Call toll free
4.46/5

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your local, commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

1846 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

My move was just seven minutes from the apartment to where I was going. The team from American Van Lines was excellent. All of my stuff were secured and nothing was damaged. We moved in and out, got into the apartment to here, and everything went smoothly. It was a good experience. However, the cost was a little bit high. It was twice as much as what we had expected and we didn’t know we were gonna pay so much. I told to the person when they were doing the billing that it should have been explained some more because we were thinking that it was that cost for the move and everything. But we had to pay upfront, so we didn't have any choice at that time. Nevertheless, I would still recommend them.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We were moving 3,000 miles away and we needed a moving company. My husband did the research and he chose American Van Lines. He had more interactions with the reps than I did, and the interactions were satisfactory. We had some minor things that got broken and scratched during the move, but we fixed things on our own and it wasn't something to make a deal out of.

It's my understanding that they move more than one family at a time, so they have more than our stuff on there. I don't know if they rearrange things later as they move on to pack someone else's things in the truck, but we had a bad situation with a very expensive dining room table. They took my table apart, which I wasn't really thrilled about, and I didn't like the idea that they wanted it completely unassembled. But when they got it to this end, nobody could put it back together, and it was a fiasco. The table still does not sit right because they took it apart, so we're dealing with it as it is. I think what they were trying to do was take everything apart so they could fit as much in that truck as possible. By doing so, they could damage things. Still, the people at American Van Lines were nice and they worked really hard. They were not perfect and they made a few screw-ups, but for the most part, they were good.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

American Van Lines was a little less in price than the other company I looked at. The moving coordinator I worked with was really good and helped me out a lot. The date that I moved fluctuated by a couple of days and she was willing to work with me to make sure my dates were flexible. The moving company came in, and the two guys in a truck packed up my old apartment and put it in my new one in a span of about five hours. They weren't in the time window that they said they would be, but they were good. I was running late to get back up to my new place for an appointment and they packed up all the rest of my stuff and met me up there. That was nice of them to do. Overall, I was happy with the service.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I called American Van Lines seeing that their customer rating and comments were very positive. The reps that I dealt with were very good, professional, and very helpful. The moving crew was also very professional and they wrapped all the furniture very well. It was very impressive. I waited a little long for them to arrive though. It was within the range I was told, but it would be better if they arrived sooner. It was very inconvenient when we were already in the place, but we were still waiting for the furniture. Other than that, I was satisfied with all the service. It was great and the price was fair. I would recommend it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I googled American Van Lines and they had good reviews on Yelp and the Better Business Bureau. They were also responsive and gave me a reasonable price quote. Some of the other van line companies insisted on sending somebody to my house to do the measurements and the estimates in person which I didn't have time for but American Van Lines was able to do it when we needed to. The rep who assisted me with my purchase was helpful, responsive and she always called me back. She never left me hanging, which was rare. It was a great experience especially compared to the horrible experience with the other moving companies.

I was on the top floor of an old 1920's building in Washington, DC and they needed to move my one bedroom full of stuff. It was over 3,000 pounds of furniture and belongings, so they needed to move that out and down. Since I was in the city, they couldn't bring their semi-truck in, so they needed to go to U-Haul and get a shuttle vehicle to move all that stuff in. They were able to do all of that and then, they drove that 1,600 miles to South Texas. The crew was quick, pleasant, professional and good communicators. We liked them. The rep who assisted me with my move knew what I was talking about. She didn’t get any of the information mixed up which could happen when you are coordinating a bunch of different moves for a bunch of different people. She was able to keep everything straight so, it was easy. I never feared when I called her that she didn't know who I was.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We got a couple of bids from other van lines, and American Van Lines had the best rate. The interaction we had with the coordinator was okay. However, we were a little frustrated with the timing because they didn’t deliver on time and we didn’t get our items until after 11 days. But when they arrived, everything was great. Our driver was awesome, and the people who delivered the items were nice. There were a couple of broken glasses, but those are only minor things. Logistically, American Van Lines move multiple people in that huge van line. But I would definitely suggest more demographic areas because the driver had to go all the way to Texas, and then back down to California. It probably caused the delay. They should just go state to state instead of going up and down.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My wife found American Van Lines online, and she contacted them and got a quote. Their quote was good enough. We love the moving coordinator who assisted us. She was personable and down to earth. We had a great connection with her from the beginning. If she would have been somebody who was less personable, we probably would have had some doubts or some second thoughts about going with them.

We had a good moving crew. They were very helpful, quick and did everything that they needed to do.There was somebody who put a dent in the wall. But it was fixable. They did their job well and I appreciated them. We got along really good. They picked up the day before we were supposed to move into the new house, and it was right during the holiday too. But then the guy who was buying our house, had some problems at the last minute with his getting the approval of FHA. So there were some real questions about whether or not we would be able to move into the house.

When we checked the moving company they said, “Well, we had to take everything off of the trucks and put it in the storage. And then we’ll have to put it back on the trucks, and it’s gonna cost you extra for that time period because we need our trucks.” I told my realtor we weren’t gonna pay a lot of extra money because his realtor should’ve known that everything needed to have been finalized before they told us. But it eventually got straightened out and it was only a day delay by time they delivered it. Overall I would recommend American Van Lines. If somebody asked me who we had I would tell them and say that I was pleased.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I looked into many companies but American Van Lines originally said there was a 90%-95% chance that they could do the move in one day, so I went with them. It turned out, however, that wasn’t the case and that made me a bit upset. During the pick up, the crew wasted an hour, saying there was more stuff than they thought and they had to count everything. It probably took them two and half hours to take the first package out of the house even though everything was boxed and by the door. One guy had to call the home office while the other two weren’t really doing anything. They brought out some boxes, packaging and things until the other guy got the okay to start moving.

I knew ahead of time that the initial amount was based off of an estimate, and everything with the move was done based off of the weight of the truck and the weight of my stuff. So, I didn’t understand why it was taking so long. It didn’t really matter if there were little boxes or not. I used small wine and beer boxes to pack things so they were easier to lift versus using bigger boxes. Instead of having the normal-sized moving box that would be three times as much in weight, I used a wine box. There might have been more boxes, but the weight was about the same. Yet that played into the fact that we didn’t get the move done in one day.

The other issue was that they said they would get there between 9:00 and 11:00. My thought was if you’re trying to move somebody in one day, you would get there at 9:00, especially when there’s a four-hour drive between locations. But they got there at 11:15, which kinda put it out of the same-day move. In my mind, at that point, I had to get a hotel room because my bed was on the moving truck, so I wasn’t overly happy with that. Plus, I have a dog, and there are always extra charges with dogs in hotel rooms.

American Van Lines had me talk to the lady in Texas that set up the move, and also to the local dispatcher in North Carolina. But there has never been any conversation with anybody about compensation for all the troubles I went through. American Van Lines did a good job with the actual move. They moved everything properly, and I only had one or two things that were broken, so I was happy with that. If I'm trying to get the move done in a day, I’d probably go with one of the smaller companies where I could talk to the people ahead of time and get them on the same page.

American Van Lines said they had tried to get in touch with me early in the week. But I was finishing out a job, and I work 12-hour days as a physician’s assistant, so there was no time to talk on the phone. But I was told everything was set up and I was told what was gonna happen. When somebody tells me there’s a 95% chance something is gonna happen, that’s my expectation. Still, they did not lie to me. They just didn’t exactly push the truth all the way.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I saw American Van Lines on the internet and I also looked around. I went with them because their price was okay and the moving coordinator who helped me was great. I had to move my moving date 4 times because of the storm coming in and then I couldn’t close on my property, so he was really great to work with me to fix the schedule every time.

I was separated and I had to move to a place that is 50 minutes away. The move went great. I already had my boxes packed so all they had to do was load and unload which took about 5 hours. However, my screen door got broken in the process and I didn’t notice it at first. They didn’t take the door off the hook and now, the door will not shut anymore. It seems like the door and the frame are not aligned anymore. I know that the front door was perfectly fine before but now it'll hit me in the butt by the time I walk in. I had few large pieces of furniture and I have a really large shrunk that I brought from Germany that's really heavy, and

that might have been what caused the problem with the door. Since too much time had passed, I didn't contact American Van Lines anymore. Besides, stuff like that happens when one moves and the people were really nice.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I wanted to use a local company that is nationally recognized and I ended up with American Van Lines. We had to change the day a number of times and the coordinator was always very helpful. However, there was a slight damage on my furniture. It was reported but nothing ever got done about it. I didn't follow up on it because I expected American Van Lines to follow up. But for the most part, we were satisfied with the moving crew that helped with our move. I recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We moved 22 times as a result of 40 years' worth of federal service and the move with American Van Lines is the most reasonable and the best move experience we ever had. The lady that did the estimate did a tour of our house virtually because we had it listed for sale online. We went through each room, discussed it and after all the packing was done, she was off by nine bucks. She estimated within a few hundred pounds in regards to the weight. It was incredible how accurate she was, in looking at the house, talking to me, and then putting the estimate together. I couldn't say enough good things about her.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had to move 800 miles from Kansas City to New Mexico. I was desperate since it was late and I was gonna get a U-Haul and pack it ourselves. However, the more I thought about it, the less attractive that was. Also, there wasn't a U-Haul big enough for my stuff. So, I was gonna have to have two, but then I decided to just hire someone to get it done. I looked up online and American Van Lines was the first one that came up. I made a call. The reps who assisted me were very helpful. They kept me informed when they were gonna pick up because it was always a question. They'd give you a 48-hour window, but you never really know when they'd come. The moving crew was nice, too. The only thing was they showed up with my truck, but they only had an hour left on their time. So, they couldn't unload everything and what I needed was buried. Still, it was fine. The movers worked hard and we survived. American Van Lines was really helpful.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My Realtor put me on American Van Lines. I moved from Raleigh down to the coast about three hours and all of it was excellent. We had a good rapport and they were very helpful. Also, the crew was knowledgeable and they helped out. They took apart what they need to take apart and put it back together and didn’t break anything.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We wanted to live near the beach. We weren’t getting any younger, so we decided to sell our house in Forest City and move to the beach or near the beach. We talked to the American Van Lines reps and they told us how much it would be to move our goods from Forest City, which we originally lived, down to our new house in Carolina Shores, North Carolina, and we stored the goods for a month in Greensboro, at which time we paid to have them moved on down to our permanent house.

The lady that set it up the first part of our move was very helpful. And then the guys that came out and picked up our furniture were professional and knew what they were doing. They packed our goods up and they went to Greensboro. Then I talked to the coordinator. She called me and I filled out the necessary paperwork to have it moved on, and then I paid the freight charge to have it moved down to Carolina Shores. The group that came down here told us they were gonna be here at 10 o’clock, and they were right on the spot. They did what they said they were gonna do. And in two hours, they had the furniture unloaded and it was great.

They advised us that we had more modern marble top coffee table that was broken and I submitted a claim for that. The lady said we would hear something by the end of November and it's going into December now. Also, I have a small Road Trip grill which wasn’t broken when we've seen it, but it was broken when it was delivered. I had a thing in to American Van Lines for that. But 90% of the goods weren’t broken and everything is in good shape. American Van Lines did well and I was satisfied with them.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I researched moving companies and I got American Van Lines on one of the searches I did online. They're about five miles from where I live and their rates were good, so I went with them. The moving coordinator had very good customer service and I was kept informed with everything. I moved from Reno to Lemoore, California first and I dropped off a bunch of stuff there. Then about a month later or six weeks later, I was moving stuff from Lemoore to Pompano Beach. On both times, the gentleman who loaded the trucks was very nice and there were no damage. The move to Lemoore was right on time. The other one, I expected to get my things about a week or a little sooner than what was written on the contract which is about three weeks but it took almost all that time to get here. But other than that, everything was fine.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

The only stress that I had during my move across country was with American Van Lines. My house sold faster than I thought that it would, so I have to move asap. The representative assured me that they would pick my goods up between the 1st and the 3rd of November, of course they came on the 4th. That delay cause a roller coaster of other problems that caused me more money. Speaking of money, beware of hidden fees, I ended up paying over $2000 more than what I was led to believe that I would pay. While they were loading, some guy calls me and tells me that the driver says the load is closer to 8000+ lbs than the 5000 lbs they estimated and that I would need to agree to a change in the contract to reflect the greater weight and higher charge and that if I didn't agree then the driver would have no choice but to only move what he had already loaded (half), leaving the rest of our stuff behind.

A threat right in the middle of loading was a ballsy and dirty move. Oh, and they didn't deliver the day that they said they would. We waited all day on the day the guy said they would come and they didn't show until the next day (didn't bother to call and let us know). These are just a few things that I had to go through with this company. I read a few positive reviews without looking deeper. Believe the negative reviews and save yourself the added stress and headache of dealing with this company. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

We were moving 30 miles and had American Van Lines move our things. We also had them store our things for three weeks. American Van Lines was able to price match. Also, the customer service given to us by Toni, the office person who came out to give me the quote, was above and beyond. The crew that did the move was fabulous as well. They had the personalities, worked hard, and cleaned up after themselves.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

We would like thank Steve ** & Steve ** for the great job they did with our move from Arizona to Texas. They were very professional and hardworking men. They are a great credit American Van Lines. Great job.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I was moving from New Jersey to Florida. I knew somebody who used American Van Lines and this company came referred to them. Marcus, the moving coordinator, was wonderful. Whenever I left a message, he was able to call me back promptly. Like him, the consultant answered all my questions. Everything was explained thoroughly, as well, including the price. This was my first time doing a big move like this on my own, so as nerve-racking as it was, they were wonderful. And since I wasn't in my place, they knew I had a time to keep my stuff in storage for the month. We had that arranged and it worked out perfectly.

The moving team was fantastic. When they got delayed in Massachusetts, they asked if it would be okay to come the next morning and I agreed. They let me know ahead of time that they had issues with a different move. Also, they were thorough when they arrived. I do not plan to move again, but if I do, I will use American Van Lines.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

American Van Lines' coordinator, Renee, was great and helpful. I like her and our interaction was positive. She provided me with a lot of good information and gave it to me in whole and had an accurate quote on what to expect. On the day the crew came to pick up everything from my house, two guys were awesome. But one of the guys didn't want to talk, even when I was friendly. Towards the end of the time that they were there, we still had stuff in our attic. I mentioned that to them, but they said that they were done and they left. My husband and I just dealt with it and it was a little frustrating. We ended up spending 12 hours moving stuff. We moved an hour away and the things that could be taken out from the attic and put in the trunk could have been handled quickly.

During delivery, I couldn't tip the delivery crew because the bank was so far away, so I offered to buy them lunch for $75 as tip. However, they were frustrated about that. The lead guy came back and had gotten one of our heaviest piece of furniture into one of the bedrooms. He asked me if I wanted him to move it up against the wall and I told him yes. I ran out, grabbed something and came back. That was when I saw the furniture was turned upside down. I still have heavy furniture that I can’t move by myself turned upside down. We ended up taking care of it ourselves.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

During our move from NC to Texas, there were a few items with minor damage. But American Van Lines was very diligent in following up on our concerns, and addressing them. They assigned a one point contact for us and the person was very cooperative and supportive in the whole process. I am glad that they are good about taking care of customers. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

American Van Lines wasn’t very customer-oriented until the actual packing date. I did a move for 1200 miles and the moving coordinator did not keep up with calling me and letting me know when the truck was gonna be there. The communication was off. On the other hand, the moving crew was very productive and they packed a lot of my belongings. They did an excellent job all the way around.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I was looking at feedback from previous customers online and American Van Lines had good feedback. The person I dealt with was also very good and thorough. We had some changes in dates and he kept me informed each step of the way. They subcontracted to another company and the movers were wonderful and really helpful as well. The truck was a smaller one but I was the only client that they had on it so I was able to add things if I needed to. They also did a wonderful job in packing, had some good advice for me and kept in touch directly with me through the schedule changes. I'd definitely recommend American Van Lines to anybody looking at major moves. I was moving from New York to North Carolina, and the price they gave me turned out to be less than the estimate. I understand from other people that that's not normal. Usually, it's more than the estimate. So the person I initially dealt with did a very good job of estimating.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My husband changed job, so we were moving to Boston, Massachusetts. I got a quote from American Van Lines and other companies. Finally, we decided to use American Van Lines and had a good experience with them. The rep asked me how many items we had and I listed all of them. They gave me a quote and told me how much they would charge including the mileage and more details, so they were good. They also had the option for me to purchase insurance. Additionally, the crew was nice and they picked up the furniture very carefully, checked every item, put a sticker, and confirmed with me. It was good.

However, there was an accident that happened at the end when they unloaded our stuff. When they put our king-size bed together, accidentally, the headboard fell to the ground. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. I filed a claim for compensation because we didn't purchase the extra insurance. They gave us a good pay for the estimate of how many pounds of the king bed. They agreed to pay around $100 something. We agreed to that and they sent me a check.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

American Van Lines helped me in my move 1400 miles away. Their reps were excellent. Their professionalism was outstanding. Moreover, their moving crew was very good. I had them pack, but they fine-tuned it.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

American Van Lines is by far the best mover. We moved out of our home and they had to hold our furniture on the truck overnight as we closed on both of our homes the next day. They were great in communicating and nothing was broken. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I went online and I liked the price of American Van Lines. The rep was available and everything went fine but the pickup day was three days after it was supposed to be initially. The delivery date was the last day of the three weeks that they gave, so the timing was bad. There was no commitment and no follow through on the time. She said she was trying as hard as she could with the scheduler. The contract said that they had so many days to deliver and she kept on reminding me about it. The crew was a little slow on both ends once things got started but they were fine. The furniture got there and so, American Van Lines followed through with that. There were no problems with the delivery.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We were moving to a new place that we bought three miles away from where we lived and my real estate agent then referred me to one of American Van Lines' representatives. I gave their moving coordinator a detailed list of what I had to move and he put together the quote and got it back to me in a timely fashion. Then from there, I got another call from another woman who told me the range of when they'd be arriving on the specified date. The crew that came was efficient. They handled my things gingerly during packing, which was what I was hoping for. I was in disbelief that they moved a couple of things without any damage. That was a plus. I also had good and informative interactions with them. American Van Lines is who you should deal with.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I was moving for a job change, and I used American Van Lines. My moving consultant was informative. Mike, the leader of the moving crew, was very good, professional, and helpful. However, his two assistants were not as professional and not as hard workers. Still, I wasn't worried about my items. They did fine with that.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I was an executor of my friend. One Thursday night, someone called and told me that I have to have my friend's place cleaned up by Monday. I was out of town then so I did finger phone calls and my Realtor said he would take care of that part of finding somebody to show up within 24 hours and have the house cleaned out. That's what American Van Lines did and they were absolutely fabulous! Seeing that it was such a rush job, the moving coordinator did the estimating and everything on the phone. In fact, he said that he would do the best he can with just me sending him pictures. Three gentlemen came and we showed them what I was shipping up to her grandchildren in Pennsylvania.

The move was for a two-bedroom townhouse and it was the furniture in it and then a lot of the stuff that was in the furniture and stuff I thought the grandchildren would want. From there they took care of everything. They wrapped them, they boxed them they did everything that I asked them to take. Overall, American Van Lines was great. They had less than 24-hour notice and they were there and got everything up to Pennsylvania. I can't complain.

American Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American Van Lines is a local, commercial and long distance mover that is also a family-owned business. They are headquartered in Pompano Beach, FL, and can help with moving nationwide.

• Local moving: The company does a lot of local, residential and commercial moves. These moves are within short distances and the cost is affordable.

• Corporate: They have a team of moving specialists that help with corporate moves and are capable of moving entire companies.

• Military moving: American Van Lines understands the needs of military moves, which require comprehensive planning and strict deadlines.

• Visa and immigration services: American Van Lines can help customers obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and other paperwork.

• Storage: The company also offers storage facilities to help companies and families safely store their belongings while they are in the process of changing locations.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs