1.26/5
Based on 118 reviews that contain star ratings

Discover the right moving company for you

138 Mayflower Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We moved cross country in 2015. This “professional” company sent an older man (late 60’s) and two high school kids on summer break to unload! The kids unloaded the truck as the old man inventoried our household goods. Our months old leather sofa was unloaded in the rain, staining the hell out of it, even though we asked them not to deliver in the rain. They used the cushions, unwrapped, to stuff in between box towers, so they were filthy! The poor 2 young boys were exhausted from unloading into our three story house and started dropping and breaking things around hour 7. We filed our complaint and have been going through arbitration... To this day!

These thieves take ZERO responsibility! We just asked to have the cushions recovered, but mountains of legalese paperwork and hours of research and photos, they are still giving us the list of all the things WE did wrong!!! They initially tried to shut us up with a small check, that didn’t even begin to repay us for all the damage... Not enough to pay to recover the cushions, nevermind the crushed sofa frame, the antique mirror, my deceased mother in law's broken China, my hand carved side table, etc. It was like we just hired strangers off of Craigslist, and didn’t pay over $7000 for a service we sure as hell didn’t receive!!! Find someone else to move you. This company promise the moon and delivers your broken, filthy, stained and just calls it a day.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Contracted this company to move me from NJ to VA. LOADING went well on Friday, took 4.5 hours; packed my belongings well, protected my 'high-value items listed', of which I paid extra in insurance, extremely carefully. Was told DELIVERY would be Monday. Received a call from company on Saturday, cancelling delivery, "family emergency with driver". Called driver (he'd given me his cell), was told he had a argument with the company, trying to screw him over, they fired him, forced him to remove my belongings from the truck. No delivery Monday, but told to expect delivery Tuesday at 12:30pm. A crew of ONE showed up, with a tiny young woman and their FOURTEEN YEAR OLD SON, to OFF-LOAD 7000 lbs!! I had to help carry boxes and furniture, myself, for HOURS!! I'm 62 yrs old!

Many boxes labeled FRAGILE were crushed, many boxes had no labels, many labels didn't match the inventory list. It took EIGHT HOURS because they didn't send a proper or LEGAL crew. A 14 year old is NOT a professional mover. His mom couldn't carry anything of any weight. The company has refused to respond to any of my emails, voice messages, Better Business Bureau or Business Consumer Alliance, to answer the complaint. My credit card company is fighting for a refund for me, all they do is say "No refund". Period. Do NOT use these people. They are scammers!! They are cheats!! They don't care about their customers because they think they'll always get more!!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We had used Mayflower service in the past 22 years. Because of our jobs we moved 14 times. Most were covered by our employer. Howerer, the last three were paid by us. To start the communication from our estimater was basically nonexistent. We would have to call 5 or 6 times before we could speak to him. Second our coordinator wasn't much better. The home we were to move into had black mold we walked away from. We contacted mayflower to hold the move in TN until they heard from us. That was on deaf ears. Not only DID they ship but the delivery was 4 days prior to our original delivery date.

Unable to take delivery the portion of our furniture was put into storage. They only shipped a portion of our things. Third they started a week before our actual delivery`to demand. Payment received 3 days prior to delivery $ 23,000.00 + storage and shipping. Finally received our first shipment from storage. What a disaster. Each every carton was smashed. Expensive tool boxes we broked into as well as damaged cartons opened and pilfered and resealed. Missing cartons expensive tools gone real train wreck.

To top it all off everything was dismantled - parts missing, legs taken off, tables ending up with 3 instead of 4, the smallest things taken apart. Parts box nonexistent. Left parts here and there. Not one thing reassembled. Furniture destroyed. It's like we paid $23k to have our things destroyed. We luckily (I hope!) took out full coverage on damages. Wait to see what happens next.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

After being recommended Mayflower as our mover I have to say I am beyond shocked that a company can still continue doing business after the negligence I experienced. Firstly they charged close US$20,000 for this move, which I am now appalled by. Chased me everyday for payment and didn't hear much after that once they got it. Was not called or told the time of delivery even after many emails and calls stating when I would be leaving NYC and that it had to be in by that time. Zero notifications along the way of how the transit was going. I was basically called a liar; after I specifically asked "co-ordinator, at Mayflower" many times over emails and calls when it would be delivered as I had to leave NYC that Friday eve. I forwarded the written confirmation from an email I had sent 4 days prior and noted the many calls asking about delivery time and telling them my timeframe, which she vehemently denied my telling her this info.

Kept receiving wrong dates and confirmations about the shipping of the car, again which I had to call up and rectify. Never got any calls telling me when the delivery guys would arrive until they were at the house and I was losing at least an hour of time unloading. The days prior when I had asked the co-ordinator to call the delivery guys or give me the number, I was told a flat out no, she could not contact the delivery team. This I did not understand as they HAD to be able to find out when the delivery would happen. Zero calls back. Damaged tables, dressers, lamps. Broken glass candle holders (I am beyond baffled at how this happened as you have to literally hit a stone wall to break these candle holders), broken decanters. A lot of high end damage, there was no care taken with our move. Lost boxes, missing very sentimentally valuable items.

Zero remorse over lost items and didn't even bother trying to find the boxes, just sent a claim form. I chased many times asking to give me the packers details so I could ask about the missing stuff, 4 days later nothing. No follow up calls, no contact after the disastrous move. Just left until I was the one chasing all our stuff. Had some items in storage, never told where this stuff was or how much it was costing us even after asking numerous times. Stuff arrived that was supposed to be in storage.

I am baffled and shocked and appalled that a company like this can still do business with all the negligence and bad business practice. They take your money and leave with a tenth of the service they promised and whats worse they don't care as they will fall back on the insurance and leave you with emotional damage that's irreparable. I wouldn't even give this company one star as they don't deserve it but had to. Please find yourself another company, Mayflower needs some form of regulation and have their business license terminated as from what I gather this has happened way too many times to people.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The people that delivered our stuff were the most unprofessional people I have ever dealt with. As soon as they walked in they said, "Did you pack these boxes?" and after I said yes they said, "You did a horrible job" which is very rude because only one mug broke that we packed and everything else made it just fine and the stuff we trusted them with got broken and damaged or totally demolished so that does not make sense what they said. If I knew they were going to damage my house and stuff would have never used this company and next time with sell my stuff and just take a few things and move myself.

We just had fresh paint and carpet put in and they came and damaged the walls by putting the boxes too close to the walls which we kept on saying, "Please not close to walls." They refused to put a lot of the stuff back together that the Virginia Beach crew took a part and if I would not have asked them to put some of it together they would not have put it together at all. Still have stuff sitting in the garage that needs to be put together because they took it apart. They were not listening to my instructions to put things.

It was near impossible to check off the boxes as they came in. We have things missing that we cannot claim because of weight and it is not worth my time to try to fill out another claim. Also a tub was broken and cannot claim that either. Time is worth more than 60 cents per pound. I do not agree with the claim amount but they will not budge. Major furniture was damaged table, end tables dressers. One dresser was completely broken. They did not even tell me that they broke one dresser. They were dishonest and unprofessional and unhelpful. If you want your stuff ruined and house damaged call these people. Very disappointed how much time and extra pressure this company has put us through. Moving across state is stressful enough and expensive enough. They smoked in my garage and around my stuff which is very rude to children that are very sensitive to smoke. They gag over it and I do too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I am moving to accommodate my new job. I called and they confirmed availability for my moving dates. They scheduled an in-home moving estimate today sometime from 8:30-noon. I took the morning off work. No showed. I called them and, 'Oh, yeah. We're not available on those dates. The employee who was supposed to call you back is on vacation.' I'm guessing Mayflower does not like corporate accounts. My company is paying; my choice. I'll be sure to let them know.

Original review: May 29, 2018

After considering many long distance movers I decided on Mayflower. The representative came out to my house, went through everything and was as sweet as can be going on and on about how much Mayflower cares and values your items. The long and short of it is that 1. They threw, yes you heard that right, my mattress off of my deck 2 stories to the ground. 2. They gammed my two antique wall clocks into a box NO PADDING. 3. They were supposed to stop for more items at my sons and they left half of them there. No way those left items will make it from California to Massachusetts. The agent, Brad **, told me he was sorry. It’s like, seriously??? He said he estimated the furniture and when they ran out of room oh well. So because of his underestimation, pieces of toy furniture and boxes are gone forever. Sorry would never be alright in this case. Of course no offer of compensation. This company is a disgrace. Don’t ever use them.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I can’t say enough great things about this company!!! We just did a big move from Florida to Boston and from beginning to end, estimate to moving in, it was an incredible experience. Moving is one of the most stressful things you can do in your life. This company made the process SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE!!! We paid for the packing to be done for us. If you can swing that, pay for it!!

I also HIGHLY recommend getting full coverage insurance. We had a few things damaged (which we kind of expected for such a far move) and the claims process was seamless!!! If you don’t get the full coverage insurance, don’t expect to get a lot for your damaged goods. This is explained to you DURING the estimate process, so if you don’t pay for it, don’t complain about it!!!

Every email I sent and phone call I made was returned in a very timely fashion. I had tons of questions and everything was answered!! I will be recommending this company to everyone I know!! Side note - this company was recommended to me by my parents who, while my dad was still in the Army (24 years), when they had the CHOICE of which moving company to use, they chose Mayflower. I’m so happy with this company and would absolutely use them again without hesitation!!

Original review: April 11, 2018

We didn't move with Mayflower, and only had them come out for an estimate. That was enough. My husband and I have over 20 moves and several things set off alarms with this company. First, my husband set a date and time a week in advance. The day of the meeting and at the exact moment of the set time, a secretary called to confirm the next day, an hour later, like we had made a mistake.

The next day, the rep was 45 mins late. Secondly, the rep insisted we didn't need their insurance on our items if they were going into storage. NO MOVING COMPANY SHOULD EVER NOT BACK THEIR WORK. Third, the rep wanted specific information on our new TV, like specs and items not related to picking it up and moving it. Fourth, the rep was indifferent through the walk-through until he saw our gun safe. He immediately became excited and stated they ship guns. He was too giddy for his previous lack of indifference (especially if you insist on no insurance for the move). Lastly, he became EXTREMELY offended when I asked insisted I would want insurance. Trust me when I say I have enough experience moving to know when someone is sizing up my household goods for more than just moving them. This guy was checking off his Christmas list. TRUST YOUR GUT. Get multiple quotes and don't get railroaded because a rep is a bully.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I was drove off the road by a semi license plate ** that refused to get over while I was coming onto the merge lane... Flattened my tire and I had to use a spare... Called the number on the truck to complain and wasn’t even expecting anything. Just wanted to tell the drivers to be more cautious... Got some nonchalant guy saying he “doesn't see the problem” so I told him it is okay because I will have my lawyer give them a call back.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

We were duped by a big name, and should have checked consumer reviews before using Mayflower Moving. They are a very dishonest and disorganized company. Our move was from CA to FL and we paid almost $10,400 to them. We literally had a few hundred boxes, and when the movers arrived to our Florida address, we were told that the crew was in a hurry and said that it would take a very long time to check off each box as it was brought in. The crew lead assured my husband that everything was on the truck and pressured him to check the box that he "waived" his right to check everything individually.

BIG MISTAKE!!! At one point, the crew brought in a mattress that was not ours; we should have known then that we were in trouble. As soon as they left, we noticed our large flat screen TV was missing in addition to 2 huge wardrobe boxes; then a 70 lb clear plastic container labeled "RECORD ALBUMS/HEAVY FRAGILE" was nowhere to be found. This carton in particular was very valuable and contained collectible priceless albums... Interesting that it would be "missing."

My husband proceeded to call, then text the crew lead who admitted that it was "100 percent his fault, and he had left things in the truck by mistake." Never got the vinyl records back and missing other items as well. Filed a claim, which Mayflower took no time to deny because, we had signed the "waiver." Also, if you go through an arbitrator, who Mayflower rep referred us to (obviously on their side), the decision is binding, so best to contact a lawyer if your lost or damaged possessions are worth it. ADVICE: DO NOT USE MAYFLOWER, AND IF YOU DO, MAKE SURE TO CHECK THAT EVERY BOX AND PIECE OF FURNITURE IS DELIVERED.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Mayflower came to pick up our household goods. We were to meet in Boone NC in 5 days. First driver called to say he had broken down and would be there 2 days later. When Chaz showed up he was alone. He proceeded to pull furniture off truck, couches, tables etc. It was nearly dark when he arrived at storage unit so we had no idea what was on checkoff sheet. He used my grandmother’s table to stand on and then drag that off. After going through things in daylight we are seeing ruined tables, missing things, and things that are not ours. Mayflower sent $200 and will not return calls. In other words, "Too bad," is Mayflower's response!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

They copied my name on the bottom of all of the sheets of paper telling that I had damage before they got their ugly hands on my possessions. My furniture looked great before they took it to move it for $6,000. They broke all of my lampshades. They opened almost all of my boxes and said they repacked them. I had them packed tight. I feel violated by them looking through my boxes. Then they laid my dresser on its side. The drawers inside swung inside... and stripped the screws out of the wood that drawer is guided on. They forgot evidently to put a picture holder back in a box they opened. They threw it in the bottom drawer of my dresser. Then it became lodged between both drawers on the bottom.

They said there was damage on things that didn't have damage. They said I had damage on a desk. I don't own a desk. I hope KARMA gets all of them. They treated my possessions like crap... and then backed themselves up so I believe I can't do anything. I will call the legislators or someone who can help me. I am sad I had to give them one star.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I had very bad experience of Mayflower in long distance move from CA, in spite of having lower quotes from other vendors I trusted Mayflower just coz I thought quality comes with the price & sales guy really convinced me that my goods are absolutely in safe hands. But to my shock they are nowhere near quality when it comes to handling & delivering your important household items. Moreover the delivery guys were not having proper delivery address. They damaged my TV in the move & flatly denied the claim even after providing all the proofs. Moreover they don't even show any remorse & the numerous follow up calls goes in vain. I can write full 2/3 page review on my experience with Mayflower but don't want to give myself more headache by remembering & thinking about all the conversations with them. Just want to tell everyone to stay away as far as possible from this company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I paid $8k for a cross country move. It took forever to get email responses to questions. The movers showed up almost 6 hours late to pack my stuff. Then it was delivered on the very last day of my delivery window. The movers on this end said it was the worst packed crates they’d ever seen. I experienced $2k in damages to an executive desk, lamps, and fire pit. I filed a claim form right away and had to follow up repeatedly to get resolution. Over a month later, after I sent four followup emails, my claim was finally assigned to Mayflower for someone local to come look at the damaged goods.

Note - over 30 days after I first sent it in. Horrible service. Terrible followup. I don’t know if they’re too busy or it’s a cultural issue - but don’t use this company unless you want to add persistent followup and poor communication to your agenda to manage in addition to relocating across the country. Please note-I NEVER write bad reviews for companies. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt and hope they do their jobs. I’m also posting publicly but I’m tired of following up and have as much as written off my damaged goods. Book somewhere else. Don’t use them.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Had to file a damage claim with our most recent move using Mayflower-IMS Relocation in Carrollton, TX. Currently not able to resolve any issues with this company after repeatedly furnishing all of the information that they have requested.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

On the day of my move, the team took 15 minute cigarette breaks every hour and 45 minutes. The move was taking longer than planned and the team leader threw a tantrum with me about the timing and how the salesperson screwed up. He said that if the move was completed before dark, he would drive away with my stuff still in the truck. I called to complain and the office assured me it would be taken care of by sending two more people to help unpack the truck. The team leader threw a tantrum again when a ladder was pointed out that needed to go on the truck.

He again threatened me that my stuff was going to get broken and it wouldn't be his fault. We emptied our tractor of gas as we were told to prevent a fire hazard and they put gas back into it so they wouldn't have to push it onto the truck. They were suppose to cover my banister and wood floors but only protected some of the floors. Two scratches over 8" each were made in the wood floors and we had to settle with the buyers at closing.

