1.25/5
Based on 109 reviews that contain star ratings

Discover the right moving company for you

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

213 Bekins Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I hired Bekins to pack and move me from Palm Beach, FL to NJ. I interviewed three movers and while they were the most expensive, the good online ratings moved me to hire them. I have expensive furniture and art and expressed concern about the move from the beginning. To ensure the safety of my items, I purchased an additional $50k insurance.

The packers and movers in FL were fine. Once the items left my home, the problems started. Communication challenges -- 1) I called re arrival of my items/delivery date in NJ and they couldn't tell me. 2) I heard from them less than 24 hours before they were delivering and I was told I had no choice -- the delivery date and time were not negotiable. 3) Unreliable staff bookings-- the delivery truck showed up and the driver and I were left waiting for 2 hours for manpower to unpack the truck. There was a miscommunication and booked the 3 person team for another job in NYC and ended up only sending 2 movers to my home -- making for a very long day.

Damaged goods -- Multiple large furniture items were damaged -- soiled and from using moving tape directly on the items. I photographed each item. Unfair claims policy -- You cannot submit more than one claim. So rather than immediately sending my claim, I had to wait until everything was unpacked. Due to life circumstances, this took some time. Knowing my expensive furniture was soiled and not wanting the stains to set in, I hired a professional cleaner. Thankfully, the cleaner was able to remove the stains.

I submitted the dated photographs and the cleaning bill and I was refused reimbursement -- despite the extra insurance -- b/c I didn't follow their policy of waiting. I am glad I didn't wait as the cleaning bill was far less than replacement of even one item. The other items I made claims on and didn't repair didn't fare much better. They spent time and monies sending an inspector -- more time from me away from work. They then provided a fraction of the replacement value. I now need to spend time hiring a repair person to attend to their mistakes. And to add insult to injury, this entire process took more than 8 weeks. Unclear what the extra insurance costs provided beyond my spending more money with them. Extremely disappointed. I would NOT recommend or rehire. Grateful more items weren't damaged in the move.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We have done four major moves cross country in my lifetime. We have used several large corporations with very little issue. This last move we chose BEKINS to move from Miami to Los Angeles. This is been the worst experience from start to finish. Not only were they not able to have enough room on one truck for all of our items, we had to wait for a second delivery truck to come a week later with our remaining belongings.

During the course of the move several things were damaged including a spin bike, two floor lamps etc... But the most alarming thing is I had over $24,000 worth of high-end watches and jewelry stolen from me. When I asked to have a list of all the names and contact information for the police report the moving company was not able to provide all the names of the people that were in my home. They allowed illegal packers and movers in my home. It's very unsettling knowing that the people have not had background checks done and were able to steal my items without the company knowing who these people are without being able to track them. Total invasion of my privacy and security of my family.

These people could probably come back at any given time to my home to rob or harm us. I made a police report and filed a claim with the moving company and all they want to do is settle for $445. This is absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't stop here! How can a major corporation allow people into your home without credentials? Not acceptable. Not legal. Not ethical.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Paid 1000 for insurance to cover merchandise if damaged, sent pictures of damage and proof of purchases. Was told that is not covered, why did I purchase insurance then. On top of that claim address was given to me wrong, spent 10.00 to go to wrong address certified, called asked about claim was told never received wrong address, another 10.00 to send copies. Now I have a garage full of damaged items and no reimbursement and the runaround. Second time I used them left the damaged slide first time not this time way to much damage, when they unloaded into the garage they piled things high in front of other things so you could not see anything. You can't climb on top of boxes to see the back of the garage.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

The person who came to our house to give us an estimate was not straightforward with their method of pricing. First of all he used their Bill of Lading to fill out the pricing and spilled his coffee on our copy so that it was not legible. He asked if we wanted extra coverage and gave us a choice from three different amounts--the middle being $250. Never did he say this was a deductible and if anything was broken that we would have to pay this amount before it would get repaired.

Also, we were charged $304 for this $250 deductible which did not come to light that we had been charged $304 since they did not provide a copy of the estimate until weeks after our move. We were never given the yellow copy which turned out to be the estimate. Not until a complaint was filed with the BBB was this copy provided and they insisted it was filled out and given to us on the day the man came to our house. That was a lie. They also did not provide us with an invoice until after the complaint was filed. They refused to repair the broken desk until we paid the $250 which they called a deductible.

