2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.22/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

BOTTOM LINE

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

PROS

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

CONS

• Can be pricier than competitors

Top United Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up … The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also kind and efficient … I would definitely recommend this company to others.

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process ... After everything was done not a scratch on anything and nothing missing or broke. Bravo.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines is a large moving company that offers local, long-distance, cross-country and international moving services. Each move comes with loading and unloading, online tracking and full valuation coverage. The inclusion of full valuation coverage with every move is a standout feature. You can take advantage of a wide range of additional services to make your move as effortless as possible.

United Van Lines cost

The average apartment move with United Van Lines costs about $4,000, while the average household move costs approximately $7,750. Local moves are cheaper — about $2,250 for a large move with packing services. Costs for moving vary based on the time of year, the weight of transported possessions, additional moving services selected and the moving distance.

Some companies give a rough estimate of moving costs after you submit basic information, but United Van Lines prefers to perform a more thorough in-home estimate before giving a quote. The quote the company gives after your in-home inspection remains the same unless you move more items than expected.

Estimated United Van Lines long-distance moving costs

Apartment sizeWithout packingWith packing
      One-bedroom$2,100$2,700
      Two-bedroom$3,500$4,700
      Three-bedroom$4,300$6,200

United Van Lines moving services

United Van Lines has a variety of free and paid moving services. Free services from United Van Lines include:

• In-home estimate: An in-home estimate is required before a move and is the only way to get an accurate quote.
      • Loading and unloading: As part of its services, United loads and unloads everything to and from its truck.
      • Shipment tracking: Track the location of your move using United’s online shipment tracker.
      • Online moving resources: Consult United’s website for a moving checklist and to see frequently asked questions.
      • Full value protection: This coverage offers $6 per pound for damaged or lost goods — significantly better than traditional coverage of $0.60 per pound.

Paid services from United Van Lines include:

• Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing and unpacking, partial packing or a customized plan.
      • Long- and short-term storage: If move-in and move-out dates don’t line up, temporary storage for possessions is an option. United can help arrange this.
      • Auto shipping: Moving a car? United partners with auto transport companies to ship vehicles.
      • Trash and debris pickup: United picks up leftover boxes and packing materials after your move.
      • Cleaning services: The company hires cleaners to make sure the move-out location is spotless.

United Van Lines FAQ

What packing services does United Van Lines offer?
      United Van Lines offers a few different packing options:
      • Full-service: United packs everything.
      • DIY: You pack your belongings, but United wraps furniture and loads and unloads it.
      • Custom crating: United packs fragile or antique items.
      • Customized packing: United works with you to develop the right packing plan.
      Can United Van Lines move my car?
      Yes, United Van Lines works with auto transporters that move vehicles.
      How can I submit a claim with United?
      To submit a claim, call United directly or submit the claim on its website.
      Does United offer cleaning services?
      Yes, United can hire cleaners to tidy up your move-out location. It offers services such as debris pickup and trash removal.

Is United Van Lines worth it?

United Van Lines is a great choice if you’re looking for a move that requires minimal effort on your part and are willing to pay a bit extra. We like that United is upfront with most of its pricing. We also like that United includes full valuation coverage to ensure fair reimbursement for lost or damaged items. Overall, United Van Lines is a solid option for those wanting an easy, secure move.

United Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: April 26, 2020

Just finished a cross country relocation with United Van Lines and S&M movers. I couldn't have been more pleased. They did an in house inventory and were upfront and honest from start to finish. Furniture was packed/unpacked professionally and conscientiously. Everything arrived in separate containers exactly when they said it would. Moving is neither easy nor inexpensive, but the bottom line is that when I do it again, I will make the same call. A special shout out to Denise ** and Mike **. You guys were great! Thank you so much.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

They were efficient, polite and attentive to our requests. Would recommend them again. This was a long haul and they were on time and unloaded everything without mishap.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

As far as United Van Lines, they moved us across the country in July and did an excellent job. They also did all of the packing and some of the unpacking and moved our two cars. No damage at all.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process. I was amazed at the quick time it took to tag and document all my items to loading up the semi with a 3 story house full. When we got to our destination all my items did not fit so they drove to a very tight fitting storage facility and unloaded the rest of items into 2 storage rooms full top to bottom. After everything was done not a scratch on anything and nothing missing or broke. Bravo.

Original review: July 13, 2020

I contracted with American Van Lines on June 17th of this year with a $1,572 credit card deposit for a June 30th move from New York to Virginia Beach. Although I was promised that they would call me ahead of time to confirm the time that the movers would arrive, I never received a word from them on this. On the day before the scheduled move date, I kept calling during the day and they kept promising to get back to me. Finally, at 6 PM the day before the move date, they called to say that the truck was held up and wouldn't be there the next day. I called the apartment complex to explain the delay the next day, July 1st. I again called throughout the day, asking what time they would be there the next day, July 2nd. Again they kept putting me off. Finally, they told me that the EARLIEST, they could move me would be Saturday the 4th of July.

Since I obviously could not trust them and was paying rent, utilities etc as of the 1st, I cancelled the move with them & asked for a refund, which they provided. I now had to find someone at the last minute that could move me on the 3rd. Unable to shop around this time, I was forced to pay more than $2,000 over their quoted price and had to make special arrangements to get my apartment keys, since the office was closed due to the July 4th weekend. They don't deserve any stars and I wouldn't trust them to move me around the corner. They said they wanted to discuss compensation for their contractual violation but I haven't heard from them so I am likely headed to court.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Moved cross country in 2019. The move was good, the workers and truck driver the friendliest people. But we did receive broken furniture - specially a console very damaged. After many emails to be able to be guided on how to file a claim I did through the instructed web link that same day (about 1 month after the move). I expect a time delay in response and let them do what they need to do but looked back now (just about 9 months after the move) to see the status of the claim since no one ever contacted me and I find out the web page doesn't work well sometimes and maybe it never went through (I even emailed all the info to the company back then after the move and they gave me a claim number. How was I supposed to know it never went through?).

And I am now being told that, "It's too late, sorry we never received your claim." Even when I submitted as proof all my emails with them they just are not responsible about that (one of their workers did acknowledge to me that there is a faulty thing about the web page that hopefully we can resolves this but I haven't been able to speak with same representative and now they just denied).

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

We are no stranger to moves- this is our 7th, but 1st with United. We paid $9000 to move 1300 miles. We had everything packed, United was hired to load, transport, and unload. They failed on 2 out of the 3 things they were hired to do.

1) First semi showed up without enough room for our items, there were two other families' things in the semi. We had an in-home estimate completed so this should not have happened.
        2) We had to help load the second semi that showed up several hours later. The only person that showed up was the driver.
        3) No guaranteed delivery date with second semi... still don't have it as I write this review.

4) First semi shows up for delivery with no help to unload, only the driver. Once again, we had to unload everything. Several very heavy items that we were charged extra to have moved (gun safe and an arcade game).

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I would strongly recommend not trusting anything you value to United Van Lines. This is the story of our move from the midwest to the state of Washington. We contacted UVL in October for a scheduled January move. They were very easy to work with and friendly. I was just recovering from surgery, so perhaps not my most alert because… Warning #1. The gentleman I spoke with did an on-phone (no visual) inventory of our stuff and sent us an estimate. I warned him several times that we had a lot of books and a very large hutch. Apparently, he did not pay attention to this because our initial estimate turned out to be $4000 less than what we were charged on the actual day of the move (when all our belongings were already in the van.) In all previous moves, someone had come out to give the preliminary estimate, so he/she saw what we had. Apparently, not part of UVL’s protocol.

Warning #2 -- Moving day arrives and a wonderful crew of movers comes to our house. However, they were driving a large, U-Haul van. We knew from past experience that this wouldn’t be large enough to hold our things. (We had paid for a piano to be moved.) They eventually brought another smaller van, so now our earthly belongings are in two U-Hauls, bound for Chicago where we were promised they would immediately be moved into a larger van and sent out west. I am pretty sure they were transferred to a warehouse first and then loaded on the cross-country van. (Note -- while everyone from Amazon to Lands’ End now gives you frequent tracking updates, this is not part of UVL’s policy.) We were told that it would take a minimum of 2 weeks for our items to arrive, and that did happen.

Warning #3 -- Sunday night we got a call from the driver of the van that our items were in. He would come to our condo the next day to see if his van would fit. No way in hell does this van fit in any residential neighborhood, but especially in a (fairly large) condo parking lot. So the next morning, we meet him at a local mall, see his humongous truck and he offers us a deal. Rather than pay the $1300 shuttle fee, we will rent a truck and he will designate two local guys (whom we will pay) to unload our items. This ends up costing almost $1000, but less than $1300.

In the meantime, we pay the driver the rest of the money (as agreed) for our goods. The two young men working for us are hard working and polite. However, some of our furniture requires three people and we have a lot of books. The move-in ends up taking two days, partly because the two young men hired are not piano movers. (We paid extra for the piano). Thank goodness they do an adequate job with the piano, though a wheel is off. Meanwhile, the driver left town, moving on to his next job, leaving us with a huge pile of packing rugs which he will supposedly pick up. (Almost 4 weeks later, they are still taking up ¼ of our garage.) We also have a couple of items that don’t belong to us, which we report to UVL. (One of the boxes actually has the identifying sticker for its owner on it, but it’s still sitting in our garage.

So this is at least three moves (probably four) of our stuff. And this is the heartbreaker for me. In the move, they lost several boxes of our things, including a quilt that my late mother had made, which was to be a wedding gift for my daughter. Also missing are some of my jewelry and a framed stitchery, also from my mother. There are a couple more “valuable” things missing, like a flat screen TV missing as well, but these others are irreplaceable. Right now, there are claims out, but I imagine we will never see these precious items again. After all, they have our money. So, if you care about anything in particular you own, don’t entrust it to United.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Must avoid absolutely! Most of my furniture, some of which were registered as valuable items, arrived without any protection or moving blankets (light colored Italian leather sofa, velvet chair, floor lamp, bookcases, etc.). Some were dirty, full of gravel, and almost all were damaged. Yet, they were all carefully packed by the moving team at origin. The unloading at destination was sloppy, hasty, careless of the furniture or the premises. The small team of movers was partly made up of obviously inexperienced contract workers. For example, they dragged my bookcases on the floor, in the elevator, knocked my floor lamp on the ceiling, on the walls ... The team seemed overworked, rushed and dispatched for my move at the last minute at the end of the day.

However, the team who worked on my claims was very helpful and courteous. Nevertheless, the meager monetary compensation certainly doesn't worth the lost of value, the waste of time and all the hassle required to get compensated. You are very well just a number in the sea of claimants. At the end, the repairs done on my furniture were correct but nothing more. My pieces of furniture are still damaged and it still shows. UVL should really make an effort and choose their subcontractors more carefully (it was a transborder move from the US to Canada). If you care about your furniture and your place, go elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Recently moved from PA to MA and selected United Van Lines even when they were more expensive than 4 other firms I contacted - I thought I was buying peace of mind. Surprises started with a bad estimate (even when I requested to do it twice) asking me to pay more than what they promised in their offer... and they were late in delivery due to poor coordination at their dispatch office. Submitted a claim for additional expenses I incurred due to their delay in delivery and received an email agreeing to pay about 15% of my out of pocket expenses. Hope this review helps others not fall in same trap I did.

United Van Lines Company Information