1.26/5

Compare Movers

North American Van Lines Reviews

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

North Amer Beltman in GA..DO NOT USE. Moved from Dahlonega Ga to NC. Broke large marble top table, propted 1/2 of table up on lawn mower, saw it when they opened truck and antique silk screen Japanese wall hanging NEVER arrived (saw it loaded)! Movers were NOT employed by the company, they were contractors. Have moved all over the WORLD (military) without this prob!! Reps are RUDE and don't give a damn, deny everything! They talk a good talk, but it NOT true..BEWARE..VERY AWARE.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Used Dimon & Bacorn from North American Van lines to move from New York to Michigan. I had a tremendous amount of issues with the local movers so I called North American customer service. Tina from customer service was incredibly rude and unprofessional and refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor. I hope someone does review the taped discussions and do something about that women. I was also very disappointed that North American refused to do anything about the poor experience I had with someone working under their name, they obviously just don't care. Find another company to move with, but be careful Allied movers is under the same umbrella, so I would expect the same poor service and lack of professionalism.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! Terrible, terrible service! PRICELOCK package is a scam at best!!! We hired Lile to move our family from Vancouver, WA to Georgia. We paid a very high price tag ($27,000) and the service was the worst you can imagine! We started by not having a truck available on the days that we had spoken off when we got our quote from Renee. The packing time went from 2 days that Renee calculated to FIVE!! because they used a different crew each day of inexperience people that didn't know what they were doing, and didn't care to stick to a time schedule... and with a weekend in between.

Loading took 3 DAYS instead of 1 like they said having to sleep on the couch the second night and at a friends house the last night because they had packed my bed and couch before they realized they had run out of space in the truck and we had to wait for yet another day for a different truck and making me almost miss my flight to Georgia. My stuff arrived to destination 5 days later which would've been great if they would've bother to coordinate with the crew in Atlanta, but they didn't have a crew available so we had to spend a whole week in hotels (not just me this time but with my husband and three children that had driven here) while my stuff sat in a warehouse.

When they unloaded things started to come out damaged, broken, with no stickers so it was impossible to know at the end of a very long day if items the items in the inventory missing were really missing or not tagged and especially when we realized that they had removed items out of the truck when they realized that not everything was going to fit in the one truck but never changed their inventory!!

But the WORST was when they told us they didn't have the weight ticket that shows how much the truck weighed once loaded with our stuff. We contracted the package called PRICELOCK which meant that they charge you for certain amount of pounds that they estimate as they walk around your home telling you not to worry if they go over on their estimate because if it ends up weighing less they will refund you the difference BUT if it goes over you don't have to pay any more money. Well...after a couple of weeks of waiting to see the weight ticket to settle the refund, they informed us that THEY NEVER WEIGHED THE TRUCK. I mean they drove across the USA but not once weighed the truck?? So they have to reconstruct the weight (based on a screwed up inventory remember?) and they would let us know.

After several weeks I got an email stating that North American corporate office had come up with a magic number right around my estimated weight and when I asked to see how they had come up with that number they very rudely declined and told me they didn't have to. All I could do was to take their word that that is how much my load weighed. No questions asked!!! I tried to call anyone that I could think of, leaving messages and getting NO ANSWERS from Lile or North American. After paying more than $27,000 I feel almost scammed, as I paid a lot of money for terrible service, unprofessional and uncaring service and for a fee that they have failed to prove was due to them. Learn from my mistake! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Had a terrible experience at every turn with North American Van Lines. Don’t let them lead you to believe you should pay more because they are a “nationwide company” and that they “only use certified crews”. We paid more than some of the other companies' quotes to get “certified” and trust me, it was not the case. Neighbors Moving company from Seattle, WA handled the “estimate” which was several thousand pounds off. If you read carefully, if they are over on the estimate and it weighs less, you get a whole dollar per 100 lbs they are off! So if they overestimate (and you pay in advance based on the estimate) by 1000 lbs, you get a whole $10. Read the fine print at the bottom of the “not to exceed” estimate.

On packing day which we had said we didn’t need a lot of help with, they waste a whole day by sending a crew of 3 out to pack a few pictures, lamps and a mirror, which they grossly underfill some of which end up breaking during the transport. Then on moving day your “certified” crew arrives different from the packers and which apparently involves calling an extra person the morning of, who none of the others had met. This “certified individual” then shows up and proceeds to play and joke around, extending the move for several more hours than it should have taken.

The driver (who doesn’t work for Neighbors Moving or AVL) feels the estimate is way under at 7k lbs, thinks it's more like 10-12k, and files a protest. They then wait and do no loading work until 45 minutes are up to give the company time to get there to argue, they never show, so they load and tell me “someone will be responsible” if the weight is over the estimate. The crew then proceeds to make a “slide” out of our dish pack (Fragile this side up) boxes with the lamps, dishes, etc DOWN THE STAIRS, then SLIDE the remainder of the boxes down the boxes, bumping and tumbling along the way. I have pictures to document this. They turned our set of expensive dishes in a obvious UHAUL Dish pack box on its side and treated our stuff like garbage most of the day. The driver disassembled much more than I thought was necessary including our bicycles, a shoe rack and other small items.

Once they left, the final weight ended up around 8500 lbs. I firmly told the company that I was not going to pay anything above their “not to exceed estimate”, and paid by credit card in case there was a problem. Upon arrival, (2 days earlier than the estimate because of cancellations with bad weather which was nice) another local crew was hired to unload. They did a great job unloading and handled our things with care. The driver put our things back together in a somewhat haphazard fashion and I even had to insist several times when he had assembled a shoe rack incorrectly, he seemed annoyed that I wanted it done correctly and also wanted to not assemble other things he had taken apart. They refused to reassemble a bed that I had taken apart myself prior to their arrival because they had not taken it apart. You’re welcome apparently.

I was instructed to note damaged boxes or items on the checklist as they arrived and I noted several things that were damaged, including the leg to a nightstand broken off, another shoe rack that was broken, a wooden (particle board) file cabinet that was completely destroyed when it was lifted completely full onto a loaders back in WA, a blender, several glass pieces and dishes that were part of the “slide” and several pictures that were packed by the company in WA.

After this horrible experience overall, I was surprised to get a call from the driver a week or so after I left a review in an email at the company’s request. He was upset about the negative review and how it would affect him and was rather confrontational and unprofessional. I told him he was ultimately responsible for any actions of his crew which he blamed and said he never saw the slide, which means he was not supervising adequately.

I filed a damage report and let me tell you, DON’T BOTHER. Opt out of the insurance. If the truck caught on fire they would probably say that it was your fault and they don’t cover PBO. Read the fine print, if you pack anything it's “PBO” and “we don’t cover PBO”. Actually that is nowhere in the fine print I could find, they just tell you that afterwards. Even the items damaged that were packed by the company, because we didn’t note the boxes were damaged on the inventory and they weren’t just the items inside (you could hear the glass broken in the box) when they were unloaded they wouldn’t cover that, so despite having a 0 deductible they covered NOTHING that was damaged/broken by their negligence and denied the whole claim.

In the end we spent almost 12k to have our things mishandled, broken and be harassed by a contractor, who didn’t supervise the other contractors who treated our things like garbage. Don’t be fooled, the only thing “official” about American Van Lines is the sticker on the side of the truck. Avoid them at all costs, next time we are hiring our own local crew and loading a POD. Half the cost and none of the headaches.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Out of the 100 wine boxes I packed I have only found 29 that were put inside huge boxes. So what happened to the other 79 wine boxes? I did not request that they rummage and tear up my boxes just to put them in giant boxes – this is not what I signed up or agreed to. The sales rep said that by me packing my own stuff I would save me packing charge money. Many of the boxes were upside down and when I opened them to unpack there was a huge mess even though I had labels right side up. Many of the ½ wardrobe sized boxes only had a couple of small items that I had originally packed in wine boxes to keep similar things and colors together.

Fuller ripped everything apart and used extra large boxes that cost me an extra $1,176.25, a total of $15,561. My grandmother’s art deco marble topped cabinet from the 1920s. There was a lot of family history to this furniture. It is 1.5” thick by 5x3 ft beveled edge marble cabinet and the cabinet doors are now scratched from Fuller movers. I paid $500 to have this piece crated, they didn't do it. So many things were smashed in their boxes, don't ever use this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I did a search online for movers and arranged one. North American Van Lines called several times and I ignored it. After getting woken up at 6am by them 2 days in a row, I answered an afternoon call and asked to be removed from the list. 2 days and 6 calls later later I have blocked their number.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

The move was not the way the driver painted it. It took two trucks, $22,000 later. They separated a special RH table at a central location. When the second truck arrived. The crated marble was there and not table base. Lost the base to a $5000 RH table and they denied the claim saying that there was no proof of delivery. Worst company ever. Would not use them. Going to the Media.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

