toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Medical Guardian

J, we're happy you took the good advice that your loved ones gave you and got yourself protected. We're happy to be able to offer you peace of mind both at home and when you're out on the road. Thank you for the review!

Original review: March 31, 2017

I live by myself now and a lot of people recommended that I get the Medical Guardian. It's my first alert device and I have the mobile. I drive and when I'm on the road, I have to have the mobile device with me. So far, it's been a good experience and I've had no problems.

I cancelled my service more than one month before annual renew payment due. They charged my credit card anyway. I did not receive the label to return the product. I never used the service. Now they will consent to a partial return of payment after they receive the entire unit.

Medical Guardian

Genevive, we're happy to be able to offer you and your daughter peace of mind now that you're out of the hospital and back at home. Thank you for the kind words.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I kept calling my daughter every time I fall. So she got a Medical Guardian device for me. It's really comfortable and most of the time, I don't even notice wearing it. I've got out of the hospital for the second time this week, so I'm keeping it in case I need it. My experience with Medical Guardian has been convenient and I'd recommend them.

Resolution In Progress

Medical Guardian

Cheryl, thanks for reaching out. We did want to apologize for your poor experience and want you to know that we take your feedback seriously. One of our billing department supervisors reached out shortly after this review was posted on Friday. Per his notes, it appears he was able to resolve your issues, but feel free to reach back out if you have any other needs or concerns Thanks again and have a lovely day!

Original review: July 28, 2017

After my father passed away in May, we decided my mother should have a medical alert device for her safety. Because my mother is still active, I ordered the device that has a GPS and a fall detector. Less than one week after I registered her account, I received a call at work saying they were sending emergency medical service (EMS) to my mother's home. I called a neighbor and asked he check on mom. He arrived at the same time as EMS and my mother wasn't home. I was panicked, so I called Medical Alert. Because the device has GPS, I asked them the location of my mother. They told me mom was in North Olmsted, Ohio, which is several miles from my mother's home.

I asked them why they sent EMS to her home in Cleveland, Ohio, and they couldn't offer an explanation and said they would look into it and call me (which never happened). I called her cell phone several times, and she didn't respond. I was panicked because I didn't know if she was OK. She finally called me back, and thankfully, she was fine. I called Medical Guardian again, and told them I wanted to return the device because it didn't work. I was told that was fine, but that I would still have to pay for three months for the trial period, because that's their policy. Dismayed, I told them to send me another device, which they did. However, when I received it, I decided I wasn't confident and decided to return that one as well.

I called Medical Guardian and explained all of this and told them I wanted a full refund. I was told I would not receive a refund, because "that's their policy." I then called my credit card company to dispute the charge. After several months, I received a full refund. A few days after that, I received a bill from Medical Alert for the three months. I called Medical Alert again, and I was told that just because the amount was charged back by the credit card company, doesn't mean anything, and that I still owed them the money. So, I called the credit card company and I was told that Medical Guardian never responded to their inquiries about the dispute, so the amount was charged back and refunded to me. Kudos to the credit card company, they did a great job, but they couldn't do anything else for me. So, now my only recourse is the Attorney General's Office and the BBB.

Medical Guardian

Jennie, thanks for the kind words. We're happy to provide you and your son with additional confidence while you're at home.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I live alone and my son got me a Medical Guardian medical alert device. I wear the device around my neck and it's comfortable. And since having it, I feel more confident. It's been a fine experience with Medical Guardian.

Medical Guardian

Katie, thank you for the review. We're happy that Evelyn has been getting back to being independent. We did just want to point out one device feature to be aware of with our devices. The necklace that she wears is highly water resistant and can be worn in the shower (and in a tub under 3 feet of water for up to 30 minutes). We only ask that our necklaces and wristbands not be worn in chlorine or saltwater. Feel free to contact our customer service team if you have any additional questions.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Evelyn had a stroke and she fell in her bedroom. She lives alone and is off-balance and so she needed something to be next to her if something happened. Her previous medical alert device didn't work and so she switched to Medical Guardian. Now, she wears the necklace device all the time. It seems very comfortable when she wears it. She also wears it in bed. That way, if she falls out of the bed, she'll have her device on her. When I help her get a shower, we take the device off then put it back on. Since using Medical Guardian, she has been getting her strength back and is getting to be independent. When I'm away from the house, I worry about Evelyn and so, it's been great having Medical Guardian.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian

F, thank you for the review. We hope you never need our services but hope to offer you peace of mind while your family is away during the day.

Original review: July 4, 2017

I had some heart surgery March of last year. My wife passed five years ago so I was alone. I had my daughter and son-in-law move in with me but they’re away during the day. So, I thought it would be good to have something that I could hit if I had a problem. I have a vision impairment. I’m not blind but I have trouble reading. So my son and son-in-law did the research for me and came up with Medical Guardian. They made a recommendation and I got Medical Guardian. I have the one that’s hanging around my neck with a whistle and a few other items. We tested it once which was really brief but it worked fine.

Medical Guardian

Your daughter had the right idea Joee.Thank you for the kind words and recommendation.

Original review: June 28, 2017

I live by myself and my daughter forced me to wear a help button. Medical Guardian’s response was right on target when I pushed the button by accident. It happened twice. I’m very satisfied and I recommend it.

My aunt is 101 years old and has moved to Florida with her granddaughter, which is about four miles away. But we would go over there constantly and we'd find her incoherent. She almost set the house on fire twice and she was constantly falling. The first time she fell, it took a while for people to get there. So I told my wife that we had to get her an alert system and we chose Medical Guardian. I liked that the unit would still go off even if there was no electric and telephone. A satellite ran it and it's one of the features that I liked. The price wasn’t bad either and she’s handling the bill.

Initially, I just gave them a call and we tested it. I’m pretty knowledgeable about setting that stuff up and it was just a five-minute job. She has both the wrist band and the necklace. The batteries are supposed to last 32 hours, if the electric goes off. However, older people don’t like these things hanging around their neck or their wrists. A lot of times, I would see her keeping it in her hands instead of letting it hang down like a necklace. She actually set it off accidentally a couple of times. She panicked and although she was on the phone with them, she called us. We had to run over there. Medical Guardian’s representatives were very polite and respectful about everything. They didn’t care that she had set it off accidentally.

There were also a couple of times where she took the necklace off and left it on the bed. Then she fell on the floor. She had to bang on the floor till somebody came. But other than that, the device is very good and it has worked fine. She has used it two or three times. We've had no problems with billing either. It's about $36 a month and is taken out once every three months right out of her checking account.

With somebody so far away, whether it's 4 or 14 miles, you'd wanna get right over there. But with the Medical Guardian, they always have my phone number. I could see exactly what’s going on if they had an ambulance there before I jump out of bed and go at two in the morning to the hospital. So, it’s given us peace of mind. It was much better on us and I have recommended it to a couple of people.

My wife was gonna be home alone a lot while I was taking care of stuff. I looked at a couple of medical alert devices. Then, I went with Medical Guardian for it was the least expensive. However, we returned it because there was gonna be somebody at home with her all the time.

Medical Guardian

Thanks for the review Kim. We're happy to be able to give you and your mom the flexibility of a medical alert system without the need for a home phone.

Original review: June 22, 2017

My mother is in an assisted living and the Medical Guardian we got for her is an extra protection that she uses. She fell not having an alert necklace before and it scared her that's why we went ahead and got her one. And everything seems to be going fine. We also test the device once a month and the team members from Medical Guardian responded quickly. My mother used a previous service before when she was living alone but we switched to Medical Guardian once she moved where she's now because she didn't have to have her phone line with Medical Guardian.

I care for my elderly mother and I'm home alone with her, so I wanted to make sure I could get help if anything happened to me and she wouldn’t be left alone. I got Medical Guardian's medical alert pendant, which gives me peace of mind. However, I will have to return it because it's too sensitive. I set it off all the time for certain kinds of abrupt movement. But every time I set it off, their response time has been great.

My father is 99 years old and I got a Medical Guardian for him. He had the one for the wrist and it went kaput, so he tried the one for the neck. However, it quit working and so he's back to the wristband. Both of the devices have broken at different times and I know how careful he is with things. Also, when we tested the medical device, their response was fine but it took a little bit of time. Other than that, the experience was great.

I am a brittle type 1 diabetic with vision problems and other assorted concerns. I'm also out in the far suburbs in central Oregon, 5 miles away from anything and by myself during the day, so having a medical alert is a need. I had an old medical alert provider but I switched to Medical Guardian because I don't have to calibrate and call every month to ensure it's working. Medical Guardian sends the device working and it does. I got their Premim plan and the price is very reasonable. I can also bring the device with me and leave the house so, that's really nice. In addition, their staff has been excellent, friendly and ready to answer questions. On the other hand, the device is about the size of a computer mouse and it'd be nice to have it smaller. I'd love to have something on my wrist but other than that, I'm happy with Medical Guardian.

I live in Gonzales and my son lives in Salinas. The previous device that I had from Medical Guardian will only go 600 feet away from the house, so I switched to the one I have now. But I liked the previous device because it was smaller. The current device on my neck is bigger but it will help me when I’m away from home. I haven’t had to use it and I hope I never have to, but it’s nice to have around. It’s handy and I’m comfortable because I have it. As far as service, I’m having a problem with the green light that keeps going on and off. On Saturday, it woke me up at two o’clock in the morning. I charged it, so it was okay. Then last night before I went to bed, it told me again to charge it. I just put it on right now after charging it for eight hours and it’s still blinking. It’s annoying. I'm supposed to charge it every four days. It's not working right.

I was living alone and I had to have a stent put into the widowmaker, then four months later I had to have a pacemaker. I went online and looked at all of the medical alert devices. The price was better with Medical Guardian, plus I have the necklace and the bracelet and one of them was free. I paid cash for 12 months and that brought the price down as well. Once I got the medical alert device, that gave my daughters some peace of mind. However, I've got clearance from the doctors and everything is well, so I packaged the device up about a month ago and sent it back. It's been three months already and nobody's contacted me since. It was strange that nobody called to say they received it.

Medical Guardian

Buzz, we're so happy that we were able to offer you assistance when you needed help after a fall. Thanks for the review!

Original review: May 13, 2017

My wife's doctor had Medical Guardian and offered the best deal. I purchased the one that I hang around the neck. When I fell, I called them and the person I talked to was very professional and responded immediately. They sent someone out to help me up. I would recommend Medical Guardian.

My mom was having trouble with her foot and she kept tripping over it and falling. She finally agreed that she should have a medical alert device and I got her one from Medical Guardian. The problem with using it is that it causes a scene and embarrasses her. But one time she pressed the button. My sister was there and she told our mom to go to the hospital and find out what's going on. My mom agreed and my sister was about ready to call 911, but she told mom to push the button as it'll get them to the hospital faster, and they did. However, my mom doesn't wear the device anymore. She went in a nursing home that has their own system. I called Medical Guardian, they sent me the return slip, I put the device in UPS and away it went. Everything went well and I'd recommend them.

My mom lived with me, but sometimes she is alone by herself and she's unsteady on her feet. I worked at a doctor’s office and one of the patients there sells Medical Guardian and he was talking about it so I got it. She has the wristwatch but sometimes she forgets that she has it on. One time, she was sitting there for an hour waiting for somebody to come help her. I told her she could hit the device and the reps will call me. Overall, the device is easy to use and it’s a comfort knowing that we have it and we can buzz Medical Guardian.

My daughter lives with me and my son is half an hour away and they were both gonna be out of town. I was gonna be alone so I wanted to have some kind of security. I checked many medical alert companies and Medical Guardian seemed what I needed. They were very helpful and they explained everything to me. I test my medical device and I don't do it as often as they'd like me to, but I'm very satisfied with it. It's convenient and Medical Guardian answers promptly.

I had a stroke in 2012, so I was partially weak on the left side. And then last year, I had bacterial pneumonia. I was in intensive care for 12 days on a ventilator. The doctor thought I was not going to make it, but I did. I took a lot of therapy and I’ve gotten back most of my strength, but pneumonia took all my strength and balance. Because my wife was working part-time and didn’t want me walking around the house or going around falling down, I got a Medical Guardian device. She checked out some medical devices and she picked out what she thought would be the best. I’ve been lucky that I haven’t fallen, but having Medical Guardian gives me peace of mind.

My husband Sam is 85 and he has arthritis and back problems. He isn’t able to work or do anything. We live in our home and when I have to go to the grocery store, I like for him to have some way to call when something happens because in the past, he has gotten down and not been able to get up. Both my son and daughter chose Medical Guardian and paid for it for the first year. My husband has never used it for an emergency but I punch the button to check if the device is working, and we would always get a prompt return.

Medical Guardian

Patricia, we're happy that we were able to be there for you out when you did have a fall. We hope to continue to offer you peace of mind going forward. Thanks for recommending us to your neighbor and for taking advantage of our Refer-A-Friend program as well!

Original review: May 5, 2017

I used my Medical Guardian device once because I fell and their team was very pleasant and helpful. They were very prompt in getting here and getting me to the hospital. I was pleased with how fast it went. It's always peace of mind to know that I have it. If I go out or be inside alone, it's nice to have the device. I would wear the necklace but I put it on my own chain because I don't like their little black chain. I also have a bracelet that I wore a couple of times but it doesn’t stay hooked and it's getting in my way catching all my clothes. Other than that, I suggested to my neighbor that she get one because her husband falls a lot. She was pleased with how they came and helped her get her husband off the floor and back in bed. In general, Medical Guardian was great.

Our mom is 90 years old and my sister ordered the Medical Guardian for her. They had the service that we needed so we availed of their services. Our mom has both devices for the neck and for the wrist. It's been over a year now and Medical Guardian said that after a year, they were going to upgrade this particular device but that hasn’t happened yet. Other than that, our mom used it a couple of times when she fell and they were here right on time. It makes all of us feel comfortable and we’re very happy and satisfied.

Medical Guardian

Miriam, we're happy to be able to allow you to remain independent in your home. We hope that we can continue to offer you that added layer of security going forward.

Original review: April 26, 2017

My daughter got Medical Guardian for me and I’m very satisfied with it. They sent me the one I wear on my neck so I bought a gold chain for it and I use it all the time. I just had my 90th birthday and I have arthritis. I also have the shingles and it had paralyzed my eyes and left me with a double vision, so sometimes I can’t find footing when I walk and I could stray. Sometimes in the house, I’m fine but when I go outside I’m not. My kids wanted me to move with them but I don’t want to live with anyone. I’m alone and they’re concerned so Mobile Guardian is a security blanket for me.

Everyone who lives alone should have Mobile Guardian and I recommend it because I feel safe with it. I told my neighbor across the street who was 83 that she should get it even if it’s just for when she's outside and she’s thinking about it. I said that it's like a companion and I also told her that it is a very good thing to have. I told her that she can even take a shower with it.

Medical Guardian

Nancy, thank you so much for reaching out. We're sorry about that time zone mix-up but are happy we were able to resolve that issue. We agree with what you stated in your review and absolutely hope you never need to use our services in an actual emergency situation. At the same time, we are happy to offer peace of mind for you and your family going forward.

Original review: April 25, 2017

My son wanted a medical alert device for me because I live alone in my own home with my dog. He preferred Medical Guardian to the others that he looked at. He still thinks it's very good because he keeps asking me how everything's going with that. I said, "I don't have to use it and I hope I won't have to use it." But it's comforting to know that it's there. I do try to use it everyday and it works very well. I had to call them because they were calling me in the middle of the night or early. With the time difference, they had it wrong and they were waking me up with calls just to check to see how things were going.

But when we called them, they apologized and I haven't had anymore problems that way. But that's very common living here in Hawaii. People get the time situations all mixed up. I recommend Medical Guardian. They've been very kind and very interested to see that everything's going on well and when I've talked to them or when they've called just to see if I'm okay with it, they're very, very nice.

Medical Guardian

Shari, thanks for the review. We're happy to be able to give you and your family that added peace of mind when you're alone at home and when you're on the road as well.

Original review: April 23, 2017

My son and I live alone in a big house. And my son-in-law and daughter thought the Medical Guardian alert device would be the perfect thing for me. My son-in-law brought it in and hooked it up. He told me that I have to do is wear it and if I fall or do anything like that, call. And they’ll come and get me and I’ll be taken care of. I don’t have to get on the phone and call the ambulance or them in Reno. I said, “Oh, that’s great. I’ll take it over once you get through paying it”. I wear it all the time on my wrist and the one that I put around my neck. I love it.

The Medical Guardian team are very nice. I could call them any time and I never had to call upon them to come to my house. But I could tell them how I’m feeling and if it’s something to worry about. I would recommend it to anybody who has a problem and is worried because I can just throw my walker in the car and I can drive, and if I feel bad then I can pull over and get somebody out there to help me.

Medical Guardian

Allen, thank you for reaching out. Your Home Guardian wristband actually does have a low battery indicator built in that will start flashing when the battery on your device is low. When that happens (the battery usually lasts about 18 months), you can call our customer service hotline at 1-800-313-1191 for a free replacement. Also feel free to reach out with any other questions you may have.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I live alone and my kids were afraid that if I fell, there’s nobody here to help me. My kids investigated Medical Guardian and decided for me. But I’m dissatisfied with the device because you have no way of knowing whether it’s working or when it goes out unless you test it. So, you have a false sense of security. They just say to change it every year. They should build in a low battery thing to tell you to put batteries in.

We wore Medical Guardian but we never had to call them. We returned it because we have an iPhone and an Apple Watch, which covers us anywhere and anytime. We have that in our pockets and we don't pay about $50 a month. I'm 84 and my wife's 80. Since we only participate in different meetings in clubs this summer we needed protection in case we fall at home alone. We've gone through a couple of these things. The one that I had was a cellphone that hangs around my neck and that was a total mobile device. My wife didn't like that heavy pendant around her neck. So it was a small pendant she wore with any home device and it had to be tethered to the mobile unit she carried in her purse with her. It just never worked out.

She had an accident. We tripped it during the night and I had this call communicating with the device in the same room. I had tested it in the garage and it was a relatively small home. It alluded and called their service and a member of their team said he was on the way. When I tried to stop it by talking into the device around my neck, it said that I was out of cell phone range, which is stupid. So with those two incidents with the device, they thought they're protecting us but it wasn't working at least the way we thought it should. Then my phone came and there's a button on my watch which is an emergency button which directly calls 911.

I had called the team that activated it and complained that I didn't get the cell phone. Then I got a message that said it was out of cell phone range. They said to call the technical number and the same thing occurred when my wife have the problem. When we activated, the normal response team always refer us to call his other service number which is a technical one. At least twice I spent half an hour on the phone on hold and finally gave up. It was an unfortunate situation because we do other things than sit around worth half an hour waiting for a service.

I would highly recommend that they not go with Medical Guardian. If they have any smartphone capability I would recommend that pass. You get the advantage of a smartphone and essentially full coverage. You must be within range of the smartphone so when you're outside the house or whatever case it would be that you have the smartphone in the pocket. But that normally happens anywhere. Unfortunately, what happened was I came up almost accidentally with a better solution for both of us. So I'd rate the whole self-protection, the whole issue of a mature person as of this falling or injuring themselves, that principle of being able to call for help 911 is solid and I believe in that. But solving the problem has to be considered. For us, that solution was the Apple Watch and an iPhone and we're paying for that. So the rating is very low.

Medical Guardian

Terryanne, thank you for reaching out. We're happy to be able to offer you assistance in your home without a landline. Regarding reaching out to your son-in-law when there is an emergency situation, there may be some flexibility we can offer around that for your particular situation. One of our client service representatives will be reaching out to discuss our protocols during a button press to see if we can better meet your needs.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I am a post stroke survivor so I have weakness on my left side. I fall frequently and need assistance to get up. I used Medical Alert when I was in Oregon but it needs to have a landline. The one thing that was very attractive in Medical Guardian's service is not needing a landline. When I've had to utilize Medical Guardian, the responder comes on. Typically, my son-in-law is the most able to quickly get me up, he's the strongest in my responder list and when he's going to be at work or on his way to work, I try to get them to call him quickly. I understand Medical Guardian probably has a protocol or checklist of things to ask me but I just want to get them to call him so there have been times where I wanted to cut through all that and to just call my son-in-law. They just kept asking and stuck to the protocol list.

After that experience, I called into the main number and reported my concerns about that, or why I was sounding “too pissy” about the whole thing. The second time that I needed to utilize the service, the operator more quickly called my son-in-law right away. My daughter is also on the responder list and my caregiver is number three on the list. My daughter and son-in-law are out of the area a lot, and adding her to my responder list is comforting for me. There isn’t anybody else that's close to me that can get me up off the ground.

Medical Guardian

W, thank you for reaching out. We want to offer our condolences for your loss and apologize for the call you got from Curtis. We know that only added frustration to an already difficult time. We take your feedback seriously and have informed the managers of both of the sales representatives in question. Curtis' manager will personally be reaching out to you shortly to discuss this incident with you.

Original review: March 21, 2017

I had the unfortunate task of canceling my mom's account with Medical Guardian after she passed away. After 20 minutes of explaining to the service rep about my mom's passing they said they would close the account and expressed their condolences about her passing numerous times. 1 hour and 30 minutes after that call, my deceased mom's home phone gets a live voicemail message from Curtis at Medical Guardian trying to sell her a new policy at a lower monthly rate and they wished to continue her alert service at a reduced amount!!

Needless to say, that sales error can never happen in that line of work. These parasites only care about the bottom line and using the vulnerable and elderly. I recorded and kept a digital copy of Curtis's ignorant message. I called and expressed my anger and all they said was the sales person didn't know. Curtis should have known. They would not even entertain taking responsibility for their error. I would choose any other company for alert monitoring. NOT these people. They only care about $$$. Poor service.

Medical Guardian Company Profile