2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.90/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

BOTTOM LINE

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

PROS

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

CONS

• Can be pricier than competitors

Top United Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up … The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also kind and efficient … I would definitely recommend this company to others.

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process ... After everything was done not a scratch on anything and nothing missing or broke. Bravo.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines is a large moving company that offers local, long-distance, cross-country and international moving services. Each move comes with loading and unloading, online tracking and full valuation coverage. The inclusion of full valuation coverage with every move is a standout feature. You can take advantage of a wide range of additional services to make your move as effortless as possible.

United Van Lines cost

The average apartment move with United Van Lines costs about $4,000, while the average household move costs approximately $7,750. Local moves are cheaper — about $2,250 for a large move with packing services. Costs for moving vary based on the time of year, the weight of transported possessions, additional moving services selected and the moving distance.

Some companies give a rough estimate of moving costs after you submit basic information, but United Van Lines prefers to perform a more thorough in-home estimate before giving a quote. The quote the company gives after your in-home inspection remains the same unless you move more items than expected.

Estimated United Van Lines long-distance moving costs

Apartment sizeWithout packingWith packing
      One-bedroom$2,100$2,700
      Two-bedroom$3,500$4,700
      Three-bedroom$4,300$6,200

United Van Lines moving services

United Van Lines has a variety of free and paid moving services. Free services from United Van Lines include:

• In-home estimate: An in-home estimate is required before a move and is the only way to get an accurate quote.
      • Loading and unloading: As part of its services, United loads and unloads everything to and from its truck.
      • Shipment tracking: Track the location of your move using United’s online shipment tracker.
      • Online moving resources: Consult United’s website for a moving checklist and to see frequently asked questions.
      • Full value protection: This coverage offers $6 per pound for damaged or lost goods — significantly better than traditional coverage of $0.60 per pound.

Paid services from United Van Lines include:

• Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing and unpacking, partial packing or a customized plan.
      • Long- and short-term storage: If move-in and move-out dates don’t line up, temporary storage for possessions is an option. United can help arrange this.
      • Auto shipping: Moving a car? United partners with auto transport companies to ship vehicles.
      • Trash and debris pickup: United picks up leftover boxes and packing materials after your move.
      • Cleaning services: The company hires cleaners to make sure the move-out location is spotless.

United Van Lines FAQ

What packing services does United Van Lines offer?
      United Van Lines offers a few different packing options:
      • Full-service: United packs everything.
      • DIY: You pack your belongings, but United wraps furniture and loads and unloads it.
      • Custom crating: United packs fragile or antique items.
      • Customized packing: United works with you to develop the right packing plan.
      Can United Van Lines move my car?
      Yes, United Van Lines works with auto transporters that move vehicles.
      How can I submit a claim with United?
      To submit a claim, call United directly or submit the claim on its website.
      Does United offer cleaning services?
      Yes, United can hire cleaners to tidy up your move-out location. It offers services such as debris pickup and trash removal.

Is United Van Lines worth it?

United Van Lines is a great choice if you’re looking for a move that requires minimal effort on your part and are willing to pay a bit extra. We like that United is upfront with most of its pricing. We also like that United includes full valuation coverage to ensure fair reimbursement for lost or damaged items. Overall, United Van Lines is a solid option for those wanting an easy, secure move.

United Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Service good, communication was excellent, they came when said. My biggest problem, china cabinet they disassembled but did not want to put glass shelves in again, I was arguing with them, and had to find a company in my new location to assemble it and fix it, thought that they were in different.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

My cousin works for them and I hired his services which were top notch! They were professional at what they were doing. My furniture was moved with extra care because of my tea cup collection and crystal. I would recommend again!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Super friendly, great rates and above average service, could not be more happy with this move! Arrived on time, handled everything with care, no issues whatsoever! Checked several companies, prices, reviews, etc -glad we chose this one!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

They packed EVERYTHING carefully and were fun to have around. We were moving from CA to TX and everything arrived in one piece and as it was packed. The driver was easy to communicate with and kept us updated.

Original review: April 26, 2020

Just finished a cross country relocation with United Van Lines and S&M movers. I couldn't have been more pleased. They did an in house inventory and were upfront and honest from start to finish. Furniture was packed/unpacked professionally and conscientiously. Everything arrived in separate containers exactly when they said it would. Moving is neither easy nor inexpensive, but the bottom line is that when I do it again, I will make the same call. A special shout out to Denise ** and Mike **. You guys were great! Thank you so much.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

This company is so great. Listen customer and try to pleasure us. It's very fast to understand customer. It company is very well and it's a very good company. Good service, good customer service.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Excellent moving service. Very minor damage to household goods. Movers were friendly and very professional. Definitely recommend to others. Packers were thorough and very attentive to our goods. Packing was done in two days.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Very bad experience with Schaap movers in Albany NY area. No communication during move and was overcharged for use of an extra moving crate that became necessary due to their poor packing. No one followed up with me when I made inquiries- had to call national office to get any type of response. Would not recommend Schaap.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I called this company due to the fact that my family and I were moving to a new home from a rental house. It was only 19 miles between the two homes. When they called me back to give me a quote I could not believe how much they wanted. I would not recommend this moving company to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

The movers in NYC used many empty boxes to fill spaces and force my belongings into three crates. The Austin movers said that my stuff would have easily fit into two boxes, and the movers in NYC suggested the same (they load from the truck into crates at a separate location). I received a small courtesy credit from Clancy/United, but was not reimbursed for the third crate (which cost ~$1k). I was not impressed with the dishonesty shown by the movers hired in NYC and Clancy/United not reimbursing me for the third crate.

United Van Lines Company Information