Call toll free
4.10/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

Medical Guardian Video
Medical Guardian Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Family members recommend Medical Guardian for their loved ones. Most reviewers praise the company's fast response time and friendly customer service.

PROS

• Friendly customer service
  • Easy-to-push button
  • Fast response time
  • Can be taken into shower
  • Alerts emergency contact and medical services

CONS

• Lower battery life
  • Weak speakerphone inside device

316 Medical Guardian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Resolution response: Nov. 7, 2018

MG contacted me and all is well. Happy to say I'm a customer once more. The 2 way communication with an operator is quick, loud and clear. Thanks for the quick response and resolution.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Watch was not working out for us, so I exchanged the watch for the pendant. After receiving the pendant I sent the watch back using the return slip provided. I was never asked why I decided to exchange devices. Medical Guardian will not refund the $99 for the watch because I did not state the reason for return instead I cancelled my service which I prepaid $550. Medical Guardian would rather fight to keep $99 and give back $550 and lose a customer.

Medical Guardian response

Steve, we're happy to be able to have resolved this issue for you quickly and happy to keep you as a customer. Have a great day!

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Medical Guardian has me given peace of mind in knowing that I have a fallback. I try to go to the farm most I can and I know I got backup okay. Although this pendant is not designed to stay where it’s supposed to be, my daughter and I have tied knots to overcome that problem. I punched my device one time by accident and it alerted me. My cellphone was the first up, and I just told Medical Guardian everything’s okay.

Medical Guardian response

Joe, thank you for the review. We're happy to give you and your loved ones that additional peace of mind!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I was always setting off the necklace that I had and I didn't care for it so we decided to go with Medical Guardian. My daughter did some research and found that to be the best one. I wear the device on my wrist and I’ve had it for three months. I like it and I have no complaints at all. It feels smaller and it fits better where I have to put it. It would be a good idea for my friends to check into it and I hope they’re as happy as I am.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Medical Guardian could be beneficial later on if I need to call. Plus, it’s good for when I’m away from home. Having that service makes me feel safer for somewhere, and when we need help right away, we know that they can find me. When I tested my button, Medical Guardian's response time was quick. So far, my experience has been fine.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Evelyn doesn't get around well by herself and she's pretty much housebound. She knows she's not supposed to get up but sometimes, she does. So the Medical Guardian device was a precaution for her. We checked it out when we first got it. And It doesn't bother her when wearing the device around her neck. However, we were supposed to get the lockbox, which we never did. I reached out to them about that because we're getting charged for it. It's disgusting when you order and pay $37 a month for something, but you don’t get it. Then you call, and they tell you they’ll ship it right out, and you still don’t get it three months later.

Medical Guardian response

Diane, thank you for reaching out. We are sorry that the lockbox that was promised was not received. We are going to place another request for a lockbox to be sent out and will be in touch to work out the details. Have a great day!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My wife and I are having falling problems, so my son got us a Medical Guardian, which I wear around my wrist because I have a pacemaker. The lady that checked my pacemaker said that if we had a device like this, was it’d be better if I didn’t wear it around my neck because it could get over my pacemaker and might cause it to act up. I’ve gotten used to wearing it and I’m completely satisfied with it.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

My kids were nagging me of getting a medical alert device because of my medical conditions. And I live alone so they were afraid I would fall. I looked at Medical Guardian. I went online and it was one of the top five, and I kinda trusted that. I always looked at the negative first and then, I looked at the positive comments, and I was impressed. I called them and I got a device immediately. It was easy to set up, and I’ve been wearing it ever since. I accidentally used the button within the first week. I was at a Mexican bar reaching across the table for guacamole, and I accidentally pushed the button against the table. And Medical Guardian's response was immediate. I spoke with their representatives and they were very friendly. I also know other people who have used it, and they’re very happy with it. I was really pleased that I was able to get a gear in advance. So I paid 10 months and got two months free. I’m very happy with Medical Guardian.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had a heart problem and the doctor recommended Medical Guardian to me. I've been using the device for about a month and as far as I know, the sense of security is okay.

Medical Guardian response

Gloria, thank you for the feedback. We hope your sense of security continues to increase as you grow more comfortable with your device. Please feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Two years ago, my femur broke while I was standing in the shower in two places. I have a rod down my right leg and had a knee replacement since then in the same leg. I’m living by myself now and since my son does Medicare supplements, he knows which medical alert company is good and which one isn’t. He wanted Medical Guardian and set me up for it. Since using the device, I feel good because I wear the band so it goes with me wherever I go in the apartment, if I go out to take garbage or if I go to the mail, so I feel very safe. One time, the device went off when our electricity was going out to tell me it was going out. I've told a few of my friends to use Medical Guardian.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I am old and my son worries about me. I live alone and in case I trip by myself and fell, and I have to actually get ahold of somebody, he got the Medical Guardian for me. There can’t always be somebody here with me but so far, I haven’t had to use it. One evening, I was gonna call when I fell off the couch and hurt my head. When I got up, I was okay and I didn’t have to call but I feel confident because I know if I have to have them, I got that, and I could call them. It’s very nice to have it and it’s quite handy.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I tripped, fell two times and broke my wrists. I needed a medical alert device and got Medical Guardian. I accidentally touched the red button and the Medical Guardian team called me. They wanted to know what happened and if I needed them. They were very alert and kind. When I pressed the button, they came. They answered right away. I like the device. I wear it around my neck. At first, it was annoying. I knew it was there but now I don’t even know it’s there. If my friends would ask I would tell them to try it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Fast, accurate, to the point and courteous!! I have been thoroughly pleased with speed and pleasantness of monthly testing and the ease of canceling accidental alarms. Thank you for thinking of the customer feelings and wellbeing in your customer relations department.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for the kind review James and Patricia. We're happy to be able to serve you both.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I wanted something to give me a little assurance just in case something happened. I live alone, I’m 80 years old, and I have some health issues. I’m still able to walk around and everything, but have a fear of falling and really hurting myself where I couldn't get up and get to anyone for a while. It happened to somebody that I know that he fell one day, and it was several days before anybody found him. I looked online and saw that Medical Guardian was ranked very high as far as people’s satisfaction. I got ahold of them and made a deal. I thought about using another one that’s local. I called them and somebody was supposed to call me back, but they did two or three days later.

The explanation how to use the alert came very good. Also, Medical Guardian showed me how I should make a test with it each month and make sure everything was working. My only objection was, I tested them yesterday and it seemed like it was a bit longer than I expected before the call that was actually made to them and somebody actually got to you. It was maybe 45 seconds to a minute, which doesn’t sound like very long, but if you were lying there hurting, that could be a long time.

Medical Guardian response

John, thank you for the feedback. A response time of under one minute is typical for our devices, so it sounds like your device is functioning as it should. This should be a quick enough response time to get you the help you need. Please don't hesitate to reach back out with any other questions or concerns. Have a great day!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

When I came down the stairs on July 16th, I couldn’t breathe well enough to go back upstairs, so I went to the emergency room. The week after that, I got the Medical Guardian. It was on the top of the list of the comparison on the internet. Now, if I got the same experience coming down the stairs, I got the push button thing on my wrist that and I can just push it then they'll know where to find me. I’ve also tested the button several times at home.

Today, I’m in a motel in Owensville, Missouri. I brought my base station and its remote, then I tested it again and they found me right here at Owensville Motor Inn. It took about half a minute to get an operator on the phone with them but after that, I haven’t tested the button to see how fast the ambulance would look for me. But it was a good thing that the GPS knows wherever I go. I would also tell others to choose the one with the GPS over the one where you just stay in home. It doesn't cost that much more a month and I could take it down to Walmart with me, and if there was a problem, I could just hit the button.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have the black and white Medical Guardian device that goes around my neck, and I also have a thing hanging on the wall for emergency to push. I like the way the device looks, and it's better than the little metal one. So far, so good. I expect I will be using it more as time goes on.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I wear my Medical Guardian device around my neck, and I’m used to it but there are times when I wish it was not there. Still, I feel more secure with it. So far, my experience has been good. I had two false alarms because I hit my garbage can twice. Medical Guardian's team responded quickly and they were very nice.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

My daughter lives in Alabama and she wants me safe. I recently moved to Clark-Lindsey, an assisted living village, so I wasn’t too keen on getting a medical alert device. But after I got here, I discovered it has a lot of benefits. I have had a therapist to help me overcome some disk issues in my back and she said that I’m so much stronger now than when I moved here that she doesn’t feel the need for her to continue coming once a week. And so, she told me that she was going to release me and I would be okay to continue with the exercises that she gave me and the regimen that I am now doing on my own. I needed the Medical Guardian monitor to make sure that I was okay. The Medical Guardian team was very courteous. They showed me how to do it the first time and I’ve been able to do that. Medical Guardian is definitely superior and I feel very comfortable using it. I now use it in the shower. It works.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

My youngest son got the Medical Guardian for me and I have it for about two months now. He lives in Maryland and I live up here in Upper Michigan. I also live alone so he thought I should have it just in case I should fall. And I don’t have these cellphones and apps that everybody has, so it’s gonna come in handy if I ever need it. It’s a good thing to have and I feel more safe with it. Now I have somebody to call immediately if something happens. I tested the device right after we got it hooked up and their response was very quick. A lady came on the line immediately.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

When I talked to Medical Guardian in the beginning, they told me that when I'm gonna be away from home and will be up at our summer place for a while, just to call and let them know what the phone number would be up there, and that would be taken care of. So far, Medical Guardian has been great.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I'm 72 and I'm having a little problem with arthritis. My legs are giving me problems, and I live alone, so I decided it might be a good time to start having a backup in case I fall and need to get ahold of somebody. I chose Medical Guardian myself when I saw the name advertised. It sounded like a good deal. I don’t always wear the device but it makes me feel good knowing that I have it. I have the Mobile which I wear around my neck and at night, I put it by my pillow. Every other night, I have to charge it. I’ve had it for five months and both the equipment and the company has been very good. I contacted them and they were very cooperative.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I love that they alert me when the battery life is too low so it can be charged even when away from home. This feature gives me peace of mind the my family member is always able to get help when needed.

Medical Guardian response

Veronica, thank you for the review. We're happy to provide you and your loved ones with that additional peace of mind. Have a lovely day!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I’m 86 and my husband’s 87. Also, I broke my shoulder one time and I fractured the other shoulder. Plus my husband’s not very well now. Our cousins live around the corner, so mostly they’re concerned and they are good to us. Someone insisted we get the Medical Guardian and bought it without our knowledge. Then we paid of it. My husband hated it but I know it was considerate of them and I know it’s a good idea, so I don’t mind having it. I’m glad we have it, but I’m glad we haven’t had to use it.

A guy tested the button for us once and he said that we should do it once a month, but I haven’t done it. He came over the other day and did something. He said that the box wasn’t working, but the app, the bracelet, and the other thing were. He also said that he was going to come and check it again, but he hasn’t done that yet.

Medical Guardian response

Claire, thank you for the review. We're happy that neither you nor your husband has needed to use our services as of yet. We do however want to follow-up on your concerns regarding your device working properly. We will be in touch shortly to discuss further. Have a great day!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I'm living by myself and my previous medical alert device was messing up and sending messages that I needed help when I didn't need help. It sends out an alert every time I bump something or hug somebody. I switched to Medical Guardian and I like that the alarm doesn't get set off so easy, although it takes you a little bit of time to hold it down to only second or two. I got two daughters and a whole bunch of grandkids and they're all happy. Having Medical Guardian sends help to get people and the family peace of mind. I would recommend their company.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

My mother is weak and we didn’t wanna have her fall when we were not here so we got Medical Guardian's alert device for her. The base sits on the table and she wears the pendant around her neck. She has had the device for three months and it gives us peace of mind that we could be notified if she should fall. She has pushed the help button a couple of times by accident and we've tested it to make sure that it works. It works and the Medical Guardian team was able to respond in three minutes, but it could be a little faster. So far, though, Medical Guardian's alert service is working out well.

Medical Guardian response

Cathy, we're happy to be there for you and your mother for those times when she's alone at home. Thanks for the review.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

My daughter signed me up for Medical Guardian and I have the device on my wrist all the time. So far, it's been fine. I haven't had any unhappy experiences with it at all. If I need help, I push the button and it makes a big noise in the house. So then someone comes and help me.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Any time I have had to contact Medical Guardian they have responded quickly, always friendly and able to answer any of my questions. Thank goodness I have not had an emergency but it is nice to know they are there.

Medical Guardian response

Lois, thank you for the review. We hope you never need to make use of our services but are happy to provide you and your loved ones with that additional peace of mind. Have a great day!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have been very pleased with my Medical Guardian Service. Upon activating it I needed to use it two times in the first two weeks. It performed exactly as I was told it would. The only thing I am not happy about is the little wire that hooks the button to the lanyard. The ends are sharp and the wire is not strong enough to hold its shape so the ends stick out and scratch my skin. I have to tape it up, which makes it look less than neat. I am very happy that the button does not engage so easily that it goes off unexpectedly. It has to be pushed intentionly. Very satisfied!

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for the review Judith! We're happy to have been there for you in your time of need. It sounds like you got our device at just the right time!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I had Lifeline for a number of years and it would always go off when I was trimming the bushes outside if I rushed against something. Then, people would be coming to check and see what was wrong with me or if I’ve fallen down. After a while, I got frustrated and I tried to get two answering devices, one you wear and one on your wrist, and they wanna charge me $70 or $80 for each of the things. I said no. A year later, I saw an advertisement on the television. It was a local thing. I live alone and I’m approaching 80 so I should do something. I got it and I’m happy with it.

I’ve been using Medical Guardian for three months and I like that I can take one of the GPS things with me wherever I go. If I fall someplace else, I’ll have somebody there right away. I haven’t had an emergency but I activated it once by accident. There was recording going on and it was being answered. However, it took a little bit of time between the time I pushed it and the time somebody came on and responded to me. That’s common because you’re not gonna get instant access the way I see it because it’s all over the nation that they respond to. I like the service. I hope I never have to use it, but you’ll never know.

Medical Guardian response

Paul, thank you for the kind words. We also hope you never need to make use of our services. Stay safe!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

My wife died and I’m alone but I didn’t want my kids to worry about me so I decided to buy a device from Medical Guardian since they were very highly rated. I got the model with the thing around my wrist and the thing on the belt. I wear it everyday and I’m pleased with it but I’m glad I haven’t had to use it. Although, there was one time when I checked in to see if it was still working and everything seems to be fine.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I’m 82 years old and I live by myself. My daughter-in-law was concerned that I couldn’t help myself if I fell, so she insisted on getting a medical alert device. I got the Medical Guardian and I wear it around my neck. I test the machine once a month to check if it is still working, and the response time has been okay.

Medical Guardian expert review by Shelley Webb

Customer service is the priority for Medical Guardian, and to provide the personal touch, the company offers service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and a personal safety consultant for customized care solutions.

• Their operators are medically trained: All operators are medical professionals, making them uniquely suited to assist in the event of an emergency.

• They are UL-approved: This service is UL (a safety organization) approved and includes 911-trained operators to help dispatch the right emergency service for each and every call.

• Equipment: Medical Guardian offers a Classic Guardian package that includes an easy-to-install base unit that works in conjunction with a waterproof pendant and/or wristband. Both the pendant and the wristband can access immediate help from up to 400 feet away from the base unit.

• Pricing: Good service comes at a cost, and Medical Guardian offers good service. It also has some of the higher prices in the industry, with mobile monitoring starting at almost $40 per month.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons who have recently retired, persons with newly diagnosed or severe epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Guardian Company Information