Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.54/5
Based on 3,060 ratings submitted in the last year

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Smart Home Gallery (2)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Vivint offers advanced home security systems and home automation integration with 24/7 monitoring available for a simple monthly fee.

PROS

• Contract-free option available
  • Advanced technology and integrations
  • Fully customizable

CONS

• Professional installation required

Top Vivint Smart Home Reviews We Found

Very easy to use and works great. The installation person was very nice and finished in less than 4 hours. They have many different options that you can choose from which makes it very easy to create a package for your home.

I love the features of the product. I love the fact that it has turned my home into a smart home while keeping it secure. The people are great and willing to help. They worked to install things where I wanted them when others said they couldn't.

Vivint Smart Home Call Now Toll Free (833) 830-7970 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

Information from Vivint on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Vivint has adopted several procedures to help contain the spread of the coronavirus and ensure the safety of its employees and customers. The company is performing daily health checks on all employees. Vivint's technicians are also following the social distancing guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and using protective sanitary equipment, such as gloves and hand sanitizer, when possible.

Vivint Cost

Vivint pricing starts at $29.99 per month and will rise as you customize your home security package. All packages include the following:

vivint skycontrol panel
Home security system
vivint doorbell camera
Doorbell camera

Vivint monitoring and packages

Vivint offers home security and home automation packages, including 24/7 monitoring and video surveillance. Vivint’s contract terms range from 42-60 months, but you can avoid a long-term contract altogether if you purchase your equipment up front.

Vivint home security packages

Vivint offers 24/7 monitoring on all of its home security packages. The monitoring department will be able to get you help in an emergency, from break-ins to medical alerts. Vivint has highly customizable packages, but each package starts with the basics: a burglar alarm, smoke detector, water sensor and CO detector. From there, you can choose to add-on more security equipment, including cameras, sensors, smart locks and more.

Vivint home automation packages

Vivint home automation starts with SkyControl Panel, standard on all packages. The SkyControl panel will act as your automation hub, complete with a two-way talk feature to communicate with Vivint’s monitoring center.

The SkyControl Panel’s touch-screen dashboard comes with free professional installation and includes the following features:

• Arm and disarm your system
  • View security camera footage
  • Panic button
  • Adjust thermostats, lighting and appliances
  • Two-way communication
  • Encrypted network
  • Wireless connection
  • Backup battery

You can also choose to run your Vivint home automation through a smart device like Google Home, and easily control features like temperature, lighting and your security system with just your voice.

Vivint equipment

Vivint offers both pre-designed and custom equipment packages. You can add any of the following equipment options to your home alarm or home automation package to design your ideal home security system. Vivint requires professional installation for its equipment, but will generally waive any installation fee.

• SkyControl panel
  • Lamp module
  • Google Home

Home automation equipment

Element Thermostat
Vivint’s smart thermostat has built-in automation to optimize your home for both comfort and energy savings. You can control the device remotely through your phone or with voice control devices like the Amazon Echo. Features include mobile alerts and humidity tracking for optimized air quality, in addition to energy-saving automation features. With the Element thermostat, you can set home and away times to use less energy while you’re out of the house and save big on your bills.
Smart Locks
Lock and unlock your home remotely through Vivint's app, receive alerts and notifications when your door is left unlocked. You can also enter your home with a PIN code, even if you've lost your keys. Your smart home system will disarm your alarm, turn the lights on and adjust your thermostat to your preferred setting upon entering your home.
Garage Door Control
Open and shut your garage door from anywhere with your mobile device. With smart home functionality, you can even receive an alert on your phone when you’ve left your garage door open.
Ping Camera
A ping camera is an indoor camera with two-way talk features that allow you to communicate with your family, even when you're away from home. Ideal for families with children, the ping camera can connect your kids via your phone with one touch and give you a live, visual feed to what’s going on at your house.
Doorbell Camera
Vivint’s doorbell camera features a wide-angle lens, 2-way talk capabilities, night vision and can record video 24/7 for up to 30 days. The doorbell camera integrates with VivintSky, allowing you to unlock your front door, open your garage door or turn on your lights. You’ll get notifications anytime the camera detects a visitor, and smart motion detection will initiate an automatic 30-second smart clip anytime it detects a person is approaching your property.
Philips Hue
Vivint’s smart home lighting, Philips Hue, wirelessly connects for simple mobile or voice light control. You can set custom lighting rules, enabling lights to turn on and off on a schedule, and lighting groups to coordinate floors or other areas of your home. The smart lighting equipment operates with LED bulbs.

Do we recommend Vivint?

Vivint has robust home security and smart home offerings. We like the fully customizable package option, meaning you can get exactly what you want without paying for what you don’t need. Vivint’s systems protect users from intrusion as well as monitoring for catastrophic events like fire, flood and medical emergencies, making it a system anyone would feel secure having.

Vivint Smart Home Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: May 12, 2020

A door to door salesman came to my house last weekend on a Saturday (5/9/20). We have been looking for a home security system and to turn our house into a smart house eventually. So we were pleased when Vivint showed up because the Vivint system is exactly both of those. He showed just before 8pm, which wasn’t ideal, but that’s a minor inconvenience. We built out a customized package for my house, but my wife was unsure due to the cost and needed to mull it over. So we asked the door to door sales guy if he could come back on Monday.

I did some research for the wife and compared Vivint to other house systems like SimpliSafe, Ring, Nest, and Comcast. Of course there are much cheaper options, but I’m more of a person for quality. I’d rather spend a little extra to get something higher quality that will last. I was considering Nest as my go to system until the Vivint Rep showed up, and honestly for the equipment build out, the cost would be close in price for a Nest system and either I’d be stuck installing it, or pay a gross amount of money to have a Nest Pro come install it. The Vivint rep hooked me up with no activation fees and no installation fees and they installed everything that day. The only thing I paid for upfront was the first month of monitoring and equipment (read below for how equipment costs work into the monthly bill).

Working in IT, I already know the vulnerabilities of WiFi based alarm systems like SimpliSafe, so I am not comfortable with those. If your ISP has a service interruption, or your modem goes down, or router goes down, or power goes out, or if you don’t have well configured WiFi security that can be hacked; then those WiFi based systems are extremely vulnerable. That means multiple points of failure. Granted those might be rare occurrences, but you only need it to happen once.

I wanted a system with a cellular chip on its own network with a battery backup, and Vivint is exactly that, but it has a second chip for a second service provider as a secondary service connection backup too, plus they run a fully encrypted system to reduce the risk of getting hacked, which I thoroughly like. So if power goes out, my system won’t go down, or if Verizon cellular services go down, then the cellular chip will switch to AT&T service (or whatever cellular networks the chips connect to), that’s extremely comforting that my house will stay protected longer with less room for error. Another big pro for Vivint is, the company is entirely US based, and they don’t sell your information supposedly, so that’s very nice. They monitor everything here, make equipment here, and provide support from here in the US, no outsourced call centers!

When it comes to equipment quality, I’ve had Ring previously and I feel like the picture quality of the doorbell is lacking, where Vivint is a full 4K quality system and much more clear. Other systems like Ring and Nest only have 3 year warranties on their products, Vivint is a lifetime warranty. So all of this encompassing really sold me on the system.

There’s also another big perk for those who can’t afford expensive systems upfront, you don’t have to pay for all of the equipment upfront! You can pay for it in your monthly bill over the course of 5 years. So for those on a budget, it helps spread out that cost. I figured with 0% interest, you really can’t get a better option, so why not go ahead and do that. Once equipment is paid off, it’s yours and still retains that lifetime warranty, and it’s all still functional even if you disconnect service and don’t want your house monitored, so if you’re moving you can take it all with you! They set you up with autopay too starting day one, so you don’t even have to worry about remembering to pay your bill.

Vivint has really stepped up to the plate and has taken out all of the difficulties involved with setting up a security system and converting your home into a smart home. Honestly, they’ve developed one heck of business model that eliminates all the problems and has a well developed, well rounded, completely guaranteed product that I am extremely impressed with.

Worried about difficulty of use? The Vivint system isn’t too complicated to use. No more difficult than your smart phone honestly. So if you can utilize that well, you can manage the Vivint system. Vivint also connects into existing smart devices in your house, connect your lights with Z Wave switches, it connects with Nest thermostats, connects with echo dots or echo shows, connects to your smart phone and is fully controlled by your smart phone as well as whatever other smart devices you connected! Want a smart door lock? Yep, they have that too.

So far I haven’t had any issues with the system, but then again I’m only on day 2. So you and I both might agree this review is premature. If anything goes wrong though, they do have a 30 day cancellation policy, so you can cut all service and have it all removed if you end up disliking the system. But I’m confident in the product so far. I’m happy with the purchase and think it will serve us well for years to come.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback Patrick! We appreciate you letting us know about your experience with us and why you chose Vivint. When you have a chance, feel free to contact our chat team to get your unique referral code, which can lead to some really great perks, using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I would like to thank three Vivint team members that provided the best customer service possible, and gave my family extra peace of mind during a challenging health situation that I am experiencing. They were very knowledgeable, professional, and courteous, keeping focused on our needs. They paid attention to my questions and concerns and were able to answer them quickly, accurately, and confidently. That's communication! That's customer service! Mr. Brady **'s was my initial contact. He set the pace. I was very impressed. Brady demonstrated true concern and compassion throughout the call, one step at a time. Brady then turned it over to Mr. Devin **. Devin also expressed a sincere interest in assisting me by asking key questions and being prepared with alternatives to custom build a system tapered to meet my needs physically and financially.

Devin showed great patience allowing me to have time to discuss the purchase with my wife, and giving him a return call. Cordial, and prepared to move forward each time. These 2 young men define salesmanship and customer service. Never pushy, inpatient, or bullying, they have what It takes to make Vivint stand out as a premier home security source! The third man, Mr. Steve ** our installer, was not your typical guy. Steve has a great attitude! With so many technicians, you can tell that they work for someone else, lacking in acceptance of personal responsibility and accountability. They seem as though they are waiting for something to come up so that they can drop the ball for someone else to pick up.

Not so with Mr. **! He worked as if he was the owner of Vivint and knew that the impression that he made meant everything. Again, possessing superior product knowledge, Steve was able to further help my family by making sure our system fit our needs and not trying to sell additional items that would simply increase the cost. Steve actually made some adjustments and saved us money with a slightly lower payment than originally quoted. Not grudgingly, but rather genuinely happy to help. His expertise made set up a time saving breeze.

In conclusion, my family thanks Brady, Devin, and Steve for being part of the solution. We'd also like to thank Mr. Todd Pedersen for being a leader that instills quality in his team by setting the example first. What a blessing it is to know even as CEO, Mr Pedersen values customers and team members needs first. Even when presented with the opportunity to sell the company and walk away rich and carefree, he insisted on staying on as CEO to insure Vivint's values weren't diminished. Thank you Eddie, I mean Mr. Pedersen. May God richly bless each of these for their unselfish service to others.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback Roger! We appreciate you letting us know about your experiences with Brady, Devin and Steve, and value the opportunity that we have to protect your home and family. When you have a chance, contact our chat team to get your unique referral code, which can lead to some great perks, using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I originally wanted a wired system in my house. But somehow in the construction, there weren't any wires put in because the contractor thought that a wireless system was better without telling me. When I moved into the house, I was gonna go with the wireless system from this particular company had these obtrusive huge boxes that went on the windows. They couldn't do what I wanted and so their representative told me, "Look, I have a friend who works for Vivint. Let me have him call you, 'cause I think their system will do what you want. Their technology is more upgraded and all their product designs are much smaller and sleeker and less obtrusive." And so, I was referred to Vivint and I was interested in what Vivint had to offer.

The young fellow from Vivint that came and did the install was great. He was really careful with everything and he was very good at explaining to me what he was doing while he was doing it. Everything in the service has been great. I noticed that a lot of people in my neighborhood have been upgrading to security cameras, but I haven't really felt the need. I like the Vivint doorbell feature and that's been great. All in all, once the system is on, I set it and I can turn it off. I certainly don't think about it anymore.

We get a lot of summer storms in Alberta and we had no power for 30 hours one time. Vivint called me on my cellphone and said, "You know, your battery, you need to plug your system in." I said, "Oh, can't, sorry." And they were like, "Oh, it's been that long?" And I said, "Yeah, there's nothing I can do about it. I've got no alternate power source." So, we got to a point where I had no security anymore simply because of power. I don't know if there's something they should think about. I'm sure there's lots of places that these things happen, where there's extended power outages, so maybe a bigger battery life would be better, just like what everybody wants in their cellphones. Other than that, I have recommended Vivint to people.

Vivint Smart Home response

We appreciate your feedback, Cinda. Thanks for sharing!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I liked Vivint's technology. There is the ability to check it out via phone and everything. But there are a lot of unfulfilled promises. There was a lot of stuff that I was told about the system that was not right and not true. The biggest thing was with the battery. Whenever we had a hurricane come through and we weren’t at home, our system would already be dead and we would call up Vivint. We were told that the batteries were there for a couple of hours as backup and not two days. But I was initially told that the backup battery for the system would last for three days.

I've spoken with credible technicians that are both on the sales side, customer service and the actual installation technician. There was one girl that did the majority of the installation who was far from professional. She drilled holes in the wrong places of my doorframe. She said those were just little holes and that they were not a big deal. But it was my house and that was a big deal. And whenever she ran the wires in the attic to one of my cameras, she didn’t bother to wrap them along with the rafters and formers up there. She just threw the bundle up over like boxes of Christmas ornaments. We didn’t find that out until a few days later when I went up there to get stuff. With the front door, she didn’t chisel everything out properly and we were having problems with it or cracks with the door from her work.

We had a lot of various serious problems. I finally got ahold of the regional manager. I told that this could be fixed today or tomorrow. Their people can come and leave all of their equipment in my house and put it back later. I also told the regional manager about the girl who did the installation and he told me not to worry. It would be taken care of and that he would send out his best technician. The stuff that was messed up was corrected and I appreciated that. The customer service in getting it fixed was immediate.

I also have the garage door monitor which sometimes randomly stops working and that isn't very helpful. But I like being able to look at and check out my house. We live down in Florida so whenever a hurricane comes here and we evacuate, we can check on our house. Overall, we're happy with the system. It's good. They are still some hiccups but I know that it's still a relatively new technology. I have recommended Vivint to friends. I told them that if they are looking at alarms and cameras, they shouldn't push Vivint out. They should at least look and see what they have once. It's a technology that other companies don’t have.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thanks for the feedback! We love to hear about your Vivint experiences! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Good experience overall. So far, I love my new security system and the functions it offers. The tech (Anthony) that came out was great and very knowledgeable! Advised well as to where to position the cameras. Did very clean work and was not sloppy. Made holes only when necessary and positioned cameras well to maximize the coverage.

The rep. was not as helpful. When I called to ask about the system and get a quote, I was not told that cameras can not be installed to a detached garage. The rep. even pulled up the satellite view of the layout of my home. The tech informed me if this detail, whiched changed the original order request and the number of cameras that were installed and how they were positioned.

Also, had an issue with the original appointment time. Was sent the confirmation for the wrong appointment time even though the rep. was told that I couldn't be home before a certain time that day. Contacted him to let him know. I was advised that it would be changed, but came to find out that it was not corrected. He just put a note in the system.

The tech that was scheduled that day, texted me letting me know they were on their way. I contacted him and we had to change the appointment to a later date due to the error made by the rep. Another, thing promised that was not fulfilled. Like I said, overall the experience was good. It was very easy to get a quote and customize a package according to my needs. The tech that did the work was very knowledgeable and showed how to use the system and equipment.

My only issue was the rep. I worked with. I feel he was too excited in making the sale, that he didn't advise properly and made promises that the tech was not able to follow through with. It could also be a bit of lack of experience or training. Not really sure which. I think if Hogan had a little more training or a refresher course, it would benefit him and any new customers that call in.

Vivint Smart Home response

Hey, Caterina! Thank you for the positive review, we are happy to hear everything is going well! Please let us know if there is anything we can help with!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Smart Home?

Original review: May 25, 2020

The young man was very pleasant, got to the point, very good salesman, enjoyed his company. The lady who did install equipment was very nice. They both did a excellent job. Will recommend this company to friends and family. Great job you all did.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback Gwendolyn! We are so glad to hear about your experience with your Smart Home Pros and how you're enjoying your system. When you have a chance, contact our chat team to get your unique referral code using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 25, 2020

Andrea was very friendly! I was told install would take 45min to hour but it was more like 3.5 hours. No exaggeration. Installer was friendly and polite but did leave a mess of nails and staples. I have a new puppy who puts everything in his mouth. Bernetta

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you for your feedback Bernetta. We appreciate you letting us know about your experience with Andrea and how your installation went. If there is anything that we might be able to assist with regarding your system, please contact our chat team using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 25, 2020

Professional, thorough and quick. I am very pleased. Abraham and Joe did a wonderful job. Product appears to be top of the line. My only complaint is the boxes being left but I understand it’s because of the customer’s option to cancel and rebox.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you, Daphne, for your feedback! We appreciate you letting us know about your awesome install experience with our Smart Home Pros, Abraham and Joe. We value the opportunity to protect your home and family. When you have a chance, contact our chat support team to get your referral code using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 25, 2020

I was iffy at first, didn't want to waste any more money but when they told me I could save money down the road I was hooked. So I decided to give them a try and once I tried the cameras and I was shown everything they could do to keep my family safe I was glad I switched.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you, Aaron, for your feedback! It is so good to know that you're enjoying your system. We value the opportunity to protect your home and family. When you have a chance, contact our chat support team to get your referral code using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 25, 2020

Vivint installation was done very professionally and with great care. Agent wore mask for safety. We were very pleased all around. We really liked the care he took to be sure we understood everything before he left. He was very prompt and polite. He made sure we understood how to work our panel and phone.

Vivint Smart Home response

Thank you, Donna, for your feedback! We appreciate you letting us know about your great install experience. We value the opportunity to protect your home and family. When you have a chance, contact our chat support team to get your referral code using this link: https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Vivint Smart Home Company Information