3.9/5 (453 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company with more than 430 local agents throughout the U.S. and Canada. Its Atlas Academy provides standardized training and education for Atlas Van Lines movers. The company partners with AAA to provide member discounts. Customers choose the packing option that’s best for them.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Available nationwide
    • Mobile app
    • Perks for AAA members

Cons

• Difficult quote process

Bottom Line

Atlas Van Lines has local agents across the U.S. who arrange local, long-distance and international moves. Getting a quote could be easier, but some great discounts can make up for it.

Top Atlas Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I had the choice of 3 major moving companies... I read reviews before choosing who I went with... but Atlas ended up working the best with my crazy schedule and short timeline in ...

Verified

Called Atlas on short notice... The movers were outstanding and spent a weekend packing and loading our goods then trucking them to our VA rental and unloading them into our renta...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Atlas Van Lines

Atlas Van Lines is a moving company that uses a network of local agents across the United States to perform local, long-distance and international moves. Local agents must graduate from the Atlas Academy, a program that teaches movers how to perform in-home estimates, respond to claims and provide great customer service. Every mover with Atlas Van Lines must also pass a background check. Movers start packing your belongings the day before a move.

Atlas Van Lines cost

A long-distance move with Atlas costs between $3,000 and $6,000, on average. Atlas Van Lines’ quotes are often higher than its competitors' because it automatically adds full-value protection, but there is an option to downgrade to basic coverage.

Atlas’ financial perks for AAA members are fantastic — members save an average of $600. Members also receive complimentary full-value protection instead of basic coverage. Full-valuation coverage for an item is $6 per pound, while basic coverage is just 60 cents per pound.

Estimated Atlas Van Lines costs

Move typeEstimated cost
    Local move (three bedrooms)$2000 - $3,000
    Long-distance move$3,000 - $6,000
    Cross-country move$7,000-plus

Atlas Van Lines moving services

Atlas Van Lines carries out all types of moves and offers a variety of moving services for customers.

Types of moves
    Atlas Van Lines performs the following types of moves:
    • Local moves: Atlas’ website shows customers where local agents are available to help with short, local moves.
    • Long-distance moves: Atlas has experience moving people across state and province lines in the U.S. and Canada.
    • International moves: Atlas’ most popular international moves are to Canada and Mexico, but the company operates across the world.
    • Military moves: Atlas moves about 13,000 military families every year, both within the United States and overseas.
    • Corporate moves: Atlas has expedited options for corporate moves. Many of these moves take just a few days.
    Free services
    Atlas Van Lines has several services that come free with every move, including:
    • In-home moving estimate: Atlas Van Lines requires an in-home inspection to provide an accurate price estimate.
    • Loading and unloading: Atlas’ trained movers load and unload all boxes into and off the van.
    • Online shipment tracking: Once the shipment has left, customers can track it online or via Atlas’ mobile app, AtlasNet.
    Premium services
    Atlas Van Lines provides the following optional premium services:
    • Special item moves: Atlas movers have experience moving bulky and fragile items, such as pianos and antiques, and can create custom wooden crates. Atlas movers wear gloves when handling special items.
    • Auto transport: Atlas moves cars, motorcycles and boats.
    • Full-value protection: Many customers opt for full-value protection, which offers 10 times more coverage for household items than basic protection.
    • Storage in transit: Atlas stores belongings in secure warehouses for those who need a temporary in-between holding spot. The total cost is determined by the weight of items and length of stay.
    • Professional packing: Choose from full or partial packing. Partial packing means customers pack what they feel comfortable with and Atlas movers do the rest.

Atlas Van Lines FAQ

Is Atlas Van Lines a broker?
    No. Local Atlas agents operate their own business but work under the Atlas umbrella. The Atlas Academy, which trains movers, helps standardize the moving experience.
    What will Atlas Van Lines not move?
    Atlas Van Lines doesn’t move household cleaning chemicals, live animals, guns or fireworks. Ask a local Atlas agent about any items you’re unsure of.
    Does Atlas Van Lines have an app?
    Yes, Atlas Van Lines has an app called AtlasNet. Customers can track their move and manage paperwork through the app.
    Does Atlas Van Lines have auto transport services?
    Yes. Atlas Van Lines moves cars, boats and motorcycles.

Is Atlas Van Lines worth it?

Atlas Van Lines might be worth it to people looking for a full-service move with add-ons like full packing, auto transport and temporary storage. AAA members benefit even more, saving up to $600 on their moves and receiving free full-value protection. Customer experience seems to vary by location, however, and several reviews mention damaged items.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlas Van Lines?

