but refused to have to pay for another days permit. I also have yet to receive my POD nearly a month after I've moved (despite the dates I was originally told). For over two weeks the status of the POD just said "in transit" and no one could tell me where it was or when it would be arriving.

When it did arrive at the distribution center, I received notice Thursday night that it would be there at 8:30 am Saturday morning and that I needed a permit. I was also told that because of how far away my building is from the distribution center, that they only deliver three days a week and that my POD would be in the street for 4 days because they wouldn't be picking it up until the following Tuesday. Fortunately I managed to get to city hall the next day to get the 4 day permit and was also able to secure moving help for the next day to help move some of the heavier furniture out of the POD.

Saturday rolls around and no one shows up. When I call customer service I am told that they are still coming but there is a delay and that they will call when they are 30 min out. This happens a few more times. Around 4:00 pm the national distribution center in Florida calls me to tell me that there is a delay overall and they won't be coming and they need to reschedule.

She tells me all service windows are optional and the next available date for delivery is about 10 days later and that I will need to get a new permit. When I explain that this isn't okay I get put on hold several more times before she tells me that she has been told that they can't deliver to my location at all because the director at the distribution center has decided (without visiting my location or speaking to the city who reviewed the specifications and granted my permit) that they can't park the POD there. She suggests that I drive to the distribution center (over an hour away) to get the important items.

At this point I was furious so I called the customer service line (not the same as the people at the national distribution center) and was told that the drivers are still required to meet you on site in person to see the permit and inspect the site before saying the pod can't be placed there. I told her that my building was new and that the city told me the loading zone spot I have to use isn't on older maps but is there (they confirmed it and the parking space number). Had anyone just called me or come out to the site in person I would have been able to verify this. Instead, I was told the distribution center unilaterally decided the POD couldn't be placed and without even contacting me just didn't show up.

Customer service has been trying to work with me to get an earlier date for delivery (before the 10 days) but this was the only weekend date and I don't have time off during work to be there to show them the permit (which is complicating things). I also have had to pay cancelation fees on the movers and have to pay time and half for getting moving help after 5:00 pm (weekend rates are cheaper). PODS is going to cover the cost of a new permit but I still don't know how I am going to get there during work to pick it up.

I honestly have had to spend more money than expected because I don't have any of my belongings (I travelled with enough for a couple weeks, not more than a month) and at the end of the day really think it would have been a lot cheaper to go with someone else. I know this is a long post but I hope it is helpful to someone else. I haven't even had the chance to see what condition my items in the POD are in and at this point I don't even want to think about it...

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I usually don’t write reviews, but after working in a customer service environment I feel that this experience needs to be heard. Me and my husband have been dealing with pods for 2 years now and when we first started everything was okay then we finally moved and decided to get our shipping container sent to us. At first I was quoted a fairly good price by one rep and when I called in that weekend the price jumped about 300 and some odd dollars. They put in an incident report assigning us to a case manager that never replies or calls us back after leaving a voicemail to see if the price can go back to what we were quoted the first time. I had numerous reps telling us that it doesn’t take long at all, but still haven’t heard anything.

I then finally coughed up the money to just pay it so we can get our furniture and they reimburse us later and they apparently did not disclose information to us on the call so the day my container is suppose to ship it now can’t because a rental agreement was not done which we had no idea about. I had to call back in and reschedule another date which is a week after I wanted the container. Now I am waiting for a manager to call us and apparently that takes days too. This experience had been horrible and I will NEVER put my stuff in another one of their containers. Lesson Learned!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My sister rented a PODS container to be delivered to her home to do some remodeling. She had a stroke and could not speak. So I called the PODS customer service who was very nice but when it came to the Little Rock location, they were not compassionate at all. I needed them to pick up the PODS which was in my sister's driveway. She is being brought home from rehabilitation via ambulance and needs the PODS container removed from her driveway in order for the ambulance to bring her home. She had missed her October 2018 payment because of the stroke and was not able to have her funds transferred in a timely manner. I asked could they pick up the PODS container and I would work out a plan to pay them within the next two weeks for the delinquent payment but the Little Rock owner said no.

They will not pick it up unless the October 2018 is paid in full and the pick up fee. I don't have power of attorney over her finances yet but is willing to pay for this out of my pocket. I have managed to pay her mortgage this month and had to fly from out of state to come to Arkansas to take care of her and her finances. If she had died would they have left the PODS unit in her driveway to continue to charge her monthly and a pick fee? We are not trying to avoid paying, we just can't pay it by Friday, November 9, 2018. If this is not paid and/or picked up by Friday, November 9, 2018, she will be charged for another month on November 10, 2018. People don't plan on having strokes or heart attacks or death. It just happens and this is one of those cases that it just happened. There were no warning signs.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

It would be difficult to overstate how poor my experience with Pods was, both from delivery of the storage unit to the follow up after I documented the damage my belongings suffered as a result of the leaking unit they rented me. First, despite a detailed conversation with their representative in Florida who took the time to review satellite images of the proposed location of the POD, the driver on delivery told me the location would not work. He went on to say that the people in sales are not informed about conditions on the ground. This turned out to be correct. Fortunately, after the driver was on the verge of leaving without depositing the unit (an experience he said was not uncommon), we found an alternate site. All good.

The unit remained in place for a period of 7 months while my home underwent a renovation. On pick up, I informed the driver that many of the items I stored in the unit were wet and covered with mold. He looked inside and outside the POD and pointed out all of the places where leaking had occurred; he said they would need to be repaired and told me that I should contact customer service. I did as he suggested and sent along photos documenting the damage to my property. More than 2 months later, I received an email declining my claim and taking no responsibility for the damaged unit they rented me. Do not use PODS if you care about your personal property while it is in the care. I feel sorry for whatever customer ended up being stuck with the same leaky, old storage unit that was rented to me. PODS is no more than a slum landlord and I will make sure that everyone I know never makes the mistake of using them.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My husband works in customer service (CS), so I don't like to write bad CS reviews. Unfortunately our experience with PODS this last month has me vowing never to use them ever again, and to spread the word about how our experience demonstrates how the company simply doesn't care about their customer experience! The pick up and storage legs of the POD experience were relatively smooth. The first misinformation we got from PODS happened we called to scheduled the drop off, and they told us that for an extra $100 we could schedule a guaranteed drop off in the morning. But when my husband called back to reserve the morning drop off, he was told by a different CS person that it was no longer possible to do.

We were very concerned about the delivery of the POD, because our new inner city neighborhood had a high crime rating on Trulia and folks I'd talked to said they'd heard of people's belongings being stolen out of moving trucks and PODS there in the past. So it was absolutely non-negotiable that we move our stuff out the same day that the POD was delivered. The day before our move, we were given a delivery window for the POD, from 11-2pm. We asked (pleaded!) with the person on the phone to make a request for a delivery as early as possible so we could move everything out before dark. I left my work early, and arrived by 1:45 that day to help with the move, and to my dismay, my husband and I spent the next THREE HOURS on the phone with three or four different POD CS employees trying to figure out where our container was and trying to get someone to help us.

That three hour window was really what ruined the experience for us. One CS person told us that we would receive a full refund for our delivery costs (about $140) due to our poor experience, and they sent it over for approval. But the next person we talked to, the manager of PODS in our city, said he wouldn't approve the refund because he "didn't have the authority" to do so. When we called the main CS line back, they said he did have the authority and passed us back to him. The manager was incredibly rude to my husband on the phone, and we finally gave up and called CS and were told then to file a complaint through their system. In the meantime, it was 5pm and our POD still hadn't showed up, I had given up three hours of billable work time, and we'd pushed back our movers' arrival time a half dozen times.

Finally, our POD showed up, over 3 hours outside the window, and I watched in HORROR as the POD driver used the machine to hammer the container from the side into place on the street. Every time it clanged against the side of the container I heard the sound of things crashing inside against the walls! I took a video of this as proof of how awful it was. Finally the driver left, after giving us his POD business card guaranteeing "complete satisfaction" and we began scrambling to get everything inside moved before dark. Thankfully, because we had friends who are professional packers help us pack the POD, nothing was broken, but if we had just packed it ourselves I'm sure things would have been destroyed given how the driver banged against the container.

The next morning, there was graffiti all over the POD and someone had tampered with our lock (so we were relieved we'd made the decision we did about moving everything out same day). A MONTH later, we heard back from PODS CS saying they don't guarantee delivery of a POD during the drop off window and they tell customers not to schedule movers for the same day as delivery - so they would not be refunding us and weren't going to be able to do anything for us.

We asked about the business card we'd received, and the CS person told us she didn't know of any drivers handing out business cards and PODS wasn't responsible for the guarantee that was written on the card! We just couldn't believe how rude she was to us, and how unhelpful she was in helping us to resolve our problem. Even my husband (as someone who works in CS and gets a lot of complaints) said it was the absolute worst customer service experience he has ever had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

We scheduled delivery of three 16 foot PODS to our family home after damage following Hurricane Michael. The delivery of the first 2 PODS was earlier than expected which was wonderful considering our circumstances. Our experience with the delivery was exceptional. Rory was the BEST!!! He was polite, kind, and courteous. He dropped off one POD then went to pick up another one and returned as he promised with the other one. During difficult times not everyone can be counted on to do what they say they will do. Thanks to the PODS team but especially to Rory who went out of his way to help us.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Got “locked out of POD” and they don’t care. "Oh we will send someone out tomorrow." Wasting the whole day because of their 3 hr windows so my poor movers are on standby. Every time I call and speak to a representative they know nothing, they’re prompted to feed you the same nonsense responses that tell you nothing. They have no idea where their drivers are or where on route they are. They all tell you different responses when you call too. One told me no later than 215 pm someone would be here. Now they said 345 pm. When I asked what happens when a door can’t be opened, they said they don’t know. They only work in call center. How’s helpful is that. They hire a bunch of morons to answer calls that know nothing about what their company actually does. They could care less if your belongings arrive on time or in one piece. I hate PODS and I’ll never move with them again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

They were very nice and helpful when I order my 5 PODS, however, when it came time to redeliver back the pods, the pricing doubled. What they promised is not what they charged, there is all kinds of extra charges. There is absolutely no customer service, there is no one you can speak with that will look into the matter and take responsibility. Please do not, DO NOT use PODS, you will end up paying double what they quoted and feel totally cheated like myself!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

PODS told me they were going to deliver the POD to Wilmington DE and it would be delivered within a couple days of when I call to have it delivered. They did not deliver it to Wilmington DE. Instead they kept it in the South and it took 11 days and many phone calls to get it delivered to where it needed to be. I would not use this company again. Also the customer service was terrible.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Ordering the pod was easy and receiving empty pod was simple. When it came time to have the pod transported and delivered is where the problems started. I had set a time and date to be transported on a Friday and redelivered to my new address on Wednesday. Wednesday comes and husband takes the day off to receive the pod but no phone call to say when pod will come. I call the company. First rep says oh yes it should be there at 7:45 am. It was 7 am already. I said okay great. 8:45 still no pod, okay I call back. The lady then tells me oh hold on one moment, I knew something was wrong.

She then comes back to tell me my pod had in-fact not been transported yet It is still in another state! I said okay. Well how come I did not receive a call when my things did not ship? She had no answer, I said where is my stuff and when am I getting it? She says, "Oh it's being transported today so you won't receive it until 10/20." It was 10/17, I am sitting in an empty house with two kids and none of our belongings, they tell me they will create a incident report and someone will contact me. I don't believe it. I know things happen but the lack of communication is awful. Why was I not notified that my things had not left another state? They had from Friday to Wednesday to call me but they did not, I am extremely dissatisfied and I will never use them again or recommend them. I hope my things actually show up.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We decided to use Pods to move all of our furniture, Paintings, TVs, family history/diary/ nonreplaceable photos and so so much more. We ordered one (7) foot Pod and two (16) foot Pods which was dropped off one at a time on different days which went perfect. We are moving from (California Upland to Kerrville Texas). Long story short everything was going great till today when we called to pay for the monthly pay for 3 Pods and to give date and new address in (Kerrville Texas) for the Pods to be delivered to the new address. Well, they told us after billing us for 3 Pods being one 7 foot and two 16 foot Pods that they only have two pods on record and a third does not exist that we have to give them the container # because they don't keep file numbers on record of containers. I explained that we have thousands of dollars and our whole life is in the so-called lost 16 foot Pod container.

We then was told that they will see what they can do and they will call back within the day... no call back ever happened and it made us feel like we have been robbed. So now we are forced to call the local police department to file a theft report on Pods and most likely legal actions. I am now left with my girlfriend crying and stressed with all of our furniture and her family history and childhood photos gone and still have to pay them monthly for three Pods till this issue is resolved.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Their website states, “All the time you want... No deadlines. Moving and storage the way you need it done... Flexibility.” None of this is true. Their so called “scheduling” is to their benefit, not the customers. I requested a late pickup, around 5.30 pm, two weeks prior to our move. The night before, I received an email stating they would pick up between noon and 3 pm. I called that morning to see if they could come later... And while I was holding, a voice message stated that they were coming between 9.15 and noon! This was totally unacceptable. They changed the time on me without any phone call or email. I was shocked, extremely upset, stressed and angry.

We never had a chance to pack up the rest of our household goods because the POD driver came at 10.30. With all the stress of moving, I had to quickly find a storage unit and find a U-Haul to move the rest of our stuff. We are moving to another state, so this is huge and now we have to move twice. This has caused more stress, more money and more time because they care more about their scheduling than their customers. DO NOT USE. Read the rest of the reviews. All bad. I will never use them again and I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have moved 19 times in my life and this was BY FAR the worst experience ever. The door to the pod would not open once it arrived at our new home and the solution they came up with was to tilt the POD on a 45 degree angle and shake the pod on the lift. Subsequently every single piece of furniture and pieces of art that we own is either scratched, dented or fully destroyed. Their response is to file a claim with their insurance which has turned out to be completely NON-RESPONSIVE. Save yourself the heartache and DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My items were severely damaged in shipment (and I am a 20-year collector) and the insurance is bogus. They accepted zero responsibility. Just skip dealing with this service - which is too bad - it could have been something special.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Needed to be out of my apartment on a Sunday so I ordered the Pod for Thursday. My Window of delivery was 12-3 pm. I had three movers there and we waited and waited. Finally called at 3:30 - told me they would send an email and call back in an hour. Called back at 4:30 and he said our driver ran out of hours so the delivery would be rescheduled. Was anyone going to contact me if I hadn’t reached out to know about this?

Then they reschedule me for Saturday- I asked if I could be the first pod out that morning because I needed to be out of my apartment by Sunday at 11 am. There was no time to reschedule if the driver were to run out of hours again. I received the delivery estimate for 4- 7 pm. I called and could get no help or condolences in getting it there any sooner. Driver arrives at 5 pm and says the alley is too narrow and refused to drop the pod. He told me my only option was to get a permit from the city and “good luck because it’s a Saturday.” He left with the pod never delivered. Had to send movers home once again.

The communication from this company is so unprofessional. They made a mistake and refuse to take action or correct the situation. There should be more communication from the drivers and suggestions for the city permit vs. an alley drop off as there was no time for me to get a permit after their own rescheduling.

They should also have specific workers or managers per case. That way you don’t have to describe your situation or problem every single time you call the 800 extension. I would not recommend PODS. The only reason for two stars is because I did get my full refund. Moving is stressful enough - go with U-Pack or U-Haul.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I wanted to reschedule, but couldn't do that online. I called customer service and had to wait, because "we're experiencing high call volumes, your call is very important to us..." Forgot about it. I wanted to cancel the service, but could not online. So I had to wait on the phone, etc.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I was having my basement cleared for fumigation and needed storage space for salvaged items. The contractor ordered a Pod to be dropped off in my driveway. The contractor wasn't present when the Pod arrived and the driver backed the pod into the branches of a tree, tearing off several large limbs that ended up laying on top of the Pod still partially attached to the tree. I notified Pods, sent pictures and included a quote from a local tree service for $225 for proper removal of limbs and subsequent removal of debris off site. Pods denied the claim as their "inspector" saw no evidence of negligence on the part of the driver and referred me to the small print in the rental contract.

I am not happy to say the least to be stuck with the clean up bill so if you must use Pods for whatever reason, I strongly recommend you have someone on site to supervise the drop as their drivers appear to lack the initiative or common sense to question if the site is suitable or not or even better, return to the site when someone is present in order to give guidance. I will not be using Pods ever again either personally or through a third party. It has cost me an extra $225 for using the service. It could cost you a lot more.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Ordered a POD for our move from TN to ME. The drop off of the POD was fine but fell apart when we moved to Maine. They only have one location in the state and they do not service the whole state, and in my case they don't service my area. So now I have to rent a U-Haul and move the contents from the POD to it then unload it again at our new home. Not just that but you have to call and schedule a time so they can make your POD available...

Well, I called and the soonest they have is 5 days out. Let me repeat, they are unable to make my POD available to unload at their facility for 5 whole days and they won't let you do pick ups on Sundays. Now I'm getting charged for another full month of storage because that will exceed the window by a 3 days. What a coincidence... Customer service has been callous to my situation. I don't think managers exist with this company. If there is management, they are giving strict orders for no calls to ever hit them. Wish I never used them. Wish I didn't have to unload and load my belongings twice.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

For every person considering renting a pod please read this. My name is David ** and I live in Texas. I am a contractor and have been for many years. About three years ago I was contracted to remodel a home in Wylie Texas after a huge hailstorm. I was working directly with State Farm and the homeowner. So we Decided to rent a pod from PODS and everything seemed fine. Well the homeowner moved their furniture and several other items inside the pod, locked it and that was that. Fast forward three months later I finished the job. Complete remodel on home and the homeowner opens the Pod and come to find out that the Pod had been leaking for three months and everything inside was ruined.

The homeowner had insurance and they thought that everything would be covered. Not the case. PODS refused to compensate the homeowners. The battle went on for months and the homeowners finally gave up and settled for 700 dollars after they had lost 20,000.00 furniture and clothing etc... So moral of the story PODS is a no good company. So fast forward another three years and I should have known better, but here I go calling PODS for a container. So I order it and the pod is brought out to my location. I come outside and tell the driver that he needs to be careful and not destroy my newly poured 15,000.00 dollar driveway. After this he drives off the driveway twice and I'm like, "Sir please don't crack my driveway." And he responds, "I'm not liable for it."

Unbelievable. So I stop him because I realize the pod is backwards and tell him to go to the church parking lot down the street and flip it. He say ok and never returns. I waited outside for 45 minutes waiting until I called PODS to find out where the driver went. PODS tells me the driver said I was harassing him so he left and they left me high and dry. So now I know I will never use this company again and you should not either. There are several other companies who provide the same container but with much better customer service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I called to have my POD delivered before I was charged for another month. I was told that they did not have delivery dates available for a week but that my account would not be charged since it was become they did not have availability. I was then charged for another month anyway. I made multiple phone calls and sent multiple emails in order to get my money refunded. I have been told twice now that it would be refunded in five business days. That was two weeks ago and I still haven’t seen it.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I am happy to say that my issues with the Pods company has been resolved. After contacting the proper people the company came up with a resolution to my stressful move. I do want to thank Consumer Affairs for helping me springboard this resolution with the Pods company.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

RIP OFF! Do not use this company. I gave the rep the items I needed to move. I was told the storage bin would handle 3 to 4 rooms. They Lied. I had a professional service tell me that the only items the pod would handle was my bedroom set. I called to return the pod 2 days later. I paid over 2,700.00. The pod company only returned 1,550.00. They charged me for delivery, monthly storage, and misc fees. They stole over 1,200.00 of my money for a service I couldn’t use!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We moved from GA to NJ and took 2 PODS containers. The experience in GA was good but in NJ it is very terrible. The first container was delivered but the door didn't open. I was told someone will come and help after 10 days and the system automatically moved the delivery date after 15 days. After doing various things, we were able to open the door after 3 days. There was not enough space for the second container in the driveway and it was delivered and had to returned (PODS charged me for this). Now one container is going to sit in the driveway idle and it will be there for more than 1 week. Called PODS customer service multiple times and I get the same answer. We reached out to the local storage unit and they didn't respond. Find a different container service other than PODS. Their billing is also very unpredictable. All of a sudden you see charges on your card without any prior notice.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I used PODS to move from California to Wisconsin. I spent over $4000 in delivery fees, transportation fees and storage fees. I chose PODs with the hope that their customer service would be superior to other companies. However, after my POD was delivered at my final address I was given one more additional fee - a repositioning fee. I called customer service to request more information, and they said that this was charged when the driver had to return and move the POD, which had not happened. I opened an incident and after two weeks of radio silence, I was told that the fee was accurate and there was nothing they could do about it. After spending thousands of dollars on this service, they could not resist adding just one more charge for a service I had not requested or received. Save your money and go with a different company with a little more ethical backbone.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I would have given 4 Stars until the final delivery happened. During the time of renting and storing at the Longwood Facility was great, each time we needed access, the facility did a great job of bringing it out and staging it; no damage to any of my items. BUT WAIT FOR IT... now it's time to finalize your rental and have it delivered; delivery to your residence is set Thursday delivery window 3:15-5:15... BOOM, at 4:00 the Manager calls and says they can't make it, so I already took half day off from work Thursday "lost time". So he says, "We can be there Friday morning between 6-7:00 am" and I said “well I need this POD picked up Monday” and he said "To help us out he will pick it up for you on Saturday". NO NEED to call Customer Service, he says "we will handle it." So my Husband and I killed ourselves all day Friday and Saturday morning.

I called the Manager (his personal cell); left 4 voice mails, texted... No response; even spoke to the Driver twice; which was not help. Why offer a pick-up service if you never had any intentions of picking up the POD? So I got screwed for a Monday pickup and was told I had to wait until Thursday to be picked up... NOPE I raised hell w/ Customer Service and the District Manager, POD removed Monday night at 7pm. Johnny Thank you for that. Now The Billing Dept., we pay for a month in advance and you get to keep our money when we return it within that billing cycle, so you get 16 days of my money! Keeping money for services not rendered!!! Looks like it's time to look into a Class Action Lawsuit.

Original review: July 31, 2018

The worst company that I have ever worked with! I am a very patient guy but I lost my cool spending 5 hours on phone with PODS for delivery and then pick up. I called them more than 10 times and they still failed to deliver my container on time, putting so much stress on me. The next day I had to find their local office and drive and sit there for 2 hours to get a driver to deliver my container. the container pick up was even worse, their driver could not find the container that they had delivered to me and my landlord was threatening me to tow the container for a week! The communication between the corporate and local offices is so poor that your message will never get to the local office. I will never work with PODS again.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Without a doubt, the worst experience I've ever had with any company in my life. They made multiple mistakes, ranging from the fairly trivial (not including the padlock and moving blankets I ordered with the pod) to far more serious. For brevity's sake, I'll focus on the most aggravating of these mistakes, which is still in the process of being resolved.

Five days before my pod's scheduled pickup date, I called their customer service line with what I thought was a relatively simple request: Changing the destination of the pod's delivery from my new home to their storage facility. On the day of the pickup, I met the driver at the house to ensure that he was aware of this change, and - he was not. He then called his supervisor for guidance, and after a brief conversation, proceeded to tell me that he would not be able to deliver it to the pod storage facility. He offered no help or ideas for a solution to this problem, and as I was calling the corporate customer service number, he left.

That was about 24 hours ago. Since then, I closed on the sale of the property where the pod is currently located, and spent several hours on the phone with various customer service representatives trying to get this issue resolved, to no avail. The fact that I no longer own the property where the pod is, and that it is blocking access to the home's new owners, did not seem to impress them. As of now, I have no idea when (or if) the pod will be moved, and literally no one at the pod's corporate center can even provide an estimate, as - get this! - They can't get in contact with ANYONE at the local storage and delivery facility in the Oaks area outside of Philadelphia!

Corporate customer service has made numerous attempts by both phone and e-mail to contact the managers of the facility, but have received no response (or so I'm told). I've been assured about a dozen times since this time yesterday that they will be in touch once they've successfully communicated with someone who can approve a new delivery time, but apparently this person either does not exist or does not respond when asked to assist with urgent customer issues. This company has displayed an absurd level of ineptitude at every level throughout my dealings with them. It would almost be comical if it wasn't so, so irritating and my situation wasn't so urgent. Maybe someday I'll sit back and laugh reminiscing about this, if it ever actually gets resolved. I'll also sit back and laugh at the inevitable decline of their business, as it doesn't seem possible that a company with such poor customer service could survive over the long run.

Original review: July 26, 2018

PODS gave me a way off estimated time when the driver is going to be there, and according to them our pod was not ready. I couldn't even handle any situation because the driver was there right after location manager's heads up phone call, which an hour turns into 5-10 minutes. The Customer Care-Violet ** was being inconsiderate and not able to listen to their customers, and she would not allow me to speak to the manager because she said she can handle the case. It was very unfair as I want to be there and their ETA or lead up phone call was all off.

I chose PODS because our friends has highly recommended it, and now I feel we are being robbed and not able to do anything except to accept whatever PODS decided to do. It is like you have your credit card stolen and someone is on shopping spree and you cannot stop it. The portable storage is a good idea, but the logistics and Customer Care were very unsatisfactory, because with PODS' vision, customers are always wrong, and you just pay whatever fee they decided to charge you, then they will provide their service, otherwise you are on your own with this big container.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Man, what can I say, this company is the worst. They promised dates of delivery they couldn't meet. Customer service was horrendous. They damaged my property and denied ownership and even denied my claim even though I had pictures and proof. They respond to my reviews saying we want to make it right and they don't. If you don't want to go through hell, do not use this company!

Original review: July 24, 2018

In the past the service was decent, however this past move the customer service representative have repeatedly told us we were due a refund, but that was never processed. Each representative says something different which is why the refund is owed. There is no consistency. They misrepresent everything they say. When we called back to discuss why we had not seen the credit back to our account they told us that we were not getting it. Additionally when asked to speak with a manager we were continuously denied. The person in billing stated that he has access to managers via instant messaging and then said he was not able to contact them via IM.

This is the same thing that happens when you call and ask for information regarding delivery of your POD, one rep says one thing and thing says something completely different. They put us on hold and my husband was on hold for over an hour and 30 minutes. We called from a different line and endless hold again. The only reason they have 1 star is because we could not rate them lower. Please beware when using this company. There are more companies to choose from so make sure you read review and know who you are dealing with.

PODS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) is a storage and moving service that was established in 1988. Consumers choose the size of a container they need, and PODS ships it to them. Consumers then load the container, and PODS either stores it in one of their facilities or ships it where consumers need it to go.

• Container sizes: PODS containers come in three sizes: 7-foot container, with approximately 385 cubic feet; 12-foot container, with approximately 689 cubic feet; and 16-foot container, with about 924 cubic feet.

• Moving or storage options: PODS offers both moving and storage services. This is ideal for people on the move who may not have worked out a permanent residence.

• Military discount: PODS offers a discount for moving military families. The Personally Procured Move (PPM) program takes special care of military service men and women and their families to help with moves.

• How-to guide: PODS offers video tutorials and online guides for storing furniture and belongings in a PODS container for maximum efficiency and safety.

• Moving supplies: PODS also sells moving supplies like boxes, blankets, lifting straps, tie-downs and more to give consumers a one-stop location for all their moving needs.

• Best for: PODS is best people looking for moving solutions that give them more control over where their belongings are shipped and how they are prepared for transportation.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs