Pompano Beach, FL

2.0/5 (46 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About American Van Lines

American Van Lines provides local and long-distance relocation services for residential and commercial clients. It offers partial and full packing and crating services and is able to transport specialty and high-value items. American Van Lines is family-owned and -operated and has been in business since 1995.

Find Moving Companies near you

Pros

• Easy booking process
    • Storage options available
    • Flat-rate pricing system

Cons

• Some weight limits apply
    • No immediate online quotes

Bottom Line

American Van Lines’ state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. The company requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it might be worth it for the large fleet of shockproof vehicles.

Top American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Verified

American Van Lines did a marvelous job. The gentleman, the quality assurance folks and the rep who was on top of everything communicated very well. The transport took about a week...

Verified

... Everything was right on and the two men that came out to do the move worked and did everything. Not one thing in all my household goods was broken. I had 128 boxes plus the fu...

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, AVL can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
    • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post takes comprehensive planning and budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
    • Business moving: AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
    • Storage facilities: AVL is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
    • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
    • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines costs

Pricing can vary greatly, depending on your location and the services requested. Hourly rates can start between $25 and $35 for shorter moves. Long-distance haul prices are estimated as flat rates. At the time of publishing, American Van Lines offers the following starting rates for interstate moves:

Moving fromSmall apartment*Three-bedroom house**
    Los Angeles to Atlanta$4,549$13,110
    New York to Austin, Texas$4,096$8,764
    Dallas to Denver$3,022$6,191
    Miami to Los Angeles$5,227$11,327
    Houston to Chicago$3,429$7,095

* Based on average shipments for a one-bedroom apartment (4,000 pounds).

** Based on average shipments for a three-bedroom house (10,000 pounds).

American Van Lines FAQ

Are American Van Lines costs negotiable?
    According to reviews, some customers have been able to negotiate a lower rate. American Van Lines also offers to match prices if you find a lower cost through another mover.
    Is American Van Lines a broker or a carrier?
    American Van Lines is registered as a carrier with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. It has 15 trucks, 51 trailers and 39 tractors in its fleet, according to the FMCSA.
    Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?
    Yes, American Van Lines can accommodate moving dates during weekends. It charges no extra fees for this service.
    Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?
    American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that are prohibited. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Is American Van Lines a good moving company?

We recommend considering American Van Lines for long-distance and cross-country moves. The company provides a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. As with many big moving companies, some American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. However, it has good customer ratings overall.

American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: May 14, 2022

The two men who did the move were very nice, professional, clean and careful with our stuff. They put everything where we wanted it and it was very nice from that standpoint. American Van Lines did a great job. But they didn’t have a scheduled day to pick up. They gave a window of three days, which leaves you in the lurch trying to figure everything out. It was the same with the delivery. We had no idea when they were going to deliver, except that they would call. They did and said they would be here the next day. I understand that they cannot get an exact date but at least on the pickup, they could give you a closer date. But it is what it is. You live with what they give you. You don't have a choice of date. .

There was more money than they quoted but we had more things than we expected, too. So that was fine. We got moved. The only problem is they broke some things. The antique table that was broken was rather expensive but since we didn't shake that kind of insurance on it, it was by the pound and it would have only been a couple of dollars. It wasn't worth going through the effort so we didn’t.

Original review: March 28, 2022

Excellent service! From the beginning with the sales through the delivery, everything was very professional and smooth. The initial agent walked us through each room to get an idea of the large pieces and estimated weight. The binding estimate they provided was pretty accurate. A week before our scheduled pack date we had additional conversations with one of the moving coordinators and were able to refine our inventory and estimate even more. In the end, they were right in line with the estimate.

The more precise you can get with your inventory, the closer they can get the estimate. Even better, they did NOT increase rates because the cost of fuel was going up! Additionally, we really appreciate the fact that the driver is an employee of American Van Lines instead of a sub-contractor. We heard lots of horror stories from people who have used other moving companies (like last-minute cancellations, price gouging, etc), but we didn't have any issues with American Van Lines!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Our house was being built in Minnesota and we lived elsewhere. We have a cabin up in Northern Minnesota, so we were there until our house was all finished. They were trying to coordinate things. We told them when our closing was going to be months before the actual closing but we still had two weeks after the closing that we waited for the delivery. We thought we gave them a lot of notice, but I don't know the process that they went through.

The movers were very cordial and seemed to be careful. But we've had several things that were broken. We had some damage to a baby grand piano that went to my daughter and she said that it’s not a big deal because it faces the wall. Also, one of our legs on our gorgeous dining room table was broken right off. The leg was taped to one of the chairs and nobody told me about it. I discovered it myself. Melissa from American Van Lines said she was going to send me a claim form online but I've never received it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I was originally gonna go with PODS, but as time went on, we started figuring out there would be more and more problems just because of where I was moving. It wasn't going to be doable. At that point, it was almost time for me to go, so I panicked, and American Van Lines was the cheapest one that didn't immediately hang up on me after the second time I called back. Everyone I talked to was cool, very helpful, and let me know when anything changed as soon as they got the chance, so they’re very good at communicating.

The moving crew was in and out in less than an hour both times. And the driver called me anytime. They broke down so he let me know there would be a little delay. He called me a day before they were supposed to be there to let me know, on top of the coordinator from the company also calling me. A couple of things ended up damaged. I had a book case that got messed up. American Van Lines did offer a money back but I just figured I was gonna get a new one anyway, so it’s no big deal.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

If you're reading this review, you've probably already read a bunch of reviews that made you nervous about the moving process. However, my experience was super smooth! Came on the first day of the 3 day window. My things arrived in 6 days (moved from NYC to TX). Movers on both ends were super nice, which was a pleasant surprise. They arrived on time on both ends. My things are in storage, but so far everything looks good. Price remained the same.

My only complaint is that the movers came earlier than I expected - I never got an email saying they were coming the day they did. They did call the day before and ask me to confirm the inventory list, but I definitely did not hear her say a date and time of arrival. I will, however, admit that I was super distracted because I had a meeting that had just started so I rushed off the phone with her. I was 90% ready when the movers arrived and they were super nice about me being not all the way ready, so all is forgiven there.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

Every negative review you read is spot on and we all share similar experiences with this terrible terrible company. There’s no communication, no accountability, and not even an iota of customer service. I'm not going to tell my entire story as it’s basically the exact same as those who’ve shared theirs, but please take your business elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I hired American Van Lines because they gave me a competitive quote. I asked multiple times how accurate their quotes were and was reassured they were spot on. I also asked what could cause the price to change, specifically if I only listed 100 boxes and ended up with 110, how would that affect my costs. I was told not to worry about just a few boxes over, it would be no big deal. The day before the movers arrived, I received a call from American Van lines that they did not have a truck or employees for our move and we were being outsourced to a sister company for pick up. The new company would bring our belongings to American Van lines and they would do the rest of the move.

Pick up day was Christmas eve and I was not able to watch their every step. The first thing Igor did was a walk around to assess our property. He said it looked like I was a couple items over and he would have to send me a new contract. The price on the new contract was significantly higher than my estimate, but I was repeatedly told by Igor to ignore it because it would go back down when American Van lines took possession of my items. I was also told that they would not move anything until I signed the new contract. Based on my previous conversations with American Van lines and the fact that I was backed into a corner and needed my stuff to be moved that day, I signed the new contract.

A few days later, I was finally able to sit down and go through the new contract I was sent. There was a whole section label "additional household items", but most of the things listed, I didn't even own. I spoke to my moving coordinator Niyah and explained the discrepancies I had found. She said since I signed there was nothing she could do. I explained the situation I was put through on moving day and the information I was given during multiple conversations I had had with American Van lines prior to move. She kept repeating that there was nothing she could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told no one was available.

Niyah, sent me the itemized list of what was put on the truck. I pointed out that the additional items I supposedly had were not present on my list of possessions that went into the truck. At this point some other woman got on the phone claiming that she was a supervisor and had been listening to our conversation the whole time. Weird. Anyways, she was the first person, 5 days after they had possession of everything I own, to tell me that I was in a contract for a specific number of items to move and if I exceeded that number even by a pencil, American Van lines could void our original estimate and charge me by weight. This was never told to me in all the conversations I had with American Van lines about would could possible affect my final balance.

She also reiterated that since I had signed the new contract, I owed the new price. I told her that I only signed the new contract because Igor and his crew were refusing to move anything until I signed it and I needed my stuff out. I wasn't given any other option, but to sign it or not get moved. This is when she told me that wasn't true, but that they still would've had to move all my possessions on my original estimate if I had refuse to sign the new paperwork. I told her that was really important information for me to have and no one from her company told me, not even when I received the call that I was being outsourced to another company. I would think they'd want their customers to have all the information needed for a smooth transition of companies.

I asked to speak to a manager above her and was told no one was available. I asked that someone call me back as soon as possible. No one called me back. My stuff was supposed to have arrived on Jan 3 at the latest. At 430 on Jan 2, I received a call that my stuff was delayed and I would be called again tomorrow. It wasn't until we called on Jan 5th and demanded that we know where our stuff was and when it would be delivered that we finally started getting answers, only they weren't from American Van lines. Unlike what we were repeatedly told, American Van lines never took possession of our items, their sister company was doing our entire move!

They finally arrived Jan. 7th, four days late. The driver demanded we pay the full amount of the falsified estimate. I told them that I only had what I had originally agreed to with American Van lines. It was a $4000 difference in price. They refused to deliver our stuff. The cops came and told them they should accept the agreed upon amount, deliver our stuff and let us finish the dispute with the company. They again refused. Our stuff was not delivered.

On Jan 9th, I received a call from American Van lines customer service manager, Ken. His compromise for the situation was that we pay the full amount upfront and if they found discrepancies, they would issue me a refund later. I told him that their company should front the difference and if later on they found discrepancies they could charge me. He said they could not do that. I told him that I did not have an extra $4000 laying around and couldn't pay them even if I wanted to and the fact that they are holding hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of my goods for $4000 was extremely off balance.

This is when he informed me that due to our stuff not being delivered, it was being stored for a fee of over $6000! I told him I would be seeking legal counsel and I'm in the process of doing that. Refusing to temporarily take a $4000 loss until issues were settled, but then turning around and spending over $6000 on storing my possessions sounds like really bad math to me. They currently have everything I own and are holding it as collateral to force me to pay what they want.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Moving is very stressful. Do yourself a favor and do not use American Van lines for your next move. Look elsewhere, this is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. They failed to inform my movers that I needed to be packed. The movers were surprised when they showed up and found out I had paid for full packing. This caused issues as many items were not properly packed, see below for more on that...

I asked the company not to deliver on a specific date because I was out of town. They initially said this wouldn't be a problem to accommodate. However, They moved dates four times, each time cancelling with hours to spare or even during the moving window. Eventually, they wanted to schedule the delivery on dates that I was not available. They had zero flexibility on this, suggesting either I pay thousands for storage or I assign power of attorney to the manager of my storage unit (a stranger essentially) to accept delivery.

I expressed dissatisfaction and they offered me $200 dollars in "compensation". Keep in mind I am paying close to $7,000 for this move. The pitiful compensation offer came with strings attached and they would only offer it if I agreed to terms that would prevent me from suing them if my move was delayed and/or my items were damaged. The compensation agreement stated that I would only be able to seek damages via a claim to their company. At this stage I had not even received my items, let alone determined if they were damaged, so I rejected their compensation agreement.

Ultimately, I was able to find someone to accept delivery on my behalf and they cancelled again. This time it was the last day of the contracted delivery window. Day of delivery the driver decided he could not deliver with his 18 wheeler, despite not even visiting the property. The property regularly fits 18 wheelers and has space to turn the truck around. The customer service made no attempts to call the property and confirm, instead requiring I pay an additional $635 dollars or risk paying thousands of more dollars for them to hold my items in storage. Driver also tells my contact not to show up at the delivery. I tell my contact to show up and supervise the delivery. Turns out that my most expensive items were destroyed and one didn't even make it onto the truck. If we hadn't shown up, I don't believe we would have learned of our damaged items

LESSONS LEARNED. Do not agree to delivery dates that you cannot attend to (my fault) because they will make no effort to accommodate your schedule. Instead, clear your calendar for the entire window and expect to be inconvenienced multiple times. They will only compensate your items at $0.60 per pound. Think about that... Their compensation for inconveniences is not a refund, it is an agreement that prevents you from seeking damages in small claims court. Their customer service is terrible. There is no service to the customer. They have clearly structured their customer service program to protect or increasing the company's revenue.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

I employed American Van Lines because of the reviews I had seen. I should have known when I saw them packing my home, very unprofessional. Evidently only the driver works for them, they (the driver) calls people to help from the local area. The driver had only 2/3 of the packing supplies needed for our home, plastic bottles were wrapped with 5 sheets of paper while glass lamp shades were thrown in a box with its base.

We were told one day for arrival at the new home, they were there the next day. Before this things were strange but now, it gets worse. In the dead of night the driver calls and I have to go get him, cold and raining. We spend the next hour and a half scoping out his route because he does not think he can get his truck in to where I live now. Well he decides he can't do it so we will have to "shuttle" the load. Well, ok I guess we need to do what we need to. I get a call the next day saying if I do not pay over $2600 dollars for a U-haul rental I will not receive my possessions. Well, ok...I guess they need to pay for numerous people to help shuttle my things between the 18 wheeler and the u-haul and into my home....wrong.

The driver informs me that he can't find anyone to help him so his 22 year old nephew and him were going to do the entire load themselves. (You already know how this is going to turn out without me saying anything, and just so you know....you are right.) The driver never calls to let me know when he is coming, tells me he will be here at 7am and shows up at 4pm (evidently he had to deal with the police being called on him so he had to move his truck and other issues). So, it's cold, they are not dressed for the cold, the first time they pull up with the U-haul and open the doors I can't believe my eyes, stacks of boxes turn over, furniture not covered and just thrown in, chairs impaled into boxes.

Well, "In order to expedite this moving process (He only had the u-haul rental for the day), we will just put all your stuff in the garage and another room". He did, however try to put some things inside the home. I started helping because it was just him (The Driver) and his nephew...I swear I unloaded half the truck. After the third load we were done with the u-haul....He had to get on the road for another job in another state 8 hours away so he rushed through trying to get some things done. Well our leather chairs fell apart when we sat in them....In the middle of the night our mattress fell to the floor with us on it (stop laughing, it's true). All major furniture was damaged, things were broken.

In trying to get with the company, they will not talk to me...When I do finally talk to my "Customer Service Rep" I get lip service and no results. They will try to get someone else to my home to put up all the things left in my garage and back room, but no results days later. I am having to haul furniture, boxes, things through the home to where they go now when they were contracted to do so. I will file insurance, yes, but how do you think that will go? Do Not hire this company. They got my money then dropped me with a home full of damaged furniture and torn apart boxes I have to move myself.

David

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

AVL will give you a low-ball "Binding Estimate", but on move day, they will void the contract and come up with a NEW price. Keep reading for details. So, my mother was working directly with a sales person for months at AVL (James **) and he instructed her to send him a list of items in the home. She asked him if he was planning to send an estimator to do a walkthrough in the house and he said that "they don't do that". She asked if he wanted photos sent and he said "not necessary". So she sent a list of the big items in the home, mostly furniture, and he said this was sufficient and gave her a quote. He explained that the Binding Estimate is the final price, it would not change with weight or number of boxes. We were locked in. So we thought.

Moving week arrived and we were given a 3-day window when we should expect the truck to arrive. It never did. It's very difficult to get ahold of anybody who can actually help you at AVL but we finally spoke to Rita who manages the dispatch. Rita explained that they didn't have a truck and the NEW date is two days from now. We were selling the home so now in violation of escrow but luckily worked with the agent and buyer to give us two more days. Rita also promised a $100 credit per "day late" but of course we were never given that credit. We thought the worst was over but not even close.

Moving day arrived and the truck was on time. The moving manager spent two hours walking through the home writing a detailed list of every small item in the home. He said that he was going to send this list to AVL and they would send us a "revised estimate". Really? What happened to our BINDING guarantee? Liz ** called from AVL and (surprise surprise) has a NEW PRICE due to all the small items they failed to ask for during the initial bid. Things like a coffee maker, dishes, a small box fan, garden tools... just things you would expect a home to have. We were NEVER told that they needed this level of detail.

So, here we are, already past the escrow date and we absolutely have to be moved today, and Liz gives us a price that is MORE THAN DOUBLE the original "binding estimate". After quite a bit of arguing Liz stated that "We can honor the original binding contract but we will only move the items listed on that contract. But if you want everything moved, you have to sign the new (double price) contract. Choice is yours." And that's the scam. They had us up against the wall, with really no choice but to accept this new price, which could be anything they want.

In my opinion, AVL has very suspect practices. I can't say for sure that AVL planned this all along, or that they never intended to honor the original contract, but that's how it seems to me. James could be incredible, incompetent, or just very crafty. He's a sales guy who landed a contract and ended up doubling his sales on moving day. Worked out great for James while they emptied out my mother's savings account. I wish there was a law that protected consumers when they are at their most vulnerable. AVL took full advantage of the situation. I could never recommend this company. The entire moving experience was an absolute nightmare and cost us a fortune.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

American Van Lines Company Information

1995
        1351 NW 22nd Street
        Pompano Beach
        FL
        Fax:
        www.americanvanlines.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: