Penske Truck Rental

3.9/5 (380 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Penske Truck Rental

Penske Truck Rental rents trucks for local and long-distance self-moves in 49 states and Washington, D.C. Penske offers five truck sizes to fit moves of all sizes. Customers who drive themselves but still need help loading and unloading can request labor from a local moving company.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Discounts
    • Haul a car behind the truck
    • Transparent pricing

Cons

• No trailers, just trucks

Bottom Line

Penske is a good option to save on moving costs. Driving, loading and unloading a truck yourself requires more work than a full-service move, but it’s a more affordable moving solution.

Top Penske Truck Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Verified

Reserved the truck online, very easy to do. ... We chose very convenient pickup and dropoff locations, as this was a 1-way rental, from NJ to FL. The truck was brand new, easy to ...

Verified

Not a single issue with truck or trailer. ... So if you are looking to rent for a one way cross country, Penske is the way. I highly recommend for peace of mind and safety as thei...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Penske Truck Rental?

Penske Truck Rental offers five different sizes of trucks for people who want to move themselves. Local moves are affordable, and customers typically pick up and drop off the truck from the same location. Long-distance moves are one-way, so customers leave the truck at their destination city. Penske’s online quote process makes it easy to get an accurate price with all fees included.

Penske Truck Rental price

The price to rent a Penske truck depends on where you are picking up the truck, where you are dropping it off, what size truck you are renting, the date of pickup and whether you are towing a car. For an exact quote, visit Penske’s website and enter your information. Getting a quote only takes a few minutes.

Estimated Penske truck rental prices*

Example routeExample routeTrip detailsCost
    Houston to Dallas250 miles2-day rental$202
    Kansas City to Chicago500 miles5-day rental$814
    Los Angeles to Denver1,000 miles5-day rental$1,469
    Boston to Miami1,500 miles7-day rental$1,938
    Orlando to Seattle3,000 miles11-day rental$2,091

*All prices are for a 16-foot truck.

Penske Truck Rental moving services

Penske caters to two kinds of moves:

• Local moves: Same-city moves usually require customers to pick up and drop off the truck at the same location. Penske often adds a small per-mile charge to the base price for renting the truck.
    • Long-distance moves: These are also known as “one-way” moves. Customers pick up the truck in one city and drop it off at the destination after unloading it.

Penske has five options for truck size, which lets you choose the perfect size to fit your belongings. Penske also sells packing materials and rents hand trucks. Every move comes with roadside assistance. Customers also have the option to haul a car behind their truck.

Truck typeCapacity (cubic feet)Weight limit (pounds)Move size
    High-roof cargo van4043,500Studio apartment
    12-foot4503,100Studio or two rooms
    16-foot8004,300Studio to one-bedroom
    22-foot1,20010,000Medium-sized house
    26-foot1,70010,000Large house

Penske Truck Rental FAQ

Is Penske cheaper than U-Haul?
    Penske typically costs more than U-Haul, but prices vary by location. U-Haul has a cheaper 10-foot truck option that Penske doesn’t have. Comparing prices near you is the best way to know for sure which company is cheaper.
    Does Penske offer unlimited mileage?
    Yes, Penkse offers unlimited mileage on one-way truck rentals.
    How much is a Penske truck security deposit?
    Penske requires a $100 security deposit.
    Do Penske rental trucks need to stop at weigh stations?
    Penske encourages drivers to follow all road signs, including ones that signal to stop at weigh stations.
    Do you need a CDL for a Penske truck?
    Driving a 22- or 26-foot truck requires a commercial driver’s license. All other trucks do not require a CDL.

Is Penske Truck Rental worth it?

Renting a truck from Penske is worth it if you’re moving yourself and not hiring a professional transporter. It's generally affordable, and the process to reserve a truck online is straightforward. We also like that you can tow a car behind the rental truck — just keep in mind that loading, unloading and driving the truck require a lot of effort. For consumers willing to put in that effort to save money, a Penske truck rental is worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske Truck Rental?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

3 weeks ago a Penske truck in Bellingham, Ma. Wiped out our mailboxes and a large rock displaced. Called mitigation group and got the individual to speak with. I called, I emailed and no return call. I sent one email return receipt, and they read the email but did not call me. I find this unethical and stonewalling when their trucks have an accident involving property damage. I have all the pictures but they won't return my call. There's nothing more frustrating than being ignored by a company that obviously doesn't care about safety or others. They shirk their responsibility with valid claims.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I had my move planned for two months and on the day to leave the trailer was missing the support bar where the straps wrap around the front tires. How did this pass inspection? I have pictures to prove, and I don't plan on returning.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

Booked a cargo van rental for taking daughter to college with apartment furnishings. When I arrived for pickup on morning of the move, they said they said I had to take a much larger box truck two categories higher than the van size I needed. They didn’t notify me in advance of this surprise, despite sending multiple other emails confirming my order. This made my move more work to secure things in all the extra space, and more costly in fuel cost over the 300 miles, and more dangerous for me and others on the road.

Penske relies on a legal disclaimer in their online terms which says if the truck you book is unavailable they reserve the right to stick you with a bigger one. Based on prior experiences where the same thing occurred, Penske seems to disregard the customer’s needs and safety in exchange for Penske’s business convenience. And despite having a sophisticated online booking system with automated email updates, they choose not to notify you in advance of such unpleasant surprise changes. Shameful.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

We are long time local rental customers of Penske with generally good experiences. Terrible experience with Penske with Household Oneway rental. Next is truck was in fair shape, we had an accident with the truck and Penske refused to replace truck nor provide credit for a rental that was supposed to be 4 days but lasted 4 hours. Penske since has not co-operated with my insurance company and has tried to claim damages for items already noted by Penske as being damaged prior to our rental. Finally, Penske's refusal to provide a replacement truck lead us to use U-Haul. Turns out U-Haul's price for the same service was nearly 50% less with a newer and better suited truck. Would recommend U-Haul over Penske.

Original review: July 14, 2022

Penske rented us a truck at the last minute when we were abandoned by another company. They were even able to give us a larger truck than they had originally agreed to the night before and granted us a few extra days with it. They really saved the day.

Original review: July 10, 2022

I rented a truck on 07/03/2 with the term of unlimited miles. I returned the truck on scheduled date, 07/04/22 but 2 hours late. I did not call the store because I thought the store was closed on JULY 4TH. The store manager, Lucas ** explained to me its company policy not to refund customers $100.00 deposit and charge for the whole day. This is unfair and truly unprofessional customer service, in fact I believe it's stealing from your customers. I spoke with another company representative, Tony explained the rules are set up, if I had called and explained I was running late I am giving 2/3 hours windows before being charge a whole day. Once again, I did not call because it was July 4th and I thought the store was not open. Lucas ** explained, if I had not drove the truck 600 miles he would refund some of my money but Lucas said, I took advantage of the unlimited miles rule so he will not refund my deposit.

Original review: June 13, 2022

Got a local truck rental to move some furniture. Paid for a 24 hour rental. Was quoted $63 for the rental. Got the truck back to the lot that night and was charged almost $500 for their ** - line item overcharges. Unbelievable rip off. Unbelievable that they get away with it. They charged things I never agreed to and charged prices that were not disclosed during initial intake. Can not believe how bad they are. I have moved myself and my kids and have rented moving trucks before. I never paid so much for so little. They are absolute thieves. No matter what they quote you - be prepared to pay 10 times that amount. Shady as hell and they do it proudly.

Original review: June 12, 2022

I rented weeks in advance including 5 doz blankets. Penske is three times the cost of uhaul. Went to pick up the truck and zero blankets. I was told to go to harbor freight and buy them. Really? Really? Truck is a noisy screechy POS. Go somewhere else. Penske is a not very funny joke.

Original review: May 28, 2022

** helped me find a truck for this long weekend of May 29th through June 1st AT 140 Green Rd. Knoxville, TN 37920 on 05/28/2022. I called everywhere beginning with local Penske locations without much luck. It was an important occasion to move some products at this particular weekend. I have always had good experiences with Penske in my 20+ years of business relationship, but this time, it saved me an important time. Thank you, **. You are an asset to Penske, America and most importantly to humanity:).

Original review: March 23, 2022

I reserved a truck a week ahead of actual date. Had confirmation from corporate. I called one day before actual rental date. They changed the confirmation and was going to be charged $100 more than the quoted confirmation agreement. I DO NOT RECOMMEND PENSKE FOR ANY SERVICES.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Penske Truck Rental Company Information