2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.51/5
Based on 3,251 ratings submitted in the last year

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Freedom Debt Relief Video
BOTTOM LINE

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

PROS
  • No fees until settlement is reached
  • Successful track record
  • Works with high debt amounts
  • Long-term credit recovery
CONS
  • Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
  • Short-term impact on credit

Top Freedom Debt Relief Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

I’m so grateful to the staff of Freedom Debt Relief. It’s been a struggle at times, but it also has been a positive crossroad ... This is the best decision I have ever made for myself. Good Luck. There is a light at the end of this endeavor.

I have had an excellent experience with FDR. They listened, got me where I needed to be, and stuck with me the entire time. It has been a journey worth taking. They are faster than other businesses... their website is full of material, but mostly I enjoyed… seeing my progress.

Freedom Debt Relief Get Started

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) specializes in debt resolution, negotiation and settlement services for those grappling with overwhelming debt. In business since 2002, FDR touts a record of saving its customers a combined $10 billion through debt settlements. It’s a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators and part of the American Fair Credit Council.

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, an unsecured personal loan or outstanding medical bills, FDR will work to help you negotiate a settlement with your creditors for as low as 50 percent of what you owe.

How does Freedom Debt Relief work?

To get started with Freedom Debt Relief, you must have at least $15,000 in unsecured debt unattached to collateral, such as a house or car. If you qualify, you’ll talk with one of FDR’s consultants to find a plan that works for you.

FDR’s program length typically ranges from 24 to 48 months, and you can track your progress through the online dashboard 24/7. The company also offers an online evaluation tool to help you see if you qualify.

FDR will then help you set up a savings account — these are secured by the FDIC, allow you to deposit cash and help with your debt settlement. Your certified debt consultant will then determine when the best time is to attempt to negotiate with your creditors.

If you reach a solution, FDR will ask you to authorize the agreement then charge a fee based on the settlement. It won’t charge until a settlement is reached; however, not all creditors will let you settle.

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?

Freedom Debt Relief’s fees typically range from 15% to 25% of the settled debt. When you apply, a certified debt consultant will receive your case and you’ll get an exact percentage and a monthly cost. Fees vary depending on the state you live in.

Legally, FDR can’t charge any upfront fees, so each charge is initiated after the company settles part of your debt. Users need to authorize a settlement before the company initiates any charges, so this fee should never be a surprise.

Freedom Debt Relief FAQ

How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
As with all debt relief and settlement programs, working with Freedom Debt Relief will likely negatively affect your credit in the short term. However, a Freedom Debt Relief program can help encourage positive credit habits, which over time could help improve your credit. The company conducted a study and reported that its customers’ credit improved significantly over 24 to 45 months.
Where is Freedom Debt Relief located?
Freedom Debt Relief has offices in Phoenix, Arizona, and San Mateo, California, but it serves customers across the country.
Is Freedom Debt Relief a debt settlement company?
Yes, Freedom Debt Relief’s program involves negotiating settlements with your creditors.
How long does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
According to a study conducted by the company, customers of Freedom Debt Relief saw a significant dip in credit score in the beginning, with median scores of 497 at six months after enrollment, then saw a steady increase, with median scores reaching 604 at 24 months and 648 at 45 months. This study tracked the scores of customers between 2014 and 2018 with a median starting credit score of 650.
Does Freedom Debt Relief offer loans?
Freedom Debt Relief does offer debt consolidation loans; however, since debt settlement is its specialty, its certified debt consultants prefer to try debt settlement first.

Is Freedom Debt Relief legit?

Freedom Debt Relief is a reputable company with a proven track record. The company is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators. If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, Freedom Debt Relief may be able to help you.

While all debt relief services will likely cause a negative mark on your credit report, Freedom Debt Relief professionals can assist you in negotiating with creditors in a way you may not be able to do yourself. Although its fees may be high — as much as 25% of what you save on your debt — it still may cost you less than paying the debt in full.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

This is my second time using the program because I had a problem. I was looking for debt relief at least 10 years ago, I used Freedom Debt Relief and it worked out well so I decided to do it again. The first time I was nervous. I had a million and one questions. I'm like, "Oh, what am I doing?" But then, "What do I have to lose at this point?" So it's almost, "Okay, do I do this?" I know a family member had said they did a debt program, and it hurt them more than it helped them. But I was, "Well, I want to do that program." Because wherever they went, they weren't making payments to the creditors. They weren't making settlements the way they should.

I just did my research. And then I asked a representative a lot of questions about their program, what made them different, why should I trust them. He had no problem answering any of my questions, very open. And the website has truly upgraded from when I first started years ago. You can check your dashboard at any time you want so you can see the progress. It shows you what's in progress, what has already been settled, about how far you have to go. You can see everything, what’s in negotiation, what's going to come up in the future.

I stopped paying the cards. They deal with the creditors, make settlements. And then they base it off what you can afford each month. They give you an estimate and tell you, "Okay, we need you to spend this much a month in your account." If you're consistent with having your money in there, so the money is available, so when they make these settlements, you make them knowing the money is there to make the payment.

I set mine up as I get paid biweekly, so it's for auto debit biweekly. If you add up all of your minimum payments that you pay on these cards, your overall payment in this program is less than what you pay on these minimum payments. So in a sense, you're saving money, because you stop paying your cards, you're not making all these small minimum payments putting zero debts -- unless you pay over minimum, you are not putting a dent in your credit card debt.

Their actual fees are on the back end. They don't take anything from you until they made their settlements. So, the money you put in there every biweekly, monthly, however you want to make your payment goes towards your debt. At the end of the program, you're still doing your payments, but at this point, they have let's say $100 going towards your credit cards, your payment is 110, $10 is going to them. They factor in such a small amount for their fee that you really don't see them.

If you wanted a program for four years, they take your debt, and they average it out, "Okay, we can probably settle it for 40%, 50%," less than what you pay, and they based their calculation from that. And if you want to do it four years, over two years, depends on how long you want your debt enroll the program is how they calculate your payment based off of how long you want the debt. You can be more aggressive and do a two-year program and it seems to be higher.

This is my second time in the four-year program and it works for me because my payments are less than minimum payments. I'm saving money. And then when I have extra money, I go ahead and put it in there so they can make faster settlements. I've done that with two credit cards so far. They were able to settle them faster by increasing the payment amount to get them knocked out. I feel they do care about their clients. It's not a get rich quick thing like, "Oh, I'm just going to take my money from this client." No, it's like, "We're really going to try to get you that settlement."

They do actively and aggressively attack your credit card payments. My experience has been good. They will let you know. Several ways, "Okay, we've got a settlement," they will text you, email you, or call you. And even when you complete the program, you get your full packet. You will get your graduation letter. They have removed charge-off because they make sure they get letters from the creditors saying, "Settled. This was settled. It’s not a charge-off. This was settled." That changes the terminology on your credit report, which doesn't affect your score like a charge-off. They do what they're supposed to do. As long as you continue your payments, you're good to go.

I've learned this time with my credit card debt, it's something I don't want to do again. But they gave me that opportunity to clear it and build my credit back and use it responsibly. It's a burden relief off of you. So it's, "God, I'm not stressed out about -- yeah, I'm making these minimum payments, but I'm really not doing anything.” I've got a massive student loan debt so it's the fact that I was able to go ahead, let them handle this and clear this up, allowed me to focus on that.

I have a family of five. We got three kids and my husband. It's just like the credit card, it's easy to spiral out of control. I'm glad this opportunity was there to get rid of it and then learn from it, and move on without this huge stress. I'm not wasting my money every month. Also, I don't have to deal with the headache of going back and forth with the creditors. That's a headache because they don't want to settle with you or you do the payment right now. It's like, "I can't pay you $2,000 right now up front." So, working through Freedom, they are able to make these settlements and on payment plans, and close the settlements and be done with it.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Wow, Adria! We cannot thank you enough for your amazing feedback regarding your experience in our program! We take pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we're always here for you. We cannot wait for you to officially become debt-free and we look forward to assisting you further. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I was thirty-plus thousand dollars in debt. I had a business and unfortunately, an event occurred and it caused me to go for a downward plunge. By the time I got finished with what all of these credit card companies charged me, I was way well over my head. I was starting a new life and a new job. I didn't wanna claim bankruptcy because I wanted to do it the right way, regardless if it’s wrong, right, indifferent. I started searching for different programs on the internet and I came across Freedom Debt Relief. Once I researched it, I called them and asked them what they could do for me. They answered the questions that I had such as what are the legalities and can they protect me from anyone suing me. I had already lost everything but I wanted to start over fresh. I didn't want my checks garnished.

They kinda gave me an overview of what they could do and how they work. At that point, I was submitting to any kind of alternative option to get my debt taken care of. I gave them the ball and I had to trust them blind faithfully. I've heard other people in my family saying, "I don't know if that's such a great thing. Maybe you should rethink it." But I couldn't. There were too many accounts and I couldn't manage that all on my own. I needed professional help to help me do it if I wasn't gonna bankrupt.

Freedom Debt Relief has been awesome with me and they've helped me get through it. We've gone a long way in a short period of time. They've been a great benefit to me. My credit scores have increased. I don't have anybody antagonizing me to take anything away from me. The legal aspect of it stopped. If I call them, they're very open to answering any of my questions and in a way that I can understand. I appreciate them very much.

There was a small discrepancy from what they told me though. On the program itself, it states that they can get anywhere between 50% and 75% off of whatever it is that you owe. They gave me a projection, how to make that happen and when I would have a graduation date. As we go along the program, I started to realize that the first few of them were nicely done. I had saved over 50%. Then it started to dwindle down to 45% savings. They said we were gonna have to extend my graduation date. It's not gonna be four years, it's gonna be four and a half years. Those types of things get people to where they're standoffish. You start to not wanna trust them. With the way things are working in life right now, anything is fearful. We get fearful for any little discrepancy. They could let the consumer know if we were to go ahead and give another $10 or $15, we could make it in the same amount of time.

What they do after everything's said and done is to take away the extra fees that they put on there which is the interest and the late fees. So, in reality, I'm paying that principal amount which is okay. But it goes to my credit report and it states that I've only paid a portion of it when I have paid the whole principal. Once you pay, they just incorporate that all in that 50% off. I end up paying the whole thing anyways.

Another thing is if they find that that you have another account with Freedom Debt Relief and you agree to add it, that's gonna increase your deposit by so much. You're gonna have to go ahead and extend the amount of time you'll be with the program. If I have to pay for the program, that means that on top of that account being added and me being passed on months or years as we go along, I also have to pay the 9.99 and the 19.99. That's an extra $30 per month times how many months I have to be with the program extended.

But in the end, thank God that I was able to come this far in such a short time and they were able to tackle this big mess that we put us in. It was over 30 accounts and I should be appreciative. I have so much respect for them and I appreciate everything they've done. I would totally suggest them to anyone that goes through the same. I hope nobody goes through what I went through but I'm sure that there are people, especially with this coronavirus, that will walk through the same path I did in a short time, and I will represent Freedom Debt Relief with a good review.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Excellent feedback, Rebecca! It's disheartening to learn what eventually led you to our program. However, we are thrilled to be a part of your journey to financial freedom. It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts. Our top goal is to make sure we support our clients at every step. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief as your guide to financial freedom!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My concerns all boil down to a person not realizing what high-interest credit cards will do to you. It isn’t like you pay back $1 for $1 you're charged. You end up paying back a whole lot more than that $1. It's just like the government has given them a green light to charge over what they want to on fees, and interest rates. And before you know it, you’re in too deep, you can't get out. You have to have help.

I'm old now. I'm in my 60s, but I've had credit cards all my life and always had a perfect record. I never not paid back any debt. It was always perfect. And then, all of a sudden, one day, it was okay for them to charge 16%, 17%, 18%, 23% interest. And when that happened, all of a sudden, people couldn't ever dig their way out of a hole. The credit card company profits on their sale if you're gonna charge somebody 30% interest. I get offers in the mail right now for credit cards with 33% interest. You ever hear the beat of that? 33%. That's the goofiest thing I ever heard. And credit card companies have brought this on themselves. I'm just thankful to have heard of a company like Freedom Debt Relief that you can turn to to get some help. Everybody's not capable of climbing out of a hole when you're paying 25% 26% interest. You can never find your way out.

Ken gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him anytime I have any concerns. That was pretty neat. Not everybody’s gonna give you a personal number that you can call them and it's direct to them. That was pretty impressive. They've got it pretty well down pat. They negotiate on your behalf, and they take care of everything. All you do is just pay your fee and they do the rest of it. It's a wonderful service and a very needful thing in this day and time. If credit cards wanna pay that kind of interest, let them deal with somebody that's gonna negotiate with them. Because when you get your customer in a hole where they can't dig out, be ready to deal with somebody like Freedom Debt Relief because debt is something that credit card companies thrive on.

The credit cards have got a bit too sweet a deal for them because they can charge whatever interest rate they want to. And it’s like feeding a baby candy for every meal. Sooner or later, you're gonna have problems. And it's your fault for feeding them that many calories. This interest rate that they charge is destroying people. It finally got to me and I never reneged on a debt in my lifetime, or lose anything until rates got so high I couldn’t afford them. And all of a sudden, you can't use your credit card like you used to because they will bury you in debt.

I'm already at least two years into the program. I'm satisfied. Freedom does a good job. They let you know, just as soon as they got to the point to where they can negotiate and make the payment, and pay one of them and get rid of it, and move on to the next one. Also, they always send alerts and highlights, and let you know what they're doing and where they're at. And they keep communication open with you. Another good thing is whenever you call them, it doesn't matter who answers the phone. It doesn't have to be Ken. They would look at your file and they would all get it figured out like they have all been taught how the program works, and they're extremely knowledgeable. It doesn't matter who you talk to. They know what you're talking about. And they can tell you every move to make. They're top-notch now. I recommend them highly. If you get buried in debt, they're about the only hope you're gonna get.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing with us, John. We understand exactly how you feel concerning the interest charged by your creditors. It can become too much for our average client, which is why we created this affordable solution. Each month as you fulfill your program commitment, you get one step closer to being debt-free! We are excited to assist you throughout this journey! Please reach out to our client services department at (800) 655-6303 or support@freedomdebtrelief.com if you ever need assistance. They can be reached at 1(800)-655-6303. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I had quite a few bills and I wanted to get rid of them. A company sent me something through the mail, and I started going with them, but I had to keep going to some place where I had to keep on faxing everything that I had over to them, and it was costing me quite a bit of money. Then, the woman from Freedom Debt Relief called me on a Sunday. I told the other company I wanted my money back because I decided to go with someone else. So, they sent me the money back and I went with Freedom Debt. Their debt consultants were very good.

I would have been all done with the program, but my sister had one that I co-signed for her, and I didn’t remember that I did it. It was for CareCredit. After she passed away, her husband and her son were going through taking care of all her bills, and they called me and asked me about this one. They sent me a letter from the banks that they went through with CareCredit, and I told them, “I don’t remember having anything with them.” But then the bank sent me a statement with the name of the places that she was taking money because she had cancer and she needed quite a bit of money, and she asked me to help her, which I did. I'm her sister and I felt sorry for her.

When the bank sent me the statement stating where that credit was from, then it dawned on me, I did go and I took out the credit for her. So, when I told the bank I’m responsible for it, and I took that and I put it in through debt management, and Freedom made that deal with the bank. They paid it off now. May 19th was one payment and June 19th was the final payment.

I only have Merrick Bank and Cabela's. They made the deal with it. They’re paying them a dollar a month. I had six of them that I put through and CareCredit was number seven. Merrick Bank is the last one now. It would have been paid in 2018. But what happened was I don’t have an internet and my sister put it on her internet. She was looking it up. And when they were making the settlements, they would go on the internet with her, and she’d call me and tell me that they wanna make a settlement.

With Merrick Bank, my sister was getting chemo treatments and she was very sick and she didn’t go on the computer. I called and asked her, “Did you hear anything from debt management on your computer?” She said, “You know, I'm too sick to even go and look at it.” I told her, “You know, don’t bother. I'll just call them.” When I called, the one they sent her was a settlement and they told me what it was. It was supposed to be like $194 a month for a whole year until December of that year. But when they tried it, it was too late already, so they had to put it back at the end of the book. So, that’s why that’s the last one that they're gonna be working on now. One time, they did call me and I didn’t know what they wanted. I was home but by the time I got to the phone, they hung up, and they didn’t leave any message. So, I right away called them and it was to make one of the settlements. I'm very satisfied with Freedom Debt Relief.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Rose! We are so glad we could step in and help you during your hardship. We are extremely sorry to hear about your sisters passing, our condolences! We are relieved to see even though there was a debt overlooked in the beginning process we could still step in, and assist you in resolving that account. If you need anything, please reach out to our team of professionals at 1(800)-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: May 1, 2020

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) was a blessing from beginning to end. I enrolled four debts into the program totaling close to $60,000. FDR negotiated my debts down by 43%. I graduated the program in just 2.5 years, which is 19 months ahead of the estimated graduation date. I accomplished this by making as many additional deposits as I could by working lots of overtime and making sacrifices in budgeting.

My program deposits every two weeks were only $430, but this amount will differ for each person. There was a one-time account set-up fee for only $9. There was a monthly service fee of only $7.25. The NLLG monthly service fee was only $12 (NLLG is the legal protection in case you get sued by a creditor). Each phone or ACH payment to a creditor was only $3. Settlement fees were 15% of each enrolled balance but was only due after an individual debt was negotiated and I agreed to the settlement. These settlement fees were paid in installments or by lump sum, depending mostly on how much money was in my account. Note that all these fees may be slightly different for you depending on your location and other factors.

Overall, the fees were less than 2% of my entire program (not including the settlement fee, which was 15%). Do not let these fees bother you. They are very reasonable. The biggest takeaway from my review should be this: Make sure to stay consistent with your bi-weekly deposit schedule and make additional deposits as much as you can.

I heard of this program from a website, so I contacted a representative for more information and to ask several questions related to the program. The gentleman was helpful and supportive. I told him I would think about the program and get back to him soon. I did some research online to verify any details I could find. I decided to join the program. I had no trouble getting a hold of him and getting everything set up.

I received my welcome guide from FDR. I read through the guide thoroughly to make sure I fully understood the program. I read through the welcome guide more than once during my program, and I read through the frequently asked questions (FAQ) on my FDR dashboard more than once during my program. It is easy to forget a detail or two over time, so I wanted to make sure I kept well-informed about the program and my specific role in it. The guide said the first settlement may take four to six months; I got mine in about two weeks. The guide contained action items, which I made sure to follow exactly.

For example, I added their phone number and text code into my cell phone, I stopped making payments to my creditors, I stayed consistent with my monthly deposits, I kept them up to date on any changes in my life that may be relevant to the program, and I sent them any notices I received of my debts being sold to collectors. I was out of work for a short time, so I informed them when I was out of work and informed them when I got a new job. It is important to read those action items and be sure to follow them to ensure your best chance at success with the program.

I do not remember the exact count, but I contacted FDR by phone or live chat at least three or four times. The representatives answered my questions immediately, sufficiently, and kindly. If you need to cancel a scheduled deposit, make sure to call at least a couple of days before the deposit is scheduled. In one conversation, I was told my bi-weekly deposits would continue until all my debts were fully resolved, meaning the final payments have cleared both banks. Do not be surprised if you have graduated the program, but your deposits are still happening. Mine were refunded to me within three days or so once all transactions were cleared. I am greatly pleased and full of gratitude for this program and for the individuals in FDR who helped me to reach financial freedom. Thank you for your due diligence. Family, friends, and co-workers have heard from me how happy I have been with the results of this program.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you so much for your generous feedback, Aaron. We couldn't be any happier than to know you have completed your graduation path and reached your goal of financial freedom! We also want to thank you for all your inspiring words and support you give to our company. We applaud you for this great accomplishment! If you ever have any questions or concerns, please contact Client Services at (800) 655-6303 or email us at support@freedomdebtrelief.com. Thank you for being the best part of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: April 9, 2021

Yes... I would recommend to a friend. The agents are open to hear your challenges and are willing to work with you to help stay on track. Each agent that has helped me were very professional and understanding. You are all great!!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you, Iris, for taking the time to leave us a review! Our team takes pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we'll always be by your side. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: April 9, 2021

I will definitely recommend to all of my community due to this is a great opportunity to solve your debts as soon as possible. Touch with FDR for mentally relax and enjoy the relaxed debt free life. They are very much honest and cooperative.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello, Anil! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! Our team takes pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we'll always be here for you. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: April 9, 2021

This program is just what we needed to help to bring us out of a difficult time. The representative Allan was very kind and helpful, and made the whole beginning process very comfortable. Now that we have a plan, I feel confident that we will be back on track quickly.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello, Kimberly! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! Our team takes pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we'll always be here for you. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: April 9, 2021

I thought I wouldn’t have been able to take care of all my accounts but Freedom Debt Relief really went out of their way to take care of me. Knowing I wasn’t credit worthy they still consolidated everything. This company is a class act.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you, John, for taking the time to leave us a review! Our team takes pride in making sure our clients are supported throughout the process and we'll always be here for you. If you have any questions, be sure to call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: April 9, 2021

There is some release from debtors' pressure after being injured and unable to work for 4 years, then being forced to retire, due to injuries and age, with 2/3s less income. Never thought it would happen to me. Thanks for Freedom Debt Relief!!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello, Terry! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We cannot tell you how happy it makes us to hear about your experience and we look forward to you becoming debt-free. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information