4.5/5 (2105 ratings)
View Pricing
Call Center Open

About CarShield

CarShield offers customizable vehicle service contracts that cover new and used cars against malfunctions or breakdowns. Along with these extended warranties, CarShield also provides 24/7 roadside assistance, towing and rental vehicles. Month-to-month coverage and flexible monthly payment plans are available to fit your needs.

Pros

• More plans than many competitors offer
    • Plans start at $79 per month
    • Month-to-month plans available
    • Covers cars with up to 300,000 miles

Cons

• Rental reimbursement isn’t standard

Bottom Line

CarShield's high points include its month-to-month and motorcycle coverage. Although CarShield's quote process isn't the best, its numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

Top CarShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Verified

Had to replace my 2018 Impala evaporator core and it would have cost me 2000.00 out of pocket if I didn't have Car Shield. I took the car to the dealership services and they took ...

Verified

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure...

What is CarShield?

CarShield offers vehicle service contracts for new and used vehicles, including motorcycles, ATVs and cars with up to 300,000 miles. The company has six contract options, almost all of which are available on a month-to-month basis, so you aren’t locked into a long-term commitment. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Most warranties are transferable too.

CarShield cost

CarShield’s rates vary widely, but you can expect prices to be under $100 a month. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so you have a full two years to pay off your extended auto warranty. If you choose a month-to-month plan, your payments will last the entirety of your coverage, though.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the company’s website, so the best way to get precise prices is to contact CarShield. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via its online form or by calling CarShield’s customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has six protection plans available for both new and used cars, offering protection from powertrain to comprehensive coverages. CarShield’s six contracts are as follows:

Diamond
    Diamond is CarShield’s plan that most closely mimics a manufacturer’s warranty. It covers everything the Platinum plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    • GPS
    • Wiring harness
    Platinum
    Platinum is CarShield’s comprehensive plan. It covers everything the Gold plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    • GPS
    Gold
    Gold is Carshield’s powertrain plus plan. It covers everything the Silver plan does and more, including your vehicle’s:
    Silver
    Silver is CarShield’s powertrain plan and its most affordable coverage. It covers your vehicle’s:
    Aluminum
    Aluminum covers electronics- and computer-related components, including your vehicle’s:
    • Wiring harness
    Other coverage
    CarShield’s other plans cover components on motorcycles and ATVs, including the following components, if applicable:
    • Radiator

The Diamond plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty, often referred to as a bumper-to-bumper warranty. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield. CarShield suggests the Platinum plan for older vehicles since it offers significant coverage.

The Gold plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Silver plan is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price.

The Aluminum plan covers high-tech items, and plans for motorcycles and ATVs offer customized coverage for those vehicles. For more details on costs and what each plan covers, talk to a CarShield representative.

How does CarShield work?

CarShield provides extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. These policies act as financial protection against unforeseen breakdowns. When you need a repair made, go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield then pays for the covered repairs.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 300,000 miles. This limit is higher than what many extended auto warranty companies offer, so CarShield is a good choice if you have a high-mileage car.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield covers. Contracts are available in English and Spanish. Most CarShield contracts are also transferable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of your vehicle.

Additional CarShield benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental cars.

CarShield FAQ

Is CarShield a rip-off?

No, CarShield is a legitimate company offering extended vehicle warranty plans. Before settling on any warranty company, it is important to do your research and understand its cancellation and refund policies, along with its various plan offerings. Doing this early on helps you decide what is right for you and avoid scams or rip-offs.

How much does CarShield cost a month?

CarShield does not offer pricing on its website, as costs vary based on your vehicle’s type, age, mileage and coverage. However, you can get a quote by calling the company’s customer service or submitting a form online through CarShield’s website.

Does CarShield cover electrical problems?

Yes, the Aluminum, Platinum and Diamond plans cover electrical issues.

What doesn’t CarShield cover?

CarShield does not cover oil changes or similar routine maintenance issues. It also does not cover oil leaks unless they are a result of engine failure and you have one of the appropriate plans.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is a solid option, depending on your warranty needs. It offers a wide variety of plans, which can be especially helpful if you aren’t yet sure what kind of coverage you want. We like that it offers month-to-month contracts and motorcycle coverage — plus, having contracts available in Spanish is a big benefit if you’re not as fluent in English. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, consider CarShield.

CarShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I called your company because I learned that my account was not paid due to the fact that I forgot to tell your company that my account was compromised so the bank locked my card. I called and made the proper arrangement made a payment on my Ram and I also I thought in my right mind that the jeep was also going to be covered. Well now I learned that the jeep was not covered so I will be calling in the morning sometimes after 11 o’clock to figure out what the problem is and also when I made the payment for the ram they wrote back to me and said payment went through for an Infiniti. I don’t own an Infiniti of me advise that if this doesn’t get solved and keep making errors on my account professionally, I don’t want anything to do with your company. I will close the account OK so this is it this is my last chance your last chance as well. Please do not call until after 11 o’clock you will not. I say again you will not get to speak to me before that.

CarShield response

Sorry to hear there may have been confusion about your coverage. Give us a call sometime and we can go over your policy and answer any questions you have.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

When I initially called to join CarShield (I Called!), I didn't know before but I know now that the customer service representative did not give me all of the different plan details I needed to make a good informed decision as to which plan to select. It was more like he chose for me. In fact the representative I spoke with was kind of pushy and intimidating. He was short with me and aggressive in my opinion but I still acquired the service because I knew I needed to get the protection.

It was not until I remembered that I even had Car Shield, because I forgot, that I realized Car Shield had specific plans. Plans to cover emissions. This was disappointing because I didn't know about that plan. So, I would just have to say, when your representatives speak to a potential customer who initiated the call themselves, give the customer the choice to choose their own plan. I wish I had the full plan but CarShield did pay for my transmission repair and I am grateful for that. I just couldn't afford to pay for the additional repairs with my emissions. Ugh!

CarShield response

We're sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, the plans that you qualify for are based on your vehicle's year, make, model and mileage. When you set up your coverage, it had too many miles to qualify for a plan covering emissions. We are happy to hear that we were able to assist you with your transmission, though. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to give us a call.

Original review: July 13, 2022

I requested review of a claim made by a Jag dealership. I felt that something was amiss from their call explaining the diagnosis. They failed on even simple issues, neglecting to install new wiper blades as I requested. Worse still, they didn’t didn’t even offer me the choice to buy repairs. CarShield declined the claim and Long story short: the diagnosis was incorrect on both of my issues! CarShield realized that they were given 2 conflicting reports which caused them to decline. I would have put the repairs on my credit card and been furious when it wasn’t fixed.

I am a retired Service Manager from the auto dealership universe. Nothing Palm Beach Jaguar did met the mark. Everything CarShied did met the mark ++. A low performing dealer is aa affront because of their premium pricing. I spent many happy years in that business, working hard to be “worth” the premium. Causing clients to suffer a crisis of confidence in the dealer as well as in their Jag is an enormous disservice. I am pleasantly surprised (understatement) to find a such a high ethical standard n my extended warranty co. Thanks Again!

P.S. The accident and subsequent events undermined my ability to trust people. I’ve undergone brain surgery, am scheduled for neck/lumbar surgery to relieve some of the pain. So, finding that CarShield was a Great decision boosted my confidence.

CarShield response

Thank you for your review and we are always here to help. Please give us a call if you need anything else!

Original review: July 13, 2022

CarShield had us covered from beginning to end. The car dealership that tried to rip us off And buy a whole new engine when we didn't need it all. We needed was a fuel pump not a whole new engine. Thankfully thanks to Carshield our car is back up and running and I don't need to dish out $8000 for a whole new engine. Thank you so much.

CarShield response

Thank you for the kind words. We are pleased to hear you found our service helpful! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Original review: March 20, 2022

Well, where to began... As a newly single parent and prices skyrocketing everywhere, vehicle repairs is something I did not want to see at any given point yet what is man made will fail so here I am facing a bill larger than my rent (nearly 3x over) and I was just into my 2nd week of starting my new career. I had not even gotten paid from my new job and was just living off of my unemployment. I was still making sure Car Shield was getting paid even though I had my doubts and I had a little one to provide for. I heard of scams before and really didn't stand in the position of becoming broke by being scammed yet again like before with different things. I sat there looking at my little one at the repair shop, N.T.B. and scared on the inside and smiling on the outside.

The repair shop and CarShield were on the phone a good minute and I just reminded myself that I was going to keep my new job even if I had to walk to make sure we were okay. The repair/sales gentleman came back with news stating, "that worse case scenario you will have to okay out $354.00 out of $2,600.00+." I held in my tears that moment and constantly told him, "Thank you." I sat back and thought, this car shield is no joke and I needed to provide them both with good reviews. I still didn't have even that much to pay but when I left my vehicle there overnight till Monday, I made sure to still count my blessings and look at little one and told them hey when you get your first vehicle make sure to get CarShield and get the diamond plan.

I picked up my vehicle that Monday and paid only $254.04 out of a $$2,600.00+ vehicle repair bill all thanks to Car Shield and the wonderful people who understood my position during times like this. I WILL RECOMMEND CAR SHIELD TO ANYONE AND EVERYONE just as I did that day of payment to the customers inside the repair shop and at work when I was fortunate enough to drive back to work in my repaired vehicle with tears in my eye, a great full heart, and a few dollars left to purchase my little one a Chick-fil-A nugget meal, and gas. I may have not had enough for anything else (yes bills were already paid) but what little I did have I made sure to see my little one smile and to have a tank of gas in my Car Shield paid running vehicle to help me get back and forth to work. Thank you Car Shield so much.

CarShield response

We are so happy to hear this, and are glad we were able to help! Let us know if we can be of further assistance in the future!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

Experience with outside factors changed my interest in continuing with your service. I will be more specific as I receive the initial contract in overlooking Exactly what is and not covered. That is all at this time and consideration for resubmitting my decision at that time.

CarShield response

We appreciate your support and review. If you have any questions about your policy don't hesitate to give us a call!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

You have one story and the Ford dealer tells me another one. The truck did not run right. They ran 3 hours of tests to tell me it was a oil change and a air filter. **. Rebine Ford and Car shield are screwing me over at least 3$300 dollars of this bill. It's car shield's.

CarShield response

We're sorry that you feel this way. We show that your repair facility advised that the cause of failure was the air filter, which is normal routine maintenance on the vehicle, and not eligible for coverage under any of our contracts. Hopefully we can help you on the next one.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

My phone call was answered in a prompt. courteous and professional manner by your sales representative. She explained the different programs that were offered and what was included in the packages along with the price ranges and deductibles. After the program guidelines and prices were explained to me, any and all questions and concerns were answered.

CarShield response

Thanks for the review and welcome to CarShield! Thank you for choosing us! We want to make sure you're completely satisfied with your policy, so please contact us with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your coverage.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

The gentlemen I spoke with were very, pleasant and patient. I have referred your company to my friends. I also asked the person at Morgan Chevrolet for his opinion, and he gave good reviews for your warranty. They do a lot of work with Carshield.

CarShield response

We're happy to hear this. Let us know if you need anything else.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2023

The call was great. Customer service answer all my questions. She even told me everything I needed to know about my policy and how it works. I'm glad I have Carshield. It's one of the best car coverage out there.

CarShield response

We appreciate your time and we are glad you took the opportunity to protect your vehicle. If you have any questions give us a call!

CarShield Company Information