Call toll free
4.40/5

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your local, commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

1856 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have had the worst experience with this company. They hire outside contractors for drivers which most of the time the drivers are extremely rude. Not only that but the American does not communicate at all with the movers. For example, they tell me that the movers take credit cards to pay for the move, but when I talk to the movers, they state they only accept cash or money order!! I don’t have thousands of cash in my bank account to pay in cash and that’s why I asked about credit card as an option for payment. I’m extremely disappointed how this move has gone and the lack of communication with the Van line and the mover. I will not be using them again!!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

The packers were excellent! They put blankets on your furniture then shrink wrap it. That is all furniture! They took real good care of my stuff that I could see because it was placed in storage. They stayed in contact from start to finish they did not complain about anything and were very polite! I would recommend them to anyone! They work their butt off for 2 guys it went quick. My packers and drivers was Antonio and Louise.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

American Van Lines was recommended and it was very good from top to bottom. The crew during the move was very nice, and they were perfect gentlemen. The move took three days from NY. We could have been here earlier but we were not here. Overall, they were neat and comfortable, and they did their job well.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Everything about our experience with American Van Lines was really good. We moved from Boca Raton, Florida to Bedford, New Hampshire, which was approximately 1,500 miles, and it took a couple of weeks. It was some time in the middle of August and we got our stuff towards the end of August. The leader of the crew that picked us up was the same guy who delivered our furniture, and he was really good. In some instances, he went above and beyond what would have been expected and we appreciated all of his help.

We did have some items that were marginally damaged though, and we only found out recently. We moved into our house about two weeks ago and some of the stuff had been in storage for a couple of months. But I reached out to American Van Lines and they seemed to be willing to address it. They provided me with an email address to send photos of the damaged stuff. It's some stuff that had some meaning to us but it's nothing too significant and other than that, I'm happy with the service.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I considered another agency first but they were very costly. So, I did some research and see what I was working with. Then, I called American Van Lines to ask if they do residential moving and we used them back in September. Everybody there was nice. I worked with an awesome lady and told her what I was looking for. I gave her a five-day notice and she was able to pull everything together and make the move happen quickly.

I had two gentlemen during the move and they were very nice and friendly. They came in and worked hard from the time that they came in to the time they left. It took two hours to box me up and get me moved and another two hours to get me into the new place which is about six miles down the road. American Van Lines is good and I am gonna use them again when I move again in the spring. I had a good experience between the move, packing up, moving out and putting everything together. It was better than I thought it would be.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We were moving from Connecticut to Florida. I looked into three companies and I also looked up American Van Lines online. American Van Lines was less expensive and could do the dates that I wanted them to do and they were really good about helping me with the packing information, so I chose them. The moving coordinator was really good about helping me make the purchase and estimate inventory. I called back a couple of times saying I forgot something and he would say it was not a problem. At that point, it was kind of like we were gonna move things ourselves until we realized we had too much stuff, so we were already getting a little frazzled. When the crew got there for packing, my husband and I were so exhausted. We had a lot of pictures that hadn’t been packed yet, and I just couldn't bubble wrap or tape anything else, and they did it for us but didn’t charge us anything extra. I really liked them.

American Van Lines said that when they picked up the stuff, the move could take up to two weeks, but they got there in three days. The only problem was we were missing a bunch of boxes and don’t know where they were. I think there were three moves on the truck, and they called us at one point and asked us if we had a couch. But we didn’t have an extra couch, so they lost somebody's couch and they also lost a couple of boxes.

I had put in a claim but unfortunately, I couldn’t prove anything because I didn’t have the barcodes for the boxes. One box contained a couple of antique, Chinese jewelry boxes and there was some cheap jewelry in there. I don’t know what the boxes themselves would be valued at today, but I’ve had them for 30 to 40 years, so they’re sentimental. However, at the beginning of December, they said it could take ‘til the end of January for them to evaluate the claim.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I had a very good interaction with the rep of American Van Lines and everything that we talked about was right on and agreed to. I decided to go with them because of the cost and being able to do what I needed to do. They were on time and did everything that they said they were gonna do. The crew was good too. The main leader was solid, very detail-oriented and he told me what was going on. The move was 20 miles and they were done in four hours. They also took a washer and dryer from my neighbors and they had no problem doing that.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On Friday October 5, 2018 my husband and I began to interview moving companies. We spoke with Juan and discussed the size of the move, locations, prices and dates. I told him that we wanted to be out by 11/6/18 and in by the 11/13/18. I was told that there would be a 3-day window for pick-up and delivery on each end. We agreed that the pick-up window would be from the 4th to the 6th, and the delivery window would be from the 11th through the 13th. We discussed this and I was told that it would not be a problem. We signed papers and returned them to Juan on 10/9/18. We did not notice the company had extended the delivery dates out to 11/18/18. We were not informed that American Van Lines would broker out our job to another company and did not find this out until the day they were supposed to pack and pick-up our goods.

We were called around 11:00 AM on 11/6/18, the day that they were supposed to pack and pick-up, that they could not come that morning because the truck had broken down and would call us when it was repaired. We did not know at that time that they were in Fresno, CA which is 119 miles away, approximately a 2.5-hour drive with normal traffic. It was also at this time that we found out our job was brokered out to Energy Moving. At that time, we looked up this company to discover that their online reviews were horrible. We were called later that day to tell us that they truck was not going to be fixed in time to pick us up that that and would “try” for the next day.

We had arranged for a hotel that evening at the Best Western in Gilroy, we called, explained our situation and they graciously canceled our reservation with no penalty. The next morning, we waited for word from the movers and they finally arrived mid-afternoon. The packing and loading began and quickly became a fiasco. I went through the house explaining what need to be packed, what stayed and showed them an area where I had put everything that was not to be packed and was going with us.

Numerous times we noticed that breakable items were being put into a box with no protection or wrapping and not necessarily with like items. Example one box contained: a lamp, the shade, yoga mat, silver mantle clock and clothes from master closet. Nothing was wrapped, and the clothes were just laying on top of it all, instead of being hung in the wardrobe boxes.

About 2 hours into the packing (by this time it was dark outside) boxes were all over the carport and street, I noticed that my purse was missing. It had been placed in the area with the other items that were not to be packed. When I told the driver about this, he explained that it couldn’t be, that I must be mistaken. No, it was packed. I went out with one of the packers and opened approximately 20 boxes and finally found it at the bottom of a wardrobe box. The box was also packed with hanging clothes and clothes that were just wadded up and pushed through to the bottom. It also contained other household items that did not come out of the clothes closet. During the search, I found numerous of these 20 boxes that were not properly packed - some items from all over the home just thrown into boxes with no organization at all.

We were supposed to be staying in Fernley, NV that night at the Super 8 Motel but had to cancel our reservation and pay over $120.00 for the room because it was taking long to pack. At 12:30 AM on 11/8/18 the movers finally finished what was supposed to be a 5 hour job. My husband and I drove to Sacramento, approximately 150 miles and arrived around 3:00 AM and stayed at the La Quinta Inn.

The morning of 11/8/18 we left Sacramento and drove to Winnemucca, NV spent a night. The next day we drove to Caldwell, ID. We stayed in the La Quinta Inn. We kept in constant communication with American Van Lines - numerous personnel trying to get a date for delivery. It was on one of these calls that we were told that they had until 11/18/18 to deliver per our contract. This was obviously very upsetting and explained that no one had ever mentioned this to us, but after reviewing the contract we saw that the date had been amended from what had been agreed to. It but still did not believe that it could take that long. In fact, the driver had told us that it could be there as early as the 11th. Our original reservation had been from 11/10/18 to 11/14/18. We had to extend our reservation at the hotel 3 times, each time with no guarantee of a delivery day, except to say that the contract said it had to be there by the 11/18/18.

