4.2/5 (189 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Verified

I have a stage 4 cancer patient at my home who is 70 years old... We got Safe Step's walk-in tub and it's a very nice product. ... My mom uses it weekly, if not almost every day t...

Verified

We’ve really been enjoying our Safe Step. The installation went great. ...I expected a lot more mess. The installers were extremely neat. There was very little dirt, and the produ...

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
    • Two grab bars
    • Anti-slip flooring
    • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
    • A hand-held shower wand
    • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof a floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling and draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

All Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that's part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most standout luxury features are its Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System and its MicroSoothe Air Therapy System.

The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.

The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft.

MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, which allows for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub lets users also have the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual showerheads and all of the safety features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices vary depending on the model you choose and the difficulty of installation. Some of the issues that affect installation quotes are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job because of the difference in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs come in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQ

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?
    Safe Step designs its walk-in tubs to fit into standard bathtub spaces. This means that if you have a regular bathtub, the walk-in tub will fit in the same area. Some walk-in tubs can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each user.
    What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?
    Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. The warranty covers manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters, blowers, parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.
    What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?
    A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. The company only sends installers that have been screened and are certified and fully insured. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete. Safe Step backs its installation process with a lifetime warranty on labor.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Its representatives determine pricing on a case-by-case basis, so you won’t know your total cost until you go through the free consultation. However, the quote you receive includes the installation cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: June 28, 2022

Safe Step's salesperson came out and did an excellent job of selling me on the walk-in tub. But there are a couple of things that I haven't heard from anybody since they installed. Other than that, the installers were very proficient and they did an excellent job. Everybody’s been extremely professional. I paid $19,500 for my Safe Step and it's a big investment. At the time I got it, I was debating whether to upgrade my truck or get something for my back. I'm glad that I got the Safe Step and I like the jets on it that are on my lower back.

But I have a 40-gallon hot water heater, which is only a year-and-a-half old, and it's not big enough because I run out of hot water about 10 gallons before I can start the thing working right. I've worked a way around this hot water problem though. I get all the hot water in, then I use the handheld shower, and I get nice and clean. Then I turn the heater on. It takes about 10 minutes and I can get more hot water. I also told my wife when I'm using it to not wash dishes or the clothes. But she can flush the toilet since that’s cold water.

Aside from that, the brochure that Safe Step gave me is for an older model. I got the rain shower way up top and I got the handheld shower, and all the instructions I have on that doesn't have those two items. And there are a couple of things that I don't know what they are, like the micro. I’ve got to call the main headquarters and see if they have an updated brochure because if you can operate this tub, you can fly a plane. It’s got a lot of features but there are only three that I don't know what they're for. My wife thinks she does, but the other day, she flooded the bathroom because she forgot to lock the door in.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I called Safe Step and the reps came out and assessed what they could do. They were perfect as far as telling us what we're going to have and how they're going to do it. They came in when they said they would be here and they came in with their crew. They took out the shower which we had in there. They even had to take parts of the doorframe off but you wouldn't know it. Everything is perfect. The tub fits right exactly where the shower was. They never touched my vanity place at all and didn't have to move anything. It's exactly the way it was except it's brighter, clean and white. So, I changed the colors to light blue as far as the rug. When they were done, I couldn't be happier. I never dreamed that they would get this done in one day and they cleaned up. Everything is beautiful.

Safe Step are wonderful people to do business with and you get exactly what they say. Everything is spotless and you wouldn't even know they were here. They had a close up this window and put a wall. My husband is singing his praises all the time. He loves the place, which is a good addition to the house. My husband loves the walk-in tub. He's in it all the time. It’s got so many jets. It is a miracle how the jets hit the right spot, especially around the knees. So, he's enjoying it because he's perpetually outside. I'm handicapped and when I got hurt, he built a whole ramp for me out the back, but that meant putting a door on and railings out there, and he just never stops. I love a shower and I like to wash my hair in the shower and I'm all rinsed off. But my husband loves it because his legs are bothering him. So, this is the best thing we could have done. It's everything that people could possibly want.

Original review: April 10, 2022

The sales rep was great, and installation was good. It took most of the day for them to put the tub in because they had a bit of trouble. They had to remove some stuff out of my bathroom and resituate things. I like the Safe Step tub. I love that I can sit up and use it, and I can do exercises in it. It's not a lot of room, but I can push myself up and down with my arm so I can get some arm exercises. I also like the showers in it as well as being able to sit in there, and it does whirlpool around. So it gives me some benefits. I like the jets on my back as well.

There's a couple of things that I wish were different though. Unfortunately, my right knee is affected, and that's the knee that hits the door. There's no jet that hits that leg, and I really need it to do that, but just being able to sit in hot water is a good thing. The other thing is, it’s much smaller than I thought it would be. If I weighed 110 pounds, that would be fantastic. I'd be really happy and I’d fit in it great, but I weigh 230 pounds. So walking in it, I open the door and I have to turn sideways, squeeze myself around the back of the door, then close it. It's same thing with getting out of it. I gotta get towards the front where the shower is, open the door, and squeeze my way around that door again to get out, which is a little inconvenient for me.

I wish the door was a little bigger. It also looks like there's a little splitting in the seam where they put it together and did the caulking, so I’ll have them come back out and fix that part. Other than that, it's a great tub. My grandkids, my family and I use it. Sometimes I have to wait till 2 o'clock in the morning to use it because everybody else has been in it.

Original review: March 7, 2022

We called Safe Step to see what it would cost to get a walk-in, so they made the appointment to come and talk. The guy came and he was here for hours. He gave a spiel and we had purchased the product before he left. All we wanted was an estimate and we were going to check different places, but nobody would give you an estimate without coming and talking to you. So, we didn't even get a second estimate. Plus, he guy wouldn't leave till we said yes. Then, it was about a week or so before they came back. But that was no problem because they had to almost take my bathroom apart to get it in. We knew it was going to happen and we have two bathrooms, so that was not a problem. The guys that came for the installation were marvelous and it took them all day. They were like part of the family.

I love the tub and I spent about an hour in it yesterday. But it doesn't take all that much water. I would use that much water in the shower, and I have used it as a shower also. But I love the fact that you can just sit and enjoy and, at the same time, get a body massage. I needed to spend more time getting to know the controls though. I was standing there and watching the installer. He already had the tub filled up before I went, then he would show me the different things to use. But he was just the installer and he didn't know everything about the tub.

On the first time I got in it, I flooded the bathroom. I didn't close the door all the way and I thought I had the lever down, which I pushed as far as it would go, but I needed to put a little weight behind it before and push it all the way. So, I thought that I closed it and started the water running. It started filling up and when I looked out, there was water all over my floor. But that was okay as I cleaned the floor same time I cleaned myself. Other than that, the walk-in is gorgeous. It's so pleasing and with the water massage, I don't think I wasted my money. It will also increase the value of the house if we ever sell it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Safe Step was in this area and they could install the tub, so bought from them. I also like the fact that I could get in and out of the tub, since I'd fallen three times with the new house I moved into with the tub that was there. My sales rep was Patrick and he was wonderful. He went through all the different material in addition to the material that I already had and he helped me through all the steps of getting what I wanted.

Then, I had three guys here for the installation. First off, they came in and laid down tarps everywhere in the house they'd have to go through. Then, they dropped the tub in and made sure that I could get in and out of it before they went about tearing out the old tub and different things in that wall. After that, they were in the crawlspace underneath and found a damaged pipe. They repaired that while they were down there setting everything up, then they put in and tested everything. They were here for about nine hours because the door wasn't feeling right for them. It hadn't been adjusted at the factory. I've also used the tub now for about three weeks and I noticed that I have a leak in the door. And if you're sitting in the tub with the air and the water going, it will bubble up the back. So, you have to have an extra towel on the floor there that you can soak totally as it comes up the backside of the tub. I've got to get a hold of Patrick about that.

Other than that, they did such a nice job with the installation. My cousin stopped by later that night and admired all of their ground work. This is a guy who's particular in his contracting job and he told me that I need to make sure and give them a special thank you for all the work they did. So far, I like the jet action on the tub because I can't get around anymore. I am wheelchair and walker-bound, so I like that can get in and out of the tub. And with the bubbling and even sitting there, I can do bicycle with my legs and give myself a little bit of leg exercises, which I can't do other than there. I've also recommended Safe Step to people who've been in the house.

Original review: June 26, 2022

Safe Step did a good job. But I wish I would have had an extra grab bar installed. The guy asked me at the time if I needed another one and I wish I would have told him, yes, but I didn't. So, other than that, the tub seems to be working fine. It's so easy to take a bath or a shower. I don't have to move a bunch of stuff around and it's much more convenient.

Original review: June 24, 2022

The salesman sold Safe Step with a good pitch, but I'm not real happy with it. The tub has leaked ever since I've had it. I've had them out and I've called and called, and I called three weeks ago. I told the girl, “Hey, look. You told me to pop the button out and I went by the instructions. Well, the top of it broke off.” She said, “Well, we're gonna have to come out and service it, and it's gonna be $179.” We're paying for that thing when I paid for it. It shouldn't be leaking. I should be having better results than what I'm getting.

Original review: June 20, 2022

I was pleased with the Safe Step rep. Also, the crew was fine. But considering the fact that the representatives are not local, I know whatever issue I have it would take time for them to get here. I wanted the jets and it's cool. I've been getting in hot water most days for so many years. I now have some conditions that make that difficult, and I'm able to get in hot water again. The problem is pushing the button. Sometimes it drains, and at a certain point, it stops. I had to open it several times because my drain is slow. And at a certain point, it stops draining with the push button and I have to push it over manually. For the amount of money I spent, I should have zero issues.

Original review: June 18, 2022

The sales guy was awesome. He was very articulate with the product and didn't sell me on it. He was very nice about it and explained everything to me. I love the way he went about being a salesperson. The installer was quiet and did an excellent job. He did a good clean up behind himself when he did the installation. I like everything about the tub and I can hear my music too when I’m in it. When I first tried to use it, it wouldn't come on and the features on there weren’t working. I was in the tub and I had my phone with me, and I told my daughter to check and see if the green light that was supposed to be on for the electrical was on. And that was what it was. Then, we tried to use the shower and it would just shoot up and water would come out. So, I called Safe Step about that. The guy came right out. He said he knew what the problem was and fixed it right away.

Original review: June 17, 2022

The salesperson was a friendly guy and he explained everything to us. The installers were very nice and clean, and everything's working fine with Safe Step. We enjoy the tub though we didn't get all the bells and whistles. We just want to get in and out the tub. Since we’ve had it installed, it’s easy to take a bath and shower.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information