Best Home Security System Companies
Home security systems use sensors, locks and alarms to protect your home and family. Before shopping for a home security system, you should decide what level of protection you need. Our guide helps you decipher which home security system is best by comparing alarm system prices, equipment components and customer satisfaction.
Compare Top Home Security System Reviews
|Protect Your Home|
Read 1,375 Reviews
Offers monitored home security packages priced at $27.99 to $58.99/month. Installation costs $99 with 24- to 36-month contracts. Equipment includes sensors, smart locks and camera surveillance. Includes six-month refund policy.
|toll freenumber(877) 201-1895 Free Quote|
|Vivint Smart Home||Read 11,794 Reviews|
Security packages with monitoring and video surveillance start at $29.99/month with 42-month contract. Professionally installed systems include smart hub, app, locks and a doorbell camera with automatic recording.
|toll freenumber(833) 772-8102 Free Quote|
|Protect America||Read 2,600 Reviews|
Monitored plans start at $19.99/month plus a one-time $19.95 activation fee. Systems require DIY installation and 36-month contract. Available equipment includes Z-Wave hubs, smart locks, glass-break sensors and wireless cameras.
|toll freenumber(888) 951-5154 Free Quote|
Read 1,898 Reviews
Offers monitored home security systems starting at $30.99/month with a one-year contract. Systems include two-way voice communication to monitoring center. Requires DIY installation. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
|toll freenumber(855) 830-3776 Free Quote|
Read 193 Reviews
Offers the cheapest alarm monitoring starting at $14.99/month with DIY installation. Sells equipment packages that start at $230 and include base station, wireless keypad plus entry and motion sensors. 60-day money-back guarantee.
Read 3,115 Reviews
Offers security monitoring starting at $19.99/month with 36- or 60-month contract. Sells equipment packages that include entry keypad, mobile app and smart cameras starting at $199.95. Requires professional installation.
Read 10 Reviews
Offers monitored home security systems priced at $15 to $35/month. Requires DIY installation. Pay for equipment upfront or opt into a 36-month contract. Includes a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Read 2,108 Reviews
Monitored home security packages start at $29.95/month with a 36-month contract. Standard plans include control keypad, door and window sensors, motion detector, yard sign and window decals. Professional installation costs $99.
|toll freenumber(844) 277-9642 Free Quote|
Read 8,299 Reviews
Monitored plans priced $27.99/month with a 36-month contract. Installation fees range from $99 to $199. Includes digital panel, wireless keychain remote and motion detector. Manage Z-Wave-enabled smart devices through app.
|Alder Security||Read Reviews|
Monitored plans start at $34.99/month with 36-month contract. Requires DIY installation. Offers touch screen control panel, indoor and outdoor cameras, window and door sensors and wireless key remote.
Read 10,979 Reviews
Monitored security plans start at $39.95/month with contract. Requires professional installation. Packages include wireless control panel, door and window sensors, motion detections and yard sign. Surveillance cameras available.
|CPI Security Systems|
Read 370 Reviews
Monitored home security systems starting at $29.99 with 39- or 60-month contract. Professional installation required. Includes door and window sensors, motion detectors, wireless control panel and inTouch app.
Read 999 Reviews
Monitored security plans for homes and businesses start at $36.99 with 36-month contract. Provides professional installation for $99. Offers digital keypads, pet-sensitive motion detectors and high-decibel alarms.
Read 36 Reviews
Choose from several in-home alarm systems with no contract required. Packages start at $35 per month. Each security alarm comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
|Slomins Alarm Systems|
Read 735 Reviews
Monitored home security plans start at $29.95/month with 60-month contract. Includes basic equipment with monthly payments. Professional installation costs $99. Systems include with warranties.
|toll freenumber(800) 252-7663|
What is a home security system?
Basic home security equipment includes window and door sensors, door locks and a central panel or base hub that arms and disarms the alarm system. Burglar alarm companies typically include a set of yard signs and window stickers to deter potential intruders. Businesses also offer floodlights, motion sensors, video doorbells, surveillance cameras and extra sensors for fire and flood for an additional charge.
According to the FBI,
58.3% of burglaries
involved forcible entry
If you subscribe to a professional home security monitoring service, the system alerts your security system company’s monitoring center, which has emergency operators available 24/7. Monitoring operators dispatch the police to your residence when the alarm is triggered. Some home security system companies offer a two-way talk feature so you can describe your emergency. The monitoring operators contact the police, fire department or a medical response team to ensure the appropriate response.
Many of the best burglar alarm companies’ monitoring packages also come with a home security mobile app that integrates smart home automation features. Smart home security systems focus on convenience and are controlled remotely through the app. These systems are highly customizable and allow users to choose how they’re installed, what type of surveillance is used and the features included. Smart home security systems monitor for emergencies and control household items like lights, locks and doors.
The most effective home security systems combine quality equipment with best practices. Even the best home alarms are less useful if you don’t lock your doors and trim shrubs near your home’s windows to prevent intrusion and property crimes.
Types of home security systems
As you compare home security systems, it helps to understand the difference between wired or wireless systems and monitored or unmonitored alarms. A monitored home security system can be wireless or wired, but it’s rare to see home alarm companies offer an unmonitored, wired system.
A wired system connects to the home’s existing systems and often requires physical installation. Wireless home security systems have similar components — home alarms, sensors, cameras, locks, etc. — but don’t require hardwired equipment.
- Wired home security systems: Wired home alarms and sensors are physically connected to a control panel through wires within the walls. Wired home security systems can also incorporate some wireless components, including motion detectors and smart home automation features.
- Wireless home security system: Wireless home alarm systems utilize a series of battery-powered sensors to alert homeowners of potential intrusions. The best wireless home security systems are simple to install and can be professionally monitored or self-monitored. Many wireless home security systems incorporate smart home automation features. Through a home security app, you can monitor your system and control wireless devices with smart home automation technology, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave and IFTTT.
- Monitored home security systems: When the alarm is triggered on a monitored system, the system automatically connects to emergency operators at 24/7 monitoring centers. Some systems automatically notify local police when the alarm is triggered. Other systems have a two-way talk feature so operators can dispatch local police, firefighters or medical services depending on the emergency.
Home security centers also offer environmental monitoring. Companies can add detectors and sensors for fire, smoke, flood, carbon monoxide and even freezing pipes onto your monthly monitoring service for increased protection.
- Unmonitored home security systems: Unmonitored security systems rely on notifications and the sound of the alarm to prevent intrusions. Unmonitored or self-monitored systems, also known as local alarm systems, do not connect to an outside operating center. Instead, you self-monitor your home by receiving alerts on your cell phone if sensors detect activity.
You can save money with a wireless, unmonitored home security system since you don’t pay a monthly monitoring fee or upfront installation cost. Still, you lose the security that comes from knowing the appropriate authorities are alerted during an emergency.
How much does a home security system cost?
If you want a monitored home security system that requires professional installation, expect to pay more than just the equipment price. When comparing home security systems, consider the cost of equipment, monitoring and installation, plus fees for activation, termination and local alarm permits.
- Equipment costs: If you purchase home security equipment upfront, expect to pay $100 to $300 for a basic system and $1,000 or more for top-of-the-line equipment. Many home security companies offer monitoring services with free or discounted equipment as long as you have a monitoring contract. Some home security companies also provide financing or rental options for equipment.
- Monitoring fees: Home security system monitoring fees typically range between $15 and $60 per month. Keep in mind that monitoring fees vary based on the type of equipment you have. You might pay $20 per month for a basic monitoring plan and have the option to add video surveillance monitoring for an extra fee. Some home monitoring companies also charge more for environmental monitoring, such as smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Installation costs: Home security installation costs vary based on whether the system is wired or wireless. Installation costs for wired systems that require professional assistance start at around $100 for the most basic alarm. Complete professional security camera installation costs are much higher and can reach $2,000 or more. Wireless systems are typically simpler to install, and the task can often be performed by the homeowner.
- Activation fees: Home security companies sometimes charge a one-time activation fee of up to around $100 to get the system working. Some companies include the activation fee in the price of installation.
- Termination fees: The best home security companies offer a free trial period or money-back guarantee for around 30 or 60 days. Costly termination fees could apply if you cancel after that time. Depending on the alarm company, you might be on the hook for the balance of your equipment costs, even if it was advertised as free.
- Municipal fees for alarm permits: Some cities charge a yearly permit fee, usually $30 to $50, for local police to respond to emergency calls triggered by monitored home security systems. The alarm permit fees help offset the municipal cost of responding to false alarms. Alarm companies do not handle permit fees, so homeowners need to know the local requirements and remember to apply for a permit.
Compare home security system costs
The more components and features you want — surveillance cameras, video doorbells, smart door locks, motion sensors, glass-break sensors, etc. — the more the system costs. As you compare home security companies, keep in mind that many home security companies offer monitored services with free equipment as long as you keep your monitoring contract.
|Upfront equipment costs||$0||$0 - $184||$99 - $199||$399 - $499|
|Equipment financing option|
|Monthly monitoring fees||$27.99 - $59.99||$15 - $35||$0||$29 - $39|
|$0||$99||$27.99 - $59.99|
|$0 - $184||$0||$15 - $35|
|$99 - $199||$0||$0|
|$399 - $499||$0||$19||$29 - $39|
Home security installation options
Home security systems have two basic installation options: professional installation and DIY installation. If you purchase a wireless home security system, you usually have the option to set it up yourself or hire a professional to do it for you. However, most hardwired systems require professional installation.
DIY vs. professional home security
There are advantages and disadvantages to professionally installed and DIY home security systems. Wireless DIY home alarms are generally less expensive than systems that require a professional technician to install, but many homeowners feel safer with a wired system.
- Professionally installed by the home alarm company: Most complex home alarm systems that are wired into a home require professional installation. Wired home security installation costs start around $100, though some companies offer discount installations for new customers.
- DIY home alarm system: Most wireless home security systems are easy to install yourself. DIY home security systems are best for renters because they are portable and available with short-term or no-contract plans, like Simplisafe or Frontpoint. You can choose to have a wireless security system monitored or unmonitored.
How to find the best home security system
Finding a home security system can be daunting. With so many hardware components and so much new technology, it can be difficult to know which home alarm is best for you. Follow these steps to determine your best home security system option.
- 1. Figure out what security equipment and features you need
- Consider the location of your home and the size of your property to decide what security features, technology and gadgets are most important to you. If you live alone, you might want a home security system with a doorbell camera and two-way talk features. Homeowners who live on a large property should consider supplementing a home security package with additional window and door sensors or smart locks to ensure all entry points are secure.
Some home security companies sell alarms and equipment individually, and others offer packages of bundled devices. In addition to burglar alarms, popular home security equipment includes surveillance cameras, window and door sensors, glass-break detectors and motion sensors. Many of the best home security services also offer environmental monitoring with equipment to detect smoke, fire, flood and carbon monoxide. Remember that the best home security equipment also includes a warranty.
Smart home automation technology is increasingly popular in security systems. With smart tech, you can adjust the lights, lock doors and arm or disarm your system from anywhere through an app on your mobile device.
- 2. Decide between monitored vs. unmonitored security systems
- The most significant advantage of a monitored home security system is that it automatically dispatches an emergency response when the alarm is triggered. With monitored systems, police are summoned even if no one’s around to call 911. Many people feel safer with monitored systems because most break-ins happen when residents are absent or asleep.
- Unmonitored home security systems use most of the same equipment as monitored systems. An unmonitored alarm system is intended to scare away thieves or notify you of any alerts, but it doesn’t connect to trained operators or dispatch emergency response help.
- Monitored home security systems are generally more expensive than unmonitored systems, but they have the added security benefit of connecting directly to a professional monitoring center. Monitored systems require a monthly fee, and some monitoring companies require lengthy contracts with costly termination fees.
Both monitored and unmonitored home security systems usually include a mobile app. Depending on your security needs, you may be able to self-monitor your system and save on monthly fees.
