2. Movers
Accredited Partner

Pompano Beach, FL

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.11/5

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

American Van Lines provides long-distance moves for individuals and businesses. AVL requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it’s worth it for the large fleet of shock-proof vehicles that protect the integrity of your belongings.

PROS

• Flat rate pricing
  • Easy booking process
  • Offers storage options

CONS

• Some weight limits apply
  • No online quotes

Top American Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

The packers were excellent! They put blankets on your furniture then shrink wrap it. That is all furniture! They took real good care of my stuff that I could see because it was placed in storage. They stayed in contact from start to finish they did not complain about anything and were very polite!

They delivered on time and nothing was damaged. Their customer service was easily reachable and they helped me with my questions. Good experience in my opinion and I would therefore recommend American Van Lines.

American Van Lines Get a Quote

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, American Van Lines can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post can be a tall order. It needs comprehensive planning, has strict deadlines and requires some budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: Relocating business offices, stores, factories, banks, schools, libraries and other commercial establishments is an enormous challenge. AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: American Van lines is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
  • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: July 24, 2020

I loved American Van Lines. I knew they were a big company and I figured they would be good. However, they give you another company called Baker International that you could buy insurance from and I could never get in to buy extra insurance. They ask you for the job number, and I put it in, but maybe they figured I wasn't worth it. I only wanted $10,000 worth of insurance and maybe that's why I had a hard time buying the insurance. Anyway, that company is not user-friendly and that was a big thing. I was disappointed 'cause I would have bought insurance, even though my stuff was less than $10,000.

Other than the insurance, the whole experience was great and the American Van Lines employees are awesome. The first person I talked to when I called was Helen at American Van Lines, and her extension was **. Anytime I had anything to do with anything, I would call her. She was great and she was my favorite lady. I didn't wanna bring home that much and Helen told me to let them know two days before if I had anything extra. On the day of the pickup, the drivers called and said they were about three hours away. I didn't have a big load. I only had six boxes, and I wanted to add two more.

When I couldn't get ahold of Helen, I asked the drivers if I could add two more boxes. They told me not to worry about it and that whatever I had, they would take. They were so sweet. I had made changes as well. I gave away a massage table, so they weren't moving that. When they came to deliver my furniture (I have a big couch as well as a big Sleep Number bed), there was only one guy. Now, I don't know what happened, but he was the only one to unload it all and he never made one negative remark that he was by himself. My brother and I helped him do some things and I felt bad that he was by himself.

My sister and a lot of people have moved before, and the difference between my stuff and everybody else's stuff is that all of my stuff were really new. I had just bought all of my furniture ‘cause I wasn't expecting to move. My stuff was two months old, so they couldn't break anything ‘cause nothing was old. They were so gentle with everything. They wrapped everything and I didn't have a scuff mark on anything. That's the big difference. Some people move old crap, and their stuff breaks. That's no fault of the people though.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2020

I had to move from New York to Florida and I like the agent from American Van Lines. He was very honest and came across as sincere. I had gotten some successful bids from top companies. They were between 7,400 to 10,000 and he priced it. We had a nice talk online about the various pricing factors and he knew his business. I liked it a lot.

I had my family come in and they pre-packed about 45 cartons of personal stuff, including clothing and stuff that we were going through. The rest of it was done by the crew, which was another 20 cartons including mainly plates. Also, they took care of all the mirrors and paintings as well as all the wrapping for all the furniture that came down. I knew where everything was and I had the head of my maintenance crew up in New York walk through the apartment beforehand so that we have things where they belong.

When the crew came in, we had my guy there and he had the power of attorney. He did a walkthrough with the driver and went through room by room to make sure that it was as I remembered it and whatever was staying, was staying. We organized it that way and was very comfortable. We went through about a 15-minute walkthrough before the move started. The AVL crew was pretty much up to speed on that and was 99% accurate.

Because of the pandemic, we had a very tight receiving schedule and we didn't know when we would be able to have the house ready to receive. The crew had a two-day window and they came two hours early, which was fine. We spent the better part of the day checking everything in. They were wonderful with regard to putting things where it belong. But the boxes were not itemized. I didn't know what was inside the boxes that the moving company packed. And then there was some internal damage on the back, but not sufficient enough to put a claim in at the time. They were gonna call me back for claims and nobody ever called me back but I feel reluctant to put any claims because the guys were very good.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Everything with American Van Lines went wonderfully. They brought everything. There was a table that they brought from Captiva, but when I got them, the edges got busted up. But I really don’t care now because it turned out that it wasn’t a marble table. It was actually plaster of Paris. What happened was, when we brought it out here, we did set the table up, and because of the dry climate here, the entire surface started peeling like crazy and it's all flaked. So, that was the only mishap, but that wasn’t their guys’ fault. They did a wonderful job. They showed up in Florida when I needed them, and they brought everything out here, and everything else made it. So, I'm very satisfied, and I would definitely use their service again.

My kid sister set the whole thing up. We needed movers to get stuff out of Florida and bring it here in Santa Fe. She found American Van Lines' information online, probably looked at the customer responses with all the stars, and determined that they were the best. It was quite surprising that one gentleman showed up in a rental van and he drove it out here himself. I was really impressed with that. Then, he had to race off to Las Vegas for the next one. He was a really wonderful guy.

He did the whole thing on the other end all by himself. He repacked boxes with fragile items because he determined that my packing wasn’t sound. Then, when he came here, he showed up with a gentleman, and the two of them did the rest of it. But he had to move an armoire and he did that by himself. It has the weight for four human beings. So, I was really impressed with that, and the whole thing went really well and really smooth. He did me a favor. I didn’t have to break down my bicycle and box it. He just stuck it in the back of the van and brought it right here and there was not a scratch on it. He's the guy you want. He has positive mental attitude. He is upbeat and loves what he's doing. He's dedicated to the company, and it showed.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I retired and wanted to move down to Georgia. I called the company that I used before, and they worked with American Van Lines. I felt good about the guy I was talking to on the phone. However, I was a little disappointed in the pricing. It started out with the price as $17,000. I told them that was not gonna work because almost everything was packed up and all it needed to do was be picked up and put into a trailer. I said just 25% of what we had needed to be packed, and the rest was already packed. Right then and there, he dropped the price to $10,000 without looking at any more stuff. He didn’t come down and look at anything else. It was all done over the phone, and I was a little miffed that they were able to drop it from 17,000 to 10,000 so quickly.

It would have been much nicer if they just gave me the best price and said it was the best they could do. I looked at three companies and the other two were 12, so I went to the 10,000 one. My relocation was 770 miles and we had a special request. We had to have somebody come in and take apart my pool table and put it back together. The coordinator was good and kept up on top of things. The crew worked good and hard as well. They were nice guys but they just slammed the stuff together and threw it in the truck, so we ended up with a few broken things. My walls and floors were scratched and it was a brand-new house too. It ticked me off a little, but they kept working. They got it loaded in one day like they said they would.

When it started getting late and the guys started getting tired, they just put the box in the garage no matter where it was designed to go in the house. They stopped moving it to the correct floors and that meant I had to move all that stuff from the garage to the basement, to the upper level and to the main floor. That ticked me off a little too. Still, the experience was straightforward.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

There was a number of different moving companies listed on the internet and from where I lived and where they were based, American Van Lines seemed to be the most logical choice, so I picked them. The only thing is that I did everything by telephone. They were down in Pompano Beach and I was in Melbourne. That’s probably 130 to 140 miles apart. And all my previous moves I've done myself. When they were asking me like what’s in this room, I really had a hard time describing my furniture and how much I had, so I underestimated how much I really owned. I don’t know if other moving companies do it, but it’d be nice if they were able to have one of their people come to our house and do a survey prior to. Other than that, they did what I asked them to do at a reasonable price. The men that packed and moved the stuff were very good workers.

The lady that was in charge called me frequently to make sure everything was going okay. Like we had dates set for when they would show up to get the stuff. And naturally, they’re doing other jobs too and so if something would delay them, she would update me. Initially, it was between two or three days then they narrowed it down and let me know the precise time when they’re in the area. Then when the men were working, she contacted me to see how things were going. It was fine. They left about 6 o’clock in the evening. It was an 800-mile ride and she called and let me know where they were at a given time so I could tell my wife what was going on.

They didn’t get in till late at night and they were kinda tired and wanting to rest, but my wife had her sister with her and she wasn’t going to have anybody the next day. So, the men went ahead and unloaded that truck that night and had it unloaded by 11:00 at night. They put stuff in the rooms where it belonged and put the bed together. The boxes that they packed, they had them marked so we can know what was in them. There were only two men and they didn’t slow down.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

