3.6/5 (1253 reviews)

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Get a Quote

About Mayflower

Mayflower is a moving company that specializes in full-service moves. The company has a network of agents across the country. Mayflower only provides quotes after performing an in-home inspection. Additional services include house cleaning, auto transport and furniture assembly and disassembly.

Find Moving Companies near you

Pros

• Available nationwide
    • Full-service moves
    • Customizable moving packages

Cons

• Inconvenient quote process

Bottom Line

Mayflower has a nationwide network of agents that helps with almost every type of move. We wish Mayflower provided a pricing estimate before the in-home inspection, but it does list additional package prices on its website.

Top Mayflower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

I recently moved from Atlanta to New York City and could not have been more pleased. Because I was on a budget, I packed my own boxes and they labeled them accordingly. Nothing wa...

Verified

Moved my mother from Pa to Fl and from the beginning to the end I can't say enough how perfect everything was. … EVERYTHING was there and not one thing was broken, chipped or othe...

What is Mayflower?

Mayflower is a moving company with local agents across the United States. Mayflower has experience with local, long-distance and international moves for homes, small businesses, corporations and medical facilities. It includes full-value protection with every move.

Mayflower moving cost

A long-distance move with Mayflower costs an average of around $5,000. Factors like the distance traveled, weight of household items and time of year significantly affect the price.

Unfortunately, Mayflower doesn’t provide rough estimates of costs upfront. Customers only receive an estimate after Mayflower performs an in-home inspection. This is necessary for an accurate estimate, and we recommend it before any move, but it’s inconvenient for consumers who are comparing prices between companies.

Mayflower offers three packages that add to the final cost: Essential, Plus 1 and Plus 2.

• Essential costs $195 and includes valuation protection up to $5,000.
    • Plus 1 costs $395 and includes $25,000 valuation protection, longer destination waiting time and one convenience service.
    • Plus 2 Costs $595 and includes $25,000 valuation protection, longer destination waiting time and two convenience services.

Mayflower’s convenience services include:

• Cleaning (only for Plus 2)
    • Debris pickup
    • Home theater stand mount setup and disassembly
    • Home theater wall mount disassembly
    • PC and network setup and disassembly

Mayflower moving services

Mayflower performs the following types of moves:

• Local moves: Mayflower has experience moving within state lines. An agent might pair you with one of its moving partners to complete a local move.
    • Long-distance moves: Mayflower moves customers across the country. Common additional services for these types of moves are storage services, auto transport, house cleaning and packing and unpacking.
    • International moves: Mayflower relocates customers to more than 150 countries. Mayflower’s moving packages also apply to international moves.
    • Military moves: Mayflower has transported more than 225,000 military members in the last decade. Common additional services for military moves include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and debris removal.
    • Corporate moves: Mayflower’s packing services make corporate relocations much easier.
    • Small moves: Mayflower accommodates small moves faster than regular-sized moves. Add-ons are less expensive with small moves. Call to see if you qualify.

Every Mayflower move, no matter how big or small, comes with claim assistance, loading and unloading, full-value protection and an assigned moving coordinator. Premium Mayflower services that cost extra include:

• Storage: Mayflower has storage options for when your move-in and move-out dates don’t align. Small moves are eligible for significant discounts on storage.
    • Auto transport: Mayflower moves cars and boats.
    • Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing services, partial packing, unpacking only, custom crating or electronics packing and installation.
    • Furniture assembly and disassembly: Mayflower’s movers take apart furniture and put it back together in your new home.
    • Specialty items: Mayflower’s movers have experience moving pianos, antiques and fragile items.
    • Cleaning services: Mayflower works with third parties to get homes cleaned before their owners move out.

Mayflower FAQ

Does Mayflower require an in-home estimate?

Yes. Customers don’t receive a quote until Mayflower performs an in-home inspection.

Does Mayflower have temporary storage?

Mayflower offers storage options for an additional fee. It calculates the price based on the length of storage and weight of possessions.

How much is the average long-distance move with Mayflower?

The average long-distance move with Mayflower costs around $5,000. Quotes vary based on seasonality, distance and weight of household items.

Does United Van Lines own Mayflower?

No, but Unigroup Corporation owns both Mayflower and United Van Lines.

Is Mayflower a good moving company?

Mayflower experiences vary by location, so it’s a good idea to read reviews for the local agents in your area. Package options have upfront costs listed, but it’s difficult to get even a rough estimate for a move. Instead, Mayflower must complete an in-home inspection before giving an estimate. Still, Mayflower might be worth it to those looking for a moving company that offers all the bells and whistles.

Mayflower Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mayflower?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2023

My wife and I were relocating from South Carolina to Colorado and we knew we could not do it ourselves. We researched a number of moving companies online and Mayflower seemed like the best option. They offered packing services with "professionally trained" packers and made all sorts of assurances about how they would safely move all of our possessions across the country. One item that stood out was that they said that all furniture and boxes would always be handled by two people.

The estimator gave me lots of good information and explained the insurance options to me. The US government requires them to provide rudimentary insurance for free, but this insurance had very low payout amounts. They offered their $0 deductible insurance and said that claims were a simple process of submitting pictures of any damage.

After comparing their quote to a competitor's, we decided to go with Mayflower because they seemed more straightforward and reputable than their competitor. This is where things started to go downhill. Shortly after booking them, we accepted an offer on our house in SC and placed an offer on a new house in CO. The dates were slightly different from the estimated dates we had discussed, so I wanted to make sure they would still work. After two unanswered emails to my move coordinator, I tried calling her. I went immediately to her voicemail and left several messages.

After 2 days, I tried calling the main number of the company Mayflower partnered with to handle my move and all calls kept getting redirected to my move coordinator's voicemail. After 4 days I finally got in touch with her and she said that she had family emergency. None of this explains why there was no alternate contact for me. I should have walked away at this point but, alas, hindsight is 20/20.

Fast forward to packing day. The packing crew arrived and began packing all of our loose items into boxes. Some of them did a great job, especially the leader of the crew. I will say, the one bright light in all of this is that none of our dishes were damaged in transit, due to being packed properly. The guy that packed our garage was not as thorough or competent. He literally dumped all the tools from my workbench into a box without wrapping or packing them at all. I had a firearm that was being moved and I had been instructed to set it aside so that the serial number could be recorded. I pointed out the gun case to him when he arrived but found that it was just thrown in the same box with my tools, no serial number having been recorded.

Then came loading day. First, we found that the packing crew had neglected to pack some loose items. The leader of the loading crew told me "I'm a loader not a packer" when I asked him to pack these items up. So instead of boxing them, he put them in the truck loose and, not surprisingly at all, most of these items were damaged upon arrival. Then came the most shocking part of all. I watched one guy stand at the bottom of the stairs and catch boxes of my possession that the other guy slid down to him. Not only were there not two people holding on at all times, there were no people holding on when they were mid slide down the stairs. And since they didn't hang the blankets on the walls and corners like they promised they would, some of these items scuffed the walls which had just been painted as part of the selling process.

So now everything we owned, besides are cars, was loaded on these trucks. I was promised early on that I would get a guaranteed delivery date on the loading day. Nope, they gave me a 4 day window. I was told I would get daily updates on the location of the truck and when it would arrive. Nope, their online tracking didn’t work and it usually took several phone calls to get my move coordinator on the phone.

So over a week later (12 days to be exact) the truck arrived at our new house. The unloading crew was much more professional that the loading crew. They did place more floor and wall protection up, but unfortunately it was not enough. There had been some type of black substance on the floor of the moving truck and it carried over onto the bottom of our dresser. This left some wonderful black marks on our cream-colored carpet. However, they unloaded relatively quickly and we were able to start unpacking.

After unpacking, we realized a good amount of damage to our possessions. Most of it was dings, nicks, and dents of furniture. One dresser had been moved without emptying the drawers and since it was tall, it had basically shaken itself apart. Yes it was IKEA, but had it been emptied, it surely would have survived. A desk was wrapped so tightly in blankets that the metal legs buckled. My poker table looked like someone dropped it. And my wife's spice rack, which had belonged to her grandmother, had been broken in several places. This spice rack was one of the items that the packing team missed and the loading team just threw on the truck. Thanks guys!

So we went about filing our insurance claim. You are only allowed to file once, so we had to wait until we had everything unpacked. And since you can't get rid of anything until the claim is settled, we had to keep around the furniture that was damaged beyond use. I filed the claim, including multiple pictures of every item damaged. The total amount came to $1,900. I knew they would offer lower, but since I theoretically had $90,000 in coverage, I thought it would still be enough to replace the items that were completely destroyed.

