Call toll free
4.49/5
Based on 442 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your local, commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

1776 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 10 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Called on July 30 to get a quote from FL to CA, agent notified me that there's a 50% deposit, but not mentioned anything about it being not refundable and I was charged right after the call, even before receiving the contract. Also, I was told during the call that the pickup date will be Aug. 3 to Aug. 5, delivery window Aug. 6 to Aug. 28 and I should get an update for both pickup and delivery on Wednesday. Got an email from a Quality Assurance Manager on Tuesday, replied an hour later with some questions (about 3 pm), no response. Called with the direct extension, no response.

On Wednesday, got a call from the moving coordinator before 4, didn't hear it but called back in 5 minutes, and tried multiple times for more than an hour, no response. By the end of the day, got an email saying the pickup will be on Aug. 3, no delivery time window update and will call me on Thursday with more information. On Thursday, waited all day and didn't get a call. Later they claimed that they called me several times, but I didn't receive even a voicemail nor email. I have to call back to the general customer service (none of the direct extensions for those who should be responsible for the move worked) to get a pickup time window, STILL NO delivery time window.

On Friday morning (today) there's still no update on delivery time window. Also we have an emergency and didn't know when we will arrive at our destination. So we are thinking cancel the move for now, as we did not get the delivery information as promised and the schedule can be a mess. Called the agent that helped us with the reservation, he said "you'll know the delivery time when the driver come for pick up" and the deposit we put was not refundable. That is absurd.

First, I was originally told that there's an accurate time window on Wednesday, then it was delayed to Thursday, and then Friday, AT the pickup time. They didn't hold the promise to inform the customer timely. There's no way we can make sure the schedule works based on a THREE WEEK delivery time window! Second, I have to call them most of the times instead of waiting for calls/emails, they just don't care. (An agent said they'll call me back for the issue, nothing after more than an hour.)

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I used this company for my move from Florida to New Jersey at the end of 2017. Things took a change and I had to move back down again so when we did the estimate over the phone I sent them the bill and inventory list of the previous move. I expected some difference in the cost as I had gotten rid of some things, added others and depending on availability at the time I needed the move. The final invoice was $1200 over the estimate!!

First off, they contracted my move to a company called Traditional Express Van Lines. They showed up a day late with a van that was way too small to accommodate my household. They claimed they got the numbers from American but if this was true they would've known they needed a bigger truck. Once finished, one of the movers advises me that it usual to tip 10% on a move like this, which is absolute ** as the total cost includes gas and mileage and what not.

He requested that I pay them $300 but if I can give more it would be great. I was then given a delivery date, well within the time frame they had estimated and I made adjustments to my work schedule to be able to receive the goods. Then this date was pushed forward because there were issues with the delivery truck. They still delivered within the time frame but I feel that is irrelevant. Don't give me an arrival date unless you know for sure they will be there.

I managed to be there when they unpacked but right after I had to rush to the airport to go away. I have now moved my things into my new home, or at least what is left of them. Due to incompetent movers and packing they have ruined the following items: 1. My dresser. The bottom frame has broken and it is now unusable. 2. My bookshelf is smashed and is unusable. 3. Two of my dining chairs have legs broken off. This happened on the move up as well. 4. My TV stand has been bashed in the front and the inside of the drawer is broken. 5. My lampshades were pushed into a box and has been all crumpled up. I cannot find one of my soundbars for my TV either and I will not be surprised if it is missing.

I have NEVER, EVER in my life had to deal with a company as incompetent and amateurish as this. It's borderline criminal and I just wish NO ONE will ever use their service again. It's a damned disgrace. I've tried calling my representative twice but they don't pick up. Stay as far away from these clowns as possible. They don't care about your move at all.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: July 24, 2018

Frustrated with AVL. They picked up 6/23. On 6/6 the office said they had no word from driver so would call back on Monday. Sunday I get a call from driver that he’ll be here the next day at 1:00. Ok, even though I wasn’t expecting it, it would work out. Around 2:30 the next day I finally called the driver and he said he was still far away and he couldn’t get here til 6.

First of all, why couldn’t he call me to let me know he would be late? Second of all, I told the office people that there could be no moving after 5 or on weekends due to building policies. Why he was so late, I don’t understand. So I told the movers I couldn’t take it after 5. He said, "Well I'll have to deliver it another time." I asked if he could come at 7 the next morning and he said no, he has other jobs. So I was left with no info on when this would come again. I finally did find out it was put in storage in MA. It was coming from FL to PA.

It is now the 24 of July and I still have not been told when it will get here. Calls have taken anywhere between 1-8 days to return. I keep getting, I’ll call tomorrow to let you know... Next call is supposed to come tomorrow. Last time I heard this it took a week to call me back. I’m going on vacation next Monday! I never in my wildest dreams thought it would take this long.

They claim it’s my fault that I never told them before 5 pm. Supposedly they listened to all the recorded calls, but I know I told them and my sister was sitting right there when I made the reservation and she heard it. I was told by my original contact that I CAN listen to all the phone calls, and I plan to when I get back. I just want my mothers things before I leave so I’m not worried about it anymore. This is ridiculous. The communication is horrible. Sorry for the rant.

Updated on 08/10/2018: Saga continues. Even though American Van Lines claims this was resolved, problems continued after I agreed to $200 off my bill for the headaches during the long confusing delivery window. I had not yet received my things. They finally came at a time I told them I’d be out of the country on my first real vacation of a lifetime. After having so many near misses on delivery, including the promised week before this vacation, I decided to find a friend to be here when they set a date for the day after I left on vacation. Just to be done with them.

While on vacation, At a little after the time they were expected at my house, I called my friend to see if everything had gone ok. She said she never heard from them and was going to call them. I called the company and because I did, I averted another disaster. They were in the process of delivering my stuff to another client. Calls were made by the company and the furniture was rerouted to my address and they barely made it in time to move it into our condo. We have a 5:00 cutoff. So finally everything is delivered, or so I thought. Not the stress I wanted on vacation.

My friend sent pictures and I could see some things that concerned me. A box that was broken open, and a few things I couldn’t see that made the move. But, I figured I’d wait til I got home to really see what was what. To my shock when I got home, I open boxes and things are not wrapped in paper or bubble wrap as expected but rather wrapped in towels that look like they were pulled from my deceased mother's estate?! I know we had bagged up all the linens and had bags of them sitting in the living room to be dropped off.

The glass on the clock my grandfather made was all broken, it was wrapped in one towel and set in the bottom of a box and then other things were put on top of it. It was not packed tightly so I can imagine things bumping around in there. Then a huge dish pack was loaded with various glass and silver items, again wrapped in towels. There was an antique Tiffany lamp wrapped in a mattress pad?!! Amazingly was not broken. This was in an American Van Line box so I know the movers packed it. When I called the company, they are telling me that they didn’t wrap most of the boxes. My brother set the glass things I was taking into boxes just to keep it organized in the midst of all the other things being moved out of my mothers estate.

I had packed what I could but left the breakables to the “professionals”. When he told the movers these things needed to be “packed”, it seems the movers didn’t know enough to actually wrap and pack these things as professional movers and just threw in some towels and packed the glass items in the boxes he had set to be “stuff to be packed and moved”. Wouldn’t a professional moving company make sure they secured breakables if their client (me) told them they would be needing to wrap and pack some breakables that I left for them? Yet they just taped up these non moving boxes without consulting with my brother who was there when they were.

And the worst part is my parent’s chest of silver flatware is nowhere to be found. It is very sentimental to me and yet I have no idea where it went. They are looking for it but after seeing the poor organizational abilities of this company, it will be a miracle to get it in my hands. The drop off driver left me the wrong order slip and instead left the slip for the other place they started delivering it to. I contacted that person and pray to God that my silver ends up there. It is insane!! I advise you to use a reputable company and get every little detail in writing, documented and detailed. They list boxes on my packing slip as big, little, medium. That really does not give you any specifics for when you need to file a claim about the service.

