4.5/5 (143 ratings)

About Bellhop

Bellhop matches clients with third-party service providers that offer local and long-distance moving. It also provides hourly labor to help move your furniture and unload or load your truck. The company sells several packing supply kits to make your move easier but does not offer packing services.

Pros

• Tracking app
  • Custom packages
  • Hourly rates available
  • Packing supply kits available

Cons

• No international relocation services
  • Not available in all states
  • No storage facilities

Bottom Line

Bellhop offers an alternative to traditional moving companies. It has a convenient booking process that can be completed online or over the phone. If the company is available in your area, it’s worth considering.

What is Bellhop?

Bellhop is a technology company that matches clients looking for local and long-distance moving with independent third-party service providers in 28 states. It also offers hourly labor so you can hire movers to help you load or unload a truck, reorganize your garage, set up for an event or other tasks.

Bellhop moving services

Bellhop specializes in local and long-distance moving, including driving and delivery. It has a Build-Your-Own package that lets you select offerings tailored to your needs. The package lets you choose how many movers, trucks and drivers you require.

The moving company offers packing supply kits, which are boxes for you to move your belongings, but not dedicated packing services.

Bellhop moving prices

The cost of a move varies based on several factors, including the distance, the number of movers needed and the hours required. As of publishing, price estimates for in-home loading and unloading (labor-only services) range from $150 to $800. Full-service moving quotes are higher since they include using a truck.

Labor-only moveFull-service move
Studio$150 to $300$300 to $600
1 bedroom$200 to $350$400 to $650
2 bedrooms$250 to $450$550 to $850
3 bedrooms$300 to $550$600 to $1,150
4+ bedrooms$350 to $800$850 to $1,350

Bellhop FAQ

Where is Bellhop available?
Bellhop moving services are available in various neighborhoods in 28 states. It operates in Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
Does Bellhop have a tracking app?
Yes. The app lets you communicate with headquarters and track the progress of your move.
Is Bellhop registered as a carrier or a broker?
Bellhop is a property broker, or booking agent, but not a carrier.
Does Bellhop provide storage services?
No, Bellhop does not provide storage services.
Does Bellhop provide international relocation services?
No. Bellhop is available only in 28 states in the U.S.

Is Bellhop a good moving company?

Bellhop is a good moving company for those who want to find a local or long-distance mover. The company has experience handling both interstate and in-state relocation. However, it doesn’t service residents in all states. Where available, customers can expect to receive guaranteed cost estimates and dedicated truck options.

Bellhop Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bellhop?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bellhop?

Original review: May 15, 2021

My wife and I lived in Baltimore, Maryland area, and we were planning to move to Kentucky. I looked online, and I saw Bellhop. The photograph showed guys with a uniform shirt, and they had shorts on. They were hauling a box on the ramp on the truck as they leave. The photograph struck me as looking really professional. So, I gave them a call, and after speaking with them, it sounds to me like they have their ducks in a row and their services are very secured. A year and a half ago, we moved the load of our items to Louisville, and then we've used them about six times since then.

Bellhop's moving coordinator was great. Speaking with him was kind of what gave me the go ahead to secure the services because he knew what he was doing, and I felt secured after speaking with him. Bellhop was just unloading me at that point. When I got there, I drove into the storage facility, and they were exactly right on time. That tells you a lot about people. If they’re late, you’re like, “Oh no.” But they showed up and they were dressed appropriately. They were younger guys, but they were very pleasant. Their personalities were awesome. They engaged with my wife and I. They straightway unloaded our truck into the storage unit, and they took care of items. That was what impressed me.

When we made the initial pack-up of the truck in Maryland, by that point, they had expanded into Baltimore, and I used their services to finish packing up my house after that. The follow up is amazing. We've used them about six times, and every single time, they're young professionals. At our latest dealing with them, one of the guys had just secured a job in accounting, but he was still doing this on the side because he liked it so much.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2021

With Bellhop, things were a little shaky at first. The driver didn't show up, so we were a few hours behind schedule. But the team was there. They were very nice. They were happy to hang out and they reassured us we weren't being charged for the time that they were there since they couldn't really start doing anything yet. They were still in good spirits. I know that that could be a bummer for them as well and kind of puts a delay on the rest of their day as well, but they didn't get frustrated in front of us.

