1.03/5

Discover the right moving company for you

314 Allied Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The move started great, the 2 young men that came to load the truck, were so professional, helpful and kind. That’s where the good ended!! After they had all my things, my life, they texted to say that I needed to give $667 more!! They picked up on September 14. On September 17 she TEXTED “the driver was on his way to load and would not take it until I paid the additional money“... I reluctantly paid... 6 days later I called to find out where the truck was... My things were still in a warehouse Naples, Florida!!! Today’s date is October 6th and I STILL DO NOT have my things!!! I trusted them and they really let me down!!! Now I have to wait and hope that my “life” gets here all in one piece! I would NEVER use Allied again!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Never EVER do business with this company. Moved from Oklahoma to Ohio and I got a call Friday that my stuff would be here on Monday morning. I drove all day Sunday to get to my new home, and come Monday, they didn't show up. So I called them and they told me that my stuff would be here a week later. What utter **. Now I have to live here and start a new job with an absolutely empty apartment. Haven't gotten my stuff yet, but after reading these reviews, I expect a lot of it to be broken and uncompensated smh. An absolutely ** joke of a company.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Worst experience of my family's life. Allied employees were disrespectful, careless, and did not care about our things. We asked them to cover our staircase to avoid damage, and they refused, insisting that "they've done this before". The very first item they brought downstairs, they didn't tape the drawers shut, one flew open and fell over the banister, crashing on the floor below. Our staircase and that item were damaged.

They were completely disrespectful toward our home and privacy. They went into our kitchen and helped themselves to drinks, never asking for permission. They left our bathrooms a mess. It will take us days to clean up after them and have the house reasonably presentable for the new homeowners. When we told the movers that a certain piece of furniture came apart to be transported, they ignored us and insisted they couldn't move the piece, telling us "we should have sold it". We had to literally show them how to do their jobs, dismantle the item, and do the work ourselves. The truck came late and it took over 10 hours for them to do their job. They ignored our "FRAGILE" signs on our boxes and dumped them under heavy items. They banged into our walls and left dents. I can't help but feel insulted by this whole experience. NEVER work with this company.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We hired an Allied Van Lines moving company in San Antonio, Texas Berger Moving & Storage/San Antonio to move us to the east coast. The local San Antonio company who was moving us began moving other people's items into our home, until I noticed and said something to the driver. After a few months, I noticed we were missing a box spring to my son's full size mattress. I filed a claim and after two months they denied any sort of compensation and could not find my missing item... Poor business. Will never use again. Criminals.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We hired Allied Van Lines for a move to a different state. Upon delivery it took all day to unload the truck so there was no time to go through each of the over 220 items and boxes immediately. When I did go through them I found some broken items and a missing item. When I put in the claim, they told me that they would cover nothing because I didn't note damage at unloading, and they didn't even consider the missing item. I will never use this company again, and would recommend avoiding them at all cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Hired an Allied company for interstate move. Bunk bed, ladder and table lost. Dishes broken, coffee table completely destroyed, bed irreparable, and more. I didn’t expect all damages to be reimbursed, but certainly expected the items never delivered to be reimbursed. Nothing was reimbursed. 30% broken, 0% reimbursed.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Horrible experience. I will never use these guys again and am turning others away from using them. They overcharged as well as broke and lost several treasured items. The insurance I paid to cover such losses and damage was never taken into consideration and I was not reimbursed for anything.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I will echo what other reviewers have said: Allied charges high prices, does not deliver in a timely manner, and their local representatives are not very professional. My move was relatively small, and they: a) picked it up late, b) held it in the origin warehouse until after their own delivery date estimate, c) delivered three weeks later and d) still managed to lose something. I've moved several times and I know how a moving inventory is properly done when a professional company does it. The one they did for my move was inexact and confusing. There are many other companies recognized nationwide. Please choose any of them instead of Allied.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

We had to move quickly to relocate for a job. They were the only company I could book in such a short time frame. They were 2 days late picking up. It took 2 MONTHS to get our stuff delivered. All of the boxes were damaged in one way or the other then they charged me an extra $1,000 for going over what THEY quoted me. The “manager” told me he’d just drop my stuff in my yard if I didn’t pay them. Absolute worst customer service. Stay away from these guys. They’re nothing but crooks and liars.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

The packers treated the ceramic sculpture items specifically designated as "High Value" with the same care as the Tupperware. They had been packed with multiple items in a box and simply wrapped in paper and stacked on top of each other like any normal box. Of the 7 boxes that had "high value" items, I received three with broken items. The customer service people have never acknowledged that anything was broken, even after receiving pictures of the breakage. They drag their feet and expect the customer to do all the research on replacement items then find ways to weasel out of paying for the damage. This shows a total lack of integrity or concern for the customer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

They load in at the my origin state was horrible. They loaded my trash bag in with the rest of the stuff, and when I asked for them to remove it later on, they lied to me and said "I got it" multiple times via text. Later, I see at the destination it has not been removed, and the mold infestation (to no surprise) grew worse. In a previous review, I said the only pros was Matt, the manager, was responsive to my requests. LIARS. LIARS. LIARS. I rescind my comments about Matt, the primary manager, being one of the pros. He contacted me to see if there was something that could be done about the negative review, and once I became too insulting of his worker who lied to me, he rescinded both his apology and his offer to provide some money back (which I absolutely deserve some money back as I did not receive what was agreed upon). Once again, LIARS. LIARS. LIARS.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Coleman moving in Omaha sent 3 inexperienced kids to pack and load furniture laps, small appliances etc in June 2017. Crew chief said this was his first time. Total disorganized. Inventory was poorly written. Items left off (small microwave, 2 wheel dolly) went missing. The crew that delivered was equally as untrained. Glass shelves missing, broken laps, buffet had corner knocked off, scratches on tables, end tables, footstools, etc. Allied refuses to pay for damages as submitted. Pictures of damages were sent but Allied claims none received. Claim process very poor.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Steer Clear! Consumer beware. We had an extremely poor experience with Allied Van Lines. The delivery of goods was late, the truck was unloaded into a warehouse, an independent agent was contracted to deliver our truck. We were told by the salesperson that the move would be handled by Allied and that they did not use independent agents. That was very deceitful. Customer service and our move coordinator both indicated that it was a very busy summer and that Allied had basically overbooked like an airline. Well similar to an airline, Allied does not adequately compensate people for hotels or items that have to be purchased due to the delay. Bottom line - Very pricey, poor customer service and an overall distressing experience.

Original review: July 18, 2018

A driver for this company was in a 53-foot fleet truck in the right lane at a stop light at an intersection in Culver City California and I pulled up next to the truck to make a left while the light was still red. After the first car ahead of me made its left, the Allied Van Lines truck driver turned from the right lane into the left turn lane and nearly hit my Toyota Prius. The driver then had the gall to pull up next to me and ask if I couldn't see his truck and needed glasses when he was in the wrong lane and nearly crashed into my car. This company has aggressive and incompetent drivers working for them, so beware of their huge jack-o-lantern-colored trucks on the road.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I moved last July. In the move there were items damaged, there were items missing, the only thing they unpacked were the lamps they packed. In order to do so, they walked over the boxes containing china, chandeliers, and damaged items. Trying to locate lamps. The laptops with sockets were broken, base completely cracked on Tiffany lamp, Mies van der Rohe leather destroyed, buttons missing, BBQ placed on side of leather sofa, box of sterling silver they packed missing, dining chairs damaged. Mover stated, the leather will go back into place on sofa which was damaged. I took and send over 100 photos on 20JULY2018, and reply was, "Wait until you are finished with all unpacking, you have 9 months."

I had FULL INSURANCE COVERAGE as well. I sent in claim just before the 9 month deadline. They declined nearly everything saying, "How do we know you did not do this after, you have been living with the furniture 9 months." I sent them the dates photos taken and email telling me to wait until the 9 months. They refused to do anything more, and to date the several items they admitted to having done, no reimbursement. DO NOT USE ALLIED VAN LINES. Still trying to escalate with Allied. There was over 20,000 in damage. They want to give me 2000.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I am currently at +32 days and still waiting for the delivery of all my household goods. The worst customer experience I have ever had. The claims system does not cover the costs that I have incurred from this delay in service.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Our experience started off right. We got a quote from a representative and were happy with his professionalism. The movers came in their window, were polite, and did a good job with packing. That’s where our good experience ended. Fast forward two weeks, we have no clue where our 100k+ and sentimental worldly belongings are. Our move coordinator keeps giving us the run around by saying, “I’ll find out and call you back.” Not once has she called us back. Today is the day they said our things would arrive. I took off work, we’ve been sleeping on an air mattress, and yet no call, no confirmation. We called and they said our things were sent via train because they ran out of trucks. That’s funny, because our coordinator said she knew the name of our driver and said he would call us.

I called Allied customer service this morning and the woman ended up hanging up on me when I was still talking. Every rep has been unapologetic, terse, and conveniently unaware of how to track our belongings or give us answers. Tomorrow is the last day you have to deliver our things before you start paying US. $14,000 is what we are paying for this move and honestly Amazon handles my shipment of toilet paper better than you handle someone’s entire life. It’s an absolute shame but people will continue to hire you because every moving company is incompetent and has no drive to be competitive or improve.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We had a "Project Manager" come out and give us a quote. All was well until the actual moving day. The lead mover performed a walkthrough with me and then went on to say "we can't fit everything into my truck". It was not until about 4 m on moving day another truck was found. However, we did not know that the second shipment would not show up on the same day as the first. The first shipment arrived on June 6 which was in the contracted window of delivery for June 6 - 13.

After multiple emails and phone calls with the contracted company, I did not receive a date until 2 days before delivery which will be exactly 11 days outside of the contracted delivery window. Even after emailing the CEO and President of Moving Services of Sirva (company that owns Allied), they refuse to provide any compensation on this breach of contract. This company needs to be stopped and put out of business after reading the other reviews on here. I saw a couple reviews regarding a class action lawsuit. I am in! Please contact me if anyone has started one.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Our move from Colorado to British Columbia was a nightmare from start to finish. Goods were carefully and painstakingly packed by us and contents of all boxes were clearly marked and fragile items clearly flagged, The loading supervisor simply wrote PBO for each carton on the inventory sheet. When questioned, he stated that he had experience with international moves and that using PBO was common practice. When we presented our copy of the inventory sheets to the Canadian Customs office, they made us fill out declaration forms stating exactly what was being shipped and providing a value for each item.

About two hours work that should not have been required had the movers done their job properly. Goods were not shipped on time causing unnecessary expenses for rental of two storage units at destination site, When items eventually were received at the destination site, several majors pieces of furniture were damaged. Three cartons of goods including our pots and pans were missing. Claims were filed for damaged and missing items. Repairs were authorized for the damaged furniture, but the damaged goods that had been packed by us were not replaced and our claim for missing items was denied as well. We have asked the company to reconsider our request but this has fallen on deaf ears, Poor service, poor after service support, poor us!

Original review: May 9, 2018

We recently moved from Joppa, MD (just north of Baltimore) to West Chicago, IL with Victory Van Corporation/Allied Van Lines. The packers missed drawers of items that were not packed and yet packed lots of items that should not have been packed (including new owner's mail & boxes new owner had stored that we had clearly labeled not to move). Even worse, the driver and loaders missed an entire section of the basement so roughly 10-12 boxes/bins of Christmas decorations, etc. were left behind. The driver was shown this area in the initial walkthrough but did not load it. The driver was supposed to inventory and sticker every item upon arrival but did not do so for most items until loading. Therefore this area was missed by driver and my wife in pre-departure walkthrough.

When made aware of this situation, Victory claimed that this was not their responsibility at all since we had missed it. To top it all, the driver arrived a day early and pushed us to allow the unloading since he had already hired help for that day even though the contract said the next day. Our contractors were still working on much of the house so most of our belongings had to be placed in the garage instead of the house, forcing us to move them later. Bottom line: mistakes happen in every move, but look for a company that will stand behind their commitments and their work. Victory Van Corporation, and apparently Allied do not.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I know moving is terrible. I know they don't arrive on time. These movers, Allied Van Lines, hire sexist management who treat their workers AND customers horribly. I heard my drivers getting yelled at by their manager TWICE, without the phone even being on speaker, to get me to sign a BLANK contract. Blank, I'm assuming, so the manager could fill out whatever he wanted and make me pay who knows what! The driver gave me a courtesy call the day before he was coming to give me the time frame he'd come by for, so I had his number. We spoke a couple of times before he arrived as the time kept getting pushed back due to his other jobs. When the movers got to my place, they had not weighed their payload. I was told by my contracting company they would have weighed it beforehand.

So I called the manager at Allied Van Lines. He blatantly lied to me claiming the driver hadn't been on any other jobs that day and that we should use the weight of the truck from the day before. He told me I was mistaken that the driver had been doing other jobs that day. Basically, he wanted me to pay for the weight of my total plus two other people's totals! AND he wanted me to sign a blank contract! He told me to calm down and used girly pet names for me like I'm a child. I found him to be VERY condescending, and I wasn't even yelling at this pig. He then claimed that my 1 bedroom apartment would be cheaper to do by volume and not by weight. My contracting company stated my job was to be done by WEIGHT and not by volume as volume is much, much more expensive.

The manager lied to me again, stating that going by volume is cheaper. I did the math according to our contract, volume would have been 300-500$ more. This man, ASAF is his name by the way, should be fired for being a patronizing, abusive con man. I'll update if they actually come and pick my stuff up and complete my order. I'm so glad I have a 3rd party contracting company to help me get this swindler to actually do his job. I really hated being treated like an idiot because I'm female. It's really disgusting, what year is this? No man would've been called "sweetie". I'll tell you that much!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I only give them one star because they answered the telephone. They gave me a quote of approximately $3400.00. My husband and I packed up ourselves except big ticket items. The quote started going up and up and up the closer we got to the moving date. They never, ever sent anyone out to assess the items I was moving. I sold a 2500 square foot home that I had lived in for 20 years! A non-English speaking person arrived with 2 old men. They arrived in a 24/26 foot Penske truck and told me he could only load 1/2 his truck with our things because he had another customer waiting. He was 5 hours late arriving. Then the price jumped to $13,000.00 and probably would be delivered within the "next 30 days"!!! I had less than24 hours to vacate the property. I sold my home.

The men left for lunch. He called his office and said we left him alone at our home for hours and we did not come back. Said we went for cigarettes! We don't smoke and who would leave strangers with a moving truck inside their packed up home? Get real! To add insult to insult, he tried to tell us it was even more money for them to walk up the steps and more money for them to pack up the big screen tv! He was sooo fired. We rented a U-Haul truck, a driver and left. I have read so many complaints about this company. Does anyone want to start a class action lawsuit? I'm game! Seriously. They need to be stopped, put out of business, fined to say the least. We are out of $5000.00 when all said and done, but that's okay. I have all my things. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A RIPOFF.

Original review: April 15, 2018

We received a quote from Allied prior to our move. We were told there was no reason to contact Allied if we needed to add more or remove any shipping items that it would be adjusted after pickup. We moved so much less because we sold many things that was unexpected from offers and we also packed 90% of what needed to be shipped that was on the original quote. When requesting a refund the response from Coleman was: "Any changes to the quote or pricing have to be done prior to the move taking place. Once everything is loaded and moved the price is locked. I am sorry Charlotte but there's really nothing we can do after the fact. Thank you,"

My reply was, "Wow really? We believe you said there was no need to let you know when we added or removed from the original quote. It would be adjusted after it was picked up and weighed. So if we added the rest of our furniture from the 2 rooms and the television we said we weren't taking we could have really got a deal! That just doesn't sound right." I never received any more communications from Allied. Not happy with Allied at all.

Original review: April 14, 2018

One month back we moved to Toronto from Atlanta we are still waiting for our stuff. The moving coordinator never picks up the call. They don't care what all problems we are facing without our things. We have a family with little children. We are very sad about their behavior and mismanagement. They should train their salespeople and coordinator to be responsive and not picking up calls makes the customer very angry.

Original review: April 3, 2018

We discovered that 6 boxes and a garment bag were missing after our move from WV to Maine. I made a very detailed honest claim of items that never made it to Maine, as I had packed the boxes myself. After filing the claim, Allied Van Lines refuses to be accountable or reimburse us for the loss. They pack three households into one large moving van, and hire locals to help them unpack. It is impossible to keep track of 4-5 men hauling in boxes into several doors of the house. It's only until months later you discover the missing items. The tone of their rejection letter was basically calling us liars. They are the ones who are thieves and liars.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The move just won't end. Cannot begin to comprehend the experience we have had on this our fifth move with Allied Van Lines. Never had a problem - until now. First the agent overestimated the weight so that they could overcharge us. Their customer service representative even admitted the weight overcharge resulting in nearly $1000 of necessary overpayment to receive our belongings. Packing was a joke. The agent promised to be onsite during the packing and loading. Never saw him after signing the contract. Packing was precarious with minimal protection for our belongings even though my husband called them out on it during loading. Damage to the house we were moving out of - gouge on every stair of our staircase and the wall.

Belongings took a week longer to arrive than promised and they never called to let us know they were arriving. Several items damaged. Claims rep more interested in pointing out that our claim never had a correct address listed (but miraculously, the meager check for not even 1/3 of the claim did list our address correctly) rather than diffusing an irate customer by simply further investigating our claim. We are back to waiting for an investigation to our claim because the driver lied and stated that we damaged our own belongings. We have now provided time-stamped photos proving items came off the truck broken. Not holding our breath that this will be resolved to our satisfaction. Will never use Allied Van Lines again and will advise everyone we know and those we do not to never use them either.

Original review: March 24, 2018

We hired Allied to move us across the country. We paid for extra insurance as well. Not only did it take 2 weeks for our stuff to arrive, there was so much damage it was insurmountable. When we submitted our claim it took 4 months to even hear back from them. When we did they offered even less than we had paid for the additional insurance. It was a slap in the face! We are now in a battle to even get our things fixed or replaced. The employees in the claims department are rude, dismissive and act like you are wasting their time to get resolution. It has been the most heartbreaking and unbearable experience ever. They broke family heirlooms, irreplaceable memories and antiques. We even hired their packing team. Just please listen to me. DON'T HIRE THEM!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I hired this company to pack my items, have the items stored, then delivered to a new home. Can’t even tell you how many furniture pieces arrived broken or destroyed. The worst was vintage camera lenses that were stolen. The company never called me back despite multiple calls and finally responded to an email but only stated it was not their problem. Also a new soundbar system was also stolen. I also had a new mattress that arrived as though they had unpacked it, dragged it through dirt. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE THIEVES and are completely reckless with your belongings. I am prior active duty and went through several moves with the same furniture and items through 5 moves with no problems. Their customer service was shamelessly unresponsive about the missing items or the destroyed items.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Shady company, use someone else, 0 stars out of 5, where do I begin? Packing took 4 days and could have only taken 3. Overheard movers saying to slow down the packing because they would finish too quickly. They were milking the clock until they had the clock out time they wanted, on their time. I’m sorry, but I thought I was the customer. Multiple furniture items were damaged and scraped including a ripped off chunk of wood on the bottom of one of my dressers. A massive scrape on my entertainment cabinet. Two massive deep scrapes and damaged wood corners of my pingpong table. My husband’s desk had a broken piece of wood that is split in half near the bottom.

Also, my Dyson Vacuum that costs around $800 was completely broken. And a bunch of other little nicks on various other pieces of furniture. Seemed like the movers didn’t take careful care of bigger furniture items. The packers themselves were relatively nice other than they came to work completely trashed from the night before. One man in particular looked like he hasn’t slept in days and was clearly evident he was doing cocaine the night before and most likely the morning of. Another one was still drunk from the night before drinking 2 fifths as one of the movers explained to me.

So if you want functioning alcoholics and cocaine-using degenerates handling your belongings, go ahead. Just very unprofessional. I can see why I had so many careless scrapes on my furniture and walls from boxes and furniture pieces scraping the walls. Not to mention the hardwood floors being scraped to all hell because they didn’t lay down the proper floor protection, and yet alone walk on it.

Also had an item stolen and they deny they stole it. I am a medical marijuana user and had a bong pipe out. One of the packers named Eric **, claimed he could pack it up for me so I wouldn’t have to take it in my car. So I thought, hey one less item to pack in my car! His words exactly “Oh I’ll make sure it’s packed up real nicely for you” with a smug look on his face. I was called downstairs from another packer to check on an item. When I came back upstairs, the item (bong) was gone so I just assumed he took care of it and packed it (but he really just stole it for himself and probably put it in his car while I was downstairs).

Fast forward to when I unpacked everything, that particular item was nowhere to be found. I emailed Allied to report the several damaged items and my missing pipe. They emailed me back saying they have no idea where the bong is and then proceeded to explain that they’re not allowed to pack paraphernalia on the truck and that it was my responsibility to have packed it. So why didn’t they tell me this in the first place? First of all that’s basically an excuse to just steal that item. It's 2018, that pipe can be said to be of tobacco use and you can still move it. I’m not stupid. So from what I take it, is that pipe never made it on the truck and was just basically stolen from the guy that packed it for me.

Now onto the damaged items. I was never asked what package of insurance I wanted for my furniture in the instance that if they were damaged how I would be reimbursed. So when I sent in the pictures of all my damaged furniture and belongings, I was sent back that I would be compensated by the weight of the items and not the actual value of said items. So for my $800 Dyson vacuum they said it was 35lbs and that I would only get $21 for it to be fixed… I’m sorry but that is not how it works. That is completely undermining the value of the product that should have never been broken in the first place if it was properly taken care of. And the response was that the basic packaged that I picked and it’s based on weight of the item and not the value.

So I basically only get $400 back when the damages were around $1,500+. Just very poor customer service. I was never given the option of what package to pick for damages. So moral of the story, if you like to be taken care of, pay more money and go with another company that has competent movers that are willing to actually take care of you. I’ll never use this company again as it was a nightmare and the simple fact that if they’re willing to steal an item and not acknowledge it, then what else did they steal that I don’t know about. The half owner of the company doesn’t even care what just happened to me. If the owner doesn’t even care, that is all I need to know why I received the incompetent care that I did. I just don’t want other people to have to go through what I have in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. ALLIED IS RESTING ON PAST LAURELS. Things arrive broken including a 5000 dining room table and over 3000 dollars in art. In addition many items arrived scratched and it took them 2 moves...which occurred 2 months apart. Calling customer service was worthless in resolving issues. The driver was incredible rude and actually told me he expected a tip. The tip I gave him was to get some manners and learn how to do his job. He was rude and awful. This was the worst moving experience of my life, bar none and I moved this furniture 5 times. They richly deserve all the horrible ratings they get.

Allied Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Allied is a trusted national and international moving company capable of offering you a variety of services throughout the course of your move. It was founded in 1928 and is one of the largest relocation and van line companies in the country.

• Capacity: Because they are such a large company, they have the capacity to handle moves of all sizes and to give you accurate price and timeline estimates.

• Experience: The Allied team has over 85 years of moving experience as relocation experts and has a vast array of satisfied clients.

• Corporate moving: The company offers both corporate relocation services and lump-sum relocation packages in order to help businesses get back into operational mode immediately.

• Customer service: It provides excellent customer service through call centers and multiple branch offices.

• Customized packages: Allied offers customized packages for people who are moving, depending on their individual needs.

• Best for: Corporations, households and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs