1.33/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

North American Van Lines Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Absolutely terrible experience, and company. My first time moving cross country, and the whole experience was terrible. At first, Mike the sales guy seemed knowledgeable, and was great. Gave me a lot of options, and finally we moved forward. I decided to move most of my stuff myself, and then have them pack, and move the rest. I moved most of my belonging myself to Colorado. The day the movers reached my house in MN, they were not aware they were supposed to pack everything up. They didn't have boxes, they weren't prepared. They called me in CO as if I could do anything about it, but were fairly accommodating so I thought.

When everything arrived in CO, they unloaded into a storage unit. Which was on all of my documentation, I specifically called to ask if I needed to open the boxes, or do anything special for claims, as I was worried about broken things. They assured me, on the phone, as I was unloading into a storage unit that I had 9 months to file claims. I specifically asked if I needed to open boxes, or claim at the time of drop off, and if I needed to do it while the movers were there. They said no, I had 9 months to claim, and just to keep the pink copy, and write damaged items on that, and submit claim within 9 months.

Over the next couple months, I sorted through everything. Broken bed, Broken dresser. 2 broken guitars that were NOT EVEN BOXED UP! Just thrown in! When I went to claim, I was told none of my claims would be covered as it's not their responsibility after it's dropped off in a storage unit because it could get damaged in storage afterwards. I explained to them, and showed them email interactions that proved that I specifically asked about these things, and they didn't care.

I asked them what I was supposed to do, as going through every single item while the drivers were there would take days... the response I continued to get was "Read your contract". Then... I also asked, "Ok, what if you dropped everything off at my house, could it also get damaged there?" They said, "Yes, so you have to file your claims at the time of drop off". Then I asked... "Well, then when exactly does your 9 month claim policy work? Because there isn't a single scenario where you can claim any other time besides at the time of delivery." "Read your contract".

So, word of warning.... nothing can be claimed unless it is photographed, and claimed at the moment of delivery. So... be sure to make the drivers stay as long as you need to look through every single box, and examine every single item you have. Even if it takes weeks, apparently that is the ONLY way you're going to receive anything on a claim. Beware, they will lie, and tell you it's fine, you can claim in 9 months, fill out pink sheet, etc. It's all a lie. Read the contract, do not allow them to leave until you've gone through everything. Terrible, Terrible, Terrible.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

The moving company was decent except for the fact that they refused to take off a door so my couch would fit through the opening. Instead, they suggested I cut the couch (no kidding) with a saw and then have a furniture repair company put it back together.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

Do not ever use this line. It is a scam! It may be veteran owned, but certainly few if any veterans helped me move. The crew was okay. The supervisors were beyond horrible. The salesman estimated my move to be 3200 hundred. On the day of my move in September 2019, the crew supervisor wanted 7000 to 8000 for the move numerous times through out the day. The price difference is night and day. The attitude is basically, “I cannot move you unless you agree to 8 hours of overtime at 500 dollars an hour on top of estimated price." They took a 2 hour lunch. I hope one day this memory will be forgotten. I WOULD NOT WISH THIS ON MY WORST ENEMY.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

My move was from Kansas to Fort Myers, FL. Worst experience I ever had using North American Movers. If I could post negative numbers, I would do it. DO NOT use this company. Their customer service is unacceptable, they do not deliver when they say they will. My furniture and boxes sat in a warehouse because they could not find a driver to take the load. They showed up at my new place and none of the backs to my La-z-boy furniture was included. Took another week to get them at the new place. Delay form is a joke! They do not care except to take your money before the move. Advice: Hire a team to pack your truck, drive or hire them to drive the truck and hire a team at your destination to unpack. A LOT cheaper and A LOT less stress having to deal with them!!! Do not make my mistake! Never again!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I can’t tell you how disappointed I was with North American. I used them several times while I was in the military and they were great, but as a private citizen, it was a horrible experience. I guess the leverage of the larger contract makes a difference. The packers showed up with 2 people instead of 4 so it took 4 days to load the house instead of the scheduled 1 or 2.

The truck arrived without enough space because they underestimated my household goods. I had the option of living in an empty house for 6 weeks and miss work or sign a blank inventory sheet after going step by step and agreeing on what needed to be packed. Of course, items behind so I had to wait an additional two months to get the second shipment, only to find they didn’t pack everything AGAIN. So now, they tell me there’s nothing they can do, I just lose what they didn’t pack. They left the house full of trash, boxes etc. The answer from customer service is “I understand where your point, get a lawyer if you want.” This is the first negative comment I have ever made online against any company…I’m going to place this in as many places as I can…completely unacceptable and devoid of any integrity.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My move was from Pittsfield, MA to Indiana, approx 12 hour trip, scheduled by All-Ways moving. Items were picked up July 24 by Sterling movers. The movers arrived, packed the items, and were very careful, not to damage anything. They said they were not old enough to complete the trip, so they were taking my contents to their warehouse in RI. Three weeks later my contents arrived in Indiana. It had been with North American Moving, University Movers, Sterling Movers,and possibly more. The delivery crew was horrible, more like junk haulers than movers. The woman advised us not to unpack my grandfather clocks, but we unpacked them, in front of the movers. My grandfather clock was completely destroyed, and shipped upside down.

The woman told me I needed to sign something. I told her I needed my glasses. She told me I didn't, that it only said they dropped off my stuff. After that they took off fast. We looked in the driveway and they were gone. They had brought my two grandfather clocks in the house and two couches, everything else was left in the driveway, with packing still on. My leather couch was torn and punctured, a leather bar stool was torn, and a sleigh bed had a crack in it. They had already charged my charge card before I received anything, and charged an additional charge saying the weight was over what they had estimated. Now, they are silent. No explanations, no answers, nothing.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

The absolute worst!!! Some guy was supposed to come out and give me an estimate, a contracted employee with North American Van Lines. I try to explain that I am moving a limited amount of stuff and I don't need a (3) three hour presentation. I just need him to look at my stuff and give me a quote. But he insists on giving me the whole story, from soup to nuts. I again explain my situation, that I know about the company and just need estimate of moving my goods. He gets angry and hangs up on me. This company sucks and should be avoided at all costs!!!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Beware if you think you are hiring North American Van Lines. We hired them to move from NV to Wy for a little less than $13,000. The salesman came to our house twice and we told him there was also a 13x10 storage unit that was full and he should probably see it. He declined both times. We told him that on the last cross-country move we completely filled a 52' trailer. His response was that drivers do not like less the full loads. On moving day the truck pulled up already half loaded. Needless to say, all of our things would not fit on to the truck. They had to come back the next morning with a smaller truck causing our departure for WY to be delayed 4 hrs.

The driver's plan was to unload both big and small truck and re-load big truck with our stuff so we would get it all at once, but COMPANY would not let him. Needless to say, here we are 8 days later after initial delivery and still do not have rest of our things. At no time did anyone from company reach out to us with any update let alone an apology. The driver did keep in touch with us as to his arrival. When I called today to find out status, was told a driver would pick up in Las Vegas tomorrow but was not given an actual delivery date. She suggested I call North American Van Lines Customer Service. I did that and was told they were unaware of any problem with the move, no one had contacted them about any issue but did apologize and then said, in essence, they had nothing to do with it as they contracted out to Capitol. Terrible service all the way around.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

Avoid this moving company at all costs. In the summer of 2019, we moved from Whitesboro, NY (near Syracuse) to Miami, FL. Since we had previous bad experiences with moving companies we did a lot of research before agreeing to use Greater Syracuse Moving and Storage, a company affiliated with North American Van Lines. We knew choosing a national company meant paying more, but due to the distance of the move, we wanted to be safe. Wow, were we wrong and were we greatly deceived.

At first, when we met with the Relocation Sales Consultant, Ron **, we were quite optimistic. He understood we had bad experiences in the past with other companies and guaranteed us that everything would go well. It is what he didn't tell us that, in retrospect, led to many of our issues. We agreed to a nearly $10,000 move and signed a contract. One piece of advice - these contracts are utterly useless. You have almost no rights and no control. They in no way are a legitimate contract. Buyer beware!!!

The loading of our stuff in Whitesboro went quite well and the actual movers were quite professional. They arrived on time, treated everything with care, and were polite, respectful, and worked very hard on a hot day. The only concern we had was that the driver who picked up our stuff let us know he would not be the driver to deliver our items to us in Miami. He still set they would meet the delivery window time, but it would be a different driver. Though this seemed unusual to us - never in our previous moves did one driver pick-up and one driver deliver - but since everything went well so far we trusted them. Lesson learned: no matter how wonderful the actual movers are, NEVER trust a moving company. One hand is not working in tandem with the other hand.

Then the disaster began. As we drove down to Miami we waited about five days since our items had been picked up from a call from Greater Syracuse Moving telling us the actual day of delivery. We finally called and they said they did not know yet and to call back after the weekend. This was a dance for a number of days and then they finally provided us with the date... BUT... only 2/3 of our stuff was going to be delivered. This made absolutely no sense to us. In numerous calls and emails to Ron ** and Move Coordinator, Melissa **, we learned that when our stuff arrived after being picked up at our previous home in New York it was moved off the truck and into storage. Then it was moved to a new truck that would be taking it down to Miami, but they ran out of room on that truck. SO THEY LEFT 1/3 OF OUR ITEMS BEHIND.

Did they call us to let us know this, not a chance! They were never forthcoming with information, and in fact, I do not believe they ever initiated a phone call to us. In addition to learning we would not receive all of our stuff on the same day, we learned they did not know when the other 1/3 of our items would ever be delivered. They said they would let us know when they knew, but it would be past the delivery window we agreed upon when we signed the contract. Again, the contract means nothing. You have no rights, even though they provide you with a nice brochure telling you what your rights are supposedly.

The first 2/3 of our stuff arrives. The movers were good and they worked hard. But a number of items were damaged. Many of our boxes were damaged and most of the wardrobes had caved in sides or the top. Clearly, our items were not treated with care. They had let us know that the items left behind in Syracuse were "not important" as they included mostly outdoor furniture. Not true. Our beds were missing. Our dining room table was missing. Important boxes were missing. And important electronic items were missing.

We still had no information on when the rest of our stuff would arrive. Finally, after repeated calls and emails we learned that a new truck had been assigned and would delivery our remaining stuff on July 4th - holiday. Plans had to be canceled. More importantly, since it was a holiday our pets couldn't be placed in boarding so we had to secure them in a bedroom all day when the movers were here. Not at all an ideal situation.

So we finally had our stuff but numerous items were damaged - the dining room table, a bookshelf, 2 dressers, and a chair. This doesn't include the damaged boxes and wardrobes. Despite insurances over the phone and through email that we would be able to make claims for the late arrival and damages, in the end, we received $252 for damages and $0 for 1/3 of our stuff being delayed by more than a week. $252 refund on a nearly $10,000 moves is absolutely absurd. But as I said before, we had no recourse. So I turn to the Internet to share these facts so that future families do not have to deal with this corrupt and incompetent company. Lessons learned: The contract is meaningless. The delivery window means nothing. They will not treat your stuff with care. They will keep you in the dark as much as possible.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I recently had the experience of using North American Van Lines for my move from NJ to FL. When the salesman from Beltmann in NJ came to our home he emphasized that anything left in dresser drawers that was not breakable would not be removed. This was not the case. Everything (including underwear) was removed and packed in reams of paper. I was also told that I had to purchase the highest amount of insurance and had to pay the amount on the contract whether or not it was accurate. Upon delivery, there were several items missing including some that could not be replaced. I was unable to get some of the carton numbers.

Several weeks after the delivery, I received two additional cartons that were delivered to someone else in error. There are still at least two or three missing. I am now being told that maybe I didn’t look carefully in all the cartons. This type of comment is insulting and professional. My claim which totaled $1600 seemed to only be valued at $210. That’s disgusting. I have moved five times within the last 25 years and have never had as horrible an experience as this one.

North American Van Lines expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and residential moving for long-distances. With over 80 years of experience, the company is an expert on helping companies relocate throughout North America.

• Packing: North American Van Lines has extensive advance packing services to help ensure a timely move. They have a huge network of movers and many offices and trucks so that they have the bandwidth to handle more customers.

• Households: In addition to corporate moving, it offers household moving to individuals and families that are moving nationwide.

• Competitive pricing: The company is reasonably priced and offers alternatives to help keep costs down, such as flexible move times.

• Materials: The company offers customers a number of reasonably priced packing materials, such as moving kits and boxes.

• Estimates: North American will provide you with estimates for moving supplies and services in order to give you a true sense of how much your move will cost.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
      Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

North American Van Lines Company Information