2. Movers
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5

Allied Van Lines is a moving company offering local, long-distance, international, residential and corporate moves. It provides a wide array of moving services, including online tracking, full-service packing and full valuation coverage. Allied’s costs can be high, but customers enjoy the peace of mind they get from its long history of successful moves.

BOTTOM LINE

Allied Van Lines has performed around 250,000 moves in the past 15 years. Its services can be pricey, but the custom options and reliability outweigh that for some customers.

PROS

• Easy quote process
  • Online tracking
  • Wide range of moving services

CONS

• High costs

Top Allied Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Our packers in both Maryland and Washington were great. They were very professional and worked hard. All of our stuff was very well packed and we did not have any damage when we arrived in Washington. They even did a great job with our concert Grand Piano. Our driver, Santos, was fantastic.

We used Allied Movers when we moved from Jacksonville, FL to Georgia. Everyone was very professional and took very good care with all of our belongings. Would recommend them very highly. We have 2 handicapped people and they helped make the move easy. Overall it was a really good experience.

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines is a moving company that offers local, long-distance and international moves. It has experience moving homes and businesses. Allied has an array of moving services that make your move as smooth as possible, including temporary storage, auto transport and full-service packing.

To receive a quote, call Allied directly or go to its website and use its quote tool. Be aware that Allied requires an in-home inspection before your move.

How much does Allied Van Lines cost?

Expect a one-bedroom local move with Allied to cost between $500 and $600. Moving the items of a medium-sized home locally with packing services typically costs between $1,750 and $2,250. A long-distance move for a larger home starts at $2,000 and averages about $5,000. In general, Allied Van Lines' costs are a bit higher than its competitors’, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. We don’t recommend going with a company that has unusually low quotes — it’s better to choose movers you trust to do the job well.

You can get a rough estimate for your move with Allied Van Lines by requesting a quote online — just provide some details about your move and contact information. We've listed a few estimated costs for different services below.

Type of moveEstimated cost
One-bedroom local move$500 - $600
Medium-sized move with packing services$1,750 - $2,250
Large, long-distance move$2,000 - $6,000

Allied Van Lines moving services

Some services with Allied Van Lines are free, such as loading, unloading, shipment tracking, basic liability coverage, moving checklists, and furniture disassembly and assembly.

When you move with Allied, you can also opt to pay more for additional moving services, including:

• Full-value coverage
  • Debris removal
  • Custom crates
  • Storage

Allied Van Lines FAQ

Does Allied Van Lines have insurance?
Yes, Allied offers basic liability protection for free with every move. If the company loses or damages your belongings, it reimburses you $0.60 per pound. That means if 100 pounds of your items are lost, you get $60. You can also purchase full valuation coverage that reimburses you the value of everything lost.
Can I track my move with Allied?
Yes, Allied Van Lines has an online tracking tool you can use to check the status of a move.
Can Allied Van Lines move my car?
Yes, Allied Van Lines can find you an auto transporter to move your vehicle.
Does Allied Van Lines offer packing services?
Yes. With Allied Van Lines lets you choose full-service packing, fragile-item-only packing or DIY packing.

Is Allied Van Lines worth it?

Allied Van Lines is worth it for those willing to spend a little more to make sure their movers are seasoned professionals. It’s also a good choice for those looking for a large number of additional services. Its prices are a little high, but this isn’t necessarily a negative — we tend to be wary of unusually low prices that indicate a company might be cutting corners. Overall, Allied is a good choice for most moves.

Allied Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

Allied is a good company, the movers/packers turned on that old school music and started packing to the music. It was three of them and they packed everything very well until it was time to unpack. I had a total of 3 televisions and they swore up and down I only had 2 but the invoice didn't lie. I had three and they didn't realize it until after they had left.

In my kitchen I specially told the packer to pack a certain cabinet, that included all the pots and pans, to my surprise I only had the bottoms to all my pots. Well then unpacking clothes I had a few church suits, and some Jordan tennis shoes that came up missing, and some cable equipment. Man it was frightening. I had've had to pay for the equipment that was lost which would have cost me over $900. Man I talked to my consultant. We located all the everything. Someone had moved it to the other side with someone else's stuff. But glad that I knew the person they were shipping to otherwise I would've been up the creek

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

The guys were awesome.. I was moving across the country and I had to pack the car along with enough room for three boys ages 3 month 2 years and 4... They came and packed up everything to go into storage except what was needed for a 3 month stay.. and they did a marvelous job... then they saw how I'd packed the car... and they laughed and said they would repack it for more room.. which they did... and did I say they were awesome...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

We used the Allied Van Lines 5 yrs ago when we moved out of CA. They were professional as we expected. However, I noticed a suit box was missing when they delivered. So I asked them it was missing. They looked through the truck again and found it. It was opened. Other than that, they were prompt & professional.

Original review: May 7, 2020

We had a great move from Chicago To Indy during COVID-19. Ernie and Terry were our primary contacts and they were great at keeping the communications up. They brought their own PPE and washed their hands frequently. They packed everything up and delivered it to our new home in 3 days. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I hired Allied moving company to move me January 2020 from Texas to North Carolina. Overall the move went pretty well. I packed everything myself, having said that, once I got to my destination which was North Carolina there were several items broken. I purchased large floor size vases from Europe. Those were broken along with other items and allied sent me a letter after I submitted the claim stating that because they didn’t pack the items they were declining my claim so they paid for a couple of the items that were broken.

What I don’t understand is why would they pay for a couple of items that were broken of which they did not pack and not pay me for all of the items that were broken. That they did not pack...? Sounds like an excuse to not have to pay. They are trying to get over and it’s not right. They Should be held responsible for all the items broken and this is their way of getting out of having to pay the full amount... paying as less possible of course! I’ll never use them again.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Terrible overall service. Initially left some items behind in the house while packing which caused an additional shipment to be sent which they sent via another moving company vs themselves. Argued about paying the additional customs inspection charges for the additional shipment and then refused to pay for the additional delivery costs for the extra shipment - neither of which we would have had to pay if they had gotten it all in the first packing case forgetting some items which we had reminded them to pack.

Still have not received the extra items 3 months after the main shipment was delivered. 10k worth of damage done to furniture through water damage, mold and stacking of 2 and 3 person heavy lounges on the arms in the containers (breaking the arms). Insurance through them is terribly slow, taking 1 month to come and assess the boxes of mold affected items while we still had to store them at our house, then 3 months and still not resolving all the broken lounges. Don’t be impressed by the initial quote and professional appearance, everything soon falls apart.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Allied Van Lines moved my house belongings from Manitoba to Alberta. They are thorough, thoughtful, willing to discuss costs and timely for the delivery. Everything was packed and wrapped to the highest level. The small areas that needed correction upon receipt were managed quickly and covered by insurance. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

In a nutshell, NO, I would not recommend this company. I moved from New York to Carolina and after taking all day and Night to pack their truck, the driver went home without confirming content or weight of this truck, leaving it up to them to lie or not about the weight. Also, the "Salesman" specifically told us the maximum charge couldn't go over $5,400 but when we arrived they would not unload the truck until we paid $7,200, yes they held our belongings hostage. We paid, presented our contract but they continually dodged us and ultimately did NOTHING! RIP-OFF!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Moved from Florida to South Dakota. The packers just threw expensive items unwrapped in boxes, Had garage stuff mixed with good inside items. As an example, an unwrapped expensive dolphin wood carving was in our outside grill. Can't find any of our electronic cords and remotes because they didn't pack anything together. Collectibles were just thrown in boxes with heavy items packed on top. Gouges in some of our furniture. Packed unwrapped metal items into our bedroom dressers. The driver said he unloaded a headboard and it was behind the boxes that were unloaded in the garage. Nothing behind the boxes. If you use this company get ready to hear ad nauseam "Just put it on your claim". We have pictures to prove these statements.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Moving was on time for pick up and on time for delivery. There was NO damage at all, hidden or otherwise. Staff was very friendly. They were very respectful of us and our materials. Furniture was securely wrapped and placed in the truck with blanket padding.

Allied Van Lines Company Information