3.9/5 (466 ratings)

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines is a well-established moving company that helps households and businesses with local, long-distance and international relocations. Its services include full-service packing, short- and long-term storage, online shipment tracking and auto transport. It has been in business since 1928 and moves over 100,000 families each year.

Pros

• Online tracking
  • Wide availability
  • Easy quote process

Cons

• No 24/7 claims number
  • High costs for local moves

Bottom Line

Allied Van Lines offers a range of services to make relocations go as smoothly as possible. Quotes are on the higher end, but the customizable full-service options and reliability might be worth it for some customers.

Top Allied Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had a great move from Chicago To Indy during COVID-19. Ernie and Terry were our primary contacts and they were great at keeping the communications up. They brought their own PP...

Verified

The guys were awesome... I was moving across the country and I had to pack the car along with enough room for three boys ages 3 month 2 years and 4... They came and packed up ever...

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines works with an extensive network of movers across the country to facilitate moves almost anywhere. For local or interstate moves, it’s best to request a quote for the most accurate pricing estimate — just provide some details about your move and contact information.

If you like the quote, an Allied relocation assistant will help you plan and schedule your move. At this point, you'll have the opportunity to request additional services, such as storage in transit. Keep in mind that Allied requires a virtual or in-home inspection before your moving date. Once all your belongings are loaded up, you can track your shipment online or through an app.

Allied Van Lines moving costs

Allied Van Lines’ costs can vary greatly depending on where you live, where you’re going and how much stuff you have.

According to recent reviews, long-distance moves with packing services start between $2,000 and $5,000. The average cost for a cross-country move is $3,500 (based on an average weight of 7,000 pounds and a traveling distance of 1,000 miles).

The total weight of your shipment is one of the biggest price factors, so the estimate could be inaccurate if you don’t account for heavy items. Allied Van Lines has additional charges for certain services, such as full-service packing and car and boat transport.

Allied Van Lines moving services

Some services with Allied Van Lines are included in the upfront estimated price, such as loading and shipment tracking. The company can provide boxes and supplies for do-it-yourself packing, or you can hire a team to do it all, usually at an hourly rate. Some customers opt for fragile-only packing instead of full-service packing to reduce costs.

In addition to local and long-distance household moving, packing and supplies, Allied offers the following services:

• Corporate relocation
  • Cross-country moving
  • Interstate moving
  • International moving
  • Storage for in-transit items and long-term storage
  • Furniture disassembly and reassembly
  • Auto and boat transport

Allied Van Lines FAQ

Is Allied Van Lines a broker?

Allied Van Lines is registered as both a broker and a carrier, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Does Allied Van Lines have insurance?

Yes, Allied Van Lines includes basic liability coverage with every move. Under this coverage, if the company loses or damages your belongings, it reimburses you 60 cents per pound per article. This means that if your mover damages your 30-pound TV that’s worth $1,000, you would receive only $18. You can also purchase full valuation coverage, which reimburses you the actual value of items, through Allied’s Extra Care Protection plan.

Can I track my move with Allied?

Yes, Allied Van Lines has an online tracking tool you can use to check the status of a move.

Can Allied Van Lines move my car?

Yes, Allied Van Lines can find you an auto transporter to move your vehicle.

Does Allied Van Lines offer packing services?

Yes, Allied Van Lines offers full-service packing, fragile-item-only packing and supplies for DIY packing.

Is Allied Van Lines a good moving company?

Overall, we think Allied Van Lines is a good choice for most moves. Prices can be a little high, but this isn’t necessarily a negative — we tend to be wary of unusually low prices that indicate a company might be cutting corners. It’s worth it for those willing to spend a little more to make sure their movers are seasoned professionals — especially when moving over long distances.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

My entire experience from Chris, the salesperson, to Gary and Dillon, the men who moved me, was just the most pleasurable experience that one could hope for while going through such a stressful transition. They were consistently pleasant despite some very challenging logistics and weather conditions, as well as totally professional and respectful of me, the two properties and my belongings. The men worked so hard and the price was also quite reasonable, considering all things they had to go through - heavy rain, mud and ice and shuttling my stuff in smaller trucks to the tractor trailers that were too large to come to either house. They basically had to move everything twice on both ends of the move! What a bear of a job! I hope I never have to move again but, if I do, I would try to secure the same company and certainly these same men. They were awesome!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

The first leg of our (Howard & Angela **) move was outstanding (Feb 21, 2022). Your crew arrived on time (early), introduced themselves and requested a walk-through of the house and garage. Upon their review, they worked like an Orchestra on rapping, moving, taping, and guiding furniture/boxes to the truck with a jovial spirit. It was an experience my wife and I wish we could have captured on video. They were very respectful and courteous and represented Allied in a very outstanding light. As we say in the Navy, Bravo Zulu (BZ) for your moving staff and company. We look forward to seeing your crew on the other end of our move. Please pass on my family and I appreciation for their outstanding service.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Last month, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law moved from Florida to New York, and, due to health issues, were unable to oversee the move themselves. They contracted with Allied/Coleman and their salesman, Jeffery **, was extremely supportive throughout the process. Since their plan was to move to their new home ahead of all of their belongings, they asked me to be with the packers on packing day, and with the movers on loading day. The packers, Billy and Desiree, arrived on time, looked over the house, and immediately got set up to begin working. Nothing in the entire house had been packed, so they had their work cut out for them. They both worked nonstop, were fast and efficient, and still took great care with all of the items they had to pack. They were awesome!

The next day Darryl, the driver, arrived early along with two loaders. Darryl was experienced, friendly, and knowledgeable, and quickly made me feel comfortable about the process. He and the loaders did a great job wrapping the furniture in protective wrap, and loading all the furniture and boxes onto the truck. When the job was complete, Darryl went through all of the paperwork with me and again, I felt comfortable and not the least bit rushed. The truck arrived at its destination on the agreed date and no items were damaged in the move. I would highly recommend Allied/Coleman and especially the employees we were fortunate enough to deal with: Jeffery, Billy, Desiree, and Darryl. Thank you all!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Both gentlemen came on time to pack my belongings. Team leader called to say that they would be delayed being stuck in traffic. Within 2 -1/2 hours they had packed up and loaded the truck for delivery to my residence in Fort Myers. Every item was packed with due care that it not break in transit. They arrived past 6pm, and unpacked all boxes and carted the empties away. All furniture items were unwrapped and placed in places within the residence per my instructions. Overall, I was thrilled to have Allied movers take care of this chore and will always call on them if I move again. My sincere thanks to Team Leader Emelio, and assistant Jim. They did an excellent job.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I selected Marathon Movers for two reasons-price and an agent with Allied, a national transportation company. Little did I know, their: customer service, communication, professionalism, and service were all top notch. The process was simple, smooth, and unencumbered. Even during the sales process, I felt reassured. I never had any doubt this would be a breeze. At every stage of the move, I was well informed. In fact, I was usually kept up to date by not only the office but the driver of my furnishings. My hats off to Kathy, Michelle, Chris and Peanut. Sorry, I can’t recall the three movers that pick up my belongings. They were GREAT too. By the way, not one item was broken during transportation. If I ever mover again, I will not hesitate to call Marathon Movers. I strongly recommend them to anyone on the move. Great value, great execution, great experience. Marathon Movers, they do moves the old fashion way-RIGHT!

Original review: June 16, 2022

Excellent job by Chad ** in California for organizing the move. He brought in a very good crew. The team was efficient and friendly as well. The move was done on schedule within the agreed time frame. The team in NC was very good as well.

Original review: June 11, 2022

A bit of inexperience for the help that was sent. My 65" TV that didn't get crated was attempted to be wrapped in just a moving pad with the stand still attached before I said something and brown wrapped it basically myself. Finding stuff broken such as my desktop monitor that was packed in a 4.5 carton with barely any extra packing paper for protection or support and not labeled correctly enough for loading properly in preventing this matter. Most of boxes were soft topped and wrinkled/smushed. There was no help sent for the driver at my temporary living residence so I was helping haul stuff in or the driver was carrying things by himself; which in turn led to more damage when a ceiling fan globe was shattered from it. The customer service was very good and everyone was nice and they took care of me otherwise, but I am nervous to see how everything that went into storage fares out to be honest.

Original review: June 11, 2022

In my opinion, Allied Van Lines does not put their emphasis on doing what is best for the customer. I was not told they would need to send a shuttle for the initial pick-up. Loading the shuttle initially meant my things were handled multiple times before getting on the delivery truck. Because Allied accepted more moves than they have trucks, the driver of my load had to disassemble much of my furniture as well as unpacked multiple boxes, exposing items to breakage, in order to fit my things on the truck. The crew who loaded my things on the initial shuttle truck were very unprofessional and their work ethic was sloppy. I felt they did not respect my things. They were not careful and diligent as they worked. The office personnel were very efficient and communicated well. I had expected to receive a similar experience with the movers, but I did not.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I was promised a phone call on Friday to let me know when my goods would be loaded on Monday. No call came and I could not reach anyone by email or phone all weekend. I finally reached someone Monday morning who mistakenly told me I was scheduled for Tuesday. I objected and she double checked and got me the information on expected arrival time for my Monday (SAME DAY!) pick up. Also, a piece of my furniture was badly damaged during loading because an inexperienced employee picked up a large piece that should've been taken apart.

Original review: May 29, 2022

Sergio and his team were great. They all worked so hard and efficiently. Moved out of state and so far I’ve seen no damage whatsoever. I give them 10 out of 5 stars!!! Everything in an approximately 4000 sf house was packed carefully and organized very well, and within 5 days I went from Texas to Florida. If in any doubt these are the guys to use.

Allied Van Lines Company Information