1.4/5 (89 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About PODS

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps customers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. The company offers moving and storage services across 44 states, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Since it started in 1998, PODS has completed over 5 million deliveries. There are over 220,000 PODS containers in service, according to the company.

Pros

• Flexible storage rentals
  • Affordable options
  • No driving required

Cons

• No packing or loading services
  • Unavailable in some states

Bottom Line

PODS is a good option if you're budget-conscious and don't want to transport your things yourself. Some long-distance moves can get pricey, but reviews consistently praise the company's convenience.

Top PODS Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost… He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, ...

Verified

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good con...

About PODS

PODS is a company that rents out containers to those who are interested in a partially do-it-yourself relocation. PODS is available in most states; it doesn't offer services in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming. In addition to moving and storage services, the company also sells a number of supplies, including:

• Packing paper
  • Stretch wrap
  • Locks
  • Moving blankets

How does PODS work?

PODS offers customizable moving and storage options using its containers, which come in three different sizes. You can choose to keep a PODS container on your property, store it at a local PODS storage center or have the container transported to a local or long-distance destination. PODS recommends getting a quote and scheduling service at least seven days in advance. You can cancel for a full refund up to 24 hours before container delivery.

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. The full dimensions of each container are in the table below. PODS delivers the container to your address for loading. You decide whether you want to keep the PODS container on-site, have it moved to a local PODS facility for storage or have PODS move it locally or long-distance. You're responsible for loading the PODS container; the company can connect you with third-party professionals for packing and loading assistance.

DimensionsMaximum weightGood for
Small container7' x 7' x 8'5,200 poundsStudio apartment
Medium container12' x 8' x 8'4,700 pounds2- to 3-room home
Large container16' x 8' x 8'4,200 pounds3- to 4-room home

How much does PODS cost?

The cost of moving with PODS containers is based on the number of containers you rent, the size of the containers, the distance of the move, the length of the rental and the time of year. You can expect a local move with PODS to cost up to $550. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $3,000. Monthly storage costs start at $149 a month. See estimated costs below.

PODS serviceEstimated cost*
Local move$350 to $550
Long-distance move$1,000 to $3,000
Monthly storage$149

*At the time of publishing

To get a PODS quote, fill out a form online to be contacted by a customer service representative. You can also call its customer service line to receive a quote over the phone. PODS offers discounts to members of the military.

PODS FAQ

Is PODS insured for moving?
Yes, PODS is insured for moving. The company offers two coverage options:
  • Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to or loss of a moving container due to fire, smoke, vandalism, falling objects, car accidents, lightning, windstorm or hail.
  • Contents insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the items inside the container. Note that it doesn’t cover damage or loss due to improper packing, burglary at your home or water damage.

Prices for coverage range from $10 per month to several hundred dollars per month, depending on the level of protection.

Are PODS climate-controlled?
No, PODS containers are not climate-controlled. They have a steel frame and aluminum panels, and they are weather-resistant.
Are PODS waterproof?
PODS containers are weather-resistant. According to PODS, they are designed to protect contents from rain and snow.
Are PODS allowed on the street?
It depends on the location. Contact your local municipality to find out if you need a permit to have a PODS container on the street.
Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
How long can you keep a PODS container?
You can keep a PODS container for as long as you need it. The company rents out containers on a monthly basis.

Is PODS good for moving?

PODS is worth a look if you’re relocating and don’t want to pay full-service moving prices. The company provides containers, moves your items from one location to another and offers storage at local facilities. It doesn’t, however, do any packing, loading, unloading or unpacking. We like that PODS is widely available in the U.S., has three different sizes of containers, has a reasonable cancellation policy and works with both homes and businesses.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

We moved from Pennsylvania to Florida, and from the first quote to the last delivery, PODS was second to none across the board. The pods were dropped off and delivered on time, and it took the stress out of the long drive down knowing we didn’t have to drive a moving truck. Love this service, the drivers were quick and professional, and the price was right. Nothing broke and we had the pods out of the driveway before the holiday.

PODS response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback, Stephen! There are so many moving parts when it comes to a cross-country move. We're glad we were able to help along the way! Thank you for the recommendation!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

This was probably the best moving experience I’ve ever had. I was originally going to rent a uhaul and drive from California to Indiana, but for the same rental price I didn’t have to spend the money on hotels, food and gas. Everything arrived intact and nothing was broken. They work with you on the timing of the drop off and pick up. I have a friend that just moved to Washington and had the same great experience. This is the way to go if you’re going to move. Very very happy I used PODs.

PODS response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback, Karen! There are so many moving parts when it comes to a cross-country move. We're glad we were able to help along the way! We have your back when you need us again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

This was our first time using POD and we were worried about how difficult it would be to move several states away. The POD customer service and warehouse staff were all professional and helpful. We ran into a small scheduling problem with the second day of loading our POD and the office manager was nice enough to take out some of his personal time to give us access to our POD before it shipped. We will definitely be using POD again in the future.

PODS response

Thank you so much for your kind words. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Victoria! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. Come back and see us soon. Cheers!

Original review: April 29, 2021

We used this company for a cross-country move that happened in two stages. We had such a great experience. Prompt and courteous and very careful in delivering and picking up our POD, and also our deliveries to the final destination were right on time. We could not be happier.

PODS response

Hi, Kellee! Thanks for the awesome review! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. Come back and see us soon. Cheers!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I recently moved from Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY to Steubenville, Ohio and used Pods for the move. I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost. My Delivery/Pickup in Steubenville was handled by Andrew and in one word he was PROFESSIONAL. Not just the driving, which was awesome considering the cramped driveway, but by his whole attitude. I knew within minutes that Andrew knew his job and enjoyed people. He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, and did it perfectly. I will not hesitate to recommend Pods to anyone looking for a smooth experience that takes the pressure away from moving..

PODS response

Thanks for the awesome review, James! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. We have your back when you need us again!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

My partner and I scheduled a pod for our move across the country in November 2021. The initial Saturday pod drop off was a no-show. We spent multiple hours on the phone getting through to customer service who first told us the driver would: arrive in 45 minutes, then arrive in 2 hours, and then that the driver would not arrive. When we were finally told the driver wouldn’t come at all (no explanation), we were told to reschedule. However nothing could be scheduled until the following Monday, and as a result it would take almost an additional week for our belongings to arrive on the other side of the country.

This incurred many additional costs including penalties from canceling our movers last minute, needing to take multiple additional days off work to deal with the issue, and needing to figure out where to stay for an additional week on the other side of our move before our belongings arrived (not easy with both a dog and cat in tow).

I submitted a customer service ticket in mid-November and was assigned a “Customer Advocacy Specialist” a few days later requesting more information. When I sent the info I received an auto-generated message that they were looking into it. That was Nov 22. Since then I have followed up politely four separate times. Like everywhere, I’m sure their teams are overwhelmed/understaffed, etc. But to hear nothing for 2 months now feels like an attitude of “never respond and eventually the customer will give up.” Based on this experience I really couldn’t recommend them.

PODS response

This certainly isn't how we want you to feel, Emma. We'd be more than happy to check in with our team and get an update on their review of your account. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

We had a terrible experience with PODs that cost us thousands. We scheduled the pick-up and delivery for our cross-country move and thought everything was settled when they picked up our container. The day we were expecting the delivery at our new home, it did not show, and in calling customer service we were informed that delivery had been cancelled due to an unsigned disclosure and that the POD hadn’t left the warehouse, 1000 miles away. They claimed there had been one email alerting us of the disclosure (I do not see this email anywhere) but in logging into my MyPods there is no form to sign, and it still showed the delivery date that we had previously scheduled. We asked what needed to be signed, and the customer service rep notes “Oh we see it’s actually been signed, let’s get your delivery scheduled.”

We request a rush since we’re in a new home in a new state without any belongings, and the soonest they can have the POD to us is 10 additional days. In asking for any kind of reimbursement due to the expenses we’ve now had to incur waiting on our furniture and belongings (I can only sleep on an air mattress for so long!), they set up a case for their finance department. That was over three weeks ago, and they have been completely unresponsive to our multiple follow ups. At this point all we can do is laugh at the irony of POD’s mission statement: “We pride ourselves on providing the ultimate level of customer service. We deliver what we promise.”

PODS response

Hi, Stephanie! We'd like to connect with you to learn more and address your concerns right away. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

So I'm currently going through a nightmare with this company. First the agent set it up wrong which almost resulted in our POD sitting in a parking lot for 2 weeks in a place we no longer lived. Took 7 hours of panicking and scrambling to fix that issue. Second our POD was delayed a week apparently due to "door issues" but we weren't told until the last minute. I had movers hired to help unload. That cost me 150 bucks to reschedule since it was last minute.

Third day the POD is due to arrive I get no phone call about delivery and the POD eventually shows up but really late outside of the time estimate. It also was only delivered at all because we called asking where it was at the end of the estimate and surprise it hadn't even left. I again had people to help and now again have had to reschedule. Another 150 bucks. But now it gets worse.

Fourth the pod door is totally jammed. I didn't pack it that badly and there's not really much by the door that could jam it so that means it must have been really shaken up... I'm scared to see inside but I can't. For 2 days now we've been trying to get help to get it open. We found out one driver lied to his manager and told him he helped us this morning as scheduled.... he didn't. Then we were told the manager would call us personally to get help.... he didn't. Then we were told a driver would call us today when coming over.... it's now 8pm, no call.

So I have a POD I can't get into and help coming tomorrow at 2pm to unload it. I have new scheduled help tomorrow morning but I'll be shocked if anyone shows... so I have no choice tomorrow other than to get.... creative. I can't wait for this nightmare to be over and will never be using PODs again. Bad service is one thing but you cross by the line when you lie to us over and over again.

PODS response

We can understand how you're feeling and would like to research this further, Patrick. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

The only time we had an actual person was during quotation. I did not receive a courtesy call prior to PODS arrival 12/15/21, then POD pickup driver broke the storage center gate 12/16/21 and smelled like pot. I've also received 5 calls from drivers making deliveries in CO that don't pertain to me. I'm now trying to ensure my delivery 12/29/21 in accordance to my order confirmation because the customer portal doesn't show any updated delivery in progress from FL to NC and shows a bogus contact # on customer home page. I can't get a live person on the phone and chat refers you to the same # that pushes you to the customer portal with inaccurate info. Credit Card on file has also been charged in advance for every transaction before it actually occurs.

I will never use PODS again and I'm baffled by reviews saying good customer service when it's impossible therefore must be bogus entries by PODS affiliates. I can only pray at this point that the delivery arrives so we may get my sick mother's belongings to her as she's been living out of 2 bags since 12/15/21. Order placed 12/08/21 #**.

PODS response

We can understand how you're feeling and would like to research this further, Stephanie. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

This is a completely unreliable company. I scheduled a POD for delivery to my business for 12/27 several weeks ago. PODs called me to ask for my cc# for payment, which I gave them. I received 2 emails from the sales rep confirming my drop off date of 12/27. Anytime I emailed the sales rep, she got right back to me. On 12/27 the POD was never delivered. I drove 2.5 hours to the job site and I scheduled a return flight home around the delivery. Again, they NEVER showed up to drop off the POD.

I called customer service who informed me that they were slammed busy and had to reschedule my drop off for 2 weeks in the future. Are these people kidding me!!?? And of course now the sales rep is ghosting me and not replying to my emails. This company is not reliable at all. They have no problem taking your money though. In addition to the monthly fee they automatically set you up for the 'optional' $10/month insurance and then side slam you with a $280 delivery fee and a $280 pick up fee.

PODS response

We certainly don’t like to see this, David. If you’d like to chat, please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details.

PODS Company Information