2. Movers

Pompano Beach, FL

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.90/5

American Van Lines provides local and long-distance relocation services for residential and commercial clients. It offers partial and full packing and crating services and is able to transport specialty and high-value items. American Van Lines is family-owned and -operated and has been in business since 1995.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BOTTOM LINE

American Van Lines’ state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. The company requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it might be worth it for the large fleet of shockproof vehicles.

PROS
  • Easy booking process
  • Storage options available
  • Flat-rate pricing system
CONS
  • Some weight limits apply
  • No immediate online quotes

Top American Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

American Van Lines did a marvelous job. The gentleman, the quality assurance folks and the rep who was on top of everything communicated very well. The transport took about a week, but it worked perfectly with our plans...

... Everything was right on and the two men that came out to do the move worked and did everything. Not one thing in all my household goods was broken. I had 128 boxes plus the furniture and nothing was broken.

American Van Lines Get a Quote

Information from American Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

American Van Lines is adhering to safety protocols from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is also encouraging virtual and over-the-phone estimates instead of in-home examinations and providing its delivery drivers with personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves. Most American Van Lines employees are working from home, and those in the office are following social distancing guidelines. American Van Lines is requiring employees who feel unwell to stay home, as well.

About American Van Lines moving company

American Van Lines is a certified American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover. Whether you’re moving across the state or to another country, you can choose from a selection of comprehensive and flexible moving service options from a company with a large fleet of well-maintained transport trucks that accommodate city-to-city or state-to-state moving. AVL shuttles run weekly to all major cities.

American Van Lines movers also specialize in packing fragile, high-value items, such as fine art, antiques and pianos. Trucks are spacious, clean and equipped with an air-ride suspension system to ensure a smooth ride for your delicate items. If the truck with your belongings breaks down, backup trucks can easily take over to make sure your belongings are delivered on time or with minimal delay.

American Van Lines moving services

American Van Lines is licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to provide residential, corporate, commercial and military moving services, including packing, crating and storage facilities during the moving process.

• Corporate relocation: If your business is paying for an employee to move for a job, AVL can coordinate under tight deadlines to make their relocation a seamless experience.
  • Military moving: Moving your family to a new military post takes comprehensive planning and budgeting. AVL offers free in-home estimates, valuation insurance options, full-service packing and transportation, U.S. military-approved storage facilities and online shipment tracking.
  • Business moving: AVL applies a systematic approach to moving businesses. The process starts with a thorough evaluation of the new and old offices. AVL then offers services according to your needs, such as disassembly and reassembly of furniture, complete or customized packing, commercial storage and anti-shock vehicles to keep your furniture and equipment in great condition throughout their journey.
  • Storage facilities: AVL is licensed to provide private storage compartments inside fireproof and stormproof buildings with 24-hour security surveillance cameras. The storage units sit in a climate-controlled environment, which helps preserve the condition of furniture, machines, antiques, fine art pieces and other delicate items. Storage vaults are also available for high-value items.
  • Piano and antiques moving: AVL’s moving specialists are trained in the proper handling of pianos throughout the moving process. They can disassemble and reassemble pianos of all types, including grand, vertical, electrical or digital pianos. The company’s movers also have experience protecting antique and fine art collections.
  • Packing and crating: AVL provides full packing and crating services. Moving specialists secure all household items with top-quality crating and custom boxes. Mattress boxes, wardrobe boxes, mirror cases and other supplies are available.

American Van Lines costs

Pricing can vary greatly, depending on your location and the services requested. Hourly rates can start between $25 and $35 for shorter moves. Long-distance haul prices are estimated as flat rates. At the time of publishing, American Van Lines offers the following starting rates for interstate moves:

Moving fromSmall apartment*Three-bedroom house**
Los Angeles to Atlanta$4,549$13,110
New York to Austin, Texas$4,096$8,764
Dallas to Denver$3,022$6,191
Miami to Los Angeles$5,227$11,327
Houston to Chicago$3,429$7,095

* Based on average shipments for a one-bedroom apartment (4,000 pounds).

** Based on average shipments for a three-bedroom house (10,000 pounds).

American Van Lines FAQ

Are American Van Lines costs negotiable?
According to reviews, some customers have been able to negotiate a lower rate. American Van Lines also offers to match prices if you find a lower cost through another mover.
Is American Van Lines a broker or a carrier?
American Van Lines is registered as a carrier with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. It has 15 trucks, 51 trailers and 39 tractors in its fleet, according to the FMCSA.
Can American Van Lines move on the weekends?
Yes, American Van Lines can accommodate moving dates during weekends. It charges no extra fees for this service.
Will American Van Lines move boxes that I pack myself?
American Van Lines will accept boxes that you pack yourself provided they are safe to move and do not contain items that are prohibited. You’ll have to declare the nature and overall value of the contents in the bill of lading for transparency and valuation purposes. The valuation process will determine the carrier’s liability in case your boxes get lost or are damaged. The carrier may increase your fees for additional insurance coverage for high-value items.

Is American Van Lines a good moving company?

We recommend considering American Van Lines for long-distance and cross-country moves. The company provides a variety of flexible moving services for individuals and businesses. As with many big moving companies, some American Van Lines complaints mention late cancellations or unexpected changes to quoted price estimates. However, it has good customer ratings overall.

American Van Lines Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I recently had a cross country move completed by American Van Lines in the midst of COVID-19. I am ashamed to say that I didn’t have the most flexible mindset throughout the process and reacted to the delays like it was carelessness on their part, which was 100% the wrong assumption. Prior to booking with American Van Lines, I had been scammed by two moving broker companies consecutively (don’t ever go through a broker!!!) and was out of my mind, desperate to get out of Phoenix, AZ. My car had already been transported back to Louisville, KY, everything was closed, and Arizona was a COVID hotspot, it was complete hell. Throughout the entire process however, from beginning to end, Toni ** (my moving agent) was my saving grace through this entire experience.

Toni was the one to take my initial call, and she could tell from the tone in my voice that I was in a desperate situation to get a quality move completed very soon. Toni exuded passion, intelligence and knowledge about every aspect of a long-distance move and was able to empathize with where I was mentally, in the horrible limbo of relocating. Toni spent over an hour with me taking detailed inventory of all of my belongings and furniture and made it her ultimate mission to have a successful pick up and delivery. The pick-up went beautifully, everything was packed, wrapped and protected so professionally. Despite a couple of delays with the delivery date, all of my furniture and belongings were delivered in pristine condition.

Toni has been active in communication with me through this entire experience and is one of the reasons I would rebook with American Van Lines again. I hope that her company’s CEO and VP know what an outstanding moving agent they have on their team because she saved my sanity throughout this entire process. If you are looking for a moving company, American Van Lines should be your number 1 choice. Make sure to ask for Toni to be your agent!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I loved American Van Lines. I knew they were a big company and I figured they would be good. However, they give you another company called Baker International that you could buy insurance from and I could never get in to buy extra insurance. They ask you for the job number, and I put it in, but maybe they figured I wasn't worth it. I only wanted $10,000 worth of insurance and maybe that's why I had a hard time buying the insurance. Anyway, that company is not user-friendly and that was a big thing. I was disappointed 'cause I would have bought insurance, even though my stuff was less than $10,000.

Other than the insurance, the whole experience was great and the American Van Lines employees are awesome. The first person I talked to when I called was Helen at American Van Lines, and her extension was **. Anytime I had anything to do with anything, I would call her. She was great and she was my favorite lady. I didn't wanna bring home that much and Helen told me to let them know two days before if I had anything extra. On the day of the pickup, the drivers called and said they were about three hours away. I didn't have a big load. I only had six boxes, and I wanted to add two more.

When I couldn't get ahold of Helen, I asked the drivers if I could add two more boxes. They told me not to worry about it and that whatever I had, they would take. They were so sweet. I had made changes as well. I gave away a massage table, so they weren't moving that. When they came to deliver my furniture (I have a big couch as well as a big Sleep Number bed), there was only one guy. Now, I don't know what happened, but he was the only one to unload it all and he never made one negative remark that he was by himself. My brother and I helped him do some things and I felt bad that he was by himself.

My sister and a lot of people have moved before, and the difference between my stuff and everybody else's stuff is that all of my stuff were really new. I had just bought all of my furniture ‘cause I wasn't expecting to move. My stuff was two months old, so they couldn't break anything ‘cause nothing was old. They were so gentle with everything. They wrapped everything and I didn't have a scuff mark on anything. That's the big difference. Some people move old crap, and their stuff breaks. That's no fault of the people though.

Original review: July 11, 2020

I had to move from New York to Florida and I like the agent from American Van Lines. He was very honest and came across as sincere. I had gotten some successful bids from top companies. They were between 7,400 to 10,000 and he priced it. We had a nice talk online about the various pricing factors and he knew his business. I liked it a lot.

I had my family come in and they pre-packed about 45 cartons of personal stuff, including clothing and stuff that we were going through. The rest of it was done by the crew, which was another 20 cartons including mainly plates. Also, they took care of all the mirrors and paintings as well as all the wrapping for all the furniture that came down. I knew where everything was and I had the head of my maintenance crew up in New York walk through the apartment beforehand so that we have things where they belong.

When the crew came in, we had my guy there and he had the power of attorney. He did a walkthrough with the driver and went through room by room to make sure that it was as I remembered it and whatever was staying, was staying. We organized it that way and was very comfortable. We went through about a 15-minute walkthrough before the move started. The AVL crew was pretty much up to speed on that and was 99% accurate.

Because of the pandemic, we had a very tight receiving schedule and we didn't know when we would be able to have the house ready to receive. The crew had a two-day window and they came two hours early, which was fine. We spent the better part of the day checking everything in. They were wonderful with regard to putting things where it belong. But the boxes were not itemized. I didn't know what was inside the boxes that the moving company packed. And then there was some internal damage on the back, but not sufficient enough to put a claim in at the time. They were gonna call me back for claims and nobody ever called me back but I feel reluctant to put any claims because the guys were very good.

Original review: June 19, 2020

Everything with American Van Lines went wonderfully. They brought everything. There was a table that they brought from Captiva, but when I got them, the edges got busted up. But I really don’t care now because it turned out that it wasn’t a marble table. It was actually plaster of Paris. What happened was, when we brought it out here, we did set the table up, and because of the dry climate here, the entire surface started peeling like crazy and it's all flaked. So, that was the only mishap, but that wasn’t their guys’ fault. They did a wonderful job. They showed up in Florida when I needed them, and they brought everything out here, and everything else made it. So, I'm very satisfied, and I would definitely use their service again.

My kid sister set the whole thing up. We needed movers to get stuff out of Florida and bring it here in Santa Fe. She found American Van Lines' information online, probably looked at the customer responses with all the stars, and determined that they were the best. It was quite surprising that one gentleman showed up in a rental van and he drove it out here himself. I was really impressed with that. Then, he had to race off to Las Vegas for the next one. He was a really wonderful guy.

He did the whole thing on the other end all by himself. He repacked boxes with fragile items because he determined that my packing wasn’t sound. Then, when he came here, he showed up with a gentleman, and the two of them did the rest of it. But he had to move an armoire and he did that by himself. It has the weight for four human beings. So, I was really impressed with that, and the whole thing went really well and really smooth. He did me a favor. I didn’t have to break down my bicycle and box it. He just stuck it in the back of the van and brought it right here and there was not a scratch on it. He's the guy you want. He has positive mental attitude. He is upbeat and loves what he's doing. He's dedicated to the company, and it showed.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I was moving about 850 miles and I looked through internet opportunities. American Van Lines was the name that I recognized, so I felt comfortable that I’ve seen their vans in places. The rep that I dealt with was good. She was very communicative, empathetic, and clear on what to expect. At the time, I was living in Texas waiting for everything and on the pickup day, my dog died. The guy that picked up was two and a half hours early and I was having a family member go and be there to be ready for the pick up. So, it was a hassle that he missed the window by over two hours on the early side and I had to scramble while I was making final preparations to put my dog down.

It was frustrating that I had to deal with that and if he came within that window, I wouldn’t have had any issue. He also had my family member's contact information and he could have called him directly. Obviously, he didn’t know what was wrong with my dog but it was almost like he didn’t read the instructions or he wanted to get uptown, so it was on his schedule. And I get that as I work in logistics. It is what it is but that just sticks out in my head because it was a bad day.

Aside from that, I had a couple of vases and a file cabinet that were damaged from the move. But I haven't filled out the complaint yet because it'd be 60 cents a pound and it seems like it’s more hassle than it’s worth to even bother filling out the paperwork. I won’t get the value of the product at all, so why bother going through the paperwork? But overall, I had a good experience with American Van Lines. The process of unloading the stuff was fine. They called things by numbers and we checked off on them, then we trued-up the inventory and the packing sheets before they left. It was very much a paper process, which was also understandable and easy to follow.

Original review: April 9, 2021

The American Van Lines rep walked me through each step, how much it would be, what I needed to do, and when they would come. She took me back and forth to make sure and she did a courtesy check to tell me they were on their way. She did wonderful. Another rep broke down what I had done and what I had prepared, because I had everything packed up, ready to go. It was a smooth transition for them. They took their time, and they were very careful with all the moving process. They even tried to set up my washing machine, and I wasn’t expecting it. But they did amazing. They took boxes down to cover up my carpet. They did a great job. They can move me any time, if I ever move again.

Original review: April 7, 2021

This was the WORST first point of contact phone call ever. We were moving from Denver to Atlanta, everything packed ourselves. Not a huge move, but we wanted a nationally recognized moving company. The American Van Lines gentleman on phone was arrogant and rude. Almost like he couldn’t be bothered with such a small move. He told me the minimum would be $3000 for roughly 15 20x20” boxes and a bike. I told him fine, but needed it out in the next 5 days. He gave me every reason in the world so I would not choose them. He was beyond rude. Then called Allied, who said they have agents in Denver area that could move on short notice, arranged with local agent set me up with FaceTime with a gentlemen who walked through my inventory. Next a call from my move coordinator, then the dispatcher the day before and then the load and move. $1900. It wasn’t only about the price. It was totally customer service.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I called them and I asked them what I needed. Then, the guy kept calling me. Because I sold a house in Georgia and I bought a house in Arizona, I said I could not make any arrangements because I didn't know when the closing was gonna take. But, after we made all the arrangements, the price was very good. But when the actual moving guys came over, it was a little bit more. He charged me $800 extra. I was not upset because I realized people over the phone cannot give the real estimate. But everything else was fine. They came on time, even it was the weather was not right here. The driver communicated with me all the time. They brought everything and nothing happened. They did a great job.

Original review: March 30, 2021

I talked to a couple of my ex-neighbors and they had used American Van Lines. They got good word on them so I went with them too. The driver that picked up the furniture in Florida and delivered it in San Antonio, Texas was the same. The crew that packed the truck in Florida was different from the crew that unloaded in San Antonio. Nonetheless, both the set of crews were phenomenal. Some of my bedroom furniture got some dings and scratches but nothing to lose sleep over and beat up anybody. I'm a believer of hard work and those gentlemen worked so hard. I tried offering them sodas and water but they wouldn't accept it. They had their own. That's the only complaint I have. I tried to be nice to them. But I understand. It's also COVID and you can't just take anything from anybody. Overall, American Van Lines is a great company. They have great people that work for them.

Original review: March 27, 2021

Worse moving company in the world. They low ball you with a great price then charge you for every addition... Very unprofessional movers, the 3 "men" were going to leave many items in our old house because they brought too small a truck... I had to pay them $50 each to move items to my neighbor's garage, then I went back after renting a U-Haul to bring the rest... Original agent actually asked me "how many containers will you have?" I had never moved a whole house before, and we were still packing... How would I know how many I would have, I am not clairvoyant... 2 of 3 movers were rude, unprofessional... Only older gentleman of the three was a decent man... Don't buy these other "positive" reviews here. I think they were made up by their employees to rip off other people... Wasted over 4500 dollars on this company... BUYER BEWARE!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

American Van Lines Company Information