4.4/5 (2449 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Top Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I’m so grateful to the staff of Freedom Debt Relief. It’s been a struggle at times, but it also has been a positive crossroad ... This is the best decision I have ever made for my...

Verified

I have had an excellent experience with FDR. They listened, got me where I needed to be, and stuck with me the entire time. It has been a journey worth taking. They are faster tha...

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) specializes in debt resolution, negotiation and settlement services for those grappling with overwhelming debt. In business since 2002, FDR touts a record of saving its customers a combined $10 billion through debt settlements. It’s a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators and part of the American Fair Credit Council.

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, an unsecured personal loan or outstanding medical bills, FDR will work to help you negotiate a settlement with your creditors for as low as 50 percent of what you owe.

How does Freedom Debt Relief work?

To get started with Freedom Debt Relief, you must have at least $15,000 in unsecured debt unattached to collateral, such as a house or car. If you qualify, you’ll talk with one of FDR’s consultants to find a plan that works for you.

FDR’s program length typically ranges from 24 to 48 months, and you can track your progress through the online dashboard 24/7. The company also offers an online evaluation tool to help you see if you qualify.

FDR will then help you set up a savings account — these are secured by the FDIC, allow you to deposit cash and help with your debt settlement. Your certified debt consultant will then determine when the best time is to attempt to negotiate with your creditors.

If you reach a solution, FDR will ask you to authorize the agreement then charge a fee based on the settlement. It won’t charge until a settlement is reached; however, not all creditors will let you settle.

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?

Freedom Debt Relief’s fees typically range from 15% to 25% of the settled debt. When you apply, a certified debt consultant will receive your case and you’ll get an exact percentage and a monthly cost. Fees vary depending on the state you live in.

Legally, FDR can’t charge any upfront fees, so each charge is initiated after the company settles part of your debt. Users need to authorize a settlement before the company initiates any charges, so this fee should never be a surprise.

Freedom Debt Relief FAQ

How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
    As with all debt relief and settlement programs, working with Freedom Debt Relief will likely negatively affect your credit in the short term. However, a Freedom Debt Relief program can help encourage positive credit habits, which over time could help improve your credit. The company conducted a study and reported that its customers’ credit improved significantly over 24 to 45 months.
    Where is Freedom Debt Relief located?
    Freedom Debt Relief has offices in Phoenix, Arizona, and San Mateo, California, but it serves customers across the country.
    Is Freedom Debt Relief a debt settlement company?
    Yes, Freedom Debt Relief’s program involves negotiating settlements with your creditors.
    How long does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
    According to a study conducted by the company, customers of Freedom Debt Relief saw a significant dip in credit score in the beginning, with median scores of 497 at six months after enrollment, then saw a steady increase, with median scores reaching 604 at 24 months and 648 at 45 months. This study tracked the scores of customers between 2014 and 2018 with a median starting credit score of 650.
    Does Freedom Debt Relief offer loans?
    Freedom Debt Relief does offer debt consolidation loans; however, since debt settlement is its specialty, its certified debt consultants prefer to try debt settlement first.

Is Freedom Debt Relief legit?

Freedom Debt Relief is a reputable company with a proven track record. The company is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators. If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, Freedom Debt Relief may be able to help you.

While all debt relief services will likely cause a negative mark on your credit report, Freedom Debt Relief professionals can assist you in negotiating with creditors in a way you may not be able to do yourself. Although its fees may be high — as much as 25% of what you save on your debt — it still may cost you less than paying the debt in full.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: July 27, 2022

It is a hard pill to swallow when you realize you are in debt and see no end at the tunnel. My husband and I lost both of what we thought would be life long careers in 2019. Shortly thereafter Covid Pandemic hit. And here we were. Stuck, only way to live was by using what credit we had. Praying that things would change, and we would find work. But then schools shut down, I became mom, school, teacher and trying to work from home. My husband was working a dead-end job. With no hope in sight. Almost three years later, boom swimming in debt. We are not bad people. We did what we had to do to keep our family above water. So, after some life changes and getting back on our feet. I reached out to the first debt consolidation firm. To which I will not name. BUT absolutely the worst experience ever. They not only made me feel ashamed, but they basically treated me like a very low-class citizen.

I did some searching and happened to catch the commercial on TV about Freedom Debt. I was given the opportunity to speak with a man named Cory **. Not only was he nice. But so very helpful. Personable, positive. He didn't treat me like a 3rd class citizen. He completely understood our position. And He literally made it his goal to help us. This problem we are in didn't happen overnight. But It is a problem we can solve. But, without Cory, this wouldn't be happening. Since speaking with him, we have things happening that will definitely secure our future. My husband got a phone call about a new contract. And I found a job that doesn't discriminate against my medical choice to not be vaccinated. So, I am finally going back to work. So, things are looking up.

