Best Tax Relief Companies
Owing back tax debt to the government has significant consequences. The IRS can garnish wages, freeze bank accounts and seize assets to satisfy outstanding tax debts. The tax resolution companies below are experts on state and federal tax laws. They help strategize your best approach and negotiate with the IRS and state tax commissions.
Compare Top Rated Tax Relief Companies
Read 573 Reviews
Requires a minimum $10,000 tax debt. Initial fees range from $500 to $750. Gives full or partial refunds for services not rendered. Accredited by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Offers free consultations.
|toll freenumber(312) 767-4280 Visit Website|
|Larson Tax Relief|
Read 330 Reviews
Works with clients who have more than $20,000 in tax debt. Provides a 15-day money-back guarantee. Member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents and the National Association of Tax Professionals.
|toll freenumber(855) 285-3958 Visit Website|
|Anthem Tax Services|
Read 98 Reviews
Requires a minimum $10,000 tax debt. Tax attorneys on staff. Member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents and National Association of Tax Professionals. Provides free initial consultation and a 100% money-back guarantee.
|toll freenumber(833) 802-0239 Visit Website|
|Fortress Financial Services, Inc.|
Read 112 Reviews
Requires a tax debt of $10,000 or more. Service agreements start at around $3,000. Provides a full money-back guarantee if requested within 24 hours of attorney consultation. Offers free initial consultations.
|Attorneys Tax Relief|
Read 131 Reviews
Requires tax debt of $10,000 or more. Employs tax attorneys on staff. Member of the American Bar Association and the National Association of Tax Professionals. Provides free consultations and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
|Instant Tax Solutions|
Read 90 Reviews
Works with clients with more than $10,000 in tax debt. Provides a 30-day money-back guarantee on all services. Employs tax attorneys on staff.
|toll freenumber(888) 309-8036 Visit Website|
|Victory Tax Lawyers, LLP|
Read 66 Reviews
Requires $25,000 tax debt for relief services. Employs tax attorneys on staff. Member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers. Provides free consultations.
|toll freenumber(866) 640-8454 Visit Website|
|J. David Tax Law LLC||Read 25 Reviews|
Works with clients who owe the IRS $20,000 or more. Provides free initial tax consultations. Employs tax attorneys on staff. Flexible payment plans available.
|The Tax Resolvers|
Read 50 Reviews
Requires $10,000 minimum tax debt. Accredited by the National Association of Tax Professionals. Member of the American Bar Association. Provides free tax relief consultations.
|toll freenumber(805) 253-1791 Visit Website|
|Wall & Associates|
Read 149 Reviews
Provides free consultations. Specializes in offers in compromise, liens, levies, garnishments, penalties and seizures. No upfront fee structure.
|toll freenumber(540) 409-5839|
What is tax relief?
Tax relief is any reduction in taxes owed by an individual taxpayer or business entity, including tax deductions and tax credits. For example, a tax credit can incentivize homeowners to make energy-efficient repairs, and a tax deduction can decrease the overall tax burden for those affected by a natural disaster.
People who owe a tax debt often seek tax relief to reduce the amount they owe to the IRS or state tax agencies. Those who didn’t file a tax return, misfiled their return or were unable to pay taxes end up owing a tax debt that accrues penalties and interest. Many people facing this tax burden do not have enough liquid assets to pay the full amount at once and require assistance.
Tax resolution companies specialize in tax reduction strategies to resolve back tax debt and unfiled returns, including installment plans. IRS debt tax relief professionals also negotiate with the IRS and state tax commissions on behalf of their clients.
How does tax relief work?
Tax relief companies employ tax experts, including tax attorneys, certified public accountants and enrolled agents, who serve as intermediaries between their clients and the IRS. These tax experts work with the IRS to find ways for consumers to resolve their tax debt. IRS debt help experts also help consumers by negotiating tax relief programs, tax debt settlement agreements or tax debt installment agreements.
The IRS offers several tax debt relief programs. Taxpayers can apply for tax relief from the IRS directly or hire a tax relief company to help negotiate on their behalf. If you owe a tax debt of more than $10,000, it’s smart to hire a tax relief professional who has experience negotiating with the IRS.
Seek professional tax relief help if you owe more than $10,000
When you work with a tax relief company, its professionals negotiate a tax relief program for you. Some IRS tax relief programs, like innocent spouse relief, remove improper tax liabilities. Others, like the release of wage garnishments, stop the IRS from seizing your wages or assets to pay back taxes.
Tax relief companies use different types of contracts — some tax relief companies require clients to sign a contract, while others do not require customers to sign any paperwork and allow them to start and stop work at their discretion. Any contract you sign with a legitimate tax relief company should clearly define the scope of the work, the payment schedule and how you’re billed.
Common tax problems
If you have a tax debt, you should attempt to pay the balance as quickly as possible. Unpaid tax bills collect interest and monthly penalty fees. If you can’t pay everything you owe at once, negotiate with the IRS to come up with an installment plan. The IRS is patient — and even flexible — if you make an effort to set up a payment plan. Ask a tax relief company for help if you need assistance with tax problems, including:
- Unfiled tax returns: It’s always best to file your taxes on time, even if you can’t pay what you owe at that point. Unfiled returns create tax issues such as penalties, loss of refunds, refund holds, substitute for returns and tax resolution hurdles.
- Tax filing mistakes: The IRS may assess penalties and interest if you file a return with math mistakes, submit the incorrect form or file the wrong status. You can avoid tax issues caused by filing errors by filing an amended tax return with Form 1040X.
- Penalties and interest: When you don’t file taxes or file them incorrectly, the IRS charges failure-to-pay penalties and interest on unpaid balances. These penalties add up quickly — IRS debt interest compounds daily from the due date of the return until you pay the full balance.
- IRS wage garnishments: If you’re not making payments on your taxes, the IRS can have your employer redirect a portion of your income to pay your tax debt. The IRS can apply wage garnishments to hourly wages, salaries, commissions and bonuses. The IRS can legally seize up to 70% of your wages through garnishments until you make arrangements to pay the overdue tax debt. To qualify for the release of a wage garnishment, you need to provide proof of income and expenses to show how the wage garnishment creates a financial hardship for you. You can avoid wage garnishments by entering into an installment agreement or making an offer in compromise.
- Tax liens: The IRS can claim your property and assets if you neglect or refuse to pay your tax debt. Tax liens secure the government’s interest in your assets. A Notice of Federal Tax Lien may stay on your credit report even if you file for bankruptcy.
- Tax levy: If you owe taxes and don’t make payment arrangements, the IRS can seize your finances and assets. The IRS can put a levy on bank accounts, which lets the agency take funds to cover the balance you owe. Unlike a lien, an IRS tax levy takes your assets to pay off a tax debt. The IRS and state governments use tax levies to seize all types of property and assets.
How much does tax relief cost?
tax relief costs
$2,000 - $7,000.
Tax relief costs range from $750 to $10,000 or more, depending on your tax debt circumstances. Generally, the price of tax resolution services varies based on the complexity of the case.
A case of average complexity typically ranges from $2,000 to $7,000. Complicated tax situations are more expensive because they require additional work and documentation from the tax relief company. Highly complex tax relief cases cost up to $8,000 or more to resolve. Tax relief companies might charge as little as $250 for penalty abatement or upwards of $10,000 for an offer in compromise (OIC) case.
After a free initial consultation, tax relief agents usually charge a $400 to $600 setup fee. Tax relief companies vary on how they bill clients after this, however — tax resolution fees can be time-based, debt-based or a flat fee.
- Time-based fees are charged on an hourly rate, and the total cost is based on how long it takes the tax relief company to handle a client's case.
- Debt-based fees are set based on a percentage of the total tax debt the client owes.
- Flat rates are set based on the service and do not change regardless of the size of the debt or how long it takes the tax relief company to perform that service.
Types of tax relief services
Tax relief companies provide a wide variety of tax relief options to help people with unpaid taxes. These companies employ trained professionals who help you with multiple services, including negotiating tax debt. When you work with a tax relief company, the company creates a tax relief program for you that combines the following types of tax help services:
- Tax preparation: A tax relief company can help you prepare tax returns to file with the state government and IRS. Tax preparation services include filing a paper or electronic tax return, whether it's early or late.
- Tax consultation: Tax consultation is an excellent way to learn more about federal and state collection processes from experts. You can discuss your tax relief options for how to remove liens or levies, prevent seizure of assets and wage garnishment, set up a repayment plan or file overdue tax returns.
- Tax settlement and negotiation: Tax settlement is an arrangement in which the IRS accepts an amount less than your outstanding taxes to retire the debt. A tax relief firm helps you negotiate an installment payment agreement, partial payment settlement agreement, tax penalty abatement or financial hardship status. A tax relief company also advises you on the statute of limitations for IRS collections.
- Tax resolution: Tax relief companies provide guidance and representation to resolve tax debt. Tax resolution services include audit representation, criminal tax defense, installment plans, levy releases and penalty abatement. Tax debt solutions help you deal with the IRS to stop wage garnishment, remove liens and file unfiled tax returns.
