1.23/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

224 Bekins Van Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

We used Bekins for a small move to a storage locker where they came in, wrapped everything and appeared to do a good job until items were moved, lots of scratches!!! We used them to move a small number of items from the storage locker, a couple of beds, living room furniture, gym equipment and some boxes. Terrible!! They did not wrap any furniture so my white couches (yes I know, but they had been moved before and stayed mostly clean) had filthy, filthy hand prints all over them.

As we were moving into a new house still filled with trades, I was distracted with questions from our electrician at the time of paying my bill and gave the Bekins fellow my credit card, which he put thru. I was shocked to see, on a 5 hour moving job with 3 fellows (value of just over $1100) an insurance fee of $440.00 which I never authorized. This was not mentioned when I called for a quote, which I discussed over the phone and approved the hourly fee, nor was it brought to my attention when I paid the bill. I would not have ever bought the insurance. When I called the company they basically said "too bad". This insurance is a scam!! When I mentioned the very filthy hand prints the guy just laughed. I will never use this company again.

Original review: July 30, 2019

DO NOT USE BEKINS MOVING COMPANY!!!! If you value your things and your hard earned money, never use this company!!! They have missed 3 scheduled delivery times and have been holding our things hostage for more money as a result of their mistakes. They are demanding twice the “Do Not Exceed” amount signed in our contract. They have continued to threaten our possessions for more money. AVOID THESE MOVERS!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2019

I’m not sure whether another awful review makes any difference or not, but I have to get this off my chest. My wife and I have moved across country six times and I can state unequivocally that this most recent move was almost unbelievably terrible. Among other things, although we had signed a contract to move almost a year earlier, when the time came and our house finally closed, our agent announced that he could not supply us with any packers! So it fell upon my wife and me to pack up a 4500 square-foot home, even though we were now living almost 3000 miles away. In the midst of all this, we had a family medical crisis, so we essentially had to walk away from dozens of items, cumulatively worth thousands of dollars. The folks who bought our old house were more than happy to keep it all.

When the truck driver and his crew arrived, virtually every item that they loaded was described as scratched, dented, faded, cracked, worn. So when the time came to unpack, there was no way to verify any damage. We had family heirlooms that were broken; when I submitted a request for reimbursement, the sum that was provided was paltry to say the least. I submitted a claim to their “customer service representative,” describing all of the above. She was completely indifferent. She sent me a check with no hint of an apology. I sent the check back with an even longer letter, then got the same check back with, once again, no apology. I sent copies of my correspondence with Bekins to the Better Business Bureau of Indiana and also of Washington state. Lord knows it probably won’t make any difference. Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from Bekins.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Seriously, this is NOT someone you want to do business with. As former military, we have moved many, many times. We had more furniture damage on this move than all our prior moves combined. We used Bekins, which is owned by Wheaton, and they made a great sales pitch. It was all BS. They low-balled the weight estimate. They mixed our goods with another customer's goods on the truck. If you use this company, they will lose your stuff; they will break your stuff and they truly don't care. When we discovered a box was missing and asked for help locating it, the driver actually said "I don't have time for this crap."

Original review: June 11, 2019

ABSOLUTELY THE WORST EXPERIENCE. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE AND NEVER USE THEM. EXPENSIVE AND AWFUL. Bekins "forgot" to load 2 pieces of carefully-marked furniture that had sentimental and antique value. They destroyed an antique gilded mirror by insisting it should go in a mirror box instead of a crate. They shipped boxes of unwanted books that I now have sitting in our garage. The man who took our order got fired before the shipment got collected and he had all of the pertinent information that was then ignored. We bought insurance, but now are told that does not apply to them leaving items that then were disposed of by the cleaning service. A terrible experience and I hope no one else suffers this same way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bekins Van Lines?

Original review: May 29, 2019

In short, do not use this company for interstate moves. They do not care about you or your belongings. I will detail my issues for perspective. 4/2/2019. We had Bekins and Oz moving come to our home for moving quote for a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment between Los Angeles, CA and Boca Raton, FL. Bekins cost more but offered a shorter delivery window. We also requested storage while we looked for a home in Florida. 5/3/2019. Our move out date that would allow us extra time for our items to travel cross country before my husband started his new job on 5/20. Our guaranteed arrival date was 5/17. 5/9/2019. We have yet to receive any itinerary of the items that were moved, no weight quote, nothing. We call and are told that no one will be able to tell us where the truck is until the following Monday, 5/13. If anyone is counting, that means our items will have been gone for 10 days with no accountability.

5/13/2019. We are told our truck is in Colorado. Colorado is not close to Florida and much closer to California. We are 4 days out from our guaranteed date. 5/15-5/29/2019. We have called and harassed Bekins on a daily basis for the last 2 weeks and our items (supposedly) have traversed the country at a glacial pace. As of yesterday, (5/28/2019) we received word that our truck was in Orlando. JUST KIDDING. It's in North Carolina! 26 days without our things.

26 days without furniture. 26 days of living out of a suitcase and we still don't have our things. This company does not care about you or your belongings. Please read the other Yelp reviews to see that this is not a one off. Please hire any other company to move you cross country. My heart is breaking to know that they probably lost all my belongings and don't have the cojones to admit it. We celebrated my son's first birthday in a hotel room instead of our furnished apartment as planned. We have had to purchase new clothing because our clothing is g-d knows where. Learn from our mistakes. Wish me luck. 26 days and still counting.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Interstate move from Chicago, IL to Mobile, AL.

From what I have experienced...

1. Wheaton van lines/Bekins packs your boxes with a vague label description so that once the boxes go missing you will have no idea what has been lost.
      2. If a full delivery cannot be made and they are liable for paying you for a late delivery reimbursement, Wheaton/Bekins delivers the heaviest items first so that they can claim that the majority of the weight has been delivered and thus avoid the penalty reimbursement.
      3. Even if you purchase total replacement cost insurance and Wheaton/Bekins loses boxes, they will try to pin it back on you and state they are not liable for missing boxes.

4. The claims agents will boldly lie unless you document everything with emails.

Service cost: $6,300. Order ID: **.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Allen from A1MovesTexas.com showed up to Dallas apt to pack items. All went ok until movers arrived at destination with missing inventory items (expensive drill set and designer backpack, tote, pillows etc.) and damaged furniture. I specifically got full replacement insurance for this purpose and paid extra for it. Then the claims process began. I showed them where missing items could be purchased. They found other lower prices from unheard of websites and wanted to pay lower prices than Amazon and did not want to reimburse me for taxes and shipping, not to mention warranty expenses.

Further, the two most expensive items that were missing, which their own driver said must have been stolen, they are refusing to reimburse me stating that if I think they were stolen go file a police report. It's insane... They picked up a drill-set and designer bag, then did not deliver it at destination, and now are saying go file a police report and deal with it yourself: No reimbursement!! What they forgot to tell me is that the insurance company WVLCorp.com is their own. Movers also damaged walls of my BRAND NEW apartment... Reimbursement offered was $100. I was thinking my experience would be different than that of the typical bait and switch stories you hear...but no...this is not even a case of being overcharged, I quite literally feel robbed by Bekins. Buyer beware!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have never worked with a more shady company than Bekins and A and P Moving. They came out and gave us an estimate for our move out of state and for using their storage services for 3 months. Mr. ** underestimated the weight by half! So they kept our belongings in their storage facility for months without ever giving us the courtesy of a phone call to let us know that the cost of our move would double! Additionally, A and P Moving sold us an insurance package and told us we could cancel it anytime before the moving truck left their warehouse in Novato, which we did. Once the truck arrived at our new home, the driver was told not to unload until we paid for the insurance, another $600!

The driver also told us that the insurance was cancelled prior to him leaving the warehouse and he didn't know why he was being told not to unload. I contacted Bekins directly for an explanation as to how a bid could be off by half and they refused to acknowledge the unethical business practices used by A and P Moving. Ultimately Bekins just stopped responding after my first response to their lack of explanation. I have a hard time believing that this was an accident. To not inform the customer of an error this large is unacceptable. We should have went with the company that was a little more pricey. We would have saved thousands.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Moved from N CA to E PA Mar 2018. I would never use this company again. Six major moves and never had missing items until this one from furniture to kitchen to clothes. Advised by Bekins there is no proof of these items. Letters also to Pres & CEO no response. I was advised they questioned everyone involved and all said they had no idea. REALLY!? Also left message for driver and no response. Also their insurance only covers items to damage they actually pack. Other movers have covered damage regardless of who packs. Had I taken the time to read reviews I would never had used them.

Bekins Van Lines Company Information