Get a Quote

4.7/5 (6356 ratings)
Get a Quote

About Vivint Smart Home

Vivint Smart Home is a home security and home automation provider that offers professionally monitored and installed systems. Its product line includes doorbell cameras, outdoor and indoor cameras, security sensors, smart locks, garage door openers and smart thermostats. It requires no contracts, but customers have to pay for equipment upfront.

Pros

• Contract-free option available
    • Advanced tech and integrations
    • Fully customizable
    • Special military benefits

Cons

• Professional installation required
    • Must speak with agent for pricing

Bottom Line

Vivint offers advanced home security systems and home automation integration with 24/7 monitoring available. It requires professional monitoring, but customers can mix and match equipment.

Top Vivint Smart Home Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Verified

I had Vivint installed today. It was fast and outstanding service. The tech went over everything. I could not be happier. … We like the clarity of picture and sound from the porch...

Verified

I'm extremely satisfied on how easy the install, set up and equipment system is used. I plan to refer family and friends; show them how easy the system works & how affordable the ...

Information from Vivint on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Vivint has adopted several procedures to help contain the spread of the coronavirus and ensure the safety of its employees and customers. The company is performing daily health checks on all employees. Vivint's technicians are also following the social distancing guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and using protective sanitary equipment, such as gloves and hand sanitizer, when possible.

What is Vivint?

Vivint is a provider of security systems and additional safety products for homes and businesses alike. Because Vivint plans are highly customizable, customers must contact a sales representative for a free quote. However, customers who spend $599 on equipment or more qualify for a special rate of $29.99 a month. All Vivint security systems are professionally installed and monitored 24/7 by an experienced team.

Vivint pricing

Vivint’s costs start at $29.99 per month for customers who buy $599 worth of equipment or more and rise as you customize your home security package. All Vivint equipment must be installed professionally, and installation fees range from $49 to $199.

All packages include 24/7 monitoring with the option to add the following:

Smart locks
    vivint smart thermostat
    Smart thermostat

Vivint packages and monitoring

Vivint offers home security and home automation packages, including 24/7 monitoring and video surveillance. Vivint’s contract terms range from 42 to 60 months, but you can avoid a long-term contract altogether if you purchase your equipment upfront.

Vivint home security packages
    Vivint offers 24/7 monitoring on all its home security packages. The monitoring department can get you help in an emergency, from break-ins to medical alerts. Vivint has highly customizable packages, but each package starts with the basics: a burglar alarm, a smoke detector, a water sensor and a CO detector. From there, you can choose to add on more security equipment, including cameras, sensors, smart locks and more.
    Vivint home automation packages
    Vivint home automation starts with SkyControl Panel, standard on all packages. The SkyControl panel acts as your automation hub, complete with a two-way talk feature to communicate with Vivint’s monitoring center.

The SkyControl Panel’s touch-screen dashboard comes with free professional installation and includes the following capabilities, features and controls:

• Arming/disarming your system
    • Security camera footage
    • Panic button
    • Thermostat, lighting and appliance adjustment
    • Two-way communication
    • Encrypted network
    • Wireless connection
    • Backup battery

You can also choose to run your Vivint home automation through a smart device like Google Home and easily control features like temperature, lighting and your security system with just your voice.

Vivint equipment

Vivint offers both predesigned and custom equipment packages. You can add any of the following equipment options to your home alarm or home automation package to design your ideal home security system. Vivint requires professional installation for its equipment (starts at $49).

• SkyControl panel
    • Lamp module
    • Google Home

Home automation equipment

Element thermostat
    Vivint’s smart thermostat has built-in automation to optimize your home for both comfort and energy savings. You can control the device remotely through your phone or with voice control devices like the Amazon Echo. Features include mobile alerts and humidity tracking for optimized air quality in addition to energy-saving automation features. With the Element thermostat, you can set home and away times to use less energy while you’re out of the house and save on your bills.
    Smart locks
    Lock and unlock your home remotely through Vivint's app and receive alerts and notifications when your door is left unlocked. You can also enter your home with a PIN code, even if you've lost your keys. Your smart home system will disarm your alarm, turn the lights on and adjust your thermostat to your preferred setting upon entering your home.
    Garage door control
    Open and shut your garage door from anywhere with your mobile device. With smart home functionality, you can even receive an alert on your phone when you’ve left your garage door open.
    Ping camera
    A ping camera is an indoor camera with two-way talk features that allow you to communicate with your family even when you're away from home. Ideal for families with children, the ping camera can connect to your kids via your phone and give you a live, visual feed of what’s going on at your house.
    Doorbell camera
    Vivint’s doorbell camera features a wide-angle lens, two-way talk capabilities and night vision and can record video 24/7 for up to 30 days. The doorbell camera integrates with VivintSky, allowing you to unlock your front door, open your garage door or turn on your lights. You’ll get notifications when the camera detects a visitor, and smart motion detection initiates an automatic 30-second smart clip whenever it detects a person approaching your property.
    Philips Hue
    Vivint’s smart home lighting, Philips Hue, wirelessly connects for simple mobile or voice light control. You can set custom lighting rules, enabling lights to turn on and off on a schedule and coordinating lights by floor or other areas of your home. The smart lighting equipment operates with LED bulbs.

