3.75/5
  • 1 star
Based on 1,811 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Gallery (2)
A-BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 16, 2017

6499 Vivint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Totally dissatisfied with the service and equipment. I have not had the system two weeks, have had three technicians to my home, submitted multiple complaints, and still waiting on Vivint to respond and get the system to perform as promised.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

We received Vivint this past Summer. I am seriously regretting getting it. The doorbell camera goes on and offline more times than I can count. If a package is left on steps or near my door, I cannot view any clips from the mobile device or camera. What good is the doorbell camera if it is not picking up activity. When I call Customer Services, I get a hum drum vibe from the majority of them and most of them do not appear knowledgeable about troubleshooting. I am highly disappointed. I have too many issues yet and still l pay them the monthly fee when I should be only paying half since it works only half the time.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I was very pleased with the service and knowledge of your technician. He was very kind and courteous. We are enjoying the system, it is very user friendly. I will be recommending Vivint to all my family and friends!

Vivint response

Tina, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that our representative was able to provide excellent customer service. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

It has taken me while to report the excellent customer service that we received when they installed the security system in our home and I cannot speak highly enough about the professionalism of the two technicians that came to our home in October. They were very respectful, listen to what and where we wanted the equipment installed. They took their time in explaining how to use the equipment and what the security system could and could not do, which a lot of our request was not doable only because we might have been asking more than what any system could do.

I would recommend Vivint to anyone who is looking to add security to their home if you want to experience what true customer service is all about as well as when you call in for service, these folks are extremely professional, courteous and polite, which in today's world doesn't happen very often. Again, thank you guys for your outstanding customer service and support. I hope to be with Vivint for a long time.

Vivint response

Leroy, thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide excellent customer service and we're happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Vivint Sky - My experience with Vivint unfortunately has been extremely disappointing. I have had numerous problems with the install, numerous problems with overbilling and changing my account money that is not owed. I call and dispute charges monthly and have not had a firm resolution. If a customer service agent resolves the disputed charge, the next month the billing department creates another fake charge and the battle goes on and on. I would not recommend this company in any way. It's unfortunate because I was a long time customer but I have no idea what has happened in the administration of this company and their equipment. I have tons of connectivity issues and the only advice I get is to reboot the system. Sorry Vivint, you suck. Yours truly, a very disappointed customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I had Vivint before it had remote access and was pleased with the service. However, since I have had it installed in my current house with the remote access features, I have not been satisfied. I had the doorbell camera installed on my front door and a security camera installed in my walkout basement that also allowed me to keep an eye on my dogs while I was away. The basement camera goes on and offline randomly and the talk function rarely works. I paid extra for two key fobs to arm and disarm the system when I had it installed. The technician told me that they were unnecessary as the remote access was all that I needed. I told him that I felt more comfortable with a backup in case the app didn't work. I'm glad I did. Up until now, the app has worked probably 85% of the time. The doorbell camera was extremely sensitive and would pick up shadows moving from the trees.

Now, the doorbell camera doesn't seem to pick anything up unless you are at the door (i.e. no cars, people in my driveway, etc). The app completely stopped working almost a week ago. I have called the company at least 3 times only to be told what I could do to troubleshoot (I've tried everything), that it was an issue with my phone and not the app, and finally that there is an issue with the app working for people with android phones. They only give the last bit of information after about 30 minutes on the phone then tell you that they are working on it. It's been a week. I can't arm/disarm my system, check my system status, or use any of the remote functions that are advertised for the system.

As I am still paying for a service (i.e. remote access) that I cannot currently use, I asked for a reimbursement for the time that I have not been able to use those features. I was told that the app is a free feature so there would be no reimbursement because I could still access the system from a desktop. I can't even log onto their website from my phone and now I can't even see my cameras from a desktop. Again, I was given troubleshooting tips to try and told that I could have a $10 credit for the inconvenience. I argued that it was false advertising because their site's home page touts their remote access capabilities but then says that the app is free and if it doesn't work then I'll just have to use a desktop when away from home.

That's not what I signed up for. What good is a camera that you don't get instant notification on? I can't arm/disarm the system remotely for company or someone that is coming by to check on my house and dogs. If I had the thermostat, keyless entry, and lighting package, none of that would be able to be accessed other than by desktop either. I paid extra for this system so that I had those capabilities without having to leave a key hidden somewhere or leave the system disarmed when someone would be coming by when I was away. Basically, the company only promises a security system at the basic functions with access to more if you are at a computer or at home in front of your panel. Great. So if my home catches fire or someone breaks in or steals something off my porch or out of my yard, I'll know when I get to a computer. Not convenient at all.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

So far, I am very pleased with our home management system. We have recommended it and will continue to do so. I like being able to monitor activity remotely from my phone; to see who has been to my house; control our thermostat, to have a working doorbell!

Vivint response

Marcia, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us and that everything is going well. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Mic has not worked since system was installed, video app not working correctly. It takes a long time to upload. Whomever was at the door are gone by the time I can see and talk to them. The app has been uninstalled and re-installed more than 5 times. The keypad light went out the second day and has not been repaired.

Vivint response

Christopher, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to discuss your concerns with you at any time. Please reach out to us at www.vivint.com/contact-support so we can assist you further.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Vivint went door to door selling after a few break-ins happened in the area, taking advantage of the residents. Sadly, I bought into it. It was one of the worst decisions I have ever made. The sales guy missold the contract length, its value, and stated that insurance generally gave a significant discount for security systems, something like 20%. Pressed hard for signature without reading the contract. In reality, the contract was multiple years longer, provided subpar cheap equipment, that started failing in under a year. That 20% insurance discount was more of around 1%. I knew I had been taken, but there wasn't anything I could really do about it.

I then sold my house. Per standard selling practice, if it was attached to the wall, it was sold with the house. Most companies would see this as a possible sale, this is why most of such that provide hardware and service have moving benefits, but of course not Vivint. The hardware was left as it had to be left in the house. I called to cancel the service and was informed that the cancellation fee was 2000+, as the contract was, "Pay in full for services not delivered by Vivint on termination." I told them they can sell it/transfer it to the new homeowner, and then did not hear by until a dept collection agency contacted me. As far as I knew this was transferred over to the new owner.

Honestly, given the number of high negative reviews, I think it's time someone actively stood up to this company. I am a web designer and am very much thinking of pledging time and some money to making an attempt at diverting some profits off this unethical company to its competitors. If a Vivint door-to-door salesperson stops at a door at my new place, I will go door to door following them and give a testimonial of how bad of company they are.

Vivint response

Erik, that is definitely cause for concern, and we will gladly help you with that! Please email us at socialcs@vivint.com at your earliest convenience for further assistance. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Our agent was well informed and covered all our needs. Very happy with the service. Our installer called ahead to confirm our time and inspected our home when he came in and advised a few required changes for the need of our new home. He cleaned up after himself and went over the panel and how everything worked.

Vivint response

Anu, thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I had a security system installed about 2-3 weeks ago and I love it! Our installer was super helpful and informative. I love that you can control the whole system with your phone and just makes you feel a lot more safe in the home. Overall have had a great experience so far.

Vivint response

Delaney, thank you for your feedback. We're glad you're liking your system and the features that it has to offer. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Vivint installed an alarm system in our store! The sales team was patient as I asked a million questions! The installer was so nice and timely. I would recommend Vivint to anyone considering a camera/alarm system! They are a great team and a great company.

Vivint response

Mackenzie, thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Camera went down after installation and Vivint came out and repaired quickly and have a professional crew. My only complaint is that they overbook jobs and give you a large window of time when they can show up. However their customer service is good.

Vivint response

John, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that our representative was able to assist you and help resolve your concerns. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Asked to be accurate and since the system is new, I can only say that so far we have been very happy. When we've called they've been helpful and very efficient. I was impressed when they called to see if we were happy. All of this is better than our last system's company. So, yes, I am impressed. We like the equipment. Easy to use, easy to read, easy to see. Key remote works great in the middle of the night if you don't want to use keypad.

Vivint response

George, thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Absolutely love this system. I had ADT for approximately 20 years. During that time the system would malfunction frequently. It was extremely costly for me to pay for the numerous malfunctions. Love the ability to monitor my house through my phone. I feel more secure with this system. I have recommended it to my friends and family.

Vivint response

Cynthia, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your system and the features that it has to offer. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

Camera sensors are very poor and impossible to adjust correct. Record almost every minute. The sale persons and the Tech that comes to install are WORLDS A PART! VERY UNHAPPY WITH THE WORKINGS OF THE EQUIPMENT!!!! The Tech that came to the house was outstanding and tried his hardest to make things work right, but the equipment is the failing part of it all!

Vivint response

Richard, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to discuss your concerns with you. Please reach out to us at socialcs@vivint.com so we can assist you further.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I have Vivint’s basic package like the motion sensors and I have Nest as well. The sales reps answered all my questions and I wanted something but I didn't know what to get so when they explained Vivint to me, I decided on it. The installer knew what he was doing and helped me learn how to use the system. He also answered all my questions and everything he thought I didn't know, he still answered them so I didn't have any questions for him after the installation. I love Vivint’s service and how fast they respond if an alarm goes off whether it's accidental or not. They call within a minute. I'd tell other people to get the system and I would explain to them how it was explained to me and it'll be all good things. My aunt has Vivint in her house too.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I live alone and just moved in the neighborhood. I didn't know anybody so I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a security system going. A guy came to my door one day and explained everything and that I needed to have the medical watch first. I already have one with another company but it was part of the package. The installer, Andrew, treated me with the utmost respect. I didn't understand a lot of what he said, but he did everything. He explained that he had to make a little hole in the wall to run in the cord down.

However, I hate that I could never get the system to work properly. I can't get it to go on to my computer or my cell phone. When I go out, I have to push the lock feature on the door panel, and then when I come, I have to push in my security code so I can get back in. I cannot unlock the system from my vehicle to go in and all the extra little things that they said that I could have, don't do any of that. I would really like the whole business to stop as I'm paying $72 a month for something that is pretty much useless to me. I’ve been with Vivint for about seven months now and it's more of a pain than it is anything else. I'd be moving in December, so I need Vivint to come and take their equipment out.

Vivint response

Betty, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to assist you with your concerns. Please feel free to reach out to us at socialcs@vivint.com

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I needed to have a home security system because it was an out-of-state home. The service of Vivint has been great so far and the installer was phenomenal. He had a very good attitude and he was a joy to be around when he was working. Since the system was installed, I have more peace of mind because I can see my house from another state away and control the door locks. One time we had a camera go bad and their techs came right out. It took a little bit of time for them to get out, but that wasn’t too big of an issue.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Installing our Vivint system was great. The installer was professional, courteous, and nice. He came over, was on time, did the work, and gave me some good advice about what I was getting and how to set it up. I got Vivint so I could get my doorbell and my thermostat. I have a disability so when I'm upstairs, it's hard for me to go downstairs and change the thermostat if it gets really warm or cool upstairs. So, the system allows me to change the temperature wherever I am at the house. But also, I could set it to a range so I can get it to come on if it gets too hot or too cold. I like that a lot.

Vivint works with my Amazon as added features so that worked well. I can tell my Amazon to do things that my Vivint controls as well. So if I'm in the house, I can tell my Amazon to lock the door or I can tell my Amazon to turn off the thermostat. I like that it all works and fares together. If I didn't have a contract with ADT, then I would just let Vivint takeover everything because they use the same features that my ADT does. I like that everything is seamless. I’m very satisfied and I've recommended Vivint to my parents and I would definitely recommend them to my friends.

Vivint response

Lisa, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us and that everything is going well. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I’ve had Vivint for 4 years because you're in a contract. When we first installed the system it was fine but after a few months the cameras stopped working. Had them replaced and they still don’t work. So in July we called to cancel the service. They told us we had to wait till December. So I called to cancel. Now they said, "You have to send us an E-Mail." So when we called to speak to someone they offered to upgrade the cameras and lower the price because as you know you are one of the most expensive companies. Well she said she would have someone return my call. I’ve been waiting now for two days and no call. So yes you need to work on your customer service.

Vivint response

Carlos, thank you for your feedback. We completely understand your frustration, and we definitely want to discuss your concerns with you. Please email us at socialcs@vivint.com at any time.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

Everything we have with Vivit is good but the doorbell is pretty cool and I like it the most. Their sales rep was nice, professional and knowledgeable, and I had a good dealing with him. The installation didn’t take too long and took them two and a half hours. Everything was like they said and they were tidy once they were done. I talked to Vivint’s reps about moving to a new house because I’m selling the home and they were easy to contact. I got the basic info on it and the process was all going smoothly.

Vivint response

Dustin, thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I don’t know if I get billed? How do I set up my password that they mentioned to me that is vocal? They installer was very nice and little cocky when asked questions and his responses were kind of like disrespectful as he looked at me like I was dumb! He was nice towards the end but came in very serious and aggressive. Installation was done quickly. I think we needed more information on a vocal set up as explained to me by the agent when I called. The installer was oblivious too about this!!

Vivint response

Sanai, thank you for your feedback. We don't like to hear that you're upset and had a poor experience. We would be happy to discuss your concerns with you at any time. Please email us at socialcs@vivint.com

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

For the amount we are paying I expected the door camera to be better. We have the fastest internet speed you can get but there is a pretty good delay... If I could do it over again I would do it differently.

Vivint response

Richard, please visit support.vivint.com for answers to your troubleshooting questions. If the issues persist, feel free to chat in at www.vivint.com or call our 24/7 number at 1.800.216.5232. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

The Vivint guy came to the door and the doorbell camera was really interesting. The installation went really quick. Now I can always see who comes to the door, and even if somebody walks by, the camera records them. We’ve had a few false alarms because of our mistake, and Vivint responds quickly.

Vivint response

Sarah, thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I have a Vivint alarm system in my house for 2 years now and never had a problem w/ Vivint until now. I used to have ADT alarm system in my house and I was satisfied w/ ADT. The only reason why I switched to vivint because of their doorbell camera. We just got a new pet. Called them and told about it because of the motion detector. They told me the motion detector inside my house is not a vivint equipment so they cannot do anything about it. At this point I knew about that because they never replaced all the ADT equipment that was installed by ADT and they just used the ADT equipment. The only vivint equipment they installed was the doorbell, wall panel and the camera and the rest they kept all the ADT equipment and use it instead of replacing it.

So I asked them what to do and if they can replace all the ADT equipment inside my house to vivint equipment. They told me to just turn them off my motion detector and then if I want it replace to vivint motion detector I have to pay $70. I told them why do I have to pay $70 when it should've been replace when they installed vivint in my house. I am so disappointed because when I switched to vivint the salesperson that told me I can have everything that I have from ADT plus the doorbell and camera. Now the vivint was telling me that my equipment is not communicating to their end because it is not a vivint motion detector. Vivint are you really kidding me! You want me to pay so you can install the vivint equipment in my house! It should've been installed from the beginning anyway!

Vivint response

Roda, we will gladly help you with that! Please email us at socialcs@vivint.com at your earliest convenience for further assistance. Thank you!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

If I could give zero or negative stars I would. Vivint’s customer service team should be called “relentless sales team” instead - every point of contact from Vivint is forcefully turned into sales pitch; you, as a customer, will never matter & will never be heard. To keep a long & very painful story short. My husband & I have paid upwards of $1500 (& have spent 20-30 hours on the phone in frustration) attempting to work with this company & close our contract. They continue to call/email with more pitches to “save our account” when we are clearly disgusted & have just paid $400 additional to disconnect service.

Run for the hills... Go with any other Home Security or Smart Home & save yourself the headache & nightmare of being locked into a contract by a company who clearly would rather be forceful than ethical. You will never speak to a ‘person’ at Vivint, only a relentless sales script robot that is designed to milk you dry rather than take care of you as their customer.

Vivint response

Fiona, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to discuss your concerns with you. Please reach out to us at socialcs@vivint.com

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

My experience with Vivint home security was horrendous!!! They sent out service technician that don’t even know what he was doing. Their technician bore holes on my wall and patched it like he had put chewing gum to cover the hole he made. He then installed the outside camera where you can reach it if you’re a six footer and just knock it down. The worst part was he coiled the wires on my garage door bar that made my garage door almost fell and hurt someone and reimbursement was after 3-4 weeks. They also broke my thermostat and we now have to call a HVAC repairman to fix it. And of course they just told me that I will have to wait again for a few weeks to get reimbursed.

So much headache and hassle for a home security. And to think I was really nice to have fed them. Very unprofessional and poorly trained technician. They don’t deliver what they promise when they were selling the product. Will never ever recommend them to anyone. Never had problems with my garage and thermostat until Vivint came to my house!!! VIVINT DESERVE NO STAR AT ALL!!!

Vivint response

Mary, thank you for your feedback. We don't like to hear that you're upset and we would be happy to assist you. Please email us at socialcs@vivint.com so we can assist you further.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I was promised a military discount upon set-up of service. I asked again when the installers were here and they said to speak to a customer service rep. I called while the installers were here and they said to give proof of military ID to the installers. They in turn told me to call the billing department because they did not handle that. I called billing and was told I was going to be transferred to ROR. I was hung up on during the "transfer". I just want the service I was told I was going to get. On the home monitoring screen the cameras just flash without getting a clear picture. Also the clips do not accurately reflect the camera listing.

Vivint response

That would be frustrating, Angela! If you could please contact us at socialcs@vivint.com, we can look into potential resolutions for you. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I like Vivint's real-time knowledge of someone being at my front door and the peace of mind the system provides. Their sales representatives were professional. I had a good experience with them and I had confidence in what they're telling me. The installation went good and the tech was knowledgeable. They were able to answer all of my questions and took time to help me get comfortable with the customizing and personalizing per what I needed.

Vivint response

Dave, thank you for the positive feedback and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Vivint Company Information