2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

BOTTOM LINE

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

PROS

• Corporate relocations
    • Shipment tracking
    • Instant quote estimate

CONS

• Potentially pricey

Top North American Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

The crew was very courteous in packing everything up. The crew in Atlanta was just as professional as the CA one. My stuff was delivered within the time frame they gave me and I was very pleased with the company. Overall, I will recommend them to all my friends and/or co-workers, job well done.

The North American Agent in OKC was fantastic. They were on time and efficient. The guys that were packing and loading were hustling. They placed pads on all of our doorways and corners, and they wrapped all of our furniture. When they arrived in Chicago they called to change the timeline because of traffic outside of Chicago.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines is a large moving company with 500 local agents in the United States. The company handles domestic and international moves for everything from small homes to large companies. Customers who want a less stressful relocation can opt for premium services like full packing, temporary storage and furniture assembly and disassembly.

North American Van Lines cost

A two-bedroom, 700-mile summer move with North American Van Lines costs about $5,000. Smaller, local moves cost at least $600, but additional services, such as packing, increase the total price. We like that North American Van Lines provides instant quote estimates on its website. Prospective customers must enter basic information, including pickup and drop-off locations, home size and amount of belongings for transport, before seeing the estimated cost.

We requested sample moving costs from Chicago to Atlanta for a two-bedroom home. We planned the move three months in advance for a Saturday in the summer, which is peak moving season.

Estimated costs to move from Chicago to Atlanta

Amount of household itemsEstimated price range
      Less than average$4,250 - $4,950
      Average$4,950 - $5,600
      More than average$5,700+

North American Van Lines moving services

North American Van Lines completes the following types of moves:

• Household moves: These moves are available for all residence sizes from studio apartments to multibedroom houses.
      • Corporate relocation: North American Van Lines moves companies and their employees domestically or abroad.
      • Long-distance move: The company handles cross-country and interstate moves. Plan ahead for a cheaper, smoother move. North American Van Lines includes free stretch wrapping for furniture.
      • International moving: International moving quotes are available on the company's website.

North American Van Lines includes loading and unloading services, basic liability coverage and shipment tracking free with every move. It also offers premium services that cost extra but make moving easier. These options include:

• Packing: Choose from full-service, fragile-only or partial packing assistance.
      • Temporary storage: When your move-in and move-out dates don’t align, temporary storage is a convenient solution.
      • Installation and assembly: Movers disassemble, assemble and install furniture and appliances.
      • Specialty items: Pianos, antiques and other heavy or fragile items need extra care.
      • Full valuation coverage: A step up from basic coverage, full valuation coverage offers far more protection if goods are damaged or lost during a move.

North American Van Lines FAQ

Can I track my move with North American Van Lines?
      Yes. The company has a 24/7 online tracking feature.
      How can I submit a claim with North American Van Lines?
      Submit a claim through the company's website or by calling North American Van Lines directly.
      Do I need an in-home estimate with North American Van Lines?
      Yes. North American Van Lines requires an in-home estimate before giving a final quote. Its initial online estimate is just a guide, not a final calculation.
      How long does an in-home estimate take?
      An in-home estimate usually takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of your residence. Use this time to ask any questions you have.

Is North American Van Lines worth it?

We like that North American Van Lines handles almost any type of move from residential to commercial and domestic to international. North American Van Lines offers a pleasant, hassle-free experience for some, but it’s hard to ignore dozens of reviews that mention tardiness, broken items and general dissatisfaction. It’s crucial to note that experiences vary based on the local agent. It’s worth getting a quote from North American Van Lines, but make sure to compare it with other companies before making a final decision.

North American Van Lines Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2020

This is by far the worst experience I’ve had dealing with a company. I work in a career driven by customer service and my experience couldn't be much worse. North American Van Lines gave me 3 days on the weekend in which they would deliver my small shipment from relocating from Ohio to Florida. They picked my shipment up a week prior to this date which would allow them more than enough time to make the timeline of 7/17-7/20. After multiple attempts of trying to track down my shipment and being already delayed a whole day in which I had to stay in a hotel for the days prior seeing as they gave me 3 days to deliver (which they didn't). They now want to give me 75$ for each day missed on delivery. Mind you my hotel alone was 100$.

What is the cost of inconvenience? My patience? My experience? Etc? Which regarding the $75 I was not given any copy of an agreement that states this as well. Here as I sit 7/21 with no shipment I have been told it's in Jacksonville where I called and no one there seems to know where it is. I paid $4300 for convenience (that is not what you get whatsoever). Take a Uhaul, pack your things and transport them. Because if you think for an extra 3k out of your pocket you will get convenience you are completely mistaken. I will escalate this further to more social media outlets and will continue to escalate with each party because of how mistreated I have been during this process. Be aware.

Original review: July 21, 2020

North American picked up our vehicle on 2nd June 2020 from our home. The car was inspected thoroughly inside and out. They delivered our car to Maine on 17th June 2020 fifteen days after pickup. The car was off the truck with the windows open. I looked in and all around the car, everything looked good. I signed the driver left. I got in the car and it would not start of the seat would not adjust. I then realized my sandals were soaked. I called the driver back to ask what was going on, he never answered. I called North American office immediately, no one answered.

I went to open the trunk and it would not open. I look over the back seat and lifted the panel where my daughter had things stored and it was at least 2 inches of water. I am furious by this time. I called the drivers companies number. They answered and said the driver stated water poured out of the car and the windows were dogged when he picked the car up the night before. I asked why I wasn’t informed. I got the car towed to a dealership. He stated that it had to be at least 10-12” of water in the car because everything was soaked in the middle console. North American Van lines office. Joann ** stopped answering my calls, would not let me speak with a supervisor and referred me to 5 different people.

It is the 20th July 2020. North American avoid my calls, never sent an adjuster out to view the damage, which I requested and my car is still sitting at the dealership rotting. I am thousands of dollars in on a rental car which I need to get my 83 year old mother back and forth to doctor appointments because she has had two strokes, and thousands it will take to fix my car, if it’s not totaled from water damage. Not to mention the antique pieces that’s broken in our household goods. North American should be Boycotted. They are deceitful, crooks that should not be allowed to destroy people property and not take the responsibility of their companies actions.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
        Original review: June 15, 2020

North American Van Lines has been a total disaster. We moved to Toronto from Atlanta 6 weeks ago.. Our belongings are still in Georgia. The cost was 14 thousand dollars... What a scam. Beware Beware Beware.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I have been meaning to write this review for almost a year. Our family of 5 hired North American Van Lines to move our household contents (family of 5) from Annapolis Valley, N.S., to London, Ontario. The employee from Burnside, N.S. who came to give us our quote, was about the only thing that went right. It all went downhill from there. With such a large move, it was stressful enough on our family. My husband and I stressed that the most important factor was a timely arrival of our belongings. We paid $5991.50, our items were paired with more than one household (some of which items mistakenly ended up at our new house in Ontario, that we were requested to drive to the local warehouse ourselves.)

Our contract stated all of our belongings would arrive between July 03, no later than July 09th. We were at our house on the 1st of July. Many items, including our dining set, children's bikes, lawn mower.... too much to list - almost an entire truck - did not arrive until the 19th. We had to pay to have our grass mowed, had nowhere to sit and eat dinner after unpacking.. The list goes on. To top things off - when we called the office, our belongings were "lost in transit." We were told this is unacceptable and were passed on through several employees via telephone.. Never really receiving any answers, everyone just pushing blame onto the next person we were blindly transferred to.

We were also promised a re-reimbursement for the inconvenience we experienced, having to pay for lawn care, our contract not being followed, and for believing half of our household was missing for almost 2 weeks. By the end of it, we were just too exhausted to even fight for the partial reimbursement we were promised. We will never use again, and highly caution anyone else who is considering.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Unethical company, lack of coordination communication, irresponsibility, abusive unilateral decisions, not responding to all damages they created. Missed deadlines, provided misleading offer to discard competition and were not transparent with the charges and right calculation.

Original review: April 22, 2020

The people who packed up my house were courteous and efficient. There was a significant delay in delivering my move. I imagine the hardware they stored my move at had flooded because all of the wood items had water damage. They damaged all of the large pieces from my move, all of the books molded and shoes as well. They were dishonest and the driver left with these large damaged pieces (because he told me that this is what the protocol was and that he would take it to the warehouse. Instead, he "disposed" of it himself).

Subsequently, they did not reimburse me for these items during my appeal. I waited over 3 months and did not have my issue resolved. I had over $2,000 in damage that I never got back. The customer service was poor. I would not recommend their service to anyone under any circumstances. They should not be allowed to continue a business as such. Anyone who is thinking about using this service should reach out to me if they have any further questions. Read more at: **

Original review: April 17, 2020

We moved last July from Oregon to New York via North American Van lines. Being a 100 % disabled veteran we wanted to use a veteran owned Moving company. Jim ** came out from the Coos Bay, Oregon office to work up an estimate. At the end of the visit we talked about damage insurance, because Jim said on long moves we needed to increase our coverage. We bought an upgrade policy for 461.00. When we inspected the shipment we found 6 items broken or destroyed. 3 furniture items damaged, 1 of 2 supports for our headboard missing. What they never tell you is that they dump your load in a warehouse, where it sits while they find the cheapest subcontractor who loads it a second time.

Here is the fraud!!! Mr. ** knew we were packing the shipment ourselves. The guys who loaded the items told our neighbor Sue that they rarely saw such a professional organized job of packing !!! Yet when we submitted our claim we were told North American will not pay for items packed by us. Mr. ** knew when he sold us the upgraded policy that was the case!! As well when we at first declined the offer he told my wife a couple of horror stories to change our mind. He also bragged that they do a large volume of VETERAN business. Well thanks a lot for my service, HUH??? Do not use these people, guess that's why with well over 200 reviews they barely got 1 out of 5 stars!!!

Original review: March 12, 2020

This company is a travesty! Not only did I pay them approx $10K to move me from Aurora, CO to Pennsylvania, but they trashed my stuff! I purchased insurance, but they put the initials - CP beside each numbered item..which I found out means "Customer Packed" which we did not pack all of our stuff...they did. The only way I found out was the deliver driver. It also means they do not honor insurance coverage that you purchase. When he opened the truck doors, my household belongings were piled in a HEAP...Nothing was stacked...It was literally thrown in one big mound in the truck. It was falling over, boxes were crushed...and there is nothing I can do!?

They also took apart some of my exercise equipment (elliptical). The parts were not packed with the elliptical, and cannot be found. Now not only do I have to purchase new parts, but I have to have a specialist come put it back together because I don't know what's missing! On top of the $10K I paid them, they cost me $3 - $5K in broken, damaged or lost stuff. What a crock! How are they even acknowledged by the Better Business Bureau? DO NOT use North American in Denver, CO!! They are just awful!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

This was an out of state move. Many boxes were damaged, so I know they were not careful. Some of the boxes felt lighter when they arrived at my new residence. Sure enough, as I was emptying them, I started to notice how many things did not make it with me across state lines-- clothes, special items, costumes for Halloween, Christmas mementos, etc.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

At destination, things not placed where requested, Movers walked out at midnight, dumped the remaining things in garage. Lots of damage on high value items. Had to fight for settlement, which was pennies on the dollar.

North American Van Lines Company Information