Best Tax Relief Companies
Tax relief companies help taxpayers who struggle to or cannot pay their taxes. Individuals who work with a tax relief companies or tax clinics can save a significant amount of money and gain confidence by solving their tax problems.
While these companies' processes vary in strategy, they all work to reduce the financial burden on a taxpayer. Tax relief companies often assist consumers by helping reduce the level of tax debt, stopping wage garnishments, walking customers through audits and reaching a tax relief agreement with the IRS.
Compare Reviews for Top Tax Relief Companies
|Larson Tax Relief|
Read 227 Reviews
Since 2005, Larson Tax Relief has delivered help to thousands of taxpayers while representing clients in all 50 states. The Larson team will help with business, personal, state or IRS tax issues.
Read 436 Reviews
Community Tax is a reliable company dedicated to tax relief and resolution services for consumers. Based in Chicago, IL, the company also helps clients with tax preparation and book keeping services to its customers.
|Instant Tax Solutions|
Read 63 Reviews
Instant Tax Solutions works to legally reduce tax debt and its expertise covers everything from tax liens to wage garnishments and more.
|Attorney's Tax Relief|
Read 105 Reviews
With years of experience representing clients across the Nation, Attorney’s Tax Relief provides IRS debt relief through a manageable and streamlined process. Attorney’s Tax Relief offers tax resolution you’ve been looking for.
|Fortress Financial Services, Inc.|
Read 92 Reviews
Fortress is the only significant tax resolution firm in the country where every case is handled personally by a licensed attorney.
|The Tax Resolvers|
Read 45 Reviews
Tax Resolvers are experts in helping consumers work out an agreement with the IRS. They have a four step process including consultation, investigation, resolution and completion. The company strives for the best results.
|Tax Defense Network|
Read 36 Reviews
Tax Defense Network helps people with IRS tax debt resolve tax levies, penalties, back taxes, liens, delinquent taxes and payroll taxes. They will help you find the best repayment solution and work with the IRS on your behalf.
|Tax Group Center|
Read 94 Reviews
Tax Group Center is a California-based tax service. It works primarily with individuals and businesses who are experiencing tax problems with the IRS or their state tax authority, and offers 24/7 services and free consultations.
|Wall & Associates|
Read 88 Reviews
Wall & Associates are tax professionals who want to help reduce your tax debt. They offer around-the-clock customer service and have ample experience handling issues such as seizures, wage garnishments, and liens.
|Victory Tax Lawyers, LLP||Read 15 Reviews|
Victory Tax Lawyers is a law firm staffed with only licensed attorneys who resolve simple to complex tax matters for individuals and corporations. Average client debt $25,000 or more. Attorney consultation.
What should you consider when choosing a tax relief company?
The official credentials of a tax relief company can reveal a lot about its reputation and its success rate.
- Generally certified staff: In order to represent a consumer to the IRS, a company must have a properly licensed staff member on board, such as a licensed attorney, a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or an enrolled agent.
- Specialized staff: Enrolled agents (EAs), (CPAs) and tax attorneys are the only tax professionals who have been licensed, and therefore the only tax professionals who can practice before the IRS. Any reputable tax relief company will have EAs, CPAs and/or tax attorneys on staff who can legally represent you before the IRS.
- No licensed staff: Some companies offering tax relief have no properly licensed staff on board, which means they are legally unable to represent taxpayers to the IRS. They are therefore completely ineffective because they will not be able to legally represent a taxpayer with tax debt issues.
Tax relief companies can have a range of reputations among taxpayers, often based on their success rates and customer service practices.
- Consumer-reviewed: There are many websites offering firsthand customer reviews of tax relief companies and consumers' experience using them.
- Calculated ratings: Several business evaluation companies have algorithms that take into account factors like customer reviews and company success rates to give tax relief companies calculated ratings, which are good indicators of a company's reputation and likelihood of success.
- Unreviewed: Some tax relief companies have little to no documented reviews or ratings, which makes it difficult for prospective customers to judge their previous levels of success or failure.
Tax relief strategy
There are several ways tax relief companies attempt to sell their services to prospective consumers.
- Direct consumer contact: Some tax relief companies pursue business by contacting customers directly, often based on lists of liens filed with each individual county.
- Traditional advertising: Many tax relief companies adhere to traditional and ethical advertising practices to draw customers, such as placing ads in relevant newspapers or print publications, or optimizing web content to appear in search engine results.
- Advertising guarantees: One tactic some tax relief companies use to draw clients is guaranteeing successful tax relief, which should make consumers wary because it's impossible to make guarantees about tax relief without first making an official agreement with the IRS.
Tax relief companies ask for fees for their service, and the manner in which they calculate and obtain these fees varies from company to company.
- Time-based fees: Time-based fees are charged by tax relief companies based on the time it will take them to handle a consumer's case.
- Debt-based fees: Some companies charge their fees based on the amount of tax debt a person owes to the government.
- Upfront fees: Some tax relief companies ask their customers to pay flat fees for their services upfront before starting the tax relief process.
Tax relief companies often have many people on staff working to bring customers relief from their tax debt, and some companies vary based on which employees interact directly with customers.
- Interaction with salespeople: Some companies use sales people to interact with customers, initially assess their case, and offer potential consumers a deal before beginning work on their case.
- Interaction with tax experts: Many tax relief companies pair potential customers and paying customers with licensed tax experts who can assess their debt situation with knowledge and offer them specialized tax advice.
- Interaction with various employees: When bringing in customers, some tax relief companies allow salespeople to handle the initial transaction, while the follow-up communication is handled by a more specialized tax expert.
Many tax relief companies vary from one another based on whether they require a customer to sign a contract to work with them or not.
- No contract: Some tax relief companies do not require customers to sign any paperwork to work with them, allowing them to start and stop work at their own discretion.
- Contract-based work: There are tax relief companies that require customers to sign a contract before they take their case, requiring them to pay them a certain amount of money and complete work with that company.
- Fee agreement work: Some tax relief companies only require customers to sign paperwork to agree on an upfront fee, but does not require them to complete the work with the company, should they decide not to.
What are the different types of tax relief companies?
Traditional tax relief company
A traditional tax relief company has licensed tax professionals on staff - CPAs, attorneys and Enrolled Agents - who can help consumers settle their tax debt. Traditional tax relief companies are the most qualified to successfully manage a tax settlement case with the government.
Low-income taxpayer clinics
Low-income taxpayer clinics are companies geared towards people who make below a certain amount of income. They are free or low-cost services to help low-income consumers get out of tax debt.
Unverified tax relief companies
Due to the economic climate, there are many new tax relief companies cropping up each year, and many are untested and unverified by consumers and the IRS. Year after year, many new or unverified companies are proven to have no licensed financial experts on staff.
Who are tax relief companies for?
Individuals with garnished wages
Individuals with garnished wages have all or part of their paychecks sent immediately to the government in order to pay off a tax debt. These people often have other financial obligations on their plate which prohibit them from meeting their tax repayment goals, and having wages garnished can severely disrupt a healthy and normal lifestyle.
Individuals with a federal tax lien or levy
The federal government may place a lien on peoples' assets when they have not paid a tax debt. Federal tax liens can have damaging consequences like ruined credit. Federal tax levies occur when the government actually seizes property or taxes to repay a tax debt.
Innocent spouses are individuals who have filed a joint tax return with someone who has incurred a tax penalty and are thus liable, despite being innocent of any wrongdoing. Innocent spouses can use tax relief companies to help them avoid paying hefty penalties they did not earn and cannot afford.
Business owners with back payroll taxes
Some tax relief companies work with owners of businesses who owe taxes to the government but cannot pay them. Many of these business owners are at the helm of companies struggling to stay financially solvent.
Expert reviews for tax relief companies
Community Tax is a company focused on tax relief staffed by tax attorneys and bankers. The company focuses on a two step process to resolve tax issues.
Wall & Associates is one of the country's oldest debt relief companies. The company is headquartered in Fairfax, VA.
Founded in 2005, Larson Tax Relief represents clients in all 50 states. They specialize in helping businesses and individuals who are behind on their taxes and/or who have past-due tax filings and returns at both the state and federal level.
Attorney’s Tax Relief is based in Chicago and represents clients in all 50 states. They specialize in fighting for people who are facing problems with the IRS due to aggressive collections, an inability to make their monthly IRS payment, penalties and interest that are above and beyond what they can reasonably afford and/or who owe the IRS more than they can actually afford to pay.
The Tax Resolvers is a traditional tax relief company that works with anyone who owes the IRS more than $10,000. Their staff includes enrolled agents, arbitrators, tax attorneys and CPAs.
Tax Group Center is a tax consulting service headquartered in San Francisco, California. It has been in business since 2009, and offers services to people and businesses in trouble with the IRS or state taxing authorities. It has an office in Calabasas, California and in Post Falls, Idaho and also consults with clients through its website.
Tax Defense Network is a tax problem resolution company that works with individuals, business owners and people who are self-employed to resolve tax debt.
This law firm specializes in tax controversy, resolution, and litigation for corporations and individuals. They only staff attorneys with at least five years of experience handling simple and complex federal and state tax situations.
First Eagle Partners specializes in state and federal tax resolution for individuals and businesses. They have over 25 years of experience, and anyone can call their toll free phone number for a free and confidential consultation.
Victory Tax Solutions can help you if you’re dealing with a lien, a bank levy or wage garnishments as the result of unpaid state and federal taxes. The company employs legal and accounting professionals to help people in all 50 states. It has been in business since 2012 and is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Fortress Financial Services offers tax resolution solutions to protect things like your bank account, business and personal assets and wages from levies, garnishments and seizures. They’ll help you identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.
Based in Sunnyvale, California, Tax Relief USA specializes in tax relief for both individuals and small businesses. In addition to providing tax relief services, the company also files taxes and provides bookkeeping services.
Tax Defense Partners was founded in 1998 in order to resolve problems with the IRS and help customers find relief from back taxes. Tax Defense Partners represents individuals and businesses both small and large.
Tax Resolution Institute has more than 25 years of experience handling tax debt nationwide. The company is staffed with certified tax experts to help consumers with their tax relief.
- Free consultation: Tax Resolution Institute offers customers looking for tax relief a free consultation about their problems with the IRS or back taxes.
- Licensed tax experts: Everyone who handles cases at Tax Resolution Institute has official credentials for handling tax relief, as either tax attorneys or CPAs.
- Tax resolution educators: The professionals at Tax Resolution Institute are experts at handling customers' tax problems. They're also tax relief educators, and they teach other tax professionals how to handle tax relief cases.
- Unconditional guarantee: The company offers customers an unconditional guarantee if they're unhappy with the service they receive. Tax Resolution Institute will refund 100 percent of the fee to unsatisfied customers.
- Easy accessibility: Customers can contact Tax Resolution Institute 24 hours per day via phone or their website, and the forms required for the initial consultation are available on the company's site, so people can get started at any time of day.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy,, innocent spouses and business owners with back payroll taxes.
US Tax Shield is a large national tax relief company. The company has offices throughout the country, including outposts in New York, San Francisco, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, and Los Angeles.
US Tax Solutions is a based in Hixson, Tennessee but offers tax relief for anyone in the United States.
- Enrolled agents: US Tax Solutions is staffed by enrolled agents, so qualified specialists handle cases for people in need of debt relief.
- Informative website: Their website contains a large amount of helpful information about tax debt, back taxes and what could happen to consumers who aren't able to pay off what they owe; the site explains wage levies instruct employers to withhold wages, bank levies instruct your bank to withhold funds from your accounts, and the government can actually seize property like boats, homes, and cars.
- Free consultation: Every customer interested in using US Tax Solutions Inc. is entitled to a free 30-minute consultation to gauge whether he or she qualifies for a relief case.
- Fixed fees: Once the fee has been quoted to a customer, US Tax Solutions Inc. will not change it or tack on additional costs.
- Excellent reviews: The company receives excellent reviews from customers, who have found the company's service to be outstanding.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages and individuals with a federal tax lien or levy.
Tax Champions, a tax relief company founded by CPA Walter Wotman, has over 30 years of experience helping taxpayers get out of tax debt across America. The company is staffed by tax professionals and offers a wide range of tax relief services.
- Range of experience: Tax Champions has a good deal of experience when it comes to dealing with debt relief cases. The company has handled cases ranging from helping a franchise of stores get out of payroll tax debt to helping a divorced wife with innocent spouse tax relief.
- Time in existence: The company has a proven track record helping clients for over 30 years, which means they have a range of experience to prove they are capable of handling relief cases well.
- Renowned experts: The owners of Tax Champions, Walter Wotman, is a tax relief specialist and a renowned expert on the topic. He published an Amazon No. 1 Bestseller in the Finance genre titled, "Tax Champions Guide to Tax Resolution."
- Free case review: Before any client decides to work with Tax Champions, they are provided a free case review by the company to ensure tax relief work will be necessary.
- Variety of services: The company provides a wide range of debt relief solutions to individuals and companies, but they can also act as CPAs and prepare tax returns for customers, making it a convenient one-stop-shop for tax help.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages and individuals with a federal tax lien or levy.
Tax Tiger was founded in 2002 by Kathy Hill. The company serves customers in every state in the U.S.
Dartmouth Financial Group is a tax resolution company that specializes in helping clients solve their tax liability issues. Dartmouth professionals work to alleviate the stress and financial impacts of tax debts, ridding clients of the burden.
Instant Tax Solutions is a tax relief company based out of Post Falls, ID founded in 2009.
Compare Reviews for Top Tax Relief Companies
|Victory Tax Solutions|
Read 27 Reviews
Victory Tax Solutions helps consumers in all 50 states with federal and state taxes. The company’s team of tax attorneys and CPAs works to find the best solution for each client’s situation. Free consultations are available.
|Tax Defense Partners|
Read 9 Reviews
Tax Defense Partners specialize in tax negotiation and resolution. The company has a AAA rating with the Business Consumer Alliance, and it offers professional consultations completely free through their website.
Read 13 Reviews
Tax Tiger has been helping businesses and individuals with their tax debt since 2002. The company's services are affordable, and they work quickly to reduce your debt, stop liens or wage garnishments, and get you back on track.
|Dartmouth Financial||Read Reviews|
Dartmouth Financial Group's tax resolution services are fast and efficient at helping clients rid themselves of the stress and burden of tax liabilities. Its tailored repayment plans are ideal for any tax situation.
|First Eagle Partners||Read Reviews|
First Eagle Partners consists of certified tax and legal professionals with over 25 years of experience. Experts in debt resolution, mediation, and negotiations offering a free, confidential consultation to assess your needs.
|Tax Relief USA|
Tax Relief USA has an A rating with the Better Business Bureau. As the company's name suggests, Tax Relief seeks to reduce your tax debt, possibly eliminating it altogether, by using federal laws to your advantage.
|US Tax Shield||Read Reviews|
US Tax Shield offers a free, no-obligation consultation. It has years of experience in the tax industry and works with both businesses and individuals to help reduce tax debt, stop wage garnishments and cease tax liens.
|Tax Champions||Read Expert Review|
With over 30 years of successful negotiations with the IRS, Tax Champions is focused on working hard to reduce your tax debt or stop your tax lien. The company also offers consumers a free guide to IRS Tax Resolution.
|Tax Resolution Institute||Read Expert Review|
The Tax Resolution Institute helps consumers reduce their debt. The company offers a 100 percent money-back guarantee and provides consultations with tax professionals who have extensive experience in the industry.
|US Tax Solutions Inc.||Read Expert Review|
US Tax Solutions wants to ease the stress of dealing with difficult tax situations. It helps with tax liens, wage garnishments and penalties, and it may also be able to set up a payment plan to get your tax debt resolved.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.