Call toll free
3.76/5

Margate, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Colonial Van Lines provides long-distance moving services across the continental U.S. Movers specialize in quick, efficient corporate and residential relocations. They offer competitive pricing and require a deposit.

PROS

• Easy booking process
  • Nationwide services
  • Free, instant quotes

CONS

• Deposit required

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

03/24/2019

...They did a really good job in handling my items and I was impressed. Overall, it was an excellent experience with Colonial. They made a tense moment for me very comfortable. I already recommended them to family and friends.

04/04/2019

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Everyone I worked with was helpful and did what they said they would do. Dixie Movers were the subcontractors that did the move. They were professional and courteous. All my belongings were handled with care... Highly recommend. Would definitely use again.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, they have the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
  • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
  • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
  • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?

You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with them to be sure you’re getting the best price. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straight-forward and simple:

1. Request cross-country moving services by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
  2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
  3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobiles app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
  4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust some aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
What is the Colonial Van Lines app?
Colonial Van Lines’ free in-home moving services app makes it easy to get accurate moving cost estimates. You simply upload videos and pictures of your household goods through your phone, and then a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides your personalized moving consultation. You can also order packing materials and access educational resources about moving through the app.
Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues. It’s more difficult to move during certain times of the year in some locations, so this can increase your overall moving price too.
Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. However, Colonial Van Lines will not be liable for items that you pack yourself. If you choose to pack valuable items yourself, you might consider extra insurance for those belongings.
Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
Some Colonial Van Lines complaints reflect discrepancies between price estimates and total charges. All moving brokers and carriers pricing can fluctuate from the original quote or estimate to final delivery for a variety of reasons:
  • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could also account for a discrepancy.
  • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and therefore the cost of moving.
  • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for their labor.
  • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to upcharge when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet. If this charge is factored into the in-house estimate and the movers later determine that they can shorten this distance, your overall price will decrease.

Do we recommend Colonial Van Lines?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, they can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. Most Colonial Van Lines moving reviews are positive. Over 70 percent of verified customers within the last year said they were happy or satisfied with their experience or would recommend Colonial Van Lines to a friend.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Colonial Van Lines' sales rep was informative and responsive. The one who assisted me through the move walked me through pretty clearly how they would charge me and the differences of how they charge versus other movers. The rate they charged me was accurate. The guy was also easy to talk with. We had to go back and forth but he was responsive. Also, Colonial fit into my schedule. The time schedule got a little tight though. He had to get some information to me and he did. There was one slight delay but it all worked out fine. I wound up moving when I needed to move. Overall, he did a good job.

There were a couple of minor issues but nothing to the extent that I would not use Colonial again. With the hiccups we encountered, some were handled better than others. Aside from the sales rep, I also talked with two other people throughout the process. They were trying to get me into a timeslot that was kind of near date. Based on what I told them that we were moving and all the packages, we went through that several times. The guy was very patient with me in doing that.

They charged me a little bit extra - the minimum weight. I was just under that weight though. But they said they would charge me 4,000 pounds because to get onto the truck at this date, that was kinda what they needed to do. I said it was fine. It wasn't a big deal. But they couldn't make the date and they pushed it back two days. At the end of the day, it didn't make a difference. But I was looking for a little recovery on that cost. They doubled the price but they didn't come in on the date they said. I asked that they charge me for what I have but they didn't do that. The sales rep couldn't get that accomplished. I talked to somebody in customer service and that conversation started off a little cranky because they were confirming if the movers came and if I was talking about a different date. I was like, "What are you talking about? We had this date."

It was a little bit of a date issue. Everybody I dealt with was trying to be helpful. My big thing was they charged me for 4,000 pounds when I had 3,000 something pounds. They charged me for a very particular date range and it was two days past that when the movers came. But they explained to me that it was near a holiday and it was the same truck. It was just delayed. I went with it. The movers came within the ultimate window I needed them to come. They also did a really good job so it wasn't a bad experience.

The only person that didn't really do a great job was the woman who had the title of account manager. I was not quite sure when the movers were coming. The logistics person who I was talking to left off saying he would do his best and promised that they would be there by Sunday even though I requested Friday. That was when we last talked. I was supposed to get a call from the account manager 48 hours before the truck came. I never got that call. Process-wise, that's where the improvement should be.

