2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.93/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

BOTTOM LINE

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

PROS

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

CONS

• Can be pricier than competitors

Top United Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up … The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also kind and efficient … I would definitely recommend this company to others.

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process ... After everything was done not a scratch on anything and nothing missing or broke. Bravo.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines is a large moving company that offers local, long-distance, cross-country and international moving services. Each move comes with loading and unloading, online tracking and full valuation coverage. The inclusion of full valuation coverage with every move is a standout feature. You can take advantage of a wide range of additional services to make your move as effortless as possible.

United Van Lines cost

The average apartment move with United Van Lines costs about $4,000, while the average household move costs approximately $7,750. Local moves are cheaper — about $2,250 for a large move with packing services. Costs for moving vary based on the time of year, the weight of transported possessions, additional moving services selected and the moving distance.

Some companies give a rough estimate of moving costs after you submit basic information, but United Van Lines prefers to perform a more thorough in-home estimate before giving a quote. The quote the company gives after your in-home inspection remains the same unless you move more items than expected.

Estimated United Van Lines long-distance moving costs

Apartment sizeWithout packingWith packing
      One-bedroom$2,100$2,700
      Two-bedroom$3,500$4,700
      Three-bedroom$4,300$6,200

United Van Lines moving services

United Van Lines has a variety of free and paid moving services. Free services from United Van Lines include:

• In-home estimate: An in-home estimate is required before a move and is the only way to get an accurate quote.
      • Loading and unloading: As part of its services, United loads and unloads everything to and from its truck.
      • Shipment tracking: Track the location of your move using United’s online shipment tracker.
      • Online moving resources: Consult United’s website for a moving checklist and to see frequently asked questions.
      • Full value protection: This coverage offers $6 per pound for damaged or lost goods — significantly better than traditional coverage of $0.60 per pound.

Paid services from United Van Lines include:

• Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing and unpacking, partial packing or a customized plan.
      • Long- and short-term storage: If move-in and move-out dates don’t line up, temporary storage for possessions is an option. United can help arrange this.
      • Auto shipping: Moving a car? United partners with auto transport companies to ship vehicles.
      • Trash and debris pickup: United picks up leftover boxes and packing materials after your move.
      • Cleaning services: The company hires cleaners to make sure the move-out location is spotless.

United Van Lines FAQ

What packing services does United Van Lines offer?
      United Van Lines offers a few different packing options:
      • Full-service: United packs everything.
      • DIY: You pack your belongings, but United wraps furniture and loads and unloads it.
      • Custom crating: United packs fragile or antique items.
      • Customized packing: United works with you to develop the right packing plan.
      Can United Van Lines move my car?
      Yes, United Van Lines works with auto transporters that move vehicles.
      How can I submit a claim with United?
      To submit a claim, call United directly or submit the claim on its website.
      Does United offer cleaning services?
      Yes, United can hire cleaners to tidy up your move-out location. It offers services such as debris pickup and trash removal.

Is United Van Lines worth it?

United Van Lines is a great choice if you’re looking for a move that requires minimal effort on your part and are willing to pay a bit extra. We like that United is upfront with most of its pricing. We also like that United includes full valuation coverage to ensure fair reimbursement for lost or damaged items. Overall, United Van Lines is a solid option for those wanting an easy, secure move.

United Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Service good, communication was excellent, they came when said. My biggest problem, china cabinet they disassembled but did not want to put glass shelves in again, I was arguing with them, and had to find a company in my new location to assemble it and fix it, thought that they were in different.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

My cousin works for them and I hired his services which were top notch! They were professional at what they were doing. My furniture was moved with extra care because of my tea cup collection and crystal. I would recommend again!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Super friendly, great rates and above average service, could not be more happy with this move! Arrived on time, handled everything with care, no issues whatsoever! Checked several companies, prices, reviews, etc -glad we chose this one!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

They packed EVERYTHING carefully and were fun to have around. We were moving from CA to TX and everything arrived in one piece and as it was packed. The driver was easy to communicate with and kept us updated.

Original review: April 26, 2020

Just finished a cross country relocation with United Van Lines and S&M movers. I couldn't have been more pleased. They did an in house inventory and were upfront and honest from start to finish. Furniture was packed/unpacked professionally and conscientiously. Everything arrived in separate containers exactly when they said it would. Moving is neither easy nor inexpensive, but the bottom line is that when I do it again, I will make the same call. A special shout out to Denise ** and Mike **. You guys were great! Thank you so much.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

We moved from FL to TX via our company, this company was contracted to move us, we are finding multiple high value items destroyed. The packers were kids and did not care, they placed heavy items in with fragile items and collectables. Multiple items were advised as high value and were not separated for safety. They packed a jar mayonnaise to be shipped across multiple states, they packed trash - literally trash, useless!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

My shipment was damaged in many ways - 7 pieces of furniture were seriously damaged and needing repair. Boxes were put upside down even when marked. Boxes were smashed. Many antique and heirloom items were broken beyond repair. When the driver delivers the items, he wants out of the home or storage unit as fast as possible so it does not allow for inspection of items. Some items were broken, as if the box was dropped, but unless you opened it, you wouldn't know. Now they refuse to reimburse due to their partner driving the second leg of the move. Horrible service. The office staff is kind, however.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

We used United Van Lines to move from Seattle to Colorado. We had some pieces of art, a mirror and two custom lamps crated. United outsourced the crating to a company called CMS. When our shipment arrived in Colorado one of our lamps was broken. As if that wasn’t disappointing enough, the crate person had a total meltdown in our drive way, screaming about killing his boss, throwing pieces of wood and nails from the crate all over the street, swinging a hammer around hitting our garage and the other crates, and using all kinds of foul language...enough of a scene that our neighbors came out to see if we or he needed something. I have no idea what set him off, he saw the lamp was broken, called his boss and the next thing we knew all hell was breaking loose. It was awful.

Now in the three months since then, they have not addressed this with their vendor, just continued to say it was outsourced, and for my lamp, they are claiming they found a replacement, which I can’t see before they take away mine. I’m ultimately going to just take a settlement, but that amount is less then what I paid for crating...crating which was clearly not worth what we paid. Don’t trust this company with your belongings or your safety based on who they decide to outsource to. It is the first time we’ve used United, all our other moves and we’ve done several have been with Allied. That is a great experience.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I used United Van Lines to move my furnishings from Denver to Florida. I had full replacement insurance on our belongings. United was 3 days late in delivering the items. In addition, they broke our dining room furniture, loss a box of expensive woman's designer clothing and stole our ladder which they used to unpack the truck. I filed a claim and they sent someone to the house to repair the dining room furniture and they could not fix it since it was badly damaged in the move.

Three and a half months later they still have not reimbursed me for the dining room set, lost clothes and stolen ladder and I am on the hook for $7,000 with my credit card company. Their claims department does not return calls or emails. I would suggest everyone use someone other than United Van Lines for their move.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2020

I moved my entire household from New York to Nevada. I had insured my belongings for $60,000. I had specifically marked the boxes as do not stack/Frail. When the boxes arrived there were 5 high stacked and damaged. I file a claim with United Van Lines about the damages which included a top to bottom cracked TV/Entertainment center, Silver trays, China, etc. The total claim was for $1,650 and send me a check for $199 claiming the damage to furniture was due to Climate change! with no actual facts to back up this ridiculous claim. They also deny the damages to silverware as they claim the boxes were not visibly damaged.

I made several phone calls to them about the damages and they are accusing me of lying. The service and customer service is appalling. I would like United Van lines to compensate me for the damages and stop insulting me. I should also note that I Paid over $13,000 for the move to United Van Lines. The delivery was made by a partner company Mayflower and the delivery people refused to wear a mask during the delivery of my belongings to my house.

United Van Lines Company Information