Vivint Smart Home

Author picture
Written by Amanda Futrell
Edited by Jon Bortin

About Vivint Smart Home Reviews

Vivint is a home security and home automation company that offers professionally installed and monitored customized security systems with 24/7 support. Its product line includes integrated security and automation systems, outdoor and indoor cameras, doorbell cameras, security sensors, smart locks and smart devices for lighting, temperature, locks and garage doors. You can call or go online for a free quote from Vivint.

Pros

• Fully customizable systems
    • Professional installation
    • Contract-free option
    • Complete control with Vivint app

Cons

• No DIY installation option
    • Relatively high costs

Bottom Line

Vivint is a good choice for those willing to pay a bit more for a customized home security system with professional installation. All plans include a centralized hub, sensors, app control and 24/7 monitoring and support.

Information from Vivint on the coronavirus (COVID-19)

Vivint has adopted several procedures to help contain the spread of the coronavirus and ensure the safety of its employees and customers. The company is performing daily health checks on all employees. Vivint's technicians are also following the social distancing guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and using protective sanitary equipment, such as gloves and hand sanitizer, when possible.

What is Vivint?

Vivint designs integrated smart home security systems, including features such as professional installation and 24/7 monitoring. With a Vivint system, you can control security and smart devices such as locks, lighting and cameras on the Smart Hub or using the Vivint app. Vivint’s process starts with a custom design with help from one of its Smart Home Pros.

Vivint was founded in 1999 and has about 1.9 million customers throughout the U.S. and Canada, according to the company. It is based in Provo, Utah.

Vivint home automation packages

Each Vivint home security and automation system comes with the Vivint Smart Hub, a cellular-connected control panel that connects all your products on a central platform via Wi-Fi. Each package also comes with sensors and 24/7 monitoring.

Vivint’s three customizable packages include:

• Starter Package: This basic package includes the Smart Hub, a flood and water damage sensor and four break-in security sensors.
    • Premium Package: This package provides “complete home protection” and is the most popular, according to Vivint. It includes the Smart Hub and sensors, plus a doorbell camera, outdoor camera, 90-second “Smart Clips,” a smart lock and a Vivint key fob.
    • Premium Plus Package: Vivint’s highest-level package includes everything in Premium, as well as an indoor camera, smart thermostat and smart garage door controller.

Vivint pricing

Vivint monitoring services start at $19.99 per month plus the cost of equipment. To qualify for the lowest monthly cost, you must spend at least $599 on equipment. Vivint charges a professional installation fee from $49 to $199, but it occasionally offers promotions where it waives the installation cost.

If you purchase equipment upfront in full from Vivint, you can go month to month. Otherwise, you can finance your purchase at a rate as low as 0% and sign an agreement for the length of your financing term (e.g., 60-month contract with a 60-month payment plan).

To how Vivint’s costs compare with competitors’, read Vivint vs. ADT, Vivint vs. Frontpoint and Vivint vs. Ring.

Vivint equipment

Vivint’s base equipment includes its Smart Hub panel, a flood and water damage sensor and break-in security sensors.

You can add any of the following equipment options to your security or home automation package to personalize your system.

The wireless sensors communicate with the hub and app, sending alerts and sounding alarms. They have a five-year battery life.
    The smoke alarm helps shut off airflow in a fire, and the carbon monoxide detector connects you to monitoring if there’s a harmful level of the odorless gas.
    If the camera detects someone, it emits a loud sound and lights up. It is high-definition and has a 140-degree field of view and night vision.
    The indoor camera records when there’s motion and sends notifications to your phone. It also has a two-way talk feature.
    Vivint’s doorbell camera has Smart Deter technology to stop package theft; if it sees someone trying to take a package, it activates a 65-decibel speaker and LED ring. The camera has a 180-degree-by-180-degree field of view and night vision.
    The Kwikset smart lock lets you assign up to 30 unique access codes for family members and friends. You can stay informed on who is unlocking and locking doors.
    Control the temperature in your home from anywhere.
    Manage your lights without flipping switches. You can set custom lighting schedules and save on energy costs.
    Use the app to open and shut your garage from anywhere. The app also notifies you if you leave the garage door open.
    vivint doorbell camera
    Doorbell camera
    vivint garage door control
    Garage door control
    vivint outdoor camera attached to a brick wall
    Outdoor camera
    vivint indoor camera
    Indoor camera
    vivint smart locks
    Smart locks
    vivint smart thermostat
    Smart thermostat

Vivint Smart Home FAQ

Does Vivint have an equipment warranty?
    Vivint covers repairs or replacements of any defective part of a system at no charge within 120 days of installation. After 120 days, Vivint covers replacements of defective parts, but you are responsible for paying a service charge for any service call. Vivint’s warranty doesn’t cover alarm screens or batteries.
    How long are Vivint contracts?
    Vivint states that equipment financing requires a “coterminous” monthly agreement. So if you opt for a 60-month financing plan, you will have a 60-month contract. Month-to-month monitoring is possible if you pay for the equipment upfront.
    Does Vivint work without Wi-Fi?
    You need a wireless connection in order to use a Vivint system. That’s because the Smart Hub, the central control panel, uses Wi-Fi to connect the entire system.
    Does Vivint spy on you?
    Vivint doesn’t spy on you. However, hacking is always a possibility with any home security system that uses wireless technology. Vivint’s Smart Hub encrypts signals to keep cameras, recordings and devices safe from breaches. The company recommends taking steps to secure your wireless network, like regularly changing passwords and updating software and hardware.
    Does Vivint run a credit check?
    Vivint may run a credit check if you request a free quote or make a purchase. When you contact Vivint for the first time, you can ask if a credit check is necessary before proceeding.
    Can Vivint be used without monitoring?
    All Vivint systems include professional monitoring.
    Does Vivint SkyControl have a camera?
    The Vivint SkyControl panel does not have a camera. It is a control panel that allows users to control their home security equipment and communicate with Vivint security professionals. It does provide notifications of camera activity (if you have cameras set up).

Is Vivint worth it?

Vivint is expensive compared with some security systems — mostly because of the cost of equipment. But for those willing to pay more for home security, it seems the ability to customize a system with high-quality safety devices is a big draw. Vivint users say the control panel is easy to use and praise the camera quality — particularly the doorbell camera. They also say installation technicians are professional and take the time to answer any questions you have. If you’re searching for an integrated smart home security system, we recommend getting a quote from Vivint.

For further insight, see how Vivint compares with our top picks for smart home security systems.

Vivint Smart Home video reviews

vivint smart home video review
    Claudia: Hi, my name is Claudia. I am from California. I was looking into Vivint to make sure I had security at the new home I was moving into this year. So I had considered two other alarm companies, but I'm pretty well versed in what my experience was with them in my past homes and I didn't want those issues. Vivint, I have seen has excellent camera, like, the, oh, I think they call it resolution. You can zoom in and you can see people at your door. You can even actually see what they're even carrying at your door. So I went with Vivint because of that. And I went online, searching, and actually Vivint contacted me, not, like, in a way where they are marketing, but literally a text came out from one of their people, and it was, like, a live person. It wasn't a automated deal. So I started communicating with him, and then we got on the phone and it just went from there. So Vivint made my purchase process pretty easily. I had looked at two other companies that I chose not to go with. And I was online searching. So that really was a way to optimize my time in looking to get things set up for my new location. They reached out to me via text pretty quickly. I responded to the text. I let that person know that I was going to be moving in around a certain period of time. No pressure. He said, get back to me when I was ready. I was ready. I started to text and ask questions. We reviewed what I would need for my location. And we started to create an order by phone at that point, after we had text a few times. That order was pretty simple. He was very clear in the price and the pieces I would be getting. He even gave me a promo piece that was going on at the time. So that experience was, it was just logical. It made sense. And it made me feel like I would be protected by the items, but also our conversation, he was aware of my circumstances. So he knew that I was really interested in getting it sooner than later. And so we booked a date, and that date, sooner than later, was really what I wanted. So he got me on calendar, and then I was happy to have that install. There was nothing in between that I didn't like as far as my salesperson went, or how the sale went, because it was very clear. I got lots of emails and confirmations from them, but I had referred a friend to Vivint who had then told me they have a F rating on Better Business Bureau. And so I actually text my sales guy and said, hey, this is what I heard. Some salespeople wouldn't respond, because now they think they've got the sale. What actually assured me of going with them was that he responded, and he actually responded with a very diplomatic response, and very transparent. So we went ahead and I made sure I had that appointment on Saturday, and it went from there. So my experience with the Vivint service team was excellent. They were courteous. My installer came to the door with his mask, with his booties. He was ready to enter my home safely. And I didn't feel like I had to question who he was. He identified himself. So that made it great. When he entered, he told me what he was here to do. They have these iPad type tools. And what they do is go over the bill, and the products, and how it's financed, and how everything should roll out, consistent with what the salesperson had told me on the phone and what we had gone over via email. All that was a fact. However, we did make one change. And in that one change, it was to my benefit. We removed something and we added a feature. That feature that we added would actually make my bill go down, but it actually was added safety measure for me. So I thought he was extremely knowledgeable. He had been with the company for a bit of time. He could tell I wasn't so technologically savvy, but I did need something that was gonna protect my house. And he explained everything. What I did like was it wasn't so much about me signing electronically these days. It was more about, there is a feature on Vivint's iPad to verify your face so that you are actually doing an audible yes or no, so that there is no way that you could be mistakenly or forging anything. It was just, yes, this is me. Yes, this is me, and I agree to this. So I like that deal. I'm being transparent. They're being transparent in what they're providing. So if there are any changes later on, I surely was made aware. He was timely. He got everything done pretty quickly for me. He reviewed everything a few times, and then he left. And I just thought based on his knowledge, I accepted his expertise for the recommendation based on his several reviews. I appreciated his transparency. He was courteous when he needed me to refer to something while he worked in my house for a couple hours. I came back, I acknowledged what he needed, then I went on. So I actually even felt safe while he was in my house doing what he needed to do. So my experience with him was great. My follow up from all the emails with their team of making sure the surveys that went out, I responded to, and I could only give them top stars because I didn't have any issues from my sales to my installer. So I really think that my Vivint security system is worth it. It is giving me peace of mind. I am able to handle my security from my phone when I'm leaving, when I'm entering, I am able to check my pad. I am able to make sure, and I love, this is what I love about it. My front door, lots of people walk by, it was recommended by my installer to put on the whoo-whoo recording sound. I really do think it's great because it does identify if someone's there in front of my door, the camera's capturing. It's also letting me know someone's there, but it's also letting them know that they're being recorded. So I feel like it's a great deterrent, but I also feel like any activity at my home is being recorded. If there's anything in question it's on camera and any type of entry, in an event of an emergency, and I'm away from my home or in my home, it's been set up to keep me safe, to notify police. Their process in making sure that I'm safe, the calls and things like that, I feel like I'm comfortable with knowing that there won't be delays, and won't be any kind of technical difficulties that would delay in my safety or the safety of my home.
    vivint smart home video review
    Greg: My name is Greg and I'm from Reno, Nevada. And what got me into the Vivint Home System is a roofing project that I have going. The security system was partnered with the roofing company. Actually it's a solar panel company. And that's how I got into the system. Well, you know, we checked out Nest and some others and being that this new Vivint system was provided by my solar panel company, it was a no-brainer to go ahead and get this system. And so far it's been amazing. We had a really nice rep that came out to the house and he went over the whole program with us. Had a nice brochure that we went through. Talked about the different aspects of the home system and some of the add ons that we decided to go ahead and purchase, such as adding extra security devices to each of the doors leading into the house. So we have a total of five of those now. And we went over everything in detail and it was a no-brainer. Very simple to operate and to use. The sales person that came out just seemed to know the system hands down. And they did a great job going over everything with me and installing the device. And they went over it in great detail on how to program it, how to adjust the the heat, how to adjust it so my cleaning people can come in without setting off the alarm. And it was a great experience and, you know, it was good. You know, this is a great system and I'm really enjoying it. And I plan— I think it's well worth the money. Absolutely well worth it. It's not that much a month and I would— I'm gonna actually try to sell this to my friends. But, you know, I love the aspects of being away and being able to unlock the door for people and lock it back up, adjust the thermostat when I need to. Cause we travel a lot and it's a great tool, I guess you could say, for me to make sure I have a peace of mind with my home.

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint Smart Home?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vivint?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

My experience has been overall 4.5 stars because the technician was so helpful on installation day. The sales rep when I first called was very thorough in explaining items and helping me get the customized package I wanted. He sent the information in a timely manner and was very responsive to any questions I had. The only problems I had with those conversations were some things said over the phone about being able to cancel within the first 30 days and the equipment would be taken and no other fees charged, which I learned is not the case; and no initial setup fee for a new homeowner which never made it to the invoice. The next contact I had was the actual appointment which took forever to set and then I was kept waiting and waiting for a technician to show up that never did and never got a call back that he was not going to show up. I was then texted to reschedule which seems very unprofessional and illegitimate.

Finally I set up another appointment and then it was cancelled but by no means at Vivint's fault. The next appointment was made and the technician was beyond helpful, he wore his masks at all times. Was very through in his setup, explained all details, talked me through explanations and any questions I had. If there were any doubts he settled them and offered solutions. The overall experience was good other than the issue with the first appointment being cancelled the day of and no other solution to get it done that day by another technician.

The only reason I bring that up is because in the middle of this past week a younger gentleman by foot came to the door as a Vivint rep and told me he could have set me up that day. But due to certain reasons he could not take me on as a customer until the appointment was cancelled + 2 weeks time. Which makes me ask why it wasn’t able to be setup that first day of the cancelled appointment. To summarize my issues, the communication via text and coming from different numbers and sources seemed very unprofessional, the cancelled appointment the day of with no effort to complete it, and finally the promises made with the initial sales rep that never made it to the initial invoice.

Get buying tips about Home Alarm and Security Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I had a very poor experience with the customer service line representatives I spoke with in the last month. My appointments were not kept and then pushed out weeks with no compensation or compassion behind it but gladly took my payment for the service prior to booking my appointment. I finally spoke with a supervisor after being hung up on by a male customer service rep. when asking for a supervisor and I was able to speak with Suzanne a supervisor and she finally gave me some relief and connected me with Emily who was equally as amazing and helpful and was able to set me up with a next day in-person technician to ensure I would be taken care of and not another failed call by the telephone technicians.

The tech came out today early I might add which was amazing after my experience and gave me the help I needed and even repositioned my cameras to have better views of my property. He was very nice, respectful and prompt in his work and so for Suzanne, Emily and the tech that came (I did not get his name) I will leave a 5 star review. I am hopeful that with this review you can take this back to your customer service and appointment line staff and re-educate on basic human skills to avoid this happening to another person that is just trying to protect their home and make sure they are safe. Thank you.

Vivint Smart Home response

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing, Ddanielle. We are so happy that you had a great experience and look forward to serving you in the future. Thanks for being a part of the Vivint Family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: Aug. 28, 2021

I waffled a little between a 4 and 5 only because we have run into some adhesive issues with the sensors resulting in them falling down and triggering the window to show open. However a 30 second super glue job did the trick and we haven't had any problems since, their service otherwise ultimately earned them a 5. Three years ago an apartment complex was developed across the street from our neighborhood. It was of no concern until the complex decided to drop background checks and their higher credit requirement cultivating a demographic with lengthy criminal records and poverty.

One night, our dogs were violently barking at our sliding glass door staring toward the dark area of the yard, as I looked out two hooded men saw me and hopped the fence to run away. Three hours later they returned, only this time I revealed that I and my wife were armed and prepared to dial 911 to call them an ambulance. This happened at 9pm. Imagine if it were 3am. We had a Vivint Security System installed mostly due to the familiarity of the brand with the commercials and billboards, but we had heard that some security alarms go off and they never receive a phone call from the business which we almost were expecting a little.

Life has taken unforeseen turns and we now have our aunt with dementia living in our basement apartment. It has a separate entrance and occasionally she enjoys strolling outside at 2am. Over the last year she has tripped the alarm probably 15 or so times and not a single one did Vivint fail to contact us within 30 seconds of the code not being input. Not a single time did they call and become annoyed or frustrated at the repeated false alarms. We ended up purchasing all of the equipment and enjoy the $23 monthly service charge for SIM service in case someone got sophisticated and cut the Comcast cable out back removing internet access. All in all, we've never had a problem with the system outside of the early mentioned adhesive problems that have been resolved. Highly recommend.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Aaron! We appreciate you giving us your feedback! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

I wanted to give my experience five star, because the salesman was wonderful and my technician was wonderful. On the flip side, The salesman finished all the eDocs at 2030 Thursday night. Awesome. 2330, we are all sleep and I got a call and text from an unknown Florida phone number telling me that there was a technician outside my door to do a partial installation. My response was: “The hell he is. Absolutely not.” Daylights hours are acceptable. At that point and after the fact, an appointment was made. I simultaneously got a call from my neighbor saying that there was someone lurking around my vehicles. I explained to her about the Vivint technician, and she states that it was “unacceptable and creepy, and would ask that they not return to her house.”

From a business aspect, we both know how important advertising, customer service, and professionalism is to a company. Especially with SO MANY competitors. A million dollar ad is awesome, but you are more than likely to get the bulk of your customers from word of mouth. My neighbor was a potential customer. Not anymore. How many people do you think she will tell of what she witnessed? That is detrimental to your company, and VERY unsafe for your young employees. Appointments and ETA notifications are imperative safety mechanisms put in place all over the country, especially in the Great State of Texas. People are fearful and on level Orange alert. We are an open carry state. Defending our homes without question. Put more thought into this for customer satisfaction, company longevity and employee safety.

I also strongly recommend that Vivint ensures that they have solicitation permits issued by the city to cover salesmen walking door to door in “sizzle a bacon” heat. A lot of communities are NO SOLICITATION communities, and salesmen can be arrested on site. I applaud these young kids wanting to make a decent living, and I’m here for it. But consumers want to also see that employee safety is a concern as well, not just the bottom dollar.

Vivint Smart Home response

Delondria, thank you for bringing this to our attention! We appreciate you giving us your feedback. Please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. We want to make sure any issues are resolved.

Original review: June 27, 2021

What a great experience. From purchase from Matt to the install. Our installer was Josh and he did a great job. Very professional and unobtrusive while doing his work. When he ran into some issues integrating our old wired hardware, he called for Harlow and two other techs showed up within minutes. Our was a pretty big install and they worked together to solve problems and get the job done. They finally finished up at 10:00 pm after starting around 3:00 pm. The only thing that I didn’t care for was the sales pitch that we could get the “discount” price if we were “flexible” regarding installation. We said we were with the thought that that would mean in the next few days with some reasonable notice.

After we agreed to purchase the system Matt made a phone call and we were told that the install crew would be at our house in about an hour. I really didn’t mind that and actually like the idea of getting the install done right away, but we did have plans for dinner with friends and had to cancel that. My issue is that it felt a little like a “trick” and setting a hook after the sale. Just be honest. Tell me that “being flexible” means clearing your schedule for the install crew and possibly doing so on virtually no notice. I would have felt much better had they done that. No one likes to feel tricked or taken advantage of. You have a great product and great employees. Let that be your market advantage. You don’t need to hide the truth of what “flexible” means until the sale is final.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, John! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 10, 2022

Installation was quick and easy. I received same day service. Everyone has been exceptionally nice and very accommodating. Everything was explained perfectly. All my questions and concerns were addressed. The views are great. I love the alerts. This is perfect!

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Tammy! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 10, 2022

I feel that the technician did a very professional job. He worked efficiently and made sure to do a clean and accurate job when mounting the equipment. Technician made sure to walk me through the alarm system as well as the mobile app.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Liz! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 10, 2022

On my first assigned appointment they never arrived, but on the 2nd appointment José contacted me the night before and was also on time. He was very informative and precise and explained how everything works. Unfortunately they were back ordered on the doorbells so he let us know he would be returning to install that in the future.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Juan! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 10, 2022

Technician did a great job, I would recommend everyone to upgrade to smart home features. Price is not bad and great quality for the Upgrades. I like how I can control the garage and thermostat from my phone. I will pass along the word of advice to my neighbors and hopefully they will make the switch.

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Karl! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Original review: May 10, 2022

Yes he was fast, very nice! I never had this service before but when I say he did an amazing job I mean it. I will be recommending Vivint to people!!! He was on time and also had very good communication!

Vivint Smart Home response

That's what we like to hear, Deaisha! Thanks for choosing Vivint to protect your home and family! If you would like to refer a friend or family member, give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. Or you can use our chat option at https://www.vivint.com/company/contact-us?email-chat=1

Vivint Smart Home Company Information