2.3/5 (39 ratings)

About Bellhop

Bellhop matches clients with third-party service providers that offer local and long-distance moving. It also provides hourly labor to help move your furniture and unload or load your truck. The company sells several packing supply kits to make your move easier but does not offer packing services.

Pros

• Tracking app
  • Custom packages
  • Hourly rates available
  • Packing supply kits available

Cons

• No international relocation services
  • Not available in all states
  • No storage facilities

Bottom Line

Bellhop offers an alternative to traditional moving companies. It has a convenient booking process that can be completed online or over the phone. If the company is available in your area, it’s worth considering.

Top Bellhop Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Simply, they were WONDERFUL! Caring about my furniture, my other items, friendly, extremely careful (heavy, extra large furniture) and extremely pleasant to work with! Would alway...

Verified

The reps were courteous and our interactions were to the point and smooth. We ended up having to change around the time a bit, and they were more than happy to do that for us. Eve...

What is Bellhop?

Bellhop is a technology company that matches clients looking for local and long-distance moving with independent third-party service providers in 28 states. It also offers hourly labor so you can hire movers to help you load or unload a truck, reorganize your garage, set up for an event or other tasks.

Bellhop moving services

Bellhop specializes in local and long-distance moving, including driving and delivery. It has a Build-Your-Own package that lets you select offerings tailored to your needs. The package lets you choose how many movers, trucks and drivers you require.

The moving company offers packing supply kits, which are boxes for you to move your belongings, but not dedicated packing services.

Bellhop moving prices

The cost of a move varies based on several factors, including the distance, the number of movers needed and the hours required. As of publishing, price estimates for in-home loading and unloading (labor-only services) range from $150 to $800. Full-service moving quotes are higher since they include using a truck.

Labor-only moveFull-service move
Studio$150 to $300$300 to $600
1 bedroom$200 to $350$400 to $650
2 bedrooms$250 to $450$550 to $850
3 bedrooms$300 to $550$600 to $1,150
4+ bedrooms$350 to $800$850 to $1,350

Bellhop FAQ

Where is Bellhop available?

Bellhop moving services are available in various neighborhoods in 28 states. It operates in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.

Does Bellhop have a tracking app?

Yes. The app lets you communicate with headquarters and track the progress of your move.

Is Bellhop registered as a carrier or a broker?

Bellhop is a property broker, or booking agent, but not a carrier.

Does Bellhop provide storage services?

No, Bellhop does not provide storage services.

Does Bellhop provide international relocation services?

No. Bellhop is available only in 28 states in the U.S.

Is Bellhop a good moving company?

Bellhop is a good moving company for those who want to find a local or long-distance mover. The company has experience handling both interstate and in-state relocation. However, it doesn’t service residents in all states. Where available, customers can expect to receive guaranteed cost estimates and dedicated truck options.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bellhop?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

The team of three was good at what they did and they executed the plan quickly. Bellhop quickly looked at the things that needed to be moved and they crafted a plan. The loading and unloading happened fast. We moved from a single BHK to a new home. The move was over a distance of 16 miles. And it took them three hours to complete, which was nominal. So, it was a really good move. I contacted Bellhop two weeks before my move. So maybe I ended up on the higher side, the per hour rate. But I didn't mind at the time. I referred some friends of mine who said they planned their moves well ahead and they said they were able to get a good rate.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

My brother told me to use Bellhop so I did and they were great. They took good care of what they moved. I asked them to move something out of the house when they moved stuff in, and they did a great job doing that. They were kind. However, we didn't like the fact that the driver did nothing. He literally drives the truck and that’s it. You would think he would be a third hand to help, but he didn’t. That was one thing we were surprised at. Also, the truck was 25 minutes late so the two men that moved the furniture were there but the truck was not. We signed out half-hour less because we were waiting for the truck to come. I got overcharged, but they fixed that.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2021

I had to move for about a half-mile, but what I moved into was up a couple flights of stairs so I wasn't going to be able to do it by myself. And I had a full day. I needed the movers in the morning and it was relatively quick, which took two hours. When I set up the service with Bellhop, I just made a quick phone call, gave them a little bit of inventory on what I needed help with, and their rep was pretty helpful because I hadn't gone through a moving company before. But the movers they were late. I know that the payment was prorated down to the minute, so I started to get a little bit worried that I was going to have to pay more because they were late. Other than that, it was a pretty good experience and the checklist that they emailed to me was super helpful.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Bellhop did a good job overall. The crew lead's coworker was a dynamo. She worked and worked. The crew lead guy was a little over the top. He made a comment when they were taking stuff out of the apartment which was about it being like an older piece of furniture. Then later that day, after the job was done, he called me back and he kind of went on and on, profusely apologizing if he had overstepped his bounds or offended me in any way, which he didn't. But it was really a strange kind of awkward to have him call back and just sort of talk about that. It wasn't terrible. I thought that might be considered good customer service.

It seemed like the communication between the lead crew and his coworker was a little awkward. It was not inappropriate in any way, and they worked hard. They got the job done. The only thing was after the move, I realized that they had left a whole thing of wrapping plastic. I did send a text message to Bellhop to ask them if they wanted to take them and get it. I never heard back, so I just disposed of it because I didn't want it. I didn't need it.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Bellhop was able to give me specific windows of time when they would be picking up and delivering my belongings. I was moving from Chicago to Boston. My move coordinator was amazing. The move was a little hectic. There was supposed to be a crew that showed up on Wednesday, but the moving truck did not show up. But the moving coordinator was able to get another crew to help me the next day and guaranteed that the stuff would still be delivered on time, and still handled the rest of it all really great. There was a little bit of dirt damage on my couch. But other than that, it was fine. The move coordinator was extraordinarily helpful in fixing a problem that wasn't really her fault in the first place.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2022

If I could, I'd purchase a highway billboard for the sole purpose of telling people not to use this company. I hired Bellhop for a small move 5 minutes from my current home. I love the UI experience and was so impressed with the modern scheduling (so many moving companies are old school). I scheduled about a month in advance of my move. Less than 24 hours before my move, Bellhop called me and left a voicemail. They then sent me an email saying that they couldn't assemble a team for my move and asked if I'd be okay rescheduling my move for 10 days later. They told me on a Sunday (everything is closed), so I had to call 30+ companies and pay extra to find a company who would move me on such short notice.

While the customer service team did seem sorry, they did not seem to understand how difficult it is to reschedule a move 24 hrs before it happens. Moving is literally always time-sensitive. They did not seem to be trained in how to deescalate angry customers. They apologized, but offered nothing to make it right. I even said "please give me a reason to not leave a bad review, because I hate doing this and want to be able to recommend you" and they said "well, you do what you have to do." and offered to refund me, but that was it. I have moved several times with "old school" companies, and never have had someone cancel less than 24 hours before my move. This company made me angry cry (not pretty), pay extra, and did not do anything to make it better. Using Bellhop will make your move even more stressful than it already is.

Original review: July 22, 2022

After setting up a move for over a month with this company, 10 days before the move we got a call from customer services saying their system allowed a double booking and that we were going to reschedule us for the following week! We have to have the house empty by the July 31st. The move was set up for July 30th... We asked them to do the move any day before from Tuesday to Saturday and they came back saying no, they didn't have anyone for it! After the last phone call conversation they just cancelled our move, they keep on saying they care and felt bad but the bottom line was that they left us without a mover and now we have to try to scramble to see if we can find anyone that can do the move for us!!! Horrible experience!!! I would not recommend this company to anyone.. Please be aware they can cancel and leave you hanging!!!!

Original review: June 8, 2022

Where to start complaining about this TERRIBLE experience with BELLHOP!!!

1. I hired the service and the quote was for 4 hours. It took them 10 hours to complete the job. Complete messed up my preparations, and I had to lose an entire day because of this poor planning.

2. The movers were slow, we're not careful with my furniture. I have many furniture pieces broken, lost or scratched. I could see them throwing my furniture around, kicking pieces that fell on the floor. But this is not the least of the problems!

3. They disassembled my couch and kitchen table to move. That is ok. But I read from the website that Bellhop will assemble it back. Well, they didn't. I asked them not to re-assemble the couch and I needed to know where to put it, but the kitchen was never put back in place. I had to do it myself this morning. The worst part is that they never gave me the screws, the bolts. I have no idea where they are. I had to go and buy new ones. There are parts of the couch that I do not know where they are and I can't assemble it back on.

4. They wrapped some of the first but not all. However, waking by the apartments today I FOUND ONE PIECE OF FURNITURE HIDDEN in a far area of the apartments in the 1st floor. I moved to the 4th, they came in through the 2nd. There was NO REASON for it to be there. The only conclusion is that they hid it there because they broke the window glass door.

5. I learned during the day that they had another move scheduled for 2pm, but it was clear they wouldn't do the work in time. So they cancelled. That, which makes me assume they dragged their work to make it last the entire day and make their profit at my expenses.

6. All the time while moving things they would be talking with family members on the phone, stopped to check up on social networks. No wonder it took so long.

7. The truck driver had to jump on and help to get it done before 7pm (started at 830am). And in the end I was helping move the last loads of furniture.

It was a total disaster. I will do all I can not to have anyone else use bellhop again. Terrible, TERRIBLE experience.

Original review: June 2, 2022

Warning! Steer clear of this unprofessional and unethical company. Where do I begin? First, they took an unauthorized withdrawal of $483 from my account when I made it explicitly clear that I was only paying the initial deposit for a friend. When they showed up, they were clueless as to our agreement to deliver to two locations, and they refused to do so. After loading everything onto the truck, they threatened to unload it unless we agreed to just one delivery location. When we expressed our frustration with their failure to act according to our agreement, they threatened to unload everything.

So we said "OK just deliver it to one location and we would deal directly with their management." But they spitefully decided to dump the whole job and took everything off the truck, and we were forced to find another moving company. The manager called me and said they were willing to take off one hour, but still charge for two. I had to contact my bank and file a fraud claim because they were never authorized in the first place to take the money out of my account. These folks may advertise bargain basement prices, but they also deliver bargain basement service. Do not trust them, they will screw you over with impunity and leave you hanging - they do not care.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Only two movers showed up for the scheduled move. They were careless with my belongings which resulted in multiple damages. The compensation for those damages was insulting and caused me to have to pay a ton of money to have items replaced, fixed, and or cleaned. Offer Pad scheduled another move, but it was not until two days later which caused me a lot of issues on my transition between homes. I had to take off two days’ work to make up for the lost time.

Day two movers were better, but they did not get all my belongings moved and just left with a "sorry". Not acceptable and once again caused me to have to pay more money to hire another moving company to complete the job. Bellhop was what was provided to me through Offer Pad. I will never use or recommend Bellhop for anything! This "free" move ended up costing me more than what I would have paid for an independent mover that actually cared and could provide quality service. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Bellhop Company Information