4.7/5 (238 ratings)

About Kohler Walk-In Bath

Kohler manufactures and sells walk-in baths and other bathroom products. The company uses its own patented technology on its air-massage jets and heated surfaces. Kohler also offers a variety of wall designs to customize your tub to your bathroom decor. If you’re interested, reach out for a free in-home consultation and quote.

Pros

• Various wall design options
    • One-day installations
    • Custom fits available
    • 3-inch step-in height

Cons

• Pricey upgrades
    • Pricing not available online

Bottom Line

Kohler's walk-in tubs feature patented technology to keep you safe and comfortable, like BubbleMassage air jets and Bask heated surfaces. It can be expensive, but it offers many customizations.

Top Kohler Walk-In Bath Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The purchase process at Kohler was thoroughly enjoyable. I didn't think that the installers could do as good as they did. ... They answered all my questions. The walk-in tub adds ...

Verified

I love Kohler products. They last and they're 110% top quality. The reps of Kohler were wonderful. ... I love all the features of my walk-in tub. I have trouble with my back and I...

Information from Kohler on the coronavirus (COVID-19)

If you are uncomfortable with scheduling an in-home quote appointment, you can set up a virtual quote appointment in many markets. During in-home visits, Kohler employees follow special safety guidelines, including using hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes throughout the process.

Kohler walk-in bath features

If you have difficulty bathing or are looking to get the spa experience in the comfort of your home, Kohler can help. Its walk-in tubs offer increased comfort, safety and convenience versus traditional tubs.

Kohler’s comfort technologies include BubbleMassage air jets to help soothe your muscles and Bask heated surfaces to help you relax in and around the tub. Kohler also provides a hand-held showerhead with settings that are strong enough to get you clean but gentle on sensitive skin.

While Kohler bathtubs are deep enough for immersion, Kohler’s fast-drain technology keeps things moving. Additionally, all Kohler walk-in bathtubs include the company’s 3-inch threshold entries, non-slip surfaces to prevent trips and falls, and handrails to keep you steady.

Kohler walk-in tub installation

Kohler offers professional installation for its walk-in tubs, but you’ll need to have an installer check your home first. After inspecting your space, a Kohler walk-in bath installer will provide a quote that includes the cost of the tub and installation. From there, you can set up a time for technicians to install your new walk-in bath.

During their visit, these technicians will remove your previous tub, renovate the space if necessary, install your new tub and show you how it works. Kohler can install a walk-in tub in your current bathtub's footprint in as little as one day.

Kohler walk-in bath cost

Kohler’s walk-in bath prices depend on the model you choose and the amount of construction required for the installation. After you receive your in-home consultation, Kohler gives you a free quote for any costs associated with your walk-in tub, including installation and any additional features you select. This price does not change throughout the process, as Kohler prides itself on its "Price Promise."

To help you afford a walk-in tub, Kohler offers both discounts and financing, depending on your credit history and eligibility. The company also offers a limited lifetime warranty on all the major systems of the tub.

Kohler walk-in bath designs

While many other walk-in tub companies offer customized sizing and features, Kohler also offers exclusive design options, like faucet styles and wall coverings.

Kohler walk-in bath FAQ

How difficult is it to clean a Kohler walk-in bathtub?

No, it shouldn’t be any harder to clean a Kohler tub than a model from any other brand. Kohler recommends using a nonabrasive all-purpose cleaner on the tub and a glass cleaner and a soft sponge or squeegee on the showerhead and faucet. Just make sure you remove products from the tub before you start and rinse off the tub when you’re done.

What type of warranty does Kohler offer for walk-in tubs?

Kohler offers a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects on the major systems of your tub, including the door, showerhead and hydrotherapy systems.

Will a Kohler walk-in tub fit in my bathroom?

If you have a traditional bathtub, a Kohler walk-in bath should fit in your home. The Kohler walk-in bath is designed to fit in the footprint of an existing tub. Custom sizes are available, ranging from 52 to 60 inches long and 28 to 32 inches wide. If you want to be sure, a certified safety specialist can visit your home for a no-cost consultation to determine if a walk-in tub will fit in your bathroom.

How many jets come with a Kohler walk-in bath?

A Kohler walk-in bath comes with up to 10 jets.

Do we recommend Kohler walk-in baths?

If you are looking for a company to guide you through selecting, installing and using a walk-in tub, Kohler can help. With a range of colors, fixtures and design choices available, Kohler's wall designs and customization options can help you find a walk-in tub that matches your unique decor. Quotes include installation costs, so you can know the price of your new tub before you commit and avoid any hidden fees. Should something go wrong, Kohler's warranty program and customer service department are there to make it right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kohler Walk-In Bath?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I've tried a lot of the other cheaper brands but they poop out fast. Kohler doesn't seem to do that. I had them come out and give me an estimate for a step-in tub. The rep was no hard sell at all. He came out fast and was on time. He was very personable, nice and clean. He looked at my area and measured it out. He gave me the outline of how much it would cost and what the process would be for me to think about. Then he gave me an offer to come to their showroom, physically look at the items, and look at the different options. I did that about a week later and signed the contract.

The installation was estimated for three days. They installer would come between 8:00 and 9:00. He came at 8:45. Everything he needed was on the truck. He brought everything in and worked all day the first day. He did the destruction of the existing bath and tile and left at 5:45. He was polite and personable but not Mr. Chatty, which I appreciated. He came exactly on time the next day. Had already pre-setup the city inspector to come look at the plumbing and electrical. That guy didn't come on time, but he eventually showed up and got it all cleared. Everything was 100% good. The installer put the surround and the tub in, did all the final work, and showed me how to use it. He showed me when the final inspection was done, tagged the things that the guy would need to look at so I would know what to do, then left again at about 5:45.

I like that the tub has a shower, the faucets for a tub and a handheld. It has a little seat in it so that if I just want to go in and take a quick shower, I can do that. But if I want to go have a bath, then that's good too. I brought the whole unit because I have a funky shoulder. Every now and then, it gets to hurting and I wanted those jets for that shoulder.

I would 100% recommend Kohler. It's good quality. The hardware is metal rather than plastic. When you go buy hardware, it's usually not metal. There are 2 things that I don't care for though. The area between the tub and the wall is flat. When you use the shower, water stands there. You have to make a concerted effort to move that water into the tub. There aren't any grooves to make sure that that water can drain into the tub. You don't want a lot of standing water there because it's not a good thing. I also wish that there was a designated shower curtain. I'm gonna have to dummy up a shower curtain and cut a regular one down ‘cause the regular one doesn't fit. Sometimes, water gets out on the floor. I want to have a shower curtain that covers the entire open area of the shower.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Hi Louanne, we're thrilled to hear that you had a positive sales and installation experience with our team, as we strive to provide excellent customer service! Thank you for taking the time to leave us this amazing review and for choosing KOHLER!

Get buying tips about Walk-In Bathtubs delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

My husband and I were talking about getting a walk-in tub so we called Kohler's number and got one. The sales guy was a nice young fella. He came to the house and told us all about the tub and the fact that it was American-made. They had their own crew that did just this type of work. He also told us how much the product would cost.

On the day of the installation, the crew had to take out the old shower bath stall. There was a one-piece fiberglass thing and they had to cut all that stuff out. They were as nice as they could be. We had to go somewhere and my neighbor stayed around the house in case they needed something. An installer made a video himself right there in our bathroom of how to work everything and explained everything to us. He then sent that to me and told me if I had any more questions or if I had any problems, to be sure and call. He gave me his personal cellphone number.

He had some paperwork that I needed to sign so he left them. After I looked everything over in the bathroom and it looked okay, I signed the paperwork. I took pictures of it on my phone and I sent it back to him. We had an issue with the walk-in tub blowing the fuses in the receptacles and we didn't know how to fix that. I called the installer and he was really nice. He said if we had any more issues with it after we got it fixed, we were to let him know.

My husband can't walk without a specialized boot on his foot and he has no control over his foot. We thought that this bath would be really good for his leg because of moving the water around his leg. That was why we got it. My husband likes the jets and the whirlpool. It's very comfortable for him and it's not too harsh on his legs. I would recommend Kohler. They were behind schedule trying to get everybody's stuff installed and they gave us a $500 credit because they were swamped. It took a few weeks longer than what they expected to get ours put in. They even gave us a $500 discount.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Hi Deborah, thank you for your review! It's wonderful to hear that you had a positive sales and installation experience. We are thrilled that your KOHLER® Walk-In Bath has provided you with the comfort and safety you deserve. We hope you enjoy your new walk-in bath for years to come. Have a nice day.

Original review: April 16, 2022

The rep, Blair, was absolutely wonderful. I have a very old home from the 1950s, so my big concern is always the plumbing and the electric. I didn't want any new surprises that show up sometimes. He looked and said, "I don't see anything. Obviously, plumbing, electric could be a problem. You may need this. And if you do, it would be an extra fee. But that's the electrician. That's not my call. The electrician will come out and take a look before we have to do any of this." He went through everything, including the financing. He answered all my questions and was very pleasant and not pushy about it at all, which I appreciated. He also showed me the video and we laughed 'cause the guy in the video couldn't tell his left from his right.

I liked the financing. The company Kohler used, I used in the past to do my windows with Andersen, and I got zero percent for a set amount of time. I didn't have to pay any of it till the day before it was due and I can pay the whole thing then if I wanted. I liked that because it enabled me to put the tub in now and enjoy it, not wait till I saved the $19,000 to put it in. When the techs arrived, I asked and they explained everything. The guy said it could take anywhere from one to three days and that they had to rip out the old tub and see what they had to work with. They do one day then come back the next and caulk everything. He said, "The caulking needs to set. You can't use it. We come back the second day and double-check everything." The techs were great. They showed me everything, then I had to wait to use the tub.

I warned the poor electrician when he came, "This is the house from hell. This is electrical wiring from the 1950s." He was like, "Oh, my God." I showed him where we had done plumbing and went around things because I'm on a slab. I have no attic and one has to be really savvy to get this house wired and plumbed. He took the time and listened to me. I said, "The last guy that went in with the plumbing went in through here, across here, and right in the wall over here." He said, "Okay, that may work, let me look over here." He thought about it before he started drilling holes.

Using it is one of those things I do at least once, if not twice, a week because once I get in, I don't want to get out. I love the heated back. I wish it was warmer, but I love the bubblers and the jets, the two different things so I can get a combination and figure out what part of my aching body needs it the most. I have recommended Kohler to lots of people. In fact, my sister-in-law didn't do the walk-in tub, but she did a walk-in shower. She had an old claw tub and needed that.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Sheila, thank you for your review. It is wonderful to hear that you had a positive sales and installation experience with us. Our team strives to be informative, courteous, and efficient to give you the best customer service. We are thrilled that your KOHLER® Walk-In Bath has provided you with the comfort and safety you deserve. The Bask heated bask rest, and the hydrotherapy jets are some of our favorite features too! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and recommending us to others; it is really appreciated. We hope you continue enjoying your walk-in bath for years to come.

Original review: March 6, 2022

I liked the salesman who came out. He was very nice and answered any questions we had. He had the brochures and showed us what it would look like. The installation day was perfect. The guys were super from the moment they walked in the door. They put my mind at ease and did a good job of putting the tub in. It looked nice when it was done. I love the tub so much. I broke my leg two times. A lot of it is metal and it gets stiff all the time. I go in that tub, turn those bubbles on, and it feels so good. However, I got stuck in the tub the second week we had it. When I was done, I went to pull up the handle to get the drain open, and it wouldn't open. I was sitting down there and holding the drain up so the water would go out. I should have sat on the seat before it was all gone. My legs were stuck. We put water back in the tub up to where the seat was so I could get up.

I usually take a bath every other day and it worked. About the third time after that, it wouldn’t open again. I played a little bit with the handle, and it was loose to open and shut. I went down and held the drain open again. The next day, I called Kohler. They sent somebody out the same day. It was Carrie, a really nice guy. He came in and said that some of the stuff needs to be tightened. He was here an hour or two and tightened everything. Then I took a bath that night, it worked fine. I took a bath two days later, and it worked fine too. My husband soaked in the tub one of those days, and it worked fine as well. A week later, the drain wouldn't open again. My husband was getting angry. He told me for $21,000, it should work better than that.

I called Kohler and told them it happened again. Carrie called me 10 minutes later after I got off the phone with this gal. He told me he was gonna look into it and and would get back to me. He got back to me about a half hour later. Some people never call you back but Kohler is wonderful with their customer service. I didn't have to argue with anybody. Carrie told me they were going to replace the tub. We had the original tub put in January 10th and 11th of this year. The seats started having hairline cracks. There were four of them, and they were spidering out. Carrie and Rick came this morning, and they brought a new tub. Now, they’re installing it.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Melody, thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you had a positive sales and installation experience with us. Our team strives to be informative, courteous, and efficient to give you the best customer service. We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced, and we are glad that our team was able to address the issues. Customer satisfaction is our priority. Do not hesitate to contact our customer service team if you have any other concerns about your walk-in bath. To contact our Customer Service team, please call (800) 986-5977 or visit https://www.kohlerwalkinbath.com/contact/service.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Tom gave a good presentation where he had everything out and showed what the fixtures were, and he had a screen that showed us everything. But I wasn't a lover of the price. I paid more for the tub than I did for my truck. I got a lot of payments to make on it, but I’m pleased. My wife loves the tub. When the jets were on medium, it relaxed her legs so much and she had a hard time getting off the seat. At the time, she was in there for over 20 minutes sitting in there with the bubbles. She likes getting a bath.

The installers were supposed to be here on the 11th. They said they might not get here until around 12:00 and the installer showed up at 6:30 that night. He said he was gonna take some pictures and that they'll be back. He was a real nice guy and very neat. I took a picture of the bathroom before I even cleaned anything up right after he left, and you can't tell that they've been doing any construction there. So, I’m pleased with the construction.

The installer started the work the next day. For the next two days, he worked 11 hours a day with some boy. They had to carry this 300-and-some-pound tub up the steps. They knew I had to put in a 50-gallon hot water heater because I only had a 40-gallon. They had to go to Home Depot to get the hot water heater. They took pictures when I signed up for it. Why isn’t the hot water heater in with the tub if they knew I had to get one? The installer spent three hours between wanting to get something to eat and getting the tub from Home Depot. I figured when the installers go to pick up their stuff, everything would be right there, and all they would do was load it up and head to the job site. The installer had to go around finding the parts for it. For a big company, why did the guy have get everything together and put it on his trailer and go two and a half hours away? I pictured a little more put-together situation and it seemed kinda helter-skelter.

He also had to get a piece of pipe to hook up the hot water tank and I took him up to the hardware store because he didn't know where it was at for sure. So, we bought quite a few pieces and what he didn't use, I took back and got my money back. There was only one tightened up bolt that he needed to connect the gas line to the hot water tank. But I didn't mind that. I cut up the boxes and got rid of them and put them in the back of my truck and took them down to where I work and threw them in the dumpster. The only thing that the installer took back was the old tub he took out that was cut up into pieces. He put that on the trailer and strapped it down. But he was great to work with and I didn't mind them being in the house. He was very polite.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Hi Harry, thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any miscommunication and inconvenience you may have experienced during the installation. We are thrilled to hear that you are pleased with your KOHLER® Walk-In Bath and that your wife is enjoying the health and wellness benefits of our Hydrotherapy whirlpool jets. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Have a nice day!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

My experience with Kohler was super. When the salesman came out and did the proposal, he was very positive about the product. He was also professional and answered all of our questions. He had lots of information and samples and spent a lot of time going through everything with us. He was very patient too. I took that as a sign that it was a customer service-oriented kind of deal.

One of the things that I was worried about when we were looking at those tubs was they looked narrow. They are narrower than a regular tub, but the Kohler one looked like it was wider than some of the competitors. It also looked safer, in terms of the ability to grip the side of it as a way of supporting yourself, getting up and down out of that seating area. Some of the other ones that I looked at, you could grab around the edge of it, but it's flimsy, almost like a sharp-edged part of the tub up there. Whereas the Kohler thing looked like it was designed as something to grab on to to support yourself.

The thing that I was blown away with was the skill set of the two guys that installed the tub. They've gotta be these generalists as far as construction goes. They've gotta know plumbing, electrical, and carpentry because every one of those disciplines is involved in getting the tub in there and getting it working. They had to run some electrical lines around my house outside with a conduit and run it inside the garage to get at the electrical boxes in there. Everything was complicated and time-consuming but they got it done. It was challenging to navigate around the small space, get the thing in there and get it installed, but they did an incredible job all the way around.

There were a couple of things that were bad, but I don't fault Kohler for it. One, the installation date was delayed about six months. But that was due to some difficulty in the supply chain in getting some of the wall parts. The other thing is it's ridiculously expensive. It's 22,000 bucks for a tub. But I knew that going in. It was a choice, not a surprise. It's outrageous as far as the cost goes, but in terms of the work and the quality of the product, we couldn't be happier. The tub is a wonderful product. There is also a lifetime guarantee if anything went wrong that sounded a great protection that was built into the deal.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Hi Sean, thank you for your review. We are so glad that you had a positive sales and installation experience with us. Our team strives to be informative, courteous and efficient to give you the best customer service. We are thrilled that your new KOHLER® Walk-In Bath has delivered on its safety and comfort promise. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience, it is appreciated!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

The sales rep was a nice guy. He went through everything. We had three gentlemen here for the installation. They were in and out, and the guy was explaining to me what he was doing. They carried everything out with them and put their little booties on so they wouldn't mess up the floor. When they were taking out the old one, they took a small chunk of drywall out. They patched that and the guy wanted to paint it for me. Unfortunately, we didn't have the same color of paint.

I like the ability to be able to sit down to a heated seat. The only thing that I wish I had is a larger water heater. I got 50 gallons, and it will fill it up to below the handle, then I have to shut the water off and wait for about 15 minutes for the heat back up. If I had a larger water heater, I probably wouldn't have that problem. But I'd recommend it. I've sent pictures of it to others. If I had to have a little concern, it was the supply chain. We started the process in January but didn't get anything until June. Also, the commercial Kohler has is weird. They got two women walking down the street and one woman says if she hadn't gotten this Kohler bath, she would have had to sell her house. That's a little overboard. I’m not gonna sell my house because of a bathtub. Then the other woman says, “I might have to look into that, too.” Then they compliment the guy who’s working so hard but he's just standing out on the lawn squirting along with a hose.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Chuck, thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinions, they mean so much to us. We are so happy to hear that you had a good sales and installation process. However, we are sorry to learn about your water heater issue. Customer satisfaction is our priority. If there’s anything we can do to make your experience better, please reach out to our customer service team at (800) 986-5977 or by visiting https://www.kohlerwalkinbath.com/contact/service. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

Everything was on time. We had to wait for the chair, but that was no big deal. The installation was good. We had to call them once about the caulking. It wasn't sealed tightly. They said it wouldn't cause any damage but I had them refill it.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Lorene, thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinions, they mean so much to us. We are so happy to hear that you had a positive installation experience. However, we are sorry to learn about the caulking issue. Customer satisfaction is our priority. If there’s anything we can do to make your experience better, please reach out to our customer service team at (800) 986-5977 or by visiting https://www.kohlerwalkinbath.com/contact/service. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

Kohler is made in the United States, not in China or someplace else. Everybody from sales on down was very professional and respectful. I'm very pleased. The sales rep was very personable and patient with me as I tried to make a decision. The installers didn't waste any time. However, for the first tub that had been brought out, nobody noticed it had a crack in it. They had to have another one brought out and that took an hour. They had that hour that they didn't have a lot to do. But they spent it cleaning up. They weren't just sitting in the truck listening to the radio.

I like the tub. However, I didn't know that I was going to need a new water heater. When the plumber came out and explained everything to me, he explained that my water heater wasn't big enough, and it was too old to add on a tank booster. He said if I tried to put a tank booster on it, one of the fittings might break, and I'd be without hot water. I didn't make arrangements to get a new hot water heater yet so the tub doesn't quite fill up with hot water because of that.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Hi Rita, thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear you had an overall positive experience with us, and we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced the day of the installation regarding the water heater. If there’s anything we can do to make your experience better, please reach out to our customer service team at (800) 986-5977 or by visiting https://www.kohlerwalkinbath.com/contact/service. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I had several different vendors come here to show and discuss what their tubs were like. But I liked the cleaner design of Kohler. Also, one of my primary reasons for going with Kohler was that I wanted something where it was a complete installation. I didn't want to have to deal with a plumber and an electrician and subcontractors. I wanted to make sure that they use the people to install it correctly. The electrician did a great job. I like the way he used up the boxes in my junction box. He left two spots there where if I decide to put in an electric vehicle, I have available slots there. He was done in no time. The installer, Shawn, did a great job keeping up with cleaning up and making sure everything was perfect. He was like he was working on his own bath.

I like the Jacuzzi, the whirlpool and the air jets. I also like that I can fill it halfway and enjoy a foot massage. The tub is easy to maintain. It's clean. I like that after it drains about 15 minutes later, it cleans out the jets to prevent any mildew. I'm in a 55 and over community, and everyone sort of has the same explanation. They have bathtubs, but who can use them? You can't get in and out of them gracefully. The Kohler walk-in tub opens up a whole new world. A few people have seen mine. They like it. They may not want to put up the money that I did. But at least, it puts a thought in their mind of what to do if they do major renovations in their house.

Kohler Walk-In Bath response

Hi Vincent, thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience! Our team strives to be informative, courteous and efficient to give you the best customer service. We are thrilled that your new KOHLER® Walk-In Bath has delivered on its safety and comfort promise. The soothing jets and easy maintenance are some of our favorite features too!

Kohler Walk-In Bath Company Information