2. Homeowners

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs
Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.37/5
$1500 off a tub and free shower package with purchase! *

At Safe Step Walk-In Tubs, we take pride in dedicating the safest and comfortable walk-in tubs and showers for our customers. All of our products are fitted with the industry’s most accessible low step-in and are equipped with the best hydrotherapy systems to help relieve pain, enhance mobility and reduce stress.

Every Safe Step product is manufactured in Tennessee, allowing us to continue our legacy of providing lower and more affordable pricing than any of our competitors. We believe in our products so much, we back each walk-in tub and walk-in shower with the most extensive Lifetime Warranty in the industry. With locations across the U.S. and Canada, our team of customer support and technicians are always on call to help you and your family.

We care about providing enjoyable and safe bathing experiences to those in need, that we created an initiative in 2012 to donate walk-in tubs to anyone in need of a safer bathing solution, who could otherwise not afford it on their own.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Video

BOTTOM LINE

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Pricing is not published online, but each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

PROS

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
  • Financing available
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Military, veteran and other discounts

CONS

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
  • No upfront pricing
Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Get Started

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

The guy who came to the house did a good job of pitching Safe Step. The one downside would be the price but the installation experience was good and I like the whirlpool type of effect on the tub.

I love Safe Step. They seemed to be the most reliable and during purchase and measuring, their reps did great. The installers also got things done and cleaned up in one day. After I got used to using the tub, it had me wondering why I hadn’t got it a long time ago...

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
  • Two grab bars
  • Anti-slip flooring
  • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
  • A hand-held shower wand
  • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling/draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their unique safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

Each Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that is part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most unique luxury features include:

• The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.
  • The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft. MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, allowing for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub vs. Standard walk-in tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub allows users to enjoy the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual shower heads and all the safety and all the convenient features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices and installation range from $11,000 to $16,000. Although, each is individually priced and mainly determined by the dimensions plus difficulty of installation. Some of the issues considered are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job, with differences in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs are available in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQs

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?
Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions vary and are tailored to meet the specific needs of each user. The units come in three standard sizes but can be customized for large and small installations. Although you may have the room to accommodate a deep tub, your current water heater may not be able to fill it sufficiently. The most common size is 52 inches long and 30 inches high. It would replace a traditional bathtub/shower, which is 60 inches long.
What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?
Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. It includes any manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters and blowers, and parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.
What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?

Your overall cost includes professional installation and has a 100 percent guarantee. A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. Installers are screened, certified and fully insured.

All Safe Step walk-in tubs are designed to fit existing spaces without a full remodel or any further expense. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Pricing is case-by-case, so you won’t know if the tub is a good fit for you or your home until you go through the free consultation. However, all installation costs are in your free quote. Safe Step walk-in tub reviews indicate that customers enjoy the amenities of the tub, but pricing can run high for premium models.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: May 22, 2020

The installation was done very well. The crew was good and very cooperative. They got the work done in a hurry. Everything was neat. They did a good job but there are some things I had or questions happened, and I want to get somebody over here to go over the tub operation again. The engineering of the situation could be improved and I wanted somebody talking to me about that. And I wanted to get more information about the operation. I didn't realize that that drain comes on so late. That wasn't explained to me.

When I called the service, the woman was a hell of a woman. I tried to tell her what was going on and she tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and why was I calling. I was calling for information. So, I said I wanted to talk to somebody and then she said she would get me one. Then she put me on that recording where you have all that music in the background. I waited and waited until I just hung up. I was not very happy about that. It's not good for Safe Step to have somebody who acts like she did, when somebody tries to call about some problems.

I've used the tub about three times now. I love soaking and everything. I've got leg problems and that was great. The tub helps me out with that. The delivery of water, for one thing, is slow in some cases. The two shower things aren't working right. I finally got it to work, so I get the lower shower to work. And I like the design changed a bit. I didn't know of that hot water but I got that working right. So, I got a lot of it going. Everything's going pretty well. And the other thing was after I took a bath, it was 45 minutes later, all of a sudden, that water clear out that the tub has goes on. I thought something was wrong with the motor or something like that.

That's when I called the rep. I was just trying to find out something about it. But nobody told me it was going to take 45 minutes before the pump comes on to get rid of the water. I started to realize that after I did it a second time. Somebody else who has a tub said something to me about it. It just seems strange to wait 45 minutes to get any water left in the system out of there. You think it would happen within maybe 5 or 10 minutes of the tub completely being drained. So what I wanted was to get somebody back here who I could talk to about some improvement on the design, with the shower curtain and so forth, and the lips of the tub. There's a problem with it because of the way the plumbing goes. But still, there could be things that could be done in the design. I'm an industrial mechanical engineer, and that's what I was trying to tell that woman. I know a lot about engineering and design.

For example, the two-shower system that Safe Step has. I like the handheld shower. I use it all the time. But this other shower is much too high. That's one of the things I did not like. The way the plumbing was designed coming into it, you have a splash thing against the wall and against the back of the tub, but not in the front. So, you take the shower, you can't get the curtain around the shower, so that shower can just splash out and roll right onto the floor of the bathroom. That's the design problem of whoever the engineers were. That's why I want to talk to somebody I can point these things out, that can improve their product.

I like to get the crew that helped put the tub in for me first because the guy and I understood each other. And I can talk to him a little about it because he installs these things all the time. I like to get his views on what my thoughts are. I made myself clear about what I would like to do, what I would like to get. Because the tub is great. There are some things that they just didn't think about. I wanna help myself and I wanna help Safe Step because the tub is a great idea.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I've been wanting a walk-in tub for 15 years, or longer. I was wanting to buy one many years ago but at the time, we decided it wasn't in our budget to do that. So I have done some homework for a while on them. I had looked at the Jacuzzi brand earlier but it seemed like every week, I would get something in the mail or see something in a flyer somewhere about Safe Step. It seemed like Safe Step was flashing in front of my face every time I turned around. It seemed like it was an omen that I had to call and check it out so I did and then I liked their warranty program. I just hope it all stands up to what they say if I have any issues.

The sales rep was great. He answered all of my questions but I didn't really have very many questions either because he answered them before I asked them. I've gotten a new tape measure out of it too because he went off and left the tape measure. I called him before I thought he was too far but he told me to just keep it. He said it was a bad habit he has and that he buys them by the dozen because he does it all the time. The installation team did good as well. We've had a couple of issues but that wasn't their problem. It was my plumbing issue. They came to put the tub in one day and they had to come back the next week. My house is 40 years old and before they put the tub in, they wanted a plumber to come in and look at the drain, which I appreciated. They wanted to make sure it was draining well and it was easier to do it when it was all open than after the tub was put in. So we got put back about a week.

They also didn't get to complete the job 100% but it's not their fault. They happened to be the first step of remodeling this bathroom. I was aiming to have the bathroom more torn out before they got here. But the guy that's been doing all my work has not been able to be here for almost two months because of other issues with all this virus stuff going around. The guys had to do more tearing out than they were hoping they would have to do. So they did good.

They also couldn't put the handrail on the wall or the baseboard that goes across the front. They said that they weren't gonna put that in because a new floor was coming in and they didn't wanna put some of those finishing touches until all the new tile work got done because it was just gonna have to come off. So they didn't do some of the caulking work. So they left all the stuff here and showed me the instructions. I guess they would leave those normally so the guy that comes could finish it out for me.

I haven't been able to use the shower part of it but we have used the little handheld a little bit and I always wonder if the microject is working right. It's where it's supposed to put the air to help clean your skin where you supposedly don't have to use soap. On the little video they left that shows a girl doing exercise in the tub and in the way the guy talked to me, you could always see a cloud forming when that would come in. So if you do that very first thing, I can see the cloud coming in. But if you do the water jet first and then do the microjet last, I don't see any cloud.

I was under the impression that there wasn't an order, that you could do them however you wanna do them. If you wanna do the micro thing first, middle or last, it would always work. But is there a sequence that you should do those things? There is also a little knob inside the tub that adjusts the pressure against the jets but I don't know if that works for sure because when I turn it, I don't see no difference. But overall, I enjoy the tub.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We had an interest in a Safe Step Walk-in Tub for a long time because we moved from the north in Virginia, down here in 1996, and we had a house built. It was the only house we’ve ever had built which was one of the mistakes that we made. That tub that we had there was too small for me. Neither one of us felt comfortable getting in and out of it at all. I was in it one time and my wife was never in it in 23 years. So, it was waste of space, and the shower that’s in that bathroom is fine for my wife, but it’s a little small for me. I didn’t feel claustrophobic, but I thought to myself, “Just one of these days, I’m gonna fall down in this shower, and I’m not gonna be able to move to get up.”

The way our house is laid out, the other bathroom has a much larger shower in it. It’s just a shower, but it’s as long or as big as a tub. But because of the way our house is laid out, it never gets used. So, the only time it gets used is when we have guests. That’s our fault. We had looked into a walk-in tub a number of years ago and we just decided it was too expensive for us. But then, the more we lived in a house that had a corner with a regular tub in it with a few jets that never got used in 20 years, we decided we needed to do something with it.

The thing that I liked most about the Safe Step sales representative was he lives real close to us and we were able to go over to his house and take a look at his tub. We got a good first-hand view of the operation there. Plus, he was very knowledgeable. He’s a little older fellow. Not quite as old as I am, but older anyway, which is something he just picked up after doing something else for a number of years, and he was real good at what he did. Also, the installers did a nice job. There is one little place in the wall right next to the tub that they chipped out but it’s no big deal. Even somebody with the limited ability that I have with my hands could fix that.

I like that I don’t have to worry about falling down getting in and out. That’s the big thing. The back jets are what I like best about it. My wife and I both have lower back problems. It has more jets in it than the tub that we had, and I like the shower that’s in it. The one we looked at before was just a walk-in tub. It didn’t have a shower. The tub has solved the problem for us in terms of safety, both from the size standpoint and from the be-able-to-walk-in-and-out standpoint. It’s going to be very beneficial to us in terms of being able to use the whirlpool features in it.

I had a question whether or not we were going to replace or get a larger hot water heater. After filling the tub up a couple times, it’s plenty warm enough, but if we needed hot water again immediately, it wouldn’t be there. The tub probably has more capacity than what our hot water heater is. So, we need to replace our hot water heater probably when this one wears out. When we have to replace it anyway, we’ll just get a larger one. I’m trying to find out and I didn’t find out from the fellow that sold us the tub. We live in a subdivision. There are about 400 houses in here, and I was just curious to know and I didn’t find out if there were any others in the neighborhood because eventually, when we sell this house one of these days, that’s going to be a big benefit to us. But other than that, we are pleased with the tub. It’s an expensive item, but it’s going to be to our advantage. I’m gonna tie my wife up and throw her in there to get her to use it one time.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I had always wanted to know how much walk-in tubs cost. I saw Safe Step advertised and I thought the time had come. I couldn't get in my bathtub. I scheduled somebody to come out and the salesman was terrific. The guys who put the thing in were great too. I never saw anything like it. When they came and checked everything, they said it would be a mess to bring everything in my house because of the way my house was. It was hard getting everything in the back door, making a turn and making a thing to the hallway.

Also, about 20 years ago, we put in this beautiful one-piece tub-shower thing. There was a window that they closed off with siding and junk and they put the one-piece tub shower thing. It was gorgeous. When the Safe Step installers came in to work, I thought it was gonna be a nightmare. But what they did was that they took the siding and the insulation off, made a great big hole where the bathroom was and broke up the beautiful one-piece thing that I had. They took that out through the house and they had stuff on the floor so that they wouldn't make a mess. Then I don't know how they did it, but they redid the setup. They rebuilt the wall. After they took the actual tub, they had a guy outside putting all the stuff together and then they lifted it and put it in the room.

They got here around 7:30 and they were gone by 4:00 in the afternoon. They didn't even take lunch. The four guys worked like clockwork. There were no arguments. Everybody had his job. I sat in the living room and did nothing, and when they left, the bathroom was gorgeous. You wouldn't know anybody did anything. It was really unbelievable. What a fantastic experience. I really was expecting a stress-filled day but it wasn't at all. When my daughter came home, I told her to look outside and see if she would notice anything. She said it looked exactly the same. She asked if the installers had not come. She thought she was gonna come in to see a mess as well and she couldn't believe it. It was like they were never there. Not only that, they were really nice guys too.

For somebody who loves baths, the Safe Step tub is really great. My problem is is that I don't like baths. I never did. By the time I wanna get up there, I'm bored already. I have to sit there and wait for the tub to fill up and then do the jacuzzi. So what I usually do is I get in the shower and I let the water run until it covers up to my calves then I use the hand shower or I use the shower-shower. But the tub really is a stress reliever and it's just very convenient. At least I can be clean now. There's also a little light in that tub and it's really nice. It warms up the seat. If you like to sit in a tub and the jacuzzi, it's really out of this world. I'm really satisfied.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I've heard about Safe Step throughout the years. A couple of years ago, I had a friend who came by and we took a look at it, but I didn’t have the money then. Then about a couple of years ago, somebody came here and I gave them some money to install it. But I had an emergency and I had to back off. And then I was watching Safe Step on TV until one day I told my wife, “Look. I need to call these people and have them come to check it out." When I made the purchase, the man and wife team showed me a few people that did it, and I was looking at it and I said, “Wow, look at his legs.” And then the woman said, “Well, in about 90 days, this is what happens.” She showed me three different people. I told her she didn't have to sell me that. I was sold a long time ago.

I had a lot of problems with my legs. I have type 2 diabetes, but I got nerve damage in my leg, neuropathy, plus, high blood pressure, and I might have to go on dialysis. I beat it for two years. I kinda knew everything about it, but when the woman showed the 90 days difference of what people were having problems with their leg circulation and all that, I told my wife this is what I need. She said, “No, you can go to a whirlpool and do all that.” I said, “No, this is what I need.” Because that way, I can do it at home in privacy.

I also told my wife it might help her too. She had a lot of problems with her veins. I told my wife, it’s gonna help her back, it will massage her back, it will clean her up. But I was just beginning and then later I said, “You know what I like about this tub? It cleans your butt.” She started laughing. But really, it will massage your legs and back, and take out all the pain you got.