No one broke anything in the transfer. Back at the office, behind the scenes, someone did find a new driver to fill in. They had jumped over and came to help. Everything went smoothly. Once we got to the new house and got everything in there, it's relatively quick. We had more of a bare bones move because we had already moved all of our big boxes ourselves. We just needed help with some of the furniture that wouldn't fit in our small sedan car.

I had moved before. I had done a lot of it myself. We had friends with trucks. We didn't have that option, so we were looking down at other avenues. But when we moved from Boston down to Raleigh, I used a vendor that we use for my company, Sterling. I had emailed the person I had over there that I previously networked with, and they set up a time to call and they gave me an initial estimate. It was really high for the amount of furniture we were having moved since it was so bare boned. So, I made a couple other calls. Bellhop seemed to have the best price for what I thought was fair of what was in our home. I decided to give them a shot. From the way the business is set up, the workers are almost all contractors. They're not necessarily all employees. It kind of seems like they have a little bit more individuality and autonomy. So, it felt like they were each their own little local business, so I wanted to support them as well.

From a timing standpoint, the quote was accurate. They still finished in the original timeframe, even though we were delayed by over an hour. The quality was still there. We didn't have a lot of stuff. They knew that it was going to be like, “Oh, it won't even take 45 minutes to fill the truck. And it will take us even less time to take it out.” The drive was only about 15 minutes. They were like, “It's an overestimate.” But that's the minimum estimate that Bellhop provides. They were confident from the beginning. Then, they were right. We weren't going to need all that time.

They pulled it off. I wasn't stressed in any way of watching them handle anything. They communicated well with us when they had questions. From the way they worked, they seemed to be professional, they communicated well with each other. It wasn't just one person trying to move an item and being frustrated, or one person going left while the other one’s going right. They were very much in sync. I definitely appreciated all of them. Everything went really well. Things happen, things come up, and it's all about how you recover from that. The office was reassuring, the guys were reassuring. They even told me like, “Hey, make sure that you go ahead and lock your credit card, give them a call and make sure that they're prorating you, that they're not going to still keep us on the clock or anything.” They said as soon as we clock out, it's going to close it out for the day. Then it will auto charge us. They were very knowledgeable and forthcoming.

Original review: March 25, 2021

My Realtor told me that he had been using Bellhop in the area. He wouldn’t recommend anybody other than Bellhop. He said that they were a great moving company. They were very fast and proficient, and I was very impressed myself. We had four 30-by-10 storage boxes. We moved from Dade City, Florida, to Dade County, Georgia. Everything was great. The process was very brief and to-the-point, and we got it done. They were very thorough and answered all the questions that I had, and I didn’t have any issues whatsoever.

On the day of moving, we knew what time they were going to be there because I had already talked to the guys previously. So, we knew when to expect them. They were actually early. When we went outside to look for them, they were sitting out there in their vehicles, just kind of preparing for the day, and getting their gear together, and doing what they needed to do to get ready. We went out there and everybody introduced themselves. We kind of came up with a game plan. The guy that was in charge of the situation kind of walked us through how he would like to attack it. We went and looked at the different spaces, and we went looked at the different stuff that needed to be moved and kind of came up with a plan from there. We made it happen.

I couldn’t ask for a better process. It's something that I wouldn’t mind doing again. It was the best part of the move. I had originally loaded all this stuff up in the boxes myself, and if I would have known that it was going to be so pleasant dealing with them, I’d have tried to get them to come down to Florida and load everything.

Original review: March 24, 2021

I saw Bellhop on a Groupon, and so I tried it the first time with that. They worked out really well. They were very nice. So, I ended up using them again a second time. The moving coordinator was very pleasant and professional. The most recent experience with them was the best. We had them meet us at a storage unit that we had, and we loaded the truck from the storage unit, and then we had them stop at our house, pick up more stuff from our basement, and then drive it all to my daughter and son-in-law's new house. The storage unit to our house was maybe 10 minutes and then it was about another 25 minutes down to my daughter and son-in-law's house. Then, they unloaded it there.

We were kind of running out of time, and so they ended up just putting it all in the basement at one point. It was like 7 o'clock at night and they needed to go home, which was fine. It took way longer than I thought. It was not their fault. It was just that there was more there than we realized. They were great. They were very helpful and nice. Bellhop is really good. I would definitely recommend them.

The one thing I thought that was interesting was the driver of the truck only drove and we needed to pay him hourly, which was almost five hours from beginning to end. It was like 2:00 in the afternoon until 7:00 and he just sat in the truck. Even when the other guys were running out of time and weren't able to get everything in, he was just sitting in the truck. Maybe that was the way they split up the things. One guy drives and that's all he does, and then the other guys do all the lifting. I just thought that was a little funny. It was 7 o'clock and the driver was the one saying, “We gotta get out of here at 7:00.” So, then they asked me, “Well, can we just stick everything in the garage?” It was back with cold weather and I knew we're going to have freezing weather. I said, “No. I don't want nice furniture sitting in the garage where it's gonna get below zero temperatures or whatever.”

The garage went right into the basement so I just said, “Hey, if you wouldn't mind just going through the garage and just putting everything right in the basement in that first room.” They were fine with that. I felt like we would have been done a lot quicker if the guy driving the truck could also move. He was a pretty big guy. Obviously, that was the way they do it because the other two guys did not seem bothered by it. But they were working their tails off. So, I gave those two guys a really big tip.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Right shortly before the freeze in February, I was planning on moving. I had to be out by February 28th. I have a newborn. We’re a newlywed couple, I'm an ER nurse and with the freezing, the newborn and the moving, things were very stressful. But we definitely got stripes on our newlywed sleeves. I never utilized a moving service. I had always done it myself. I didn't wanna hurt myself. I gotta go to work, et cetera, and due to the time constraints, I needed professionals. So, I just googled moving assistance in the area. I spoke to one. They were a little bit pricey. Then, I looked up and found Bellhop. From what I could gather, it was kind of a group of younger kids looking to make a buck, and it seemed like a pretty professional thing. They called me back. I had to cancel. They called code gray in my hospital, so I had to stay at the hospital. Moving got canceled, but Bellhop was in touch with me quite frequently.

Eventually, after the freeze, after the code gray was rescinded, Josh got back with me. He and his crew came out on the day of the move and started. They took direction. Not everything was packed, but I just needed the big stuff. Josh and his two colleagues did a great job. They were very hospitable and very professional going into people's homes. I used to do home health care when I first started out nursing. Going into people's home for anything is a very intimate interaction. You kinda have your professional and your social wits about you especially when you're in somebody's home. They were exemplary. They got the job done, loaded the truck, took it to my new residence, and unloaded it.

I'm extremely happy and satisfied with the services that was provided by Bellhop. The individuals that came out to my home and into my home seemed very reputable. They didn't complain. They worked as a team very well. I wasn't doing a whole lot of moving, but I was listening to their communication and how they were talking. Josh kind of seemed to be the leader. He had great leadership skills. They had great team dynamics, good communication skills, very professional attitudes, and they were very diligent, hardworking individuals. If I ever move again, I will definitely use Bellhop.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2021

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY -- I had a deplorable experience with Bellhop. They are using the old bait and switch… Estimate 4hrs at an attractive price, use an inexperienced team thereby doubling the time and cost at the risk of your pockets and your belongings. I used the company on October 16th 2021 to move 45 seconds away (literally) from one apartment building in the same complex to another. I was quoted 3 – 4 hrs based on the furniture and belongings. It took the team, 4 hours to load up the truck from the first location.

What should have been a 3 maybe 4 hour move, turned into an 8 hour move resulting in thousands of dollars worth of damage: a broken 55” TV, broken bed frame, broken fireplace TV stand, severely damaged bedroom suite, damaged dining room table, scratched and deeply chipped bookcase, broken lamp. Additionally, the items that had to be disassembled and reassembled at the new location were not reassembled correctly… HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Do not use this company.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

Bellhop seemed more flexible with more hours and workers than other companies. They seemed like a bigger business. And I had already contacted some local businesses that were limited. That might have even been in June. And I was moving July 29, so I wanted to make sure I had a good window. The person on the phone was awesome. I talked to different people. The first time, I was given one quote. And the second time, I was given a different price based on the same move. So, I called back, and the second coordinator honored what the first coordinator told me, which was good. They changed the price back.

The crew was awesome. They were so kind. It specializes in college students and young people. The problem was I called customer service and left some information. It was not the crew’s fault. They were lovely. But that day, they had another move scheduled before mine, and it was supposed to take two hours. It would be my move that was scheduled for five hours. And that two-hour move before mine ended up being 10 hours according to the crew. Instead of coming at the original time of 2:00, they came at 6:30, and they worked until 11:30. Their arms and legs were shaking. They were worn out.

I felt grateful for all their effort. They did great. They continued to work hard and they did not complain. It was 100 degrees that day in Missouri. I tried to give them lots of icies and freezer pops. But I could tell that they were sloppier than they would have been because their bodies were tired. And it made me upset with the company. They should have rescheduled the move once it became so much later. I would have been happy to reschedule. I know that a lot of people can't do that. But if it meant a smoother move, I would have been great.

It started raining at 9:30. So, if I had movers at 2:00, and I was scheduled for five hours, we would have been done at 7:00 and it would have still been light outside. Instead, we were in the rain from 9:30 to 11:30. And all my boxes and furniture got wet. They wrapped it and worked hard, but it was awful. Just a bad luck day. I tried to make this so clear to Bellhop in my feedback. Because it was negative that the movers worked hard, and they were excellent. I wish I would have been their only move that day.

Just one thing, my couch, was damaged. It was a full-sized couch that I wanted to go down to the basement because my kids and I were getting a new one for the living room. And it was one of the last things because it was the biggest and heaviest item. It’s a sofa sleeper. It was one of the last things that the movers moved in because it was one of the first things put in the truck. So, by the time they got it through a basement door, they had to remove the door and it was narrower than I would have wanted. I felt bad for them. I had been so careful with the couch with my kids all these years, and it’s dilapidated now. I’m so sad about it, I haven’t even unwrapped it. Because it bums me out to look at it. It was raining, and they were more muddy than they would have been. The couch was damp and it picked up dirt as they got it down. And it's not their fault that it was a tight fit. The overall experience was bad. But how much do I blame the rain versus the other move? I blame the other move way more.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

The reps were courteous and our interactions were to the point and smooth. We ended up having to change around the time a bit, and they were more than happy to do that for us. Everything was perfect and we didn't have to do much at all. The crew were gentlemen and they were very nice.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

The team of three was good at what they did and they executed the plan quickly. Bellhop quickly looked at the things that needed to be moved and they crafted a plan. The loading and unloading happened fast. We moved from a single BHK to a new home. The move was over a distance of 16 miles. And it took them three hours to complete, which was nominal. So, it was a really good move. I contacted Bellhop two weeks before my move. So maybe I ended up on the higher side, the per hour rate. But I didn't mind at the time. I referred some friends of mine who said they planned their moves well ahead and they said they were able to get a good rate.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

My brother told me to use Bellhop so I did and they were great. They took good care of what they moved. I asked them to move something out of the house when they moved stuff in, and they did a great job doing that. They were kind. However, we didn't like the fact that the driver did nothing. He literally drives the truck and that’s it. You would think he would be a third hand to help, but he didn’t. That was one thing we were surprised at. Also, the truck was 25 minutes late so the two men that moved the furniture were there but the truck was not. We signed out half-hour less because we were waiting for the truck to come. I got overcharged, but they fixed that.

Bellhop Company Information