Penske Truck Rental

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Rented a truck and car hauler from a CO Penske site for a move to CA. Truck and trailer looked to be in good condition so I checked out and drove away. After loading the truck and car I took off on my 2 day journey to CA. Was 2 hours into the move and the front steer tire blew up and shredded. Fortunately for me I was climbing a steep grade in UT and the truck was grossly under powered so couldn't top more than 30MPH when the tire blew almost ripping my arm off trying to control it to the side of the road.

Upon inspection of the tire I noticed that the tread on the both tires was non-existent and the steel belts were showing through almost the entire circumference of both tires. Clearly a DOT violation at least in the CDL world. Had I been descending a grade I am positive I would not have been able to control the truck and trailer and would have crashed. Can't help but wonder what liability Penske has for allowing a vehicle to dispatch with such a clear safety violation as any CDL vehicle would have been cited and forced to park had an inspection occurred by a highway patrol or scale location.

The inspection sticker was several years out of date as well which also makes me wonder if they are following the DOT requirements. I will be reaching out to my DOT contacts and possibly pursuing legal action to the negligence on their part for allowing a vehicle to dispatch with such a blatant safety issue. On a positive note the 24/7 line was quick to help and the company they dispatched to fix the tire was top notch.

This truck almost kill me today on 465S in Indianapolis today 28th June 2017 around 10:15am as a result of his inexperience. The driver is not operating the truck in a safe manner. He need to be cautioned before he assassinate all road users. I call the company to make a complaint, I was told by the agent to call the police because there's nothing she can do when such a thing happen. Really, that's awful... If I have been killed in this incident I bet the killer driver would not live to see the next hour that's what I know for sure. I always use all caution while am driving my car while I also obey all traffic rules. Only God Almighty knows the state that grant this idiotic killer driver his CDL. I will not hesitate to share the pics with families and friends for them to be careful when next they see this killer on the road. He is dangerous to the society and there's a special place for such a person since the employers also display a high level unprofessionalism.

I rented a Truck in Arlington, VA. 1-800 was great. In location person very knowledgeable but, things went south from there. Penske advertises Trucks full and ready to go. Upon pickup 22 ft truck wasn't ready so I got a 26 and DEF fluid was below 1/4 of a tank. Fuel wasn't full either. Truck broke down in NM. Things happen but, the location took forever for diagnostics and they determined that the truck could be fixed. Load change to another truck was a disaster. They hired another company which were not professionals at all. That stacked heavy items on small items. On top of that they wanted me to sign a form to relate liability for moving the items. We ended up doing it ourselves.

Truck they gave us required 4 fill ups in a day as opposed to the other truck which was once a day increase the cost of fuel which we booked with Penske because of the newer trucks and diesel fuel. Have contacted Penske to make it right on 6/21, 6/22, 6/24 and 6/26. Was promised phone call back from Roger and Roger has yet to return it. This would be my second bad experience with Penske. Pick another company.

On May 31st at the Las Vegas Hacienda location an employee named Morgan assist me in getting my rental truck and car dolly. I did the paperwork and he put the dolly attach to the rental truck. Then he told me to drive my car onto the dolly. Morgan strapped on my car himself which I witness (not using the chains to strap on) and check out the straps and told me we were good to go. So my journey was to get from Las Vegas to St. Louis, MO in one piece. What happens next is shocking.

Once I got to Hays, Kansas I was pumping gas and my car was attach. An hour and half later in Salina, KS I get out and my car vanished. So I made some phone calls including the Kansas State Troopers and they tell me it fell off at a bridge 14 miles off of Hays and that the autobody shop tow it to their location. I called the autobody shop but it was closing time so had to wait till the next day. I also call Penske roadside service to file a claim on their end.

The next day I go to the Salina Penske and they inspect the dolly which was in good shape. I tell them what happen and they told me that the Penske in Las Vegas was suppose to give me a video, manual and that it was my responsibility to hook up my car which in Vegas they never did and took it upon themselves to hook it up. After going to the Penske in Salina and finally learning how to hook up my car by them describing how, I drove 93 miles backwards to the autobody shop in Hays Kansas and was lucky it was still driveable and that the damages which now amount to over $6000 were on the outer surface of my car. I after paying the impound fee got my car on the dolly and not only strap it but chain it up also and that day on 3 hour later drove all the way to St. Louis.

Once I got in St. Louis, started not only trying to get estimates on my car but it was hell in some ways trying to get a hold of the district manager of Penske to talk to us, but we did. We also called Penske's claim department and told them bit by bit what happened. After a week later Penske finally got their adjuster to come out to inspect my car. Also by this time the one who originally was suppose to handle the claim got in touch with us. We email back and forth and show him documentation of the estimate and other cost associate with my car. The trouble was when I got back into St. Louis I need my car for work, not to just drive for work but it was suppose to be use as what I needed to work so I was without making money.

So to fast forward today on 6/19/17 I had a long chat with the person who was handling the Penske claim and it didn't go in my favor, in fact the complete opposite. The Penske employee named Morgan confess based on Penske he didn't not strap on my car when in fact he did. Morgan also did not tell me about the video or manual. Morgan took it upon himself to strap on the car himself. Now I am finding out if the Penske place in Vegas has a camera there both in front of their store and inside to document this situation to show proof he did as I said. When your Penske employee lies that's not a good sign. Either he forgot or is saving face from losing his job or doesn't want to get demoted. Either case I am getting screwed from his lie.

Also the person who was handling Penske claim said that nothing happen for the first 1100 miles of my drive but then falls off in Kansas. I did not touch the Penske dolly the whole time nor was I told by Morgan to check the straps either at when he strap on the car. The only thing I did when I was park at a motel was get in my car to get the keys out since it was in neutral and couldn't do so when it in this position, so every evening when I was parked put my car in park and took the keys out but never touch the dolly. In the morning I would put the keys back in and put car in neutral.

I am truly so piss off of this situation. I would think Penske with all that I have shown would help me out better but they let me rot in the dust. I wish Penske would train their employees efficiently because this is not right on their part and that I should get compensated as a result. One very unsatisfied customer indeed.

Reserved the truck online, very easy to do. We did purchase the additional insurance. We chose very convenient pickup and dropoff locations, as this was a 1-way rental, from NJ to FL. The truck was brand new, easy to load and no mechanical issues for our 1000+ mile trip. If we ever need to rent a truck again, Penske will be our choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

I rented a small truck for a one way haul for some couches on April 14, 2017. We picked it up at a Home Depot location and it was filthy. We also were charged a $100 deposit, which we were never told about. I even went back to the website and my reservation confirmation email, there is nowhere even in the fine print, that states you will be charged a deposit. U-Haul places a hold on your account and only charges you when it is dropped off. They charged me over $200 for a 30 mile trip. I had the truck for a three day rental a returned it on April 15th, the drop off location was closed that Saturday, probably because it was Easter weekend. I called Penske the following Monday asking about the refund of my deposit. They said it would take 14-21 business days to refund to my debit card. It never did, so I called them again, and they said they were sending a check. Which was funny because I never gave them an address before. Red flag.

I called every week since. I have been getting the runaround every Friday that a check has been sent. I have emailed, live chatted and requested a corporate number so I can talk to someone in charge. They gave me a corporate call center. I Call Center. That can't do anything, they don't even communicate with one another. I talked to someone named Jeremy who told me he was the call center's supervisor. He constantly shut me down and would not let me speak. He said it did not matter what happened to me before I spoke to him, that I had HIS WORD that he would send a check via FedEx. That was two weeks ago, so I assume it's on an island somewhere with Tom Hanks, because I still don't have it.

I called them again, today and got the same damn runaround and that no record of a check had been mailed. I am at my wit's end. I only used them to save $14 using my AAA card, so obviously if I used them to save $14 the $100 is a whole lot more important to me and my kids? This company is a scam. I wish I had done more research but seriously it's a rental truck I didn't think I would need to. It should be pretty cut and dry. It has been a stressful irritating 7 weeks. I just want my refund, is that too much to ask? And to stop being lied to. Has anyone ever actually gotten their money back? Or is this company a complete scam?

My experience with this company has been less than ideal, after a purchase of a truck with Penske. I purchased the truck with a Standard warranty of roughly $2,000.00 USD; while I know that any "pre-existing conditions" are not covered under warranty, Penske should have taken responsibility for the Truck I was sold. I had to take the truck to the manufacturer for repairs of said "pre-existing conditions". Penske at this point said they would no longer take the truck back for repairs.

After a back and forth (mainly one-sided) correspondence with Penske representatives, no proper resolution has been made. Their final answer has been that I should have read the fine print in the warranty; although after thoroughly reading the warranty there is no mention of fault on my end. I have recently received a check from them that covers approximately 1.3% of my troubles; which makes me neither happy nor convinced that they are taking my complaint seriously. To make matters worse I just received an invoice for all the damages in said truck totaling $5,200.

