Allied Van Lines

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Called and was recommend co in New London Ct. I only had 6 pieces of furniture as the rest were boxes. Each piece was scratched and one piece had large gash in the front. Not repairable when it arrived. The movers that picked up my pieces did not cover anything, did not dismantle anything, dropped boxes and spent a 1/2 hour of my time talking outside loudly arguing with a family member. They were several hours late and cared nothing for my items.

I would have thrown them out but I needed to get out of my home as it was sold and had no one to help us. I have moved 6 times over the years and this was the worst experience ever. The mover has the nerve to wait to see if I would give him a tip. Are you kidding me? You should not be moving anyone. Why you have this job is beyond me.

My experience with Allied Moving. In case you are about to move and intend to hire Allied Moving, especially that branch in Knoxville, TN, please read this. They require the check from you first before they do anything. I presume they already know that you would not pay after their "service." Dropped my dress board, damaged. Disassembled the mirror from my dress board (which I had to pay extra for) and were not able to reassemble at delivery as they part of it. (Now can you imagine that?) A few cartons were wet and my cloth in their stinking, they probably stored it unsheltered somewhere in between. Light stand totally bent, can throw it away. Dirty stuff, white paint and some glue on many of boxes/furniture. So when they dropped the boxes the glue is then on that spot in your new house where they drop the box. Hopefully this helps to get that Knoxville office out of business soon.

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY!!! THEY MISLABEL YOUR EXPENSIVE ITEMS AND THEY STEAL THEM!!!

Company sales agent lied, didn't deliver as discussed, poor communication, broke and ruined furniture and then paid nearly peanuts for damage of expensive furniture and decor. Terrible all the way around! You should have zero stars.

It is important to note this is not my first long-distance move, I have moved from Michigan to Oregon and back with another franchise mover and used their storage for three months, almost seamlessly. The packing of our home in Michigan went great, which is why they get two stars, and we were assured our goods would be carefully stored and returned in good order when we found a home in Maryland. The process of moving our goods out of storage was extremely challenging, we agreed to a five-day delivery spread but was asked to accept a sixth day, which we declined, we were told repeatedly that this was out of their control. The driver told us he needed more time because he took the longer route so he wouldn't have to pay tolls.

The movers were to bring our goods between 9 and 10 am but showed up at 1:30 pm. Then it was determined the truck could not make the turn on our street so my husband had to drive the truck driver to a rental facility to get a satellite truck because none of the crew had drivers licenses. When they asked me if the truck could make it to my home, I said yes but I'm not a truck driver and was wrong, I guess no one previewed the road on Google maps.

The crew did not finish unloading until 11 pm and it was chaotic and impossible to control the inventory list of what was coming in the door. Labeled boxes were not put where they were supposed to be (we had labeled the rooms according to the boxes and given the crew a tour prior to the unloading), boxes were visually crushed and the crew was tired, beginning a move at 3 pm was too late and potentially dangerous to the crew. Then, my husband had to drive the satellite truck back to the rental facility and return with the truck driver to do paperwork. Exhausting for everyone but to the crew's credit, they were extremely polite.

Mover packed items were damaged, which we are currently working through the claim process for resolution, and several items are missing... At least the ones we are remembering. When goods are stored for 13 months, it's easy to forget what you had until you have a need for it, so, there could be more things missing that I just haven't realized. The restoration people came today and apparently, I should be grateful that my claims are few because some people have a lot more. Considering how much I paid for the storage and transportation of my goods, I did not find this comforting. Also, when filing claims, I'm supposed to remember when I bought items and how much I paid for them, so if I undervalue in error, does that work against me? And, is it too much to ask to replace what was lost and fix what was broken or damaged?

On the positive side, an excellent repair was made on-site to a coffee table that literally looked like it was dragged on its end across cement, however, I'm still wondering when I'll be contacted about the replacement of my lost items, it's been a few weeks. A survey company, that is likely contracted by the movers called me a day prior to the delivery of goods and wanted to know how my move went, I had to tell the representative no less than five times that my delivery had not yet occurred. I understand this is probably a contracted company, but perhaps their communication needs improvement. So, still in the process of repairing or replacing or being told there's no coverage for that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Our experience with Allied started in Idaho and ended in Washington. Two storage units were packed. The first unit was done okay, but the second one (had become night time by then) was literally thrown into the van! Nothing from the first unit was damaged, however, much was broken, destroyed or marred from the second. Our claim was a mere $180!!! DO NOT RECOMMEND ALLIED!!!

We moved from St. Louis to Louisiana. Our things were placed in "storage" for a year while we built a new home. We were told prior to the move that our things were to be stored in St. Louis, and they would build a crate to keep all of our things together. We toured the storage facility, and we were sure we would be placing our belongings with an excellent company (Allied/Federal).

Our belongings were delivered 3 weeks ago. About 10 % of our load was lost, another 4 boxes contain broken items many of which are not replaceable. Many of our tables, beds, and chairs were disassembled. There was to be a box labeled "parts". Those parts never arrived, so it has been a headache replacing nuts, bolts, and washers. We have one museum quality piece by Fredric Remington that was "crated". The marble base of the statue is now broken. Antique chairs broken… Antique chairs that have been passed down from one generation to the next. Now in disrepair. These folks never took care of our personal belongings. It seemed it was all about the money in hind sight. Don't do it. Don't trust these folks if you wish to see your property. In the past three weeks we have not been privy to any feedback, and not so much as a phone call.

My employer contracted with Berger Transport and Storage/Allied Moving and Storage to move our household goods. They subsequently lost and damaged over $7,000.00 worth of our property, then would not compensate us for our damages. We had to take them to court and could not get them to settle for a reasonable amount until a couple days before our court hearing. They used every excuse in the book to deny our claim. When it became obvious we were going to win the case in court they finally agreed to settle (2 days before the court hearing) for approximately $6,400.00. This took 10 months to get settled. They told us they write checks every day for this kind of thing.

They used the lowest life forms to pack our goods. There wasn't any packing at all in at least half of the boxes. Many items were just lost, who knows where they went. I lost all my military medals, guitar, tools, go pro camera, etc., etc. Apparently the moving crew had a heyday somewhere with our stuff. NEVER USE ALLIED MOVERS OR BERGER MOVING AND STORAGE. Be careful because they have several shell companies and it is difficult to know just who you are using. We had to look this up in the Secretary of State corporate directory to find out who was who in order to sue them. If you use anybody to move your stuff, take pictures of everything, before and after the move, get insurance, and be prepared to take them to court to hold them responsible for their actions.

NEVER EVER USE ALLIED MOVING AND STORAGE OR BERGER MANAGEMENT SOLUTIONS OR BERGER MOVING AND STORAGE. They are creeps and do not care about your personal possessions. Take names, numbers, addresses, and social security numbers of everyone involved so you can sue them all later. Or maybe hunt them down and give them a special kind of justice. I am being kind here, I am really pissed off and really wish all of these people the worst kind of death possible, as soon as possible.

Spaeth (Allied Van Lines subsidiary) gave me an estimate for a move from Port Angeles, WA. to Providence, RI. to include packing and storage of 1 to 2 months, depending on closing date for new home. On May 11, half way through packing, the lead person said I had more stuff than what I told the original estimator. I had no way of proving otherwise, so had to accept extra cost.

Once in RI, the family member that was the reason for my move, died unexpectedly and I opted to move to Florida. I called Spaeth in May to advise of change of destination. On or about June 15 I called Spaeth with my new address and requested delivery of July 1. The 1st week of July I called to inquire about my shipment and was told it left the warehouse on June 30, and to expect del. July 14 or earlier. July 10 I called Spaeth to check and was told, "So sorry, shipment left warehouse July 5 and new del date was July 22." On July 17 I called Spaeth to make sure of del and was told "So sorry, your furniture is still in the warehouse".

I was told it would leave the warehouse on July 19 and be delivered July 25. I called July 25 to ask what time of del. and was told del was now July 27. Today, July 26, I called to ask what time to expect delivery and was told, "We have no idea, it's out of our hands and with the Allied driver". He gave me the driver's cell phone. When I finally reached the driver, he said it might be Friday July 28. I still don't have my stuff, have no idea when I'll get my stuff and that horrible company couldn't care less.

Allied Van Lines moved some people down the street. When the truck left he ripped a 15 foot limb out of my 300yr old live oak and left it in the road blocking traffic. I had to get out in traffic to saw it up. It’s been over 2 weeks and nobody will contact me.

Needed to move from NJ to Florida and decided to use what we thought was a reputable company but not the case with Allied! A Salesman brought very nice brochure with pretty pictures of nice trucks that would be transporting our family treasures to our destination in Florida (salesman name Chris) without any worries. There are firearms involved so we were very particular about using who we thought to be trustworthy (Absolutely Not the case). Pickup day came and a strange looking shipping container showed up at our door with several workers and off our lifelong collection of memories went with promise of delivery in 7-10 days. It is day 12 and no one has called so we've spent the last two days on the phone with Transportation (Cathy) with word that they do not know where our truck is because it was shipped via third party because they were overbooked.

Two days of phone calls to corporate (Samantha & Joshalin) with messages left and no return calls. We finally spoke with a gentleman named Mark ** In operations and they think our belongings were shipped via Rail Road and that they are in some Rail Road yard in Florida. So here we sit waiting by the phone for another day after the agreed drop off date came and went without knowing where our belongings are or whether to call authorities to report firearms missing. It is a frightening experience so far to say the least when a person can buy a box of diapers on the internet and track its shipment but a household full of memories along with a handful of firearms on a tractor trailer can be misplaced and unaccounted for.

There are a number of reviews on this business, so I'll skip the broken furniture, delays, lies, intimidation and threats common throughout. Their customer service is some of the worst I've ever experienced. If you book with them and let them take possession of your belongings, you will regret it. They ignore complaints. They ignore requests for contact. They ignore demands for escalation and resolution. In short, they take your money and then do whatever they want, leaving their clients to swing in the wind. AVOID Allied Van Lines at all costs. Rent a truck. Carry your sofa across the country on your back. Or just leave it behind. You'll be happier when everything is finished.

We suffered an "Oh, we can't get there the day we said we would so you have to burn through your vacation waiting for us to get around to delivering... and buy an air mattress to sleep on." Email AFTER close of business on a Friday (Monday delivery scheduled). We suffered missing furniture with a "not our problem, you signed the form" response followed by months of ignored emails. Move it yourself. Any damage to furniture or bodies will be better than you'd receive from an Allied company.

We contacted Allied Van Lines to request an estimate for our move from Seattle to Athens, AL. The estimator, STEVE **, was courteous and professional. He gave us a bid that was in line with the bids received from other movers. From our research, Allied Van Lines seemed to be a reputable company with generally good reviews so we chose Allied. Everything we signed was an Allied Van Lines document.

When the packing date arrived, the driver, KENT **, and his crew were courteous & professional. We had made arrangements with an auto transport company to ship one of our vehicles. The day after the packing and loading were complete, & before our vehicle had been picked up by the transport company, Kent contacted us stating that the cost estimate had been high; that he could put our vehicle on the van for the original quoted price. That sounded great! No more expense & the vehicle would arrive along with our belongings. We cancelled our arrangement with the auto transport company & drove our vehicle to the location of our van. We left Seattle happy & confident that things would go well. We even highly recommended Allied to close friends of ours who were moving to Las Vegas and praised KENT ** by name.

Two days after leaving Seattle and across the Rocky Mountains, we received a call from a rep of the moving company, ALONDRA **, stating that our vehicle couldn't be transported for the quoted price; that there would be a charge of $1,000 in addition to the $15,000+ we were already paying. We said that was not acceptable; that they must abide by our agreement. They said that wasn't possible; that we should arrange to have the vehicle shipped by an auto transport company. We were hundreds of miles away, had cancelled our original arrangement for auto transport, & had no way to make new arrangements. After arguing back and forth for an entire day, they agreed to load our vehicle & transport it for no additional charge.

We arrived at our new home on June 13. We had been given a delivery date of June 15, but we received a call stating that the van wouldn't arrive until June 20; that they had picked up & delivered an additional load. The van had appeared almost full before our vehicle was loaded. I didn't know how there would have been enough room for another family's goods. We hadn't brought enough clothes to last until the 20th & our washer & dryer were on the van.

When the van arrived, the same packers arrived to unload. Our new home is smaller than our previous home & has much less storage space. Many items had to be placed in the garage, which is much smaller than our previous garage. With 8 rooms of furniture & about 200 boxes, there was little room to walk in our new home, much less room to fully inspect every item delivered & no time or room to unpack 200 boxes & examine the contents. We were also constantly answering the crew's questions about where to put things. We immediately noticed deep gouges on 2 legs of our breakfast table. We pointed those out to KENT ** who later began to apply something to one of the gouges to conceal it. We stopped him, stating that we wanted it to be professionally repaired.

Two days later we left to attend a family reunion in Pittsburgh. We had had little time to inspect all our furniture or unpack boxes. When we returned home, we began to notice damage to several pieces of furniture. We took photographs of each item & filed a claim on ALLIED's claim form. Now, JUDY **, the rep we've been dealing with by phone & e-mail, is stating that the most serious damages are not transit related. I found out that she works for WESTERN, not for ALLIED. The furniture repairman sent to inspect our damages said that Judy was rude to him, was "hard-nosed" & that he was sure we wouldn't be having a problem if we were dealing with SERVA, Allied's claims area directly. He gave me the direct phone number for SERVA.

I contacted SERVA. Their rep, who was very courteous, who was not aware that WESTERN handles claims directly. She asked who I was dealing with. When I said named JUDY **, she said, "Oh, I see the problem." She said JUDY is always rude to her. SERVA can't get involved now that WESTERN has started the claim process. WESTERN's President, PATRICK DiGUILO, won’t return my calls. We're now starting the arbitration process. If we prevail WESTERN will have to pay costs of over $600 in addition to our damage claim. I'm sure they could afford a few hundred extra dollars to repair everything in addition to what they've offered. Why go thru this hassle?

Allied Claims (Serva) was very courteous, but they can't get involved since Western Van & Storage is handling the claim itself. Allied was not even aware that Western settles its own claims. DO NOT EVER USE WESTERN VAN & STORAGE OF KENT, WA!!!

They were 4 days late picking up our stuff, inconsistent with timing (change pickup times 5 times before showing up late), 6 days late delivering our stuff, and they did not even unpack the stuff we paid them to unpack. They just left it all in one room, boxed completely just thrown somewhere. Also, we paid them the initial amount agreed on, and they took our stuff onto the truck and threatened to keep our stuff and take it with them if we didn't pay them an additional 11,000 dollars. We even provided pizzas and cold bottles of water and music for the workers, and they still took advantage of us like they did.

This was the worst service I have ever received and we plan on suing the company. I would not recommend this company to even my worst enemy. This is a scam company. Not to mention the movers threw around our fragile boxes like they were nothing even though they were CLEARLY LABELED FRAGILE! The boxes they brought in, that had been tapped and nicely sealed before we put them on the truck, had been rummaged through and untapped and ripped. This company is a joke.

After reading many of the negative reviews and having had a similar experience, there isn't much more I can add. The truck driver had not been informed that a shuttle truck would be needed since the semi was too large to get to my residence. Because of the delay the loading was not completed until midnight. Several items were lost and the claim for loss was denied because I had signed the inventory sheets. It was just a terrible and costly experience. DO NOT UTILIZE THIS MOVING COMPANY!!!

This company recently moved furniture for my family from Dothan, AL to Media, PA. The "movers" drilled a holes through a table that has been in my family for decades. They thought it was funny. Because of this level of stupidity, it is no surprise that the customer service reps and someone who calls themselves management were rude and offered little compensation for the damage they did. If you want damaged goods, a company that does not accept responsibility for their mistakes, and to lose valuable memories, use this "company".

It has been 35 days since we moved from the Sacramento area to Lewiston, ID. 3800 pounds of our belongings remain back in Sacramento with no date for delivery. We have been lied to, ignored, and put off by Allied corporate and by the local company MEE Van and Storage in Rancho Cordova. I have important papers that we need, not here. And, many items that can not be replaced. I am contacting an attorney to see if we will finally get our stuff.

We used Allied Van Lines and our move was over 20,000.00. We have expensive items so I purchased FULL REPLACEMENT insurance. We had a brand new 50" TV that was not covered even though they packed it and they delivered it WITHOUT unpacking it but instead they leaned it against a wall. It was unpacked about two weeks later by professionals that do audio visual installations. After they hung it they discovered a line down the side of the TV and said it was most likely from the TV being leaned sideways against the wall. Allied said that because there was no damage to the outside of the box that they would not pay for it. I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND ALLIED OR USE THEM AGAIN! Why spend the money on insurance if they are going to deny it. They also damaged many other items but we were forced to accept repairs. Poor business!

My family and I were making a move from Kansas to Virginia, our first big move ever and were a bit oblivious to the complications that came with it. So we decided to trust the professionals with the details, right? Wrong, this company mishandled our boxes and lost over $5,000 worth of our priceless items. My husband received his first ever drum set in high school from his dad worth over $5,000 with adding to the set over the past years. This is a lot of money however, very priceless to my husband because of the history it holds. Allied also lost our vacuum cleaner, broke a lot of our dishes, busted open our punching bag and many other items were broke and lost.

After they delivered our goods, my husband signed the papers but then took one last walk around and noticed his drum set was missing! So he ran out to the truck before it left and asked the driver about it. The driver said "I don't have it, you'll have to take this up with claims, the only thing you can do now is submit a report". So we did just that. However, after two months of the company "searching" for our missing items, they came to the conclusion that our lost items never existed and sent us a check for $36 because of the broken boxing bag.

On Tuesday May the 9th I was delivering mail in the Valhalla Rd area of Cordele GA for 2 days. An Allied Van Lines truck was blocking the mailbox at the residence. A man was walking to the truck and I told him there were plenty of places to park that wouldn't block the box. He proceeded to tell me that "You probably need to ** need to walk anyway **". I would never recommend your van line to anyone, if that's the caliber of people you employ. I did not employ Allied they were working at a residence I was trying to deliver mail to.

WOW! Had a schedule move with Allied Van to move me from Hixson TN to Greeneville TN for 3 weeks. The move was schedule to be loaded on 5/10 to depart on 5/12. Just got a call today 5/2 from the representative of local group telling me all his truck drivers quit so he will have to cancel the move. This has put me and my family in a very bad situation. Allied should be sued for this type of service. And still thinking about it.

My 1st experience with Allied Movers in 1991 was positive. They moved us from Ohio to Georgia with very minimal damage and what was damaged they either paid for or had fixed very fast. In March of 2017 we moved from Georgia to Tennessee so I called them again. The agent drove down and generated a very detailed inventory list and came up with a quote on the spot. The surprise was with the insurance. To cover all the contents at a replacement value of $6.00 per pound with zero deductible was almost $800! As we were only allowed a maximum of $5000 for the move from my new employer, we had to take the default insurance of only $0.6/lb.

The movers arrived on the day they were supposed to with two (2) - 28 foot trucks. We had packed all of our belongings ourselves so they basically had to load the trucks. After they had left that afternoon, I spent a lot of time picking up wrappers and banana peels that were left in the yard from their lunch. I also discovered that when they left they had hit my driveway entrance pole that holds my gate, splitting a board, and never bothered to tell me.

The biggest surprise came when they unloaded 4 days later at our new house in Tennessee. We discovered a lot of damage to our washer and dryer, furniture, and various items that were carefully packed in boxes (see photos at the end). I found out that they had offloaded all our things from the 2 original trucks to a 18-wheeler which they drove to a city 20 miles from our house in TN, and then offloaded everything again to a U-Haul rental truck. So all our things were handled 3 times which increases the likelihood of damage. A lady called me from Allied - Coleman to do a survey and I attempted to tell her all that had happened. It was obvious her main objective was that I give her a number from 1 to 5 so she could complete her task and get off the phone.

I filed a claim first on the washer as it was the most expensive item that was severely damaged. This is her response: "At this time I have concluded my review of your claim and arranged for a check in the amount of $60.00 as settlement of your claim and the breakdown is as follows: Washing Machine Max Allowance 200 Lbs. x .60 = $120.00. TOTAL $120.00.

"Our review of your paperwork indicated that you selected 60 cents per pound valuation to cover your possessions during your move. Under this provision, our maximum liability it limited to 60 cents times the weight of your item, the cost of repair, the actual cash value, or the amount claimed, whichever is least. The guideline that is used for the weight of an item is the American Moving and Storage Association Table of Weights and Depreciation Guide. Our accounting department will issue the payment and it will be sent to you separately within 5 to 7 business days. We again regret that you found it necessary to file a claim and apologize for any inconvenience caused."

This was the worst moving experience I have ever had. In retrospect I should have rented my own truck and equipment and hired some of the local youth to help load and unload. I probably would have saved 1/2 the money and had very little if any damage to our things. I would never, ever use Allied Coleman again nor do I recommend them.

My fiance and I moved from Sacramento CA to Tacoma WA, and our things were stored at the moving facility for a time. All and all, it took about three weeks; and everything seemed okay at first, until they started unloading our things. Two computer monitors cracked screens, three book shelves were completely destroyed and had to be thrown away, several boxes had water damage and a box of cloths had mold growing, we had a bluray player, Kindle, Nintendo DS (with 16 games) and a $200 Lego set missing, they were just gone. And it was obvious someone had rummaged through our boxes because we sealed all boxes with tape but the person just folded the box tops in a criss-cross to close them.

When we made a complaint, I had the misfortune of talking to Tamara ** (the rudest and most disrespectful person at Colonial Van & Storage in Sacramento). She hung up on me in mid sentence in the middle of my complaint. When I called back, she answered the phone again and I demanded to talk to her supervisor (who was conveniently not in that day) and I was transferred to someone else and told I would have to pay them a $500 deductible for the things THEY broke and stole. WTH?!?! Then to add insult to injury, a month later, they "discovered" $600 in additional fees that we needed to pay. I told them to **-off and if they ever contacted me again, they would next hear from me through my lawyer. Anyone would be a certified moron to ever do business with Allied and Colonial Van & Storage in Sacramento.

Had a binding guaranteed price of $3091.06. They sent a truck that was too large for the street we lived on and charged an extra $391.94 to rent a smaller truck which they loaded and drove 2 blocks to where the large truck was parked and transferred our belongings from the small truck to the large truck. They should have sent the right sized truck to start with. They would not do the move unless I paid the extra money. My house closing was that afternoon, so I paid the ransom. Once the large truck was loaded, the actual move was done ok. The pickup & delivery were done in the time frame specified. The move was done by Allied agent Coleman Worldwide Moving in Orlando, FL.

I moved out of my home last April. Allied Van Lines (Callahan & Woodward, Michigan City, IN) was supposed to keep my furniture stored until I gave them the final location to ship. Each month they billed me and were paid for the storage. When the furniture was delivered 9 crates were missing and my glasses were broken when they were loading my stuff up to take to the warehouse. All my storage boxes were broken and no would call me back when I tried to find out where the rest of my stuff was. Finally after the holidays I got a callback and was told, "Too bad you should have called sooner." If you want your stuff stolen and broken go with Allied Van Lines. I would never use this company for anything. Worst experience I have ever had. They refuse to do anything.

Wrong custom forms! Because those people were unable to fill out and provide the good custom forms our moving left the US the day it was expected in Europe (they had 3 months to be ready). As a result the moving went directly in an French storage. Not only they were one month late but we had to pay the expenses for unloading, uploading, and storage of our goods. No apologies, nothing. They usually deal with companies and nobody cares or checks. They work like pigs.

We contracted Allied Van lines to move us from Washington state to Arizona in December of 2015. A good 80 % of our belongings were held in storage with Berger Transfer and Storage while we house hunted. When we did finally move in April 2016 to our current home we had Berger deliver the remaining of our household goods.

A brief summary: many of the item delivery were damaged and several items were missing. I contacted Berger transfer and storage who provide a very small sum to offset the damages that did not cover the repairs or replacement of the severely damaged items. One chest had missing legs, a part at the seams and broken in half, wash machine scratched with rust marks, the dryer was dented, scratched and front panel loose and unable to reattach, solid oak entertainment center was chipped in several places and the deep freezer was scratched and dented.

The missing items from our move were referred back to Allied movers where the real fun began. Missing item include original artwork, boxes of pans, and a dirt bike. After many phone calls, emails they denied responsibility citing no proof of missing items although these items were written on the household descriptive sheet. We elected to go to arbitration where the mediator only read our responses and did not look at the entire case, including the fact we paid extra for liability insurance. In short DO NOT USE ALLIED VAN LINES AND PLEASE ASK BBB REVOKE ITS ACCREDITATION of ALLIED VAN LINES and OF ALL ITS AGENTS NATIONWIDE.

I have read nearly 100 of the 248 complaints posted on this website and share in the frustration and anger with Allied Van Lines expressed by the reviewers. Allied Van Lines: THE CAREFUL MOVERS. Nothing could be further from the truth! In the summer of 2016 I hired Berger Transfer & Storage, agent for Allied Van Lines in Tampa, FL, for my move from Florida to the West Coast. I was lied to by their move consultant, Mark **, about the care (sic) the company would use in handling my household goods and was cheated out of more than $7,000 for the move.

My experience would be too long to post on this website. Suffice it to say that on pick-up day every piece of furniture was wrapped up in blankets, but on delivery day several pieces of furniture had no blankets, were covered in grease and black dust, some had been disassembled and some were dented or severely damaged. They also showed signs of ROUGH HANDLING. In particular, a very expensive, Canadian maple dresser was delivered with the left panel cracked right in the middle. My claim for repair and/or replacement was handled by the Corporate Claims Office in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Thirty days later their inspector came and took note of the items I had listed in my claim.

After 60 days I received a check from Allied Van Lines, a mere pittance which I have not accepted. The dresser was not included: Allied Van Lines would not pay for its repair, let alone its replacement, on the grounds of CLIMATIC CHANGE (sic). Subsequently, I filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau (BBB) in Clearwater, FL, which has jurisdiction over Berger Transfer & Storage of Tampa, FL. Again, 30 days later BBB forwarded Berger's response to me, "As an Accredited BBB member... we are sorry to read about... frustration with the claim settlement process... although our office was responsible for the initial handling ... we have not played a role regarding the claim... As a result, it would be more appropriate to file the complaint with BBB in Ft. Wayne."

Berger Transfer & Storage did not answer any questions about the way my household goods were handled, did not acknowledge any responsibility for the damage and chose instead to focus on the claim settlement process. Incidentally, BBB of Clearwater, FL, did nothing on my behalf. Short of bringing a class action suit against Allied Van Lines and its agents nationwide, which in my view would be impossible to win, as consumers we can put an end to this abuse, arrogance and contempt, and hit Allied Van Lines where it hurts the most: its business and its profits. The key words in Berger's response were, "ACCREDITED BBB MEMBER". If you are reading this review, then please join me in contacting BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU in your city and state and DEMANDING that BBB REVOKE ITS ACCREDITATION of ALLIED VAN LINES and OF ALL ITS AGENTS NATIONWIDE. Thank you.

Moved from Nevada to California utilizing Allied/Berman services. Packing up and loading went well and was on schedule. However, original request was for delivery on December 22nd, but Allied had a " two day" window requirement and driver said delivery had to be on the 21st because of other commitments. Our apartment was not going to be available until the 22nd and driver wanted to delivery ASAP. Arrangements were made to put our goods into storage and driver delivered on the 19th.

Unloading was done quickly and no time to cross check inventory which was to have included a 46 inch TV. When our apartment was available, arrangements had to be made for a local mover to move our belongings. At that time, it was found that the tv was missing. A call was made to Allied/Berman at the shipping point and asked if the TV might have been there. Their was response was to contact the claims office. Long story short, the tv was found to still be on the drivers truck two and half weeks after a search was initiated.

Allied wanted to deliver the tv, but I told them I would not accept until I had had an opportunity to check that it had not been damaged. Response was that driver would drop it off and leave and they didn't need a signature. First call notifying of delivery was a few hours before delivery was to be made at approximately 5:30 to 6 pm. Time was not convenient. Driver would be in the area the next day and would try again early in the evening and would call. Call was missed and driver took tv back to warehouse.

I finally told Allied to cx the claim since driver would simply drop it off and not be present for me to check the tv. If it didn't work, I would have to spend considerable time justifying my claim for reimbursement. Although I had taken out insurance, Allied claims representative indicated that there would have to be physical damage to the tv to collect under the insurance. They would have no responsibility if the tv had internal damages. In short, my move with Allied/Berman resulted in approximately $1000 in additional cost for early delivery storage, second mover when apartment became available and a replacement tv.

Don't use Allied Van Lines. We packed most everything very carefully and paid around $ 1,000.00 for zero deductible full insurance. At our new location Allied contracted with a local unprofessional company to move us in and smashed a number of things. We saw them handle our belongings like garbage once they found a working truck. They did have someone come and repair a few wood items but all the broken china, antiques, dishes, etc. that we packed were denied. It also took four attempts to even find who to file the claim with including: Allied Van Lines, Federal Companies, and Sirva who I assume owns these companies. Best to use another mover and discuss insurance for items you pack in detail.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Allied is a trusted national and international moving company capable of offering you a variety of services throughout the course of your move. It was founded in 1928 and is one of the largest relocation and van line companies in the country.

• Capacity: Because they are such a large company, they have the capacity to handle moves of all sizes and to give you accurate price and timeline estimates.
  • Experience: The Allied team has over 85 years of moving experience as relocation experts and has a vast array of satisfied clients.
  • Corporate moving: The company offers both corporate relocation services and lump-sum relocation packages in order to help businesses get back into operational mode immediately.
  • Customer service: It provides excellent customer service through call centers and multiple branch offices.
  • Customized packages: Allied offers customized packages for people who are moving, depending on their individual needs.
  • Best for Corporations, households and military families.

Compare Moving Companies