Call toll free
4.37/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At Safe Step Walk-In Tubs, we take pride in dedicating the most safe and comfortable walk-in tubs and showers for our customers. All of our products are fitted with the industry’s most accessible low step-in, and are equipped with the best hydrotherapy systems to help relieve pain, enhance mobility and reduce stress.

Every Safe Step product is manufactured in Tennessee, allowing us to continue our legacy of providing lower and more affordable pricing than any of our competitors. We believe in our products so much, we back each walk-in tub and walk-in shower with the most extensive Lifetime Warranty in the industry. With locations across the U.S. and Canada, our team of customer support and technicians are always on call to help you and your family.

We care about providing enjoyable and safe bathing experiences to those in need, that we created an initiative in 2012 to donate walk-in tubs to anyone in need of a safer bathing solution, who could otherwise not afford on their own.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1371 Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 16, 2019

Safe Step is the only one that’s truly made in the United States. It’s a much heavier product and it had a true shower with it as well as aromatherapy. My wife has COPD so when she gets in the tub and soaks in, we’re able to put in eucalyptus or lemon, which opens up her breathing passages. Also, the tub has its own lights in it, so we don’t have to have the lights on in the bathroom. The lights are part of a science called Chromatherapy. She also has trouble sleeping at night, so I have her bathe in blue light and green because green fights insomnia, as well as lavender. The tub also has Microsoothe jets that other companies don't have. That actually goes into the pores and eliminates toxins and acids that create arthritis and pain. It does a total cleansing system all over the body.

We use it more or less three nights in a row and our skin feels 20 years younger. It’s just incredible. What’s really cool is like in the morning when I take a shower, I keep the drain closed and when the water gets to about 8 in or so, I can still use the part of the tub and flip on the foot jets and the leg jets. My feet, toes, the back of my calfs, and my legs are being massaged as I’m taking a shower. I just rub my feet on the surface of the bottom of the floor because it’s a real no-skid surface. My feet are going numb and the stimulation from the massaging causes the circulation in my feet to increase. It puts oxygen into our body so that is knocking that numbness and tingling at my feet just taking a shower. What I’ve been finding, I never stayed in the shower that long. It feels so good.

They say the doctors tell us that if you soak in a Microsoothe for 5 mins it's equal to a one-hour massage. I soak in the Microsoothe for half-hour a night and I feel like Gumby on coil loops coming out of that thing. Also, my feet are starting to get like girly feet so clearly, I’m gonna get out of there and my toenails look like I had a pedicure from that two-hour. It’s unbelievable. And they do things like having a towel bar right on the door. I don’t even have to reach out for it. It’s right there on the outside the door. The guy that owns the company took a look of thought into that tub. There’s a few things I might change a little but it’s well thought out. Since having the tub, an enormous amount of the energy level has boosted in me tremendously.

From start to finish, their customer service is the most professional group of people I’ve ever dealt with in my life. The installation people, the sales, the company itself – I had some questions – they’re fantastic and right on down the line. The pricing’s better as well and Safe Step also gives a lifetime guarantee on everything so if something happens to me, I ain’t got a worry about somebody coming to fix it. They also make their own stuff so it ain’t like they hire Bob and Bobby Joe from around the corner to put the tub in. The guys who do the work are trained by them.

Get expert buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2019

My husband has some hip issues that get a lot of pain shots in it because it's so painful. I thought that a walk-in tub might help with the therapy on his hip. I went online and I've seen the advertisements in different magazines 'cause I have AARP membership. I looked at American Standard. I looked at a Jacuzzi brand. Then, I looked at the Safe Step and it is recommended by AARP and Arthritis Society so I decided to go with that one and they were offering a senior discount.

The sales representative explained and was patient with my husband and me. She was here almost two and a half hours showing us everything in the brochure and doing the paperwork. She was wonderful and I thought she did a good job representing the tub. The guys that came out to do the install were very professional and they put a mask on the floor to keep the dirt down. Needless to say, they had to cut my existing tub and shower enclosure in pieces to get it out of that small area to the opening. I had a lot of sawdust-like white crap everywhere after they left. It's all through the house.