I had the worse experience with Penske on 5/7/17!! Let me start at the beginning. I rented a 22 foot truck going long distance and when I left the place, the truck immediately was losing power and shaking. I turned back around to the location in Greensboro North Carolina to inform the guy this was happening. He tells me this is normal for a diesel vehicle, not knowing that I have a CDL and I have drove commercial vehicles that require diesel fuel and this is not normal!!! But he is adamant that it has to do with diesel and once I get going and driving at a higher speed this should not continue. So I proceeded (which I should not have BIG MISTAKE) to my POD to load the 22 foot Penske truck. It still did the same thing, the truck was losing power and it was shaking.

I called customer service to inform them of the situation, at this point I'm in Virginia. I have to wait for a service guy to come out which I was told would take 70 minutes which ended up being longer than that. The service guy/mechanic gets there, I ask "Are you going to get in or drive the truck so you can see it's losing power and shaking?" He informs me that no he will just follow me and he should be able to tell that I'm losing power and the speed it drops to!! Now I'm not a rocket scientist and I wasn't born yesterday but driving behind me you can actually tell the exact speed that it drops to, losing power and the vehicle shaking, THAT'S BS!! Why the mechanic did not get into the vehicle. I don't know but he proceeds to tell me that his shop is only 8 miles up the road, while I've been sitting here for over 70 minutes waiting and your shop is 8 miles up the road. What the hell!!!

Get to the shop he still never drives the truck, all he did is hook it up to a little black box and says "Oh, nothing showed up and let me call Penske to see what they want me to do." He says Penske said just get back on the road, REALLY even though the truck is losing power and is shaking and I'm driving long distance from NC to Ohio with a 22 foot truck through the mountains!! To top it off the mechanic tells me all of this is NORMAL for these type of trucks to lose power, down to 45 mph which is a bunch of BS!! So I get back on the road and the truck still continues to shake and lose power throughout the whole trip.

I called back customer service to let them know I am still having a problem with this truck and it's a hazard and dangerous when you have a flow of traffic that at some point going 65 mph to 70 mph and all of a sudden the truck am in loses power and it starts to drop to 40-45 mph. The guy on the phone tells me well I could pull over again and wait for service guy to come out, I don't have this it do, to be told more BS!!! No thank you!! This trip was supposed to be seven hours, this trip took over 10 hours!! Ridiculous and unacceptable. So I guess since I'm a female and I'm telling you the truck is losing power they don't seem to take it serious and think it's a big deal!!!

I finally made it to Ohio, by the grace of God!!! I call Penske on 5/6/17, to explain the horrible experience that I had driving long distance with your truck!! The guy of course apologizes because when you're providing customer service that's the protocol. But didn't seem to get that I should be compensated in some way for the inconvenience. Keep in mind I have rented trucks several times from Penske and didn't have any problems!! He says, "Well I could take off $75.00, which is taking off 25% since you already received 22% off having AAA/using a code off-line!!" Wait a minute, this was with no issues, no problems and no inconvenience!!! So to me this was the ultimate slap in the face your 25%!!!

Then he kept asking me, "Well what do you think is fair?", so I threw it back on him, "What do you think is fair if this was someone you knew, a family member or yourself that experience this, what would you do???" He says "Well I can take off another $25 which is a total of $100 being taken off!!!" Then he asked "Well is this fair?" It's not a question if it's fair, the question is what is the right thing to do if someone has experience something like this!! I get things happen but for Penske to downplay the situation and the severity of a truck losing power, is unacceptable.

The bottom line is Penske YOU DROP THE BALL!!!! If I could have had another company bring me a truck, I would have gladly unloaded the Penske truck and left it on the side of the road, this is how bad the truck was driving!!! I am leaving this comment/review because I do not want, (especially a female) to go through or anyone else renting a truck, especially long-distance, to experience this. I will NEVER USE PENSKE TRUCK RENTAL AGAIN!!!! Terrible experience.

I purchased a company that unfortunately leased Penske trucks and trailers. Penske will only lease to you if they can draw the payments directly from your account (ACH) so they can charge you anything they want for "damage". I have been around the truck and equipment business for 25 years and one thing I have learned is that trucks break. It just happens but to Penske everything is damage. I just had a truck break a drive shaft. The truck is an automatic and was on dry roads. We were hauling 47,000lbs. Well within the 80,000 gross the equipment is rated when the truck shifted into 3rd gear it broke. To me and all the truck shops that I talked to this just happens but to Penske it is damage due driver error.

Michelle ** the operations manager for Penske Reading lied to me and said my driver told her he was stuck in a snow bank. When I called her out on the lie she admitted that she lied and that she just heard being stuck can break a drive shaft then they tried to take 2,000 from my account for that repair. The trailers are about 9 years old and the wood floors are starting to rot but to Penske their wood never rots (if I had the secret to this I would sell it and be a very rich man) so everything that happens to them is damage.

They told me that they have an "expert" look at it and it's damage when we get a hole in the floor because we overloaded it. I can guarantee that expert has never seen any of my loads or has any idea as to how much we haul. So I stopped the ACH payment and sent them a check for the legitimate amount but that is not good enough so they sent District Manager Brian ** to threaten me that I am in breach of the contract and their attorney will attack me.

Never again will I rent Penske. I chose to use them because I thought they had more reliable equipment than Uhaul. I have used Uhaul 5 times in the past 6 years and never had this many issues no matter how minute. I had to drive 4 1/2 hours with no damn A/C. When I roll down the windows I have someone else's trash, cig butts, coffee cups blow around. No wash fluid. Inspection done wrong and incomplete.

I contact district office and all they want to comp is cleaning fee of 30$ because they say they can’t prove the things were wrong. I said, "Can't you call the Home depot and verify the A/C is not working." They said, "No, it would have needed to be shown on the inspection report that you already stated was incorrect from the LA Home Depot." I cannot believe this garbage I have to eat the cost of this because the Home Depot didn't do their damn job. Save yourself time, energy, comfort, and money (because Penske costs A LOT more) and rent Uhaul.

I've rented a truck for one day and made sure I filled the gas to the top before return. The company charged me $407 and charge for refueling. I showed them the receipt and said they would credit me, and week later I still don't see any credit. I see why customer don't have anything positive to say.

I'm an independent trucker and last week my truck broke down. I had to rent a commercial truck tractor to complete the delivery of the load I was hauling. I called the Penske office in Pensacola, Fl. and after making sure that my truck's towing and repairs were properly scheduled, I went to the Penske location to get the rental. Because it was my first time renting a commercial truck from them, I had to leave a deposit of $5000.00 over and above the cost of the rental. Four days later I returned the rental to their location in Mobile, Al. which is where my truck was towed for repairs. I had to check in to a hotel until it was fixed, and I was relying on the $5000.00 deposit being returned to my account so I could pay for my repairs when they were completed.

A couple of days passed with no reimbursement so I called the Mobile office and they explained it would take a few days to process, and I would see the funds returned by then. I waited four days with no refund and started calling both offices for an answer. Now I was told a check would be mailed to my residence and I should see it in the mail in a few days. I asked why they didn't just return it to my account and was told this is their procedure. That's not what I was told initially! This sounded like a stall tactic to me so I decided to call their corporate office in Reading, Pa. I told them my story and they said it had to be handled by the original office in Pensacola. So they weren't very helpful. At that point I was convinced that they were going to hold onto my deposit for as long as possible.

I know this situation probably only applies to commercial rentals, and the average consumer may not need to leave a deposit. But just because I own my equipment doesn't mean I'm made of money. That deposit put a massive strain on my being able to pay for operating expenses and the repairs to my truck. Small business that are close to the edge of losing their business, can be pushed over the edge by situations like this. I hope I never find myself in this position again. If I do, at least I wouldn't be a first time commercial renter with Penske and wouldn't be subjected to the deposit, but I would caution anyone else to expect waiting for your reimbursement a long time. And maybe shop around for a company that doesn't have that policy.

Three weeks ago I purchased a used 26' reefer truck from Penske from their Miami/Medley office. The process was supposed to take 10-14 days. It took over a month a half. When I asked what the delay was they kept giving me excuse after excuse. I inspected the truck and found minor damages that they fixed. I used the truck locally for over 2 weeks and it was running fine. On my first trip away from Miami, I was traveling to Orlando, Florida, the truck broke down and would not start. I had to tow the truck to a repair shop were they informed me that the DPF filter was too clogged and the regen system could not work properly. They informed me that this filter gets clogged around 280k-300k miles. My truck has 304k miles. He said it had not regened properly in quite a while.

I remember asking the maintenance supervisor Robert what the delay was in getting me the truck because I noticed a weird smell like fumes when I went to inspect the truck. He said nothing was wrong and that I picked a great truck since this one DID NOT HAVE A DPF SYSTEM. I truly believe that they were aware of the damage to the DPF filter. Penske says they are not responsible because it's been over 2 weeks since the purchase date. The repair cost is over 3k plus I'm already out almost 1k between the tow and the cost of being broken down in the middle of nowhere. Use them for rentals but for purchases beware! I purchased from Penske because they offer maintenance records and have their own shops and are supposed to be reliable. At the end of the day they should be considered as any other truck dealership, they need to sell trucks and will screw you if possible!

My sister rented a truck from a Penske agent on ward rd. In Arvada, Co for me to drive her belongings to Virginia. We began our trip and before we made our first fuel stop we had three warning lights and a message saying warn engine. After my sister and I agreed with Penske to drive to Salina Kansas over 200 miles where we would stop for the night and they had a mechanic. We pulled into Salina about 11pm and fueled up again. When we started the truck it said stop engine with all the same lights on. The truck had just enough power to pull out of the way at the gas station. Penske sent a runner about 11:30pm to take us to our hotel. We saw the mechanic before we went to the hotel and it was agreed with the mechanic that he would drop off the keys at the front desk when the repairs were completed.

At 7am my sister picked up the keys at the front desk and we drove just far enough to get stranded on the side of the highway about 15 minutes out. After a phone call to Penske they said the mechanic wasn't done with repairs, so why did he leave the keys at the front desk without even a note. We waited on the edge of the highway in Kansas for repairs a little over an hour. We got back on the road all the lights were off so we were excited to get this behind us and finish our drive. We made it to Kentucky before the same warning lights were back on. We once again agreed with Penske to drive to our hotel that we had booked in Tennessee.

We made it there and the mechanic that came out said it would have to go to the Penske shop. In the morning we took the truck to be repaired, three hours later it was ready to roll. We left for Virginia to finish the last leg of the trip. It wasn't too long before the same lights came on the dash. We finished our trip thankfully. When Penske got their truck to the shop they said we filled up the def tank with diesel fuel. We never touched the def and besides the diesel nozzle is bigger than the def filler hole. You'd have to be a half wit or less to make that happen.

Long story short Penske is calling us liars saying that we put the diesel fuel in the def tank and the repairs are on us unless we can prove it wasn't us that put the diesel in the def. They are unwilling to investigate the true reason the diesel was in the def. They just want to pin the repairs on somebody because it's easier to close it this way than to know the real reason. Penske found their scapegoat now they don't have to care about their small customers. Penske is threatening to ruin my sister's credit because they are going to send this matter to collections.

Penske is an unscrupulous company. I don't know how they're still in business obviously not because of their support for the little guy. What happened to customer service? I will take every avenue to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. Unfortunately I doubt I'll even have an impact, if I could save just one person from the crap Penske has put us through then it's worth it.

Rented 12 inch truck keep getting 16 inch truck that couldn't run. I am wanting my money back from my last 2 purchase on truck rental in Indianapolis location. Truck was aligned wheel. Truck ran very horrible and when I drop truck off me and staff the member at location in 37211 on Nolensville Rd. didn't a receipt from purchase, was very rude and was serving friends in front of staff not providing correct customer service. I want my money back from that horrible service. I spent over $1,500 for those service.

We would typically handle this situation the correct way by contacting Penske directly and speaking with management, but it is not possible to find those direct numbers, so here we are putting this out there for the whole world to view. We own a local moving company in the Central Florida area and we actually have a commercial account with Penske that has spanned several years. We're not Penske's largest account by any means, but we have used them often and had established some fairly reasonable commercial pricing.

On December 23rd, 2016 we were in Daytona Beach on a big job when we realized that we needed an additional vehicle to transfer some items 60-70 miles back to our home base of Orlando, so we were in search of a small 17' truck early that morning. After checking with a few different places and Penske competitors we came upon a corporate Penske owned shop that was open early and requested pricing. At this point in time we were desperate to find a vehicle and this location had one that was available right then, which was great. What wasn't great was the PRIDE the rental agent took in sticking us with a $600.00 bill to transfer this truck 60 miles for a one day rental. We attempted to explain that we were a commercial customer and had an account with them but this lady was bound and determined to stick it to us 2 days before Christmas and there was no negotiating with her.

We accepted the vehicle because we had no choice at this point, but we left their property with a nasty taste in our mouths and the realization that we had just gotten completely price gouged... Again, 2 days before Christmas! Way to stick it to a returning customer Penske! We will not be renting from Penske ever again because we don't do business with scammers!!

Rented a truck from them and got down the road and had a flat. Turns out Penske left a foreign object in the tire and didn't replace it. We then were responsible for replacing a 600.00+++ tire that they failed to fix earlier. They will stick it to you!! They say their calls are recorded but cannot verify information I was told to do. Was told to return the old tire by their roadside assistance and we did so along with someone signing for it. They also require you to return the semi truck back to where you rented it unlike some other rental companies. Therefore you must drive hundreds of miles to return it and are out hundreds of dollars more on the rental.

Truck was refilled, 1/4 a mile away from dropoff Penske. We were charged additional $32.58 on credit card. Called, and you don't just fill it till it's auto shut off, it has to be till you see gas, or it's not considered full!!! At $10 per gallon they charge to top it off, BE AWARE. Upon quote, was told they had plenty of free rope at p/u point. It's not free! Now, knowing that, I will use Penske if a truck is needed again. Great customer service, good price, unlimited miles, their rental is for a 2 day compared to other companies 1 day quote. Had an reservation with Budget made a week earlier, had email confirmation. Called the day before to find out what time p/u location opened, just to find out, they did not have my truck and would not for a week. Was told several people in same situation. They did not even warn me, I just happened to call the day before. Budget obviously does not guarantee.

Last time I will use PENSKE. This location is a bunch of thief. I booked a 16' online for four day and was quoted ~$249 on PENSKE website. When I arrived to pick up they stated it was $319 +.79 per mile. After returning it is thought all was good until 3 weeks down the road I was never refunded my deposit. When I came to the store to confront them about it they said it was because we had to charge you $25 to clean, $8 for environmental fee, $8 for licensing recovery, and $194.40 IN GAS!!!

I know that we cleaned the vehicle out it if anything there were maybe a bottle of monster or two and some dirt in the carpet which is normal use... as for the gas I know we did refuel the truck so if anything there were maybe a few gallon from fuel spent from driving to return it. But still $194.40 is crazy when gas is only $2.19 a gallon. All in all I was charged $425 over the actual cost. To top it off these guys were rude and just seem crooked. I've used PENSKE for years because they support Veterans but no more.

I have now used this company 3 times. Each time I was a wreck from the pressures of moving. Every time they fixed whatever problem I had, came up with creative solutions and were patient and kind with my nervous behavior. They will be my truck people for every move I make. It was a wonderful experience.

I had rented the Penske 26' truck before reading the reviews so I was horrified to start off. I found the staff in Apple Valley, CA very helpful. The truck was almost new with only 16000 miles. It weighed in at 37000 lbs total and I was pulling our small 2000 lb camper. I headed west from CA on I-40 and from there to Winslow, AZ averaged 7 mpg (my MPG is all calculated). I knew that route would be tough on the MPG for obvious reasons. My next fill up was around Amarillo and we averaged 11 MPG. I was ecstatic. I am a big fan of the Cummins diesel and this rig was powered by the Cummins 6.7. It was a little slow going up the grades in AZ and western NM but from Winslow east it was a breeze. The driver’s seat isn't real comfortable but I am used to driving like I am sitting in my La-Z-Boy at home.

Don't know about the passenger’s seat. The ride was comfortable enough as far as road conditions and noise goes. The cruise control was a definite plus. I-40 through AZ can be very rough. Depends on whether you are in the left or right lane much of the time. So... so far as a moving experience goes the truck and Penske crew were right on.

This is a very deceptive company. First, keep in mind Penske is acting here as a broker only. They are using their name only to get you to agree to pay them hundreds of dollars in brokerage fees to hire some small time moving company to move your furniture. They will quote you a low ball estimate based on a square footage estimate of the items you are moving. It is extremely unlikely that this estimate will be what you will end up paying. Once you agree to the broker/booking fee they will keep the money within a few days of booking, even if you decide to use another company later.

The company that Penske used was called Most Valuable Movers, based out of New Jersey. I cannot say enough bad things about my experience with this company. They told me they would show up in the early afternoon. They didn't show up till 7 pm that evening and worked till 2 am loading furniture. After the truck was 3/4 loaded I was told I would have to pay several hundred dollars more than my estimate to load all the furniture I had mentioned in the estimate. I had no choice at this point but to not ship some furniture I had originally counted on shipping.

I was told in writing that it would take 7-10 days to get the furniture shipped to its destination 2000 miles away. After waiting nearly a month I was told that what I was given in writing by the driver/loader was wrong and that the company had the right to ship my furniture within a month. When the furniture arrived several pieces were missing and damaged. I was told I could file a claim for partial reimbursement of the estimated value.

What I later found out was that 3 separate companies were involved in the move, The first "Most Valuable Movers" loaded my furniture and transported it to their warehouse in New Jersey from Boston. The second, reloaded it into their truck and transported it to Colorado. The third reloaded it into their truck and delivered it locally to Durango Co. During this process, various pieces of furniture will inevitably get damaged and misplaced. Again. Don't be deceived by the name. Penske only wants a booking fee from you and they will low ball you with an estimate just to collect that fee. Once they do you're at the mercy of smaller companies like Most Valuable Movers who have awful reviews and who reserve the right to charge you much more than what Penske quoted you upfront once your furniture is loaded.

I recently bought a 26 ft. box truck from Penske for $23750.00. I wish I had looked into reviews from other people first as I usually do with other products. I didn't because I trusted Penske. I had problems from the beginning with it not starting, problems with the pollution control device, which they did repair free of charge. The problems continued almost every time I took the truck out. Finally within 3 months it started using a lot of oil, they said to get an estimate of what the problem is and they would see if they could help repair it.

My mechanic said the engine needed rebuilt, to the tune of 13,00.00 dollars, that oil had been blowing around the valves for quite some time. When I purchased the truck they assured me they go over them to make sure there are no issues. One of their employees who was trying to talk me into a maintenance program, told me they sell their highest maintenance per mile vehicles. I believe Penske sells trucks they know have design and mechanical issues. Never again, buyer beware.

I bought 16 foot box truck from Penske in july 1, 2016. I used that truck not even 1000 mile and suddenly drive shaft was broken. I called them but they refused to help. It looks like "you buy you die". I spent $3700 for repair. My mechanic said whole rear end was broken, they didn't even change rear breaking pads. So it was not a new problem or because you used about 1000 miles. That problem is from the very beginning. Penske don't really check their trucks before they sell them he said. On the other hand they usually sell lemons to people. They didn't even ask me if I would take extended warranty, they gave only 15 days as warranty. Now I am looking for a good lawyer for helping me. Now I am telling everybody do not buy from Penske. Does anybody advise me a good lawyer in new york city? Thanks.

Let me begin this review by stating that, overall, my experience with Penske was fairly favorable. The moving truck that I reserved and ultimately used was in great condition. However, the trailer that I used to tow my car from Maryland to Houston, Texas was subpar. While my brother and I were trying to figure out how to hook the tires straps onto the front wheels of the car, I noticed, written in yellow paint just above the right rear trailer tires, the words "flat tire". I didn't think much of it because we were already behind schedule with leaving to begin the trip. However, we didn't get any further than Interstate 295 just before the BWI airport exit before my other travel partner urged me to pull off the road because he noticed something weird with that same tire that had the yellow words written above it. Needless to say, when we pulled off the highway and onto the shoulder, the tire was shredded. So, I proceeded to call their roadside assistance.

The representative was very helpful and I was told it could take up to about 2 hours before a technician would be able to come to where we were. However, it only took about 45 minutes before the guy showed up. Here comes the fun part: once the roadside assistance guy took the wheel off of the trailer, not only was the wheel and tire loose, the rotor wasn't even secure on the rear hub. And, upon further inspection, there wasn't even a brake pad in the rear brake caliper!!! I also noticed that that same tire was rubbing up against the inside of the trailer frame (there was a clearly visible black groove where the tire was rubbing against the trailer) and I could hear a grinding sound whenever I made a turn to the right but I couldn't figure out from where the noise was coming... until this incident.

Not only was my and my passengers' lives in danger, also the lives of other drivers near us were at risk of being lost due to Penske's poor equipment maintenance practices. Because of this gross oversight on Penske's part, they arranged for a replacement trailer to be delivered to where we were. The second technician who came out was thorough and professional with his service and in about an hour to an hour and a half, we were on our way back on our journey. However, at this point we were already about 4 hours behind schedule. I don't mind that, in the grand scheme of things, because our lives were spared solely by the grace of God.

After that, the trip went off without a hitch. That is, until it was time to return the equipment. When my brother attempted to re-hook the trailer onto the truck, the trailer jack that's used to line it up to the truck's level no longer worked. So, once again, I had to call the roadside assistance line. I was told that the driver was about 15 minutes away but it took him more than an hour and a half to get to my location. Not sure why that is but anyway... within a few minutes of his arrival, the driver was able to not only lift but also secure the trailer back onto the truck. After he was done, he gave me the address to where I was supposed to drop the truck and trailer off, which was different from the address in the contract. I was okay with that because technically, it was closer to my current location. So, we finally dropped the truck and trailer off at the main Hub in Houston and were on our way.

However, when I went to check my bank account for a completely different reason, I noticed a $160+ charge from Penske. I quickly got them on the phone after making the startling discovery and learned that, because I dropped the equipment off later than the original agreement, even though I explicitly expressed to the roadside assistance rep the issues that I was facing w/ the equipment and largely due to no fault of my own, I was charged an extra day. When I explained this discrepancy to that particular location's manager, he was quick to provide a viable solution, which included an approximately $135 refund.

While I made it safely to Houston, I'm very displeased with the quality of the equipment that I received and would like to speak to someone from corporate about this situation. Because, as previously stated, my life was at great risk and in a largely avoidable way that was clearly due to gross negligence on the part of the person who's responsible for inspecting the equipment BEFORE it's rented. Because of Penske's fairly rapid response time to equipment issues, I might consider renting from them again for any future, larger scale moves.

As I write this review I am in tears. My fiancé is driving a 26' truck with a car trailer and 3 dogs from Puyallup, WA to Mississippi with everything we own in it and the truck runs awful! He has been driving for 2 and a half days and he is still in California. They sent someone out to him yesterday and he changed the fuel filters and said it was fine but it's not. So today they had him drive an hour of course to their facility and changed a forgotten third fuel filter and said it was fine but that it was overweight.

No one ever told us that we should weigh it! For that matter no one even told us how to drive it and it is HUGE! They asked us how many rooms we were packing and what kind of car we were towing and they recommended this setup, so we rented it. I'm sure the people at the rental facility were just following protocol. Penske would rent these to anyone with a license and a credit card (not even sure about the credit card). We expected them to be the experts and followed their advice. We were a little alarmed at the size of the truck with no (at least) brief training. There are a million dash lights, air brakes, etc. The truck is misfiring and shaking, but mostly only until it drops below 3/4 of a tank of diesel. This sure seems like a truck engine issue. Why only when it is full of diesel???

A very nice customer service girl at Penske tried to help us, but they are not allowed to think outside the box! The only solution we were offered was to rent a second truck (at a discount) and hire someone to drive it to Mississippi. What??? Really??? I asked if we could park the truck at one of their yards, drop the car, return the car trailer and drive the car to Mississippi and fly back for the truck (which should not be overweight anymore) and they could not do that for us.

So, he is driving this truck the way it is. I am a wreck, so is he I think, the dogs will be in the cab of that truck for many extra days due to the travel time and then they will most likely charge us for the extra days. If it even makes it! I called several places and talked to diesel mechanics and they all said that that truck should not be running like that even overweight. People evidently drive them a lot more overloaded than that! I didn't even mention about how they didn't have the hand truck or 42 packing pads we ordered and didn't tell us until we picked the truck up. I am very disappointed in Penske. We will never rent from them again and will tell everyone our story!

I reserved a 22 ft truck, 24 pads and a dolly, for a one way rental from North Carolina to Maryland. The night before my pickup day they called and told me they had no pads. I had to drive 1 hr to pick them up from another store the next morning. When I arrived to get the truck they told me they only had a 26 ft truck. I didn't want a larger truck since I'd have to pay for the extra gas. When I accepted the larger truck, since I had no choice, I loaded it and found out, when it started raining, that the windshield wipers were crap.

I could hardly see and had to drive 40 mph when it rained, which it did for most of the 8 hr drive. In addition the seat was so worn out it tilted at a 30 degree angle and killed my back. When I unloaded the truck I found out the van roof had leaked water on my teak furniture and mattresses. I told all this to the Home Depot folks when I dropped it off. I complained on the survey I received by email from Penske. No response. Don't rent from Penske.

Glad I didn't read some of the poor reviews prior to renting a truck. I had to move my daughter from NYC to Philly. The truck was great and the service (thank you Jake) couldn't have been better. In and out in 10 minutes. Though the facility on 141st st. was out-of-the way for me, it was totally worth it.

Absolutely horrible customer service. Penske charged me on my credit card 2 months after we returned our moving truck. They provided no notification of this charge and were very unwilling to provide information. Penske truck rental is dishonest and they concoct charges to increase customers' bills unethically.

This is more of a FYI about Penske Truck Rental. I rented a 26 foot with a lift gate to move from So Ca. to Idaho Falls area, after checking pricing of a another truck rental co, and knowing there was NO drop off close to where I was moving too (2 hrs back to Logan Utah), and that it could carry 6000 lbs more than the "other company's truck" and with a lift gate I went with Penske. The truck was in good shape. The seat was comfortable for the drive. I knew that it was going to be a slower drive up there (in a car you can make it in about 12 hrs) but what I did not know was how slow it was going to be! Being fair it did have a good load going, the part that I did not know was, going up any hill over 2% grade and of any length was a SLOW ride. It took 18 hrs to go 950 miles that is a 52.75 MPH avg and it did get about 7 to 8 MPG so about every 4 hrs stop to fuel up and go at it again.

The Penske Truck Rental store here in San Diego people were very nice. The truck was ready the afternoon before the day I was rent it at no extra charge. In short there is no fast or cheap to move! Penske truck was slower than I thought but I have another very heavy load to take and I will use them again because self-moving trucks with lift gates are hard to come by when moving welding tables that weight 600 lbs and other very heavy stuff. O/A 3 1/2 stars.

Penske Truck Rental Company Profile