View Rates

2. Mortgages

4.5/5 (1058 ratings)

About AmeriSave Mortgage

AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation is an online, direct-to-consumer lender for home loans in 49 states and Washington, D.C. The company also offers refinancing options for those who want to lower their payment or take out cash. AmeriSave has funded over $55 billion in home loans since 2002.

Pros

• Variety of loan programs
  • Free calculator tools online
  • Quick online quote process

Cons

• Not available in New York
  • Some closing delays

Bottom Line

AmeriSave offers a wide range of loan services in most states. Some customers complain about closing delays, but eligible borrowers can find affordable and fair rates for buying a house or refinancing an existing loan.

Top AmeriSave Mortgage Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation?

Verified

My husband found Amerisave and thought their rates were good. We went with them and enjoyed the experience tremendously. They were very quick, very easy and very forthcoming which...

Verified

I wanted a lower interest rate and to take some cash out so I got refinancing through AmeriSave. Everything was amazing… The rates and terms that I got were good. I was talking to...

What is AmeriSave?

AmeriSave is an online mortgage lender. The company offers various types of loans for buying a home or refinancing an existing mortgage. It specializes in the following types of conventional and nonconforming mortgage loans.

• Fixed-rate loans
  • Jumbo loans
  • Cash-out refinancing
  • Rate and term refinancing

AmeriSave rates and fees

As of January 2021, the rate advertised for a 30-year fixed mortgage is 2.125%, with a 2.460% APR. This estimate is based on a $250,000 conventional refinance loan in Georgia, and assumes the borrower has a 740 FICO Score and 80% LTV (loan-to-value ratio). For the most accurate and up-to-date information available, use the free online rate tool to calculate rates for your situation.

AmeriSave Mortgage doesn’t disclose all fees online, but there is a nonrefundable $500 application fee, according to verified reviews. Expect to pay additional expenses, such as closing costs, as part of taking out a home loan.

AmeriSave FAQ

What are AmeriSave’s minimum borrower requirements?
The minimum credit score for a conventional loan from AmeriSave is 620. For FHA loans, it's 580, but for FHA loans over $700,000, you must have a credit score of at least 640. Homeowners must have at least 20% equity to be eligible for a cash-out refinance.
How does AmeriSave work?
To apply for a mortgage loan or view mortgage options with AmeriSave, visit its website and complete the following steps:
  1. Provide your information. Each quote is customized to your specific situation but does not require personal identifying information, such as your Social Security number.
  2. Get prequalified. Customers can prequalify for a loan in just a few minutes.
  3. Compare quote options. View a variety of options with no hard credit pull and no hidden fees.
  4. Apply online. Pick which quote is best for you and apply directly online or by calling the company.
  5. Schedule your closing date. AmeriSave schedules closing at a time and location convenient for you.
Can I pay my AmeriSave mortgage online?
Yes, AmeriSave has an online portal for customers to pay their bills and manage their mortgage.
How does AmeriSave verify my assets?
AmeriSave offers paperless asset verification through AccountChek.
Where is AmeriSave located?
AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation is based in Atlanta.

Is AmeriSave legit?

Yes, AmeriSave is a legitimate mortgage and refinancing company. It offers a range of programs that are good borrowing options for some people. However, not all applicants are eligible to take out a home loan.

AmeriSave Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriSave Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriSave Mortgage Corporation?

Original review: July 19, 2021

I did a refinance with cash out. The process was prompt from the minute I entered the information, and then right away, I got a call from the rep. Yasmine called me right back and waited for the process. They were very clear. I had some concern. They were so quick and fast. I was like, "Is this a real company or not?" The application process is better than most. Go through all the information, it was collected. And it went well with whenever it needed to pull in my income information, so it was great. When you upload documents, sometimes it keeps asking for the same stuff even after you upload it. But it wasn't that big of a deal. Overall, it's almost better than Rocket Mortgage because I went through the same process. It's also better than Caliber Mortgage.

AmeriSave did it in less than 30 days. And the underwriting took less than a week. The minute where we got all the information in, and they told me when I was approved. There were some last minute requests for some documentation. I was very happy with it. What they told me in the good based estimates on the beginning where we were at was always a judgment based on the actual cost of things. But overall, it was aligned exactly what he told me upfront. There wasn't any hanky-panky, like, "Oh, it's this." And then later on tell me, "By the way, there's a fee." I've done many mortgages before, and that part of it, company-wise was the best that I've ever experienced. And then, the customer service from the mortgage broker to the processor, to tell me the next step, I was very happy.

I appreciate that people were very prompt, and the fact that I have multiple ways to talk to them, it fits in terms of my work schedule and needs. Because sometimes I like to talk to someone, but other times I'm so busy, I just like to post my questions right onto the site itself. And then the third way was the email. And in each occasion, it was all very prompt. And then even while we have to go through and schedule with third party with the closing, with the notary for final closing and also for the appraisal, that was done very smooth, even though it was a third party. They coordinated well for me.

When I call Yasmine, it doesn't go to a voicemail. One time it did, and then she called me back right away. For the most part, she answered 99%. She was amazingly prompt every time I email her or call her. She calls me and tells me right away. She said, and then truly her behavior worked that way, "Hey, Linh. I know that the reason you're doing this because you're trying to save money on your mortgages. That's why you're doing it. And I will work as fast as I can to get this closed for you. Because then that way you can start saving money." I want to close fast on what I did that I need to get done. So that stuck with me.

Also, there were some occasions when she gave me a heads up that, "Oh, by the way, when I was reviewing your file, this was missing. Here's what I think you should do to kind of get that address and stuff like that." So, she was very proactive. And then as far as the email inquiry, it was as if she was monitoring her email. Because during this time, I was expecting that there's a 24-hour, because everyone's refinancing, even the processor. If I want to refinance again, I would definitely use AmeriSave.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Refinancing is a long process. So, the beginning phone calls are probably the most important because those are the time you are entering this thing and getting more detailed information. Every time I call AmeriSave, the rep there picks up the phone. They helped me all the time in the first half of the process. That's good enough for me and that's why I like AmeriSave. They also had a lower rate. After the first part of the process, their rep was no longer there always talking to me. I understand that. I'm doing a second mortgage with them as well.

Everybody relies on an automatic system. They cut costs. But the problem is the second half of the process, I constantly receive emails from AmeriSave asking me for more information, even though I've already given them the information before. I also called and told them that I had given them in different ways. I had emailed the loan processor or I'd upload the information based on their direction but I was still receiving emails asking me for the same information. The rep said that those things were generated automatically.

Fortunately, I kept all information backed up in my drive so every time AmeriSave asked, I could just give them my gap. But I hate to give them the same thing again and again. Also, those are confidential information and I don't want them flying on the internet all the time. So that's one thing that they need to improve. After the main loan processor finished his part, he passed it to a different assistant and the same thing happened again. AmeriSave sent me an email and I replied and told them not to send me the email again. Then the next day, the email comes again. It just pops automatically.

On the second mortgage, an appraisal has to be done. The appraisal was supposed to be done about two weeks ago already. The reason why we cannot do it is because of the schedule we've had before with the tenant. The tenant got COVID and we didn't want the appraiser to step in the house. AmeriSave said that the appraiser didn't have to go into the house. They could just go outside, take the measurement and get the major dimensions. I found my survey plan that showed how large the property was and the floor plan from the builder. So we know what's going on inside the house. I gave those to them and I talked to the appraiser as well. The appraiser said that the information was good enough and he would see if they could generate the appraisal report and give a reasonable estimate of the house value this way. I've been actively cooperating with them and they will probably go to the property on March 15.

In the next couple of weeks, we'd probably be able to close this loan. I asked AmeriSave if there was anything else that I needed to do or to help. But so far, nobody answered me. The whole process is already on the way but I still need confirmation from them if there's anything else that needs to be done. There's a limitation of 90 days for the lock rate and I don't want it to be expired. So now, I'm just waiting. Everybody is talking about refinancing because everybody knows the rate is low and I've told them my story with AmeriSave and recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

The process is terrible. But the person who ran the process was the most helpful person I've ever worked with. I've done this before. It was the first time that I did it with one of these national things where everything literally is done through the internet. I had a woman named Jessica and of all the people who called me when I was trying to decide what I wanted to do, she kept, not nagging me, but saying, “Hey, I'm here.” And that worked out good. I finally said, “Okay, I'll see what she's got.” And I said, “I want to have the lowest interest rate possible so that my monthly payment would be as low as possible.” That means that I don't have to worry about having some excess points sitting around. Because I can always deduct that, assuming we go back to that normal tax thing.

She had me go through this thing where I could play off the amount of money that I would have to lay in points to the interest rate. That was absolutely perfect. I could do it myself. I did not have to ask a question and wonder whether, “Oh, yeah. That's what they say the lowest rate is.” This was right on the thing. And if I didn't like it, hang up. Sorry, Jessica. That's the end.

I got a 2%, and that's the rate that I’m paying. It's not the effective interest rate because you have to factor in the amount of points that you're leaving on the line. But I didn't care because all I want to do is go up to heaven peacefully. So I said to Jessica, “Okay, yeah. I see 2%. How do I make sure I get that?” And then she explained the process for locking in and what we would have to do. She was very good at that.

