Call toll free
4.32/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Safe Step Walk-In Tubs, we take pride in dedicating the most safe and comfortable walk-in tubs and showers for our customers. All of our products are fitted with the industry’s most accessible low step-in, and are equipped with the best hydrotherapy systems to help relieve pain, enhance mobility and reduce stress.

Every Safe Step product is manufactured in the U.S., allowing us to continue our legacy of providing lower and more affordable pricing than any of our competitors. We believe in our products so much, we back each walk-in tub and walk-in shower with the most extensive Lifetime Warranty in the industry. With locations across the U.S. and Canada, our team of customer support and technicians are always on call to help you and your family.

We care about providing enjoyable and safe bathing experiences to those in need, that we created an initiative in 2012 to donate walk-in tubs to anyone in need of a safer bathing solution, who could otherwise not afford on their own.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co. Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1207 Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I would never install a Safe Step walk-in tub!!! We are the third owners of the tub which was installed in 2011. Problem is that the lifetime warranty applies to the original owner only and once out of warranty the company is not interested in servicing your tub. The tub is prone to leaking as the seal will deteriorate and the company is not interested in even replacing the seal. We offered to pay for the repairs but were met with "We don't know anyone that would be interested or have the knowledge to repair it". Replacing the whole door was another option but there was no attempt to help us with this. The serviceman simply said it's very expensive to do this. Absolutely horrible customer service!!!

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Purchased Safe Step tub May 2018. Caulking of tub substandard after two attempts, I caulked tub myself. Trash was left under tub enclosure. Remote for tub and replacement does not work. Terrible Installation.

Original review: July 17, 2018

No-no Safe Step!!! Safe Step has rushed us to purchase then to install. Since then they have not kept their promises for service that needs to be done. Also the tub is difficult for us because we are oversized and we weren’t informed about that.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

This tub was purchased and installed January 2017. We have had service calls since then, replacing light bulb and fixing a sound in the door. Not once, has anything been said about tub being difficult for them because of their size. Last time we were out there, in March 2018, it was for a sound coming from door. This tub has been used since being installed and no complaints over not being able to use tub.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The sales rep of Safe Step was very friendly. My bathroom is small and he explained everything to me and made sure I understood all of it. My house is on a slab, so that makes everything difficult. It was a little harder because you can't go underneath to look at anything because there's no basement. The installers had to change the water pipes from one side to the other. But they didn't have any trouble doing that or getting everything in and setting it all up. They were prompt, did a good job, and got it all done in one day. I feel a little better since having the tub. I have rheumatoid arthritis, and I can sit down and soak and it's been nice being able to do that. All I could do before was take a shower and I can't stand up for very long at a time. And the little microbubbles is quite beneficial.

Original review: June 1, 2018

The walk-in tub companies were all pretty much the same but Safe Step had a better cost. We contacted them through Lowe's and they came to our home. They really explained everything about the tub, what it would do and what we could expect from the people installing it. It was all really good. We were very prepared when the installers came and we knew what to expect as far as the tub. The installers were great folks and nice guys too. It also took them a lot less time than we expected. It was all taken care of in one day and it was very quick and easy. My mother-in-law, Felice loves the tub. She really enjoy the bubbles, the little micro milk bath thing, and the jets in the back. And the biggest thing is the fact that she can get in and out without falling. She enjoys a bath, not a shower, so it’s nice that she can do that, get in and out. It keeps her independent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co.?

Original review: June 1, 2018

A gentleman came and gave a presentation on Safe Step's walk-in tubs and that sold us to it. He did a great job. The installers did a good job as well and they were in and out that day, cleaned up, and explained how to use the tub. I usually take showers but when I have a long day, I get in the tub instead and relax.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The competitor was $3,000 to $4,000 higher than Safe Step so we picked the latter. The Safe Step people were great too. They tore out the old section that they needed to, put the tub in and finished it all very nicely. They told me ahead of time that I was gonna have some concrete showing because my old rug went to where the old shower section was and I told them it was no problem. I've even already had a new rug put in. We've had the walk-in tub for a couple of months now and we're pleased with it. We got all the features and our favorite are the air bubbles, the heated seats, the backrest and the headrest. They had also explained to me that when you open the door, sometimes it gets dirty down there and you need to clean it or it leaks. That happened once but I cleaned it and it doesn’t leak anymore so that's good.

Original review: May 31, 2018

About five years ago, Pat Boone advertised Safe Step Walk-in Tubs on TV and my mother wanted one. So I purchased it for her and she enjoyed it. When we had an issue, they resolved it as soon as possible and she never had any other problems with the tub. I trusted the company and I decided to buy from them again recently. The sales rep was a very polite guy and he presented himself very well. He was also very funny and totally into the whole safe tub experience. I enjoyed his presentation and I liked him as a representative.

When the tub was put in, their installation team was okay. But they had to take down the crown molding of the entrance way to the bathtub and when they put it back, it was kind of distorted and it doesn’t look as nice at it did before. They patched it up the best they could but I can still see the imperfection in the crown molding. Other than that, I like the features of the tub all together, especially the massager and the color changes of the water. I also feel safer getting in and out of the tub and the seat. For anyone who has a mobility issue, such as myself, it would be a great experience to have a Safe Step walk-in tub if they could afford to get one. It is safe and they can be assured that there will be no issues with the tub. And if there are issues, Safe Step will resolve them with no problems at all. They're excellent.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The Safe Step sales rep was good. We like that the tub was made in America too. However, I felt that my mom was not gonna get the walk-in tub, but the rep called the company and asked if there were any people who had ordered something and couldn’t finish it. There was a lady who gave a downpayment for the tub but then she passed away. He did that for my mom and then she bought it.

The installation team was amazing as well. They were down-to-earth people and treated us with respect. They made sure that they cleaned up all their mess and the house looked like it did when they were left as they arrived. We had a snowstorm the night before and they were running in and out all day but they did not mess up the carpet. Our favorite feature of the tub is the jets on my mom's feet. My mom couldn’t feel her feet before, but now, she can. The Safe Step walk-in tub is amazing. I wish that every elderly person can afford it since it helps so much with neuropathy.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Safe Step was recommended by the veterans. My husband is a veteran, so I decided that might be the best one. The sales representative, when they came over, was a very nice guy. He explained everything so that we did not really have many questions. But, he answered any questions we had. The installation team also went fine. They explained what they were gonna do. They even had to do things that had to do with electrical parts. Afterwards, they explained everything to us on how to work it. I like the jets because they really get to my little pain points. Since having the tub, I have been more relaxed and when I do get out and get in at night especially, I'm more relaxed for bed. At that particular time, I have been in a little less pain.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I called up Safe Step and the rep was nice and informative. Also, the installers did a good job. They showed up on time, which is better than usual since most people don't. They also cleaned up after themselves. I'm not able to stand very long and I like that with the tub, I don't have to step over the edges. It's made it easier to take a bath.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We have had the tub for about a month. The tub has been leaking since it was installed. We have had service staff out 4 times. It is now leaking from the shower and the tub itself. The ceiling in the downstairs part of the house is being ruined. The most recent service request was 5 days ago and we can't get a call back. The next step is to have the tub removed and litigate. This tub was $16,000 and has been unusable. Caution, caution, caution when dealing with Safe Step. Apparently, the warranty/guarantee is worthless.

Original review: May 29, 2018

About 30 years ago, I had cancer on my foot. Had a mole that had become malignant. They took it off and then they also took my lymph nodes out of my right side. So I have a lot of swelling and I just turned 81 years old. The doctor told me to start doing something. And then one time, we called and talked to the salesman from Safe Step Walk-in Tubs. He came to the house and we decided to buy the tub. The salesman was a wonderful guy. We like him for all the help. He later proved that the tub would help. The installation team that came did wonderful too. I have never seen anybody work so efficiently and didn’t make a mess. We were shocked at how fast they put it in.

While I haven't used the tub a lot, it has helped heal my skin cancer on my leg. It was an open wound for a long time and I had a hard time healing because of circulation. But the tub helped heal it and it makes you feel wonderful. All in all, I would recommend Safe Step Walk-in Tubs. We have a lot of older people in our community and a lot of them would enjoy it.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I had difficulty getting into my regular shower and tub, so I called Safe Step and they came out and explained it to me. The jets are good, but I think if the door comes out instead of going in, it would be much comfortable because I have to squeeze in and lift the grills up before I get in and sit down. It’s a little too small but when you look at the space that they put it in, it’s good because it didn’t cover any windows. I'm satisfied with what I got.

Original review: May 28, 2018

My husband has dementia and I got the Safe Step Walk-in tub for him. The sales rep was terrific. But I don't care for the sales tech that they have because they really tried to hide the price upfront when people wanna know what it cost. Because I think they figured out, it'll be a turn off if you're gonna pay 13 to 16 thousand for a tub. It's like buying a car and I think they wanna sell the good points of it and show the value of it before they tell you the price.

But I called the company and they gave me a range. I'm not unhappy that I got it. The walk-in tub could be very therapeutic. The installation team were very thorough and were very nice when they came to the home. But my husband has been very hesitant about getting in the tub. I've been able to get him into give him like a sponge bath but not to put the water too far up. But I heat the seat and get him in. It takes a while to do the bath versus a shower. And we've always been shower people and it was really good.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I've been seeing Safe Step Walk-in Tubs in magazines for months and when I had a hip replaced, we started looking into it. Safe Step is American made, and we decided to get a walk-in tub from them. Their representative came out to the house, showed us what he could do for us, how long it'd take, and I told him I'd go get financing. As soon as I got financing, they were here very shortly thereafter. The installation team was very nice. My wife said they came in, took care of the installation and cleaned up. I'm 64 and when I'm out working in the yard, I'm always tired and sore when I come in. I get in the tub and soak for a little while. When I'm in it, the Safe Step Walk-in Tub's jets on my back feels great and I get out feeling great too. The big yes is for me because of my hip and I'm getting ready to have my knee fixed. We love it.

Original review: May 27, 2018

My husband fell and broke his hip and so far, he's had three surgeries on it. I got the Safe Step tub for him but I am enjoying it myself. I love it. The installers were absolutely awesome. They did everything in a neat and educated manner. I've told my friends about the tub and all of them have checked it out. They said that they've got to come and take a bath on it but I told them to get their own. I wouldn't trade my tub for anything.

Original review: May 27, 2018

The Safe Step Walk-in Tubs sales representative was really nice, and the installation team was great. They explained things if there were any questions. They were as nice as they could be, and they cleaned up great. We went camping over the weekend and I sat in there yesterday. It makes my skin feel so nice. I have an awful lot of trouble with my legs walking. I’m not really crazy about the jets though. I may use the jets for five minutes only. However, I use the hydrotherapy mostly. My husband will be 91 and I have to help him with a lot of it. However, the features, as far as how to work it, they are very simple even for an old person. I recommended it to my sister in Kansas and she bought one, too. She has an awful lot of problems, and she weighs an awful lot and she is short. She had to buy the bigger one and she said, “Oh, I love it. I feel so good.”

Original review: May 26, 2018

The salespeople at Safe Step did everything I wanted and I was convinced. Also, the installers were good. But I've had to replace the cap for the aroma therapy fill twice because the little tabs break off when you close it. Right now, I'm not opening or closing it. I'm putting the aroma therapy directly in the water, but it doesn't help when you have that and you can't use it. I suggested last time that they contact their supplier or their engineering department and make the change. I enjoy the tub very much but they need to redesign the closing tabs on that so it doesn't break.

Original review: May 26, 2018

My lady friend had seen Safe Step and she kept bugging me about it. I have a little problem standing up in the shower anyway so I needed it. I called and the sales rep was nice and a hell of a guy. Also, the installation worked out fine. They went into it and had no problems. I've already recommended Safe Step to many of my friends. I let my friend use the tub first and she loves it.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We had Safe Step over to talk. I know it was a bit expensive, like I could probably have done a little better going with somebody else. But I like that it was made in the United States and has a lifetime warranty. The sales rep was good. He showed us a bunch of pictures and how they were fabricated and made. And then he showed us some other ads of other manufactured tubs. His presentation was good and he sold me the tub. The installation team did a good job however, when I shut the cold water off on my bathroom sink, I heard the pipe rattle a bit. And that was because they took out the hard copper that was there and put in that PEX pipe. And so, I got a bit of water hammer but it’s not bad. Other than that, the installation looks good. So far, we’ve only used it twice. I need to put in a new hot water heater because the tub won’t fill itself up all the way with hot water. Nevertheless, we're happy with Safe Step.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Safe Step sent someone to the house and she was very knowledgeable and thorough. I liked her and I was ready to buy. The installation was good, but they punched a hole in the wall between the tub and the toilet. They patched it up a little, but they didn’t patch it to be of use. There's a rough patch white cement there now. My husband said he’ll do it but Safe Step should have completed the work.

I like the whirlpool part of the tub the best, but I don't like the part where you have it on your seat and you have to wait to get it on your back. I end up having water splashing all over the floor when I turn it on. But I have restless legs and the tub has helped with that. I also have back problems and it helps give me a place to go and relax a little bit and come out relaxed for a little while.

Original review: May 25, 2018

The Safe Step Walk-in Tub's sales rep we dealt with was really great. He explained a lot, and I appreciated him. Our transaction went very well. The installation team was also wonderful. They were so polite and they just answered any question I had. And they just went right to work, and they were busy. They started around 8:30 and finished up around 4:00. I like all of the features of my walk-in tub. I have several friends that I have shown it to and they’ve been very impressed. they said, “Wow. As soon as we update our bathroom, I think we’ll be calling them.” I would recommend them.

Original review: May 24, 2018

The Safe Step sales rep was very responsive and very knowledgeable about his product. The installers were really sure on their work and they made it look really nice when they finished. Also, they didn’t leave a mess and I was pleased with that. The tub has a lot of medical benefits from the use of the features. I liked the micro soft bubble feature of the tub and the jets in the back.

However, I have my hot water heater right next to my bathroom and it's in my garage. I thought it would be efficient but the water comes out cold when I first turn it on. It takes a long time for my hot water to get to the tub but that's not the tub's fault and that's just the plumbing in my house. But since it doesn’t turn out hot when I first turn it on to hot, I had turned the water on and forgot to latch the door. I flooded my bathroom and it seeped into my bedroom carpet. The warning is don’t forget to latch the door and it might be a good idea to put something in the tub to remind you to latch the door. Other than that, I'm enjoying my tub.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I did a little research and it seemed like Safe Step had a little more experience. And the salesperson really knew what he was talking about comparing their tub to other companies like American Standard. Also, the installers did everything good. I use the tub regularly and I like the microbubbles which help to get rid of squamous cells.

Original review: May 23, 2018

The Safe Step rep I had was new, but he knew exactly what he was getting at and what he was putting out. He did a good job. I didn't have a problem during the installation of the unit but I only knew that we couldn't get the shower handle up at two feet after the whole thing was done. I tried to take a shower, but that didn’t do me any good 'cause it's just about two feet there and it won't go anywhere but that corner. A young man came down here to check it out and he showed me that it was getting hung up around one of the posts underneath it. He then pulled it all the way inside and it came up six feet or more.

I asked him if he could come up with a method and put the thing up on the back wall and let it stay up there instead of getting tangled up every time we try to pull it out and he did. He has the part in his truck and he used it. It wasn’t easy and he was in and out for about two hours putting that thing on the wall but he did it wonderfully. Now it's perfect. It gave me a fine shower. I enjoy my Safe Step walk-in tub and it made a difference for me. I love the shower. My son took a shower in it once and he loved it. I'd recommend Safe Step Walk-In Tubs.

Original review: May 23, 2018

Safe Step is a very good choice for the elderly. And I felt safer. I have a huge shower and I can fall in there because I have a balance problem. If I shut my eyes, I fall over. So I have to feel along the wall and it was very dangerous. One day, I looked up for walk-in tubs on firstSTREET and I thought Safe Step had the most to offer. I liked the way it was written up. Moreover, the sales representative was great. He was the selling point. He was an older gentleman, and I am older so that helped. And he wasn't pushy. There was no pressure sales so I enjoyed it.

The guys who came to install the walk-in tub were fantastic. They were very conscious of everything. I like the way they covered up our floors and made sure nothing was disturbed. And the installation was very short. Four guys came in and then there was a guy in charge. He also helped hooking up the water. However, when I used it the first time, it got so hot. The control is set for 120 degrees. And you can go above that or below. But when I went below to find some cold water, there wasn't any. I turned it off and got out of there really fast. I then called Safe Step and they sent out someone to look at it. He was very pleasant too so I enjoyed him. He found out that the hot was cold and cold was hot. So he went downstairs and reversed the pipes. Since then, everything works fine.

So far, I try not to use the walk-in tub every day. I don't know if it's me or the tub, but it says that the microcellular emitters would soften the skin. I don't have to use anything like shower gels. But I was disappointed because I was fine when I came out of the water. In fact, I felt moisturized. But the next morning, it left me dry. It was not as advertised and it was disheartening. But otherwise, I love the walk-in tub. The fact that you don't have to worry about falling when you're getting in, you sit down and you have the massage. Although I would like to see it larger because I'm tall and thin and I feel a little tight when I'm sitting in there. Still, I have recommended Safe Step and everybody in the family is asking how I like it. I told them they need to get one.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I have total vestibular failure and I have tremendous ambulatory problems. I lost my inner ear function and I have trouble walking straight. I was afraid I was gonna hurt myself in the shower. Plus when I would take a shower, I would lay down in my regular tub, fill it up with water and enjoy the soaking. For those reasons, I thought I'd better get a walk-in tub to protect myself. I hate sitting in the Safe Step walk-in tub that long and letting it fill but still, I bathe more often with it. I would also tell others that if they need one and money is no consideration, to get a Safe Step walk-in tub. The sales representative I dealt with was outstanding. He was the very best. He was very professional and there was no pressure whatsoever. The installation went perfectly too.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Someone called the house and advertised Safe Step Walk-in Tubs. We set up an appointment and we liked all the features of the tub. The sales rep explained himself well and he let us know what would be the benefits of getting it. He was telling us that it was good for high blood pressure which my husband and I both have. He also let us know that we had a lifetime warranty which is good and a nice thing to have. Since we are now seniors, we don’t like to continuously go out to buy things and pay to have things repaired. We also liked the safety features of the tub and when we compared it to others that are in the area before we made a decision, we found that to be the best for us. So, we determined to get the Safe Step.

The installation went great and the installers did a good job. They came in, did what they were supposed to do, and put back everything that they removed to get the tub in. And if there were any concerns that we had, a scratch or this or that, they fixed that. So far, I like the sauna of the walk-in tub. Sitting on it is also easier now that we're getting old. Getting in and out of the tub is a great thing, too, because with our old bathtub, my husband and I had to purchase one of those tubes to put on the side to help pull ourselves up when we were coming out of it. So, the Safe Step is safer for old adults and even to young people. I was telling my nieces about it because you can still fit and shower or you can stand and shower on it.

Original review: May 21, 2018

I’ve seen Safe Step Walk-In Tubs on TV and then I called. In my first encounter with them, everything was up to my expectations so I just went with them. The sales rep presented his speech and came through real clear. He explained what our option was and the advantages that we could take over the tub itself and the warranties. We hit it off well and he sold me pretty much on it. I was up watching during the installation and it was done very professionally. The guy asked me as far as the hook-up to my main box, where I wanted it, how I wanted it, and was very courteous about it.

My favorite feature of the tub were the jets in it for it is very relaxing for me. I have less pain in my hips and back. I don’t feel as though I made a mistake toward making that initial move, especially at my age right now. It restored my dignity. I don’t have to have my wife helping me all the time. I have told my friends about it and they were very excited about Safe Step. A couple of them were interested and will probably take advantage of what I told them.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co. expert review by Shelley Webb

Providing American-made walk-in tubs since 2008, this company focuses on designs that provide consumers with in-home spa-like experiences. Built for comfort and safety, these walk-in tubs are available at several licensed service locations across the United States and Canada. The company is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee.

• Therapy options: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are outfitted with hydrotherapy, aerotherapy, chromatherapy and aromatherapy systems. The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines whirlpool and air massage for a full-feature spa experience.

• Personal Hygiene Therapy: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are outfitted with a Personal Hygiene Therapy system. This feature includes specially positioned jets on the seat of the tub to act as a bidet. To keep water fresh, tubs are also equipped with a Safe Water Ozone Cleaning System that purifies water through the tub’s jets.

• Aluminum frame: Most tubs have steel frames, but the frames of Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are made of aircraft-grade aluminum. The frame is lightweight, allowing for easier installation, without sacrificing durability.

• Ordering process: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs works with consumers through every step of the ordering process. They begin with a free quote and offer consultation for pricing and financing. Safe Step Walk-in Tubs also provides certified installation service.

• Discounts: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs offers special discounts for their products. With savings up to $1,500 and complimentary upgrades, Safe Step Walk-in Tubs works to save consumers money.

• Walk-in showers: Safe Step also sells walk-in shower suites. If you need to convert your shower into a safer, more convenient bathroom space, Safe Step can help you.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility, those with chronic pain, senior citizens and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co.
402 BNA Drive