- IRS appeals: A tax relief firm can file an IRS audit appeal or IRS collections appeal on your behalf. The Office of Appeals, an independent organization within the IRS, handles all tax forgiveness appeals. Appeals are considered informal if the Office of Appeals representative contacts you by telephone, mail or email for discussion. Before speaking with the representative, a tax relief company helps prepare a list of reasons you are objecting to the IRS’s decision. IRS appeals can take from several months to a year to complete.
- Business payroll tax relief: Some tax relief companies work with business owners who owe taxes to the government but cannot pay them. These issues typically involve payroll taxes, including employee wage deductions that have not been paid. Many of these business owners are at the helm of companies struggling to stay financially solvent. It’s essential to have this issue resolved to avoid the IRS seizing the company’s assets to fulfill the debt.
Tax debt relief programs
You can use tax relief programs to set up a payment plan or negotiate a tax debt settlement with the IRS. Remember, tax relief isn’t about shirking your tax obligation — it’s about making it easier to pay off your existing tax debt. Tax relief companies specialize in negotiating back tax debt relief plans on a client’s behalf.
- Offer in compromise: An offer in compromise is an agreement between a taxpayer and the IRS that reduces the total amount of tax debt owed. The IRS often agrees to an OIC if there is legitimate doubt over whether the taxpayer is liable for the taxes owed or if it is unlikely the agency can collect the tax debt. If approved, you can pay your settled IRS bill with a lump-sum payment or periodic payments. A tax relief company can help you apply for an OIC, or you can do it yourself. It can take the IRS anywhere from four weeks to eight months to accept an offer in compromise. Once you agree with the IRS on an OIC, you have two years to repay the amount.
- Innocent spouse relief: You could qualify for innocent spouse relief if your spouse or former spouse omitted or improperly reported items on your joint tax return. Innocent spouse relief only applies to tax debts on individual income or self-employment. Separation of liability relief and equitable spouse relief provide an allocation or deduction of tax debt if there was an error on a joint tax return.
- Installment agreement: An installment agreement is a tax repayment plan offered by the IRS that allows consumers to pay their unpaid taxes in monthly installments. Those with a tax debt balance of less than $100,000 qualify for an installment agreement. An installment agreement is guaranteed if you owe less than $10,000 and can pay off the full amount within three years. Typically, taxpayers who owe more than $100,000 to the IRS are not eligible for installment agreements. The IRS offers short-term and long-term installation agreement payment plans.
- Penalty abatement: Tax penalty abatement waives a penalty the IRS has issued to a taxpayer. These penalties are often given for failing to file taxes on time or missing a tax payment. You might qualify for penalty abatement if you were penalty-free for three years before receiving the penalty you’re attempting to have waived. You might also be eligible if you filed an extension request or if you paid or plan to pay the amount due. Because failure-to-pay penalties grow over time, you should pay off the penalty before requesting the penalty abatement. If it is granted, you receive a rebate.
- Currently Not Collectible: The IRS only declares a taxpayer “Current Not Collectible” if the taxpayer has no way to pay their debt. Currently Not Collectible status, also called a hardship extension, can be used to stop an IRS lien, levy, seizure or termination of an installment agreement.
- Fresh Start Program: The Fresh Start Program is a streamlined installment plan that makes it easier for individuals and small businesses to pay back taxes while avoiding tax liens, interest, penalties, garnishments and seizure of assets. The IRS Fresh Start Program began in 2011 for taxpayers who owe less than $50,000 and earn less than $100,000 per year. To qualify for Fresh Start, you must have filed all of your tax returns and not entered into another payment plan in the past five years. Those who have filed for personal bankruptcy are also disqualified.
How to settle tax debt
Nobody likes dealing with the IRS, but the longer you wait, the larger your tax debt becomes. Some different tax debt resolution options to pay off the IRS in full or partial payments include:
- Lump-sum payment: If you owe money to the IRS, it’s always best to pay in full to minimize interest charges and penalties. If you can’t make the whole payment all at once, you could qualify for an extension of up to 120 days.
- Payment plan: If you can’t pay everything you owe immediately, you can negotiate with the IRS to come up with a short- or long-term payment plan.
- Credit cards: You can pay federal taxes with a credit card. The IRS doesn’t accept direct credit card payments, but there are licensed payment processors that accept credit card payments on the IRS’s behalf. Be aware that these companies charge a fee to settle tax debt with a credit card. You must also pay interest to your credit card issuer until you pay back the amount.
- Bankruptcy: Filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy can discharge income tax debts under certain conditions. The debt must be at least three years old, you must have filed a tax return and the IRS must have assessed the debt within 240 days before you file for bankruptcy.
- Statute of limitations: Generally, the IRS collection process on taxes, penalties and interest has a 10-year statute of limitations. The 10-year period starts on the date of your tax assessment. If IRS tax debt forgiveness after a decade sounds too good to be true, keep in mind the period can be suspended multiple times and may last much longer.
- Hire a tax professional: If you owe more than $10,000, it’s smart to hire a tax relief professional with expert knowledge of how to negotiate with the IRS. The average cost of a tax attorney ranges from $750 to $10,000 or more, depending on the complexity of your case.
Tax relief FAQ
- What is a tax relief program?
- A tax relief program is a type of IRS debt solution that reduces the total amount of tax debt owed. IRS tax relief programs are available to people who either can’t afford to pay their tax debts in full (e.g., offers in compromise) or shouldn’t actually owe back taxes (e.g., innocent spouse relief).
- What is the Fresh Start Program with the IRS?
- The IRS Fresh Start Program allows taxpayers to pay off their tax debts through monthly payments over six years. Most importantly, the Fresh Start Program increased the debt threshold before the IRS files a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, expanded access to streamlined installment agreements and streamlined the offer in compromise program.
Fresh Start payments are calculated based on current income and the value of liquid assets. Fresh Start simplifies the process of paying back tax debts and helps people avoid interest, penalties, liens and asset seizures. If you owe less than $50,000, you are qualified to begin the Fresh Start repayment program at any time.
- Do tax relief companies really work?
- Yes. Tax relief companies help lower the amount of tax debt their clients owe, give guidance on audits and negotiate payment agreements with the IRS. However, some scam tax relief companies trick clients into paying high fees by promising to resolve tax debts and not performing any services.
- Can a tax debt be forgiven?
- Yes, taxpayers can have their IRS tax debts partially forgiven under some circumstances. The IRS forgives an outstanding tax liability only when they can’t collect more than your present financial circumstances reasonably allow you to pay. Put another way: The IRS can’t force you to pay back taxes if it creates a financial crisis for you. Keep in mind that IRS tax debt forgiveness programs do not erase tax debts, but they do reduce their burden.
- How can I get my tax debt forgiven?
- You can get your tax debt partially forgiven through an offer in compromise or another IRS tax debt forgiveness program, such as Fresh Start.
- Who qualifies for tax relief?
- If you fall behind on tax payments and are unable to pay your taxes in full, you may qualify for tax relief. Tax relief companies often require minimum tax debts before they help with back tax issues — $10,000 is the standard minimum debt requirement. It’s best to call several tax relief companies and speak to a representative to learn more about whether you qualify for back tax debt relief.
- Are tax relief companies legitimate?
- Yes. There are plenty of legitimate tax relief companies, but there are also many fraudulent organizations posing as tax relief companies. When considering whether a tax relief company is legitimate, look at its credentials and reputation.
Make sure the staff is certified and specializes in tax relief. A tax relief company must have a properly licensed staff member on board, such as a licensed attorney, certified public accountant (CPA) or enrolled agent (EA) to represent a consumer to the IRS. EAs, CPAs and tax attorneys are the only tax professionals licensed to practice before the IRS. The best tax relief companies have EAs, CPAs and tax attorneys on staff to represent you. If the company doesn’t have any of the above, it is likely a scam.
- Can the IRS take your house?
- Yes, the IRS can take your house if you owe back taxes. The Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights discourages the IRS tax collection division from seizing primary residences, however.
- Can the IRS take your car?
- Yes, the IRS can seize your car and other property if you have a seriously delinquent tax debt of more than $50,000. When the IRS seizes your car or another asset, the agency sells it and applies the proceeds to your tax debt.
- How long does tax relief take?
- A typical tax relief case takes two to six months to resolve. The time varies depending on the complexity of the case. If you owe more than $50,000 or have several requests with complicated moving parts, expect it to take longer. More straightforward cases, like tax penalty abatements, do not take as long.
- What do you do if you receive a letter from the IRS?
- If you receive a letter from IRS, it usually means you owe the IRS money, your tax return requires corrections, your tax return is delayed or the IRS has a question about your tax return.
- How do you file back taxes?
- To file back taxes, you must gather all your tax documents and download old IRS forms before you can prepare and submit the returns.
- How much should I offer in compromise to the IRS?
- The best way to know how much you should offer in compromise to the IRS is by figuring out your “reasonable collection potential,” or RCP, which is calculated by Form 433-A. To get an idea of your RCP, start with your total monthly income and subtract all necessary living expenses (rent, utility bills, groceries, car payments, etc.). Multiply that number by 12 to calculate your disposable income for the year — this is the minimum amount the IRS is likely to accept. For more information, consult the Offer in Compromise Form 656 Booklet. The IRS also has a free offer in compromise pre-qualifier tool to help you decide if you're eligible.
- What are the signs of a tax relief scam?
- According to the Federal Trade Commission, the most common tax relief scam is when a company charges taxpayers to negotiate with the IRS on their behalf but then doesn’t send in the necessary paperwork. The company claims that the request was denied and refuses to issue a refund. Some consumers have also filed complaints of tax relief companies making unauthorized charges. Some warning signs of a tax relief scam include:
- No free consultation
- Doesn’t assess your financial background or ask why you’re behind on taxes
- Doesn’t go over tax relief options, fee structure and refund policy
- Charges high upfront payments or default billing
- Guarantees drastic reduction or complete tax debt forgiveness
- Only contacts you through email or letters
- Uses delay tactics such as asking for the same document multiple times
- Claims your debt relief window has closed after receiving payments
Who are the tax relief companies near me?
Tax relief company reviews
Community Tax is a company focused on tax relief staffed by tax attorneys and bankers. The company focuses on a two step process to resolve tax issues.
- Nominal fees: Community Tax touts their fee policy for tax relief customers. The company first analyzes the customer's debt situation, then comes up with a tailored plan and fee suited to the situation, so clients needn't pay a large upfront fee for services. The fee is refundable if Community Tax can't help the customer.
- Online learning center: The Community Tax website offers a learning center where customers and potential customers can visit to learn about tax relief, debt and more.
- All flat rates: In addition to no fee upfront, Community Tax charges only flat rates for work and never tacks on additional fees for extra services.
- Convenience: Community Tax provides tax and IRS help to people who live all over the country, so the service is convenient to use no matter where a customer lives.
- Online presence: With Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages, Community Tax has an extensive and helpful online web and social media presence.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy and innocent spouses.
Wall & Associates is one of the country's oldest debt relief companies. The company is headquartered in Fairfax, VA.
- Customer service options: Wall & Associates offers customers a variety of customer service options, including live online chat and a toll-free phone number with representatives to provide help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Free consultation offered: Customers interested in tax relief can receive a free 30-minute consultation from tax experts at Wall & Associates.
- Varied services: Wall & Associates handles a variety of tax relief cases, including liens and levies, garnishments, seizures, penalties and more.
- Experience handling tax debt: Wall & Associates has been in business since 1982, which means they have a good deal of experience and an established track record for getting people out of tax debt.
- Certified experts on staff: The company has CPAs and Enrolled Agents on staff to handle client cases, so they are properly certified to handle tax debt with the IRS.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy, innocent spouses and business owners with back payroll taxes.
Founded in 2005, Larson Tax Relief represents clients in all 50 states. They specialize in helping businesses and individuals who are behind on their taxes and/or who have past-due tax filings and returns at both the state and federal level.
- Spectrum of clients: Larson Tax Relief helps all types of clients, including small businesses, large businesses, individuals, religious organizations and nonprofit organizations.
- Emergency tax relief: Larson Tax Relief works fast to get their clients immediate relief from collectors, garnished wages and levied accounts. They will then work on developing a long-term solution to make sure their clients have the breathing room they need to pay the amount they owe on their taxes.
- Nationwide tax relief: Larson Tax Relief is headquartered in Colorado, but they represent clients in all 50 states. Find your local toll free number on their website.
- Free consultation: Call Larson Tax Relief for a free consultation to find out how they can help you settle your federal or state tax problems.
- Real-world experience: Many of Larson Tax Relief’s attorneys have business experience, so they understand business taxes first-hand. Some are business owners, which gives them additional insight into understanding business taxes.
- Best for: Larson Tax Relief is best for businesses and individuals who need tax relief.
Attorney’s Tax Relief is based in Chicago and represents clients in all 50 states. They specialize in fighting for people who are facing problems with the IRS due to aggressive collections, an inability to make their monthly IRS payment, penalties and interest that are above and beyond what they can reasonably afford and/or who owe the IRS more than they can actually afford to pay.
- Legal help in all 50 states: Attorney’s Tax Relief is licensed with the Federal Tax Court, which means they can represent clients in any state, even though they are based in Chicago.
- Tax specialization: Attorney’s Tax Relief specializes in tax litigation, so they know the ins and outs of dealing with the IRS. Their areas of practice are tax fraud, taxation, criminal tax defense, IRS defense and offers in compromise.
- Free consultations: If you aren’t sure where to start with your tax litigation suit, call Attorney’s Tax Relief for a free consultation. You aren’t obligated to hire them after the consultation.
- Blog: Read Attorney’s Tax Relief blog for valuable information related to common tax challenges. The blog is updated regularly, so you can find up-to-date, relevant tax information there.
- Resources: Attorney’s Tax Relief website has a number of valuable resources available for free that can help anyone who is experiencing troubles with the IRS. Learn more about tax fraud, tax fraud defense, offers in compromise, levy releases and appeals.
- Best for: Attorney’s Tax Relief is best for individuals who need tax relief.
The Tax Resolvers is a traditional tax relief company that works with anyone who owes the IRS more than $10,000. Their staff includes enrolled agents, arbitrators, tax attorneys and CPAs.
- Multiple solutions: The Tax Resolvers work to find the best solution for each individual client. They help customers with reduce their debt through tax penalty abatement, pay their debt down with an IRS installment program and/or eliminate their debt altogether with an offer in compromise.
- Free consultation: Interested consumers can contact The Tax Resolvers or fill out an online request to have someone to contact them. The consultations are free and help consumers understand their options.
- Services: The Tax Resolvers’ staff help customers through a variety of services. They can help fight wage garnishments, resolve debt, file missing tax returns and explain customers’ legal rights.
- State taxes: In addition to helping with federal taxes, The Tax Resolvers can help those who owe back taxes to their state. The company has professionals who are knowledgeable about specific states’ laws and policies.
- Business taxes: The Tax Resolvers can assist business owners who have delinquent payroll taxes or sales taxes.
- Best for: Individuals and business owners with more than $10,000 in state or federal tax debt.
Tax Group Center is a tax consulting service headquartered in San Francisco, California. It has been in business since 2009, and offers services to people and businesses in trouble with the IRS or state taxing authorities. It has an office in Calabasas, California and in Post Falls, Idaho and also consults with clients through its website.
Tax Defense Network is a tax problem resolution company that works with individuals, business owners and people who are self-employed to resolve tax debt.
- Tax debt problems: Tax Defense Network can help you with problems including IRS tax levy, IRS tax penalties, back taxes, IRS tax liens, delinquent taxes and payroll taxes.
- Solutions: The company will work with you to find the solution for your tax debt problem. Some of the solutions they offer include tax debt forgiveness, innocent spouse relief, IRS appeals, a settlement agreement known as an Offer in Compromise (OIC), installment agreements and payment plans.
- The process: After a free consultation via telephone, the tax professionals at Tax Defense Network will collect information on your situation, review your case and give you a quote and timeline for resolution. If you decide to retain them, they will mediate your case and keep you informed every step of the way.
- Payment plans: Tax Defense Network’s tax professionals can help you figure out the best repayment strategy for your situation. Then they will help you petition the IRS to allow you to pay your taxes in installments over time.
- Resources: Tax Defense Network can equip you with tools to help prevent future problems. They will help you learn how to prepare for tax season and avoid tax problems in the first place.
- Expertise: The Tax Defense Network team has over 250 years of combined experience, including experience working for the IRS. They have the expertise needed to help you resolve your tax problems.
- Best for: individuals, business owners and self-employed people who have tax debt.
This law firm specializes in tax controversy, resolution, and litigation for corporations and individuals. They only staff attorneys with at least five years of experience handling simple and complex federal and state tax situations.
- Flat fees: Fees vary and depend on your situation. Victory Tax Lawyers will only charge you for services you need, so you won’t pay for anything that’s unnecessary.
- Free attorney consultation: Fill out a form to have an attorney contact you for a free no-obligation consultation.
- Experienced lawyers: All lawyers who work for Victory Tax Lawyers have at least five years of experience in tax law. This ensures you’re always working with someone who knows how to handle your account professionally and efficiently.
- IRS and state tax authorities: Victory Tax Lawyers has experience working with both the IRS and state taxing authorities, so they can help you with both federal and state tax issues.
- Options for individuals and businesses: Victory Tax Lawyers can handle both individual and corporate clients.
First Eagle Partners specializes in state and federal tax resolution for individuals and businesses. They have over 25 years of experience, and anyone can call their toll free phone number for a free and confidential consultation.
J. David Tax Law is dedicated to giving you workable and affordable solutions for both personal and business tax issues. Whether you face bank levies, wage garnishments, and Federal or State tax liens, J. David Tax law’s expert team can help. They are not a tax relief or tax resolution company.
Victory Tax Solutions can help you if you’re dealing with a lien, a bank levy or wage garnishments as the result of unpaid state and federal taxes. The company employs legal and accounting professionals to help people in all 50 states. It has been in business since 2012 and is headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
With a focus on helping clients with liens and wage garnishments, Anthem Tax Services provides both tax relief and tax preparation services.
- Services: Anthem Tax offers tax resolution, tax preparation, audit protection and audit representation, bookkeeping, garnishment and levy release, offer in compromise, penalty abatement, unified returns, installment agreement, state tax help, corporate tax prep and other tax-related services.
- Accreditations: Anthem Tax is an accredited member of the National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP), National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) and the Better Business Bureau.
- Enrolled agents: Each agent employed to assist in tax preparation or tax relief efforts at Anthem Tax Services is licensed by the IRS to prepare tax returns.
- Minimum debt required: $10,000
- Average length of process: The time it takes to receive relief will vary depending on your specific tax circumstances. Anthem estimates a timeline as short as one week up to six months, depending on those factors.
Fortress Financial Services offers tax resolution solutions to protect things like your bank account, business and personal assets and wages from levies, garnishments and seizures. They’ll help you identify a solution that requires the lowest repayment or settlement amount.
- Offers in compromise: Fortress Financial can help you settle with the IRS or state taxing authority for less than the full amount owed. They can help you prove things like doubt of collectability, or demonstrating you can’t pay the amount owed in full, and doubt of liability, or establishing doubt as to whether the taxes should be owed.
- Penalty abatements: Fortress Financial can help you establish “reasonable cause” so you can qualify for an Abatement of Penalties. Your lawyer will make sure the written request is correct and covers the necessary facts and persuasive legal arguments to obtain an Abatement of Penalties.
- Installment agreements: Fortress Financial can help you reach a fair installment agreement with the IRS and make sure your agreement doesn’t fall into default. They will make sure your monthly payments are ones you can easily afford.
- Innocent spouse: Fortress Financial will work with individuals who qualify for Innocent Spouse Relief. They can help prove whether it's unfair to hold a spouse liable for back taxes.
- Appeals: Fortress Financial has years of experience working with the IRS appeals system. They can help you file for the two main avenues of appeals: Collection Appeals Program (CAP) and Request for a Collection Due Process Hearing (CDP).
- Best for: anyone who owes the IRS back taxes.
Based in Sunnyvale, California, Tax Relief USA specializes in tax relief for both individuals and small businesses. In addition to providing tax relief services, the company also files taxes and provides bookkeeping services.
Tax Defense Partners was founded in 1998 in order to resolve problems with the IRS and help customers find relief from back taxes. Tax Defense Partners represents individuals and businesses both small and large.
Tax Resolution Institute has more than 25 years of experience handling tax debt nationwide. The company is staffed with certified tax experts to help consumers with their tax relief.
- Free consultation: Tax Resolution Institute offers customers looking for tax relief a free consultation about their problems with the IRS or back taxes.
- Licensed tax experts: Everyone who handles cases at Tax Resolution Institute has official credentials for handling tax relief, as either tax attorneys or CPAs.
- Tax resolution educators: The professionals at Tax Resolution Institute are experts at handling customers' tax problems. They're also tax relief educators, and they teach other tax professionals how to handle tax relief cases.
- Unconditional guarantee: The company offers customers an unconditional guarantee if they're unhappy with the service they receive. Tax Resolution Institute will refund 100 percent of the fee to unsatisfied customers.
- Easy accessibility: Customers can contact Tax Resolution Institute 24 hours per day via phone or their website, and the forms required for the initial consultation are available on the company's site, so people can get started at any time of day.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy,, innocent spouses and business owners with back payroll taxes.
US Tax Shield is a large national tax relief company. The company has offices throughout the country, including outposts in New York, San Francisco, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, and Los Angeles.
US Tax Solutions is a based in Hixson, Tennessee but offers tax relief for anyone in the United States.
- Enrolled agents: US Tax Solutions is staffed by enrolled agents, so qualified specialists handle cases for people in need of debt relief.
- Informative website: Their website contains a large amount of helpful information about tax debt, back taxes and what could happen to consumers who aren't able to pay off what they owe; the site explains wage levies instruct employers to withhold wages, bank levies instruct your bank to withhold funds from your accounts, and the government can actually seize property like boats, homes, and cars.
- Free consultation: Every customer interested in using US Tax Solutions Inc. is entitled to a free 30-minute consultation to gauge whether he or she qualifies for a relief case.
- Fixed fees: Once the fee has been quoted to a customer, US Tax Solutions Inc. will not change it or tack on additional costs.
- Excellent reviews: The company receives excellent reviews from customers, who have found the company's service to be outstanding.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages and individuals with a federal tax lien or levy.
Tax Champions, a tax relief company founded by CPA Walter Wotman, has over 30 years of experience helping taxpayers get out of tax debt across America. The company is staffed by tax professionals and offers a wide range of tax relief services.
- Range of experience: Tax Champions has a good deal of experience when it comes to dealing with debt relief cases. The company has handled cases ranging from helping a franchise of stores get out of payroll tax debt to helping a divorced wife with innocent spouse tax relief.
- Time in existence: The company has a proven track record helping clients for over 30 years, which means they have a range of experience to prove they are capable of handling relief cases well.
- Renowned experts: The owners of Tax Champions, Walter Wotman, is a tax relief specialist and a renowned expert on the topic. He published an Amazon No. 1 Bestseller in the Finance genre titled, "Tax Champions Guide to Tax Resolution."
- Free case review: Before any client decides to work with Tax Champions, they are provided a free case review by the company to ensure tax relief work will be necessary.
- Variety of services: The company provides a wide range of debt relief solutions to individuals and companies, but they can also act as CPAs and prepare tax returns for customers, making it a convenient one-stop-shop for tax help.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages and individuals with a federal tax lien or levy.
Tax Tiger was founded in 2002 by Kathy Hill. The company serves customers in every state in the U.S.
Success Tax Relief has over 60 years of experience in solving tax problems. The company specializes in services related to IRS audits and tax preparation for individuals and small businesses.
- Free consultation: Free consultations are available for those with federal and state tax issues.
- Tax relief services: Success Tax Relief services help clients settle back taxes and payroll taxes, stop liens, levies, garnishments, interest and penalties and other IRS problems and prepare unfiled tax returns. Audit appeal or reconsideration representation is also available.
- Accreditations: Member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers and verified by Dun & Bradstreet.
- 24/7 availability: Tax professionals are available around the clock for when you have questions about tax relief outside of normal business hours.
- Nationwide service: Tax consultation and preparation services are available in all 50 states.
Instant Tax Solutions is a tax relief company based out of Post Falls, ID founded in 2009.
- Legal experts: Instant Tax Solutions is run by tax lawyers, which means they are experts at handling the legal side of tax relief.
- Convenience factor: Instant Tax Solutions is a company serving people in all 50 states, which means customers can be anywhere in the country to use their services.
- Money-back guarantee: The tax relief services at Instant Tax Solutions come with a money-back guarantee, so 100 percent of customers' money is refunded if they are unhappy with the service they receive.
- Range of services: The company offers a wide range of tax solutions, from dealing with wage garnishments to bank liens, so they cater to a varied consumer audience.
- Customer service: Customers who use Instant Tax Solutions state the customer service they receive via the customer service phone line is helpful and convenient.
- Best for: Individuals with garnished wages, individuals with a federal tax lien or levy,, innocent spouses and business owners with back payroll taxes.
Compare Top Rated Tax Relief Companies
|Tax Defense Network|
Read 47 Reviews
Offers IRS debt solutions with financing options available. Refunds available within three days after payment. Employs tax attorneys on staff. May charge up to $500 investigation fee before giving a final cost estimate.
|Tax Group Center|
Read 110 Reviews
Requires a minimum tax debt of $5,000. Tax relief services start at around $1,500 and include a 100% price protection guarantee. Employs tax attorneys and CPAs on staff. Member of the California Tax Education Council.
Read 15 Reviews
Employs tax attorneys. Accredited by the National Association of Tax Resolution Companies and the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers. Provides free initial consultations.
|Tax Defense Partners|
Read 10 Reviews
Requires a minimum tax debt of $10,000. Tax attorneys and IRS-enrolled agents on staff. Accredited by the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers. Offers free consultations.
|Victory Tax Solutions|
Read 27 Reviews
Provides money-back guarantee if services don’t help clients. Employs tax attorneys on staff. Member of the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers. Provides free initial consultations.
|US Tax Shield||Read Reviews|
Provides price protection guarantee on tax relief services. Employs tax attorneys on staff. Offers free initial consultations.
|First Eagle Partners||Read Reviews|
First Eagle Partners consists of certified tax and legal professionals with over 25 years of experience. Experts in debt resolution, mediation, and negotiations offering a free, confidential consultation to assess your needs.
|Optima Tax Relief|
Works with clients who have at least $10,000 tax debt. Services cost around $4,000. Provides a 15-day money-back satisfaction guarantee. Employs tax attorneys on staff.
|Tax Relief USA|
Works with clients who have less than $10,000 in tax debt. Accredited by the National Association of Enrolled Agents and the National Association of Tax Professionals. Provides free initial consultations.
|Success Tax Relief||Read Expert Review|
Accredited by the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers. Offers free initial consultation. Back tax help services available in Texas and Georgia. Does not employ tax attorneys on staff.
|Tax Champions||Read Expert Review|
Charges a flat rate for tax relief services. Partial refunds available if billable hours don’t reach the flat-rate amount. Accredited by CalCPA. Provides free initial consultation.
|Tax Resolution Institute||Read Expert Review|
Employs tax attorneys on staff. Provides free initial consultations. Locations in Los Angeles, San Diego and New York.
|US Tax Solutions Inc.||Read Expert Review|
Accredited by the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers and the National Association of Enrolled Agents. Provides free initial consultation. Does not employ tax attorneys on staff.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.