Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Medical Guardian

J, we're happy you took the good advice that your loved ones gave you and got yourself protected. We're happy to be able to offer you peace of mind both at home and when you're out on the road. Thank you for the review!

Original review: March 31, 2017

I live by myself now and a lot of people recommended that I get the Medical Guardian. It's my first alert device and I have the mobile. I drive and when I'm on the road, I have to have the mobile device with me. So far, it's been a good experience and I've had no problems.

I live in Gonzales and my son lives in Salinas. The previous device that I had from Medical Guardian will only go 600 feet away from the house, so I switched to the one I have now. But I liked the previous device because it was smaller. The current device on my neck is bigger but it will help me when I’m away from home. I haven’t had to use it and I hope I never have to, but it’s nice to have around. It’s handy and I’m comfortable because I have it. As far as service, I’m having a problem with the green light that keeps going on and off. On Saturday, it woke me up at two o’clock in the morning. I charged it, so it was okay. Then last night before I went to bed, it told me again to charge it. I just put it on right now after charging it for eight hours and it’s still blinking. It’s annoying. I'm supposed to charge it every four days. It's not working right.

I was living alone and I had to have a stent put into the widowmaker, then four months later I had to have a pacemaker. I went online and looked at all of the medical alert devices. The price was better with Medical Guardian, plus I have the necklace and the bracelet and one of them was free. I paid cash for 12 months and that brought the price down as well. Once I got the medical alert device, that gave my daughters some peace of mind. However, I've got clearance from the doctors and everything is well, so I packaged the device up about a month ago and sent it back. It's been three months already and nobody's contacted me since. It was strange that nobody called to say they received it.

Medical Guardian

Buzz, we're so happy that we were able to offer you assistance when you needed help after a fall. Thanks for the review!

Original review: May 13, 2017

My wife's doctor had Medical Guardian and offered the best deal. I purchased the one that I hang around the neck. When I fell, I called them and the person I talked to was very professional and responded immediately. They sent someone out to help me up. I would recommend Medical Guardian.

My mom was having trouble with her foot and she kept tripping over it and falling. She finally agreed that she should have a medical alert device and I got her one from Medical Guardian. The problem with using it is that it causes a scene and embarrasses her. But one time she pressed the button. My sister was there and she told our mom to go to the hospital and find out what's going on. My mom agreed and my sister was about ready to call 911, but she told mom to push the button as it'll get them to the hospital faster, and they did. However, my mom doesn't wear the device anymore. She went in a nursing home that has their own system. I called Medical Guardian, they sent me the return slip, I put the device in UPS and away it went. Everything went well and I'd recommend them.

My mom lived with me, but sometimes she is alone by herself and she's unsteady on her feet. I worked at a doctor’s office and one of the patients there sells Medical Guardian and he was talking about it so I got it. She has the wristwatch but sometimes she forgets that she has it on. One time, she was sitting there for an hour waiting for somebody to come help her. I told her she could hit the device and the reps will call me. Overall, the device is easy to use and it’s a comfort knowing that we have it and we can buzz Medical Guardian.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

My daughter lives with me and my son is half an hour away and they were both gonna be out of town. I was gonna be alone so I wanted to have some kind of security. I checked many medical alert companies and Medical Guardian seemed what I needed. They were very helpful and they explained everything to me. I test my medical device and I don't do it as often as they'd like me to, but I'm very satisfied with it. It's convenient and Medical Guardian answers promptly.

I had a stroke in 2012, so I was partially weak on the left side. And then last year, I had bacterial pneumonia. I was in intensive care for 12 days on a ventilator. The doctor thought I was not going to make it, but I did. I took a lot of therapy and I’ve gotten back most of my strength, but pneumonia took all my strength and balance. Because my wife was working part-time and didn’t want me walking around the house or going around falling down, I got a Medical Guardian device. She checked out some medical devices and she picked out what she thought would be the best. I’ve been lucky that I haven’t fallen, but having Medical Guardian gives me peace of mind.

My husband Sam is 85 and he has arthritis and back problems. He isn’t able to work or do anything. We live in our home and when I have to go to the grocery store, I like for him to have some way to call when something happens because in the past, he has gotten down and not been able to get up. Both my son and daughter chose Medical Guardian and paid for it for the first year. My husband has never used it for an emergency but I punch the button to check if the device is working, and we would always get a prompt return.

Medical Guardian

Patricia, we're happy that we were able to be there for you out when you did have a fall. We hope to continue to offer you peace of mind going forward. Thanks for recommending us to your neighbor and for taking advantage of our Refer-A-Friend program as well!

Original review: May 5, 2017

I used my Medical Guardian device once because I fell and their team was very pleasant and helpful. They were very prompt in getting here and getting me to the hospital. I was pleased with how fast it went. It's always peace of mind to know that I have it. If I go out or be inside alone, it's nice to have the device. I would wear the necklace but I put it on my own chain because I don't like their little black chain. I also have a bracelet that I wore a couple of times but it doesn’t stay hooked and it's getting in my way catching all my clothes. Other than that, I suggested to my neighbor that she get one because her husband falls a lot. She was pleased with how they came and helped her get her husband off the floor and back in bed. In general, Medical Guardian was great.

Our mom is 90 years old and my sister ordered the Medical Guardian for her. They had the service that we needed so we availed of their services. Our mom has both devices for the neck and for the wrist. It's been over a year now and Medical Guardian said that after a year, they were going to upgrade this particular device but that hasn’t happened yet. Other than that, our mom used it a couple of times when she fell and they were here right on time. It makes all of us feel comfortable and we’re very happy and satisfied.

Medical Guardian

Miriam, we're happy to be able to allow you to remain independent in your home. We hope that we can continue to offer you that added layer of security going forward.

Original review: April 26, 2017

My daughter got Medical Guardian for me and I’m very satisfied with it. They sent me the one I wear on my neck so I bought a gold chain for it and I use it all the time. I just had my 90th birthday and I have arthritis. I also have the shingles and it had paralyzed my eyes and left me with a double vision, so sometimes I can’t find footing when I walk and I could stray. Sometimes in the house, I’m fine but when I go outside I’m not. My kids wanted me to move with them but I don’t want to live with anyone. I’m alone and they’re concerned so Mobile Guardian is a security blanket for me.

Everyone who lives alone should have Mobile Guardian and I recommend it because I feel safe with it. I told my neighbor across the street who was 83 that she should get it even if it’s just for when she's outside and she’s thinking about it. I said that it's like a companion and I also told her that it is a very good thing to have. I told her that she can even take a shower with it.

Medical Guardian

Nancy, thank you so much for reaching out. We're sorry about that time zone mix-up but are happy we were able to resolve that issue. We agree with what you stated in your review and absolutely hope you never need to use our services in an actual emergency situation. At the same time, we are happy to offer peace of mind for you and your family going forward.

Original review: April 25, 2017

My son wanted a medical alert device for me because I live alone in my own home with my dog. He preferred Medical Guardian to the others that he looked at. He still thinks it's very good because he keeps asking me how everything's going with that. I said, "I don't have to use it and I hope I won't have to use it." But it's comforting to know that it's there. I do try to use it everyday and it works very well. I had to call them because they were calling me in the middle of the night or early. With the time difference, they had it wrong and they were waking me up with calls just to check to see how things were going.

But when we called them, they apologized and I haven't had anymore problems that way. But that's very common living here in Hawaii. People get the time situations all mixed up. I recommend Medical Guardian. They've been very kind and very interested to see that everything's going on well and when I've talked to them or when they've called just to see if I'm okay with it, they're very, very nice.

Medical Guardian

Shari, thanks for the review. We're happy to be able to give you and your family that added peace of mind when you're alone at home and when you're on the road as well.

Original review: April 23, 2017

My son and I live alone in a big house. And my son-in-law and daughter thought the Medical Guardian alert device would be the perfect thing for me. My son-in-law brought it in and hooked it up. He told me that I have to do is wear it and if I fall or do anything like that, call. And they’ll come and get me and I’ll be taken care of. I don’t have to get on the phone and call the ambulance or them in Reno. I said, “Oh, that’s great. I’ll take it over once you get through paying it”. I wear it all the time on my wrist and the one that I put around my neck. I love it.

The Medical Guardian team are very nice. I could call them any time and I never had to call upon them to come to my house. But I could tell them how I’m feeling and if it’s something to worry about. I would recommend it to anybody who has a problem and is worried because I can just throw my walker in the car and I can drive, and if I feel bad then I can pull over and get somebody out there to help me.

Medical Guardian

Allen, thank you for reaching out. Your Home Guardian wristband actually does have a low battery indicator built in that will start flashing when the battery on your device is low. When that happens (the battery usually lasts about 18 months), you can call our customer service hotline at 1-800-313-1191 for a free replacement. Also feel free to reach out with any other questions you may have.

Original review: April 22, 2017

I live alone and my kids were afraid that if I fell, there’s nobody here to help me. My kids investigated Medical Guardian and decided for me. But I’m dissatisfied with the device because you have no way of knowing whether it’s working or when it goes out unless you test it. So, you have a false sense of security. They just say to change it every year. They should build in a low battery thing to tell you to put batteries in.

We wore Medical Guardian but we never had to call them. We returned it because we have an iPhone and an Apple Watch, which covers us anywhere and anytime. We have that in our pockets and we don't pay about $50 a month. I'm 84 and my wife's 80. Since we only participate in different meetings in clubs this summer we needed protection in case we fall at home alone. We've gone through a couple of these things. The one that I had was a cellphone that hangs around my neck and that was a total mobile device. My wife didn't like that heavy pendant around her neck. So it was a small pendant she wore with any home device and it had to be tethered to the mobile unit she carried in her purse with her. It just never worked out.

She had an accident. We tripped it during the night and I had this call communicating with the device in the same room. I had tested it in the garage and it was a relatively small home. It alluded and called their service and a member of their team said he was on the way. When I tried to stop it by talking into the device around my neck, it said that I was out of cell phone range, which is stupid. So with those two incidents with the device, they thought they're protecting us but it wasn't working at least the way we thought it should. Then my phone came and there's a button on my watch which is an emergency button which directly calls 911.

I had called the team that activated it and complained that I didn't get the cell phone. Then I got a message that said it was out of cell phone range. They said to call the technical number and the same thing occurred when my wife have the problem. When we activated, the normal response team always refer us to call his other service number which is a technical one. At least twice I spent half an hour on the phone on hold and finally gave up. It was an unfortunate situation because we do other things than sit around worth half an hour waiting for a service.

I would highly recommend that they not go with Medical Guardian. If they have any smartphone capability I would recommend that pass. You get the advantage of a smartphone and essentially full coverage. You must be within range of the smartphone so when you're outside the house or whatever case it would be that you have the smartphone in the pocket. But that normally happens anywhere. Unfortunately, what happened was I came up almost accidentally with a better solution for both of us. So I'd rate the whole self-protection, the whole issue of a mature person as of this falling or injuring themselves, that principle of being able to call for help 911 is solid and I believe in that. But solving the problem has to be considered. For us, that solution was the Apple Watch and an iPhone and we're paying for that. So the rating is very low.

Medical Guardian

Terryanne, thank you for reaching out. We're happy to be able to offer you assistance in your home without a landline. Regarding reaching out to your son-in-law when there is an emergency situation, there may be some flexibility we can offer around that for your particular situation. One of our client service representatives will be reaching out to discuss our protocols during a button press to see if we can better meet your needs.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I am a post stroke survivor so I have weakness on my left side. I fall frequently and need assistance to get up. I used Medical Alert when I was in Oregon but it needs to have a landline. The one thing that was very attractive in Medical Guardian's service is not needing a landline. When I've had to utilize Medical Guardian, the responder comes on. Typically, my son-in-law is the most able to quickly get me up, he's the strongest in my responder list and when he's going to be at work or on his way to work, I try to get them to call him quickly. I understand Medical Guardian probably has a protocol or checklist of things to ask me but I just want to get them to call him so there have been times where I wanted to cut through all that and to just call my son-in-law. They just kept asking and stuck to the protocol list.