Vivint Smart Home FAQ

How long are Vivint contracts?
    Although a contract isn’t necessary, those who wish to finance can purchase a contract starting at 42 months. Month-to-month pricing is available as long as the equipment is paid for upfront.
    Does Vivint work without Wi-Fi?
    No, Vivint cameras run using a Wi-Fi network. You must also have Wi-Fi to use the control panel, which comes with each Vivint security system.
    Does Vivint spy on you?
    While Vivint doesn’t spy on you, hacking is always a possibility with any home security cameras that use wireless technology. Like most security companies, Vivint encrypts its cameras. To protect against hackers, Vivint recommends discussing security with your Wi-Fi provider.
    Does Vivint run a credit check?
    Vivint may run a credit check if you request a free quote or make a purchase. The Vivint privacy policy doesn’t specify if this is solely for customers seeking financing or not.
    Can Vivint be used without monitoring?
    No, all Vivint packages come with professional monitoring.
    Does the Vivint Sky Panel have a camera?
    The Vivint Sky Panel does not have a camera. This is a control panel that allows users to control all their home security equipment and communicate with Vivint security professionals.

Is Vivint worth it?

Vivint can be pricey compared to some security systems, namely because of the equipment. However, for those willing to pay more for home security, it seems the equipment is a big draw. Vivint users say the control panel is easy to use and praise the camera quality — particularly the doorbell cameras, which are often blurry. Additionally, customers can pick and choose which equipment is right for their home and needs, and professional monitoring is automatically included.

While Vivint isn’t for those on a tight budget, it is a good choice for the customer willing to pay a little more for peace of mind, knowing their security system is monitored 24/7 by a professional team.

Vivint Smart Home Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Smart Home?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: June 27, 2021

What a great experience. From purchase from Matt to the install. Our installer was Josh and he did a great job. Very professional and unobtrusive while doing his work. When he ran into some issues integrating our old wired hardware, he called for Harlow and two other techs showed up within minutes. Our was a pretty big install and they worked together to solve problems and get the job done. They finally finished up at 10:00 pm after starting around 3:00 pm. The only thing that I didn’t care for was the sales pitch that we could get the “discount” price if we were “flexible” regarding installation. We said we were with the thought that that would mean in the next few days with some reasonable notice.

After we agreed to purchase the system Matt made a phone call and we were told that the install crew would be at our house in about an hour. I really didn’t mind that and actually like the idea of getting the install done right away, but we did have plans for dinner with friends and had to cancel that. My issue is that it felt a little like a “trick” and setting a hook after the sale. Just be honest. Tell me that “being flexible” means clearing your schedule for the install crew and possibly doing so on virtually no notice. I would have felt much better had they done that. No one likes to feel tricked or taken advantage of. You have a great product and great employees. Let that be your market advantage. You don’t need to hide the truth of what “flexible” means until the sale is final.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, John! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I have been considering a security system for sometime. My daughters have been insistent that I get one. I was outside my home yesterday and began talking to Omahri **, a Smart Home Pro in my area. He gave an impressive, inclusive presentation with visuals, videos. As a retired educator, I appreciated his knowledge, patience, and empathetic demeanor.

As a young person, he was very skilled in making connections/giving explanations per my ability to assimilate the information and technology. He made references to “seniors,” which we pleasantly changed to “experienced.” ???? He also made very nice references to his mother and grandmother, which made me feel he cared about the quality of this system for my own, personal use. He helped me load/understand the Vivint app on my phone. He also helped me with the security identification on it. (I also greatly appreciated that I did not feel judged by the total wreckage of many rooms in my home - I may NEVER get all this unpacked!)

I do not remember the name of the electrician/technician who came later to install everything. He was equally prompt, friendly, skilled, and efficient. We deferred to him for location of the main unit/device. It was a better choice than either Omahri or I had considered. He also explained everything patiently, allowed me to ask questions, and was quick and efficient. And he also abided my piles of books ???, paperwork, and everything else. I was horrified. They were polite professionals.

If this system works as well as these two representatives did, I feel confident I will like it very much. I was surprised to realize/remember it is what my daughter has had for almost a year. Memory is not my strongest attribute. I highly - 10 on scale of 1-10 - recommend both of these young men. Thank you for this opportunity to commend the professionalism of these two gentlemen.

