Call toll free
4.18/5

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Van Lines provides long-distance moves for individuals and businesses. AVL requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it’s worth it for the large fleet of shock-proof vehicles that protect the integrity of your belongings.

PROS

• Flat rate pricing
  • Easy booking process
  • Free quote

CONS

• Some weight limits apply
  • Deposit required

Top American Van Lines Reviews

01/31/2019

03/22/2019

They delivered on time and nothing was damaged. Their customer service was easily reachable and they helped me with my questions. Good experience in my opinion and I would therefore recommend American Van Lines.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including storage facilities during the moving process. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks to accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile high-value items, such as paintings, prized figurines and pianos.

Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. Backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

Local movingLong distance movingInternational moving
Full packing and crating services
Multiple delivery options
Flat-rate pricing system

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines offers a range of moving services:

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, American Van Lines can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience for you and your employee.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post can be a tall order. It needs comprehensive planning, has strict deadlines and requires some budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: Relocating business offices, stores, factories, banks, schools, libraries and other commercial establishments is an enormous challenge. AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of both new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: American Van lines is licensed to provide private storage compartments housed in fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment to preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, be they grand, vertical, electrical or digital. Movers also have experience in protecting your antique and fine art collections.

1866 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2019

I recently moved from Houston, Texas to Clover, South Carolina. My move was work related. After reviewing several companies online I chose to go with American Van Lines. The initial experience with the sales team was exceptional. I worked with Harold and he held our hand through the entire process, even when things got ugly.

Our nightmare experience was with the movers and drivers. In Houston we had items in the garage that we planned moving into storage once the items got to South Carolina. When we loaded we asked the driver and movers if they would load the items first or last because they'd go into storage. We also asked if the items would be labeled. The reply from the driver was that "It didn't matter because the items were being loaded into a larger truck". That turn to be the biggest mistake! When the items were delivered the driver in South Carolina hijacked our property because he did not want to make two stops: one at the storage and one at the apartment. He refused to unload. We had a back and forth with the office and the driver but he continued to change his story. He then said he couldn't unload because we had not paid. This was not true.

We called the office again sorted that out and then he still refused to unload because he said the items were not "tagged". We ended up in a back and forth with the driver and the customer service desk. We even had the customer service desk doubting our accounts of the driver's behavior. Harold ** and Cicely were superstars. Both tried to intervene and resolve the issues. In the end the damage had been done. Our experience had been ruined by the drivers and packers. When we started going through our items we found several damaged and loose items. How can you not pack something? After our nightmare experience we're hesitant to file a claim. If you're a customer looking for movers I would recommend you look harder.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Our experience is midway and has not been what we were lead to believe in our move from Texas to Michigan. All along we were told that a semi truck and trailer would come to the house to pick up our belongings. We were told that a shuttle truck would be necessary if the truck couldn't get to our house in the subdivision. Expecting a normal truck trailer would come to the house we have seen many trucks throughout the sub moving families in and out of our houses. Shuttle trucks are an added cost of hundreds of dollars. In the last week before the American Van Lines were to come pick up our belongings we were told it would be an 80 foot trailer because they were moving several families to the midwest. People, an 80 foot trailer will not be able to reach neighborhood homes at all or be able to access a storage unit or neighborhood home for delivery. So we needed 2 shuttle trucks, one for pickup and one for delivery.

Cost is rising quickly. This we feel is something they should have told us from the beginning and shame on us for not asking every detail of moving, such as the length of the trailer that is coming to a neighborhood home. We knew our belongings would fit in a 26 foot truck and didn't consider a trailer that large. Should have been upfront with that information. We were told that the shuttle truck would leave our home and go to scales to weigh our belongings before being transferred to this 80 foot trailer for shipment to Michigan.

Now it has been 8 days since picking up our belongings that we are charged by the weight and American Van Lines have yet been able to quote us an exact weight and cost of our shipment. They have 2 weeks to deliver our belongings to a storage unit in Michigan. This 80 foot truck/trailer would have to go to a location to transfer our belongings to a shuttle truck and then our storage unit. This is where we are in limbo. 8 days after our household has been picked up by American Van Lines with no quote on the cost that should have been calculated by April 1st, maybe even April 2nd. It is April 9th people.... Bad April Fools on us. Beware of movers. Ask every little detail. To be continued....

Original review: April 2, 2019

I was moving all new furniture from Colorado to New York. I was asked if I minded a third party truck to pick up my all new household furniture and items and transfer them to the American Van lines truck. That never happened. The same fly by night company that picked the furniture and household items delivered them in pieces and broken. Electric couch no longer electric because they didn't have power cords on truck. Brand new oak bedroom set destroyed with cracks and chips and scratches. Boxes marked fragile crushed and are now shards of glass. Boxes not marked fragile all in one piece. I will never, nor will anyone I know use this fraudulent company again. I am left in shambles. No one contacted me. Supposed to hear from Customer service Vice president Jeremy. Been waiting 6 days for this. Now I filed a dispute over the charges, I'm sure I'll be hearing from someone very soon.

Original review: April 1, 2019

They stole some of my item and broke and lot of things. They loaded my things on Thursday at Rockford IL and was to delivery on Saturday to Summerfield Fl. I'm 79-year-old and drove 960 miles on Friday to get here by Saturday. They delivery my things a week and a half later.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Did a non-binding contract with American Van Lines to move from Florida to South Carolina. Had initial unease due to bad experiences with other moving companies that wanted binding contracts and used third parties to do actual packing, loading, and delivery. However, my unease was completely unnecessary. From the first phone call to final delivery, this was the best household goods move that I have experienced out of 16 total in my career. Customer Service was professional and patient with the many questions and times I followed-up with additional queries.

I cannot say enough about Roberto, the driver and on-site leader who conducted the packing, loading, and delivery. He and his helpers were professional, experienced, very careful, courteous, and everything was packed, loaded, and delivered with NO damage!!! I was extremely impressed. Roberto was amazing! His experience and performance exceeded all of my anxieties and concerns. I went with American Van Lines because they are the one-stop shop for all moving issues rather than a broker who not only farms out the move execution but also the related responsibilities. American did not disappoint. Roberto did not disappoint AND he exceeded all expectations! Go with American.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: March 22, 2019

Original review: March 13, 2019

Worst moving experience ever. We were contracted me out to a Partner because they ran out of space. This was two days before I called because I had seen pre oils complaints of this and knew the experience would be horrible. The moving Partner showed up two hours later than window given then took three more hours to get truck weighed. So they didn’t start until five hours after the time they said they would be there.

So it was after 9 pm until they started and after midnight till they left. Neighbors with young children were upset because of how late their truck and movers were there being loud. They didn’t wrap most of my stuff and all of my bigger items were damaged in some way. Several of my shipping containers were totaled. Just a bunch of hired bodies who what had no idea what they were doing. I have an email from AVL trying to buy my silence and never mention this experience. They said, "Here is 150 for your troubles but you can never say anything bad about us and you have to change anything already out there." It was for $150. No joke. This is a legit review. Don't use this company. Be forewarned. You will be disappointed.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We called America Van Lines to move my mother from TN to VA. We received a Binding Estimate of roughly $2500 to move a master bedroom (Bed, dresser, 2 night stands, TV and a TV stand, Freezer, large safe and 25 additional boxes of clothing and miscellaneous items). We were given a 2 day guarantee window of February 26 or 27th. The American Van Lines agent called my husband and verified the 3rd party they hired would pick up the household goods on the 27th. My husband flew to TN based on this information as my mom was closing on her sold home on the 28th. After this confirmation, we received a call from their 3rd party letting us know they would not be arriving until the 28th. My husband then called American Van Lines back to get clarification, and they advised us that if they came on the 28th they would work with the 3rd party to reimburse in some way since it was outside of the guarantee window.

Lo and behold, the driver calls us back and he can make it on the 27th. When he shows up, he asks my husband why he called American Van Lines as "They don't know what I have on my truck." He was extremely argumentative and confrontational from the get go. After he loaded my mother's goods he left to the weigh station and sent my husband a text and stated that the weight of the items was almost 7000 lbs! My husband immediately called American Van Lines to dispute the weight. They advised us that when the driver came to drop off the items, we could meet them at the weigh station to watch them weigh the truck full and follow them back after they unload the truck and watch them reweigh. We were completely fine with that. The driver called Friday (March 1) and let us know that he was swapping our load with another driver from the same company.

My husband called American Van Lines to assure that the initial driver would inform the new driver of the reweigh that we requested. We sent our credit card information to American Van Lines along with a copy of my driver's license. The New driver calls my husband on Saturday morning and advised my husband that he could deliver Sunday morning, and my husband reminded him about the reweigh. He said he would call my husband 30 min before he arrived at the scale so my husband could meet him there. The driver arrived at the scale then called my husband Sunday morning. When my husband arrived at the scale (which was almost 30 min away from our home), he informed us they didn't receive payment from American Van Lines. My husband showed the driver the email where we sent the payment information to American Van Lines, but he said they did not get it.

He then asked my husband to talk to the original driver who was on the phone, who then accused my husband of trying to skip out on payment. When my husband offered to provide the credit card information that we provided to American Van Lines, the 3rd party carrier refused to accept the credit card payments and stated they would place our stuff in storage and we would have to pay daily storage. When my husband stated that the contract with American Van Lines states we can pay with credit/debit/cash/money order, the 3rd party supplier refused to accept any form of card, and demanded we pay cash or money order for the initial weighed amount which was roughly $7000. This is almost $4500 more than what our initial quote was. When we asked about the reweigh, they then said they would not give us a refund. We would have to take that up with American Van Lines.

American Van Lines stated we were to get the refund from the driver. The 3rd party carrier proceeded to leave and place our stuff in storage and my husband followed them and proceeded to call the authorities because it was obvious we were being scammed by this 3rd party. The officer tried to reason with the 3rd party, but could not intervene as he stated this was civil matter and not criminal. During all this, since it was Sunday, we were unable to get ahold of anyone at American Van Lines, including the after hours contact number. We had to leave without retrieving our items. I immediately emailed all our contacts at American Van Lines to let them know what had happened. They responded first thing Monday morning apologizing profusely for the incident. They then advised us that our items were to be delivered March 5th.

March 5th came and an agent (Rebecca) called my husband and asked if our items had been delivered which they had not. We never heard back from American Van Lines. My husband sent a follow up email that evening around 5:30EST asking for an update, in which we were told by the manager we were working with (Yesenia). She had forward our issue to Samuel (the leading Manager) who had been working to get an update. Samuel reached out to us around 730 EST and let us know that we should have our items delivered on Monday, March 11 and again apologized for the inconvenience and that we would be compensated and he would reach out to us on Friday to let us know what that would entail.

He left us a message letting us know that once again, the delivery would not happen until Wednesday through Friday. We are now WELL outside the 10 day guarantee of delivery as the items are sitting in a storage facility near our home. We attempted to contact American Van Lines today March 11 3 times, and have not heard back. My card has been charged for the FULL AMOUNT of roughly $7000 plus the $1200 we initially put down to have them come in the first place. We did not sign a contract with the 3rd party supplier that American Van Lines used, we signed it with American Van Lines. Today is day 12 with no real solid information on when we can expect our items to be delivered, with my cards fully charged for a weight that we strongly believe is incorrect.

Resolution response: March 10, 2019

The company has reimbursed me so I can repair some of my damaged furniture.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Stay away from this company! They destroyed a bedroom dresser (not repairable), misplaced a leg for an expensive China cabinet, and damaged (fractured off the trim, and scratched the finish) on a $7000 dining table. 3 floor lamps worth hundreds of dollars are damaged (fractured ceramic, and bent iron stems). Several pieces of our China was broken into pieces, despite being in boxes labeled "fragile" or "glass." Those boxes were crushed by the movers. Our aluminum patio furniture have scratches all over them, and they fractured the axle on a metal antique gardening cart. Two original oil paintings were not packaged at all, and exposed to pieces of furniture. The glass shattered in a few picture frames, and scratched the photos inside them, and one of the frames has to be thrown away due to severe damage.

I am glad that more pieces weren't damaged. I am still opening boxes, so hopefully won't find too much more in damage. I wish they could have been more careful, especially at the prices I paid. Their packaging rates are so high. They took more than 12 hours to load my stuff into the truck. I hired a different moving company (who I gave 5 stars to) to take the same items out of storage and into my house, and the entire load and unload only took them 6 hours. And the new guys were much more careful, efficient, and reasonably priced.

Do NOT use American Van Lines!!! I filed a claim in December 2018 for the damages, including clear photos, and they responded in March 2019, saying I should consider a $444 settlement to drop my claims against them. What an insult, for such a paltry sum, considering the damages and inconveniences they caused to my family and me. My huge mistake was I was not physically present when the movers delivered my items... so they took the liberty to be careless and downright destructive. They are using that against me, to defend their horrible actions. NEVER AGAIN!

