4.3/5 (178 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Verified

I have a stage 4 cancer patient at my home who is 70 years old... We got Safe Step's walk-in tub and it's a very nice product. ... My mom uses it weekly, if not almost every day t...

Verified

We’ve really been enjoying our Safe Step. The installation went great. ...I expected a lot more mess. The installers were extremely neat. There was very little dirt, and the produ...

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
    • Two grab bars
    • Anti-slip flooring
    • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
    • A hand-held shower wand
    • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof a floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling and draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

All Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that's part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most standout luxury features are its Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System and its MicroSoothe Air Therapy System.

The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.

The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft.

MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, which allows for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub lets users also have the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual showerheads and all of the safety features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices vary depending on the model you choose and the difficulty of installation. Some of the issues that affect installation quotes are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job because of the difference in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs come in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQ

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?
    Safe Step designs its walk-in tubs to fit into standard bathtub spaces. This means that if you have a regular bathtub, the walk-in tub will fit in the same area. Some walk-in tubs can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each user.
    What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?
    Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. The warranty covers manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters, blowers, parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.
    What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?
    A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. The company only sends installers that have been screened and are certified and fully insured. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete. Safe Step backs its installation process with a lifetime warranty on labor.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Its representatives determine pricing on a case-by-case basis, so you won’t know your total cost until you go through the free consultation. However, the quote you receive includes the installation cost.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: April 10, 2022

The sales rep was great, and installation was good. It took most of the day for them to put the tub in because they had a bit of trouble. They had to remove some stuff out of my bathroom and resituate things. I like the Safe Step tub. I love that I can sit up and use it, and I can do exercises in it. It's not a lot of room, but I can push myself up and down with my arm so I can get some arm exercises. I also like the showers in it as well as being able to sit in there, and it does whirlpool around. So it gives me some benefits. I like the jets on my back as well.

There's a couple of things that I wish were different though. Unfortunately, my right knee is affected, and that's the knee that hits the door. There's no jet that hits that leg, and I really need it to do that, but just being able to sit in hot water is a good thing. The other thing is, it’s much smaller than I thought it would be. If I weighed 110 pounds, that would be fantastic. I'd be really happy and I’d fit in it great, but I weigh 230 pounds. So walking in it, I open the door and I have to turn sideways, squeeze myself around the back of the door, then close it. It's same thing with getting out of it. I gotta get towards the front where the shower is, open the door, and squeeze my way around that door again to get out, which is a little inconvenient for me.

I wish the door was a little bigger. It also looks like there's a little splitting in the seam where they put it together and did the caulking, so I’ll have them come back out and fix that part. Other than that, it's a great tub. My grandkids, my family and I use it. Sometimes I have to wait till 2 o'clock in the morning to use it because everybody else has been in it.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2022

We called Safe Step to see what it would cost to get a walk-in, so they made the appointment to come and talk. The guy came and he was here for hours. He gave a spiel and we had purchased the product before he left. All we wanted was an estimate and we were going to check different places, but nobody would give you an estimate without coming and talking to you. So, we didn't even get a second estimate. Plus, he guy wouldn't leave till we said yes. Then, it was about a week or so before they came back. But that was no problem because they had to almost take my bathroom apart to get it in. We knew it was going to happen and we have two bathrooms, so that was not a problem. The guys that came for the installation were marvelous and it took them all day. They were like part of the family.

I love the tub and I spent about an hour in it yesterday. But it doesn't take all that much water. I would use that much water in the shower, and I have used it as a shower also. But I love the fact that you can just sit and enjoy and, at the same time, get a body massage. I needed to spend more time getting to know the controls though. I was standing there and watching the installer. He already had the tub filled up before I went, then he would show me the different things to use. But he was just the installer and he didn't know everything about the tub.

On the first time I got in it, I flooded the bathroom. I didn't close the door all the way and I thought I had the lever down, which I pushed as far as it would go, but I needed to put a little weight behind it before and push it all the way. So, I thought that I closed it and started the water running. It started filling up and when I looked out, there was water all over my floor. But that was okay as I cleaned the floor same time I cleaned myself. Other than that, the walk-in is gorgeous. It's so pleasing and with the water massage, I don't think I wasted my money. It will also increase the value of the house if we ever sell it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Safe Step was in this area and they could install the tub, so bought from them. I also like the fact that I could get in and out of the tub, since I'd fallen three times with the new house I moved into with the tub that was there. My sales rep was Patrick and he was wonderful. He went through all the different material in addition to the material that I already had and he helped me through all the steps of getting what I wanted.

Then, I had three guys here for the installation. First off, they came in and laid down tarps everywhere in the house they'd have to go through. Then, they dropped the tub in and made sure that I could get in and out of it before they went about tearing out the old tub and different things in that wall. After that, they were in the crawlspace underneath and found a damaged pipe. They repaired that while they were down there setting everything up, then they put in and tested everything. They were here for about nine hours because the door wasn't feeling right for them. It hadn't been adjusted at the factory. I've also used the tub now for about three weeks and I noticed that I have a leak in the door. And if you're sitting in the tub with the air and the water going, it will bubble up the back. So, you have to have an extra towel on the floor there that you can soak totally as it comes up the backside of the tub. I've got to get a hold of Patrick about that.

Other than that, they did such a nice job with the installation. My cousin stopped by later that night and admired all of their ground work. This is a guy who's particular in his contracting job and he told me that I need to make sure and give them a special thank you for all the work they did. So far, I like the jet action on the tub because I can't get around anymore. I am wheelchair and walker-bound, so I like that can get in and out of the tub. And with the bubbling and even sitting there, I can do bicycle with my legs and give myself a little bit of leg exercises, which I can't do other than there. I've also recommended Safe Step to people who've been in the house.

Original review: June 21, 2021

We did our due diligence on the walk-in-tub purchase. There's the Home Depots and Lowe's and companies like that out there and when you look at their pricing, it seems like it's a lot less, but then you have to tack on hiring somebody to install it and having the guarantee. Plus, Safe Step is an American company and they're all manufactured and distributed in the United States, and they employ a lot of veterans. That was big for me.

The warranty is great. If someone decides against Safe Step, they need to make sure that they got their warranty covered because I have never seen a warranty like that one before. It didn't hurt to have a lifetime warranty on everything on that tub. And if we ever decided to move, as part of the warranty, they'll come out and relocate that tub to another house. That was huge for us. The guy said that they've had a couple of people who called to schedule because they were moving and they called and canceled because the people buying the house saw the tub and checked it out, and decided they'd pay the extra to keep the tub.

My wife uses the tub about twice a week, even though we have other tubs and showers. I've used it three times, maybe once a week. We didn't have injury or rehab or limitations that kept us from using the other equipment, so I would do it again. One of the problems that I always had with the hot tub and spa is that you open it and you get it going, and it might be 104 degrees when you open it up but it never stays hot enough. But this one has a heated seat in it and it recirculates the water when you have the jets on, and so the water always stays hot. The whole time I'm in it, the water never gets any cooler. I enjoyed that part of it so I would recommend Safe Step.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thank you so much for the great review, Todd. We're so happy to hear that we could provide you with a satisfying Safe Step experience!

Original review: May 25, 2021

My knees are shot and I can't stand in a shower. The bird bath just wasn't doing it after a while. Safe Step's rep was very good, explained things, answered questions, and seemed knowledgeable about his topic. And then, the installation went efficiently. That was almost half day. It could have gone longer. The workmen were pleasant, polite, efficient, and did a very good job in what they did.

I am not a huge person, but when I sit in the seat, and I tried to move or do whatever, it's claustrophobic. I understand it has a seat. And because people are in a precarious position, they can't exactly have lots of room for them to fall and drown in. But I don't know if that space could be made a bit better. And the only thing that I found somewhat disappointing were the jets. But you have one side that can have them, while the other has the door. So how do you put anything there? Because I was hoping to get pummeled more. But I like the air jets or the middle button. That is great. And the micro thing is wonderful, which is my favorite of anything. The lights are also nice, and the scent is in some way superfluous.

By the door, there's a latch right in that corner. And there's a small grab bar that you're supposed to get ahold of, there’s the dial for the heat, etc. One time, I unknowingly hit the heat thing and turned it. I didn't even know that I did it until we got out and cleaned up afterwards. Something seemed different, but didn't know what. I didn't get scalded. But because of trying to get in, walk in and get turned, trying to grab the bar and get the door closed, it was a little tight. Also, I get in the step-up but I'm still wobbly. It's a lot more expensive than the bird bath too. But overall, I'm still glad that I got the tub because I can sit in the tub and get washed all over. And my skin feels nice after that.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I like the tub, but the salesman was not honest and even with great credit the financial company he used is terrible. The interest rate is 7.9% which will cause the tub to actually cost $35 thousand with the payment schedule. The salesman told me that my 40 gallon water heater would be fine, knowing full well that the tub takes 85 gallons to be able to use the jets. He also said payments would be deferred for 4 months. The financial company said 3 months, but of course started charging interest immediately, so at $50 per month interest, I don't feel it was actually deferred. I don't have space for a bigger water heater so I had to go with tankless, which including installation cost me $4,500. I am disabled and thought the tub would help me but all it has done is cause me financial stress. Unless you are wealthy, I do NOT recommend buying this tub!

Original review: April 26, 2022

The rep was really nice to me and the installers were wonderful. I got in the tub and we had to play with the water. I'm tickled to death with the jets. Safe Step is the one to go with. They're the best.

Original review: April 21, 2022

The reps were absolutely great. The guy who looked at what had to be done kept talking and told us all the information. The three who installed everything showed us what was going on throughout the installation. It wasn't just, “Okay, now we have your tub in. This is what you do.” We have the jets and the microbubbles and those are really nice.

Original review: April 17, 2022

I love the Safe Step tub. It’s perfect and I'm looking forward to getting in it. I've gotten into it the first time, but I had problems with the faucet. I called someone and they came and showed me something. I'm happy that I have it. I would recommend it to anyone if they can afford it. However, I had called and I want someone to come back out again and help me because I kept having problems with turning the water on and off. It’s not like the regular faucet. There's something that I have to do with it that I don't know exactly how to adjust. No one has come yet.

Original review: April 16, 2022

The Safe Step sales representative was very nice, and the installation was incredible. Two guys did it. They took the hose all the way down to the studs and rebuilt it from there. It was a very good job. I was very satisfied, and I'm very happy I did it. I like the microbubbles. These are the old two sensors that had oxygen and it got rid of my eczema that I've been battling for 10 years. I would definitely recommend Safe Step to anybody.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information