Find a Movers partner

3.9/5 (833 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

Cons

• Can be pricier than competitors

Bottom Line

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

Top United Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up … The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also ...

Verified

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process ... After everything was done not a scratch on anyt...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines is a large moving company that offers local, long-distance, cross-country and international moving services. Each move comes with loading and unloading, online tracking and full valuation coverage. The inclusion of full valuation coverage with every move is a standout feature. You can take advantage of a wide range of additional services to make your move as effortless as possible.

United Van Lines cost

The average apartment move with United Van Lines costs about $4,000, while the average household move costs approximately $7,750. Local moves are cheaper — about $2,250 for a large move with packing services. Costs for moving vary based on the time of year, the weight of transported possessions, additional moving services selected and the moving distance.

Some companies give a rough estimate of moving costs after you submit basic information, but United Van Lines prefers to perform a more thorough in-home estimate before giving a quote. The quote the company gives after your in-home inspection remains the same unless you move more items than expected.

Estimated United Van Lines long-distance moving costs

Apartment sizeWithout packingWith packing
    One-bedroom$2,100$2,700
    Two-bedroom$3,500$4,700
    Three-bedroom$4,300$6,200

United Van Lines moving services

United Van Lines has a variety of free and paid moving services. Free services from United Van Lines include:

• In-home estimate: An in-home estimate is required before a move and is the only way to get an accurate quote.
    • Loading and unloading: As part of its services, United loads and unloads everything to and from its truck.
    • Shipment tracking: Track the location of your move using United’s online shipment tracker.
    • Online moving resources: Consult United’s website for a moving checklist and to see frequently asked questions.
    • Full value protection: This coverage offers $6 per pound for damaged or lost goods — significantly better than traditional coverage of $0.60 per pound.

Paid services from United Van Lines include:

• Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing and unpacking, partial packing or a customized plan.
    • Long- and short-term storage: If move-in and move-out dates don’t line up, temporary storage for possessions is an option. United can help arrange this.
    • Auto shipping: Moving a car? United partners with auto transport companies to ship vehicles.
    • Trash and debris pickup: United picks up leftover boxes and packing materials after your move.
    • Cleaning services: The company hires cleaners to make sure the move-out location is spotless.

United Van Lines FAQ

What packing services does United Van Lines offer?
    United Van Lines offers a few different packing options:
    • Full-service: United packs everything.
    • DIY: You pack your belongings, but United wraps furniture and loads and unloads it.
    • Custom crating: United packs fragile or antique items.
    • Customized packing: United works with you to develop the right packing plan.
    Can United Van Lines move my car?
    Yes, United Van Lines works with auto transporters that move vehicles.
    How can I submit a claim with United?
    To submit a claim, call United directly or submit the claim on its website.
    Does United offer cleaning services?
    Yes, United can hire cleaners to tidy up your move-out location. It offers services such as debris pickup and trash removal.

Is United Van Lines worth it?

United Van Lines is a great choice if you’re looking for a move that requires minimal effort on your part and are willing to pay a bit extra. We like that United is upfront with most of its pricing. We also like that United includes full valuation coverage to ensure fair reimbursement for lost or damaged items. Overall, United Van Lines is a solid option for those wanting an easy, secure move.

United Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: April 29, 2021

Moved twice with them. Never anything missing or broken. They were very polite and clean and packed very carefully (as if it were their own items). I haven't always had such positive experiences and have moved a great deal due to corporate relocations.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I had all of my stuff already packed in boxes ready to be loaded on their trucks to save the expense of them packing. My household goods was picked up on a Thursday in Ca. And then deliver before I was ready the following Mon in WY. I never got a chance to have my flooring done prior to all the furniture being moved in. The guys were all great. They worked quickly and put the furniture directly in the rooms I had specified.. Every box I packed was right there on the truck with no problems.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Service good, communication was excellent, they came when said. My biggest problem, china cabinet they disassembled but did not want to put glass shelves in again, I was arguing with them, and had to find a company in my new location to assemble it and fix it, thought that they were in different.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

My cousin works for them and I hired his services which were top notch! They were professional at what they were doing. My furniture was moved with extra care because of my tea cup collection and crystal. I would recommend again!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Super friendly, great rates and above average service, could not be more happy with this move! Arrived on time, handled everything with care, no issues whatsoever! Checked several companies, prices, reviews, etc -glad we chose this one!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I chose United Van Lines because of the national brand to move from NH to CO. RED FLAG #1 Moving day- they were 5 hours late to load truck- I tipped the packers as they worked hard. RED FLAG- #2 they used a partner to ship and need me to okay that - It was sister company Mayflower and I felt I had no choice so said okay- They showed up with a partial load because truck was full- I took inventory. They seem annoyed- 22 Missing items. I still tipped the driver and workers for their work.

RED FLAG- #3 "overflow" items still not here 30 days out. They kept telling me it would arrive in a week, then two then three now it will be 5 weeks from the quoted delivery date for my non-authorized overflow items. However I am not optimistic I will ever see these items. (22 of them worth tens of thousands of $$) One is even a scheduled 'high value item".

I know this all sounds bad but the worst part is the lack of customer service- The local rep keeps saying they need to talk to an "agent". Not sure what that means but gets zero results. Then I called 1800-948-4885 and got connected to a woman named Heather in customer service- (this is not an ideal job for her personality). She was so rude and indifferent about my situation- gave her my order number and she also needed to talk with an "agent". (I think this is an internal code for we have no idea where or when the things are and lets just get them off the phone.) I said this was not okay and I was going to dispute with AMEX (I have started that process). She said, "That's fine. We will just dispute it and we always win."

Then I said I wanted to talk with a supervisor- She said it won't matter- So at the end of the day I get it, things happen. Driver shortage... however United Van Lines has done NOTHING to help me out. I have one pair of jeans, 4 pair of underwear and missing artwork, office furniture, a grill, kitchen items and they simply do not care.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I used United Van Lines to move cross country this summer 2021 from San Diego to Wisconsin. This is the third time I've used United Van Lines. Through United Van Lines I was assigned a local agent in San Diego to coordinate my move: Johnson Storage and Moving. The move was supposed to take at least 2 weeks to get to Wisconsin. That date came and went, my moving agent never contacted me until I followed up on my own. Turns out my move went missing. At some point it was supposed to be in TN, then they flat out couldn't find it. Turns out it was still sitting in their warehouse 3 weeks later!

After an amazing number of emails and phone calls with an agent who really seemed to not understand how to help the situation (said she had a lot of issues like this recently) and gave absolutely no transparency nor was she the easiest to get a hold of, I was finally told my move would ship out to Wisconsin. When would it be delivered? No one had a clue. No one could give me an estimated time frame. How is that even the case? You have one job for which I'm paying a lot.

After another week of hounding my agent and then having to call the agent in Wisconsin, I finally got my move delivered - a month after the movers picked it up in San Diego! At this point, I was essentially my own moving coordinator and cut out the agent from San Diego. I received a "delay refund" every day my move was late from customer service. That is at least something. But the clueless, helpless, unprofessional San Diego agent I worked with who "had been doing this 20 years" really made this move complicated and stressful. Absolutely never using United Van Lines again.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

It's been two months and I still can't get United Van Lines to tell me when they'll deliver my "overflow"...which was really caused when they decided to put my stuff on a truck with another client and was only able to fit half of my things as the rest of the truck was filled with another person's belongings. They don't return my phone calls and when I actually talk to the people "coordinating" my move I hear that they're waiting on the corporate office to tell them what to do. I have china, Christmas decorations, emergency food, but do not have my bed, the second bedroom, my complete sofa or sectional (both items only had a portion of the furniture delivered), yard tools, tools in general, bookcases to put the books in that they did deliver. I'd be careful about using United Van Lines if you aren't part of a bigger contract like the military or a corporation. As an individual who used them, they certainly don't seem interested in delivering the rest of my items to me.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Paid for 1000 cubic ft. When they picked it up they told my daughter that there were 600 cubic feet and she owed 400 dollars more. Not knowing she paid it. I was told last Friday that I would have to wait and they would call me next week. Tomorrow is next Friday and still no word. Called there several times and still no word.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Out of state moving and used them to move and store our items while house shopping. They had us pay more because they had to wrap our items for storage in their facility. Took 1 and 1/3 truck to move us out and 1 truck to move back in. When I asked them where the 2nd truck was they told me it all fit into 1 truck. Many items are missing. My clothing, shoes, tools ladders the list is too long. Also many items were damaged, legs to my dining room table broken, TV smashed to pieces. They packed this all. Tried to speak to management but no return phone call. Of course I am filing a complaint but would not recommend them ever. I have moved 6 times and never had this happen. Worse customer service ever. So so sad.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

United Van Lines Company Information