Resolution response: March 8, 2019

After my review, American Van Lines reached out to me to resolve my complaints. We were able to come to a satisfactory resolution.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Disorganized is the best word to describe my experience. I was given 10 hours notice for pickup and only because I called the main line to ask. According to the site, it should be 24 hours. The pick up movers were nice guys but unprofessional and slow. My things were haphazardly shoved into the moving truck and it took 2 hours to move a 1 bedroom apartment from a storage unit to a moving truck parked 10 feet away.

Also, know that I was given a 3 to 25 day window for delivery and it took 22 days. I wasn't quite prepared to live without my belongings that long. From the sales rep, I received multiple emails regarding my bill amount due and how to pay it but was not able to secure a delivery date. I had to call the main phone number to finally get a date, which according to their records they had known for 3 days. My delivery date was delayed by an additional day, but I understand that these things happen.

The delivery guys were AMAZING! They came on time, were professional and quick. But now that I've unpacked I realize there are things missing. It's nothing huge (lamp shades, trash can, linens) but it all costs money to replace. Be aware that their refund policy for damaged/lost items is $0.60/pound, so I will not be getting much for my trouble. Moral of the story: They aren't the best and they aren't the worst. Just very mediocre. I'd pick another company, if I had to do it all over.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have had the worst experience with this company. They hire outside contractors for drivers which most of the time the drivers are extremely rude. Not only that but the American does not communicate at all with the movers. For example, they tell me that the movers take credit cards to pay for the move, but when I talk to the movers, they state they only accept cash or money order!! I don’t have thousands of cash in my bank account to pay in cash and that’s why I asked about credit card as an option for payment. I’m extremely disappointed how this move has gone and the lack of communication with the Van line and the mover. I will not be using them again!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

The packers were excellent! They put blankets on your furniture then shrink wrap it. That is all furniture! They took real good care of my stuff that I could see because it was placed in storage. They stayed in contact from start to finish they did not complain about anything and were very polite! I would recommend them to anyone! They work their butt off for 2 guys it went quick. My packers and drivers was Antonio and Louise.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

American Van Lines was recommended and it was very good from top to bottom. The crew during the move was very nice, and they were perfect gentlemen. The move took three days from NY. We could have been here earlier but we were not here. Overall, they were neat and comfortable, and they did their job well.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Everything about our experience with American Van Lines was really good. We moved from Boca Raton, Florida to Bedford, New Hampshire, which was approximately 1,500 miles, and it took a couple of weeks. It was some time in the middle of August and we got our stuff towards the end of August. The leader of the crew that picked us up was the same guy who delivered our furniture, and he was really good. In some instances, he went above and beyond what would have been expected and we appreciated all of his help.

We did have some items that were marginally damaged though, and we only found out recently. We moved into our house about two weeks ago and some of the stuff had been in storage for a couple of months. But I reached out to American Van Lines and they seemed to be willing to address it. They provided me with an email address to send photos of the damaged stuff. It's some stuff that had some meaning to us but it's nothing too significant and other than that, I'm happy with the service.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I considered another agency first but they were very costly. So, I did some research and see what I was working with. Then, I called American Van Lines to ask if they do residential moving and we used them back in September. Everybody there was nice. I worked with an awesome lady and told her what I was looking for. I gave her a five-day notice and she was able to pull everything together and make the move happen quickly.

I had two gentlemen during the move and they were very nice and friendly. They came in and worked hard from the time that they came in to the time they left. It took two hours to box me up and get me moved and another two hours to get me into the new place which is about six miles down the road. American Van Lines is good and I am gonna use them again when I move again in the spring. I had a good experience between the move, packing up, moving out and putting everything together. It was better than I thought it would be.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

We were moving from Connecticut to Florida. I looked into three companies and I also looked up American Van Lines online. American Van Lines was less expensive and could do the dates that I wanted them to do and they were really good about helping me with the packing information, so I chose them. The moving coordinator was really good about helping me make the purchase and estimate inventory. I called back a couple of times saying I forgot something and he would say it was not a problem. At that point, it was kind of like we were gonna move things ourselves until we realized we had too much stuff, so we were already getting a little frazzled. When the crew got there for packing, my husband and I were so exhausted. We had a lot of pictures that hadn’t been packed yet, and I just couldn't bubble wrap or tape anything else, and they did it for us but didn’t charge us anything extra. I really liked them.

American Van Lines said that when they picked up the stuff, the move could take up to two weeks, but they got there in three days. The only problem was we were missing a bunch of boxes and don’t know where they were. I think there were three moves on the truck, and they called us at one point and asked us if we had a couch. But we didn’t have an extra couch, so they lost somebody's couch and they also lost a couple of boxes.

I had put in a claim but unfortunately, I couldn’t prove anything because I didn’t have the barcodes for the boxes. One box contained a couple of antique, Chinese jewelry boxes and there was some cheap jewelry in there. I don’t know what the boxes themselves would be valued at today, but I’ve had them for 30 to 40 years, so they’re sentimental. However, at the beginning of December, they said it could take ‘til the end of January for them to evaluate the claim.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I had a very good interaction with the rep of American Van Lines and everything that we talked about was right on and agreed to. I decided to go with them because of the cost and being able to do what I needed to do. They were on time and did everything that they said they were gonna do. The crew was good too. The main leader was solid, very detail-oriented and he told me what was going on. The move was 20 miles and they were done in four hours. They also took a washer and dryer from my neighbors and they had no problem doing that.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On Friday October 5, 2018 my husband and I began to interview moving companies. We spoke with Juan and discussed the size of the move, locations, prices and dates. I told him that we wanted to be out by 11/6/18 and in by the 11/13/18. I was told that there would be a 3-day window for pick-up and delivery on each end. We agreed that the pick-up window would be from the 4th to the 6th, and the delivery window would be from the 11th through the 13th. We discussed this and I was told that it would not be a problem. We signed papers and returned them to Juan on 10/9/18. We did not notice the company had extended the delivery dates out to 11/18/18. We were not informed that American Van Lines would broker out our job to another company and did not find this out until the day they were supposed to pack and pick-up our goods.

We were called around 11:00 AM on 11/6/18, the day that they were supposed to pack and pick-up, that they could not come that morning because the truck had broken down and would call us when it was repaired. We did not know at that time that they were in Fresno, CA which is 119 miles away, approximately a 2.5-hour drive with normal traffic. It was also at this time that we found out our job was brokered out to Energy Moving. At that time, we looked up this company to discover that their online reviews were horrible. We were called later that day to tell us that they truck was not going to be fixed in time to pick us up that that and would “try” for the next day.

We had arranged for a hotel that evening at the Best Western in Gilroy, we called, explained our situation and they graciously canceled our reservation with no penalty. The next morning, we waited for word from the movers and they finally arrived mid-afternoon. The packing and loading began and quickly became a fiasco. I went through the house explaining what need to be packed, what stayed and showed them an area where I had put everything that was not to be packed and was going with us.

Numerous times we noticed that breakable items were being put into a box with no protection or wrapping and not necessarily with like items. Example one box contained: a lamp, the shade, yoga mat, silver mantle clock and clothes from master closet. Nothing was wrapped, and the clothes were just laying on top of it all, instead of being hung in the wardrobe boxes.

About 2 hours into the packing (by this time it was dark outside) boxes were all over the carport and street, I noticed that my purse was missing. It had been placed in the area with the other items that were not to be packed. When I told the driver about this, he explained that it couldn’t be, that I must be mistaken. No, it was packed. I went out with one of the packers and opened approximately 20 boxes and finally found it at the bottom of a wardrobe box. The box was also packed with hanging clothes and clothes that were just wadded up and pushed through to the bottom. It also contained other household items that did not come out of the clothes closet. During the search, I found numerous of these 20 boxes that were not properly packed - some items from all over the home just thrown into boxes with no organization at all.

We were supposed to be staying in Fernley, NV that night at the Super 8 Motel but had to cancel our reservation and pay over $120.00 for the room because it was taking long to pack. At 12:30 AM on 11/8/18 the movers finally finished what was supposed to be a 5 hour job. My husband and I drove to Sacramento, approximately 150 miles and arrived around 3:00 AM and stayed at the La Quinta Inn.

The morning of 11/8/18 we left Sacramento and drove to Winnemucca, NV spent a night. The next day we drove to Caldwell, ID. We stayed in the La Quinta Inn. We kept in constant communication with American Van Lines - numerous personnel trying to get a date for delivery. It was on one of these calls that we were told that they had until 11/18/18 to deliver per our contract. This was obviously very upsetting and explained that no one had ever mentioned this to us, but after reviewing the contract we saw that the date had been amended from what had been agreed to. It but still did not believe that it could take that long. In fact, the driver had told us that it could be there as early as the 11th. Our original reservation had been from 11/10/18 to 11/14/18. We had to extend our reservation at the hotel 3 times, each time with no guarantee of a delivery day, except to say that the contract said it had to be there by the 11/18/18.

The movers finally arrived at 7:00 AM on 11/22/18 which was Thanksgiving Day. While unpacking our belongings, we discovered that very important items were missing: a file cabinet with tax records, passports, military records, medical records; statue that was the last gift received from a deceased parent, and furniture. A couple of days later, fortunately it was found in a crate that was left behind in Fresno. They finally delivered it to us the following week. It was on this delivery that we found out that the crew had been overbooked by their office and should have been here days before. Instead, our delivery had been diverted. The crew was sent to a client that had a huge home with museum quality goods to pack and move, which took an additional 3 days.

Further, getting up the day after the initial delivery we discovered that our very expensive mattress, which had been wrapped and loaded on the outside of the truck had gone through a snowstorm, was wet. When we called to discuss this urgent matter, we were told to just file a claim. This was no help at all. We had to give up our holiday with friends, we had to extend our stay at the hotel, we were mentally stressed due to all of these factors. All of this is bad enough, but with all the extra days in motels and having to buy 3 meals per day we spent well over $1,400.00 that we had not budgeted for. What should have been a joyous move, retiring and moving to a new home turned out to be a nightmare which we are still financially and emotionally suffering from. Please never hire these people, they are a disaster.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The team from American Van Lines was excellent. All of my stuff were secured and nothing was damaged. We moved in and out, got into the apartment to here, and everything went smoothly. It was a good experience. However, the cost was a little bit high. It was twice as much as what we had expected and we didn’t know we were gonna pay so much. I told to the person when they were doing the billing that it should have been explained some more because we were thinking that it was that cost for the move and everything. But we had to pay upfront, so we didn't have any choice at that time. Nevertheless, I would still recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

We bought a new house and needed to move about 15 miles. I called several different moving companies and American Van Lines had the best rates. Plus, I felt like that they had a good reputation because my whole life, I’ve been seeing their trucks all over the place. The lady who set the move up was great. She was very knowledgeable about what she does. I had a lot of questions and she had the answers.

However, the movers got there late. Plus, they didn’t have the tools that they needed to take the furniture apart. One of our family members had to run the supervisor to Walmart to buy tools. He thought he was gonna have to pay for the tools himself and finally got a hold of the right person at American Van Lines. I had asked for certain things to be wrapped, but they went overboard with it and were wrapping up everything in the whole house. I finally had to stop them because we had paid for a certain amount of hours. They were just eating up time constantly wrapping stuff. I felt like they were trying to add more time.

Once the movers got here at our new home, they kept watching their watches. They knew they were past the time that they had allotted for us to move. When they got there, they didn’t have to move anything, except for the refrigerator, the appliances, and the furniture. My husband had just about done it all for them. He ended up moving the majority of what we moved to our new house.

The movers tried fitting a French door refrigerator through a door that was obviously too small. Instead of stopping, all of them got in behind that refrigerator and tried to push it through that door. What they did to our refrigerator was awful. It’s dented, scratched and has white paint all over it from the house. It’s a black refrigerator. I mailed in the claim about a week or two after we moved in, which was in October and we have not heard anything back. I’ll never use American Van Lines again.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We were moving 3,000 miles away and we needed a moving company. My husband did the research and he chose American Van Lines. He had more interactions with the reps than I did, and the interactions were satisfactory. We had some minor things that got broken and scratched during the move, but we fixed things on our own and it wasn't something to make a deal out of.

It's my understanding that they move more than one family at a time, so they have more than our stuff on there. I don't know if they rearrange things later as they move on to pack someone else's things in the truck, but we had a bad situation with a very expensive dining room table. They took my table apart, which I wasn't really thrilled about, and I didn't like the idea that they wanted it completely unassembled. But when they got it to this end, nobody could put it back together, and it was a fiasco. The table still does not sit right because they took it apart, so we're dealing with it as it is. I think what they were trying to do was take everything apart so they could fit as much in that truck as possible. By doing so, they could damage things. Still, the people at American Van Lines were nice and they worked really hard. They were not perfect and they made a few screw-ups, but for the most part, they were good.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

DO NOT WALK BUT RUN from this company. Consistent broken promises and lies. I would suggest a more reputable moving company like Mills Van Lines or their parent company. I could list all the items that have gone wrong but I suggest you read all negative comments and that is what you get. Here are a few suggestions if you take a chances with American Van Lines Inc.

Register a complaint on movingscam.com. Notify the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Lodge a complaint with the Department of Transport (DOT). File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). File a complaint with Consumer Affairs. Notify Move Rescue for assistance. American Van Lines Inc has consistent pricing with all other movers so be warned.

American Van Lines response

We are sorry we delivered you 4 days late and for the inconvenience it caused your family. As you know, our driver was hospitalized so we informed you of the delay ahead of time. Your review leads people to believe it was more than just a delayed delivery and that somehow you were scammed. You can't list "all of the things that went wrong" because our delay was the only issue you had and you are being compensated for it. It is my understanding that after our conversation, you are now satisfied with the delivery and this delay issue is resolved.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

American Van Lines was a little less in price than the other company I looked at. The moving coordinator I worked with was really good and helped me out a lot. The date that I moved fluctuated by a couple of days and she was willing to work with me to make sure my dates were flexible. The moving company came in, and the two guys in a truck packed up my old apartment and put it in my new one in a span of about five hours. They weren't in the time window that they said they would be, but they were good. I was running late to get back up to my new place for an appointment and they packed up all the rest of my stuff and met me up there. That was nice of them to do. Overall, I was happy with the service.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I called American Van Lines seeing that their customer rating and comments were very positive. The reps that I dealt with were very good, professional, and very helpful. The moving crew was also very professional and they wrapped all the furniture very well. It was very impressive. I waited a little long for them to arrive though. It was within the range I was told, but it would be better if they arrived sooner. It was very inconvenient when we were already in the place, but we were still waiting for the furniture. Other than that, I was satisfied with all the service. It was great and the price was fair. I would recommend it.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I googled American Van Lines and they had good reviews on Yelp and the Better Business Bureau. They were also responsive and gave me a reasonable price quote. Some of the other van line companies insisted on sending somebody to my house to do the measurements and the estimates in person which I didn't have time for but American Van Lines was able to do it when we needed to. The rep who assisted me with my purchase was helpful, responsive and she always called me back. She never left me hanging, which was rare. It was a great experience especially compared to the horrible experience with the other moving companies.

I was on the top floor of an old 1920's building in Washington, DC and they needed to move my one bedroom full of stuff. It was over 3,000 pounds of furniture and belongings, so they needed to move that out and down. Since I was in the city, they couldn't bring their semi-truck in, so they needed to go to U-Haul and get a shuttle vehicle to move all that stuff in. They were able to do all of that and then, they drove that 1,600 miles to South Texas. The crew was quick, pleasant, professional and good communicators. We liked them. The rep who assisted me with my move knew what I was talking about. She didn’t get any of the information mixed up which could happen when you are coordinating a bunch of different moves for a bunch of different people. She was able to keep everything straight so, it was easy. I never feared when I called her that she didn't know who I was.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

We got a couple of bids from other van lines, and American Van Lines had the best rate. The interaction we had with the coordinator was okay. However, we were a little frustrated with the timing because they didn’t deliver on time and we didn’t get our items until after 11 days. But when they arrived, everything was great. Our driver was awesome, and the people who delivered the items were nice. There were a couple of broken glasses, but those are only minor things. Logistically, American Van Lines move multiple people in that huge van line. But I would definitely suggest more demographic areas because the driver had to go all the way to Texas, and then back down to California. It probably caused the delay. They should just go state to state instead of going up and down.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My wife found American Van Lines online, and she contacted them and got a quote. Their quote was good enough. We love the moving coordinator who assisted us. She was personable and down to earth. We had a great connection with her from the beginning. If she would have been somebody who was less personable, we probably would have had some doubts or some second thoughts about going with them.

We had a good moving crew. They were very helpful, quick and did everything that they needed to do.There was somebody who put a dent in the wall. But it was fixable. They did their job well and I appreciated them. We got along really good. They picked up the day before we were supposed to move into the new house, and it was right during the holiday too. But then the guy who was buying our house, had some problems at the last minute with his getting the approval of FHA. So there were some real questions about whether or not we would be able to move into the house.