This was my first time using professional movers since this was a big move, from CO to FL. I trusted the good reviews from ConsumerAffairs website but unfortunately had a terrible experience with American Van Lines. The move was originally scheduled for Nov 1-3 but when they NO SHOWED, I was informed the move was switched to Nov 11-13th, WITHOUT telling me! I threw a fit and said this was unacceptable so my new 'representative' said it would be the 5th-7th. And guess what.... no one showed up then either. I ended up having to rent a Uhaul and trailer to tow our vehicle and drive the 1700 miles and hire helpers on the Florida end through Uhaul (which went perfectly) to help unload. Please don't trust this company, they are extremely disorganized and apparently have no idea how to run a business!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

DO NOT USE! AVL has been a nightmare from the start. They pay for reviews, and I have evidence of them paying to remove bad reviews. TRUST ME! I will take the time to explain my entire story and provide evidence of their scam to anyone who wants to use them. First they showed great customer service (calling many times, answering the phone and emails) and offer a binding quote WITHOUT a visual appraisal. We asked, they said it was not needed and we went through our entire home and boxes. They assured us that going through the rooms, and describing the furniture will be accurate. They then asked for 50% deposit which was $2500. During our initial discussions, we indicated that we ABSOLUTELY COULD accommodate an 18 wheeler; however, they still added in a shuttle charged of over 1k. It was a hidden fee and never explained to us.

They called (one day before) to confirm the day and time (prior to they had a 3 day window) and arrived on moving day with a smaller truck than agreed upon based on the estimate. We have a 2800 sq. 4 bedroom house, and they brought a very small truck. Not only was the truck a Ryder rented truck, it was half full with someone else's belongings. To make matters worse, it wasn't AVL, it was 2 men from a different company called Quality Relocation. They subcontracted us out to a company that has terrible reviews. We never would have agreed to hire this company!! AVL confirms on their website they do not subcontract. WHY WOULD WE PAY A DEPOSIT TO A COMPANY THAT DID NOT DO THE MOVE? WHY WOULD WE OWE THEM MONEY?

When we asked for another truck, American van lines said they could not help, we needed to go through this random third party; meanwhile they still have our deposit. The individual from the third party indicated we could not get another truck for another 4 days. We had to rent a storage space In Boston for the remaining items left at the house that did not fit on the small/half filled truck they arrived in. We asked AVL for a hold on our items (for one week) being delivered and although they said they could accommodate they did not (probably because they subcontracted us out a completely different company.) We got a call saying our items would be delivered to South Carolina within 48 hours and it would cost an additional $4300 for the delivery. They insisted we pay the day before it arrived. This was never agreed upon.

So now we had to hire another storage facility until we were able to arrive. We had to scramble to find one on a weekend since they were delivering on a Sunday. How could we be in two places at once? They were delivering our first truck in SC on Sunday morning, and picking up our second truck of items in Boston at the same time and on the same day (Sunday morning.) The $4300 price for the first truck did NOT include the second truck. We tried to contact American Van Lines multiple times by email and phone with no answer or response. We have evidence and proof that they did not answer our calls or email in which we literally asked "are we being scammed?" At this point we have paid AVL $2500 of the binding contract estimate, as well as $4300 to the third party who threatened to charge us 1k a DAY if we did not pay immediately. We have two small kids and I'm pregnant and we had no choice.

When we finally got our belongings out of storage, we saw that they lost our bedframe, several other items and damaged our furniture. They handed over the weight ticket over a week after repeated requests and the ticket is from 2 very different locations - and was the weight of the ENTIRE truck (with other people's belongings.) It had no truck number, or lading number. They stated that our items weighed 7600lbs ON ONE TRUCK but we fit everything onto a small UHAUL truck we had to rent to take our stuff from the storage facility in SC to our new home. They insisted we had far more boxes and items than agreed upon but this was clearly part of the scam. They tagged random pillows, a shoebox.

Quality Relocations picks up the second half of our stuff on Sept 27th (4 days after the original pick up date) again in an unmarked RYDER truck and we did not get our belongings until October 19th. We called AVL several times and they kept telling us to call back, there was a problem with the truck and the delivery, and they cannot locate the truck. Finally, we spoke to someone who said the items were "in Maryland." We offered to go get them ourselves (again we have 2 small children and had none of our stuff.) They refused to help us, compensate us or give us answers. They kept saying it was our fault for having more stuff than we said we had, and that it was a "ripple" effect. When the second truck arrived, almost 3 weeks later, Quality Relocation demanded $3500 MORE. So now, a quote of $4800 has turned into $10,200. DO NOT USE!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

When placing the moving order they were very helpful and friendly but they went silent after the pickup and they took 4 weeks to deliver, over a week past their long window. They rarely answered the phone and if they did it would go to voicemail or someone would transfer me to voicemail. This went on for several weeks. When it finally showed up they offered me very small compensation. In 47 years old and this was by far the worst customer service I have ever received. It’s a bait and switch and they will hold your items past the last date range. Stay far far away from this company. They are also very expensive. Many other better moving companies out there. Learn from my mistake please!

Resolution response: Nov. 23, 2020

AVL worked to resolve issues.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Avoid at all costs. I hoped it wouldn't come to this, but I am writing a complaint of American Van Lines, which I contracted to complete my long-distance move from Walnut Creek, CA to Bloomington, IN. The pack/load date was 10/9/2020, with the delivery window being 10/12/2020 to 10/28/2020. This is for job # **. While packing went generally smooth, none of the packers wore masks. It should also be noted that this moved ended up being contracted to a third party, Move for Less.

When I first received an estimate from American Van Lines, since they claim they are not a broker, I asked if there was a chance that it could happen. The estimator assured me that only in very rare cases where an AVL van was not available would a third party, approved contractor (that "upholds the values of AVL") would be used. A couple of days before my load date, I was contacted and informed that Move for Less would be completing my move. After researching this company, I knew it was going to be rough. I could cancel and lose my deposit, but this was 2 days before my move!

It has been all downhill ever since. I could barely get updates from the representative, and when I did, they would just say they needed to get ahold of dispatch first and that they would call back in a week (why didn't they call dispatch before they called me? I later would find out it's because the truck hadn't, and still hasn't, left California). As the end of the delivery window neared, I attempted communication nearly every day with AVL. Finally, the day before the end of my delivery window, I was got ahold of the supervisor of my moving coordinator, only for her to inform that there was an issue with the truck and that it was still in California. This was a surprise to me as they had had my belongings for about 3 weeks now, so any truck issue would have plenty of time to be resolved. The supervisor, Tequela **, said that the truck should leave the coming weekend and be there later the following week.

Fast forward to today, November 13th. As far as I know, my belongings are still in California. AVL promised an update today but I have not heard from them. One common practice is for them to call but then never leave a voicemail or email me as follow-up. It seems as if they are avoiding leaving a written or recorded record of anything discussed. The other day, the moving coordination accidentally included an email thread in her response to my inquiry about the status of my move. This thread showed the back and forth between AVL and Move for Less, talking about various delays with all Move for Less jobs. This is not a single truck issue, this a widespread issue with the third party they are trying to hide.

Following this email, she immediately called me and said to not worry about that thread and that it wasn't about my move. I disagree, since every email in that thread had in the subject line, my last name, job number, and "CA to IN". When I pointed this out, I got no response. I have attempted everything in terms of getting in contact with this company to get updates on my move. I am now 3 weeks into a new job with no belongings and have incurred significant expenses due to having to pay rent to have a furnished place to say for myself, significant other, and our two dogs. AVL has stated there will be some compensation due to missing the delivery window, however, I asked for the document outlining this policy and no one will send it to me or claims "they don't have access to it".

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

This move has been a terrible experience, the worst I've had and I've had some mediocre moving experiences before. Nothing like this though. It was a two part move, and about half of the items picked up almost 7 weeks ago still have not arrived. They are well beyond their promised delivery date, which has kept moving as time went by after they were picked up.

And for both moves, when they showed up the price went up 30-50%. We even submitted video of absolutely everything for the second move, using their app sent to us, and the price still went up around 30% due to 'an incomplete inventory'. When I discussed with them that they could see absolutely everything in the videos so the inventory should be complete, they basically said to agree to the change or they wouldn't load things up. Pretty tough to cancel and find another mover on short notice. A very dishonest business practice in my opinion, the classic bait-and-switch that I had read in reviews that this company wasn't supposed to do. The workers and people I have dealt with have all been pleasant, the problems are the bait and switch and the extreme timeframe for delivery. Absolutely look elsewhere for a mover.

American Van Lines FAQ

Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?

American Van Lines accommodates moving services during weekends with no extra fees, provided they are done during regular working hours. However, loading, transport and unloading services rendered after normal working hours are subject to overtime fees.

Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?

American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that fall under the prohibited items, such as hazardous materials, deadly weapons and illegal drugs. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Do we recommend American Van Lines?

American Van Lines specializes in a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. AVL’s state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. American Van Lines’ reviews indicate that more than 80% of verified customers had a good experience with the company in the last year. About 17% of verified American Van Lines moving reviews reported some dissatisfaction. As with many big moving companies, common American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. Pricing is a consideration, but if you shop around for the best state-to-state moving services, you’ll find that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice.

American Van Lines Company Information