Call toll free
4.54/5
Based on 4,000 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

As the largest debt negotiator in the nation, Freedom Debt Relief has resolved over $10 billion in consumer debt. Through their proven debt relief program, they have helped hundreds of thousands of Americans significantly reduce the amount they owe and resolve their debts more quickly and affordably than other options like debt consolidation loans.

The company began in 2002 with a mission to provide a debt solution that puts consumers first. Therefore, the initial consultation FDR provides is focused on educating consumers about several debt options (not just their program).

By staying true to its mission, hiring the best professionals in the industry, and continually innovating their services, Freedom Debt Relief has grown to employ over 2,000 highly trained professionals and enrolled over 615,000 clients.

Freedom Debt Relief Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although fees can be up to 25% of the settlement amount, it's usually a good move to eliminate debt through debt settlement.

PROS

• No fees charged until settlement reached
  • Successful track record
  • Works with high debt amounts
  • Highly praised customer service

CONS

• Fees of up to 25% of settlement amount
  • Negative impact on credit

Top Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

07/15/2019

Freedom has definitely helped me with my credit issues and I'm thankful for it. A huge weight has been lifted off my chest. I would recommend this plan to anyone who needs help with their debt.

07/17/2019

FDR has done a great job for me. They always answer my questions and take stress off my mind. They have helped me manage my debt without worries. Thank you Freedom Debt Relief! I will recommend you to my friends and coworkers.

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) specializes in debt resolution, debt negotiation, and debt settlement services for those grappling with overwhelming debt. In business since 2002, FDR touts a record of saving its customers a combined $9 billion through debt settlements and is a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators as well as part of the American Fair Credit Council.

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, an unsecured personal loan, or outstanding medical bills, FDR will work to help you negotiate a settlement with your creditors for as low as 50 percent of what you owe.

How does Freedom Debt Relief work?

You must have at least $15,000 in unsecured debt unattached to collateral, such as a house or car. If you qualify, you talk with one of Freedom Debt Relief’s debt consultants and determine a plan that works for you. Freedom Debt Relief’s program length can range anywhere from 24 months to 60 months, and you can track your progress on an online dashboard 24/7. To better see if you qualify, Freedom Debt Relief offers an online evaluation tool.

FDR will then help you set up a savings account, secured by the FDIC, that will allow you to deposit cash and help with your debt settlement. Your debt consultant will then determine when the best time is to attempt to negotiate with your creditors. If you reach a solution, Freedom Debt Relief will ask you to authorize the agreement, then charge you a fee based on that settlement. Freedom Debt Relief will not charge you a fee until a settlement is reached; however, not all creditors will allow you to settle.

Freedom Debt Relief FAQ

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?
When Freedom Debt Relief is able to settle one of your debts, it will charge you a percentage fee. While each case is different, Freedom Debt Relief’s fees typically range from 15% – 25% of the settlement amount.
How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
As with all debt relief or debt settlement programs, working with Freedom Debt Relief will likely negatively affect your credit. However, a Freedom Debt Relief program can help encourage positive credit habits, which over time could help improve your credit.

Is Freedom Debt Relief a good company?

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, Freedom Debt Relief may be able to help. While all debt relief services will likely cause a negative mark on your credit report, Freedom Debt Relief professionals can assist you in negotiating with creditors in a way that you may not be able to do yourself. Although fees may be high — as much as 25% of what you save on your debt — it may still be less than paying the debt in full.

16703 Freedom Debt Relief Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 19, 2019

I have been enrolled with FDR since February 2019 and now that it is July, I feel confident in writing a review.Freedom Debt Relief is a company which will take all of your unsecured debt and negotiate with creditors/collectors on your behalf through their affiliated legal group NLLG to get your accounts settled to a fraction of what you owe. When I first heard this, I was worried it was a scam but I am really happy to say that it is not.

A little background on my situation. I went to college with the help of a co-signer to get my student loans. Some I got deferral without a cosigner. I graduated and found myself in a successful career. I was paying on my loans and even got married and bought a house when something totally unexpected happened. My co-signer filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy which automatically defaulted all of my student loans he signed (8 loans in total, totaling about $80K). I was completely locked out of them. I would send payment checks to the company only to be told over the phone that they could not tell me if the checks were received or were being directed to my account so I gave up. I was told by my co-signer that the bankruptcy covered the loans and that they would be gone at the end of the 7 year term so I forgot about them and continued to pay my federal Loans... until the 7 years were up.

At that time I was pregnant with twins, had moved across the country and was renting a home with my spouse when I started getting collections calls. It became a nightmare. They insisted I make large ($400-600) payments for EACH LOAN that was defaulted or pay them in full. I felt overwhelmed and defeated. I had other federal student loans that I was already paying on, car payments, rent, husband's student loans and I was on maternity leave about to deliver my children and all the money I had saved for my family was suddenly gone.

One of my children was sickly and required extra medical care and regular doctor visits. I paid each collections agency what little I could to stop them from constantly calling me and we moved from where we were to a less expensive area. I couldn't afford daycare so my amazing in-laws stepped in and moved across the country to try to help take care of the kids so I and my spouse could work full time to try to manage our finances. I felt utterly defeated.

Eventually, the apartment we were renting became too small as the children got bigger but no one would allow us to rent a home with 4 adults, two small children so we wound up buying the cheapest fixer-upper home that was large enough to accompany all of us because we could not afford to rent two apartments. Needless to say, when the water heater died and the house did not come with appliances, we had to pay for that. Suddenly, just to get diapers and everything we needed was put to credit cards because the rest of our money went to collections agencies and bills. To put it in perspective, in total I was paying $1740 monthly to credit cards and student loans/collections. This doesn't include car payments, husbands student loans, etc. We couldn't keep up. We didn't have enough income. Then came FDR...

I was applying around to see if anyone would give me a consolidation loan. I was desperate to get the loans out of default and into a payment I could afford but no one would help me. Then I spoke with a person named Troy who said, "Have you heard of Freedom Debt Relief? I cannot give you a loan but I believe you qualify for the program." From that moment on, my life and that of my family was utterly changed.

Troy was the person who helped me into the program and got everything set up. He told me it would negatively impact my credit at first which didn't bother me at all. My credit was already shot. He told me it would take a few months to accrue enough money to start negotiating with collectors and explained how everything worked. I enrolled the majority of my debt that I could. I could not enroll it all, because I wanted to be sure I could afford the monthly payment to FDR without fail. Then something amazing happened. My monthly payment to FDR was something I COULD afford, and it saved me enough that I was able to save up and pay off my federal student loans.

When they were gone, I was then able to save enough (thanks to tax returns and no longer paying what I did to collectors) to settle on my own, the other debts I could not previously afford to enroll in the program. I changed all my work benefits to maximize my income, I sold things to make money and did overtime. I changed from a phone plan to something much cheaper. I started listening to Dave Ramsey and cash-budgeting and couponing. Now not only can I afford my monthly payments, but all the smaller loans I was able to pay-off on my own allow me to give that money to FDR to speed-up my payoff of the program.

I have 3 settlements in process as of my writing today. Customer service has always been very helpful in answering my questions or concerns via the phone. The client dashboard is very easy to use. My first settlement didn't come until about 5 months into the program, but I have so much enrolled that it took time to get enough deposited to really push things forward. Now I have a strict budget for all of my expenses and I plan ahead for things like Car registrations. I feel like I can finally breathe and I see a huge light with a rainbow at the end of the tunnel and I am just so thankful and grateful to FDR for helping me get this far.

My graduation estimate was 36 months but I'm going to keep depositing as much as I can and selling things and working overtime to see just how fast I can graduate. I feel like the sky is the limit and I know it doesn't end with FDR. Once I've finished the program, I plan on sequentially paying off our car loans and my husband's student loans and then we are DEBT FREE. The mortgage is a whole other ballgame, but I am so THRILLED and EXCITED at the progress I've seen and as Dave Ramsey says "Live like no one else so you can LIVE like no one else!"

I'm not making any of this up. Joining FDR is not the end game. You have to change your money mindset. You need to budget. You need to work hard. You need to be wise with your money and pay FDR at least monthly but I assure you that if you enroll in FDR to win and get and STAY out of debt, you CAN do it if you really want to. It's not a gimmick. The change begins with you first, and FDR is an amazing helping hand. And definitely enroll with the NLLG group. It's a monthly fee but it is TOTALLY worth it and the payment is included in your monthly payment. I would have been in trouble without them.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thanks for the awesome review, Patricia! We work hard to meet expectations like yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. If there is any other way we can help out, please contact customer service. Thank you for being a part of Freedom Debt Relief.

Get expert buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 15, 2019

First thing is I want to say is thank you Shaun ** for helping us and getting all of the information about your company to us so we felt we were could make an informed decision. You know the ole saying information is powerful. I had received something in the mail that I looked at on Sunday and decided to apply. I believe it was by Even. I first submitted it under my husband’s name because he makes way more than I do and wanted to see if we could file jointly to get a higher loan with us both being on it. A representative called me before I think I had the chance to hit send. We couldn’t do a joint loan so I applied with my information and that’s when you called me as I was hitting send. We normally would have taken the loan offer under my husband’s name but we realized that not even for a full $10K when it was said and done we would have paid over $32K for the life of the loan.

As soon my application was sent you called me and you held no judgement in your tone nor your voice. We went over some very important but private information and you still gave me the feeling that you could turn this around without a single push for a hard sale or a change of tone in your voice. You really were informative, explained everything and because you sounded too good to be true I pulled up the reviews while I was talking with you. The reviews were great and the fact we could be debt free in 4 years was a very satisfying. I never thought this would be us.

I’ll be 44 years old tomorrow and before I’m 50 we will be on the road to financial success. I’m not the best writer so I apologized but explaining how much we had to pay last year for our medical due to my illness and the fact 4 years ago I went from working a full time job making almost $70k to going on disability making less than $24k you understood. Again no judgement. I respected your advise so much I asked several times. When a question would be brought up and I wasn’t sure what to do I asked you what would you do if it was you in my position? You always replied with what I really believe was an honest answer so I took your advise.

Your company really has something special going on and it's employees like you is the reason people don’t feel judged, alone, scared or embarrassed. Also, I told you from the beginning I didn’t have the best memory and I tried to write down everything you said but I know I repeatedly asked you the same questions multiple times and you handled it like a pro, like it was the first time I asked you. Thank you Shaun for calling me exactly when you said you were (always on time) and if I needed to call you and you were on the other line I knew you’d called me back the moment you got off the phone even though I didn’t leave a message. We spoke a lot during the last 4 days and you made sure that I had the best information at all times. So if you can’t tell this is a huge thank you letter for everything you have done for us up until this point.

You all moved so fast that you let us know this was as important to you as it was us and you treated it like it was your personal dilemma not ours. Thank you for for saying, "You don’t need that other loan to just buy you a few more months and then you're back to where you were prior to that loan only to be deeper." The stress I carried about juggling money to make sure I could pay for this or that each month is over and that’s all because of you. You set us up so we can just pay our bills and not wonder where the next dollar is coming from and that we would have enough left over if there was an emergency without taking out another crazy loan.

Thank you Shaun so much and I’m so happy that when I picked up the phone that day it was you on the other line. I’m not sure how someone else would have made me feel probably fine since the people I have spoken to for verification never made me feel any sort of less than. Regardless I’m so happy you have taken care of everything, made this a hassle free transaction and getting off the phone without an ounce of shame for the situation we are in. I was so sure you had done this program before yourself because I felt you had been in my shoes at one point. Crazy to find out you weren’t. Thank you for listening to me cry about why this was such a huge deal and how you literally were giving me not only financial freedom but freedom from other things we spoke about that was personal to me. You never once rushed me off the phone or made me feel like I wasn’t your only customer.

If you are looking for a great human that holds no judgement call ** or email him at **. That’s his direct line and his email. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to put his contact info in there but I was lucky enough to get him so all I can do is recommend the man who gave me hope. If your in a financial situation regardless of your reason don’t worry Shaun will embrace you with open arms and take really great care of you! Tell him Kelly sent you!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your feedback, Kelly. At Freedom Debt Relief, we have your best interest in mind and we are glad to inform and explain our program very thoroughly. We are thrilled to hear of your positive experience with Shaun and we wish you the best in regards to becoming debt free! Please reach out to our Client Services department or you can log into your Client Dashboard at www.fdrclient.com if you have any questions or comments regarding your account. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

We had some credit cards and we did some stuff around the house. When I was working, everything was fine because my husband got his pay and then I also got one the following week. My doctor retired me on disability back in 2015. So, we went from a pay every week to a pay every other week. And then, I got my pay once a month. And there's at least one, sometimes two weeks out of every month, that there's nothing coming in. We got behind on things and it just got to the point when we just couldn't do it anymore.

I saw Freedom Debt Relief and filled out a thing online on my phone and within a couple seconds, I got a phone call from them. It sounded like the right thing to do. I saw the reviews on Freedom and after I talked to Steve, I was comfortable with it. We kept us from filing bankruptcy. For all those years, I didn't wanna do it. I wouldn't have done anything. That's what we would have to do, and I don't wanna do that. But Steve made me feel comfortable. He was also very understanding. I expressed how nervous I was and he took the time to explain things.

So I had five credit cards and so far, three of them are settled. Freedom negotiates and our interest rates are lowered. They've gotten some taken off. When I also called and talked to the people at Freedom, they took the money out from my dedicated account, stopped the automatic deposit until a certain time in November and then they started them back up again. If I would've needed longer, they said all I have to do is call. They worked with me with that. That was awesome for me because my friend said whenever she ran into any issues or anything that she went through, Freedom didn't care.

The payment plan was also good because it was a certain amount that comes out every month. We decided that we wanted to make sure that it was in the account whenever they took it out. Freedom worked with us and they took it out the day after my husband gets paid. It still equals the same amount every month, but it's just two separate deposits, which works awesome. Rather than taking a big chunk out of your pay once a month, they do half-and-half.

The only thing that I don't like about the process is they don't answer the telephone whenever the creditors are calling. Also, it just seems like it takes forever for the first settlement. That made me nervous. I called them because my phone was ringing like crazy from all these places. But once Freedom answers, things are getting settled quickly. I'm almost halfway getting everything settled. Freedom has impacted our lives in a better way. Right now, we still have that money coming out. Sometimes it's a little more difficult but it's a lot better than what it was. I was a nervous-wreck before but I'm calmer now. I would recommend Freedom Debt Relief to anybody.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a wonderful review, Elizabeth. We're proud to be on your side to help you at a time you need it most. Your progress with us has been phenomenal and we're excited to see you reach your next milestone. If you have questions or need assistance with your account in the future, please don't hesitate to contact our client services team. They can be reached by calling (800) 655-6303 or log onto your client dashboard at www.fdrclient.com and chat with us! Thank you for being a part of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My wife and I have been raising our grandson who has autism and there were some unexpected expenses that came up. We decided that we gotta have some credit cards, try to build credit. And then it got to the point where it was a real struggle for me to pay for them. I called a few debt relief companies and Freedom Debt Relief seem to have a better plan than the others. I got in contact with the Freedom Debt Relief rep and explained to him. Then he put a plan together and asked me if I was okay with that. I had talked to someone else before and they were a lot more expensive than FDR, and it was about the same amount of time.

I pay FDR once at the beginning of the month. They do an automated withdrawal from one of my checking accounts, and then they distribute the money to my debtors. I also have another service with Freedom Debt Relief. It’s the legal part of it. There was a company that was gonna sue me and would take me to court. So, I got in touch with FDR, then they got me in touch with a lawyer that I would retain. I received a subpoena to court and I sent the subpoena to FDR, and we had a small letter. The lawyer took care of it before it ever went to court.

I’m very satisfied with the quality of service from FDR. However, I have a debt with Premier Bank and FDR is not working on it quite as fast as they would like. Premier Bank keeps calling me and telling me that FDR hasn't contacted them. The way that Freedom Debt explained it to me was that some of the creditors would call me more often because FDR tried to talk to them to settle, but they wouldn’t settle. So, the FDR rep said, “The longer you wait, the better the settlement will be.” What the rep was saying is that rather than basically not get anything, the creditors would settle for something less.

My debt was gonna be $32,000 if I kept going like I was. This was from credit cards and a couple of unsecured loans. But FDR is helping me out with that. They are one of the top debt relief companies on the internet and they got me down to $18,000, although it’s taking a little time. I’ve been with them for almost a year now. My credit score dropped and they said that would be normal, but it's actually not. My credit is taking a hit under, but I’m okay with that because, in four years, I’ll be completely out of debt as far as that part goes.

Hello Howard,

We greatly appreciate your honest and detailed response. We are so proud to hear you and your wife joined our program and are now on the way to having financial freedom. We want to take that extra weight off your back and to give you the peace of mind you absolutely deserve. Our Customer Service department is happy to assist in answering any questions or concerns you have about your accounts and the status of reaching a structured settlement. You and your wife have a very bright future ahead of you and we are extremely confident you both will continue to see excellent results. Please reach out to our Client Services department at 1 (800) 655-6303 or you can log into your Client Dashboard at www.fdrclient.com if you have any questions or comments regarding your account. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I didn’t wanna file for bankruptcy and in the past, I went with another debt relief company called Fastrack but it was pretty short-lived. I really didn’t trust them giving them my bank account information and expecting them to put the money that I give them or the money they’re gonna take from me into an account to pay my debt. It didn’t seem right. Then when I went online and started researching different debt relief companies, I came to find out that they didn’t have the greatest rating. And that Freedom Debt Relief did.

But initially, I heard about Freedom Debt Relief from Shark Tank. The Barbara Corcoran was on there and I saw an advertisement. She highly recommended them and I thought that she must know what she was talking about. She is a billionaire in real estate. So, I started reading up about Freedom Debt Relief and I saw a lot of good reviews. I even went on to Business Better Bureau and saw they had a good rating, so I tried them out.

So far, Freedom Debt Relief has been wonderful. Whenever I had to add a debt to my account, they did that and were always there if I had questions to ask. And whenever they settled my debt for me, they emailed me right away and also texted me. If I didn’t respond, they would call me about it. So, I’ve not had any bad experience with them. They even worked with me this past summer. I’m a teacher, so I work during the school year and I wasn’t working that summer. I told them that this one month was gonna be a little tough to make the payment and asked them if we could switch the plan or the graduation package. They worked with me in order to still take money out but in a way that would also work for me.

I’ve been with them for two years now and whenever I have a question or a problem, I'd call them up and talk to them. I spoke to someone in the beginning then whenever I called, I got different people. It was usually never the same one but I’ve never had anyone not understand my whole financial situation. It is right there on the computer and everyone I’ve ever spoken to has been able to tell me how we would work things out. And they’ve arranged everything or do whatever I needed.

I had about five accounts that they settled for me, some of the smaller ones, and I have a lot of small credit card debts that just kinda added up. They’ve been doing a great job, so it’s just a matter of how much they take out a month that I can put in and keep putting towards the account so that they can say we have enough and we can make a settlement type of thing. So, I’m still on track for the graduation date I had set and everything seems to be okay. But, it is nice to know that in a few years, I’ll have all this resolved then I can move on. And hopefully, my credit score will go up.

Their website is also great. I can easily get on the dashboard and see what is going on with the account. I would highly recommend them. If you have any accumulated debt and it is too much for you to handle, give Freedom Debt Relief a call because they set everything up on how much you make, how much you can afford to pay every month, and what your plan would be.

Hello Lisa,

Thank you for your amazing feedback. We are so proud you chose us as your debt resolution option because are definitely the best option to reduce your debt. We will negotiate on all of the accounts enrolled in our program and soon you will see great success in becoming financially free. Please reach out to our client services department at (800) 655-6303 or support@freedomdebtrelief.com if you have any questions or comments regarding your account. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Everyone at Freedom Debt Relief was very professional and carefully explained the process of getting out of debt. Felt relieved and excited about taking control of my debt. In the future, I will recommend anyone to FDR because of the way they took the time and explained the pros and cons. Believe me, the pros outweigh the cons.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

When you are so in debt that you think there’s no help but you wanna do the right thing, call FDR. They help you resolve your debt and get you debt-free and back in good finances. I’m so glad I took a chance. They help you the whole way through and are always there when you need help or answers. Thank you, FDR.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Excellent service, great customer service. Would recommend to family and friends, thank you. I feel very secure with Freedom Debt Relief because they care for me and family very important. They always keep you up to date and informed about the process, thanks highly recommend.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Freedom Debt Relief is a great service to help anyone negotiate old debts to lower levels. It also has connections with a legal firm to handle and legal issues arising out of non-debt payments. FDR also lessens the tensions and worry concerning paying all your outstanding bills.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Nick ** at Greenlink Funding explained the process from start to finish. I had heard about this debt relief program, and was relieved to be qualified and approved. Thanks for having this program to help folks better handle their debts and spending. Sincerely, ~Ronayne

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information