Call toll free
4.02/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Here at Medical Guardian, we've become an industry-leading provider of personal emergency response systems by using the most up-to-date technology for each of our products. We provide all of our customers with affordable and reliable medical alert service options to help them continue to live safe and independent lives at home. With a wide range of products and life safety consultants available to help tailor your service to your specific needs, we guarantee round-the-clock protection and help when you need it most.

Medical Guardian Video
Medical Guardian Gallery (5)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

355 Medical Guardian Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was fainting and I was bleeding, and I’m now a widow. So, my son decided that I need a medical alert device and he insisted on wanting to buy Medical Guardian. I told him to go ahead then. Since having my Medical Guardian device, I have peace of mind. I could take it anywhere I go. Whereas, the one I had at COAST was only in the house. I’m very satisfied with Medical Guardian. It’s really a good product.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I’m on a walker, and I was worried if I fall or if something happens ‘cause I have fallen before. I checked out several companies and I thought that Medical Guardian's service was the best. I had some questions one time and they were very helpful.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My son picked Medical Guardian for me. He got the reference and he like to see what the people said, so he picked it. I wear my device as a bracelet and it's comfortable. I have a hard time walking and so far, nothing have happened. But hopefully, everything is gonna turn out okay. I secure that I have something like this.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I can’t walk and I can’t stand. So, if I have to be in a different place, I fall. We’re doing great with Medical Guardian. We really like it. It’s very effective, and it helps us out a lot. I wear the one around my neck, and I don’t even know it’s there. I’ve had to use it twice because I fell and I couldn’t get up. Medical Guardian's team responded within minutes when I pressed the button. We were very pleased. I would urge my friends to get Medical Guardian.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I’ve been falling and I decided I need a medical alert device. My daughter found Medical Guardian on the internet, and she recommended it. I've had it for three months and I feel more secure now. If I’m out somewhere and I fall, I feel secure. I checked it one time but I wasn’t too sure about what was going on. I had to press it several times and it squealed really loud, and it didn’t seem like it was working. Other than that, the representatives from Medical Guardian have been fine. One time, I got my device on my belt and I dropped my pants too fast that it sounded like there was a fall. They reached out and I told them, “No, it wasn’t that. I had dropped my pants too quick.” The rep said okay and asked if everything was okay. That was a good response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My husband looked up several medical alert devices for me since I've been falling. He picked out Medical Guardian and I've had it for about 3 months now. I've been using the one on the wrist, but I think I'm going to use the one around my neck. My husband is home with me all the time so I only really need to use the device when he's going out, which is rare. When he goes out, I sit on the couch with the watch on and my computer and I don't move. I don't take any chances.

When I fall and we push the button, we get service quickly. The representatives have been very nice and the response time is within 10 minutes which is good. Usually, the police come first, and then they ask me if I'm hurt. Most of the times, I said I wasn't because I knew I fell on a carpet and I knew I was not hurt, but there's no way I can get up. Also, my husband isn't the healthiest person either and so he can't get me up. There were times when my husband and I tried to get me up, where it would take us about a half hour, and then we would give up 'cause my legs don't work at all. I definitely feel more secure now 'cause I know if I go down, there will be a way to get up. I would highly recommend Medical Guardian.

Medical Guardian response

Ellen, thank you for the review. We're happy to have been able to help when you've had falls. Stay safe!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Here in California, we have certain days we can water, otherwise, we can’t because of the drought. I was in the backyard on a Sunday evening watering, and I put the sprinkler down. I wasn’t pleased with its placement and I reached down to adjust it. I fell, and then from that point on, I could not get up. I lost my balance. My sister-in-law in Santa Maria had Medical Guardian, and we had been talking to her about it. But for one reason or another, we had not gotten around to it. We were just putting it off because other things were happening. But my daughter, while I was in the hospital, ordered my Medical Guardian device. I went to the hospital for about a week and then I was in the care facility for about two and a half months. It was about December when I started using it which was after I got out of the care facility.

My experience has been good. I had trouble remembering not to lean against things. One day, I was in the kitchen taking laundry out of the washing machine and I leaned against the washing machine. And all of a sudden, I had a voice talking to me, so I‘ve been very careful ever since then not to lean on things. I had a hard time convincing her that I was alright. She was very concerned. And so I had to explain to her that I had leaned on the washing machine and it had gone off accidentally. But that reassured me too that it was working.

