3.81/5
Based on 2,333 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Gallery (2)
A-BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 25, 2018

7632 Vivint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

The sales rep was AWESOME! Honest, open and direct. So far the system is very cool and works perfectly. The VIVINT yard sign even has an attached solar light! Our only issue was the doorbell camera, we wouldn’t get it installed due to the distance to an electrical outlet.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm & Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Very pleased. Salesman was very professional and knowledgeable. The technician arrived same day within 30 mins of sale. Very professional and skilled. Outstanding experience. Looking forward to a rewarding relationship with Vivint. Job was completed well ahead of my expectations. Couldn't be happier.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Salesmen (Collin) was very knowledgeable about the security system and was able to design a package that fit my needs and overcoming my objections to leaving my current provider. Installer arrived within 20 minutes of signing up. He was polite and showed me how to use the wall panel and phone app.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We finally took the step to secure our home. We are so glad we chose Vivint! Even though we have not had any issues, we still like to feel a sense of peace with having our home secure. The process was simple, the installer tech was great and personable, the system works great! Again glad we chose Vivint to get a sense of protection and security for our home.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We received an outstanding presentation and follow up by James **. Very professional. The installation went well with no problems by Steve. His knowledge of the system and user training was awesome. I would highly recommend this product to other home owners. Home security is something that should never be taken lightly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: May 24, 2018

I am happy with the product. It is very easy to use and has many nice features. I do wish there were a way to program the inside cameras so that they would not record unless there is a break in. While we can turn the camera off it still records and that may take some getting used to. The technician was very nice and very knowledgeable. He was not as good about cleaning up after himself as I would have liked, but that is a small thing.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I love the Vivint home automation system as I can monitor my property while using the system to work with family, friends and contractors even when I am unable to be home. It is as simple as punching in a few buttons on my app and work can be completed in my absence. The doorbell camera is awesome as it captures motion and guests at my too. I am loving the constant visual of my front door and I feel safe knowing what is going on at my home even when I can't be there.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I LOVE my Vivint SMART Home but I hate the constant emails from Vivint. I've Unsubscribed from ALL Vivint emails for 2 weeks straight EVERY SINGLE GOD DAMN DAY and yet I still get emails. When will they stop sending me useless emails that I've asked not to receive? I hope today!

Original review: May 24, 2018

I've only had front camera for a few weeks and so far it's wonderful. I like the feeling of security I'm getting to be able to view my house while I'm away. At this moment I didn't purchase any of the other products so not sure how they work.

Original review: May 24, 2018

We've been having some disturbing elements in our neighborhood. This protection allows us to tune in to the world approaching, or inside our home. We have two dogs that we can check on while away from our home. The light units allow us to turn on lights from our phones without having to trudge upstairs. We're delighted with the security. What else you got? Hehehe!

Original review: May 23, 2018

The Vivint process is good but the lack of information and follow through on promised promotion is very poor. The follow up on the second order is also very poor. Still not been done and no contact since the first installation.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Camera’s Poor night vision. Camera were freezing. Garage door controller will it pick up signals. Have to keep asking it to open or close the door. Request fails. Have called support line 4 or 5 times in 2 weeks. System has not impressed me.

Original review: May 22, 2018

So far we have been very pleased with the ease of purchase, installation, and problem solving. The salesperson knocked on our door after my husband and I had talked about getting a security system. The timing was perfect!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Sales and installation were done by true professionals. I am not living at the house right now so haven’t used much the system but I am sure that it will be an easy daily step to be protected. Thank you.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Equipment is a little on the expensive side, installation was prompt and professional. Sales person was likable, knowledgeable and overall pleasant to have over.

Original review: May 22, 2018

All involved (sales, tech, install) were excellent. Professional and courteous, would recommend this service to others. Equipment appears to be of high caliber and I like that Best Buy is affiliated with Vivint since it is a reputable company and gets this product to consumers so easily.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have had Vivint for 5 months now. I have only paid 1 bill in full due to the various technician visits. I have had so many camera issues. I have had a new panel replaced. Now I am having my panel moved due to the fact that it is not compatible with the wiring. I have not been able to view video clips in a month. I really hate Vivint and will do whatever I can to cancel this service. I do not recommend them to anyone.

Vivint response

We definitely understand your frustration, Althea and we want to find a possible resolution to your issue. Please send us an email with further details, thanks! (socialcs@vivint.com)

Original review: May 22, 2018

Switching to Vivint was an easy decision after all the benefits were explained to us. The high-tech, Smart Home technology is so easy to use and definitely worth the money. Being able to check on the house without driving all the way home give great peace of mind. Signing up and the installation process was super simple and everyone we have dealt with has been both personable and professional! Definitely a great decision to add Vivint in our home.

Vivint response

Thanks for the positive feedback, Lauren, and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Waited for 2 weeks for them to complete an installation. The tech overloaded my WiFi box and all of my tv service blew out for the night. The representative promised me a free camera to keep me and then retracted!