This account manager was a little MIA at times. After the move, she called me about the move as if it didn't happen yet. She didn't have an update or she didn't have the right paperwork. Maybe she was new and she was just making mistakes. But she called me twice after my move to ask me about the prep for the anticipated move. I told her that it's been almost a week later. I had already moved. They came and I was done. That part was the weakest link.

Those two little hiccups aside, I would recommend Colonial. Overall, it was a positive experience. Moving is really difficult, emotional and physically draining. But everything came. Different moving teams came to my home because they do a little handoff. It was a different team that delivered my stuff and when I arrived at my new location. But both teams were super fantastic, especially the guy that came and picked my stuff up. They did a tremendous job. They marked everything and numbered everything. They wrapped things that needed to be wrapped. They really took care of what needed to be taken care of that I didn't have ready. And they didn't charge me a lot. There were no extra charges too.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Richard, Thank you for the positive feedback.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I was in Florida trying to get moved from Alabama. I wanted to just make one trip and not have to go up and meet someone that didn’t even give me an estimate. I went with Colonial Van Lines and my experience with them was excellent from start to finish. Their rep, Anthony, walked me through the process and made something that I was dreading easy. He was really responsive to where he didn’t get agitated with me when I had some anxiety going on. He let me know that they were very common concerns. He also answered every question I had or emails and followed up the email.

We were able to handle everything on the phone and he really made me comfortable because I was a little leery doing it over the phone. I called him at least four times and he gave me answers, so I was able to go ahead and lock in the moving date, set my flight, and make things work for me. I was also able, just by phone, to plan my flight there as well as the packing, pickup and delivery, and everything was right on schedule. Then, I was able to meet the movers there.

Everyone was telling me that I needed to go there and they would give me a quote. But that wasn’t gonna work for me at the time, so I had a company meet me there. But Anthony was able to, over the phone and by getting a list, give me pretty much the same quote within $100 or $200. And the quote was good. It came in under what they initially told me and Anthony told me to probably expect that. I was ready based on the information Anthony gave me in what I needed to do, so everything was there. I felt really great about their ability to do the quote over the phone and for it be as accurate as it was. It helped me with scheduling and it saved me flight money as well as time off of work.

When the movers came in, they introduced themselves and in a matter of hours, they had me packed and ready. The guys were great and they took very good care of packing my dishes and furniture. I watched them pretty much the entire time, in and out, and I didn’t have any issues with them. They also didn’t track dirt or mud in. I was a little concerned with that.

All in all, my experience was awesome. I hope I don’t have to do it again, but I would refer Colonial Van Lines to someone if they were moving. And people were surprised as they said that my furniture was moved twice and it still looks brand new. I expected something to possibly break but not one single item was broken. As I unpacked my boxes, everything was in place. I also had some scratches on there prior but one of the movers brought out his marker and used it on them. Then, he handed it to me and told me to keep it in case I scratch something. And I did make a couple of scratches trying fix some stuff up.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was moving a car and items from my home from Colorado to Oregon. Donna, the coordinator that I was on the phone contact with, was great. She was in touch and always communicating. She would call me and let me know if there were any updates which was good. Her quote was pretty much the same too. The actual move was great. The moving crew was a bit rough with my stuff though and not everything was covered. My couch was full of debris, dust and leaves because it was not clearly covered. My little dining table was scratched on the corner. But the guy was nice and he came at 7:30 PM because they wanted to do an early pickup. So after work, I spent the time from 7:30 to 9:45 helping him move things because he was just by himself, which was kinda strange. It was the first time I used a moving company, and I expected a team of two or three to come and bang this out quick, but that wasn’t the case. So I felt bad for the guy.

They also wanted to move the delivery window being that they had moved the pickup date. It was stressful because I told them specifically that when they pick up the stuff, I wouldn't be in Oregon yet because I would be in Colorado. I was flying the next two days to Oregon to find an apartment. But they wanted to show up a day before, which gave me 24 hours to find a place, which was impossible. They showed up literally on the first day of the window, so I had 48 hours to find an apartment. I asked Donna if we could figure something out, like move the date, but they were having none of it and they said they would be there at 10:00 AM on Thursday. So I flew into Oregon on Tuesday, and I had to sign the lease on Wednesday night.

