Call toll free
3.98/5
Based on 2,999 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Gallery (2)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

9801 Vivint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We took over an existing contract. Christian was very helpful and thorough. He answered all of my questions and went above and beyond in helping us get our account and home set up! He showed me how to use all of the equipment and made sure I understood how to use the app! 10/10!

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

System works beautifully but I am concern with the fees. When I visited Sam I was told by the rep that no monitoring was required. Now there's monitoring and equipment insurance. I don't want insurance on my equipment. My next payment is $40 something and I still have to pay Guardian $37.88 monthly. Review my account. Your product is great but too expensive for a retiree.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have had multiple issues of being told one thing by an agent then when you call back it is something completely different. I had one customer rep that refused to transfer my call to a supervisor or even another rep and flat lied about knowing who was in charge or on duty as was confirmed when I called back and got another rep on the line. They never disclosed during the sale, install or cancellation of monitoring that this includes the mobile app functionality and could not provide any documentation where that is stated so.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

The service on the phone and customer care during the installation was great! We had called about a year ago and did not meet a happy representative, but this time was a complete difference and one that we enjoyed and would recommend.

Vivint response

Thanks for sharing Leon! We are thrilled you experienced great customer service. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Matt was great, no issues. System is up and running. He was informative and knowledgeable about the product. I would recommend the Vivint security package to friends and might even explore more products in the future. I really like the user face with the phone app as well. Thanks!

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing Max! We are thrilled you love your Vivint Smart Home System and experienced great customer service! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Both guys were very professional. Salesman was very informative. He did not push me into a sale. Installer was also informative on how to use the equipment. I would refer my friends and neighbors to this product. The whole job went smooth and easy.

Vivint response

Thanks for sharing Rebecca! We are thrilled you experienced great customer service. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Working with what I will consider the luxury provider in Smart Home! From the phone call to the install I was over satisfied with this company. Stuart was clear in showing me operations of the system. He also provided me with information on upgrades and capabilities for the future.

Vivint response

Thank you for your feedback Kirk. We love to hear how Vivint has helped to improve your life. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and your family.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have a negative experience with this company. At the same time my experience can also be called ridiculous and incongruous. I cannot get my refund 1 month despite number of verbal and writing promises made by number of Vivint associates. I first planned to install their system last December. The installation was scheduled to January 4, 2019 and deposit of $45 plus change was paid via my credit card in mid-December last year.

Due to some circumstances including negative reviews about Vivint found in the Internet, I decided to cancel the installation December 20, 2018 via both email and phone. I also asked for refund. The cancellation and intention to refund were confirmed during the phone conversation on December 21, 2018. January 3, 2019 Vivint suddenly informed me that the installation still appeared to be scheduled for the next day. I called Vivint again and spoke to particular person and she also sent me email-confirmation dated January 3rd, 2019, saying "Your refund will be there in about 3 to 5 business days if it isn’t there within the 5th business day then go ahead and give us a call at 385-219-3145 and we will see what we can do." Obviously, no one even tried to send me refund since December 21, when the intention to refund was declared. I‘d like to know why they did not, but, probably, I will never get an answer to this question.

Today is January the 20th and still no refund received. When I called their customer service again the rep said that they sent me the cheque and it will take up to 20 days to receive it. I asked the rep why the refund cannot be done using credit card and why it takes so long. She could not answer by herself and put me on hold while getting the information from another department.

After she was back the answers were the following: they do not have my credit card number - only last digits, 20 days because the cheque is sent from Utah office. Who knows how the payment processing system works probably would laugh, while I’m wondering if that person said she can see only last digits really thinks that what she can see on display and data stored in the system are the same. Who knows where Utah is probably would laugh too – as I remember it is still in North America but not in Antarktida. To deliver standard mail from US to Canada takes 4-7 days (I double checked). Probably even post pigeon would be arriving faster than 20 days.

They took my money much faster they give it back. Why the person I spoke with on January 3rd misinformed me about the refund terms? By the way, I wrote her again and she responded me today with “Looks like the refund was process on our end on the 3rd of January. I would contact your Bank to see why it has not been deposited in to your account.”

After I asked to verify details of how it was sent she responded “We sent it over to your Bank on the 3rd of January. They can hold it for an addition 7 to 10 business days before depositing it into your account.” Mentioning deposit to the bank means every department in this company has its own point of view how refund process should look like besides the only obvious one that is stored in the system under ‘payment method’ since the moment my payment was received. Usually the refund is made the same way the payment was received, so credit card payment should be refunded back to the same credit card – it’s also faster. I think for business that works in the security domain it should be more organized more responsible and accurate in terms of customer service and connection between departments. Being disappointed with how the case was handled I’m very glad for being saved from becoming their customer.

Michael,

We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience with our company in regard to receiving a refund in a timely manner.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Ricky ** was our Technician, He installed All our Equipment that is listed and did a Marvelous job of it. He explained all that he was going to do step by step asked permission before continuing. He is very knowledgeable and meticulous. He is very through and cleaned up after each install. When he completed all Installation, He taught me all I need to know and More answered every question to the "T"!! My wife arrived, and He took the time to instruct Her and answered all Her Questions as He did Me! Ricky Is worth his Weight in Gold! Your company Can Be Very Proud and Trusting In This Young Man. A Very Valued Employee!! Thanks for sending Ricky **.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing Harold & Jeanne! We are thrilled that you love your Vivint Smart Home System and experienced great customer service from Ricky! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

We changed our home security to Vivint from another company. We find the Vivint security system to be far more superior, the security cameras provide a superior picture and have been functioning perfectly, instead of being offline all of the time like our old camera system. The installer was superior in his quality of work and the speed by which he complete the installation.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing, Thomas & Valerie! We are thrilled that you love your Vivint Smart Home System and experienced great customer service from your installer! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Perfect experience from ordering to installation and running the system daily. Even my kids know how to run it. Since installation, we have been sleeping more confident and secure as prior we had some attempts of forced entry.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing Marwan! We are thrilled you love your Vivint Smart Home System and experienced great customer service! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Once you know you have a strong enough network, whether it is your smartphone to answer the doorbell from any location you are, or contacting emergency professionals; life becomes more comfortable. We love our full house system, that can also be equipped with more technology that helps your life become easier.

Vivint response

Thanks for sharing Dean! We love to hear how Vivint has helped to improve your life.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

The gentleman that installed our equipment was very knowledgeable and a professional at his job. Thank you. I would recommend this service to another friend or family member. We have security 380 degrees around our home and we feel very safe.

Vivint response

Thanks for sharing Simon! We are thrilled you experienced great customer service. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My panel won't connect to the sky. I have no phone control, app not working. After already replacing the panel, security system not working. Installed the beginning of this January 2019. Not satisfied. I have let the technician know that it isn't working. He is awesome... The equipment is completely faulty.

Nick,

We are sorry to hear you are having issues with your panel connection, and that your app is not working correctly.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

From the very start I had issues with my system. Had freezes ups all the time. Had to have a new panel put in. It was having technicians always at my house. I was at my Mothers bedside while she was dying, my wife left work to come be there, but she had to go home to unarm the system because of a false alarm. It was the last straw. I CANCELED MY SERVICE. IF YOU GET ANY ALARM SERVICE MAKE SURE YOU READ THE FINE PRINT.

Vivint response

We don't like to hear that you are frustrated and didn't receive excellent customer service. We would be happy to assist you with the concerns that you have and make sure your account can be cancelled. Please Chat in with us 24/7 so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Curtis was on time, friendly, professional and did a great job overall. He answered all of my questions and showed me how to operate the new system. He was also very clear with the paperwork. I would definitely recommend Curtis/Vivint!

Vivint response

Thanks for sharing Monique! We are thrilled you experienced great customer service. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I'll try to keep it short. I ordered a system. It was scheduled to be installed a week later. I had to postpone the installation. Installer called me and said I would receive a pin for a survey. It meant nothing and he would take care of it. The next day I got an email thanking me for filling out the survey and welcoming me to Smart Home. The survey said the install went perfect and the installer did an excellent job. When I called him, he said it meant nothing, he had to close out the order to move on. Then the emails came showing the first payment was taken from my credit card.

When I called customer service, they didn't believe me and had to send someone out to verify there was no equipment in my house. They were going to send the same installer that lied about the install to verify he didn't do the install. Finally a regional manager called and took care of it. He asked if a few months of free service would make up for it. No your people are dishonest. Not what I would call trusting.

