Find a Movers partner

3.8/5 (128 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Penske Truck Rental

Penske Truck Rental rents trucks for local and long-distance self-moves in 49 states and Washington, D.C. Penske offers five truck sizes to fit moves of all sizes. Customers who drive themselves but still need help loading and unloading can request labor from a local moving company.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Discounts
    • Haul a car behind the truck
    • Transparent pricing

Cons

• No trailers, just trucks

Bottom Line

Penske is a good option to save on moving costs. Driving, loading and unloading a truck yourself requires more work than a full-service move, but it’s a more affordable moving solution.

Top Penske Truck Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Verified

Reserved the truck online, very easy to do. ... We chose very convenient pickup and dropoff locations, as this was a 1-way rental, from NJ to FL. The truck was brand new, easy to ...

Verified

Not a single issue with truck or trailer. ... So if you are looking to rent for a one way cross country, Penske is the way. I highly recommend for peace of mind and safety as thei...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Penske Truck Rental?

Penske Truck Rental offers five different sizes of trucks for people who want to move themselves. Local moves are affordable, and customers typically pick up and drop off the truck from the same location. Long-distance moves are one-way, so customers leave the truck at their destination city. Penske’s online quote process makes it easy to get an accurate price with all fees included.

Penske Truck Rental price

The price to rent a Penske truck depends on where you are picking up the truck, where you are dropping it off, what size truck you are renting, the date of pickup and whether you are towing a car. For an exact quote, visit Penske’s website and enter your information. Getting a quote only takes a few minutes.

Estimated Penske truck rental prices*

Example routeExample routeTrip detailsCost
    Houston to Dallas250 miles2-day rental$202
    Kansas City to Chicago500 miles5-day rental$814
    Los Angeles to Denver1,000 miles5-day rental$1,469
    Boston to Miami1,500 miles7-day rental$1,938
    Orlando to Seattle3,000 miles11-day rental$2,091

*All prices are for a 16-foot truck.

Penske Truck Rental moving services

Penske caters to two kinds of moves:

• Local moves: Same-city moves usually require customers to pick up and drop off the truck at the same location. Penske often adds a small per-mile charge to the base price for renting the truck.
    • Long-distance moves: These are also known as “one-way” moves. Customers pick up the truck in one city and drop it off at the destination after unloading it.

Penske has five options for truck size, which lets you choose the perfect size to fit your belongings. Penske also sells packing materials and rents hand trucks. Every move comes with roadside assistance. Customers also have the option to haul a car behind their truck.

Truck typeCapacity (cubic feet)Weight limit (pounds)Move size
    High-roof cargo van4043,500Studio apartment
    12-foot4503,100Studio or two rooms
    16-foot8004,300Studio to one-bedroom
    22-foot1,20010,000Medium-sized house
    26-foot1,70010,000Large house

Penske Truck Rental FAQ

Is Penske cheaper than U-Haul?
    Penske typically costs more than U-Haul, but prices vary by location. U-Haul has a cheaper 10-foot truck option that Penske doesn’t have. Comparing prices near you is the best way to know for sure which company is cheaper.
    Does Penske offer unlimited mileage?
    Yes, Penkse offers unlimited mileage on one-way truck rentals.
    How much is a Penske truck security deposit?
    Penske requires a $100 security deposit.
    Do Penske rental trucks need to stop at weigh stations?
    Penske encourages drivers to follow all road signs, including ones that signal to stop at weigh stations.
    Do you need a CDL for a Penske truck?
    Driving a 22- or 26-foot truck requires a commercial driver’s license. All other trucks do not require a CDL.

Is Penske Truck Rental worth it?

Renting a truck from Penske is worth it if you’re moving yourself and not hiring a professional transporter. It's generally affordable, and the process to reserve a truck online is straightforward. We also like that you can tow a car behind the rental truck — just keep in mind that loading, unloading and driving the truck require a lot of effort. For consumers willing to put in that effort to save money, a Penske truck rental is worth it.

Penske Truck Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske Truck Rental?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

Rented a 16 ft truck for our big move out of the post-COVID hellscape that is California. For that reason, along with every competing truck rental, prices were double on our one-way move to Idaho. Other than that, everything was pretty much as advertised. Reservation was fulfilled by a self-storage place, truck was practically brand-new with very low miles, and ran with no issues. A large dolly was provided, along with the requested furniture pads that were in new packaging. I actually ended up with more days on the rental than I needed, so I was able to use the truck to get a new washer and dryer into the house before returning it. Other than being bound by market rates, Penske delivered everything I wanted.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

Crooks!! I would give less than 1 star if possible. We rented a moving Van on June 24, 2021, from Boomer Services at 1210 N. Flood, Norman, Oklahoma. The original agreement was from 06/24/21 to 06/26/21. I returned the van earlier than required on June 25, 2021 and drove it for less than 100 miles. We paid the charges in full of $591.63 for the rental 06/24 to 06/25. I used the van for less than 24 hours one time. Since the return of the vehicle, my credit card has been charged for extra charges and for one week interval rentals several times. I received an extra charge of $927.09 on my credit charge on 07/02.

Penske changed the original rental to a week rental 06/24 to 07/01 for 150 miles again even though our agreement was to return the vehicle 06/26 and it was returned 06/25. I was then charged on July 12 for a rental from 07/08/21 to 07/15/21 for 150 miles for a total of $1518.72 and on July 17 for the same rental from 07/08/21 to 07/15/21 for another $1518.72. I later received another charge of $51.09 on 07/29/21 for an unknown reason. I was not in possession of the vehicle during these dates and did not authorize the use of my credit card at these times.

I have contacted Penske to no avail and my credit card company. These are fraudulent charges. I use the vehicle for less than 24 hours and now have been charged for a total of 3 full weeks of use above the less than 24 hours of actual use without my consent. I drove the vehicle for less than 100 miles and each statement shows I drove it exactly 150 miles every week and I picked up and returned the vehicle at exactly the same time as the original pickup. It shows I rented the exact same vehicle each time- unit # **. How could I rent the exact vehicle, pick up and return it exactly the same times and drive it exactly the same distance.

I paid what I owed, the original amount of $591.63 for less than 24 hours use of the van. I do not owe another 3 weeks of use. The bills show weekly billing cycles. I did not use or authorize any weekly billing. I am formally complaining and am planning to make my complaint public as much as possible. These charges are blatantly fraudulent.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Rented truck in Northern VA. By the time we got to Breezewood, PA, couldn’t stand the severe vibration any longer. Roadway tire service from TA arrived. Looks like all 6 tires need replacement? Balancing steer tires. Rear missing large chunks of rubber. Scheduled preventive maintenance overdue by 15k miles. So far, way behind schedule on trip. Not impressed w/ Penske.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Overpriced rentals. Like riding in a buckboard and the interior is filthy. Was double taxed on mileage and not refunded the proper amount. Disgusting experience. What more can I say. High priced and lousy unprofessional service.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Charged me 700.00 per day to rent a truck. Complete rip off. Never and I repeat NEVER use this company for your truck rental needs. Penske is 3 times more expensive than any other truck rental company on the market.

Original review: June 20, 2021

BEWARE!!!! My husband and I drove from Virginia to California in a 16 foot truck that included a car carrier. During the entire process we broke down twice due to receiving a faulty car carrier. Our carrier completely detached from the truck itself and almost caused a crazy accident. We were unable to get roadside assistance to help us, so we had to pay out of pocket for the damages. After repairing the damages we got on the road the next day and experienced another major issue with the car carrier. The back tires completely blew out in the middle of the freeway. And on top of that the trailer started to catch on fire. Long story short please give your money to another reliable moving company. This by far has been the worst experience I have ever encountered with moving.

Original review: May 11, 2021

Penske Rental #**for one-way 1,200 mile rental from Illinois to Florida. Truck had 172,000 miles. Truck had one working headlight. Truck had two bald tires, one tire with hole big enough to fit my thumb. Luckily I noticed the dangerous tires while loading the truck in my driveway rather than after a blow-out after beginning the trip on the road. Truck leaked rain-water from the roof of the cargo box. And the diesel emission fluid tank was issued on empty resulting in a dis-rating of the engine to maximum 5 mph. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

Penske wanted to double my rate from 2K to 4K today because I made my reservation in May 2020 and in Nov. they would only honor extending me out 1 month to Dec. 31. Who in their right mind would move across country on New Year's Eve by themselves?? I told that supervisor he could drive their truck for me as I refuse to depart on that date with high possibilities of snow, sleet & ice. Did he want their truck totaled?!

Today, Joe would not work with me either as I pissed the first supervisor off in Nov. and I'm sure he put a RED flag by my name amongst other things. I pointed out that it's all about money along with supply & demand. EX: if I were in Phoenix wanting to move to Los Angeles the rate was $300 vs. $3,000 LA to Phoenix. That in my book is corporate greed. I can understand a little lead way but really 10x the amount?? They honor discounts and gouge you if you need to change your reservations. So what if I've changed my reservation in the past! These are scary times esp. for a senior even before Covid.

