Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now
  2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.39/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Allied Van Lines is a moving company offering local, long-distance, international, residential and corporate moves. It provides a wide array of moving services, including online tracking, full-service packing and full valuation coverage. Allied’s costs can be high, but customers enjoy the peace of mind they get from its long history of successful moves.

BOTTOM LINE

Allied Van Lines has performed around 250,000 moves in the past 15 years. Its services can be pricey, but the custom options and reliability outweigh that for some customers.

PROS

• Easy quote process
    • Online tracking
    • Wide range of moving services

CONS

• High costs

Top Allied Van Lines Reviews

Our packers in both Maryland and Washington were great. They were very professional and worked hard. All of our stuff was very well packed and we did not have any damage when we arrived in Washington. They even did a great job with our concert Grand Piano. Our driver, Santos, was fantastic.

We used Allied Movers when we moved from Jacksonville, FL to Georgia. Everyone was very professional and took very good care with all of our belongings. Would recommend them very highly. We have 2 handicapped people and they helped make the move easy. Overall it was a really good experience.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines is a moving company that offers local, long-distance and international moves. It has experience moving homes and businesses. Allied has an array of moving services that make your move as smooth as possible, including temporary storage, auto transport and full-service packing.

To receive a quote, call Allied directly or go to its website and use its quote tool. Be aware that Allied requires an in-home inspection before your move.

How much does Allied Van Lines cost?

Expect a one-bedroom local move with Allied to cost between $500 and $600. Moving the items of a medium-sized home locally with packing services typically costs between $1,750 and $2,250. A long-distance move for a larger home starts at $2,000 and averages about $5,000. In general, Allied Van Lines' costs are a bit higher than its competitors’, but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. We don’t recommend going with a company that has unusually low quotes — it’s better to choose movers you trust to do the job well.

You can get a rough estimate for your move with Allied Van Lines by requesting a quote online — just provide some details about your move and contact information. We've listed a few estimated costs for different services below.

Type of moveEstimated cost
      One-bedroom local move$500 - $600
      Medium-sized move with packing services$1,750 - $2,250
      Large, long-distance move$2,000 - $6,000

Allied Van Lines moving services

Some services with Allied Van Lines are free, such as loading, unloading, shipment tracking, basic liability coverage, moving checklists, and furniture disassembly and assembly.

When you move with Allied, you can also opt to pay more for additional moving services, including:

• Full-value coverage
      • Debris removal
      • Custom crates
      • Storage

Allied Van Lines FAQ

Does Allied Van Lines have insurance?
      Yes, Allied offers basic liability protection for free with every move. If the company loses or damages your belongings, it reimburses you $0.60 per pound. That means if 100 pounds of your items are lost, you get $60. You can also purchase full valuation coverage that reimburses you the value of everything lost.
      Can I track my move with Allied?
      Yes, Allied Van Lines has an online tracking tool you can use to check the status of a move.
      Can Allied Van Lines move my car?
      Yes, Allied Van Lines can find you an auto transporter to move your vehicle.
      Does Allied Van Lines offer packing services?
      Yes. With Allied Van Lines lets you choose full-service packing, fragile-item-only packing or DIY packing.

Is Allied Van Lines worth it?

Allied Van Lines is worth it for those willing to spend a little more to make sure their movers are seasoned professionals. It’s also a good choice for those looking for a large number of additional services. Its prices are a little high, but this isn’t necessarily a negative — we tend to be wary of unusually low prices that indicate a company might be cutting corners. Overall, Allied is a good choice for most moves.

Allied Van Lines Reviews

Original review: April 3, 2020

Allied Van Lines #AVL 33722, came to the neighborhood on April 3, 2020 with furniture for the new neighbors. 4 people, all smokers left cigarette butts in the road. No social distancing or no masks. I'd like to let the company know but not sure how to contact them. I can't believe the older people in the house would even let them in. They wandered around outside my home on the sidewalk and street. I would not let this type of person in my home.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Allied Van Lines charged me $6800 to move me and they damaged quite a few things and "lost" two pieces of stereo equipment. The two pieces of equipment were in my storage unit when United came to load and move me but were somehow mysteriously not put on the inventory list and didn't arrive at my new location. Thus, the quotations around "Lost". I called the claims department and was told I would receive a claim form via email. I never received the form.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2020

If I could give them 0 stars, I would. I hope by sharing this horrific experience that at least 1 other soul will be spared going through the stress, exhaustion, and depression that I've experienced by making one of the most costly mistakes of my life. I paid dearly for this interstate move. Both my husband and I are young professionals. When he was relocated for his job, we had to sell our house and move to another state. To save the inconvenience of taking time off work from our demanding jobs, we planned on using a significant portion of the proceeds from our house to pay for professional packers and movers. The price? It wasn't pretty, but we were spending more for convenience and timeliness. What we got was anything but...

Upon packing and moving items from our house, which was set to close two days after the movers came to place the items in the truck, Allied had significantly damaged two sections of my hardwood floor. Their movers also punched a hole in the ceiling. This all happened prior to my buyers coming through for their final walk-through. Unsurprisingly, the buyers were not happy. In addition, despite being on premises during the moving process, the movers never offered a final walk-through and just left. I looked around the house to find they had not moved all my items and had to call to have them return.

I promptly informed Allied of the damages done to the house, which jeopardized the sale of my house (a sale they knew about far in advance), and they proceeded to do nothing. No reliable communication. They didn't even pass along a claims form until days later. Trying to quickly remediate all the damage the movers did to the house prior to close was stressful, exhausting, and further ate into the proceeds we received, and this was just to keep the sale from falling through.

Next up, when we filed the claims form information, we didn't hear anything back for almost a week. And the only reason we heard anything back is because when we received our shipment, the majority of our items had been water damaged. Our couches were so damaged they left them. We only learned about the damage when the truck pulled up to our new, empty house and the movers told us about the damage.

No one knew how the water damage occurred, as it was not raining on the day of the move. No one knew what kind of water damaged the items or how long the items had been sitting, drenched, in the mystery water. We had a lot of pointing of fingers, but no real answers, and most of our earthly possessions were in a state of disrepair or were destroyed entirely. When we called Allied, they did not respond. It took us calling someone involved in their corporate move division to get the ball rolling, and only then did they respond with a lot of incompetence. Incompetence and pure negligence at every turn.

Almost a month out and we still have no mattresses to sleep on, nowhere to sit, no electronics that work, and most of our clothes and linens are in boxes that continue to mold in my new house. Their solution has been mostly to bring in assessors, which requires more time off work for either my husband or me to deal with, whose advice they promptly ignore.

I am so weary, depressed, and exhausted. Not to mention that the molding boxes, which I must keep so that these "assessors" may assess, trigger my allergies and cause coughing spells and a sore throat. I am unable to enjoy my new home. I am stressed beyond belief. This has been among the worst experiences of my life. I hope this story will spare you the trouble, sadness, stress, and inconvenience that my family has undergone in dealing with this company.

Original review: March 1, 2020

I hired Allied moving company to move me January 2020 from Texas to North Carolina. Overall the move went pretty well. I packed everything myself, having said that, once I got to my destination which was North Carolina there were several items broken. I purchased large floor size vases from Europe. Those were broken along with other items and allied sent me a letter after I submitted the claim stating that because they didn’t pack the items they were declining my claim so they paid for a couple of the items that were broken.

What I don’t understand is why would they pay for a couple of items that were broken of which they did not pack and not pay me for all of the items that were broken. That they did not pack...? Sounds like an excuse to not have to pay. They are trying to get over and it’s not right. They Should be held responsible for all the items broken and this is their way of getting out of having to pay the full amount... paying as less possible of course! I’ll never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

Prompt on appointment for quote, pick up time and delivery time! Very professional and courteous! All my furniture and goods were handled without any damage whatsoever. Would rehire them if I ever moved again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND ALLIED VAN LINES CANADA LTD FOR YOUR NEXT MOVE!!!! VERY DISSATISFIED AS THEY LOST SEVERAL OF MY ITEMS!!!! Allied Van Lines Canada recently moved my household items across the country. I was initially quoted $5,732.66 for this service. I was then presented with a total bill of $7,723.14 for the cost of the move. Several of my items went missing during the move. Most of these items were just purchased and could not be found and I was not compensated for the loss! At least one item was purchased for $900 several years earlier and can never be replaced! VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Contacted Allied Moving to arrange a move from one province to another. They sub-contracted to a local Winnipeg company - Winnipeg Moving & Storage. My actual bill (based on weight) increased by 60% from the original estimate. Either the salesperson was incompetent in his estimate or they gave me a low estimate and then once they had my deposit and belongings I had no choice but to pay the invoice. I also noticed my final bill had picked up weight of 32.2 but the drop off weight charges were 40. How did the weight of my belongings increase by 7.8 during transit or was I paying for someone else's stuff? Again I was overcharged. I would definitely not recommend them and give them a negative star rating.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Absolutely unreliable and unprofessional company. Dec 18th they arrived to move the contents of my home. They tell me that they aren’t going to move the entire contents of the house, even though the contract was for the full house. Took 3 hours of arguing with them before they realized they made a mistake and they should be moving the entire content, I’m troubled because I must leave the house by 4:30 pm as the house has been sold and I will be charged money if I do not vacate it by that time.

I’m late on leaving the house. The contract was scheduled for a delivery by no later than the 28th of December. When the truck doesn’t show on the 28th they change the contract for Delivery on the 30th. When the truck doesn’t show on the 30th they changed the contract for delivery on the 3rd. When the truck doesn’t’ show up on the 3rd (it’s broken down on the road). They change the contract on me again for delivery on the 5th. (They have had my cargo for 2.5 weeks at this point.) I get the delivery and a few things are damage and the driver tells me that there is no proof that it was damaged in transit. 2 out of the 3 things that were damaged were packed by the company. I cannot collect on insurance.

I get a call on the 7th telling me that they lost my credit card information and I need to give it to them again so they can charge me for the delivery (the charge was supposed to be done 1 day prior to delivery but their office forgot to do it). I’m having a problem with my credit card because I just moved and changed addressed on every legal document I owed. The credit card was having an issue with double payments to vendors, so it was temporarily on hold while they resolve it. I get another call on the 9th (3 days later) saying that they were going to take my bill that was late of 4 days and send it to collections the following morning. 4 days and to collections? I couldn't believe it. This company was a nightmare to work with.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I've moved many times and because of my experience I knew it was important to go with a credible van company. A non credible company might not deliver your goods anywhere near the date they said they would, would damage your property due to negligent packing, would hire inexperienced, unprofessional people. Allied assured me that I was safe from all of these possibilities. And yet, they committed all of them and much worse than I imagined.

We moved from Los Alamos, NM to Eugene, OR. We were told our shipment could arrive within five days and that they would keep us updated along the way. We would have used this time to vacation along the way to Eugene, but because of the short deadline we skipped out on those opportunities to meet the truck. Ha! The truck did not arrive for three and a half weeks. No one could tell us where it went because, we later learned, they had subcontracted our move out, which I was told in the beginning, they would never do. They did not have communication with the sub contractors for about a week.

As we called and called while sleeping on the floor of our new rental, we were told they "didn't know where our stuff was." This seems hard to believe, but it happened. The man who I initially signed up with stopped taking my phone calls. He also went on vacation a day after we started our move and didn't bother to tell us that or give us another contact. That man was with ABQ Moving and Storage but was a spokesman for Allied.

The delivery drivers were very unprofessional. The pick up driver was supposed to bring us extra boxes and packing material. When I asked him what we were supposed to do since we didn't have these materials and he didn't bring them he said, it was "not his problem, he never received the message." He even griped about the pay and how he had to work so hard. We ended up packing things ourselves within furniture using our blankets and sheets as packing supplies. Three and a half weeks later, I was starting to think our stuff had been stolen. As it turned out, the sub contracting company drove our truck to Arizona and parked it for several weeks without notification or intention to deliver it within the delivery window of two weeks.

We did speak with Allied representatives at this point who said they thought this situation was absolutely horrible and were sorry. They were especially embarrassed when they couldn't tell us where our stuff was. The truck was finally driven and dropped off with another sub contractor who then brought it to our house. The captain of this crew was an old cranky father who continually belabored his staff. It was tiring to listen to him, to say the least. They moved very slowly. We started helping unpack the truck so that we would be done before they day was over. It was summer, so we had long days, but still, they were still at it as the sun was cresting over the horizon.

As they unpacked, they told us over and over what an awful job this was and that we should submit claims. They, too, complained about how little they were paid and how much they were expected to do. Surprisingly, despite the earthquake shattered appearance of the packed walls within the truck, we only lost one piece of furniture; a large wooden file cabinet. Another piece of furniture was damaged, but we fixed it ourselves. Other small things were broken.

I specifically hired this company to be professional. They were the most unprofessional of movers that we have ever seen. We have moved ten times in the past 17 years. We could have hired a bunch of college kids to do a much better job and have paid a fraction of the cost. We paid $10,168. No one called us to apologize. No one reached out at all after we moved in. We had to purchase air beds for four, towels, blankets, everything so that we could camp out on the floor of our rental. This was an absolute atrocity. It was beyond offensive on so many levels and made our lives for three weeks exhausting and demeaning. I actually think we could sue this company and win. Do not use Allied Van Lines. They are distrustful, disrespectful and incredibly unprofessional.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Minnesota to Ohio. We hired Allied Van Lines to move us cross country. Because it was an expensive move, we tried to go with the cheaper option. Allied Vans came in a little less than other companies so we went with them. They loaded all of our stuff into a truck, took it to a warehouse 30 min away, unloaded it, then a few days later put it on a semi truck with multiple customer loads and sent it across country. There is no inventory or chain of custody when they transfer your things.

When they arrive, they tell you when the truck is being unloaded you need to check off the list of everything coming off the truck, what they don't say is that there are 4-5 people moving very quickly and you at the same time have to show them where things go in the house. It is almost impossible to check off every item as they are unloading. Long story short, Allied lost my entire golf set up, all of my clubs, shoes, balls, gloves, etc. It was very expensive. I did not realize this until a few weeks later though. When I called Allied they said, I had signed the papers when they left, so too bad. They basically said it was my fault that they lost my stuff. I tried taking a legal route but still they say too bad. Tldr: I hired Allied, they lost my stuff and took no responsibility.

Allied Van Lines Company Information