3.4/5 (118 ratings)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company with more than 430 local agents throughout the U.S. and Canada. Its Atlas Academy provides standardized training and education for Atlas Van Lines movers. The company partners with AAA to provide member discounts. Customers choose the packing option that’s best for them.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Available nationwide
    • Mobile app
    • Perks for AAA members

Cons

• Difficult quote process

Bottom Line

Atlas Van Lines has local agents across the U.S. who arrange local, long-distance and international moves. Getting a quote could be easier, but some great discounts can make up for it.

Top Atlas Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had the choice of 3 major moving companies... I read reviews before choosing who I went with... but Atlas ended up working the best with my crazy schedule and short timeline in ...

Verified

Called Atlas on short notice... The movers were outstanding and spent a weekend packing and loading our goods then trucking them to our VA rental and unloading them into our renta...

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company that uses a network of local agents across the United States to perform local, long-distance and international moves. Local agents must graduate from the Atlas Academy, a program that teaches movers how to perform in-home estimates, respond to claims and provide great customer service. Every mover with Atlas Van Lines must also pass a background check. Movers start packing your belongings the day before a move.

Atlas Van Lines cost

A long-distance move with Atlas costs between $3,000 and $6,000, on average. Atlas Van Lines’ quotes are often higher than its competitors' because it automatically adds full-value protection, but there is an option to downgrade to basic coverage.

Atlas’ financial perks for AAA members are fantastic — members save an average of $600. Members also receive complimentary full-value protection instead of basic coverage. Full-valuation coverage for an item is $6 per pound, while basic coverage is just 60 cents per pound.

Estimated Atlas Van Lines costs

Move typeEstimated cost
    Local move (three bedrooms)$2000 - $3,000
    Long-distance move$3,000 - $6,000
    Cross-country move$7,000-plus

Atlas Van Lines moving services

Atlas Van Lines carries out all types of moves and offers a variety of moving services for customers.

Types of moves
    Atlas Van Lines performs the following types of moves:
    • Local moves: Atlas’ website shows customers where local agents are available to help with short, local moves.
    • Long-distance moves: Atlas has experience moving people across state and province lines in the U.S. and Canada.
    • International moves: Atlas’ most popular international moves are to Canada and Mexico, but the company operates across the world.
    • Military moves: Atlas moves about 13,000 military families every year, both within the United States and overseas.
    • Corporate moves: Atlas has expedited options for corporate moves. Many of these moves take just a few days.
    Free services
    Atlas Van Lines has several services that come free with every move, including:
    • In-home moving estimate: Atlas Van Lines requires an in-home inspection to provide an accurate price estimate.
    • Loading and unloading: Atlas’ trained movers load and unload all boxes into and off the van.
    • Online shipment tracking: Once the shipment has left, customers can track it online or via Atlas’ mobile app, AtlasNet.
    Premium services
    Atlas Van Lines provides the following optional premium services:
    • Special item moves: Atlas movers have experience moving bulky and fragile items, such as pianos and antiques, and can create custom wooden crates. Atlas movers wear gloves when handling special items.
    • Auto transport: Atlas moves cars, motorcycles and boats.
    • Full-value protection: Many customers opt for full-value protection, which offers 10 times more coverage for household items than basic protection.
    • Storage in transit: Atlas stores belongings in secure warehouses for those who need a temporary in-between holding spot. The total cost is determined by the weight of items and length of stay.
    • Professional packing: Choose from full or partial packing. Partial packing means customers pack what they feel comfortable with and Atlas movers do the rest.

Atlas Van Lines FAQ

Is Atlas Van Lines a broker?
    No. Local Atlas agents operate their own business but work under the Atlas umbrella. The Atlas Academy, which trains movers, helps standardize the moving experience.
    What will Atlas Van Lines not move?
    Atlas Van Lines doesn’t move household cleaning chemicals, live animals, guns or fireworks. Ask a local Atlas agent about any items you’re unsure of.
    Does Atlas Van Lines have an app?
    Yes, Atlas Van Lines has an app called AtlasNet. Customers can track their move and manage paperwork through the app.
    Does Atlas Van Lines have auto transport services?
    Yes. Atlas Van Lines moves cars, boats and motorcycles.

Is Atlas Van Lines worth it?

Atlas Van Lines might be worth it to people looking for a full-service move with add-ons like full packing, auto transport and temporary storage. AAA members benefit even more, saving up to $600 on their moves and receiving free full-value protection. Customer experience seems to vary by location, however, and several reviews mention damaged items.

Atlas Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

We filed a claim for just one item that they destroyed (a $151 stainless large trash can), a very insignificant amount compared to the $8400 we paid for the move. When our household goods were delivered, even the unloaders and the truck driver were in disbelief how that items could have been left without wrapping and just thrown in with the furniture. The item arrived dented and destroyed and even they advised me to claim it. Well, Atlas said they would only pay $12 for clearly something they destroyed without question. The claims person told me that unless we purchased insurance they would not cover it. What kind of moving company does that? I will never use them again nor will I ever recommend them to anyone and I hope those reading this will think twice before enlisting their services. They will not own up to their mistakes, they simply do not care. We used United Van Lines two years ago and they were wonderful, Atlas is a disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2022

Poor after service with lost and damaged property. Lost property was never compensated for. We went with ATLAS, who were expensive due to negative experience previously. Property worth around $10k never arrived at destination.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I bought FULL value moving insurance. I paid $12,000 for the move. I paid $250 for a special TV crate. The movers barely had room in their truck. My items were stuffed into every corner of their truck including being disassembled to be put in the underbelly. I unpacked my TV and found the screen completely cracked on the inside. They denied my claim on the basis of "They did not unpack and hang the tv. The outer box was not visibly damaged. The exterior of the TV was not physically damaged." So I am out a $2200 TV despite having done everything they told me to do correctly.

Also on the final walk through, they had a guy lean up against a wall to cover where it had been scratched in the move. So I signed off that my place had no physical damage. Later I found lamps cross threaded, bed backboard was missing all bolts and was just leaned up in place on the posts. It fell on me when I made the bed. Thieves and liars. They are rip off artists!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

It took an extra day for the team members to pack my house. When they arrived at the destination, everything was total chaos. A team was at my new house for six hours and told me they were being paid by the hour and not the job, and told to expedite the offloading. Within a day, I started the daunting task of unpacking. The first thing I would suggest to anybody using a moving company is to insist that the inventory sheets are marked off as the boxes and furniture are moved INTO your new home or residence regardless of how much time it takes. I have unpacked every single box and can attest that there are so many things missing, I am heartsick.

Yes, I contacted the family that purchased my home, the people who cleaned it and my son who was at the house when the movers left, and they too found nothing other than items I intentionally left in the house. I found large and heavy boxes, with boxes inside that were packed with paper, and nothing else. I found kitchen pictures and knick-knacks mixed in with garage stuff, not wrapped and laid inside plant pots. In my new home, a hallway corner and wall were damaged. The underside fabric of my sofa was cut out exposing the springs. The hinges on a fire-door from the house to the garage were reinstalled improperly and the door does not close properly.

The mirror on a large bedroom dresser was installed and tipping forward, and I subsequently discovered that the wrong screws were used to attach it. I hired a local mover to rearrange the bedroom furniture and reattach the dresser mirror properly. I received several very large boxes of goods and a cabinet that were not supposed to be moved, but left at the house I was leaving. The cabinet was broken too. I filed a claim electronically on 06/29/2022. Their insurance adjustor in the state I left offered a partial settlement in July, and acknowledged that the remaining claim was under review in the Atlas home office. He also indicated that there was a backlog due to the number of pending claims. The Atlas PORTAL states the remaining claim is under review and to contact the person in the state that I left. He cannot get an update, nor can I.

Nearly two months later I am stuck in the middle with no way to get a resolution. How do they get away with this? A simple message that the claim in under review with an estimated completion date would be appreciated, but no one is available by phone. Atlas is mistaken if it thinks I will give up. I paid Atlas more than $15,000 !!! in good faith to move me and depended on them to do their job. I think Atlas should be made to pay me and other consumers interest on monies owed, past a 60 day window of claim initiation.

Original review: July 18, 2022

Contracted for pickup in Great Falls and delivery in Woodland Park, CO by July 7, 2022. Picked up on time but have failed to deliver our belongings. Keep saying they can't find a driver. They had weeks to find a driver after giving the estimate for the move. Gave another date of delivery between July 8-18. July 18 they have stated they have moved our belongings from the warehouse to a trailer but still don't have a driver. What difference does it make if it's in a trailer if you still can't/won't deliver? Only after failing to deliver on the first contracted date did they say they don't move interstate and it is corporate's responsibility to find a driver! Have contacted Atlas Van Lines repeatedly and given the same run around. They have reneged on their contract twice. DO NOT TRUST THEM!

Original review: June 8, 2022

We moved from Florida to Pacific North West and used Atlas Van Lines as our moving company. We had bought Full Value Protection. To Atlas' credit, they came on time and arrived on time. But, 80% of my rosewood furniture that was disassembled, packed, loaded, moved, unloaded, unpacked were damaged, some of them are bad beyond repair and few hardware and parts were lost including the ones for our bed. We are dismayed that, Atlas rep had agreed to take special care like antique while packing and handling. The unpackers blamed it on the packers, but I think that is a normal practice to blame. Irrespective of who is to be blamed, the customer is the sore losers. I filed a claims. The replacement value of all the items are in excess of $51,000. Atlas sent a guy for evaluation and the same person is supposed to repair the furniture. We asked for at least five items that are broken to be replaced. But, Atlas is hell bent on repairing.

When I asked about warranty, neither Atlas nor the repairing vendor will provide warranty. Atlas' response is "it is not a good". It seems Atlas doesn't understand the concept of service warranty. The settlement cost Atlas is willing to pay is less than 15% of the replacement value. I will not use nor will ever use this company. The best part is the CEO of the company is afraid of receiving emails and my email to him was rejected. This should give an indication of the company's attitude towards "customer service".

Original review: June 2, 2022

There are better options out there. This company is untrustworthy. There are a number of reviewers that say the same thing, and my experience was no different. At every step of the way, they brazenly said things that were simply not true.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Atlas Van Lines made a mess out of my move to Belgium. They didn't know the laws, they didn't inform me properly. They were extremely late in delivering my goods which were picked up on Aug 6 and delivered Jan 27! They gave me the wrong tracking # of the vessel which gave the wrong arrival to port dates, dates based on which I flew several times to Belgium to receive the shipment for nothing! I had to rent an apartment, buy warmer clothes.

Atlas' claim department ignored me 100%. Atlas didn't know where my container was, but didn't communicate with me. They shipped to Holland instead of Antwerp, Belgium, and the Belgian authorities and the Dutch relocation company made a mess out of my move too. All because Atlas didn't know the requirements and didn't communicate with me prior to the move. In the end I ended up having to pay an extra 3000 euros ransom, as my furniture was being held hostage. Pay 3000 and have it delivered or keep it in port and I would have to pay storage. Atlas has been silent throughout the entire process. Awful service!

Original review: March 26, 2022

This was by far the worst move I have had. I have moved 6 times around the globe and Atlas is the least responsible and least responsive moving company I have ever dealt with. I will never consider them again. This was a corporate sponsored move so I had no choice of company. From the beginning, they did not respond to calls or emails and lacked any attention to detail. What was a 25 day move window became 4 months after part of our shipment was lost. My son's crib did not arrive in the initial shipment and I had to plead for a replacement which was never compensated. They broke over 40 items and only covered a third.

Excuses every day and at least a week to respond to any communication. They broke our Peloton bike and sent a furniture repair guy to inspect it who said it was fine. Expert in bikes I would say. At the end of the day, it was the customer service that put the nail in the coffin. They defected and made excuses and pointed fingers and never once acted like a company who moves people for a living.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

Updated on 03/11/2022: Atlas Van Lines provided one of the worst experiences I have had, ever. A cross-country move for a 4 bedroom home cost $16300, took 25 days, and results in multiple broken items. The company's communication is near non-existent, until they are attempting to collect payment. Your move is NOT INSURED for broken items, unless you want to pay additional (over the $16k). Without paying additional large fees, you will receive $0.60 per pound of items broken, a ridiculous figure. If they break a $500 vase that weighs 3 pounds, you will receive $1.80. This is absolute insanity. They will intentionally quote you less than the final cost. Ours was underquoted by over $4000. Note, the reviews on their website are hand-selected, as they do not have an open review policy. Truly one of the worst companies I have ever encountered.

Original Review: Really one of the worst experiences with any business I have ever had. We did a cross country move for a 3 bedroom house with a Bouch moving, who contract with Atlas. Here are the numbers:

- 3 bedroom house (no couches, no dining room table, no dining room chairs, 1 bed, 1 baby grand piano (about 500 lbs), 1 washer/1 dryer, no other appliances, lots of other stuff)
      - Cost: $16,300
      - Days to deliver: 25 (didn't even get picked up for 14 days)

- Calls from Atlas to update us: 0

Absolutely horrendous experience. The only calls we received for updates were from the driver's wife, the first about 22 days after our stuff was picked up. I highly recommend using another service for a cross country move.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Atlas Van Lines Company Information

1212 St. George Road
        Evansville
        IN
        atlasvanlines.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: