Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars11%
  • 3 stars4%
  • 2 stars2%
  • 1 stars7%

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint

Stephanie, thanks for your feedback! The door locks are a great feature and we're so glad you're liking them. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: March 5, 2016

When I got the system installed yesterday, the only question I had was "why didn't I get this sooner?" Being able to monitor and lock and unlock my door from my cell phone is amazing.

I heard about Vivint from one of my buddies. I got two window breaks, the doorbell camera and a smoke detector form them. The sales rep was really helpful, and the installation guy was good. There were no problems. It was a great experience with Vivint, and I've already recommended them to a few people.

I have Vivint's doorbell camera and thermostat. I really liked the sales representative, and the installation team was really good. My doorbell isn't working currently, but everything else works good. I would recommend it to anybody.

Vivint

Renee, if you contact us at www.vivint.com/contact-support, we'll gladly assist you further. Thanks for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

On the app on my phone the cameras are really slow, it takes forever for the camera to load to answer the front door. So I can't answer the front door from my phone when I'm away.

Vivint

LaShaunda, we will gladly assist you with those frustrating issues. Please contact us at socialcs@vivint.com at your earliest convenience, and we'll review your account. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

This has been nothing but a headache from day one! Not even my 1st bill is accurate. I haven't had the service 30 days but now I'm stuck with no resolution to my problems. I have no issues with the reps that answers the call, they are polite and do the best they can I guess. I hate I'm locked in to this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

A Vivint salesman came to the house. He answered all our questions and I enjoyed talking to him. He wasn't pushing anything on us. I ended up getting their service package which includes the doorbell and video as well as motion detectors on my doors and windows. The team who came to install the system were in and out. We enjoy Vivint's service, and would recommend them.

Vivint

That would be frustrating, Lawrence. If you call 1.800.216.5232 and say "Amazon Echo" when prompted, one of our 24/7 specialists will gladly assist you further. Thanks for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

Echo doesn't arm system now. I changed my internet service on the 19th and now echo won't arm system. I did change the settings to the new internet setup and echo recognizes it but won't arm the system, when asked to do so. Echo did arm the system when first installed before technician left. But doesn't now.

Vivint

Johnny, thank you for your feedback! We're so glad to hear you're liking your system and that everything is going well. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

I'd be glad to recommend Vivint to a friend because it's a good system to have at your home. If you have kids at home, you can watch them at all times. I'm very pleased with Vivint. The sales rep was really good. He explained to us how everything worked and all that good stuff and about the billing and the deal. The installation was all right as well.

Vivint

Aaron, thank you for your feedback! It's good to hear that our representative was professional, honest and able to assist you. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2016

A guy from Vivint came to my house and asked if I needed a security system. He was upfront, and broke everything down so that I could fully understand what he was talking about. It was a good experience figuring out how to actually run my system, which includes the panel lock on the door, smoke detector, ice detector, and glass break.

Vivint

That would definitely be frustrating, Anthony. For further assistance, please call one of our Slams professionals at 1.800.216.5232 and say "Slams" when prompted to do so. They're available from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. MST Monday through Friday and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. MST on Saturdays.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Was informed by rep salesman Nick ** that I would receive a $847 reimbursement check for cancellation with previous alarm company. However I have yet to receive anything.

Vivint

Davesha, we appreciate the feedback. We will use your comments to look at the products we offer. Thanks for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I was satisfied overall with the experience, but more options are needed for customers who are pet owners. I wanted the motion detector, but had issues with it after my cat would set the sensor off when jumping on or off the couch. With our previous alarm service, I never had this issue. We had to end up removing the motion sensor. If this could be regulated so as not to pick up under a certain weight, I'd be totally satisfied.

Vivint

Thanks for the positive feedback, Spencer, and thanks for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

We love having a system. We got the doorbell camera and can check anytime someone comes to the door. I can unlock and lock my front door from my phone to let the neighbor in. We are enjoying it!!

Vivint

Anna, thank you for your feedback! We strive to provide excellent customer service, and it's great to hear that our professionals have been able to assist you. We appreciate you working with us to resolve your concerns. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

When problems arise Vivint is very willing to correct it. We had some problems with the first install, with some of the door sensors not working properly, so a second technician had to me back out. But since then, they’re very willing and cooperative. We have had some issues with our phones connecting up with them but they've been resolved. When we couldn't hook up with our cellphones, they helped us and they walk me through everything. They put your panel in test mode so that you don't notify the police. But one time, a technician was out here and he thought he had put the thing in test mode and he didn't and it activated a silent alarm. The next thing we knew there were police outside. So it does work very well and it wasn't very long apparently before he had activated it that they showed up.

The only thing is when signing up, we got some of the stuff free but we had to sign a two-year contract. But the sales rep on the telephone didn't explain to us that it’s based on a point system and each item is valued at a certain point. Once I hit 14 points, then I have to start buying their items. When the installer came, he came up to us and said, "Well, you owe us this much more." I said, "Why? They didn't tell us we owed them anything." So he explained it to us and we said okay. It would have been better if it had been explained to us at the beginning. Apart from that, I'd recommend Vivint to a friend.

Vivint

Roy, we don't like to hear that there's some confusion. We're happy to take a look at your account and see what we can do. Please email socialcs@vivint.com so we can assist you further. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I called to have the services installed and I thought all would be great when we finished the call... Not so much. The sales rep told me that devices from my old system would work fine, so that left me not needing to buy a bunch of extra stuff. When the tech got here, he informed me that the cameras would not work so that left me only having the doorbell camera... Then we get to the sensors, same story, those would not work and I had to get theirs. They gave them free, but the catch, 24 month contract is now 36.

I called and asked for an outdoor camera in addition to the doorbell camera and explained my situation. The sales rep informed, "sorry for the trouble, we will provide you one for free and no charges would be associated." The day of the tech visit comes and the tech says, "I have an indoor camera for you, not an outdoor..." I ended up being charged for them coming to install the camera and I am still trying to get other stuff worked out. I will give them this. The system works well so far, has some cool automation and their customer service is decent. I work in a call center and do QA so I have high expectations when it comes to how a customer is treated over the phone.

Vivint

Thanks for the positive feedback, Francisco, and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

My daughter installed Vivint, then told me about it. I already had an alarm, but I used to work for the feds before, so I like my place safe. I wanted to have cameras, alarms, and everything. It's been okay. However, sometimes I try to get in the phone so I could do everything through the phone, and it takes a long time. It doesn't want to come up. Also, it's one of the most expensive security systems. I found another one that offers the same thing they do, for way less, but I have to stick to my contract. Other than these, I've had no trouble with Vivint. I would tell friends that they will have to pay a little bit more, but would recommend it to them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Sept. 27, 2016

I will say after talking to several people about my on going issues, I got to speak with Kayla she is the first person who I didn't want to strangle while and after talking to! She listened and didn't just make up an answer she actually told me exactly what was going on and if she didn't know the reason she didn't make it up! As of right now, I think we have a resolution and keeping my fingers crossed this is the last issue! I am going to update my star listing solely based on the fact that Kayla was so helpful! Fingers crossed!

Vivint

Melissa, we don't like to hear that you're upset. We're happy to take a look at your bill with you. Please email socialcs@vivint.com so we can assist you further. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

I have had Vivint since January 2016 and from my first bill it has been billing hell!! I would not wish this nightmare on anyone not even my worst enemy! I am contacting my attorney to get me out of this contract asap. I feel that I live up to my end of the contract by having my bill drafted every month and with that said I think they should live up to theirs and bill me the proper amount every time. I call and ask why I'm being drafted almost double and everyone I talk to has a different reason. This has been an absolute nightmare that needs to end so I can get my home security with a trustworthy company!! And don't get me started on smoke detector installation... Needless to say I would never ever suggest anyone deal with this mess.

Factual basis uncertain

Someone shared about Vivint to me so I called in for the internet and the experience overall was good. The download consistency is a problem but I'm satisfied with the service.

Vivint

Michael, thanks for your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your Vivint system and services. It's great to hear that the sales rep was able to assist you with setting up a system that best fits your home and needs. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

We've got the break glass thing, motion sensors, doorbell camera, touch screen keypad, regular secondary keypad, and window sensors from Vivint. So far it's been good and I have no complaints. They're better than ADT. The sales rep did what they said they were gonna do and it was all good. The installation took a while but went pretty smoothly. They've been a good company to work with.

Vivint

Blake, most credit disputes can take up to 6-8 weeks to fully process and be removed. If you would like us to review your account please email us more information at, socialcs@vivint.com. Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Vivint accessed my Equifax credit report without my authorization. A Vivint representative admitted the access was unauthorized, but the company has not removed this information from my credit report despite repeated assurances to the contrary. I spoke with a representative from Vivint about setting up an alarm evaluation on my house. I provided the company with personal information to set up an account, but explicitly said that I did not authorize the company to pull my credit report because I was in the middle of a mortgage application. I was promised that the report would not be accessed.

Three days later I received a notification that my credit report was pulled. I spoke with the sales rep at Vivint who confirmed that the report should not have been pulled, and I was given a copy of a letter that Vivint claimed to have sent to Equifax requesting the removal of the inquiry. I spoke with Equifax several weeks later and was told nothing had been received. I disputed the report with Equifax who told me that they only record the access, and that I needed to speak with Vivint. I contacted Vivint again and was told the information was resent electronically. I again contacted Equifax who confirmed that Vivint had not requested the removal of this inquiry. I have been trying to get in touch with Vivint since then but my calls and emails have been ignored.

Vivint

It sounds like you've had a frustrating experience, Stephanie. If you email us with more details about the situation at socialcs@vivint.com, we'll gladly take care of you. Thanks for choosing Vivint Smart Home

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

First of all, I am currently at home waiting for the installer to come install my outdoor cameras. This is the third attempt and each previous attempt the installer no showed without letting me know what was going on. He said it was due to the product being out of stock. However, a phone call would have been nice instead of me just waiting at home for an installer that would never show up. Secondly, the doorbell camera has too much of a delay to be practical. For example, we have had a guest ring the doorbell, I have answered the door - I saw them through the front window, they have entered the house and walked into the kitchen before we heard the doorbell through the main console.

Thirdly, our sales rep wasn't clear on what we would be receiving for our monthly payment. We thought we would be getting an additional device which apparently costs more than what he quoted us. Fourthly, it has been a month since we first talked with our sales rep and we have paid a full month's fee however, we still don't have all of our devices installed.

Vivint

Scott, thanks for your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your Vivint system and services. It's great to hear that when you have needed to move your system that our representatives were so helpful with making that happen. We strive to offer the best possible serves to our customers and love to hear that this is what you have received! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

We got Vivint's thermostat and the standard security package, and I'm very satisfied with them. We've moved a couple of times and their reps have always done very well in accommodating us. Our experience has always been positive and they always have friendly customer service.

Vivint

Thanks for your feedback, Brian! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your Vivint system and services. It's great to hear that everything went well with your installation and our reps were able to assist you in setting up a system that best fit your home and needs. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Vivint was referred by a family member. I have the camera and a light switch included in my service package. I didn't like the final outcome dealing with their sales rep but their installation team is fine.

Vivint

Helen, thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us and that you're liking your system! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I was extremely skeptical at first to talk to the young men. But I asked for their badges and they were in Vivint uniform, so I let them come in. I already had a security system but was willing to listen. Very knowledgeable and very courteous men. After 45 minutes of an oral presentation and verbal instructions and information I was completely convinced about the company and the upgrade to their system. Good decision.

Vivint

Brad, thanks for your feedback! We are so happy to hear that everything went well with your system installation, and that you installer was able to set up a system that best fits your home and needs. We strive to offer the best possible service to our customers and love hearing that this is what you have received from our Customer Care team. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

We very much like the system and what it has to offer. The installation guy that did our house was awesome! He was very professional in his interactions and even did things such as step around the corner while we programmed our security code so that he didn't see it. He was also very thorough in walking us through how to use the system. We have had a couple issues with the panel and it freezing up when trying to look through security clips but the customer service people were great to help us troubleshoot. The only negative is really the sales aspect. The agent was super pushy and honestly, if we hadn't already been shopping for a system I would have asked him to leave 5 minutes into his speech. He pretty much starts signing you up before you realize what is even going on.

We have heard from numerous neighbors that they were going to turn him in to the city because he was so pushy, came to the homes late in the evening, and made them feel pressured. We also found out from friends who got the system from another agent that their agent waived (or paid himself) the installation fee, when we asked our agent he pretty much told us that wasn't an option with him and they just got lucky. Kind of left a bad taste in our mouth for the sales aspect of your company.

Vivint

Andy, thanks for your feedback! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying your Vivint system and services. It's great to hear that Nate was able to do a walk through with you and determine which devices would best fit your home and needs. It's great to hear that everything went well with your installation and that the installers were able to complete the job quickly and efficiently. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

It was fate! I was just heading out the door to take the dog for a walk and there was Nate standing at the entrance asking me if I had a moment to talk about home security. We had just moved in a short time ago and I'd spent the past few weeks sourcing out a company. Actually, Vivint was one of the top 3 I was looking at as I had heard about them through social media. I was most interested in what he had to share with me and I thoroughly enjoyed his presentation.

After about 30 minutes of conversation and walking around the house, I was sold! He had his team of techs at my home in minutes, not 1 guy, not 2 but 3 techs were here for a very quick and efficient install. All told, from start to finish, the experience was most excellent. I love the product, it's easy to use and I can leave my house in the morning knowing that everyone and everything is safe and sound. Thank you Nate and Garret (sorry, I can't remember the other two names)! A job well done.

Vivint

Don, thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us and that you're liking your system! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Vivint is offered by the company that I am with so I'd gone ahead and purchased the monthly service. I got the package with the doorbell and indoor cameras. I like it, but I was not aware that there's a $25 a year fee that we have to pay to the police department for false calls. Other than that, it's good.

Vivint

Thanks for the feedback, Morrissey, and thanks for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

My package with Vivint includes a camera and a doorbell. These features are fantastic and I'm loving my Vivint. Their installation team was really great, too.

Vivint

Ramon, thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your willingness to work with us, and we're glad we were able to help resolve your concerns. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Initially I wasn't happy about having to pay $49 to get a technician out to install the new keypad as the original was malfunctioning, or free shipping and I would be installing it. After explaining my concern they waived the fee and had a technician the following day come by and replace the malfunctioning keypad.

Vivint

Monica, thank you for your feedback! We hope you're liking your system. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Our home insurance costs did not go down nearly as much as we hoped it would with the new security system - it dropped only $14 per year. We got the system anticipating the ins. savings would help offset the costs - call your ins. co. first!

Vivint

Thank you for the positive feedback, Laura, and thank you for selecting Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Vivint is the only alarm company I will trust to protect me and my property. They are reliable and readily available in an emergency. I know I can count them to help when necessary. The rate for the service is very good. It's worth every penny. Consider Vivint to protect you and your property. You won't be disappointed.

Expert Review

Erin RaubAlarm & Security Systems Contributing Editor

Erin Raub is a freelance writer, content marketer and blogger. She writes about home security and family safety, as well as digital marketing and business. Erin is also an experienced travel writer, and knows having a trustworthy security system can make any time away from home even more enjoyable.    More about Erin→

Vivint, formerly APX, was founded in 1997 and today offers security solutions in approximately 98% of the United States and Canada. The company focuses on lifestyle solutions – security for working parents, the elderly, workaholics, etc. – and integrates alarms systems with home automation and energy management.

• Lifetime warranty: As long as you're under contract with Vivint, your professionally-installed home security system is covered by a robust lifetime warranty.
  • Home automation: Vivint's comprehensive home automation allows for video surveillance, electronic door locks, smart thermostat, and other extras that make life easier.
  • Portable: Renters and frequent movers will appreciate Vivint's easy relocation options.
  • History : Until February 2011, Vivint was known as APX Alarm Security Solutions Inc. Since rebranding, many consumer issues have been remedied, although the company is still working with accrediting services.
  • Monitoring : While most security systems offer monitoring via landline, Internet and cell service, Vivint only offers cellular monitoring.
  • Best for Homeowners, tech-savvy shoppers and hands-off consumers.

Vivint Company Profile