Pompano Beach, FL

3.8/5 (91 ratings)

About American Van Lines

American Van Lines provides local and long-distance relocation services for residential and commercial clients. It offers partial and full packing and crating services and is able to transport specialty and high-value items. American Van Lines is family-owned and -operated and has been in business since 1995.

Pros

• Easy booking process
  • Storage options available
  • Flat-rate pricing system

Cons

• Some weight limits apply
  • No immediate online quotes

Bottom Line

American Van Lines’ state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. The company requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it might be worth it for the large fleet of shockproof vehicles.

Top American Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

American Van Lines did a marvelous job. The gentleman, the quality assurance folks and the rep who was on top of everything communicated very well. The transport took about a week...

Verified

... Everything was right on and the two men that came out to do the move worked and did everything. Not one thing in all my household goods was broken. I had 128 boxes plus the fu...

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, AVL can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post takes comprehensive planning and budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: AVL is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
  • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines costs

Pricing can vary greatly, depending on your location and the services requested. Hourly rates can start between $25 and $35 for shorter moves. Long-distance haul prices are estimated as flat rates. At the time of publishing, American Van Lines offers the following starting rates for interstate moves:

Moving fromSmall apartment*Three-bedroom house**
Los Angeles to Atlanta$4,549$13,110
New York to Austin, Texas$4,096$8,764
Dallas to Denver$3,022$6,191
Miami to Los Angeles$5,227$11,327
Houston to Chicago$3,429$7,095

* Based on average shipments for a one-bedroom apartment (4,000 pounds).

** Based on average shipments for a three-bedroom house (10,000 pounds).

American Van Lines FAQ

Are American Van Lines costs negotiable?
According to reviews, some customers have been able to negotiate a lower rate. American Van Lines also offers to match prices if you find a lower cost through another mover.
Is American Van Lines a broker or a carrier?
American Van Lines is registered as a carrier with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. It has 15 trucks, 51 trailers and 39 tractors in its fleet, according to the FMCSA.
Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?
Yes, American Van Lines can accommodate moving dates during weekends. It charges no extra fees for this service.
Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?
American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that are prohibited. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Is American Van Lines a good moving company?

We recommend considering American Van Lines for long-distance and cross-country moves. The company provides a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. As with many big moving companies, some American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. However, it has good customer ratings overall.

American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I switched to American Van Lines because of the reputation it had. Simone was my contact for everything. And I could call her at any time or email her and I got good answers that satisfied my query. The move was from West Coast to East Coast, a tremendous, stressful move, but they made it worthwhile. The way the packing crew did it, they were wonderful. I was here on the West Coast with them.

Moving day, I was well-prepared because they had prepared me, they kept in contact with me through emails. And I would call and they would respond. So, I knew. And I knew when they were coming. I knew how many would be coming. They described the detail and it was exactly like they said. They had one of the best crews on the West Coast. They were here before the time they said. They waited outside, respectfully. They rang my doorbell to tell me they were here. They were waiting for the crew leader, the person who actually flew in from Florida to lead that group.

I had notes on doors and cupboards that I wanted specific instructions followed. They thought that was hilarious. They laughed and said, "Yes, ma'am." But they followed my instructions and I've heard them saying, "Miss Paula said no. She said you can't do that. Don't open that door." So they followed it. And they were respectful and saw the quality of my pieces. I have a beautiful chess set. I said, “I want that packed carefully.” And they followed everything to the letter. So, I was pleased.

I told five people about American Van Lines who have gotten different movers, "No. You need to go with American Van Lines. From the office to the young man who helped move, and the respect, and how they respected my furniture, lamps paintings and mirrors." They packed so well that I couldn't even unpack some of those things. However, I wrote a note and called American Van Lines, I'm a single woman and I couln't even take some of those boxes apart because they are very sturdy. And my question was, they packed those boxes, couldn't they help me to unpack some of those boxes? Also, I have informed them that as I went through my boxes, I found a broken crystal lamp, and so is my oven. So, they will handle it also.

Other than that, I enjoyed the crew. We talked. After they finished moving, they did it in record time, and they thanked me because I had everything categorized and color coded. They were saying, "No, no. That's definitely yellow. That goes in the dining room." So they were like my students in a classroom. And those are grown men. I love the camaraderie and the spirit among them that they had worked together before. So, I like the fact that American Van Lines had crews set up in different cities and states, so that when they came to the West Coast, they called the Bakersfield crew. That is what I've learned with that group. They worked together before. It was well-coordinated.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

The area is a western part of Wyoming, not far from Idaho. It's a rural area in Star Valley. So, there are a lot of companies that just flat out won't deliver here anything. I wanted to move out of California quickly. So, there was American Van Lines. They subcontracted out to Move for Less. They're the ones who did the picking up and delivering of everything. American Van Lines was more like a coordinator. They were polite. But I can tell they were super busy and suspect they are overworked because, talking to those folks, it seemed like they were juggling a lot of people. And something's weird about their phone system. It's oversubscribed. Even hearing and understanding people on their phone system is quite challenging.

