4.18/5
  • 1 star
Based on 87 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 13, 2017

242 Medical Guardian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I ordered the Medical Guardian system and wasn't able to get it set up because of a defective part. I returned the entire package, per their request, and they sent me another complete package. I ended up sending the second package back because I couldn't get it set up and had to wait on the phone for up to 30 minutes, while they blasted horrible music in my ears. I have yet to receive my money back. I wasn't able to use the system and prepaid for 3 months. The original order date was Sept 29, 2017 and I haven't heard from them as yet. I refuse to sit on the phone for 30 minutes each time I've called.

Medical Guardian response

Peggy, thanks for reaching out. We will be in touch about your refund shortly. No need to call back in. Have a lovely day!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Continued to take money from account even after cancelling service AND returning equipment. Company denies equipment ever returned. Cancelled account in August and this company continues to remove money from checking account as of December. Company refuses to return stolen monies by denying that equipment was returned. Just plan on paying these thieves until you close your bank accounts.

Medical Guardian response

Colin, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry this situation has been so frustrating, but we wanted to assure you that we are addressing your concerns to make this situation right. One of our Customer Care Supervisors reached out today and hopes to connect with you soon .Have a great day!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I'm living alone and because of my age, I've been having medical alert devices as a preventive measure. I have Medical Guardian and it’s good anywhere. It's easy to deal with and to have but I can't put it any place else except wear the device as a necklace. It sits on the chest but it hit things and goes off when I bend over, which is the only problem I run into.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

The only occasion I have used the medical alert device from Medical Guardian was when I fell. This is my first medical alert device. They responded in a timely manner and it was a very successful experience.

Medical Guardian response

Juanita, we're happy that we were able to assist you in your time of need.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I had Medical Guardian for one year as a preventive measure. Everything was fine but I decided to cancel their service because my device from the company I have now has a little monitor that I can carry with me and speak to.

Medical Guardian response

Thanks for the kind review Edward. So you are aware, we also offer portable units with GPS functionality. Our newest model is the Active Guardian, an all in one device with a five-day battery life. Please keep us in mind in the future if things don't work out with your current provider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I’m 83 years old and I’ve had two hips replaced, so I want to make sure that I have potential protection wherever I go. If something happens, I want to be able to hit a button and get somebody here. I got the Medical Guardian and several months ago, I threw the thing on the bed, and it clicked off. It alerted the fire department and the fire department could not find where I was. I was in a motel and they had to examine the residential areas within two blocks to find out where I was. It means that they can’t tell where I am within a two block radius or even hundred yard radius. Also one time, I went out to my friend. I put the device on and they couldn’t figure out where I was. I was in Carefree, Arizona in a well-known resort. I’m too lazy to have the device sent back, but I got to find one of these things that has a GPS like my golf course watch.

On the other hand, their reps have been fine and have attempted to be helpful. I was on a golf course, taking a couple of swings and all of a sudden, there were beeping sounds which was a little annoying, but once I did what I was supposed to do, they resolved the issue. But it’s their technology that I’m objecting to. I don’t use their device much anymore because it stinks. I have my cell phone with me all the time, so if I have a problem, I hit 911. The executives at Medical Guardian got to get their act together. If not, me and a bunch of other people would be leaving them.

Medical Guardian response

Edward, thanks for the feedback. Your device, the Premium Guardian has been replaced by a new and improved unit, the Active Guardian. It has better GPS location abilities and works with area wifi location hotspots to more quickly and accurately pinpoint your location. You don't need wifi in your home to use this feature. It also has significantly improved battery life compared to your Premium Guardian. We will be reaching out to discuss this option with you. Have a lovely day.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

A friend of mine had Medical Guardian. She had a reason to use it and was very satisfied, and that made me impressed. I have done some falling so I thought about getting one for myself. I have a watch type and a necklace and I make sure that I have them at all times. I feel very confident with them. I've recommended Medical Guardian to others.

Medical Guardian response

Gwen, thank you for the review. We're happy that we were able to be of service to your friend when she needed us. We hope that we can provide both of you with peace of mind in your everyday lives.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I live alone and my family does not live near so I needed a medical alert device for preventive measure. I went online and researched all of them, and I picked Medical Guardian which I thought was the best for the money. Now, I feel more confident having it and it's a cushion in case anything does happen. So far, it has been very pleasant and everyone is responsive. It has been a good experience and I'm satisfied with their service. I’ve recommended it to three friends and they have also gotten it.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you so much for the kind review Ann. We're happy to hear the confidence that we're able to give you in your everyday life. Thank you for keeping us in mind for your family and friends as well.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

After contacting several companies about medical alert systems I chose Medical Guardian. Their people are above compare and went out of their way to explain their services. Like many of the other companies they did not try to sell me more than I needed and their overall pricing was better than the rest that I talked to. This company and their people are the best!!!

Medical Guardian response

Kent, we strive to offer world class customer service and make sure our customers get the right device for their needs, not necessarily the most expensive device. We're happy to have hit the mark with you. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I have a little bit of secondary Parkinson’s along with diabetes and I was falling quite often so I got the Medical Guardian. I have the necklace, and when I don’t have that on, I have the one hanging over my walker so I can use it quickly. Their customer service was fine and I would recommend them.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for the kind words Nancy. We're happy to offer you that additional layer of security.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

My daughter decided that I needed to wear Medical Guardian. We have peace of mind and my daughter is happy to have me wear it. We’re taking it with us to Nevada because when I’m there, I’m alone. Although I never had to use the device, at least I know it’s there.

Medical Guardian response

Viola, we're happy that Medical Guardian gives both you and your daughter peace of mind. It's great that you're using it to stay safe while you travel. Happy travels!

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2017

I am completely satisfied with the response I received from Medical Guardian. Based on their excellent resolution of all of my issues I am updating my star rating for them.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I have had Type 1 Diabetes and related complications for 53 years and live alone. About two years ago I signed up with Medical Guardian in case of a medical emergency. In that time I have had two devices malfunction due to an inability to hear the response team as the volume would continuously decrease in volume. Both returns were received and signed for by Medical Guardian. Shortly after receiving the third device, yet again the sound issue occurred. About two weeks ago, before I even had a chance to contact Medical Guardian, I experienced a life-threatening hypoglycemic emergency. I immediately pressed the call button but received no response. I tried three or four more times before realizing, despite making monthly payments, I was on my own.

Somehow, by the grace of god, I struggled to my refrigerator and gulped orange juice until I gradually started to recover. I called Medical Guardian and told them I wanted to cancel my account. They promised to mail me a postage-free return label to return the malfunctioning device (a neck pendant I wore on my chest). I received the label and shipped it back to Medical Guardian, which again was received and signed for by them. On Monday, 10/16/2017 at 11:45 am eastern time, I received a call from Medical Guardian telling me they had only received two of the three devices. After I raised holy hell, she agreed to send me an email to electronically sign and email back to officially cancel my account.

By today, Wednesday, 10/18/2017, I still had not received the promised email. So I called Medical Guardian and was forwarded to so many departments, including ones I had already spoken with, my head started to spin. I then spoke with Juan at 12:33 this afternoon. I didn't exactly tell him I loved him, and I freely expressed my displeasure with the ineptitude of the entire return process. At no time did I personally attack Juan or curse at him, but nevertheless he chose to hang up on me.

I finally received the promised cancellation request form via email, but only AFTER complaining to a supervisor, Sabriyyah, who contradicted the information I received in Monday's phone call, and told me I could NOT electronically sign and email back the form; I had to print, sign, and either fax or mail the form back to them. I was still seething with anger at this poor excuse for customer service and I called Medical Guardian back again, asking to speak with Juan and demand a personal apology from him. The rep I was speaking with informed me he was unable to reach Juan, probably because Juan was on the phone with another customer. Yep, you guessed it; Juan never did call and apologize. I close by saying that I thank god that I am now using Bay Alarm Medical, and I no longer feel my life is in jeopardy. It is my sincere belief that Medical Guardian should be ashamed of themselves.

