Call toll free
3.95/5
Based on 2,983 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Gallery (2)
A-BBB Rating
View More View More

10099 Vivint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 20, 2019

We've experienced nothing but issues every few months with this system. For example, they installed a faulty tilt sensor for the overhead garage. The replacement stopped working with a few months. The other sensors and front door lock require battery changes often. It seems we can't go 30 days without some error message about a sensor not communicating with the system. The broken glass sensors are not working anymore. The app doesn't connect to speak to the doorbell camera and list goes on and on. All of these problems were experienced within the first year of installation. For the thousands we spent on this system, we expected more.

Get expert buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 20, 2019

When Vivint was starting, one of their salesmen came by our house and talked about them. They had a free installation then and so I decided I'd use their services. I've been with them for seven years now and I like that they let me pay yearly instead of monthly. However, when I went and got their doorbell, I started having issues with my home security system. First, it would have been nice to be told that they were gonna drill through my doorframe in order to get it connected to the outlet. No one told me that they were gonna do any drilling and that the doorbell needed to be plugged in anywhere when I ordered it. The frame that I have is steel, so I got a little bit upset about that. I wasn't there at the time of installation, only my wife was, but they also didn't ask her. They just did what they needed to do.

Then, before having the doorbell, everything was great. I get on my cameras on my phone and I see everything. Now, I've been losing connection and data. I've called Vivint about it but nobody comes out at all. They only talk to me over the phone and they tell me what to do in the panel. I do what they say, and after 40 minutes of repeating the troubleshoot and rebooting the panel, it would work. But then within a couple of weeks, like right now, I don't see the doorbell when I check it. There's a microphone with a slash over it and I can see the street, but it's frozen.

The last time I called, they sent out someone to advance the power of the signals. I'm putting it right by the doorbell, but it's still the same. It's still going on and off. I'm getting tired of calling Vivint and having them fix it. I've already called to see how long I had to go in order to get out of the service because it's frustrating. They told me that I could get out of the contract, but I have to pay so much money because I got the free stuff and all that. So I'll just wait it out.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Was lied to during the process. Still trying to get everything sorted out. You are not truthful and you mislead customers. Your product should sell itself. When you mislead customers you are going to have problems. You also should leave ‘how to’ manuals.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We were repeatedly assured by the service and our installation representative that the Wi-Fi connection we had would let us see remotely who was stealing equipment off our farm. Unfortunately unless you're near the pad you cannot no matter what additional equipment they give you or your provider Wi-Fi sells you you cannot use this system and view it remotely. So I now have upwards of $3,000 invested in a system that still is not working! Since we are out of the window of time when you can return it all in and stop the contract we are stuck. Very happy with our installer Austin but he too gave us false information.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Your Field Service Home Pro Carlos ** was absolutely the Best! Very professional and knowledgeable about your service and installation! You have a very dedicated and outstanding employee! He was always on time and kept me informed on every aspect of the installation. Kudos to Carlos!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: March 19, 2019

On Saturday, 3/16/19 around 4:45 pm, I put on my house alarm, including the motion detector. Then I left my house at that time. There were no pets or any moving items in my house when I left that day. According to the motion detector itself, something “triggered an alarm at March 16, 2019---5:23 pm”. Vivint called me at 5:24 pm, but I was at church and had my phone turned off. Then Vivint called my daughter to notify us of the triggered alarm. My daughter told Vivint that she was very concerned. When the Vivint representative said that they were going to “dispatch someone”, my daughter told them she wholeheartedly agreed that police should be dispatched to my house.

In the meantime, while I was at church I happened to notice the missed phone calls so I then called with my daughter. After my daughter called me to tell me that my alarm had gone off, I raced home and arrived at my house at 5:48 pm. When I pulled into my driveway, there were no police or anyone else around. I was very scared that there were dangerous intruders in my house. Before I got out of my car, I called Vivint back to see what had occurred at my house. I called the phone number that had placed the call to me previously. Her name was Olicia (sp?) and she acted like I had awakened her from a nap. She acted like she had no idea what had happened and just kept repeating what I had said. Instead of answering my questions, she acted confused and was asking me questions. In the background, there were two other people (I think a male and a female) who were arguing VERY loudly.

After Olicia could not help me, I asked to speak with someone else. Then Olicia put me on hold for at least 20 minutes of our 27 minutes, 54 seconds phone call. She then suggested that I talk with Remarrio (which I never did). Because of the horrible service that Olicia was giving me, I told Olicia I wanted to disconnect my service. She told me that it would cost me $1,619.46 to disconnect my service. (Of course, I was not informed of this fact before the security system was installed.) After receiving no security help from Olicia with my phone call to Vivint, I entered my home with very much fear. No police ever showed up at my house. And I never heard back from Vivint that night or any time afterwards.

Since that experience just a few nights ago, I do not trust Vivint at all. I actually feel more vulnerable with the Vivint security system than I would without it. I am not safe with Vivint and I want to be disconnected totally from Vivint immediately. Vivint gave me NO paperwork on the day of installation. I have not known how to contact Vivint. All I knew was that Vivint was associated with Dish TV.

On the day of installation, I was also told that there would never be a moving charge, but I have since learned that there is. In order to make payment “easier”, they offered an automatic draft from my credit card on a monthly basis. I was told that the monthly payment would be $29.95. But I was not told that, along with my payment, they would also deduct $9.95 on a monthly basis for “VIVINT CITIZENSONELOAN”. At this time, I wish to totally disconnect and discontinue my service with Vivint. (I never received any paperwork or bills from Vivint. I guess they think it is easier to cheat a customer, if the customer has less evidence.)

Original review: March 19, 2019

I feel good with the features that are offered by Vivint. I've been having Vivint for about five years and it has a few more features than with ADT. Also, my experience in dealing with Vivint’s customer service team was very good and my interaction with the sales rep was decent. Overall, I’m 99% satisfied with the service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Moved into a home with precious Vivint service. Constant beeps. Multiple attempts to stop panel from beeping. Random alarming after over one year in home tonight. For three hours multiple attempts to stop it. Finally had a friend tell us how to disconnect the panel power red cable. Then the cops show up. This company response and customer support was a joke and they caused a ridiculous waste of our police force time tonight. Will never be a customer and will never recommend to friends.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I have spoken with your Customer Service Representatives more times than I care to speak about. I called Vivint in April of 2017 to inform your company that we were moving. Your Customer Service Rep stated that the equipment needed to be removed & taken with me. I asked them, “Now”? They replied yes. Three hours later, with all of the equipment in my truck, going down the highway, the Alarms start going off in my vehicle. The very same company that I spoke with hours earlier notifying me that the Alarm has activated & the Fire Department is being dispatched. REALLY?

Your company cannot even communicate internally!! I’ve called & been placed on HOLD for hours, had your people come to our home which is a Smart Home & pre-wired with all Security options. Your company on the very first visit trip into our New Home proceeded to remove the Ecobee Smart Thermostats, Relocate the Existing Brand New Security Equipment & put it into our Utility Room because your Door Camera wouldn’t communicate with the panel.

After spending a half a day here, & Cigarette Breaks every 15 minutes, the installer said that “he was unable to complete the job”! And that I needed to reschedule someone else to come out. After Multiple call outs & numerous incompetent people & over a YEAR, I find out that there is no SECURITY alarm on the windows. They did tell me when the Door opens & nothing else!

The Camera would go down so often there was no reason in having it. When I out of town or at work it would signal that someone is there, but that’s it. When it went down, you had to be there to physically reset it. They offer to sell me more products, extend the contract. On July 17th, 2018, I emailed your company terminating our agreement as Vivint DID NOT fulfill the terms. I spoke with Customer Service & they said “There’s a Contract, A Contract works two ways." This is the third & Final Notice to Vivint. I should be filing a suit against Vivint for damages to our home. They continuously say "This call is being recorded."

Original review: March 19, 2019

During the installation, the first technician who came left because it started sleeting outside. It was a pain to get a hold of somebody to come back out, but Vivint talked to me and took care of me on some stuff so when the installer finally came out, it was fine. Vivint took care of me, made it right, and everything was good. My system is working as advertised and my satisfaction with the overall service has been great.

Original review: March 18, 2019

A salesman came to our door in the Summer of 2018. We were right in the middle of a move to another state. The guy told us that we would not have to worry about the equipment because the only thing I am obligated to pay for was the panel. We were told that everything else was free and that we could cancel at any time so long as we pay for the panel. They threw in some Google Home things which I told him I did not want because I work for the government and did not like the idea of something monitoring my potentially sensitive conversations that I could have at home. I was told again that EVERYTHING was free except the panel and that we could just keep the Google Home things.

Fast-forward 9 months, we have moved twice (from home to rental in new state, to new permanent home) and the panel is now broken. I log-in to Citizens Bank and Vivint and learn that the loan was for $900!!! They charged me for everything they gave me. Additionally, they told us to leave all the old equipment which further instilled the idea that the equipment was free. The salesman said leaving the equipment helps him so that he can come back and see if he can sign up the new owners of the house. Bottom line, this is not what I agreed to. I have been scammed. I am going to call the BBB and the Federal Trade Commission and the police departments in Arkansas and Georgia where Vivint operates in order to launch complaints. They must be held accountable. Please let me know if there is a Class Action lawsuit ongoing. I would absolutely like to join in.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I’m in the army and I move from one place to another. I was stationed in Colorado, and a Vivint salesman selling the system door-to-door came. He was very mature and he was knowledgeable about the system. He was very good at selling too and would able to sell an air conditioner to an Eskimo. I got their system and the installation guy who came was professional. The salesman was there when they were doing the installation and he explained how things were connected to the monitor.

The guy who sold us the equipment said that whenever I move, I could just leave everything, including the panel, over there. But when I was moved to a place near Texas and I called customer service at the Texas branch, I was told that I should’ve brought the panel with me. I told them that the individual mentioned that they’re gonna have issues and so they gave me another panel. Additionally, I wish the prices for the outside cameras were lower so I can get more stuff. Even so, I'm really happy with the Vivint system.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Vivint was the first company to contact me. And I tend to stick with what I have unless they do something that I don't particularly like. The installation of the system didn't seem to take too long. I've had an upgrade since that time, and they came out and did what they had to do. They explained to me what I had to do and what I needed to do, and it worked the way they said that it would. Any time there has been an issue, I've always been able to contact them and they responded timely. Vivint's system has provided me with protection both when I'm at home and not, and that's all I need.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Switched from ADT. Way better technology and paying less. Excellent Vivint rep, Excellent and fast installation. Nice hub panel and able to connect my previous equipment. New indoor cam and firefighter. All properly working. Very happy with service so far.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I’ve had a terrible experience with Vivint and I’ve been trying to cancel for a long time but apparently, I got locked into a contract. I didn’t even know it is a three-and-a-half-year contract. I’m sure it was in the fine print but I was never specifically told. I don’t think I would’ve signed it had I known. It was right when we had moved in that Vivint showed up at my house and the sales representatives were really pushy to get the system hooked up. But other than that, it was okay dealing with them. The system was installed that day and that went pretty well.

But anytime I call and talk to Vivint, they give me a hard time because I have a hard time remembering my password since I never call them. They won’t even let me into my account. I understand you need to remember your password but people forget things. Finally, they let me into my account and I told them that my Vivint isn’t working. Because we just got internet, the system was not hooked up but they still haven’t sent someone out here. Now, I’m paying $60 a month for absolutely nothing.

Original review: March 17, 2019

Vivint reps came to my house and I decided to get their service since everything seemed to be a good idea. I have the alarm when I go to bed or set it when I leave in the morning. I also have a smoke alarm. Dealing with their reps was very good and they’re always very nice and easy to contact. And I just renewed my contract with them.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Our Vivint Smart Home and security system installation was an awesome experience. The technician was on time, very knowledgeable and efficient. Before our tech left he made sure we received all that we required and that we knew how to fully operate our system that was specifically designed and installed for the needs of our home and our family. Huge two thumbs up for the quality of this product and the service we received from our tech!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I was beyond pleased with my entire Vivint experience from initially calling to setting up my service to the installation to the product themselves. I love the products and feel safe within my home because I have them. My technician was great - he addressed all of concerns, explained all the products and was very patient with me.

Original review: March 16, 2019

The quality of Vivint's equipment, as well as the cameras, is good. I use the smartphone features all the time. Vivint is a good company, and I have no complaints.

Original review: March 16, 2019

There have been some people in other areas of the city that we know that have had issues and we decided to get an alarm system for peace of mind. The sales rep at Vivint that we interacted with was knowledgeable. The features that are offered in our package are good and we’ve been toying with the idea of upgrading a little. Our current system doesn't have any outdoor cameras or doorbell cameras. Nonetheless, the overall functionality and performance of our system are good and I like the quality of the system. There has been on occasion where somebody has forgotten to disarm the system and inadvertently opened the door, and I get a call within seconds of that event, so the system is working. However, my son found out that a competitor offers better rates, so he called Vivint. Vivint lowered the rate for him, but I feel like I shouldn’t have to do that. I should be getting the best price all the time.

Original review: March 15, 2019

I saw Vivint on the billboard and I had a person come out, and they sold me the system. Having the system in our home makes me feel a little more secure to know if somebody opens the door. When I go to sleep at night and if somebody opens the door or window, the alarm is gonna go off. I have been protected with their service since early 2013 and we have pretty much everything included in our service package, except the home automation. It is the one where you can turn the air conditioner up from your phone. I didn't need that and they were charging me $11 a month to be able to do that.

Vivint is the worst company I’ve ever dealt with in my life. The system breaks down all the time and the door handles hardly ever work. Vivint sends people out and tries to charge me for their equipment not working and batteries that have gone dead entirely too often. I had a fire in my bedroom and the fire alarm didn't work. It was an absolutely horrible experience. Vivint is too expensive and their equipment is subpar by far. I would tell others to check the other alarm companies first.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Vivint's service has been excellent. I got a home security system because I like the technology and all the controls you can do from your phone, and my Vivint system has been good all around. I like the AC control from my phone a lot. Plus, their customer service reps have been good as well. In my opinion, Vivint is the best alarm company.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Love my Vivint Smart Home system! The indoor cameras are amazing, HDR and sound. I can speak with my husband thru the cameras. The doorbell camera is the best feature addition to my service. The doorbell camera lets us know who’s been at my home and who rang my bell.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Switched to Vivint from another alarm provider. Switched because of customer service and support, and forward thinking technologies. Price seems comparable to other companies out there. Support via online chat was great, as was sales agent for initial company contact.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I have been a Vivint customer for over 4 years now. I haven't been able to use my device to it fullest potential for the last 6 months. I cannot view any playback recordings and constantly getting an error when I try. I have called and called and each time a tech would take me through a series of steps and ask me to call back within 24 hours to see if it is then working properly. It's not and it will not. I am now on the phone with another tech that is basically wasting my time with these same redundant steps. Why am I having to go through this while I was still paying for the service? If I am only getting half of the services I am paying for why am I still being charged the full price? Please fix, replace or cancel my services. I will gladly return your equipment to you. I have had enough!!!

This isn't the first time I have had issues in which Vivint was unable to resolve. My doorbell camera doesn't look clear at night. Sometimes I can see lights in the distance. Other times it's just dark. If someone rang my bell, steal my mat, or whatever I am unable to see who it is. They renewed my contract when I move to a new home without my permission. If not I would have drop their services long ago. I have another year left (11 months) and I will not keep this subpar home security system. Leaving ADT was the worse move I've made ever!!!

Original review: March 14, 2019

I still have no idea how to work my video doorbell yet after my first experience with customer service and their rudeness I don’t want to call about the doorbell. Too bad I’m under contract for the equipment or I would cancel.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Our installation tech, Christian was awesome, very courteous and respectful and delightful to talk to, explained equipment and process very well and was very helpful in answering any questions and concerns, 5 star service. Wish there were more people like him in the industry. He treated our family as people not just another job, thank you to him.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I've been with Vivint for two years now and they're great. With the kids, having their system has made me feel better. I like my system a lot and I like the features that are on it, like the doorbell camera. Also, while I haven't had to talk to their customer service as everything has been going good, a couple of reps had come by our house to see how I was doing and I've had good interactions with them.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Since the price was right at the time, I had a security system installed and it was quick. I've had it for a year and a half now and the features are good, but there’s not enough equipment. Only one level of the house is covered and my sense of security with the system is poor. I had an attempted break-in a week ago and Vivint called the police, but the police wouldn’t respond. Why bother even having it? I also find that Vivint's system is offline quite often. When somebody tried to break-in to steal my vehicle, the camera in front of the garage was offline so I couldn’t report it to the police. There are always issues and the control panel is iffy at times.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I have been with Vivint for about four years. They have a good package. I like their service and its features are all right.

Vivint expert review by Ben Mannes

Get state of the art home security and automation. Choose from 3 packages for $39.99-$59.99 a month. Contracts are 42+ months, with professionally installed systems and optional warranties. Company focuses on lifestyle solutions and integrates alarm systems with home automation and energy management.

• Customizable: Vivint offers many plans and options so consumers can customize their system to meet their individual needs. All packages include a touchscreen control panel, mobile access, a security system and alarm monitoring.

• Home automation: Vivint's comprehensive home automation allows for video surveillance, electronic door locks, smart thermostat and other extras that make life easier.

• Portable: Renters, military families and frequent movers will appreciate Vivint's easy relocation options.

• Specials: Vivint regularly offers specials for new customers. Interested consumers can visit the company’s website to see current promotions and special offers.

• Monitoring: While most security systems offer monitoring via landline, Internet and cell service, Vivint only offers cellular monitoring. Cell monitoring remains active even in the event of an Internet or power outage.

Profile picture of Ben Mannes
Ben Mannes Home and Personal Security Expert

Ben Mannes is a noted subject matter expert in public safety, exam integrity and investigations. He began his work in public safety in 1994 and has a Master’s Degree in Organizational Leadership and a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from California Coast University. He is both a Certified Exam Security Professional and Certified Protection Professional.

Vivint Company Information