toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I recently moved my elderly mother from Florida to Texas. This was my first time using an interstate moving company, and I chose American Van Lines because of the positive reviews online. I was not disappointed. Victoria, my assigned customer service representative, was very pleasant and responsive to my questions. She kept me informed and encouraged me to call her if I had questions about anything. When I did so, she immediately responded. The driver and crew were very courteous and did a great job of carefully packing up Mother's furniture and possessions. The delivery was timely and the unpacking was done as carefully as the packing. Nothing was missing or broken and I couldn't be happier with this experience. I would definitely recommend American Van Lines to anyone who is looking for an interstate moving company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We recently moved from Missouri to Georgia with the help of American Van Lines. Everything went flawlessly from start to finish. Communication with our contact person provided all the necessary information from pick up to delivery. I can't say enough about our driver. Manny was so pleasant and helpful. He was determined to make our move as pleasant as possible. Manny was the difference!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Needed to have merchandise including grandfather clock shipped from OH to Florida. AVL did not disappoint. Our AVL coordinator, Victoria, stayed in close contact during the pre-shipment period and throughout a 9-day transit to FL. Shipment arrived a few hours beyond the projected delivery window, but all arrived in top-notch condition. FYI: AVL will not ship grandfather clocks unless they've been prepared for transport by a (clock) professional. Wise policy, for both shipper and owner. All in all, AVL is a very conscientious, professional company with courteous staff at all levels from advisors to crew. I would use again w/o hesitation.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Worked with Brian ** who did an outstanding job of coordinating my parents’ move to NJ. He gave us a fair estimate, based upon my reviews of other moving companies. The crew sent to pack and move my parents were very efficient and helpful. As was the crew that delivered the cartons to their new apartment. My overall assessment was one of excellence.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We first worked with Bob ** to set us up with our move from Ohio to Washington. He was great, delightful, and professional. Natalie was our coordinator and she did a great job keeping us informed. Our movers were Lawrence and Lee and they were a good team and made our adventure less worrisome. Everything worked out great. Everyone worked hard to make this a smooth move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Jerome ** and his crew were, without a doubt, the absolute best I have EVER worked with. They were superb in the loading. The unloading was unbelievable. The quality, caring, professionalism and respect were GREAT. By the end of the day, I felt like I was friends with all of them. I have recently had severe neck surgery and the gentlemen would bring the box to me (sitting on the sofa) on where it should go. Upstairs, shop or main floor? I never had to get up and go to them. This may sound insignificant to you, but when suffering terrible pain, it was the best thing in the world for me. My husband was not here yet from Colorado, so it was just me home. I cannot say enough good about this team, especially Jerome! If there was a 10 star rating, I would give them a 20 star review. Your home office staff are equally wonderful. With the personal phone calls and e-mails added quality to your wonderful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife and I could not be more pleased with how our move was handled by the driver Mr. Ricky ** or the team he used for both the pickup/truck loading and then the delivery and unloading. All concerned were very careful when packing articles that we had not already boxed. If we ever move again we will use American.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Excellent information. Move from one state to another on time with each stages. Everything was done in a professional manner. Victoria was a great organizer and kept informing me about all of arrivals times for pickup and delivery. Very pleased with this move. Very thankful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went online and talked to American Van Lines for a move. Immediately, they sent me the stuff over that I needed for moving. I was moving myself and I told them what I wanted. My moving coordinator was outstanding. I talked to her, she arranged everything and there was another person that was dropped down to make sure everything was fine.

I moved from Clayton, North Carolina down here to Ocean Isle which is about 160 miles. American Van Lines loaded my truck and these guys were in and out in under three and a half hours. American Van Lines is really good. They made sure everything was packed right and everything was covered. I've been moving since I've been in retail for 40 years and I get transferred every one to two years. For the first time, I didn't have any damage. I'd recommend them to anybody. As a matter of fact, my daughter is moving the first of the month and she's having the same company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The movers were very professional and very careful with our furniture. They were personable, and very hardworking. The entire experience starting with Jason ** and ending with Marcus was relatively stress-free considering it was moving. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We really appreciated the work that was done. The crew was one of the best I ever had the opportunity to have had performing a move for our family. No complaints at all, from the sell to the final delivery, kudos to the team!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were more than pleased with the two men who helped with our move. They arrived on time, worked quickly and carefully and were extremely willing to help in any way. We have made quite a few moves and this was the easiest and most professional by far. I would definitely use this company again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was very satisfied with all the people loading and unloading my stuff from my old house and in my new home. They worked with accurate and proper ability and they were very courteous and mostly very patient. I have no complaint whatsoever. They did an excellent job.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Movers showed up when promised and delivered in a timely manner. All furniture was wrapped in moving blankets and so far my belongings appear to have made a safe trip. Customer service follow-up call later on day of delivery. Having always moved myself, this move seems quite pricey, but it was worth the extra money and to have no back pain.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Customer service is superior. At every step of the process, Veronica called to make sure everything was satisfactory and explain next steps. Full disclosure of costs -- no hidden "surprises" at end. The team who did the actual hauling were wonderful -- very careful with handling things, kept in touch throughout the move so I knew when to expect them. Everything arrived as promised, no damage. All personnel were professional and helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Overall good experience. The only problem we had was that when we booked the move, we ordered two garment boxes, which did not come with the moving truck. Everyone was very nice and helpful, from booking to delivery of the our belongings. When booking the move, you are dealing with someone that is not local, so we did not get notified about a time for the move, from a local representative until I called the Friday before our Monday move. We did get an email and call soon after that. The two gentlemen that come to move us, Mike and "K", were wonderful to work with. They were careful with our belongings, and worked efficiently. Highly recommend these folks.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Movers came on time. Also called when they were close. Movers were polite. Showed up at forwarding address in a good time frame. Good experience. The customer service representative helped me work through a concern with the paperwork. She was very professional.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

American Van Lines did what they promised from the initial contact call through the different folks who handled our account/move. The company delivered on the promised pickup and delivery! We were quite pleased with the effort of Paul and Detrick and the follow-up from provided by Nathalie.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Moving from Plano, TX to Marshall, TX - Customer Service was outstanding and they bent over backwards to accommodate the scheduling changes we had to make concerning our move. Communication was top notch. The loading/unloading crew was outstanding. We couldn't ask for any better treatment all the way around from anybody else. We did a lot of research on moving companies and made a lot of inquiries about service before we decided American Van Lines was the best of them all. We highly recommend American Van Lines to anyone.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I hired American Van Lines for a local move. They called 2 days before our move to ask if we could change the date to July 4th, which we did and received a discount for. We were assured that they would be sending 4 of their own employees. This was not the case. A third party contractor arrived at our house in a refrigerated truck, with 2 other people that were not experienced in moving furniture. Two dressers were extremely damaged in the move along with several walls scuffed in our new home. We were told to submit a claim, which would take up to 120 days to review and determine if they would repair/replace our furniture. Never again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were very pleased with the American Van Lines Team. They were helpful, efficient, and professional. The move went fine and we would recommend American Van Lines to everyone. All items that we moved were accounted for. Every time I thought something was missing we found another box that the movers had put away because we had no more room in the condo.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Every aspect of our move was handled with the utmost in excellence. Thank you Benjamin, Brandon, and Michael for handling our move professionally and with such great care from organizing to loading to unloading. We can't thank you enough for your preparation and execution.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Move from Kansas City to Raleigh, NC - The driver arrived on the first day of the window provided and did an excellent job packing the apartment. He then delivered the furniture only a few days later, far earlier then we expected. All the items arrived without any damage exceeding our expectations.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

This was a really great experience. These guys were wonderful. 5 stars all the way. Thank you guys for making this such and easy and wonderful move. The crew were so professional and even the furniture being so heavy they still smiled and were so pleasant. They were great and we will always recommend them and remember them. Thank you guys, you were great.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Great experience with a move from Seattle Washington to Fort Worth Texas. I was quoted at the cheapest rate among the big moving companies. They provided a binding estimate that remained exactly the same once the move was completed. In terms of the move itself...fantastic. The movers arrived early and worked nonstop to load the truck the SAME day. The move was supposed to take two days but the movers worked for over 10 hours nonstop to complete everything in one day. Additionally, they arrived in 4 days! A day earlier than estimated. Fantastic experience all around!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

You will never find a better move leader than Mike. This was our 3rd requested move with him as Captain. He works very hard to get the job done FAST and RIGHT! The staff member Renee that handled all of our date change (4) issues was unbelievable - she ROCKS!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am moving long distance from NYC to Missouri. I got an estimate for the move from AVL in early April (3 months ago), signed the contract, paid the deposit. The company was fairly nice at the beginning. Things got worse as the moving date was approaching. I only got a pick-up window, not a specific pick-up date, and I was trying to figure out which day will the movers be actually coming. This was difficult, as the consultant was impossible to get hold of (not picking up the phone or returning calls). Three days before the pick-up window I still did not know the day, but they promised me to let me know at least two days in advance.

I wish things had stopped here. Not entirely two days before the move the company called that they are sorry, they will not be able to pick up my stuff. They will not have a van here, nor a partner who can do the move. But that I should not worry because I will get the deposit refunded. Seriously?! Two days before a long-distance move? A refund? This has been a terrible experience. Stay away from this company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

American Van Lines did a great job for us! The price was reasonable. Thank you Peter. The follow through with Veronica was exceptional and the driver/supervisor, Johnny, was polite, efficient and on time to load and unload... with super crews! Highly recommend this Van Line!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everyone was knowledgeable/professional & always available to address any concerns, especially Ms. ** & Ms. ** reducing the stress to a minimal level. Lex and his moving team were great in securing/handling the merchandise and troubleshooting any hiccups in a timely fashion.

Consumer Increased Rating!
Resolution In Progress

RUN AWAY! Seriously! Run away from this company and DO NOT look back! I was fooled by all of these "good" reviews, until I realized over half of them were amended complaints. This company is so far from professional. It is frightening. Their customer service, once you sign the contract (that they receive commissions for), is non-existent, and utterly atrocious! I signed a binding contract on 5/26/17 for a move in the window of 6/25 to 6/27 from Kansas City to Sparks, Nevada, and paid a deposit over $1,600.

I receive a call on 6/20, FIVE DAYS BEFORE THE START OF THE WINDOW after trying to contact them for FOUR DAYS because on Saturday, the 17th, I was called and told they did not have an AVL truck and were "going to use a contractor" to fill the move. I tried calling back immediately after talking to her to get more details. They literally NEVER answered one of the literal 50 calls I made to 3 of the agents working there, and I spent over half an hour on hold before hanging up. Anytime I tried to make contact myself and it took her till the 20th, FIVE DAYS before our move to tell me that they could not find any contractor to help our move...

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use this company under any circumstance! The unprofessionalism is simply mind-boggling! Taking over a thousand dollars from someone and then screwing them over right before one of the most stressful events in life is simply ineffably inconsiderate! I need not only be compensated with a deposit return, but hundreds of dollars in compensation for telling me nearly A MONTH AFTER PAYING THE DEPOSIT, that I am not longer to be provided for services I paid for weeks ago! The cost of utilizing any moving company (if there are even trucks available!) is exponentially higher than it was a month ago! Several hundred to thousands of dollars more! NEVER EVER consider using this company!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Moved from Southern California to Texas. Movers did an excellent job picking up and delivering items. They showed up on time and packed fragile items carefully so they wouldn't get scratched or break. They were courteous and conscientious. Everything arrived in good condition. Overall I was happy with the move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Great experience and excellent customer service. Movers were on time and were very professional. Treated our stuff with great care. Our stuff was picked up on time. Unpacked items were shrink wrapped and delivered on time. The only issue was the estimate was done over the phone and the final cost was almost double. Didn't have any options but to pay the amount.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Best in class crew, Johnny, Ali and Charlie were professional, friendly and careful. We appreciated their hard work. They took special attention to make sure the process went smooth and easy. We also felt safe and comfortable with them in our home.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The service I received from AVL was poor. Although Toni, the woman I worked with to set up the move was very nice, every encounter that I had thereafter was not up to par. The movers that came to pack my belongings were complaining of being "hung over" from the night before. One of the men actually vomited in our front yard in the mailbox flower bed. They were very unprofessional. I spoke with customer service and was given a partial refund, but have yet to see that go into our account and it has been over 2 weeks since speaking with the representative. I would not recommend this company to anyone interested in hiring a moving company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Very good. The two guys that moved us were great. I would recommend them to anyone and the communication with the company was on point. Called several times and emailed us several times to make sure everything was OK throughout our moving process. Thank you very much.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

There were no surprises at all during the moving process. While thought the cost was a little high for a local move, I have to give credit where it's due in that the total final cost matched the estimated total. What's more the delivery team arrived exactly when stated and even beat me to the new location. You could tell that the team was professional as they were very efficient and effective during the loading and unloading and pickup/drop-off process.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My recommendation for this review is not the best. The very first lady I talked to was not honest to me. I asked her the same question three times and she said "no" all three times. This was about hidden fees. She had me telling her the items that I would be moving over the phone while driving instead of letting me wait until I got home and complete the inventory online. I told her I just went through a 30 mph zone doing 39 mph also did 45 mph in a 35 mph zone. I could not concentrate on driving and trying to list the items that I wanted to move. Of course I did not remember 14+ items and had to make a call back. I then asked for another person. I was missing an item. So far, I had five items that were damaged. I have not finished unpacking my boxes but I will do so within the time allotted. I pray there will be no more damaged items.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Everything was simple and perfectly executed. Every single person I dealt with, from my phone calls with Victoria to my conversations with my mover, Carlos, I was treated with the utmost respect. I was extremely impressed. My mom's belongings were all delivered and set up with no issues. I would highly recommend this company without hesitation! Thank you!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Move went smoothly. They picked up our stuff in Florida on Thursday and had it delivered to Maryland by Monday... on a holiday weekend at that! The only hiccup we had was getting some details right on the paperwork but eventually it was handled.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Great experience from beginning to end. Parissa was excellent. This move was last minute and I was stranded. She worked endlessly to get me a deal and have my items moved the very next day if you can believe it with a decent price. I owe her big time. Victoria who then became my personal moving coordinator, I couldn't ask for anything more. She was fantastic. She called and kept me updated every step of the way, even weekends. I am truly grateful and the drivers were extremely professional and personable. Sorry I just remember Rhett in Atlanta and Johnny in Los Angeles. I will definitely recommend American Van Lines to family and friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was very worried about my move from NJ to Fl. Although I was handheld through the entire process I was still concerned. But all my fears were calmed when the truck and the very professional workmen showed up on time and then delivered my things also on time. Nothing is missing or broken. I would highly recommend American Van Lines. Another very impressive thing is that I was called every step of the way. I was never left guessing what was going on. Great job.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have never hired a mover before so wasn't sure what to expect but the reviews were good. Was impressed how well they were wrapping big stuff. Concerned that they were just throwing boxes on dolly and bouncing around but they loaded fast. Ed complained a lot about too much stuff and too many small boxes but we had to pack things to where we could handle on the other side. So tough. On the delivery side, they were definitely in a hurry to get done but what really pissed us off was the serious comments (we have a good sense of humor) by Tyrone to my bf like... "Lemme tell you a secret, have a yard sale (meaning we had too much stuff)". My bf replied there was nothing there we did not use.

He also got mad when Ron tried to show him how the chair from Relax The Back where he works operated so he could get it thru the door without scratching the wood and he told him he'd been moving for many years and knows how... yet he still struggled to get it thru door and scratches it. Apparently they didn't wrap a couple small wood tables and small chairs as they have scratches and a grill was damaged. Other things too but too much to write. Not really happy and glad it's over.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Movers showed up a little early. They were very efficient loading our belongings on the truck while being gentle with our fragile items. They also arrived earlier than scheduled at our new home and were, again, very efficient in unloading our belongings with care. Very pleased with the way our move went. It was a positive experience. I highly recommend American Van Lines.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Punctual, attentive to detail, courteous, professional, and knowledgeable. There was follow-up from beginning to end by the office to ensure customer satisfaction. Salesperson (Brian) explained the move and the cost with detail and went out of his way to ensure we understood the process. He also visited our home on several occasions to ascertain progress and needs. Overall a stress-free experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Victoria ** was exceptional with her help and understanding of our situation and problems encountered. She solved all with speed and a great attitude. The driver, Victor, and his help did an great job. They were courteous and extremely fast and careful with all our items. Everyone involved in this move was outstanding. Thanks to all...

American Van Lines Company Profile