The guy came in to put it in a day early. When he said, “Do you mind if I --” I said, “No, man, go ahead. I appreciate it. You just do what you gotta do.” And the gentleman and his wife did a fantastic job. They were very professional, courteous, kind, knowledgeable, and the guy made sure I knew everything before he left. His wife talked to my wife. She showed her everything, because I don’t pay attention to a lot of stuff. I just pay bills and that’s what I worry about.

I've used the tub twice. I didn’t have problems with my septic tank, but there was something there that wasn’t right. So, I called a friend of mine to come by to check it out. He told me what the problem was and he said it was minor. “From now on, you just don’t put like baby wipes, when you clean the baby stuff, don’t throw it in there.” So, it worked out perfect.

We were worried about maybe we had too much water. I told my wife I don’t see why. We had a big tub here and the man took it out. The only thing about the tub, it doesn’t have jets in it. Plus, I can get in it but I couldn’t get out. Too low for me. I had to put a bar across my tub to pull and I couldn’t do that because of my legs and arms. So, I told my wife, “No, this is better. I can walk in, sit down.” I’ve tried it. I ran it to my knees, and the first day we went in, I said, “See there, look. All of these coming out of your legs, it’s skin.” The second time I did it, it wasn’t too bad. You could see it was a little bit clearer. I said, “It’s working. It’s just gonna take time.” So, I was very satisfied. I told my wife, “Look. If it doesn’t help, it doesn’t help. Just do it like taking a bath in the tub. It’s just a little bit different. But the thing about it is you might not see everything then, but in the process, you gotta give it time.”

And I said, “Don’t worry about it. I’m not.” She said, “Well, It’s too big.” “Are you paying for it?” She said, “No.” “Then don’t worry about it.” Because that’s the only way I can get along with my wife. My son said, “Mom, why are you worrying? Dad pays for everything, and she makes sure that you don’t have to worry with all that stress.”

I called the finance company and I said I wanna make three payments. So, they sent me a letter stating that all three payments were paid, next payment is due in March. I'm all ready for March. I’ve prepared for it. I'm very pleased with the people that installed the tub and I'm very pleased with the people that I’ve talked to in finance.

Original review: June 15, 2020

The sales reps of Safe Step were very nice. I like the tub, but I called once and told them I couldn't control the temperature enough. It gets too hot for me. They came the first time the next day. That was great. But it still gets too hot for me. I need to still have somebody come and fix it. But it's very good.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I worked with two Safe Step reps - one for my shower and one for my tub. Both reps were excellent. The tub I got has a rain head and it has a handheld as well. The fill turns one direction. I turn what I want on and leave what I want off. I was pleased with the job Safe Step did from beginning to end.

Original review: June 13, 2020

Safe Step was the first company I contacted. Their sales rep was very knowledgeable about what we were gonna do and how it would help us and everything. I liked working with him. We’ve got everything but the shower. My wife said that the installers were very good. They installed it efficiently and they cleaned up after themselves. I was very satisfied with the work they did.

We only have a 30-gallon tank and my wife likes her water really hot. So the first time she got in the tub, it didn't really get hot enough for her to enjoy it. We’ve been trying to get an inline tankless heater put in. I had to order it and it took two weeks to come in. Then they came over to the house Wednesday to install it and somehow the manufacturer had put the wrong unit in the box. It was supposed to be an inside unit and they packed an outside unit. So we’re still on hold to get enough water. But I have gone in and filled it up so I can use the jets down at the bottom for my legs and that’s awesome. Safe Step Walk-in Tub works. The price was good and they worked with us on financing. The only thing that slowed up the installation was because we had to wait two weeks for the door. But overall, they’re a great company. I would highly recommend Safe Step to anybody.

Original review: June 12, 2020

My wife has spinal stenosis, and she hasn’t been able to get into the bathtub for two years. So, we decided to have the Safe Step salesman come and see what it was and it was down on my wife's alley. The two nice gentlemen who did the installation and the electricians were excellent. The installation couldn’t be better. The walk-in tub is like a toy and it also relaxes you. But my wife can only do half of it because it relaxes her too much. Also, I have arthritis and it really helps me. We were satisfied with everything that went on. The salesman and I tied in and we really connected and I couldn’t ask for a better experience.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I have difficulty getting in the tub and my family was concerned. If I need to go in and take a shower, they were afraid to let me do it alone. With the Safe Step walk-in tub here, I can go in and sit down and take my shower. The sales rep I dealt with was very good. He was very thorough and he made sure our questions were answered. The installation went fine on my house. Everything went fine. I like that I don't have to worry about trying to take my leg up and fall. I also like being able to walk in and sit down, turn the water on, put the jets on, and lay back and enjoy it. When I get in there and do that, I feel 90% better when I get out. It is good for the family.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information