Call toll free
3.97/5
Based on 2,347 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Gallery (2)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Vivint offers advanced home security systems and home automation integration with 24/7 monitoring available for a simple monthly fee.

PROS

• Contract-free option available
  • Advanced technology and integrations
  • Fully customizable

CONS

• Professional installation required

Top Vivint Reviews

06/16/2019

Very easy to use and works great. The installation person was very nice and finished in less than 4 hours. They have many different options that you can choose from which makes it very easy to create a package for your home.

06/18/2019

I love the features of the product. I love the fact that it has turned my home into a smart home while keeping it secure. The people are great and willing to help. They worked to install things where I wanted them when others said they couldn't.

Vivint Cost

Vivint pricing starts at $39.99 per month and will rise as you customize your home security package. All packages include the following:

vivint skycontrol panel
Home security system
vivint sky app
24/7 monitoring

Vivint monitoring and packages

Vivint offers home security and home automation packages, including 24/7 monitoring and video surveillance. Vivint’s contract terms range from 42-60 months, but you can avoid a long-term contract altogether if you purchase your equipment up front.

Vivint home security packages

Vivint offers 24/7 monitoring on all of its home security packages. The monitoring department will be able to get you help in an emergency, from break-ins to medical alerts. Vivint has highly customizable packages, but each package starts with the basics: a burglar alarm, smoke detector, water sensor and CO detector. From there, you can choose to add-on more security equipment, including cameras, sensors, smart locks and more.

Vivint home automation packages

Vivint home automation starts with SkyControl Panel, standard on all packages. The SkyControl panel will act as your automation hub, complete with a two-way talk feature to communicate with Vivint’s monitoring center.

The SkyControl Panel’s touch-screen dashboard comes with free professional installation and includes the following features:

• Arm and disarm your system
  • View security camera footage
  • Panic button
  • Adjust thermostats, lighting and appliances
  • Two-way communication
  • Encrypted network
  • Wireless connection
  • Backup battery

You can also choose to run your Vivint home automation through a smart device like Google Home, and easily control features like temperature, lighting and your security system with just your voice.

Vivint equipment

Vivint offers both pre-designed and custom equipment packages. You can add any of the following equipment options to your home alarm or home automation package to design your ideal home security system. Vivint requires professional installation for its equipment, but will generally waive any installation fee.

• SkyControl panel
  • Lamp module
  • Google Home

Home automation equipment

Element Thermostat
Vivint’s smart thermostat has built-in automation to optimize your home for both comfort and energy savings. You can control the device remotely through your phone or with voice control devices like the Amazon Echo. Features include mobile alerts and humidity tracking for optimized air quality, in addition to energy-saving automation features. With the Element thermostat, you can set home and away times to use less energy while you’re out of the house and save big on your bills.
Smart Locks
Lock and unlock your home remotely through Vivint's app, receive alerts and notifications when your door is left unlocked. You can also enter your home with a PIN code, even if you've lost your keys. Your smart home system will disarm your alarm, turn the lights on and adjust your thermostat to your preferred setting upon entering your home.
Garage Door Control
Open and shut your garage door from anywhere with your mobile device. With smart home functionality, you can even receive an alert on your phone when you’ve left your garage door open.
Ping Camera
A ping camera is an indoor camera with two-way talk features that allow you to communicate with your family, even when you're away from home. Ideal for families with children, the ping camera can connect your kids via your phone with one touch and give you a live, visual feed to what’s going on at your house.
Doorbell Camera
Vivint’s doorbell camera features a wide-angle lens, 2-way talk capabilities, night vision and can record video 24/7 for up to 30 days. The doorbell camera integrates with VivintSky, allowing you to unlock your front door, open your garage door or turn on your lights. You’ll get notifications anytime the camera detects a visitor, and smart motion detection will initiate an automatic 30-second smart clip anytime it detects a person is approaching your property.
Philips Hue
Vivint’s smart home lighting, Philips Hue, wirelessly connects for simple mobile or voice light control. You can set custom lighting rules, enabling lights to turn on and off on a schedule, and lighting groups to coordinate floors or other areas of your home. The smart lighting equipment operates with LED bulbs.

