Compare Bathroom Remodeling Company Reviews
Bathroom remodeling contractors can repair problems, install new fittings and fixtures, improve access and functionality and revamp a bathroom's appearance. Bathroom remodeling helps homeowners increase the value of their homes while addressing and fixing major bathroom challenges.
The bathroom remodeling process can be extensive, often involving electrical and plumbing work, as well as cosmetic changes. Therefore, careful research should occur before selecting a contractor. It is important to work with a remodeler who will stay on budget and work efficiently to meet your timeline, especially if there’s only one bathroom in the house.
Top 10 Best Rated Bathroom Remodeling Companies
|Read 10447 Reviews|
HomeAdvisor started in 1998 under the name ServiceMagic, Inc. It rebranded to HomeAdvisor in 2012. Today they connect millions of customers with local contractors across the United States.
|Read 2824 Reviews|
Founded in 1984, Bath Fitter makes it easy for homeowners and commercial properties to update their old and worn bathtubs. Bath Fitter manufactures and installs custom acrylic bathtubs that fit snugly over existing tub surfaces.
|Read 107 Reviews|
Bath Planet manufactures baths, walk-in tubs and showers using highly durable acrylic. They also offer a program where experts measure your bathroom and fit it for a tub, shower and accessories for a one-day remodel.
|Read 71 Reviews|
Luxury Bath Technologies offers homeowners easier and faster bathroom remodeling services. In as little as one day, Luxury Bath Technologies is able to install and complete your new bathroom during a hassle-free process.
|Read 609 Reviews|
Founded in 1979, Re-Bath is one of the world's leading bathroom remodeling specialists. Headquartered in Arizona, the company has over 200 franchise locations, and partners with dozens of national bathroom product vendors.
|Read 1390 Reviews|
Granite Transformations is a global, full-service home and business remodeling company. It has production facilities in the United States and over 50 countries.
|Read 24 Reviews|
Thumbtack was established in 2009. It connects customers with qualified, local professionals who offer a wide range of services from home contractors to dog trainers.
|Read Expert Review||Be the first one to rate this company|
One Week Bath is a bathroom remodeling company serving homeowners in southern California. The company saves the homeowner any hassle by bringing its showroom to the client, using quality materials and no sub-contractors.
|Read Expert Review||Be the first one to rate this company|
Jackson Design and Remodeling is a San Diego-based remodeling agency.. The company combines design and construction operations under one roof, leading to quick, seamless jobs.
|Read Expert Review||Be the first one to rate this company|
John Moore Services is a Houston company specializing in residential plumbing, heating and electrical. Founded in 1965, the company has grown from a one-man operation into a large team of hand-picked professionals.
Home Improvement Contributing Editor
Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.
What features matter most?
Contractor pricing varies widely depending on the type and complexity of the bath-remodeling project. Budgets are also impacted by complications, changing orders and increases in project scope, so consumers need to completely understand pricing before any work begins.
- Project scope: The project scope covers exactly what work the remodeling contractor handles and does not include anything falling outside that scope. It should describe in detail precisely which materials will be used and what work will be done.
- Subcontractors: A bath remodeler often works with subcontractors—such as electricians, plumbers and tile setters—who can impact the overall cost and timeline of the project.
- Compare quotes: Bathroom remodeling projects vary in costs, so consumers should compare quotes from a minimum of three contractors.
Bathroom remodelers work on specific project deadlines, but their work speed is impacted by several factors.
- Work hours: Consumers need to confirm the daily working hours for the bath remodeler to ensure they're compatible with the consumer's schedule.
- Milestones: The bathroom remodel needs to hit progress milestones so that the contractor stays on track for completion. The contractor typically sets these milestones.
- Reliability: During the remodeling process, the homeowners won’t be able to use the bathroom. The consumer needs a reliable contractor to finish the job within a reasonable timeframe.
A thorough, clearly written contract keeps the contractor and homeowner on the same page with a bathroom remodeling project. The contract will help avoid problems, misunderstandings and overlooked details.
- Remodeling work: The consumer and contractor define all work required for the bathroom remodeling project, the materials needed, the design style, paint colors, cabinetry, faucets and many other details.
- Resolution methods: The contract defines recourse the consumer can take if a dispute occurs with the contractor. The resolution methods may include contact information for upper management, discounts on missed timelines and mediation.
Bathroom remodelers have different levels of expertise. General contractors and specialty contractors provide consumers with different levels of service.
- General contractors: These bathroom remodelers have general knowledge of, and the many skills required for, bathroom remodeling. They typically manage the project from start to finish, and hire and supervise all subcontractors.
- Specialty contractors: This type of bathroom remodeling service has specialized contractors on hand for electrical, plumbing and other specialties. Consumers get an all-in-one service instead of relying on subcontractors.
Most bathroom remodeling services can create any style of new bathroom, but some specialize in certain distinct styles. For example, some contractors might focus on modern designs, while others are experts on historical restorations.
- Designers: If consumers are looking for a specific style or custom look, they should work with a bathroom designer.
- Interior decorators: Some contractors have in-house interior decorators, or hire them as subcontractors to match the consumer's preferred bathroom style.
Most states require licensing for bath-remodeling general contractors, subcontractors, designers and other specialists. Avoid hiring unlicensed contractors.
- State required: Consumers need to confirm the contractor has a license if the state requires it. Some states have optional licenses, which can set a bathroom remodeler apart from other companies.
- Additional certifications: Some bathroom remodelers pursue additional certifications in specialty fields such as interior decorating or plumbing.
Bathroom remodelers carry commercial or contractor insurance to cover any accidents and problems that may occur during the remodeling project.
- Homeowner's insurance protection: Homeowners should check with their insurance carriers to see if their property is covered while the bathroom is being renovated. Whether it's coverage of any property moved out of the room being modeled to coverage of any lasting property damage, the homeowners should review their policies as well as the contracts they sign.
- Contractor coverage: Most contractors carry liability insurance--in fact, some states require it. Homeowners should be able to review these policies before they sign a contract.
- Bonded: Though different from insurance, most licensed contractors are also bonded, meaning that they are legally bound to the work they agreed to do. A bond acts as a sort of insurance to make sure all agreed work is completed on time. Homeowners should make sure their contractor is bonded in case there are disputes with the contractor's progress.
To avoid any mistakes or misunderstandings, the consumer and contractor must stay in communication throughout the duration of the remodeling project.
- Availability: Consumers should look for bathroom remodeling services that are easy to reach—especially after normal working hours—so changes and problems can be quickly addressed.
- Contact options: Phone contact is not usually the best way to reach contractors. Having a variety of convenient communication channels, such as email or text, ensures the contractor can be reached when necessary.
What are different types of bathroom remodels?
Minor cosmetic upgrades enhance and update the look of a bath without making any major, expensive changes. Cosmetic improvements include new light fixtures, wall paint, faucets, showerhead and cabinet knobs and pulls.
Major cosmetic bath remodeling projects address the same issues as a minor project, but also include new flooring, wall tile and sinks.
This type of bathroom remodeling project addresses problems with the current bathroom, fixing problems such as leaky sinks, slow-draining bathtubs, running toilets and cracked floor tiles.
Remodel current bathroom
A complete remodeling replaces all existing surfaces, cabinetry, and fittings but typically leaves in place large fixtures, such as the toilet and tub.
Ground-up bathroom remodel
When total transformation is required, choose a ground-up approach. The entire bathroom is gutted and rebuilt from scratch. In some cases, this includes removing walls to enlarge the bathroom.
Who's it for?
A bathroom remodel allows long-term homeowners to upgrade a current bathroom to meet all of their needs or to create a brand-new bathroom to increase the home's functionality.
An updated bathroom can increase the value of the home. If a short-term homeowner wants to flip the house, a newly-remodeled bath will make the home more attractive to prospective buyers.
Competitive rental markets require homes that stand out in a crowd. An upgraded bathroom can be the difference between an income-generating property and one that sits vacant.
Real estate investors
A remodeled bathroom provides a valuable way to improve the value of the house for real-estate investors who have no intention of living in the home, but want to increase the home’s value.
What does the expert have to say?
Bath Fitter was founded in 1984 in Montreal. It focuses on easy-to-install custom bathtub and shower liners for homes. This bathroom remodeling company has hundreds of locations across the United States and Canada.
- Acrylic bathtub liners: Bath Fitter sells and installs durable acrylic liners that fit precisely over existing bathtubs and showers. With this approach, consumers eliminate the expense and mess of tearing out the tub or shower enclosure.
- Easy installation: The installation process is quick since the bathtub and shower don’t have to be removed. The company can also convert a combination tub/shower into a spacious shower-only unit.
- In-home consultations: Experienced bath-remodeling contractors meet with consumers to inspect the existing tub or shower and explain how the Bath Fitter solution works.
- Customized solutions: Bath Fitter customizes solutions for its customers so their selection fits their existing bathroom perfectly.
- Matching accessories: Bath Fitter has bathroom hardware and fixtures designed to perfectly match their bathroom liners. Consumers can choose from a wide range of faucets, shower rods, towel holders and other bathroom accessories complement the custom liners.
- Best for: Bath Fitter is best for homeowners, landlords and real estate investors who want to improve the look and performance of their bathrooms.
Founded in 1982, Re-Bath is a top bath-remodeling provider with franchises located throughout the United States and Canada. The company specializes in acrylic tub liners and operates out of a 165,000 sq. ft. facility in Tempe, Ariz. To date, it has remodeled over a million bathrooms.
- Variety: The company focuses primarily on bathtub liners that fit over existing tubs, but it also does partial and full bath remodels, as well as install walk-in tubs, shower walls and pans, shower doors, bath vanities, countertops and flooring.
- Certifications: Re-Bath is ADA compliant and industry certified. And the company offers free bath-design consultation services.
- Safety features: The products and services offered by Re-Bath Safety Solutions are selected to create the safest bath possible, including protection from slipping, scalding and electric shock.
- Best for: Re-Bath is best for individuals with limited mobility, senior citizens, people who want to consider aging-in-place features and those who have difficulty getting into and out of standard tubs.
Bath Planet was founded in 1999 to meet customers’ remodeling demands. With a team of dedicated design consultants, consumers can find the right project and then hire a team to put it all together with expert installation service.
- Design Studio page: Consumers can get an idea of how they want to remodel their bathrooms and get a digital demo through Bath Planet’s Design Studio page. Consumers choose the style and fixtures that match their bathrooms to see what a remodel may look like without going to the store.
- Free in-home consultation and one-day remodel: Bath Planet’s team of remodelers evaluate a consumer’s bathroom through careful measurements with a free in-home bathroom remodeling consultation. Frontloading this process allows many projects to be completed in one day.
- Specials: Bath Planet has several listed specials that can help consumers to save money on Bath Planet’s services. Specials are subject to change.
- Online galleries: Bath Planet’s before-and-after galleries showcase some of their work to help give consumers ideas for their own remodeling projects.
- Bath Planet blog: Consumers considering bathroom remodeling can follow Bath Planet’s blog. The blog contains articles about bathroom remodeling trends, new products and renovation tips.
- Best for: Bath Planet is best for consumers looking for bathroom remodeling solutions but who need help forming ideas and getting the work done.
As its name implies, One Week Bath provides fast remodeling services that promise to complete a full-bath remodel in just one week. The company was founded in 2000 and serves southern California.
- No subcontractors: One Week Bath is an all-inclusive, design-build firm with in-house bath-remodeling specialists. They don't hire subcontractors, which helps streamline and simplify the project.
- One week remodels: With over 16 years of experience, One Week Bath has an efficient remodeling process that starts on time, proceeds smoothly, stays on budget, and finishes within one week. The timeline is discussed before work begins so the homeowner knows exactly what to expect.
- Completely custom work: One Week Bath creates custom bathrooms without using liners or other non-custom supplies. They use durable and well-known brands designed to withstand the rigors of household bathrooms.
- All-inclusive prices: One Week Bath includes all costs in its written quote. This price includes everything from materials and labor to the cost of all building permits.
- Fully involved homeowners: An in-house bathroom designer involves homeowners in every step of the design process to create a dream bathroom. The company also offers universal design services for homeowners with special needs.
- Best for: One Week Bath is best for real estate investors and long-term homeowners who want a fast, high-quality bathroom renovation.
Jackson Design and Remodeling, based in San Diego, was founded in 1989 by an experienced, licensed general contractor. The company has worked with over 2,000 clients and has been recognized with several local and national awards.
- Unique designs: Jackson Design and Remodeling focuses on cutting-edge bathroom designs that are custom-built, unique and innovative.
- One team: Homeowners work with a single design-build team throughout the entire remodeling process. All work is done in-house; no subcontractors are used.
- Streamlined communication: Jackson Design and Remodeling makes it easy to keep in touch with the bath-remodeling team so there's no chance for miscommunication or major problems.
- Design and build process: Jackson Design and Remodeling handles the entire remodeling process from design to execution to the finishing touches. As a result, the work goes smoothly with fewer worries for the homeowners.
- Green building practices: Consumers can incorporate environmentally friendly and sustainable construction practices into their bathroom remodeling with Jackson Design and Remodeling.
- Best for: Jackson Design and Remodeling is best for long-term homeowners and landlords who want unique, custom-designed bathrooms.
Founded in 1965, John Moore Services is a respected plumbing air-conditioning, and electrical contracting firm, serving the greater Houston area. It has grown into a full-service company that also offers expert home-remodeling work, including custom-built bathrooms and the installation of new showers, tubs, vanities, fixtures and finishes.
- Repair expertise: John Moore Services has over 50 years of bathroom and plumbing repair experience. This highly experienced provider can quickly identify and resolve any bath problem fast and professionally.
- In-house training: Contractors working with this company go through an extensive in-house training program designed to produce top-quality professionals.
- Easy booking process: Consumers can contact the company either online or by phone to request information or book a consultation.
- Selected savings: The company’s website offers downloadable coupons for significant savings on many remodeling services.
- One-stop option: John Moore Services has electricians, plumbers and other specialists available if a bathroom remodel requires complex work.
- Best for: John Moore Services is best for short-term homeowners, long-term homeowners and landlords who need a reliable and experienced bathroom repair contractor.
Innovate Building Solutions, based in Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio, has nine companies under its umbrella. With over 28 years of experience, this company serviced more than 150,000 customers. Its bath-remodeling division provides start-to-finish, all-inclusive services focused on a customer-friendly experience.
- Extensive customer resources: Innovate Building Solutions offers a wide range of resources to help homeowners understand and choose the best options for their bath remodeling project. And personal attention and professional guidance help homeowners throughout the process.
- High-quality products: This bathroom remodeling and home services company uses only high-quality products. It specializes in modern and contemporary designs but happily accommodates a wide range of style preferences.
- Accessible designs: Innovate Building Solutions works with consumers with various needs, including those who need custom designs to create a more accessible and usable bathroom.
- Accurate estimates: The company's project scope is clearly defined at the start of the project so there are no hidden surprises for the homeowners.
- Constant communication: Innovate Building Solutions focuses on keeping homeowners in the communication loop throughout the entire design and bathroom remodeling process.
- Best for: Innovate Building Solutions is best for long-term homeowners, short-term homeowners, real estate investors and landlords who want an all-inclusive bathroom remodeling service.
Thumbtack is a website that connects homeowners with service providers in their local area. This online company offers more than 200,000 active professionals available in all 50 U.S. states.
Information in this guide is general in nature and is intended for informational purposes only; it is not legal, health, investment or tax advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from its use.