1.13/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

250 North American Van Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

I am an experienced moving company customer. This was my first experience with North American Van Lines. I previously had used United Van Lines on my 3 previous cross country moves, but my company had paid for those moves. This time it was on my dime. North American had a decent price quote, so I decided on using them... Big mistake! They did a poor job packing lost several items, broke a rare sculpture and my printer. I had photos and documenting of the damaged items, and provided the photos and missing items documentation the day it was requested.

They reimbursed me ZERO. Even though I added the additional insurance with a cost of $100 to the move. They will downgrade the value on your broken items, then claim the reimbursement didn’t reach the $500 deductible. On the missing items, you have to notice the missing items, and make that claim with the movers delivering your items. In my case that would be opening 70 plus boxes while they are being delivered to your home, and then notice what is missing. Who is able to do that while directing the move team where to put all your boxes. If you use North American Van Lines...don’t give yourself an added headache on top of an already stressful experience. I will never use them again, and encourage anyone moving not to use them. I’d go with a United Van Lines if I could make this choice again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We hired this Company to do a state to state move for my parents. Please do NOT contract with them. They gave me a rate, inflated it and stated we will give you more discounts only to inflate it again!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2019

We moved from Texas to California and paid over $18k. This included one month of storage in Texas which cost about $4k. Everything went seemingly smoothly until our items were delivered. Almost all major pieces of furniture were damaged. Large cracks in our brand new dining table, legs knocked off new nightstands, chips on edges and corners of everything. We went through claims and got $5k back and now are the proud owners of damaged everything. Do NOT recommend using North American Van Lines unless you don't care about your stuff.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

We hired Allied for a long-distance from Chicago, but they sub-contracted to North American which is another division of the same parent corporation. The long-haul driver was a no-show on our scheduled pickup day. Two days before the end of our contracted delivery window, we received a call that our possessions were in Kansas because they had been stored quite a while in Chicago. When we reminded them that we didn't have to pay if they didn't deliver on time, they found a way to meet the deadline but it involved a crew unloading at our new home until nearly 11 pm. That crew tried to get us not to check off each item, which is good because several were missing (including some that the crew knew were missing because those items were never loaded in Chicago). Several other items were broken.

Then we had to start the claims process which was horrible. The claim adjusters' job seems to be to avoid paying replacement value claims. They have a bunch of schemes. One was to find a cheap knock-off of something we owned and only offer us the price of that. Another was to claim that our possessions were old and had depreciated (their 'tariff', the regulatory document that governs interstate transport, states that depreciation is not a factor for replacement value). Yet another was to claim that there's a low limit on damages for self-packed boxes (the tariff does have a limit, but it's $2500 or higher depending on box size). Ultimately we had to file a lawsuit to recover. That's what it took to recover the full amount due to us.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

We moved across the country and had this company move our stuff to storage for a couple of months before we were ready for it. We got the full boat of insurance just to make sure we wouldn't have any headaches at the end. The day we had our things delivered, my mother in law was the only one able to be present for the delivery due to some other circumstances. Since we had the insurance, my husband and I didn't stress about not being able to be there. The delivery day was a horrible experience for my mother-in-law. Rude, impatient, demanding, disrespectful are a few of her words and then they wouldn't go until they had her sign that everything was present.

We reassured her that everything would be okay because we had the insurance and had a set time to go through things. If something was missing or damaged, it would be okay. Fast forward some months...still within the time limit allowed, we filed our claim. Most things were good, but when it came to our Grande Piano... (insert rage) I had it professionally packed before the move to storage. I was present when it was packaged initially and when it was opened at my new house. What we opened was not how it was when it went into storage. Nobody is owning up to how that happened... And now there are parts missing and it is damaged! Damage that cannot be repaired! Plus the board and straps and roller that were our property for moving the piano are gone.

So if we need to move the piano again in the future, we're out those things too! It's still a functioning piano, but I will never let something that valuable be touched by such poor quality customer service people. Our delivery to our house was on October 31st, 2017. Today is February 22nd, 2019 and we got our final denial for our claim. When everything was filed within the given time, pictures, receipts, estimates for missing parts, Lawyers... It was not enough. We've been through the whole process now and I'm just stunned. How? What?... Crooks! The next step is going to court. No headaches??? I encourage everyone who moves to skip looking into North American. DON'T USE NORTH AMERICAN!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

On 1/2/2019, we contracted with Gasperson Moving and Storage, representing North American Moving, to move our household belongings from Hendersonville, NC to Norman, OK. We signed a “not to exceed” contract with Gasperson/North American for $7999.20. This contract was to include the moving of our entire household belongings. We had already packed approximately 100 boxes. Gasperson representative, Kaleb ** visited our home and inventoried our belongings. There was very little conversation between Mrs. ** and **. The amount was determined by ** and we signed it. There was no mention of any specialized packing of pictures, lamps or lamp shades. We were under the assumption that those items would be handled by Gasperson.