Do we recommend Vivint?

Vivint has robust home security and smart home offerings. We like the fully customizable package option, meaning you can get exactly what you want without paying for what you don’t need. Vivint’s systems protect users from intrusion as well as monitoring for catastrophic events like fire, flood and medical emergencies, making it a system anyone would feel secure having.

10728 Vivint Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

The door-to-door salesman from Vivint talked to me and gave us his phone number to be in contact with him. However, we've had some issues and we couldn’t reach him at all. He ignored phone calls and text messages. We finally wound up dealing with the home office, but they also had problems reaching him. There is an account with Vivint for our house in New York and my husband has a house in Florida also with Vivint. We took both policies and we contracted at the same time.

The salesman promised us buybacks, but there was an aggravation trying to get the buyback out of our first company and my husband also had problems trying to get a buyback out of the second company. It took months, which didn’t leave a good taste in our mouths. But once we pushed the salesman out of the loop and dealt with the corporate support, we were able to get things resolved. It wasn't done quickly, but they finally took care of things and it is running smoothly now.

The quality of the system is good, but one of the issues we had with the Florida house was not good. We were in New York on a Saturday night and we got the call at 10:00 that the alarm was triggered. They said it was the motion detector. My neighbor came over and checked it out but didn’t call the police. A week later, we had the same incident. We also had an issue with the garage sensor. We got a phone call and they told us that our garage door was open, although it wasn’t. It was closed. So, we came back down to Florida and Vivint had a technician come to the house.

They wanted to charge us, but we said, “This is ridiculous. You have problems here.” They found out that the motion detector was not even connected in my house. It was somebody else’s house and we were getting the alarms based on the motion detector on somebody else’s home. We were alerted for someone else’s alarm three times. The solution for the garage door was we just had to disconnect the sensor.

In New York, a guy came to the door and said he was the district manager. He told me to call him if there were any problems. He said, “Yeah. Call me. Don’t bother going into the corporate. I'll get there right away. I'm local.” I called him twice because I had issues where the system wasn’t working with my thermostat. The keypad in the house wasn’t connecting with the thermostat. However, there was no way to contact him anymore and again, I had to go back to the corporate office. The system is good when it's working. I love the idea of being able to have the app open and close the doors. I like the touchpad for the door rather than having to use my key. I could have had it with my old company, but I was told that Vivint was gonna be cheaper, but it still remains to be seen because we've just gone through the buyout.

Vivint response

Hey Sandra, thank you for sharing.

We are sorry to hear that you have had a few problems with both of your systems and difficulties getting ahold of our representatives at times. I want to assure you that we are here for you, and we want to make sure all your issues are resolved. If you'd follow the link below, we'd love to talk to you and make sure everything is resolved. We are here for you 24/7.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I used to have Monitronics and when my house got broken into, I came home with my front door wide open. The alarm was going off for about 45 minutes and I think the alarm scared them off but I was very upset that no one notified me that there was a situation. I never got a call from Monitronics and never got a call from the police. Then, two weeks later, one of Vivint’s rep was wandering around the neighborhood, telling me about theirs and they told me that they can replace our system with a better one. After talking with them, they had a pretty good rate. They set me up with a home security system and I have been with them for eight years now.

During the installation, I asked the installation team about different things and they were helpful. They set up a couple of motions sensors and door sensors so if the door is open, it will let me know. They also detect glass breakage if something breaks so they put several motions sensors in. But, they could not help me out with my 20-foot square shipping container that I am using as a workshop. I asked them if there was any way to put a motion sensor. I was told that because it is a metal shipping container, it would block the signal. I also asked them if they can put like a contact system outside of it but they still said no. They would not be able to do it. I told them that if they put a system on the inside, all they need is like a little lead wire off of it for the antenna, drill a small hole through the wall, stick the antenna wire through the wall, then put a little silicon around it. It should go ahead and work for them.

I was told that they will talk to their technical support group and see if that would work. I never heard back from them so I got one building in my property that’s not protected. But I have installed my own security cameras inside and outside to help bolster, that I can bring them up on my phone and see what’s going on if I get an alert. I was originally very satisfied with their service but right now, not so much. I am having problems with my control pad in the house and if I leave the house, it’ll beep once at me. It won’t say whether it’s armed away. I have to reset it, disarm it then rearm it, and then it’ll say, “System armed away”. I also keep getting error messages on one of my key fobs. It says that it’s low in battery so I put new batteries on it but it still says that. I don’t know whether the key fob is going bad or not registering.

When I called Vivint, they told me that our panel is obsolete and when they get someone in the area, they’ll come by and will upgrade our panel. Since then, I haven’t heard back from them. However, when we get to speak to an actual person, it is not too bad. They try to help and they are very courteous and very professional. But I gotta go through several different prompts to get to an actual person on the phone and that could be improved a bit better. They called me a while back though saying they received an alarm when I left the house. I didn’t have my back door secured properly and when we had some strong winds, it blew the door open. I have their phone app on my phone that tells me that the back door is open and that it needs to be checked out.

I was about five minutes away so I went by and the police were just pulling up. They asked me if I wanted them to check the house. I told them I just forgot to shut the door real tight. They came in with me, no one was in the house and nothing was missing. They were prompt in contacting the police and I got a notice almost immediately on my phone. I also received a follow-up phone call from their reps about 30 seconds after I got the phone message. Their service, in that aspect of it, has been good.

Vivint response

John, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to assist you with the concerns that you have. Please Chat in with us 24/7 so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

A Vivint sales rep knocked on my door, and he said they were in the area and looking for new clientele. I told him that I just lost my job and I needed to think long and hard. Also, I have a friend who has the service and I would like to reach out to him for a second opinion before I make a commitment. I told him that if he was interested in my business, he could make plans to come back to my house when it was convenient for me later that day, after I talk to my friend. If not, then he can just be on his way and have a great day. So, he came back. I decided that this was a service that I wanted to go with. He asked me about what my needs were and he was very thorough. So, it was a very positive interaction.

The first installer was a lady who was very pleasant and she asked for permission before cutting into my wall. She asked me where I wanted it. She was very engaging and asked a lot of questions. Then we had to coordinate a follow-up appointment for my smoke detector. I was in the process of working on installing my doorbell and I didn’t exactly get what I wanted but I wasn’t unhappy with what I got. I have a two-story, and they wanted to do one thing, and I wanted to do another. It all centered around my doorbell but I finally said fine.

At the end of July, I had a problem with my equipment. After being on hold for a very long time, I finally got someone. After multiple calls, we couldn’t fix it and the lady said we needed to add something. I told her I didn’t need any more equipment and if we couldn’t get it resolved, then we need to take it out and I need to cancel my service. After three calls, I finally got a guy and he said he needed to push a software update. After they did that, my online cameras still weren’t working. So, I called back and the girl I talked to said that I was gonna need new cameras for upstairs and downstairs. I was going out of town so I would be getting the equipment after I get back.

I was delaying on installing it but in the meantime, I happened to check my bank account and more money than my normal monthly bill came out of my checking account. Vivint billed me without telling me that they were charging me for shipping to mail me the equipment. I told them I didn’t agree to it so they made it right. I wasn’t asking for anything other than for them to remove the charge because I should’ve known about it in the first place and I should not have been billed in the first place for their equipment because they pushed the software update, and it was their equipment. Aside from that, I haven’t had any problems and I love the new cameras that I got. They are great. Vivint has always been good and they were very responsive.

Vivint response

Thanks for the feedback Phylissa! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

The salesman from Vivint was exuberant. He didn’t try to force me into anything but he was very aggressive. He was also knowledgeable. The monitoring feature was the biggest service I included in my package. The installation was prompt and once they got here, it didn’t take them long. My wife and I were gone in the winter so it was kind of nice to have a little bit of security. However, my biggest problem was when we do go south in the winter. If I want to monitor it myself, I need to have an internet connection and I would have to pay for that here while I’m gone, which wasn’t a nice feature and I don’t know what the alternative would be.

My biggest complaint is I had a problem with the battery in the panel. It said it wouldn’t charge. I kind of ignored it for a while and it would kind of come and go. So I finally called them about it and they said they would get a tech out to look at it. They said the battery was under warranty but they would charge me a service call that would be $99. But because it was still new they would make it $35 instead. Then it took them a month or so to get somebody out here.

The closest tech they had is out of Thompson, which seems kind of strange being a small town. He seemed very knowledgeable. But when he checked the panel he said it wasn’t the battery. It was a software problem. He told me that he would replace batteries and check all my sensors while he was here, which he didn’t do. He said he checked them through the panel and they were all working fine.

Also one of the features had changed. When somebody came to the door, it would record it and save it for a period of time. After a certain length of time it’s deleted, unless you promptly save it. I thought that was a nice feature if somebody stole a package on your front door or something like that and now, it had changed to where it didn’t record unless I ring the doorbell. But if it was live, you can watch it live. I asked the tech about that and he said they were having a problem with the sensitivity of the camera, which is adjustable. I had adjusted it to where I wasn’t having that much trouble. A little bit, once in a while, from either too sensitive and too light of a field, and it will pick up the wind blowing, whistles and things like that and see it as somebody approaching.

He adjusted that from the panel and then later on he said just to fix the battery or just to reboot the panel, which is not a big deal but it’s not supposed to be the way it works. Also it turned out that they billed me both the $99 and the $35. By this time I thought they really shouldn’t bill me at all because it wasn’t my problem. It was their bad but I haven’t called them about that. Every time I called them about something, they seem to be very responsive, friendly and cooperative so I expect that to be resolved without any problem. Other than that, the price of monitoring is high compared to others. I haven’t called them yet on that billing but I'm expecting that to be resolved because if it isn’t resolved, it’s gonna be a real sore spot.

Vivint response

George, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to assist you with the concerns that you have. Please feel free to reach out to us at socialcs@vivint.com.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I heard about Vivint offhand on the internet while browsing around. Then, a rep came to my door, which sealed the deal. He took me by surprise, but the more I listened to him, the more I liked the idea of having a smart home. He pitched it in a manner that was attractive. Smart home sounds fancier too and I like to brag about that. The installers were very nice and professional. They took care of my house and didn't damage anything. Plus, they were done within four hours after the sales individual was here. It happened really quickly.

I'm very satisfied with the features and I like the package that I got. I could've opted for more sensors though and I might add them in the future, but I think what I have now is attractive. I have the video doorbell, the smart thermostat, the front and back door sensors, and a smart lock on our front door. I really like the design of the home panel. It's the sensor for the system and it has the screen on there. I like how it tells the weather and how I can change the chimes, the sounds when the doors open and close and the alerts. I also like that I can change the names on the different sensors. I renamed the motion sensor 'The Eye of Sauron' so any time somebody steps within the path, it says, "The Eye of Sauron is active." It's funny.

I like how the smart thermostat raises the temperature when I leave, and then it brings it back down when I come home. I have it set to 72 when I'm here during the day, and then 68 when I'm here at night. It keeps the house nice and cool. However, for some reason, it jumps up from 68 to 72 at 5 am and by the time I wake up, I'm sweating already. I have to wake up and turn the temperature back down, which is a pain in the ass. I'd like for it to stay 68 for a bit longer. It's supposed to be able to predict your usage and adjust it to what you like. Maybe the smart thermostat could be a little bit smarter.

Since the box can already make noise and port the audio from outside the door inside, making it able to play normal music would be cool. Also, if there was a software update where I could download my own chimes or access them from an online database, that would be cool too. There are 16 choices and some of them were cool and some were dull. It'd be nice to get a few more options. Vivint's package is very well-designed. Plus, I haven't had any buyer's remorse with it, which is rare. I'm pleased with it.

Vivint response

Thomas, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us so far. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: July 23, 2019

Getting this home security system was something I have always wanted and needed. I have to use the analogy of a “colony of bees” with Franco ** being the “king” bee! Franco was very professional and knew his product well. He sold me on the system. Less than an hour later the “worker-bees” arrived and in less than an hour my system was installed (almost like making the honey!). They all worked as a team, buzzing around my house, even vacuuming their mess before leaving. I think the Vivint security system is just what I needed!

Original review: July 23, 2019

I was very pleased with the whole process start to finish. Everyone was very knowledgeable and efficient. They were done with installation in 2 hours. I will be recommending Vivint to all my friends.

Original review: July 22, 2019

I would recommend Vivint to anyone looking for an affordable and reliable home security system. Any and all questions are answered in a timely manner and very helpful! The customer service team was on point and knew what they were talking about.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Alarm system install very professional and thorough. System is easy to use and the tech was very efficient. App is also helpful and user friendly. So far we are very satisfied with the product and the service. The system test was successful and the tech removed all trash and cleaned areas.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Nick very friendly, very professional, very helpful. I had a few problems with the system. He spent about 1hour and a half and walk me through all my problems. He made sure I was satisfied before he left. He also said if I need anything else don't hesitate to contact him.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Is very good system. I will recommend to a friend thanks. I feel safe now and when leave out of town I don't have to worry anymore. I can see everything on the phone. Thanks Vivint. Keep on doing the good work.

Original review: July 21, 2019

Great service! A neighbor also uses Vivint and loves it, we have them a call and in 15 minutes we got all the information we needed and schedule an installation, which was done the same week! Process was quick and easy! It took us a while to find a security system we liked that also looked good on our wall. The main panel doesn’t look big and bulky or outdated.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I recently had Vivint Home Security installed in my home. The representative that explained the product did an excellent job and answered all my questions. The technician was wonderful to work with and easy to talk to. Both the representative and technician explained how the system worked so I felt confident to use it. I would definitely recommend it if someone is wanting a good home security system.

Original review: July 21, 2019

It's very rare you get a salesman come to your door nowadays. At first we told him no thanks, i.e. we didn't want to waste our time or his BUT I actually knew of the name and we literally were looking for security cameras on Prime Day. So we gave Jonathan a minute of our time and he hooked it up! We are now proud owners of a great full house security system. Can't wait to save up for the automobile feature.

We never secured our home because we thought it would be too much and out of our budget which honestly sounds ridiculous now that I type it out. Of course we should have budgeted it in long ago but Vivint was VERY accommodating and Affordable. I was lucky enough to get the Tech guy to come the same and after a few minutes of signing with the company, my home was fully secure with a really cool 4k cameras, autolock for the front, video doorbell. The whole package. Give these guys a second of your time. You won't regret it.

Original review: July 21, 2019

Amazing experience with the sales rep and tech install. Very happy with the entire process. Eli was phenomenal and great with our dog and everything going on at the time. David the technician was quick efficient and showed us how to use everything and a very friendly guy.

Original review: July 21, 2019

Installer was thorough and professional. Sales process was easy and product is very good. Installer stayed late Into the night to ensure products were installed properly. Didn’t rush. He was great! Seamless integration across products is a plus. We are happy with the process thus far.

Original review: July 21, 2019

The sales rep was very polite professional, informative and answered questions with confidence and accuracy. The installation person was polite, very professional and patient. He worked installing the system for 9 hours not giving up when the system did not link up. He worked all the kinks. When he was done everything worked like expected. He took the time to explain the control panel.

Original review: July 21, 2019

Installation was quick and painless, the rep was very knowledgeable and friendly. The system itself is very user friendly, we couldn’t be happier with our purchase! Everyone from the Vivint team was professional and courteous, would definitely recommend to anyone wanting home security.

Original review: July 20, 2019

Spencer ** was great. Presented everything clearly and concisely. Even stayed later than typically done to ensure paperwork was all complete and correct. Installation was quick and professional even though modifications hade to be made to existing equipment.

Original review: July 20, 2019

As new homeowners we’ve always known we wanted a security system but hadn’t Found one that was affordable nor had we really got around to looking too closely. I travel because of the Navy and my wife wanted to feel secure when I’m gone so when Brian knocked on my door, I decided to listen to his pitch. The promotion is really good and we got the full security system, fire safety, carbon monoxide safety, doorbell camera and driveway camera. The car guard theft detection and safety alerts are a great product also. Bryan made it work for our budget and was not pushy like most sales people lol. Text him if interested @ **.

Original review: July 20, 2019

We were able to choose the features and services that best suited our lifestyle. No pressure sales approach and quick, professional installation. We had the doorbell camera installed as well as a camera in the backyard to keep an eye on the area. We also had the carbon monoxide and fire protection installed.

Original review: July 20, 2019

My cameras have been the only issues so far as they go offline so often and stay offline but everything else is great. If the cameras were not offline the whole time then the whole experience would have been great.

Original review: July 20, 2019

Both the salesman and installer were professional and friendly. Everything was explained clearly and they answered all of my questions. They worked with me on pricing and it was an amazing experience. I would highly recommend the product and the staff from my experience with them.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I am completely satisfied with the salesman and technician who installed the alarm. They were very professional and did a good job in explaining how the system works. I would highly recommend the installation of this system to anyone. I am proud to have such an outstanding company secure my home.

Original review: July 19, 2019

We are very happy with the sales rep and installer. We would recommend these wonderful people and the product they represent to anyone. Alyssa, our sales rep, Leo, a new rep in training were very professional. Brad, our installer, was very efficient and knowledgeable.

Original review: July 19, 2019

We had an awesome experience with Vivint sales rep and installation no issues at all. I don’t have any constructive criticism to add to possibly even help because of how awesome everyone was thanks for the honesty and easy process with Vivint!

Original review: July 19, 2019

Thank you! He was helpful, friendly and fast. I was able to get it all situated in one afternoon. I now feel safer in my home because of Vivint and this man's help. Thank you again for helping my son and I!

Original review: July 18, 2019

The service was very good, Luis teach me everything about the system, he was very clear and patient. The equipment was very good quality and the price is perfect. I will totally recommend this service. He take the time to install everything the way I like it, we test everything and he show me step by step how to use the equipment. He was very kind and professional. A friend of mine recommend me this service and I will recommend it too.

Original review: July 18, 2019

Tech was very knowledgable with good customer service skills... His name was Wes.. Explained everything in detail... I was very appreciative of that... His patience played a very good role in customer satisfaction... Will recommend your firm... Thank you.. Salyss

Original review: July 18, 2019

After doing hours of research, I kept coming back to Vivint. I first spoke with Brandon to review my home security needs. He went over everything with me in detail to make sure I was comfortable and confident in my decisions for home security coverage and devices. Scheduling the installation was so easy, and Vivint was able to accommodate my schedule and send someone out to install quickly. My installer Robert was absolutely FANTASTIC. He made the process so simple and did an amazing job with the installation. He was very respectful and courteous. He spent time with us to make sure we were comfortable with the locations of the control panel and the devices. We could not have had a more pleasant experience. Thank you, Vivint!

Vivint Company Information