Find a Movers partner

4.0/5 (768 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company with more than 430 local agents throughout the U.S. and Canada. Its Atlas Academy provides standardized training and education for Atlas Van Lines movers. The company partners with AAA to provide member discounts. Customers choose the packing option that’s best for them.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Available nationwide
    • Mobile app
    • Perks for AAA members

Cons

• Difficult quote process

Bottom Line

Atlas Van Lines has local agents across the U.S. who arrange local, long-distance and international moves. Getting a quote could be easier, but some great discounts can make up for it.

Top Atlas Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had the choice of 3 major moving companies... I read reviews before choosing who I went with... but Atlas ended up working the best with my crazy schedule and short timeline in ...

Verified

Called Atlas on short notice... The movers were outstanding and spent a weekend packing and loading our goods then trucking them to our VA rental and unloading them into our renta...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company that uses a network of local agents across the United States to perform local, long-distance and international moves. Local agents must graduate from the Atlas Academy, a program that teaches movers how to perform in-home estimates, respond to claims and provide great customer service. Every mover with Atlas Van Lines must also pass a background check. Movers start packing your belongings the day before a move.

Atlas Van Lines cost

A long-distance move with Atlas costs between $3,000 and $6,000, on average. Atlas Van Lines’ quotes are often higher than its competitors' because it automatically adds full-value protection, but there is an option to downgrade to basic coverage.

Atlas’ financial perks for AAA members are fantastic — members save an average of $600. Members also receive complimentary full-value protection instead of basic coverage. Full-valuation coverage for an item is $6 per pound, while basic coverage is just 60 cents per pound.

Estimated Atlas Van Lines costs

Move typeEstimated cost
    Local move (three bedrooms)$2000 - $3,000
    Long-distance move$3,000 - $6,000
    Cross-country move$7,000-plus

Atlas Van Lines moving services

Atlas Van Lines carries out all types of moves and offers a variety of moving services for customers.

Types of moves
    Atlas Van Lines performs the following types of moves:
    • Local moves: Atlas’ website shows customers where local agents are available to help with short, local moves.
    • Long-distance moves: Atlas has experience moving people across state and province lines in the U.S. and Canada.
    • International moves: Atlas’ most popular international moves are to Canada and Mexico, but the company operates across the world.
    • Military moves: Atlas moves about 13,000 military families every year, both within the United States and overseas.
    • Corporate moves: Atlas has expedited options for corporate moves. Many of these moves take just a few days.
    Free services
    Atlas Van Lines has several services that come free with every move, including:
    • In-home moving estimate: Atlas Van Lines requires an in-home inspection to provide an accurate price estimate.
    • Loading and unloading: Atlas’ trained movers load and unload all boxes into and off the van.
    • Online shipment tracking: Once the shipment has left, customers can track it online or via Atlas’ mobile app, AtlasNet.
    Premium services
    Atlas Van Lines provides the following optional premium services:
    • Special item moves: Atlas movers have experience moving bulky and fragile items, such as pianos and antiques, and can create custom wooden crates. Atlas movers wear gloves when handling special items.
    • Auto transport: Atlas moves cars, motorcycles and boats.
    • Full-value protection: Many customers opt for full-value protection, which offers 10 times more coverage for household items than basic protection.
    • Storage in transit: Atlas stores belongings in secure warehouses for those who need a temporary in-between holding spot. The total cost is determined by the weight of items and length of stay.
    • Professional packing: Choose from full or partial packing. Partial packing means customers pack what they feel comfortable with and Atlas movers do the rest.

Atlas Van Lines FAQ

Is Atlas Van Lines a broker?
    No. Local Atlas agents operate their own business but work under the Atlas umbrella. The Atlas Academy, which trains movers, helps standardize the moving experience.
    What will Atlas Van Lines not move?
    Atlas Van Lines doesn’t move household cleaning chemicals, live animals, guns or fireworks. Ask a local Atlas agent about any items you’re unsure of.
    Does Atlas Van Lines have an app?
    Yes, Atlas Van Lines has an app called AtlasNet. Customers can track their move and manage paperwork through the app.
    Does Atlas Van Lines have auto transport services?
    Yes. Atlas Van Lines moves cars, boats and motorcycles.

Is Atlas Van Lines worth it?

Atlas Van Lines might be worth it to people looking for a full-service move with add-ons like full packing, auto transport and temporary storage. AAA members benefit even more, saving up to $600 on their moves and receiving free full-value protection. Customer experience seems to vary by location, however, and several reviews mention damaged items.

Atlas Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

This company moved me across country. The driver didn’t handle a crate, especially marked for proper handling, correctly. So, my sculpture arrived broken. The company is non responsive to this damaged piece. Also one package of art pieces is missing. I will admit I was remiss is checking off each package unloaded. But as I finished unpacking over the weekend I realize this package was missing. Nonresponsive. The driver was definitely in a hurry to leave the area and simply said sign here. Unfortunately, this items not only have a monetary value but these pieces are gifts from my deceased husband. I do NOT recommend this company for honesty and integrity!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

My husband had no choice but to use Atlas due to the arrangements made for him through the company that he was hired by. They came and packed our things on the day expected and on time so that is probably where the one star applies. Our items arrived at our new home almost 3 weeks later. During the process, we received no updates apart from what we made efforts to receive for ourselves by reaching out to the agent assigned to us. She rarely answered the phone and seemed to only respond through email or after we had to call someone else and complain that we hadn't heard from her regarding our things. When our things finally arrived, one of the workers said that he had tried calling us the day before but we had no messages or anything indicating that that was true. They were friendly in delivering our things and placing them where we wanted.

However as expected after reading through reviews while we were waiting for our things, some of our things did arrive damaged and no longer usable and we did have things missing. The workers that arrived were on their way to Georgia after unpacking our things so they did not go through the itemized list with us as indicated would be the case when we first signed the paperwork. We discovered missing items after unpacking ourselves. Overall, we are glad that our things did arrive and that most of it was in the condition that we left it in but the service and customer experience was terribly poor.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

We moved across the country last month and entrusted our household goods to Atlas Van Lines. The unloading contractors were great. The packers and loaders, on the other hand, not so much. Many items arrived broken and damaged due to complete negligence during the packing process. One box in particular had our office printer on the bottom with bathroom chemicals piled on top, loose light bulbs, and our candlestick lamps thrown on top with no protection. The guys who unloaded just kept remarking about what a subpar job the packers did.

The worst part is that they stole my gun from my safe. They left the original box the gun came in so I did not notice it until a couple weeks later. Apparently Sentry Safes are made to be fireproof and not necessarily burglar proof. Hindsight being 20/20 I now know the lock can be picked in minutes. I reported the theft to the police immediately. However, Atlas refuses to acknowledge or compensate me for this theft because it was not inventoried separately. Although, a lot of things were not inventoried individually like my jewelry in a jewelry box, for example. Terrible experience. We have moved many times without incident. Do not use Atlas Van Lines.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

The crew and drivers who handled the packing, loading, and unloading were great. While friendly, the contact at Atlas was incompetent. Throughout the process she provided inaccurate, incomplete, or incorrect information -- this included a low weight estimate (resulting in a higher than expected cost), surprise need for crating on day of move (resulting in a higher than expected cost), incorrect updates on delivery day, short noticed cancellation for delivery, etc. When I tried to discuss this with Atlas management, the contact was unable to hear my concerns and was rude (cursed at me), dismissive, and uninterested in truly resolving the situation. This was my third time using Atlas, and unfortunately, it will be my last--the first two jobs were great, but clearly they've experienced a decline in quality of service. I would strongly recommend finding a moving company other than Atlas.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

We moved from Columbus to Boise and selected Atlas based on a delivery date of July 12-19. It was a long wait, but we understood with the pandemic. We weren’t warned it could be later. It’s August 20 and we still have no driver to bring our items or a date when we will from Atlas. The interactions are kind, but it’s been a hardship for sure.

Original review: July 28, 2021

Atlas was hired to move us from Seattle to Bend, OR with 3-weeks lead time and we were assured a specific move date. Atlas did not respond to any questions after our initial deposit payment (e.g.: what time will the crew show up?, will they have wardrobe or TV boxes ?, is this a one-day or two-day move?, etc.) and changed our specific move date to a 3-day window. Atlas then TWICE changed their own 3-day window, including the morning of our move! We fired Atlas on the spot that morning as we needed to move that day and had twice inconvenienced the new owners with our fluctuating schedule. Luckily, we found a local mover that treated us fairly and did the job that day. To their credit, Atlas was very prompt in returning our deposit.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I used Atlas Van Lines in April 2021 for a small move from NYC to Denver. The Atlas estimator came to my apartment and saw every item that I was taking on my move. At the time, I asked him for a binding agreement to which he replied that Atlas can do a binding contract. The weight estimate was effectively 1000 pounds. My moved was subbed out to one of Atlas's smaller regional moving groups and they never relayed that I wanted a binding agreement. When I received my items in Denver, the weight was 1600 pounds more than their estimate. I opened an overage claim stating that their estimate was grossly under reality and that I had asked for a binding agreement but never got one from their regional moving company. Their response was essentially that there was nothing they could do and I was billed about 60% more than their original quote.

Original review: July 23, 2021

We signed what we thought was a binding contract with Atlas to move our goods from California to Colorado, to be delivered between June 17 and 25. One month later, our household goods are still being stored somewhere (we were told Reno) with no delivery date in sight. I had checked the BBB and the complaints database at FMCSA and they had a fewer complaints than others. However, you can see from these reviews and comments on their Facebook page, they do not fulfill their contract. They will buy you inflatable mattresses and folding plastic furniture but try living with that for a month or longer. You don’t get to talk to Atlas at all about your issues, only the local rep who has no ability to help you. Do not use Atlas.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Terrible. Damaged, broken furniture. Terrible packing with damages. No follow up on damages by company or salesperson Eric. Run away as fast as you can. Treated belongings with no respect, no follow up on listed issues, lack of follow through by salesperson. Terrible! Waste of money and time.

Original review: July 7, 2021

Buyer Beware! This company will damage every one of your belongings. When you call to tell them about it they will refuse to pay to replace or fix it. You will have to deal with their very rude employees. Their employee that will come to your home to quote your move will lie about his company and when you will receive your furniture.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Atlas Van Lines Company Information