It's that easy Request Information
4.52/5
Based on 438 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your local, commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

1743 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

I had gotten several bids from different companies, and American Van Lines' was better than the others. We were very satisfied with our move. We were very impressed with the people we were involved with, particularly the driver and his helper. They did a very good and thorough job. They worked hard, and everything got up to our destination unbroken.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

The moving coordinator from American Van Lines was very good. The move was 2,500 miles. I was a little disappointed because it took very long, which I didn't care about. But they told me it was coming on a big truck and it came on a small truck. The guy told me the truck broke down. They had to take my stuff off the truck and put it on another truck. Some of the stuff was damaged and a box was missing, which were not really urgent to me. But they came at 7:00 o'clock at night, which I’m lucky that where I live they let them in. But the moving crew was very nice.

The other complaint I have is when they came to pick it up. There were 2 men. I had everything boxed and all they had to do was wrap it up. They did an excellent job but one of them made it very clear to me that he wanted to be tipped. I was giving him $50 and I dropped it to $20 because he insulted me like that and asked me for a gratuity. He told me he’s been with the company for about three years. I’m sure some people don’t tip, but I gave him water because it was hot out. But to ask me? That was not nice and professional.

Original review: June 14, 2018

The movers from American Van Lines were awesome and super nice. Loading their van up and then unloading it was probably less than an hour. It was overall a good experience.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My mother was moving and I helped her handle the whole thing. Everybody from American Van Lines was very helpful. They were hardworking, very polite, and eager to please. Everything was excellent in every way.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love the ease of moving with American Van Lines. Everyone was great from the coordinator to the movers and to all the teams that put together the crates. They seemed very experienced. I didn’t really have to do much and didn’t have to put much thought into anything. They took care of everything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: June 12, 2018

The people who picked up the furniture and did the delivery were excellent. American Van Lines was okay in terms of moving the stuff in and out, but their communication was not too good. We just got the runaround when we tried to schedule delivery or to get any information. Also, the people on the phone had an attitude and they could be a little more polite.

Original review: June 12, 2018

American Van Lines was recommended by our real estate agent in South Florida. I talked to the moving coordinator a couple of times, and she talked to various people during the whole affair, but it all worked out well. The moving crew was really good too. I would recommend American Van Lines to anyone.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I had to talk to a couple of companies that do interstate moving and American Van Lines were pretty good priced and their reputation is good. The coordinator was very good and helpful. And the people who moved us were very professional. They helped us a lot. So we had a very good experience. They packed up a lot of the kitchen stuff and did a very good job. We didn’t have any damage.

Original review: June 10, 2018

I was moving from Michigan to Virginia and I wanted to see which moving companies would give a veteran a military discount. The moving coordinator from American Van Lines gave me a lot of good information so he did a very good job. I had the weight of my belongings and he took it from there and it was a pretty smooth process. I ended up paying a little bit more, which was okay because I had more boxes than I thought I had. But he was really helpful with breaking down the rate. He was really up-close for anything that I had to do. Also, the move was great. When night came, the movers had to pack everything I had for me because I had a lot of my personal belongings already packed in boxes. They did everything they were supposed to do. They tagged all the furniture, shrink-wrapped what they had to shrink-wrap and brought boxes where they had to bring boxes.

I had a three day window between April 28 and April 30 for them to come, and they picked up my stuff on the 28th on a Saturday. Three hours later, they were gone. My delivery window was the 3rd through the 10th, but they delivered my stuff on the 5th. The coordinator called me on Thursday evening the 3rd, and said they would notify me what time they were gonna be there on the 5th, on Saturday. The delivery window was between two days because I didn’t want them to get here prior to me signing my lease, and they were here right on time. They unpacked everything and nothing was broken. My daughter that lives north of Chicago is planning on moving to Florida in early August, so I recommended her to American Van Lines. They should be receiving a call from her if her move works out okay as she had planned.

Original review: June 10, 2018

The American Van Lines rep that I talked to over the phone was very pleasant. Everybody that I worked with, including the driver, was wonderful. But they were always late and they were never there when they said they were gonna be. When they came to get my stuff the first time, they were supposed to be there Thursday afternoon. At 6:00, I called the office because I haven't heard from anybody. They said the truck had to stop for the night and the driver would arrive in the morning. I didn't know that the truck had to stop and nobody bothered to tell me they weren't coming until the next day. I asked them the time that the truck would arrive and the rep told me that I was first on the list. I was in the house at 8:00 but the truck got there by 11:00.

And then when we got to Maryland, they said they would be there between 11 and 12, but the driver called about 11:00 and said he was in still in Washing DC so he couldn't get there until 5:00. Their timing was way out of sync. But they were very gentle with my antique tea card and desk, and they wrapped it. I have a 80 pound rock and he even put it up by the cab so it wouldn't slide into stuff. They took great care of me. So I still would recommend them.

Original review: June 9, 2018

The person I worked with was very nice and accommodating. He was thorough in what he was talking about. They were also very good and efficient in their packing, and there was nothing broken. I moved about 1300 miles from Florida to Texas, and they were also organized and efficient when they moved. But they didn't give me enough time to tell me when the furniture was gonna be delivered. I wasn’t there at the time and my sister was the one making arrangements to be there at the house. I asked for two or three days and they said, “Sure, sure. No problem.”

It's a fluid situation with people closing on houses and having to put it off, but it still would be beneficial if they could give as much notice as possible, at least two days' notice. But they said they would be here between three and six days so you would have to clear your calendar. Then they gave us less than a day’s notice to be there. I didn’t think that was fair but that seemed to be for all moving companies because I was doing two moves and the other one was the same way. American Van Lines' people were better communicators than the first ones though.

Aside from giving me less than 24 hours' notice, it was also on a Sunday that they told me they were coming and there was a little problem with that. I was not gonna have my sister miss church and sit there between 8:00 and 11:00 waiting for the driver to come. But we worked out a time of noon and he was there promptly and everything worked out.

Resolution response: June 11, 2018

AVL refunded $750 for the items left behind.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Worst experience ever!! When I called for a quote, I was told American Van Lines doesn't contract out their packers/movers. I went through our house and inventoried everything and got an estimate weight. Moving day comes and Five Star movers show up. Turns out they do contract out after all. They roll up in a delivery-size truck and I instantly knew it wouldn't be big enough for a 3 bedroom house with basement. The movers said it would hold up to 12k pounds.

Day 1 went fine, but day 2 finishes up and the truck is full and the weight was over the estimate. They asked us what furniture we could leave behind. We said nothing. They said 'too bad' and LEFT OUR FURNITURE BEHIND! We called American and they said we under-estimated the weight (implying it was our fault) and now my husband has to fly out and rent a truck to retrieve our stuff!!! DO NOT use this company. Whoever you do use, either get an on-site estimate or over estimate your weight. Otherwise you'll get screwed!!!

American Van Lines response

Hi Erica,

I am sorry you are upset about your recent move with our company. Please understand you moved a lot more items than we agreed to.We moved nearly 2,000 pounds more for you and then our truck was filled.I am glad we were able to come to a reasonable solution with you. I hope our efforts have changed your negative perception of our company. We wish you the best in the future.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I did a web research on moving companies and I picked American Van Lines since I recalled them from some other interaction. Overall, everything went fine with the service they provided. There was a little bit of damage to a dining room table which I didn’t bother reporting to them. But as far as I can tell, everything made it and there was no significant loss of any kind along the way. Also, the American Van Lines people were good to work with. I was present at both the packing and the unpacking, and I assisted during the entire process. But I expected something a little better in the inventory management area as they were not very thorough in accurately representing the inventory. Nevertheless, I'd tell people that it’s okay to go with American Van Lines, but they should do their own research so they’d be happy with their decision.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We booked an out of state move and one week before the 3 day window were told there was no truck? Then our job was handed to a third party. After hours on the phone, waiting, being disconnected, we were told the 26' truck they sent was too small and we owed an additional 4300 dollars overage for a U-Haul. This was without a doubt the worst customer service I have ever experienced. If our form did not specify every item, we were charged. American does not do an estimate but relies on a checklist, abysmal service and terrible communication.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We are retired and we were moving to be closer to family. We were trying to find a moving company that would come to the eastern part of the state and move us to the western part of North Carolina. They were the closest ones that were nationally known. We liked the four guys that did the moving. They did a good job. There were two mirrors broken during the move, however, that went with the headboard unit that they supposedly were going to replace. The movers said they were going to replace them and they put it on the damaged list. I had filled out a little form and it turned out that that was just a perfunctory thing that did not really amount to anything. We were disappointed to learn that they covered $0.50 a pound. So, they weren't going to really pay anything. I could have read the contract more carefully. Also, the customer service, according to my wife, was not so eager to help and were a little dismissive.

Original review: June 7, 2018

The coordinator did an excellent job. I was very pleased with the follow-up and responsiveness. We have a winter home in South Carolina and we were looking for a firm to accommodate us with moving some additional furniture from our permanent residence in Indiana. I’ve done a lot of this over the years. The move with American Van Lines was one of the better if not the best experience. The moving crew did a very good job as well. They were very cooperative and behaved appropriately.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I retired from a company that used to use Allied Moving Company, and when I talked to Allied, they didn’t answer straight. So, I looked up American Van Lines. When I called American, somebody named Toni was supposed to be there, but she didn’t answer her phone. She was gone, so I called back. Somebody else called me and I described the rooms. I didn’t understand what he was trying to tell me or what the cost was, and they wouldn’t send anybody out to evaluate the house. The next day Toni called me, and I really liked working with her and that's who I wanted to work with, but they wouldn't let me work with her. I ended up having to work with the manager down in Florida and he was hard to get a hold of a lot of times. Sometimes he wouldn’t return my calls, and when I talked to Toni, she told me what to do or what to expect, and how to contact him.

Finally, they were able to choose the dates 'cause we were able to close on our house quicker than we thought, so we were able to work between that. The men that came to pack and moved us were very pleasant and hardworking. Michael, the supervisor over there, did a great job. However, we were a little disturbed when we opened one of our boxes and found that one of the workers had wrapped the chicken bones that we had bought in Chicken For Lunch like it was a packed package. When my wife opened it, it was snowing terribly and we were shocked. We tipped them well every day, and it probably cost $500 bucks in tips, plus we bought their meals every day. But the package made my wife sick to her stomach. There was also a piece of fine china that got chipped.

Also, they had to hold the truck because I was closing on my house. They packed me on a Friday and loaded me on a Saturday. My house closing was on Monday, so they had to hold it one day and deliver it on Tuesday. The cost they estimated based on what I told them was 8,200 lbs. It came up to $10,000, but the hold cost me another $750 and I was not happy with that. But overall, we were pleased with them. I just hope we don't have to move again and use them.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I went on the internet to see what moving companies were available in Wisconsin and American Van Lines had a lower price. The coordinator was okay, but the only problem I had was they didn't give me a definite date when they would pick up or deliver. I'd never moved before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The first time, they canceled 'cause they couldn't make it. I wouldn't have had to hurry down to Florida if I'd known they were not gonna be down there right away. But other than that, everything came through well. The moving crew was wonderful. They were very friendly, they explained things well and they handled stuff well. It only took them two and a half hours to load up.

Original review: June 5, 2018

The American Van Lines team came in, loaded everything up and then they left. They were very friendly and very nice. And they didn’t dilly-dally to get extra time in. Also they have the ability to do the move when we needed it. The process took about four hours and the guys did a good job.

Original review: June 5, 2018

The initial person that I spoke with was very good. But the follow up coordinator during the actual move seemed to be uninformed or not connected to reality. She didn't know the timing of the move. The move has actually showed up ahead of time. There was a breakdown in communication somewhere. But the fact that I was working directly with the driver, everything worked out fine. The crews that showed up for the pick-up in Connecticut and the delivery in Florida were excellent. All the furniture arrived safely and nothing was damaged. So I'm very happy. It was a very, very positive experience. I would definitely recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: June 4, 2018

American Van Lines was referred to us by our real estate agent who handled our transaction to sell our place. They were excellent and very helpful. They delivered all the supplies way ahead of time when we needed them. And they packed us up, did a perfect job and then when they unloaded, they did a better than perfect job. The move was from South Florida to Eastern Tennessee, about 580 miles, and everything was on schedule. They ran into some problems because of the computer in their truck and they called to let us know, and they were very polite.

Original review: June 3, 2018

American Van Lines is a well-known name and reaching out to them went really well. I was doing a relocation from Chicago to Morrow, Louisiana and the moving crew was polite and gave great customer service. Everything was fine and overall it was a great experience.

Original review: June 2, 2018

American Van Lines was the quickest to respond to my inquiries when I was searching for a mover. John, the first person I spoke with at American Van Lines, was really interested in what I wanted, listened to what I had to say, and answered my questions very quickly. He spoke with me a couple of times, then he passed me along to the moving coordinator. The moving people were friendly and professional, and they worked quickly. They explained everything and told me what they were gonna do in advance, and they did it.

Everything went according to plan. The only hitch was that the truck was gonna get to Florida before we did and the moving coordinator was gonna add a charge for not being able to deliver on the day that they thought they would. But I explained to them the situation that our stuff couldn’t be delivered on time because of their time window and my schedule, and they knew that in advance, so they said they would not put on the extra charge and everything worked out. I would refer American Van Lines without hesitation. In fact, I have recommended them to some of my neighbors.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I'd recommend American Van Lines to anybody who would ask for movers. They did a great job and moved me faster than we had anticipated and they charged us accordingly. So, I was pleased with that. Renee, the moving consultant, did a great job, and the moving crew worked real hard and steady. We did have rain during part of the move which they had to kind of stop for a few minutes because they didn’t wanna move the furniture in the rain but they loaded the trucks pretty quick and didn’t take a lunch break. It was a local move, so it was about a 30-mile drive. They went straight over here and unloaded the trucks and put everything in place and placed things where I asked them to.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The moving coordinator at American Van Lines was responsive and knowledgeable. On the other hand, the moving crew did not have all the tools that they needed and they had to borrow my tools to handle things in the move. Also, some of the equipment was damaged in the move and they did not tell me about it. It was some inexpensive furniture, but some of the pieces were ripped off. One piece of luggage was missing and a Wii unit was missing at the end of the move. A backpack was missing as well.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Everyone I came in contact with was very helpful, efficient and caring. From Tim who wrote the initial contract to Ester ** who was assigned to be my moving coordinator. She was truly wonderful to deal with. Always kept me informed every step of the way which was a considerable move from N/W Washington state to Davenport Florida. The moving crew headed by the driver Tim were excellent in every way. The crew that unloaded in Florida after a month of storage were equally great. Would not hesitate to recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: May 31, 2018

American Van Lines worked great for me. They were on-time, quick and efficient. There was no hassle at all. So I recommend it. I was very satisfied. The moving coordinator was very knowledgeable and we got everything taken care of. The crew were dynamite. They were very good with all of our breakables. They took care of business. It was awesome and wasn’t hard.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I went online looking for reviews and American Van Lines had better reviews. The people were very efficient, very professional, and very quick. They did what they said they were gonna do and when they said they were gonna do it. They were gracious and listened to me. And I had a good experience with them.

Original review: May 30, 2018

We selected American Van Lines (AVL) due to the timely quote over the phone and the good online reviews (both Consumer Affairs and Google reviews). The sales agent went through contents in each rooms with me over the phone, and was able to provide an estimated household content weight and cost. The estimated cost was at the lower range shown in Moving.com, so I selected AVL based on the good reviews. The loading dates and delivery dates were provided in a time window in the estimate. This usually is not a issue, except our new condo in Denver has a more strict move-in/move-out procedure; that an appointment needs to be made ahead of time, over weekdays only. This complicated our unloading arrangement, but our AVL coordinator was doing his best to accommodate this requirement.

The mover was a "reciprocal partner" of AVL, called Always Affordable Moving & Storage/East Coast Van Lines (AAMS), base in New Jersey. Frankly I was a bit concerned when I was told by AVL that their reciprocal partner was going to move us, but the AAMS crew was business-like, hard-working, efficient, trustworthy and capable. They had a dedicated crew that came with the truck, instead of helpers hired from the street, as some other movers do. The crew that loaded us in South Carolina also unloaded us in Denver, which I much appreciated! I would have given my moving experience a 6-STAR, if the estimated weight matches closely with the actual weight, but we ended 60% over the estimated weight, so the final cost was proportionally higher. I accepted this dependency, as the crew at AAMS commented to me that our load would be much overdue to heavier furniture and extra items.

I still believe the final moving cost is very competitive, but a word of caution is that, weight estimate over the phone is still no substitute for an experienced mover coming to the house for estimate. For someone assuming a defined budget, basing on the phone estimate CAN BE a big issue! Also, one needs to seriously consider the consequence of a flexible loading and unloading date arrangement like these. For me, it was almost a BIG ISSUE, as the truck was already dispatched to Denver, to unload on a date that was originally not open at our new condo. (The date was later freed up due to a canceled event. Lucky me!!)

The AVL coordinator had a different account of the dates I told him that were available for unloading, but he is forgiven. I was pleased that the household goods arrived intact after a 2000+ mile journey and 2 weeks, which should be the result of good packaging and careful handling. Combined with my positive experience with AAMS and the crew, I am giving a 5-STAR to my moving experience. Moving is never fun, but this turned out to be a safe and smooth move.

Original review: May 30, 2018

American Van Lines' moving coordinator was good and she reiterated a lot of things. The movers in San Diego until we got to Oklahoma City were professional. They were great, and they didn’t misconduct themselves, cuss and get on complaining. And there were three boxes that were not checked off on the sheet, and about five weeks later, the driver sent somebody from Dallas to come back to Oklahoma City to give us our remaining boxes. He was cordial enough to let me know he had the boxes. He had many households on his truck and I understood that he couldn't just bring them down and go back so he gave me a timeline. For the most part, it was fulfilled and everything was returned. And if I was moving again across state, I would call American Van Lines again.

American Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

American Van Lines is a local, commercial and long distance mover that is also a family-owned business. They are headquartered in Pompano Beach, FL, and can help with moving nationwide.

• Local moving: The company does a lot of local, residential and commercial moves. These moves are within short distances and the cost is affordable.

• Corporate: They have a team of moving specialists that help with corporate moves and are capable of moving entire companies.

• Military moving: American Van Lines understands the needs of military moves, which require comprehensive planning and strict deadlines.

• Visa and immigration services: American Van Lines can help customers obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and other paperwork.

• Storage: The company also offers storage facilities to help companies and families safely store their belongings while they are in the process of changing locations.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs