2. Movers

Pompano Beach, FL

3.6/5 (104 ratings)

About American Van Lines

American Van Lines provides local and long-distance relocation services for residential and commercial clients. It offers partial and full packing and crating services and is able to transport specialty and high-value items. American Van Lines is family-owned and -operated and has been in business since 1995.

Pros

• Easy booking process
    • Storage options available
    • Flat-rate pricing system

Cons

• Some weight limits apply
    • No immediate online quotes

Bottom Line

American Van Lines’ state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. The company requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it might be worth it for the large fleet of shockproof vehicles.

Top American Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

American Van Lines did a marvelous job. The gentleman, the quality assurance folks and the rep who was on top of everything communicated very well. The transport took about a week...

Verified

... Everything was right on and the two men that came out to do the move worked and did everything. Not one thing in all my household goods was broken. I had 128 boxes plus the fu...

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, AVL can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
    • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post takes comprehensive planning and budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
    • Business moving: AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
    • Storage facilities: AVL is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
    • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
    • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines costs

Pricing can vary greatly, depending on your location and the services requested. Hourly rates can start between $25 and $35 for shorter moves. Long-distance haul prices are estimated as flat rates. At the time of publishing, American Van Lines offers the following starting rates for interstate moves:

Moving fromSmall apartment*Three-bedroom house**
    Los Angeles to Atlanta$4,549$13,110
    New York to Austin, Texas$4,096$8,764
    Dallas to Denver$3,022$6,191
    Miami to Los Angeles$5,227$11,327
    Houston to Chicago$3,429$7,095

* Based on average shipments for a one-bedroom apartment (4,000 pounds).

** Based on average shipments for a three-bedroom house (10,000 pounds).

American Van Lines FAQ

Are American Van Lines costs negotiable?
    According to reviews, some customers have been able to negotiate a lower rate. American Van Lines also offers to match prices if you find a lower cost through another mover.
    Is American Van Lines a broker or a carrier?
    American Van Lines is registered as a carrier with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. It has 15 trucks, 51 trailers and 39 tractors in its fleet, according to the FMCSA.
    Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?
    Yes, American Van Lines can accommodate moving dates during weekends. It charges no extra fees for this service.
    Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?
    American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that are prohibited. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Is American Van Lines a good moving company?

We recommend considering American Van Lines for long-distance and cross-country moves. The company provides a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. As with many big moving companies, some American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. However, it has good customer ratings overall.

American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

The area is a western part of Wyoming, not far from Idaho. It's a rural area in Star Valley. So, there are a lot of companies that just flat out won't deliver here anything. I wanted to move out of California quickly. So, there was American Van Lines. They subcontracted out to Move for Less. They're the ones who did the picking up and delivering of everything. American Van Lines was more like a coordinator. They were polite. But I can tell they were super busy and suspect they are overworked because, talking to those folks, it seemed like they were juggling a lot of people. And something's weird about their phone system. It's oversubscribed. Even hearing and understanding people on their phone system is quite challenging.

Whoever set it up is trying to get as much out of it as they can for as little money as they can because it is very hard to understand what anybody on that system is saying. If they have any kind of strong accent, combined with that phone system, it makes it incredibly difficult to communicate with them. So, there were times I was actually wondering, "Am I talking to American Van Lines or am I talking to a scammer?" Because there are a lot of scammers in the field of movers. That was a big challenge.

The person I worked with, Destiny, was super polite, very professional and did her best to work with me on figuring out who was where and who would pick up what and when. So, in terms of the performance of the people working there, they did a great job and they do good with what they have to work with. They're just a bit spread thin and probably have too much of a workload. For as many people that are moving out of California, American Van Lines did a great job.

The folks that picked up my stuff were all professional and communicated clearly. There was a miscommunication early on in that I told them, "Hey, you're not going to be able to bring a big truck up here because my house has a service road. It's a tight turn. Even tow trucks have a hard time getting up here." They said, "Okay, fine, we'll send a courier truck," or a little box truck but it was still a huge truck. There was no way they would get it. So, they ended up having to move everything by hand a few hundred feet. Those were young, strong guys, so they did a great job. I took them well because they put up with the neighborhood I was in. It's a real pain for anyone to move out of or into there. They also put up with the fact that the house I moved out of has ridiculous numbers of steps for no good reason.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I've known that American Van Lines has been in business for a long period of time, and they got a pretty good reputation. The only thing that I didn’t like was having to go through a broker to get to them. The move was from Maryland to Minnesota and because American Van Lines didn't have a van going that far north, they used Oasis. My brother said there was only one guy unloading that truck, but he did a fantastic job and was a hard worker. So, that went very well. They didn't put my computers in boxes though. Everything was packed already except for the computers. We had bought a couple of boxes from them, but the computers were never put in boxes. They were just sort of put in the van. My brothers didn’t know what to look for and I’m not there, so I don’t know what conditions the computers are in.

Other than that, the final cost was good. I did three places, and American Van Lines was in between the two. I didn’t want the cheapest, and I didn’t want the most expensive. So, I picked American Van Lines. The cost fit our budget and we were able to get it done. I would recommend the gentleman that did Oasis. He was a hard worker when he was here at the house. He hired a local person that I don’t think has ever moved stuff before, but I watched them pack the truck for a little while, and it was a good packing. The weight was what it was supposed to be.

The one thing that was concerning was I was gonna fly in to Minnesota and meet the guy there. He left on Monday, and he said he wasn’t gonna arrive until Friday because he was only allowed to drive 11 hours a day. So, I booked a flight for Wednesday. My flight leaves at 5:30 in the afternoon. I got a call in the morning saying he was already there. I went, “Holy crap.” I wasn't ready for that. What I did was I called my brother up and I gave him all the numbers needed to get into the storage unit. The guy took five hours, but he unloaded every piece by himself.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I dealt with several people at American Van Lines, and because of COVID, it was a little different. My move had to be rescheduled twice, and they were very accommodating and understanding of that. The hardest part was trying to get through to them, but I got that the closer I got to my move, the more available they were to me, and I got to know the people that I was talking with on the phone. I always felt comfortable with them.

We were in East Tennessee, but all the storage had to be picked up in Memphis, which was a day away. We had to make arrangements to get there in time for pickup. We met the driver there and she was very capable and I enjoyed working and talking with her. She let us know what her schedule was, that changed en route, and she was very informative and letting us feel like, "This is what's going to take place, and this is where it will be. I give you this certain amount of time of when it's going to be arrived, but I can approximately tell you just depending on weather and circumstances and other pickups that are called in too." Then she met us on the end.

The crew was different in Memphis. Then we had to pay extra for a different kind of truck to be able to come up our curvy mountain driveway and so the driver had to rent a different vehicle in Reno and it composed a different crew. I then had some furniture damaged and I didn't know if it took place in transport, settling, or with the movers transporting from Reno to a shuttle to get to where we are outside of Tahoe. The glass broke on one large painting, so that's going to be a little high dollar to replace it. They also ripped a large silk screen that I had gotten in Asia, which is pretty irreplaceable, and certain wood things I did. But with wood glue, I can at least repair them and fix them. I got one of the insurances, so I'm planning on report it within 90 days when we're still unpacking even though I was told that I had nine months.

I also had two huge pieces of furniture that would be impossible for me and my husband to put together by ourselves, and so before the crew left, I told them to put those two things together or help us do it, which they didn't like. I get that they didn't want the responsibility of it, but it had to be done, and it was in my contract. Overall, I really appreciate American Van Lines working with us.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

The American Van Lines rep stuck to his gun as far as rate. He could have done better, but he did his job. He managed to lock everything down, get everything processed. The quote was accurate. It's just that, there were all those insurances that I found out later that I had to get, also a fee for transporting. There was a van required to my residence from the trailer. I paid it when they let me know that it was required. Not a big deal. All that went fine. I wasn't there pn moving day. They had to hire a third-party company to build custom crates. And this was in Georgia. Then they left the crates there and the movers came. The drivers came to pick up the crates, put them in the van. And that was it.

I have a big Sprinter van, so I drove out 30 miles to pick the items up from the guy at the trailer depot, then they still charged me the fee for the van service, which I did not need. I told them to refund it but they didn't do that. It was like $600. That’s an expensive amount of money. They’re very busy so it's hard to chase people down for stuff. That's one of the biggest gripes I have with the company, is they should be more on top of it. They're on top as far as locking down the sale, getting you booked in, taking your money. But when it comes to something like that that’s something simple, they should be equally as attentive.

