toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I recently moved my elderly mother from Florida to Texas. This was my first time using an interstate moving company, and I chose American Van Lines because of the positive reviews online. I was not disappointed. Victoria, my assigned customer service representative, was very pleasant and responsive to my questions. She kept me informed and encouraged me to call her if I had questions about anything. When I did so, she immediately responded. The driver and crew were very courteous and did a great job of carefully packing up Mother's furniture and possessions. The delivery was timely and the unpacking was done as carefully as the packing. Nothing was missing or broken and I couldn't be happier with this experience. I would definitely recommend American Van Lines to anyone who is looking for an interstate moving company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We recently moved from Missouri to Georgia with the help of American Van Lines. Everything went flawlessly from start to finish. Communication with our contact person provided all the necessary information from pick up to delivery. I can't say enough about our driver. Manny was so pleasant and helpful. He was determined to make our move as pleasant as possible. Manny was the difference!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Needed to have merchandise including grandfather clock shipped from OH to Florida. AVL did not disappoint. Our AVL coordinator, Victoria, stayed in close contact during the pre-shipment period and throughout a 9-day transit to FL. Shipment arrived a few hours beyond the projected delivery window, but all arrived in top-notch condition. FYI: AVL will not ship grandfather clocks unless they've been prepared for transport by a (clock) professional. Wise policy, for both shipper and owner. All in all, AVL is a very conscientious, professional company with courteous staff at all levels from advisors to crew. I would use again w/o hesitation.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Worked with Brian ** who did an outstanding job of coordinating my parents’ move to NJ. He gave us a fair estimate, based upon my reviews of other moving companies. The crew sent to pack and move my parents were very efficient and helpful. As was the crew that delivered the cartons to their new apartment. My overall assessment was one of excellence.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We first worked with Bob ** to set us up with our move from Ohio to Washington. He was great, delightful, and professional. Natalie was our coordinator and she did a great job keeping us informed. Our movers were Lawrence and Lee and they were a good team and made our adventure less worrisome. Everything worked out great. Everyone worked hard to make this a smooth move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Jerome ** and his crew were, without a doubt, the absolute best I have EVER worked with. They were superb in the loading. The unloading was unbelievable. The quality, caring, professionalism and respect were GREAT. By the end of the day, I felt like I was friends with all of them. I have recently had severe neck surgery and the gentlemen would bring the box to me (sitting on the sofa) on where it should go. Upstairs, shop or main floor? I never had to get up and go to them. This may sound insignificant to you, but when suffering terrible pain, it was the best thing in the world for me. My husband was not here yet from Colorado, so it was just me home. I cannot say enough good about this team, especially Jerome! If there was a 10 star rating, I would give them a 20 star review. Your home office staff are equally wonderful. With the personal phone calls and e-mails added quality to your wonderful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife and I could not be more pleased with how our move was handled by the driver Mr. Ricky ** or the team he used for both the pickup/truck loading and then the delivery and unloading. All concerned were very careful when packing articles that we had not already boxed. If we ever move again we will use American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Excellent information. Move from one state to another on time with each stages. Everything was done in a professional manner. Victoria was a great organizer and kept informing me about all of arrivals times for pickup and delivery. Very pleased with this move. Very thankful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went online and talked to American Van Lines for a move. Immediately, they sent me the stuff over that I needed for moving. I was moving myself and I told them what I wanted. My moving coordinator was outstanding. I talked to her, she arranged everything and there was another person that was dropped down to make sure everything was fine.

I moved from Clayton, North Carolina down here to Ocean Isle which is about 160 miles. American Van Lines loaded my truck and these guys were in and out in under three and a half hours. American Van Lines is really good. They made sure everything was packed right and everything was covered. I've been moving since I've been in retail for 40 years and I get transferred every one to two years. For the first time, I didn't have any damage. I'd recommend them to anybody. As a matter of fact, my daughter is moving the first of the month and she's having the same company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The movers were very professional and very careful with our furniture. They were personable, and very hardworking. The entire experience starting with Jason ** and ending with Marcus was relatively stress-free considering it was moving. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We really appreciated the work that was done. The crew was one of the best I ever had the opportunity to have had performing a move for our family. No complaints at all, from the sell to the final delivery, kudos to the team!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were more than pleased with the two men who helped with our move. They arrived on time, worked quickly and carefully and were extremely willing to help in any way. We have made quite a few moves and this was the easiest and most professional by far. I would definitely use this company again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was very satisfied with all the people loading and unloading my stuff from my old house and in my new home. They worked with accurate and proper ability and they were very courteous and mostly very patient. I have no complaint whatsoever. They did an excellent job.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Movers showed up when promised and delivered in a timely manner. All furniture was wrapped in moving blankets and so far my belongings appear to have made a safe trip. Customer service follow-up call later on day of delivery. Having always moved myself, this move seems quite pricey, but it was worth the extra money and to have no back pain.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Customer service is superior. At every step of the process, Veronica called to make sure everything was satisfactory and explain next steps. Full disclosure of costs -- no hidden "surprises" at end. The team who did the actual hauling were wonderful -- very careful with handling things, kept in touch throughout the move so I knew when to expect them. Everything arrived as promised, no damage. All personnel were professional and helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

All aspects of this move, from my first telephone call until the last box placed in our new home was absolutely outstanding. Everyone we dealt along the long way in this move was courteous, knowledgeable, competent, and friendly. I highly recommend American Van Lines if you're planning a move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We are happy to recommend American Van Lines. The move was a very smooth process. Marcus ** was available and helpful through the entire time. The movers were efficient and polite. There was no damage of any kind. Thank you, we would definitely recommend the service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am extremely pleased with my experience of doing business with American Van Lines. From start to finish, everything went well, according to plan, and met even expectation and more! The people I had contact with regarding my move were extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and performed their duties with professional excellence. Should I ever need to move again, I would not hesitate to call American Van Lines.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It's been like pulling teeth to get this company to deliver our furniture. They picked up the furniture on 8/18/2017 and as of 9/2/2017, we still have no idea where the furniture is. The moving coordinator, Marcus ** is incompetent, the Customer Service Manager, Yesenia **, does not understand the meaning of "service" so her title is a farce. Araminta, the dispatching coordinator is, quite simply, a liar. She told me on 9/1/2017 that my furniture would be delivered on 9/2/2017 between 12:00-4:00 PM. I spent four hours waiting for the moving men and no one showed up and no one called. AMERICAN VAN LINES IS THE WORST MOVING COMPANY EVER AND THEY ARE EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL! I only pray they have not destroyed or lost my furniture.

Yesterday, we had movers from American Van lines pack and move all of our belongings onto their truck. We had four movers here for the entire day. They did a fantastic job throughout the entire day! Very professional, very hard working all day. They wrapped all of our furniture and some of our unpacked belongings, and we're careful about not banging into or scratching doors and walls. I have heard several people and read many reviews about negative experiences with other moving companies. This one, happily, is the opposite; a very positive and grateful experience, so far, with American Van Lines. I am hoping that, once our furniture arrives at our new house, we have a similar positive experience with the moving crew there. Thankful and grateful!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Very professional, timely, and efficient. Really appreciated the attention to detail. They showed up when they said they would and moved at a fast but not rushed pace. Would 100% recommend to a friend or a colleague who was planning on moving in South Florida.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

American Van Lines movers FAR exceeded our expectations. We needed to move all my mother's belongings from Oregon to her home in Nevada. We had called local movers initially, and when we got no response, tried an internet moving company. A new experience into the unknown for us, but the best move we have ever made.

With little lead time, we were able to get the moving date we needed. We could not have asked for a better crew. They need to be singled out -- Troy, Tina, Merv and Jackson - for outstanding work. We spent two days with them as they packed and then loaded Mother's household. They were quick, and very careful. Two days later, they arrived in Nevada to meet my 95 year old mother, and again, efficiently and seamlessly unloaded and her belongings. She is still raving about them. Thank you, guys, for a job well done. American Van Lines is very fortunate to have you on their team. Pretty impressive.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The service provided by American Van Lines proved well beyond the norm. The moving crew were extremely careful with our items. They were a well trained group of individuals who worked as a team. The sales rep was experienced and gave us ease of mind that all would be taken care of properly and professionally. We have recommended the company to our friends and coworkers.

Resolution response: Aug. 21, 2017

My experience was addressed specifically by American Van Lines personnel. I feel at ease due to both sides learning of miscommunications and inevitable realities of moving. I believe American Van Lines strives to avoid some of these incidents in all their moves. I am generally satisfied with the overall move.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

A cross country move is already stressful, and AVL only made it worse. I moved from Tampa Bay to Chicago and had a pretty awful experience for the following reasons. I could never get in contact with my agent when I called with questions. It would be days before we got in touch, and I usually had to call them back to check on whether they even got a message. That should have been the first red flag. It felt like since I already paid my deposit, I was no longer worth following up with. They failed to let me know that at both my pickup and drop-off location, they would have to use smaller U-haul trucks to transfer my items into a larger truck AT MY EXPENSE on top of the moving estimate. This ended up being around $400 extra dollars.

They did not clarify with me that my scheduled move was during a "window" of dates, making it impossible to plan. AVL informed me LESS THAN 24 HOURS beforehand that it would arrive between 2 pm and 4 pm the following day to pick up my belongings. Then, on that following day at 11 am they called to say they would arrive at noon. I was not finished packing when they arrived, and so I had to ship three boxes of items myself which amounted to about $100 in postage fees. AVL is completely ill-prepared to pack large items. They will charge you an exorbitant amount of money to crate items like marble, mirrors, etc., but none of it would be necessary if they only knew how to properly pad and pack those types of items. I had to do a lot of extra work to find boxes for my mirror, art, and TV, which ended up being about $400 extra dollars of supply costs.

The movers were in a terrible mood when they did arrive (again, earlier than I was informed the previous day). They complained to me that they were being rushed by their schedulers, as if any of that is relevant to me, the customer. The insurance included is essentially useless. At 60 cents per pound per article, you will likely never recover the true value of anything damaged. The only option they offer is a policy that costs about $300 and then has a $500 deductible, so it’s only worthwhile for antiques or very expensive items for which you can prove still hold a value over $800 should they be damaged. They ended up taking apart my bike, and when they reassembled it, they damaged a piece of the fork which basically totaled the bike. Based on the insurance policy explained above, I'd have received about $30. I now have to purchase a new bike.

The company is based out of South Florida, which also should have been a red flag. I grew up in FL so I can tell you from experience that south FL businesses can be very dishonest, corrupt, and shady. From a cultural perspective, everything from dinner to a cab is expensive and comes with horrible service, so why would a moving company be any different?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Moving is never easy. This move involved moving my Mother from Venice, FL into assisted living in MN. As in any moving experience, there were a few glitches, but they were taken care of immediately and fully to my satisfaction. Everything was done over the phone and the internet, but I never felt my move was ignored or lost in cyberspace. Good on American Van Lines!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved from Wisconsin to Maine. All my things had to go into storage in NC for three weeks which meant double the handling and added truck mileage. My actual delivery was two weeks past the delivery window time. American Van Lines gave me a discount for the inconvenience. I had a very extensive fine art collection that included large paintings and framed works under glass, plus a piano. I packed most things myself except the art & furniture. The packers did a great job wrapping everything. I was thrilled that after 2.5 months in their care I lost nothing except a couple table legs snapped and were lost.

I am a single person who had over 8100 lbs to move! This move was big and I expected some damage but all was well. My new home is 177 years old and the stairs up to the bedrooms are steep with turns. The guys busted to get stuff upstairs. I am now settling and am hoping they find the legs to my table. I must give American Van Lines a good passing grade. I am a little disappointed about the legs but I'm happy overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Overall good experience. The only problem we had was that when we booked the move, we ordered two garment boxes, which did not come with the moving truck. Everyone was very nice and helpful, from booking to delivery of the our belongings. When booking the move, you are dealing with someone that is not local, so we did not get notified about a time for the move, from a local representative until I called the Friday before our Monday move. We did get an email and call soon after that. The two gentlemen that come to move us, Mike and "K", were wonderful to work with. They were careful with our belongings, and worked efficiently. Highly recommend these folks.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Movers came on time. Also called when they were close. Movers were polite. Showed up at forwarding address in a good time frame. Good experience. The customer service representative helped me work through a concern with the paperwork. She was very professional.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

American Van Lines did what they promised from the initial contact call through the different folks who handled our account/move. The company delivered on the promised pickup and delivery! We were quite pleased with the effort of Paul and Detrick and the follow-up from provided by Nathalie.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Moving from Plano, TX to Marshall, TX - Customer Service was outstanding and they bent over backwards to accommodate the scheduling changes we had to make concerning our move. Communication was top notch. The loading/unloading crew was outstanding. We couldn't ask for any better treatment all the way around from anybody else. We did a lot of research on moving companies and made a lot of inquiries about service before we decided American Van Lines was the best of them all. We highly recommend American Van Lines to anyone.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I hired American Van Lines for a local move. They called 2 days before our move to ask if we could change the date to July 4th, which we did and received a discount for. We were assured that they would be sending 4 of their own employees. This was not the case. A third party contractor arrived at our house in a refrigerated truck, with 2 other people that were not experienced in moving furniture. Two dressers were extremely damaged in the move along with several walls scuffed in our new home. We were told to submit a claim, which would take up to 120 days to review and determine if they would repair/replace our furniture. Never again!

Insufficient response received

A few years ago I moved across the country. I got quotes from several companies and American Van Lines was the highest, but I hired them because of their high review scores. I was told I would have a single point of contact, which turned out not to be true, as over the course of my move I was passed along to at least 3 people. The driver in charge of the pickup communicated very poorly and not only made me think that my stuff wouldn't fit on the truck, he also didn't know I had purchased extra insurance which left me waiting quite a while after everything was boxed and loaded for him to make phone calls to the office.

While my belongings were in transit my point of contact didn't always return my calls and when she did I got misinformation regarding the arrival of my belongings. The delivery driver smelled like cigarettes and I had multiple damaged or missing items. The insurance I purchased paid a small fraction of the value of said items. In hindsight I should have used my second choice for considerably less money.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were very pleased with the American Van Lines Team. They were helpful, efficient, and professional. The move went fine and we would recommend American Van Lines to everyone. All items that we moved were accounted for. Every time I thought something was missing we found another box that the movers had put away because we had no more room in the condo.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had high hopes for my moving experience, having chosen the company based on their typically stellar reviews but was left feeling swindled. The process began dealing with Harold, a salesman, that made lots of promises the rest of the company then struggled to follow through on. He described a fluid window within which we would be able to customize pickup and delivery to meet our needs. Since we had a week during which we needed to have everything packed, loaded, moved and unloaded before heading out on vacation, this was essential and the reason I chose American Van Lines.

Harold described job assignments as occurring the Friday before they would be performed and cited my ability to coordinate with the scheduler to comply with my wife and I, residents with a toddler's stringent demands. I'm not so naive as to expect that we would have actually had the freedom Harold described BUT I didn't expect to be completely powerless, being told that delivery could occur at any point during the 2-week delivery window that Harold had told me to ignore. Considering that's how my interactions with Nathalie, our case coordinator, began as I expressed frustration from a changed pickup date, my experience continued to be poor. Nathalie is worst coordinator I have ever dealt with. Of the ten calls I placed to her direct extension, two were picked up having occurred immediately after she had called me. I had equal success calling the general line and getting her at random.

Our driver, though courteous and respectful, openly admitted his frustration with AVL's poor ability to coordinate his moves. Help arrived in the form of two subcontracted helpers which, not being a part of AVL directly, sought to hustle the driver. Despite a previously arranged amount, they held him hostage, naming their price to help him upon at rendezvous the morning of my job. They worked slowly, took many breaks, and whined about how unprofessional it was to schedule a job in one day, how they families and kids that they wanted to see and couldn't we just arrange to go home at 5 like a normal laborer and finish in the morning.

They were trying to work me against the driver to extort two days of labor out of him as the hours worked per day are prearranged and guaranteed and they would have been paid for two full days. I later learned that the driver left his cell phone in their car while driving to an ATM to pay them after completing my job. They charged him $100 to return it to him.

Delivery had to be rescheduled to hit within our window but was later delayed for two days as the moving truck broke down. I learned about this having happened 6 hours after AVL were initially notified because Nathalie didn't come into work that day until 3 PM. I found this particularly appalling because I was learning that every possession was stranded somewhere between Colorado and New York City. Nathalie had no idea where and had emailed dispatch to get more information but hadn't heard anything. I only later learned that the breakdown had occurred in Kansas and that the fix was quick because the driver was forthcoming. AVL would have and did attempt to keep me in the dark. What kind of company has no ability to talk to their dispatch people in real time, over the phone?

The driver arrived in town the day before our final deadline and despite my requests to have delivery occur in the afternoon on that day, it was scheduled for a 5 hour period on the final day of our deadline. You read that correctly: AVL budgeted for 5 hours to unload, unpack, and place every item in our house. This all went awry when the help they had arranged to unload didn't arrive because AVL told us we weren't needed. Despite AVLs instructions not to start unloading without help, he and I were forced to unload the truck to get it down before we had to leave on our vacation. If not more were unloaded before replacement help arrived from 2 hours away. They worked incredibly slowly and unload was completed 15 minutes before we had to leave.

I was left with a house of boxes having paid for a full-service experience. Nothing was assembled, or unpacked and every piece of furniture was hurriedly placed as a result of AVL failure. In exchange for a global failure of their process, I was extended a simple apology. Our driver quit his job on the spot because after 14 years of doing this, he couldn't afford to work for a company so unable to support him such that he could do his job. Despite wasting precious unloading time on the phone with the VP of AVL, I was overly satisfied with his effort and tipped him well. Said VP was very busy and didn't have time to deal with the catastrophe his company had created. I later learned that AVL had hired him, just like they do their subcontracted help, without ever meeting anyone face-to-face; a very risky behavior in a business where customer satisfaction matters so much.

In reviewing my poor experience with my coordinator, I asked to speak with a supervisor at some point and one promptly called me to discuss things. However, as I was on vacation, I asked that she send me her contact info so that matters could be discussed during normal business hours after I returned from vacation. I never heard another word from AVL. It's now been 3 weeks since this ordeal began. I guess once they have your money, your experience is no longer their concern. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS and you will thank me later. Had my employer not graciously paid for the move in full, I would be disputing the charges with my credit card company and the job was only half completed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Every aspect of our move was handled with the utmost in excellence. Thank you Benjamin, Brandon, and Michael for handling our move professionally and with such great care from organizing to loading to unloading. We can't thank you enough for your preparation and execution.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Move from Kansas City to Raleigh, NC - The driver arrived on the first day of the window provided and did an excellent job packing the apartment. He then delivered the furniture only a few days later, far earlier then we expected. All the items arrived without any damage exceeding our expectations.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

This was a really great experience. These guys were wonderful. 5 stars all the way. Thank you guys for making this such and easy and wonderful move. The crew were so professional and even the furniture being so heavy they still smiled and were so pleasant. They were great and we will always recommend them and remember them. Thank you guys, you were great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Great experience with a move from Seattle Washington to Fort Worth Texas. I was quoted at the cheapest rate among the big moving companies. They provided a binding estimate that remained exactly the same once the move was completed. In terms of the move itself...fantastic. The movers arrived early and worked nonstop to load the truck the SAME day. The move was supposed to take two days but the movers worked for over 10 hours nonstop to complete everything in one day. Additionally, they arrived in 4 days! A day earlier than estimated. Fantastic experience all around!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

You will never find a better move leader than Mike. This was our 3rd requested move with him as Captain. He works very hard to get the job done FAST and RIGHT! The staff member Renee that handled all of our date change (4) issues was unbelievable - she ROCKS!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am moving long distance from NYC to Missouri. I got an estimate for the move from AVL in early April (3 months ago), signed the contract, paid the deposit. The company was fairly nice at the beginning. Things got worse as the moving date was approaching. I only got a pick-up window, not a specific pick-up date, and I was trying to figure out which day will the movers be actually coming. This was difficult, as the consultant was impossible to get hold of (not picking up the phone or returning calls). Three days before the pick-up window I still did not know the day, but they promised me to let me know at least two days in advance.

I wish things had stopped here. Not entirely two days before the move the company called that they are sorry, they will not be able to pick up my stuff. They will not have a van here, nor a partner who can do the move. But that I should not worry because I will get the deposit refunded. Seriously?! Two days before a long-distance move? A refund? This has been a terrible experience. Stay away from this company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

American Van Lines did a great job for us! The price was reasonable. Thank you Peter. The follow through with Veronica was exceptional and the driver/supervisor, Johnny, was polite, efficient and on time to load and unload... with super crews! Highly recommend this Van Line!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everyone was knowledgeable/professional & always available to address any concerns, especially Ms. ** & Ms. ** reducing the stress to a minimal level. Lex and his moving team were great in securing/handling the merchandise and troubleshooting any hiccups in a timely fashion.

Consumer Increased Rating!

RUN AWAY! Seriously! Run away from this company and DO NOT look back! I was fooled by all of these "good" reviews, until I realized over half of them were amended complaints. This company is so far from professional. It is frightening. Their customer service, once you sign the contract (that they receive commissions for), is non-existent, and utterly atrocious! I signed a binding contract on 5/26/17 for a move in the window of 6/25 to 6/27 from Kansas City to Sparks, Nevada, and paid a deposit over $1,600.

I receive a call on 6/20, FIVE DAYS BEFORE THE START OF THE WINDOW after trying to contact them for FOUR DAYS because on Saturday, the 17th, I was called and told they did not have an AVL truck and were "going to use a contractor" to fill the move. I tried calling back immediately after talking to her to get more details. They literally NEVER answered one of the literal 50 calls I made to 3 of the agents working there, and I spent over half an hour on hold before hanging up. Anytime I tried to make contact myself and it took her till the 20th, FIVE DAYS before our move to tell me that they could not find any contractor to help our move...

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use this company under any circumstance! The unprofessionalism is simply mind-boggling! Taking over a thousand dollars from someone and then screwing them over right before one of the most stressful events in life is simply ineffably inconsiderate! I need not only be compensated with a deposit return, but hundreds of dollars in compensation for telling me nearly A MONTH AFTER PAYING THE DEPOSIT, that I am not longer to be provided for services I paid for weeks ago! The cost of utilizing any moving company (if there are even trucks available!) is exponentially higher than it was a month ago! Several hundred to thousands of dollars more! NEVER EVER consider using this company!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Moved from Southern California to Texas. Movers did an excellent job picking up and delivering items. They showed up on time and packed fragile items carefully so they wouldn't get scratched or break. They were courteous and conscientious. Everything arrived in good condition. Overall I was happy with the move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Great experience and excellent customer service. Movers were on time and were very professional. Treated our stuff with great care. Our stuff was picked up on time. Unpacked items were shrink wrapped and delivered on time. The only issue was the estimate was done over the phone and the final cost was almost double. Didn't have any options but to pay the amount.

American Van Lines Company Profile