4.2/5 (961 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. You can choose from a range of devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Its products include mobile devices, home-based systems and a medical alert smartwatch. Medical Guardian offers fall detection as an add-on for every system it sells except the Freedom 2.0 smartwatch, which hasn’t been released at the time of publishing.

Pros

• Month-to-month contracts available
    • Transparent pricing
    • Fall detection available
    • Companion app

Cons

• Upfront fees on some packages
    • No free trial period

Bottom Line

Medical Guardian systems connect to a monitoring center that can send help 24/7. You can get a price break if you opt into an annual billing cycle, but upfront fees are required for some products, such as the Mini Guardian.

Top Medical Guardian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The device worked very well for my mother. … It allowed her to stay independent much longer because if she fell help would be on the way immediately. They always called me at home...

Verified

I'm 82 years old, living alone and I have issues as well as a pacemaker. ... I have their device around my neck and by the bed. During the day, I have my Medical Guardian watch on...

Medical Guardian alert systems

What is Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian is a medical alert company focused on products that benefit older adults who spend most of their time alone. The base unit and/or wearable device are included as part of each medical alert system plan, with additional equipment available.

Medical Guardian offers six different service packages, including all-in-one wearable and in-home systems with fall detection and two-way speakers. In-home alert devices have ranges up to 1,400 feet. On-the-go devices have a maximum battery life of seven days, depending on the device.

How does Medical Guardian work?

Medical Guardian alert systems are designed for at-home or on-the-go use. With either type of system, when you press the medical alert button, you are connected to a 24/7 medical monitoring center.

If Medical Guardian cannot confirm your safety after the alert system is activated, the operators quickly dispatch emergency medical services to your exact location.

The monitoring center does not hold information on your medical history, but it does have access to any notes you have chosen to share in your profile and can get you the help you need, whether it’s sending an ambulance for crisis care or contacting people you know for help in a nonemergency situation.

Medical Guardian monitoring centers are FM-approved and UL-listed, which means its emergency dispatch services meet specific safety and reliability standards. Medical Guardian monitoring centers also hold TMA Five Diamond certifications for operator training and ESA certifications for providing excellent emergency services.

Medical Guardian costs

Medical Guardian equipment fees are generally required for packages where you buy the equipment, but packages with leased equipment don’t have these initial fees. When available, the fall detection upgrade adds $10 a month to the monitoring fee.

Plan typeEquipment costMonthly feeOptional fall detection
    Classic GuardianLease$0$29.95
    Equipment cost$0$99.95$124.95$0$124.95Unavailable
    Monthly fee$29.95$34.95$39.95$44.95$39.95Unavailable
    Optional fall detection

Medical Guardian devices

In addition to extra services like fall detection, Medical Guardian plans can come with multiple accessory devices. These devices may be included as part of your package or for an additional monthly fee.

• Neck pendants: Water-resistant medical alert pendants include adjustable lanyards and have ranges between 600 and 1,300 feet, depending on which system you choose.
    • Wrist buttons: Similar to a watch, these water-resistant help buttons can be worn around your wrist.
    • Wireless wall buttons: Mounted wall buttons can be strategically placed throughout high-risk areas in your home. Wall buttons have a range of coverage up to 500 feet and wirelessly connect to a Medical Guardian monitoring center. Voice-activated wall buttons are also available.
    • Lockboxes: With a lockbox, emergency responders can gain access to your home without causing any damage to doorways. Lockboxes come free with annual subscription plans and can be added to any plan for an additional charge.

Medical Guardian FAQ

Is Medical Guardian covered by Medicare?
    Original Medicare does not cover medical alert devices, but some Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) will partially reimburse you for your medical alert system costs.
    Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system?
    No, you do not have to sign any contracts to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system. The company offers monthly, quarterly and annual payment plans.
    What is Medical Guardian’s return policy?
    You can call to cancel at any time, but Medical Guardian’s return policy states that any leased equipment must be returned to the company for the cancellation to take effect. Any remaining time left in the service plan period is refunded. Restocking fees may apply.
    Where are Medical Guardian monitoring centers located?
    Medical Guardian’s monitoring center is 100% U.S.-based, but the company doesn’t disclose a more specific location. Its services are available in all 50 states, though.
    Do Medical Guardian emergency response services require a landline?
    Only the Classic Guardian package requires a landline. All other Medical Guardian plans can run on a cellular network.
    Does Medical Guardian offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
    Yes, Medical Guardian provides a warranty against wear and tear. It also offers a Protection Plan that covers any costs related to a lost, stolen or damaged device. This optional plan can be purchased when you buy the system.