After that experience, I called into the main number and reported my concerns about that, or why I was sounding “too pissy” about the whole thing. The second time that I needed to utilize the service, the operator more quickly called my son-in-law right away. My daughter is also on the responder list and my caregiver is number three on the list. My daughter and son-in-law are out of the area a lot, and adding her to my responder list is comforting for me. There isn’t anybody else that's close to me that can get me up off the ground.

Medical Guardian

W, thank you for reaching out. We want to offer our condolences for your loss and apologize for the call you got from Curtis. We know that only added frustration to an already difficult time. We take your feedback seriously and have informed the managers of both of the sales representatives in question. Curtis' manager will personally be reaching out to you shortly to discuss this incident with you.

Original review: March 21, 2017

I had the unfortunate task of canceling my mom's account with Medical Guardian after she passed away. After 20 minutes of explaining to the service rep about my mom's passing they said they would close the account and expressed their condolences about her passing numerous times. 1 hour and 30 minutes after that call, my deceased mom's home phone gets a live voicemail message from Curtis at Medical Guardian trying to sell her a new policy at a lower monthly rate and they wished to continue her alert service at a reduced amount!!

Needless to say, that sales error can never happen in that line of work. These parasites only care about the bottom line and using the vulnerable and elderly. I recorded and kept a digital copy of Curtis's ignorant message. I called and expressed my anger and all they said was the sales person didn't know. Curtis should have known. They would not even entertain taking responsibility for their error. I would choose any other company for alert monitoring. NOT these people. They only care about $$$. Poor service.

Medical Guardian

Dorothy, your niece certainly has your best interests at heart. We hope to give you peace of mind and keep you in your home.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Medical Guardian is security. My niece called them for me and I've been threatened since then. I better mash on that button if I don't want to go to an assisted living.

Medical Guardian

Carlene, thanks for the review. We're happy we were able to resolve your payment issues and that you're satisfied with our service. We hope we provide you and your loved ones with added security.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I'll be 83 in June. I have a hip that was dislocating and I would fall. I fell and my daughter thought I should have Medical Guardian. This is my first one and we chose it because of the cost and what they would do. I have talked to them last fall. They were not able to charge my credit card but I have not changed credit cards. I called them and they were very nice. We got it taken care of so there was no problem. I'm very satisfied and I would recommend them to a friend.

My daughter got Medical Guardian for me. It goes off every once in a while when I’m working on a puzzle - I’m bent over and happen to touch the table with it. By the time I could get to it, they’re getting the guy on the phone for me. The rep gave me seven seconds to hold it down and sometimes I don’t get it down quite long enough and they transfer it over to Help. It gives me and my daughter freedom. I live alone and it gives her the confidence that I got help in case I need it and she doesn’t have to be right around me.

Medical Guardian

Marjorie, thank you for your note. We are absolutely committed to your safety, though we hope you never need to use our services again!

Original review: March 3, 2017

I had a stroke and got Medical Guardian. Since having it, there's less worries -- If I fall, somebody would help me. The team at Medical Guardian were helpful and responded quickly.

I'm old and I've taken a fall. Medical Guardian is less expensive than other brands. I purchased it and got mine hanging around my neck. Overall, I'm satisfied with it.

My wife had passed away, so I live alone. I had another medical alert device, but it had a lot of equipment with it and was hooked to my land phone. With Medical Guardian, I lost the little telephone and they told me it was going to cost me $300 cause I didn't have the insurance. Then I took out the insurance so it was all right. I had it in my jacket's pocket and I thought maybe I lost it in the cemetery. But I looked all around and didn't find it. So I sent the rest of the equipment back without that part. But apart from that, when I tested the device, it seemed to test out all right.

Medical Guardian

Kathleen, thank you for the review. We want to make sure your comfortable the features of your Premium Guardian, so one of our client service representatives will be reaching out to discuss your device features and answer any questions you may have.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2017

Because my age my daughter looked Medical Guardian up. We got the one that I can hang around my neck. I've hit it by accident and they've always responded. They told us that we could take this anywhere. I've always had to shut it off and turn it on when I travel and I never knew for sure if anybody was there to still listen or not as I don't know how it works.

Medical Guardian

Edna, while we can't do anything about the wristband itself, know clients sometimes change out the band for something more comfortable at a watch repair shop. More importantly, we're happy to have been able to be there for you in an emergency situation early on. While we hope you never need it again, we're happy to have been there for you that time.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

My daughter was afraid I'd fall so she got me Medical Guardian. I have the home-based device, then I have the wrist and the one that goes around my neck. They're all right. However, I'm allergic to plastic and adhesive, so when I wear the one on my wrist, I have to take it off every once in a while because it itches. I used the button one time right after I got it and their team responded quickly to me when I needed them. I'm very well pleased.

Medical Guardian

Ruthie, thank you for the review. We certainly hope your husband doesn't ever need to use our services, but are happy to offer you and him that additional peace of mind just in case.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2017

My husband is getting a little more unstable and falls sometimes. He called a lot of the medical alert companies and researched them. Medical Guardian had the best service and he liked what they had to offer better than anyone else. Getting it set up was really good and easy. We're hoping we don't have to use it but it's always there and we like to have them, even the door lock and lock box on the door. So, we're pleased.

Medical Guardian

Thank you for the kind words Bessie. We hope that we offer your mom, yourself and her loved ones added peace of mind. It's good that your mom does monthly testing too. While we hope that she never has to actually use our services, we're happy to be able to help if needed.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

We were worried that mom might fall into her apartment. She had a friend from church who had had an accident at her home and wasn’t found for a couple of days and so we needed an alert device and got the Mobile Guardian. The customer service was very efficient and helpful. It came faster than they said it would come. Setup was very easy and mom hasn't used it yet. But then they have her test it every month and the response times have been easily within a minute every time she hits the button. They’re a very easy company to work with so it’s a good experience overall. We would recommend them.

I had an accident. I fell, was hospitalized and had surgery. And I needed to be able to call if something goes wrong so I got the Medical Guardian. I often push the button by accident. If it's around my neck and I'm standing next to the kitchen counter and I lean over, there's pressure on the device from the counter but there's an immediate response from their staff members who are always very courteous about it. The device works outdoors as well as in the house but the only problem is that when I wear certain clothes, I don't always have a pocket and the device is a little heavy around my neck. I would prefer something lighter.

Medical Guardian

Roger, we're happy that you've never actually needed our device for more than just your regular testing. While we hope you never need it, know that we will be there for you if you ever have the need.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

I live alone and I have a tendency that I might possibly fall down and become incapacitated. I have the Medical Guardian device with the buttons and have it around my neck. So far I’ve only done the checks on it. I tell the reps I’m testing and they check to see who I am and let it go at that. They have been very congenial and we get along fine. I’ve been real happy with the Medical Guardian and I am confident that they’ll be there when I need them.

Medical Guardian

Barbara, your children obviously care about you. We're happy that they were proactive and got one of our devices after that vertigo incident. We are confident that our services will continue to offer you and your family peace of mind going forward.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

I had vertigo one night and it was really bad. I was throwing up, I couldn’t sit up and I couldn’t do anything. I finally got to the telephone after hours and called 911. After all that, the children ordered the Medical Guardian for me. It's a wristband and I wear it all the time. So far it’s been doing fine and I've had a very good experience.

Medical Guardian Company Profile