2. Homeowners

(800) 692-1935
Get Started
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.39/5
$1500 off your purchase of a new Walk-in Tub.*
*Partner terms and conditions apply.

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Video
BOTTOM LINE

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

PROS
  • Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
  • Financing available
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Discounts available
CONS
  • Only 10 possible hydro-jets
  • No pricing online

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

I have a stage 4 cancer patient at my home who is 70 years old... We got Safe Step's walk-in tub and it's a very nice product. ... My mom uses it weekly, if not almost every day that she goes in, soaks, and gets relief to her joints. It's been a very impressive product.

We’ve really been enjoying our Safe Step. The installation went great. ...I expected a lot more mess. The installers were extremely neat. There was very little dirt, and the product looks great. I love the water jets. I also love the showerhead.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Call Now Toll Free (800) 692-1935 Get Started
Call Now Toll Free
(800) 692-1935

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
  • Two grab bars
  • Anti-slip flooring
  • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
  • A hand-held shower wand
  • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof a floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling and draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

All Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that's part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most standout luxury features are its Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System and its MicroSoothe Air Therapy System.

The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.

The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft.

MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, which allows for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub lets users also have the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual showerheads and all of the safety features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices vary depending on the model you choose and the difficulty of installation. Some of the issues that affect installation quotes are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job because of the difference in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs come in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQ

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?
Safe Step designs its walk-in tubs to fit into standard bathtub spaces. This means that if you have a regular bathtub, the walk-in tub will fit in the same area. Some walk-in tubs can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each user.
What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?
Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. The warranty covers manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters, blowers, parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.
What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?
A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. The company only sends installers that have been screened and are certified and fully insured. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete. Safe Step backs its installation process with a lifetime warranty on labor.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Its representatives determine pricing on a case-by-case basis, so you won’t know your total cost until you go through the free consultation. However, the quote you receive includes the installation cost.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: March 16, 2021

I started looking at walk-in tubs because I'm a sickle cell patient. I have Geriatric Onset Sickle Cell, and I contracted it because I had a blood transfusion. Nothing stopped the pain when I go to the hospital. One time, when I had the pain, my daughter said, "We're gonna take you to the spa, and put you in the whirlpool. And we're going to give you some scents and all that stuff and do some homeopathic stuff and make you feel." I went to that, and I came out immediately feeling without pain. I said, "You know, that tub is wonderful."

So, then, I started looking further. I had a tub at home, but it was just a regular Whirlpool, and when I saw this thing with the aromatherapy dispenser in it and a seat that you couldn't fall out of, I said, "You know, I enjoyed that spa tub so much and it made me feel so much better. I'll probably do better with homeopathic stuff rather than taking all that medicine that doesn't stop it anyway." When my shoulder and arm started to ache, I got in my Safe Step tub. I did the aromatherapy thing out. That misting thing helps, too.

Almost every morning I have some kind of pain because I'm 77 years old and instead of going to the shower, I take my bath in the tub. It still use the same amount of water and I feel better. So, I've invested because the insurance company wouldn't pay for it. I said, "I don't care whether I have to pay for this tub or not. I'm gonna have this tub because it makes me feel better." It takes away hours of pain. I fell on one of my knees before, so sometimes that knee has arthritis in it, which makes it really hard for me to walk if the knee, the shoulder and arm are hurting. I get in that tub and every morning when I get up, I'm feeling good because I took that tub the night before. I love it.

As far as the installation, the plumbers did a perfect job of installing and the water people did great. But when they applied for inspectors, the city sent the inspectors but they don't tell you they're coming. So, if you ain't home, they just stick a thing on the door and go. The company has to pay again for them to come. They did that twice and that was because they wouldn't tell me when they were coming. I didn't know whether to be home or not. They think everybody who wanted those tubs are just sitting there waiting until they come to inspect. Other than that, the installation is perfect. The scents come out right and everything works.

The salesman owns one of those installation companies. I noticed him because he was a little like he was as old as I am. He was such a nice man. He was so impressive. He didn't hard sell me because I told him, "Before you come in here, I want this tub. I'm just trying to figure out if I can buy it and will the insurance company cover." When they didn't want to finance it, he got on the phone and he called some people and he said, "Okay, you good to go. You're gonna get financed." I was happy about that. He did make sure that the company financed me and I'm fine, that payment isn't gonna hurt me at all.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I live in Tennessee and when I saw that Safe Step tubs were built in Tennessee, that interested me. I trust Pat Boone and he was doing an ad for Safe Step, so that impressed me. I looked at every video on their website that they had. I went through the whole thing and was impressed by that too. I called and the salesman came. I had a little uneasiness about him. I kept wanting to ask questions and he kept telling me to let him finish. It was as if he had a spiel that he had to get through and he could not stop to talk to me about my questions, which put me off a little bit. But he sold me the tub so he must have done a lot right to get me to sign the dotted line because it was so much more expensive than I expected.

He did a good job but I told him I wanted to buy a toilet along with the tub. He gave me a price and then, he gave me another price and it was a lot better. He had not included the toilet but it was a mistake. When I looked at the paperwork, I was thinking where the toilet was. So, I called him and I had told him that we've got to have the round toilet and not the long, oblong toilet because the door wouldn't close. He ordered the wrong one and so, I was about 10 days without being able to close the door to my bathroom.

When I called him about it, he got frustrated with me when I was talking about getting this thing switched out. He wanted me to call Jagger, the one that organizes what teams go where. I asked the sales rep if he could help me with it because I was a little hesitant to make a stink about things. He pushed me off so I wasn't happy with him by the end of the whole thing. I said that I couldn’t believe I spent $17,000 on a tub and he was not going to help me deal with this mistake that he made. But the installers were wonderful. I live in a home that was built in 1953 and it was built by a man that wasn't a contractor. So, dealing with an old house like this can be challenging. The installers did a miracle by getting the tub in. It took 11 hours but they were so patient.

I sent an email to Jagger praising these guys. It was Ben, Cliff, and Tanner. They worked hard and they were clean. They played very soft, Christian music. If they took a smoke break, I never saw them and I never smelled it. They only stopped for about five minutes to eat lunch. They worked so hard and got it all in. They had to take everything out to work the tub in to this little corner of the bathroom. They did it every bit, were kind, patient and helped me to have everything put back.

I love the tub. I took a bath this morning. The microbubbles were the things that I was the most excited about. On the second bath that I took, there was a screeching noise with the microbubbles and I turned it off. When they came to switch out my toilet, I told Ben about it and Ben checked it out. He said it was malfunctioning and he would need to come and replace that. I have not contacted anybody about that. I'm waiting to see if Ben does it or if I need to do something. But all the rest of it is fine and it's a fantastic machine.

I was hesitant with getting the tub because I'm so heavy. I was not sure I could close that door once I'm in there. The salesman came up with the idea that I could check that out before they installed it. This was something that the salesman did which was good. He called the boss and the boss okayed that they would bring the whole thing here and let me try it out before they installed it. When the guys came, they brought the tub in and put it in my front room and I got into it, and checked that I could close that door. It closed fine. They took it back out and then started the process in preparing to install it. So, that was a huge deal with me. It put my mind at ease because I had this horrible feeling that I was going to buy this thing and I was not going to be able to get into it.

I'm over 300 pounds and for somebody my size to be able to use the tub and be that comfortable is amazing. So that's one of the best parts of the whole thing. I bought it because my hip was injured and I could not lift my leg to get in a bathtub. It was what made me look for a walk-in tub in the first place. I've given out Safe Step’s website to people.

Original review: July 8, 2020

A man called me on the phone and I also got a card in the mail explaining the Safe Step walk-in tub. I called and talked to him. In no time, he was here at the house and we went through all the stuff. We looked at it and looked at the construction of it. It looked like it was the best construction. Based on what the salesman told me, the product is made in Tennessee. He worked for Tennessee and installers all come from there. It sounded like a better deal to me.

The installers were really great. They surprised me in lifting the 200-pound tub and getting it in here. You have to come in the kitchen door and lift it up over the kitchen counter then into the bathroom. They had to lift if over the vanity there. They got it over the place. It was just amazing to me that they could lift that thing and move it like they did. They also cleaned great especially with the virus stuff going on here. I had no apprehensions about them coming into the house. They seemed pretty good and healthy when they started.

I had to tear out the door jambs and everything to get the walk-in tub in here. The installers took out the doorcases, a 2x4 framing, and sheetrock. They got the walk-in tub in and set it up and running. But some of that stuff they did needed to be sanded down and the installer said he'd come by and do it. Having somebody be here if he calls or makes an appointment ahead of time, we can probably do it. But I've been getting my own doctor's appointments and my stepdaughter has her doctor's appointments in another direction and there's been a lot going with the three of us. There are times that nobody's here. We're gonna work it in with the repair guys.

I don't know when the guy is coming back to sand down the wall where the sheetrock was replaced. He told me they have another customer about 30 miles from here. He had do some follow-up over there and he'd come back by here and sand down the wall where the sheetrock went in and the door jamb. He said he was coming back so I trusted him to do. They're at Richmond which is about 80 miles from here. As for the paint, I have to do that. I understand that part upfront.

At first, I was not completely satisfied with my walk-in tub. I have not filled the tub up completely with water and have not tried all the jets yet. Neither has my wife or her daughter. I've been using the hand shower mostly. I have a bad hip and I have to sit down. I can't stand up and do it with an overhead shower. I have turned it on and just got wet by it then went to the other handheld shower. I seem to be getting along all right with that now. I made a couple of adjustments in the way I sit in there. I've been able to get my back cleaned and doing it by myself.

I haven't filled the tub completely with water yet, so I haven't done the monthly maintenance thing because there had been no air or water in the jets. I brought the water up to my knees one time and used the jets on the back of my legs and my feet. I just hadn’t had the time to get in there and settle down. There's been a lot going on here. I also haven't discussed much about the walk-in tub with my wife's daughter. She had a little trouble understanding the control at first, but I think I got it going all right on that. My stepdaughter works fine with the shower.

She'll be coming back home and maybe she'll settle down and we can discuss it a little better. There's no problem keeping it clean. The curtain has no problem too. But I haven't got the first water bill since the tub was installed so I don't know how much that's gonna increase on me. I am retired and on a budget. And I can't stand a whole lot of increases right now.

I put the walk-in tub on my homeowner's loan which is the biggest thing. It is only 3.5 interest. I got a discount for doing that because it was like a cash deal. I also got a good discount being a senior and being retired military. I got the price down to where I think it was reasonable. But I’m not sure how long it's gonna take me to pay it off.

We have the tub for safety reasons at home and it's for all three of us. It was very tough for me getting in my old tub by myself. I could hardly get in there. I have a right hip that's in a bad shape. I can hardly walk. The doctor said if I lose 25 pounds, he would put me in a new hip joint. That's where I'm in the process now. That was one of the big steps about getting this Safe Step tub. My wife is having a little bit of trouble too. She's 77. It's the same for my stepdaughter. She's 53. She had her hip joints replaced. She had a lot of serious injuries and a lot of arthritis had been setting in, so the walk-in tub has helped her tremendously by getting in safely.

As far as cost goes, it was outrageous. But I'm happy with my walk-in tub and even the hand shower as it uses less water than what I was using. I used to turn the shower on, leave it on, and sit on a chair to do my legs and everything. The shower stayed on more or less the whole time I was in there. Now, it's just on while I'm using the hand shower. I get wet down doing my shampoo.

If I get in there and start doing a full bathtub thing, it’ll use a lot more water. But the benefits of using the jets and everything, it helps with my arthritis. Once I get a hip replaced, it's gonna help more when I'm doing my therapy stuff to get the body back in shape. It would be so much better there after I've had that surgery. Looking down the road, it's gonna be a big help.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us, Leroy! Thank you for letting us know, and enjoy!

Original review: May 22, 2020

The installation was done very well. The crew was good and very cooperative. They got the work done in a hurry. Everything was neat. They did a good job but there are some things I had or questions happened, and I want to get somebody over here to go over the tub operation again. The engineering of the situation could be improved and I wanted somebody talking to me about that. And I wanted to get more information about the operation. I didn't realize that that drain comes on so late. That wasn't explained to me.

When I called the service, the woman was a hell of a woman. I tried to tell her what was going on and she tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and why was I calling. I was calling for information. So, I said I wanted to talk to somebody and then she said she would get me one. Then she put me on that recording where you have all that music in the background. I waited and waited until I just hung up. I was not very happy about that. It's not good for Safe Step to have somebody who acts like she did, when somebody tries to call about some problems.

I've used the tub about three times now. I love soaking and everything. I've got leg problems and that was great. The tub helps me out with that. The delivery of water, for one thing, is slow in some cases. The two shower things aren't working right. I finally got it to work, so I get the lower shower to work. And I like the design changed a bit. I didn't know of that hot water but I got that working right. So, I got a lot of it going. Everything's going pretty well. And the other thing was after I took a bath, it was 45 minutes later, all of a sudden, that water clear out that the tub has goes on. I thought something was wrong with the motor or something like that.

That's when I called the rep. I was just trying to find out something about it. But nobody told me it was going to take 45 minutes before the pump comes on to get rid of the water. I started to realize that after I did it a second time. Somebody else who has a tub said something to me about it. It just seems strange to wait 45 minutes to get any water left in the system out of there. You think it would happen within maybe 5 or 10 minutes of the tub completely being drained. So what I wanted was to get somebody back here who I could talk to about some improvement on the design, with the shower curtain and so forth, and the lips of the tub. There's a problem with it because of the way the plumbing goes. But still, there could be things that could be done in the design. I'm an industrial mechanical engineer, and that's what I was trying to tell that woman. I know a lot about engineering and design.

For example, the two-shower system that Safe Step has. I like the handheld shower. I use it all the time. But this other shower is much too high. That's one of the things I did not like. The way the plumbing was designed coming into it, you have a splash thing against the wall and against the back of the tub, but not in the front. So, you take the shower, you can't get the curtain around the shower, so that shower can just splash out and roll right onto the floor of the bathroom. That's the design problem of whoever the engineers were. That's why I want to talk to somebody I can point these things out, that can improve their product.

I like to get the crew that helped put the tub in for me first because the guy and I understood each other. And I can talk to him a little about it because he installs these things all the time. I like to get his views on what my thoughts are. I made myself clear about what I would like to do, what I would like to get. Because the tub is great. There are some things that they just didn't think about. I wanna help myself and I wanna help Safe Step because the tub is a great idea.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I've been wanting a walk-in tub for 15 years, or longer. I was wanting to buy one many years ago but at the time, we decided it wasn't in our budget to do that. So I have done some homework for a while on them. I had looked at the Jacuzzi brand earlier but it seemed like every week, I would get something in the mail or see something in a flyer somewhere about Safe Step. It seemed like Safe Step was flashing in front of my face every time I turned around. It seemed like it was an omen that I had to call and check it out so I did and then I liked their warranty program. I just hope it all stands up to what they say if I have any issues.

The sales rep was great. He answered all of my questions but I didn't really have very many questions either because he answered them before I asked them. I've gotten a new tape measure out of it too because he went off and left the tape measure. I called him before I thought he was too far but he told me to just keep it. He said it was a bad habit he has and that he buys them by the dozen because he does it all the time. The installation team did good as well. We've had a couple of issues but that wasn't their problem. It was my plumbing issue. They came to put the tub in one day and they had to come back the next week. My house is 40 years old and before they put the tub in, they wanted a plumber to come in and look at the drain, which I appreciated. They wanted to make sure it was draining well and it was easier to do it when it was all open than after the tub was put in. So we got put back about a week.

They also didn't get to complete the job 100% but it's not their fault. They happened to be the first step of remodeling this bathroom. I was aiming to have the bathroom more torn out before they got here. But the guy that's been doing all my work has not been able to be here for almost two months because of other issues with all this virus stuff going around. The guys had to do more tearing out than they were hoping they would have to do. So they did good.

They also couldn't put the handrail on the wall or the baseboard that goes across the front. They said that they weren't gonna put that in because a new floor was coming in and they didn't wanna put some of those finishing touches until all the new tile work got done because it was just gonna have to come off. So they didn't do some of the caulking work. So they left all the stuff here and showed me the instructions. I guess they would leave those normally so the guy that comes could finish it out for me.

I haven't been able to use the shower part of it but we have used the little handheld a little bit and I always wonder if the microject is working right. It's where it's supposed to put the air to help clean your skin where you supposedly don't have to use soap. On the little video they left that shows a girl doing exercise in the tub and in the way the guy talked to me, you could always see a cloud forming when that would come in. So if you do that very first thing, I can see the cloud coming in. But if you do the water jet first and then do the microjet last, I don't see any cloud.

I was under the impression that there wasn't an order, that you could do them however you wanna do them. If you wanna do the micro thing first, middle or last, it would always work. But is there a sequence that you should do those things? There is also a little knob inside the tub that adjusts the pressure against the jets but I don't know if that works for sure because when I turn it, I don't see no difference. But overall, I enjoy the tub.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I’m a senior with arthritis that makes getting out of a standard bath tub impossible! Being able to fully submerge in that warm water is so helpful & now I can still enjoy my bathtub independently. Being able to have a soaking bath before beds really helps my pain levels and makes it possible to get to sleep. The tub is very comfortable and easy to enter and exit. I can also take my showers with the hand held attachment. I could also have the shower attachment mounted on the wall if I wanted.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Whoever in the future gets an install, they need to know that it's gonna be loud. With this sledgehammer thing going through the wall, we weren't aware of all that extra noise that would take place. I tried the tub once. I'm 5'8", 220. If I was 6'4", 250, no way a big guy could fit in there. It's not made for big folks. Supposedly, we have the top-notch of that particular size. I had to go in there and sit down before I close the door. I cannot close the door if I was standing up. It has to be in my size. But mother fits well in it. I would still recommend Safe Step to others. But with those particular things that we need to know in advance, like, the noise factors, how long it's going to take. We were told two or three hours, but it took at least twice as much time as what they said initially. Maybe the sales representative didn't know. But they should know, even down to the size.

Original review: March 30, 2021

This is a quality product. It does what the manufacturer says, and has some bells and whistles that make it nice. It may have too many, because we don’t use some of them. I do wish there was some way to fill it up faster because one gets cold waiting for it to fill up.

Original review: March 29, 2021

From the representative to the installers to the product itself was absolutely amazing!!! So amazing, we ordered a new shower system for the master bath!!! The nonslip floor & seat for the tub is great. Other companies do not compare!!!

Original review: March 28, 2021

This is the best bathtub that I have ever had the pleasure of relaxing in. It is easy to enter and relax while taking a bath, and I was able to install a shower attachment making this absolutely the best tub in the world. What more can I say about this wonderful company and their products.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information