Get Started

4.4/5 (3682 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Top Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I’m so grateful to the staff of Freedom Debt Relief. It’s been a struggle at times, but it also has been a positive crossroad ... This is the best decision I have ever made for my...

Verified

I have had an excellent experience with FDR. They listened, got me where I needed to be, and stuck with me the entire time. It has been a journey worth taking. They are faster tha...

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) specializes in debt resolution, negotiation and settlement services for those grappling with overwhelming debt. In business since 2002, FDR touts a record of saving its customers a combined $10 billion through debt settlements. It’s a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators and part of the American Fair Credit Council.

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, an unsecured personal loan or outstanding medical bills, FDR will work to help you negotiate a settlement with your creditors for as low as 50 percent of what you owe.

How does Freedom Debt Relief work?

To get started with Freedom Debt Relief, you must have at least $15,000 in unsecured debt unattached to collateral, such as a house or car. If you qualify, you’ll talk with one of FDR’s consultants to find a plan that works for you.

FDR’s program length typically ranges from 24 to 48 months, and you can track your progress through the online dashboard 24/7. The company also offers an online evaluation tool to help you see if you qualify.

FDR will then help you set up a savings account — these are secured by the FDIC, allow you to deposit cash and help with your debt settlement. Your certified debt consultant will then determine when the best time is to attempt to negotiate with your creditors.

If you reach a solution, FDR will ask you to authorize the agreement then charge a fee based on the settlement. It won’t charge until a settlement is reached; however, not all creditors will let you settle.

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?

Freedom Debt Relief’s fees typically range from 15% to 25% of the settled debt. When you apply, a certified debt consultant will receive your case and you’ll get an exact percentage and a monthly cost. Fees vary depending on the state you live in.

Legally, FDR can’t charge any upfront fees, so each charge is initiated after the company settles part of your debt. Users need to authorize a settlement before the company initiates any charges, so this fee should never be a surprise.

Freedom Debt Relief FAQ

How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
    As with all debt relief and settlement programs, working with Freedom Debt Relief will likely negatively affect your credit in the short term. However, a Freedom Debt Relief program can help encourage positive credit habits, which over time could help improve your credit. The company conducted a study and reported that its customers’ credit improved significantly over 24 to 45 months.
    Where is Freedom Debt Relief located?
    Freedom Debt Relief has offices in Phoenix, Arizona, and San Mateo, California, but it serves customers across the country.
    Is Freedom Debt Relief a debt settlement company?
    Yes, Freedom Debt Relief’s program involves negotiating settlements with your creditors.
    How long does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
    According to a study conducted by the company, customers of Freedom Debt Relief saw a significant dip in credit score in the beginning, with median scores of 497 at six months after enrollment, then saw a steady increase, with median scores reaching 604 at 24 months and 648 at 45 months. This study tracked the scores of customers between 2014 and 2018 with a median starting credit score of 650.
    Does Freedom Debt Relief offer loans?
    Freedom Debt Relief does offer debt consolidation loans; however, since debt settlement is its specialty, its certified debt consultants prefer to try debt settlement first.

Is Freedom Debt Relief legit?

Freedom Debt Relief is a reputable company with a proven track record. The company is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators. If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, Freedom Debt Relief may be able to help you.

While all debt relief services will likely cause a negative mark on your credit report, Freedom Debt Relief professionals can assist you in negotiating with creditors in a way you may not be able to do yourself. Although its fees may be high — as much as 25% of what you save on your debt — it still may cost you less than paying the debt in full.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I had a very pleasant experience with FDR. When I had accumulated so much debt, it was getting hard to manage all the payments and trying to keep up with things, and I was paying out more payments than I was making just about. I had to do something and they helped me manage that. They were really easy to talk to, everything was very easy to understand. ​I even had two litigations that they helped me through and it took all the pressure off me. I didn't have to get any phone calls or be harassed by any of these credit card companies. They just took care of everything. It was awesome.

I utilize the dashboard all the time and it laid my anxieties. Every month you knew where you were at and I had the direct deposit where they took the money directly from my account and I could just check on the dashboard anytime I wanted to because I needed the visual too. I needed to look at my accounts and see what they have done. I could see everything and just being able to see everything and all of that action, I had not had to even take care of myself, compared to other things, it made me feel under control.

They really do what they say they're going to do. They've also got so much information on their website because there's all the Q and A's, I can go back and look through any of the steps. If there's anything that I don't understand, I can call to talk to a person either. Everyone that I have talked to personally on the phone was very knowledgeable, helpful and empathetic. That was what made me feel good about going with them. They also had everything out there so I could ask questions and get the information and it was a little bit too good to be true. Because when they said to not take the phone calls and what to do to get set up, it was a very short process and they literally took that off me. I didn't have to deal with that anymore myself.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Brenda thank you for reviewing your experience! We are very happy to hear that you made good use of your dashboard! We not only want to provide you with the best customer service, but we also want to provide you with the necessary tools achieve and maintain a brighter financial future! Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

My husband and I enrolled in Freedom Debt May 2018. We had about 111K in debt from our years of having two mortgage payments. We were hit by the economy crash of 2007, and by divorce, before we met and got married in 2013. Both of us had a lot of debt, from trying to pay two mortgages and paying off our debt from previous relationships. We were overwhelmed.

We ended up contacting Freedom Debt and enrolled in the program. We had a total of 14 debts to resolve and we were up to our eyeballs in stress, only making minimum payments, and never making a dent in our payoff amounts. Freedom debt discussed our options. We started off paying what we could. We started off paying how much we would pay for minimums for all 14 debts. We kept this up and with the help of Freedom, We were able to pay the first debt off immediately.

Freedom were able to negotiate settlements that range from 40% settlement to 80% settlement. When we had a legal case raised against one of our debts, Freedom Debt works in partnership with NLLG, Inc to help with court settlements. We were Extremely grateful for this service to keep us from having to go to court.

Our anticipated graduation timeframe, if we kept payments the same over the years was December 2024. We were able to graduate by August 2021 because we paid extra when we could, we increased our biweekly payments when we could, and we made sure paying off our debt was our main focus.

Here are my take-aways from this program.

1. Step into Payments that you can manage. Do not break your family finances trying to hurry the process. Pay what you can and if you graduate longer, you graduate longer.

2. Take advantage of the NLLG, Inc. Representation. They know how to settle things when the courts step in. ALWAYS follow their directions and the MOMENT you get a certified mail with a court document, open the door, sign for the document and call Freedom Debt IMMEDIATELY. If you do not, it can be difficult for them to assist. The moment you receive something court related, engage Freedom Debt.

3. Watch the videos that Freedom Debt gives. They tell you how to speak to your debtors. Avoiding phone calls does not make things better. Take the call, and follow the script.

4. Get used to the fact that there will be an influx of calls once you stop payments. This has to happen for Freedom Debt to Help. When you communicate using the scripts in the videos and stay to the script, things become much easier and the stress becomes less.

5. Do not skip your payments to Freedom Debt. Skipping payments can run the risk for payment schedules to be missed. Set yourself up for realistic payments. Don't over pay thinking you have this and then when an emergency hits, you are stuck.

6. When in doubt, call and speak with someone at Freedom Debt. They are there for you. You pay your monthly fees to use their service and they will help! We had a ton of debt. We were embarrassed, but once we get over the embarrassment, and we work the process, it is satisfying to be debt free.

WE CANNOT THANK FREEDOM DEBT and NLLG, Inc. ENOUGH for everything they did for us!!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you, Erin, for going into detail and sharing that with us today! It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts. Always feel free to connect with us when support is needed. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief to reach your financial goals.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Last year during the pandemic, Freedom Debt was really helpful because of the fact that I didn't have a job for four months. I was able to call them and be like, Hey, I can't make a $250 payment. Can I make like a $25 payment to keep my account active?” There was one girl there who tried to tell me that the best thing for me to do would be to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy because I couldn't pay anything and I was calling every other week trying to get only $25 payments. She said, “Well, you keep doing this. Your dedicated account is very in the negative, and you're not gonna be able to bounce back from that.” And I was like, “Excuse me? Thank you for knowing my life."

Filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy hits my credit even harder. She said, “Well, you have a lot of debt.” I told her that's what FDR is supposed to be helping with. Still, I appreciated that and I asked how I file what she was saying. She said that they needed to get with a lawyer and I would still have to pay for it. She then told me, “Borrow the money from somebody. Get with a lawyer, and then they'll fight it off for you, whatever. And then all of this gets wiped clean.” I told her, “So, that way, for the next seven years, I have no credit whatsoever and I'm literally building from the ground up? No, thank you.” She then said I should borrow money from somebody else to make my dedicated account zeroed out and go from there. I asked her what the point of doing that was if, in two weeks, I would have to call FDR back again and say I could only make a $50 payment. She then said I should just do my best to get caught up.

Working with Freedom has been great. Everything I've liked about the program is that they are willing to work with me and around my budget. They've helped me completely eliminate at least two cards that I had on there. They're working on a third one which is my biggest with Wells Fargo. I went through a divorce and it ruined my credit. It's been two years that I've been working with them and I've gotten to see my credit score jump up about 104 points.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Sara, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! Our team takes pride in making sure our clients are supported throughout the process and we'll always be right by your side. Please log onto your Client Dashboard at www.fdrclient.com for account updates. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: April 14, 2021

Updated on 12/23/2021: I am OK with negotiations FDR has made. But earlier this year 1 debt slipped out to collection agency. It was in freedom, but no one would talk to me. I negotiated myself which was not good. I know FDR could have done better

Original Review: I ran into a problem where I could not make all my payments because I retired thinking that Social Security would be good. It's not. I was looking for some ways to do my payments. Freedom Debt Relief was a better alternative to bankruptcy. The representatives were wonderful to talk to and they told me that in four years, I could pay my bills and they would take care of it for me. All I have to do is make my deposits. Instead of a whole lot of money going out, I make two payments a month then they take those payments. They negotiate with the creditors and they work out the system to pay.

So far, they have been very successful in resolving several debts and there are still a couple in process. I got a letter from one creditor and I mailed a note giving them Freedom Debt Relief’s phone number so they can contact them. Freedom is seems to take their job very seriously. Having worked out a payment plan has taken off the stress of how I’m gonna pay this bill and that bill. They let me know about negotiations and what they did. And if I want to increase my payments, I can do so. That way, they would be able to pay more.

I have talked to several people who are in the position that I was in and don't wanna file bankruptcy. I told them that Freedom is remarkable and they can ease your mind when you first start talking with them. They stay in close contact with you updating you on everything that's going on. I can go to the dashboard online and see everything that's been done like all my bills. Freedom has a really wonderful system and I really like it.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Judy, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We cannot tell you how happy it makes us to hear about your experience! Our team takes pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we'll always be here for you. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Signing up was difficult at first because the guy I called said that I should cut my credit cards up so I would not use them. Just stop paying them and they would take care of everything, but that was not the way it happened. I told him we were in the process of switching banks from Community First to VyStar. And he said, "As soon as you get it changed, let me know what the number is and everything." So, when we did, I called him up, but that didn't happen. I got charged $68 because Freedom tried to get the 436 out of Community First when it was nothing there. That was a mishap because he told me afterwards, "Oh, I can't get that information on my phone." "Well, then why did you tell me to do it?" I called up, gave them all the information, and they started taking everything out of VyStar. But in the meantime, I'm out 68 bucks, and, "Oh, well, they don't want to give it back to me. Oh, well." That's a loss.

Why did they tell me to do it if that wasn't what they did? I would have called up right away and told somebody else. But that was the only mishap that happened. Otherwise, they have been very good. They got the bills paid, and then my son picked up a couple of bills that he put on his dad and I. So, he picked them back up again and he paid them. Sometimes, I don't like the way they are slowing paying it when they have the money right there, but that's the way they do things. And it's all right with me.

They answer my calls right away. They give me answers. If they don't have the answer, they find the answer. They reach me through email and let me know about when they need a settlement. I look at it every day and every evening. I would take a glance and make sure that that is not happening yet, or if it is. I just made a settlement for Community First, and according to what it says, Freedom is paying them in two 1,300-somethings and it's paid. So, they're looking at when everything is said and done, I have two other bills, and one is in the lawyer's hands, and the other one, they're just paying 44 a month. That's the way they pay them. It's a monthly payment, and that's what they accepted. So, they say around April 2023, which is fine with me. I'm not going anywhere and I feel much relieved and settled down and everything. I can do other things and not have to worry about it.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Halle, thank you for sharing your experience. We're sorry to hear about your initial experience but we're glad to be able to assist you in becoming debt-free. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Not really recommended as this company wasn’t honest regarding time in program, they even got the number of debts enrolled incorrect-I was being charged twice for one. I’d suggest passing or working it out oneself. Not a good one.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Shannon, we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience wit our program, due to the nature of your complaint an account specialist will be reaching out soon. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

This was a rip off. Said they could save you money but they didn't would have been cheaper negotiating on my own which I did with 2 of the creditors. They take forever to negotiate so they can keep making money off you. With their fees. Hopefully I'll never have to do this again cause I won't be using this company.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Joseph, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you are having a poor experience, a specialist will be reaching out regarding your complaint. Please remember that our fees are set and do not change through the duration of the program. It is also important to consider that negotiations take time and there are factors that determine the negotiation process for each account. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Very good service. We had to pull some strings at the end to get this debt resolved once and for all at the end, but overall a good experience. Hope to never have to use the service again, but would highly recommend it to someone else.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Ovadia, thank you for reviewing your experience! Congratulations on completing your program! Thank you for your recommendations and for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I'm almost debt free thanks to their help and diligence. They protect you in the process from collectors and do all the paperwork for you. I'm happy I took the decision to look for their help. It took me 4 years to do it and it was the best decision I took for my finances. Thank you!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Jennifer thank you for reviewing your experience. Congratulations, all of your hard work is really paying off. We work very hard to be able to give you all of the help, resources, and information that you need to be successful in your journey towards financial freedom. Thank you for choosing Freedom debt relief!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I have been happy to see some of my debts disappear and Freedom Debt Relief has done a very good job of helping me out of this situation. Would recommend it to anyone who is struggling to get out of debt.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Barbara, thank you for reviewing your experience. We are very excited to work with you on your journey towards financial freedom. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information