Penske Truck Rental

Penske Truck Rental

3.8/5 (222 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About Penske Truck Rental

Penske Truck Rental rents trucks for local and long-distance self-moves in 49 states and Washington, D.C. Penske offers five truck sizes to fit moves of all sizes. Customers who drive themselves but still need help loading and unloading can request labor from a local moving company.

Find Moving Companies near you

Pros

• Discounts
    • Haul a car behind the truck
    • Transparent pricing

Cons

• No trailers, just trucks

Bottom Line

Penske is a good option to save on moving costs. Driving, loading and unloading a truck yourself requires more work than a full-service move, but it’s a more affordable moving solution.

Top Penske Truck Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Verified

Reserved the truck online, very easy to do. ... We chose very convenient pickup and dropoff locations, as this was a 1-way rental, from NJ to FL. The truck was brand new, easy to ...

Verified

Not a single issue with truck or trailer. ... So if you are looking to rent for a one way cross country, Penske is the way. I highly recommend for peace of mind and safety as thei...

What is Penske Truck Rental?

Penske Truck Rental offers five different sizes of trucks for people who want to move themselves. Local moves are affordable, and customers typically pick up and drop off the truck from the same location. Long-distance moves are one-way, so customers leave the truck at their destination city. Penske’s online quote process makes it easy to get an accurate price with all fees included.

Penske Truck Rental price

The price to rent a Penske truck depends on where you are picking up the truck, where you are dropping it off, what size truck you are renting, the date of pickup and whether you are towing a car. For an exact quote, visit Penske’s website and enter your information. Getting a quote only takes a few minutes.

Estimated Penske truck rental prices*

Example routeExample routeTrip detailsCost
    Houston to Dallas250 miles2-day rental$202
    Kansas City to Chicago500 miles5-day rental$814
    Los Angeles to Denver1,000 miles5-day rental$1,469
    Boston to Miami1,500 miles7-day rental$1,938
    Orlando to Seattle3,000 miles11-day rental$2,091

*All prices are for a 16-foot truck.

Penske Truck Rental moving services

Penske caters to two kinds of moves:

• Local moves: Same-city moves usually require customers to pick up and drop off the truck at the same location. Penske often adds a small per-mile charge to the base price for renting the truck.
    • Long-distance moves: These are also known as “one-way” moves. Customers pick up the truck in one city and drop it off at the destination after unloading it.

Penske has five options for truck size, which lets you choose the perfect size to fit your belongings. Penske also sells packing materials and rents hand trucks. Every move comes with roadside assistance. Customers also have the option to haul a car behind their truck.

Truck typeCapacity (cubic feet)Weight limit (pounds)Move size
    High-roof cargo van4043,500Studio apartment
    12-foot4503,100Studio or two rooms
    16-foot8004,300Studio to one-bedroom
    22-foot1,20010,000Medium-sized house
    26-foot1,70010,000Large house

Penske Truck Rental FAQ

Is Penske cheaper than U-Haul?

Penske typically costs more than U-Haul, but prices vary by location. U-Haul has a cheaper 10-foot truck option that Penske doesn’t have. Comparing prices near you is the best way to know for sure which company is cheaper.

Does Penske offer unlimited mileage?

Yes, Penkse offers unlimited mileage on one-way truck rentals.

How much is a Penske truck security deposit?

Penske requires a $100 security deposit.

Do Penske rental trucks need to stop at weigh stations?

Penske encourages drivers to follow all road signs, including ones that signal to stop at weigh stations.

Do you need a CDL for a Penske truck?

Driving a 22- or 26-foot truck requires a commercial driver’s license. All other trucks do not require a CDL.

Is Penske Truck Rental worth it?

Renting a truck from Penske is worth it if you’re moving yourself and not hiring a professional transporter. It's generally affordable, and the process to reserve a truck online is straightforward. We also like that you can tow a car behind the rental truck — just keep in mind that loading, unloading and driving the truck require a lot of effort. For consumers willing to put in that effort to save money, a Penske truck rental is worth it.

Penske Truck Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

Great Value, Clean well maintained truck, And amazing Fantastic personal service from the Manager Steve **. He took the time to converse and show me all the features of the truck to make my journey pleasant and safe. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

Penske trucks are clean, have cruise control, power windows and mirrors. The tank was full when I picked it up. It is actually 16 feet of floor space. U-Haul had none of the above. Penske employees and customer service were great unlike the other company. I recently used both for identical moves so the comparison is accurate.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2022

Penske rented us a truck at the last minute when we were abandoned by another company. They were even able to give us a larger truck than they had originally agreed to the night before and granted us a few extra days with it. They really saved the day.

Original review: May 28, 2022

** helped me find a truck for this long weekend of May 29th through June 1st AT 140 Green Rd. Knoxville, TN 37920 on 05/28/2022. I called everywhere beginning with local Penske locations without much luck. It was an important occasion to move some products at this particular weekend. I have always had good experiences with Penske in my 20+ years of business relationship, but this time, it saved me an important time. Thank you, **. You are an asset to Penske, America and most importantly to humanity:).

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

We just finished using a Penske truck to take our daughter's stuff across the country. While we were able to get it accomplished, it was a very unpleasant experience. First, we specifically chose Penske so we could rent a van. We were going to be driving through several cities and wanted a vehicle that would navigate the local streets a little easier. They assured us over and over again that the van would be there but when we showed up, we got a 12 ft. truck. No discount or apology for not giving us what we ordered.

We had to significantly alter our trip due to the much larger vehicle. Second, the cab was extremely loud. Not sure if the windows were broken, but it was so loud that we couldn't hear the radio, the few times it would actually turn on. Third, they have a governor on their trucks. The governor is set at 75 mph. That is fine, but when the speed limit is 75 and you're trying to pass a truck going 72 mph, it does not allow you to speed up so you can pass at a safe rate. Instead, you are holding up traffic while you inch past a truck. Some might like that, but I didn't. Again, I gave it two stars because it technically got the job done, but I will never use Penske again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2022

I reserved a 16' box truck more than one month in advanced. I called several times to confirm since this move is important. At 11:00am the day before I was to pick up the truck, they called me and left a message that they did not have a truck for me. I called them and they offered a 12' truck instead. I complained and said they would look around to see what they could do. I called U-Haul and got a 20' confirmed. When I called Penske to cancel my reservation, they claimed they found a truck and were only asking me just in case. What??? I told them I will never use Penske again.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2022

I reserved a 26' box truck on 12-3-22. Scheduled to pick up on 12-7-22. I called on 12-5-22 to confirm the truck would be available. I was told that it would be ready as scheduled. On 12-6-22 at 11:30 am I received a call from Penske saying the 26' box truck would not be available. They said the best they could do was a 16' box truck. This is a 40% reduction in size. Then at 4:30 pm on 12-6-22 I received an email saying I now had a 15' van. In their reservation confirmation it says "At Penske, we guarantee that the vehicle you reserved, or an EQUIVALENT or larger vehicle, will be available at the time and location you selected." How is a 15' van EQUIVALENT to a 26' box truck. Their guarantee is worthless. **** Do not use Penske. *****

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

3 weeks ago a Penske truck in Bellingham, Ma. Wiped out our mailboxes and a large rock displaced. Called mitigation group and got the individual to speak with. I called, I emailed and no return call. I sent one email return receipt, and they read the email but did not call me. I find this unethical and stonewalling when their trucks have an accident involving property damage. I have all the pictures but they won't return my call. There's nothing more frustrating than being ignored by a company that obviously doesn't care about safety or others. They shirk their responsibility with valid claims.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I had my move planned for two months and on the day to leave the trailer was missing the support bar where the straps wrap around the front tires. How did this pass inspection? I have pictures to prove, and I don't plan on returning.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Booked a cargo van rental for taking daughter to college with apartment furnishings. When I arrived for pickup on morning of the move, they said they said I had to take a much larger box truck two categories higher than the van size I needed. They didn’t notify me in advance of this surprise, despite sending multiple other emails confirming my order. This made my move more work to secure things in all the extra space, and more costly in fuel cost over the 300 miles, and more dangerous for me and others on the road.

Penske relies on a legal disclaimer in their online terms which says if the truck you book is unavailable they reserve the right to stick you with a bigger one. Based on prior experiences where the same thing occurred, Penske seems to disregard the customer’s needs and safety in exchange for Penske’s business convenience. And despite having a sophisticated online booking system with automated email updates, they choose not to notify you in advance of such unpleasant surprise changes. Shameful.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Penske Truck Rental Company Information

Penske
        www.penske.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: