Call toll free
3.83/5

Margate, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Colonial Van Lines provides long-distance moving services across the continental U.S. Movers specialize in quick, efficient corporate and residential relocations. They offer competitive pricing and require a deposit.

PROS

• Easy booking process
  • Nationwide services
  • Free, instant quotes

CONS

• Deposit required

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

03/24/2019

...They did a really good job in handling my items and I was impressed. Overall, it was an excellent experience with Colonial. They made a tense moment for me very comfortable. I already recommended them to family and friends.

04/04/2019

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Everyone I worked with was helpful and did what they said they would do. Dixie Movers were the subcontractors that did the move. They were professional and courteous. All my belongings were handled with care... Highly recommend. Would definitely use again.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, they have the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
  • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
  • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
  • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?

You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with them to be sure you’re getting the best price. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straight-forward and simple:

1. Request cross-country moving services by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
  2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
  3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobiles app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
  4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust some aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
What is the Colonial Van Lines app?
Colonial Van Lines’ free in-home moving services app makes it easy to get accurate moving cost estimates. You simply upload videos and pictures of your household goods through your phone, and then a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides your personalized moving consultation. You can also order packing materials and access educational resources about moving through the app.
Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues. It’s more difficult to move during certain times of the year in some locations, so this can increase your overall moving price too.
Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. However, Colonial Van Lines will not be liable for items that you pack yourself. If you choose to pack valuable items yourself, you might consider extra insurance for those belongings.
Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
Some Colonial Van Lines complaints reflect discrepancies between price estimates and total charges. All moving brokers and carriers pricing can fluctuate from the original quote or estimate to final delivery for a variety of reasons:
  • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could also account for a discrepancy.
  • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and therefore the cost of moving.
  • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for their labor.
  • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to upcharge when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet. If this charge is factored into the in-house estimate and the movers later determine that they can shorten this distance, your overall price will decrease.

Do we recommend Colonial Van Lines?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, they can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. Most Colonial Van Lines moving reviews are positive. Over 70 percent of verified customers within the last year said they were happy or satisfied with their experience or would recommend Colonial Van Lines to a friend.

1124 Colonial Van Lines Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 15, 2019

I was in Florida trying to get moved from Alabama. I wanted to just make one trip and not have to go up and meet someone that didn’t even give me an estimate. I went with Colonial Van Lines and my experience with them was excellent from start to finish. Their rep, Anthony, walked me through the process and made something that I was dreading easy. He was really responsive to where he didn’t get agitated with me when I had some anxiety going on. He let me know that they were very common concerns. He also answered every question I had or emails and followed up the email.

We were able to handle everything on the phone and he really made me comfortable because I was a little leery doing it over the phone. I called him at least four times and he gave me answers, so I was able to go ahead and lock in the moving date, set my flight, and make things work for me. I was also able, just by phone, to plan my flight there as well as the packing, pickup and delivery, and everything was right on schedule. Then, I was able to meet the movers there.

Everyone was telling me that I needed to go there and they would give me a quote. But that wasn’t gonna work for me at the time, so I had a company meet me there. But Anthony was able to, over the phone and by getting a list, give me pretty much the same quote within $100 or $200. And the quote was good. It came in under what they initially told me and Anthony told me to probably expect that. I was ready based on the information Anthony gave me in what I needed to do, so everything was there. I felt really great about their ability to do the quote over the phone and for it be as accurate as it was. It helped me with scheduling and it saved me flight money as well as time off of work.

When the movers came in, they introduced themselves and in a matter of hours, they had me packed and ready. The guys were great and they took very good care of packing my dishes and furniture. I watched them pretty much the entire time, in and out, and I didn’t have any issues with them. They also didn’t track dirt or mud in. I was a little concerned with that.

