2. Movers

4.1/5 (684 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

Top North American Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

The crew was very courteous in packing everything up. The crew in Atlanta was just as professional as the CA one. My stuff was delivered within the time frame they gave me and I w...

Verified

The North American Agent in OKC was fantastic. They were on time and efficient. The guys that were packing and loading were hustling. They placed pads on all of our doorways and c...

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines is a large moving company with 500 local agents in the United States. The company handles domestic and international moves for everything from small homes to large companies. Customers who want a less stressful relocation can opt for premium services like full packing, temporary storage and furniture assembly and disassembly.

North American Van Lines cost

A two-bedroom, 700-mile summer move with North American Van Lines costs about $5,000. Smaller, local moves cost at least $600, but additional services, such as packing, increase the total price. We like that North American Van Lines provides instant quote estimates on its website. Prospective customers must enter basic information, including pickup and drop-off locations, home size and amount of belongings for transport, before seeing the estimated cost.

We requested sample moving costs from Chicago to Atlanta for a two-bedroom home. We planned the move three months in advance for a Saturday in the summer, which is peak moving season.

Estimated costs to move from Chicago to Atlanta

Amount of household itemsEstimated price range
Less than average$4,250 - $4,950
Average$4,950 - $5,600
More than average$5,700+

North American Van Lines moving services

North American Van Lines completes the following types of moves:

• Household moves: These moves are available for all residence sizes from studio apartments to multibedroom houses.
  • Corporate relocation: North American Van Lines moves companies and their employees domestically or abroad.
  • Long-distance move: The company handles cross-country and interstate moves. Plan ahead for a cheaper, smoother move. North American Van Lines includes free stretch wrapping for furniture.
  • International moving: International moving quotes are available on the company's website.

North American Van Lines includes loading and unloading services, basic liability coverage and shipment tracking free with every move. It also offers premium services that cost extra but make moving easier. These options include:

• Packing: Choose from full-service, fragile-only or partial packing assistance.
  • Temporary storage: When your move-in and move-out dates don’t align, temporary storage is a convenient solution.
  • Installation and assembly: Movers disassemble, assemble and install furniture and appliances.
  • Specialty items: Pianos, antiques and other heavy or fragile items need extra care.
  • Full valuation coverage: A step up from basic coverage, full valuation coverage offers far more protection if goods are damaged or lost during a move.

North American Van Lines FAQ

Can I track my move with North American Van Lines?
Yes. The company has a 24/7 online tracking feature.
How can I submit a claim with North American Van Lines?
Submit a claim through the company's website or by calling North American Van Lines directly.
Do I need an in-home estimate with North American Van Lines?
Yes. North American Van Lines requires an in-home estimate before giving a final quote. Its initial online estimate is just a guide, not a final calculation.
How long does an in-home estimate take?
An in-home estimate usually takes about 20 minutes, but it depends on the size of your residence. Use this time to ask any questions you have.

Is North American Van Lines worth it?

We like that North American Van Lines handles almost any type of move from residential to commercial and domestic to international. North American Van Lines offers a pleasant, hassle-free experience for some, but it’s hard to ignore dozens of reviews that mention tardiness, broken items and general dissatisfaction. It’s crucial to note that experiences vary based on the local agent. It’s worth getting a quote from North American Van Lines, but make sure to compare it with other companies before making a final decision.

North American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: July 6, 2021

I was so happy with the two movers Reebe sent for my move. The main guy was Antonio ** who was absolutely professional and knew what he was doing. His friend was awesome too. Don’t remember his name. I had a huge China cabinet and a dresser my friend gave me. She lives in Lake Forest and I live in Winfield. Movers showed up in Lake Forest were very respectful and took proper care of their hardwood floor and took the China cabinet apart properly. Very prompt. Arrived at my house in Winfield. Movers were courteous and respectful. Reassembled China cabinet properly and moved dresser upstairs and reassembled. Everything was wrapped in quilted pads with stretch wrap around. No damage can occur.

Highly recommend Reebe movers out of Franklin Park, IL Yes for a local move with two men and few furniture. It was worth every penny to have it done correctly with no damage. They arrived in 24 ft box truck. I’m very happy. Thank you Antonio and Reebe movers for an efficient well orchestrated move. Linda from Winfield.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Ben gave us a pretty accurate estimate & told us what we could expect from N. American. Packer was very efficient and did a good job. John, the driver, and his son were also very efficient. Everything was delivered in good condition with only one small mar on a furniture leg. Everyone was very friendly, polite, & helpful with the exception of Jennifer **, the move coordinator. Unanswered phone messages and emails was very frustrating for us since our condominium required advance notice of the move-out date. Jennifer finally gave us a date just before packers were to come & we never heard from her again. Wish we had a better communicator for our move coordinator. However, overall a good experience & we would recommend North American to others.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I was very nervous about selecting the right moving company during my recent move from NJ to FL. North American Van Lines quoted the best price so I was even more nervous they would service as promised. From the very beginning, they followed up consistently. The driver (Brad **) and crew showed up early on moving day and delivery day, they got right to work and never complained about anything. They were professional and friendly. Lisa, my coordinator called while they were there to check in to make sure everything was going well. Lisa also called many times to make sure I received calls from the driver regarding timing and see if I had any questions or concerns. All in all, North American Van Lines was terrific. Honestly, I can't think of one thing to complain about.

Original review: March 22, 2021

North American Van Lines (University Moving) did a good job with an interstate move I had. Julie from Client Services followed up regularly with updates on arrival times and making sure everything was going smoothly. The movers made sure everything was properly moved out and into my new place. Only thing that came up was some minor scratch marks on the wall from the movers moving the dresser mirror, but luckily that mostly came out with some soap and water. What I liked most was that payment via cashiers or certified check didn’t have to be made until delivery. This was nice, because some moving companies require a deposit up front. Recommend people consider this company in doing an out of state move.

Original review: March 19, 2021

I recently coordinated a move for my parents with the DeHaven’s team from NC to GA. I have personally moved 10 times in the past 20 years and I can say with total confidence that this was the most professional and well executed move I have ever received. They provided my parents exceptional service for the first phone call to get an estimate, to the last box being moved into the new home. They provide fair pricing for packaging, loading, storage and delivery! They took such care packing every item, moving and loading and delivery and setup. We literally could not find the smallest amount of damage on a single item. Not one. Remarkable! The crews were so curious and professional on both ends of the move. I just cannot say enough for how well they took care of my parents and their things. I truly appreciated this respect and service. I will never move again without DeHaven’s! Thank you all!

Original review: July 11, 2021

Furniture move as downsizing. They had trouble with one large piece and I was ready to give up and just have them return to my other place. They figured it out and got it in. They were efficient and wrapped a my antique furniture well.

Original review: July 4, 2021

I was extremely pleased with the way Juan ** and his co-worker wrapped and handled my sentimental furniture for its journey to California. They were both very friendly and engaging and great to work with. Their professionalism greatly exceeded my expectations.

Original review: July 3, 2021

The packers sent were two hours late, were ages 16, 20 and 80. No experience, no supervision. It was horrible. They did not know what they were doing. They followed no protocol. The few items they packed were broken, lost, unidentified, and never stickered. Unbeknownst to me several pieces of fine art were never packed. Just put on the truck. The driver, Brian, initially refused to load my stuff to move it because it was so horribly packed. He was a total ** too though. Never once apologized for the job his company did. Went off on how Covid isn't real, And other asinine totally unrelated political issues to my move.

I have been moved professionally 10 times and by NAVL 3x. But this move was the absolute worst. And everyone keeps saying,"the pandemic!" No, customer service is customer service. I am estimating this move cost me the 8,100 they charged and several thousands more to fix busted art, smashed stained glass, lost china, router, DVR, DVD, remotes, legs to tables, busted dining room chairs, lamps... And who knows what just didn't make the move... Because they never identified/stickered the boxes they packed. Deplorable awful company. Loved them but over it. They all just pass the buck. No accountability whatsoever. Do not use this company until the summer rush is over. I was told it would have been 4,000 less after September and no novices would be used. This was the worst experience ever.

Original review: June 30, 2021

The packing and loading in Greenville was not satisfactory for the amount of money we spent. We discovered at the unloading points that there were quite a few broken items- and it’s clearly from poor treatment of our items. I am really astounded to be honest. The last long distance move we did- with Allied - the only casualty was a melted candle. So, it is possible to pay someone to move you without breaking a bundle of stuff. I reached out to DeHavens to see how the could help, but have yet to hear back from the point of contact Jim **. I would be hesitant to go with North American based on this affiliate's poor service.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The team was prompt, professional and efficient. Easy to work with and they made the move easy. They treated my furniture and personal belongings with care and communicated very well. Would highly recommend for anyone that is looking for fast, easy and professional.

North American Van Lines Company Information