Call toll free
3.91/5
Based on 2,190 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Gallery (2)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Vivint offers advanced home security systems and home automation integration with 24/7 monitoring available for a simple monthly fee.

PROS

• Contract-free option available
  • Advanced technology and integrations
  • Fully customizable

CONS

• Professional installation required

Top Vivint Reviews

Very easy to use and works great. The installation person was very nice and finished in less than 4 hours. They have many different options that you can choose from which makes it very easy to create a package for your home.

I love the features of the product. I love the fact that it has turned my home into a smart home while keeping it secure. The people are great and willing to help. They worked to install things where I wanted them when others said they couldn't.

Vivint Cost

Vivint pricing starts at $29.99 per month and will rise as you customize your home security package. All packages include the following:

vivint skycontrol panel
Home security system
vivint doorbell camera
Doorbell camera

Vivint monitoring and packages

Vivint offers home security and home automation packages, including 24/7 monitoring and video surveillance. Vivint’s contract terms range from 42-60 months, but you can avoid a long-term contract altogether if you purchase your equipment up front.

Vivint home security packages

Vivint offers 24/7 monitoring on all of its home security packages. The monitoring department will be able to get you help in an emergency, from break-ins to medical alerts. Vivint has highly customizable packages, but each package starts with the basics: a burglar alarm, smoke detector, water sensor and CO detector. From there, you can choose to add-on more security equipment, including cameras, sensors, smart locks and more.

Vivint home automation packages

Vivint home automation starts with SkyControl Panel, standard on all packages. The SkyControl panel will act as your automation hub, complete with a two-way talk feature to communicate with Vivint’s monitoring center.

The SkyControl Panel’s touch-screen dashboard comes with free professional installation and includes the following features:

• Arm and disarm your system
  • View security camera footage
  • Panic button
  • Adjust thermostats, lighting and appliances
  • Two-way communication
  • Encrypted network
  • Wireless connection
  • Backup battery

You can also choose to run your Vivint home automation through a smart device like Google Home, and easily control features like temperature, lighting and your security system with just your voice.

Vivint equipment

Vivint offers both pre-designed and custom equipment packages. You can add any of the following equipment options to your home alarm or home automation package to design your ideal home security system. Vivint requires professional installation for its equipment, but will generally waive any installation fee.

• SkyControl panel
  • Lamp module
  • Google Home

Home automation equipment

Element Thermostat
Vivint’s smart thermostat has built-in automation to optimize your home for both comfort and energy savings. You can control the device remotely through your phone or with voice control devices like the Amazon Echo. Features include mobile alerts and humidity tracking for optimized air quality, in addition to energy-saving automation features. With the Element thermostat, you can set home and away times to use less energy while you’re out of the house and save big on your bills.
Smart Locks
Lock and unlock your home remotely through Vivint's app, receive alerts and notifications when your door is left unlocked. You can also enter your home with a PIN code, even if you've lost your keys. Your smart home system will disarm your alarm, turn the lights on and adjust your thermostat to your preferred setting upon entering your home.
Garage Door Control
Open and shut your garage door from anywhere with your mobile device. With smart home functionality, you can even receive an alert on your phone when you’ve left your garage door open.
Ping Camera
A ping camera is an indoor camera with two-way talk features that allow you to communicate with your family, even when you're away from home. Ideal for families with children, the ping camera can connect your kids via your phone with one touch and give you a live, visual feed to what’s going on at your house.
Doorbell Camera
Vivint’s doorbell camera features a wide-angle lens, 2-way talk capabilities, night vision and can record video 24/7 for up to 30 days. The doorbell camera integrates with VivintSky, allowing you to unlock your front door, open your garage door or turn on your lights. You’ll get notifications anytime the camera detects a visitor, and smart motion detection will initiate an automatic 30-second smart clip anytime it detects a person is approaching your property.
Philips Hue
Vivint’s smart home lighting, Philips Hue, wirelessly connects for simple mobile or voice light control. You can set custom lighting rules, enabling lights to turn on and off on a schedule, and lighting groups to coordinate floors or other areas of your home. The smart lighting equipment operates with LED bulbs.

