4.5/5 (2369 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Top Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I’m so grateful to the staff of Freedom Debt Relief. It’s been a struggle at times, but it also has been a positive crossroad ... This is the best decision I have ever made for my...

Verified

I have had an excellent experience with FDR. They listened, got me where I needed to be, and stuck with me the entire time. It has been a journey worth taking. They are faster tha...

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) specializes in debt resolution, negotiation and settlement services for those grappling with overwhelming debt. In business since 2002, FDR touts a record of saving its customers a combined $10 billion through debt settlements. It’s a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators and part of the American Fair Credit Council.

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, an unsecured personal loan or outstanding medical bills, FDR will work to help you negotiate a settlement with your creditors for as low as 50 percent of what you owe.

How does Freedom Debt Relief work?

To get started with Freedom Debt Relief, you must have at least $15,000 in unsecured debt unattached to collateral, such as a house or car. If you qualify, you’ll talk with one of FDR’s consultants to find a plan that works for you.

FDR’s program length typically ranges from 24 to 48 months, and you can track your progress through the online dashboard 24/7. The company also offers an online evaluation tool to help you see if you qualify.

FDR will then help you set up a savings account — these are secured by the FDIC, allow you to deposit cash and help with your debt settlement. Your certified debt consultant will then determine when the best time is to attempt to negotiate with your creditors.

If you reach a solution, FDR will ask you to authorize the agreement then charge a fee based on the settlement. It won’t charge until a settlement is reached; however, not all creditors will let you settle.

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?

Freedom Debt Relief’s fees typically range from 15% to 25% of the settled debt. When you apply, a certified debt consultant will receive your case and you’ll get an exact percentage and a monthly cost. Fees vary depending on the state you live in.

Legally, FDR can’t charge any upfront fees, so each charge is initiated after the company settles part of your debt. Users need to authorize a settlement before the company initiates any charges, so this fee should never be a surprise.

Freedom Debt Relief FAQ

How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?

As with all debt relief and settlement programs, working with Freedom Debt Relief will likely negatively affect your credit in the short term. However, a Freedom Debt Relief program can help encourage positive credit habits, which over time could help improve your credit. The company conducted a study and reported that its customers’ credit improved significantly over 24 to 45 months.

Where is Freedom Debt Relief located?

Freedom Debt Relief has offices in Phoenix, Arizona, and San Mateo, California, but it serves customers across the country.

Is Freedom Debt Relief a debt settlement company?

Yes, Freedom Debt Relief’s program involves negotiating settlements with your creditors.

How long does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?

According to a study conducted by the company, customers of Freedom Debt Relief saw a significant dip in credit score in the beginning, with median scores of 497 at six months after enrollment, then saw a steady increase, with median scores reaching 604 at 24 months and 648 at 45 months. This study tracked the scores of customers between 2014 and 2018 with a median starting credit score of 650.

Does Freedom Debt Relief offer loans?

Freedom Debt Relief does offer debt consolidation loans; however, since debt settlement is its specialty, its certified debt consultants prefer to try debt settlement first.

Is Freedom Debt Relief legit?

Freedom Debt Relief is a reputable company with a proven track record. The company is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators. If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, Freedom Debt Relief may be able to help you.

While all debt relief services will likely cause a negative mark on your credit report, Freedom Debt Relief professionals can assist you in negotiating with creditors in a way you may not be able to do yourself. Although its fees may be high — as much as 25% of what you save on your debt — it still may cost you less than paying the debt in full.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 25k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2022

I say that because I wasn't completely prepared for what was about to happen to my already shaky credit score. I was making minimum payments, not even making a dent in any of my credit cards, kept going downhill from there. Getting loans to cover "a couple of cards" only to get behind on other ones. Got to the point of living paycheck to paycheck with no relief in sight. Finally, after not being able to get another loan, looked at Freedom Debt. They will go through all your accounts, add up all the debt that you have and give you a dollar amount that you will need to pay per month. You will stop paying all debt that you added to this program and wait for the fun part. Now you start getting all the missed payment notices, then come the annoying phones calls from creditors.

You start seeing your credit score tanking and now you're really screwed (at least for a few years) cause no one is gonna give you any kind of credit. Stick it through, don't be dumb and get into any more debt, and in a few years you start seeing some improvement. But wait, there's more!! Now you start paying off a few here and there, then come the tax papers from said creditors. It's funny cause no one really tells you about this part. They send you a few emails where you can click on different stories, one of them being these forms (1099 I believe) they don't really make a big deal of them. But they are!

They count as extra income so they need to be added to your taxes. For some not a big deal, for me, it sucked. It was the difference in paying or getting a refund. So another thing to be careful of. They say that it's rare, but for me, every creditor sent me one. At the end of everything, though, I stuck it through and it's in the rearview mirror. Not living paycheck to paycheck anymore and definitely hoping to never do this again!! Hahaha! TLDR: stick it through till the end, don't get any new debt. Plan will work. Don't stick it through, keep getting more credit cards. Don't even bother doing this.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello Antonio, thank you for your feedback. We understand that there are negative impact that come from our program such as the possibility of receiving 1099-c forms, which are sent out by your creditors. As well as the negative impact to your credit, you should see your credit improve as your accounts are resolved. If you compare our fees to the overall savings of your program, our clients still have obtain significant savings. We encourage you to contact customer services to address any questions you may have about your program.

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2022

It is a hard pill to swallow when you realize you are in debt and see no end at the tunnel. My husband and I lost both of what we thought would be life long careers in 2019. Shortly thereafter Covid Pandemic hit. And here we were. Stuck, only way to live was by using what credit we had. Praying that things would change, and we would find work. But then schools shut down, I became mom, school, teacher and trying to work from home. My husband was working a dead-end job. With no hope in sight. Almost three years later, boom swimming in debt. We are not bad people. We did what we had to do to keep our family above water. So, after some life changes and getting back on our feet. I reached out to the first debt consolidation firm. To which I will not name. BUT absolutely the worst experience ever. They not only made me feel ashamed, but they basically treated me like a very low-class citizen.

I did some searching and happened to catch the commercial on TV about Freedom Debt. I was given the opportunity to speak with a man named Cory **. Not only was he nice. But so very helpful. Personable, positive. He didn't treat me like a 3rd class citizen. He completely understood our position. And He literally made it his goal to help us. This problem we are in didn't happen overnight. But It is a problem we can solve. But, without Cory, this wouldn't be happening. Since speaking with him, we have things happening that will definitely secure our future. My husband got a phone call about a new contract. And I found a job that doesn't discriminate against my medical choice to not be vaccinated. So, I am finally going back to work. So, things are looking up.

Cory was able to help us get set up on a plan. To which, It won't takes us the time allotted to complete. Simply because, it seems that the good lord is looking out for us OR CORY is our good luck charm. Either way, I am embracing the new beginnings. Cory was so helpful, full of knowledge, And positive. And made signing up for this program very easy. I cannot thank Cory enough for what he has done and is doing for my family. I can finally breath and sleep at night knowing that we have a light at the end of the tunnel. I give Cory 10 stars. And look forward to clearing my debt and getting back on track for our future endeavors. Thank you Cory and Thank you Freedom Debt Relief. My family and I appreciate all you have done thus far, and what you will be doing.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Kimberly. It is great to hear that you are happy with your choice of partnering with us to achieve a brighter financial future. We are excited to work with you towards your brighter financial future! Please reach out to customer service at (800) 655-6303 or support@freedomdebtrelief.com for any additional help you may need.

Original review: May 23, 2022

I’m nearing the end of my time with Freedom Debt Relief and it has changed the way I look at buying and spending. I used to put purchases on a card to get the points or the miles, thinking about all the bonuses I’d be getting, but not thinking about the accumulated interest I’d accrue on the balances. It got to be out of hand especially after my divorce and getting laid off. So I looked for a way out without declaring bankruptcy or asking for loans from relatives. I found Freedom Debt Relief after reading about ways to pay down debt and doing an online search. After I spoke with a counselor about my debt and how Freedom worked.

It would require trusting their negotiations and letting my credit cards go unpaid until a resolution was made. That was scary at first since I never had missed any payments and had excellent credit. It was rough gong for the first 3 or 4 months but soon I had my first settlement. I was notified by text and email and was able to accept it right from my phone. Whew. One down, four to go. I would get a settlement offer every 4-9 months so I knew they were working on negotiating with my creditors. I kept my part of the deal by making payments to my dedicated account (which were much less than what I’d have to pay all of my credit cards each month) and not paying anything towards those cards.

All through the process I was kept informed about what to expect and encouraged to stick with the program and not worry about my credit score since I knew I was responsible for the decline and I knew it would recover as I my debts were cleared. I learned a lot about my spending habits and how I could stay out of debt. It’s made me think carefully before deciding to buy. I’d recommend Freedom Debt Relief to anyone looking for a way out of debt, especially credit card debt. Listen to their methods and decide if you can deal with a moment of credit score drama in exchange for a lifetime of freedom from debt. I know it’s been worthwhile for me.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Ilsa. It is great to hear that you are happy with your choice of partnering with us to achieve a brighter financial future. We are excited for your new debt-free future and we will continue to be a source of support for you in the future. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

A friend referred me to FDR and I called them. They asked if I was okay with 348 per month and I agreed. Within a few months, they had the first credit card settled for 53% less than what I owed. A few months later, they were able to settle with the second credit card company for 50% less. The third card will be paid off in December of this year. Then just a few weeks ago, the fourth card finally went into a settlement for 50% less too. They'll make the first payment at the end of this month and it'll be 31 months. I'm hoping that when the one card gets paid off in December of this year, they can up the payment to the final credit card company. If I had been able to make the payments, it would have taken me 30 years to pay them off. Now, two of the cards are now paid off in full and it hasn't even been three years since I've been with FDR. My credit score was down in the 500s when I started. Now, my credit score is back up in the 700s.

The representatives have been helpful from day one and they always check in with me and let me know what's going on. If I get any statements or anything from the credit card companies, I scan those in or take a photo and email in those. I haven't had to move my payment date, but I'm sure they would be flexible with it. There are some months where I wish I could just be able to skip a payment, but I don't want to do that.

If you find yourself in a situation where you're not able to make monthly payments, noticing it's going more on the interest than the principal and it will take 30 years to pay off that debt, go with FDR and you can be debt-free within five years or less. Make sure you have that money in your checking account to get it transferred to them on the same date every single month and that's the only thing you need to worry about. They take care of the rest.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Congratulations on taking the necessary steps to become debt-free Ellen! Our program works very well because we make sure our clients are well informed and on board before making any decisions! It is great to hear that you are happy with our service efforts! Please let us know how we can continue supporting your journey to financial freedom! Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2021

I had a very pleasant experience with FDR. When I had accumulated so much debt, it was getting hard to manage all the payments and trying to keep up with things, and I was paying out more payments than I was making just about. I had to do something and they helped me manage that. They were really easy to talk to, everything was very easy to understand. ​I even had two litigations that they helped me through and it took all the pressure off me. I didn't have to get any phone calls or be harassed by any of these credit card companies. They just took care of everything. It was awesome.

I utilize the dashboard all the time and it laid my anxieties. Every month you knew where you were at and I had the direct deposit where they took the money directly from my account and I could just check on the dashboard anytime I wanted to because I needed the visual too. I needed to look at my accounts and see what they have done. I could see everything and just being able to see everything and all of that action, I had not had to even take care of myself, compared to other things, it made me feel under control.

They really do what they say they're going to do. They've also got so much information on their website because there's all the Q and A's, I can go back and look through any of the steps. If there's anything that I don't understand, I can call to talk to a person either. Everyone that I have talked to personally on the phone was very knowledgeable, helpful and empathetic. That was what made me feel good about going with them. They also had everything out there so I could ask questions and get the information and it was a little bit too good to be true. Because when they said to not take the phone calls and what to do to get set up, it was a very short process and they literally took that off me. I didn't have to deal with that anymore myself.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Brenda thank you for reviewing your experience! We are very happy to hear that you made good use of your dashboard! We not only want to provide you with the best customer service, but we also want to provide you with the necessary tools achieve and maintain a brighter financial future! Thank you for being a valued client of Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I have to admit at the beginning of starting this program I was not totally satisfied. As time went by and I kept looking at what was going on how the emails and text was sent to me then I start to see things clearly. It is a great experience to be a part of this. The people that I encountered in this program has been greatly appreciated. I realize the program takes a little while and I was a little disappointed about the fact that my credit was affected the way it was. Because of the fact that I was trying to move. But after talking to your representative I began to think differently. Thank you for what you're doing. Keep up the good work.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Gwenevere, we appreciate the opportunity that you gave us to earn your trust. It is great to hear that you are happy with your choice of partnering with us to achieve a brighter financial future.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

This was handled horribly. I was calling daily for 2 weeks trying to get this resolved before a garnishment hit my paycheck. You guys failed me miserably. Now I have to wait for them to send it back to me. Almost $500 was taken. This should have been handled in a much more timely manner. There was ample time to get it done. I just hope the last two cards in negotiation are handled much better and I don’t have to do so much work that I pay you guys to do. This has been the worst experience to date.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello Kim, we are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience. An account specialist will be reaching out to address your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I really needed help. I was robbing Peter to pay Paul. So far I wouldn't change anything and I would do it again if I needed it. Thank you. It's been a year since I been with FDR. The whole process was fairly easy.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi Darlene! We are thrilled to see your program and process go smoothly and effectively. If you have any questions, just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for allowing Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

Have always been very helpful every time I have ever called and when they reach out to me. Have resolved a few of my accounts in a short time. Has made my life easier with this program. Very happy I went with them.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hi JoAnn, it is great to hear that you are happy with your progress! We look forward to your continued success in our program. Please contact us if you have questions!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2022

I have been working with FDR towards resolving my debt and it has been a great experience. I always have a pleasant encounter with customer service. They are always willing to help make this process easier and they are willing to accommodate my needs.

Freedom Debt Relief response

It is rewarding to hear such great feedback about our team, Michelle. We are thrilled to serve you and will be there every step of the way. Keep up the great work and please reach out to us anytime you have questions about your program!

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information