4.3/5 (2204 ratings)
Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

About CarShield

CarShield offers customizable vehicle service contracts that cover new and used cars against malfunctions or breakdowns. Along with these extended warranties, CarShield also provides 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental vehicles. Month-to-month coverage and flexible monthly payment plans are available to fit your needs.

Pros

• More plans than many competitors
    • Contracts available in Spanish
    • Transferable warranties
    • Covers various vehicles

Cons

• Inconvenient quote process
    • Limited benefits

Bottom Line

CarShield's high points include its month-to-month and motorcycle coverage. Although CarShield's quote process isn't the best, its numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

Top CarShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Had to replace my 2018 Impala evaporator core and it would have cost me 2000.00 out of pocket if I didn't have Car Shield. I took the car to the dealership services and they took ...

Verified

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure...

What is CarShield?

CarShield is a company that offers vehicle service contracts for new and used vehicles, including motorcycles, ATVs and cars with up to 200,000 miles. The company has six contract options, almost all of which are available on a month-to-month basis, so you aren’t locked into a long-term commitment. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Most warranties are transferable too.

How much does CarShield cost?

CarShield’s rates vary widely, but you can expect prices to be under $100 a month. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so you have a full two years to pay off your extended auto warranty. If you choose a month-to-month plan, your payments will last the entirety of your coverage, though.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the company’s website, so the best way to get precise prices is to contact CarShield. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via its online form or by calling CarShield’s customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has six protection plans available for both new and used cars, offering protection from powertrain to comprehensive coverages. CarShield’s six contracts are as follows:

Silver
    Silver is CarShield’s powertrain plan and its most affordable coverage. It covers your vehicle’s:
    Gold
    Gold is Carshield’s powertrain plus plan. It covers everything the Silver plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    Platinum
    Platinum is CarShield’s comprehensive plan. It covers everything the Gold plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    • GPS
    Diamond
    Diamond is CarShield’s plan that most closely mimics a manufacturer’s warranty. It covers everything the Platinum plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    • GPS
    • Wiring harness
    Aluminum
    Aluminum covers electronics- and computer-related components, including your vehicle’s:
    • Wiring harness
    Other coverage
    CarShield’s other plans cover components on motorcycles and ATVs, including the following components, if applicable:
    • Radiator

The Diamond plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty, often referred to as a bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield. CarShield suggests the Platinum plan for older vehicles since it offers significant coverage.

The Gold plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Silver plan is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price.

The Aluminum plan covers high-tech items, and plans for motorcycles and ATVs offer customized coverage for those vehicles. For more details on costs and what each plan covers, talk to a CarShield representative.

How does CarShield work?

CarShield provides extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. These policies act as insurance against unforeseen breakdowns. When you need a repair made, go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield then pays for the covered repairs.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 200,000 miles. This limit is higher than what many extended auto warranty companies offer, so CarShield is a good choice if you have a high-mileage car.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield covers. Contracts are available in English and Spanish. Most CarShield contracts are also transferable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of your vehicle.

Additional CarShield benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental cars.

CarShield FAQ

Is CarShield a rip-off?
    No, CarShield is a legitimate company offering extended vehicle warranty plans. Before settling on any warranty company, it is important to do your research and understand its cancellation and refund policies, along with its various plan offerings. Doing this early on helps you decide what is right for you and avoid scams or rip-offs.
    How much does CarShield cost a month?
    CarShield does not offer pricing on its website, as costs vary based on your vehicle’s type, age, mileage and coverage. However, you can get a quote by calling the company’s customer service or submitting a form online through CarShield’s website.
    Does CarShield cover electrical problems?
    Yes, the Aluminum, Platinum and Diamond plans cover electrical issues.
    What doesn’t CarShield cover?
    CarShield does not cover oil changes or similar routine maintenance issues. It also does not cover oil leaks unless they are a result of engine failure and you have one of the appropriate plans.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is generally worth it. It offers a wide variety of plans, which can be especially helpful if you aren’t yet sure what kind of coverage you want. We like that it offers month-to-month contracts and motorcycle coverage — plus, having contracts available in Spanish is a big benefit if you’re not as fluent in English. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, consider CarShield.

CarShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: June 20, 2021

I have a 2012 BMW 335is. Have had the car for nine years with no issues. I joined Car Shield due to a recommendation from my mom. She has them and speaks very highly of them. I joined in Feb 2021. Had an issue with my vehicle in April. Had the car towed to the dealer. They contacted and received approval for the repairs from Car Shield. This was a great experience. I wasn't stressed out having to deal with any back and forth. BMW dealer and Car Shield were on contact with each other. I had very little worries. The repair was completed with no issues. The tow truck was scheduled by Car Shield as well.

The tow company was very informative about arrival time and was very prompt. Great customer service all around. This entire process was seamless and stress free. I did not utilize the rental car, I got a loaner vehicle from the dealer. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Car Shield. If you do not have a manufacturer warranty, I encourage you to get Car Shield. They are NOT a scam and stand behind what they offer. I will always have a vehicle warranty with them. I was not offered anything in return for my review. It is based on my own great experience with Car Shield.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I bought my vehicle used from the dealership. It came as is with no warranty. I like to have warranty on my vehicles at all times because repairs are pricey. I called for a quote. My vehicle qualified for the gold coverage plan which is fantastic because it covers everything on a vehicle that you need for your vehicle to run anyway. It covers transmission, engine, starter, alternator, fuel system, a/c... pretty much all the important stuff. I got a fantastic monthly quote and now I feel less stressed because I know CarShield will take care of me if anything happens to my vehicle.

There was a mix up with my VIN number (it was my fault) so when they sent me my contract it showed my wife’s vehicle instead of my truck. I called customer service and she was so helpful and understanding, she did a quick fix and put the correct VIN number with no problem. I have received nothing but fantastic customer service from CarShield since my first initial call. I would highly recommend CarShield to anyone who doesn’t have warranty but needs it or just likes to have it for peace of mind. I told my dad about CarShield and he got his car covered as well. He agrees that this company is awesome! I’ll be using them for years to come!

Original review: April 30, 2021

I felt this was the most spectacular, helpful, courteous and kind customer service representative they got me re-signed up that I have ever experienced. If I had a working for my company I would have her trained and every one of my customer service employees matter fact every one of my employees. Just because of her ability to be able to diffuse the situation make you feel good about it and all the time being jolly and joyous she took a horrible day weather for horrible sick outcome for my medical issues and turned around my entire day that will last me throughout all of next week.

It was nice to have faith back in the human race that there are people out there that cure a little bit more and see a little bit further than just what's right in front of them. God bless this woman and I hope that there's some way that you can accommodate this lady and recognize her for the great deed that she did and representing your company she made it very obviously is she respects the company she works for, has complete faith in confidence in your company and is it very dedicated Car Shield employee. Again God bless her and thank her for all the help.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Hello I'm Bridgette ** currently an American Car Shield Policy holder **. Please see the attached contract that was emailed to me on Mar 17th 2021. I called inquiring on preventive maintenance for free tire rotation and oil change per year several weeks ago. I was told that you didn't offer that type of coverage and I stated, when I purchased the contract it was offered to me. So I requested a copy of my contract, Please see the attached. This is what was emailed to me as my policy I have just requested. I have been paying for a policy for coverage that has no record of existence. I called in just to note I'm taking my car in for an issue which would hopefully speed up the repair time by doing this.

I stated I was having a problem with my radio screen flash and not working properly and when accelerating it's sluggish accelerating up to higher speed. I have called several times, I've been transferred, hung up on, left messages for a manager to contact me, no response this has been going on for several days trying to get to the right department, actually there may be a problem that needs to be addressed, having difficulties with your transferring to another department. I really don't believe I would have gotten hung up on that many times without being rude.

Thank GOD for Kiara receiving my phone call today giving me clarity on how this could have possibly happened. When I called in to update my credit card information, and wanted to use my pre-maintenance service that was available to me at start up, but for some reason It's not on my policy, So I ask for a copy of my contract to be sent to me. This is what I received this attachment.

It has been stated to me that is a dummy contract, why would Jennifer ** send me a dummy contract for an existing policy? Now that I may need this coverage this is not on my policy, so why was it sent to me as my policy? I didn't check for a contract number. It was emailed from American Car Shield, which I personally have not had any problems with, but I have heard some complaints, since I hadn't had any issues. I choose to continue my coverage. Please Address this and do what's right by honoring what you sent to me. On the Addendum Page 13 of 13 of the attached document I can be reached at ** or by email. Please leave a message if I'm unable to take your call.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Purchased a contract with Car Shield based on your promise announced in your commercials. BUT reality was unclear. Didn't realize you would ONLY pay for repairs, and I would have to pay unforeseeable out-of-pocket labor costs, PLUS find a qualified car repair shop that accepts Car Shield first. My husband and I are very busy, but this method doubles our workload. (We live in an area with limited qualified car shops.)

Because of COVID19, I am currently unemployed and can no longer afford your monthly deductions from my account. Your customer service reps tried to save my account, and I appreciate their efforts. But I don't have the time nor money to continue to find a qualified car repair shop AND to pay you and the car repair shop for labor, too.

Therefore, I have no other choice but to CANCEL my account with Car Shield. Please inform MEPCO to stop deductions from my account. I really hope you re-engineer your business model to protect your reputation and ensure long-term sustainability. Since I have more than 11 years of B2C and B2B marketing experience, let me know if I can help you in anyway. Thank you.

CarShield response

Hey Norma,

Please note: We cannot accept cancellations here. You must contact us for this to process.

In terms of your claim, I see we are paying $568 on your window motor. We pay parts and labor. We use a nationally recognized labor guide to determine hours needed to repair parts and some repair facilities choose to overcharge for labor. In those cases, we recommend going with a different repair facility because they are overcharging and it will leave you paying more out of pocket than necessary.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Chris was so nice to help me find what department I needed. She gave me Angie! And what a gem she is! She's the nicest person, very helpful and listened to everything that I had to say! She definitely is a keeper for your company!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

Customer service was great, great value for my money, I really do not know what you want to say other than I had good contact with your rep., I hope I never have to use this protection but if do I hope you will fulfill your part.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

It's been going on 3 weeks. The two week ends Wednesday of this week and I still haven't heard a thing about my car. The only way that I know what's going on with it is if I call. I had to go buy another car because I couldn't keep paying on a rental. I'm very unhappy with your services or lack of them.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

CarShield is something that is so nice to have, whether it is a dead battery or major issue. Check them out today. Without this service you are taking a chance and for me it is not worth it. So I hope you will do yourself a favor and get it today.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

The service person I talk with was very courteous and provided all the information clearly.. I had car trouble and she offered to connect me with the needed department. However, I did not want the service as of now due to my time factor. Thank you.

CarShield Company Information