2. Movers

4.9/5 (15 ratings)
Call Now Toll Free

About JK Moving Services

JK Moving is one of the largest independent moving companies in North America and has a fleet of more than 240 vehicles. The company has over 40 years of experience with long-distance moving and has won multiple industry awards, including from the American Moving & Storage Association. JK Moving has completed over 500,000 moves for customers.

Pros

• Virtual and in-home consultations
  • Highly trained movers
  • As low as 0% financing available

Cons

• Better for high-end moves
  • No immediate online quotes

Bottom Line

JK Moving offers long-distance residential moves handled by an experienced team. It provides 24/7, live customer support and has a highly rated mobile app for convenience.

Top JK Moving Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had a very good experience with JK Moving. They packed everything up very well and they unloaded it when we got here. Everything was packed very professionally, nice and neat. ...

Verified

COVID-19 information

JK Moving has put multiple measures in place to ensure its customers' safety. The company states it is closely following guidelines put in place by the federal government, local governments and the Centers for Disease Control to ensure the safety of every move. JK Moving also offers multiple ways to help give you a moving quote, including virtual consultations and virtual self-surveys.

JK Moving services

JK Moving offers highly customizable moving and packing services for families across the country and has moved more than 500,000 families over 40 years. Most services can be customized to the specific needs of a situation, like extra padding for breakables or short-term storage in case of weather delays. In addition to general moving support, JK Moving also offers full-service packing, secure storage, project management for commercial moves and cross-country moves.

The company trains more than 1,000 employees each year, and all of JK Moving's employees undergo background checks and drug screening. It offers financing at rates as low as 0% (up to $50,000), valuation coverage in case your belongings are lost or damaged, and 24/7 live customer service. The company has a fleet of more than 240 vehicles equipped with GPS tracking and dashcams.

• Long-distance moves: Whether you’re moving to the next state or across the country, JK is able to help.
  • Storage: JK Moving's modern warehouses have 24/7 video surveillance, motion sensors, options for climate-controlled storage and fire-suppression systems to keep belongings safe and secure for as long you need to store them
  • Small moves program: The company's small moves program offers fast moving services for customers who are moving from smaller living spaces or who have less to move.

JK Moving prices

JK Moving doesn’t provide pricing without knowing the specific details of your move. The number of items you’re moving, the total weight of your move, the distance of your move, and more details are required to give you an accurate estimate.

JK Moving offers multiple ways to help give you a moving quote, including virtual consultations and virtual self-surveys.

JK Moving FAQ

What is JK Moving's deposit policy?
JK Moving requires deposits, but the amount may be as low as $250.
Is JK Moving registered as a carrier or a broker?
JK Moving is registered as a carrier with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Does JK Moving vet its employees?
Yes, all employees go through drug testing and a background check.
How does JK Moving provide estimates?
Customers can use an AI-powered technology that lets them conduct a survey of their home themselves when it's convenient, or they can work with a dedicated move consultant virtually to conduct a live visual survey of their home.
Does JK Moving ship vehicles?
Yes, JK can coordinate the relocation of any type or size of automobile inside the United States.
Does JK Moving have a tracking app?
Yes, JK Moving has an app that customers can use to track the status of their move. Separately, JK Moving’s trucks have dashcams that are used to monitor driving behavior.

Is JK Moving a good mover?

JK Moving has a lot of benefits that make it stand out as a moving company. Getting a detailed in-home quote or virtual consultation means that your estimate will be more accurate than a phone or online quote. The company uses sustainable practices, minimizing negative effects on the environment. The one downside is that is that JK tends to be better for high-end and large moves, rather than smaller moves.

Overall, we think JK Moving is a good option if you’re considering a move. The company has high-quality practices and takes steps to ease the stress of a move, no matter the type or distance.

JK Moving Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JK Moving Services?

Original review: May 3, 2021

I was selling my house. I told JK Moving what I had initially over the phone, but they came over and did an assessment of all the items, figured out how many boxes for. They provided me with an estimate. When they came and did the thing, they were great. Some of the excess things that I didn't realize would need a box will be packed specifically, they did those things and treated my products with care. They were very good. They were great, with me, selling my house, putting my things to storage and getting it back out. 'Cause with a settlement, dates can change. So they were very accommodating the two times I had to delay my move.

I would definitely choose them over trying to do self-storage. They bring it in with care. You see how they wrap your furniture, your belongings, and things they had to take apart. I had a treadmill, they put it back together. The bed, they put those things back together. They don't just dump them when they put them in the room of choice. If they require reassembly, they take care of that. One thing I loved ‘cause I moved into a new build, they have these corner protectors that they use to make sure they don't bang into your walls or your corners. My steps are wood, so they used a cloth and laid out a cloth onto their path to help protect the flooring and the wall. They were awesome.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I've used JK for over 25 years and I've always been pleased with the service. They took good care of my things. Because when I moved overseas, I put all of my belongings in storage, and I worked overseas for about 20 years. Over the years, I've periodically come back to the States, and taken things out of storage, and put things back in as I went back and forth to different posts. I finally moved everything out of storage because I relocated back to the US for good.

They've always been responsive. When I came back and asked them, “Can you open up my storage crates so I can go through some of the stuff and extract some things?”, they were always very accommodating, scheduling when it was convenient for me. When I finally decided to move everything out, everything was scheduled quickly and efficiently. Not a lot of delay. So, I was very pleased with the close-out of the service. I've never had any concerns about billing too. They also always answered my questions if I had any. The processes they have in place seem to work pretty well. There's an app. I had a little bit of trouble with it and I just called them up and that was fixed. I liked the tools that they use.

Original review: April 23, 2021

When we were first put in touch with one of the sales people from JK Moving, they said that they would come. They sent me a link to download an app on my phone and then to go through each room and identify what was going and wasn’t. But it didn't work. I'm not computer-savvy so I reached out and said that I couldn’t even get one room to be videotaped so that I can give them anything. I asked if it was possible for somebody to physically come into my home and go through the process. They were very accommodating and they came. So the only negative thing was the app. It probably would have saved somebody the time of being in the car and coming in my house. But it worked out fine. The gentleman who came out to do our walkthrough was very professional. He was able to take notes on his iPad and within five minutes of us finishing the entire house, he was able to turn it around and show us a quote.

One of the things that ended up happening and worked to our advantage is that we had to go back to our home. We moved three hours away and there were three wardrobe boxes that never made it onto the truck. The only reason we were able to determine that was because I was looking for something in particular and it was not in any of the boxes. The other house hadn't sold yet so we still had access. A friend of ours live close enough by and we had a hidden key. She went in and they had enclosed three of our wardrobe boxes into a closet. We assumed that everything was out because they packed us up and moved us. We did not assist in any of the packing. We simply showed them what needed to be packed and we paid to have that service.

It turned out that one of us had to go back to that area anyway so we were able to take the stuff out of those boxes and stick them into a car. But there could be a better follow-up in checking closets and things that might harbor something that should have been on the truck. More importantly, when they came to offload the truck, they never explained that there was a cheat sheet. I learned this later after we realized that the boxes are missing.

I was told by this young lady who was helping us with payment and following up and arranging for different things. When we spoke, she asked if we did not see that those boxes were not there with the checkoff sheet, I told her that I didn’t know what she was talking about. There was no checkoff sheet and if anybody had one, it would be the moving crew and not necessarily me. She explained what it was. That was never offered as an option when they were bringing the things into the house. If you're missing something, then it becomes incumbent upon the moving company to figure out where it is as opposed to us having to send friends over to a house to look through and say that there are three huge boxes in the closet that they didn't take with them.

One other thing, and this may be very specific to the area that we moved to, is we ended up having a treadmill and a grandfather clock that we needed transported. We wanted to have them professionally taken apart and transported, and then have a similar company or someone that JK contracts with, come and put the clock as well as the treadmill back together. For over a week, we worked back and forth with the main office on who was coming to do this and when were they planning to do this. We had plenty of things to keep us busy in that first week of moving but we couldn't get a sound answer. Finally, a gentleman called and he told me that he was coming to do my clock and my treadmill. He sounded like he was a team of one and there was no way that one person could have done the treadmill. They could have done the clock.

The gentleman lived out north of Philadelphia and it was going to take him two hours to get to my home. When we were trying to negotiate a time, he couldn't come because it was rush hour in Philadelphia. And he couldn't leave after a certain time because it would be rush hour in Philadelphia. Also, he couldn’t come because it was raining and he didn't like to drive in the rain. This went on for quite some time. Those reasons were not my problem. He accepted to be a contractor for this company. He needed to figure out how to deal with this, not me. Whoever I was dealing with at JK was very clearly of the same mindset. She was not thrilled with how we were getting the runaround with this guy. We finally determined that the best way to go about this is we would find our own contractors in this area.

We were reimbursed the other half of what would have normally been whatever the half was of the total cost to do it at one end and do it back on the other end. It worked to our advantage because we were able to do it much less expensively than what we got back. Washington DC can accommodate something that’s technical or a high professional level skill set but in smaller communities, there's less of a concentration of people and services. We're used to an immediate response to a request that we may have, especially if we paid for something and we have found that very much different having moved here and been here for a couple of months.

Instead of going through days and days of trying to get the person here, maybe the next step is to ask if we would be interested in JK reimbursing us half of what it was going to be on the quote and allow us to get our own people. That would have saved me a ton of time because we were already researching companies or individuals who did clockwork.

The guy who came to put our clock back together was an older guy but he used to work at a gym and put together gym equipment. We mentioned in passing that I had gotten a quote for somebody to come and put our treadmill together. I didn't say what it cost but he said he would go in and look at it. I handed him the instruction manual and he put it together. He ran it and I asked how much. He said 50 bucks and I said that it was not a problem. The silver lining of all of this is, we ended up getting a better bang for our buck and a better experience because we were employing people who do that for a living.

Original review: April 22, 2021

Joe helped give me the estimate and once I said yes, I talked to Rina. She held my virtual hand through the process. Both were fabulous and very helpful. This is my second time moving with JK Moving. The first crew was so great that as a result, these guys didn't seem like they did as good of a job as the first crew that moved me three years ago. The first time around, they set up all my furniture. This time around, all the crew did was the bed and they fixed one thing, but there was still a lot that I had to do. The first round, they had taken back all the wardrobes but this time around, I had to unpack all the wardrobes. They stacked the boxes high and I'm 5 ft., so I couldn't reach some of them. I'm by myself, so when I was unpacking, it was a little bit tricky to get some of the heavier boxes down.

It wasn't that it was a terrible thing to do but it wasn't the same kind of level of detail that the first time around was. Maybe I lucked out and had a crew that was over the top the first time than the second time. With the pandemic, if they were rushing and if the motive was to get in and out, I totally understand because I want the least amount of contact as possible. Overall, it was fine. Nothing was broken and everything was in here. They came on time when they said they were. They were polite and very professional, which are all the things I would have expected in that regard. I've recommended JK in the past year after my first move. My parents then used JK to move down to Florida from DC and then, I recommended it to one or two other people after that. If this was the first time I moved with JK, I'd probably still recommend them.

Original review: April 20, 2021

We had JK Moving move furniture that we didn’t feel comfortable moving, which was heavy stuff, to our lake house. The representative said that we could leave stuff in our drawers, so we wouldn't have to take things out. But the guy that came out said that it wasn't a good idea. So, that was a disconnect. At the last minute, we emptied our drawers into suitcases. The estimate that was done was too low on poundage. So, we ended up paying a little bit more than we thought we were gonna pay. Since I have been advertising JK for about 15 years, I thought I would get a deeper discount. We don’t know what kind of a discount I got, if any. But the quote was in the ballpark of what I thought we were gonna spend, so that was okay. I have been recommending JK for years and years. I had some marketing done where I put out a laminated card with vendors that I recommend and I always had them there.

Original review: May 14, 2021

JK Moving met all my needs and the price. They came out, gave us a quote and it was accurate. The driver was very nice, and the people who loaded were very nice as well. I'd tell others to go with JK Moving unless they find something that they think is much better. They were very honest and very good at packing my stuff. I would just go with them.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I had three different contractors come up to the house to give me estimates, but I was the most comfortable with talking with the people from JK and what they had to say. I called them up, and they were out in a couple of days and had a quote and they were able to meet all of my timelines. My overall estimate came in less because I ended up moving some stuff myself. But if I hadn't done that, it would've probably been pretty accurate. The lead guy had enough people out there to take care of what needed to be taken care of, and everything went smooth. They worked hard. They wanted to get the job done and got it done.

Original review: May 6, 2021

We've looked at others, but we liked the JK Moving representative that came and the pricing. Everything was very clear and upfront. We were well informed and didn't feel like we were going to be charged more later or that kind of stuff. They were on time. Everybody was friendly and very conscientious. We were overall very happy. I told somebody to give them a try.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I was very pleased with them. The reps were were all extremely good. I spoke with Theo and he was extremely helpful. The movers were good. They did an extremely good job packing. They were very good when they unpacked. I do have a claim in for a damaged chair and I have not heard back from that, but I hope they will cover that claim.

Original review: May 4, 2021

JK Moving picked up my stuff, packed it and moved it about 800 miles. Everything went quite on schedule and they didn’t have any major breaks. I was satisfied with the experience.

Original review: May 2, 2021

We used JK Moving before and we were very impressed. So we used them again and nothing changed. It was just good all-around. We had two stops to the destination. That went well. Their team was great. Their pricing is good, fair and reasonable. There were no surprises. Typically happens with other movers - what you get quoted is never right. With JK Moving, that was not the case.

Original review: May 1, 2021

It's just a very good, positive experience with JK Moving and I would highly recommend them. I really have no real complaints about anything with JK as far as the scheduling, the moving, the storage, moving us back in. The crew was all fine. They were all courteous and hardworking and they did a very good job.

Original review: April 29, 2021

I liked JK Moving's price and reputation. The people that packed up were all very friendly. They were attentive to what they were doing. So, it was all as expected and quality. Everybody did everything as expected. Instead of there being a hiccup here and there, everything was as expected, which is more than you can ask for.

Original review: April 21, 2021

We moved from Jackson, Georgia to Troutman, North Carolina, which is about 375 miles. We had a very good experience with JK Moving. They packed everything up very well and they unloaded it when we got here. Everything was packed very professionally, nice and neat. My wife and I were both impressed by the quality of the move. The reps were very considerate and prompt in everything. The quote was a little high but after all the move was over, we got quite a substantial refund. The move was very well priced. We were very well-pleased and I highly recommended JK.

Original review: April 19, 2021

We've used JK dozens of times and we'll continue to use them. I couldn't be happier. The crew was great.

JK Moving Services Company Information