The move was set to take place on 1/4/2019. On the morning of the 1/4/2019 the driver and van arrived at approximately 9:00 a.m. as predetermined and scheduled. We had taken every step we could to be ready and in position for the move. After about 30 minutes of walking around, the driver informed us that he could not make the turn into our street and informed us the move would not take place. Gasperson informed us that they would be sending a new driver and truck, but it would not take place until the next day. An entire day was wasted, and we have a tight work schedule on the other end in Oklahoma. We had no choice but to accept it.

On the afternoon of January 4, 2019, another driver and helper showed up unexpected and informed us that he would be executing the move the following day, January 5, 2019, and that he would have no issues making the turn onto our street. This was puzzling to us. We were informed that the previous driver was an ongoing issue and would not be used in the future. Kaleb had been to our home, seen the street in question, and quoted the move based on what he had seen. When the driver wouldn’t make the turn, Ms. ** called and said they would have to shuttle the items to the truck and that would be an extra charge. We told her that Kaleb had quoted the move and that there was never any mention of having to shuttle items back and forth.

Kaleb called a few minutes later and said unfortunately they would have to charge us for the shuttle and we told him, in no uncertain terms, that he had quoted the move, no mention of shuttling and that they would have to find a way to deal with their driver not making the turn. This is when we were informed that another driver would be coming the next day, January 5, 2019, and would load our items.

At approximately noon on January 4, 2019, I received a call from Kaleb ** informing me that they would not be packing or moving lamps, lamp shades or pictures unless we paid them approximately $1,300.00. Of course, we refused and said we would pack them ourselves. We went to Home Depot and purchased an additional $157.57 of packing materials to pack these items. We packed the items. A little while later, we received another call from Audra ** informing us that it would not be $1,300.00 but $2,500.00 to pack those items. I told her we were packing them ourselves. There was no further discussion. We are not clear how the price went from $1,300.00 to $2,500.00 in two hours.

On Saturday, January 5th the truck arrived at approximately 9:30 a.m. The truck made the turn easily into the street and parked in front of the house. There were only three workers. One of the scheduled workers simply did not show. We had to listen to them complain about it all throughout the day. Two of the workers seemed to be moving and one that was just placing stickers on items to be moved. They were clearly understaffed for this move. We continued the packing and loading process throughout the day. It was moving at a snail’s pace as there were essentially only two workers moving and loading. Based on our inventory, Gasperson should have provided at least 4-5 workers. This did not occur.

At approximately, 6:15 p.m., one of the workers informed the foreman, “Billy” that he was leaving as he had issue with his girlfriend. They are now down to two tired workers. At this point, it is now dark and the truck they are loading has no exterior lighting and no interior lighting, which I know is clearly a NHTSA violation of marking a parked commercial vehicle. Also, the movers can no longer see inside the truck. They were using cell phones to see. It was ridiculous, dangerous and very unprofessional.

As if it could not get any worse, it got worse. Ms. ** made a call to “Billy” informing him that our truck and belongings would be returned to the Gasperson facility where it would be unloaded and reloaded onto the original truck and driver that could not make the turn on Friday. They were not going to simply exchange trailers but were, in fact, going to unload the entire truck and reload and repack it again. They did not have our permission to do this. We have never heard of such a ridiculous waste of not only their time but ours as well.

It is now approaching 11:00 p.m. They have been at the house for over 14 hours and are still not finished. We have packed the lamp bases, shades and pictures. They were inspected by “Billy” and approved by him. He said they were fine and could be moved as packed by us. At this point in the move, they are just throwing our belongings on the truck. There is clearly no structure or organization to what they are doing.

At approximately, 11:45 p.m., we met with the movers to sign the documents requested before they could leave. I tipped them for staying and finishing the job. They were clearly exhausted and placed in an impossible scenario. They knew we were not happy and would be filing a complaint. They indicated that they were not happy with the company and this was not the first time this has happened. They used the term “unprofessional” several times in the conversation.

We then had to leave for Oklahoma at near midnight to drive all night, as we had pressing work on Monday morning.

On January 9, 2019, the driver moving our items to Oklahoma, the original driver that wouldn’t make the turn into our street in North Carolina, called and said he had a flat tire and wouldn’t be arriving until January 10, 2019. Again, this is an extra day moving our items into our new home. This driver has now cost us two extra days, one in North Carolina and one in Oklahoma.

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 the North American truck, with the original driver who would not make the turn into our street in Hendersonville, arrived. Ms. ** told Mrs. ** she would not use this driver because of the issues he had not making the turn, but he is the one that delivered our items in Oklahoma. There were at least 6 workers unloading our belongings. They were actually too fast as they were just dropping boxes everywhere as they indicated they had another job to do that day. We found many broken items as we began to unpack. This is the result of them not only dropping the boxes everywhere but loading and unloading our items twice.

As if this could not get worse, it got worse. Gasperson, at the direction of **, took it upon herself to defy my order and repacked our pictures that had been approved by “Billy”, the mover, and then proceeded to charge our credit card $1,340.05!! She did not have our permission whatsoever to do this. This is clearly credit card fraud.

We have disputed the charge with the credit card company and will most likely pursue this matter in small claims court. We have filed complaints with the Asheville and Hendersonville Better Business Bureaus, with North American and with the consumer watch programs at Channels 13, 7 and 4. We are asking for an apology and at least a credit of the $1,340.05. I also think we are entitled to some compensation for wasting our time. We would not recommend this company to anyone. They were unprofessional and unethical in their business dealings. They clearly underestimated the inventory to move as Kaleb clearly admitted to. They tried to make up for their mistake by underhandedly charging us for services we did not approve. Ms. ** never took responsibility for any of the issues and said that North American was responsible and not her company.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

On a cross country move, they broke our safe. A weld on the inside the safe broke. They said since there is no damage on the outside of the safe, it is not their fault. Total BS. If I had seen this reviews prior to the move, I would never used them.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Wow. The owner from Hemsted’s Moving & Storage Bob ** came out to give an estimate for the move. As I am showing him what we are going to take and what we are not going to take. He opens a cabinet and I told him we took out the things we are going to take. He begins to get upset. As we get to the kitchen he starts telling me we are going to wind up with 5 or 6 thousand pounds. I told him, “I am not sure why we are doing this - he is not looking at what we are going to take.” He gets more upset and storms out of the house.

I follow him out and ask what I did wrong as all I am trying to do is get an estimate. His response was to tell me, “Half the ** you say you are not taking, you will take. I’ll bet you $100, no $500.” Then raises his hand and says, “Get a U-Haul, I won’t even move you” and storms off and drives away. Wow. I think the tipping point was when we were in the garage and I wasn’t taking the air compressor or the toolbox (the tools are already at our new home). Guess he owns a “we move it all or we move nothing” company. Might not be the place to go if you are downsizing. In any event I am happy that he has so much business that he can be short with customers and speak with the kind of language he did with me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I don't know how this company stays in business. Honestly, they do not care about customers or their belongings. I moved recently from Chicago to Pasadena. I needed to reschedule my move date and was charged an additional $500, but didn't find out there was an additional charge until after the fact. I would have made the original date work if I had known. Very deceptive. Over half of my household goods were either damaged or lost, including my couch. How do you lose a couch? My bike was stolen from me, and then the company claimed I didn't have a bike. Steer clear of this company. They charge premium rates and do not care what happens to your things after they are in their possession. It's really unbelievable. I wrote the CEO and he basically told me to jump in a lake. Horrible treatment. After they have your money, they write you off. I will pursue legal action against them.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

We had a North American Van Lines from Florida move us to a storage facility in Winchester, TN on or about October 23, 2018. No computer, printer or parts to my TV got there. The TV screen was scratched all over. Never, never will I use this particular company again!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

We worked with affiliate Republic Moving & Storage. Needed to store stuff for 3 months while new house being built. Pick up and load relatively smooth. Items were wrapped. Fast forward to delivery. I signed docs on 11/21/18 requesting delivery on 12/10/18. It is now 12/17/18 and they've said "maybe 20th or 21st." Do they not know where the truck is? Very poor communication. Like pulling teeth to get updates. BEWARE! NAVL SAYS THEY NEVER GUARANTEE DELIVERY DATES! They don't even provide an educated guess. I shudder to think what my stuff will look like when it finally arrives. One thing they are Johnny on the spot with was debiting my credit card for the full balance.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was scheduled a time for an estimate. I took time off work and they didn't show up. I guess they're making too much money to bother getting new business. Their excuse was "We tried calling you to confirm this morning but there was no answer." I WAS AT WORK!!! If they couldn't keep an appointment to get my business, how could I expect them to deliver on time?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My experience with The Moving Connection (a Baltimore affiliate of North American Van Lines) was a total nightmare. During a delivery from Maryland to my new home in a Philadelphia suburb, the movers damaged or lost a number of my valuable antiques, including radios, clocks, and lamps. My attempts to obtain fair compensation from SIRVA (a so-called claims adjustment agency connected with NAVL) was met with predictable bureaucratic apathy and downright lies. Considering this company's blatant disregard for consumer concerns and rights, I have decided to bring action against it in small claims court. My advice? It's the same as that given by others who have been victimized by the NAVL and its affiliates: avoid this scam operation like a plague and don't waste your time with SIRVA. Legal measures are your only recourse if you have the time and persistence.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The move was mediocre. Packing and loading as scheduled. The issues were with damages. According to North American the destination city was in an area where service, according to their claims office was not available. They said to estimate damages and submit a claim which I did. Upon receipt of the claim they sent a person to do his appraisal of the damages. My estimate, based on replacement as repair service was unavailable, was $5548.00. Their representative said he would submit his report on what his estimate was and the claims office would contact me. I had a $250 deduction and they determined I was entitled to $60.00, making the total claim to be $310.

The damage to the leather recliner alone, was at least that amount. I emailed a detailed list of the damages to the claim department disputing their low ball analysis of the claim. The response I received back was they will file my dispute in my claims file and no further action would be made. This was my 10th move over the years and the first time with North American. Bottom line... when comparing companies for a move, also research their damage claims record.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I was informed that my items would be delivered on a Tuesday after being picked up on the preceding Saturday. Instead, they were delivered on the following Saturday, one week after pickup. The driver said he would not make sufficient income if he delivered on the Tuesday. Then several items were damaged. They performed repair work on only some, claiming that they are not responsible if something had previously been repaired, regardless of the fact that they admitted that their movers damaged the piece. Very disreputable company. Never again! Stay away from them!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Ian ** - salesman. came to my home in Atlanta with false recommendation from Clark Howard, prominent consumer advocate. He lied about EVERYTHING. Gave lowball estimate of $3444, which ended up being near $11,000 after all their scams and ripoffs. Nothing padded. Nothing protected. Children and a family used to load and pack. Then they held my things hostage, demanding storage money for months. Took another prominent consumer advocate to get items delivered, far beyond delivery date and to get my things released. All furniture damaged or broken. TV broken. Glass broken. Much missing... and driver (now from Allied) left dozens of boxes on the street and drove away. CEO WES LUCAS received several letters, but said "sorry, if this happened."

The main company is SIRVA which owns all the others companies involved -- Beltmann, North American, Allied. etc... claims department denied claims saying I broke all my own stuff. It was a horrible life changing experience and I never got back my missing items, only more bills attempting extortion as a "permanent storage customer." Attorney Generals of 3 states have open cases. They DO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OLDER SENIORS -- WOMEN --- SINGLE WOMEN --- AND I ALSO HAVE A DISABILITY. The trifecta for criminals who are practiced in the art of deception. I fell twice trying to move my own boxes into my house. There is so much more to tell, but you get the picture.

If you hire North American or any of its affiliates, you will be ripped off. I hope it is not as devastating as my move. Their slogan: NO MOVE MATTERS. And beware of people like IAN ** --- a slick lying salesman. Oh, and they did not use lot # stickers, but vandalized my property by writing lot numbers all over things with permanent black marker. That's what $11,000 buys you in a North American move. Ruination.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I recently moved from Georgia to a midwestern city. I read the reviews of all the major van lines and knew the low level of satisfaction, however the company I hired failed to even meet my already low expectations. The sales rep that visited my home estimated a weight that was nearly identical with two (2) other salespersons from other movers and the price quote was the middle of the three. The company assured me they could complete the loading in one (1) day and on a single truck, so I made travel arrangements accordingly.

The driver arrived a little late but he was friendly and his helpers were careful and efficient. But soon the problems began to mount. His truck was already 2/3 full which made it clear to me that my belongings would not fit. at the end of the day the truck was full and there was still a portion of my furnishings left behind. I contacted the move coordinator and she assured me that a truck would be there in the morning, however, my travel plans, including flights and hotel rooms, needed to be changed.

The truck showed up late after two calls to the company and as it was raining and I was slightly upset they quickly loaded a shuttle truck with no inventory and left. I then discovered an amount of my items again left behind. The move coordinator called with payment questions and tried to run a credit card # I gave them earlier which created an issue because I had not transferred the required funds as I told I would be billed AFTER my belongings arrived. I called the company and the manager advised me that the estimate of the weight was a little shy of the real weight and it would cost me a little more. What followed could be described as extortion, his estimate was off by 70%!!! I asked how this was possible? Didn't get a reasonable answer. Only a demand for a cashier's check before any items were unloaded. To say I was upset was a gross understatement.

To make a long story short, the move cost me 70% more than quoted and the overflow load of my belongings arrived 10 days after it was loaded at my home in GA. To account for the inaccurate estimate, I was told it was partly my fault! How outrageous. I would not recommend North American to my worst enemy, no one deserves to be treated like my family was. These people should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

To Everyone that puts Trust in a company, This review is for Alex Moving & Storage, which is an agent of North American Van Lines in Camarillo Ca. I rarely write reviews but this company gave me such a tough time and insulted me to such an extent that I had to write a review to warn other people. We are senior citizens and our move from Thousand Oaks CA to Marana AZ was the worst experience. We had several boxes that were damaged and had damaged items inside. The worst part is they damaged my precious grandfather clock and my jewelry box given to me by my mother that passed away.

We put in a claim and after 2 months the company refunded $90.00 for my jewelry box and $48.00 for my grandfather clock really!!! $48.00 for a grandfather clock. We are in our 60s and this company takes advantage of the elderly. They must get paid money to rip off old people. Whatever you do don’t use this company. They do not stand by what they promote. And the claims company they oh my heavens… Stay away from them. Cindy was NO help, she was very rude, no empathy or compassion. All she could say is this is what you signed for. I asked for her supervisor. Her manager Margie said the same thing that Cindy. It was like they both were just reading a script; they must get incentives for turning down claims!! The claims company is a scam. Horrible Experience. Run don’t walk away from this company. I will Never use them again and Never Recommend them to anyone!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This review is for Phillips Moving and Storage, which is an agent of North American Van Lines in Toronto. I rarely write reviews but this company gave me such a tough time and insulted me to such an extent that I had to write a review to warn other people. Please don't fall for the great reviews on Google. I did and I suffered. Run, run, and run some more away from this company.

I had the most frustrating experience in my life with this moving company, where Katy ** was the person handling my move. If you see an email from Katy **, run away as far as possible. Because of her mistakes in handling my cross-border move, I received my furniture/stuffs 35 days late. As a result, I had to buy all necessary stuffs/furniture/kitchen items that cost me $1000+ to live these 35 days. Not only that, they held my stuffs hostage unless I pay them extra money for their own mistakes, so I ended up paying $200 extra besides receiving my stuffs 35 days late and incurring additional $1000+ on my own.

Further, the psychological and emotional trauma they subjected me to was insane. Katy was incompetent and extremely rude. Besides she will blame you for mistakes she makes and won't hesitate to make false statements one after another. The company Phillips will protect her without giving any consideration to the customer's side of the story. I basically begged to them several times to give my case to somebody else other than Katy as I had lost confidence and trust in her. But they did not.

In short, neither I nor any person I know of ever had such a frustrating, humiliating, and traumatic experience with any company in buying any type of service in my life. I am deeply suspicious of the good google reviews for this company. If my experiences were anything to go by, they should receive zero rating (or minus rating if that were possible).

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I picked Andy's by way of picking North American Van Lines. They were my most expensive quote, but I didn't want to risk it and penny pinch for a cross country move CA to OH. They were efficient with the loading, but here's the thing. I painstakingly labeled all my boxes with what's in each one, but on their inventory load list it's just a number and notation of "packed by owner" unless you pay them to pack in which case they write "TV". Therein lies a huge problem when it comes to getting your things delivered. They stored my items for 3 months until we bought our house in OH at which time THEY contacted a driver to get my things out of storage and transported to OH.

Driver arrives in OH but it's only him and one other guy. No way they can unload and carry all my heavy things -- 3 story house. There were 6 guys in CA loading and it took nearly all day. When I questioned driver, he got VERY ANGRY. I couldn't reach Andy's since it was 6 am PST. Called NA Van Lines locally said they couldn't help. Up to Andy's or driver to hire more people. So for 3 hours my husband who had just had surgery and my 72 yr old father are trying to help unload. Meanwhile the driver is refusing to carry any boxes upstairs, which of course is to be included in what I paid! Now Andy's is open and they REFUSE, yes REFUSE to do anything, instead pointing responsibility to the driver for hiring more people.

But I didn't pick this driver! Andy's contracted with this driver! I contracted with NA Van Lines, who dispatched my move to Andy's! So everyone washed their hands of responsibility. The driver got extremely hostile because I called Andy's and "told on him". So now he threatens to leave right then with all my items still on his truck. Yes that's right, he threatened to "steal" all my items unless I called back Andy's and "lied" to them and told them everything was fine. It wasn't! He was refusing to carry any boxes upstairs or downstairs, just putting everything in my living room and he was throwing boxes around and not being careful with our things. My dad wanted to call the cops the guy was getting so hostile but I was afraid he'd take off and steal my belongings.

Finally 2 other kids showed up to help, because the OH local NA Van Lines movers understood my stress and decided to help. They were about 18 or 19 but if it weren't for them I don't know what would have happened. They carried all the items upstairs, downstairs and put our beds together as was supposed to happen. There were 4 boxes not checked off the inventory list but driver wouldn't let us look for them on truck. Also couldn't find couch legs and he broke our recliner and broke the footboard on our bed. Driver started getting very hostile and physical toward my dad again who wanted to look for the items in the truck and threatened to take off driving and lock my dad in the truck.

I called Andy's again. Again they said nothing they could do. Really? So I had to give up on the 4 boxes and hope nothing real valuable was in them. I reported this problem to the owner. Nothing. I reported this issue to N A Van Lines. Nothing. Well guess what was in one of those boxes. My wedding dress. For 27 years I've had that wedding dress and it's survived 3 previous moves. They ruined the dreams of my daughters wearing portions of dress or veil when they get married. Now it's lost forever. Once again neither Andy's nor NA Van Lines would do anything about it. Shameful company. Do not ever use this company or North American Van Lines. They accept zero responsibility for the dangerous reprehensible actions of people doing your move.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We moved from Colorado to mid Missouri. We had a LOT of stuff. They didn't take it all, and we are missing 3 electric saws, a shotgun and blowgun. They say they don't have it. For 20K! Crew in MO was great.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

3 months ago I called 3 companies to move our furniture and belongings from FL to NC, I chose A-Turner Moving & Storage Company which is an affiliate of North American Van Lines. Jeff ** gave me a quote of estimate of over $3500. When the actual cost is over $5,500. They gave me a 10 day spread as to when everything would be delivered (July 21-Aug,1). It is now Aug. 4 and no guarantee as to when the delivery will take place except it may be Aug. 9. North American claims there is a shortage of drivers. Why wasn't I told of that in the very beginning? They are very irresponsible.

When I asked Bria to transfer to Supervisor she gave me the next team of command person (Linda) which could not help me. They agreed to pay for my hotel of up to $100 per night and only 50% of restaurant food only which I need to fill out a form with copies of receipts from Aug. 1. My husband and I are in our upper 70s and have a handicap adult daughter and our small dog all cooped up in a one room hotel. We are in dire need of our medical equipment which is still in storage at A-Turner Moving & Storage in Gainesville, NC. I have told them that many times and they do not care. This is the poorest services I have ever had. PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER THIS COMPANY FOR MOVING.

Original review: July 6, 2018

These people mishandled my out of state move from start to finish. They changed the pickup date on me, showed up with a truck incapable of loading my 2 motorcycles and then took forever to arrive. The worst part is they damaged one of my motorcycles and would not cover the damage. Stay away from them and by NO means should you let them handle your car or motorcycle. The claims company they use is a scam.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with any moving company. I have used several in my career and business with North American Van Lines was a disaster. Moving from Kansas to Texas, The packers left so much incomplete, we ended packing many items ourselves, including utensils. The following day it took 12 hours to load the truck, which by earlier estimates should have taken about 6. One guy quit, another was sick and throwing up... The truck driver was an absolute disappointment, who did not know how to use a gps and find his way to either location!!! We had two guys at the Texas location that did a great job, in spite of the truck driver, who they had to go find. Parts were missing on the dining room table, we had to buy nuts and put the item together. I can go on and on, but it is too much to type. I will never use this company again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We hired Ward North American moving company for our relocation from San Antonio to Phoenix. We would like to warn everyone not to hire this company for their house move or relocation. We had a horrible experience. Lots of our stuff was damaged in the transit, staff was very rude and mostly clueless. They did not even bother to notify us when they could not deliver on the promised date. We had to keep calling them to figure out where our stuff was. We now feel that we should have looked at all of their negative reviews before hiring the incompetent North American Moving company. So do your homework and due diligence hiring any movers. They were very expensive, and we thought it would be smooth and professional move as promised, but it was the opposite.

We have moved many times before but never had such a bad experience and poor customer service (previous moves were through employers). Packing was horrible and done by inexperienced staff. They did not protect the heavy furniture. They reimbursed us after several months for small broken items but not for the dining table. They are saying they are not liable for the crack as it is weather related, even though it cracked during the move. They even sold us insurance and still will not reimburse us. People who came to deliver the stuff were shocked to see how the stuff was packed and handled. All the boxes were damaged and torn. We have photos to show their packing and how they handled our stuff. If you see North American Moving company, run in the opposite direction as fast as you can.

Still not convinced, here are top 10 reasons for avoiding North American Moving Company's moving and relocation services: Poor and rude customer service, Late delivery and no notification, poor packing and handling of your prized possessions, damaged items, no accountability of the damages (though you will get very creative excuses), big delays in processing your claim (person told me that there is big delay to be fair to all customers - meaning that the justification is that they mistreat everyone.), expensive, unprofessional staff (they will hire 3rd party contractors and hourly people and send them for your move), lots of headache in dealing with them and did I already say what a nightmare? Good luck with your move.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We used NA Van Lines in March 2017 for a move from Milwaukee WI to Mpls, MN. They were our worst movers. We packed our own boxes and wrapped each item very well and packed very well and still ended up with boxes of broken items, they had to be thrown on the truck to break my fiesta stoneware dishes! They were very dishonest and also STOLE our $200 extension ladder, a yellow gold diamond and tanzanite ring from us. We put in a claim and after 2 months were refunded sixteen dollars!!! Our dining room chairs were cracked in half and our maple bedroom furniture had huge chips broken off! I will never use them again and never recommend them to anyone!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

They forgot about us and refused to refund Thousands. Also we can say about this company is that is the one of the most horrible companies and we will never use or recommend to anybody. They never brought movers. They never brought packers. They outsourced to another company and they charged us thousands of dollars more for the outsourced company when they forgot about us that they lied and cheated again. We will never use this company and I will never let my company uses company can either.

And because they brought an outsourced third-party moving company they try to mark all of our furniture is damaged. They cover themselves because they knew they were damaged transferring it multiple times, and when confronting the only man they sent to the house when he did not send movers did not send packers or anything or anybody they promised. They then got became hostile and he actually threatened my wife when we asked them to leave before calling the police and then they won. Charged us money for going to the third-party contractor pizza moving that they call to my house not us.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Want to start out with I have moved cross country twice before, both times using National moving companies with no problems. I’ve done a few local moves as well, helped my children move etc., suffice it to say I am a seasoned packer, knowing what size boxes to order. Purchasing large rolls of bubble pack, dish packs, etc. In writing my review which is a very negative one, this was not my first move. I always get three bids, and I decided to go with Ferree Movers, out of Schererville IN.

On the day of my move, three men showed up, the driver, his helper, and one local man from the Ferree office as the facilitator. He was very helpful and kept things moving and organized. The driver asked to look at everything I had before he started. He immediately started complaining, and my stomach went into knots. I am a single mom, and I always know by experience this was going to be a bad day, and I realized the driver kept looking around asking where my husband was and I told him it was just me. Whenever I get asked that, it is never good, as from experience people take advantage of me, as I am a nice person by nature, and they think I’m a sucker and they think they can take advantage of me since I’m single and especially a WOMAN!!!

He started saying I had too many boxes, etc. I told him I had no idea what he meant, and this is the number of boxes I always have, and that when the estimator came out I showed him everything, and I had actually decided to leave a few pieces of furniture that were included in my move, so my load was less. He went on and on and said it was going to take up too much space. He started stressing me out all morning, as he continued to complain the entire time. I thought what I have gotten myself in to. John the facilitator told me to not worry about it, that I did not have too many boxes, and the driver was just being rude, and all was good. He said some drivers get picky about the space on their trucks. I thought as a paying customer, this should not happen, with getting berated the entire time they were loading me. I did nothing to deserve that. I had even made homemade cookies and coffee for them.

I had packed all my own boxes, and I watched them take everything out of my home and load everything into the truck, I want to be perfectly clear on this. The driver told me it would take about 2 weeks to arrive to the West Coast as he had five more families to load in different cities and then deliver their household belongings to their new homes and then he would be to me. They arrived 15 days later. When the driver came in before he started unloading, he gave me the paperwork, and told me most people don’t check every box, and there was no need to check every box, and it would take way to long, and he had to get on the road for his next trip so not to worry about it. I said ok? Hesitantly??? I was gracious as I always am and asked if they had lunch, they said no, and I went and got them lunch.

I started unpacking, with working full time I did the majority of unpacking over the next two weekends. I did start looking during the week in the evenings for the things I needed, such as: my coffee maker, dishes, towels, etc. To no avail, I could not find what I needed. I just chalked it up to the home I rented was much smaller therefore, I couldn’t get to all my things, as it was pretty cramped. I just gave up and figured when I got to those boxes I would be fine. I finished unpacking a few days ago, and I actually felt like I was in a dream, a fog, as I just walked from room to room, and in circles in my living room, talking to myself, as I thought, where is my coffee machine, where are my towels, where is my Cuisinart, where are my lamps, where is my jewelry, my makeup, paintings, and on, and on, and on.

I went to my iPad and looked up all my pictures of my home and realized all the things that were missing that were out, not in cabinets and closets. If I listed everything that is missing, stolen, it would take another two pages, and to be honest, I haven’t even been able to fully wrap my head around it yet, nor have I fully been able to finish my list of everything that is gone. The worst is, I lost my parents over 20 years ago, and a lot of their things are now gone, things that can never be replaced. I’m devasted, I feel so violated, I’m still in shock. Who would do such a thing. I had two binders of family recipes that were my mother's, grandmother's and aunt, that I will never be able to replace. I can never give these recipes to my children, much less make these recipes ever again.

I am dumbfounded. I actually realized when I unpacked a few boxes that they had been unpacked and repacked with items that I would have never packed together nor did I pack together, and even a few bins that I did not own, but in them were my items thrown in them. This is a total nightmare, and I pray this never happens to anyone else. I called Ferree Movers the very next morning, and spoke with Tom **, the owner, and he was very callous, and told me, to call the 1-800 number to North American Van Lines, it is an automated number and it will tell me to go to their website and to fill out the Domestic Claims Forms. I told him I had already looked into that last night, and that form is for each individual item that is missing, and it’s going to take me hours and hours I do not have to fill everything out. And what do I get back? .60 cents on the pound, that doesn’t even cover anything… (It’s a joke.) He could have cared less.

I replied with, "That’s it." He said, "Yep." I was in even more shock, that he didn’t care, nor wanted to spend any more time with me on the phone than necessary. He did ask me did I open up all the boxes, I wanted to scream, as I told him if I hadn’t of opened all the boxes I wouldn’t be calling. And that anything of value was missing. He could have cared less. What kind of business is this? They say they have been in business since 1929, and are a full service moving specialists, and professional. They say we have a professional driver development program that puts Ferree Movers drivers through a detailed qualification process, including hands-on safety and customer service training. Our drivers are respectful of both you and your possession.

None of this was to be true in my move, from the day they loaded me to now. The lack of professionalism, the lack of respect, the asking me if I had unpacked everything? I am not missing an item or two, or a box or two. I am missing all my high-ticket items of my entire home, paintings, dishes, cooking gadgets, my Nespresso machine, medicine, makeup, all my jewelry, my perfume bottles, my Christmas presents from my family, my birthday presents, etc., etc. I have gone to the police two nights ago and have filed a police report. DO NOT USE FERREE MOVERS… DO NOT, UNLESS YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR THINGS…

Original review: April 10, 2018

I didn't even use North American Van Lines but I can tell you, I never will. When I came home from work last night, there was a North American truck blocking my driveway. They were moving things into a house 2 doors down on the other side of the street, but instead of being parked in front of THAT house, they were parked in front of mine. My mother (who is 72 years old) told me that she went outside to ask the driver to move his truck before I got home so I could get into my driveway. The driver told my mother "** YOU", then flipped her off. They did NOT move their truck. I went out about an hour later and was told they only had 5 more items to move. The truck was there for another 3 hours. My mother, of course, called the company to complain about the rudeness and unprofessionalism of their workers towards a senior citizen and me as a homeowner. She has yet to receive a response. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

After choosing North American Van Lines for my move from WA to CA, I had signed a contract clearly explaining that charges would NOT exceed a certain $ amount. If anything, the charges might be lower due to final weight. I ended up paying an additional $789.81 for a shuttle truck due to the driver's lack of ability to back up the North American truck into the proper loading slot. Large semi's back in frequently for people who move in and out of the same complex. Even large semi service trucks cater to area restaurants and do just fine with parking.

I do not think it is fair that my rate was changed due to the driver refusing to do so, or lack of driving experience. This caused North American to hire a shuttle truck which was more money. Here's the kicker, sign for the shuttle fees or we will not deliver the goods! North American really ties your hands and leaves you in a bind. After all was said and done, I owed an add'l $789.91 on top of the original quote. Truly unfair and nothing more than an add-on sale. I am now hearing that this happens frequently with North American, who refuses to work with me on this issue. Moving is stressful enough and customer service goes a long way.

North American Van Lines expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and residential moving for long-distances. With over 80 years of experience, the company is an expert on helping companies relocate throughout North America.

• Packing: North American Van Lines has extensive advance packing services to help ensure a timely move. They have a huge network of movers and many offices and trucks so that they have the bandwidth to handle more customers.

• Households: In addition to corporate moving, it offers household moving to individuals and families that are moving nationwide.

• Competitive pricing: The company is reasonably priced and offers alternatives to help keep costs down, such as flexible move times.

• Materials: The company offers customers a number of reasonably priced packing materials, such as moving kits and boxes.

• Estimates: North American will provide you with estimates for moving supplies and services in order to give you a true sense of how much your move will cost.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
      Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

North American Van Lines Company Information