3.2/5 (62 ratings)

About Bellhop - Local

Bellhop matches clients with third-party service providers that offer local and long-distance moving. It also provides hourly labor to help move your furniture and unload or load your truck. The company sells several packing supply kits to make your move easier but does not offer packing services.

Pros

• Tracking app
  • Custom packages
  • Hourly rates available
  • Packing supply kits available

Cons

• No international relocation services
  • Not available in all states
  • No storage facilities

Bottom Line

Bellhop offers an alternative to traditional moving companies. It has a convenient booking process that can be completed online or over the phone. If the company is available in your area, it’s worth considering.

What is Bellhop?

Bellhop is a technology company that matches clients looking for local and long-distance moving with independent third-party service providers in 28 states. It also offers hourly labor so you can hire movers to help you load or unload a truck, reorganize your garage, set up for an event or other tasks.

Bellhop moving services

Bellhop specializes in local and long-distance moving, including driving and delivery. It has a Build-Your-Own package that lets you select offerings tailored to your needs. The package lets you choose how many movers, trucks and drivers you require.

The moving company offers packing supply kits, which are boxes for you to move your belongings, but not dedicated packing services.

Bellhop moving prices

The cost of a move varies based on several factors, including the distance, the number of movers needed and the hours required. As of publishing, price estimates for in-home loading and unloading (labor-only services) range from $150 to $800. Full-service moving quotes are higher since they include using a truck.

Labor-only moveFull-service move
Studio$150 to $300$300 to $600
1 bedroom$200 to $350$400 to $650
2 bedrooms$250 to $450$550 to $850
3 bedrooms$300 to $550$600 to $1,150
4+ bedrooms$350 to $800$850 to $1,350

Bellhop FAQ

Where is Bellhop available?
Bellhop moving services are available in various neighborhoods in 28 states. It operates in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
Does Bellhop have a tracking app?
Yes. The app lets you communicate with headquarters and track the progress of your move.
Is Bellhop registered as a carrier or a broker?
Bellhop is a property broker, or booking agent, but not a carrier.
Does Bellhop provide storage services?
No, Bellhop does not provide storage services.
Does Bellhop provide international relocation services?
No. Bellhop is available only in 28 states in the U.S.

Is Bellhop a good moving company?

Bellhop is a good moving company for those who want to find a local or long-distance mover. The company has experience handling both interstate and in-state relocation. However, it doesn’t service residents in all states. Where available, customers can expect to receive guaranteed cost estimates and dedicated truck options.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bellhop - Local?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bellhop?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I had to move for about a half-mile, but what I moved into was up a couple flights of stairs so I wasn't going to be able to do it by myself. And I had a full day. I needed the movers in the morning and it was relatively quick, which took two hours. When I set up the service with Bellhop, I just made a quick phone call, gave them a little bit of inventory on what I needed help with, and their rep was pretty helpful because I hadn't gone through a moving company before. But the movers they were late. I know that the payment was prorated down to the minute, so I started to get a little bit worried that I was going to have to pay more because they were late. Other than that, it was a pretty good experience and the checklist that they emailed to me was super helpful.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Bellhop did a good job overall. The crew lead's coworker was a dynamo. She worked and worked. The crew lead guy was a little over the top. He made a comment when they were taking stuff out of the apartment which was about it being like an older piece of furniture. Then later that day, after the job was done, he called me back and he kind of went on and on, profusely apologizing if he had overstepped his bounds or offended me in any way, which he didn't. But it was really a strange kind of awkward to have him call back and just sort of talk about that. It wasn't terrible. I thought that might be considered good customer service.

It seemed like the communication between the lead crew and his coworker was a little awkward. It was not inappropriate in any way, and they worked hard. They got the job done. The only thing was after the move, I realized that they had left a whole thing of wrapping plastic. I did send a text message to Bellhop to ask them if they wanted to take them and get it. I never heard back, so I just disposed of it because I didn't want it. I didn't need it.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

When you make a commitment to sell your house to Zillow, Bellhop is part of the Zillow 360. Bellhop immediately reached out to schedule my move but it was a hypothetical date that could be up to 90 days out or could not even happen. When it came down to the actual time to book Bellhop a month in advance, there were no dates available. The dates that I needed were not available, even 30 days in advance. So I had to move my closing and had to have $5,000 withheld, so I can extend myself three days out and Bellhop can move me. But I got the 5,000 back.

The moving crew was fantastic. I received a text as a reminder the day before the crew came out and I was told that there were going to be two trucks and six guys. So there was very clear and professional communication. Then a great group of young guys came. They were guys that can withstand moving stuff all day long in their early 20s. They were very professional. They took care of our items. Overall, it was an easy turnkey process. I love the fact of the inventory list. It really helped us get prepared for the move. It really relieved a lot of stress because we were able to be prepared in that timeframe. It helped us established goals. Bellhop walked us through the process very well.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

With Bellhop, it was an easy format to schedule and get a confirmation and understand what was involved. The head person during the move texted me a couple days before the move confirming that we were still on, and if I needed anything else from them. He confirmed the time that I had scheduled and then he texted that morning when he was about five minutes away, and he was right on time. He was super communicative and helpful.

