2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5

Get matched with a Moving partner

Mayflower is a moving company that specializes in full-service moves. The company has a network of agents across the country. Mayflower only provides quotes after performing an in-home inspection. Additional services include house cleaning, auto transport and furniture assembly and disassembly.

BOTTOM LINE

Mayflower has a nationwide network of agents that helps with almost every type of move. We wish Mayflower provided a pricing estimate before the in-home inspection, but it does list additional package prices on its website.

PROS
    • Available nationwide
    • Full-service moves
    • Customizable moving packages
    CONS
    • Inconvenient quote process

Top Mayflower Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

I recently moved from Atlanta to New York City and could not have been more pleased. Because I was on a budget, I packed my own boxes and they labeled them accordingly. Nothing was lost, stolen, or otherwise damaged. … I would definitely recommend them and use them again in the future.

Moved my mother from Pa to Fl and from the beginning to the end I can't say enough how perfect everything was. … EVERYTHING was there and not one thing was broken, chipped or otherwise. I'd recommend them highly.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Mayflower?

Mayflower is a moving company with local agents across the United States. Mayflower has experience with local, long-distance and international moves for homes, small businesses, corporations and medical facilities. It includes full-value protection with every move.

Mayflower moving cost

A long-distance move with Mayflower costs an average of around $5,000. Factors like the distance traveled, weight of household items and time of year significantly affect the price.

Unfortunately, Mayflower doesn’t provide rough estimates of costs upfront. Customers only receive an estimate after Mayflower performs an in-home inspection. This is necessary for an accurate estimate, and we recommend it before any move, but it’s inconvenient for consumers who are comparing prices between companies.

Mayflower offers three packages that add to the final cost: Essential, Plus 1 and Plus 2.

• Essential costs $195 and includes valuation protection up to $5,000.
      • Plus 1 costs $395 and includes $25,000 valuation protection, longer destination waiting time and one convenience service.
      • Plus 2 Costs $595 and includes $25,000 valuation protection, longer destination waiting time and two convenience services.

Mayflower’s convenience services include:

• Cleaning (only for Plus 2)
      • Debris pickup
      • Home theater stand mount setup and disassembly
      • Home theater wall mount disassembly
      • PC and network setup and disassembly

Mayflower moving services

Mayflower performs the following types of moves:

• Local moves: Mayflower has experience moving within state lines. An agent might pair you with one of its moving partners to complete a local move.
      • Long-distance moves: Mayflower moves customers across the country. Common additional services for these types of moves are storage services, auto transport, house cleaning and packing and unpacking.
      • International moves: Mayflower relocates customers to more than 150 countries. Mayflower’s moving packages also apply to international moves.
      • Military moves: Mayflower has transported more than 225,000 military members in the last decade. Common additional services for military moves include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and debris removal.
      • Corporate moves: Mayflower’s packing services make corporate relocations much easier.
      • Small moves: Mayflower accommodates small moves faster than regular-sized moves. Add-ons are less expensive with small moves. Call to see if you qualify.

Every Mayflower move, no matter how big or small, comes with claim assistance, loading and unloading, full-value protection and an assigned moving coordinator. Premium Mayflower services that cost extra include:

• Storage: Mayflower has storage options for when your move-in and move-out dates don’t align. Small moves are eligible for significant discounts on storage.
      • Auto transport: Mayflower moves cars and boats.
      • Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing services, partial packing, unpacking only, custom crating or electronics packing and installation.
      • Furniture assembly and disassembly: Mayflower’s movers take apart furniture and put it back together in your new home.
      • Specialty items: Mayflower’s movers have experience moving pianos, antiques and fragile items.
      • Cleaning services: Mayflower works with third parties to get homes cleaned before their owners move out.

Mayflower FAQ

Does Mayflower require an in-home estimate?
      Yes. Customers don’t receive a quote until Mayflower performs an in-home inspection.
      Does Mayflower have temporary storage?
      Mayflower offers storage options for an additional fee. It calculates the price based on the length of storage and weight of possessions.
      How much is the average long-distance move with Mayflower?
      The average long-distance move with Mayflower costs around $5,000. Quotes vary based on seasonality, distance and weight of household items.
      Does United Van Lines own Mayflower?
      No, but Unigroup Corporation owns both Mayflower and United Van Lines.

Is Mayflower a good moving company?

Mayflower experiences vary by location, so it’s a good idea to read reviews for the local agents in your area. Package options have upfront costs listed, but it’s difficult to get even a rough estimate for a move. Instead, Mayflower must complete an in-home inspection before giving an estimate. Still, Mayflower might be worth it to those looking for a moving company that offers all the bells and whistles.

Mayflower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

Original review: March 26, 2021

Leon helped move my grandparents from their home in Florida to their condo. Leon then moved extra things from my grandparents new condo and home up to Chicago and Wisconsin to my family; my parents and uncle and my husband and I. I was present for the drop off for my parents and my own house. Leon held a presence of efficiency, durability, and trust.

Everything was marked on paper and numbered on stickers; color coded and organized. He was deliberate, clear and concise when going through the move. There was no confusion as to what he was doing or when. He had normal and kind people working with him to help him move both times. Furniture was boxed and wrapped appropriately and came in undamaged. In addition he seemed to have a good handle on which boxes had what in them. Beds were set up couches placed in the correct place. Leon was friendly and conversational the whole time. I highly recommend Leon. He made encapsulated the words “make it a breeze” and “easy”. 10/10 would use him again.

Original review: March 23, 2021

We just completed our move from IL to SC. We decided to use Mayflower Moving Company and their local IL affiliate Blackhawk Moving & Storage. The Mayflower driver Leon ** (Driver #**) did an outstanding job. He was pleasant, hard working, efficient, careful and on time. The same is true for the local helpers on both sides. The results was zero damages and a happy customer.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Lady on the phone was very helpful, very nice, found me a really low price, the movers packed all my belongings up, shipped them, nothing was broken. Everything was in tip top shape, they unpacked everything and put everything in the correct places.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

They did a great job! I was very pleased with the time & delivery of my furniture and all the rest of the zillion boxes of things! The men that unloaded the truck were very good at putting the boxes where I wanted them. It made unpacking so much easier.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Mayflower's prices were competitive. This is the first time I've done a major move. I didn't feel like I got jerked around or forced into anything. All of the policies were clearly explained and my contact always gave me the most economical option. They arrived on time, nothing broke en route or when they unloaded it, they practiced good covid precautions.

Original review: March 20, 2021

We moved from California to Florida, but we have had serious problems in the delivery in FL. They stated the Semi would not fit the delivery target, even though the opposite was clearly proven before. They moved all to two smaller trucks. This took them till 1 PM to show up, and at that point workers were hungry and tired. A lot of thing were broken and they did not have time at the end of the day to assemble the tables. Furthermore, they charged $198 additional charges without any explanations.

Original review: March 12, 2021

Do not let Mayflower movers in your home. Moved from MI to PA in Nov 2020. They ruined my washer and dryer, lost boxes of parts to put yard and bedroom furniture back together, two ladders and a dolly, lost remotes and cords to tv and computers, deep scratched loads of furniture plus delivered things that did not belong to me.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

I moved in June 2016, the price was great. They showed up on time, packed my items carefully, used appropriate packing and moving materials. They were friendly, courteous and most importantly professional.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

We moved out of our house in Omaha in March this year, Mayflower did a pretty good job of packing and emptying our house. Sadly, they packed away a few items that we did not want packed and by the time we noticed, it was too late to recover them. We bought a house in Florida and gave them almost 8 weeks notice to have our belongings shipped to us. There were numerous delays, some Covid related, but some were down to a lack of communication at Mayflower and an inability to follow through on promises.

We moved into our home without our belongings, and basically camped out for 2 plus weeks. Mayflower's only offer was $100 per day which was nowhere near enough to cover the monies we spent during our "camping" experience. They eventually got our stuff to us and did a reasonable job getting everything in place. However, we did discover a few broken items and some damaged items which we did claim for via Mayflower. I appreciate that Covid contributed to the issues we had, but a firm the size of Mayflower should have been able to work around any issues that cropped up.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

I heard good things about them. They are dependable, are always on time. They are considerate. They are helpful. They are careful with your things. They are kind and considerate. They are dependable and their prices are fair.

Mayflower Company Information