3.75/5
  • 1 star
Based on 1,769 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whether you want to keep your family safe and secure, save money on energy bills or control your home with your phone, Vivint Sky has the perfect solution for you. No matter your needs, Vivint’s Smart Security, Smart Energy or Smart Control plan will provide the best options for you and your family.

Vivint Gallery (2)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

6342 Vivint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

The system and cameras took a bit to settle in but my tech Michael was very knowledgeable and helpful. I also called your corporate tech support and received amazing and knowledgeable service! I would strongly recommend this system to friends and family.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

It’s been a week since I had my new system installed. The system is great and I love it. However when he changes my lock he didn’t put it in straight and I cannot use the my phone to unlock or lock because the door doesn’t line up. And if my door isn’t locked the door opens. Is there someone who can fix this? I’d prefer not to have the same fellow come out.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

The camera are a complete joke, they only record for 30 seconds and then take 5-6 minutes to reboot. Complete waste of time and money. I wish someone in the company would have explained things a little more clearer because this is a complete joke.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I contacted Vivint with questions about their products and service. We decided what I needed, made an appointment for installation and within 4 days we were up and running on the Vivint system. I love it. I now have peace of mind whether I am at home or away. Vivint has me covered!l

Vivint response

Kathleen, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us so far. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

3 months of great peace of mind! Great for them partnering with Best Buy. I had them come and install a full security system, along with 3 cameras. Installer was very good, went flawless, and so far the service has been very reliable and a sigh of relief!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

So user-friendly. We had a break-in a few months ago, and this system makes me feel much more safe. The app makes it so easy if you're coming in to the house with your hands full, you can deactivate the system from your phone! We're very happy with it.

Vivint response

Katie, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your system. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My family were all from the Provo-Salt Lake area, so Vivint is pretty big out there. The sales rep came and listened to exactly what we were wanting, and he was able to model the package what we wanted for the most part. I have the HD cameras, a doorbell camera, and several sensors throughout the house from them. We live out in the country, so it's easier to feel better having a couple of those things. We've been looking at Ring and other brands, but none of them were like an actual monitoring service to the way we wanted it. The install guy worked pretty late into the evening, did a great job, and was very kind and courteous. They ended up installing several on our street on that week. Vivint has been pretty popular in our neighborhood.

We've had a couple of issues I needed to look into, but I've been able to troubleshoot them myself. Every once in a while, when I try to talk through the doorbell to whoever is ringing the doorbell through my phone, they can't hear me. It's quiet and I can't figure out how to turn up the volume. But if I use my wife's phone, it works.

We also had a couple of issues where we lost connectivity to the router, but we were able to fix that. It might have been a power glitch. But what I liked about it was finding it out thru my phone app which alerted me that connectivity had been lost. When I forget that I have it on when I'm heading out, the system tells me what sensors have been tripped and I'm able to go to the touch pad or use my phone and disarm it. There's an announcement that the garage door or the front door had been opened, and then it's telling the alarm's going off. The service has been pretty good and I've been pretty satisfied with the equipment so far. It's been seamless with Vivint.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We had been wanting to get cameras for a while. Vivint happened to be doing walk-arounds, and their sales reps were great. When we first did it, we were having a little difficulty starting the account, but the guy came back immediately and helped us with that and fixed it. The install guy was also great. He did it exactly what we asked. We wanted to see if he could kind of hide the wires and he had no problem doing that. Right now, we have two cameras and the lock on the door that we can lock with our apps. So far, we love our Vivint system. I’ve recommended it to people before. Their employees are respectful and it definitely helped to sell the product.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We have the cameras, the doorbell camera, the indoor cameras, the app that monitors or updates, the door lock, etc. It was pretty much for the same price as the alarm company I was using before but had all these additional features I didn't have before. The sales reps were good and the installers were great. They took care of everything and they were able to take care of unexpected changes immediately. There was a time when we set it off by accident. We input the code immediately but they still called to verify so it’s been good. Vivint was referred by a family member and I’m very happy with them. We've recommended them to many people, too. They have great quality equipment and I’ve had a positive experience with them.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Technician did great job to install in under 2 hours. Showed me how the equipment worked and answered my questions. Cleaned after completing the job at my house. Now to get familiar with the equipment. Technician was friendly and courteous and showed his badge and explained how the work will be done at my house. Made sure I was comfortable before proceeding any drilling or cutting into the wall. Definitely appreciate the work done at my house.

Vivint response

Thank you for the positive feedback, Antonio, and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Great service, highly recommend, technician was so nice to my mother in law, easy to work. Customer service was great, easy to get set up, and very thorough. The best pricing, of all the companies, no down payment, easy payment plan. Giving has definitely eased our worries!

Vivint response

Lisa, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your experience with us and that everything is going well. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The technician that came out to install our equipment was very nice and helpful. He was very job knowledgeable and eager to show my husband how to work the equipment. I also refer one of my friends to check it out. Also easy access from my phone as well!

Vivint response

Panedra, thank you for your feedback. We're glad you've received excellent customer service and that everything is going well. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Their sales representatives were very knowledgeable about the equipment and they showed up on time. I have purchased everything in their service package. I have the doorbell, the door and window sensors, as well as the mobile app. Though the installers were efficient I've had a lot of problems with the equipment. They have fixed it for the most part but once they left another thing pops up. Like the garage door sensor doesn't work and I needed to have them come back again. It has taken off so much time from work to do that.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We use Vivint when we leave for an extended period of time. The alarm went off last summer when we were in Colorado. We had an earthquake and one of the doors opened so Vivint called us and did a great job. They handled the situation very well. We've been happy with our experience.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I was using ADT before but I wasn't particularly happy with my service so I was thinking about changing. Then Vivint did a door-to-door marketing campaign in Oklahoma City and they came around at a convenient time so I signed up. Their installation team arrived on time and were great. It took them two hours to set things up and now we have a good user-friendly system. I like it and I'm happy with Vivint.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I had a security system but it wasn't the one that I wanted to use. I knew what I wanted to get then the Vivint rep came and knocked at my door. He was extremely nice and there was a promotion going on at the time. There were things that came with the system and the deal was if I signed the contract for five years, I get all of those stuff. One thing that was also interesting was that when I called Vivint for help, their on-hold message said that they didn't have long-term contracts.

The guy who installed the system did a good job. The first time it was installed, they placed it where my old security system was. But there was an issue with it, so they came back, reinstalled and fixed it with no problem. It's always been a good experience with them. They've always been helpful and they resolved my issues fairly quick. Their device doesn't pick up the best connection in my house, though, so whenever I'm having an issue it's hard for them to remotely address it. So I had to climb in my attic and look for certain things they were asking for and they were very patient, understanding and very helpful. Never once did they seem irritated with the fact that I had no clue. Everybody was also very nice and professional every time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

DO NOT PURCHASE A SYSTEM FROM THESE FOLKS! If you cannot refrain from purchasing their system because you absolutely fall in love with their service, have an attorney read their contract before you sign!!! My mom was living with me when she became interested in purchasing a home security system because of her age. My mom contacted Vivint and had a salesman come out to discuss the purchase of the security system home. My mom was very excited about the protection that the agent discussed and wanted to purchase the system. When I returned from work, the agent was still talking with her. The agent told me that since I was the owner of the home, I needed to sign a document "release" that would allow the company to install their equipment in my house.

What he did NOT mention was that he was binding me personally (NOT MY MOM) into a contract with them for five years!!! I did not find out that I was bound to the system under the contract until I recently placed my home on the market for sale. I contacted Vivint to find out how realtors enter the house with the alarm system in place. When I asked how I close the account, I learned that I am bound to the contract for the full five years and can only buy my way out of the contract for $2876.40! Another interesting piece of additional evidence that the account belongs to my mom is that Vivint has a phone application that manages their security systems. It is downloaded to my phone. The account on my phone is identified as belonging to my mom, not to me!!!

This business should have a conscience! I asked about transferring the service to a new home that I might be purchasing. They told me that if the service was available, they might be able to do it. In reality, I want NOTHING to do with them again! Why would I want to have a company that does shady things install an alarm system in another home of mine? I want the remaining months of the contract after my home is sold to be dropped.

Vivint response

Lori, that is certainly cause for concern. If you contact us at socialcs@vivint.com at your earliest convenience, we will look into that for you. Thanks!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They lied to me multi times and have ended up costing me a lot of money and stress. When I sold my house I included the system because Vivint said I could easily transfer services. I asked 3 different times how to do that and made sure it would be an easy transition for the new owners. It was not. The new owners where livid. I had to wait a month to get the equipment uninstalled so that I could take it back and pay for it and a service I can't use in my new apt.

When uninstalling it they left the equipment with the new owner who now has nice new equipment that they know is expensive and no reason to give it back to me. When I call to Dr how the uninstallation is going they tell me they took the equipment and I get brand new stuff. I don't believe it and ask them to double check. They do and no I am responsible for that equipment that I now can't get back. These people lie! They say anything to get you off the phone and take your money. Now I get to pay for a four year contract and equipment I let sure to their negligence.

Vivint response

P, we don't like to hear that you're upset. We would be happy to discuss your concerns with you! Please email us at socialcs@vivint.com

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Didn't have all the equipment. He didn't answer the question that me or my family had for him. There was no communication when he was going to come back to install the fourth camera. I had to call multiple times just to get a date for them to come out. I am really not satisfied with Vivint right now.

Vivint response

Tevin, thank you for your feedback! We're glad you're enjoying your system and the features it has to offer.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Guy who installed did a great job and his service was great. The keypad was not going to work but he made it work and did a great job showing me how to use my equipment and if I had any issues I could get a hold of him to fix it.

Vivint response

Jesse, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you've received excellent customer service! Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I am just learning the system. Hard to "teach old dogs new tricks". Customer service was great. If only my fingers would work better when putting in the code. And I wish my memory was better. The new technology is terrific! The pictures on the camera are first rate.

Vivint response

Sybil, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your system and the features that it has to offer. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Technician was great. Also customer service was very polite and courteous and answer all of my concerns that give me the confidence in signing up for your service. Technician was on time and very knowledgeable of the system being installed in my home.

Vivint response

Thank you for the positive feedback, Rudolph, and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I've had Vivint for a long time. All my doors got sensors and I also got smoke detectors. When I first got this system I was working night and the wife was working days so when I go to work at night I would turn it on but we hardly even turn it on now since there’s always somebody in the house. Also the reps used to come by and check on me but they haven't been around for a year so I just pay the bill. Vivint’s service was okay but it’s kind of expensive.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

A friend of mine recommended Vivint. I already had a company but Vivint was going to be less expensive so I went with them. The service package included pretty much what I had before like my garage doors, front door, sliding glass door on the deck and the downstairs windows. The one thing that I didn't like at the beginning was that with my previous company, I had two consoles, one in the garage and one upstairs, but I only had one upstairs when I first got Vivint. They eventually designed a secondary console and added that to my system. It was still not 100% good because if I go downstairs, open the garage door mistakenly and forget to disarm the alarm, then I have to run all the way up through two flights of upstairs to sit there and talk to the people. The audio didn't come out of the auxiliary console and I’m not happy that I live with it.

Their sales reps were good but I initially wanted the second console and they couldn't give it to me, so I was disappointed. But they all seem to be professional and knowledgeable. Their installation team talked about several years ago, went out and piggybacked off a lot of my existing wiring because it was less expensive to do that. They got all the installation done and it was a lot less of the hassle since they were using the wireless sensors. They added my wired sensors to it so it came out like I have the same system.

The one addition I had was speaking directly to the Vivint people when there was an alarm. Also, we got a remote key for the system to turn it on and off. I haven't had that before but everybody has them now. The contractor is always an issue especially if you're not planning on staying in the same house for a long, long time. Other than that, Vivint has a lot of new things now going into the smart home type stuff which allows you to control your front door locks and house temperature, but I haven't gotten to any of that.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

We had a person from Vivint come door-to-door and sign us up. We thought that that might be a good time for us to get a home security system, and so we signed up for their plan. The initial sales approach and the installation went perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased with that part of the process. However, we had a number of false alarms due to faulty equipment in my opinion. We called into their service desk. They clickety-clicked around on the back end of their system, and said, “Oh, yeah. It should be fine now.” And then we get another false alarm. In total, we’ve had five false alarms based on the sensors in one of the rooms. We’ve also had a faulty door sensor. The control panel has gone offline a couple of times, and the cameras have dropped offline numerous times where it will require a reboot of network.

Vivint replaced the door sensor. They’ve had their tech support team update the firmware on the control panel. When the cameras have gone offline, they said, “Oh, that’s a network connectivity issue with your internet provider. You have to unplug the wireless access point for those cameras and plug it back and reboot it.” That’s basically all they did on that side.

The false alarms have been the most frustrating. You set your system up, you’ll leave and you’ll get a call that there’s an alarm going off. After the third, fourth, fifth time, you go, “Okay. I’m not getting broke into or am I?” And I also don’t want the local police department saying, “Oh, it’s this family again having issues.” We’ve had them dispatched once. And then I had a dispatch cancelled. The rest of the time when they called, it’s been a frustration where I just say, “Don’t dispatch. We’ll deal with it.”

The after hour support has been spotty as far as the availability of technicians. They have mentioned in their announcement as you’re waiting on hold that the hurricanes and the fires have been causing them problems. They need to staff up when they have problems like that so others can get support. I did some reading on my own and did some changes to see if that’s going to make a difference, based on their website. It didn’t. I’m going to probably call back and tell them to cancel it and figure out how I can get out of my payment contract for the hardware.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

We opted to go with Vivint because of the technology they offered, specifically the doorbell camera. We already had a system installed by our builder so the only things Vivint needed to do was put in their panel, the doorbell, a glass shatter box and a smoke alarm. This process took their tech FIVE hours. He was new and had to be on the phone the entire time being told how to do the install. Next day, we notice the doorbell camera is offline and everything they tell us to do to fix it fails. They then send an experienced tech out.

He gets it working for one day. Mind you, when the doorbell isn't working it literally only rings on the actual doorbell outside and you have no idea anyone is at the door. I missed two important appointments due to this. I then called in to see why it wasn't working. We went over ways to try and fix it but to no avail. By this point we decided to terminate service as we need a company that is reliable enough to protect our home. To do the uninstall I first said that I needed my doorbell back that the original tech took with him.

He was supposed to mail it back to me but I never received it. I followed up with him and he told me he gave it to his manager to mail out to me. Today I find out that this was a lie. Cust svc contacted the manager and he confirmed the tech never gave him the doorbell. Then they tried scheduling for the same tech to come do the uninstall. Seriously? Just no! If you want to work with a company that values cust svc and holds all of their employees to the highest ethical standards then don't use a Vivint! On a final note, I was supposed to have an uninstall appt for 10-12 pm arrival time today. No one showed up so I had to call in. They said "oh, it looks like your scheduled for 12-4 pm. Really? Is that why both the confirmation text and email said 10-12pm. Where is the communication? Still can't get the system uninstalled because no one seems to know where my doorbell is currently.

Vivint response

Jennifer, we would be happy to address that understandably frustrating situation. If you could please contact us at socialcs@vivint.com, we can look into possible resolutions for you. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I had previously been a customer of ADT for the past 10 years, my family too. When a neighbor told me about Vivint and the technology that was offered with their security I looked into it as I have been very interested in getting Smart home technology. I checked online to see what the others thought, and It had bad reviews all over the internet. I had a hard time finding anything positive actually. I was confused because it came so highly recommend by my neighbor whom I trust.

I decided to have the guy come over to speak with my family that set up my neighbor. He was very nice, and was straightforward about the system options, capabilities, and contract. Although it was a 5 year commitment, I didn't mind because I'm not planning on not having security anytime soon. The 0% financing was what sold me because I can pay off my equipment anytime I want and my bill will drop down to what I am currently paying with my existing security provider and have 10x the technology. It also allowed me to get all the cameras door locks, thermostats etc I wanted without taking my nest egg. The system itself works great!! Had to have the tech come back once a few weeks into my service to fix a minor bug, but then have had no issues. The response time is so fast, and the technology works so well. I highly recommend this to anyone!!

Vivint response

Thank you for the positive feedback, Spencer, and thank you for choosing Vivint Smart Home!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I never thought of having a home security system. I was introduced to this by my best friend. We travel a lot and now we have peace of mind while leaving our home unattended. Thank you so much for a wonderful experience.

Vivint response

Natasha, thank you for your feedback. We're happy to hear that you're enjoying your system and the extra security that it offers. Thank you for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My experience with this company started with their predatory sales technique. Within minutes of the police leaving a home that was burglarized during daylight hours, a salesman showed up at my home and started his pitch with my home-alone, Alzheimer's suffering, bed-ridden wife. He had her sign a five year contract, assuring her that the service was essentially free since the insurance rates on the home would be lowered with their protection service.

Within minutes of my wife signing the contract, an installer showed up and, after drilling several holes in our walls, finished his work. On returning home that evening I called the company and asked them to remove their equipment, and terminate the contract. I was threatened with a collection agency for the full five-year contract. I finally agreed to let the contract ride, with the tacit understanding that at the end of five years, the equipment and service would be removed. Never happened. All I get is a run-around from their employees. I would not recommend this company under any circumstances.

Vivint response

Emanuel, thank you for your feedback. We would be happy to discuss your concerns with you. Please email socialcs@vivint.com so we can assist you further.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

The alarm is not communicating with your service. When I called in about it I was told we were not connected to the internet. Our business has been unprotected and we were not aware of it since the panel shows we are armed. Two appointments were set up between 4:00pm & 8:00pm and no one came either time. I was not notified they were not coming. The 3rd appointment was set up for Saturday so I called first to see if they were coming and was told it had been changed to this Monday. I had not been notified of that at that time. I later received an e-mail saying I had an 8-10am appointment on the 13th, which I will keep. Hopefully you all will too this time. The worst thing is it not communicating and us having no way to know this. Is there a way to check it?

Vivint response

Joanne, we would be happy to help you out with that understandably frustrating situation. If you could please email us at socialcs@vivint.com at your earliest convenience, we'll check it out. Thank you!

Vivint Company Information