2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.24/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company with more than 430 local agents throughout the U.S. and Canada. Its Atlas Academy provides standardized training and education for Atlas Van Lines movers. The company partners with AAA to provide member discounts. Customers choose the packing option that’s best for them.

BOTTOM LINE

Atlas Van Lines has local agents across the U.S. who arrange local, long-distance and international moves. Getting a quote could be easier, but some great discounts can make up for it.

PROS

• Available nationwide
    • Mobile app
    • Perks for AAA members

CONS

• Difficult quote process

Top Atlas Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

I had the choice of 3 major moving companies... I read reviews before choosing who I went with... but Atlas ended up working the best with my crazy schedule and short timeline in order to get my items and car moved within 3-4 weeks... I feel like I lucked out with movers for my first time.

Called Atlas on short notice... The movers were outstanding and spent a weekend packing and loading our goods then trucking them to our VA rental and unloading them into our rental. Best possible customer service and the price was reasonable for what was done... Highly recommended.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company that uses a network of local agents across the United States to perform local, long-distance and international moves. Local agents must graduate from the Atlas Academy, a program that teaches movers how to perform in-home estimates, respond to claims and provide great customer service. Every mover with Atlas Van Lines must also pass a background check. Movers start packing your belongings the day before a move.

Atlas Van Lines cost

A long-distance move with Atlas costs between $3,000 and $6,000, on average. Atlas Van Lines’ quotes are often higher than its competitors' because it automatically adds full-value protection, but there is an option to downgrade to basic coverage.

Atlas’ financial perks for AAA members are fantastic — members save an average of $600. Members also receive complimentary full-value protection instead of basic coverage. Full-valuation coverage for an item is $6 per pound, while basic coverage is just 60 cents per pound.

Estimated Atlas Van Lines costs

Move typeEstimated cost
      Local move (three bedrooms)$2000 - $3,000
      Long-distance move$3,000 - $6,000
      Cross-country move$7,000-plus

Atlas Van Lines moving services

Atlas Van Lines carries out all types of moves and offers a variety of moving services for customers.

Types of moves
      Atlas Van Lines performs the following types of moves:
      • Local moves: Atlas’ website shows customers where local agents are available to help with short, local moves.
      • Long-distance moves: Atlas has experience moving people across state and province lines in the U.S. and Canada.
      • International moves: Atlas’ most popular international moves are to Canada and Mexico, but the company operates across the world.
      • Military moves: Atlas moves about 13,000 military families every year, both within the United States and overseas.
      • Corporate moves: Atlas has expedited options for corporate moves. Many of these moves take just a few days.
      Free services
      Atlas Van Lines has several services that come free with every move, including:
      • In-home moving estimate: Atlas Van Lines requires an in-home inspection to provide an accurate price estimate.
      • Loading and unloading: Atlas’ trained movers load and unload all boxes into and off the van.
      • Online shipment tracking: Once the shipment has left, customers can track it online or via Atlas’ mobile app, AtlasNet.
      Premium services
      Atlas Van Lines provides the following optional premium services:
      • Special item moves: Atlas movers have experience moving bulky and fragile items, such as pianos and antiques, and can create custom wooden crates. Atlas movers wear gloves when handling special items.
      • Auto transport: Atlas moves cars, motorcycles and boats.
      • Full-value protection: Many customers opt for full-value protection, which offers 10 times more coverage for household items than basic protection.
      • Storage in transit: Atlas stores belongings in secure warehouses for those who need a temporary in-between holding spot. The total cost is determined by the weight of items and length of stay.
      • Professional packing: Choose from full or partial packing. Partial packing means customers pack what they feel comfortable with and Atlas movers do the rest.

Atlas Van Lines FAQ

Is Atlas Van Lines a broker?
      No. Local Atlas agents operate their own business but work under the Atlas umbrella. The Atlas Academy, which trains movers, helps standardize the moving experience.
      What will Atlas Van Lines not move?
      Atlas Van Lines doesn’t move household cleaning chemicals, live animals, guns or fireworks. Ask a local Atlas agent about any items you’re unsure of.
      Does Atlas Van Lines have an app?
      Yes, Atlas Van Lines has an app called AtlasNet. Customers can track their move and manage paperwork through the app.
      Does Atlas Van Lines have auto transport services?
      Yes. Atlas Van Lines moves cars, boats and motorcycles.

Is Atlas Van Lines worth it?

Atlas Van Lines might be worth it to people looking for a full-service move with add-ons like full packing, auto transport and temporary storage. AAA members benefit even more, saving up to $600 on their moves and receiving free full-value protection. Customer experience seems to vary by location, however, and several reviews mention damaged items.

Atlas Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Atlas was prompt when I was getting estimates, showed up on time and very thorough. Bekins never showed and other choices just didn’t show much of an interest. Atlas’s driver and helpers were very careful about how they packed the truck and delivered on time, from California to New Mexico. I recommend them highly.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Called Atlas on short notice and they dispatched a truck that was returning from NY to NJ to move the contents of our home of 27 years to VA. The movers were outstanding and spent a weekend packing and loading our goods then trucking them to our VA rental and unloading them into our rental. Best possible customer service and the price was reasonable for what was done. Used them again when we moved out of our rental to our new home 2 years later. Highly recommended.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

The best movers I have ever worked with! Good communication, fast efficient and friendly. Highly recommend!! They treated my valuables and antiques with the utmost respect. Hire them. You will not be sorry.

