2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.17/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Allied Van Lines is a moving company offering local, long-distance, international, residential and corporate moves. It provides a wide array of moving services, including online tracking, full-service packing and full valuation coverage. Allied’s costs can be high, but customers enjoy the peace of mind they get from its long history of successful moves.

BOTTOM LINE

Allied Van Lines has performed around 250,000 moves in the past 15 years. Its services can be pricey, but the custom options and reliability outweigh that for some customers.

PROS

• Easy quote process
    • Online tracking
    • Wide range of moving services

CONS

• High costs

Top Allied Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Our packers in both Maryland and Washington were great. They were very professional and worked hard. All of our stuff was very well packed and we did not have any damage when we arrived in Washington. They even did a great job with our concert Grand Piano. Our driver, Santos, was fantastic.

We used Allied Movers when we moved from Jacksonville, FL to Georgia. Everyone was very professional and took very good care with all of our belongings. Would recommend them very highly. We have 2 handicapped people and they helped make the move easy. Overall it was a really good experience.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines is a moving company that offers local, long-distance and international moves. It has experience moving homes and businesses. Allied has an array of moving services that make your move as smooth as possible, including temporary storage, auto transport and full-service packing.

To receive a quote, call Allied directly or go to its website and use its quote tool. Be aware that Allied requires an in-home inspection before your move.

How much does Allied Van Lines cost?

Expect a one-bedroom local move with Allied to cost between $500 and $600. Moving the items of a medium-sized home locally with packing services typically costs between $1,750 and $2,250. A long-distance move for a larger home starts at $2,000 and averages about $5,000. In general, Allied Van Lines' costs are a bit higher than its competitors’, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. We don’t recommend going with a company that has unusually low quotes — it’s better to choose movers you trust to do the job well.

You can get a rough estimate for your move with Allied Van Lines by requesting a quote online — just provide some details about your move and contact information. We've listed a few estimated costs for different services below.

Type of moveEstimated cost
      One-bedroom local move$500 - $600
      Medium-sized move with packing services$1,750 - $2,250
      Large, long-distance move$2,000 - $6,000

Allied Van Lines moving services

Some services with Allied Van Lines are free, such as loading, unloading, shipment tracking, basic liability coverage, moving checklists, and furniture disassembly and assembly.

When you move with Allied, you can also opt to pay more for additional moving services, including:

• Full-value coverage
      • Debris removal
      • Custom crates
      • Storage

Allied Van Lines FAQ

Does Allied Van Lines have insurance?
      Yes, Allied offers basic liability protection for free with every move. If the company loses or damages your belongings, it reimburses you $0.60 per pound. That means if 100 pounds of your items are lost, you get $60. You can also purchase full valuation coverage that reimburses you the value of everything lost.
      Can I track my move with Allied?
      Yes, Allied Van Lines has an online tracking tool you can use to check the status of a move.
      Can Allied Van Lines move my car?
      Yes, Allied Van Lines can find you an auto transporter to move your vehicle.
      Does Allied Van Lines offer packing services?
      Yes. With Allied Van Lines lets you choose full-service packing, fragile-item-only packing or DIY packing.

Is Allied Van Lines worth it?

Allied Van Lines is worth it for those willing to spend a little more to make sure their movers are seasoned professionals. It’s also a good choice for those looking for a large number of additional services. Its prices are a little high, but this isn’t necessarily a negative — we tend to be wary of unusually low prices that indicate a company might be cutting corners. Overall, Allied is a good choice for most moves.

Allied Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: May 7, 2020

We had a great move from Chicago To Indy during COVID-19. Ernie and Terry were our primary contacts and they were great at keeping the communications up. They brought their own PPE and washed their hands frequently. They packed everything up and delivered it to our new home in 3 days. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I hired Allied moving company to move me January 2020 from Texas to North Carolina. Overall the move went pretty well. I packed everything myself, having said that, once I got to my destination which was North Carolina there were several items broken. I purchased large floor size vases from Europe. Those were broken along with other items and allied sent me a letter after I submitted the claim stating that because they didn’t pack the items they were declining my claim so they paid for a couple of the items that were broken.

What I don’t understand is why would they pay for a couple of items that were broken of which they did not pack and not pay me for all of the items that were broken. That they did not pack...? Sounds like an excuse to not have to pay. They are trying to get over and it’s not right. They Should be held responsible for all the items broken and this is their way of getting out of having to pay the full amount... paying as less possible of course! I’ll never use them again.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
        Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Prompt on appointment for quote, pick up time and delivery time! Very professional and courteous! All my furniture and goods were handled without any damage whatsoever. Would rehire them if I ever moved again.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

The whole experience with this company was a nightmare. One day for boxing took 3 days. All the boxers did was complain. Showed up late and no motivation whatsoever. Asking is this going or that going. Each time YES we are moving out of state and taking everything. When boxers were done they had left all their trash (empty table wraps and drink bottles) all over the house. Truck comes and they can't load it all. So we had an overflow truck come out. We were heading to our new home the following day. It is getting around 8 PM the day before. They are rushing to get stuff on the truck. They weren't even wrapping the furniture or labeling the boxes at that point. Our overflow stuff sat in their warehouse for a month (We already paid them the full amount of almost 13 grand).

Our stuff was picked up by a driver after a month and was on his truck for almost 2 weeks before we got it. This is where it gets really ugly. Furniture coming off the truck hadn't been wrapped. So we have scratches on tables and busted ends on 2 of the end tables. A tall vase was brought off the truck not wrapped at all but in pieces. They brought it in our house that way. We are missing rugs and a 12 foot ladder. Not done unpacking the overflow stuff, but I am sure we are missing other items as well. Avoid this company at all costs. The only positive I will say about this whole process is that the loaders were pretty quick. Another thing is keep a garbage bag around. Drink bottles, cigarette butts, food garbage, and packing materials seem to have gotten left behind for me to clean up.

Original review: July 18, 2020

The worst moving experience I have EVER had. I’ve moved states 3 times prior. And moved 5 times within the state. Dale ** came out to walk my house. Most of our stuff was boxed and sitting in my garage. So, to me it seemed very clear how much we had and what needed to be loaded. He saw everything and gave me a quote. We received 3 bids and went with Allied. Loading day: The truck showed up with a prior load so the crew was unable to get all our stuff loaded. After trying to contact the office unsuccessfully, I was assured by the crew they’d get the rest on another truck the next day.

Allied showed up the next day with a box truck (REALLY?!?). STILL unable to load everything. I needed to leave so I could meet the driver in Utah to let him in our house to unload. Again, after being reassured they get everything I left. About 3 hours into my drive to Utah I get a call from Dale ** who then tells me that I need to pay a third party to come take apart our weight gym. THIS WAS THE FIRST I HEARD OF THIS. (Remember he walked my house and SAW everything) So, I ended up paying $300 to a third party to come take apart the weight gym while I was driving. I felt taken advantage of because I was backed into a corner. Hire the company or they wouldn’t load the gym.

5 days later the first truck showed up in Utah. Took about 6 hours to unload. 2 guys to unload and driver were excellent. Didn’t realize UNTIL AFTER THEY LEFT that they left a mattress standing up in my garage. 2 beds arrived out of 5 so my kids slept on the floor. I had to go buy a mattress so my kids had something to sleep on. (I was reimbursed – because we bought the full coverage insurance).

15 days later the SECOND truck shows up. (My kids first day of school in a new state, new school, new friends – they should have been done before they got home from school, right?! NOPE!) Took 3 guys 10 HOURS to unload. The driver worked hard. The 1st guy acted like he didn’t know anything so I stood outside most of the time reading boxes to him. The 2nd guy slept on the front lawn for 6 hours! Yes, you read that right 6 hours! At 8 pm I made a call to corporate to complain. (I missed EVERYTHING great about my kid's FIRST day of school.) They claimed they couldn’t get a couch through the front door so they left it in the garage.

68 days later the THIRD truck showed up. Half my stuff looked like it was stored outside. (Even after being reassured that it was being kept in a climate-controlled storage unit in Houston). So, what was told to me that our stuff would arrive in 7-10 days took 68 days.…BUT, I had to pay in full the first day they loaded 1/4 stuff.

The people I dealt with lied continually about the status of our stuff, never answered or returned my calls, made promises that clearly, they never intended to keep. BUT WERE PAID IN FULL THE SAME DAY ¼ OF MY STUFF LEFT HOUSTON. I’ll spare you the long list of lies I was told by Dale ** and Angie and the few others that work in the Houston office.

This ALL could have been a delightful experience IF THEY WOULD HAVE SHOWED UP DAY 1 WITH AN EMPTY SEMI TRAILER. 3 loads and with each load different items were left in my garage claiming they couldn’t get it through the door. I had to hired a local moving company 3 TIMES to move items into my house. Things were damaged along the way. The company they hired to come out to fix broken, ripped or damaged items were great to work with. This was an awful experience, awful!! I wouldn’t use this company to move if it was gifted to me. Please save yourself the stress and heartache and HIRE a different company.

Original review: May 28, 2020

We moved from Elkhart IN to Ponce Inlet FL. Paid for full pack and move with insurance $13,700. We have 4 reclining couches which required disassembly and the assembly at the new location. The assembly team in FL stripped nearly every bolt hole due to improper assembly. They have denied my claim stating the couches are functional. How about expecting them to be in the same condition they were in prior to the move. We will be moving again in about a year and the stripped threads I’m sure will be an issue. I highly recommend anyone that reads this finds a different company for their move. Allied doesn’t stand behind their work or their insurance.

Original review: May 13, 2020

Allied/Coleman Movers. I do NOT recommend Allied Coleman, dealing with them has been extremely stressful and resulted in some of my precious belongings being damaged. Being a retired Naval officer, I have moved 14 times in my 30 career. Most moves have gone seamlessly, even the overseas ones. That all ended with this most recent move from SC to FL.

Our initial contact with Allied was quite pleasant with a reasonable quote and the promise of personal, hands on service and a pledge to be there throughout the move. Little did we realize that this pledge was to be at a distance… and not always accessible. The pack-out was scheduled and a team of three came to pack out a three bedroom house with garage in one day. They were subcontracted by Allied and started work at 10 in the morning to begin their work. They worked all day and as the evening approached, they were less careful and when we asked about certain things not being packed, they indicated that the loaders would do it the next day and that they would leave packing material to make that happen.

The next morning when the driver and the two loaders arrived, the first thing they did was to complain that the packers had neither packed everything they should have and the packing they did was inadequate. I have never seen loaders move so slow and be so inefficient in their loading. Once again, the driver also complained about the loaders. By the middle of the afternoon, it became evident that not all our belongings would fit on the truck and an overflow load was scheduled for pickup. Our contact person at Allied who pledged to be with us throughout this move was of little help and finally found someone to come later to pick up the rest of the load. The person who picked up the overflow saw it as an inconvenience to come and pick up the rest of my things and treated them so...(the most damage came from this partial shipment).

On the last possible day to deliver the household goods, the driver arrived with a new team to bring the load into the house. Once again, the driver complained about the previous loaders as the new team was taking things off the truck and as a result, we could see evident damage which we recorded. A few days later the overflow arrived, delivered by a different driver than the one who picked up in SC. These goods had been transferred to his truck as he was making a delivery to our area of FL. He complained about the previous driver and noted damages even before he picked up some of the items.

The result was that over $7000 in damages and allied covering $2700 of that. They damaged a painting and my Henkel Harris table as well as numerous other items. They also lost a Tunisian rug which they did not reimburse me with. Needless to say, it was a mess. Everyone is a subcontractor and everyone complained about the inadequacies of the other. Allied’s coordination and help was minimal and insufficient. There are better and more efficient moving companies.

Original review: April 19, 2020

This was a nightmare move. I hired a national company for a lot of money so that it would go smoothly. Well, they outsourced about 5 times and my stuff had been taken apart, a beautiful credenza broken. Coleman Allied was the worst experience moving ever. Did I mention they were almost two weeks late? On top of that, they put a piece of furniture back together upside down and now it is nonfunctioning and I cannot take the whole thing apart and start over. I am furious and they will not respond. I am so stressed due to this experience.

Original review: April 3, 2020

Allied Van Lines #AVL 33722, came to the neighborhood on April 3, 2020 with furniture for the new neighbors. 4 people, all smokers left cigarette butts in the road. No social distancing or no masks. I'd like to let the company know but not sure how to contact them. I can't believe the older people in the house would even let them in. They wandered around outside my home on the sidewalk and street. I would not let this type of person in my home.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Allied Van Lines charged me $6800 to move me and they damaged quite a few things and "lost" two pieces of stereo equipment. The two pieces of equipment were in my storage unit when United came to load and move me but were somehow mysteriously not put on the inventory list and didn't arrive at my new location. Thus, the quotations around "Lost". I called the claims department and was told I would receive a claim form via email. I never received the form.

Allied Van Lines Company Information