1.14/5
Based on 176 reviews that contain star ratings

Discover the right moving company for you

216 United Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

United Van Lines, through its agent Chipman Relocations, moved our goods with a small amount of damage in the amount of $656.00. Zero deductible damage insurance had been bought (at extra cost), but Chipman offered to pay only half. My attorney advised Chipman that their offer was in violation of the contract and also violated fair trade practice laws. Chipman amended its offer to within $143.50 of the damage claim and said if I didn't accept, the offer and the claim would be considered closed.

On advice of counsel, the cost to recover the small balance, including time, was not worth the effort (and the movers know this) so I accepted the partial payment. Now, after reading the reviews of United I am sorry I didn't read them prior to selecting United. I won't make that mistake again. A notification of this information has been submitted to the California Better Business Bureau, complete with my attorney's statements.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

You can't imagine the heartbreak as I opened the boxes and found so many broken items. We have moved several times before and never experienced this degree of disrespect for our belongings. The boxes left our home, in Pennsylvania, in pristine condition and arrived at our new home, in Canada, all mangled and the contents completely destroyed. We have a beautiful armoire from Brazil which had made the trip unscathed but with this moving company it arrived with pieces broken off. The driver of the truck had such a bad attitude and clearly did not care. Our pots for plants were all broken and the box they were packed in was completely mangled. My good China had broken items and I could go on and on. This is the absolute worst experience of my life and I will never be able to replace some of our belongings.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

The guys showed up, asked to sign paperwork first thing. I noticed that the price was different than I was originally told. The driver, Sal said "It's ok just sign," I said, "It's not ok because I don't understand this price," he said "We'll figure it out later." They moved their truck across the parking lot and it took about 6 tries to get the truck started. I asked if the truck was going to make it to Kansas City and he laughed. I showed them to my storage unit and he said "We have to charge you $250 cash since it's long distance." I had no idea what he was talking about, but came to understand that since my unit was more than 75 feet from the door they charge a fee.

No one ever explained this to me. They proceeded to load my things, dropping boxes off the truck ramp and nearly tipping my couch upside down. When they finished they asked if I was meeting them there tonight, I said, "No. We had agreed on tomorrow," I don't even get the keys to my apartment until tomorrow. They agreed. When they arrived the next day they told me I owed $1000, I had been told I'd pay $610 at delivery. Sal said "OK I guess we'll have to take your stuff and lock it up if you don't pay." They threatened me! I was like, "I'm sorry but these are the numbers I was given." Sal said "I don't know about that you pay me $1000." He called his "boss" who I talked in circles with until he finally said "Fine don't pay it whatever." This company is a scam. SAVE YOURSELF THE MONEY AND THE STRESS.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

You have 2 choices for a contract: binding and non-binding. The non-binding is an estimate but the actual price is determined by weighing the truck before and after loading. There are horror stories of the estimate being seriously low and actual price being significantly higher. The “binding” is sold as something that is written in stone, but it actually isn’t. That’s what we chose.

With a “binding” contract, there are several ways the price can go up. The operations manager of the moving company can decide at the last minute that the van will not be able to park in front of your house, because the road is too narrow, too busy or some other reason. In that case you have to pay for a shuttle van. When the sales rep came out to our house to make the estimate, he determined that our road was wide enough for the van, which was true because we’d moved into the house with the van parked on the road.

However, the day before the packers were coming, the sales rep told me that the operations manager had determined, just by looking at Google maps, that our road was too narrow and that it would cost $1200 for the shuttle. I tried in vain to contact the operations manager. Fortunately the packers sent word back that the road was fine, so we didn’t have to pay for the shuttle. Get it in writing in your contract that you won’t need a shuttle before you sign it.

The contract gives you a 5-day time frame in which the van will arrive. The fine print says that the company is required to deliver your goods with “reasonable dispatch.” The definition of “reasonable dispatch” in their literature is the 5-day time frame, but this is a blatant lie. I called the federal agency that oversees moving vans, and the legal definition is 21 business days, which is 30 calendar days! Our van showed up 10 calendar days late. This left us in an empty house with a dog for 10 days. Fortunately we have kind neighbors who loaned us stuff, so we were OK.

Your contract gives you $100 per diem, but motels and food cost much more than that. Plan for the worst. Have a contingency plan, pack accordingly and don’t plan anything that can't be canceled for the month after the van is supposed to come. Most of our goods arrived safely, but several pieces of nice furniture were damaged. The movers wrapped them in blankets but didn’t secure the blankets. When you’re talking with the sales rep, ask her about how furniture is wrapped. Some movers use a huge Saran-like wrap to secure the blankets. Make sure you oversee the movers when they're loading the furniture. You'll need at least 2 people there to supervise on the loading and unloading days, and 3 would be even better.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

DO NOT USE UNITED VAN LINES, unless you want to have a really bad experience. At the beginning I felt like I was dealing with professionals, Greg ** came to my apartment to estimate the cost of the moving, he was very nice and knew what he was doing (sell me the service). After a few days I contacted Greg to confirm their service. After that Greg assigned me a coordinator, Pascal **, I was dealing with Pascal now. My "coordinators" should have another title, they were not able to coordinate anything. First was Pascal **, he was so unprofessional and never responded any emails, just one, which was the confirmation of the payment. That’s all! The day of the moving he did not answer my calls, movers were very late and he was not able to give an answer.

Then they assigned me another "coordinator" Dana **, she was nice at the beginning (first 2-3 emails) then she was MIA (missing in action). When I asked about my refund check due to lateness, she couldn't answer and asked another colleague to jump in. Pascal and Dana should have the title of secretary, not even operators because they don't pick up phone calls.

Movers arrived late, about 7-9 hours late, my coordinator was not able to tell me an approximate time of arrival, I spent the whole day waiting. When they arrived, no dollies, no lifting belts, no gloves. No protection at all for the movers, well I don't really care anyways. They took their sweet time moving the boxes, it was just literally boxes, no furniture at all. They moved 1 box at the time and then I checked outside the apartment and they were smoking, sitting on the truck laughing and then I realized that they get pay by the hour, of course! So lazy and unprofessional, what can I expect from them.

Timewise was ok compared when they picked up the items. 1 box was crushed, I asked what happened and the answer was, "I have no idea, I don't know what happened here." My boxes were really thick and I taped everything to death and still they managed to crush a box, honestly the only way to crush that box is with a truck to run over it, but movers had no idea. They just dropped the boxes one after another one, that's all. Of course, they did not care at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Incompetent driver shows up and yells at my wife, fills out his item list and marks every item as soiled and badly damaged. It was nearly brand new furniture. Then refuses to answer his phone to update us on delivery date. He lies to us about the delivery because he failed to maintain the brakes on the rear trailer and everything caught on FIRE! Total loss of every item from our house. Equivalent to your house burning down. We were never given an explanation as to the cause, or as to why he lied. Please! Never use this company!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

From start to finish United was a nightmare. This was a paid corporate move and what I thought should be my easiest move ever. Boy was I wrong! Upon immediately showing up, the movers asked me to leave my apartment and go buy them food, which they did not cover the cost of. They took more than 6 hours to pack a tiny 1 bedroom carriage apartment. They took so long that I had to leave to check into a hotel and come back, and when I did they had the truck mostly loaded. No one told me that I was supposed to count boxes going into the truck. Nor was I informed that the inventory list needed to be more detailed that it was. They forgot some stuff and threw it in the truck last minute, telling me it would all get accounted for.

They took over a month to finally deliver my items, and when they finally arrived, my couch was torn (and I have photos of the sliding it into a splintered wooden crate unwrapped!!). There was also thousands of dollars of stuff missing. They made me wait another 3 weeks before someone came out just to inspect the repairs, then another 4 weeks before they came back out to do a sub par repair on the damaged furniture.

I've now lived in my new city for 3 months waiting for this to be resolved. Now they refuse to pay the claim because the missing items were not detailed on the inventory sheet. I had 2 duvet covers and down comforter go missing, which was labeled "bedding" on inventory, which apparently doesn't count. They did a sloppy job moving, a sloppy job taking inventory, took FOREVER to get my stuff moved, then refused to take responsibility for the missing items. A nightmare from beginning to end... Moving is stressful. United Van Lines makes it hell.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

We recently moved from Minneapolis to Phoenix. We were given a 7 day range for delivery of furniture with the last date of June 25. That day came and went and then we were told that the furniture would be delivered on July 3. We explained that we would not be available on that date and our travel plans had been disclosed during the original estimating and scheduling process. Because we were not available, United did not feel that they owed us any late fees. Beware that if you use this company, be prepared to put your life on hold until they get good and ready to deliver your belongings. They basically hold you hostage. Complaints fell on deaf ears with the attitude of "too bad". So glad that we could go on vacation and save United money!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My last day of delivery was August 1st. I had this timed out so that even if my things were delivered on the last possible day it would be before I started my new job (that I moved across the country for). My agent didn't contact me until August 7th to see if August 10th would work for delivery. I said yes, if after 5pm because I just started my job and didn't have any time off (I didn't feel like I should inconvenience myself even more for the company's failings). She said she would check and get back to me. Of course she didn't and I didn't hear from her again until August 13th when she asked if the 18th would work. It did and my things were delivered that day.

When I asked her about a claim, she said she submitted one on my behalf for $900. I asked why $900 when my items were 17 days late. She said that I "refused delivery" on August 10th, which of course I never did, and so I only got a refund from August 1st through the 10th. Not only did I never refuse delivery, if she would have said that after 5pm wouldn't work on the 10th I could have tried to work it out with my boss, but SHE NEVER CONTACTED ME.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My brand new furniture was broken along with several other items. After giving bad reviews an inspector was sent out and a few of my wooden items repaired. Almost 2 months later no word of any replacement items. I called and spoke to some guy who simply said authorization for repair was given, really? News to me!! Bad news for him, my sofa and loveseat were never even sat on. They were brand new, I want them replace with brand new!! Not repaired garbage!! This company is crap and I will never ever use them or let anyone I know use them!!

