2. Movers

4.8/5 (93 ratings)

About Bellhop

Bellhop matches clients with third-party service providers that offer local and long-distance moving. It also provides hourly labor to help move your furniture and unload or load your truck. The company sells several packing supply kits to make your move easier but does not offer packing services.

Pros

• Tracking app
    • Custom packages
    • Hourly rates available
    • Packing supply kits available

Cons

• No international relocation services
    • Not available in all states
    • No storage facilities

Bottom Line

Bellhop offers an alternative to traditional moving companies. It has a convenient booking process that can be completed online or over the phone. If the company is available in your area, it’s worth considering.

What is Bellhop?

Bellhop is a technology company that matches clients looking for local and long-distance moving with independent third-party service providers in 28 states. It also offers hourly labor so you can hire movers to help you load or unload a truck, reorganize your garage, set up for an event or other tasks.

Bellhop moving services

Bellhop specializes in local and long-distance moving, including driving and delivery. It has a Build-Your-Own package that lets you select offerings tailored to your needs. The package lets you choose how many movers, trucks and drivers you require.

The moving company offers packing supply kits, which are boxes for you to move your belongings, but not dedicated packing services.

Bellhop moving prices

The cost of a move varies based on several factors, including the distance, the number of movers needed and the hours required. As of publishing, price estimates for in-home loading and unloading (labor-only services) range from $150 to $800. Full-service moving quotes are higher since they include using a truck.

Labor-only moveFull-service move
    Studio$150 to $300$300 to $600
    1 bedroom$200 to $350$400 to $650
    2 bedrooms$250 to $450$550 to $850
    3 bedrooms$300 to $550$600 to $1,150
    4+ bedrooms$350 to $800$850 to $1,350

Bellhop FAQ

Where is Bellhop available?
    Bellhop moving services are available in various neighborhoods in 28 states. It operates in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
    Does Bellhop have a tracking app?
    Yes. The app lets you communicate with headquarters and track the progress of your move.
    Is Bellhop registered as a carrier or a broker?
    Bellhop is a property broker, or booking agent, but not a carrier.
    Does Bellhop provide storage services?
    No, Bellhop does not provide storage services.
    Does Bellhop provide international relocation services?
    No. Bellhop is available only in 28 states in the U.S.

Is Bellhop a good moving company?

Bellhop is a good moving company for those who want to find a local or long-distance mover. The company has experience handling both interstate and in-state relocation. However, it doesn’t service residents in all states. Where available, customers can expect to receive guaranteed cost estimates and dedicated truck options.

Bellhop Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bellhop?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bellhop?

Original review: May 15, 2021

My wife and I lived in Baltimore, Maryland area, and we were planning to move to Kentucky. I looked online, and I saw Bellhop. The photograph showed guys with a uniform shirt, and they had shorts on. They were hauling a box on the ramp on the truck as they leave. The photograph struck me as looking really professional. So, I gave them a call, and after speaking with them, it sounds to me like they have their ducks in a row and their services are very secured. A year and a half ago, we moved the load of our items to Louisville, and then we've used them about six times since then.

Bellhop's moving coordinator was great. Speaking with him was kind of what gave me the go ahead to secure the services because he knew what he was doing, and I felt secured after speaking with him. Bellhop was just unloading me at that point. When I got there, I drove into the storage facility, and they were exactly right on time. That tells you a lot about people. If they’re late, you’re like, “Oh no.” But they showed up and they were dressed appropriately. They were younger guys, but they were very pleasant. Their personalities were awesome. They engaged with my wife and I. They straightway unloaded our truck into the storage unit, and they took care of items. That was what impressed me.

When we made the initial pack-up of the truck in Maryland, by that point, they had expanded into Baltimore, and I used their services to finish packing up my house after that. The follow up is amazing. We've used them about six times, and every single time, they're young professionals. At our latest dealing with them, one of the guys had just secured a job in accounting, but he was still doing this on the side because he liked it so much.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2021

With Bellhop, things were a little shaky at first. The driver didn't show up, so we were a few hours behind schedule. But the team was there. They were very nice. They were happy to hang out and they reassured us we weren't being charged for the time that they were there since they couldn't really start doing anything yet. They were still in good spirits. I know that that could be a bummer for them as well and kind of puts a delay on the rest of their day as well, but they didn't get frustrated in front of us.

No one broke anything in the transfer. Back at the office, behind the scenes, someone did find a new driver to fill in. They had jumped over and came to help. Everything went smoothly. Once we got to the new house and got everything in there, it's relatively quick. We had more of a bare bones move because we had already moved all of our big boxes ourselves. We just needed help with some of the furniture that wouldn't fit in our small sedan car.

I had moved before. I had done a lot of it myself. We had friends with trucks. We didn't have that option, so we were looking down at other avenues. But when we moved from Boston down to Raleigh, I used a vendor that we use for my company, Sterling. I had emailed the person I had over there that I previously networked with, and they set up a time to call and they gave me an initial estimate. It was really high for the amount of furniture we were having moved since it was so bare boned. So, I made a couple other calls. Bellhop seemed to have the best price for what I thought was fair of what was in our home. I decided to give them a shot. From the way the business is set up, the workers are almost all contractors. They're not necessarily all employees. It kind of seems like they have a little bit more individuality and autonomy. So, it felt like they were each their own little local business, so I wanted to support them as well.

From a timing standpoint, the quote was accurate. They still finished in the original timeframe, even though we were delayed by over an hour. The quality was still there. We didn't have a lot of stuff. They knew that it was going to be like, “Oh, it won't even take 45 minutes to fill the truck. And it will take us even less time to take it out.” The drive was only about 15 minutes. They were like, “It's an overestimate.” But that's the minimum estimate that Bellhop provides. They were confident from the beginning. Then, they were right. We weren't going to need all that time.

They pulled it off. I wasn't stressed in any way of watching them handle anything. They communicated well with us when they had questions. From the way they worked, they seemed to be professional, they communicated well with each other. It wasn't just one person trying to move an item and being frustrated, or one person going left while the other one’s going right. They were very much in sync. I definitely appreciated all of them. Everything went really well. Things happen, things come up, and it's all about how you recover from that. The office was reassuring, the guys were reassuring. They even told me like, “Hey, make sure that you go ahead and lock your credit card, give them a call and make sure that they're prorating you, that they're not going to still keep us on the clock or anything.” They said as soon as we clock out, it's going to close it out for the day. Then it will auto charge us. They were very knowledgeable and forthcoming.

Original review: March 25, 2021

My Realtor told me that he had been using Bellhop in the area. He wouldn’t recommend anybody other than Bellhop. He said that they were a great moving company. They were very fast and proficient, and I was very impressed myself. We had four 30-by-10 storage boxes. We moved from Dade City, Florida, to Dade County, Georgia. Everything was great. The process was very brief and to-the-point, and we got it done. They were very thorough and answered all the questions that I had, and I didn’t have any issues whatsoever.

On the day of moving, we knew what time they were going to be there because I had already talked to the guys previously. So, we knew when to expect them. They were actually early. When we went outside to look for them, they were sitting out there in their vehicles, just kind of preparing for the day, and getting their gear together, and doing what they needed to do to get ready. We went out there and everybody introduced themselves. We kind of came up with a game plan. The guy that was in charge of the situation kind of walked us through how he would like to attack it. We went and looked at the different spaces, and we went looked at the different stuff that needed to be moved and kind of came up with a plan from there. We made it happen.

I couldn’t ask for a better process. It's something that I wouldn’t mind doing again. It was the best part of the move. I had originally loaded all this stuff up in the boxes myself, and if I would have known that it was going to be so pleasant dealing with them, I’d have tried to get them to come down to Florida and load everything.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I saw Bellhop on a Groupon, and so I tried it the first time with that. They worked out really well. They were very nice. So, I ended up using them again a second time. The moving coordinator was very pleasant and professional. The most recent experience with them was the best. We had them meet us at a storage unit that we had, and we loaded the truck from the storage unit, and then we had them stop at our house, pick up more stuff from our basement, and then drive it all to my daughter and son-in-law's new house. The storage unit to our house was maybe 10 minutes and then it was about another 25 minutes down to my daughter and son-in-law's house. Then, they unloaded it there.

We were kind of running out of time, and so they ended up just putting it all in the basement at one point. It was like 7 o'clock at night and they needed to go home, which was fine. It took way longer than I thought. It was not their fault. It was just that there was more there than we realized. They were great. They were very helpful and nice. Bellhop is really good. I would definitely recommend them.

The one thing I thought that was interesting was the driver of the truck only drove and we needed to pay him hourly, which was almost five hours from beginning to end. It was like 2:00 in the afternoon until 7:00 and he just sat in the truck. Even when the other guys were running out of time and weren't able to get everything in, he was just sitting in the truck. Maybe that was the way they split up the things. One guy drives and that's all he does, and then the other guys do all the lifting. I just thought that was a little funny. It was 7 o'clock and the driver was the one saying, “We gotta get out of here at 7:00.” So, then they asked me, “Well, can we just stick everything in the garage?” It was back with cold weather and I knew we're going to have freezing weather. I said, “No. I don't want nice furniture sitting in the garage where it's gonna get below zero temperatures or whatever.”

The garage went right into the basement so I just said, “Hey, if you wouldn't mind just going through the garage and just putting everything right in the basement in that first room.” They were fine with that. I felt like we would have been done a lot quicker if the guy driving the truck could also move. He was a pretty big guy. Obviously, that was the way they do it because the other two guys did not seem bothered by it. But they were working their tails off. So, I gave those two guys a really big tip.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Right shortly before the freeze in February, I was planning on moving. I had to be out by February 28th. I have a newborn. We’re a newlywed couple, I'm an ER nurse and with the freezing, the newborn and the moving, things were very stressful. But we definitely got stripes on our newlywed sleeves. I never utilized a moving service. I had always done it myself. I didn't wanna hurt myself. I gotta go to work, et cetera, and due to the time constraints, I needed professionals. So, I just googled moving assistance in the area. I spoke to one. They were a little bit pricey. Then, I looked up and found Bellhop. From what I could gather, it was kind of a group of younger kids looking to make a buck, and it seemed like a pretty professional thing. They called me back. I had to cancel. They called code gray in my hospital, so I had to stay at the hospital. Moving got canceled, but Bellhop was in touch with me quite frequently.

Eventually, after the freeze, after the code gray was rescinded, Josh got back with me. He and his crew came out on the day of the move and started. They took direction. Not everything was packed, but I just needed the big stuff. Josh and his two colleagues did a great job. They were very hospitable and very professional going into people's homes. I used to do home health care when I first started out nursing. Going into people's home for anything is a very intimate interaction. You kinda have your professional and your social wits about you especially when you're in somebody's home. They were exemplary. They got the job done, loaded the truck, took it to my new residence, and unloaded it.

I'm extremely happy and satisfied with the services that was provided by Bellhop. The individuals that came out to my home and into my home seemed very reputable. They didn't complain. They worked as a team very well. I wasn't doing a whole lot of moving, but I was listening to their communication and how they were talking. Josh kind of seemed to be the leader. He had great leadership skills. They had great team dynamics, good communication skills, very professional attitudes, and they were very diligent, hardworking individuals. If I ever move again, I will definitely use Bellhop.

Original review: July 15, 2021

This moving company is a complete disaster. We can start with Bellhop attempting to reschedule my appointment a week before the move, that had been scheduled weeks out, without giving me an option to keep my original date and time. After I reached out and said that changing the date was not an option, I was informed that Bellhop had found other movers to take over the appointment.

Fast forward to the appointment date (July 10th at 9am). I waited for close to 30 minutes for anyone to arrive. The first person to show was the driver who told me he could not get ahold of their "Team Leader". At this point I had called Bellhop HQ and was speaking to Support Chat. Eventually another mover arrived and was saying the same thing that he could not get ahold of the TL. This mover had informed me that he could get another guy down to help, since he had started with Bellhop the day before. The time is around 10am at this point. The Team Leader eventually called me and said that "the job was assigned to him at 3am" that morning...which makes me think think company completely dropped the ball with locating a team for my appointment even though you confirmed with me that we were good to go earlier that week.

Eventually the other mover arrived which I thought would help speed up the process, but that was not the case. The driver kept leaving the truck, the movers were taking way too long organizing the items in the truck, to the point where I ended up moving majority of our items myself, they barely wrapped anything, my mattress and boxspring were just slid through the hallway so the mattress cover was completely ruined. At one point the local trash-truck came through to pickup trash on our street and the moving crew stopped to throw trash in the trash-truck, then back to moving my stuff.

At this point it's around 1:30pm and the truck is finally packed up. Right as we were getting ready to leave, the truck pulled out from behind my car so we could follow them, and the driver side-swiped my car. I am beyond furious at this point and just want the job to be over. We arrive to the final destination and I work with my father to unload the truck because I could no longer trust the crew with handling my stuff with care. A number of our items were dented/scratched and the overall handling was awful.

Nothing about this job was professional. The movers also made it clear that they only get paid "$15/hour" and that we shouldn't use Bellhop because of how unorganized it is and to hire them directly...hah. To end, Bellhop tried to charge me just $1397.35 and after calling to complain, they only deducted the move to $628.XX. If done properly, this move should only have taken 2 hours, instead it took over 5.5 hours. I can wholeheartedly say that I will never use/recommend Bellhop for any services again.

Original review: May 27, 2021

I had to contact the moving coordinator from Bellhop a couple of times beforehand because I had placed an order for the moving supplies and ended up canceling it. It was all very smooth. We were moving locally in about a mile, and it was a full-house move. We did have some sort of minor damages to things, but we didn't bother claiming. Some things possibly could have been wrapped a little better, but that's fine. Overall, Bellhop was very helpful. They were very quick with everything. We got moved faster than I expected. So, I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I was moving a one-bedroom apartment, so I needed labor to move and pack my things into a vehicle that I had. The crew was excellent and I really appreciated it. I even did a review and those guys got an extra tip.

Original review: May 25, 2021

The moving coordinator from Bellhop was friendly, and the moving crew was great. They were super fast and professional. I had a great experience, so I would use the service again.

Original review: May 24, 2021

The Bellhop coordinator was absolutely amazing. I was moving from an apartment to a house across town. The crew was also perfect. There were no broken items and the move was done quickly and efficiently. I'd definitely use them again in the future. It's way cheaper than the competitors.

Original review: May 23, 2021

Bellhop was responsive whenever I had questions. They were available. The movers were friendly, upbeat, and helpful in making the decisions of which direction to take the items into the house whether it was from the garage or the front door. They were quick, too.

Original review: May 22, 2021

There was a young woman from Bellhop I spoke to and she was fantastic. I had already booked with another company. But I ended up switching to Bellhop after I spoke with her because she was just so on top of it and willing to answer all my questions and was thorough, kind and patient. I was very impressed on that end. The crew was also all wonderful. The lead was great and all of the other members were fantastic as well. Very courteous, efficient, kind and funny. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Bellhop is a nice service. The ratings were good and people gave a good review. Plus, it worked on my timeslot and in my budget. They were very efficient, they did the job well and they were quick. I was very satisfied.

Original review: May 20, 2021

I've used Bellhop for my last four moves. It just seemed a little more secure than hiring people off of Craigslist to come load and unload my trucks for me. Every time I've ever called Bellhop, they were always super helpful. My experience with their crew is usually good. Sometimes I get a couple of college guys that aren't as cognizant as they could be, so they'll cause cosmetic damage here and there. But I've gotten pretty good at figuring out how to wrap and prep things so that it minimizes that risk. But Bellhop is reliable and they have really good support.

Original review: May 19, 2021

The moving crew showed up a little bit early and were efficient. I expected about three hours and they did everything in two. They moved all the stuff into my new place in under 30 minutes. I expected it to be longer. They were helpful, kind, considerate and honest with their time. I also did appreciate the flexibility of allowing me to get the truck. It was helpful for me to get the table which was in storage and not having to move everything in and figure out how to get the table inside.

Original review: May 18, 2021

Bellhop seemed like a convenient, simple, and easy way to book moving services. The coordinator that I dealt with was very informative. He was a good listener and communicator. The moving crew was very energetic and helpful.

Original review: May 17, 2021

I was really impressed with the movers. They just had to move all the furniture in our house. Took them an hour and 20 minutes to do that. They were really solid people and on time. Nate was the manager or leader on duty and he did a heck of a job. Give him a raise.

Original review: May 16, 2021

We only needed to move a dresser and a lot of the other places that I was looking for had a minimum requirement, like three hours for $800, and Bellhop was the best option for us in terms of that. The moving coordinator communicated pretty well with us the week of. Then as soon as the crew came, they called me. I was at work and my fiancé was here. I just communicated to her and everything was smooth from there. They were in and out in 15 minutes. If you want to get something quickly, or if you want to be able to solve whatever moving need, Bellhop is the easiest thing to do.

Original review: May 15, 2021

The moving coordinator was very professional, courteous, and had good work ethics. They came in and they worked. I would recommend Bellhop. They're fast and they get the job done.

Original review: May 14, 2021

Everything looked like there is a cohesive product being sold. All the folks that I worked with were very nice. I had very pleasant conversations with the crew. They were very helpful and attentive. It was a very positive experience. Would do it again.

Original review: May 14, 2021

The rep was great. She did some suggesting just to give me with the time. She also gave me some pointers and a checklist of things I should have or do, so everything can move swiftly. Even though I knew all that stuff, she still gave all that, which is good. Moving day was supposed to start at 9:00, but the guy showed up at 8:50. He walked through to see all they had to move and what to expect, and all that I had. Then he waited on some other guys to come. The workers arrived at different times and then they came and moved it. It worked out. The truck took a little longer to get into the delivery, but it wasn’t bad. The unloading also took a little longer because I moved to the third floor.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Bellhop was fantastic and both my experiences with them were the best I've ever had. Their team helped me move furniture from a U-Haul up to my bedroom. I've already told multiple people to use Bellhop. It was worth every penny and more because they were the nicest humans.

Original review: May 13, 2021

Bellhop was great. The service is as advertised and I'd use them again. I have used them before too.

Original review: May 12, 2021

I had a great experience from beginning to end. From the first phone call interaction to the explanation of the services and with me being a former employee of a moving company, I liked the professionalism. The rep asked all the right questions about the content that was being moved and he went over everything. He gave me all the information I wanted upfront without me having to ask. The drivers of the truck arrived a few minutes before the move. The two got everything loaded. It was refreshing to have a move go 100% effective.

Original review: May 12, 2021

Moving companies need to have a better online presence in terms of websites. So it's easier to trust a moving company, whether it's going to be good or bad. If USPS can also recommend some moving companies, that would especially help since we trust them. When I did my change of address with them, I got a coupon of Bellhop from USPS. That gave me some confidence that it's a good mover company, and I can go with them. I called them on a Thursday. I wanted to move on a Saturday and they were able to schedule me. It was very easy, quick and efficient.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I had a really good experience with Bellhop. I liked that I could see ahead of time what the price would be and it was competitive. The moving crew arrived on time. There was a team leader who was really awesome and two other guys who were helping. They wrapped a lot of the stuff that I didn't think about wrapping. They were quick but they got a lot of stuff in one swoop. They were careful with anything and they had great customer service. I was impressed and if ever I have to move again, I'm definitely going to use Bellhop.

Original review: May 10, 2021

Bellhop was a good experience but my dresser was severely damaged. As far as the movers and the way they communicate, everything was great. I recommend this company. They have nice and friendly staff.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I had to call a couple of times and the reps were super nice. Every time, it was great. I initially scheduled the move online by myself. When I was scheduling that, Bellhop didn't tell me that it was only 2 hours each way. When the movers got there, they gauged how much time we had and that was when I discovered that there was a time limit so that part was a little misleading. Bellhop might want to clarify that on the website. But the movers were super nice. We only had one item break and that was something I had warned them about but it was not a big deal.

Original review: May 8, 2021

Bellhop was easy to use and affordable. The user-interface on the browser was clean and organized. The rep was positive and helpful. On the moving day, 2 brothers showed up right on time in the morning and loaded everything up. They finished a few minutes early and were incredibly productive.

Original review: May 7, 2021

The rep was amazing. He made the move clean and simple. Everyone was incredible and everything was in good condition. It was a great experience with Bellhop all around.

Bellhop Company Information