Get Started

2. Finance
  3. Debt Settlement

4.5/5 (3671 ratings)

About Freedom Debt Relief

Freedom Debt Relief is a nationwide debt relief company that provides debt settlement services and education. The company requires applicants to have at least $15,000 of unsecured debt. Its fees vary by location and range from 15% to 25%. Though user credit suffers in the short term, Freedom Debt Relief’s 2020 study found that most customers saw credit score recovery in 24 to 45 months.

Pros

• No fees until settlement is reached
    • Successful track record
    • Works with high debt amounts
    • Long-term credit recovery

Cons

• Fees up to 25% of settlement amount
    • Short-term impact on credit

Bottom Line

Freedom Debt Relief is a good match for those with $15,000 or more in debt. Although its fees can range up to 25% of the settlement amount, it won’t charge these fees until some of your debt is settled.

Top Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I’m so grateful to the staff of Freedom Debt Relief. It’s been a struggle at times, but it also has been a positive crossroad ... This is the best decision I have ever made for my...

Verified

I have had an excellent experience with FDR. They listened, got me where I needed to be, and stuck with me the entire time. It has been a journey worth taking. They are faster tha...

What is Freedom Debt Relief?

Freedom Debt Relief (FDR) specializes in debt resolution, negotiation and settlement services for those grappling with overwhelming debt. In business since 2002, FDR touts a record of saving its customers a combined $10 billion through debt settlements. It’s a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators and part of the American Fair Credit Council.

If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, an unsecured personal loan or outstanding medical bills, FDR will work to help you negotiate a settlement with your creditors for as low as 50 percent of what you owe.

How does Freedom Debt Relief work?

To get started with Freedom Debt Relief, you must have at least $15,000 in unsecured debt unattached to collateral, such as a house or car. If you qualify, you’ll talk with one of FDR’s consultants to find a plan that works for you.

FDR’s program length typically ranges from 24 to 48 months, and you can track your progress through the online dashboard 24/7. The company also offers an online evaluation tool to help you see if you qualify.

FDR will then help you set up a savings account — these are secured by the FDIC, allow you to deposit cash and help with your debt settlement. Your certified debt consultant will then determine when the best time is to attempt to negotiate with your creditors.

If you reach a solution, FDR will ask you to authorize the agreement then charge a fee based on the settlement. It won’t charge until a settlement is reached; however, not all creditors will let you settle.

How much does Freedom Debt Relief cost?

Freedom Debt Relief’s fees typically range from 15% to 25% of the settled debt. When you apply, a certified debt consultant will receive your case and you’ll get an exact percentage and a monthly cost. Fees vary depending on the state you live in.

Legally, FDR can’t charge any upfront fees, so each charge is initiated after the company settles part of your debt. Users need to authorize a settlement before the company initiates any charges, so this fee should never be a surprise.

Freedom Debt Relief FAQ

How does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
    As with all debt relief and settlement programs, working with Freedom Debt Relief will likely negatively affect your credit in the short term. However, a Freedom Debt Relief program can help encourage positive credit habits, which over time could help improve your credit. The company conducted a study and reported that its customers’ credit improved significantly over 24 to 45 months.
    Where is Freedom Debt Relief located?
    Freedom Debt Relief has offices in Phoenix, Arizona, and San Mateo, California, but it serves customers across the country.
    Is Freedom Debt Relief a debt settlement company?
    Yes, Freedom Debt Relief’s program involves negotiating settlements with your creditors.
    How long does Freedom Debt Relief affect your credit?
    According to a study conducted by the company, customers of Freedom Debt Relief saw a significant dip in credit score in the beginning, with median scores of 497 at six months after enrollment, then saw a steady increase, with median scores reaching 604 at 24 months and 648 at 45 months. This study tracked the scores of customers between 2014 and 2018 with a median starting credit score of 650.
    Does Freedom Debt Relief offer loans?
    Freedom Debt Relief does offer debt consolidation loans; however, since debt settlement is its specialty, its certified debt consultants prefer to try debt settlement first.

Is Freedom Debt Relief legit?

Freedom Debt Relief is a reputable company with a proven track record. The company is a member of the American Fair Credit Council and a Platinum member of the International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators. If you have $15,000 or more in unsecured debt, Freedom Debt Relief may be able to help you.

While all debt relief services will likely cause a negative mark on your credit report, Freedom Debt Relief professionals can assist you in negotiating with creditors in a way you may not be able to do yourself. Although its fees may be high — as much as 25% of what you save on your debt — it still may cost you less than paying the debt in full.

Freedom Debt Relief Reviews

Over 10k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Freedom Debt Relief?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

This is my second time using the program because I had a problem. I was looking for debt relief at least 10 years ago, I used Freedom Debt Relief and it worked out well so I decided to do it again. The first time I was nervous. I had a million and one questions. I'm like, "Oh, what am I doing?" But then, "What do I have to lose at this point?" So it's almost, "Okay, do I do this?" I know a family member had said they did a debt program, and it hurt them more than it helped them. But I was, "Well, I want to do that program." Because wherever they went, they weren't making payments to the creditors. They weren't making settlements the way they should.

I just did my research. And then I asked a representative a lot of questions about their program, what made them different, why should I trust them. He had no problem answering any of my questions, very open. And the website has truly upgraded from when I first started years ago. You can check your dashboard at any time you want so you can see the progress. It shows you what's in progress, what has already been settled, about how far you have to go. You can see everything, what’s in negotiation, what's going to come up in the future.

I stopped paying the cards. They deal with the creditors, make settlements. And then they base it off what you can afford each month. They give you an estimate and tell you, "Okay, we need you to spend this much a month in your account." If you're consistent with having your money in there, so the money is available, so when they make these settlements, you make them knowing the money is there to make the payment.

I set mine up as I get paid biweekly, so it's for auto debit biweekly. If you add up all of your minimum payments that you pay on these cards, your overall payment in this program is less than what you pay on these minimum payments. So in a sense, you're saving money, because you stop paying your cards, you're not making all these small minimum payments putting zero debts -- unless you pay over minimum, you are not putting a dent in your credit card debt.

Their actual fees are on the back end. They don't take anything from you until they made their settlements. So, the money you put in there every biweekly, monthly, however you want to make your payment goes towards your debt. At the end of the program, you're still doing your payments, but at this point, they have let's say $100 going towards your credit cards, your payment is 110, $10 is going to them. They factor in such a small amount for their fee that you really don't see them.

If you wanted a program for four years, they take your debt, and they average it out, "Okay, we can probably settle it for 40%, 50%," less than what you pay, and they based their calculation from that. And if you want to do it four years, over two years, depends on how long you want your debt enroll the program is how they calculate your payment based off of how long you want the debt. You can be more aggressive and do a two-year program and it seems to be higher.

This is my second time in the four-year program and it works for me because my payments are less than minimum payments. I'm saving money. And then when I have extra money, I go ahead and put it in there so they can make faster settlements. I've done that with two credit cards so far. They were able to settle them faster by increasing the payment amount to get them knocked out. I feel they do care about their clients. It's not a get rich quick thing like, "Oh, I'm just going to take my money from this client." No, it's like, "We're really going to try to get you that settlement."

They do actively and aggressively attack your credit card payments. My experience has been good. They will let you know. Several ways, "Okay, we've got a settlement," they will text you, email you, or call you. And even when you complete the program, you get your full packet. You will get your graduation letter. They have removed charge-off because they make sure they get letters from the creditors saying, "Settled. This was settled. It’s not a charge-off. This was settled." That changes the terminology on your credit report, which doesn't affect your score like a charge-off. They do what they're supposed to do. As long as you continue your payments, you're good to go.

I've learned this time with my credit card debt, it's something I don't want to do again. But they gave me that opportunity to clear it and build my credit back and use it responsibly. It's a burden relief off of you. So it's, "God, I'm not stressed out about -- yeah, I'm making these minimum payments, but I'm really not doing anything.” I've got a massive student loan debt so it's the fact that I was able to go ahead, let them handle this and clear this up, allowed me to focus on that.

I have a family of five. We got three kids and my husband. It's just like the credit card, it's easy to spiral out of control. I'm glad this opportunity was there to get rid of it and then learn from it, and move on without this huge stress. I'm not wasting my money every month. Also, I don't have to deal with the headache of going back and forth with the creditors. That's a headache because they don't want to settle with you or you do the payment right now. It's like, "I can't pay you $2,000 right now up front." So, working through Freedom, they are able to make these settlements and on payment plans, and close the settlements and be done with it.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Wow, Adria! We cannot thank you enough for your amazing feedback regarding your experience in our program! We take pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we're always here for you. We cannot wait for you to officially become debt-free and we look forward to assisting you further. If you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Get buying tips about Debt Settlement delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I was thirty-plus thousand dollars in debt. I had a business and unfortunately, an event occurred and it caused me to go for a downward plunge. By the time I got finished with what all of these credit card companies charged me, I was way well over my head. I was starting a new life and a new job. I didn't wanna claim bankruptcy because I wanted to do it the right way, regardless if it’s wrong, right, indifferent. I started searching for different programs on the internet and I came across Freedom Debt Relief. Once I researched it, I called them and asked them what they could do for me. They answered the questions that I had such as what are the legalities and can they protect me from anyone suing me. I had already lost everything but I wanted to start over fresh. I didn't want my checks garnished.

They kinda gave me an overview of what they could do and how they work. At that point, I was submitting to any kind of alternative option to get my debt taken care of. I gave them the ball and I had to trust them blind faithfully. I've heard other people in my family saying, "I don't know if that's such a great thing. Maybe you should rethink it." But I couldn't. There were too many accounts and I couldn't manage that all on my own. I needed professional help to help me do it if I wasn't gonna bankrupt.

Freedom Debt Relief has been awesome with me and they've helped me get through it. We've gone a long way in a short period of time. They've been a great benefit to me. My credit scores have increased. I don't have anybody antagonizing me to take anything away from me. The legal aspect of it stopped. If I call them, they're very open to answering any of my questions and in a way that I can understand. I appreciate them very much.

There was a small discrepancy from what they told me though. On the program itself, it states that they can get anywhere between 50% and 75% off of whatever it is that you owe. They gave me a projection, how to make that happen and when I would have a graduation date. As we go along the program, I started to realize that the first few of them were nicely done. I had saved over 50%. Then it started to dwindle down to 45% savings. They said we were gonna have to extend my graduation date. It's not gonna be four years, it's gonna be four and a half years. Those types of things get people to where they're standoffish. You start to not wanna trust them. With the way things are working in life right now, anything is fearful. We get fearful for any little discrepancy. They could let the consumer know if we were to go ahead and give another $10 or $15, we could make it in the same amount of time.

What they do after everything's said and done is to take away the extra fees that they put on there which is the interest and the late fees. So, in reality, I'm paying that principal amount which is okay. But it goes to my credit report and it states that I've only paid a portion of it when I have paid the whole principal. Once you pay, they just incorporate that all in that 50% off. I end up paying the whole thing anyways.

Another thing is if they find that that you have another account with Freedom Debt Relief and you agree to add it, that's gonna increase your deposit by so much. You're gonna have to go ahead and extend the amount of time you'll be with the program. If I have to pay for the program, that means that on top of that account being added and me being passed on months or years as we go along, I also have to pay the 9.99 and the 19.99. That's an extra $30 per month times how many months I have to be with the program extended.

But in the end, thank God that I was able to come this far in such a short time and they were able to tackle this big mess that we put us in. It was over 30 accounts and I should be appreciative. I have so much respect for them and I appreciate everything they've done. I would totally suggest them to anyone that goes through the same. I hope nobody goes through what I went through but I'm sure that there are people, especially with this coronavirus, that will walk through the same path I did in a short time, and I will represent Freedom Debt Relief with a good review.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Excellent feedback, Rebecca! It's disheartening to learn what eventually led you to our program. However, we are thrilled to be a part of your journey to financial freedom. It's always great to hear clients share how pleased they are with our service efforts. Our top goal is to make sure we support our clients at every step. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief as your guide to financial freedom!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

My concerns all boil down to a person not realizing what high-interest credit cards will do to you. It isn’t like you pay back $1 for $1 you're charged. You end up paying back a whole lot more than that $1. It's just like the government has given them a green light to charge over what they want to on fees, and interest rates. And before you know it, you’re in too deep, you can't get out. You have to have help.

I'm old now. I'm in my 60s, but I've had credit cards all my life and always had a perfect record. I never not paid back any debt. It was always perfect. And then, all of a sudden, one day, it was okay for them to charge 16%, 17%, 18%, 23% interest. And when that happened, all of a sudden, people couldn't ever dig their way out of a hole. The credit card company profits on their sale if you're gonna charge somebody 30% interest. I get offers in the mail right now for credit cards with 33% interest. You ever hear the beat of that? 33%. That's the goofiest thing I ever heard. And credit card companies have brought this on themselves. I'm just thankful to have heard of a company like Freedom Debt Relief that you can turn to to get some help. Everybody's not capable of climbing out of a hole when you're paying 25% 26% interest. You can never find your way out.

