1.16/5

Compare Movers

Atlas Van Lines

With Atlas, you get an experienced Atlas team of movers and packers to help make your transition easier. We bring the technology, equipment, and expertise to get the job done. Atlas is one of the world’s best known and most trusted names in moving. Every U.S. Atlas Agent is certified as a ProMover and is part of a vast network of professional movers. Your local Atlas Agent can be trusted to take you to new places easily and securely near or far.

Compare Movers

152 Atlas Van Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

I'm just driving to work and an Atlas Van Line trailer just threw himself in front of me even though he saw me coming. I had to swerve to the left lane! I was not speeding. I was very close, I had the right of way. He had a stop and did NOT even stop!

Original review: July 29, 2019

Nelson ** (Atlas Van Lines agent) is the worst company we have ever dealt with. They have robbed us of our sanity and our money. We hired them to move us from the Chicago Area to the Denver area (a ~$14K move) and they have provided the worst customer service I have ever seen. First, our household goods were loaded up in Chicago. They promised in writing a delivery date in Denver of June 23rd. After numerous calls and little response, our goods were "delivered" on July 2nd - a whopping 10 days late with no explanation other than they were out of drivers.

And I use "delivered" in "air quotes" as our items were stuffed to the gills inside the center of a semi-truck. When they opened the side doors I was shocked on how our personal items were stacked on top of each other. Almost every box was crushed, and many plastic bins were broken. They also opened bottom panels on the semi, and literally pieces, parts and items started falling out from multiple households right onto the street which the drivers had to sort though (asking us what was ours and what was not?!?).

After going through all of the boxes finally, we have discovered that we are missing parts to so many things (shoe racks, 3 metal shelving units, our 2 mountain bikes are missing the hubs, hardware for assembling tables, legs for tables, etc...) I cannot list them all. Our treasured dining room table was smashed underneath the contents of another family's load (they do not even try to seperate them) and all 4 legs broken.

There are so many parts missing, we are still discovering issues as of today, July 29th. They found our log rack and the parts to one of our tables in the cab of another company's semi 7 days after the delivery date. I submitted a claim on July 8th, which was an extremely detailed typed letter with forms attached. I courteously explained what the issues were and submitted a fair amount of the claim along with receipts. However, their claims department has been no help at all, and I have received no contact from them other than 1 e-mail on July 10th saying they have received my claim, and someone picking up the dining room table and taking it for (what we have been told is 4 weeks) repair. I called them today and they said I needed to fill out another form.

I feel based upon the # of damaged items, missing items, the quality of their service, uber-poor execution and uncaring attitude that this may be the worst company on the planet. I am very sad to post this review as I really strive to post positive reviews, but when I know I have been ripped off, I have little recourse. If anyone from Nelson ** reads this I suggest you pay my claim.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I needed to move from St. Louis, MO to Tokyo, Japan for work. I contracted my move with Guardian Relocation, a subsidiary of Atlas Van Lines. They quoted me for around $9,200, which was normal for the distance I wanted to move my belongings and with a pickup date of 12/14/2018, an estimated arrival at port of 01/05/2019 and an ETA of 01/22/2019, which was significantly faster than every other offer. This probably should've been a red flag for me but I thought, worst case, they'd deliver my goods at about the same time as the competition.

The movers were scheduled to arrive at 10:00 at my apartment but didn't actually get there until about 11:00 because they got lost. I can't really fault them for this as the complex was only built about 7 months prior and the address wasn't listed for all map services yet. The moving crew was quick, professional and friendly and I was initially very pleased with their work. My one qualm was the way they packed my mattress, a hybrid-foam variety. I told them that they shouldn't leave it folded in half when they loaded the container as that would result in damage to it and they assured me that they would put it in a proper mattress box and load it with care.

At the end of the loading process, they handed me the manifest, which I looked over. Everything appeared to be on there (although all goods were listed as being in the kitchen, which they weren't). The crew went and weighed the shipment, which came in under estimate by about 1,000lbs. Finally, they told me my goods would move out of their warehouse on the 17th after I paid the invoice with cashier's check.