Original review: July 24, 2018

My brother had recommended United Van Lines for my move from PA to OR. I should have done more research. They did make the last day of the delivery window but the truck broke down twice on route. I did all my packing myself and used a ton of padding and bubble wrap and all breakables were in sturdy plastic bins and labeled fragile. 20% of my dishes arrived broken included crystal that I had listed on the special high value form. They sent someone to my house who couldn’t believe the extent of the damage. The company refused to pay a penny since I had done the packing myself. In addition 2 containers were lost and an antique armoire was cracked in four places because the driver filled it with plastic bins and moved it off the truck while it was filled with the added weight.

I am still waiting to hear back on my claim for the damaged and lost items. I realize this is a tough industry and mistakes can happen but I am amazed that this company can stay in business by not taking responsibility for their mistakes. The men who picked up my stuff in PA were great and very careful. The most important person is the driver. Because his truck broke down twice, he was very frazzled when he arrived. He hired local young men who unloaded the entire truck to the garage and than moved the contents into the house. They were not paying attention to labels. Some boxes were delivered upside down. Everyone was rushing. The woman checking off the labels had me sign sheets saying everything was delivered.

Later I realized I was missing my computer and three chairs. They came back having found the items on the truck plus three additional bins. 2 bins have never been recovered. So obviously their labeling system doesn’t work well. You may want to keep inventory of everything you pack and take pictures of the contents of each box. I am Single so I was not able to supervise all of the moving activities all at once. The driver was in the phone much of the time and wasn’t supervising either although at one time he saw one of the movers use a box cutter to remove plastic wrap from my couch which is against policy since it can result in slashed furniture. Overall, my main complaint is with the company who is not taking responsibility for broken and damaged items even though I paid for insurance.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I too have had a terrible experience with this company. We asked every few days when our stuff would come after being picked up from our place July 5. We were given a date of July 20 then we were told our stuff would be delivered July 24 (18 days after they picked it up in Atlanta). Then we were told by our contact at 4:50 pm ET that our stuff would be delayed until Aug 7 with no reason given. Then I tried to call her right away and she did not answer. Then I emailed and got an automatic response back saying she would return emails the next morning. So she clearly waited until the very end of the day to deliver the bad news. Now I have no idea where my life's items are or when they will actually be delivered. I worked with Allied in the past and everything went smooth, should have used them again and so should you. These guys suck. And living in Bay Area now that supposed $100 bucks a day compensation is really no help.

Updated on 07/30/2018: Now the stuff showed up early Sunday morning five days late (24 days after they picked it up), meaning I had to get up early on a Sunday ruining my sleep for the whole week only to find a broken dish and FOUR boxes missing, including my expensive clothes. And they have no answer as to where my stuff is. And my $100 dollars a day compensation ends with the incomplete shipment AND I was told the earliest I will have an update as to where my stuff is Thursday (today is Monday). So if this is the No. 1 moving company in the country, I suggest no one leave their things in the hands of ANY moving company. So yes, what I am saying is, they deliver our stuff late, they deliver it incomplete and I receive nothing but a message to wait some more. Unreal. This nightmare is never going to end. And they have my $8000 dollars and will have to get lawyers involved.

Original review: July 19, 2018

LONG-DISTANCE MOVERS BEWARE. I'm giving this a 2-star as most of our item arrived in good condition and we did get some money for the damage/insured ones (not quite as much as we paid for our insurance). However, we feel we were intentionally deceived and had the wool pulled over our eyes.

We moved from Sammamish, WA to Grand Junction, Colorado. We had 3 storage rooms full which needed to be moved into the truck then transported. The EXPERIENCED DRIVER told my husband and me to GO guide the movers regarding the 3 storage rooms. When I came down to talk with the driver he apologized and said they already loaded the whole front of the truck. Never doing a long-distance move I didn't understand the significance of this breach. So, first, he told us to GO and work to guide the movers then knowingly loaded the truck without us there NOR was he responsible to do the inventory himself which HE knew had to be done.

When the truck was fully loaded he wanted me to sign the inventory. However, he numbered the pages as 12 and there were actually 14. So, besides not doing the truck inventory he "neglected" to include 2 full pages of inventory that was documented! Since there are 30 items per page, the two pages he neglected (which could easily be removed from the final inventory) equaled 60 inventoried items. Along with the 60 boxes the whole front of the truck had no inventory. Easily there were easily over 100 items he didn't inventory.

Over a number of weeks as we gradually emptied all of the boxes and found some things were missing (mostly garage tools, large pricey hammock impossible to miss, some house boxes). When we called about the problem we were told it wasn't possible because the truck was empty. The fact of the matter was that many boxes could have been pulled before the truck ever arrived at our home. The driver was very nice, but this felt intentionally orchestrated by him. Since the he knew the rules, I believe this lack of inventory was very intentional and he pulled a number of boxes before we had any delivered. I may be wrong, but I'd not be surprised if he had himself a good garage sale.

We should have stayed and done the inventory ourselves but we trusted the driver and did as he directed. It never dawned on us all this deception was being done right under our noses. IF THIS WAS DONE TO US, I HAVE NO DOUBT IT HAS BEEN DONE TO OTHERS TOO. Bottom-line; they basically said "TOUGH LUCK". They said it was our responsibility stay with the truck and do the full inventory ourselves. It did not matter how the driver had guided us at the time of inventory. So - buyers beware - stay with the truck - supervise the inventory - don't trust the driver's instruction - and don't trust the company to assist in any way.

Original review: July 16, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would! This has by far been the WORST moving experience I have ever had, and I've moved a lot. I've lived in 11 states in the past 11 years and have never had a move so delayed and damaged. They picked up our items June 27 and guaranteed their delivery window between July 5-10th. I called on the July 5th because I hadn't heard of an update of when our items would arrive. Kristen told us our stuff would be loaded on the 6th and they would call us when it was on its way.

On the 6th she called and said the driver canceled and that it wouldn't be loaded onto a truck until the 10th, which is the last day of our guarantee window. Further she said it was going to go further into North GA, away from our TX destination and they to Fort Worth/Dallas to drop off that other load first -- driving right past Austin. THEN, when it's on that truck they call to tell us it's now in South Carolina and it has to go to North Carolina. With no delivery estimate. So, not only is our stuff not coming to us, it's going further away.

Then they tell us it's off that truck and they are searching for another driver. They tell us our stuff will now be loaded on Saturday July 14 and we can expect it Wednesday July 18th. The driver calls Sunday and says they are coming Monday July 16th. Then he gets here on Monday morning and first thing out of his mouth is "I don't have all of your stuff. I told them it wouldn't fit because I had another big job". So 9 of our large boxes were knowingly left behind and no one bothered to tell us until our partial shipment arrived.

THEN, they refuse to accept accountability for it only being a partial shipment. Even though all 9 of those boxes are on the ORIGINAL manifest and all should be arriving together. We have no estimated date for the rest of our items and we've spoken with 4 different people and nothing is remedied. On top of this, multiple boxes were smashed, broken furniture, gouges out of the dresser, handle broke off, drawer shattered, brand new mattress stained down the whole side with something brown. Never trust your items with these people or United Van Lines (these are the people who Suddath were coordinated our move through). You may never get your stuff and when you do it will be beat up and in awful condition. Terrible.

Original review: July 16, 2018

If you book your move with United, you must be aware that their pickup and delivery guarantee means NOTHING! Our items were picked up to be moved by United Van Lines on June 27 from NC to NE. We were guaranteed a 4-10 day delivery window with the last possible date of delivery being July 7th. All communications with United were clear and smooth until the pickup day. After United loaded our items, there was no more communication with them that wasn't initiated by me. It's currently July 10, and we still don't have our items. Since July 5, I have been attempting to contact my representative at United but no one would return my calls or emails. The United website provided us an estimated delivery date of July 7th (and currently states that delivery date). It wasn't until July 9 that I was informed that United will not deliver our items until July 17 (at the earliest).

We were given a guaranteed delivery window that accommodated our schedules (including starting new jobs), which is the main reason for choosing this carrier. However once our items were loaded in NC, I didn't receive any updates or info on the status of our move. I wasn't provided any updates as promised, and now they are informing me that it will be 20 days from pickup before my items and furniture can be delivered. I feel United misled us from the very start. Even though we were guaranteed a delivery window of 4-10 days, we are stuck in Nebraska with nothing! Everything we own is on that moving truck (in the July heat), and United is being indifferent about the fact our items have not been delivered. This is completely unfair, misleading, and deceptive... And $100 per day doesn't come close to making up for the situation we are currently facing because of this delay.

If we would have known from the start that they couldn't deliver our items until July 17, we would have NEVER booked them. United has all of our items and sees no need to honor their initial agreement specified in the Estimate and Bill of Lading. I'm left helpless! I feel as if United baited us into using their services knowing all along that they wouldn't be able to deliver on time. I've tried communicating with corporate office, but they are having no impact on the situation. United simply doesn't care about the well being of their customers or the well being of their personal items. What angers me the most is no one is even acting like our situation is a priority. We are just inanimate objects that they forget about when they leave work and go home... There's no care being given to the fact we are real people with real lives being impacted by this deception. And tossing money at the situation doesn't make it better.

Original review: July 13, 2018

We were reassured repeatedly that any or all concerns that may arise would be handled and to trust them and their many years of experience. So we did. HUGE mistake. A majority of our furniture (about 75%) was damaged - some dropped, some mishandled, some not wrapped properly for transport and therefore damaged, dirty or just broken. Dealing with a claim has been a terrible pain and they have found every possible way out of paying for damaged items. Bottom line: find someone else to trust with your belongings because they don’t care, their movers don’t care and the customer service and claims department do not care either.

Original review: July 12, 2018

My husband and I moved from Tacoma, Washington to Michigan and had our belongings picked up June 7th from our home. We paid over $9,000 to the agreed services of Morgan Transfer (affiliated with United) and trusted their contract and customer reviews to safely and timely deliver our belongings. This was our experience: 1- No communication from the office on the day of when the movers were picking up our belongings. 2- On the day prior to the last day of our delivery window, we were informed our items had not left Washington. It took a total of 18 days to move our belongings from WA to MI. They did reimburse us $500 for the inconvenience, which did not even cover our hotel costs or extra meal costs due to having to eat out everyday.

3- 2 checkbooks were stolen from our file cabinet during the move and two fraudulent checks were made out of my account for a total of $990. Given the large expense to move, out of pocket hotel/food expenses, this was extremely stressful. We called and notified Morgan Transfer of the incident, and received no follow up on the matter. We escalated the issue to United Van Lines corporate team, but have yet to learn of any developments.

4- They lost all of our silverware, which was valued at over $400 and was a wedding gift to us from September. We contacted Dawn 3 times about the check and silverware, and she forwarded the information to the claim department. It's been a week and a half and still no response. A request was also sent in to corporate and denied because of a BS waiver that the driver has you sign when they deliver your items. If you'd like to have the driver and movers stay on your property to check off hundreds of items and boxes (took us almost a week to unpack and to fully realize what was missing) then defiantly make that choice.

We were rushed to sign our paperwork, not properly explained the pages and were told everything was taken care of and to contain the office department with any questions or concerns that come up. We also paid for the insurance of our items - not sure what the insurance was for since they won't actually cover anything. Again, just another way to be taken advantage of.

I could continue on with several damaged items and other missing items (such as our bed screws - so nice to finally get your belongings after such a long wait, but still no functioning bed!). I expected things to be damaged or things to go wrong - it's a big move. I wasn't expecting things to go wrong at this magnitude and for the company to do nothing to help out their customer, besides doing the bare minimum.

So moral of the story, if you like to be stolen from, taken advantage of, and partner with crooks (not to mention pay an arm and a leg for a service) then book Morgan Transfer. We've moved across the country two times before without any issues from Allied. Can't say I'll be trusting any van lines after this experience. I know it's a lot of work, but if you can, consider doing the move yourself. Definitely do not hire Morgan Transfer/United.

Original review: July 2, 2018

United moved me from CA to MO in May 2018. They were 10 days late delivering my household goods and vehicle. They damaged my kitchen table and lost three pieces of stereo equipment. I would definitely not recommend United!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

United Van Lines and their local rep are incompetent. Aaction Movers out of Phoenix is their rep. We contracted with them to move from AZ to GA. All was good when signing up and getting estimate. Then they forgot to book a truck, we are in our home in GA with no goods. They are 2 weeks late and impossible to get responses from, inaccurate information AND contract we signed says COD, we pay upon delivery, cashiers check, certified or check. They are now saying pay before they deliver goods, breaking a contract. Our goods are late, been handled multiple times, we have 0 idea if all are there or how much broken and they want us to pre-pay which is not the contract signed by both. Stay away, buyer beware. This should not be allowed. We have another move ahead of us down the road, United Van Lines is out.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Do not use this company. I was quoted a price and when they came to pick up my items the price was higher, then when they delivered they also increased the price. When we received our item all the boxes that were brand new were crushed, broken dishes and personal item, missing items, they even tried to give us someone else's furniture. They broke our big TV that they boxed. I have filed a claim months ago and have tried to call and email and they will not return my calls.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I have never dealt with what we are dealing with right now. We were given a quote and the quote was great, which is why we chose them. When items were picked up, the form I signed still had the original quote. We were doing a move from TN to Hawaii. There was no communication in between the almost 7 weeks it took to get here. When finally told it was available, we were told we owed double. They had added on to a form after I signed and forged my signature on another form. The movers here they contracted were not happy and they went and got our items for us. United then used our credit info on file and withdrew the entire price (their doubled price) without our approval. We are now seeking a lawyer, especially since documents were forged. Please DO NOT give this company your business.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I wish I could give a zero. I do not know where to begin. I guess the positive is the sales associate, Scott was very nice, informative and seemed to genuinely care. Unfortunately, there was nothing he could do about the blunder that had unfolded. We had to store our belongings for 3 months, therefore, the move out of storage to our new location was where everything went wrong. Let's start with the fact we moved during the slowest moving season and yet our load was divided into two loads. I am not sure how they thought over 9500 pounds was going to fit into 12 feet left on a truck. The agent called and told me that they were going to ship the 2nd load and have it there the same day.

Then the day before arrival they informed me that they changed the plans and my second load would not arrive until over a week later (was not even given an exact date at this time and it was going to be way out of their contracted delivery window). Since I was out of town for work at the time this meant I needed to buy another flight and rent another car to be there for the second move because if I wasn't then I was informed they would charge me over $4000/day for storage. When my first delivery came there was 21 pieces damaged, most were unrepairable. It was obviously negligence that led to this as they tried to cram as much stuff as they could in the 12 feet of the truck. As an example, they snapped a metal coffee table and a solid wood leaf to a dining table. Of course there was no way of knowing what was here and what was not since half my stuff was still to be delivered.

Once the second load arrived it was also noted that two high valued items were missing and supposedly on the first load. It took 2 weeks and a lot of stress to track them down. They were delivered to the wrong people. While they were willing to compensate for the exact value of the damage (not replacement value), there was no reimbursement offered for the delay or the extra costs I had to incur to be there for the second delivery. Not only that, but the aloof attitude of "Sorry, these things happen" was extremely frustrating. When my claim was escalated to United Van Lines the customer service rep there (Diane) was downright rude. Telling me that if I thought for a minute they were going to pay for my flight and rental I was mistaken.

They finally, after many weeks of frustration, agreed as a "Good Will Gesture" to add an additional $400 onto my reimbursement. Mind you this was a very expensive, cross country move. The attitude I was given was not acceptable. These were my possessions that I have worked hard for and the attitude was "Oh Well, it happens". I asked to know that the responsible parties, such as the operations manager that originally okay'd my load to go onto the first truck, were disciplined. I was told by one of their own employees that all this was avoidable, that my stuff should have never went on that first truck in the first place.

How do you damage 21 pieces of furniture and it not be considered grossly negligent. United Van Lines of course is a huge company and obviously protects the individual companies so the individual customer doesn't have a chance to fight them. You are just expected to accept whatever happens and also pay in full for it. They should be ashamed to even call themselves a customer service department. They do not serve the customer. They serve the big company that is untouchable.

Original review: May 1, 2018

NEVER USE THIS MOVING COMPANY!! They are horrible!! From the sales people, to the managers, to their “Customer Service”!! I had Ana as a salesperson, and I told her I was in a tight budget so she gave me a low ball quote with a “300” discount. Little did I know, two days before the move I was told that I need a shuttle on both sides as well as pay for an elevator fee and additional fuel charges that were not charged up front. I never signed my contract, and when I tried to cancel to get my deposit back I was not given my deposit back! They steal your money. Their managers, Kim, Jennifer and Tammy was worst of all, did nothing to help. Someone from their customer service department called me and hung up on me!! Why is that person on your customer service team!!? BEWARE OF THEIR ADDITIONAL COSTS AND RIDICULOUS FEES!! They’re all LIARS AND TAKE YOUR MONEY!!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I feel compelled to share my experience with United Van Lines in hopes that it may serve as a warning to others about using this company. I was making a move with the military and decided to use United Van Lines because they initially offered me a good price of $2980 to move my household goods from Tucson to Colorado Springs. Their initial estimate for my move was for 900Cf at 3.08$ per cubic foot, which seemed reasonable given the amount of furniture I had, which was all in storage and pretty much packed. I emailed their agent (Dominick **) and said I wanted to accept their estimate and move forward with the move. At this point the agent generated a completely new estimate for the move, quoting the same price as before, but estimating the CF as 500 instead of 925, at a price of 3.75$/CF plus a 800$ destination charge.

I quickly emailed him back and told him I was uncomfortable moving forward at that rate because I would certainly have more than 500cf and would likely have closer to the 900CF originally estimated. He assured me it would not be a problem and that the 500cf number was just based on their estimate based on my furniture description in their computer. He told me that it since it was their estimate, the listed price would be the most I would pay, which was still the same as my original quote. Needing to get my moving arrangements in order, I went ahead based on his assurances. This was a big mistake. When moving day came and I had the original 900CF, the movers all of a sudden wanted an extra 1200 in order to do the move, almost 50% more than the original quote!!! This was exactly what I was worried about, and exactly what United Van Line's agent Dominick ** told me I should not be worried about.

Additionally, the movers were unaware that it was a military move, and had failed to get weight tickets for the truck, this being despite my specific request for empty and full weight tickets, and Dominick's assurances that all of their movers would provide me with empty and full weight tickets from the move. If I had not been there personally, I would never have gotten the weight tickets and I would have been out 4000$ in reimbursements from the Army. Overall the whole experience was a disaster. United Van Lines was deceptive, made false assurances to pressure me to make a quick decision in order to lock in their quote price, and seemed very careless regarding the requirements I had for the military move. I would not recommend this company to anyone, especially anyone making a military move.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I'm unhappy with this moving company. They are the most unprofessional people I have dealt with! Everything is unorganized and clearly the coworkers don't speak with one another. Therefore everything just gets confusing and messed up. Also this company fails to apologize for mistakes they have made. They try to make it seem like you are at fault or they try to make excuses! So we found this moving company and the reason we went with them is because they said our total would be 1400. We gave them the measurements and all the items over the phone prior to knowing the price, but I understand it wasn't the exact price and it can fluctuate. The movers were a day late so we had to miss work once again, they came in the apartment and looked at the stuff and said "nope this is going to cost you a lot more."

I thought maybe a couple hundred dollars more, but no they tried charging us 2500! I told them this is not what we discussed on the phone we told you the exact measurements and what we had, the guy kept calling his boss. After them telling us that's the price that they are able to do it for, I told them they can leave because I felt scammed and they were just raising the price on purpose because they think that we are young, stupid and desperate for a moving company. They kept insisting that everywhere else is the same price and kept forcing us to go with them. I'm clearly insulted at this point, I don't like being scammed nor taken as someone who is stupid. Around 30 minutes later they called and said, "Okay we will do it for 2,000". I said, "No I'm not bargaining with you people. I know you are trying to get money out of me." Then they finally went down to around 1600, so I told them, "Okay come back and let's begin this move."

Those movers packed everything very good no complaints there. We even tipped them towards the end. They told us our stuff will be held in storage for a few days and then we will be getting our stuff around November 18th when we as well will be arriving to Las Vegas. We told them the day we needed the stuff there so then when I was in Colorado on November 14th we called to see where the driver was with our stuff. They said our stuff was still in the warehouse! This guy on the phone was trying to blame us and tell us that they are driving we don't have an exact date, whatever he was saying did not make any sense. We said we told them to bring it by the 18th so as a worker shouldn't you and your company figure that out as when to take it out of the warehouse and start driving?

At this point I knew it was going to be a couple days late because it was the 14th. They were at fault on their end and they failed to apologize. If we never called then they most likely would have had our stuff in storage for even longer, this is so unprofessional that they forgot! We finally arrived to our new apartment. The next day we called the driver and asked when will he be here. He told us Tuesday November 21st which means we missed work waiting for them, then they told us Wed November 22, once again we missed work! Now I'm angry because we had people flying in for Thanksgiving and NONE OF OUR THINGS ARE HERE! We had no couches, no bed, and no pots and pans to make any type of food! They ended up coming November 25th! They ruined our Thanksgiving and my family all had to go stay in a hotel because we did not have our blowup beds nor couches for them!

We had to rebuy our expensive pans we already had! Just because they were late, this is not fair we wasted so much money and time, we also had to buy folding chairs for our family to sit on! I want my money back. This is a disgrace. I cannot believe people operate a moving company this way. If I don't get compensation I will contact a lawyer and start a riot against both companies I dealt with. So the reason why this guy was late with our Items was because, he said he was in Texas and will be arriving to Las Vegas on Wed November 22, he never showed because he went to California to drop things off to come to us last! I don't care what route they have to take. EWe said we need our stuff NOVEMBER 18TH and it failed to arrive that day. When we called and complained the guy told us it's not their company's fault, and that we never guarantee a date... Are you kidding me?

Because on our paper it said November 18th. Now I understand a few days late but not a whole week, and I don't accept what he said because the driver passed Las Vegas to go to California first. I don't care if he passed Arizona to go to California we should have been first end of story! So now the movers came, they arrived November 25th. It was just two guys only, and they were angry and trying to charge us more because of the steps, when we SPOKE ON THE PHONE AND CLEARLY SAID WE live on the 3rd floor and we were already charged. His helper was non stop complaining and crying. They both kept taking smoke breaks as well. Why work for this company if you can't finish the job you start? The two were here for over 2 hours! And all I heard from them was non stop complaining and roughly throwing our things in the house!

They damaged our flooring, and the one guy kept yelling in his language to himself. The one guy put the bed together wrong and was angry that he did it wrong, I was scared for my life. I was in the closet cleaning and I hear this guy yelling and throwing stuff around. And kept telling us that is the right way when he clearly knew it was wrong! Then they never screwed on my vanity and they chipped the vanity and chipped the vanity holder. They damaged our bed. It was stained with black lines as well as sticky tape marks that wouldn't come out and also had a little tint of yellow. My little dresser that holds my vanity up was damaged and had some black lining on it as well. My vanity table was completely scraped and scratched.

Also our living room table is for the garbage. It's completely destroyed, the dark-brown wood, the corners are completely destroyed and are peeled and looked tan, and the table has scratches on it, along with my vanity dresser and bed. One more thing that I thought was terrible was that they bring someone else's furniture in our house and we told them it was not ours, and they told us to keep it! I told them, "No you better bring that back to the person that it belongs to." I couldn't believe my ears when they told me to keep it. Also they kept trying to leave. They left without redoing the bed and putting my vanity together and they left without opening my huge mirror! I'm so angry they never completed their job.

We told them to redo the bed from the beginning, and the guy said "yes I will go back to it after." I'm literally so mad because this was not worth 1600, they did a half-ass job! So the one guy went back to the car and my husband told the other guy, "Excuse me you still need to put the vanity together, and redo the bed before you leave, because you drilled it on wrong, and it was upside down, and also take the mirror out of the packaging." The guy said, "Okay I will grab my drill from the truck, my partner did the vanity already." So then the guy left and we were waiting a good 5 minutes. I see my vanity and it is not fixed I go to my husband and ask where are they because they never drilled my vanity back on. COME to realize the workers actually left and are not coming back.

I don't care that we signed saying everything was here. They still had a lot to finish and they kept trying to distract us! We ran outside but their truck was not in sight. They never finished. They lied and said they were going to get the drill from the truck and never came back, as well as never answered his cell phone! This is completely illegal. I asked and paid for certain services to be done and they were not completed! Now me and my husband are driving around the neighborhood trying to find them.

