Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now
  2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.15/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

BOTTOM LINE

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

PROS

• Corporate relocations
    • Shipment tracking
    • Instant quote estimate

CONS

• Potentially pricey

Top North American Van Lines Reviews

The crew was very courteous in packing everything up. The crew in Atlanta was just as professional as the CA one. My stuff was delivered within the time frame they gave me and I was very pleased with the company. Overall, I will recommend them to all my friends and/or co-workers, job well done.

The North American Agent in OKC was fantastic. They were on time and efficient. The guys that were packing and loading were hustling. They placed pads on all of our doorways and corners, and they wrapped all of our furniture. When they arrived in Chicago they called to change the timeline because of traffic outside of Chicago.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines is a large moving company with 500 local agents in the United States. The company handles domestic and international moves for everything from small homes to large companies. Customers who want a less stressful relocation can opt for premium services like full packing, temporary storage and furniture assembly and disassembly.

North American Van Lines cost

A two-bedroom, 700-mile summer move with North American Van Lines costs about $5,000. Smaller, local moves cost at least $600, but additional services, such as packing, increase the total price. We like that North American Van Lines provides instant quote estimates on its website. Prospective customers must enter basic information, including pickup and drop-off locations, home size and amount of belongings for transport, before seeing the estimated cost.

We requested sample moving costs from Chicago to Atlanta for a two-bedroom home. We planned the move three months in advance for a Saturday in the summer, which is peak moving season.

Estimated costs to move from Chicago to Atlanta

Amount of household itemsEstimated price range
      Less than average$4,250 - $4,950
      Average$4,950 - $5,600
      More than average$5,700+

North American Van Lines moving services

North American Van Lines completes the following types of moves:

• Household moves: These moves are available for all residence sizes from studio apartments to multibedroom houses.
      • Corporate relocation: North American Van Lines moves companies and their employees domestically or abroad.
      • Long-distance move: The company handles cross-country and interstate moves. Plan ahead for a cheaper, smoother move. North American Van Lines includes free stretch wrapping for furniture.
      • International moving: International moving quotes are available on the company's website.

North American Van Lines includes loading and unloading services, basic liability coverage and shipment tracking free with every move. It also offers premium services that cost extra but make moving easier. These options include:

• Packing: Choose from full-service, fragile-only or partial packing assistance.
      • Temporary storage: When your move-in and move-out dates don’t align, temporary storage is a convenient solution.
      • Installation and assembly: Movers disassemble, assemble and install furniture and appliances.
      • Specialty items: Pianos, antiques and other heavy or fragile items need extra care.
      • Full valuation coverage: A step up from basic coverage, full valuation coverage offers far more protection if goods are damaged or lost during a move.

North American Van Lines FAQ

Can I track my move with North American Van Lines?
      Yes. The company has a 24/7 online tracking feature.
      How can I submit a claim with North American Van Lines?
      Submit a claim through the company's website or by calling North American Van Lines directly.
      Do I need an in-home estimate with North American Van Lines?
      Yes. North American Van Lines requires an in-home estimate before giving a final quote. Its initial online estimate is just a guide, not a final calculation.
      How long does an in-home estimate take?
      An in-home estimate usually takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of your residence. Use this time to ask any questions you have.

Is North American Van Lines worth it?

We like that North American Van Lines handles almost any type of move from residential to commercial and domestic to international. North American Van Lines offers a pleasant, hassle-free experience for some, but it’s hard to ignore dozens of reviews that mention tardiness, broken items and general dissatisfaction. It’s crucial to note that experiences vary based on the local agent. It’s worth getting a quote from North American Van Lines, but make sure to compare it with other companies before making a final decision.

North American Van Lines Reviews

Original review: March 12, 2020

This company is a travesty! Not only did I pay them approx $10K to move me from Aurora, CO to Pennsylvania, but they trashed my stuff! I purchased insurance, but they put the initials - CP beside each numbered item..which I found out means "Customer Packed" which we did not pack all of our stuff...they did. The only way I found out was the deliver driver. It also means they do not honor insurance coverage that you purchase. When he opened the truck doors, my household belongings were piled in a HEAP...Nothing was stacked...It was literally thrown in one big mound in the truck. It was falling over, boxes were crushed...and there is nothing I can do!?