Original review: June 8, 2022

We moved from Florida to Pacific North West and used Atlas Van Lines as our moving company. We had bought Full Value Protection. To Atlas' credit, they came on time and arrived on time. But, 80% of my rosewood furniture that was disassembled, packed, loaded, moved, unloaded, unpacked were damaged, some of them are bad beyond repair and few hardware and parts were lost including the ones for our bed. We are dismayed that, Atlas rep had agreed to take special care like antique while packing and handling. The unpackers blamed it on the packers, but I think that is a normal practice to blame. Irrespective of who is to be blamed, the customer is the sore losers. I filed a claims. The replacement value of all the items are in excess of $51,000. Atlas sent a guy for evaluation and the same person is supposed to repair the furniture. We asked for at least five items that are broken to be replaced. But, Atlas is hell bent on repairing.

When I asked about warranty, neither Atlas nor the repairing vendor will provide warranty. Atlas' response is "it is not a good". It seems Atlas doesn't understand the concept of service warranty. The settlement cost Atlas is willing to pay is less than 15% of the replacement value. I will not use nor will ever use this company. The best part is the CEO of the company is afraid of receiving emails and my email to him was rejected. This should give an indication of the company's attitude towards "customer service".

Original review: June 2, 2022

There are better options out there. This company is untrustworthy. There are a number of reviewers that say the same thing, and my experience was no different. At every step of the way, they brazenly said things that were simply not true.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Atlas Van Lines made a mess out of my move to Belgium. They didn't know the laws, they didn't inform me properly. They were extremely late in delivering my goods which were picked up on Aug 6 and delivered Jan 27! They gave me the wrong tracking # of the vessel which gave the wrong arrival to port dates, dates based on which I flew several times to Belgium to receive the shipment for nothing! I had to rent an apartment, buy warmer clothes.

Atlas' claim department ignored me 100%. Atlas didn't know where my container was, but didn't communicate with me. They shipped to Holland instead of Antwerp, Belgium, and the Belgian authorities and the Dutch relocation company made a mess out of my move too. All because Atlas didn't know the requirements and didn't communicate with me prior to the move. In the end I ended up having to pay an extra 3000 euros ransom, as my furniture was being held hostage. Pay 3000 and have it delivered or keep it in port and I would have to pay storage. Atlas has been silent throughout the entire process. Awful service!

Original review: March 26, 2022

This was by far the worst move I have had. I have moved 6 times around the globe and Atlas is the least responsible and least responsive moving company I have ever dealt with. I will never consider them again. This was a corporate sponsored move so I had no choice of company. From the beginning, they did not respond to calls or emails and lacked any attention to detail. What was a 25 day move window became 4 months after part of our shipment was lost. My son's crib did not arrive in the initial shipment and I had to plead for a replacement which was never compensated. They broke over 40 items and only covered a third.

Excuses every day and at least a week to respond to any communication. They broke our Peloton bike and sent a furniture repair guy to inspect it who said it was fine. Expert in bikes I would say. At the end of the day, it was the customer service that put the nail in the coffin. They defected and made excuses and pointed fingers and never once acted like a company who moves people for a living.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

Updated on 03/11/2022: Atlas Van Lines provided one of the worst experiences I have had, ever. A cross-country move for a 4 bedroom home cost $16300, took 25 days, and results in multiple broken items. The company's communication is near non-existent, until they are attempting to collect payment. Your move is NOT INSURED for broken items, unless you want to pay additional (over the $16k). Without paying additional large fees, you will receive $0.60 per pound of items broken, a ridiculous figure. If they break a $500 vase that weighs 3 pounds, you will receive $1.80. This is absolute insanity. They will intentionally quote you less than the final cost. Ours was underquoted by over $4000. Note, the reviews on their website are hand-selected, as they do not have an open review policy. Truly one of the worst companies I have ever encountered.

Original Review: Really one of the worst experiences with any business I have ever had. We did a cross country move for a 3 bedroom house with a Bouch moving, who contract with Atlas. Here are the numbers:

- 3 bedroom house (no couches, no dining room table, no dining room chairs, 1 bed, 1 baby grand piano (about 500 lbs), 1 washer/1 dryer, no other appliances, lots of other stuff)
      - Cost: $16,300
      - Days to deliver: 25 (didn't even get picked up for 14 days)

- Calls from Atlas to update us: 0

Absolutely horrendous experience. The only calls we received for updates were from the driver's wife, the first about 22 days after our stuff was picked up. I highly recommend using another service for a cross country move.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

My father is retired Air Force so I grew up moving around the USA. I remember Atlas being one of the companies that we used so I thought we would use them this time. They were one of the 3 companies we called to get a quote. My husband and I have also moved 9 times in 24 years so are quite familiar with the moving process. Our items were mostly going into storage. Every other company that has ever moved us has wrapped some of the furniture in stretch wrap to protect from stains as well as to keep shelves with small bookcases. They also use wrap to keep cardboard in front of glass doors on a tv stand, etc. Atlas didn’t have any and didn’t seem to know how to use wrap at all.

Since our items were going into storage we expected the movers to protect the furniture in some manner (they certainly were not going to donate the blankets and in the past movers had used the clear stretch wrap to do so). I mentioned this several times and was Ignored and dismissed. My TV stand glass doors were completely exposed so anything in our storage unit could damage them. As a customer hiring a professional company I shouldn’t have to wrap this myself.

Our driver also got into several arguments with us. We also had a BINDING contract to not exceed a certain amount even if the load was more. A risk they knew they were taking when they chose to make it binding. When we got to the storage units they REFUSED to unload until we contacted the office since the truck was significantly over what the atlas employee had estimated. It took more than an hour to start the unload and finally set that straight. In mine and my husband's experience this was the worst company and we should’ve chosen one of the other 2 for this move. We will NEVER use Atlas again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

This company moved me across country. The driver didn’t handle a crate, especially marked for proper handling, correctly. So, my sculpture arrived broken. The company is non responsive to this damaged piece. Also one package of art pieces is missing. I will admit I was remiss is checking off each package unloaded. But as I finished unpacking over the weekend I realize this package was missing. Nonresponsive. The driver was definitely in a hurry to leave the area and simply said sign here. Unfortunately, this items not only have a monetary value but these pieces are gifts from my deceased husband. I do NOT recommend this company for honesty and integrity!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

My husband had no choice but to use Atlas due to the arrangements made for him through the company that he was hired by. They came and packed our things on the day expected and on time so that is probably where the one star applies. Our items arrived at our new home almost 3 weeks later. During the process, we received no updates apart from what we made efforts to receive for ourselves by reaching out to the agent assigned to us. She rarely answered the phone and seemed to only respond through email or after we had to call someone else and complain that we hadn't heard from her regarding our things. When our things finally arrived, one of the workers said that he had tried calling us the day before but we had no messages or anything indicating that that was true. They were friendly in delivering our things and placing them where we wanted.

However as expected after reading through reviews while we were waiting for our things, some of our things did arrive damaged and no longer usable and we did have things missing. The workers that arrived were on their way to Georgia after unpacking our things so they did not go through the itemized list with us as indicated would be the case when we first signed the paperwork. We discovered missing items after unpacking ourselves. Overall, we are glad that our things did arrive and that most of it was in the condition that we left it in but the service and customer experience was terribly poor.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

We moved across the country last month and entrusted our household goods to Atlas Van Lines. The unloading contractors were great. The packers and loaders, on the other hand, not so much. Many items arrived broken and damaged due to complete negligence during the packing process. One box in particular had our office printer on the bottom with bathroom chemicals piled on top, loose light bulbs, and our candlestick lamps thrown on top with no protection. The guys who unloaded just kept remarking about what a subpar job the packers did.

The worst part is that they stole my gun from my safe. They left the original box the gun came in so I did not notice it until a couple weeks later. Apparently Sentry Safes are made to be fireproof and not necessarily burglar proof. Hindsight being 20/20 I now know the lock can be picked in minutes. I reported the theft to the police immediately. However, Atlas refuses to acknowledge or compensate me for this theft because it was not inventoried separately. Although, a lot of things were not inventoried individually like my jewelry in a jewelry box, for example. Terrible experience. We have moved many times without incident. Do not use Atlas Van Lines.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

The crew and drivers who handled the packing, loading, and unloading were great. While friendly, the contact at Atlas was incompetent. Throughout the process she provided inaccurate, incomplete, or incorrect information -- this included a low weight estimate (resulting in a higher than expected cost), surprise need for crating on day of move (resulting in a higher than expected cost), incorrect updates on delivery day, short noticed cancellation for delivery, etc. When I tried to discuss this with Atlas management, the contact was unable to hear my concerns and was rude (cursed at me), dismissive, and uninterested in truly resolving the situation. This was my third time using Atlas, and unfortunately, it will be my last--the first two jobs were great, but clearly they've experienced a decline in quality of service. I would strongly recommend finding a moving company other than Atlas.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Atlas Van Lines Company Information