Once we got to the house to unpack the extra guys were there and it became a game of how fast they could get everything into my house. No care was given for my belongings. A leather loveseat that wasn't protected was pushed across a cement sidewalk and slate floor, a round outdoor table was rolled across the cement driveway, a container top popped off and photographs were on the ground, I found a dirty footprint on my wood furniture, boxes clearly marked fragile had heavy boxes put on top of them and someone ran something into my brand new dryer breaking the entire control panel. Many other things were broken or scratched.

When my move coordinator contacted me the next day, I let her know what happened and how unhappy we were with our experience. We did not get what we paid for and I told her that I shouldn't have to pay any additional charges. No one from management ever called to get more information and try to settle with me. A month later they sent me a bill and I called and had to leave a message. Lina my coordinator sent me an email back instead of calling me back like I requested. Lina told me in the email to call Les. I sent an email saying that Les could call me. It's been another month and still no one has contacted me or will return my calls. Poor service from start to finish. You do not get what you pay for!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Reason: Possible fraud due to unlicensed claims adjuster in North Carolina. Stored my entire household furnishings for nearly 3 years while on mission trips to Central America. Many, many items not delivered and numerous valuable items damaged by Mayflower's moving team. I have gotten the runaround for nearly a year and have received miscommunications from Mayflower as well as misinterpretations of legal requests from my attorney and myself. My opinion, DO NOT USE MAYFLOWER RAY MOVING AND STORAGE in Greensboro, NC.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Regarding Moving - Had very very bad experience with this company at Quote level itself. They gave us appointment date for Quote and never showed up and when called they just say "we don't have any availability" and just say sorry after one week and we have been waiting for all one week and they don't even bother to apologize and just say ignored. Worst company ever seen.

Original review: July 18, 2017

We are a military family and it was time to move for us. The military chose this company. It started out great they did the walk through and scheduled a pack day (June 13th). The packers were very nice and got things done in a good amount of time. We were moving from Maryland to Washington state. We knew we would more than likely beat our stuff here. We arrived in Washington on June 21st so we contacted the company Mayflower/Freeway Van Lines. They told us they had it scheduled to arrive July 3rd. We thought that was kinda late but what could we do.

So July 3rd rolls around and no delivery. So we call and after them trying to figure out where our stuff was located we find out that it's still on the East coast. They told us it was their busy season and they couldn't find a driver to bring our belongings to us. We have been contacting them every day since then and keep getting the same response. They have offered to pay up to 91 dollars a day but honestly I don't know if I can trust that. So we are still in an empty house with two children and a small dog. We have been told that a driver is scheduled to get it on July 24th but we have been told that before and that driver never showed up for that scheduled day (July 8th). We are at a loss. It's so incredibly frustrating.

Original review: July 12, 2017

So Far not So Good Moving experience with Mayflower. First the good: The local agent was responsive, came out and went through the house efficiently and provided a reasonable estimate on the spot. The packers were very nice and efficient. The loaders were there on time and seemed to do a good job. Now the bad: The furniture was due by today but has not arrived. Once we got through to them they said it was a busy time of year and they had to pay the local delivery agent extra overtime to get a crew together to deliver the furniture two days late. Customer Care: It turns out Mayflower/United Van Lines (they are the same company) is more like a confederation of independent contractors that provide the various services needed for a move but don't necessarily have seamless operating systems. So the local company handles their part but don't have much leverage to get the delivery end moving.

The corporate office seems to function as a higher level escalation path to sort out problems. They are trying, but their explanation, that summer is their busy season and so they can't really predict their performance just doesn't hold water. It's a lot like the airlines. They overbook then are surprised when they have to kick someone off the flight, or in this case they move the furniture but then are surprised when they don't have the capacity to actually deliver it on the receiving end. I suggested that they handle it like the airlines (no, not knock my teeth out and drag me down my front walk) and offer incentives to customers who are earlier in line to see if they are willing to take their delivery a day or two later for a cash rebate in return for allowing us to get our delivery on time. They acted surprised at the suggestion and said they hadn't considered it before. Hummmmmm... 150 years in the moving business and they hadn't considered it???

Makes me wonder about how motivated they really are. Their contract provides only $100/day performance penalty for missing their window, so not much downside liability on their part. Anyway, I rated them a three right now, but it will move down if they don't speed up the delivery or if there are any problems with missing or damaged items. Seems like the general consensus between reviews of the national movers is they are a second tier outfit, with Atlas Moving Systems and Bekins Moving Solutions being better but lots of others in the middle. At this point I'd have to agree that they seem to be tolerable but not great. More to come...

Original review: May 30, 2017

We are extremely dissatisfied with Mayflower. They dropped our refrigerator off the truck and still haven't delivered our elephant sculpture. We keep getting the​ runaround, but no word as to when we'll get it. Naturally we've already paid in full. I REGRET EVER TRUSTING THEM WITH OUR MOVE.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I used Mayflower. They own a lot of subsidiaries and or are owned by other companies, but nevertheless, the forms I filled out said Mayflower on them. When they brought my stuff across country, I then unpacked my boxes and saw that not all the items were there. They told me I had to fill out some form online to submit a claim. Then they replied with a letter telling me that they refuse to pay for the items. They say that they did an investigation and could not find the items. Well why would they be able to find the items if one of their drivers left the door unlocked when they were at a rest stop and some boxes were stolen? Or if perhaps their own crew stole the items.

I had valuable items and they would not pay for them. They insist that "Because they cannot find them" is a good enough reason. I even took it above their heads to their regional director and then finally I get a letter saying I can settle it through arbitration and I have to sign an agreement stating that if I sign the letter and go through arbitration that I will agree to have no recourse and I cannot take them to court. Well I refused to sign that. For all I know, the arbitrators are on their payroll. But anyway; they have insurance to cover losses like this and they refused to use it. I would not recommend Mayflower or any of their sub-contracted entities.

Original review: April 10, 2017

It was Sunday morning April 09, 2017 (Yesterday). It was 8:00 AM and my wife had asked the movers to clear our driveway so we could go to church. Our vehicle wasn't home because I was at my mom's home in route back to our home. I didn't realize my wife had already told them to clear the driveway. When I got home I saw the eighteen wheeler moving truck blocking my driveway and I asked them to move the vehicle from in front of my driveway. The driver told me that my wife had already told them they needed to clear the driveway so we could go to church in an unfriendly manner. The driver took his time to move the truck and then I pulled into my driveway went into my home to take my daughter to choir practice before service was to begin. We are usually running in and out of our home on Sundays because we all have to be at church at different times.

I dropped my daughter at church and returned to my home and the truck was AGAIN parked in front of my driveway. I told the driver that I needed him to keep the truck from being parked in front of my driveway. He then told me that I could leave my vehicle parked in the street or drive through my yard to get in my driveway. I could not believe it!! I had a few choice words with him after that and he told me he wasn't going to move his truck from in front of the driveway. He told me he would call the police on me if I didn't leave him alone!!!! I was totally in disbelief! It seemed like some strange dream. He told me if I touched his truck he would hurt me. I hadn't mentioned anything about touching his truck before he said that.

When the Tulsa police arrived they told him it was against the law to block someone's driveway and that he would have to move his truck. The police told me that if he parked in front of my driveway again, to call them back and they would have it towed. That day we were late for church and my daughter was sad that we didn't get to see her sing that morning. I truly believe that the driver for Mayflower thought that just because we were an ** family that he could do whatever he pleased to us. I would NEVER recommend this moving company to ANYONE! The driver should have knocked on our door and ASKED us if he could block our driveway. We would have told him to give us 30 minutes and he could park there until evening. I'm still shocked at it all. I can't believe a reputable moving company would EVER do something like this.

Original review: April 6, 2017

My experience was OK @ first. The problem came when I had to have my load stored for 4 days on the SD end. I was expecting a REASONABLE storage charge. IT WAS $700!!! My WNY contact told me SD had included a second delivery charge. Although both companies at both ends of my move are aware, no one is making an effort to fix this. Filing with the BBB soon.

Original review: March 13, 2017

We moved from PA to NC. We hired Mayflower moving to take care of our move. They did an ok packing job and were nice enough. They showed up to our new house 2 days early which created a great deal of stress on my wife who was meeting them there. Most of the boxes were labeled "miscellaneous" so my wife had no idea what was in each box. Once we got everything unpacked we realized there were missing items. I filed a claim with Mayflower. After several weeks, we received a letter in the mail stating they are denying the claim because we didn't inventory each item as it came off of the truck. In order to do that, my wife would have had to open each box and inventory it before allowing them to move onto the next item. NEVER HIRE THESE PEOPLE.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I moved to another state, and many items did not make it to my new home. Some could be replaced, although I had to pay for the new items, but some were irreplaceable. One item I am sad about losing is a hand-crafted sewing box that my mother-in-law said would be mine when she died. One mover made rude comments about my possessions. When I returned to my old home after I had moved, I found a large box of my items on my kitchen floor, and another large box in my office. How they could have forgotten to place those boxes in the truck is beyond comprehension. Unfortunately though, they did not contain the precious items I had lost. Incompetent!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2017

My experience was horrendous, agonizing and still going on, after 14 months. The entire shipment was temporarily "lost" twice. Mayflower subcontracts but poses the artificial facade of being a full moving company. They take no responsibility for their subcontractors, even though the contracts are in the name of Mayflower United. Their insurance payments are ridiculous and you're forced in arbitration or lawsuits. Their arbitration is only on papers as they refuse a face to face hearing. Between missing items and broken items, life with them has been not only a horror but a heartbreaker. The locks bought from them for the pods, were able to be opened by other keys. This is criminal. It is ongoing. It appears to be Mayflower and their subcontractors conspiring and acting together in a blatantly fraudulent activity. All contracts were discussed on phone, fax, and mails. This spell RICO. Racketeering and corruption.

I suggest anyone reading this and has been robbed and burnt by these people, call your local county, city, state and federal district attorney and federal attorney generals to complain. This is the only way to stop this arrogant, blatant and criminal activity. I packed in pods. The pods were moved several times, as the pod company went out of business within one month of taking possession. They were stored in extreme heat, bounced around, unpacked and repacked violently, from the appearance and damage. Not expecting the pods to be unpacked by anyone, but myself, I packed coins, collected over many years. All were missing. They take no responsibility for their actions. They don't offer fair reimbursement for proven damage. The only permanent recourse is to stop people from using this company.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

DO NOT USE MAYFLOWER / UNITED VAN LINES! At best, these people are thieves. At best, they are totally incompetent and don't care about their customers. Too many issues to describe, but the main complaint is that they failed to deliver my brand new Honda lawn mower. Their agent in Columbus, GA (Livingston Transfer) confirmed that they had our mower in their warehouse, but refused to deliver it and our claim was denied by Mayflower because it wasn't lost, but being held hostage by Livingston.

We received a check for other damaged items, but if we cashed it then that would satisfy the claim in total and we could kiss an expensive lawn mower goodbye. We are still struggling with them, but they have stopped responding to our requests for action. If you are in the military "DO NOT USE THESE CLOWNS." They will screw you and there is nothing you can do about it. If you are retired, rest assured that they will steal anything that is easily sold.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

The sales staff that I interfaced with at Mayflower (Richard **) was a great experience. Unfortunately I did incur some damage during the move. I have a solid cherry armoire hand made by the Amish which I paid $12k. When the truck arrived here in FL, I observed that the home belongings were tightly stacked and there was a lot of weight on the top and side of the armoire which broke the door and side panel of the armoire. When I filed a claim with Mayflower (Andrea ** from the claim department) I was sent a check in the amount of $90.00 (this is based on the Mayflower contract that we agreed to that pays $0.60 per pound and the armoire was estimated by Mayflower to be 150 lbs). This contract essentially absolves Mayflower of careless behavior. The bottom line is that I should have paid much more attention to the Mayflower contract and I should have not been so quick to agree to their generic contract clauses. Buyer beware.

Mayflower Company Information