They also took apart some of my exercise equipment (elliptical). The parts were not packed with the elliptical, and cannot be found. Now not only do I have to purchase new parts, but I have to have a specialist come put it back together because I don't know what's missing! On top of the $10K I paid them, they cost me $3 - $5K in broken, damaged or lost stuff. What a crock! How are they even acknowledged by the Better Business Bureau? DO NOT use North American in Denver, CO!! They are just awful!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

This was an out of state move. Many boxes were damaged, so I know they were not careful. Some of the boxes felt lighter when they arrived at my new residence. Sure enough, as I was emptying them, I started to notice how many things did not make it with me across state lines-- clothes, special items, costumes for Halloween, Christmas mementos, etc.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

At destination, things not placed where requested, Movers walked out at midnight, dumped the remaining things in garage. Lots of damage on high value items. Had to fight for settlement, which was pennies on the dollar.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I used this moving company out of New Jersey to move me from Trumbull Ct to Fort Worth Tx. They took apart everything that can be taken apart and charged me per item. They destroyed one bedroom set, two 55in color tv’s, 20 boxes, five boxes are missing, broke a brand new recliner chair. They never paid for any damage they caused. Management are crooks and liars. I will never use this company or any company called North American Van Line. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

North Amer Beltman in GA..DO NOT USE. Moved from Dahlonega Ga to NC. Broke large marble top table, propted 1/2 of table up on lawn mower, saw it when they opened truck and antique silk screen Japanese wall hanging NEVER arrived (saw it loaded)! Movers were NOT employed by the company, they were contractors. Have moved all over the WORLD (military) without this prob!! Reps are RUDE and don't give a damn, deny everything! They talk a good talk, but it NOT true..BEWARE..VERY AWARE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Used Dimon & Bacorn from North American Van lines to move from New York to Michigan. I had a tremendous amount of issues with the local movers so I called North American customer service. Tina from customer service was incredibly rude and unprofessional and refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor. I hope someone does review the taped discussions and do something about that women. I was also very disappointed that North American refused to do anything about the poor experience I had with someone working under their name, they obviously just don't care. Find another company to move with, but be careful Allied movers is under the same umbrella, so I would expect the same poor service and lack of professionalism.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! Terrible, terrible service! PRICELOCK package is a scam at best!!! We hired Lile to move our family from Vancouver, WA to Georgia. We paid a very high price tag ($27,000) and the service was the worst you can imagine! We started by not having a truck available on the days that we had spoken off when we got our quote from Renee. The packing time went from 2 days that Renee calculated to FIVE!! because they used a different crew each day of inexperience people that didn't know what they were doing, and didn't care to stick to a time schedule... and with a weekend in between.

Loading took 3 DAYS instead of 1 like they said having to sleep on the couch the second night and at a friends house the last night because they had packed my bed and couch before they realized they had run out of space in the truck and we had to wait for yet another day for a different truck and making me almost miss my flight to Georgia. My stuff arrived to destination 5 days later which would've been great if they would've bother to coordinate with the crew in Atlanta, but they didn't have a crew available so we had to spend a whole week in hotels (not just me this time but with my husband and three children that had driven here) while my stuff sat in a warehouse.

When they unloaded things started to come out damaged, broken, with no stickers so it was impossible to know at the end of a very long day if items the items in the inventory missing were really missing or not tagged and especially when we realized that they had removed items out of the truck when they realized that not everything was going to fit in the one truck but never changed their inventory!!

But the WORST was when they told us they didn't have the weight ticket that shows how much the truck weighed once loaded with our stuff. We contracted the package called PRICELOCK which meant that they charge you for certain amount of pounds that they estimate as they walk around your home telling you not to worry if they go over on their estimate because if it ends up weighing less they will refund you the difference BUT if it goes over you don't have to pay any more money. Well...after a couple of weeks of waiting to see the weight ticket to settle the refund, they informed us that THEY NEVER WEIGHED THE TRUCK. I mean they drove across the USA but not once weighed the truck?? So they have to reconstruct the weight (based on a screwed up inventory remember?) and they would let us know.

After several weeks I got an email stating that North American corporate office had come up with a magic number right around my estimated weight and when I asked to see how they had come up with that number they very rudely declined and told me they didn't have to. All I could do was to take their word that that is how much my load weighed. No questions asked!!! I tried to call anyone that I could think of, leaving messages and getting NO ANSWERS from Lile or North American. After paying more than $27,000 I feel almost scammed, as I paid a lot of money for terrible service, unprofessional and uncaring service and for a fee that they have failed to prove was due to them. Learn from my mistake! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Had a terrible experience at every turn with North American Van Lines. Don’t let them lead you to believe you should pay more because they are a “nationwide company” and that they “only use certified crews”. We paid more than some of the other companies' quotes to get “certified” and trust me, it was not the case. Neighbors Moving company from Seattle, WA handled the “estimate” which was several thousand pounds off. If you read carefully, if they are over on the estimate and it weighs less, you get a whole dollar per 100 lbs they are off! So if they overestimate (and you pay in advance based on the estimate) by 1000 lbs, you get a whole $10. Read the fine print at the bottom of the “not to exceed” estimate.

On packing day which we had said we didn’t need a lot of help with, they waste a whole day by sending a crew of 3 out to pack a few pictures, lamps and a mirror, which they grossly underfill some of which end up breaking during the transport. Then on moving day your “certified” crew arrives different from the packers and which apparently involves calling an extra person the morning of, who none of the others had met. This “certified individual” then shows up and proceeds to play and joke around, extending the move for several more hours than it should have taken.

The driver (who doesn’t work for Neighbors Moving or AVL) feels the estimate is way under at 7k lbs, thinks it's more like 10-12k, and files a protest. They then wait and do no loading work until 45 minutes are up to give the company time to get there to argue, they never show, so they load and tell me “someone will be responsible” if the weight is over the estimate. The crew then proceeds to make a “slide” out of our dish pack (Fragile this side up) boxes with the lamps, dishes, etc DOWN THE STAIRS, then SLIDE the remainder of the boxes down the boxes, bumping and tumbling along the way. I have pictures to document this. They turned our set of expensive dishes in a obvious UHAUL Dish pack box on its side and treated our stuff like garbage most of the day. The driver disassembled much more than I thought was necessary including our bicycles, a shoe rack and other small items.

Once they left, the final weight ended up around 8500 lbs. I firmly told the company that I was not going to pay anything above their “not to exceed estimate”, and paid by credit card in case there was a problem. Upon arrival, (2 days earlier than the estimate because of cancellations with bad weather which was nice) another local crew was hired to unload. They did a great job unloading and handled our things with care. The driver put our things back together in a somewhat haphazard fashion and I even had to insist several times when he had assembled a shoe rack incorrectly, he seemed annoyed that I wanted it done correctly and also wanted to not assemble other things he had taken apart. They refused to reassemble a bed that I had taken apart myself prior to their arrival because they had not taken it apart. You’re welcome apparently.

I was instructed to note damaged boxes or items on the checklist as they arrived and I noted several things that were damaged, including the leg to a nightstand broken off, another shoe rack that was broken, a wooden (particle board) file cabinet that was completely destroyed when it was lifted completely full onto a loaders back in WA, a blender, several glass pieces and dishes that were part of the “slide” and several pictures that were packed by the company in WA.

After this horrible experience overall, I was surprised to get a call from the driver a week or so after I left a review in an email at the company’s request. He was upset about the negative review and how it would affect him and was rather confrontational and unprofessional. I told him he was ultimately responsible for any actions of his crew which he blamed and said he never saw the slide, which means he was not supervising adequately.

I filed a damage report and let me tell you, DON’T BOTHER. Opt out of the insurance. If the truck caught on fire they would probably say that it was your fault and they don’t cover PBO. Read the fine print, if you pack anything it's “PBO” and “we don’t cover PBO”. Actually that is nowhere in the fine print I could find, they just tell you that afterwards. Even the items damaged that were packed by the company, because we didn’t note the boxes were damaged on the inventory and they weren’t just the items inside (you could hear the glass broken in the box) when they were unloaded they wouldn’t cover that, so despite having a 0 deductible they covered NOTHING that was damaged/broken by their negligence and denied the whole claim.

In the end we spent almost 12k to have our things mishandled, broken and be harassed by a contractor, who didn’t supervise the other contractors who treated our things like garbage. Don’t be fooled, the only thing “official” about American Van Lines is the sticker on the side of the truck. Avoid them at all costs, next time we are hiring our own local crew and loading a POD. Half the cost and none of the headaches.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

Out of the 100 wine boxes I packed I have only found 29 that were put inside huge boxes. So what happened to the other 79 wine boxes? I did not request that they rummage and tear up my boxes just to put them in giant boxes – this is not what I signed up or agreed to. The sales rep said that by me packing my own stuff I would save me packing charge money. Many of the boxes were upside down and when I opened them to unpack there was a huge mess even though I had labels right side up. Many of the ½ wardrobe sized boxes only had a couple of small items that I had originally packed in wine boxes to keep similar things and colors together.

Fuller ripped everything apart and used extra large boxes that cost me an extra $1,176.25, a total of $15,561. My grandmother’s art deco marble topped cabinet from the 1920s. There was a lot of family history to this furniture. It is 1.5” thick by 5x3 ft beveled edge marble cabinet and the cabinet doors are now scratched from Fuller movers. I paid $500 to have this piece crated, they didn't do it. So many things were smashed in their boxes, don't ever use this company.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

I did a search online for movers and arranged one. North American Van Lines called several times and I ignored it. After getting woken up at 6am by them 2 days in a row, I answered an afternoon call and asked to be removed from the list. 2 days and 6 calls later later I have blocked their number.

North American Van Lines Company Information