4.2/5 (955 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. You can choose from a range of devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Its products include mobile devices, home-based systems and a medical alert smartwatch. Medical Guardian offers fall detection as an add-on for every system it sells except the Freedom 2.0 smartwatch, which hasn’t been released at the time of publishing.

Pros

• Month-to-month contracts available
    • Transparent pricing
    • Fall detection available
    • Companion app

Cons

• Upfront fees on some packages
    • No free trial period

Bottom Line

Medical Guardian systems connect to a monitoring center that can send help 24/7. You can get a price break if you opt into an annual billing cycle, but upfront fees are required for some products, such as the Mini Guardian.

Top Medical Guardian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The device worked very well for my mother. … It allowed her to stay independent much longer because if she fell help would be on the way immediately. They always called me at home...

Verified

I'm 82 years old, living alone and I have issues as well as a pacemaker. ... I have their device around my neck and by the bed. During the day, I have my Medical Guardian watch on...

Medical Guardian alert systems

What is Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian is a medical alert company focused on products that benefit older adults who spend most of their time alone. The base unit and/or wearable device are included as part of each medical alert system plan, with additional equipment available.

Medical Guardian offers six different service packages, including all-in-one wearable and in-home systems with fall detection and two-way speakers. In-home alert devices have ranges up to 1,400 feet. On-the-go devices have a maximum battery life of seven days, depending on the device.

How does Medical Guardian work?

Medical Guardian alert systems are designed for at-home or on-the-go use. With either type of system, when you press the medical alert button, you are connected to a 24/7 medical monitoring center.

If Medical Guardian cannot confirm your safety after the alert system is activated, the operators quickly dispatch emergency medical services to your exact location.

The monitoring center does not hold information on your medical history, but it does have access to any notes you have chosen to share in your profile and can get you the help you need, whether it’s sending an ambulance for crisis care or contacting people you know for help in a nonemergency situation.

Medical Guardian monitoring centers are FM-approved and UL-listed, which means its emergency dispatch services meet specific safety and reliability standards. Medical Guardian monitoring centers also hold TMA Five Diamond certifications for operator training and ESA certifications for providing excellent emergency services.

Medical Guardian costs

Medical Guardian equipment fees are generally required for packages where you buy the equipment, but packages with leased equipment don’t have these initial fees. When available, the fall detection upgrade adds $10 a month to the monitoring fee.

Plan typeEquipment costMonthly feeOptional fall detection
    Classic GuardianLease$0$29.95
    Equipment cost$0$99.95$124.95$0$124.95Unavailable
    Monthly fee$29.95$34.95$39.95$44.95$39.95Unavailable
    Optional fall detection

Medical Guardian devices

In addition to extra services like fall detection, Medical Guardian plans can come with multiple accessory devices. These devices may be included as part of your package or for an additional monthly fee.

• Neck pendants: Water-resistant medical alert pendants include adjustable lanyards and have ranges between 600 and 1,300 feet, depending on which system you choose.
    • Wrist buttons: Similar to a watch, these water-resistant help buttons can be worn around your wrist.
    • Wireless wall buttons: Mounted wall buttons can be strategically placed throughout high-risk areas in your home. Wall buttons have a range of coverage up to 500 feet and wirelessly connect to a Medical Guardian monitoring center. Voice-activated wall buttons are also available.
    • Lockboxes: With a lockbox, emergency responders can gain access to your home without causing any damage to doorways. Lockboxes come free with annual subscription plans and can be added to any plan for an additional charge.

Medical Guardian FAQ

Is Medical Guardian covered by Medicare?
    Original Medicare does not cover medical alert devices, but some Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) will partially reimburse you for your medical alert system costs.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system?
    No, you do not have to sign any contracts to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system. The company offers monthly, quarterly and annual payment plans.
    What is Medical Guardian’s return policy?
    You can call to cancel at any time, but Medical Guardian’s return policy states that any leased equipment must be returned to the company for the cancellation to take effect. Any remaining time left in the service plan period is refunded. Restocking fees may apply.
    Where are Medical Guardian monitoring centers located?
    Medical Guardian’s monitoring center is 100% U.S.-based, but the company doesn’t disclose a more specific location. Its services are available in all 50 states, though.
    Do Medical Guardian emergency response services require a landline?
    Only the Classic Guardian package requires a landline. All other Medical Guardian plans can run on a cellular network.
    Does Medical Guardian offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, Medical Guardian provides a warranty against wear and tear. It also offers a Protection Plan that covers any costs related to a lost, stolen or damaged device. This optional plan can be purchased when you buy the system.

Is Medical Guardian worth it?

Medical Guardian alert systems can be a smart option for anyone with a critical medical condition or people who are at risk of falling or in recovery from a significant health event. Compare its products and services with those from other medical alert companies to make sure you’re getting the right system for your or your loved one’s needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

The customer service is excellent from purchasing to installing. The sales rep and customer service took their time, researched and made sure all tests were performed correctly. Unfortunately the fall button failed the test and they must send out a new one. I am still wearing it in case I do fall. It allows me to push the button, if I pass out it will be of no use. Customer service promptly shipped a new button to me. I would recommend Medical Guardian to others because of their fantastic customer service and the cost is reasonable. I did extensive research and Medical Guardian was always at the top of the recommendation list.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I've been very pleased so far. Had one mishap where accidentally hit the button and they responded immediately. A couple weeks ago, got a call from them to check on me... I hadn't done my own check to ensure the device was working so they called me to check I'll be going to England in Sept, so that will be the real test. We shall see. For now, I'm very pleased with it. It charges easily. I can wear it either on provided lanyard or clipped to my waist. Like both ways. Not too expensive either.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

I was looking for a medical device that I could have with fall alert protection. Medical Guardian is supplying me with this protection. I was not happy with the first equipment I received but when called to set up the system, I was told of optional pieces. I am now thrilled with my small pendant and the system. Hopefully I will only have to press the alarm button once a month for a test.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I spoke to Allison. She was well informed and very polite. She answered all my questions and made me feel comfortable making my decision to go with Guardian.

I received my Mini Guardian three days ago. I charged the battery then spoke with a women who went over my instructions. Very easy to set up. Thank you, Carol

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

It is very easy to set up. We got both the wrist unit and the neck pendant, so if we get tired of one, we can switch. Three dollars more per month to add that option. We are pleased and will recommend it to our friends. I sure hope that Medical Guardian does not sell my phone number or e-mail!!! THAT would piss me

off. !!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

Our experience was great when we purchased this system. We thought we were all set and 90 year old mom felt safer in her own home. 2 years later she fell in her kitchen and pressed the button for 3 1/2 hours and got nothing. Thank God my brother came and found her. She broke her hip and is going to rehab but has expressed she is not safe at home because the device did not work. She would rather go to a nursing home than return home.

After 5 phone calls and getting different information from the employees we finally found out she was supposed to test her device. To no fault of our own we were never told that. There were no directions in the box so we had to call to set up devices. They will not take any responsibility in regards to this and only offered a restocking fee credit of 50.00. Where is the follow up for the elderly? They are very glad to take their money and be done with them. I am so appalled at the uncaring attitude of the untrained staff. Buyer beware.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Purchased a Medical Alert System for my mother, at the time 86. It was supposed to have "fall protection". After she fell, no detection, we were advised the one they sent us did not have the fall protection. I had been paying for that for almost 5 years. Last year they offered me a small credit. I always pay per year vs per month. Sadly, my mother passed away. Instead of refunding 4 months -- they told me the previous credit I was given offset any refund I would have gotten. Obviously --- they didn't care why they had given me the previous credit. Also charged me a $50 restocking fee -- which no one conveniently mentioned. I prefer to not do business with companies who don't treat customers fairly. I would not recommend Medical Guardian.

Original review: July 7, 2022

So far this unit has performed as stated. I like that the monitor is loud and easily heard. I have the additional fall monitor for my husband which enables me to go out to the pool or grocery store knowing if he falls, I will be contacted by phone.

Original review: June 18, 2022

When my dad died I notified them and was given a RMA to return the equipment. They received it 5 days later. I have provided the tracking number multiple times and they still have not processed my return almost 2 months after getting the equipment back. They are still billing me. I have contacted them several times and get a different story each time. They collected an additional payment and have not refunded it back to my card. The monitoring services were great but prepared for a nightmare when you try to cancel the service.

Original review: May 29, 2022

My husband fell and the device did not recognize that he fell. Luckily he wasn’t hurt and neighbors saw him and did help him up. This is the second time that this happened. First time I excused as he was sitting in a chair and slipped to the ground. Thought maybe he was too low recognize that he fell.

Medical Guardian Company Information