3.9/5 (892 ratings)

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines is a well-established moving company that helps households and businesses with local, long-distance and international relocations. Its services include full-service packing, short- and long-term storage, online shipment tracking and auto transport. It has been in business since 1928 and moves over 100,000 families each year.

Pros

• Online tracking
  • Wide availability
  • Easy quote process

Cons

• No 24/7 claims number
  • CHigh costs for local moves

Bottom Line

Allied Van Lines offers a range of services to make relocations go as smoothly as possible. Quotes are on the higher end, but the customizable full-service options and reliability might be worth it for some customers.

Top Allied Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had a great move from Chicago To Indy during COVID-19. Ernie and Terry were our primary contacts and they were great at keeping the communications up. They brought their own PP...

Verified

The guys were awesome... I was moving across the country and I had to pack the car along with enough room for three boys ages 3 month 2 years and 4... They came and packed up ever...

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines works with an extensive network of movers across the country to facilitate moves almost anywhere. For local or interstate moves, it’s best to request a quote for the most accurate pricing estimate — just provide some details about your move and contact information.

If you like the quote, an Allied relocation assistant will help you plan and schedule your move. At this point, you'll have the opportunity to request additional services, such as storage in transit. Keep in mind that Allied requires a virtual or in-home inspection before your moving date. Once all your belongings are loaded up, you can track your shipment online or through an app.

Allied Van Lines moving costs

Allied Van Lines’ costs can vary greatly depending on where you live, where you’re going and how much stuff you have.

According to recent reviews, long-distance moves with packing services start between $2,000 and $5,000. The average cost for a cross-country move is $3,500 (based on an average weight of 7,000 pounds and a traveling distance of 1,000 miles).

The total weight of your shipment is one of the biggest price factors, so the estimate could be inaccurate if you don’t account for heavy items. Allied Van Lines has additional charges for certain services, such as full-service packing and car and boat transport.

Allied Van Lines moving services

Some services with Allied Van Lines are included in the upfront estimated price, such as loading and shipment tracking. The company can provide boxes and supplies for do-it-yourself packing, or you can hire a team to do it all, usually at an hourly rate. Some customers opt for fragile-only packing instead of full-service packing to reduce costs.

In addition to local and long-distance household moving, packing and supplies, Allied offers the following services:

• Corporate relocation
  • Cross-country moving
  • Interstate moving
  • International moving
  • Storage for in-transit items and long-term storage
  • Furniture disassembly and reassembly
  • Auto and boat transport

Allied Van Lines FAQ

Is Allied Van Lines a broker?
Allied Van Lines is registered as both a broker and a carrier, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Does Allied Van Lines have insurance?
Yes, Allied Van Lines includes basic liability coverage with every move. Under this coverage, if the company loses or damages your belongings, it reimburses you 60 cents per pound per article. This means that if your mover damages your 30-pound TV that’s worth $1,000, you would receive only $18. You can also purchase full valuation coverage, which reimburses you the actual value of items, through Allied’s Extra Care Protection plan.
Can I track my move with Allied?
Yes, Allied Van Lines has an online tracking tool you can use to check the status of a move.
Can Allied Van Lines move my car?
Yes, Allied Van Lines can find you an auto transporter to move your vehicle.
Does Allied Van Lines offer packing services?
Yes, Allied Van Lines offers full-service packing, fragile-item-only packing and supplies for DIY packing.

Is Allied Van Lines a good moving company?

Overall, we think Allied Van Lines is a good choice for most moves. Prices can be a little high, but this isn’t necessarily a negative — we tend to be wary of unusually low prices that indicate a company might be cutting corners. It’s worth it for those willing to spend a little more to make sure their movers are seasoned professionals — especially when moving over long distances.

Allied Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

Last month, my sister-in-law and brother-in-law moved from Florida to New York, and, due to health issues, were unable to oversee the move themselves. They contracted with Allied/Coleman and their salesman, Jeffery **, was extremely supportive throughout the process. Since their plan was to move to their new home ahead of all of their belongings, they asked me to be with the packers on packing day, and with the movers on loading day. The packers, Billy and Desiree, arrived on time, looked over the house, and immediately got set up to begin working. Nothing in the entire house had been packed, so they had their work cut out for them. They both worked nonstop, were fast and efficient, and still took great care with all of the items they had to pack. They were awesome!

The next day Darryl, the driver, arrived early along with two loaders. Darryl was experienced, friendly, and knowledgeable, and quickly made me feel comfortable about the process. He and the loaders did a great job wrapping the furniture in protective wrap, and loading all the furniture and boxes onto the truck. When the job was complete, Darryl went through all of the paperwork with me and again, I felt comfortable and not the least bit rushed. The truck arrived at its destination on the agreed date and no items were damaged in the move. I would highly recommend Allied/Coleman and especially the employees we were fortunate enough to deal with: Jeffery, Billy, Desiree, and Darryl. Thank you all!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Both gentlemen came on time to pack my belongings. Team leader called to say that they would be delayed being stuck in traffic. Within 2 -1/2 hours they had packed up and loaded the truck for delivery to my residence in Fort Myers. Every item was packed with due care that it not break in transit. They arrived past 6pm, and unpacked all boxes and carted the empties away. All furniture items were unwrapped and placed in places within the residence per my instructions. Overall, I was thrilled to have Allied movers take care of this chore and will always call on them if I move again. My sincere thanks to Team Leader Emelio, and assistant Jim. They did an excellent job.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I selected Marathon Movers for two reasons-price and an agent with Allied, a national transportation company. Little did I know, their: customer service, communication, professionalism, and service were all top notch. The process was simple, smooth, and unencumbered. Even during the sales process, I felt reassured. I never had any doubt this would be a breeze. At every stage of the move, I was well informed. In fact, I was usually kept up to date by not only the office but the driver of my furnishings. My hats off to Kathy, Michelle, Chris and Peanut. Sorry, I can’t recall the three movers that pick up my belongings. They were GREAT too. By the way, not one item was broken during transportation. If I ever mover again, I will not hesitate to call Marathon Movers. I strongly recommend them to anyone on the move. Great value, great execution, great experience. Marathon Movers, they do moves the old fashion way-RIGHT!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We used a moving broker to save money who turned out to be fraudulent costing us thousands of dollars and never getting our belongings out of the City of Tacoma.. After the police released our belongings, we contacted Alondra and George of Western Van & Storage who are agents for Allied Van & Storage. They treated us with courtesy and extreme professionalism with Alondra staying in contact with updates along the way. Both the Western and Allied moving crews showed very high levels of high quality customer service in handling and delivering our household goods. I give very high marks in recommending both companies if one has a moving need...

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

We used this packing and moving service through Reebie and Allied Van Lines for another long distance move in 2010. Both times everything went very smoothly— from the estimate to the customer service support, to the packers and the truck driver. Reebie has been in business for many many years and so they knew to call the city of Chicago and get a parking permit for the large truck. The 2 packers took a full day to package everything in our 2400 SF town home, and then the 4 loaders, including the truck driver spent 5 hours loading everything. We are expecting to receive our stuff in California in ~1 week. I would use this company again. Highly recommend!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Still waiting for lost - now found couches to be shipped. One month and counting- no time frame and customer service has no authority to actually get results. So still waiting- Guess we’ll see if claims is any better. Claims filed Dec 17 - acknowledged on Dec 30. Some furniture repairs in process- no feedback on couches

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

Quoting process was smooth and easy to understand. Communication was great. Joey ** and his team were great to work with despite the snow on the loading and rain on the delivery. I would recommend Coleman Allied Van Lines to anyone making a move.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

Was not impressed with Carey of Knoxville. Chris never called me back when he was supposed to. Also he was supposed to send me the paperwork by US Mail because I didn’t have computer access at the time... that never happened either. I was finally given the paperwork after everything was loaded in the truck. I won’t be recommending Carey Movers in the future.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

50 years raising a family in one awesome community and home. Inexperienced, I received excellent advice on how to proceed, and eventual delivery, despite long delays. Excellent, compassionate, patient and very competent staff at Victory Van Corp were a true blessing in a very life changing experience.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

Disgusting the lack of expertise and accountability this company has. Damaged multiple items and after a $15,000 move they are refusing to pay $800 worth of damages that they caused. They claim that since I did not alert them before the driver drove off that they can't determine when the damage is done. I would like to know how moving a 4 bedroom 3500 square foot home with items in boxes that can not be inspected until all items are open, how it's possible to at the time of them unloading the truck to catch every item and its condition. Considering my claim is minimal it’s very egregious that Allied wouldn’t take responsibility for the mistakes and lack of care done by their employees with my items!

Allied Van Lines Company Information