Find a Movers partner

3.9/5 (655 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

Cons

• Can be pricier than competitors

Bottom Line

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

Top United Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up … The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also ...

Verified

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process ... After everything was done not a scratch on anyt...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines is a large moving company that offers local, long-distance, cross-country and international moving services. Each move comes with loading and unloading, online tracking and full valuation coverage. The inclusion of full valuation coverage with every move is a standout feature. You can take advantage of a wide range of additional services to make your move as effortless as possible.

United Van Lines cost

The average apartment move with United Van Lines costs about $4,000, while the average household move costs approximately $7,750. Local moves are cheaper — about $2,250 for a large move with packing services. Costs for moving vary based on the time of year, the weight of transported possessions, additional moving services selected and the moving distance.

Some companies give a rough estimate of moving costs after you submit basic information, but United Van Lines prefers to perform a more thorough in-home estimate before giving a quote. The quote the company gives after your in-home inspection remains the same unless you move more items than expected.

Estimated United Van Lines long-distance moving costs

Apartment sizeWithout packingWith packing
    One-bedroom$2,100$2,700
    Two-bedroom$3,500$4,700
    Three-bedroom$4,300$6,200

United Van Lines moving services

United Van Lines has a variety of free and paid moving services. Free services from United Van Lines include:

• In-home estimate: An in-home estimate is required before a move and is the only way to get an accurate quote.
    • Loading and unloading: As part of its services, United loads and unloads everything to and from its truck.
    • Shipment tracking: Track the location of your move using United’s online shipment tracker.
    • Online moving resources: Consult United’s website for a moving checklist and to see frequently asked questions.
    • Full value protection: This coverage offers $6 per pound for damaged or lost goods — significantly better than traditional coverage of $0.60 per pound.

Paid services from United Van Lines include:

• Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing and unpacking, partial packing or a customized plan.
    • Long- and short-term storage: If move-in and move-out dates don’t line up, temporary storage for possessions is an option. United can help arrange this.
    • Auto shipping: Moving a car? United partners with auto transport companies to ship vehicles.
    • Trash and debris pickup: United picks up leftover boxes and packing materials after your move.
    • Cleaning services: The company hires cleaners to make sure the move-out location is spotless.

United Van Lines FAQ

What packing services does United Van Lines offer?
    United Van Lines offers a few different packing options:
    • Full-service: United packs everything.
    • DIY: You pack your belongings, but United wraps furniture and loads and unloads it.
    • Custom crating: United packs fragile or antique items.
    • Customized packing: United works with you to develop the right packing plan.
    Can United Van Lines move my car?
    Yes, United Van Lines works with auto transporters that move vehicles.
    How can I submit a claim with United?
    To submit a claim, call United directly or submit the claim on its website.
    Does United offer cleaning services?
    Yes, United can hire cleaners to tidy up your move-out location. It offers services such as debris pickup and trash removal.

Is United Van Lines worth it?

United Van Lines is a great choice if you’re looking for a move that requires minimal effort on your part and are willing to pay a bit extra. We like that United is upfront with most of its pricing. We also like that United includes full valuation coverage to ensure fair reimbursement for lost or damaged items. Overall, United Van Lines is a solid option for those wanting an easy, secure move.

United Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: April 29, 2021

Moved twice with them. Never anything missing or broken. They were very polite and clean and packed very carefully (as if it were their own items). I haven't always had such positive experiences and have moved a great deal due to corporate relocations.

Original review: April 15, 2021

I had all of my stuff already packed in boxes ready to be loaded on their trucks to save the expense of them packing. My household goods was picked up on a Thursday in Ca. And then deliver before I was ready the following Mon in WY. I never got a chance to have my flooring done prior to all the furniture being moved in. The guys were all great. They worked quickly and put the furniture directly in the rooms I had specified.. Every box I packed was right there on the truck with no problems.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Service good, communication was excellent, they came when said. My biggest problem, china cabinet they disassembled but did not want to put glass shelves in again, I was arguing with them, and had to find a company in my new location to assemble it and fix it, thought that they were in different.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

My cousin works for them and I hired his services which were top notch! They were professional at what they were doing. My furniture was moved with extra care because of my tea cup collection and crystal. I would recommend again!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

They packed EVERYTHING carefully and were fun to have around. We were moving from CA to TX and everything arrived in one piece and as it was packed. The driver was easy to communicate with and kept us updated.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Paid for 1000 cubic ft. When they picked it up they told my daughter that there were 600 cubic feet and she owed 400 dollars more. Not knowing she paid it. I was told last Friday that I would have to wait and they would call me next week. Tomorrow is next Friday and still no word. Called there several times and still no word.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Out of state moving and used them to move and store our items while house shopping. They had us pay more because they had to wrap our items for storage in their facility. Took 1 and 1/3 truck to move us out and 1 truck to move back in. When I asked them where the 2nd truck was they told me it all fit into 1 truck. Many items are missing. My clothing, shoes, tools ladders the list is too long. Also many items were damaged, legs to my dining room table broken, TV smashed to pieces. They packed this all. Tried to speak to management but no return phone call. Of course I am filing a complaint but would not recommend them ever. I have moved 6 times and never had this happen. Worse customer service ever. So so sad.

Original review: July 21, 2021

We are in the process of moving from Grafton, MA to Midlothian, VA. I got several estimates from multiple moving companies and decided to go with United based on their reputation and reviews online. They were not the least expensive, so this was more important to me to have quality and reliability. My furniture was packed by the movers on June 25th. During the pack, one of the men hit the gas on the stove and by the time we realized it was running full blast for some time, I had to gather my children and pets and leave the house.

On Monday, June 28th the truck was loaded. On Tuesday, June 29th, I was informed that there is a national truck driver shortage and that the window provided of July 1-6 for delivery of our belongings may not be met. It is now July 20th and I have been told we will receive our stuff Thursday, July 22nd. Today, I was told only part of our shipment would be here Thursday because our belongings are on two different trucks. I have paid over $12K for this move and this is unacceptable. I am a single mother of two kids and two dogs sleeping on the floor on an air mattress for almost a month now. I am told I will get $100 a day refund for each day the goods are late. That is not right!!!! I would hope that you care enough about your customers that you make this right and refund my money and ensure we receive our belongings promptly. The process failed miserably this time and it needs to be addressed.

Original review: July 6, 2021

We were given a 8-14 days window for a cross country East to West Coast move. On day 7, they tell us the truck was full and the company is working hard on finding a new truck. This truck isn't loading until day 20 and will still be on the east coast till day 25. I am unable to get simple updates on where my truck is. It's 2021, we can track everything except my whole home shipment. We have a 5 year old and a 1 year old, sleeping on the floor. The daily delay compensation from them is 100$ a day, what are we going to get for 100$ a day, a crib? a bed a mattress?

The team is irresponsible and gave cookie cutter answers, as of day 18 they can't even give a new window, answer was we need the truck driver to tell us. An operations departments that can't tell me a date they will be able to make and a moving company that takes people's livelihood for granted. I do not recommend using them at all, it's profit over everything else, how do we jam as much into one truck so that we can make as much profit as possible, even if it means folks live without their items for 30 days.

Original review: June 16, 2021

The driver and his rider almost hit me head on at a hospital in Chattanooga. Due to his being on the wrong side of the road. He rolled down his window and started out with calling me a ** face. I am disabled and was dropping my son off at Erlanger hospital for a covid test. Due to his and his partner I was afraid for my well being. This should not happen to anyone for any reason from a truck driver.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

United Van Lines Company Information