2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.18/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

PODS rents containers to movers interested in partial do-it-yourself moves in 44 states. Unlike other moving companies, PODS doesn't charge based on the weight of your possessions. Instead, the company's costs are based on the number of containers you rent and the rental period. PODS rents on a month-to-month basis.

BOTTOM LINE

PODS is a great option for budget-conscious movers who don't want to transport their belongings themselves. Some long-distance moves cost a bit more, but several consumer reviews praise the company's convenience.

PROS

• No driving required
    • Long rentals
    • Affordable options

CONS

• Not available in all states

Top PODS Reviews We Found

I had them deliver a pod to a stationary location and stored stuff in it for about a year while I was moving and building a house. And then the second occasion. ... I loaded up a pod and had them transport my household goods to my new location. ... I'm extremely satisfied with PODS.

The PODS reps were very good and they answered all my questions very clearly. They were very punctual even the night before. They informed me exactly when they were coming and they called 15 minutes before they came. ... They were also very careful in transporting it. I would rate them excellent.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is PODS?

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps consumers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. PODS has containers in 44 states and across the world. It's a good idea to book a move with PODS far in advance because containers rent quickly. Customers in larger cities should check local regulations to confirm it is legal to park a PODS container in the street for an extended period.

PODS doesn't offer service in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming.

PODS cost

Although costs vary based on customer location and length of rental, you can expect a local move with PODS to cost about $500. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $5,000. Monthly storage costs start at $150 a month.

Estimated PODS costs

Move typeEstimated cost
      Local moveAbout $500
      Long-distance move$1,000 - $5,000
      Monthly storage$150

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. Note that the room capacity below refers to all rooms, not just bedrooms, so a 16-foot container holds the contents of three to four rooms, not an entire three- or four-bedroom apartment.

FeatureDimensions (feet)Maximum weightRoom capacityGood for
      7-foot container7' by 7' by 8'5,200 poundsOneStudio apartment
      12-foot container8' by 8' by 12'4,700 poundsTwo to threeSmall local moves
      16-foot container8' by 8' by 16'4,200 poundsThree to fourLarger moves

Note: The 12-foot container is only available for local moves.

PODS has two options for insurance.

• Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to a moving container while it’s on your property.
      • Content insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the packed items inside the container. Note: It doesn’t cover water damage.

PODS also sells a number of moving supplies:

• Packing paper
      • Cushioning material
      • Moving blankets

PODS FAQ

Are PODS waterproof?
      PODS containers keep out most precipitation, but it’s best to treat them as if some moisture could get in. This helps avoid any damage to your possessions.
      Are PODS allowed on the street?
      Street parking for PODS varies by municipality. Contact your local authorities to ensure you comply with regulations.
      Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
      Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
      How long can you keep a POD?
      PODS containers rent out on a month-to-month basis. There is no maximum rental period.

Is PODS worth it?

PODS might be worth it to those looking for an affordable way to move. Although PODS moves your items from one location to another, you are the one that packs and unpacks your things. However, this is the main reason you save money. We also like that PODS has 30-day rentals, which gives you more time to pack and is useful for long-distance moves.

PODS Reviews

Original review: March 28, 2020

Our first POD arrived a day ahead of us and when it did we received a call from the driver only known as Jeff. He told me that he was able to place it in the driveway as requested however he thought we should know that somehow the lock had come loose and the bolts fell off on the inside and our POD was not secure. After I told him we would not be there for another day and didn't know any of the neighbors. He went all the way back to the yard and got what he needed to fix and secure our POD. Jeff went above and beyond and saved a old guy from a lot of stress and possible heart failure.

PODS response

Shout-out to the PODS team! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Paul! Thank you for choosing PODS for your moving/storage needs!

Original review: March 24, 2020

We recently relocated from Texas to Tennessee and we chose to use PODS for the first time rather than renting U-Haul trucks. It was a very good experience for me and my family and we would recommend Pods to just about anyone. Pricing is comparable but gets a lot higher if you end up renting the Pods over time rather than moving them to your next home within the month of starting the Pods.