They gave us two options: a check for $500 or have a "repair specialist" come in and tell us how much it would cost to repair everything. I asked if the $500 could be increased to $750, considering the horrible packing they had done and included pictures that I didn't originally include in my claim. Nope, $500 is the best they could do. And since I knew their "repair specialist" would be under strict orders to find our claim to be less than $500, I took the check so I could end my business with this joke of a company. Wow, that was long but it felt good to get it off my chest. Hopefully someone will read this and it will prevent them from making the same mistake I did.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

Sinclair is a sub-contractor of Mayflower moving. They are who coordinated our move from Philadelphia to Portland area in early June of 2022. While the initial experience with Cecelia was pleasant, she promised things that just did not happen. We booked with Sinclair/Mayflower a few months in advance. Day of our move the driver showed up and told us that he could not take all of our belongings because the last customers were a few thousand pounds over their estimated weight. He also told us that he was surprised that no one from Sinclair or Mayflower had told us as he had called a few days prior to let them know that our move could not be 100% accommodated.

Julie, our move coordinator, was extremely unresponsive. Couldn't reach her day of the move. No one checked in or let us know how to proceed. We were renting and our lease was up in a few days...we were also set to leave PA for WA the next day with out 5 week old infant. Thankfully Jarrod, our driver, was able to contact someone who came to get the second truck load of our belongings the next day.

Fast forward a week, we receive our first truck load...the movers were supposed to being essentials but instead we received our Christmas decorations and storage from the garage along with one couch and a mattress. They neglected to bring the crib/baby items or any clothes from our master bedroom. I suspect this is because we lived on the third and fourth floor of a duplex and the movers didn't want to carry everything down that many stairs...so they left it for the movers coming the following day. I get that its a ton of work, but to neglect to bring necessities is not okay...especially when you are paying upwards of $17,000 for a cross-country move.

Meanwhile the second truck load was sitting in a storage facility in New Jersey. Apparently even though our items were picked up, no one told us that they would be living in a storage facility indefinitely until they could find a driver. For the next few weeks we called Julie at Sinclair everyday...she never had any update for us. Nor did she ever reach out to us for any updates. The only way we were able to get our items was by contacting Mayflower's general counsel and Sarah White at customer service (who was the only highlight of our move and very helpful).

Our items were eventually delivered Mid-July and many items were damaged either from movers (there was a ring mark on our dresser like someone left a soda can on it?) or sitting in the heat in a warehouse in the middle of summer. Luckily by dealing with their lawyer and Sarah we were able to get some compensation, but truthfully not nearly enough to make up for what we had to spend on accommodations and necessities while waiting for the second truck that came 4 weeks after our delivery spread was set to end....and 2 months after the items were picked up.

All in all I would caution anyone to use Sinclair after this experience, we certainly never will again. Specifically do not have Julie as your move coordinator she was impossible to communicate with and never called us back when she said she would etc. While Cecelia was great to work with, she is a sales person and at the end of the day does not do anything to coordinate your move whatsoever.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2022

Booked my move from Arkansas to Chicago. After my boxes and furniture were picked up, communication was horrible after that. Delivery agent in Chicago - Glen Ellyn storage corporation is a fraud. They demanded extra money for storage when I tried to schedule a delivery within the duration of my initial agreement. First of all they scheduled a delivery without coordinating the date with me, when I tried to change it, they demanded extra money for storage even though it was still within the duration of an initial agreement. I had to make several phone calls including to customer service to sort it out. Shipping agent - Razorback movers and Glen Ellyn would not even communicate directly with each other. I was left in the middle to communicate back and forth to get my stuff delivered. When my boxes arrived, they were all crushed. And then my bed slats were left in warehouse in Little Rock. Horrible experience. Would never recommend to anyone.

Original review: March 19, 2022

We relocated from Boston back to FL last August. Painful process to find movers during COVID in mid 2021. Mayflower was awful to deal with- couldn’t get the inventory correct. Moving day happens (finally) and seemed to go ok. Agreements were they were ok with clothes being left in the dressers. Everything was going into storage. When they dropped our stuff and we went there a month or so later to look for something, realized they unpacked ALL of our dressers. There was NO AGREEMENT/PERMISSION for this.

We had nice winter clothing in there that wasn’t in wardrobe boxes. We would’ve gladly packed it ourselves HAD THEY BEEN HONEST! Our stuff was going into storage and I did not want my winter clothing going into their secondhand boxes. In addition, they dented or broke numerous items and refused to take ownership of it. DO NOT USE THEM. WE USED ANOTHER COMPANY LEAVING FL TO BOSTON AND OUR STUFF ARRIVED IN GREAT SHAPE. MAYFLOWER IS EXPENSIVE BUT NOT WORTH IT.

Original review: March 14, 2022

Mike and his unloaders were terrible. Boxes were put everywhere. They put some furniture together but not completely. Some boxes I had to move. Looked for my hand truck they took it. Had to buy another one. Went to lunch never came back. DO not sign paper work until satisfied. Very unhappy. Roger. Centerville Ohio.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

I moved from California to Texas. I was promised the move will be completed in 3 weeks. After numerous follow ups, It took 2 months to complete the move and story does not end here. Can you imagine 65 inches TV is lost, Box of liquor with 16 bottles is gone. (Full set of entertainment TV plus alcohol is being enjoyed by someone in the storage.) Most of the boxes were damaged, entire closet of beddings and clothings were missing, SLR with all the memories captured was lost, box of 16 bottles of hard liquor (Japanese, Irish, Korean Single Malt) has no traces. Roomba, vacuum cleaner, ladder was replaced with damaged wooden ladder, list of goods keeps going on. Our master bed was damaged, dresser had dent. I raised the claims and it has been 4 months and 35 email follow ups already. There has been no progress. This was an excruciating move for me. I wish there were negative ratings which I could post. NEVER USE MAYFLOWER UNITED.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

After receiving several spam messages from Mayflower and a text by Wyatt from Mayflower. I called the number back to let the company know I am no longer interested in the services and WYATT hung up the phone on me. This was very disrespectful and I will NEVER recommend your services to ANYONE in my contacts and won't inquire again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

Mayflower Moving Company moved me during June 2021. The movers packed my brand-new furniture that was never used. This is because I purchased new furniture, but never moved into that house. After storing my new furniture for about a year, I was able to move the items from Florida to North Carolina. Upon arrival to North Carolina many of the boxes with art and tools were missing, and much of the furniture was damaged. The new furniture they stored was now full of mold and rust despite being stored in supposed air conditioned dehumidified storage.

Mayflower then had an inspector evaluate the damaged and moldy furniture. After the inspector took pictures I was advised by Mayflower to get rid of the moldy furniture, and I would be timely compensated so I could purchase new replacement furniture. Despite having purchased additional coverage, and specifically including identifying the high value items before the move, it has been more than six months and Mayflower refuses to pay the claim. This is now January 2022. Mayflower claimed the paperwork (including the delivery inventory sheets along with high value inventory) for my move is missing. Even after I sent them my copies of their paperwork with their mover’s signatures on the copies they are still refusing to pay the claim.

I've been trying diligently for more than six months to get compensated. Mayflower's claims department just don’t care even though Federal law requires a claim be settled within 120 days after a written complaint is filed about the lost and damaged items. BE FOREWARNED, should you incur a loss with Mayflower, you will probably have to sue the company to get compensated for your losses. ALSO BE FOREWARNED the insurance you purchase from Mayflower is not insurance at all, and not controlled by state or federal insurance laws. You may want to consider other insurance through your homeowners policy for the move. Rather than paying the claim, I presume Mayflower figures most people don’t have the resources to file a lawsuit, and can away without paying their claims.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2021

Mayflower Relocation Services is a complete SCAM. Mayflower beat their reputable competitor (Allied Van) quote by $1,000 and gave us an estimate of cubic feet our items would take on a truck based on a full inventory we provided. The day before pick-up they told us THEY wrote the inventory down wrong and we owed them more money.

On pick-up, we realized that even that estimate was wrong. Even though they had a full inventory and we double-checked the cubic feet our items used (it was under the contracted amount), there is obviously some other calculation they purposefully do not tell you until pick-up so they can charge you for overage. AFTER all of our items were loaded onto the truck we were forced to agree to an additional $1,100 payment or they would unload our items and leave them on the sidewalk. They also refused to provide us with a bill of lading, which is now hindering our ability to submit a claim for everything they damaged (see below).

Mayflower further told us that they would provide an estimated delivery date once the items were picked up. Called two days after pick-up and were told "we don't have an estimate. We have no way of getting an estimate." We called back daily to try to find out where our belongings were and were told to "stop calling." (We were sitting with an empty apartment in our new location at this point.) We finally reached someone at the trucking company who had our stuff. They told us that Mayflower had actually told them that we COULD NOT accept delivery of our items yet and to not schedule delivery. We only received delivery of our items in a timely manner because the operations person at the trucking company took pity on us for the miserable experience we were having with Mayflower.

Mayflower also did not notify us when the delivery date was eventually set. Even after making contact with the trucking company, we continued our daily outreach to Mayflower, since we had paid them $1,300 to theoretically be our advocate and go between with the trucking company. At 4:30 pm on Columbus Day, we reached someone new at Mayflower (Anthony and Brice, the two people originally on our account had long since stopped answering the phone when we called.) This new person told us, "Oh, your stuff is scheduled to be delivered at 8:00 am tomorrow morning. They didn't tell you?" Since we had both just started new jobs, our extended family scrambled to cancel plans and call out of their own work in order to accept delivery on our behalf. We are certain the intent of the people we were dealing with was to claim we were not home and charge us a premium for re-delivery.

Mayflower also send a trucking company with a one-star rating on Better Business Bureau. (We had no knowledge of which trucking company they were going to send and no control over it.) After extorting us on pick up, they delivered a truck full of smashed, dented and damaged boxes. Every single piece of furniture they touched is scratched, chipped, and many look like they were dragged over concrete. Half of our dishes were cracked, many so badly that we could not undo the bubble wrap.

The siding is completely stripped from our wooden bookcases and there are chips in tables and dressers. Finally, our contract included furniture assembly and disassembly. They lost the two screws that hold together our bed frame and left the center support bar lying in the middle of the floor unattached. They then decided to put the heavy storage box springs and mattress on top of the unsupported bed frame and leave. The box springs and mattress were sagging in the middle and completely unsafe to use. We needed to disassemble the mattress and box spring, purchase new screws and put everything together ourselves in order to sleep in our bed. This will also hinder our claim since we are "not supposed to touch" damaged items. The company did not provide a bill of lading on delivery either.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Terrible! Avoid as it will cost you!!!! We called them before Memorial Day 2021 to have someone come give an estimate for a move the week of June 20th. David ** came out 2 weeks later and gave us a quote. A bit pricey stating it was more because it was a last minute booking. Well - if he would have come out 2 weeks prior when we called - it would not have been "last minute". I ultimately decided to go with him because he said our items would be tag and scanned so we could be sure what left our house arrived to our new location. That item tracking was available. LIE.... He also said all employees had background checks.... LIE. He said our move would be treated as white glove. That there would be floor covering to avoid scratches and avoid damage. LIE.

Since our new home wasn't ready, our belongings were being put in their storage facility. He promised my items to be stored in a climate controlled environment. LIES. He said when we were ready to move to give 3 weeks' notice to bring our items to our new location...LIE. When I emailed to complaint about the first part of my move David ignored my note & the coordinator never heard of the things he had promised. Marivel our move coordinator was unorganized & couldn't remember what she stated in prior emails or phone calls. I can't tell you how many times she asked for the same thing or she tried to double talk herself out of things she had said prior.

After my initial move to storage - the handling of my items were not as promised. I submitted a complaint with Leah - whom I never heard from again. When they came to move us they tagged my items but never scanned them - the owner of the truck (not Mayflower) stated her phone was dying and couldn't. Hence the reason for part 2 of my review.

Upon delivery from NJ to SC I called 4 weeks prior to my close date for my new home to schedule the delivery allowing more time than David ** stated. Well - it took 6 weeks. Marivel the coordinator stated it was up to the driver when my things would be delivered. Last I checked - I was the customer who paid over $10k - I would think I should have some say on the delivery time line. Upon my delivery - they laid out the floor coverings to avoid scratching my floors - GREAT. Upon delivery they broke my coffee table right in front of me. He quickly put it back together - OK.

My boxes came looking like they went through a war. There was no way they were kept in climate control environment as promised by David **. You can tell by the coloring of the boxes & how mangled they looked. Some boxes had been repacked by the movers into new boxes as they stated the other ones from UHAUL broke. Clothes that were in wardrobe boxes had been thrown in other boxes. Boxes I had tagged with colored tape had been gone through. Items in undamaged boxes had been rummaged through.

We found items packed from daughter's room in boxes that belonged to my room and vice versa. Items were missing. This is why they didn't tag my items. The boxes had been re-tagged so we couldn't account for boxes. Thank goodness I had a master list. We found when doing their "bingo" card that they had items with duplicate tag numbers. I am missing personal belongings. a 10x 12 rug, a few area rugs to start. They violated my trust, they touched personal items without permission and stole from me. YES Thieves were among them. When I complained - not a word back from anyone. No action - Nothing. Stay away from this company.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Mayflower Company Information

www.mayflower.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: