Pompano Beach, FL

3.4/5 (73 ratings)

About American Van Lines

American Van Lines provides local and long-distance relocation services for residential and commercial clients. It offers partial and full packing and crating services and is able to transport specialty and high-value items. American Van Lines is family-owned and -operated and has been in business since 1995.

Pros

• Easy booking process
  • Storage options available
  • Flat-rate pricing system

Cons

• Some weight limits apply
  • No immediate online quotes

Bottom Line

American Van Lines’ state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. The company requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it might be worth it for the large fleet of shockproof vehicles.

Top American Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

American Van Lines did a marvelous job. The gentleman, the quality assurance folks and the rep who was on top of everything communicated very well. The transport took about a week...

Verified

... Everything was right on and the two men that came out to do the move worked and did everything. Not one thing in all my household goods was broken. I had 128 boxes plus the fu...

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, AVL can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post takes comprehensive planning and budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: AVL is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
  • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines costs

Pricing can vary greatly, depending on your location and the services requested. Hourly rates can start between $25 and $35 for shorter moves. Long-distance haul prices are estimated as flat rates. At the time of publishing, American Van Lines offers the following starting rates for interstate moves:

Moving fromSmall apartment*Three-bedroom house**
Los Angeles to Atlanta$4,549$13,110
New York to Austin, Texas$4,096$8,764
Dallas to Denver$3,022$6,191
Miami to Los Angeles$5,227$11,327
Houston to Chicago$3,429$7,095

* Based on average shipments for a one-bedroom apartment (4,000 pounds).

** Based on average shipments for a three-bedroom house (10,000 pounds).

American Van Lines FAQ

Are American Van Lines costs negotiable?
According to reviews, some customers have been able to negotiate a lower rate. American Van Lines also offers to match prices if you find a lower cost through another mover.
Is American Van Lines a broker or a carrier?
American Van Lines is registered as a carrier with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. It has 15 trucks, 51 trailers and 39 tractors in its fleet, according to the FMCSA.
Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?
Yes, American Van Lines can accommodate moving dates during weekends. It charges no extra fees for this service.
Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?
American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that are prohibited. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Is American Van Lines a good moving company?

We recommend considering American Van Lines for long-distance and cross-country moves. The company provides a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. As with many big moving companies, some American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. However, it has good customer ratings overall.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

My rep Dave was non-existent. He was out of the office then he was gone again and he had COVID. Other people had to step in. After I paid, the rep was awesome. The crew that came in the beginner were okay but there was a no-show which wasn't anybody's fault. So it took 14 hours in the freezing cold, with all the doors open. Trying to do the pack and move in one day when they were short a crew member might not have been the best idea but everything worked out.

The driver was awesome and so was the crew on the delivery end. I was kept informed and an automated system told me that my stuff was going to arrive at the new place before I was going to get there. That sent me in a tailspin. I ended up having to drive a bunch of hours to try to get there but there was no way I could get here by the date they told me. I got connected with the supervisors and I'm like, “I know this has got to be some automated system that was sent out.” They said, "It seems like, yeah, there's no confirmation. I doubt they're gonna be there." The movers ended up being here three days later. The company did what they said they were going to do. They took money off for the packing material they didn't use. And everything got here okay.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

We had to go from North Carolina to Texas, to Houston area, and American Van Lines gave us a three-day window for the pickup. They called and asked if we could do it a day early and we were willing to do that. We ended up with the truck breaking down that day, but we were still got to go that day. They were amazing. When Josh, the driver, got there, the gentleman who met him in town was already there waiting to get busy moving stuff. And they were done loading the house in three hours. We had done a lot of prep work and I didn't leave a lot for them to do when they got there. That gentleman built a lot of confidence in us. That was on the 27th and we unloaded on the 30th down here in Houston at a storage unit. They did just as great a job there.

But the lady who called me from their company to tell me that there was an issue with the truck was not super gentle or understanding to my surprise at what was going on. Since I had already adjusted my schedule to theirs, I was expecting a little more compassion in that. She probably was just the message bearer at 7 o'clock in the morning but it would have been nice to have a calm and compassionate person, even though I wasn't super calm to start with. Other than, it was a wonderful experience and they were priced very reasonably. We ended up paying less than the estimate because of not needing some things. Josh was really good. When he was the face that I finally saw, he thanked me for being so patient and very business-oriented.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I switched to American Van Lines because of the reputation it had. Simone was my contact for everything. And I could call her at any time or email her and I got good answers that satisfied my query. The move was from West Coast to East Coast, a tremendous, stressful move, but they made it worthwhile. The way the packing crew did it, they were wonderful. I was here on the West Coast with them.

Moving day, I was well-prepared because they had prepared me, they kept in contact with me through emails. And I would call and they would respond. So, I knew. And I knew when they were coming. I knew how many would be coming. They described the detail and it was exactly like they said. They had one of the best crews on the West Coast. They were here before the time they said. They waited outside, respectfully. They rang my doorbell to tell me they were here. They were waiting for the crew leader, the person who actually flew in from Florida to lead that group.

I had notes on doors and cupboards that I wanted specific instructions followed. They thought that was hilarious. They laughed and said, "Yes, ma'am." But they followed my instructions and I've heard them saying, "Miss Paula said no. She said you can't do that. Don't open that door." So they followed it. And they were respectful and saw the quality of my pieces. I have a beautiful chess set. I said, “I want that packed carefully.” And they followed everything to the letter. So, I was pleased.

I told five people about American Van Lines who have gotten different movers, "No. You need to go with American Van Lines. From the office to the young man who helped move, and the respect, and how they respected my furniture, lamps paintings and mirrors." They packed so well that I couldn't even unpack some of those things. However, I wrote a note and called American Van Lines, I'm a single woman and I couln't even take some of those boxes apart because they are very sturdy. And my question was, they packed those boxes, couldn't they help me to unpack some of those boxes? Also, I have informed them that as I went through my boxes, I found a broken crystal lamp, and so is my oven. So, they will handle it also.

Other than that, I enjoyed the crew. We talked. After they finished moving, they did it in record time, and they thanked me because I had everything categorized and color coded. They were saying, "No, no. That's definitely yellow. That goes in the dining room." So they were like my students in a classroom. And those are grown men. I love the camaraderie and the spirit among them that they had worked together before. So, I like the fact that American Van Lines had crews set up in different cities and states, so that when they came to the West Coast, they called the Bakersfield crew. That is what I've learned with that group. They worked together before. It was well-coordinated.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

The rep I had was okay at first, then I lost track of her for a little while. But it wasn't a big deal because towards the end, she got back in touch with me. I was a little concerned about the exact date they were going to pick me up, but at the end, she did a good job and let me know when they were coming. They moved 80 boxes and one and a half bedrooms because we got rid of a lot of stuff. So, it wasn't a whole lot and the items took about half a van. They did an inventory ahead of time, we estimated how much the cost was going to be, and we were really close.

The moving crew was a guy and a girl and they had done a lot of this before. They were really easy to work with and talk to. They were really professional. There were a couple challenges that they had and they did a good job solving them. So, I was impressed. In the end, there was a little bit of damage, but it wasn't enough to worry about and it wasn't their fault. All in all, American Van Lines came in at the price they said they were going to come in at and I enjoyed working with the guys that did the job, both on the pick-up and the delivery.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

The area is a western part of Wyoming, not far from Idaho. It's a rural area in Star Valley. So, there are a lot of companies that just flat out won't deliver here anything. I wanted to move out of California quickly. So, there was American Van Lines. They subcontracted out to Move for Less. They're the ones who did the picking up and delivering of everything. American Van Lines was more like a coordinator. They were polite. But I can tell they were super busy and suspect they are overworked because, talking to those folks, it seemed like they were juggling a lot of people. And something's weird about their phone system. It's oversubscribed. Even hearing and understanding people on their phone system is quite challenging.

Whoever set it up is trying to get as much out of it as they can for as little money as they can because it is very hard to understand what anybody on that system is saying. If they have any kind of strong accent, combined with that phone system, it makes it incredibly difficult to communicate with them. So, there were times I was actually wondering, "Am I talking to American Van Lines or am I talking to a scammer?" Because there are a lot of scammers in the field of movers. That was a big challenge.

The person I worked with, Destiny, was super polite, very professional and did her best to work with me on figuring out who was where and who would pick up what and when. So, in terms of the performance of the people working there, they did a great job and they do good with what they have to work with. They're just a bit spread thin and probably have too much of a workload. For as many people that are moving out of California, American Van Lines did a great job.

The folks that picked up my stuff were all professional and communicated clearly. There was a miscommunication early on in that I told them, "Hey, you're not going to be able to bring a big truck up here because my house has a service road. It's a tight turn. Even tow trucks have a hard time getting up here." They said, "Okay, fine, we'll send a courier truck," or a little box truck but it was still a huge truck. There was no way they would get it. So, they ended up having to move everything by hand a few hundred feet. Those were young, strong guys, so they did a great job. I took them well because they put up with the neighborhood I was in. It's a real pain for anyone to move out of or into there. They also put up with the fact that the house I moved out of has ridiculous numbers of steps for no good reason.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Maybe the worst service I've ever experienced. They are great at the beginning because they want your service. After the contract has been signed, it gets bad... Here is what ~ $15,000 of service from California to North Carolina has gotten us: First: After we agreed to the quote, a couple days later they tell us they don't have anyone in their company available to ship our stuff on time. So they are going with their "sister company" that we never agreed to. Instant bait and switch. Read a few other reviews - same thing happens to them. Second: We are still in the process of this move with them and their communication is non-existent. We have written countless emails to our moving coordinator asking if they received specific documents they require to deliver our stuff and never get a response.

When I call, I have to go through at least 4 different transfers to get a hold of our coordinator who appears to be the only person who is allowed to talk to us about our move. When we finally are able to get through to her, she blames us for the missing documents saying we were supposed to submit them - which we did via email because that was the only way possible even though she insisted it needed to be "submitted" but wouldn't tell us an alternative method. I try to explain that their original email had no links or attachments but she wouldn't listen. I even forwarded the original email they provided and she wouldn't acknowledge it.

The coordinator then transfers me to her supervisor who says she can't talk to me about the order # because it's under my wife's name - even though in the document my wife signed, it states the best contact is my name and phone number... Now my wife has signed a "power of attorney" document so I can officially speak with them. But I can't get a hold of anyone and no one will call me back. All I'm trying to ask them is if our stuff has made it to the North Carolina storage facility and if they can give us an ETA but they won't answer.

BTW, you'll learn later after your stuff has been moved out of your house that they allow anywhere from 3-21 days AFTER the day you say you need your stuff for it to actually be delivered. So - they allow themselves up to 21 days even though they have had over a month to plan the delivery. After complaining multiple times about the lack of communication, we received an email from Kenneth **, a Customer Service Manager. He was more responsive, but also dishonest. He told us on September 7th that our stuff would be delivered the following week. He confirmed this would happen again on the following Monday that our stuff would be delivered by the end of the week. Come Thursday, they tell us our stuff is being delayed and won't be delivered. They waited until Thursday to tell us that... If you're considering this company, please read all of these reviews and go with some other moving company.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

My experience began with TIMOTHY. He was a friendly and nice person. He took the inventory of my home and gave me a price based upon an estimated weight of the items, even though they claim they only go by how much space or cubic feet the items will take in the truck. He assured me that it was a binding quote and that they were professionals. They gave me a three-day window to arrive. July 28th to July 30th. I had to be out of my apartment by July 31st. So, July 30th was the last day for me to move from my perspective.

Closer to the move date, I talked to DEE or DEANNA. She verified what would be shipping in my household goods and made adjustments to my price to reflect what would actually be shipping once I packed. I paid an additional $700 over the original quoted price after they made adjustments. It was the SAME ITEMS I quoted originally, but since I packed them in more boxes than they expected, they charged me more because it would take up more space in the truck.

Then, I spoke with another woman. She told me that they would arrive on Friday, July 29th. No one showed up. I called frantically asking them what was going on. I said I had plans to get new movers. They assured me that someone would be there on Saturday, July 30th. No one showed up. Then, they assured me that someone would come on Sunday, July 31st and they gave me the driver's number. His name was BRANDON. Brandon said he couldn't get the shuttle truck and he couldn't come to me without it. After my panic, I finally said I would rent a small truck and then, he could transfer it to his truck. He finally agreed to come to my address. When he arrived, he called me from the wrong address and informed me that he could not pick me up because he didn't have a contract for my move.

I threw up my hands in despair and rented a truck. I got my brother and some movers from Bellhops to help me. They were right on time. As I got the last piece of furniture moved out, the driver called and said, "I have your contract now. I am on my way to move you out." At 3 PM, it was too late. I had to be out of the apartment on July 31st, or they would charge me an additional $13,000. I drove a moving truck 2,000 miles across country over three days stressed out and trying to hold conference calls while driving since I had not planned to take a day off of work. I was LIVID to say the least. This is not a reputable company. Do not do business with American Van Lines! Maybe you'll have a better experience than me, but it was AN UTTER NIGHTMARE for me.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I don't want to write a negative review, but honestly I don't know what else to do. I have been trying to get in touch with American Van Lines to check the status of my move for several days now and am literally just calling throughout the day and there's always one reason or another that I can't get a hold of someone. There have been several major issues with this moving company:

1. Misinformation they gave me during me quote (i.e. that the driver would give me my delivery date upon pick-up, that they didn't use third-party movers, and that my quote would be adjusted to be lower if I had fewer things or higher if I had more things - they adjust higher, but NOT lower).

2. Lack of communication - I haven't spoken to my move coordinator since before pick-up, and even then I had to call multiple times to get any information

3. Today is the final day for my delivery date range, and I still have not heard anything. Every time I call, I either speak with someone and after giving them my job number, I mysterious lose connection. Then when I try to call back immediately, I just wait and wait and when it is my turn "in the queue" and I get to the number 1 spot, it disconnects.

I just want to find out information about where my stuff is and I cannot get a hold of anyone. If I have to keep up my end the of binding quote, then American Van Lines should have to as well.

Resolution response: Aug. 3, 2022

The company contacted me and provided a resolution as requested.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

My experience with American Van Lines (AVL) was the worst experience I’ve had with any vendor, ever. They are a dishonest organization supported by individuals who are either incompetent or corrupt. They dished off my move to another company (a group that was under-resourced and lied repeatedly), and missed my move contract date, leaving me inside of a home I no longer owned. Through it all, they offered no support, and no reimbursement for my thousands of dollars in additional costs.

My move planning started on June 7th, at which time I agreed to a move for July 19-21, 2022. I was assured by my Sales rep Toni ** that my move should be “no problem,” as I was moving to Florida, which is AVL’s home base. On June 16th, I was introduced via e-mail to my ‘permanent contact’ at AVL, Joseph **. On June 28th I was told that Joseph was no longer going to be my contact, and I was going to work with Christya **. Since my move wasn’t scheduled for another three weeks, I figured it was no big deal.

By July 12th (a week before the move), I still hadn’t heard from Christya, so I reached out via e-mail and phone. When their phone system actually works, calls go to voicemail, and not a single staff member has their name on the voicemail, so there’s no confidence that the messages are even being delivered. She didn’t call me back on the 12th, but on the 13th I called back and got to her personally – That’s when she sprung it on me that “The truck that we were going to use for your move has mechanical problems, so we’re going to use a ‘Sister Company’ to do the move.” I was quite anxious about this change, so I asked Christya to get me a little more clarity on a specific move date, and who would be in charge from their ‘Sister Company,’ Old Baymeadow aka 1st Choice of Jacksonville. At that point, Christya started responding to me in ALL CAPS, and even sent me an e-mail addressed as “HEY” rather than by my name.

Since I anticipated issues and Christya’s e-mails started kicking back to me as “mailbox is full,” I escalated the matter to their management team and wrote a bad review online. As of Monday July 18th, the company still could not tell me who was going to be moving me, and my scheduled “pack” date was a day away with the transfer of the home to new owners upcoming. I got a call from their ineffective Customer Service Manager Ken **, who couldn’t understand why I was frustrated, since the move hadn’t even occurred yet. I asked him once again for details of who would be coordinating the move, and he told me that AVL would be coordinating everything, and he would call me on the afternoon of the move to ensure that everything was smooth.

After July 19th and 20th came and went with no move and no additional details, I brought all of my boxes to the new homeowners’ garage to make the move easier. On the afternoon of the 20th, I was told that the mover, Jerome would in fact be there on the 21st. In the morning of the 21st, Christya told me that Jerome was “on the way,” and he’d be there ASAP – I was so confident that I even bought lunch in-advance for the expected movers. Later that same day Thursday the 21st, (the last day of the contract) I was told by Christya ** that the driver, Jerome had a problem with his fuel pump and could not honor the contract date. I was shocked, and to this date I’ve never seen an invoice for a fuel pump. I spoke with Jerome’s dispatcher Nicole on Thursday night, and she told me he was back on the road and would be there Friday morning. While I was upset, there was really nothing I could do.

I texted Jerome on the 21st (no response) and called him at 6 am on the 22nd - he couldn’t tell me where he was, or when he expected to arrive. I then had to hire another mover (at my cost) to break down all of my 2nd floor furniture and store it in the new homeowners’ garage, living room, and guest room. Jerome informed me that his fuel pump was still not fixed on the morning of the 22nd, but he’d stay in touch through the day. Here I am with my possessions in a home that I no longer owned, with no expectation of when I would have my stuff out of their house. I was $1,750 in the hole (plus $400 in tips) for a separate mover, and another couple of hundred dollars for a hotel room. Jerome called me around lunchtime on the afternoon of Friday the 22nd telling me the good news that his water pump was fixed, and that he was just a short 5-hours away.

Jerome pulled up to the home at 7:40 PM on Friday the 22nd to start the move with his assistant, and to their credit (and with the help of myself and the new homeowner carrying boxes and furniture) we all finished the pickup past midnight at about 12:40 am on Saturday the 23rd. While I could nitpick about the minor issues from pickup through delivery, those pale in comparison. Jerome and his team did an acceptable job, and while we were quite frustrated with one another at the end of it all, those issues were relatively minor.

The only issue now is that through the process, the only thing I’d heard from AVL management was vague assurances of “compensation.” While they asked me what I wanted, all I asked for was simply the $1,750 paid to a separate mover and one night of hotel costs…nothing for the 2nd night hotel, nothing for the tips I provided, nothing for the fact that I was actively involved in the heavy lifting of my own move, and nothing for the massive inconvenience and contract violation. Even with that, the company has ignored my requests, and avoided most calls and e-mail. I have attempted to resolve the matter with the very friendly Customer Service Manager Cicely ** and even the owner Anthony ** with no success. I will share this experience with everyone possible, and I encourage you to avoid American Van Lines of Pompano Beach.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

This is by far the most unprofessional company I have ever encountered. Initially, the company was very responsive and detailed in instructions for my move prior to pick up. Once my items were picked up, it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone to answer a phone, email, or voicemail. Customer service doesn't answer any contacts, will blatantly hang up on you as soon as the call begins, and won't update for you for weeks while your things have not yet been delivered. Supervisor inboxes are full, so you cannot contact anyone else for help either. The ONLY way I could get someone to answer a phone call is by calling the "Get A Quote" line... I have never received an answer or a call back from customer service.

My delivery window that I was contracted for is nearly over, it's been almost a month since my things were picked up, yet no customer service contact will answer emails, calls, or voicemails. If you are moving, save yourself the stress and DO NOT USE OR TRUST THIS COMPANY. I've moved across the country several times and have NEVER experienced a moving company this terrible. Do not believe the 5 star reviews on their website like I did.

American Van Lines Company Information