2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.20/5

United Van Lines Reviews

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

They were efficient, polite and attentive to our requests. Would recommend them again. This was a long haul and they were on time and unloaded everything without mishap.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

As far as United Van Lines, they moved us across the country in July and did an excellent job. They also did all of the packing and some of the unpacking and moved our two cars. No damage at all.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process. I was amazed at the quick time it took to tag and document all my items to loading up the semi with a 3 story house full. When we got to our destination all my items did not fit so they drove to a very tight fitting storage facility and unloaded the rest of items into 2 storage rooms full top to bottom. After everything was done not a scratch on anything and nothing missing or broke. Bravo.

Original review: May 24, 2019

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up. Even when I forgot to confirm the move they made it out to pack it up. The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also kind and efficient. The people working for this company are kind, understanding, and work hard to please their customers. I would definitely recommend this company to others.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Must avoid absolutely! Most of my furniture, some of which were registered as valuable items, arrived without any protection or moving blankets (light colored Italian leather sofa, velvet chair, floor lamp, bookcases, etc.). Some were dirty, full of gravel, and almost all were damaged. Yet, they were all carefully packed by the moving team at origin. The unloading at destination was sloppy, hasty, careless of the furniture or the premises. The small team of movers was partly made up of obviously inexperienced contract workers. For example, they dragged my bookcases on the floor, in the elevator, knocked my floor lamp on the ceiling, on the walls ... The team seemed overworked, rushed and dispatched for my move at the last minute at the end of the day.

However, the team who worked on my claims was very helpful and courteous. Nevertheless, the meager monetary compensation certainly doesn't worth the lost of value, the waste of time and all the hassle required to get compensated. You are very well just a number in the sea of claimants. At the end, the repairs done on my furniture were correct but nothing more. My pieces of furniture are still damaged and it still shows. UVL should really make an effort and choose their subcontractors more carefully (it was a transborder move from the US to Canada). If you care about your furniture and your place, go elsewhere!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Recently moved from PA to MA and selected United Van Lines even when they were more expensive than 4 other firms I contacted - I thought I was buying peace of mind. Surprises started with a bad estimate (even when I requested to do it twice) asking me to pay more than what they promised in their offer... and they were late in delivery due to poor coordination at their dispatch office. Submitted a claim for additional expenses I incurred due to their delay in delivery and received an email agreeing to pay about 15% of my out of pocket expenses. Hope this review helps others not fall in same trap I did.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

Lost my items and damaged other items. The driver was in a hurry and he took everything apart that had screws. He slept most of the time. When he dropped off he said that he was in a hurry and to rate him 5 stars or don't rate him. He was in such a hurry to drop the move off he didn't drop off everything.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

The movers lost or broke a huge amount of items. They were 10 days late and unresponsive to the issues that occurred. The movers actually dropped and broke things in front of us. They also hide broken items in garage. Some items have not been returned after 2 months. The telephone conversation are void of taking responsibility.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

My furniture was picked up on August 2, 2019. One dresser was dropped. Accidents happen. I was told the repair guy would be at my new home to pick it up. This was a cross country move. Two weeks later my furniture was put in storage. The repair guy was there at the time to review the furniture. Almost all of my furniture was damaged. He picked up my furniture three weeks later when I closed on my home.

I spent from the middle of September until November sleeping on a mattress on the floor, as I had no furniture. Finally, in November I received almost every thing. My dresser what was the original damaged piece will arrive - latest estimate - mid December. FOUR MONTHS TO FIX A DRESSER! Since we all knew the day it happened that it had to be repaired it should have been fixed immediately upon receipt in Florida.

I have a china cabinet that is in pieces. I have to find a way to throw it out, as UNI Group Customer Service WILL NOT FIX IT. I have no idea if I will ever see my dresser again. It was purchased just before I moved. The repair guy has now had it longer than I have had it. Chipman moving in Spokane is great. But once the load it turned over to other parts of the company, beware. Every third box has been crushed. Almost every piece of furniture damaged. The community I moved into has build and sold more than 20 hours since the repair man took my dresser. A stretch of 10 miles of highway has been resurfaced since my dresser was dropped. I could have carved one by now.

All I want is a check so I can go replace it. If you have any damage and you have to work with UNI Group Customer Service remember these points.
        1. They will not return calls.
        2. They will not return emails.
        3. They will not get your furniture back in a timely manner.
        4. They will not fix everything they break.
        5. The drivers get anything out of your load. They want to let their kids play. Which brings up another point. All of my furniture was unloaded and reloaded into the next truck. That mover repacking and wrapped everything, which is why everything was damaged. The kids were having fun riding my bicycle.

6. Check your items carefully. I don't have a boy or a boy's bicycle. If you are missing one, it was last seen in Florida.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

Consider the following:

1) Told patently false things multiple times during transit.
        2) No-proactive notifications.
        3) Shipment ended up split onto multiple trucks with one still MIA 3 days after the outside date of the window.
        3A) Forced to pay for whole shipment when 1/2 shipment showed up.
        4) Brilliant little things like brought bed missing slats so filled bedroom with an assembled bed frame that could not be used with no room for just putting mattress on floor.
        5) Careless handling of identified high value items.

6) Stone-aged processes. This is 2019 and somehow every other logistics and freight company uses technology - prepare for carbon paper and wonderfully descriptive tracking items like "carrier pack box"

Overall could care less about customers. Corp relocation and massive consolidation in the industry means you are simply not a concern to them.

Let us do the heavy lifting!

Take our two minute quiz to find the right moving company for you.

United Van Lines expert review by Jessica Render

United Van Lines is a trusted mover that has over 340 agent locations in the United States and also offers international moving services. The company was founded in Cleveland, OH, in 1928.

• Quotes: The company starts by offering you a detailed quote so you are aware of how much your move will cost.

• Unpacking: United Van Lines offers many levels of packing and unpacking that include furniture assembly, disassembly and setting up new offices.

• Pricing: It has fair prices and a number of optional services to keep moves affordable, such as having customers pack the material themselves and extending the delivery dates so that they can bulk your move in with other customers.

• Protection plans: The company offers many protection plans in order to ensure that your belongings arrive safe and are insured against damage.

• Auto transport: Car transport is provided on United Van fleets so you don't have to drive your car yourself or add extra miles to it.

• Best for: Individuals, households and military families.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

United Van Lines Company Information