Best Home Security System Companies
Before shopping for a home security system, you have to decide what level of protection you need. 24/7 monitoring of your home can give you peace of mind in the event of a home invasion, fire or other emergencies. Our guide will help you decipher which home security system is best by comparing prices, plans and customer satisfaction.
Compare Top Home Security System Reviews
|Protect Your Home|
Read 1362 Reviews
Customize your own security system starting at $27.99 per month with a 3-year contract. Home automation with ADT Pulse provides remote control of your home, live stream video and more and can be run through their mobile app.
|toll freenumber (877) 201-1895 Learn More|
Read 11139 Reviews
Vivint offers home security and home automation services to customers throughout the United States and Canada and completely customizable systems. Pricing starts at $39.99/month and includes 24/7 monitoring.
|toll freenumber (866) 906-0149 Learn More|
Read 2570 Reviews
Choose from three plan options and get the cheapest alarm monitoring at $28.99 per month with a 36-month contract or upgrade to complete smart home automation. DIY system installation with a price-match guarantee.
|toll freenumber (888) 951-5154 Learn More|
Read 151 Reviews
Choose from several wireless home alarm system packages with no contract required. Offers the cheapest alarm monitoring starting at $14.99 per month with a 60-day money back guarantee.
Read 9 Reviews
Professional monitoring, easy setup and affordable plans with no contract required. Get notified and request emergency assistance via text or talk. They offer a 60-day money back guarantee.
Read 1865 Reviews
Choose from 3 home alarm plans starting at $30.99 per month with a 36-month contract. Control lights, locks, cameras, thermostat and more with a home automation system. No installation fees, plus a 30-day money-back guarantee.
|toll freenumber (855) 830-3776 Learn More|
Read 1974 Reviews
Customize your own security system package starting at $36.99 per month with a 3-year contract. Home automation with smart home and energy management solutions available. System installation with a $99 activation fee.
|toll freenumber (844) 277-9642 Learn More|
|Alder Security||Read Reviews|
Home security company with a basic package starting at $34.99 a month. Response times are quick, including for medical emergencies. DIY installation takes under 30 minutes.
|Brinks Home Security™|
Read 3080 Reviews
Choose from 2 home security plans starting at $19.99 per month for a 3-year agreement. Control your system with a mobile app or the system hub. Cellular backup included with monitoring. DIY and professional installation available.
Read 9851 Reviews
Offers smart security and home automation. Shop from 3 packages with a monthly fee of $39.95 for alarm monitoring with a 3-year contract. Professionally installed alarm systems with no activation fees.
|toll freenumber (888) 832-8671 Learn More|
Read 3111 Reviews
Choose from 3 different alarm system plans starting at $29.99 per month with a 3-year contract. Free activation for DIY home security systems or professional installation is available for purchase.
Read 998 Reviews
Choose from 5 different packages starting at $36.99 with a 3-year contract. Both landline and wireless home alarm systems are available, professionally installed with a 6-month money-back guarantee.
|CPI Security Systems|
Read 369 Reviews
Monitoring plans start at $29.99 per month and have a minimum contract of 39 months. All systems are professionally installed.
Read 36 Reviews
Choose from several in-home alarm systems with no contract required. Packages start at $35 per month. Each security alarm comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read 7684 Reviews
Choose from 3 package options with monthly pricing starting at $34.99 with a 3-year contract. DIY alarm system installation with no setup fees and a 30-day risk-free trial.
Home security system costs
How much is a home security system?
A basic home security system costs about $30 per month, which includes monitoring and equipment rental. Adding more security cameras and sensors will likely cost extra, with most home security system prices ranging between $20–$60/month. Before choosing a home security company, consider the cost of home security system installation and activation fees, as well as whether or not you plan to buy your security equipment outright.
- Home security equipment costs: You'll likely catch a price break on equipment in exchange for signing a contract to have your alarm system monitored. If you purchase a system outright, expect to pay $100+ for a basic system and $500+ for top-of-the-line equipment.
- Municipal fees for alarm permits: Some cities charge a yearly permit fee, often less than $50, to respond to emergency calls triggered by monitored home security systems. Even in the event of a false alarm, police will still respond, which can drain police resources over time. The permit fee helps offset this cost. Permit fees are not collected by the alarm companies, so it is important for homeowners to remember to pay this fee on their own.
How much does a home security system cost to install?
Home security system installation costs depend on your method of installation. Professionally installed alarm systems can cost $100–$500+. The DIY method is free, but it requires more of your time. Some companies allow you to choose your installation method, while others require professional installation.
How much does a home security system save on insurance?
Many home insurance providers offer discounts (even up to 20 percent) for homes with monitored alarm systems. So if you pay $1,000 for your homeowner's insurance annually and get a 10 percent discount, you’ll save $100 each year on your insurance simply for having a monitored home security system.
DIY vs. professional home security
There are two basic installation options you can choose from: professional installation and DIY installation. If you're thinking about purchasing a wireless home security system, you'll usually have the option to set it up yourself or hire a professional to do it for you. Most hardwired systems, however, require professional installation.
- Professionally installed by the home alarm company: Many complex alarm systems, usually those that are hardwired into a home, require professional installation. This usually carries a hefty cost ($200–$500+), although some companies offer discount installation.
- DIY home alarm system: Do-it-yourself security systems are generally easy to install, often requiring just a few hours to read the manual and place your sensors. These security systems are recommended for renters because they are portable and offer short-term or no-contract plans, like Simplisafe or Frontpoint.
- Third-party professional installation: If you purchase a DIY system but aren't a DIYer, you can hire a local handy person to do your installation at an hourly rate.
Types of security systems
Wireless vs. wired security system
- Wireless home security systems: Wireless home security systems are minimally invasive in terms of installation. They use a series of battery-powered devices such as motion detectors and door and window sensors. This type of home alarm monitoring does not require a landline as it communicates via radio and cellular technology.
- Wired security system: Wired security systems require an active landline and reside within the structure of the home. The system’s sensors are physically connected to the control panel through wires within the walls. Installing a wired security system will require some drilling and modification.
Monitored vs. unmonitored security systems
- Monitored home security systems: Monitored home wireless security systems are monitored by an outside monitoring center 24/7. Your system needs to be able to communicate with your monitoring center 24/7 through your landline, cell phone or broadband connection. You can still have a wireless security system if you use a landline to communicate with your monitoring center, however, a cell phone is more reliable since the line can’t be cut in the event of a break in. Broadband is capable of making contact with your monitoring center four times faster than a landline and is the cheapest option, although it can be less reliable than using a cell phone.
- Unmonitored home security systems: Unmonitored, also known as self-monitored, home security systems are not monitored by an outside center, which means there is no additional monthly fee associated with them. Instead, you self-monitor your home by receiving alerts on your cell phone whenever there is activity inside your home. It’s up to you to call the authorities if you believe there is a break-in. While you save money by not paying a monthly fee, you don’t have the peace of mind of knowing that someone else will contact the authorities in the event of an emergency.
Smart home security systems
Smart home security systems focus on convenience and are remotely controlled using a smartphone and an app. They are highly customizable in terms of installation, type of surveillance and cost. Smart home security systems alert homeowners in emergencies as well as monitor and control household items like lights, locks and doors.
Home alarm and security system expert reviews
Choose from 3 wireless security system packages for $34.99-$49.99 a month. Systems are self-installed and include 24/7 monitoring, crash and smash technology along with fire and medical protection. Contracts range from 1-3 years.
Formerly MONI Security, Brinks offers 3 security packages with free equipment and DIY installation. Prices start at $34.95 a month, with 36-60 month contracts for home automation and security with a lifetime warranty.
- Brinks home security systems: Choose from two systems: Home Complete with monitoring for $39/month and Home Complete with Video and monitoring for $49/month.
- 90-day trial: Try your Brinks home security system for 90 days before deciding whether or not it’s right for you.
- Add-on items: Add-on home automation equipment, security cameras and sensors like smoke and flood detectors.
- Backup power sources & monitoring: Redundancy is the name of the game: two power sources ensure you never lose security coverage, and multiple monitoring channels–Internet, phone line and cellular–guarantee your system is always connected to the monitoring station.
- Easy to move: These DIY systems are easy to take with you when you move into a new home. Let Brinks know when you’ve made the move. You’ll pay the same rate per month unless you add on additional features.
Get do-it-yourself home security and automation with 3 different packages for $28.99-$42.99 a month. Systems have a lifetime warranty on 3-year contracts and come with free moving kits.
- Free system: Protect America gets you started with a free, basic equipment package when you sign up for a monitoring plan. Consumers can upgrade equipment for an additional fee.
- Low monthly fee: Protect America offers one of the cheapest security plans available with options starting at $28.99 a month for basic equipment and monitoring via landline.
- Two-way voice system: Protect America's two-way landline intercom eliminates the need for the company to call your phone to verify a problem – and enables you to instantly call out for help, if required.
- Equipment guarantee: Protect America’s equipment is guaranteed for three years. The company doesn’t charge an insurance fee for this protection.
- Installation: Protect America offers phone support for your DIY installation.
Choose from 6 security packages for $28.99-$62.99 a month with a 3-year contract. Systems include home automation options, a professional installation fee and extended limited warranties on all but the lowest package.
Get state of the art home security and automation. Choose from 3 packages for $39.99-$59.99 a month. Contracts are 42+ months, with professionally installed systems and optional warranties. Company focuses on lifestyle solutions and integrates alarm systems with home automation and energy management.
The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as flexible pricing. Choose from 6 packages for $34.99-$54.99. Systems have 3-5 year contracts, with warranty options of 3-years or 90 days. Self-installed and professional installation are available.
Choose from three professionally installed security packages. Options are wired and wireless, with 36-month contracts. Packages above the basic level are warrantied for the life of the system.
- Flexible packages: With multiple packages and more than a dozen add-on upgrades, Guardian Protection Services offers some of the most customizable home security options.
- Smart Home Automation: The company's home automation controls Z-Wave powered thermostats, lights, locks and garage doors from an Internet-connected smartphone.
- Best Price Guarantee: Guardian Protection Services’ Best Price Guarantee says the company will match any written or web-based quote for comparable home security system installation.
- Monitoring: Guardian Protection Services never subcontracts its monitoring service, and their central station responds to signals in an average of 30 seconds or less.
- Relocation guarantee: Consumers who have had Guardian for at least one year are covered by the company’s Relocation Guarantee and will receive a free basic system at their new home and a 25 percent discount on upgrades. Interested consumers should contact Guardian for details and restrictions.
Pay $0 down with choices of 3 security and automation packages starting at $39.95 a month. Systems are professionally installed with 3-year contracts and home automation options.
- Lifestyle solutions: Vector Security works to customize home alarm solutions to fit your lifestyle, with options for singles, seniors living alone, empty nesters, families and couples.
- Varied tech offerings: Vector Security has several optional extras, including energy management, home automation, two-way intercoms, personal emergency response (push-button support) and more.
- Video surveillance: Vector Security offers multiple video surveillance options. Customers can view live video or recorded video and can also elect to add video monitoring to their plan.
- Medical alert: Vector’s Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS) offers monitoring that can send for emergency medical personnel with the push of a button. This service will be especially appealing to older adults and those that live alone.
- Home automation: Consumers can choose several home automation options when setting up their security system. Vector offers tools to help with energy management and to ensure doors are locked when the homeowner is away.
Get a professionally installed system with 2 package options for $29.95 and $42.95 a month. Systems have 5-year contracts and come with warranties. The company also offers heating and cooling services.
- Complimentary home review: Users get the benefit of learning what the security weaknesses are in their home prior to signing up for an alarm system, for no additional cost.
- Remote access: Users can access their alarm system and monitor their home from any Internet-enabled mobile device, such as a phone or tablet, regardless of the platform their mobile device uses.
