2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

BOTTOM LINE

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

PROS
  • Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate
CONS
  • Potentially pricey

Top North American Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

The crew was very courteous in packing everything up. The crew in Atlanta was just as professional as the CA one. My stuff was delivered within the time frame they gave me and I was very pleased with the company. Overall, I will recommend them to all my friends and/or co-workers, job well done.

The North American Agent in OKC was fantastic. They were on time and efficient. The guys that were packing and loading were hustling. They placed pads on all of our doorways and corners, and they wrapped all of our furniture.

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines is a large moving company with 500 local agents in the United States. The company handles domestic and international moves for everything from small homes to large companies. Customers who want a less stressful relocation can opt for premium services like full packing, temporary storage and furniture assembly and disassembly.

North American Van Lines cost

A two-bedroom, 700-mile summer move with North American Van Lines costs about $5,000. Smaller, local moves cost at least $600, but additional services, such as packing, increase the total price. We like that North American Van Lines provides instant quote estimates on its website. Prospective customers must enter basic information, including pickup and drop-off locations, home size and amount of belongings for transport, before seeing the estimated cost.

We requested sample moving costs from Chicago to Atlanta for a two-bedroom home. We planned the move three months in advance for a Saturday in the summer, which is peak moving season.

Estimated costs to move from Chicago to Atlanta

Amount of household itemsEstimated price range
Less than average$4,250 - $4,950
Average$4,950 - $5,600
More than average$5,700+

North American Van Lines moving services

North American Van Lines completes the following types of moves:

• Household moves: These moves are available for all residence sizes from studio apartments to multibedroom houses.
  • Corporate relocation: North American Van Lines moves companies and their employees domestically or abroad.
  • Long-distance move: The company handles cross-country and interstate moves. Plan ahead for a cheaper, smoother move. North American Van Lines includes free stretch wrapping for furniture.
  • International moving: International moving quotes are available on the company's website.

North American Van Lines includes loading and unloading services, basic liability coverage and shipment tracking free with every move. It also offers premium services that cost extra but make moving easier. These options include:

• Packing: Choose from full-service, fragile-only or partial packing assistance.
  • Temporary storage: When your move-in and move-out dates don’t align, temporary storage is a convenient solution.
  • Installation and assembly: Movers disassemble, assemble and install furniture and appliances.
  • Specialty items: Pianos, antiques and other heavy or fragile items need extra care.
  • Full valuation coverage: A step up from basic coverage, full valuation coverage offers far more protection if goods are damaged or lost during a move.

North American Van Lines FAQ

Can I track my move with North American Van Lines?
Yes. The company has a 24/7 online tracking feature.
How can I submit a claim with North American Van Lines?
Submit a claim through the company's website or by calling North American Van Lines directly.
Do I need an in-home estimate with North American Van Lines?
Yes. North American Van Lines requires an in-home estimate before giving a final quote. Its initial online estimate is just a guide, not a final calculation.
How long does an in-home estimate take?
An in-home estimate usually takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of your residence. Use this time to ask any questions you have.

Is North American Van Lines worth it?

We like that North American Van Lines handles almost any type of move from residential to commercial and domestic to international. North American Van Lines offers a pleasant, hassle-free experience for some, but it’s hard to ignore dozens of reviews that mention tardiness, broken items and general dissatisfaction. It’s crucial to note that experiences vary based on the local agent. It’s worth getting a quote from North American Van Lines, but make sure to compare it with other companies before making a final decision.

North American Van Lines Reviews

Original review: April 27, 2021

Ben gave us a pretty accurate estimate & told us what we could expect from N. American. Packer was very efficient and did a good job. John, the driver, and his son were also very efficient. Everything was delivered in good condition with only one small mar on a furniture leg. Everyone was very friendly, polite, & helpful with the exception of Jennifer **, the move coordinator. Unanswered phone messages and emails was very frustrating for us since our condominium required advance notice of the move-out date. Jennifer finally gave us a date just before packers were to come & we never heard from her again. Wish we had a better communicator for our move coordinator. However, overall a good experience & we would recommend North American to others.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2021

The crew that came to help moving our four bedroom house were hard working, experienced, descent, and truly helpful. They worked nonstop, no break! They disassembled, wrapped, and took every item to intended place with care. They respected public health recommended procedures regarding covid. The truck they came with was nice, hardwood floor, clean, and good looking. The whole thing looked sleek in a new neighborhood I moved to. They had all the tools, tapes, drapes, boxes, etc. I had my own boxes from last move. It was really worth it! Moved a 4 bedroom stuffed house from 8am to 2pm!! Like a magic!

