1.14/5
Based on 184 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

229 North American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

3 months ago I called 3 companies to move our furniture and belongings from FL to NC, I chose A-Turner Moving & Storage Company which is an affiliate of North American Van Lines. Jeff ** gave me a quote of estimate of over $3500. When the actual cost is over $5,500. They gave me a 10 day spread as to when everything would be delivered (July 21-Aug,1). It is now Aug. 4 and no guarantee as to when the delivery will take place except it may be Aug. 9. North American claims there is a shortage of drivers. Why wasn't I told of that in the very beginning? They are very irresponsible.

When I asked Bria to transfer to Supervisor she gave me the next team of command person (Linda) which could not help me. They agreed to pay for my hotel of up to $100 per night and only 50% of restaurant food only which I need to fill out a form with copies of receipts from Aug. 1. My husband and I are in our upper 70s and have a handicap adult daughter and our small dog all cooped up in a one room hotel. We are in dire need of our medical equipment which is still in storage at A-Turner Moving & Storage in Gainesville, NC. I have told them that many times and they do not care. This is the poorest services I have ever had. PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER THIS COMPANY FOR MOVING.

Original review: July 6, 2018

These people mishandled my out of state move from start to finish. They changed the pickup date on me, showed up with a truck incapable of loading my 2 motorcycles and then took forever to arrive. The worst part is they damaged one of my motorcycles and would not cover the damage. Stay away from them and by NO means should you let them handle your car or motorcycle. The claims company they use is a scam.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with any moving company. I have used several in my career and business with North American Van Lines was a disaster. Moving from Kansas to Texas, The packers left so much incomplete, we ended packing many items ourselves, including utensils. The following day it took 12 hours to load the truck, which by earlier estimates should have taken about 6. One guy quit, another was sick and throwing up... The truck driver was an absolute disappointment, who did not know how to use a gps and find his way to either location!!! We had two guys at the Texas location that did a great job, in spite of the truck driver, who they had to go find. Parts were missing on the dining room table, we had to buy nuts and put the item together. I can go on and on, but it is too much to type. I will never use this company again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We hired Ward North American moving company for our relocation from San Antonio to Phoenix. We would like to warn everyone not to hire this company for their house move or relocation. We had a horrible experience. Lots of our stuff was damaged in the transit, staff was very rude and mostly clueless. They did not even bother to notify us when they could not deliver on the promised date. We had to keep calling them to figure out where our stuff was. We now feel that we should have looked at all of their negative reviews before hiring the incompetent North American Moving company. So do your homework and due diligence hiring any movers. They were very expensive, and we thought it would be smooth and professional move as promised, but it was the opposite.

We have moved many times before but never had such a bad experience and poor customer service (previous moves were through employers). Packing was horrible and done by inexperienced staff. They did not protect the heavy furniture. They reimbursed us after several months for small broken items but not for the dining table. They are saying they are not liable for the crack as it is weather related, even though it cracked during the move. They even sold us insurance and still will not reimburse us. People who came to deliver the stuff were shocked to see how the stuff was packed and handled. All the boxes were damaged and torn. We have photos to show their packing and how they handled our stuff. If you see North American Moving company, run in the opposite direction as fast as you can.

Still not convinced, here are top 10 reasons for avoiding North American Moving Company's moving and relocation services: Poor and rude customer service, Late delivery and no notification, poor packing and handling of your prized possessions, damaged items, no accountability of the damages (though you will get very creative excuses), big delays in processing your claim (person told me that there is big delay to be fair to all customers - meaning that the justification is that they mistreat everyone.), expensive, unprofessional staff (they will hire 3rd party contractors and hourly people and send them for your move), lots of headache in dealing with them and did I already say what a nightmare? Good luck with your move.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We used NA Van Lines in March 2017 for a move from Milwaukee WI to Mpls, MN. They were our worst movers. We packed our own boxes and wrapped each item very well and packed very well and still ended up with boxes of broken items, they had to be thrown on the truck to break my fiesta stoneware dishes! They were very dishonest and also STOLE our $200 extension ladder, a yellow gold diamond and tanzanite ring from us. We put in a claim and after 2 months were refunded sixteen dollars!!! Our dining room chairs were cracked in half and our maple bedroom furniture had huge chips broken off! I will never use them again and never recommend them to anyone!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: April 13, 2018

They forgot about us and refused to refund Thousands. Also we can say about this company is that is the one of the most horrible companies and we will never use or recommend to anybody. They never brought movers. They never brought packers. They outsourced to another company and they charged us thousands of dollars more for the outsourced company when they forgot about us that they lied and cheated again. We will never use this company and I will never let my company uses company can either.

And because they brought an outsourced third-party moving company they try to mark all of our furniture is damaged. They cover themselves because they knew they were damaged transferring it multiple times, and when confronting the only man they sent to the house when he did not send movers did not send packers or anything or anybody they promised. They then got became hostile and he actually threatened my wife when we asked them to leave before calling the police and then they won. Charged us money for going to the third-party contractor pizza moving that they call to my house not us.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Want to start out with I have moved cross country twice before, both times using National moving companies with no problems. I’ve done a few local moves as well, helped my children move etc., suffice it to say I am a seasoned packer, knowing what size boxes to order. Purchasing large rolls of bubble pack, dish packs, etc. In writing my review which is a very negative one, this was not my first move. I always get three bids, and I decided to go with Ferree Movers, out of Schererville IN.

On the day of my move, three men showed up, the driver, his helper, and one local man from the Ferree office as the facilitator. He was very helpful and kept things moving and organized. The driver asked to look at everything I had before he started. He immediately started complaining, and my stomach went into knots. I am a single mom, and I always know by experience this was going to be a bad day, and I realized the driver kept looking around asking where my husband was and I told him it was just me. Whenever I get asked that, it is never good, as from experience people take advantage of me, as I am a nice person by nature, and they think I’m a sucker and they think they can take advantage of me since I’m single and especially a WOMAN!!!

He started saying I had too many boxes, etc. I told him I had no idea what he meant, and this is the number of boxes I always have, and that when the estimator came out I showed him everything, and I had actually decided to leave a few pieces of furniture that were included in my move, so my load was less. He went on and on and said it was going to take up too much space. He started stressing me out all morning, as he continued to complain the entire time. I thought what I have gotten myself in to. John the facilitator told me to not worry about it, that I did not have too many boxes, and the driver was just being rude, and all was good. He said some drivers get picky about the space on their trucks. I thought as a paying customer, this should not happen, with getting berated the entire time they were loading me. I did nothing to deserve that. I had even made homemade cookies and coffee for them.

I had packed all my own boxes, and I watched them take everything out of my home and load everything into the truck, I want to be perfectly clear on this. The driver told me it would take about 2 weeks to arrive to the West Coast as he had five more families to load in different cities and then deliver their household belongings to their new homes and then he would be to me. They arrived 15 days later. When the driver came in before he started unloading, he gave me the paperwork, and told me most people don’t check every box, and there was no need to check every box, and it would take way to long, and he had to get on the road for his next trip so not to worry about it. I said ok? Hesitantly??? I was gracious as I always am and asked if they had lunch, they said no, and I went and got them lunch.

I started unpacking, with working full time I did the majority of unpacking over the next two weekends. I did start looking during the week in the evenings for the things I needed, such as: my coffee maker, dishes, towels, etc. To no avail, I could not find what I needed. I just chalked it up to the home I rented was much smaller therefore, I couldn’t get to all my things, as it was pretty cramped. I just gave up and figured when I got to those boxes I would be fine. I finished unpacking a few days ago, and I actually felt like I was in a dream, a fog, as I just walked from room to room, and in circles in my living room, talking to myself, as I thought, where is my coffee machine, where are my towels, where is my Cuisinart, where are my lamps, where is my jewelry, my makeup, paintings, and on, and on, and on.

I went to my iPad and looked up all my pictures of my home and realized all the things that were missing that were out, not in cabinets and closets. If I listed everything that is missing, stolen, it would take another two pages, and to be honest, I haven’t even been able to fully wrap my head around it yet, nor have I fully been able to finish my list of everything that is gone. The worst is, I lost my parents over 20 years ago, and a lot of their things are now gone, things that can never be replaced. I’m devasted, I feel so violated, I’m still in shock. Who would do such a thing. I had two binders of family recipes that were my mother's, grandmother's and aunt, that I will never be able to replace. I can never give these recipes to my children, much less make these recipes ever again.

I am dumbfounded. I actually realized when I unpacked a few boxes that they had been unpacked and repacked with items that I would have never packed together nor did I pack together, and even a few bins that I did not own, but in them were my items thrown in them. This is a total nightmare, and I pray this never happens to anyone else. I called Ferree Movers the very next morning, and spoke with Tom **, the owner, and he was very callous, and told me, to call the 1-800 number to North American Van Lines, it is an automated number and it will tell me to go to their website and to fill out the Domestic Claims Forms. I told him I had already looked into that last night, and that form is for each individual item that is missing, and it’s going to take me hours and hours I do not have to fill everything out. And what do I get back? .60 cents on the pound, that doesn’t even cover anything… (It’s a joke.) He could have cared less.

I replied with, "That’s it." He said, "Yep." I was in even more shock, that he didn’t care, nor wanted to spend any more time with me on the phone than necessary. He did ask me did I open up all the boxes, I wanted to scream, as I told him if I hadn’t of opened all the boxes I wouldn’t be calling. And that anything of value was missing. He could have cared less. What kind of business is this? They say they have been in business since 1929, and are a full service moving specialists, and professional. They say we have a professional driver development program that puts Ferree Movers drivers through a detailed qualification process, including hands-on safety and customer service training. Our drivers are respectful of both you and your possession.

None of this was to be true in my move, from the day they loaded me to now. The lack of professionalism, the lack of respect, the asking me if I had unpacked everything? I am not missing an item or two, or a box or two. I am missing all my high-ticket items of my entire home, paintings, dishes, cooking gadgets, my Nespresso machine, medicine, makeup, all my jewelry, my perfume bottles, my Christmas presents from my family, my birthday presents, etc., etc. I have gone to the police two nights ago and have filed a police report. DO NOT USE FERREE MOVERS… DO NOT, UNLESS YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR THINGS…

Original review: April 10, 2018

I didn't even use North American Van Lines but I can tell you, I never will. When I came home from work last night, there was a North American truck blocking my driveway. They were moving things into a house 2 doors down on the other side of the street, but instead of being parked in front of THAT house, they were parked in front of mine. My mother (who is 72 years old) told me that she went outside to ask the driver to move his truck before I got home so I could get into my driveway. The driver told my mother "** YOU", then flipped her off. They did NOT move their truck. I went out about an hour later and was told they only had 5 more items to move. The truck was there for another 3 hours. My mother, of course, called the company to complain about the rudeness and unprofessionalism of their workers towards a senior citizen and me as a homeowner. She has yet to receive a response. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

After choosing North American Van Lines for my move from WA to CA, I had signed a contract clearly explaining that charges would NOT exceed a certain $ amount. If anything, the charges might be lower due to final weight. I ended up paying an additional $789.81 for a shuttle truck due to the driver's lack of ability to back up the North American truck into the proper loading slot. Large semi's back in frequently for people who move in and out of the same complex. Even large semi service trucks cater to area restaurants and do just fine with parking.

I do not think it is fair that my rate was changed due to the driver refusing to do so, or lack of driving experience. This caused North American to hire a shuttle truck which was more money. Here's the kicker, sign for the shuttle fees or we will not deliver the goods! North American really ties your hands and leaves you in a bind. After all was said and done, I owed an add'l $789.91 on top of the original quote. Truly unfair and nothing more than an add-on sale. I am now hearing that this happens frequently with North American, who refuses to work with me on this issue. Moving is stressful enough and customer service goes a long way.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I moved from Tinley Park, Illinois to Houston Texas! The movers loaded my stuff I packed - took about 2 weeks. Ok. However upon arrival my things were ruined! Water damage! TV, very expensive rug, Beds and clothes, and so much more - boxes were missing. The glass to my entertainment center missing. My dining room table legs all scratched up- they received so many pictures of the damaged items when the movers were bringing the stuff in! Just a complete mess! And did a claim and they gave me $264 bucks - this is supposed to be a brand name. I don’t think so- for what I paid $3000 bucks I would have felt better going with a smaller company that cares more! Horrible Experience!

Original review: March 10, 2018

These comments are in two parts... One sent to reimbursement damage claim and the second for delay in delivery claim. #1. August 11, 2017. Attn: North American Van Lines, Customer Service Dept. RE: ** – Claim for delay in delivery. Upon receiving my quote for our relocation from Dan ** and discussing the pick-up and delivery date I felt comfortable with using NAVL as our mover. Dan informed me on the date of the walkthrough that there may be a “three day window of delivery, 7/31-8/2, but we’ll work closely with you to ensure the date of 7/31”. I received confirmation of the pick-up date of 7/27 from Angie ** and date of delivery for 7/31/17. Since I was starting a new job on 8/1 this delivery date was very critical for me. I took the necessary steps to secure hotel accommodations on 7/31 just in case of any delays.

I called and emailed Hoover The Mover on the morning of 7/31 (notice that I called Hoover The Mover, not them notifying me) for an approximate delivery time. I was informed that not only that our belongings were not being delivered on 7/31 (as stated in writing), but the delay was going to be a week! Our new delivery date had been set for 8/7/17.

I had to find new accommodations, hotel room, since I was only booked through 7/31/17. Due to a music festival in Allentown/Bethlehem, finding a hotel room was not an easy task. Once we found a suitable hotel to stay I was informed by Tad ** of the need to be compensated for our additional costs for hotel/meals for this very long delay. Please note his response included; “the driver being filled out” (don’t know what that means or do I care), “Since I had to supply the crew to pick your goods and bring them back to our warehouse, I am already in the hole in this process. I have no ability to compensate you for the additional days will have in the hotel”.

Again, a delay of this length, and not of my doing and, is far from my concern about Hoover The Mover’s expenses to “warehouse” my belongings. These explanations are not only unsatisfactory, but lack the professionalism I expected from a ‘National’ moving company was as well. In addition I was also informed that North American Van Lines would only reimburse me for two days and 50% of my meal expenses gave me with a sense of being treated unfairly or with respect and concern.

Move-in day, 8/7; the driver and crew were joined by an adolescent boy who was bringing some of our belongings into our home! He was observed by my wife dragging an expensive and ornate coat rack along the ground (which was wet and muddy due to the raining conditions of the day)! When my wife asked the driver who the person was/is he told her it was his son. She asked for the driver to stop allowing his son to transport our belongings, but also to keep him clear of the other movers and out of our home (we did contact Hoover The Mover to inform them of this intolerable situation and they ensured us that they will contact the driver to inform him the child is not part of the crew). That lasted about an hour when the child was seen bringing additional belongings into the house. That was after he was outside jumping in puddles.

As if this weren’t enough and to make matters even worse… When the driver received our certified check for $5556.76, which Christina ** – Hoover The Mover seemed more concerned about than the status of the move, the driver (truck) hit the power line to the property! The power was out for 48 hours and affected 3 properties. We now have a house of belongings that we could not properly itemize and/or check for further damage and couldn’t reside in our home due to the downed power line. Add that to having to book two additional nights in a hotel... Again! Additional hotel stays now totaling 8 nights. We also have filled out a ‘Loss and Damaged’ form for several items, our furniture in particular, was severely damaged and two items didn’t make it because it was “destroyed” (per the driver's words) in shipment.

This has been a horrible experience and I expect to speak with a manager regarding this matter. I contracted with Hoover The Mover/North American Van Lines for relocation with specifics dates and received in writing that my belongings would be delivery on the date agreed. Did was not done… For this reason I expect FULL compensation for my hotel costs and meals from 8/1 through 8/8/17.

#2. On July 27 movers arrived. Packed 1st truck tightly but had to wait 3 hours for second truck. We received written confirmation that our belongings would be delivered on 7/31. Which was in the 5 day delivery window. Were notified Monday 7/31 the written date of delivery, that our belongings would not reach us until August 7th. When the movers did arrive we realized the driver's young son was bringing in to our house some of our items. The movers dropped a piece of our furniture right in front of the house on the sidewalk and heavily damaged it. (I witnessed this). Some of the movers were working hard but needed a lot of direction as to where to place things. Other movers did a very sloppy job moving things into our house. The driver's son was outside jumping in puddles and then would come into the house.

