4.2/5 (946 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. You can choose from a range of devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Its products include mobile devices, home-based systems and a medical alert smartwatch. Medical Guardian offers fall detection as an add-on for every system it sells except the Freedom 2.0 smartwatch, which hasn’t been released at the time of publishing.

Pros

• Month-to-month contracts available
    • Transparent pricing
    • Fall detection available
    • Companion app

Cons

• Upfront fees on some packages
    • No free trial period

Bottom Line

Medical Guardian systems connect to a monitoring center that can send help 24/7. You can get a price break if you opt into an annual billing cycle, but upfront fees are required for some products, such as the Mini Guardian.

Top Medical Guardian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The device worked very well for my mother. … It allowed her to stay independent much longer because if she fell help would be on the way immediately. They always called me at home...

Verified

I'm 82 years old, living alone and I have issues as well as a pacemaker. ... I have their device around my neck and by the bed. During the day, I have my Medical Guardian watch on...

Medical Guardian alert systems

What is Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian is a medical alert company focused on products that benefit older adults who spend most of their time alone. The base unit and/or wearable device are included as part of each medical alert system plan, with additional equipment available.

Medical Guardian offers six different service packages, including all-in-one wearable and in-home systems with fall detection and two-way speakers. In-home alert devices have ranges up to 1,400 feet. On-the-go devices have a maximum battery life of seven days, depending on the device.

How does Medical Guardian work?

Medical Guardian alert systems are designed for at-home or on-the-go use. With either type of system, when you press the medical alert button, you are connected to a 24/7 medical monitoring center.

If Medical Guardian cannot confirm your safety after the alert system is activated, the operators quickly dispatch emergency medical services to your exact location.

The monitoring center does not hold information on your medical history, but it does have access to any notes you have chosen to share in your profile and can get you the help you need, whether it’s sending an ambulance for crisis care or contacting people you know for help in a nonemergency situation.

Medical Guardian monitoring centers are FM-approved and UL-listed, which means its emergency dispatch services meet specific safety and reliability standards. Medical Guardian monitoring centers also hold TMA Five Diamond certifications for operator training and ESA certifications for providing excellent emergency services.

Medical Guardian costs

Medical Guardian equipment fees are generally required for packages where you buy the equipment, but packages with leased equipment don’t have these initial fees. When available, the fall detection upgrade adds $10 a month to the monitoring fee.

Plan typeEquipment costMonthly feeOptional fall detection
    Classic GuardianLease$0$29.95
    Equipment cost$0$99.95$124.95$0$124.95Unavailable
    Monthly fee$29.95$34.95$39.95$44.95$39.95Unavailable
    Optional fall detection

Medical Guardian devices

In addition to extra services like fall detection, Medical Guardian plans can come with multiple accessory devices. These devices may be included as part of your package or for an additional monthly fee.

• Neck pendants: Water-resistant medical alert pendants include adjustable lanyards and have ranges between 600 and 1,300 feet, depending on which system you choose.
    • Wrist buttons: Similar to a watch, these water-resistant help buttons can be worn around your wrist.
    • Wireless wall buttons: Mounted wall buttons can be strategically placed throughout high-risk areas in your home. Wall buttons have a range of coverage up to 500 feet and wirelessly connect to a Medical Guardian monitoring center. Voice-activated wall buttons are also available.
    • Lockboxes: With a lockbox, emergency responders can gain access to your home without causing any damage to doorways. Lockboxes come free with annual subscription plans and can be added to any plan for an additional charge.

Medical Guardian FAQ

Is Medical Guardian covered by Medicare?
    Original Medicare does not cover medical alert devices, but some Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) will partially reimburse you for your medical alert system costs.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system?
    No, you do not have to sign any contracts to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system. The company offers monthly, quarterly and annual payment plans.
    What is Medical Guardian’s return policy?
    You can call to cancel at any time, but Medical Guardian’s return policy states that any leased equipment must be returned to the company for the cancellation to take effect. Any remaining time left in the service plan period is refunded. Restocking fees may apply.
    Where are Medical Guardian monitoring centers located?
    Medical Guardian’s monitoring center is 100% U.S.-based, but the company doesn’t disclose a more specific location. Its services are available in all 50 states, though.
    Do Medical Guardian emergency response services require a landline?
    Only the Classic Guardian package requires a landline. All other Medical Guardian plans can run on a cellular network.
    Does Medical Guardian offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, Medical Guardian provides a warranty against wear and tear. It also offers a Protection Plan that covers any costs related to a lost, stolen or damaged device. This optional plan can be purchased when you buy the system.

Is Medical Guardian worth it?

Medical Guardian alert systems can be a smart option for anyone with a critical medical condition or people who are at risk of falling or in recovery from a significant health event. Compare its products and services with those from other medical alert companies to make sure you’re getting the right system for your or your loved one’s needs.

Medical Guardian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: March 12, 2022

The individuals I dealt with were very kind and answered questions so that I understood. I received the Medical Guardian equipment in a short period of time. I dropped it (in Indiana). One always wonders if there will be an immediate response if needed. I had one. While in Florida, I dropped it (arthritic hands). I received another immediate response. It is a great travel companion. I consider this purchase a success.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 10, 2022

The issue I’ve had as a caregiver for my mom is the App… It is too hard to access and won’t even open up most of the time. Read the App Store reviews for more details. The unit itself is great and so easy to Use and there was no installation. Just charge it up and go!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

I was looking for a medical device that I could have with fall alert protection. Medical Guardian is supplying me with this protection. I was not happy with the first equipment I received but when called to set up the system, I was told of optional pieces. I am now thrilled with my small pendant and the system. Hopefully I will only have to press the alarm button once a month for a test.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

I spoke to Allison. She was well informed and very polite. She answered all my questions and made me feel comfortable making my decision to go with Guardian.

I received my Mini Guardian three days ago. I charged the battery then spoke with a women who went over my instructions. Very easy to set up. Thank you, Carol

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

It is very easy to set up. We got both the wrist unit and the neck pendant, so if we get tired of one, we can switch. Three dollars more per month to add that option. We are pleased and will recommend it to our friends. I sure hope that Medical Guardian does not sell my phone number or e-mail!!! THAT would piss me

off. !!!!

Original review: May 18, 2022

Fall detection is a main part of this device in case of the stroke. I use this device for some time until noticed that fall detection doesn't work. It doesn't work even after upgrading to a new device. Customer representatives rare pick up the phone on Saturdays.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I advised the initial person I spoke to I had a METAL roof..The device they sent (that I purchased) does NOT work with the metal roof situation -New device was to come Friday (2 days ago). Has not ... Have no idea what the device they are sending is-but feel the salesperson SHOULD have advised what I wanted would not work with metal roofs...It was CLEAR to him a few times CELL DOES NOT Work IN The house because of a metal roof--WHY didn't he tell me I couldn't get what I wanted?

Original review: May 5, 2022

I received my new medical watch a week ago and when I was setting it up I could not get the steps to work. Then called the rep that sold me the watch and he did not know how to setup the steps and he put me through to customer care, a lady got on the phone and she was unsure how to set it up so she put me on hold for 12 minutes then came back and tried a few things with me, still did not work, put me on hold again for another 11 minutes then came back and said someone would call me before 5pm today. Received a call a 4pm and was told they would be sending me a new watch and I would have to return the one I have to them. Overall I have wasted 2 hours of my day with the customer care and salesman

Original review: May 2, 2022

Needs better battery technology and had to glue string back to clasp already with a hot glue gun. Paid a lot of money and had to fix it in the first 6 months. Considering looking for a different one in the future. Not sure I would recommend this one to friends or family. Idk!?

Original review: March 30, 2022

Contents of purchase arrived intact and on time. However the lock box did not arrive with the correct 4 digit code. Once installed on the door it wouldn't open. The tech support said the company dropped the ball and said we should call a locksmith to remove the box. NO. Very disappointed in their response.

Medical Guardian Company Information