This is where we started to have problems. I didn't receive an invoice on the 17th. Or the 18th. Or the 19th. In fact, I had to email them several times and then call them on the 26th, the day before I was scheduled to fly out, to even get a figure for how much I owed them. So, I had to rush to the bank, get their cashier's check and then have my mother, who drove us to the airport, drop it off at their office. I still hadn't received an invoice for my move. In retrospect, I shouldn't have paid at this point.

After arriving in Japan, my wife and I settled into our new apartment. I then emailed the moving company on January 5th to determine where our household goods were as I assumed they would have arrived at port or would at least be in transit. At this point, I was unable to actually reach them and was unable to get any detail into where my goods were. Finally, I received an email on the 16th of January stating that my goods should arrive on the 28th of January, which was approximately 6 days late. I wasn't pleased but given the logistics of the situation, I figured it wouldn't be an issue. However, the goods didn't arrive on the 28th. The Japanese movers told my wife that the goods wouldn't arrive until the 22nd of February, a whole month later than expected. There was no communication from Guardian/Atlas on this.

Finally, the movers arrived and I find several of my things soiled with some sort of rust-colored substance from what I assume was the inside of the shipping container. I'm not sure how the items were stained as they were supposedly packed in boxes. Moreover, my mattress was also soiled and folded in half, even though I was assured that it would be packed properly! I discussed this with the moving insurers and was reimbursed so that wasn't a problem, however. Finally, several boxes hadn't actually been labeled. If I'd been a dishonest person, I could've claimed that they hadn't been delivered, which is more of an issue for them than me I suppose, but it shows the lack of care that was taken throughout the process.

The last straw in this odyssey was the email I received on 6/12/2019 stating that I still owed them a balance for the moving insurance. As I hadn't ever received an invoice and 6 months had passed, it was my assumption that I had paid my account. Clearly, Guardian/Atlas doesn't keep good records. Throughout my move, Guardian/Atlas have demonstrated a lack of professionalism. Although their moving personnel were good at their jobs, management was clearly mediocre at best. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else but I know how toxic the whole industry is so, unfortunately, they might still be your best option.

Original review: April 26, 2019

At the move destination we were informed by the driver that the truck had been robbed overnight and the driver showed us the broken lock and pictures of the back of his truck when he opened it and made the discovery that morning. The move for us was already very stressful due to other factors so we just proceeded in unloading the remaining items. We had no internet or cell phone service at our new house so there wasn’t much else to do. We were re-assured by Ernie’s that they would “take care of us”.

We were instructed to submit a claim to Atlas which we did immediately. We quickly compiled a list to the best of our knowledge of the items that were stolen and submitted a claim including replacement cost value, weight and descriptions of all items to the best of our knowledge. The list was extensive since there were a large number of tools. items totaled approximately 3100.00. We called Ernie’s and Atlas many times but had no further communication from Ernie’s, no callbacks, the driver never answered to our requests for the pictures. Atlas recently called us and offered us approximately 300.00 which we assume of .60 per pound. We did sign the agreement stating .60 per pound for damage, however this, in our opinion is not related to the theft- it is for damages. Ernie’s Operations Manager repeatedly stated that the company would “make this” right” but has never returned any of our phone calls.

We believe that Ernie’s did NOT give reasonable care in preventing the theft of our belongings for the following reasons: Transported additional items at the end of the packing process that were not inventoried, they said- “hey, got extra room” so we have no proof that they are missing no recollection of items that we did not put on the claim form. After all, we were only driving eight hours away. Secured the vehicle with a substandard lock that was easily cut. Parked in a side lot by the hotel that was had no lighting, did not have any security and was not part of the hotel parking area at all. Driver failed to file a police report until we repeatedly requested it be filed. No police came to the scene. No investigation was done.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I was quoted in the low $16,000 range for my move. My items were picked up and sat inside their truck for 3 weeks in Cleveland before leaving for Arizona during which time it rained for a number of days. When the semi arrived at the storage facility I was advised that before they would start unloading I would have to pay an additional $1,700 for extra packing. If I refused to agree to pay the additional amount all of my belongings would be taken to a warehouse in Phoenix until I agreed to pay the additional amount. During this time I would also be charged a storage fee! So what could I do but pay the additional amount as they were in total control of all of my possessions!

Unfortunately I could not be present during the unloading as I still had business in Cleveland. This was a MAJOR mistake on my part! When I was able to check on my belongings my 10'X40' unit was packed almost to the ceiling and one of the 2 access doors could not be opened as things were jammed against it. This size unit was recommended by Atlas! None of my furniture could be seen as it was packed in the middle of the unit. I paid a local mover to move my items from storage to my house 6 miles away and I was present during 100% of this move. This mover was very careful with my belongings and did no damage to anything.

During this process is when I noticed all of the items that were damaged by Atlas. I know that 95% of the damage done happened after Atlas people removed all of their protective blankets (their property) then haphazardly piled my furniture on top of each other with zero regard for scratches. (The other 5% of damage was caused by the rain that got into the semi when it was sitting in the Cleveland rain. This caused a large water stain on a very expensive walnut cabinet for housing high end stereo components). There was other damage caused to a second cabinet which included 5 large scratches on the top and sides. Other damage included holes poked thru the sides of two sofas and another sofa which was caved in on the left side, scratches on the backs of 4 dining room chairs and on the supports for the glass table. This was an $8,000 set!

Also a very expensive living room table covered with chrome & polished brass plates was badly damaged, dented and scratched. Regarding this item the thing that was so upsetting was that it looked like the chrome and brass pieces were peeled back with a screwdriver "on purpose"! This kind of malicious damage could not be done by piling heavy things on top of it! Other damage included a subwoofer for my home theater which had a hole punched in the cone of the speaker, a surround sound processor which no longer passed a video signal (no picture).

I had my own insurance which covered my things while en route to Arizona (I paid $850 for a special policy thru State Farm Insurance and another policy which covered my things while in the storage unit but there was no insurance coverage for damage caused by Atlas when they were unloading and jamming my things into the storage unit and this is the loophole that they counted on that absolved them from all blame!) At least if I would have been present when they were unloading. I could have short-circuited their poor treatment of my things! After fighting with these people for 6 months my settlement was $22.00! Does this sound like a company you would trust with your possessions??!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS MOVER!! This company will scam you. We paid them over $15,000 to pack and move our things. We paid extra money for them to pack our TV's as well as assembling and reassembling our exercise equipment. Our curved OLED $3000 TV arrived in a TV box with only packing paper. The driver admitted he had never packed that kind of TV before. It arrived, and when I turned it on it had a large blue line running down the front of it. I researched the issue and it was likely caused by a wire coming loose on the motherboard. This likely happened because it was mishandled. Our Elliptical Machine was damaged, and put together incorrectly. Parts missing and console not working. According to the service company they had come out here it was $1500 to fix the elliptical.

When I called Atlas they refused to pay for both items stating they don't cover truck vibrations, and that it's not actually insurance it's "valuation" whatever that means. When you talk to the sales people they will lie to you and tell you everything is covered etc... They will try to get you to buy it. Basically they will lie their ** off. So what they do is break your stuff, and then they scam you after the fact. The broke some expensive things on my move and they are paying nothing. Never use this company, find an alternative.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Absolutely do not use this company if you want to receive your belongings intact. We got a $1,600 quote at the beginning. They picked up all my property everything that I own out of my house. Took it to a warehouse then called me and said I owed $2,500 more and they would not deliver my things until I paid 25 hundred more dollars. They didn't arrive in California until a month later with all of my belongings and ask for another $1,300 cash so my $1,600 move turned into a $5,000 move and every single thing that was packed is broken. All of my furniture is damaged. I am not exaggerating. Everything I own was ransacked while in their warehouse and is broken. If you value your property take the time to get a moving truck and do it yourself. These people will rob you financially and everything you own. I have plenty of pictures that I will be sharing. Please do not use this company and tell everybody that you can--- do not use this company!!!

Our salesman was conveniently never available on pickup day or drop-off day. The only time we ever talked to our salesman was when they wanted more money and Dana has claimed to be a dispatcher and office manager and a customer service person but for somebody who works customer service she amazingly hangs up the phone on you Quote accidentally unquote. All the time horrible horrible company. Destroyed every single thing that we own and charged us $5,000 to do it and held our property hostage. We had no choice. I will not stop until everybody knows how horrible this company is. I have called all the local news stations. I need the whole world to know. Do not use this company!!!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

The moving experience was traumatic, partly because of major breakage in 3 pieces of furniture, one of which could no longer be used) but we understood that because the move was done during the busy season and people doing that job don't care about the customer's belongings. Because it was a cross country move, things had to be unloaded off the first truck and kept in a storage unit for a few days. The furniture looked as if everything was put in the unit and then pushed with something to shut the door. It was unpleasant and the insurance didn't pay for the damage.

BUT, the worst part was a helper hired by the Atlas Van Lines truck driver. He went into a room with a sign on the door distinctly marked to stay out (there was a dog in there and she could not be fooled), and disappeared while we were settling up with the driver. I saw him sneaking down the back staircase from where he'd been wandering around upstairs. There was one computer turned on at the time (in that room marked to stay out), and within 48 hours, someone tried to hack my email account. Naturally, I suspect that guy because he proved his dishonesty by being where he wasn't supposed to be, but can't prove it, of course. The truck driver indicated that he knew the helper and often called upon him for help unloading. Other people who are more street savvy may read this and think 'well, what did you expect, greenhorn?' and it's true we are, or were, fairly naive, trusting people. It is what it is; take from this what you can use.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

We moved from The Toronto area to Vancouver Island Oct. 2018. The day before our move we phoned to ask when the truck would arrive and waited. No one got back to us. Moving day we called again and no one got back to us so we called the original booking agent and she found out they had lost our order. They scrambled to find a truck and sent one from London Ontario. It finally arrived at 3pm to load our stuff. The crew worked hard and with Our great preparation was able to finish at 9pm. Needless to say it was very stressful as we had to be out and start driving west the next morning with our two dogs. We arrived in Nanaimo 7 days later and took possession of our house and waited for the truck to arrive within the contracted window. Well, we slept on the floor because delivery was 4 days late past the window.

After paying for insurance to cover any damages and there was damages the crew chief told us if we made a claim it would come out of his pay. I cannot blame the crew or the booking agent because they did their best under difficult circumstances. But after head office screwed up the booking, the schedule and sold us useless insurance they should at least contact us. We filled out a "satisfaction survey" and waited nothing... Then called the agent and she said someone would contact us... Nothing. So after spending over $16,000 we have been completely ignored.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

We interviewed two companies for moving and storage services. Atlas was one of the two. Brent, with Atlas, came out to our home, talked to us about his service, garnered what our needs are, and then took an inventory of our household items to be moved and stored. When we received his quote, it was over $4,000 higher than the other company's quote, with the approximate weight of the household items within a fraction of the other company's weight. We called Brent and ask him why he might be so much higher than the other company, and he promptly told us that "maybe this isn't a good fit."

We explained that the other company came out $4,000 lower, with nearly the same weight, that we wanted to give him an opportunity to rework his numbers, or at the very least, justify/explain the costs. He said he would take a look at the quote and get back with us. Several days have passed and we are now thinking that Brent and Atlas would prefer clients who do not look carefully at the quotes/fine print and sign on without question. To be fair, we asked the other company to look again at their quote. They did and could not figure out how Atlas came up with a figure $4,000 higher than what they quoted. Needless to say, we have written Brent and Atlas off; we are going with the other company. Bottom line? Buyer beware.

Atlas Van Lines Company Information