1.16/5

Discover the right moving company for you

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

320 Allied Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I would give no stars if I could. Cross country move. I had them pack breakable items. I paid for additional insurance top dollar that they offered... a joke by the way. They lost, broke and chipped items. Reported once I started unpacking that items were not here or broken. They claimed I should have done inventory as the boxes came off the truck. Boxes were not labeled correctly nor were the "inventory" forms to cross reference. Theft took place and they now want to go to arbitration. Disgusting company... beware!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

THE FIRST MOVE AND THE HORRORS. Some issues, cracked chair leg, Tiffany lamp base cracked, one lamp base Tiffany missing, remotes for TVs and one TV base stand missing. I asked for unpacking of the Allied packed boxes, for missing pieces. I think by then everyone just wanted to go home. The chandeliers were packed, when they were looking for other Allied boxes, one of the guys was walking all over boxes... And while they arrived intact, I am afraid to look. Chandelier boxes are crushed! I sent pictures, they took all TV boxes on truck... So I was unable to know which box contained items, no glass shelves for cabinets, boxes they packed with sterling silver items missing.

They tore the lids off sterling silver tea service to bubble wrap and pack, Mies van der Rohe chair, leather destroyed. I had zero deductible insurance. Took time - submitted claim. Their reply, "You used 8 months. How do we know you did not do after." I sent pictures 3 days after move showing damages. 25 dollars for a Tiffany lamp base. That's fair, right??? NEVER, NEVER USE ALLIED VAN LINES - my claims were denied. THEY ARE LIARS!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Consider yourself warned. Moved from Napa Valley to Salem, OR on 10/30/2018. Driver arrived on time. We had everything packed and in the driveway except for the larger pieces. Three staff took 12 hours to load a 2 bed, 2 bath mobile home. They fought verbally the entire day. The driver threatened to drive away and not complete the move. It was extremely uncomfortable and counter-productive. The truck they brought couldn't hold everything so a second, smaller truck arrived. The first truck and its driver departed and left two staff to fill the smaller truck. The original truck arrived in OR on the designated date and a terrific pair of guys unloaded. While they were unloading, Allied called and wanted our credit card number to pay the balance due. We gave it to them. We asked the driver when the second truck would arrive and he told us to "contact Allied for that information".

When we called Allied they told us it would be here the next day. Well... two weeks later we have no information on the second truck. Allied says it is impossible to tell us when we will receive our belongings and we have no idea where they are. After speaking no less than 6 times with managerial reps we have been told we would receive a $500 discount and we would be reimbursed up to $300 for items we need to purchase (they can't deliver my belongings - what makes me think they're going to reimburse me money???). My husband's clothes, coats, boots, pots, pans, pantry items, bedding, towels, vacuum cleaner, toaster, coffee maker and microwave oven are on that truck. I have disputed my credit card payment and will withhold payment until my items are received. This was the most horrible decision we have made and advise you emphatically to look elsewhere!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Loading day was Oct. 22. Delivery was a window from Oct. 25 to 30. My belongings arrived Oct. 30. Unloading a small one bedroom apartment took 11 hours. Yes, 11. Ten days later, I am still hoping they will find at least 5 boxes, including all my Christmas stuff, that were "lost" somewhere in the warehouse. They did find a broken table and an area rug that I have not yet received. Communication is ridiculous with this company between the warehouse in TN and the coordinator in another Southern state. Do not believe the brochure that claims "delivered with care" and dedication to "quality, caring service."

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Allied Van Lines is a dishonest company. Stay away. From the point they pick up your stuff their customer service will completely change, and they will stop caring about you. They are truly dishonest to the point that they edited the pick up for to say that a piece of furniture had a broken leg, even though my copy (with both signatures) clearly doesn't have the text that the furniture was damaged. They broke my TV stand and just wrote in "broken leg" on the form after the fact. When they finally dropped off our move two weeks late, they realized they "forgot" 5 boxes, 2 dresses, and 2 bicycles in our old state. It then took them another week to drop off the remaining items. Unbelievable. Beyond all of this, they damaged several pieces of furniture and didn't treat our boxes with any care. Stay away!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

If I could give more than 5 stars I would. My move started with a quote from David **. Very reasonable price on the lower side of what we expected. We was leaving the state of WV. On the day of the move, we had 3 great guys Wil, Jeremy and Jordan show up right on time with a call telling us they were on the way. They loaded, wrapped up, took apart furniture in a fast, efficient and very friendly manner the entire time. We were given a 5 day window for delivery, which was fine. But, to our pleasant surprise, we received a call from Diane ** from Allied that our delivery would be arriving on just day 2 after we arrived!

