2. Homeowners

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.02/5
    1907
Based on 12,624 ratings submitted in the last year

Choice Home Warranty offers comprehensive protection plans that protect against the unexpected cost to repair or replace major systems and appliances. The company offers two plans and covers household items regardless of age. Customers can make claims 24/7 through the online account center or by phone. Choice Home Warranty plans are available in all states except California and Washington.

Choice Home Warranty Gallery (2)
BOTTOM LINE

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget security and peace of mind for homeowners and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are older.

PROS
  • Optional roof leak coverage
  • No transfer fee
  • 24/7 customer service
CONS
  • Cancellation fee
  • Not available in all states

Top Choice Home Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

… I was pleased with the service and repair getting completed so quickly. I was also very satisfied with the electrician. He was friendly and knowledgeable. He wore a mask without being asked. He didn't seem to mind answering my many questions. I would recommend them…

Service was quick and he fixed the problem immediately. He was polite and nice. I would recommend him to anyone. Our deductible covered the part and labor. We were very pleased with the quick appointment…

Choice Home Warranty Get a Quote

Choice Home Warranty coverage

Choice Home Warranty covers all major home systems and appliances. In addition to the items covered in the Basic and Total plans, other items are available to add to your coverage plan. Coverage usually begins 30 days after enrollment, and policies typically last one year.

Basic Plan
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Total Plan
The Total Plan covers 18 of the biggest home systems and appliances, including your air conditioning system, refrigerator, and clothes washer and dryer, which are not part of Basic Plan coverage. Covered items include the following:
  • Air conditioning system
  • Ductwork
  • Garage door opener
  • Ceiling and exhaust fans
Optional coverage
After choosing the Basic or Total plan, customers can choose to add any or all of the following optional coverages:
  • Pool and spa
  • Second refrigerator
  • Septic tank pumping
  • Standalone freezer

Choice Home Warranty cost

Choice Home Warranty prices range anywhere from $30 to $55 per month." ALSO, in top picks section of BG, under Plans and pricing, first sentence, change $50 to $55.

Most plans from Choice Home Warranty have a flat $85 trade service call fee per claim. You pay this fee to the service provider who comes to your home. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the coverage limit, the customer is responsible for paying the difference.

Choice Home Warranty exclusions

Choice Home Warranty plans cover all components and parts of certain appliances, such as washers, dryers and garbage disposals. Other appliances and all systems have coverage exclusions. It’s important to read the service agreement thoroughly so you understand the terms before you sign up.

For example, water heaters are covered in Choice Home Warranty’s sample contract, but holding or storage tanks, vents and flues are listed as excluded. This means that if your water heater breaks because of a problem with the storage tank, it won’t be covered.

Keep in mind that Choice Home Warranty also won’t cover any preexisting conditions, whether known or unknown. Misuse, abuse or failure to maintain a system or appliance is another reason a claim can get denied. Ultimately, it’s up to the company whether a covered system or appliance is replaced or repaired.

Choice Home Warranty FAQ

What are Choice Home Warranty’s coverage limits?
Generally, Choice Home Warranty won’t pay out more than $3,000 per contract item. The company will pay up to $500 to provide access to covered items through walls, ceilings or floors and return the opening to “rough finish” condition.
How do I file a claim with Choice Home Warranty?
Customers follow these steps to request a service from Choice Home Warranty:
  1. Call or log in to the online account center to request service as soon as you notice a problem. You can make a claim online or call 24/7.
  2. Choice Home Warranty will then contact one of its authorized contractors to set up service. It will let you know the contractor’s name and phone number and the appointment time — usually within 48 hours.
  3. The contractor arrives for the appointment and repairs or replaces the system or appliance. You pay the service call fee of $85.
Does Choice Home Warranty require a home inspection?
No, a home inspection is not required to get coverage from Choice Home Warranty.
What can I do if my claim is denied?
If your claim is denied for any reason, you can ask for Choice Home Warranty to review its decision. The company may ask for maintenance records as part of this review. Choice Home Warranty may deny a claim if the problem is determined to be a preexisting condition or the result of misuse, abuse, neglect or failure to maintain the appliance or system according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Can I cancel a Choice Home Warranty plan?
Yes, you can cancel your Choice Home Warranty service within the first 30 days of your initial order for a full refund. If you cancel after 30 days, you will receive a prorated refund; an administrative fee of up to $50 is assessed.
Where is Choice Home Warranty available?
Choice Home Warranty is available in all states except for California and Washington.

Is Choice Home Warranty any good?

Overall, we think the company is worth considering if you decide you want a home warranty. Choice Home Warranty has comparably lower starting costs for plans than some other companies. It also offers occasional specials, like providing the first month of coverage at no charge. Most verified complaints appear to be about claims disputes, which is common with most warranty companies.

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I've been with Choice home warranty for over 2 yrs now before I had Home shield. It came with my house when we bought it. I would never recommend that company to anyone. It was a joke. I had A $75.00 pay out. First thing that went out 15 days after we bought the house was the ac system. They sent out a technician in his 70s. He said the system was low on r11. I've work on car ac systems for a while now and I asked if he was going to do a leak test. His response was, "No. They lose Freon." Well not if there's no leak they don't. He charged me $110.00 to fill it. It lasted a week. Another call to them they sent out a different technician. He tested it and said my a-coil was bad and I'd have to pay $1500.00. Well they bought out my ac for $800. Had it fixed for $200. All it was is they didn't seal the lock outs.

Choice has never given me a problem on repairs. They even let me use my own service people if they can't get one out and reimbursed me for it. I'll stay with choice. I've only used them for a couple plumbing problems and electrical plugs and a couple ceiling fans but no problem. I carry the Platinum plan. I'd tell every one to get it. My electric box rusted out and it wasn't covered but they gave me some money on it to help cover the cost of replacement. If you take pics and show them what is really wrong they will work with you. I'm very pleased with this company. I'll be a life long customer. They're not like a lot of these rip you off places. They stand behind what they say and guarantee you get the best. I'm old school. If I find a technician I like I stick with them. So far I have a ac and heat, electrical and plumbing. Next to find is a good appliance technician. You get your money's worth with choice home warranty.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Choice Home Warranty has not backed down from their obligation to me. We had a bump in the road when my refrigerator went out and the money they provided for it was enough to help me upgrade my refrigerator. I was curious to see how other home warranty plans worked so I took out a second home warranty plan out and waited to see what might happen. Then my toilet seal broke and I had water running out of the bottom of the toilet. I thought “here is my chance to see what another warranty company would do. I called this other company and they sent a guy out. He looked at my toilet, then went into my crawl space. His news was grim. He said a piece of pipe needed replaced in my crawl. I asked how much it would cost. He gave me the price of $1,050. I was shocked. The other company denied the claim saying it was outside the living space. Not the house, but the living space.

I called Choice at this point, hoping for a better outcome. The plumber was very clean and friendly. I explained what happened with the other company. He pulled my toilet and replaced the wax ring, which solved the problem. Then I asked him for his opinion on the pipes in the crawl. He went into the crawl and came back to tell me that the pipe was fine. It just needed a couple of brackets to hold the pipe up and explained to my roommate how to do it.

The other company cost $60 co-pay and the 6 months I paid for 2 services but was a well earned training tool for me. I had been upset with Choice over my refrigerator but see they were being fair. The person over my choice account on my refrigerator had put me off but this last issue showed me that they were honest and fair. I won’t be leaving Choice Home warranty now. This experience was an eye opener and was well worth the money I spent to compare to another company. I have had three different companies as a home warranty and from the three, Choice home warranty is the best for the money and the companies they send are reliable and honest. Thank you Choice!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I want you to know I have retired recently and been shopping for a home warranty! I was lucky enough to receive a telephone promotion phone call. When I was referred to Francis ** in the sales department, I finally got exactly what I expected from Choice Home Warranty! Your advertisements and consistent emails proved to me that you would be just as likely to serve me as completely! This employee Francis, absolutely did deliver! I made a point of telling him so oh, and also that he made my day!

My first Contact was with Tanya from the call center and on this initial phone call I spoke to a salesperson that provoked me to the point where I dismissed him by hanging up on him!! I called back, ask for management and was put on a waiting queue. I waited a short time and then call back directly to the sales Center, because I went to your website which was very complete and gave me instant and direct contact with Francis. The nature of the professional attitude that Francis delivered immediately made it worth calling back! He made sure I understood that what I had experienced with the previous salesman was unacceptable and that he would definitely make it right! Then much to my surprise I got to experience the different levels such as VIP. I did not know there was even an extended warranty available oh, and the telephone promotion price was so good that I wound up purchasing a 6 year plan!

I would never have known about any of this had I not been inclined to listen to the salesperson I finally did get a hold of. His method of explanation was concise and easy to understand. His great attitude was a relief, and also exactly what I would expect of Choice Home Warranty, which is the reason I responded in the very first place. Six months of shopping through different home warranty companies made my choice easy thanks to the promotion call, and the subsequent follow-up by Superior sales person who showed me the value of my purchase of a home warranty policy!!

Feels good going into the new year fully covered for my most recent efforts at home improvement, including all brand-new appliances, 2 new bathrooms and all Electric and Plumbing.! Again having recently retired and going on to fixed-income makes this an even more valuable policy! I absolutely plan on discussing my purchase with my friends and family and encouraging them to do the same! It just makes great and good sense! Thank you very much!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

Updated on 03/05/2021: Our Tech showed up on time, was quick and efficient in troubleshooting. Determined the the thermostat was bad, replaced it and things are normal. Only disappointment is that when I questioned the prior tech in December about the thermostat that I thought could have been the prior problem, he said it checked out. So now 3 service calls on one device in a year. Two of whom recommended a new furnace. How do I go about CHOICE giving the go ahead to replace this aging relic.

Original Review: We arrived back home after several weeks away and found the gas heat furnace not turning on. After reporting this to Choice, we promptly received the assigned tech to provide service. Unfortunately we reported on Thursday evening and the service was scheduled Saturday afternoon. Facing two nights in a house without heat for two elderly people was a possibly difficult health hazard. As recommended by Choice, we contacted the tech and requested an earlier service time.

We spent a very uncomfortable night Thursday in the house with portable heaters that were not sufficient and every blanket, quilt and all the clothing we had and we still could not sleep as the tempatures were well below freezing. The tech contacted us Friday morning and stated that he would try to get to us later in the day, he called about 5 pm to state that he was on the way. He arrived maybe a half an hour later and within a short period of time he identified the problem but could not fix as a part needed to be ordered. However, he provided a workaround the provided heat by turning on the furnace and the blower to run full time. This provided us with a much more comfortable evening. He will schedule a return when the part is available. We are very appreciative for his effort to address our issues.

Original review: June 4, 2020

The detergent tray was not draining as designed. Detergent tray would continue to stay full and even fill up with water and not circulate threw when the wash cycle was on. The first tech from (Priority Appliance) arrived as scheduled did some checks made some adjustments washed off a float put it back together said it was repaired, charged me and left. Didn't bother to run a cycle test. Thinking it was repaired we started to wash and after the first load we checked and behold the detergent tray didn't drain and now accumulated even more water.

I contacted the repair service and explained what happened and they said that they would re-send him out the next day. Day 2 and the tech arrived walked in and began to check everything again and stated that everything was fine and working and that the problem was that the detergent tray was too high and that it need to be shortened. I told him that we had no problems since we purchased it 5 years ago. So he said that he would need to cut the plastic tray supports down. I asked him are you sure you should be cutting anything on this machine and that I was not sure he should be doing that. He stated, "Oh yeah we do this and that," he has done this to other customers.

After cutting he put it all back together, my wife stepped in and told him not to leave until he ran a cycle to see if it were fixed. He waited we watched and same problem. Not draining. The tech said he didn't what to do my wife stated to him that it needs to be repaired, you were already paid. The tech said that if we were not happy that we could call another tech or another service and left. I contacted CHW and explained to them what happened and they quickly dispatched another service (Ben's Appliance). He arrived the next day, I explained to him what the problem was with the machine and with the previous tech and he looked at me in awe, stating that in his 8 years of service he had never heard of anything like that.

Ben quickly found the problem told me that he would order the parts and return when they were in. Ben returned a few days later being the weekend quickly made repairs and no more problems. The problem was the water valve's were bad and they just needed replacing. Ben was very polite and informative. I would highly recommend him.

Original review: May 8, 2021

I have had trouble getting to approve repairs. Always have an excuse why they don't cover things. The techs are fine, but can't do anything without their approval. They seem to only cover minor things. And when they cover it, it never is enough to fix or replace. They minimize paying put anything at all. Sad. I finally added another warranty company. So now I have two. Choice warranty will be the first to be used until the year is finished.

Original review: May 8, 2021

The online process to submit a claim was super easy. Technician dispatch confirmation was available by email and call as well. Although appointment was supposed to be for a couple days out, the technician called to see if I was available earlier which I truly appreciated. Overall great service.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Was not happy Choice did not send work order to plumber as soon as we called. Had no hot water for six days. However, the plumber came after I sent Claim number to him and was pleased with that. I would refer the plumber.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Techs came out and thought the problem was fixed but it was not. Choice did a redo and am waiting to set up another appointment when techs call Monday. The service is pretty good and better than it used to be.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Prompt arrival, polite greetings, quick and easy. Professional work. Great job. We are very happy with the service. I would recommend the company contractor and Choice Home Warranty to people. My food disposal was stopped working. Technician came and quickly identified the problem.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information