2. Finance
Accredited Partner

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.57/5
Based on 4,349 ratings submitted in the last year

As the largest debt negotiator in the nation, Freedom Debt Relief has resolved over $10 billion in consumer debt. Through their proven debt relief program, they have helped hundreds of thousands of Americans significantly reduce the amount they owe and resolve their debts more quickly and affordably than other options like debt consolidation loans.

The company began in 2002 with a mission to provide a debt solution that puts consumers first. Therefore, the initial consultation FDR provides is focused on educating consumers about several debt options (not just their program).

By staying true to its mission, hiring the best professionals in the industry, and continually innovating their services, Freedom Debt Relief has grown to employ over 2,000 highly trained professionals and enrolled over 615,000 clients.

Freedom Debt Relief Video

BOTTOM LINE

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although fees can be up to 25% of the settlement amount, it's usually a good move to eliminate debt through debt settlement.

PROS

• No fees charged until settlement reached
  • Successful track record
  • Works with high debt amounts
  • Highly praised customer service

CONS

• Fees of up to 25% of settlement amount
  • Negative impact on credit

Top Freedom Debt Relief Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom has definitely helped me with my credit issues and I'm thankful for it. A huge weight has been lifted off my chest. I would recommend this plan to anyone who needs help with their debt.

FDR has done a great job for me. They always answer my questions and take stress off my mind. They have helped me manage my debt without worries. Thank you Freedom Debt Relief! I will recommend you to my friends and coworkers.

Freedom Debt Relief Get Started

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) specializes in debt resolution, debt negotiation, and debt settlement services for those grappling with overwhelming debt. In business since 2002, FDR touts a record of saving its customers a combined $9 billion through debt settlements and is a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators as well as part of the American Fair Credit Council.

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, an unsecured personal loan, or outstanding medical bills, FDR will work to help you negotiate a settlement with your creditors for as low as 50 percent of what you owe.

How does Freedom Debt Relief work?

You must have at least $15,000 in unsecured debt unattached to collateral, such as a house or car. If you qualify, you talk with one of Freedom Debt Relief’s debt consultants and determine a plan that works for you. Freedom Debt Relief’s program length can range anywhere from 24 months to 60 months, and you can track your progress on an online dashboard 24/7. To better see if you qualify, Freedom Debt Relief offers an online evaluation tool.

FDR will then help you set up a savings account, secured by the FDIC, that will allow you to deposit cash and help with your debt settlement. Your debt consultant will then determine when the best time is to attempt to negotiate with your creditors. If you reach a solution, Freedom Debt Relief will ask you to authorize the agreement, then charge you a fee based on that settlement. Freedom Debt Relief will not charge you a fee until a settlement is reached; however, not all creditors will allow you to settle.

Freedom Debt Relief FAQ

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?
When Freedom Debt Relief is able to settle one of your debts, it will charge you a percentage fee. While each case is different, Freedom Debt Relief’s fees typically range from 15% – 25% of the settlement amount.
How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
As with all debt relief or debt settlement programs, working with Freedom Debt Relief will likely negatively affect your credit. However, a Freedom Debt Relief program can help encourage positive credit habits, which over time could help improve your credit.

Is Freedom Debt Relief a good company?

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, Freedom Debt Relief may be able to help. While all debt relief services will likely cause a negative mark on your credit report, Freedom Debt Relief professionals can assist you in negotiating with creditors in a way that you may not be able to do yourself. Although fees may be high — as much as 25% of what you save on your debt — it may still be less than paying the debt in full.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

A lot of credit card debt had just consumed me because when you have a child who's had cancer, you'll do anything to make the co-pays. I downsized everything in my life but it's still I was just paying too much interest. I went online and I researched how different debt consolidation groups were rated and Freedom Debt Relief has such a good rating and such happy customers that I did research and found them and called them.

With the exception of one phone call, which that person obviously was quite new ‘cause they gave me bad information that even I knew was off, I've been with FDR for over three years now. We're paying off two of my debts and everything has been agreed and two have been paid off. I turned over four cards to them and they get the highest praise I can give any company because regardless of who I talked to, I got consistent answers within the organization. This is a company I would work for because of its internal consistency. Their first rep I talked with was also very knowledgeable, very encouraging and very helpful. Regarding payments, they told me what it would be a month and we set it on two payment dates and then when I started seeing how I was being paid in retirement, I had to move it to the first of the month and consolidate it all and just make it one payment.

My only problem that I've had at all was that the first card which was Discover that they settled out in 2017, and Discover did not send the 1099-G form to me. They sent it to FDR. Nobody there could find it. So two years later, under an audit, they started contacting me last June, I am still fighting with the IRS because I've sent them everything but the IRS then failed to tell me. They said, “You've got everything in that you need.” Then they said, “You don't have this form.” I've been going round and round with them for 15 months.

I also did not add my fourth account until later when they jacked up the interest on me for it. My payment, before I added that account, was 600 and change. Then when I added that fourth card not quite a year ago, it had $6,000 on it and it was with US Bank and it's a Visa, my payment went to 853. We've got structured settlements all set up. My graduation date would have been September but after I added this other card, it’s now gonna be November but I'm paying so much less on that. It doesn't seem right that I would pay the full 853 for October and November of 2021. That should drop after September by quite a bit because the big debt will have been completely paid off. So I need somebody to check into that for me. I would almost be paying off the whole thing in those two months with what I'm paying and it just didn't seem quite right.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for giving us an honest review of how our program has gone for you, Leslie! We know everything concerning the program may not be perfect, and we are constantly working on our flaws. However, thank you for sticking by us and trusting us to guide you to your graduation path of financial freedom. It's our pleasure! If you would like to discuss the details of your account more in-depth just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: June 22, 2020

I had quite a few bills and I wanted to get rid of them. A company sent me something through the mail, and I started going with them, but I had to keep going to some place where I had to keep on faxing everything that I had over to them, and it was costing me quite a bit of money. Then, the woman from Freedom Debt Relief called me on a Sunday. I told the other company I wanted my money back because I decided to go with someone else. So, they sent me the money back and I went with Freedom Debt. Their debt consultants were very good.

I would have been all done with the program, but my sister had one that I co-signed for her, and I didn’t remember that I did it. It was for CareCredit. After she passed away, her husband and her son were going through taking care of all her bills, and they called me and asked me about this one. They sent me a letter from the banks that they went through with CareCredit, and I told them, “I don’t remember having anything with them.” But then the bank sent me a statement with the name of the places that she was taking money because she had cancer and she needed quite a bit of money, and she asked me to help her, which I did. I'm her sister and I felt sorry for her.

When the bank sent me the statement stating where that credit was from, then it dawned on me, I did go and I took out the credit for her. So, when I told the bank I’m responsible for it, and I took that and I put it in through debt management, and Freedom made that deal with the bank. They paid it off now. May 19th was one payment and June 19th was the final payment.

I only have Merrick Bank and Cabela's. They made the deal with it. They’re paying them a dollar a month. I had six of them that I put through and CareCredit was number seven. Merrick Bank is the last one now. It would have been paid in 2018. But what happened was I don’t have an internet and my sister put it on her internet. She was looking it up. And when they were making the settlements, they would go on the internet with her, and she’d call me and tell me that they wanna make a settlement.

With Merrick Bank, my sister was getting chemo treatments and she was very sick and she didn’t go on the computer. I called and asked her, “Did you hear anything from debt management on your computer?” She said, “You know, I'm too sick to even go and look at it.” I told her, “You know, don’t bother. I'll just call them.” When I called, the one they sent her was a settlement and they told me what it was. It was supposed to be like $194 a month for a whole year until December of that year. But when they tried it, it was too late already, so they had to put it back at the end of the book. So, that’s why that’s the last one that they're gonna be working on now. One time, they did call me and I didn’t know what they wanted. I was home but by the time I got to the phone, they hung up, and they didn’t leave any message. So, I right away called them and it was to make one of the settlements. I'm very satisfied with Freedom Debt Relief.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Rose! We are so glad we could step in and help you during your hardship. We are extremely sorry to hear about your sisters passing, our condolences! We are relieved to see even though there was a debt overlooked in the beginning process we could still step in, and assist you in resolving that account. If you need anything, please reach out to our team of professionals at 1(800)-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: May 1, 2020

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) was a blessing from beginning to end. I enrolled four debts into the program totaling close to $60,000. FDR negotiated my debts down by 43%. I graduated the program in just 2.5 years, which is 19 months ahead of the estimated graduation date. I accomplished this by making as many additional deposits as I could by working lots of overtime and making sacrifices in budgeting.

My program deposits every two weeks were only $430, but this amount will differ for each person. There was a one-time account set-up fee for only $9. There was a monthly service fee of only $7.25. The NLLG monthly service fee was only $12 (NLLG is the legal protection in case you get sued by a creditor). Each phone or ACH payment to a creditor was only $3. Settlement fees were 15% of each enrolled balance but was only due after an individual debt was negotiated and I agreed to the settlement. These settlement fees were paid in installments or by lump sum, depending mostly on how much money was in my account. Note that all these fees may be slightly different for you depending on your location and other factors.

Overall, the fees were less than 2% of my entire program (not including the settlement fee, which was 15%). Do not let these fees bother you. They are very reasonable. The biggest takeaway from my review should be this: Make sure to stay consistent with your bi-weekly deposit schedule and make additional deposits as much as you can.

I heard of this program from a website, so I contacted a representative for more information and to ask several questions related to the program. The gentleman was helpful and supportive. I told him I would think about the program and get back to him soon. I did some research online to verify any details I could find. I decided to join the program. I had no trouble getting a hold of him and getting everything set up.

I received my welcome guide from FDR. I read through the guide thoroughly to make sure I fully understood the program. I read through the welcome guide more than once during my program, and I read through the frequently asked questions (FAQ) on my FDR dashboard more than once during my program. It is easy to forget a detail or two over time, so I wanted to make sure I kept well-informed about the program and my specific role in it. The guide said the first settlement may take four to six months; I got mine in about two weeks. The guide contained action items, which I made sure to follow exactly.

For example, I added their phone number and text code into my cell phone, I stopped making payments to my creditors, I stayed consistent with my monthly deposits, I kept them up to date on any changes in my life that may be relevant to the program, and I sent them any notices I received of my debts being sold to collectors. I was out of work for a short time, so I informed them when I was out of work and informed them when I got a new job. It is important to read those action items and be sure to follow them to ensure your best chance at success with the program.

I do not remember the exact count, but I contacted FDR by phone or live chat at least three or four times. The representatives answered my questions immediately, sufficiently, and kindly. If you need to cancel a scheduled deposit, make sure to call at least a couple of days before the deposit is scheduled. In one conversation, I was told my bi-weekly deposits would continue until all my debts were fully resolved, meaning the final payments have cleared both banks. Do not be surprised if you have graduated the program, but your deposits are still happening. Mine were refunded to me within three days or so once all transactions were cleared. I am greatly pleased and full of gratitude for this program and for the individuals in FDR who helped me to reach financial freedom. Thank you for your due diligence. Family, friends, and co-workers have heard from me how happy I have been with the results of this program.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you so much for your generous feedback, Aaron. We couldn't be any happier than to know you have completed your graduation path and reached your goal of financial freedom! We also want to thank you for all your inspiring words and support you give to our company. We applaud you for this great accomplishment! If you ever have any questions or concerns, please contact Client Services at (800) 655-6303 or email us at support@freedomdebtrelief.com. Thank you for being the best part of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Updated on 03/17/2020: Freedom Debt didn’t seem like some fly-by-night internet spam or Facebook spam-type thing because it was on TV. It seemed a bit more legitimate. And when I spoke to them, they didn’t seem shady. They weren’t like, “Send us all your money and then we’ll work it out.” Also, making payments and stuff seemed a bit more legitimate. Naturally, if you pay them all at once, then it gets paid off faster.

Two of my debts have been completely settled. And then there are five that we’re working on that are payment-based, because they make a payment arrangement. However, I didn’t realize that they were just going to make payment arrangements because they made it sound like, “Okay, you get $500 into the account then we call them. We’re gonna settle this for $500 and then, bam, it’s off your credit. And then you build up again and then they settle.” Because with them making payment arrangements, it's gonna take quite a while for this to take place.

One of them that they just made for me the other day is a year-long payment arrangement. It’s going to be 10 payments long and I was hoping to have this all done by the summer of next year. And just the way that they’re going, that one’s gonna take a year and then it will take six months to drop off your credit. So, I really wish that they wouldn’t settle for small payments over so long of a time. I've put in almost $400 a month so I’d rather have them let me build it up, pay one off completely and be done with it, because then it will drop off in six months. But now, they have to pay for six months and then it takes six months to drop off.

They’re very nice people. But when I asked, “How do you pay them off?”, nobody said to me, “We make payment arrangements.” It seemed they skirted the issue. Because then, when they made the first agreement, I called them up and said, “Hey, are you guys always gonna be making a payment arrangement?” Then once again, they skirted that questioning, “Oh, well, you know...” and I said, “No, I wanna know” because I would’ve taken my taxes and given them $5,000 and been, “Pay off as much as you can.”

I understand that they don’t want people to get discouraged, but they need to answer the question honestly. If I asked, “Are you gonna make payment arrangements on everything,” it should be, “Yes, that’s what our policy is.” They told tell me this could take a few years depending on how much I was putting in so they let you know it’s gonna take a while, but they don’t give you all of the information. But other than that, they get the job done.

Original review: Great service. I can't believe how quickly my credit is being repaired. Weekly, I am getting notification that my credit is going up!! It will take just over 2 years for all of my debt to be paid off and then I will be able to buy my first home!!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for your review, Jennifer. There is no better feeling than to know that we are resolving our client's debts one day at a time. We look forward to your completion in the program. If you ever have any questions, please call Client Services at (800) 655-6303.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

In 2016, my son was dying in the hospital. I got a bill for 100 and something thousand dollars, it kept him alive. They found out what was wrong with him. But he was in the hospital for a month. And those medical bills kept adding up. We kept adding to the card too because we're paying for medical and paying for stuff. The next year, I had an open heart surgery, broke my leg, I had to get a pacemaker. So, within two years, we went from living okay to a life with so much debt. It hit me hard and I wasn’t able to continue paying on everything. Freedom Debt Relief took over in paying my bills. Everything went good with their consultant. I like the payment plan that they provided for me. When they get ready to make a settlement, everything falls in to place. So far, I’ve been able to pay my monthly bills off to where I can add to the monthly installment plan that I have with Freedom.

My only issue was they told me to leave a number and to change the address so I wouldn’t get bombarded with the credit companies trying to call me, which I didn't see the need because Freedom eventually would start the process of taking care of the bills and I'd have the choice of picking up the phone and talking to somebody. With that, my address changed in the whole system so when other people tried to locate me, they started sending their inquiries and their bills to a fake address. I had a medical bill that people were trying to collect on and everybody thought I live in Arizona because when you type in my name, one of my addresses is Arizona. When they finally got a hold of me, it was a collection agency. I never got that other hospital bill because it went over to Arizona. I would have taken care of it, but I didn't like the idea that the medical bill went to a collection agency. I’ve had that experience with two different companies as well.

My other issue was when I sent the bill in, I asked the Freedom people about a month ago why they haven’t taken care of the smallest one. They said they don’t choose them like that. It doesn't work that way. In fact, this one company just recently sent my bill to collection and that’s going on my report now. It was below 500 and now, it’s up to $800 because I haven’t paid on it within the last year and a half. Had I known that, I would have gone ahead and just continued. But it doesn't matter because by not being able to pay the bills, I'd still get a mark on my credit score for that, regardless. And then, the guy told me that once I make an agreement, they start paying down any bill. When it’s paying up, it’s up to the people there. Within a month, they usually take it off the credit report.

And then, it increases the credit score because some of the things that I put in were my husband's and some were mine. There were a total of nine and they have three paid off. They have four in the works, and they have two that they still have to negotiate. It’s the highest one and the lowest one that needs to be worked on. And I’m about to pay two of my bills off totally. When I do that, they told me that they’d be able to make negotiations for another one. I’ve been with them a year and a half, so I’ve got about another two and a half years. But they got it set up to where some of the things will be paid off. I was able to pay all the medical bills off. That was why I was able to increase how much I put in. And when you increase your monthly payments or you make an extra payment, they pay off some bills quicker. Every time they pay one off, they make negotiations on another one.

I made a contract with them. I started with $420. And now, it is up to $500. They told me how much my total bills were and my monthly payments. They told me that the bill would average me over $800 a month. So, when I signed up with them, they knocked it down to me owing just half of that. The payment started out at $420 and they take 210 out biweekly. I had three checks coming in a month. When I told them what days to take it out, half a payment comes out of one check, and half a payment comes out of the other one. And I don't have to worry about those bills, or those credit cards.

Now, if I go ahead and I end up increasing it $50 per paycheck, that’s $100 more a month, and they will be able to negotiate on another card to pay because they have the money in the account, and they charge a fee when they take stuff out of the account. As your account builds up, they make your payments and they give you a schedule. And that shows what happens to the money that you got in there and what you're putting in.

Also, there’s a telephone number that you can call or a site you can go on if you wanna increase your monthly payments or do a one-time payment. I can just put $100 in or I can increase it, and that was how I’ve done it whenever I’ve increased it. I’ve called the telephone number about four times when I had any questions and they answered my question with a bit more knowledge. It helps you understand what they're doing, and how they're doing it, and where your money’s gone.

When you pay your credit cards yourself, you’re paying on a lot of interest. And every time you paid, only $10 of what you paid goes to the card itself. I was doing the thing where if you paid minimum, whenever the thing would come through, it would be like I only paid three dollars on the whole thing. So, the card can really add up. Before I went to this debt relief, I tried to call the credit card companies and asked them if they would work with me on the interest. I was having trouble paying my bills and nobody would work with me. It’s funny that I had to go to a card company like Freedom to help get me out of debt when all they had to do was agree to lower the interest.

Overall, I’m not worried about the amount of money that I paid Freedom because whenever they send the particulars, when they agree and everything else, they fax or email you what they’ve agreed to - how much the monthly payments are gonna be and what the total amount is gonna be to pay a card back. So, it’s saving me thousands of dollars. One of them was $4004, and the company agreed to take 28 instead of the 4000. So, they're big chunks of money that they save you.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello, Julia, We are sorry to hear about the difficult medical situations you have been through. We are glad that our program has been of assistance thus far, and that you are now in a more comfortable payment plan to work towards paying off your debt. reach out to our client services department at (800) 655-6303 or support@freedomdebtrelief.com if you have any questions or comments regarding your account. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

You end up paying about what you owe if you aren't delinquent, but seems to work so far. Isn't a quick resolve, be aware of how much the debt was at enrollment and base your expectations at a reasonable level, not 50% off.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Good experience with Freedom. Contact with and from the company is excellent. Have had success with them resolving debts so far. Would recommend the company to anyone that is experiencing problems with meeting debt obligations. They fully explain the program to you before you make a decision. Representatives are always available to answer questions or concerns.

Freedom Debt Relief response

It is rewarding to hear such great feedback about our Client Services team, Ann. We strive to provide quality customer service in each interaction. We listen to our client's situation and provide solutions to address their needs. Keep up the great work and please reach out to us anytime you have questions about your program! You can contact our Client Services team seven days a week by calling (800) 655-6303 or email support@freedomdebtrelief.com. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

The Lady that I have been dealing with is named Bree. She has been fabulous through this whole process..She went through the whole process step by step and how it worked. She was patient and answered all my questions.. So grateful that I have been able to find a program that has suited my financial situation. I feel like there's light at the end of the tunnel now!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Victoria, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are thrilled to hear you have had a great experience and have been treated with respect. We will be there every step of the way and we look forward to the coming success. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

My experience with Freedom Debt Relief has been excellent. Their team has been great with communication to allow me the best settlement offers to help resolve my debt. I am glad to have signed up with them as they have been very professional in every step of the way. Their team of negotiators have helped to get me great results on lowering my debt.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Amazing feedback, Cory! We strive to utilize every resource available to keep you informed. We make sure each interaction is easy and understandable. We are honored to hear your satisfaction with the negotiation processes. congrats and thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

So happy to have found you. Credit score is moving up and now I can get back to reaching my old credit score. Thank you so much for your assistance in helping me get back what was lost. Freedom came through and I wasn't sure I would be able to bounce back. Great experience and would always recommend.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for taking the time to share with us, Jesse. We are thrilled that you took the first step to resolve your debt. We look forward to your coming success and are happy to see things improve. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief.

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information