4.4/5 (211 ratings)

About Safe Step Walk-in Tubs

Safe Step manufactures and sells walk-in tubs and hybrid walk-in tubs with a shower option. Each product comes with a lifetime warranty on the tub frame, specific parts and labor. The company doesn’t show pricing information online, but homeowners can receive a quote after an in-home consultation. The quote includes the product and installation costs.

Pros

• Hybrid walk-in tub/shower option
    • Financing available
    • Lifetime warranty
    • Discounts available

Cons

• Only 10 possible hydro-jets
    • No pricing online

Bottom Line

Safe Step offers walk-in tubs and tub/shower hybrids with a variety of safety and comfort features, including hydro-jets and anti-scald technology. Each tub comes with a lifetime warranty.

Top Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Verified

I have a stage 4 cancer patient at my home who is 70 years old... We got Safe Step's walk-in tub and it's a very nice product. ... My mom uses it weekly, if not almost every day t...

Verified

We’ve really been enjoying our Safe Step. The installation went great. ...I expected a lot more mess. The installers were extremely neat. There was very little dirt, and the produ...

Safe Step’s walk-in tub standard features

Though Safe Step offers upgraded features for additional comfort, all Safe Step walk-in tubs include:

• Low step-in for secure entry and exit
    • Two grab bars
    • Anti-slip flooring
    • 10 adjustable hydro-jets
    • A hand-held shower wand
    • Safe water ozone cleaning system

Other standard amenities include waterproof a floating remote control, contoured heated seat and backrest, anti-scald technology and fast filling and draining.

Each Safe Step walk-in tub and shower is fully customizable, so users get a unit that matches their safety and convenience needs.

Safe Step’s luxury features

All Safe Step walk-in tubs and showers offer several therapeutic benefits. The units provide hydro-jet water therapy, chromotherapy, aromatherapy, air therapy and a dual hydrotherapy massage. There’s also a built-in bidet that's part of the personal hygiene therapy system.

Two of Safe Step’s most standout luxury features are its Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System and its MicroSoothe Air Therapy System.

The Dual Hydrotherapy Massage System combines adjustable whirlpool and air massage jets to release tension and help soothe aching joints and muscles. Dual hydrotherapy can help provide symptomatic relief for several conditions, including stress, insomnia, colds, lower back pain, arthritis and diabetes.

The MicroSoothe Air Therapy System circulates tiny, oxygen-enriched bubbles throughout the tub, turning the bath into a spa-like experience. The bubbles lightly whirl against the body and stimulate the skin, leaving it feeling silky and soft.

MicroSoothe technology gently exfoliates, hydrates and deep cleans dry, damaged and depleted skin by lifting out dirt and toxins from pores and infusing them with fresh oxygen. It also releases heat in the surrounding water through each popping bubble and helps keep the bath warm, which allows for longer soak times.

Safe Step’s Hybrid tub

In addition to the spa-like experience of a standard walk-in tub, the Safe Step Hybrid Tub lets users also have the convenience of showering. Safe Step equips its walk-in tub and shower combo with dual showerheads and all of the safety features of a standard walk-in tub.

The hybrid tub also includes every therapeutic feature found on Safe Step tubs. Additionally, the hybrid’s adjustable rainfall showerhead and hand-held shower wand can produce water simultaneously without compromising water pressure.

How much does a Safe Step walk-in tub cost?

Safe Step walk-in tub prices vary depending on the model you choose and the difficulty of installation. Some of the issues that affect installation quotes are space requirements, plumbing, heating and electricity. Safe Step walk-in tub specialists treat each transaction as a custom job because of the difference in features and installation needs.

Representatives perform a free in-home consultation and provide a complimentary quote. Safe Step walk-in tubs come in three sizes but can be adapted to fit smaller and larger spaces. There are several different walk-in tub options available to meet the needs of people with varying degrees of mobility.

Safe Step FAQ

What are the standard Safe Step walk-in tub dimensions?

Safe Step designs its walk-in tubs to fit into standard bathtub spaces. This means that if you have a regular bathtub, the walk-in tub will fit in the same area. Some walk-in tubs can be tailored to meet the specific needs of each user.

What type of warranty can I expect with Safe Step walk-in tubs?

Safe Step offers a lifetime warranty on the entire walk-in bathtub, plus labor. The warranty covers manufacturing defects, the door seal, faucets, water pumps, heaters, blowers, parts and labor. There is a two-year warranty on caulking.

What do I need to know about Safe Step’s installation process?

A Safe Step walk-in tub installation lasts one to two days, but most are completed in one day. The company only sends installers that have been screened and are certified and fully insured. Safe Step contractors remove your existing tub, which is either discarded or recycled. Safe Step always cleans the work area after the job is complete. Safe Step backs its installation process with a lifetime warranty on labor.

Do we recommend Safe Step?

If you’re looking for a complete luxury walk-in tub that doesn’t require safety or comfort upgrades, Safe Step walk-in tubs can help. The design of these all-inclusive units is for seniors and individuals with limited mobility. Its representatives determine pricing on a case-by-case basis, so you won’t know your total cost until you go through the free consultation. However, the quote you receive includes the installation cost.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-in Tubs?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Safe Step Walk-In Tub?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

I had an old-fashioned clawfoot bathtub and now I have to use a walker, and I couldn't use the clawfoot bathtub unless there was somebody here to help me in the bathtub and supervise it. So, I wanted something that I could use myself that would make me more independent. I chose Safe Step. There were two guys here most of the day, which I understood was going to happen because it involves both electricity and plumbing. They did their job very well. A guy came that evening to check it out, and I gave him a check. It was all very much as I was told to expect. It was done very well. The installation looks great. It's sort of like my trophy thing. I haven't used it as much yet. I had to leave a few days for the epoxy to just set, but I used it a couple of times and it's great. The handheld shower is terrific, so I use that.

I could care less about having lights and music. It’s just not my thing. I just want to get in and get cleaned. I’ve done it without the jets on and with the jets on. I contacted Safe Step because the first time I used it, I had my home health care aide here and I didn't want to use it the first time without somebody around in case they screwed up. What happened was it was draining very slowly. So, she had to use a pot to bail me out. You can't open the door unless the water level is below the level of the door. So, it took a while for her to do that, but not as long as it would have if I just drained it.

I spoke to somebody at Safe Step, and they told me to use Drano, which I haven't gotten yet. I just lifted off the lid on the top of the drain so it flows more quickly then. I'm just going in and using the handheld shower, and not filling it up. I'm very pleased with it because I don't have to climb over this high thing anymore and I can use it myself. My new tub makes me more independent. I don't have to wait for somebody to come around and give me a shower, which I did before because I live alone. I have a home health aide, so I could only get into the bath if I had somebody to help me bathe. Now, I can do it myself.

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I like Safe Step. I did a little bit of research, and I wanted the company that was made here in Tennessee. So, that was even a better plus because my mother and father are both from the state of Tennessee. The sales rep who came by was good and thorough. I asked a ton of questions and I even have a picture of me in my tub out in the street because the reps brought it and asked me to sit in it to make sure that it was gonna be okay. It was a little too narrow and the rep sent it back and Safe Step built another one that was a little bit wider. So, everything was good.

I was telling a friend of mine about my experience when I got stuck in the bathtub. I got in the bathtub and I couldn't get out and when I couldn't sit myself over to get out of the bathtub, I said that I will never get down in this bathtub again. And I bought a Safe Step Walk-in Tub after that. Because I was not going to get stuck in the tub and have to call 911 and have them come and get me out of the bathtub. I've told all of my friends to get the walk-in tub now instead of later because even if you end up having home help or long-term health care, and somebody has to come and bathe you, it is easier to be bathed in a walk-in tub than it is in the traditional tub.

Everything went well with the installation team. But I tell everyone that the price that you see on there is just a starting price. You never know whether you're going to need a bigger hot water tank or whether you need your pipes redone, which I had to because they were rusting from the inside. I have two daughters and I love them immensely. But I didn't work all of these years to save money and have a good retirement and investment fund to save it and leave it for them. So, I am using the money that I worked for to make life good for me. I retired already but I'm doing everything to stay in my home.

Quality of life is very big for me. I finally met the man of my life and we loved one another for almost 25 years. After he died and I was in that tub and I couldn't get out, I had a panic attack and hyperventilated, and I thought of how I could get out of this tub. Something told me that one extra day is not promised to us and it's okay to spend our money on ourselves to make sure that we live a good life in our later years. I'm only 66 years old but I want to get to that point like my mother who is 92 years old. She still stands up and takes a shower. She gets in that bathtub. I offered her a walk-in tub, but she told me no. If she ever tells me she wants one, I'm gonna drop the money and get her one.

I've had the walk-in tub for a while and I just added the shower package to it. I just had that little handheld thing and it was just something to rinse off after I've washed up. So I called Safe Step and the guy said that they already got my measurements and could send the shower package out. So, we had someone come and add the shower package to my walk-in tub and I love it, and it's great. Even though I'm just your average person living in the average type house, in the average neighborhood, I got a spa back there. I got blue lights, aromatherapy, the bubbles, the lights inside that change colors and I even put an extra light in my bathroom. I told people I can just get in the walk-in tub and get out in five minutes.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

Whoever I spoke to made arrangements for someone to come here and speak to us, and to look at the situation with our bathroom that it needed to go in, and our electrical and water heater. And because my husband is also a military veteran, and he is on disability through the VA, all the things that you have in place for the special things like that, she deducted it from the total cost of the walk-in tub. And she said, “Well, this is how much it will cost you.” My husband put down $8,000. So, there was a balance of 13,000 that needed to be financed. She did it right there. Everything was approved the first time when she came. So, that worked out well. But my husband told me yesterday that he had already paid the tub off.

The rep was very friendly and outgoing. She couldn't tell us enough about the tub because she has one too. And they're like us, all of them love it. She showed us pictures also of customers that she had that have had different health issues with their limbs. And they had great improvement since using the tub with the jets. She was very smart about the tub.

The people that came to install the tub were very knowledgeable and did everything nice. When they came to install the tub, they brought it in and made sure that I would be able to get in and out of it because I only have one leg. They went ahead and installed it, and they were very efficient. It all went very well. The whole family loves it. And being able to get in and out of it, and our little three-year-old grandson likes to sit in the tub and get a shower, and push the buttons for the light. He said it's a spaceship. The deal about his fears about getting his head washed or soap in his eyes, when he found out that he could control the whole situation, it was amazing. And the lights, when you sit on the bench.

I’ve offered for my friends to come and use it here. I have a home health nurse. And when she comes, I tell her she could use the tub any time she wants. And she said she has been trying to talk her husband into getting one of those. I said, “I have the information, if you need it. But you could try it first.” And she said, “I might take you up on that one of these days.” I would love for everybody to know and to have a chance to be able to afford it. Because emotionally and physically, it is a calming, soothing experience. My daughter said, “You turn the bathroom lights on. You turn the tub lights on. And you just sit there and let the jet just gurgle. I don't want to get out of it.” My husband went in there a week ago. And he was in that bathtub for 45 minutes. He likes sitting in there with the jets. He loves it. I'm happy that we got it. I'm 79 and he’s soon to be 85. That was our present. It would be a wonderful housewarming gift for you.

Original review: June 30, 2022

The representative that came out gave an excellent presentation to me and my husband. He worked with us, waiting for us to get approved for our credit, which we did. They put a $1,000 down payment and we were supposed to put another $1,000. But the rep said, “No, everything's set for the payment.” Then we didn't start paying it until after the tub was installed, which was great. So it was able to get me to prepare for that month it started. Safe Step also asks medical questions in reference to high blood pressure, which I have. So they do go through the list of things and when they check that off, it gives you a discount on that purchase.

The installation took almost all day. But they didn't have issues with putting in the tub. My husband works all day on his legs and he's 66. We have the jets with the tub so when he comes home, I tell him to go in the tub. He said, “If you turn the knob just on legs, it gets the back of your calves,” where he feels like he needs it. It's nice to have the safety of being able to sit down in the tub and not have to stand up. I have a bad knee on the left, and I have a bad foot on the right. I have an unsteady gait. With this tub, you can sit down or stand up when you want. We are enjoying our walk-in tub. It's good.

We need to get them to show me how to do the buttons on the tub again because I couldn't remember everything the installer said. When you press the automatic drain button, it does not work. It did work, but now it doesn't. You can move the thing by itself. However, it’s tension. I called for a service call last week and Safe Step called me but I have not received a call from the company who's supposed to come out and check it. We also got an issue with the lights. But my husband said the lights are working now. Other than that, the tub is functional. But for $20,000, I want my tub to work 100%. It was a lot of money.

Original review: March 7, 2022

We called Safe Step to see what it would cost to get a walk-in, so they made the appointment to come and talk. The guy came and he was here for hours. He gave a spiel and we had purchased the product before he left. All we wanted was an estimate and we were going to check different places, but nobody would give you an estimate without coming and talking to you. So, we didn't even get a second estimate. Plus, he guy wouldn't leave till we said yes. Then, it was about a week or so before they came back. But that was no problem because they had to almost take my bathroom apart to get it in. We knew it was going to happen and we have two bathrooms, so that was not a problem. The guys that came for the installation were marvelous and it took them all day. They were like part of the family.

I love the tub and I spent about an hour in it yesterday. But it doesn't take all that much water. I would use that much water in the shower, and I have used it as a shower also. But I love the fact that you can just sit and enjoy and, at the same time, get a body massage. I needed to spend more time getting to know the controls though. I was standing there and watching the installer. He already had the tub filled up before I went, then he would show me the different things to use. But he was just the installer and he didn't know everything about the tub.

On the first time I got in it, I flooded the bathroom. I didn't close the door all the way and I thought I had the lever down, which I pushed as far as it would go, but I needed to put a little weight behind it before and push it all the way. So, I thought that I closed it and started the water running. It started filling up and when I looked out, there was water all over my floor. But that was okay as I cleaned the floor same time I cleaned myself. Other than that, the walk-in is gorgeous. It's so pleasing and with the water massage, I don't think I wasted my money. It will also increase the value of the house if we ever sell it.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

The installers were awesome. The whole thing has been really good. I like the fact that the door swings in and not out. The seat warmer is very nice. The little towel bar on the outside and the little shower nozzle are also nice. So it's really good. I like the tub. It's worth the money.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

The installers came and installed the Safe Step tub. I had considered putting a different ceiling in, but I wasn't sure, and it was left unfinished. But the tub was in. Then after that, I had to have surgery and I was laid out for a couple of weeks. Because the bathroom is right off my bedroom, I didn't want anybody coming back. So I called Safe Step as soon as I felt better and said, "Can we get this fixed?" I got passed on and then they said somebody was coming up on Friday. But it went on and on. Sometimes they didn't return my calls. So I told them, "Look, I've given you plenty of time. It's not a big job to finish this up.” But they kept saying, "Well, we’ll be out Friday." I said, "Could you possibly do it before Thanksgiving? I'd like to share this with some of my friends. It's good PR for you.” But none of them called me back.

The product is well-made and they're very friendly. But the thing is with Safe Step, they were cash payment. When the workmen walk out, they want a check for the full amount. I did that and then I thought afterward, that's not right. Sometimes it's good to do that. I'm not against it. But usually, you’ll have an option of invoicing you in 30 days for the balance. If they told me that they were shorthanded and that they got a lot going on before Thanksgiving and they couldn't do it, then it was no big deal. I understand that. I left Safe Step somewhat of an acrimonious voicemail saying, "You know, this isn't right. Just tell me what's going on. You asked me to pay in full, and I still have an unfinished tub.” They said someone will come out on Thursday.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

The rep was very informative and nice. But when the installers put that tub in, they messed up my tile. They chopped up three bucketloads of my tile. If I had known that, I could have got my tile man over here and he'd have got every bit of it and I could've saved it. When I got down there to the bedroom, they had already chopped it up and put it in the buckets and thrown it out. I also had an issue with the door. So I called the rep and told him about it last night. He said he would see what he could do. It's gonna cost me something to get my doorframe fixed. Whoever drove those nails in that doorframe didn't know how to drive a nail. It went all the way through the wood. But the installers were nice and polite. They had to come back a second time because it wouldn't drain. So the other guy came and got it straightened out.

It's nice to get in the tub, but it takes so long for it to go out and I have to sit there shivering and turn the heater on overhead. Also, Safe Step needs another pull bar in there. When you stand up in the thing and try to get out of that tub, you got nothing but one little hand bar up there on the front and you got to hold the pipe the hand sprayer comes out of. I have a very hard time. I have to stand up in it and hold on to that bar on the right and one on the left, and then I got no arm to get out with.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2022

Everything went smooth with the installation. Two people came out, and they got there around 8:30 and they were gone between 3:30 and 4:00. They did an excellent job. My dad said he liked the tub. He likes the jet where they massage his feet and his back. The tub is pretty safe. He could get in and out of it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

The sales rep was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions. He was good. The installers did a great job. I've only used the tub once and I liked it. The only thing is it takes a little while to fill up. But my mother doesn't have a problem with that because once the water gets up to her feet where she's able to turn on the jets, she washes her feet or scrubs them, and she's using the jet. The bench has a warmer in it. My mother loves the tub.

Safe Step Walk-in Tubs Company Information