4.7/5 (5889 ratings)
Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About Vivint Smart Home

Vivint Smart Home is a home security and home automation provider that offers professionally monitored and installed security systems. Its product line includes doorbell cameras, outdoor and indoor cameras, wireless security sensors, smart locks, garage door openers and smart thermostats.

Pros

• Contract-free option available
    • Advanced tech and integrations
    • Fully customizable
    • Special military benefits

Cons

• Professional installation required
    • Must speak with agent for pricing

Bottom Line

Vivint isn’t for those on a tight budget, but it is a good choice for those willing to pay a little more for peace of mind. All plans include 24/7 monitoring. Customers can mix and match equipment to customize their systems.

Information from Vivint on the coronavirus (COVID-19)

Vivint has adopted several procedures to help contain the spread of the coronavirus and ensure the safety of its employees and customers. The company is performing daily health checks on all employees. Vivint's technicians are also following the social distancing guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and using protective sanitary equipment, such as gloves and hand sanitizer, when possible.

What is Vivint?

Vivint is a provider of security systems and additional safety products for homes and businesses alike. Because Vivint plans are highly customizable, customers must contact a sales representative for a free quote. All Vivint security systems are professionally installed and monitored 24/7 by an experienced team.

Vivint pricing

As of publishing, monitoring services start at $19.99 per month plus the cost of equipment. Equipment packages vary in cost, depending on what’s included and the level of customization.

New customers must meet a minimum purchase of $599.99 to qualify for the lowest monthly monitoring rate; financing is available with approved credit. If you purchase the equipment upfront, you can go month to month; otherwise, financing generally comes with a 60-month contract.

Vivint equipment must be installed professionally, with installation fees ranging from $49 to $199.

• Vivint Smart Security Monitoring: This package includes mobile access, entry and environmental detectors, medical pendant support and 24/7 professional monitoring. The installation fee is $99.
    • Vivint Smart Home Monitoring: With this package, you get everything in the Security Monitoring plan, plus smart-home integration features. This package’s installation fee is $149.
    • Vivint Smart Home Video Monitoring: You get everything in the plans above, plus video surveillance. You might have to pay more if you require more video surveillance storage. The installation fee for this package is $199.

For more, see how costs compare with Vivint vs. ADT, Vivint vs. Frontpoint or Vivint vs. Ring.

Vivint equipment

Vivint offers both starter kits and custom equipment packages. All packages come with the Vivint panel, professional monitoring and access to the Vivint app.

You can add any of the following equipment options to your alarm system or home automation package to design your ideal home security system.

vivint doorbell camera
    Smart locks
    vivint smart thermostat
    Smart thermostat

Vivint home automation packages

Vivint home automation starts with the SkyControl panel, which is standard for all packages. The SkyControl panel acts as the smart hub, complete with a two-way talk feature to communicate with Vivint’s monitoring center and the Vivint Sky app.

The SkyControl panel’s touch-screen dashboard comes with free professional installation and includes the following capabilities, features and controls:

• Arming/disarming your system
    • Security camera footage
    • Panic button
    • Thermostat, lighting and appliance adjustment
    • Two-way communication
    • Encrypted network
    • Wireless connection
    • Backup battery

You can also choose to run your Vivint home automation through a smart device like Google Home and easily control features like temperature, lighting and your security system with just your voice.

Vivint Smart Home FAQ

If you opt in to the Premium Service plan, Vivint will repair or replace defective parts at any time for free. Otherwise, you get a warranty period of 120 days.
    The typical Vivint contract is 60 months, with no-contract options available for those who purchase their equipment upfront. Month-to-month monitoring agreements are available as long as the equipment is paid for upfront.
    No, Vivint cameras run using a Wi-Fi network. You must also have Wi-Fi to use the control panel, which comes with each Vivint security system.
    While Vivint doesn’t spy on you, hacking is always a possibility with any home security cameras that use wireless technology. Like most security companies, Vivint encrypts its cameras. To protect against hackers, Vivint recommends discussing security with your Wi-Fi provider.
    Vivint may run a credit check if you request a free quote or make a purchase. The Vivint privacy policy doesn’t specify if this is solely for customers seeking financing or not.
    No, all Vivint packages come with professional monitoring.
    The Vivint SkyControl panel does not have a camera. It is a control panel that allows users to control all their home security equipment and communicate with Vivint security professionals.

Is Vivint worth it?

Vivint can be pricey compared with some security systems, mostly because of the cost of equipment. However, for those willing to pay more for home security, it seems the equipment is a big draw. Vivint users say the control panel is easy to use and praise the camera quality — particularly the doorbell camera.

Additionally, customers can pick and choose which equipment is right for their home and needs, and professional monitoring is automatically included.

Vivint security reviews are overall positive. Installation technicians are professional and take the time to answer any questions that new customers might have, according to recent Vivint reviews.

For more, see how Vivint compares against our top picks for smart home security systems.

Vivint Smart Home Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Smart Home?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I waffled a little between a 4 and 5 only because we have run into some adhesive issues with the sensors resulting in them falling down and triggering the window to show open. However a 30 second super glue job did the trick and we haven't had any problems since, their service otherwise ultimately earned them a 5. Three years ago an apartment complex was developed across the street from our neighborhood. It was of no concern until the complex decided to drop background checks and their higher credit requirement cultivating a demographic with lengthy criminal records and poverty.

One night, our dogs were violently barking at our sliding glass door staring toward the dark area of the yard, as I looked out two hooded men saw me and hopped the fence to run away. Three hours later they returned, only this time I revealed that I and my wife were armed and prepared to dial 911 to call them an ambulance. This happened at 9pm. Imagine if it were 3am. We had a Vivint Security System installed mostly due to the familiarity of the brand with the commercials and billboards, but we had heard that some security alarms go off and they never receive a phone call from the business which we almost were expecting a little.

Life has taken unforeseen turns and we now have our aunt with dementia living in our basement apartment. It has a separate entrance and occasionally she enjoys strolling outside at 2am. Over the last year she has tripped the alarm probably 15 or so times and not a single one did Vivint fail to contact us within 30 seconds of the code not being input. Not a single time did they call and become annoyed or frustrated at the repeated false alarms. We ended up purchasing all of the equipment and enjoy the $23 monthly service charge for SIM service in case someone got sophisticated and cut the Comcast cable out back removing internet access. All in all, we've never had a problem with the system outside of the early mentioned adhesive problems that have been resolved. Highly recommend.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Aaron! We appreciate you giving us your feedback! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I wanted to give my experience five star, because the salesman was wonderful and my technician was wonderful. On the flip side, The salesman finished all the eDocs at 2030 Thursday night. Awesome. 2330, we are all sleep and I got a call and text from an unknown Florida phone number telling me that there was a technician outside my door to do a partial installation. My response was: “The hell he is. Absolutely not.” Daylights hours are acceptable. At that point and after the fact, an appointment was made. I simultaneously got a call from my neighbor saying that there was someone lurking around my vehicles. I explained to her about the Vivint technician, and she states that it was “unacceptable and creepy, and would ask that they not return to her house.”

From a business aspect, we both know how important advertising, customer service, and professionalism is to a company. Especially with SO MANY competitors. A million dollar ad is awesome, but you are more than likely to get the bulk of your customers from word of mouth. My neighbor was a potential customer. Not anymore. How many people do you think she will tell of what she witnessed? That is detrimental to your company, and VERY unsafe for your young employees. Appointments and ETA notifications are imperative safety mechanisms put in place all over the country, especially in the Great State of Texas. People are fearful and on level Orange alert. We are an open carry state. Defending our homes without question. Put more thought into this for customer satisfaction, company longevity and employee safety.

I also strongly recommend that Vivint ensures that they have solicitation permits issued by the city to cover salesmen walking door to door in “sizzle a bacon” heat. A lot of communities are NO SOLICITATION communities, and salesmen can be arrested on site. I applaud these young kids wanting to make a decent living, and I’m here for it. But consumers want to also see that employee safety is a concern as well, not just the bottom dollar.

Vivint Smart Home response

Delondria, thank you for bringing this to our attention! We appreciate you giving us your feedback. Please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. We want to make sure any issues are resolved.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I have been considering a security system for sometime. My daughters have been insistent that I get one. I was outside my home yesterday and began talking to Omahri **, a Smart Home Pro in my area. He gave an impressive, inclusive presentation with visuals, videos. As a retired educator, I appreciated his knowledge, patience, and empathetic demeanor.

As a young person, he was very skilled in making connections/giving explanations per my ability to assimilate the information and technology. He made references to “seniors,” which we pleasantly changed to “experienced.” ???? He also made very nice references to his mother and grandmother, which made me feel he cared about the quality of this system for my own, personal use. He helped me load/understand the Vivint app on my phone. He also helped me with the security identification on it. (I also greatly appreciated that I did not feel judged by the total wreckage of many rooms in my home - I may NEVER get all this unpacked!)

I do not remember the name of the electrician/technician who came later to install everything. He was equally prompt, friendly, skilled, and efficient. We deferred to him for location of the main unit/device. It was a better choice than either Omahri or I had considered. He also explained everything patiently, allowed me to ask questions, and was quick and efficient. And he also abided my piles of books ???, paperwork, and everything else. I was horrified. They were polite professionals.

If this system works as well as these two representatives did, I feel confident I will like it very much. I was surprised to realize/remember it is what my daughter has had for almost a year. Memory is not my strongest attribute. I highly - 10 on scale of 1-10 - recommend both of these young men. Thank you for this opportunity to commend the professionalism of these two gentlemen.

Vivint Smart Home response

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing, Janelle. We are so happy that you had a great experience and look forward to serving you in the future. Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Nate, a young man of 19 years, approached me when I was outside, but maintained significant distance, which helped me know he meant me no harm. He was very personable and professional, presenting Vivint as a company and moving through the presentation quickly and easily, answering questions and providing evidence on his iPad. He asked about 10-15 minutes into the conversation if I would mind letting him into the house, to sit at a table to continue his presentation. At first I declined, so he stepped a few feet back and continued the presentation. I noticed he was having a little trouble handling his iPad, and finally allowed him in. He was very courteous and polite, accompanying me to the table and patiently waiting as I pulled out chairs for us, staying in one position until I was ready.

As we sat and talked, Nate called in the Regional Manager, Ty, who arrived not long after, introduced himself, and joined us at the table. He was exceptionally personable and professional, answered all of my questions arising from his presentation, and kept Nate in the conversation, having him look things up on the internet and asking him to explain some things. The presentations they both gave and the Internet/Vivint displays they provided were very compelling. But it was the cost, along with the zero % interest rate, that sealed the deal. I was excited when they left, and an installation team had just arrived!

Drew and Jacob made an excellent installation team, working quickly and communicating very briefly when necessary. They were also very personable, joking with me intermittently and explaining things clearly. They had to come back in a day or two, to get the system tied to the Internet, but I had camera warnings and video footage the first night!

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback, Catherine! We are so glad to hear about your experience with Nate and how you're loving your system.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Marian was very helpful with moving the back door camera to the front door and setting up what he could without WiFi - although he did not patch the massive hole in my wall that the previous camera made so now I have to figure out how to cover that up so no bugs or rain water can get in and I don’t hear everyone that passes by my condo.

I was missing a few things apparently (an indoor camera and a glass break sensor, that I can remember) that I assume the previous owner took when they moved. I was disappointed to find out it would be an extra charge to get any of those items replaced, especially since I’m a new customer and already paid $90 something for the first month as a set up charge - shouldn’t I be given a few things to start up with Vivint? I just didn’t realize I would be paying for an install/activation ($90 something) and on top of that would have to pay $200 for window sensors (hard pass - that’s what I pay my HOA each month) and even more for cameras and glass break sensors. I thought that all would be included with the $90 charge because that’s what my parents said they got when they started with Vivint.

He also did not help me change my door code (and I forgot to ask to be fair) so... I don’t know, I guess I’ll have to call Vivint about how to do that along with what to do for an indoor camera since now I just have one at my front door and that’s the only security I have which, living alone, I’m not feeling great about that. The only reason I gave 4 stars is because the guy told me his pay would be reduced for anything lower and I’m not mad at him so that’s not fair of me to inadvertently do that to him - I’m mad at the Vivint company for not setting me up as a first time buyer with everything my parents were set up with as first time buyers. It’s not like you’re losing money on me by giving me a camera to put in my house or a glass break sensor. Or even - idk - window sensors on any of the literal 4 windows I have in my condo. Anyway, I’m probably yelling into the wind but maybe this helps y’all in the future to have better customer care.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback, Mercedes. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your billing and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

This was one of the worst experiences I ever had. The initial technician was double booked and they have sent someone else who came at 12 pm with a very unpleasant attitude and making fun of my lack of knowledge. At some point he even called me darling. After several arguments we have agreed on what he needs to install but even he was booked from 12 to 4 pm, he had to leave at 3 pm and he came back at 5 pm to install everything. He made a mess in the entire house and he didn’t clean after himself. He said he is usually bringing a broom but today he decided to not take it. Cables leftovers, packages and white dust from the walls is all over the floors.

Today when I’ve start cleaning I’ve realized he broke a plug too. When he was about to leave I’ve realized he didn’t install one of the sensors. It was almost 8 pm when he finished and after he left I saw he forgot his ladder so he had to come back and pick it up. I’m not even sure I have the best option for my security system.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Eric arrived at the time he said he would and was very professional. He walked me through the paperwork and immediately got to work setting up the system. He then went over all the features of my system and even set up existing equipment I had to the system. I was very pleased with his work.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

Rep was very nice and knowledgeable. Took time to show and explain everything as he was putting in equipment. Then took time to show me and my husband how the system worked. Showed all the great functionality we now have.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Great company. Super helpful from the first phone call. Sean installed our system and was super knowledgeable and helpful! This company is a 10/10. I would recommend it to anyone. If you are in the market for a home security system you should look no further.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Daniel! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

The entire process of working with the Vivint team was outstanding. From our sales person to our installer, everyone was courteous and informative. Our installer did a wonderful job. Clean installation all the way around! So far so good, but I am excited about our security upgrade. The cameras are awesome, 4k!

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Matthew! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Vivint Smart Home Company Information