Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 3 stars24
  • 2 stars16
  • 1 stars49
    15%

Freedom Debt Relief, a subsidiary of Freedom Financial Network, LLC, is a group of about 1100 employees strong and growing – known internally as "The Freedom Family". We are energetic, smart & compassionate - but most importantly we are advocates who are all about helping our customers through a tough financial time in their lives. We were founded in 2002 by Stanford Business School graduates Andrew Housser and Brad Stroh and since then we have built the best management team in the industry. Freedom works out of two primary offices in San Mateo, CA and Phoenix, AZ. Our customers, 40,000 and growing, are spread widely across the United States.

Freedom Debt Relief has been working diligently to help me reduce my debt with my creditors and so far they were able to make excellent agreements and reduce it by nearly half. I am so happy with the service they are providing and am looking forward to, with their support, coming out the other end on a healthier financial standing.

One of my creditors has been brought to negotiation. I look forward to the other creditors to be brought down soon.

I have been working with FDR for about 8 months now and they have been able to negotiate 1 settlement so far of the 4 credit cards I had in the program. I know it will be about a 4 year process, but so far, I am happy with the results.

I believe, you should be diligent to contact these printed law firms I send you. Please stay in contact. Banks and law attorneys, have no clue what achievements we have made and what your service is about. Please read and respond. You did not respond to my last request.

Working with FDR has been the best professional experience I've ever had. They are so customer service friendly! They negotiate super lightning fast! So Amazing, love it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

I feel like Freedom Debt Relief is a very, very slow process and I have been in the program for 5 months now. I am actually thinking about leaving the program because they have only settled one account so far. I called to make changes to my contract and have not heard anything back from them (2 weeks).

Wow... I am utterly amazed at how fast my debt is going away. Since the initial start I have been walked through everything and helped at every turn. I am grateful for all the help. I could not have accomplished this debt relief on my own.

I called the other day three times. During these calls everyone was nice but I received 3 different answers until the last. Since I received a summons she connected me to someone else. The main problem I have is y'all will not call a collection agency when the collection agency doesn't know I'm with y'all. Freedom is supposed to speak for me but it takes a summons for this to happen. Then we found out the person that makes the negotiations gets 23%. When I joined I thought Freedom was free but I didn't read the small print and that was never brought up. The small print, my bad, and this will be a learning experience. Like I said the people are super nice but I expected more out of Freedom. I don't like to get a summons before y'all act. I think collection agency should be aware of why I'm not talking to them or paying them money.

You are doing a good job with the limited amounts that I have.

So far no worries. Just need to be a little more informative on where money is going on a monthly basis.

I have had several problems with Freedom, as the program was not very well explained. They will not start negotiating until they have enough funds to pay off an account. I was in the program almost six months before they started my first debt, and while they had enough to pay it off, they instead paid only a monthly payment, taking a year to pay off instead. In the meantime I started getting calls from other cards calling for payment, and ironically some offered me payoffs better than I would have gotten with FDR, so I ended up paying off and NOT paying the 20% fee to FDR.

I finally was down to only one card to pay, and they had me contacted by Consolidation Plus. I assumed since this was part of FDR, I would take the loan, make payments, pay some interest and be done, but then I learned that the $16,000 I owed was settled for about $8,000 but I also owed 1600 for the FDR payment, and with interest I now would pay over $12,000. So, I guess I did save $4,000 BUT my Credit Report is a shambles. This is classic bait and switch and destroyed my confidence in this company.

I have nothing but thanksgiving in my heart for Freedom Debt Relief. They have made this transition of becoming debt free that I have tried for many years to get done so much easier and slightly hassle free. Thanks again Freedom.

Great! I have only been with the program a few months and I have already paid off one of my debts!

Contacting FDR was the best decision I made towards becoming debt free. Everyone was very helpful. A million thanks to all of you. To mention a few: Fernando **, Brian **, Shirmonica ** (my negotiator), Stephen ** and those personnel who answered my questions concerning my account. You won my battle for me. Having you to deal with my creditors/debt collectors gave me peace of mind and saved me from depression and sleepless nights. You were there every step of the way, patiently and clearly explaining the process and what to expect next, etc. It was a leap of faith when I decided to enroll in the FDR program. I am super glad that I did. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH.

Freedom Debt Relief

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience in working with Freedom Debt Relief. We are committed to providing an excellent service experience and want to ensure our clients are completely satisfied when working through their requested debt settlement program. We have sent her a private message so we can investigate her concern.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

I signed up for the debt relief program over 6 months ago. So far, they have just taken my money but haven't consolidated anything yet. Now my credit is even worse. They don't answer my emails or phone calls. I think this company is a scam!!! BEWARE!

We received immediate relief just by contacting Freedom Debt Relief. They take the stress away and rebuild financial freedom.

Freedom Debt Relief

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience in working with Freedom Debt Relief. We are committed to providing an excellent service experience and want to ensure our clients are completely satisfied when working through their requested debt settlement program. We have privately messaged the client to review their concerns.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

My son has had a contract with Freedom Debt Relief for about a year and a half. The company told him they would notify all of his creditors and to ignore any phone calls from the creditors. Last week he received a summons to appear in court to deal with his Lowe's account. Freedom Debt Relief told him they would provide a lawyer for $500, or he could go to court on his own or find his own lawyer. He has no idea what was communicated between FDR and Lowe's so he could not hire a lawyer or represent himself. I feel that Freedom Debt Relief should stand by their clients and provide free legal help in this circumstance.

Freedom Debt Relief

Original review: July 29, 2016

Thank God I changed my mind about going into this or any debt relief company and paying their ridiculous fee. Your own credit card companies will, as they have mine, drop your entire amount down to 50% or less without question, depending on circumstances, and if you keep in contact with them. You may have to pay the amount agreed on over only a few times (my company told me three) and it may be larger sums, but I believe I could even talk further with them about extending that. Or if it goes to further collections, the debt collectors are happy to drop it even further before having to pay a lawyer.

Seriously, I told the salesman, Adam **, I was not interested, over several months ago, and even after I CLEARLY told him, he still pulled money out of my account without permission. I told him to never contact me again and he just did again with this reply today. Adam ** today at 1:40 PM - "Lol, obviously you are the 1 whom is uninformed. I have already closed your file out. When you have trouble it will be too late to get help." VERY PROFESSIONAL!!...NOT. These are not the type of people or company I want handling my money. I hope everyone realizes that you are putting your money decisions in someone else's uneducated and unprofessional hands. You can do the same thing, it doesn't take long, isn't hard, and it won't cost a dime of fees to anyone else.

I am very pleased with Freedom Debt Relief. They are helping me get out of debt instead of filing bankruptcy. They are very easy to work with.

Contacted Freedom Debt Relief in October 2015. The response and results were amazing! I am very impressed. Will recommend this program to anyone.

The only reason I had to go to a debt relief organization was because the man I was dating whom is now my ex, ran all my credit cards up. I hadn't paid attention because I had three neck surgeries and was and still am on pain medications. At the time I was paying between fifteen hundred to eighteen hundred a month on just credit cards. I had to do something, so I called Freedom Debt Relief. I told him I had began the program, his reaction floored me! He said "well you won't be much help now! I moved out of the situation in with a friend.

At first I was concerned because I didn't hear from them for a while, but everything had to wait until about 6 to 8 months when the credit accounts began to send legal letters. That's when I heard from Freedom Financial! They were able to get the amount I owed down, after I agreed to the amount then they began to pay them. I recommended them to my brother who always gets himself in a jam. I have three more accounts that have to come to an agreement. All of this will take three and a half years, in which Freedom Financial takes five hundred dollars out of my checking account each month. So if you're in question if you should do this or not... I recommend you to! In two and a half years I can start bringing my credit back up. And by the way, before I met this man (user) my credit score was 845! Thank you for reading this! I hope perhaps that this may help others!

So far I have very pleased with Freedom.

Customer service are very nice. I get treat with dignity.

I am pleased so far with FDR. I have been enrolled for a short period of time so far and they have resolved almost 2 of my debts which I would still be struggling to pay. I have tried other ways to reduce my debt but it seem like I just kept getting deeper with finance charges. FDR has put me on the right track and so grateful that I have join.

My financial advisor is great at returning emails and keeping me in the loop. I appreciate all of the help! It feels great to be making progress with my debt.

I have not heard from my advisor. I try emailing him and he does not reply.

My payment was taken out too early and over drafted my account. I was supposed to get a refund and never did. The communication is not there. Not satisfied.

I have used this company for the last 5 years. I have one year left and all 9 of my credit cards will be paid off. I started with a total debt of over $90,000! Here is what they do: You give them your credit card information. They negotiate with each company to lower your interest rate, often to 6-8%. The credit card companies will close your account. You pay one payment monthly to Freedom Debt Relief and they pay all the card companies (9 in my case). You still get your monthly statements from each credit card so you can keep track and watch your balance go down. For this, FDR charges me $35 a month (added to your monthly payment). Yes, you could do this yourself, negotiate with each credit card company for a lower rate. But I think the fee is well worth it. They are easy to deal with on the phone and I experienced no "hard sell" or pressure. I would recommend them.

Freedom Debt Relief

We have been in contact with the client in regards to their concerns. While it appears there was an issue with documentation we have resolved that and have been able to explain her dashboard. I have provided her a contact method to myself if they have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: July 23, 2016

When we started this program, our date was July 2016. It went to December 2016. It is now July 2018. I have made all my payments on time. I have a good amount of money in my account. It is half of what we have left to settle. Why is the date getting longer? I have tried several times to get a hold of them but to no avail. What can I do?

I only been with the company for a few months and I am satisfy with the progress they have made so far in helping me settle my debts. I was in a corner and did not know what to do. Freedom Debt Relief to my rescue, and I thank them for that.

Freedom Debt Relief Company Profile