I have to take my device off occasionally to recharge it, and I sometimes have a hard time remembering to put it back on. And I’m very careful about that really because I had an elderly friend years ago who had a necklace button and she took hers off to take a bath and she fell in the bath tub. And a few days later, they found her dead in the bath tub. So I am constantly reminded that I have to be careful to put it back on when I take it off or when it's recharging. I would encourage my friends to get Medical Guardian. I‘m 83 years old and I have a number of friends who live alone like I do and who really need it.

Medical Guardian response

Barbara, thank you for the review. We're happy that you've had a positive experience with our services. Have a great weekend!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My kids and I wanted me to get a medical alert device and so now I wear the Medical Guardian bracelet. I didn’t think I’d like the one that goes around my neck as that gets in my way. I did set it off once but it was okay. It’s the plugin in my kitchen. Now, I really feel safer having it.

Medical Guardian response

Anna we're happy to offer you a greater sense of security as you go throughout your day. Thanks for the review!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I would definitely recommend Medical Guardian. I live alone. I'm in a new state and I didn't know anyone here. I do now but I thought getting a medical alert device was the smartest thing to do. At the time, I happened to see that Medical Guardian was running a special, and I got it. Since then, I absolutely feel like there's somebody there if I need them. I accidentally set off the device several times, and the response I got was good. It was disconnected yesterday and I didn't notice it. When I finally got back online, they called right away to make sure I was okay.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have a form of diabetes known as LADA. It's very severe and classified as 1.5. With its price, Medical Guardian seems like a very good deal. However, it doesn't offer some of the things that I personally would prefer that it did. I haven't had to actually use it because with my LADA, I also have what is called "hypoglycemia unawareness". I'm incapable of punching buttons when I'm passed out so nothing does me any good unless it calls for help when I pass out. Other than that, I've actually found that it gives a sense of comfort because I know that should I need any help, they're gonna be alerted when I hit the button. At the back of my mind, I can use the device to talk to people and ask for an officer or a fireman. Should I pass out in public, people can push the button and summon a paramedic without having to find their own cellphones. Obviously, it's not the solution to my problems, but it helps because it gives me that little extra edge of security in the long run.

What would be really good is if Medical Guardian could offer a device that will alert them if I just pass out and fall down. Also, they could have one that is a little more aesthetically pleasing. I like them, but I can see somebody saying that it doesn't match their outfit. I've often even considered the wristband, but that would be a little inconvenient. Because with the necklace, I can always slide it inside a jacket if I don't want to walk around with the thing hanging around my neck that I don't necessarily wanna explain why I have it. Otherwise, most of my friends know that I have had problems and they know to punch the button if something should ever happen. So, in that respect, it works fine for me. Moreover, the customer service has been excellent. I've accidentally set the button off a couple of times and I could talk to the people on the phone and tell them that I blew it and made a mistake. It's no big deal and they're very nice and polite people.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My daughter got Medical Guardian mostly for my wife. She had fallen about 10 times in the last two years. Then I also had a subdural hematoma and I was gonna be going through rehab. My daughter wanted to make sure I was okay. The one time that my wife did fall, we saved her laying there for a couple of hours. About a year ago, she fell and laid there for a couple of hours until somebody came home. We were very happy to have Medical Guardian at that time. I was about 10 minutes away from my apartment when the phone rang. It was some guy telling me that I better get home. My wife had fallen down in the bathroom. I was there within nine minutes and we got her up and about. That worked out fine. You just have to fall once and lay there for three hours then you would wish you had Medical Guardian. It's working for us and I'm very happy with it. It's a good deal.

Medical Guardian response

Irvin, thank you for the review. We're happy to have been there for your wife when she needed us!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I had developed some heart conditions and I live alone. My children prevailed on me and convinced me that getting Medical Guardian was a thing to do. It's one source that would serve people's needs in similar situations. It's strictly there to alert someone should I be alone and find myself in desperate straits. Someone answers right away and that's all I can ask. I pressed it about two months after I had it and then again a month or so ago. When I got a response, I told them it was no emergency and that I was checking the system. They were fine with that so everything was good.

Medical Guardian response

Robert, thank you for the review. We're happy to have you as a customer and hope that we provide both you and your children with additional peace of mind. Have a great day!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I've had this for two months. In trying to test it, I get nothing. I got a call from customer service after I finally got through and explained the problems. She gave me a number to call with three choices of numbers - customer service, etc. I called e times and all they said was "Can't hear you" before anything else. I tried the button 3 times again. Ten minutes later I get an answer telling me to call a different number. She put me through to customer service. Music played for about 10 minutes. I had told her, "Cancel my service. I'm paying for nothing." No response yet.

Medical Guardian response

Janet, thank you for reaching out. We are happy that we were able to resolve these issues for you. We appreciate the updated score as well. Have a great day and a lovely new year!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I got a Medical Guardian device after I had a stroke in May. I test the device regularly to make sure it's working. In fact, I just tested it a couple of days ago. Medical Guardian said they were gonna connect me with an operator, but it took seven times before I got an operator. I'm not really happy with it right now.

Medical Guardian response

Vicki, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry that you've had some difficulties with your device. Our Customer Care team will be in touch shortly to look into your concerns. Have a great day!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I order Medical Guardian for my mom last year after speaking with a representative explaining my mom's need. They told me there was no obligation to renew since I purchased and paid for a year of service. My mom decided she doesn't need the device anymore and asked me to cancel which I did. I called and requested for the service to be terminated. A few months later I received an invoice for $356 telling me the account was overdue.

Long story short, after being ridiculed, accusing me of lying and telling me there are no records of my call by a representative and after requesting to talk to a manager, I was asked to return the device which no one asked me to do the first time. So I returned the device last month and followed up with USPS to make sure it was received and today I received another invoice from them thanking me for renewing the service. The customer service was super nice and accommodating when I purchased but hostile and rude when I requested cancellation. I do not recommend this company to anyone.

Medical Guardian response

Fariba, thank you for reaching out. We are currently looking into your concerns regarding closing out your mother's account and will be in touch shortly to discuss further.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My client ordered a Medical Guardian device. It never arrived. Eventually, she forgot about it. Today, in the mail, she received a FINAL ATTEMPT letter demanding $1,078.65 for the device and an additional $350.00 for the missing device that she never received. What a scam. They will not be receiving a penny. But, as their attorney, I shall be contacting the proper agencies to further investigate Medical Guardian.

Medical Guardian response

Walter, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry that your client has had such a frustrating experience with regards to their purchase of service. We would like to take a closer look at your concerns. Would you be willing to help us locate your client's account? Any information you share in your response won't be posted to Consumer Affairs. It will only be shared directly with Medical Guardian. If you could provide the full name, phone number and address of the subscriber, as well as any additional information you feel would be relevant, we can look into your case more thoroughly. Thanks again for reaching out.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My fall detector goes off if I'm sitting in the recliner. It goes off when I move around in my wheelchair. You have my daughter my main contact, yet you call my dad when something ALLEGEDLY happens. I have fallen multiple times and the fall detector does not go off. We need to make some adjustments expeditiously or I'll go to another vendor!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Purchased MG device w/ free trial and fall detection & seemed to work great for 2 days. Hired in-home care so returned within 5 days & never signed up for service. Hounded ever since despite written replies and multiple calls to stop. #**.

Medical Guardian response

Elizabeth, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry that you've had difficulty in canceling out your account. We are currently looking into your concerns and will be in touch shortly. Have a great day!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Sunday a week ago I researched and asked Medical Guardian for information concerning their product for my 93 year old mother who is still living at home even though she is hearing and visually impaired. She also has difficulty walking. I paid extra for speedy delivery, insurance, and ordered/paid for the product for one year. I found out five days later they delivered it to the wrong address and had written down an incorrect telephone number! The product may be great but customer service is a negative 1.

Medical Guardian response

Paulette, thank you for reaching out. We apologize for the confusion surrounding your mother's address information. We are currently reviewing what occurred here and will be in touch shortly to help get this situation resolved for you both.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My mother had signed up for the service for peace of mind. After she unexpectedly passed away, four days later I notified Medical Guardian. They said fine and return the equipment. I sent four emails complaining that I never received the shipping info. and let it go as I closed her estate. Now I received a letter saying they need a death certificate and they would charge me another year of service and $350 dollars if the equipment is not returned. Of course I called and noted my emails, calls, etc. They truly don't care and just want to charge for more service and cheap equipment. I cannot recommend this company. One would think in their business that people die and they should streamline the process to stop the service. Not all families know every detail of every bill and service a loved one has.

Medical Guardian response

Charles, thank you for reaching out. We apologize for the frustrating experience you had in attempting to cancel out your mother's account upon her passing. We're happy that we were able to resolve this issue for you and wish you the best going forward.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

We purchased the service for my 81 y/o mother. She had the alarm service with the GPS tracker. We were told to call the company to test each month to make sure everything was working properly, which we did. The pendant was hit or miss to start. The volume on the device was so low with no adjustments you couldn’t hear anyone talk. We had to call several months about the problem and it was never fixed. We tested several months where they did not answer the call and we had to call back several times before we could get an operator. (Thank God it wasn’t an actual emergency).

On the occasion they did answer it still took 20 + rings before being connected. After calling several times about the pendant problem and us getting angry, they came to the conclusion that the battery was dead and they had to send another pendant. When it was time to renew for the next year, they raised the price $100.00 + dollars. Needless to say we canceled and went with a different company. We mailed back the equipment per their instructions and they still too the $500.00 + out of my account for the next year. I called to get a refund and they told me it would be 30 days! Do not use this company!!!

Medical Guardian response

Donna, thank you for the review. We're sorry that you and your mother had such a difficult experience with our service and in cancelling out her account. We are looking into your concerns and will be in touch.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

First off this review is based off my experience with their reps not the device itself. I received my unit 10/10/18 - 1 base unit, a watch, and lancet. I had several conversations with my sales rep, I will leave his name out, about what I was looking for and what I needed prior to purchasing. I told him I would need about 4 extra lancets and a couple extra watches. At the end of our conversation prior to me making the purchase. He told me, he would have the extra lancets and watches shipped with initial unit, at no extra cost.

After getting my unit, I waited an extra week or so for my additional devices, in case they were being shipped separate, so I could activate and test everything at once. Nothing ever came. I called him back, he stated it was his error, he would get them right out. Waited another week or so - nothing. Called back again - he states that he's not sure why they weren't sent and would transfer me.

After being transferred, the rep proceeds to tell me that they can't ship out extra devices without charging additional charges - which would have been significant per month charge than what I budgeted based off all of our previous conversations. At this point I'm frustrated with the whole process and upset about being mislead. If the extra lancets and watches cost extra - why not just say that upfront!! Additionally, their return policy states that you will be refunded a pro-rated amount depending on when they 'get your order back.' Well, I held on to my order for several weeks waiting on items - that my sales rep knew he never sent! So now, I'm out over $50.00 + return shipping fees to this company, because they were misleading from the beginning!

Medical Guardian response

Brandon, thank you for reaching out. We apologize that your experience with our both Sales and Customer Care team did not meet your expectations. We are currently investigating your concerns and will be in touch shortly to help resolve these issues for you. Have a lovely day!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I'm 95 years old and I live alone with all of my problems with me. At this age, I hate not having something around that makes me feel safer so I got a medical alert device. Having my Medical Guardian around my neck has made me feel a little safer. However, the cable that I put around my neck to which the alarm is fastened to pulls apart. It has a snap on it which keeps coming apart and popping out all the time. So, when I wear it around my neck, lots of time if I don’t have my shirttail in and it comes awry, it falls onto the floor. Also, there was a time I set the alarm off by mistake. I was sitting down with a tray on my lap and I pressed the tray against my chest. It caught right on the button and off went the alarm. I got a call right away. I'm satisfied with my Medical Guardian and I would recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I love Medical Guardian. They rock. When I googled, Medical Guardian was the first one that came up. They've been so nice and the response time has been great. When I have fallen, they were right there. They were spot on. My sense of security now is 100%. I would not go without them. I tell my friends to buy this device as a Christmas gift for their mom or grandma.

Medical Guardian response

Julie, thanks for the review! We're happy to offer you that greater sense of security and appreciate the referrals!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I got the Medical Guardian Home device and I wear it as a necklace everyday. It doesn't bother me and I feel better with it. I feel safer. I got lymphedema in my legs and I fall. I fell twice this year and twice last year. I was afraid I’d fall because I live by myself. Medical Guardian gave us all peace of mind to know that if somebody tries to break in on me or if I fall and can’t get up, I’ll have that in the middle of the night because I don’t sleep good and I’m up all hours of the night. I have also tested it and I liked the response time.

Rated with 1 starResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I was told the watch/bracelet had GPS tracking and that it would be able to locate my wife who had Alzheimer's if she were to wander. Turns out the rep was wrong. The wearer would have to depress the red button on the side of the watch in order to transmit their location. An Alzheimer's victim wouldn't be able to do this. So I called for a refund and was told it would be done within days and to just keep the watch. I told them I did not want the $99. watch. The rep said, "Keep it anyway, we'll still refund your money." Weeks later when checking on the refund I was told I had to return the watch first. I did and still do not have the refund. Ridiculous for them to advertise that the watch will track people with dementia. And, their ad should disclose how it works so people less proactive don't get stuck with this article.

Medical Guardian response

Edwin, thank you for reaching out. We're sorry for any confusion surrounding functionality of your wife's watch. We are looking into your concerns and will be in touch shortly.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Nancy was falling. Once, she fell out in the garage and laid out there about five hours before anybody could find her. Now that she has Medical Guardian, she feels better and so do I. She has the watch, a pendant and a lockbox. And we hope it’s gonna work out well. So far, we’re pleased with Medical Guardian. We know there are other services out there but we think we’ve got the best. We made the purchase after seeing their consumer rating. Also, it did not require a long-term contract. Dealing with their team has been a good experience as well. I’m located here in Philadelphia and they’re headquartered here. So we’ve had no problems with them. Their response was also very good and professional.

Medical Guardian response

Keith, thanks for the review. We are happy that both you and Nancy feel that additional peace of mind with our equipment in place. Have a great weekend!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I had some serious falls and couldn’t get up. I had to call the 911 and they came and broke my door down and took me to a hospital. So my son ordered the Medical Guardian and I feel a little safer with it. I'm very satisfied so far.

Rated with 2 starsResolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I received an unsolicited call from one of your representatives. They were wanting me to upgrade my service using a pager type instrument that could monitor me anywhere I went. This would only be an additional $10.00 a month. I agreed to TRY it. Within a week $90.00 had been charged to my account. I have not tried it and feel robbed of my right to decide whether to keep it or not. Right now I will be returning it and demanding a refund based on the way this was handled.

Medical Guardian response

Phyllis, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you felt like you were not provided appropriate information about the upgrade that was added to your account. We will look into your concerns and be reaching out shortly to discuss this situation further with you. Have a great day!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

When my father-in-law was in the hospital and had congested heart failure, we wanted to make sure that if he walked, he could hit a button in case he would fall. So, we got him the medical alert system with the GPS from Medical Guardian. When I was doing the research at that time, they had the best ratings. We also liked the distance covered by the device. We wanted to make sure that if my father-in-law would be walking, it would work. And we got him the Mobile so that he can wear it on his belt or put it on his purse. Our experience with Medical Guardian was very good and very easy. Everything got sent out to us very nicely, too. I would recommend them.

Medical Guardian response

Karen, thanks for the review! We're happy that your experience with our company has been a good one. Wishing you and your father-in-law the best.

Medical Guardian expert review by Shelley Webb

Get 24/7 access to a committed, personal emergency response system to fit any lifestyle. In-home rates start at $29.95 per month; on-the-go rates start at $39.95.

• Personalized protection: Receive a custom medical alert system to fit your lifestyle, from lounging inside to exploring the outdoors.

• Account accessibility: Manage your account details, update payment methods, and access additional resources through an online portal.

• Simple setup: Setup and activation are made simple so you can install your device at home without any hassle.

• Reliable monitoring: Multiple U.S.-based monitoring centers ensure quick responses in emergency situations any time of day.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Medical Guardian Company Information