4.0/5 (514 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

Top North American Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

The crew was very courteous in packing everything up. The crew in Atlanta was just as professional as the CA one. My stuff was delivered within the time frame they gave me and I w...

Verified

The North American Agent in OKC was fantastic. They were on time and efficient. The guys that were packing and loading were hustling. They placed pads on all of our doorways and c...

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines is a large moving company with 500 local agents in the United States. The company handles domestic and international moves for everything from small homes to large companies. Customers who want a less stressful relocation can opt for premium services like full packing, temporary storage and furniture assembly and disassembly.

North American Van Lines cost

A two-bedroom, 700-mile summer move with North American Van Lines costs about $5,000. Smaller, local moves cost at least $600, but additional services, such as packing, increase the total price. We like that North American Van Lines provides instant quote estimates on its website. Prospective customers must enter basic information, including pickup and drop-off locations, home size and amount of belongings for transport, before seeing the estimated cost.

We requested sample moving costs from Chicago to Atlanta for a two-bedroom home. We planned the move three months in advance for a Saturday in the summer, which is peak moving season.

Estimated costs to move from Chicago to Atlanta

Amount of household itemsEstimated price range
Less than average$4,250 - $4,950
Average$4,950 - $5,600
More than average$5,700+

North American Van Lines moving services

North American Van Lines completes the following types of moves:

• Household moves: These moves are available for all residence sizes from studio apartments to multibedroom houses.
  • Corporate relocation: North American Van Lines moves companies and their employees domestically or abroad.
  • Long-distance move: The company handles cross-country and interstate moves. Plan ahead for a cheaper, smoother move. North American Van Lines includes free stretch wrapping for furniture.
  • International moving: International moving quotes are available on the company's website.

North American Van Lines includes loading and unloading services, basic liability coverage and shipment tracking free with every move. It also offers premium services that cost extra but make moving easier. These options include:

• Packing: Choose from full-service, fragile-only or partial packing assistance.
  • Temporary storage: When your move-in and move-out dates don’t align, temporary storage is a convenient solution.
  • Installation and assembly: Movers disassemble, assemble and install furniture and appliances.
  • Specialty items: Pianos, antiques and other heavy or fragile items need extra care.
  • Full valuation coverage: A step up from basic coverage, full valuation coverage offers far more protection if goods are damaged or lost during a move.

North American Van Lines FAQ

Can I track my move with North American Van Lines?
Yes. The company has a 24/7 online tracking feature.
How can I submit a claim with North American Van Lines?
Submit a claim through the company's website or by calling North American Van Lines directly.
Do I need an in-home estimate with North American Van Lines?
Yes. North American Van Lines requires an in-home estimate before giving a final quote. Its initial online estimate is just a guide, not a final calculation.
How long does an in-home estimate take?
An in-home estimate usually takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of your residence. Use this time to ask any questions you have.

Is North American Van Lines worth it?

We like that North American Van Lines handles almost any type of move from residential to commercial and domestic to international. North American Van Lines offers a pleasant, hassle-free experience for some, but it’s hard to ignore dozens of reviews that mention tardiness, broken items and general dissatisfaction. It’s crucial to note that experiences vary based on the local agent. It’s worth getting a quote from North American Van Lines, but make sure to compare it with other companies before making a final decision.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Oh my goodness!!! Where to even begin!!! The entire experience with Ward North American has been nothing short of exceptional! Our sales rep Jaden was a delight. We had several other companies give us quotes for moving, but the attitude and knowledge and forwardness of Jaden was just absolutely perfect for us. We ended up going with them the same day Jaden was out to give us a quote! From then on everything continued to excel. We were always kept updated which is exactly what we needed. A day or so before the moving day we were able to speak with the gentleman who would handle the packing and delivery of the moving items. Can I give over ten stars for that experience??

Truly Randy ** gave the best customer service experience I have ever had!! He was thorough. Nothing was left out. He was honest and answered any and all questions immediately. He was always available at any moment you needed. He was such a breath of fresh air! He was professional but at the same time very personable. He did whatever he could to try to make any situation the best it could be! He would try different approaches to make things work. It really felt like we had a family member moving us. I mean truly, if we ever move again I want him to move us! Just the overall approach he took, and how he and his team were Rockstars with packing the truck and taking very good care of our stuff.

Moving is absolutely stressful! But his attitude and bright personality just made things so much better. He took a lot of stress off which is always a positive! I honestly feel like I cannot say enough wonderful things about Randy and his team, and just the whole experience. I hope I don't move again any time soon, but I can garuntee that the next move we make will be with Ward North American and I am absolutely positively requesting Randy ** and his team! Truly, hands down, an amazing experience for such a stressful event. Thank you Randy and Jaden for such a wonderful and smooth process!! I cannot say how much I truly appreciate all of it! I definitely recommend Ward North American to anybody looking to move a good distance.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2022

This was the first time ever using a moving company. So I was nervous. Contacted maybe too many companies, however, North American/ Class Pays was amazing. They were friendly and professional from the beginning to end. Andrew did a virtual tour of home and quoted accurately within 20 lbs of items. Pam, the logistics coordinator was always on top of everything and checking to make sure everything was alright and the drivers were doing what they are supposed to be doing. Brian, Melanie, Jade, and Keith were friendly, professional, and efficient with the loading and loading of all of our stuff. I felt our stuff was in good hands the entire time. I don’t really want to move again, but know I will at some point. I will go back with them if I can.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I was satisfied the way Beltmann group with North American Van Lines packed and shipped our furnitures and belongings from their storage facility all the way to California once we were able to moved in to our new house. My appreciation to Pete ** our agent to Maddie ** whose always there to pick up the phone or email me back with any questions and concerns. Also thank you to Sergio and his staff and to Leo and his group for. Making this interstate move a very pleasant and relaxing experience for my family. I would highly recommend this company. They’re great moving company to worked with. To all of you Thank you so much!!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Paul ** was our sales person and was very knowledgeable and easy to work with. The quote we received was very close to the actual cost. The moving team arrived on time and was very efficient in loading our belongings on the truck. Billy was the team leader and was excellent in managing the move. The truck arrived at our new home just 36 hours after the truck was loaded. Unloading took under five hours, due to Billy’s efficiency. He literally remembered each room our furniture had come from in our previous home. I highly recommend Sterling Moving and Storage. I would definitely use the company again.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I was so happy with the two movers Reebe sent for my move. The main guy was Antonio ** who was absolutely professional and knew what he was doing. His friend was awesome too. Don’t remember his name. I had a huge China cabinet and a dresser my friend gave me. She lives in Lake Forest and I live in Winfield. Movers showed up in Lake Forest were very respectful and took proper care of their hardwood floor and took the China cabinet apart properly. Very prompt. Arrived at my house in Winfield. Movers were courteous and respectful. Reassembled China cabinet properly and moved dresser upstairs and reassembled. Everything was wrapped in quilted pads with stretch wrap around. No damage can occur.

Highly recommend Reebe movers out of Franklin Park, IL Yes for a local move with two men and few furniture. It was worth every penny to have it done correctly with no damage. They arrived in 24 ft box truck. I’m very happy. Thank you Antonio and Reebe movers for an efficient well orchestrated move. Linda from Winfield.

Original review: June 1, 2022

We will soon be at the one year anniversary of our move from Atlanta to South Carolina. The sales person was great and made a lot of promises regarding the quality and attention we could expect. Unfortunately, we dealt with two different crews and when they delivered, my wife's treasured china cabinet was severely damaged. Even so, when I went to the truck to tip the guys following the completion of the move, I smelled drugs in the cab. I don't know what they were smoking, but they were planning to drive all the way back to Atlanta. Almost one year on, and our china cabinet has still not been repaired. I don't know why we bought insurance. We are now asking for replacement costs for the piece, but of course all we get is apologies that it is taking so long. I would never use them again. They cannot be trusted. Don't waste your money on insurance as it produces nothing following a problem. Better, avoid at all costs.

Original review: May 25, 2022

We moved across country from Oregon to Tennessee leaving mid January 2022. Where to begin? Two days after our items were loaded, our credit card was overcharged by almost $2,000. I was told by contact our refund was in process. We never received so charge remains contested. Our items were placed in storage twice (in OR and again in TN) without our consent and we were lied to being told things were “in transit” every time I called. I learned after the fact our items had been handled and moved 5 times.

We received our items 5 weeks after promised. We were told we would receive $100 a day for the delay- we were paid for only half of the days. We had many damaged items and over $16,000 of missing/ stolen items. Most items missing could be resold at high value- such as bicycles, a nice guitar, our bed frames, our box clearLy marked ‘electronics’. Many boxes we did receive had quite obviously been ripped open and rummaged through- so violating. I have many pictures. We paid for replacement value insurance. North American denies we are missing any items.

On day items were delivered, I asked for the check sheet. The driver went out to the truck, and 3 men started bringing in items to distract me. No check sheet. After all was in I was given the check sheet and told to sign “we will just check things off back at the office”. I refused to sign and instead listed what I knew at that point was missing and initialed it. The list was apparently never turned in by the driver. On delivery day I called the main office in Salem we started with to report the experience of broken items, many missing items, and attempt to deliver items that were not ours. The concern was only over the items that were not ours which of course we did not allow to be delivered.

I called North American - lots of papers filled out, months of waiting to be told I called the wrong number on delivery day, so it’s my fault and we get nothing. Absolutely nothing for all of our missing items. We are to replace all those items ourselves. This company has failed us on every possible level. I am in contact with several others who had very similar experiences and we are not alone. I have no idea how this company has 4 stars. They owe us close to $20,000 with all the delays, loss, and damage. You have now been warned. Please avoid this experience. Get a U-haul and save money and heartache.

Original review: April 25, 2022

There were several items not delivered on our move from Wisconsin to NJ. My emails are undeliverable to both of my contacts at United. I am looking for guidance/ resolution in this matter. I was loaded on 4/7/22 and the truck arrived in NJ on 4/16/22.

North American Van Lines response

We are not United Van lines. We are North American Van Lines. Please contact United Van Lines for help. Thanks Ryan

Original review: March 16, 2022

My experience was positive throughout the entire process. Gust and Lauren were easy to work with and very helpful. I valued their in-person visit to confirm estimate. I packed myself but movers did an excellent job at both pick up and drop off. They were on time, efficient, careful, respectful and friendly. I had a long distance delivery from CA to CO. Driver reached out to schedule delivery and was on time and within front end of delivery window. I am very satisfied with my decision and would use North American again.

Original review: March 12, 2022

The driver and moving teams on both ends were great, competent and extremely helpful. It had snowed the night before the truck was loaded in Holt and they shoveled the snow before loading. The driver, Andy, communicated with me throughout and arrived when he said he would.

North American Van Lines Company Information