Is Medical Guardian worth it?

Medical Guardian alert systems can be a smart option for anyone with a critical medical condition or people who are at risk of falling or in recovery from a significant health event. Compare its products and services with those from other medical alert companies to make sure you’re getting the right system for your or your loved one’s needs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I enjoyed using the Medical Guardian smartwatch. It does everything as advertised. I like being able to get the local temperature and knowing how many steps I've taken for my morning walks. Every product has room for improvement, I would hope to see features such as measuring your body temperature, your heart rate, blood pressure and blood oxygen.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

The customer service is excellent from purchasing to installing. The sales rep and customer service took their time, researched and made sure all tests were performed correctly. Unfortunately the fall button failed the test and they must send out a new one. I am still wearing it in case I do fall. It allows me to push the button, if I pass out it will be of no use. Customer service promptly shipped a new button to me. I would recommend Medical Guardian to others because of their fantastic customer service and the cost is reasonable. I did extensive research and Medical Guardian was always at the top of the recommendation list.

Original review: July 25, 2022

I've been very pleased so far. Had one mishap where accidentally hit the button and they responded immediately. A couple weeks ago, got a call from them to check on me... I hadn't done my own check to ensure the device was working so they called me to check I'll be going to England in Sept, so that will be the real test. We shall see. For now, I'm very pleased with it. It charges easily. I can wear it either on provided lanyard or clipped to my waist. Like both ways. Not too expensive either.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

I was looking for a medical device that I could have with fall alert protection. Medical Guardian is supplying me with this protection. I was not happy with the first equipment I received but when called to set up the system, I was told of optional pieces. I am now thrilled with my small pendant and the system. Hopefully I will only have to press the alarm button once a month for a test.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

It is very easy to set up. We got both the wrist unit and the neck pendant, so if we get tired of one, we can switch. Three dollars more per month to add that option. We are pleased and will recommend it to our friends. I sure hope that Medical Guardian does not sell my phone number or e-mail!!! THAT would piss me

off. !!!!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I purchased the Guardian mini and it is convenient to place in a pocket or wear on the lanyard. It doesn't seem bulky like others and get in the way, resulting in false notifications. I find that because of these features I am more inclined to keep it on.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I can't say enough bad words about Medical Guardian and their senior pendant product. The product broke and the call center has been incompetent in getting a replacement product out to my father. There are so many better companies. Do not believe their marketing pitch - my 90 year old dad has been alone all week without his emergency alert product because of their incompetency. I have literally been on the phone with them every day and all I get is, "We messed up, it's a shipping problem, we are sorry." That doesn't cut it in the medical alert space. Choose wisely - don't choose Medical Guardian!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I cancelled Medical Guardian on 8-27-22. I returned all equipment but they automatically took the annual fee out on 8-29-22. They received the equipment on 9-2-22 but according to the rude agent who told me I would have to wait 30 days from the receipt of the equipment to refund my money plus it was mentioned I would have to pay a $50 restocking fee. So in the meantime I notified my bank and it is in dispute but is now on my credit card to pay. Since when does it take 30 days or more to credit back my credit card? This is the technology age not the Pony Express. Be wary of their cancellation ripoff.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

My elderly brother fell -- and, although unhurt, was unable to get up or reach a phone. He remembered to press the button. I was called, and so was EMS. He got the help he needed right away, and I got information from those on the scene. This system works!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I have been trying to cancel my membership for over 6 weeks apparently no one cares once they got my money. Now, I'm fighting for a complete reimbursement of my money!! I want my money back!! I want my money back!! I want my money back!! ASAP.

Medical Guardian Company Information