Get a Free Quote Visit Website
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.32/5
Visit Website

At Safe Step Walk-In Tubs, we take pride in dedicating the safest and comfortable walk-in tubs and showers for our customers. All of our products are fitted with the industry’s most accessible low step-in and are equipped with the best hydrotherapy systems to help relieve pain, enhance mobility and reduce stress.

Every Safe Step product is manufactured in Tennessee, allowing us to continue our legacy of providing lower and more affordable pricing than any of our competitors. We believe in our products so much, we back each walk-in tub and walk-in shower with the most extensive Lifetime Warranty in the industry. With locations across the U.S. and Canada, our team of customer support and technicians are always on call to help you and your family.

We care about providing enjoyable and safe bathing experiences to those in need, that we created an initiative in 2012 to donate walk-in tubs to anyone in need of a safer bathing solution, who could otherwise not afford it on their own.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Pricing is not published online, but each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

PROS

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
  • Financing available
  • Lifetime warranty
  • Military, veteran and other discounts

CONS

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
  • No upfront pricing

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

The guy who came to the house did a good job of pitching Safe Step. The one downside would be the price but the installation experience was good and I like the whirlpool type of effect on the tub.

I love Safe Step. They seemed to be the most reliable and during purchase and measuring, their reps did great. The installers also got things done and cleaned up in one day. After I got used to using the tub, it had me wondering why I hadn’t got it a long time ago...

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
  • Two grab bars
  • Anti-slip flooring
  • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
  • A hand-held shower wand
  • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling/draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their unique safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

Each Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that is part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most unique luxury features include:

• The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.
  • The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft. MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, allowing for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub vs. Standard walk-in tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub allows users to enjoy the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual shower heads and all the safety and all the convenient features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices and installation range from $11,000 to $16,000. Although, each is individually priced and mainly determined by the dimensions plus difficulty of installation. Some of the issues considered are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job, with differences in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs are available in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQs

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?
Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions vary and are tailored to meet the specific needs of each user. The units come in three standard sizes but can be customized for large and small installations. Although you may have the room to accommodate a deep tub, your current water heater may not be able to fill it sufficiently. The most common size is 52 inches long and 30 inches high. It would replace a traditional bathtub/shower, which is 60 inches long.
What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?
Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. It includes any manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters and blowers, and parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.
What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?

Your overall cost includes professional installation and has a 100 percent guarantee. A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. Installers are screened, certified and fully insured.

All Safe Step walk-in tubs are designed to fit existing spaces without a full remodel or any further expense. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Pricing is case-by-case, so you won’t know if the tub is a good fit for you or your home until you go through the free consultation. However, all installation costs are in your free quote. Safe Step walk-in tub reviews indicate that customers enjoy the amenities of the tub, but pricing can run high for premium models.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

We had an interest in a Safe Step Walk-in Tub for a long time because we moved from the north in Virginia, down here in 1996, and we had a house built. It was the only house we’ve ever had built which was one of the mistakes that we made. That tub that we had there was too small for me. Neither one of us felt comfortable getting in and out of it at all. I was in it one time and my wife was never in it in 23 years. So, it was waste of space, and the shower that’s in that bathroom is fine for my wife, but it’s a little small for me. I didn’t feel claustrophobic, but I thought to myself, “Just one of these days, I’m gonna fall down in this shower, and I’m not gonna be able to move to get up.”

The way our house is laid out, the other bathroom has a much larger shower in it. It’s just a shower, but it’s as long or as big as a tub. But because of the way our house is laid out, it never gets used. So, the only time it gets used is when we have guests. That’s our fault. We had looked into a walk-in tub a number of years ago and we just decided it was too expensive for us. But then, the more we lived in a house that had a corner with a regular tub in it with a few jets that never got used in 20 years, we decided we needed to do something with it.

The thing that I liked most about the Safe Step sales representative was he lives real close to us and we were able to go over to his house and take a look at his tub. We got a good first-hand view of the operation there. Plus, he was very knowledgeable. He’s a little older fellow. Not quite as old as I am, but older anyway, which is something he just picked up after doing something else for a number of years, and he was real good at what he did. Also, the installers did a nice job. There is one little place in the wall right next to the tub that they chipped out but it’s no big deal. Even somebody with the limited ability that I have with my hands could fix that.

I like that I don’t have to worry about falling down getting in and out. That’s the big thing. The back jets are what I like best about it. My wife and I both have lower back problems. It has more jets in it than the tub that we had, and I like the shower that’s in it. The one we looked at before was just a walk-in tub. It didn’t have a shower. The tub has solved the problem for us in terms of safety, both from the size standpoint and from the be-able-to-walk-in-and-out standpoint. It’s going to be very beneficial to us in terms of being able to use the whirlpool features in it.

I had a question whether or not we were going to replace or get a larger hot water heater. After filling the tub up a couple times, it’s plenty warm enough, but if we needed hot water again immediately, it wouldn’t be there. The tub probably has more capacity than what our hot water heater is. So, we need to replace our hot water heater probably when this one wears out. When we have to replace it anyway, we’ll just get a larger one. I’m trying to find out and I didn’t find out from the fellow that sold us the tub. We live in a subdivision. There are about 400 houses in here, and I was just curious to know and I didn’t find out if there were any others in the neighborhood because eventually, when we sell this house one of these days, that’s going to be a big benefit to us. But other than that, we are pleased with the tub. It’s an expensive item, but it’s going to be to our advantage. I’m gonna tie my wife up and throw her in there to get her to use it one time.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I've heard about Safe Step throughout the years. A couple of years ago, I had a friend who came by and we took a look at it, but I didn’t have the money then. Then about a couple of years ago, somebody came here and I gave them some money to install it. But I had an emergency and I had to back off. And then I was watching Safe Step on TV until one day I told my wife, “Look. I need to call these people and have them come to check it out." When I made the purchase, the man and wife team showed me a few people that did it, and I was looking at it and I said, “Wow, look at his legs.” And then the woman said, “Well, in about 90 days, this is what happens.” She showed me three different people. I told her she didn't have to sell me that. I was sold a long time ago.

I had a lot of problems with my legs. I have type 2 diabetes, but I got nerve damage in my leg, neuropathy, plus, high blood pressure, and I might have to go on dialysis. I beat it for two years. I kinda knew everything about it, but when the woman showed the 90 days difference of what people were having problems with their leg circulation and all that, I told my wife this is what I need. She said, “No, you can go to a whirlpool and do all that.” I said, “No, this is what I need.” Because that way, I can do it at home in privacy.

I also told my wife it might help her too. She had a lot of problems with her veins. I told my wife, it’s gonna help her back, it will massage her back, it will clean her up. But I was just beginning and then later I said, “You know what I like about this tub? It cleans your butt.” She started laughing. But really, it will massage your legs and back, and take out all the pain you got.

The guy came in to put it in a day early. When he said, “Do you mind if I --” I said, “No, man, go ahead. I appreciate it. You just do what you gotta do.” And the gentleman and his wife did a fantastic job. They were very professional, courteous, kind, knowledgeable, and the guy made sure I knew everything before he left. His wife talked to my wife. She showed her everything, because I don’t pay attention to a lot of stuff. I just pay bills and that’s what I worry about.

I've used the tub twice. I didn’t have problems with my septic tank, but there was something there that wasn’t right. So, I called a friend of mine to come by to check it out. He told me what the problem was and he said it was minor. “From now on, you just don’t put like baby wipes, when you clean the baby stuff, don’t throw it in there.” So, it worked out perfect.

We were worried about maybe we had too much water. I told my wife I don’t see why. We had a big tub here and the man took it out. The only thing about the tub, it doesn’t have jets in it. Plus, I can get in it but I couldn’t get out. Too low for me. I had to put a bar across my tub to pull and I couldn’t do that because of my legs and arms. So, I told my wife, “No, this is better. I can walk in, sit down.” I’ve tried it. I ran it to my knees, and the first day we went in, I said, “See there, look. All of these coming out of your legs, it’s skin.” The second time I did it, it wasn’t too bad. You could see it was a little bit clearer. I said, “It’s working. It’s just gonna take time.” So, I was very satisfied. I told my wife, “Look. If it doesn’t help, it doesn’t help. Just do it like taking a bath in the tub. It’s just a little bit different. But the thing about it is you might not see everything then, but in the process, you gotta give it time.”

And I said, “Don’t worry about it. I’m not.” She said, “Well, It’s too big.” “Are you paying for it?” She said, “No.” “Then don’t worry about it.” Because that’s the only way I can get along with my wife. My son said, “Mom, why are you worrying? Dad pays for everything, and she makes sure that you don’t have to worry with all that stress.”

I called the finance company and I said I wanna make three payments. So, they sent me a letter stating that all three payments were paid, next payment is due in March. I'm all ready for March. I’ve prepared for it. I'm very pleased with the people that installed the tub and I'm very pleased with the people that I’ve talked to in finance.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I had fallen several times and the doctor said I better do something or I'm gonna fall and break a hip. My foot drops when getting in and out of the tub. I called American Standard but they weren't very nice on the phone. It just turned me away. Then, I called Safe Step and we set up an appointment. The rep was very nice and not overburdening. He had been an installer for Safe Step so he knew the process. He answered a lot of questions that we had and he was very knowledgeable. He was here for three hours but it wasn't boring at any point. The time went fast. He had a movie to show and he talked like a normal person, not like a salesman. Before he left, we bought the walk-in tub. Then the installer came and our experience with them went surprisingly well. It took him two days as he had to tear out some drywall and the doorframe and when he was done, he had fixed everything that I couldn't tell it.

The only thing I was unhappy about was I had to get another contractor to do a small item. It was only $80 on my part so not a big deal. When the tub was installed and I was looking at it between the floor and the tub, there was an inch gap to the far left and an inch and a half on the right. My cat kept trying to stick her paw under there. Also, I wash my hair without getting in the tub. I used to kneel down on the tub to wash my hair instead of using the sink. My toes would go under it and I didn't like it. So I had my bathroom redone last year and a fellow made a frame for me and put it around my mirror. I called a contractor and he said, "Yeah, give me a couple weeks. I'll work it in." He had the frame all painted white and it's perfect. It looks like it's part of the tub. It goes all the way to the floor and I don't have that gap anymore.

When I use the walk-in tub, I just go in, shut the door and turn it on. Their tub is different than the American Standard because it has the bar that goes up to the top and it has a rain shower on it. The handheld shower slides up and down this bar to put it anywhere I want - from the height of the tub to over 7 feet tall. So I can sit down in the seat, slide that handheld down, wash my hair and take my shower.

Knowing that the risk of falling has gone away totally, it's nice. It was a lot of money though but it had been so good to use. Also, my wife is a lot younger than me so she doesn't need a sit-down situation for a shower. But with the rain shower head, the way it's constructed and the features, she absolutely loves the tub. Also, we let the water come completely up and turn on the jets and it's really nice. It helps with the aches and pains such as arthritis in my knee, my ankle and it also helps my back. I don't have to use it as an old people tub. I can use it as a stand-up shower and it's fine.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My husband has some hip issues that get a lot of pain shots in it because it's so painful. I thought that a walk-in tub might help with the therapy on his hip. I went online and I've seen the advertisements in different magazines 'cause I have AARP membership. I looked at American Standard. I looked at a Jacuzzi brand. Then, I looked at the Safe Step and it is recommended by AARP and Arthritis Society so I decided to go with that one and they were offering a senior discount.

The sales representative explained and was patient with my husband and me. She was here almost two and a half hours showing us everything in the brochure and doing the paperwork. She was wonderful and I thought she did a good job representing the tub. The guys that came out to do the install were very professional and they put a mask on the floor to keep the dirt down. Needless to say, they had to cut my existing tub and shower enclosure in pieces to get it out of that small area to the opening. I had a lot of sawdust-like white crap everywhere after they left. It's all through the house.

But they cleaned up the floor itself, swept it and put a decent thing. However, that stuff went through all the air conditioning because the AC was blowing. I knew that I've had some cleanup because there was no way they could catch all that and go all through the house and dust the furniture. They were very careful with everything 'cause we had wood. My husband had custom made this bathroom and put a wood ceiling in it where the tub enclosure was and down the wall. The installers made sure that none of that got damaged and they put the tub in and everything was great there. It's just after they left, I realized that the door wasn't straight because it doesn't shut enough and that should have some privacy at least.

I'm not happy with the way they left my wall that they put a socket in. They cut the hole too big and the plate doesn't fit. I'm also not happy where they left my door casing. They had to take that down in the door to get the tub into the bathroom. It's such a small area. When they put it back in, they didn't put it in straight and it's locked at the top sticking out. The guy is supposed to come back with a plate to cover the mess, but he hasn't so I called the main office and they're supposed to be sending somebody out the next day.

I'm also not happy with the seat not being fully heated and the back heated. The second thing in the brochure says that the back and seat of the tub are heated. Only half of the seat heats and the man told us that's all it's supposed to do. My husband got upset and said that he wanted both cheeks warm, not just one cheek. They're gonna look into that when they come tomorrow as well. These are little minor issues and I don't like it because I figured I paid a lot of money for this thing. Other than that, the tub works good as far as the therapy part. The massage and that kind of stuff is great. The jets for the seat doing all that was is wonderful. I didn't go with the cheap one, as I could have got one from Home Depot. But the tub is excellent and wonderful.

Original review: May 1, 2019

We were doing a full remodel on our guest bathroom and we were planning on staying in this house until we retire. We are not of retirement age but I have a lot of mobility issues at the moment so, we were looking to replace the bathtub with something that would bring us into our old age. We ran across Safe Step and it was kind of a geriatric look and I am not a geriatric yet, so I didn’t wanna go down that path. But when the sales rep came and told us all about all the different features, they were great. We decided that, in spite of the fact that it’s not the prettiest thing on the planet, we would get one.

I had a list of questions and the salesperson was knowledgeable about everything. I liked that she was not all about pushing a sale. When I heard early on what the price was, I told her that that was not what we had budgeted for a bathroom. The cost of the tub exceeded what the budget was to redo the entire bathroom and we’re having custom-cabinetry made so, I was shocked about the price but she went ahead and somehow made me interested in hearing more. It was a good experience with her. She was a real person and seemed honest.

Our house was built in the 80’s and installation was not as easy as anticipated. Normally, all they have to do is take the door frame off to get the new tub in. They had to cut into our sheet rock to get the tub in and we had just had the entire house repainted and had some sheet rock work done. Now, I’m left with having to repair both the inside and outside of the bathroom. The last thing I wanna do is deal with mud, and sanding and painting, but that’s where I’m left with. That was not ideal, but the installers were very knowledgeable and they were very nice people. They were a married couple and they were super nice and quick in spite of the fact they ran into some snags at our house. They dealt with that. So, they were here a little bit longer than they had anticipated, but they were lovely about it. Aside from having more work to do after the installation was done, it went smoothly.

I have been able to use the tub and I like it, but I wish that it was deeper. The amount of water that it takes to fill it is substantial and I am 5’8”, so it’s kind of average height but when I’m sitting in that tub, I have to put myself in a very strange position in order to submerge myself. It is a position that I will not be able to do when I’m an old lady. The water barely gets over the jets on your back and I’m still hardly submerged. It might come up to maybe my belly button so, I turn my body around and float in the water with my calves and feet in the seat, and my butt floating in the large part of the water, and my head sticking out over where the faucets are. So, it is a little bit of a distortion to get into that position. I can also soak by being on my knees with my upper body leaning on the seat, which is a really weird way of doing things, but it’s the only way I can get fully submerged.

For the amount of money I spent, I wish I was absolutely thrilled with absolutely every aspect of it, and I’m not. It needs to be perfect and it’s not, which is a shame. I don’t hate it so bad that I want them to take it out. We’ll keep it but it’s a huge expenditure for it’s not, to me, perfect. It will be perfect for someone shorter who is maybe 5’3”. They might be more submerged although they still have to use a whole lot of water. Also, the heated seat only heats the back and it doesn’t get very warm, so it’s pointless.

I’m not disappointed in the tub even though it kinda sounds like I am. I got tiny bubbles, the regular jets and the light features. I got all of the whistles and bells, and I’ve used all of them except for the aromatherapy largely because I use bath bombs frequently, but I really like the tiny bubbles and the handheld shower head. I’ve actually showered in that bathtub and washed my hair in there, just sitting in the seat one day, when I was hurting really bad and I just was not in the mood to stand up in the master bathroom shower. It was good and nice in that regard.

The service was very good and I’m assuming that what I was told was accurate, that in the event I need to have someone come out, it’s likely gonna be the same people who installed it. Even if it’s not the same people, it is their staff installers which is appealing to me, because often, service people don’t know the first thing about products. So, at least the bathtub people, they know what they’re doing and if I ever need service, I am assured that whoever comes out here is gonna really know the product, and that’s how good they are.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Safe Step has been out there long enough to have cleared up any kind of problems so as far as any kind of working apparatus, we thought we'd go with them to get a walk-in tub. The rep we had was great and he answered questions for us that especially pertain to our family. Then the installers came early and finished quickly. There was one part that was broken so they had to bring another. When the tech came out with the part to fix it, I asked him where the shut off valves was. and he showed me. He said there was only one and that I needed one on each line. They came out again and installed one.

The installation was pretty exceptional as far as making it look like it fit in that area so we were pleased with that. Also, I've used all the features but the air bubbles really relax me. I can feel my skin. I have sinus problems and I don't know if it had something to do with it but I can sit there with the air bubbles around and it feels like I'm surrounded with something that's generating my skin. I've enjoyed that. The jets are very effective too. I do my Safe Step in the morning. I care give to my husband and my son so I get up in the morning and I spend 30 minutes in there at times just for myself.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

Safe Step's salesman believes in the product, knows about it, and can sell it. Moreover, the installation went perfectly. The guys were very good and the quality of their work was way above average. The only hard thing we had about the experience was coming up with the money.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

After I built the house, I put down Luan and then I put tile down and that raised the floor up a little bit higher. When Safe Step took the old tub out, they didn't build up the floor, like with plywood, to make it even with the tile floor. And I wish they had done that. I asked how big is the lip that you step into and they said it would be three inches, but where the tub is not up to the height of the tile. It only gives me about an inch lip, where I'm supposed to step in and to keep the water from splashing back out. I had to be very particular about the shower curtain being in the right place and all that kinda stuff so it doesn’t get on the floor.

Also, the rain showerhead has a gooseneck to it that comes over. I wish that could’ve been a straight-out and not have that big hump in it. Other than those, there are no leaks and stuff and I'm satisfied with that part. Also, the installers were very friendly. They cleaned up their mess real good. There are a couple of little things I wish could’ve been done differently, but I didn't want to stand there, look over his shoulder, and boss him because I know that can be aggravating. And I realize that those guys tried to get in and out in a day’s time because they were booked to go some place else the next day. If they took the time to go on the loose or some lumber company and got the extra plywood to build the floor up, it would probably took a couple more hours.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

The man that came out who we bought the Safe Step from was super nice and so was the crew that put it in. They all were perfect gentlemen and just as sweet as they could be. They set the tub in the living room when they got it. My husband is a large man and they made us get in it to make sure it was gonna be comfortable and everything. Then, they left the house perfectly clean. They cleaned up after themselves and took care of everything.

The only problem with the tub that I have is that I run out of hot water before it gets as hot as I want it to be. I had someone turn the hot water heater up. The man that sold it to me looked at the hot water too and said it was big enough, but it’s not as hot as it’ll go. But I love it. I have some neighbors that thought we were moving when they saw the tub out in the driveway and they called to see if we were moving. I said we were getting a Safe Step tub and a lot of them said they had been wanting one too. So I said whenever they want to come look at it, they're welcome to.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

Installation was from 8:00 am to 9:00pm. Tub was installed on Feb 11, 2020. The design needs to be improved. The seat is too high, the back needs to be more slanted. It is uncomfortable. I consider it a $17,000 MISTAKE. NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information