4.34/5

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Van Lines provides long-distance moves for individuals and businesses. AVL requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it’s worth it for the large fleet of shock-proof vehicles that protect the integrity of your belongings.

PROS

• Flat rate pricing
  • Easy booking process
  • Free quote

CONS

• Some weight limits apply
  • Deposit required

Top American Van Lines Reviews

The packers were excellent! They put blankets on your furniture then shrink wrap it. That is all furniture! They took real good care of my stuff that I could see because it was placed in storage. They stayed in contact from start to finish they did not complain about anything and were very polite!

They delivered on time and nothing was damaged. Their customer service was easily reachable and they helped me with my questions. Good experience in my opinion and I would therefore recommend American Van Lines.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

Local movingLong distance movingInternational moving
Full packing and crating services
Multiple delivery options
Flat-rate pricing system

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, American Van Lines can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post can be a tall order. It needs comprehensive planning, has strict deadlines and requires some budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: Relocating business offices, stores, factories, banks, schools, libraries and other commercial establishments is an enormous challenge. AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: American Van lines is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
  • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Initially, I was working with a company called Purple Heart Movers which is a third party broker. I learned a really hard lesson trying to work with them. They showed up at my house and tried to say that the size of my load had doubled and it had not changed at all. I put a halt to the process at that point. Eventually, I talked to American Van Lines and they provided me a quote. The guy who gave me the quote referred me to a guy on American Van Lines' operations team and we planned the move on the spot in front of the other movers. That was a person that understood my predicament and worked out an instant plan in 20 minutes. He helped me out of an incredible jam. Three days later my stuff was picked up very easily with a great team and it was on its way to Utah.

The delivery went super smoothly. The crew was funny and friendly. The guys that showed up in North Carolina were doing the happy dance when they saw that everything was already staged in the garage and that they didn't have to walk up any stairs. They got 537 cubic feet of stuff out of my place. The move was delayed by a couple of days versus our original schedule but that wasn't a big deal. Also, there was small damage to a bike seat which was ripped. I've been reimbursed for it and everything was taken care of. I was thrilled with the way American Van Lines did my move.

I knew I probably paid a little bit more because of the timing being so close. But when people are moving, they're held over a barrel. That's why the other company thought they could take advantage of me because people usually have places to go, have flights to catch, or have closings to go to. I wasn't gonna play that game. American Van Lines guys bailed me out. I have a broken neck so I couldn't help their guys out. The guys on both ends were really helpful and they were able to do stuff that I would have helped them to do. I had a really good experience with this company and I would recommend them to anybody.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I was moving from Florida to Iowa and went with American Van Lines. However, the process had a tendency to get confusing as to who was who and who did what. While all their reps seemed to be fine, I would talk to one person and they would transfer me to somebody else. I didn't like the huge window of when the move could happen. Also, American Van Lines gave me really short notice when I thought there would be more notice in that huge window. I had wanted to be picked up last and delivered last -- because we were in Florida and we were selling a house, and we wanted to be sure we had time to get the things picked up. Instead,

they picked us up last and immediately went to Iowa. Because we had to fly home, that made it kinda tough. That's weighing in the favor of American Van Lines to where they keep all their flexibility but they eliminate a lot of their customer’s flexibility. That time, I had already bought our airline tickets and hotel rooms.

We had a remodel going on in Spirit Lake and the flooring just barely got in under the wire because they delivered it three days after they picked it up. It gave me leverage on the people getting the flooring done. American Van Lines could be a little more customer-friendly in terms of giving us more notice. I have a hard time believing that they figured things out the day they told me the move was gonna be three days 'cause they had to notify all the other people.

Even so, we’re glad the move happened the way it did. During the move, the crew was very good. The people who packed my things and traveled with the driver are different people and so were the guys who unpacked. The driver was the same. He found an issue during the move which was a stand which was a stand for an outdoor umbrella on which a plastic piece broke. Overall, we had a good experience with American Van Lines. Going with them worked out well for us.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I googled moving companies and opted for American Van Lines because when I called and talked to their rep that set it all up for me, I was really impressed with her professionalism and her desire to make the transaction easy for us. We've been in our house for 36 years, and we had a lot of stuff. The driver was scheduled for another stop, but we totally filled the truck so he told them he would not put anything else on the truck. So, the planned weight was way short. It cost more money than what we planned on, but I knew we were gonna have more weight.

I also had trouble getting through to the customer service person once and then I called back to the person that set everything up for us. She got through to them and they called me right back. And we got what we needed. There was just some damage to our stuff, and part of that has been handled. I paid extra $85 to have a washer and dryer in there, and things were put on top of it. The dryer had some dents in it. It was a brand-new dryer, which I had for less than a month. When I talked to them, I got a refund on the $85 for each item because there were things stacked on it. Truthfully, I don’t think they would have been able to get everything in there if they hadn’t. And then, one of my sleigh beds got some things on it.

But if you compare it to what they were moving and how hard they had to work at it, it was a minor compared to what it could have been, what other nightmares I've heard about moving. The highlight of the whole thing is that the crew was excellent. They really did a good job. Both the crew that loaded and the crew that unloaded were excellent subcontractors. It was a lot of work but they stayed on the job and got my stuff loaded in one day.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I was moving to Florida and I asked my daughter to help me find a moving company. She found American Van Lines that was based in Florida and we thought that it would work out well because the drivers and the workers will end up back at their home base. Their price was fair because they charge by the weight. I had three workers. One was the driver, but he had to help load also. And then the other two were doing most of the work. The driver did most of the paperwork. But they all worked very hard. I was called by one of the representatives at American Van Lines while they were helping me and loading the truck, to see if they were doing a good job. I told him they were doing a good job and he said I have their best crew, which I was glad to hear. They were very careful with my belongings. I had no damage. They packed it up and then they drove to Florida.

When they came to Florida, they put everything where I asked them to. They put things together that they had had to take apart, like the legs off of tables. I have some glass top tables and they were careful about that. I also have two china cabinets that have glass shelves in them and they very carefully put all the shelves in. They were really good workers, and very thorough. It didn't seem like they were rushed or they were trying to get done in a hurry.

I had a couple of broken dishes, but it was no big deal. Everything was wonderful. My only problem was that it took three weeks for them to deliver my furniture. I had thought it would be faster than that. From my house in Arizona, I was told that they went to California, and then they went to Texas. But then, they had to wait for some time for some person in Texas to pay them. And then eventually, they were able to get to Florida. I had to sleep on a cot while I waited and it was uncomfortable for me. I just kept thinking any minute, they would show up. When they got here, they were efficient, extremely courteous and very capable. If I have to move again, I would use American Van Lines and I would recommend them to people that I knew were moving.

Original review: April 20, 2019

My son was moving out to Orlando from Dallas and at the time, I was trying to evaluate whether it was worth it to pay for professional movers or do it ourselves with the U-Haul. Dory, American Van Lines' rep, was able to offer a service wherein the cost was by the pound. I itemized the list and the rep gave me an allotment of boxes by the size. We were then able to get our son packed up. Also, I didn’t have to load it and drive a U-Haul truck myself. That worked out really well for us. I was also impressed with how Dory was able to make that work and within our budget.

However, the moving coordinator didn't live up to the excellence that we had with the rep. We didn't feel like her communication was timely enough. She said she would let me know about the move by a certain day or time. But then, she dropped the ball and didn't call. The date range was one of the hang-ups I was having at the time because our son had to get out of the dorms and I didn't wanna stay in a hotel longer than we had to see the items. There was a day when we thought their mover was coming but then the coordinator called me back and told me that they couldn't do it. Though we got the job done with her, it wasn't at the level of excellence that I expected given our encounter with Dory. Despite that miscommunication, the mover worked hard and got the move done the second day thereafter.

The way their movers loaded up my son's things looked very unorganized from the perspective of someone who's a type A control freak. Their mover pulled out other people's stuff out of the truck and had those things all over my driveway. At the time, I hoped that if they had three or four stops in between, that the driver would not be pulling out our stuff onto somebody else's driveway. Still, he obviously knew what he was doing.

American Van Lines people loaded, delivered and unloaded the boxes. The crew was good and the guy's skill level was fantastic. They thought they'd have to offload to a satellite truck because the driver had a big semi-truck and he couldn't maneuver that at the Orlando location. Instead, he was able to back the semi-truck at an angle that was like putting a square peg in a round hole.

We have a move coming up and I'll be calling Dory again to see what she can do for us. For a normal person, working with American Van Lines is a worry-free experience. Their coordinator gave a two-week window and the timing was good. Everything turned out great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I moved from one end of the state to the other using American Van Lines and it went quite well. It was important for me not to go over the estimate that had been given and I know the movers couldn't tell me anything until they weighed the truck, but in their professional opinion of how much they've seen, they kept me informed if I was on target. And I came under the quote.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

After doing research and reviewing multiple quotes, we signed a contract with American Van Lines in early November to move us from Minneapolis to Seattle on Dec 2, 3, or 4. We paid a 50% deposit, about $3500. We were in regular communication with AVL and did everything they asked of us, including providing an updated detailed inventory to them the day after Thanksgiving, three days before the first day of the pickup window. They sent an updated estimate that day, which I promptly signed and returned. They repeated that they would tell us the pickup date the following day, Saturday Nov 30. Saturday afternoon came and no call. I called them repeatedly with no answer, left voice mail with my contact, sent emails, and tried to reach them by Twitter.

On Sunday Dec 1, still no communication, but they could come the next day so I put up NO PARKING signs on my street and we completed our packing and preparations. On Monday morning, the first day of the three day pick up window, I called them first thing. They informed me then, ALREADY IN THE PICKUP WINDOW, that they had not been able to schedule a truck yet but were "working on it" and "would get back to me later that day." They did not call back. I called them that afternoon and was told there still was not a truck but that they were working on it, and to call back Tuesday morning. They asked if we had any flexibility in our move date and, by totally reworking our planned travel schedule, we were able to be available Thursday's. They said they'd keep working on it.

On Tuesday morning when I called, no truck. Did we have EVEN MORE flexibility? If we really stretched, I replied, we could do Friday morning. On Tuesday afternoon, no truck available. On Wednesday, they finally told me they could not schedule a truck and would give us a refund. I spoke with the manager, Sam, who said the soonest they could move us was the second week of January, FOUR WEEKS LATER. Meanwhile, my job begins in Seattle on Monday Dec 9 and my kids need to start school. We can't sit around our completely packed house waiting for movers who will never come, but that's what we did for three days while they strung us along.

I am now in Seattle. I have no idea when or how our stuff is getting moved. I am beyond furious. Moving company highly rated by Consumer Reports and other review sites, large business that absolutely should be able to find a truck, supposed to have good customer service and logistics. We are going to be out thousands of dollars for a flight back to supervise the move, whenever it happens, and for furniture/kitchen stuff/clothes to replace, temporarily, what is still sitting in MN. To say nothing of the security risk of having all our stuff in an unoccupied house while we straighten this mess out two weeks before Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

I received a postcard from American Van Lines and they gave me the better price. I worked with their rep, Divine, and she was very nice. She was also very honest and she made the transition to the movers very good. My actual moving experience was great as well. The people that came were very nice and very educated.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

American Van Lines (AVL) from Pompano Beach, Florida did my move from Virginia to Georgia. I had requested quotes from quite a few movers. AVL got me a quote based on weight that helped me plan my items better. It also gave me greater control, even though it was a non-binding quote.

1) The move was done by AVL team wearing AVL shirts (easy to do) and also driving an AVL truck.
2) The crew of William, Tony and Chris from Greensboro were professional, courteous, good demeanor and positive. They initially thought that the weight was much higher causing some hiccups. However after a more detailed walk through, they agreed to my weight estimation. We still had to sign an higher estimate quote, but came under the original weight.

3) I reached out to the Vice President for flexibility on delivery and they responded to it positively. I also got a call from AVL indicating that they were looking into it.

Once I fixed on AVL, I let other movers know about my decision. Quite a few of them told me that AVL is the worst of the worse, really terrible broker and not deliver. None of this came out true in my move. One of the main reasons for selecting AVL was that they are responsive on consumer affairs. The sales rep informed me that they do thousands of move, and it's natural not everything goes perfect. When my hiccup occurred, the sales rep did inform me that he's locked out of the file. Overall, my move went well due to the good crew as well as the responsive nature of the AVL management.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I am satisfied with American Van Lines despite there being a lot of waiting. The people behind the services are good, especially Charles, the one who accepted my call for the first time. He was so nice. Upon talking to Charles, I was satisfied and I felt confident. The crew members that picked up and packaged the stuff were really nice too. If there was a friend who wanted to move, I would definitely recommend the three of them. The people who picked the stuff up from the storage and transported it here to California were also nice. American Van Lines has people that are really responsible and can be depended on.

American Van Lines FAQ

Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?

American Van Lines accommodates moving services during weekends with no extra fees, provided they are done during regular working hours. However, loading, transport and unloading services rendered after normal working hours are subject to overtime fees.

Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?

American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that fall under the prohibited items, such as hazardous materials, deadly weapons and illegal drugs. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Do we recommend American Van Lines?

American Van Lines specializes in a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. AVL’s state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. American Van Lines’ reviews indicate that more than 80% of verified customers had a good experience with the company in the last year. About 17% of verified American Van Lines moving reviews reported some dissatisfaction. As with many big moving companies, common American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. Pricing is a consideration, but if you shop around for the best state-to-state moving services, you’ll find that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice.

American Van Lines Company Information