2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.15/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

PODS rents containers to movers interested in partial do-it-yourself moves in 44 states. Unlike other moving companies, PODS doesn't charge based on the weight of your possessions. Instead, the company's costs are based on the number of containers you rent and the rental period. PODS rents on a month-to-month basis.

BOTTOM LINE

PODS is a great option for budget-conscious movers who don't want to transport their belongings themselves. Some long-distance moves cost a bit more, but several consumer reviews praise the company's convenience.

PROS

• No driving required
    • Long rentals
    • Affordable options

CONS

• Not available in all states

Top PODS Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

I had them deliver a pod to a stationary location and stored stuff in it for about a year while I was moving and building a house. And then the second occasion. ... I loaded up a pod and had them transport my household goods to my new location. ... I'm extremely satisfied with PODS.

The PODS reps were very good and they answered all my questions very clearly. They were very punctual even the night before. They informed me exactly when they were coming and they called 15 minutes before they came. ... They were also very careful in transporting it. I would rate them excellent.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is PODS?

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps consumers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. PODS has containers in 44 states and across the world. It's a good idea to book a move with PODS far in advance because containers rent quickly. Customers in larger cities should check local regulations to confirm it is legal to park a PODS container in the street for an extended period.

PODS doesn't offer service in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming.

PODS cost

Although costs vary based on customer location and length of rental, you can expect a local move with PODS to cost about $500. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $5,000. Monthly storage costs start at $150 a month.

Estimated PODS costs

Move typeEstimated cost
      Local moveAbout $500
      Long-distance move$1,000 - $5,000
      Monthly storage$150

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. Note that the room capacity below refers to all rooms, not just bedrooms, so a 16-foot container holds the contents of three to four rooms, not an entire three- or four-bedroom apartment.

FeatureDimensions (feet)Maximum weightRoom capacityGood for
      7-foot container7' by 7' by 8'5,200 poundsOneStudio apartment
      12-foot container8' by 8' by 12'4,700 poundsTwo to threeSmall local moves
      16-foot container8' by 8' by 16'4,200 poundsThree to fourLarger moves

Note: The 12-foot container is only available for local moves.

PODS has two options for insurance.

• Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to a moving container while it’s on your property.
      • Content insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the packed items inside the container. Note: It doesn’t cover water damage.

PODS also sells a number of moving supplies:

• Packing paper
      • Cushioning material
      • Moving blankets

PODS FAQ

Are PODS waterproof?
      PODS containers keep out most precipitation, but it’s best to treat them as if some moisture could get in. This helps avoid any damage to your possessions.
      Are PODS allowed on the street?
      Street parking for PODS varies by municipality. Contact your local authorities to ensure you comply with regulations.
      Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
      Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
      How long can you keep a POD?
      PODS containers rent out on a month-to-month basis. There is no maximum rental period.

Is PODS worth it?

PODS might be worth it to those looking for an affordable way to move. Although PODS moves your items from one location to another, you are the one that packs and unpacks your things. However, this is the main reason you save money. We also like that PODS has 30-day rentals, which gives you more time to pack and is useful for long-distance moves.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: March 28, 2020

Our first POD arrived a day ahead of us and when it did we received a call from the driver only known as Jeff. He told me that he was able to place it in the driveway as requested however he thought we should know that somehow the lock had come loose and the bolts fell off on the inside and our POD was not secure. After I told him we would not be there for another day and didn't know any of the neighbors. He went all the way back to the yard and got what he needed to fix and secure our POD. Jeff went above and beyond and saved a old guy from a lot of stress and possible heart failure.

PODS response

Shout-out to the PODS team! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Paul! Thank you for choosing PODS for your moving/storage needs!

Original review: March 24, 2020

We recently relocated from Texas to Tennessee and we chose to use PODS for the first time rather than renting U-Haul trucks. It was a very good experience for me and my family and we would recommend Pods to just about anyone. Pricing is comparable but gets a lot higher if you end up renting the Pods over time rather than moving them to your next home within the month of starting the Pods.

We had to rent ours for three months (3- 16' pods x 257.00 per pod monthly fee). It added up but was part of the deal going into it so we knew it could happen going into it if we did not find our new home here in TN (which we still haven't)...so we moved them into local storage to save on the monthly rental fees. Just something to really think about. The pods staff and drivers are GREAT. They are GREAT people and employees and they were all very good to deal with on the phone and in person.

PODS response

Brandon, we couldn't be more happy to have assisted you with your move! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! Thanks for choosing PODS! We hope to do business with you again in the future!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My only complaint is that I paid for delivery and pickup of POD on the end of the move and did not get this. I was assured three days before the drop off it was no problem and then received a call that it could not be done. I have moved into a senior living complex with very limited parking and the POD had to stay over 24 hours in the parking area for visitors and took up 2 spaces. When I was told it was not a problem I believe I should have received the service I paid for. I will continue to check my credit card account to make sure I was refunded my extra charge.

PODS response

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Ellen. We'd like to learn more about your experience with us, please reach out to socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can take a look.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Once I was in touch with Dawn **, I was extremely happy. It was a rough start as I spoke with 3 different people, all of whom gave me different and conflicting information. Once I spoke to Dawn and she clearly stated all my options and helped me to firm up my plans, all went smoothly. So my rating starts from my interaction with her. Were I to go back to the beginning, it would be very different. Something needs to be done about the inaccurate and conflicting information one gets on initial contact.