The movers finally arrived at 7:00 AM on 11/22/18 which was Thanksgiving Day. While unpacking our belongings, we discovered that very important items were missing: a file cabinet with tax records, passports, military records, medical records; statue that was the last gift received from a deceased parent, and furniture. A couple of days later, fortunately it was found in a crate that was left behind in Fresno. They finally delivered it to us the following week. It was on this delivery that we found out that the crew had been overbooked by their office and should have been here days before. Instead, our delivery had been diverted. The crew was sent to a client that had a huge home with museum quality goods to pack and move, which took an additional 3 days.

Further, getting up the day after the initial delivery we discovered that our very expensive mattress, which had been wrapped and loaded on the outside of the truck had gone through a snowstorm, was wet. When we called to discuss this urgent matter, we were told to just file a claim. This was no help at all. We had to give up our holiday with friends, we had to extend our stay at the hotel, we were mentally stressed due to all of these factors. All of this is bad enough, but with all the extra days in motels and having to buy 3 meals per day we spent well over $1,400.00 that we had not budgeted for. What should have been a joyous move, retiring and moving to a new home turned out to be a nightmare which we are still financially and emotionally suffering from. Please never hire these people, they are a disaster.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The team from American Van Lines was excellent. All of my stuff were secured and nothing was damaged. We moved in and out, got into the apartment to here, and everything went smoothly. It was a good experience. However, the cost was a little bit high. It was twice as much as what we had expected and we didn’t know we were gonna pay so much. I told to the person when they were doing the billing that it should have been explained some more because we were thinking that it was that cost for the move and everything. But we had to pay upfront, so we didn't have any choice at that time. Nevertheless, I would still recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We bought a new house and needed to move about 15 miles. I called several different moving companies and American Van Lines had the best rates. Plus, I felt like that they had a good reputation because my whole life, I’ve been seeing their trucks all over the place. The lady who set the move up was great. She was very knowledgeable about what she does. I had a lot of questions and she had the answers.

However, the movers got there late. Plus, they didn’t have the tools that they needed to take the furniture apart. One of our family members had to run the supervisor to Walmart to buy tools. He thought he was gonna have to pay for the tools himself and finally got a hold of the right person at American Van Lines. I had asked for certain things to be wrapped, but they went overboard with it and were wrapping up everything in the whole house. I finally had to stop them because we had paid for a certain amount of hours. They were just eating up time constantly wrapping stuff. I felt like they were trying to add more time.

Once the movers got here at our new home, they kept watching their watches. They knew they were past the time that they had allotted for us to move. When they got there, they didn’t have to move anything, except for the refrigerator, the appliances, and the furniture. My husband had just about done it all for them. He ended up moving the majority of what we moved to our new house.

The movers tried fitting a French door refrigerator through a door that was obviously too small. Instead of stopping, all of them got in behind that refrigerator and tried to push it through that door. What they did to our refrigerator was awful. It’s dented, scratched and has white paint all over it from the house. It’s a black refrigerator. I mailed in the claim about a week or two after we moved in, which was in October and we have not heard anything back. I’ll never use American Van Lines again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We were moving 3,000 miles away and we needed a moving company. My husband did the research and he chose American Van Lines. He had more interactions with the reps than I did, and the interactions were satisfactory. We had some minor things that got broken and scratched during the move, but we fixed things on our own and it wasn't something to make a deal out of.

It's my understanding that they move more than one family at a time, so they have more than our stuff on there. I don't know if they rearrange things later as they move on to pack someone else's things in the truck, but we had a bad situation with a very expensive dining room table. They took my table apart, which I wasn't really thrilled about, and I didn't like the idea that they wanted it completely unassembled. But when they got it to this end, nobody could put it back together, and it was a fiasco. The table still does not sit right because they took it apart, so we're dealing with it as it is. I think what they were trying to do was take everything apart so they could fit as much in that truck as possible. By doing so, they could damage things. Still, the people at American Van Lines were nice and they worked really hard. They were not perfect and they made a few screw-ups, but for the most part, they were good.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

DO NOT WALK BUT RUN from this company. Consistent broken promises and lies. I would suggest a more reputable moving company like Mills Van Lines or their parent company. I could list all the items that have gone wrong but I suggest you read all negative comments and that is what you get. Here are a few suggestions if you take a chances with American Van Lines Inc.

Register a complaint on movingscam.com. Notify the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Lodge a complaint with the Department of Transport (DOT). File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). File a complaint with Consumer Affairs. Notify Move Rescue for assistance. American Van Lines Inc has consistent pricing with all other movers so be warned.

American Van Lines response

We are sorry we delivered you 4 days late and for the inconvenience it caused your family. As you know, our driver was hospitalized so we informed you of the delay ahead of time. Your review leads people to believe it was more than just a delayed delivery and that somehow you were scammed. You can't list "all of the things that went wrong" because our delay was the only issue you had and you are being compensated for it. It is my understanding that after our conversation, you are now satisfied with the delivery and this delay issue is resolved.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

American Van Lines was a little less in price than the other company I looked at. The moving coordinator I worked with was really good and helped me out a lot. The date that I moved fluctuated by a couple of days and she was willing to work with me to make sure my dates were flexible. The moving company came in, and the two guys in a truck packed up my old apartment and put it in my new one in a span of about five hours. They weren't in the time window that they said they would be, but they were good. I was running late to get back up to my new place for an appointment and they packed up all the rest of my stuff and met me up there. That was nice of them to do. Overall, I was happy with the service.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I called American Van Lines seeing that their customer rating and comments were very positive. The reps that I dealt with were very good, professional, and very helpful. The moving crew was also very professional and they wrapped all the furniture very well. It was very impressive. I waited a little long for them to arrive though. It was within the range I was told, but it would be better if they arrived sooner. It was very inconvenient when we were already in the place, but we were still waiting for the furniture. Other than that, I was satisfied with all the service. It was great and the price was fair. I would recommend it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I googled American Van Lines and they had good reviews on Yelp and the Better Business Bureau. They were also responsive and gave me a reasonable price quote. Some of the other van line companies insisted on sending somebody to my house to do the measurements and the estimates in person which I didn't have time for but American Van Lines was able to do it when we needed to. The rep who assisted me with my purchase was helpful, responsive and she always called me back. She never left me hanging, which was rare. It was a great experience especially compared to the horrible experience with the other moving companies.

I was on the top floor of an old 1920's building in Washington, DC and they needed to move my one bedroom full of stuff. It was over 3,000 pounds of furniture and belongings, so they needed to move that out and down. Since I was in the city, they couldn't bring their semi-truck in, so they needed to go to U-Haul and get a shuttle vehicle to move all that stuff in. They were able to do all of that and then, they drove that 1,600 miles to South Texas. The crew was quick, pleasant, professional and good communicators. We liked them. The rep who assisted me with my move knew what I was talking about. She didn’t get any of the information mixed up which could happen when you are coordinating a bunch of different moves for a bunch of different people. She was able to keep everything straight so, it was easy. I never feared when I called her that she didn't know who I was.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We got a couple of bids from other van lines, and American Van Lines had the best rate. The interaction we had with the coordinator was okay. However, we were a little frustrated with the timing because they didn’t deliver on time and we didn’t get our items until after 11 days. But when they arrived, everything was great. Our driver was awesome, and the people who delivered the items were nice. There were a couple of broken glasses, but those are only minor things. Logistically, American Van Lines move multiple people in that huge van line. But I would definitely suggest more demographic areas because the driver had to go all the way to Texas, and then back down to California. It probably caused the delay. They should just go state to state instead of going up and down.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My wife found American Van Lines online, and she contacted them and got a quote. Their quote was good enough. We love the moving coordinator who assisted us. She was personable and down to earth. We had a great connection with her from the beginning. If she would have been somebody who was less personable, we probably would have had some doubts or some second thoughts about going with them.

We had a good moving crew. They were very helpful, quick and did everything that they needed to do.There was somebody who put a dent in the wall. But it was fixable. They did their job well and I appreciated them. We got along really good. They picked up the day before we were supposed to move into the new house, and it was right during the holiday too. But then the guy who was buying our house, had some problems at the last minute with his getting the approval of FHA. So there were some real questions about whether or not we would be able to move into the house.

When we checked the moving company they said, “Well, we had to take everything off of the trucks and put it in the storage. And then we’ll have to put it back on the trucks, and it’s gonna cost you extra for that time period because we need our trucks.” I told my realtor we weren’t gonna pay a lot of extra money because his realtor should’ve known that everything needed to have been finalized before they told us. But it eventually got straightened out and it was only a day delay by time they delivered it. Overall I would recommend American Van Lines. If somebody asked me who we had I would tell them and say that I was pleased.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I looked into many companies but American Van Lines originally said there was a 90%-95% chance that they could do the move in one day, so I went with them. It turned out, however, that wasn’t the case and that made me a bit upset. During the pick up, the crew wasted an hour, saying there was more stuff than they thought and they had to count everything. It probably took them two and half hours to take the first package out of the house even though everything was boxed and by the door. One guy had to call the home office while the other two weren’t really doing anything. They brought out some boxes, packaging and things until the other guy got the okay to start moving.

I knew ahead of time that the initial amount was based off of an estimate, and everything with the move was done based off of the weight of the truck and the weight of my stuff. So, I didn’t understand why it was taking so long. It didn’t really matter if there were little boxes or not. I used small wine and beer boxes to pack things so they were easier to lift versus using bigger boxes. Instead of having the normal-sized moving box that would be three times as much in weight, I used a wine box. There might have been more boxes, but the weight was about the same. Yet that played into the fact that we didn’t get the move done in one day.

The other issue was that they said they would get there between 9:00 and 11:00. My thought was if you’re trying to move somebody in one day, you would get there at 9:00, especially when there’s a four-hour drive between locations. But they got there at 11:15, which kinda put it out of the same-day move. In my mind, at that point, I had to get a hotel room because my bed was on the moving truck, so I wasn’t overly happy with that. Plus, I have a dog, and there are always extra charges with dogs in hotel rooms.

American Van Lines had me talk to the lady in Texas that set up the move, and also to the local dispatcher in North Carolina. But there has never been any conversation with anybody about compensation for all the troubles I went through. American Van Lines did a good job with the actual move. They moved everything properly, and I only had one or two things that were broken, so I was happy with that. If I'm trying to get the move done in a day, I’d probably go with one of the smaller companies where I could talk to the people ahead of time and get them on the same page.

American Van Lines said they had tried to get in touch with me early in the week. But I was finishing out a job, and I work 12-hour days as a physician’s assistant, so there was no time to talk on the phone. But I was told everything was set up and I was told what was gonna happen. When somebody tells me there’s a 95% chance something is gonna happen, that’s my expectation. Still, they did not lie to me. They just didn’t exactly push the truth all the way.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I saw American Van Lines on the internet and I also looked around. I went with them because their price was okay and the moving coordinator who helped me was great. I had to move my moving date 4 times because of the storm coming in and then I couldn’t close on my property, so he was really great to work with me to fix the schedule every time.

I was separated and I had to move to a place that is 50 minutes away. The move went great. I already had my boxes packed so all they had to do was load and unload which took about 5 hours. However, my screen door got broken in the process and I didn’t notice it at first. They didn’t take the door off the hook and now, the door will not shut anymore. It seems like the door and the frame are not aligned anymore. I know that the front door was perfectly fine before but now it'll hit me in the butt by the time I walk in. I had few large pieces of furniture and I have a really large shrunk that I brought from Germany that's really heavy, and

that might have been what caused the problem with the door. Since too much time had passed, I didn't contact American Van Lines anymore. Besides, stuff like that happens when one moves and the people were really nice.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I wanted to use a local company that is nationally recognized and I ended up with American Van Lines. We had to change the day a number of times and the coordinator was always very helpful. However, there was a slight damage on my furniture. It was reported but nothing ever got done about it. I didn't follow up on it because I expected American Van Lines to follow up. But for the most part, we were satisfied with the moving crew that helped with our move. I recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We moved 22 times as a result of 40 years' worth of federal service and the move with American Van Lines is the most reasonable and the best move experience we ever had. The lady that did the estimate did a tour of our house virtually because we had it listed for sale online. We went through each room, discussed it and after all the packing was done, she was off by nine bucks. She estimated within a few hundred pounds in regards to the weight. It was incredible how accurate she was, in looking at the house, talking to me, and then putting the estimate together. I couldn't say enough good things about her.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had to move 800 miles from Kansas City to New Mexico. I was desperate since it was late and I was gonna get a U-Haul and pack it ourselves. However, the more I thought about it, the less attractive that was. Also, there wasn't a U-Haul big enough for my stuff. So, I was gonna have to have two, but then I decided to just hire someone to get it done. I looked up online and American Van Lines was the first one that came up. I made a call. The reps who assisted me were very helpful. They kept me informed when they were gonna pick up because it was always a question. They'd give you a 48-hour window, but you never really know when they'd come. The moving crew was nice, too. The only thing was they showed up with my truck, but they only had an hour left on their time. So, they couldn't unload everything and what I needed was buried. Still, it was fine. The movers worked hard and we survived. American Van Lines was really helpful.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My Realtor put me on American Van Lines. I moved from Raleigh down to the coast about three hours and all of it was excellent. We had a good rapport and they were very helpful. Also, the crew was knowledgeable and they helped out. They took apart what they need to take apart and put it back together and didn’t break anything.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We wanted to live near the beach. We weren’t getting any younger, so we decided to sell our house in Forest City and move to the beach or near the beach. We talked to the American Van Lines reps and they told us how much it would be to move our goods from Forest City, which we originally lived, down to our new house in Carolina Shores, North Carolina, and we stored the goods for a month in Greensboro, at which time we paid to have them moved on down to our permanent house.

The lady that set it up the first part of our move was very helpful. And then the guys that came out and picked up our furniture were professional and knew what they were doing. They packed our goods up and they went to Greensboro. Then I talked to the coordinator. She called me and I filled out the necessary paperwork to have it moved on, and then I paid the freight charge to have it moved down to Carolina Shores. The group that came down here told us they were gonna be here at 10 o’clock, and they were right on the spot. They did what they said they were gonna do. And in two hours, they had the furniture unloaded and it was great.

They advised us that we had more modern marble top coffee table that was broken and I submitted a claim for that. The lady said we would hear something by the end of November and it's going into December now. Also, I have a small Road Trip grill which wasn’t broken when we've seen it, but it was broken when it was delivered. I had a thing in to American Van Lines for that. But 90% of the goods weren’t broken and everything is in good shape. American Van Lines did well and I was satisfied with them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I researched moving companies and I got American Van Lines on one of the searches I did online. They're about five miles from where I live and their rates were good, so I went with them. The moving coordinator had very good customer service and I was kept informed with everything. I moved from Reno to Lemoore, California first and I dropped off a bunch of stuff there. Then about a month later or six weeks later, I was moving stuff from Lemoore to Pompano Beach. On both times, the gentleman who loaded the trucks was very nice and there were no damage. The move to Lemoore was right on time. The other one, I expected to get my things about a week or a little sooner than what was written on the contract which is about three weeks but it took almost all that time to get here. But other than that, everything was fine.

No response received
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

The only stress that I had during my move across country was with American Van Lines. My house sold faster than I thought that it would, so I have to move asap. The representative assured me that they would pick my goods up between the 1st and the 3rd of November, of course they came on the 4th. That delay cause a roller coaster of other problems that caused me more money. Speaking of money, beware of hidden fees, I ended up paying over $2000 more than what I was led to believe that I would pay. While they were loading, some guy calls me and tells me that the driver says the load is closer to 8000+ lbs than the 5000 lbs they estimated and that I would need to agree to a change in the contract to reflect the greater weight and higher charge and that if I didn't agree then the driver would have no choice but to only move what he had already loaded (half), leaving the rest of our stuff behind.

A threat right in the middle of loading was a ballsy and dirty move. Oh, and they didn't deliver the day that they said they would. We waited all day on the day the guy said they would come and they didn't show until the next day (didn't bother to call and let us know). These are just a few things that I had to go through with this company. I read a few positive reviews without looking deeper. Believe the negative reviews and save yourself the added stress and headache of dealing with this company. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We were moving 30 miles and had American Van Lines move our things. We also had them store our things for three weeks. American Van Lines was able to price match. Also, the customer service given to us by Toni, the office person who came out to give me the quote, was above and beyond. The crew that did the move was fabulous as well. They had the personalities, worked hard, and cleaned up after themselves.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

We would like thank Steve ** & Steve ** for the great job they did with our move from Arizona to Texas. They were very professional and hardworking men. They are a great credit American Van Lines. Great job.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I was moving from New Jersey to Florida. I knew somebody who used American Van Lines and this company came referred to them. Marcus, the moving coordinator, was wonderful. Whenever I left a message, he was able to call me back promptly. Like him, the consultant answered all my questions. Everything was explained thoroughly, as well, including the price. This was my first time doing a big move like this on my own, so as nerve-racking as it was, they were wonderful. And since I wasn't in my place, they knew I had a time to keep my stuff in storage for the month. We had that arranged and it worked out perfectly.

The moving team was fantastic. When they got delayed in Massachusetts, they asked if it would be okay to come the next morning and I agreed. They let me know ahead of time that they had issues with a different move. Also, they were thorough when they arrived. I do not plan to move again, but if I do, I will use American Van Lines.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

American Van Lines' coordinator, Renee, was great and helpful. I like her and our interaction was positive. She provided me with a lot of good information and gave it to me in whole and had an accurate quote on what to expect. On the day the crew came to pick up everything from my house, two guys were awesome. But one of the guys didn't want to talk, even when I was friendly. Towards the end of the time that they were there, we still had stuff in our attic. I mentioned that to them, but they said that they were done and they left. My husband and I just dealt with it and it was a little frustrating. We ended up spending 12 hours moving stuff. We moved an hour away and the things that could be taken out from the attic and put in the trunk could have been handled quickly.

During delivery, I couldn't tip the delivery crew because the bank was so far away, so I offered to buy them lunch for $75 as tip. However, they were frustrated about that. The lead guy came back and had gotten one of our heaviest piece of furniture into one of the bedrooms. He asked me if I wanted him to move it up against the wall and I told him yes. I ran out, grabbed something and came back. That was when I saw the furniture was turned upside down. I still have heavy furniture that I can’t move by myself turned upside down. We ended up taking care of it ourselves.

American Van Lines expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

American Van Lines is a local, commercial and long distance mover that is also a family-owned business. They are headquartered in Pompano Beach, FL, and can help with moving nationwide.

• Local moving: The company does a lot of local, residential and commercial moves. These moves are within short distances and the cost is affordable.

• Corporate: They have a team of moving specialists that help with corporate moves and are capable of moving entire companies.

• Military moving: American Van Lines understands the needs of military moves, which require comprehensive planning and strict deadlines.

• Visa and immigration services: American Van Lines can help customers obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and other paperwork.

• Storage: The company also offers storage facilities to help companies and families safely store their belongings while they are in the process of changing locations.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

American Van Lines Company Information