Get a Quote

2. Movers

Pompano Beach, FL

3.8/5 (104 ratings)

About American Van Lines

American Van Lines provides local and long-distance relocation services for residential and commercial clients. It offers partial and full packing and crating services and is able to transport specialty and high-value items. American Van Lines is family-owned and -operated and has been in business since 1995.

Pros

• Easy booking process
    • Storage options available
    • Flat-rate pricing system

Cons

• Some weight limits apply
    • No immediate online quotes

Bottom Line

American Van Lines’ state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. The company requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it might be worth it for the large fleet of shockproof vehicles.

Top American Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

American Van Lines did a marvelous job. The gentleman, the quality assurance folks and the rep who was on top of everything communicated very well. The transport took about a week...

Verified

... Everything was right on and the two men that came out to do the move worked and did everything. Not one thing in all my household goods was broken. I had 128 boxes plus the fu...

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, AVL can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
    • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post takes comprehensive planning and budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
    • Business moving: AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
    • Storage facilities: AVL is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
    • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
    • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines costs

Pricing can vary greatly, depending on your location and the services requested. Hourly rates can start between $25 and $35 for shorter moves. Long-distance haul prices are estimated as flat rates. At the time of publishing, American Van Lines offers the following starting rates for interstate moves:

Moving fromSmall apartment*Three-bedroom house**
    Los Angeles to Atlanta$4,549$13,110
    New York to Austin, Texas$4,096$8,764
    Dallas to Denver$3,022$6,191
    Miami to Los Angeles$5,227$11,327
    Houston to Chicago$3,429$7,095

* Based on average shipments for a one-bedroom apartment (4,000 pounds).

** Based on average shipments for a three-bedroom house (10,000 pounds).

American Van Lines FAQ

Are American Van Lines costs negotiable?
    According to reviews, some customers have been able to negotiate a lower rate. American Van Lines also offers to match prices if you find a lower cost through another mover.
    Is American Van Lines a broker or a carrier?
    American Van Lines is registered as a carrier with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. It has 15 trucks, 51 trailers and 39 tractors in its fleet, according to the FMCSA.
    Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?
    Yes, American Van Lines can accommodate moving dates during weekends. It charges no extra fees for this service.
    Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?
    American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that are prohibited. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Is American Van Lines a good moving company?

We recommend considering American Van Lines for long-distance and cross-country moves. The company provides a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. As with many big moving companies, some American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. However, it has good customer ratings overall.

American Van Lines Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: May 6, 2021

The representatives at American Van Lines were all really good. We didn't have any issues. When they pack everything up, they make you sign something. Then, when they deliver it, they say, "Okay. Is everything good?" But I didn't even see until I started putting stuff out that the marble on one of our big hutches was cracked. I had signed the paperwork and there was nothing I could do. It is what it is. It was kind of a rushed process to go and check everything that they've unwrapped or packed. I didn't like that everything's got to be signed on the spot. There are things that you don't see right away. The guys that came to the house were great. I understand things can move. My only feedback is a bit more preparation on the front side to eliminate damage on the back side.

When we moved from the UK about 20 years ago here, not a single thing got broken. Wine glasses were not broken. You fully expect on an international move for there to be some damage. So, I was a little upset that the marble's broken when we used American Van Lines. But the company was great. As for homeowners, you should just make sure to watch things happening without getting in the movers way. I'm not blaming them. Things happen. They were caring, considerate and very courteous.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

American Van Lines was a little cheaper in price and the rep who helped me was great. She worked well with me. I had a great moving crew as well, but I had one issue and I never reported it. The screen on my 52-inch TV was broken. I didn't know when I signed off on the paperwork that if you sign off, then everything was okay. I would still recommend the company though. It was just a mishap. I had a lot of stuff and I really wanted to get moved. I should have made sure that the TV was packaged a little more secure. TVs are very delicate and I had three TVs, so what I should have done is made sure that they boxed the 50-inch TV the same way they boxed the 70-inch TV.

