2. Homeowners
  3. Walk-In Bathtubs

4.3/5 (355 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Verified

I have a stage 4 cancer patient at my home who is 70 years old... We got Safe Step's walk-in tub and it's a very nice product. ... My mom uses it weekly, if not almost every day t...

Verified

We’ve really been enjoying our Safe Step. The installation went great. ...I expected a lot more mess. The installers were extremely neat. There was very little dirt, and the produ...

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
    • Two grab bars
    • Anti-slip flooring
    • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
    • A hand-held shower wand
    • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof a floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling and draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

All Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that's part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most standout luxury features are its Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System and its MicroSoothe Air Therapy System.

The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.

The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft.

MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, which allows for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub lets users also have the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual showerheads and all of the safety features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices vary depending on the model you choose and the difficulty of installation. Some of the issues that affect installation quotes are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job because of the difference in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs come in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQ

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?
    Safe Step designs its walk-in tubs to fit into standard bathtub spaces. This means that if you have a regular bathtub, the walk-in tub will fit in the same area. Some walk-in tubs can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each user.
    What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?
    Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. The warranty covers manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters, blowers, parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.
    What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?
    A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. The company only sends installers that have been screened and are certified and fully insured. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete. Safe Step backs its installation process with a lifetime warranty on labor.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Its representatives determine pricing on a case-by-case basis, so you won’t know your total cost until you go through the free consultation. However, the quote you receive includes the installation cost.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: April 9, 2021

We needed to replace our current tub. We called Safe Step and we bought a new one. The rep misrepresented everything though. It has to do with how long it takes to fill up the tub. I'm 77 and I wanted to use it as a tub, but you have to really go in there. It takes at least 25 minutes to fill. I called the water company, and the pressure in the hydrant matches the pressure in the house. He said it only took three to five minutes to fill. It takes three to five minutes to empty. Emptying is not a problem, but filling it is.

I called the company and I got a woman on the telephone who said, "Well, you know what? I'll send somebody there to look at it. And if you call again, I'm going to charge you for it." So, it became a very bittersweet thing for me. I spent a lot of money on this. I really needed and want to use it, but it takes 25 minutes to fill. If I'm sitting on the bench in the tub, to get to the breast line is 25 minutes. I weigh 140 pounds, getting in and getting out is a little tricky, but it's okay. Everything that the rep said to me was really misrepresented. I take great issue with him because I had a problem and he just blew me off. When he came in, "Oh, you need any help? Call us. We'll take care of it." He didn't care about anything when I did.

I had one night where I must have not locked the door well and when I got out of the tub, I had a flood on the floor. So, I cleaned it up. Then I tried it again the next night. I probably didn't latch the door properly. But there were several things that left me feeling extremely upset. In the meantime, I had ordered an insert to my shower because the guys who installed the tub showed me the work that they did. It's taking a very long time to get this organized. They gave me a date that they're going to install it. I'm a little trepidatious about everything. I'm not a complainer either. I wouldn't complain unless there was a valid reason. The filling of the tub is the issue. I really love having it. I love to be able to get in it and do it that way because I can do what I did in the other tubs.

The tub is a soaker. I didn't buy anything with the jets, colored lights or electric panels because I had a hot tub indoors in my house for over 24 years, which I managed and ran by myself, so I understood what could happen with the jets and the pumps and the various things. So, I tried to have a very simple tub and that's what I have now. I have the shower connected to it, which is very nice. It has the hand shower, which is very nice too. But you cannot run the water and then get in it. If any water gets in between that connection with the door, which is I think it has suction connected to it, it's gonna leak. So, you have to be in the tub, latch that door, and then put the water on.

I wrote to the company and I said, "You know what? I spent $14,000 on this tub. I'd like to be able to get in it without having 65 people come to my house to constantly look at this and look at that.” The guy who was the installer came to check the pressure. He said, "Call the water company." I called the water company. The water company came and there was no way that they could make it any better. So, I've been just using it that way. It's one thing when you can run the tub and get into it. Then if you want to add more hot water you can. I love the curtain. It is a great thing. I have a heat lamp above the tub, which has been there for many years. Right now, it's coming in very handy with it.

At first, I was very impressed with how the tub looked. When I got into it, the putty is a semi-permanent putty and I was cleaning putty up around because it wasn't really dry. The way they adhered the PVC pipe left me a little concerned only because I washed it. But my husband seems to think it's okay. Then there was a big blob of putty that was something I had to get off. They didn't get it off. They didn't really clean up the way they should. It wasn't the way I thought it was going to be. Things were not done the way I thought they should be done. I was looking to see if I can find another faucet to get more pressure into it. I called the company. I said, "Maybe if I put a pump on it, would that help?" I had nobody answer me.

I love the product. I can use it as a tub if I bend and soak myself in the bottom part. But unless I put the water up higher, which I'm a little concerned to do, it's not what it appears in the brochure. Safe Step should tell you what you can do, what you can't do and what are the things that you must carefully do like making sure that that door is latched, there is no water in it and that you have to be inside that tub before you run the water. I'm adapting to what the tub will do, but I'm really very angry that the rep did not honestly represent what the things about it that could be a little challenging are.

I had ordered a second item. The rep gave me a price on it and then the next thing I knew, it was $2,000 more. I said to him, "You said this price." He said, "Oh, well, that was without the chair." It was very dishonest. I'm a little reticent because I know when I paid for it with the credit card, he took $1,500 for the shower when he only took $1,000 for the tub. This guy is not clean. He's not direct and he's not really telling you the truth. Now, I was gonna buy a tub one way or another. I had to make this house livable for me at this point in time and then decided to do the second bathroom, and I have a third one to do. So, I'm going to see how the second bathroom goes in, and see if I place an order for the third with Safe Step.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2021

I started looking at walk-in tubs because I'm a sickle cell patient. I have Geriatric Onset Sickle Cell, and I contracted it because I had a blood transfusion. Nothing stopped the pain when I go to the hospital. One time, when I had the pain, my daughter said, "We're gonna take you to the spa, and put you in the whirlpool. And we're going to give you some scents and all that stuff and do some homeopathic stuff and make you feel." I went to that, and I came out immediately feeling without pain. I said, "You know, that tub is wonderful."

So, then, I started looking further. I had a tub at home, but it was just a regular Whirlpool, and when I saw this thing with the aromatherapy dispenser in it and a seat that you couldn't fall out of, I said, "You know, I enjoyed that spa tub so much and it made me feel so much better. I'll probably do better with homeopathic stuff rather than taking all that medicine that doesn't stop it anyway." When my shoulder and arm started to ache, I got in my Safe Step tub. I did the aromatherapy thing out. That misting thing helps, too.

Almost every morning I have some kind of pain because I'm 77 years old and instead of going to the shower, I take my bath in the tub. It still use the same amount of water and I feel better. So, I've invested because the insurance company wouldn't pay for it. I said, "I don't care whether I have to pay for this tub or not. I'm gonna have this tub because it makes me feel better." It takes away hours of pain. I fell on one of my knees before, so sometimes that knee has arthritis in it, which makes it really hard for me to walk if the knee, the shoulder and arm are hurting. I get in that tub and every morning when I get up, I'm feeling good because I took that tub the night before. I love it.

As far as the installation, the plumbers did a perfect job of installing and the water people did great. But when they applied for inspectors, the city sent the inspectors but they don't tell you they're coming. So, if you ain't home, they just stick a thing on the door and go. The company has to pay again for them to come. They did that twice and that was because they wouldn't tell me when they were coming. I didn't know whether to be home or not. They think everybody who wanted those tubs are just sitting there waiting until they come to inspect. Other than that, the installation is perfect. The scents come out right and everything works.

The salesman owns one of those installation companies. I noticed him because he was a little like he was as old as I am. He was such a nice man. He was so impressive. He didn't hard sell me because I told him, "Before you come in here, I want this tub. I'm just trying to figure out if I can buy it and will the insurance company cover." When they didn't want to finance it, he got on the phone and he called some people and he said, "Okay, you good to go. You're gonna get financed." I was happy about that. He did make sure that the company financed me and I'm fine, that payment isn't gonna hurt me at all.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I live in Tennessee and when I saw that Safe Step tubs were built in Tennessee, that interested me. I trust Pat Boone and he was doing an ad for Safe Step, so that impressed me. I looked at every video on their website that they had. I went through the whole thing and was impressed by that too. I called and the salesman came. I had a little uneasiness about him. I kept wanting to ask questions and he kept telling me to let him finish. It was as if he had a spiel that he had to get through and he could not stop to talk to me about my questions, which put me off a little bit. But he sold me the tub so he must have done a lot right to get me to sign the dotted line because it was so much more expensive than I expected.

He did a good job but I told him I wanted to buy a toilet along with the tub. He gave me a price and then, he gave me another price and it was a lot better. He had not included the toilet but it was a mistake. When I looked at the paperwork, I was thinking where the toilet was. So, I called him and I had told him that we've got to have the round toilet and not the long, oblong toilet because the door wouldn't close. He ordered the wrong one and so, I was about 10 days without being able to close the door to my bathroom.

When I called him about it, he got frustrated with me when I was talking about getting this thing switched out. He wanted me to call Jagger, the one that organizes what teams go where. I asked the sales rep if he could help me with it because I was a little hesitant to make a stink about things. He pushed me off so I wasn't happy with him by the end of the whole thing. I said that I couldn’t believe I spent $17,000 on a tub and he was not going to help me deal with this mistake that he made. But the installers were wonderful. I live in a home that was built in 1953 and it was built by a man that wasn't a contractor. So, dealing with an old house like this can be challenging. The installers did a miracle by getting the tub in. It took 11 hours but they were so patient.

I sent an email to Jagger praising these guys. It was Ben, Cliff, and Tanner. They worked hard and they were clean. They played very soft, Christian music. If they took a smoke break, I never saw them and I never smelled it. They only stopped for about five minutes to eat lunch. They worked so hard and got it all in. They had to take everything out to work the tub in to this little corner of the bathroom. They did it every bit, were kind, patient and helped me to have everything put back.

I love the tub. I took a bath this morning. The microbubbles were the things that I was the most excited about. On the second bath that I took, there was a screeching noise with the microbubbles and I turned it off. When they came to switch out my toilet, I told Ben about it and Ben checked it out. He said it was malfunctioning and he would need to come and replace that. I have not contacted anybody about that. I'm waiting to see if Ben does it or if I need to do something. But all the rest of it is fine and it's a fantastic machine.

I was hesitant with getting the tub because I'm so heavy. I was not sure I could close that door once I'm in there. The salesman came up with the idea that I could check that out before they installed it. This was something that the salesman did which was good. He called the boss and the boss okayed that they would bring the whole thing here and let me try it out before they installed it. When the guys came, they brought the tub in and put it in my front room and I got into it, and checked that I could close that door. It closed fine. They took it back out and then started the process in preparing to install it. So, that was a huge deal with me. It put my mind at ease because I had this horrible feeling that I was going to buy this thing and I was not going to be able to get into it.

I'm over 300 pounds and for somebody my size to be able to use the tub and be that comfortable is amazing. So that's one of the best parts of the whole thing. I bought it because my hip was injured and I could not lift my leg to get in a bathtub. It was what made me look for a walk-in tub in the first place. I've given out Safe Step’s website to people.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I had an appointment with a different tub company but their representative wouldn't give us a price until we were ready to sign a contract. So I let it sit for a couple of weeks. Then I called Safe Step in Chesapeake and asked the lady who answered the phone to send a representative out. She said that they would have somebody at our house at two o'clock in the afternoon and then I asked her if that rep could tell me and my wife what the Safe Step tub would cost us completely. She confirmed that we would know the price before that rep would leave our house. So I got involved with Safe Step.

The gentleman from Chesapeake came over here. His name is Keith. He did what he had to do. He said that they were not here to take all of our money for a downpayment. If we decided to have this tub installed, all he wanted was a $2,000 down payment. I wrote him a check and everything was fine. He then said that someone would contact me. It would probably be four or five weeks. That's because they are in Nashville Tennessee and we’re in Smithfield, Virginia, which is about 750 miles away. But the installer was from here around the local area.

The installer from Richmond, Virginia sent out the tub the day he promised that they were coming. They came and they brought the Safe Step tub in the house, set it on the living room, and asked for the person that was going to be using the tub to try and get into it. My wife cannot walk without being on a rolling walker. But the tub that was sent out here had a door that would open to the inside. So my wife tried to step in there. When you step in with the door open on the side, you have to step around the door, and then close the door, which could be a hazard for my wife.

The installer said that he was taking this tub back to the Richmond Area and he would be back here next Tuesday with a different type of Safe Step tub. Then he showed up at my door, brought the new tub in, and did the same thing. What he brought in was one that opened to the right. All that my wife had to do when she was on the outside of the tub was to open the door, go in there, sit down, and close the door with no problem. The installer had her sit in there. Then they installed that tub in about six and a half hours. The installer is the first contractor I ever had in my house that has really protected my house and we are completely satisfied with the Safe Step walk-in tub. We bought the middle-grade tub, but when the installer brought the other tub down, it was really an upgrade and we did not have to pay one penny extra.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

I knew there was gonna be a delay from the time I signed the contract with Safe Step until I got it fixed. They called me and told me when it was gonna be ready and installed, and I was okay with that. The day it was to be installed, I’d forgotten about it. At 10 o'clock in the morning, I heard somebody knock on the door. Two guys out there said, “We're from Safe Step two install your tub.” They were really nice guys. One was a fireman from Palatka, and the other guy was from Palatka too. They were very neat. They cleaned up. They had stuff right out the yard when they were installing it. They had the tub in the driveway. Then all around the driveway, it had all these boxes. They were pulling stuff out and putting the faucets on. They said they were gonna finish up around four o'clock.

We had some problems with the water cut off on the outside of the house, and I had to call in a plumber. They said that as long as he got here before 4 o'clock, they would be finished up. If he didn't, they'd have to come back Monday. But the plumber came out and fixed it long before they were ready to finish. They finished up right around 4 o'clock just like they said they would. So, I was really pleased.

My great granddaughter uses the tub more than anybody else. She knows how to operate it. She’s seven years old. She’s bright as can be. She absolutely loves it. She knows how to work everything. She loves the changing lights. My wife used the tub yesterday afternoon and she loved it. She didn’t want me to get it. She said I don’t need it. Now she says, it's one of the best investments ever made after my pool.

Kohler runs bigger ads than Safe Step does, but their price is better. Their equipment is probably equal to Kohler's. Safe Step finishes it off very nicely. I had one of those great, big tubs that we didn't have enough hot water. We got two hot water heaters and one is for our bathroom, and the rest is for the rest of the house. It’s only a 30-gallon tank, and it wasn't quite enough. So, I was gonna buy a booster and my son called. I'm talking to my other grandson. He was at Lowe's and he said, “Hey, I've got a water tank up here for 400 bucks, 50 gallons. You may wanna consider that rather than a booster.” So, we put the tank in Sunday, and it's more than adequate for the tub.

They said that the power drain makes some funny noise that lasts about a minute when the motor goes on to flush all the lines. It makes a buzzing noise. Our bathroom is right off our bedroom, only about 25 feet from our bed, and we can hear it when it goes off to drain after somebody uses it. The only time it goes off is after somebody has used the tub. But overall, we highly recommend it to anybody that would want one.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Very nice telephone service personnel. From start to finish nothing went right: Installers took 3.5 days not 1-1.5 as quoted, didn't seem to know what they were doing, ruined walls/door jambs, broke new toilet cover, kept having to call in help. Tried to force us to certify satisfaction with job before finishing. Leaked 1st & every time it was used. Very costly. Removed by better company (Luxury Bath) within 5 days. Safe Step never lived up to guarantee, rectify anything, or talked to us.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

The salespeople were very professional and the installers did everything by the book. But water gets into one little groove that is molded into the tub and runs down on the floor. We just placed a sponge that catches it. Other than that, everything worked out pretty well. I'm a disabled vet and the nerves on my left side were pinched in my accident and my left leg was partially paralyzed so I don't have as much strength in it as I do with the other one. I've always had fear of bumping the wall and landing out in the middle of the floor. With this walk-in tub, I don't have much room but I don't have to worry about falling out. I can walk in and close the door. Also, my wife likes the hand shower part of the tub.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I love the tub because I can go in, bathe every day and not have to worry about falling or getting in and out. Since it's been installed, they did call and say they needed to inspect it. They were supposed to be here at the same time that we had doctor's appointment so that didn't happen. I haven't heard from them since. I was also trying to get ahold of someone in the finance department so that I could set up payments. I wanted to make regular monthly payments through my checking account online so that I don't have to worry about it.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

The sales rep was good. The second guy called me and I was gonna cancel the order because I was called my last name in the Marines and was kind of offended by the fact that he kept calling me that. The man who called me the second time was very apologetic and said they were going to send me out a gift card. I never got it but that's no big thing. The installers were good. They got here 10:00 am and left at 8:00 pm. They cleaned the bathroom beforehand, so they did a real good job there. When the tub first came, I thought it was small but it was big enough. I felt really relaxed after using it. I'm still experimenting on my Safe Step tub and I don't have the controls down yet but I'm getting there.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I love the microbubbles in the tub. I love the quality of the tub, too. The only downfall that I have is I wish it was a little taller or deeper where I could sit in it and get more of me in the water. I can't squat down and sit on the floor like everybody else does.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information