4.3/5 (194 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Verified

I have a stage 4 cancer patient at my home who is 70 years old... We got Safe Step's walk-in tub and it's a very nice product. ... My mom uses it weekly, if not almost every day t...

Verified

We’ve really been enjoying our Safe Step. The installation went great. ...I expected a lot more mess. The installers were extremely neat. There was very little dirt, and the produ...

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
    • Two grab bars
    • Anti-slip flooring
    • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
    • A hand-held shower wand
    • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof a floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling and draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

All Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that's part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most standout luxury features are its Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System and its MicroSoothe Air Therapy System.

The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.

The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft.

MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, which allows for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub lets users also have the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual showerheads and all of the safety features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices vary depending on the model you choose and the difficulty of installation. Some of the issues that affect installation quotes are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job because of the difference in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs come in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQ

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?

Safe Step designs its walk-in tubs to fit into standard bathtub spaces. This means that if you have a regular bathtub, the walk-in tub will fit in the same area. Some walk-in tubs can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each user.

What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?

Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. The warranty covers manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters, blowers, parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.

What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?

A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. The company only sends installers that have been screened and are certified and fully insured. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete. Safe Step backs its installation process with a lifetime warranty on labor.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Its representatives determine pricing on a case-by-case basis, so you won’t know your total cost until you go through the free consultation. However, the quote you receive includes the installation cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: June 30, 2022

The representative that came out gave an excellent presentation to me and my husband. He worked with us, waiting for us to get approved for our credit, which we did. They put a $1,000 down payment and we were supposed to put another $1,000. But the rep said, “No, everything's set for the payment.” Then we didn't start paying it until after the tub was installed, which was great. So it was able to get me to prepare for that month it started. Safe Step also asks medical questions in reference to high blood pressure, which I have. So they do go through the list of things and when they check that off, it gives you a discount on that purchase.

The installation took almost all day. But they didn't have issues with putting in the tub. My husband works all day on his legs and he's 66. We have the jets with the tub so when he comes home, I tell him to go in the tub. He said, “If you turn the knob just on legs, it gets the back of your calves,” where he feels like he needs it. It's nice to have the safety of being able to sit down in the tub and not have to stand up. I have a bad knee on the left, and I have a bad foot on the right. I have an unsteady gait. With this tub, you can sit down or stand up when you want. We are enjoying our walk-in tub. It's good.

We need to get them to show me how to do the buttons on the tub again because I couldn't remember everything the installer said. When you press the automatic drain button, it does not work. It did work, but now it doesn't. You can move the thing by itself. However, it’s tension. I called for a service call last week and Safe Step called me but I have not received a call from the company who's supposed to come out and check it. We also got an issue with the lights. But my husband said the lights are working now. Other than that, the tub is functional. But for $20,000, I want my tub to work 100%. It was a lot of money.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2022

Safe Step's salesperson came out and did an excellent job of selling me on the walk-in tub. But there are a couple of things that I haven't heard from anybody since they installed. Other than that, the installers were very proficient and they did an excellent job. Everybody’s been extremely professional. I paid $19,500 for my Safe Step and it's a big investment. At the time I got it, I was debating whether to upgrade my truck or get something for my back. I'm glad that I got the Safe Step and I like the jets on it that are on my lower back.

But I have a 40-gallon hot water heater, which is only a year-and-a-half old, and it's not big enough because I run out of hot water about 10 gallons before I can start the thing working right. I've worked a way around this hot water problem though. I get all the hot water in, then I use the handheld shower, and I get nice and clean. Then I turn the heater on. It takes about 10 minutes and I can get more hot water. I also told my wife when I'm using it to not wash dishes or the clothes. But she can flush the toilet since that’s cold water.

Aside from that, the brochure that Safe Step gave me is for an older model. I got the rain shower way up top and I got the handheld shower, and all the instructions I have on that doesn't have those two items. And there are a couple of things that I don't know what they are, like the micro. I’ve got to call the main headquarters and see if they have an updated brochure because if you can operate this tub, you can fly a plane. It’s got a lot of features but there are only three that I don't know what they're for. My wife thinks she does, but the other day, she flooded the bathroom because she forgot to lock the door in.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I called Safe Step and the reps came out and assessed what they could do. They were perfect as far as telling us what we're going to have and how they're going to do it. They came in when they said they would be here and they came in with their crew. They took out the shower which we had in there. They even had to take parts of the doorframe off but you wouldn't know it. Everything is perfect. The tub fits right exactly where the shower was. They never touched my vanity place at all and didn't have to move anything. It's exactly the way it was except it's brighter, clean and white. So, I changed the colors to light blue as far as the rug. When they were done, I couldn't be happier. I never dreamed that they would get this done in one day and they cleaned up. Everything is beautiful.

Safe Step are wonderful people to do business with and you get exactly what they say. Everything is spotless and you wouldn't even know they were here. They had a close up this window and put a wall. My husband is singing his praises all the time. He loves the place, which is a good addition to the house. My husband loves the walk-in tub. He's in it all the time. It’s got so many jets. It is a miracle how the jets hit the right spot, especially around the knees. So, he's enjoying it because he's perpetually outside. I'm handicapped and when I got hurt, he built a whole ramp for me out the back, but that meant putting a door on and railings out there, and he just never stops. I love a shower and I like to wash my hair in the shower and I'm all rinsed off. But my husband loves it because his legs are bothering him. So, this is the best thing we could have done. It's everything that people could possibly want.

Original review: April 10, 2022

The sales rep was great, and installation was good. It took most of the day for them to put the tub in because they had a bit of trouble. They had to remove some stuff out of my bathroom and resituate things. I like the Safe Step tub. I love that I can sit up and use it, and I can do exercises in it. It's not a lot of room, but I can push myself up and down with my arm so I can get some arm exercises. I also like the showers in it as well as being able to sit in there, and it does whirlpool around. So it gives me some benefits. I like the jets on my back as well.

There's a couple of things that I wish were different though. Unfortunately, my right knee is affected, and that's the knee that hits the door. There's no jet that hits that leg, and I really need it to do that, but just being able to sit in hot water is a good thing. The other thing is, it’s much smaller than I thought it would be. If I weighed 110 pounds, that would be fantastic. I'd be really happy and I’d fit in it great, but I weigh 230 pounds. So walking in it, I open the door and I have to turn sideways, squeeze myself around the back of the door, then close it. It's same thing with getting out of it. I gotta get towards the front where the shower is, open the door, and squeeze my way around that door again to get out, which is a little inconvenient for me.

I wish the door was a little bigger. It also looks like there's a little splitting in the seam where they put it together and did the caulking, so I’ll have them come back out and fix that part. Other than that, it's a great tub. My grandkids, my family and I use it. Sometimes I have to wait till 2 o'clock in the morning to use it because everybody else has been in it.

Original review: March 7, 2022

We called Safe Step to see what it would cost to get a walk-in, so they made the appointment to come and talk. The guy came and he was here for hours. He gave a spiel and we had purchased the product before he left. All we wanted was an estimate and we were going to check different places, but nobody would give you an estimate without coming and talking to you. So, we didn't even get a second estimate. Plus, he guy wouldn't leave till we said yes. Then, it was about a week or so before they came back. But that was no problem because they had to almost take my bathroom apart to get it in. We knew it was going to happen and we have two bathrooms, so that was not a problem. The guys that came for the installation were marvelous and it took them all day. They were like part of the family.

I love the tub and I spent about an hour in it yesterday. But it doesn't take all that much water. I would use that much water in the shower, and I have used it as a shower also. But I love the fact that you can just sit and enjoy and, at the same time, get a body massage. I needed to spend more time getting to know the controls though. I was standing there and watching the installer. He already had the tub filled up before I went, then he would show me the different things to use. But he was just the installer and he didn't know everything about the tub.

On the first time I got in it, I flooded the bathroom. I didn't close the door all the way and I thought I had the lever down, which I pushed as far as it would go, but I needed to put a little weight behind it before and push it all the way. So, I thought that I closed it and started the water running. It started filling up and when I looked out, there was water all over my floor. But that was okay as I cleaned the floor same time I cleaned myself. Other than that, the walk-in is gorgeous. It's so pleasing and with the water massage, I don't think I wasted my money. It will also increase the value of the house if we ever sell it.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

I was not happy with the installation. They got the seat going the wrong way the first time. They said I ordered that, which was ridiculous. The way they had come in, I'd be facing a wall. It made no sense. The wall that they put up was very rough. I had to have somebody else come in and redo some of it. The quality of the tub is good, except they broke something downstairs in the plumbing. But it looks nice. My husband is pleased with it. I recently went in and it was nice. I thought that the water would come up higher on me. But it only goes to not even my waist.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

The rep came out and showed a little movie. Then the installers came out and put the tub in. But the installation didn't go well. When the tub was in, my husband was gonna take a bath. But the thermostat was put in wrong and it was opposite of what it should have been. If he thought he was having cold water, he had hot water. Then they came and turned that. They had to change the hose because the hot and the cold was opposite of what they should have been. It seems to be okay now.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

The tub leaked and my floor is ruined. They were here today and moved it so we could tear all the flooring out and replace it. The walls are black. The drywall and wood are molded. We got the tub July the 5th and we have never used it yet. First time my wife tried to use it, the water ran out the door. So, they had to come back and replace the door. At the same time, they found the leak and turned it off, but it already ran for a month. I talked to them Monday and they showed up today and took the tub out. We pulled a part of the floor up. It's completely soaked. It's got to be all completely replaced and the walls are gonna have to be replaced. I got a contractor coming tomorrow to see what the damage is gonna cost to fix the floor and walls. It happens, they're getting it taken care of and that's the main thing.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

They came in and showed us the product and what it would look like. The tub is very good. I like the heat and the bubblers. It's good for me because I just had surgery on my feet.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

The man that did the installation was very knowledgeable and I was happy. It was an excellent job.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information