toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Vivint

Stephanie, thanks for your feedback! The door locks are a great feature and we're so glad you're liking them. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: March 5, 2016

When I got the system installed yesterday, the only question I had was "why didn't I get this sooner?" Being able to monitor and lock and unlock my door from my cell phone is amazing.

We are very happy with our security camera. Guys were very nice and helpful. We would recommend our friends and family. The prices are reasonable. We hope this service helps us a lot. Thank yall so much for yall help. Thanks.

Our home is less safe than before due to false alarms. Even without a battery the bad sensor generates false alarms in spite of telling the system to bypass it. Phone app has a time delay and indicates open sensors when not open and wall panel shows different sensor status from phone. Thermostat seems to have a mind of its own and there are no written instructions.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've had Vivint for years and the only reason I'm still with them is because they have a really nice set up from a technology standpoint. I was out of my contract which I had for five years. When I called back in June, the first issue I ran into is they had two dates down for my contract. Apparently, when I had moved, they had done something about renewing the contract. So, the manager got involved and got it fixed. I wanted to stay with Vivint and we're considering some new options. Talked to a nice gentleman and he set me up with extending my contract two years.

I was going to get an outdoor camera and a doorbell camera. Decided the next day that I'm going to do something different for a camera standpoint. So I bought four outdoor cameras with a DVR and just installed them and called in, cancelled that work order with Vivint the next day after I'd ordered it. They refunded my money. Two weeks later though, they went back and charged me $600 for all of the equipment that I never had installed. And apparently, the gentleman who cancelled my order the day after didn't cancel the work order. So Vivint's automated system charged me that money. I got it refunded, but two weeks later, they did it again. They charged me, got it refunded. Did it again, got it refunded. So, at one point, I probably had $2,500 in charges from Vivint. And they were all responsive at some point or another.

But I was so fed up, I was done with Vivint. But I talked to a wonderful lady in their retention department and she got it all figured out why I was getting charged and got it done. That's how they found out the work order wasn't cancelled. Well, then they got it corrected. But I was done. So she connected me with someone who got me hooked up with extending my contract just like we were going to in June. But it's stuff that I was actually going to use. So, I got a thermostat and the front door camera. Then they gave me a $43 a month bill. So, I was happy with the price.

But about a week later, Vivint went in and charged me $130 because the computer repair. I don't know if they thought the cost, that it was lowered to was too much or they thought that it was and nobody could figure out. It turns out they charged me for two months of different contracts that didn't exist. So, I had a call and given another refund. So, I got that refunded. Eventually, I just took my card out. I told them I don't want anything to do with automated things.

As of right now, everything is good. But I have no idea how to get in to check my bill. The website that I try to go to doesn't work and I don't know where I'm supposed to go for that. So, I do need to call and get that taken care of. But if I had to rate Vivint, I would say they have wonderful people working for them. I did talk to one lady at Vivint who was pretty nasty. But everybody else was very nice and professional. Nobody from the standpoint of who I talked to was bad at all.

But whatever automated system they're doing for billing needs being overhauled. Because if they had charged that to someone who was very much in need of that money and they have to pay their rent, it could really hurt them. Honestly, if I didn't like their technology, I would have switched to somebody else. Five years ago, I didn't have any hiccups. So, I'm not going to let this two months little experience burn that. And I have referred Vivint to friends and I actually got some bill credit for it years ago. I would recommend Vivint to my friends because their technologies are good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got the basic service package from Vivint and it worked real well when I had a break-in a couple of years ago. The people that broke in were only in the house about a minute because the alarms went off. I was at work, so they called me and the people on the phone knew what they were doing. Also, their sales reps were very friendly and installation went real well. They knew what they were doing too. I like them better than I do one of their competitors that I dealt with before and their customer service basically sucks. But with Vivint, I'm very happy and satisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had great interactions with Vivint's sales rep and the installation team that they've sent were very good in what they were doing. But I'm not happy with the system at all. It was constantly going down. I had to keep calling up. It has to be rebooted many times. The way it's been working has not been good. As a matter of fact, I went out and spent $5000 on a complete video camera system because I was so unhappy with Vivint. I'm sorry that I got to keep paying it for another two years. I would have been very happy if it worked fine because when it is working it does work well. But as many times as it's gone down, when I really needed it, it was ridiculous. I'd go to check something and cameras weren't working. Vivint is not my favorite system.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

They let us know if the door is open or if we forget or if we have something on the stove that's burning, overheated, or spilled over, we've set the alarm off a couple of times, so we know it works. And if there is a tornado warning in the district, which we really liked because the first time it happened, we couldn't get it shut off. It kept beeping until about 4:30 in the morning, although the storm had passed. So we couldn't go to sleep. It was hard to go to sleep that night. But we finally got the alarm and we just took it apart. Cancelled it so that they make sure they show us how to do it. But then we heard the next night, there was another tornado coming and we thought, "Oh no. Not again." But we got that problem solved and we do like that it comes on the TV saying that there's a tornado watch and of course it blanks the TV off. And then Vivint cuts in and starts beeping.

And because there's been a lot of break-ins here, it was suggested to us by the salesman to get alarms. So we have the Vivint alarms in our basement windows, the upstairs, the doors, bedroom windows and there's one by the side door, the front and back doors, the garage doors, and on the locked door. With the size of Sundre, there was one weekend, there was a hundred break-ins. And Sundre is not that big. There are 3,000 people here. In fact, the house behind us has been hit twice. My husband's 82 years old, and we're both seniors so we're not ready to start swinging a club to somebody who barges in here.

After the first and second time that we had tornado warnings here this summer, we got a Vivint rep from Utah and they shut the alarm down for us. The next day, they connected it up again. At the very beginning, the box where we punch our code in inside the house has gone wrong and had to be reset a few times. So we've had some problems, but mostly, it's been pretty good. The tech they sent out has been very good.

We've had to contact them a few times and they've always been very polite. We've never had anybody that has been rude or snap at us. Sometimes it's taken them a while to figure out the problem, like to disconnect the alarm so the beeping would stop that night that the first tornado warning was there. We were on the phone for a long time, but they were just as patient at the end of the phone call as they were at the beginning. They had us disconnect the stand-by battery and unplug it so that it would knock it out of commission. Then the next day, when they phoned us back, they went through everything and reprogrammed everything and we're good. They've been very helpful. We're pleased with Vivint. It has helped us through. When they're here to put up with all these break-ins, we feel a little safer.

Ok system I guess. My phone goes off non-stop saying visitor detected, but nobody is ever there. Was sitting out at the neighbor and that message came 10 times. I'm looking at the house... nobody, vehicle or animal. Too darn sensitive. I can't stand it. Ridiculous. I don't know if I should've gone with another company.

Vivint

Leslie, thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear that you've received excellent customer service and that everything is going well. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

From the salesperson, Gaby, to Brandon, who did our installation, the customer service was great! We had to make some last minute contract changes, and the installation had to happen over two days instead of one, but both of them worked to keep me informed of what was going on.

Kenny ** came to our door, my wife had just had surgery the day before. I had told him outside that she had just had surgery and that she needed to be resting. He insisted on going into our home anyway. My wife and I both told him that we can't afford it right now, quite a few times, and explained that we pay a lot in bills and are barely getting by as is. Every time we would tell him this, he would get more and more frustrated, and would continue to repeat information about the Vivint system. But his demeanor changed.

I understand sales is his job, and that he needs the commission money, which he said many times. But that doesn't mean making my family fall behind just for his own paycheck. Because I, too, have a 3-year-old. Felt pressured, and as if there was no way to kindly ask him to leave, after multiple times telling him we couldn't afford it. Aside from that, the man who installed the system, the tech, was excellent. Very friendly fellow. The system is excellent, don't get me wrong. But if I could do it again, I would rather a different sales rep come to my door. One who understands "not right now".

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I moved into my new house, the technician that installed the system, I had to have someone come in because I was at work. The young lady was 18 years of age and she just let him in. He hooked up everything. He never said anything about I was under a longer contract or anything of that nature. But he had a young 18-year-old sit up there and put my initials there or just sign here.

At the same time, I knew something was funny because he changed the lock on the door. And they had to come out two other times to rectify the situation because he didn't leave a key. And then, I had to call Vivint up and they had to come out and make a key for the front door. Now, in the process of this, he never stated that in this city that I moved in, High Point, North Carolina, that you have to register your alarm. So now, unfortunately, my alarm went off one day within the first two weeks of me being here. And Vivint went on and before they could reach me, they dispatched the police. Had I known that the alarm had to be registered, it wouldn't have cost me anything. But because the alarm was not registered, it cost me $110.

I called Vivint up and spoke to one of the accounts people and shared this with them. She basically called me a liar, saying she couldn't verify anything. So, the customer is not always right. I'm paying the bill, but yet she's going to tell me that, since she couldn't verify it with the technician. I think she knew the technician personally. Then she could offer me that I pay $50 and Vivint pays $50. I would have went through calling the city of High Point, calling their collection department in Charlotte, North Carolina, which is approximately 87 to 100 miles away, and calling the police department that said Vivint is supposed to notify them that I have an alarm system. But would I be upset over that if I had known? So I told her that they could come and get their system. Well, they said I was under contract. No, I'm not. I haven't signed anything. You could pull all the papers and I can show you my initials. You will see that it's two different sets of initials.

So, therefore they blew it. I'm not going to deal with them ever again because they violated not telling me the terms of the contract. They violated by having someone that they knew would just open up the door. It wasn't me. I'm the only one that owns the house. And last, but not least, the accounts person basically called me a liar. And when I turned around after speaking with her for about 30-minutes, asked for her supervisor, she so adamantly stated to me that her supervisor told her what to relay to me. So, I'm relaying it to her supervisor. I don't have a relationship with them. They could do whatever they want. We could go to court. And I can prove that I never put my initials on anything.

If they want to come and pick up their equipment, I have now transitioned to CPI. I don't have to go through this and that. They weren't providing me the customer service that I needed. They didn't inform when it was their obligation to inform. And when they were found that they were in the wrong, they didn't turn around and try to compensate me in the appropriate manner. So, I turned around and I terminated their service. Up until then, I can honestly say that when I was in smaller house in Greensboro, North Carolina, they were excellent. But since my experience of buying a new house, moving over here, I've been very dissatisfied.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm thoroughly satisfied with the home security that I purchased from Vivint. Their salesman that stopped by my house was courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. I had it installed four years ago and the installers were very courteous as well.

Vivint

Brandee, thank you for your feedback! We're glad you're enjoying your system and the features that it has to offer. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I'm loving the service, ease of use, and pricing! I've got great surveillance at a great price! The installation was super fast and was completed the same day that I ordered the service! When my cameras stopped recording video clips, customer service was quick to offer assistance and even send out a tech when more help was needed. Working like a charm now!

Resolution In Progress

Vivint

Angela, that is not what we like to hear! If you would like to cancel within your agreement, we do ask that customers pay the remaining months of their agreement, or find someone to takeover the account. If you would like us to review your account please email us at, socialcs@vivint.com. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Vivint tricks their customers into lengthy contracts of 42 or 48 months or more. Then when you try to get out they say they will charge you an astronomical $2500 termination fee. What if you move, well you are stuck. You either have to transfer the service or the new homeowner has to take over your current contract. I have fulfilled my initial 42 month contract (which I understood paid for the equipment). Vivint told me I verbally agreed to extend my contract by 48 months. I only confirmed and secured my pricing. I didn't agree to another 48 months. Now I want to switch services to save a lot of money and Vivint wants to charge me $2500! That is bad business. I am not ever recommending Vivint!

Vivint

Thank you so much for your feedback, Beverley. We appreciate all feedback that is submitted to us so that we can improve our processes.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Vivint was in the neighborhood and we signed up. We have the window, door and glass break sensors and smoke alarms included with our service package for safety purposes and in cases of break-ins. So far, we're satisfied with the service that we're getting. Some of the sensors sometimes break and we have to purchase new ones. We call Vivint and they answer all of our questions and they are also fairly prompt in sending new sensors in the mail. The alarm went off once and we didn’t know why and the fire department showed up. The callers on the other end are very quick to get onto the intercom and see if everything is okay.

On the initial installation, the team seemed fairly knowledgeable in their jobs and they knew what to do. And they were very friendly, too. They couldn’t get the back door to work and they said that we would have to cut out part of the door. The problem was fixed years later. So, we were paying for that service but we never used it. When we revisited our contract, I explained it to the lady rep. A technician came out to check the whole system and fixed it when he came. Also, I told the lady from Vivint that because we had some issues with the alarm system, I wasn’t happy with the amount that we're paying. She was able to lower it but still, there are other security system places that offer the same service for a bit less.

Vivint

Aasia, thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that you're enjoying your system and that you've received excellent customer service. We appreciate you working with us whenever you have any concerns. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

My husband passed away and I knew that I wouldn’t feel secure without a home alarm system. I wanted one and that way, I could monitor who comes up to my door or if anyone is in my home, and I could see it while I'm working because I work fulltime. I went online and I got Vivint's number and called them up. The customer service rep who helped me was really informative and he made me feel comfortable with making the purchase. The installation went quicker than I thought and they explained everything to me and then gave me the key. I have the camera on my doorbell and another in my main room and I also have a window break. I'm very satisfied with the whole system.

One time, my batteries went out and I didn’t know what was going on. So, I had to contact them so that they can walk me through and let me know what to do. I got it resolved. Recently, there was a really bad storm in our area and there was a power outage and I was out of town. And I really appreciate that they alerted me that my power was out and I didn’t have to come home to a surprise. They called me and then they also sent a notification to my phone. Overall, it's a great alarm system. It really provides the security that I need. I'd definitely recommend them and I already did.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have been working with Vivint since 2010. We were looking for a company to do not just security but also emission management for a fully green efficient home. Vivint had the right mission, resources and technology, so we knew what we wanted and they matched it nicely. We built a new construction project in Boston and partnered with them to showcase some of their cool technology. We had a close relationship in terms of promoting Vivint and we did a couple of commercials with them. Plus, we would service them and back for our area in Boston, trying to get everyone to convert.

We were a showcase home for Vivint and we got cameras and light switches in our package. This home is a big deal in this part of the city, so we want to make sure that we could continue to promote Vivint effectively. We have primary and secondary panels in three different apartments, and we have the new technology for the primary panel. We have secondary panels that don’t work with the first, so I called them to find out if the secondary panel was available. Sooner or later they’ll call us back and let us know if we could have the panels, but we give tours of the home and our showcase exhibits. Without having all the proper features, we can’t show everything they didn’t have to offer, and it makes it difficult for us.

In the past, Vivint would’ve gotten the panel out as quickly as possible, but with the new leadership, people are unaware of the history and it’s been a little different. They send out a gentleman named Derrick and he’s new to us, but he’s respectful of our history and he’s been great. He’s a local and he knows the neighborhood and our needs. Overall, Vivint offers great home security and home energy services, but the leadership and the people I contact have changed, so our experience has changed over time. We used to have a great relationship with Vivint and we’d like to return what we had before, but now we’re trying to see if it’s still the company for us.

Vivint

Tim, thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your system. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

We wanted security so we got Vivint’s services. My dad had them too. Our package includes monitoring, a couple of cameras and the ability to hear inside if the alarm’s going off. The service has been great so far. And the reps were friendly and knowledgeable. Overall, I'm happy with Vivint.

Resolution In Progress

Vivint

Trenton, we apologize that this was your experience with us. If you have any further feedback, please email us at socialcs@vivint.com.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Salesman lied to me about coverage and price. Tech lied to me about why he was late to my appointment twice. Customer service lied to me FOUR TIMES, and it took 5 days to get my system removed. I wouldn't recommend this system to my worst enemy.

Vivint

Tash, we are happy to hear this! We are glad that you are enjoying the many functions our system has to offer. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I love my Vivint security system already! It's easy to use and customize to my liking. The mobile app is one of my favorite options. I also really like how many options of high tech security equipment that Vivint offers. I definitely recommend Vivint!

Vivint

Isle, thank you for your feedback! We're glad everything went smoothly and that you're enjoying your system, so far. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I'm very satisfied with Vivint's system and services. Vivint had more to offer so I switched to them from ADT. I'm fine with the pricing, too. I was living alone and I'm a senior citizen so I had the panel and two door locks and two window locks included in my service package. Their representative was very informed and gave me good information. The installation went smoothly. And overall, I'm grateful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm a salesperson who works for ACM, an independent company that markets services. My company sources out Vivint and people get it for another rate through us. My business is based off of results and people are going to say bad things if I source out a product that isn't good, so I try it myself to make sure it's good before I market it. Security is always an issue wherever anyone lives and I had a dog that passed, so I needed to up my security and getting something that needed marketing was a better way to do it. The Vivint sales rep was knowledgeable and our interaction was smooth and easy. Even though I market it, I’m a hard sell and she worked with me. Also, the installation team was excellent. They were clean, on time and knowledgeable with what they were doing.

My package includes the door locks, cameras, and chimes. I’m very satisfied because I love the fact that I could be away from home and access my doors if I want to let someone in. I can check, look into my home and talk to individuals in there. Overall, Vivint is an awesome security company that offers professional service. They're reasonable and I like the features that they have. Their system is user-friendly and it really makes me feel safe to sleep at night.

Vivint

Nikia, thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us and that you're liking your system! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I feel more secure now that I have some of those added features that I've always wanted in an alarm system. Vivint's sales rep was knowledgeable and the service technician who installed the program was great. When there are false alarms or when the alarm is triggered, they respond in a timely manner. But if someone knocks on the door, I don’t get the alert until five minutes after. Also, I requested gold but the rep had silver when he came. He was supposed to come and swap out the color but he never did. Otherwise, I'm satisfied with my experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was injured in the military, lost my leg and damaged my other one. I worked for 35 years and my wife passed away several years ago, and now I've had some other health problems so I'm becoming more and more security conscious. I live in a very rural area, on a beautiful lake. Being out here having no neighbors, and being disabled more than I have been in my working years, I became more and more security conscious.

My son has a Vivint security system in California and told me about them. I was looking for a company that could give me cameras, lock-and-unlock the doors, and things like that. I had to change from AT&T to another company because they didn't have the power to work any of that. I was with ADT for about 12 years and they couldn't do what I wanted to do so I started looking around. I have a doorbell camera in the front, I have a camera that looks in the back and another camera that looks inside.

The service has been poor, though. I've had several computer repairs. All of a sudden it doesn't work. And they don't call you. They do things, then it works, then it doesn't work again. Also, if somebody rings the doorbell and I push the thing and go to the camera in the front door, by the time I pushed the button that says "Talk", I have to wait and wait for the little green arrow to go round and round. It's very slow.

Several times, it's taken so long for people who rang the doorbell in the first place. They leave because they don't think I'm home. Because of my disability, a lot of times I'm still in my hospital bed or I've got some therapist. I had to call and they had to leave and they come back and then I unlock the front door and then they come in. Also, the funny thing is the sign that they put up to let everybody know that I'm covered by them was installed upside down. My brother was coming up from the dark and he realized that, and he's laughing instead of taking it seriously, so I left my ADT signs up.

They're very kind and they try real hard. They've always been super friendly, very conscientious and when they're done, it seems like everything's back to where it's supposed to be. It's just that they don't make it all the way. I'm not all that satisfied with the service. There's a lot of frustration because I'm depending on it. That's why I changed internet services just to get it to work.

Vivint

Amanda, thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that you're enjoying your system and the features that it has to offer. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have Vivint for over a year now and I got them for safety and convenience. I have door monitoring, window monitoring, glass shattering, thermostat and smoke detector. I had a few problems with some sensors, but Vivint staff were awesome in coming and getting them done and I was very satisfied with their service. Also, their sales rep and installation team were awesome. The Vivint people were very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable.

Vivint

Angelo, thank you for taking time to review Vivint!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Vivint reps came to our door quite late at night and we decided that the deal was good, but it’s not compared to what we’ve seen otherwise then. We should have done some research as we’re suffering the consequences now. But they were in a hurry to get it all set up. Our equipment has been faulty since we got it and it can’t be fixed. They said that because we have a handle lock and we don't have a deadbolt lock, it doesn’t work properly. Even if they were to replace the equipment, it'd be the same and the only solution is to get a deadbolt lock.

They were willing to pay for the deadbolt kit but they don’t want to take any responsibility for doing the deadbolt itself. You do it yourself and you take the chance of ruining your door and having to replace your door. We have no training on how to do a deadbolt. They should have told us that the equipment was going to fail when we first signed the contract, which was two years ago in September. They said that at any time we happen to want to stick the handle, they would charge us for a visit. That shouldn’t be something that’s charged to us. A default is a part that you needed that was going to be defaulted before you even put it in. With Vivint, we have the security and we would have liked to have a doorbell camera too but they told us that would be an extra cost. We were able to negotiate that the contract would only be three years long as compared to the five or six years they wanted though. But all in all, Vivint was a big mistake.

Vivint

Thanks for your feedback, Alexander! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your Vivint system and services! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I'm very satisfied with our Vivint system. I got the most basic features to secure my house and feel a little bit more at ease when we're not home. The first Vivint sales representative was cool. He got it hooked up and did everything pretty quickly. The installation team came and knocked everything out real quick as well. They're also timely and they cleaned up after themselves. And then I've had the maintenance guy go over it one time because our speaker went out. But he fixed that in five minutes. And then, I recently had another representative walking around the neighborhood. He tried to help me out, but I was in between houses when I was moving. Everything has been pretty good. All the representatives at Vivint have been really well. I feel a lot more secure having my Vivint system. I'm more sure of leaving the house when we go out-of-town. It's a little bit more peace of mind when we're there, and when we're not there.

Vivint

Patricia, we appreciate your feedback. It's great to hear that you're enjoying your system, so far. Remote access is a great feature to have! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Vivint has been such a great experience since we bought it 3 weeks ago. We feel so secure and safe and knowing the accessibility is awesome. I would recommend this system to anyone that wants to feel safe and secure knowing it's just a touch away. I watch my pet everyday all day and knowing I can talk to him is pretty cool. My family and I feel safe. Thank you.

Vivint

Gerald, thank you for your feedback. We're so happy to hear that you've received excellent customer service and that you're enjoying your system. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

We had a few issues while setting up the service in my home. But the service team was extremely responsive and returned quickly to resolve them. I love the ease and convenience of securing my home and I feel very safe. I had another security service prior to this installation and I have so much more sophistication for close to the same price.

Vivint

Adriaan, thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying your system and the features that it has to offer! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

There was a break-in in the neighborhood and I also wanted the convenience, so I got things like the alarm, cameras, and free sensors from Vivint. For the most part, installation was good. They set up fast and I find Vivint really responsive on any trouble, so they have good customer service. I've been very satisfied with their service.

Vivint Company Profile