4.57/5
Based on 426 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your local, commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 21, 2018

1702 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 21, 2018

I got a couple of quotes from moving companies and American Van Lines had the same quote so, I just went ahead with them. Marcus, our moving coordinator, was initially good but he dropped the ball two or three times and I was unhappy with that. The first one was when I asked if our large mirror could be considered furniture and if they could wrap it up or sent separately. He said sure and told us to send him a photo to ask their quality assurance department. He said he would get back to me but he never did and we had to box up before the movers came. I just ignored it and the mover assisted us in moving it.

Then, the first call I got that the movers were coming was from the driver. Marcus never informed me via email or call that they were going to come the next day. I had about an 18-hour heads up that the drivers were coming. I called him on a Saturday to ask if it could be pushed back at all and I knew I was limited by calling him on a Saturday. And I knew some things are unchangeable but we didn't get a 24-hour notice which is what I thought we were supposed to get. Marcus said he would look into it and get back to me. I didn't hear anything and I called back and realized the office closes at three o'clock. I haven't talked to Marcus since and I don't care to.

But the crew during the move was great. Tim and Ralph were very helpful and understanding. Tim was really good with the whole process, the move, and the delivery. He told me when they left. They were going straight from our location to our storage unit. So, he told us what day and time and he was flexible with that as far as where to meet.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Couldn't ask for nicer guy than Brian in working out all the details for us. The crew that actually showed up were likewise a fabulous group of guys. They made everything so easy... and fun. Great sense of humor while doing a tough job. Thank you to all involved.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I worked with American Lines and the moving coordinator was good. The moving crew were also fast, efficient and did a good job. Everything was fine with the condition of the items when it arrived. So use them.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I was happy with American Van Lines' service. The people who came to pack my things did a fantastic and wonderful job. I was very impressed. In everything from moving my stuff from the warehouse to my new place, the movers were very helpful and patient. However, there was some items that were damaged and some items were lost and have not yet been recovered. I'm particularly upset about my new bedroom set. Different pieces were damaged. There were gashes and scratches. I also have a TV stand where the glass shelves are missing. I can’t use the stand without replacing the glass shelf and I have to have them made. I filed a claim for my lost and damaged items. They sent help and told me what to do. Now I’m just waiting. Other than that, it was good.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Very professional move from start to finish. Would absolutely refer American to family and friends. Dishes were wrapped and packed properly. All furniture was properly wrapped. It was a small move and the entire move lasted only a few hours. Crew was polite.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: April 18, 2018

Movers arrived on schedule and went right to work. Very friendly, helpful, and efficient. Definitely went the extra mile when certain items were not as prepared as they should have been. Truck arrived at the North East destination as promised (only a few days) and the cargo was offloaded quickly and efficiently. Have not opened every box yet but all looks in good shape; no damage to outer cartons.

Original review: April 18, 2018

We decided to get out of Asheville and move down to Maiden. American Van Lines had good reviews and when we paid for the service, it was all said and done. Their moving consultant was great, though their crew was a little hesitant at first. We actually made them lunch and they loosened up a little bit and were great to deal with. And overall, I didn't have any problem with American Van Lines.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I heard about American Van Lines from a real estate agent that sold our condo in Florida. Our moving coordinator, Brian, did a great job. We were satisfied 100%, except we just had an issue with one of our paintings. I guess when they wrapped it, they didn't wrap it tight enough which damaged the frame which we have a claim in for now. I did it at like the middle of March and they say they have 120 days to look at the claim. But the guys who packed and unpacked my stuff were great.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We decided to move to Colorado and enjoy it. Then we did a search on reputable moving companies and American Van Lines popped up. It was on a retirement site. Their moving consultant was very helpful. She called in to check on us to see if things are going well and if we had any questions and my questions got answered. However, it was clear that I was not familiar with moving terminology as the coordinator was. Sometimes, I had a hard time understanding what she was talking about. But the only complaint is I didn’t realize that once I contract to have my things moved, the moving coordinator moves on and passes it over to someone else. And I spent several times calling the coordinator and trying to get some questions answered but she never returned the call. And then I later found out it was because my account had been given to a customer care representative who worked very well.

