Best Home Security System Companies
Before shopping for a home security system, you have to decide what level of protection you need. 24/7 monitoring of your home can give you peace of mind in the event of a home invasion, fire or other emergencies. Our guide will help you decipher which home security system is best by comparing prices, plans and customer satisfaction.
Compare Top Home Security System Reviews
Read 2480 Reviews
Choose from three plan options and get the cheapest alarm monitoring at $19.99 per month with a 36-month contract. DIY home alarm system installation with a price-match guarantee.
|Vivint||Read 10062 Reviews|
Customizable alarm system plans starting at $39.99 per month with a 42-month minimum contract. Each system comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
|Protect Your Home|
Read 1308 Reviews
Customize your own security system starting at $27.99 per month with a 3-year contract. Each system comes with panel and 3 sensors with upgrades available for purchase.
Read 1809 Reviews
Choose from 3 alarm system plans starting at $30.99 per month with a 36-month contract. No installation fees, and each system purchase includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
|Guardian Protection Services|
Read 1824 Reviews
Customize your own security system package starting at $36.99 per month with a 3-year contract. Home security system installation with a $99 activation fee.
Read 3108 Reviews
Choose from 3 different alarm system plans starting at $29.99 per month with a 3-year contract. Free activation for DIY home security systems or professional installation is available for purchase.
Read 8135 Reviews
Shop from 3 packages with a monthly fee of $39.95 for alarm monitoring with a 3-year contract. Professionally installed alarm systems with no activation fees.
|CPI Security Systems|
Read 364 Reviews
Monitoring plans start at $29.99 per month and have a minimum contract of 39 months. All systems are professionally installed.
|Slomins Alarm Systems|
Read 686 Reviews
Customize your residential alarm with plans starting at $29.95 per month with a 5-year contract. Basic equipment is included with your monthly payment. Pay $99 for professional installation.
Read 977 Reviews
Choose from 5 different packages starting at $36.99 with a 3-year contract. Both landline and wireless home alarm systems are available, professionally installed with a 6-month money-back guarantee.
Read 7588 Reviews
Choose from 3 package options with monthly pricing starting at $34.99 with a 3-year contract. DIY alarm system installation with no setup fees and a 30-day risk-free trial.
Read 36 Reviews
Choose from several in-home alarm systems with no contract required. Packages start at $35 per month. Each security alarm comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read 7854 Reviews
Choose from 3 home security packages starting at $36.99 per month with a 3-year contract. Each package comes with cellular connection and a 6-month money-back guarantee.
|Brinks Home Security™|
Read 2850 Reviews
Choose from 2 home security plans, with the cheapest alarm monitoring starting at $19.99 per month for a 3-year agreement. Cellular backup included with monthly security monitoring cost.
Read 54 Reviews
Choose your home security plan starting at $29.99 per month with a 2-year contract. Bundle your security package with your internet, phone or cable service to save money.
Home security system costs
How much is a home security system?
A basic home security system costs about $30 per month, which includes monitoring and equipment rental. Adding more security cameras and sensors will likely cost extra, with most home security system prices ranging between $20–$60/month. Before choosing a home security company, consider the cost of home security system installation and activation fees, as well as whether or not you plan to buy your security equipment outright.
- Home security equipment costs: You'll likely catch a price break on equipment in exchange for signing a contract to have your alarm system monitored. If you purchase a system outright, expect to pay $100+ for a basic system and $500+ for top-of-the-line equipment.
- Municipal fees for alarm permits: Some cities charge a yearly permit fee, often less than $50, to respond to emergency calls triggered by monitored home security systems. Even in the event of a false alarm, police will still respond, which can drain police resources over time. The permit fee helps offset this cost. Permit fees are not collected by the alarm companies, so it is important for homeowners to remember to pay this fee on their own.
How much does a home security system cost to install?
Home security system installation costs depend on your method of installation. Professionally installed alarm systems can cost $100–$500+. The DIY method is free, but it requires more of your time. Some companies allow you to choose your installation method, while others require professional installation.
How much does a home security system save on insurance?
Many home insurance providers offer discounts (even up to 20 percent) for homes with monitored alarm systems. So if you pay $1,000 for your homeowner's insurance annually and get a 10 percent discount, you’ll save $100 each year on your insurance simply for having a monitored home security system.
DIY vs. professional home security
There are two basic installation options you can choose from: professional installation and DIY installation. If you're thinking about purchasing a wireless home security system, you'll usually have the option to set it up yourself or hire a professional to do it for you. Most hardwired systems, however, require professional installation.
- Professionally installed by the home alarm company: Many complex alarm systems, usually those that are hardwired into a home, require professional installation. This usually carries a hefty cost ($200–$500+), although some companies offer discount installation.
- DIY home alarm system: Do-it-yourself security systems are generally easy to install, often requiring just a few hours to read the manual and place your sensors. These security systems are recommended for renters because they are portable and offer short-term or no-contract plans, like Simplisafe or Frontpoint.
- Third-party professional installation: If you purchase a DIY system but aren't a DIYer, you can hire a local handy person to do your installation at an hourly rate.
Types of security systems
Wireless vs. wired security system
- Wireless home security systems: Wireless home security systems are minimally invasive in terms of installation. They use a series of battery-powered devices such as motion detectors and door and window sensors. This type of home alarm monitoring does not require a landline as it communicates via radio and cellular technology.
- Wired security system: Wired security systems require an active landline and reside within the structure of the home. The system’s sensors are physically connected to the control panel through wires within the walls. Installing a wired security system will require some drilling and modification.
Monitored vs. unmonitored security systems
- Monitored home security systems: Monitored home wireless security systems are monitored by an outside monitoring center 24/7. Your system needs to be able to communicate with your monitoring center 24/7 through your landline, cell phone or broadband connection. You can still have a wireless security system if you use a landline to communicate with your monitoring center, however, a cell phone is more reliable since the line can’t be cut in the event of a break in. Broadband is capable of making contact with your monitoring center four times faster than a landline and is the cheapest option, although it can be less reliable than using a cell phone.
- Unmonitored home security systems: Unmonitored, also known as self-monitored, home security systems are not monitored by an outside center, which means there is no additional monthly fee associated with them. Instead, you self-monitor your home by receiving alerts on your cell phone whenever there is activity inside your home. It’s up to you to call the authorities if you believe there is a break-in. While you save money by not paying a monthly fee, you don’t have the peace of mind of knowing that someone else will contact the authorities in the event of an emergency.
Smart home security systems
Smart home security systems focus on convenience and are remotely controlled using a smartphone and an app. They are highly customizable in terms of installation, type of surveillance and cost. Smart home security systems alert homeowners in emergencies as well as monitor and control household items like lights, locks and doors.
Home alarm and security system expert reviews
Choose from 3 wireless security system packages for $34.99-$49.99 a month. Systems are self-installed and include 24/7 monitoring, crash and smash technology along with fire and medical protection. Contracts range from 1-3 years.
Formerly MONI Security, Brinks offers 3 security packages with free equipment and DIY installation. Prices start at $34.95 a month, with 36-60 month contracts for home automation and security with a lifetime warranty.
Get do-it-yourself home security and automation with 3 different packages for $19.99-$42.99 a month. Systems have a lifetime warranty on 3-year contracts and come with free moving kits.
Choose from 6 security packages for $28.99-$62.99 a month with a 3-year contract. Systems include home automation options, a professional installation fee and extended limited warranties on all but the lowest package.
Get state of the art home security and automation. Choose from 3 packages for $39.99-$59.99 a month. Contracts are 42+ months, with professionally installed systems and optional warranties. Company focuses on lifestyle solutions and integrates alarm systems with home automation and energy management.
The company offers wired and wireless systems with or without home automation, as well as flexible pricing. Choose from 6 packages for $34.99-$54.99. Systems have 3-5 year contracts, with warranty options of 3-years or 90 days. Self-installed and professional installation are available.
Choose from three professionally installed security packages. Options are wired and wireless, with 36-month contracts. Packages above the basic level are warrantied for the life of the system.
Pay $0 down with choices of 3 security and automation packages starting at $39.95 a month. Systems are professionally installed with 3-year contracts and home automation options.
Get a professionally installed system with 2 package options for $29.95 and $42.95 a month. Systems have 5-year contracts and come with warranties. The company also offers heating and cooling services.
Get professionally installed home security and choose from 4 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems have installation fees of $99, extended limited warranties and 36-month contracts.
Offers home security system installation and 24/7 monitoring in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Alabama, Florida and Tennessee. Choose from packages ranging from $39.99-$64.99 with free professional installation. Systems have a minimum 5-year contract. $99 activation fee for homeowners and $299 for renters. 90-day warranty for equipment and 1-year warranty for parts.
Partners with ADT for monitoring services. Choose from 5 packages for $27.99-$58.99 a month. Systems are professionally installed with home automation options and 3-year contracts.
Choose from 3 packages for $29.99-$49.99 a month. This do-it-yourself or professionally installed security comes with a lifetime warranty on 36-60 month contracts, with free cancellation for U.S. armed forces or reserve members.
Mivalife home security is cloud-based wireless self-monitoring security that protects your whole home. Homeowners can choose from several different packages depending on their needs. In addition to automation and security, Mivalife also sells a fire, heat and smoke alert system that will alert you in the event of smoke or fire when you are outside of your home.
- Easy DIY install: Mivalife’s systems are literally “systems-in-a-box” that only take a few minutes to install on your own. Connect the OPU to your existing broadband, activate through your phone and install the rest of your devices to be up and running in no time.
- Free app: Download Mivalife’s app for free on your smartphone to receive automated alerts anytime, no matter where you are.
- No contracts: You don’t need to sign a contract to buy a Mivalife system. In fact, you don’t even need to buy a plan that costs money to keep your home secured through the Mivalife security system.
- Optional group monitoring: You can choose select friends and/or family members at your discretion to have access to your Mivalife system so they can monitor your home and use your system’s automated features when they need to.
- Total package security: Mivalife’s security packages are more than just a camera or a keypad. They also include door and window sensors, remotes and an alarm that will sound when triggered to ward off intruders.
- Best for: Homeowners, DIYers, renters and tech-savvy shoppers.
Safe Home Security (SHS) was established in 1988 and is available in select areas of the United States. SHS has memberships with the National Burglar and Fire Alarm Association (NFBA) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
Founded in 2000, My Alarm Center offers advanced security tools as part of their monitoring services. They work with local technicians to make installations as easy and comprehensive as possible.
With over 20 years in the business, SafeZone24 provides a wide range of security solutions. Serving clients around the world, SafeZone24 offers everything from alarm systems for homes and businesses to secure access via facial recognition systems. The company offers state-of-the-art security equipment and in-depth risk assessments.
- Wide selection of alarms: SafeZone24 offers wired, wireless and siren-only burglar alarm systems for use in commercial spaces and private homes.
- Wireless smoke detector options: The company offers wireless smoke detector solutions that operate even when the power is out, notifying the fire department or a monitoring team in the event of a suspected fire.
- Custom system design: SafeZone24 performs a careful review of each business or residential site, planning a security system that fits the customer's budget and unique security needs.
- State-of-the-art technology: SafeZone24 uses high-quality surveillance equipment and facial recognition technology to prevent crime and catch criminals in the act.
- Training options: The company provides anti-terror training for businesses and organizations interested in learning how to minimize the damage and loss caused by a terrorist attack.
- Best for: Business owners, organizations, homeowners and hands-off consumers.
Choose from 2 plans for $14.99-$24.99, or 5 contract-free packages for $229-$499. A Build My System option is also available. All systems are do-it-yourself install with 3-year warranties.
Get a system for $29.95. Choose free self-install or professional installation for $99. Systems have automation options on 2-year contracts, with a limited warranty that renews after each month of service. You can use your existing equipment with your new system.
A monitored system that can be bundled with internet, cable and/or phone service for Cox customers. It offers mobile monitoring, 24/7 monitoring and smart home automation. Choose from 2 packages for $29.99-$39.99 a month, with installation fees from $25-$50. Contracts are 3 years and include extended life warranty.
Canary gives homeowners peace of mind by providing an all-encompassing system in a sleek design that can easily fit anywhere in your home. It is easy to set up and can be accessed from your mobile device as long as it’s connected to the Internet. The Canary comes with 12 hours of storage for free, or homeowners can upgrade to get 2-30 days of storage. Plans can be upgraded at any time.
- Fast emergency response times: Contact authorities with one-touch from your Canary app in the event of a break-in or other emergency.
- Automatic arming and disarming: Canary tracks your location through your phone and will automatically arm and disarm accordingly. You can also link the phones of your family members so Canary knows when the house is empty and when there’s someone home.
- Privacy setting: Canary is the only self-monitoring home security camera that has a privacy setting, so you can turn your camera off completely when you want to enjoy family time in private.
- All-inclusive: Canary includes video monitoring, siren and home air quality alerts all in one system, so there’s no need to buy or connect multiple devices.
- Extra cameras: You don’t need to pay for a separate service plan each time you add a camera. Buy up to four cameras under one service plan.
- Best for: Homeowners and tech-savvy consumers.
Choose from a variety of stand-alone security and monitoring products including a video doorbell starting at $99.99. Systems are self-installed and optional protection plans, including professional monitoring, are available for a monthly fee with no contract commitment.
- Products: The Ring Video Doorbell is what started it all, but the company has expanded to offer a full range of home security products including a variety of wired and battery-operated security cameras, contact sensors, motion detectors, smoke alarms, co detectors, flood and freeze sensors, sirens, floodlights and spotlights, flood and freeze sensors. Products are available to buy as standalone products or bundled in home security kits.
- Video Monitoring: Ring and motion alerts, 2-way communication and live, on-demand video are available with all Ring devices at no additional cost. For a monthly fee of $3, users can upgrade their video recording access to include save, share and storage capabilities.
- Professional Monitoring: For an extra $10/month, Ring offers professional monitoring under their “Protect Plus Plan.” A monitoring plan is not required to use Ring products. A free 30-day trial available for new Ring users.
- Mobile access: Motion alerts, 2-way communication and live video can be managed on your mobile device and accessed from multiple phones, tablets and even PCs.
- Equipment cost: Ring’s flagship product, the video doorbell, retails at $99.99. Other products from Ring range from $20-$350. Security System Kits start at $199.99.
Compare Top Home Security System Reviews
|Central Security Group|
Read 133 Reviews
Choose basic and automation packages ranging from $39.99-$79.99/month, with installation fees from $199-$399. Available for homeowners in the Southern U.S., California, Maryland, Missouri, Arizona and Kansas.
Read 98 Reviews
Choose from several wireless home alarm system packages with no contract required. Offers the cheapest alarm monitoring starting at $14.99 per month with a 60-day money back guarantee.
Read 901 Reviews
Offers 4 home security plans starting at $21.49 per month with a 3-year minimum contract. Try this wireless alarm system free for 14 days.
Read 106 Reviews
Customize your own home security system starting at $24.99 per month with a 2-year contract. Add video recording to your plan for an additional $9.95 per month. No obligation 30-day trial.
|SAFE Security Systems|
Read 91 Reviews
Choose from 3 different plans with professional and self-install options. Full wired system equipment costs $99 and includes a free home security audit. Self-installers pay $0 for equipment.
|FireX Smoke Alarms|
Read 34 Reviews
Get self-installed smoke protection for $13.97. Each alarm interconnects with other units for extensive home coverage. Offers both battery powered and AC hardwired smoke alarm system. Alarms are warrantied for 5 years.
|Safe Home Security, Inc.||Read 296 Reviews|
Get home security for $30 a month with free moving, installation and activation. New customers get a 15% discount. Systems can ignore small animals. Also offers fire alarms and medical alert systems.
|My Alarm Center||Read Reviews|
Choose from 3 plans for $34.99-$59.99/month with options for professional or do-it-yourself installation. All packages have free cancellation, free moving, $99 activation and 24/7 customer support.
|Canary||Read Expert Review|
Get an all-in-one security camera for $199 or a 2-pack for $379. Membership optional. Cameras are self-installed with 1-year warranty and up to $1,000 renter’s insurance reimbursement. Wi-Fi required; self-monitoring systems only.
|Mivalife||Read Expert Review|
Purchase your cloud-based security system for a one-time fee starting at $240. DIY installation with no minimum contract and no monthly fee. Wi-Fi required; system is self-monitoring only.
|Ring||Read Expert Review|
Choose from a variety of security and monitoring products, including the brand’s flagship product, the video doorbell, starting at $99.99. DIY install and no contracts required. Professional monitoring is available for $10/month.
|SafeZone24||Read Expert Review|
Choose your alarm system plan starting at $27.95 per month with a 3-year contract. Professional installation available, and each system comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.