Call toll free
4.15/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

Medical Guardian Video
Medical Guardian Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Medical Guardian provides home and mobile medical alert systems to ensure safety anywhere. There’s no free trial period, but Medical Guardian prices are competitive, installation is easy and you can cancel anytime.

PROS

• Variety of options to fit any lifestyle
  • Automatic fall detection available
  • No long-term contract

CONS

• No free trial period

Top Medical Guardian Reviews

In fact, it has come in useful for me twice. When I called them, they sent an ambulance out immediately. I don’t think I was alone for more than five minutes. It saved my life… It gives me a lot of feelings of security and I would recommend it...

My children… ordered a Medical Guardian for me and it goes around my neck. When I got it just about three months ago, I fell and I pushed the button. And all the worst things happened very quickly. I got help fast. I went into the hospital… But I'm safe now.

What is Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian products can benefit older adults who spend most of their time alone. With services like activity monitoring and fall detection, Medical Guardian alert systems can also be a smart option for anyone with a critical medical condition, is hard of hearing, a fall risk or are recovering from a significant health event.

Medical Guardian offers six different service plans that can fit almost any lifestyle or budget, and system options include in-home and on-the-go portable devices. Fall detection can be included with any plan for an additional charge.

Although Medical Guardian doesn't offer a free trial period, there is no service cancellation fee, and customers receive full prorated refunds for unused time. Another plus for customers is the flexibility of Medical Guardian's monitoring agreements. Medical Guardian monitoring centers provide 24/7 emergency response. Automatic monthly tests ensure that two-way voice communication technology is always working.

At-Home Medical Guardian systems

Medical Guardian’s mobile systems all come with standard cellular connections and one-touch alert signals. On-The-Go Medical Guardian devices are portable, rechargeable, and have built-in GPS tracking.

CLASSIC GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $0.97/day
  • Range: 1,300 feet
  • Battery life: 32 hours

Medical Guardian’s Classic Guardian medical alert system is the least expensive in-home option. The package comes with a neck pendant or wristband medical alert help button and a two-way communication console with a 60-decibel base speaker. The wearable help button is waterproof, so it works in the shower or bath. The Classic Guardian system requires a landline to operate.

Power outage protection means the Medical Guardian Classic alert system will work up to 32-hours without electricity. Select between monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual payments. The annual plan is the best value and includes a free month of service, free second button, free lockbox, free ground shipping and free equipment for new customers.

HOME GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $1.12/day
  • Range: 600 feet
  • Battery life:30 hours

Medical Guardian’s best value for an in-home system is the Home Guardian. Home Guardian comes with a wearable medical alert button and base station. The wearable alert device can be worn on a neck pendant or wristband, and the base station has a 60-decibel speaker and a LED display screen that shows the date, time, temperature, signal strength and battery indicators. The wearable alert device can be worn on a neck pendant or wristband. Equipment is free with subscription.

Home Guardian uses a nationwide cellular network that wirelessly connects with the base station and wearable emergency button. Power outage protection has a 30-hour back-up battery. You also have the option to select monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual billing. Customers who choose annual billing get a discount rate, plus a free month of service, second button, lockbox and ground shipping at no extra cost.

FAMILY GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $2.58/day
  • Range: 1,300 feet
  • Battery life: 32 hours

Family Guardian is Mobile Guardian’s most advanced home medical alert system. The Family Guardian system includes an 80-decibel base system for two-way communication, three in-home activity sensors, and a wearable emergency button. Select from a neck pendant or black wristband wearable alert devices — both waterproof and free with subscription.

Activity sensors combine the benefits of medical alert devices and activity monitoring through the Family Guardian app, letting caregivers remotely check on loved ones with their smartphones, tablets, and desktops or laptops. Power outage protection ensures the device will work up to 32 hours if the power goes out. Medical Guardian’s Family Guardian system uses cellular service, so no landline is required.

On-The-Go Medical Guardian systems

MOBILE GUARDIAN
  • Starting price:$1.61/day
  • Battery life: 24 hours

Mobile Guardian is Medical Guardian’s most popular system. Mobile Guardian package comes with a standalone mobile medical alert device, choice of help button and a charging cradle. Users can contact emergency operators through the portable device’s two-way speaker up to 350 feet from the device. The portable device is rechargeable and has built-in GPS technology.

Select from monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual billing cycles. The annual plan comes with a slight discount, plus it includes a free month of service, free second button, free lockbox and free ground shipping.

ACTIVE GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $1.28/day
  • Battery life:up to 5 days

Active Guardian is Medical Guardian’s all-in-one mobile medical alert system. Active Guardian systems include a portable medical alert device that can be worn on an adjustable lanyard. The device also comes with built-in GPS and WiFi location technology so you can feel safe if in your home, yard and around town. The wearable device is waterproof and allows direct communication with an emergency operator.

You can choose monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual subscription types. Annual subscriptions come with a free month of service, free lockbox, free ground shipping and free equipment for new customers.

FREEDOM GUARDIAN
  • Starting price: $1.45/day
  • Battery life: up to 48 hours

Freedom Guardian is Medical Guardian’s newest medical alert device. Resembling a smartwatch, the Freedom Guardian features advanced location tracking, text to speech messaging, low-battery notifications, alerts, and reminders for daily tasks and weather forecasts.

Freedom Guardian is available in black or white and includes an adjustable wristband. Unlike Medical Guardian’s other medical alert system packages, Freedom Guardian costs $99 for the equipment. For monitoring service, you can select from multiple payment schedules, but the annual subscription type includes a free month of service, free lockbox and free ground shipping.

Medical Guardian cost comparison

Medical Guardian subscribers get a small discount for annual payments, plus other perks like free lockboxes and free ground shipping.

Medical Guardian systemMonthly paymentQuarterly paymentSemi-annual paymentAnnual payment
Classic Guardian$29.95$89.85$179.70$329.45
Home Guardian$34.95$104.85$209.70$384.45
Family Guardian$79.95$239.85$479.70$879.45
Mobile Guardian$49.95$149.85$299.70$549.45
Active Guardian$39.95$119.85$239.70$439.45
Freedom Guardian$44.95$134.85$269.45$494.45

Medical Guardian Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 3, 2019

I had a medical alert device from a different provider for about four years off and on. But I moved into a facility that had Medical Guardian already there in assisted living, so I canceled the one I had and went with theirs. Then when I came here, which is independent living, they offer it here also, but I didn't wanna do that at the time. However, I had fallen three different times and it's a concern for me and for the kids. My balance is really bad. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it's affecting my feet the worst. And the bottoms of my feet have nodules that I'm walking on all the time, which makes my balance even worse. So, I really need a medial alert device.

Since getting the Medical Guardian, I get a sense of security. Also, the other one I had went off all the time. If I bent over or I was sitting reading a book, it went off and I got pretty much frustrated with that. But when I moved into assisted living, I did not have that problem with Medical Guardian. And when I got an attendant, no one was not easy to work with. Everyone was very kind and very caring. They were great and I didn't have any problem.

However, when I was testing the device the day that I finally decided after testing it that I was not gonna keep it, the watch worked but the pendant didn't. I had somebody here with me that was helping me and she boxed everything together for me. Both times when we called them to test it, we waited and waited and it was kinda disappointing that their response was not as quick as I hoped it would be. Their response time took less than a minute but it should be quicker. With the other one that I previously had, when I pushed that button, whether it was a test or alarm, the response was that quick.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My father-in-law and mother in law had a medical alert device but it was screwy. My father in law had dementia and he would love to press buttons and he pressed his button a lot. The nice people would come on and ask if he needed something or if he fell. And 99% of the time, it was always a false alarm. Then when it was a real alarm, they took so long to answer the phone. I don’t know whether it was understaffed or a bad time or that the person wasn’t trained. But I ain’t paying the money that they want if they’re not gonna perform and help me feel satisfied that I wouldn’t have to be here 24/7. That's why we changed over to Medical Guardian.

My mother in law is 83 and she’s moving slower. She knew a friend who lay on the floor for four days before her son came to visit. And she cries when she tells me about it. So, I never wanted that to happen to her. She has both the necklace and the wristband from Medical Guardian because we got this deal where the young man I was talking to initially sent them both ‘cause she didn’t know what she wanted. There was a lot of problems with the pendant. When she bent over, picked something up, it tangled and it’s a choking hazard. She doesn’t like the pendant. She has the necklace hanging on her nightstand, but she wears the wristband all the time and that is the one thing she doesn’t complain about. We absolutely have peace of mind knowing that she has Medical Guardian. We’ve also tested it and whoever is on the other end of this button comes right away, whereas the other one would be like ringing eight times.

Medical Guardian response

Penny, we're happy that your in-laws are having a positive experience with Medical Guardian and that it provides you all with greater peace-of-mind as they go throughout the day. Thank you for your review!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I'm very independent. I live by myself and I'm always by myself. But I fell down in the apartment twice and they had to take me to the hospital. From the hospital, they sent me to a rehab center and I was losing my balance. So my son gave me one of those medical alert devices. He was very worried about what happened to me because that had never happened to me. They had never seen me in the hospital before. That made him so scared.

My son told me that I have a bracelet and I have to use it all the time. He told me not to take it off and that I can even take a shower with it. I never forget to use it. Every time I go, I take it with me so if I fall down, I just have to press the button in my arm. Then I answer the little machine. It's like a little monitor and I have to take that with me as well when I go out. I can go for a little walk around the block where I live. I don't go that far because I'm afraid. I come back and then I go again. I do my things. But it's really good to have the Medical Guardian.

Somebody came to visit me once. He has a little kid and the kid pushed my button by mistake. The alarm went off and I said, "Oh, my god. What is it?" I forgot that I have the machine in my bedroom. So I went over there and a guy asked me if I was hurt, if I wanted the ambulance, and if I wanted this or that. I said no. I told him to please take it easy. I explained that it was a mistake and thanked him for getting the call. Then he said that it was a pleasure for them and that he was glad I was all right.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Here in California, we have certain days we can water, otherwise, we can’t because of the drought. I was in the backyard on a Sunday evening watering, and I put the sprinkler down. I wasn’t pleased with its placement and I reached down to adjust it. I fell, and then from that point on, I could not get up. I lost my balance. My sister-in-law in Santa Maria had Medical Guardian, and we had been talking to her about it. But for one reason or another, we had not gotten around to it. We were just putting it off because other things were happening. But my daughter, while I was in the hospital, ordered my Medical Guardian device. I went to the hospital for about a week and then I was in the care facility for about two and a half months. It was about December when I started using it which was after I got out of the care facility.

My experience has been good. I had trouble remembering not to lean against things. One day, I was in the kitchen taking laundry out of the washing machine and I leaned against the washing machine. And all of a sudden, I had a voice talking to me, so I‘ve been very careful ever since then not to lean on things. I had a hard time convincing her that I was alright. She was very concerned. And so I had to explain to her that I had leaned on the washing machine and it had gone off accidentally. But that reassured me too that it was working.

I have to take my device off occasionally to recharge it, and I sometimes have a hard time remembering to put it back on. And I’m very careful about that really because I had an elderly friend years ago who had a necklace button and she took hers off to take a bath and she fell in the bath tub. And a few days later, they found her dead in the bath tub. So I am constantly reminded that I have to be careful to put it back on when I take it off or when it's recharging. I would encourage my friends to get Medical Guardian. I‘m 83 years old and I have a number of friends who live alone like I do and who really need it.

Medical Guardian response

Barbara, thank you for the review. We're happy that you've had a positive experience with our services. Have a great weekend!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have a form of diabetes known as LADA. It's very severe and classified as 1.5. With its price, Medical Guardian seems like a very good deal. However, it doesn't offer some of the things that I personally would prefer that it did. I haven't had to actually use it because with my LADA, I also have what is called "hypoglycemia unawareness". I'm incapable of punching buttons when I'm passed out so nothing does me any good unless it calls for help when I pass out. Other than that, I've actually found that it gives a sense of comfort because I know that should I need any help, they're gonna be alerted when I hit the button. At the back of my mind, I can use the device to talk to people and ask for an officer or a fireman. Should I pass out in public, people can push the button and summon a paramedic without having to find their own cellphones. Obviously, it's not the solution to my problems, but it helps because it gives me that little extra edge of security in the long run.

What would be really good is if Medical Guardian could offer a device that will alert them if I just pass out and fall down. Also, they could have one that is a little more aesthetically pleasing. I like them, but I can see somebody saying that it doesn't match their outfit. I've often even considered the wristband, but that would be a little inconvenient. Because with the necklace, I can always slide it inside a jacket if I don't want to walk around with the thing hanging around my neck that I don't necessarily wanna explain why I have it. Otherwise, most of my friends know that I have had problems and they know to punch the button if something should ever happen. So, in that respect, it works fine for me. Moreover, the customer service has been excellent. I've accidentally set the button off a couple of times and I could talk to the people on the phone and tell them that I blew it and made a mistake. It's no big deal and they're very nice and polite people.

Medical Guardian response

Teresa, thank you for your review. We're happy that you are satisfied with your Medical Guardian device and the service you have received overall. We did want to inform you that Medical Guardian does offer devices with fall detection capabilities, which can inform emergency services of a fall if you are unable to push the button yourself. We will be in touch to discuss different device options that may better meet your needs. Have a great day Teresa!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

When trying to cancel my service, I have continued to be charged for 2 months. I have received CS agents who have been rude, talked over me, and made empty promises. As of today, I still haven't received cancellation paperwork necessary to cancel services and am still being met with rude people.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

My mother fell a couple of years ago. I decided to use Medical Guardian to protect her from future falls and to get automatic assistance if she were to be unconscious. I selected a service with fall monitoring. She has diabetes and has passed out several times from low blood sugar. A year after getting the service, she passed out but no one was notified. I called and was informed the necklace may not be working properly. A new necklace was sent out.

Three months ago, she fell in the garage and was unconscious for several hours. She almost died from the heat in the garage. It was a hot Summer day in Texas. No notifications were sent. She was found and her life was spared no thanks to this service. As a family, we purchased an Apple watch with fall detection. It will also work with a device to monitor blood sugar levels. I called to cancel my Mother's service. I explained my dissatisfaction with the service. The representative informed me I did not have fall detection as an active service. The device could do it but the service was an additional $10 a month. I was and am furious. The main reason for the necklace was fall protection. I made that clear when the service was initiated. I made it clear again when I called to complain a year ago. Neither person let me know this service was not even turned on. I believe the service was fraudulent. I know it needlessly risked my mother's life.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I am a social worker, that provides home health services. Part of my job is to help patients locate a medical alert. I was with a family about 12 days ago and called medical guardian. We got info and I left Medical Guardian contact info and sales rep with family. I left out of country on vacation for 10 days. Upon my return my work cell had about 22 missed calls from this company. I made the mistake of offering my cell as a contact. 22 missed calls. I can’t imagine what the elderly patients deal with when they get hold of a potential customer. I was so turned off by this, I contact the family to let them know and they went with a different company. I won’t recommend them again.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I paid Medical Guardian LLC $104.85 when I started the service on 06/21/2019. My husband received an alert service through the V.A. so I returned the unit and it was received by them 08/05/2019. I didn't receive a refund so contacted them and was told that the $53.60 I was owed went to a restocking fee and toward the original shipping fee that was suppose to be free. Be sure to read the very long disclaimer and don't count on getting a refund when you discontinue service.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

The rate was reasonable for the initial 6 months. Fortunately never had to use the device. My mother moved to Assisted Living a week after being charged on my credit card for the upcoming 6 month. I returned the equipment by UPS at $30. I verified it was received 10 days later. When I contacted Medical Guardian billing, I was told it would take up 30 days to post prorated refund and it would be less $50 for restocking. Yikes! So inefficient and the restocking fee is extremely high!

Medical Guardian monitoring services

When you press the medical alert button, you are instantly connected to the medical monitoring center staffed with emergency call operators 24/7. The center has access to your medical history and can get you the necessary help you need, from sending an ambulance for crisis care to contacting the people you know for help in a non-emergency situation. If Medical Guardian cannot confirm your safety after the alert system is activated, the operators quickly dispatch emergency medical services to your exact location.

Medical Guardian monitoring centers are FM Approved and UL Listed, which means their emergency dispatch services meet specific safety and reliability standards. Medical Guardian monitoring centers also hold TMA Five Diamond certifications for operator training and ESA Security certifications for providing excellent emergency services.

Compare Medical Guardian features

With home and mobile medical alert systems, Medical Guardian has many options to choose when it comes to your safety and well-being. Wearable emergency pendants for in-home and on-the-go use can also be equipped with automatic fall detection technology and more.

Classic GuardianHome GuardianFamily GuardianMobile GuardianActive Guardian
Family Guardian
Mobile Guardian
Active Guardian

Medical Guardian products and services

Medical Guardian plans can be upgraded to include in-home safety sensors to monitor activity, fall alert detection, voice-activated wall buttons and the Family Guardian app. The app allows family members or caretakers to monitor a loved one's health and activity levels.

• Fall detection: Medical Guardian fall detection can be added to any plan for an addition $10 per month. Fall alert pendants automatically detect when the wearer falls and signals for help without the need to press a button. Please note, fall detection devices do not detect 100% of all falls.
  • Lockbox: Lockboxes come free with annual subscription plans or added to any plan. With a lockbox, emergency responders can gain access to your home without causing any damage to doorways.
  • Neck pendant: Water-resistant medical alert pendants can be added Medical Guardian medical alert system for added protection. They include adjustable lanyards and have depth ranges between 600 and 1,300 feet.
  • Wrist button: Similar to a watch, the water-resistance help button is worn around your wrist. Wrist buttons come standard with some packages or can be purchased separately.
  • Mounted wall button: Mounted wall buttons can be strategically placed throughout high-risk areas in your home. Wall buttons have a range of coverage up to 2,000 feet and wirelessly connect to Medical Guardian monitoring center.
  • Car charger: Medical Guardian car charges are a convenient way to ensure the battery never gets low while traveling. The car charger comes standard with the Mobile Guardian plan.
  • Protection plan: Medical Guardian’s protection plan guarantees medical alert systems’ expenses if a device is ever lost, stolen or damaged.

Medical Guardian FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system?
No, you do not have to sign any contracts to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system.
What is Medical Guardian’s return policy?
It doesn't cost anything to cancel service, and this can be done by calling Medical Guardian customer service. Medical Guardian’s return policy states any equipment provided by Medical Guardian must be returned to the company. Any remaining time left in the service plan period is refunded in up to 30 days. Some Medical Guardian complaints reference restocking fees that can apply.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Medical Guardian monitoring service?
Multiple people can be protected if the monitoring service has more than one medical help button. A second medical alert necklace or wristband is monitored for free when purchased with a Classic Guardian or Home Guardian plan.
Where are Medical Guardian monitoring centers located?
Medical Guardian monitoring centers are located in the United States, and monitoring services are available in all 50 states.
Do Medical Guardian emergency response services require a landline?
The Classic Guardian device plan is the only service that requires a landline. All other Medical Guardian service plans do not require a landline.
Does Medical Guardian offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
The Medical Guardian warranty protects any equipment provided by the company if it is defective or if the battery needs to be replaced. An optional protection plan can be purchased to cover the cost for needed repairs and replacements resulting from loss or theft.
Does Medical Guardian offer a free trial period?
Medical Guardian does not offer a free trial period.

Do we recommend Medical Guardian?

Yes. Investing in a Medical Guardian medical alert system lets you live life on your terms with an extra layer of security. Medical Guardian alert reviews indicate that in-home medical alert systems and on-the-go alert devices are reliable. Plus, the monitoring center has all of the top certifications, and Medical Guardian offers plenty of additional services and products to customize your system to your needs.

Medical Guardian Company Information