Call toll free
4.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

Medical Guardian Video
Medical Guardian Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Medical Guardian provides home and mobile medical alert systems to ensure safety anywhere. There’s no free trial period, but Medical Guardian prices are competitive, installation is easy and you can cancel anytime.

PROS

• Variety of options to fit any lifestyle
  • Automatic fall detection available
  • No long-term contract

CONS

• No free trial period

Top Medical Guardian Reviews

04/16/2019

In fact, it has come in useful for me twice. When I called them, they sent an ambulance out immediately. I don’t think I was alone for more than five minutes. It saved my life… It gives me a lot of feelings of security and I would recommend it...

05/10/2019

My children… ordered a Medical Guardian for me and it goes around my neck. When I got it just about three months ago, I fell and I pushed the button. And all the worst things happened very quickly. I got help fast. I went into the hospital… But I'm safe now.

What is Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian products can benefit older adults who spend most of their time alone. With services like activity monitoring and fall detection, Medical Guardian alert systems can also be a smart option for anyone with a critical medical condition, is hard of hearing, a fall risk or are recovering from a significant health event.

Medical Guardian offers six different service plans that can fit almost any lifestyle or budget, and system options include in-home and on-the-go portable devices. Fall detection can be included with any plan for an additional charge.

Although Medical Guardian doesn't offer a free trial period, there is no service cancellation fee, and customers receive full prorated refunds for unused time. Another plus for customers is the flexibility of Medical Guardian's monitoring agreements. Medical Guardian monitoring centers provide 24/7 emergency response. Automatic monthly tests ensure that two-way voice communication technology is always working.

At-Home Medical Guardian systems

Medical Guardian’s mobile systems all come with standard cellular connections and one-touch alert signals. On-The-Go Medical Guardian devices are portable, rechargeable, and have built-in GPS tracking.

CLASSIC GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $0.97/day
  • Range: 1,300 feet
  • Battery life: 32 hours

Medical Guardian’s Classic Guardian medical alert system is the least expensive in-home option. The package comes with a neck pendant or wristband medical alert help button and a two-way communication console with a 60-decibel base speaker. The wearable help button is waterproof, so it works in the shower or bath. The Classic Guardian system requires a landline to operate.

Power outage protection means the Medical Guardian Classic alert system will work up to 32-hours without electricity. Select between monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual payments. The annual plan is the best value and includes a free month of service, free second button, free lockbox, free ground shipping and free equipment for new customers.

HOME GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $1.12/day
  • Range: 600 feet
  • Battery life:30 hours

Medical Guardian’s best value for an in-home system is the Home Guardian. Home Guardian comes with a wearable medical alert button and base station. The wearable alert device can be worn on a neck pendant or wristband, and the base station has a 60-decibel speaker and a LED display screen that shows the date, time, temperature, signal strength and battery indicators. The wearable alert device can be worn on a neck pendant or wristband. Equipment is free with subscription.

Home Guardian uses a nationwide cellular network that wirelessly connects with the base station and wearable emergency button. Power outage protection has a 30-hour back-up battery. You also have the option to select monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual billing. Customers who choose annual billing get a discount rate, plus a free month of service, second button, lockbox and ground shipping at no extra cost.

FAMILY GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $2.58/day
  • Range: 1,300 feet
  • Battery life: 32 hours

Family Guardian is Mobile Guardian’s most advanced home medical alert system. The Family Guardian system includes an 80-decibel base system for two-way communication, three in-home activity sensors, and a wearable emergency button. Select from a neck pendant or black wristband wearable alert devices — both waterproof and free with subscription.

Activity sensors combine the benefits of medical alert devices and activity monitoring through the Family Guardian app, letting caregivers remotely check on loved ones with their smartphones, tablets, and desktops or laptops. Power outage protection ensures the device will work up to 32 hours if the power goes out. Medical Guardian’s Family Guardian system uses cellular service, so no landline is required.

On-The-Go Medical Guardian systems

MOBILE GUARDIAN
  • Starting price:$1.61/day
  • Battery life: 24 hours

Mobile Guardian is Medical Guardian’s most popular system. Mobile Guardian package comes with a standalone mobile medical alert device, choice of help button and a charging cradle. Users can contact emergency operators through the portable device’s two-way speaker up to 350 feet from the device. The portable device is rechargeable and has built-in GPS technology.

Select from monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual billing cycles. The annual plan comes with a slight discount, plus it includes a free month of service, free second button, free lockbox and free ground shipping.

ACTIVE GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $1.28/day
  • Battery life:up to 5 days

Active Guardian is Medical Guardian’s all-in-one mobile medical alert system. Active Guardian systems include a portable medical alert device that can be worn on an adjustable lanyard. The device also comes with built-in GPS and WiFi location technology so you can feel safe if in your home, yard and around town. The wearable device is waterproof and allows direct communication with an emergency operator.

You can choose monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual subscription types. Annual subscriptions come with a free month of service, free lockbox, free ground shipping and free equipment for new customers.

FREEDOM GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $1.45/day
  • Battery life: up to 48 hours

Freedom Guardian is Medical Guardian’s newest medical alert device. Resembling a smartwatch, the Freedom Guardian features advanced location tracking, text to speech messaging, low-battery notifications, alerts, and reminders for daily tasks and weather forecasts.

Freedom Guardian is available in black or white and includes an adjustable wristband. Unlike Medical Guardian’s other medical alert system packages, Freedom Guardian costs $99 for the equipment. For monitoring service, you can select from multiple payment schedules, but the annual subscription type includes a free month of service, free lockbox and free ground shipping.

Medical Guardian cost comparison

Medical Guardian subscribers get a small discount for annual payments, plus other perks like free lockboxes and free ground shipping.

Medical Guardian systemMonthly paymentQuarterly paymentSemi-annual paymentAnnual payment
Classic Guardian$29.95$89.85$179.70$329.45
Home Guardian$34.95$104.85$209.70$384.45
Family Guardian$79.95$239.85$479.70$879.45
Mobile Guardian$49.95$149.85$299.70$549.45
Active Guardian$39.95$119.85$239.70$439.45
Freedom Guardian$44.95$134.85$269.45$494.45

563 Medical Guardian Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My father-in-law and mother in law had a medical alert device but it was screwy. My father in law had dementia and he would love to press buttons and he pressed his button a lot. The nice people would come on and ask if he needed something or if he fell. And 99% of the time, it was always a false alarm. Then when it was a real alarm, they took so long to answer the phone. I don’t know whether it was understaffed or a bad time or that the person wasn’t trained. But I ain’t paying the money that they want if they’re not gonna perform and help me feel satisfied that I wouldn’t have to be here 24/7. That's why we changed over to Medical Guardian.

My mother in law is 83 and she’s moving slower. She knew a friend who lay on the floor for four days before her son came to visit. And she cries when she tells me about it. So, I never wanted that to happen to her. She has both the necklace and the wristband from Medical Guardian because we got this deal where the young man I was talking to initially sent them both ‘cause she didn’t know what she wanted. There was a lot of problems with the pendant. When she bent over, picked something up, it tangled and it’s a choking hazard. She doesn’t like the pendant. She has the necklace hanging on her nightstand, but she wears the wristband all the time and that is the one thing she doesn’t complain about. We absolutely have peace of mind knowing that she has Medical Guardian. We’ve also tested it and whoever is on the other end of this button comes right away, whereas the other one would be like ringing eight times.

Medical Guardian response

Penny, we're happy that your in-laws are having a positive experience with Medical Guardian and that it provides you all with greater peace-of-mind as they go throughout the day. Thank you for your review!

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Here in California, we have certain days we can water, otherwise, we can’t because of the drought. I was in the backyard on a Sunday evening watering, and I put the sprinkler down. I wasn’t pleased with its placement and I reached down to adjust it. I fell, and then from that point on, I could not get up. I lost my balance. My sister-in-law in Santa Maria had Medical Guardian, and we had been talking to her about it. But for one reason or another, we had not gotten around to it. We were just putting it off because other things were happening. But my daughter, while I was in the hospital, ordered my Medical Guardian device. I went to the hospital for about a week and then I was in the care facility for about two and a half months. It was about December when I started using it which was after I got out of the care facility.

My experience has been good. I had trouble remembering not to lean against things. One day, I was in the kitchen taking laundry out of the washing machine and I leaned against the washing machine. And all of a sudden, I had a voice talking to me, so I‘ve been very careful ever since then not to lean on things. I had a hard time convincing her that I was alright. She was very concerned. And so I had to explain to her that I had leaned on the washing machine and it had gone off accidentally. But that reassured me too that it was working.

I have to take my device off occasionally to recharge it, and I sometimes have a hard time remembering to put it back on. And I’m very careful about that really because I had an elderly friend years ago who had a necklace button and she took hers off to take a bath and she fell in the bath tub. And a few days later, they found her dead in the bath tub. So I am constantly reminded that I have to be careful to put it back on when I take it off or when it's recharging. I would encourage my friends to get Medical Guardian. I‘m 83 years old and I have a number of friends who live alone like I do and who really need it.

Medical Guardian response

Barbara, thank you for the review. We're happy that you've had a positive experience with our services. Have a great weekend!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have a form of diabetes known as LADA. It's very severe and classified as 1.5. With its price, Medical Guardian seems like a very good deal. However, it doesn't offer some of the things that I personally would prefer that it did. I haven't had to actually use it because with my LADA, I also have what is called "hypoglycemia unawareness". I'm incapable of punching buttons when I'm passed out so nothing does me any good unless it calls for help when I pass out. Other than that, I've actually found that it gives a sense of comfort because I know that should I need any help, they're gonna be alerted when I hit the button. At the back of my mind, I can use the device to talk to people and ask for an officer or a fireman. Should I pass out in public, people can push the button and summon a paramedic without having to find their own cellphones. Obviously, it's not the solution to my problems, but it helps because it gives me that little extra edge of security in the long run.

What would be really good is if Medical Guardian could offer a device that will alert them if I just pass out and fall down. Also, they could have one that is a little more aesthetically pleasing. I like them, but I can see somebody saying that it doesn't match their outfit. I've often even considered the wristband, but that would be a little inconvenient. Because with the necklace, I can always slide it inside a jacket if I don't want to walk around with the thing hanging around my neck that I don't necessarily wanna explain why I have it. Otherwise, most of my friends know that I have had problems and they know to punch the button if something should ever happen. So, in that respect, it works fine for me. Moreover, the customer service has been excellent. I've accidentally set the button off a couple of times and I could talk to the people on the phone and tell them that I blew it and made a mistake. It's no big deal and they're very nice and polite people.

Medical Guardian response

Teresa, thank you for your review. We're happy that you are satisfied with your Medical Guardian device and the service you have received overall. We did want to inform you that Medical Guardian does offer devices with fall detection capabilities, which can inform emergency services of a fall if you are unable to push the button yourself. We will be in touch to discuss different device options that may better meet your needs. Have a great day Teresa!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

My husband had a very bad stroke. Though he's functioning, he's himself around the house. We got a medical alert device to be able to leave him just a little bit. Also, if he is alone and he's so scared, he can push it. Medical Guardian offered the equipment for free which was nice. The initial when they came was great. Then, they helped us through the phone to set everything up. We went with the Freedom model and it has a watch and a button. We have both but he prefers the button. The watch is kinda buzz and it irritates his skin on his wrist.

I liked the medical alert device because I can run to the store for 20 minutes and they would call me on my cell rather than calling 911. I really appreciate that because sometimes accidents happen. And I like the fact that there's a speaker and I can say everything's okay. It's a safeguard just in case somebody pushes the button accidentally or if I was in the house and he just couldn't find me and he didn't know and he pushed it. They come to the speaker and ask if everything is okay. If they don't get a response on the speaker, my son and my cell number. And if they don't get an answer there, then they call 911. I really like it. I like that they don't call 911 right away. It's also got a battery just in case the power goes out. Since I live in a wind-driven area and our power does go out sometimes.

Medical Guardian has been very good. We've tested it a couple of times. They have us test it once a month to make sure everything is on the going. And because of my husband's condition, it feels secure. It's another level of security. There have been people that have come to my house and said, "What is this machine?" I have told them that I was very impressed and that they offered this equipment for free.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I underwent 2 complex spinal fusions in May. Since I live alone, I reviewed medical alert companies. The reviews for Medical Guardian were mixed but positive overall. I originally ordered their best package with coverage for outside trips and all of their devices. It was way over my budget & probably ordered under the haze of anesthesia! When I arrived home, my caregiver/friend discovered what I had ordered. She called the company and said that she needed a refund and a different package. She spoke with KATRINA in the cancellation department. Katrina was very courteous and explained my current package and less expensive packages as well. She was very understanding as to why & how the most expensive package was ordered. At the time my friend called, she had recently signed up with Medical Guardian as well and had received a special promotional deal.

Katrina said that she would immediately cancel the expensive package and give me a full refund and give me the same price as my friend for a smaller package. No fuss. No muss. I received a base unit, wrist monitor, locket monitor, and 2 wall buttons. I made several "false" alarms by hitting a wall button with my walker or inadvertently hitting my locket. They have always responded with politeness and a sense of humor about the false alarm & immediately reset my base unit. There was a power outage one morning, and the battery immediately kicked in with the base unit advising me that the power was off. I placed the wall buttons in the bathroom and bedroom. I appreciated the time and temperature functions on the base unit as well. I could call in every month to check that the unit was working as it should. When the medical bills started coming in, I decided that I had better cancel this service and others in order to pay the bills.

I was very anxious about this as I haven't had any physical therapy yet to strengthen my back muscles, no longer used my brace, and have a knee that needs to be replaced that wasn't supporting my walking in a very reliable manner. However, I did call and spoke to JAMIL in the cancellation department. He advised me that I did have the option of receiving 2 months free until I had the opportunity to see if PT could help my back & knee muscles. I was delighted as it relieved a great deal of my anxiety but kept my budget in line. I have no problems recommending this company. They are honest, easy to work with, and made it possible for me to come home from rehab and not worry about falling if I were home alone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I have Medical Guardian's device that goes around the neck and a bracelet. So far, my experience with them have been good.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I used my Medical Guardian device once or twice and their people reached out to me very fast. I was satisfied 100% with it. But I sent my device back because I couldn't afford it. I have a heart condition and I might be going for some serious heart operation. I am not gonna be around much and I have my whole family watching me when things happen. The device was great though.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

They start charging you as soon as the unit has arrived. This was a gift I ordered in advance. They told me it will NOT be charged till activation - as the other good companies operate their business. No, I was automatically billed the $30 monthly fee. When I called to cancel, I was told I could not cancel (even if it is still in the box unopened) till it was returned. IT’S NOT EVEN ACTIVATED. WHAT AM I PAYING FOR? SCAM. I paid for this product. But I couldn’t cancel?? And was getting charged before even activated. Bad customer service. The man I spoke with at the cancellation department was so rude. Basically laughing at me. WARNING- DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY DO NOT CARE. I am not just a upset customer but this is just a bad company to deal with. They were just outright rude on the phone.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have had a heart murmur for a long time. Since I now live alone, it was a good thing for me to have something. I’m quite independent. I have two children but my daughter lives in Mississippi and my son lives in Utah. I've had my Medical Guardian for a while now and my experience has been fine. Customer service was satisfactory.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I was under chemotherapy and I couldn't be left alone. Having Medical Guardian makes my kids feel better but I don't really need it. I have their device that only works at home and it only works a short distance from the home base. One time that I called Medical Guardian, it was fine except they didn't ever call my emergency service. We had to call the ambulance ourselves. It took half an hour to get here. I needed them and they did not perform. I would not have the device if it wasn't for my kids. I wouldn't recommend it.

Medical Guardian monitoring services

When you press the medical alert button, you are instantly connected to the medical monitoring center staffed with emergency call operators 24/7. The center has access to your medical history and can get you the necessary help you need, from sending an ambulance for crisis care to contacting the people you know for help in a non-emergency situation. If Medical Guardian cannot confirm your safety after the alert system is activated, the operators quickly dispatch emergency medical services to your exact location.

Medical Guardian monitoring centers are FM Approved and UL Listed, which means their emergency dispatch services meet specific safety and reliability standards. Medical Guardian monitoring centers also hold TMA Five Diamond certifications for operator training and ESA Security certifications for providing excellent emergency services.

Compare Medical Guardian features

With home and mobile medical alert systems, Medical Guardian has many options to choose when it comes to your safety and well-being. Wearable emergency pendants for in-home and on-the-go use can also be equipped with automatic fall detection technology and more.

Classic GuardianHome GuardianFamily GuardianMobile GuardianActive Guardian
Family Guardian
Mobile Guardian
Active Guardian

Medical Guardian products and services

Medical Guardian plans can be upgraded to include in-home safety sensors to monitor activity, fall alert detection, voice-activated wall buttons and the Family Guardian app. The app allows family members or caretakers to monitor a loved one's health and activity levels.

• Fall detection: Medical Guardian fall detection can be added to any plan for an addition $10 per month. Fall alert pendants automatically detect when the wearer falls and signals for help without the need to press a button. Please note, fall detection devices do not detect 100% of all falls.
  • Lockbox: Lockboxes come free with annual subscription plans or added to any plan. With a lockbox, emergency responders can gain access to your home without causing any damage to doorways.
  • Neck pendant: Water-resistant medical alert pendants can be added Medical Guardian medical alert system for added protection. They include adjustable lanyards and have depth ranges between 600 and 1,300 feet.
  • Wrist button: Similar to a watch, the water-resistance help button is worn around your wrist. Wrist buttons come standard with some packages or can be purchased separately.
  • Mounted wall button: Mounted wall buttons can be strategically placed throughout high-risk areas in your home. Wall buttons have a range of coverage up to 2,000 feet and wirelessly connect to Medical Guardian monitoring center.
  • Car charger: Medical Guardian car charges are a convenient way to ensure the battery never gets low while traveling. The car charger comes standard with the Mobile Guardian plan.
  • Protection plan: Medical Guardian’s protection plan guarantees medical alert systems’ expenses if a device is ever lost, stolen or damaged.

Medical Guardian FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system?
No, you do not have to sign any contracts to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system.
What is Medical Guardian’s return policy?
It doesn't cost anything to cancel service, and this can be done by calling Medical Guardian customer service. Medical Guardian’s return policy states any equipment provided by Medical Guardian must be returned to the company. Any remaining time left in the service plan period is refunded in up to 30 days. Some Medical Guardian complaints reference restocking fees that can apply.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Medical Guardian monitoring service?
Multiple people can be protected if the monitoring service has more than one medical help button. A second medical alert necklace or wristband is monitored for free when purchased with a Classic Guardian or Home Guardian plan.
Where are Medical Guardian monitoring centers located?
Medical Guardian monitoring centers are located in the United States, and monitoring services are available in all 50 states.
Do Medical Guardian emergency response services require a landline?
The Classic Guardian device plan is the only service that requires a landline. All other Medical Guardian service plans do not require a landline.
Does Medical Guardian offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
The Medical Guardian warranty protects any equipment provided by the company if it is defective or if the battery needs to be replaced. An optional protection plan can be purchased to cover the cost for needed repairs and replacements resulting from loss or theft.
Does Medical Guardian offer a free trial period?
Medical Guardian does not offer a free trial period.

Do we recommend Medical Guardian?

Yes. Investing in a Medical Guardian medical alert system lets you live life on your terms with an extra layer of security. Medical Guardian alert reviews indicate that in-home medical alert systems and on-the-go alert devices are reliable. Plus, the monitoring center has all of the top certifications, and Medical Guardian offers plenty of additional services and products to customize your system to your needs.

Medical Guardian Company Information