Call toll free
4.51/5

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your local, commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

1825 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 10 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

American Van Lines wasn’t very customer-oriented until the very end or until the actual packing date. I did a move for 1200 miles and the moving coordinator did not keep up with calling me and letting me know when the truck is gonna be there. The communication was off. On the other hand, the moving crew was very productive and they packed a lot of my belongings. They did an excellent job all the way around.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I was looking at feedback from previous customers online and American Van Lines had good feedback. The person I dealt with was also very good and thorough. We had some changes in dates and he kept me informed each step of the way. They subcontracted to another company and the movers were wonderful and really helpful as well. The truck was a smaller one but I was the only client that they had on it so I was able to add things if I needed to. They also did a wonderful job in packing, had some good advice for me and kept in touch directly with me through the schedule changes. I'd definitely recommend American Van Lines to anybody looking at major moves. I was moving from New York to North Carolina, and the price they gave me turned out to be less than the estimate. I understand from other people that that's not normal. Usually, it's more than the estimate. So the person I initially dealt with did a very good job of estimating.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My husband changed job, so we were moving to Boston, Massachusetts. I got a quote from American Van Lines and other companies. Finally, we decided to use American Van Lines and had a good experience with them. The rep asked me how many items we had and I listed all of them. They gave me a quote and told me how much they would charge including the mileage and more details, so they were good. They also had the option for me to purchase insurance. Additionally, the crew was nice and they picked up the furniture very carefully, checked every item, put a sticker, and confirmed with me. It was good.

However, there was an accident that happened at the end when they unloaded our stuff. When they put our king-size bed together, accidentally, the headboard fell to the ground. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. I filed a claim for compensation because we didn't purchase the extra insurance. They gave us a good pay for the estimate of how many pounds of the king bed. They agreed to pay around $100 something. We agreed to that and they sent me a check.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

American Van Lines helped me in my move 1400 miles away. Their reps were excellent. Their professionalism was outstanding. Moreover, their moving crew was very good. I had them pack, but they fine-tuned it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

American Van Lines is by far the best mover. We moved out of our home and they had to hold our furniture on the truck overnight as we closed on both of our homes the next day. They were great in communicating and nothing was broken. I would highly recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I went online and I liked the price of American Van Lines. The rep was available and everything went fine but the pickup day was three days after it was supposed to be initially. The delivery date was the last day of the three weeks that they gave, so the timing was bad. There was no commitment and no follow through on the time. She said she was trying as hard as she could with the scheduler. The contract said that they had so many days to deliver and she kept on reminding me about it. The crew was a little slow on both ends once things got started but they were fine. The furniture got there and so, American Van Lines followed through with that. There were no problems with the delivery.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We were moving to a new place that we bought three miles away from where we lived and my real estate agent then referred me to one of American Van Lines' representatives. I gave their moving coordinator a detailed list of what I had to move and he put together the quote and got it back to me in a timely fashion. Then from there, I got another call from another woman who told me the range of when they'd be arriving on the specified date. The crew that came was efficient. They handled my things gingerly during packing, which was what I was hoping for. I was in disbelief that they moved a couple of things without any damage. That was a plus. I also had good and informative interactions with them. American Van Lines is who you should deal with.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I was moving for a job change, and I used American Van Lines. My moving consultant was informative. Mike, the leader of the moving crew, was very good, professional, and helpful. However, his two assistants were not as professional and not as hard workers. Still, I wasn't worried about my items. They did fine with that.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I was an executor of my friend. One Thursday night, someone called and told me that I have to have my friend's place cleaned up by Monday. I was out of town then so I did finger phone calls and my Realtor said he would take care of that part of finding somebody to show up within 24 hours and have the house cleaned out. That's what American Van Lines did and they were absolutely fabulous! Seeing that it was such a rush job, the moving coordinator did the estimating and everything on the phone. In fact, he said that he would do the best he can with just me sending him pictures. Three gentlemen came and we showed them what I was shipping up to her grandchildren in Pennsylvania.

The move was for a two-bedroom townhouse and it was the furniture in it and then a lot of the stuff that was in the furniture and stuff I thought the grandchildren would want. From there they took care of everything. They wrapped them, they boxed them they did everything that I asked them to take. Overall, American Van Lines was great. They had less than 24-hour notice and they were there and got everything up to Pennsylvania. I can't complain.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

American Van Lines was very professional, and everything was done on time. My moving consultant took care of everything. We did everything online. The moving crew came in and did their work. They were in and out, but they wrapped everything up in cellophane and took it out very well. There were no damages.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We used American Van Lines for our move from Charlotte to Nashville and we had a good experience. At first, I told them that I had already decided to go with another moving company but they asked me to let them see what they can do. And then, they came back and did it in a way that I wasn't put off by it. I was very satisfied with my dealings with the moving coordinator. Also, we really liked the moving crew and we had a good camaraderie. They were good guys and they worked hard. I would recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I moved 15 miles and I was very pleased with American Van Lines. I would recommend them to anyone moving. The rep was cordial and everything that I wanted. He was very good and knew everything. During the move, the crew was very nice and we had a good time talking to one another. I supplied them with water and I couldn’t believe that they moved in such a quick time.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

A friend of mine had used American Van Lines and he had a good experience. I used them as well for a 10 miles move and the coordinator did great. The movers did a good job and were thorough. The crew that came and picked us up was amazing. We’ve moved four times but we couldn’t have done the job that they did. We have about 85% of everything packed up already. They helped pack some of the tool cases. We had those locked up and they wrapped them up. The delivery crew was a bit late but it was only because they had to go to another job and they got out of there a little late, but it wasn’t a big deal. I had a great experience overall.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I had a new job in Kansas, so we moved from Indiana. The two coordinators at American Van Lines were really helpful and they gave us a good idea of what we would be experiencing, what we needed to do and what the moving company would do. They prepared us pretty well for what we would experience. The driver was like the boss and he was a little frustrated because he was short-handed and he expected to have more people helping than he had. Besides himself, there were two other people. Later, a third person showed up but that person only worked for a few minutes, then he complained about his back so he would take a cigarette break. At some point, he stopped working altogether and he was trying to solicit us to pay him to do yard work or do some things around the house. He was talking behind their back about keeping an eye on them because of stuff walking away. He was a little sketchy and we didn't see him after the afternoon.

However, the driver helped off and on and the other two people worked like crazy. They were really hard workers, but they took longer than they planned to get all of our stuff loaded. Once we left, they beat us out to Kansas. They got here before we did and they unloaded. The process went okay, although one of the things about being short-handed was about the inventory list. They made a list of all the things that they were shipping and at the very beginning, the list was very detailed. However, at the end, they were just drawing a line straight down the page saying, "Items moved," because they were moving things so fast. When we unloaded everything when they took off, we began realizing that some things had been damaged and we had some things missing. We had an empty wardrobe that was damaged. They put something very heavy on top of it which broke the top of it.

My wife has a very large commercial baking pan that's lined with hardened ceramic clay. It's very heavy and easily weighs 150 pounds. They dropped it, so all the clay lining broke. We also had a two-wheel dolly cart, a 10-foot extension ladder and a 5-foot wooden stepladder that went missing. We called the driver and at the time, we only realized that we were missing the dolly cart and he said that it was still on his truck, so he was gonna make plans to meet me someplace because he lives in Kansas City, Missouri, which is about an hour and a half away. When I was about to make that appointment with him, we realized that our ladders were also missing, so I emailed him to ask if by chance the ladders were on his truck too, but I never heard back from him again. We filed a claim, but a claim is only so many cents per pound, so we're not gonna get much back on what was missing and damaged.

Overall, it was a good experience because all the stuff was moved and there were only two things that were damaged and three other things that walked away. The value was good and their price was way cheaper than competitor quotes. They were more accurate on the estimate and that's where the front-end person was really good in helping us estimate how much and what was needed. They were really spot-on with that. I would probably use them again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

The rep from American Van Lines came to the house to give me the estimate and looked around. He asked me questions about the eight-mile move and offered some wardrobe boxes. He was very professional and very nice. The crew worked hard all day until late at night. I told them numerous times to take a break. Once in a while, I handed them water because it was so hot. They said thank you and kept on working. I never saw them take a break, not even for lunch. They did a good job and nothing broke. They wrapped every single piece of furniture in those clothes they had and with the shrink wrap so nothing was scratched. I was very pleased with their work. We moved before using a different company, and this was a big difference. American Van Lines was outstanding. They are a company to recommend and if I ever move again, I will call them.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Communication was difficult and staff doesn’t talk to each other. You need to keep schedule open for a 4 day period and get possibly 24 hours notice about the time frame of move. Of this 4 day period you have to stay open for they give you a 3 hour period I assumed the move would be done during. On pickup and delivery company was over an hour and half late without any communication beforehand and lame “traffic” excuses when they arrive. Once the movers actually arrived they were pleasant and very efficient but the whole process was a mess.

The coordinators need to either be trained to understand the mover’s job or just get rid of the position altogether. It would be much more effective just to have the customers communicate with the actual mover instead of someone who’s clueless sitting in an office across the country being the middleman. All of my items arrived in fine condition with all of this said. I picked my moving company based on this site's reviews so I’m not sure that they are accurate and not coerced in some way.

American Van Lines response

Hi Jordan,

Please accept our apology for being 1.5 hours late during your move and the poor communication you received.

We are a little surprised by the 1 star rating though. It sounds like everything else went well. You said the movers were pleasant and efficient and everything arrived in fine condition. In addition, we delivered you from NC to CO in 9 days for the exact amount of the estimate we gave you.

We will look into this move further and find ways to learn from our mistakes.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We were moving to a different retirement place in South Carolina from our place in Florida. Our real estate agent suggested that we use American Van Lines. We contacted a service salesperson first, then we had a coordinator that coordinated most of the move. All in all, it was a good experience. We're in a community, so it was a little bit more difficult to get to our location but the move worked out well. It was seamless and hassle-free and it didn't result in any additional work for us. American Van Lines gave us a window in which they expected the goods to be delivered to our new home and they were within that window. It worked within our schedule and it did not take any more time than we had initially expected. The moving crew was very good as well. They put together the furniture appropriately in the right area and it didn’t take too long. The cost was reasonable too. I would recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I called American Van Lines and told their coordinator about my short move. I described what I needed and she helped me get exactly what I needed. It was a simple interaction and I felt at ease with the way she was explaining everything. There was a short timeframe for my move and I did everything over the phone. Then, everything was good with the crew that came. I was comfortable about the way that they handled things before transporting it to about 7 miles away. I heard about American Van Lines through a friend and I'd absolutely tell friends to call them too.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I liked the person I was talking to at American Van Lines so I went ahead and got their services for the move from Dallas, Texas to Florida. The moving coordinator was very helpful and informative. She answered all my questions and followed through with everything she told me. The crew men were fabulous too. American Van Lines has been wonderful. Anytime I've had a question or needed to know something, they have been right on top of it. My stuff’s in storage now and they’re gonna move me one more time. I would recommend them very highly to anybody who moves.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

We found American Van Lines when we did a web research and looked at the online reviews. We contacted them and the customer service rep was very good. She was instrumental in our signing up with them for our move because of her professionalism and how nice she was. She responded in a very timely manner to any phone conversations and email communications that we had. The crew was awesome, top-notch and outstanding during our move. They handled all of our items and furniture, and we did not have any breakage at all. I had moved all of my consumer electronics, such as the TVs, computers and electronic devices, before they moved our other things. We had a really good move and our experience with them was very positive from A to Z. I would highly recommend American Van Lines to people that need a transport company to move them with quality.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I looked around for a transport service when I was moving within the state for work and American Van Lines had really good reviews on the Better Business Bureau. I filled out the surveys online and that was all really good. My interactions with the moving consultant were good too. The reps were thorough and responsive. I got somebody quickly on the phone and they were able to give me an estimate in a good amount of time. The moving crew that I worked with was really good as well. They were very polite and hardworking. American Van Lines is a good moving company and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I was relocating two hours away from where I live and after I did a comparison between two other transport companies, American Van Lines turned out to be the most reasonable in price. During the initial setup, the coordinator I dealt with was very professional, fast and efficient. Then the consultant explained everything to me and made sure I had everything that I needed. American Van Lines' productivity was very good. Everything arrived good and intact.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I sold my house and downsized. I was moving to a new home within a mile or two away and I heard about American Van Lines through the listing service that I used to list my home. Their rep Bryan came to the house, evaluated the situation, and came up with a quote, which was fair. It was great. Then, he brought over some boxes and some stuff because it was part of the pre-negotiated deal with the listing service that I used. And he was super friendly.

I have a lot of heavy furniture and the moving crew had to move a little bit in the rain but they were fantastic. It was done in one day and I didn't have to store my things overnight. They handled my things like they were their own, so I was very impressed. Plus, the price was right and the move was smooth. I've recommended American Van Lines to other people, too. And if someone asked me if I heard of a good mover, I'd give them American Van Lines' number and tell them to contact Bryan because they were reliable and I felt comfortable with them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Moving is a very stressful experience, especially if using a large interstate moving company. Moving 45 years of household goods and memories makes it even harder. After reading the reviews about American Van Lines I was sure that they would take care of us. I made lots of phone calls to my "personal mover" - I am betting I made a big nuisance of myself - my go-to person never made me feel like I was bothering them. If I had to leave a message, they called me back. AVL is a HUGE company that makes you feel like you are their only customer. Our driver Chuck stayed in contact with us and was very helpful in more ways than one (as well as the office personnel). Were there a couple of glitches... yes. But in the end, AVL came thru with everything they said they would. Bottom line, if we ever have to move again, I would use this company. I like the personal service!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Our moving coordinator from American Van Lines was very informative and scheduled everything that was needed. The rep who helped us plan the details of the move told us everything we needed to know and gave us a fair quote, so we were happy with him. The move went smoothly and the moving crew was very good. The only complaint they had was that there were more stuff than what they were told. They were thinking that they could have come with a smaller truck based on what was told. They ended up bringing the larger truck, which was good, but it was filled to the brim. Everything was safe, so it was good. I would definitely recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I was moving from Half Moon Bay, California, to Tucson. At the time, I was looking for a long distance mover with good ratings and I decided to work with American Van Lines. Their rep and I stayed in constant contact. We had to change our moving date and every time I called them they were very accommodating. Their rep was very honest and would send us estimates. She supplied us with all the documents of what they can and cannot take. She also answered all our questions and specified in detail what kind of places the trucks can go into. Also, we are renting a house now and we were thinking we would have them pick up our stuff and keep it in storage until our house is completed. Their rep told us they could do that but it would get very expensive. So, instead, we will just call them again when we move to our new house.

I heard nightmare stories from my wife's brother who didn't use American Van Lines. Conversely, the moving crew I had was the best. Eddie was our truck driver and I’ve never ever seen anybody work as hard my entire life. I was surprised ‘cause I’ve used movers before when I was in the military, so this is the first time I had to pay for it. Though our estimate was a little bit lower than what we had to pay, it was still reasonable and we were more than happy to pay it. I'd tell others to choose American Van Lines.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

We sold our home in New Jersey and we became more permanent residents of Florida. My son had used American Van Lines several times and recommended them. Their rep was excellent. He gave very detailed information and excellent follow-up. He was very thorough and easily accessible. From beginning to end, it took five days. They exceeded expectations. The communication with the driver was very good. The pickup took a little longer because we had used an elevator. Other than that, they were very efficient and thorough. It took them no time to off-load everything into our home. A container or two got a little dented but nothing inside was damaged. We've recommended them to friends.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I was moving out of state and needed a van line. I went online and had some people come and give me estimates, but the great reviews that American Van Lines had prompted me to go with them. Initially, I had great interactions with my moving coordinator. But, I tried to get back to her at one point and I had a hard time. So I called the main number and have them transferred me to her phone. After that, it was okay. They kept in touch with me. The movers were excellent. There were two guys. They packed my my furniture up in New Jersey. I really loved that they were the same guys that were going to deliver my stuff here in Virginia. That put me at rest because I was really nervous about my stuff being lost or damaged. Knowing that they were gonna drive it down was great.

I packed my whole house, so all they had to do were the furniture and TV's. My husband also had a motorcycle that they had to pack, which was fine. They did a good job with the mirrors, too. The only thing was they told me that they were gonna deliver my goods on a Monday. I wasn’t to leave until Monday, but then, they changed their mind and they told me that it would be Sunday. Thankfully, my son lived around here so he was able to meet them. But if he hadn't been here, I probably would have incurred more cost. Also, I was on the road driving here, and the man that handled the payment called me while I was on the road. I had to juggle giving him my credit card information on the phone while I was driving. That wasn't good. Otherwise, it was a decent experience. American Van Lines is a good company to use.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

American Van Lines was the best-priced from the other moving companies I looked into as they were half the price of what everybody else wanted to charge me. I also read reviews and then figured to go with them. The coordinator I worked with was excellent. He wasn’t aware that we had a time limit because I was moving into a condo, and we had to be done by 4 o’clock. When he got there, he didn’t think that we could do it, but we all worked together and finished right on time. Their movers were very hard workers as well. They were prompt and knew exactly what they were doing. Each person from American Van Lines was great and I was very happy with them.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We were moving from Asheville to Charlotte and I researched on the web. I found that American Van Lines has good reviews and once I got the estimate, the cost was better than some of the other places. The rate as well as planning with the rep were very good. The stuff leading up to the move was also great, but when you're planning a move and you've got people coming into your old house, you got a contract on the new apartment to live in and you plan a move time to get there. However, the truck was two days late. AVL kept telling us the driver was gonna be there any minute, but they didn't explain why. Clearly, there was miscommunication about when the guy was gonna arrive.

The 48-hour delay really messed up our plans and caused us some consternation, but the move went very well once it got going. We already packed everything in boxes and they wrapped the pieces of furniture in pads. Everything, including all the mirrors and pictures, arrived intact. You expect some things to get broken, and some of the delicate stuff we packed in our boxes were broken. My file cabinet was almost totally destroyed and I should have taken the stuff out, but that was a mistake on my part and I don't feel bitter or dismayed at all. We got a good deal.

American Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American Van Lines is a local, commercial and long distance mover that is also a family-owned business. They are headquartered in Pompano Beach, FL, and can help with moving nationwide.

• Local moving: The company does a lot of local, residential and commercial moves. These moves are within short distances and the cost is affordable.

• Corporate: They have a team of moving specialists that help with corporate moves and are capable of moving entire companies.

• Military moving: American Van Lines understands the needs of military moves, which require comprehensive planning and strict deadlines.

• Visa and immigration services: American Van Lines can help customers obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and other paperwork.

• Storage: The company also offers storage facilities to help companies and families safely store their belongings while they are in the process of changing locations.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs