2. Movers
Accredited Partner

Pompano Beach, FL

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.28/5

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

American Van Lines provides long-distance moves for individuals and businesses. AVL requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it’s worth it for the large fleet of shock-proof vehicles that protect the integrity of your belongings.

PROS

• Flat rate pricing
  • Easy booking process
  • Free quote

CONS

• Some weight limits apply
  • No online quotes

Top American Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

The packers were excellent! They put blankets on your furniture then shrink wrap it. That is all furniture! They took real good care of my stuff that I could see because it was placed in storage. They stayed in contact from start to finish they did not complain about anything and were very polite!

They delivered on time and nothing was damaged. Their customer service was easily reachable and they helped me with my questions. Good experience in my opinion and I would therefore recommend American Van Lines.

American Van Lines Get a Quote

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, American Van Lines can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post can be a tall order. It needs comprehensive planning, has strict deadlines and requires some budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: Relocating business offices, stores, factories, banks, schools, libraries and other commercial establishments is an enormous challenge. AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: American Van lines is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
  • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: July 11, 2020

I had to move from New York to Florida and I like the agent from American Van Lines. He was very honest and came across as sincere. I had gotten some successful bids from top companies. They were between 7,400 to 10,000 and he priced it. We had a nice talk online about the various pricing factors and he knew his business. I liked it a lot.

I had my family come in and they pre-packed about 45 cartons of personal stuff, including clothing and stuff that we were going through. The rest of it was done by the crew, which was another 20 cartons including mainly plates. Also, they took care of all the mirrors and paintings as well as all the wrapping for all the furniture that came down. I knew where everything was and I had the head of my maintenance crew up in New York walk through the apartment beforehand so that we have things where they belong.

When the crew came in, we had my guy there and he had the power of attorney. He did a walkthrough with the driver and went through room by room to make sure that it was as I remembered it and whatever was staying, was staying. We organized it that way and was very comfortable. We went through about a 15-minute walkthrough before the move started. The AVL crew was pretty much up to speed on that and was 99% accurate.

Because of the pandemic, we had a very tight receiving schedule and we didn't know when we would be able to have the house ready to receive. The crew had a two-day window and they came two hours early, which was fine. We spent the better part of the day checking everything in. They were wonderful with regard to putting things where it belong. But the boxes were not itemized. I didn't know what was inside the boxes that the moving company packed. And then there was some internal damage on the back, but not sufficient enough to put a claim in at the time. They were gonna call me back for claims and nobody ever called me back but I feel reluctant to put any claims because the guys were very good.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I retired and wanted to move down to Georgia. I called the company that I used before, and they worked with American Van Lines. I felt good about the guy I was talking to on the phone. However, I was a little disappointed in the pricing. It started out with the price as $17,000. I told them that was not gonna work because almost everything was packed up and all it needed to do was be picked up and put into a trailer. I said just 25% of what we had needed to be packed, and the rest was already packed. Right then and there, he dropped the price to $10,000 without looking at any more stuff. He didn’t come down and look at anything else. It was all done over the phone, and I was a little miffed that they were able to drop it from 17,000 to 10,000 so quickly.

It would have been much nicer if they just gave me the best price and said it was the best they could do. I looked at three companies and the other two were 12, so I went to the 10,000 one. My relocation was 770 miles and we had a special request. We had to have somebody come in and take apart my pool table and put it back together. The coordinator was good and kept up on top of things. The crew worked good and hard as well. They were nice guys but they just slammed the stuff together and threw it in the truck, so we ended up with a few broken things. My walls and floors were scratched and it was a brand-new house too. It ticked me off a little, but they kept working. They got it loaded in one day like they said they would.

When it started getting late and the guys started getting tired, they just put the box in the garage no matter where it was designed to go in the house. They stopped moving it to the correct floors and that meant I had to move all that stuff from the garage to the basement, to the upper level and to the main floor. That ticked me off a little too. Still, the experience was straightforward.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

There was a number of different moving companies listed on the internet and from where I lived and where they were based, American Van Lines seemed to be the most logical choice, so I picked them. The only thing is that I did everything by telephone. They were down in Pompano Beach and I was in Melbourne. That’s probably 130 to 140 miles apart. And all my previous moves I've done myself. When they were asking me like what’s in this room, I really had a hard time describing my furniture and how much I had, so I underestimated how much I really owned. I don’t know if other moving companies do it, but it’d be nice if they were able to have one of their people come to our house and do a survey prior to. Other than that, they did what I asked them to do at a reasonable price. The men that packed and moved the stuff were very good workers.

The lady that was in charge called me frequently to make sure everything was going okay. Like we had dates set for when they would show up to get the stuff. And naturally, they’re doing other jobs too and so if something would delay them, she would update me. Initially, it was between two or three days then they narrowed it down and let me know the precise time when they’re in the area. Then when the men were working, she contacted me to see how things were going. It was fine. They left about 6 o’clock in the evening. It was an 800-mile ride and she called and let me know where they were at a given time so I could tell my wife what was going on.

They didn’t get in till late at night and they were kinda tired and wanting to rest, but my wife had her sister with her and she wasn’t going to have anybody the next day. So, the men went ahead and unloaded that truck that night and had it unloaded by 11:00 at night. They put stuff in the rooms where it belonged and put the bed together. The boxes that they packed, they had them marked so we can know what was in them. There were only two men and they didn’t slow down.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Initially, I was working with a company called Purple Heart Movers which is a third party broker. I learned a really hard lesson trying to work with them. They showed up at my house and tried to say that the size of my load had doubled and it had not changed at all. I put a halt to the process at that point. Eventually, I talked to American Van Lines and they provided me a quote. The guy who gave me the quote referred me to a guy on American Van Lines' operations team and we planned the move on the spot in front of the other movers. That was a person that understood my predicament and worked out an instant plan in 20 minutes. He helped me out of an incredible jam. Three days later my stuff was picked up very easily with a great team and it was on its way to Utah.

The delivery went super smoothly. The crew was funny and friendly. The guys that showed up in North Carolina were doing the happy dance when they saw that everything was already staged in the garage and that they didn't have to walk up any stairs. They got 537 cubic feet of stuff out of my place. The move was delayed by a couple of days versus our original schedule but that wasn't a big deal. Also, there was small damage to a bike seat which was ripped. I've been reimbursed for it and everything was taken care of. I was thrilled with the way American Van Lines did my move.

I knew I probably paid a little bit more because of the timing being so close. But when people are moving, they're held over a barrel. That's why the other company thought they could take advantage of me because people usually have places to go, have flights to catch, or have closings to go to. I wasn't gonna play that game. American Van Lines guys bailed me out. I have a broken neck so I couldn't help their guys out. The guys on both ends were really helpful and they were able to do stuff that I would have helped them to do. I had a really good experience with this company and I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I do not like to give any negative reviews to any company but the service provided by American Van lines was pathetic. One star is only for James (he deserves all 5 stars) who was extremely professional and kind. Rest, everyone, including the supervisor Sam (Samuel P.) was not helpful at all. 1. My move was supposed to be serviced by American Van Lines, however, it was given to a third party. They were so persistent on the fact that they will be the carriers and not brokers, but in the end that's what happened. 2. I was contacted by Emmaelisa **. Or I should say threatened that I better agree to a third party or can find another mover for my move. This is 2 weeks before the move. I contacted James, who as always, helped me out and got me another advisor - Rebecca.

3. Rebecca was nice to begin with, however, on multiple occasions she was extremely rude, unapologetic or blatantly abusive. 3a. She would never pick up my call. After the move when I tried to call her, I could never get in touch with her. 3b. She did not communicate the actual charges with the third party. My initial quote included shuttle service at both pick-up and delivery. But it was not used. She did not get that off my final bill for which I had to reach out to her supervisor. For this, she actually harassed me to the extent of literally telling the third party’s supervisor (I am forgetting his name but it starts with a ’T’) that 'I am NOT willing to pay any money'. 3c. She gave me a 3 hours notice at the time of delivery! The notice is supposed to be of 24 hours! When I said this is not acceptable, she just said 'either you take the delivery or pay for an extra night of storage'

4. The movers (Taylor and Hanser) that actually came to the house were just plainly unprofessional, uncourteous, and rude. I want to tell you what all they did as well - 4a. To start of with they did not bring enough boxes. In fact, they did not even know that they had to pack the boxes which I believe was a mistake on probably Rebecca’s part. This definitely ticked them off. 4b. They asked us to start packing with them. They used our boxes as well and some of our other supplies as well. Remember, we had paid for the full packaging including all the material.

4c. I have a guitar which they moved. They picked it up from my house and few minutes later when I came downstairs, I saw them playing MY GUITAR. That should not be the case. They are not supposed to do that. 4d. They did not shrink wrap one of my mattresses completely. Even after asking them twice. In fact, they lied on my face and said they wrapped it when they did not. I discovered this when they delivered it and now I am going to have to throw that mattress away since it is dirty.

4e. They were supposed to send the weight of the truck in a couple of hours after leaving my house. They did not. They did not even pick up my calls or replied to my text messages when it was clearly visible they were getting those. When I called from a different number, they picked up the call and disconnected it as soon as they realized it was me. 4f. The packing done by these two guys was outright sub-par. So many items are damaged and cannot be used. 4g. At time of delivery, they put everything in my house and just sat in their truck ready to leave. They DID NOT re-assemble the furniture that they were supposed to and is a part of the contract. They demanded an extra $80 to do what they were supposed to do already. 4h. My contract mentioned an extra of $63/flight of stairs. My apartment has 2 extra flights of stairs. I was charged $145 instead of $126.

5. When the original estimate was performed, they mentioned a weight of ~4400 lbs. I was told that if the weight increases at the time of the move, the price would increase as well. But the final weight came down to be around 3100 lbs. They did not decrease the price to reflect this weight. When I reported all this, their supervisor contacted me once. I replied back and have not heard from anyone for last 2 weeks. Extremely poor communication and services provided by American Van Lines and their third party who contracted the job.

Resolution response: July 31, 2020

The customer service manager of AVL reached out to me, and we resolved issues amicably.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I did a lot of research on movers, and wanted to go with a carrier, not a broker. I chose American Van Lines (AVL) because I thought they would be the carrier to pick up our stuff and transport it to our destination. When I spoke to AVL over the phone, they guaranteed that I would get an AVL "A-Team" to move my stuff, not a third party. Then, the day before my move from CA to PA, I received an email from AVL stating that they are using a third party mover (Move for Less) to move our stuff. AVL says their driver had issues and can't make my moving window. However, the next day, when I ask Move for Less when they knew about my move, they told me 15 days ago! So, obviously AVL never intended to actually move my stuff - they simply acted as a broker.

Move for Less provided me with a non-binding quote based on weight, and told me this is "the worst case scenario." During the actual move, Move for Less scratched two areas of wooden floors in our apartment. Later that week, AVL calls me and tells me the "weight" of my goods was more than 60% of the "worst case scenario" quote and tells me that I owe ~$2000 more than I intended to pay. Not believing this, I request a re-weigh and read the fine print in the contract. Upon receipt of our goods at our destination, there is a 110% Rule that says I pay a maximum 110% of the non-binding quote. So, I inform AVL that I am only going to pay 110% of the non-binding quote.

During transit, Move for Less passed my stuff to another third party called Delpro which actually transported our stuff from CA to PA. I receive a text from the Delpro driver the day before he is going to deliver our stuff. I am told that I do not pay Delpro and that I pay my balance owed to Move for Less. After mentioning the 110% Rule, Move for Less informs me that they are ok with this and I will not owe anything exceeding the dollar amount in accordance with the 110% Rule.

The morning of receiving our goods, the two person Delpro team weighed the truck before unloading, drove to our home and unloaded our stuff. The Delpro team was great with helping us keep track of box numbers to make sure all of our stuff arrived. However, some boxes were torn and two pieces of furniture were broken - my guess is the Move for Less team just threw the boxes and furniture inside the truck and didn't really care to carefully put items down when loading up the truck.

The Delpro team weighed the truck after unloading our stuff — and the weight of our goods was only slightly more than the “worst case scenario” — not ~60% more. So, Move for Less intentionally added weight onto the truck and tried to extract more money from us. In summary, even if you go with a carrier, they may act as a broker and pass you to other third parties. But, remember the 110% Rule so you don’t overpay and ask for a re-weigh on delivery day before unloading your stuff and after unloading your stuff to verify the weight of your stuff so you don’t overpay.

Original review: July 21, 2020

The AVL moving coordinator and the moving crew were great. The mover himself, David, was terrific. He made everything work and I appreciated that. The people he brought in at both ends were very helpful. We found two things that broke and neither were heartbreaking so we haven't done anything about it.

Original review: July 19, 2020

American Van Lines came down with the most reasonable price that we wanted to pay for everything. The rep who helped in the beginning was wonderful. He did everything that he was supposed to and set up the date. But there was a three-day window and the crew didn't show on those three-day windows. We had to be out the next day so I called customer service. I spoke to Lisa and she apologized and said the truck broke down. They were having some problems. There was compensation but I wasn't pleased at all. Also, there were a couple of things that were dinged and marked up pretty bad. I had notes like, "Don't crush," but the box was crushed.

Original review: July 18, 2020

I was relocating from North Carolina to California. The price of American Van Lines was the biggest thing I chose them 'cause everybody else was about double. The moving coordinator was good, considering the fact that he couldn't come inside because of the virus. We did the virtual one and I took pictures. Then the ones that came and picked the things up in North Carolina and the one that unloaded it in California were very good as well. Everybody was very helpful. There was no sitting around. I have not found any damage too although most of my stuff is still in storage.

Original review: July 17, 2020

They were really good and kept us pretty well informed. The move was about 900 miles. They picked it up on the 27th, 28th, and 29th of April and June 3rd was when the first delivery occurred. The delivery was a mixed bag. They were bringing two trucks down. One truck was rented from Penske and it broke so we got two-thirds of a delivery one day then two or three days later, we got the rest of the delivery in. We had a couple of things break. We lost a couple of glasses and a few things. Also, they lost seven out of eight of the barrel nuts that hold our bed together. That got interesting to track those down and have a bed to sleep in. There was also a six-foot ladder that just disappeared, and a level. We let AVL know about it. They also sent an online piece and I wrote all that on, but that's all of that. We didn't hear anything and the way things go these days, I didn't expect to. It was probably $200 worth of stuff total.

American Van Lines FAQ

Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?

American Van Lines accommodates moving services during weekends with no extra fees, provided they are done during regular working hours. However, loading, transport and unloading services rendered after normal working hours are subject to overtime fees.

Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?

American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that fall under the prohibited items, such as hazardous materials, deadly weapons and illegal drugs. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Do we recommend American Van Lines?

American Van Lines specializes in a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. AVL’s state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. American Van Lines’ reviews indicate that more than 80% of verified customers had a good experience with the company in the last year. About 17% of verified American Van Lines moving reviews reported some dissatisfaction. As with many big moving companies, common American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. Pricing is a consideration, but if you shop around for the best state-to-state moving services, you’ll find that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice.

American Van Lines Company Information