Day of delivery we (once again) had two fantastic guys show up. Chris and Ronny. Fast, friendly and extremely efficient and personable. My husband had recommended Allied from previous moves he had, but I was skeptical and worried and had to tell him how RIGHT he was for his choice of moving companies. Thank you Allied for such an easy move with zero stress. Mr. and Mrs. James **.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

The move started great, the 2 young men that came to load the truck, were so professional, helpful and kind. That’s where the good ended!! After they had all my things, my life, they texted to say that I needed to give $667 more!! They picked up on September 14. On September 17 she TEXTED “the driver was on his way to load and would not take it until I paid the additional money“... I reluctantly paid... 6 days later I called to find out where the truck was... My things were still in a warehouse Naples, Florida!!! Today’s date is October 6th and I STILL DO NOT have my things!!! I trusted them and they really let me down!!! Now I have to wait and hope that my “life” gets here all in one piece! I would NEVER use Allied again!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Never EVER do business with this company. Moved from Oklahoma to Ohio and I got a call Friday that my stuff would be here on Monday morning. I drove all day Sunday to get to my new home, and come Monday, they didn't show up. So I called them and they told me that my stuff would be here a week later. What utter **. Now I have to live here and start a new job with an absolutely empty apartment. Haven't gotten my stuff yet, but after reading these reviews, I expect a lot of it to be broken and uncompensated smh. An absolutely ** joke of a company.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Worst experience of my family's life. Allied employees were disrespectful, careless, and did not care about our things. We asked them to cover our staircase to avoid damage, and they refused, insisting that "they've done this before". The very first item they brought downstairs, they didn't tape the drawers shut, one flew open and fell over the banister, crashing on the floor below. Our staircase and that item were damaged.

They were completely disrespectful toward our home and privacy. They went into our kitchen and helped themselves to drinks, never asking for permission. They left our bathrooms a mess. It will take us days to clean up after them and have the house reasonably presentable for the new homeowners. When we told the movers that a certain piece of furniture came apart to be transported, they ignored us and insisted they couldn't move the piece, telling us "we should have sold it". We had to literally show them how to do their jobs, dismantle the item, and do the work ourselves. The truck came late and it took over 10 hours for them to do their job. They ignored our "FRAGILE" signs on our boxes and dumped them under heavy items. They banged into our walls and left dents. I can't help but feel insulted by this whole experience. NEVER work with this company.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We hired an Allied Van Lines moving company in San Antonio, Texas Berger Moving & Storage/San Antonio to move us to the east coast. The local San Antonio company who was moving us began moving other people's items into our home, until I noticed and said something to the driver. After a few months, I noticed we were missing a box spring to my son's full size mattress. I filed a claim and after two months they denied any sort of compensation and could not find my missing item... Poor business. Will never use again. Criminals.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

We hired Allied Van Lines for a move to a different state. Upon delivery it took all day to unload the truck so there was no time to go through each of the over 220 items and boxes immediately. When I did go through them I found some broken items and a missing item. When I put in the claim, they told me that they would cover nothing because I didn't note damage at unloading, and they didn't even consider the missing item. I will never use this company again, and would recommend avoiding them at all cost.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Hired an Allied company for interstate move. Bunk bed, ladder and table lost. Dishes broken, coffee table completely destroyed, bed irreparable, and more. I didn’t expect all damages to be reimbursed, but certainly expected the items never delivered to be reimbursed. Nothing was reimbursed. 30% broken, 0% reimbursed.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Horrible experience. I will never use these guys again and am turning others away from using them. They overcharged as well as broke and lost several treasured items. The insurance I paid to cover such losses and damage was never taken into consideration and I was not reimbursed for anything.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I will echo what other reviewers have said: Allied charges high prices, does not deliver in a timely manner, and their local representatives are not very professional. My move was relatively small, and they: a) picked it up late, b) held it in the origin warehouse until after their own delivery date estimate, c) delivered three weeks later and d) still managed to lose something. I've moved several times and I know how a moving inventory is properly done when a professional company does it. The one they did for my move was inexact and confusing. There are many other companies recognized nationwide. Please choose any of them instead of Allied.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

We had to move quickly to relocate for a job. They were the only company I could book in such a short time frame. They were 2 days late picking up. It took 2 MONTHS to get our stuff delivered. All of the boxes were damaged in one way or the other then they charged me an extra $1,000 for going over what THEY quoted me. The “manager” told me he’d just drop my stuff in my yard if I didn’t pay them. Absolute worst customer service. Stay away from these guys. They’re nothing but crooks and liars.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

The packers treated the ceramic sculpture items specifically designated as "High Value" with the same care as the Tupperware. They had been packed with multiple items in a box and simply wrapped in paper and stacked on top of each other like any normal box. Of the 7 boxes that had "high value" items, I received three with broken items. The customer service people have never acknowledged that anything was broken, even after receiving pictures of the breakage. They drag their feet and expect the customer to do all the research on replacement items then find ways to weasel out of paying for the damage. This shows a total lack of integrity or concern for the customer.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

They load in at the my origin state was horrible. They loaded my trash bag in with the rest of the stuff, and when I asked for them to remove it later on, they lied to me and said "I got it" multiple times via text. Later, I see at the destination it has not been removed, and the mold infestation (to no surprise) grew worse. In a previous review, I said the only pros was Matt, the manager, was responsive to my requests. LIARS. LIARS. LIARS. I rescind my comments about Matt, the primary manager, being one of the pros. He contacted me to see if there was something that could be done about the negative review, and once I became too insulting of his worker who lied to me, he rescinded both his apology and his offer to provide some money back (which I absolutely deserve some money back as I did not receive what was agreed upon). Once again, LIARS. LIARS. LIARS.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Coleman moving in Omaha sent 3 inexperienced kids to pack and load furniture laps, small appliances etc in June 2017. Crew chief said this was his first time. Total disorganized. Inventory was poorly written. Items left off (small microwave, 2 wheel dolly) went missing. The crew that delivered was equally as untrained. Glass shelves missing, broken laps, buffet had corner knocked off, scratches on tables, end tables, footstools, etc. Allied refuses to pay for damages as submitted. Pictures of damages were sent but Allied claims none received. Claim process very poor.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

Steer Clear! Consumer beware. We had an extremely poor experience with Allied Van Lines. The delivery of goods was late, the truck was unloaded into a warehouse, an independent agent was contracted to deliver our truck. We were told by the salesperson that the move would be handled by Allied and that they did not use independent agents. That was very deceitful. Customer service and our move coordinator both indicated that it was a very busy summer and that Allied had basically overbooked like an airline. Well similar to an airline, Allied does not adequately compensate people for hotels or items that have to be purchased due to the delay. Bottom line - Very pricey, poor customer service and an overall distressing experience.

Original review: July 18, 2018

A driver for this company was in a 53-foot fleet truck in the right lane at a stop light at an intersection in Culver City California and I pulled up next to the truck to make a left while the light was still red. After the first car ahead of me made its left, the Allied Van Lines truck driver turned from the right lane into the left turn lane and nearly hit my Toyota Prius. The driver then had the gall to pull up next to me and ask if I couldn't see his truck and needed glasses when he was in the wrong lane and nearly crashed into my car. This company has aggressive and incompetent drivers working for them, so beware of their huge jack-o-lantern-colored trucks on the road.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I moved last July. In the move there were items damaged, there were items missing, the only thing they unpacked were the lamps they packed. In order to do so, they walked over the boxes containing china, chandeliers, and damaged items. Trying to locate lamps. The laptops with sockets were broken, base completely cracked on Tiffany lamp, Mies van der Rohe leather destroyed, buttons missing, BBQ placed on side of leather sofa, box of sterling silver they packed missing, dining chairs damaged. Mover stated, the leather will go back into place on sofa which was damaged. I took and send over 100 photos on 20JULY2018, and reply was, "Wait until you are finished with all unpacking, you have 9 months."

I had FULL INSURANCE COVERAGE as well. I sent in claim just before the 9 month deadline. They declined nearly everything saying, "How do we know you did not do this after, you have been living with the furniture 9 months." I sent them the dates photos taken and email telling me to wait until the 9 months. They refused to do anything more, and to date the several items they admitted to having done, no reimbursement. DO NOT USE ALLIED VAN LINES. Still trying to escalate with Allied. There was over 20,000 in damage. They want to give me 2000.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I am currently at +32 days and still waiting for the delivery of all my household goods. The worst customer experience I have ever had. The claims system does not cover the costs that I have incurred from this delay in service.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Our experience started off right. We got a quote from a representative and were happy with his professionalism. The movers came in their window, were polite, and did a good job with packing. That’s where our good experience ended. Fast forward two weeks, we have no clue where our 100k+ and sentimental worldly belongings are. Our move coordinator keeps giving us the run around by saying, “I’ll find out and call you back.” Not once has she called us back. Today is the day they said our things would arrive. I took off work, we’ve been sleeping on an air mattress, and yet no call, no confirmation. We called and they said our things were sent via train because they ran out of trucks. That’s funny, because our coordinator said she knew the name of our driver and said he would call us.

I called Allied customer service this morning and the woman ended up hanging up on me when I was still talking. Every rep has been unapologetic, terse, and conveniently unaware of how to track our belongings or give us answers. Tomorrow is the last day you have to deliver our things before you start paying US. $14,000 is what we are paying for this move and honestly Amazon handles my shipment of toilet paper better than you handle someone’s entire life. It’s an absolute shame but people will continue to hire you because every moving company is incompetent and has no drive to be competitive or improve.

Original review: June 22, 2018

We had a "Project Manager" come out and give us a quote. All was well until the actual moving day. The lead mover performed a walkthrough with me and then went on to say "we can't fit everything into my truck". It was not until about 4 m on moving day another truck was found. However, we did not know that the second shipment would not show up on the same day as the first. The first shipment arrived on June 6 which was in the contracted window of delivery for June 6 - 13.

After multiple emails and phone calls with the contracted company, I did not receive a date until 2 days before delivery which will be exactly 11 days outside of the contracted delivery window. Even after emailing the CEO and President of Moving Services of Sirva (company that owns Allied), they refuse to provide any compensation on this breach of contract. This company needs to be stopped and put out of business after reading the other reviews on here. I saw a couple reviews regarding a class action lawsuit. I am in! Please contact me if anyone has started one.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Our move from Colorado to British Columbia was a nightmare from start to finish. Goods were carefully and painstakingly packed by us and contents of all boxes were clearly marked and fragile items clearly flagged, The loading supervisor simply wrote PBO for each carton on the inventory sheet. When questioned, he stated that he had experience with international moves and that using PBO was common practice. When we presented our copy of the inventory sheets to the Canadian Customs office, they made us fill out declaration forms stating exactly what was being shipped and providing a value for each item.

About two hours work that should not have been required had the movers done their job properly. Goods were not shipped on time causing unnecessary expenses for rental of two storage units at destination site, When items eventually were received at the destination site, several majors pieces of furniture were damaged. Three cartons of goods including our pots and pans were missing. Claims were filed for damaged and missing items. Repairs were authorized for the damaged furniture, but the damaged goods that had been packed by us were not replaced and our claim for missing items was denied as well. We have asked the company to reconsider our request but this has fallen on deaf ears, Poor service, poor after service support, poor us!

Original review: May 9, 2018

We recently moved from Joppa, MD (just north of Baltimore) to West Chicago, IL with Victory Van Corporation/Allied Van Lines. The packers missed drawers of items that were not packed and yet packed lots of items that should not have been packed (including new owner's mail & boxes new owner had stored that we had clearly labeled not to move). Even worse, the driver and loaders missed an entire section of the basement so roughly 10-12 boxes/bins of Christmas decorations, etc. were left behind. The driver was shown this area in the initial walkthrough but did not load it. The driver was supposed to inventory and sticker every item upon arrival but did not do so for most items until loading. Therefore this area was missed by driver and my wife in pre-departure walkthrough.

When made aware of this situation, Victory claimed that this was not their responsibility at all since we had missed it. To top it all, the driver arrived a day early and pushed us to allow the unloading since he had already hired help for that day even though the contract said the next day. Our contractors were still working on much of the house so most of our belongings had to be placed in the garage instead of the house, forcing us to move them later. Bottom line: mistakes happen in every move, but look for a company that will stand behind their commitments and their work. Victory Van Corporation, and apparently Allied do not.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I know moving is terrible. I know they don't arrive on time. These movers, Allied Van Lines, hire sexist management who treat their workers AND customers horribly. I heard my drivers getting yelled at by their manager TWICE, without the phone even being on speaker, to get me to sign a BLANK contract. Blank, I'm assuming, so the manager could fill out whatever he wanted and make me pay who knows what! The driver gave me a courtesy call the day before he was coming to give me the time frame he'd come by for, so I had his number. We spoke a couple of times before he arrived as the time kept getting pushed back due to his other jobs. When the movers got to my place, they had not weighed their payload. I was told by my contracting company they would have weighed it beforehand.

So I called the manager at Allied Van Lines. He blatantly lied to me claiming the driver hadn't been on any other jobs that day and that we should use the weight of the truck from the day before. He told me I was mistaken that the driver had been doing other jobs that day. Basically, he wanted me to pay for the weight of my total plus two other people's totals! AND he wanted me to sign a blank contract! He told me to calm down and used girly pet names for me like I'm a child. I found him to be VERY condescending, and I wasn't even yelling at this pig. He then claimed that my 1 bedroom apartment would be cheaper to do by volume and not by weight. My contracting company stated my job was to be done by WEIGHT and not by volume as volume is much, much more expensive.

The manager lied to me again, stating that going by volume is cheaper. I did the math according to our contract, volume would have been 300-500$ more. This man, ASAF is his name by the way, should be fired for being a patronizing, abusive con man. I'll update if they actually come and pick my stuff up and complete my order. I'm so glad I have a 3rd party contracting company to help me get this swindler to actually do his job. I really hated being treated like an idiot because I'm female. It's really disgusting, what year is this? No man would've been called "sweetie". I'll tell you that much!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I only give them one star because they answered the telephone. They gave me a quote of approximately $3400.00. My husband and I packed up ourselves except big ticket items. The quote started going up and up and up the closer we got to the moving date. They never, ever sent anyone out to assess the items I was moving. I sold a 2500 square foot home that I had lived in for 20 years! A non-English speaking person arrived with 2 old men. They arrived in a 24/26 foot Penske truck and told me he could only load 1/2 his truck with our things because he had another customer waiting. He was 5 hours late arriving. Then the price jumped to $13,000.00 and probably would be delivered within the "next 30 days"!!! I had less than24 hours to vacate the property. I sold my home.

The men left for lunch. He called his office and said we left him alone at our home for hours and we did not come back. Said we went for cigarettes! We don't smoke and who would leave strangers with a moving truck inside their packed up home? Get real! To add insult to insult, he tried to tell us it was even more money for them to walk up the steps and more money for them to pack up the big screen tv! He was sooo fired. We rented a U-Haul truck, a driver and left. I have read so many complaints about this company. Does anyone want to start a class action lawsuit? I'm game! Seriously. They need to be stopped, put out of business, fined to say the least. We are out of $5000.00 when all said and done, but that's okay. I have all my things. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A RIPOFF.

Original review: April 15, 2018

We received a quote from Allied prior to our move. We were told there was no reason to contact Allied if we needed to add more or remove any shipping items that it would be adjusted after pickup. We moved so much less because we sold many things that was unexpected from offers and we also packed 90% of what needed to be shipped that was on the original quote. When requesting a refund the response from Coleman was: "Any changes to the quote or pricing have to be done prior to the move taking place. Once everything is loaded and moved the price is locked. I am sorry Charlotte but there's really nothing we can do after the fact. Thank you,"

My reply was, "Wow really? We believe you said there was no need to let you know when we added or removed from the original quote. It would be adjusted after it was picked up and weighed. So if we added the rest of our furniture from the 2 rooms and the television we said we weren't taking we could have really got a deal! That just doesn't sound right." I never received any more communications from Allied. Not happy with Allied at all.

Original review: April 14, 2018

One month back we moved to Toronto from Atlanta we are still waiting for our stuff. The moving coordinator never picks up the call. They don't care what all problems we are facing without our things. We have a family with little children. We are very sad about their behavior and mismanagement. They should train their salespeople and coordinator to be responsive and not picking up calls makes the customer very angry.

Allied Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Allied is a trusted national and international moving company capable of offering you a variety of services throughout the course of your move. It was founded in 1928 and is one of the largest relocation and van line companies in the country.

• Capacity: Because they are such a large company, they have the capacity to handle moves of all sizes and to give you accurate price and timeline estimates.

• Experience: The Allied team has over 85 years of moving experience as relocation experts and has a vast array of satisfied clients.

• Corporate moving: The company offers both corporate relocation services and lump-sum relocation packages in order to help businesses get back into operational mode immediately.

• Customer service: It provides excellent customer service through call centers and multiple branch offices.

• Customized packages: Allied offers customized packages for people who are moving, depending on their individual needs.

• Best for: Corporations, households and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs