2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.01/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company with more than 430 local agents throughout the U.S. and Canada. Its Atlas Academy provides standardized training and education for Atlas Van Lines movers. The company partners with AAA to provide member discounts. Customers choose the packing option that’s best for them.

BOTTOM LINE

Atlas Van Lines has local agents across the U.S. who arrange local, long-distance and international moves. Getting a quote could be easier, but some great discounts can make up for it.

PROS

• Available nationwide
    • Mobile app
    • Perks for AAA members

CONS

• Difficult quote process

Top Atlas Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

I had the choice of 3 major moving companies... I read reviews before choosing who I went with... but Atlas ended up working the best with my crazy schedule and short timeline in order to get my items and car moved within 3-4 weeks... I feel like I lucked out with movers for my first time.

Called Atlas on short notice... The movers were outstanding and spent a weekend packing and loading our goods then trucking them to our VA rental and unloading them into our rental. Best possible customer service and the price was reasonable for what was done... Highly recommended.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company that uses a network of local agents across the United States to perform local, long-distance and international moves. Local agents must graduate from the Atlas Academy, a program that teaches movers how to perform in-home estimates, respond to claims and provide great customer service. Every mover with Atlas Van Lines must also pass a background check. Movers start packing your belongings the day before a move.

Atlas Van Lines cost

A long-distance move with Atlas costs between $3,000 and $6,000, on average. Atlas Van Lines’ quotes are often higher than its competitors' because it automatically adds full-value protection, but there is an option to downgrade to basic coverage.

Atlas’ financial perks for AAA members are fantastic — members save an average of $600. Members also receive complimentary full-value protection instead of basic coverage. Full-valuation coverage for an item is $6 per pound, while basic coverage is just 60 cents per pound.

Estimated Atlas Van Lines costs

Move typeEstimated cost
      Local move (three bedrooms)$2000 - $3,000
      Long-distance move$3,000 - $6,000
      Cross-country move$7,000-plus

Atlas Van Lines moving services

Atlas Van Lines carries out all types of moves and offers a variety of moving services for customers.

Types of moves
      Atlas Van Lines performs the following types of moves:
      • Local moves: Atlas’ website shows customers where local agents are available to help with short, local moves.
      • Long-distance moves: Atlas has experience moving people across state and province lines in the U.S. and Canada.
      • International moves: Atlas’ most popular international moves are to Canada and Mexico, but the company operates across the world.
      • Military moves: Atlas moves about 13,000 military families every year, both within the United States and overseas.
      • Corporate moves: Atlas has expedited options for corporate moves. Many of these moves take just a few days.
      Free services
      Atlas Van Lines has several services that come free with every move, including:
      • In-home moving estimate: Atlas Van Lines requires an in-home inspection to provide an accurate price estimate.
      • Loading and unloading: Atlas’ trained movers load and unload all boxes into and off the van.
      • Online shipment tracking: Once the shipment has left, customers can track it online or via Atlas’ mobile app, AtlasNet.
      Premium services
      Atlas Van Lines provides the following optional premium services:
      • Special item moves: Atlas movers have experience moving bulky and fragile items, such as pianos and antiques, and can create custom wooden crates. Atlas movers wear gloves when handling special items.
      • Auto transport: Atlas moves cars, motorcycles and boats.
      • Full-value protection: Many customers opt for full-value protection, which offers 10 times more coverage for household items than basic protection.
      • Storage in transit: Atlas stores belongings in secure warehouses for those who need a temporary in-between holding spot. The total cost is determined by the weight of items and length of stay.
      • Professional packing: Choose from full or partial packing. Partial packing means customers pack what they feel comfortable with and Atlas movers do the rest.

Atlas Van Lines FAQ

Is Atlas Van Lines a broker?
      No. Local Atlas agents operate their own business but work under the Atlas umbrella. The Atlas Academy, which trains movers, helps standardize the moving experience.
      What will Atlas Van Lines not move?
      Atlas Van Lines doesn’t move household cleaning chemicals, live animals, guns or fireworks. Ask a local Atlas agent about any items you’re unsure of.
      Does Atlas Van Lines have an app?
      Yes, Atlas Van Lines has an app called AtlasNet. Customers can track their move and manage paperwork through the app.
      Does Atlas Van Lines have auto transport services?
      Yes. Atlas Van Lines moves cars, boats and motorcycles.

Is Atlas Van Lines worth it?

Atlas Van Lines might be worth it to people looking for a full-service move with add-ons like full packing, auto transport and temporary storage. AAA members benefit even more, saving up to $600 on their moves and receiving free full-value protection. Customer experience seems to vary by location, however, and several reviews mention damaged items.

Atlas Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

A company I was working for decided to move to another location in Charlotte, NC. Atlas Van Lines was hired to handle the move. Our Company was a large distributor with many items to move. Most of our inventory was stored in small bins. They supplied the carts and we pulled each bin in such a way that it went on the shelf at the new location in order. With their shelving carts and logistics we were able to load and move 90% of a 10,000 sqft facility in 4 days. We shut down on a Thursday and were up and running the following Monday.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

The price was outrageous for this service, but was generally worth the work it'd take to move otherwise. Unfortunately, a few of my items were broken with no option for replacement or reimbursement. Would recommend, but be mindful they're not going to insure your items.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

My experience with Atlas was very positive because of their professionalism, courtesy, friendliness promptness and efficient attention and service to my every need. Every member of the Atlas staff was attentive and very responsive to every aspect of my cross-country move.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

This review only covers before our move and the actual day of moving. We scheduled a big cross country move from Napa CA to Portland ME with Bisson and Atlas. Bisson was the agent and Brian and Michelle were awesome! Brian worked on his days off to help us schedule the move and prepare everything. When minor issues occurred, Michelle was right on it and was professional, friendly, and helpful. The moving truck showed up on moving day and exactly on time. Mike, the driver, was very communicative, polite, respectful with our property and with his staff. Mike managed the inventory list and its accuracy. The moving team was delightful, had lots of personality, and fast in wrapping our furniture with great care. There was not one mark or scratch on the walls. Truly amazing in every way! I will be reviewing the storage and delivery soon.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

We moved locally. As an older couple, we didn't want to pack our own dishes, artwork, etc. so we had the moving company do it. Some of the time I watched as they packed fragile items. They used lots of paper. When they got to our new house the movers put the bed together and put the furniture just where I wanted it. I was very satisfied with the customer service. Our total charges were within $10 of the estimated charges.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

They were fast, efficient, courteous and trustworthy. I would use them again and have recommended them to others. They helped me move my father-in-law from one state to another and everything went seamlessly.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

Never received lamp shades to lamps teak patio bench, two folding tables, kitchen ware, destroyed family heirloom antique high chair, broke legs off end table. Howard Miller floor chime clock no longer works, After presented bill of laden by driver that was paid in full by cashier's check came back and charged again same charges over again of $213. 99. Very unprofessional all the workers. Requested Allied based on reviews. Atlas was sent instead by head of both companies. Terrible company. Totally disgusted with them. Especially what they did to the high chair. They were supposed to shrink wrap it. Driver came unprepared with any equipment if needed extra boxes etc.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Very professional, careful with property, just a bit expensive. I would shop for a cheaper company next time, but would use them again if needed. I also like that they travel coast to coast, that’s a plus.

Original review: June 26, 2020

To put it simply, the moving experience with Atlas has been terrible. I contacted Atlas in April 2020 as it was on a list of companies my job works with. I needed a mover to help relocated a 3 bed, 3 bath from central PA to Indiana. When I initially spoke with the sales rep, Jared, he told me that pick up would be June 20th and delivery could be as early as June 22nd (first day of our new lease and the desired day of move in). He provided a delivery window of June 22nd to July 1st and when I voiced my concerns he said that it is unlikely my stuff would take that long and would most likely deliver around the 22nd.

A few weeks later I receive an email from Jenny and introduces herself as the customer service representative taking over my move. When she connected in early May, she told me that pick up would be June 19th and delivery between June 22nd - July 1st. She calls me back to inform me that pick up could be between the 18th - 20th of June, but will call on the 17th to give me the confirmed date and time.

I called her on Monday June 15th, but did not get a response until June 16th because she was out of office on Monday. She informed me that the movers will be coming June 18th between 8 am - 10 am to pick up my stuff from central PA. However, the movers called me June 18th at 8:30 am to tell me they were just leaving New Jersey. They arrived at approximately 11:30 am and apologized for the delay. I had to take leave from my job earlier than expected to be available for pick up. The movers made a comment that my stuff won't be delivered till after June 26th.

Suddenly, I get a call from Jenny who called me to tell me that my stuff would not be delivered till between June 27th till July 1st. So I had to tell my new job that I might miss my first day of work which would be taken from my paid vacation time. Jenny told me she would call me on June 26th to give me the update. Today I received a call from Jenny that she will call me on Tuesday June 30th to update me. I told her that is unacceptable - I at least expected the movers to make delivery by June 27th. Of course they weren't, she told me the movers were still on the East Coast making deliveries.

If they knew their schedule months in advance, why did they put me in this situation in which they knew delivery would actually, most certainly be closer to July 1st and not June 22nd (which was inflated to make it seem like it might actually be delivered that early or even any day before July 1st). I am currently living on the floor on an air mattress with a toddler for two weeks. We have no furniture and sit on the floor to eat.

Jenny, pointed out that I signed the contract and thus agreed to the terms. I informed her that Jared assured me the delivery would be earlier. I told Jenny that my work schedule conflicts with delivery, she threatened that if I did not make myself available for pick up that they would put my stuff in storage. I asked to talk to someone in charge, Jenny told me it was out of her hands but I could talk to Jared. I called Jared without an answer and left a voice message asking to call me back.

Ultimately, I'm sure they deliver promptly for some of their customers (such as the deliveries they are currently making with the van that has my stuff on it in the East Coast while I sleep on the floor in an empty apartment without even a table to eat at with my toddler). But when it comes to a distance (Central PA to Central Indiana) they are atrocious and management is very rude.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I originally rated Atlas well. When packing in Las Vegas they seemed to be professional and thorough. When I took delivery in NC I was slow to unpack. Actually I'm still not completely finished. In summary almost all my furniture was damaged in some form and several items were missing. Because I didn't have the time to unpack quickly most of the items I will not be compensated for. I would warn against Atlas if asked.

Atlas Van Lines Company Information