4.48/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Safe Step Walk-In Tubs, we take pride in dedicating the most safe and comfortable walk-in tubs and showers for our customers. All of our products are fitted with the industry’s most accessible low step-in, and are equipped with the best hydrotherapy systems to help relieve pain, enhance mobility and reduce stress.

Every Safe Step product is manufactured in the U.S., allowing us to continue our legacy of providing lower and more affordable pricing than any of our competitors. We believe in our products so much, we back each walk-in tub and walk-in shower with the most extensive Lifetime Warranty in the industry. With locations across the U.S. and Canada, our team of customer support and technicians are always on call to help you and your family.

We care about providing enjoyable and safe bathing experiences to those in need, that we created an initiative in 2012 to donate walk-in tubs to anyone in need of a safer bathing solution, who could otherwise not afford on their own.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co. Video

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

1105 Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

The tub is wonderful but the cost of financing can make the tub in the end cost 30K if you only pay the minimum amount due. I wish I had shopped around more in hindsight. I also was charged more for things that were never done like removing the toilet and widening the door. They said I would get a credit back on those things and I never did. I gave up on trying to get the credit back. I would recommend people check out at least three tub companies before purchasing. I only checked one and regret it. The tub is wonderful but is it worth 30K... I don't think so. When you purchase and if you finance ask yourself if you can pay more than the minimum.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I bought a tub 2 years ago. It did not work properly from day 1 when you turned on. The jet's fine turning them off was a problem... I have used the tub about 4 times in 2 years... They did not respond at all to my complaints about the switch. I decided to give it one more try... Started filling the tub and it leaked water out on the floor so I drained it and starting trying to get in touch with Safe Step. We emailed and called several times... It took them over a month to reply and then we were being put on the list for repair.

Another month went by and finally someone came to the house... He was here for about 10 minutes and said he didn't have the part but would order it. 2 months later no part so we started calling again. Their answer was it was shipped in August. Well it's October and no part and it's not fixed. However they did tell me it would be about a thousand dollars to fix it so this is my review. It's very overpriced, if you pay cash as we did you own it. No customer service at all... I wish I had my money back and it was gone. Thank you. 80 year old male. Sorry we got ripped off. Beware.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I saw Safe Step Walk-in Tubs and I called them. Their sales rep was very friendly and we had a good rapport. Their installation team was friendly as well and I could watch whenever I wanted when they installed it. Plus, I’m 76 years old and my knees are bad and I like that I could get in and out of the tub. That was the main reason for getting it. My husband especially likes the handrail. I also like the jets but I would like to have them on the side. I'm top-heavy and I wish I could get some penetration on the shoulders instead of the back. That's what I learned from having this tub.

So, I'm watching the TV man to try to find a tub with more jets and see if I could get that when I do it in my house in Richmond, Virginia. Also, I wish the seat was a little lower because when I sit, my shoulders were out of the water. I couldn’t get it over my shoulder unless I stoop down in the lower part. On the other hand, my husband has a back problem and the back penetration was good for him. I would definitely recommend Safe Step.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I have a stand-alone shower and I wanted a tub where I can sit down in case I slipped or fell. I’ve been looking at Safe Step Walk-in Tubs for a long time and I saw some ads on TV. It was a good experience dealing with their sales rep. He was extremely nice. He explained everything thoroughly and showed me all kinds of information. The installers were very polite and nice as well. They had quite a job, but they did great. I’ve had the Safe Step tub for more than a month now and I like everything about it. My favorite features are the heated seat and the whirlpool. The whirlpool leaves me a little easier to maneuver. Also, it's relaxing and it helps with any kind of stress, pain or muscle train. I would recommend Safe Step. They were very thorough and definitely did a great job.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

We had the Safe Step salesman come out and he told us how well the tub is made. It seemed a lot better than others and it's pretty darn solid. It was pleasant to deal with the salesman. Their installers were great and they did everything. We had a problem with a leaky door, but they knew what the problem was and fixed it right away. The lighting is nice and you can set it to whatever mood you like, and the microbubbles are neat too. It all works fine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co.?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I’ve been wanting a tub for a good while and I finally decided to get a Safe Step and I'm very happy with it. I get around better and I like the marbles, the back sprays, and all the foot washes. Also, I have back problems and the jets that come on the back help quite a bit. The sales rep was very proficient, telling me what it's all about and the installation team was great too. Safe Step is a great product and anybody looking for tubs should consider it first.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I'm very pleased with my Safe Step Walk-in Tub so far. The only thing is it takes so long to fill up. I'm not a long tub person yet, so I've been taking quick showers and I would like to get used to this long tub business. I got one of those $1,500-off coupons from some kind of magazine and I've always wondered about them so I just called. Then I did it. Jennifer came to see me and she was very, very nice, She did everything she's supposed to do and I have no complaints. She showed me sample videos and described everything about it. Then she did all the measurements and decided what they needed or didn't need to do.

The installers did a very good job and were very, very nice. I had a little dead space, but when the men came, they were not so sure it's a dead space. They thought maybe some of my piping that goes up to the roof might be there. They climbed up the attic and went down under the floor just to make sure it was dead space. It turned out Jennifer and I were right about it being just dead space.

They set it up and did a nice job. I was worried about the ceiling cause I didn't want this messed up look in my ceiling just in case they cut all that dead space up. They dropped it down from the ceiling and were able to make it look really cute. They said that they've had to maneuver around that in different houses and had come up with ideas on what they can do to keep from ruining somebody's house. The only thing is where it jutted out on the floor. I have little pretty tiles in the bathroom, and they had to cut out the tiles 'cause the tub wouldn't fit. It left a little empty place on the floor where they had to cut the wall out. I'm hoping I can something from Lowes to fill in that little place because one of these days I might sell this house. I'd get too old and I'm not going to be able to live here for all of my life.

I like the light. I like to turn the lights on and just sit there. I can watch them while the tub's filling up. The first few times I got in there, I didn't even do the jets because I was afraid. Then I did the one where it gets bubbly and I liked it. I don't like sitting down on anything cold so I like the power seat. I think I am going to really like it better as I get used to it and as I learn to slow down. As a whole, I like it and it's just going to be very beneficial. If they can afford it, this is the perfect thing for people who like tub baths as they get older. I grew up taking tub baths and I don't care for showers at all. However, I know I could use the shower part of it if I was in a bit of a hurry. It's nice to be able to know that you can get in and out of that thing without getting stuck in there.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I'm a veteran and the sales representative from Safe Step said that they would take care of all the paperwork. They do it for veterans all the time. But it's been a couple of months now and I haven't heard back from them on that. They installed the tub and put up a grab bar, a mirror insulation, and a shower curtain. I've been in it, and I fairly like it, but I'm having trouble getting the lights to work. I'm pretty dissatisfied right now. They were fast to put the tub in and to want the money, but the installation is not completed yet. And the man who's supposed to come next week will finish it. I contacted their customer service three times and the representative scheduled for someone to come tomorrow and then he called back and canceled it until next week.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

It shows that all of your VA paperwork was sent to you after installation, at the end of August. I am going to FedEx you another copy today. I do not see where you have contacted our Service Department on your issues and there is no Service Ticket open for you. Part of the problem could be, you are talking to the installation people instead of the Service Dept. Our Service Dept number is 800-989-5101, for future problems. I am going to open up a Service Ticket and have someone call you ASAP.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We were impressed with Safe Step's presentation. Their installers were very good and neat. We had one minor problem, but they came out right away and took care of it. We are very happy with it and enjoy the ease of getting in and out.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We are satisfied with our Safe Step Walk-in Tub. Our favorite feature is the jets because they have an effect on our bodies. However, we had a problem with the department that's in charge of installation. The guy that installed the tub thought that the job was finished when he left. The shower part did not work properly and it just trickled out. We called several times before we could get someone to come take care of it. We started calling four days after it was installed and it did not get fixed until a month later. We were more than satisfied with the salesman and the person who did the initial installation but we would not recommend Safe Step because of the way the business office handled the follow-up.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

I am so sorry that you had issues getting warranty work fixed. I do see a service ticket was created by your Safety Specialist and that the work was complete. I want to make sure that you have our Service Department number so you can get more immediate help in the future, or at least a number to follow up on status. 1-800-989-5101

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

About a month ago, I got a Safe Step Walk-in Tub. It had a free heating sheet and I like its colors and bubbles. Also, their sales rep and installers were very courteous. They were very clean as far as putting down things that catch dust. I feel a lot safer now. I'm an invalid and I get in the tub easily. I'm very satisfied. The tub was a good thing all-around.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We’ve had the Safe Step tub for a little over a month now. Their sales rep was very good and he knew his merchandise. He was not high pressure at all. He just gave us the facts. The installers were here about five after 8:00 in the morning and they were very cautious in covering the floor in and out of the front door. They did a beautiful job and cleaned up everything just the way we expected them to. We’re very pleased. They were gone by about 4:00. I was really thrilled with the tub. We like its microbubble feature. My husband has very dry ankles from diabetes and other health issues and the tub has helped his legs so much by exfoliating them. He also loves it for his severe back problems. It feels so good when he has his back jets on. Also, I had hip replacement surgery and can get into a regular bathtub but can’t get out. This Safe Step tub had enabled me to have a bath. We’re very satisfied customers and we’ve already talked about it to friends.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I'm not really satisfied with the whole Safe Step deal. They have a fine product but they don’t tell the pricing upfront. There seem to be a pressure that if I didn’t make up my mind, I will lose $300, $400, $500. The sales rep was real secretive about the price. The first question he asked was, “Well, how much can you afford for this product?” And he said, “Well, how much do you think one of these will go for?” And before I can get in there, my wife shouted a price and so immediately right there, he knew where his cushion was. He worked with that number instead of upfront pricing. If people knew how much it was going to cost them, I really doubt that they would sign up because it’s expensive. It’s like buying a brand new car and I don’t think that it should cost that much.

Everything’s already installed and the installation was fine. I’ve tried it a couple times and it got a little bit too warm for me because I got COPD and type 2 diabetes and everything’s kind of a pain to a head and giving me panic attacks. But my wife’s happy with it. She has fibromyalgia and it helps her relax, soothe her muscles and take the pain away a little bit. It is effective to a point but they’re not upfront about the volume of water that it takes. I recently just reread the stuff and it says it takes approximately 72 gallons.

Right now, it drains my water tank and they won’t put in a 50-gallon tank into my structure. I had to have it replumbed and they raised it up and adjusted the valve so they can get a bit more hot water out of the system. I had to spend $1,600 for the plumbing on top of what I spent for the tub. The salesman supposedly gave me a discount but they can have a whole lot better deal to have upfront pricing. Now he got me in debt. The workmanship, the product, and everything is a good deal but it’s the overall expense that I got a problem with, and I’m going to have a problem with for several years.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I saw the Safe Step tub advertised in AARP and had mine since the 2nd of August. Their salesperson put up the figures and everything else but one time, when I called their Nashville office, it took them a couple of weeks to return my call. Then Steve, the installer, had to come back because I had a question on the caulking in the back. I also made a second call several weeks ago to have him come out again because the main access panel is loose. They told me that all I had to do was press it and it'll go back, but it's not going back. Steve then called me and said he could come on the 9th or 10th of September but that was my birthday weekend so I told him not to come. He said he had a real busy week and I haven't heard from him since. But the overall experience was very good and I’ve recommended Safe Step to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

We had a jet tub before and it was so high. My wife and I were in a motorcycle accident three years ago and we had to go to Safe Step to make it feasible for both of us to get in a tub in the years to come. Their step wasn't as high as the other ones, so it was easy for us to pick out what we wanted. I like the cleansing feauture, the microbubbles and the leg and the back jets. Plus, the tub is very easy to clean and it doesn't take long to fill up or to drain. It's been a very pleasant experience and I wouldn't trade the tub for anything in the world.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

The Safe Step salesman sat in my dining room and told me about walk-in bathtubs, and I was impressed. He seemed to know a lot about their product. It's not necessary for me to have a walk-in tub at this point in my life, but I was anticipating. I've had to use it as a shower right after it was installed because I had someone come in and took over my shower room. So, I had to learn how to use it as a shower. I don't have the patience to use it as a tub because I have to wait seven minutes for it to fill. And the only way to do it now, when I do use it, is to crawl over the side after it's full and then I crawl out. I don't wait for it to empty because it's just too much.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

When we saw Safe Step's infomercial on TV, my wife called them to see where it would fall out. They have a really good salesman who came here and sold us the tub. The installation guys were very knowledgeable. They clean up after themselves and they were also really quick. My wife loves our walk-in tub. She had issues with her feet and she thinks it's a little bit better since we got the tub. I got it for her, but I've also been in it once, so far. There were a couple of times when the drain wouldn't work right. When you pull up on the drain, the stopper wouldn't come up because there was a lock on the stud that's on the stopper and it was loose. I didn't know what happened with it but I adjusted it and tightened it up, and it was fixed.

I was also going to call Safe Step about the baseboard that goes at the bottom of the tub. They put a white one on instead of an almond color, which is the color of the tub. It looks kind of odd. Other than that, we're happy with the tub and I'm glad we did it and I hope we'll have many years of trouble-free service. I would recommend it, too. And, if I can get somebody to call my salesman and buy one, he said he'd give me $500.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Safe Step sent a representative to our house that told us all about their product. Their installers were nice and we liked them. Everything went smoothly. I like the hydrating bubbles of the tub. I'm glad Safe Step is out there and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Safe Step got all the bells and whistles that my wife and I wanted in a walk-in tub. A friend of mine told us about them and we liked their warranty. We also had an excellent interaction with their sales rep and they're a lot better than these fly-by-night people.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My wife handed me a Safe Step Walk-in Tubs advertisement in our magazine, and I liked the mini jets. Plus, the salesman was good. We also worked out a deal involving a shower head and surround for our other bathroom. We just had to come together on a price on that. The installers were in and out in a day. They did a good job, but I should have changed the tub out before getting started on the shower. I had put it in for guests and for the family that's here and the features all work well. The step-in worked out good, but I should have thought that a little bit more about my second bathroom where I did my tub.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I like that the Safe Step tub massages my legs and feet. But the gasket on it was loose and I had to ask their rep about it. At first, when I turned the back things on, water would shoot up all over the bathroom. I was told to turn the little knobs down and it worked.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

We liked the product and the presentation of the salesman. The water jets, microbubbles, lights and the heated seat are all great. It came with a remote control but it only worked for a week or two. We've asked them for another one and they said they'd mail it to us but we're still waiting after a couple of weeks later. Other than that, I love the tub. I take a bath in there instead of showers, and it's like having a mini-jacuzzi.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My husband and I are getting up in age. I’m 74 and he’s in his 60s. We were having problems getting in and out of our old tub so we decided to go for the Safe Step tub. Mike, the salesman, came to the house and was very thorough. He spent three hours explaining everything and showing us videos on his laptop. When they put the Safe Step tub in, there was a problem with dripping and though they were real busy people, they came back as fast as they could and fixed it. It works good now and the jets feature is my favorite. Also, with Safe Step, we don’t have to step over our tub and take a chance on falling. They were late in sending the coupon book that details how we would pay for it monthly with the bank but we finally got it today. Besides that, it was a very good experience.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

My roommate saw Safe Step on TV and they could get to me quicker than the other one so I chose them. The rep tried his best to give us a long and drawn-out program. We wanted the best he had to offer and we wanted to get a check and be done with it. But he kept trying to tell us about everything. He’s a very nice man but we had other things to do. But the installers were awesome. Somebody said the installation could take as much as three days and we were dreading it. But the installers got in here and they got it done in a few hours’ time.

I had a knee surgery and I wasn't able to get in my regular tub so I went for quite a while without a good soak. Since the installation of the walk-in tub, I feel better about myself because I'm cleaner. We love the jets and the lights but my favorite feature is the bidet. And then my mom gave me some headphones to use in there but they keep cutting on and off. I thought there was a short in the headphones but when I use them outside of the tub, they're fine. Also, I didn't realize the jets moved freely and I thought that was a problem. A rep got back with me right away and was willing to come and see if he could help so I was impressed by that. I would recommend Safe Step to anybody.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We had the bathroom remodeled and took Safe Step a lot of time. We reused the shower but not the tub. Their reps answered all our questions and the team that came out here got it installed for us.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

When my shower came, the bottom part was warped. I had to return it and wait a whole month before I got it back. The new one was all good but the other problem I had was that it slides even if it was not supposed to. However, the installation team was great. They were very courteous even when they came back. They let me know what they were doing. It was a walk-in shower and it has bars I can reach. I don’t need help in getting in and out it. I'm satisfied with it and I would recommend it to anybody that’s handicapped or has arthritis. It's great.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The Safe Step rep was very good and the installer was wonderful, too. However, the tub leaked. We talked to the salesperson, and I put a stop on a check that I wrote because I didn’t want to pay for it if it was going to leak. So, the installer called me the next day, and he came out the day after that. He was at the house for two hours, fixed it, and then it worked fine. I was highly satisfied with the way I was treated all the way from the purchase to the installation. I haven’t been in the tub but my wife likes it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Safe Step was the first company I looked at and when I looked at the other companies online, they did not seem to have the things that I wanted. The Safe Step sales rep was informative but it was hard to reach him after I signed the contract. I had ordered cream but I wanted the white. I called the main number instead and they took care of the problem. The installers were very good. It took them most of the day, but they did a fine job. I like the foot massage and the microbubbles, but the microbubbles takes forever to fill the tub. The cost was also too much for what I get.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

The sales representative explained the Safe Step product well and everything was made in the US. The installers did an excellent job and we've used the tub twice. My favorite is the circulation and the small bubbles or mist, but I have to pay attention when I turn on the circulation for the back or I'll be throwing water all over the place. Safe Step people are excellent to work with.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We were thinking about purchasing a walk-in tub so we called and got some information from a bunch of companies. Safe Step was the best one that gave us more information on any of the walk-in tubs. We love our Safe Step and Andrew, the rep we worked with, was nice. He got right on the ball. They kept giving us a bunch of calls that they'll get to me. I called Andrew and told him that I have a mess and the installers haven't come out yet or called. He called me back and he said that somebody was going to be calling me within two hours and they did. The installers got out here the next day and looked at it.

The installation team was right on it. They talked to us when they finished installing and they also told us how to use the walk-in tub. My mother in law had back and knee surgery, and she’s got a pinched nerve and a sciatic nerve. She gets down in the walk-in tub with all the jets going and it hits every spot that it needs to. My husband had a collarbone surgery and the tub helps him in the back area. I’m getting ready to have knee surgery, so it does help relax the nerves and joints. And then my son, who's 18, got in and loves it. He also has muscle aches since he works on a Van’s Foods company and he throws out meat. The tub could be a little cheaper but other than that, we love it and we already recommended some people outside or inside our family that would love to try it.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co.
402 BNA Drive