Find the Best Home Security System Companies
What are the best home security systems?
As of publishing, the top-rated home security companies on ConsumerAffairs are Vivint Smart Home, Link Interactive, ADT, Vector Security and Brinks. Ratings are based on verified customer reviews over the last year.
When selecting our favorite system from each of the five top-rated home security companies, we considered equipment options, monitoring features, cost and contract length, among other factors. Keep in mind not all systems or products are available in every state, and the terms of your service agreement could differ based on any customizations you choose.
- Supports up to six cameras
- Professional installation: $49 to $199
- No free trial period
Vivint Smart Home systems are both high-tech and easy to use. It’s not the cheapest company on this list, but we think Vivint is a good pick for those who don’t mind paying a little extra for quality products and extensive integration features.
What to consider about Vivint Smart Home
Customers seem to get the most out of Vivint when they also take advantage of its optional integration systems. If you aren’t interested in smart automation, a less expensive system could be right for you. Also, because Vivint requires professional installation, it might not be the best pick if you don’t want people in your house.
All Vivint smart devices connect to a digital network with centralized control and mobile access. They’re compatible with Nest Learning Thermostat, Philips Hue, Amazon Echo and Google Home.
Vivint Smart Home packages and pricing
As of publishing, Vivint Smart Home packages cost between $29.99 and $44.99 per month. New customers must meet a minimum purchase of $599.99; if you don’t want to pay for equipment upfront, financing is available with approved credit. Financing terms are 42 or 60 months. Be aware that a monthly $1.48 cellular network maintenance fee also applies.
All Vivint packages come with the smart hub, app, burglary detection and 24/7 professional monitoring services. Camera options include a doorbell camera, outdoor camera Pro and Ping camera. You can also get smart locks, thermostats, garage door controls and car guards.
- Vivint Smart Security Monitoring
- For $29.99 per month, you get mobile access, entry and environmental detectors, medical pendant support and 24/7 professional monitoring. The installation fee is $99.
- Vivint Smart Home Monitoring
- For $39.99 per month, you get everything in the Security Monitoring plan plus smart home integration features. This package’s installation fee is $149.
- Vivint Smart Home Video Monitoring
- For $44.99 per month, you get everything in the plans above plus video surveillance. You might have to pay more if you require more video surveillance storage. The installation fee for this package is $199.
What we like about Vivint home security
Overall, users seem happy with Vivint systems. As of publishing, about 87% of Vivint customers we talked to would recommend the company to a friend. Positive reviews mention Vivint’s “very knowledgeable” sales staff and “great” customer service. Happy customers also highlighted the video quality and range of cameras.
Plus, the service includes professional 24/7 monitoring support, which means first responders are automatically dispatched if an alarm is triggered. We also like that Vivint makes it easy to switch over if you already have an existing system with another company.
- Good value for renter
- No installation or activation fees
- 30-day trial period
- Video doorbell available
- Professional installation: $99 to $199
- Six-month money-back guarantee
Like Vivint and Link Interactive, ADT features professional monitoring and home automation integration. However, ADT offers some of the most accommodating options we’ve seen, especially for those who want monitoring services through a landline connection.
ADT home security packages and pricing
As of publishing, ADT packages start between $30 and $40 per month. All packages include a digital keypad, high-decibel siren, wireless keychain remote, backup battery, yard signs and decals. Those who want smart home automation features might consider the Premium Protection plan ($56 per month).
- For around $36 per month, you get three window and door sensors, an infrared motion detector and 24/7 professional alarm monitoring.
- Total Protection
- For around $44 per month, you get everything included in the Essentials Package plus Safewatch Cellguard, which lets you connect the system through a landline.
- Premium Protection
- For about $56 a month, this comes with everything in the other packages plus ADT Pulse, which includes home automation. You can monitor and manage the system and smart devices through the app.
What to consider about ADT
ADT home security systems require professional installation. Termination fees also apply if you want to cancel before your contract expires. According to verified review data, unhappy customers are likely to mention the contract terms of its traditional systems. Those interested in self-monitored systems with DIY installation and fewer contract obligations should check out Blue by ADT.
What we like about ADT security
ADT provides free equipment when you purchase a monitoring package. We also like that if a burglary occurs while the system is armed, ADT will pay $500 of your insurance deductible (terms and conditions apply).
During our review analysis, we noticed that customers who self-reported as happy or satisfied with their experiences often had positive things to say about the company’s customer service representatives. Likewise, those who said they would recommend the system to a friend frequently referred to ADT’s helpful sales staff and smooth installation process.
- Integrated video monitoring
- Professional installation included
- No free trial period
Vector Security provides monitored security systems for residential and commercial properties. Its systems come highly recommended by users. As of publishing, a little over 90% of verified Vector customers we talked to said they would recommend the company to a friend.
What to consider about Vector
Vector security services aren’t available in all states. Because options vary by location, new customers have to contact the company directly for an accurate estimate. Also keep in mind that Vector has a relatively strict cancellation policy and doesn’t offer a free trial period.
Vector Security packages and pricing
As of publishing, packages start around $40 per month when you sign a contract. Costs vary by location. You can customize your system with smart lights, doorbell cameras and smart video surveillance, which will add to the overall cost. Professional monitoring services are included in the monthly fee.
- Essential Security
- Vector’s starter package comes with a wireless control panel, three door and window sensors, the SecurityCare Plus app, yard signs and window decals.
- Home Automation
- This package incorporates video surveillance. Footage is streamable through the app.
- Connected Home
- This includes standard starter equipment, an indoor camera, a smart thermostat and a smart door lock.
What we like about Vector home security
It’s easy to start with the basic Vector package and then add more equipment later if you like the company. You’ll get access to home security consultants to help customize your system with security cameras, video doorbells and more.
Positive Vector reviews frequently highlight the company's helpful customer service and knowledgeable alarm technicians. One customer said they chose Vector “because so many police and firefighters use them.”
- Optional DIY installation
- Professional installation: $199
- 30-day trial period
Brinks offers professional installation, but you also have the option to set up the system yourself to avoid the installation fee. Through the app, you can monitor activity, arm and unarm the system, control lighting and communicate with people at your front door.
What to consider about Brinks
Over the last year, some Brinks reviews mention it’s hard to cancel the service. Another Brinks complaint stated its tech support can be difficult to get a hold of once the installation process is complete.
Brinks Home Security packages and pricing
Brinks monitoring plans start at $19.99 per month when you sign a three-year agreement. If you don’t want to make that commitment, you can pay $29.99 a month to avoid a contract. Brinks offers emergency monitoring services through a partnership with Nest Secure, and its systems come with battery backup and 4G LTE cellular backup to ensure monitoring is uninterrupted.
All packages include the standard Brinks touch-screen panel, cellular monitoring services and access to the mobile app. Popular equipment add-ons include cameras, garage door openers, smart thermostats and water sensors.
- Smart Security Essentials
- The most affordable package from Brinks is designed for easy DIY installation.
- Smart Security Complete
- This mid-tier package comes with everything in the Essential plan plus 24/7 smartphone video.
- Smart Security Ultimate
- The most advanced package comes with an outdoor camera, a video doorbell and professional installation.
What we like about Brinks security
Reviews from happy Brinks customers frequently mention its helpful customer service. People also seem to like the doorbell camera and the app. The company provides straightforward pricing, and all its equipment comes with a two-year warranty. Unlike some security companies, Brinks gives you a whole month to decide if the system meets your expectations.
We also like that its systems are customizable and expandable. For example, you can buy the Essential package now and add a smart lock or floor sensors next year. The hub is compatible with more than 100 smart home devices and works with Google Home, Amazon Alexa, Apple TV and more. Next, compare Brinks vs. ADT.
Compare Top Home Security System Reviews
Protect Your Home
Read 1,616 Reviews
Offers monitored home security packages priced at $27.99 to $58.99/month. Installation costs $99 with 24- to 36-month contracts. Equipment includes sensors, smart locks and camera surveillance. Includes six-month refund policy.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (844) 265-4882|
Vivint Smart Home
Read 18,112 Reviews
Security and surveillance with professional monitoring plus smart home automation. Requires professional installation. System costs vary based on the equipment you select. $0 activation fee.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (833) 830-7970|
|Read 7,847 Reviews|
Free doorbell camera with a minimum purchase of a new security system! **Partner terms and conditions apply.
Designed for DIY installation. System packages cost $99 to $479.90. Financing available for qualified customers. Equipment comes with a three-year warranty. No long-term commitment required. Risk-free trial for 30 days.
|Learn More Call Now Toll Free (833) 419-5396|
Read 11,403 Reviews
24/7 Professional Monitoring for only $28.99 a Month plus a Free $100 Visa Rewards Card!**Partner terms and conditions apply.
Packages with monitoring services start at $28.99. Requires professional installation and 36-month contract. Provides a six-month money-back and theft protection guarantee. Works with landline and cellular connections.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (844) 646-2522|
Read 12,875 Reviews
Specializes in security cameras, smart home devices and monitoring systems. Select from three packages or customize a system. Monthly costs start around $40. Offers DIY options and professional installation services.
Brinks Home Security™
Read 4,276 Reviews
Partners with Nest Secure and Smart Security to offer professionally monitored security systems. Works on cellular and Wi-Fi connections. Optional installation services. 30-day trial period and two-year limited warranty.
Read 2,028 Reviews
100% cellular home alarm systems with professional monitoring. Plans cost $30.99 to $44.99 per month. Contract terms are one to three years. Requires DIY installation. Offers takeover program and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read 2,361 Reviews
Professionally installed and monitored security systems for homes and businesses. Requires a $149 equipment purchase minimum with a 60-month contract. Monthly rates start at $45.99.
|Get a Quote Call Now Toll Free (844) 277-9642|
Read 18 Reviews
Systems feature professional monitoring and flexible contract terms. Requires DIY installation. Get a 60-day trial period and lifetime warranty on equipment. Military, first responder and teacher discounts.
Read 71 Reviews
Security packages with smart home features and professional monitoring. Monthly costs start around $29.99 to $58.99. Discounts available for bundling packages and services. Not available in all areas.
|SimpliSafe||Read 304 Reviews|
Professional monitoring starts at $14.99 per month. Stream live HD video and audio through the app. No long-term contract required. Optional installation services. Provides a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Blue by ADT
Read 3,139 Reviews
Select from customizable or starter system packages starting at $219.99. DIY installation with optional professional monitoring services. No long-term contract required. Cancel any time.
|Call Now Toll Free (888) 259-3601|
|Slomins Alarm Systems|
Read 778 Reviews
Systems require professional installation and monitoring agreement. Monthly costs start at $33.95. Customize system with additional equipment purchases. Features security cameras with smart home integrations.
|Learn More Call ConsumerAffairs Toll Free (800) 252-7663|
Read 55 Reviews
Specializes in DIY systems with optional monitoring services. Costs around $10 per month. No long-term contracts. Equipment includes one-year limited warranty. Includes Ring app and works with Alexa-enabled devices.
Read 200 Reviews
Offers security solutions with professional monitoring starting around $30 to $40 per month. View HD footage and customize alerts through the app. Financing available with a 24-month contract. Requires professional installation.
How to choose a home security system
Finding a home security system can be daunting. With so many hardware components and so much new technology, it can be difficult to pick the right option. Follow these steps to determine the best home security system for you.
- 1. Evaluate your security goals and needs
- Consider the location of your home and the size of your property to decide what security features, technology and gadgets are most important to you. For example, if you live alone, you might want a home security system with a doorbell camera and two-way talk features. Homeowners who live on a large property might consider supplementing their packages with additional window and door sensors or smart locks to ensure all entry points are secure.
Remember that the most effective home security systems combine quality equipment with best practices. If you’re not sure exactly what you need, look for a system that’s expandable so you can add to it in the future if you want.
- 2. Decide if you want professional monitoring
- Professionally monitored home security systems connect to a response center that automatically dispatches emergency responders when an alarm is triggered.
With an unmonitored (sometimes called “self-monitored”) system, you can track activity on your phone and get alerts when the sensors detect motion. However, it’s up to you whether or not you contact first responders.
Monitored systems are more expensive but might be worth it. Because intrusions can happen when you’re absent or asleep, many feel safer with monitored systems. Depending on your subscription terms, operators can contact the police, fire department or a medical response team to ensure the appropriate response.
On the other hand, both system types usually come with a mobile app. Depending on your situation, you might be able to self-monitor and save on monthly fees.
- 3. Determine your installation preferences
- Installing a wired security system requires some drilling and modification. Many homeowners consider hardwired security systems more reliable since they don’t require batteries to operate. Still, these systems can be disabled during a power outage or by a thief with scissors.
Wired home alarm systems are typically more expensive than wireless ones because they require professional installation. DIY security systems are often preferable for renters because they’re more portable and can easily be moved into a new home.
- 4. Read company reviews
- Comparing alarm system reviews is the best way to find out what to expect from a company before you sign up for service. Existing home security customers are usually vocal about unfair fees and equipment durability in reviews. By reading home security service reviews, you can also learn more about a company’s monitoring operators, installation technicians and customer service representatives.
- 5. Think about your budget
- When comparing home security system pricing, consider the cost of equipment, monitoring and installation as well as activation, termination and local alarm permit fees. Many home security companies also charge high cancellation fees if you terminate an agreement before you pay for your equipment in full.
The more components and features you want — surveillance cameras, video doorbells, smart door locks, motion sensors, glass-break sensors, etc. — the more the system costs. For example, high-tech extras like touch screens and vanishing sensors cost extra — sometimes up to $300 or more. A package with video monitoring will likely cost more because you’ll need the features to stream and store footage.
Finally, consider whether or not you want to buy your equipment outright. Some security companies that offer free alarms or equipment charge more per month for monitoring. For more, read the section on costs below.
- 6. Compare system features, equipment and contracts
- Some home security companies sell alarms and equipment individually, and others offer packages for bundled devices. In addition to intrusion sensors, alarms, locks and other equipment, companies also offer environmental monitoring services. You can add detectors and sensors for fire, smoke, flood, carbon monoxide and frozen pipes onto your monthly monitoring service for increased protection.
Many home security companies offer monitored services with free equipment as long as you keep your monitoring contract. It’s important to make sure you understand all the terms before you sign anything. Even some of the top-rated home security companies get customer complaints about their cancellation policies; look for companies that offer a free trial period or money-back guarantee.
Types of home security systems
As you compare home security systems, it helps to understand the differences between wired/wireless systems and monitored/unmonitored alarms.
- Wired security systems: Wired home alarms and sensors are physically connected to a control panel through wires within the walls. Since the installation is more intensive, a professional is typically required. Wired home systems can also incorporate some wireless components, such as motion detectors and smart home automation features.
- Wireless security system: Wireless home alarm systems can use cellular and Wi-Fi connections and a series of battery-powered sensors to alert homeowners of potential intrusions. Many wireless systems incorporate smart home automation features. You can monitor your system and control wireless devices with smart home automation technology like Zigbee, Z-Wave and IFTTT.
- Monitored security systems: When the alarm is triggered on a monitored system, the system automatically connects to emergency operators; some systems notify local police too. Other systems have a two-way talk feature so operators can dispatch local police, firefighters or medical services based on the emergency response needed.
- Unmonitored security systems: Unmonitored security systems rely on notifications and the sound of the alarm to prevent intrusions. Top self-monitored systems let you customize alerts and stream live video footage from your phone.
A monitored home security system can be wireless or wired, but it’s rare to find wired unmonitored systems. You can save money with a wireless unmonitored system by avoiding monthly monitoring fees or upfront installation costs. Still, you’d lose the security that comes from automatic first responder calls.
How much does a home security system cost?
Home security costs can include upfront equipment and set-up plus recurring monthly fees for monitoring services. Starter home security systems usually cost $100 to $300 to set up. Some companies offer monitoring services with free or discounted equipment as long as you have a contract.
If the equipment requires professional installation, you might have to pay more than just the equipment price. Some companies provide free installation services. Learn more about typical home security costs below or check out these more affordable ways to prevent break-ins if you aren’t ready to purchase a system.
- Equipment costs: If you purchase a home security system upfront, expect to pay a few hundred dollars for a basic system and up to $1,000 or more for top-of-the-line equipment. Some home security companies also provide financing or rental options for equipment.
- Monitoring fees: Home security system monitoring fees can range between $15 and $60 per month. Fees vary based on the type of equipment you have — for example, a monitoring system with smart video capabilities costs more than a few wireless entryway sensors. Some companies also offer environmental monitoring like smoke and carbon monoxide detection.
- Installation costs: Home security installation costs vary based on whether you get a wired or wireless system. Wired systems that require professional assistance start at around $100 for installation, and complete professional security camera installation costs are higher. Wireless systems are simpler to install, and you can often do it yourself.
- Activation fees: Some home security companies charge a one-time activation fee of up to around $100 to get the system working. Other companies include the activation fee in the price of installation.
- Termination fees: Costly termination fees could apply if you break the contract equipment. Depending on the company, you might be on the hook for the balance of your equipment costs, even if it was advertised as free. Even some of the top-rated home security companies get complaints about their cancellation fees.
- Municipal fees for alarm permits: Some cities charge a yearly permit fee, usually $30 to $50, for local police to respond to emergency calls triggered by monitored home security systems. These alarm permit fees help offset the municipal cost of responding to false alarms. Alarm companies don’t handle permit fees, so check out your local requirements and remember to apply for a permit.
Compare home security system costs
Below, we compare a few popular home security companies on starting costs for equipment, financing programs, installation fees and recurring charges for professional monitoring services (as of publishing date). The features and equipment you want most affect the total cost of your home security system.
|Monthly monitoring fees||$14.99 to $24.99||$29.99 to $49.99||$14.99 to $34.99||$44.99 to $49.99|
|Installation costs||DIY or $79||$99 to $149||DIY||DIY|
|Worth it?||Read reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
|$200||DIY or $79||$14.99 to $24.99||Read reviews|
|$599||$99 to $149||$29.99 to $49.99||Read reviews|
|$229||DIY||$14.99 to $34.99||Read reviews|
|$99||DIY||$44.99 to $49.99||Read reviews|
*For qualifying customers.
Home security installation: DIY vs. professional
Home security systems have two basic installation options: professional and DIY installation. If you purchase a wireless home security system, you usually have the option to set it up yourself. Most hardwired systems require professional installation.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of systems. Wireless DIY home alarms are generally less expensive than those that require a professional technician to install, but many homeowners feel safer with a wired system.
Most complex wired alarm systems require professional installation. Wired home security installation costs start at around $100, though some companies offer discount installations for new customers.
- No physical labor
- In-person system tutorial
- Provider usually includes maintenance
- More reliable monitoring
- Installation fees
- Not great for renters
- Longer contracts
- Technician in your house
If you want to self-monitor your security system, you can save money by installing it yourself. Most wireless home security systems are easy to install, but you’ll be responsible for ongoing repair and maintenance. DIY home security systems are a great choice for renters because they are portable and available with short-term or no-contract plans.
- Easier to move
- Highly customizable
- Less expensive
- Usually no electrical work
- Usually requires tools
- Fewer monitoring options
- Limited equipment warranties
- DIY repairs and maintenance
Home security equipment options
Popular security gadgets include sensors triggered by motion, glass breaking or other signs of intrusion. Keep in mind that most home security equipment isn’t proprietary, so it's common to see similar devices offered by different companies.
- Contact sensors: Contact sensors alert your security system when something (usually a door or a window) opens or closes. Entry sensors are typically installed on windows, doors or near the door jamb. You can also use contact sensors to alert you if someone is tampering with a specific valuable item, such as a jewelry box or gun safe.
- Motion sensors: Sometimes called motion detectors, these use light, sound or microwave technology to sense when someone enters a room.
- Interior sirens: Most home alarm sirens are between 110 and 115 decibels. The noise must be loud to alert you and to scare intruders attempting to break in.
- Surveillance cameras: Surveillance cameras are a must for many homes and businesses — they’re effective in catching thieves in action, and recordings can be used as evidence. Some research suggests that the mere presence of a visible security camera can deter potential intruders. Depending on your security needs, a CCTV system can be installed indoors or outside. The most popular models incorporate night vision, heat tracking and cloud storage. Residential security cameras typically use 128-bit or 256-bit AES encryption, which is versatile and easy to work with but still can be hacked. Popular types of security cameras include:
- Spotlight cameras: These cameras combine motion sensor technology with surveillance. When the motion detector is triggered, the camera shines a light toward the activity and starts recording. Some spotlight cameras require hardwiring to install while others simply plug into a standard outlet.
- Nanny cams: Nanny cams are specifically designed to keep an eye on people inside your home. They’re most commonly installed in living rooms and bedrooms so parents can check on their babysitters and children.
- Dome cameras: Usually mounted on the ceiling, dome cameras get their name from their circular shape. They’re popular for their durability (resistant to bad weather and vandalism) and their ability to capture wide angles.
- Bullet cameras: These have a cylindrical shape and can be installed on a wall. While dome cameras are best for recording wide angles, bullet cameras are ideal for long ranges.
- Video doorbells: Video doorbells incorporate cameras and motion sensors to alert you when someone is at your door. Look for functions like two-way talk and HD video, which make it easy to keep an eye on your porch deliveries.
- Mobile app: Many burglar alarm companies’ monitoring packages come with a mobile app that integrates smart home automation features. You can use the app to self-monitor for emergencies and control household items like lights, locks and doors.
- Smart home integrations: Smart home security systems focus on convenience and are controlled remotely through the app. Smart home automation technology is increasingly popular in security systems. With smart tech, you can adjust the lights, lock doors and arm or disarm your system from anywhere through an app on your mobile device. These systems are highly customizable and let users choose how they’re installed, what type of surveillance is used and which features are included.
- Environmental monitoring: Some home security services offer environmental monitoring to detect hazards like smoke, fire, flooding, freezing pipes, carbon monoxide and gas leaks.
As you compare product models, remember to check for a warranty and ask about a free trial period.
Home security FAQ
- What is a home security system?
- Basic home security equipment includes window and door sensors, door locks and a central panel or base hub that arms and disarms the alarm system. Optional equipment, including video doorbells, indoor and outdoor cameras, glass-break sensors and home automation features, is usually available at an additional cost. Home alarm companies typically include a set of yard signs and window stickers — research shows these are effective in deterring potential intruders.
- How much does a home security system cost to install?
- Home security system installation costs depend on your method of installation. Professional installation can cost $100 to $500 or more. The DIY method is free, but it requires more of your time. Some companies let you choose your installation method, while others require professional installation.
- How much does a home security system save on insurance?
- Many home insurance providers offer discounts (sometimes up to 20%) for homes with monitored alarm systems. So if you pay $1,000 for your homeowners insurance annually and get a 10% discount, you’ll save $100 each year on insurance simply for having a monitored security system. For more, learn about other ways you can save money on homeowners insurance.
- What are the chances of a house being robbed?
- Last year, FBI figures indicated robbery crime rates were 81.6 per 100,000 people. Theft is the most common property crime in the United States, according to the Pew Research Center. However, it’s difficult to predict the chances of anyone’s house being robbed since burglary statistics vary widely by location.
- What is the best wireless security system to buy?
- The best wireless home security systems are simple to install and have all the features you’re looking for. Many systems have a range of add-ons, including smart home automation features, motion sensors, glass-break detectors and remote access controls. For more, read our guide on how to find the best wireless home security system.
- Can you change alarm monitoring companies?
- If you’re not satisfied with your home security service, you can change alarm monitoring companies either by breaking your contract or choosing not to renew it. You may incur fees for early termination, so make sure you’re familiar with the cancellation terms of your current contract.
Depending on your previous provider, you might be able to keep using your existing security equipment. Work with your new provider to find out if your current equipment is worth keeping or if you should upgrade to the latest in smart home security.
- Are wireless home security systems safe?
- Wireless home security systems are just as safe as wired systems. They’re easy to customize with add-ons like window sensors and surveillance cameras, so you can create a system that makes you feel safe.
Wireless security systems are continuously monitored and have battery backups so your home is safe even in a power outage. They’re also harder for burglars to bypass since they can’t be disabled by cutting phone lines.
- Is there a security camera that works without Wi-Fi?
- Yes, some security cameras work without Wi-Fi. Cellular surveillance cameras work with a cellular network connection, making them ideal for remote locations without Wi-Fi access. Hardwired cameras are another option — though they require cables for power and video transmission, they provide reliable high-definition video that’s less susceptible to interference.
What are the best home security companies near me?
A local home security company has all the information you need to know about permits and regulations in your city. We compared our favorite local home security companies across the U.S. to help you find the right one for you.
- Colorado Springs
- Corpus Christi
- Fort Myers
- Green Bay
- Kansas City
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- San Antonio
- San Diego
- Santa Barbara
- West Palm Beach
Home alarm system reviews
Frontpoint’s wireless smart home security pricing starts at $44.99 a month with no long-term commitment required.. With Frontpoint, you purchase your system outright. The upfront cost could be a few hundred dollars once you add extra sensors, remotes and other accessories.
- Security equipment: Packages include a control panel or base hub, a keypad, two window and door sensors, a motion sensor, a yard sign, window decals and door stickers. Glass-break sensors, smoke and heat sensors, indoor cameras and doorbell cameras are also available. Systems include sensors with crash-and-smash technology and fire alerts.
- Security features: Frontpoint's mobile apps let you access your security system and control your home from anywhere you have an internet connection with a computer or smartphone.
- Monitoring services: Interactive and Ultimate security plans include 24/7 professional monitoring services.
- Installation: All equipment is designed to be installed by the customer. Frontpoint's wireless sensors are easy to set up and require no hard wiring, which means the system can be moved to a new address with little effort.
- Trial period: Frontpoint doesn’t offer a free trial period. However, products include a three-year warranty.
Brinks Home Security offers monitored security systems starting at $29 a month with a 36-month contract. DIY and professional installation options are available. The company offers 0% APR financing.
- Security equipment: Smart security system equipment packages range from $199 to $1,099. The company offers touchscreen control panels with home automation features, home alarms, indoor and outdoor security cameras, video doorbells, motion sensors, smoke and flood detectors and wireless door sensors.
- Security features: Arm and disarm your home remotely with the Brinks app. The app can also control locks, access camera footage, act as a two-way communication device and let you manage home automation features, including lights and thermostat controls.
- Monitoring services: Monthly monitoring fees range from $29 to $53 with a standard 36-month agreement.
- Installation: Brinks offers both professional and DIY installation options. Brinks’ wireless DIY systems are easy to take with you when you move into a new home.
- Trial period: Try your home security system with a risk-free 30-day trial before deciding if it’s right for you.
Protect America’s home security and automation packages start at $19.99 a month and have a one-time $19.95 activation fee. Contract terms are typically 36 months, and a 60-day cancellation notice is required.
SafeStreetsUSA offers monitored home security packages that start at $36.99 a month with a three-year contract. Wired and wireless home alarm systems are available. SafeStreets is an ADT-authorized provider.
Vivint has professionally installed security systems packages starting at $29.99 per month. Security kits with smart home automation start at $39.99 per month. Basic packages are available starting at $29.99. Contract terms range from 42 to 60 months. Customers can avoid a long-term contract by purchasing the equipment upfront.
Protection 1’s home security system pricing starts at $34.99 a month. The company offers home automation features for an additional charge. Protection 1 covers up to $1,000 towards your insurance deductible.
Guardian Protection Services offers customizable home security options with multiple packages and more than a dozen add-on upgrades. Wired security packages start at $45.99 a month with 36-month contracts. Guardian Protection Services’ Best Price Guarantee states the company will match any written or web-based quote for comparable home security system installation. Guardian Protection services are available in Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Security equipment: Products include the Guardian IQ2 panel, a 110-decibel siren,a carbon monoxide detector, door and window sensors, glass break detectors, security cameras, video doorbells, streaming video recorders, motion detectors, medical pendants and smart home modules. The company also offers smoke, heat and water detectors.
- Security features: Guardian Protection offers some of the most customizable home security options with multiple packages and more than a dozen add-on upgrades. Get smart home automation and control Z-Wave-powered thermostats, lights, locks and garage doors from anywhere with your mobile device.
- Monitoring services: 24/7 professional monitoring starts at $45.99 a month.
- Installation: Guardian protection provides professional installation.
- Trial period: Details on trial periods and return or cancellation periods were not readily available from Guardian Protection's website.
Vector’s home security packages start at $39.95 a month with a 36-month contract. Vector Security customizes home alarm solutions to fit your lifestyle and has options for singles, seniors living alone, empty nesters, families and couples.
- Security equipment: Essential security equipment includes a wireless control panel, three door and window sensors, motion detectors, a security camera and yard signs. Vector Security also offers optional equipment, including two-way intercoms and personal emergency response with push-button support.
- Security features: Vector offers security systems, home automation and connected home options, including voice-commanded thermostats, automatic door locks and indoor cameras that sync with devices. Vector Security’s systems are compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Home and Z-Wave. Vector also offers tools that help with energy management and ensure doors and windows are closed when the homeowner is away.
- Monitoring services: Security systems are backed up with Vector’s 24/7 monitoring. Customers with security cameras can view live video or recorded video and add video monitoring to their plan.
- Installation: Vector Security provides professional installation for their systems.
- Trial period: We did not find any information about a trial period from Vector Security. Its cancellation policy requires written notification, and you may be required to pay your remaining balance if you cancel before your contract expires.
Slomin’s Alarm Systems offers home security systems and home automation solutions. Select from home security packages starting at $29.95 a month.
ADT's home security monitoring and home automation packages start at $27.99 a month with 36-month contracts. The company offers DIY options for renters through Blue by ADT.
- Security equipment: The company offers comprehensive solutions for almost any security requirement. Its equipment includes entryway contacts, motion detectors, yard signs, window decals, cameras, emergency alarms and home automation devices.
- Security features: The ADT Pulse app lets users access their security system, receive text alerts, turn lights on and off, adjust thermostats and more from anywhere. ADT Go lets you take your security on the go with SOS emergency response, crash detection and family-location sharing via your mobile phone.
- Monitoring services: The company offers 24/7 professional monitoring for intrusion and environmental hazards.
- Installation: ADT provides professional installation. While installation fees can cost up to $199, many ADT installation packages roll together equipment fees with professional installation.
- Trial period: ADT offers six-month money-back guarantees, so customers have plenty of time to make sure they’re satisfied with the system.
Cove provides wireless home security systems with professional monitoring starting at $15 a month. Cove’s Triple Touch monitoring includes text and LiveAssist options for faster response times. Customers can cancel at any time.
- Security equipment: Cove security equipment includes a touch alarm panel, burglary and intrusion sensors, environmental detectors, remotes, medical alerts and indoor cameras.
- Security features: Cove home security is compatible with smartphone, Amazon Alexa and Google Home voice control. Through the home security app, you can get notifications or request emergency assistance via text or talk through your phone or the system’s home control panel.
- Monitoring services: Get 24/7 live monitoring through Cove LiveAssist and Cove InstaText. Cove’s security works on a cellular network, so it operates during power outages.
- Installation: The home security system is preconfigured for simple DIY installation. Cove advertises the installation process takes an average of 27 minutes.
- Trial period: Cove provides a 60-day trial period. If you aren’t satisfied, simply return your system for a full refund.
Alder Security sells basic home security packages starting at $34.99 a month. Response times are quick and include responses for break-ins and medical emergencies.
CPI Security Systems’ wireless home security pricing starts at $29.99 a month with 60-month contracts. CPI charges a $99 activation fee for homeowners and $299 for renters. CPI can provide monitoring services for an existing home alarm system without installing new equipment. Wireless home security system installation and monitoring services are available in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, Alabama, Florida and Tennessee.
Protect Your Home offers security equipment and monitoring starting at $27.99 a month. Professional installation costs $99 with a 24- or 36-month contract. Home automation features are available through the ADT Pulse app. The ADT Theft Protection Guarantee covers up to $500 towards a homeowner’s deductible if a burglary occurs when the system is armed.
- Security equipment: Options include a digital keypad, motion sensors, wireless door and window sensors, door locks, home security cameras, video surveillance and environmental sensors for carbon monoxide, fire and flooding.
- Security features: The ADT Pulse app lets you arm or disarm your home security system, monitor your home remotely and receive text alerts and email notifications of activity.
- Monitoring services: Monitoring fees start at $27.99 per month. Monitoring services include fire, carbon monoxide, flooding, smoke and burglar alarms.
- Installation: Professional home alarm installation costs $99. Most customers have a security system installed in as little as a day.
- Trial period: You can receive a refund for installation and monitoring fees within the first six months, but some restrictions apply.
Blue by ADT sells Wi-Fi-operated security systems that are compatible with most smart home devices. Monthly monitoring packages start at $19.99. Month-to-month plans without long-term contracts are available.
- Security equipment: Choose from three home security packages or build your own custom system. Each system starts with a base hub, an entry keypad, a yard sign, window stickers and access to the mobile app. Other equipment includes door and window sensors, fire sensors, keychain remotes, and indoor, outdoor and doorbell cameras.
- Security features: Blue by ADT’s equipment is compatible with Z-Wave Plus devices, IFTTT, Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa for voice commands and home automation.
- Monitoring services: Blue by ADT advertises a first-month-free offer for monitoring. Monitoring services start at $19.99 after the promotional period.
- Installation: The company’s wireless systems are DIY plug-and-protect — easy to install in less than an hour without a professional.
- Trial period: Blue by ADT offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Home8’s pricing for self-monitored, cloud-based security systems starts at $240. Homeowners can choose from several different packages, depending on their needs. You don’t need to sign a contract to buy a system. The company also sells a fire, heat and smoke alert system that notifies you of smoke or fire when you are outside of your home.
- Security equipment: Home8’s security packages are more than just a camera or a keypad. The kits also include door and window sensors, remotes and an alarm that sounds when triggered to ward off intruders.
- Security features: Home8’s free mobile app sends automated alerts to your smartphone. Systems are also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Echo, Google Assistant, Apple Watch and more.
- Monitoring services: Home8’s systems are self-monitored.
- Installation: Home8’s systems are “systems-in-a-box” that only take a few minutes to install on your own. Connect the unit to your existing broadband, activate through your phone and install the rest of your devices to be up and running in no time.
- Trial period: New customers get a free trial of premium services for the first 60 days after activating the system.
Pricing for Safe Home Security’s monitored home security systems starts at $30 a month. Customers can schedule monthly, quarterly or annual payments. Automatic payments can be set up through a bank account or with a credit card. The company provides a free evaluation to help consumers determine which services they need.
Alert 360’s monitored security systems for homes and businesses start at $15.95 a month. Professional installation is required. Alert 360 security services are available in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Maryland.
SafeZone24’s alarm system pricing starts at $27.95 a month for plans with three-year contracts. The company offers wired, wireless and siren-only burglar alarm systems. Systems are available for residential and commercial properties, and the company works with you to plan a security system that fits your budget and security needs.
- Security equipment: SafeZone24’s systems utilize surveillance cameras and facial recognition technology to prevent crime and catch criminals in the act.
- Security features: Wireless smoke detector solutions operate even when the power is out, notifying the fire department or a monitoring team in the event of a suspected fire.
- Monitoring services: Systems are available with professional monitoring.
- Installation: SafeZone24 specializes in professional CCTV installation services. Pricing varies, but you can request a free quote.
- Trial period: Each system comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
SimpliSafe’s monitored home security plans start at $14.99 a month. All systems require DIY installation and include a three-year warranty and 60-day money-back guarantee. SimpliSafe does not require a long-term contract.
A3 Smart Home’s monitored residential security plan pricing starts at $29.95/month. Base system equipment costs $99 and includes a free home security audit. Optimize your system for an additional $7.95 a month. A residential extended service agreement covers equipment replacements and repairs.
Xfinity Home customers choose from different base package options and add devices for a completely customized home security and automation system. Customized home security system pricing starts at $24.99 a month with a two-year contract. Add video recording to your plan for an additional $9.95 per month. Comcast customers can enjoy a discount by bundling their Xfinity Home system with TV and internet services.
Cox Homelife offers monitored home security and automation packages that start at around $30 per month. Customers can bundle their security package with internet, phone or cable service to receive a discount.
Canary’s all-in-one security device starts at $199. Home security camera installation is easy, and the device comes with a one-year warranty. Wi-Fi is required.
- Security equipment: Canary includes video monitoring, siren and home air quality alerts in one system, so there’s no need to buy or connect multiple devices. Canary comes with 12 hours of storage for free, and homeowners can upgrade to get two to 30 days of storage. Plans can be upgraded at any time.
- Security features: Canary has different settings that let you turn your camera off completely when you want to enjoy family time in private. You can contact authorities with one touch for fast emergency response during a break-in or other emergency. The Canary app tracks your location through your phone and automatically arms and disarms accordingly. You can also link your family members’ phones.
- Monitoring services: Canary is a self-monitoring security device equipped with an HD night vision camera and intelligent motion detection.
- Installation: Canary security systems are designed for DIY installation.
- Trial period: Return the product for any reason within 60 days to get a full refund.
Ring offers self-installed home security systems with or without monitoring fees. Choose from a variety of standalone security and monitoring products. Security System Kits start at $199.99.
Abode starter home security packages start at $199. Customizable home security packages are available with professional monitoring or self-monitoring. Abode offers bundle packages with discounted pricing.
- Security equipment: Customize your system with door and window sensors, glass-break detectors, cameras, motion sensors, smoke alarms, indoor and outdoor burglar alarms and signage.
- Security features: Monitor your home with security app access for iOS and Android devices. Devices with voice-command capabilities are compatible with IFTTT, Google Assistant, Google Home, Nest, Amazon Alexa, Hue, Ecobee, LIFX, Yale, Z-Wave, First Alert, Zigbee and more.
- Monitoring services: Optional professional security system monitoring starts at $8.33 a month.
- Installation: Have your home security system professionally installed or do it yourself.
- Trial period: Abode doesn’t offer a free trial but has a 30-day return policy.
Compare Top Home Security System Reviews
|Safe Home Security, Inc.|
Read 359 Reviews
Offers home alarm and fire monitoring systems with smart automation features. Professional and DIY installation options. Comes with a mobile app. Provides yearly on-site checkups.
Read 173 Reviews
Choose a preconfigured package or customize your system. Features include smart lights, wireless doorbell cameras and video doorbells. Professional monitoring services start at $15.95 monthly. Requires professional installation.
|CPI Security Systems|
Read 377 Reviews
Video monitoring supports up to four cameras. Minimum equipment cost is around $500. Financing available with credit approval and monthly monitoring agreement. Requires professional installation. Not available in all states.
|Learn More Call ConsumerAffairs Toll Free (855) 954-0587|
Read 1,000 Reviews
Partners with ADT to offer professional alarm monitoring nationwide. Monthly fees start at $36.99. Most contracts run for 36 months. Charges $99 to $199 for installation services. Same-day installation available in most states.
|Learn More Call ConsumerAffairs Toll Free (425) 249-9065|
Read 942 Reviews
Monitored security packages start at $34.99/month with 24- to 36-month contract. Charges $99 for professional installation. Includes touchscreen control panel, door and window sensors and motion sensor with standard equipment.
|Learn More Call ConsumerAffairs Toll Free (855) 647-2646|
|A3 Smart Home|
Read 107 Reviews
Designed for DIY installation. Equipment packages cost $17 to $34 per month when you sign a 36-month contract. Professional monitoring packages run $24.99 to $34.99 per month. Not available in all states.
|Firex Smoke Alarms|
Read 35 Reviews
Battery-powered and hardwired fire alarms. Prices from $6.99 to $120. Some devices include 10-year batteries, carbon monoxide detection and egress lighting. Purchase online or from major hardware stores.
|Alder Security||Read Reviews|
Personalized security systems take about two days to ship and 30 minutes to install. Equipment comes with professional monitoring services. Costs vary by location. Get mobile access through the Adler app.
Professional monitoring runs on Wi-Fi with cellular backup. Designed for DIY installation. Packages cost $229 to $549. No annual contract required. Includes 60-day money-back guarantee and three-year product warranty.
|Abode||Read Author Review|
Offers flexible monitoring plans without long-term contracts. Self-monitor through the app or choose professional monitoring for about $9 per month. Get discounts for paying annually. Equipment costs vary. Financing options.
|Canary||Read Author Review|
Device includes HD camera, night vision and motion-activated recording. Professional monitoring service plans start around $10 per month. Provides free shipping and has a 60-day refund policy.
|Home8||Read Author Review|
Expandable systems designed for DIY installation. Provides free basic interactive service with optional professional monitoring for $9 to $10 per month. Equipment packages starting from $69.99 to $189.99. No contract required.
|SafeZone24||Read Author Review|
Provides risk assessment, site planning, system design and security integration. Three-year contracts. Plans start at $27.95 a month. Available nationwide. Professional CCTV installation. Facial recognition software.
Read 2,642 Reviews
|Out Of Business|
Monitored plans start at $19.99/month plus a one-time $19.95 activation fee. Systems require DIY installation and 36-month contract. Available equipment includes Z-Wave hubs, smart locks, glass-break sensors and wireless cameras.
Read 37 Reviews
|Out Of Business|
GetSafe no longer provides home security systems. All customer accounts were transferred to Link Interactive.
|Learn More Call ConsumerAffairs Toll Free (855) 389-3519|
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.