Find a Movers partner

4.0/5 (1356 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About PODS

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps customers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. The company offers moving and storage services across 44 states, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Since it started in 1998, PODS has completed over 5 million deliveries. There are over 220,000 PODS containers in service, according to the company.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Flexible storage rentals
    • Affordable options
    • No driving required

Cons

• No packing or loading services
    • Unavailable in some states

Bottom Line

PODS is a good option if you're budget-conscious and don't want to transport your things yourself. Some long-distance moves can get pricey, but reviews consistently praise the company's convenience.

Top PODS Reviews

Verified

... I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost… He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, ...

Verified

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About PODS

PODS is a company that rents out containers to those who are interested in a partially do-it-yourself relocation. PODS is available in most states; it doesn't offer services in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming. In addition to moving and storage services, the company also sells a number of supplies, including:

• Packing paper
    • Stretch wrap
    • Locks
    • Moving blankets

How does PODS work?

PODS offers customizable moving and storage options using its containers, which come in three different sizes. You can choose to keep a PODS container on your property, store it at a local PODS storage center or have the container transported to a local or long-distance destination. PODS recommends getting a quote and scheduling service at least seven days in advance. You can cancel for a full refund up to 24 hours before container delivery.

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. The full dimensions of each container are in the table below. PODS delivers the container to your address for loading. You decide whether you want to keep the PODS container on-site, have it moved to a local PODS facility for storage or have PODS move it locally or long-distance. You're responsible for loading the PODS container; the company can connect you with third-party professionals for packing and loading assistance.

DimensionsMaximum weightGood for
    Small container7' x 7' x 8'5,200 poundsStudio apartment
    Medium container12' x 8' x 8'4,700 pounds2- to 3-room home
    Large container16' x 8' x 8'4,200 pounds3- to 4-room home

How much does PODS cost?

The cost of moving with PODS containers is based on the number of containers you rent, the size of the containers, the distance of the move, the length of the rental and the time of year. You can expect a local move with PODS to cost up to $550. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $3,000. Monthly storage costs start at $149 a month. See estimated costs below.

PODS serviceEstimated cost*
    Local move$350 to $550
    Long-distance move$1,000 to $3,000
    Monthly storage$149

*At the time of publishing

To get a PODS quote, fill out a form online to be contacted by a customer service representative. You can also call its customer service line to receive a quote over the phone. PODS offers discounts to members of the military.

PODS FAQ

Is PODS insured for moving?
    Yes, PODS is insured for moving. The company offers two coverage options:
    • Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to or loss of a moving container due to fire, smoke, vandalism, falling objects, car accidents, lightning, windstorm or hail.
    • Contents insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the items inside the container. Note that it doesn’t cover damage or loss due to improper packing, burglary at your home or water damage.

Prices for coverage range from $10 per month to several hundred dollars per month, depending on the level of protection.

Are PODS climate-controlled?
    No, PODS containers are not climate-controlled. They have a steel frame and aluminum panels, and they are weather-resistant.
    Are PODS waterproof?
    PODS containers are weather-resistant. According to PODS, they are designed to protect contents from rain and snow.
    Are PODS allowed on the street?
    It depends on the location. Contact your local municipality to find out if you need a permit to have a PODS container on the street.
    Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?
    Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.
    How long can you keep a PODS container?
    You can keep a PODS container for as long as you need it. The company rents out containers on a monthly basis.

Is PODS good for moving?

PODS is worth a look if you’re relocating and don’t want to pay full-service moving prices. The company provides containers, moves your items from one location to another and offers storage at local facilities. It doesn’t, however, do any packing, loading, unloading or unpacking. We like that PODS is widely available in the U.S., has three different sizes of containers, has a reasonable cancellation policy and works with both homes and businesses.

PODS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I recently moved from Buffalo/Niagara Falls, NY to Steubenville, Ohio and used Pods for the move. I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost. My Delivery/Pickup in Steubenville was handled by Andrew and in one word he was PROFESSIONAL. Not just the driving, which was awesome considering the cramped driveway, but by his whole attitude. I knew within minutes that Andrew knew his job and enjoyed people. He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, and did it perfectly. I will not hesitate to recommend Pods to anyone looking for a smooth experience that takes the pressure away from moving..

PODS response

Thanks for the awesome review, James! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. We have your back when you need us again!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2020

The driver was excellent -- very professional. He showed me the warped (bowed) door, where the POD's cargo had shifted en route, and bent the door, so that it will not open. He diligently tried the procedures he was taught, but the door is too bent. I hired a PODS Preferred Moving Company (Pack-and-Load Services) to pack this POD. I purchased the exact number of wide, heavy-duty ratchet straps that Pack-n-Load services recommended. However, the packing crew didn't use all of them. The PODS driver said that unless the tiers are adequately secured, cargo can shift. I must now schedule an access visit, to unlock the padlock on the POD, then sit and watch as PODS crews attempt to open the door, hopefully open it without harming the cargo, then install a new door, so the POD can be transported to my apartment's parking lot.

I must be able to access these items before Dec 8, because the POD contains documents I must submit to the State of Florida for my driver's license, FL title, and FL car registration. If I don't obtain these documents, I'll be in violation of the law, because I will have been in FL for 30 days. I'll also be penalized with a large fine, according to a police officer who lives in my apt. complex. Though I'm very very unhappy with the moving crew which represents a PODS Preferred Moving company, I'm very happy with your PODs driver, today.

PODS response

We're disappointed to hear your experience wasn't as seamless as we had hoped, Mary. If you'd like to chat further, please email socialmedia@podscom with your customer ID and any additional details.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good condition. The door opened smoothly. Our goods arrived in good condition without mishaps. PODS provides helpful instructions and videos for packing online.

One problem I had was that I needed a different phone number to be used at the arrival city. I didn’t see where I could add another number in my online account. I asked customer service to add the number. But, I didn’t see the added number on my up dated documents. Since I didn’t see the change, I had to change the primary account number to the receiving city phone number. I generally had good experience with PODS customer service. The wait time was a little long.

PODS response

We recognize you have many choices when it comes moving and storing your belongings, James, and we're incredibly grateful you chose PODS! It was a pleasure working together with you! Let's do it again soon!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

When planning a move, if you have a 3 bedroom house; base your estimate on a 5 bedroom house. Unless you plan to have a huge yard sale or something, it won't all fit. We moved a 3 bedroom house full of furnishings and it required an additional 21 foot U-Haul truck to carry the stuff that didn't fit in the pod.

PODS response

Hi, Timothy! Thank you for your feedback! It really depends on the size/shape of your stuff and just how much stuff you have. Some people can fit a three-bedroom house into one 16-foot container; however, others need more than one container. We recommend checking out our moving/storage calculator to get a rough estimate of just how much stuff can fit into one of our containers: https://www.pods.com/resource-center/moving-and-storage-calculator. Thanks again for choosing PODS!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I decided on an interstate move to be closer to family when my lease ended, never imagining the logistics problems involved from covid. Availability of apartments in the area I moved to was scarce because people put lives on hold, and I decided that if I arrived and my housing had fallen through I could keep my belongings in storage in my container. There was a 3 week period of uncertainty, and my items were safe and dry in the PODS container while I waited for my apartment to be ready for occupancy. My only problem was communication whenever too many people called in for the amount of people answering calls and one person didn't want to relay instructions.

PODS response

Thanks for choosing PODS! We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback, Patricia. We'll elevate it to the right group to be considered and incorporated as we work hard to improve our services to better meet the needs of our customers. Thank you again!

Original review: May 10, 2021

$49.95 a month insurance is a waste of money. Even charged me again for a empty container because I went over 30 days and refused to pay for damaged nightstand. Load was handle rough. All shifted towards door could not open door. Had to use crowbar to open. Ropes tying load snapped and they said it was my fault. Pack Rat is going to be my next choice.

PODS response

Hi, Donald! We'd like to connect with you to learn more and address your concerns right away. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: April 29, 2021

We used this company for a cross-country move that happened in two stages. We had such a great experience. Prompt and courteous and very careful in delivering and picking up our POD, and also our deliveries to the final destination were right on time. We could not be happier.

PODS response

Hi, Kellee! Thanks for the awesome review! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. Come back and see us soon. Cheers!

Original review: April 17, 2021

I called to cancel the rental unit. I was put on hold for over an hour then disconnected and decided to use the online feature to cancel the unit and schedule a pickup. The schedule to pick up was created on April 9th and the first available pickup up was April 17th. My billing cycle started on the 10th of the month. It appears PODS billed me for the entire month and stated due to not calling I will be charged for the entire month. I'm not happy with paying for storage that wasn't used and sat in my driveway due to PODS available pick up times. I won't do business with them again.

PODS response

Hi, Frank! We certainly don’t like to see this. If you’d like to chat, please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Not very timely picking pods back up. Hard to schedule pick up. The pods themselves are remarkable if you plan to store your belongings for an extensive time. Due to the clear top that allows sunlight in I imagine that would help with mold and other issues arising from prolonged storage. Also the workers who deliver and pick up are very helpful with moving belongings in and out of pod for you. However, they have limited availability for scheduling pick up and I was unable to schedule their 1 day availability in that week and the pod sat in the street for an additional 5 days annoying my neighbors whom had to find parking daily on the street.

PODS response

Thanks so much for reaching out to us, Rebecca! We’ve approached our busy season, so our schedules can fill up rather quickly. The date you were provided was the earliest our location in your area could offer. Please continue to check in with us at (888) 314-5136 to see if anyone’s rescheduled or cancelled.

Original review: March 31, 2021

PODS moving company. Do not trust your cherished goods with them. They tell you that they cannot deliver your goods to you because they want to bang your card monthly for storage it will amount to thousands and thousands of dollars. When you ask where your goods are they tell you they don't have them nor do they have a record of you in their system. They lie, they cheat, and they steal. We demand a settlement with these thieves. Decent people need to know about this horrible moving company. We are hurricane victims and we certainly did not need to stumble upon dealing with the horrible PODS moving company.

PODS response

Hello, M! We've been in contact with you via email and reached out to get your customer ID. We look forward to your response.

Quick and easy

Get matched with a Moving partner

PODS Company Information