I hired three movers. I had a condo, and it was a second-floor unit. I already had the truck parked out back. All my stuff was ready to go. The movers were super friendly and efficient. They were all on time. They moved really quickly. They were done in less time that I had even scheduled for them to be there. They had some questions, but they were very easy to communicate with. I was very pleased.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I went online on a Thursday night and booked the move for Sunday. It was so fast. I had texts, and reassurances that I'm in the system, and everything was good. I paid through the phone. Then two young men showed up. They were incredibly on time, and enthusiastic. They texted that they were five minutes away and then they got there and saw the job at hand. They figured out what they had to do and did it. They worked together. They had to carry a refrigerator up a million rickety steps, and over a railing, and over a bed into place. They had to uncrate it first too. They also had to move a desktop that weighed hundreds of pounds and it was a little trickier. We needed a bit of geometry on that one. So I stepped in with some geometry, but we got that done too. They were there a total of 20 minutes. It was so quick and they were amazing.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Where to start complaining about this TERRIBLE experience with BELLHOP!!!

1. I hired the service and the quote was for 4 hours. It took them 10 hours to complete the job. Complete messed up my preparations, and I had to lose an entire day because of this poor planning.

2. The movers were slow, we're not careful with my furniture. I have many furniture pieces broken, lost or scratched. I could see them throwing my furniture around, kicking pieces that fell on the floor. But this is not the least of the problems!

3. They disassembled my couch and kitchen table to move. That is ok. But I read from the website that Bellhop will assemble it back. Well, they didn't. I asked them not to re-assemble the couch and I needed to know where to put it, but the kitchen was never put back in place. I had to do it myself this morning. The worst part is that they never gave me the screws, the bolts. I have no idea where they are. I had to go and buy new ones. There are parts of the couch that I do not know where they are and I can't assemble it back on.

4. They wrapped some of the first but not all. However, waking by the apartments today I FOUND ONE PIECE OF FURNITURE HIDDEN in a far area of the apartments in the 1st floor. I moved to the 4th, they came in through the 2nd. There was NO REASON for it to be there. The only conclusion is that they hid it there because they broke the window glass door.

5. I learned during the day that they had another move scheduled for 2pm, but it was clear they wouldn't do the work in time. So they cancelled. That, which makes me assume they dragged their work to make it last the entire day and make their profit at my expenses.

6. All the time while moving things they would be talking with family members on the phone, stopped to check up on social networks. No wonder it took so long.

7. The truck driver had to jump on and help to get it done before 7pm (started at 830am). And in the end I was helping move the last loads of furniture.

It was a total disaster. I will do all I can not to have anyone else use bellhop again. Terrible, TERRIBLE experience.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Warning! Steer clear of this unprofessional and unethical company. Where do I begin? First, they took an unauthorized withdrawal of $483 from my account when I made it explicitly clear that I was only paying the initial deposit for a friend. When they showed up, they were clueless as to our agreement to deliver to two locations, and they refused to do so. After loading everything onto the truck, they threatened to unload it unless we agreed to just one delivery location. When we expressed our frustration with their failure to act according to our agreement, they threatened to unload everything.

So we said "OK just deliver it to one location and we would deal directly with their management." But they spitefully decided to dump the whole job and took everything off the truck, and we were forced to find another moving company. The manager called me and said they were willing to take off one hour, but still charge for two. I had to contact my bank and file a fraud claim because they were never authorized in the first place to take the money out of my account. These folks may advertise bargain basement prices, but they also deliver bargain basement service. Do not trust them, they will screw you over with impunity and leave you hanging - they do not care.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Only two movers showed up for the scheduled move. They were careless with my belongings which resulted in multiple damages. The compensation for those damages was insulting and caused me to have to pay a ton of money to have items replaced, fixed, and or cleaned. Offer Pad scheduled another move, but it was not until two days later which caused me a lot of issues on my transition between homes. I had to take off two days’ work to make up for the lost time.

Day two movers were better, but they did not get all my belongings moved and just left with a "sorry". Not acceptable and once again caused me to have to pay more money to hire another moving company to complete the job. Bellhop was what was provided to me through Offer Pad. I will never use or recommend Bellhop for anything! This "free" move ended up costing me more than what I would have paid for an independent mover that actually cared and could provide quality service. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Original review: April 21, 2022

Absolutely worst and I mean worst moving company ever. My fiancee used them three times prior without ever an issue.... Not this time. Prior to us moving we found out that they contract long distance moves to a third party driver and only provide the manpower...Not what was told to us during our booking. Our day was set up for March 24th, 2022. At 8:00 a.m. They guaranteed it would be to its destination by the 31st. Bellhops called a few days prior to ask if the driver could get there on the 1st instead.... Didn't really have a choice, so we agreed.

That morning, Three out of the four movers showed up, and the owner of the moving truck showed up a little earlier than them. Everything started out good and they were professional in uniform, with a great personality. They began to move our stuff fast and took care. About an hour later the 4th individual showed up. Look like he just rolled out of bed with no uniform on and looked like he hadn't showered in a few days. This particular gentleman did barely any work. Let the other three move everything around while he huffed and puffed and sat around most of the time doing a poor shrink wrap job on tiny pieces of furniture.

The gentleman then decided about an hour into helping move all our stuff into the truck that he was going to light up a joint and smoke pot on the front of our property. Now while it is legal in the state we moved from, our realtor and buyer were supposed to show up at any given time. And just because it's legal doesn't mean it's okay to do that on somebody's property.

Things started to get slightly worse in the afternoon. The movers started to slack off and take their time....Pieces of furniture were not being wrapped properly and they were starting to be careless with boxes and furniture. They did not have enough shrink wrap, so I had to run to U-Haul and buy it out of my own pocket. They had no dolly, and a huge Tangled ball of straps that they used to strap our stuff into the truck. What really took the cake this day was that my wife had medication that was taken out of the kitchen drawer, deliberately. Even after we bought them lunch, tipped them and helped them move to make it easier. At the end of the first day the truck got loaded, and we came out to the driver pulling away without even locking the back door!

The arrival was FAR worse. The truck was on time at 11am, however the 4 workers that were supposed to be there at 11....didn't show up on time. Instead only 3 workers showed up, and they all showed up 45 min late, without warning. We had our stuff put into a storage unit,.because we are buying a house. According to the very nice people at the units, the workers showed up...yet again disheveled, no uniform, and were climbing the fence to get into the unit, rather than call or go to the office. The movers also gave the site staff issues multiple times prompting them to call us ...

We had to get a second storage unit, because the workers didn't pack the unit correctly. So this is now costing us an additional $300 a month due to their sloppy, half done work. Had it been packed properly we could have done with one unit....Instead, they just threw out stuff into the unit, put heavy boxes on top of fragile and Glass.

We had boxes marked with orange tape that we made our long distance coordinator FULLY AWARE, needed to be put in the front of the unit. Not a single box was put into the front of the unit. Between the loading, unloading and transit....damaged approximately $10,000 worth of our stuff. We had to spend two days unpacking the unit, going through every box, taking photos and repacking the unit. Defeating the whole purpose of hiring movers. What was Bellhop's response? They are still giving us a run around with claims and beating around the bush. Our "claim" was supposed to take 1-3 days....It's been well over that.

Now on April 21st, it's been almost a month of dealing with this company. We called, and tried to handle this with our long distance coordinator however he just went MIA...So we called and filed complaint after complaint. Got a different person every single time. Kept getting told...someone will call us back. Someone will get back to us. Having to explain ourselves every time. Absolutely disgusting customer service. No one is on the same page and the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

After calling 15+ times and constantly keeping on top of them, we were refunded approximately $900 for the inconveniences. We filed a claim with more than 60 photos....However our "claim" settle offer was a whopping $995, which we don't agree with. They don't replace or repair, they reimburse based on "weight"....

1000000% an absolute joke of a company. They may be great for short moves, but not for long ones. We will continue to fight to get reimbursed for the damages, the service we paid for that was a joke and the time we have wasted with Bellhops....IT'S NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE!!!!

Original review: April 15, 2022

Was initially impressed with ease and cost of hiring Bellhop. When the college age crew showed up, I was initially impressed but quickly grew concerned when I noticed no to little effort was taken to protect the furniture or the newly painted walls as the Bellhop workers removed my belongings. I expressed my concerns to the team lead. Despite this, furniture was still put in the moving van without any blankets, etc. to protect them from impact/rub marks. As a result, the furniture arrived at my new residence (~20 miles away), with multiple dents/scratches to every piece of a new solid cherry bedroom set and living room tables. A knob in my front loader washer was damaged and the dryer was dented as was the laundry room wall. There were also various scratches and dents to the newly painted walls and trim of our new house.

Most concerning was the workers' attempt to hide the fact that one of them let a dovetail drawer fall out of a table while unloading it. This resulted in the door being significantly damaged. He attempted to hide the damage by placing the drawer back into the table. I was only alerted when a neighbor told me he saw it happened and watched the workers laugh as they attempted to hide the damage. I will note that I have moved multiple times over the years with most being long haul moves. The amount of damage caused by Bellhop Movers far exceeded the total of ALL of my prior moves by a significant amount. In fact, on each of my prior moves, any damage (if any) was so insignificant that I did not even bother to mention it to the movers.

Bellhop - Local Company Information