Penske Truck Rental

3.9/5 (452 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Penske Truck Rental

Penske Truck Rental rents trucks for local and long-distance self-moves in 49 states and Washington, D.C. Penske offers five truck sizes to fit moves of all sizes. Customers who drive themselves but still need help loading and unloading can request labor from a local moving company.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Discounts
    • Haul a car behind the truck
    • Transparent pricing

Cons

• No trailers, just trucks

Bottom Line

Penske is a good option to save on moving costs. Driving, loading and unloading a truck yourself requires more work than a full-service move, but it’s a more affordable moving solution.

Top Penske Truck Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Verified

Reserved the truck online, very easy to do. ... We chose very convenient pickup and dropoff locations, as this was a 1-way rental, from NJ to FL. The truck was brand new, easy to ...

Verified

Not a single issue with truck or trailer. ... So if you are looking to rent for a one way cross country, Penske is the way. I highly recommend for peace of mind and safety as thei...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Penske Truck Rental?

Penske Truck Rental offers five different sizes of trucks for people who want to move themselves. Local moves are affordable, and customers typically pick up and drop off the truck from the same location. Long-distance moves are one-way, so customers leave the truck at their destination city. Penske’s online quote process makes it easy to get an accurate price with all fees included.

Penske Truck Rental price

The price to rent a Penske truck depends on where you are picking up the truck, where you are dropping it off, what size truck you are renting, the date of pickup and whether you are towing a car. For an exact quote, visit Penske’s website and enter your information. Getting a quote only takes a few minutes.

Estimated Penske truck rental prices*

Example routeExample routeTrip detailsCost
    Houston to Dallas250 miles2-day rental$202
    Kansas City to Chicago500 miles5-day rental$814
    Los Angeles to Denver1,000 miles5-day rental$1,469
    Boston to Miami1,500 miles7-day rental$1,938
    Orlando to Seattle3,000 miles11-day rental$2,091

*All prices are for a 16-foot truck.

Penske Truck Rental moving services

Penske caters to two kinds of moves:

• Local moves: Same-city moves usually require customers to pick up and drop off the truck at the same location. Penske often adds a small per-mile charge to the base price for renting the truck.
    • Long-distance moves: These are also known as “one-way” moves. Customers pick up the truck in one city and drop it off at the destination after unloading it.

Penske has five options for truck size, which lets you choose the perfect size to fit your belongings. Penske also sells packing materials and rents hand trucks. Every move comes with roadside assistance. Customers also have the option to haul a car behind their truck.

Truck typeCapacity (cubic feet)Weight limit (pounds)Move size
    High-roof cargo van4043,500Studio apartment
    12-foot4503,100Studio or two rooms
    16-foot8004,300Studio to one-bedroom
    22-foot1,20010,000Medium-sized house
    26-foot1,70010,000Large house

Penske Truck Rental FAQ

Is Penske cheaper than U-Haul?
    Penske typically costs more than U-Haul, but prices vary by location. U-Haul has a cheaper 10-foot truck option that Penske doesn’t have. Comparing prices near you is the best way to know for sure which company is cheaper.
    Does Penske offer unlimited mileage?
    Yes, Penkse offers unlimited mileage on one-way truck rentals.
    How much is a Penske truck security deposit?
    Penske requires a $100 security deposit.
    Do Penske rental trucks need to stop at weigh stations?
    Penske encourages drivers to follow all road signs, including ones that signal to stop at weigh stations.
    Do you need a CDL for a Penske truck?
    Driving a 22- or 26-foot truck requires a commercial driver’s license. All other trucks do not require a CDL.

Is Penske Truck Rental worth it?

Renting a truck from Penske is worth it if you’re moving yourself and not hiring a professional transporter. It's generally affordable, and the process to reserve a truck online is straightforward. We also like that you can tow a car behind the rental truck — just keep in mind that loading, unloading and driving the truck require a lot of effort. For consumers willing to put in that effort to save money, a Penske truck rental is worth it.

Penske Truck Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske Truck Rental?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Original review: March 23, 2022

I reserved a truck a week ahead of actual date. Had confirmation from corporate. I called one day before actual rental date. They changed the confirmation and was going to be charged $100 more than the quoted confirmation agreement. I DO NOT RECOMMEND PENSKE FOR ANY SERVICES.

Original review: March 7, 2022

Penske used to be my "Go To" Rental Company as I never had problems in the past. This time, however, the truck broke down and put me five hours behind schedule. The man at the return place was very nice and said that I needed to call the corporate office and that they would probably give me a partial refund. The people at the corporate office passed me around, one after another each was horrible, every one of them passed the buck and even the supervisor who said that she was going to refund half my money, never actually did. If I could give negative stars I would, this was the single worst Rental experience of my life. Penske is no longer the company it used to be, and will never be my Go To truck again!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I returned moving truck with full tank of diesel. Put 31 gallons in tank ($121.91) before returning. Penske charged my card for 70 gallons of diesel at $8.00 per gallon...$560.00. I have been calling Penske for 3 days and keep getting the run around. I finally called my credit card provider and entered a dispute for the charge.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

We filled gasoline to full just before dropping it noting that the gas gauge was faulty and always showed 3/4 full. We were charged for gas at return when it was not possible to add gasoline to the tank. We explained the situation and requested the charge be removed. We were told to tell someone else. No one from Penske will talk to us and we are forced to deal with the matter with our credit card company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

This review is about Hermitage, Pennsylvania. You would have to be out of your mind to rent a Penske truck from these Home Depot people. We picked up a truck on a Sunday afternoon. The Home Depot staff had no idea what to do and were on hold with Penske for more than 20 minutes. The next morning, after the Home Depot staff was on the phone with Penske for at least another 20 minutes, we picked up a car trailer for that truck. The Home Depot staff refused to give us any assistance with hooking it up to the truck and getting the car onto it although the Penske brochure says its agents will help customers hook up the trailer. When, at our insistence, they brought us the brochure on how to hook up the trailer, they acted like they had never seen the brochure before and never been asked for one before.

Overnight, our reservation had mysteriously disappeared, so when we called Penske to complain about Home Depot, Penske said it had no record of us (even though, at that point, we had both the truck and the trailer). Penske wanted to give us about one-third off our bill because of our horrible experience with both their company and with Home Depot, but Home Depot refused to cooperate and we ended up having to pay the entire bill anyway since the charge was made by Home Depot and not by Penske.

When we were almost to our destination, we hit a deer. I called Penske's national customer service, and the lady was helpful overall. However, the next morning a repair guy simply showed up and started working on the truck, without either Penske or the repair guy informing us who he was or when he was coming--I just happened to notice a man working on the truck's front left fender. I cannot emphasize how terrible and absurd the entire experience was from start to finish.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

This company needs to have a better system. They cannot just let random reckless drivers just rent any of their trucks. I was in High way LIE and one of the trucks driven by 3 young kids almost caused me to have a huge accident. This driver was driving so far and switching between lines. Please don't just give your trucks to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

We showed up to our rental appointment at 8, and the truck was late so we didn’t leave in the truck until 8:56. Got home and started packing, then the rain started so we took a break. Went back to the truck and saw that the roof had leaked rain water all over our things. When I called, someone told me all the trucks leak so they couldn’t get me a replacement truck. There was at least a gallon or two of water by the time I was done with dealing with calling back and forth. I returned the truck that day to get a refund and went with another moving truck company that does NOT have leaky roofs.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Crooks!! I would give less than 1 star if possible. We rented a moving Van on June 24, 2021, from Boomer Services at 1210 N. Flood, Norman, Oklahoma. The original agreement was from 06/24/21 to 06/26/21. I returned the van earlier than required on June 25, 2021 and drove it for less than 100 miles. We paid the charges in full of $591.63 for the rental 06/24 to 06/25. I used the van for less than 24 hours one time. Since the return of the vehicle, my credit card has been charged for extra charges and for one week interval rentals several times. I received an extra charge of $927.09 on my credit charge on 07/02.

Penske changed the original rental to a week rental 06/24 to 07/01 for 150 miles again even though our agreement was to return the vehicle 06/26 and it was returned 06/25. I was then charged on July 12 for a rental from 07/08/21 to 07/15/21 for 150 miles for a total of $1518.72 and on July 17 for the same rental from 07/08/21 to 07/15/21 for another $1518.72. I later received another charge of $51.09 on 07/29/21 for an unknown reason. I was not in possession of the vehicle during these dates and did not authorize the use of my credit card at these times.

I have contacted Penske to no avail and my credit card company. These are fraudulent charges. I use the vehicle for less than 24 hours and now have been charged for a total of 3 full weeks of use above the less than 24 hours of actual use without my consent. I drove the vehicle for less than 100 miles and each statement shows I drove it exactly 150 miles every week and I picked up and returned the vehicle at exactly the same time as the original pickup. It shows I rented the exact same vehicle each time- unit # **. How could I rent the exact vehicle, pick up and return it exactly the same times and drive it exactly the same distance.

I paid what I owed, the original amount of $591.63 for less than 24 hours use of the van. I do not owe another 3 weeks of use. The bills show weekly billing cycles. I did not use or authorize any weekly billing. I am formally complaining and am planning to make my complaint public as much as possible. These charges are blatantly fraudulent.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Rented truck in Northern VA. By the time we got to Breezewood, PA, couldn’t stand the severe vibration any longer. Roadway tire service from TA arrived. Looks like all 6 tires need replacement? Balancing steer tires. Rear missing large chunks of rubber. Scheduled preventive maintenance overdue by 15k miles. So far, way behind schedule on trip. Not impressed w/ Penske.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Overpriced rentals. Like riding in a buckboard and the interior is filthy. Was double taxed on mileage and not refunded the proper amount. Disgusting experience. What more can I say. High priced and lousy unprofessional service.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Penske Truck Rental Company Information