2. Movers
Accredited Partner

Pompano Beach, FL

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.22/5

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

American Van Lines provides long-distance moves for individuals and businesses. AVL requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it’s worth it for the large fleet of shock-proof vehicles that protect the integrity of your belongings.

PROS

• Flat rate pricing
  • Easy booking process
  • Offers storage options

CONS

• Some weight limits apply
  • No online quotes

Top American Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

The packers were excellent! They put blankets on your furniture then shrink wrap it. That is all furniture! They took real good care of my stuff that I could see because it was placed in storage. They stayed in contact from start to finish they did not complain about anything and were very polite!

They delivered on time and nothing was damaged. Their customer service was easily reachable and they helped me with my questions. Good experience in my opinion and I would therefore recommend American Van Lines.

American Van Lines Get a Quote

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, American Van Lines can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post can be a tall order. It needs comprehensive planning, has strict deadlines and requires some budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: Relocating business offices, stores, factories, banks, schools, libraries and other commercial establishments is an enormous challenge. AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: American Van lines is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
  • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: July 24, 2020

I loved American Van Lines. I knew they were a big company and I figured they would be good. However, they give you another company called Baker International that you could buy insurance from and I could never get in to buy extra insurance. They ask you for the job number, and I put it in, but maybe they figured I wasn't worth it. I only wanted $10,000 worth of insurance and maybe that's why I had a hard time buying the insurance. Anyway, that company is not user-friendly and that was a big thing. I was disappointed 'cause I would have bought insurance, even though my stuff was less than $10,000.

Other than the insurance, the whole experience was great and the American Van Lines employees are awesome. The first person I talked to when I called was Helen at American Van Lines, and her extension was **. Anytime I had anything to do with anything, I would call her. She was great and she was my favorite lady. I didn't wanna bring home that much and Helen told me to let them know two days before if I had anything extra. On the day of the pickup, the drivers called and said they were about three hours away. I didn't have a big load. I only had six boxes, and I wanted to add two more.

When I couldn't get ahold of Helen, I asked the drivers if I could add two more boxes. They told me not to worry about it and that whatever I had, they would take. They were so sweet. I had made changes as well. I gave away a massage table, so they weren't moving that. When they came to deliver my furniture (I have a big couch as well as a big Sleep Number bed), there was only one guy. Now, I don't know what happened, but he was the only one to unload it all and he never made one negative remark that he was by himself. My brother and I helped him do some things and I felt bad that he was by himself.

My sister and a lot of people have moved before, and the difference between my stuff and everybody else's stuff is that all of my stuff were really new. I had just bought all of my furniture ‘cause I wasn't expecting to move. My stuff was two months old, so they couldn't break anything ‘cause nothing was old. They were so gentle with everything. They wrapped everything and I didn't have a scuff mark on anything. That's the big difference. Some people move old crap, and their stuff breaks. That's no fault of the people though.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2020

I had to move from New York to Florida and I like the agent from American Van Lines. He was very honest and came across as sincere. I had gotten some successful bids from top companies. They were between 7,400 to 10,000 and he priced it. We had a nice talk online about the various pricing factors and he knew his business. I liked it a lot.

I had my family come in and they pre-packed about 45 cartons of personal stuff, including clothing and stuff that we were going through. The rest of it was done by the crew, which was another 20 cartons including mainly plates. Also, they took care of all the mirrors and paintings as well as all the wrapping for all the furniture that came down. I knew where everything was and I had the head of my maintenance crew up in New York walk through the apartment beforehand so that we have things where they belong.

When the crew came in, we had my guy there and he had the power of attorney. He did a walkthrough with the driver and went through room by room to make sure that it was as I remembered it and whatever was staying, was staying. We organized it that way and was very comfortable. We went through about a 15-minute walkthrough before the move started. The AVL crew was pretty much up to speed on that and was 99% accurate.

Because of the pandemic, we had a very tight receiving schedule and we didn't know when we would be able to have the house ready to receive. The crew had a two-day window and they came two hours early, which was fine. We spent the better part of the day checking everything in. They were wonderful with regard to putting things where it belong. But the boxes were not itemized. I didn't know what was inside the boxes that the moving company packed. And then there was some internal damage on the back, but not sufficient enough to put a claim in at the time. They were gonna call me back for claims and nobody ever called me back but I feel reluctant to put any claims because the guys were very good.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Everything with American Van Lines went wonderfully. They brought everything. There was a table that they brought from Captiva, but when I got them, the edges got busted up. But I really don’t care now because it turned out that it wasn’t a marble table. It was actually plaster of Paris. What happened was, when we brought it out here, we did set the table up, and because of the dry climate here, the entire surface started peeling like crazy and it's all flaked. So, that was the only mishap, but that wasn’t their guys’ fault. They did a wonderful job. They showed up in Florida when I needed them, and they brought everything out here, and everything else made it. So, I'm very satisfied, and I would definitely use their service again.

My kid sister set the whole thing up. We needed movers to get stuff out of Florida and bring it here in Santa Fe. She found American Van Lines' information online, probably looked at the customer responses with all the stars, and determined that they were the best. It was quite surprising that one gentleman showed up in a rental van and he drove it out here himself. I was really impressed with that. Then, he had to race off to Las Vegas for the next one. He was a really wonderful guy.

He did the whole thing on the other end all by himself. He repacked boxes with fragile items because he determined that my packing wasn’t sound. Then, when he came here, he showed up with a gentleman, and the two of them did the rest of it. But he had to move an armoire and he did that by himself. It has the weight for four human beings. So, I was really impressed with that, and the whole thing went really well and really smooth. He did me a favor. I didn’t have to break down my bicycle and box it. He just stuck it in the back of the van and brought it right here and there was not a scratch on it. He's the guy you want. He has positive mental attitude. He is upbeat and loves what he's doing. He's dedicated to the company, and it showed.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I retired and wanted to move down to Georgia. I called the company that I used before, and they worked with American Van Lines. I felt good about the guy I was talking to on the phone. However, I was a little disappointed in the pricing. It started out with the price as $17,000. I told them that was not gonna work because almost everything was packed up and all it needed to do was be picked up and put into a trailer. I said just 25% of what we had needed to be packed, and the rest was already packed. Right then and there, he dropped the price to $10,000 without looking at any more stuff. He didn’t come down and look at anything else. It was all done over the phone, and I was a little miffed that they were able to drop it from 17,000 to 10,000 so quickly.

It would have been much nicer if they just gave me the best price and said it was the best they could do. I looked at three companies and the other two were 12, so I went to the 10,000 one. My relocation was 770 miles and we had a special request. We had to have somebody come in and take apart my pool table and put it back together. The coordinator was good and kept up on top of things. The crew worked good and hard as well. They were nice guys but they just slammed the stuff together and threw it in the truck, so we ended up with a few broken things. My walls and floors were scratched and it was a brand-new house too. It ticked me off a little, but they kept working. They got it loaded in one day like they said they would.

When it started getting late and the guys started getting tired, they just put the box in the garage no matter where it was designed to go in the house. They stopped moving it to the correct floors and that meant I had to move all that stuff from the garage to the basement, to the upper level and to the main floor. That ticked me off a little too. Still, the experience was straightforward.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

There was a number of different moving companies listed on the internet and from where I lived and where they were based, American Van Lines seemed to be the most logical choice, so I picked them. The only thing is that I did everything by telephone. They were down in Pompano Beach and I was in Melbourne. That’s probably 130 to 140 miles apart. And all my previous moves I've done myself. When they were asking me like what’s in this room, I really had a hard time describing my furniture and how much I had, so I underestimated how much I really owned. I don’t know if other moving companies do it, but it’d be nice if they were able to have one of their people come to our house and do a survey prior to. Other than that, they did what I asked them to do at a reasonable price. The men that packed and moved the stuff were very good workers.

The lady that was in charge called me frequently to make sure everything was going okay. Like we had dates set for when they would show up to get the stuff. And naturally, they’re doing other jobs too and so if something would delay them, she would update me. Initially, it was between two or three days then they narrowed it down and let me know the precise time when they’re in the area. Then when the men were working, she contacted me to see how things were going. It was fine. They left about 6 o’clock in the evening. It was an 800-mile ride and she called and let me know where they were at a given time so I could tell my wife what was going on.

They didn’t get in till late at night and they were kinda tired and wanting to rest, but my wife had her sister with her and she wasn’t going to have anybody the next day. So, the men went ahead and unloaded that truck that night and had it unloaded by 11:00 at night. They put stuff in the rooms where it belonged and put the bed together. The boxes that they packed, they had them marked so we can know what was in them. There were only two men and they didn’t slow down.

Resolution response: Oct. 5, 2020

We were able to come to a resolution to at least compensate me for the damaged TV. Thank you Jeremy for making it an easy online form submission instead of needing to see a notary and mail it in.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Long story short: NEVER USE THIS MOVING COMPANY. I have moved at least 9 times in my life from province to province in Canada, to the US and now from state to state. Never in my life has my property been handled with so little care. I didn't pay over $3000 just to have some guys jostle my stuff around without care. I moved in April and they broke my $700 TV, $200 table, several dishes and glasses (for which the amount I didn't bother claiming as I couldn't figure out the price and threw away the shards immediately for safety instead of photographing). They also somehow misplaced half of my $130 desk and gave my $500 vacuum to another customer. We were able to find the vacuum at least, but consider the rest of the damages equaling to at least $1300. Also, I wouldn't complain about the dishes if the FRAGILE box wasn't stacked at the bottom of 2 other heavy boxes.

In order to contact them regarding these issues you have to play phone tag or be on hold for forever. I understand it's a pandemic, but this just adds to the overall frustration of my experience. Now they SAY they will TRY to be courteous and provide compensation within 90 days, but their maximum is 120 days. I submitted my claim May 4 and got a response in the mail dated September 3 only.

That actually comes out to slightly over 120 days. And the form says it must be received within 30 days of the date of the letter. But because the mail service has been so wonky I really only received it last week. And I was traveling for work, so didn't get to review it until today (Sept 29). I only get $250 back for my $1300 damages? And a short deadline to accept when I gave you 4 whole months to respond? Plus I need to get it notarized for some reason and probably express ship this mail at this point to reach my deadline, so after those fees I get probably $220 back in the end. What a scam. $250 isn't even enough to buy a new TV which is what I was most upset about. I have never been so unsatisfied with a service. Do yourself a favor and find literally anyone else to help you move.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

Wow! First of all, I would LOVE to point out how amazing Elena is. She was extremely helpful and dedicated throughout my entire move. She answered all and any questions and was always a call or email away. I am HUGE on customer service so I am beyond thankful to have had Elena as a representative for this company.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

American Van Lines had a guaranteed price and they had the best price. They were friendly both in Georgia and Texas. We had a few issues with the unload here, but overall it went well. Their coordinators were not responding always. There was a lack of communication once we got everything set up. Then when the move was gonna be a couple of days later, we didn't even find out until the day of the move. The originally scheduled date was there and we were waiting for the truck and nobody showed up. I ended up having to call the coordinator to find out what was going on. Found out that truck broke down and nobody let us know. That whole part of the move was a bit stressful.

There were a few things that got damaged. We didn't know whether it was them unloading the truck or when they were loading from our house. They were putting everything on their hand truck and then bouncing them down the stairs. So, for me, I would have put the hand trucks at the bottom of the stairs, carried everything down and then rolled that out. My wife's big mirror that was a jewelry stand and a few other things got completely ruined. But it wasn't enough to make a claim.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

This is the second time in 12 months I’ve used American Van lines to move me and my family. This time we moved from Brickell (Miami) to Boca Raton and had the most amazing crew.... Brian ** is my go to at American Van Lines and my crew was Johana “Joe”, Red and Geo were total class acts... They were polite, energetic and very agreeable. They took good care of all of our stuff and had great attitudes despite having to climb two flights of stairs with our furniture. I will be moving again in a year and wrote their names down because I want them to move me again. Thanks a lot guys.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I recently had a cross country move completed by American Van Lines in the midst of COVID-19. I am ashamed to say that I didn’t have the most flexible mindset throughout the process and reacted to the delays like it was carelessness on their part, which was 100% the wrong assumption. Prior to booking with American Van Lines, I had been scammed by two moving broker companies consecutively (don’t ever go through a broker!!!) and was out of my mind, desperate to get out of Phoenix, AZ. My car had already been transported back to Louisville, KY, everything was closed, and Arizona was a COVID hotspot, it was complete hell. Throughout the entire process however, from beginning to end, Toni ** (my moving agent) was my saving grace through this entire experience.

Toni was the one to take my initial call, and she could tell from the tone in my voice that I was in a desperate situation to get a quality move completed very soon. Toni exuded passion, intelligence and knowledge about every aspect of a long-distance move and was able to empathize with where I was mentally, in the horrible limbo of relocating. Toni spent over an hour with me taking detailed inventory of all of my belongings and furniture and made it her ultimate mission to have a successful pick up and delivery. The pick-up went beautifully, everything was packed, wrapped and protected so professionally. Despite a couple of delays with the delivery date, all of my furniture and belongings were delivered in pristine condition.

Toni has been active in communication with me through this entire experience and is one of the reasons I would rebook with American Van Lines again. I hope that her company’s CEO and VP know what an outstanding moving agent they have on their team because she saved my sanity throughout this entire process. If you are looking for a moving company, American Van Lines should be your number 1 choice. Make sure to ask for Toni to be your agent!

American Van Lines FAQ

Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?

American Van Lines accommodates moving services during weekends with no extra fees, provided they are done during regular working hours. However, loading, transport and unloading services rendered after normal working hours are subject to overtime fees.

Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?

American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that fall under the prohibited items, such as hazardous materials, deadly weapons and illegal drugs. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Do we recommend American Van Lines?

American Van Lines specializes in a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. AVL’s state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. American Van Lines’ reviews indicate that more than 80% of verified customers had a good experience with the company in the last year. About 17% of verified American Van Lines moving reviews reported some dissatisfaction. As with many big moving companies, common American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. Pricing is a consideration, but if you shop around for the best state-to-state moving services, you’ll find that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice.

American Van Lines Company Information