- Monthly fee
- $45.99 to $61.99
- Equipment costs
- $155.98 to $1,109.60 (financing available)
- Compatible with
- Alexa, Google Home and Samsung devices
- Our favorite system
- Video & Smart Home
ADT is our pick for a traditional, professionally installed home security system with professional monitoring. The company has a track record in the security industry that’s over 145 years old, and it offers all the features and equipment we expect from a modern home security company.
The Video & Smart Home package is our favorite. The system comes with a digital touchscreen panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector, a smart lock, a Nest camera and a Nest doorbell. It costs $1,387 if you pay upfront, or you can finance it over 24, 36 or 60 months ($18.49 to $46.23 per month).
Packages include a six-month money-back guarantee. Plus, if a burglary occurs while the system is armed, ADT will pay $500 off your insurance deductible (terms and conditions apply).
- DIY or pro installation
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- Variety of equipment options
- Six-month money-back guarantee
- Reliable service
- Customizable systems
“It's easy to use and their customer service is outstanding,” a ConsumerAffairs reviewer in Alabama said about their ADT alarm system.
"Compared to a lot of companies that I've had to deal with, ADT has been really nice and on top of things,” a reviewer in Alabama told us, highlighting the customer service and installation.
Pam in Indiana pointed out that ADT feels more secure than some of the DIY options: “ADT is not that expensive and the monitoring is excellent. They do a great job and I would choose them over Ring. A lot of those systems can be hacked and from what I've been told, it's very hard to hack the actual ADT system.”
Dennis in Michigan put it more simply: “The system works and that's all I care about.”
ADT isn’t the cheapest, you have to sign a 36-month contract, and the surveillance cameras are really only worth it if you have a reliable internet connection.
Some reviewers told us about technical difficulties. “Sometimes the cameras go offline and I don't get the video,” according to Deena in Washington, even though “the system works well most of the time.”
- Costs: ADT’s professionally installed packages cost more than some DIY options, but you might feel more confident having your system installed by a knowledgeable technician. Be aware that there’s a $59 fee if they have to come to your house and fix something, though.
- Monitoring contract: With professional systems, you have to sign a three-year contract for monitoring services. If you cancel early, ADT can charge you 75% of the monthly service fees due for the balance of your term.
- Internet requirements: You need a working internet modem and Wi-Fi in your house for the Video & Smart Home system. It has to be good enough to accommodate upload speeds of 2.5 Mbps for each doorbell and 2.0 Mbps for each camera.
With ADT, you can shop for packages or build your own system. All professionally installed systems come with a command panel, entry sensors, motion detectors, a security key fob, yard signs, window decals and 24/7 professional monitoring.
- Smart Home package: Includes a touchscreen panel, three door/window sensors, a motion detector and a smart lock. It costs $679.20 when you pay upfront, or you can finance starting at $11.32 per month over 60 months. Ongoing monitoring services cost $49.99 per month.
- Video & Smart Home package includes a digital touchscreen panel, four sensors, smart door lock, Nest Doorbell and Nest Cam. It costs $1,109.60 when you pay upfront, or you can finance starting at $18.49 per month over 60 months. Ongoing monitoring services cost $61.99 per month.