1.23/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

222 Bekins Van Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 17, 2019

I’m not sure whether another awful review makes any difference or not, but I have to get this off my chest. My wife and I have moved across country six times and I can state unequivocally that this most recent move was almost unbelievably terrible. Among other things, although we had signed a contract to move almost a year earlier, when the time came and our house finally closed, our agent announced that he could not supply us with any packers! So it fell upon my wife and me to pack up a 4500 square-foot home, even though we were now living almost 3000 miles away. In the midst of all this, we had a family medical crisis, so we essentially had to walk away from dozens of items, cumulatively worth thousands of dollars. The folks who bought our old house were more than happy to keep it all.

When the truck driver and his crew arrived, virtually every item that they loaded was described as scratched, dented, faded, cracked, worn. So when the time came to unpack, there was no way to verify any damage. We had family heirlooms that were broken; when I submitted a request for reimbursement, the sum that was provided was paltry to say the least. I submitted a claim to their “customer service representative,” describing all of the above. She was completely indifferent. She sent me a check with no hint of an apology. I sent the check back with an even longer letter, then got the same check back with, once again, no apology. I sent copies of my correspondence with Bekins to the Better Business Bureau of Indiana and also of Washington state. Lord knows it probably won’t make any difference. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from Bekins.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Seriously, this is NOT someone you want to do business with. As former military, we have moved many, many times. We had more furniture damage on this move than all our prior moves combined. We used Bekins, which is owned by Wheaton, and they made a great sales pitch. It was all BS. They low-balled the weight estimate. They mixed our goods with another customer's goods on the truck. If you use this company, they will lose your stuff; they will break your stuff and they truly don't care. When we discovered a box was missing and asked for help locating it, the driver actually said "I don't have time for this crap."

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

ABSOLUTELY THE WORST EXPERIENCE. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE AND NEVER USE THEM. EXPENSIVE AND AWFUL. Bekins "forgot" to load 2 pieces of carefully-marked furniture that had sentimental and antique value. They destroyed an antique gilded mirror by insisting it should go in a mirror box instead of a crate. They shipped boxes of unwanted books that I now have sitting in our garage. The man who took our order got fired before the shipment got collected and he had all of the pertinent information that was then ignored. We bought insurance, but now are told that does not apply to them leaving items that then were disposed of by the cleaning service. A terrible experience and I hope no one else suffers this same way.

Original review: May 29, 2019

In short, do not use this company for interstate moves. They do not care about you or your belongings. I will detail my issues for perspective. 4/2/2019. We had Bekins and Oz moving come to our home for moving quote for a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment between Los Angeles, CA and Boca Raton, FL. Bekins cost more but offered a shorter delivery window. We also requested storage while we looked for a home in Florida. 5/3/2019. Our move out date that would allow us extra time for our items to travel cross country before my husband started his new job on 5/20. Our guaranteed arrival date was 5/17. 5/9/2019. We have yet to receive any itinerary of the items that were moved, no weight quote, nothing. We call and are told that no one will be able to tell us where the truck is until the following Monday, 5/13. If anyone is counting, that means our items will have been gone for 10 days with no accountability.

5/13/2019. We are told our truck is in Colorado. Colorado is not close to Florida and much closer to California. We are 4 days out from our guaranteed date. 5/15-5/29/2019. We have called and harassed Bekins on a daily basis for the last 2 weeks and our items (supposedly) have traversed the country at a glacial pace. As of yesterday, (5/28/2019) we received word that our truck was in Orlando. JUST KIDDING. It's in North Carolina! 26 days without our things.

26 days without furniture. 26 days of living out of a suitcase and we still don't have our things. This company does not care about you or your belongings. Please read the other Yelp reviews to see that this is not a one off. Please hire any other company to move you cross country. My heart is breaking to know that they probably lost all my belongings and don't have the cojones to admit it. We celebrated my son's first birthday in a hotel room instead of our furnished apartment as planned. We have had to purchase new clothing because our clothing is g-d knows where. Learn from our mistakes. Wish me luck. 26 days and still counting.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Interstate move from Chicago, IL to Mobile, AL.

From what I have experienced...

1. Wheaton van lines/Bekins packs your boxes with a vague label description so that once the boxes go missing you will have no idea what has been lost.
      2. If a full delivery cannot be made and they are liable for paying you for a late delivery reimbursement, Wheaton/Bekins delivers the heaviest items first so that they can claim that the majority of the weight has been delivered and thus avoid the penalty reimbursement.
      3. Even if you purchase total replacement cost insurance and Wheaton/Bekins loses boxes, they will try to pin it back on you and state they are not liable for missing boxes.

4. The claims agents will boldly lie unless you document everything with emails.

Service cost: $6,300. Order ID: **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bekins Van Lines?

Original review: April 23, 2019

Allen from A1MovesTexas.com showed up to Dallas apt to pack items. All went ok until movers arrived at destination with missing inventory items (expensive drill set and designer backpack, tote, pillows etc.) and damaged furniture. I specifically got full replacement insurance for this purpose and paid extra for it. Then the claims process began. I showed them where missing items could be purchased. They found other lower prices from unheard of websites and wanted to pay lower prices than Amazon and did not want to reimburse me for taxes and shipping, not to mention warranty expenses.

Further, the two most expensive items that were missing, which their own driver said must have been stolen, they are refusing to reimburse me stating that if I think they were stolen go file a police report. It's insane... They picked up a drill-set and designer bag, then did not deliver it at destination, and now are saying go file a police report and deal with it yourself: No reimbursement!! What they forgot to tell me is that the insurance company WVLCorp.com is their own. Movers also damaged walls of my BRAND NEW apartment... Reimbursement offered was $100. I was thinking my experience would be different than that of the typical bait and switch stories you hear...but no...this is not even a case of being overcharged, I quite literally feel robbed by Bekins. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have never worked with a more shady company than Bekins and A and P Moving. They came out and gave us an estimate for our move out of state and for using their storage services for 3 months. Mr. ** underestimated the weight by half! So they kept our belongings in their storage facility for months without ever giving us the courtesy of a phone call to let us know that the cost of our move would double! Additionally, A and P Moving sold us an insurance package and told us we could cancel it anytime before the moving truck left their warehouse in Novato, which we did. Once the truck arrived at our new home, the driver was told not to unload until we paid for the insurance, another $600!

The driver also told us that the insurance was cancelled prior to him leaving the warehouse and he didn't know why he was being told not to unload. I contacted Bekins directly for an explanation as to how a bid could be off by half and they refused to acknowledge the unethical business practices used by A and P Moving. Ultimately Bekins just stopped responding after my first response to their lack of explanation. I have a hard time believing that this was an accident. To not inform the customer of an error this large is unacceptable. We should have went with the company that was a little more pricey. We would have saved thousands.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Moved from N CA to E PA Mar 2018. I would never use this company again. Six major moves and never had missing items until this one from furniture to kitchen to clothes. Advised by Bekins there is no proof of these items. Letters also to Pres & CEO no response. I was advised they questioned everyone involved and all said they had no idea. REALLY!? Also left message for driver and no response. Also their insurance only covers items to damage they actually pack. Other movers have covered damage regardless of who packs. Had I taken the time to read reviews I would never had used them.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

We hired Bekins based on their good faith estimate for our move. This estimate was given in our home after a thorough inspection of our possessions. Bekins sent 2 people to pack our 5 bedroom home, one of whom changed daily and was often their FIRST DAY ON THE JOB. THE PACKING WAS SHODDY AND THEY STAYED AT OUR HOME TILL 11PM the night before the move. STILL DID NOT REALLY COMPLETE THE JOB. The loaders and my family were still packing the morning the truck arrived.

Upon arrival at our new home we were told that the amount would be 40 PERCENT MORE and that we had to pay at least 10 percent of that ON THE SPOT or our items would not be unloaded. I contacted Bekins for weeks trying to resolve this financial dispute, and when I finally received a callback, they said since it is not a binding estimate we had to pay what they claimed we owed. I have spent months in dispute with them only to end up paying almost 30 percent more than quoted. DO NOT HIRE THIS COMPANY. THEY ENGAGE IN DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES AND YOU WILL HAVE NO RECOURSE OTHER THAN A LAWSUIT. Save yourself the hassle and lies and find a reputable mover.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I hired Bekins to pack and move me from Palm Beach, FL to NJ. I interviewed three movers and while they were the most expensive, the good online ratings moved me to hire them. I have expensive furniture and art and expressed concern about the move from the beginning. To ensure the safety of my items, I purchased an additional $50k insurance.

The packers and movers in FL were fine. Once the items left my home, the problems started. Communication challenges -- 1) I called re arrival of my items/delivery date in NJ and they couldn't tell me. 2) I heard from them less than 24 hours before they were delivering and I was told I had no choice -- the delivery date and time were not negotiable. 3) Unreliable staff bookings-- the delivery truck showed up and the driver and I were left waiting for 2 hours for manpower to unpack the truck. There was a miscommunication and booked the 3 person team for another job in NYC and ended up only sending 2 movers to my home -- making for a very long day.

Damaged goods -- Multiple large furniture items were damaged -- soiled and from using moving tape directly on the items. I photographed each item. Unfair claims policy -- You cannot submit more than one claim. So rather than immediately sending my claim, I had to wait until everything was unpacked. Due to life circumstances, this took some time. Knowing my expensive furniture was soiled and not wanting the stains to set in, I hired a professional cleaner. Thankfully, the cleaner was able to remove the stains.

I submitted the dated photographs and the cleaning bill and I was refused reimbursement -- despite the extra insurance -- b/c I didn't follow their policy of waiting. I am glad I didn't wait as the cleaning bill was far less than replacement of even one item. The other items I made claims on and didn't repair didn't fare much better. They spent time and monies sending an inspector -- more time from me away from work. They then provided a fraction of the replacement value. I now need to spend time hiring a repair person to attend to their mistakes. And to add insult to injury, this entire process took more than 8 weeks. Unclear what the extra insurance costs provided beyond my spending more money with them. Extremely disappointed. I would NOT recommend or rehire. Grateful more items weren't damaged in the move.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We have done four major moves cross country in my lifetime. We have used several large corporations with very little issue. This last move we chose BEKINS to move from Miami to Los Angeles. This is been the worst experience from start to finish. Not only were they not able to have enough room on one truck for all of our items, we had to wait for a second delivery truck to come a week later with our remaining belongings.

During the course of the move several things were damaged including a spin bike, two floor lamps etc... But the most alarming thing is I had over $24,000 worth of high-end watches and jewelry stolen from me. When I asked to have a list of all the names and contact information for the police report the moving company was not able to provide all the names of the people that were in my home. They allowed illegal packers and movers in my home. It's very unsettling knowing that the people have not had background checks done and were able to steal my items without the company knowing who these people are without being able to track them. Total invasion of my privacy and security of my family.

These people could probably come back at any given time to my home to rob or harm us. I made a police report and filed a claim with the moving company and all they want to do is settle for $445. This is absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't stop here! How can a major corporation allow people into your home without credentials? Not acceptable. Not legal. Not ethical.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Paid 1000 for insurance to cover merchandise if damaged, sent pictures of damage and proof of purchases. Was told that is not covered, why did I purchase insurance then. On top of that claim address was given to me wrong, spent 10.00 to go to wrong address certified, called asked about claim was told never received wrong address, another 10.00 to send copies. Now I have a garage full of damaged items and no reimbursement and the runaround. Second time I used them left the damaged slide first time not this time way to much damage, when they unloaded into the garage they piled things high in front of other things so you could not see anything. You can't climb on top of boxes to see the back of the garage.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

The person who came to our house to give us an estimate was not straightforward with their method of pricing. First of all he used their Bill of Lading to fill out the pricing and spilled his coffee on our copy so that it was not legible. He asked if we wanted extra coverage and gave us a choice from three different amounts--the middle being $250. Never did he say this was a deductible and if anything was broken that we would have to pay this amount before it would get repaired.

Also, we were charged $304 for this $250 deductible which did not come to light that we had been charged $304 since they did not provide a copy of the estimate until weeks after our move. We were never given the yellow copy which turned out to be the estimate. Not until a complaint was filed with the BBB was this copy provided and they insisted it was filled out and given to us on the day the man came to our house. That was a lie. They also did not provide us with an invoice until after the complaint was filed. They refused to repair the broken desk until we paid the $250 which they called a deductible.

I refuse to pay them any more money as they also tried to stick me with the amount it cost them when one uses a credit card even though they only accepted that type of payment. They also charged my credit card several days before the move took place. I would advise anyone considering using this company to do a lot of research and make sure you get copies of every document they fill out as they are a very dishonest company. My roll top desk will not be repaired by them as I refuse to pay them any more money.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I was charged $15,000 to move 4 bedroom from Livermore CA to Phoenix AZ (700 miles). Is that called Scam, or Robbery? Here is how the Scam works. Phase 1 was to pack and move the furniture to the storage till I was ready for delivery. Phase 1 cost $5,000 (paid). What I did not know is once they have the furniture you are at their mercy to charge you whatever they want. And they did charge me $10,000 to deliver.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I was initially prepared to give Bekins high marks and I was very happy with the driver. I used them for a major cross country move. He treated my belongings as if they were his own. My problems came from using their packing service. I had multiple items disappear. They were not inside the boxes with the rooms with which they should have been packed. I had just one item get broken due to being packed improperly. When I contacted their claims department they said that they would do a trace for missing items, but if I suspected theft I needed to furnish them with the receipts for the times and also do a police report for theft of property. I did all of the above.

After complying with all of the extra paperwork they said that their people did not admit to taking the items and that I signed for all of my boxes, even though they understood that no boxes are ever opened when one signs for the initial drop off. The Watch Commander at my local police station said that it was an exercise in futility, that this happens all the time, and that a poor moving company will not accept responsibility. He said that he always recommends that people who suffer these losses take the moving companies to small claims court. After doing what they asked in gathering all of the extra paperwork the claims representative told me that Bekins would not take responsibility for any possible theft by their employees. I would not use this company again, nor would I recommend them to anyone else.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Bekins moved our vehicles across country. The driver somehow talked us into loading our car into his trailer. He neglected to completely tie the car down and we came home to a $3,000.00 repair bill. After a $30,000 move Bekins wouldn't even call us back. And... the customer service survey got lost. TWICE!!! Shop around and use a professional to move your vehicle. Way overpriced!!!

Original review: April 25, 2018

Prestige Van Lines moved my household items from Kentucky to Texas in August of 2017. Upon all of my household items being loaded onto a rental truck, I was told that I need to pay the driver an additional 4K in CASH to "guarantee the delivery of my household items to Texas". This was on top of the initial agreed upon pick up amount. I refused to pay them and sure enough, they rifled through our personal items and stole my son's entire wardrobe and all of his Nike shoe collection (we did receive some of the empty boxes). They damaged and broke every piece of furniture that I had which was all less than a year old. They have offered a settlement of $64.00. This amount doesn't even cover the photos that I had to print off and the of the claim due to them not accepting electronic payments.

Upon deliver of my items, I had a cashier's check, as requested. When the driver arrived to deliver my items, he told me they would only take cash and that if I didn't give him cash, they would take my stuff with them and charge me an additional $200/day for storage fees. They are stealing from the consumer and are somehow getting away with this and it needs to stop! Amir was fully involved in this and told me that my items were routed to NJ for "reworking and loading on a different truck". What really took place is that they helped themselves to our property. Boxes that I personally packed and sealed and been opened and resealed. I found other personal baby photos of some man named "Eddy" in my personal boxes. I'm a single mom and feel as if they targeting me as I would make an easy victim. This is a perfect example of extortion!

Original review: April 22, 2018

This review may help if you are planning a move! DO NOT use Bekins or The North Country Pickers!! Moving from NH to NC was the MOVE FROM HELL! On moving day it was to begin about 8 am. We secured & paid for parking spaces. 3 hours later they did not show. I called. They said that I had the wrong date. I said “no way. I confirmed 2 days prior and I have the contract and email to prove that I was correct“! Finally they showed hours later which put us behind because we were driving! I called five days after arriving at our destination. I was again told it would be another 5 days!!!

Meanwhile we are sleeping on air mattresses and eating take-out! Finally the delivery day. The movers show only to pull from a Bekins truck, wet mattresses & box springs, wet cardboard boxes and the driver who was the driver that quit on our moving day was mortified! He made several call to his employer at NCP and was told that he would compensate us for the damages! I took pictures of the damages and emailed both North Country Pickers and Bekins! I prepaid the charges like a fool! NEVER PREPAY! We lost a few photos, we are missing a box labeled kitchen.

My daughter zip tied a wicker chest with drawers as it contain private, personal info such as social security # tax returns and her nursing license number. Someone cut the zip ties!!! I waited 5 days expecting a call to discuss the issues... None came from either comp. I called Bekins, left messages, no one called. The following week I called again and actually spoke with a person. After exposing how I felt and the disappointment she said she would call me back. When she did call me she offered $150 for our “troubles”. She wasn’t at all sympathetic and I told her that Bekins truck caused the damages and that nothing had been wrapped as promised! So, a $150 dollars is an insult. I will do as many reviews as I can! DO YOUR HOMEWORK! NEVER PREPAY and do not hire Bekins or The North Country Pickers!!!

Original review: April 9, 2018

When we chose Bekins for our move from Phoenix to Ohio we were very specific about how our goods were insurance against damage or loss, the salesman who was a typical slick-tongued salesman told us with 6000.00 worth of insurance would cover damage and loss. Never did he explain that their policy is to ONLY pay 70 cents per pound per item. We filed a claim for 2,064.76 for our damaged and lost items and they paid us 210.00! They completely destroyed two very large art pieces and told us to get a replacement estimate, we did, it came to 1368.00, they paid us 72.00! Our burl wood TV stand was scratched beyond repair, the replacement value was 499.00, they paid 68.00!

The company uses deceptive tactics to reel in customers then screws them over in the end. When we were in the Air Force and had to move, Bekins was contracted for our move, that time they stole six of my husband’s business suits, broke our vacuum, and stole all of his craftsman tools. I was anxious using Bekins again but my husband felt confident in the sales “pitch.” DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! THEY ARE ROTTEN TO THE CORE!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

We had Maffucci come out and give us a quote for moving our belongings 5 miles from a house to an apt. We packed up the house ourselves. We agreed on the price and proceeded with the move. The movers were pretty good. Easy to work with and works to please you. Before they left (they had a small load that went to our daughter's house that was 2.5 miles away), they tried to get my daughter's Visa, she refused. BIG WARNING!!! Our problem began when 2 days after the move, we get a call that our final bill was 50% more than what we were told. They went ahead and took the money out of our account before we could see an ITEMIZED statement. They sent us a worthless invoice that told us nothing. We called our bank and stopped payment but the owner MR. LEVINE submitted a phony document that somehow had our signature on it. The bank ok'd the payment.

We took them to small claims court where our case was heard by a mediator. If we didn't like his decision then we could then go in front of a judge. The day we went to court, Mr. Levine (who is very much a pro at this, as seen by his actions), sends his bookkeeper to sit and wait until our case was going to be heard. When it came time to going in, the snake shows up. What came out of this case was that this jerk had a second quote that was for more than 50% of the original quote. He also said we used 50 of his boxes. That was an out and out lie. We bought our boxes except for 6. It clearly was fraud. I have never, ever in my life ever felt so cheated, so violate as I have with my experience with this company. We somewhat won, as they couldn't even add the numbers right for labor. Overall we lost a lot of money and I mean a lot. Almost $10, 000 to pack a pod up, move 5 miles and drop off at my daughter's 2.5 miles away.

We had another company quote us for a few hundred more than Maffucci. So we felt what we paid was fair. Mr. Levine lied, committed fraud. It's just not right. I will never, ever use this company again, nor will I recommend them. Mr. Levine, the biggest snake I know, cheated us out of our money and then lied and presented phony documents. He's a pro at going to court, he knows what to do. Please just do your homework, really look into moving companies. Don't read the reviews on FB or his website. Of course he won't post the complaints. I thought I did my homework but I was so wrong. My husband found many complaints about Levine charging way in excess of the quoted price. If I can save one person from using this moving company, then I did my job. I just hope that it won't be just one!!!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Declined ALL liability for many, many missing items and damaged items because delivered to a storage unit, Delivered day before requested in person to driver at my home. I was at a hotel waiting for son to drive from MA to FL. I had to take a taxi by myself (elderly) and could NOT stand hours while they unloaded into storage unit. Very rude driver from Wheaton arguing with me, trying to buy my stuff and telling me he was to deliver two days ago. Would not leave unless I signed his many papers that I could NOT read and no way to check jammed in broken items until another day.

They took items apart and now have many missing parts like legs to tables rendering items useless. I had 3 units but they jammed almost all in one scratching, denting and damaging items. Missing a lot of antiques from our garage that were NOT delivered to unit, Why sell me insurance if they knew they would NOT cover delivery to a storage unit? Do not use this company... Very deceitful and rude customer service. Bought insurance and was declined for all over $3,637 missing & damaged items.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Bekins lies about everything. Terrible communication. Rude workers. Delivery date was missed and they didn't care. Many items arrived damaged. Many parts on items still missing. Lost six boxes. I can't emphasize how bad this company is. Please do not go through the misery we went through with them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I moved from California to Pennsylvania in June. I chose Bekins because they gave me the tightest delivery window. Little did I know that their contract was a lie. They took my goods, kept them in CA for a while then shipped them with a trucker. Their delivery was 6 days after the last date in the delivery window. As others have mentioned, Bekins/Wheaton seems to be just a shell. They broke 75% of my wood furniture. I had rented several storage units and they crammed the bulk of my goods into the easy drive-up unit. As a result, the door jammed and most of my household goods are 100% inaccessible. Nobody knows how to extricate my goods when I move into my home in 4 weeks.

I had asked the driver not to cram all of this into the unit since I needed some space in order to get estimates for the repairs and I also had 2 climate controlled units. Putting things in climate control takes a bit longer since there are doors and hallways versus a drive-up. Bekins will not help to fix the problem that they created. I would never recommend them. They are absolutely terrible. I have never in my life experienced such poor customer service and lack of professionalism. It's a wonder they are in business.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

We used Bekins for a move in June 2017. It was an absolutely miserable experience. They broke down every piece of furniture we owned, which was expected and fine. The problem was, they took all the separate pieces and parts of our furniture and put them in different boxes that they did not label. This has made it excruciatingly difficult to sort and reassemble our furniture on the other end -- particularly because we've downsized and needed to put half the boxes in storage. It's been over a month since the move and we still have no idea where critically important pieces and parts to our furniture are located. One example: they disconnected the power cord from our television and then put it in a completely separate box that was not labeled in any way.

This meant that we couldn't have our cable set up until the power cord was found. It took nearly three weeks of searching through boxes before we were able to find that power cord. Why did they even detach it in the first place?!? That is just one example, but it applies to nearly every piece of furniture and equipment we own. I've had to reorder all of the hardware from the manufacturers for most of our furniture. This whole process has been a complete and utter DISASTER! The worst part is, when I've called Bekins customer service to explain what happened, they don't even have the basic decency to answer or return a phone call. Stay away from this company at all costs. There have to be better alternatives than this.

Original review: July 24, 2017

This company falsely represented its model of business. They claim they are an all-inclusive company that moves your items from place to place but they don't actually operate a single thing. They are simply a brokerage firm that sells your contract with them to the highest bidder (one of those tiny independent companies with terrible reviews online that cannot get business with their name that you were desperately trying to avoid in the first place).

I was promised a strict move date and arrival as my schedule is very rigid and if any issues arose or anything was damaged they would handle it. Two days before my move, a strange company I had never heard of called and told me they would be handling my move and that they couldn't accommodate my dates. They didn't apologize or try to work with me, they just informed me that my dates were not valid and that they would get my belongings on their own schedule. I was livid as it was far too late to find a new company at this point.

When I tried to get an agent at Bekins Van Lines to help me they were all unavailable. I called and called and no one would talk to me about problems with a move. Finally, I called from a different line pretending I was a new customer and someone was immediately available to take my business. Furious, I told that person I was actually a dissatisfied customer who need the help that was promised should issues come up and threatened to cancel the contract and get an attorney as my dates were included in writing. They found another driver who would work with me (albeit from another unknown company that was not Bekins Van Lines).

The day of the move, I waited all morning and no one came. Nervous and stressed out of my mind, I called Bekins Van Lines again and told them that the apartment building I lived in was planning to kick me out that day and would have all my belongings disposed off at my cost if I was not gone by evening (which was the truth). They sent a crew out of day laborers and took my things and impounded them at a storage facility where they remained for weeks and would not give me any information.

A few weeks later, my items arrived at my new home the very last possible day in my contract with little forewarning. I was traveling for work at the time and unable to let the movers in myself, but my new building helped and opened the door for them and she said the movers Bekins Van Lines farmed my contract out to were extremely rude and belligerent. My credit card was then charged by that company that I had never before heard about. Many items were damaged and when I filed a claim for one treasured broken keepsake, they sent a letter saying their eight pages of paperwork included a secret clause that stipulated that all damaged items were subject to 60 cents per pound liability for the carrier and since my item weighed ten pounds, I was reimbursed $6 when I had a receipt that it cost $130 to replace. DO NOT BOOK WITH BEKINS VAN LINES.

Original review: June 14, 2017

In Mar. 2017, I used the Auburn Moving Company (Bekins) to move back to my home state of WI after my husband passed away. I only had a partial shipment, and yet all my items could not be placed in one truck, so I had two deliveries on or about 4/12/2017 and 4/22/2017. Since unpacking, I discovered missing household items, personal items, and items that belonged to my deceased husband which I can not replace. (Today I discovered I am missing glassware from Denmark that my oldest brother had bequeathed me in 1991 before he passed away. He was in Denmark where he bought the glasses.) Not only have my things vanished, but my dining room table, one of the last purchases made by my husband and I before he passed, had been scratched and has a gouge on it.

Things just I filed a complaint with Bekins, I received one call from them stating they would put out a trace on my items, since then I have not heard a word. I have called the company, they do not return my calls, I have emailed the company, they do not respond! They have taken no responsibility for their actions. I had filed with my insurance company, and they provided some funds for my missing items. Why should they cover this when this all falls on Bekins? I cannot understand why my items could not be traced, unless they were just stolen. Wow, unbelievable. I just now got a call Wheaton, the parent of Bekins, and they had no explanation as to why my things are missing. They told me they were not able to trace back the items. This is truly incredible, NO ONE is RESPONSIBLE!

Bekins is a totally irresponsible company. So be very wary folks, as this could happen to you.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I had an in home estimate on Friday with Bekins and verbally booked the move. They took no deposit but the rep told me, "dispatch would confirm a date within a day." I notified other potential movers that I had booked my move. After 3 days of no response to my emails and phone calls, they finally got back to me and said they could not find a driver and that they had a blackout on new moves for the rest of the 25 days left in the month. They left me scrambling to find a mover within a short time span.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Bekins moved my furniture from the East Coast to the West Coast where it was placed in their storage facility. We had a total of 12 vaults. My husband and I made an appointment to check one of the vault to remove some furniture. When we arrived one of the warehouse employees dropped the vault with some of our most expensive and one-of-a-kind pieces. The warehouse manager admitted that it was their fault. They have yet to resolve our loss. And we have had to hire an attorney to assist us in settling payment on the items that were busted to shreds.

It was our dining table, a sofa by Hickory chair, a vintage art deco, a mirror and an antique Chinese altar table. The total cost of the damages were approximately $30,000. We have been in touch with the warehouse manager and Bekins headquarters. After having said that they were responsible for the loss. They have done nothing to replace or even to communicate their attempt at resolving our damaged goods.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I was moving from Las Vegas to South Carolina. Bekins scheduled my move on April 28 & 29. On the 27th I found out that the driver was not coming until the 29th. Turns out my estimator lowballed the weight by 5000 pounds. Additionally they could not fit everything on the truck and said they would pick up the overflow. They finished loading what they could fit into the truck after 12 hours.The following Wednesday they picked it up and said I would be charged an additional $1200.

I planned for delivery in South Carolina for Monday, 8 days later. On Saturday the driver called and asked to delay delivery until Tuesday. On late Monday night he sent a message that he could not deliver on Tuesday, but maybe Wednesday. I was continuously in contact with customer service and got a lot of sympathy but they were unwilling to make any adjustments in pricing. Bekins has no concept of treating the customer fairly. Even though all the issues in this move were the fault of Bekins, they indicated that you, as a customer should accept everything quietly. Still awaiting my delivery date. I recommend not to use Bekins!

Original review: April 13, 2017

I booked my April moving date in early January with BEKINS. As I had a lot of valuable items, I was given a rough estimate and was aware that might eventually change upon the actual move. All OK. I went ahead with my plans, set up with various charities dates of collection. The Wednesday before the Monday move, Bekins sent out an estimator for a final quote. The man came out, highly complimented my pieces of furniture even asking me where I had purchased them. All was well I thought. ALAS, the very Wednesday afternoon I got a text message from my contact person, informing me the move was off, due to condition issues. I was baffled, called the contact person, true the apartment is full of boxes, which one might expect due to the time frame.

I was recovering from a flood caused by the dishwasher, and had a towel present to cope with the water, this happened shortly before the estimator was due to arrive. He obviously saw my two cats, and assumed even though I had explained the cause of the flood. Anyway he is probably not a cat lover, by the way my cats are very clean. The apartment was in disarray as I previously mentioned would be expected. But in good condition. I had a signed agreement with Bekins, but they were not concerned. Too bad we cancelled the move. This company is a mess and that is why their reviews are so bad. I wish I had researched them better, before I booked them. I only hope that anyone reading this review is deterred from hiring this unreliable company. I would have saved myself the trouble if I had read the reviews left from other dissatisfied customers/victims. I am reeling from the shock.

Bekins Van Lines Company Information