PODS response

We're happy you're happy, Jeanne, and we're glad everything worked out for you! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to let our team know about your concerns.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Overall I was happy with the service. The people who dropped off and picked up the pod were very friendly. My only glitch with this service was I had to call customer service 6 times in the span of 2 days for the redelivery of my POD because I noticed the address I provided was incorrect on my redelivery document. Every time I called, the representative said they changed it, but the change was never reflected in my account. Finally someone realized that their system was overriding the change and not saving the address I was providing them. Once they got that figure out it was all smooth sailing. My house is new construction so the address glitch was not their fault, but I wish someone from customer service had caught the issue the 1st or 2nd time so I didn’t have to call 6 times.

PODS response

We appreciate your review, Bailey. We're glad everything worked out well, and we'll make sure to get your feedback to our team.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Beware of this company. They are way over capacity yet continue to accept thousands of dollars in payments for new orders. It was fine on the MA end but FL is a nightmare. First I was told the truck broke down which initially I believed. That caused a 1 day delivery delay which I really didn't object to. I figured things happen and I already have a home in FL so I was not really anything more than slightly inconvenienced. I emptied the POD a full 24 hrs prior to scheduled pick up. My pick up window was 7:45 AM to 10:45 AM. The driver called about 8 am to confirm he would be here in a few minutes. Never showed. Called at 1:45 pm to find out the status. Was told if it wasn't going to be picked up that afternoon it would be next day. The customer service person filed a red flagged report. No response to that and no delivery time for next day.

Today I called and was told that it was not picked up because I said it wasn't empty and I was out of town!! An utter lie that now I have to deny. They have re-booked me for a 10/31 pick up. That is 2 weeks past original date. I have nowhere to park and am about to be fined by HOA. I have been accused of lying and there is no one to escalate a complaint to beyond one against driver which has a 3 day response time. Beware of paying for a POD. They take your money knowing they are way overbooked and weeks behind.

PODS response

We have been in contact with you regarding these concerns, Suzanne. As we shared, our team is looking into this matter further and will reach out to discuss on Monday. Thank you for your continued patience.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

Reckless driving. On October 13 on 95N before Aquia Harbor exit 2 PODS trucks almost kill me. I was in middle lane when one of the trucks zoomed in front of my car and started driving on far left with the truck almost Sandwiched My car. I managed to get to exit but I did take photos of both trucks. Unfortunately there is no place on the pods website to complain to a customer representative.

PODS response

Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. What you shared involving our driver is concerning, we take these matters seriously, and pledge to investigate this thoroughly. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com so we can gather additional information?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

In June I ordered my pod to be delivered to Marion, OH. Pod arrived fine to my house in Florida and was picked up in late July or early August. It was held in Florida for a couple of weeks then sent on to the hub in Grove City, Ohio. I moved from Florida September 17th and called for delivery of Pod at that time and never before I was told they couldn't deliver in Marion, OH because of low power lines. I had to pay a company almost $1000 to pick up and deliver to me because of this. Since moving is their specialty I believe they were negligent in not checking this out much sooner or at the beginning so I would be aware of the extra cost in my move. I would caution anyone considering using PODS and I will never use them again.

PODS response

We can understand how you're feeling and would like to research this further, Nina. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

First, they were unable to accommodate my timeline. Finally, when the container was picked up, the driver was extremely rude. He clearly hates his job. He asked about the door not closing. I explained that the POD was delivered to me damaged. The loaders had difficulty closing the door. Then I get charged $140 and I have no idea why. Horrible customer service, I'm dreading calling to find out what that charge was about because I know I'll be on hold for over 20 minutes. I plan to take further action if this $140 is not refunded. Don't use PODS, instead use UPack, they were incredibly reliable and professional.

PODS response

We're definitely disappointed to read of your experience, Terry. We'd like to take a closer look at your account and address you concerns. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we can connect.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

We arranged for two Pods to move from Minneapolis to Portland. One made it on the day they said it would... The other didn't. Three calls to customer service (with three different "service" people answering) got three different answers (one - "Should be there soon," two - "Delivery window between 12:45 and 3:45," three - "Hmmmm, we don't know where your pod is, I'll send a message to logistics - call back in three day.")

The day after my pod(s) were supposed to be here I got a call saying my pod was still in Minneapolis. They had apparently loaded the wrong pod to Portland (so some other schmuck pod customer is probably wondering why, too). Should be able to deliver IN 10 DAYS! How wish Amazon would buy out Pods so it could actually operate with 2020s technology instead of whatever messed up system they use. I paid a huge fee for cross-country transit and am appalled at the inefficiency. I thought I was being smart and economical to buy into the hype Pod says about itself. Moving is crazy-making enough without dealing with a business as poorly run as this. Rent a U-Haul and move it yourself- you'll be sure to know where your precious things are.

PODS response

We appreciate you reaching out, Nora, and we're disappointed to read you've had this type of experience. We want to be able to have this looked into further. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID so we may best assist.

PODS Company Information