2. Movers
Accredited Partner

Pompano Beach, FL

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.25/5

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Van Lines provides long-distance moves for individuals and businesses. AVL requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it’s worth it for the large fleet of shock-proof vehicles that protect the integrity of your belongings.

PROS

• Flat rate pricing
  • Easy booking process
  • Free quote

CONS

• Some weight limits apply
  • No online quotes

Top American Van Lines Reviews We Found

The packers were excellent! They put blankets on your furniture then shrink wrap it. That is all furniture! They took real good care of my stuff that I could see because it was placed in storage. They stayed in contact from start to finish they did not complain about anything and were very polite!

They delivered on time and nothing was damaged. Their customer service was easily reachable and they helped me with my questions. Good experience in my opinion and I would therefore recommend American Van Lines.

American Van Lines Learn More

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, American Van Lines can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post can be a tall order. It needs comprehensive planning, has strict deadlines and requires some budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: Relocating business offices, stores, factories, banks, schools, libraries and other commercial establishments is an enormous challenge. AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: American Van lines is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
  • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 24, 2020

I was moving about 850 miles and I looked through internet opportunities. American Van Lines was the name that I recognized, so I felt comfortable that I’ve seen their vans in places. The rep that I dealt with was good. She was very communicative, empathetic, and clear on what to expect. At the time, I was living in Texas waiting for everything and on the pickup day, my dog died. The guy that picked up was two and a half hours early and I was having a family member go and be there to be ready for the pick up. So, it was a hassle that he missed the window by over two hours on the early side and I had to scramble while I was making final preparations to put my dog down.

It was frustrating that I had to deal with that and if he came within that window, I wouldn’t have had any issue. He also had my family member's contact information and he could have called him directly. Obviously, he didn’t know what was wrong with my dog but it was almost like he didn’t read the instructions or he wanted to get uptown, so it was on his schedule. And I get that as I work in logistics. It is what it is but that just sticks out in my head because it was a bad day.

Aside from that, I had a couple of vases and a file cabinet that were damaged from the move. But I haven't filled out the complaint yet because it'd be 60 cents a pound and it seems like it’s more hassle than it’s worth to even bother filling out the paperwork. I won’t get the value of the product at all, so why bother going through the paperwork? But overall, I had a good experience with American Van Lines. The process of unloading the stuff was fine. They called things by numbers and we checked off on them, then we trued-up the inventory and the packing sheets before they left. It was very much a paper process, which was also understandable and easy to follow.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I retired and wanted to move down to Georgia. I called the company that I used before, and they worked with American Van Lines. I felt good about the guy I was talking to on the phone. However, I was a little disappointed in the pricing. It started out with the price as $17,000. I told them that was not gonna work because almost everything was packed up and all it needed to do was be picked up and put into a trailer. I said just 25% of what we had needed to be packed, and the rest was already packed. Right then and there, he dropped the price to $10,000 without looking at any more stuff. He didn’t come down and look at anything else. It was all done over the phone, and I was a little miffed that they were able to drop it from 17,000 to 10,000 so quickly.

It would have been much nicer if they just gave me the best price and said it was the best they could do. I looked at three companies and the other two were 12, so I went to the 10,000 one. My relocation was 770 miles and we had a special request. We had to have somebody come in and take apart my pool table and put it back together. The coordinator was good and kept up on top of things. The crew worked good and hard as well. They were nice guys but they just slammed the stuff together and threw it in the truck, so we ended up with a few broken things. My walls and floors were scratched and it was a brand-new house too. It ticked me off a little, but they kept working. They got it loaded in one day like they said they would.

When it started getting late and the guys started getting tired, they just put the box in the garage no matter where it was designed to go in the house. They stopped moving it to the correct floors and that meant I had to move all that stuff from the garage to the basement, to the upper level and to the main floor. That ticked me off a little too. Still, the experience was straightforward.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

There was a number of different moving companies listed on the internet and from where I lived and where they were based, American Van Lines seemed to be the most logical choice, so I picked them. The only thing is that I did everything by telephone. They were down in Pompano Beach and I was in Melbourne. That’s probably 130 to 140 miles apart. And all my previous moves I've done myself. When they were asking me like what’s in this room, I really had a hard time describing my furniture and how much I had, so I underestimated how much I really owned. I don’t know if other moving companies do it, but it’d be nice if they were able to have one of their people come to our house and do a survey prior to. Other than that, they did what I asked them to do at a reasonable price. The men that packed and moved the stuff were very good workers.

The lady that was in charge called me frequently to make sure everything was going okay. Like we had dates set for when they would show up to get the stuff. And naturally, they’re doing other jobs too and so if something would delay them, she would update me. Initially, it was between two or three days then they narrowed it down and let me know the precise time when they’re in the area. Then when the men were working, she contacted me to see how things were going. It was fine. They left about 6 o’clock in the evening. It was an 800-mile ride and she called and let me know where they were at a given time so I could tell my wife what was going on.

They didn’t get in till late at night and they were kinda tired and wanting to rest, but my wife had her sister with her and she wasn’t going to have anybody the next day. So, the men went ahead and unloaded that truck that night and had it unloaded by 11:00 at night. They put stuff in the rooms where it belonged and put the bed together. The boxes that they packed, they had them marked so we can know what was in them. There were only two men and they didn’t slow down.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Initially, I was working with a company called Purple Heart Movers which is a third party broker. I learned a really hard lesson trying to work with them. They showed up at my house and tried to say that the size of my load had doubled and it had not changed at all. I put a halt to the process at that point. Eventually, I talked to American Van Lines and they provided me a quote. The guy who gave me the quote referred me to a guy on American Van Lines' operations team and we planned the move on the spot in front of the other movers. That was a person that understood my predicament and worked out an instant plan in 20 minutes. He helped me out of an incredible jam. Three days later my stuff was picked up very easily with a great team and it was on its way to Utah.

The delivery went super smoothly. The crew was funny and friendly. The guys that showed up in North Carolina were doing the happy dance when they saw that everything was already staged in the garage and that they didn't have to walk up any stairs. They got 537 cubic feet of stuff out of my place. The move was delayed by a couple of days versus our original schedule but that wasn't a big deal. Also, there was small damage to a bike seat which was ripped. I've been reimbursed for it and everything was taken care of. I was thrilled with the way American Van Lines did my move.

I knew I probably paid a little bit more because of the timing being so close. But when people are moving, they're held over a barrel. That's why the other company thought they could take advantage of me because people usually have places to go, have flights to catch, or have closings to go to. I wasn't gonna play that game. American Van Lines guys bailed me out. I have a broken neck so I couldn't help their guys out. The guys on both ends were really helpful and they were able to do stuff that I would have helped them to do. I had a really good experience with this company and I would recommend them to anybody.

Original review: July 4, 2019

I was moving from Florida to Iowa and went with American Van Lines. However, the process had a tendency to get confusing as to who was who and who did what. While all their reps seemed to be fine, I would talk to one person and they would transfer me to somebody else. I didn't like the huge window of when the move could happen. Also, American Van Lines gave me really short notice when I thought there would be more notice in that huge window. I had wanted to be picked up last and delivered last -- because we were in Florida and we were selling a house, and we wanted to be sure we had time to get the things picked up. Instead,

they picked us up last and immediately went to Iowa. Because we had to fly home, that made it kinda tough. That's weighing in the favor of American Van Lines to where they keep all their flexibility but they eliminate a lot of their customer’s flexibility. That time, I had already bought our airline tickets and hotel rooms.

We had a remodel going on in Spirit Lake and the flooring just barely got in under the wire because they delivered it three days after they picked it up. It gave me leverage on the people getting the flooring done. American Van Lines could be a little more customer-friendly in terms of giving us more notice. I have a hard time believing that they figured things out the day they told me the move was gonna be three days 'cause they had to notify all the other people.

Even so, we’re glad the move happened the way it did. During the move, the crew was very good. The people who packed my things and traveled with the driver are different people and so were the guys who unpacked. The driver was the same. He found an issue during the move which was a stand which was a stand for an outdoor umbrella on which a plastic piece broke. Overall, we had a good experience with American Van Lines. Going with them worked out well for us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: May 17, 2020

Initially we had agreed to have movers come in the range from the April 16th-18th of April to help my fiancé and I move cross country (VA to CA). We receive a call week prior requesting if they can come early on the 15th, which we agreed upon. On the 13th, we get another call saying that the driver is earlier and asked if they can come on the 13th, between 5-7pm. Due to my fiancé and I both being at work, we really tried to stick to the 15th since we would both be off work early on that date. The person we talked to stated that due to the driver’s route, he would not be able to pick up our items at that time or any other time that week (which went against our original contract). Because of this, on the 13th, I had to clock out of work EARLY to meet the driver.

6:40pm rolls around and we hear nothing from American. WE had to call our rep and she told us the driver was running behind and would not be able to move us until 7:00am the following morning, on the 14th! Because we both work in the morning, that time was not going to work for us. Since we had no other option, they agreed to pick up on the 14th from 6-8pm. ONCE AGAIN, we had to reach out ourselves, MULTIPLE TIMES, to make sure our mover was coming. When we finally got in contact with someone, we told they were NOT going to be able to move us, AGAIN. American moved our date a THIRD time to the 15th at 5pm. The 15th rolls around and at 6pm we get a call from the driver, stating he is 4 HOURS AWAY. The Driver didn’t get to us until 10:40PM on a work night and did not leave until 2AM! My fiancé even had to help move our belongings because the mover came by himself.

Dropping our things off was a similar story too. We were told THREE different days that our movers would come and were charged BEFORE any of our things were dropped off. It seemed as though the communication between our movers and our customer service rep was very poor. Luckily, we received most of our things in one piece, but we did have 2 broken lamps, broken glasses, missing couch pillows, and a missing coffee table that I am hoping we will get compensated for. Why even have a contract if you are not going to stick to it? It is very unfortunate because we hired American based off of positive reviews, but our experience, was very much a hassle and made our cross-country move even more stressful.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Amazing service. They came to my house to provide me with a binding estimate and in the end, I paid exactly what they estimated. I have moved so many times and moving companies are a horror to me, not this one. Their employees were friendly, supportive and professional. Nothing was broken, nothing was charged in excess of the original estimate after my goods were loaded onto the truck; usually you receive a big nasty surprise when they present the final charges. Customer service from their office was friendly and followed up with me making sure that everything was completed to my satisfaction. I felt informed, supported and valued as a customer. I will definitely return.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I have moved several times over the years and have never had an easier move than with American Van Lines. It was a last minute move and the company was recommended by a good friend of mine who had just moved. Their representative, Brian, responded to my inquiry right away and came over the next day to give me a quote. It was a very reasonable, fair, flat rate that included everything. They dropped off all the boxes and wrapping paper a few days before the move and the movers were outstanding. They were super careful and got it done quickly and efficiently. Not one item was damaged or broken which I don’t think has ever happened when I moved in the past. They even put the boxes in the correct room for me. A few days later Victoria contacted me to follow up and make sure everything has gone well and to make sure I didn’t have any issues. Outstanding company!!!

Original review: April 29, 2020

The guys from American Van Lines were perfectly fine. We shopped the price and their cost is good. Everything was great.

Original review: April 28, 2020

At first, it seemed that American Van Lines was organized, helpful, and communicative. Then we were given a ‘moving coordinator.’ Our ‘moving coordinator’ did anything but that—coordinate our move. First, each time I called, I was sent directly to voicemail. She repeatedly misunderstood what I was asking for, and didn’t ask for clarification. Our move was short, only 3 hours away, but instead of communicating that our stuff would arrive a day later than originally predicted, she waited for me to call, the morning it was supposed to be delivered, to ask where our stuff was.

Finally, after our things were delivered, she insisted she knew several details of our move without even talking to dispatch or the truck driver who had actually packed and carried out our move. It was only when I asked to speak with her manager that she decided to contact dispatch, whereupon I was proven correct. TL;DR these people are ineffective communicators, and if your coordinator is Rebecca **, just assume you’re coordinating your move yourself.

American Van Lines FAQ

Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?

American Van Lines accommodates moving services during weekends with no extra fees, provided they are done during regular working hours. However, loading, transport and unloading services rendered after normal working hours are subject to overtime fees.

Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?

American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that fall under the prohibited items, such as hazardous materials, deadly weapons and illegal drugs. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Do we recommend American Van Lines?

American Van Lines specializes in a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. AVL’s state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. American Van Lines’ reviews indicate that more than 80% of verified customers had a good experience with the company in the last year. About 17% of verified American Van Lines moving reviews reported some dissatisfaction. As with many big moving companies, common American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. Pricing is a consideration, but if you shop around for the best state-to-state moving services, you’ll find that the cheapest option may not always be the best choice.

American Van Lines Company Information