1.02/5
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

Last updated: April 17, 2018

293 Allied Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 17, 2018

I only give them one star because they answered the telephone. They gave me a quote of approximately $3400.00. My husband and I packed up ourselves except big ticket items. The quote started going up and up and up the closer we got to the moving date. They never, ever sent anyone out to assess the items I was moving. I sold a 2500 square foot home that I had lived in for 20 years! A non-English speaking person arrived with 2 old men. They arrived in a 24/26 foot Penske truck and told me he could only load 1/2 his truck with our things because he had another customer waiting. He was 5 hours late arriving. Then the price jumped to $13,000.00 and probably would be delivered within the "next 30 days"!!! I had less than24 hours to vacate the property. I sold my home.

The men left for lunch. He called his office and said we left him alone at our home for hours and we did not come back. Said we went for cigarettes! We don't smoke and who would leave strangers with a moving truck inside their packed up home? Get real! To add insult to insult, he tried to tell us it was even more money for them to walk up the steps and more money for them to pack up the big screen tv! He was sooo fired. We rented a U-Haul truck, a driver and left. I have read so many complaints about this company. Does anyone want to start a class action lawsuit? I'm game! Seriously. They need to be stopped, put out of business, fined to say the least. We are out of $5000.00 when all said and done, but that's okay. I have all my things. DON'T USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE A RIPOFF.

Original review: April 15, 2018

We received a quote from Allied prior to our move. We were told there was no reason to contact Allied if we needed to add more or remove any shipping items that it would be adjusted after pickup. We moved so much less because we sold many things that was unexpected from offers and we also packed 90% of what needed to be shipped that was on the original quote. When requesting a refund the response from Coleman was: "Any changes to the quote or pricing have to be done prior to the move taking place. Once everything is loaded and moved the price is locked. I am sorry Charlotte but there's really nothing we can do after the fact. Thank you,"

My reply was, "Wow really? We believe you said there was no need to let you know when we added or removed from the original quote. It would be adjusted after it was picked up and weighed. So if we added the rest of our furniture from the 2 rooms and the television we said we weren't taking we could have really got a deal! That just doesn't sound right." I never received any more communications from Allied. Not happy with Allied at all.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 14, 2018

One month back we moved to Toronto from Atlanta we are still waiting for our stuff. The moving coordinator never picks up the call. They don't care what all problems we are facing without our things. We have a family with little children. We are very sad about their behavior and mismanagement. They should train their salespeople and coordinator to be responsive and not picking up calls makes the customer very angry.

Original review: April 3, 2018

We discovered that 6 boxes and a garment bag were missing after our move from WV to Maine. I made a very detailed honest claim of items that never made it to Maine, as I had packed the boxes myself. After filing the claim, Allied Van Lines refuses to be accountable or reimburse us for the loss. They pack three households into one large moving van, and hire locals to help them unpack. It is impossible to keep track of 4-5 men hauling in boxes into several doors of the house. It's only until months later you discover the missing items. The tone of their rejection letter was basically calling us liars. They are the ones who are thieves and liars.

Original review: March 27, 2018

The move just won't end. Cannot begin to comprehend the experience we have had on this our fifth move with Allied Van Lines. Never had a problem - until now. First the agent overestimated the weight so that they could overcharge us. Their customer service representative even admitted the weight overcharge resulting in nearly $1000 of necessary overpayment to receive our belongings. Packing was a joke. The agent promised to be onsite during the packing and loading. Never saw him after signing the contract. Packing was precarious with minimal protection for our belongings even though my husband called them out on it during loading. Damage to the house we were moving out of - gouge on every stair of our staircase and the wall.

Belongings took a week longer to arrive than promised and they never called to let us know they were arriving. Several items damaged. Claims rep more interested in pointing out that our claim never had a correct address listed (but miraculously, the meager check for not even 1/3 of the claim did list our address correctly) rather than diffusing an irate customer by simply further investigating our claim. We are back to waiting for an investigation to our claim because the driver lied and stated that we damaged our own belongings. We have now provided time-stamped photos proving items came off the truck broken. Not holding our breath that this will be resolved to our satisfaction. Will never use Allied Van Lines again and will advise everyone we know and those we do not to never use them either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: March 24, 2018

We hired Allied to move us across the country. We paid for extra insurance as well. Not only did it take 2 weeks for our stuff to arrive, there was so much damage it was insurmountable. When we submitted our claim it took 4 months to even hear back from them. When we did they offered even less than we had paid for the additional insurance. It was a slap in the face! We are now in a battle to even get our things fixed or replaced. The employees in the claims department are rude, dismissive and act like you are wasting their time to get resolution. It has been the most heartbreaking and unbearable experience ever. They broke family heirlooms, irreplaceable memories and antiques. We even hired their packing team. Just please listen to me. DON'T HIRE THEM!

