4.20/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Medical Guardian

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 18, 2017

224 Medical Guardian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have had Type 1 Diabetes and related complications for 53 years and live alone. About two years ago I signed up with Medical Guardian in case of a medical emergency. In that time I have had two devices malfunction due to an inability to hear the response team as the volume would continuously decrease in volume. Both returns were received and signed for by Medical Guardian. Shortly after receiving the third device, yet again the sound issue occurred. About two weeks ago, before I even had a chance to contact Medical Guardian, I experienced a life-threatening hypoglycemic emergency. I immediately pressed the call button but received no response. I tried three or four more times before realizing, despite making monthly payments, I was on my own.

Somehow, by the grace of god, I struggled to my refrigerator and gulped orange juice until I gradually started to recover. I called Medical Guardian and told them I wanted to cancel my account. They promised to mail me a postage-free return label to return the malfunctioning device (a neck pendant I wore on my chest). I received the label and shipped it back to Medical Guardian, which again was received and signed for by them. On Monday, 10/16/2017 at 11:45 am eastern time, I received a call from Medical Guardian telling me they had only received two of the three devices. After I raised holy hell, she agreed to send me an email to electronically sign and email back to officially cancel my account.

By today, Wednesday, 10/18/2017, I still had not received the promised email. So I called Medical Guardian and was forwarded to so many departments, including ones I had already spoken with, my head started to spin. I then spoke with Juan at 12:33 this afternoon. I didn't exactly tell him I loved him, and I freely expressed my displeasure with the ineptitude of the entire return process. At no time did I personally attack Juan or curse at him, but nevertheless he chose to hang up on me.

I finally received the promised cancellation request form via email, but only AFTER complaining to a supervisor, Sabriyyah, who contradicted the information I received in Monday's phone call, and told me I could NOT electronically sign and email back the form; I had to print, sign, and either fax or mail the form back to them. I was still seething with anger at this poor excuse for customer service and I called Medical Guardian back again, asking to speak with Juan and demand a personal apology from him. The rep I was speaking with informed me he was unable to reach Juan, probably because Juan was on the phone with another customer. Yep, you guessed it; Juan never did call and apologize. I close by saying that I thank god that I am now using Bay Alarm Medical, and I no longer feel my life is in jeopardy. It is my sincere belief that Medical Guardian should be ashamed of themselves.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have a pulmonary hypertension and COPD. I'm in a retirement center and they offered Medical Guardian in our room. They have a mini drone that would be right there to ring it if you need it. It's nice knowing that when you're in the shower and if you were to have problems you have the device. I was pleased with the company and I would still be using Medical Guardian if it hasn't been decided that I move and it is going to be offered.

Medical Guardian response

Linda, thank you for the kind words. Your retirement center made a wise choice by offering Medical Guardian services.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The Medical Guardian team was nice when I called them once or twice and when I tested the system, they answered right away. But the medical alert device was expensive and I don't have it anymore. I have a different service now and it's reasonable and better than the Medical Guardian.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for the review. We're sad to see you go, but hope that you'll consider us again in the future if your experience with your current company does not live up to your expectations.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I'm a 90-year-old living in a retirement community. I figured it would be a good idea to have something that would help me if I fall or have a problem that I couldn't help myself with. Since I’ve had the Medical Guardian alert system, it gave me confidence. The alert is in a pouch on my belt and I place it into a charger at night. I also have a wrist device even during sleep that would call if I needed it. I call Medical Guardian once a month just to test the alert.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for the review. We're happy to be able to give you additional confidence and peace of mind in your everyday life.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have Erdheim–Chester, a tumor on my heart, I'm out of breath a lot and I also had a pacemaker put in. I'm living alone and my daughters panicked so they wanted me to get a medical alert device. I got the device from Medical Guardian and occasionally, I've either tested it or it wound up being tested because it was accidentally turned on. I always got a quick response and the Medical Guardian team was very nice. Since using this medical alert device, I'm comfortable to go in the car somewhere knowing that I'm covered. Overall, having the Medical Guardian makes me feel that I could function without worrying much, and not have my daughters worry either.

Medical Guardian response

Vivian, thank you for the review. We're happy to provide both you and your daughter with additional peace of mind, both in the home and while you're out and about.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My mother doesn’t have any major health issues, but because she's now 83, we decided to get a Medical Guardian for her just for peace of mind. Dealing with their team has been pleasant and easy. It’s a good experience and I would recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Maxine would sometimes fall down so we decided to get a medical alert and we got Medical Guardian. However, we never had to use it and we had to quit because we had trouble with the connection. Their team tried to help me, I did what they told me to do but I figured the problem was with the very rural area we live in. We don't have it any longer nevertheless, we had a good experience with them.

Medical Guardian response

Wanda, we're sorry that we couldn't service Maxine at her location, but are happy we were able to provide you both with a positive experience overall.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I was in the hospital. I had a blood clot in my lungs and almost died. I was away from home for three months, between the Shaire Center and the hospital, back and forth. My son was the one who found Medical Guardian and decided which to get. I sure do feel secure with it. About two weeks ago, the phone woke me up. The caller wanted to know if I was alright. I said yes and that I was asleep. Then he explained to me what had happened. He said that I must have got tangled up the medical alert device. It's around my neck. I hope that I don't do that again. I'm glad he called in, though. He was very nice.

Medical Guardian response

Barbara, thank you for the kind words. We're happy to offer you added security in your home.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

When I called the company, I was very explicit about my needs. I needed a system for my husband which is a two way system, and one which he could hear the operator from anywhere in our apartment, and one which the company's operator could hear him from anywhere in our apartment. Our apartment is approximately 50 feet by 40 feet. I had a system about ten years ago for my Mom like that, and I could talk with the operator from the basement, from the attic, and from anywhere in the house.

I also told them that I wanted both a watch and a pendant. Well, first, they took 3 months' service from my account!!! It was not clear that this would occur when I ordered the devices. Then I was quite surprised when the unit arrived with only a pendant. I was even more surprised when the operator could not hear me farther than about 30 feet from the base! Now I'm told that it may be up to 30 days before I get a refund. So I am not a happy customer.

Medical Guardian response

Pastor C.S., we thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the frustrating experience you and your husband have experienced. We wanted you to know that we are currently reviewing this situation and one of our managers will be calling you back to discuss with you shortly.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

My knees were shot and I can't walk good that I fall sometimes. My daughter takes care of all my affairs and she liked Medical Guardian. She thought it was good so we took it. The representatives were knowledgeable and friendly. I'm satisfied with it and it worked very good for me.

Medical Guardian response

Theodore, you are lucky to have a daughter who really cares about you and your well-being. We thank you for the kind review and hope that we will continue to offer you and your family peace of mind going forward.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I got Medical Guardian for home safety. My experience with their team has been perfect. They delivered exactly what I expected and have continued to do so.

Medical Guardian response

Linda, we're happy that you've had such a positive experience with Medical Guardian. We're happy to be able to offer you safety in your home.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I got my mom a medical alert device due to her age and I chose Medical Guardian because of the distance she needed for being outside. However, as soon as the purchase got processed, somebody hacked my mom’s card. It’s either somebody that worked for Medical Guardian or somebody that got into their system. The very first charge that went through was from Pennsylvania. And since her card was no longer good, Medical Guardian called to check on that. Other than that, it's worked well. They did what we needed to have done and we haven't had any problem.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Having Medical Guardian makes me more secure and I don’t have to worry about not reaching the phone. I'm getting old and I know I’m going to fall down some time. My wife and I have two senders and one receiver. I've had no problems with it but I push the button by mistake every now and then and then they call.

Medical Guardian response

Eldon, thank you for the review. We are happy that we provide additional security to you and your wife in your home.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I'm 94 years old and pretty well housebound so I decided to get a medical alert device from Medical Guardian. They sent me the wristband a year ago. I called them last Saturday to tell them that the button on the wristband popped out, and when I tried to replace the button, it wouldn't go back in. We're trying to get a new wristband and Medical Guardian promised to send but it hasn't arrived yet. Medical Guardian is very slow to respond. I called them again yesterday and this morning. Someone tried to call me and I tried to call back because I wasn't able to answer the phone at the time. I had to wait about 10 minutes for someone to answer. Finally, I just got disgusted and hung up. Right now, I have a very sour taste in my mouth for this Guardian business. And I'm getting really ticked off and if something doesn't happen here pretty soon, I might cancel the whole service.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry your experience has been less than optimal in your recent calls to customer service and in getting a replacement wristband sent out. We value your feedback and want to make sure we are meeting your needs in every way. We'll be reaching out to discuss your specific situation further. Thanks again and have a lovely day!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I have a condition where I have fainting spells and I can get dizzy. I felt I needed that extra assurance of the Medical Guardian service just in case I needed some assistance in my home. In addition, they seemed like they had good customer service and good reviews so, I chose them. I have the Classic plus the Mobile. I have the mobile unit that I can take in the car, and I also have the lantern that I wear in the house. I used their system when I had to go to the hospital last September and it worked perfectly. Another time, my daughter used it to check on me because my phone was out of order and she couldn't get ahold of me. We were able to use the system to communicate to each other and it's been working well. Also, I have dealt with their reps and they're good. I'm very pleased and I would recommend Medical Guardian.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I cancelled my service more than one month before annual renew payment due. They charged my credit card anyway. I did not receive the label to return the product. I never used the service. Now they will consent to a partial return of payment after they receive the entire unit.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I kept calling my daughter every time I fall. So she got a Medical Guardian device for me. It's really comfortable and most of the time, I don't even notice wearing it. I've got out of the hospital for the second time this week, so I'm keeping it in case I need it. My experience with Medical Guardian has been convenient and I'd recommend them.

Medical Guardian response

Genevive, we're happy to be able to offer you and your daughter peace of mind now that you're out of the hospital and back at home. Thank you for the kind words.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I will be 96 years old in October and I’m totally on a walker. When I need help, I need help quick and that’s why my daughter put me on to this Medical Guardian device. I use it especially through the night, which is the one time I used it. I fell and was laying on the floor at 4:15 in the morning. I punched my button and Medical Guardian contacted my fire department in West University in Houston, Texas. Within five minutes or maybe less, someone came and asked if I needed help. I have a Knox-Box on my front door but they couldn’t get in.

Some people are running around the house flashing lights in all my windows. They tried to find a window but they couldn’t come in. My daughter lives just a block from me, so they notified her. She brought the paramedics in the back door and that’s how they put me in the ambulance. I was bleeding from the nose really bad and had blacked out. I had to stay in the hospital for six days. Had it not been for that, I don’t know. I cannot get up once I fall. The other time I’ve talked to the Medical Guardian Team was when I’ve sat at a table and pushed the button by mistake. They immediately came in and asked if I was alright.

The medical alert device I use is not a mobile one. It’s a white thing with a little battery stand. It’s the one that they tell me that would work when I'm out of the city. The only discomfort I have from it is the heavy thing that goes around my neck. It itches and sticks to my neck. Overall, everything is working fine and I feel safe with my Medical Guardian device.

Original review: July 28, 2017

After my father passed away in May, we decided my mother should have a medical alert device for her safety. Because my mother is still active, I ordered the device that has a GPS and a fall detector. Less than one week after I registered her account, I received a call at work saying they were sending emergency medical service (EMS) to my mother's home. I called a neighbor and asked he check on mom. He arrived at the same time as EMS and my mother wasn't home. I was panicked, so I called Medical Alert. Because the device has GPS, I asked them the location of my mother. They told me mom was in North Olmsted, Ohio, which is several miles from my mother's home.

I asked them why they sent EMS to her home in Cleveland, Ohio, and they couldn't offer an explanation and said they would look into it and call me (which never happened). I called her cell phone several times, and she didn't respond. I was panicked because I didn't know if she was OK. She finally called me back, and thankfully, she was fine. I called Medical Guardian again, and told them I wanted to return the device because it didn't work. I was told that was fine, but that I would still have to pay for three months for the trial period, because that's their policy. Dismayed, I told them to send me another device, which they did. However, when I received it, I decided I wasn't confident and decided to return that one as well.

I called Medical Guardian and explained all of this and told them I wanted a full refund. I was told I would not receive a refund, because "that's their policy." I then called my credit card company to dispute the charge. After several months, I received a full refund. A few days after that, I received a bill from Medical Alert for the three months. I called Medical Alert again, and I was told that just because the amount was charged back by the credit card company, doesn't mean anything, and that I still owed them the money. So, I called the credit card company and I was told that Medical Guardian never responded to their inquiries about the dispute, so the amount was charged back and refunded to me. Kudos to the credit card company, they did a great job, but they couldn't do anything else for me. So, now my only recourse is the Attorney General's Office and the BBB.

Medical Guardian response

Cheryl, thanks for reaching out. We did want to apologize for your poor experience and want you to know that we take your feedback seriously. One of our billing department supervisors reached out shortly after this review was posted on Friday. Per his notes, it appears he was able to resolve your issues, but feel free to reach back out if you have any other needs or concerns Thanks again and have a lovely day!

Original review: July 26, 2017

I live alone and my son got me a Medical Guardian medical alert device. I wear the device around my neck and it's comfortable. And since having it, I feel more confident. It's been a fine experience with Medical Guardian.

Medical Guardian response

Jennie, thanks for the kind words. We're happy to provide you and your son with additional confidence while you're at home.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Evelyn had a stroke and she fell in her bedroom. She lives alone and is off-balance and so she needed something to be next to her if something happened. Her previous medical alert device didn't work and so she switched to Medical Guardian. Now, she wears the necklace device all the time. It seems very comfortable when she wears it. She also wears it in bed. That way, if she falls out of the bed, she'll have her device on her. When I help her get a shower, we take the device off then put it back on. Since using Medical Guardian, she has been getting her strength back and is getting to be independent. When I'm away from the house, I worry about Evelyn and so, it's been great having Medical Guardian.

Medical Guardian response

Katie, thank you for the review. We're happy that Evelyn has been getting back to being independent. We did just want to point out one device feature to be aware of with our devices. The necklace that she wears is highly water resistant and can be worn in the shower (and in a tub under 3 feet of water for up to 30 minutes). We only ask that our necklaces and wristbands not be worn in chlorine or saltwater. Feel free to contact our customer service team if you have any additional questions.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I had some heart surgery March of last year. My wife passed five years ago so I was alone. I had my daughter and son-in-law move in with me but they’re away during the day. So, I thought it would be good to have something that I could hit if I had a problem. I have a vision impairment. I’m not blind but I have trouble reading. So my son and son-in-law did the research for me and came up with Medical Guardian. They made a recommendation and I got Medical Guardian. I have the one that’s hanging around my neck with a whistle and a few other items. We tested it once which was really brief but it worked fine.

Medical Guardian response

F, thank you for the review. We hope you never need our services but hope to offer you peace of mind while your family is away during the day.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I live by myself and my daughter forced me to wear a help button. Medical Guardian’s response was right on target when I pushed the button by accident. It happened twice. I’m very satisfied and I recommend it.

Medical Guardian response

Your daughter had the right idea Joee.Thank you for the kind words and recommendation.

Original review: June 25, 2017

My aunt is 101 years old and has moved to Florida with her granddaughter, which is about four miles away. But we would go over there constantly and we'd find her incoherent. She almost set the house on fire twice and she was constantly falling. The first time she fell, it took a while for people to get there. So I told my wife that we had to get her an alert system and we chose Medical Guardian. I liked that the unit would still go off even if there was no electric and telephone. A satellite ran it and it's one of the features that I liked. The price wasn’t bad either and she’s handling the bill.

Initially, I just gave them a call and we tested it. I’m pretty knowledgeable about setting that stuff up and it was just a five-minute job. She has both the wrist band and the necklace. The batteries are supposed to last 32 hours, if the electric goes off. However, older people don’t like these things hanging around their neck or their wrists. A lot of times, I would see her keeping it in her hands instead of letting it hang down like a necklace. She actually set it off accidentally a couple of times. She panicked and although she was on the phone with them, she called us. We had to run over there. Medical Guardian’s representatives were very polite and respectful about everything. They didn’t care that she had set it off accidentally.

There were also a couple of times where she took the necklace off and left it on the bed. Then she fell on the floor. She had to bang on the floor till somebody came. But other than that, the device is very good and it has worked fine. She has used it two or three times. We've had no problems with billing either. It's about $36 a month and is taken out once every three months right out of her checking account.

With somebody so far away, whether it's 4 or 14 miles, you'd wanna get right over there. But with the Medical Guardian, they always have my phone number. I could see exactly what’s going on if they had an ambulance there before I jump out of bed and go at two in the morning to the hospital. So, it’s given us peace of mind. It was much better on us and I have recommended it to a couple of people.

Original review: June 23, 2017

My wife was gonna be home alone a lot while I was taking care of stuff. I looked at a couple of medical alert devices. Then, I went with Medical Guardian for it was the least expensive. However, we returned it because there was gonna be somebody at home with her all the time.

Original review: June 22, 2017

My mother is in an assisted living and the Medical Guardian we got for her is an extra protection that she uses. She fell not having an alert necklace before and it scared her that's why we went ahead and got her one. And everything seems to be going fine. We also test the device once a month and the team members from Medical Guardian responded quickly. My mother used a previous service before when she was living alone but we switched to Medical Guardian once she moved where she's now because she didn't have to have her phone line with Medical Guardian.

Medical Guardian response

Thanks for the review Kim. We're happy to be able to give you and your mom the flexibility of a medical alert system without the need for a home phone.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I care for my elderly mother and I'm home alone with her, so I wanted to make sure I could get help if anything happened to me and she wouldn’t be left alone. I got Medical Guardian's medical alert pendant, which gives me peace of mind. However, I will have to return it because it's too sensitive. I set it off all the time for certain kinds of abrupt movement. But every time I set it off, their response time has been great.

Original review: June 16, 2017

My father is 99 years old and I got a Medical Guardian for him. He had the one for the wrist and it went kaput, so he tried the one for the neck. However, it quit working and so he's back to the wristband. Both of the devices have broken at different times and I know how careful he is with things. Also, when we tested the medical device, their response was fine but it took a little bit of time. Other than that, the experience was great.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I am a brittle type 1 diabetic with vision problems and other assorted concerns. I'm also out in the far suburbs in central Oregon, 5 miles away from anything and by myself during the day, so having a medical alert is a need. I had an old medical alert provider but I switched to Medical Guardian because I don't have to calibrate and call every month to ensure it's working. Medical Guardian sends the device working and it does. I got their Premim plan and the price is very reasonable. I can also bring the device with me and leave the house so, that's really nice. In addition, their staff has been excellent, friendly and ready to answer questions. On the other hand, the device is about the size of a computer mouse and it'd be nice to have it smaller. I'd love to have something on my wrist but other than that, I'm happy with Medical Guardian.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I live in Gonzales and my son lives in Salinas. The previous device that I had from Medical Guardian will only go 600 feet away from the house, so I switched to the one I have now. But I liked the previous device because it was smaller. The current device on my neck is bigger but it will help me when I’m away from home. I haven’t had to use it and I hope I never have to, but it’s nice to have around. It’s handy and I’m comfortable because I have it. As far as service, I’m having a problem with the green light that keeps going on and off. On Saturday, it woke me up at two o’clock in the morning. I charged it, so it was okay. Then last night before I went to bed, it told me again to charge it. I just put it on right now after charging it for eight hours and it’s still blinking. It’s annoying. I'm supposed to charge it every four days. It's not working right.

Medical Guardian Company Information