When we checked the moving company they said, “Well, we had to take everything off of the trucks and put it in the storage. And then we’ll have to put it back on the trucks, and it’s gonna cost you extra for that time period because we need our trucks.” I told my realtor we weren’t gonna pay a lot of extra money because his realtor should’ve known that everything needed to have been finalized before they told us. But it eventually got straightened out and it was only a day delay by time they delivered it. Overall I would recommend American Van Lines. If somebody asked me who we had I would tell them and say that I was pleased.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I looked into many companies but American Van Lines originally said there was a 90%-95% chance that they could do the move in one day, so I went with them. It turned out, however, that wasn’t the case and that made me a bit upset. During the pick up, the crew wasted an hour, saying there was more stuff than they thought and they had to count everything. It probably took them two and half hours to take the first package out of the house even though everything was boxed and by the door. One guy had to call the home office while the other two weren’t really doing anything. They brought out some boxes, packaging and things until the other guy got the okay to start moving.

I knew ahead of time that the initial amount was based off of an estimate, and everything with the move was done based off of the weight of the truck and the weight of my stuff. So, I didn’t understand why it was taking so long. It didn’t really matter if there were little boxes or not. I used small wine and beer boxes to pack things so they were easier to lift versus using bigger boxes. Instead of having the normal-sized moving box that would be three times as much in weight, I used a wine box. There might have been more boxes, but the weight was about the same. Yet that played into the fact that we didn’t get the move done in one day.

The other issue was that they said they would get there between 9:00 and 11:00. My thought was if you’re trying to move somebody in one day, you would get there at 9:00, especially when there’s a four-hour drive between locations. But they got there at 11:15, which kinda put it out of the same-day move. In my mind, at that point, I had to get a hotel room because my bed was on the moving truck, so I wasn’t overly happy with that. Plus, I have a dog, and there are always extra charges with dogs in hotel rooms.

American Van Lines had me talk to the lady in Texas that set up the move, and also to the local dispatcher in North Carolina. But there has never been any conversation with anybody about compensation for all the troubles I went through. American Van Lines did a good job with the actual move. They moved everything properly, and I only had one or two things that were broken, so I was happy with that. If I'm trying to get the move done in a day, I’d probably go with one of the smaller companies where I could talk to the people ahead of time and get them on the same page.

American Van Lines said they had tried to get in touch with me early in the week. But I was finishing out a job, and I work 12-hour days as a physician’s assistant, so there was no time to talk on the phone. But I was told everything was set up and I was told what was gonna happen. When somebody tells me there’s a 95% chance something is gonna happen, that’s my expectation. Still, they did not lie to me. They just didn’t exactly push the truth all the way.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I saw American Van Lines on the internet and I also looked around. I went with them because their price was okay and the moving coordinator who helped me was great. I had to move my moving date 4 times because of the storm coming in and then I couldn’t close on my property, so he was really great to work with me to fix the schedule every time.

I was separated and I had to move to a place that is 50 minutes away. The move went great. I already had my boxes packed so all they had to do was load and unload which took about 5 hours. However, my screen door got broken in the process and I didn’t notice it at first. They didn’t take the door off the hook and now, the door will not shut anymore. It seems like the door and the frame are not aligned anymore. I know that the front door was perfectly fine before but now it'll hit me in the butt by the time I walk in. I had few large pieces of furniture and I have a really large shrunk that I brought from Germany that's really heavy, and

that might have been what caused the problem with the door. Since too much time had passed, I didn't contact American Van Lines anymore. Besides, stuff like that happens when one moves and the people were really nice.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I wanted to use a local company that is nationally recognized and I ended up with American Van Lines. We had to change the day a number of times and the coordinator was always very helpful. However, there was a slight damage on my furniture. It was reported but nothing ever got done about it. I didn't follow up on it because I expected American Van Lines to follow up. But for the most part, we were satisfied with the moving crew that helped with our move. I recommend American Van Lines.

American Van Lines FAQ

Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?

American Van Lines accommodates moving services during weekends with no extra fees, provided they are done during regular working hours. However, loading, transport and unloading services rendered after normal working hours are subject to overtime fees.

Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?

American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that fall under the prohibited items, such as hazardous materials, deadly weapons and illegal drugs. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Do we recommend American Van Lines?

American Van Lines specializes in a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses to relocate across the U.S. American Van Lines reviews indicate that over 80 percent of verified customers had a good experience with American Van Lines in the last year. About 17 percent of verified American Van Lines moving reviews reported some dissatisfaction. As with many big moving companies, common American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. Pricing is a consideration, but if you shop around for the best state-to-state moving services, you’ll find that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice.

American Van Lines Company Information