4.56/5
Based on 1,046 ratings submitted in the last year

Discover the right moving company for you

PODS

PODS is a moving and storage company that provides customers an innovation solution. PODS delivers a level container and allows unlimited time for individuals to load and unload their belongings knowing that they will not be damaged.

PODS is a great solution for personal belongings or business equipment. We promise to provide convenient, flexible, security, and control for your storage or move. Call us today for a free quote!

View More View More

2492 PODS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

For every person considering renting a pod please read this. My name is David ** and I live in Texas. I am a contractor and have been for many years. About three years ago I was contracted to remodel a home in Wylie Texas after a huge hailstorm. I was working directly with State Farm and the homeowner. So we Decided to rent a pod from PODS and everything seemed fine. Well the homeowner moved their furniture and several other items inside the pod, locked it and that was that. Fast forward three months later I finished the job. Complete remodel on home and the homeowner opens the Pod and come to find out that the Pod had been leaking for three months and everything inside was ruined.

The homeowner had insurance and they thought that everything would be covered. Not the case. PODS refused to compensate the homeowners. The battle went on for months and the homeowners finally gave up and settled for 700 dollars after they had lost 20,000.00 furniture and clothing etc... So moral of the story PODS is a no good company. So fast forward another three years and I should have known better, but here I go calling PODS for a container. So I order it and the pod is brought out to my location. I come outside and tell the driver that he needs to be careful and not destroy my newly poured 15,000.00 dollar driveway. After this he drives off the driveway twice and I'm like, "Sir please don't crack my driveway." And he responds, "I'm not liable for it."

Unbelievable. So I stop him because I realize the pod is backwards and tell him to go to the church parking lot down the street and flip it. He say ok and never returns. I waited outside for 45 minutes waiting until I called PODS to find out where the driver went. PODS tells me the driver said I was harassing him so he left and they left me high and dry. So now I know I will never use this company again and you should not either. There are several other companies who provide the same container but with much better customer service.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I called to have my POD delivered before I was charged for another month. I was told that they did not have delivery dates available for a week but that my account would not be charged since it was become they did not have availability. I was then charged for another month anyway. I made multiple phone calls and sent multiple emails in order to get my money refunded. I have been told twice now that it would be refunded in five business days. That was two weeks ago and I still haven’t seen it.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I am happy to say that my issues with the Pods company has been resolved. After contacting the proper people the company came up with a resolution to my stressful move. I do want to thank Consumer Affairs for helping me springboard this resolution with the Pods company.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

RIP OFF! Do not use this company. I gave the rep the items I needed to move. I was told the storage bin would handle 3 to 4 rooms. They Lied. I had a professional service tell me that the only items the pod would handle was my bedroom set. I called to return the pod 2 days later. I paid over 2,700.00. The pod company only returned 1,550.00. They charged me for delivery, monthly storage, and misc fees. They stole over 1,200.00 of my money for a service I couldn’t use!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We moved from GA to NJ and took 2 PODS containers. The experience in GA was good but in NJ it is very terrible. The first container was delivered but the door didn't open. I was told someone will come and help after 10 days and the system automatically moved the delivery date after 15 days. After doing various things, we were able to open the door after 3 days. There was not enough space for the second container in the driveway and it was delivered and had to returned (PODS charged me for this). Now one container is going to sit in the driveway idle and it will be there for more than 1 week. Called PODS customer service multiple times and I get the same answer. We reached out to the local storage unit and they didn't respond. Find a different container service other than PODS. Their billing is also very unpredictable. All of a sudden you see charges on your card without any prior notice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I used PODS to move from California to Wisconsin. I spent over $4000 in delivery fees, transportation fees and storage fees. I chose PODs with the hope that their customer service would be superior to other companies. However, after my POD was delivered at my final address I was given one more additional fee - a repositioning fee. I called customer service to request more information, and they said that this was charged when the driver had to return and move the POD, which had not happened. I opened an incident and after two weeks of radio silence, I was told that the fee was accurate and there was nothing they could do about it. After spending thousands of dollars on this service, they could not resist adding just one more charge for a service I had not requested or received. Save your money and go with a different company with a little more ethical backbone.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I would have given 4 Stars until the final delivery happened. During the time of renting and storing at the Longwood Facility was great, each time we needed access, the facility did a great job of bringing it out and staging it; no damage to any of my items. BUT WAIT FOR IT... now it's time to finalize your rental and have it delivered; delivery to your residence is set Thursday delivery window 3:15-5:15... BOOM, at 4:00 the Manager calls and says they can't make it, so I already took half day off from work Thursday "lost time". So he says, "We can be there Friday morning between 6-7:00 am" and I said “well I need this POD picked up Monday” and he said "To help us out he will pick it up for you on Saturday". NO NEED to call Customer Service, he says "we will handle it." So my Husband and I killed ourselves all day Friday and Saturday morning.

I called the Manager (his personal cell); left 4 voice mails, texted... No response; even spoke to the Driver twice; which was not help. Why offer a pick-up service if you never had any intentions of picking up the POD? So I got screwed for a Monday pickup and was told I had to wait until Thursday to be picked up... NOPE I raised hell w/ Customer Service and the District Manager, POD removed Monday night at 7pm. Johnny Thank you for that. Now The Billing Dept., we pay for a month in advance and you get to keep our money when we return it within that billing cycle, so you get 16 days of my money! Keeping money for services not rendered!!! Looks like it's time to look into a Class Action Lawsuit.

Original review: July 31, 2018

The worst company that I have ever worked with! I am a very patient guy but I lost my cool spending 5 hours on phone with PODS for delivery and then pick up. I called them more than 10 times and they still failed to deliver my container on time, putting so much stress on me. The next day I had to find their local office and drive and sit there for 2 hours to get a driver to deliver my container. the container pick up was even worse, their driver could not find the container that they had delivered to me and my landlord was threatening me to tow the container for a week! The communication between the corporate and local offices is so poor that your message will never get to the local office. I will never work with PODS again.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Without a doubt, the worst experience I've ever had with any company in my life. They made multiple mistakes, ranging from the fairly trivial (not including the padlock and moving blankets I ordered with the pod) to far more serious. For brevity's sake, I'll focus on the most aggravating of these mistakes, which is still in the process of being resolved.

Five days before my pod's scheduled pickup date, I called their customer service line with what I thought was a relatively simple request: Changing the destination of the pod's delivery from my new home to their storage facility. On the day of the pickup, I met the driver at the house to ensure that he was aware of this change, and - he was not. He then called his supervisor for guidance, and after a brief conversation, proceeded to tell me that he would not be able to deliver it to the pod storage facility. He offered no help or ideas for a solution to this problem, and as I was calling the corporate customer service number, he left.

That was about 24 hours ago. Since then, I closed on the sale of the property where the pod is currently located, and spent several hours on the phone with various customer service representatives trying to get this issue resolved, to no avail. The fact that I no longer own the property where the pod is, and that it is blocking access to the home's new owners, did not seem to impress them. As of now, I have no idea when (or if) the pod will be moved, and literally no one at the pod's corporate center can even provide an estimate, as - get this! - They can't get in contact with ANYONE at the local storage and delivery facility in the Oaks area outside of Philadelphia!

Corporate customer service has made numerous attempts by both phone and e-mail to contact the managers of the facility, but have received no response (or so I'm told). I've been assured about a dozen times since this time yesterday that they will be in touch once they've successfully communicated with someone who can approve a new delivery time, but apparently this person either does not exist or does not respond when asked to assist with urgent customer issues. This company has displayed an absurd level of ineptitude at every level throughout my dealings with them. It would almost be comical if it wasn't so, so irritating and my situation wasn't so urgent. Maybe someday I'll sit back and laugh reminiscing about this, if it ever actually gets resolved. I'll also sit back and laugh at the inevitable decline of their business, as it doesn't seem possible that a company with such poor customer service could survive over the long run.

Original review: July 26, 2018

PODS gave me a way off estimated time when the driver is going to be there, and according to them our pod was not ready. I couldn't even handle any situation because the driver was there right after location manager's heads up phone call, which an hour turns into 5-10 minutes. The Customer Care-Violet ** was being inconsiderate and not able to listen to their customers, and she would not allow me to speak to the manager because she said she can handle the case. It was very unfair as I want to be there and their ETA or lead up phone call was all off.

I chose PODS because our friends has highly recommended it, and now I feel we are being robbed and not able to do anything except to accept whatever PODS decided to do. It is like you have your credit card stolen and someone is on shopping spree and you cannot stop it. The portable storage is a good idea, but the logistics and Customer Care were very unsatisfactory, because with PODS' vision, customers are always wrong, and you just pay whatever fee they decided to charge you, then they will provide their service, otherwise you are on your own with this big container.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Man, what can I say, this company is the worst. They promised dates of delivery they couldn't meet. Customer service was horrendous. They damaged my property and denied ownership and even denied my claim even though I had pictures and proof. They respond to my reviews saying we want to make it right and they don't. If you don't want to go through hell, do not use this company!

Original review: July 24, 2018

In the past the service was decent, however this past move the customer service representative have repeatedly told us we were due a refund, but that was never processed. Each representative says something different which is why the refund is owed. There is no consistency. They misrepresent everything they say. When we called back to discuss why we had not seen the credit back to our account they told us that we were not getting it. Additionally when asked to speak with a manager we were continuously denied. The person in billing stated that he has access to managers via instant messaging and then said he was not able to contact them via IM.

This is the same thing that happens when you call and ask for information regarding delivery of your POD, one rep says one thing and thing says something completely different. They put us on hold and my husband was on hold for over an hour and 30 minutes. We called from a different line and endless hold again. The only reason they have 1 star is because we could not rate them lower. Please beware when using this company. There are more companies to choose from so make sure you read review and know who you are dealing with.

Resolution response: July 27, 2018

After an inspection of my property, the VP of Houston found the issues and has agreed to assist with the proper repairs. It takes a solid company to step up and make things right, even if the fault may not have been their own. Thank you for stepping up and making a customer for life.

Original review: July 23, 2018

DO NOT use PODS, they are negligent and claim no responsibility for their actions. While trying to contact them, the customer service experience was almost as bad as the damage they caused to my home! When delivering PODS to my new address, the hydraulics on their truck BROKE my driveway (I'm talking 1/2 the driveway, sinkhole size hole AND the driver admitted damages). When calling to inform them (after over a week of trying to get a hold of someone and getting nothing but the run around from their call centers) I was told they are NOT responsible for damages done. They refuse to even let me speak with a manager on the matter. This is the WORST customer service EVER, and I am left with a gaping hole in my driveway, which will cost in the thousands to repair. I CANNOT stress to you enough, DO NOT USE THEM! There are several other companies that will NOT damage your property and actually give you customer service!

Original review: July 21, 2018

We had a very large problem with the pickup from the house we sold - two months ago. Now, our delivery date was scheduled for 7/20/18, however, lovely PODS says they misplaced my container and won't give me a delivery day. I'm out money to movers. I'm living in a house with none of my stuff for God knows how long. PODS literally can't even function as a company. Customer service is on a tiny leash and given no authority to escalate situations. The real problem is these storage locations. Customer service called the storage manager 10ish times on 7/20 (move day) and no one answered. Customer service calls the storage manager today (Saturday 7/21), and the storage manager responds with, "it was stored at the wrong location"... How is that the customer's problem PODS? Fix your mistakes PODS...

Original review: July 20, 2018

DO NOT ORDER A POD if you'd actually like to move on time. I had my confirmation call last night that my POD would arrive between 5-8 pm tonight. Cancelled my plans and sat home, waiting. During the time that I waited I received an email that my delivery had been updated and I should check "My Documents" to see the change. Once I opened it they had postponed my delivery of my POD by 6 days and the delivery to my final destination by 12 days!!! Imagine, sitting in your brand new home with nothing for 12 days after you've just moved your family across the country!

After hours on the phone with 5 different people they told me there was nothing they could do. I later found out PODS is a brokerage so even though they are "big name" it doesn't mean they really know what's going on locally. Thank goodness U-PACK was able to save my day and have containers to me by tomorrow (unbelievable) for about the same price and it only takes them 3-5 days to deliver from Minneapolis to Phoenix where PODS takes at least 10 days but in this case more like over two weeks. Save yourself the time... and don't place that PODS order.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Stay away from this disreputable service company. They delivered a POD to my driveway in August of 2017 for storage of my possessions for the winter months while I was undergoing a home renovation. Upon delivery, their delivery machine broke and spilled hydraulic fluid all over my driveway. They told me that with time the oil stains would disappear and promised to take care of the damage it caused to my interlocking bricks and asphalt. At their urging I agreed that we would review the damage in the spring when they came to remove the POD.

In March of 2018 they picked up the POD and when I asked for them to take care of my problem they refused. They said that the local franchisee sold the business over the winter and I should deal with him and he of course has disappeared. PODS headquarters were happy to take my money every month for the entire period but now passed the buck to someone who pretends not to exist and excepts no responsibility. These are shady people. BEWARE!