Do we recommend Vivint?

Vivint has robust home security and smart home offerings. We like the fully customizable package option, meaning you can get exactly what you want without paying for what you don’t need. Vivint’s systems protect users from intrusion as well as monitoring for catastrophic events like fire, flood and medical emergencies, making it a system anyone would feel secure having.

Vivint Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I liked Vivint's technology. There is the ability to check it out via phone and everything. But there are a lot of unfulfilled promises. There was a lot of stuff that I was told about the system that was not right and not true. The biggest thing was with the battery. Whenever we had a hurricane come through and we weren’t at home, our system would already be dead and we would call up Vivint. We were told that the batteries were there for a couple of hours as backup and not two days. But I was initially told that the backup battery for the system would last for three days.

I've spoken with credible technicians that are both on the sales side, customer service and the actual installation technician. There was one girl that did the majority of the installation who was far from professional. She drilled holes in the wrong places of my doorframe. She said those were just little holes and that they were not a big deal. But it was my house and that was a big deal. And whenever she ran the wires in the attic to one of my cameras, she didn’t bother to wrap them along with the rafters and formers up there. She just threw the bundle up over like boxes of Christmas ornaments. We didn’t find that out until a few days later when I went up there to get stuff. With the front door, she didn’t chisel everything out properly and we were having problems with it or cracks with the door from her work.

We had a lot of various serious problems. I finally got ahold of the regional manager. I told that this could be fixed today or tomorrow. Their people can come and leave all of their equipment in my house and put it back later. I also told the regional manager about the girl who did the installation and he told me not to worry. It would be taken care of and that he would send out his best technician. The stuff that was messed up was corrected and I appreciated that. The customer service in getting it fixed was immediate.

I also have the garage door monitor which sometimes randomly stops working and that isn't very helpful. But I like being able to look at and check out my house. We live down in Florida so whenever a hurricane comes here and we evacuate, we can check on our house. Overall, we're happy with the system. It's good. They are still some hiccups but I know that it's still a relatively new technology. I have recommended Vivint to friends. I told them that if they are looking at alarms and cameras, they shouldn't push Vivint out. They should at least look and see what they have once. It's a technology that other companies don’t have.

Vivint response

Thanks for the feedback! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

The door-to-door salesman from Vivint talked to me and gave us his phone number to be in contact with him. However, we've had some issues and we couldn’t reach him at all. He ignored phone calls and text messages. We finally wound up dealing with the home office, but they also had problems reaching him. There is an account with Vivint for our house in New York and my husband has a house in Florida also with Vivint. We took both policies and we contracted at the same time.

The salesman promised us buybacks, but there was an aggravation trying to get the buyback out of our first company and my husband also had problems trying to get a buyback out of the second company. It took months, which didn’t leave a good taste in our mouths. But once we pushed the salesman out of the loop and dealt with the corporate support, we were able to get things resolved. It wasn't done quickly, but they finally took care of things and it is running smoothly now.

The quality of the system is good, but one of the issues we had with the Florida house was not good. We were in New York on a Saturday night and we got the call at 10:00 that the alarm was triggered. They said it was the motion detector. My neighbor came over and checked it out but didn’t call the police. A week later, we had the same incident. We also had an issue with the garage sensor. We got a phone call and they told us that our garage door was open, although it wasn’t. It was closed. So, we came back down to Florida and Vivint had a technician come to the house.

They wanted to charge us, but we said, “This is ridiculous. You have problems here.” They found out that the motion detector was not even connected in my house. It was somebody else’s house and we were getting the alarms based on the motion detector on somebody else’s home. We were alerted for someone else’s alarm three times. The solution for the garage door was we just had to disconnect the sensor.

In New York, a guy came to the door and said he was the district manager. He told me to call him if there were any problems. He said, “Yeah. Call me. Don’t bother going into the corporate. I'll get there right away. I'm local.” I called him twice because I had issues where the system wasn’t working with my thermostat. The keypad in the house wasn’t connecting with the thermostat. However, there was no way to contact him anymore and again, I had to go back to the corporate office. The system is good when it's working. I love the idea of being able to have the app open and close the doors. I like the touchpad for the door rather than having to use my key. I could have had it with my old company, but I was told that Vivint was gonna be cheaper, but it still remains to be seen because we've just gone through the buyout.

Vivint response

Hey Sandra, thank you for sharing.

We are sorry to hear that you have had a few problems with both of your systems and difficulties getting ahold of our representatives at times. I want to assure you that we are here for you, and we want to make sure all your issues are resolved. If you'd follow the link below, we'd love to talk to you and make sure everything is resolved. We are here for you 24/7.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I used to have Monitronics and when my house got broken into, I came home with my front door wide open. The alarm was going off for about 45 minutes and I think the alarm scared them off but I was very upset that no one notified me that there was a situation. I never got a call from Monitronics and never got a call from the police. Then, two weeks later, one of Vivint’s rep was wandering around the neighborhood, telling me about theirs and they told me that they can replace our system with a better one. After talking with them, they had a pretty good rate. They set me up with a home security system and I have been with them for eight years now.

During the installation, I asked the installation team about different things and they were helpful. They set up a couple of motions sensors and door sensors so if the door is open, it will let me know. They also detect glass breakage if something breaks so they put several motions sensors in. But, they could not help me out with my 20-foot square shipping container that I am using as a workshop. I asked them if there was any way to put a motion sensor. I was told that because it is a metal shipping container, it would block the signal. I also asked them if they can put like a contact system outside of it but they still said no. They would not be able to do it. I told them that if they put a system on the inside, all they need is like a little lead wire off of it for the antenna, drill a small hole through the wall, stick the antenna wire through the wall, then put a little silicon around it. It should go ahead and work for them.

I was told that they will talk to their technical support group and see if that would work. I never heard back from them so I got one building in my property that’s not protected. But I have installed my own security cameras inside and outside to help bolster, that I can bring them up on my phone and see what’s going on if I get an alert. I was originally very satisfied with their service but right now, not so much. I am having problems with my control pad in the house and if I leave the house, it’ll beep once at me. It won’t say whether it’s armed away. I have to reset it, disarm it then rearm it, and then it’ll say, “System armed away”. I also keep getting error messages on one of my key fobs. It says that it’s low in battery so I put new batteries on it but it still says that. I don’t know whether the key fob is going bad or not registering.

When I called Vivint, they told me that our panel is obsolete and when they get someone in the area, they’ll come by and will upgrade our panel. Since then, I haven’t heard back from them. However, when we get to speak to an actual person, it is not too bad. They try to help and they are very courteous and very professional. But I gotta go through several different prompts to get to an actual person on the phone and that could be improved a bit better. They called me a while back though saying they received an alarm when I left the house. I didn’t have my back door secured properly and when we had some strong winds, it blew the door open. I have their phone app on my phone that tells me that the back door is open and that it needs to be checked out.

I was about five minutes away so I went by and the police were just pulling up. They asked me if I wanted them to check the house. I told them I just forgot to shut the door real tight. They came in with me, no one was in the house and nothing was missing. They were prompt in contacting the police and I got a notice almost immediately on my phone. I also received a follow-up phone call from their reps about 30 seconds after I got the phone message. Their service, in that aspect of it, has been good.

Vivint response

John, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to assist you with the concerns that you have. Please Chat in with us 24/7 so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Vivint gives good service. Everybody, including the sales and installation team, has all been very informative. The techs that have come out have been really helpful versus what I've experienced over the phone. Occasionally, we haven't been able to troubleshoot as well over the phone. And so, I really appreciated it when a tech came out without a charge to me, because there would be times when I would troubleshoot over the phone with someone for an hour or more, and things wouldn't work out. I was nervous when they said they needed to send some tech out because there's a tech charge to send someone out. But on those times when I had trouble with troubleshooting and not finding a resolution, having the tech here was really important to resolve the issue. The techs seem to be highly knowledgeable versus the person on the phone.

I have the doorbell system where I can check from my phone. And I also love the app that allows me to control my thermostat away from home. I use that, as well as the doorbell camera a lot when I'm not at home, just to make sure that my house is secure. Those are my favorite features. My satisfaction with the service has been kind of up and down because I've had a lot of issues that have needed to be readdressed since Hurricane Harvey. Things got a little damaged in the process of that flood. And so, maybe some of those issues could be related to that storm because it seems like my reoccurring issues began after the storm.

We would fix something, and then it would falter again. So there were a few visits in the last several months of this year since the hurricane. The frequency is a little bit higher than what I was used to before the storm, but Vivint has been really helpful in finally resolving those recurring issues. So as far as the resolution, it has been great but it just has taken some time to figure out these reoccurring problems. And there has been several technicians that have had to come out to try to re-evaluate or find a final resolution for some of these issues. We've had to replace the panel. The previous tech was just trying to work with the panel, and then the next tech eventually decided to replace it. Overall, Vivint is great and they'll help you out to the end to make sure you get the right customized system for your home.

Vivint response

Thanks for the feedback Amy! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I did a Google search because I was struggling with a few other alarm companies that I was moving into my house with and trying to get it set up. I was getting estimates from different companies, then I had one of Vivint's reps come out, and it worked out. I liked Vivint's cost and ease of installation. All the other companies wanted to do a full, costly retrofit because I had a lot of double-hung windows in my house, so we needed extra sensors. I had existing wired sensors, but they didn't want to use that and they were really killing me on the cost for the extra sensors that I would need. I needed around seven sensors in the house and Vivint was able to work out the cost where I could afford it initially.

When we finally decided to pull through, Vivint came out and they got it all set up in one day. It was a long day and they had a lot of work to do. They sent two guys out and they knocked it out. They did a nice clean job and came back the next day and finished a few little things that were missing and tuned it up. The system has really been working flawlessly since we got it. The service has been good so far, although I've had some issues with maintenance that I still got to get fixed. I need a thermostat and Vivint still owes me another wireless deadbolt that I never got because they were out of stock.

Everything has worked good once we've gotten the bugs worked out of the system. However, there were a few features that I was promised, like the auxiliary touchscreens, and those were supposed to have come out, but they've never come out or they are not doing them. I'd really like to have one in my master and one out in the garage. I'd also like to be able to have some cameras on the exterior and out in my garage where I have most of the stuff that I need to protect. I got a really big garage with a bunch of tools. Everybody at Vivint has been really professional. We had an emergency call one time and they stayed on the phone with my wife. I was away and the fire department got there. That really sold her on Vivint, having that voice there when something was going on. I tell all my friends about Vivint.

Vivint response

Thanks for the feedback Ricardo! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Had a great experience, they were both very professional and answered all my questions, made it smooth and easy to transition from one system to this new one. Diego was very nice and made time for me during my busy schedule. I will be recommending this service to several people.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Was to receive a Ipad upon subscription of service but never got anything, not even a phone call about failure of complying with their promo, very disappointed with this company and their customer service and the failure to follow up on their customer service support.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I’m a brand new user and I like the system. The only downside I see so far is I would like to see users that aren’t the administrator be able to disarm the alarm without having the administrator code. It’s defeats the purpose of having separate codes. Other than that, I like the system so far.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

The technicians install camera doorbell and camera in backyard, smoke detectors, door chimes on front and back doors also a medical alert button for my mother in case of emergency. Technicians did a great job installing and explaining the product. I'm pleased with the product. Thank you, Vivint.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Sale and installation. Both were very professional, enjoyed doing business with them. Now it’s up to Vivint to do their part. I like the fact there is no contract. That I can cancel at anytime. The installer was great, walked us through everything.

Vivint Company Information