Vivint response

Michelle, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to assist you with the concerns that you have. Please feel free to reach out to us at socialcs@vivint.com.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I cannot get over how wonderful my experience was with the installation of the security system. Not only do I feel much safer with having that installed in the house but Brad was wonderful. He was professional and extremely helpful showing me how to use the system. He offered advice as to where he thought the best placement for the cameras were and did such an awesome job showing me how to use everything. He was fantastic! I highly recommend this system and Brad for installation! I was very impressed!!

Original review: May 22, 2018

Vivint made every effort to guide me through the process of installation and choosing the right service to fit my family’s needs. The tech, Cody was very friendly, professional and answered all of the questions I had regarding my service. I felt confident that I understood the system when he had finished installation.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I've been with Vivint for almost a year and they're doing well. Vivint's guys are good salespeople. They got me in trouble with my family because they are so smart selling all different ideas of why we have to use it. Still, I give credit to their team. They did a great job. The installation was good as well. There are two friends that moved in and I told them about Vivint and why it's important. They like to see me playing with my phone opening it and closing my doors. It feels cool and I could tell from the way they look at the system, it's time that they wanna have it and have theirs working the same way.

Original review: May 21, 2018

They were able to upgrade our current system for roughly the same price. Very friendly sales representative and the install happened same day with and was over pretty quick. So far very happy with our new security system. I would recommend listing to what they have to say or checking them out in your area. The referral program sounds great as well.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing Pete! We are thrilled you love your Vivint Smart Home System and experienced great customer service! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We had good installation and the salesman was very knowledgeable. We only had one glitch when the alarm armed itself and we had to try to disarm it several times before it went off. We haven't got Internet yet so can't comment on the phone camera yet. But so far so good.

Vivint response

Thanks for the feedback, Stephen! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Not happy with the sound system. After it was installed I was not happy with how low the sound is and you don't have a way to set the system on stay instinct. You need two panels to hear on a multi level home. My old system I didn't. The installer went over everything with me great but it is too expensive not to work the way I thought it would.

Vivint response

It sounds like you've had a frustrating experience, Deborah. If you email us with more details about the situation at socialcs@vivint.com, we'll gladly take care of you. Thanks for choosing Vivint Smart Home

Original review: May 21, 2018

No complaints so far. From the sale to the installation, everything went smoothly. First time being a Vivint customer so hopefully we'll continue to be for a long time. Was really impressed with their line of home security products.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing, Ruben! We are thrilled you love your Vivint Smart Home System and experienced great customer service! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: May 21, 2018

We had a new modem install for our internet and the nest thermostat stopped working and we cannot connect to the new internet modem. We can no longer turn on the air conditioning and I called Vivint 800 number to get help. The online consultant was very helpful but, she could not get us back online. She set up a visit by a tech but, we will have to wait ten days for the tech to arrive. In the meantime, we have no air conditioning and we cannot access the cameras online.

Original review: May 21, 2018

Love the system. A few bumps with the initial installation but I could not be happier. I love the security it provides and how easy it is to access. Kids are also great at using it because it's very user friendly.

Original review: May 21, 2018

The Vivint experience has been perfect from start to finish. The salesman and installer were available for any questions during the whole process. I couldn't be happier with the products and customer service provided. I would for sure recommend Vivint services to anyone.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I installed Vivint Smart Home about 4 months ago and the first month had a few hiccups with my indoor camera but eventually resolved after 5+ calls into support. Fast forward to a month ago and my cameras are constantly going on and offline. I know the system is working because it's never all the cameras. Just one at a time here and there. We are having construction done at the house and that was one of the main reasons we got this system, now my backyard camera is again offline. I can't be home to do a hour long troubleshoot with support so there is nothing that can be done.

If I want someone to come out there is a fee which is incredibly frustrating. I feel for the higher cost of Vivint and the fact you can only use their product and it's not compatible with any other system. You are stuck once you sign your contract and they are less than eager to make sure the system is running properly because you are stuck in a contract so they have zero sense of urgency to fix because they will get their money anyways. The fact that you can troubleshoot without being home is difficult because the entire reason we got the system is because we work quite a bit and if we have contractors or something going on at the house we can't physically be there. The response is always, "We are pushing out an update," or, "Sorry if you aren't home. All we can do is reboot the router."

Vivint expert review by Erin Raub

Vivint, formerly APX, has been in business since 1997 and today offers security solutions in approximately 98 percent of the United States and Canada. The company focuses on lifestyle solutions – security for working parents, the elderly, workaholics, etc. – and integrates alarm systems with home automation and energy management.

• Customizable: Vivint offers many plans and options so consumers can customize their system to meet their individual needs. All packages include a touchscreen control panel, mobile access, a security system and alarm monitoring.

• Home automation: Vivint's comprehensive home automation allows for video surveillance, electronic door locks, smart thermostat and other extras that make life easier.

• Portable: Renters, military families and frequent movers will appreciate Vivint's easy relocation options.

• Specials: Vivint regularly offers specials for new customers. Interested consumers can visit the company’s website to see current promotions and special offers.

• Monitoring: While most security systems offer monitoring via landline, Internet and cell service, Vivint only offers cellular monitoring. Cell monitoring remains active even in the event of an Internet or power outage.

• Best for: Homeowners, renters, tech-savvy shoppers and hands-off consumers.

Profile picture of Erin Raub
Erin Raub

Alarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.

Vivint Company Information