Original review: July 14, 2018

Our POD was never delivered despite receiving a confirmation the day before with our delivery window. 15 min after our arrival window ended, we called the company only to be told that because 3 drivers called out they would have to postpone the delivery of our POD by 4 days. We never received a call or email to inform us that our POD could not be delivered as scheduled. We only learned of this delay when we called them after waiting for 3 hours for them to show. We had movers scheduled the next morning to help us load the POD as well as movers scheduled and a permit on the other end. Despite talking to supervisors, managers, etc. they said there was nothing that they could do and the earliest they could drop off the container was 4 days later. We were closing on our house and delaying the move by 4 days was not an option.

We explained this to PODS and they offered us a meager $75 off our order for the trouble but the new delivery date could still not be changed. We were left with no choice but to cancel our order that night and replan a cross country move in a matter of hours. Luckily, U-Haul had moving containers available and we made a reservation with them for the next morning. PODS offered no reimbursement of the permit we already paid for in our new town (as the delivery date of the storage containers clearly changed) or the additional cost of the movers we incurred because of the change in plans.

I submitted a formal complaint to the company and was told someone would be in contact with us within 5-10 business days but that never happened. This moving experience was hands down the most stressful moving experience I’ve had and PODS is absolutely to blame. We chose PODS because we were guaranteed the delivery date of the POD. I wish we had gone with U-Haul from the get go. They are cheaper and immensely more reliable.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Do not use this service. They made a mess to our family. The customer service is not accurate and they don't accommodate the needs to have our stuff back and delivered when we need it. When they delivered the container the door was stuck. We were paying hourly to a company to send two workers to do the unloading. We had to send them back. We spoke with a reckless customer service representative that was covering PODS by saying that they are not responsible for items that aren't secured.

We spoke with the assistant manager at the facility where our belongings were delivered and he said that maybe he could send someone to unlock the door in the container by 5pm or tomorrow. I had to drive over the location and waited more for almost 45 minutes for the assistant manager to show up. Finally, he said that he will send a driver that was close to our home. I asked him, "Why do you made me drive all the way here when you could have send a driver right away." PODS is a huge disappointment. You have to chase them so they can react when that should have been taken care right away. PODS is expensive, unreliable, poor customer service, and irresponsible assistant manager and drivers. Save yourself and your family from making a mistake like we did.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Pod cost me $3300 to move from CT to Florida. Delivered 8 hrs late. No calls. No explanation. They want to give me $50. Told them to keep it and spend it on customer service. Rent a truck... 1200. Would have been cheaper and quicker. 1st window for delivery was 8 am, second window was 11 am... each with a 3 hr window... NO calls from them. I called at 2 pm they said I'd get a call any minute. 5pm... JUST NOT VERY RELIABLE AND VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I called to schedule an order for PODS on specific dates to correspond with an upcoming move. I will note that the POD arrived at my old home on the day, and within the three-hour window of the scheduled appointment. Driver was very nice and they dropped the POD off perfectly. Two days later (as planned and per appointment) they picked up the POD. All things perfect at this point. Now comes the pain...

My scheduled drop off at the new place was for the Saturday before the week of 4th of July, 7:45 - 10:45 am. At around 11:45 am I called customer service (which is in FL) to inquire where my POD is. Adding insult to injury is the HOLD times for customer service to get through to a person (this became stage 1 of the second full time job I found myself in, trying to get through to customer service). I was told that the truck was on its way and to hang tight. I call back (wait on hold AGAIN) four hours later and they assure me it must be on its way and inform me they were unable to get a hold of the local branch and will call me with an update.

I called customer service back again that evening (more wait time). I'm assured the POD is probably on its way and that they deliver late into the evening. I'm once again told I will receive a call back when the local branch has responded. By the end of that scheduled Saturday delivery, I had wasted a whole day that I planned to unpack either waiting on hold for customer service or being lied to. No call backs from any of the representatives. Now for the real fun... PODS doesn't deliver on Sundays so best case (at least in my head) is that Monday is a possibility. Monday 5:59 am PST I call customer service in FL to see what the issue is. And... after another hour of hold time, I get the word that my POD is on its way. I end up taking off work (Wed is 4th of July) because I want to unpack the POD before an upcoming family visit.

Now for the real real fun. Come Monday afternoon, I received three emails all of which shows changes in the POD schedule. I will save you the reading time, but let's just say they pushed my POD delivery out 6 weeks! At this point, I'm rather upset (put lightly) and I call customer service. I consulted an attorney and since a contract wasn't signed (I scheduled by phone), I'm convinced PODS has stolen my property. The customer service rep (after yet another long wait) tells me that I need to wait until August; she has no record of my previous calls or that the original scheduled date was June 30th.

At this stage, I lose my cool (my politeness didn't work) and I demand the address of this specific location so I could show up with the police and a mover to collect my stolen property. I additionally have my attorney contact FL and as luck would have it (sarcastically) I finally get that call back from a supervisor. The supervisor informed me she had listened to my previous recordings and was able to get the POD to come the next day. The POD did show up the day before July 4th. I missed the weekend I had planned (and scheduled) to unload and the earliest pick up was six days later, so the eyesore was in my driveway preventing other planned deliveries for about a week.

I cut the last part short because hopefully the message was clear, but I will say the customer service nightmare was something for the record books. This experience almost wasn't real life between all the automated email delivery changes and conflicting customer service stories, and of course the HOLD times. They gave me $100 credit off my order. As far as next steps, I'm not sure that makes things right.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Let's see. Where do I begin with this horrible experience. I guess I'll start from the beginning. I had scheduled with PODS to move 65 miles away which is not considered long distance. Anything over 80 miles is. They dropped off my pod without calling me two hours ahead like they told me they would. I gave them Specific Instructions on where to drop it off and they dropped it off at the complete wrong spot. I had to call them back and stay on hold for 45 minutes to have somebody come back and pick it up and move it a week later.

When I finally scheduled for pickup they told me somebody would be there between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. and I would get my pod the same day. That was also a lie. Somebody showed up at my house at 11 a.m. and I was not prepared for them to take my pod yet. I begged the driver to stay and he agreed to stay for 30 minutes while I hustled and try to get as much stuff in there. I called customer service and ask them why nobody had informed me somebody would come earlier and they had no Rhyme or Reason for it. She did confirm that I was scheduled from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and it was the driver's fault. And then she went on to inform me that I won't get my pod until another 3 business days.

I explain to her that that's not what they told me on the phone and that I would get it the same day and why nobody knows what they are doing. She did not have an answer for that either surprisingly. I told her I will not pay full price for half a service and I will make sure I tell everybody how horrible they are. They made my moving experience worse than it already was and I don't recommend this company to anybody if you're looking for a less stress and honest people. I did tell them they need to give me a refund at least half because I will not pay them for not doing what they promised. Do not use this company!!!

Original review: July 6, 2018

The expense and stress of moving cross country can be a nightmare but PODS was the best solution and we had such a great experience with them. I will always move with PODS now. It's so easy & you don't have to worry about driving a giant truck and towing a car. Excellent company, & excellent customer service! Highly recommend!

Original review: July 4, 2018

Our pod was late being delivered. No problem. Now we’ve packed it and had a pickup time set. It didn’t get picked up on the day they said. It still isn’t picked up. I called customer service and they had no clue what happened. Now it’s the 4th of July, with our stuff sitting on someone else’s property, and there has been no communication other than me reaching out to talk to them. I would not recommend them as a company. They are not keeping their word and not communicating. And no desire to make it right apparently.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Do not use this company. I had a reservation made on June 18th, it was confirmed via email. 2 days before the scheduled delivery, PODS send another email, confirming the delivery day of June 28, anytime after 7 am. *Day of * - Thursday, June 28, I call the Customer Service line, they confirm, should be there between 12-3 pm, 330 pm, NO POD delivery. I'm going to skip the other calls to the driver and customer service line that we made from 11 am, since clearly they were not able to stand up to their reservation and agreement.

I call the customer service line again. They tell me that there is [NO] POD available today, and can not guarantee a POD till end of July. We sold our house, and have to move out. We planned everything around this day, and moving out. We canceled the order on the phone and Via email. They then, took it upon themselves to deliver a POD today, after we had sent emails, re-confirming that we canceled this order, since we could not get a direct answer or resolution to this issue at this time. Again, no one from the PODS company called or even emailed, to tell us they 1) found a POD, and 2) were planning to deliver it on Monday (JULY 2). I am very disappointed w/ the way they handled this. We hired a local moving company that has storage available. I would think twice about calling a company that doesn't honor a reservation, esp when it's as important as moving out of your home.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Like other reviewers, I chose PODS because I thought they had a better reputation to protect. HA! I'm moving cross-country, so it's ridiculously difficult to get all the pieces to line up. My pod was supposed to arrive today, which I DESPERATELY need -- I have movers scheduled to unload it -- but they can't tell me whether it will arrive today (or ever?) or where it is or whether it ever actually arrived in my new home state. They tell me no one is picking up the phone in the local storage office, so they'll "send an email." (Yeah, I'm sure they'll jump right on the email!) I asked why they have so little information, and they explained that the local office is "locally owned." Great. Maybe the guy decided to take a little vacay, while I'm left holding the bag. (Which is all I'm holding, as all my stuff is in the pod in an unknown location.) This is exactly what I was hoping to avoid with movers, and why I chose PODS. HA!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I picked the more expensive PODS over U-Pack and other competitors because I believed they had a better reputation. The location of my pod said my original state for weeks before the delivery date. When I called the customer service rep to verify that it is in the correct city and would be delivered tomorrow, she said yes. Literally TWO MINUTES later I get a call from a different rep that said the exact opposite.

My pod was delayed by a week because of a "breakdown", except the incident happened the day before my delivery in a city that is a 3 day's drive away. They shipped my pod late and refused to admit it. Now my delivery date is the day of my monthly rental renewal. So I will be charged for another month of having the pod despite it being their mistake-- unless of course I get it back within the five day grace period says the customer service rep who refused to connect me to her manager. I regret the $4,000 I spent on this company. I should have picked a cheaper service because I definitely did not get the quality I expected at this price. I expected them to be more reliable.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I scheduled a pod delivery to our townhouse for storage for an upcoming project. I got the confirmation time and was told no one needed to be there. The phone call from the driver said he was on the way and would call if there was any problem. I didn’t receive a call so I thought I was in the clear. The container was not placed in one parking space like it was supposed to be but in both of our only parking spaces. We are already paying for storage of a car for this project so we now have no place to park. Customer service said they couldn’t move it until Monday. I asked what I was supposed to do until then and why didn’t the driver call me when he couldn’t place the container where it was contracted to go.

After the second call they said they could move it the next day and they would credit me the charge for moving the pod to where it was supposed to go in the first place. I needed the pod in a parking space not two spaces so it really only had to be moved four feet over and there was empty spaces on both sides. The driver refused to move it to where I requested it put and said if I didn’t want it where he put it he would take it back. They would not return the cost of delivery for a container I never used because they would not put it in the contracted space. They said the driver had the discretion to choose where to put the pod. Why fill out all the paperwork they needed if they are going to place it where they want. I am just so frustrated at what some companies think customer service is. Everything was fine until they left the container in the wrong spot and wouldn’t move it four feet. Such a waste of time and effort.

Original review: June 15, 2018

If you don't want to read the whole story at least read the bullets below. -Terrible customer service. -On hold for hours. -Clueless employees. Stay far away from PODS! Why, you ask? Read my experience below! The Story: PODS definitely had the market on this product. We here without a house for 3 weeks due to the closing dates not lining up. We figured PODS would be the best bet since the price is reasonable and you only load everything into the POD once. They deliver it to where you need, and simply unload it. Easy, right? Wrong!

My wife initially spent about an hour on the phone speaking to a rep over the phone to quote and book our POD. We figured a single 16' one would be good enough. However the sales rep was persistent that we needed two. He informed us we can always cancel the second one. So the week of the move comes and everything works out great, we get the call and email informing us the first POD is on the way. Then we get another communication about a second one, and then a THIRD! Went on our online account and there should only be 2. Called up the trusty 800#, you will be on hold for at least 30 minutes guaranteed. The lady was very patient and helpful. Turns out when we changed the date of something over the phone, the rep made us a new account and a new POD order. Got that sorted out after about 2 hours on the phone.

After that fiasco we loaded up our single POD and cancelled the second one (wasn't needed as we estimated initially). A couple weeks later I go online to make sure our POD would be delivered to the new home in time. Sure enough there is no delivery date! We booked this over the phone a month ago! Called up PODS and they proceeded to blame us for not informing them of the date or address. Their excuse was that they "quoted" that to us but we did not say we want to "book" it that way. I guess we just sat on the phone for an hour giving a rep this information for fun? So sure enough, they say there is no way to get the delivery date we wanted anymore. They are way too busy. By the way, the whole company is severely understaffed.

The next problem, the PODS storage facility. We called multiple times to multiple people (another 6-8 hours on the phone) trying to get the date corrected. During which some reps would try to help. Other times the reps would literally say that we screwed it up so it is our fault. Every time the 800# PODs reps would try to get a hold of the PODs storage facility they would hear nothing back. There was about 5 days on calling and no responses. Finally, they tell us that we need to physically go to the facility to see why no one is answering. OK, strange request but I am not paying hundreds of dollars more to stay in a hotel since PODS messed up my delivery.

My pregnant wife drives the hour commute to the facility. The lights are off and doors are locked. All that is there is a sign on the door that says call the 800# for issues.... Call back the 800# and they have no idea what to do. My determined wife drove around the facility and found two workers whom were moving PODS. She told them the situation and they said, "No problem, we can deliver that date". They explained that their manager is out of state so no one answers the phone.

The last headache. The POD came on the right day after countless hours on the phone and after physically hunting down PODS employees. We emptied our POD out in 2 days. We informed them (over a month ago) that we wanted it picked up after those 2 days. But of course they lost this date too. So we had an empty POD in our driveway for over a week, blocking any parking spots. PODS said they do not have time to move the POD.

On top of that they charged us $200 for the next month of PODs storage. Apparently, it is the customers fault that PODS is so understaffed that they cannot keep up with their own commitments. And they will charge you for it. After again calling the 800# we got this fee reversed at least. Overall, moving is a hectic experience. If you want to lose your sanity, countless hours of your life, and deal with a clueless company during your move I would recommend PODS. For the rest of us, AVOID PODS!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I've rented a Pod for the last 14 months and thought it was the best thing ever until about 15 minutes ago. I need to have it moved to my new home about 45 miles away and I was told that they are so sorry, but they don't service my destination zip code. Seriously? Why do they advertise cross country moving convenience if they don't even move them across a county? The customer service rep told me that I have to remove my belongings from the unit and find another way to move them. I can then pay them $100 to remove my empty container.

Original review: June 12, 2018

PODS started out great, the employee that helped me schedule my pod was kind and informative, unfortunately she was a liar. The employee explained the process as follows: Have the pod delivered at your address (pay for delivery). You are charged a monthly fee. Schedule and pay for pickup, 24-48 hours needed. Pod will be stored at a delivery center for 24 hours. Pod will be delivered at house before final return. I assumed I would need to give at least 5 days notice based on the above transaction.

How my process worked: Pod was delivered (late but that’s not the point). I sell the property the pod was delivered to. I schedule my pickup 5 days before I need to leave. The first day available for pickup isn’t for weeks – as in at least 3. I will be charged an extra month of rent because they are behind schedule (in the fine print of lease). The buyer of my house is furious because when he is moving in my pod will be in his driveway. I can't go three weeks without my furniture, clothing and belongings so I pay for movers. I hired professional movers – movers were cheaper than my final Pods bill. When I call the Pods customer service number I am on hold for 20-30 minutes before each conversation. Each member I speak to states they will have a manager and or a moving specialist return my call to review other options. I have still not received one return call. I wouldn’t recommend Pods to anyone, for any purpose.

PODS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) is a storage and moving service that was established in 1988. Consumers choose the size of a container they need, and PODS ships it to them. Consumers then load the container, and PODS either stores it in one of their facilities or ships it where consumers need it to go.

• Container sizes: PODS containers come in three sizes: 7-foot container, with approximately 385 cubic feet; 12-foot container, with approximately 689 cubic feet; and 16-foot container, with about 924 cubic feet.

• Moving or storage options: PODS offers both moving and storage services. This is ideal for people on the move who may not have worked out a permanent residence.

• Military discount: PODS offers a discount for moving military families. The Personally Procured Move (PPM) program takes special care of military service men and women and their families to help with moves.

• How-to guide: PODS offers video tutorials and online guides for storing furniture and belongings in a PODS container for maximum efficiency and safety.

• Moving supplies: PODS also sells moving supplies like boxes, blankets, lifting straps, tie-downs and more to give consumers a one-stop location for all their moving needs.

• Best for: PODS is best people looking for moving solutions that give them more control over where their belongings are shipped and how they are prepared for transportation.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs