Call toll free
3.33/5
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

260 Medical Guardian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: July 7, 2018

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. The concept and company are great and so is the product. Unfortunately the charging station is so poorly designed the device fails to charge most of time. I have had the same issue with 4 different devices. The company admits there is a problem and said they are designing a new docking station but keeps selling garbage. I get alerts that my mother’s device cannot make emergency calls because battery is dead more than 50% of the time. DO NOT BUY THE Active Guardian. I am an accomplished Aerospace Engineer and assure this something that you DO NOT want to use as a life saving device for your parents. More questions, please email me and I will provide a prompt response and can provide video evidence or be willing to talk on the phone.

Medical Guardian response

Ron thank you for reaching out and for the feedback. We are sorry for the issues that your mother has been experiencing with her Active Guardian. We see that you recently spoke with one of our Customer Care supervisors on 7/13 and that she will be reaching back out this Sunday to attempt to resolve this issue for both of you. Please feel free to reply directly to this message if you have any additional needs or concerns.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 4, 2018

This company is grossly incompetent and should not be providing services to the elderly. My 78 year old mother was wearing her Medical Guardian around her neck when she had a fall in the middle of the night. She was lying on the floor and very confused and disoriented because she hit her head but she pushed the button to get help. She spoke to someone 3 different times and she told them she had fallen and could not get up. She was too panicked and confused to have a coherent conversation so they just hung up on her.

They never sent anyone to her place despite the fact that the fire department is less than 5 minutes away from where she lives. They did leave her a nice voicemail to notify her that she had contacted them. They did not even bother to call me and I am listed as her emergency contact. When an elderly person calls 3 times saying they are on the ground in the dark in the middle of the night and you do not send anyone to help them that is negligence, gross incompetence, disgraceful, and should be a crime, if it isn't already. So pathetic. Please do not trust your loved one to this company.

Medical Guardian response

Jen, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your mother's recent fall and certainly hope that she is doing OK in the aftermath. One of our Customer Care supervisors recently reached out and spoke to you about this situation. We are currently investigating this particular incident. The supervisor you spoke with will be reaching back out again shortly as promised.

Resolution response: May 4, 2018

the company responded promptly after this post and resolved the issue. I hope this issue has prompted them to handle all cancellation as smoothly as possible realizing that when most people cancel the service is mainly due to either memory/debility has worsened in a loved one or a loss of love one either one causes stress and sadness . the last thing one needs is to also experience stress ending a service that is no longer needed. thank you .

Original review: May 2, 2018

This product was purchased to assist my mom and served its purpose until I had to cancel the service as my mom no longer had capability to use. Over a 6 month period and several calls asking to cancel and being told to expect email of instructions on how to cancel turned into a nightmare... First of all each time I called they stated an "email" would be forthcoming that each time never came... Each call made to cancel resulted in me having to call again to cancel with no success. And today finally after speaking to at least 10 different reps and yelling to please let me cancel literally begging to allow me to pay this off I hope finally has ended this upsetting situation. A place in my opinion that did this is a scam for poor seniors who are vulnerable. Shame on this company... I was compelled to write this as I hope no one will have to experience what I had to just to cancel a service that wasn't needed anymore. Again shame on them.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for reaching out. We apologize for the confusion surrounding the cancellation of your mother's account. We have reviewed your situation and see that there were several mistakes on our part that prevented your cancellation from proceeding as it should have when you first called in or during your follow-up calls. Because of this, we will be refunding you all funds paid since the initial date you called in to cancel and refund the lost equipment fee you recently paid. A manager will be in touch to discuss the specifics and help resolve this situation for you. We sincerely apologize for the frustrating experience you have had and hope that we can make things right.

Original review: March 30, 2018

If ZERO stars were an option, I would give that rating. To date, we have been charged $1400 for a system that didn't work. We were overcharged the original amount quoted, then the system wouldn't work, then they refunded the incorrect amount, then - after I specifically requested that they simply close the account - they charged us $700 for the "lost" units that they had sent us. You know - the units that never worked, and that they never even once told us needed to be returned. This company is NOT trustworthy, and has no idea what they're doing. STEER CLEAR!!!

Medical Guardian response

Bryan, we thank you for reaching out and apologize for the frustrating experience you and your family had with our devices. Per our recent conversation on the matter, we will refund you the full amount paid for your mother's account once the devices in question are returned. You should have received the return label via email yesterday morning. Please feel free to reach back out if you have any other questions or concerns. Have a lovely day!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I strongly recommend against purchasing services from Medical Guardian because of their predatory and, in my opinion, unethical collections practices. I got a medical guardian device for my mother-in-law in late 2016; she unfortunately passed away late that year. In the chaos that followed (if you've ever lost a parent, I'm sure you can empathize), we lost the device and forgot that we had bought the service in the first place.

A year later, the credit card on file expired, and they called me to collect for the last month of service (she has been passed away for a year). When I told them that she passed away a year ago and that we apparently lost the device in the chaos of dealing with her belongings, they told me that I could close the account: after I paid a $350 lost device fee. They insist that they won't close the account and stop accruing monthly charges "until" the $350 fee is paid. That is an incredibly predatory collections practice.

Note that one of the services that they provide is monitoring whether the device is active and in contact with their system, but the device would have ran out of battery a year ago. We received no call from them that the device was offline. So it appears to me that they were happily collecting money from us without providing us service. Despite our having paid hundreds of dollars last year for a service that we weren't getting, they are still insisting that we also pay the $350 lost device fee and the fee for the last two months of service that they couldn't bill to my card.

I admit that we have fault for not paying close enough attention to our bank account to notice that they continued to charge us. However, they also weren't providing "any" service during this time, including the as-advertised monitoring that the device is in contact (for which I would have expected a call). I recognize that this is a complex situation, but they are even refusing to stop accruing charges on the account while I attempt to dispute this with them. I expressly told them that I want the service to end effective immediately, but they refuse to cancel the account and stop accruing monthly charges unless and until I pay the $350 lost device charge. For a company that is dealing with customers with family members often near end-of-life scenarios - in which the situation often becomes quite chaotic, their lack of compassion and predatory collections practices strike me as unethical.

Medical Guardian response

Travis, thank you for reaching out. We apologize for the frustrating experience you've had with us as of late. We will be in touch today to attempt to get this issue resolved for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I bought a Home Guardian for my 97 year old aunt. We decided to upgrade it to the Active Guardian. Last week I spent over 1 hour on the phone Tuesday - calling in from 2 separate telephones, 2 separate call in numbers and could not reach anyone. I finally called my salesperson who also tried connecting me to customer service - I WAS TRYING TO ACTIVATE THE SYSTEM. After an hour and 45 minutes I got someone who could not help me, was transferred to a manager who could not help me - who said they would have tech service call me the next day because something was not working with the unit. Wednesday - all day - no one called. Thursday, another hour and 40 minutes trying to get thru to anyone to help ACTIVATE THE SYSTEM to no avail. Friday AM I called ASAP and demanded another unit be sent out because the first one would not activate.

Last night, from 6 PM to 8 PM trying to get thru to Customer Care to ACTIVATE THE NEW SYSTEM - I again had to call my salesperson, who went to a manager, who finally got to tech service. At 8:30 tech service called me back and we activated the system. This morning the system is not functioning properly and I have been on hold again for 1/2 hour. What kind of business are you people running - Why can't anyone get through to your company any longer? Something is terribly wrong and do not tell me that people are calling in from all over to purchase your equipment. As soon as you sign up no one can reach to company to Activate or ask any questions. I think this is horrible and I ask other people that are having this issue to write in also.

Medical Guardian response

Joann, thank you for reaching out. We apologize for the delays you and your aunt have been experiencing when reaching out to Medical Guardian. We have been experiencing high call volume as of late and are actively working to address this issue. We're happy to see that your aunt's device was successfully activated on 2/12. We will be reaching out shortly to address your other concerns.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I have had the most horrible experience with this company. I ordered a unit and told it was $39.95 per month. Within 5 minutes my Visa was charged $600.00US. When I contacted them I was told it's a deal, buy 8 months get 2 free! Oh great deal! I immediately cancelled my order. The company sent out a unit anyway and now want me to pay to return it. I would NOT recommend this company to anyone. Beware.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Fall Detection Pendant - Very dissatisfied with this product. You have to pay extra for the pendant to detect a fall (about $10. a month). Received the pendant, thought all was well. Then for 9 months a fall would be detected when my 91 year old mother was sitting down, in bed or sitting at the dining room table. There was no fall. Then two days ago, she fell. Did the pendant detect the fall? NO. I was told that the pendant DOES NOT ALWAYS WORK and you must press the button on the pendant. Too bad we were not told this. Fortunately she was not hurt and I was in the next room. Will not be continuing with this company. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting and determine if you want to pay the extra for something that is not guaranteed to work.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry that your mother had such a difficult experience when she recently fell. We're happy to hear that she was not hurt. You are correct that fall detection does not work 100% of the time and the button should be pushed if someone is able to do so. This is also true our competitor's fall detection products as well. We will have a member of our cancellation team reach out to discuss your mother's account. Thanks again for reaching out and have a good day!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

It takes over an hour to finally talk to a real person when calling customer support. I paid for and was promised overnight delivery, but it did not arrive. When I finally talked to a real person I was told it did not ship out in time for overnight delivery even though I ordered it early in the morning. My neighbor's wife died Christmas day and he is 90 years old, alone and prone to falling. I am now faced with another three days of checking on him every few hours to make sure he is OK.

Medical Guardian response

Richard, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry that your experience so far has been less than ideal. Looking at your account, your overnight delivery fee has been refunded and you should see the money back in your account in 3-5 business days.It looks like the unit was successfully activated yesterday, but feel free to reach out again with any other questions or concerns.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I wear my Medical Guardian device around my neck 24 hours a day. I am old and on a walker and I live by myself. I punched the button once when I fell going to the bathroom and I had an ambulance and even the fire department out in front. They all came to the house and picked me when they found me and away they went. It was really neat. I like Medical Guardian, I'm happy with it and it's a good deal.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Spent hours researching companies, paid for service for a year, received the system... and found out only then that the ATT cell service was not strong enough in the area. Now have to mail it back and wait for them to refund us. Very unprofessional.

Medical Guardian response

James, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry that coverage was not sufficient at your location. Unfortunately, coverage maps cannot account for all environmental factors. Once you receive the return label and mail back the unit, will refund you the full amount paid.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I live alone and my daughter and granddaughter thought that a medical alert would be wise to have in case something happened if I fell. I wear a Medical Guardian and it's fine. I like it because I go out in the yard and work there in the summertime. It’s nice to feel comfortable about that because sometimes I trip around the yard a little bit. The only thing I don’t like about the bracelet that I have now is the plastic strap that seems to be underneath it sometimes. But I’ll use it until when I make a change at the end of the year then I’d request one that has the velcro on it, which is what I like. I check the device, but not every month, and it’s been great. Also, I’ve told several of my friends who live alone that they need something like Medical Guardian.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I have Medical Guardian and it doesn't give me any trouble. I'm wondering if I'm spending money for nothing, but my kids want me to keep it. Though I'm not really good about checking in and testing it, I know it's there if something happens. I don't take it off except when I take a shower. It's like part of my skin.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

The Medical Guardian reps were very understanding and very friendly during the set-up of the device for my mother. We got it because of her age, her fragility, and her sickness. As long as the unit works, I'm happy.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have heart trouble and I'm by myself. My daughter picked Medical Guardian for me and she doesn't want me to be without it. Though I've not had to use it, Medical Guardian is something that's good if one needs it.

Medical Guardian response

Your daughter had the right idea by picking a Medical Guardian device for you. While we hope you never need it, we hope that we can provide you both with additional peace of mind!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I ordered the Medical Guardian system and wasn't able to get it set up because of a defective part. I returned the entire package, per their request, and they sent me another complete package. I ended up sending the second package back because I couldn't get it set up and had to wait on the phone for up to 30 minutes, while they blasted horrible music in my ears. I have yet to receive my money back. I wasn't able to use the system and prepaid for 3 months. The original order date was Sept 29, 2017 and I haven't heard from them as yet. I refuse to sit on the phone for 30 minutes each time I've called.

Medical Guardian response

Peggy, thanks for reaching out. We will be in touch about your refund shortly. No need to call back in. Have a lovely day!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I had a knee operation and there’s always a risk of falling. I’ve had Medical Guardian for six months and since then, I feel fine. My everyday life is busy, but the device is comfortable to wear on the wrist and around the neck. Also, when I go to sleep, I leave the device plugged into the charger. However, I’m ambivalent about my experience with Medical Guardian. I’ve tested the device several times and it took the team about four minutes to answer. Their service should improve, that they shouldn’t take long to respond when I call.

Medical Guardian response

Larry, thanks for reaching out. Typical response times are under 60 seconds. The time you mentioned is well above the standard response time. With that in mind, one of our Customer Care Support Team members will be reaching out to check on your service and make sure everything is running smoothly going forward.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Continued to take money from account even after cancelling service AND returning equipment. Company denies equipment ever returned. Cancelled account in August and this company continues to remove money from checking account as of December. Company refuses to return stolen monies by denying that equipment was returned. Just plan on paying these thieves until you close your bank accounts.

Medical Guardian response

Colin, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry this situation has been so frustrating, but we wanted to assure you that we are addressing your concerns to make this situation right. One of our Customer Care Supervisors reached out today and hopes to connect with you soon .Have a great day!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

We got Medical Guardian for my husband who has peripheral neuropathy. And when I found that one came with another, I was pleased. The rep was very courteous and answered my questions to my satisfaction. He was a good sales person. However, there is one thing that I'm concerned about. We have a yard that is far across at the back. I have found that out in the far corners of the yard, I don't get service. It says the coverage is 600 feet and I don't get nearly that far from that. It's quite possible that I might take another fall and I don't want to be out of range.

Also, the only thing I don't like about it is that it's not comfortable around my neck. If I have something with a collar on it doesn't bother me. I can tuck it under the collar. If I don't have a collar on, it's a little irritating. But they're easy to pick up and put on and are not intrusive. I have talked to more than one friend about Medical Guardian and have advised them to get one. One of them asked most of the information that I had and I relayed unto her.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I'm living alone and because of my age, I've been having medical alert devices as a preventive measure. I have Medical Guardian and it’s good anywhere. It's easy to deal with and to have but I can't put it any place else except wear the device as a necklace. It sits on the chest but it hit things and goes off when I bend over, which is the only problem I run into.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

The only occasion I have used the medical alert device from Medical Guardian was when I fell. This is my first medical alert device. They responded in a timely manner and it was a very successful experience.

Medical Guardian response

Juanita, we're happy that we were able to assist you in your time of need.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I had Medical Guardian for one year as a preventive measure. Everything was fine but I decided to cancel their service because my device from the company I have now has a little monitor that I can carry with me and speak to.

Medical Guardian response

Thanks for the kind review Edward. So you are aware, we also offer portable units with GPS functionality. Our newest model is the Active Guardian, an all in one device with a five-day battery life. Please keep us in mind in the future if things don't work out with your current provider.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I’m 83 years old and I’ve had two hips replaced, so I want to make sure that I have potential protection wherever I go. If something happens, I want to be able to hit a button and get somebody here. I got the Medical Guardian and several months ago, I threw the thing on the bed, and it clicked off. It alerted the fire department and the fire department could not find where I was. I was in a motel and they had to examine the residential areas within two blocks to find out where I was. It means that they can’t tell where I am within a two block radius or even hundred yard radius. Also one time, I went out to my friend. I put the device on and they couldn’t figure out where I was. I was in Carefree, Arizona in a well-known resort. I’m too lazy to have the device sent back, but I got to find one of these things that has a GPS like my golf course watch.

On the other hand, their reps have been fine and have attempted to be helpful. I was on a golf course, taking a couple of swings and all of a sudden, there were beeping sounds which was a little annoying, but once I did what I was supposed to do, they resolved the issue. But it’s their technology that I’m objecting to. I don’t use their device much anymore because it stinks. I have my cell phone with me all the time, so if I have a problem, I hit 911. The executives at Medical Guardian got to get their act together. If not, me and a bunch of other people would be leaving them.

Medical Guardian response

Edward, thanks for the feedback. Your device, the Premium Guardian has been replaced by a new and improved unit, the Active Guardian. It has better GPS location abilities and works with area wifi location hotspots to more quickly and accurately pinpoint your location. You don't need wifi in your home to use this feature. It also has significantly improved battery life compared to your Premium Guardian. We will be reaching out to discuss this option with you. Have a lovely day.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

A friend of mine had Medical Guardian. She had a reason to use it and was very satisfied, and that made me impressed. I have done some falling so I thought about getting one for myself. I have a watch type and a necklace and I make sure that I have them at all times. I feel very confident with them. I've recommended Medical Guardian to others.

Medical Guardian response

Gwen, thank you for the review. We're happy that we were able to be of service to your friend when she needed us. We hope that we can provide both of you with peace of mind in your everyday lives.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I live alone and my family does not live near so I needed a medical alert device for preventive measure. I went online and researched all of them, and I picked Medical Guardian which I thought was the best for the money. Now, I feel more confident having it and it's a cushion in case anything does happen. So far, it has been very pleasant and everyone is responsive. It has been a good experience and I'm satisfied with their service. I’ve recommended it to three friends and they have also gotten it.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you so much for the kind review Ann. We're happy to hear the confidence that we're able to give you in your everyday life. Thank you for keeping us in mind for your family and friends as well.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

After contacting several companies about medical alert systems I chose Medical Guardian. Their people are above compare and went out of their way to explain their services. Like many of the other companies they did not try to sell me more than I needed and their overall pricing was better than the rest that I talked to. This company and their people are the best!!!

Medical Guardian response

Kent, we strive to offer world class customer service and make sure our customers get the right device for their needs, not necessarily the most expensive device. We're happy to have hit the mark with you. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I have a little bit of secondary Parkinson’s along with diabetes and I was falling quite often so I got the Medical Guardian. I have the necklace, and when I don’t have that on, I have the one hanging over my walker so I can use it quickly. Their customer service was fine and I would recommend them.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for the kind words Nancy. We're happy to offer you that additional layer of security.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My daughter decided that I needed to wear Medical Guardian. We have peace of mind and my daughter is happy to have me wear it. We’re taking it with us to Nevada because when I’m there, I’m alone. Although I never had to use the device, at least I know it’s there.

Medical Guardian response

Viola, we're happy that Medical Guardian gives both you and your daughter peace of mind. It's great that you're using it to stay safe while you travel. Happy travels!

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2017

I am completely satisfied with the response I received from Medical Guardian. Based on their excellent resolution of all of my issues I am updating my star rating for them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have had Type 1 Diabetes and related complications for 53 years and live alone. About two years ago I signed up with Medical Guardian in case of a medical emergency. In that time I have had two devices malfunction due to an inability to hear the response team as the volume would continuously decrease in volume. Both returns were received and signed for by Medical Guardian. Shortly after receiving the third device, yet again the sound issue occurred. About two weeks ago, before I even had a chance to contact Medical Guardian, I experienced a life-threatening hypoglycemic emergency. I immediately pressed the call button but received no response. I tried three or four more times before realizing, despite making monthly payments, I was on my own.

Somehow, by the grace of god, I struggled to my refrigerator and gulped orange juice until I gradually started to recover. I called Medical Guardian and told them I wanted to cancel my account. They promised to mail me a postage-free return label to return the malfunctioning device (a neck pendant I wore on my chest). I received the label and shipped it back to Medical Guardian, which again was received and signed for by them. On Monday, 10/16/2017 at 11:45 am eastern time, I received a call from Medical Guardian telling me they had only received two of the three devices. After I raised holy hell, she agreed to send me an email to electronically sign and email back to officially cancel my account.

By today, Wednesday, 10/18/2017, I still had not received the promised email. So I called Medical Guardian and was forwarded to so many departments, including ones I had already spoken with, my head started to spin. I then spoke with Juan at 12:33 this afternoon. I didn't exactly tell him I loved him, and I freely expressed my displeasure with the ineptitude of the entire return process. At no time did I personally attack Juan or curse at him, but nevertheless he chose to hang up on me.

I finally received the promised cancellation request form via email, but only AFTER complaining to a supervisor, Sabriyyah, who contradicted the information I received in Monday's phone call, and told me I could NOT electronically sign and email back the form; I had to print, sign, and either fax or mail the form back to them. I was still seething with anger at this poor excuse for customer service and I called Medical Guardian back again, asking to speak with Juan and demand a personal apology from him. The rep I was speaking with informed me he was unable to reach Juan, probably because Juan was on the phone with another customer. Yep, you guessed it; Juan never did call and apologize. I close by saying that I thank god that I am now using Bay Alarm Medical, and I no longer feel my life is in jeopardy. It is my sincere belief that Medical Guardian should be ashamed of themselves.

Medical Guardian response
Lane, we are very sorry for the unfortunate experience you had with our company. It is my understanding that our CEO, Geoff Gross, spoke

to you on 3 occasions last week to address your concerns and clarify what happened on our end. Please let us know if things reside in a better state currently and if there is anything else to be addressed. Our thanks for your feedback.

Best,

Medical Guardian Team

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I’ve used Medical Guardian for two years. I called them one time and they were very slow and not effective. I fell and all I had needed was to be lifted up but by the time help from Medical Guardian got here, a friend of mine had come in the door. I can’t cancel the service for now because I paid ahead on it, which is one thing I don’t like that they make me pay a year in advance. It's more expensive than other companies and for the extra money I’m paying, the service hasn’t been worth it.

Medical Guardian response

We're sorry that your experience has not been exactly what you expected. We'll be reaching out soon to discuss your particular situation. Thanks for the feedback.

Medical Guardian expert review by Shelley Webb

Customer service is the priority for Medical Guardian, and to provide the personal touch, the company offers service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and a personal safety consultant for customized care solutions.

• Their operators are medically trained: All operators are medical professionals, making them uniquely suited to assist in the event of an emergency.

• They are UL-approved: This service is UL (a safety organization) approved and includes 911-trained operators to help dispatch the right emergency service for each and every call.

• Equipment: Medical Guardian offers a Classic Guardian package that includes an easy-to-install base unit that works in conjunction with a waterproof pendant and/or wristband. Both the pendant and the wristband can access immediate help from up to 400 feet away from the base unit.

• Pricing: Good service comes at a cost, and Medical Guardian offers good service. It also has some of the higher prices in the industry, with mobile monitoring starting at almost $40 per month.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons who have recently retired, persons with newly diagnosed or severe epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Guardian Company Information