2. Movers

Penske Truck Rental

Penske Truck Rental
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.55/5

Penske Truck Rental rents trucks for local and long-distance self-moves in 49 states and Washington, D.C. Penske offers five truck sizes to fit moves of all sizes. Customers who drive themselves but still need help loading and unloading can request labor from a local moving company.

BOTTOM LINE

Penske is a good option to save on moving costs. Driving, loading and unloading a truck yourself requires more work than a full-service move, but it’s a more affordable moving solution.

PROS

• Discounts
  • Haul a car behind the truck
  • Transparent pricing

CONS

• No trailers, just trucks

Top Penske Truck Rental Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Reserved the truck online, very easy to do. We did purchase the additional insurance. We chose very convenient pickup and dropoff locations, as this was a 1-way rental, from NJ to FL. The truck was brand new, easy to load and no mechanical issues for our 1000+ mile trip. If we ever need to rent a truck again, Penske will be our choice.

Not a single issue with truck or trailer. Dropped back off at a Home Depot here in LA. So if you are looking to rent for a one way cross country, Penske is the way. I highly recommend for peace of mind and safety as their trucks are 2 years old or newer. Ours had 100k miles on it, but ran like a champ. I will always use them in the future.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Penske Truck Rental?

Penske Truck Rental offers five different sizes of trucks for people who want to move themselves. Local moves are affordable, and customers typically pick up and drop off the truck from the same location. Long-distance moves are one-way, so customers leave the truck at their destination city. Penske’s online quote process makes it easy to get an accurate price with all fees included.

Penske Truck Rental price

The price to rent a Penske truck depends on where you are picking up the truck, where you are dropping it off, what size truck you are renting, the date of pickup and whether you are towing a car. For an exact quote, visit Penske’s website and enter your information. Getting a quote only takes a few minutes.

Estimated Penske truck rental prices*

Example routeExample routeTrip detailsCost
Houston to Dallas250 miles2-day rental$202
Kansas City to Chicago500 miles5-day rental$814
Los Angeles to Denver1,000 miles5-day rental$1,469
Boston to Miami1,500 miles7-day rental$1,938
Orlando to Seattle3,000 miles11-day rental$2,091

*All prices are for a 16-foot truck.

Penske Truck Rental moving services

Penske caters to two kinds of moves:

• Local moves: Same-city moves usually require customers to pick up and drop off the truck at the same location. Penske often adds a small per-mile charge to the base price for renting the truck.
  • Long-distance moves: These are also known as “one-way” moves. Customers pick up the truck in one city and drop it off at the destination after unloading it.

Penske has five options for truck size, which lets you choose the perfect size to fit your belongings. Penske also sells packing materials and rents hand trucks. Every move comes with roadside assistance. Customers also have the option to haul a car behind their truck.

Truck typeCapacity (cubic feet)Weight limit (pounds)Move size
High-roof cargo van4043,500Studio apartment
12-foot4503,100Studio or two rooms
16-foot8004,300Studio to one-bedroom
22-foot1,20010,000Medium-sized house
26-foot1,70010,000Large house

Penske Truck Rental FAQ

Is Penske cheaper than U-Haul?
Penske typically costs more than U-Haul, but prices vary by location. U-Haul has a cheaper 10-foot truck option that Penske doesn’t have. Comparing prices near you is the best way to know for sure which company is cheaper.
Does Penske offer unlimited mileage?
Yes, Penkse offers unlimited mileage on one-way truck rentals.
How much is a Penske truck security deposit?
Penske requires a $100 security deposit.
Do Penske rental trucks need to stop at weigh stations?
Penske encourages drivers to follow all road signs, including ones that signal to stop at weigh stations.
Do you need a CDL for a Penske truck?
Driving a 22- or 26-foot truck requires a commercial driver’s license. All other trucks do not require a CDL.

Is Penske Truck Rental worth it?

Renting a truck from Penske is worth it if you’re moving yourself and not hiring a professional transporter. It's generally affordable, and the process to reserve a truck online is straightforward. We also like that you can tow a car behind the rental truck — just keep in mind that loading, unloading and driving the truck require a lot of effort. For consumers willing to put in that effort to save money, a Penske truck rental is worth it.

Penske Truck Rental Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske Truck Rental?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I purchased a used 2014, Freightliner, Cascadia from "Brennan **" out of Penske Harrisburg, PA location. Less than 24hrs after purchase the truck broken down on me, on the "Interstate 70" in a very unsafe condition, with no cellular service, stuck in Altamonte, Illinois. Over 700 miles from Harrisburg PA, where I purchased the truck from. Truck shut off on me on a 1 lane, highway and wouldn't start back up. Another truck driver stopped and called me a tow truck which cost me $350 to get my truck towed to a safe area off the interstate

"Brennan **" sold me a lemon.... and he knew it was a lemon... The truck was listed online as their, "Premium" condition and he lowered the truck condition to "Proven" which is their "AS-IS" condition.... ONLY AFTER they got my $500 deposit on the unit. Brennan, sold 3 other trucks I put my money down on to other buyers..., where they felt they could make more money on the deal. Brennan also, ran my personal credit on a truck they knew they didn't have in stock.... without my approval.... This guy is a SNAKE....DO NOT BUY FROM "Brennan **". He might sound like a NERD.... but he will screw you over and leave you hanging, without support.

Penske, sales used semi-trucks.... that are lemons.... They sold me a truck they didn't even clean out (during COVID-19), missing top bunk, with an old pissed out, dirty mattress on the bottom shelf....(during COVID-19). The truck even had an old fly trap, attached to the inside ceiling of the truck, full of dead flies during delivery.... The windshield was leaking water and the seals was torn and dry rotten.

Truck has the following codes;
CHS 71
SPN 5209 18

FAIL 5

I am very disappointed with this company's level of service provided to me. "Brennan **" has been nothing more than a deceitful, snake in the grass, used car salesman. Who took $12,500 down from me and sold me a lemon....

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

I rented 26 foot truck with car carrier from Penske. I was moving from Mesa, AZ to Dyersburg, TN. A trip that should of took 2 days took me 9 days. First upon picking truck up I noticed steering wheel was not straight and had lots of play. Also would pull into shoulder or other lanes when hitting potholes or bumps in road. I took back to Penske. They told me to take to their repair shop. No. That's not my job. So after they looked at truck they said it was safe. So I loaded truck and car took off on my trip with my kids. Well it took me two days to leave Arizona. When getting to Albuquerque I called Penske. They told me notes say truck was inspected so stayed at motel.

Next morning started journey again. Got what would of took 1 hour from Albuquerque which took me 3 hours. Once again called road side. They sent mechanic. He advised I was lucky I didn't lose control and wreck. The whole front suspension needed repair. So they sent new truck at 3 am and movers to swap trucks which upon unloading they broke a lot of my stuff. Well the loaded took all day. We stayed in new Mexico again. In morning upon getting on freeway new truck started vibrating. Stopped. Called road side again. Talked for 2 hours well in front of truck service station Penske has contract with. So come to find out new truck has bad tires so here goes another 4 hours. Too late to get on road we checked back into motel. Once up got on to highway to Santa Rosa, New Mexico. That's when truck got flat after inspection in Albuquerque. So back to the phone and another motel.

In morning truck got fixed. Headed back to highway but not after going back to truck service station for new valve stems cause I was losing air. Was told that would be 5 hour wait due to them being busy. So back to a motel. Finally in morning got on highway. Made it to Oklahoma and vibrating started again. Took to truck station. They said tire was cupping. So here we go again I left truck and took car and checked into motel which now are being paid for by Penske but still inconvenient. In morning got truck and back onto highway. Finally at 1 in morning on the 9th day made it home. Even though I been refunded money for truck and rooms plus extra $800 I will never use or recommend Penske. They need to fully inspect trucks before renting to public.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

We have purchased Used Truck from West Sacramento location on 06/19/20 and we have not received the Title for the Vehicle yet. It has been more than 60 days and no one seem to give us an answer. I reached out the corporate office and asked for Customer Service Manager and I was told she will call me back with an update but got No Call from her. The person in the Title department doesn't even respond to my emails or calls no more. We are trying to figure out what's going on... and who else we should reach out next. Please give us advice if you know any other way to get this title from Penske Used Trucks. It's frustrating... Every time I called the corporate customer service, I have to tell the story to each individuals and they all seem to make a note and have the manager call me but No manager has approached me yet. WE WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH PENSKE!!!

Original review: July 31, 2020

I recently utilized Penske for a move out of Chicago due to COVID-19, and was VERY disappointed in the rental service for a number of reasons. I booked a Penske high-roof van a month prior to my actual move date, in order to ensure a seamless process. I booked it out of a location within walking distance from my apartment. Since I didn’t have a vehicle in the city, and I have a member of my household high at risk for COVID-19, I wanted to take all the precautions to make sure the move was safe, efficient, and allowed me to pick up and drop off the van without having to take public transportation or an Uber.

Less than 24 hours before my move, Penske called me to let me know that they were unable to have a van at the location in which I originally reserved the rental vehicle. Instead, they told me I’d need to pick up AND drop off the vehicle on the other side of the city. There was “nothing else they could do,” as vans are in “high demand” at the end of the month. I called Penske back to see if there was anything else they could do, and expressed my concerns about having to take public transportation to get there. On such short notice, was there any possible way they could get a truck to the original location? They told me no. Since I booked so far in advance, I asked why there wasn’t a van at the location, and whether it was normal for them to make such drastic changes to reservation less than 24 hrs before pick-up is scheduled (I couldn’t find note of this being a possibility anywhere in their rental policy). They said it “happens.”

After asking for more help repeatedly, all Penske did was knock some money off of the price (after some nagging from me to make SOME kind of reparation for the new and unexpected difficulties), to account for the fact that I had no choice but to Uber to the pick-up/drop-off location and back, twice, or else walk 6 miles across the city each way. The discount did not end up covering the full Uber costs, and created a lot more stress during the move. The extra unexpected exposure makes it stressful even after the fact.

To top it all off, for advertising their vans and trucks are 2 years old or newer, the high roof cargo van I requested during my reservation did NOT have a high roof, and looked to be a 2015 or 2016 model. I’ve used Penske before, and was satisfied the first time, but this move was an entirely different story. In such difficult times, it would have been nice to have Penske be more accommodating and flexible. Looks like I’ll be going to U-Haul for my next move.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I rented a Penske truck from Home Depot in Vallejo Ca, for a move to Murrieta Ca. The cost was just above 1400 with tax and a puchased truck breakdown policy. Stuff happens, and I know that so when the truck broke down halfway down the 5 freeway, i was not concerned but I had to move all my stuff from the Penske truck to another rental, a U-haul. That was hard to say the least. I also incurred more cost to rent the other truck. Now here comes my complaint: Penske truck broke down due to fueling problem, and remember I had a breakdown policy, i then make a claim to Penske. Complete silence for about a week.

An email shows up saying they are sorry but after investigating the claim, they offer to make things right....good, right? Well they kept my money and complete silence and no refund. I send a follow up email to daniel.schmitz@penske.com, asking what happened...he is the consumer development manager for Penske. Complete failure as he has not replied yet and neither has Raymond Banuelos, the Murrieta manager representing Penske. All I want is an answer and neither has the nuggets to answer back. I even bought a policy, so I learned the policy is a joke as well. Next step is court, cause they may think im going away but thats not the case, lol.

Original review: April 8, 2020

My daughter had parked in a safe place and her storage unit wasn’t available till the next day because of the size she needed. They towed it and Penske went and picked it up and went she finally went to get everything because of there being so much confusion about where they took the truck to and her losing the unit and so much back and forth.

When they opened the truck for her to get her things (an entire house full of things) it was gone. The young man was shocked and of course so was my daughter. One of the employees stole everything and they won’t take any responsibility for it and claim they refunded all the money back to her which they didn’t. The district manager couldn’t be bothered to even return a phone call. After waiting a week I finally called Ryan back at the Carrollton location and they aren’t going to do anything about it. What a horrible experience and awful customer service. I can’t and won’t ever recommend them to anyone. Shady way to do business. I’d have gone with U-Haul but they didn’t have a big enough truck to accommodate her needs. Never again Penske!

Original review: March 6, 2020

I recently purchased a 26ft box truck from Penske that they claim was "Premium". I didn't have this truck more than a week when the check engine light came on and the front headlight was out. The headlight was an electrical issue because the bulb was good. When I opened up the headlight area I could smell something burning and tell it had been rigged and was not the original set up. Because I was within my 15 days they had me come in and supposedly fixed everything.

Few weeks later check engine light is on again and headlight out again. Same electrical issue, except this time no one at penske will even respond to my emails or return my calls about the issues. Even the financing was an issue. I was told that taxes were included in the financing but when I went to the DMV to get it plated they had not sent a check for the entire amount, was short over $900. Person I spoke to tried to blame me for it then again dark silence, no response. I have sent 6 emails and made multiple calls now to multiple people with no response. The customer service is horrible and it is clear that the ignoring is intentional. I'm a new business trying to get off the ground and provide for my family, Penske doesn't care about the people. I paid over 36k and now I am stuck with a lemon. I would strongly urge people to avoid this company. Truck number is ** if anyone at Penske decides to reach out to me.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I purchased a used truck in October 2019. It did not have a clear title and as a result I had to get two consecutive 30 day tags. After the 60 days was up I had a truck that could not be used and had to park it for 10 days. I asked the sales rep if there was a solution. He said I could rent a truck, pay for it and then get reimbursed for the rental expenses. I rented a truck for 2 weeks and 3 days. Had to cover it on my insurance and had a flat tire that they want me to pay for. The total cost out of pocket is $2097.20 rental expense, $800 insurance cost and $665.03 tire replacement for a total of $3562.23

I sent in the documents that related to the rental on Feb 5th. After several attempts to contact the sales rep (no response to email or phone messages) I was given another persons name. I contacted them and after 1 week he informed me that he was changing jobs and gave me another persons name. I have not had any success in getting to a person who seems interested in resolving this issue. They were all available when it came time to buy but now the response is non existent. If I ever but another truck it will not be from Penske based solely on this experience.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Horrible customer service. Penske truck has been over 40 minutes late. And I’m still waiting. Still on hold with them on phone right now for over 14 minutes. Waste of time. Very disrespectful. Save yourself time and money. Do not choose Penske. Go with U-HAUL.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I’ve reserved twice online for a 26’ and 12’ box trucks and both times the truck was not ready. 1/9/2020 I am sitting at Home Depot and had truck reserved to pick up at 7:00am, it is 10:50 am and truck is still not here and I have no choice except to wait since I was dropped off by Uber. I will NEVER rent from Penske again. My reservation #** if you need this Penske.

Penske Truck Rental Company Information