Vivint response

We're very sorry to hear about this and your negative experiences. We will use this to better our services and products. Meanwhile if you have any other questions or issues, please feel free to chat us online 24/7.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We removed Vivint within the week. From installation to the equipment not working properly. It was all an unpleasant experience. Customer service was excellent in trying to help. Some of the technicians definitely need retraining. I would not recommend Vivint in the future unfortunately.

Vivint response

We're sorry to hear about your negative experiences and thank you for your feedback. We will use this to better our services and product. If you have any other questions, please feel free to chat in at any time.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We wanted to have a cam in and out of the house so when we travel, we can check on the house and security. All the companies didn’t offer the same thing, which made us go with Vivint. Everything went smoothly with the interactions with the rep. However, the thing they gave us keeps telling us that somebody is in the front yard, the back yard, or inside, but there’s no one there. The system is too sensitive. I called a couple of times. They fixed that and it got better. Then last night, the issue went back and did the same thing. It was a little disappointment. When I called, they told me I had to pay a service charge. I don’t understand how they want me to pay for a problem that comes from the equipment. The system's quality is okay except it’s two or three seconds behind. Plus, there’s no live.

Lester,

We are sorry to hear you are having issues with your camera sensitivity, and that your experience with our customer support was disappointing.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Everyone involved in the install and sell of the system were friendly, knowledgeable and fast. They worked with me to tailor the system to my needs and helped me use existing equipment that was already installed in my home. I would recommend Vivint to others.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing, Robert! We are thrilled that you love your Vivint Smart Home System and experienced great customer service from your sales representative and installation team! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Everyone was great, respectful, it seems that you could trust them. Graig and the installment guy were very professional. The installation was clean and neat, no mess, thank you for that. I totally recommend them to family and friends.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing, Pamela! We are thrilled that you experienced great customer service from your installation technician and Graig! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Luis was very knowledgeable and professional. I highly recommend him for future Installations for my friends and family. The system works exactly as we want it to work and we are having fun learning about the new features. The best part of the system is the multiple functions of the alarm panel.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing, DeShawn! We are thrilled that you love your Vivint Smart Home System, that it is working as you are needing it to, and that you experienced great customer service from Luis! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

From the begin to the end was really smooth and explain quite well and the service was fast and great. Answered all the questions I had to ask with no hesitation and more. The equipment is very easy to use and secures the house and family from a lot.

Vivint response

Thanks for the feedback, Kishawn! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences. We are thrilled that you received great customer service! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Installation went great, having no problems with system but would like it if all the emails trying to get me to buy the system would stop. I get at least two emails a day and have not been able to get them to stop.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing, Sharon! We are thrilled that you are not experiencing any issues with your Vivint Smart Home System and that your installation went smoothly!

You should be able to press an "unsubscribe" button at the bottom of the emails that you are receiving. If you continue to have concerns with receiving those emails, please Chat with us so that we can ensure that you are taken care of.

Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I am so excited to have a modernized system in my home. The options are remarkable and I have everything I need in one system, even the garage door opener and the voice when a door opens is excellent. The sales staff and installation team have been awesome! We are getting so much more for our money with this system. I am happy to have this new system. I feel safer already.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing, Catherine! We are thrilled that you love your Vivint Smart Home System and experienced great customer service from your sales staff and installation team! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Great people to work with. Good deal with no upfront cost. Wouldn’t have bought it without the deal and well worth it so far. Easy to use. Would definitely recommend it to a friend. Nothing but great things to say about the sales staff and installing team. Couldn’t have been nicer.

Vivint response

Thank you for your feedback, Robert! We are very happy that you are enjoying your Vivint Smart Home System and had a good experience with our representatives! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

The technician arrived on time. He was very friendly and knowledgeable. He set up the system then taught me how to use it. He was very patient and showed me and then had me perform the functions so he knew that I knew how to do them.

Vivint response

Thanks for the feedback, Karyl! We love that you had a wonderful experience with your technician and that they were able to teach you how to use the system! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

The installer was courteous and extremely helpful. He went out of his way way to help me and was very knowledgeable. I especially enjoy the feature with the two-way camera that I can watch my home from anywhere I am. I intend on adding more features soon.

