1.3/5 (127 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About PODS

PODS, or Portable On Demand Storage, helps customers with local, long-distance, residential, business, military and government moves. The company offers moving and storage services across 44 states, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. Since it started in 1998, PODS has completed over 5 million deliveries. There are over 220,000 PODS containers in service, according to the company.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Flexible storage rentals
    • Affordable options
    • No driving required

Cons

• No packing or loading services
    • Unavailable in some states

Bottom Line

PODS is a good option if you're budget-conscious and don't want to transport your things yourself. Some long-distance moves can get pricey, but reviews consistently praise the company's convenience.

Top PODS Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

... I could not be happier with the service and was surprised at the reasonable cost… He explained everything he was going to do and then, unlike politicians, he actually did it, ...

Verified

Our move went smoothly. I received calls the night before and ten minutes before each arrival. The driver arrived on the day and time as promised. The storage unit was in good con...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About PODS

PODS is a company that rents out containers to those who are interested in a partially do-it-yourself relocation. PODS is available in most states; it doesn't offer services in Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia or Wyoming. In addition to moving and storage services, the company also sells a number of supplies, including:

• Packing paper
    • Stretch wrap
    • Locks
    • Moving blankets

How does PODS work?

PODS offers customizable moving and storage options using its containers, which come in three different sizes. You can choose to keep a PODS container on your property, store it at a local PODS storage center or have the container transported to a local or long-distance destination. PODS recommends getting a quote and scheduling service at least seven days in advance. You can cancel for a full refund up to 24 hours before container delivery.

PODS moving services

PODS has three container sizes: 7-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot. The full dimensions of each container are in the table below. PODS delivers the container to your address for loading. You decide whether you want to keep the PODS container on-site, have it moved to a local PODS facility for storage or have PODS move it locally or long-distance. You're responsible for loading the PODS container; the company can connect you with third-party professionals for packing and loading assistance.

DimensionsMaximum weightGood for
    Small container7' x 7' x 8'5,200 poundsStudio apartment
    Medium container12' x 8' x 8'4,700 pounds2- to 3-room home
    Large container16' x 8' x 8'4,200 pounds3- to 4-room home

How much does PODS cost?

The cost of moving with PODS containers is based on the number of containers you rent, the size of the containers, the distance of the move, the length of the rental and the time of year. You can expect a local move with PODS to cost up to $550. Most long-distance moves cost between $1,000 and $3,000. Monthly storage costs start at $149 a month. See estimated costs below.

PODS serviceEstimated cost*
    Local move$350 to $550
    Long-distance move$1,000 to $3,000
    Monthly storage$149

*At the time of publishing

To get a PODS quote, fill out a form online to be contacted by a customer service representative. You can also call its customer service line to receive a quote over the phone. PODS offers discounts to members of the military.

PODS FAQ

Is PODS insured for moving?

Yes, PODS is insured for moving. The company offers two coverage options:

• Container-only insurance: This insurance covers damage to or loss of a moving container due to fire, smoke, vandalism, falling objects, car accidents, lightning, windstorm or hail.
    • Contents insurance: This insurance covers both the container and the items inside the container. Note that it doesn’t cover damage or loss due to improper packing, burglary at your home or water damage.

Prices for coverage range from $10 per month to several hundred dollars per month, depending on the level of protection.

Are PODS climate-controlled?

No, PODS containers are not climate-controlled. They have a steel frame and aluminum panels, and they are weather-resistant.

Are PODS waterproof?

PODS containers are weather-resistant. According to PODS, they are designed to protect contents from rain and snow.

Are PODS allowed on the street?

It depends on the location. Contact your local municipality to find out if you need a permit to have a PODS container on the street.

Are PODS cheaper than U-Haul?

Generally, yes. Both options are cheaper than full-service movers.

How long can you keep a PODS container?

You can keep a PODS container for as long as you need it. The company rents out containers on a monthly basis.

Is PODS good for moving?

PODS is worth a look if you’re relocating and don’t want to pay full-service moving prices. The company provides containers, moves your items from one location to another and offers storage at local facilities. It doesn’t, however, do any packing, loading, unloading or unpacking. We like that PODS is widely available in the U.S., has three different sizes of containers, has a reasonable cancellation policy and works with both homes and businesses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PODS?

Original review: May 24, 2022

Did everything they said they would do, when they said, for the quoted amount. When loaded POD arrived to new home, contents shifted about 1/2" and roll top gate would not open. I called what I thought was the company (same number that alerted me pod was to be delivered to new location) and turned out was dispatcher personal cell phone. He went above and beyond advising me how to remedy after business hours. We have one last POD that I will need to schedule soon (NJ to VA). Very pleased with PODS from start to finish!

PODS response

We're ecstatic hearing we hit it out of the park for you, Peter! Thank you for your fantastic review! We can’t wait to share it with the rest of our team!

Original review: March 4, 2022

My Pods container was delivered today and the Pods Delivery driver, Bryan D, was totally awesome. He placed our Pod exactly where we asked to have it placed. He was very friendly, professional, and it looked as though he really enjoyed his job. Thank you to Pods for having such an awesome delivery/pick up driver. Great Job! 10 Gold stars to Bryan D in Albuquerque, NM.

PODS response

Kudos to our stellar team! And thank you, NE, for acknowledging their commitment to delivering exceptional customer care! Thank you so much for sharing this! We love serving our customers!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

We moved from Pennsylvania to Florida, and from the first quote to the last delivery, PODS was second to none across the board. The pods were dropped off and delivered on time, and it took the stress out of the long drive down knowing we didn’t have to drive a moving truck. Love this service, the drivers were quick and professional, and the price was right. Nothing broke and we had the pods out of the driveway before the holiday.

PODS response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback, Stephen! There are so many moving parts when it comes to a cross-country move. We're glad we were able to help along the way! Thank you for the recommendation!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

This was probably the best moving experience I’ve ever had. I was originally going to rent a uhaul and drive from California to Indiana, but for the same rental price I didn’t have to spend the money on hotels, food and gas. Everything arrived intact and nothing was broken. They work with you on the timing of the drop off and pick up. I have a friend that just moved to Washington and had the same great experience. This is the way to go if you’re going to move. Very very happy I used PODs.

PODS response

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback, Karen! There are so many moving parts when it comes to a cross-country move. We're glad we were able to help along the way! We have your back when you need us again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

This was our first time using POD and we were worried about how difficult it would be to move several states away. The POD customer service and warehouse staff were all professional and helpful. We ran into a small scheduling problem with the second day of loading our POD and the office manager was nice enough to take out some of his personal time to give us access to our POD before it shipped. We will definitely be using POD again in the future.

PODS response

Thank you so much for your kind words. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, Victoria! We work hard to meet expectations such as yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. Come back and see us soon. Cheers!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

They are liars. They tell you something different. Hang up on you. They owe me 973.99. I contacted them on September 7. After a manager told I would get a refund because my pod was not down to access it. He took copy of truck rental agreement 539.00 plus he said he give us 200.00 for gas and my monthly rent 245.00 back. Totaling 973.99. Have asked to speaker to supervisor yet to speak to one. Been wait on phone back since the 7th. It's now 19th and no phone call. 20 phones call later and hours of my time wasted. The worst customer service ever. Lacking professionalism beyond belief. Still no resolution. I guess when I reach out to my lawyer and they're paying lawyer fee court cost plus my 973.99 they will they just gave me my refund.

PODS response

We appreciate you reaching out, Darlene, and we're disappointed to read you've had this type of experience. We want to be able to have this looked into further so we can clear up any confusion and best assist moving forward. Please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Garbage company with garbage moving and storage service and garbage customer service. Incorrect quotes, incorrect bookings. Every customer support rep you talk to gives you different information. I would rather buy my own storage container and plot of land to store it on than use this company again.

PODS response

This certainly isn't how we want you to feel, Mark. We encourage you to send us an email at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we may best assist.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

If you're planning on using PODS, I highly advise you look elsewhere. The hand doesn't communicate with the brain for this company, and their internal communication is nonexistent. The house we were planning on buying didn't pan out. We called Pods on 6 separate occasions to request that our unit be held in storage instead of being delivered. The customer support reps who barely spoke English told us on multiple occasions that the unit would not be delivered. They even charged us twice for storage. Lo and behold, the unit still ended up getting delivered to the property. The owners start calling pods asking why this unit is sitting in their driveway, pod calls us to tell us "Your unit got delivered, yay!".

They had no record of the multiple conversations we did have record of. Because we recorded the calls. We also have text verification as well. They had no record of that either. After much yelling and frustration, they said they would get the unit and contact us when it is back in storage. This was a week ago and I have yet to receive an ounce of communication from this trash organization. Seriously, don't trust these idiots with your stuff. We're planning on pursuing litigation if this doesn't resolve.

PODS response

We’re disappointed to see this, Matthew. We encourage you to send us an email at socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID and additional details so we may best assist.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

I’ve used PODS three times, so I am very familiar with the process and have been satisfied with the booking process, pickup and delivery and overall flexibility PODS provides for moving. However, I will never use them again due to their horrible billing department. On my last and 3rd move they charged me for a permit fee despite my POD being placed on private property and this charge not appearing in my original quote. What I thought would be an easy fix on their end turned in to 5+ calls with their service department, months of back and forth and ultimately them denying my claim telling me “we never charged you for that”. Even worse, customer support couldn’t answer any questions beyond a status update because these types of claims go to a special internal department which is unreachable by consumers. Be warned that should they overcharge you, you will likely never see that money again.

PODS response

Hi, Kathryn! We'd like to connect with you to learn more and address your concerns right away. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

After a 30 day rental I was charged $100 more than what I was quoted with no explanation and when I called to inquire I was told that my case had been closed and I could not speak to a manager for further discussion. They also tried charging me for 2 PODs instead of one. The day after my POD was moved from one home to the next I got a call telling me a driver was on the way. When I was finished with the POD I got a call 5 days prior to scheduled pickup saying the driver was on the way. I will never use them again.

PODS response

This certainly isn't how we want you to feel, Carla. We'd be more than happy to check in with our team and get an update on their review of your account. Can you please email socialmedia@pods.com with your customer ID?

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

PODS Company Information