4.03/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At CarShield, we offer plans to fit every wallet and every vehicle. Whether you've purchased a brand new car, or looking for additional coverage on old car, we have comprehensive comparisons to find the right package for you. Flexible payment plans, coverage on pricey items like transmissions and 24-hour roadside assistance are just a few of the features offered in our customizable plans. Call or visit our site today to find the right coverage for you, and start driving with peace of mind.

CarShield Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

CarShield’s high points transferable warranties, motorcycle coverage and many plans. Although CarShield’s quote process isn’t the best, their numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

PROS

• More plans than most competitors
  • Contracts available in Spanish
  • Transferrable warranties
  • Covers motorcycles in addition to cars

CONS

• Inconvenient quote process
  • Limited benefits

Top CarShield Reviews

03/28/2019

Customer Service is outstanding! Understood my needs and quickly took care of my request. I highly recommend CarShield for car protection.

04/01/2019

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure I was able to afford my plan.

What is CarShield?

CarShield is a company offering extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. CarShield has 31 contract options available to customers. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Warranties are also available for motorcycles, ATVs and vehicles with up to 250,000 miles on them. Most warranties can be transferred as well.

How much does CarShield cost?

CarShield rates can vary widely. However, you can expect a Carshield warranty price to be roughly 4 cents per mile on the car. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so customers have a full two years to pay off their extended auto warranty.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the website, so the best way to get precise Carshield prices is to contact the company. It’s common for extended auto warranty companies to have minimal pricing information on their websites. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via their online form or by calling and speaking to CarShield customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has 31 contracts available for customers. This is seven to eight times more than most competitors. The majority of these contracts fit into six broad levels of coverage: New Car, Comprehensive, Powertrain+, Powertrain, High Tech and Motorcycle/ATV.

The New Car plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty. This is often known as a bumper-to-bumper plan. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield and will cover almost any repair you might need. CarShield suggests the Comprehensive plan for used vehicles. It offers the second most coverage of CarShield’s plans. The Powertrain+ plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Powertrain plan (no plus) is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price. The High Tech plan and Motorcycle/ATV plans offer customized coverage for high-tech items and alternatives to cars. For more details on costs and what they cover talk to a CarShield representative.

Powertrain plan
High tech plan
  • Wiring harness
Motorcycle plan

How does CarShield work?

CarShield works by providing extended auto warranties for new and used cars. This acts as insurance on your car in case of an unforeseen breakdown. When you need a repair made, you can just go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield pays the rest.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 250,000 miles. This is on the higher end of coverage for most extended auto warranty companies, so if you have a car with high mileage, CarShield is a good choice.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield will cover. Contracts are provided in English and Spanish. Most contracts are also transferrable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of the vehicle for sale. CarShield’s coverage for motorcycles and ATVs also sets it apart from other extended auto warranty companies. Additional benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is well worth it, especially if you aren’t sure yet what kind of coverage you want with an extended auto warranty, because CarShield offers a wide variety of plans that will satisfy most consumers. Having contracts available in Spanish is helpful to those whose primary language is Spanish. Coverage for motorcycles is another standout feature. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, you can’t go wrong with CarShield.

1279 CarShield Consumer Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

CarShield cancelled me because we had a conflict in the contract. When I signed up for it, it was fine. Then the car had a problem so I took it back to Chevrolet to get it fixed. CarShield paid for the first time they got it fixed, but there was a problem. When I took it back to Chevrolet, they discovered that there was another problem so they sent the guy out to look at the car. But they didn’t approve the work because I do Uber with this car.

I tried to talk to them about it and I explained to them that their contract needs to specify Uber drivers. They’re doing it in yesterday’s world. In today’s world, we have Uber, Lyft, and different things going on that people use their cars for. When they had asked me the question was I gonna use it for commercial, I paused because I didn’t know if they considered Uber commercial. It’s my personal car, and I’m choosing to do what I do with the car. That doesn’t really fall under commercial and that’s how I explained it to their guy.

The contract should specifically state out Uber, Lyft, or any kind of food delivery services. Then when a person will say, “Yes, I do Uber,” then it could be for a different price. They kinda messed me up because if I knew that was the case, I could’ve gone with another company, and I still will be with that company. Now, I got more miles on the car so it’s gonna cost me more for the extended warranty on the car. But I don’t think there’s a problem with CarShield itself. The guy did come out and I didn’t see anything wrong with the company at all. I just think that the wording in their contract needs to be improved.

Marvin,

Thank you for the review. If you car is used for work it's a different type of coverage. We asked if it was and there was probably just some confusion about what we meant. We'd be happy to get you into a different coverage plan. Just give us a call!

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I researched the warranty companies before I decided on who to go with. CarShield had a lifetime warranty like a lot of them and had a good rating with Consumer Reports. Even people who had other plans said that CarShield was great. I got many calls saying, “We could do better in price and we could do better in this and that,” and I would tell them that I already have a warranty. I'm gonna try to renew it again, but depending on the price because CarShield is a little higher than some of the other people that I've researched.

I do a lot by ConsumerAffairs on what they’re rating, which was how I made my choice to go with CarShield. They're not the only people I use, but they are the most popular that most people will send reviews to compared to other places that do the same thing. They seem to have the majority of the people. So, if one company only has 600 and ConsumerAffairs has 3,000 and with the 3,000 if CarShield got an 80 and the other people have 500 and they only get 90, I can't go with that because the ratio is not as good.

When purchasing my warranty for a Q5 2011, the first rep that I had was incredible. She was amazing and very personable, the whole nine yards. She just bought a car herself and got CarShield for it. When I went to transfer the warranty over to another Q5, 2012 because some drunk driver totaled my car out, I dealt with two men and I wasn’t happy. When I bought this car, it was practically new and it hadn't been even out of the 50,000-mile for Audi itself. It only had 35,000. I originally had 100,000 and I already paid nine months into CarShield. The service was great and I had no problems when I took my car to be serviced.

The car was fixed, somebody was sent out and they looked at whatever needed to be done. That part was all smooth but the part that wasn’t smooth was that they’re gonna increase me six or eight more payments and the warranty will only be 75,000 miles versus 100,000. So, I asked the guy why I would only get 75,000 miles and why I had to pay an additional six or eight months. He told me that they had to pay $300 for something that I had fixed on the Q11, and they had another service for whatever. This car had two big issues and I'm sure the bill was well over $3,000 but all those things was factored into what I was gonna pay. And so, if I use my policy that I paid CarShield for, it's gonna cost me money if I wanna renew it or get a new one. So, that really didn't go over very well with me. I’m still about 20,000 miles away from 75,000 miles but I don't know if I'm gonna go that way again.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Dick Butkus was the spokesperson for CarShield one time and I knew he was about his work. If he would put his name behind something, it must be good. I thought the best thing I could do was try so I went with CarShield. All I had to do was call them, explain to them the situation that I was going through with my car, they took it from there. Their reps made sure I understood. However, they haven't sent my paperwork out for me to know what is covered by them. Still, it doesn't bother me because anytime I call CarShield, they're right there and on time every time.

I started a claim with them in December. That time, before I left from Maryland, Fort Washington, I went to a Mazda dealer and had my car serviced so I could take the road trip. They told me my car was fine to take the trip and that everything was in order. By the time I got down to Virginia Beach though, my car had gone out and it was smoking. I had to call because I was scared to drive it since it started making this noise. So, I called State Farm and had them to tow my car towards the dealer. When I got there and I gave them my insurance information, they contacted CarShield. CarShield told them they were gonna send an inspector out. In a few days, an inspector was out there and the dealership said that they were going to do what they gotta do. CarShield was on the money to pay the people when my car was finished. I will refer them to anyone and stand behind them 100%

Hello Patricia!
Welcome to CarShield!

Thanks for joining our community of consumers whom understand the importance of protecting their budgets and their vehicles an extended service contract. If there's anything you need, please give us a call. We're here to work for you!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The credit union that I deal with would not give me a full bumper-to-bumper extended warranty on my ’08 Corvette. They would only give me an engine and power train. I got something in the mail from CarShield and it said that I could call and talk to them. So I called the number and talked to one of the reps. The rep said they could give me a full bumper-to-bumper warranty. It was a little more than the credit union, but it covered a lot more. It sounded like a good deal.

I've had many extended warranty services and I cancel them as soon as I have the actual brochure and I have read it through about three times, and I know what they'll cover and what they'll not cover. As soon as they try and pull a fast one and say, “Well, that might have been covered,” I tell them, “No, no, no. It says right here in black and white on this piece of paper, you're covering that part.” When they then try to pull some funny business, I tell them that they're done. They're not standing up to what they say they are.

Right on the get-go, I had some gasket leaks on the Corvette. It was found when an oil change was being done on the car. I double-checked with the book to see what CarShield was covering, and sure enough, it said that, “We cover all engine and rear-end gaskets from leaking.” I knew that I was 100% covered. But then, it happened that the CD changer in the car quit loading at the same time. So I looked it up as well and I said, “No, it covers factory to factory CD warranty on a radio.” So, all three things I was 100% positive are supposed to be covered and there shouldn’t be any problems. I told that to the Chevy dealership, asked them to call CarShield and have a deductible.

The person at the dealership called back and said that a CarShield rep was coming out to go over everything that we had written down. He'd be there in two days and then he'd say yes or no on everything. I said, “Okay, fine. We'll see how good CarShield is gonna be.” The rep did come out and the Chevy service writer called me up and said that they were covering everything, that they were very good. He even added that they were gonna cover some of the loops that were coming out. I asked how was the CarShield guy and I was told that he was great. CarShield was very fair and they did exactly what they said they were gonna do, and everything that was in writing, they covered.

Hi Rodman!

Thank you for your support and we look forward to continuing our business with you! If there's anything you need, please give us a call.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I had a couple of people who referred me to CarShield. I checked out a bunch of different companies and CarShield was the one I really liked the most. Everything seemed to be okay, except for the fact that I had to wait for an adjuster to come and look at my truck. On Friday, I took it to the Toyota dealer. CarShield didn’t want any more miles put on the truck. I had a computer module go out. They didn’t know whether somebody could come on Friday and look at it or whether it’d be Monday. They told me they knew what the problem was and how much it would cost but they couldn't do any repairs until the adjuster would come out and approve it.

They came out Monday afternoon and approved the work to be done, and then they ordered the part. Tuesday, my truck got fixed. And then I had to wait until Wednesday till it got paid before I could get my truck back. The whole bill was about $2,800. CarShield covered everything but they didn’t cover the $100 deductible, but that was understandable in the beginning. Everything was taken care of well so I was happy with it. The only inconvenience was the five days without my truck. If it had been something else, I could’ve gotten a rental car. But they looked at how much time it was gonna take for somebody to replace the part and they would’ve paid for the rental for one day. Nevertheless, I’ve recommended them to other people.

Hello Wayne!

We are happy to hear your vehicle service contract is working in your favor!

Thanks for your review and support!

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Jamie was very helpful and knowable and there was no wait for my call to be answered. I would recommend CarShield to all my friends. The price is a little steep but I hope it is helpful in the future.

TGM

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Very good service and helpful. Told me what would be covered and what they wouldn't cover. Very polite and nice. I also was informed about a $100 deductible that I was happy with because of the costs it could be to fix my car. Thank you again for your help.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I have no problem with CarShield. The people are courteous, knowledgeable and listens when you ask a question. In the future if the need arises to get an extended warranty on another vehicle, CarShield will be my first choice.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

One of the best in the business. I recommend to everyone. Customer service is outstanding. A CarShield CSR will call and remind me that my payment is due. I have yet to have a problem when I take my 2007 Hyundai to get repaired.

Hey Paul,

Thank you for your time and review. If you have any questions give us a call!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

It's great to get a warranty before car start having. I look into this 'cause I seen the commercial so many times. I told myself to look into this so I wouldn't regret it later and if something was to happen I don't want to have to come out of pocket with a whole lot of money. Thank goodness for this CarShield warranty. I can have a good peace of mind. I recommend other friends and family members to get this. I think it's worth it.

Hello Mark!

Thanks for joining our community of consumers who understand the importance of protecting their budgets and their vehicles with an extended service contract. If there's anything you need, please give us a call.

CarShield Company Information