Vivint response

Thank you for sharing, Kelsie! We are thrilled that you love your Vivint Smart Home System's two-way camera and experienced great customer service from your installation technician! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Where do I begin? My experience with Vivint has been shockingly terrible. I was so excited when I purchased my first home and got my Vivint system installed. I loved the idea of being connected and all of the “smart” features. Unfortunately, I had a scary stalker situation and my system was hacked multiple times, to the point the panel became inaccessible. This person was getting into my home when I was gone with no notifications and without setting off the alarm. Every tech (all the techs have actually been excellent) who came out said the code had been changed, so they were unable to access the panel.

A couple months ago, I was ** in my home by the stalker. The police questioned the security system, and I explained the situation. They were very upset by the fact I was paying $70 a month for a couple years for something that wasn’t working. I told them there wasn’t much I could do because I signed a contract. They suggested legal action, but I didn’t want to deal with that in my frame of mind, so I tried to work things out.

I called another tech out. He spent 4+ hours fixing everything. At first, he was a little skeptical when I explained how the system had been hacked. However, once he got into the panel he realized something was very wrong. He also helped me called my ISP to get my IP address changed and to get everything reset, as the stalker had apparently blocked the port allowing VPN. The tech was very apologetic and said if I called customer service, I could get a refund on at least part of the months during which my service didn’t work.

When I called Vivint CS, I was transferred multiple times. I finally spoke to a man who offered to lower my bill by $10 a month for my troubles. This obviously wasn’t great, but spending $60 a month for paperweights (my term for the useless equipment) is better than $70, right? He told me he’d just need a verbal yes after he read an agreement, during which I realized he was trying to sign me up for another YEAR!! After I told this man I’d been sexually assaulted in my home and the police were involved and how the system has NEVER worked, he tried to make me pay MORE MONEY in the long run for something that is absolutely useless to me.

After I told this person, “no, I’m not interested in paying you another $720”, he quickly dismissed me and transferred me again. The next woman I spoke with told me the tech must have misspoken because they don’t give refunds unless someone has called in a lot. She said “you have called in a good amount of times so we could probably give you half off of one month, but I’ll get in touch with the tech and email you.” I never got any email follow up. She also requested for the detective to contact Vivint regarding my case. I told her I could have them do that, but because they are extremely busy and it’s not really their job to do that, was there a more direct line? She said yes, and proceeded to give me the exact same generic number I just called.

I’m at a loss now. I don’t know what to do. I have the police report from the assault, I have proof this individual was getting into my home when it was armed. I tried to deal with this in a decent way, but it’s insulting to watch my hard earned dollars flushed down the drain each month. In no way am I getting the service I signed up for.

Katherine,

We are sorry to hear about the issues that you have had regarding your system being hacked, and the way that it has been handled up to this point.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I was at Best Buys and I saw Vivint's product. I talked to the sales rep there and I ended up signing up. Their installer did a good job. The installation took a lot longer than he had anticipated but he was friendly and he knew what he was doing. He got everything hooked up and functioning, then he showed me how to operate and program the system. I also called Vivint and their reps walked me through the different ways of setting up the system and resetting when I need to. They seemed to be knowledgeable and very easy to communicate with.

So far, I have a little bit of a problem with one of my cameras as there’s a little bit of a distance from the control panel. But the bigger problem is not really with Vivint. It’s with my wireless internet company where I keep losing the signal and I have to reset everything. So I’ve got one camera that’s not functioning right now and the part that records the thing is not functioning, too. I’ve got to call them and get them out to reassess that. Otherwise, the camera seemed to work and the system works well, too.

Vivint response

Thanks for the feedback Manuel! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Vivint expert review by Ben Mannes

Get state of the art home security and automation. Choose from 3 packages for $39.99-$59.99 a month. Contracts are 42+ months, with professionally installed systems and optional warranties. Company focuses on lifestyle solutions and integrates alarm systems with home automation and energy management.

• Customizable: Vivint offers many plans and options so consumers can customize their system to meet their individual needs. All packages include a touchscreen control panel, mobile access, a security system and alarm monitoring.

• Home automation: Vivint's comprehensive home automation allows for video surveillance, electronic door locks, smart thermostat and other extras that make life easier.

• Portable: Renters, military families and frequent movers will appreciate Vivint's easy relocation options.

• Specials: Vivint regularly offers specials for new customers. Interested consumers can visit the company’s website to see current promotions and special offers.

• Monitoring: While most security systems offer monitoring via landline, Internet and cell service, Vivint only offers cellular monitoring. Cell monitoring remains active even in the event of an Internet or power outage.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Vivint Company Information