2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.82/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Allied Van Lines is a moving company offering local, long-distance, international, residential and corporate moves. It provides a wide array of moving services, including online tracking, full-service packing and full valuation coverage. Allied’s costs can be high, but customers enjoy the peace of mind they get from its long history of successful moves.

BOTTOM LINE

Allied Van Lines has performed around 250,000 moves in the past 15 years. Its services can be pricey, but the custom options and reliability outweigh that for some customers.

PROS

• Easy quote process
    • Online tracking
    • Wide range of moving services

CONS

• High costs

Top Allied Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Our packers in both Maryland and Washington were great. They were very professional and worked hard. All of our stuff was very well packed and we did not have any damage when we arrived in Washington. They even did a great job with our concert Grand Piano. Our driver, Santos, was fantastic.

We used Allied Movers when we moved from Jacksonville, FL to Georgia. Everyone was very professional and took very good care with all of our belongings. Would recommend them very highly. We have 2 handicapped people and they helped make the move easy. Overall it was a really good experience.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines is a moving company that offers local, long-distance and international moves. It has experience moving homes and businesses. Allied has an array of moving services that make your move as smooth as possible, including temporary storage, auto transport and full-service packing.

To receive a quote, call Allied directly or go to its website and use its quote tool. Be aware that Allied requires an in-home inspection before your move.

How much does Allied Van Lines cost?

Expect a one-bedroom local move with Allied to cost between $500 and $600. Moving the items of a medium-sized home locally with packing services typically costs between $1,750 and $2,250. A long-distance move for a larger home starts at $2,000 and averages about $5,000. In general, Allied Van Lines' costs are a bit higher than its competitors’, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. We don’t recommend going with a company that has unusually low quotes — it’s better to choose movers you trust to do the job well.

You can get a rough estimate for your move with Allied Van Lines by requesting a quote online — just provide some details about your move and contact information. We've listed a few estimated costs for different services below.

Type of moveEstimated cost
      One-bedroom local move$500 - $600
      Medium-sized move with packing services$1,750 - $2,250
      Large, long-distance move$2,000 - $6,000

Allied Van Lines moving services

Some services with Allied Van Lines are free, such as loading, unloading, shipment tracking, basic liability coverage, moving checklists, and furniture disassembly and assembly.

When you move with Allied, you can also opt to pay more for additional moving services, including:

• Full-value coverage
      • Debris removal
      • Custom crates
      • Storage

Allied Van Lines FAQ

Does Allied Van Lines have insurance?
      Yes, Allied offers basic liability protection for free with every move. If the company loses or damages your belongings, it reimburses you $0.60 per pound. That means if 100 pounds of your items are lost, you get $60. You can also purchase full valuation coverage that reimburses you the value of everything lost.
      Can I track my move with Allied?
      Yes, Allied Van Lines has an online tracking tool you can use to check the status of a move.
      Can Allied Van Lines move my car?
      Yes, Allied Van Lines can find you an auto transporter to move your vehicle.
      Does Allied Van Lines offer packing services?
      Yes. With Allied Van Lines lets you choose full-service packing, fragile-item-only packing or DIY packing.

Is Allied Van Lines worth it?

Allied Van Lines is worth it for those willing to spend a little more to make sure their movers are seasoned professionals. It’s also a good choice for those looking for a large number of additional services. Its prices are a little high, but this isn’t necessarily a negative — we tend to be wary of unusually low prices that indicate a company might be cutting corners. Overall, Allied is a good choice for most moves.

Allied Van Lines Reviews

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

We used the Allied Van Lines 5 yrs ago when we moved out of CA. They were professional as we expected. However, I noticed a suit box was missing when they delivered. So I asked them it was missing. They looked through the truck again and found it. It was opened. Other than that, they were prompt & professional.

Original review: May 7, 2020

We had a great move from Chicago To Indy during COVID-19. Ernie and Terry were our primary contacts and they were great at keeping the communications up. They brought their own PPE and washed their hands frequently. They packed everything up and delivered it to our new home in 3 days. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I hired Allied moving company to move me January 2020 from Texas to North Carolina. Overall the move went pretty well. I packed everything myself, having said that, once I got to my destination which was North Carolina there were several items broken. I purchased large floor size vases from Europe. Those were broken along with other items and allied sent me a letter after I submitted the claim stating that because they didn’t pack the items they were declining my claim so they paid for a couple of the items that were broken.

What I don’t understand is why would they pay for a couple of items that were broken of which they did not pack and not pay me for all of the items that were broken. That they did not pack...? Sounds like an excuse to not have to pay. They are trying to get over and it’s not right. They Should be held responsible for all the items broken and this is their way of getting out of having to pay the full amount... paying as less possible of course! I’ll never use them again.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Moved from Florida to South Dakota. The packers just threw expensive items unwrapped in boxes, Had garage stuff mixed with good inside items. As an example, an unwrapped expensive dolphin wood carving was in our outside grill. Can't find any of our electronic cords and remotes because they didn't pack anything together. Collectibles were just thrown in boxes with heavy items packed on top. Gouges in some of our furniture. Packed unwrapped metal items into our bedroom dressers. The driver said he unloaded a headboard and it was behind the boxes that were unloaded in the garage. Nothing behind the boxes. If you use this company get ready to hear ad nauseam "Just put it on your claim". We have pictures to prove these statements.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

I moved cross country. I paid extra to expedite the move; it arrived a week late. I was heartbroken that many of my things were damaged and destroyed and not replaceable. I filed a complaint but have not heard back. I also spoke with someone in customer service who said she would call me back. After waiting 2 weeks, I called her. She initially picked up then after looking up my contract number the call got disconnected. I tried to call her back and left messages and have not heard back nor has she tried to reach me. Customer service has made a bad situation that much worse. I would never used Allied again. I have never filed a negative review before. Moving experiences in the past were uneventful; I had no idea things could go so wrong.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I contacted this company by phone to see about getting a quote on moving from our home to a new home that was 12 miles apart. The home we were moving from was a 1 bedroom 750 sf home. The price they gave me was outrageous. I contacted another moving company (Two Men and a Truck) and they were less than half the cost. I would not recommend Allied.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

I moved after 46 years. I was supposed to get North American because I had Read the reviews but their parent company Allied showed up. They came with nothing, no extra boxes, nothing. Suppose to shrink wrap my husband's wood, antique, irreplaceable high chair that made into a table and chair. Never did. It broke into pieces. Lost lamp shades to three lamps. Lost my teak patio bench. Lost my Cosco folding tables (2) from Costco. Lost my kitchen pans. The list just goes on.

My things went into storage they broke stuff putting it in storage. Gave me the bill of lading. I paid in full with a cashier's check that was required. No credit cards or there was a fee. Then several months later some woman called me. Wanted another $213.00. Said the driver didn’t charge me enough but he gave me what the company charged. Decided after a month wasn’t worth the stress so paid over the phone with a credit card, amazingly no fee. Then a month later said I hadn’t so I had to send proof on my CC Bill I had plus the copy they had sent me that I had. That woman is no longer employed there and hasn’t been for over a year. By the way the driver retired not too long after my move. I Felt since I was a female and a widow I was taken advantage of. Never use Allied again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I contracted Allied Van Lines in 2004 to move from Long Island, New York to Charlotte, North Carolina. At the time we contracted, they proposed a maximum price of $5,400 for my move, when destination was reached, they held my contents hostage unless I paid $7,200 for the move. I was panicked and needed my belongings so I paid the gouged higher price! This is criminal activity and I was too young and broke to sue them or otherwise recover their obvious bait and switch tactic ransom up-charge!... Stay away from these crooks!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

Very reliable company. Great workers. Came on time, moved furniture in a timely manner, neatly replaced furniture. They were cheaper than most moving company. Thanks Allied. The experience was alright with me.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

From start to finish, working with Allied was a terrible experience. First, we were told that the movers would come on a certain day, and when I called to confirm 2 days prior (because I hadn't heard back via email to confirm), I was told the movers would actually take 2 days and would come the next day. Next, when items were being packed, an entire closet was missed (Luckily, we did a walk through before we moved). Finally, Allied lost nearly $3,000 of items in our move, including our wedding silver, an unused designer purse and attachments for our Dyson vacuum (not to mention things we likely haven't noticed). When I submitted a claim, I was told that since we signed for our items, the claim was invalid (as if one could actually know what was in every box the day they were dropped off). We paid $14k for the pleasure of this terrible experience. AVOID ALLIED AT ALL COSTS.

Allied Van Lines Company Information