North American Van Lines

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This was my first move at age 60. North American van lines use Sterling movers in CT to pack and steal from me. They stole a book of checks that were just sold and I had to shut down my checking account. They stole my expensive stereo and speakers, a $250 Hummel figurine, Ray Ban sunglasses, My coffee grinder and prayer box. North American lost over 100 personal items. They run from me and do not take responsibility. I moved 3 years ago and have not recovered. They set me up to fail in arbitration.

The people who moved my stuff were friendly and pleasant, so I foolishly trusted them and didn't watch the process as I should have. My stuff was all packed and in a storage unit. They just needed to label it as mine, put it on the truck, and move it. The problem is that about 20% of my stuff didn't arrive. Sheets, dishes, towels, my favorite painting, half of the dollhouse, cooking utensils, books, clothing. A smattering of my stuff. And since I couldn't trace the missing stuff to a particular box number that was missing, they said I was SOL. Denied the claim. (I had paid for replacement value.) I read this on a website before I moved but didn't believe it was possible. But now I know this to be true: You have to sit and watch that they put a label on every single box THEY MOVE OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, OR YOU WON'T BE GUARANTEED OF SEEING YOUR STUFF AGAIN.

We enlisted North American Van Lines to move our household belongings from WI to AZ. First we were given a quote based on our total household items. What a joke! We sold numerous household items such as our dining table and six chairs, one complete bedroom set, mattress/box spring, exercise equipment, and gave much of our belongings away to family/friends. The quote was for approximately 9000 pounds without anything being sold. The weigh ticket shows our truck weight of over 9000 pounds even though we downsized from two bedroom to only one, and no dining set plus all the other stuff we got rid of. We weren't there to see the actual weigh in so we are skeptical at best that it was that weight. Or did he fill up with gas and we pay for his gas too? Just didn't make sense that the estimator could be that far off on weight with our downsizing.

The driver came in and loaded. Now mind you all of our furniture and household were pretty much brand new. He notated every single item to be scratched, marred, soiled, etc. etc. One thing he loaded but never put on our inventory list was a wardrobe cabinet. Probably because he damaged it beyond repair before he left in the truck. When it got here it was destroyed, yet not on the inventory list. He just said they won't pay for that. Now the driver was from Atlas Van Lines which North American is a parent company from what I understand.

When we got to our new location for the unload the driver was already here with many boxes sitting in the driveway. We unlocked the doors and opened the garage and all hell broke loose. The two guys just wheeled the boxes and furniture into the house without giving us an opportunity to check any boxes off or to go through inventory. That was a MISTAKE!!! After they were all done he brings in papers for me to sign, pointing at each page, sign here, sign here, sign here... etc. etc. Little did I know he checked off everything as received not us.

He unloaded our washer (brand new) and said it was dented like that when he loaded it. No sir it wasn't. But then he takes off the top and tries to fix it. Well if he didn't damage why try to fix? Dryer had scratches all over it. He denied denting and said he marked it as such. Well yes he did, but after the fact. My original paperwork did not have the same codes on that he showed me on the delivery documents. "Trust me" he says... I don't think so.

Numerous things were damaged. Numerous things were missing and not delivered. I filed a claim with North American and they sent a check for the damaged items claimed, but are refusing to pay anything on the missing items. Why, because they say I signed the papers for receiving everything even though we didn't check anything off. What is a consumer supposed to do? The driver put the pages in front of me and said sign here and here. They never allowed us to check items off.

They asked how we knew we were missing items then. I told them we took each tag off the box/item that it had, and crossed each item off the list that he left with us with a different slash/color. We know we are missing specific items like bedding and towels, a camera, etc. etc. but we don't know everything we are missing. We only look for something and realize we don't have it. So we have no new comforter set that I bought back home for our new location, only one pillow, half a set of sheets with only one pillow case and the bottom sheet - no top sheet or second pillow case to go with the comforter set which had matching pillows as well.

They said they did a search of the stops and traced it the best they could and cannot find our items and because I signed those paper documents they will not take responsibility for them. It's all on the consumer. We can file an arbitration which will cost us $300 or get an attorney. This is crazy!!! This driver more than likely knows where our stuff is. He was in a hurry to unload our belongings and get on his way. Which he did, and let us holding the bag. He knew what he was doing. He knew he should have offered us the opportunity to check all these boxes and items off, but he did not. This is the company's responsibility and the driver's. We can't help that they can't find our stuff. But we don't have it and they should be reimbursing us for the value we've put on the items.

We would never use North American Van Lines for a move again. We would never recommend them to anyone either. We would rather hire someone to come in and pack and load a U-Haul truck than to hire a moving company again or if we hired one, it would be double checked and rechecked before they loaded and unloaded. We are very frustrated at the way our move and claim was handled. Beware people when you are moving! Do not let any company unload your things without checking them off or you will end up on the short end of the stick. To replace everything we have lost that we know of is surmountable in dollars and cents. The claim for missing items valued is almost $4K. What is a little guy to do with big companies like this? Sit back and take it? We'll do everything we can to let people know not to use North American Van Lines.

The claims people talk down to you like you are nothing. You're just a number in their many filed claims for damage/loss as was indicated to me via email. We will be proceeding further with this. We think this is their fault and even if they can't locate our stuff (perhaps another customer got it or perhaps it was stolen/sold/given away) we are missing items. The driver even had me sign another person's papers, yet this is all on us. That person had orange stickers and we had blue/yellow/red but no orange. The company just dismissed that. So if a piece of paper can be a mistake, losing our belongs is a bigger mistake. Don't use North American Van Lines!!!

I contacted North American Van Lines to quote on a move from South Carolina to New Jersey. I supplied a list items indicating some items were large and told them it was a full large 3 bedroom house. I was surprised after communicating for awhile that the name was changed to North America Prime, Inc. Two men came with a truck late Friday morning. They started to wrap the furniture and then load the truck. We were asked if we could get pizza because they didn't eat due to a late night move. When 3/4 of the items were loaded they informed me that the cubic footage was reached. I asked how can that be since all the items weren't loaded. I complained and asked how was the cubic feet calculated, the reply was that they use an average. I asked to talk to the manager (Thomas) and complained stating that they low ball to get you and when you have no choice but to continue they hit you with a high increase for additional cubic feet.

They asked if I wanted them to continue (I had no choice, I was closing in 2 days and had to move). I agreed. At approx. 5 o'clock they said they were tired because of doing a move late into the evening the day before and left. The next day they continued to load and then informed me that the truck was full and they needed to transfer some items to a larger truck, they left and after a few hours returned to complete the loading. I was given a bill that was more than doubled the original quote (over $10,000), I blew my top. I asked to talk to the manager (Thomas) and asked how can this be? He said I went over my cubic feet, I countered that I was misrepresented with a fictitious quote and I proceeded to write "under protest" on the packing documents.

Thomas was told of this and had called me to tell me If I didn't remove "under protest" he would instruct his workers to unload, I had no choice. They did not meet the original delivery date. After numerous phone calls they said they would arrive at my house on Sunday, late morning or early afternoon, they arrived around 9 o'clock or 10 o'clock in the evening. Two men arrive with the truck. A passerby asked if they need help and proceeded to unload. I notice the individual was intoxicated and told the driver I don't want him on my property, they asked him to leave. Shortly thereafter four other individuals arrived (that were associated with the moving company) and started unloading.

I notice there were no hand trucks for the large items and asked about it. They said they would lift and carry the items, but I saw the truck stager drag some items and showed him finishing on the bottoms being scraped off. I also noticed a number of boxes were crushed and or mangled and pointed that to him as well (took pictures). It is now about 2 o'clock in the morning and all items were not put together. I told them I had enough and said I would put them together for them to leave. The next day I started to unpack and found numerous items damaged and or completely destroyed. I sent a letter with a list asking for claim forms and the proper procedure to file claims. I have not heard anything to date.

Please, please avoid this company like the plague! I have made several major moves in my lifetime and have never experienced the carelessness of this company. North American Van Lines subcontracted my move with The Beltmann Group. Everyone passes the buck when it comes to where the damage was done. My piano, left to me by my sister who died from cancer, came with the foot board missing and wood missing from the pedal area; the dining room hutch arrived with damage to the wood. Many other pieces arrived with damaged areas. The carelessness even went so far as to damage something little like a plastic laundry basket where it arrived cracked and the handle broken off. Just unbelievable. Also some boxes are missing, one containing family videos.

They delivered on a Saturday so no one available to talk to at the time of delivery. This company was subcontracted by North American Van Lines, so be careful! I wish I could post pictures to show the damage. I would hate to see someone else experience the same. Moving can be quite upsetting in itself, without damage to your precious cargo. I am in the process of submitting my claim to North American Van Lines so cannot comment on their handling of claims. Just stay away from this company if you can!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Hello. My name is Jennifer ** and I hired a moving company, N. American Lines, to move me Tuesday, after their quote was the best. They quoted me at $1300 that's $4.50 per cubic square. They called Monday night and said they made a mistake and my move from CA to FL will be more, $1700 was my new quote. I was irritated but paid it when they arrived Tuesday. In the middle of the move, they said it would cost me $5,500! I was so upset but I felt I didn't have a choice but to finish because they already had $1700 of my money. At the very end of the move, they now said my total moving cost was $7,500!! Absolutely absurd! The paperwork said they were now charging me $6.50 per cubic square instead of the $4.50 that I signed! I was very upset so the mover Mario called his 'boss' Yair and he called me with a nasty attitude saying I signed for the $7,500 so "Too bad" were his words, and that I HAD to pay to see my stuff again!

I was crying. It was very late and I was exhausted. I told him I wanted to call Grant whom I'd been dealing with through this whole thing the next day and that that should be fair enough and to let me sleep. He said No I had to pay in full, not even just pay the 60% require by law, not 100%. I'm supposed to pay the remaining 40% upon delivery. He kept texting me for 3 hours late into the night past 1 am threatening me in texts that I kept. I kept texting saying he was harassing me and this was not professional and that I was trying to sleep and to please stop. It didn't stop.

Even Mario the kind mover said they would most likely adjust my cost and I would never wind up paying $7,500 because that is quite absurd to go from $1300 to $1700 to $7,500!! He said I paid $4.50 per sq unit not $6.50 and the they would adjust that later, that my extra cost over the $1700 I already paid would be $2850 so total would be just under $5,000. It's STILL absurdly over my quote and horrifying to be treated this way but better and MUCH more reasonable than $7500!! Mario was nice, told me to get some sleep, he knew it was a long emotional day for me but Yair's harassing messages kept me awake.

The next day after everything was calmer, I spoke with Grant explaining all this and he said he agreed that this was crazy and that he'd try to speak with Yair about only charging me the $4.50 per sq. unit because that is what I signed and that going from $1700 to even that price of $5,000 is huge. Hours go by, I'm stressed about my stuff because Yair's threats are that he'll just dump my stuff!! Everything I own! I didn't hear from anyone until the next day, Grant said Yair didn't 'like' me so he didn't want to help me and give me that price. I tried calling Yair stating we should have a calm professional conversation so I could get Some money to him but not the total. He has all my belongings I have in this world including $1700 of my money.

He actually started the what could have been a normal pleasant conversation with another threat in an angry tone! He actually said he was one inch away from not allowing me to pay anything and dumping my stuff in a storage somewhere charging me storage fees for as long as he wanted and man power charges which would exceed $3,000!!! I asked him why he was doing this and why he just leads with threats when all I wanted was the routing #'s to put the wire transfer through for part of it so I could start me drive to FL which was scheduled for yesterday! He started shouting at me over the phone so I hung up. There was no communicating with a mad person.

My husband then called, whom I'm divorcing! And even he thought this absurd enough to help me! Yair supposedly gave him the routing number for the wire transfer for partial payment of the difference of the $7,500 which was $1530 because I already paid $ 1700. He didn't give enough numbers for the use transfer nor did he give the proper info to make the transfer which contains and address that matches as well as an account number. He texted me if I didn't make the transfer that day, which was yesterday, Saturday the 21st, he would do the above threat.

I contacted my uncle to help and my uncle left several messages with Yair to get the correct info yesterday and today but he is refusing to respond to any calls or texts and is keeping everything I own hostage and charging me storage fees that were not necessary if he gave me the proper info needed for the transfer yesterday when I asked. He said he would contact me via email, he doesn't have my email. I've received nothing. I messaged him last night and yesterday trying to off the transfer, nothing. I contacted Grant to contact his boss to get me the info, nothing. I called the 1-888 number yesterday and today leaving messages that I needed help because nobody is contacting me and I need to move! I can't leave the state until I know where my stuff is and what is going on!! Nobody has returned any messages!

I called another #, another office # I presume and got Grant on the phone toys. I told him I just wanted my stuff redelivered BACK to my house, that this is all a nightmare! She said they gave me options to pay but didn't so I lose. First of all, I lose what??! MY STUFF??!!! 2nd, I was calling and messaging all day the last few days actually begging for the correct info to do the wire transfer because I was scared about all my stuff, they refused to give it to me so what is going on??!! THIS COMPANY IS A HUGE SCAM! they are holding all my belongings hostage and will not contact me and I have to delay my move staying in a hotel until I can get it solved! How can any of this be legal??? How can they treat someone like this and steal all my stuff?? I'm beyond horrified! This is a living nightmare! I've contacted 3 news stations and movers help hotline, next is the POLICE!!! Jennifer, horrified consumer robbed by this company!

Initially they are very friendly and tell you all the right things until you sign the dotted line and your money is taken away. After it customer service disappears and phone calls are never returned. You will be ignored. Avoid this company for any military related moves, this company DOES NOT SUPPORT OUR TROOPS and IS NOT MILITARY FRIENDLY. And all this just before Christmas.

Consumers beware - this is a scam company. As of June 2016 they have changed their name to North America Prime (still out of Florida). In case it wasn't obvious, they changed their name in order to avoid accountability for the business practices of their company. If you have been wronged by North American Van Lines or their new company North America Prime then file a complaint with the Federal Government. The US Department of Transportation has an agency called the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Visit their official website or simply google "Protect My Move" and the first result is their website. Follow their directions for how to file a moving complaint. If the Federal Government receives enough complaints regarding a moving business then they may investigate.

Needless to say, my experience was terrible when I hired this company to move my household goods from NC to GA back in August. At this point, be wary of any companies that begin with "North America" or "North American" because unfortunately the scam companies are hard to tell apart from the legitimate ones. Good luck.

We contracted with NAVL and Allied to move us from MA to TX. The loading in Ayer, MA went well and then I don't have a positive thing to report. Our delivery window was Sept 19-26. Our shipment was loaded on the truck on the 19th. When the 26th came with no word we were told the delivery date was moved to October 1. When the driver picked up the load in Ayer, MA he told the agent that "that load will never be delivered on time." He then claims his truck was broken down for a week, but he failed to report that to anyone.

It is now October 5th and no household goods delivered. My husband has sciatica so badly he cannot stand up from sleeping on an inflatable mattress. Tracy **. in customer service said I told her I was going to dispute the charge for the move and had the booking agent call my husband at work demanding a cashier's check for the move. (Passive Aggressive manipulative behavior) What I told her is that if we did not get a delivery I was going to charge a bed and I expected NAVL to pay for it if they could not deliver the bed we owned that had been riding in a truck for 18 days. If she had an issue with my conversation with her, she should have called me. However, she chose the manipulative route having another agent call to interrupt my husband at work, who just forwarded the voice mail to me.

I finally called the President of combined NAVL and Allied and left a message on his complaint line. They agreed to take our credit card as we had contracted and are promising a delivery tomorrow. No compensation offered for a shipment 10 plus days overdue. Nobody holds employees responsible for bad service and communication. DO not use this company. Put your belongings in a POD and ship it that way. Never again!

Updated on October 7, 2016: After missing their delivery window by 10 days North American Van Lines (NAVL)/Allied Van Lines finally delivered our shipment. It took a call to the president of Allied Van Lines Customer escalation line to get my shipment delivered. There was no communication from NAVL informing us when our delivery would arrive. All information we obtained was a result of calling the NAVL customer service number. Every call resulted in a different story. Our delivery window ended September 26. When the driver picked up our load on September 19 in Ayer, MA he told the agent that our goods would never be delivered on time. The NAVL agent in Ayer, MA told us this driver did not return phone calls and had poor customer service. She was right.

On September 27th after not hearing a word about our shipment I started calling Customer service. I got a different story every day I called. On Sept 27th I was told my delivery would arrive October 1. On Sept 28th I was told that the truck was broken down since September 22 and the driver never called in to report this. (Where is the dispatcher in this situation?) I was then told my shipment would arrive on October 5.

Next call I was told my shipment would arrive October 6 or 7. On October 5 I called the president of Allied Van Lines (the driver worked for Coleman Allied Van Lines Valparaiso, Florida) customer escalation number. I told them that my husband had sciatica from sleeping on an inflatable mattress. He could not stand up straight. It was painful to look at him. He was physically miserable and was having difficulty at his job because he was trying to arrange time off work to be home when the shipment arrived and the date was constantly changing.

I called the Allied's president's customer escalation line and told them I was buying a bed and expected them to pay for it. I couldn't keep getting lied to about a delivery date. Their response was they told me I would not be able to pay for the move with my credit card because they were afraid I would dispute the charge. (Seems to me that this might be something that happens to them often as I said nothing about disputing a charge, but I liked the idea).

Well on October 6 the truck arrived. The first wardrobe boxes off the truck were crushed and about half their original height. The driver told me he had 3 deliveries and I just needed to check things off fast as he called off the numbers. I said, "No my items have been riding around on your truck for 18 days, they are badly damaged and I am documenting every damaged item." The inside of the delivery van was a mess. Furniture pads were thrown in heaps, people's possessions were helter skelter, different shipments items were commingled and as evidenced by different colored tags on the items placed next to each other, items were not secured and looked like they had bounced around as the truck went down the road.

Let me interject that my husband, years ago, was a driver for Allied Van Lines and his father (my father-in-law) was the General Manager at Allied in Milwaukee. When my husband packs a load, it does not look like this. Things are secured, padded and boxes securely loaded, pads not in use are neatly folded and stacked, and the van is clean and orderly. This van looked nothing like what I would expect of a professional mover and my items reflected this. This was a small move for us with only about 130 items in the shipment. Forty-two boxes/wardrobes were crushed, dented and damaged. The driver brought me a grey zippered bag full of Christmas wreaths and decorations. It was not mine. I refused it. He brought me a box of someone's lovingly folded and cared for christening gowns. They were not mine and the box did not have a moving sticker on it. I refused the box.

I was brought someone's cactus pot with gardening equipment inside, it was not mine. I refused that also. I hope the folks who own these items get them. The price they charge is above industry standard and I expected above average service for the price. NAVL says it will track your shipment and let you know where it is. Not true. I believe the "game" being played is when you have a smaller shipment the Van line waits until it has several going to the same area and then delivers to increase profits. Your shipment gets picked up and then gets to ride around the country until they have several shipments to your area.

They say they have a broken down truck so that allows them to wiggle out of their agreement to deliver on time, but they do not provide the customer with any documentation that the truck was off the road. No professional organization has a truck off the road for 8 days. A rental truck is found or a shipment is loaded on another truck. If a truck is broken, does not the customer deserve a call? This organization does not pass the smell test. Do NOT use. I sincerely hope the family who owns the christening gowns gets them back.

We hired North American to pack and move our home from Cincinnati to Florida in June 2016. Aside from it costing nearly $9,000, our packers helped themselves to valuables (jewelry, sports memorabilia). In addition to the theft, the vast majority of our items were broken. The company refused responsibility and continues to blame me, the customer for the thefts. Their actions are unacceptable and criminal. Please do not be a victim and use a different van line.

North American Prime is North American Van Lines. They are under the same company and probably changed the name because of poor service and complaints. THEY ARE CROOKS. They will do anything they can to change your quote. One couch that wasn't listed on their inventory sheet even though I did verbally list it (Who wouldn't? It's a couch. Who doesn't have one?!), so it cost $900 more because one couch that wasn't listed was over the cubic feet. My stuff took ALMOST two weeks to deliver, because everyday something comes up and no one can give you a straight answer. Everyone is either rude or a liar. There is not one good reason to go with this company. They're not affordable, reliable or courteous. They are crooks!!! ANY GOOD REVIEWS FROM THESE COMPANIES ARE CLEARLY FRAUD. Do your research!!!

I will first apologize if my tone is pointed, I know it is not personally your fault, I am just extremely sad and disappointed with your company. I have been crying for the past 5 hours due to the unprofessional nature of NAM that I am at a loss for verbal communication. Customer service on the telephone was no help, so I am writing a formal letter. To be frank, your agents lied and mislead us into this awful situation and I am extremely disappointed. My husband has been in the Army for 16 years and we have never experienced anything like this.

When the agent came out to estimate our move, he reassured us 6+ times that our items would arrive on August 9th (the day our housing is available on base). We spoke about that being the latest we could formally move in because my husband had to return to duty immediately - you know, because he doesn't want to go to jail. He continued on about the professional nature of your company and how quickly we would be moved out of our home by his guys. We were told a big team would be there to assure the safety of our items. He reassured us of a pickup date (the 2nd) and we called back to confirm within the time constraints he gave us.

All the sudden, he says he made a mistake and has to move us on the 4th. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue - but my husband is in the Army and has to call his commander and extend his leave (not a great way to start that relationship). $4000 is a lot of money, and we were told that your actual company with your actual truck with actual employees would be the ones in control of our move. We were reassured that our things would arrive on time and not to stress about that part of the move and to enjoy a short vacation. Awesome. I trusted him, unfortunately.

Then arrived August 4th (pick up day). The driver (her name included in the information below) repeated a delivery day of the 9th multiple times. I then was surprised to learn that she doesn't actually work for you at all and isn't even particularly licensed to drive it. She owns that truck, independently operates it, does side jobs while having property in her truck, and *literally* scotch taped a sign with your logo on the door (which I only noticed as they were pulling away). She found out only 30 minutes prior to her arriving that she was even assigned our shipment and had no idea what she was picking up or delivering until she saw our paperwork. That should've been my sign, but being Army - we have to arrive when his leave is up and were left no other choice.

The big team ended up being a gentleman and a teenage boy. The entire team arrived an hour and a half after they claimed they would. Both dropped numerous boxes off of the loading ramp (marked fragile with the correct stickers) and loaded things that were marked with Do Not Load signs, which my husband and I had to crawl back in through the items to retrieve. This included our clothing for the journey, medicine for my daughters heart condition, and a box of aerosol items that was meant for our personal car (as obviously, they cannot go in the truck).

As they disembarked, they said "we'll see you on the 9th." Perfect. On we went towards Ft. Belvoir. I set aside my worries temporarily. The past two days, we have been trying to confirm a time the truck was arriving. When we finally got someone on the phone today, we were told that they never assure a date for moving and our items WERE STILL IN KANSAS CITY. They were loaded A WEEK AGO. They then informed us that they would probably arrive on or around the 15th. Therefore, unless we spend a ridiculous amount of money to stay in a hotel until then, my family (including a 3-year old child) has no bed to sleep in, no toys to play with, no furniture, no personal items to cook actual non-road food. Had we known this, we would NEVER have paid almost $4000 to have our items be held for 2 weeks in a hot van somewhere in Kansas City (as per CS rep).

Every single one of my toiletry items will have been destroyed (I would've brought them with me if I had known how long they'd be sitting - and yes, a week makes a huge difference). My husband has none of his uniforms/shoes/items for work - which we would've obviously packed in our travel items if we had known there was a week window. He cannot extend his leave any further (we now have surpassed the leave he would get to spent Christmas with our families - devastating), so because of multiple lies and misleading/non-communicating agents, we will spend an additional $1500 total on this move (we are staying in the cheapest hotel in the area at $89/night).

My family and I cannot live in an empty house for a week - particularly because my daughter has to sleep on an incline for her heart. Right now, we have her propped up in a hotel bathtub. THE AGENT KNEW THIS. Every morning, she wakes up and asks for home with tears in her eyes. It's devastating. In that truck is everything we own. Everything we've worked hard and saved for. Furniture we bought when we got married. A toy chest full of my daughter's things she painfully packed away. To be told they are STILL somewhere in Kansas City is unacceptable. To have a window of a week for a move without informing the customer is unacceptable and has NEVER happened in the 6+ times we've moved. There have been instances with weather where the drop off date fluctuated by 24 hours - that's doable. But now we are forced to spend even more money that the Army will not reimburse us for, because it's not their fault.

The customer service rep claimed it was a miscommunication between the agent and contractor and there was nothing she could do - we were flat out told multiple times that our items would arrive on the 9th and we would be constantly updated (we have never gotten a call from you since pick up a week ago and it took 36 hours to get a hold of someone on the phone with any idea where our items were). She acted like it was absurd to be able to give a customer even a day when their entire home is being delivered.

This cannot ever happen to anyone again. You cannot do this to families. I have never experienced a situation where it took 2 weeks to move a small house 13.5 hours east by one interstate. If well, it's somewhere in Kansas City is the remedy to this situation, I ethically have to submit this letter to the blacklisting committee on base. We have to remedy this situation because my daughter shouldn't have to sleep on a floor because of NAM's negligence and I cannot spend another second worrying about the state of my items. Yes, they are just things, but when you're at the mercy of the Army 24/7, it's all you have.

I read the reviews and I'm going thru what all these customers went through just to get my personals things. I am so frustrated with this company and had the same dishonest quotes, the yelling and hang-ups and lies and late calls and more lies. I just don't know what to do about this awful company. Like everybody is saying STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

I have used several long distance - nationally recognized moving companies over 8 times in 30 years. Several things went very wrong with this move. After the initial call to North American Van Lines, and the timely arrival of the estimator, things began to go south. First, I had to keep calling their office to get updates on the date and time of the move, and to get copies of the estimate. Even the night before I still did not know the exacts. The movers from Maine were nice, thorough and efficient. The estimate was off by $2,600. I know it is just an estimate, but really? That far off? Then my furniture was off loaded for 1 week in Garner, NC, reloaded and delivered to my apartment.

Prior to my move I was very specific that I could not move in until June 10th at the earliest, and they gave me a 5 day window with June 10th as Day 1. This was fine, until the mover here in NC, called and wanted to move me in on June 8th. I don't know why he had the impression that I could get in earlier. I insisted that the move happen on June 10th at the earliest, and it did. That morning they were prompt and it started well. About 1 hour into the unloading, one of the movers had to sit down due to dizziness, and inability to see due to his Hypertension and Diabetes. Long story short: In Maine, it took 2 movers and the driver to transfer all the furniture and boxes from two floors, steep narrow stairs, a cramped attic and a garage load the van and be off in about 5 hours. I was pleased. It took 3 movers, no driver, to unload the van walk straight on concrete (no stairs, no hill) into a first unit one level apartment, no attic, no garage, over 7.5 hours.

Also a half hour break in Maine meant 30 minutes, a half break here meant 80 minutes. After 30 minutes, I went out and started moving things in myself and they Sat on the van and watched me. Then to top it off, I noticed when they were leaving that my 6 ft. wood step ladder had not been delivered. They said it had. It had not, as there was nowhere to hide it in the apartment and it was not visible. He stated to check and make sure it wasn't still in the garage in Maine, and left. I checked with persons in Maine and there was not a ladder there, and it stated it had been loaded.

I filed a claim with the company, and described the statements given to me by the crew here, about checking back in Maine, and the company denied my claim, stating that the forms indicated it had been delivered. Needless to say, I will not be pursuing a further claim, as the minimum out of pocket for the consumer is $300 and the ladder is valued at approximately $125. Somewhere out there a North American Van Line Employee has a really nice, excellent condition, wood, 6 foot ladder that was a housewarming present from my parents 25 years ago.

Damaged my electric fireplace and lost SEVERAL items. Lost the legs to a bench, lost one drawer to a cabinet, lost several boxes and I am missing a collectible dish, my telephone and am sure I will eventually miss other items. How do you lose ONE drawer from a set of 3??? Their reply to my claim was "sorry" - my reply was also "sorry I have to give you a bad review." Just stay away from North American Van Lines if you want a good move!!!

Moving from Peru to Iowa was a nightmare. The worst part was having the truck unloaded by "professionals" from North American Van Lines. They dropped cartons from the truck, cut cardboard boxes apart in a hurry to strip the content thereby severely damaging antiques 200-300 years old, expected to be fed by me at my cost, and said that they would have two strong men take furniture from wooden crates who never showed up. North American Van Lines do not answer their calls, will not honor their commitment even when contracted, and worse. Only a total fool would ever use North American Van Lines! They did not leave a copy of signed paperwork saying they only had the original but would copy it and send it -- never happened. It is like being raped.

"Jamie" (team leader from Des Moines, Iowa) allegedly took pictures -- but they were never sent or mentioned. One of his team was drunk and spoke rubbish questioning why the contents were being unloaded. The entire team left with 6 hours and what they would not unpack or put in the right rooms was dumped in the basement.

Under the name "North America Prime," they have screwed me. The salesman was the ONLY pleasant experience. He gave me a quote of about $1000 to move my stuff (which all fit in one room at my mother-in-law's place, using maybe half of a 14'x14' room). In the interest of full disclosure, I'd forgotten some loose and unimportant stuff like clothes hampers and shoes. And apparently, there was 400 cubic feet of loose stuff they had to box that I had forgotten to tell them about. And I get that this is my fault, though I was describing a room I hadn't seen in nearly 2 months.

What's crap about them is that after seeing this, they took the liberty of packing up the loose stuff in their boxes and loading everything up. Then they told my mother-in-law (they didn't even think to call me, the guy paying) that they would be charging me for going upstairs, for their boxes, and for the remaining cubic feet. Came to around 3160.

When I found out, I was able to get it talked down to 2600. Not ONLY is this 2.5x what was quoted, but they waited until AFTER everything was loaded up. And come to find out, if I backed out there, I would still owe them 800 for him coming out and loading, then unloading. So before I know it, I'm 800 in even if I quit. So no, DO NOT go with these guys. They WILL rack up extra fees, and they will wait until they can already charge you labor before telling you.

I wish I knew whether I could swear in this review, because my words for them are fit for a sailor. The only reason I give them a 2 in customer service is that I was able to talk it down by that 500. Otherwise, there is nothing redeemable about these guys and they haven't even moved my stuff yet. This is just after they picked it up. I'm afraid to see what my stuff will be like when it gets here.

Regrettably, I hired North American Van Lines to pack, move, and deliver my household. I've never used this type of platform to broadcast my dissatisfaction with a company before but I felt it was important to share my experience so other consumers can make informed decisions:

The Relocation Consultant will tell you everything and anything you want to hear to assure the sale. Their office, the drivers and the "trained" movers do not communicate well with each other about what was agreed upon in your contract and will attempt to extort additional handling charges on the day of the packing and moving. Call the office. Do not purchase the "Protection Plan" (insurance). It does not protect you or your household valuables. I had two dressers, a sofa table and a king size pillow top mattress damaged.

The value exceeding $4200.00 #NAVL reimbursed me for $400.00. They paid an "appearance allowance" on the case pieces and would not reimburse me for the king size pillow top mattress as I did not provide proper oversight to their "trained movers" therefore I was blamed for the mishandling of the mattress. I had 3 movers, using two different entrances of my home at the same time, and I did not see the mattress get folded. Apparently this is my fault according to their Claims Department. The movers at the pickup location did it right. The movers at the drop off location did not (More training with their movers is required).

Going back and forth with North American Van Lines claims department to receive a judgement; don't expect anything in a timely manner and assume it will be your fault. I am now beginning the long process of arbitration. Customer Service and Claims Department will find blame and fault with the homeowner. As a consumer, you want to be treated fairly. NORTH AMERICAN VAN LINES misrepresented the quality, the training and the professionalism of their services and employees.

Do not use North American Van Lines!!! After losing 3 boxes containing my belongings on a move from Atlanta to Florida, they have refused to reconcile my claim. They expect you to make the claim the same day as your move, even though there were 160 boxes stacked 5 high. Do not trust them with your belongings!!!

I am moving from Alabama to Tennessee. When my furniture was picked up they tried to jack up the price by an additional $900.00. After threatening to have them unload my furniture and going with a different company, they finally got the price back down. Now that they have my furniture in their storage warehouse, I can't get it back. I called them in the middle of June to have my things delivered. Here it is July and I am still sleeping on the floor. I called them and after getting the run-around, I got Mike from dispatch on the line and he was rude, yelling at me and telling me that he will get my things delivered on his timeline and not mine. After asking for a manager he hung up on me.

We moved from Calgary to the GTA last July. We had a large home and went for the deluxe package if you will to insure TVs, china etc. They packed and unpacked which the contract for the insurance said would need to happen. They lost one box called "Kitchen" but I couldn't be certain as to all that was in there. We got reimbursed $250. I do know it had dishes from a 1970's complete set that I had packed away 15 years ago. So now my set isn't complete.

They reimbursed us for some other minor breakages but what really happened was this. We had tools in our garage. A complete tool box, table saw and saw attachment for a table, pitch fork, 2 sanders, ladder, hedge clippers, rose pruners and other minor tools that we didn't think about until we needed them in the new house. Well they weren't on the original sheets so the packers D. ** and his gang must have walked off with them before the moving truck arrived. Of course we trusted them to tag everything and my husband did not babysit them. Alero Moving who NAVL contracted in Calgary denied any theft and wouldn't reimburse us.

As has been said in previous posts they are crooks. The lesson here is to review everything that is tagged before the moving truck arrives. Delay the moving truck if you have to. And of course their estimated weight conveniently went up when the final weight was done even though we purged a ton on heavy stuff after the estimate and before the move. How does that work? A friend recommended NAVL although it wasn't Alero Moving and I certainly will say stay away from Alero.

Moving from Miami to Las Vegas we shopped around to try to find best price and had a really good moving company set up, but then this guy name Chris from (** North American Van Lines) called us and made like he was with the first company. Have talking to him he said he was with this company North American Van Lines. After all and said we set up a moving contract with him. (Should have read the reviews and asked around). Moving on so weeks in advance we had this set up. Chris was quick to get our deposit and promise the world. Box count recount and items adjusted and got a quote locked in. So, moving truck was a small sub contractor was late to show up for pick up.

All our stuff was packed and labeled by me because if not would be a charge of $20 per item. After the now second deposit 60% of total bill he says he wants to charge us for supplies to wrap the stuff that was in quote to be wrapped and packed by movers. Didn't happen. So now back to the BS that Chris sold. Gave us a delivery date/mover gave an earlier moving date. I mentally stayed with the first date by Chris - not to get our hopes up. We pack up the car and summer road trip to get there before the moving truck which was only suppose to be several days. SO NOW 16 DAYS PAST DELIVERY DATE AND NO DELIVERY. We called last week and they said because of a Miami trucker strike. At no point did they call us to let us know of the delay.

Chris is nowhere to be found. Not answering phone. Dispatch said some time this week and trucker will call us to let us know when they are near. SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT. YOU'RE OVER 16 DAYS LATE AND I HAVE TO WAIT FOR HIM TO DELIVER WAITING ON BATED BREATH. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME...THIS COMPANY ARE CRIMINALS. DO NOT USE THEM!!! And let see the condition of our stuff when we get it and let see if they try to add extra fees or storage fee...stuff that is not on the contract. No customer service, no communication, no nothing.

Be advised that the company we're all complaining about may be NORTH AMERICA Prime Van Line since Bridget, Amanda, Ian, etc are all the common names I see on this thread as representatives/co-owners of that company and is actually different from North AmeriCAN Van Lines. Regardless, here is my review as well... Amanda and all of them lied to my husband and I on several occasions saying that the bad reviews are for North American Van Lines when in reality it's for them (North AmeriCA) after all. We had the worst experience with them and if not for U-Pack/ABF movers, we would be ruined from ever getting movers ever again.

Even one of their own reps told me over the phone that they themselves are not doing a great job of being up front with their customers. Let's just say we needed to move on a certain date and after 3 days of rescheduling on our already tight schedule, they end up telling us they couldn't pick up our stuff due to us being not in the same "route" as their trucks and our $2,000 job was nothing compared to the $14,000 job they picked up. We are CUSTOMERS. They talked about the cost of gas - haha. Are they for real business owners?? Because true, good business owners will have already known the risk of the price of gas, etc, all associated risks of owning a MOVING business.

They PROMISED again and again they'd come and pick up our stuff, and PROMISED to send us confirmation emails, and PROMISED so many things. It was the most emotionally troubling time of our life - on top of all the emotions of moving to begin with. They did not come through, obviously. Be forewarned - it's best to try ABF! Or even the real North American! Not the North America Prime from Hollywood, Florida!!! PS: Though we were extremely courteous, we got hung up on. Got put on hold several times and a different person kept picking it up then putting us back on hold, then finally they hung up. Days of great customer service are over. Also...why is this company still in business? They can be sued on so many grounds, since they're not brokers.

Red alert, please do not use North American Van Lines. Horrible experience. I am surprised how these people are in business. Lot of lies. All. Commitment failure. They gave me a quote of 1400 and charged 2500. They were supposed to come for pick up 2 pm but came 10 pm. They will make you a prey as asking lot of money on night of pick up when you are helpless. Terrible liars.

This is a bait and switch company. Original quote to get you to sign contract was half of what they charged me. I was charged $3000 more than quote. Pick-up guys were late. Their packing was horrifying! They expected me to give them some my personal items for their services or $100 each in tip and gave me an attitude. Delivery driver arrived unexpected the day before scheduled date and then charged me $500 wait time. I refused to pay the additional fee and then said if I had sex with him in the truck he would release my items. He also forced me to sign all the paperwork BEFORE items were unloaded releasing him from any liability. Boxes labeled fragile were thrown about and much broken glassware and dishes. He called me horrible names and a liar. It was the most traumatic experience I have had in my life and I am still mentally distraught about it.

Here is a summary of the events surrounding my move from Miami to New Orleans, May 20 picked up and May 28 delivered. This information can be used to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. I understand, estimates are estimates and moving is stressful and not an exact science. I get it and I was expecting some things to go wrong, that's life, but the amount of what went wrong/amount of mis-information was just too vast to not say/do something (I've noted what went wrong and what went right from my point of view/experience.).

Chain of events: Since March 17th I had been in contact with Amanda about my move the 'binding' quote of $2,500 which was provided was off from the final bill $4,000. That's too big a discrepancy to be considered reasonable. That is an overage of more than 50%. I was told it would not go up from $2,500 and to this day, have not been told why the cost went up so dramatically.

When I was told by Josh (lead guy with my move) that my move was going up so high and I tried to talk to Amanda, while the movers were in my apt., suddenly I was not allowed to talk with her. That's just bad business. He and I supposedly had developed a trustworthy relationship. I wanted to understand the staggering variance. Btw, Josh did not take any pictures, TV, a bed or box spring - all which were on my original estimate, however, this too have never been discussed with me. Wouldn't this reduce my bill? Josh's demeanor was sleazy. He told me that if 'I was good to him, he would be good to me.' What kind of behavior is that? In my book, shady, shady, shady. I gave him and his 2 guys each $100 for a total of $300 tip so that things would go well.

Josh also made me paid $400 for a long haul fee which was later waived. Thank You, but why was he even allowed to do that? WHAT IF I DID NOT HAVE THE $400? PLUS, I told N.A.M. that I lived in a Condo, in Unit 1908. Ugh, you think 'people' in the business would say, 'I think this guy lives on the 19th floor and the truck will be more than 75 ft away' or AT LEAST ASK. The Josh then told me he would remove the fuel cost. A LIE. Amanda's estimate already had that eliminated, approx. $400. This too was never addressed.

Lorene called on 5/26 and said that I could get a $750 deduction by paying a wire transfer of the entire balance, but I when I called back to double-check that, she outright said she did not make that offer. WHAT A SCAM??? Maybe it was another person, but the call was made to me. Why would I make this up? Own up N.A. M. At the last minute the day before my delivery, I was told that the $2,750 due could not be paid in cash and must be a Postal Money Order! I has just moved, had no idea where a Post Office was, but found one before they closed at 4 pm. Thought I was done. However, on 5/28, the driver Eli delivering my shipment said I could pay cash again, a different story and it's like they are not talking to each other.

This has been the worst experience of a move and I have moved with movers 4 times. Communication was weak and disorganized and I feel cheated, lied to and manipulated of the 20 or so calls I have had with at least 4-5 people. Only 4-5 of those conversations went well. The amount of what when wrong is out of alignment with what went right and I don't understand why N.A.M. cannot or refuses to see this.

Here is what went well: Josh and his crew moved everything out in 3 hours or so and everything was well wrapped and packed. Eli and his guy delivered my shipment on 5/28, on time and were friendly and efficient. Everything is accounted for. I gave Eli and his guy each $100 as well. Initial contact with Amanda and subsequent calls were great and I felt 'taken care of.' However, this was all negated. Gary, in management, tried to assuage my concerns/issues, but my issues were not fully addressed.

I have moved from Charlotte to Dallas and contacted these movers. They spoke very nice and they gave a quote for 220 cft but I have requested for 320 cft just to be on safe side. I have explained all my inventory and not single extra item added to it. They have quoted for 1440 but I ended up paying 2000$ extra. They have loaded 75% and refused to load remaining as it is over allocated CFT. I told them put the things back but they said they will charge 1500$. I have called Amanda but I never reached her and they saying talk to them.

Finally I had to throw few things there and I ended up paying more than actual cost of items. I had to accept their short notice of delivery (had to compromise on apartment too) otherwise they said it takes more than 2 weeks. Don't believe these guys... I should have read the reviews before signing the contract with them. This is my first move and very bad experience. They will always try to charge you more than they quote.. be careful with these guys.

Went through the quote a couple of times with Amanda and got a quote of $1,900. We chose what to sell before the move and that quote dropped to $1,300+-. Wife flew to Daytona Beach to get mother-in-law who I informed them of this. No senior discount. The driver showed up 6 hours late and we had to pay to change their tickets and also lost the money for shuttle to airport. Then the driver stated as he walked in that this was going to be very expensive. Dropped boxes, knocked over landscaping and then told my wife what should he charge her for all the extras. My mother-in-law wrote a check and he told them to make it out to him, and then asked for a tip. The few things that we were keeping they were told they couldn't bring it or it would cost her even more than its worth ($500 hutch) and other things they were trying to leave. The driver then only handed in $600 so he stole his own tip from the company.

Now instead of half upfront (we paid $800) and half when delivered instead they increased the amount to $4,300. That is 3x the quote. Instead we get a call that they fired the driver and reduced it to $3,300. The dispatch manager at GREYBULL of Florida told me if I get the money he will ship it at their convenience and storage will be $300+ a month extra. So now we have no idea about where in Florida our things are. My mother-in-law is heartbroken because she doesn't think they will give her stuff back. You guys are lying to people and are inconsiderate people to play this trick on seniors and veterans. I would love to hear from the actual North American Van Lines. We just want her things back.

This company is HORRIBLE!!! Sergio, and Janie and Bridget all lie. They lied about the cost! The price ended up $1800 more than their estimate. My sister-in-law moved the same day to the same area and her cost was double the estimate. After loading our furniture the driver told us there was no way our things could get to our new home on the date Sergio and Janie told us they could deliver it. So I called the North America Van Lines office and again was told by Whitney they couldn't deliver our things on the date they agree. She suggested we call in the morning the next day.

So we called and talked to Bridget who told us if we paid $3000 in cash put into North America van lines account they would deliver our furniture on the day they originally agree to. We received it three days late! They lost a beautiful 3' by 4' picture of a Florida beach, lost whole boxes of our things. They tore our couch, our 55" TV no longer works when they delivered it. After they package it, all the boxes were so damaged it was unreal. The day our furniture arrived I call and talked to Lorraine to complain and she told us to email her our complaints which we did. It's almost two weeks since we sent the email and still no answer.

We hired American Van Lines to move my family from Birmingham, AL, to Savannah, GA. We received a quote that left off about half of the items we reported we needed moved. When they actually came, they were more than 3 hours late and they hadn't brought a big enough truck. They loaded the stuff they could, then had to go get another truck. My family came on to GA, trusting them to get the job done and deliver our household. This morning, we received a call saying our stuff wouldn't be delivered if we didn't pay $5,000 more than our original quote listed. The owner/manager has been hell to deal with, saying that the whole situation is our fault, justifying the almost $9,000 bill. The customer service and sketchy operations of this company should be enough to get them written up. It's been the worst, most ridiculous experience I've ever had dealing with a "professional" company.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and residential moving for long-distances. With over 80 years of experience, the company is an expert on helping companies relocate throughout North America.

• Packing: North American Van Lines has extensive advance packing services to help ensure a timely move. They have a huge network of movers and many offices and trucks so that they have the bandwidth to handle more customers.
  • Households: In addition to corporate moving, it offers household moving to individuals and families that are moving nationwide.
  • Competitive pricing: The company is reasonably priced and offers alternatives to help keep costs down, such as flexible move times.
  • Materials: The company offers customers a number of reasonably priced packing materials, such as moving kits and boxes.
  • Estimates: North American will provide you with estimates for moving supplies and services in order to give you a true sense of how much your move will cost.
  • Best for Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Compare Moving Companies