1.14/5
Based on 194 reviews that contain star ratings

Discover the right moving company for you

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

239 North American Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I was scheduled a time for an estimate. I took time off work and they didn't show up. I guess they're making too much money to bother getting new business. Their excuse was "We tried calling you to confirm this morning but there was no answer." I WAS AT WORK!!! If they couldn't keep an appointment to get my business, how could I expect them to deliver on time?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My experience with The Moving Connection (a Baltimore affiliate of North American Van Lines) was a total nightmare. During a delivery from Maryland to my new home in a Philadelphia suburb, the movers damaged or lost a number of my valuable antiques, including radios, clocks, and lamps. My attempts to obtain fair compensation from SIRVA (a so-called claims adjustment agency connected with NAVL) was met with predictable bureaucratic apathy and downright lies. Considering this company's blatant disregard for consumer concerns and rights, I have decided to bring action against it in small claims court. My advice? It's the same as that given by others who have been victimized by the NAVL and its affiliates: avoid this scam operation like a plague and don't waste your time with SIRVA. Legal measures are your only recourse if you have the time and persistence.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

The move was mediocre. Packing and loading as scheduled. The issues were with damages. According to North American the destination city was in an area where service, according to their claims office was not available. They said to estimate damages and submit a claim which I did. Upon receipt of the claim they sent a person to do his appraisal of the damages. My estimate, based on replacement as repair service was unavailable, was $5548.00. Their representative said he would submit his report on what his estimate was and the claims office would contact me. I had a $250 deduction and they determined I was entitled to $60.00, making the total claim to be $310.

The damage to the leather recliner alone, was at least that amount. I emailed a detailed list of the damages to the claim department disputing their low ball analysis of the claim. The response I received back was they will file my dispute in my claims file and no further action would be made. This was my 10th move over the years and the first time with North American. Bottom line... when comparing companies for a move, also research their damage claims record.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I was informed that my items would be delivered on a Tuesday after being picked up on the preceding Saturday. Instead, they were delivered on the following Saturday, one week after pickup. The driver said he would not make sufficient income if he delivered on the Tuesday. Then several items were damaged. They performed repair work on only some, claiming that they are not responsible if something had previously been repaired, regardless of the fact that they admitted that their movers damaged the piece. Very disreputable company. Never again! Stay away from them!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Ian ** - salesman. came to my home in Atlanta with false recommendation from Clark Howard, prominent consumer advocate. He lied about EVERYTHING. Gave lowball estimate of $3444, which ended up being near $11,000 after all their scams and ripoffs. Nothing padded. Nothing protected. Children and a family used to load and pack. Then they held my things hostage, demanding storage money for months. Took another prominent consumer advocate to get items delivered, far beyond delivery date and to get my things released. All furniture damaged or broken. TV broken. Glass broken. Much missing... and driver (now from Allied) left dozens of boxes on the street and drove away. CEO WES LUCAS received several letters, but said "sorry, if this happened."

The main company is SIRVA which owns all the others companies involved -- Beltmann, North American, Allied. etc... claims department denied claims saying I broke all my own stuff. It was a horrible life changing experience and I never got back my missing items, only more bills attempting extortion as a "permanent storage customer." Attorney Generals of 3 states have open cases. They DO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OLDER SENIORS -- WOMEN --- SINGLE WOMEN --- AND I ALSO HAVE A DISABILITY. The trifecta for criminals who are practiced in the art of deception. I fell twice trying to move my own boxes into my house. There is so much more to tell, but you get the picture.

If you hire North American or any of its affiliates, you will be ripped off. I hope it is not as devastating as my move. Their slogan: NO MOVE MATTERS. And beware of people like IAN ** --- a slick lying salesman. Oh, and they did not use lot # stickers, but vandalized my property by writing lot numbers all over things with permanent black marker. That's what $11,000 buys you in a North American move. Ruination.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I recently moved from Georgia to a midwestern city. I read the reviews of all the major van lines and knew the low level of satisfaction, however the company I hired failed to even meet my already low expectations. The sales rep that visited my home estimated a weight that was nearly identical with two (2) other salespersons from other movers and the price quote was the middle of the three. The company assured me they could complete the loading in one (1) day and on a single truck, so I made travel arrangements accordingly.

The driver arrived a little late but he was friendly and his helpers were careful and efficient. But soon the problems began to mount. His truck was already 2/3 full which made it clear to me that my belongings would not fit. at the end of the day the truck was full and there was still a portion of my furnishings left behind. I contacted the move coordinator and she assured me that a truck would be there in the morning, however, my travel plans, including flights and hotel rooms, needed to be changed.

The truck showed up late after two calls to the company and as it was raining and I was slightly upset they quickly loaded a shuttle truck with no inventory and left. I then discovered an amount of my items again left behind. The move coordinator called with payment questions and tried to run a credit card # I gave them earlier which created an issue because I had not transferred the required funds as I told I would be billed AFTER my belongings arrived. I called the company and the manager advised me that the estimate of the weight was a little shy of the real weight and it would cost me a little more. What followed could be described as extortion, his estimate was off by 70%!!! I asked how this was possible? Didn't get a reasonable answer. Only a demand for a cashier's check before any items were unloaded. To say I was upset was a gross understatement.

To make a long story short, the move cost me 70% more than quoted and the overflow load of my belongings arrived 10 days after it was loaded at my home in GA. To account for the inaccurate estimate, I was told it was partly my fault! How outrageous. I would not recommend North American to my worst enemy, no one deserves to be treated like my family was. These people should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

To Everyone that puts Trust in a company, This review is for Alex Moving & Storage, which is an agent of North American Van Lines in Camarillo Ca. I rarely write reviews but this company gave me such a tough time and insulted me to such an extent that I had to write a review to warn other people. We are senior citizens and our move from Thousand Oaks CA to Marana AZ was the worst experience. We had several boxes that were damaged and had damaged items inside. The worst part is they damaged my precious grandfather clock and my jewelry box given to me by my mother that passed away.

We put in a claim and after 2 months the company refunded $90.00 for my jewelry box and $48.00 for my grandfather clock really!!! $48.00 for a grandfather clock. We are in our 60s and this company takes advantage of the elderly. They must get paid money to rip off old people. Whatever you do don’t use this company. They do not stand by what they promote. And the claims company they oh my heavens… Stay away from them. Cindy was NO help, she was very rude, no empathy or compassion. All she could say is this is what you signed for. I asked for her supervisor. Her manager Margie said the same thing that Cindy. It was like they both were just reading a script; they must get incentives for turning down claims!! The claims company is a scam. Horrible Experience. Run don’t walk away from this company. I will Never use them again and Never Recommend them to anyone!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This review is for Phillips Moving and Storage, which is an agent of North American Van Lines in Toronto. I rarely write reviews but this company gave me such a tough time and insulted me to such an extent that I had to write a review to warn other people. Please don't fall for the great reviews on Google. I did and I suffered. Run, run, and run some more away from this company.

I had the most frustrating experience in my life with this moving company, where Katy ** was the person handling my move. If you see an email from Katy **, run away as far as possible. Because of her mistakes in handling my cross-border move, I received my furniture/stuffs 35 days late. As a result, I had to buy all necessary stuffs/furniture/kitchen items that cost me $1000+ to live these 35 days. Not only that, they held my stuffs hostage unless I pay them extra money for their own mistakes, so I ended up paying $200 extra besides receiving my stuffs 35 days late and incurring additional $1000+ on my own.

Further, the psychological and emotional trauma they subjected me to was insane. Katy was incompetent and extremely rude. Besides she will blame you for mistakes she makes and won't hesitate to make false statements one after another. The company Phillips will protect her without giving any consideration to the customer's side of the story. I basically begged to them several times to give my case to somebody else other than Katy as I had lost confidence and trust in her. But they did not.

In short, neither I nor any person I know of ever had such a frustrating, humiliating, and traumatic experience with any company in buying any type of service in my life. I am deeply suspicious of the good google reviews for this company. If my experiences were anything to go by, they should receive zero rating (or minus rating if that were possible).

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I picked Andy's by way of picking North American Van Lines. They were my most expensive quote, but I didn't want to risk it and penny pinch for a cross country move CA to OH. They were efficient with the loading, but here's the thing. I painstakingly labeled all my boxes with what's in each one, but on their inventory load list it's just a number and notation of "packed by owner" unless you pay them to pack in which case they write "TV". Therein lies a huge problem when it comes to getting your things delivered. They stored my items for 3 months until we bought our house in OH at which time THEY contacted a driver to get my things out of storage and transported to OH.

Driver arrives in OH but it's only him and one other guy. No way they can unload and carry all my heavy things -- 3 story house. There were 6 guys in CA loading and it took nearly all day. When I questioned driver, he got VERY ANGRY. I couldn't reach Andy's since it was 6 am PST. Called NA Van Lines locally said they couldn't help. Up to Andy's or driver to hire more people. So for 3 hours my husband who had just had surgery and my 72 yr old father are trying to help unload. Meanwhile the driver is refusing to carry any boxes upstairs, which of course is to be included in what I paid! Now Andy's is open and they REFUSE, yes REFUSE to do anything, instead pointing responsibility to the driver for hiring more people.

But I didn't pick this driver! Andy's contracted with this driver! I contracted with NA Van Lines, who dispatched my move to Andy's! So everyone washed their hands of responsibility. The driver got extremely hostile because I called Andy's and "told on him". So now he threatens to leave right then with all my items still on his truck. Yes that's right, he threatened to "steal" all my items unless I called back Andy's and "lied" to them and told them everything was fine. It wasn't! He was refusing to carry any boxes upstairs or downstairs, just putting everything in my living room and he was throwing boxes around and not being careful with our things. My dad wanted to call the cops the guy was getting so hostile but I was afraid he'd take off and steal my belongings.

Finally 2 other kids showed up to help, because the OH local NA Van Lines movers understood my stress and decided to help. They were about 18 or 19 but if it weren't for them I don't know what would have happened. They carried all the items upstairs, downstairs and put our beds together as was supposed to happen. There were 4 boxes not checked off the inventory list but driver wouldn't let us look for them on truck. Also couldn't find couch legs and he broke our recliner and broke the footboard on our bed. Driver started getting very hostile and physical toward my dad again who wanted to look for the items in the truck and threatened to take off driving and lock my dad in the truck.

I called Andy's again. Again they said nothing they could do. Really? So I had to give up on the 4 boxes and hope nothing real valuable was in them. I reported this problem to the owner. Nothing. I reported this issue to N A Van Lines. Nothing. Well guess what was in one of those boxes. My wedding dress. For 27 years I've had that wedding dress and it's survived 3 previous moves. They ruined the dreams of my daughters wearing portions of dress or veil when they get married. Now it's lost forever. Once again neither Andy's nor NA Van Lines would do anything about it. Shameful company. Do not ever use this company or North American Van Lines. They accept zero responsibility for the dangerous reprehensible actions of people doing your move.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

We moved from Colorado to mid Missouri. We had a LOT of stuff. They didn't take it all, and we are missing 3 electric saws, a shotgun and blowgun. They say they don't have it. For 20K! Crew in MO was great.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

3 months ago I called 3 companies to move our furniture and belongings from FL to NC, I chose A-Turner Moving & Storage Company which is an affiliate of North American Van Lines. Jeff ** gave me a quote of estimate of over $3500. When the actual cost is over $5,500. They gave me a 10 day spread as to when everything would be delivered (July 21-Aug,1). It is now Aug. 4 and no guarantee as to when the delivery will take place except it may be Aug. 9. North American claims there is a shortage of drivers. Why wasn't I told of that in the very beginning? They are very irresponsible.

When I asked Bria to transfer to Supervisor she gave me the next team of command person (Linda) which could not help me. They agreed to pay for my hotel of up to $100 per night and only 50% of restaurant food only which I need to fill out a form with copies of receipts from Aug. 1. My husband and I are in our upper 70s and have a handicap adult daughter and our small dog all cooped up in a one room hotel. We are in dire need of our medical equipment which is still in storage at A-Turner Moving & Storage in Gainesville, NC. I have told them that many times and they do not care. This is the poorest services I have ever had. PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER THIS COMPANY FOR MOVING.

Original review: July 6, 2018

These people mishandled my out of state move from start to finish. They changed the pickup date on me, showed up with a truck incapable of loading my 2 motorcycles and then took forever to arrive. The worst part is they damaged one of my motorcycles and would not cover the damage. Stay away from them and by NO means should you let them handle your car or motorcycle. The claims company they use is a scam.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Absolutely the worst experience I have ever had with any moving company. I have used several in my career and business with North American Van Lines was a disaster. Moving from Kansas to Texas, The packers left so much incomplete, we ended packing many items ourselves, including utensils. The following day it took 12 hours to load the truck, which by earlier estimates should have taken about 6. One guy quit, another was sick and throwing up... The truck driver was an absolute disappointment, who did not know how to use a gps and find his way to either location!!! We had two guys at the Texas location that did a great job, in spite of the truck driver, who they had to go find. Parts were missing on the dining room table, we had to buy nuts and put the item together. I can go on and on, but it is too much to type. I will never use this company again.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We hired Ward North American moving company for our relocation from San Antonio to Phoenix. We would like to warn everyone not to hire this company for their house move or relocation. We had a horrible experience. Lots of our stuff was damaged in the transit, staff was very rude and mostly clueless. They did not even bother to notify us when they could not deliver on the promised date. We had to keep calling them to figure out where our stuff was. We now feel that we should have looked at all of their negative reviews before hiring the incompetent North American Moving company. So do your homework and due diligence hiring any movers. They were very expensive, and we thought it would be smooth and professional move as promised, but it was the opposite.

We have moved many times before but never had such a bad experience and poor customer service (previous moves were through employers). Packing was horrible and done by inexperienced staff. They did not protect the heavy furniture. They reimbursed us after several months for small broken items but not for the dining table. They are saying they are not liable for the crack as it is weather related, even though it cracked during the move. They even sold us insurance and still will not reimburse us. People who came to deliver the stuff were shocked to see how the stuff was packed and handled. All the boxes were damaged and torn. We have photos to show their packing and how they handled our stuff. If you see North American Moving company, run in the opposite direction as fast as you can.

Still not convinced, here are top 10 reasons for avoiding North American Moving Company's moving and relocation services: Poor and rude customer service, Late delivery and no notification, poor packing and handling of your prized possessions, damaged items, no accountability of the damages (though you will get very creative excuses), big delays in processing your claim (person told me that there is big delay to be fair to all customers - meaning that the justification is that they mistreat everyone.), expensive, unprofessional staff (they will hire 3rd party contractors and hourly people and send them for your move), lots of headache in dealing with them and did I already say what a nightmare? Good luck with your move.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We used NA Van Lines in March 2017 for a move from Milwaukee WI to Mpls, MN. They were our worst movers. We packed our own boxes and wrapped each item very well and packed very well and still ended up with boxes of broken items, they had to be thrown on the truck to break my fiesta stoneware dishes! They were very dishonest and also STOLE our $200 extension ladder, a yellow gold diamond and tanzanite ring from us. We put in a claim and after 2 months were refunded sixteen dollars!!! Our dining room chairs were cracked in half and our maple bedroom furniture had huge chips broken off! I will never use them again and never recommend them to anyone!!!

Original review: April 13, 2018

They forgot about us and refused to refund Thousands. Also we can say about this company is that is the one of the most horrible companies and we will never use or recommend to anybody. They never brought movers. They never brought packers. They outsourced to another company and they charged us thousands of dollars more for the outsourced company when they forgot about us that they lied and cheated again. We will never use this company and I will never let my company uses company can either.

And because they brought an outsourced third-party moving company they try to mark all of our furniture is damaged. They cover themselves because they knew they were damaged transferring it multiple times, and when confronting the only man they sent to the house when he did not send movers did not send packers or anything or anybody they promised. They then got became hostile and he actually threatened my wife when we asked them to leave before calling the police and then they won. Charged us money for going to the third-party contractor pizza moving that they call to my house not us.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Want to start out with I have moved cross country twice before, both times using National moving companies with no problems. I’ve done a few local moves as well, helped my children move etc., suffice it to say I am a seasoned packer, knowing what size boxes to order. Purchasing large rolls of bubble pack, dish packs, etc. In writing my review which is a very negative one, this was not my first move. I always get three bids, and I decided to go with Ferree Movers, out of Schererville IN.

On the day of my move, three men showed up, the driver, his helper, and one local man from the Ferree office as the facilitator. He was very helpful and kept things moving and organized. The driver asked to look at everything I had before he started. He immediately started complaining, and my stomach went into knots. I am a single mom, and I always know by experience this was going to be a bad day, and I realized the driver kept looking around asking where my husband was and I told him it was just me. Whenever I get asked that, it is never good, as from experience people take advantage of me, as I am a nice person by nature, and they think I’m a sucker and they think they can take advantage of me since I’m single and especially a WOMAN!!!

He started saying I had too many boxes, etc. I told him I had no idea what he meant, and this is the number of boxes I always have, and that when the estimator came out I showed him everything, and I had actually decided to leave a few pieces of furniture that were included in my move, so my load was less. He went on and on and said it was going to take up too much space. He started stressing me out all morning, as he continued to complain the entire time. I thought what I have gotten myself in to. John the facilitator told me to not worry about it, that I did not have too many boxes, and the driver was just being rude, and all was good. He said some drivers get picky about the space on their trucks. I thought as a paying customer, this should not happen, with getting berated the entire time they were loading me. I did nothing to deserve that. I had even made homemade cookies and coffee for them.

I had packed all my own boxes, and I watched them take everything out of my home and load everything into the truck, I want to be perfectly clear on this. The driver told me it would take about 2 weeks to arrive to the West Coast as he had five more families to load in different cities and then deliver their household belongings to their new homes and then he would be to me. They arrived 15 days later. When the driver came in before he started unloading, he gave me the paperwork, and told me most people don’t check every box, and there was no need to check every box, and it would take way to long, and he had to get on the road for his next trip so not to worry about it. I said ok? Hesitantly??? I was gracious as I always am and asked if they had lunch, they said no, and I went and got them lunch.

I started unpacking, with working full time I did the majority of unpacking over the next two weekends. I did start looking during the week in the evenings for the things I needed, such as: my coffee maker, dishes, towels, etc. To no avail, I could not find what I needed. I just chalked it up to the home I rented was much smaller therefore, I couldn’t get to all my things, as it was pretty cramped. I just gave up and figured when I got to those boxes I would be fine. I finished unpacking a few days ago, and I actually felt like I was in a dream, a fog, as I just walked from room to room, and in circles in my living room, talking to myself, as I thought, where is my coffee machine, where are my towels, where is my Cuisinart, where are my lamps, where is my jewelry, my makeup, paintings, and on, and on, and on.

I went to my iPad and looked up all my pictures of my home and realized all the things that were missing that were out, not in cabinets and closets. If I listed everything that is missing, stolen, it would take another two pages, and to be honest, I haven’t even been able to fully wrap my head around it yet, nor have I fully been able to finish my list of everything that is gone. The worst is, I lost my parents over 20 years ago, and a lot of their things are now gone, things that can never be replaced. I’m devasted, I feel so violated, I’m still in shock. Who would do such a thing. I had two binders of family recipes that were my mother's, grandmother's and aunt, that I will never be able to replace. I can never give these recipes to my children, much less make these recipes ever again.

I am dumbfounded. I actually realized when I unpacked a few boxes that they had been unpacked and repacked with items that I would have never packed together nor did I pack together, and even a few bins that I did not own, but in them were my items thrown in them. This is a total nightmare, and I pray this never happens to anyone else. I called Ferree Movers the very next morning, and spoke with Tom **, the owner, and he was very callous, and told me, to call the 1-800 number to North American Van Lines, it is an automated number and it will tell me to go to their website and to fill out the Domestic Claims Forms. I told him I had already looked into that last night, and that form is for each individual item that is missing, and it’s going to take me hours and hours I do not have to fill everything out. And what do I get back? .60 cents on the pound, that doesn’t even cover anything… (It’s a joke.) He could have cared less.

I replied with, "That’s it." He said, "Yep." I was in even more shock, that he didn’t care, nor wanted to spend any more time with me on the phone than necessary. He did ask me did I open up all the boxes, I wanted to scream, as I told him if I hadn’t of opened all the boxes I wouldn’t be calling. And that anything of value was missing. He could have cared less. What kind of business is this? They say they have been in business since 1929, and are a full service moving specialists, and professional. They say we have a professional driver development program that puts Ferree Movers drivers through a detailed qualification process, including hands-on safety and customer service training. Our drivers are respectful of both you and your possession.

None of this was to be true in my move, from the day they loaded me to now. The lack of professionalism, the lack of respect, the asking me if I had unpacked everything? I am not missing an item or two, or a box or two. I am missing all my high-ticket items of my entire home, paintings, dishes, cooking gadgets, my Nespresso machine, medicine, makeup, all my jewelry, my perfume bottles, my Christmas presents from my family, my birthday presents, etc., etc. I have gone to the police two nights ago and have filed a police report. DO NOT USE FERREE MOVERS… DO NOT, UNLESS YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR THINGS…

Original review: April 10, 2018

I didn't even use North American Van Lines but I can tell you, I never will. When I came home from work last night, there was a North American truck blocking my driveway. They were moving things into a house 2 doors down on the other side of the street, but instead of being parked in front of THAT house, they were parked in front of mine. My mother (who is 72 years old) told me that she went outside to ask the driver to move his truck before I got home so I could get into my driveway. The driver told my mother "** YOU", then flipped her off. They did NOT move their truck. I went out about an hour later and was told they only had 5 more items to move. The truck was there for another 3 hours. My mother, of course, called the company to complain about the rudeness and unprofessionalism of their workers towards a senior citizen and me as a homeowner. She has yet to receive a response. I would not recommend this company to ANYONE!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

After choosing North American Van Lines for my move from WA to CA, I had signed a contract clearly explaining that charges would NOT exceed a certain $ amount. If anything, the charges might be lower due to final weight. I ended up paying an additional $789.81 for a shuttle truck due to the driver's lack of ability to back up the North American truck into the proper loading slot. Large semi's back in frequently for people who move in and out of the same complex. Even large semi service trucks cater to area restaurants and do just fine with parking.

I do not think it is fair that my rate was changed due to the driver refusing to do so, or lack of driving experience. This caused North American to hire a shuttle truck which was more money. Here's the kicker, sign for the shuttle fees or we will not deliver the goods! North American really ties your hands and leaves you in a bind. After all was said and done, I owed an add'l $789.91 on top of the original quote. Truly unfair and nothing more than an add-on sale. I am now hearing that this happens frequently with North American, who refuses to work with me on this issue. Moving is stressful enough and customer service goes a long way.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I moved from Tinley Park, Illinois to Houston Texas! The movers loaded my stuff I packed - took about 2 weeks. Ok. However upon arrival my things were ruined! Water damage! TV, very expensive rug, Beds and clothes, and so much more - boxes were missing. The glass to my entertainment center missing. My dining room table legs all scratched up- they received so many pictures of the damaged items when the movers were bringing the stuff in! Just a complete mess! And did a claim and they gave me $264 bucks - this is supposed to be a brand name. I don’t think so- for what I paid $3000 bucks I would have felt better going with a smaller company that cares more! Horrible Experience!

Original review: March 10, 2018

These comments are in two parts... One sent to reimbursement damage claim and the second for delay in delivery claim. #1. August 11, 2017. Attn: North American Van Lines, Customer Service Dept. RE: ** – Claim for delay in delivery. Upon receiving my quote for our relocation from Dan ** and discussing the pick-up and delivery date I felt comfortable with using NAVL as our mover. Dan informed me on the date of the walkthrough that there may be a “three day window of delivery, 7/31-8/2, but we’ll work closely with you to ensure the date of 7/31”. I received confirmation of the pick-up date of 7/27 from Angie ** and date of delivery for 7/31/17. Since I was starting a new job on 8/1 this delivery date was very critical for me. I took the necessary steps to secure hotel accommodations on 7/31 just in case of any delays.

I called and emailed Hoover The Mover on the morning of 7/31 (notice that I called Hoover The Mover, not them notifying me) for an approximate delivery time. I was informed that not only that our belongings were not being delivered on 7/31 (as stated in writing), but the delay was going to be a week! Our new delivery date had been set for 8/7/17.

I had to find new accommodations, hotel room, since I was only booked through 7/31/17. Due to a music festival in Allentown/Bethlehem, finding a hotel room was not an easy task. Once we found a suitable hotel to stay I was informed by Tad ** of the need to be compensated for our additional costs for hotel/meals for this very long delay. Please note his response included; “the driver being filled out” (don’t know what that means or do I care), “Since I had to supply the crew to pick your goods and bring them back to our warehouse, I am already in the hole in this process. I have no ability to compensate you for the additional days will have in the hotel”.

Again, a delay of this length, and not of my doing and, is far from my concern about Hoover The Mover’s expenses to “warehouse” my belongings. These explanations are not only unsatisfactory, but lack the professionalism I expected from a ‘National’ moving company was as well. In addition I was also informed that North American Van Lines would only reimburse me for two days and 50% of my meal expenses gave me with a sense of being treated unfairly or with respect and concern.

Move-in day, 8/7; the driver and crew were joined by an adolescent boy who was bringing some of our belongings into our home! He was observed by my wife dragging an expensive and ornate coat rack along the ground (which was wet and muddy due to the raining conditions of the day)! When my wife asked the driver who the person was/is he told her it was his son. She asked for the driver to stop allowing his son to transport our belongings, but also to keep him clear of the other movers and out of our home (we did contact Hoover The Mover to inform them of this intolerable situation and they ensured us that they will contact the driver to inform him the child is not part of the crew). That lasted about an hour when the child was seen bringing additional belongings into the house. That was after he was outside jumping in puddles.

As if this weren’t enough and to make matters even worse… When the driver received our certified check for $5556.76, which Christina ** – Hoover The Mover seemed more concerned about than the status of the move, the driver (truck) hit the power line to the property! The power was out for 48 hours and affected 3 properties. We now have a house of belongings that we could not properly itemize and/or check for further damage and couldn’t reside in our home due to the downed power line. Add that to having to book two additional nights in a hotel... Again! Additional hotel stays now totaling 8 nights. We also have filled out a ‘Loss and Damaged’ form for several items, our furniture in particular, was severely damaged and two items didn’t make it because it was “destroyed” (per the driver's words) in shipment.

This has been a horrible experience and I expect to speak with a manager regarding this matter. I contracted with Hoover The Mover/North American Van Lines for relocation with specifics dates and received in writing that my belongings would be delivery on the date agreed. Did was not done… For this reason I expect FULL compensation for my hotel costs and meals from 8/1 through 8/8/17.

#2. On July 27 movers arrived. Packed 1st truck tightly but had to wait 3 hours for second truck. We received written confirmation that our belongings would be delivered on 7/31. Which was in the 5 day delivery window. Were notified Monday 7/31 the written date of delivery, that our belongings would not reach us until August 7th. When the movers did arrive we realized the driver's young son was bringing in to our house some of our items. The movers dropped a piece of our furniture right in front of the house on the sidewalk and heavily damaged it. (I witnessed this). Some of the movers were working hard but needed a lot of direction as to where to place things. Other movers did a very sloppy job moving things into our house. The driver's son was outside jumping in puddles and then would come into the house.

Many of our boxes marked fragile are busted and there is damage to many items. We took photographs of the damaged items for verification as they were brought into the house. My Husband began new job on August 1 reason for 7/31 written confirmation of delivery. Although we anticipated the possibility of a one day late arrival, we booked a hotel for 7/31. Latest move in date 8/1. Due to local events hotels were booked and had to find suitable hotel that we were not anticipating to pay for. We had to stay in a hotel for 7 additional days and pay for our meals. To make matters worse the driver tore down the power lines with his truck upon leaving the property and caused the power to be out for 48 hours keeping us once again in a hotel for 2 more days.

Through many moves in our lifetime this has been by far the worst moving nightmare we have ever experienced. I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and the undue stress this burden has put upon me has been extreme and difficult, as well as the financial burden we have suffered from this move. We expect full and complete refund of hotels/meals (10 days) and compensation for our lost and damaged belongings.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Our move was in August 2017 and we are STILL finding nicks, scratches, and gouges on our furniture, plus when unpacking, we found several broken items that we had packed very securely. In fact, they broke a piece off a lamp so there's no way to screw in a light bulb and we have no idea who might be able to repair it. They also put a gouge in the doorway when attempting to move a rather bulky piece of furniture. After discovering this, they decided there might be a better way. Duh!

The day of moving was chaos, but I won't even go into that. I contacted them about all this and all they did was send a form to be filled out... and part of what we were required to do is get the repairs done OURSELVES (!) and send them the bill. Years ago when I moved and used a local company, all I did was place a call and they immediately replaced the couple of things that had been broken. No questions asked. I wish this option had been available to me this time! The bottom line is DO NOT EVER call North American Van Lines when you need a mover!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Very disappointed with the service of North American and Allied Van Lines in our recent move. They missed five delivery times-some of which they admitted knowing they mis-scheduled and did not tell us. We have missing boxes, missing furniture parts, and damaged furniture. The driver finally showed up with broken ribs so we had to help unload so it could be done that day (corporate blamed me for not stopping and calling them about the driver- after I waited four days for my belongings). The van was so poorly pack that boxes were falling on the driver. They did not rebuild furniture that they took apart. My table legs finally showed up 2 1/2 weeks later- they missed two delivery deadlines for the legs after they found them. I had to fight to get a hotel room paid for that was incurred because they did not notify us of the delay.

They refuse to pay for my lost wages due to taking time off work when my furniture finally arrived and for meeting the claims persons. Corporate won't talk to you but handles everything through email and eventually said it was my fault and the fault of the local move coordinator. Another very interesting thing is that the weight of the load came out to be exactly the weight of the "guaranteed not to exceed" cost. They said that every so often they estimate the weight exactly. I can not recommend North American or Allied Van Lines or A-1 Freeman moving and storage. The service was not worth the amount they charged and would not consider a reduction in fees. Instead they offered me a dinner card for my troubles and said they will learn from my experience. I am very frustrated with the level of stress they added to an already stressful move.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I was charged over $3000, to have my belonging shipped from San Francisco to Boston. It took several months! Plus an extra $700 fee that the company added after the fact, and still with my belongings half thru transit. I had only wanted to belongings of my late mom and her mom. They both died right after another and I was given all their worldly possession I saw fit to keep. I had boxed everything. The crew complained they could box things better and did without my permission, and after I told them not to re-box anything.

I was already in Boston, my things in route. By the time my stuff arrived, I was missing everything from clothes to bow and arrows. My grandmother's old antique furniture had been dismantled as if someone was looking for secret compartments. Broken glass filled my boxes, missing portraits, damaged portraits, it's taking me 3 months to think about.

Christmas remnants gone! Papers rummaged through. Jewelry gone. To top it off, I was given items that did not belong to me, like a vacuum, trash bin, etc. I cried sooo hard and so many days. I even blamed my adult kids who talked me into moving close to them. I contacted the moving company and was not even given an apology. I am estimating $20,000 in loses. For an overpriced band of thieves.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

North American Van Lines owns Allied and apparently is the responsible party to any complaint people have with Allied. I have been dealing with their claims department for the past month about a missing box and a broken mirror frame. Although the box was found, it had been opened and items were missing, as well as a musical statuette shattered beyond repair. To this date, I have not received any assistance from NAVL toward repairing my broken Federalist mirror frame, which had been wrapped in two thin sheets of paper and placed in an unpadded box with a 30 lb. sign. The frame had been ground, including the gilded eagle's beak and other areas, and several of the pieced broken off. NAVL is now insisting I spend money of my own to have it appraised. So I guess I am to pay for the "privilege" of NAVL accepting responsibility for its negligence. Unacceptable!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I had hired North American Van Lines for my move from Davenport, IA to Montross, VA in August 2017. The experience was painful. I set up the move according to agent in Davenport, IA. I agreed to the delivery date timeframe. As the date approached, I waited on contact from the movers/agent, then when they did not contact me I call the agent. He said the shipment was delayed because there wasn't enough to fill a truck. I paid $4500 to get the shipment delivered and took off days to only find out the shipment wouldn't arrive until I was out of town on travel. Then, I was contacted at 8 PM the day before my oversea travel by a driver telling me he could only deliver on a specific day.

So I told him the delivery need to be a day earlier, he said that he would make arrangement with his supervisors (dispatch) to reschedule. However, the end result were that they said I refused the shipment, they have it to another shipper and I was charged an additional $1200.00. The shipment was still within the designated timeframe. When following up with the North American Van Lines corporate and the agent in Davenport, IA, they both said it was up to the other part to correct the issue. Then North American Van Lines corporate said it was my mix-up and there was nothing they could do. So, I know I will never use them again and do not recommend anyone using them.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

North American Van Lines moved us from East Longmeadow, Massachusetts to North Port, Florida in May of 2017. It’s been over six months, and when I remember the move, I still have an awful feeling. It was upon my suggestion that my husband and I met with our local North American Sales Manager from Sterling Moving and Storage. I thought the company would be a notch above the other long distance move carriers, and the sales manager did a good job of selling the company. The North American brochures promised “Quality: A Higher Standard - Going the extra mile to provide the best possible moving experience.” I expected the promised exceptional service - close communication, caring, and graciousness. We were sold, but now, as I look back on our move, I know that we were duped.

Our moving experience was the worst long distance move of our previous six long distance moves. Although we are now settled in our new home, I still can’t get over it. I continue to find many new small dents and chips all over our furniture. The communication with our local contact and with our driver was horrible. Our contract gave a wide range of delivery dates. We asked our local contact for a more specific date, but he didn’t know. He reassured us our goods would arrive within the dates on the contract because the company was obligated to meet the contract time frame. As we approached the later of these dates, again we contacted the local office to find out the date of delivery. Again our contact replied that he did not know, but he said he would ask the truck driver to contact us with the date. Finally with no word from the truck driver, we called the national office. No one could tell us when the truck would arrive.

Finally, the driver called to let us know he would bring our load on the day after the last contract date. It was an incredibly frustrating, aggravating experience. Our load was packed into a truck with several other long distance deliveries. My husband clearly admonished the movers to be careful of our living room coffee table which has a very fragile wood base. When the truck was unloaded, he saw it crammed in with the rest of our furniture. The wooden base was twisted and broken, heartbreaking to see. Our high end bicycles were taken apart and delivered to us in pieces.

Box Number 1 was not delivered and never found. It contained the hardware for our master bed frame, the decorative key for our living room buffet, and the hardware for another bedroom mirror. The day our load arrived, the movers were unable to set up our king master bed. They left its mattress and two box springs standing in the master bedroom with the bed frame scattered in pieces on the floor. What a fiasco! The truck driver apologized, but off he went with his crew – the master bed in disarray, and our bicycles in pieces in the garage.

Without an operational bed, my husband was frantic. He immediately called the claims department and was simply told to file a claim. After a heated telephone exchange with my husband, the claims person agreed to contact a local repair person to try to arrange for immediate help. In the meantime, my husband found temporary hardware (after an exhaustive search) at Home Depot to put the bed together. Later the following week, the local repair person ordered the needed permanent hardware and put the bed together.

Our claims experience was dismal as well. We filed a claim, but our North American contact was confused and unresponsive. Had we not called and complained, our bicycles might still be in pieces in our garage. My husband was handling the claim but became totally disgusted with his Email messages and telephone treatment. A month later I told him I’d call to try to get our bicycles assembled before our granddaughter came to visit. My husband was so irate that I was worried about his blood pressure spiking if he dealt with the North American claims representative one more time.

Throughout the entire frustrating process, most North American employees took no responsibility. No one was accountable. Most of our calls were met with a “That’s not my area.” response, or “There’s nothing I can do.” We were incredulous. The one bright spot in the whole process was the local repair person. He was kind and completed our reported repairs in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, the careless treatment of our furniture left many issues - small nicks and scratches. And the key the local repair person fashioned for our buffet was not as aesthetically pleasing as the original key. I would never recommend North American Movers. A discount mover would be far more careful and competent than this company. Our experience with North American Movers was abysmal. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

The North American Agent in OKC was fantastic. They were on time and efficient. The guys that were packing and loading were hustling. They placed pads on all of our doorways and corners, and they wrapped all of our furniture. When they arrived in Chicago they called to change the timeline because of traffic outside of Chicago.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

We signed with this mover because the company was the most reasonable price wise. We should have chosen another van line. I was always initiating the process and they have changed employees in the process. It's impossible to get straight answers from them. They did not deliver several of our items and cannot even find them in their warehouse. How do they sleep with a clear conscience knowing that they employ negligent people. We have relocated seven times and never experienced anything like this.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I wish I would have read these reviews before I agreed to hire North American Van Lines for my move. Everything you read in these reviews is true. Our estimate was $7100 for a move from Oregon to Texas. Final bill was $10500. And they held our stuff hostage until the whole bill was paid. The truck was 7 hours late with no communication that I didn’t initiate myself. They think led me that my weight was way over the estimate and that I must have added stuff. And then I found out that the estimate didn’t include items that were clearly in our house when we did the walkthrough. I made the mistake of trusting that the estimate of items was accurate. What a joke. I'm now fighting with them to get $1000 back for a shuttle charge for a shuttle that I never used. Please, do not use these folks! And please don’t use their local company Moda Moving out of Portland Oregon or Seattle. They are sad co-conspirators in the whole operation.

North American Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

North American Van Lines specializes in corporate relocation and residential moving for long-distances. With over 80 years of experience, the company is an expert on helping companies relocate throughout North America.

• Packing: North American Van Lines has extensive advance packing services to help ensure a timely move. They have a huge network of movers and many offices and trucks so that they have the bandwidth to handle more customers.

• Households: In addition to corporate moving, it offers household moving to individuals and families that are moving nationwide.

• Competitive pricing: The company is reasonably priced and offers alternatives to help keep costs down, such as flexible move times.

• Materials: The company offers customers a number of reasonably priced packing materials, such as moving kits and boxes.

• Estimates: North American will provide you with estimates for moving supplies and services in order to give you a true sense of how much your move will cost.

• Best for: Corporations, households, military families and individuals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs