4.55/5
  • 1 star
Based on 9,454 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As the largest debt negotiator in the nation, Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) has helped hundreds of thousands of Americans significantly reduce the amount they owe and resolve their debts more quickly and affordably than many other options.

The company began in 2002 with a mission to provide a debt solution that puts consumers first. Therefore, the initial consultation FDR provides is focused on educating consumers about several debt options (not just their program).

By staying true to its mission, hiring the best professionals in the industry, and continually innovating their services, Freedom Debt Relief has grown to employ over 1,600 highly trained professionals and resolve debts for nearly 400,000 clients.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

10845 Freedom Debt Relief Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I am so glad I was able to enroll in this program. I feel a relief that I am not so stressed over bills and that my credit report will show paid off at the end. That I won't show a bunch of late payments against my credit. Thank you.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I signed up with them when I was going through a divorce and refused to file bankruptcy. They told me I could get this resolved in approx 36 months and my credit would be repaired quickly. What a scam!! They have taken months to negotiate settlements and when you call to ask questions or send emails you just get the runaround. I was at my rock bottom and vulnerable going through a divorce and they took total advantage of that. My credit scores dropped and I am now getting sued from one of my creditors which I believe they never called them despite the letters I forwarded to them. This is my life and my future and obviously this means nothing to them. I have worked hard my whole life and tried to be responsible. I would have been better off filing bankruptcy. I see all the bad reviews and the fact they have settled lawsuits against them and now I know why.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS with them. They are not honest about their fees, they don't work on your behalf and they do nothing to make things right. I am so disappointed and disheartened that a company can take advantage of you when you are down and you are then left to pick up the pieces again. Thanks for nothing Freedom Debt.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Sherry ** made the process of signing up for the program easy. She was very knowledgeable in the process and made me feel at ease throughout the whole process. Thank you Sherry and Freedom Debt Relief for making my life less stressful.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

It was very nice to talk to someone who listens, and understand what we need. I have been so stressed trying to pay everything and just couldn't. Now we have a Fighting chance, I love that!!! Thank you Don ** for helping us go forward.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I could not be happier with my experience so far. Jon has been so helpful and professional in helping me understand all of my options. The Welcome Department was equally easy to work with and made sure I understand everything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Jennifer was amazing. She was kind from start to finish ensuring that I understood the whole process. She listened to everything and took the time to explain and answer any questions That I had. She responded quickly and is very efficient with what she does. I would recommend her to anyone that is dealing with a situation like myself, she is very kind.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Miss ** was very helpful and informative. As a result of her professionalism I enrolled. I was very pleased with the attention to service and the promptness of her service. You have a wonderful employee in Miss **. I will say that were it not for her I might not have enrolled in the program.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Todd ** was very informative and helpful in enrolling in this program. He was very helpful in explaining the process to me and the advantages down the road for me in trying to take care of my debt. Thank you so very much for the information and the help given.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

This was very simple and helped me so much. Thank you. My daughter referred me to this program, I saw how it helped her and I am thankful this option is available. I will tell my friends and family about these services available, it is a really easy process.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

This is a great program. Most of all the representative had the greatest customer service ever. He walked me through step-by-step, and assured me that they would take the best care of my situation. I would definitely recommend this program to a friend or a family member. Life happens, everything is not perfect and they’re here to help. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Deborah ** was great, she made me feel so at ease and confident! Thank You! All I can hope is that this works the way she explained it to me! I would recommend any of my friends to call her direct to make a change in their lives! I will be monitoring closely, I am beyond excited to be debt-free... It's been a long time coming! In a few months all of my worries and stress will be gone!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Staff was very friendly. Very detailed explanation. Very willing to accommodate my circumstances. Took the time to listen, educate, and be as helpful as possible. Would highly recommend to friends and family for their own consolidation. They were very personable and respectful of my privacy and situation and I appreciate their help. I researched for weeks and this was the best decision I ever made.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Ms. ** contacted me each time in a very timely manner, by phone and email. She explained the process to me in easy to understand terms, also in a very timely manner. She was very personable and I felt comfortable speaking to her about my situation.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Sherry ** made an otherwise difficult phone call so easy. She was very informative and very, very patient. She has also made herself available for any questions I might have at a later date. I was very unsure about calling, with all the scams, but she really put my mind at ease.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Ray ** and Michelle ** were absolutely some of the nicest and most helpful people I have had the pleasure to deal with. In less than 24 hours I feel some relief and hope. I will recommend Freedom Debt to anyone I know having health and money issues. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

This program has saved me thousands of dollars. I am so happy I found them. They are wonderful. They are friendly, very knowledgeable, and are so great to work with. They send updates, and let you know what is going on. I could not recommend a company more, or so dedicated to helping me get out of debt. You cannot go wrong with this company. They saved me from bankruptcy. I highly recommend this company. Awesome service!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I just wanted to say that signing up for this program has been great. Adam was so informative, patient and upfront. After being in a prior program I was leary but Adam eased my mind. I feel complete confident in my decision to move forward with this program.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