Original review: March 24, 2021

I was very nervous about selecting the right moving company during my recent move from NJ to FL. North American Van Lines quoted the best price so I was even more nervous they would service as promised. From the very beginning, they followed up consistently. The driver (Brad **) and crew showed up early on moving day and delivery day, they got right to work and never complained about anything. They were professional and friendly. Lisa, my coordinator called while they were there to check in to make sure everything was going well. Lisa also called many times to make sure I received calls from the driver regarding timing and see if I had any questions or concerns. All in all, North American Van Lines was terrific. Honestly, I can't think of one thing to complain about.

Original review: March 22, 2021

North American Van Lines (University Moving) did a good job with an interstate move I had. Julie from Client Services followed up regularly with updates on arrival times and making sure everything was going smoothly. The movers made sure everything was properly moved out and into my new place. Only thing that came up was some minor scratch marks on the wall from the movers moving the dresser mirror, but luckily that mostly came out with some soap and water. What I liked most was that payment via cashiers or certified check didn’t have to be made until delivery. This was nice, because some moving companies require a deposit up front. Recommend people consider this company in doing an out of state move.

Original review: March 19, 2021

I recently coordinated a move for my parents with the DeHaven’s team from NC to GA. I have personally moved 10 times in the past 20 years and I can say with total confidence that this was the most professional and well executed move I have ever received. They provided my parents exceptional service for the first phone call to get an estimate, to the last box being moved into the new home. They provide fair pricing for packaging, loading, storage and delivery! They took such care packing every item, moving and loading and delivery and setup. We literally could not find the smallest amount of damage on a single item. Not one. Remarkable! The crews were so curious and professional on both ends of the move. I just cannot say enough for how well they took care of my parents and their things. I truly appreciated this respect and service. I will never move again without DeHaven’s! Thank you all!

Original review: April 30, 2021

Usually moving experiences are difficult for all parties: however, this service provided me with four of the best movers that I have ever experiences. I have moves almost 20 time in the last 50 years. These Movers were hard-working, with a great sense of humor and actually listened to me concerning the difficult, heavy antiques and large statues. These men made a difficult move appear easy. The move was so great that I would never hesitate to recommend Diamon & Bacorin to anyone.

Original review: April 29, 2021

David, our estimator was honest and fair.. The office staff were extremely helpful. Pickup and delivery were both on time and professionally handled. Our pick up driveway was steep and crooked and the driver maneuvered it well. I would use Lile van lines every time. They did very well.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Tina stayed in contact with us thru the entire move. The driver and movers were very respectful of our home and the move was flawless. The move to our new location was not ready to move in and we had to move our belongings to a storage rental. North American made the change and stored our possessions in the storage unit and packed the unit so well. We did not have to rent another storage unit saving us over 400 dollars a month. I would definitely use them again.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Our move went smooth and was handled very professionally. From initial contact to completion. We did have one issue. One of our large screen TVs no longer functioned properly. After reaching out and filing a claim. We are very satisfied with the communication and attention in resolving this matter. Thanks Mike and the Baymeadows movers customer support team. If you need a care free move. We recommend Baymeadows Moving and storage????

Original review: April 27, 2021

I chose to pack my own boxes when moving. However, the movers put furniture and heavy boxes on top of boxes that were marked fragile. I had broken items but my claim was declined because I packed my own boxes. So if you pack your own boxes evidently they just stack them any which way because they don’t have to reimburse you if anything is broken. I would not recommend this company.

North American Van Lines Company Information