3.8/5 (488 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

Cons

• Can be pricier than competitors

Bottom Line

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

Top United Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up … The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also ...

Verified

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process ... After everything was done not a scratch on anyt...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines is a large moving company that offers local, long-distance, cross-country and international moving services. Each move comes with loading and unloading, online tracking and full valuation coverage. The inclusion of full valuation coverage with every move is a standout feature. You can take advantage of a wide range of additional services to make your move as effortless as possible.

United Van Lines cost

The average apartment move with United Van Lines costs about $4,000, while the average household move costs approximately $7,750. Local moves are cheaper — about $2,250 for a large move with packing services. Costs for moving vary based on the time of year, the weight of transported possessions, additional moving services selected and the moving distance.

Some companies give a rough estimate of moving costs after you submit basic information, but United Van Lines prefers to perform a more thorough in-home estimate before giving a quote. The quote the company gives after your in-home inspection remains the same unless you move more items than expected.

Estimated United Van Lines long-distance moving costs

Apartment sizeWithout packingWith packing
    One-bedroom$2,100$2,700
    Two-bedroom$3,500$4,700
    Three-bedroom$4,300$6,200

United Van Lines moving services

United Van Lines has a variety of free and paid moving services. Free services from United Van Lines include:

• In-home estimate: An in-home estimate is required before a move and is the only way to get an accurate quote.
    • Loading and unloading: As part of its services, United loads and unloads everything to and from its truck.
    • Shipment tracking: Track the location of your move using United’s online shipment tracker.
    • Online moving resources: Consult United’s website for a moving checklist and to see frequently asked questions.
    • Full value protection: This coverage offers $6 per pound for damaged or lost goods — significantly better than traditional coverage of $0.60 per pound.

Paid services from United Van Lines include:

• Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing and unpacking, partial packing or a customized plan.
    • Long- and short-term storage: If move-in and move-out dates don’t line up, temporary storage for possessions is an option. United can help arrange this.
    • Auto shipping: Moving a car? United partners with auto transport companies to ship vehicles.
    • Trash and debris pickup: United picks up leftover boxes and packing materials after your move.
    • Cleaning services: The company hires cleaners to make sure the move-out location is spotless.

United Van Lines FAQ

What packing services does United Van Lines offer?
    United Van Lines offers a few different packing options:
    • Full-service: United packs everything.
    • DIY: You pack your belongings, but United wraps furniture and loads and unloads it.
    • Custom crating: United packs fragile or antique items.
    • Customized packing: United works with you to develop the right packing plan.
    Can United Van Lines move my car?
    Yes, United Van Lines works with auto transporters that move vehicles.
    How can I submit a claim with United?
    To submit a claim, call United directly or submit the claim on its website.
    Does United offer cleaning services?
    Yes, United can hire cleaners to tidy up your move-out location. It offers services such as debris pickup and trash removal.

Is United Van Lines worth it?

United Van Lines is a great choice if you’re looking for a move that requires minimal effort on your part and are willing to pay a bit extra. We like that United is upfront with most of its pricing. We also like that United includes full valuation coverage to ensure fair reimbursement for lost or damaged items. Overall, United Van Lines is a solid option for those wanting an easy, secure move.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: June 25, 2022

My family moved from CA to UT in early 2022. I received 3 quotes from the biggest moving companies to pack some things and move my entire residence. All 3 came back super high, not surprising in these times of CA exit, they are taking advantage. I chose United Van Lines because they assured me that my valuable furniture and household things would be safe, well cared for and insured in case anything happened. Their biggest selling feature was yes, we may cost more but if something happens we have you covered. So, I went with United Van Lines who cost at least $5,000 more just to move my 3800sq ft. home than the next company. I was told that on a certain day the movers would come and first pack the requested rooms, then the next day they would come and move all the furniture, etc. The whole thing would take two, three days max.

I was confirmed with a phone call from the truck driver who was very nice and personable. The first day the truck arrived the driver asked if they could pack all the furniture the first day instead of the 2nd as he had alot of help that day and wasn't sure he would have them the following day so I agreed. They started to take apart bedroom furniture, couches, etc. I own a large jewelry box that was in my bedroom as they were packing my furniture said if you have anything loose in there you need to make sure it is secure. Most of the stuff in there was in drawers or cubbyies and was safe and locked but the top had a large area where I just threw most of my loose jewelry that I wore on a daily basis.

I had already boxed up and had my expensive jewelry in a secure location. I was planning to do the same with this jewelry but was not prepared as they came a day early. So, I threw all of my loose jewelry from the top of my box into cloth bags and put It in a box. I labeled it perfume and set aside to personally take in my car. The house was packed and ready to go the following day. The box went missing when I went to put it in my car and I could not find it. When I asked about they said they weren't sure but would keep an eye out for it. I would say that the staff was very helpful and the driver was extremely helpful and organized. The move was going beautifully. We agreed to meet at the UT residence in a few days and all was good. We arrived at the UT residence and everything went great, the move went very well and the moving staff in UT were very efficient.

We were very happy with the move. A few days later I looked thru all the boxes looking for my daily jewelry and found the box down in a storage room. I could tell the tape had been removed and the box opened. I opened the box and found 3 of the 4 cloth bags full of daily jewelry were missing. Most of the daily jewelry I wore was gone. I called the company and they were very sympathetic and told me I needed to fill out a claim form. I do not know all of what was stolen, I'm sure I will still be realizing pieces missing for years to come as I did not have an inventory of these items. I noticed that several rings were missing and a set my husband had just bought me in Maui for our anniversary. Not big ticket items but in total between the 3 rings I cannot find and the Maui set about $5000. So, I filed a claim for them.

A month went by and I inquired how things were going. They said they ran extensive background checks on their people and were conducting interviews. Another 2 months went by and I had not heard a thing. So, I emailed asking the status. I received a response that the person was no longer with the company and someone else would handle my claim. About a week later I get an email saying they will cut me a check for $1000. I was insulted as asked why. They said my jewelry had not been logged into the high value inventory and therefore didn't know it existed. I replied with, it wasn't high value, more sentimental than anything. My wedding ring is worth $68k and that was on their list and I made sure that was in my possession.

But I went with their company because they said they would take care of me if anything happened. I guess that is not the case. I felt they did a good job moving. They stole from me and then hid the box in the back of storage room. I feel violated and wonder how any company can make their claim to fame on "Yes, we are more expensive but we have your back", when they don't have your back. United Van Lines charged an exorbitant amount to move my household and then didn't back me up when their employees stole jewelry from me. Don't use this company. They are dishonest and will not uphold their promises.

Original review: May 22, 2022

My fiancé and I signed with United to move from Salt Lake City to Pittsburgh. We chose United because in the past we had been scammed shady moving companies and we wanted to do business with someone established and professional. The salesmen who came to give us a quote assured us our belongings would be wrapped by their team and taken great care of. He also told us we needn’t empty any of our dresser drawers before pick up, the movers would be able to take them with everything inside. It all sounded good so we signed a contract none the wiser.

The day of pickup, three men from Mesa Movers arrived and began loading up our things. We’d packed everything in heavy duty boxes and it was all stacked in the living room to make things convenient for them. We had also wrapped our 72 inch TV crudely in bubble wrap, assuming they would provide additional wrapping and care as we’d listed it as a high value item. The men hastily loaded up our items as my fiancé was doing some work from home, and assured us everything would arrive safe and sound.

We learned very quickly that was not in fact the case. Upon delivery we immediately noticed something was amiss. All our boxes had caved in on one another and had experienced obvious water damage. Our mattress or couch cushions had not been wrapped at all and were covered in grime. NOTHING had been additionally wrapped. Even the gentlemen delivering our items noted that whomever had packed our items did a very poor job. It honestly looked like our things had been sitting in a damp warehouse shoved in some corner. The delivery men then let us know that our high-value television had both of its legs snapped off. This tv had extremely heavy duty plastic legs so the only thing that could have snapped them off would’ve been some sort of extreme force. We weren’t able to set it up for obvious reasons.

Additionally, a picture frame of ours was smashed in and two of our dressers were missing several pieces completely. The delivery driver additionally told us we should NOT have left all our items in our dresser drawers because that increases chance of damage and the salesmen should not have told us it was allowable. The delivery men were very helpful and understanding. They filled out a list of damage, assuring us if we found any additional damage we would be able to update our claim and submit it to insurance. We said ok, signed for the damage we’d seen upon delivery assuming United had our best interest in mind, and the drivers when on their way. Huge mistake.

After ordering and receiving new legs for our television, we were finally able to unwrap and sit it upright. We then found the TV had deep scratches across the screen. The one item we had listed as high-value was ironically the item that received the most damage. My fiancé filled out an updated insurance claim and submitted it. Some folks came in to take photos of the damage and assured us we’d hear back in a few weeks. We had filed for the full value of the TV as well as a few hundred dollars for the destroyed picture frame and damaged dressers. We didn’t even mention the dirty, water damaged items because we weren’t trying to make things more difficult for anyone. We just wanted reimbursed for what United had damaged.

Several weeks later, we receive an email stating we’ve earned a return of $140 and that because the TV scratches or the busted frame hadn’t been on the sheet we initially signed with delivery drivers they wouldn’t be held liable. We responded, saying their delivery drivers had assured us otherwise. He had clearly told us if we came across any additional damage, we could simply update our claim. They even had the photos as proof, the damage their people dealt was clear. We were given a curt response, stating again that we should have assessed all our damage while the drivers were there and there was nothing they would do to further assist us.

We paid nearly 8k to United to avoid this very situation, and now they are refusing to take any responsibility for the items THEIR PEOPLE damaged. Now, no one from the company will get back to us. They got what they wanted and clearly they know exactly what they’re doing to people. The inconsistencies across their branches has caused us nearly $1400 in damages and we are now left high and dry with broken items and $140. United has shown a complete lack of integrity and I honestly wish we’d just hired a shady moving company again; at least with them you know what kind of service to expect.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2022

After we signed our contract with United, they refused to ever talk to us. I called and emailed them dozens of times trying to ask when the truck was coming and no one would respond. I eventually got hold of a supervisor who said that the person in charge of our move would be in touch soon; another dozen calls and emails later, I never heard anything. The only time I heard from our "move coordinator" was when our delivery was delayed. She had no idea what happened, where it was, or when it was coming. After that one phone call, she never responded to us again, despite dozens of attempts.

By haranguing literally anyone we could get a hold of, we were finally able to extract the name of the three subcontractors involved and then spent the next 3 days instructing them exactly where to deliver our stuff. No one at United would ever talk to us, and no one even acknowledged that anything was wrong. To them, the completely useless move coordinator was doing a perfectly satisfactory job. They're broken to the core and have no interest in making any improvements. They promised to do a job and only did half of it; they kept 100% of the money of course. Stay away from these crooks!

Original review: March 4, 2022

I was carefully loaded in Chicago, as it turns out in a smallish truck. Then EVERYTHING was unloaded and reloaded on a large interstate truck. Then everything was once again unloaded and reloaded on a smallish truck in Jacksonville, FL. This was three times which allowed for three times as much damage: dropped chest with granite top which came in 20 pieces in a box, a broken desk leg that was screwed back on so badly that the point came through the top of the leg, 4 crushed or chipped pieces of glass on pictures or table tops and scratches along the edges of furniture. They reviewed the damage and "the check is in the mail" and overdue.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

Imagine being on your way to meet your movers at your new townhouse only to find out your previously quoted overage amount on your direct bill has increased from $351 to $2,173. Ha that was my reality on 1/31/22. I recently moved from Michigan to Arkansas and my company was covering the relocation expenses. Prior to my move, it was communicated to me from my HR rep if the final total exceeded my allotment I then owed United the difference directly. My items were picked up in Lansing, Michigan on 1/22/22 and were scheduled to be delivered on 1/31/22.

After everything was picked up and loaded I got an email from my HR rep informing me that after picking up my items United sent over an updated invoice. Due to their negligence when I did the initial virtual call some of my items were left off my initial invoice. After Jason (the driver) did the loading in Michigan he contacted United to see how much he was getting compensated for the move and that’s when the discrepancy was caught. The new invoice after my company's corporate discounts were applied was $5,751 which exceeded my moving expense allotment and I now owed roughly $350 dollars on the day of my move.

Fast forward to the day before the move. I got a call from Jason that his truck could not fit into the complex and he needed to get a “shuttle” in Arkansas. However, the local company did not have the truck on hand at the store so he couldn’t give me an estimated delivery time until he had the truck, which is understandable.

For context, a shuttle is literally just a smaller moving truck. Jason confirmed once he picked up the truck he’d give me a call so I could meet him and his crew at my new place. On the way to meet Jason for the unload, I received a call from Jennifer, who is account agent for United. She asked how I wanted to take care of the additional balance, credit card or check. I told her card is fine, but wanted to confirm the final balance was roughly $351. To my surprise she said the balance was actually $2,173! Keep in mind my company has already dished out over 5k on their end for the direct bill.

I asked Jennifer how my difference went from being $351 to $2,173. That’s absurd. She was speechless herself. I asked for a breakdown of how in the world a total could increase that much. Additionally if a total was increasing that much why was I just being informed on the day of, as I’m driving to meet the movers. Jennifer said she honestly didn’t have a response and needed to call the billing department because this was the first time she’d ever seen anything like this. After speaking with the billing department she was informed the total increased because due to the size of Jason’s truck had to rent a shuttle both in Michigan and Arkansas and also had to pack some additional items (pictures, glass, etc) that wasn’t on the original quote.

I asked Jennifer how am I responsible for Jason’s shuttle. The size of his truck is not my issue. Jason was aware the has an 18 wheeler, I moved from one apartment complex to another. His truck being unable to get into a complex should’ve been communicated beforehand. Furthermore, it still didn’t make sense to me why I was responsible for the smaller moving truck. Jennifer again was speechless and understood my frustration but she still could not give me a detailed breakdown of how and why the total increased. She said she’d have to get the billing department to send over the final invoice, in the meantime she suggested I contact my HR rep. I asked her when the balance was due, and she said before the unload is complete. Jason and his crew actually stopped unloading my items mid move until they received confirmation from Jennifer that I paid the balance.

At this point I’m furious because again this was the first time I was hearing I’d owe $2000 additional dollars. I moved from a two bedroom apartment to a two bedroom townhouse. I’ve moved a lot for work and this is not a $10k move by any means, especially because I had ZERO appliances. I contacted my HR rep and she was speechless when I told her this new information, because again NO ONE FROM UNITED SAID A THING ABOUT THE BALANCE JUMPING FROM $351 to $2,173. This was the first any of us had heard of this. United sent over an invoice to my HR rep on January 24th for $5,751, which factored in the charges for the additional packing Jason and his crew had to do.

When I expressed my frustration to Jason about this surprise $2,173 total he ensured he contacted United and informed them about the shuttle services so he’s not sure why I was never contacted. United is pretty well known so for them to drop the ball like this is inexcusable. I am still waiting on a final invoice from the billing department to see how the new charges came about.

Everyone I’ve spoken to has given me the runaround. I contacted the corporate office on 2/1/22, and spoke to a rep named Bob. Per Bob, there wasn’t a description of how my charges occurred nor was there a final invoice present in my file, but he would do some digging and contact me with a solution once he had some answers. It's February 10th and I’m still waiting to hear back from Bob. I followed up with him on 2/9/22 and did not get a response. This has by far been the worst moving experience I have ever encountered. I would not recommend United to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

We chose this moving company among 3 businesses that we had received quotes from based on cost and other reviews. When discussing terms, we were made believe that our property was covered for damages and we were not offered any additional coverage or insurance. When our items were delivered after they had been in the moving company's storage facility for about a month, there were moths in a rug and a lamp shade was broken. I claimed these damages still believing that I would be reimbursed for the cost of replacing these items costing approximately $1500.

When I received a check I could not believe it. It was in the amount of $15! It turns out my items were not actually covered. I was reimbursed for only 60 cents per pound of damaged item. I want everyone to know that United Van Lines will try to underbid other companies making you believe that your property is covered for damages. In the end, I have to be thankful that I "only" suffered $1500 in damages. I do not even want to imagine a situation, in which all items would have been damaged or lost!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I have made 3 moves (interstate and intrastate) in the past with United Van Lines (UVL) /Mayflower (a subsidiary company) and had always been pleased with their service. In October 2021 when I decided to move from South CA to Montana, I called UVL. However, when I called the number for UVL on 10/26/2021, Leo from Nationwide moving services (NMS) somehow intercepted my call. He did not identify the company he was with, just stating “Moving Company, how may I help you”. NMS had obtained the exact address UVL moved me from Colorado to Vista, CA which was my last move with UVL.

Given that he had detailed info of my 2018 move, I had no reason to doubt that I was talking to UVL. I was rushed through checking the listed inventory, the estimated cost of the move ,and the signing of the contract online, collecting my deposit of $1504.67. Assuming I was dealing with UVL, I felt comfortable signing the contract immediately and paying the deposit. 4 days later when I printed out the contract and realized my mistake, I contacted NMS but was unable to cancel the contract.

I contacted UVL customer care on 12/8/2021 and spoke with Bob re this incident and my concerns with breach of my privacy. He stated there had been similar complaints. He took my info and stated the legal department will get in touch with me, but to date no one has contacted me. On 12/15/2021, I contacted integritymatters@unigroupinc.com (I assume the parent organization for UVL/Mayflower?) and filed a complaint regarding my concerns for breach of privacy. I was given a case number and told someone will contact me, but to date I have not heard from anyone. I did not at any time authorize any company to give/sell my personal info to moving companies, brokers etc. So how did NMS obtain detailed information of my move with UVL? Since I have not heard from UVL regarding my concerns/complaints, I have to assume UVL does not care about the breach of privacy, the interception of the phone call, or offer any protection to its customers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Diggins and Rose has failed to meet the expectations laid out in the Bill of Lading. They packed and collected my items on November 23, 2020 and have now transferred them off from the storage container into their Diggins and Rose storage warehouse without my knowledge or permission. They have failed to meet the December 13th, 2020 deadline that was laid out in the bill of lading, then ceased contact from about December 18th, 2020 until January 7th, 2022. During the few times of contact with staff, they have forgotten about my move, as evidence by statement from Laura, their move coordinator, "I thought everything was delivered".

Additionally they have refused to give me a deadline or timeline of delivery, and state they do not have any movers to move my property. However, in the same breath, they also state their drivers are busy with other moves. They have also not started a delay claim as I am entitled to in contractual agreement. I am also now unable to access/download my bill of lading or estimate from their website. During this time without my property, I have had to repurchase a plethora of items (already owned and held at hostage) due to this delay and to continue my daily living. As of this day of complaint, my property continue to be held hostage without a projected delivery date and company has been neglectful informing me of any updates.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

When I first called and got a quote to move, the agent said it would be no problem to move my piano and get it up some stairs. It came to moving day, the driver had no knowledge of having to move my baby grand let alone get it upstairs. Before he got to my new residence, he tried to find someone to help with the piano but came up with no one. The two gentlemen that showed to help to unpack the truck had no knowledge of moving a piano. They tried three times to get it up the stairs but was unsuccessful. It sat in the garage for three weeks before it was moved. The company representative had found a professional piano mover and asked me to pay half. With the prospects of my piano sitting out in the garage longer I agreed to pay half.

When it was moved by the professional piano movers several spots were damaged-the keyboard lid had to be glued back together, rub spots on the finish, a piece of veneer off the front, and some wood shaved off in a couple of spots-all of which were repaired by a repairman. United did reimburse me for the repairs. Moral of the story--they can not move a piano.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

They were supposed to deliver between 8 and 10 a.m. At 10:10 a.m., when they hadn't arrived, I called the driver, who said, "We're almost loaded and then we have to get something to eat, then we'll be there." Why? Eat before you're supposed to be there--or after--I don't care, but why make me wait? I've already been waiting for over a week (not their fault).

When they got to my new house, they arrived not in the 53' trailer and truck my stuff was loaded into but in a U-Haul truck. I could see that furniture wasn't protected, that stuff was crammed in there. The driver, who was a nice man, said that our stuff was off-loaded into storage and that that morning the two of them had loaded it into the U-Haul. They damaged two nice pieces of furniture, one of them a family table passed down from another generation, and damaged my BBQ by crushing in the front of it and mangling the metal back brace. They allowed a white-painted chair to put a white scratch all across the seat back of a blue Adirondack chair and broke the leg off a small bench and lost the bolt to it.

There should've been more than two men moving some of this stuff. I thought they were going to dump my piano down the hill. It was precarious and needed more than two men. It took four to get it on the truck at the origin. The second man was in bad sorts the whole time. He did not want to be there and was testy a couple of times. We all go through stuff, but I didn't need his; I have my own stuff to deal with.

I think this is a good company. I think I was unlucky. Someone screwed up, but, after spending 90 minutes photographing all the damaged items and forwarding them with a completed claim form, I decided to call the company. Jessica was excellent on the phone and said she'd pass along our experience. She represented her company very professionally.

Today is 11-02-2021, and I'm adding to my review from a few days ago. I've since discovered items missing and my couch and love seat were damaged. The wood was chipped and scratched. The couch had a wooden decorative frame across the top where they broke off a big chunk and then someone just glued it back. Found a glass frame on a large painting broken, too. I no longer think this is a good company. A good company would tell you they damaged something so bad that they tried to glue it. No one said a word. All you folks giving them five stars . . .you should thank YOUR lucky stars you had a good experience. Because it's a crap shoot with Armstrong Relocation.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

United Van Lines Company Information