Call toll free

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.32/5
Based on 2,428 ratings submitted in the last year
Visit Website

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Smart Home Gallery (2)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Vivint offers advanced home security systems and home automation integration with 24/7 monitoring available for a simple monthly fee.

PROS

• Contract-free option available
  • Advanced technology and integrations
  • Fully customizable

CONS

• Professional installation required

Top Vivint Smart Home Reviews

Very easy to use and works great. The installation person was very nice and finished in less than 4 hours. They have many different options that you can choose from which makes it very easy to create a package for your home.

I love the features of the product. I love the fact that it has turned my home into a smart home while keeping it secure. The people are great and willing to help. They worked to install things where I wanted them when others said they couldn't.

Information from Vivint on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Vivint has adopted several procedures to help contain the spread of the coronavirus and ensure the safety of its employees and customers. The company is performing daily health checks on all employees. Vivint's technicians are also following the social distancing guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and using protective sanitary equipment, such as gloves and hand sanitizer, when possible.

Vivint Cost

Vivint pricing starts at $29.99 per month and will rise as you customize your home security package. All packages include the following:

vivint skycontrol panel
Home security system
vivint doorbell camera
Doorbell camera

Vivint monitoring and packages

Vivint offers home security and home automation packages, including 24/7 monitoring and video surveillance. Vivint’s contract terms range from 42-60 months, but you can avoid a long-term contract altogether if you purchase your equipment up front.

Vivint home security packages

Vivint offers 24/7 monitoring on all of its home security packages. The monitoring department will be able to get you help in an emergency, from break-ins to medical alerts. Vivint has highly customizable packages, but each package starts with the basics: a burglar alarm, smoke detector, water sensor and CO detector. From there, you can choose to add-on more security equipment, including cameras, sensors, smart locks and more.

Vivint home automation packages

Vivint home automation starts with SkyControl Panel, standard on all packages. The SkyControl panel will act as your automation hub, complete with a two-way talk feature to communicate with Vivint’s monitoring center.

The SkyControl Panel’s touch-screen dashboard comes with free professional installation and includes the following features:

• Arm and disarm your system
  • View security camera footage
  • Panic button
  • Adjust thermostats, lighting and appliances
  • Two-way communication
  • Encrypted network
  • Wireless connection
  • Backup battery

You can also choose to run your Vivint home automation through a smart device like Google Home, and easily control features like temperature, lighting and your security system with just your voice.

Vivint equipment

Vivint offers both pre-designed and custom equipment packages. You can add any of the following equipment options to your home alarm or home automation package to design your ideal home security system. Vivint requires professional installation for its equipment, but will generally waive any installation fee.

• SkyControl panel
  • Lamp module
  • Google Home

Home automation equipment

Element Thermostat
Vivint’s smart thermostat has built-in automation to optimize your home for both comfort and energy savings. You can control the device remotely through your phone or with voice control devices like the Amazon Echo. Features include mobile alerts and humidity tracking for optimized air quality, in addition to energy-saving automation features. With the Element thermostat, you can set home and away times to use less energy while you’re out of the house and save big on your bills.
Smart Locks
Lock and unlock your home remotely through Vivint's app, receive alerts and notifications when your door is left unlocked. You can also enter your home with a PIN code, even if you've lost your keys. Your smart home system will disarm your alarm, turn the lights on and adjust your thermostat to your preferred setting upon entering your home.
Garage Door Control
Open and shut your garage door from anywhere with your mobile device. With smart home functionality, you can even receive an alert on your phone when you’ve left your garage door open.
Ping Camera
A ping camera is an indoor camera with two-way talk features that allow you to communicate with your family, even when you're away from home. Ideal for families with children, the ping camera can connect your kids via your phone with one touch and give you a live, visual feed to what’s going on at your house.
Doorbell Camera
Vivint’s doorbell camera features a wide-angle lens, 2-way talk capabilities, night vision and can record video 24/7 for up to 30 days. The doorbell camera integrates with VivintSky, allowing you to unlock your front door, open your garage door or turn on your lights. You’ll get notifications anytime the camera detects a visitor, and smart motion detection will initiate an automatic 30-second smart clip anytime it detects a person is approaching your property.
Philips Hue
Vivint’s smart home lighting, Philips Hue, wirelessly connects for simple mobile or voice light control. You can set custom lighting rules, enabling lights to turn on and off on a schedule, and lighting groups to coordinate floors or other areas of your home. The smart lighting equipment operates with LED bulbs.

Do we recommend Vivint?

Vivint has robust home security and smart home offerings. We like the fully customizable package option, meaning you can get exactly what you want without paying for what you don’t need. Vivint’s systems protect users from intrusion as well as monitoring for catastrophic events like fire, flood and medical emergencies, making it a system anyone would feel secure having.

Vivint Smart Home Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

We’ve had Vivint's system for a while and it seems to work just fine. One day somebody knocked on our door, came in, and we discussed having it. They were really polite. First it was a young lady, and my husband happened to be off that day. He sat down with her. She was really nice and whatever she said convinced my husband. It was just a little bit funny, and that was really hard to do.

I thought we would have some problems. Our neighborhood is pretty quiet, but things change in every town and this is now getting to be more of the central part of town so it gets more traffic and people that we don’t know. We live in a little cul-de-sac and we have about five houses for sale. They just moved people in to rent them for a while ‘til they can get them back on the market. We lived here since 1974 and we do not have but one original neighbor anymore. This is a military town. A lot get transferred.

Vivint put the system in the same day. We’ve got the motion detector in one room that catches all the doors that come into the house if somebody walks a few steps. I don’t know if it’s still working or not. I imagine it has to have a battery and we can’t reach up there to do that. But outside of that, we’re doing okay. I’d like to have one of those cameras myself, especially if would be by myself for a long time when my husband goes on his fishing trips, and things like that. That gives you a visual but without having to open your door. We really appreciate what Vivint did. We’ve had the alarm go off by accident ‘cause we forgot we had turned it on and they still checked with us. I would recommend them. If they worked hard enough to get storm windows off, and then the indoor window, they will deserve whatever they can get.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback, Saundra. We really appreciate being able to protect your home and your family.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I originally wanted a wired system in my house. But somehow in the construction, there weren't any wires put in because the contractor thought that a wireless system was better without telling me. When I moved into the house, I was gonna go with the wireless system from this particular company had these obtrusive huge boxes that went on the windows. They couldn't do what I wanted and so their representative told me, "Look, I have a friend who works for Vivint. Let me have him call you, 'cause I think their system will do what you want. Their technology is more upgraded and all their product designs are much smaller and sleeker and less obtrusive." And so, I was referred to Vivint and I was interested in what Vivint had to offer.

The young fellow from Vivint that came and did the install was great. He was really careful with everything and he was very good at explaining to me what he was doing while he was doing it. Everything in the service has been great. I noticed that a lot of people in my neighborhood have been upgrading to security cameras, but I haven't really felt the need. I like the Vivint doorbell feature and that's been great. All in all, once the system is on, I set it and I can turn it off. I certainly don't think about it anymore.

We get a lot of summer storms in Alberta and we had no power for 30 hours one time. Vivint called me on my cellphone and said, "You know, your battery, you need to plug your system in." I said, "Oh, can't, sorry." And they were like, "Oh, it's been that long?" And I said, "Yeah, there's nothing I can do about it. I've got no alternate power source." So, we got to a point where I had no security anymore simply because of power. I don't know if there's something they should think about. I'm sure there's lots of places that these things happen, where there's extended power outages, so maybe a bigger battery life would be better, just like what everybody wants in their cellphones. Other than that, I have recommended Vivint to people.

Vivint Smart Home response

We appreciate your feedback, Cinda. Thanks for sharing!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I liked Vivint's technology. There is the ability to check it out via phone and everything. But there are a lot of unfulfilled promises. There was a lot of stuff that I was told about the system that was not right and not true. The biggest thing was with the battery. Whenever we had a hurricane come through and we weren’t at home, our system would already be dead and we would call up Vivint. We were told that the batteries were there for a couple of hours as backup and not two days. But I was initially told that the backup battery for the system would last for three days.

I've spoken with credible technicians that are both on the sales side, customer service and the actual installation technician. There was one girl that did the majority of the installation who was far from professional. She drilled holes in the wrong places of my doorframe. She said those were just little holes and that they were not a big deal. But it was my house and that was a big deal. And whenever she ran the wires in the attic to one of my cameras, she didn’t bother to wrap them along with the rafters and formers up there. She just threw the bundle up over like boxes of Christmas ornaments. We didn’t find that out until a few days later when I went up there to get stuff. With the front door, she didn’t chisel everything out properly and we were having problems with it or cracks with the door from her work.

We had a lot of various serious problems. I finally got ahold of the regional manager. I told that this could be fixed today or tomorrow. Their people can come and leave all of their equipment in my house and put it back later. I also told the regional manager about the girl who did the installation and he told me not to worry. It would be taken care of and that he would send out his best technician. The stuff that was messed up was corrected and I appreciated that. The customer service in getting it fixed was immediate.

I also have the garage door monitor which sometimes randomly stops working and that isn't very helpful. But I like being able to look at and check out my house. We live down in Florida so whenever a hurricane comes here and we evacuate, we can check on our house. Overall, we're happy with the system. It's good. They are still some hiccups but I know that it's still a relatively new technology. I have recommended Vivint to friends. I told them that if they are looking at alarms and cameras, they shouldn't push Vivint out. They should at least look and see what they have once. It's a technology that other companies don’t have.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thanks for the feedback! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

We enjoyed the way that Vivint was going to integrate our whole system with a camera, and not just the front door, but also our thermostat. The installation of our system went fine. I just don’t like the fact that everything is integrated with the internet. So, if the internet goes off, everything goes off and it takes a while to fix that sort of thing. And if I phone customer service, it really takes long for me to get the system back on. I don’t like that. Then if I have to get someone to fix something, I have to pay $45 for that. I don’t like that idea either. I feel like I’m already paying every month.

We’re also having a problem with one camera on the back. It’s kind of gotten loose and it’s hanging weirdly, but it’s still taking pictures. I called Vivint and the guy told me that I will have to pay $45 for someone to come out. I was standing there wondering and that was more than 45 minutes on the phone with them. They were telling me how I could do it so I don’t have to pay $45. So, I was climbing my chair in the corner with my camera. It was really high, and I was standing there trying to fix the camera. And the more I was turning it, that was when it came loose like that. And I told him, “It’s loose now. It’s hanging.” And he was saying, “No, you can fix it.” I couldn't fix it, so it’s just been hanging there ever since. Also, I just want to double-check my doorbell because it doesn’t work as well as it used to. But other than that, it’s fine. We had no problems.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback. If you have any concerns or issues, we'd like to help. Please Chat in with us 24/7 so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Good experience overall. So far, I love my new security system and the functions it offers. The tech (Anthony) that came out was great and very knowledgeable! Advised well as to where to position the cameras. Did very clean work and was not sloppy. Made holes only when necessary and positioned cameras well to maximize the coverage.

The rep. was not as helpful. When I called to ask about the system and get a quote, I was not told that cameras can not be installed to a detached garage. The rep. even pulled up the satellite view of the layout of my home. The tech informed me if this detail, whiched changed the original order request and the number of cameras that were installed and how they were positioned.

Also, had an issue with the original appointment time. Was sent the confirmation for the wrong appointment time even though the rep. was told that I couldn't be home before a certain time that day. Contacted him to let him know. I was advised that it would be changed, but came to find out that it was not corrected. He just put a note in the system.

The tech that was scheduled that day, texted me letting me know they were on their way. I contacted him and we had to change the appointment to a later date due to the error made by the rep. Another, thing promised that was not fulfilled. Like I said, overall the experience was good. It was very easy to get a quote and customize a package according to my needs. The tech that did the work was very knowledgeable and showed how to use the system and equipment.

My only issue was the rep. I worked with. I feel he was too excited in making the sale, that he didn't advise properly and made promises that the tech was not able to follow through with. It could also be a bit of lack of experience or training. Not really sure which. I think if Hogan had a little more training or a refresher course, it would benefit him and any new customers that call in.

Vivint Smart Home response

Hey, Caterina! Thank you for the positive review, we are happy to hear everything is going well! Please let us know if there is anything we can help with!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Smart Home?

Original review: March 27, 2020

Thank you Vivint. The install went well and the tech was very friendly and professional. He explained the system and it was a lot to try to remember, but the tech made sure to remind me that I could download the instructions. Thank you for providing me and my home with security.

Original review: March 27, 2020

The technician was excellent in everything that he did. I understood all the things he explained to me and above all he was kind and understanding. It would have taken a lot longer to install the equipment because the person who input my information on the phone yesterday misspelled my name. The technician identified it and it took him a shorter time to rectify this problem than I thought. He was amazing.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Justin is a very very good person and a very very good tech. He did a very good job. Glad I was able to get him for my install today. He did a good job explaining the new system to me. If I have any questions I will let Zack know.

Original review: March 27, 2020

Phillip was absolutely wonderful! He walked me through the package that worked best for me. He was courteous, understanding and a total gentleman. I’ve received more than 3 quotes but due to Mr. ** I decided to go with Vivint.

Original review: March 27, 2020

I had a great experience with Vivint starting with a sales person Ron **, who did a great job walking me thru the entire process and explaining the products. I also had a wonderful experience with technician Tony, who is also very experienced and knowledgeable. He did an amazing job installing all equipment. Both of your team members were very professional and personable. Great job Vivint!!

Vivint Smart Home Company Information