1.20/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

United Van Lines Reviews

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

They were efficient, polite and attentive to our requests. Would recommend them again. This was a long haul and they were on time and unloaded everything without mishap.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

As far as United Van Lines, they moved us across the country in July and did an excellent job. They also did all of the packing and some of the unpacking and moved our two cars. No damage at all.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process. I was amazed at the quick time it took to tag and document all my items to loading up the semi with a 3 story house full. When we got to our destination all my items did not fit so they drove to a very tight fitting storage facility and unloaded the rest of items into 2 storage rooms full top to bottom. After everything was done not a scratch on anything and nothing missing or broke. Bravo.

Original review: May 24, 2019

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up. Even when I forgot to confirm the move they made it out to pack it up. The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also kind and efficient. The people working for this company are kind, understanding, and work hard to please their customers. I would definitely recommend this company to others.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

We were sold on the private container concept. Packed at our house and opened at our new house. It cost more, but seemed worth it. The day of the move a truck showed up without containers. What could we do at the last minute? So our furniture was packed on a truck that was headed to another house to be loaded together. When it arrived, it was packed in wooden crates, not the metal containers shown in the promotional material. This private container concept is a sham. Never use United Van Lines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Not sure how so many reviews of United Van Lines are glowing. UVLs must censor the negative ones. I have moved dozens of times -- 5 long distance moves since 2004. My recent move was a nightmare and continues to be. Four (!!) of my antiques were damaged, two seriously with legs broken off. A carton is missing. UVLs took forever to get going on my claim. At last they sent around their 'service provider' -- I had thought he was who they hired to do the restorations so I scurried around to find references for him in my new town. Then, weeks later I find out only when asking that he was providing an estimate to UVLs and I was to get my own restorers. First, they damage my furniture badly which has never happened in many previous moves, then they give me a runaround on my claim of damages. DO NOT go with United Van Lines if you are considering a move!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

If I could give a zero star, I would. I moved from Florida to California and my company gave me United Van Lines as an option to move. I only had 8-10 boxes of clothes, etc...to move as I did not have any furniture. I not only had issues with them being hours late to pick up my boxes but I just found out that they overcharged my company. Initially when I discussed charges, they told me that it would cost around $1700 (after an in-person inspection & my company sending them a PO). No one mentioned anything on pick-up on drop-off of my boxes that the charges had changed. And now I find out that they charged my company $5040. I suspect this is because my budget for the relocation was $5000 and they wanted to charge the FULL amount. This is not right. So if you're reading this, go with another moving company. Although none are perfect, they at least won't charge you for what they didn't do.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

They lost my Miele vacuum, then said they never had it. They damaged a table. They lost my favorite baking pan, a set of flannel sheets and a costly scissor that I bought for my dog. They lost an ancestor painting that is irreplaceable.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

This was a company move. They underestimated the amount of stuff. They loaded the truck and left the rest in the garage. They sent a second truck the following week. They started loading the truck, but it started raining. So, they closed up the truck and left, leaving the rest of the stuff on the curb in Houston! Needless to say, a lot of our stuff didn’t make it here! They also did a lousy job of packing. Several things were broken.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

United Van Lines moved me from New York to Charlotte, NC. They Quoted a MAXIMUM charge of $5,400.00 but when we got to our destination, they told us the cost was $7,200.00 and held our belongings hostage until we paid. How's that for Highway Robbery!

United Van Lines expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

United Van Lines is a trusted mover that has over 340 agent locations in the United States and also offers international moving services. The company was founded in Cleveland, OH, in 1928.

• Quotes: The company starts by offering you a detailed quote so you are aware of how much your move will cost.

• Unpacking: United Van Lines offers many levels of packing and unpacking that include furniture assembly, disassembly and setting up new offices.

• Pricing: It has fair prices and a number of optional services to keep moves affordable, such as having customers pack the material themselves and extending the delivery dates so that they can bulk your move in with other customers.

• Protection plans: The company offers many protection plans in order to ensure that your belongings arrive safe and are insured against damage.

• Auto transport: Car transport is provided on United Van fleets so you don't have to drive your car yourself or add extra miles to it.

• Best for: Individuals, households and military families.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
      Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

United Van Lines Company Information