3.8/5 (29 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Vincent Landino

About American Dream Auto Protect

American Dream Auto Protect sells three levels of vehicle service contracts, also called extended auto warranties. These plans are available for both new and used vehicles (most qualifying vehicles were made in 2000 or later). You can also customize your policy so you don’t pay for coverage you don’t need. American Dream Auto Protect’s service department is available 24/7 to answer questions and connect you with its network of ASE-certified mechanics.

Pros

• Covers new and pre-owned vehicles
    • Three plan options
    • Network of over 50,000 mechanics
    • Most contracts are transferable

Cons

• No immediate quotes

Bottom Line

American Dream Auto Protect helps you cover the cost of fixing your car after it breaks down. However, upfront details on coverage and pricing are limited, and you’ll have to wait up to 24 hours for a price quote.

What is American Dream Auto Protect?

American Dream Auto Protect is an auto warranty company offering three customizable levels of coverage for new and pre-owned vehicles. In the event of a covered breakdown, American Dream Auto Protect will work directly with a mechanic to ensure your vehicle gets the repairs it needs.

American Dream Auto Protect has a nationwide network of over 50,000 ASE-certified mechanics, and it offers 24/7 customer service.

How does American Dream Auto Protect work?

With American Dream Auto Protect, you have the ability to choose a plan from one of its three standard options or customize coverage to fit your needs. Its customer service team can help you navigate your options to find a plan that makes sense for you and your vehicle.

Once you’re enrolled in coverage, your vehicle is covered against certain breakdowns that result from regular use, based on the coverage you choose. That means, should a covered item break or malfunction, American Dream Auto Protect will pay to repair or replace it, as long as the cost falls within your coverage limit.

Once you call American Dream Auto Protect’s customer service department, they will connect you to one of the over 50,000 ASE-certified mechanics in the company’s network. You’ll need to pay a deductible, but otherwise the cost of repairing or replacing the broken component(s) is covered up to the limit listed in your contract. American Dream Auto Protect works directly with the mechanic shop for payment.

American Dream Auto Protect plans

American Dream Auto Protect offers three standard plan options (Silver, Gold and Platinum), plus the ability to customize coverage to your needs. You can see a breakdown of what each plan covers below.

SilverGoldPlatinum
    Suspension
    Silver
    Gold
    Platinum

All plans also include a cancellation option, a monthly payment plan, free towing/rental cars and a money-back guarantee.

How much does American Dream Auto Protect cost?

American Dream Auto Protect doesn’t publish prices for its auto warranty plans, but that’s not uncommon in the industry. To find out how much one of its extended auto warranties will cost you, you’ll have to fill out its online form for a free quote.

This form will require you to provide some personal information as well as your car’s:

• Make
    • Model
    • Age
    • Mileage

Once you submit this form, one of American Dream Auto Protect’s representatives will reach out to you within 24 hours with pricing information.

It’s also worth mentioning that, at the time of publishing, American Dream Auto Protect offers discounts for covering multiple vehicles, and all plans include a free first month of service.

American Dream Auto Protect FAQ

What is American Dream Auto Protect’s coverage limit?
    Extended auto warranty providers generally have two sets of coverage limits — limits defining which vehicles qualify for coverage and limits defining the company’s liability for repairs.

American Dream Auto Protect doesn’t provide specific limits on what sorts of vehicles it will cover, but it does say that most vehicles it covers are from the year 2000 or later. This is a few years older than what many warranty providers allow, so American Dream Auto Protect may be a good option if you’re looking to cover an older vehicle.

We reached out to American Dream Auto Protect for a sample contract, and under the terms of that contract:

• The maximum payout for a single repair is the current trade-in value of your vehicle.
    • The maximum total payout for all repairs is either what you paid for the vehicle or whatever your vehicle’s trade-in value was at the time you purchased your plan — whichever is lower.

However, these details can differ on the actual contract you sign, so it’s smart to read your contract thoroughly and make sure you understand the limits of your coverage before you sign up.

Can I choose my own repair shop with American Dream Auto Protect?
    When you have trouble with your vehicle, American Dream Auto Protect directs you to an ASE-certified mechanic from its network. According to the sample contract we read, you are also free to choose your own mechanic within this network, but this may differ in your contract, so be sure to read it thoroughly before signing.
    What does American Dream Auto Protect cover?
    American Dream Auto Protect’s most comprehensive plan (Platinum) covers your vehicle’s:
    • Engine
    • Navigation/GPS
    • Air conditioning
    • Seals and gaskets
    • Suspension

All plans also include towing and rental car coverage.

Is an American Dream Auto Protect warranty transferable?
    Most of American Dream Auto Protect’s contracts are transferable in the event you sell your vehicle to another person. However, it’s worth checking the terms of your contract to be sure before you sign.

Is American Dream Auto Protect worth it?

American Dream Auto Protect offers a range of coverage options and some helpful benefits, like towing, 24/7 customer service and a large network of mechanics. However, it doesn’t publish information on pricing or coverage limits on its website, so you have to work with a salesperson to learn those critical details. This can make comparison-shopping between companies more of a headache, but it might be worth it if the terms of your contract and price quote are to your liking.

American Dream Auto Protect Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Dream Auto Protect?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Dream Auto Protect?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Everybody was great and friendly at American Dream. But they are a company for people with money sitting around. They’re bumper-to-bumper. Everything was exactly what I wanted, but they just make no arrangements for payments. I purchased a vehicle that I paid cash for so didn't have much money. I was looking for a service plan that would allow me to make payments over time. American Dream wanted a grand upfront and a grand for four months straight. I told them I wouldn't have it and they said they would work with me. They took $100 and I said, “I'm not going to have $1,000 in a month but I will make a payment.”

I had the car for a little over a week and a guy from American Dream called me and it was a collection call. It made me so uncomfortable that I peeked out the window to make sure my car was there. That's how hard he came at me. He was not disrespectful or rude, but I did not need to be concerned about anything financial. I was ready to make the payments monthly, but I knew I couldn't do what they wanted so I just had to let it go.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Setting up my package was a really easy process to go through. The rep guided me through the different plans that they have. I was really impressed with the amount of coverage that we received. I had to use it one time and I was a little nervous because I had reached out to American Dream before I took the vehicle in. I drive a Mercedes and they pick it up for me so it saves the company money on that end. I wanted to make sure that we were going through the right process to get the vehicle evaluated. Once I got to the dealership, they told me what to do as far as having it diagnosed and Mercedes getting in contact with them. But we went several days where we weren't able to get in touch with American Dream either on my end or on Mercedes'.

When we finally got in touch with them, they didn't want to cover the claim. So, I had to explain that taking a vehicle in to have it diagnosed is like going to the doctor. The dealership is always gonna give everything they think might be wrong with it even though you as a consumer know that's not wrong with your vehicle. Once I explained that to them, they were okay with it and covered everything. After we got over that hurdle, the associate at Mercedes was impressed with American Dream. I definitely recommend them but you have to be your own advocate and sometimes guide employees through understanding the diagnostic test and let them know what happened.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

I was working with this guy from American Dream Auto Protect and we were going through the numbers. There was always that little bargaining like, “I can't do this.” “So what can you do?” I thought we had come to an equal knowing about how it would go. I gave him my information for the premium and the monthly. And I told him, when he called back, to double. He said he had to check with whoever was over him, to see if it was okay. He never got back to me on that. And next thing I knew, the amount had been debited from my account. So, I wasn't pleased about that. The product is good. I just didn't like the kind of salesmanship. It was shady. He went about his business. I don't like people going to my account taking stuff out without me knowing. And I'm sure anybody would feel the same way. But I needed the warranty for my car, and I let him know.

I emailed him, he texted me back. And let him know, “I see you went into my account and took out this money. I was waiting for you to get back to me on whether your boss was gonna approve it or not.” We hadn’t agreed on it, but it's there now. I wanted the electrical, the dash, all of that stuff. I got everything. I know anything can go wrong. And if the one thing that you don't get covered, that is what is gonna go bad.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

I bought a car and it didn't have an extended warranty. It’s very expensive to go to a mechanic without coverage. I researched, found American Dream, and signed up. American Dream is good so try them. So far, no problems. I went to the dealership and they said that something needed to be replaced in my car. I gave them my extended warranty's name and the guy at the dealership was gonna call them. As of last Friday, he was waiting for authorization.

Original review: May 12, 2022

My 2005 Mercedes SL500 is covered by American Dream. I had looked into multiple companies. The company that the dealer was offering me was a much shorter limit. It was a three-year and it was almost $1,000 more. Then a couple of the other places that I had looked into wouldn’t cover a car that was that old. So, American Dream has the better product at a lower price, which seemed to be what I was looking for. Their salesperson was really great. He was able to explain and answer all of my questions. He was very pleasant over the phone. I was able to understand him, which made a big difference.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2022

The guy that I had gotten from American Dream was really nice. He was very adamant. He had called me multiple times, but if you're trying to be a good salesman, I would do the same thing. I was trying to find the cheapest deal that I could get because we’re on a fixed income and he was able to get it down pretty low. For the amount and coverage, we didn't wanna go anywhere else. I'm gonna be taking my car in next week. There’s a check in the engine. I did call American Dream, and I spoke to another guy. He was like, “Oh, yeah. You just take it in. You give them your claim policy and they can get ahold of us.”

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

I used American Dream Auto Protect but got a runaround. My air conditioner went out on my car. They told me to take it to a shop. I took it to a shop and they wanted to talk to American Dream because they had never heard of them before. They talked to them and explained that it was a $150 diagnostic fee. They agreed to fix my car for me. They put me back on the line and the guy told me I gotta pay $150. I told him my deductible is only $50. He said, "You gotta pay for the estimate. If we decide we're gonna pay for the repairs, then we'll pay that too." I said, "What do you mean you get to decide what to repair? I've got bumper to bumper warranty on my whole car. There's no you deciding. That's what I bought. That's what you told me I was getting, and now you're telling me that my $50 deductible is crap and I've gotta pay $150 off the bat. If you decide that you don't wanna pay for it, I lose that $150, and I don't get my car fixed."

I've asked for my money back. It's been three weeks, but they haven't made any type of move. I turned it over to my bank, and they're trying to get my money back now. If they don't do it, I'll see my lawyer about it. I'm also gonna file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau unless I get my money back right away. I got their best plan which cost me $2,000, but I'm still driving with a busted air conditioner. Whenever you call in to their membership line and talk to somebody to report a claim, nobody ever answers. You get an answering machine. Every time I've talked to somebody, I've had to go through the purchase department.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

I have my 2013 Subaru covered with American Dream. The cost is really high but the plan stuff they offer is pretty good. The only thing I have issues with is the first time I talked to them, they were very pushy. It ended up me and the first guy getting into it on the phone because he kept pushing and pushing, and I said, "Well, let me think about it because it is a lot of money just for an extended warranty." I also said, "I don't use a bank or anything, I'm all cash. I don't believe in banks." He said, "Well, then how about you go get a prepaid card and pay it?" I was like, "Well, let me have a couple of days to think about it." He said, "Well, if you don't do it today, then the price is gonna go up."

Then I said, "I'm gonna have to get a prepaid card to pay it when I wanted if I decide to get it." He said, "I don't believe it. Everybody has a card." I said, "I don't believe in banks, I don't believe in credit cards." He just kept going and going. Finally, he was like, "You don't need to lie to me. If you don't want to, just tell me." I was like, "Dude, you're barking at the wrong tree. Don't come at me like that." He was like, "Well, then I just don't think you want it." He bothered me for a month straight. He was very persistent and very rude.

When I first went to do it, it was like $1,800. It was $900 upfront and $900 in payments. Then, when they called me back a month later, it was $3,600 and payments of 700 something dollars a month. I said, "That's kinda awfully high, steep." He was like, "Yeah, but nobody can give you a good discount like this." I said, "Am I gonna get a receipt? Am I gonna get paperwork showing my claim or my warranty, everything like that?" I haven't received anything. I've called them five times trying to get the paperwork, and nobody answers their phone. I have a policy number, but I don't have any paperwork. I have no information on this. They're very persistent to take the money, but for them to get you the paperwork and stuff that you need to carry, I haven't received it yet. That's kind of bothersome.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

When I signed up with American Dream, the experience was nice. I got helped by two salesmen but Henry was the one that helped me the most. He tried to get a couple of sales off but he ended up convincing me with a good deal and he helped me understand my life situation. The customer service is definitely top-tier. Everything is going well and if I have to use American Dream’s service, hopefully, I get things covered.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

The rep was attentive and persistent but not in a harassing way, which was nice. He was a good salesman. He was being aggressive in the sense of wanting me to buy yet not being pushy to the point of me getting frustrated. But since I got the subscription with American Dream, I've tried to contact them and I've only gotten voicemails, which is scary to me. I haven't been able to reach anybody except for somebody in the sales office, which is making me a little frustrated. I've spoken to the people in the sales team and I told them that was the number that I was given. I only tried it one day but I tried four times in that day and I was able to get through the sales department. I didn't have to file a claim. I just wanted to call and check in. I'm gonna make a stop payment because that concerns me now. They already took out $400 and then they're gonna take out another $400.

American Dream Auto Protect Company Information