3.7/5 (168 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

Top North American Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

The crew was very courteous in packing everything up. The crew in Atlanta was just as professional as the CA one. My stuff was delivered within the time frame they gave me and I w...

Verified

The North American Agent in OKC was fantastic. They were on time and efficient. The guys that were packing and loading were hustling. They placed pads on all of our doorways and c...

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines is a large moving company with 500 local agents in the United States. The company handles domestic and international moves for everything from small homes to large companies. Customers who want a less stressful relocation can opt for premium services like full packing, temporary storage and furniture assembly and disassembly.

North American Van Lines cost

A two-bedroom, 700-mile summer move with North American Van Lines costs about $5,000. Smaller, local moves cost at least $600, but additional services, such as packing, increase the total price. We like that North American Van Lines provides instant quote estimates on its website. Prospective customers must enter basic information, including pickup and drop-off locations, home size and amount of belongings for transport, before seeing the estimated cost.

We requested sample moving costs from Chicago to Atlanta for a two-bedroom home. We planned the move three months in advance for a Saturday in the summer, which is peak moving season.

Estimated costs to move from Chicago to Atlanta

Amount of household itemsEstimated price range
Less than average$4,250 - $4,950
Average$4,950 - $5,600
More than average$5,700+

North American Van Lines moving services

North American Van Lines completes the following types of moves:

• Household moves: These moves are available for all residence sizes from studio apartments to multibedroom houses.
  • Corporate relocation: North American Van Lines moves companies and their employees domestically or abroad.
  • Long-distance move: The company handles cross-country and interstate moves. Plan ahead for a cheaper, smoother move. North American Van Lines includes free stretch wrapping for furniture.
  • International moving: International moving quotes are available on the company's website.

North American Van Lines includes loading and unloading services, basic liability coverage and shipment tracking free with every move. It also offers premium services that cost extra but make moving easier. These options include:

• Packing: Choose from full-service, fragile-only or partial packing assistance.
  • Temporary storage: When your move-in and move-out dates don’t align, temporary storage is a convenient solution.
  • Installation and assembly: Movers disassemble, assemble and install furniture and appliances.
  • Specialty items: Pianos, antiques and other heavy or fragile items need extra care.
  • Full valuation coverage: A step up from basic coverage, full valuation coverage offers far more protection if goods are damaged or lost during a move.

North American Van Lines FAQ

Can I track my move with North American Van Lines?
Yes. The company has a 24/7 online tracking feature.
How can I submit a claim with North American Van Lines?
Submit a claim through the company's website or by calling North American Van Lines directly.
Do I need an in-home estimate with North American Van Lines?
Yes. North American Van Lines requires an in-home estimate before giving a final quote. Its initial online estimate is just a guide, not a final calculation.
How long does an in-home estimate take?
An in-home estimate usually takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of your residence. Use this time to ask any questions you have.

Is North American Van Lines worth it?

We like that North American Van Lines handles almost any type of move from residential to commercial and domestic to international. North American Van Lines offers a pleasant, hassle-free experience for some, but it’s hard to ignore dozens of reviews that mention tardiness, broken items and general dissatisfaction. It’s crucial to note that experiences vary based on the local agent. It’s worth getting a quote from North American Van Lines, but make sure to compare it with other companies before making a final decision.

North American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

Honestly I was a little hesitant hiring this company after reading a couple of reviews about missing items. However, doing one’s own due diligence is all it takes to realize that this is an excellent enterprise. Beginning with appointment to do remote survey, to the interaction with my move consultant Anthony **, on to the moving day and delivery, the experience was smooth and very pleasant. The moving crew Jose and his son were fantastic, extremely attentive to our need and took special care loading our belongings and the delivery crew in Georgia was just as competent, professional and courteous. We are so pleased with the service provided by North American Moving Services/Hall Lane and would definitely recommend them to anyone needing moving service.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

This was my first experience with a large national moving company. North American gave us the best price for our move by quite a large margin compared to three other estimates. Overall the move went smoothly. Our Move Coordinator, Quylie **, deserves special praise. She is simply outstanding and provided great customer support from start to finish. However, our Sleep Number bed was damaged during the move, despite the fact that we paid a separate fee to have it crated and uncrated properly. As a result, we had to sleep on the couch for a week until the matter got resolved. Also, the company that was contracted to move our car was not easy to communicate with. They picked up and delivered on time, but communication with customers is not their strong point. I would suggest that North American consider using another company to move cars.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Oh my goodness!!! Where to even begin!!! The entire experience with Ward North American has been nothing short of exceptional! Our sales rep Jaden was a delight. We had several other companies give us quotes for moving, but the attitude and knowledge and forwardness of Jaden was just absolutely perfect for us. We ended up going with them the same day Jaden was out to give us a quote! From then on everything continued to excel. We were always kept updated which is exactly what we needed. A day or so before the moving day we were able to speak with the gentleman who would handle the packing and delivery of the moving items. Can I give over ten stars for that experience??

Truly Randy ** gave the best customer service experience I have ever had!! He was thorough. Nothing was left out. He was honest and answered any and all questions immediately. He was always available at any moment you needed. He was such a breath of fresh air! He was professional but at the same time very personable. He did whatever he could to try to make any situation the best it could be! He would try different approaches to make things work. It really felt like we had a family member moving us. I mean truly, if we ever move again I want him to move us! Just the overall approach he took, and how he and his team were Rockstars with packing the truck and taking very good care of our stuff.

Moving is absolutely stressful! But his attitude and bright personality just made things so much better. He took a lot of stress off which is always a positive! I honestly feel like I cannot say enough wonderful things about Randy and his team, and just the whole experience. I hope I don't move again any time soon, but I can garuntee that the next move we make will be with Ward North American and I am absolutely positively requesting Randy ** and his team! Truly, hands down, an amazing experience for such a stressful event. Thank you Randy and Jaden for such a wonderful and smooth process!! I cannot say how much I truly appreciate all of it! I definitely recommend Ward North American to anybody looking to move a good distance.

Original review: March 8, 2022

This was the first time ever using a moving company. So I was nervous. Contacted maybe too many companies, however, North American/ Class Pays was amazing. They were friendly and professional from the beginning to end. Andrew did a virtual tour of home and quoted accurately within 20 lbs of items. Pam, the logistics coordinator was always on top of everything and checking to make sure everything was alright and the drivers were doing what they are supposed to be doing. Brian, Melanie, Jade, and Keith were friendly, professional, and efficient with the loading and loading of all of our stuff. I felt our stuff was in good hands the entire time. I don’t really want to move again, but know I will at some point. I will go back with them if I can.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I was satisfied the way Beltmann group with North American Van Lines packed and shipped our furnitures and belongings from their storage facility all the way to California once we were able to moved in to our new house. My appreciation to Pete ** our agent to Maddie ** whose always there to pick up the phone or email me back with any questions and concerns. Also thank you to Sergio and his staff and to Leo and his group for. Making this interstate move a very pleasant and relaxing experience for my family. I would highly recommend this company. They’re great moving company to worked with. To all of you Thank you so much!!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Overall a good experience. The driver was on time at both ends. The crew that loaded was pretty good but could have taken more care to not stack heavier items on top of others. The same for the crew that unloaded.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

Driver: Johnathan. Packer: Trevor. Experience was excellent. Very Professional. Very impressive. Excellent communication. Would recommend this team anytime. Communication with Boise AirVan office also clear and professional. Firms that Air/Van hired to crate and then ingrate artwork did an excellent job with no damage or issues. Would select North American when next moving. Price seemed reasonable and fair. Thermals arranged for auto transport which worked out perfectly.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

Job was Done as promised. The scheduled packing took some doing to accomplish, but it got done just in time for the loading to take place. The long distance driver did a good job delivering right on schedule. Overall I would give the experience a B+.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

The service was on-time, careful, and thorough. Both the loading time and the unloading time happened as scheduled. There were no delays. The members of the loading crew and the unloading crew were careful in handling all items. They made sure everything was loading and unloaded.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

Complete fiasco from North American Van Lines out of Loveland Colorado. Darlene the coordinator has not been much help and the GM Scott is unwilling to return phone calls. Two weeks after a late deliveryI still have unassembled box spring, mattress, two sofas that are not usable or assembled, an electric recliner without a power pack they lost, broken lamp, broken BBQ grill. All I get from them is file a claim, that's going well as I have had a house with unusable items for two weeks. I'll keep you posted on the claim, customer service and what they promise does not happen.

North American Van Lines Company Information