They wrapped the 70-inch different than they wrapped the 52-inch TV. They put the cardboard protectors over each side and wrapped the 70-inch TV, but they just used the blanket on the 52-inch TV. I also got something through my email about a bill for $250, but I don't have a storage with them and I'm a little upset. However, I bought another property and I'm still gonna use American Van Lines when I move into my house in June. I'll know for myself how I want things packed.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I did an internet search for American Van Lines. I watched the YouTube videos that they have. I decided to go ahead and use them when I moved from Las Vegas to North Carolina. I didn't have any problems at all, except when I got to North Carolina, a hurricane was coming. They delivered my furniture a day before the hurricane would hit. I was impressed with that. But I was having a problem when I first came back here, with getting coordinated to get my furniture. I could understand that because of COVID-19, it took about a month to get my furniture here. As far as the coordinator went, she was excellent. The people I spoke to were excellent too. They got back with me. I had to call a couple of times because I didn't hear anything. But once I spoke to them, they explained to me what was going on. They all did an excellent job.

The crew that moved me from Las Vegas to North Carolina did an excellent job. They inventoried my stuff. They went through with me with everything. Then the offloading went well. The crew that moved me from North Carolina back here to Las Vegas was excellent too. They wrapped up everything that I needed to be wrapped up. They protected everything that needed to be protected. They covered the carpeted floor. They put on their mask too. When I moved into this apartment, it's a wooden floor and they did the exact same thing. They were very nice people to talk to. If you want to make sure that all your possessions are going to be in safe hands, that they're going to be stored properly and that you're going to get everything that you sent for moving, then I would recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

I did five searches and every time, American Van Lines came up number one. So, I gave them a call and spoke with the representative that called me right back after I put in my little quote thing. They were very prompt, very responsive and they handled the move very well. We were closing on one house, but not closing on the others. Then, there was a holiday in-between. So, I needed some flexibility and they worked with me and gave me a few options on truck availability and type of truck that I could use and price points for each of those. I went with the one that suited me best. From the time I first called to the time we moved, it was about five weeks. So, I gave myself that much time at least to schedule the move. Then, I asked for a delay between dropping off the furniture so I could get the new house cleaned and they accommodated me.

We were moving to Florida. It was 95 to 105 degrees. I kept having to ask the guys every time they came in the house to put their masks on. My mom is 81 years old and high-risk and I didn't wanna take the possibility of having anything happen. So, my biggest downfall was their adherence. It was not so much the driver as it was the moving people that they hired at the pick-up and drop-off location.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I recently had a cross country move completed by American Van Lines in the midst of COVID-19. I am ashamed to say that I didn’t have the most flexible mindset throughout the process and reacted to the delays like it was carelessness on their part, which was 100% the wrong assumption. Prior to booking with American Van Lines, I had been scammed by two moving broker companies consecutively (don’t ever go through a broker!!!) and was out of my mind, desperate to get out of Phoenix, AZ. My car had already been transported back to Louisville, KY, everything was closed, and Arizona was a COVID hotspot, it was complete hell. Throughout the entire process however, from beginning to end, Toni ** (my moving agent) was my saving grace through this entire experience.

Toni was the one to take my initial call, and she could tell from the tone in my voice that I was in a desperate situation to get a quality move completed very soon. Toni exuded passion, intelligence and knowledge about every aspect of a long-distance move and was able to empathize with where I was mentally, in the horrible limbo of relocating. Toni spent over an hour with me taking detailed inventory of all of my belongings and furniture and made it her ultimate mission to have a successful pick up and delivery. The pick-up went beautifully, everything was packed, wrapped and protected so professionally. Despite a couple of delays with the delivery date, all of my furniture and belongings were delivered in pristine condition.

Toni has been active in communication with me through this entire experience and is one of the reasons I would rebook with American Van Lines again. I hope that her company’s CEO and VP know what an outstanding moving agent they have on their team because she saved my sanity throughout this entire process. If you are looking for a moving company, American Van Lines should be your number 1 choice. Make sure to ask for Toni to be your agent!

Original review: July 15, 2021

Fights, Firearms, Damages. American Van Lines has to be the least professional national moving company you can hire. We paid 13k for our move from El Paso TX to La Jolla CA and had a nightmare of an experience and the company could care less. Avoid them at all costs. Our driver got into a physical altercation with his hired helpers and then flashed a pistol he had on his belt in our home. His helpers abandoned the move halfway through leaving the American Van Lines driver to finish the job by himself, he then dragged our heavy expensive furniture across our travertine and cherry wood floors damaging both the floors and the furniture.

It didn't end there, the driver decided not to use the shuttle truck we paid $1,000 in advance for and got his semi trailer stuck in our yard destroying landscaping and lighting. He slept in his truck blocking the only in and out access to our home and since emailing and calling American Van Lines we have not heard back from their careless and unprofessional customer service department. If you care about your family's safety and the condition of your property please avoid this horrendous company. American Van Lines is what's wrong with American customer service today. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: July 14, 2021

Not knowing what time they were coming until the night before was very stressful, although I found that all the companies do that. Other than that, the actual movers were terrific. I was surprised to see the same movers in Texas when they dropped my stuff off and it was comforting.

Resolution response: July 13, 2021

Management reached out to me and we have come to an amicable resolve. Thank you Yesenia.

Original review: July 13, 2021

MOVER BEWARE - think twice before hiring American Van Lines!! The most stressful move ever - if you like a late pick up, chaos, lack of communication, frustration and unexpected expenses use American Van Lines. I chose American Van Lines for my long distance move from Arizona to Florida based on their "customer service" reviews. I realize COVID has made moving very difficult but communication is key. Customer Service and Communication from American Van Lines was almost non-existent, making for an extremely stressful move. They SELDOM answer their phone, even the customer service line. You have to leave a message in hopes they will call back. The only other call initiated by them was when they wanted payment - 2 calls at same time from them. You can never talk with a "manager". They just send you to another rep.

When I booked and paid my deposit to secure the dates, I told the booking agent my "drop dead had to be out date" as my house was sold. He gave me a 3 day window, promising they NEVER miss their window. They did call, as promised, about 3 days prior to get an updated inventory list and was told they would call about 24 hours prior to pick up to confirm the time. Here is where it goes wrong:

Having NOT heard from them, I started calling the first day at 845am - FINALLY talking with someone 3 hours later - when she casually informs me that "you are not scheduled to be picked up until the 21st" - the day AFTER the 3 day window! Did they not look at the Binding Estimate to see they missed the pickup window??? Why would they not call me immediately to inform me they were running late??? I FINALLY got a call back Fri evening to say it has now been pushed back to Wed - 3 days late now. Again, I explained my situation and their response was, "I am sorry. Don't you have someone that can be there?" There is a lot that goes on with a long distance move and the owner should be there overseeing it, not a friend.

The excuse was that the driver needed to get a "piece of paper" signed. (The piece of paper was signed on Friday, yet there was still a 4 day delay. On Monday she promised she would call me back to confirm the new pick up date and discuss compensation. She did - the new pick up date was now THURSDAY (4 days late) and compensation is, wait hold on, $30/day! I told her I also had the expense of a hotel room for 5 nights for the person who was going to meet the movers, since the house was packed up.

The driver was kind and courteous and caught in the middle, as was my friend who oversaw the move. For a long distance move it is best to have the owner there. I was told I could keep my clothes in the dressers and they would shrink wrap it to move. Much to my surprise, my clothes were packed into boxes (more charges). Again, I was not there to see what was happening. In summary, be prepared to be inconvenienced and aggravated. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR INVOICE - and all the packing charges. The bid is written one way and the invoice is written another - very confusing.

As for the "compensation" I should have received $120 for being 4 days late plus the hotel expense of $650 for 5 hotel nights. The total compensation should have been $770 but They have a cap of $500. So I GOT TO PAY an extra $270 for THEIR MISTAKE. They know they have you over a barrel so they don't truly care about customer service. American Van Lines is a very unprofessional company. Look for another moving company with a similar name.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I wanted to move a couple of items long distance and a lot of people didn't want to do it. Everybody was turned off by the piano. AVL was one of the few companies that said they would move it. The rep I worked with to set up the move was phenomenal and the driver and this other guy were amazing. Their truck died in front of my house after they loaded the few items up and they were really cool about it. They didn't stress and they just handled it. Also, they were extremely respectful and thoughtful. They're the best movers I ever had. I'm in the process of moving from Chicago to Florida and I'm going to have to do another move. I'm thinking I only want them.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Everything with AVL was first class. We were assigned someone that would keep our account straight. That changed a couple of different times as we got near our time to be packed. We had a full load as far as packing, loading, bringing our goods down, and unpacking and our driver, Joey, was outstanding. He did everything in a timely fashion. We got a little jammed up for time because of a stubborn person that was buying our home and he made it happen. It was great. Then, when we got down here, he did more work than the fellows that they hired to help him. The crew left at 5 o'clock and they left him alone. He was here working till about 8 o'clock at night. He was very dedicated and he’d be a fine representative.

American Van Lines Company Information