2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.34/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Mayflower is a moving company that specializes in full-service moves. The company has a network of agents across the country. Mayflower only provides quotes after performing an in-home inspection. Additional services include house cleaning, auto transport and furniture assembly and disassembly.

BOTTOM LINE

Mayflower has a nationwide network of agents that helps with almost every type of move. We wish Mayflower provided a pricing estimate before the in-home inspection, but it does list additional package prices on its website.

PROS

• Available nationwide
    • Full-service moves
    • Customizable moving packages

CONS

• Inconvenient quote process

Top Mayflower Reviews We Found

I recently moved from Atlanta to New York City and could not have been more pleased. Because I was on a budget, I packed my own boxes and they labeled them accordingly. Nothing was lost, stolen, or otherwise damaged. … I would definitely recommend them and use them again in the future.

Moved my mother from Pa to Fl and from the beginning to the end I can't say enough how perfect everything was. … EVERYTHING was there and not one thing was broken, chipped or otherwise. I'd recommend them highly.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Mayflower?

Mayflower is a moving company with local agents across the United States. Mayflower has experience with local, long-distance and international moves for homes, small businesses, corporations and medical facilities. It includes full-value protection with every move.

Mayflower moving cost

A long-distance move with Mayflower costs an average of around $5,000. Factors like the distance traveled, weight of household items and time of year significantly affect the price.

Unfortunately, Mayflower doesn’t provide rough estimates of costs upfront. Customers only receive an estimate after Mayflower performs an in-home inspection. This is necessary for an accurate estimate, and we recommend it before any move, but it’s inconvenient for consumers who are comparing prices between companies.

Mayflower offers three packages that add to the final cost: Essential, Plus 1 and Plus 2.

• Essential costs $195 and includes valuation protection up to $5,000.
      • Plus 1 costs $395 and includes $25,000 valuation protection, longer destination waiting time and one convenience service.
      • Plus 2 Costs $595 and includes $25,000 valuation protection, longer destination waiting time and two convenience services.

Mayflower’s convenience services include:

• Cleaning (only for Plus 2)
      • Debris pickup
      • Home theater stand mount setup and disassembly
      • Home theater wall mount disassembly
      • PC and network setup and disassembly

Mayflower moving services

Mayflower performs the following types of moves:

• Local moves: Mayflower has experience moving within state lines. An agent might pair you with one of its moving partners to complete a local move.
      • Long-distance moves: Mayflower moves customers across the country. Common additional services for these types of moves are storage services, auto transport, house cleaning and packing and unpacking.
      • International moves: Mayflower relocates customers to more than 150 countries. Mayflower’s moving packages also apply to international moves.
      • Military moves: Mayflower has transported more than 225,000 military members in the last decade. Common additional services for military moves include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and debris removal.
      • Corporate moves: Mayflower’s packing services make corporate relocations much easier.
      • Small moves: Mayflower accommodates small moves faster than regular-sized moves. Add-ons are less expensive with small moves. Call to see if you qualify.

Every Mayflower move, no matter how big or small, comes with claim assistance, loading and unloading, full-value protection and an assigned moving coordinator. Premium Mayflower services that cost extra include:

• Storage: Mayflower has storage options for when your move-in and move-out dates don’t align. Small moves are eligible for significant discounts on storage.
      • Auto transport: Mayflower moves cars and boats.
      • Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing services, partial packing, unpacking only, custom crating or electronics packing and installation.
      • Furniture assembly and disassembly: Mayflower’s movers take apart furniture and put it back together in your new home.
      • Specialty items: Mayflower’s movers have experience moving pianos, antiques and fragile items.
      • Cleaning services: Mayflower works with third parties to get homes cleaned before their owners move out.

Mayflower FAQ

Does Mayflower require an in-home estimate?
      Yes. Customers don’t receive a quote until Mayflower performs an in-home inspection.
      Does Mayflower have temporary storage?
      Mayflower offers storage options for an additional fee. It calculates the price based on the length of storage and weight of possessions.
      How much is the average long-distance move with Mayflower?
      The average long-distance move with Mayflower costs around $5,000. Quotes vary based on seasonality, distance and weight of household items.
      Does United Van Lines own Mayflower?
      No, but Unigroup Corporation owns both Mayflower and United Van Lines.

Is Mayflower a good moving company?

Mayflower experiences vary by location, so it’s a good idea to read reviews for the local agents in your area. Package options have upfront costs listed, but it’s difficult to get even a rough estimate for a move. Instead, Mayflower must complete an in-home inspection before giving an estimate. Still, Mayflower might be worth it to those looking for a moving company that offers all the bells and whistles.

Mayflower Reviews

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Excellent service from driver/Owner of truck and his crew. Due to circumstances he moved my complete household twice. Not a single breakage or lost item! Only problem I had was with the overall cost and the changes of the prices due to time of year. Way too expensive.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Sometimes your results on moving is how much time you put into. Finding the right movers, what they request of you and what people thank of them. Do your home work and do your best to find out who is the best, the cost and what their reputation is and how much work you have to do. Packing, sorting what Everton help get the done right. Put in the work and you will get great results.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

The moving company was excellent! They arrived on time and each gentleman introduced himself. They were very careful with my furniture. They made sure that the items were placed exactly where I wanted them. The movers acted in a professional matter and were very polite. I would have no qualms about recommending them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I was very skeptical about hiring movers. Someone referred me to the Mayflower and I am extremely happy I use them. Precise timing. Courteous workers. Excellent service.... Show care as if it was their own.... Would highly recommend to anyone.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Mayflower was hired by my husband's company to move us from Colorado to California. The moving crew that packed our belongings stole an engagement ring and an expensive belt from me. After filing a police report the company took 8 weeks to offer me $200 on $10,000 of stolen items.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

We moved from outside Indianapolis to Boston using Mayflower. The local Mayflower representative who we spoke with to obtain a quote guaranteed that the movers would take great care with our furniture, pack it into the truck, drive cross-country, unload, and re-assemble our items. We checked several reviews online, and decided to go with Mayflower. 1 - The movers were 1 hour late to pack up the truck in Indianapolis. No big deal. 2 - They did not use any care. Several items ended up being broken, scratched, dented, and otherwise damaged. They refuse to work with us to compensate for the damages.

3 - When they were unloading our items in Boston, they absolutely refused to re-assemble any of our furniture. I was told by both Mayflower's corporate office, and their local office representatives, and our Mayflower booking agent, that re-assembly is standard. Yet, they refused to re-assemble any of our furniture, and their response was: "Sorry. That's unusual that the movers wouldn't re-assemble anything for you, but we can't make anyone do anything." Basically telling me that we were screwed. For the amount of money they charged, and level of service they claim, it has been absolutely disgusting service. They should be ashamed of themselves. Don't make the same mistake as me. Book with a credible, reliable, moving company. Mayflower is horrible.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

I was in the Air Force for over 4 years which allowed them to move my belongings free. The Air Force at Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida contracted Mayflower to move my belongings to Tipton Missouri in 1965. They loaded the truck and the driver said that they would be in Tipton within Four days. We never saw our belongings again. We called Mayflower who advised that the government had contracted them and we would have to deal with them. The Air Force office in Tyndall said the Mayflower told them that our belongings were in a warehouse and was waiting for a full load. We never could find out anything else. No contacts with either Mayflower or Air Force. Sad situation! I keep thinking someone at Mayflower will care enough to look into this and deliver our stuff.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Although I used this company back in the early 70's I don't know if they have changed their practices. What I found when they came to deliver my belongings to my new home outside of Chicago they demanded payment on the spot or they would not unload the truck. I found that very upsetting as they were a couple days late to begin with. Thankfully I had the money to pay them but I was never informed that the money on the spot was a requirement.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I would advise AGAINST using this company unless you can have someone watching every move of each Mayflower packer every second. They steal, and break furniture. You can’t get compensation for the items stolen unless they are tagged! Needless to say, they did not tag and record items they were stealing. The packers are not steady employees of Mayflower, but people they hire off the street just for the job. They have no respect for your belongings. I wish I had been forewarned.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

The customer service stopped the day I signed the contract. I was told by the President of the company that his driver and his truck would take to my furniture to Florida. They instead brokered out to another company in another city. Never told me this beforehand, I found out from the driver when he came to pick up my furniture. When I called they just said their drivers were busy. I have never had so much damage, boxes were not marked so I am sure they delivered all the boxes, boxes were crushed, and items missing. They put our Select Number bed together but forgot to put two clips in place, result broken frame. Two days later the driver sent the two clips. Their only response was to go online and download a claim form with the corporate office in Missouri. Do not use!

Mayflower Company Information