Get a Quote

3. Home Warranties

4.0/5 (12745 ratings)
Get a Quote

About Choice Home Warranty

Choice Home Warranty offers comprehensive protection plans that protect against the unexpected cost to repair or replace major systems and appliances. The company offers two plans and covers household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington.

Pros

• Optional roof leak coverage
    • No transfer fee
    • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Cancellation fee
    • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

Top Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… I was pleased with the service and repair getting completed so quickly. I was also very satisfied with the electrician. He was friendly and knowledgeable. He wore a mask without...

Verified

Service was quick and he fixed the problem immediately. He was polite and nice. I would recommend him to anyone. Our deductible covered the part and labor. We were very pleased wi...

Choice Home Warranty coverage

Choice Home Warranty covers all major home systems and appliances. In addition to the items covered in the Basic and Total plans, other items are available to add to your coverage plan. Coverage usually begins 30 days after enrollment, and policies typically last one year.

Basic Plan
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Total Plan
    The Total Plan covers 18 of the biggest home systems and appliances, including your air conditioning system, refrigerator, and clothes washer and dryer, which are not part of Basic Plan coverage. Covered items include the following:
    • Air conditioning system
    • Ductwork
    • Garage door opener
    • Ceiling and exhaust fans
    Optional coverage
    After choosing the Basic or Total plan, customers can choose to add any or all of the following optional coverages:
    • Pool and spa
    • Second refrigerator
    • Septic tank pumping
    • Standalone freezer

Choice Home Warranty cost

Choice Home Warranty prices range anywhere from $30 to $55 per month." ALSO, in top picks section of BG, under Plans and pricing, first sentence, change $50 to $55.

Most plans from Choice Home Warranty have a flat $85 trade service call fee per claim. You pay this fee to the service provider who comes to your home. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the coverage limit, the customer is responsible for paying the difference.

Choice Home Warranty exclusions

Choice Home Warranty plans cover all components and parts of certain appliances, such as washers, dryers and garbage disposals. Other appliances and all systems have coverage exclusions. It’s important to read the service agreement thoroughly so you understand the terms before you sign up.

For example, water heaters are covered in Choice Home Warranty’s sample contract, but holding or storage tanks, vents and flues are listed as excluded. This means that if your water heater breaks because of a problem with the storage tank, it won’t be covered.

Keep in mind that Choice Home Warranty also won’t cover any preexisting conditions, whether known or unknown. Misuse, abuse or failure to maintain a system or appliance is another reason a claim can get denied. Ultimately, it’s up to the company whether a covered system or appliance is replaced or repaired.

Choice Home Warranty FAQ

What are Choice Home Warranty’s coverage limits?
    Generally, Choice Home Warranty won’t pay out more than $3,000 per contract item. The company will pay up to $500 to provide access to covered items through walls, ceilings or floors and return the opening to “rough finish” condition.
    How do I file a claim with Choice Home Warranty?
    Customers follow these steps to request a service from Choice Home Warranty:
    1. Call or log in to the online account center to request service as soon as you notice a problem. You can make a claim online or call 24/7.
    2. Choice Home Warranty will then contact one of its authorized contractors to set up service. It will let you know the contractor’s name and phone number and the appointment time — usually within 48 hours.
    3. The contractor arrives for the appointment and repairs or replaces the system or appliance. You pay the service call fee of $85.
    Does Choice Home Warranty require a home inspection?
    No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from Choice Home Warranty.
    What can I do if my claim is denied?
    If your claim is denied for any reason, you can ask for Choice Home Warranty to review its decision. The company may ask for maintenance records as part of this review. Choice Home Warranty may deny a claim if the problem is determined to be a preexisting condition or the result of misuse, abuse, neglect or failure to maintain the appliance or system according to the manufacturer’s directions.
    Can I cancel a Choice Home Warranty plan?
    Yes, you can cancel your Choice Home Warranty service within the first 30 days of your initial order for a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund; an administrative fee of up to $50 is assessed.
    Where is Choice Home Warranty available?
    Choice Home Warranty is available in all states except for California and Washington.

Is Choice Home Warranty any good?

Overall, we think the company is worth considering if you decide you want a home warranty. Choice Home Warranty has comparably lower starting costs for plans than some other companies. It also offers occasional specials, like providing the first month of coverage at no charge. Most verified complaints appear to be about claims disputes, which is common with most warranty companies.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Original review: May 17, 2021

The first 2 dispatched were the worst-I wanted my money back- the most unprofessional, untruthful I’ve ever dealt with. No verification of appointment except from email from Choice. A 5 hr window on the day of their choice (which the Ritchie Brothers admitted they give till 8 bc of Choice but stop before 6). No warning or estimate of coming but a call supposedly in their way. And a ten minute time limit to return call before they canceled. The next appointment set up was a no show no call until I contacted Choice myself. It was then while on phone w/ Choice's resolution did I receive a text. And then lied about amount of warning (my phone puts time of VM & text) etc. The next one assigned also made no contact, just a email from Choice. And he too was a complete no show no call or text. They both make Choice Warranty look bad in their choices of who represent Choice.

Pro Comfort were wonderful. Professionalism at its best. Call to verify appointment, called to give estimate time of arrival. They understand that the people they service have jobs as well. Excellent! Only thing was I was told the 75 service fee would be paid by Choice bc of me missing work to accommodate the first 2 technician. I would recommend Pro Heat & Cooling as excellent & recommend to everyone!! I intend to have them do my seasonal check of heat & air. But as far as recommending I’m still unsure. I’m not sure if the reviews I based my decision on were selective. I’ve had home warranty for many years. And was satisfied. The saying you “you get what you pay for” might be the case with Choice. We will see if the customer service gets better. By the way, Resolution Manager Joshua was excellent & gave me his extension but on your automatic system- it would say “transfer failed” & immediately hang up. All 5 times!

Vicci

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've been with Choice home warranty for over 2 yrs now before I had Home shield. It came with my house when we bought it. I would never recommend that company to anyone. It was a joke. I had A $75.00 pay out. First thing that went out 15 days after we bought the house was the ac system. They sent out a technician in his 70s. He said the system was low on r11. I've work on car ac systems for a while now and I asked if he was going to do a leak test. His response was, "No. They lose Freon." Well not if there's no leak they don't. He charged me $110.00 to fill it. It lasted a week. Another call to them they sent out a different technician. He tested it and said my a-coil was bad and I'd have to pay $1500.00. Well they bought out my ac for $800. Had it fixed for $200. All it was is they didn't seal the lock outs.

Choice has never given me a problem on repairs. They even let me use my own service people if they can't get one out and reimbursed me for it. I'll stay with choice. I've only used them for a couple plumbing problems and electrical plugs and a couple ceiling fans but no problem. I carry the Platinum plan. I'd tell every one to get it. My electric box rusted out and it wasn't covered but they gave me some money on it to help cover the cost of replacement. If you take pics and show them what is really wrong they will work with you. I'm very pleased with this company. I'll be a life long customer. They're not like a lot of these rip you off places. They stand behind what they say and guarantee you get the best. I'm old school. If I find a technician I like I stick with them. So far I have a ac and heat, electrical and plumbing. Next to find is a good appliance technician. You get your money's worth with choice home warranty.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Choice Home Warranty has not backed down from their obligation to me. We had a bump in the road when my refrigerator went out and the money they provided for it was enough to help me upgrade my refrigerator. I was curious to see how other home warranty plans worked so I took out a second home warranty plan out and waited to see what might happen. Then my toilet seal broke and I had water running out of the bottom of the toilet. I thought “here is my chance to see what another warranty company would do. I called this other company and they sent a guy out. He looked at my toilet, then went into my crawl space. His news was grim. He said a piece of pipe needed replaced in my crawl. I asked how much it would cost. He gave me the price of $1,050. I was shocked. The other company denied the claim saying it was outside the living space. Not the house, but the living space.

I called Choice at this point, hoping for a better outcome. The plumber was very clean and friendly. I explained what happened with the other company. He pulled my toilet and replaced the wax ring, which solved the problem. Then I asked him for his opinion on the pipes in the crawl. He went into the crawl and came back to tell me that the pipe was fine. It just needed a couple of brackets to hold the pipe up and explained to my roommate how to do it.

The other company cost $60 co-pay and the 6 months I paid for 2 services but was a well earned training tool for me. I had been upset with Choice over my refrigerator but see they were being fair. The person over my choice account on my refrigerator had put me off but this last issue showed me that they were honest and fair. I won’t be leaving Choice Home warranty now. This experience was an eye opener and was well worth the money I spent to compare to another company. I have had three different companies as a home warranty and from the three, Choice home warranty is the best for the money and the companies they send are reliable and honest. Thank you Choice!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

Updated on 07/17/2021: After I filed my claim and an appointment was set up with a technician for my repair, I could not make contact with the technician to verify that he was indeed coming to fix my problem. After leaving repeated messages and texts with him to contact me, he would not respond. When I tried to contact CHW Customer Service I had problems getting them on the phone. I held for quite awhile and then called back to be placed in the queue for a callback from them. After almost 2 hours waiting, I called them back and finally got to talk to an agent. She tried to contact the technician for me and also had no luck. Then she said if he didn't show up by the appointed time window they would reassign the claim to another technician, but that it would start the claim process all over again and I would probably have to wait another few days for repair. This is not what you want to hear when you have a plumbing stoppage and you had already waited 3 days!!!

Luckily, the technician came during the allotted time frame and unstopped the plumbing, but he did not know why my calls and texts were never returned because he was just a technician sent out for the repair and did not own the company. My repair was completed to my satisfaction, but I could have done without all the drama trying to communicate with the technician and CHW Customer Service. A simple phone call from the technician to confirm that someone was coming would have minimized all the stress and drama for me!

Original review: Bruce was very thorough and knowledgeable about the warranties. He provided a lot of excellent information for me to make a decision about a home warranty and provided me with good pricing for my purchase. Looking forward to receiving excellent service from Choice!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I want you to know I have retired recently and been shopping for a home warranty! I was lucky enough to receive a telephone promotion phone call. When I was referred to Francis ** in the sales department, I finally got exactly what I expected from Choice Home Warranty! Your advertisements and consistent emails proved to me that you would be just as likely to serve me as completely! This employee Francis, absolutely did deliver! I made a point of telling him so oh, and also that he made my day!

My first Contact was with Tanya from the call center and on this initial phone call I spoke to a salesperson that provoked me to the point where I dismissed him by hanging up on him!! I called back, ask for management and was put on a waiting queue. I waited a short time and then call back directly to the sales Center, because I went to your website which was very complete and gave me instant and direct contact with Francis. The nature of the professional attitude that Francis delivered immediately made it worth calling back! He made sure I understood that what I had experienced with the previous salesman was unacceptable and that he would definitely make it right! Then much to my surprise I got to experience the different levels such as VIP. I did not know there was even an extended warranty available oh, and the telephone promotion price was so good that I wound up purchasing a 6 year plan!

I would never have known about any of this had I not been inclined to listen to the salesperson I finally did get a hold of. His method of explanation was concise and easy to understand. His great attitude was a relief, and also exactly what I would expect of Choice Home Warranty, which is the reason I responded in the very first place. Six months of shopping through different home warranty companies made my choice easy thanks to the promotion call, and the subsequent follow-up by Superior sales person who showed me the value of my purchase of a home warranty policy!!

Feels good going into the new year fully covered for my most recent efforts at home improvement, including all brand-new appliances, 2 new bathrooms and all Electric and Plumbing.! Again having recently retired and going on to fixed-income makes this an even more valuable policy! I absolutely plan on discussing my purchase with my friends and family and encouraging them to do the same! It just makes great and good sense! Thank you very much!

Original review: July 18, 2021

Very professional, friendly. The agent was knowledgeable in that he explained the problem and ordered the parts necessary to keep the air condition working. We are in a very hot season but he was kind enough to give us temporary relief until the proper parts come in. Thank you.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Claim was very easy to file. They located a Tech for my pool within a hour and it was approved within 1/2 hour. Fast service. I would highly recommend Choice Home Warranty to family and friends. The monthly cost is very affordable and worth the price.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Our A/C stopped working and thankfully we had a warranty with Choice Home Warranty! We were able to select a company of our choice and get reimbursed after their approval. The technician came and diagnosed the problem. Uploaded the diagnosis and pictures to Choice's website and got approval while we waited. It took about an hour. Thankfully the technician was patient and willing to wait. Overall we are so glad it all worked out and Choice paid to have the A/C repaired.

Original review: July 18, 2021

MAN Power Electrical Systems did a great job fixing my issue. He was able to pinpoint the problem quickly and swapped out the bad CGFI outlet. Also, he replaced an outlet on the outside of the house since it was tied to the wire.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I called in to report a repair claim was needed for my sink, shower, and toilet. The claims specialist was polite, knowledgeable and handled my claim, answered questions I had, and gave me a new claim no. A co. picked up the job and will be at my home on Tuesday. Great job and thanks.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information