Call toll free
4.27/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

Medical Guardian Video
Medical Guardian Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

505 Medical Guardian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

My father-in-law and mother in law had a medical alert device but it was screwy. My father in law had dementia and he would love to press buttons and he pressed his button a lot. The nice people would come on and ask if he needed something or if he fell. And 99% of the time, it was always a false alarm. Then when it was a real alarm, they took so long to answer the phone. I don’t know whether it was understaffed or a bad time or that the person wasn’t trained. But I ain’t paying the money that they want if they’re not gonna perform and help me feel satisfied that I wouldn’t have to be here 24/7. That's why we changed over to Medical Guardian.

My mother in law is 83 and she’s moving slower. She knew a friend who lay on the floor for four days before her son came to visit. And she cries when she tells me about it. So, I never wanted that to happen to her. She has both the necklace and the wristband from Medical Guardian because we got this deal where the young man I was talking to initially sent them both ‘cause she didn’t know what she wanted. There was a lot of problems with the pendant. When she bent over, picked something up, it tangled and it’s a choking hazard. She doesn’t like the pendant. She has the necklace hanging on her nightstand, but she wears the wristband all the time and that is the one thing she doesn’t complain about. We absolutely have peace of mind knowing that she has Medical Guardian. We’ve also tested it and whoever is on the other end of this button comes right away, whereas the other one would be like ringing eight times.

Medical Guardian response

Penny, we're happy that your in-laws are having a positive experience with Medical Guardian and that it provides you all with greater peace-of-mind as they go throughout the day. Thank you for your review!

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Here in California, we have certain days we can water, otherwise, we can’t because of the drought. I was in the backyard on a Sunday evening watering, and I put the sprinkler down. I wasn’t pleased with its placement and I reached down to adjust it. I fell, and then from that point on, I could not get up. I lost my balance. My sister-in-law in Santa Maria had Medical Guardian, and we had been talking to her about it. But for one reason or another, we had not gotten around to it. We were just putting it off because other things were happening. But my daughter, while I was in the hospital, ordered my Medical Guardian device. I went to the hospital for about a week and then I was in the care facility for about two and a half months. It was about December when I started using it which was after I got out of the care facility.

My experience has been good. I had trouble remembering not to lean against things. One day, I was in the kitchen taking laundry out of the washing machine and I leaned against the washing machine. And all of a sudden, I had a voice talking to me, so I‘ve been very careful ever since then not to lean on things. I had a hard time convincing her that I was alright. She was very concerned. And so I had to explain to her that I had leaned on the washing machine and it had gone off accidentally. But that reassured me too that it was working.

I have to take my device off occasionally to recharge it, and I sometimes have a hard time remembering to put it back on. And I’m very careful about that really because I had an elderly friend years ago who had a necklace button and she took hers off to take a bath and she fell in the bath tub. And a few days later, they found her dead in the bath tub. So I am constantly reminded that I have to be careful to put it back on when I take it off or when it's recharging. I would encourage my friends to get Medical Guardian. I‘m 83 years old and I have a number of friends who live alone like I do and who really need it.

Medical Guardian response

Barbara, thank you for the review. We're happy that you've had a positive experience with our services. Have a great weekend!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have a form of diabetes known as LADA. It's very severe and classified as 1.5. With its price, Medical Guardian seems like a very good deal. However, it doesn't offer some of the things that I personally would prefer that it did. I haven't had to actually use it because with my LADA, I also have what is called "hypoglycemia unawareness". I'm incapable of punching buttons when I'm passed out so nothing does me any good unless it calls for help when I pass out. Other than that, I've actually found that it gives a sense of comfort because I know that should I need any help, they're gonna be alerted when I hit the button. At the back of my mind, I can use the device to talk to people and ask for an officer or a fireman. Should I pass out in public, people can push the button and summon a paramedic without having to find their own cellphones. Obviously, it's not the solution to my problems, but it helps because it gives me that little extra edge of security in the long run.

What would be really good is if Medical Guardian could offer a device that will alert them if I just pass out and fall down. Also, they could have one that is a little more aesthetically pleasing. I like them, but I can see somebody saying that it doesn't match their outfit. I've often even considered the wristband, but that would be a little inconvenient. Because with the necklace, I can always slide it inside a jacket if I don't want to walk around with the thing hanging around my neck that I don't necessarily wanna explain why I have it. Otherwise, most of my friends know that I have had problems and they know to punch the button if something should ever happen. So, in that respect, it works fine for me. Moreover, the customer service has been excellent. I've accidentally set the button off a couple of times and I could talk to the people on the phone and tell them that I blew it and made a mistake. It's no big deal and they're very nice and polite people.

Medical Guardian response

Teresa, thank you for your review. We're happy that you are satisfied with your Medical Guardian device and the service you have received overall. We did want to inform you that Medical Guardian does offer devices with fall detection capabilities, which can inform emergency services of a fall if you are unable to push the button yourself. We will be in touch to discuss different device options that may better meet your needs. Have a great day Teresa!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

My husband had a very bad stroke. Though he's functioning, he's himself around the house. We got a medical alert device to be able to leave him just a little bit. Also, if he is alone and he's so scared, he can push it. Medical Guardian offered the equipment for free which was nice. The initial when they came was great. Then, they helped us through the phone to set everything up. We went with the Freedom model and it has a watch and a button. We have both but he prefers the button. The watch is kinda buzz and it irritates his skin on his wrist.

I liked the medical alert device because I can run to the store for 20 minutes and they would call me on my cell rather than calling 911. I really appreciate that because sometimes accidents happen. And I like the fact that there's a speaker and I can say everything's okay. It's a safeguard just in case somebody pushes the button accidentally or if I was in the house and he just couldn't find me and he didn't know and he pushed it. They come to the speaker and ask if everything is okay. If they don't get a response on the speaker, my son and my cell number. And if they don't get an answer there, then they call 911. I really like it. I like that they don't call 911 right away. It's also got a battery just in case the power goes out. Since I live in a wind-driven area and our power does go out sometimes.

Medical Guardian has been very good. We've tested it a couple of times. They have us test it once a month to make sure everything is on the going. And because of my husband's condition, it feels secure. It's another level of security. There have been people that have come to my house and said, "What is this machine?" I have told them that I was very impressed and that they offered this equipment for free.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I underwent 2 complex spinal fusions in May. Since I live alone, I reviewed medical alert companies. The reviews for Medical Guardian were mixed but positive overall. I originally ordered their best package with coverage for outside trips and all of their devices. It was way over my budget & probably ordered under the haze of anesthesia! When I arrived home, my caregiver/friend discovered what I had ordered. She called the company and said that she needed a refund and a different package. She spoke with KATRINA in the cancellation department. Katrina was very courteous and explained my current package and less expensive packages as well. She was very understanding as to why & how the most expensive package was ordered. At the time my friend called, she had recently signed up with Medical Guardian as well and had received a special promotional deal.

Katrina said that she would immediately cancel the expensive package and give me a full refund and give me the same price as my friend for a smaller package. No fuss. No muss. I received a base unit, wrist monitor, locket monitor, and 2 wall buttons. I made several "false" alarms by hitting a wall button with my walker or inadvertently hitting my locket. They have always responded with politeness and a sense of humor about the false alarm & immediately reset my base unit. There was a power outage one morning, and the battery immediately kicked in with the base unit advising me that the power was off. I placed the wall buttons in the bathroom and bedroom. I appreciated the time and temperature functions on the base unit as well. I could call in every month to check that the unit was working as it should. When the medical bills started coming in, I decided that I had better cancel this service and others in order to pay the bills.

I was very anxious about this as I haven't had any physical therapy yet to strengthen my back muscles, no longer used my brace, and have a knee that needs to be replaced that wasn't supporting my walking in a very reliable manner. However, I did call and spoke to JAMIL in the cancellation department. He advised me that I did have the option of receiving 2 months free until I had the opportunity to see if PT could help my back & knee muscles. I was delighted as it relieved a great deal of my anxiety but kept my budget in line. I have no problems recommending this company. They are honest, easy to work with, and made it possible for me to come home from rehab and not worry about falling if I were home alone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 14, 2019

I'm 90 years old, I live alone, and I have problems with balance. So, we ordered a Medical Guardian alert device in order to have somebody I could call. It's a little expensive but everything has been fine. I know I can call someone if I fall.

Medical Guardian response

Thelma, thank you for the feedback. We hope that we offer you greater peace of mind as you go throughout your day.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 13, 2019

I wear my Medical Guardian around my neck and I've tested the button and they responded in a timely fashion. So far, their service has been fine.

Medical Guardian response

Laura, thank you for the review. We hope you never need to make use of our services. Have a great day!

Original review: May 12, 2019

When my grandson tested my Medical Guardian device, the response was fast. Using the device was just like wearing a wristwatch. There was nothing to it.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I live alone so if anything comes up and there’s nobody here to help me, I call the medical alert. But I only have that little button. I don’t have a wrist thing. So I can’t use it unless I’m right on top of the machine. That’s the problem I have. I think that when you get this machine, Medical Guardian should give out two devices to alert them that you have a problem. You just can’t stand with this one button all the time, and it’s nice to have the wristband. When you go outside or in the shower, you can drop the button and still have one ready to wear if you go out.

Medical Guardian response

Eleanor, thank you for the review. We will be in touch about getting you a wristband to use with your device. Have a great day!

Original review: May 11, 2019

I had a period where I was falling a lot. I got a Medical Guardian device and having had the device for about a year, my sense of security has been good. I wear it around my neck and it's not bad. And I’ve been lucky. I haven't had to use it. Medical Guardian's reps are fine. I test my device periodically and I have no problems.

Medical Guardian response

Joseph, thank you for the review. We're happy to hear you haven't needed to make use of our services so far!

Resolution response: May 10, 2019

After my bad experience with Medical Guardian last night, I called again and spoke to Jack from Customer Care. He was very nice and helpful and told me that they are sending me a new complete unit to me which I was not told last night. He did not question me when I told him what was the matter. After that conversation, I called back and talked to Josh and gave him the idea of making the charger able to plug into a laptop or vehicle USB port for people who travel. They could plug the charging unit into their laptop or vehicle's USB port and keep the mobile unit charged up while traveling.

Original review: May 10, 2019

After the unit was in use for a day and placed in the charging unit the charging light did not come on. Noticed that on the mobile unit's contacts, three of the contacts on the back of the unit were turning dark when looking straight at them. Called Medical Guardian and was given a lot of crap. Being a electronic tech I know that these contact are not right. Asked for a new unit, which I was denied. I need this type of unit and if I am going to be treated this way they can have the unit back. Their response to my problem shows me that they do not care about their customer's problem or concerns or even the operation of their units.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I fell twice last year and could not get up. I was in the emergency room. I thought it might be a reasonable precaution to get a medical alert device. I hope there’s no recurrence, but I am very happy with my Medical Guardian device. I have the one with an unlimited range. I have two of the push buttons that are good between 150 feet from the homing device. Hopefully, I will never have to use it, but I have tested it several times and it has always worked fine. They are prompt to answer every time I have checked so I would regard that as satisfactory. The device gives one a sense of security. It appears to be more than useful just in case.

Medical Guardian response

Gary, thank you for your review. We're happy to hear you have not needed to make use of our services as of yet. Have a great day!

Original review: May 9, 2019

I had a heart attack before daylight. And our two kids put their heads together and decided we needed an emergency button in case something happens again. We decided to get a Medical Guardian and we've called in twice to check it and make sure everything was working. I wish they had gotten the one with the GPS though so that we could use it wherever we go. But Medical Guardian is doing well.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 8, 2019

My husband needs to be monitored. He needs to have access to 911 just in case all of a sudden, he doesn't feel well. I read online some reviews of Medical Guardian and some are good and some, not so good. But at that time, the majority of the reviews were better than the not-so-favorable reviews. The device from Medical Guardian doesn't bother my husband to wear it. But I have had a couple of rough experiences when I called, and nobody answers within this time, except that I call once a month to test it. And that majority of times when we have tested, the phone rings forever and eventually, somebody comes up and answers. We have stayed with the person on line, and we end up with this, and then, he rings, and it rings by a number of times before somebody just picks it up. So, I’m a little worried about that, and seriously a lot of times, it has been the worst. I’m seriously considering installing a plan B to verify that my husband will now get the help that needs at the timeframe that he needs it.

Medical Guardian response

Nelly, thank you for your review. Looking at your husband's account, we see that you were able to speak with a member of our Customer Care team and get this issue resolved. Please do not hesitate to reach back out if any other questions or concerns remain. Have a great day!

Original review: May 7, 2019

I'm 78 years old and I have some problem falling. And once I fall, I can't get back up. I have a hard time because I have metal in both of my knees. I fell on the floor and I needed the Medical Guardian team to come out. The response time was great. They got through the window and helped me get up. That was all I needed. But they were really nice. I have the device on my neck, and I have one for my wrist. I change it off every once in a while. The band on the wrist could have a material that I would like better. The rubber sticks on my arm and causes rash. Other than that, they're doing excellent.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I always wear my Medical Guardian around my neck in case I fall. Before last Christmas, I slipped getting out of the bed and I was glad I had it on. However, that didn't set the device off and I forgot I had it. Still, I've told friends about Medical Guardian.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I fell one night and had to stay on the floor so I got Medical Guardian. I wear it around my neck everyday.

Original review: May 6, 2019

My daughter got me set up with Medical Guardian. Thus far, I've been wearing it around my neck every day.

Original review: May 5, 2019

My husband passed away, and I felt uncomfortable being by myself. I got Medical Guardian and I tested it and the response was immediate. A real live person contacted me and I didn’t have any trouble understanding them. They asked what my issue was and I said, “I’m just testing,” and they said, “Okay, thank you." They were easy to deal with and were very nice.

I would recommend Medical Guardian. I know that if something was to happen in the middle of the night, and I did push the button, the people would be able to get in my house without breaking my door down. I love having the box on my door. That was part of what I got with them. I used to have a hidden key, but I live in a mobile home park, and people are bringing something in. They know where your key is, so they open your door and bring in a surprise and put it on your table. I don’t like that. I’m not that kind of person. So I like that I have the key in the box and nobody knows the number except my daughter, my grandchildren and one person in the park.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I got sick and I’m housebound, and my son got me a Medical Guardian device. I feel secure with it. I wear it around my neck and it’s all right. I is also very simple to use. I tested it a couple of times. I haven’t used it yet but the fact that I got it makes me feel better.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have a leg that is arthritic and I have trouble walking. I got a Medical Guardian device and I've had good luck with it. I have used it about three times in a month. I have fallen. And the police came not too long and helped me up all three times. My experience has been very good.

Medical Guardian response

Laila, thank you for your review. We're happy that we were able to offer you assistance when you needed us. We hope you are doing well after your falls. Have a great weekend.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have a Medical Guardian pendant around my neck. A couple of times, I was leaning against a counter and accidentally hit it and talked to their team.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I’m not in good health, and I live by myself. My kids recommended Medical Guardian and they have been wonderful. It has made me feel safer especially at night if anything happens when I’m alone. I tested it and the response has been immediate.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I'm off-balanced and I walk with a cane and a walker. I've fallen several times before so I decided to get a medical alert device. Thus far, I'm glad I have my Medical Guardian. I wear the device all the time. I've already hit the button by mistake when I leaned against the sink a couple of times and within seconds, their team answers. They tell me not to worry about it and that they're glad I'm okay. They're very pleasant about it. I'm satisfied with my Medical Guardian.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I live alone so my children wanted to make sure I had somebody to call. I gave them financial independence, so they wouldn't have to take care of me. They chose Medical Guardian for me and I'm glad they did. The reps have been great. I test the device once a month to make sure that it works and it has been fine. I hope I never need to press the button but if I do, I've got it there. Medical Guardian gives my children peace of mind and has more than fulfilled my expectations.

Original review: May 2, 2019

My husband had a stroke and I was worried about him falling or something when I wasn’t around. So, that made us get him a medical alert device. We got a Medical Guardian and one time, he fell down in the backyard and he buzzed that thing around his neck. When we interacted with their team, they were friendly. Medical Guardian has been doing a good job for us overall.

Original review: May 1, 2019

After I fell, I decided to get a medical alert device. And since having the Medical Guardian, I feel like if I fall, I had something I can press to get help. I feel secure with it. I wear my device on my arm and it feels okay. The team from Medical Guardian has always been very nice.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I live by myself way out in the boonies here in Arkansas and every morning, I take a handful of pills which I'm not pleased with. Although I hate to admit it, I'm getting old and can't do everything by myself. I got Medical Guardian and when I unpacked it, plugged it in, charged it up, went through the furthest part of my house and pressed the button, I had a response within five seconds. However, I get up in the morning without my hearing aids in, and the thing is charging. A light comes on at night and I can see that two of them are blinking lights, which I don't understand. I will pick the thing up out of the charger and put it back down for the red light to turn on, but the red light turns off very soon.

I have tried two units before that I had to call up on the phone, and they could hear the thing going tweet, tweet. I didn't even know that I had set the alarm off. So, their device is working as far as I can tell. I've been avalanched by other phone calls from people selling medic alert things, and I tell them I'm being serviced by Medical Guardian.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I had a stroke, I've fallen in the past, and I live alone. I have a Medical Guardian device now and I'm fine with it.

Original review: April 29, 2019

We used the information in the Consumer Affairs summary about fall alert devices to make our choice of the Medical Guardian. This has been a great choice! It was extremely easy to set up and use. It works through the phone company, so mom is not tied to a "base station" and can walk anywhere. It has an accelerometer so it will detect a fall if she cannot press the button. It has ONE nice big button (essential because she is almost blind) and a LOUD speaker on the device (she is also nearly deaf). Staff were very helpful at set-up, which itself was simple. And we've already had occasion to use the alert when mom was unwell. There were cheaper units on the market but this one does so much to assure our peace of mind and give her flexibility and independence. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Medical Guardian response

Pam, we're happy you and your mother are satisfied with our services. We also hope that she is doing well after her recent incident. Thank you for the review!

Medical Guardian expert review by Shelley Webb

Get 24/7 access to a committed, personal emergency response system to fit any lifestyle. In-home rates start at $29.95 per month; on-the-go rates start at $39.95.

• Personalized protection: Receive a custom medical alert system to fit your lifestyle, from lounging inside to exploring the outdoors.

• Account accessibility: Manage your account details, update payment methods, and access additional resources through an online portal.

• Simple setup: Setup and activation are made simple so you can install your device at home without any hassle.

• Reliable monitoring: Multiple U.S.-based monitoring centers ensure quick responses in emergency situations any time of day.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Guardian Company Information