3.7/5 (200 ratings)

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines is a well-established moving company that helps households and businesses with local, long-distance and international relocations. Its services include full-service packing, short- and long-term storage, online shipment tracking and auto transport. It has been in business since 1928 and moves over 100,000 families each year.

Pros

• Online tracking
  • Wide availability
  • Easy quote process

Cons

• No 24/7 claims number
  • High costs for local moves

Bottom Line

Allied Van Lines offers a range of services to make relocations go as smoothly as possible. Quotes are on the higher end, but the customizable full-service options and reliability might be worth it for some customers.

Top Allied Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had a great move from Chicago To Indy during COVID-19. Ernie and Terry were our primary contacts and they were great at keeping the communications up. They brought their own PP...

Verified

The guys were awesome... I was moving across the country and I had to pack the car along with enough room for three boys ages 3 month 2 years and 4... They came and packed up ever...

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines works with an extensive network of movers across the country to facilitate moves almost anywhere. For local or interstate moves, it’s best to request a quote for the most accurate pricing estimate — just provide some details about your move and contact information.

If you like the quote, an Allied relocation assistant will help you plan and schedule your move. At this point, you'll have the opportunity to request additional services, such as storage in transit. Keep in mind that Allied requires a virtual or in-home inspection before your moving date. Once all your belongings are loaded up, you can track your shipment online or through an app.

Allied Van Lines moving costs

Allied Van Lines’ costs can vary greatly depending on where you live, where you’re going and how much stuff you have.

According to recent reviews, long-distance moves with packing services start between $2,000 and $5,000. The average cost for a cross-country move is $3,500 (based on an average weight of 7,000 pounds and a traveling distance of 1,000 miles).

The total weight of your shipment is one of the biggest price factors, so the estimate could be inaccurate if you don’t account for heavy items. Allied Van Lines has additional charges for certain services, such as full-service packing and car and boat transport.

Allied Van Lines moving services

Some services with Allied Van Lines are included in the upfront estimated price, such as loading and shipment tracking. The company can provide boxes and supplies for do-it-yourself packing, or you can hire a team to do it all, usually at an hourly rate. Some customers opt for fragile-only packing instead of full-service packing to reduce costs.

In addition to local and long-distance household moving, packing and supplies, Allied offers the following services:

• Corporate relocation
  • Cross-country moving
  • Interstate moving
  • International moving
  • Storage for in-transit items and long-term storage
  • Furniture disassembly and reassembly
  • Auto and boat transport

Allied Van Lines FAQ

Is Allied Van Lines a broker?

Allied Van Lines is registered as both a broker and a carrier, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Does Allied Van Lines have insurance?

Yes, Allied Van Lines includes basic liability coverage with every move. Under this coverage, if the company loses or damages your belongings, it reimburses you 60 cents per pound per article. This means that if your mover damages your 30-pound TV that’s worth $1,000, you would receive only $18. You can also purchase full valuation coverage, which reimburses you the actual value of items, through Allied’s Extra Care Protection plan.

Can I track my move with Allied?

Yes, Allied Van Lines has an online tracking tool you can use to check the status of a move.

Can Allied Van Lines move my car?

Yes, Allied Van Lines can find you an auto transporter to move your vehicle.

Does Allied Van Lines offer packing services?

Yes, Allied Van Lines offers full-service packing, fragile-item-only packing and supplies for DIY packing.

Is Allied Van Lines a good moving company?

Overall, we think Allied Van Lines is a good choice for most moves. Prices can be a little high, but this isn’t necessarily a negative — we tend to be wary of unusually low prices that indicate a company might be cutting corners. It’s worth it for those willing to spend a little more to make sure their movers are seasoned professionals — especially when moving over long distances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

This experience of moving our household goods has been one of the very best, from Jennifer at the Berger Moving location in Phoenix to the team of Ruben **,

Gerardo Jr **, Baldemar Jr **, and Edgar ** who were very professional, took high ownership of their work and making sure our goods were safely moved into our house, without a single bump into any of the walls of our brand newly constructed house. So often, all people do is talk of the horror stories with moving companies however, this was one of the very best teams and I would highly recommend Berger/Allied to anyone moving and in need of your services. Again, thank you!!! Should you wish to contact me to discuss further, please call me at **. Respectfully, Steve **.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

My entire experience from Chris, the salesperson, to Gary and Dillon, the men who moved me, was just the most pleasurable experience that one could hope for while going through such a stressful transition. They were consistently pleasant despite some very challenging logistics and weather conditions, as well as totally professional and respectful of me, the two properties and my belongings. The men worked so hard and the price was also quite reasonable, considering all things they had to go through - heavy rain, mud and ice and shuttling my stuff in smaller trucks to the tractor trailers that were too large to come to either house. They basically had to move everything twice on both ends of the move! What a bear of a job! I hope I never have to move again but, if I do, I would try to secure the same company and certainly these same men. They were awesome!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

The first leg of our (Howard & Angela **) move was outstanding (Feb 21, 2022). Your crew arrived on time (early), introduced themselves and requested a walk-through of the house and garage. Upon their review, they worked like an Orchestra on rapping, moving, taping, and guiding furniture/boxes to the truck with a jovial spirit. It was an experience my wife and I wish we could have captured on video. They were very respectful and courteous and represented Allied in a very outstanding light. As we say in the Navy, Bravo Zulu (BZ) for your moving staff and company. We look forward to seeing your crew on the other end of our move. Please pass on my family and I appreciation for their outstanding service.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Last month, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law moved from Florida to New York, and, due to health issues, were unable to oversee the move themselves. They contracted with Allied/Coleman and their salesman, Jeffery **, was extremely supportive throughout the process. Since their plan was to move to their new home ahead of all of their belongings, they asked me to be with the packers on packing day, and with the movers on loading day. The packers, Billy and Desiree, arrived on time, looked over the house, and immediately got set up to begin working. Nothing in the entire house had been packed, so they had their work cut out for them. They both worked nonstop, were fast and efficient, and still took great care with all of the items they had to pack. They were awesome!

The next day Darryl, the driver, arrived early along with two loaders. Darryl was experienced, friendly, and knowledgeable, and quickly made me feel comfortable about the process. He and the loaders did a great job wrapping the furniture in protective wrap, and loading all the furniture and boxes onto the truck. When the job was complete, Darryl went through all of the paperwork with me and again, I felt comfortable and not the least bit rushed. The truck arrived at its destination on the agreed date and no items were damaged in the move. I would highly recommend Allied/Coleman and especially the employees we were fortunate enough to deal with: Jeffery, Billy, Desiree, and Darryl. Thank you all!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I selected Marathon Movers for two reasons-price and an agent with Allied, a national transportation company. Little did I know, their: customer service, communication, professionalism, and service were all top notch. The process was simple, smooth, and unencumbered. Even during the sales process, I felt reassured. I never had any doubt this would be a breeze. At every stage of the move, I was well informed. In fact, I was usually kept up to date by not only the office but the driver of my furnishings. My hats off to Kathy, Michelle, Chris and Peanut. Sorry, I can’t recall the three movers that pick up my belongings. They were GREAT too. By the way, not one item was broken during transportation. If I ever mover again, I will not hesitate to call Marathon Movers. I strongly recommend them to anyone on the move. Great value, great execution, great experience. Marathon Movers, they do moves the old fashion way-RIGHT!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

1-Packers did not have sufficient materials.

2-One day load became two because wrong truck was sent. Also driver was not given complete information.
    3-Second day load was different driver, different team. Once again wrong size truck (different truck) and driver not given complete information.
    4-Delivery was outside contract time.
    5-Two members of delivery team got in fist fight in middle of street in front of my house. Blood on drive, on floors inside, and on furniture.
    6-Delivery team tracked mud into house.
    7-Boxes marked fragile were crushed with heavier items stacked on top.
    8-Damage to some furniture

9-I had to pay additional expenses for lodging, boarding, and meals because of additional time required to load, around $300.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

This move was a disaster. The agent Abby ** did not visually see what was being moved which is standard practice. Then the driver refused to load my belongings from a storage unit because #1 he saw a spider and #2 his truck was too small because no one did any sort of prerequisite visualization prior to loading. Important packing information was not provided to me prior to loading so there were many extra charges for them to repack a lot of my things. New boxes did not get labeled so once delivered has been a nightmare trying to figure out what’s in what box because when they “repack” your things they basically just put a box inside of a box and charge you for it.

The move had to happen in two trucks and the second truck went missing for about a week. No one could tell me where the hell it was then all of a sudden oh it’s here and going to be delivered the next day. Then when payment time came the agent Abby ** ran $20,000 on my debit card which alerted the fraud department at the bank and they locked my bank account. All in all this move was a terrible experience. The only good thing was that the movers, I mean the guys who actually do all the heavy lifting, literally, were great and couldn’t apologize enough for all the problems. I def will not ever use this company again for anything and I would not suggest anyone else does either.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

Excellent service. The packing team, the loading team and the estimator all provided great professional and friendly service. The entire experience from the estimating review, to packing and delivery was worry free. The estimator followed during the whole process. The packing supervisor explained every detail and provided continue updates on completing the packing. The truck driver communicated the exact delivery schedule.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

I would never use Allied again. If you are looking for interstate move DO NOT use them. After months of back and forth with Allied, I now know why so many people hate moving companies. They are dishonest. I won’t get into the details of what happened – it’s the same back and forth crap you will see 1,000’s of other people complain about online. Let’s just say that once they have your money your chances of winning a dispute are slim. I think I am just going to get rid of all my stuff if I move again. It’s so expensive, I think I would rather invest in new stuff than place any faith in a moving company. If you are in Florida avoid Best Moving & Storage/Ray the Mover. I ended up speaking with the general manager on the phone – discourteous and unhelpful. As my local mover, they sold the move, took my money and then just pointed the finger at Allied and told me to go work it out with them.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

Look up the word debacle and you have the total story from packing to loading to delivery and unloading. Household was packed by Larry, Moe & Curley. Who puts a $2000 King mattress on a 26 ft van last, stand upright across the width of the van and so tight; two of the loaders had to push against it with their backs to get the sliding greasy, oily door down? When the van was opening at our new home in Alexandria, LA the unbagged mattress had wicked water all the way across for 2 feet and it was stained with grease and oil all the way up, while the bagged box springs that were not supposed to be bagged came away high and dry.

Seems the van had stayed at Colemans Transfer for 5 or 6 days waiting for a driver and "somehow" the back sliding door was opened to the elements INSTEAD OF BEING LOCKED WITH A PADLOCK. The footboard to our king sleigh bed had been walked on and broken in 3 or 4 places. Why was the footbed not standing upright with blankets placed around it so it had no chance of getting walked on???

Out of the kindness of their hearts our claim adjuster seemed to think we could buy another $1800 +/- quality king bed and $2000 frame for $2100. We were stuck with accepting their offer because the couch was getting reaaal old on this 71 year old body and my spouse was sleeping on a guest bed. We had other things either missing or broken such as glass lampshades and stand up lamp bases. Because we are just sick and tired of the run around and feet-dragging have decided not to file another claim. It just isn't worth the mental anguish.

The main ingredient I noticed throughout all the phases of our move with the packers, loaders and delivery men was; a lack of supervision, lack of training, lack of caring (wasn't their stuff). One of the packers was so new, she had to be given a pair of scissors (by me) just to break the packing tape. Without supervision she was tasked with packing my spouse's Curio cabinet full of my spouse's Flamingo Collection of which one of a pair of one-of-a-kind Flamingo Vases arrived in 30 or more shards. The same woman packed the kitchen. She thought a 4" plastic Lid was so fragile that she wrapped it by itself and must have thought a teaspoon was a treasure to be packed also by itself. Unbelievable!

I had 5 or 6 very fragile pieces of art that was wrapped in brown wrapping paper that I had the packer write in 3 inch letters; please put in mirror box. When it arrived at my new home, they all were still packed in just the brown paper. Another thing that can only be of one conclusion is the fact that my $200 dolly that had my 250 pound concrete Pelican figure secured to it never made it to my new address but the Pelican did!!

Allied Van Lines Company Information