National Van Lines

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This was the best move I have ever had. From the start with Lisa ** helping get everything set up (answering my million questions) to the great drivers that picked up and delivered all my stuff. Can't say enough great things about them. So nice and helpful.

When Steven ** showed up to help move our items to a storage unit in Flagstaff, he was alone in the truck. I asked if he was okay to move by himself. He said, "Yes, I moved it to the truck by myself and I can move it out as well." He was not rude in saying so but CONFIDENT. His confidence was matched by his enthusiasm and great care in handling our items. He was respectful and listened to my requests. He made suggestions on how items could be place when we got to the house. It was very thoughtful of him. I had such fun watching him work and was impressed how he kept me on track for marking items off the inventory sheet. If I could request him in the future, then I certainly would. So should you.

In the last three years I had to move twice and both the times I used National Van Lines. I was so impressed by them the first time that I decided to use them the second time as well. Everyone was super helpful and Lisa ** followed up with daily email on the status update. The driver and packers were also very helpful and courteous. Very satisfied customer!

I am not a customer of National Van Lines, my new neighbors are. While the move in was happening their truck blocked me in. I asked the driver if they would be long as I needed to get out soon. He informed me that they would be a while and let him know when I had to leave and he would move his truck. When I went to leave they weren't around so I knocked on the door of my new neighbors. They answered the door and I told them I was ready to go. The driver just stared at me so I told him I needed to go and I said it an hour ago.

At that point he came charging out, screaming at me in an aggressive, hostile manner. He moved the truck, yelling at me while doing so. I asked him for the company's name and number and he said, "I'll give you a card ". I asked him his name and he screamed, "Steve **, and you can call and tell them whatever you want. They don't care. They are used to dealing with ** like you". So if your goal is to antagonize your new neighbors, National Van Lines is your guys.

When my things were delivered on time but with some small items broken or missing, I filed a claim. Nothing major, but I wanted something for my losses and to settle quickly after my move from the Midwest to the Mid-Atlantic. However, it's what I experienced after filing a claim that really made me upset. It's been five months, and they still haven't settled this. (Perhaps or perhaps not to just not pay me?) Calling the representatives gives the same responses every time: those responsible for finalizing these are on a holiday, vacation, or are backed up with claims. I've had it with them, I'd rather people know their customer service is horrible and will do little to help you than receive a few dollars. Oh and final note, if you see a website that has positive reviews of this company, it's because any claims against them, part of any settlement is all negative reviews online or elsewhere must be removed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Van Lines?

DO NOT... I repeat, DO NOT go with NATIONAL VAN LINES. It's the worst service I've ever had. This company is a disaster. Over the last 8 years, I have moved 5-6 times and I have never had an experience like this. First of all, they stored all our items for well over three weeks. They failed to contact us or even keep in touch with us to let us know when they were arriving or where our items were. When they delivered items, the movers were extremely lazy and shady. They failed to place glass shelves in kitchen cabinets. They lost half of our boxes and we lost hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Our kitchenware, clothing, shoes, glassware, and other misc. stuff was missing. When we told them what happened, they refused to take any responsibility and failed to compensate us. I swear I could have shot these people. They need to be put out of business. These people don't even deserve one star.

My elderly mother trusted her fine furniture and antiques to this moving company and they subcontracted with Zorn Movers in San Jose Calif. and my mother has over three pages of damages that are major to her fine furniture, gouges, wood knock off, a table top sheared off from the pedestal, a bench's legs torn off, packing was horrible, not wrapping breakables properly, not using bubble wrap, stuffing her fine clothes into the wardrobe box and into drawers, not boxing her mattress, which they drag along the dirty van and it is black one side, it was a Tempurpedic. They were slow in packing and didn't finish packing the day they said they would. They came the next day and we had left to fly back to Texas that day, so a friend let them in to finish packing and they left the house with all the windows open and the air condition running. My mother called Zorn and told them what happened, and he said "well things move in the truck while moving".

Well, if they would have wrapped her armoire, dining room table, etc they would not have chips of wood taken out and deep scratches. If you saw how many things are damaged and how they packed it even blew the movers who helped unpack things, they said they have never seen anything like this and when they opened the moving van to unload it they said that they have never seen such a bad packing job. I feel that they took advantage of my mother, because she is elderly, but she is clear in mind and drives, etc. I am so upset for her as she is. We will never refer this company again.

My driver was a nice man, he called well ahead of time to let me know when he would be at my home to load my truck and communicated on the road as to when he would arrive at my destination. However, the movers hired on both ends were less than desirable. Some jewelry was missing from my home on the loading end (from a bag that was to go in my personal vehicle - the fastener & button were later found under a pile of things left in my home when I traveled back to clean up my home to sell it).

They convinced me that I must have packed it and forgotten (except that I packed it about an hour before they arrived). Then, on the unloading end, I am missing three original prints - that were all boxed together. They discouraged me from checking off each individual item as it came off the truck - DON'T EVER DO THIS! When I checked everything off one time before, I was only missing ONE item, which was in the moving company's warehouse and I did, indeed, receive it (this was a different company). I will NEVER use this company again, and caution others. Take pictures of EVERYTHING and watch the movers like a hawk if you choose to use NVL.

A total nightmare! They say the whole moving is doing by their team, not true. They sub-contract third party companies and even people from the street to do your moving. They say it would be less time than specified in estimate, not true. It took even more time than the max in contract. Their estimate was about $3K less than final money spent. They say they are A+ rated by BBB, not true, not even rated at all. They left back at the warehouse some items at the first delivery and one year later they have not deliver nor they want to pay for items.

I lost almost $6,000 worth of lost items (even there is proof of the pictures of items in their warehouse, they just ignore you). They offer insurance which is not backed by any insurance company but just by them and at the moment of trying to use it they never get back to you. They got so many bad review that have opted to change their name. The claim system in place by a "third party" is done by another moving company (maybe even themselves). Worst customer service. They take advantage of knowing customers are not close to them and ignore them totally. Search online for more reviews!

I can only agree with the multiple complaints. The driver told me he did not like driving in the city when the destination was Washington, D.C. No packing, no boxes for which they charged me. They lost a piece of the bed and two stools. The inventory was mostly illegible and just said chairs or stools. No numbers. I think one of the problems is National Van Lines is just a broker and they outsource all moving. They clearly do not have good quality control. AVOID them.

My experience with this company was horrible. The first offense was when they doubled the quoted price they gave me after all my stuff was already on the moving truck, they claimed the price is often higher because of extra boxes. I had 4 extra boxes and they tried to charge me $2,000 more. The estimate was $2450, they attempted to raise the price to over $4500. I talked them down to $3,300 feeling I had no choice because they already had my stuff.

The next issue was scheduling the delivery date. I needed to get permits for the town to mark off parking for the truck and they needed a delivery date. I scheduled this for June 27th (though my contract said July 1-6). I asked if it would be a problem that it was not in the contract window and they said no. Two days before the move I left two voicemails to see if they were going to come, then I had to call at least 4 times (I think more) the day before the move to find out they were not coming.

The move was bumped to the following Thursday, then Friday, then Sunday - I had to call each time to find out they were not coming. They came on Sunday and demanded cash before removing my things from the truck (clearly a tactic so you cannot withhold payment if your things are lost or damaged). Upon receiving my things 2 chairs were broken and cannot be used, two glass table tops were missing and when I asked the movers they stated perhaps they were packed in a box (they were not), they brought in 2 things that were not mine, including a glass picture that was shattered and glass was all over my floor.

My bike handles are sideways and this may not be able to be repaired (I do not have the tool to even check, so I will need to take this to a bike repair shop). A glass was broken. They trudged dirt on a light carpet on a sunny day because the furniture was clearly stored in mud (the bottom was clean when they took it from a white carpeted room). The boxes looked as if they had been thrown, even those marked fragile. I called to ask for compensation for the damage and have not received a phone call back. I sent an email with pictures of the damage and have not been contacted back.

I could not have asked for a better experience! The owner/President of Guardian Moving and Storage in Pensacola, Florida came to my house and gave me an estimate. His estimate was very accurate (I actually ended up paying $1500 less than he quoted me after my household belongings were loaded on the truck and weighed). There were a few glitches on the morning that the truck from National Van Lines had broken down and was not in town. I called ** at Guardian and he immediately got on the phone and called one of his local trucks to come load up my belongings.

When the other truck was repaired, it met **'s crew at their warehouse and they loaded my stuff onto that truck (no extra charge of course). ** went above and beyond to help get me moved out on the day I was suppose to. He then also made sure my stuff was delivered when it was suppose to be. I would highly recommend ** and his crew at Guardian Moving and Storage, Agents of National Van Lines, to anyone moving. And I myself would absolutely use them again.

Took deposit of $315, gave pick up date of Friday between 12 and 2, never showed up. Started calling at 1230, they then said 6-9, big argument .....email from idiot Kim ** saying they would show up. It's 1028 no show, refused to refund deposit. Now between credit card and me in getting refund back.

RUN, DON'T WALK from NATIONAL VAN LINES! Our experience with National Van Lines was a nightmare. The representative who signed us up just seemed so professional and efficient when we met her. We never dreamed we were getting into a terrible mess. Everything they say in their PR materials and on their website is a laughable lie!

We were moving from Ohio to Florida. The big day the movers were supposed to arrive to pack, they never showed up. The next day it took their 3 guys and my husband and myself (in our 60s) working in a sweaty heat to get in the truck all day until 6:00 pm. The truck was nothing like the rep described it -- just one small truck and it's a miracle everything fit. Then the driver told us he didn't intend to begin driving to FL for 4 days. Late the day before they were supposed to arrive, the driver called to say the truck was broken down in Cleveland!

When I told the driver I never gave him permission to take all my worldly possessions to Cleveland (5 hours NORTH of our departure in Cincinnati), he said "I don't need your permission." We called who we could but no one was in charge. Someone named Lisa said she worked for people in Rhode Island, the driver said he worked for people in Illinois. No one knew what caused the break down but we were told that no one could even LOOK at the truck for days. Quote from NVL website: "Our movers are also equipped with the latest in technology to carefully pack and transport our customer's belongings anywhere in the world with ease."

I called the rep who signed us up and she said all she could do was tell me how to file a complaint. We didn't want to file a complaint, we wanted our stuff! She said: "I never heard from you people before an hour ago." I told the rep her PR packet reads: "Your moving counselor is like an architect, possessing a solid understanding of every facet of the moving process." Here we thought she was directing the move! Her entire response to this mess we were in was to send us an email with the email address for customer service. She was just a salesperson who wiped her hands off us the minute we signed the contract. Quote from NVL website: "Your items are unique and personal to you, so our movers take the extra time to ensure all your belongings, furniture, and specialty items are carefully packed, moved, and unloaded in your new destination."

When the truck finally arrived, it was a different truck with a different driver, everything had been transferred. The new driver made an elaborate show of having us watch while he opened the seal on the truck. This was such a joke since this was not the truck that left our house. Boxes marked fragile were smashed, an expensive chair was broken. It was clear whoever did the transfer was not interested in the special handling of fragile items.

The guys who unloaded the truck were local people contacted at the last minute, not employees of NVL. They were decent, but refused to unpack mirror crates that the movers in Ohio packed. They showed us the movers instructions saying they didn't have to unpack them. We finally got them to do it, it took them all of about 3 minutes. 5 weeks later received a bill for $50 for this unpacking!

I never saw such a level of incompetence and arrogance. They obviously didn't bother to sit down and map out how they were going to accomplish this move. Everything was done by the seat of their pants. In the end they subtracted $125 for each day longer than the contract allowed. We run a business with our computers and took a big hit for those extra days. All it cost them was $125 a day to do whatever they pleased with our possessions. This company could not care less about customer satisfaction. They count on folks like us to buy their PR lies and trust them. Of course, they're not worried about our repeat business -- obviously this is the last move of our lives. Don't make the same mistake we did. RUN, DON'T WALK from NATIONAL VAN LINES!

From mismanaged schedules to broken furniture, start to finish the worst company I've dealt with. Customer service was of no help. Moving is stressful enough by itself, then to have such incompetent movers made it even worse. Beware.

I used National Van Lines and their local Tucson, AZ affiliate Tucson Moving and Storage to do our move from Tucson to Round Rock, Texas. I had received four estimates and the sales manager was the best in comparison to the other three. His professionalism and his willingness were what sold me on using them for the move. Once I signed the paperwork with them it went downhill from there. It was like I was sold a used car. The sales manager was upset that I needed to move our loading day by one day even though there was still two and half weeks before the move. Once we were in Round Rock they had to extend our delivery date three times because they didn't have a driver to get our stuff to Texas.

The local office and the national office didn't communicate nor coordinate their efforts to get us a driver and were willing to give us only $125 dollars a day even if my wife and I had to purchase new work clothes, pay for various expenses including food, gas, lodging, and we had to sleep on our air bed for almost a whole week. Each time we called we couldn't get a straight answer as to what was happening and why our stuff hadn't left Tucson. The experience is one that I hope no one else has to go through.

The worst moving company I have ever dealt with. The owner, Mr. Simpson, came out and did the initial walk-through to move from Michigan to Georgia. We were given a quote for packing and moving a custom built 4000 sq ft 5 bedroom 4 bath home with all custom furnishings and high-end electronics. The experience has been an absolute nightmare. Mr. Simpson grossly under estimated the packing time and as a result the packers arrived and realized not only did they not have enough people to pack they didn't have enough time. They eventually called in more people who ultimately just haphazardly throw items in boxes without being wrapped. There were loose knives in some of the boxes, some of which were not even marked. There was an open box of comet thrown in with electronics. To make matters worse the rig carrying my custom furnishings ran into a ditch and had to be towed out. They subcontracted some inexperienced guys from a neighboring town 21/2 hours away. I have been in tears for 3 days now as everything I unpack seems to be destroyed. After wasting thousands on this move I would have been better off getting unprofessionals to do the job.

The agent who came out to give estimate told us there would be a shuttle charge of $1000.00 at origin, but not at destination if required. We showed him what NVL would be taking & his estimate on weight seemed high, but we agreed. Had used Allied & Mayflower before for cross country moves with no problems but in Kalispell, MT, your choices are limited. Driver arrived, (contracted, first time to drive for NVL) was the most argumentative, rude, combative person I have met. He took EVERYTHING apart, things the agent said would not be taken apart. Upon arrival at destination, said he would have to shuttle it in & would be ANOTHER $1000.00. He & day labor helpers in MT had grabbed boxes of food & things they were not supposed to take & were marked "WE TAKE".

Brand new desk arrived with 2 broken legs, 2 deep gouges on front & a 4 inch piece of granite broken off the top. His reply was "Sorry for the damage, but it is what it is." Things he disassembled were not reassembled, leaving us to do it. So many things dented, scratched, broken, I would have/should have, sold all my furniture before moving rather than pay a person with ZERO people skills who knows it all, won't take suggestions or recommendations to ruin it & I paid $8K for the privilege of rude people to ruin all my stuff. Got 2 grease spots on new carpet & said "those were there." NO, they weren't. Either he is not a good driver or not confident in his ability to get his truck in. Either way, his packing of his truck damaged everything I own. Boxes marked "Fragile" were crushed. This was a nightmare, a costly one, from beginning to end.

Contracted with National Van Lines to move from Ohio to Florida. A week after loading, I call them up and the truck has not left Ohio, broke down, have no ETA after a week. Surely a National Company can do better than this. I would never use National Van Lines again. Very difficult to contact and will not talk to you after you have contracted with them to move. Terrible customer service.

We contacted NVL and they sent an agent to do an appraisal and estimate. He seemed competent. We signed the contract but after that, we couldn't get him to respond. He would not return calls, he did not deliver the wardrobes as he promised, and as it turned out, our move was never registered and scheduled. We had to call the company to get any results at all. Then our possessions sat in Florida for several weeks being moved from van to van. As a result of Congress shutting down, military moves were priority. This would have been okay if someone HAD LET US KNOW.

When the truck finally arrived, several of our possessions were damaged beyond repair. We had legs broken off furniture, an irreplaceable lamp shade crushed which can never be valued at its proper cost, other lamp shades broken, and many boxes crushed. Now I have read that claims are not paid promptly, if at all, by your company, and we still have to take the time and effort to file one. I am sorry to read that this company is led by a woman. What a sorry way to do business.

My move was from AZ to FL. I probably should have read more reviews before booking... Unfortunately I did not and here is the review I left them on my customer survey they sent me. I am sure it will get put in the trash with the rest of their complaints......

Several things happened on this move which will ensure I do not recommend you to anyone.

1) I was given a delivery date by the sales person and sent an electronic copy of the agreement. When the driver arrived it was changed to 2 weeks later. I needed my stuff moved that day so I had no choice but to sign. When attempting to contact my sales rep I received no response.

2) I was also told by the sales rep that my shipment would only be loaded once and not taken to a warehouse to be loaded again onto another truck. The driver told me after they packed the items that they would be taking it to a bigger truck to reload it as the driver did not work that day.... Great...

3) The driver did not bring all of the necessary items to load my shipment and thus had to take my 50 inch plasma TV and pictures to the warehouse to pack and load them without my viewing. I was told to just sign the sheet because that is how it had to be done. I could always go to the warehouse and watch them if I wanted. Too bad I didn't plan for an extra trip to the warehouse and had to work that evening; otherwise I would have loved to spend 8-10 hours with them.

4) Documentation of the condition of my items was very unprofessional. I asked where he marked the condition and he said oh don't worry everything will get there the way they picked it up and everything was in good shape. Upon later re-examining through the entire itemization, I started to decipher the letter codes he had put for items and turns out he put scratches for everything to cover himself, even though he told me the condition was good on everything. Overall the sales and loading was all about deceit in order to get my business, and once you have my items what am I going to do?

5) The delivery went a little better until I started documenting items that I found chipped/damaged. The driver tried to convince me that certain things were already there, but now knowing how your company operates, I ignored him.

Next up, filing my claims which I am sure will go swimmingly. For a $5000 moving expense I will next time sell all of my stuff, buy new things, and avoid the terrible customer service moving companies like this provide.

Here we sit 2 months after our move and have had 1 postcard from the company stating they were working hard to resolve the matter and 1 phone call/ visit from a man to look at the damages. No one else has contacted us since. We have yet to receive a single one of our missing items. As time goes on, we realize more of our belongings are missing. We just realized all of our family videos are missing and that is the most devastating loss for us. Our now passed WWII Veteran, grandfather telling war stories and detailing DDay +1, EVERY single one of my daughter's videos from birth until now are gone! We are absolutely crushed.

It was awful to have lost and damaged furniture, clothing, art, etc. Losing all of our family videos leaves us devastated. By the way, I was able to get the wedding dress back to its rightful owner. I'd like to mention that I told the CEO in my letter that I was giving her my permission to pass along my contact info to whoever asked for it. She said they couldn't do that.... Hmmm? If I gave my written consent, then what is the problem? Maybe National Van Lines doesn't want its customers talking to each other for fear of what may be revealed...

My husband did receive one call from the company and when my husband told him we wanted to return the wedding dress ourselves (because we didn't trust them to do it) he threatened my husband with legal action and stated we would be held responsible for interstate theft! So, National Van Lines behaves like thieves and dares to threaten us - it is truly unbelievable. The laws that exist, do not protect the consumer whatsoever. We have no recourse other than to tell anyone and everyone what a despicable company National Van Lines is. Do you suppose the IRS would like to know that the company is hiring people off the streets to move people's belongings and they are paying these people cash? Isn't "paying under the table" against the law?

On June 13th, our items left our home in California. They did not arrive to our home in Texas until July 8th NOT by National Van Lines, but by some Allen Moving Company that were 3 men that continuously asked WHY my items were wrapped so well and WHY they had to unpack this or set up that. When I told them because they were National Van Lines and that is what I was told they would do, they said, "We aren't National Van Lines, we are just unpacking this job for them." They had Allen Moving Company shirts on as well. When they arrived, our china hutch was severely damaged and a handmade work bench and large screen television was missing.

On July 9th, Claims said they would run a trace and that we would have up to 9 months to file a claim and that they would call me the next day to keep me updated. On July 11th, I called and talked with Brenda in Customer Service who transferred me to Claims and was informed no trace had been run yet and was told I would get a call back. On July 15th I called National Van Lines and I was told my claims manager was on another line and would call me back. On the same day, I talked with our moving representative who told us she had been calling and trying to find our items as well and that SHE found the ladder and that the driver named "Dave" did put two televisions and the workbench on the truck to Texas. Claims did NOT call me back. For the record, National Van Lines Customer Service and Claims NEVER called me back but told me they had my number, read it back to me when I asked if they had it a total of 8 times.

On July 18th, I called National Van Lines and was transferred to Claims and told that not only had the trace ended, without me being called or notified of this happening, but that I needed to file a claim, that I had not insured my property (which was NEVER discussed EVER to add extra insurance or I would have GLADLY done that as my husband's company was paying for all of our moving expenses) and that I would get 60 cents per pound. So basically I was told my 1100 dollar BRAND new television was now worth about 30 dollars and my handmade work table my FATHER made was only worth 60 cents per pound as well as my badly damaged china hutch.

I was not informed about what information the Claims department had about the move, who the people were that unloaded my items, because the driver "Dave" clearly remembers loading the items onto the van to Texas but the Allen Moving Company said they were not in the warehouse... What HAPPENED to them in between?!!! Claims said that is not their problem to find that out, that all parties had been talked to and no one knew where the items were, so it was MY responsibility to now file a claim and receive my pittance for my lost items. Claims said they were closing the case and there was absolutely NOTHING more they were going to do concerning MY personal property because talking to everyone was as good as it was going to get for me to get my items back (Sarcastically I say that NO ONE could have possibly being LYING to Claims). So at this point, National Van Lines has claimed responsibility for losing my personal belongings, but claim that it is MY responsibility to now pay for them, replace them, or cry over them, because there is nothing more they WILL do to help me retrieve them.

Moving Disaster from Rhode Island to So CaL (JUNE/JULY 2013): My husband interviewed a number of moving companies before choosing National Van Lines. They are a third generation, family-owned business. My husband thought that would be a better route to go since we had used a national moving company the last time we moved across country and that ended badly for us. The representative from the company came to our home twice. We even relayed our horror moving story from 15 years ago and he assured us we would be in good hands with National Van Lines.

The day they showed up to pack our home, the moving van was half full when the driver realized they had misjudged how big of a truck they needed. So they split up our shipment into 2 trucks. They also changed their dollar estimate for our delivery to almost $5,000 more! The one truck arrived late than we were promised and as they were unloading our furniture, there were many crushed boxes clearly labeled with the word "FRAGILE" on them. Our refurbished, antique grand piano top was ruined with oil marks and water stains. Pieces of artwork and furniture artwork were damaged with huge scratches and gashes in them. Our china cabinet's entire back was broken off and the base of it was broken. There were many items missing from the paperwork, but the driver assured us they were in the next truck.

My husband even caught the driver gluing a piece of wood back on our very expensive mahogany desk! The driver was completely indifferent to the damage done to our belongings and our missing items. Fast forward a week and the second delivery is being made after being told they didn't know when they could get our second delivery to us because, "You know, June and July are real busy moving months so we really can't give you a date." The second shipment finally does arrive, at 3PM rather than the 8AM as we were told. The driver told us he was late because his truck did not pass inspection! He showed up with NO ONE to help move in our belongings. So he went up the street to two random guys and offered them cash to move our stuff!

My husband, myself and my daughter moved in a large portion of our shipment on our own - more crushed boxes, missing mattresses, all of my husband's very expensive ties are gone as well as other business attire, missing wardrobe boxes, kitchen boxes, broken lamps, artwork ruined, pictures for our walls missing, and the driver kept giving us items that were NOT ours!!! We told him every time we were given something that wasn't ours. The guys bringing in everything completely soiled the carpeting throughout the second floor.

When everything was unloaded, the driver had NO paperwork! Before the driver even opened the door to make the first delivery, he wanted the cashier's check and credit card information. That was before we saw all of our damaged belongings. We did not make payment for the second delivery because we are missing so many things. My husband attempted contacting the company while they were unloading the first delivery and every day after (to no avail and no response received). He tried getting in contact with someone after the second delivery and no returned calls. My husband was finally told the company would check with other families to see if they received any of our things and that was it.

This week we received a little white postcard telling us the company was sorry to hear we had a problem with our shipment and they are working hard to resolve the matter. We sent a letter (Via FedEx) to the president of the company and no response. Today, as I attempted to unpack some more boxes and figure out what exactly we are missing, I noticed an unfamiliar white box - it is some woman's packaged and preserved wedding dress! I am feeling bad for myself and my family, but I can imagine there is a woman somewhere very upset thinking she has lost her wedding dress forever! I want to get that woman her wedding dress! Where do we go from here?

We hired National Van Lines Inc. to do our move from Fullerton, CA to Austin, TX. Our belongings were picked up in CA at our home on 6/21/13. As per our contract, our delivery window was scheduled for 6/26 - 6/27/13. We have been told all along that despite having a snag at pickup with a driver assignment, our delivery window would be honored. Our family drove to Texas, 4 little girls & 3 cats to our new empty home to await our delivery. We were informed today (our projected beginning delivery window) that the truck with our home furnishings and everything we own still sits in a warehouse in Anaheim, CA with no driver assigned to it, and no definitive projected date for delivery. So here we sit, 4 girls, 2 adults and 3 cats in an empty home halfway across the county with no expectation of when we will be able to sleep in a bed instead of on the floor. The best they could do for us today is to tell us that they can "possibly" have our things to us by July 8!! This company is unethical. How can you commit to a family that you will have their things to them and send them across the country to sit with nothing and no answers? Shame!

Our family relocated from Texas to Georgia. There were several large items that were noticeably damaged as they were removed from the semi and brought into the house; our antique mahogany linen press had all four legs broken off, as well as the bottom base, and the door was ripped off (oh, and a couple of deep gashes). Our French headboard had the finials and carvings broken in half. Our dining room table had carvings broken off as well. All were antiques, but in excellent condition. Now, here we are nine months later, still waiting for resolution to the claim on those large ticket items. Their offer to repair these items was pennies on the dollar compared to the repair estimates. The company literally denied covering the repair costs as they are trying to say that these damages existed at the point of origin. Absolutely not! I took pictures of everything prior to the pickup, and I even sent the photos to them.

Now, they've had the photos and additional documentation for two additional months and we've heard nothing from anyone. Our attempts to get a status have been unproductive. National Van Lines did everything BUT call us liars. It’s rolling around on a year and we still have broken furniture in our house. While I could have it repaired myself and continued to wait this out, I am not sure some of the damages could be repaired well enough to put the items back in the original state. It's funny, the CREW recognized that these damages happened during the move, but not the claims department. I had the driver document all of the details, but... apparently they don't recognize this documentation from their employees, either. I would not recommend anyone using this company. I really do not know what to do next...

National Van Lines missed three delivery dates during my relo. They didn't call to tell me they weren't coming. I had to call them repeatedly to find out what was going on. They finally delivered to my temporary apartment six weeks late. When I found a house and requested final delivery of my goods, I discovered that they had damaged almost every piece of furniture, some so badly it couldn't be used. Bookcases were structurally unsound, wood was gouged, finishes marred, office furniture crushed, and picture glass shattered. I haven't opened the boxes yet, but seeing how dented and warped they are, I'm almost afraid to. Given both my experience with National and that of others, I despair that they'll ever make recompense.

Worst moving experience ever! I have moved a lot and about 1.5 years ago, used National Van Lines. It was the worst and most stressful experience ever with 2 stolen boxes full of sentimental and expensive crystal and items. Also, numerous valuable things were broken. The mover that brought my things into the new place was very rude and horrible. I made a claim and 1.5 years later, I have heard nothing! Not even a response one way or the other. Worst company ever. Do not use them!

Pack out was in Sumter, SC on Oct. 1, 2012. The packers showed up on time; however, one of them was obviously drunk. We could not get through to the local agent Brad and left several messages for him to contact us, which has not happened to this day. The other loaders tried to cover for him; however, as the day went on, he became very rude and careless. Several boxes were dropped and mishandled by the drunk guy even after he was asked not to touch anything. He tried to put packing tape directly on the wood finish of the furniture and became very obnoxious when he was told not to. I spoke to the on-site foreman there at the pack out location to ensure he would not arrive to the drop off location. However, he arrived right along with the crew. We ended up with missing and broken items and a bad experience that we got to pay over $5K for. We will never use this company again and highly recommend no one else does either.

When my husband and I started dealing with National Van Lines, everything was great. We chose National Van Lines expecting the best service. Beyond the beginning, everything was atrocious. The loaders were extremely late on our move-out day. We were told shortly after lunch and they didn't arrive until after 4:30. We had asked that they come as early as possible as we had to go on the road that night so we could make it to North Carolina for our jobs. We wanted to drive 6 hours that night and we were only able to drive 2. We were very disappointed. Our goods took longer than we expected to arrive. We were told Saturday, August 11, and we didn't get anything until Wednesday, August 15.

The driver and mover were very rude to my husband at their arrival. They blatantly mistreated our furniture and we found boxes crushed and the goods inside also crushed and often broken. It was gut wrenching to open up boxes and discover so much of our stuff broken and mistreated. While the movers brought our furniture in the house, they dragged our wood furniture on the concrete, therefore scratching it all up and breaking some parts. Our furniture was taken apart without our knowledge and not put back together. We are missing screws on our coffee table and we can't find a replacement screw. The table is worthless.

One of the movers fell into our bookcase and broke it into bits. He gave my husband $30 cash for the bookcase and the bookcase is actually worth $60. I have an ottoman that looked like it had ropes tied to it and heavy goods placed on top. The soft top is crushed and not repairable. We have a microfiber chase lounge that was dragged on the ground and has scuff marks on it that I cannot remove. They placed our couch long side up on the ground and got it dirty. Our Dyson vacuum cleaner was unloaded off the truck and dragged across the ground. My husband was alone the day the movers arrived and they were both coming and going so fast that he was losing track and getting confused.

He would look one way and see our furniture being dragged and turn around again to see our boxes being thrown on the ground and fragile boxes being stacked up heavy and high. There are so many other things that were mistreated, broken and destroyed. There is nothing more disrespectful as having things that we worked so hard for treated so terribly. Having our hard earned goods being trashed like garbage just crushed my husband and I. I regret to no end using National Van Lines. I wish I would have paid more and gone with United Van Lines, who I used twice before for cross country moves. My goods were treated with the utmost respect and care.

National Van Lines took our hard earned money and goods and trashed them. I have told anyone who will listen to never use National Van Lines! We have filed a claim and we know we will not be fairly compensated for the damage done. It is such a shame. Really, shame on National Van Lines for turning an already stressful situation to near unbearable. Well, you got your money from us and we are just another faceless and worthless customer. Just an absolute shame.

National Van Lines Company Profile