Whoever set it up is trying to get as much out of it as they can for as little money as they can because it is very hard to understand what anybody on that system is saying. If they have any kind of strong accent, combined with that phone system, it makes it incredibly difficult to communicate with them. So, there were times I was actually wondering, "Am I talking to American Van Lines or am I talking to a scammer?" Because there are a lot of scammers in the field of movers. That was a big challenge.

The person I worked with, Destiny, was super polite, very professional and did her best to work with me on figuring out who was where and who would pick up what and when. So, in terms of the performance of the people working there, they did a great job and they do good with what they have to work with. They're just a bit spread thin and probably have too much of a workload. For as many people that are moving out of California, American Van Lines did a great job.

The folks that picked up my stuff were all professional and communicated clearly. There was a miscommunication early on in that I told them, "Hey, you're not going to be able to bring a big truck up here because my house has a service road. It's a tight turn. Even tow trucks have a hard time getting up here." They said, "Okay, fine, we'll send a courier truck," or a little box truck but it was still a huge truck. There was no way they would get it. So, they ended up having to move everything by hand a few hundred feet. Those were young, strong guys, so they did a great job. I took them well because they put up with the neighborhood I was in. It's a real pain for anyone to move out of or into there. They also put up with the fact that the house I moved out of has ridiculous numbers of steps for no good reason.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I've known that American Van Lines has been in business for a long period of time, and they got a pretty good reputation. The only thing that I didn’t like was having to go through a broker to get to them. The move was from Maryland to Minnesota and because American Van Lines didn't have a van going that far north, they used Oasis. My brother said there was only one guy unloading that truck, but he did a fantastic job and was a hard worker. So, that went very well. They didn't put my computers in boxes though. Everything was packed already except for the computers. We had bought a couple of boxes from them, but the computers were never put in boxes. They were just sort of put in the van. My brothers didn’t know what to look for and I’m not there, so I don’t know what conditions the computers are in.

Other than that, the final cost was good. I did three places, and American Van Lines was in between the two. I didn’t want the cheapest, and I didn’t want the most expensive. So, I picked American Van Lines. The cost fit our budget and we were able to get it done. I would recommend the gentleman that did Oasis. He was a hard worker when he was here at the house. He hired a local person that I don’t think has ever moved stuff before, but I watched them pack the truck for a little while, and it was a good packing. The weight was what it was supposed to be.

The one thing that was concerning was I was gonna fly in to Minnesota and meet the guy there. He left on Monday, and he said he wasn’t gonna arrive until Friday because he was only allowed to drive 11 hours a day. So, I booked a flight for Wednesday. My flight leaves at 5:30 in the afternoon. I got a call in the morning saying he was already there. I went, “Holy crap.” I wasn't ready for that. What I did was I called my brother up and I gave him all the numbers needed to get into the storage unit. The guy took five hours, but he unloaded every piece by himself.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I dealt with several people at American Van Lines, and because of COVID, it was a little different. My move had to be rescheduled twice, and they were very accommodating and understanding of that. The hardest part was trying to get through to them, but I got that the closer I got to my move, the more available they were to me, and I got to know the people that I was talking with on the phone. I always felt comfortable with them.

We were in East Tennessee, but all the storage had to be picked up in Memphis, which was a day away. We had to make arrangements to get there in time for pickup. We met the driver there and she was very capable and I enjoyed working and talking with her. She let us know what her schedule was, that changed en route, and she was very informative and letting us feel like, "This is what's going to take place, and this is where it will be. I give you this certain amount of time of when it's going to be arrived, but I can approximately tell you just depending on weather and circumstances and other pickups that are called in too." Then she met us on the end.

The crew was different in Memphis. Then we had to pay extra for a different kind of truck to be able to come up our curvy mountain driveway and so the driver had to rent a different vehicle in Reno and it composed a different crew. I then had some furniture damaged and I didn't know if it took place in transport, settling, or with the movers transporting from Reno to a shuttle to get to where we are outside of Tahoe. The glass broke on one large painting, so that's going to be a little high dollar to replace it. They also ripped a large silk screen that I had gotten in Asia, which is pretty irreplaceable, and certain wood things I did. But with wood glue, I can at least repair them and fix them. I got one of the insurances, so I'm planning on report it within 90 days when we're still unpacking even though I was told that I had nine months.

I also had two huge pieces of furniture that would be impossible for me and my husband to put together by ourselves, and so before the crew left, I told them to put those two things together or help us do it, which they didn't like. I get that they didn't want the responsibility of it, but it had to be done, and it was in my contract. Overall, I really appreciate American Van Lines working with us.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

When I first called, I spoke with a girl who got my information and did an estimate for me. She was a hot mess and had a lot of trouble understanding what my items were. She didn't know what a sofa table was. It was a very long, slow process. Then, when I got the quote in, there were insane items on there, and the weights were completely exaggerated. She had a Ford fender on there. We had two bicycles in the garage, but she put in two mopeds. She also had our garbage can weighing 50 pounds, and it was just a regular little, standard garbage can. I called American Van Lines back and I got ahold of another estimator, being complained about how bad the estimate was, and that particular girl was wonderful and got the estimate cleaned up for us. I even called her back a couple of times to take things off that we decided to sell.

Then, a girl sent an email saying that she was our moving coordinator. She called one time to verify items on the list. Each time I called and left a message for her with questions, she never called me back. We were wondering when the movers are going to come. She called at one point saying it was scheduled between 7th to 9th, but they were running behind, so they couldn't come ‘til the 10th. I told her that's a big issue because we have to pay additional money to stay in the house even longer.

She said they only cover $30 a day. I told her that it cost us $70 a day to this company that bought our house. She said she would send in to the manager, request to pay 70 instead of 30 since that's what it would cost us. But then, I never heard from her again. I reached out to her multiple times and left voicemails, like, “Hey, can you call me? We want to verify if they're still coming on the 10th for pickup, we want to know if you're going to cover the $70.” She never called me back.

When it came time for the move, the driver called me on the 8th and said that they're going to come the next day, which was nice, and in the timeframe. Then hours after he called, the moving coordinator calls saying the same thing. I told her that I already knew that as the driver called me. Then, the driver themselves kept me well informed when they were going to come. She, again, called well after the driver called, and I told her I already knew. At this point, I was done with her ‘cause she was no help at all. But the driver, Steve, was amazing, and junior was the politest kid I've ever met. Everything was, "Yes, ma'am. Yes, ma'am. May I, ma'am??" My husband loved them.

Some of the items were broken when it arrived. We had one of those entertainment centers that can be bought at Walmart and they're made of a certain kind of plyboard. When they went to pick it up, the thing on the back just disconnected from the unit because it was screwed with plyboard. But we were not upset with little accidents like that, it was not their fault at all. Half the stuff that broke were the ones I got for free from work. It was just cheap furniture. We got a good crew and they worked really hard.

Original review: May 15, 2022

I told the guys that there was a very precious mirror. It’s a big mirror with a fancy frame on it and I told them to double wrap it. At first, we were gonna crate it but that mirror went from New Jersey to Puerto Rico with no damage. It was wrapped in umpteen amount of cloth. From Puerto Rico to Florida, there was no damage. It was, again, wrapped in umpteen amount. From Florida to Indiana, the floral arrangements on the mirror on the bottom were nicked because they didn't put enough covers on there. There's a coffee table that's got damage on it as well as a bed headboard. There are a few other things that I’m supposed to file a complaint or file a claim, but I haven't gotten to it.

American Van Lines sent only two guys and it took them 12 hours to load it and 14 hours to unload it. They didn't even get out of here till 8:30 at night. I was a decent person and I offered them coffee, water and whatever they wanted, as well as using the bathroom. All they had to do was ask. But when I told them that there was damage, they said they didn't do it and I was making up stuff. Then, they left me. They were so busy because it took them so long to load the truck. They were supposed to go with a tractor trailer and they showed up with a 32-footer straight truck. They couldn't fit the whole house in there. I had to load up my Ford SUV and my wife's car with stuff. And I had to leave a part of the stuff in my wife's car at the airport in Orlando so I could fly back to get back to finish taking the stuff over.

The bid was for a tractor trailer because Christian, the rep from American Van Lines, wanted me to make sure that the company would not be in trouble with pulling the tractor trailer at the delivery site. So, I had to make sure there was enough room in the street for the tractor trailer to fit. I told them that there was enough room on my street when we lived in Poinciana because my neighbor has his own parking lot carrier. When he did a little minor repair, he would bring the truck to the house and never leave it on the street. But he would bring it on the street and leave it parked in front of his house to work on the truck for a while.

On the day the guys were gonna leave, they asked if they could stay outside overnight and if the neighbor would complain. I said that I didn’t know. They may say something, but by the time they come around and say something, then they could leave. But it was Super Bowl time so, they got in a rush so they could get home before the next day so they could watch the Super Bowl. Then, the lady was telling me that they were gonna charge me $1,600. Christian and I talked and he said if the stuff had to stay on the truck, they would charge me $200 a day. And I said okay. But the lady said that he didn’t say that. I told her to call Christian and she can listen to whatever recording they have, and she’s gonna see that we decided that it was $200 a day. I said that if I have to pay $400 extra, that's still okay.

The guys went past the two days, which would have been my fault. They went another four days, which was their fault. But they didn't give me any break. I said that they were still within the window if they'd have delivered and not charged me. The guy said that he got sick. I told the lady that the guy was probably hung over. They were probably watching the Super Bowl, which is okay, but they should not make me pay for it. It was a horrible experience. The only one that I had a good experience with was Christian. Everybody else sucked, including the driver and the ladies in the office. The price that I thought was the cheapest turned out to be the most expensive. They kept my stuff for two days and I had to stay in a motel because the guy got sick. I wouldn't recommend American Van Lines to save my life if they paid me to recommend their company.

Original review: May 14, 2022

The two men who did the move were very nice, professional, clean and careful with our stuff. They put everything where we wanted it and it was very nice from that standpoint. American Van Lines did a great job. But they didn’t have a scheduled day to pick up. They gave a window of three days, which leaves you in the lurch trying to figure everything out. It was the same with the delivery. We had no idea when they were going to deliver, except that they would call. They did and said they would be here the next day. I understand that they cannot get an exact date but at least on the pickup, they could give you a closer date. But it is what it is. You live with what they give you. You don't have a choice of date. .

There was more money than they quoted but we had more things than we expected, too. So that was fine. We got moved. The only problem is they broke some things. The antique table that was broken was rather expensive but since we didn't shake that kind of insurance on it, it was by the pound and it would have only been a couple of dollars. It wasn't worth going through the effort so we didn’t.

Original review: May 13, 2022

A painting was stolen from our family. It was 'misplaced' by the American Van Lines company during a move from San Antonio to Tucson and the company just claims 'they cannot locate it'. This is an heirloom painting passed down from our great aunt to my grandfather to my mom. Painted by the Great Enrique D'Aoust, Belgian-born and Mexican resident painter. He painted a limited series of this kind of painting with the Calla Lily flowers. This painting, more than invaluable has always had sentimental value in our family as it was in the center of our home for many decades. Now it is lost or kept by someone who perhaps knows how valuable it is.

The company wants to pay me 15.00 for the loss. The move was never signed as received due to the mess they had, leaving furniture that was not ours, returning it and losing the painting. We still have a table they haven't bothered to pick up. The move was done last November. The BBB says that the company doesn't respond. Please, maybe you can do something. Thank you in advance for any help. Joanne

Original review: April 29, 2022

We were trying to move quickly and during a pandemic, and the rep was very friendly and helpful. But it would have been better to go with someone in person. So if I ever have to move again, I would do that. But the moving crew did a great job. They were amazing. They were faster than even they had expected. They were very considerate. We were leaving that day. So, they were super helpful.

Our truck broke down in Kansas City and was stuck there for almost two weeks, and it was the truck driver that we became friends with. He was the one who was telling us everything that was happening. The whole time, we could not get ahold of the van company. Every time I called, they would say it would be delivered the next day and I would say that it's impossible because the truck driver says he's literally still in Kansas. So, the communication was lacking. I know that American Van Lines was busy and there was a lot of stuff going on but it was such a stressful situation. And without the driver being as amazing as he was, we would have gone absolutely crazy. Everyone I talked to were super friendly, great and wonderful.

Original review: April 20, 2022

This is the most awful experiences I have ever had. First, I thought American supposed came with big 18 wheels truck to come to my big house to pack and picked up my moving items. Instead they showed up with rental trucks and no one even called me before and told me they were going to move my items to storage and then use a big truck later on. Then the move delayed and again no one even bother to called me and like they forgot your move and delayed on my move. When I called them almost two weeks and they told me my items are still in storage at storage. Then gave you $30 per day on their delay, but they charge you $200 per day when yourself need to delay on your move. This is not even the worst. When the moving finally here and my furniture and some items are all damaged, and they lost about 20+ items (boxes, floor lamps and a lot of personal importance items, and custom made items).

When I called them again, the side contract company they use, not American Van Lines. They told me so irresponsible and said “oh we couldn’t put all items on the truck yet and the truck left, and we were supposed to call you" but which they didn’t at all. I asked them when the items will be delivered and they told me, "Whenever we have truck heading that way." ARE YOU KIDDING me. I PAID AND BEEN CHARGED for full amount and they told you they have no ideas when you are getting rest of your personal belongings. If I can give 0 star and I would. I called customer service a few times and they kept telling me someone going to call me back, but YOU WILL NEVER get a call back at all. I need to call lawyer to take care of this and this is very ridiculous. My kids were crying and family were upsetting because none of them could get their important personal belongings. TOTALLY not recommend.

American Van Lines Company Information