Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We are extremely satisfied with whole experience from the salesman to the installer, who explained everything in detail and answered all our questions. He said he and his partner would be in and out in one day with old shower out and new tub in, that included removing a small wall, and they were... All done by 5:00. They left everything clean and as they had found it. Plus the big bonus is the tub itself. We ordered the larger of the two and it accommodates us perfectly. I was concerned about losing our shower but need not have been. They attached a holder for the handheld shower wand. We attached a track shower curtain rod. I now have a perfect shower whenever I want and it has plenty of room. By replacing a walk-in shower we actually opened the room up and it feels roomier. Not to forget that the whirlpool tub itself is glorious.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband had changed all the steps getting in and out of our house so that I could manage them. Now the steps were no more than seven inches. But it was even getting to the point where I couldn’t make that, so I knew I had to have a really low threshold. I then started researching it, reading and watching every ad. When I saw an ad for Safe Step, I liked the fact that their tub had such a low threshold, because some of what other companies offer are really high, and I knew that I would not be able to get into it any better than I could get in a regular bath tub. Safe Step's was the lowest one I could find. So I called their number, and the representative who came explained everything so thoroughly, answered every question we had, and really was super informative. We then decided to get the tub.

The installer was nice, too. He didn't mind me peeking around the corner every once in awhile to see what was going on and explained everything thoroughly as to how it worked. He answered any question we had. He also made sure I could reach the handrails and grab-holds like it was made for me. This is ideal because I have trouble with my balance.

My whole family’s in love with the tub and they’re all waiting for their chance to come in and use it. My youngest daughter who is really crafty likes to decorate things so my bathroom has become a spa. This is so handy because it's in the house, unlike the spa that we had before which was outside. I could get up in the middle of the night if I want to and get in it. Also, my husband would not get in the spa, but he's getting in the tub. It’s really nice and I really enjoy the time I spend in there.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I looked Safe Step Walk-In Tubs up on the internet after I saw it in a magazine and it said $1,500 off especially if you’re a veteran, so we called. This lady came and talked to us about getting one. She let us go in her truck and sit down in the tub. She was nice and a good salesperson. My husband is a veteran so he got the discount. We really enjoy our tub and I'm telling everybody about it. I like the jets on my legs, feet, and back. I don't have a lot of aches but it helps me feel better all over.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I couldn't step up over in a tub so I bought the Safe Step Walk-In Tub. I like the features which have helped me some. My interaction with the sales rep went fine and the installation crew cleaned up everything and put everything back where they took them from. They were very nice and did very good. I will recommend it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We went for a Safe Step walk-in tub for my 89-year-old father whom I have custody of mostly because of their salesman. I couldn’t believe the installers installed it in three hours or less. My contractor had done a lot of the prep work for it but they were in and out in no time and did a great job. The tub has a heated seat and the jets are good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co.?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I chose Safe Step as they sounded like they had a lot going on. The sales rep was professional and the tub delivered what they said it's going to deliver. However, I get tired waiting for it to fill. I had to install a new water heater because it took more hot water than a 40-gallon one so I went up to a 50-gallon one. That was the expense I wasn't expecting, but it's okay. I like the jets and heated seat of the tub and it feels better when I take a bath in it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband saw the commercial of Safe Step Walk-in Tubs on TV and got the notion that we were at the point where both of us needed it, so we decided to go with Safe-Step. Their sales team was very informative and their installation crew cleaned up and got it all done in one day (I didn’t even have to sweep the bathroom!). I really like it. So far, I've only been able to take a bath, get in, get out and wash my hair in it. But I’m real pleased with it and hoping in the future I’ll get to soak and enjoy it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was looking for something that would be suitable for my mother who is in her 80s. Safe Step was the first company that I contacted and I liked that they were in Nashville which is close to South Central Kentucky where we live. The people that I dealt with on the telephone and the people who came to our home were very nice and they explained everything very well. They did a really nice job and I was very pleased.

My mother has not moved in with me yet but the tub's now taking up the space where my old bathtub was so I'm also using it. I just had surgery and I have only now started being able to shower so my favorite feature right now is the fact that I can sit down easily and shower. I don't have to worry about standing up and feeling out of balance or feeling like I'm not secure inside my bathing cubicle. It's been real good so far.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went with Safe Step because of the cost, but the biggest sales factor was when Ted, their sales rep, came to the house with a tub. Not many people bring tubs to people's house for them to sit in and look at and actually make a decision about. Ted was wonderful, very nice and very thorough in the explanation of it. I'm disabled. I have arthritis in just about every joint of my body and my entire spine. I initially wasn't going to buy the tub because our budget is rather tight. But I was convinced that I absolutely needed it and it was worth the investment.

The installation took longer than they thought because they had to find a way to get the wire up to the tub. But other than that, it went rather smooth. All three guys that were here were very courteous and polite and explained the tub features to me. My back hurts so much on some days and the warmth of the tub and the jets take away the pain for a while. I've enjoyed it and I hope to enjoy it for many years to come. I like that I can just walk in and don't have to climb in it like I did my hot tub. I can just stand up and take a shower. It's a very nice tub.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Safe Step sales rep came in and made measurements. He said he had one and he told us some of the advantages of having it. I love the jets, they hit every spot. On other hand, the tub is a little bit smaller than I thought it was but it works good. Also, it uses so much water until you can't afford to take baths every night. So, I take my regular baths and then about once a week, I get in the big tub. Other than that, I'm totally satisfied and I had recommended it to my sister.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've known about Safe Step for an awful long time. But I've had a lot of troubles with my back in recent months and that's when I sort of got interested in it. The installation team was great and I'm satisfied with the tub. It's beautiful, I enjoy it and it's made a lot of difference to me. Now I don't have to break my back taking a bath or shower. It's comfortable and when I have a bath there are less aches and pains. It didn't make the rest of them go away.

The only thing that bothered me about the whole thing afterwards was when I called and they didn't come to me. I came to them about the tub and they told me that they would quote me a price and it would be good for a year but that was only partially true. They did quote me a price which was pretty outrageous then they offered me all these discounts, but those discounts were not good like the original price was. And part of their sales pitch was "we don't put a lot of pressure on you to buy" but that's not true because there was a lot of pressure involved when they told me that there's about $6,000 worth of incentives that were only good if I bought it that same day. I had a little bit of nasty taste in my mouth because that reeks of deceptive advertisement.

I understand the business aspect of it and I didn't mind it provided they gave it to me upfront. It wouldn't have been a big deal and I would have still bought the tub anyhow if the price would have been good. It's just that I was making a $13,000 decision in one day and in a couple of hours, even less than that. Whereas I might have changed my mind on how I paid for it. I had the cash and I needed to do some figuring on where I was going to spend my money but rather than having the time to figure that out, I was sort of pressured into buying it that day so the easy way to do that was financing and I'm sorry I did.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I liked the fact that Safe Step was American-made and that was important to me. The sales response was pretty quick and the representative seemed knowledgeable and whatever she didn't know, she found out. Then, the installation team came and we discussed how the installation was gonna be done. I was a little concerned about it because I'm an engineer and I just worry about things like whether it's gonna fit. But we made something work out and it came out all right. I generally use the tub at night and after I use it, I'm more relaxed. My favorite feature is probably the foot jets. I'm happy with it and I would recommend it.

Factual basis uncertain

The rep that I dealt with was nothing but lies!!! He told me because of the holidays my paperwork wasn't going to be turned in ‘til after the 1st of the year. This was after 5pm on Dec. 29th. Here nor there I still had 3 days to cancel my order which by the way was a fully stocked tub with all the bells and whistles for $11,400.00. I was going to finance a portion of the amount so he asked me for my social security number to get approved. The next thing I know (after I canceled within the time limit) not only did they try to cash the $1000.00 deposit check, they opened a credit card without my permission, with a credit limit of $1000.00 over the amount I was going to finance and an interest rate of 26.99%!

They charged the card for the amount I would have owed them, again without my knowledge. It wasn't till 2 weeks later the credit card arrived. I called the bank and they told me they were going to open a fraud investigation. It has been 3 weeks since I canceled my order and they never reversed any charges they put on this card. Not only do they sell tubs but they are Identity thieves too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I've known about Safe Step for quite some time but kept putting it off. I got to a point where I had to have a bath lady to come and give my husband a bath. I felt we needed a tub so that's when we decided we're going to buy one. We had our Safe Step walk-in tub installed the day before the Christmas. I took a bath and then it wouldn’t work anymore so the techs came out yesterday and got it fixed. I love it and so does my husband. It's the very thing for us and we should have gotten one years ago. It's relaxing and I love lying down and it lifts the bubbles and the lights go. I stay in there for 40 minutes the first time I was in there. I've got arthritis and the jets hit it and it relaxes me. All in all, it's been wonderful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Safe Step is made in the USA and their corporate office is in Nashville that's why I bought from them. Our tub was installed the first part of December. In one day, the installers brought the tub in and installed it after they took my old Jacuzzi tub out. They had to reroute my plumbing to get it in the position that it needed to be for my husband because he had a stroke and his strong side is on his right so they had to reverse the plumbing. The installers were professional and cleaned up after themselves. They did a very neat job and I was happy with the installation.

Our tub is very attractive and different people who were here talked about how they were impressed with it because you don't see too many of those in homes. It was pricey, though, and I was surprised about that. But it had everything on it that we wanted and I was impressed. The only thing negative is if you have a door on it, you have to get in before you run the water and let the water run out before you come out. I'm used to running the water and then getting in it. But I bought the tub so it would be easier to get in and out of.

The only way we take a bath now is through the Safe Step tub. My husband can't take a bath any other way. The tub is perfect that we can take a bath or a shower whichever we need to. It's therapeutic too with the kind of jets. However, I used the shower wand on my husband and the first time after I used it and put back in the hole, it got tangled under around some pipes and wouldn't come out. I called Safe Step on Monday and someone came a few days after. The technician looked under, got it untangled and rerouted the hose so that it wouldn't get hung up again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had called a couple of other walk-in bathtub companies before calling Safe Step. When we did, they came over and went through everything with us. Their installation crew was stellar. When they were breaking apart the old tub, a big shard of that tub hit and destroyed the toilet that was there. They replaced it with no ifs or buts. They had to rip apart the door frame during installation but they put it back and I couldn't tell that it was ripped apart.

My wife, myself and her 91-year-old mother have been using the tub. It has been much less traumatic getting her mother into that tub and getting her cleaned than it is trying to get her into a shower especially during winter. The microbubbles have been our absolute favorite. Safe-Step has exceeded every expectation I could ever have.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I saw Safe Step Walk-in Tubs advertisement and I called them. The sales rep was very nice and he really didn’t have to talk us into anything as we had already decided to get the tub. He gave us all the information we needed and he arranged it. We were very satisfied with it. The installers were very efficient, however, we noticed several days later that there was a little damage in the living room which was my office. With Safe Step, it's like taking a bath, except it's nicer. I haven't been able to take a bath for many years and it was very nice to be able to take one again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Safe Step salesman was superb and the installation crew was absolutely excellent. I'm also liking my tub very much. It has what they call microbubbles which has negatively charged ions and when women put these creams on it's supposed to remove the outer layer of the skin with obviously a chemical process. I like the bubbles and so forth but they weren't as hard as I was hoping. I wish they were harder and the force from the jets are stronger. Since I used the tub, there's a little bit more spry in me. Nonetheless, I would be happy to help promote Safe Step.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband can't walk and is in a lot of pain and undergoes neuropathy and I wanted to see if Safe Step's tub would help him. I've seen the advertisement and my husband and I felt that he could benefit from it atleast. The sales representative was very nice, informative and went out of his way to try to help us, which I appreciated very much. Installation went fine except that they busted my light in the bathroom. I understand they were working on the wall and floor but I just regret that they didn’t tell me about these. They had to do a lot of extra work installing it and I appreciate that. It took them a lot longer than what I felt, but they got it done and at least they did the best they could. I like all the features of my tub. We use the micro soft and I use the shower quite a bit myself, but we've enjoyed it. When we use the tub, it makes us feel a lot better and reinvigorated.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I found it difficult to get in a tub after my back surgery. My husband researched the Safe Step Walk-in Tub on the computer and it seemed to be the best one on the market according to the ratings. It was a little pricey but it fit all the criteria for us and I didn't want to go with something inferior. It's there forever too. I called their toll-free number and the lady who came to see us was perfectly great. She did a super good job of explaining everything about the tub and we negotiated some on the price in making the final decision. I was pleased with the rep and we had a good visit.