Vivint Smart Home response

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing, Janelle. We are so happy that you had a great experience and look forward to serving you in the future. Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Great system. Connie was really awesome with the installation, clean habitat in the job site, great explaining and instructing how the system work, also a good person. When we asked questions she was there to answer and help us out with anything we need to know.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback Jose! We are so glad to hear about your experience with Connie and how you're loving your system

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Nate, a young man of 19 years, approached me when I was outside, but maintained significant distance, which helped me know he meant me no harm. He was very personable and professional, presenting Vivint as a company and moving through the presentation quickly and easily, answering questions and providing evidence on his iPad. He asked about 10-15 minutes into the conversation if I would mind letting him into the house, to sit at a table to continue his presentation. At first I declined, so he stepped a few feet back and continued the presentation. I noticed he was having a little trouble handling his iPad, and finally allowed him in. He was very courteous and polite, accompanying me to the table and patiently waiting as I pulled out chairs for us, staying in one position until I was ready.

As we sat and talked, Nate called in the Regional Manager, Ty, who arrived not long after, introduced himself, and joined us at the table. He was exceptionally personable and professional, answered all of my questions arising from his presentation, and kept Nate in the conversation, having him look things up on the internet and asking him to explain some things. The presentations they both gave and the Internet/Vivint displays they provided were very compelling. But it was the cost, along with the zero % interest rate, that sealed the deal. I was excited when they left, and an installation team had just arrived!

Drew and Jacob made an excellent installation team, working quickly and communicating very briefly when necessary. They were also very personable, joking with me intermittently and explaining things clearly. They had to come back in a day or two, to get the system tied to the Internet, but I had camera warnings and video footage the first night!

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback, Catherine! We are so glad to hear about your experience with Nate and how you're loving your system.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Marian was very helpful with moving the back door camera to the front door and setting up what he could without WiFi - although he did not patch the massive hole in my wall that the previous camera made so now I have to figure out how to cover that up so no bugs or rain water can get in and I don’t hear everyone that passes by my condo.

I was missing a few things apparently (an indoor camera and a glass break sensor, that I can remember) that I assume the previous owner took when they moved. I was disappointed to find out it would be an extra charge to get any of those items replaced, especially since I’m a new customer and already paid $90 something for the first month as a set up charge - shouldn’t I be given a few things to start up with Vivint? I just didn’t realize I would be paying for an install/activation ($90 something) and on top of that would have to pay $200 for window sensors (hard pass - that’s what I pay my HOA each month) and even more for cameras and glass break sensors. I thought that all would be included with the $90 charge because that’s what my parents said they got when they started with Vivint.

He also did not help me change my door code (and I forgot to ask to be fair) so... I don’t know, I guess I’ll have to call Vivint about how to do that along with what to do for an indoor camera since now I just have one at my front door and that’s the only security I have which, living alone, I’m not feeling great about that. The only reason I gave 4 stars is because the guy told me his pay would be reduced for anything lower and I’m not mad at him so that’s not fair of me to inadvertently do that to him - I’m mad at the Vivint company for not setting me up as a first time buyer with everything my parents were set up with as first time buyers. It’s not like you’re losing money on me by giving me a camera to put in my house or a glass break sensor. Or even - idk - window sensors on any of the literal 4 windows I have in my condo. Anyway, I’m probably yelling into the wind but maybe this helps y’all in the future to have better customer care.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback, Mercedes. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your billing and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Experience was great awesome customer service. I would recommend Vivint to all my friends and family. I can't wait to see how this works for me. I'm really excited about this. I got this just in time as I will be going on vacation soon with a piece of mind. My technician Matt was very professional and courteous.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Carol! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: July 24, 2021

Very professional… price was great. Zach our sales rep is awesome our install was quick and easy. They were very detailed and descriptive. Honest, upfront with everything. The next day they even came back to see how the system was.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Darrick! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: July 24, 2021

Installer was very nice. Mostly did a great job. I thought that we were going to have our smart thermostats installed as well as a smart door lock but that's not the case. In addition to that, I was left with a 1.5 inch hold in my patio where the old cameras were removed. We have rodents and bees that would have full access to our patio. Installer should have sealed that area or never removed a camera that's going to leave a hole for the outside elements to come into the attic. I need that fixed as soon as possible.

Vivint Smart Home response

John, thank you for bringing this to our attention! Please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. We want to make sure your issue is resolved.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Amazing customer service! Very Thorough in explaining each step, each equipment, what it does, making me so comfortable. I didn’t feel rushed. He took time out to make sure I understood everything. Just WOW!!! Mahalo La Kendrick for your service

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Jovannah! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: July 23, 2021

I have a great experience with Vivint. Starting from getting the quotation to the actual installation. James is very helpful with regards to my needs as a homeowner to what I need to accomplish. Jendy was on time during the install. She updates me from time to time with regards to the installation. And walk through us after to make sure we know how to use our new system. We are happy with our new system.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Warden! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Vivint Smart Home Company Information