I will never use Penske again and have always used them in the past, nor will I ever recommend them to any of my friends. Their supervisors are rude and I would hope they don't treat their own parents this way. Penske used to be a really good outfit. I don't know if mgmt. changed or ownership, but they aren't the same company they used to be. Shame on you Penske for gouging a senior citizen who lost their job due to Covid amongst other things. Also, gouging anyone leaving LA for that matter right now.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I purchased a used 2014, Freightliner, Cascadia from "Brennan **" out of Penske Harrisburg, PA location. Less than 24hrs after purchase the truck broken down on me, on the "Interstate 70" in a very unsafe condition, with no cellular service, stuck in Altamonte, Illinois. Over 700 miles from Harrisburg PA, where I purchased the truck from. Truck shut off on me on a 1 lane, highway and wouldn't start back up. Another truck driver stopped and called me a tow truck which cost me $350 to get my truck towed to a safe area off the interstate

"Brennan **" sold me a lemon.... and he knew it was a lemon... The truck was listed online as their, "Premium" condition and he lowered the truck condition to "Proven" which is their "AS-IS" condition.... ONLY AFTER they got my $500 deposit on the unit. Brennan, sold 3 other trucks I put my money down on to other buyers..., where they felt they could make more money on the deal. Brennan also, ran my personal credit on a truck they knew they didn't have in stock.... without my approval.... This guy is a SNAKE....DO NOT BUY FROM "Brennan **". He might sound like a NERD.... but he will screw you over and leave you hanging, without support.

Penske, sales used semi-trucks.... that are lemons.... They sold me a truck they didn't even clean out (during COVID-19), missing top bunk, with an old pissed out, dirty mattress on the bottom shelf....(during COVID-19). The truck even had an old fly trap, attached to the inside ceiling of the truck, full of dead flies during delivery.... The windshield was leaking water and the seals was torn and dry rotten.

Truck has the following codes;
      CHS 71
      SPN 5209 18

FAIL 5

I am very disappointed with this company's level of service provided to me. "Brennan **" has been nothing more than a deceitful, snake in the grass, used car salesman. Who took $12,500 down from me and sold me a lemon....

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I rented 26 foot truck with car carrier from Penske. I was moving from Mesa, AZ to Dyersburg, TN. A trip that should of took 2 days took me 9 days. First upon picking truck up I noticed steering wheel was not straight and had lots of play. Also would pull into shoulder or other lanes when hitting potholes or bumps in road. I took back to Penske. They told me to take to their repair shop. No. That's not my job. So after they looked at truck they said it was safe. So I loaded truck and car took off on my trip with my kids. Well it took me two days to leave Arizona. When getting to Albuquerque I called Penske. They told me notes say truck was inspected so stayed at motel.

Next morning started journey again. Got what would of took 1 hour from Albuquerque which took me 3 hours. Once again called road side. They sent mechanic. He advised I was lucky I didn't lose control and wreck. The whole front suspension needed repair. So they sent new truck at 3 am and movers to swap trucks which upon unloading they broke a lot of my stuff. Well the loaded took all day. We stayed in new Mexico again. In morning upon getting on freeway new truck started vibrating. Stopped. Called road side again. Talked for 2 hours well in front of truck service station Penske has contract with. So come to find out new truck has bad tires so here goes another 4 hours. Too late to get on road we checked back into motel. Once up got on to highway to Santa Rosa, New Mexico. That's when truck got flat after inspection in Albuquerque. So back to the phone and another motel.

In morning truck got fixed. Headed back to highway but not after going back to truck service station for new valve stems cause I was losing air. Was told that would be 5 hour wait due to them being busy. So back to a motel. Finally in morning got on highway. Made it to Oklahoma and vibrating started again. Took to truck station. They said tire was cupping. So here we go again I left truck and took car and checked into motel which now are being paid for by Penske but still inconvenient. In morning got truck and back onto highway. Finally at 1 in morning on the 9th day made it home. Even though I been refunded money for truck and rooms plus extra $800 I will never use or recommend Penske. They need to fully inspect trucks before renting to public.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

We have purchased Used Truck from West Sacramento location on 06/19/20 and we have not received the Title for the Vehicle yet. It has been more than 60 days and no one seem to give us an answer. I reached out the corporate office and asked for Customer Service Manager and I was told she will call me back with an update but got No Call from her. The person in the Title department doesn't even respond to my emails or calls no more. We are trying to figure out what's going on... and who else we should reach out next. Please give us advice if you know any other way to get this title from Penske Used Trucks. It's frustrating... Every time I called the corporate customer service, I have to tell the story to each individuals and they all seem to make a note and have the manager call me but No manager has approached me yet. WE WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH PENSKE!!!

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Penske Truck Rental Company Information