The installers were great too and the installation went smoothly. I was also involved with most of what they were doing. They installed one of those switches for when the power was to get cut off for some reason and they let me choose where to put it. They went over everything after they did the installation and they cleaned up everything. When they left, my bathroom looked better than when they came, but I had to wait a day for everything to set up. Also, the first time I used the tub, I didn’t completely lock the door. My husband came in and he said there was water on the floor. He then reached over and locked the door.

My surgery was very severe and cut through a bunch of nerves in my back that are trying to regenerate. I also have something like neuropathy that people who have diabetes have and I have pain in my legs and burning feet. When I go to bed and everything gets quiet, I feel everything. But I was in the tub last night and I didn't have that feeling. It was wonderful. That was due to the jets, the massaging, and the warm water. It's a great experience.

The feature that I like is you have to sit in there for the water to come in and it's nice that as long as you sit there, the water stays warm, which I love. But if you fill up one of those other jet tubs, by the time you get that much water and you get in it, the water would start cooling off within five minutes. With my tub, you can lounge in there for half an hour. It wouldn't be very practical if you didn't do that. This uses a lot of water, though, and as a conservative person, this bugs me a little bit and I use it once a week. I have to pick and choose my time because it's a while that I get a sit there and enjoy as it fills up. I have to carve out about 45 minutes for a bath, which is okay for a retired lady like me. It's fitting me and my life. It's very relaxing as I listen to ebooks and tapes. But for someone who has less time, it might not be okay.

I wish, though, that I could put my husband in it when I get done. But that's not possible because you have to drain then open the door for another person to get in. The tub is big enough for the both of us and I teased my husband to get in with me the first night I got in there. But he told me that he would have to climb up on a stool to get in. I wish there was a way you could do that and let two people enjoy it. A kid might be able to climb up and get in but an adult male is not going to. It's a nice addition to our bathroom. It's attractive and it works well. I'm happy that we got it and I would recommend it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Safe Step came out and both their presentation and warranty were far stellar than the other company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The representative of Safe Step was a very experienced person. He was very precise in his presentation and well prepared, too. He convinced me to buy one and I like that Safe Step is made in the United States. I also like that Safe Step has a lifetime warranty. The guys who installed the tub were excellent people and I even invited them to have lunch with me because they were very efficient and the job was done about 5:00 pm.

I needed the tub because my wife has Alzheimer’s and dementia and I have to take care of her and bathe her. She gets easily into the tub however, it would be better to have a tank of 74 gallons because if I have done for example washing my clothes before I get into the tub, the water is not hot enough. I figured out that I have to put the water heater on full to have enough hot water.

It's an excellent product and my most favorite feature is the foot massage. However, there are two minor changes I would suggest. First, my wife tried to open the tub from the inside. So I think it would be very important to have a second device on the outside to secure 50 gallons of water from going out of the tub. And second, I noticed when I'm sitting in the tub and I have to reach the soap, I have to get up. It would be nice to have a device where we have our hand soap so we can reach it easily. But I'm very happy and everything is working fine. It is an expensive investment, but I could have maybe installed a walk-in tub for $3,000 less but then it's made in China and I don’t have the warranties and nobody is responsible.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

There was a leak in my Safe Step but the installer took care of that. Also, I couldn’t put the shower curtain up so he had to come back to put it. In addition, the lights are cute but I'll have them changed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Safe Step is a good and reliable company. There are other companies out there but they could never give me estimates. The sales rep of Safe Step was also good. I like the tub, especially when we're going to put a lot of water in it and when it's spraying on my legs and back. It's also a much easier and safer thing to get into, and this tub has been good for my wife, as well. The only disadvantage I see in it is it takes a lot of water to fill it up and our hot water pressure is low, so it takes longer to take baths but that doesn’t bother me too much.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I liked the gentlemen that presented the Safe-Step tub to me. He was awesome, not pushy but explained everything. He worked with us at that time when I had him out. I hadn't received my retirement money so we put my purchase on hold. I told him I would get back with him and he had no problem with that. On the other hand, the installation team was very nice. The gentleman almost went through my floor because when you have a bathtub done, you don’t know that the floor is not any good when they take them out. But they fixed it and it's as good as new and they showed me how to work it. I've used the tub a couple of times. A lot of times, I'll just take the shower. When I've done a lot of work bending over and my back hurts, then that's when I usually go in there and use it. I've enjoyed it and I like the lights and the jets.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I went to visit my mom in her retirement home and she had an arthritis magazine where there was an advertisement about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs. I told her I would check it out and so I called Safe-Step and got some more information. The sales rep was very professional and courteous. When the installers came, they were top notch and told me what they were going to be doing and how it's coming along. Came in here with a vacuum cleaner and they went all out. I can see whoever hired them for the company, they got some good people there.

I'm very happy with everything about the tub. The jets won't crush your back and you can switch them to your legs and feet. They also have something that gives the water a milky color but afterwards my skin is so soft. And it definitely helps the aches and pains. With tubs, you don’t want to be in there too long and come out looking like a prune or a raisin, but after 20 minutes in this tub and having the jet-like jacuzzi type action going on, my stress melts away. This item is a good investment. The lifetime guarantee on it is unbelievable. If I have any problems, I just have to call a number and somebody will show up and fix it. I chose Safe Step tubs for the fact that it's made in America and it's an American company. They stand behind their product, so it's pretty good. I’d recommend them to anybody.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My dad who's an elderly person thought it was a great idea to get a Safe Step bathtub so we had them come out. The rep was wonderful, told us everything we needed to know and gave us all the options that were available. The installers who came out did a great job but since that time, both mom and dad have had buyers' remorse a little bit. They're not real happy with the function of the product but not the product itself. The fact that my dad can't stand there and take a shower like he used to downstairs is a little discomforting. And my mom actually hasn't even used it yet which is disconcerting to me.

I've let the rep know and he responded in a very timely fashion about what options are available, what we can do and how we can do it. So now I'm trying to get my parents to get the heated seat, the jets and spend their money on what they're happy with. And if there's a way to rig a shower curtain so that my dad can fit/stand while showering they should do it too. I know there's a fixed mount on the top of the tub that makes it very convenient to use while he's sitting but I don't know if they mounted a bracket so that he could technically stand up in the thing, leave the drain up and take a shower because it's what my dad would like to have done. So at this point, we're still in the process of moving forward with this.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My health is dwindling and I have fallen several times. And once I got a good-sized goose egg when I landed on the head. When I saw Safe Step tub from an infomercial kind of thing one day I said to my husband that it's something we have to have. The person who showed us how to use the thing was a wonderful person to be with. Then we wanted to get something for my husband too because he's quite a bit larger than me and they were willing to help us to do that. Everybody gave us a really good experience with everything.

The bathtub is a great thing and I'm very grateful that we went for it. I've taken five and I like them. I'm a little confused still about some of the things and mostly, my husband needs to be able to be at home when I'm getting a bath. I have gotten in one on my own several times but it's a matter of remembering what I've got to do and in what order. I also use the jets and I have tried to use the handheld thing but I can't get it to work. It just goes back and forth constantly because that's the way it's made and I don't know why I can't get them to work with me and my brain. I'm kind of learning from the person who wants to teach me how to use a computer but anyhow, it's a matter of what I've learned and what I have done on my own. The tub is quite a nice thing and it gets me really clean for the first time. Also, I want to encourage people to do it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I already owned a bathtub in my house in West Virginia but this Safe Step is better. I went with Safe Step because of the framework that was underneath it, how stable it was, and the way it was built. It is larger and when I fill it with water, I almost float around. My favorite feature is the warming seat. I am definitely more relaxed because previously, I was stumbling and falling in the tub/shower combination. My other tub was unusually high and I'm 72. I had a hard time getting out and I almost fell several times.

The installation team was wonderful and the sales rep was knowledgeable. The only thing is that on the first day, I had to leave it filled for 24 hours. I got in, took a bath, filled it up again and it worked fine. Now, there is trouble in the drain, it won't hold water. The rep said that he will contact me and come in to take pictures of it, and I'm patiently waiting.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I read about Safe Step in the AARP catalog and they're the only walk-in tub provider that I have seen advertised. I like the jets of the tub where the bubbles come out. Their sales person seemed very nice and the installation was very professional.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Profile

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Co.
402 BNA Drive