Find a Movers partner

Help me decide
  2. Movers

4.0/5 (428 ratings)

About Bekins Van Lines

Bekins Van Lines is a moving company that offers assistance with a variety of moves, including both residential and commercial relocations. With Bekins, you can get a free estimate on its website by entering basic information about your move. The company provides comprehensive services and helps with international moves.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top Bekins Van Lines Reviews

Verified

I recently moved from Amarillo, Texas to Dallas, Texas… My experience was extremely positive. The moving crew was fast, careful with my possessions, and very efficient. They arriv...

Verified

We obtained the usual estimates for our commercial office move, and Bekins came in with the best and most detailed estimate… They arrived on schedule, were prepared and had ample ...

What is Bekins Van Lines?

Established in 1851, Bekins Van Lines is a moving company with a wide range of services, including packing, transportation and storage for both local and interstate moves. Bekins handles both commercial and residential relocations and provides agents to assist in the planning and execution of all its moves. All its employees are subject to background checks, and its moving services are available both across the country and around the globe.

Bekins Van Lines services

Bekins Van Lines offers services ranging from planning and packing to hauling and storage. For a residential move, you can start with an online ballpark estimate, then the company will arrange a free in-home estimate and provide a more precise quote. Your move will be supervised by a Bekins agent, and you can have its movers pack for you — or you can save money by packing yourself. The company offers limited liability and full replacement value protection. It also has short- and long-term storage options.

Bekins prides itself on moving everything (including industrial and medical equipment) except hazardous materials. It offers military relocation and is a service provider for the General Services Administration (GSA) and the Centralized Household Goods Traffic Management Program (CHAMP). The company can coordinate with your employer to offer relocation packages; its international relocation assistance services include language training and furniture rentals.

Bekins Van Lines costs

Bekins Van Lines has a free ballpark estimate tool for residential moves on its website; for a move from a three-bedroom apartment in San Francisco to Seattle in mid-April, one online estimate from Bekins was between $3,839.36 and $5,047.99.

To get specific pricing information from Bekins, you’ll have to request a phone call with a service agent. The average cost of a move ranges from $200 to $5,000, depending on the distance and number of belongings. You can save money by packing some of your own items and moving in the fall or winter; peak times like spring and summer tend to be more expensive. Bekins also provides breakage protection for your belongings at an additional cost.

Bekins Van Lines FAQ

Does Bekins Van Lines offer commercial moving services?
    Yes. Not only does Bekins Van Lines offer commercial moving services, but it also can move everything but hazardous materials. This includes medical equipment, office equipment, heavy machinery, IT equipment, appliances and store fixtures.
    Where is Bekins Van Lines available?
    Bekins Van Lines is available in 95% of the U.S. It also offers international moving.
    Does Bekins Van Lines have storage services?
    Bekins Van Lines offers three kinds of storage — short-term, long-term and storage-in-transit for up to 180 days. Most of the time it can have your items ready with one day’s notice.
    Does Bekins Van Lines do cross-country moves?
    Yes, Bekins Van Lines handles cross-country and international moves. If you’re moving for work, ask Bekins to contact your employer to discuss possible relocation benefits.

Is Bekins Van Lines good?

Bekins Van Lines is ideal for complicated or specialized moves and corporate relocations, but its pricing runs a bit high for residential moves. If you’re interested in its moving services, visit its website or request a quote from a customer service representative to see if its costs fit your budget and situation.

Bekins Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bekins Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

The Bekins professionals were very efficient in handling my move from New York to Florida. The care in which they took in packaging my belongings was excellent and the shipment of my belongings arrived in Florida as scheduled.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Bekins Van Lines moved us from Vancouver, WA to Arizona in 2014. As far as I know, we didn't lose anything. It just took months to find stuff in all those moving boxes. Overall a great moving company.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

A-1. Their packing was very good, timing was excellent. Employees did a neat job, and as a result for the first time no breakage, and no “missing items.” the truck was punctual in picking up as well as the final delivery, good job!!!!

Original review: March 15, 2021

Bekins is a Great company and Drivers were incredible and the customer service manager Scott ** went above and beyond. If Christian ** is your salesperson RUN. He will mislead you and tell you what you want to hear. Everything I was told over and over again he very clearly repeated and we totally understood each other. The day the Delivery drivers picked up my stuff they were very professional and took great care of my daughters belongings. 2 Hours after they leave I get a call that changed everything. My delivery Date was going to be at least 7 days later than Christan Promised and needless to say I was PISSED and would have cancelled but it was too late at that point.

This is when Christian kept saying we must have had miscommunications so that he could cover his butt. I stopped speaking with him at that point and started dealing with Scott ** from Customer Service and as upset as I was with Bekins he was very professional and understood my anger but it was out of his hands as well so I made the best of it and he stayed in touch with me pretty much daily. When the Drivers delivered my daughters Belongings again they were very professional and careful with everything and placed the Furniture and Boxes where they were supposed to go. So if you ever need a Great Moving Company I would highly recommend Bekins of South Florida only if Christian ** is not your Salesperson. HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED and should not be employed to work for Bekins unless he is retrained.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

If you want to overpay, have them not show up on time, damage all your personal belongings, not own up to any insurance claims or take any responsibility then Bekins Moving company is the right moving company for you. Beware of this company, do not use them if you want the worst experience ever in moving. I used them for a long haul move and it was a disaster from beginning to end.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Updated on 08/22/2020: I wrote a review about my CD's missing Aug 13 and I need to adjust that review. I had a friend help me pack for the move. He thought it would be funny if he took my CD's to see how long it would take me to realize they were missing!!! NOT FUNNY!!! So, I must apologize to Bekins for suggesting that they had taken my CD's. They still destroyed my coffee table and took some things apart for no apparent reason and lost the parts.

Original Review: Bekins Van Lines moved me in July. They picked up my "stuff" on Tuesday and delivered on Wednesday. They busted up my coffee table beyond repair. Today Aug 13, I was picking out a CD to play and the plastic container was empty! I proceeded to look at my other CDs and I found over 62 CD containers empty!!!! They stole over $1000 of CDs!! I also found a foot locker that was empty when it had some small tools in it. They also took things apart that did not need to be taken apart and the screws and parts are missing. DO NOT hire Bekins Van Lines in Woodbridge, VA!!!! I have called them several times about these issues and they will not call me back!!!! They are the worst moving company I have ever used. If you care about your "stuff", don't hire them!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2020

I recently relocated to Baton Rouge Louisiana from LUBBOCK Texas, and contracted through our local Hart Moving company who arranged a long distance van from Bekins-Wheaton to pick our home belongings on May 15 2020. Delivery was made May 20th, and a very expensive piece of astronomy equipment was inadvertently left on the truck. I have been in phone and text contact with the driver, a "Rocky" ** of the San Antonio area, multiple times to try and arrange to get my equipment back. "Rocky" has repeatedly lied to my face, made up excuses and strung me along now for a month.

I made a special effort to be at home last evening when he had again promised to show up, but he was once again a no-show. He has since failed to respond to texts or calls. This unprofessional and frankly passive-agressive behavior is humiliating and unacceptable. If you value your possessions and want to have a decent experience with your move, AVOID THIS COMPANY. I REPEAT; AVOID THIS COMPANY.

Original review: May 21, 2020

If you are looking for a reputable moving company may I recommend you keep looking???? This company is TOTALLY unethical! Let me tell you about MY experience! My husband and I spent almost $16,000 to be moved from Texas to North Carolina. My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer the DAY before we moved. We immediately began treatments at Duke Cancer center which delayed my unpacking as I had much more important things to worry about. Sadly my husband passed away a few weeks ago.

In looking through our paperwork with Bekins it states that you have one year from the date of your move to file a claim - BUT what they DON'T tell you is UPON DELIVERY when YOU SIGN RECEIPT OF DELIVERY YOU ARE STATING YOU HAVE RECEIVED EVERYTHING AND THEY ARE NO LONGER RESPONSIBLE!!!! How can anyone expect you to sign stating you have received everything before you have even opened the first box???? We were missing several valuable items and they have refused to pay one cent! I cannot stress enough to you that I would never use or recommend this company in any way!!! The movers walked off with our belonging and they aren't responsible???? On top of that some of our furnishing was damaged and they refuse to cover that either.Please, do yourself a favor and keep looking for a trustworthy moving company. Never will I use these people again!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

We had many preventable problems that arose by Bekins personnel undoing wrapping, overstuffing a truck, not following contracted directions and using drugs. The claims process is one of pass the ball and sign away your rights. Instead of being helpful it seems designed to shift from one person to the next. Example: the claim person cannot communicate about missing items. She simply sends me an email telling me to get in touch with yet another person. They try to get you to file one claim as it is better for them. What about me? Many of the numbers applied by the packing team were removed by others along the way of my interstate move.

We paid to have a soft sided hot tub used for my arthritis to be wrapped and shipped flat with nothing on top. It arrived on its side, unwrapped with boxes on top. Broken!! Bekins personnel unwrapped the blankets, boxes and other protective wrapping we paid to have applied to our things when the packing was done by Bekins personnel at our home. Removal of that wrapping also removed the numbers. This made it nearly impossible to track what was derived against the numbered roster. This was done to stuff more things into an overcrowded truck. We never received calls as promised about when the delivery was coming. More wasted time for us.

When the driver did finally arrive around noon, there was not sufficient help for the move (as we had been promised there would be). The driver only had one helper. This helper reeked of ** and in fact continued to smoke ** throughout the offloading process. When I reported this to Mary ** she said ”I have no proof”. I reported this because the helper was very rough with our possessions including throwing things around in the truck. I was also concerned that he would hurt himself. Mary did not seem concerned. I am not aware that ** is legal in Florida.

The driver was not aware of the two parts of the move to a house and storage unit. Details which had been provided to Bekins and its representatives again and again. The damage that has occurred was avoidable. It was quite apparent that the driver (or other Bekins personnel) had unwrapped many of the carefully wrapped items in order to stuff more in the truck. Furniture that we paid to have wrapped in blankets then in shrink wrapped and often labeled as fragile arrived without the blankets and occasionally in shrink wrap. Numbers of items were removed by this unwrapping process.

My golf clubs which were boxed at our home were unwrapped and bent into shrink wrap. A chrome table which was carefully wrapped in blankets then shrink wrapped not only had the blankets removed but several boxes had been stuffed between its shelves scratching and damaging the surface. There were not enough people to offload the truck. The ladder used to unload was rickety and too short necessitating one of the two men offloading to climb up into the truck on top of all the boxes and other items further crushing them!

The “walls” sequestering the items of one person from another were ineffective sheets of plywood which were hanging over in the truck. In fact, we were given another person’s items which we gave back to the driver. At the end of the second location offloading we were missing a large rug and pad. I looked up and saw it in another section of the truck with another person's items. We persuaded the driver to get them but find this absolutely horrible considering what we were promised. And items of ours remain missing. We were also to have received the weight of the shipment but have not even yet received those numbers. Bekins says they are a top company which holds themselves to a higher standard, taking care of customers every step of the way, does background checks on employees... I experienced none of this. I give them the top moving nightmare award!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

This was my 3rd move across the country. Previously, I’ve used Allied Vans which was outstanding. To save a few dollars, I chose Bekins. Huge and costly mistake from start to finish!!! They would not give me move out dates unless I paid an additional $150.00 as well as final destination dates. This caused me to spend more on hotel and airfare. The movers at my final destination just dropped boxes and furniture wherever they wished without me inspecting anything. Then I had to remind them over and over to send my $100.00 rebate. Don’t waste your money buying insurance. You won’t get a penny out of these scammers for damages. I highly recommend Allied to anyone going through a long distance move, Allied is very professional.

Quick and easy

Get matched with a Moving partner

Bekins Van Lines Company Information