I feel like Colonial contracts people out and they just organize the move, but they’re not the people that actually do the move. I’m pretty sure that in my case, they set everything up and then they passed it on to a local Colorado company that they hired that gets the move done. I went through Colonial to move my stuff, and these guys from Morales Movers showed up at my door. I was expecting a Colonial Van Line van or truck to come, but then this random budget truck came with this random guy in there. The guy barely spoke English. Maybe Colonial could contract out to a better company or proof the people they hire.

I wish the moving guy was a bit more equipped to be able to better care of my furniture because ultimately, you’re asked to buy insurance or not buy insurance. Obviously, the chances that something is gonna happen to your stuff is minimal, in a sense, so you don’t buy insurance. It’s like 60 cents per pound or per article, and it's kinda weird. So, if I lose a big table, or I get a scratch up on my table, even if it’s a 100-pound table, I'll get $6. It’s just like you don’t wanna buy the insurance. It's not really worth it. Still, overall, as far as the experience from Colonial per se and the organization of things, I’ll use their service again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Colonial has reached out to us because of our concerns and lack of satisfaction. We would like to thank Donna ** for providing a satisfactory resolution to our concerns. We do give 5 stars to the resolution we received. The initial contacts and contract was quite satisfactory, but as the moving process started they altered all arrangements and required thousands more dollars. We moved from PA to WA. Our packing and preparations took months and we updated our list of belonging on the contract as we packed items. We felt comfortable with this mover up until two weeks before our move, when they changed our moving manager two times and forced us to change our pickup date. Since we had sold our house and had a firm closing date, any change in the pickup date was a major issue.

However, we did accommodate their request. They said they would compensate us for this change, which cost us anxiety and $200, but after the move was finally over they merely offered us $50 for this change. On the day they showed up to pick up our belongings they required us to sign a totally new and different contract. It didn’t matter that we had accurately described and detailed all the items that were to be moved. We had to sign this new contract, adding thousands more in moving costs, or they would walk out the door the day before our house closing date. We were forced to accept this new contract. We were forced to agree that the “binding estimate” in the original contract was superseded by this new contract. Overall it cost us $6400 more than our original contract. We felt that this last minute change was their plan all along, in order to squeeze more money out of us.

Our belongings were to be delivered between the 11th and 17th of November. Each day we had to arrange for someone to be available to accept that delivery. But from Nov. 9 through the 15th we were only able to reach a live person at the office twice, and both times they could give us no information on delivery. We left numerous voicemails and emails, but no one would call us back. No one would give us any information. Finally on Nov. 17th one person, the assistant to our move manager, called to say that they would have information on Nov. 19. On that date, two days after all of our belongings were to be delivered; we were told that the delivery would take place the next day. They offered us, after much discussion, a mere $150 for this three day delay.

At one point, weeks earlier, we had asked about the cost of delaying our delivery and were told that a three day delay would cost us $3,304. But because THEY delayed delivery three days they merely offered us $150. The overall move cost more than $20,000 so this $150 is less than 1%, not what we consider a fair offer. Overall we feel this company is not trustworthy. We feel that they did not treat us well. They were not responsive to our many phone calls, and they did not provide the service they had contracted to provide.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I had done my homework to know that Colonial Van Lines was number one according to Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports. And that was what I wanted. I wanted number one because I went through a divorce and I’m single. I was working with a limited amount of money and every dollar counted. I wanted someone who was gonna take care of me. The first person I talked to at Colonial Van Lines was spectacular. But then there were other people who contacted me saying they were my manager. I ended with someone named Tyrone.

I moved from a single bedroom and according to the list that I gave, their expectation was that I would probably have 24 boxes. I had a loan of $5,000 to do this. I was told it was gonna be $2,800 and I knew it would go up but the actual was $5,200, which was more than I had anticipated. I didn't mind that the price went up though. I had a lot of books and heavy, glass-framed artwork. But part of the reason that the price went up was because the time frame of when I was supposed to have the pickup was not met.

The time frame was a two-day thing. Then out of respect to me, Tyrone added a third day, which was before the two days. But he was very clear. He said that he was just trying for me but he didn't expect that it was gonna happen. But what happened was that the people who were scheduled to come bailed the day before. That wasn't Colonial's fault. But it threw my schedule off for two days which meant that my sister could not come with me. She was gonna drive her own car so there was a whole car load of things that would have not been on the truck.

Also, I had scheduled either the 17th or the 18th to have the pickup because the 19th was my last day at the apartment. But what happened was that I couldn’t leave until after that. So I had to pay more money to the apartment people. I had these extra expenses and when I got the phone call to tell me that the pickup had to be delayed, it was from a woman that I hadn’t talked to at all. She was vivacious, vibrant and cheery. She immediately started saying there would be compensations. She didn’t even flinch and at that moment, I wasn’t even thinking about the expense. But I respected and appreciated that. I thought it was why Colonial was number one. They knew how to handle people. But I never heard from her again.

I couldn’t get Tyrone to get back and talk with her either because by the time Tyrone was aware of what was going on, I was saying there was going to be compensation but he said no because the new peole that they had gotten haven't come late. I told him that Colonial Van Lines is number one for a reason. They had taken care of these problems before. This was not new. This has happened before and there’s a plan. It was not my fault and it was not their fault. But it would matter from the point of view of their reputation of being number one that they know how to handle the situation.

I told him there was someone at their office who was gonna know how to handle this and that he needed to talk to somebody. When he called back and said there was no compensation, I told him to check again. Then he asked me how much I wanted. But at that point, I wasn't aware how expensive it was going to be. I told him something in the vicinity of $325. It was again, push, push, push. He said we would deal with it later but I said I wanted to talk to someone right then. In the end, he offered about $125 and I could have had more had I sent him the bill from the apartment. But here's the thing. I didn’t get anything. It was not like, “We’ll give you a little bit now and we’ll give you a little bit more later.” No. There was no money that came to me. Also, one thing that wasn’t clear was that they would not send a Colonial van.

It’s been a tough go but this does happen. And yet, there was not a contingency plan for when that happens. There needs to be. I would love a gift from Colonial Van Lines. They could have given me $300 and although it isn’t gonna able to cover the difference between $2800 to $5200, they would have had a stronger sense of commitment to the customer. I would have been willing to tell that story. Instead, I’ve got a different story to tell.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I did a search online, and Colonial Van Lines came up first, and they had some good rating so I went with them. The coordinator was very good. There was a little difference of $500 between the quote and the final price because of the extra boxes. But then, I didn’t know I had to provide boxes either. So, I provided some boxes and I didn’t have them all. It wasn’t bad. The supervisor and the moving team and the coordinator were all great to work with.

Some of the calculations were pretty far out there but the Colonials Van Lines' supervisor on site did a really job explaining it because I gave him a hard time. I understood it. It was fine. We worked it out. It was worth every penny of what I paid. They showed up on time and the stuff came on time. The young man who was the crew leader on site was great. He had a lot of poise, so I was really very impressed. My colleague moved at the same exact time I did, and the moving company lost her furniture, and she didn’t have furniture for three weeks until they found her stuff. I moved to Delaware and I had my stuff before she had her stuff.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

We were moving from Connecticut to South Carolina to be near my wife's family. I reviewed moving companies and got price quotes from all of them. Colonial had the best price with a company that still had pretty good reviews so I chose them. The coordinator I spoke with was very professional and helpful. Also, the account manager was good. I had everything all prepared before pickup and the expectations set by the coordinator were pretty much right on. Although there's always room for improvement, I will recommend Colonial.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

We are a retired military family that has been moved numerous times but our last move was as civilians arranging it by ourselves. We read reviews, checked the websites of numerous companies and then decided to contact Colonial Van Lines for our move from Louisiana to Texas. The first email we received from Colonial Van Lines for our move (**) was filled with just enough information that it was easy to understand so we decided right then to pick them for the job. The companies move coordinator was knowledgeable and understood what it would take for us to move (from quote to unpacking) made the entire process downright simple. From start to finish, company personnel made sure our move was the best it could be! If we ever have to move again, we'll be using Colonial Van Lines!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Very professional and efficient service. Jessica ** was our moving coordinater and kept me up to date and was helpful and personable. It was a stressful time, but she helped me get through it. Our items were carefully counted, marked and handled with care. I am more than happy with their service and would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I used Colonial when I moved and they were great. I had Steve and Jacekey and they were wonderful. Michelle was great too. But I didn't realize that the quantity of boxes was going to matter. I had small boxes so I ended up having more boxes than the 18 original. I talked to a rep a couple of days before I moved and he had me worried. Because there were so many small boxes, he wanted me to pay $1,000 more. Then he switched me to Michelle and she told me not to worry. I only ended up paying $100 extra. I would recommend Colonial.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information