All in all, my experience was awesome. I hope I don’t have to do it again, but I would refer Colonial Van Lines to someone if they were moving. And people were surprised as they said that my furniture was moved twice and it still looks brand new. I expected something to possibly break but not one single item was broken. As I unpacked my boxes, everything was in place. I also had some scratches on there prior but one of the movers brought out his marker and used it on them. Then, he handed it to me and told me to keep it in case I scratch something. And I did make a couple of scratches trying fix some stuff up.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was moving a car and items from my home from Colorado to Oregon. Donna, the coordinator that I was on the phone contact with, was great. She was in touch and always communicating. She would call me and let me know if there were any updates which was good. Her quote was pretty much the same too. The actual move was great. The moving crew was a bit rough with my stuff though and not everything was covered. My couch was full of debris, dust and leaves because it was not clearly covered. My little dining table was scratched on the corner. But the guy was nice and he came at 7:30 PM because they wanted to do an early pickup. So after work, I spent the time from 7:30 to 9:45 helping him move things because he was just by himself, which was kinda strange. It was the first time I used a moving company, and I expected a team of two or three to come and bang this out quick, but that wasn’t the case. So I felt bad for the guy.

They also wanted to move the delivery window being that they had moved the pickup date. It was stressful because I told them specifically that when they pick up the stuff, I wouldn't be in Oregon yet because I would be in Colorado. I was flying the next two days to Oregon to find an apartment. But they wanted to show up a day before, which gave me 24 hours to find a place, which was impossible. They showed up literally on the first day of the window, so I had 48 hours to find an apartment. I asked Donna if we could figure something out, like move the date, but they were having none of it and they said they would be there at 10:00 AM on Thursday. So I flew into Oregon on Tuesday, and I had to sign the lease on Wednesday night.

I feel like Colonial contracts people out and they just organize the move, but they’re not the people that actually do the move. I’m pretty sure that in my case, they set everything up and then they passed it on to a local Colorado company that they hired that gets the move done. I went through Colonial to move my stuff, and these guys from Morales Movers showed up at my door. I was expecting a Colonial Van Line van or truck to come, but then this random budget truck came with this random guy in there. The guy barely spoke English. Maybe Colonial could contract out to a better company or proof the people they hire.

I wish the moving guy was a bit more equipped to be able to better care of my furniture because ultimately, you’re asked to buy insurance or not buy insurance. Obviously, the chances that something is gonna happen to your stuff is minimal, in a sense, so you don’t buy insurance. It’s like 60 cents per pound or per article, and it's kinda weird. So, if I lose a big table, or I get a scratch up on my table, even if it’s a 100-pound table, I'll get $6. It’s just like you don’t wanna buy the insurance. It's not really worth it. Still, overall, as far as the experience from Colonial per se and the organization of things, I’ll use their service again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Colonial has reached out to us because of our concerns and lack of satisfaction. We would like to thank Donna ** for providing a satisfactory resolution to our concerns. We do give 5 stars to the resolution we received. The initial contacts and contract was quite satisfactory, but as the moving process started they altered all arrangements and required thousands more dollars. We moved from PA to WA. Our packing and preparations took months and we updated our list of belonging on the contract as we packed items. We felt comfortable with this mover up until two weeks before our move, when they changed our moving manager two times and forced us to change our pickup date. Since we had sold our house and had a firm closing date, any change in the pickup date was a major issue.

However, we did accommodate their request. They said they would compensate us for this change, which cost us anxiety and $200, but after the move was finally over they merely offered us $50 for this change. On the day they showed up to pick up our belongings they required us to sign a totally new and different contract. It didn’t matter that we had accurately described and detailed all the items that were to be moved. We had to sign this new contract, adding thousands more in moving costs, or they would walk out the door the day before our house closing date. We were forced to accept this new contract. We were forced to agree that the “binding estimate” in the original contract was superseded by this new contract. Overall it cost us $6400 more than our original contract. We felt that this last minute change was their plan all along, in order to squeeze more money out of us.

Our belongings were to be delivered between the 11th and 17th of November. Each day we had to arrange for someone to be available to accept that delivery. But from Nov. 9 through the 15th we were only able to reach a live person at the office twice, and both times they could give us no information on delivery. We left numerous voicemails and emails, but no one would call us back. No one would give us any information. Finally on Nov. 17th one person, the assistant to our move manager, called to say that they would have information on Nov. 19. On that date, two days after all of our belongings were to be delivered; we were told that the delivery would take place the next day. They offered us, after much discussion, a mere $150 for this three day delay.

At one point, weeks earlier, we had asked about the cost of delaying our delivery and were told that a three day delay would cost us $3,304. But because THEY delayed delivery three days they merely offered us $150. The overall move cost more than $20,000 so this $150 is less than 1%, not what we consider a fair offer. Overall we feel this company is not trustworthy. We feel that they did not treat us well. They were not responsive to our many phone calls, and they did not provide the service they had contracted to provide.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We had two homes. We had sold the one in North Carolina and were moving back to our other home in Maryland. I googled movers for the area and Colonial Van Lines was high in the list. And Colonial was wonderful. Hurricane Florence hit in the middle of this thing and we were in Southport, North Carolina, which is right where it hit. So I had to go back and forth with Colonial about three times and they were very flexible with our dates because of extenuating circumstances that were totally beyond our control.

When that hurricane hit, we were up here in Maryland. But the settlement on the condo that we were selling was delayed. Plus the elevator was out for over a week, waiting on parts, and Colonial couldn't have moved us without the elevator. Then we decided we would leave everything down there and pay through the end of the year or we would move back to Maryland whenever they opened I-95 again. I talked with the moving coordinator a lot about all that, as well as on the payment side of things. It was a massive move, about 15,000 pounds. We had about 200 boxes and the weight of the move ended up being heavier than we thought. They took it in chunks as we figured out what was going on.

With it being a large move, they wanted to bring an 18-wheeler. I told them they were okay getting an 18-wheeler into the condo complex in North Carolina but that they were gonna have a really tough time getting it into the condo complex here in Maryland. So somebody went out, looked at the configuration and said that I was right. They listened to what I said then they asked about bringing two trucks plus a tow trailer and it worked out. That was beautiful.

They showed up when they said they were going to. And it felt so good to see seven men walking around the corner because I had been handling this thing by myself. I was so grateful that they were there. The guy that managed the team told me that he was there to make me happy, whatever I wanted them to do. I had been packing for about two weeks and was exhausted. So they allowed me time to run the cable boxes up an hour away and turn those back in. Then they packed my kitchen and my China cabinet for me because I didn't have any more energy to do any of that. They were just wonderful. They even reassembled everything afterwards. They did a great job. Colonial Van Lines is first rate. It was absolutely excellent service and I was very pleased with them.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I had done my homework to know that Colonial Van Lines was number one according to Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports. And that was what I wanted. I wanted number one because I went through a divorce and I’m single. I was working with a limited amount of money and every dollar counted. I wanted someone who was gonna take care of me. The first person I talked to at Colonial Van Lines was spectacular. But then there were other people who contacted me saying they were my manager. I ended with someone named Tyrone.

I moved from a single bedroom and according to the list that I gave, their expectation was that I would probably have 24 boxes. I had a loan of $5,000 to do this. I was told it was gonna be $2,800 and I knew it would go up but the actual was $5,200, which was more than I had anticipated. I didn't mind that the price went up though. I had a lot of books and heavy, glass-framed artwork. But part of the reason that the price went up was because the time frame of when I was supposed to have the pickup was not met.

The time frame was a two-day thing. Then out of respect to me, Tyrone added a third day, which was before the two days. But he was very clear. He said that he was just trying for me but he didn't expect that it was gonna happen. But what happened was that the people who were scheduled to come bailed the day before. That wasn't Colonial's fault. But it threw my schedule off for two days which meant that my sister could not come with me. She was gonna drive her own car so there was a whole car load of things that would have not been on the truck.

Also, I had scheduled either the 17th or the 18th to have the pickup because the 19th was my last day at the apartment. But what happened was that I couldn’t leave until after that. So I had to pay more money to the apartment people. I had these extra expenses and when I got the phone call to tell me that the pickup had to be delayed, it was from a woman that I hadn’t talked to at all. She was vivacious, vibrant and cheery. She immediately started saying there would be compensations. She didn’t even flinch and at that moment, I wasn’t even thinking about the expense. But I respected and appreciated that. I thought it was why Colonial was number one. They knew how to handle people. But I never heard from her again.

I couldn’t get Tyrone to get back and talk with her either because by the time Tyrone was aware of what was going on, I was saying there was going to be compensation but he said no because the new peole that they had gotten haven't come late. I told him that Colonial Van Lines is number one for a reason. They had taken care of these problems before. This was not new. This has happened before and there’s a plan. It was not my fault and it was not their fault. But it would matter from the point of view of their reputation of being number one that they know how to handle the situation.

I told him there was someone at their office who was gonna know how to handle this and that he needed to talk to somebody. When he called back and said there was no compensation, I told him to check again. Then he asked me how much I wanted. But at that point, I wasn't aware how expensive it was going to be. I told him something in the vicinity of $325. It was again, push, push, push. He said we would deal with it later but I said I wanted to talk to someone right then. In the end, he offered about $125 and I could have had more had I sent him the bill from the apartment. But here's the thing. I didn’t get anything. It was not like, “We’ll give you a little bit now and we’ll give you a little bit more later.” No. There was no money that came to me. Also, one thing that wasn’t clear was that they would not send a Colonial van.

It’s been a tough go but this does happen. And yet, there was not a contingency plan for when that happens. There needs to be. I would love a gift from Colonial Van Lines. They could have given me $300 and although it isn’t gonna able to cover the difference between $2800 to $5200, they would have had a stronger sense of commitment to the customer. I would have been willing to tell that story. Instead, I’ve got a different story to tell.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Resolution response: Aug. 20, 2019

I was contacted by the company's resolutions department and an appology was offered as well as financial compensation for my cancelled move. I can only bump up one star.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I booked an interstate move with Colonial Van Lines 4 weeks before my move. I was contacted by the company the Friday before my pick up and told my truck broke down. The day of my pick up, 4 days after they learned that the truck broke down, they still had not found a truck for me. At 3pm the day of my pick up, still no truck and I had to be out of my apartment in 2 days. They told me that they might have a truck for that Thursday afternoon. I had told them multiple times that I had to be out by Thursday morning.

When I spoke with the cancellation department the guy actually said the military complain the most when moves are cancelled. He clearly does not care to understand that military members must comply with orders. Delaying my move was not an option. I will encourage all service members to avoid Colonial Van Lines. They do not support our military. I ended up having to rent a truck and hired movers to help load. Colonial Van Lines made this the most stressful move I have ever had.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Colonial Van Lines has been a total and complete nightmare. It sickens me to know they have our household items in their possession. They are unorganized, dishonest and unprofessional. To make this EXPENSIVE move even more nauseating we picked this company based on their Google reviews. They offered me cash to change my 1 star review. Then I looked on other sites, turns out they also paid other customers to change their reviews. This is a really terribly run company. Do not trust your move to them.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

We hired Colonial to move our household contents and one car from Syracuse, NY to Savannah, GA in April 2019. It is now August 2019. From beginning to end it was a disaster. They subcontracted the move to a company in NY City. They showed up late and had to do a rush job of packing. They lost the car. I had to do my own legwork to locate it because Colonial was unable to locate it, and it was delivered five days late.

They broke several items, and they lost a number of boxes, chairs, pieces of exercise equipment, family heirlooms (that can never be replaced), power and hand tools, kitchen appliances, etc. They keep lying about delivering lost items just to keep us off their backs. They have in effect stolen from us and are hoping that we give up. Colonial takes no ownership of the problems that they caused. I cannot stress enough my disappointment with Colonial.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

For retirement reasons, we moved from Michigan to North Carolina. We had a good experience with Colonial Van Lines. We liked their price and efficiency. They were also computerized and they just had things. We moved a lot smoother. Their person who assisted us was also good although we had very little contact with her once everything got set up with. It was more with the driver and he was great.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

Colonial Van Lines quoted me a price that I liked and their reps were all very nice. But there were a lot of phone calls. I felt like there was a phone call every day to reach out for something. The services and expectations they set were pretty accurate although my quote bid almost doubled. That was expected though as my furniture were heavy. The delivery people were nice and pretty efficient. But there were some damages that I didn’t bother to claim. There were scratches and things like that on the furniture. There were things missing on bikes too. But they were just not worth reporting and going through the whole process to get them fixed.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information