The problem was Jessica was dealing with the screwiest information system that I've ever seen. They would ask, “Okay, this is what we need. We need it instantly if you want to save you money.” Okay, I put it in, and then the next day, I would get another thing. Ever heard of the term, the death of a thousand cuts? It's a Chinese torture. That's what AmeriSave’s information system is.

As we got further along, in December, I got this thing that said, “Congratulations. Your mortgage is approved and we'll be moving toward closing.” “Oh, my God, that's a lot faster than Jessica said.” It turned out, for whatever reason, that was their stupid computer system. So we went through early January. And then this happened every week. There was something coming in. I had a problem with my aged computers. The computers are fine for what I want to do with them. I've got two laptops, one will run my printer/scanner combination, but only to scan something. I've got the other one that I use for most of my stuff that will print on this thing, but only print. And it will go on the internet. But the other one won't go on the internet, so I couldn't scan my mortgage bill and get it on to the internet.

I made trips up to Staples, and that didn't bother me. It wasn't that expensive. But then, many times, I would put the stuff in and couldn't get them to recognize it. Jessica helped me more than most people that I've dealt with have helped me. I’ve got an iPhone 6s and she taught me how to take a picture of a document and send it to her, and then she loaded in a thing. And we kept getting these stupid things. I must have gotten five or six things saying, “Congratulations. You're moving to closing now,” or words to that effect. But she helped me.

And then it got worse. When we were getting close to closing, she indicated that I would have to have the attorney come to me. Okay, because we've done that in the past. She indicated that early in the game, because I said we would go wherever the guy was. But she said, “No, he'll come to you.” As we were getting right into the closing thing, her manager indicated that she felt that I had been mistreated. I guess I'm used to that. Because a lot of the problems were with the title company. I kept getting these closing documents. And after I got tired of reading them until we got to the final, but I noticed that the amount of funds I would get back, which were in the $5,000 to $8,000 range, kept changing. I understood why they were changing, because they had overestimated the amount of money that I would owe a couple of my other companies.

But then all of a sudden, it would cost me $600 something to have the lawyer show up. That was a surprise. I've never had to pay for an attorney to show up. I did not raise that issue with Jessica. But she was upset because the title company hadn't put that in. So there we were right at the close, and all of a sudden, there was this charge showing up for $600 something. Not a great amount.

AmeriSave said that American Title owed me money because of the way they handled these things. And I haven't got that yet. I had to pay something that I really didn't intend to pay, or at least half of it. That pissed me off. Then they would send me a check. And Texas got all kinds of snow, freezing weather, and they were going to FedEx that check to me. It took a week or more before FedEx even picked it up. It took five days for FedEx to actually get it on the ground to Boston. And then from Boston, it took them four days, but that included a weekend to get the thing from Logan Airport up to me, 26 miles.

But other than that, I've recommended Jessica. I was a little worried about AmeriSave. Because when you look at the Better Business Bureau report, some of those things about the people who initiated it, and then they never hear from them again. I've had that experience with a lot of people, particularly in the mortgage business. But Jessica, when she said to me, “We're still working on seeing if you can get the refund,” my reply was, “I guess, Jessica, I can always trust that you will do what you believe is right.” Jessica was super. She helped me and I had a good opinion of AmeriSave based on that one person.

Get somebody who understands the process. Take somebody who has been through the process. There didn't seem to be the need to tell me that we were proceeding to the closing. And then a couple of days later, “Oh, and one more thing you got to supply.” Whatever AmeriSave does to get rid of that would be a real improvement.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I found AmeriSave online and it appeared that their advertising communicated well that we would save money. When I called other places and got what their rates would be for the type of loan we were wanting to do, AmeriSave was better. The application and underwriting process took about three months because we had some things to overcome. We knew we had a potential lien issue, which we took care of but once that was taken care of, we thought that everything would have been just going down the highway at warp speed. But that wasn't the case.

We found out, at that point, that our debt-to-income ratio was too high. That should have been very clear at the time they learned about the lien. They knew our credit and income. We should have known that ahead of time so that we could have done what we needed to do. I remember speaking with the guy and he said that if we took care of that $83 bill, then they could make that. So, we took care of it and it wasn't taken care of. The lien was totally off and it took some time to clear it out because they just couldn't take the paperwork we sent them as gospel. They had to wait until it went through the clearing legally which took about another month for that to happen.

The company had used my credit cards for $17,000 so, the company paid it to zero. It cleared everything up but that took about another four weeks to begin the process again because they didn’t believe that we were going to qualify. There was very little communication in that process because when we paid for that bill and released 17,000 some odd dollars from our debt to credit, that made it fly. We waited and communicated a number of times to get back with us and the rep wouldn't communicate with us.

Other things were getting approved and so, we were pushed back to the end of the pile. The way that we got to the front of the pile was we called one of the executives of AmeriSave and let him know the whole story. 30 minutes later, we were put in the back of the heap. They had to get a re-clearance of the house being approved and about two to three days later, they had to get the guy who had assessed it to send another note again that it was still the same. And he did. After that happened, we were just about three days from closing. So, in terms of getting the job done, it was great. Looking at a couple of the glitches that were on our end that we took care of and to clear the hurdles of those glitches took a while. But then once those hurdles were taken care of, it seemed like we were waiting in the back of the pack. We thought we were right there.

It was about a three-month ordeal but once we got what we needed to do, it went well and we were fine with how that worked. We understand there were some things that we needed to clear up on our credit. They didn't take just a word for it. I went to Chase and we paid them off. Chase immediately, on my request, sent a payoff letter, which I had addressed to Anh, the financing person of AmeriSave. I had it sent to me and I forwarded it to him with his name on it to show that it was legit. It still needed to clear credit on the side of Chase in order for them to move ahead, but it was all okay. We got everything done.

Our only biggest frustration right now is they set January 1st as a date for our payment and then gave us six days of leeway make it. I called yesterday and asked if we could find a way to make this payment on the 17th of every month because that works with our payroll. It works with everything. We're scrambling to figure out what we have to do to now change how we pay the mortgage. It would just be so much sweeter, to be able to have it due on the 17th but the person I talked to said we couldn't do that. And when I hear things like that, what I'm hearing is I'm not talking to the right person. We might have to pay a fee to change that or we might have to do something, but nothing is “I can't.” But what I failed to do is I should have said, “No, no, no. When’s our payment due?”

During closing, I asked the lady who came to sign the papers if we could have that changed since it was due on the 1st. She said that we could. Once we get this whole thing there, I could give them a call and they would change it. That wasn't the truth of it. Now we're stuck with this thing of being on the first to the sixth, which makes it difficult. Whereas with the former company, we were due on the 17th. So, I wish that that could be dealt with. Some of the issues were ours and if everything was right, we would have sailed through quickly. But we had some hurdles to overcome, which I don't put towards AmeriSave. It’s been alright and we had to accept some of our responsibility. It’s right back to the date of change, which would be helpful. But other than that, it's good.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

My wife and I decided to get a newer car because it's a buyers’ market to get a car these days with the promotions because of COVID. And while we got the car, we were on social media, and saw that mortgage rates were low. So, I went ahead and just out of curiosity got onto LendingTree. And when LendingTree sent me back their top five choices, it was AmeriSave, Cardinal and some other companies. I decided to start with AmeriSave.

In the very beginning, the sales rep was great. He was there a lot. I had a lot of questions. And for the most part, Robert was great. In the middle of our deal, he up and disappeared because he got promoted to a trainer position with AmeriSave. And then after that, things started going downhill. I let him know that I was shopping between other companies because initially he gave me a quote, and I let him know that one of his competitors gave me a better one. I sensed that he got upset that I was shopping around. Then he lowered what he initially gave me to meet their quote. But after he had to lower the rate again for me, he just wasn't very happy about that. He was a nice guy, but he wasn't consistent and he didn't follow through.

The rates and term that I received were good. He told me that I would get $1,200 back when I closed. That was one of the main reasons that I decided to go with AmeriSave, as opposed to the other companies. At the very end, it turned out that he made a mistake, that in Texas, you're not allowed to get any cash back. I told those other companies I would not deal with them anymore. The deal that they offered me got retracted. Some executive with AmeriSave then got involved. They wound up lowering my interest rate a bit more. And they said that they just went ahead and rolled the money that they would give me back toward my principal. But it was not the deal that we initially discussed. They acknowledged that. And some executive with AmeriSave, for all the miscommunications and issues, refunded my $500 application fee, and then I closed. Then that was it. The nightmare was over.

What they initially told me was the process would be 45 days. They told me, "It depends on you. If you cooperate and you give us everything we need in a timely fashion and we get the appraisal done." Surely, within a few days of me talking to that guy, an appraiser came out and we appraised the house. And then any time they needed something from me within the hour, whatever they asked of me, I got it to them immediately.

But then what happened was it went sideways when it got to the processors, because initially, one processor handled my account. She then just up and quit AmeriSave and left. And then, my thing was in limbo. I wanted to know what was happening. I said, "Hey, we're supposed to close at the end of the month, at the end of August." Another processor got involved. She said, "Look, I'm gonna do my very best to try to comply with what the other processor told you." But she said, "I just got assigned your case." She handled my case for all of the week. And then when we didn't close, she up and disappeared.

And then finally, this lady named Melissa took over my case. She was the greatest person in the company because she was super nice, but she was very transparent. She said, "I'm not gonna tell you anything that is not absolutely true and factual. Number one, you need to understand, you're not the only one trying to do what you're doing. Everybody right now is trying to do this. And the biggest problem, back in the day, you would come to the AmeriSave building here where we work, and there would be floors and floors of people working. Now, you come to our building and it's almost empty because of COVID. People are working from home. And a lot of people are sick. It's just a disaster. We've lost half of our people. And the people that we process have tripled. You do the math. You sound like an educated guy. You can draw your conclusions." I said, "Yeah. It's not pretty."

I told the vice president that in the future, anybody they're gonna help do a refinance these days, they need to tell them that they have to be ultra patient. Because it is what it is. These are the times that we are living in right now. But in the end, the result is they got me what they told me, and what they couldn't get me, they got me something else to compensate for that. There were just a bunch of little glitches along the way.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

The application process with AmeriSave was all online and it was easy. It took eight weeks. The reps were excellent and the rate and terms were fair.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Hi Andrew, thank you so much for this great feedback! We love to hear about the outstanding experiences our customers have at AmeriSave, and we are happy that Jordan took such great care of you. We look forward to helping you again in the future and appreciate your business and the review!

Bryan Owen

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I have worked with Eli on two occasions. Initially when switching lenders and secondly when refinancing to capture the benefit from the low mortgage rates. He has been a pleasure with which to work. He is professional, personable, knowledgeable, thoughtful and responsible. Working with Eli has been a pleasure. Susan J **

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Good morning Susan! Thank you so much for this great feedback! We love to hear about the outstanding experiences our customers have at AmeriSave, especially our returning customers. We are fortunate that we have Eli with us and we are happy that he took such great care of you. We look forward to helping you again in the future and appreciate your business and the review!

Bryan Owen

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

I just wanted to say how happy my wife and I are choosing AmeriSave. Darla ** has been outstanding to deal with right from the get go and to the closing. I highly recommend Darla as she was very informative, easy to contact and just a pleasure to do business with. Thanks Again, Dave

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

It normally takes two months to do a refi but it took seven months with AmeriSave. The process did not go smooth. Every two weeks, they would request more information, which was fine. I've refinanced about 15 times already and I understand the game. I would send the information back within the day and never more than 24 hours. I keep everything very organized. Then it would sit on somebody's desk for two weeks. Then they would say the stuff is not updated. I would tell them, “Well, I sent it to you the day you requested it.” Then two weeks go by, they need more updated information. It was ridiculous. It happened about seven times in exactly this perfect pattern.

When the lady came, it was supposed to be a 2.5% 30-year fixed loan. This was back in February when things were low. But AmeriSave tried to make it about 3.5 points. They said I never locked in. But I told them that I locked in. I had to prove to them that I locked in. I was getting frustrated in April and I asked them if they really wanted to do this loan. Because interest rates went up a little bit. Then they stepped back and said that I was locked in and that I've got the loan. But it was very frustrating. I'm used to doing that kind of work. It's not a problem for me to send tax return and bank statements. I can scan and shoot out in seconds. They always have the information. I will never use AmeriSave again.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

We appreciated your patience, and we appreciate your feedback on your mortgage loan. Your mortgage experience is very important to our company, and we value the information you provided so that we can share with our Operations Team.

If you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact our Satisfaction Team at our toll-free number 888-700-4026, or by email at customersatisfaction@amerisave.com.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I wish there weren't many different people calling me for every part of the loan. We're all scared of scams. I am very untrustworthy, so it would be better if there's a heads up telling me that these people will be contacting me to verify things. Then when we had the closing, AmeriSave mailed one of the check’s pay off to me instead of who it was supposed to go to. I spent $22 to overnight it, out of pocket, to get it to where it needed to be before they were gonna start charging me late fees. Other than that, my lending officer guy seemed to be good and the young lady that came to do all the notary was very pleasant. The rate I got was good too and that was another motivator.

AmeriSave Mortgage response

Good morning Lyn and thank you so much for this feedback! We are always looking to improve our communication and process and feedback like yours truly helps us in doing so. We love to hear about the experiences our customers have at AmeriSave, and we are happy that Eddie and Wanda were able to take care of you. We will take a look at your loan process and use it to address areas of improvement. We look forward to helping you again in the future and appreciate your business and the review!

AmeriSave Mortgage Company Information