Find a Movers partner

4.0/5 (831 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company with more than 430 local agents throughout the U.S. and Canada. Its Atlas Academy provides standardized training and education for Atlas Van Lines movers. The company partners with AAA to provide member discounts. Customers choose the packing option that’s best for them.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Available nationwide
    • Mobile app
    • Perks for AAA members

Cons

• Difficult quote process

Bottom Line

Atlas Van Lines has local agents across the U.S. who arrange local, long-distance and international moves. Getting a quote could be easier, but some great discounts can make up for it.

Top Atlas Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had the choice of 3 major moving companies... I read reviews before choosing who I went with... but Atlas ended up working the best with my crazy schedule and short timeline in ...

Verified

Called Atlas on short notice... The movers were outstanding and spent a weekend packing and loading our goods then trucking them to our VA rental and unloading them into our renta...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company that uses a network of local agents across the United States to perform local, long-distance and international moves. Local agents must graduate from the Atlas Academy, a program that teaches movers how to perform in-home estimates, respond to claims and provide great customer service. Every mover with Atlas Van Lines must also pass a background check. Movers start packing your belongings the day before a move.

Atlas Van Lines cost

A long-distance move with Atlas costs between $3,000 and $6,000, on average. Atlas Van Lines’ quotes are often higher than its competitors' because it automatically adds full-value protection, but there is an option to downgrade to basic coverage.

Atlas’ financial perks for AAA members are fantastic — members save an average of $600. Members also receive complimentary full-value protection instead of basic coverage. Full-valuation coverage for an item is $6 per pound, while basic coverage is just 60 cents per pound.

Estimated Atlas Van Lines costs

Move typeEstimated cost
    Local move (three bedrooms)$2000 - $3,000
    Long-distance move$3,000 - $6,000
    Cross-country move$7,000-plus

Atlas Van Lines moving services

Atlas Van Lines carries out all types of moves and offers a variety of moving services for customers.

Types of moves
    Atlas Van Lines performs the following types of moves:
    • Local moves: Atlas’ website shows customers where local agents are available to help with short, local moves.
    • Long-distance moves: Atlas has experience moving people across state and province lines in the U.S. and Canada.
    • International moves: Atlas’ most popular international moves are to Canada and Mexico, but the company operates across the world.
    • Military moves: Atlas moves about 13,000 military families every year, both within the United States and overseas.
    • Corporate moves: Atlas has expedited options for corporate moves. Many of these moves take just a few days.
    Free services
    Atlas Van Lines has several services that come free with every move, including:
    • In-home moving estimate: Atlas Van Lines requires an in-home inspection to provide an accurate price estimate.
    • Loading and unloading: Atlas’ trained movers load and unload all boxes into and off the van.
    • Online shipment tracking: Once the shipment has left, customers can track it online or via Atlas’ mobile app, AtlasNet.
    Premium services
    Atlas Van Lines provides the following optional premium services:
    • Special item moves: Atlas movers have experience moving bulky and fragile items, such as pianos and antiques, and can create custom wooden crates. Atlas movers wear gloves when handling special items.
    • Auto transport: Atlas moves cars, motorcycles and boats.
    • Full-value protection: Many customers opt for full-value protection, which offers 10 times more coverage for household items than basic protection.
    • Storage in transit: Atlas stores belongings in secure warehouses for those who need a temporary in-between holding spot. The total cost is determined by the weight of items and length of stay.
    • Professional packing: Choose from full or partial packing. Partial packing means customers pack what they feel comfortable with and Atlas movers do the rest.

Atlas Van Lines FAQ

Is Atlas Van Lines a broker?
    No. Local Atlas agents operate their own business but work under the Atlas umbrella. The Atlas Academy, which trains movers, helps standardize the moving experience.
    What will Atlas Van Lines not move?
    Atlas Van Lines doesn’t move household cleaning chemicals, live animals, guns or fireworks. Ask a local Atlas agent about any items you’re unsure of.
    Does Atlas Van Lines have an app?
    Yes, Atlas Van Lines has an app called AtlasNet. Customers can track their move and manage paperwork through the app.
    Does Atlas Van Lines have auto transport services?
    Yes. Atlas Van Lines moves cars, boats and motorcycles.

Is Atlas Van Lines worth it?

Atlas Van Lines might be worth it to people looking for a full-service move with add-ons like full packing, auto transport and temporary storage. AAA members benefit even more, saving up to $600 on their moves and receiving free full-value protection. Customer experience seems to vary by location, however, and several reviews mention damaged items.

Atlas Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

Original review: April 29, 2021

They were efficient and the move went smoothly and safely. Everything arrived in one piece. Our move was coast to coast, our belongings arrived in a little over a week. I would use this company again. The packers did a great job.

Original review: April 15, 2021

From the start, I was met with kindness and concern regarding my move situation and all the details! The customer service rep was always available to answer my questions, and when the move was scheduled and preparations were being made for the truck to come, I felt confident and at ease. When the movers arrived, all of them were courteous and friendly. They handled my items with care, and they were receptive to my concerns. I knew exactly what to expect as the move progressed. During the move itself, I was called by the driver and knew where he was on his trip, when he was going to arrive, and my mom, who was my point person at the destination, was treated with care and compassion! Overall, I was very pleased with the service I received!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

A company I was working for decided to move to another location in Charlotte, NC. Atlas Van Lines was hired to handle the move. Our Company was a large distributor with many items to move. Most of our inventory was stored in small bins. They supplied the carts and we pulled each bin in such a way that it went on the shelf at the new location in order. With their shelving carts and logistics we were able to load and move 90% of a 10,000 sqft facility in 4 days. We shut down on a Thursday and were up and running the following Monday.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

The price was outrageous for this service, but was generally worth the work it'd take to move otherwise. Unfortunately, a few of my items were broken with no option for replacement or reimbursement. Would recommend, but be mindful they're not going to insure your items.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

My experience with Atlas was very positive because of their professionalism, courtesy, friendliness promptness and efficient attention and service to my every need. Every member of the Atlas staff was attentive and very responsive to every aspect of my cross-country move.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

The crew and drivers who handled the packing, loading, and unloading were great. While friendly, the contact at Atlas was incompetent. Throughout the process she provided inaccurate, incomplete, or incorrect information -- this included a low weight estimate (resulting in a higher than expected cost), surprise need for crating on day of move (resulting in a higher than expected cost), incorrect updates on delivery day, short noticed cancellation for delivery, etc. When I tried to discuss this with Atlas management, the contact was unable to hear my concerns and was rude (cursed at me), dismissive, and uninterested in truly resolving the situation. This was my third time using Atlas, and unfortunately, it will be my last--the first two jobs were great, but clearly they've experienced a decline in quality of service. I would strongly recommend finding a moving company other than Atlas.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

We moved from Columbus to Boise and selected Atlas based on a delivery date of July 12-19. It was a long wait, but we understood with the pandemic. We weren’t warned it could be later. It’s August 20 and we still have no driver to bring our items or a date when we will from Atlas. The interactions are kind, but it’s been a hardship for sure.

Original review: July 28, 2021

Atlas was hired to move us from Seattle to Bend, OR with 3-weeks lead time and we were assured a specific move date. Atlas did not respond to any questions after our initial deposit payment (e.g.: what time will the crew show up?, will they have wardrobe or TV boxes ?, is this a one-day or two-day move?, etc.) and changed our specific move date to a 3-day window. Atlas then TWICE changed their own 3-day window, including the morning of our move! We fired Atlas on the spot that morning as we needed to move that day and had twice inconvenienced the new owners with our fluctuating schedule. Luckily, we found a local mover that treated us fairly and did the job that day. To their credit, Atlas was very prompt in returning our deposit.

Original review: July 23, 2021

I used Atlas Van Lines in April 2021 for a small move from NYC to Denver. The Atlas estimator came to my apartment and saw every item that I was taking on my move. At the time, I asked him for a binding agreement to which he replied that Atlas can do a binding contract. The weight estimate was effectively 1000 pounds. My moved was subbed out to one of Atlas's smaller regional moving groups and they never relayed that I wanted a binding agreement. When I received my items in Denver, the weight was 1600 pounds more than their estimate. I opened an overage claim stating that their estimate was grossly under reality and that I had asked for a binding agreement but never got one from their regional moving company. Their response was essentially that there was nothing they could do and I was billed about 60% more than their original quote.

Original review: July 23, 2021

We signed what we thought was a binding contract with Atlas to move our goods from California to Colorado, to be delivered between June 17 and 25. One month later, our household goods are still being stored somewhere (we were told Reno) with no delivery date in sight. I had checked the BBB and the complaints database at FMCSA and they had a fewer complaints than others. However, you can see from these reviews and comments on their Facebook page, they do not fulfill their contract. They will buy you inflatable mattresses and folding plastic furniture but try living with that for a month or longer. You don’t get to talk to Atlas at all about your issues, only the local rep who has no ability to help you. Do not use Atlas.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Atlas Van Lines Company Information