4.1/5 (1682 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About CarShield

CarShield offers customizable vehicle service contracts that cover new and used cars against malfunctions or breakdowns. Along with these extended warranties, CarShield also provides 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental vehicles. Month-to-month coverage and flexible monthly payment plans are available to fit your needs.

Pros

• More plans than many competitors
    • Contracts available in Spanish
    • Transferable warranties
    • Covers various vehicles

Cons

• Inconvenient quote process
    • Limited benefits

Bottom Line

CarShield's high points include its month-to-month and motorcycle coverage. Although CarShield's quote process isn't the best, its numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

Top CarShield Reviews

Verified

Had to replace my 2018 Impala evaporator core and it would have cost me 2000.00 out of pocket if I didn't have Car Shield. I took the car to the dealership services and they took ...

Verified

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure...

What is CarShield?

CarShield is a company that offers vehicle service contracts for new and used vehicles, including motorcycles, ATVs and cars with up to 200,000 miles. The company has six contract options, almost all of which are available on a month-to-month basis, so you aren’t locked into a long-term commitment. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Most warranties are transferable too.

How much does CarShield cost?

CarShield’s rates vary widely, but you can expect prices to be under $100 a month. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so you have a full two years to pay off your extended auto warranty. If you choose a month-to-month plan, your payments will last the entirety of your coverage, though.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the company’s website, so the best way to get precise prices is to contact CarShield. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via its online form or by calling CarShield’s customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has six protection plans available for both new and used cars, offering protection from powertrain to comprehensive coverages. CarShield’s six contracts are as follows:

Silver
    Silver is CarShield’s powertrain plan and its most affordable coverage. It covers your vehicle’s:
    Gold
    Gold is Carshield’s powertrain plus plan. It covers everything the Silver plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    Platinum
    Platinum is CarShield’s comprehensive plan. It covers everything the Gold plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    • GPS
    Diamond
    Diamond is CarShield’s plan that most closely mimics a manufacturer’s warranty. It covers everything the Platinum plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    • GPS
    • Wiring harness
    Aluminum
    Aluminum covers electronics- and computer-related components, including your vehicle’s:
    • Wiring harness
    Other coverage
    CarShield’s other plans cover components on motorcycles and ATVs, including the following components, if applicable:
    • Radiator

The Diamond plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty, often referred to as a bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield. CarShield suggests the Platinum plan for older vehicles since it offers significant coverage.

The Gold plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Silver plan is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price.

The Aluminum plan covers high-tech items, and plans for motorcycles and ATVs offer customized coverage for those vehicles. For more details on costs and what each plan covers, talk to a CarShield representative.

How does CarShield work?

CarShield provides extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. These policies act as insurance against unforeseen breakdowns. When you need a repair made, go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield then pays for the covered repairs.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 200,000 miles. This limit is higher than what many extended auto warranty companies offer, so CarShield is a good choice if you have a high-mileage car.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield covers. Contracts are available in English and Spanish. Most CarShield contracts are also transferable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of your vehicle.

Additional CarShield benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental cars.

CarShield FAQ

Is CarShield a rip-off?
    No, CarShield is a legitimate company offering extended vehicle warranty plans. Before settling on any warranty company, it is important to do your research and understand its cancellation and refund policies, along with its various plan offerings. Doing this early on helps you decide what is right for you and avoid scams or rip-offs.
    How much does CarShield cost a month?
    CarShield does not offer pricing on its website, as costs vary based on your vehicle’s type, age, mileage and coverage. However, you can get a quote by calling the company’s customer service or submitting a form online through CarShield’s website.
    Does CarShield cover electrical problems?
    Yes, the Aluminum, Platinum and Diamond plans cover electrical issues.
    What doesn’t CarShield cover?
    CarShield does not cover oil changes or similar routine maintenance issues. It also does not cover oil leaks unless they are a result of engine failure and you have one of the appropriate plans.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is generally worth it. It offers a wide variety of plans, which can be especially helpful if you aren’t yet sure what kind of coverage you want. We like that it offers month-to-month contracts and motorcycle coverage — plus, having contracts available in Spanish is a big benefit if you’re not as fluent in English. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, consider CarShield.

CarShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Purchased a contract with Car Shield based on your promise announced in your commercials. BUT reality was unclear. Didn't realize you would ONLY pay for repairs, and I would have to pay unforeseeable out-of-pocket labor costs, PLUS find a qualified car repair shop that accepts Car Shield first. My husband and I are very busy, but this method doubles our workload. (We live in an area with limited qualified car shops.)

Because of COVID19, I am currently unemployed and can no longer afford your monthly deductions from my account. Your customer service reps tried to save my account, and I appreciate their efforts. But I don't have the time nor money to continue to find a qualified car repair shop AND to pay you and the car repair shop for labor, too.

Therefore, I have no other choice but to CANCEL my account with Car Shield. Please inform MEPCO to stop deductions from my account. I really hope you re-engineer your business model to protect your reputation and ensure long-term sustainability. Since I have more than 11 years of B2C and B2B marketing experience, let me know if I can help you in anyway. Thank you.

Hey Norma,

Please note: We cannot accept cancellations here. You must contact us for this to process.

In terms of your claim, I see we are paying $568 on your window motor. We pay parts and labor. We use a nationally recognized labor guide to determine hours needed to repair parts and some repair facilities choose to overcharge for labor. In those cases, we recommend going with a different repair facility because they are overcharging and it will leave you paying more out of pocket than necessary.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I signed up for a CarShield ext warranty, I have had factory ext warranties and a few after market. I did lots of research. Reading reviews, especially the negative ones and concluded that the warranty would work for me. The price started out at $130 a month and then after several times to "think about it" for a day or so the final price offered was $60. So take your time and get the best price and review the coverage. I had a previous ext warranty that covered trans axles but would only cover one axle for the term of the policy. Note that an adjuster will probably come out to review any large claims before your car is repaired to be sure it is legit and you can have several days of wait time before the repair is authorized.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the review and welcome to CarShield! Each claim is different, and there may not be a need for an adjuster during your claim. Some claims are done in 1-2 days, others can take more time. A lot of it depends on communication between the repair shop, yourself, and American Auto Shield. We appreciate your honest review and please let us know if you have any questions about your policy.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I was Very Happy and Impressed by the CarShield Sales Representative, Sean **, who helped me today. Sean ** was very helpful, informative, friendly, pleasant and extremely patient with me on the phone today Wednesday, 8/19/2020. I am a retired and permanently disabled Paralegal (paralegal for 31 years) so with that being said I had lots and lots of questions for Sean but he was really good and was able to provide all the answers to my questions and he eased most of my worries about signing up with CarShield hence me moving forward and purchasing a Platinum Plan with Carshield because of Sean **'s Excellent Sales and Customer Service.

During this Current Global Pandemic it is extremely difficult to find, obtain and hold onto an Excellent Worker/Employee like Sean **. I strongly suggest that CarShield acknowledges and appreciates Excellent Workers/Employees like Sean ** and not take them for granted and like Current Democratic Presidential Candidate, Joe Biden, states: "We Must Take Care of and Compensate Well ALL Employees during these Tough Times..."

Hi Juliet,

Thanks for the review and kind words. Glad to see Sean was able to explain how the coverage works. I will make sure his manager sees your review! Thanks again and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Original review: July 12, 2020

Cadillac CTS 2012 overheated. Gasket damaged. I had called 6/30/20 when my car overheated on the expressway. Tried to call car shield. No answer. Odometer mileage came on so I drove to the dealership. I spoke to Tracy on Fri. 7/3/20 3:45pm. She said she would call Naye @ Heritage. And I could rent a car at Enterprise if I can't get one from the dealership and car shield would reimburse me.

I spoke to Nathan 7/9/20 4:30 pm. Coverage related. He checked with Dave at client relation who stated he would call Naye at Heritage. Naye said he never got a call. Nathan did give me a disc code xz12g45 for my rental car. I called Fri. 7/10/20 12:10 pm. Spoke to Brittany customer service. 12:25 pm spoke to Sophie who transferred me to claim related. 1:20 pm spoke to Leon. He stated that he need a diagnostic and I explained that Naye had held on the phone for several hrs. And I asked Leon if he would call Naye, but he refused. I need my car repaired and this is unacceptable. It will be two weeks Tuesday 7/14. With no results.

Hi Lottie,

Sorry to hear this is taking longer than usual. The quickest way to expedite your claim would be to have the repair facility contact American Auto Shield. That is who handles your claims. If they or you have questions about your policy, we can assist with that. We hope to have you back on the road soon!

Original review: May 28, 2020

I seen the commercial on tv and it sounded like a winner on top of the fact that my extended warranty had just expired. I called and spoke to Alec **, he was very helpful and patient with me. He answered every question without hesitation. He went over what was covered and what was not. I have not used my policy as of yet, so I can't say whether the claims area is just as easy as the call was. I will review at that time. I do like the fact that I have 60 days for a full refund if I do not like my purchase as long as I don't use it. :)

However, I read the reviews on Google and I started second guessing myself whether I made a good decision with this purchase. I called back and spoke to Derrick, he was understanding and gave me all the answers I needed and assured me that I could indeed have a refund if I was not satisfied. He referred me to Consumer Affairs and the reviews are definitely different. My advice is to ask questions, understand what you are paying for. I will still be calling Nissan to see if the company is as reputable as it seems to be. Customer service tonight was A-1 though.

Hi Christina!

Thank you for the review and welcome to CarShield! As you mentioned, our happiest customers understand what they're paying for. So if we can assist in any way explaining your coverage, please let us know. Thanks again for choosing us!

Original review: April 8, 2021

Haven't had to use them yet but I can say this much is we look around and Carshield was the best in price and covers more than others companies do. They are very friendly and have a good respectable overall coverage.

Original review: April 7, 2021

Waiting on Randy Wise to tear down the engine of my vehicle so CarShield can go and inspect it. It has been close to a month. Would like to know if I could take my car to another dealership or do I have to keep it at the dealership.

Original review: April 7, 2021

The process should be faster to make sure it doesn’t take two weeks to repair something that needs a day or so. The rental cars thing y’all giving up to 40 dollars for 4 days and those days are behind us, you can barely get a car for 50 dollars.

Original review: April 7, 2021

CarShield would not cover Mass Air Flow Sensor, They stated it was an added package and fee.. Even after I have paid over 3 thousand dollars in monthly premiums!! 08 Hyundai Tucson- One hundred twenty three thousand miles. Excellent condition.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I will be looking for a company with full coverage. Heater coils should be covered. Paying $1300 a year should get coverage front to back. Never got a book of what is covered and what is not covered. Thank you. TV ads are misleading.

CarShield Company Information