2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.87/5
Based on 7,445 ratings submitted in the last year

Choice Home Warranty offers comprehensive protection plans that protect against the high cost of repair or replacement of properly maintained major systems and appliances.

A Choice Home Warranty plan can provide budget protection and peace of mind for homeowners, and can make your home more attractive to potential buyers, especially if covered major systems and appliances are aged.

At Choice Home Warranty, we strive to provide the best customer service. You will have a dedicated team of two or three representatives, who will always be thoroughly involved in your claim and available to help you with any questions that you may have.

Choice Home Warranty Gallery (2)

BOTTOM LINE

Choice Home Warranty covers major home appliances and systems at a great monthly rate. If you don’t anticipate multiple breakdowns a year, they should be more than enough to cover normal wear and tear of your items.

PROS

• Available in 48 states
  • Roof leak coverage available
  • Low monthly cost
  • Long guarantee on parts

CONS

• Coverage not available in California
  • Low coverage limits for some items

Top Choice Home Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Had trouble with our AC unit not shutting off, called Choice, fast response to our problem. ... They approved the repair and in less than 24 hrs my unit was fixed and we were cool again. Living in the south it's very important to have a quick response. Thank you Choice, prompt and easy response.

I called because my washing machine was leaking water, this happened on a Sunday night. They put the claim in Monday we had a date and the repairman was out on Tuesday. Very fast service. I also have to thank the customer service rep as well. All we had to pay was the deductible.

Choice Home Warranty Get a Quote

Choice Home Warranty plans

Choice Home Warranty offers two plan options for home warranty coverage and is available in 48 states, excluding California and Washington. Both plans cover a mix of appliances and systems.

• Basic Plan: Covers 14 common home appliances and systems but lacks coverages for some major systems) and major appliances.
  • Total Plan: Covers 18 of the biggest home systems and appliances, including popular items not covered by the Basic Plan.

Choice Home Warranty cost

Choice Home Warranty has comparably lower starting costs for each of their coverage plans. On average, users will pay anywhere from $30 to $40 per month for a Choice Home Warranty. If your home is larger than 5,000 square feet, you could pay more.

Basic PlanTotal Plan
Average yearly cost$495$600
Service call fee$85$85
* Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing in your location.

Choice Home Warranty coverage

Choice Home Warranty covers all major home systems and appliances. In addition to the items covered in their Basic and Total plans, other items are available to add on to your coverage plan. These items include pools and spas, well pumps, sump pumps, central vacuums, septic systems and septic tank plumbing, second refrigerators, stand-alone freezers and limited roof leak protection, which can be hard to find in the home warranty industry.

Basic Plan

• Washer/dryer
  • Whirlpool bathtub

Choice Home Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Choice Home Warranty?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have had problems with my Samsung refrigerator ice maker not working. CHW had sent out a tech 3-4 times who kept ordering parts which would make the ice maker work for a little while but then would eventually quit. This last time, the same tech came out and said a whole new system would have to be installed. I argued with CHW about this and they finally agreed to it. The repair tech's company never got back in touch with me. I kept calling for updates and was told the parts were on order. That lasted about 4 months. I called CHW and they contacted the tech who said they would reorder the parts.

Another 2 weeks go by and I try calling the repair tech company who will not return my calls. I contact CHW who tries to contact the tech company and does not get any better response. By now I am extremely upset and frustrated as I have been buying bags of ice at the grocery store every couple of days. I ask to speak to a supervisor. CHW apologizes and said they will get a new tech out asap. The new tech sets up an appointment within a couple of days, for which I have to take off time from work - again.

This tech seems to really know what is wrong and how to repair this Samsung icemaker. He orders the parts while he is at my house and it is all approved from CHW while he is there! Thank goodness! AND, I have a date already scheduled for the tech to come back out and install the replacement parts. That's what should have happened in the first place!!! But I am thankful CHW did get a new tech out really quick after 4+ months of this nonsense, let alone the year or more of dealing with the other incompetent tech.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

This visit by Appliance-Appliance repair went much better than the first visit. On the first visit the technician said the mother-board to the dryer needed to be replaced. Choice Home warranty did not want to pay for the motherboard. They encouraged me to get a new dryer but would only pay a small amount (about 250-$300) for a dryer that retails around 600-$700. Unacceptable. While using a laundry-mat for about 6 months to dry clothing I asked to Choice Warranty to send a different technician and hopefully a different repair company other than Appliance-Appliance out to troubleshoot the dryer problem again. This technician troubleshot the end item and problem as a faulty heater element. He replaced it and so far the dryer works fine so far but I had to pay $45 twice for service calls and go without a dryer for an extended period. Unacceptable.

I am debating whether to renew my 3 year Home Warranty with Choice Home Warranty at this time. If I do renew I would like Choice to send qualified and reputable technicians and repair companies to the house. Not some fly by night tech who may or may not show up when scheduled, or a company that will guess at the cause of the trouble and just randomly replaces parts rather than actually troubleshoot the problem. It may be more expensive for Choice but why not dispatch reputable repair companies like Sears or BGE etc. than smaller repair companies. If the tech is good, and qualified, and reliable and honest I have no problem with the company. However 2 of the last 3 visits for service calls have went badly and that is why my opinion of Choice Home Warranty has soured.

Original review: June 4, 2020

The detergent tray was not draining as designed. Detergent tray would continue to stay full and even fill up with water and not circulate threw when the wash cycle was on. The first tech from (Priority Appliance) arrived as scheduled did some checks made some adjustments washed off a float put it back together said it was repaired, charged me and left. Didn't bother to run a cycle test. Thinking it was repaired we started to wash and after the first load we checked and behold the detergent tray didn't drain and now accumulated even more water.

I contacted the repair service and explained what happened and they said that they would re-send him out the next day. Day 2 and the tech arrived walked in and began to check everything again and stated that everything was fine and working and that the problem was that the detergent tray was too high and that it need to be shortened. I told him that we had no problems since we purchased it 5 years ago. So he said that he would need to cut the plastic tray supports down. I asked him are you sure you should be cutting anything on this machine and that I was not sure he should be doing that. He stated, "Oh yeah we do this and that," he has done this to other customers.

After cutting he put it all back together, my wife stepped in and told him not to leave until he ran a cycle to see if it were fixed. He waited we watched and same problem. Not draining. The tech said he didn't what to do my wife stated to him that it needs to be repaired, you were already paid. The tech said that if we were not happy that we could call another tech or another service and left. I contacted CHW and explained to them what happened and they quickly dispatched another service (Ben's Appliance). He arrived the next day, I explained to him what the problem was with the machine and with the previous tech and he looked at me in awe, stating that in his 8 years of service he had never heard of anything like that.

Ben quickly found the problem told me that he would order the parts and return when they were in. Ben returned a few days later being the weekend quickly made repairs and no more problems. The problem was the water valve's were bad and they just needed replacing. Ben was very polite and informative. I would highly recommend him.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Always spoke with a live person and callback feature was excellent. All CRS took ownership of the issues and resolved them fairly and efficiently in the same call. They were able to adjust immediately. In the first instance, Wendy was able to change my start date since my previous warranty home company ended on March 16 and would not have been able to start till April 2. They were able to change the date albeit to March 2 (not when I used it on March 23) since I needed the service. The second example after the service itself was completed was related to the service provider and payment. Frieda called me and read my note on my reply online, did some research and offered a very fair resolution due to the unusual nature of the times. The call was cut off but no worries- I received an email shortly with the promised resolution. At all times, both CRS were pleasant, and focused on helping solve the issues and not blame.

I was with my previous home warranty company for more than 15 years and they started out this way but eventually customer service became poor hence the switch to CHW. CHW takes ownership of problems, has fast response, efficient and uses online and email communications that really put my mid at ease. With this high level of service I have developed a sense of trust and confidence with them as they go the extra mile. I hope to be with them for years to come.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Called in my claim and was given a claim number which I have erased and it was a very smooth process from your agent and got a follow up call from Lightfoot a/c and was scheduled a time for him to come and next morning he called and said he had an opening for that day. Showed up in 30 minutes and heater unit diagnosed in 15-20 minutes and told me my blower motor was bad and replaced it. It worked ok for several hours then started blowing cool air. I called the technician the next morning and he was there about an hour and checked system. Had had found a bad circuit board and replaced it and heater works fine now.

A great a/c company and very honest technician who was very knowledgeable. I was told by the a/c guy that comes twice a year or more that I needed a heat exchanger replace wich he said would be $2800.00 to replace and lightfoot's tech said the exchanger was ok and that it would be some other issue with the unit and he was right on the money and saved me that $2800. I had forgot I had this warranty until the first guy told me how much to replace the heat exchanger would be and my brain woke up and remembered the warranty, what I learned from this is the other a/c company did not know what there doing or they are padding their repairs with expensive repairs that really aren’t the issue. I will be using lightfoot not my bi annual checks on heater and cooling.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

After many years with American Home Shield, and nothing but dissatisfaction and fighting to get anything done, today I joined the Choice Team. The professionalism, coverage and price is actually refreshing! Looking forward to a more “worry-free” experience in the coming years.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

In under 48 hours CHW had an excellent AC company come to our house and fix the AC unit. All around outstanding service. Quick to answer our initial call. Fast to get a company to accept the job. Fast, friendly service by a very reputable AC company. Could not be more pleased. Thank you CHW!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Our sign-up experience was wonderful. Very easy and Sal did a great job answering our questions and finding us additional discounts. Highly recommend this!!!! Coverage on the total plan is everything we wanted and we got to add a stand-alone freezer for one reasonable annual rate.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

The contractor was nice & friendly. They let me know the approximate time they would be arriving & they showed up within that time frame. They did not have a problem cleaning up behind themselves & I really appreciate that.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Process was quick and easy. The contact with the agent went well. The technician was very polite, worked quickly and efficiently. He took care to put on booties to protect the hardwood floors. We would be happy to use him again. The replacement unit has only a 1-year warranty so is near the bottom in quality.

Choice Home Warranty coverage exclusions

Home warranties are designed to cover normal wear and tear of the appliances and systems in a home. Warranties generally don’t cover pre-existing conditions, cosmetic issues or item upgrades.

Sometimes, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. For example, while Choice provides coverage for clothes dryers, that coverage doesn't extend to problems regarding noise, venting, lint screens, knobs and dials, doors, door seals, hinges, glass, leveling and balancing, or damage to clothing. A full list of inclusions and exclusions can be found in Choice Home Warranty’s user agreement.

Choice Home Warranty coverage limits

Many home warranty contracts will specify a coverage limit, which is the maximum dollar amount they agree to pay out per item or per contract term. If the cost of a repair or replacement exceeds the coverage limit, the customer is responsible for making up the difference to get the item fixed.

Choice Home Warranty provides a dollar amount coverage limit for their covered systems. Choice Home Warranty’s user agreement does not specify a dollar amount coverage limit for appliances. The coverage caps listed below represent the total the company will pay to access, diagnosis and repair or replacement the system in question. A limit may be set per covered item or per contract term, generally one year.

ItemCoverage limit
    Septic tank plumbingLimited to a total of $200 maximum
    Well pump$500 per contract term

Choice Home Warranty claims

Customers follow these steps to request a service from Choice Home Warranty:

1. Call or login to the online account center to report your requested repair. Choice Home Warranty’s call center is open 24/7 every day of the year.
    2. Choice will then contact one of their authorized technicians. This will occur within 48 hours of your initial request.
    3. The service professional will reach out to you to schedule your service.
    4. Service call takes place.
    5. Payment is due in the form of your pre-set service call fee ($75).

Choice Home Warranty guarantees their technician’s work for 30 days on labor and 90 days on parts. Should an issue occur with the repaired item within this time period, you will not be required to pay another service call fee to get the item serviced again.

Choice Home Warranty FAQ

Does Choice Home Warranty require a home inspection?

No home inspection is required to get coverage from Choice Home Warranty. However, they do not cover pre-existing conditions. This is typical of most home warranty providers.

What do I do if my claim is denied?

Choice Home Warranty may deny a claim if the problem is determined to be a pre-existing condition or the result of misuse or abuse. It’s important to keep up with regular maintenance on your home’s systems and appliances, even if you have a home warranty. A home warranty will not provide maintenance services for you. If your claim is denied for any reason, you may submit an appeal and request to have the decision reviewed. If your claim or appeal is denied, you would be responsible for the cost of the repair.

How do I cancel Choice Home Warranty?

You may cancel your Choice Home Warranty service within the first 30 days of your initial order for a full refund. A $50 fee will be assessed.

Is Choice Home Warranty worth it?

Choice Home Warranty covers most major systems and appliances at a relatively low cost. If you’re looking for home protection in the form of a warranty, Choice Home Warranty may serve you well. It’s an especially good choice if you’re concerned about roof leaks since Choice Home Warranty is one of the few companies to offer limited roof leakage protection.

Whether a home warranty is worth it really comes down to how often you plan to use it. If you anticipate needing more than a few home repairs in the coming year, a home warranty can be a solid investment for your budget and your peace of mind.

Choice Home Warranty Company Information