Other than that, the drivers are great. I couldn't ask for better drivers. They let me know here and there where they were. They let me know when they got delayed because of the truck broke down a few times. And they took care of the items, because they're expensive items, and they made sure that they weren't damaged. They arrived without a scratch on them.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

When I first called, I spoke with a girl who got my information and did an estimate for me. She was a hot mess and had a lot of trouble understanding what my items were. She didn't know what a sofa table was. It was a very long, slow process. Then, when I got the quote in, there were insane items on there, and the weights were completely exaggerated. She had a Ford fender on there. We had two bicycles in the garage, but she put in two mopeds. She also had our garbage can weighing 50 pounds, and it was just a regular little, standard garbage can. I called American Van Lines back and I got ahold of another estimator, being complained about how bad the estimate was, and that particular girl was wonderful and got the estimate cleaned up for us. I even called her back a couple of times to take things off that we decided to sell.

Then, a girl sent an email saying that she was our moving coordinator. She called one time to verify items on the list. Each time I called and left a message for her with questions, she never called me back. We were wondering when the movers are going to come. She called at one point saying it was scheduled between 7th to 9th, but they were running behind, so they couldn't come ‘til the 10th. I told her that's a big issue because we have to pay additional money to stay in the house even longer.

She said they only cover $30 a day. I told her that it cost us $70 a day to this company that bought our house. She said she would send in to the manager, request to pay 70 instead of 30 since that's what it would cost us. But then, I never heard from her again. I reached out to her multiple times and left voicemails, like, “Hey, can you call me? We want to verify if they're still coming on the 10th for pickup, we want to know if you're going to cover the $70.” She never called me back.

When it came time for the move, the driver called me on the 8th and said that they're going to come the next day, which was nice, and in the timeframe. Then hours after he called, the moving coordinator calls saying the same thing. I told her that I already knew that as the driver called me. Then, the driver themselves kept me well informed when they were going to come. She, again, called well after the driver called, and I told her I already knew. At this point, I was done with her ‘cause she was no help at all. But the driver, Steve, was amazing, and junior was the politest kid I've ever met. Everything was, "Yes, ma'am. Yes, ma'am. May I, ma'am??" My husband loved them.

Some of the items were broken when it arrived. We had one of those entertainment centers that can be bought at Walmart and they're made of a certain kind of plyboard. When they went to pick it up, the thing on the back just disconnected from the unit because it was screwed with plyboard. But we were not upset with little accidents like that, it was not their fault at all. Half the stuff that broke were the ones I got for free from work. It was just cheap furniture. We got a good crew and they worked really hard.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Absolute disaster moving with this company. Movers were rude and disrespectful to us. We had a number of items that were destroyed by the time they'd arrived and other expensive items that were completely missing. Price originally quoted was far lower than what we were billed. Refused to compensate for the damaged and lost items despite buying an expensive insurance policy. They have hundreds of complaints filed against them on Better Business Bureau currently. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

This was, by far, the worst experience I've ever had with a business in my life. Moving is stressful enough without these guys making your life a living hell. Let's start with the pick-up... My window was 8-11 AM, so I plan my day around them coming. That was my first mistake (spoilers: not canceling them immediately was my worst mistake), so 11:30 AM rolls around and as you can imagine, they haven't shown up. So I call customer service to see what's going on and a just wonderfully rude rep tells me that my pick-up will now be tomorrow and no one bothered to call me and let me know -- because you know, they don't actually give a crap about customer service (for the record, the last part was my takeaway, not what was said. I'd share the reason why my pickup was delayed, but I never actually got one).

Cool. So now my pickup is scheduled for the same time the next day (reminder: that was 8-11 AM) and naturally, they ring my doorbell at 7:15 AM. Did I get the call from the driver 30 minutes in advance to let me know they were coming, which I was promised? Of course not, don't be ridiculous. But hey, they showed up, right? That's something. But oh how I'd come to wish they never had. The driver was professional enough -- we even kind of liked him even though they scratched the living hell out of the hardwood floor at the house and didn't seem to be taking all that much care in how they wrapped some expensive items.

One such fun example was them taking apart my Sleep Number mattress frame -- despite my repeated requests for them to leave it in one piece (another spoiler: and let's not get too far ahead in the story but they broke several parts of the bed and didn't even try to reassemble it despite the guarantee that anything they took apart would be put back together for us -- but we'll get back to this later). The pick-up process ends up taking about 7 hours. We bought the drivers and workers lunch, tipped them well and left with a promise that our stuff would arrive at its destination "sometime late next week". For reference, the pickup occurred on July 30th. A week passes... And then a second passes... And then a third week passes...

So it's a Thursday and we're now at the end of the delivery window -- still having heard absolutely nothing from the company about when my stuff may end up showing up at the house. So I give customer service a call and they tell me that the truck which my stuff was on had broken down in Texas (we were moving from CA to OH). Initially, the customer service rep told me it broke down "about a week ago" but that date seemed to change anytime I asked for actual info. She went on to tell me that my stuff definitely wouldn't be coming in the delivery window they had given me. She told me "we'd know more on Monday".

Monday comes and the customer service rep calls me back and basically gives me the verbal equivalent of an unknowing shoulder shrug when I ask her when our items would be getting to us. This process repeats itself for a couple of weeks. They'd set a date for when they'd have an answer for me, that date would come, and then they'd blow me off with another date much further into the future.

It's now about 5 weeks since my stuff has been picked up and we're no closer to receiving it than we were before. I think they must have thought they'd exhausted their time limit on that excuse, so they moved on to "A new driver has been assigned and your stuff will be there in a couple of days". Did they give me a date, or even a window for when it would be arriving? No of course not, and if you thought they did that's honestly on you. The next 10 days or so was full of more customer service calls, more non-answers, and no actual stuff being delivered. At one point our stuff was supposed to arrive "Thursday or Friday" and on Wednesday that was changed to "Saturday or Sunday", which was changed to "Thursday or Friday the following week".

Then the call came. My stuff was going to be delivered on Thursday. Another fun fact, this was one day shy of the seven-week anniversary of my stuff being picked up. So finally our things are delivered and I will say, the guys who dropped my stuff off were professional and hard-working. Their policy includes a (borderline offensive) $30 fee as compensation. Which came to just over $750. They then offered slightly more than that as the final number... We lost well over 2k in not being able to work, slept on an air mattress in an empty house for almost two months, and that's all they'll do for us. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY, EVER. If they're your only option, just burn your things and start over. I assure you it will be easier and less stressful for you than engaging with these people.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I looked on the website on the best movers that were available, and American Van Lines was one of the top five. I selected American because we have lots of antiques and glassware made in the 1800s and it said that they were the best for heirlooms. When I called, I got a quote right away. The customer service rep was excellent and followed up with me several times. Then I got assigned a person that would work the move. She called me many times, making sure everything was okay, especially as we got closer to the date. Then one gentleman was in charge of the move, and he came to Charlotte and then followed. Then we had the driver. The two guys were excellent. I couldn’t have asked for anything better. We never lost a thing and nothing got broken.

They loaded in one day in Charlotte, which I didn't think was possible, but they did and then took off. Then they drove the next day. On the third day, they pulled into Destin, Florida and unloaded us that morning. One thing that was big that has to do with American Van Lines is that they're not a broker. They're owners. It was important to me. I didn't want them to just farm it out to anybody. I could have done that.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

I would like to preface the context of this review by stating that we are still in the throes of this harrowing experience and we are still being denied our personal property. From day one, our dealings with American Van Lines has been an absolute nightmare (including our move out of our house that we sold). There has been no communication unless we hunt people down. I have lost track of the amount of people we have spoken to, and no matter who we speak to or what we say, nothing has been resolved. Not a single person in that company has made any effort to get us our things.

We closed on our house in early August and have been ready to accept our property since 9/4, a date we had given to them in mid August. We were given a 21 day window in which to expect our delivery. Throughout those 21 days, we were given countless scheduled moving dates, all of which were canceled day of. My family took days off of work, we sat all these scheduled days and waited without any communication, only to find we would not be receiving our property once we called them—absolutely no regard or respect for human interest.

I sit here writing this as I wait once again during a window of supposed delivery. Our window has been delayed twice already today. I have no reason to believe that I will be given my belongings today. American Van Lines track record with even us alone tells me this will not happen today. We also were told last minute that we will not be receiving everything during this window.

The cumulation of these horrible events has put stress not only on myself, my husband, and my children, but on my entire family, who we have been forced to reside with for the last three months. The part that appalls me the most is the utter lack of regard for basic human compassion. Through all of this, we have never had the courtesy of speaking with a higher up who could at least provide us with some peace and assurance that we will receive our property, or that our job would be given any sort of priority after being treated so horribly. At this point, I feel as though our belongings are stolen.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

After assuring me that they would meet our move date, AVL delayed our move twice at the last minute, causing our buyer to miss her move in date. This was very distressing since I booked the move months in advance and said, "We absolutely have to be out by September 12th" every time I spoke to them. Every single time the representative assured me they would make that date. I explained that we would be in another state by our move date and that a friend would be there to let the movers in--and we couldn't expect him to have to deal with any issues. Absolutely no problem, I was told. Sadly, I got an email on the day the movers were supposed to be packing, saying that the driver was delayed and couldn't make the date. Then they delayed it a second time (driver again), putting us in a terrible position since our buyer now owned the home.

When the driver did arrive, there were two people instead of the four I had been promised and the driver refused to pack for us, even though we had paid for packing. He said AVL never paid him enough to do packing. After we called the company and complained, the driver agreed to pack some things, but left about half of the house behind (he didn't have enough boxes). During the set up of our move I walked through the house with the assessor on the phone, explaining everything we had (they don't send anyone over to look for themselves) and it was the assessor who picked the number of boxes based on what I told her. She must have estimated low but I think some of the issue was because single items (such as a small lamp) were sometimes packed in a medium box-- filling them up fast. There were also wardrobe boxes on our list, but I don't think the driver came with any of those--so things like coats took up box space quickly as well.

In addition to that, the driver said that if something wasn't on our moving list he wasn't taking it. AVL has binding agreements which I haven't seen before, despite my many moves. I learned that when you sign one of those, you are signing away any chance of them taking anything you may have forgotten to include on the packing list. Offering extra money didn't matter because the driver had his van half full of another person's belongings.

This was amazing to us since we made it very clear that we were moving a four bedroom home and that, in my experience, has always required an empty van. Also, even though we had many things listed we weren't detailed enough. For example, the driver unscrewed our water cooler, leaving the water jug behind because it wasn't specifically listed in our "water cooler" description. We had artwork I had listed and didn't receive, along with most of the contents of our garage because if you list "tools" that isn't specific enough. A rake, for example isn't considered to be a tool and if it isn't listed on its own (despite the full house pack) then it isn't going.

We called our Customer Service Representative several times--mostly she wouldn't take our calls. We could, however, reach her by calling from different phone numbers. On the few times she did talk to us all of her sentences started with "Unfortunately..." and it was downhill from there. Somehow all of this was our fault--I still haven't figure out how, but that is what they were saying. They did offer us a second van, at our expense, to be sent sometime in the future. However, because of their delay we were out of time and the new owner was literally standing outside of the home trying to move in her belongings.

AVL did offer us compensation for their delay--$30 per late day which was such an insult I refused it, even when they offered to double it (I think the grand total was $250). I expect that is nothing next to the cost our buyer incurred by having to cancel her moving company when we missed our date. I had hoped to compensate her with the money but of course this amount is nothing next to the thousands and thousands of dollars a full move costs.

When their driver got to our new home he explained that the delay had nothing to do with him--the late date was on his schedule all along. I don't know who to believe. We have been in Minnesota for several weeks now, the moving van arrived four days ago. Currently, half of everything we own is in a storage facility in Ohio. We had to pay to have the rest of the house packed (fast!) and driven out here, something we have never, ever had to do with any other company. I am sure we will incur significant cost.

Honestly it isn't the money AVL might have charged us--we would have paid extra for any reasonable item not on our list--it was the abysmal customer service, the fact that literally no one cared and that after months of talking to these people no one bothered to review the things we needed to know. All I ever received was a list of things they wouldn't pack, such as cleaners, liquids and food. We packed those ourselves and thought they would take care of the rest. Boy oh boy were we ever wrong. They don't label any of the boxes they pack either--not even with a room--so you have to figure our what they packed by opening the box.

I have never given any company less than three stars (I honestly can't remember leaving less than four) but this was beyond awful and this company is probably deserving of something like a half a star--for eventually showing up. If you are contemplating a move, I know there are several excellent companies that care about their customers--but this isn't one of them.

American Van Lines Company Information