ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.02/5
Visit Website

At CarShield, we offer plans to fit every wallet and every vehicle. Whether you've purchased a brand new car, or looking for additional coverage on old car, we have comprehensive comparisons to find the right package for you. Flexible payment plans, coverage on pricey items like transmissions and 24-hour roadside assistance are just a few of the features offered in our customizable plans. Call or visit our site today to find the right coverage for you, and start driving with peace of mind.

CarShield Video
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

CarShield’s high points transferable warranties, motorcycle coverage and many plans. Although CarShield’s quote process isn’t the best, their numerous plans and lax vehicle requirements make finding the right coverage easy.

PROS

• More plans than most competitors
  • Contracts available in Spanish
  • Transferrable warranties
  • Covers motorcycles in addition to cars

CONS

• Inconvenient quote process
  • Limited benefits

Top CarShield Reviews

Customer Service is outstanding! Understood my needs and quickly took care of my request. I highly recommend CarShield for car protection.

It was a wonderful experience for me to see that CarShield really care about their customer. I told them I couldn't pay my bill and they went beyond and out their way to make sure I was able to afford my plan.

What is CarShield?

CarShield is a company offering extended auto warranties for new and used vehicles. CarShield has 31 contract options available to customers. Contracts are available both in English and Spanish. Warranties are also available for motorcycles, ATVs and vehicles with up to 250,000 miles on them. Most warranties can be transferred as well.

How much does CarShield cost?

CarShield rates can vary widely. However, you can expect a Carshield warranty price to be roughly 4 cents per mile on the car. CarShield has a maximum payment schedule of 24 months, so customers have a full two years to pay off their extended auto warranty.

Details like contract lengths, deductibles and other fees are not available on the website, so the best way to get precise Carshield prices is to contact the company. It’s common for extended auto warranty companies to have minimal pricing information on their websites. You can get a free quote from CarShield by submitting your information via their online form or by calling and speaking to CarShield customer service. CarShield reviews do mention that the quote process can be tricky, with salespeople preferring to call about quotes rather than emailing.

What does CarShield cover?

CarShield has 31 contracts available for customers. This is seven to eight times more than most competitors. The majority of these contracts fit into six broad levels of coverage: New Car, Comprehensive, Powertrain+, Powertrain, High Tech and Motorcycle/ATV.

The New Car plan is similar to a manufacturer’s warranty. This is often known as a bumper-to-bumper plan. It is the most extensive plan offered by CarShield and will cover almost any repair you might need. CarShield suggests the Comprehensive plan for used vehicles. It offers the second most coverage of CarShield’s plans. The Powertrain+ plan is billed as a good option both for used and high-mileage vehicles, while the Powertrain plan (no plus) is CarShield’s most basic and affordable plan. This is a good choice if you want simple coverage at a low price. The High Tech plan and Motorcycle/ATV plans offer customized coverage for high-tech items and alternatives to cars. For more details on costs and what they cover talk to a CarShield representative.

Powertrain plan
High tech plan
  • Wiring harness
Motorcycle plan

How does CarShield work?

CarShield works by providing extended auto warranties for new and used cars. This acts as insurance on your car in case of an unforeseen breakdown. When you need a repair made, you can just go to an ASE-certified repair facility, file a claim and pay a small deductible. CarShield pays the rest.

CarShield offers coverage for cars with up to 250,000 miles. This is on the higher end of coverage for most extended auto warranty companies, so if you have a car with high mileage, CarShield is a good choice.

Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your contract so you fully understand what CarShield will cover. Contracts are provided in English and Spanish. Most contracts are also transferrable, meaning the warranty can still cover the car even if you sell it. This can increase the value of the vehicle for sale. CarShield’s coverage for motorcycles and ATVs also sets it apart from other extended auto warranty companies. Additional benefits include towing, roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

Is CarShield worth it?

CarShield is well worth it, especially if you aren’t sure yet what kind of coverage you want with an extended auto warranty, because CarShield offers a wide variety of plans that will satisfy most consumers. Having contracts available in Spanish is helpful to those whose primary language is Spanish. Coverage for motorcycles is another standout feature. If you’re looking for an extended auto warranty with a solid reputation behind it, you can’t go wrong with CarShield.

CarShield Reviews

View 5 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

CarShield paid what the contract stated to replace a water pump on my 2008 Jaguar Type S. I bought the car two months ago with 26500 miles. I also purchased CarShield prior to picking up the car. With 27600 miles the water pump started leaking and I took it to my Foreign Car Garage, gave them the information and they did the rest. Now anyone thinking the total bill, less a $100 deductible would be paid hasn’t read the contract. The contracts plainly states that the covered cost of any repairs will be done at the least expensive cost.

That means they will only pay for or credit you with the cheapest parts available, not the Original Manufacturer part. Well, my repair shop will not put on anything but the original manufacturer part, and I’m glad. A new Jaguar water pump cost $265.00 and the cheapest Remanufactured pump was $65.00. I had to pay the extra $200.00. It also needed a new $75.00 drive belt that was showing age they wouldn’t pay for because it is an age related item and considered a preexisting condition. They did pay the labor on everything which was $340.00 plus $65.00 for the pump for a total of $405.00 but the deductible made it around $305.00 they paid on a $750.00 bill.

I have had this coverage for two months at $130 a month and another monthly payment this week, I have paid them $390.00 and gotten back $405.00. The question now is it worth it. Having put over 1200 miles on the car I pretty well know the condition of everything and fairly certain the engine and drive train are in good condition that I’m considering dropping the coverage. I think that I will be better ahead to put that $130.00 into an account until it's needed for more expensive future repairs. Jim

Hi Jimmy,

We appreciate your time and we are glad you took the opportunity to protect your vehicle. If you have any questions give us a call!

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I had an older vehicle at home that needed a extended warranty, and CarShield was very affordable and very reasonable. The guy explaining the warranty to me was very clear on what was covered and how the protection worked. He was very knowledgeable and gave me a lot of information. When I got the engine repaired, the process was just as everything that had happened especially in today’s society. I knew I was gonna encounter some BS. I was going on a cross country trip and I was hearing some sluggish, and I took it to the Lexus dealership. But I was not interested in what they quoted me. I told them it was drivable, and I just noticed some sluggishness in it. So I told them to put it back together and I would come and get it. They put it back together, and I went and got it.

When I got the vehicle and drove it, it felt like it was worse than what it was when I took it in there. So I brought it back and told them to contact the extended warranty people and that was what they did. Then they called me back to tell me that the warranty people said my vehicle was covered. I was shocked. The warranty people were not talking to me, but they were talking to the car dealership. So when I got in contact with the warranty people, that part became a hassle because I had to talk to different people, and not a special agent handling the case. Everybody had to go in to read what was said by somebody who documented something. But I found it to be more helpful talking to different people because different people are more knowledgeable in the engine build and in special stuff that’s going on with different vehicles.

When I initially called in, CarShield said my vehicle was covered. So they sent out a tech to go to Lexus to check it out. Once they made it there, they said that they needed to do further diagnostics on the vehicle that requires them to break down the engine. They said that once they break the engine down and determined that they don’t cover it, the break down would be on me and also the rest of the stuff. But if it was not covered, they wouldn’t have sent a tech out to Lexus to look at it. I told them I got a cracked windshield, and they said they don’t need to send a tech out to look at a cracked windshield. And that they already know a cracked windshield is not covered. So what's not covered is in black and white.

Every time I call somebody, I’m getting different people and I don’t have any problem, but I need someone to explain it to me as if I’m a two year old. So that was when the guy started breaking it down to me. And then he told me that he was reading the contract and they had a less experienced technician who told me my vehicle was not covered. He would have been right if the part that was faulty was not part of the engine. But the part that was faulty is built in the engine, so I was covered. It was great. I was not expecting it. The only thing was that I had to go through different channels to get the answer to what I needed. And for regular everyday people, that could be a hassle. But overall, I am very satisfied with the experience of having CarShield. It saved me so much money. It’s a great plan and organization.

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the review and we appreciate your support. If you have any questions don't hesitate to give us a call!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

CarShield cancelled me because we had a conflict in the contract. When I signed up for it, it was fine. Then the car had a problem so I took it back to Chevrolet to get it fixed. CarShield paid for the first time they got it fixed, but there was a problem. When I took it back to Chevrolet, they discovered that there was another problem so they sent the guy out to look at the car. But they didn’t approve the work because I do Uber with this car.

I tried to talk to them about it and I explained to them that their contract needs to specify Uber drivers. They’re doing it in yesterday’s world. In today’s world, we have Uber, Lyft, and different things going on that people use their cars for. When they had asked me the question was I gonna use it for commercial, I paused because I didn’t know if they considered Uber commercial. It’s my personal car, and I’m choosing to do what I do with the car. That doesn’t really fall under commercial and that’s how I explained it to their guy.

The contract should specifically state out Uber, Lyft, or any kind of food delivery services. Then when a person will say, “Yes, I do Uber,” then it could be for a different price. They kinda messed me up because if I knew that was the case, I could’ve gone with another company, and I still will be with that company. Now, I got more miles on the car so it’s gonna cost me more for the extended warranty on the car. But I don’t think there’s a problem with CarShield itself. The guy did come out and I didn’t see anything wrong with the company at all. I just think that the wording in their contract needs to be improved.

Marvin,

Thank you for the review. If you car is used for work it's a different type of coverage. We asked if it was and there was probably just some confusion about what we meant. We'd be happy to get you into a different coverage plan. Just give us a call!

Original review: July 30, 2019

I researched the warranty companies before I decided on who to go with. CarShield had a lifetime warranty like a lot of them and had a good rating with Consumer Reports. Even people who had other plans said that CarShield was great. I got many calls saying, “We could do better in price and we could do better in this and that,” and I would tell them that I already have a warranty. I'm gonna try to renew it again, but depending on the price because CarShield is a little higher than some of the other people that I've researched.

I do a lot by ConsumerAffairs on what they’re rating, which was how I made my choice to go with CarShield. They're not the only people I use, but they are the most popular that most people will send reviews to compared to other places that do the same thing. They seem to have the majority of the people. So, if one company only has 600 and ConsumerAffairs has 3,000 and with the 3,000 if CarShield got an 80 and the other people have 500 and they only get 90, I can't go with that because the ratio is not as good.

When purchasing my warranty for a Q5 2011, the first rep that I had was incredible. She was amazing and very personable, the whole nine yards. She just bought a car herself and got CarShield for it. When I went to transfer the warranty over to another Q5, 2012 because some drunk driver totaled my car out, I dealt with two men and I wasn’t happy. When I bought this car, it was practically new and it hadn't been even out of the 50,000-mile for Audi itself. It only had 35,000. I originally had 100,000 and I already paid nine months into CarShield. The service was great and I had no problems when I took my car to be serviced.

The car was fixed, somebody was sent out and they looked at whatever needed to be done. That part was all smooth but the part that wasn’t smooth was that they’re gonna increase me six or eight more payments and the warranty will only be 75,000 miles versus 100,000. So, I asked the guy why I would only get 75,000 miles and why I had to pay an additional six or eight months. He told me that they had to pay $300 for something that I had fixed on the Q11, and they had another service for whatever. This car had two big issues and I'm sure the bill was well over $3,000 but all those things was factored into what I was gonna pay. And so, if I use my policy that I paid CarShield for, it's gonna cost me money if I wanna renew it or get a new one. So, that really didn't go over very well with me. I’m still about 20,000 miles away from 75,000 miles but I don't know if I'm gonna go that way again.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The credit union that I deal with would not give me a full bumper-to-bumper extended warranty on my ’08 Corvette. They would only give me an engine and power train. I got something in the mail from CarShield and it said that I could call and talk to them. So I called the number and talked to one of the reps. The rep said they could give me a full bumper-to-bumper warranty. It was a little more than the credit union, but it covered a lot more. It sounded like a good deal.

I've had many extended warranty services and I cancel them as soon as I have the actual brochure and I have read it through about three times, and I know what they'll cover and what they'll not cover. As soon as they try and pull a fast one and say, “Well, that might have been covered,” I tell them, “No, no, no. It says right here in black and white on this piece of paper, you're covering that part.” When they then try to pull some funny business, I tell them that they're done. They're not standing up to what they say they are.

Right on the get-go, I had some gasket leaks on the Corvette. It was found when an oil change was being done on the car. I double-checked with the book to see what CarShield was covering, and sure enough, it said that, “We cover all engine and rear-end gaskets from leaking.” I knew that I was 100% covered. But then, it happened that the CD changer in the car quit loading at the same time. So I looked it up as well and I said, “No, it covers factory to factory CD warranty on a radio.” So, all three things I was 100% positive are supposed to be covered and there shouldn’t be any problems. I told that to the Chevy dealership, asked them to call CarShield and have a deductible.

The person at the dealership called back and said that a CarShield rep was coming out to go over everything that we had written down. He'd be there in two days and then he'd say yes or no on everything. I said, “Okay, fine. We'll see how good CarShield is gonna be.” The rep did come out and the Chevy service writer called me up and said that they were covering everything, that they were very good. He even added that they were gonna cover some of the loops that were coming out. I asked how was the CarShield guy and I was told that he was great. CarShield was very fair and they did exactly what they said they were gonna do, and everything that was in writing, they covered.

Hi Rodman!

Thank you for your support and we look forward to continuing our business with you! If there's anything you need, please give us a call.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CarShield?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We are glad that we got CarShield when we bought our new car. We know from advertisements on TV that should we need added help with our car, it will be available. It gives us great peace of mind! It is better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

My labor time of 40 yrs. 1/2 working classified for A/ F. Thus far a positive reply time ahead looks positive, time will reveal true standing. Keep it strong! I will expect an ongoing process of successful and helpful assistance if necessary. Thanks!

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your time and review. If you have any questions give us a call!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Car ran hot. The tow guy was very prompt and professional. I had a pleasant experience. Not only did I have to get it towed 3 times but my warranty covered every tow. The customer service was awesome and they stay on the line with me until the towing company arrived.

Hi Saprena,

Thank you for your review and we are always here to help. Please give us a call if you need anything else!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I had in the beginning in January but I had to cancelled but I am impressed the service. When I called they have my info ready. That blow me away...I will be back. There no pressure and it all nice and calm. I also glad they are member of Triple A....

Hi William,

We're sorry to see you go. If things change and you need coverage, please give us a call!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Great service today. Working on getting my account in order. So in the future I would not have any problems. And yes I would highly recommend Car Shield to my family and friends. i have been doing so since I joined a few years ago. So I can only say keep up the good work and your customer service reps are great and to the point. They also they give you a better understanding of all the services that CS provides.

Hi George,

We're happy to help! Let us know if you need anything else.

CarShield Company Information