2. Movers

Penske Truck Rental

Penske Truck Rental
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.12/5

Penske Truck Rental Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

When looking for a way to move from Chicago to LA, I had many options to consider. First was who will move me? Myself or a moving company? I figured that out rather quickly because Pods and Relocube quoted $3k for my move of a one bedroom apartment. I felt this was expensive and they couldn't even drop the pod/cube on my street anyways due to city regulations, so I would have had to get a truck and bring my stuff to the terminal. I didn't want that kind of hassle and waste of time and additional money. My dad recommended Penske as he had used them before several times and was happy with their service. I didn't opt for Uhaul based on reviews of truck conditions/reliability issues and price.

I made my reservation online with Penske and got a discount because I opted to move in the off season, Dec 9, 2019. I reserved a 16ft truck w a car carrier, plus moving blankets and handtruck. I paid $1550.00. $1150 for one way truck w/ taxes to CA and $400 for car carrier. There was a promo running when I booked so prices may vary. Easy process, I think I had to put a cc on file to reserve but that's normal for renting vehicles. I did have to call Penske a couple times after I booked when my departure date changed. They were very helpful and changed whatever I needed, with no change to my rate either.

I picked up from a Home Depot near my home. Very easy process, took all of 15 minutes. They charge the whole cost on your cc when you take your truck. No hidden fees. They let us leave the car carrier there so we could load up and come back for it. Worked out perfectly. They also have a 24 Roadside Assistance for you in case of any issues. I actually had to call bec one of the tie down straps was stuck and we couldn't load my car. The roadside assistance set up someone to come out and replace it, but 15 minutes later, we got it unstuck and canceled the call. But it's nice to know that service is with you on your move. The truck had Onstar as well, but not sure if that was activated or not since I just used my cellphone to call.

Easy to load truck with pull out ramp. 2 captains chairs in the front made for an easy drive. They don't recline, but it wasn't an issue since we stayed in hotels during our trip. We drove from Chicago to LA, using the south route thru OK, TX NM, AZ and CA. Truck got about 260 to 300 miles per fill up, $66 or so until you hit AZ and CA whose gas prices are higher. I think we had 9 fillups, but we drove in a national park too, on the way to sightsee, so maybe 10 fillups. But driving in cooler weather helps gas economy and traffic activity. Fyi You can only do 75mph max as it had a governor on it. But with a car in back, that's fast enough really.

Not a single issue with truck or trailer. Dropped back off at a Home Depot here in LA. So if you are looking to rent for a one way cross country, Penske is the way. I highly recommend for peace of mind and safety as their trucks are 2 years old or newer. Ours had 100k miles on it, but ran like a champ. I will always use them in the future.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

For the prominence of United Parcel Service Locking down & accelerating into peak season Penske Truck Rentals pulls through in a driven force of trustworthiness, reliability, sustainability. Up to par on inspection. Very smooth ride. Great brakes... well threaded tires... Great sizing in mirrors... to watch for motorist and pedestrians. Head lights are bright as could be for night vision. When you rent from Penske you know your life is in good hands. B2B #1 in Safety Requirements. #1 in logistics of service and deliverance. Penske leading UPS #1 Leader in Global Logistics right to the top in DEDICATION ON EVERY TURN. A-1 Accredited.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2019

Their prices for truck rental and car towing were better than others. The rep I spoke with on the phone initially was very helpful and pleasant to talk to. We did have some difficulty with the car trailer upon pickup but Kathleen at customer service was very helpful. They gave us an even bigger discount and even drove a new car trailer out to our home so we could continue to load the truck which the employee who drove out the new trailer was awesome. Moving is very stressful but these reps for Penske made our day a little more bearable. Thanks Penske.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Rented the high ceiling van easily online. Later learned that my pick up point doesn't carry that truck, but they had it brought out that morning from a nearby city. Great customer service at pick up and easily returned with key drop off. I did get charged their estimate of mileage with deposit ($150) and then refunded the following day for the unused mileage. I would definitely rent from them again!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

The folks at PENSKE FAIRFAX RENTAL MA in Fairfax, VA were outstanding, thorough and honest - highly recommend renting a Penske Truck from this location. The 26' truck we rented was not too difficult to drive. Would have provided a five star rating except the after hours key drop off at HOME DEPOT #4131, 1700 FRUITVILLE PIKE, LANCASTER, PA was broken and we had to made an additional trip to drop off the key when the Home Depot was open the following day. Overall Penske provided a very good truck rental experience and we would recommend them to other do-it-yourself movers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I’ve reserved twice online for a 26’ and 12’ box trucks and both times the truck was not ready. 1/9/2020 I am sitting at Home Depot and had truck reserved to pick up at 7:00am, it is 10:50 am and truck is still not here and I have no choice except to wait since I was dropped off by Uber. I will NEVER rent from Penske again. My reservation #** if you need this Penske.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I recently purchased a box truck from these guys.... $40,000 motor blew in 25 days under $1000 miles.... They said it only had a 15 day warranty and in over 9 days lol and now won't answer my call (Phil). You're a joke!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Scheduled to rent a CDL truck from this place and the morning it was suppose to be ready for pickup, they didnt have it ready due to a mechanical issue. Never even called to warn anyone so we could make other arrangements. Never even offered a discount. Very crappy place, not reliable at all.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Don't buy from #penskeusedtrucks. I purchased 2 used trucks for $60k and after 30 days they will not even pass the state inspection which was guaranteed to me! After waiting 3 months for the trucks, I can't make money to take care of my family! Sales rep told me it's only $60000 wow!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I rented a 16ft truck round trip for a day on a Saturday. The Truck had only 9K miles and work great. When I made the truck lease I was told I had to pay a deposit (no big deal) and the attendant said the deposit would be on HOLD, so I used my Visa Debit card. I turned the truck in later that day and when I saw the receipt it had a CHARGE of the rental & the deposit! When I looked online at my bank account they took the Charged amount that included the deposit so when I called the local office about it she said wait until the next day and see if the deposit gets taken back off. So next day I checked and nothing was refunded. Then I called again to the local office and now they say wait 3-5 business days for a refund.

I started reading reviews about this problem at Penske and the refund wait was either told as 3-5 days to 7-10 days So I called Penske Corp about it. They said I had to wait 7-10 business days! Ok so If I had known how screwed up Penske was on this policy I would have paid cash and gotten my remainder back that day. Penske was quick to take my money that Saturday with the deposit but I dont get why it takes 7-10 Business days to get my deposit back. Penske - If you really value your customers like you say then update your refund policy and process to the 21st century and give the deposit amount due back the day the truck is inspected & turned in. This is Horrible service and can screw up people financially when they move and need the cash toward a new apt. or home. What if this happened to YOU Penske!!!

Let us do the heavy lifting!

Take our two minute quiz to find the right moving company for you.

Penske Truck Rental Company Information