2. Medical Alert Systems

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.51/5
Get 1 FREE Month + FREE Ground Shipping*
*Partner terms and conditions apply.

Medical Guardian offers 24/7 monitoring with a wide range of devices for at-home and mobile use. Its products include family plans, mobile devices, home-based systems and even a medical alert watch. The company offers fall detection with certain devices. It monitors for emergencies and provides an app for caretakers to check in.

Medical Guardian Video
Medical Guardian Gallery (5)

BOTTOM LINE

Medical Guardian provides home and mobile medical alert systems to ensure safety anywhere. There’s no free trial, but its prices are decent, installation is easy and you can cancel at any time.

PROS

• Variety of options
  • Automatic fall detection available
  • No long-term contract
  • Caretaker app

CONS

• No free trial period
  • Average pricing

Top Medical Guardian Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

I can't get up when I fall. I now have Medical Guardian's device that goes around my neck. It goes when I go. I haven't had to use it, but so far it's easy to handle. The Medical Guardian team has been very cooperative and very easy to deal with.

I'm 82 years old, living alone and I have... a pacemaker. I wanted to make sure I was covered and so I got a medical alert. … During the day, I have my Medical Guardian watch on. Having it makes me feel secure and safe.

Medical Guardian Learn More

Medical Guardian products

What is Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian is a company focused on products that benefit older adults who spend most of their time alone. With services like activity monitoring and fall detection, Medical Guardian alert systems can also be a smart option for anyone with a critical medical condition or who’s hard of hearing, at risk of falling or in recovery from a significant health event.

Medical Guardian offers six different service plans that can fit almost any lifestyle or budget, and system options include in-home and on-the-go portable devices. You can add fall detection to any plan for an additional charge.

Although Medical Guardian doesn't offer a free trial period, there’s no service cancellation fee, and customers receive full prorated refunds for unused time. Another plus for customers is the flexibility of Medical Guardian's monitoring agreements. The company’s monitoring centers provide 24/7 emergency response, and its automatic monthly tests ensure the two-way voice communication technology is always working.

Medical Guardian cost comparison

Monthly payment*Quarterly payment*Semiannual payment*Annual payment*
Classic Guardian$29.95$89.85$179.70$329.45
Home Guardian$34.95$104.85$209.70$384.45
Family Guardian$79.95$239.85$479.70$879.45
Mobile Guardian$49.95$149.85$299.70$549.45
Active Guardian$39.95$119.85$239.70$439.45
Freedom Guardian$44.95$134.85$269.45$494.45
Mini Guardian$39.95$119.85$239.70$439.45

*At the time of publishing

How does Medical Guardian work?

When you press the medical alert button, you are instantly connected to the medical monitoring center staffed with emergency call operators 24/7. The center has access to your medical history and can get you the help you need, whether it’s sending an ambulance for crisis care or contacting people you know for help in a non-emergency situation.

If Medical Guardian cannot confirm your safety after the alert system is activated, the operators quickly dispatch emergency medical services to your exact location.

Medical Guardian monitoring centers are FM-approved and UL-listed, which means its emergency dispatch services meet specific safety and reliability standards. Medical Guardian monitoring centers also hold TMA Five Diamond certifications for operator training and ESA certifications for providing excellent emergency services.

Compare Medical Guardian features

With home and mobile medical alert systems, Medical Guardian has many options to choose from when it comes to your safety and well-being. Wearable emergency pendants for in-home and on-the-go use can also be equipped with automatic fall detection technology and more.

GPSWi-Fi enabledActivity sensorsCellular connection
Wi-Fi enabled
Activity sensors
Cellular connection

Medical Guardian products and services

Medical Guardian plans can be upgraded to include in-home safety sensors that monitor activity, fall alert detection, voice-activated wall buttons and the Family Guardian app. The app lets family members or caretakers monitor a loved one's health and activity levels.

• Fall detection: Medical Guardian fall detection can be added to any plan for an additional $10 per month. Fall alert pendants automatically detect when the wearer falls and signals for help without the pressing of a button. Please note that fall detection devices don’t detect 100% of all falls.
  • Lockbox: Lockboxes come free with annual subscription plans and can be added to any plan. With a lockbox, emergency responders can gain access to your home without causing any damage to doorways.
  • Neck pendant: Water-resistant medical alert pendants can be added to Medical Guardian medical alert systems for added protection. They include adjustable lanyards and have depth ranges between 600 and 1,300 feet.
  • Wrist button: Similar to a watch, the water-resistant help button is worn around your wrist. Wrist buttons come standard with some packages or can be purchased separately.
  • Mounted wall button: Mounted wall buttons can be strategically placed throughout high-risk areas in your home. Wall buttons have a range of coverage up to 2,000 feet and wirelessly connect to a Medical Guardian monitoring center.
  • Car charger: Medical Guardian car chargers are a convenient way to ensure the battery never gets low while traveling. The car charger comes standard with the Mobile Guardian plan.
  • Protection plan: Medical Guardian’s protection plan guarantees medical alert systems’ expenses if a device is ever lost, stolen or damaged.
  • Mini Guardian: Portable and wearable device that uses a 4G LTE cellular connection for an unlimited range of coverage.

Medical Guardian FAQ

Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system?
No, you do not have to sign any contracts to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system.
What is Medical Guardian’s return policy?
It doesn't cost anything to cancel, and this can be done by calling Medical Guardian customer service. Medical Guardian’s return policy states any equipment provided by Medical Guardian must be returned to the company. Any remaining time left in the service plan period is refunded in up to 30 days. Some Medical Guardian complaints refer to restocking fees that can apply.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Medical Guardian’s monitoring service?
Multiple people can be protected if the monitoring service has more than one medical help button. A second medical alert necklace or wristband is monitored free when purchased with a Classic Guardian or Home Guardian plan.
Where are Medical Guardian monitoring centers located?
Medical Guardian monitoring centers are located in the United States, and monitoring services are available in all 50 states.
Do Medical Guardian emergency response services require a landline?
The Classic Guardian device plan is the only service that requires a landline. All other Medical Guardian service plans do not require a landline.
Does Medical Guardian offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
The Medical Guardian warranty protects any equipment provided by the company if it’s defective or if the battery needs to be replaced. An optional protection plan can be purchased to cover the cost for needed repairs and replacements resulting from loss or theft.
Does Medical Guardian offer a free trial period?
Medical Guardian does not offer a free trial period.
Is Medical Guardian covered by Medicare?
Some Medicare Advantage plans, like Medicare Part C, partially reimburse costs associated with a medical alert system. However, standard Medicare does not cover medical alert devices.

Do we recommend Medical Guardian?

While there are other companies that might be cheaper or offer more products, Medical Guardian remains consistent overall with quality products and a good reputation for service. With the development of multiple long-range, wireless medical alert systems such as the Mini Guardian, the Freedom Guardian and the GPS-enabled Mobile Guardian, this company provides products that are ideal for users who need medical monitoring but value their independence.

Medical Guardian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I got the virus and my friend called Medical Guardian and ordered a device for me, and she had it sent to my house. I live alone and my kids are in California. They were worried about me being alone with the virus. I fell down the front steps with it on. I hurt my shoulder. I couldn't get off the step. People weren't stopping because everybody's afraid of the virus. They knew I had the virus. They're afraid they're gonna get it. So, all the neighbors that were on the beach walking by does not stop to help me up. I was able to call the ambulance and made a lot of trouble getting me up because of the shoulder and my weight. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow because my shoulder is still in bad shape. I can't use the right arm much at all.

I called Medical Guardian a couple of times because there were a few questions on it. One was the water. The brochure says, it can take the water slightly. Somebody said, "No, don't shower with it." When my friend bought it, they said, "You can shower with it," which is one of the selling spiels that she went by. And then they told me I can't shower with it. Then they told me yes again when I ordered one for my friend's husband who just fell down the stairs. But he doesn't want it. He said he's gonna return it. He's 84 and has Parkinson's. He goes in his workshop for four hours. His wife never hears about him. He was doing some work himself, and he slid down the stairs.

He's a machinist. He's retired but still works on these big machines. His comment was, "I can't hang anything like that around my neck working on these machines." I said, "No, no, no. You put it in your pocket." It's a smaller black one. I bought the fall device, too. If he falls, it kinda had a comment in there that it will always recognize when you fall. When I ordered it, it's $10 for a month. He said it works, but he was concerned about it. We're at the yacht club Friday and he said, "It doesn't say anything. One little brochure doesn't say anything about falling." I said, "It's there, little left hand corner. Not much is said but it's there. You gotta pay extra for it." So, I paid extra for it. I said, "If you fall, it'll be in there."

I find that I'm charging my device more than I expected. When you're charging it, you don't have it on. I have to schedule the charging. I'll put the charging dock next to my recliner where I sleep. Overall, it was so comforting to have my Medical Guardian device the first time living through the virus, not being able to breathe and being alone. I didn't have it when I was in the worst state. But then when I had it, it was like, "Wow," what a nice feeling to have this.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I’m happy about Medical Guardian. I was looking at the TV and then I checked the different ones that looked the best to me and I picked one of them, which happened to be Medical Guardian. They have a few things. I got that little thing that goes around the neck, and then the GPS thing. My granddaughter did most of the setting up for me. She was over here and she tested it out as well. I wear the wristband mainly in the house. Most times during the day, I also put the GPS on 'cause I go out and I never know when I’m gonna go. It stays good within 300 feet of where the GPS is. The way I understand it, if I have to leave it in the house and go farther than 300 feet, it wouldn’t be covered.

The main reason I have a Medical Guardian device is that my wife has dementia and her dentist who’s a good friend of ours said that I needed the button because I have her full time. I do all service for her 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It's just me and her in the house and our friend said that if I fell or something and couldn't get in touch with anybody, my wife wouldn’t be able to shout. She doesn't know how to call out or anything like that and I’d have to do it myself. If I could mash the button, I could get help that way. I haven't had to use the button yet and I look at this like a do life insurance. I don't look to collect on it, but if I have to get the button, I got my daughter as the number one person to contact, and my granddaughter as the second person to contact.

I got two keys in the box on the front door, so that nobody has a problem. However, I need to have a note made some way to make sure that somebody will take my place because if they take me out of the house, my wife would be here unattended. I want to let somebody know that they wouldn't be just contacting my daughter. If she had to be the one to come out, then I'd have to have my granddaughter too. In case they had to take me to the hospital, my wife has to have my granddaughter with her 'cause of the dementia. You couldn’t take my wife with me to the hospital ‘cause everywhere I go, she has to go. If you asked her anything, she wouldn’t know. She wouldn’t answer.

Original review: May 16, 2020

I used to be a hunter and spend a lot of time in the woods. And then I would fall for no reason and in order to get up, I had to find a tree that was close by, which is easy in the woods of course so it didn't take too much. I never said anything to my kids about it. But then one of the girls that hunted with us saw me falling, and she told my son.

My daughter is the one that worries the most. Like if I was going downstairs, she would hold my hand or my belt. When I went to the doctors, she went to all of the appointments because she says that I don't listen to what the doctor says. It's not a big deal. But the kids notice that I mix them up. I had to do a test. My daughter takes care of all my meds and takes care of me. She told the surgeon what was happening. And then, he said, "That's not something you want to fool around with. That's in your brain." He and then his associate talked me into getting a stent put into my head. And they explained what it is and that I had too much pressure in the brain and my spinal cord wasn't able to handle all of the liquids. So, they had to bypass it. I had the surgery, and it worked out fine. It's going pretty good.

One time, I was home alone and I was looking for a magnifying glass that I knew I had near my sofa, and I figured it must have fallen behind it. So, I laid on the rug and I looked underneath the sofa, but I could not see it. But when I tried to get up, I couldn't lift my head. I couldn't move. So, I said, "Oh, I got a phone right over there." I usually try to carry a cell phone with me. I was in the house and it's handy. I just took the cell phone and said I would call my eldest son. He's the closest. His office is five minutes up the road. I would have him come help me up.

In the meantime, the gentleman from Medical Guardian that I talked to on the phone was very nice. The people are nice to do business with. It was the first time I actually heard the alarm going off so I didn't know what it would sound like. But I was down, and all of a sudden somebody said, "Joseph, are you all right?" I just told her I was laying down and I couldn't get up. She wanted to know if I needed any help, and I said no because I have four children all within five minutes of me. My eldest son came in, turned around and got behind me. I couldn't sit up. I couldn't move my head. So, he reached underneath my armpits and picked me up. And as soon as I was standing, I was fine.

Original review: May 15, 2020

My husband was hospitalized for 17 days. When he came out of the hospital, he was not able to walk very well anymore so he was a severe fall risk. It was very important for us to have the device because I had to work. At that time, I was away from home. Even though I work part-time, we still needed it. It gave me a sense of security knowing that he was able to call for help when I was gone. I made sure he always had his bracelet on. It doesn’t seem to bother him unless he had it on too long like overnight, or if he forgot to take it off and then it could get a little itchy under there. But most of the time, we just put it on when I leave the house. He had to use it a couple times when he fell so it does what it says it’s going to do, and it has been very reliable.

One problem that we had right at the beginning was I did not see anything in the set-up instructions that said we had to call Medical Guardian to set it up. We had to call in and give them more information. A lot of information was taken when I ordered the product. And then when we got it, we plugged it in and we ran through the operating instructions. But they needed to include in there, “You must call when you first set this up.” What happened was, he fell and it didn’t work because we haven’t called in. It’s really important that they need to add that in those instructions when you first open it up. I went back and checked the instructions, and it’s not in there. It needs to be in red or something, “You must call in,” otherwise even though it seems like it’s working, all the lights are working and everything, but it’s not. You’re not connected and Medical Guardian doesn’t know who you are.

I voiced my concerns to them when we realized it wasn’t setup. It’s really important that people knew that, especially when you’re getting this, you have someone who is impaired, in one way or another so you’re doing this for their safety and probably they’re coming out of the hospital or whatever, their mind is deteriorating. You can be under a lot of stress and worries and upset. It’s really important for Medical Guardian to really stress that. That’s just the only thing that really bothers me and that needs to be changed. It’s a very good product, it’s reasonably priced and it does work, but they just need to include those instructions.

Original review: May 8, 2020

My daughter decided I get the device. I suffered a blackout and it happened as I was walking through the door from the garage to the kitchen. And when I collapsed, I hit my head on the top of a tile countertop. That was a year ago and I still am not completely recovered. I'm dizzy. I cannot get up and down the stairs without assistance. I suffered a subdural hematoma. It's one of those crazy accidents that only happen once in a million times that you've gone to a doorway. We tested the device around the 1st of the month. My daughter checks it when she comes out. She comes out every three to four weeks. She's an RN so she's aware of all of these things and she said, "Okay, works just fine."

The only objection I have is that the strap on the device that you wear around your wrist is horrible. I would like to know if Medical Guardian has a different band that I can purchase from them to replace. I don't know whether my arms are too thin. It's just horrible. It slides around or it falls. It’s not going to be a problem for somebody who has heavy arms because it won't slide down over their hand. But I’ve had it slide down over my hand several times. One time, I lost it and had to look all over. I found it under a sheet on the bed and when I was making the bed, it slid off and it was under the sheet. So, you can tell how loose it was.

I have been looking for something I can buy and put on that watch instead of the strap that's on it. We get all these catalogs now because there's no in-store shopping. And a couple of them have a strap that goes in the two slots on the watch. And they have them available in catalogs but I am not able to drive. I walk with a cane so it's inconvenient in many ways. But I'm concerned that this watch could slide off and you'd never know. It would be gone.

I live in a gated community and they've been notified up at the gate, so Medical Guardian has all the information in the event that I would need assistance. I have the lock on the door and I have the security people here. I am very grateful for all of the assistance but I don't want to lose the equipment that makes all these things possible. I would strongly recommend that Medical Guardian look at the problem with the medallion or whatever they call it, sliding back and forth. But other than that, I've had no need to use the services.

Original review: April 1, 2021

The device worked very well for my mother the choice of a necklace or a wrist band was very nice to have. It allowed her to stay independent much longer because if she fell help would be on the way immediately. They always called me at home to notify me that her device had been activated. Peace of mind... priceless.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I was very excited about the Freedom Guardian Watch because it was everything I needed for my mother. I read the reviews and did my research then placed my order. This arrived in about 5 days and I was quick to charge it for the night so I could set it up in the morning. I woke up, made my coffee and called the company to activate it. Now, I live in the suburb of a large city and getting a phone signal is not a problem. This was a problem for the watch so the Tech asked if I could try standing outside to see if this would help. It seems that a metal roof or siding will block the signal (I have neither). Well, there is freezing rain and sub zero but I took one for the team and went outside (really the doorway and held the watch out further) this changed nothing. The watch would not connect to the signal of AT&T.

I was able to test the system and talk to the operator when I pushed the help button. The Tech suggested I power it off and try setting it up at my mother's home. Upon arriving to my mother's I called the Tech back and powered up the watch. Now there is NO signal. The person I was talking to was very nice and easy to work with. She told me the watch is only 3G and lots of areas are weeding this out for the faster 4 and 5G. There is also a "VERY small antenna in the watch that limits its range." Her words. She then told me I was by a lake and around a lot of trees which can also block the signal - really! Well the GPS is working. I asked if they were upgrading this watch and this was a no. I think this could be a great product if they pick a better phone carries and stronger antenna. I'm so sad but I am returning this product. I feel the technology already exists - Guardian please team up with Apple watch and make this work for our seniors.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

My mother has the MiniGuardian, and recently fell (first incident with the unit). The system did in fact summon an ambulance crew (my mother pressed the button). But the crew could not get into the house for 15 minutes -- until I noticed flashing red lights from the window and opened the front door (I was actually home, but was pre-occupied in a different part of the house). What about the lockbox code? The crew was told by the dispatcher there was no such code. But after the incident, I called customer service and inquired about the lockbox code and the rep immediately told it to me! But the dispatcher (called the next day by pressing the button on the device) stated there was no lockbox code.

What about calling emergency contacts? None were called (including myself who is first in the list to be called). The customer service rep said that there were none in the system and that's why no one was called. I told him to pull up the scanned signed doc of the system agreement which he did, and he admitted that yes there were four emergency contacts listed. He could not explain why the info was not in the system. To summarize: The system -- when needed -- only came through for summoning the ambulance, but failed on providing lockbox code, and failed on calling emergency contacts.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

The Medical Guardian equipment was bulky and heavy, and my mom didn't like it; we tried two different products, so we gave it all a shot. I received confirmation that the returned equipment was received on 8/6/2020 and was told to allow a ridiculous 30 days for a refund. I went along, but when I hadn't received a refund my next credit card bill, I called on 9/21/20. Still no refund on 9/24, so I submitted a dispute via my credit card company. On 10/11/2020 the credit card company reversed its refund and told me the dispute was still in play.

On 10/21/2020, I called and talked with Barbara who told me that Medical Guardian hadn't been able to refund my money because of the refund dispute, even though the transaction had been reversed TEN DAYS prior. She said I would be credited within 72 hours. What malarkey. I told her that if the refund weren't posted in that time, I would go ahead and work through my state's district attorney. She said, "OK" without any apology for this poor service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I order the home medical alert system for my mother end of 2019. I was told when I purchased the system and paid for a year of services that I had 30 days to try the product, and would receive a full refund if I was not satisfied. I made sure the warranty was for 30 days because this was a Christmas gift, and I knew my mother would be leaving for 2 weeks the day after Christmas, so it would be at least 2 weeks before she could try it out. I asked extensive questions about the warranty and return policy, and because of the answers I received I was comfortable paying for a year of services. That was a mistake.

The additional call boxes were not synced with the base unit, nor could I get them to sync. We had issues getting the base unit to work with the cable based phone system, which I was assured would not be problem when I placed the order. When we called to get assistance the call center was either closed (not open on Sundays, but the website said it was when I was researching), too busy to help at that point in time, or the person was completely incompetent and couldn't help at all. We called 4 or 5 times trying to get this system to work.

I decided to return the system, so I packed everything up and paid out of my own pocket for the return shipping and insurance. When I finally received my refund about 6 weeks later, it was $50 short. I called to find out why, and was told the warranty was only 15 days therefore I was being charged for shipping and the 1st month of services. What it comes down to is this company charged me $50 for nothing but lies, deceit, and frustration.

I was going to file a complaint with my State Attorney General's office, but once the pandemic hit I felt there were bigger problems in the world. If this is how they are treating me, I have serious concerns about they are treating the disabled and elderly consumers this service is designed for. I spent hours online doing research on different companies and felt this was the best service for the price. Remember, you get what you pay for, and Medical Guardian will rip you off. Take your business elsewhere.

Medical Guardian Company Information