3.9/5 (61 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. You can choose from a range of devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Its products include mobile devices, home-based systems and a medical alert smartwatch. Medical Guardian offers fall detection as an add-on for every system it sells except the Freedom 2.0 smartwatch, which hasn’t been released at the time of publishing.

Pros

• Month-to-month contracts available
    • Transparent pricing
    • Fall detection available
    • Companion app

Cons

• Upfront fees on some packages
    • No free trial period

Bottom Line

Medical Guardian systems connect to a monitoring center that can send help 24/7. You can get a price break if you opt into an annual billing cycle, but upfront fees are required for some products, such as the Mini Guardian.

Top Medical Guardian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Verified

The device worked very well for my mother. … It allowed her to stay independent much longer because if she fell help would be on the way immediately. They always called me at home...

Verified

I'm 82 years old, living alone and I have issues as well as a pacemaker. ... I have their device around my neck and by the bed. During the day, I have my Medical Guardian watch on...

Medical Guardian alert systems

What is Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian is a medical alert company focused on products that benefit older adults who spend most of their time alone. The base unit and/or wearable device are included as part of each medical alert system plan, with additional equipment available.

Medical Guardian offers six different service packages, including all-in-one wearable and in-home systems with fall detection and two-way speakers. In-home alert devices have ranges up to 1,400 feet. On-the-go devices have a maximum battery life of seven days, depending on the device.

How does Medical Guardian work?

Medical Guardian alert systems are designed for at-home or on-the-go use. With either type of system, when you press the medical alert button, you are connected to a 24/7 medical monitoring center.

If Medical Guardian cannot confirm your safety after the alert system is activated, the operators quickly dispatch emergency medical services to your exact location.

The monitoring center does not hold information on your medical history, but it does have access to any notes you have chosen to share in your profile and can get you the help you need, whether it’s sending an ambulance for crisis care or contacting people you know for help in a nonemergency situation.

Medical Guardian monitoring centers are FM-approved and UL-listed, which means its emergency dispatch services meet specific safety and reliability standards. Medical Guardian monitoring centers also hold TMA Five Diamond certifications for operator training and ESA certifications for providing excellent emergency services.

Medical Guardian costs

Medical Guardian equipment fees are generally required for packages where you buy the equipment, but packages with leased equipment don’t have these initial fees. When available, the fall detection upgrade adds $10 a month to the monitoring fee.

Plan typeEquipment costMonthly feeOptional fall detection
    Classic GuardianLease$0$29.95
    Equipment cost$0$99.95$124.95$0$124.95Unavailable
    Monthly fee$29.95$34.95$39.95$44.95$39.95Unavailable
    Optional fall detection

Medical Guardian devices

In addition to extra services like fall detection, Medical Guardian plans can come with multiple accessory devices. These devices may be included as part of your package or for an additional monthly fee.

• Neck pendants: Water-resistant medical alert pendants include adjustable lanyards and have ranges between 600 and 1,300 feet, depending on which system you choose.
    • Wrist buttons: Similar to a watch, these water-resistant help buttons can be worn around your wrist.
    • Wireless wall buttons: Mounted wall buttons can be strategically placed throughout high-risk areas in your home. Wall buttons have a range of coverage up to 500 feet and wirelessly connect to a Medical Guardian monitoring center. Voice-activated wall buttons are also available.
    • Lockboxes: With a lockbox, emergency responders can gain access to your home without causing any damage to doorways. Lockboxes come free with annual subscription plans and can be added to any plan for an additional charge.

Medical Guardian FAQ

Is Medical Guardian covered by Medicare?
    Original Medicare does not cover medical alert devices, but some Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) will partially reimburse you for your medical alert system costs.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system?
    No, you do not have to sign any contracts to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system. The company offers monthly, quarterly and annual payment plans.
    What is Medical Guardian’s return policy?
    You can call to cancel at any time, but Medical Guardian’s return policy states that any leased equipment must be returned to the company for the cancellation to take effect. Any remaining time left in the service plan period is refunded. Restocking fees may apply.
    Where are Medical Guardian monitoring centers located?
    Medical Guardian’s monitoring center is 100% U.S.-based, but the company doesn’t disclose a more specific location. Its services are available in all 50 states, though.
    Do Medical Guardian emergency response services require a landline?
    Only the Classic Guardian package requires a landline. All other Medical Guardian plans can run on a cellular network.
    Does Medical Guardian offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, Medical Guardian provides a warranty against wear and tear. It also offers a Protection Plan that covers any costs related to a lost, stolen or damaged device. This optional plan can be purchased when you buy the system.

Is Medical Guardian worth it?

Medical Guardian alert systems can be a smart option for anyone with a critical medical condition or people who are at risk of falling or in recovery from a significant health event. Compare its products and services with those from other medical alert companies to make sure you’re getting the right system for your or your loved one’s needs.

Medical Guardian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

My mom is elderly and then my brother is a bit handicapped health-wise. I got them a Guardian system several years ago and they loved it. They've renewed this subscription on their own. Recently, my wife and I pulled the trigger on her mom's Medical Guardian program. She lives 30 minutes away. I went down and activated it, set up the pendant and the base station. We activated it with the help of the company and tested the home phone and then the base station. Both were very quick.

The contact center service agents were very cordial and went through their process of identifying who I was, because my wife's mom is on the account. I'm on the account as well. But they went through the protocol. It was a good feeling. We also got a package from them. It was not quite right, initially. Their retention team did a fabulous job in making sure that they did make it right the second time. They put me in touch with a guy out of Philadelphia on the retention team and he was very responsive. He listened and was very proactive.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

I've only had Medical Guardian now for about a month and I have confidence in the unit when I'm out of my home because this unit is about 1,400 steps away from the base. When I first got it, I accidentally set it off and I just went to the main unit and responded to the call. The response was very quick. I let the person know that it was an accident and that it wasn't an emergency. They reset the unit and then I moved on with whatever I was doing in the home. It's been very pleasant and my confidence level is very high with this unit. I feel safe.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

When they sent the device to me, it had the options of either wearing it around my neck or wearing it as a belt clip. It has a clip-on on thing. I just wear the thing around my neck. It's not that big a deal. I accidentally bumped it and somebody answered and they asked me if I was okay or if I needed an ambulance. I said, "No, it was an accident." So it works and it's doing what I want it to do. I liked the fact that it can charge for up to five days because there are times when I can't put it on the charger for several days at a time.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

The customer service is excellent from purchasing to installing. The sales rep and customer service took their time, researched and made sure all tests were performed correctly. Unfortunately the fall button failed the test and they must send out a new one. I am still wearing it in case I do fall. It allows me to push the button, if I pass out it will be of no use. Customer service promptly shipped a new button to me. I would recommend Medical Guardian to others because of their fantastic customer service and the cost is reasonable. I did extensive research and Medical Guardian was always at the top of the recommendation list.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I've been very pleased so far. Had one mishap where accidentally hit the button and they responded immediately. A couple weeks ago, got a call from them to check on me... I hadn't done my own check to ensure the device was working so they called me to check I'll be going to England in Sept, so that will be the real test. We shall see. For now, I'm very pleased with it. It charges easily. I can wear it either on provided lanyard or clipped to my waist. Like both ways. Not too expensive either.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

In the literature, it says compatible with Verizon and AT&T! Actually, the mini it only Verizon, and the 2.0 Is AT+T! I don’t get Verizon reception, I ordered the Mini and had to send it back, then get the 2.0! No big thing, and I like the 2.0!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

The unit was very easy to set up. The activation department helped me with great patience. Best I’ve ever worked with. It’s so convenient and comfortable to wear the lanyard and to charge the unit. I know if I have any questions, the representatives will be there to help me.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Ordered this over phone for a loved one that passed before we even opened the box. I asked if I could return it. They said yes. I get an envelope that offers to help the planet by 'recycling' the unit - without any refund! Even though I called and cancelled, they keep charging $49.95/mo, and when I called Keybank to dispute, they came back saying that MG proved I agreed to it. I had to cancel the card!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

This is the only device I have tried but feel this one is good for me. A couple of times I have dropped it while taking it off and was immediately notified that it picked up a possible fall. I was given immediate instructions of what to do to deactivate a call to authorities. I am thus far happy with my choice.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

I am pleased with the device especially for showering. My only complaint is I can not tell when it is fully charged. When I put it on charger it says charging, but needs to say fully charged when it is ready.

Medical Guardian Company Information