1.28/5
Based on 111 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

Last updated: April 12, 2018

131 Mayflower Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 12, 2018

I can’t say enough great things about this company!!! We just did a big move from Florida to Boston and from beginning to end, estimate to moving in, it was an incredible experience. Moving is one of the most stressful things you can do in your life. This company made the process SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE!!! We paid for the packing to be done for us. If you can swing that, pay for it!!

I also HIGHLY recommend getting full coverage insurance. We had a few things damaged (which we kind of expected for such a far move) and the claims process was seamless!!! If you don’t get the full coverage insurance, don’t expect to get a lot for your damaged goods. This is explained to you DURING the estimate process, so if you don’t pay for it, don’t complain about it!!!

Every email I sent and phone call I made was returned in a very timely fashion. I had tons of questions and everything was answered!! I will be recommending this company to everyone I know!! Side note - this company was recommended to me by my parents who, while my dad was still in the Army (24 years), when they had the CHOICE of which moving company to use, they chose Mayflower. I’m so happy with this company and would absolutely use them again without hesitation!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

We didn't move with Mayflower, and only had them come out for an estimate. That was enough. My husband and I have over 20 moves and several things set off alarms with this company. First, my husband set a date and time a week in advance. The day of the meeting and at the exact moment of the set time, a secretary called to confirm the next day, an hour later, like we had made a mistake.

The next day, the rep was 45 mins late. Secondly, the rep insisted we didn't need their insurance on our items if they were going into storage. NO MOVING COMPANY SHOULD EVER NOT BACK THEIR WORK. Third, the rep wanted specific information on our new TV, like specs and items not related to picking it up and moving it. Fourth, the rep was indifferent through the walk-through until he saw our gun safe. He immediately became excited and stated they ship guns. He was too giddy for his previous lack of indifference (especially if you insist on no insurance for the move). Lastly, he became EXTREMELY offended when I asked insisted I would want insurance. Trust me when I say I have enough experience moving to know when someone is sizing up my household goods for more than just moving them. This guy was checking off his Christmas list. TRUST YOUR GUT. Get multiple quotes and don't get railroaded because a rep is a bully.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: March 26, 2018

I was drove off the road by a semi license plate ** that refused to get over while I was coming onto the merge lane... Flattened my tire and I had to use a spare... Called the number on the truck to complain and wasn’t even expecting anything. Just wanted to tell the drivers to be more cautious... Got some nonchalant guy saying he “doesn't see the problem” so I told him it is okay because I will have my lawyer give them a call back.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We were duped by a big name, and should have checked consumer reviews before using Mayflower Moving. They are a very dishonest and disorganized company. Our move was from CA to FL and we paid almost $10,400 to them. We literally had a few hundred boxes, and when the movers arrived to our Florida address, we were told that the crew was in a hurry and said that it would take a very long time to check off each box as it was brought in. The crew lead assured my husband that everything was on the truck and pressured him to check the box that he "waived" his right to check everything individually.

BIG MISTAKE!!! At one point, the crew brought in a mattress that was not ours; we should have known then that we were in trouble. As soon as they left, we noticed our large flat screen TV was missing in addition to 2 huge wardrobe boxes; then a 70 lb clear plastic container labeled "RECORD ALBUMS/HEAVY FRAGILE" was nowhere to be found. This carton in particular was very valuable and contained collectible priceless albums... Interesting that it would be "missing."

My husband proceeded to call, then text the crew lead who admitted that it was "100 percent his fault, and he had left things in the truck by mistake." Never got the vinyl records back and missing other items as well. Filed a claim, which Mayflower took no time to deny because, we had signed the "waiver." Also, if you go through an arbitrator, who Mayflower rep referred us to (obviously on their side), the decision is binding, so best to contact a lawyer if your lost or damaged possessions are worth it. ADVICE: DO NOT USE MAYFLOWER, AND IF YOU DO, MAKE SURE TO CHECK THAT EVERY BOX AND PIECE OF FURNITURE IS DELIVERED.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Mayflower came to pick up our household goods. We were to meet in Boone NC in 5 days. First driver called to say he had broken down and would be there 2 days later. When Chaz showed up he was alone. He proceeded to pull furniture off truck, couches, tables etc. It was nearly dark when he arrived at storage unit so we had no idea what was on checkoff sheet. He used my grandmother’s table to stand on and then drag that off. After going through things in daylight we are seeing ruined tables, missing things, and things that are not ours. Mayflower sent $200 and will not return calls. In other words, "Too bad," is Mayflower's response!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

They copied my name on the bottom of all of the sheets of paper telling that I had damage before they got their ugly hands on my possessions. My furniture looked great before they took it to move it for $6,000. They broke all of my lampshades. They opened almost all of my boxes and said they repacked them. I had them packed tight. I feel violated by them looking through my boxes. Then they laid my dresser on its side. The drawers inside swung inside... and stripped the screws out of the wood that drawer is guided on. They forgot evidently to put a picture holder back in a box they opened. They threw it in the bottom drawer of my dresser. Then it became lodged between both drawers on the bottom.

They said there was damage on things that didn't have damage. They said I had damage on a desk. I don't own a desk. I hope KARMA gets all of them. They treated my possessions like crap... and then backed themselves up so I believe I can't do anything. I will call the legislators or someone who can help me. I am sad I had to give them one star.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I had very bad experience of Mayflower in long distance move from CA, in spite of having lower quotes from other vendors I trusted Mayflower just coz I thought quality comes with the price & sales guy really convinced me that my goods are absolutely in safe hands. But to my shock they are nowhere near quality when it comes to handling & delivering your important household items. Moreover the delivery guys were not having proper delivery address. They damaged my TV in the move & flatly denied the claim even after providing all the proofs. Moreover they don't even show any remorse & the numerous follow up calls goes in vain. I can write full 2/3 page review on my experience with Mayflower but don't want to give myself more headache by remembering & thinking about all the conversations with them. Just want to tell everyone to stay away as far as possible from this company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I paid $8k for a cross country move. It took forever to get email responses to questions. The movers showed up almost 6 hours late to pack my stuff. Then it was delivered on the very last day of my delivery window. The movers on this end said it was the worst packed crates they’d ever seen. I experienced $2k in damages to an executive desk, lamps, and fire pit. I filed a claim form right away and had to follow up repeatedly to get resolution. Over a month later, after I sent four followup emails, my claim was finally assigned to Mayflower for someone local to come look at the damaged goods.

Note - over 30 days after I first sent it in. Horrible service. Terrible followup. I don’t know if they’re too busy or it’s a cultural issue - but don’t use this company unless you want to add persistent followup and poor communication to your agenda to manage in addition to relocating across the country. Please note-I NEVER write bad reviews for companies. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt and hope they do their jobs. I’m also posting publicly but I’m tired of following up and have as much as written off my damaged goods. Book somewhere else. Don’t use them.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Had to file a damage claim with our most recent move using Mayflower-IMS Relocation in Carrollton, TX. Currently not able to resolve any issues with this company after repeatedly furnishing all of the information that they have requested.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

On the day of my move, the team took 15 minute cigarette breaks every hour and 45 minutes. The move was taking longer than planned and the team leader threw a tantrum with me about the timing and how the salesperson screwed up. He said that if the move was completed before dark, he would drive away with my stuff still in the truck. I called to complain and the office assured me it would be taken care of by sending two more people to help unpack the truck. The team leader threw a tantrum again when a ladder was pointed out that needed to go on the truck.

He again threatened me that my stuff was going to get broken and it wouldn't be his fault. We emptied our tractor of gas as we were told to prevent a fire hazard and they put gas back into it so they wouldn't have to push it onto the truck. They were suppose to cover my banister and wood floors but only protected some of the floors. Two scratches over 8" each were made in the wood floors and we had to settle with the buyers at closing.

Once we got to the house to unpack the extra guys were there and it became a game of how fast they could get everything into my house. No care was given for my belongings. A leather loveseat that wasn't protected was pushed across a cement sidewalk and slate floor, a round outdoor table was rolled across the cement driveway, a container top popped off and photographs were on the ground, I found a dirty footprint on my wood furniture, boxes clearly marked fragile had heavy boxes put on top of them and someone ran something into my brand new dryer breaking the entire control panel. Many other things were broken or scratched.

When my move coordinator contacted me the next day, I let her know what happened and how unhappy we were with our experience. We did not get what we paid for and I told her that I shouldn't have to pay any additional charges. No one from management ever called to get more information and try to settle with me. A month later they sent me a bill and I called and had to leave a message. Lina my coordinator sent me an email back instead of calling me back like I requested. Lina told me in the email to call Les. I sent an email saying that Les could call me. It's been another month and still no one has contacted me or will return my calls. Poor service from start to finish. You do not get what you pay for!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Reason: Possible fraud due to unlicensed claims adjuster in North Carolina. Stored my entire household furnishings for nearly 3 years while on mission trips to Central America. Many, many items not delivered and numerous valuable items damaged by Mayflower's moving team. I have gotten the runaround for nearly a year and have received miscommunications from Mayflower as well as misinterpretations of legal requests from my attorney and myself. My opinion, DO NOT USE MAYFLOWER RAY MOVING AND STORAGE in Greensboro, NC.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Regarding Moving - Had very very bad experience with this company at Quote level itself. They gave us appointment date for Quote and never showed up and when called they just say "we don't have any availability" and just say sorry after one week and we have been waiting for all one week and they don't even bother to apologize and just say ignored. Worst company ever seen.

Original review: July 18, 2017

We are a military family and it was time to move for us. The military chose this company. It started out great they did the walk through and scheduled a pack day (June 13th). The packers were very nice and got things done in a good amount of time. We were moving from Maryland to Washington state. We knew we would more than likely beat our stuff here. We arrived in Washington on June 21st so we contacted the company Mayflower/Freeway Van Lines. They told us they had it scheduled to arrive July 3rd. We thought that was kinda late but what could we do.

So July 3rd rolls around and no delivery. So we call and after them trying to figure out where our stuff was located we find out that it's still on the East coast. They told us it was their busy season and they couldn't find a driver to bring our belongings to us. We have been contacting them every day since then and keep getting the same response. They have offered to pay up to 91 dollars a day but honestly I don't know if I can trust that. So we are still in an empty house with two children and a small dog. We have been told that a driver is scheduled to get it on July 24th but we have been told that before and that driver never showed up for that scheduled day (July 8th). We are at a loss. It's so incredibly frustrating.

Original review: July 12, 2017

So Far not So Good Moving experience with Mayflower. First the good: The local agent was responsive, came out and went through the house efficiently and provided a reasonable estimate on the spot. The packers were very nice and efficient. The loaders were there on time and seemed to do a good job. Now the bad: The furniture was due by today but has not arrived. Once we got through to them they said it was a busy time of year and they had to pay the local delivery agent extra overtime to get a crew together to deliver the furniture two days late. Customer Care: It turns out Mayflower/United Van Lines (they are the same company) is more like a confederation of independent contractors that provide the various services needed for a move but don't necessarily have seamless operating systems. So the local company handles their part but don't have much leverage to get the delivery end moving.

The corporate office seems to function as a higher level escalation path to sort out problems. They are trying, but their explanation, that summer is their busy season and so they can't really predict their performance just doesn't hold water. It's a lot like the airlines. They overbook then are surprised when they have to kick someone off the flight, or in this case they move the furniture but then are surprised when they don't have the capacity to actually deliver it on the receiving end. I suggested that they handle it like the airlines (no, not knock my teeth out and drag me down my front walk) and offer incentives to customers who are earlier in line to see if they are willing to take their delivery a day or two later for a cash rebate in return for allowing us to get our delivery on time. They acted surprised at the suggestion and said they hadn't considered it before. Hummmmmm... 150 years in the moving business and they hadn't considered it???

Makes me wonder about how motivated they really are. Their contract provides only $100/day performance penalty for missing their window, so not much downside liability on their part. Anyway, I rated them a three right now, but it will move down if they don't speed up the delivery or if there are any problems with missing or damaged items. Seems like the general consensus between reviews of the national movers is they are a second tier outfit, with Atlas Moving Systems and Bekins Moving Solutions being better but lots of others in the middle. At this point I'd have to agree that they seem to be tolerable but not great. More to come...

Original review: May 30, 2017

We are extremely dissatisfied with Mayflower. They dropped our refrigerator off the truck and still haven't delivered our elephant sculpture. We keep getting the​ runaround, but no word as to when we'll get it. Naturally we've already paid in full. I REGRET EVER TRUSTING THEM WITH OUR MOVE.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I used Mayflower. They own a lot of subsidiaries and or are owned by other companies, but nevertheless, the forms I filled out said Mayflower on them. When they brought my stuff across country, I then unpacked my boxes and saw that not all the items were there. They told me I had to fill out some form online to submit a claim. Then they replied with a letter telling me that they refuse to pay for the items. They say that they did an investigation and could not find the items. Well why would they be able to find the items if one of their drivers left the door unlocked when they were at a rest stop and some boxes were stolen? Or if perhaps their own crew stole the items.

I had valuable items and they would not pay for them. They insist that "Because they cannot find them" is a good enough reason. I even took it above their heads to their regional director and then finally I get a letter saying I can settle it through arbitration and I have to sign an agreement stating that if I sign the letter and go through arbitration that I will agree to have no recourse and I cannot take them to court. Well I refused to sign that. For all I know, the arbitrators are on their payroll. But anyway; they have insurance to cover losses like this and they refused to use it. I would not recommend Mayflower or any of their sub-contracted entities.

Original review: April 10, 2017

It was Sunday morning April 09, 2017 (Yesterday). It was 8:00 AM and my wife had asked the movers to clear our driveway so we could go to church. Our vehicle wasn't home because I was at my mom's home in route back to our home. I didn't realize my wife had already told them to clear the driveway. When I got home I saw the eighteen wheeler moving truck blocking my driveway and I asked them to move the vehicle from in front of my driveway. The driver told me that my wife had already told them they needed to clear the driveway so we could go to church in an unfriendly manner. The driver took his time to move the truck and then I pulled into my driveway went into my home to take my daughter to choir practice before service was to begin. We are usually running in and out of our home on Sundays because we all have to be at church at different times.

I dropped my daughter at church and returned to my home and the truck was AGAIN parked in front of my driveway. I told the driver that I needed him to keep the truck from being parked in front of my driveway. He then told me that I could leave my vehicle parked in the street or drive through my yard to get in my driveway. I could not believe it!! I had a few choice words with him after that and he told me he wasn't going to move his truck from in front of the driveway. He told me he would call the police on me if I didn't leave him alone!!!! I was totally in disbelief! It seemed like some strange dream. He told me if I touched his truck he would hurt me. I hadn't mentioned anything about touching his truck before he said that.

When the Tulsa police arrived they told him it was against the law to block someone's driveway and that he would have to move his truck. The police told me that if he parked in front of my driveway again, to call them back and they would have it towed. That day we were late for church and my daughter was sad that we didn't get to see her sing that morning. I truly believe that the driver for Mayflower thought that just because we were an ** family that he could do whatever he pleased to us. I would NEVER recommend this moving company to ANYONE! The driver should have knocked on our door and ASKED us if he could block our driveway. We would have told him to give us 30 minutes and he could park there until evening. I'm still shocked at it all. I can't believe a reputable moving company would EVER do something like this.

Original review: April 6, 2017

My experience was OK @ first. The problem came when I had to have my load stored for 4 days on the SD end. I was expecting a REASONABLE storage charge. IT WAS $700!!! My WNY contact told me SD had included a second delivery charge. Although both companies at both ends of my move are aware, no one is making an effort to fix this. Filing with the BBB soon.

Original review: March 13, 2017

We moved from PA to NC. We hired Mayflower moving to take care of our move. They did an ok packing job and were nice enough. They showed up to our new house 2 days early which created a great deal of stress on my wife who was meeting them there. Most of the boxes were labeled "miscellaneous" so my wife had no idea what was in each box. Once we got everything unpacked we realized there were missing items. I filed a claim with Mayflower. After several weeks, we received a letter in the mail stating they are denying the claim because we didn't inventory each item as it came off of the truck. In order to do that, my wife would have had to open each box and inventory it before allowing them to move onto the next item. NEVER HIRE THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I moved to another state, and many items did not make it to my new home. Some could be replaced, although I had to pay for the new items, but some were irreplaceable. One item I am sad about losing is a hand-crafted sewing box that my mother-in-law said would be mine when she died. One mover made rude comments about my possessions. When I returned to my old home after I had moved, I found a large box of my items on my kitchen floor, and another large box in my office. How they could have forgotten to place those boxes in the truck is beyond comprehension. Unfortunately though, they did not contain the precious items I had lost. Incompetent!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

My experience was horrendous, agonizing and still going on, after 14 months. The entire shipment was temporarily "lost" twice. Mayflower subcontracts but poses the artificial facade of being a full moving company. They take no responsibility for their subcontractors, even though the contracts are in the name of Mayflower United. Their insurance payments are ridiculous and you're forced in arbitration or lawsuits. Their arbitration is only on papers as they refuse a face to face hearing. Between missing items and broken items, life with them has been not only a horror but a heartbreaker. The locks bought from them for the pods, were able to be opened by other keys. This is criminal. It is ongoing. It appears to be Mayflower and their subcontractors conspiring and acting together in a blatantly fraudulent activity. All contracts were discussed on phone, fax, and mails. This spell RICO. Racketeering and corruption.

I suggest anyone reading this and has been robbed and burnt by these people, call your local county, city, state and federal district attorney and federal attorney generals to complain. This is the only way to stop this arrogant, blatant and criminal activity. I packed in pods. The pods were moved several times, as the pod company went out of business within one month of taking possession. They were stored in extreme heat, bounced around, unpacked and repacked violently, from the appearance and damage. Not expecting the pods to be unpacked by anyone, but myself, I packed coins, collected over many years. All were missing. They take no responsibility for their actions. They don't offer fair reimbursement for proven damage. The only permanent recourse is to stop people from using this company.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

DO NOT USE MAYFLOWER / UNITED VAN LINES! At best, these people are thieves. At best, they are totally incompetent and don't care about their customers. Too many issues to describe, but the main complaint is that they failed to deliver my brand new Honda lawn mower. Their agent in Columbus, GA (Livingston Transfer) confirmed that they had our mower in their warehouse, but refused to deliver it and our claim was denied by Mayflower because it wasn't lost, but being held hostage by Livingston.

We received a check for other damaged items, but if we cashed it then that would satisfy the claim in total and we could kiss an expensive lawn mower goodbye. We are still struggling with them, but they have stopped responding to our requests for action. If you are in the military "DO NOT USE THESE CLOWNS." They will screw you and there is nothing you can do about it. If you are retired, rest assured that they will steal anything that is easily sold.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

The sales staff that I interfaced with at Mayflower (Richard **) was a great experience. Unfortunately I did incur some damage during the move. I have a solid cherry armoire hand made by the Amish which I paid $12k. When the truck arrived here in FL, I observed that the home belongings were tightly stacked and there was a lot of weight on the top and side of the armoire which broke the door and side panel of the armoire. When I filed a claim with Mayflower (Andrea ** from the claim department) I was sent a check in the amount of $90.00 (this is based on the Mayflower contract that we agreed to that pays $0.60 per pound and the armoire was estimated by Mayflower to be 150 lbs). This contract essentially absolves Mayflower of careless behavior. The bottom line is that I should have paid much more attention to the Mayflower contract and I should have not been so quick to agree to their generic contract clauses. Buyer beware.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I hired Premier Relocations whose Parent Company is Mayflower recently for a cross country move and I am unhappy with the service for a few reasons. If you choose to go with Mayflower know that your glass tables or anything that has a glass top WILL NOT be reassembled, even after they have disassembled them. This was not explained to me prior to the move.

I have 12 glass tables/pieces of furniture including a large glass top entertainment center. Three in particular are glass tables that must be screwed together which the movers refused to reassemble. I hired Mayflower a few years ago and they re-assembled these exact SAME three glass tables with no problem. I cannot understand why this company thinks it is reasonable for a customer to lift very heavy glass, let alone re-assemble something that they did not disassemble in the first place!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

All of those below facts are the absolute, shocking truth about the service we received from Mayflower during our move in September, 2016. I never received a response from the company regarding the issues described below. They sent one email defending that they had delivered within the agreed delivery range. Mayflower has many small franchises throughout the country but try to make you believe that there is a bigger company behind the people doing the work, that there is an 800# with customer service representatives available 7 days a week. Hopefully, you are reading this, before you have signed any contract with one of the Mayflower franchisees. I highly recommend you find another company! If there were a negative rating available, Mayflower absolutely would receive it.

No one contacted us regarding the continued delays in our delivery time. My husband and I took a day off work because no one updated us with the revised arrival time of our driver. Our mover asked us to help find another person to assist with the move because he could not find someone, and my husband had to assist with moving an extremely heavy piece of furniture. The only way we found out what was happening with the delivery was that we initiated the phone calls, and the company provided no customer care or service after 5:00 p.m. on a Friday, even though an 800 number is posted on Mayflower's web site for assistance 7 days a week. The Move Coordinator never responded to any calls/emails the day of the move.

I was told by two company employees (the sales person and person answering the company phone number) that after hours, there is no company support or assistance if issues arise and the customer needs help, which was absolutely true. The only solution that I was given was to call back the following Monday morning (our delivery day was Friday) and to reschedule our move.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

I have moved many times with many companies. I've moved across the nation and internationally, so when I say this was the worst moving experience I've ever had, it means something! We moved from South Carolina to Missouri in March of 2016. We needed to put our things in storage for a few weeks, so we thought we should go with a national company. We chose Mayflower/United, because the companies are well known. That was a mistake! We were told our property would be in a "state of the art" climate controlled facility until it was moved from South Carolina to Missouri. What we weren't told was that there was no guarantee our property would be moved directly from SC to MO. The company that moved us out of our home in SC did a nice job of wrapping our furniture, and were very careful with all of our things. We were feeling pretty good about the move then.

The journey into "moving hell" started almost as soon as we called to request delivery. This is when we found out that Mayflower/United isn't really a moving company at all. They just kind of outsource moves to whatever company has a contract with them. Basically, they had to wait for a truck from some company that just happened to be coming by SC headed west to pick up our things. The company that picked up our things took our property to some place in Ohio and left it in a truck, not a climate controlled facility for three days and nights.

When they finally did go back for the truck, they combined our property with another move, and didn't have room on the truck for all of our property. Since there was no room in the truck, they strapped eight boxes onto the back end of the truck, these are cardboard boxes, and drove from Ohio to the middle of Missouri through rain, snow and slush. When the truck finally arrived, three days late, the boxes were soaked and dripping water. In addition to the fiasco of storing boxes on the outside of the truck the boxes inside the truck were smashed together, turned upside down and generally in a complete mess. Also, the furniture that had been so carefully wrapped in SC had been unwrapped and was scratched, dented and torn.

All of the damage was due to negligence on the part of the movers, but Mayflower said they were only responsible for sixty cents per pound, because we had not taken the overpriced moving insurance they offered. The really disappointing part of all this for us wasn't the paltry settlement check they sent. The most disappointing thing is the attitude of the company representatives. They don't return calls or answer emails, and if you "bother them" enough to get a response it so curt as to be considered rude. They simply don't care that they have destroyed your property!

Original review: July 30, 2016

I could write 20 pages of details - but will just say don't use this company. Moved from Minneapolis to Boulder - missing at least 5 boxes, damaged over 10,000 worth of furniture, boxes they packed were smashed, grossly underestimated cost to get job - tried charging 2x estimate - fraudulent claims department, I could go on and on. This business is corrupt! If I were doing it again would go with so many people's advice - hire a guy to load a pod and ship it - cheaper - less hassle and less damage. Or hire a local company that has good Yelp reviews. Don't trust the estimate and don't sign off on anything - they said because I signed, I was responsible for missing items.

And if you pack you are screwed no matter what - they will claim you didn't pack it right even if it's furniture they wrapped! Crazy! Even pictures of damaged items coming off the truck weren't enough! The stress isn't worth it. If I would have known better my furniture wasn't worth the 6k I was charged - ended up having to buy new anyway due mostly to damage or it not fitting in new space - sell or get rid of all unwanted old items - it will make life much easier. And don't hire Mayflower/United!

Original review: June 15, 2016

I was given two separate phone numbers for the two most highly rated cross-country movers in the U.S.: Mayflower and United Van Lines. The phone numbers actually go to the same office (at least in our area), and I was told that there is ONE estimator for both companies. I'm not sure how that works, but okay so far. I got a voicemail for the estimator and left a message. It took them 3 days to return my call.

When the estimator called, she set an appointment for a week away to come to the house and give me an estimate for packing and moving our entire household cross-country. She called on a Monday; I work Tuesday through Friday until 4, thus we made the appointment for the next Monday. She told me she could probably come out sooner on a late afternoon and would call me back as soon as she checked with her husband about their schedules. That was the last time I heard from anyone. She did not call me back, and she did not show for the appointment. If this is how the number one and number two-rated moving companies conduct their business, count me out.

Original review: June 9, 2016

FRANK IS THE ONLY REASON I AM GIVING THEM 1 STAR (and also because I can't give any less). Frank did a great job in being there when we needed him to answer questions and did an accurate move estimate and when problems occurred with the driver, he was on top of it. But, after Frank, it was downhill from there. The driver we got was garbage. He showed up 2 hours late when the rest of the crew showed up on time. (He also mentioned how he recently got out of the hospital for a concussion which is always reassuring when all of your life items are in his hands).

We showed him EVERYTHING that was going, including a 6x12 foot dog kennel. Midway through, he said our estimator underestimated the load and we were going to be charged more and to work things out with him. Mind you, we were supposed to have a pool table and harley included but we ended up selling. It was around 7 pm when he loaded up pretty much everything except the 6x12 kennel and tried to get out of it and pawn it off to another driver because he wanted to pick up another load the next day (How? I don't know). he said another driver wouldn't be able to come the next day so we'd have to wait until the day after that which was a problem for us since the new owners would have the keys the next day- a problem not for us to solve.

After arguing back and forth with our estimator for an hour, they had to unpack things just to try to fit the kennel in. At that point it was 8 pm and since they were finishing up, my husband, mom and I went to grab dinner. (Later on, we would find out we shouldn't have done that because it gave them an opportunity to steal all of the things they did.)

Our things got "held up" in CA for a couple days so we had to camp out in our new home for an extra 2 days. Once again, the driver shows up 2 hours late. It was impossible to inventory things as they came in because they were bringing 4 boxes in at a time, one piece of furniture after the other. Oh and we had a box of somebody else's shoes which we told them about and was really concerning. It was already 4 pm and he hadn't fed the crew. We got charged for them unpacking 2 mattresses. We had to throw away a bedframe since they couldn't figure out how to put it back together. My husband quickly noticed a box of tools was missing- worth hundreds if not at least a thousand dollars so we called the driver and a week later he dropped it off, the box was in sad shape.

Thank God we got full insurance BUT we did not get everything. Apparently since I signed a paper that the driver didn't explain, we signed off our rights to anything that was missing that they didn't believe. We lost: a poker table (got the chips but they stole the table), my husband's collection of 30 hats, tv-trays, severely dented my washing machine, didn't take the shipping bolts out. Our grill was bent out of shape, 4 BROKEN dining chairs!!!, broken china, broken treadmill, missing *new* luggage (so apparently they tagged all the other luggages except the newest one... hmm).

There were more on the list too is the pathetic part. We did most of the packing so not all the boxes were... Moral of the story: If you are moving, don't go with one of these big companies, try a local mover (I used ML movers one time and they did AMAZING but they were only local. In retrospect, I would have done the move myself or paid ML extra to do my move).

Original review: May 31, 2016

Very disappointed in Mayflower Movers. They damaged my furniture, which they gave us $279 check for... Lost a box that had my husband's gun scope in it but claim they did not lose it and will not find the box or give us the money to replace what was in the box... And we got a box that was not ours and they haven't even offered to get it so that the correct owner will have what they are missing!

Mayflower Company Information