4.31/5
Based on 378 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

At CarShield, we offer plans to fit every wallet and every vehicle. Whether you've purchased a brand new car, or looking for additional coverage on old car, we have comprehensive comparisons to find the right package for you. Flexible payment plans, coverage on pricey items like transmissions and 24-hour roadside assistance are just a few of the features offered in our customizable plans. Call or visit our site today to find the right coverage for you, and start driving with peace of mind.

Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experienceDissatisfied with the experienceSatisfied with the experienceHappy with the experienceWould recommend to a friend
Last updated: April 17, 2018

572 CarShield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2018

My vehicle stop moving while in gear, I had it towed to an authorized Nissan dealership, which diagnosed my vehicle as having a defective transmission. Carshield refuse to cover the diagnosis because they stated it was an electronic issue in the TRANSMISSION, which caused the transmission to become defective. And the dealership stated that it was a defect in the transmission that caused the electronic parts in the transmission to fail. Regardless the transmission failed which was supposed to be covered in my warranty plan that Carshield is refusing to cover. I would not recommend Carshield to anyone because of their immoral business practices.

Bryant-

We are sorry you feel this way. We strive to learn from every source of input available to us, to better improve our company and our customers' experience.

Our coverage plans vary depending on the age and mileage of the vehicle. Therefore, our sales agents place you into the highest level of coverage your vehicle qualifies for at the best rates.

If there is anything we can do to help you, please don't hesitate to give us a call.

Thank you again for your time.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 6, 2018

CarShield has refused to complete their part when it comes to repairing my wife car: So far $1800.00 in car rental fees, $110 in towing fees, and now accumulating storage fees from the repair shop. The operators at CarShield are useless when it comes accomplishing any progress in the process of repairing vehicles. I don't even know why they are in this business. Car currently sits in pieces at repair shop due to mandatory tear down for further diagnosis and inspection that was ordered a week ago (3/29/2018), and today 4/5/2018 I was told that they could not authorize an inspector to come and inspect what they wanted to inspect.

At this point, I have no words and I can only laugh. CarShield has received Diagnosis from the dealership, specialist, and two separate Auto repair shops, and still they are asking why is the car not working. NOT MY JOB, I PAY, YOU FIX!!! It's like they don't understand their own business concept. Bottomline: CarShield is a continuing criminal enterprise pretending to be car warranty firm. To whom it may concern, FAIR WARNING: CARSHIELD WILL ABUSE YOU IF YOU DECIDE TO BUY WHATEVER THEY ARE PRETENDING TO SELL. 1st hand experience-stay away from this company.

Pablo-

We are sorry you're unsatisfied with one of our administrators. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are working with this administrator to improve processes. It’s our top priority that our customers have a great experience from beginning to end and we apologize this administrator jeopardized that for you. We hope that you will not see this as a reflection of our company’s business practices and will continue to support our endeavors here at CarShield.

If there is anything we can do to better assist you, or help increase your satisfaction of our company, please reach out to our customer service team.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I’ve seen CarShield on TV and based on the commercial on at the time, I went with them. Their reps were nice and kind. Their knowledge about the product was okay. Also, their vehicle protection specialist helped me get back on the road again when my car broke down. I had my car towed to where I wanted and the repair shop filed the claim for me. I put my gear in Park and Drive, then it locked up. I called them and the guy there took care of it for me. The cost has been okay. I let them take it out of my check. CarShield's people are good and the service has been great. I'd tell friends that they need to get that protection.

Hello Connie!

We are happy to hear your vehicle service contract is working in your favor, as we expect it to.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

Original review: March 26, 2018

The representative was easy to speak with and very knowledgeable about his job. He understood about being on a tight budget and was able to help me up immensely. Great job and keep up the good work. Chase ** you did a fantastic job. Thanks for looking out.

Hi Paul!

Welcome to CarShield!

Thanks for joining our community of consumers whom understand the importance of protecting their budgets and their vehicles an extended service contract.

If there's anything you need, please give us a call. We're here to work for you!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: March 23, 2018

I hate writing this review. I've researched reviews on Carshield now and I've discovered there are 2 stages with very similar reviews. The first is of the ordering process. It's positive (like my own experience). The second is of those trying to have a claim paid, those are negative (like my own experience). I can pay to have my vehilce torn apart to see if the repair is covered and if not I'm responsible for any and all cost of the teardown and repair or simply putting it back together.

From what they explained over the phone there is a 95% chance it won't be covered. That's not why I pay nearly 10% of my annual income for a "new car warranty" as the very nice salesman called it. That's a huge gamble! I'm not willing to take that gamble, my gamble is paying the high premium every month for a policy that said they would be there for me. I told the salesman upon purchase "I'm hesitant because all is good now but when I need you I'm afraid there will be some technicality and I won't be covered". He assured me that's not how Carshield works.

Now that exact thing has happened; so unfortunately I've got exactly what I expected from Carshield. I called to discuss my situation and got transferred several times 2 times back to the same people that were supposed to "handle my situation". I'm frustrated even further because I've already paid well over the amount of my repair to Carshield, but still owe even more than that to fully pay off my policy. I have great apprehension going further with the new lack of trust I have with Carshield. They have not contacted me further even though I have reached out for more discussion on this matter.

Robert-

We are very sorry to hear about the stress you endured during the claims process.

Being the marketer/seller of the service contract, we at CarShield have little to no control over the claims process or the administrators' decision to approve or deny a claim. We are, however, always willing to explain the coverage details or help you with any of your Customer Service needs.

We do value you and your continued business. Please, if there is anything we can do for you, do not hesitate to contact us!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: March 21, 2018

Very good as always!!! Thanks. I had two other vehicles protected by CarShield and was very pleased. Thanks again. I am still pleased with your services and would by all means recommend you to others. Thank you and thank you! I am looking forward to doing business with you in the future!!!

Hello Donnie!

Thanks for taking a moment to review CarShield. We genuinely appreciate your comments and look forward to working with you in the future also.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Gorgette was a great help, she helped me explain all the details in a way to help with parts not covered in my plan, thanks CarSheild and Gorgette. Several people went back and forth with me on the phone, but quickly realized someone was not in the right mind and quickly cleared all my worries up.

Hi Kenny!

We are pleased to hear our specialists have helped resolve any questions you have had.

We pride ourselves in having one of the best customer service teams in the industry! Feedback, such as yours, helps remind us that the customer comes first.

Thank you again for your time and your compliment. Let us know if there is anything else we can do

Original review: March 20, 2018

I initially called to cancel my payments altogether because financially I am unable to maintain the obligation. The young lady I spoke to was very much interested in not only assisting me in the situation but also maintaining coverage. She was able to get my payments lowered substantially enough to where the burden wouldn't be as great while maintaining my coverage on such a vital lifeline as my vehicle. She was an absolute delight to speak to.

Hello Jonathan!

Original review: March 19, 2018

My father was sold this policy and was told it covered bumper to bumper since my car was 4 years old. Supposedly covers drivetrain. My front wheel bearing is going out. Took it to a dealer who verified this and tried to file a claim. Ford dealer is stating on a 2013 Ford Escape that the wheel bearings are part of a drivetrain. CarShield/American Auto Shield is denying payment calling it a suspension problem. Luckily, my dad and husband will do the repair since Ford wants $500 to fix it ($42 part). I would pay the dealer had I not spent over $600 on this insurance that doesn’t pay anything. My father is canceling coverage on both vehicles on our policy and disputing payments made to the bank for services not delivered. Horrible company full of liars!

Erin-

We appreciate your comments. We strive to learn from every source of input available to us, to better improve our company and our customers' experience.

If there is anything we can do to help you, please have your father

give us a call.

Thank you again for your time.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Dairyland was my company and I was looking through different insurance plans and I looked at CarShield’s plan and I liked their plan too. My idea was that I pay so much and they pay so much, and if I get an accident and it’s not my fault, insurance is going to pay for everything. I liked the policy and CarShield is a fair company and I wanted to deal with them. I wanted to overcome all the obstacles out there to prevent myself from getting in an accident. Their cover sounded right to me so I got it and I’ll work with it. My vehicle is my line to go to work and to come home. I did the setup process online and the person that got me to them is my brother. He was also the one that did all interactions for me.

When I purchased my vehicle, I waited a while and I found out the transmission was really bad so I called CarShield and got it fixed. I like the quality of their service so far because when I brought the car in to be fixed, they were right there and looking at the transmission. I paid so much and they paid so much, and I got a brand-new transmission. I like how quick they were. Since purchasing their protection plan, I feel safer and I feel like I got somebody on my shoulder that’s helping me with different things. It was the best policy I could think of because with Dairyland, if I got hit and it wasn’t my fault, they would pay for everything. I would call them and they would jump right in. It’s very good for me to have CarShield. If there are any problems, I can call them and they’ll cover and take a picture and see what’s going on.

I would tell my friends CarShield is a program that helps their vehicle and it’s a better thing for them because if they’re going to drive their vehicle and have a problem with it, CarShield is right on it. Like me, I rented a car for two days. I brought my car in and they said it’s going to be about five days. And it was only two days when I went and picked up my vehicle from being fixed. It’s going to improve and I’d recommend it.

Hi Paul!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I was very impressed with all the coverage I’m getting for the price I will be paying monthly. I only wish I had heard about CarShield 9 months ago but better late than never. Thank you for the representative Deanna.

Hi Velar!

Welcome to CarShield!

Although we would never wish for you to have to face a breakdown, we are pleased to help alleviate the cost of covered repairs and give you peace of mind when the inevitable happens.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Clarity in the conversation cleared up any confusion I had. I wanted to cancel the policy but realizes it was cheaper to keep it in the long run thanks to your customer service team. I would recommend CarShield to my family. Thank you.

Hi Shelter!

Original review: March 16, 2018

I called about 4 days ago looking for a extended warranty because I just purchased a used car. And after hours of reviews and looking at what was best for me I thought CarShield sounded great, until I got a very very pushy salesman who was very rude and wouldn’t let me speak or hardly talk. And at the end said, "Well if you don’t sign today your loss," I tried explaining I would like information in writing to look at and study for myself. He replied, "Well I told you what you get," so I am like really you want me fork out money for something like this without anything in writing saying what I get before I sign!!! So CarShield if you like my business and anybody else’s first fire this guy and second get in touch with me and provide me with simple detailed information about what is truly covered in writing and let me make my decision without a rude push salesman who acts like he’s selling timeshares in Vegas.

Michael-

We do apologize in advance if you were treated in a manner less than transparent and courteous when you called into our office. We train each of our agents to be professional, polite and honest at all times.

Our Quality Assurance Team has been advised to listen to the call you made to the office on 3/16/2018. We strive to learn from every source of input available to us, to better improve our company and our customers' experience. Please be assured, we do not take these matters lightly and appropriate action will be taken should we find the allegations true.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Best Regards,

Original review: March 15, 2018

The agent was straightforward. Gave me the total amount along with the down payment amount and how long the coverage is for. The agent also gave me a very good deal on the down payment because I was unable to come up with the total down payment.

Hi Robert!

Original review: March 15, 2018

I was ready to cancel service, until the representative helped me see the benefit of me keeping it. I was helped with a better price for my package and I was told again what all the benefits of keeping my package would be.

Hello Torenzo!

Original review: March 14, 2018

Representatives are always very customer friendly and satisfied me with great satisfaction. I recommend CarShield to everybody I know. This is a very good plan that saves me lots of money when I experience problems with my vehicle. This is an extended coverage every vehicle owner should invest in.

Hi Cheryl!

Original review: March 13, 2018

The customer service here is great. There is no sale pressure and the rate is unbeatable. My representative was able to answer all of my questions and her supervisor was able to confirm everything. I have no regrets and will continue to do business with this company as long as possible. I would recommend their services to all of my friends and family.

Hello Shanelle!

Thanks for taking a moment to review CarShield. We genuinely appreciate your comments and look forward to working with you in the future.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I spoke to a service representative regarding the changing my payment arrangements. Payments will come out of my checking account on the 16th of every month, starting April 16, 2018. I gave her the reason why I had to change it and she understood. So I was extremely satisfied that it was changed.

Hello Elizabeth!

Original review: March 12, 2018

When I purchased the car, the guy from the dealership said somebody will write, but he didn’t say who it would be or from what company. But then I started getting letters from CarShield saying, “This is the final attempt. Your car warranty is running out and you should protect your vehicle.” I wasn’t looking into any company and I don’t know how they got my information but decided to go ahead and use CarShield. The vehicle protection specialist was doing his job and he told me that I could ask him a million questions if I have to. So, I kept asking him and he provided me answers. He was great and he was telling me about the product.

I told him that I heard about scams like this stuff before where people will come out and say they have insurance or extended warranty. I was skeptical about purchasing this insurance but he made me trust what he was doing. I asked what their coverage was, and then he explained it to me, and I thought it was suitable for me. He told me that I would pay $140 a month, and I went ahead and did it. The entire package is about $3000 plus for the budget of this insurance I have, or $4000. He gave me several options too, so I took the best one. I did a claim with CarShield recently for my transmission. I was driving my car but from time to time, I would feel a little vibration and I was wondering what it was. So, I took it to a shop and they told me that my transmission might’ve been lifting or something. So, I said before it gets any worse, I’ll just have them take care of it.

CarShield's quality of service is recommended, and I would recommend somebody to the company. I would tell my friends that CarShield is a legit and safe insurance company, and whatever CarShield tells them, it’s what it is. So, they've got to make sure because if anything is hidden, it’s probably because they didn’t read their contract. CarShield is solid as a company. If they’re looking into getting insurance or extending warranty it would be a qualified company because I’ve used them before. I just had the insurance, and I know that if I needed it one day, I would have it.

Hello Garth!

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

Original review: March 11, 2018

I had a bad experience with CarShield Company when calling in March 2nd 2018 to pay my monthly payment. I decided to pay my monthly payment early because it was not due until March 3rd 2018 when I called in March 2nd to pay it early and to have my car towed to an Auto Repair Shop of my own kind the same day. I need my car fix because I didn't know what was wrong with it. All I knew was it would not start. So they told me that it was my timing belt and that my timing belt on my 1998 Honda Civic Lx was broken and that CarShield wasn't going to cover it and that I was going to be responsible of fixing it myself. They sent out an inspector to the shop to inspect my car and that's when they gonna try and say I already had that problem prior to me putting my car in the shop.

So CarShield company wouldn't cover my repairs or labor and they told me they wouldn't put me in a rental car either because it's base on what my contract say. I read my contract. So I went back and forward with AMERICAN AUTO SHIELD. They told me even if I would've waited after March 2nd 2018 to get my car fix. They still wasn't gonna fix my car regardless of the fact. The only thing I got was a 400 discount which is a month free from $130 to now $113.00 and that's it. I still would like a refund back of my money since they isn't getting my car fix. Not a free month but a full refund back of a $130.00 back.

Shantea-

We are sorry you feel this way. We strive to learn from every source of input available to us, that is why we do ask if you have any modifications on the vehicle.

Thank you again for your time.

Original review: March 9, 2018

My experience was a very good one. The young man named Rick was very pleasant and knowledgeable. He answered all of my questions and did a summary of all transactions. I would recommend my friends to CarShield. Your employee did not give up on trying to sell me on CarShield. Hats off to that young man.

Hello Edna!

Welcome to CarShield!

Original review: March 8, 2018

Very very happy with the service and ethical ways. Very good customer service and offer. Will be very happy to go back to this company when needed. They worked well with my needs and requests. This company is tops. Very happy.

Hello Frances!

Thank you for reviewing CarShield. Even though we are sorry to see you go as a customer, we hope you do keep us in mind for the future.

If there is anything more we can do for you, please give us a call.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Great agent experience. Agent was very patient as I tried to figure out if I really needed a tow. I have only used it a few times already and I am super satisfied so far. My first experience was just as rewarding even though I was calling the incorrect phone number, the reps were very kind and knowledgeable.

Hello Norman!

Original review: March 7, 2018

My experience was great and helpful. I hope to do business with CarShield for a long while to come. I like the package. It is something I need right now. It keeps me worry free that if something goes wrong I am covered and can get assistance when I need.

Hi Dominique!

Welcome to CarShield!

Original review: March 6, 2018

My talk with the representative was wonderful but I have not had experience with the coverage yet. I believe I will be pleased. Thank you. In further notice I will let my friends and family know about CarShield So they will be covered by a good company.

Hi Robert!

Welcome to CarShield!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I received a call in response to an inquiry I made online for a warranty. I explained that although the deal sounded good I couldn't commit while on the call, that I would need to do my due diligence. The man was ultra aggressive, reminiscent of a "timeshare closer" (the guy that comes in at the end and makes you feel stupid for not signing up). When I explained that I might purchase the plan but not today, he became rude, saying, "If you knew you weren't going to buy, why did you keep me on the phone all this time?" I then remarked, "I'm sorry but you just completely removed your company from consideration." I didn't catch much else that he said, but he never stopped talking. My input was largely irrelevant during the conversation. The call was at 12:18 pm and came from 636-542-5794. Unfortunately this call was such an experience that I would never consider the company, regardless of price.

Kenneth-

We do apologize in advance if you were treated in a manner less than professional and courteous when you called into our office. We train each of our agents to be professional, kind and polite at all times.

Our Quality Assurance Team has been advised to listen to the call you made to the office on 3/1/18.

We have taken you off our mailing and calling lists. You should receive no further contact from our company.

Best Regards,

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Instruction book - I was sent a new one right away due to the fact I haven't gotten the original one they sent to me. The customer service rep I spoke with was very helpful and easy to talk to. She also answered all my questions and helped me with the change of my payment due date.

Hello Oscar!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I saw an advertisement for CarShield on TV, and I thought I would check it out. After all, they said I could get a free quote so why not, right? I entered my information, and within a few minutes a representative of CarShield called me, as expected. He confirmed my information, and then transferred me to a sales rep by the name of Matthew. Matthew started off nice, offered me a quote that I was not going to be doing so I turned down the offer. I told him a couple concerns and he offered a second quote. I tried telling Matthew multiple times that I was looking for a quick quote so I could do a little research on my own to determine the best option for my budget, and even if I could budget it. Matthew ensured me that this was in the best interest of my budget, but he was not interested in letting me actually determine my budget.

We went back and forth for a few minutes, and I continued to tell him no until I was forced to hang up on him because he was becoming rude at this point. When a company will not put a quote on the table, and allow you to think about it for even 24 hrs that is a red flag. When a company will not send you information on the plan they want you to sign up for without giving them $150 start up fee... that is another red flag. When you have to hang up on a representative because they will not take no for an answer... a third and final red flag. Perhaps this company is legit, but due to poor customer service I was never able to actually find out.

When a company will not put a quote on the table, and allow you to think about it for even 24hrs that is a red flag. When a company will not send you information on the plan they want you to sign up for without giving them $150 start up fee...that is another red flag. When you have to hang up on a representative because they will not take no for an answer...a third and final red flag. Perhaps this company is legit, but due to poor customer service I was never able to actually find out.

Brett-

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. We strive to learn from every source of input and appreciate your feedback. This call has been sent to our Quality Assurance Department to be reviewed. Re-training and/or other repercussions will be given to the representative if we deem it necessary.

We are sorry to hear that your experience was less than satisfying. We hope that you are able to find a coverage that fits your needs.

If there is anything we can do to help you in your search, please don't hesitate to give us a call back.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

CarShield was very respectful and professional and they took my concerns in to matter and got a plan to fit my budget. It's a month to month plan with unlimited mileage and it covers all my electrical system which is what I wanted. They were prompt, respectful and gave me protection I can afford. I got roadside assistance and rental car coverage also. I would recommend this to my friends and family.

Hi Donna!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

When the account was established, I knew that the automatic billing withdrawal date would be a problem. I was advised to call customer service before the withdrawal date and they would take care of the problem. I called yesterday, it was handled in a very polite manner. Thank you for that.

Hello Carolyn!

CarShield expert review by Lauren Fix

CarShield was founded in 2005 and has protected over 500,000 vehicles since then. They offer customized service plans that are specifically tailored to meet each of their customer’s needs and budget. Consumers can apply for a free quote online.

• Customizable plans: CarShield works with their customers to create truly customized plans that meet their needs and budget. This ensures that the protection plan you buy from CarShield is one that will save you money and protect your vehicle.

• 24/7 roadside assistance: CarShield’s protection plans include 24/7 roadside assistance, which means you can always get help when you need it. This also includes courtesy towing.

• Rental car provided: CarShield will provide you with a courtesy rental car so you can get on with your life while your vehicle is getting repaired.

• Transferable service contracts: Most of CarShield’s service contracts will transfer from one owner to another, which can be a major selling point when it’s time to sell your vehicle. Make sure to talk to your service representative to confirm that your contract is transferable.

• Used/pre-owned vehicles qualify: Your vehicle doesn’t need to be brand new to qualify for a service plan from CarShield. They have plans for new, used and pre-owned vehicles that can save you money on repairs and maintenance.

• Best for: CarShield’s service protection plans are best for families, new car owners and used car owners.

Profile picture of Lauren Fix
Lauren Fix

Auto & Finance Contributing Editor

Lauren Fix, also called The Car Coach, is an automotive and auto finance expert. Her understanding of vehicles has made her the “go to” person on TV, radio, print media and the Internet. She has authored multiple books and writes a column for several outlets, including Parade Magazine, NewsMax and Car Coach Reports. She is a regular guest on major news and morning shows, discussing the latest updates on cars and car financing that will help drivers make smart decisions when buying, maintaining and financing cars.

CarShield Company Information