When North American arrived at our place in Ft Mill SC the only person to unpack the truck was the driver. There were four pages of items that I had to sign off on but he only gave us 3 sheets. Missing one whole page! There were broken items that I took pictures of. There were missing parts of furniture and many boxes were unnumbered so we did not know what was missing, He told me the numbers had been lost along the way. The one thing that happened was I had many antique items that were in my family from Denmark. Everyone one them are gone and they cannot tell me what happened to them. I am talking thousands of dollars but they were also done by my mother's grand aunt who designed for the King and Queen of Denmark. These articles and designs were very valuable.

The day the driver arrived he wanted me to sign the papers that everything was here. I refused and he grabbed the papers and put my initials on the paper! Now they tell me I cannot prove that I did not have things as my initials are on the paper! We lost so many items and I do not know what was on that fourth sheet. They told me I should have called the day it happened but it was a Sunday and no one would have answered. This is wrong! I am really upset about losing the Danish items. There were my heritage. They did not care and would not back up what I said. Do not use them! cannot believe a company would behave in this manner. How can they lose items like that. I believe they were stolen!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Absolutely terrible experience, and company. My first time moving cross country, and the whole experience was terrible. At first, Mike the sales guy seemed knowledgeable, and was great. Gave me a lot of options, and finally we moved forward. I decided to move most of my stuff myself, and then have them pack, and move the rest. I moved most of my belonging myself to Colorado. The day the movers reached my house in MN, they were not aware they were supposed to pack everything up. They didn't have boxes, they weren't prepared. They called me in CO as if I could do anything about it, but were fairly accommodating so I thought.

When everything arrived in CO, they unloaded into a storage unit. Which was on all of my documentation, I specifically called to ask if I needed to open the boxes, or do anything special for claims, as I was worried about broken things. They assured me, on the phone, as I was unloading into a storage unit that I had 9 months to file claims. I specifically asked if I needed to open boxes, or claim at the time of drop off, and if I needed to do it while the movers were there. They said no, I had 9 months to claim, and just to keep the pink copy, and write damaged items on that, and submit claim within 9 months.

Over the next couple months, I sorted through everything. Broken bed, Broken dresser. 2 broken guitars that were NOT EVEN BOXED UP! Just thrown in! When I went to claim, I was told none of my claims would be covered as it's not their responsibility after it's dropped off in a storage unit because it could get damaged in storage afterwards. I explained to them, and showed them email interactions that proved that I specifically asked about these things, and they didn't care.

I asked them what I was supposed to do, as going through every single item while the drivers were there would take days... the response I continued to get was "Read your contract". Then... I also asked, "Ok, what if you dropped everything off at my house, could it also get damaged there?" They said, "Yes, so you have to file your claims at the time of drop off". Then I asked... "Well, then when exactly does your 9 month claim policy work? Because there isn't a single scenario where you can claim any other time besides at the time of delivery." "Read your contract".

So, word of warning.... nothing can be claimed unless it is photographed, and claimed at the moment of delivery. So... be sure to make the drivers stay as long as you need to look through every single box, and examine every single item you have. Even if it takes weeks, apparently that is the ONLY way you're going to receive anything on a claim. Beware, they will lie, and tell you it's fine, you can claim in 9 months, fill out pink sheet, etc. It's all a lie. Read the contract, do not allow them to leave until you've gone through everything. Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

The moving company was decent except for the fact that they refused to take off a door so my couch would fit through the opening. Instead, they suggested I cut the couch (no kidding) with a saw and then have a furniture repair company put it back together.

North American Van Lines expert review by Jessica Render

North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and residential moving for long-distances. With over 80 years of experience, the company is an expert on helping companies relocate throughout North America.

• Packing: North American Van Lines has extensive advance packing services to help ensure a timely move. They have a huge network of movers and many offices and trucks so that they have the bandwidth to handle more customers.

• Households: In addition to corporate moving, it offers household moving to individuals and families that are moving nationwide.

• Competitive pricing: The company is reasonably priced and offers alternatives to help keep costs down, such as flexible move times.

• Materials: The company offers customers a number of reasonably priced packing materials, such as moving kits and boxes.

• Estimates: North American will provide you with estimates for moving supplies and services in order to give you a true sense of how much your move will cost.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of Jessica Render
    Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

North American Van Lines Company Information