Call toll free
4.09/5

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Van Lines provides long-distance moves for individuals and businesses. AVL requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it’s worth it for the large fleet of shock-proof vehicles that protect the integrity of your belongings.

PROS

• Flat rate pricing
  • Easy booking process
  • Free quote

CONS

• Some weight limits apply
  • Deposit required

Top American Van Lines Reviews

01/31/2019

The packers were excellent! They put blankets on your furniture then shrink wrap it. That is all furniture! They took real good care of my stuff that I could see because it was placed in storage. They stayed in contact from start to finish they did not complain about anything and were very polite!

03/22/2019

They delivered on time and nothing was damaged. Their customer service was easily reachable and they helped me with my questions. Good experience in my opinion and I would therefore recommend American Van Lines.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including storage facilities during the moving process. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks to accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile high-value items, such as paintings, prized figurines and pianos.

Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. Backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

Local movingLong distance movingInternational moving
Full packing and crating services
Multiple delivery options
Flat-rate pricing system

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines offers a range of moving services:

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, American Van Lines can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience for you and your employee.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post can be a tall order. It needs comprehensive planning, has strict deadlines and requires some budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: Relocating business offices, stores, factories, banks, schools, libraries and other commercial establishments is an enormous challenge. AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of both new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: American Van lines is licensed to provide private storage compartments housed in fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment to preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, be they grand, vertical, electrical or digital. Movers also have experience in protecting your antique and fine art collections.

1895 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 29, 2019

I was moving to Florida and I asked my daughter to help me find a moving company. She found American Van Lines that was based in Florida and we thought that it would work out well because the drivers and the workers will end up back at their home base. Their price was fair because they charge by the weight. I had three workers. One was the driver, but he had to help load also. And then the other two were doing most of the work. The driver did most of the paperwork. But they all worked very hard. I was called by one of the representatives at American Van Lines while they were helping me and loading the truck, to see if they were doing a good job. I told him they were doing a good job and he said I have their best crew, which I was glad to hear. They were very careful with my belongings. I had no damage. They packed it up and then they drove to Florida.

When they came to Florida, they put everything where I asked them to. They put things together that they had had to take apart, like the legs off of tables. I have some glass top tables and they were careful about that. I also have two china cabinets that have glass shelves in them and they very carefully put all the shelves in. They were really good workers, and very thorough. It didn't seem like they were rushed or they were trying to get done in a hurry.

I had a couple of broken dishes, but it was no big deal. Everything was wonderful. My only problem was that it took three weeks for them to deliver my furniture. I had thought it would be faster than that. From my house in Arizona, I was told that they went to California, and then they went to Texas. But then, they had to wait for some time for some person in Texas to pay them. And then eventually, they were able to get to Florida. I had to sleep on a cot while I waited and it was uncomfortable for me. I just kept thinking any minute, they would show up. When they got here, they were efficient, extremely courteous and very capable. If I have to move again, I would use American Van Lines and I would recommend them to people that I knew were moving.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 21, 2019

We relocated to Wyoming and used American Van Lines for the move. We talked with the moving consultant about number of boxes, and it all went very well. And the estimate went very well, too. We had quite a few conversations with our moving coordinator because there was some difficulty getting the truck there because of the weather. The truck was stuck in Reno for several days because of storms and they shut down the highway. And then, once the driver got started again, he broke down in California. So there was another day's delay. So, we had quite a few interactions with the coordinator, and they were all very satisfactory.

There was a driver who coordinated with crews both in Oregon and in Wyoming, and the interaction with the driver was very good. He was amazingly competent and getting the truck packed and getting our things here safely. He hired a crew in Oregon and they did a good job of getting boxes packed and on to the truck. When he got to Wyoming, there is a moving company here that he contracted with to come and help, and they were not good. The driver got here late in the first place, again, because of weather. So it was late in the day when they got here. But we ended up with boxes in the wrong rooms. We ended up with boxes in the basement that should've been upstairs and vice versa. They ended up moving probably the last 20% just setting them in our garage. And so, we had to move them into the house. So, I was not happy with the crew in Wyoming at all.

Still, that was no reflection on American Van Lines. They hired the best they could find. I've used different moving companies for different reasons, and American Van Lines has performed better than anybody else I've worked with. I especially was happy with the estimate because I got estimates from other companies, and theirs was comparable. And we actually saved a couple thousand dollars from the original estimate.

Original review: April 20, 2019

My son was moving out to Orlando from Dallas and at the time, I was trying to evaluate whether it was worth it to pay for professional movers or do it ourselves with the U-Haul. Dory, American Van Lines' rep, was able to offer a service wherein the cost was by the pound. I itemized the list and the rep gave me an allotment of boxes by the size. We were then able to get our son packed up. Also, I didn’t have to load it and drive a U-Haul truck myself. That worked out really well for us. I was also impressed with how Dory was able to make that work and within our budget.

However, the moving coordinator didn't live up to the excellence that we had with the rep. We didn't feel like her communication was timely enough. She said she would let me know about the move by a certain day or time. But then, she dropped the ball and didn't call. The date range was one of the hang-ups I was having at the time because our son had to get out of the dorms and I didn't wanna stay in a hotel longer than we had to see the items. There was a day when we thought their mover was coming but then the coordinator called me back and told me that they couldn't do it. Though we got the job done with her, it wasn't at the level of excellence that I expected given our encounter with Dory. Despite that miscommunication, the mover worked hard and got the move done the second day thereafter.

The way their movers loaded up my son's things looked very unorganized from the perspective of someone who's a type A control freak. Their mover pulled out other people's stuff out of the truck and had those things all over my driveway. At the time, I hoped that if they had three or four stops in between, that the driver would not be pulling out our stuff onto somebody else's driveway. Still, he obviously knew what he was doing.

American Van Lines people loaded, delivered and unloaded the boxes. The crew was good and the guy's skill level was fantastic. They thought they'd have to offload to a satellite truck because the driver had a big semi-truck and he couldn't maneuver that at the Orlando location. Instead, he was able to back the semi-truck at an angle that was like putting a square peg in a round hole.

We have a move coming up and I'll be calling Dory again to see what she can do for us. For a normal person, working with American Van Lines is a worry-free experience. Their coordinator gave a two-week window and the timing was good. Everything turned out great.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I looked into many companies but American Van Lines originally said there was a 90%-95% chance that they could do the move in one day, so I went with them. It turned out, however, that wasn’t the case and that made me a bit upset. During the pick up, the crew wasted an hour, saying there was more stuff than they thought and they had to count everything. It probably took them two and half hours to take the first package out of the house even though everything was boxed and by the door. One guy had to call the home office while the other two weren’t really doing anything. They brought out some boxes, packaging and things until the other guy got the okay to start moving.

I knew ahead of time that the initial amount was based off of an estimate, and everything with the move was done based off of the weight of the truck and the weight of my stuff. So, I didn’t understand why it was taking so long. It didn’t really matter if there were little boxes or not. I used small wine and beer boxes to pack things so they were easier to lift versus using bigger boxes. Instead of having the normal-sized moving box that would be three times as much in weight, I used a wine box. There might have been more boxes, but the weight was about the same. Yet that played into the fact that we didn’t get the move done in one day.

The other issue was that they said they would get there between 9:00 and 11:00. My thought was if you’re trying to move somebody in one day, you would get there at 9:00, especially when there’s a four-hour drive between locations. But they got there at 11:15, which kinda put it out of the same-day move. In my mind, at that point, I had to get a hotel room because my bed was on the moving truck, so I wasn’t overly happy with that. Plus, I have a dog, and there are always extra charges with dogs in hotel rooms.

American Van Lines had me talk to the lady in Texas that set up the move, and also to the local dispatcher in North Carolina. But there has never been any conversation with anybody about compensation for all the troubles I went through. American Van Lines did a good job with the actual move. They moved everything properly, and I only had one or two things that were broken, so I was happy with that. If I'm trying to get the move done in a day, I’d probably go with one of the smaller companies where I could talk to the people ahead of time and get them on the same page.

American Van Lines said they had tried to get in touch with me early in the week. But I was finishing out a job, and I work 12-hour days as a physician’s assistant, so there was no time to talk on the phone. But I was told everything was set up and I was told what was gonna happen. When somebody tells me there’s a 95% chance something is gonna happen, that’s my expectation. Still, they did not lie to me. They just didn’t exactly push the truth all the way.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We wanted to live near the beach. We weren’t getting any younger, so we decided to sell our house in Forest City and move to the beach or near the beach. We talked to the American Van Lines reps and they told us how much it would be to move our goods from Forest City, which we originally lived, down to our new house in Carolina Shores, North Carolina, and we stored the goods for a month in Greensboro, at which time we paid to have them moved on down to our permanent house.

The lady that set it up the first part of our move was very helpful. And then the guys that came out and picked up our furniture were professional and knew what they were doing. They packed our goods up and they went to Greensboro. Then I talked to the coordinator. She called me and I filled out the necessary paperwork to have it moved on, and then I paid the freight charge to have it moved down to Carolina Shores. The group that came down here told us they were gonna be here at 10 o’clock, and they were right on the spot. They did what they said they were gonna do. And in two hours, they had the furniture unloaded and it was great.

They advised us that we had more modern marble top coffee table that was broken and I submitted a claim for that. The lady said we would hear something by the end of November and it's going into December now. Also, I have a small Road Trip grill which wasn’t broken when we've seen it, but it was broken when it was delivered. I had a thing in to American Van Lines for that. But 90% of the goods weren’t broken and everything is in good shape. American Van Lines did well and I was satisfied with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: June 10, 2019

I called Patrick to get an estimate for my move to Florida from Pennsylvania. Patrick indicated that he would send me a “link” that I could download on my phone in order to take video/images of my possessions. He stated that this was necessary to get an accurate estimate. Anyway, after getting off the phone I waited for the link. After not getting it by the next morning, I called Patrick back to find out what happened. He wasn’t in so I left a voicemail message. I called again in the afternoon and he answered saying that he just got in after a doctor’s appointment. I told him that I never got the link and he said he sent it to the wrong number and would resend it to me. Well, I still didn’t get it. By the next day, I felt that I had wasted enough time and got another mover. I had received an earlier email from Patrick that included an inventory list which I filled out and submitted, but still no response. I guess he didn’t want my business???? ‍♂️

Original review: June 10, 2019

Worst company I have ever dealt with. Made arrangements several months before move and was confirmed 3 times and then signed binding agreement and was promised they would be there on Sunday - one person finally arrived with small moving truck for a Second floor apartment!! We had flights out to move next morning so had to leave everything there. You can’t get through phones, they promise to return calls and don’t! Please save yourself headaches and don’t use this company!!

Original review: June 7, 2019

Last month I moved from Southeast Fl to West Coast Fl. From the first contact with Brain **, moving consultant to Victoria, our move coordinator to the two fellows who moved us, the move went perfectly. Brian was spot on his estimate and very helpful by bringing us boxes and packing material so we could get started. He also checked in and was virtually present at all time. Victoria called prior to the move. Told us what would be happening, set the scheduled and verified the cost. And also did several follow-up during and after the move.

But I can't say enough about the movers (I'm sorry I am not sure of their names. I believe one was Jay but I've forgotten the other). They arrived exactly on time. They were personable from the moment they got out of the truck. They were very professional. They went to work immediately and did not stop working until everything was packed an on the truck. They scheduled the time for the next day and worked with my schedule. Again, were on time and were diligent with the unpacking and assisting us placing furniture and boxes. They were courteous, respectful and polite at all times. It was a pleasure dealing with them. Moving is a stressful event. I hate it. But my experience with American Van Lines made all the difference.

Original review: June 1, 2019

Our experience with AVL was great from beginning to end. Being able to get an estimate by uploading video was super convenient and saved a lot of time. The service representatives were all courteous and answered all questions and concerns. I wasn’t sure how working with movers who give a 3-day window for pick up would go, but they called me a few days before to coordinate and offered to come a day earlier than scheduled as well as ask me what time best suited us. Mike and Alex made an exceptional moving team. They were super friendly and patient with our toddler running around and very professional with how they packed our boxes and prepared our furniture for loading. We were extremely impressed with these guys and we’ve moved A LOT. They were careful, cautious, and quick. Our things arrived right when they said they would and Mike and Alex’s team had our things put together and unloaded in no time. Great Service!

Original review: June 1, 2019

I was planning to move across the country. I scheduled a pick up with American Van Lines, and I paid a large deposit for my reservation. On the day of my expected move, the company called and cancelled. They said they couldn't find a truck for my shipment. I was left with all of my furniture at the very last minute. I was not able to find a different company for my move date. I was very frustrated that American Van Lines would put me in such a terrible situation, and this could be catastrophic for other customers. The customer service is friendly and responsive, but that isn't very helpful on moving day. Beware of making promises that you can't keep.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Kevin - the mover is excellent! He did most of the work himself while here in Fort Myers. The man deserves a raise! He was courteous, friendly, knowledgeable and a good man to know. The entire process was wonderful from beginning to end! I looked at a multitude of movers, but I chose American Van Lines because they had better reviews plus the cost was comparable to other movers! I would highly recommend American Van Lines to my friends and I would use them for future moves! They are great!

Original review: May 22, 2019

My experience with American Van Lines was pretty easy. Customer service was okay. Although, I got a lot more details from the actual driver than the customer service representative. They could provide a little better communication. But the driver was awesome. He kept us quite informed. Even we had reached out to American Van Lines and they were unsure, then he got back to us before the actual company.

Original review: May 18, 2019

This all started with my getting a quote from this company to move my belongings fro Stuart Fl to Gulf Shores Al. I called and talked with the “sales” person. He told me to itemize all my furniture and estimate the number of boxes I would have. When I asked him what he wasn’t sending a rep out to do the est... His reply was “we do this all the time”. Now I realize that it’s a ploy to give you a low ball estimate to get your business then they have you sign a disclaimer that actual cost is based on weight. I had another est (much more realistic from another company).

When the three guys came out the first comment was “Oh you have real furniture... Not Ikea furniture. We can pick it up with one hand”. They sent out a truck that wasn’t large enough to hold my load (it already had two other persons' furniture shipment ). An hour into the move all my neighbors started telling me, "There’s no way they’re going to get your furniture on this van." I keep questioning the driver and he assured me they could get everything on this load. Of course at 5:00pm that afternoon he admitted all my belongings weren’t going to make it on this load. So he put in a request for another truck. It caused all kind of issues for me. I had to be at my closing the next day and couldn’t wait for the truck... So I had to give one of my neighbors “Power of Attorney” to allow the second shipment.

The first load was delivered two days later and second shipment over a week later. I had an expensive new rug that was still in original plastic wrapping... They used box cuter to open it and apparently put a 6” slice in the new rug. I didn’t catch the damage until several days later when I vacuumed it. Also the most expensive piece of furniture (Link Taylor armoire) I have was damaged. When the movers were bringing it in the head guy in charge also went into a panic when the other two put all the weight on the legs. I thought at the time how strange a reaction. A couple of weeks later I noticed the legs separating! I had a furniture repairman come out and he told me someone had tried to glue this together... truly think they damaged it in moving from my previous home and attempted to repair while this shipment was in storage for a week.

No way can anyone account for all damage or missing items on the day of delivery... I had a hand painted book case missing, a TV. And damage to the rug and dinning buffet. I sent the pictures of missing items and damage. My move pick up was on Dec 6th and 7th. Just today I received a letter asking me to settle for $150.00. They operate a bait and switch type operation. Unless you take out additional ins. They only pay .60 on the dollar based on the weight. Just a warning... Be extra careful dealing with these people. Lots of fine print. And don’t be fooled by the sales dept that “they do estimates all the time over the phone”. Use a company that sends out their rep and is somewhat bound to honor their representative est of cost... Not a lay person whose belonging are being shipped!! My move cost me $7500+ in lieu of the $3800. That was quoted to me.

Original review: May 17, 2019

One time the rep of American Van Lines did not get back to me in a reasonable time or didn’t get with me when they was supposed to, but most of the conversations were good and informative. If I had any questions, the coordinator got back with me in a timely fashion. They worked with me with whether to get a truck or a stand-alone truck. She was just very helpful with that. She let me come down and get some boxes on one of my visits, although I wish I could’ve gotten more. The movers themselves were also awesome. Overall, it was a pleasant experience. I recommended them as an option for my aunt who’s gonna be moving from Massachusetts.

Original review: May 16, 2019

There were several things about working with AVL that culminated into a negative customer experience. Yes, our things did get delivered within their 3-week window and everything was accounted for but not without distress. 1. AVL has their sales pitch down to a tee. We called and spoke with a phenomenal sales consultant who walked us through a website that showcased how many trailers AVL owns (50+ owned! Minimal need to give our job to a third party) vs a competitor (only owned 2 trucks and would for sure send to a third party) we were comparing a quote against. He assured us they are "The BEST" for these kinds of moves. At almost $1000 more, we trusted we would get what we paid for.

2. Movers (NOT AVL - A THIRD PARTY in "Sprinter vans") showed up 4 hours late to pick up our pieces. Original window, 2-6. They showed up between 7:30-8PM. We didn't have much, a 1 bedroom apartment. We had to miss our going away party with friends we had scheduled for the evening. 3. Still feeling positive about the choice our consultant said the pieces left NJ on May 1 and should arrive the following week. Great! 4. We arrive in Seattle and wait... May 7th turned into Wednesday the 15th. The driver, a NEW THIRD PARTY not affiliated with the company who picked up our things, said they couldn't deliver to our apartment with the larger truck and we would have to pay an ADDITIONAL $300 to transport to a smaller truck (literally a U-HAUL) to get to us. Meanwhile, we live on a large, open, 4 lane road where many busses and trucks commute regularly. We argued this but to no avail.

5. Our pieces arrive, IN SAID U-HAUL, with a driver who was lovely, but said he was the middleman and had no say in if the truck would fit on our street. As pieces started being brought in EVERY BOX looked like it had been through HELL. Things marked fragile/glass were clearly beaten up and broken, boxes with clothes had busted at the seams. He said it was because we used Home Depot boxes. If movers see HD boxes not withstanding cross country moves, why not alert us of that AVL?

All in all, we felt extremely taken advantage of considering that we were sold on working with a company that is excellent, an A on the BBB. Meanwhile we feel we were forced into paying more money, our things were NOT handled with care, and the whole experience left a bitter taste. We will not be working with AVL nor recommending them ever again.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I was looking in the internet and I’ve seen that American Van Lines did a lot of stuff for veterans. Plus, they had a discount just before Christmas so I took advantage of it. We had a short timeline and were kind of scared that we wouldn’t get out when we were supposed to. But we were able to close on our house at the right time whenever they showed up and everything went good.

As far as the move goes, my stuff had to be put in a storage locker. And when we finally were able to get our stuff out of the storage locker, there were some items that were not sitting in the right way. They were stacked too high up and the heavy stuff was on the lighter boxes so we had some crushed stuff. But the two guys that were doing it, were very nice. They let us know when they were coming, where they were at, when they’d be there, when they’re leaving and when they’d show up -- the whole nine yards. So, they did a good job about that. They have good prices and the staff are awesome.

They were real honest about the weight of the truck as well, because they showed us the ticket when they weighted it empty and then when they weighted it full. Anything you could challenge them on about kind of ripping you off, never happened. They’re really upfront. They always called us and were on time. They were very pleasurable to be around.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I was moving close to 1,000 miles from Maryland to Florida. A friend told me about American Van Lines and when I used them, the rep I talked to handled things very well. Everything that I had asked her, she came back with an appropriate answer and I was pleased with how her answers were. Aside from that, I was by myself at the time and unable to complete the packing myself, so they sent guys to help me finish packing and they packed up well. Then, they got my stuff here in good timing and they unloaded it into a storage unit.

The bad part was, the things that were supposed to come did not come and the things that were not supposed to come did come. And it wasn’t really till I got here in Florida and moved into a place and started unpacking that I realized what happened. It's been very disappointing. But I lived in a house that had a large upstairs and basement, and at the time, I was trying to run up and down telling them which ones would go and which one wouldn't. So, there was kind of a miscommunication with the guys because somebody else would come and pack there and didn’t know that I said that it should't be packed. Also, I did not tell American Van Lines about that because there was no way to go back and get those things. It was done, so I didn’t know what else should be done.

The only other thing was, when they had to pack some of my stuff, they used paper. But my things should’ve been packed with bubble paper or something else that was more protective as I have found several things that have been broken and they're not replaceable. Other than that, the crew was great, very helpful and very professional.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I used American Van Lines for my move for work. Unfortunately, there was a complete lack of communication. I could not get responses for days. Then when the move was finally scheduled, it was not scheduled at a convenient time at all, which I think could have been avoided if there had been better communication in the front end. Consequently, I slept without a bed for a couple of nights because the move wasn't scheduled correctly. But the people who did the actual move were wonderful, both on pick-up and delivery.

Original review: May 3, 2019

My husband is retiring and because he’s retiring in the middle of the school year, my daughter and I had to move from Forney, Texas to Georgia. Someone quoted me $4000 for the move but we didn't have so much stuff. American Van Lines was the best because I only pay 18. They were very professional and accommodating. My experience with the moving coordinator was perfect. Moreover, the mover, Chris, was great. We’re putting the house in Texas up on the market this month and once we're ready to move the rest of the stuff from Texas, we're gonna use American Van Lines. And when I call them again, I’m gonna request Chris.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I used American Van Lines to send my son's stuff to his new house and everything went smoothly. There was just some minor damages, and I'm waiting to hear about my claim with the company. A set of bed slides was missing and the washing machine had a knob busted on it. Other than that, everything was good.

Original review: May 1, 2019

American Van Lines did a good job when I used them for my move from Memphis to Houston. The guy running the truck was phenomenal and he did everything. They picked up some local help wherever they are, and some of the workers were really good while some others were not. The ones in Memphis were very slow and didn't really wanna work or were trying to hide in the van. According to the van driver, they spent 2 to 3 times longer than they had to. However, the ones in Houston were great. They got right to work and they worked their tails off. They were done in no time. Then, there were a few things that were damaged. A little night stand got its handles messed up and taken off and so they don't work anymore. But it was a long way and a long ride a lot of stuff being moved, and my stuff went through multiple trips. Still, a few things getting damaged is what one would expect out of a move. I would recommend American Van Lines again.

Resolution response: May 6, 2019

American Van Lines and I resolved this to my satisfaction.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I hired American Van Lines for a 90 miles move that I had and they were easy to work with. And the lady, Toni, was extremely helpful. My house was for sale so she went online ahead of time to look at all the pictures to get an estimate as to what the weights may be, and then worked from there. She was flexible in scheduling.

However, the way American Van Lines did their billing was very unfair. I told the guy who came over about that, and it took him probably two hours on phone calls to go back to whoever he would go back to to work out. And then they went in my favor, but it was just frustrating because that was two hours that my household goods sat there in front of the apartment. So there was a delay with the service. They had ran out hours and that put me in a real bind because I got this thing scheduled two months in advance. I was extremely frustrated and disappointed that American Van Lines didn’t do something to work with me as a customer. I had to be out and then get the house cleaned for the move-in, and I had to move in an apartment.

Even so, the moving crew was fine. They did their job and they were easy to work with. But I would definitely make sure there’s a big clarification financially. And the way it worked is - we had an agreement that I would be charged X number of dollars per hour for a pod that had to get loaded. But then I ended up getting charged not only the per hour cost. I get charged for the weight of the boxes as well. So it was almost like I was double-charged. I was so frustrated that when I disagreed and we did it, I still really felt I was not treated fairly.

Original review: April 28, 2019

When I called American Van Lines, one of the things that I wanted was a move which would not entail having the goods transferred to a warehouse and being held there. The initial moving coordinator and I talked about this in some depth and he said that my stuff would be picked up directly by a truck that would be going up. But then, as it turned out, they were taken to a warehouse where they waited for a substantial amount of time. So he made guarantees when he should not have had.

Then, the times were long. Both the pick-up and the delivery happened outside of the windows that were given to us. While we were given something in compensation for that, still, it happened. But in the end, the move went well and all of our goods were delivered without harm so we were pleased with all that we got. The movers on either end were very responsible as well. One of the movers who loaded my stuff was the warehouse manager. Overall, we were relatively happy with American Van Lines.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I moved out of state and I used American Van Lines. I estimated the weight over the phone, and then when the moving company came in, they adjusted it to fit what was actually on the truck. The moving coordinator showed up and took a list of what we had then we put our things on the truck and it was gone. The crew who was here during the move was very good.

Original review: April 23, 2019

We had to move from Utah to Florida so we were in need for a transport company. American Van Lines was able to give us a better deal than the other ones were able to do. Also, I have seen people use them. We dealt with a very knowledgeable and very professional moving coordinator. She answered all the questions in a timely fashion. Moreover, the actual crew was able to come and pack all of our stuff earlier than expected as the people who bought our house in Utah was able to close early. The head driver who did all that was very nice. He was very knowledgeable and he did everything the way that we expected it to be done. The guys who packed did a very good job. They were very efficient and very thorough. They got everything together and was very kind and very considerate with us trying to move in my children. They were very sweet that we even got them lunch.

However, we had to put our stuff in storage because we didn't have a house when we relocated to Florida. We had to sell our house first, and the company puts us here, and then we had to find a house here. Our experience down here was good but, when we were moving into our home and getting our stuff, our experience was completely different. The crew handled the transport well. It was fine on the way but one of their guys forgot to pack a whole bathroom. He also forgot to pack up some stuff in the garage. He told a guy that he needed to hurry because his niece was dying of cancer which I did not know if it was true.

Also, they didn't have enough space in the truck for us. They had two other homes in there and they had to put some of our belongings on the outside of the truck. They accidentally packed up my keys and they found they had to go back through the boxes and found my keys. It took them maybe two days to pack up our house and load it up. I called about a week in advance and told them that we're moving into our house. Our closing date was like the 15th and I asked them if they could bring all of our stuff by the 19th because we were getting the house painted. At first, I was told no and that I wouldn't be able to get for another month. And then, I was told if it could be a day earlier and it was fine with me. Then, I got called again and they said it will be on Saturday. I said yes but that was the last day because we had to be out of the company housing on Saturday.

An hour before they were supposed to be here, I got a call asking if they can book it back until Monday. I told them I needed them here that day. They were supposed to be here in an hour and we had no place to go. So, the lady said that the crew won’t be able to get here until around 3 or 4. I said they gotta work through the night and my stuff gotta be put together in the house. The crew got here about 3:00 and at first, it was going pretty fast. Then, about halfway through, they started slowing down.

Around 8:00, the sun started going down. We brought a brand-new house but it did not have any lights in the bedroom. They crew started complaining that they had to take stuff upstairs. They didn't have time to put our stuff together. They had to go or they would have to sleep in the truck. It ended up that my daughter’s dress had holes stuck in the back of it, our couch was damaged and a lot of our personal coats and glass was broken. The guy who brought it here stuck some of our stuff in a very small truck and it looked like he just piled stuff on top of each other without any cause or care of how he did it.

My dresser is missing a hook as well and they did not know where it was. In fact, half of our stuff was in our garage and they didn't even put it in the rooms that they belonged in. My husband works, so it was just me trying to bring stuff from the garage inside the house. It was horrible. The unpacking outweighed the good of getting everything here. The bad is up in our mind more than the good does and one bad thing erases a lifetime of good. I may use American Van Lines again but I'd be sterner on how I would want things down instead saying they are professionals and they have it.

Original review: April 22, 2019

We were moving about a mile and three quarters and our realtor recommended American Van Lines to us. The moving coordinator who assisted us was very professional and very well-organized. He worked around us rather than we working around him. It had been an excellent experience. The actual moving crew came in on a Wednesday and they packed everything up. We had a couple of cases made and we took apart a table and they packed the rest of the table for us. Then, they loaded it that day.

They took off overnight and the following morning, they turned up to the new house and unloaded in a day so it took them two days in total. They did good work. It was impressive as there was one breakage in the entire thing but we just found out about three weeks after the move that we are one small box short. I must call them to find out but I'm sure they didn’t locate it because they would have called if they realized it by now. Despite that, they're very good.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I got a hold of American Van Lines quickly and they were willing to work with me. Not knowing exactly what I was moving and the timelines, there were some discrepancies. But overall, it came in line to what the quote was. The move was from California to Tampa, Florida, and everything was fine except for one little glitch. They wanted to deliver when I wasn't gonna be in Tampa, which delayed the delivery two weeks. But it's understandable because it just didn't match up with when the truck was gonna be in the area. The moving crew and the truck driver were great. They were very flexible. There were two different guys, and the one that on-loaded was fine. The guy that offloaded was fine, too. He was local. So, I was happy with them. I would recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My husband looked American Van Lines up online. He called another van line up and that was how he found out about American Van Lines. We used them on our move from California to North Carolina. Our moving coordinator was great, very helpful, and easy to talk to. And the consultant was also very helpful and always available if there was a question. The moving crew was very good. I couldn’t ask for anything better. I was really impressed about how fast they packed up everything and moved. It was amazing. They were very organized. We had our things in storage for three months because the house wasn’t ready. And when we moved in and called up to have our items moved in, it was very quick.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Worst moving experience we have ever had. Worst claims experience on top of that. We moved from Texas and purchased their storage for a little over a month. When our items were delivered everything seemed fine until we started unboxing. Upon unboxing and trying to set up our TVs we realized one of our TVs was busted internally. I wrote my moving coordinator immediately and sent pictures asap. She directed me towards the claims department and we filled out a claim. A few weeks later we realized other items were completely missing. The only one of significant value was an 8 foot tall Werner ladder, not something easily lost. I wrote another email to me moving coordinator to tell her about the missing ladder and she again forwarded me to claims.

The claims process has been ongoing for over 2 and a half months. Today we finally get a letter stating they be doing absolutely nothing about it. There reasoning being that we did not immediately write the inventory log that anything was damaged. Well the TV still in the box. Even if I would have pulled it out of the box I would have had to set it up and turn it on before knowing there was a problem. Also their inventory list is a carbon copy jumble of unreadable text. If you are unfortunate enough to use this awful company make sure to make a clear, readable copy of your inventory list and DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING until you have unboxed and turned on everything of value.

Original review: April 17, 2019

The moving coordinator from American Van Lines was very professional and very capable. He was very helpful with my move. The crew packed some of my stuff and I packed up boxes mostly. But, I was not entirely happy with them. They did not load up some of the boxes in the old address so I had to go back there to do a final clean-up and walk through with the landlord. I also found the stuff I was looking for that they should have brought. There were also a couple of items they said they could not transport such as laundry detergent and liquid stuff which I was okay with.

Then, when they unloaded, they put stuff on the shed that I had delivered to the property. I would recommend that they put a little forethought into it when they start unloading stuff. They didn't leave any access for me to get to the back of the shed so I can get stuff back there. I ended up having to unload a bunch of stuff to get to it. I hired a moving company since I have had back surgery. I'm 63 years old and a disabled vet. I can't do heavy lifting stuff like that. Despite that, they did the job and worked steadily.

American Van Lines FAQ

Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?

American Van Lines accommodates moving services during weekends with no extra fees, provided they are done during regular working hours. However, loading, transport and unloading services rendered after normal working hours are subject to overtime fees.

Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?

American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that fall under the prohibited items, such as hazardous materials, deadly weapons and illegal drugs. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Do we recommend American Van Lines?

American Van Lines specializes in a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses to relocate across the U.S. American Van Lines reviews indicate that over 80 percent of verified customers had a good experience with American Van Lines in the last year. About 17 percent of verified American Van Lines moving reviews reported some dissatisfaction. As with many big moving companies, common American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. Pricing is a consideration, but if you shop around for the best state-to-state moving services, you’ll find that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice.

American Van Lines Company Information