Original review: June 26, 2020

To put it simply, the moving experience with Atlas has been terrible. I contacted Atlas in April 2020 as it was on a list of companies my job works with. I needed a mover to help relocated a 3 bed, 3 bath from central PA to Indiana. When I initially spoke with the sales rep, Jared, he told me that pick up would be June 20th and delivery could be as early as June 22nd (first day of our new lease and the desired day of move in). He provided a delivery window of June 22nd to July 1st and when I voiced my concerns he said that it is unlikely my stuff would take that long and would most likely deliver around the 22nd.

A few weeks later I receive an email from Jenny and introduces herself as the customer service representative taking over my move. When she connected in early May, she told me that pick up would be June 19th and delivery between June 22nd - July 1st. She calls me back to inform me that pick up could be between the 18th - 20th of June, but will call on the 17th to give me the confirmed date and time.

I called her on Monday June 15th, but did not get a response until June 16th because she was out of office on Monday. She informed me that the movers will be coming June 18th between 8 am - 10 am to pick up my stuff from central PA. However, the movers called me June 18th at 8:30 am to tell me they were just leaving New Jersey. They arrived at approximately 11:30 am and apologized for the delay. I had to take leave from my job earlier than expected to be available for pick up. The movers made a comment that my stuff won't be delivered till after June 26th.

Suddenly, I get a call from Jenny who called me to tell me that my stuff would not be delivered till between June 27th till July 1st. So I had to tell my new job that I might miss my first day of work which would be taken from my paid vacation time. Jenny told me she would call me on June 26th to give me the update. Today I received a call from Jenny that she will call me on Tuesday June 30th to update me. I told her that is unacceptable - I at least expected the movers to make delivery by June 27th. Of course they weren't, she told me the movers were still on the East Coast making deliveries.

If they knew their schedule months in advance, why did they put me in this situation in which they knew delivery would actually, most certainly be closer to July 1st and not June 22nd (which was inflated to make it seem like it might actually be delivered that early or even any day before July 1st). I am currently living on the floor on an air mattress with a toddler for two weeks. We have no furniture and sit on the floor to eat.

Jenny, pointed out that I signed the contract and thus agreed to the terms. I informed her that Jared assured me the delivery would be earlier. I told Jenny that my work schedule conflicts with delivery, she threatened that if I did not make myself available for pick up that they would put my stuff in storage. I asked to talk to someone in charge, Jenny told me it was out of her hands but I could talk to Jared. I called Jared without an answer and left a voice message asking to call me back.

Ultimately, I'm sure they deliver promptly for some of their customers (such as the deliveries they are currently making with the van that has my stuff on it in the East Coast while I sleep on the floor in an empty apartment without even a table to eat at with my toddler). But when it comes to a distance (Central PA to Central Indiana) they are atrocious and management is very rude.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I originally rated Atlas well. When packing in Las Vegas they seemed to be professional and thorough. When I took delivery in NC I was slow to unpack. Actually I'm still not completely finished. In summary almost all my furniture was damaged in some form and several items were missing. Because I didn't have the time to unpack quickly most of the items I will not be compensated for. I would warn against Atlas if asked.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

BEWARE -ZERO STARS. This company will Steal your goods and damage your items. My husband's company has moved us 3X they used Al but this time being in Gillette Wy, the A1 company didn't travel that far. So we were stuck using this BAD company. Al only damaged a stove door and a stand. They paid right away for the damages they had caused.

The Atlas Moving company lost three boxes of dolls and damaged HTF office desk, lamps, Collectible doll furniture, computer and end tables. We started a claim in Nov 2019 and as of 1/16/2020. We contacted the Weichert workforce mobility company that hired this Atlas moving company. We worked with them a couple of weeks and they couldn't get the ball rolling. They were like, "Well, the AMV company stated you didn't fill out some high-value sheets." I never received this sheet. Almost everything in our home would be listed as High-end? I own 32 pairs of Miss Me Jeans and $300 a box wouldn't cover that. The flat Panels (Samsung Curved 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV) 9 Samsung PN51D490 51-Inch 720p 600Hz 3D Plasma HDTV) 9 Samsung Electronics QN75Q7F 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart QLED TV) And a new another Smart T.V. only 50in, I guess the Survey guy didn't care about our belongings to have the move to go smoothly.

This company should be SHUT DOWN. They should have customers sign a waiver to opt-out of instead of saying they emailed. Sure enough when my husband looked back into his old emails, there it was. We were in another stated looking for homes with a lazy company. Yes, you have it, the Weichert company was the company being used to relocate us. I have never heard of a company that sells a home, have seekers call in a day before to get an appointment to see a house and then a systems call you the next morning to make sure you still want to view homes. You must go out and look at the homes a day before and get a list of what you want to see. WTH, to me they were not hungry to sell a home. In OKC you just call a realtor and they are on you like your shadow.

My husband's company is now looking into this mess of them not paying the full value being it states full value in the contract for a cooperate move. Yes, they offered us a low ball of $1600 to replace what was damaged and $300 each for the missing boxes that had over $36000 of COLLECTIBLE INTEGRITY TOY FASHION ROYALTY DOLLS AND THE HIGH-END DOLL CLOTHING THAT YOU CAN'T BUY ANYMORE. They stated we failed to fill out a High Dollar foam. LOL, Really? What the heck was the survey of the guy walking through our home for?

This guy must have been new. He didn't order CRATES for Flat Panels. He didn't order some special bolts for a Samsung Washer and Dryer sets. Get this, the guys were loading our Flat Panels in boxes boxes for a mattress. I asked what they were doing and stated they must be crazy. The driver had to call in an order to locate a local person to come out and create the panels. Then the washers the same man had to return the next day to do the washers. But people say these are professional. I'm at a loss for words with this company.

The team arrived to box our items and the first day they left all our boxed items to the side so we could move about, yet they left trash on shelves, in the corners and out in the garage. So we left it over, thinking the next day they would gather all the trash. Next day, they arrived and packed more boxes and started to load the truck with our boxes, I followed a young man taking a box with my high-end doll clothing out to the truck without a number sticker on the box, he entered the truck, so I asked where was the sicker, he stated that he would set it to the side and add to a bigger box, okay being I don't know the process.

At the end of the day, they loaded about 75% of our belongings. STOP they didn't do tag-Out with the locks for the doors for us to sign off on the paperwork when they seal the doors, the guy said, "Don't use them if something gets lost or damaged." "You're covered," the young man stated. LIES LIES LIES. So, they took our belongings to a hotel with us not knowing if they were going through our items. Bad Company.

We didn't accept the Atlas Moving Van Companies offer. Now seeking a lawyer to recovers the losses. I will never get the lost dolls back nor the lovely clothing and they didn't even say what happen, only said, you have 30 days to accept the low-ball buy out. Where is the Law firm Cochran, Cherry, Givens, and Smith when you need them?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Beware of Atlas Van Lines. We hired them to move us from Asheville, NC to Loma Linda, CA. They did the packing and the hauling, and our goods took up a whole truck load. The result was a lot of broken and missing articles that the company is mostly refusing to take responsibility for, even though we opted to pay extra for full insurance. For example, the six heavy components of our high quality stereo system that cost $11,000 in 1978 and had been working excellently before the move were jammed into two large boxes without any padding.

When I found them after the movers had dumped them on the wrong floor of the new house both boxes were burst asunder, and of course the system is no longer working. However, Atlas says it is not responsible for damage caused by road vibrations! A most attractive Tiffany-style lamp-shade was jammed in the middle of a large box surrounded by heavy items which broke and squashed it, ruining the item. I priced what it would cost to replace it at $2,000, but Atlas is offering only a couple of hundred. The driver chose not to check off the items on the packing list as they unloaded because they were "running late" and I was required to tell the unloaders where to take each box. Now Atlas refuses to take responsibility for 3 missing pairs of almost-new foot-ware and 6 trays each holding about 25 CDs. This was anything but a professional job--in many respects it showed vast incompetence. I would give this zero stars if that were an option.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

These movers damaged so much of my property. Ripped off bottoms of bookcases and desks. Cracked side of my dresser. Big dent in dryer. Bullied me into not counting boxes while they sat on my furniture and used my ladders to unload my stuff. Wouldn’t put gym equipment back together and lost all the screws to it. They wanted to give me 1000.00 for over 6000.00 worth of damage. They tried to devalue all of my big ticket items and only pay for small items. I have escalated this to supervisors who won’t give straight answers. They just keep trying to get me to settle for nothing after causing a lot of damage. Buying extra protection did not help either. They are a rip off! Their rep. Told me who to use to ship my car and come to find out it wasn’t affiliated with Atlas. He told me to use them because his daughter worked there while leading me to believe it was under Atlas.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Atlas moving has proved to be a horrible experience. The initial move seemed fine. They showed up on time and the movers were careful and courteous. I signed a list of items that were moved and two “high value” items. When the movers arrived I was told I needed to rent a second moving truck because the big rig was too large to get in my driveway. The added expense was $1,000.00. When they arrived I was handed a clipboard and was told to check off items as the movers called them out. I agreed. They called out numbers and boxes were missing. They had several extra boxes on the truck without tags. They proceed to open up the boxes so I could look in to see if it was mine. It was all very rushed and confusing. After they left I found something of high value was missing. Every attempt to reconcile has been horrible and it’s been two months with no resolution. Do NOT use them!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

If I could give Atlas a ZERO I would. I never write negative reviews but this was a HORRIBLE experience. The movers we used through Atlas threw away our $4,000 mattress and broke our $400 vacuum. I filed a claim weeks ago and have not heard anything back. We are now likely going to have to go to court to resolve this. DO NOT USE ATLAS.

Atlas Van Lines Company Information