The person I talked to about my money problems was very helpful. His Name is Jon **. He walked me thru all the program had to offer after I agreed to sign up. Another young Lady Kaelin ** helped me set up My Client Dashboard screen. Thank You So Much.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

We cancelled their services because they lied to us and told us that we wouldn't get sued by anyone which we did, even though we showed them the letters. The percentage they take from your money is insane (20%) considering you can do it all on your own if you take the time to call your creditors. They tell you not to answer the phone but in reality 100% of our creditors were more than willing to work with us and were incredibly understanding of our situation, even after going over 150 days without a payment. Our scores went from over 750 to under 530 in the span of a few months.

It's incredibly disappointing that a company that claims to help you when you've hit rock bottom will actually do the opposite and leave you in a worse off situation. Having late payments will be on your record for several years, not answering the phone is exhausting and the fact that YOU can actually do what they're doing is even worse because they lead you to believe that the creditors will not work with you and that you NEED their services. There's a reason why they're getting sued. When we terminated our agreement with them they did not refund us not a single penny of over $4,000 from the one settlement they actually followed through with. We are still down and they didn't do anything to get us that settlement, they just held out until the credit card caved.

DO NOT use them, I recommend truly taking responsibility for your situation and calling the creditors yourself. I did and in one rainy day I was able to settle all my accounts which were close to $200k. It is not impossible and the calls will end and you will be in a much better situation. The level of stress and damage this company has caused us is awful.

Just remember to look at your settlements because you will be surprised when you click YES to that TEXT message and go to your dashboard and realize that the credit card is not settled yet because they took over 20% up front of the TOTAL amount, not the settled amount. Click NO to any settlement or best yet DO IT YOURSELF; it feels better and you won't lose any money. We tried reasoning with them to get our money back and their answer was no after we tried to contact them more than 4 times. They won't give you your money back because according to them they didn't do anything wrong and it was your fault, you go into this mess. So much for a company that wants to help you.

Freedom Debt Relief response
Dear Marie,

We are sorry to hear about the concerns you are having with the program and your account. We would like to work with you to resolve these concerns. Please let us know the best time that we may have someone reach out to you.

Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had extremely pleasant experience working with Gregory. He is very knowledgeable courteous person who is patient and always explained to me all I needed to do and how, and walked me through all the enrollment process that was tailored to my needs. I am very grateful for all his help, highly recommend him and looking forward to work with Gregory and the team on the path to debt relief. Thank you again, for all your time and working with me.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Quick and easy. Just like the subject line says. The agent who helped me, Zachary, was so helpful! This entire process has been positive! I would recommend this company to anyone who is in the same financial situation as I am! I can finally breathe easy again!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I was pleasantly surprised at the help that Christine ** afforded me. The application process was easy to accomplish. All personnel who assisted me were courteous and very knowledgeable. I am very pleased to have found your company and look forward to accomplishing my goal of being debt free.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I was referred to Freedom Debt Relief through a friend who seemed very satisfied with their services. Although I was not behind in any of my payments I found myself barely scraping by each month. Rhonda was very professional and reassuring. She answered all of my questions and seemed very knowledgeable regarding the services provided.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Was so please with how willing to help this company is. Went above and beyond to help me to start getting out of debt. Called and was told I didn't qualify, then I received a email that the guy I talked to took it upon himself to see if there was any way I could get help. Was such a relief to get the help to get out of debt sooner than I ever expected.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Answered all my questions to my satisfaction. Explained everything thoroughly. Very friendly and understanding and helpful. I could not have asked for better service and very much appreciate all the help I received from John ** and the other representatives.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Steve my guide did a great job telling me about the program and how it works. I look forward to saving a little money and getting myself back out of debt and back in control of my life. I haven't started my program yet so I don't have a lot to say. Once I get more into it I will comment more on my plan.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Mr. ** was very knowledgeable and prompt with the information. He was very friendly during our conversation. I put in my consult and he called in a matter of seconds. It didn't take a considerable amount of time to complete the entire process and he assisted me with including all my debt that was eligible. I Would recommend family and friends.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Rebecca ** was the associate that I worked with. She was very friendly and knowledgeable. She answered all of my questions and made this difficult process easy for me. I was very hesitant to sign up but she was patient with me. She explained the process in detail and made the enrollment very easy.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Horrible experience. I had to call many many times for over a year to have my last account closed with Freedom, and that was after I dealt with the credit card company to reach a settlement myself. Every time I called customer service, I was told they resolve it, only to find out they didn't do anything. Hours and hours of my life I can't get back.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Dear Nicole ,

Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Frank was great at addressing my concerns and questions about different programs that were available to me. His help setting me up with one that will work for my family is a big relief. I will recommend anyone to Frank if they are in need of any debt relief services. Thank you!

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information