Cory was able to help us get set up on a plan. To which, It won't takes us the time allotted to complete. Simply because, it seems that the good lord is looking out for us OR CORY is our good luck charm. Either way, I am embracing the new beginnings. Cory was so helpful, full of knowledge, And positive. And made signing up for this program very easy. I cannot thank Cory enough for what he has done and is doing for my family. I can finally breath and sleep at night knowing that we have a light at the end of the tunnel. I give Cory 10 stars. And look forward to clearing my debt and getting back on track for our future endeavors. Thank you Cory and Thank you Freedom Debt Relief. My family and I appreciate all you have done thus far, and what you will be doing.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Kimberly. It is great to hear that you are happy with your choice of partnering with us to achieve a brighter financial future. We are excited to work with you towards your brighter financial future! Please reach out to customer service at (800) 655-6303 or support@freedomdebtrelief.com for any additional help you may need.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I’m nearing the end of my time with Freedom Debt Relief and it has changed the way I look at buying and spending. I used to put purchases on a card to get the points or the miles, thinking about all the bonuses I’d be getting, but not thinking about the accumulated interest I’d accrue on the balances. It got to be out of hand especially after my divorce and getting laid off. So I looked for a way out without declaring bankruptcy or asking for loans from relatives. I found Freedom Debt Relief after reading about ways to pay down debt and doing an online search. After I spoke with a counselor about my debt and how Freedom worked.

It would require trusting their negotiations and letting my credit cards go unpaid until a resolution was made. That was scary at first since I never had missed any payments and had excellent credit. It was rough gong for the first 3 or 4 months but soon I had my first settlement. I was notified by text and email and was able to accept it right from my phone. Whew. One down, four to go. I would get a settlement offer every 4-9 months so I knew they were working on negotiating with my creditors. I kept my part of the deal by making payments to my dedicated account (which were much less than what I’d have to pay all of my credit cards each month) and not paying anything towards those cards.

All through the process I was kept informed about what to expect and encouraged to stick with the program and not worry about my credit score since I knew I was responsible for the decline and I knew it would recover as I my debts were cleared. I learned a lot about my spending habits and how I could stay out of debt. It’s made me think carefully before deciding to buy. I’d recommend Freedom Debt Relief to anyone looking for a way out of debt, especially credit card debt. Listen to their methods and decide if you can deal with a moment of credit score drama in exchange for a lifetime of freedom from debt. I know it’s been worthwhile for me.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Ilsa. It is great to hear that you are happy with your choice of partnering with us to achieve a brighter financial future. We are excited for your new debt-free future and we will continue to be a source of support for you in the future. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

A friend referred me to FDR and I called them. They asked if I was okay with 348 per month and I agreed. Within a few months, they had the first credit card settled for 53% less than what I owed. A few months later, they were able to settle with the second credit card company for 50% less. The third card will be paid off in December of this year. Then just a few weeks ago, the fourth card finally went into a settlement for 50% less too. They'll make the first payment at the end of this month and it'll be 31 months. I'm hoping that when the one card gets paid off in December of this year, they can up the payment to the final credit card company. If I had been able to make the payments, it would have taken me 30 years to pay them off. Now, two of the cards are now paid off in full and it hasn't even been three years since I've been with FDR. My credit score was down in the 500s when I started. Now, my credit score is back up in the 700s.

The representatives have been helpful from day one and they always check in with me and let me know what's going on. If I get any statements or anything from the credit card companies, I scan those in or take a photo and email in those. I haven't had to move my payment date, but I'm sure they would be flexible with it. There are some months where I wish I could just be able to skip a payment, but I don't want to do that.

If you find yourself in a situation where you're not able to make monthly payments, noticing it's going more on the interest than the principal and it will take 30 years to pay off that debt, go with FDR and you can be debt-free within five years or less. Make sure you have that money in your checking account to get it transferred to them on the same date every single month and that's the only thing you need to worry about. They take care of the rest.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Congratulations on taking the necessary steps to become debt-free Ellen! Our program works very well because we make sure our clients are well informed and on board before making any decisions! It is great to hear that you are happy with our service efforts! Please let us know how we can continue supporting your journey to financial freedom! Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I had a very pleasant experience with FDR. When I had accumulated so much debt, it was getting hard to manage all the payments and trying to keep up with things, and I was paying out more payments than I was making just about. I had to do something and they helped me manage that. They were really easy to talk to, everything was very easy to understand. ​I even had two litigations that they helped me through and it took all the pressure off me. I didn't have to get any phone calls or be harassed by any of these credit card companies. They just took care of everything. It was awesome.

I utilize the dashboard all the time and it laid my anxieties. Every month you knew where you were at and I had the direct deposit where they took the money directly from my account and I could just check on the dashboard anytime I wanted to because I needed the visual too. I needed to look at my accounts and see what they have done. I could see everything and just being able to see everything and all of that action, I had not had to even take care of myself, compared to other things, it made me feel under control.

They really do what they say they're going to do. They've also got so much information on their website because there's all the Q and A's, I can go back and look through any of the steps. If there's anything that I don't understand, I can call to talk to a person either. Everyone that I have talked to personally on the phone was very knowledgeable, helpful and empathetic. That was what made me feel good about going with them. They also had everything out there so I could ask questions and get the information and it was a little bit too good to be true. Because when they said to not take the phone calls and what to do to get set up, it was a very short process and they literally took that off me. I didn't have to deal with that anymore myself.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Brenda thank you for reviewing your experience! We are very happy to hear that you made good use of your dashboard! We not only want to provide you with the best customer service, but we also want to provide you with the necessary tools achieve and maintain a brighter financial future! Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

My husband and I enrolled in Freedom Debt May 2018. We had about 111K in debt from our years of having two mortgage payments. We were hit by the economy crash of 2007, and by divorce, before we met and got married in 2013. Both of us had a lot of debt, from trying to pay two mortgages and paying off our debt from previous relationships. We were overwhelmed.

We ended up contacting Freedom Debt and enrolled in the program. We had a total of 14 debts to resolve and we were up to our eyeballs in stress, only making minimum payments, and never making a dent in our payoff amounts. Freedom debt discussed our options. We started off paying what we could. We started off paying how much we would pay for minimums for all 14 debts. We kept this up and with the help of Freedom, We were able to pay the first debt off immediately.

Freedom were able to negotiate settlements that range from 40% settlement to 80% settlement. When we had a legal case raised against one of our debts, Freedom Debt works in partnership with NLLG, Inc to help with court settlements. We were Extremely grateful for this service to keep us from having to go to court.

Our anticipated graduation timeframe, if we kept payments the same over the years was December 2024. We were able to graduate by August 2021 because we paid extra when we could, we increased our biweekly payments when we could, and we made sure paying off our debt was our main focus.

Here are my take-aways from this program.

1. Step into Payments that you can manage. Do not break your family finances trying to hurry the process. Pay what you can and if you graduate longer, you graduate longer.

2. Take advantage of the NLLG, Inc. Representation. They know how to settle things when the courts step in. ALWAYS follow their directions and the MOMENT you get a certified mail with a court document, open the door, sign for the document and call Freedom Debt IMMEDIATELY. If you do not, it can be difficult for them to assist. The moment you receive something court related, engage Freedom Debt.

3. Watch the videos that Freedom Debt gives. They tell you how to speak to your debtors. Avoiding phone calls does not make things better. Take the call, and follow the script.

4. Get used to the fact that there will be an influx of calls once you stop payments. This has to happen for Freedom Debt to Help. When you communicate using the scripts in the videos and stay to the script, things become much easier and the stress becomes less.

5. Do not skip your payments to Freedom Debt. Skipping payments can run the risk for payment schedules to be missed. Set yourself up for realistic payments. Don't over pay thinking you have this and then when an emergency hits, you are stuck.

6. When in doubt, call and speak with someone at Freedom Debt. They are there for you. You pay your monthly fees to use their service and they will help! We had a ton of debt. We were embarrassed, but once we get over the embarrassment, and we work the process, it is satisfying to be debt free.

WE CANNOT THANK FREEDOM DEBT and NLLG, Inc. ENOUGH for everything they did for us!!!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you, Erin, for going into detail and sharing that with us today! It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts. Always feel free to connect with us when support is needed. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief to reach your financial goals.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Very helpful from the first day I called until all my accounts were settled. They kept me up to date on my deposits and settlement dates. If I needed advise they where there to give good sound advise to keep me on track with the program. I would highly recommend them if you’re in need of getting your financing settled.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Ricky! It is great to hear that you are happy with your choice of partnering with us to achieve a brighter financial future. We are excited for your new debt-free future and we will continue to be a source of support for you in the future. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

I would have provided the company with an excellent rating if not for two reasons. First, the company appears not to be connected. For example, I still get invitations for enrollment request and answer questions on what to do about collection agencies.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We appreciate your feedback Brenda. We are actively looking for ways to provide a positive experience for our clients. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Nothing has happened, yet for me. I have made 2 payments so far. I need more payments made to get things rolling. I do have 2 cards that are a 0% interest rate. I don't know how that is going to work. You can't get any better than 0%.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello Michelle, settlements are dependent on accumulating sufficient funds in order to settle the debt and as long as we continue accumulating funds we should have no problems meeting your goals in realistic timeframes! If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Great people to work with, they have made everything easy and stressless. I haven't had to worry about any of the process and I just confirm settlement details which are always exceptional deals. Thankful to have found this company to help me get my credit back on track from my irresponsible young adult debt.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Brittney, thank you for sharing such positive feedback with us! We are happy to hear that you feel supported while working with us. We work very hard to ensure our clients experience debt relief and stress relief. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for allowing Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2022

Freedom Debt Relief is the best. Thank you so much for all your help. My credit score is starting to change for the best. I just can't wait for it to get back up to where I was before running in to a problem with my credit cards due to the Coronavirus.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi john, it is great to hear that you are happy with your choice of partnering with us to achieve a brighter financial future. We are excited for your new debt-free future and we will continue to be a source of support for you in the future. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information