I would also oversee every little thing they pack and label as the company is claiming they only packed 2 boxes when in fact they packed 5. I could not be there for the pick up, as often happens for busy working people moving from one town to another, but I highly recommend you are. This has been a total nightmare and taken up my whole summer. I even had to deal with issues on my vacation! It just never ends, now as I await my silver and will to file claims on broken items among other things. I will say one person took on my case (why I rated 2 stars) and has tried to get things resolved but the company is too disorganized and it’s out of his control. Also, they do outsource their actual movers so you never know the quality. I had NO problems when I made another cross country move with Mayflower. What a difference. To be continued...

Original review: July 20, 2018

My daughter used American Van Lines several years ago when she moved from Illinois to Virginia and she recommended them. The moving coordinator came and surveyed what needed to be done, gave recommendations, provided boxes and tape, and then other things that we required. He maintained contact to be sure that everything was going as expected. The packers also did a wonderful job and were very professional and thorough. They provided all of the necessary and even helped with things that I was not absolutely sure of as to what direction it should go. It was a good experience.

Original review: July 18, 2018

The moving coordinator from American Van Lines was very thorough and very easy to work with. She understood our situation and did what she said what she was gonna do. I had two different crews come because part of my stuff was going to an apartment and part of it was going to storage, so there was a lot of activity. On a whole, everything was excellent.

But I had an incident where people were trying to get everything done quickly, and a sticker was put on a gold leaf frame of a very expensive painting of mine, and I told them they can’t do that. And when it was pulled off, it pulled off the gold leaf. I was gonna make a claim but the guy told me that I could do that but it would be taken out of their pay. And so I wasn’t gonna take it out of their pay because they worked hard. But this was so unnecessary because every painting was boxed. So the sticker could have gone on the box or it could’ve gone on the back of the painting. This was supposed to be a corporate moving team, so I was not happy with that. Other than that, everything else was very efficient. They were polite, professional, and they did a great packing job.

They had five people packing for my stuff that was going to storage, but they only had three people packing for my move to the apartment. I was supposed to be in my apartment that night but I didn't get in. That was a little bit inconvenient and it was a very difficult move for me because I had pneumonia. But with all that being said, they were very easy to work with.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: July 16, 2018

American Van Lines was frequently touching base to make sure that we were ready to go with the move dates and that we knew how the process was gonna happen. It was thorough communication. One person was in contact with us about all the items in the house and as far as knowing how big of a truck to get and that all worked out great. We knew that we should over-estimate rather than under, so they were clear that it would be by weight and not by items, so it was good. The people during the move were great. We weren’t here when our stuff arrived but the loading process and the driver were great. That day was lickety-split. They had it really well done. American Van Lines did their end of the deal really well. I would tell other people to use them and I already have.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We were moving from Texas to Arizona. We were going home. And our son, who is an attorney, did some investigating about the different van lines and found out that American Van Lines is a decent organization. Their customer service was okay and there was a lot of phone calls back and forth with our moving coordinator. American Van Lines didn't give a quote, but there was a minimum and if you go overweight, then you pay so much more. They'll give you a firm quote, but then if you don't make that weight, you still have to pay that price. And once we signed the papers saying we were going with American, the guy we initially contacted gave us to somebody else. And they did okay and we got the move done.

The crew was good but the driver was never available. He was supposed to be there at 11 o'clock and we talked to him that morning at 7:00. And the day he was supposed to deliver our furniture, he got here and he was out of time but he had checked out with his company. So he couldn't come out, and he said he was sitting at a Walmart. I've lived here for my whole life and I knew where the Walmart was. It was 20 minutes away. So it would not have been an effort to come on out. But he couldn't do that because he was out of time. He was in town at 8 o'clock in the morning. So, it was sketchy at best. And he had his own agenda.

Overall, American Van Lines will get the job done, but you got to be on top of them all the time. We had used somebody else when we moved before and my experience with American Van Lines was about the same. They're all the same. They wanna sell you their product and then they have their own agenda after that. And American Van Lines was priced right compared to the people we had before. It was a fair deal for what we had. Also, we only had two issues when it came right down to a two pieces of broken glass and we're still waiting for the American to decide what they're gonna do with it.

Original review: July 10, 2018

American Van Lines doesn't have a local representative in the San Antonio area, so working with their moving coordinator had to be done by phone. It would have been helpful if somebody could have come out and looked at my property. Also, they underestimated the packaging that we would need. Otherwise, my move from Texas to Nevada went fine. The folks that came out to do the packing were there and the company in Florida was able to help coordinate all the times. They made sure that everybody was there when they were supposed to be and it all worked out well. They did a good job.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I had a great experience with American Van Lines. Our daughter lives in Bradenton, Florida and we were in Roseville, California. We're getting older so she asked us to come and move closer. We haven't moved in 36 years so I had to find the best company out there. I went to ConsumerAffairs and they rated them as the top one, so I called them. The first person that spoke with was Steven and he was very nice. And then Teresa called all the other times and she was very, very nice to us as well. Every question that we had, they answered. I had to tell them that I had more household items to move and they just accommodated me.

Our driver was Ronald and he did a wonderful job. He was very, very accommodating and he handled everything. The moving crew worked until they got their stuff done. I haven’t had anything broken, but I wrote to Teresa to tell her that one of my husband’s printer was missing. She accommodated us and gave us $75 credit. But two days ago, I opened one of the big boxes and there it was inside. So I told her to readjust the $75. We were very, very happy with the service and they got here really quickly.

Original review: July 7, 2018

American Van Lines had good customer service. I talked to the people on the phone and I liked the way they handled things. They seemed very professional and so, I went with them. I also really had a good time talking to the crew during the move. Everything was wonderful.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We’ve moved numerous times going cross-country, but the whole experience on our move with American Van Lines was very good. My husband and I were moving back to Texas which is our home state for my husband's job. I worked with Brian who came out and gave me an estimate. He came out about four times because I sold some furniture as there were some stuff I decided not to take and to make sure that we were right on target with the cost.

Everything with the move went really well. The movers showed up when they said they were, we didn't have anything damaged nor broken, and the pricing was good. Our only outstanding issue is with the baby grand piano which we had an outside scheduler for and that went horrible. Also, the only complaint I have was that one of the movers complained nonstop. I know it was hot and exhausting, but it was also the job. The funny thing was, I was in Florida and a gentleman was complaining, and then my husband was in Dallas to accept delivery and he told me that there was this guy who just kept complaining. And it was the exact same guy. The team argued a bit too which was unprofessional. Still, I would tell my friends that it's been pretty easy moving with American Van Lines.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 5, 2018

I liked American Van Lines' moving coordinator. She kept me well-informed and answered all my questions. Their driver was great and their crew was nice as as well. However, when we got to unpacking, we discovered that two bottles of my husband’s medicine were missing. Also one of the legs was broken off my grandfather’s antique tobacco stand which is a little table on four legs. I left a message for Nicole from American Van Lines and someone else who called me back said that they were going to report my issue to somebody somewhere. Though I'm still missing medicine that cannot be replaced, I still loved their driver. He was very professional and funny. I thought he did a good job as he got everything to me on time.

Linda,

I am sorry to hear of the concerns you have regarding the damages to your furniture and missing items. Our office is continuing to work diligently to address all of your concerns. Please note that our office is still awaiting receipt of your claim form. Once receive your claim form we can begin reviewing and rectifying any damages or items that were lost during your move. Our office will continue to work reach out and work with you to resolve your concerns. Thank you for allowing us to work with you and I am sure we will resolve this amicably for you once we receive your claim form.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I actually used the Consumer Affairs reviews to decide to call American Van Lines for a move from Missouri to Oregon. I had a good experience talking with "Keith" who took all my information and inventory of belongings. I was downsizing, selling much before the move and had minimal belongs left. I was quoted $3800 and satisfied with that quote, proceeded to make the reservation. I was told a contract would be sent and they needed a credit card number for the contract down payment, which I gave. The next day, before the contract was emailed to me, I was called by Keith and told that "sorry, too bad," but prices were raised beginning on the date I needed, and it would now be $5,000. I said, "DO NOT PROCEED, do not charge my credit card," and Keith agreed that he would not. I called a few other companies and all quoted $3800, so this is apparently an industry standard for a minimal shipment this distance.

I went with another company. I called Keith back to say I wasn't going with them and to verify again that I would not be charged. Imagine my surprise a couple of days later when I saw that American Van Lines had charged me $1900. It took one day less than two weeks and more than one phone call to get this "refund" which I had not given them authorization to charge in the first place. I would not do business with this company. It was a bait and switch, and with no contract with me, they charged me as if they had one, then claimed it took several business days to issue a "refund," even though it took no days at all to charge it.

Hi Carol,

I’d like to apologize for the miscommunication you received when we quoted your move. After Kevin spoke to you, he realized a mistake was made on your estimate and called you back 30 minutes later to explain the difference. You chose to cancel your move at that time and look for another option. Kevin didn't realize that your credit card was charged by our computer system since you booked the move within an hour previously. When you notified us of the charge days later, we quickly reversed the charge and credited your card. Even though we did the credit immediately, your credit card company may take a week or more to show the credit.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Customer service at American Van Lines seemed to be pretty good. They got everything organized and they were there on time and they were courteous. They sent follow-up emails and receipts, so everything was documented online. The moving crew was very efficient. They got us moved really fast in less time than they quoted, so I saved a little money. And that was a nice surprise. American Van Lines did a good job. They followed up with me ahead of time and let me check off all the stuff that we had to move so they knew what we were moving. And they had a big enough truck and people to help move. I was pretty satisfied.

Original review: July 3, 2018

American Van Lines was exceptional and everything was top of the line. Everybody was great and friendly. I was on a cross-country move from Florida all the way to Nevada and the movers handled everything exceptionally. They were all very nice people.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I'd recommend American Van Lines. The type of service that I was gonna receive from them sounded better than other places that I checked out. My moving consultant was great and pleasant to work with. The crew that I had during the move was great, too. They did the things I asked them, and they went out of their way to accommodate me.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I was having a 300-mile move from the center of the state to the coast. It’s about a four-hour drive. From the time we signed the contract with American Van Lines, we had a coordinator told us when they’d be there and the guys called me when they were in route to be at my house for the pickup. And then they called me when they were just about an hour out from delivery. The moving coordinator was a very knowledgeable and a super guy to talk to on the phone, and his negotiation worked out. Then those guys that did the move were fast. They loaded me up one day and then they brought it down the next day. Nothing’s damaged. It was a very pleasant experience. And I’ve already recommended them to my neighbor.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I was very apprehensive about this big move from Florida to Texas but all the people I spoke with at American Van Lines were supportive and reacted quickly to my questions. My furniture and boxes arrived on time and in good condition. The movers were courteous and helpful. I would not hesitate to recommend this company to anyone contemplating a move.

Resolution response: Aug. 13, 2018

American Van Lines did arrive and load my household items on the second date promised. The driver and movers provided awesome service and completed the loading task in a very timely manner. My household items arrived at the requested destination on the time requested. Again the driver (same one that picked up my items) movers provided great service. We have found a few items that have been damaged during the move and working with the Claims Department regarding this matter. American Van Lines did provide a compensation on the final billing to make up for the first missed pick up date. Should I have to move again I would contact American Van Lines.

Original review: June 30, 2018

We contact America Van Lines (AVL) in April for a move/pick up on June 28-30. We agreed to their terms and provided a 50% deposit. Our move is from AZ to PA. On June 23 Chole from AVL called and stated the truck scheduled to move us broke down and they were working on a solution. From her call till June 29, we had no idea when our items would be picked up. On June 29 Chole called and stated our items would be picked up June 30 between 9-12 am. The driver contacted us the morning of the move and stated he had NO help and his truck was full so he was not going to pick up our items. Several calls to Customer service and we feel we are left in a poor situation. We have to be in PA by this coming Friday and it's a four day drive. At this point I would never recommend the company to anyone.

Hi Chuc,

Please accept our apology for the delay you have experienced on your pickup time. You hired our company to move you from AZ to PA between June 28 and 30th. Unfortunately, we could not meet these dates because our truck was filled up by a previous customer unexpectedly. We were able to reposition another truck to do the pickup a few days later but it was inconvenient for you. Instead we both agreed to pick you up on July 10 or 11th which was a date that was acceptable to you. You hope to work a little extra harder for you and finish this move positively and restore your faith in our company.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I was very satisfied with my move with American Van Lines and we probably would be using them for our future moves because of what we experienced. They’ve called us many times to make sure we got the information through email, through call. So it was well. The actual hands-on guys, the movers, did really good too. They knew what they were doing, and seemed experience and strong enough to carry what we had. They were on time and did everything really fast and efficient.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I wanted to get out of the northeast cold and come into the tropics. I needed a moving service, so I searched online. I got a link to the website of American Van Lines through ConsumerAffairs and I liked that American Van Lines didn’t use contractors. They were their own company and they had people they worked with all over the country. Plus, once I started looking around and getting other quotes, American Van Lines' customer service was amazing compared to other companies. So, I went them. The moving coordinator that I worked with was very responsive and sent stuff over to me right away via email for me to look over. He was great as opposed to the one who interviewed me who just kept saying, “Fill out this sheet and I’ll call you back.” He spent a lot of time with me and told me to go through every room and tell him what I saw. He was really cool.

Their pricing was also very transparent. I forgot some things when I was being interviewed, so I emailed them back and they said that they would add those on and at the end of the day would sort of zero out everything, which they did. I also liked that they went by weight, not by square footage. But I didn’t like that they were adding a $300 charge on top of the weight for the kayaks that I initially forgot and added on because they were oversized. My husband has a pickup truck and we were driving out from Delaware to Florida on it. So, he just put those on the back of his truck. Other than that, the crews on both ends were amazing. They were very professional, thoughtful, kind, and hard workers.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Scam and unethical people to deal with. Avoid hiring them for your move. I am sure you will NOT bother to contact them after you read our ordeal. I am disappointed that this portal doesn’t allow me to rate them on negative stars. We went around shopping for quote planning our move from Pittsburgh PA to California CA. We live in a 3-bedroom townhome and after a proper video screening our entire home, with this esteemed – American Van Lines company gave us a quote of 8,800$ and plus at the max it would go up to 20% higher from the initial estimate. On believing this lie, I proceed with hiring them. We paid half of our moving fee at least by a month in advance and just 4 days before the moving window, we receive the note saying that they do not have a truck to support this move. They said that they will refund and requested us to proceed with other vendors.

Imagine, JUST 4 DAYS BEFORE THE PLANNED MOVE. My wife had to talk and email them multiple time to make them work. They persuaded us to work with their partner - Boost Express Vane Lines at the last minute. Day 1 of the move, they started after 3 PM, packed half of our stuff and said will continue tomorrow, and they needed an 18-wheeler to move our things. And they NEVER mentioned a word about increasing our quote on day 1. Day 2, the continued packing and loading our things into the truck. And then I see a BOMB, they increased our quote from 8,800$ to 14,700$. I am at the point where I am sedated and the doctor opened my chest for a heart surgery, and in the operation theatre I am asked to sign an agreement that I would die and the treatment is just a hoax. They told me the estimate would not go beyond 14,700$ (lie number 2) and it would, in fact, come lesser based on the weight.

I had no option but to sign as my things are being packed and kept in their truck. So finally, I did the sign and was hoping that the things would reach safely at the destination. And I paid another check for 4,400$. On the whole, I have paid them 8,800$ approximately as an advance; which was their original estimate. American Van Line agent called us next day and claimed we need to pay them 12,000$ before deliver. What a SHOCKER. The agent didn't do his groundwork. We had to walk through about the payment history and only then he realized we have already paid them 8,800$. Such an unprofessional attention to details. Firstly, it wasn’t our fault that they estimated my house poorly. If they had given me a proper estimate I would have even gone to another provider who was just a 1000$ more than American Van Lines initial estimate.

Secondly, 4 days before the move day. They backed out of this move commitment and we had to persuade them to stop quitting and do something. And then they introduced the 3rd party. Boost Van Lines, unnecessarily increased our estimate to sky high. And made us sign increased quote at the last minute. If I had known my quote would go high I would have happily trashed my old things. Instead, the old materials were all packed and kept in the truck and then we were forced to sign the new agreement. This is a clear-cut SCAM. The story doesn’t end here. In the middle of the transit, our final estimate grew even bigger, up to 16,700$ approximately. Their customer service manager contacted us after we complained about this on Yelp, Google Reviews, and Consumer Review. She offered us a deal. Sign an agreement, to withdraw your complaint, modify your online feedback; then we will reduce our price by 1,500$ approximately.

We argued our case and asked her to reduce it even further. Because our initial estimate was only 8,800$ and what they are asking now is two folds higher. She wouldn’t agree and we had to accept what was offered. Our things arrived San Diego, finally. We received it and settled the balance (except for 1,500$ as per our conversation). But the truck driver wouldn’t agree and took our credit card info and made sure we pay the balance. My wife contacted customer service, twice. And then she replied, asking us to contact Operations Manager to work further. My wife had to sit through another call and had to explain Dave the entire ordeal. And finally, we lost our temper, Dave treated us as liars and that they did not pack and load it before I signed the second agreement. Already moving was a big stress, and American Van Lines people were simply putting us for a toss and they didn't really care about customer service.

Their only attention was bright and focused on pulling money out of customers. My wife and I are Engineers with Master degrees, working in a very reputed company and to be treated as liars is all that we could take. I shut the call with Dave and told him not to bother my wife anymore. You can cheat us, keep our money and the rest is in God's hand. I sincerely do not want another human being to experience such a bad situation. DO NOT HIRE AMERICAN VAN LINES for your move. They are a rip-off and don’t care about the human relationship. They will con you into a business by quoting least estimate, but later increase them by 2-fold.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I liked the idea that American Van Lines would do the pickup with a small truck. The location was another reason I chose them. The moving coordinator that I worked with was knowledgeable and efficient, and everything worked out good. I had a special request to have my wife sign off at the pickup end so I did a power of attorney for that and then I was at the other end for the delivery. I had a one-man crew and he was very good. It was quite efficient in terms of time. I've had crews of four and they usually still fool around in the afternoon. But he got done in a couple of hours. It wasn't a huge load but he went back and forth, did the whole thing himself and got through very quickly.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Our experience with American Van Lines was good except for the fact that they kept changing people that I had to talk to all the time. So, I never really got to develop a rapport with anybody and if I had a question or a problem, I didn’t know who to call. When I did have an issue, I’d always have to go through one person, and then they would say I’d have to get a hold of somebody else, and then they would have to call me back. So, it’s a long process. Other than that, the crew was excellent. They were on time during pick up and delivery, and they called me before they were gonna deliver. They also loaded and unloaded everything really well.

Original review: June 24, 2018

I was moving from Idaho to Illinois for work and I had good and bad experience with American Van Lines's moving coordinator. I felt they were really, really thorough, but they made some mistakes. The guy told us that once we've paid for the piano boards, it would be ours. And then, when we first went to take it before the piano company was there to put it back together, it turned out it wasn’t ours.

So, there was this big hassle of trying to get everything coordinated between the piano company putting the piano back together and the moving company trying to take their piano boards back. The guy admitted that he made a mistake, so I felt that was really awesome of him. He didn’t deny it. On the other hand, the moving crew was good. However, they weighed us wrong. They said that our weight came in almost 2,000 lbs. heavier and they were gonna charge us an extra $2,500. We did get it reweighed and it came in 2,000 lbs. lighter. Once they figured out the issue with the reweigh, everything was taken care of quickly.

Original review: June 23, 2018

The lease on my apartment ran out and I decided not to renew it. I thought I could go month-to-month but the owner sold it in two days. So I had to find a place to go and I had to go immediately. I was moving about 190 miles and it seemed easier to use the moving service than it was for me to try and have to do it myself. Everything was great when I dealt with the moving coordinator at American Van Lines and although the crew was about an hour late on one end, it was explainable. And other than that, they were fine.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We moved across country, from Maryland to Arizona, and we had our stuff catch up with us a couple of years later. We were moving from a storage unit and I had everything packed in there tight. When I called around, some said they would have to come out for an estimate. But I wasn't at the source side, which was back in Maryland. Secondly, I was not sure how much they could've looked at 'cause it was also packed in the storage unit. Nobody would give me an estimate but American Van Lines did. That aside, everything seemed to go smoothly with them. The moving coordinator did a good job keeping me informed. When I had things to contact him about, he resolved them real quickly.

We had one pickup site but then on the destination side, we had two places for our stuff to go, which was pre-arranged. But we had to go through our things piece by piece as they brought them off the truck at the first destination. We then decided if the item went there or on to the second destination. We were very cooperative with that. The whole move took two and a half weeks, which worked for us, and I was pleased with the experience. I would highly recommend them. They were easy to deal with and reasonably priced.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Everybody from American Van Lines that we dealt with was pleasant. They were efficient, showed up on time, and their rate was certainly comparable to the couple other companies we looked at. Their packing and loading were flawless. In other words, there was not a single scratch or damage to any of the stuff that I sent out to my son. But about two months after they completed the move, we were startled to know that the load had weighed differently than what they had anticipated. So we got a refund of about $600. A lot of companies would just keep it. I'm 75 years old and I've moved about 17 times in my life and this is the best experience I've ever had.

Original review: June 19, 2018

American Van Lines did a good, quick job and I had a good experience with them. My dealings with them were mostly done over the phone, so that was convenient. The moving coordinator was wonderful. During the move, the crew was exceptional. They got the job done really quick and they put everything where they were supposed to be.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I was getting away from hurricanes and American Van Lines' moving coordinator was excellent. He had all the information I needed. He instilled a great deal of confidence and he knew what he was talking about. He was also the one who provided the boxes and the one I asked questions about packing, what they could pack, what I should pack. The moving crew was very good, very efficient and very polite. The only slight drawback was that on the receiving end, there were only two workers. And that meant they had to work really hard and were getting worn out by the end. There’s a point where you need three people. Nonetheless, my experience with American Van Lines was very good.

American Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American Van Lines is a local, commercial and long distance mover that is also a family-owned business. They are headquartered in Pompano Beach, FL, and can help with moving nationwide.

• Local moving: The company does a lot of local, residential and commercial moves. These moves are within short distances and the cost is affordable.

• Corporate: They have a team of moving specialists that help with corporate moves and are capable of moving entire companies.

• Military moving: American Van Lines understands the needs of military moves, which require comprehensive planning and strict deadlines.

• Visa and immigration services: American Van Lines can help customers obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and other paperwork.

• Storage: The company also offers storage facilities to help companies and families safely store their belongings while they are in the process of changing locations.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

FL
Fax:
www.americanvanlines.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business