We had to rent ours for three months (3- 16' pods x 257.00 per pod monthly fee). It added up but was part of the deal going into it so we knew it could happen going into it if we did not find our new home here in TN (which we still haven't)...so we moved them into local storage to save on the monthly rental fees. Just something to really think about. The pods staff and drivers are GREAT. They are GREAT people and employees and they were all very good to deal with on the phone and in person.

PODS response

Brandon, we couldn't be more happy to have assisted you with your move! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience! Thanks for choosing PODS! We hope to do business with you again in the future!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Overall I was happy with the service. The people who dropped off and picked up the pod were very friendly. My only glitch with this service was I had to call customer service 6 times in the span of 2 days for the redelivery of my POD because I noticed the address I provided was incorrect on my redelivery document. Every time I called, the representative said they changed it, but the change was never reflected in my account. Finally someone realized that their system was overriding the change and not saving the address I was providing them. Once they got that figure out it was all smooth sailing. My house is new construction so the address glitch was not their fault, but I wish someone from customer service had caught the issue the 1st or 2nd time so I didn’t have to call 6 times.

PODS response

We appreciate your review, Bailey. We're glad everything worked out well, and we'll make sure to get your feedback to our team.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

We used two pods during our move, with 3 weeks of storage in between. We saw terrible reviews for the PODS in the mid-Hudson region after we booked it and even tried to change our house-closing dates. My husband drove to the PODS storage facility and found a new building where the PODS are stored indoors. Ultimately, we were very pleased with our move from the time the Pod was originally dropped off, to pick up, and redelivery. All happened on the agreed upon dates and the timing worked well each time. We were present for each delivery but not for the final pick up. Our belongings were in perfect condition, even considering our unprofessional loading job. The pricing structure seemed fair and the move with storage fit our needs perfectly.

PODS response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, Carolyn. It definitely sounds like PODS was the right move for your move. We look forward to working together again in the future.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I had a very good experience with PODS - they arrived at exactly the time they said they would, charged exactly what they told me when they told me, and everyone I spoke to (during 2 calls to their headquarters and in 2 different cities) was professional, courteous, and warm. I felt very cared for as a customer. There was a problem with the POD door opening when it was redelivered to me, and the delivery person stayed a whole hour, moving things around and squeezing inside the pod with his tools to make sure it would open properly for me. He really went above and beyond, even helping me carry some things to my door - thanks Craig! The only issue I had was that I'm moving during the summer, and redelivery dates and times filled up FAST - I would reserve your time earlier rather than later. Overall, I would certainly recommend them and would use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: May 30, 2020

The initial drop off service and pick up was smoother than I ever anticipated. Customer service was helpful every step of the way. I would recommend the service to anybody. Cost Seems high for this type of service, but other services out there are even higher. Still would recommend using PODs.

PODS response

Hi, Marie! We just love working with customers like you! Thank you for the recommendation!

Original review: May 30, 2020

I have used PODS four times and it is so worth it over packing services. I control what goes into each box and how. One company actually packed my garbage!! Do it!! Too easy and you won't be disappointed. I worked in shopping and had my PODS packed high and tight.

PODS response

Hi there, Angela! Wow, four times! Thank you for trusting us with your moving and storage needs. We appreciate you taking the time to spread the word about your awesome experience. We have your back when you need us again!

Original review: May 28, 2020

The drivers were very professional and courteous when picking up and dropping off the POD container. None of the items stored in the POD were broken when they arrived at my destination. I will be recommending the service to others and I will most likely use them again in the future.

PODS response

Hi, Zachary! We appreciate you taking time of our your day to share PODS was the right move for your move. We have your back when you need us again!

Original review: May 27, 2020

The process was very easy and straightforward. Every single person we came in contact with was very friendly and helpful! Glad we used it. We would definitely recommend it to family and friends and use it for future moves.

PODS response

Cue the music, James! We're doing a happy dance! Thank you so much for sharing this! We love serving our customers!

Original review: May 27, 2020

Timely delivery and pickup and placement of container was perfect. Movers referred to us were excellent too. All staff very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend to a friend. We did not utilize the storage feature but your customer service agents on phone were very professional too.

PODS response

Thank you for your recommendation, Liz! You can't see it, but we're jumping for joy! Come back and see us again soon!

PODS Company Information