4.61/5
Based on 456 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Pompano Beach, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Van Lines is the moving company to trust for your local, commercial or long distance move. As a family owned and operated moving company, we strive to convey our personal values through the respect and high service standards we give to our customers. Whether you are moving across the block or across the country, our cost-effective moving and storage options can make your entire relocation process as effortless as possible.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 14, 2018

1607 American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Thank you for being so professional and getting things done in the right order and delivered within my delivery dates. I would definitely call you again if I ever move again and I definitely will recommend you to all my friends and neighbors!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

No major problems with the move. Francisco & Junior were great workers. They loaded and unloaded very carefully, packed my stuff really carefully and were a pleasure to work with. Marcus, my customer service rep. was very helpful and answered all my questions very courteously. The only negative part of the experience was the timing. What day are we moving? When are they picking up? When are they delivering? Overall a good experience.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

The movers were excellent as well as the customer service staff. The movers and customer service staff exhibited diligence and enthusiasm in what they do. I will definitely recommend their services to friends and family. Bravo to everyone for the job well done. Thanks.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I was extremely pleased with the service and the price was very reasonable. I did not feel like I was getting played like I did with other movers who gave estimates. I had great communication with the customer service rep from start to finish. The movers were very careful with lots of fragile items (art, lamps, etc). They took extra care not to bump or damage walls when moving large furniture items through tight corners or hallways. The team was friendly and they were great to work with. It was great having the same team for the unloading 5 days later. Highly recommend.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

A great move. Everyone worked efficiently and were very pleasant. Eddie’s team did a good job. I would recommend this company to friends and would use them for future moves. Customer service goes a long way and they were great! Thanks to all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Overall this was an excellent move. Specifically, our driver (Chuck) did an excellent job in providing us with an expedited delivery of all our household goods. Although the initial estimate was about 7000 lbs under the actual weight, Chuck was very accommodating in ensuring that all of our of items were loaded on time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

After coming back from vacation, we discovered that our hot water pipe burst. We had flooding and mold in our house. We needed to find a moving company that could pack up the contents of our house quickly. I spoke with Brian ** and he came over within 20 minutes to give us an estimate. The moving team was excellent. So sympathetic to our situation, professional, friendly and accommodating. I will recommend American Van Lines to everyone and would definitely use them again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Initial experience with customer service was sketchy. The date we were given for movers to arrive for pick-up led to a no show. No notice was received about this until I called after waiting 3 1/2 hours. Our experience with American Van Lines was very good. Professional and thorough. We were very pleased with them at the beginning and the delivery end. End experience with customer service did improve.

Customer increased Rating by 3 stars! Resolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The company including its President openly lied about the process: Speaking to him directly he promised and certified there would be a reconciliation between a high-level estimate and an actual count. All prior movings I have used use a tag inventory system that is validated by the customer. Since their bill of lading was an exact match to the 15-minute estimate I refused to sign it. They also promised credit for boxes I packed. None was given. I estimate the overage of at least 200 boxes was close to an overcharge of $2,000. I will never use them again and intend to report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I was moving for work so I did some research online for a moving company and I came across American Van Lines as one of the high-rated companies to look for. I also spoke with a few friends and they said they’ve heard of AVL as one of the best ones. I had a decent interaction with their coordinator. She reached out to me right away to schedule the actual dates and let me know what I needed to prepare for. However, I did have some difficulty getting back to her at some points. But I understood later on that it was just a scheduling issue with her own schedule. Overall, I was satisfied with their service. The moving guys were absolutely fantastic. They were very thorough, they were on time and they did a great job. The actual delivery location was up two flights of stairs with no elevator and there were just two guys who did absolutely everything. The move was perfect and there was nothing broken.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

The neighborhood I went to for surgery became very dangerous. After 3:30 I couldn’t even walk my dog. There were carjacking with guns right my front yard. This is on St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans in the Garden District. I've always wanted to live there but it got really bad especially towards Christmas. So, I had to get out of there.

The gentleman from American Van Lines who set up the move was good. It's just that he underestimated the boxes. I had less furniture and he said that with it being a one bedroom, it would just be a standard price. When the guys got in to pack it, obviously, it was more money then but only for $200. The packing went great. One guy didn't speak English and he seemed grumpy although I think it was just the accent. But everything was done in spite of one little bathroom broken glass. Also, only one box and one side table did not end up at my house and that was it. It probably ended up at another move because there were four houses on that truck. I contacted customer service about it and Theresa was awesome! Constantly, I never had a bit of problem with any of it. She was on the money. Everything was perfect! She fixed my check because we couldn't find one of my stuff and she replaced it. My sister went down to Target to get a replacement.

They asked to come early to bring the stuff so I had to fly home which is not good because I was here doing the paperwork for the condo. It was a little bit inconvenient because although they offered to hold my furniture for free, the carpet people couldn't come and now my new carpet isn't coming until the 28th of February which really screwed me up because the condo was supposed to be empty. They have been very accommodating. It just didn't work out. Still, I would definitely recommend American Van Lines.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

From the point of contact for an estimate to storage and delivery, communication throughout the process was outstanding! The estimate quoted was right on the mark. The loaders/unloaders were professional, courteous and very efficient. Customer Service was outstanding. Samuel ** kept me informed and answered questions quickly alleviating any stress. Delivery was exactly on the date requested. Perfect.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

We sold our house and bought a new one. The American Van Lines rep underestimated what we had and did not send a big truck but everything else was fine. My experience with the moving consultant was good. We had two different crews because we had to leave it on the truck for a couple of days because of the close on our home and we had to wait. The crew that moved us out of the house, it went smooth. There was no damage to the house and it was very easy. But then a different group with the same leader moved us into our new home and they cracked the step and put three dents on the wall. They were nice, but it was frustrating to have that. We're still dealing with that and we had to keep calling. It's a wood step and it's cracked in a brand new home.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Your prices are a little too high. The movers especially Mickey were nice. They informed us every step of the way. I think wearing belts to help lift heavy items would have made it much easier on them if they had used them.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I picked American Van Lines among the four different moving companies I pulled up. Their moving coordinator was excellent, she was very responsive. On the other hand, their moving crew was very good. They were very professional and we only had a couple little things that got damaged a little bit. Furthermore, their price was very competitive and I thought it was very good. We recommended American Van Lines to my next-door neighbor and they have already booked with them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

My husband is a pastor and we were moving to a new church in a new area. My husband called and set up the move with American Van Lines since we've used before. The whole move took most of a day and the timing was fine. However, the first move went a bit better than my recent one. Before, our piano got some rough treatment and a handle on another small little piece of furniture was broken. But this time, the piano didn’t do nearly as well. It had a chip off of the side and a knob was broken off the soundboard underneath the piano.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I wanted to move across town to a 55 plus community and our experience with American Van Lines was great and very worthwhile. Their reps have a great sense of humor, they were always on time and they knew how to handle the stress of somebody moving. Their moving coordinator and I got along great. She was always very forthright and always helpful trying to figure out how she could make this move the easiest. I didn’t have any problems with anybody.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I just can't say enough about the quality people that moved my belongings. A stressful event was made much more pleasurable by people who clearly knew their craft and were willing to help. From the moment I made the phone call I knew I had contacted the right company. I was extremely impressed as I watched my furniture being padded and packed. The crew even let me look inside the van to see how they packed the truck... Truly amazing! The unpack went just as smoothly on the delivery end. My driver was the absolute best! This was the first time I ever moved long distance. If I ever undertake this type of move again, you will be the only company I will ever need! Thanks so much!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

We were getting ready to plan our move from Boca Raton, Florida to Central Florida in a town around Orlando, which was only a three-hour drive. I called a host of different people, and it turned out one of my good friends had just used American Van Lines. This was after I had contacted American Van Lines and set up with them, and it was a confirmation that it was a good company to deal with. My friend had the same experience even though her main representative was different from mine. The gentleman that serviced our account was spot on in every way. He came through whatever he said, and he made sure we had whatever was needed. There were certain pieces that were irreplaceable, and those were packaged well. One furniture was an Onyx mirrored bar. The Onyx came from Brazil, and it’s about 70 years old. I pointed them out, and the gentleman did an excellent job.

The men worked hard. However, they were tired by the time they unloaded, and some things were kind of placed haphazardly. Some things were broken, such as that one particular glass shelf for my antique cabinet. They never told us that it was broken, so we kept thinking that it was packaged with the other pieces. The plus side was it forced us to open up everything, and we got things put away really fast. But the glass shelf never showed up. When I called American Van Lines, they checked with the driver, and he said it was broken. He drove me nuts for four days unpacking all the artworks, so that was the only downside. American Van Lines was excellent, and my experience with them was good. I would recommend American Van Lines, and, all in all, I would use them again.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

American Van Lines is professional. They weren't the best price from the multiple quotes that I got from other vendors, but they have a lot of experience in moving. I went down to one of their distribution centers and they were real. It wasn’t just two men and a truck. They had 20 trucks in their lot. My moving coordinator was very professional and accessible. We did an interesting quote because they charge by weight on a cross-city when I had to move from Charlotte to Raleigh. So, we did a fixed price based on weight and if it exceeded a certain weight amount it would be fixed at one amount. Otherwise, it would be a lower amount. The moving crew was on time and friendly.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

We recently relocated from Chapel Hill, NC to San Diego, CA for my husband's new job and it being a long distance move, I was nervous and a bit stressed about the whole process, despite having moved several times before. I did some research on moving companies and read the reviews - some very positive and some real horror stories! I got three quotes and ended up going with American Van Lines, mainly because from the very start the customer service was excellent, although I also found their pricing to be competitive. I'd like to call out Toni **, the Moving Consultant I dealt with initially and Samuel **, my Moving Coordinator - both provided excellent follow-up and kept me well informed. I was never left wondering what was going on and my calls were always returned promptly.

My movers, Chris and Peanuts, were also awesome and did a fantastic job of packing and unpacking our household goods - nothing got lost or broken. It was clear they were experts in their field. The delivery window I was given was about 3 weeks but they delivered to our door in only 1 week. I realize much depends on where you are in the line in terms of pick-ups and drop-offs so we probably just got lucky but nevertheless, I was thrilled! It was such a relief to know I was working with a professional moving company who provided such great customer service - they really took away a lot of my stress. Based on my personal experience, I would recommend American Van Lines to others and will use them again for any future moves.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

The moving coordinator from American Van Lines was very professional and very well-spoken. It had been an extremely positive interaction with him. They also did a great job in keeping me in the loop throughout the process. The moving crew took care of my stuff. They were a great group. Plus, they were really good people. Lexus, the driver, was exceptional and a great employee. I will be telling my friends to hire American Van Lines especially Lexus.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

NJ to GA Shipment - Overall good experience. Angela ** Quality Assurance Mgr really worked hard to keep me informed about my 2 shipments happening at the same time. She did a lot of coordination between driver and personal coordinator to ensure all the paperwork was handled quickly and accurately. Packer and driver Rigaberto was incredible! Worked alone, did the packing, wrapping and carrying 4 large pieces of furniture down 3 flights of stairs, then drove to GA and unloaded everything. Didn't hear much from Marcus ** personal coordinator, even after the truck broke down and the delivery was delayed 2 days.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I had to relocate two states away and so I went on my phone, Googled moving companies and called around. The salesman at American Van Lines sounded most professional, and they had all the services that were better than everybody else’s. The coordinator was just as professional as the salesman. I was very satisfied that she knew what she was doing and she covered everything.

However, I’m in the process of filing a claim at American Van Lines because some things are missing and broken. It’s going to cost me to get them fixed and I have six months to do it. There's a couple of things I can’t get an estimate for because I don’t know who would fix them anyway. I need to use some of the stuff that were damaged and the sooner I do the claim, the better.

The people that did all the moving seemed to be novices. They were quick but they were not thorough. They wrapped some things and didn’t pack them, which is part of my claim at American Van Lines for getting things working again. For example, there were some glass shelves that went through a little glass display case. Now, my display case doesn’t have anything to display because I got to replace the glass. They can pick up stuff and move it, but they were not able to coordinate what they pack and what to move. The guys that unloaded were more proficient because all they had to do was unload and put it where I told them, and they did that quite well. There was some damage to walls and stuff in my new home, but the driver patched it with a can of paint.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I was looking at Two Men and a Truck and looking for like something that was more affordable that work out for me and my husband. American Van Lines was more affordable than other companies were asking for. I told my moving coordinator the things that I would need moved in the day. She immediately got back to me and told me that that would be no problem, that it would be two guys coming with a truck and that they would call me. And if I had any issues I could give her a call. They were really nice. They helped out a lot and it was really good. The driver and the crew were really good too. American Van Lines were really nice and friendly and they're way more affordable than Two Men and a Truck.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I had a work-related relocation and American Van Lines' moving coordinators were very professional and kept me updated on the progress through email and phone. The crew who moved our vehicle was courteous and professional as well. However, the vehicle had some small dings and nicks here. Also, I haven't received my barbeque grill and there's a bed frame here which belongs to somebody else. I tried to contact them by phone but I didn't get any callback. Other than that, I would still tell others that American Van Lines is a reliable and good moving company.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I did a job-related move from Illinois to California so it was a pretty lengthy move. The American Van Lines moving coordinator was clear but the movers did not show up the day they were supposed to. We had to come back to California and then fly back again for another day because the trucker did not show up. That was a weekend and I couldn’t really contact anyone. When I was finally able to speak to someone and the guy, Kevin, basically said, “We’re sorry that happened. We are going to give you some discount once everything is settled.” I said okay but I had no choice anyway. Then, after the move, I never heard from anybody. I tried calling a couple of times but I couldn’t even reach them. Their extension is either always full or there is no way to give a voicemail.

I’ve actually used them twice; to move from Florida to California and also from Illinois to California so we had a lot of things moved. They basically hire local people for the move. So, I actually shopped for local people and they were cheaper but I was worried about whether or not they would be okay. So, I went with American Van Lines, not realizing that that’s how they did their business so that was a little surprise to me.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Almost a year ago, I needed to move from Doral to Miramar and asked American Van Lines for a quote. The coordinator gave me all the information and after reviewing the quote, I decided to go with them. The truck guys were very nice and on time. They helped me in the home with all the things, since I'm alone and a lady. They worked very hard and provided very good customer service. Moreover, none of the furniture was damaged.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Nice Move - Timely notifications and best of all no damage - not even a scratch to any of the furniture that had integral glass tops and doors. The furniture moved over 1500 miles of bumpy interstate highways and congested city streets.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Brian was incredibly professional. Ginger was amazing and kind in handling all the details of my move. Eddie and his crew were great. I would highly recommend this company to my friends for their moving needs. Thank you all for your hard work. I will be calling again in 6 months.

American Van Lines Company Information

www.americanvanlines.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use