- 3. Choose between wireless vs. wired security systems
- Wired home security systems trigger a burglar alarm when a door or window is opened. In contrast, wireless security systems rely upon sensors that connect to a control panel or central hub.
Installing a wired security system requires some drilling and modification. Many homeowners consider hardwired security systems more reliable since they don’t require batteries to operate. Still, these systems can be disabled during a power outage or by a thief with scissors.
Wired home alarm systems are typically more expensive than wireless home systems because they must be professionally installed. DIY security systems are often preferable for renters because they are more portable and can easily be moved into a new home.
- 4. Calculate your home security budget
- As you make your home alarm system comparison, be mindful of equipment costs. Most home security systems come with motion detectors, door and window sensors and a control panel or keypad option. Optional equipment, including video doorbells, indoor and outdoor cameras, glass-break sensors and home automation features, are available for an additional cost.
Remember to add in the price of home security system installation and activation fees. Also consider whether you plan to buy your security equipment outright. Some home security companies that offer free alarms and equipment charge more per month for monitoring. Additionally, many home security companies charge high cancellation fees if you terminate a monitoring agreement before you pay for your equipment in full.
- 5. Compare home alarm system reviews
- Comparing home alarm system reviews is the best way to find out what to expect from a company before you sign up for service. Existing home security customers are usually vocal about unfair fees and equipment durability in burglar alarm reviews. By reading home security service reviews, you can also learn more about a company’s monitoring operators, installation technicians and customer service representatives.
Home security FAQ
- How much does a home security system cost to install?
- Home security system installation costs depend on your method of installation — professional installation costs $100 to $500 or more, while DIY security systems are free to install yourself. Some home alarm companies let you choose which installation method you prefer. If you purchase a DIY system but aren't a DIYer, you can hire a third-party professional installation service.
- How much does a home security system save on insurance?
- Many home insurance providers offer discounts of up to 20% for those with monitored alarm systems. The discount may or may not save you money in the long run, depending on your monthly home alarm system costs.
Let’s assume your annual homeowner’s insurance premium is $1,000 and you get a 15% discount for having a monitored home alarm system. That’s $150 per month savings on insurance, but you may spend around $350 for a year of monitoring service.
You might be able to save a little money over a year if you get a full 20% discount on your homeowners or renters insurance premium for having a monitored alarm system and pay less than $20 per month for monitoring services.
- What is the best wireless security system to buy?
- If you’re searching for the best wireless security system, decide which features are the most important to you. There are DIY and professionally installed wireless security systems with a range of optional components and features, including:
- Security cameras
- Spotlight cameras
- High-decibel alarms
- Smart home automation
- Climate monitors
- Motion sensors
- Entry sensors
- Mobile control
- Professional monitoring
- Two-way audio communication
- Can you change alarm monitoring companies?
- Yes. If you’re not satisfied with your home security service, you can change alarm monitoring companies. You may incur fees for early termination, so make sure you’re familiar with the cancellation terms of your current contract.
Work with your new provider to find out if your current equipment is worth keeping or if you should upgrade to the latest in smart home security. Depending on your previous provider, you might be able to continue using your existing security equipment.
- Are wireless home security systems safe?
- Yes. Wireless home security systems are just as safe as wired systems for most homes. Wireless security systems are continuously monitored and have battery backups that keep your home safe even in a power outage. They’re also harder for burglars to bypass since they can’t be disabled by cutting phone lines. Wireless home security systems are easy to customize with add-ons like window sensors and surveillance cameras, so you can create a system that makes you feel safe even in a larger home.
However, larger homes might run into problems with sensor limitations — the average open-air range for a wireless home security system is around 500 feet. Some companies offer Wi-Fi boosters that extend the range.
- Is there a security camera that works without Wi-Fi?
- Yes, security cameras can work without Wi-Fi. Many surveillance cameras work with a cellular network connection, which makes them ideal for remote locations with unreliable internet connectivity. Hardwired cameras are another option and provide reliable high-definition video that’s less susceptible to interference.
Who are the best alarm companies near me?
We’ve compared the best local home security companies across the United States to help you find trusted home alarm companies in your city.
Home alarm and security system expert reviews
Wireless smart home security packages start at $34.99/month with no contract required. Systems are self-installed and include 24/7 monitoring, crash-and-smash technology, fire alerts and medical protection.
Monitored security systems start at $29/month with a 36-month contract. DIY and professional installation options are available.
- Monitoring fees: Monthly monitoring fees range from $29 to $53 with a standard 36-month agreement.
- Security equipment: Smart security system equipment packages range from $199 to $1,099. Touchscreen control panels with home automation features, home alarms, indoor and outdoor security cameras, video doorbells, motion sensors, smoke and flood detectors and wireless door sensors are available.
- 90-day trial: Try your home security system for 90 days before deciding whether it’s right for you.
- Easy to move: Brinks DIY systems are easy to take with you when you move into a new home. You’ll pay the same rate per month unless you add on additional features.
Home security and automation packages start at $19.99/month. Protect America offers phone support for DIY installation. Systems require a one-time $19.95 activation charge.
- Standard home security equipment: Protect America gets you started with a free, basic equipment package when you sign up for a monitoring plan. All plans include a control panel hub, motion detector, yard sign, door and window stickers and door and window sensors. Consumers can upgrade equipment for an additional fee. Plus, use the SMART Connect home automation app to monitor activity and control your system from anywhere.
- Additional security devices: Smart locks, linear garage door controller with Z-Wave technology, smoke/flood sensors, wireless cameras, glass-break sensors, motion detectors and keypad locks are also available.
- Home automation features: Smart home automation features include HD video surveillance services, smoke and fire monitoring, smart door lock control, garage door control and smart lighting.
- Two-way voice system: Protect America's two-way landline intercom eliminates the need for the company to call your phone to verify a problem and lets you call for help instantly.
- Money-back guarantee: Cancel within 30 days and don't have to pay anything except the activation charge. Contract terms are 36 months, and you must send a written letter to Protect America 60 days before you want to cancel.
Monitored home security packages start at $36.99/month with a three-year contract. Both wired and wireless home alarm systems are available.
Professionally installed security systems with smart home automation start at $29.99/month. Contract terms range from 42 to 60 months. Clients can avoid a long-term contract altogether by purchasing equipment upfront.
Home security systems start at $34.99/month with home automation features available for an additional charge. Professional installation costs $99.
Wired security packages start at $29.99/month with 36-month contracts.
- Flexible packages: Guardian Protection Services offers some of the most customizable home security options with multiple packages and more than a dozen add-on upgrades.
- Smart home automation technology: Controls Z-Wave powered thermostats, lights, locks and garage doors from anywhere with your mobile device.
- Best price guarantee: Guardian Protection Services’ Best Price Guarantee says the company will match any written or web-based quote for comparable home security system installation.
- Availability: Guardian Protection services are available in Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Home security packages start at $39.95/month. Vector Security works to customize home alarm solutions to fit your lifestyle, with options for singles, seniors living alone, empty nesters, families and couples.
- Home alarm equipment: Essential security equipment includes a wireless control panel, three door and window sensors, motion detections, security camera and yard sign. Vector Security also offers optional extras, including two-way intercoms and personal emergency response (push-button support).
- Home automation features: Home automation options include smart thermostats, automatic door locks and indoor cameras that sync with devices. Vector Security systems are compatible with the Amazon Alexa, Google Home and Z-Wave. Vector also offers tools to help with energy management and to ensure doors and windows are closed when the homeowner is away.
- Video surveillance: Vector Security provides multiple video surveillance options. Customers can view live video or recorded video and add video monitoring to their plan.
Select from home security packages starting at $29.95/month. Through the mySlomin’s app, you can arm or disarm your system from anywhere.
- Home security app: Users can access their alarm system and monitor their home from any Internet-enabled mobile device, such as a phone or tablet, regardless of the platform their mobile device uses.
- Security equipment: LCD control panels, motion detectors, door contacts, video cameras, decals, yard signs and keychain remotes are also available. Slomin’s alarms connect to a central monitoring system.
- Customizable features: Users can choose the features that make the most sense for their home, including remote access, home automation or live streaming.
- Availability: Home security services are available in Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Home security packages start at $27.99/month with 36-month contracts. ADT offers monitoring packages designed for those who already have an alarm system installed in their home.
Wireless home security systems with professional monitoring start at $15/month. Through the home security app, get notified and request emergency assistance via text or talk.
- Monitoring services: Get 24/7 live monitoring through Cove LiveAssist and Cove InstaText starting. Cove’s security works on a cellular network, so it’s safe from power outages, poor Wi-Fi signals and outside hacking.
- Home security components: Cove security equipment includes the touch alarm panel, burglary and intrusion sensors, environmental detectors, remotes, medical alerts and indoor cameras
- No long-term contracts: Customers can cancel anytime. Cove also provides a 60-day free trial period.
- DIY installation: The home security system is preconfigured for simple do-it-yourself installation.
- Smart home automation: Cove home security is compatible with smartphone, Amazon Alexa and Google Home voice control.
Basic home security packages starting at $34.99/month. Response times are quick, including for medical emergencies. DIY installation takes less than 30 minutes.
Wireless home security plans start at $29.99/month with 60-month contracts. CPI charges a $99 activation fee for homeowners and $299 for renters.
Security equipment and monitoring starts at $27.99/month. Professional installation costs $99 with a 24- or 36-month contract. Home automation features through the ADT Pulse app.
- Professional installation: Professional home alarm installation costs $99. Most clients have a security system installed in as little as a day.
- 24/7 monitoring services: Monitoring fees start at $27.99 per month. Monitoring services include fire, carbon monoxide, flood, smoke and burglar alarms.
- Security system equipment: Security equipment options include digital keypad and motion sensors, wireless door and window sensors, door locks, home security cameras, video surveillance and environmental sensors for carbon monoxide, fire and flood.
- Money-back guarantee: The ADT Theft Protection Guarantee covers up to $500 towards a homeowner’s deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed. Interested consumers should contact the company to learn about restrictions.
- ADT Pulse app: Through the ADT Pulse app, you can arm or disarm your home security system, monitor for your home for break-ins and disasters and receive text alerts and email notifications.
- Theft Protection Guarantee: The ADT Theft Protection Guarantee covers up to $500 towards a homeowner’s deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed. Interested consumers should contact the company to learn about restrictions.
Wired home security systems start at $19.99/month. Systems come with a lifetime warranty on 36- and 60-month contracts.
- Customizable home security: Equipment costs range from $199.95 to $349.99. LifeShield’s most popular package includes the control panel or hub, entry keypad, mobile app, a yard sign and window stickers. Additional sensors and surveillance cameras are also available.
- Smart home automation features: This home security company offers home automation, pet-friendly motion sensors, fire sensors, yard signs, window stickers, HD video cameras and more. LifeShield Security equipment is compatible with Z-Wave Plus devices, IFTTT, Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- Easy DIY installation: The company’s wireless systems are plug-and-protect — easy to install in less than an hour, even without a professional.
- Free year of monitoring: Get a full year of free monitoring with the purchase of a LifeShield home security system above $199.99.
Self-monitored, cloud-based security systems start at $240. Homeowners can choose from several different packages depending on their needs.
- Home security equipment:: Home8 security packages are more than just a camera or a keypad. They also include door and window sensors, remotes and an alarm that will sound when triggered to ward off intruders.
- DIY installation: Home8’s systems are literally “systems-in-a-box” that only take a few minutes to install on your own. Connect the unit to your existing broadband, activate through your phone and install the rest of your devices to be up and running in no time.
- Security app: Home8’s free mobile app sends automated alerts to your smartphone. Systems are also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Echo, Google Assistant, Apple Watch and more.
- No contracts: You don’t need to sign a contract to buy a system.
- Additional protection: Home8 also sells a fire, heat and smoke alert system that alerts you of smoke or fire when you are outside of your home.
- Best for: Homeowners, DIYers, renters and tech-savvy shoppers.
Monitored home security system plans start at $30/month. Safe Home Security offers burglary, fire and medical monitoring services.
Monitored security systems for homes and businesses start at $15.95/month. Professional installation is required.
Alarm system plans start at $27.95/month with three-year contracts. Each system comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. The home security company offers state-of-the-art home security equipment and in-depth risk assessments.
- Home alarms: SafeZone24 offers wired, wireless and siren-only burglar alarm systems for use in commercial spaces and private homes.
- Additional monitoring: Wireless smoke detector solutions operate even when the power is out, notifying the fire department or a monitoring team in the event of a suspected fire.
- Custom components: Systems are available for residential and commercial properties, and the company works with you to plan a security system that fits your budget and unique security needs.
- Advanced security technology: SafeZone24 uses high-quality surveillance equipment and facial recognition technology to prevent crime and catch criminals in the act.
- Best for: Business owners, organizations, homeowners and hands-off consumers.
Monitored home security plans start at $14.99/month. All systems are DIY install with a three-year warranty and 60-day money-back guarantee.
- Home security equipment: Home security equipment packages start at $229 for a base station, wireless keypad, entry sensor and motion sensor. Upgrade to include keychain remote, extra motion sensor, three additional entry sensors, siren, panic button, freeze sensor and water sensor. Fire and environment sensors are also available.
- DIY installation: Systems are designed to be self-installed in a matter of minutes. Because they’re wireless, you won’t need to drill holes or run wire through your house.
- Optional monitoring: Without monitoring, your SimpliSafe system operates like a local alarm. Rates for monitoring start around 50 cents per day, and you can upgrade at any time.
- Home security app: SimpliSafe’s free smartphone app allows you to remotely arm or disarm your home security system from anywhere with your phone.
Monitored residential security plans start at $29.95/month. System equipment costs $99 and includes a free home security audit.
Customized home security systems start at $24.99/month with a two-year contract. Add video recording to your plan for an additional $9.95 per month. Comcast customers can enjoy a discount by bundling their Xfinity Home system with TV and internet services.
Monitored home security and automation packages start at $54.99/month. Customers can bundle their security package with internet, phone or cable service to receive a discount.
All-in-one security device starts at $199. Home security cameras installation is easy and the device comes with a one-year warranty. Wi-Fi is required.
- Security device features: Canary is a self-monitoring security device equipped with an HD night vision camera and intelligent motion detection. Canary includes video monitoring, siren and home air quality alerts all in one system, so there’s no need to buy or connect multiple devices.
- Adjustable settings: Canary has different settings so you can turn your camera off completely when you want to enjoy family time in private.
- Free storage: Canary comes with 12 hours of storage for free, or homeowners can upgrade to get two to 30 days of storage. Plans can be upgraded at any time.
- Canary app: You can contact authorities with one touch for fast emergency response during a break-in or other emergency. Canary tracks your location through your phone and automatically arms and disarms accordingly. You can also link your family members’ phones.
- Best for: Homeowners and tech-savvy consumers.
Self-installed home security systems are available with or without monitoring fees. Choose from a variety of standalone security and monitoring products. Security System Kits start at $199.99.
- Security equipment: Ring offers a range of home security devices, including wired and battery-operated home security cameras, contact sensors, motion detectors, smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, flood and freeze sensors, sirens, floodlights and spotlights and video doorbell cameras.
- Home security features: Two-way communication and live, on-demand video are available with all Ring devices at no additional cost.
- Optional monitoring fees: For an extra $10/month, Ring offers professional monitoring under their “Protect Plus Plan.” A monitoring plan is not required to use Ring products. Users can also upgrade their video recording plan to include save, share and storage capabilities for an additional $3 monthly fee.
- Mobile app: Motion alerts, two-way communication and live video can be managed on your mobile device and accessed from multiple phones, tablets and PCs.
Customizable home security packages are available with professional monitoring or self-monitoring. Abode offers bundle packages for extra savings.
- Security equipment: Starter home security packages start at $199. Customize your system with door and window sensors, glass-break detectors, cameras and motion sensors, plus smoke alarms, indoor and outdoor burglar alarms and signage.
- Monitoring fees: Optional professional security system monitoring starts at $8.33/month.
- Home security app: Monitor your home with security app access for iOS and Android devices.
- Home automation features: Devices with home automation capabilities are compatible with IFTTT, Google Assistant, Google Home, Nest, Amazon Alexa, Hue, Ecobee, LIFX, Yale, Z-Wave, First Alert, Zigbee and more.
- Installation options: Have your home security system professionally installed or do it yourself.
Customizable security systems with no annual contracts. Systems are easy to set up and come with a three-year warranty on devices
- Network of devices: Scout hub and mobile apps work with home alarms, motion sensors, access sensors, door panels and indoor home security cameras.
- Home automation features: Security equipment is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Hue, IFTTT, Google Assistant and LIFX.
- Home security app: Through the Scout Alarm app, you can change your security settings and get live updates from anywhere.
- Monitoring fees: Professional monitoring starts at $9.99/month. Premium monitoring services include police and fire dispatch.
- Money-back guarantee: Free returns within 60 days.
Compare Top Home Security System Reviews
Read 7,726 Reviews
Monitored home security plans start at $34.99/month with no contract required. Select from DIY or professional installation. Includes smart hub, keypad, window, door and motion sensors plus signage with basic equipment package.
|Safe Home Security, Inc.|
Read 332 Reviews
Home security monitoring starts at around $30/month. Offers customizable equipment with home automation features. Stream surveillance camera footage, arm and disarm system and control security devices through app.
|Brinks Home Security™|
Read 3,211 Reviews
Home security plans range from $29 to $53/month with standard contracts. Select from monitored and unmonitored plans. Requires DIY installation. HD video doorbell and indoor night vision camera available.
|toll freenumber(844) 883-0856|
Read 65 Reviews
Home automation and security packages start at $54.99/month. Provides professional installation for $25 to $50/month plus a $49.99 activation fee. Offers bundled home automation, security and internet/cable packages.
Read 153 Reviews
Monitored plans start at $24.99 per month with a two-year contract. Add video recording to your plan for an additional $9.95 per month. Includes no-obligation 30-day trial. Offers Switch and Save program for partner devices.
Read 155 Reviews
Monitoring plans start at $15.95/month with 36-month contract. Requires professional installation. Equipment options include indoor night vision camera, video doorbell, key-free door lock and wireless image sensor.
Read 938 Reviews
Monitored security packages start at $34.99/month with 24- to 36-month contract. Charges $99 for professional installation. Includes touchscreen control panel, door and window sensors and motion sensor with standard equipment.
|SAFE Security Systems|
Read 102 Reviews
Monitoring plans start at $29.95/month for home security plus fire, flood and carbon monoxide. Professional and DIY installation options. Full wired system equipment costs $99 and includes a free home security audit.
|FireX Smoke Alarms|
Read 35 Reviews
Get self-installed smoke protection for $13.97. Each alarm interconnects with other units for extensive home coverage. Offers both battery powered and AC hardwired smoke alarm system. Alarms are warrantied for 5 years.
|Abode||Read Expert Review|
Home security starting at $8.33/month. Offers monitored and self-monitored options. Includes include remote notifications, glass-break protection, environment sensors and more with $199 equipment package.
|Canary||Read Expert Review|
Sells self-monitoring security camera for $199 or a 2-pack for $379. Includes camera, high-decibel siren and air monitoring capabilities. Provides 60-day money-back guarantee.
|Home8||Read Expert Review|
Professional home security service plans start at $19.99/month. Sells equipment packages for indoor and outdoor security plus video monitoring separately. Requires DIY installation.
|Ring||Read Expert Review|
Customizable security kits, alarm security bundles, sensors, panic buttons and motion detectors available starting at $199. Requires DIY installation. Provides monitoring plans starting at $10/month with no long-term contracts.
|SafeZone24||Read Expert Review|
Alarm system plans start at $27.95/month with three-year contracts. Includes 30-day money-back guarantee. Offers professional installation.
|Scout Alarm||Read Expert Review|
Monitoring services for customizable home alarm and security systems start at $9.99/month with no annual contract. Requires DIY installation. Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Hue, IFTTT, Google Assistance and LIFX.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.