Find a Movers partner

3.9/5 (652 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Mayflower

Mayflower is a moving company that specializes in full-service moves. The company has a network of agents across the country. Mayflower only provides quotes after performing an in-home inspection. Additional services include house cleaning, auto transport and furniture assembly and disassembly.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Available nationwide
    • Full-service moves
    • Customizable moving packages

Cons

• Inconvenient quote process

Bottom Line

Mayflower has a nationwide network of agents that helps with almost every type of move. We wish Mayflower provided a pricing estimate before the in-home inspection, but it does list additional package prices on its website.

Top Mayflower Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

I recently moved from Atlanta to New York City and could not have been more pleased. Because I was on a budget, I packed my own boxes and they labeled them accordingly. Nothing wa...

Verified

Moved my mother from Pa to Fl and from the beginning to the end I can't say enough how perfect everything was. … EVERYTHING was there and not one thing was broken, chipped or othe...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Mayflower?

Mayflower is a moving company with local agents across the United States. Mayflower has experience with local, long-distance and international moves for homes, small businesses, corporations and medical facilities. It includes full-value protection with every move.

Mayflower moving cost

A long-distance move with Mayflower costs an average of around $5,000. Factors like the distance traveled, weight of household items and time of year significantly affect the price.

Unfortunately, Mayflower doesn’t provide rough estimates of costs upfront. Customers only receive an estimate after Mayflower performs an in-home inspection. This is necessary for an accurate estimate, and we recommend it before any move, but it’s inconvenient for consumers who are comparing prices between companies.

Mayflower offers three packages that add to the final cost: Essential, Plus 1 and Plus 2.

• Essential costs $195 and includes valuation protection up to $5,000.
    • Plus 1 costs $395 and includes $25,000 valuation protection, longer destination waiting time and one convenience service.
    • Plus 2 Costs $595 and includes $25,000 valuation protection, longer destination waiting time and two convenience services.

Mayflower’s convenience services include:

• Cleaning (only for Plus 2)
    • Debris pickup
    • Home theater stand mount setup and disassembly
    • Home theater wall mount disassembly
    • PC and network setup and disassembly

Mayflower moving services

Mayflower performs the following types of moves:

• Local moves: Mayflower has experience moving within state lines. An agent might pair you with one of its moving partners to complete a local move.
    • Long-distance moves: Mayflower moves customers across the country. Common additional services for these types of moves are storage services, auto transport, house cleaning and packing and unpacking.
    • International moves: Mayflower relocates customers to more than 150 countries. Mayflower’s moving packages also apply to international moves.
    • Military moves: Mayflower has transported more than 225,000 military members in the last decade. Common additional services for military moves include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and debris removal.
    • Corporate moves: Mayflower’s packing services make corporate relocations much easier.
    • Small moves: Mayflower accommodates small moves faster than regular-sized moves. Add-ons are less expensive with small moves. Call to see if you qualify.

Every Mayflower move, no matter how big or small, comes with claim assistance, loading and unloading, full-value protection and an assigned moving coordinator. Premium Mayflower services that cost extra include:

• Storage: Mayflower has storage options for when your move-in and move-out dates don’t align. Small moves are eligible for significant discounts on storage.
    • Auto transport: Mayflower moves cars and boats.
    • Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing services, partial packing, unpacking only, custom crating or electronics packing and installation.
    • Furniture assembly and disassembly: Mayflower’s movers take apart furniture and put it back together in your new home.
    • Specialty items: Mayflower’s movers have experience moving pianos, antiques and fragile items.
    • Cleaning services: Mayflower works with third parties to get homes cleaned before their owners move out.

Mayflower FAQ

Does Mayflower require an in-home estimate?
    Yes. Customers don’t receive a quote until Mayflower performs an in-home inspection.
    Does Mayflower have temporary storage?
    Mayflower offers storage options for an additional fee. It calculates the price based on the length of storage and weight of possessions.
    How much is the average long-distance move with Mayflower?
    The average long-distance move with Mayflower costs around $5,000. Quotes vary based on seasonality, distance and weight of household items.
    Does United Van Lines own Mayflower?
    No, but Unigroup Corporation owns both Mayflower and United Van Lines.

Is Mayflower a good moving company?

Mayflower experiences vary by location, so it’s a good idea to read reviews for the local agents in your area. Package options have upfront costs listed, but it’s difficult to get even a rough estimate for a move. Instead, Mayflower must complete an in-home inspection before giving an estimate. Still, Mayflower might be worth it to those looking for a moving company that offers all the bells and whistles.

Mayflower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

Original review: March 26, 2021

Leon helped move my grandparents from their home in Florida to their condo. Leon then moved extra things from my grandparents new condo and home up to Chicago and Wisconsin to my family; my parents and uncle and my husband and I. I was present for the drop off for my parents and my own house. Leon held a presence of efficiency, durability, and trust.

Everything was marked on paper and numbered on stickers; color coded and organized. He was deliberate, clear and concise when going through the move. There was no confusion as to what he was doing or when. He had normal and kind people working with him to help him move both times. Furniture was boxed and wrapped appropriately and came in undamaged. In addition he seemed to have a good handle on which boxes had what in them. Beds were set up couches placed in the correct place. Leon was friendly and conversational the whole time. I highly recommend Leon. He made encapsulated the words “make it a breeze” and “easy”. 10/10 would use him again.

Original review: March 23, 2021

We just completed our move from IL to SC. We decided to use Mayflower Moving Company and their local IL affiliate Blackhawk Moving & Storage. The Mayflower driver Leon ** (Driver #**) did an outstanding job. He was pleasant, hard working, efficient, careful and on time. The same is true for the local helpers on both sides. The results was zero damages and a happy customer.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Lady on the phone was very helpful, very nice, found me a really low price, the movers packed all my belongings up, shipped them, nothing was broken. Everything was in tip top shape, they unpacked everything and put everything in the correct places.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

They did a great job! I was very pleased with the time & delivery of my furniture and all the rest of the zillion boxes of things! The men that unloaded the truck were very good at putting the boxes where I wanted them. It made unpacking so much easier.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Mayflower's prices were competitive. This is the first time I've done a major move. I didn't feel like I got jerked around or forced into anything. All of the policies were clearly explained and my contact always gave me the most economical option. They arrived on time, nothing broke en route or when they unloaded it, they practiced good covid precautions.

Original review: July 15, 2021

From the very start my driver was very annoyed to be in my presence. The two other gentleman helping him out were about an hour late. Even the moving coordinators before the move were incredibly unorganized and never followed up or called when they said that they would. Even in front of us they were completely careless with her things and when we got to our location across the country many valuable items were completely destroyed.

Original review: July 10, 2021

Our move was an unmitigated disaster as a result of mishandling, poor communication and horrendous customer service. It’s critical however to understand the impact of this delay. The move was to relocate my 92-year-old mother from Southern California to the state of Washington. Due to health and other serious concerns, it was important the move proceed smoothly. For that reason, we made it clear from the first conversation that the furniture must be delivered on Thursday 5/13. With that requirement, Coast Transfer and Mayflower selected the furniture pick up date of 4/30.

I flew from Minnesota to California to help my mother make the transition. On Monday 5/11 we flew to Seattle and on Tuesday 5/12 we drove to Spokane fully expecting the furniture to be delivered the next day, 5/13. The afternoon of 5/12 we called to find out what time the furniture would be delivered only to be told all the furniture was still in California. The move of the furniture hadn’t even started! I fully believe that this disaster wasn’t discovered until we called to check the status.

With no other options, I extended my stay since my 92-year-old mother could not be left alone. Over the next week we incurred an additional $3,200 in hotel and meal expenses. These unnecessary costs could have been avoided if they had done either one of two things:

1. If they did what they committed to and move her furniture on time, or at a minimum

2. CALL US and let us know of the delay before we traveled. By not even telling us of the delay until after we had traveled to Washington is inexcusable.

Throughout the process all we received was lip service. Not once did they initiate a call to us. All communication was us calling them. My firm impression was that they just wanted us to go away. Be warned, NEVER use Coast Transfer or Mayflower.

Original review: June 16, 2021

We used Mayflower for our long distance move from Eastern Nebraska to Northwestern Colorado. We should have just hauled it ourselves. Much of our belongings were damaged, destroyed, or disrespected. The movers answer to my concerns about how they unloaded the truck was, "It's okay; we're insured." But it's not okay. I hired someone I thought was reputable because I wanted most of my items to make it across the Rockies. I have never moved a long distance before, and I never had any company as horrible as this one.

We recently entered our storage unit to begin going through things, and were appalled at its organization or lack tthereof. They broke our lawn mower and proceeded to store it ON TOP OF MY PIANO. You cannot make this ** up. I don't really need a broken lawn mower, so putting it on my PIANO was completely unnecessary. It went to the trash. It was sad enough having to put the instrument in storage, but with my careful storage unit selection, I did not expect it to be destroyed. In addition to the way our items were treated, we also had a problem with billing. We were very clear with the company that we could only give them payment upon arrival because we needed the funds from the closing on our house. They assured us repeatedly that this was fine. 4 days before the move, it was no longer fine. We had to send our college kid with his own personal checkbook so Mayflower would load our house into their truck.

I had already started my teaching position and was not able to be in Nebraska when the movers loaded. I had packed everything weeks before. Half an hour before the movers arrived, we got a call with their arrival time. That was when we found out the truck was destined for Kansas City and Wyoming before it would head toward us. When I found this out, I sent my parents to explain my concerns with this. It was freezing in KC, and they were holding dozens of my Disney snowglobes, which are obviously important to me. My concern was that if they are sitting in parking lot in Kansas City for over a week, the liquid in those large globes would expand and break the glass. No one cared about this concern, and the head mover acted as though my mom was nuts for believing this would happen.

We had specifically moved up our closing date to avoid our belongings from arriving in the same time frame as my school moving into its new building. Well, since my items were missing in action for 8 days, both events coincided. This was very hard on me as a tiny person with fibromyalgia. So basically, nothing went as planned with Mayflower, and I continue to find broken items in my storage unit constantly, long after time to submit claims. For $7,000, I expect better service.

Original review: April 21, 2021

We moved from Ca to Tx. The driver was good with communication and everything. Some of the workers were good w/ carrying and even assembling the furniture. However, the main issue was the very last employee/aka worker who left the house after exiting the bathroom; he literally left crap in the sink. I am guessing he felt we weren’t going to tip him and his crew since I couldn’t find my husband at the exact moment they were expecting their tip. Though, they didn’t realize he was outside and had given it to one of the other lead crew members. I have never in my life been so disgusted with how unprofessional and absolutely inhuman someone can be, but what do you expect when you hire animals. For the sake of the company, invest in better people, or do background checks. For one, I am investing in better surveillance.

Original review: March 20, 2021

We moved from California to Florida, but we have had serious problems in the delivery in FL. They stated the Semi would not fit the delivery target, even though the opposite was clearly proven before. They moved all to two smaller trucks. This took them till 1 PM to show up, and at that point workers were hungry and tired. A lot of thing were broken and they did not have time at the end of the day to assemble the tables. Furthermore, they charged $198 additional charges without any explanations.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Mayflower Company Information