Original review: March 22, 2018

I hired this company to pack my items, have the items stored, then delivered to a new home. Can’t even tell you how many furniture pieces arrived broken or destroyed. The worst was vintage camera lenses that were stolen. The company never called me back despite multiple calls and finally responded to an email but only stated it was not their problem. Also a new soundbar system was also stolen. I also had a new mattress that arrived as though they had unpacked it, dragged it through dirt. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE THIEVES and are completely reckless with your belongings. I am prior active duty and went through several moves with the same furniture and items through 5 moves with no problems. Their customer service was shamelessly unresponsive about the missing items or the destroyed items.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Shady company, use someone else, 0 stars out of 5, where do I begin? Packing took 4 days and could have only taken 3. Overheard movers saying to slow down the packing because they would finish too quickly. They were milking the clock until they had the clock out time they wanted, on their time. I’m sorry, but I thought I was the customer. Multiple furniture items were damaged and scraped including a ripped off chunk of wood on the bottom of one of my dressers. A massive scrape on my entertainment cabinet. Two massive deep scrapes and damaged wood corners of my pingpong table. My husband’s desk had a broken piece of wood that is split in half near the bottom.

Also, my Dyson Vacuum that costs around $800 was completely broken. And a bunch of other little nicks on various other pieces of furniture. Seemed like the movers didn’t take careful care of bigger furniture items. The packers themselves were relatively nice other than they came to work completely trashed from the night before. One man in particular looked like he hasn’t slept in days and was clearly evident he was doing cocaine the night before and most likely the morning of. Another one was still drunk from the night before drinking 2 fifths as one of the movers explained to me.

So if you want functioning alcoholics and cocaine-using degenerates handling your belongings, go ahead. Just very unprofessional. I can see why I had so many careless scrapes on my furniture and walls from boxes and furniture pieces scraping the walls. Not to mention the hardwood floors being scraped to all hell because they didn’t lay down the proper floor protection, and yet alone walk on it.

Also had an item stolen and they deny they stole it. I am a medical marijuana user and had a bong pipe out. One of the packers named Eric **, claimed he could pack it up for me so I wouldn’t have to take it in my car. So I thought, hey one less item to pack in my car! His words exactly “Oh I’ll make sure it’s packed up real nicely for you” with a smug look on his face. I was called downstairs from another packer to check on an item. When I came back upstairs, the item (bong) was gone so I just assumed he took care of it and packed it (but he really just stole it for himself and probably put it in his car while I was downstairs).

Fast forward to when I unpacked everything, that particular item was nowhere to be found. I emailed Allied to report the several damaged items and my missing pipe. They emailed me back saying they have no idea where the bong is and then proceeded to explain that they’re not allowed to pack paraphernalia on the truck and that it was my responsibility to have packed it. So why didn’t they tell me this in the first place? First of all that’s basically an excuse to just steal that item. It's 2018, that pipe can be said to be of tobacco use and you can still move it. I’m not stupid. So from what I take it, is that pipe never made it on the truck and was just basically stolen from the guy that packed it for me.

Now onto the damaged items. I was never asked what package of insurance I wanted for my furniture in the instance that if they were damaged how I would be reimbursed. So when I sent in the pictures of all my damaged furniture and belongings, I was sent back that I would be compensated by the weight of the items and not the actual value of said items. So for my $800 Dyson vacuum they said it was 35lbs and that I would only get $21 for it to be fixed… I’m sorry but that is not how it works. That is completely undermining the value of the product that should have never been broken in the first place if it was properly taken care of. And the response was that the basic packaged that I picked and it’s based on weight of the item and not the value.

So I basically only get $400 back when the damages were around $1,500+. Just very poor customer service. I was never given the option of what package to pick for damages. So moral of the story, if you like to be taken care of, pay more money and go with another company that has competent movers that are willing to actually take care of you. I’ll never use this company again as it was a nightmare and the simple fact that if they’re willing to steal an item and not acknowledge it, then what else did they steal that I don’t know about. The half owner of the company doesn’t even care what just happened to me. If the owner doesn’t even care, that is all I need to know why I received the incompetent care that I did. I just don’t want other people to have to go through what I have in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. ALLIED IS RESTING ON PAST LAURELS. Things arrive broken including a 5000 dining room table and over 3000 dollars in art. In addition many items arrived scratched and it took them 2 moves...which occurred 2 months apart. Calling customer service was worthless in resolving issues. The driver was incredible rude and actually told me he expected a tip. The tip I gave him was to get some manners and learn how to do his job. He was rude and awful. This was the worst moving experience of my life, bar none and I moved this furniture 5 times. They richly deserve all the horrible ratings they get.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I hired Allied to move my belongings... BIG MISTAKE! They 2 weeks early and took luggage I had packed to fly to KY to purchase a new home. Nevertheless, couldn't buy the home without clothing to go there and luggage, so had to have my belongings returned and OMG, already suffering from acute depression. What they put me through put me in the hospital. What did come back many of my family heirlooms were destroyed and cannot be replaced, along with a lot of my belongings didn't even come back. It is obvious to me they have thieves working for them because you don't lose sets of items like 2 antique chairs, 2 gold floor vases, a set of brand new luggage never opened and the list goes on and on. They did not put the items they took apart back together but left them all over my house to dodge and all the pieces to a lot of these things are nowhere to be found.

The person JENNY ** who represents taking care of these problems is a joke. She sent me a check for $198.00 and stated that the 12 foot extendable ladder was dismissed (really) it's not here replacement is $200.00, the child's rocker, 36 yrs old I hung on to to pass to my daughter's children is ruined and she said that is dismissed. That it was already like that - REALLY- that's why I paid to move it and store it, I DON'T THINK SO! Along with the so many other problems I still have yet to finish opening up all the returned boxes because every time I do there are broken items I can't replace and it depresses me too much for me to handle. This is just the tip of the iceberg for me. My list of complaints I could write all day. I will come back to add order number and images and receipt. It will blow you away.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Used Allied when we moved cross country 4 yrs ago and was very happy so when we hired them again thru Bailey’s in SLC, we expected the same, especially when they were more expensive than others we interviewed. The movers were very slow and did not communicate well with each other. The next day when we were cleaning the house after truck was loaded, we discovered a huge hike and crack in one of the walls which someone put a tape over - as if we wouldn't notice!!! Obviously accidents happen, but to not say anything, then try & cover up is not acceptable. We were then asked to print and file a claim - in the middle of a move trying to find a printer, etc. Plus the new owners had to deal with this as they moved in. Then, as our furniture arrived in our new home, things were broken or chipped. What a nightmare!!! No one from Baileys bothered to even follow up after the move - wish we withheld payment. So disgusted.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

We have a 20 year old daughter with Prader-Willi Syndrome, so we knew we had to plan our move to go as smoothly as possible (due to her anxieties). For this reason we gave our Allied our belongings three weeks before the desired delivery date (Move - September 26 from BC, Canada, to Chester, NS, Canada October 17th). Brian **, Allied's Sales Manager, assured us there would be NO PROBLEM meeting our required dates! Unfortunately only 1/2 of our household items arrived October 17th - the rest were still in BC! We had no living room furniture, no bath towels, no kitchen supplies (plates, utensils, pans etc.). Allied assured us they would expedite our belongings in BC - 10 DAYS later (and only after we had to pay in full or they wouldn't unload the truck) the rest of our belongings arrived.

Although Brian ** assured us he could coordinate our move across Canada and answer any questions along the way, he refused to answer any of our calls during the move. Our tv unit, couch, antique sideboard, and chair were broken. The top of my husband's desk is missing and the hardware for his chair is also missing (although the chair left our condo in one piece). Three boxes were (still are) missing, and many had holes in them. We are currently in the claim process; however everything had to be initiated by us - lots of calls and emails. No rush on Allied's part since they had already been paid!!

Word of caution... We filled out our claim online and it said a copy would automatically go to our email. It never did! Please take pictures of your claim (online) BEFORE you hit send. It is always important to have a copy of what you submitted. Although we were assured Allied is endorsed with the BBB, we were informed that Allied refused to answer our complaint, and since they are not affiliated with the BBB there was nothing the BBB could do. We also filed a complaint with CAM. They did respond; however it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I used Allied for my move from Montréal to Toronto and this is the worst decision of my life. In the beginning I was very careful to quote specifically what I was moving and even tried to weight or research the weight of my items first so I would have the most accurate quote without surprises in the end. The agent (Michael) was nice to me and wrote every step of the way. At that point I was happy of the service provided. Fast forward moving day, the movers came almost 2 hours late and came with a sheet/form with a minimum amount established already for 4,850 lbs (we quoted 2,000 lbs). I’ve called the company, talked to Michael and after arguing for half an hour and the intervention of his supervisor, they dropped the minimum to 4,500 lbs. This was more than the doubles of what I’ve budgeted but I couldn’t do anything because they were already there and the move was already scheduled.

This was Wednesday September 15th, 2017 and I was supposed to receive the stuff the Saturday 16th after 10 when I booked the elevator. I talked to them several times in Friday because they wanted me to guarantee that I had the money and they called and called until I confirmed the draft from the bank. Every time that they called I was clear about the truck being here after 10 because in the building they didn’t allow movers before that time. Surprise, surprise on Saturday they showed up at 9:15 am and wanted me to charge me for the 45 minutes wait, which I didn’t accept because I told them several times. After 10 they moved everything up to the apartment but again I was furious when discovered a lot of my belongings broken and even missing.

It was like it was handled in a garbage truck. It was awful. All dishes, cups, glasses, everything broken. A chest of drawers completely destroyed. My baby’s swing was garbage, the headboard of my bed frame missing with all the screws, everything filthy, it was a nightmare! I complained and they treated me like trash. They told me to filled out the form for the claim and that it would take from 4 to 6 weeks to have the reimbursement. It’s week number 8 and I haven’t heard from them. I am seriously considering of suing. I gave one star but should have given nothing. Tried to find in the “invoice” that I have over here the order number but it has nothing.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

We contracted with Compass/Allied to move us from Denver to Tucson. Move coordinator didn't return phone calls, we had to keep calling back. We requested either a Friday or Saturday pick up and were informed that for a pick up to happen on a Saturday we would be charged overtime. The driver informed us a Saturday pick up did not incur overtime charges. We informed her that the expected delivery date was moved back one day and she said, via email, that was fine. However she said we would have to pay an additional $200 for driver wait time. This was acceptable to us. The driver arrived one day early and the move coordinator called us and said the driver now wanted $500 to delay delivery by one day. I asked what alternatives there were and she said the driver would drop our goods off at a local storage facility and it would cost over $1,000. We had no choice but to pay the full $500. That's just the beginning...

We requested a refund of $300 and were refused. We contacted Allied and they washed their hands because we signed an approval for the $500 requested by the driver. If the driver would have picked up the personal goods on Saturday we would have only had to pay $200.00 for wait time. We were caught between a rock and a hard place. The local moving company's move coordinator's credibility was zero. Because of this we were required to pay an additional $300. Additionally the Allied driver could not load all our belongings and it took 2 weeks for us to receive the balance of our personal goods. No compensation was offered and our request for compensation was refused.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

On July 18th we contracted with United Van Lines to move us from Florida to Ontario Canada. We knew we were in trouble when the packing crew arrived. They simply mixed things up and stuffed them into any box available. They ignored us when we tried to get them to put kitchen items with kitchen items etc. They ignored us. Two weeks later the items arrived in a different truck. They arrived with the driver and two helpers, one who quit halfway through. They refused to moved one item off the driveway because it was too heavy.

A couple of days later my two sons placed the item where it was supposed to go. The driver stated his instructions were to leave it in the driveway. They arrived without a shipping manifest so we could check off the boxes as they were unloaded and we had nothing to sign. When we finally had unpacked over the next few days there were items broken and missing. We only claimed the missing items which amounted to just about $400. They refused the claim stating the boxes must have arrived and therefore we were not missing anything. I had to go through at least six of their employees and it took two months to get the refusal notice. You will notice on Allied's web page under reviews there are three 5 star ones. However there is not anyway to lodge a negative complaint.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

Called and was recommend co in New London Ct. I only had 6 pieces of furniture as the rest were boxes. Each piece was scratched and one piece had large gash in the front. Not repairable when it arrived. The movers that picked up my pieces did not cover anything, did not dismantle anything, dropped boxes and spent a 1/2 hour of my time talking outside loudly arguing with a family member. They were several hours late and cared nothing for my items.

I would have thrown them out but I needed to get out of my home as it was sold and had no one to help us. I have moved 6 times over the years and this was the worst experience ever. The mover has the nerve to wait to see if I would give him a tip. Are you kidding me? You should not be moving anyone. Why you have this job is beyond me.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

My experience with Allied Moving. In case you are about to move and intend to hire Allied Moving, especially that branch in Knoxville, TN, please read this. They require the check from you first before they do anything. I presume they already know that you would not pay after their "service." Dropped my dress board, damaged. Disassembled the mirror from my dress board (which I had to pay extra for) and were not able to reassemble at delivery as they part of it. (Now can you imagine that?) A few cartons were wet and my cloth in their stinking, they probably stored it unsheltered somewhere in between. Light stand totally bent, can throw it away. Dirty stuff, white paint and some glue on many of boxes/furniture. So when they dropped the boxes the glue is then on that spot in your new house where they drop the box. Hopefully this helps to get that Knoxville office out of business soon.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!! THEY MISLABEL YOUR EXPENSIVE ITEMS AND THEY STEAL THEM!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

Company sales agent lied, didn't deliver as discussed, poor communication, broke and ruined furniture and then paid nearly peanuts for damage of expensive furniture and decor. Terrible all the way around! You should have zero stars.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

It is important to note this is not my first long-distance move, I have moved from Michigan to Oregon and back with another franchise mover and used their storage for three months, almost seamlessly. The packing of our home in Michigan went great, which is why they get two stars, and we were assured our goods would be carefully stored and returned in good order when we found a home in Maryland. The process of moving our goods out of storage was extremely challenging, we agreed to a five-day delivery spread but was asked to accept a sixth day, which we declined, we were told repeatedly that this was out of their control. The driver told us he needed more time because he took the longer route so he wouldn't have to pay tolls.

The movers were to bring our goods between 9 and 10 am but showed up at 1:30 pm. Then it was determined the truck could not make the turn on our street so my husband had to drive the truck driver to a rental facility to get a satellite truck because none of the crew had drivers licenses. When they asked me if the truck could make it to my home, I said yes but I'm not a truck driver and was wrong, I guess no one previewed the road on Google maps.

The crew did not finish unloading until 11 pm and it was chaotic and impossible to control the inventory list of what was coming in the door. Labeled boxes were not put where they were supposed to be (we had labeled the rooms according to the boxes and given the crew a tour prior to the unloading), boxes were visually crushed and the crew was tired, beginning a move at 3 pm was too late and potentially dangerous to the crew. Then, my husband had to drive the satellite truck back to the rental facility and return with the truck driver to do paperwork. Exhausting for everyone but to the crew's credit, they were extremely polite.

Mover packed items were damaged, which we are currently working through the claim process for resolution, and several items are missing... At least the ones we are remembering. When goods are stored for 13 months, it's easy to forget what you had until you have a need for it, so, there could be more things missing that I just haven't realized. The restoration people came today and apparently, I should be grateful that my claims are few because some people have a lot more. Considering how much I paid for the storage and transportation of my goods, I did not find this comforting. Also, when filing claims, I'm supposed to remember when I bought items and how much I paid for them, so if I undervalue in error, does that work against me? And, is it too much to ask to replace what was lost and fix what was broken or damaged?

On the positive side, an excellent repair was made on-site to a coffee table that literally looked like it was dragged on its end across cement, however, I'm still wondering when I'll be contacted about the replacement of my lost items, it's been a few weeks. A survey company, that is likely contracted by the movers called me a day prior to the delivery of goods and wanted to know how my move went, I had to tell the representative no less than five times that my delivery had not yet occurred. I understand this is probably a contracted company, but perhaps their communication needs improvement. So, still in the process of repairing or replacing or being told there's no coverage for that.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

Our experience with Allied started in Idaho and ended in Washington. Two storage units were packed. The first unit was done okay, but the second one (had become night time by then) was literally thrown into the van! Nothing from the first unit was damaged, however, much was broken, destroyed or marred from the second. Our claim was a mere $180!!! DO NOT RECOMMEND ALLIED!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

We moved from St. Louis to Louisiana. Our things were placed in "storage" for a year while we built a new home. We were told prior to the move that our things were to be stored in St. Louis, and they would build a crate to keep all of our things together. We toured the storage facility, and we were sure we would be placing our belongings with an excellent company (Allied/Federal).

Our belongings were delivered 3 weeks ago. About 10 % of our load was lost, another 4 boxes contain broken items many of which are not replaceable. Many of our tables, beds, and chairs were disassembled. There was to be a box labeled "parts". Those parts never arrived, so it has been a headache replacing nuts, bolts, and washers. We have one museum quality piece by Fredric Remington that was "crated". The marble base of the statue is now broken. Antique chairs broken… Antique chairs that have been passed down from one generation to the next. Now in disrepair. These folks never took care of our personal belongings. It seemed it was all about the money in hind sight. Don't do it. Don't trust these folks if you wish to see your property. In the past three weeks we have not been privy to any feedback, and not so much as a phone call.

Original review: July 30, 2017

My employer contracted with Berger Transport and Storage/Allied Moving and Storage to move our household goods. They subsequently lost and damaged over $7,000.00 worth of our property, then would not compensate us for our damages. We had to take them to court and could not get them to settle for a reasonable amount until a couple days before our court hearing. They used every excuse in the book to deny our claim. When it became obvious we were going to win the case in court they finally agreed to settle (2 days before the court hearing) for approximately $6,400.00. This took 10 months to get settled. They told us they write checks every day for this kind of thing.

They used the lowest life forms to pack our goods. There wasn't any packing at all in at least half of the boxes. Many items were just lost, who knows where they went. I lost all my military medals, guitar, tools, go pro camera, etc., etc. Apparently the moving crew had a heyday somewhere with our stuff. NEVER USE ALLIED MOVERS OR BERGER MOVING AND STORAGE. Be careful because they have several shell companies and it is difficult to know just who you are using. We had to look this up in the Secretary of State corporate directory to find out who was who in order to sue them. If you use anybody to move your stuff, take pictures of everything, before and after the move, get insurance, and be prepared to take them to court to hold them responsible for their actions.

NEVER EVER USE ALLIED MOVING AND STORAGE OR BERGER MANAGEMENT SOLUTIONS OR BERGER MOVING AND STORAGE. They are creeps and do not care about your personal possessions. Take names, numbers, addresses, and social security numbers of everyone involved so you can sue them all later. Or maybe hunt them down and give them a special kind of justice. I am being kind here, I am really pissed off and really wish all of these people the worst kind of death possible, as soon as possible.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Spaeth (Allied Van Lines subsidiary) gave me an estimate for a move from Port Angeles, WA. to Providence, RI. to include packing and storage of 1 to 2 months, depending on closing date for new home. On May 11, half way through packing, the lead person said I had more stuff than what I told the original estimator. I had no way of proving otherwise, so had to accept extra cost.

Once in RI, the family member that was the reason for my move, died unexpectedly and I opted to move to Florida. I called Spaeth in May to advise of change of destination. On or about June 15 I called Spaeth with my new address and requested delivery of July 1. The 1st week of July I called to inquire about my shipment and was told it left the warehouse on June 30, and to expect del. July 14 or earlier. July 10 I called Spaeth to check and was told, "So sorry, shipment left warehouse July 5 and new del date was July 22." On July 17 I called Spaeth to make sure of del and was told "So sorry, your furniture is still in the warehouse".

I was told it would leave the warehouse on July 19 and be delivered July 25. I called July 25 to ask what time of del. and was told del was now July 27. Today, July 26, I called to ask what time to expect delivery and was told, "We have no idea, it's out of our hands and with the Allied driver". He gave me the driver's cell phone. When I finally reached the driver, he said it might be Friday July 28. I still don't have my stuff, have no idea when I'll get my stuff and that horrible company couldn't care less.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Allied Van Lines moved some people down the street. When the truck left he ripped a 15 foot limb out of my 300yr old live oak and left it in the road blocking traffic. I had to get out in traffic to saw it up. It’s been over 2 weeks and nobody will contact me.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Needed to move from NJ to Florida and decided to use what we thought was a reputable company but not the case with Allied! A Salesman brought very nice brochure with pretty pictures of nice trucks that would be transporting our family treasures to our destination in Florida (salesman name Chris) without any worries. There are firearms involved so we were very particular about using who we thought to be trustworthy (Absolutely Not the case). Pickup day came and a strange looking shipping container showed up at our door with several workers and off our lifelong collection of memories went with promise of delivery in 7-10 days. It is day 12 and no one has called so we've spent the last two days on the phone with Transportation (Cathy) with word that they do not know where our truck is because it was shipped via third party because they were overbooked.

Two days of phone calls to corporate (Samantha & Joshalin) with messages left and no return calls. We finally spoke with a gentleman named Mark ** In operations and they think our belongings were shipped via Rail Road and that they are in some Rail Road yard in Florida. So here we sit waiting by the phone for another day after the agreed drop off date came and went without knowing where our belongings are or whether to call authorities to report firearms missing. It is a frightening experience so far to say the least when a person can buy a box of diapers on the internet and track its shipment but a household full of memories along with a handful of firearms on a tractor trailer can be misplaced and unaccounted for.

Original review: July 12, 2017

There are a number of reviews on this business, so I'll skip the broken furniture, delays, lies, intimidation and threats common throughout. Their customer service is some of the worst I've ever experienced. If you book with them and let them take possession of your belongings, you will regret it. They ignore complaints. They ignore requests for contact. They ignore demands for escalation and resolution. In short, they take your money and then do whatever they want, leaving their clients to swing in the wind. AVOID Allied Van Lines at all costs. Rent a truck. Carry your sofa across the country on your back. Or just leave it behind. You'll be happier when everything is finished.

We suffered an "Oh, we can't get there the day we said we would so you have to burn through your vacation waiting for us to get around to delivering... and buy an air mattress to sleep on." Email AFTER close of business on a Friday (Monday delivery scheduled). We suffered missing furniture with a "not our problem, you signed the form" response followed by months of ignored emails. Move it yourself. Any damage to furniture or bodies will be better than you'd receive from an Allied company.

Original review: July 3, 2017

We contacted Allied Van Lines to request an estimate for our move from Seattle to Athens, AL. The estimator, STEVE **, was courteous and professional. He gave us a bid that was in line with the bids received from other movers. From our research, Allied Van Lines seemed to be a reputable company with generally good reviews so we chose Allied. Everything we signed was an Allied Van Lines document.

When the packing date arrived, the driver, KENT **, and his crew were courteous & professional. We had made arrangements with an auto transport company to ship one of our vehicles. The day after the packing and loading were complete, & before our vehicle had been picked up by the transport company, Kent contacted us stating that the cost estimate had been high; that he could put our vehicle on the van for the original quoted price. That sounded great! No more expense & the vehicle would arrive along with our belongings. We cancelled our arrangement with the auto transport company & drove our vehicle to the location of our van. We left Seattle happy & confident that things would go well. We even highly recommended Allied to close friends of ours who were moving to Las Vegas and praised KENT ** by name.

Two days after leaving Seattle and across the Rocky Mountains, we received a call from a rep of the moving company, ALONDRA **, stating that our vehicle couldn't be transported for the quoted price; that there would be a charge of $1,000 in addition to the $15,000+ we were already paying. We said that was not acceptable; that they must abide by our agreement. They said that wasn't possible; that we should arrange to have the vehicle shipped by an auto transport company. We were hundreds of miles away, had cancelled our original arrangement for auto transport, & had no way to make new arrangements. After arguing back and forth for an entire day, they agreed to load our vehicle & transport it for no additional charge.

We arrived at our new home on June 13. We had been given a delivery date of June 15, but we received a call stating that the van wouldn't arrive until June 20; that they had picked up & delivered an additional load. The van had appeared almost full before our vehicle was loaded. I didn't know how there would have been enough room for another family's goods. We hadn't brought enough clothes to last until the 20th & our washer & dryer were on the van.

When the van arrived, the same packers arrived to unload. Our new home is smaller than our previous home & has much less storage space. Many items had to be placed in the garage, which is much smaller than our previous garage. With 8 rooms of furniture & about 200 boxes, there was little room to walk in our new home, much less room to fully inspect every item delivered & no time or room to unpack 200 boxes & examine the contents. We were also constantly answering the crew's questions about where to put things. We immediately noticed deep gouges on 2 legs of our breakfast table. We pointed those out to KENT ** who later began to apply something to one of the gouges to conceal it. We stopped him, stating that we wanted it to be professionally repaired.

Two days later we left to attend a family reunion in Pittsburgh. We had had little time to inspect all our furniture or unpack boxes. When we returned home, we began to notice damage to several pieces of furniture. We took photographs of each item & filed a claim on ALLIED's claim form. Now, JUDY **, the rep we've been dealing with by phone & e-mail, is stating that the most serious damages are not transit related. I found out that she works for WESTERN, not for ALLIED. The furniture repairman sent to inspect our damages said that Judy was rude to him, was "hard-nosed" & that he was sure we wouldn't be having a problem if we were dealing with SERVA, Allied's claims area directly. He gave me the direct phone number for SERVA.

I contacted SERVA. Their rep, who was very courteous, who was not aware that WESTERN handles claims directly. She asked who I was dealing with. When I said named JUDY **, she said, "Oh, I see the problem." She said JUDY is always rude to her. SERVA can't get involved now that WESTERN has started the claim process. WESTERN's President, PATRICK DiGUILO, won’t return my calls. We're now starting the arbitration process. If we prevail WESTERN will have to pay costs of over $600 in addition to our damage claim. I'm sure they could afford a few hundred extra dollars to repair everything in addition to what they've offered. Why go thru this hassle?

Allied Claims (Serva) was very courteous, but they can't get involved since Western Van & Storage is handling the claim itself. Allied was not even aware that Western settles its own claims. DO NOT EVER USE WESTERN VAN & STORAGE OF KENT, WA!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

They were 4 days late picking up our stuff, inconsistent with timing (change pickup times 5 times before showing up late), 6 days late delivering our stuff, and they did not even unpack the stuff we paid them to unpack. They just left it all in one room, boxed completely just thrown somewhere. Also, we paid them the initial amount agreed on, and they took our stuff onto the truck and threatened to keep our stuff and take it with them if we didn't pay them an additional 11,000 dollars. We even provided pizzas and cold bottles of water and music for the workers, and they still took advantage of us like they did.

This was the worst service I have ever received and we plan on suing the company. I would not recommend this company to even my worst enemy. This is a scam company. Not to mention the movers threw around our fragile boxes like they were nothing even though they were CLEARLY LABELED FRAGILE! The boxes they brought in, that had been tapped and nicely sealed before we put them on the truck, had been rummaged through and untapped and ripped. This company is a joke.

Original review: June 17, 2017

After reading many of the negative reviews and having had a similar experience, there isn't much more I can add. The truck driver had not been informed that a shuttle truck would be needed since the semi was too large to get to my residence. Because of the delay the loading was not completed until midnight. Several items were lost and the claim for loss was denied because I had signed the inventory sheets. It was just a terrible and costly experience. DO NOT UTILIZE THIS MOVING COMPANY!!!

Allied Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Allied is a trusted national and international moving company capable of offering you a variety of services throughout the course of your move. It was founded in 1928 and is one of the largest relocation and van line companies in the country.

• Capacity: Because they are such a large company, they have the capacity to handle moves of all sizes and to give you accurate price and timeline estimates.

• Experience: The Allied team has over 85 years of moving experience as relocation experts and has a vast array of satisfied clients.

• Corporate moving: The company offers both corporate relocation services and lump-sum relocation packages in order to help businesses get back into operational mode immediately.

• Customer service: It provides excellent customer service through call centers and multiple branch offices.

• Customized packages: Allied offers customized packages for people who are moving, depending on their individual needs.

• Best for: Corporations, households and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs