1.59/5
Based on 44 reviews that contain star ratings

Discover the right moving company for you

48 National Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

The survey of our moving and estimate was a very pleasant experience. We paid the full amount of the Customer Benefit Quote. The crew leader did an excellent job packing, managing her crew and taking care of us. The loading day was OK, but we did not feel that the crew was very careful loading the truck – fragile items not handled carefully and some heavy boxes placed on top of lighter ones. The process also took much longer than we were told it would as the crew leader had been sent to another job and the crew was shorthanded.

The delivery window was June 19 – 25. We were notified that the shipment was delayed. No reason was given but, after discussion, we were told by customer service that we would be compensated $125 per day of delay. The truck arrived on July 7, 12 days late. We were then told the shipment was incomplete and the rest of our things would come later. I talked to customer service and was told that we would be compensated for the delay of these items, at less than the rate paid for the first delay, and I agreed that that was fair.

After about 20 boxes had been unloaded I was given an Inventory Control Tag sheet to mark off. The driver assured me that he had diligently checked all of the items as they were loaded on the truck. Rather than have all of the unloaded items taken back out of the storage unit so that they could be checked off on the form, I took his word for it and only made note of damaged items.

A number of boxes and items were shipped in a large (approx 4 ft by 8 ft by 10ft??) wooden crate carried on the outside of the trailer. The box was partially covered with a tarp, but it was evident, looking at the crate edges and seams, that the crate had been wet during some part of the trip. The damaged items are itemized on the damage claim form, but a summary is: A number of boxes showed evidence, on their outside, of having been wet. They have not yet been opened to assess damage to the contents.

Seventeen boxes were crushed and damage to items inside could be seen through the broken boxes. An African leather ottoman, which had not been wrapped, and was in the outside box, had serious mold on the leather top. A bookshelf has the top shelf broken. A carved wooden rocking chair has the top right corner broken off. The driver told me that it was broken before loading on his truck and that National told him they would repair it. A two-drawer filing cabinet has 3 of the 4 wheels broken off. The balance of the shipment arrived 12 days later on July 19.

It is now August 3rd and: 1. We have not received the refund of our overpayment as our actual charges were $392.27 less than the Customer Benefit price that we paid. 2. When asking about the delayed arrival compensation we were told by customer service that we would NOT receive anything for the second delay of the balance of our items – which we had previously been told that we would receive. 3. We have not received the payment for the first delay. Need I say that we are deeply disappointed in both your moving service, the lack of information on the status of our belongings, that National is not taking responsibility for our second delay and going back on its word to compensate us for it and that it is now August 4th, 50 days after our worldly goods were packed and loaded and we have not received ANY refund of overpayment or compensation what so ever.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

This was the worst experience ever. The truck driver Eddie was the rudest person I have ever met. He left Albuquerque with my mother's furniture last week and delivered today in Redding, CA. He was very rude to my sister and mother on delivery. I will never use this company again and Eddie needs to get a new attitude towards customers. Eddie stated he owned the truck he was driving with your logo stamped all over it. So I guess he is way beyond everybody else. Eddie you not only treated me like crap but then you went and treated my mother and sister the same way REALLY. Hope we never meet again. To all of my friends and family do not use this company. Big mistake.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Moving is a multidimensional project. At one level, NVL did an very good job moving us from Oregon to Maryland. But there are a couple of things to be on guard for. First, their contracted packers in Portland were, to put it politely, lazy. After working slowly the day before the van showed up, they had to be called back the next day to finish a job that they should have finished the day before. This isn't necessarily NVL's direct fault but it is they whom we hired and were in job.

More problematical is making sure all your stuff gets loaded. After a walkthrough with the driver before loading and making specific reference to an extension ladder and stabilizer attachment, the ladder did not get loaded on the van. Okay - it was missed. But as it was missed, there was no inventory tag. So in NVL's eyes, it never existed. We filed a claim for about $300 (note: we took the 100% insurance option). Our claim was denied despite my repeated comments to them that the driver and I had identified the ladder (which was in our backyard) and past which other items were brought to the truck.

The moral to this: do NOT sign off on any papers until you have personally ensured EVERYTHING is recorded and loaded. A corollary is when the goods are delivered, go through each line and cross-check it to the item(s) that are tagged. It is a hectic day, to be sure, but despite the 100% full insurance coverage, if initial something was received in the haste to get things done and later you realize it is missing, you're screwed. There is no negotiation, period. Some years ago moving to Oregon, we used United Van Lines. This episode left such a bitter taste in my mouth, I wish we had used them instead of NVL.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We had many problems with this company. They damaged items. They arrived in a huge hurry because they said they were running late on deliveries. They dropped everything off and the driver handed me a yellow paper to sign. I asked if I could go through and check off the boxes to be sure everything was there. He replied that was not necessary as everything had been checked off when it was picked up. I naively did not question him more, as he was practically out the door at that point. After unpacking, we noticed there was a large box missing containing a valuable painting. They never found it and when I filed a claim, they said it was denied because I had signed the yellow sheet. The driver must have checked off all the boxes after he left. AND they never bothered to send me any correspondence that the claim was denied. They are a horrible company and should not be trusted.

Original review: July 18, 2018

DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY!!! When National Van Lines picked up my things, they were very nice and I thought I made the right choice. Oh was I extremely wrong. My things were supposed to be delivered over a week ago now. Not once did they call me so I called Cobra, the new moving company that I had no idea I got switched to. They were less than helpful, telling me they could not give me any information as to where my things were or approximately when they would be delivered. I explained I moved into a high rise and needed to reserve the elevator and needed to know at least the day before. No help. I said I wanted to speak to the manager and he said that was him.

Finally, I got somewhere in a week when I was given the number to the driver who seemed really nice at first. He told me he just picked up my things from the original location, 3 days after it was supposed to be here! He was very nice until the day of the move. He was supposed to be at my apartment at 9am. 5 hours pass and during that time I had called the driver for the first 1.5 hours with no answer from him except an automated text saying "I'll call you right back." Never received a call. I continually called and told him if they don't let me know when they will be here they will be carrying the things up to the 6th floor because I only had the elevator reserved until 1. That got their attention.

Then he proceeds to tell me that someone from the moving company took my stuff this morning at 9 and was supposed to deliver it. I asked why I was not informed of this and then he tells me "Oh I just found out." So he didn't even know where my stuff was when it was supposed to be under his supervision? Then he gives me the number of who apparently has my things, this man tells me that my things have not been moved and they were at another move this morning that was taking longer. I told him that they were supposed to be there at 9 and he says, "Oh we won’t be there until the afternoon." Then tells me that the tractor trailer (that I had no idea was involved until the day before) would not fit into my complex. I told him that I have talked to the guards and it has been done before. He proceeds to tell me basically that I am stupid and don't know what I am talking about and when I started to fight back, he hung up on me.

Then I was not able to get in touch with them for another hour. He kept ignoring my calls. Finally, I got through and he said he was leaving and should be here in 30 minutes. They finally arrived an hour and a half later. This is 5 hours after it was originally supposed to arrive. I had to pay extra for a long haul, I originally was told that I could pay with a credit card. The guy had called his manager and explained what I said, the manager proceeded to tell me that no one ever told me I could do this and that. I must be lying because they weren’t open the day before. The driver the day before told me I could pay with the credit card. Regardless, he continued to yell at me, at which point I hung up and told them I would go to the bank to get the remaining money. I asked for my $2000 back because I did not trust them to not take the money and run.

At this point he told me that he could not give me my money back because they needed to unload the van. I told him, he is not allowed in my house while I am not here and he said they were going to unload it in the parking lot. I told him no they can wait until I get back and I wanted to keep the $2000. He then told me he was going to charge $150 for me making them wait. Then proceeded to ask with a smug smile "Do you not trust us?" I told him to get out of my house and locked the door. I made sure the guard knew that they had all my money and if they tried to leave to call the cops.

After going to the bank, I had asked them for their names and was told I had to call the main office. Good luck trying to get in touch with them. I had finally got ahold of someone and it was the man that said he was the manager before a week ago. I asked him if I could get the names of the people moving me in and he said, "Hold on," another man answered the phone and proceeded to yell at me using my name asking why I was making all this commotion and why I could not just let the men do their job. I asked him who he was and what he was talking about. He asked if I was Lisa and I said, "I don’t know what you are talking about," and he says “I’m sorry I got you mixed up with someone else.” At this point I requested to speak to the original person and he proceeded to tell me I could not, I told him I would not speak to him after the way he was just yelling at me.

Finally, I was talking to the original man who I then asked who it was I just spoke to. He said it was the manager. At this time, I called this man out about our previous conversation where he told me he was the manager. Now he says he is the assistant manager. The true manager comes back on the phone and proceeds to yell at me and then asks if I am Italian and says that I am disrespectful and asking who raised me. I have no idea what that has to do with my move. He then is talking over me and continues to ask “what do you want, what do you want, what do you want.” I told him if he could stop talking over me for one minute I would explain what I was trying to get. I asked for the names of the people moving me in, he then tells me to ask the people moving me in. I told him that they would not tell me and that I needed to call the office and I could get that information.

He then yells at me “what do you want their social security? Their birth certificates what?!” I gave the phone to the driver and asked him to have his boss give me their names. He then tells his boss “I don’t know what she is talking about, I told her my name is Fernando.” At this point I interrupted him saying that he never said that. All I wanted was names of the people who are moving my things. Why is that something that I need to be yelled at and have racist comments thrown at me for. At another point, the driver was on the phone with the manager and I can clearly hear their conversation talking about me calling me rude names.

Only two men actually moved my things, the other 3 sat in the truck the entire time. Then I am supposed to sign a receipt at the end but it does not say the balance is $0. I asked him to write it and he says, "Oh but it shows you paid it right here." I refused to sign until the balance said 0 and he was angry about that as well. I had multiple things that were broken and water damage to my TV. I have no idea why my TV has water damage, the only thing I can think of is that they store customer's things outside in their backyard because this is not a legitimate company. I have to start the appeals process and this will be another headache and stress that I am not even sure is worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Van Lines?

Original review: June 20, 2018

This company should be investigated! No communication unless you call them. Called to confirm my delivery for the 22nd, & told on the 20th that it had not left Calif. yet! Then told they didn't know where it was but the delivery would have to be pushed back to the 25th to the 30th! They did email me to ask for payment though, that was the ONLY communication they initiated after signing the contract. Still don't know where my stuff is or when it will be delivered!!! Think twice before trusting this company with your move!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

We moved from Dallas to Los Angeles via National Van Lines. Three items were broken during the move including a vase and TV. We can't seem to get them to cover the damages. We continue to go in circles with the claims adjuster about a very open and shut case. We spent ~$8,000 on the move. They won't honor their damage policy.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Hands down absolute worst moving experience ever. They handled our move from Arizona to Maryland. They delivered our stuff 2 weeks late and the only reason I knew about the delay was because I called them. There was zero communication from them before my calling and harping on them! Then 2 out of the 4 large items that arrived were damaged, one of which was my piano and I am a professional pianist. It is obvious that the entire finish of the piano was sprayed with something and someone tried to wipe it off. Unfortunately they did a horrible job in covering up what they did and were unable to get to the parts of the instrument that were locked so it actually dripped into the instrument.

They are taking zero responsibility, tried to blame it on me possibly cleaning it before they picked it up and even threw their own driver under the bus. Now I am having to hire a refinisher to take a look at it and assess the damage inside and out. The entire instrument may need to be refinished because whatever it is, it is irremovable! Even the driver that dropped off the stuff admitted that when he went to pick up my stuff from the warehouse my piano was completely uncovered and that the dresser was already damaged prior to even being driven cross country. I don't know how a company that touted they are so reputable can make such a mess out of one simple move. Shame on you National Van Lines!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

This is the 3rd time I have been moved by a moving company with 3 different moving companies. This was by far the worst company to move me. We were moving from Kansas City to Wisconsin and was told to they be delivering our stuff on 9/4 or 9/5. We made plans to be at our new location on those dates. However, the sales rep then calls and says they have no drivers and need to deliver the furniture earlier on 9/2. We agreed to change things around to make it happen.

The packing went fine. The movers showed up with 6 guys on 9/1 to load the truck. The truck looked very suspect with concerned me. The crew continued to make numerous jokes about putting my flat screens in their van, and if they all didn't look like convicts, I wouldn't have cared. Just not professional from the jump. They started to take apart various items so I asked if I could watch so I could remember how to put everything back together. The movers told me not to worry about it since if they take it apart they have to put it back together themselves.

Then the ridiculousness started. I got a call the night of 9/1 from the driver stating that their truck broke down, surprise and that they wouldn't make it in the morning as scheduled and would let us know when fixed and back on the road. We waited all day with no call so I finally called and he said that they were finally back on the road with an ETA of 6 pm. They arrived, with only 2 of the biggest jokes of movers I had ever seen. The driver was about 50 years old, stated numerous times that this was his last run and he was retiring from moving. He had also had numerous back surgeries. The only guy was his 16 year old son. I asked where the rest of the crew was and he said it was only them, which neither of these guys were involved of the loading of the truck.

He then asked since they hadn't gotten a hotel yet if they could just unload the next day on 9/3 since it was only them and it would probably take them until mid-night to unload Seriously??? Your company was the one that insisted that you deliver on 9/2 so I said no I'm not spending more money to stay in a hotel or sleep on the floor again since I had already gave them close to $6k for their services. My wife and I agreed to help them, which I ended up carrying majority of the furniture. My wife noticed that the old man kept all the heavy stuff for me, because again he had a bad back, which again, he reminded us on every trip back to the truck.

He also complained about the loader of the truck the entire evening and could not believe he packed the truck the way he did. We finally got all the stuff off the truck that needed to go to the house and they asked if they could deliver the storage stuff in the morning. I agreed but asked them to go ahead and put all the stuff that was taken apart back together that night. We started on my son's tree house bed which was by far the most difficult piece we had to put back together. Because neither one of them was there to take apart, they of course had no idea how to put back together. So I put back together and at one point noticed that all they were doing was standing there watching me so I got pissed and told them I didn't need an audience and to go work on other beds or other things that needed to be put back together so I could get them out of my house.

The kitchen table did not get put back together because they could not find the hardware. They called one of the guys that took it apart and he said he put the hardware in "One of the boxes." The old man that it was funny to inform me that when he talked with him that he was probably drunk since it was a Saturday night. I finally found the parts to the table in a box that was unpacked close to last so thankful that I didn't make them try to find them. We or actually I put most everything together. I asked them what time they wanted to get started in the morning to unload the rest of the items on the truck? They agreed to 8 am, but of course they didn't show up until 9:30 am.

Old man let me know that he did not want to get out of bed, he was too old for this kind of work. It took a couple of hours to unload the rest of the stuff when it should have only took about an hour to unload into storage, which again I did most of the lifting and placing in storage. I had to take about 3-4 items back to the house myself in my van because they were missed the previous night. The old man had the nerve to say that my wife told him those boxes were going to storage, which she clearly did not. Plus, the boxes that were used were recycled so they had other names along with different areas of the house, so you really had to look at each box carefully to understand which information was ours, CHEAP!!

Then come to find out 3 of our boxes got completely soaked because you guessed it there was a small hole in the roof. The son kept dropping the legs to a table in the truck and then showing me the damage and saying the damage was because they didn't wrap them, or don't drop them. Our couch was ruined because the finish was rubbed off the legs on the side that was on the floor of the truck where they clearly dragged it. The kid made a huge mark and damage to our drywall. So my wife called and spoke to the owner and he was empathic and said he would call us back in a week. When he called her back, he said that they didn't ask for our help and they aren't going to do anything in return??? Basically, we got your money, because we require COD so go get bent.

He said that they could have gotten help the following day, which they clearly weren't going to do because the old man stated multiple times that 8,000 lbs of furniture needs at least 4 guys to unload and he just them 2. I don't complain about many things when it comes to service, but as you can tell by my book I just wrote, I honestly feel like we were ripped off. As I experienced in my previous 2 moves, I had no issues and when something happened, they made it right. This company is clearly in financial hardships and need every penny. Save yourself a lot of headache and use another company who is more professional, better employees, better trucks, and if something happens, has a financial backing. Your service was maybe worth $3500 to $4000 for the packing, loading, and moving the furniture.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

My stuff basically went missing due to that fact that their "customer service" had trouble finding its location after 3 weeks since they picked it up. They jacked the price way up when they picked it up. One person finally delivered it months later. He was an older fellow so my friend and I had to help him. Horrible. My TV was also broken.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I planned on using National... UNTIL I met the most unprofessional, nasty rep. I live in Sonoma CA. and will be moving to Minnesota. Craig is his name... Lives in Novato, CA. He would never look me in the eye, huffed and puffed, mumbled. I asked if they could arrange storage for me at my destination. He answered, "No, that's up to you." I asked how much my car would cost for shipping. He answered, "I don't know." and never furnished me with a phone number or any kind of help. When I opened my shed, he said "OMG!!!" (because it was so full). He would talk over my talking... very disrespectful. He spoke as a robot no human connection with Craig of National Van Lines. WiIl go elsewhere, thank you!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

We recently moved from Portland, Oregon to Burbank, California via National Van Lines. While things went very smoothly on the Portland end, we have had no end of problems since we started going through our stuff in Burbank. From what we can gather, a significant pile of our stuff must have fallen over during the trip as at least five bins were broken apart (some barely holding together but for tape) and the contents of all have been mixed up with MANY of them dinged, damaged, or completely destroyed. Two beautiful standing lamps, gifted to us as wedding presents many years ago were damaged and one, in fact, is completely ruined with the heavy base somehow completely missing!

An antique suitcase containing valuable items was ripped apart with the lid being delivered separately, one wall of the case completely blown out and the contents gone. Multiple pieces of furniture have sustained bad dings, scratches, and gouges, and we have yet to find our Blu-ray player and are beginning to fear that it has been lost. The online system for submitting a claim is vague, at best, and doesn't allow for detailed lists in regards to some of the bins that contained MANY small items that are now missing or damaged. We are looking at a significant loss here and yet we paid a good amount of money AND we tipped these guys to move us.

What is perhaps the most awful thing about all this is that at no time were we told that anything had happened. The movers brought all our stuff into our home, stacked it up, accepted our check and tip money, and left without informing us of what transpired. We're now left trying to deduce things based upon the extensive damage and the disarray of all our items. We're still opening bins and finding broken glass and pieces of things spread across multiple boxes (obviously I didn't pack my Wii in one box, my controllers in another, and the power supply in a third (and incidentally, the door on the Wii console is now broken, as well).

One last odd thing... My wife has a large, standing jewelry case... For some inexplicable reason, the movers carried it in COMPLETELY UPSIDE DOWN. Spilled the contents that were organized in interior drawers and compartments all over the place!!! WTF, people!!! Be extremely wary of using this company in the future. When we moved from Burbank up to Portland in 2010, not a SINGLE item was broken and we had twice as many pieces and cartons back then!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

We were treated as if we were family members. Lisa ** called numerous times to advise me of status of pickup and delivery. She was very focused on our move and on making all work conveniently and efficiently. Bill **, the driver, was courteous, efficient and very helpful. He arrived when he said he would. He handled everything carefully. And, he did an interstate delivery from New Jersey to Florida with minimum delay. We were delighted with the treatment we received.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2016

I was extremely dissatisfied with my experience with 'National Van Lines and their partners 'Affordable Quality Moving & Storage.' Although my contents made it from California to Texas, there were a number of issues that were unacceptable and so I would never use these two companies ever again, and they are:

1.) Delivery Date: We chose this company over (4) competitors because they assured us that they could hit our preferred delivery date within a couple of days. It turned out that they were 5-days later than their target, costing us extra money to live those extra days without our home contents and basic necessities.

2.) Moving Cost: Their cost turned out to be 15% more than the not-to-exceed estimates from their competitors (e.g., United, Mayflower, Allied, etc.). And this overage was known until a surprising invoice arrived 6-weeks after the move!

3.) Pricing Model: It was not known until after the move but cost per pound calculated by the estimate was $0.53/lb., but the cost that is added if you have a weight 'overage' during the move is a shocking $0.88/lb. -- a huge difference. NEVER accept their non-binding contract, but instead go with one of their competitors that offers a 'not to exceed' agreement.

4.) Weight Estimates and Weight Scales: Although I had (4) other movers in which I received nearly identical weight estimates across the board, this company stated that my move came in 14% over the estimate -- even though I had sold some items after these estimates were performed before the move (so, the actuals should have come in even lighter). And the method in which they try to prove weight actuals are through 'trucking weight scales' which are impossible to validate, and so you just have to take their word that they are legitimate and that only your contents were on the truck when it was weighed.

5.) Customer Service: The management folks that I dealt with (Kelly **, Steve **) to get consideration of a reduction regarding this $1,400 bill were not helpful and their corporate line is to say that they are at the mercy of interstate tariff charges, etc. and cannot offer any reduction. Bottom Line: Use any one of the major movers and stay far away from these companies; Affordable Quality Moving & Storage and their partner movers National Van Lines.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

This was the best move I have ever had. From the start with Lisa ** helping get everything set up (answering my million questions) to the great drivers that picked up and delivered all my stuff. Can't say enough great things about them. So nice and helpful.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

When Steven ** showed up to help move our items to a storage unit in Flagstaff, he was alone in the truck. I asked if he was okay to move by himself. He said, "Yes, I moved it to the truck by myself and I can move it out as well." He was not rude in saying so but CONFIDENT. His confidence was matched by his enthusiasm and great care in handling our items. He was respectful and listened to my requests. He made suggestions on how items could be place when we got to the house. It was very thoughtful of him. I had such fun watching him work and was impressed how he kept me on track for marking items off the inventory sheet. If I could request him in the future, then I certainly would. So should you.

Original review: July 15, 2016

In the last three years I had to move twice and both the times I used National Van Lines. I was so impressed by them the first time that I decided to use them the second time as well. Everyone was super helpful and Lisa ** followed up with daily email on the status update. The driver and packers were also very helpful and courteous. Very satisfied customer!

Original review: July 14, 2016

I am not a customer of National Van Lines, my new neighbors are. While the move in was happening their truck blocked me in. I asked the driver if they would be long as I needed to get out soon. He informed me that they would be a while and let him know when I had to leave and he would move his truck. When I went to leave they weren't around so I knocked on the door of my new neighbors. They answered the door and I told them I was ready to go. The driver just stared at me so I told him I needed to go and I said it an hour ago.

At that point he came charging out, screaming at me in an aggressive, hostile manner. He moved the truck, yelling at me while doing so. I asked him for the company's name and number and he said, "I'll give you a card ". I asked him his name and he screamed, "Steve **, and you can call and tell them whatever you want. They don't care. They are used to dealing with ** like you". So if your goal is to antagonize your new neighbors, National Van Lines is your guys.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2016

When my things were delivered on time but with some small items broken or missing, I filed a claim. Nothing major, but I wanted something for my losses and to settle quickly after my move from the Midwest to the Mid-Atlantic. However, it's what I experienced after filing a claim that really made me upset. It's been five months, and they still haven't settled this. (Perhaps or perhaps not to just not pay me?) Calling the representatives gives the same responses every time: those responsible for finalizing these are on a holiday, vacation, or are backed up with claims. I've had it with them, I'd rather people know their customer service is horrible and will do little to help you than receive a few dollars. Oh and final note, if you see a website that has positive reviews of this company, it's because any claims against them, part of any settlement is all negative reviews online or elsewhere must be removed.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

DO NOT... I repeat, DO NOT go with NATIONAL VAN LINES. It's the worst service I've ever had. This company is a disaster. Over the last 8 years, I have moved 5-6 times and I have never had an experience like this. First of all, they stored all our items for well over three weeks. They failed to contact us or even keep in touch with us to let us know when they were arriving or where our items were. When they delivered items, the movers were extremely lazy and shady. They failed to place glass shelves in kitchen cabinets. They lost half of our boxes and we lost hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Our kitchenware, clothing, shoes, glassware, and other misc. stuff was missing. When we told them what happened, they refused to take any responsibility and failed to compensate us. I swear I could have shot these people. They need to be put out of business. These people don't even deserve one star.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2015

My elderly mother trusted her fine furniture and antiques to this moving company and they subcontracted with Zorn Movers in San Jose Calif. and my mother has over three pages of damages that are major to her fine furniture, gouges, wood knock off, a table top sheared off from the pedestal, a bench's legs torn off, packing was horrible, not wrapping breakables properly, not using bubble wrap, stuffing her fine clothes into the wardrobe box and into drawers, not boxing her mattress, which they drag along the dirty van and it is black one side, it was a Tempurpedic. They were slow in packing and didn't finish packing the day they said they would. They came the next day and we had left to fly back to Texas that day, so a friend let them in to finish packing and they left the house with all the windows open and the air condition running. My mother called Zorn and told them what happened, and he said "well things move in the truck while moving".

Well, if they would have wrapped her armoire, dining room table, etc they would not have chips of wood taken out and deep scratches. If you saw how many things are damaged and how they packed it even blew the movers who helped unpack things, they said they have never seen anything like this and when they opened the moving van to unload it they said that they have never seen such a bad packing job. I feel that they took advantage of my mother, because she is elderly, but she is clear in mind and drives, etc. I am so upset for her as she is. We will never refer this company again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2015

My driver was a nice man, he called well ahead of time to let me know when he would be at my home to load my truck and communicated on the road as to when he would arrive at my destination. However, the movers hired on both ends were less than desirable. Some jewelry was missing from my home on the loading end (from a bag that was to go in my personal vehicle - the fastener & button were later found under a pile of things left in my home when I traveled back to clean up my home to sell it).

They convinced me that I must have packed it and forgotten (except that I packed it about an hour before they arrived). Then, on the unloading end, I am missing three original prints - that were all boxed together. They discouraged me from checking off each individual item as it came off the truck - DON'T EVER DO THIS! When I checked everything off one time before, I was only missing ONE item, which was in the moving company's warehouse and I did, indeed, receive it (this was a different company). I will NEVER use this company again, and caution others. Take pictures of EVERYTHING and watch the movers like a hawk if you choose to use NVL.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

A total nightmare! They say the whole moving is doing by their team, not true. They sub-contract third party companies and even people from the street to do your moving. They say it would be less time than specified in estimate, not true. It took even more time than the max in contract. Their estimate was about $3K less than final money spent. They say they are A+ rated by BBB, not true, not even rated at all. They left back at the warehouse some items at the first delivery and one year later they have not deliver nor they want to pay for items.

I lost almost $6,000 worth of lost items (even there is proof of the pictures of items in their warehouse, they just ignore you). They offer insurance which is not backed by any insurance company but just by them and at the moment of trying to use it they never get back to you. They got so many bad review that have opted to change their name. The claim system in place by a "third party" is done by another moving company (maybe even themselves). Worst customer service. They take advantage of knowing customers are not close to them and ignore them totally. Search online for more reviews!

Original review: July 16, 2015

I can only agree with the multiple complaints. The driver told me he did not like driving in the city when the destination was Washington, D.C. No packing, no boxes for which they charged me. They lost a piece of the bed and two stools. The inventory was mostly illegible and just said chairs or stools. No numbers. I think one of the problems is National Van Lines is just a broker and they outsource all moving. They clearly do not have good quality control. AVOID them.

Original review: July 6, 2015

My experience with this company was horrible. The first offense was when they doubled the quoted price they gave me after all my stuff was already on the moving truck, they claimed the price is often higher because of extra boxes. I had 4 extra boxes and they tried to charge me $2,000 more. The estimate was $2450, they attempted to raise the price to over $4500. I talked them down to $3,300 feeling I had no choice because they already had my stuff.

The next issue was scheduling the delivery date. I needed to get permits for the town to mark off parking for the truck and they needed a delivery date. I scheduled this for June 27th (though my contract said July 1-6). I asked if it would be a problem that it was not in the contract window and they said no. Two days before the move I left two voicemails to see if they were going to come, then I had to call at least 4 times (I think more) the day before the move to find out they were not coming.

The move was bumped to the following Thursday, then Friday, then Sunday - I had to call each time to find out they were not coming. They came on Sunday and demanded cash before removing my things from the truck (clearly a tactic so you cannot withhold payment if your things are lost or damaged). Upon receiving my things 2 chairs were broken and cannot be used, two glass table tops were missing and when I asked the movers they stated perhaps they were packed in a box (they were not), they brought in 2 things that were not mine, including a glass picture that was shattered and glass was all over my floor.

My bike handles are sideways and this may not be able to be repaired (I do not have the tool to even check, so I will need to take this to a bike repair shop). A glass was broken. They trudged dirt on a light carpet on a sunny day because the furniture was clearly stored in mud (the bottom was clean when they took it from a white carpeted room). The boxes looked as if they had been thrown, even those marked fragile. I called to ask for compensation for the damage and have not received a phone call back. I sent an email with pictures of the damage and have not been contacted back.

Original review: June 15, 2015

I could not have asked for a better experience! The owner/President of Guardian Moving and Storage in Pensacola, Florida came to my house and gave me an estimate. His estimate was very accurate (I actually ended up paying $1500 less than he quoted me after my household belongings were loaded on the truck and weighed). There were a few glitches on the morning that the truck from National Van Lines had broken down and was not in town. I called ** at Guardian and he immediately got on the phone and called one of his local trucks to come load up my belongings.

When the other truck was repaired, it met **'s crew at their warehouse and they loaded my stuff onto that truck (no extra charge of course). ** went above and beyond to help get me moved out on the day I was suppose to. He then also made sure my stuff was delivered when it was suppose to be. I would highly recommend ** and his crew at Guardian Moving and Storage, Agents of National Van Lines, to anyone moving. And I myself would absolutely use them again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2014

Took deposit of $315, gave pick up date of Friday between 12 and 2, never showed up. Started calling at 1230, they then said 6-9, big argument .....email from idiot Kim ** saying they would show up. It's 1028 no show, refused to refund deposit. Now between credit card and me in getting refund back.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2014

RUN, DON'T WALK from NATIONAL VAN LINES! Our experience with National Van Lines was a nightmare. The representative who signed us up just seemed so professional and efficient when we met her. We never dreamed we were getting into a terrible mess. Everything they say in their PR materials and on their website is a laughable lie!

We were moving from Ohio to Florida. The big day the movers were supposed to arrive to pack, they never showed up. The next day it took their 3 guys and my husband and myself (in our 60s) working in a sweaty heat to get in the truck all day until 6:00 pm. The truck was nothing like the rep described it -- just one small truck and it's a miracle everything fit. Then the driver told us he didn't intend to begin driving to FL for 4 days. Late the day before they were supposed to arrive, the driver called to say the truck was broken down in Cleveland!

When I told the driver I never gave him permission to take all my worldly possessions to Cleveland (5 hours NORTH of our departure in Cincinnati), he said "I don't need your permission." We called who we could but no one was in charge. Someone named Lisa said she worked for people in Rhode Island, the driver said he worked for people in Illinois. No one knew what caused the break down but we were told that no one could even LOOK at the truck for days. Quote from NVL website: "Our movers are also equipped with the latest in technology to carefully pack and transport our customer's belongings anywhere in the world with ease."

I called the rep who signed us up and she said all she could do was tell me how to file a complaint. We didn't want to file a complaint, we wanted our stuff! She said: "I never heard from you people before an hour ago." I told the rep her PR packet reads: "Your moving counselor is like an architect, possessing a solid understanding of every facet of the moving process." Here we thought she was directing the move! Her entire response to this mess we were in was to send us an email with the email address for customer service. She was just a salesperson who wiped her hands off us the minute we signed the contract. Quote from NVL website: "Your items are unique and personal to you, so our movers take the extra time to ensure all your belongings, furniture, and specialty items are carefully packed, moved, and unloaded in your new destination."

When the truck finally arrived, it was a different truck with a different driver, everything had been transferred. The new driver made an elaborate show of having us watch while he opened the seal on the truck. This was such a joke since this was not the truck that left our house. Boxes marked fragile were smashed, an expensive chair was broken. It was clear whoever did the transfer was not interested in the special handling of fragile items.

The guys who unloaded the truck were local people contacted at the last minute, not employees of NVL. They were decent, but refused to unpack mirror crates that the movers in Ohio packed. They showed us the movers instructions saying they didn't have to unpack them. We finally got them to do it, it took them all of about 3 minutes. 5 weeks later received a bill for $50 for this unpacking!

I never saw such a level of incompetence and arrogance. They obviously didn't bother to sit down and map out how they were going to accomplish this move. Everything was done by the seat of their pants. In the end they subtracted $125 for each day longer than the contract allowed. We run a business with our computers and took a big hit for those extra days. All it cost them was $125 a day to do whatever they pleased with our possessions. This company could not care less about customer satisfaction. They count on folks like us to buy their PR lies and trust them. Of course, they're not worried about our repeat business -- obviously this is the last move of our lives. Don't make the same mistake we did. RUN, DON'T WALK from NATIONAL VAN LINES!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2014

From mismanaged schedules to broken furniture, start to finish the worst company I've dealt with. Customer service was of no help. Moving is stressful enough by itself, then to have such incompetent movers made it even worse. Beware.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2014

I used National Van Lines and their local Tucson, AZ affiliate Tucson Moving and Storage to do our move from Tucson to Round Rock, Texas. I had received four estimates and the sales manager was the best in comparison to the other three. His professionalism and his willingness were what sold me on using them for the move. Once I signed the paperwork with them it went downhill from there. It was like I was sold a used car. The sales manager was upset that I needed to move our loading day by one day even though there was still two and half weeks before the move. Once we were in Round Rock they had to extend our delivery date three times because they didn't have a driver to get our stuff to Texas.

The local office and the national office didn't communicate nor coordinate their efforts to get us a driver and were willing to give us only $125 dollars a day even if my wife and I had to purchase new work clothes, pay for various expenses including food, gas, lodging, and we had to sleep on our air bed for almost a whole week. Each time we called we couldn't get a straight answer as to what was happening and why our stuff hadn't left Tucson. The experience is one that I hope no one else has to go through.

National Van Lines Company Information