Many of our boxes marked fragile are busted and there is damage to many items. We took photographs of the damaged items for verification as they were brought into the house. My Husband began new job on August 1 reason for 7/31 written confirmation of delivery. Although we anticipated the possibility of a one day late arrival, we booked a hotel for 7/31. Latest move in date 8/1. Due to local events hotels were booked and had to find suitable hotel that we were not anticipating to pay for. We had to stay in a hotel for 7 additional days and pay for our meals. To make matters worse the driver tore down the power lines with his truck upon leaving the property and caused the power to be out for 48 hours keeping us once again in a hotel for 2 more days.

Through many moves in our lifetime this has been by far the worst moving nightmare we have ever experienced. I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and the undue stress this burden has put upon me has been extreme and difficult, as well as the financial burden we have suffered from this move. We expect full and complete refund of hotels/meals (10 days) and compensation for our lost and damaged belongings.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Our move was in August 2017 and we are STILL finding nicks, scratches, and gouges on our furniture, plus when unpacking, we found several broken items that we had packed very securely. In fact, they broke a piece off a lamp so there's no way to screw in a light bulb and we have no idea who might be able to repair it. They also put a gouge in the doorway when attempting to move a rather bulky piece of furniture. After discovering this, they decided there might be a better way. Duh!

The day of moving was chaos, but I won't even go into that. I contacted them about all this and all they did was send a form to be filled out... and part of what we were required to do is get the repairs done OURSELVES (!) and send them the bill. Years ago when I moved and used a local company, all I did was place a call and they immediately replaced the couple of things that had been broken. No questions asked. I wish this option had been available to me this time! The bottom line is DO NOT EVER call North American Van Lines when you need a mover!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Very disappointed with the service of North American and Allied Van Lines in our recent move. They missed five delivery times-some of which they admitted knowing they mis-scheduled and did not tell us. We have missing boxes, missing furniture parts, and damaged furniture. The driver finally showed up with broken ribs so we had to help unload so it could be done that day (corporate blamed me for not stopping and calling them about the driver- after I waited four days for my belongings). The van was so poorly pack that boxes were falling on the driver. They did not rebuild furniture that they took apart. My table legs finally showed up 2 1/2 weeks later- they missed two delivery deadlines for the legs after they found them. I had to fight to get a hotel room paid for that was incurred because they did not notify us of the delay.

They refuse to pay for my lost wages due to taking time off work when my furniture finally arrived and for meeting the claims persons. Corporate won't talk to you but handles everything through email and eventually said it was my fault and the fault of the local move coordinator. Another very interesting thing is that the weight of the load came out to be exactly the weight of the "guaranteed not to exceed" cost. They said that every so often they estimate the weight exactly. I can not recommend North American or Allied Van Lines or A-1 Freeman moving and storage. The service was not worth the amount they charged and would not consider a reduction in fees. Instead they offered me a dinner card for my troubles and said they will learn from my experience. I am very frustrated with the level of stress they added to an already stressful move.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I was charged over $3000, to have my belonging shipped from San Francisco to Boston. It took several months! Plus an extra $700 fee that the company added after the fact, and still with my belongings half thru transit. I had only wanted to belongings of my late mom and her mom. They both died right after another and I was given all their worldly possession I saw fit to keep. I had boxed everything. The crew complained they could box things better and did without my permission, and after I told them not to re-box anything.

I was already in Boston, my things in route. By the time my stuff arrived, I was missing everything from clothes to bow and arrows. My grandmother's old antique furniture had been dismantled as if someone was looking for secret compartments. Broken glass filled my boxes, missing portraits, damaged portraits, it's taking me 3 months to think about.

Christmas remnants gone! Papers rummaged through. Jewelry gone. To top it off, I was given items that did not belong to me, like a vacuum, trash bin, etc. I cried sooo hard and so many days. I even blamed my adult kids who talked me into moving close to them. I contacted the moving company and was not even given an apology. I am estimating $20,000 in loses. For an overpriced band of thieves.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

North American Van Lines owns Allied and apparently is the responsible party to any complaint people have with Allied. I have been dealing with their claims department for the past month about a missing box and a broken mirror frame. Although the box was found, it had been opened and items were missing, as well as a musical statuette shattered beyond repair. To this date, I have not received any assistance from NAVL toward repairing my broken Federalist mirror frame, which had been wrapped in two thin sheets of paper and placed in an unpadded box with a 30 lb. sign. The frame had been ground, including the gilded eagle's beak and other areas, and several of the pieced broken off. NAVL is now insisting I spend money of my own to have it appraised. So I guess I am to pay for the "privilege" of NAVL accepting responsibility for its negligence. Unacceptable!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I had hired North American Van Lines for my move from Davenport, IA to Montross, VA in August 2017. The experience was painful. I set up the move according to agent in Davenport, IA. I agreed to the delivery date timeframe. As the date approached, I waited on contact from the movers/agent, then when they did not contact me I call the agent. He said the shipment was delayed because there wasn't enough to fill a truck. I paid $4500 to get the shipment delivered and took off days to only find out the shipment wouldn't arrive until I was out of town on travel. Then, I was contacted at 8 PM the day before my oversea travel by a driver telling me he could only deliver on a specific day.

So I told him the delivery need to be a day earlier, he said that he would make arrangement with his supervisors (dispatch) to reschedule. However, the end result were that they said I refused the shipment, they have it to another shipper and I was charged an additional $1200.00. The shipment was still within the designated timeframe. When following up with the North American Van Lines corporate and the agent in Davenport, IA, they both said it was up to the other part to correct the issue. Then North American Van Lines corporate said it was my mix-up and there was nothing they could do. So, I know I will never use them again and do not recommend anyone using them.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

North American Van Lines moved us from East Longmeadow, Massachusetts to North Port, Florida in May of 2017. It’s been over six months, and when I remember the move, I still have an awful feeling. It was upon my suggestion that my husband and I met with our local North American Sales Manager from Sterling Moving and Storage. I thought the company would be a notch above the other long distance move carriers, and the sales manager did a good job of selling the company. The North American brochures promised “Quality: A Higher Standard - Going the extra mile to provide the best possible moving experience.” I expected the promised exceptional service - close communication, caring, and graciousness. We were sold, but now, as I look back on our move, I know that we were duped.

Our moving experience was the worst long distance move of our previous six long distance moves. Although we are now settled in our new home, I still can’t get over it. I continue to find many new small dents and chips all over our furniture. The communication with our local contact and with our driver was horrible. Our contract gave a wide range of delivery dates. We asked our local contact for a more specific date, but he didn’t know. He reassured us our goods would arrive within the dates on the contract because the company was obligated to meet the contract time frame. As we approached the later of these dates, again we contacted the local office to find out the date of delivery. Again our contact replied that he did not know, but he said he would ask the truck driver to contact us with the date. Finally with no word from the truck driver, we called the national office. No one could tell us when the truck would arrive.

Finally, the driver called to let us know he would bring our load on the day after the last contract date. It was an incredibly frustrating, aggravating experience. Our load was packed into a truck with several other long distance deliveries. My husband clearly admonished the movers to be careful of our living room coffee table which has a very fragile wood base. When the truck was unloaded, he saw it crammed in with the rest of our furniture. The wooden base was twisted and broken, heartbreaking to see. Our high end bicycles were taken apart and delivered to us in pieces.

Box Number 1 was not delivered and never found. It contained the hardware for our master bed frame, the decorative key for our living room buffet, and the hardware for another bedroom mirror. The day our load arrived, the movers were unable to set up our king master bed. They left its mattress and two box springs standing in the master bedroom with the bed frame scattered in pieces on the floor. What a fiasco! The truck driver apologized, but off he went with his crew – the master bed in disarray, and our bicycles in pieces in the garage.

Without an operational bed, my husband was frantic. He immediately called the claims department and was simply told to file a claim. After a heated telephone exchange with my husband, the claims person agreed to contact a local repair person to try to arrange for immediate help. In the meantime, my husband found temporary hardware (after an exhaustive search) at Home Depot to put the bed together. Later the following week, the local repair person ordered the needed permanent hardware and put the bed together.

Our claims experience was dismal as well. We filed a claim, but our North American contact was confused and unresponsive. Had we not called and complained, our bicycles might still be in pieces in our garage. My husband was handling the claim but became totally disgusted with his Email messages and telephone treatment. A month later I told him I’d call to try to get our bicycles assembled before our granddaughter came to visit. My husband was so irate that I was worried about his blood pressure spiking if he dealt with the North American claims representative one more time.

Throughout the entire frustrating process, most North American employees took no responsibility. No one was accountable. Most of our calls were met with a “That’s not my area.” response, or “There’s nothing I can do.” We were incredulous. The one bright spot in the whole process was the local repair person. He was kind and completed our reported repairs in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, the careless treatment of our furniture left many issues - small nicks and scratches. And the key the local repair person fashioned for our buffet was not as aesthetically pleasing as the original key. I would never recommend North American Movers. A discount mover would be far more careful and competent than this company. Our experience with North American Movers was abysmal. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

The North American Agent in OKC was fantastic. They were on time and efficient. The guys that were packing and loading were hustling. They placed pads on all of our doorways and corners, and they wrapped all of our furniture. When they arrived in Chicago they called to change the timeline because of traffic outside of Chicago.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We signed with this mover because the company was the most reasonable price wise. We should have chosen another van line. I was always initiating the process and they have changed employees in the process. It's impossible to get straight answers from them. They did not deliver several of our items and cannot even find them in their warehouse. How do they sleep with a clear conscience knowing that they employ negligent people. We have relocated seven times and never experienced anything like this.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I wish I would have read these reviews before I agreed to hire North American Van Lines for my move. Everything you read in these reviews is true. Our estimate was $7100 for a move from Oregon to Texas. Final bill was $10500. And they held our stuff hostage until the whole bill was paid. The truck was 7 hours late with no communication that I didn’t initiate myself. They think led me that my weight was way over the estimate and that I must have added stuff. And then I found out that the estimate didn’t include items that were clearly in our house when we did the walkthrough. I made the mistake of trusting that the estimate of items was accurate. What a joke. I'm now fighting with them to get $1000 back for a shuttle charge for a shuttle that I never used. Please, do not use these folks! And please don’t use their local company Moda Moving out of Portland Oregon or Seattle. They are sad co-conspirators in the whole operation.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I had a contract with North American, pre-paid, for 10,000 lb move out of state. My 2 movers arrived an hour late, in a Ford F-150, stating their "75 ft truck" wouldn't fit in our community. They wanted to look around at items to move... After 5 minutes & a few questions, they said they had to figure out getting the truck. I had almost every single thing already boxed... I expected a professional move, blankets, dollies, men to move items.

An hour later their representative called to "get the other side of the story" according to the driver, we had "too nice of things" he didn't feel he could move, felt too rushed and didn't expect to have to "pack" anything... Really? I flew in to prepare for this move from TEXAS TO NEVADA. I paid for 10,000lbs and am stuck with NO MOVERS. At the best they could send someone out next week to "pack me". I've never been so shocked about anything, ever as much as this. Now what? I am demanding a full refund and will let everyone I know DO NOT HIRE NORTH AMERICAN VAN LINES.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

We hired North American Van Lines to move us from Ohio to FL in May. We agreed on a price and date, they showed up to move us on time but had already loaded another home first. They were able to close the door but did not have room for the next home they were to load on the same truck. We were the last house on the truck and the first house off and it took them 7 days to drive to FL. When they arrived, they started unloading boxes faster than I could find the box on the paper. Unloaded and then informed me the price had jumped $2500 more because they had misquoted me. I had several pieces broken and boxes lost. The adjuster was suppose to call me from my area and I waited and waited and then got called saying I had not called back after they left messages for me. They never left one message let along days of messages.

When they finally did show up, they denied all my missing boxes and broken pieces after we had paid for full replacement value on all our belongings. They said everything was accounted for and the broken pieces were not their problem or responsibility. The only thing they fixed was my broken China hutch door handle. The person they sent to do estimate was either unskilled or had no idea how much our furniture weighed or they just lied and said we owed them $9000 instead of $6500. I complained to the person who did the investigation that this was their fault and she basically laughed at me and said "we are not paying you for the crushed Tiffany lamp, Waterford crystal pieces, your Nook, or any of the lost sunglasses in the lost boxes." DO NOT USE EITHER COMPANY, we signed with North American but Allied showed up.

They ripped us off and now I'm sure the two men driving the truck stole our boxes that were clearly marked with items inside that would be easy to resell and had no careful care of the boxes marked "FRAGILE PUT ON TOP, DO NOT STACK BOXES ON TOP". You will get ripped and your stuff will be stolen or broken with no recourse and if Candi is your investigator you will be lied to about her contacting you in a timely manner, it will be your fault even after she found out she had the wrong phone numbers. This was the worst experience of my life!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! This move was a disaster from the very beginning. The driver and crew arrived on time, the only problem was that one of the crew was a female that was worthless. The driver came in and walked around and then turned around and went back out. I figured he was going to position the truck to start loading it. WRONG! About a half hour later I received a call from the representative who gave me the original quote. She asked me if I added anything and said the driver told her nothing was packed. I had packed EVERYTHING except last minute items. He told her I had over 3,000lbs more than was estimated and that nothing was packed. She said she would be there in an hour.

It was over 2 hours later she showed up, re-did the estimate and came up with the same thing. Everything was indeed packed except for my glass top table and marble top to my end tables. I was never told those had to be crated. The driver was worthless... He didn't lift a finger. The female smashed her finger and they finally got someone else in about 2:00 to help. They were there for 12 hours loading me! I didn't have a big load, I was moving from a 3,300sf home to a 1,300sf home and had given away my desks, a kings size bed, couch, chair, ottoman, coffee table and more! My load was about 4,600lbs and cost me over $5,000.00!

When they delivered in Florida, the driver wanted his money before he would take anything off the truck. That should have raised a red flag. They were bringing things in faster than I could keep up with them. After they left, they came back twice with things they hadn't unloaded. A crystal chandelier for one thing. Once I got through everything I noticed things were missing. A House of Waterford crystal bowl for one thing ($1,300.00) and at least 2 boxes... One from the garage (had my hammers in it) and one from the kitchen (had all the items I was using up until move day).

I submitted a claim and just received my denial. I called but they would not budge... "You signed off on the paperwork that you received everything." DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They are incompetent and crooks! I have moved many, many, many times... Twice across country, interstate as well as locally. Never have I ever had a move as bad as this one or been treated like a lackey as this company treats you. AGAIN... DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

Well my furniture was supposed to be delivered between the 23rd and 28th of Aug. It has been rescheduled several times and now maybe the 9th of Sep. told me contracts are not binding even though it says binding on the contract. Offered to pay partial hotel costs. Big deal. I can't afford the rest of the hotel costs. We are in our 60s and sleeping on an air mattress gets old pretty fast. Do not use this company!!! They do not stand by what they promote.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I wish I had read the reviews before signing a contract with them. I wish I had just let them keep the $200 deposit and walked away from the contract. After reading the reviews, I see that there are numerous issues with this company, including what I experienced. I gave a detailed list of what I had to move. I had given away all of my bedroom furniture and most of my living room furniture. So I expected the cost of my move back to Ohio from Florida to be less than what it was when I moved down the preceding year. The initial estimate was $1899. I asked why the estimate was so low, and Grant, the sales agent I talked to in southwest Florida told me that it was because they had extra space on the truck and with such a small load, they just wanted to fill the truck. I questioned him again and was assured it was because they just wanted to fill the empty space.

When the movers arrived to load the truck, they collected my 60% of that payment, then proceed to tell me that I had way more cubic feet than what was estimated... Twice as much, so that the cost was another $1900. Mind you, they had already collected a significant payment and had two other people packing up my belongings. Many of the items I gave for the estimate were not on the estimate the driver brought with him. None the less, I still didn't have twice as much boxes and furniture to move than what I had originally told them. I feel like I was deliberately lied to about the initial estimate just to get the contract. In the end, the final cost was probably comparable to other moving companies... It was the unprofessional, sneaky way they went about it.

When NAVL arrived with my belongings, many of my carefully packed boxes were crushed, plastic bins crushed, floor lamps bent, tape residue on all furniture. I am still sorting through it all. Of course, they wouldn't even complete the job until I paid them the balance due with cash or postal money BEFORE they unload the truck, so you have no leverage. Miserable and frustrating! It was the worst moving experience I have every had. DO NOT USE North American Van Lines!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

If you like guessing where to find items, and like putting things back together, then go ahead and use Ward. At first, movers in Illinois seemed very efficient. They condensed moving from 4 days down to 3, saying it was too costly for them to go the 4 days we were quoted. They packed 2 days, loaded the 3rd. I even bought each guy a case of beer at the end, because it was hot and they seemed hard working. Boy what a mistake. I had packed my china and kitchen stuff to declutter for realtor and sell china cabinet (I am a chef and have a lot of kitchen items and electrics) before knowing they pack for you. I knew they had to repack, and it went downhill from there.

I had all boxes labeled on all 4 sides with room and exact items inside. They separated all my items, put them in new boxes, and labeled them all misc garage (because they were stored in garage, but not garage items), not kitchen, living room etc. Add to that the fact they separated all my items that were together - like my china was now in at least 8-10 different boxes, with dirty garage items packed on top. Outdoor speakers, outdoor dirty garden shovels, gloves and other dirty items were packed in same boxes with china, dishes, food items, pots and pans and spices. My spices in glass bottles were thrown on top of 4 different boxes, unwrapped, while my unbreakable plastic cups were wrapped individually in 4 to 6 pieces of wrap each. There were many glass fragile items just placed randomly unwrapped, while other non-breakable items were overwrapped.

All tables, shelves, baker's racks, beds, and such were all disassembled by both movers and 3rd party to make room on truck. My son's bed was irreparably damaged. My kitchen table and bedroom set were missing all the hardware, so they had to go buy it from a hardware store to reassemble. I asked the Florida movers to reassemble all my shelves and they took apart in Illinois, and they said it wasn't their responsibility. The third party also said it wasn't the responsibility but eventually received confirmation to be able to put them back together after waiting 2 hours. My kitchen refrigerator which is not even a year old (was $2300) is missing parts and the doors are crooked, even though they took the doors off and stored them separately, the hardware was missing. Additionally when they brought my refrigerator in the entire interior was covered in black mold. I had to clean everything with mass amounts of bleach.

I am still unloading boxes, and have to go through every box in the garage to try to find the rest of my China and the rest of my kitchen products and electrics, because they did not reliably label the boxes with kitchen on them - they all say miscellaneous garage. Additionally they reused the boxes that I had packed with different items in them and never changed the writing on them. So I think I'm opening kitchen items and it is Garage items, shed items, among other things. We did not have a choice with this mover as it was paid for through my husband's employer. They have caused so much extra stress and extra work for us, and I am just frustrated with the irresponsible packing.

Upon waiting for the truck to arrive in Florida for delivery, the movers were four hours late because no one had loaded the truck for them in the morning. By the end of the day they just started dumping all the boxes in my garage so that they could get out in a more timely manner. These guys packing in Illinois seriously must have had no common sense, as I was just totally grossed out finding garage and shed items mixed in with my dishes and food products. My husband's tools were packed with my pots, pans, and china. My coffee roaster and espresso maker were labeled garage tools.

It took one week to find my underwear and intimates, because it was labeled garage. It is almost like they repacked my Kitchen products in a box and decided to fill the rest of the room on top with whatever they could put in there. When they found my pre-packed boxes of kitchen items they should have kept those similar items together. Kitchen stuff with kitchen stuff, garage with garage, tools with tools, etc. Not these guys. Outdoor security cameras were on top of fragile china.

I would NEVER recommend this company unless you enjoy additional stress and guessing where to find your stuff in very poorly labeled boxes. I now have to go through every single box, including things that were meant to just be stored, to find all my missing items. The one star is for the astronomical wasteful amount of paper they used to pack around many things to keep them from breaking. This has been an awful ordeal, and we are not even halfway unloaded.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

North American moving company is the worst moving company I have dealt with. I am a professional, and have lived all over the world. North American was very dishonest, I have some missing furniture, and the delivery day was 30 days late! They caused a great inconvenience to me and the company I work for in Montana. I would never use or recommend them to anyone in the world.

Original review: July 15, 2017

This is our family's 2nd bad experience with NA Van Lines and their agent, BF Fields out of Erie, PA. They can't keep their commitment and when you try and get customer service to get you a remedy, compensation, you get told they are not obligated to do so but will give you a goodwill gesture! Unbelievable experience and trying to get resolution. They promise excellent service, etc but when I tried to get resolution all I got was - see our 1x Pledge, read the mover's rights doc, go to the Tariff NAVL website, etc.

Interesting that they don't tell you right up front that if they're late on delivering you aren't entitled to get some type of reasonable compensation. Their pledge first doc states you will but then there are all these notes that I guess overrule it! It's unfortunate that this is the practice of this company and its agent. The customer service manager wouldn't even call to discuss! Wouldn't recommend to anyone based on their record with us of poor performance and poor customer service!

Original review: July 6, 2017

I guess I should have read the reviews of this company before agreeing to have them provide state to state moving services. Bad on me. To begin with, the driver and packers employed by World Wide Moving Systems of Longmont, CO. were to arrive on a Friday, but called on the preceding Wednesday to ask that they arrive on Thursday and at least get started, which we agreed to and they did. Upon arrival, the truck already had a load on which was destined for Santa Fe, N.M.. We asked whether there would be sufficient room for our +/-13,000 lbs. We were told that there would be no problem. They came back Friday A.M. to finish loading and we again asked about the sufficiency of space - no problem - then about 10 A.M. the driver allegedly called for another truck, in fact he stated he had called twice and none was available. Long story short, there was not enough room. Some very expensive items were tied on the back of the van.

I questioned this procedure and was told, again, no problem. The problem was that one very expensive mid-century modern extruded aluminum table base had to be put in the sleeper cab. There was not enough room for wheel barrow, wood and metal outdoor bench, various garden tools, vacuum... These items had to be left behind and could not be recovered because of contractual matters with the new owners.

When the movers reached the destination and began the unloading, there were only 2 men. According to the driver they tried to get another, but he never showed. In the process of unloading, the aluminum table base was destroyed. A heavy box from above fell on it and broke it in half. An antique oak end table was deeply gouged, picture boxes were destroyed, plastic totes were broken, etc. Although practically all the boxes were marked as to what room they were to be taken into, all the boxes, save a very few, were just stacked in rows in the 3 car garage and left there. The outside temperature was only 110 degrees. Some of the furniture did make it into the proper rooms.

I feel the driver and loader were not doing a professional job. I feel they were too interested in making as much money as they could and do only what they absolutely had to do. And I honestly believe that the original bill of loading was falsified. No notes were made as each piece was loaded all the notations were made ex-post-facto and were many lines of duplication. All in all, we should have had two gorillas and a truck move us.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I just thought you might like to know how my moving experience went. Not that anyone seems to care. My stuff was supposed to be packed on a Thursday and loaded on a Friday. The movers showed up on Wednesday, unannounced. With their early arrival, I was unable to put aside things like work clothes, basic kitchen supplies, and the dog kennel. My stuff was then loaded on Thursday. Everything was supposed to arrive that following Tuesday. It didn't. Instead, I get a phone call stating that it will be that Friday instead. That wasn't a big deal. I could make it until Friday because I was at least able to pack 10 days worth of clothes. I then get a call on Thursday stating that the driver has "refused" to take my items and that they are now looking for a new driver. They didn't find a driver until Tuesday.

At this point, my stuff is still sitting in Missouri and I'm in South Carolina with nothing but an air mattress, a pan, 10 days worth of clothes, and a roll of toilet paper. My items are then loaded onto the new driver's truck on Tuesday (I've now gone just over two weeks without my stuff) and is expected to be here by Friday. Since my stuff was supposed to be here no later than the day they loaded my stuff onto the new truck, they were will to give me an "inconvenience pay" of a whopping $100, because that's going to solve all my problems. I then get a call on Thursday - the three week marker, and they tell me that they've spoken to the driver and that they were wondering if it would be acceptable if my stuff is delivered between the 5th and 7th of July (making it just over 3 weeks without anything).

I told them that was unacceptable. I need my items. I need interview clothes. I need a way to lock my dog up so I can leave the house so I can actually go to interviews. I cannot do any of that until I have my belongings. Apparently, that means nothing. Today is July 5th, lo and behold, my stuff has finally arrived. According to the driver/movers, my stuff was loaded, weighed, unloaded into a warehouse, loaded, driven to South Carolina, unloaded into another warehouse where it sat for SEVERAL DAYS, and then loaded onto the truck this morning, and delivered. With the stuff being moved that much, a lot of my things went missing and are damaged.

The moving guys also screwed up my walls, chipped paint, put dents in my floor. They tried to claim they didn't do any of it, but here's the catch, it's a new construction home. It was completed one week before I moved in. I'm the first one to live in it. I've been living on an air mattress. I physically have had nothing heavier than myself on these floors. Overall, I'm missing an Armour that had several hundred dollars worth of jewelry in it, I'm missing a box of clothes, I'm missing about half my bed, and I'm missing the footboard of another bed. My floors are damaged, my walls are damaged, and so is my couch, my dresser, and several other items. I can't stress how awful of an experience this has been. No one has been helpful, no one seems to care.

I've had to talk to two women, Bre - dealing with the delivery itself and Donna - dealing with the "reimbursement" of $100. They both have done nothing for me. They both keep brushing me off and they both are as useless as your drivers. I just want you all to know who is working for you. Even if they are all through different departments - State Fair Moving & Storage, SIRVA, and North American Van Lines. Every single department has been **. I want my stuff that's damaged replaced, I want my walls repaired, and I want my floors fixed, but no one seems to be capable of that and I would love to get in contact with someone who can. Thanks.

Not sure about North American Van Lines?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Moving Companies for you.

North American Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and residential moving for long-distances. With over 80 years of experience, the company is an expert on helping companies relocate throughout North America.

• Packing: North American Van Lines has extensive advance packing services to help ensure a timely move. They have a huge network of movers and many offices and trucks so that they have the bandwidth to handle more customers.

• Households: In addition to corporate moving, it offers household moving to individuals and families that are moving nationwide.

• Competitive pricing: The company is reasonably priced and offers alternatives to help keep costs down, such as flexible move times.

• Materials: The company offers customers a number of reasonably priced packing materials, such as moving kits and boxes.

• Estimates: North American will provide you with estimates for moving supplies and services in order to give you a true sense of how much your move will cost.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
    ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

North American Van Lines Company Information

www.northamerican.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business