- Central monitoring system: Slomin alarms are connected to a central monitoring system; if the alarm goes off and the user can't be reached, the company dispatches emergency services to the home.
- Protection against false alarms: Users can set up a password they can give dispatchers to cancel an alarm once it goes off.
- Customization available: Users can choose the features that make the most sense for their home, including remote access, home automation or live streaming of what's going on in their houses.
Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.
Cove Home Security brings professional-level monitoring, easy setup and affordability to your home. With Cove, you don’t need to worry about complicated contracts because there is none, and they offer a 60 Day, 100% money back guarantee.
- No contract: Cove does not depend on contracts locking you into a service that you don’t like. If you are unsatisfied, cancel at any time.
- 100% cellular security: Cove’s security works on a cellular network, making it safe from power-outages, bad WiFi signals, and outside hacking/tampering.
- Quick installation: The system itself is pre-configured before it is shipped to your residence, meaning all you need to do is set it up where you like and you’re done.
- Inexpensive: By using Cove’s no contract system, you are saving hundreds of dollars annually compared to a traditional security service.
Offers home security system installation and 24/7 monitoring in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Alabama, Florida and Tennessee. Choose from packages ranging from $39.99-$64.99 with free professional installation. Systems have a minimum 5-year contract. $99 activation fee for homeowners and $299 for renters. 90-day warranty for equipment and 1-year warranty for parts.
Partners with ADT for monitoring services. Choose from 5 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems are professionally installed with home automation options and 3-year contracts.
- 24-hour installation: Protect Your Home has service centers nationwide, so most homes can have a security system installed in as little as a day.
- Inexpensive installation: When purchased with monitoring, home monitoring equipment is included in the price, so customers only need to pay an inexpensive installation fee.
- Beyond burglary protection: Monitoring services include fire, carbon monoxide, flood, smoke and break-in alarms.
- Theft Protection Guarantee: The ADT Theft Protection Guarantee covers up to $500 towards a homeowner’s deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed. Interested consumers should contact the company to learn about restrictions.
- Battery backup: When the power goes out, homes still need protection from break-ins or emergencies. With a battery backup system installed with each alarm system, homeowners can leave with confidence, knowing their home is safe and secure.
Choose from 3 packages for $29.99-$49.99 a month. This do-it-yourself or professionally installed security comes with a lifetime warranty on 36-60 month contracts, with free cancellation for U.S. armed forces or reserve members.
- Free equipment: Choose your monthly package, and your equipment is free. LifeShield's free security evaluation will help you determine which package and what equipment is right for your home.
- Triple security: LifeShield allows you to choose monitoring via phone line, Internet, or cell service – or a combination of all three. Even if your Internet goes down or your phone line is cut, your system still works.
- 100% wireless: LifeShield's wireless systems are plug-and-protect – easy to install in less than an hour, even without a professional.
- Self-install: LifeShield does not offer professional installation of any kind, although a Quick Setup Guide and installation DVD are included with your kit.
- Equipment: LifeShield's equipment offerings are constrained. For example, the company does not offer recessed door sensors, intercom systems or home automation.
Mivalife home security is cloud-based wireless self-monitoring security that protects your whole home. Homeowners can choose from several different packages depending on their needs. In addition to automation and security, Mivalife also sells a fire, heat and smoke alert system that will alert you in the event of smoke or fire when you are outside of your home.
- Easy DIY install: Mivalife’s systems are literally “systems-in-a-box” that only take a few minutes to install on your own. Connect the OPU to your existing broadband, activate through your phone and install the rest of your devices to be up and running in no time.
- Free app: Download Mivalife’s app for free on your smartphone to receive automated alerts anytime, no matter where you are.
- No contracts: You don’t need to sign a contract to buy a Mivalife system. In fact, you don’t even need to buy a plan that costs money to keep your home secured through the Mivalife security system.
- Optional group monitoring: You can choose select friends and/or family members at your discretion to have access to your Mivalife system so they can monitor your home and use your system’s automated features when they need to.
- Total package security: Mivalife’s security packages are more than just a camera or a keypad. They also include door and window sensors, remotes and an alarm that will sound when triggered to ward off intruders.
- Best for: Homeowners, DIYers, renters and tech-savvy shoppers.
Safe Home Security (SHS) was established in 1988 and is available in select areas of the United States. SHS has memberships with the National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association (NFBA) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
With over 20 years in the business, SafeZone24 provides a wide range of security solutions. Serving clients around the world, SafeZone24 offers everything from alarm systems for homes and businesses to secure access via facial recognition systems. The company offers state-of-the-art security equipment and in-depth risk assessments.
- Wide selection of alarms: SafeZone24 offers wired, wireless and siren-only burglar alarm systems for use in commercial spaces and private homes.
- Wireless smoke detector options: The company offers wireless smoke detector solutions that operate even when the power is out, notifying the fire department or a monitoring team in the event of a suspected fire.
- Custom system design: SafeZone24 performs a careful review of each business or residential site, planning a security system that fits the customer's budget and unique security needs.
- State-of-the-art technology: SafeZone24 uses high-quality surveillance equipment and facial recognition technology to prevent crime and catch criminals in the act.
- Training options: The company provides anti-terror training for businesses and organizations interested in learning how to minimize the damage and loss caused by a terrorist attack.
- Best for: Business owners, organizations, homeowners and hands-off consumers.
Choose from 2 plans for $14.99-$24.99, or 5 contract-free packages for $229-$499. A Build My System option is also available. All systems are do-it-yourself install with 3-year warranties.
- No contracts: SimpliSafe doesn’t require customers to sign a contract. You can cancel at any time if you’re unhappy with the service.
- DIY installation: To reduce costs, SimpliSafe security systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. They arrive pre-programmed to work instantly. Because they’re wireless, you don’t need to worry about drilling holes or running wire through your house.
- Optional monitoring: You can decide whether or not you want to pay an additional fee for monitoring. Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system will operate as a local alarm. Rates for monitoring start at 50 cents per day, and you can upgrade at any time.
- Free smartphone app: Take control of your SimpliSafe system by downloading SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app. The app allows you to remotely arm or disarm secure your home from anywhere in the world.
- Customizable: SimpliSafe’s system is completely customizable, so you can add products as you need them. Their system supports up to 41 sensors. In addition to security sensors, SimpliSafe offers fire and environment sensors.
Get a system for $29.95. Choose free self-install or professional installation for $99. Systems have automation options on 2-year contracts, with a limited warranty that renews after each month of service. You can use your existing equipment with your new system.
A monitored system that can be bundled with internet, cable and/or phone service for Cox customers. It offers mobile monitoring, 24/7 monitoring and smart home automation. Choose from 2 packages for $29.99-$39.99 a month, with installation fees from $25-$50. Contracts are 3 years and include extended life warranty.
Canary gives homeowners peace of mind by providing an all-encompassing system in a sleek design that can easily fit anywhere in your home. It is easy to set up and can be accessed from your mobile device as long as it’s connected to the Internet. The Canary comes with 12 hours of storage for free, or homeowners can upgrade to get 2-30 days of storage. Plans can be upgraded at any time.
- Fast emergency response times: Contact authorities with one-touch from your Canary app in the event of a break-in or other emergency.
- Automatic arming and disarming: Canary tracks your location through your phone and will automatically arm and disarm accordingly. You can also link the phones of your family members so Canary knows when the house is empty and when there’s someone home.
- Privacy setting: Canary is the only self-monitoring home security camera that has a privacy setting, so you can turn your camera off completely when you want to enjoy family time in private.
- All-inclusive: Canary includes video monitoring, siren and home air quality alerts all in one system, so there’s no need to buy or connect multiple devices.
- Extra cameras: You don’t need to pay for a separate service plan each time you add a camera. Buy up to four cameras under one service plan.
- Best for: Homeowners and tech-savvy consumers.
Choose from a variety of stand-alone security and monitoring products including a video doorbell starting at $99.99. Systems are self-installed and optional protection plans, including professional monitoring, are available for a monthly fee with no contract commitment.
- Products: The Ring Video Doorbell is what started it all, but the company has expanded to offer a full range of home security products including a variety of wired and battery-operated security cameras, contact sensors, motion detectors, smoke alarms, co detectors, flood and freeze sensors, sirens, floodlights and spotlights, flood and freeze sensors. Products are available to buy as standalone products or bundled in home security kits.
- Video Monitoring: Ring and motion alerts, 2-way communication and live, on-demand video are available with all Ring devices at no additional cost. For a monthly fee of $3, users can upgrade their video recording access to include save, share and storage capabilities.
- Professional Monitoring: For an extra $10/month, Ring offers professional monitoring under their “Protect Plus Plan.” A monitoring plan is not required to use Ring products. A free 30-day trial available for new Ring users.
- Mobile access: Motion alerts, 2-way communication and live video can be managed on your mobile device and accessed from multiple phones, tablets and even PCs.
- Equipment cost: Ring’s flagship product, the video doorbell, retails at $99.99. Other products from Ring range from $20-$350. Security System Kits start at $199.99.
Compare Top Home Security System Reviews
|Slomins Alarm Systems|
Read 715 Reviews
Customize your residential alarm with plans starting at $29.95 per month with a 5-year contract. Basic equipment is included with your monthly payment. Pay $99 for professional installation.
|toll freenumber (800) 252-7663 Learn More|
|Safe Home Security, Inc.|
Read 320 Reviews
Get home security for $30 a month with free moving, installation and activation. New customers get a 15% discount. Systems can ignore small animals. Also offers fire alarms and medical alert systems.
Read 62 Reviews
Choose your home security plan starting at $29.99 per month with a 2-year contract. Bundle your security package with your internet, phone or cable service to save money.
Read 140 Reviews
Customize your own home security system starting at $24.99 per month with a 2-year contract. Add video recording to your plan for an additional $9.95 per month. No obligation 30-day trial.
Read 8111 Reviews
Choose from 3 home security packages starting at $36.99 per month with a 3-year contract. Each package comes with cellular connection and a 6-month money-back guarantee.
|toll freenumber (800) 799-7113 Learn More|
|Central Security Group|
Read 145 Reviews
Choose basic and automation packages ranging from $39.99-$79.99/month, with installation fees from $199-$399. Available for homeowners in the Southern U.S., California, Maryland, Missouri, Arizona and Kansas.
Read 922 Reviews
Offers 4 home security plans starting at $21.49 per month with a 3-year minimum contract. Try this wireless alarm system free for 14 days.
|SAFE Security Systems|
Read 95 Reviews
Choose from 3 different plans with professional and self-install options. Full wired system equipment costs $99 and includes a free home security audit. Self-installers pay $0 for equipment.
|FireX Smoke Alarms|
Read 34 Reviews
Get self-installed smoke protection for $13.97. Each alarm interconnects with other units for extensive home coverage. Offers both battery powered and AC hardwired smoke alarm system. Alarms are warrantied for 5 years.
|Canary||Read Expert Review|
Get an all-in-one security camera for $199 or a 2-pack for $379. Membership optional. Cameras are self-installed with 1-year warranty and up to $1,000 renter’s insurance reimbursement. Wi-Fi required; self-monitoring systems only.
|Mivalife||Read Expert Review|
Purchase your cloud-based security system for a one-time fee starting at $240. DIY installation with no minimum contract and no monthly fee. Wi-Fi required; system is self-monitoring only.
|Ring||Read Expert Review|
Choose from a variety of security and monitoring products, including the brand’s flagship product, the video doorbell, starting at $99.99. DIY install and no contracts required. Professional monitoring is available for $10/month.
|SafeZone24||Read Expert Review|
Choose your alarm system plan starting at $27.95 per month with a 3-year contract. Professional installation available, and each system comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.