But they cleaned up the floor itself, swept it and put a decent thing. However, that stuff went through all the air conditioning because the AC was blowing. I knew that I've had some cleanup because there was no way they could catch all that and go all through the house and dust the furniture. They were very careful with everything 'cause we had wood. My husband had custom made this bathroom and put a wood ceiling in it where the tub enclosure was and down the wall. The installers made sure that none of that got damaged and they put the tub in and everything was great there. It's just after they left, I realized that the door wasn't straight because it doesn't shut enough and that should have some privacy at least.

I'm not happy with the way they left my wall that they put a socket in. They cut the hole too big and the plate doesn't fit. I'm also not happy where they left my door casing. They had to take that down in the door to get the tub into the bathroom. It's such a small area. When they put it back in, they didn't put it in straight and it's locked at the top sticking out. The guy is supposed to come back with a plate to cover the mess, but he hasn't so I called the main office and they're supposed to be sending somebody out the next day.

I'm also not happy with the seat not being fully heated and the back heated. The second thing in the brochure says that the back and seat of the tub are heated. Only half of the seat heats and the man told us that's all it's supposed to do. My husband got upset and said that he wanted both cheeks warm, not just one cheek. They're gonna look into that when they come tomorrow as well. These are little minor issues and I don't like it because I figured I paid a lot of money for this thing. Other than that, the tub works good as far as the therapy part. The massage and that kind of stuff is great. The jets for the seat doing all that was is wonderful. I didn't go with the cheap one, as I could have got one from Home Depot. But the tub is excellent and wonderful.

Original review: May 1, 2019

We were doing a full remodel on our guest bathroom and we were planning on staying in this house until we retire. We are not of retirement age but I have a lot of mobility issues at the moment so, we were looking to replace the bathtub with something that would bring us into our old age. We ran across Safe Step and it was kind of a geriatric look and I am not a geriatric yet, so I didn’t wanna go down that path. But when the sales rep came and told us all about all the different features, they were great. We decided that, in spite of the fact that it’s not the prettiest thing on the planet, we would get one.

I had a list of questions and the salesperson was knowledgeable about everything. I liked that she was not all about pushing a sale. When I heard early on what the price was, I told her that that was not what we had budgeted for a bathroom. The cost of the tub exceeded what the budget was to redo the entire bathroom and we’re having custom-cabinetry made so, I was shocked about the price but she went ahead and somehow made me interested in hearing more. It was a good experience with her. She was a real person and seemed honest.

Our house was built in the 80’s and installation was not as easy as anticipated. Normally, all they have to do is take the door frame off to get the new tub in. They had to cut into our sheet rock to get the tub in and we had just had the entire house repainted and had some sheet rock work done. Now, I’m left with having to repair both the inside and outside of the bathroom. The last thing I wanna do is deal with mud, and sanding and painting, but that’s where I’m left with. That was not ideal, but the installers were very knowledgeable and they were very nice people. They were a married couple and they were super nice and quick in spite of the fact they ran into some snags at our house. They dealt with that. So, they were here a little bit longer than they had anticipated, but they were lovely about it. Aside from having more work to do after the installation was done, it went smoothly.

I have been able to use the tub and I like it, but I wish that it was deeper. The amount of water that it takes to fill it is substantial and I am 5’8”, so it’s kind of average height but when I’m sitting in that tub, I have to put myself in a very strange position in order to submerge myself. It is a position that I will not be able to do when I’m an old lady. The water barely gets over the jets on your back and I’m still hardly submerged. It might come up to maybe my belly button so, I turn my body around and float in the water with my calves and feet in the seat, and my butt floating in the large part of the water, and my head sticking out over where the faucets are. So, it is a little bit of a distortion to get into that position. I can also soak by being on my knees with my upper body leaning on the seat, which is a really weird way of doing things, but it’s the only way I can get fully submerged.

For the amount of money I spent, I wish I was absolutely thrilled with absolutely every aspect of it, and I’m not. It needs to be perfect and it’s not, which is a shame. I don’t hate it so bad that I want them to take it out. We’ll keep it but it’s a huge expenditure for it’s not, to me, perfect. It will be perfect for someone shorter who is maybe 5’3”. They might be more submerged although they still have to use a whole lot of water. Also, the heated seat only heats the back and it doesn’t get very warm, so it’s pointless.

I’m not disappointed in the tub even though it kinda sounds like I am. I got tiny bubbles, the regular jets and the light features. I got all of the whistles and bells, and I’ve used all of them except for the aromatherapy largely because I use bath bombs frequently, but I really like the tiny bubbles and the handheld shower head. I’ve actually showered in that bathtub and washed my hair in there, just sitting in the seat one day, when I was hurting really bad and I just was not in the mood to stand up in the master bathroom shower. It was good and nice in that regard.

The service was very good and I’m assuming that what I was told was accurate, that in the event I need to have someone come out, it’s likely gonna be the same people who installed it. Even if it’s not the same people, it is their staff installers which is appealing to me, because often, service people don’t know the first thing about products. So, at least the bathtub people, they know what they’re doing and if I ever need service, I am assured that whoever comes out here is gonna really know the product, and that’s how good they are.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I had been researching other tubs for a number of years for my wife's arthritis. She takes medication for the arthritis which is not as relieving, and we were looking to get something for pain relief and relaxation. From all my research, including talking with a therapist and other medical professionals, the therapy tub seems to be the way to go for relief from such things as arthritis.

I have communicated with other walk-in tub companies and they've all declined to even send a salesman out because we own a mobile home and the tubs are too heavy for the floor. But the bathroom has a garden tub which has 80 gallons capacity and the Safe Step walk-in tub or step-in tub has 75 gallons capacity or weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. Doing a simple math about it tells us right then and there that the floor is gonna hold. So while the other tub companies had declined to even talk about it, Safe Step, responded quickly to my inquiry. The demeanor of Safe Step's reps was very good, and I was satisfied with that.

Safe Step sent out their sales rep, Quinn, in two days. He was not very pushy, and I had very good interactions with him. He was very informative, and he answered all of our questions very professionally. I spent a number of years in sales management, and I was able to recognize someone who was sincere in his sales pitch. I had very good interactions with the installation team as well. They were also very professional. They answered any questions I had, and they were in and out. They did a very good job because the tub works quite well now, although my wife feels that the tub should cost less so seniors like us who are on Social Security and nothing else can afford them better.

Meanwhile, I have one suggestion for their engineering department. There is a knob which controls the air-water ratio, and when the water shoots out of the jets, you can add just water or almost just air. The knob is made out of either plastic or a polished chrome fitting, and it's very difficult to grasp especially for someone who is our age and has arthritis. So I would recommend to Safe Step’s engineering department, and I can even help them design it, being a retired engineer, that the knob be made easier for folks to grab. Also, the diameter of the knob is only about an inch and a quarter. A larger diameter and a knurled or a rubberized grip would really make a big difference in the performance of the tub.

My wife uses the Safe Step walk-in tub every day. She likes the water jets and the micro bubbles which are exfoliating and very pleasing. My wife now walks easier, and that has made a big difference because she's a wheelchair-bound individual. She either sits in a wheelchair, or I help her over into her power recliner. Now, she finds some relief, and if that relief keeps up with the weight, I keep telling her she'd be tap dancing in no time at all. So the tub works for her, and it worked better than pain pills. We've only been using the tub for two weeks now, maybe less, but I like to be able to see her walking too. I'm quite satisfied with the tub.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Our Safe Step rep went by a script. I was sure he was taught to do it, but I wish that we had more information and less of the script. I've sold things in the past, and I've learned that that's not the best way to be a good salesman. We didn't end up finding out about some of the things that we were curious about until later. Then, I had the most horrible experience I've had in a long time with the installation team that came. They were smart aleck. I have an office here in my home, and I have an employee, and both of us were really surprised at some of the smart alecky stuff that went on.

During the installation, the only time I went in there was when they took out our old shower. I looked to make sure that there was no water damage behind the old shower, and there was none. There wasn't even a ring where water had dripped, and I was really excited about that. When they were getting finished, they asked me to sign a paper. I signed it, but the paper said that I was completely satisfied and that there were no problems. They did some sheetrock damage and so I put it there. Evidently, that went to the home office and everybody saw it, so the man who is in charge in North Carolina called the installer. The guy from the installation team told that man that we had told him there was no problem with the sheetrock damage, and that we were getting ready to remodel the bathroom anyway, which was a complete lie. That was never said and there was no reason to say it.

The guy also told me that the home office called and told him that I called in and complained about the sheetrock. I told him that when I called in, I didn't even mention that. I also told him that if they record calls like they say they do, he'd find out. We weren't even complaining about the sheetrock, I just put it on the paper that there was sheetrock damage. We never asked them to fix it or said, "When are you coming back?" Randall and I had already agreed that we would fix it so between us, it was a moot point. But then, I don't like being lied to. That burns me up.

What I called about was a crease that was made in the place where the shelf joined what was already there at the tub. When my husband took a shower the next morning, the water went down that crease like a little channel and ran out into the floor, and he didn't know it. It went all into the guest bedroom and all over the guest bedroom carpet. I called Safe Step and told them that that channel was an issue, that we've never had water damage, and that we couldn't deal with water damage at that time. I also told them that I'd deal with the sheetrock, but I would not deal with the water damage. Randall was so upset and told me to tell Safe Step to get the tub. He was not having it. He can't even take a shower in it.

But the guy still complained. I told him that I wanted them to come out here and talk to me about my options and he said, "I don't have time to come out there." I thought, "Well, you got our check for $15,000. You didn't have to wait on anything." The guy told me that all he could do was put up an $11 piece of plastic. I told him I also wanted to talk about the glass doors and that I wanted someone to come and show me what my options were. He told me that he didn't have time, and so I told him to just take the tub back. I wasn't trying to ask for anything or to get anything for free. I just wanted to know what my options were. He then told me that he didn't know when he could come and that he'll call me and let me know.

He called me and said that he could be here by next Thursday. When they came out here, he came out with that piece of plastic that he bought for $11. He told me that that was all they could do, and to take it or leave it. I told him I wanted to see what it was, but he didn't even want to show me anything. I asked him how wide the door was and how it would swing out. I had a yardstick to see for myself how it would be because if the glass doors would look better, I'll get the glass doors. He took out a measuring tape. It's our secondary bathroom and it's a small one. There's a wall that protrudes out, and when he showed me the length of the door and how it went, that door would have been a real handicap.

When I saw that, I said, "Okay, well let's go ahead and try that piece, and if that works, that's fine." He told me that he needed some alcohol to clean the tub because there was a lot of soap scum on it. We've had a towel on it since day one because it leaked all over our floor. I didn't know what soap scum he thinks is in my house, but I didn't appreciate it. I guess he just says I'm a **. That was basically his attitude towards me. Also, he had his hands on Nicole's back every time he walked into the office, and she told me that she was creeped out. I gave him the alcohol, he put the thing on, and it has worked fine. It's not a problem and it doesn't look bad. As for the damaged sheetrock, they came back and dabbed some caulk there. But they didn't really attempt to fix the damage.

Overall, the tub is a great product and it's a huge deal for me. I love it and I'm in it every single day. My husband got it as a surprise for me. I was thrilled to death. I have bad knees and I have trouble walking. I stay inside the tub for two hours and I feel so much better when I get out of it. My legs are not swelling like they were. I would recommend Safe Step's tub to anybody. The installers, however, weren't worth a continental slip.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs response

Hi Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear that you did not have a good installation experience. Our intention is for every customer to be comfortable during the process of buying our products, from start to finish. I apologize that it was not for you, and thank you for making us aware of this. Please call our customer service department to make them aware of this interaction. It's so great to hear you still enjoy your tub, but I want to make sure you and your husband get everything resolved. I hope this helps, and thank you for writing a review!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: May 16, 2019

The sales rep from Safe Step I had was excellent. He had good manners and good salesmanship. Then, the installers came in and they did the job and cleaned up after everything. I love the tub and I’m satisfied with it.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Safe Step installed a walk-in tub for me. While the tub is very expensive, I can’t stand so I can’t shower but I can get in the tub. My experience with Safe Step's representative was fine, and the installation team did all right. One of the things for the jet thing blew out. And also, I’m getting hot water out of my cold spigot. But Safe Step was contacting the installer and he's gonna come back. Overall, the company could take a little more time in explaining the features of their product, how to use them and what they’re used for.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I had Safe Step come and talk to me. I had been looking at other tubs also but I went with them because of the availability of the features, as far as getting me in and out. The installation seemed to be fine. It started at about 9:00 and they started wrapping up a little after 5:00. They did a really thorough job as far as insulating the well-holes and checking the drainage. And since using the tub, it has been easier for me. If anyone is considering buying from Safe Step, I would tell them to check on as far as what they believe they might want and go from that. It seemed like a more thorough job to make.

Original review: May 14, 2019

When the Safe Step rep did the presentation, we liked everything that he had to say about the walk-in tub. He was very, very knowledgeable about it. The installation team was wonderful too. They had to take another shower out from our bathroom, and they had to put another wall to the end. So, it took them longer. But they got it all in one day and in the daylight. They cleaned up really good after they had finished and took everything in their cars. They didn't leave any trash at our house, so that was good.

My husband had five surgeries on one knee, and the walk-in tub seems to be helping him a lot to walk better. He has less aches and pains. I'm not a sit still person but it seems very relaxing to take a bath in that. We like all of the jets. We really enjoy the heated seat and the jets. We also like it with the water changing colors. I've recommended Safe Step to a customer of mine.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I was very impressed with Safe Step when Frank, the representative, came out to talk about it. He told us all about the tub and what to expect. I went with them and the installers were very courteous and friendly. James was the head of the team and he was wonderful. They got here in the morning and they had everything prepared so they wouldn’t harm my floors. And if I had any questions whatsoever, they answered them fully. Then, when they left at night, I couldn't even tell they had been here. It was amazing to me that they took the time to be so thorough with cleaning up. They were extremely professional and nice to talk to. Also, I like everything about the tub, including the heater and the jets.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Jennifer from Safe Step was telling me how their product works and compared to some of these other places, I wanted something that would last. Safe Step also backed their product, so I decided to go with them. The guys that came out here were wonderful as well. They ought to make a lot of money because they were carpenters, electricians, and plumbers all rolled up in one. They were really nice Christian guys, too. They even laid down some kind of drop cloth that ran all the way through the living room into the bathroom. I'm a little bit addicted to the tub and it really gives me something to look forward to. I also like that you can put the oil in the bathtub and even the palms of my hand feels softer.

Original review: May 13, 2019

We had a very pleasant experience with the Safe Step sales rep that came out. He told us that once they had installed the tub, he would bring us some liquids that goes into the tub. But it has been a month and he has not brought those out yet. We still take showers, but the walk-in tub is very helpful. Both my knees has been replaced, and I don’t have a high step to get into a regular bathtub. I wish that the seat that you sit on while you're in the tub is a little bit longer out. You don’t get a chance to stretch out.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I heard about Safe Step on the radio and I decided to call somebody and they came out here. The tub is guaranteed for the whole time I got it. If I were to have any problems, all I gotta do is call them. Also, it comes with a free shower so, I went on and got one. The installers did a good job. They got here at about 10:00 and at about 5:00, they were through. We've had the tub for three weeks now and I enjoy it.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I liked Safe Step's salesman. Their installer was good as well and it took eight hours to complete the installation. I also like the jets feature of the tub and that setting that you push for the hydrotherapy.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Safe Step had the shower, so I decided to purchase from them. Getting a little more explanation about stuff with the tub from their sales rep instead of just having to read it was good. And sometimes, if you hear somebody talking about it, you could ask more questions. The installation also went well. Once the installers came, I had somewhere to go. But I got back home before they finished everything because they had to show me how to use it. They got here about 8:30 in the morning and they left between 3:00 and 4:00.

So far, I'm getting used to my Safe Step tub. I mostly use the handheld shower thing and I use the rain shower part because I've taken mostly showers since I haven't had time to do a lot of sitting back and relaxing. But I've tried that twice and I couldn't get the water up high enough. The biggest problem I've had is that I don't have enough hot water to be able to fill the tub up. And if my hot water heater wasn't the right size, they should've told me from the get-go. They all looked at it and said it'd do but I don't know whether there's something wrong with my hot water heater. I've already talked to them about it and they're addressing it. In fact, I'm getting someone to come out and look at that.

Original review: May 12, 2019

My wife had a neck and back surgery. She couldn’t get into the normal conventional tub, so I got a Safe Step for her, which was number one in comparison on the net. It was a good experience all the way around, from the sales guy to installers. But when they had the tub installed, they figured out they got the wrong size. The salesperson said it would fit right to the door but it didn't. The installers had to open up the whole wall to get the tub in which they didn't say. It was a different size from what I had purchased. So, they gave me a $750 refund for tearing up my wall.

Having the Safe Step tub is like day and night versus trying to get into a normal conventional bathtub, plus the jets and everything. It helps my wife's back, knees, and ankles because she had a knee replacement as well. Also, what I really like is it's like a turnkey thing. The factory/installer is one person. That’s a lot of help versus buying a product and getting a private contractor to do the work. Safe Step did everything from manufacturing to delivery to installation. If you're gonna get a walk-in tub, go with them.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I'm a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Terry Bradshaw. He is a very funny guy. When I saw that Safe Step had that shower thing going and he was so happy in that tub, I took a look at it. So it was a Terry Bradshaw thing that fired us up. I got everything except the football. We're enjoying the tub very much. We are happy that we got it.

The sales rep that we dealt with was very polite and she wasn't too pushy. She let me digest the full presentation. At the end of the day, I called her back and placed the order. She was very knowledgeable about the product, and really went into the hardware of it. It took the installation crew a couple of days to put it in. Chris was the guy in-charge, and he was such a polite individual. I was there during the installation and he was concerned about my being comfortable the whole time. They completely redid the bathroom and they made it perfect. The quality is perfect. I really enjoy it. It is a very small bathroom but it works good because there are no steps. It is a straight walk to the tub and it is easy to walk in. We're glad we got that shower thing. It was a really good experience.

Original review: May 11, 2019

The VA recommends Safe Step, and I’m a veteran and I’m 100% disabled. The sales rep was great. He explained everything right and we had no questions when he left. And then when the installation guys came to put the tub in, they did a good job. They didn’t make a mess, cleaned up, took the old tub out, set it outside for us, and my neighbors got tomatoes growing in it now.

We like everything about the tub. My wife got in the other night and put the micro bubbles on, and the top of the water was like white. And she says, “Man, I hope that ain’t all my skin!” And it was because she’s been in the hospital. My skin's dry and flaky, so I gotta get in it too. The only thing I don’t understand is the scent stuff. I put the drops in, but nothing comes out and we don’t smell anything. Other than that, the jets are all fine. I didn’t get it filled full enough the other day when my wife was in it. We turned that on, and we had water going everywhere. But that was our fault. We gotta make sure we got the jets covered up.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I was gonna have a friend of mine put a shower in for me and he said he couldn't handle it. He saw Safe Step's advertisement, so I talked to them. The sales rep I dealt with was really good and he did everything he could for me. The guys who installed the product were awesome as well. They'd done everything they were supposed to and they laid pads down on my carpet. Then they vacuumed the floor and down the hallway after they got finished. It's been four weeks now and my the product is awesome. I would highly recommend it.

Original review: May 10, 2019

The Safe Step sales rep was knowledgeable and friendly. She was good. My husband was here during the installation and he said it went good. He uses the walk-in tub and he likes the jets.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I called Safe Step and had them come out. After the presentation, I didn't need to talk to anybody else. I knew this was the one I wanted. I had a soaker tub and I slipped and fell and hurt myself a few weeks before. My husband and I were talking and we decided that a Safe Step tub might keep us home longer. As we get older, having a tub like this might keep us in our home before going to an assisted living because we would be able to take a bath without falling. The installers came out and they were wonderful. They came at 10:30 and were gone at 5:00. They had to take out the old tub and the surround around it. I thought I was gonna have to hire somebody to paint after they leave because I thought they would tear out something and I would have to replace it. But they did not make a mess whatsoever and they did a perfect job.

I love the tub and the jets and we're enjoying it. We keep saying it's the best thing we ever did. I like the handheld shower and that it has the essential oils. And it's like a piece of architecture. It's beautiful and I'm happy to have it. Everything worked out and it's very easy to clean. We live in a retirement community and I've been showing the tub to my friends and neighbors. A lot of them have come over to see it and I'm hoping somebody will want one.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I like that Safe Step's products are US made. I chose to buy from them and the rep I dealt with was nice. He was easy to work with and explained exactly what it was. I liked that and we got everything we were supposed to get. The installers were also good people. They've done everything they were supposed to do and I had no problem with them. You could tell they've been doing it for a while. They were courteous, too, and they won us all. I like the tub's feature that sprays on my back as well as that little bidet thing. It washes everything clean. And as long as I don't get fatter, I'll be all right because you got to be sitting down and holding that door.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Updated on 05/17/2019: 5/15, tub flooded bathroom again. Telephoned Crystal @ Safe. 5/16, Ashley said I would have to pay for any further service. NO, NO. "Best Warranty Guarantee"??? Service appt. due 5/17. (This is an update to previous post.)

Original review: +=Heated seat, jets for feet & back, skin-pore softner, service replaced parts @ no cost to me. -=Price (19,488$), with-in two years of purchase tub has flooded bathroom twice and kitchen once. Similar experience to a "lemon" auto. No refund or request replacement.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I saw one particular model of Safe Step Walk-in Tub on TV and I liked the showerhead. Then the person that came to the house explained everything and showed a couple of videos. The installation team was excellent and I had no complaints with them. The guy did a top-notch job. I'm very mechanical myself so I know what to look for and do. But I kinda trusted without having to worry about what they were doing. My biggest fear is to have somebody put the tub in that wasn’t good so I stayed home through the whole process to make sure that they did the right job, but I didn’t even have to watch them. They were right on it. Things that I thought I would be complaining about, they took care of before I could say anything so it was a smooth thing.

I liked that I can slide the showerhead up and down and also have a shower with it like a regular shower 'cause I didn’t want just a regular tub. The only complaint that we have is the jets. We don’t think they're strong enough. But other than that, I love everything in it as well as the microbubbles. I've been looking at walk-in tubs for a while. I'm not that old and I'm not dire in need of one. I wanted it for a different purpose, just something to relax. It's nice to have a tub that can get in and not lay down in. A lot of days, I look forward to go home and use it.

Definitely baths are better than showers in a lot of ways. I enjoy it. My grandson really loved it too. He had a ball in it like a mini pool for him. It's perfect for him. It's everything I thought it would be. I was a little leery about my hot water heater in the beginning, but I turned it up and it seemed to be fine. It seems to be just perfect for what I have. I didn’t have to change anything on that and we have really good water pressure where we're at so that worked out.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I like sitting in my Safe Step tub when I have time. When I bought it, their guy came out and explained it all to me. He explained it like it was pretty good and I ended up buying from them. The installers also did a good job.

Original review: May 9, 2019

We saw an ad in the paper for Safe Step Walk-in Tubs and I saw it on TV as well. A guy came here and told us about it. He explained it very good and showed us brochures. Then, we went on about the prices and we decided to get the shower. The installation team came in at 8:30 in the morning and they were done at 4:30. They were very good people and cleaned up. When they left, there was no mess. I like the wand, the shower and the seat. I’ve showered in it twice so far but I’m gonna be using it more. I also like the way you turn it on and off. I’m very satisfied with Safe Step.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I liked what Safe Step had to say, and the man who came out and spoke to us, Tony, was very knowledgeable and excellent as far as being able to answer our questions. And we had talked to other people before about having a tub put in and we weren’t really impressed with their ability to answer the questions. The Safe Step guy was really fantastic, and he’s been amazing even since the installation. He didn’t give us a lot of information I didn’t need or didn’t want. So, I’m very glad that we went with Safe Step.

The installation team was phenomenal. They came, they explained, they did everything, and I’ve been so happy with it. My Safe Step is the best investment I’ve ever made. And even now that it’s in, the Safe Step team is still available if I have questions. And you don’t know all the things you don’t know until after they’re gone, and you’re left with the tub, and now, you’re trying to figure it all out, but they’ve been there and answered questions. And so, I’m very happy with Safe Step. They did a great job.

I really like everything about my Safe Step tub. The installers did it to perfection. They made it look perfect like it was there forever. And they finished off the walls so that everything flows. It doesn’t look like it wasn’t there when we put the bathroom in. I’ve had several fractures. I was in a car accident, and I needed to have something that I could get into to take a bath. And that was the only thing that I really could do - bath or a shower. And I don’t like a shower, so I went for the tub, and I’m glad I did. I hope somebody gets it done too because it’s the best investment you could make.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I was only 57 and I couldn’t safely get in and out of the tub I had. So I needed to replace it with something. I liked Safe Step's cost and their salesman was very good. He explained everything and I decided to buy from them. The installers were also efficient. I replaced an old two-person Jacuzzi tub and they came in with their saw drill and chopped it up in little pieces, which took within an hour. They got both tubs done in a couple of hours and they did a very good job.

So far, I've used my Safe Step a couple of times and I like the back jets. But I don’t think it has enough jets. The foot jets are pretty much useless and the other ones in the back that kinda hit my calf don’t do any good for me because when I’m sitting, I kinda float, so my feet go to the front and those two jets coming out of the front work good on the bottom of my feet. But then, the jets that would normally hit my calves are just pushing water and by the time they hit my calves, there’s no real benefit.

Original review: May 7, 2019

The sales representatives at Safe Step were all good. And the guys that put the Safe Step tub in were fantastic. The first time my mother got in the Safe Step tub, she was sort of scared. She won't get in unless I'm here. And then after that, she got a little better and she's doing great. It really helps her. We're very happy with Safe Step. I'm standing beside the tub and doing everything for my mother while she bathes. She bathes and I turn on the whirlpools and everything. I really like the jets, but they're tiny. And when they come up, they look like a cloud, and they clean your pores. I did try it and I loved it.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I was impressed with Safe Step's sales rep. Unfortunately, I swallowed everything he said, so it didn't all pan out. I thought that the tub was going to be bigger than it was and that I would have more room to move around. He also implied that I would never have to clean the tub and that it cleaned itself. But those are not true. He talked about the exfoliation of the skin as a big thing but that's not true either. Also, I have to sit down in order to close the door and I should be able to close the door without sitting. But if I stand, the door edge scrapes my abdomen. So they need to take their design into consideration there. But it is a wonderful tub, if you want to sit down in the water, which I couldn't do before for 10 years, and wait for 20 minutes for the tub to fill up to my waist. That isn't the fault of the tub though. My water pressure is not grand, but I don't know what to do about that except to have a new pump to put on the water.

Other than that, everything else seemed to be in order. The installer was very nice. He had his son and a helper with him and they were all very polite, well-mannered and clean in themselves. And I appreciated their courtesy. He also did a very good job except for cleaning up. I had dust and pieces of the tiny particles of glass from the porcelain all over the bathroom after he left. But I'm not very well visioned, so I didn't find it until I came upon it accidentally and I had to clean the walls of the bathroom because of the extreme dust. Also, I had a cast-iron tub and I thought that he would saw it up or somehow break it up more gently than they did. But he pounded it apart with a sledgehammer and that was where all the dust came from. Had I known that was going to be the case, I would have run some plastic around. He said he was going to clean it up but he didn't do it well.

Despite that, I like my Safe Step tub well enough. I have to remind myself that spending $14,000 was worth it and not to worry about how far down my savings it took me in order to be able to get into the water to take a shower with more safety. Also, their 100% guarantee on the product and the labor for any problems that might come up for the life of the house and the tub is very significant because it has a lot of electronics involved in it.

Safe Step Walk-In Tub expert review by Shelley Webb

Providing American-made walk-in tubs since 2008, this company focuses on designs that provide consumers with in-home spa-like experiences. Built for comfort and safety, these walk-in tubs are available at several licensed service locations across the United States and Canada. The company is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee.

• Therapy options: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are outfitted with hydrotherapy, aerotherapy, chromatherapy and aromatherapy systems. The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines whirlpool and air massage for a full-feature spa experience.

• Personal Hygiene Therapy: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are outfitted with a Personal Hygiene Therapy system. This feature includes specially positioned jets on the seat of the tub to act as a bidet. To keep water fresh, tubs are also equipped with a Safe Water Ozone Cleaning System that purifies water through the tub’s jets.

• Aluminum frame: Most tubs have steel frames, but the frames of Safe Step Walk-in Tubs are made of aircraft-grade aluminum. The frame is lightweight, allowing for easier installation, without sacrificing durability.

• Ordering process: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs works with consumers through every step of the ordering process. They begin with a free quote and offer consultation for pricing and financing. Safe Step Walk-in Tubs also provides certified installation service.

• Discounts: Safe Step Walk-in Tubs offers special discounts for their products. With savings up to $1,500 and complimentary upgrades, Safe Step Walk-in Tubs works to save consumers money.

• Walk-in showers: Safe Step also sells walk-in shower suites. If you need to convert your shower into a safer, more convenient bathroom space, Safe Step can help you.

• Best for: individuals with limited mobility, those with chronic pain, senior citizens and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information