Call toll free
4.08/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

Medical Guardian Video
Medical Guardian Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

417 Medical Guardian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 20, 2019

We've had the Medical Guardian device for about nine months and knowing I have it makes me feel safer. My daughter got it for us because we're older people and I usually wear the device when we're alone. It's worn both around the neck and around the wrist. It has gone off by accident and the interaction we've had with the Medical Guardian team has been favorable.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I wear my Medical Guardian device on my wrist and I've found it comfortable. I've also felt more comfortable when it's on. Overall, I'm happy with it.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Before I got Medical Guardian, I was falling a lot and I had 3 major falls that I had to go to the emergency room. My daughter and son-in-law were concerned. They live nearby but they can’t be here 24/7. So, I'm using the Home Guardian now. It’s not that comfortable but I've learned to ignore it. Still, I’m afraid of pushing the button accidentally which I have already done. Maybe they could make it into a decoration or a brooch instead of a necklace. Other than that, the Medical Guardian people have been great. They are so gentle and kindly mannered. Even when I accidentally pushed the button and didn’t really need them, they were right there quickly. Now, I’m a lot more careful and I’ve slowed down a little bit more. I’m more conscious that I have to be extra careful not to fall.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My father-in-law fell during a time when my husband and I were working long hours. We wanted to get a medical alert device for him for our peace of mind. Medical Guardian was recommended to us so we went with them. Initially, my experience with them was terrible. I had to call them several times. The first time my father-in-law had to use the device, the company sent the equipment to the wrong address. It was a comedy of errors. First, I kept getting calls saying I had never signed the agreement. But then, I never received the agreement at the time. Once I got it, I had 11 other people’s agreements in one envelope.

I contacted Medical Guardian and they said that they would send out another agreement. Instead, I got another envelope with six more people’s agreements. At the time, I was already agitated because probably 20 people had my father-in-law’s information instead of their own. Thereafter, they finally got the contract sent in.

There was a time when I heard the sheriff’s department beating on our door because my father-in-law had fallen and they got sent to the wrong address. The law enforcement even said that when they were sent, they were not given the code to get in. When I called Medical Guardian, I spoke to the rep's supervisor and if it wasn't for him, I would have discontinued everything and demanded my money back. The man whom I spoke with said he got everything fixed for us.

Original review: March 18, 2019

My son got Medical Guardian for me as he was worried about me. It's nice to have because it's a means of safety for me. As long as I got this string around my neck and I got it handy, I know I got help that’s coming quickly. One time I fell down and I couldn’t get up, and they came and helped me up. The people that they sent were very accommodating and kind. They offered any calls they could make for me or anything else they could do. I'd recommend it to a friend if they needed something.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: March 17, 2019

My son suggested Medical Guardian and ordered it for me since I’ve had two massive strokes in August. I keep it to make me feel safe because I live alone. My son tests it once a month everybody there has been very helpful. I usually wear the necklace and at nighttime, I put the necklace on my bedpost so it's at arm's reach because I don't wanna sleep with it. I would highly recommend it.

Original review: March 16, 2019

We wanted a medical alert device and we got Medical Guardian. Our interactions with their team were good. When I had an emergency, the response time was good as they were able to get to me within 15 minutes.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I live alone. I got a Medical Guardian and now I worry less. Everything’s also going good.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I had a different device, and I kept hearing other people’s phone calls coming in on it. I didn’t like that. I got a Medical Guardian device that has a red and blue light on it and I wear it around my neck. When I accidentally set it off once, they answered quickly. They called me wanting to know if I was all right. All in all, I feel safe with it.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I signed up for Medical Guardian to protect my mom in case she fell at home. On Dec 21 2018 my mother passed away. I called to cancel the service about a week later and they informed me they could not cancel the service until they received their equipment. I was unhappy with that and right away thought it’s another way for them to collect money when the services are not being used. I didn’t understand why they couldn’t suspend the service and give a window to return the equipment. The representative said, "We don’t even know if your mother is deceased." REALLY?!?! During my time of grief? I was so offended. And quite frankly the reason I want to cancel is beside the point. The service is in my name and I want to cancel it.

I had to spend another $40.00 to return the equipment which they received then charged me another month’s fee. I called and was told I would receive a refund within 30 days. That did not happen. I called again on 03/01/2019 to inquire about my refund for the prior month’s payment that they debited from my account and was told I would not be getting a refund for the unused service due to a restocking fee. This is after I was told my refund was in process. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

The supervisor came on the phone and addressed me with my deceased mom’s name, even though I had reminded the first person she was deceased and the account was in my name. Ultimately they agreed to “waive" the restocking fee and refund the payment they took after I had canceled and they had received the equipment. They have zero empathy and in my opinion are looking to nickel and dime people in their time of grief. I will never do business with this company again and will look for a more customer centric rather than money centric company to do business with in the future.

Medical Guardian response

Debbie, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry for your recent loss. We apologize for the difficult experience you had in canceling out your mother's account. We are currently looking into your concerns and will be in touch shortly. Have a great day!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I live alone in my townhouse and when I fell in my kitchen off a little step stool, I couldn’t get up. I fractured my pelvic bone and broke the sacrum bone. I could not get to a telephone, so I was helpless. I laid on the floor for a little over two hours calling for help before my son just happened to come by and according to the doctors, the fact that I was not able to get up and I laid there for so long was the most damaging part of it. I was in the hospital and then I spent a month in a physical rehab center till it healed and I could walk again.

My son wanted me to sell the condo and move into an assisted living facility, which I totally refused, so he insisted on the Medical Guardian button and one of the best things about it is that if I fell now, I wouldn’t have to worry about trying to get to the phone. It gives me a sense of security knowing I can push that button. I’m a homebody and I wear it all the time, in the shower and out. The first time I tested it, nobody answered the phone and when they did, they rectified the problem immediately, which wasn’t more than a minute. They had to send a signal to my base station and correct it there. Since then, I’ve had no problems when I test my device once a month. I’d recommend them.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I researched online and got the Medical Guardian alert device. But we are concerned because the charger is not keeping the device charged long enough. Although we are satisfied, we need to get our charger right.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Loved the idea and were willing to pay the higher monthly cost to have a 'smart watch' where we could communicate with mom. Everything and everyone was wonderful for 2 days. 1) Watch battery that was supposed to last 48 hours didn't last even 12, powered off at 30 % because we used the watch feature (time) 2 or 3 times throughout the day. We were told because we had 4G Att service (they never asked) and the watch only used 3G. 2) We were sent a watched that had been used before by someone before (we discovered this by looking at the call log when we signed up for the care team). Lastly they would gladly allow us to return the watch but we had to pay for shipping. I will be contacting Better Business Bureau and any other review service I can find because of these dishonest practices.

Medical Guardian response

Debora, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry that your experience with one of our products did not go as you expected. We are currently looking into your concerns and will be in touch shortly. Have a great day!

Original review: March 13, 2019

I was falling once in a while and my niece thought I should have Medical Guardian. I wear it around my neck and my niece checks it once a month. One time I was out and I had a box out in the porch. I got the box against the switch, and I picked that box up and carried it in. By the time I got it unloaded, the firemen were here. It seems to be working and I'm happy with it.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I ordered a monitoring service from Medical Guardian and received a confirmation which had my address wrong so I e-mailed the salesman right back with the right address and he e-mailed me back that he had corrected it. He did not. I called Customer Service and was told that I had to pay $350 for the equipment even when they mailed it to the wrong address. Then they send me another unit without asking or telling me. I called FedEx to trace the package and they said for me to call Medical Guardian and tell them they need to call FedEx with info on the order.

I call Guardian and tell them this and the woman I talk to said no, no we don't need to call them. Then a man came to my door with the first package (I sent the second package back) so I start to put the product together but it doesn't work so I call customer support and was told they were busy and would call me back in a few minutes. They didn't call me back for over 24 hrs. At this point I pack it up and mail it back. I paid 3 months in advance plus postage to sent the unit back which totaled $134.95 of which I was refunded only $78. They said the rest was for restocking. This is a short part of the story, it was unbelievable.

Medical Guardian response

Jan, thank you for reaching out. We apologize for the frustrating experience you had with our team. We're happy we were able to get this issue resolved for you. Have a great day!

Original review: March 12, 2019

My friend and I ordered Medical Guardian devices. It came quickly and was here in a week or less.

Original review: March 12, 2019

After my husband died, I felt like I needed something to rely on in case I would fall. I got a Medical Guardian and I feel more secure now. I wear the device and while it's fat, it's not heavy. I've also had nice interactions with the team members. I would recommend Medical Guardian.

Original review: March 11, 2019

My kids were worried about me. I live alone and I'm elderly. So I got the Home Guardian and most of the time, I don't even think about it. It's fine. In fact, it's good to have. If a person has any doubts, then they should get it.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I’m 74, I live alone, and my son worries about me. I’m not weak, I’m healthy, but everybody can fall. Medical Guardian is my first medical alert device and we got it only because it had the watch so that I can wear it on my arm although I don’t like it. It’s plastic and it makes my arm break out in sweat. It also makes my skin get red so I can’t wear it. For the one that’s around the neck, I’m gonna have to go get a silver chain and put it on because the ugly black rope it’s on is awful. I don’t like any of their products. I wish they’d be a little nicer looking. Instead of plastic or rubber or whatever the watch is made from, they should use something that doesn’t bother the skin. Other than that, they are fine.

I contact Medical Guardian once a month and they check the device to make sure it’s still working. Once, I accidentally set the alarm off and they called me. I heard the thing beeping and I wondered what it was. Then I realized it was them. What happened was that I leaned against my desk and pushed the button in without even knowing I did it.

Original review: March 10, 2019

Medical Guardian makes me feel safer since I live by myself. I had fallen several times before and one time, I wasn't able to get up. Now, I have the device around my neck and it is real handy. I even wear it in the shower. One day, I was carrying something out to my garage and I must have held something up to my chest. When I came back to my house, I heard this awful siren. I wondered what was going on. They kept asking if I was okay so I thought, "Well, I guess I tested it out." So I was okay that I accidentally set it off.

My telephone went out the other day though and I called and complained to Medical Guardian about it. I felt like they should refund me some of my money because when I didn't have a telephone, the device wouldn't work. I was without it for about two days. Another thing is that they told me that I would get a $25 card but I never got it. I kept on calling too. I had recommended Medical Guardian to another party, and they called her when I gave her name and she is signed up with them right now. But that's the only complaint I've got. Nonetheless, I'm very satisfied with Medical Guardian.

Original review: March 9, 2019

After I fell and broke my arm, it was my son’s decision to get a medical alert device. I wear this one around my neck and it kinda gets on my nerves hanging around my neck. But I go ahead and wear it. Overall, it’s all right. The experiences I've had were the two times that it went off accidentally and Medical Guardian did call me back. One time, I was leaning up against the steering wheel and it went off. Another time, I was carrying groceries in and I didn’t realize I had them up against the device. It went off then. When they called, I told them what happened. But if I had needed them, I guess they would’ve been there.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My wife has Parkinson's and she's in bed. She was afraid that at some point, she would need help and I may be sleeping. We got a Home Guardian system from Medical Guardian and now, I feel better that my wife has the device. She has a wristband for it that. We tested it and it worked.

Original review: March 8, 2019

My doctor led me to get a medical alert device for my medical problems, safety, and since I live alone. I have both the ones I wear around the neck and wrist. They also sent me something for voice activation but I'm gonna return that ‘cause I don’t think I need that. The medical problems have been taken care of now and I haven’t needed the devices. Still, everybody’s been very nice.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I had fallen twice and was in the hospital a few times for it. My daughter and my son said I had to have Medical Guardian, and I feel more comfortable having it. I have it around my neck, and though I don't have it on at night, I have it hooked on my bed. I haven’t had to use it, but I am very happy that it’s here just in case something does happen. We lost electricity one time in a bad storm and it went off for a few seconds, but it came right back on.

Original review: March 7, 2019

At my age, I got a medical alert device for security purposes and Medical Guardian looked like they had a better rating than any of the rest of them. I've got one that has GPS. That way, I can wear it when I go away from the house and I go shopping. I wear the one on my wrist and I feel more secure. Then I also always put the deal in the pouch and wear it on my waistband. So if I accidentally hit the device, I'll hear it and know I've hit it. I've never had to use it in an emergency but I never pull it off of the wristband because you can wear it in the shower. If you happen to fall in the shower, you can still use it. I've accidentally hit it a few times and I'm also supposed to check it each month, and they're always really nice when I call.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was afraid to leave my sister alone and she doesn't understand how to use my telephone. I only have a cellphone and I don't intend on getting any other kind of phone, and she couldn't understand how to use it. She needed something in case she got sick or hurt. When I was told that the Medical Guardian is only $35 for 2 medical alert systems, I got them. We check the systems every month to make sure that they're operational. My sister hasn't had any real reason to call a doctor yet and I'm happy as a lark that we never use it. But should she ever need it, then she's got it. It's important that we've got it when we need it. Also, it makes me feel a lot safer and a lot freer, so that I can walk away and do other things while she's at home by herself. I have recommended Medical Guardian to several people as well.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I was never afraid of falling since I expected I wouldn't. However, I had fallen down twice and talked to my friend who knew I had fallen about getting a medical alert device. He said I was foolish not to get one. With my Medical Guardian, I feel safe. However, it has a poor design and I'm afraid that it will fall off when I fall down. It has plastic straps on it instead of leather and plastic is smooth. I have to readjust it seven or eight times a day to make sure it doesn't fall off.

The device has two plastic things that slide up and down. Those slide off the strap or down below it. When it does, the strap comes up and off. If they had made the strap out of leather, I wouldn't have to do that at all and it would be a lot more comfortable as well. I talked about the issue to Medical Guardian's reps and they didn't care about it. They don't know what they're doing. I told them what I thought and the rep was gonna pass my concern up the ladder to some honcho but then they never called me back.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I ordered Medical Guardian for my parents and after having it for a month the Bluetooth device was not working properly. I called Medical Guardian and they said the only way to resolve the situation was to get a different box that hooked up to a landline. So I ordered that box thinking that we could keep the original watches which were very nice. When this box came I found that we had to use these cheap rubber band watches that fell apart instantly. When I called they said those were the watches that came with that box and there was nothing else they can do so I canceled the service. I immediately sent back all equipment and two months later we still had not received a refund.

I called the company and they agreed to review it and refund our money. When we got the refund it was a little bit more than half of what we had paid. I called again and they said they were charging us for the two months we had used and the two “free” months and restocking fees. I called and talked to a manager and I asked why we should have to pay restocking fees when none of this was our fault. And also we should be given our free months not charged back for them. He was very rude and said he would have to go back and listen to all the recordings before he could see if I had really had these problems. I still have not gotten this resolved. I would never recommend this company. I’m sure they’re fine if you don’t have any problems but if you have problems they do not want to refund your money.

Medical Guardian response

MaryAnn, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry that the experience you and your parents had with Medical Guardian ended up being a frustrating one. We are currently looking into your concerns and will be in touch shortly. Have a great day.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I live alone and so my children wanted me to get a medical alert device. The first one I had was giving too many false alerts so I wasn’t satisfied with it and I only had it for a short time. Then a couple of other people I knew had the Medical Guardian and they were satisfied with it, so I switched. However, I wasn’t sure my Medical Guardian device was working right the first time I tested it. With the first device I had, the other agency would respond as soon as I pressed it. The Medical Guardian device, on the other hand, takes a little bit of time. I thought that maybe it was not going through and I would think that I might get panicky if I really had something going on and I was waiting for somebody to answer. Still, the team answered, took care of anything, and they were fine. While I haven’t had any problems and I haven’t had to use the device yet, it’s good to know that it’s there in case I need to or something happens when I’m alone. I am satisfied with it.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My Medical Guardian is hooked up and ready to go. I have the device around my neck and it has made me feel safe thus far.

Medical Guardian expert review by Shelley Webb

Get 24/7 access to a committed, personal emergency response system to fit any lifestyle. In-home rates start at $29.95 per month; on-the-go rates start at $39.95.

• Personalized protection: Receive a custom medical alert system to fit your lifestyle, from lounging inside to exploring the outdoors.

• Account accessibility: Manage your account details, update payment methods, and access additional resources through an online portal.

• Simple setup: Setup and activation are made simple so you can install your device at home without any hassle.

• Reliable monitoring: Multiple U.S.-based monitoring centers ensure quick responses in emergency situations any time of day.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Guardian Company Information