Find a Movers partner

3.9/5 (774 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

Cons

• Can be pricier than competitors

Bottom Line

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

Top United Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up … The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also ...

Verified

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process ... After everything was done not a scratch on anyt...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines is a large moving company that offers local, long-distance, cross-country and international moving services. Each move comes with loading and unloading, online tracking and full valuation coverage. The inclusion of full valuation coverage with every move is a standout feature. You can take advantage of a wide range of additional services to make your move as effortless as possible.

United Van Lines cost

The average apartment move with United Van Lines costs about $4,000, while the average household move costs approximately $7,750. Local moves are cheaper — about $2,250 for a large move with packing services. Costs for moving vary based on the time of year, the weight of transported possessions, additional moving services selected and the moving distance.

Some companies give a rough estimate of moving costs after you submit basic information, but United Van Lines prefers to perform a more thorough in-home estimate before giving a quote. The quote the company gives after your in-home inspection remains the same unless you move more items than expected.

Estimated United Van Lines long-distance moving costs

Apartment sizeWithout packingWith packing
    One-bedroom$2,100$2,700
    Two-bedroom$3,500$4,700
    Three-bedroom$4,300$6,200

United Van Lines moving services

United Van Lines has a variety of free and paid moving services. Free services from United Van Lines include:

• In-home estimate: An in-home estimate is required before a move and is the only way to get an accurate quote.
    • Loading and unloading: As part of its services, United loads and unloads everything to and from its truck.
    • Shipment tracking: Track the location of your move using United’s online shipment tracker.
    • Online moving resources: Consult United’s website for a moving checklist and to see frequently asked questions.
    • Full value protection: This coverage offers $6 per pound for damaged or lost goods — significantly better than traditional coverage of $0.60 per pound.

Paid services from United Van Lines include:

• Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing and unpacking, partial packing or a customized plan.
    • Long- and short-term storage: If move-in and move-out dates don’t line up, temporary storage for possessions is an option. United can help arrange this.
    • Auto shipping: Moving a car? United partners with auto transport companies to ship vehicles.
    • Trash and debris pickup: United picks up leftover boxes and packing materials after your move.
    • Cleaning services: The company hires cleaners to make sure the move-out location is spotless.

United Van Lines FAQ

What packing services does United Van Lines offer?
    United Van Lines offers a few different packing options:
    • Full-service: United packs everything.
    • DIY: You pack your belongings, but United wraps furniture and loads and unloads it.
    • Custom crating: United packs fragile or antique items.
    • Customized packing: United works with you to develop the right packing plan.
    Can United Van Lines move my car?
    Yes, United Van Lines works with auto transporters that move vehicles.
    How can I submit a claim with United?
    To submit a claim, call United directly or submit the claim on its website.
    Does United offer cleaning services?
    Yes, United can hire cleaners to tidy up your move-out location. It offers services such as debris pickup and trash removal.

Is United Van Lines worth it?

United Van Lines is a great choice if you’re looking for a move that requires minimal effort on your part and are willing to pay a bit extra. We like that United is upfront with most of its pricing. We also like that United includes full valuation coverage to ensure fair reimbursement for lost or damaged items. Overall, United Van Lines is a solid option for those wanting an easy, secure move.

United Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

We chose this moving company among 3 businesses that we had received quotes from based on cost and other reviews. When discussing terms, we were made believe that our property was covered for damages and we were not offered any additional coverage or insurance. When our items were delivered after they had been in the moving company's storage facility for about a month, there were moths in a rug and a lamp shade was broken. I claimed these damages still believing that I would be reimbursed for the cost of replacing these items costing approximately $1500.

When I received a check I could not believe it. It was in the amount of $15! It turns out my items were not actually covered. I was reimbursed for only 60 cents per pound of damaged item. I want everyone to know that United Van Lines will try to underbid other companies making you believe that your property is covered for damages. In the end, I have to be thankful that I "only" suffered $1500 in damages. I do not even want to imagine a situation, in which all items would have been damaged or lost!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2022

I have made 3 moves (interstate and intrastate) in the past with United Van Lines (UVL) /Mayflower (a subsidiary company) and had always been pleased with their service. In October 2021 when I decided to move from South CA to Montana, I called UVL. However, when I called the number for UVL on 10/26/2021, Leo from Nationwide moving services (NMS) somehow intercepted my call. He did not identify the company he was with, just stating “Moving Company, how may I help you”. NMS had obtained the exact address UVL moved me from Colorado to Vista, CA which was my last move with UVL.

Given that he had detailed info of my 2018 move, I had no reason to doubt that I was talking to UVL. I was rushed through checking the listed inventory, the estimated cost of the move ,and the signing of the contract online, collecting my deposit of $1504.67. Assuming I was dealing with UVL, I felt comfortable signing the contract immediately and paying the deposit. 4 days later when I printed out the contract and realized my mistake, I contacted NMS but was unable to cancel the contract.

I contacted UVL customer care on 12/8/2021 and spoke with Bob re this incident and my concerns with breach of my privacy. He stated there had been similar complaints. He took my info and stated the legal department will get in touch with me, but to date no one has contacted me. On 12/15/2021, I contacted integritymatters@unigroupinc.com (I assume the parent organization for UVL/Mayflower?) and filed a complaint regarding my concerns for breach of privacy. I was given a case number and told someone will contact me, but to date I have not heard from anyone. I did not at any time authorize any company to give/sell my personal info to moving companies, brokers etc. So how did NMS obtain detailed information of my move with UVL? Since I have not heard from UVL regarding my concerns/complaints, I have to assume UVL does not care about the breach of privacy, the interception of the phone call, or offer any protection to its customers.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

Diggins and Rose has failed to meet the expectations laid out in the Bill of Lading. They packed and collected my items on November 23, 2020 and have now transferred them off from the storage container into their Diggins and Rose storage warehouse without my knowledge or permission. They have failed to meet the December 13th, 2020 deadline that was laid out in the bill of lading, then ceased contact from about December 18th, 2020 until January 7th, 2022. During the few times of contact with staff, they have forgotten about my move, as evidence by statement from Laura, their move coordinator, "I thought everything was delivered".

Additionally they have refused to give me a deadline or timeline of delivery, and state they do not have any movers to move my property. However, in the same breath, they also state their drivers are busy with other moves. They have also not started a delay claim as I am entitled to in contractual agreement. I am also now unable to access/download my bill of lading or estimate from their website. During this time without my property, I have had to repurchase a plethora of items (already owned and held at hostage) due to this delay and to continue my daily living. As of this day of complaint, my property continue to be held hostage without a projected delivery date and company has been neglectful informing me of any updates.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

When I first called and got a quote to move, the agent said it would be no problem to move my piano and get it up some stairs. It came to moving day, the driver had no knowledge of having to move my baby grand let alone get it upstairs. Before he got to my new residence, he tried to find someone to help with the piano but came up with no one. The two gentlemen that showed to help to unpack the truck had no knowledge of moving a piano. They tried three times to get it up the stairs but was unsuccessful. It sat in the garage for three weeks before it was moved. The company representative had found a professional piano mover and asked me to pay half. With the prospects of my piano sitting out in the garage longer I agreed to pay half.

When it was moved by the professional piano movers several spots were damaged-the keyboard lid had to be glued back together, rub spots on the finish, a piece of veneer off the front, and some wood shaved off in a couple of spots-all of which were repaired by a repairman. United did reimburse me for the repairs. Moral of the story--they can not move a piano.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

They were supposed to deliver between 8 and 10 a.m. At 10:10 a.m., when they hadn't arrived, I called the driver, who said, "We're almost loaded and then we have to get something to eat, then we'll be there." Why? Eat before you're supposed to be there--or after--I don't care, but why make me wait? I've already been waiting for over a week (not their fault).

When they got to my new house, they arrived not in the 53' trailer and truck my stuff was loaded into but in a U-Haul truck. I could see that furniture wasn't protected, that stuff was crammed in there. The driver, who was a nice man, said that our stuff was off-loaded into storage and that that morning the two of them had loaded it into the U-Haul. They damaged two nice pieces of furniture, one of them a family table passed down from another generation, and damaged my BBQ by crushing in the front of it and mangling the metal back brace. They allowed a white-painted chair to put a white scratch all across the seat back of a blue Adirondack chair and broke the leg off a small bench and lost the bolt to it.

There should've been more than two men moving some of this stuff. I thought they were going to dump my piano down the hill. It was precarious and needed more than two men. It took four to get it on the truck at the origin. The second man was in bad sorts the whole time. He did not want to be there and was testy a couple of times. We all go through stuff, but I didn't need his; I have my own stuff to deal with.

I think this is a good company. I think I was unlucky. Someone screwed up, but, after spending 90 minutes photographing all the damaged items and forwarding them with a completed claim form, I decided to call the company. Jessica was excellent on the phone and said she'd pass along our experience. She represented her company very professionally.

Today is 11-02-2021, and I'm adding to my review from a few days ago. I've since discovered items missing and my couch and love seat were damaged. The wood was chipped and scratched. The couch had a wooden decorative frame across the top where they broke off a big chunk and then someone just glued it back. Found a glass frame on a large painting broken, too. I no longer think this is a good company. A good company would tell you they damaged something so bad that they tried to glue it. No one said a word. All you folks giving them five stars . . .you should thank YOUR lucky stars you had a good experience. Because it's a crap shoot with Armstrong Relocation.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

BAIT AND SWITCH—of course very nice, reachable and helpful before receiving the deposit; however, afterwards, the real service begins. I was told my shipment would arrive within 3 days because they have a facility in the city I moved to which is also why I could get a better rate. Afterwards, I was told I wouldn’t receive my shipment for at least 21 days. Additionally, a lot of the items I asked to add to my shipping list were not included on the list when the movers arrived and in order to include them an additional $1,300 would be added to the fee. I tried calling several times during the move and every call went to voicemail. In the end, they get their money and I’m left with having to move the remainder of my items. It would have been cheaper for me to buy new items than to pay these prices for moving and shipping.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

We moved from our place into a hotel for a month before our new home was ready. The movers that packed and moved our stuff would be the same movers that would come back and drop our stuff off. To start off they stole a brand new prescription bottle of **. We didn’t want to call them out on it because we still had them another day and a half of packing up our stuff and a month later to unpack our stuff and we were concerned that they would trash our things if we complained or confronted. Most of personal things were packed in boxes. There were TVs- garage stuff- beds - a few things in closet. I had stuff set aside that I asked them not to pack- which got packed up. They put garage stuff mixed w sheets, towels, and things I asked and set aside not to be packed. So may broken things.

They used a whole box w tons of paper to wrap things that would never break like a foam finger used at football games while an old crystal ashtray they barely wrapped and was broke. They also left behind a ton of stuff like wheel barrel, shovels, rakes, hoses, an array of stuff that we had 1 day to find someone able to move on a Sunday and drive 3 hours away. We ended up paying 500 to someone to rent a trailer to move and store our stuff. They didn’t pack up games consoles w the correct controllers or controllers at all, the cords that went w our TVs and consoles were in boxes w our closet clothes, remotes for TVs I found on counter, bed parts for our adjustable bed we still have not found.

Every time I unpacked a box I would be so upset. They threw everything together and you either couldn’t read the writing on box or there was not any writing. The one guy brought along a speaker with him and he attached to his body somehow and turned it up so loud I could not think. They were so unprofessional and unorganized.

We are a middle class family. Family of 4. Our house is middle class. Not over the top things. The price was astronomical. Like I said I had a lot of our things packed already. They made a big deal about a chandelier- broken. They wanted to pack it we couldn’t pack it. Broke. I’m done calling them because I am so overwhelmed w everything I just can’t deal anymore. Do not use this company if you like things organized, clean, done in a matter that you can understand. They stole a script out of our home. It was a huge let down and for 16000 there is no reason for the way things turned out. They came in and made a mess. No respect at all. If you value your things pass on this company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

DO NOT USE THESE MOVERS!! United Van Lines/Aaction movers!! First our agent told us our belongings would go into a 7x7x7 container and we should need 2 and quoted us a price. The containers came on moving day that were 7x4! Thinking we would need to pay extra for a third container was very upsetting, not to mention one of the containers which was made from plywood had huge gaping holes!!! The agent came to our home and promised our belonging would fit and promised to exchange the container to another once back at the warehouse and would email us proof (he did not).

My concern with the 2 containers being 7ft high but only 4ft in width, my boxes would be smashed and items broken. He promised the moving men were professionals and knew what they were doing and would box everything into the container safely. I was hesitant and reluctantly agreed because we had a flight to catch and obviously couldn't stay in our home. We waited 2 weeks and got a call at 7pm our belonging were going to be delivered the next day between 9-11am. They lost our phone number and emailed us to call as they couldn't get a hold of us. Wow. So now we started to worry what did we do? The driver came in a box truck (not a flat bed with our containers) and was very nice but immediately told us before he started that most of our boxes were damaged and a lot of our belongings were broken!

We immediately texted our agent MICHAEL ** from AACTION MOVERS in Las Vegas and he basically told us through text it was NOT his problem and to call the office! He didn't have the decency to call and say, "What happened?" "How can I help?" or "I'll call the office for you and make this right". Nope. NOTHING!! He left the number to the office. We called and the guy who answered asked what was wrong and then transferred me to another person, when he finally answered it was like pulling teeth to get him to talk or ask me about what was going on. When I finally started to tell him, the finger pointing started between him blaming the warehouse where our belongings were delivered to before shipped to us. He put me in the middle of the blame game and wanted to pass the buck.

The driver told me they could hear how broken our things were in the containers and had to take photos to protect themselves and said that the containers were loaded improperly back in Las Vegas and by the time they got to NJ it was a mess, so they had to unpack everything and move it into a box truck! Our items are going into storage temporarily but they want me to file a claim, fill out all the paperwork, take photos and itemize what is broken! How am I supposed to do all that at a storage unit in the middle of winter and repack all of my things (what's left of them anyway!).

I hung up on the man because I should not have been in the middle of the contractor and subcontractor's blame game. They seemed not concerned on how to make this right and to keep me satisfied and they did not make an effort to call back to correct THEIR MISTAKE!! I did not pay them. Why would I?? I don't want anything for free and if they want to get paid and make this right they will contact me properly and FIX what is BROKEN!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

This company moved an entire house of belongings from New England to Florida. I packed my belongings VERY carefully, using blankets and bubble wrap and lots of padding. When I received my belongings, many of the boxes were destroyed, thousands of dollars worth of damage. Even a patio table that THEIR laborers loaded was squashed because they piled hundreds of pounds of items on top of it.

We took pictures of everything, tried to find receipts for what we could, tried to fix what we could, and went to UVL for reimbursement (since they said they were fully insured). They said we needed the original boxes and all the broken items in the exact way they arrived. Pictures would not suffice. Who keeps moving boxes and just leaves all their things shattered and broken? We took photos. They offered us $500 for almost $3,000 in damaged items. They chipped our bed frame in TWO places, which now looks terrible, and the bed frame was part of a set that cost $5,000. $500 for $3,000 worth of damage because we didn’t save the boxes and leave all of our broken, shattered, and squished, items in that condition. NEVER AGAIN, and I highly suggest that if you value your belongings, you don’t use this moving company either!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Do NOT use United Van Lines to move. They are not reliable. They will broker your move to a another company that you have no choice in. The Local company that ended up moving me was Velocity Movers, which was and was a HORRIBLE experience. The Movers showed up dead tired from moving someone else the day before. They were EXTREMELY slow and inefficient causing me to have to completely reschedule my plans. When they finally did finish loading my belongings at 11PM they told me I would have to pay $1200 additional money (cash) or they would start unloading their truck and leave my belongings on the sidewalk. This happened despite having a exact and detailed inventory of every item that was to be moved. They know they have you at that point and it's either pay them or they will leave your stuff exposed outside..

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

United Van Lines Company Information