4.0/5 (409 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Bekins Van Lines

Bekins Van Lines is a moving company that offers assistance with a variety of moves, including both residential and commercial relocations. With Bekins, you can get a free estimate on its website by entering basic information about your move. The company provides comprehensive services and helps with international moves.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top Bekins Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I recently moved from Amarillo, Texas to Dallas, Texas… My experience was extremely positive. The moving crew was fast, careful with my possessions, and very efficient. They arriv...

Verified

We obtained the usual estimates for our commercial office move, and Bekins came in with the best and most detailed estimate… They arrived on schedule, were prepared and had ample ...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Bekins Van Lines?

Established in 1851, Bekins Van Lines is a moving company with a wide range of services, including packing, transportation and storage for both local and interstate moves. Bekins handles both commercial and residential relocations and provides agents to assist in the planning and execution of all its moves. All its employees are subject to background checks, and its moving services are available both across the country and around the globe.

Bekins Van Lines services

Bekins Van Lines offers services ranging from planning and packing to hauling and storage. For a residential move, you can start with an online ballpark estimate, then the company will arrange a free in-home estimate and provide a more precise quote. Your move will be supervised by a Bekins agent, and you can have its movers pack for you — or you can save money by packing yourself. The company offers limited liability and full replacement value protection. It also has short- and long-term storage options.

Bekins prides itself on moving everything (including industrial and medical equipment) except hazardous materials. It offers military relocation and is a service provider for the General Services Administration (GSA) and the Centralized Household Goods Traffic Management Program (CHAMP). The company can coordinate with your employer to offer relocation packages; its international relocation assistance services include language training and furniture rentals.

Bekins Van Lines costs

Bekins Van Lines has a free ballpark estimate tool for residential moves on its website; for a move from a three-bedroom apartment in San Francisco to Seattle in mid-April, one online estimate from Bekins was between $3,839.36 and $5,047.99.

To get specific pricing information from Bekins, you’ll have to request a phone call with a service agent. The average cost of a move ranges from $200 to $5,000, depending on the distance and number of belongings. You can save money by packing some of your own items and moving in the fall or winter; peak times like spring and summer tend to be more expensive. Bekins also provides breakage protection for your belongings at an additional cost.

Bekins Van Lines FAQ

Does Bekins Van Lines offer commercial moving services?
    Yes. Not only does Bekins Van Lines offer commercial moving services, but it also can move everything but hazardous materials. This includes medical equipment, office equipment, heavy machinery, IT equipment, appliances and store fixtures.
    Where is Bekins Van Lines available?
    Bekins Van Lines is available in 95% of the U.S. It also offers international moving.
    Does Bekins Van Lines have storage services?
    Bekins Van Lines offers three kinds of storage — short-term, long-term and storage-in-transit for up to 180 days. Most of the time it can have your items ready with one day’s notice.
    Does Bekins Van Lines do cross-country moves?
    Yes, Bekins Van Lines handles cross-country and international moves. If you’re moving for work, ask Bekins to contact your employer to discuss possible relocation benefits.

Is Bekins Van Lines good?

Bekins Van Lines is ideal for complicated or specialized moves and corporate relocations, but its pricing runs a bit high for residential moves. If you’re interested in its moving services, visit its website or request a quote from a customer service representative to see if its costs fit your budget and situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bekins Van Lines?

Original review: May 16, 2022

We moved from California to Michigan. I paid extra for insurance. They damaged many items. Please see photos below. The truck driver offered to pay for one broken table and I said, "No worries. I’ll file a claim." I filed a claim and they said they didn’t pack these items. When they did pack these items. Then they came back and said that my items were already damaged. Not only that but they didn’t even box or bag my expensive mattresses. I had custom pieces broken and antiques broken. I knew they would not be able to replace these items so I kindly asked for repairs not replacements. I go nothing but them telling me over and over that they were previously damaged or that they didn’t pack them.

I even just asked for the extra $500+ dollars I paid for the insurance back and didn’t get that either. I have made four large moves across country. I have never had an issue with repairs previously. This company is terrible. DONT USE THEM. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Their sales people talk smack about the other companies to get you to feel like they have your best interests at heart. They don’t.

Original review: April 16, 2022

Beware of a good sales rep - he won me over against competitive bids and I deeply regret going with Bekins. Every step post sales rep was awful:

- Sales rep assured me that his quotes were always low so there would be no surprises; his bid was actually $3k too low (nasty surprise). The Company told me that this was acceptable per their standards and wouldn't release my goods until I paid.

- Driver did not show up on the date of loading and our goods remained on a truck for three months after they put us to the back of the queue. Very little correspondence from the company unless I reached out and pushed them to give me an expected timeline. My family of five had no idea when our truck would arrive. For three months we lived in an empty house (3 kids, ages 8, 8 and 6). No sympathy or sense of urgency from Bekins.

- When the truck arrived, we learned that the back hatch was broken and did not close properly so our goods were exposed to rain as they drove from Washington state to Georgia.

- Considerable damage to our goods when we unpacked them. In the claims process, Bekins references all the fine print in their inventory sheets/contract and the company has been unwilling to do what is right.

- If you do go with Bekins despite my experience, make sure you check through every single inventory item at delivery. We had items that were missing and the company is unwilling to reimburse for those because we did not call these out at the time of delivery. It will take several additional hours to inventory everything and the movers will need to stay there until you are done, but if you do not do this critical step the company will not take responsibility for losing items.

In my opinion, if you do not have a good lawyer willing to handhold the bid/moving/claims process from start to finish, do not do business with this company!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2022

Burlingame, CA. We engaged Bekins to ship an international sea freight container. We waited patiently for a container for 6 months. The shipment arrived without directions for the delivery, without communications about the specifics, and without an inventory list. The boxes were unmarked. Numerous boxes were missing. The receiving agent had no directions and claimed the boxes were not received. The Bekins agent failed to mark the boxes, failed to provide an inventory list or directions. The agent told us she did not mark the boxes or provide a type written inventory. Once the boxes went missing she denied her statements while placing blame on the receivers. We had to communicate internationally with the receiving agent ourselves. The items were never located.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

They kept goods in storage during a move for 3 months. When I was ready to receive my furniture they could not find my furniture for 5 days. It was Misplaced... That should tell you a lot about their operation. I made the mistake of using them for another move 6 months later. And a disaster. They damaged 4 items and after they loaded up the truck they asked for a signature on 7 pages each with about 50 entrees on each sheet.. This furniture was all new and they not only damaged the furniture but the supervisor of the move had a bad back and could not lift so they dragged one piece on the floor and scratched a brand new tile floor and the piece of furniture that they dragged was damaged..

I got disgusted on the lack of attention in resolving the damages so I had 3 pieces repaired on my own. They had a quote on the damage of the 4th piece. Of course the check that they send did not include the sales tax and freight that we had to pay to have the piece fixed .. Quite honestly it was not a big number but NOTHING went right. For a major company to operate this way it is a disgrace. Bekins of South Florida uses the Bekins name but the the licensor Bekins will have nothing to do with a local move. THe reviews on the Bekins site are selected positive reviews. As you will see you are on a Bekins site that they control, not a objective site like ConsumerAffairs.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

The actual move was terrible. We are not sure what occurred to our home furnishings once placed in the moving custody of Bekins. How many times our property was loaded and reloaded on their trucks and storage facilities. It arrived 4 days late. Most of the packing boxes appeared as if someone had purposely jumped up and down on them, especially the larger boxes. Many items were found broken and beyond repair. If that was not enough. The teak sideboard to our dining room furniture set had both of its doors thrown off and numerous deep scratches that could not be covered up with Old English scratch remover. In addition the doors did never arrived with the rest of our property. The only conclusion we could envision was that some Bekins’ employee had driven a forklift in to it. Also a two tiered desk unit arrived with broken sections and drawers falling out. This unit was also beyond repair.

Obviously no one should entrust their property to this mover. In attempts to be reimbursed for these malicious and careless damages we were told the mover was totally protected by the signed Bill of Lading and terms therein. I would agree, but our sustained damages were not the usual dents and scratches that occur in loading, unloading and transport of household property. Our damaged property was carelessly, maliciously and recklessly handled by Bekins. The Bill of Lading does not give the carrier absolute freedom to destroy your property and be totally sheltered from the responsibility for their malicious and reckless damages. We are now seeking legal action in this matter.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

We moved over 10 times in 30 years. Our most recent move with Bekins was the worst. We had contracted for 2 delivery locations- our storage unit and our home. Delivering driver shoved all of our belongings in the storage unit and removed the protective blankets. He promised to return the next day, do an inventory and transfer/deliver contracted/requested items out of the storage unit to our home. The driver did not return the next day. He falsified the inventory sheets by signing them and writing “CRTS” ( customer refused to sign). He did not put a date on the inventory manifest. Company refused to reimburse us for missing items because delivering driver falsified delivery manifest. Personal belongings damaged due to poor handling by delivering driver and his crews. Would never recommend Bekins/Wheaton or any of their affiliates.

Original review: June 28, 2021

Our family has relocated across states 2 times prior, using United. For our third move, we decided to try Bekins, and it was a bad mistake. Our goods were on the truck for 12 days, due to a long delay in delivery. Many items were simply tossed in large boxes and broke. My new grand piano was warped by the humidity. Our grand-father clock is missing a part and no longer keeps time. Though Bekins promises up to $100,000 insurance, the claim process is close to impossible, with Bekins' representative denying liability or offering absurd amounts for compensation.

For a laptop with an internally cracked screen, we were told that the policy only covers external damage (the repair bill exceeds $1,000). Liability for damage to my new Yamaha grand, which was kept on the truck in mid-winter without temperature control, was flat out denied, though the repair clearly states that the piano bed was warped. Liability for the grand-father clock was also denied, since I signed off that it was working when the company rep put it back together. I later discovered that the bottom of the pendulum was BENT to hold the pendulum in place in the absence of the lost screw. We were told to keep all broken items and create a list for each. That became impossible, since almost every box included something broken (from screws missing for tables to the cap missing on a lawn mower tank.)

Bekins did send a repair man to evaluate the damage, but they never agreed to send him back to do the actual repairs (e.g.: on a damaged $3,500 painting frame or a chest of drawers with a broken leg). I could go on and on, but what I have written is enough. I received 3 quotes from 3 moving companies, and Bekins were in the high middle. What sold me was their professional sales person. It turned out that our past moves with United were far, far better. We never had to file a claim before, and this time, though we are filing a claim, we will never recoup our loses.

Original review: June 24, 2021

DO NOT hire this company to help you move! We used Bekins to move from Long Beach, CA to Michigan. At first things seemed to go ok despite the packers refusing to wear masks (this was in the height of Covid last September). Little did I know, only some of our items were being loaded on to the moving truck. When the truck arrived in Michigan there were several items missing. When I say several, I mean over $3,000 worth of men's clothing and a large container of loose change I would conservatively estimate to be $300. I would've never guessed someone would steal pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters but sure enough... it disappeared.

I immediately reached out to Bekins to express my frustration and unhappiness and they agreed to do a "trace". Of course they did not find anything because my belongings never made it onto the moving truck! Now we have filed a claim and they have denied it because it was 1 day late. Someone working for Bekins stole my belongings and now Bekins will not do anything about it. Like I said, DO NOT use this company... their employees can't be trusted and neither can anyone in management.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I have used Bekins ever since my first move when I was just a young lad, this move was nothing but the same, had a local move to Bekins of South Florida & was headed out of state, from the moment the Surveyor Christian came out till the time Joe dropped off our belongings it was a delightful experience. The company is very informative & stood out amongst all the others, from breaking down and explaining each process to seeing it in motion with the crew, I am not looking forward to moving again but if I was to do so, Bekins is my company.

Original review: March 15, 2021

Bekins is a Great company and Drivers were incredible and the customer service manager Scott ** went above and beyond. If Christian ** is your salesperson RUN. He will mislead you and tell you what you want to hear. Everything I was told over and over again he very clearly repeated and we totally understood each other. The day the Delivery drivers picked up my stuff they were very professional and took great care of my daughters belongings. 2 Hours after they leave I get a call that changed everything. My delivery Date was going to be at least 7 days later than Christan Promised and needless to say I was PISSED and would have cancelled but it was too late at that point.

This is when Christian kept saying we must have had miscommunications so that he could cover his butt. I stopped speaking with him at that point and started dealing with Scott ** from Customer Service and as upset as I was with Bekins he was very professional and understood my anger but it was out of his hands as well so I made the best of it and he stayed in touch with me pretty much daily. When the Drivers delivered my daughters Belongings again they were very professional and careful with everything and placed the Furniture and Boxes where they were supposed to go. So if you ever need a Great Moving Company I would highly recommend Bekins of South Florida only if Christian ** is not your Salesperson. HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED and should not be employed to work for Bekins unless he is retrained.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Bekins Van Lines Company Information