Ken gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him anytime I have any concerns. That was pretty neat. Not everybody’s gonna give you a personal number that you can call them and it's direct to them. That was pretty impressive. They've got it pretty well down pat. They negotiate on your behalf, and they take care of everything. All you do is just pay your fee and they do the rest of it. It's a wonderful service and a very needful thing in this day and time. If credit cards wanna pay that kind of interest, let them deal with somebody that's gonna negotiate with them. Because when you get your customer in a hole where they can't dig out, be ready to deal with somebody like Freedom Debt Relief because debt is something that credit card companies thrive on.

The credit cards have got a bit too sweet a deal for them because they can charge whatever interest rate they want to. And it’s like feeding a baby candy for every meal. Sooner or later, you're gonna have problems. And it's your fault for feeding them that many calories. This interest rate that they charge is destroying people. It finally got to me and I never reneged on a debt in my lifetime, or lose anything until rates got so high I couldn’t afford them. And all of a sudden, you can't use your credit card like you used to because they will bury you in debt.

I'm already at least two years into the program. I'm satisfied. Freedom does a good job. They let you know, just as soon as they got to the point to where they can negotiate and make the payment, and pay one of them and get rid of it, and move on to the next one. Also, they always send alerts and highlights, and let you know what they're doing and where they're at. And they keep communication open with you. Another good thing is whenever you call them, it doesn't matter who answers the phone. It doesn't have to be Ken. They would look at your file and they would all get it figured out like they have all been taught how the program works, and they're extremely knowledgeable. It doesn't matter who you talk to. They know what you're talking about. And they can tell you every move to make. They're top-notch now. I recommend them highly. If you get buried in debt, they're about the only hope you're gonna get.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for sharing with us, John. We understand exactly how you feel concerning the interest charged by your creditors. It can become too much for our average client, which is why we created this affordable solution. Each month as you fulfill your program commitment, you get one step closer to being debt-free! We are excited to assist you throughout this journey! Please reach out to our client services department at (800) 655-6303 or support@freedomdebtrelief.com if you ever need assistance. They can be reached at 1(800)-655-6303. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

We purchased our house and there was a lot more that needed to be fixed there than what we realized. We used a credit card and then after the year, we still didn't pay it off, so we ended up having to get another one. Interest rates were getting too bad. One thing led to another and we ended up having a few credit cards that the interest rates were just killing us where we almost got to the point where we couldn’t make minimum payment. We decided to get ahead of ourselves and join Freedom Debt Relief, after months of searching different places, that way we could get our debt paid off before we got ourselves into trouble or to the point where we couldn’t afford to pay. They have one of the highest star ratings along with what other people have stated. We've also known other people that have looked into them as well.

We chose the six years program but we end up paying on a little bit extra just so that we could get everything paid off sooner. From day one, any questions, no matter how small, they would answer. What I loved about them is that they never made me feel stupid. One of the questions I had was about if we wanted to add extra payment and how we’d do that. They calmly explained and they didn't use too much of big words. We understood what they were saying. The lady that we worked with was amazing. No matter what time, we could call. One time it was 9 o'clock at night and they answered right away and were very helpful.

We have two different debit card accounts. Freedom only allows one at a time, which makes us feel better because of all the fraudulent things that are going on in the US. They talked with step by step, let us know that they're gonna start with a smaller credit first and then work their way up to the biggest ones. They explained that after we get a certain amount accrued then they go after certain creditors. They let us know which step they're in step by step. They let us know when their targeted date is for that specific credit and they don't do anything without consulting us. So, if we don't agree on a settlement, then they'll go back and try to rebut. They've saved us so much money on all of the credit cards, ‘cause a lot of it was just interest.

I didn't expect the company to be that good. It was definitely the right decision. We have two credit cards completely paid off on and then we did a consolidation loan with their sister company to get the other two knocked out. Freedom has been with us literally every step of the way. I am glad we did it. We've been really satisfied and we finally have a breathing room. This year, we don't have to worry about which bill to pay during the winter, because we're paying over $800 in just credit card debt ‘cause most of its interest. It’s worth it.

Freedom Debt Relief response

We cannot thank you enough, Ms. Kimberly, for sharing your amazing feedback. Many of our clients find themselves insurmountable amounts of debt before they have the chance to realize it. Kudos to the two of you for researching your options and selecting the one that works best for your financial needs. We are honored to hear how pleased you are with our service efforts and welcome any questions you have along the way. Be sure to log into your Client Dashboard at www.fdrclient.com to monitor the progress you're making. Thank you both for choosing Freedom Debt Relief as your guide to financial freedom.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

A lot of credit card debt had just consumed me because when you have a child who's had cancer, you'll do anything to make the co-pays. I downsized everything in my life but it's still I was just paying too much interest. I went online and I researched how different debt consolidation groups were rated and Freedom Debt Relief has such a good rating and such happy customers that I did research and found them and called them.

With the exception of one phone call, which that person obviously was quite new ‘cause they gave me bad information that even I knew was off, I've been with FDR for over three years now. We're paying off two of my debts and everything has been agreed and two have been paid off. I turned over four cards to them and they get the highest praise I can give any company because regardless of who I talked to, I got consistent answers within the organization. This is a company I would work for because of its internal consistency. Their first rep I talked with was also very knowledgeable, very encouraging and very helpful. Regarding payments, they told me what it would be a month and we set it on two payment dates and then when I started seeing how I was being paid in retirement, I had to move it to the first of the month and consolidate it all and just make it one payment.

My only problem that I've had at all was that the first card which was Discover that they settled out in 2017, and Discover did not send the 1099-G form to me. They sent it to FDR. Nobody there could find it. So two years later, under an audit, they started contacting me last June, I am still fighting with the IRS because I've sent them everything but the IRS then failed to tell me. They said, “You've got everything in that you need.” Then they said, “You don't have this form.” I've been going round and round with them for 15 months.

I also did not add my fourth account until later when they jacked up the interest on me for it. My payment, before I added that account, was 600 and change. Then when I added that fourth card not quite a year ago, it had $6,000 on it and it was with US Bank and it's a Visa, my payment went to 853. We've got structured settlements all set up. My graduation date would have been September but after I added this other card, it’s now gonna be November but I'm paying so much less on that. It doesn't seem right that I would pay the full 853 for October and November of 2021. That should drop after September by quite a bit because the big debt will have been completely paid off. So I need somebody to check into that for me. I would almost be paying off the whole thing in those two months with what I'm paying and it just didn't seem quite right.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you for giving us an honest review of how our program has gone for you, Leslie! We know everything concerning the program may not be perfect, and we are constantly working on our flaws. However, thank you for sticking by us and trusting us to guide you to your graduation path of financial freedom. It's our pleasure! If you would like to discuss the details of your account more in-depth just give us a call at 800-655-6303. Our Customer Service Representatives are ready to help. Thank you for letting Freedom Debt Relief be your partner on your journey to a debt-free future.

Original review: July 28, 2021

I thought a bill was in the program, but I somehow overlooked it. The agent verified that and helped me with the submission to get it added for consideration. She was very polite and professional. I always get great assistance when I call.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello, Saundra! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! Our team takes pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we'll always be right by your side. We look forward to your brighter financial future and if you have any questions, please call us at 800-655-6303. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: July 27, 2021

They have been very helpful, and very informative regarding upcoming debts. I am very happy with their negotiations so far. The convenience of changing my deposits if I want. Would recommend my friends and family in a heartbeat. Very happy so far.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Diane, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review! Our team takes pride in providing world-class customer service to our clients and we'll always be right by your side. Please call us at 800-655-6303 if you have any questions. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: July 27, 2021

The professional was helpful and supportive, and did a great follow up to be sure I was on the right track. I felt as if they were strongly on my side, and it was never less than comfortable for me. Great work!

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you, Michael, for taking the time to leave us a review! We're elated to be able to assist you along your debt-free journey and we'll always have your back. Please call us at 800-655-6303 if you have any questions. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: July 27, 2021

I will recommend friends and Relatives to call FDR as soon as they can. Henry ** thanks a lot for everything. Now as a customer I’ll be the happiest man in the world when I resolve my debt and graduate. Thanks again Henry.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Hello, Henry! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We're elated to hear about your experience throughout the process and we'll always be right by your side. Please call us at 800-655-6303 if you need any assistance. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Original review: July 26, 2021

They were very patient and helped us get on the recovery of our Debts. They were always there to help answer questions and were very easy to work with. We appreciate how helpful they are and answered our many questions. They gave us a very comfort for all our problems.

Freedom Debt Relief response

Thank you, Kay, for taking the time to leave us a review! Our team takes pride in making sure our clients are supported throughout the process and we'll always be right by your side. Please log onto your Client Dashboard at www.fdrclient.com for account updates. Thank you for choosing Freedom Debt Relief!

Freedom Debt Relief Company Information