Medical Guardian response
Lane, we are very sorry for the unfortunate experience you had with our company. It is my understanding that our CEO, Geoff Gross, spoke

to you on 3 occasions last week to address your concerns and clarify what happened on our end. Please let us know if things reside in a better state currently and if there is anything else to be addressed. Our thanks for your feedback.

Best,

Medical Guardian Team

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I’ve used Medical Guardian for two years. I called them one time and they were very slow and not effective. I fell and all I had needed was to be lifted up but by the time help from Medical Guardian got here, a friend of mine had come in the door. I can’t cancel the service for now because I paid ahead on it, which is one thing I don’t like that they make me pay a year in advance. It's more expensive than other companies and for the extra money I’m paying, the service hasn’t been worth it.

Medical Guardian response

We're sorry that your experience has not been exactly what you expected. We'll be reaching out soon to discuss your particular situation. Thanks for the feedback.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

They gave Medical Guardian to us here in Venetian Gardens and it's working well. I wear it around my neck and it’s very comfortable. I use it and I like it.

Medical Guardian response

Mary, we're happy that you use and like one of our products. We hope it gives you and the other residents of Venetian Gardens an added sense of security.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My daughter-in-law thought I should have Medical Guardian because I’m living alone and she got me one. I haven’t needed it but there was one time that a guy came on. I must have mistakenly pushed it. The team was helpful. The device is working and I appreciate having it. I’d recommend Medical Guardian to anybody.

Medical Guardian response

Eleanor, thank you for the kind words. We hope you never actually need to use our service, but know that it is there if you ever do need it.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

May and Donald went to a nursing home and no longer have the Medical Guardian. Still, we were happy with the experience having Medical Guardian's alert.

Medical Guardian response

Corrine, we're happy to have been of service for May and Donald during their time as Medical Guardian Customers.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My husband has health issues so we got Medical Guardian's alert device. He has the neck thing and the push-button that he can carry in his pocket.

Medical Guardian response

Illene, we hope that our services offer both you and your husband additional security throughout the day. Thanks for the review.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have a pulmonary hypertension and COPD. I'm in a retirement center and they offered Medical Guardian in our room. They have a mini drone that would be right there to ring it if you need it. It's nice knowing that when you're in the shower and if you were to have problems you have the device. I was pleased with the company and I would still be using Medical Guardian if it hasn't been decided that I move and it is going to be offered.

Medical Guardian response

Linda, thank you for the kind words. Your retirement center made a wise choice by offering Medical Guardian services.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My employer got Medical Guardian for insurance reasons. We are a 24/7 gym and having it has been a good thing. The chain of command is good as well. They always call my employer first then they call me. Since I don’t live that far away, I normally just run over and the cops who are on their way usually meet me at the door. We've had a good experience with Medical Guardian so far.

Medical Guardian response

Becky, it sounds like your employer made a smart move in getting Medical Guardian services for your gym. We're happy you've had a positive experience so far.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The Medical Guardian team was nice when I called them once or twice and when I tested the system, they answered right away. But the medical alert device was expensive and I don't have it anymore. I have a different service now and it's reasonable and better than the Medical Guardian.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for the review. We're sad to see you go, but hope that you'll consider us again in the future if your experience with your current company does not live up to your expectations.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I'm a 90-year-old living in a retirement community. I figured it would be a good idea to have something that would help me if I fall or have a problem that I couldn't help myself with. Since I’ve had the Medical Guardian alert system, it gave me confidence. The alert is in a pouch on my belt and I place it into a charger at night. I also have a wrist device even during sleep that would call if I needed it. I call Medical Guardian once a month just to test the alert.

Medical Guardian response

Thank you for the review. We're happy to be able to give you additional confidence and peace of mind in your everyday life.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have Erdheim–Chester, a tumor on my heart, I'm out of breath a lot and I also had a pacemaker put in. I'm living alone and my daughters panicked so they wanted me to get a medical alert device. I got the device from Medical Guardian and occasionally, I've either tested it or it wound up being tested because it was accidentally turned on. I always got a quick response and the Medical Guardian team was very nice. Since using this medical alert device, I'm comfortable to go in the car somewhere knowing that I'm covered. Overall, having the Medical Guardian makes me feel that I could function without worrying much, and not have my daughters worry either.

Medical Guardian response

Vivian, thank you for the review. We're happy to provide both you and your daughter with additional peace of mind, both in the home and while you're out and about.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My mother doesn’t have any major health issues, but because she's now 83, we decided to get a Medical Guardian for her just for peace of mind. Dealing with their team has been pleasant and easy. It’s a good experience and I would recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Maxine would sometimes fall down so we decided to get a medical alert and we got Medical Guardian. However, we never had to use it and we had to quit because we had trouble with the connection. Their team tried to help me, I did what they told me to do but I figured the problem was with the very rural area we live in. We don't have it any longer nevertheless, we had a good experience with them.

Medical Guardian response

Wanda, we're sorry that we couldn't service Maxine at her location, but are happy we were able to provide you both with a positive experience overall.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I was in the hospital. I had a blood clot in my lungs and almost died. I was away from home for three months, between the Shaire Center and the hospital, back and forth. My son was the one who found Medical Guardian and decided which to get. I sure do feel secure with it. About two weeks ago, the phone woke me up. The caller wanted to know if I was alright. I said yes and that I was asleep. Then he explained to me what had happened. He said that I must have got tangled up the medical alert device. It's around my neck. I hope that I don't do that again. I'm glad he called in, though. He was very nice.

Medical Guardian response

Barbara, thank you for the kind words. We're happy to offer you added security in your home.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

When I called the company, I was very explicit about my needs. I needed a system for my husband which is a two way system, and one which he could hear the operator from anywhere in our apartment, and one which the company's operator could hear him from anywhere in our apartment. Our apartment is approximately 50 feet by 40 feet. I had a system about ten years ago for my Mom like that, and I could talk with the operator from the basement, from the attic, and from anywhere in the house.

I also told them that I wanted both a watch and a pendant. Well, first, they took 3 months' service from my account!!! It was not clear that this would occur when I ordered the devices. Then I was quite surprised when the unit arrived with only a pendant. I was even more surprised when the operator could not hear me farther than about 30 feet from the base! Now I'm told that it may be up to 30 days before I get a refund. So I am not a happy customer.

Medical Guardian response

Pastor C.S., we thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the frustrating experience you and your husband have experienced. We wanted you to know that we are currently reviewing this situation and one of our managers will be calling you back to discuss with you shortly.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

My knees were shot and I can't walk good that I fall sometimes. My daughter takes care of all my affairs and she liked Medical Guardian. She thought it was good so we took it. The representatives were knowledgeable and friendly. I'm satisfied with it and it worked very good for me.

Medical Guardian response

Theodore, you are lucky to have a daughter who really cares about you and your well-being. We thank you for the kind review and hope that we will continue to offer you and your family peace of mind going forward.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I got Medical Guardian for home safety. My experience with their team has been perfect. They delivered exactly what I expected and have continued to do so.

Medical Guardian response

Linda, we're happy that you've had such a positive experience with Medical Guardian. We're happy to be able to offer you safety in your home.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I got my mom a medical alert device due to her age and I chose Medical Guardian because of the distance she needed for being outside. However, as soon as the purchase got processed, somebody hacked my mom’s card. It’s either somebody that worked for Medical Guardian or somebody that got into their system. The very first charge that went through was from Pennsylvania. And since her card was no longer good, Medical Guardian called to check on that. Other than that, it's worked well. They did what we needed to have done and we haven't had any problem.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

Having Medical Guardian makes me more secure and I don’t have to worry about not reaching the phone. I'm getting old and I know I’m going to fall down some time. My wife and I have two senders and one receiver. I've had no problems with it but I push the button by mistake every now and then and then they call.

Medical Guardian response

Eldon, thank you for the review. We are happy that we provide additional security to you and your wife in your home.

Medical Guardian Company Information