Get Started

2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs

4.4/5 (365 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Verified

I have a stage 4 cancer patient at my home who is 70 years old... We got Safe Step's walk-in tub and it's a very nice product. ... My mom uses it weekly, if not almost every day t...

Verified

We’ve really been enjoying our Safe Step. The installation went great. ...I expected a lot more mess. The installers were extremely neat. There was very little dirt, and the produ...

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
    • Two grab bars
    • Anti-slip flooring
    • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
    • A hand-held shower wand
    • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof a floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling and draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

All Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that's part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most standout luxury features are its Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System and its MicroSoothe Air Therapy System.

The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.

The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft.

MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, which allows for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub lets users also have the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual showerheads and all of the safety features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices vary depending on the model you choose and the difficulty of installation. Some of the issues that affect installation quotes are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job because of the difference in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs come in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQ

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?
    Safe Step designs its walk-in tubs to fit into standard bathtub spaces. This means that if you have a regular bathtub, the walk-in tub will fit in the same area. Some walk-in tubs can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each user.
    What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?
    Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. The warranty covers manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters, blowers, parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.
    What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?
    A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. The company only sends installers that have been screened and are certified and fully insured. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete. Safe Step backs its installation process with a lifetime warranty on labor.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Its representatives determine pricing on a case-by-case basis, so you won’t know your total cost until you go through the free consultation. However, the quote you receive includes the installation cost.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: April 9, 2021

We needed to replace our current tub. We called Safe Step and we bought a new one. The rep misrepresented everything though. It has to do with how long it takes to fill up the tub. I'm 77 and I wanted to use it as a tub, but you have to really go in there. It takes at least 25 minutes to fill. I called the water company, and the pressure in the hydrant matches the pressure in the house. He said it only took three to five minutes to fill. It takes three to five minutes to empty. Emptying is not a problem, but filling it is.

I called the company and I got a woman on the telephone who said, "Well, you know what? I'll send somebody there to look at it. And if you call again, I'm going to charge you for it." So, it became a very bittersweet thing for me. I spent a lot of money on this. I really needed and want to use it, but it takes 25 minutes to fill. If I'm sitting on the bench in the tub, to get to the breast line is 25 minutes. I weigh 140 pounds, getting in and getting out is a little tricky, but it's okay. Everything that the rep said to me was really misrepresented. I take great issue with him because I had a problem and he just blew me off. When he came in, "Oh, you need any help? Call us. We'll take care of it." He didn't care about anything when I did.

I had one night where I must have not locked the door well and when I got out of the tub, I had a flood on the floor. So, I cleaned it up. Then I tried it again the next night. I probably didn't latch the door properly. But there were several things that left me feeling extremely upset. In the meantime, I had ordered an insert to my shower because the guys who installed the tub showed me the work that they did. It's taking a very long time to get this organized. They gave me a date that they're going to install it. I'm a little trepidatious about everything. I'm not a complainer either. I wouldn't complain unless there was a valid reason. The filling of the tub is the issue. I really love having it. I love to be able to get in it and do it that way because I can do what I did in the other tubs.

The tub is a soaker. I didn't buy anything with the jets, colored lights or electric panels because I had a hot tub indoors in my house for over 24 years, which I managed and ran by myself, so I understood what could happen with the jets and the pumps and the various things. So, I tried to have a very simple tub and that's what I have now. I have the shower connected to it, which is very nice. It has the hand shower, which is very nice too. But you cannot run the water and then get in it. If any water gets in between that connection with the door, which is I think it has suction connected to it, it's gonna leak. So, you have to be in the tub, latch that door, and then put the water on.

I wrote to the company and I said, "You know what? I spent $14,000 on this tub. I'd like to be able to get in it without having 65 people come to my house to constantly look at this and look at that.” The guy who was the installer came to check the pressure. He said, "Call the water company." I called the water company. The water company came and there was no way that they could make it any better. So, I've been just using it that way. It's one thing when you can run the tub and get into it. Then if you want to add more hot water you can. I love the curtain. It is a great thing. I have a heat lamp above the tub, which has been there for many years. Right now, it's coming in very handy with it.

At first, I was very impressed with how the tub looked. When I got into it, the putty is a semi-permanent putty and I was cleaning putty up around because it wasn't really dry. The way they adhered the PVC pipe left me a little concerned only because I washed it. But my husband seems to think it's okay. Then there was a big blob of putty that was something I had to get off. They didn't get it off. They didn't really clean up the way they should. It wasn't the way I thought it was going to be. Things were not done the way I thought they should be done. I was looking to see if I can find another faucet to get more pressure into it. I called the company. I said, "Maybe if I put a pump on it, would that help?" I had nobody answer me.

I love the product. I can use it as a tub if I bend and soak myself in the bottom part. But unless I put the water up higher, which I'm a little concerned to do, it's not what it appears in the brochure. Safe Step should tell you what you can do, what you can't do and what are the things that you must carefully do like making sure that that door is latched, there is no water in it and that you have to be inside that tub before you run the water. I'm adapting to what the tub will do, but I'm really very angry that the rep did not honestly represent what the things about it that could be a little challenging are.

I had ordered a second item. The rep gave me a price on it and then the next thing I knew, it was $2,000 more. I said to him, "You said this price." He said, "Oh, well, that was without the chair." It was very dishonest. I'm a little reticent because I know when I paid for it with the credit card, he took $1,500 for the shower when he only took $1,000 for the tub. This guy is not clean. He's not direct and he's not really telling you the truth. Now, I was gonna buy a tub one way or another. I had to make this house livable for me at this point in time and then decided to do the second bathroom, and I have a third one to do. So, I'm going to see how the second bathroom goes in, and see if I place an order for the third with Safe Step.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I started looking at walk-in tubs because I'm a sickle cell patient. I have Geriatric Onset Sickle Cell, and I contracted it because I had a blood transfusion. Nothing stopped the pain when I go to the hospital. One time, when I had the pain, my daughter said, "We're gonna take you to the spa, and put you in the whirlpool. And we're going to give you some scents and all that stuff and do some homeopathic stuff and make you feel." I went to that, and I came out immediately feeling without pain. I said, "You know, that tub is wonderful."

So, then, I started looking further. I had a tub at home, but it was just a regular Whirlpool, and when I saw this thing with the aromatherapy dispenser in it and a seat that you couldn't fall out of, I said, "You know, I enjoyed that spa tub so much and it made me feel so much better. I'll probably do better with homeopathic stuff rather than taking all that medicine that doesn't stop it anyway." When my shoulder and arm started to ache, I got in my Safe Step tub. I did the aromatherapy thing out. That misting thing helps, too.

Almost every morning I have some kind of pain because I'm 77 years old and instead of going to the shower, I take my bath in the tub. It still use the same amount of water and I feel better. So, I've invested because the insurance company wouldn't pay for it. I said, "I don't care whether I have to pay for this tub or not. I'm gonna have this tub because it makes me feel better." It takes away hours of pain. I fell on one of my knees before, so sometimes that knee has arthritis in it, which makes it really hard for me to walk if the knee, the shoulder and arm are hurting. I get in that tub and every morning when I get up, I'm feeling good because I took that tub the night before. I love it.

As far as the installation, the plumbers did a perfect job of installing and the water people did great. But when they applied for inspectors, the city sent the inspectors but they don't tell you they're coming. So, if you ain't home, they just stick a thing on the door and go. The company has to pay again for them to come. They did that twice and that was because they wouldn't tell me when they were coming. I didn't know whether to be home or not. They think everybody who wanted those tubs are just sitting there waiting until they come to inspect. Other than that, the installation is perfect. The scents come out right and everything works.

The salesman owns one of those installation companies. I noticed him because he was a little like he was as old as I am. He was such a nice man. He was so impressive. He didn't hard sell me because I told him, "Before you come in here, I want this tub. I'm just trying to figure out if I can buy it and will the insurance company cover." When they didn't want to finance it, he got on the phone and he called some people and he said, "Okay, you good to go. You're gonna get financed." I was happy about that. He did make sure that the company financed me and I'm fine, that payment isn't gonna hurt me at all.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I live in Tennessee and when I saw that Safe Step tubs were built in Tennessee, that interested me. I trust Pat Boone and he was doing an ad for Safe Step, so that impressed me. I looked at every video on their website that they had. I went through the whole thing and was impressed by that too. I called and the salesman came. I had a little uneasiness about him. I kept wanting to ask questions and he kept telling me to let him finish. It was as if he had a spiel that he had to get through and he could not stop to talk to me about my questions, which put me off a little bit. But he sold me the tub so he must have done a lot right to get me to sign the dotted line because it was so much more expensive than I expected.

He did a good job but I told him I wanted to buy a toilet along with the tub. He gave me a price and then, he gave me another price and it was a lot better. He had not included the toilet but it was a mistake. When I looked at the paperwork, I was thinking where the toilet was. So, I called him and I had told him that we've got to have the round toilet and not the long, oblong toilet because the door wouldn't close. He ordered the wrong one and so, I was about 10 days without being able to close the door to my bathroom.

When I called him about it, he got frustrated with me when I was talking about getting this thing switched out. He wanted me to call Jagger, the one that organizes what teams go where. I asked the sales rep if he could help me with it because I was a little hesitant to make a stink about things. He pushed me off so I wasn't happy with him by the end of the whole thing. I said that I couldn’t believe I spent $17,000 on a tub and he was not going to help me deal with this mistake that he made. But the installers were wonderful. I live in a home that was built in 1953 and it was built by a man that wasn't a contractor. So, dealing with an old house like this can be challenging. The installers did a miracle by getting the tub in. It took 11 hours but they were so patient.

I sent an email to Jagger praising these guys. It was Ben, Cliff, and Tanner. They worked hard and they were clean. They played very soft, Christian music. If they took a smoke break, I never saw them and I never smelled it. They only stopped for about five minutes to eat lunch. They worked so hard and got it all in. They had to take everything out to work the tub in to this little corner of the bathroom. They did it every bit, were kind, patient and helped me to have everything put back.

I love the tub. I took a bath this morning. The microbubbles were the things that I was the most excited about. On the second bath that I took, there was a screeching noise with the microbubbles and I turned it off. When they came to switch out my toilet, I told Ben about it and Ben checked it out. He said it was malfunctioning and he would need to come and replace that. I have not contacted anybody about that. I'm waiting to see if Ben does it or if I need to do something. But all the rest of it is fine and it's a fantastic machine.

I was hesitant with getting the tub because I'm so heavy. I was not sure I could close that door once I'm in there. The salesman came up with the idea that I could check that out before they installed it. This was something that the salesman did which was good. He called the boss and the boss okayed that they would bring the whole thing here and let me try it out before they installed it. When the guys came, they brought the tub in and put it in my front room and I got into it, and checked that I could close that door. It closed fine. They took it back out and then started the process in preparing to install it. So, that was a huge deal with me. It put my mind at ease because I had this horrible feeling that I was going to buy this thing and I was not going to be able to get into it.

I'm over 300 pounds and for somebody my size to be able to use the tub and be that comfortable is amazing. So that's one of the best parts of the whole thing. I bought it because my hip was injured and I could not lift my leg to get in a bathtub. It was what made me look for a walk-in tub in the first place. I've given out Safe Step’s website to people.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I knew there was gonna be a delay from the time I signed the contract with Safe Step until I got it fixed. They called me and told me when it was gonna be ready and installed, and I was okay with that. The day it was to be installed, I’d forgotten about it. At 10 o'clock in the morning, I heard somebody knock on the door. Two guys out there said, “We're from Safe Step two install your tub.” They were really nice guys. One was a fireman from Palatka, and the other guy was from Palatka too. They were very neat. They cleaned up. They had stuff right out the yard when they were installing it. They had the tub in the driveway. Then all around the driveway, it had all these boxes. They were pulling stuff out and putting the faucets on. They said they were gonna finish up around four o'clock.

We had some problems with the water cut off on the outside of the house, and I had to call in a plumber. They said that as long as he got here before 4 o'clock, they would be finished up. If he didn't, they'd have to come back Monday. But the plumber came out and fixed it long before they were ready to finish. They finished up right around 4 o'clock just like they said they would. So, I was really pleased.

My great granddaughter uses the tub more than anybody else. She knows how to operate it. She’s seven years old. She’s bright as can be. She absolutely loves it. She knows how to work everything. She loves the changing lights. My wife used the tub yesterday afternoon and she loved it. She didn’t want me to get it. She said I don’t need it. Now she says, it's one of the best investments ever made after my pool.

Kohler runs bigger ads than Safe Step does, but their price is better. Their equipment is probably equal to Kohler's. Safe Step finishes it off very nicely. I had one of those great, big tubs that we didn't have enough hot water. We got two hot water heaters and one is for our bathroom, and the rest is for the rest of the house. It’s only a 30-gallon tank, and it wasn't quite enough. So, I was gonna buy a booster and my son called. I'm talking to my other grandson. He was at Lowe's and he said, “Hey, I've got a water tank up here for 400 bucks, 50 gallons. You may wanna consider that rather than a booster.” So, we put the tank in Sunday, and it's more than adequate for the tub.

They said that the power drain makes some funny noise that lasts about a minute when the motor goes on to flush all the lines. It makes a buzzing noise. Our bathroom is right off our bedroom, only about 25 feet from our bed, and we can hear it when it goes off to drain after somebody uses it. The only time it goes off is after somebody has used the tub. But overall, we highly recommend it to anybody that would want one.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I went to two competitors and I was getting ready to do the third one. I just wasn't satisfied with what the first one had to offer for the dollar amount that they were charging. The third one was the other one that was on TV, and it looks good on TV. I canceled my appointment with them once the guy came from Safe Step. I like the one he gave me. They had three different types of Safe Step walk-in tubs: the bottom level, middle level, and the higher level which had the temperature monitor on the tub. I didn't have that because that was a little bit more than what I wanted to spend. They gave me the one which had the jets. I like the way it looked. I knew it was expensive, but the price seemed fair and adequate.

When I picked the one, the guy said that because my shower is on this side and the door is here, they would have to get it made with the tub turned around so that the shower is on the other end. I was worried about how would the shower work if the original one was on that face. He said that they run things under the bottom of the tub so I won't have a problem with it. It'd be working correctly, and it is. The guy who put it in was very knowledgeable of what he was doing. He explained everything, how it worked, what knob is for what, and all these.

However, I didn't know that the water would go cold coming in prior to filling all the way up to the top to where the level where it’s supposed to be. If it won't be filled up above the jets, water would go everywhere when turning it on, and I don't want that. He said I could use the other jets for the legs and down in the tub where I anchor my feet without turning the one for the backs on. That's good, but if I wanna use the ones for the back, the water level has to be above those jets.

I only used it one time because the water was cold by the time it got to the first level of jets for the back and I didn't wanna be letting all that water go in the tube and it's cold. Then I would hardly have any warm water in the tub to take a bath because all the cold water going in will make the warm water that’s already in there make that cold. That's the problem I have with it right now. I don't know whether I need to get a bigger tank. But the guy told me I should be okay with the tank that I have. I was gonna call the number that they gave me and I haven't yet.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Kenneth! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your experience with us for the most part. Please give us a call at 1-800-989-5101 regarding the warm water. Our customer service team can answer any questions you may have! Thank you.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The installers did a good job installing the Safe Step walk-in tub. They started at 8:30 and they were done at quarter to 2:00. I use the tub every time I take a bath and I like it. It's great.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

We work hard to give our customers a great experience through and through. We're so happy to hear that you're enjoying your tub, Garnet!

Original review: June 23, 2021

I had no problem with the sales rep that came out but the installation did not go as well. The install guys cut off our hallway shower-tub combo from the water completely and only hooked back up the tub. And they cut our shower off way above. Also, they didn't cover the drain for the tubs and got all kinds of crap that clogged up the tubs. It took 24 hours to drain. We had two different guys come out from Safe Step to fix it - Ron and Chris - and they were both great. Other than that, my grandmother is enjoying her walk-in tub very much and she feels so much better after getting out of the tub.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi, Elizabeth. We hate to hear that your install didn't go flawlessly, but we're happy that things are going well now. If you or your grandmother run into any issues, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Original review: June 22, 2021

Around the edges of the bottom border of the toilet, where they were supposed to have come and caulked it, all of that was off around the front. The sides are good. But the front looks like I had the tub separated at the bottom. And I got tired of calling to say something is wrong. But they sent someone back. He caulked the back of the tub. ‘Cause they were here to tighten the tub because the stool itself when you sit on it, rattles and shakes. The man that came back the second time said the guy didn’t tighten up both sides of the stool that was why it was shaking so bad. After he put the water tank in, he checked it and he did a much better job of tightening it up. I like the Safe Step tub. It's very good. I don't have to have anyone to assist me to get in and out. I just take my time and get in and out of it good. It turned out nice.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

We're happy to hear that we could get this issue resolved for you, Florine. If you need assistance with anything else, please don't hesitate to call us or send an email to sst-service@safesteptub.com.

Original review: June 21, 2021

We did our due diligence on the walk-in-tub purchase. There's the Home Depots and Lowe's and companies like that out there and when you look at their pricing, it seems like it's a lot less, but then you have to tack on hiring somebody to install it and having the guarantee. Plus, Safe Step is an American company and they're all manufactured and distributed in the United States, and they employ a lot of veterans. That was big for me.

The warranty is great. If someone decides against Safe Step, they need to make sure that they got their warranty covered because I have never seen a warranty like that one before. It didn't hurt to have a lifetime warranty on everything on that tub. And if we ever decided to move, as part of the warranty, they'll come out and relocate that tub to another house. That was huge for us. The guy said that they've had a couple of people who called to schedule because they were moving and they called and canceled because the people buying the house saw the tub and checked it out, and decided they'd pay the extra to keep the tub.

My wife uses the tub about twice a week, even though we have other tubs and showers. I've used it three times, maybe once a week. We didn't have injury or rehab or limitations that kept us from using the other equipment, so I would do it again. One of the problems that I always had with the hot tub and spa is that you open it and you get it going, and it might be 104 degrees when you open it up but it never stays hot enough. But this one has a heated seat in it and it recirculates the water when you have the jets on, and so the water always stays hot. The whole time I'm in it, the water never gets any cooler. I enjoyed that part of it so I would recommend Safe Step.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thank you so much for the great review, Todd. We're so happy to hear that we could provide you with a satisfying Safe Step experience!

Original review: June 20, 2021

The two installers were very good. But when I got in the tub and turned the air and the water on, it was pushing too much pressure against the door and the door was leaking. The installers sent it way back to the factory and got a new door. Then the new door was reinstalled along with the new molding. So far, it hasn't leaked. But when you walk in the door, it shoves you up in a little corner and to get the door shut, you gotta get up on your tippy toes to shut the door. Also, it takes an awful long time to fill the tub up. But draining it has good speed.

As a walk-in tub, it's not made to be so you could get in with a good, old washcloth and a bar soap and take a good bath. It's more of a toy or a gimmick for the people, or with people that have aches and pains that the sauna or the jets of air or water helps to alleviate some of the pain. My Safe Step walk-in tub is a little small and I'm hoping it’d be a little larger but it seems to be doing a good job. I've lost a little bit of pain compared to what I had two months ago. I am satisfied except for the price. It seems a little high for what you're getting.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Thank you for your feedback, William. We're happy to hear we could get the issue with your door resolved. Please let us know if there's anything else we can assist with!

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information