The crew was extremely careful, polite and pleasant. They’re fun to work with. It was the same crew that packed us up unloaded us so we knew who to expect. That didn’t happen the first time we moved a few years ago. It was an entirely different crew and we found out our stuff had been transloaded or warehoused so there was more chance for it to either get lost or damaged. This one was no damage, no loss. We’re very pleased with the move.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I was surfing the web for moving companies. Two Men and a Truck came up first then American Van Lines was second. When I spoke to Two Men and a Truck, they wanted way too much money while American Van Lines was a lot cheaper, so I went with them. The rep I worked with answered all my questions. I told him what I had and he booked me up. I moved about 20 miles and he was very helpful. I told him what I needed and when I needed to do it and he got things done easily. The moving crew also bent over backwards for me and were very professional. I’ve recommended American Van Lines to others.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I was relocating to a different state and a colleague told me about American Van Lines. They’re very helpful and prompt on returning on my calls, and I had no issues and no property damage. It’s good to go with them. I had a fair interaction with the rep and the driver was nice too. Everything went smooth and well and I would definitely recommend them to my other colleagues and friends.

Original review: April 11, 2018

These guys are so great, fast and reliable. They got my stuff moved from North Carolina to Florida in 1 day. No shady business or trying to change the price on you like what I heard happens with some other companies. Everyone from their customer service to their movers was very professional and competent. I highly recommend this company for anyone who is looking for a hassle free move.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I really recommend American Van Lines to anyone in need of movers. They were GREAT! Do yourselves a favor and let them handle it, was the best decision I did. If the scale was 1 thru 10 they'd be 11, honestly!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Very pleased with service; from the sales rep, account manager, and the crew that did the move. The gentlemen worked well together and did excellent work, the moving crew was professional and courteous; my husband and I were very pleased.

Original review: April 8, 2018

My wife did a bunch of research, but in the end, the prior reputation of American Van Lines especially the two positive moves by our son was how we ultimately settled on choosing them. The moving coordinator was very responsive. We talked regularly. I oftentimes had to play a bit of phone tag. But overall, as we finalized the estimates and make a few changes at the end, it worked out well.

It was about 1,000 miles move, from Dallas to Prescott. We originally were given a three-week window of delivery so it was a wide range and we just estimated because we had a very small load. Our load was maybe a quarter of the big semi truck, really small. We found out on the day of the move that they were going to deliver the next day or the day after. And so the delivery arrived at our destination here in Prescott three or four days before we arrived. And so that caused a bit of turmoil because we had to arrange with the apartment complex to let them in to this empty apartment that had just been refurbished. As a tenant, we

were supposed to walk through, make a note of anything that’s damaged before we move in.

However, I couldn’t do that because we had to open the apartment to allow the movers to bring everything in and so we wouldn’t know afterward what was pre-existing damage, what may have been damaged by the movers. But in the end, we had given the driver a floor plan as to where to place the major furniture pieces and he made sure everything went where it needed to be. In fact, there was even a subcontractor involved to move a gun safe. So there was a lot of coordination that had to happen on the pickup end and the delivery end. Patrick, the driver and the person in charge on the day of the move, and the moving coordinator took care of that.

The apartment complex and the management here did what they could do. But they basically said, “You know, we're just going to open the apartment door and if they're done by the end of business day, great. If they're not, we're not going to come back to lock up the apartment.” So, it was kind of a worry because the door remains unlocked. That was the main thing that was a negative, but overall it was extremely positive. Every box we opened was meticulously wrapped. We found no damage of any sort on any of our goods. So the packing and all that was great. If we move again, we will definitely hire American Van Lines to do it.

Original review: April 7, 2018

The original movers that we've had made a deal that they couldn’t live up to and didn't want to give back the deposit, so when we switched to American Van Lines, I was very nervous. I was thinking that everything would go wrong. But Allan, our moving coordinator, was very good in taking care of everything. I was also very appreciative of the two gentlemen who did the packing up. They were wonderful. I've packed a lot of things myself, yet a lot was left and they packed up quickly and efficiently.

Once my things were actually on the move, Allan was no longer the coordinator. They put somebody else in and although he was helpful, he didn’t just keep me up to date. I was nervous because I wasn’t getting any delivery time until the last minute. It took me until the day before the delivery to get a day, but then I didn’t get the time of day. I was also told the driver would be in touch with me, but he never did. In fact, he got lost and I had to drive around until we could find him. For some reason, his GPS didn’t take him to where it belonged. The gentleman who delivered my things was fine too, but I was told there would be two people. And since he was alone, it wasn't quite as easy. In the end though, everything worked perfectly fine and I'm overall pleased with the move. If somebody would ask me about American Van Lines, I would say they were just fine.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Don’t use this “mover”. Here’s the bottom line: they did a lousy job on my move, and tried to pay me off in exchange for keeping quiet—ie, not warning others like you. Now, in more detail: American Van Lines is actually a broker of moving services, which means they subcontract the actual move out to unknown entities over whom they have no quality control. It's the luck of the draw and I drew a nightmare.

The guy who came brought his 10 year old kid to "help" with the move. He slept an 1 1/2 hour nap in the middle of the move day, and constantly changed his mind about when during "the window" he'd show up to pack and unload. When he arrived at the move-in site at 8:30pm for a 7-8 hour estimated unload, I told him it was too late to start that night. I called the company and complained, and they agreed—and phoned him to say so, but had no control over him so he threatened to charge a $500 overnight fee to start the next day.  Faced with that, he started unloading and finished at 3:30am.

American Van Lines appears to have only excellent reviews online, but I learned why. Due to my botched job they offered to refund me $580 in fees, but the catch was that I was to sign away the right to post a review. Tempting, but I rejected their offer as I’d rather warn others. That explains the lack of negative reviews. Smarter shoppers than me will want to move with movers who are employed by the company and drive a company owned truck.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I found American Van Lines through the internet. They contacted me and stayed in communication. Their moving crew was very good. If I move again I will definitely consider going back to them. Others should chat with American Van Lines and see if they would do the same for them as they did for me.

Original review: April 5, 2018

The moving coordinators of American Van Lines were responsive and very helpful. They talked to us about how much product we were going to move and they anticipated how much room we needed in the truck, and they were accurate with that. They were also very good about getting back to us. First, they gave us a window of three days for the truck to be here. Then we got a couple of days before they told us the definite time and day of the truck's arrival, within a window of a couple of hours, and that was very good. The movers were very friendly and nice. They worked hard and they kept working so their productivity was good. I've mentioned American Van Lines to the people in the organization that I work for.

Original review: April 4, 2018

On the pickup date, American Van Lines was a day late and they didn't keep me in the loop so we had some issues about that. All the movers were very nice but the whole coordination was bad because we were due to fly out on that day. It was nerve-wracking to not know we're going to get picked up. We tried to reach the moving coordinator staff but American Van Lines is on the East Coast in Florida and we're on the West Coast in Nevada. So because of the time difference, we were able to reach them very late after a lot of calls and not very happy voicemails I’ve left them. Finally, one of the managers reached out to us and they assured us that they're going to make it happen even if they have to buy us another plane ticket.

We had to reschedule all that, but it would have been nice if they've done that beforehand. The manager did his best for the way it has offered me in writing compensation for the mismanagement. When the crew showed up, they did a good job of packing and did it quickly. They were late but they were all good. American Van Lines should double check their pick-up dates and see if the timelines are realistic. It’s not just an issue with them because I've seen it with others as well but they handled it well.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Everyone that I dealt with at AVL was courteous and professional. It made the entire process easy. Would recommend AVL to friends and family or anyone planning on making a move. If we move again would definitely use AVL again.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I’ve used American Van Lines' services in the past. This time, I had to move for work and my experience in speaking with their moving coordinators was good. They stayed in touch with me continually, making sure everything was going okay. My interaction with the moving crew was positive and I didn’t have any problems with them whatsoever. They were productive and always very helpful.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We were relocating and moving back from Virginia to Texas, and we did a web search trying to see who we could find. I talked to one person from American Van Lines when I was setting up initial conversations and using their app on my phone to walk around and show them the items in the house. He did a good estimate from walking around the house and explaining things as I went around. As the date came closer, I was contacted by another person who coordinated and kept me up to date on their arrival and how quick it would take them to drop my stuff off. That was pretty good as well, though he was a little difficult to reach from time to time. He didn't always pick up, and sometimes I ended up calling the main number and asking for them and somebody would go find them.

I watched and talked to the moving crew a lot. The helpers were different than the ones out here 'cause the driver told me that they didn't have a local office. The driver did well, but the helpers weren't quite as good. They seemed to complain about a lot of things and frankly, I didn't like them too much. But when they were dropping things off, it was completely different because the helpers were employees of American Van Lines and they were much friendlier and much more helpful.

Original review: April 1, 2018

We were moving six miles just to downsize and my wife was looking for good moving companies and getting recommendations from neighbors. American Van Lines was competitive price-wise, and their moving coordinator was very friendly, helpful and cheerful. Also, the moving crew was very good, professional and quick. They moved very quickly, less than the maximum time that we were suggested.

Original review: March 31, 2018

The moving coordinator and moving crew of American Van Lines that helped us were good and professional. They couldn’t bring the things in my driveway from the beginning because the road is winding and there's a hill. And they basically said if we wanted to get it here we got to pay for that. What they have to do was rent a truck and park at some parking lot somewhere nearby our house. And we were going to have to transfer back and forth loading up things.

I understand why but they should have told me that up front. So I was very pleased with all of their work but I was not pleased with the fee. They worked very hard because we were not prepared Initially they wanted $5,000 but talking with them they brought it down about $2,000. He said, “The most we could come down would be $3,500.” I said, “What am I supposed to do?” We have to struggle to come up with the money. But other than that we were really happy with everything else. It was just a horrible event if you're moving from one place to another and the last minute to find out that they want $5,000.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I'm in the military and when I asked around people directed me American Van Lines. The moving coordinator was very helpful, very direct and straightforward. Most of the items came from Pennsylvania to California. The primary means of communication was face to face on day one. And then if I had any issues or questions I called and that happened once. It was a little hard getting in and out of the area that I was at but I offered to help the moving crew just because from the truck to my house the moving crew had to basically go a city block with every single item. I'm overall happy with the service.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My realtor recommended American Van Lines. I've had a couple of moves and the most recent one from Florida went well. Everything went fine with the rep who assisted me. He was very personable, confident, and reassuring. During the move, the crew was good and conscientious, and they seemed to care. I paid $6,500 which is a lot of money and I went with American Van Lines even though their cost was higher, but the move turned out to be fine. They might be too expensive, but they were good.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The team was very organized and did a good job with the packing and our move. Ester in Customer Service was frequently contacting us to make sure we were aware of scheduling and timing for everything and she followed up on each phase of our move to make sure we were taken care of. Thanks American Van Lines! And thanks Ester!

Original review: March 27, 2018

American Van Lines was on a website recommending the best moving van companies. They were quite upfront with everything, very businesslike and no hidden fees. They sent me an inventory and I filled it out. I had done a lot of packing beforehand so it was pretty straightforward. During the move, the crew was very professional. They moved so fast that we had to try to catch up to get to the destination. I'd recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: March 27, 2018

My moving day went very well from beginning to end. Customer service and Brian reassured me I would have the size truck I requested and they did. The 4 gentlemen were very professional and did a terrific job. I would definitely recommend American Van Lines as my experience was a good one. Thank you.

American Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American Van Lines is a local, commercial and long distance mover that is also a family-owned business. They are headquartered in Pompano Beach, FL, and can help with moving nationwide.

• Local moving: The company does a lot of local, residential and commercial moves. These moves are within short distances and the cost is affordable.

• Corporate: They have a team of moving specialists that help with corporate moves and are capable of moving entire companies.

• Military moving: American Van Lines understands the needs of military moves, which require comprehensive planning and strict deadlines.

• Visa and immigration services: American Van Lines can help customers obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and other paperwork.

• Storage: The company also offers storage facilities to help companies and families safely store their belongings while they are in the process of changing locations.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs