Call toll free
(800) 692-1935
4.36/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Safe Step Walk-In Tubs, we take pride in dedicating the most safe and comfortable walk-in tubs and showers for our customers. All of our products are fitted with the industry’s most accessible low step-in, and are equipped with the best hydrotherapy systems to help relieve pain, enhance mobility and reduce stress.

Every Safe Step product is manufactured in Tennessee, allowing us to continue our legacy of providing lower and more affordable pricing than any of our competitors. We believe in our products so much, we back each walk-in tub and walk-in shower with the most extensive Lifetime Warranty in the industry. With locations across the U.S. and Canada, our team of customer support and technicians are always on call to help you and your family.

We care about providing enjoyable and safe bathing experiences to those in need, that we created an initiative in 2012 to donate walk-in tubs to anyone in need of a safer bathing solution, who could otherwise not afford on their own.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1394 Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 10, 2019

I had fallen several times and the doctor said I better do something or I'm gonna fall and break a hip. My foot drops when getting in and out of the tub. I called American Standard but they weren't very nice on the phone. It just turned me away. Then, I called Safe Step and we set up an appointment. The rep was very nice and not overburdening. He had been an installer for Safe Step so he knew the process. He answered a lot of questions that we had and he was very knowledgeable. He was here for three hours but it wasn't boring at any point. The time went fast. He had a movie to show and he talked like a normal person, not like a salesman. Before he left, we bought the walk-in tub. Then the installer came and our experience with them went surprisingly well. It took him two days as he had to tear out some drywall and the doorframe and when he was done, he had fixed everything that I couldn't tell it.

The only thing I was unhappy about was I had to get another contractor to do a small item. It was only $80 on my part so not a big deal. When the tub was installed and I was looking at it between the floor and the tub, there was an inch gap to the far left and an inch and a half on the right. My cat kept trying to stick her paw under there. Also, I wash my hair without getting in the tub. I used to kneel down on the tub to wash my hair instead of using the sink. My toes would go under it and I didn't like it. So I had my bathroom redone last year and a fellow made a frame for me and put it around my mirror. I called a contractor and he said, "Yeah, give me a couple weeks. I'll work it in." He had the frame all painted white and it's perfect. It looks like it's part of the tub. It goes all the way to the floor and I don't have that gap anymore.

When I use the walk-in tub, I just go in, shut the door and turn it on. Their tub is different than the American Standard because it has the bar that goes up to the top and it has a rain shower on it. The handheld shower slides up and down this bar to put it anywhere I want - from the height of the tub to over 7 feet tall. So I can sit down in the seat, slide that handheld down, wash my hair and take my shower.

Knowing that the risk of falling has gone away totally, it's nice. It was a lot of money though but it had been so good to use. Also, my wife is a lot younger than me so she doesn't need a sit-down situation for a shower. But with the rain shower head, the way it's constructed and the features, she absolutely loves the tub. Also, we let the water come completely up and turn on the jets and it's really nice. It helps with the aches and pains such as arthritis in my knee, my ankle and it also helps my back. I don't have to use it as an old people tub. I can use it as a stand-up shower and it's fine.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Safe Step is the only one that’s truly made in the United States. It’s a much heavier product and it had a true shower with it as well as aromatherapy. My wife has COPD so when she gets in the tub and soaks in, we’re able to put in eucalyptus or lemon, which opens up her breathing passages. Also, the tub has its own lights in it, so we don’t have to have the lights on in the bathroom. The lights are part of a science called Chromatherapy. She also has trouble sleeping at night, so I have her bathe in blue light and green because green fights insomnia, as well as lavender. The tub also has Microsoothe jets that other companies don't have. That actually goes into the pores and eliminates toxins and acids that create arthritis and pain. It does a total cleansing system all over the body.

We use it more or less three nights in a row and our skin feels 20 years younger. It’s just incredible. What’s really cool is like in the morning when I take a shower, I keep the drain closed and when the water gets to about 8 in or so, I can still use the part of the tub and flip on the foot jets and the leg jets. My feet, toes, the back of my calfs, and my legs are being massaged as I’m taking a shower. I just rub my feet on the surface of the bottom of the floor because it’s a real no-skid surface. My feet are going numb and the stimulation from the massaging causes the circulation in my feet to increase. It puts oxygen into our body so that is knocking that numbness and tingling at my feet just taking a shower. What I’ve been finding, I never stayed in the shower that long. It feels so good.

They say the doctors tell us that if you soak in a Microsoothe for 5 mins it's equal to a one-hour massage. I soak in the Microsoothe for half-hour a night and I feel like Gumby on coil loops coming out of that thing. Also, my feet are starting to get like girly feet so clearly, I’m gonna get out of there and my toenails look like I had a pedicure from that two-hour. It’s unbelievable. And they do things like having a towel bar right on the door. I don’t even have to reach out for it. It’s right there on the outside the door. The guy that owns the company took a look of thought into that tub. There’s a few things I might change a little but it’s well thought out. Since having the tub, an enormous amount of the energy level has boosted in me tremendously.

From start to finish, their customer service is the most professional group of people I’ve ever dealt with in my life. The installation people, the sales, the company itself – I had some questions – they’re fantastic and right on down the line. The pricing’s better as well and Safe Step also gives a lifetime guarantee on everything so if something happens to me, I ain’t got a worry about somebody coming to fix it. They also make their own stuff so it ain’t like they hire Bob and Bobby Joe from around the corner to put the tub in. The guys who do the work are trained by them.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My husband has some hip issues that get a lot of pain shots in it because it's so painful. I thought that a walk-in tub might help with the therapy on his hip. I went online and I've seen the advertisements in different magazines 'cause I have AARP membership. I looked at American Standard. I looked at a Jacuzzi brand. Then, I looked at the Safe Step and it is recommended by AARP and Arthritis Society so I decided to go with that one and they were offering a senior discount.

The sales representative explained and was patient with my husband and me. She was here almost two and a half hours showing us everything in the brochure and doing the paperwork. She was wonderful and I thought she did a good job representing the tub. The guys that came out to do the install were very professional and they put a mask on the floor to keep the dirt down. Needless to say, they had to cut my existing tub and shower enclosure in pieces to get it out of that small area to the opening. I had a lot of sawdust-like white crap everywhere after they left. It's all through the house.

But they cleaned up the floor itself, swept it and put a decent thing. However, that stuff went through all the air conditioning because the AC was blowing. I knew that I've had some cleanup because there was no way they could catch all that and go all through the house and dust the furniture. They were very careful with everything 'cause we had wood. My husband had custom made this bathroom and put a wood ceiling in it where the tub enclosure was and down the wall. The installers made sure that none of that got damaged and they put the tub in and everything was great there. It's just after they left, I realized that the door wasn't straight because it doesn't shut enough and that should have some privacy at least.

I'm not happy with the way they left my wall that they put a socket in. They cut the hole too big and the plate doesn't fit. I'm also not happy where they left my door casing. They had to take that down in the door to get the tub into the bathroom. It's such a small area. When they put it back in, they didn't put it in straight and it's locked at the top sticking out. The guy is supposed to come back with a plate to cover the mess, but he hasn't so I called the main office and they're supposed to be sending somebody out the next day.

I'm also not happy with the seat not being fully heated and the back heated. The second thing in the brochure says that the back and seat of the tub are heated. Only half of the seat heats and the man told us that's all it's supposed to do. My husband got upset and said that he wanted both cheeks warm, not just one cheek. They're gonna look into that when they come tomorrow as well. These are little minor issues and I don't like it because I figured I paid a lot of money for this thing. Other than that, the tub works good as far as the therapy part. The massage and that kind of stuff is great. The jets for the seat doing all that was is wonderful. I didn't go with the cheap one, as I could have got one from Home Depot. But the tub is excellent and wonderful.

Original review: May 1, 2019

We were doing a full remodel on our guest bathroom and we were planning on staying in this house until we retire. We are not of retirement age but I have a lot of mobility issues at the moment so, we were looking to replace the bathtub with something that would bring us into our old age. We ran across Safe Step and it was kind of a geriatric look and I am not a geriatric yet, so I didn’t wanna go down that path. But when the sales rep came and told us all about all the different features, they were great. We decided that, in spite of the fact that it’s not the prettiest thing on the planet, we would get one.

I had a list of questions and the salesperson was knowledgeable about everything. I liked that she was not all about pushing a sale. When I heard early on what the price was, I told her that that was not what we had budgeted for a bathroom. The cost of the tub exceeded what the budget was to redo the entire bathroom and we’re having custom-cabinetry made so, I was shocked about the price but she went ahead and somehow made me interested in hearing more. It was a good experience with her. She was a real person and seemed honest.

Our house was built in the 80’s and installation was not as easy as anticipated. Normally, all they have to do is take the door frame off to get the new tub in. They had to cut into our sheet rock to get the tub in and we had just had the entire house repainted and had some sheet rock work done. Now, I’m left with having to repair both the inside and outside of the bathroom. The last thing I wanna do is deal with mud, and sanding and painting, but that’s where I’m left with. That was not ideal, but the installers were very knowledgeable and they were very nice people. They were a married couple and they were super nice and quick in spite of the fact they ran into some snags at our house. They dealt with that. So, they were here a little bit longer than they had anticipated, but they were lovely about it. Aside from having more work to do after the installation was done, it went smoothly.

I have been able to use the tub and I like it, but I wish that it was deeper. The amount of water that it takes to fill it is substantial and I am 5’8”, so it’s kind of average height but when I’m sitting in that tub, I have to put myself in a very strange position in order to submerge myself. It is a position that I will not be able to do when I’m an old lady. The water barely gets over the jets on your back and I’m still hardly submerged. It might come up to maybe my belly button so, I turn my body around and float in the water with my calves and feet in the seat, and my butt floating in the large part of the water, and my head sticking out over where the faucets are. So, it is a little bit of a distortion to get into that position. I can also soak by being on my knees with my upper body leaning on the seat, which is a really weird way of doing things, but it’s the only way I can get fully submerged.

For the amount of money I spent, I wish I was absolutely thrilled with absolutely every aspect of it, and I’m not. It needs to be perfect and it’s not, which is a shame. I don’t hate it so bad that I want them to take it out. We’ll keep it but it’s a huge expenditure for it’s not, to me, perfect. It will be perfect for someone shorter who is maybe 5’3”. They might be more submerged although they still have to use a whole lot of water. Also, the heated seat only heats the back and it doesn’t get very warm, so it’s pointless.

I’m not disappointed in the tub even though it kinda sounds like I am. I got tiny bubbles, the regular jets and the light features. I got all of the whistles and bells, and I’ve used all of them except for the aromatherapy largely because I use bath bombs frequently, but I really like the tiny bubbles and the handheld shower head. I’ve actually showered in that bathtub and washed my hair in there, just sitting in the seat one day, when I was hurting really bad and I just was not in the mood to stand up in the master bathroom shower. It was good and nice in that regard.

The service was very good and I’m assuming that what I was told was accurate, that in the event I need to have someone come out, it’s likely gonna be the same people who installed it. Even if it’s not the same people, it is their staff installers which is appealing to me, because often, service people don’t know the first thing about products. So, at least the bathtub people, they know what they’re doing and if I ever need service, I am assured that whoever comes out here is gonna really know the product, and that’s how good they are.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Our Safe Step rep went by a script. I was sure he was taught to do it, but I wish that we had more information and less of the script. I've sold things in the past, and I've learned that that's not the best way to be a good salesman. We didn't end up finding out about some of the things that we were curious about until later. Then, I had the most horrible experience I've had in a long time with the installation team that came. They were smart aleck. I have an office here in my home, and I have an employee, and both of us were really surprised at some of the smart alecky stuff that went on.

During the installation, the only time I went in there was when they took out our old shower. I looked to make sure that there was no water damage behind the old shower, and there was none. There wasn't even a ring where water had dripped, and I was really excited about that. When they were getting finished, they asked me to sign a paper. I signed it, but the paper said that I was completely satisfied and that there were no problems. They did some sheetrock damage and so I put it there. Evidently, that went to the home office and everybody saw it, so the man who is in charge in North Carolina called the installer. The guy from the installation team told that man that we had told him there was no problem with the sheetrock damage, and that we were getting ready to remodel the bathroom anyway, which was a complete lie. That was never said and there was no reason to say it.

The guy also told me that the home office called and told him that I called in and complained about the sheetrock. I told him that when I called in, I didn't even mention that. I also told him that if they record calls like they say they do, he'd find out. We weren't even complaining about the sheetrock, I just put it on the paper that there was sheetrock damage. We never asked them to fix it or said, "When are you coming back?" Randall and I had already agreed that we would fix it so between us, it was a moot point. But then, I don't like being lied to. That burns me up.

What I called about was a crease that was made in the place where the shelf joined what was already there at the tub. When my husband took a shower the next morning, the water went down that crease like a little channel and ran out into the floor, and he didn't know it. It went all into the guest bedroom and all over the guest bedroom carpet. I called Safe Step and told them that that channel was an issue, that we've never had water damage, and that we couldn't deal with water damage at that time. I also told them that I'd deal with the sheetrock, but I would not deal with the water damage. Randall was so upset and told me to tell Safe Step to get the tub. He was not having it. He can't even take a shower in it.

But the guy still complained. I told him that I wanted them to come out here and talk to me about my options and he said, "I don't have time to come out there." I thought, "Well, you got our check for $15,000. You didn't have to wait on anything." The guy told me that all he could do was put up an $11 piece of plastic. I told him I also wanted to talk about the glass doors and that I wanted someone to come and show me what my options were. He told me that he didn't have time, and so I told him to just take the tub back. I wasn't trying to ask for anything or to get anything for free. I just wanted to know what my options were. He then told me that he didn't know when he could come and that he'll call me and let me know.

He called me and said that he could be here by next Thursday. When they came out here, he came out with that piece of plastic that he bought for $11. He told me that that was all they could do, and to take it or leave it. I told him I wanted to see what it was, but he didn't even want to show me anything. I asked him how wide the door was and how it would swing out. I had a yardstick to see for myself how it would be because if the glass doors would look better, I'll get the glass doors. He took out a measuring tape. It's our secondary bathroom and it's a small one. There's a wall that protrudes out, and when he showed me the length of the door and how it went, that door would have been a real handicap.

When I saw that, I said, "Okay, well let's go ahead and try that piece, and if that works, that's fine." He told me that he needed some alcohol to clean the tub because there was a lot of soap scum on it. We've had a towel on it since day one because it leaked all over our floor. I didn't know what soap scum he thinks is in my house, but I didn't appreciate it. I guess he just says I'm a **. That was basically his attitude towards me. Also, he had his hands on Nicole's back every time he walked into the office, and she told me that she was creeped out. I gave him the alcohol, he put the thing on, and it has worked fine. It's not a problem and it doesn't look bad. As for the damaged sheetrock, they came back and dabbed some caulk there. But they didn't really attempt to fix the damage.

Overall, the tub is a great product and it's a huge deal for me. I love it and I'm in it every single day. My husband got it as a surprise for me. I was thrilled to death. I have bad knees and I have trouble walking. I stay inside the tub for two hours and I feel so much better when I get out of it. My legs are not swelling like they were. I would recommend Safe Step's tub to anybody. The installers, however, weren't worth a continental slip.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear that you did not have a good installation experience. Our intention is for every customer to be comfortable during the process of buying our products, from start to finish. I apologize that it was not for you, and thank you for making us aware of this. Please call our customer service department to make them aware of this interaction. It's so great to hear you still enjoy your tub, but I want to make sure you and your husband get everything resolved. I hope this helps, and thank you for writing a review!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 4, 2019

Safe Step lied to me. My husband had Alzheimer’s and dementia so he was on a walker. He was in a really bad shape. He was bed-bound for about three months and he was getting boils on his butt. I said I might be interested in the walk-in tub but when the guy from Safe Step came out, he just had brochures so I had no idea how big it was. I didn't know if my husband was gonna fit. I told him that I was impressed with what his brochures said but I also had appointments with other people. But he said that he would sell it to me for $2,000 less if I would sign on the dotted line right then.

My husband is 6'3" and 220 lbs., and the guy said that was what he was and he could walk around that thing all day long. He said my husband was not gonna have any trouble. When I asked what if he does have trouble, he said they would make it right. Then I said I would have to have it put in immediately because my husband was getting worse. We had caregivers coming in, strangers getting him down naked and flipping him around, and he hated it. The rep said they could expedite it, put us above everybody else and put the tub in immediately.

But it took him 21 days to put the tub in. Then when my husband got in it, he couldn’t even get out of it. It was so small. He couldn’t use it at all and I paid $16,000 for this thing. And of course, they waited 21 days so that the timing for me to say it wasn’t gonna work had totally run out. I called the guy back and told him it doesn’t work. He told me not to worry, that they have a bigger one, that they could take this one without any problem for me, and that it wouldn't cost me a thing. But I couldn’t get him to call me back and it just went on and on. My husband's demeanor was just going way down. Finally, the guy called me and this was like four weeks later. He asked if the bigger tub was ever put in and I said it hadn't. He said he would check on it for me. But I told him there was no need to do it. My husband had died on Mother's Day.

I know the tub would’ve made a difference if we’d had the right thing in here and he said, “I know it would have too.” He said that he was so upset then he said he would look into it and call me back within 24 hours. But he never called me back. I even tried to call him back. He was really nice but he lied to me and Safe Step never made it right. Also, when he was doing the paperwork, my husband was falling asleep in the chair and I said I had to get him to bed but the guy kept going and going, asking me to sign here and there and do this and that. I just wanted to get him out of the house. I didn't wanna be rude but my husband needed to go to bed.

I’ve also talked to other people. There was another guy who called me last Friday to ask what they could do. I told him I could hardly even go in there. They had put a $1,000 lien on my house. I couldn't believe that. He said that it was $8 a day and interest. But I told him I was not paying a penny for the tub and they should come back and get it. But he was saying they couldn't take it out because then they would have to put it in a landfill. I told him I don't really wanna get ugly with this. I don't wanna go to Channel 5 News and embarrass them to death. I don't wanna go the lawyer way either and I don't want this lien on my house.

Another thing is that my husband had died so my income had gone downhill and I can't really afford this. He asked what I could afford. I said the most I could probably come up with was $5,000. He said he would call me in an hour but he never called me back. So I don't know what to think. Plus when I signed the paperwork, I thought that Safe Step was gonna be the ones doing it. But after six days, I found out that they sold the paper to this other thing called Aqua whatever. I thought that was why they have the AAA rating. They don’t play fair. My husband was 86 and I’m 71. We’re seniors. I would’ve done anything for my husband just to keep him alive. But they took us to the cleaners. Now, I don’t know who to call. I don’t know who to talk to.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Teresa, I'm so sorry to hear of your experience. From looking at your file, I see that we are currently waiting on the information we need to get your tub removed. There seems to be some miscommunication as to what went wrong when you wanted to switch from the average sized tub to the larger one. Please stay in contact with our customer service department and the members that you have already spoken with. The service number is 1-800-989-5101.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I love Safe Step. They seemed to be the most reliable and during purchase and measuring, their reps did great. The installers also got things done and cleaned up in one day. After I got used to using the tub, it had me wondering why I hadn’t got it a long time ago. It’s a therapeutic bath and it’s relaxing me.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Gail, thank you so much for your message! We're so happy to hear that you're enjoying!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 1, 2019

My parents (aged in their early 80's) bought a tub last June. It has never held water correctly. My understanding is a service tech was sent out to look at it. Still no good. After more calls were placed, a new stopper was mailed to them. As far as I can tell, there were no instructions sent on installing this stopper. I guess they think my parents are tub installers and should be able to figure it out for themselves. Back to customer service... where they are now getting a runaround. They were told today a stopper kit was "being ordered" and they would be informed when it arrived. I won't be holding my breath. Or recommending this company to anyone else.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Greg, I'm sorry to hear of your parent's experience with us. It is not our intention to leave you or your parents in the dark about any issue, and I'm sorry for the communication issues. From looking at the file, it says that we are currently waiting on an installer in your area to get in touch with your mother for a service date. I will also go ahead and send this message to our service manager to make her aware of this situation, and so that we can resolve it as soon as possible! Thank you for being so patient with us, and I apologize for all the inconveniences. If they do not receive a call by tomorrow afternoon, please shoot me an email.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 26, 2019

The salesman of Safe Step knew the product but he couldn’t measure. He had the shower rod going right through our window. We have a nine-foot ceiling and we have a guy coming in, who's gonna drop the ceiling a foot in. So we can put a curtain rod on that piece that he’s gonna put up there. We can use the tub, but we really can’t use the shower. We’re not completed with them either because they went ahead and drilled holes in our ceiling. Nobody even told me they were gonna drill holes. The sales guy said, “Oh, no. They’ll route the wiring. You won’t even know it’s been done.” Next thing I know, I have holes in my ceiling that they patched. But they didn’t even put anything down. And now, I got all the white powder from the drywall on the ceiling that’s stuck in my black grout. I can’t get it out.

Hi Frederick,

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience, and for all the miscommunication. Please call our customer service department at 1-800-989-5101 so that we can get these issues resolved. Thank you!

Original review: June 25, 2019

The guy who came to the house did a good job of pitching Safe Step. The one downside would be the price but the installation experience was good and I like the whirlpool type of effect on the tub.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thanks for letting us know, James! Enjoy!

Original review: June 24, 2019

We liked the reviews that Safe Step had, and the sales rep wasn't a hard sell. He just explained everything. The installer did everything he said he was gonna do except one thing. They were supposed to fix the hole where the old tub was in, and they didn’t do that. All they did was put a plank over it. Still, the tub has met more than my expectations.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Jane, thank you for letting us know! WE're so glad you're enjoying your tub, and if you have any questions or concerns, please call our customer service department at 1-800-989-5101. Thank you!

Original review: June 23, 2019

I’m not getting any younger, and the thought of walking into a tub rather than climbing over into one made me decide it was time to remodel my bathroom. The Safe Step sales rep was great, and I was impressed with his knowledge of the product. The installers were in and they were gone, and it was done. It was painless. I like that I can just step into the tub rather than climb over a bathtub.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Robert, thank you so much for letting us know! Enjoy!

Original review: June 22, 2019

My husband had a hard time taking a bath before because of his back. He couldn't get up in the tub and had to take a shower all the time. We came in contact with Safe Step and the rep brought out his demonstrations to show how the tub works and how it locks. He also told me there was a lifetime warranty. But I didn't exactly get the tub that I ordered. The rep measured and ordered a big tub but it wouldn't go through the bathroom the way it was supposed to. The installation team told me that they would have to cut so much into the wall because they didn't know how the rep measured it. In the end, they had to bring another tub.

The installer was good. He told me and my husband that the door opens to the outside, not to the inside. But it opens to the inside. He told us that sometimes people's legs get in the way and that's why they had the door go to the inside. That's why he had to change all the faucet to the other side of the wall because if it opened up to the outside, it would it the toilet. If it opened to the inside, it wouldn't hit the toilet anywere. I use the tub once a week and I love the aroma and the massaging I get from the jets.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Veronica, I'm so sorry to hear of your experience! That is very strange, as the safety specialist is required to take measurements to ensure that you order the correct tub that works best for you and your space. Thank you for making us aware of this issue, and if you have any concerns or questions, please call our customer service department. I'm glad to hear you received another tub, but I apologize for the miscommunication and confusion. Hope you and your husband are enjoying the tub!

Original review: June 21, 2019

When I was looking for walk-in tubs, I contacted different providers but they never responded. But when I talked to the Safe Step reps, they were wonderful. They took the time out to ask me if I had any questions. They took a look at my bathroom and they knew what I had. When the workers came to install my tub, they asked if I was told that I could get the shower head and that it could come in different colors. I said, "No they didn't. They never mentioned it". The installer said that because everything was color coordinated, putting a tub in chrome was gonna stand out like a sore thumb and I didn't want that. So they didn't install it on the day they were supposed to because we changed it back to the original hardware that I had in my bathroom. That was the only thing that I did not like but other than that, it was wonderful. I love the quality of my Safe Step walk-in tub.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Deborah, thank you so much for letting us know that you're enjoying your tub! I'm sorry to hear that there was a miscommunication, but I'm glad we were able to get that fixed for you. If you have any other questions or concerns, please give us a call. Thanks so much, and I hope you continue to enjoy!

Original review: June 20, 2019

I got the Safe Step walk-in tube for my wife. She has replaced hip joints and she's not in a good condition as I am. So she's able to use the tub for bath and not have to worry about stepping over. We have a molded in place that we had installed when we built our home and she had trouble getting in and out of that. But with the walk-in tub, she doesn't have that trouble now. She's happy with it.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Robert! Thank you so much for letting us know that your wife and you are enjoying the tub! It's so wonderful that she feels safe getting in and out of her tub. Enjoy!

Original review: June 19, 2019

My sister and I are both elderly and we're having trouble getting in and out of the tub. But with the Safe Step walk-in tub, my sister could sit in there and take a bath with a hose in the shower. We like the Safe Step walk-in tub and we feel safer in it. We received good service on it, but we feel it was overpriced. Their sales rep was very aggressive. I told him I wanted to check around and call back. But he made the opposite expression and hurried it up. Then we just went ahead and got it because he was so persistent. But the installers were great. They did the job most of the day and they were so nice and friendly.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Gloria, thank you for letting us know that the tub has helped your sister and you feel safe in the bathroom. However, I'm so sorry to hear that you felt pressured into the order. We take pride in our business for being a "non-pressured sale," so to hear you say this is really disappointing. Please call our customer service department if you'd like to discuss further, or if you have any more questions or concerns.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I've had a beautiful experience with Safe Step. The reps explained all the details excellently. Also, the installers got the job done and did it well. The relaxation I get from the tub is the best part about it.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thanks for letting us know, Sandra! We're so glad to hear that you're enjoying.

Original review: June 15, 2019

This company's product is made and designed in this country. It’s also by private ownership and it is a big conglomerate. How I heard about SafeStep was that I had received several notices that there was such a thing. At the time, I wasn’t interested in it because I had something else I was using. But finally, I found it necessary to have a built-in tub because it was too hard to get in and out or even to sit on the seat that I had there. I couldn't take a shower because I couldn't stand.

I also investigated a couple of companies but I like Safe Step because they were no-nonsense about anything. The man came out, showed us all the things and went through the whole thing. We developed a rapport with the salesperson right away. He also told me the different things that they discounted because I didn’t want a shower and this and that. It came down quite a bit and we went ahead and got it. We thought it would be really nice and I like it. It’s very good. It has the jets, which is great. One of its best features is that it empties out very fast. When you fill it and it goes all the way up where you would use all the different jets, it has a thing that says don’t fill beyond this particular place so I don’t. When I let the water out afterwards, it's surprisingly fast. It even went faster than my sink.

When the people had come to install the tub, they found out that the tub that was coming was smaller than the space. They decided to take it back and get the next size to fill in the space. And there was no added charge. The installation was also a little noisy and messy but they pretty much cleaned up everything after themselves. Plus they were very cordial and nice. They answered any questions that we had so they were very good.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Carolyn, thank you so much for letting us know that you're enjoying the tub! Please keep on enjoying!

Original review: June 14, 2019

I like everything about my walk-in tub. I chose Safe Step because of the quality and the price, and the sales representative I dealt with was great and very helpful. The installers were real nice and very knowledgeable as well. They cleaned up everything and it was good working with them.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thank you so much for letting us know of your experience, Dan! Enjoy!

Original review: June 13, 2019

I found Safe Step in the AARP magazine and I also did research on it, and decided to get it. The sales rep that assisted me was great. A merry bunch of guys did the installation. I like the way they were friendly and the way they've done everything to my satisfaction. The tub has been great. My wife and I are getting older. She has back trouble, so getting the walk-in tub was the right thing to do.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Owen, thank you for letting us know that you're enjoying, and that we could make you both feel safer in your bathroom! Have a great day!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: June 12, 2019

The Safe Step sales rep was very pleasant. I was impressed by experts who did all of the installing. That was very reassuring. The installation was really fast. They came at 8:00 and left at 3:00. They were very careful to be very clean and to clean everything up. The quality of the tub is fine, but I had one problem. The water cannot reach any higher than my chest when I'm sitting down in the Safe Step tub. I was hoping to have a tub where I could have my shoulders under water. And it's too small. I can't scoot down.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Shirley, thank you for letting us know of your experience. I'm so sorry to hear that the tub is smaller than you had originally thought. Our customer service department might be able to give you a few tips on how to have a more enjoyable bathing experience. Please give them a call if that interests you, or if you have any other questions or concerns!

Original review: June 11, 2019

We read about the Safe Step tub on the internet and everything that is said about it sounded good. It also had good reviews. The sales rep came to the house, and she was very good. We loved her. After she left and we had made one decision, we decided to move where we wanted it, and we had to do some construction of our own. So, we had the tub drop shipped to us and had local plumbers to install it. The whole process was very smooth. The man that came to deliver gave us a lot of information that was very helpful. So, that worked out really good. I like the bubble thing of the tub. And when you're using it, it definitely helps with your aches and pains.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Janet, thank you for letting us know of your experience! We're so glad to hear that you've been enjoying your tub, and that it's helping with your pain!

Original review: June 9, 2019

My brother-in-law and my sister are both 86 years old. The walk-in tub has been very beneficial for them because my sister had fallen and broken her femur. She has a hard time getting around and she could not get in and out of the old tubs, so the walk-in tub works quite well for her. And she likes the heated seat. My husband dealt mostly with the Safe Step rep. He was very thorough on what he told my husband and my brother-in-law at that time and he knew what he was doing.

The installers were very nice. They were supposed to put everything exactly as it was, which they did, except for cutting a small piece of molding that went from the tub to the countertop itself. I've contacted them before about it and when the guy called me, he said, “If you wouldn’t mind, it’s just a matter of a few minutes, I’ll call you one day next week and go ahead and have somebody come out. And me or my partner will come out and take care of that for you.” But they still have not contacted me or done it. I ended up just taking a piece of molding and putting it behind the toilet until they come out. But other than that, it was fine.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Darlene, thank you for taking the time and letting us know of your experience! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying!

Original review: June 8, 2019

The sales representatives from Safe Step were great. Compared to other walk-in tub companies, SafeStep seemed to be what I needed and the experience has been great. Everybody is enjoying the tub too. The remote on there won’t work. But I also thought the tub would take more water and it doesn’t. I also like the jets and I’ve been recommending Safe Step.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Barbara, I'm so glad to hear that your experience was great! Please call our customer service department so that we can send you a working remote! Enjoy!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I purchased a Safe Step tub two years ago and then I had a shower addition four months ago. The quality of installation work was excellent and the installers were quick, efficient and polite. I like my walk-in tub and shower 'cause I can't trip and fall in it. I would recommend Safe Step.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thank you for letting us know David! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying it and feel safe!

Original review: May 18, 2019

My wife invited the salesman in and the next thing I knew, he was measuring everything up. A couple of days later, they were installing it. The installers were wonderful. They cared about their work. They were really professional. There were no sleeping on the side, and they went right to work on it. And they left everything very nice. We've only used the Safe Step tub three times since we’ve had it. We’re still trying to get used to it and getting acquainted with the apparatus there - how to cut it off and on, and then the hot water and cold water. We haven’t had time to concentrate on the tub, but it is beautiful.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The sales rep from Safe Step I had was excellent. He had good manners and good salesmanship. Then, the installers came in and they did the job and cleaned up after everything. I love the tub and I’m satisfied with it.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Safe Step installed a walk-in tub for me. While the tub is very expensive, I can’t stand so I can’t shower but I can get in the tub. My experience with Safe Step's representative was fine, and the installation team did all right. One of the things for the jet thing blew out. And also, I’m getting hot water out of my cold spigot. But Safe Step was contacting the installer and he's gonna come back. Overall, the company could take a little more time in explaining the features of their product, how to use them and what they’re used for.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I had Safe Step come and talk to me. I had been looking at other tubs also but I went with them because of the availability of the features, as far as getting me in and out. The installation seemed to be fine. It started at about 9:00 and they started wrapping up a little after 5:00. They did a really thorough job as far as insulating the well-holes and checking the drainage. And since using the tub, it has been easier for me. If anyone is considering buying from Safe Step, I would tell them to check on as far as what they believe they might want and go from that. It seemed like a more thorough job to make.

Original review: May 14, 2019

When the Safe Step rep did the presentation, we liked everything that he had to say about the walk-in tub. He was very, very knowledgeable about it. The installation team was wonderful too. They had to take another shower out from our bathroom, and they had to put another wall to the end. So, it took them longer. But they got it all in one day and in the daylight. They cleaned up really good after they had finished and took everything in their cars. They didn't leave any trash at our house, so that was good.

My husband had five surgeries on one knee, and the walk-in tub seems to be helping him a lot to walk better. He has less aches and pains. I'm not a sit still person but it seems very relaxing to take a bath in that. We like all of the jets. We really enjoy the heated seat and the jets. We also like it with the water changing colors. I've recommended Safe Step to a customer of mine.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub expert review by Shelley Webb

Providing American-made walk-in tubs since 2008, this company focuses on designs that provide consumers with in-home spa-like experiences. Built for comfort and safety, these walk-in tubs are available at several licensed service locations across the United States and Canada. The company is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee.

• Therapy options: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are outfitted with hydrotherapy, aerotherapy, chromatherapy and aromatherapy systems. The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines whirlpool and air massage for a full-feature spa experience.

• Personal Hygiene Therapy: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are outfitted with a Personal Hygiene Therapy system. This feature includes specially positioned jets on the seat of the tub to act as a bidet. To keep water fresh, tubs are also equipped with a Safe Water Ozone Cleaning System that purifies water through the tub’s jets.

• Aluminum frame: Most tubs have steel frames, but the frames of Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are made of aircraft-grade aluminum. The frame is lightweight, allowing for easier installation, without sacrificing durability.

• Ordering process: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs works with consumers through every step of the ordering process. They begin with a free quote and offer consultation for pricing and financing. Safe Step Walk-in Tubs also provides certified installation service.

• Discounts: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs offers special discounts for their products. With savings up to $1,500 and complimentary upgrades, Safe Step Walk-in Tubs works to save consumers money.

• Walk-in showers: Safe Step also sells walk-in shower suites. If you need to convert your shower into a safer, more convenient bathroom space, Safe Step can help you.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility, those with chronic pain, senior citizens and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information