I refuse to pay them any more money as they also tried to stick me with the amount it cost them when one uses a credit card even though they only accepted that type of payment. They also charged my credit card several days before the move took place. I would advise anyone considering using this company to do a lot of research and make sure you get copies of every document they fill out as they are a very dishonest company. My roll top desk will not be repaired by them as I refuse to pay them any more money.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I was charged $15,000 to move 4 bedroom from Livermore CA to Phoenix AZ (700 miles). Is that called Scam, or Robbery? Here is how the Scam works. Phase 1 was to pack and move the furniture to the storage till I was ready for delivery. Phase 1 cost $5,000 (paid). What I did not know is once they have the furniture you are at their mercy to charge you whatever they want. And they did charge me $10,000 to deliver.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bekins Van Lines?

Original review: May 27, 2018

I was initially prepared to give Bekins high marks and I was very happy with the driver. I used them for a major cross country move. He treated my belongings as if they were his own. My problems came from using their packing service. I had multiple items disappear. They were not inside the boxes with the rooms with which they should have been packed. I had just one item get broken due to being packed improperly. When I contacted their claims department they said that they would do a trace for missing items, but if I suspected theft I needed to furnish them with the receipts for the times and also do a police report for theft of property. I did all of the above.

After complying with all of the extra paperwork they said that their people did not admit to taking the items and that I signed for all of my boxes, even though they understood that no boxes are ever opened when one signs for the initial drop off. The Watch Commander at my local police station said that it was an exercise in futility, that this happens all the time, and that a poor moving company will not accept responsibility. He said that he always recommends that people who suffer these losses take the moving companies to small claims court. After doing what they asked in gathering all of the extra paperwork the claims representative told me that Bekins would not take responsibility for any possible theft by their employees. I would not use this company again, nor would I recommend them to anyone else.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Bekins moved our vehicles across country. The driver somehow talked us into loading our car into his trailer. He neglected to completely tie the car down and we came home to a $3,000.00 repair bill. After a $30,000 move Bekins wouldn't even call us back. And... the customer service survey got lost. TWICE!!! Shop around and use a professional to move your vehicle. Way overpriced!!!

Original review: April 25, 2018

Prestige Van Lines moved my household items from Kentucky to Texas in August of 2017. Upon all of my household items being loaded onto a rental truck, I was told that I need to pay the driver an additional 4K in CASH to "guarantee the delivery of my household items to Texas". This was on top of the initial agreed upon pick up amount. I refused to pay them and sure enough, they rifled through our personal items and stole my son's entire wardrobe and all of his Nike shoe collection (we did receive some of the empty boxes). They damaged and broke every piece of furniture that I had which was all less than a year old. They have offered a settlement of $64.00. This amount doesn't even cover the photos that I had to print off and the of the claim due to them not accepting electronic payments.

Upon deliver of my items, I had a cashier's check, as requested. When the driver arrived to deliver my items, he told me they would only take cash and that if I didn't give him cash, they would take my stuff with them and charge me an additional $200/day for storage fees. They are stealing from the consumer and are somehow getting away with this and it needs to stop! Amir was fully involved in this and told me that my items were routed to NJ for "reworking and loading on a different truck". What really took place is that they helped themselves to our property. Boxes that I personally packed and sealed and been opened and resealed. I found other personal baby photos of some man named "Eddy" in my personal boxes. I'm a single mom and feel as if they targeting me as I would make an easy victim. This is a perfect example of extortion!

Original review: April 22, 2018

This review may help if you are planning a move! DO NOT use Bekins or The North Country Pickers!! Moving from NH to NC was the MOVE FROM HELL! On moving day it was to begin about 8 am. We secured & paid for parking spaces. 3 hours later they did not show. I called. They said that I had the wrong date. I said “no way. I confirmed 2 days prior and I have the contract and email to prove that I was correct“! Finally they showed hours later which put us behind because we were driving! I called five days after arriving at our destination. I was again told it would be another 5 days!!!

Meanwhile we are sleeping on air mattresses and eating take-out! Finally the delivery day. The movers show only to pull from a Bekins truck, wet mattresses & box springs, wet cardboard boxes and the driver who was the driver that quit on our moving day was mortified! He made several call to his employer at NCP and was told that he would compensate us for the damages! I took pictures of the damages and emailed both North Country Pickers and Bekins! I prepaid the charges like a fool! NEVER PREPAY! We lost a few photos, we are missing a box labeled kitchen.

My daughter zip tied a wicker chest with drawers as it contain private, personal info such as social security # tax returns and her nursing license number. Someone cut the zip ties!!! I waited 5 days expecting a call to discuss the issues... None came from either comp. I called Bekins, left messages, no one called. The following week I called again and actually spoke with a person. After exposing how I felt and the disappointment she said she would call me back. When she did call me she offered $150 for our “troubles”. She wasn’t at all sympathetic and I told her that Bekins truck caused the damages and that nothing had been wrapped as promised! So, a $150 dollars is an insult. I will do as many reviews as I can! DO YOUR HOMEWORK! NEVER PREPAY and do not hire Bekins or The North Country Pickers!!!

Original review: April 9, 2018

When we chose Bekins for our move from Phoenix to Ohio we were very specific about how our goods were insurance against damage or loss, the salesman who was a typical slick-tongued salesman told us with 6000.00 worth of insurance would cover damage and loss. Never did he explain that their policy is to ONLY pay 70 cents per pound per item. We filed a claim for 2,064.76 for our damaged and lost items and they paid us 210.00! They completely destroyed two very large art pieces and told us to get a replacement estimate, we did, it came to 1368.00, they paid us 72.00! Our burl wood TV stand was scratched beyond repair, the replacement value was 499.00, they paid 68.00!

The company uses deceptive tactics to reel in customers then screws them over in the end. When we were in the Air Force and had to move, Bekins was contracted for our move, that time they stole six of my husband’s business suits, broke our vacuum, and stole all of his craftsman tools. I was anxious using Bekins again but my husband felt confident in the sales “pitch.” DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! THEY ARE ROTTEN TO THE CORE!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

We had Maffucci come out and give us a quote for moving our belongings 5 miles from a house to an apt. We packed up the house ourselves. We agreed on the price and proceeded with the move. The movers were pretty good. Easy to work with and works to please you. Before they left (they had a small load that went to our daughter's house that was 2.5 miles away), they tried to get my daughter's Visa, she refused. BIG WARNING!!! Our problem began when 2 days after the move, we get a call that our final bill was 50% more than what we were told. They went ahead and took the money out of our account before we could see an ITEMIZED statement. They sent us a worthless invoice that told us nothing. We called our bank and stopped payment but the owner MR. LEVINE submitted a phony document that somehow had our signature on it. The bank ok'd the payment.

We took them to small claims court where our case was heard by a mediator. If we didn't like his decision then we could then go in front of a judge. The day we went to court, Mr. Levine (who is very much a pro at this, as seen by his actions), sends his bookkeeper to sit and wait until our case was going to be heard. When it came time to going in, the snake shows up. What came out of this case was that this jerk had a second quote that was for more than 50% of the original quote. He also said we used 50 of his boxes. That was an out and out lie. We bought our boxes except for 6. It clearly was fraud. I have never, ever in my life ever felt so cheated, so violate as I have with my experience with this company. We somewhat won, as they couldn't even add the numbers right for labor. Overall we lost a lot of money and I mean a lot. Almost $10, 000 to pack a pod up, move 5 miles and drop off at my daughter's 2.5 miles away.

We had another company quote us for a few hundred more than Maffucci. So we felt what we paid was fair. Mr. Levine lied, committed fraud. It's just not right. I will never, ever use this company again, nor will I recommend them. Mr. Levine, the biggest snake I know, cheated us out of our money and then lied and presented phony documents. He's a pro at going to court, he knows what to do. Please just do your homework, really look into moving companies. Don't read the reviews on FB or his website. Of course he won't post the complaints. I thought I did my homework but I was so wrong. My husband found many complaints about Levine charging way in excess of the quoted price. If I can save one person from using this moving company, then I did my job. I just hope that it won't be just one!!!

Original review: March 30, 2018

Declined ALL liability for many, many missing items and damaged items because delivered to a storage unit, Delivered day before requested in person to driver at my home. I was at a hotel waiting for son to drive from MA to FL. I had to take a taxi by myself (elderly) and could NOT stand hours while they unloaded into storage unit. Very rude driver from Wheaton arguing with me, trying to buy my stuff and telling me he was to deliver two days ago. Would not leave unless I signed his many papers that I could NOT read and no way to check jammed in broken items until another day.

They took items apart and now have many missing parts like legs to tables rendering items useless. I had 3 units but they jammed almost all in one scratching, denting and damaging items. Missing a lot of antiques from our garage that were NOT delivered to unit, Why sell me insurance if they knew they would NOT cover delivery to a storage unit? Do not use this company... Very deceitful and rude customer service. Bought insurance and was declined for all over $3,637 missing & damaged items.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Bekins lies about everything. Terrible communication. Rude workers. Delivery date was missed and they didn't care. Many items arrived damaged. Many parts on items still missing. Lost six boxes. I can't emphasize how bad this company is. Please do not go through the misery we went through with them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I moved from California to Pennsylvania in June. I chose Bekins because they gave me the tightest delivery window. Little did I know that their contract was a lie. They took my goods, kept them in CA for a while then shipped them with a trucker. Their delivery was 6 days after the last date in the delivery window. As others have mentioned, Bekins/Wheaton seems to be just a shell. They broke 75% of my wood furniture. I had rented several storage units and they crammed the bulk of my goods into the easy drive-up unit. As a result, the door jammed and most of my household goods are 100% inaccessible. Nobody knows how to extricate my goods when I move into my home in 4 weeks.

I had asked the driver not to cram all of this into the unit since I needed some space in order to get estimates for the repairs and I also had 2 climate controlled units. Putting things in climate control takes a bit longer since there are doors and hallways versus a drive-up. Bekins will not help to fix the problem that they created. I would never recommend them. They are absolutely terrible. I have never in my life experienced such poor customer service and lack of professionalism. It's a wonder they are in business.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

We used Bekins for a move in June 2017. It was an absolutely miserable experience. They broke down every piece of furniture we owned, which was expected and fine. The problem was, they took all the separate pieces and parts of our furniture and put them in different boxes that they did not label. This has made it excruciatingly difficult to sort and reassemble our furniture on the other end -- particularly because we've downsized and needed to put half the boxes in storage. It's been over a month since the move and we still have no idea where critically important pieces and parts to our furniture are located. One example: they disconnected the power cord from our television and then put it in a completely separate box that was not labeled in any way.

This meant that we couldn't have our cable set up until the power cord was found. It took nearly three weeks of searching through boxes before we were able to find that power cord. Why did they even detach it in the first place?!? That is just one example, but it applies to nearly every piece of furniture and equipment we own. I've had to reorder all of the hardware from the manufacturers for most of our furniture. This whole process has been a complete and utter DISASTER! The worst part is, when I've called Bekins customer service to explain what happened, they don't even have the basic decency to answer or return a phone call. Stay away from this company at all costs. There have to be better alternatives than this.

Original review: July 24, 2017

This company falsely represented its model of business. They claim they are an all-inclusive company that moves your items from place to place but they don't actually operate a single thing. They are simply a brokerage firm that sells your contract with them to the highest bidder (one of those tiny independent companies with terrible reviews online that cannot get business with their name that you were desperately trying to avoid in the first place).

I was promised a strict move date and arrival as my schedule is very rigid and if any issues arose or anything was damaged they would handle it. Two days before my move, a strange company I had never heard of called and told me they would be handling my move and that they couldn't accommodate my dates. They didn't apologize or try to work with me, they just informed me that my dates were not valid and that they would get my belongings on their own schedule. I was livid as it was far too late to find a new company at this point.

When I tried to get an agent at Bekins Van Lines to help me they were all unavailable. I called and called and no one would talk to me about problems with a move. Finally, I called from a different line pretending I was a new customer and someone was immediately available to take my business. Furious, I told that person I was actually a dissatisfied customer who need the help that was promised should issues come up and threatened to cancel the contract and get an attorney as my dates were included in writing. They found another driver who would work with me (albeit from another unknown company that was not Bekins Van Lines).

The day of the move, I waited all morning and no one came. Nervous and stressed out of my mind, I called Bekins Van Lines again and told them that the apartment building I lived in was planning to kick me out that day and would have all my belongings disposed off at my cost if I was not gone by evening (which was the truth). They sent a crew out of day laborers and took my things and impounded them at a storage facility where they remained for weeks and would not give me any information.

A few weeks later, my items arrived at my new home the very last possible day in my contract with little forewarning. I was traveling for work at the time and unable to let the movers in myself, but my new building helped and opened the door for them and she said the movers Bekins Van Lines farmed my contract out to were extremely rude and belligerent. My credit card was then charged by that company that I had never before heard about. Many items were damaged and when I filed a claim for one treasured broken keepsake, they sent a letter saying their eight pages of paperwork included a secret clause that stipulated that all damaged items were subject to 60 cents per pound liability for the carrier and since my item weighed ten pounds, I was reimbursed $6 when I had a receipt that it cost $130 to replace. DO NOT BOOK WITH BEKINS VAN LINES.

Original review: June 14, 2017

In Mar. 2017, I used the Auburn Moving Company (Bekins) to move back to my home state of WI after my husband passed away. I only had a partial shipment, and yet all my items could not be placed in one truck, so I had two deliveries on or about 4/12/2017 and 4/22/2017. Since unpacking, I discovered missing household items, personal items, and items that belonged to my deceased husband which I can not replace. (Today I discovered I am missing glassware from Denmark that my oldest brother had bequeathed me in 1991 before he passed away. He was in Denmark where he bought the glasses.) Not only have my things vanished, but my dining room table, one of the last purchases made by my husband and I before he passed, had been scratched and has a gouge on it.

Things just I filed a complaint with Bekins, I received one call from them stating they would put out a trace on my items, since then I have not heard a word. I have called the company, they do not return my calls, I have emailed the company, they do not respond! They have taken no responsibility for their actions. I had filed with my insurance company, and they provided some funds for my missing items. Why should they cover this when this all falls on Bekins? I cannot understand why my items could not be traced, unless they were just stolen. Wow, unbelievable. I just now got a call Wheaton, the parent of Bekins, and they had no explanation as to why my things are missing. They told me they were not able to trace back the items. This is truly incredible, NO ONE is RESPONSIBLE!

Bekins is a totally irresponsible company. So be very wary folks, as this could happen to you.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I had an in home estimate on Friday with Bekins and verbally booked the move. They took no deposit but the rep told me, "dispatch would confirm a date within a day." I notified other potential movers that I had booked my move. After 3 days of no response to my emails and phone calls, they finally got back to me and said they could not find a driver and that they had a blackout on new moves for the rest of the 25 days left in the month. They left me scrambling to find a mover within a short time span.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Bekins moved my furniture from the East Coast to the West Coast where it was placed in their storage facility. We had a total of 12 vaults. My husband and I made an appointment to check one of the vault to remove some furniture. When we arrived one of the warehouse employees dropped the vault with some of our most expensive and one-of-a-kind pieces. The warehouse manager admitted that it was their fault. They have yet to resolve our loss. And we have had to hire an attorney to assist us in settling payment on the items that were busted to shreds.

It was our dining table, a sofa by Hickory chair, a vintage art deco, a mirror and an antique Chinese altar table. The total cost of the damages were approximately $30,000. We have been in touch with the warehouse manager and Bekins headquarters. After having said that they were responsible for the loss. They have done nothing to replace or even to communicate their attempt at resolving our damaged goods.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I was moving from Las Vegas to South Carolina. Bekins scheduled my move on April 28 & 29. On the 27th I found out that the driver was not coming until the 29th. Turns out my estimator lowballed the weight by 5000 pounds. Additionally they could not fit everything on the truck and said they would pick up the overflow. They finished loading what they could fit into the truck after 12 hours.The following Wednesday they picked it up and said I would be charged an additional $1200.

I planned for delivery in South Carolina for Monday, 8 days later. On Saturday the driver called and asked to delay delivery until Tuesday. On late Monday night he sent a message that he could not deliver on Tuesday, but maybe Wednesday. I was continuously in contact with customer service and got a lot of sympathy but they were unwilling to make any adjustments in pricing. Bekins has no concept of treating the customer fairly. Even though all the issues in this move were the fault of Bekins, they indicated that you, as a customer should accept everything quietly. Still awaiting my delivery date. I recommend not to use Bekins!

Original review: April 13, 2017

I booked my April moving date in early January with BEKINS. As I had a lot of valuable items, I was given a rough estimate and was aware that might eventually change upon the actual move. All OK. I went ahead with my plans, set up with various charities dates of collection. The Wednesday before the Monday move, Bekins sent out an estimator for a final quote. The man came out, highly complimented my pieces of furniture even asking me where I had purchased them. All was well I thought. ALAS, the very Wednesday afternoon I got a text message from my contact person, informing me the move was off, due to condition issues. I was baffled, called the contact person, true the apartment is full of boxes, which one might expect due to the time frame.

I was recovering from a flood caused by the dishwasher, and had a towel present to cope with the water, this happened shortly before the estimator was due to arrive. He obviously saw my two cats, and assumed even though I had explained the cause of the flood. Anyway he is probably not a cat lover, by the way my cats are very clean. The apartment was in disarray as I previously mentioned would be expected. But in good condition. I had a signed agreement with Bekins, but they were not concerned. Too bad we cancelled the move. This company is a mess and that is why their reviews are so bad. I wish I had researched them better, before I booked them. I only hope that anyone reading this review is deterred from hiring this unreliable company. I would have saved myself the trouble if I had read the reviews left from other dissatisfied customers/victims. I am reeling from the shock.

Original review: April 6, 2017

After paying Bekins in full at the start of my move I was informed by the driver who delivered my items that I overpaid and was due a refund of approximately 800.00. Bekins sent me a refund check in the amount of 330.00. When I called to inquire why the refund was so much less they stated that they billed me for insurance even though I didn't request or want insurance through them and the amount that I prepaid didn't include cost for their insurance. Their response was "Well you didn't sign page 2 of the bill of lading stating you didn't want our insurance". I wasn't given a page 2 to sign by anyone and the copy of page 2 that they have has 2 signature spots, one stating I want their insurance and one stating I don't, both signature lines are blank. Yet their default position is to charge me even though they can't prove I ever saw the page or was given an opportunity to indicate my choice.

They are also charging me for unpacking boxes that they did not unpack. I have offered to show Bekins dated photographs proving that my 65" TV and large framed mirror are still in the box they packed it in, hence they didn't unpack it when they said they did. Further, I have sent them two emails outlining the discrepancy between their bill and what can be proven and they have chosen to ignore me. They are also refusing to send me contact information for their upper management so that I can pursue this on a higher level than just a customer service person. Shoddy behavior and fraudulent practices, I will NEVER use them again.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

This is the most screwed up and incompetent company I have ever encountered. Bekins moving my stuff from the Bay Area, California to Spokane, Washington was like Keystone Cops. First, after confirming the date of removal from their storage and transport to my new home, they sent the stuff to my new home two weeks early. I didn't yet own the house and in fact, was out of state. It got worse; they then tried to blame it on the driver and subsequently refused to answer calls or emails to tell me where my stuff was or if/when it would be delivered. I had to call virtually everyone in the company to find out anything. Even then I didn't know when the stuff would be delivered.

After all that, it was not delivered until 2 days later than they had promised a month before. It got worse still. They then charged my credit card, in addition to the $2300 cost of my move, an additional $8300! Yes, that's what I said. $8300. Can you imagine? They didn't correct the error or even return my calls or emails. I called the credit card company and reported the fraud and cancelled my card. Only then did they refund the money. Never any apology or even acknowledgement of their error. I would never under any circumstances use this company again.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

This was our second move with Bekins. Please note that both moves were full service moves with full insurance. The first move was in 1997 and although it was not without issues it went fairly smoothly. The second move in 2015 turned out to be a disaster. As stated earlier, a full service move. We paid ~$18,000.00 for this move which included all packing as well as full insurance. The movers arrived and it was winter and they were afraid it was going to snow that night. So they unloaded boxes as quickly as possible and dumped wherever. They did not put anything on the carpet nor did they wipe their feet. Filth all over the house. The two big items damaged was a new stainless steel refrigerator that was scratched on the door from a dirty belt on the dolly. They did cover replacing the door skin. They broke the display screen on a $3,000.00 flat screen TV.

They sent out a TV repair person who stated that the display screen was broken beyond repair and there was not a replacement available. The Bekin's claim adjuster ignored the report of their TV repair person and contacted them and changed the diagnosis to an internal malfunction of the pixels. We were then given a choice to accept the damages minus the $3,000.00 TV or go to Arbitration to collect any award. Obviously if they were able to change to diagnosis this would be a fixed Arbitration. Check the customer reviews... We should have instead of relying on a past experience. There are good moving companies available but if you check the customer reviews Bekin's is not one of them. They will manipulate you out of insured items and trash the house.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I contacted Bekins to supply a quote for a move from Vancouver to London UK. I chose Bekins because they were one of the few companies that could supply me with a wooden crate that I could pack myself. I specifically requested this because I have moved internationally many times and experienced many issues having relied on removals companies to do the packing and unpacking.

I made my request very clear that I wanted to pack and unpack the crate myself. Not only did I have to chase and chase for a final quote but although I was able to pack my own crate - Bekins did NOT COMMUNICATE my instructions that I wanted to unpack my own crate to the removals company in London UK with the result that my crate was unpacked and then loose loaded onto a truck and then delivered to me. They NEVER mentioned that this might be the case. Furious as many items missing. They are now trying to hide behind paperwork to shirk their responsibilities. DISGUSTING.

Bekins Van Lines response

Hello, I believe your review is for the wrong Bekins. This company is Bekins Van Lines of the United States. We are not affiliated with Bekins in Canada. Bekins Van Lines only performs interstate moves withing the United States.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

They broke the legs of 3 tables, lost a very expensive antique book case, ripped up the sofa. Sent me a cheap sofa belong to another customer. Also deep scratches on the dining table, and ripped the end of the wood table. No compensation at all for the rips and scratches and will pay 40 cents per pound for the antique which means nothing.

Bekins Van Lines response

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

Ok I was told that this company would handle my cross country move and have everything done by no later than December 15. Then they refused to return my calls requesting an exact date to actually deliver the furniture. I left multiple messages. Finally they got back to me and told me the earliest I would get my stuff is on the 29th. I only packed enough clothes for 2 weeks. They are rude and condescending when they talk to me. Also the guy quoted me a price that was almost twice as much for the move as it actually was. I am tired of being jerked around by this company. They said they would honor the contract and now are not.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2016

The worst nightmare moving experience ever, was with Bekins. They have several add-ons to their name and several different telephone numbers to confuse a person. You deal with at least 8 different people of so-called authority in this company who call you regarding your move... More confusion. I had to tell them "So many of you are calling to confirm the date of my move and asking my information, I don't want 6 different trucks showing up at my door!" Confusion from day 1 only continued to get worse, so I and my neighbors packed almost everything ahead of time. The one hour drive to the new location turned into 26 hours, as Bekins movers took the truck with my belongings to their warehouse where they raided, smashed, stole and broke furniture and valuables.

Boxes were crushed, items removed and transferred to other boxes, furniture was dismantled, marred, scratched and chipped. File cabinets were emptied into several different cardboard boxes all mixed up. Tax papers, property sale and purchase papers are still lost. That move was in December 2015. They more than tripled the cost of the move which charges I disputed with Amex to no avail. Fraud, theft, damages, Identity theft, perpetrated on the elderly and they get away with it. Contacting Government agencies didn't help either. They pass the buck. Attorneys take the fees and run. Where is Justice? Avoid Bekins Movers!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

We had a corporate move cross country with Bekins. Avoid Bekins if you can. If something goes wrong, as sometimes things do, they do a terrible job of correcting it. For us, when the driver was a day late and Bekins didn't do anything about it and had an array of people who were in theory "helping" fix it but none seem to have any idea what was actually going on or who was doing what I was concerned. But then the driver showed up. Rather than supervise the idiot kids packing the truck he chain-smoked, dumped his butts all over the property and made conversation with me.

Soon he moved to talking to me with an eventual focus on how he hates ** and they shouldn't be let in the country. Why he thought I'd be interested in his opinions I have no idea; I was trying to keep an eye on the guys moving my stuff since clearly he was not. We finally got the truck loaded and he left. I picked up and discarded the cigarette butts, drink containers, and empty cigarette pack they'd tossed on the driveway and lawn so the new owners wouldn't have to. Disgusting.

We didn't hear from the driver (fine with us!) until he got lost during the move. Then he called me repeatedly to get directions, despite my pointing out I didn't know the area at all. Why he didn't get a GPS or call his company I have no idea. Our new road is winding so they wanted to offload remotely and then drive in multiple trips in a smaller truck. Again, my husband and I are not living at the new house, are brand new to the area and don't know it at all. This time the driver called my husband a couple of times to ask where in the area of our new house he could park his truck to offload it and whether various spots were suitable for him to get in and out in his giant truck. As though my husband would have any idea.

The delivery was like the pickup but worse. This time the driver didn't use racial epithets for Latinos. Might sound like an improvement but instead he related to my husband how he thinks "The ** are okay". He went on to talk about how he thinks Donald Trump is great (sure, not appropriate conversation but he's certainly entitled to his opinion. Again, why he felt compelled to share it I have no idea). He went on to talk about how he killed someone breaking into his house when he "snapped their neck". Next he moved back to Mr. Trump and that he agreed to keep all the Muslim immigrants out since you can't trust them.

Of course, my husband is actually a Muslim immigrant so this moved the situation from horribly racist and offensive into frankly scary. It wasn't helped by the other mover who discussed his love for guns and he thinks we should all be carrying them with us. But finally, they left and we hoped we would never have to deal with Bekins again. No such luck. When we finally got everything sorted out it was clear we had extensive damage to our furniture and that many items were just gone, despite being checked off on the list but the scary driver.

This is the worst part. I know mistakes and errors happen even in the best company. That said, I think you can get a real sense of how good a company really is by how they handle it when they know something has gone wrong. This is where Bekins the company completely failed us. I added up my damaged and lost goods and came up with over $10,000. I documented all the values and the damage but Bekins basically said, "too bad." They sent some guy out to "document" the damage and estimate repairs. I do not understand how he thought he could evaluate damage when he never got within ten feet of the pieces of furniture and only looked from one side as our items had damage on multiple sides. Maybe his goal for the repair was to look good enough from more than ten feet away? I have no idea.

The final insult from Bekins came when they offered me less than 25% in compensation and said it was my fault for not stopping the move when things were going badly and not realizing the driver had stolen (oops, I mean misplaced) my items. Sure, he "misplaced" an extension ladder. Right. We'd complained to Bekins about the awful driver early on - it should have been so clear to them that this guy was a mess and either pulled him off or done something to protect us. Instead, when the predictable damage and losses were identified Bekins denied it and said it was our fault. Nice. Because of the lousy service my corporation has dropped them as a preferred moving service. Stay far, far away from Bekins. If there is ANYTHING that goes wrong, they will abandon you and there will be nothing you can do about it.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

I moved from Illinois to Arizona with Bekins, paid a lot and even bought extra insurance. The first thing they were supposed to crate was a 6 ft. marble top for a European antique sideboard. It never made the crate, it is in two pieces now. Tried to keep positive the rest of the day. Great, nothing else broke, all my antiques made it on the truck without any breakage??? After that everything went bad. Unpacking in Arizona, things start coming off the truck broken, three dining chairs, backs broken, sideboard doors bad, antique secretary legs and supports tape together and in their moving blankets, (still in the blanket).

Wing back chair leg broken, didn't find that for a few days, they stuck it in the corner of a bedroom and stacked boxes around it and hid the broken leg underneath, and also cracked the glass base of a floor lamp. They can't find an antique ornate mirror with lights and a signed oil painting, just purchased two months before still wrapped in shipped box. They said the other customer after me didn't have it, really, so who does???

It is now August and they only want to fix the marble and three chairs for $2000.00. The marble alone is $1500.00. Customer service, Sharon and Laura, don't expect anything from them. I tried to get a copy of the adjuster's report and Peggy said Bekins won't let her send that report to me. Four months later, still can't use dining room or living room because of the unrepaired items just sitting around waiting. I guess my next step to thru the court system. Over a month to get the claims adjuster out for them to inspect.

Bekins Van Lines Company Information