The funny part is they most likely had this planned! They knew very well what was not completed and what needed to be redone, because he told my husband he was coming back, and clearly left on purpose! So the best part of all was not only did we waste money for our items that we needed and our pots and pans for Thanksgiving we had to go spend money on a drill! If this was you, you would want your money back as well. This is unfair and unprofessional. This is the worst moving company ever existed and I suggest you shut it down.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I was warned by another moving company about United Van Lines. I was thinking it was just a scare tactic to get me to go through them instead. BOY was I wrong. I should have listened. Before packing things I felt it odd that he was saying it's going to cost little more but then when he saw I was getting upset that they already gave me a price. He just said, "Oh no. Everything okay." Then after packing my household goods he sat me down to go over the inventory, then "BAM." He explained that it's going to be double the amount I was told from the company. I was a mess. I wanted my stuff unpacked from their truck! I felt like it was a scam like the other company warned me about.

They offered 10% off and have me some line about hassle to load truck, find new movers etc. NOW we sit here at our delivery destination on the right date waiting. We were told if any delays because of weather or delivery they would call. At 1 pm I'm calling wondering where my household good are just to be told it won't be here for another 5 days!!! This company is a scam, I tried asking for the boss or owner and he kept saying he is the boss and there is nothing I can do about it!!! I'm sitting in here with my family in an empty home for another 5 days!!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

The first email they sent said they would refund. The driver left because he could not get ahold of the owner to get a final price. Since he left Wednesday night without taking our stuff and we had to be in NC by Sunday we called and had a pod delivered Thursday morning. I mentioned the binding because it says that if the inventory changes then the prize could change. The inventory was actually less than the binding contract. The booking agent guy Luke said that the prize would only change if we added more items. We didn't add more items.

I recorded the customer service guy Chuck from United saying that for that inventory Luke should have not gave such a low binding estimate. He said since the driver left I would get my money back. I have all that recorded. This was sent on Sept 25th. I have the email where it states the money would be refunded. Then said it would not be refunded because I had to end up using another company because they left me stranded.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

These movers were hired through a broker to move my mother's belongings from her storage and her house after she died. I was quoted $2700.00 for the move by Giselle of Coastal Moving Group. Upon first meeting the movers (Driver and Loader) on 9/30/2017 at the storage location I was leery because of how rude the driver was. Then after partially loading my mother's things the driver said that I was under quoted and it would cost me over $5000.00. I asked him was he trying to scam me at which point he had his partner start to remove the boxes while yelling at me.

In the process the driver dropped a box containing my mother's record collection. I was enraged. My mother had just died and now I am dealing with scam artist at the 13 hour to move her stuff because I needed to get home to my children. So I was forced to agree with the new cost. When they finished loading the storage they went to my mother's house. At her house they hired two guys off the street. One of which you could smell the liquor coming off of him and another that seemed to be high on something. The two newly hired street movers had asked me did I need help and I told them "No I don't. I want the movers that I hired to move the stuff because they are insured". The Driver still hired them and let them move the belongings even though I expressed my concerns.

I emailed the broker twice with pictures of this incident including the original movers picking up the record collection and of the street movers. The street movers dropped boxes as well and the driver told them to be careful. I was livid! I was told that they would escalate the issue to the management team. Never heard from them. I called back on 10/3/2017 and spoke with a gentleman who said he was aware of the situation and the management would reach out to both myself and the movers. STILL NOTHING.

Today 10/8/2017 I got a call from the movers to find out if I was ready for my things to be delivered and that they are still charging me the full balance and that they stand being their drivers and the decisions they make. I was even told that I was lying because the driver said he knew the two guys he hired. But he offered me a $175.00 discount and I was told that in order to get my belongings I needed to give them the full balance prior to the stuff being brought in the house.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I used United Van Lines/Armstrong for a cross country move. My biggest issue was the weight estimate. The weight was taken after the truck was loaded and it was almost 20% overestimated. United refused to refund any money because it was a binding contract. However, this is apparently how they jack the price up, by overestimating. Best if you do not show all items to be boxed to the estimator, if you add furniture they can catch you on that, but the number of boxes is only an estimate anyway. Also, move was sloppy, stickers were falling off so the inventory was not accurate. We still do not know if we got everything. Damage was done to our dining room table when it was put back together. We got a check for that but it won't cover replacing it (and is not replaceable). Damage to our oil paintings, we were told by damage estimator it was from the heat of the moving truck, but United refused to reimburse since they did not pack the paintings.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I thought everything went well for my move from Kansas City to Mesa Az until I had bed beds and bed bugs in my other furniture and boxes since they supplied boxes with handles. Please do not use them as they don't care that I had to pay to have my house exterminate and pay for hotel expensive.

United Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

United Van Lines is a trusted mover that has over 340 agent locations in the United States and also offers international moving services. The company was founded in Cleveland, OH, in 1928.

• Quotes: The company starts by offering you a detailed quote so you are aware of how much your move will cost.

• Unpacking: United Van Lines offers many levels of packing and unpacking that include furniture assembly, disassembly and setting up new offices.

• Pricing: It has fair prices and a number of optional services to keep moves affordable, such as having customers pack the material themselves and extending the delivery dates so that they can bulk your move in with other customers.

• Protection plans: The company offers many protection plans in order to ensure that your belongings arrive safe and are insured against damage.

• Auto transport: Car transport is provided on United Van fleets so you don't have to drive your car yourself or add extra miles to it.

• Best for: Individuals, households and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs