toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving apartments from Minnesota to California for my job so I googled Colonial Van Lines on the internet. I got a quote from them and they called me back fast. They told me everything about the process and all the expected fees. The services and expectations set by the moving coordinator were very accurate. Everything was as expected. The account manager who assisted during the move was very helpful. He told me every detail and his crew called me at least four or five times before pickup and during delivery. They picked up my stuff on the date they promised and gave me an estimated delivery date and were right on date. All my stuff came without any damage, too. Then they called me after delivery so I was really impressed. I've heard horror stories about interstate moving but I was impressed with Colonial Van Lines. I recommended it to a couple of my coworkers as I was satisfied with the service.

Colonial helped me move recently from Iowa to Pennsylvania. Colonial, which I didn't know at the time, is a broker for moving companies. Being in HR I know full well how important a good broker is. Colonial was incredibly thorough, incredibly organized and did their absolute best--almost to the point of exhaustion--to make sure they had every detail, looked over more than 3, 4, even 5 times and then a FINAL check. I mean, they were thorough, and when you're moving, you don't want even ONE surprise.

I really was overwhelmed with my move as it was a company relocation and I knew I had a budget to work within, so when I found Colonial and began working with them, I didn't want to even shop around because going through inventory is exhausting. Lucky for me, they were perfect from the beginning. Because I didn't have the time or energy to try and shop around, I was putting my move in their hands and they delivered... Literally. I'd recommend them as they do everything they can to keep you calm, protected, and incredibly informed so there are no surprises. Job well done!

Diane,
Our team sincerely appreciates and thanks you for your awesome review! We at Colonial Van Lines hold ourselves to the highest of standards when it comes to customer service and customer satisfaction. And, we are both flattered as well as delighted to learn that we were able to make your recent relocation a flawless experience.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

My husband got estimates from a few different lines, and a neighbor of ours told us about Colonial Van Lines and he said the reviews online were good. We then decided to use Colonial Van Lines. Their pricing was also comparable to the others. We were moving to a different state, and we had to have our items put in storage for almost four months because our home sold quickly and the new house wasn't ready yet. We don't have any complaints with the moving. It was all very smooth. The quote ended up costing a little more since there were some items that were over the weight.

All in all verybody at Colonial was so professional. They were easy to reach when we had to make phone calls back. They kept in touch with us. We moved from New Jersey to North Carolina the day that they delivered my items in North Carolina, and I got a call from them to make sure that the movers showed. Everybody was on top of everything. The mover told us where he was and when he was coming, and about what time. Then, his supervisor called as well. There was very good communication.

Dan
Thank you for taking the time to share your long distance moving experience with our current and future customers. Customer satisfaction is our top priority and we are pleased to hear you were satisfied with the moving services you received. If you or someone you know is in need of a cross country mover, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: Oct. 30, 2016

I've moved with Colonial Van Lines a couple times and I'm willing to do it again. I called about six moving companies to begin with and I went with Colonial considering a combination of price and the clarity with which my questions were answered. I talked with James who was very good at letting me know what I needed to do and what the timeline would look like. They're also willing to lock into a much tighter move date than some of the others. Others were saying 10 to 14-day window and that was way too much.

I talked to two different people about the weight then they sent out an inspector to do a visual inspection and give an estimate. Everybody high balled it a little bit so that the actual amount and the actual weight was less than the estimate by 200 pounds. Even so, everything went on time which was the most important part. It was quick and the actual team of movers were very good and careful with things. We had a couple of minor breaks but not too much. I thought there would be more last-minute problems but it turned out to be very smooth. They exceeded expectations.

Elaine,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience in regards to the services provided for your recent relocation. We appreciate the time you have spent doing so and we wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: Oct. 18, 2016

I was shipping from Clarks Summit to Florida and Colonial Van Lines made it very easy for me. I didn't have to do any paperwork. I called them and they took care of all the details for me. The lady that got the furniture was thrilled with them. She wrote me a nice email and said that she's never had such a nice experience. The people were very cordial, friendly and did a great job and the furniture arrived perfectly. It was an excellent experience and I was really pleased with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

This is my 2nd move with Colonial Van Lines, and needless to say, when someone chooses a service for 2nd time, of course they provide really good service. Although 1 item (a cheap book shelf) came broken during my 1st move, but during my recent move from Florida to NY (Job no **), not only all the items were scratch-less, but also the delivery was within just 4 days! Couldn't ask for more. Extremely pleased. Will surely look for them if needed again in future.

Grant,
Thank you for taking the time to share your long distance relocation story with our current and future customers. Customer satisfaction is our top priority at Colonial Van Lines and we are pleased to learn we executed the move to your satisfaction. If you or someone you know is in need of moving services let us know and we will be more than happy to extend the same level of service we provided to you.
Best wishes,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

I was relocating for work, moving from Moorhead, Minnesota to San Diego, California and Colonial Van Lines was the first one to call me and run through things so I ended up with them. Their moving coordinator and I talked a couple of times and we went over all the things to be packed and moved, so I could get an accurate calculation and then I received a competitive quote from them. So far, the expectations set were very accurate.

Danny,
Thank you for taking the time to share your relocation experience with both our future and current customers. Customer satisfaction is our top priority, so to learn of your experience lets us know we are continuing to make strides in the right direction. If you or someone you know is in need of relocation assistance now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I was looking at a couple of different companies and saw that Colonial had good ratings and it sounded like they were trustworthy. After discussing and getting a quote with them, I found them very professional and able to give me good, realistic answers on what can be done and they helped me through the process. They were able to answer all of my questions and it took us back and forth but they were willing to work with me to get everything straightened out. Overall, I was pretty happy and I thought they did a good job.

Mrs. Moore,

Colonial Van Lines is thrilled to learn of your recent successful long distance relocation. Customer satisfaction is crucial to our operation and feedback such as yours lets us know we are on the right track. We sincerely appreciate your wonderful feedback and wish you the best of luck at your new home.

Warm Regards,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

The representatives at Colonial were very helpful, knowledgeable, friendly and courteous. They remained in constant contact with me up to and throughout the move. My movers were also friendly. They worked efficiently and quickly by first assessing what there was to move and then getting things dismantled, packing the TV's and everything loaded up quickly. I was quite pleased with the services.

Eileen,
Colonial Van Lines sincerely appreciates the time you took to leave your review. Customer satisfaction is our main concern and it is feedback like yours which lets us know we are on the right track.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: July 6, 2016

We were closing out my mother's home so I was moving some of her select furniture to my home in Nashville. I researched several companies and I looked at Colonial's price and their reviews and they were good. Additionally, their responsiveness, answering my questions and making me feel confident led me to choose them. I had everything packaged except the furniture. They shipped the furniture itself. I had the lamps protected by bubble wrap and boxed them. I was home when they came and I directed them in terms of what needed to go and then they packed it up.

What was most impressive was I was given a two-hour window instead of a day so we would still be here. They also called me earlier in the morning to be a little more precise about it and I thought that was excellent. They had given an early morning delivery time of 7:00 to 9:00. The driver called me about 10:00 and I asked where they were and he said they were on their way and will arrive between 5:00 and 7:00. There was a mix-up but I didn't even care because they were so responsive and good at communicating and staying connected. Then the driver called me on the way and said he'll be there at 5:30 and he came on time. So, it was very good.

If anything was broken, I would have been upset. But they also talked about how I was going to fill out a form and what I needed to do. I knew everything, what was going to happen and what I needed to do. My experience with them was above my expectation. It was like they’re almost too good to be true. I also never expected the kind of follow up that I got. It was outstanding.

Mindy,
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to share your positive moving experience with our current and future customers. We appreciate your feedback and we wish you the best of luck in your new state and home.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: June 25, 2016

We've used Colonial Van Lines a couple of times and we've really liked them. We have moved from one house to another. Also, my daughter bought a lot of stuff in Scottsdale, Arizona, stored them, and then moved them to Chicago. The people who wrap the items are really good-natured. Everything was done to perfection and they checked all the time. We recommend them. Our friends have used them, too.

Aaron,
Thank you for sharing your positive moving experience with our present and future customers. We are delighted to learn that you were satisfied with our service and performance.
Warm Regards,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: June 21, 2016

I had never done a cross-country move before, but Colonial Van Lines made it easy and handled it professionally. The moving coordinator was always accessible and answered all of my questions. The moving team on the pick-up was friendly and very careful with all of my items. The delivery team was friendly and efficient. Everything was packed well enough to travel 1,000 miles and arrived at my destination just fine. This is clearly a very professional company that I would use again.

Sandra,
Thank you for your feedback. Colonial Van Lines always aims to provide our customers with an optimal customer service experience. It is comments like yours that let us know we are meeting our ultimate goal of complete customer satisfaction.

Original review: June 17, 2016

Our move from Vermont to NJ was one that we undertook with trepidation, as we were concerned about the condition of our possessions in our storage unit. This had been packed literally floor to ceiling, wall to wall, for 10x15x10. We could not begin to explore the situation, but by the smell when we did open the unit we knew there was water exposure.

Our previous experience with moving companies ranged from experiencing fraud, lack of respect, inflated rates over quotes, and destroyed property. We were very nervous when we began to work with you. David ** was our contact and he represented your company at its best. He reviewed information with us then checked to make sure we understood what he said. He was available as we needed him for information and reassurance. Your office provided us with insurance for our one of a kind, handmade bedroom set. The rates were respectable.

The contracted moving people also were professional and took good care of our property. While I am sure this was not a large move in their experience, and they were handling water-damaged property, they treated us and our belongings with respect, and were a good reflection of your business and on your business name. All in all our moving experience insofar as Colonial Van Lines was concerned was a good experience. We would gladly recommend your business to future customers.

Pamela and Amanda,
Our team would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to share your moving experience with our current and future customers. We appreciate and value your feedback. And, thank you for allowing Colonial Van Lines to service your moving and relocation needs.
Best Regards,

Original review: June 17, 2016

This was my 1st long distance move & Colonial Van Lines was awesome. From getting my estimate to receiving my furniture the company was very helpful, informative & courteous. I was extremely pleased & would recommend them highly.

Yen Hsun,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with our current and future customers. We at Colonial Van Lines take customer satisfaction very seriously and it prides us to learn of your successful long distance move.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: June 15, 2016

Colonial Van Lines has fair prices and their services are very quick. In fact, their feedback and response are very quick. They called me two days ahead saying what time and day they will arrive. The moving coordinator was very accurate, and we had very good communication.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called around, got some prices, and I ended up with Colonial Van Lines. Their moving coordinator was very good. Their service and their quote were very accurate. They were very well prepared with the delivery as well. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Colonial Van Lines handled a cross country move for my 20 year old son from Bronx NY to CO. I had no experience with a move like this and was nervous about the whole thing. They held my hand from beginning to end and delivered without a hitch. They did everything they said they would and made sure I understood everything I needed to. I didn't need to worry!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was trying to do a cross-country move and Colonial Van Lines was one of the resources that appeared when I searched for cross-country movers. They were the least sketchy among them. Their customer service reps were fantastic and I had a phenomenal experience with the account manager that assisted me. They were a fantastic group of movers.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I initially set up the service with Colonial Van Lines, I was told I didn't have to box up my artwork or buy the expensive boxes, so it's going to be a lot cheaper. However, after I had already signed, I was told I had to. It was misleading, and it cost me about $350 extra. I've been waiting for a final invoice or final receipt, and I have never received one. On the other hand, the rep was good. The head of the movers was good too, but one of the people that helped with the loading appeared to be drunk. He was sent away, though, and they got someone else in his place.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A friend of mine who had a move date already scheduled told me that she was very impressed with the customer service when she signed up with Colonial for the move. So, I didn’t do any research and went with Colonial. Everything went well and I really don’t have any complaints. As far as being on time and handling everything, the customer service, their attitudes and their professionalism, they were spot-on. My guys were great on the front end and I had two different guys on the back end. They did everything I asked them to do. Not one thing was broken or scratched. They put everything where I wanted it.

I had one instance where I tried to call the moving coordinator, Tom, because the guys were gonna be late like 9:00 at night. It’s too dark at my house and it was past the time frame that they gave me where they would show up. So I declined the receipt of the goods and they came the next morning. I wanted John, our customer service guy, to know that I had declined it and why. But when I called him back, he was busy and some operator answered and I didn’t want to talk to her as I talked to enough different people. I didn’t really appreciate her attitude and she could have been better. But, John was great. When I finally talked to Tom, I reported to him the phone incident and he wasn’t very happy about it.

My friend who initially referred me to them had a horrendous experience. But mine was completely opposite of hers. I hate it for her. A move is stressful even when it goes perfectly. They made their effort to get me to accept the delivery that night because I’m sure they had another one to do. I just held firm and they were fine with it. They held up their politeness, courtesy, and their professionalism.

However, they contract out the move and they don’t really say that. And so, when the folks show up in unmarked trucks, it’s a little unsettling. There’s nothing in their work that shows they're from Colonial Van Lines wherein all the receipts and stuff that I got were from the contracted mover. I think they should tell everybody in advance because it bothered me and my friend. She knew that it was gonna happen because I told her. I ended up moving before she did. If only they just acknowledge it on the front end. My guys pulled up in a U-Haul and a Penske. And so, if anybody would ask me who I use, I would tell them about my experience as well as my friend’s. And I would tell them not to expect anybody to show up in a Colonial truck.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines was the first one that I saw when I was searching through the internet for moving companies. The moving coordinator and the guys who came out and moved my things were pretty good. In fact, all was good. I’m happy and satisfied that it's done.

This was a fairly small move of 2500 lbs of furniture and pre-packed boxes. Colonial coordinated this move. They kept me updated, thoroughly going over all my options and paperwork necessary to complete the move. All representatives I spoke to were friendly and professional. The moving van was from a separate company that Colonial uses frequently. They arrived a little ahead of their scheduled time with 2 men. They were professional and respectful of the antique furniture pieces to be moved. The truck was weighed prior to arrival for pick up and they showed me the weight slip upon request. I had added more items to my move after the initial estimate and expected the cost to go up. I was updated with the weight of my move the next day and told the additional cost.

Prior to the move, I was informed of overweight charges per pound if this happened. The same 2 men stayed with the same truck during the move. They arrived at our home in New Hampshire about the middle of their delivery window. Again, the same 2 men offloaded the truck and placed all furniture pieces and boxes where directed. They carefully unwrapped the furniture and reassembled anything if needed. There was no damage to anything during this move. This move was very well coordinated and Colonial kept me informed all along the way.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial was available on the dates, so I went with them. The moving coordinator was very good and so are the people that came out and move my personal belongings. They were prepared, on time, and professional. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband and I had talked about moving for a long time. I have a son that lives here and we’ve visited him lots of times, and we liked the town so we moved closer to him. My husband was looking at other moving lines then and Colonial Van Lines contacted us. Because of the price that they offered for moving from Fresno, California to Tucson, Arizona we chose them. Their moving coordinator was very professional and kept us informed either by phone or e-mail. Their dispatcher let us know approximately when the moving van would get there. When the actual movers were coming, they contacted us too. Another person also contacted us in terms of quality control. It was a continuous good flow of good communication. They were right on time in terms of date and timeline that they said they'd be here. They were courteous and efficient. There were a few things that were slightly damaged but not a big deal.

Jennifer,
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your wonderful moving experience with our online customers. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we wish you the best of luck on all future endeavors.

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

I needed to move a couple of pieces of furniture and some boxes from Pennsylvania to Florida because of a job. Colonial Van Lines originally gave me the best price so I decided to go to them. The move went pretty smoothly but the prices, in the end, turned out to be a lot higher than I had anticipated. There were a lot of little additional charges that I did not expect. The moving coordinator, Donna, was very good and answered all my questions thoroughly along the way and did a lot of the explanation. Everything was already packed up and ready to go for them. The delivery was a little bit rough because the driver had said one thing to me but then when I called, they weren’t sure if that was still going to be the date. There was a little bit of confusion but it all worked out in the end. I got a phone call from Donna and she straightened everything out and apologized for the whole thing.

It was a quick move. I had to get down here and start work all within a couple of days and they were able to get my stuff here before I even started the job so it was okay. But I was a little dissatisfied when I was told not to take apart my bed or anything because they told me that whatever the guys took apart they would put back together upon delivery and that was not the case. They took apart the queen-sized bed that I had but when they came and dropped it off they just left it and it was up to me and my 78-year-old mother to put this bed back together since they told me they don’t do that. So that was a little disheartening with the whole process.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I considered the cost factors when comparing to other movers. When I inquired, other movers said that they were outsourcing other people with another vendor. So when I talked to Colonial Van Lines, I thought it won't be very complicated and I found them more reliable than others. They gave me a quote that was within our budget when compared to other movers. But after the actual move happened, they said that I had crossed the weight limit even though I didn't have too much of inventory on my list. So I thought it would be below 2,000 pounds. Other than that, the communication from them was good. They provided all the details and they communicated with me whenever I had an issue or if they have some updates. The pickup came before my expected date and they told me that they would be arriving earlier than what was communicated. But then I have packed most of my things and have prepared so it didn't cause an issue for me.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Colonial Van Lines coordinator that estimated the move was way off, but that's probably not his fault. It seemed like they come in too low and then they charge us later on, which I wasn't impressed with. I would've liked a closer estimate of the weight of all the stuff we gave them. It came in at $8,700 and it was actually $10,000. But the two guys that work for the carrier of the move was great. The manager's name was Chris and he also did a great job.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had used Colonial Van Lines three years ago when I moved from Maryland to Nevada. When I moved from Nevada to Texas, I put my info on the web and they were responsive. They called quickly and it worked out quite well because I still had the furniture list from my first move three years ago and it was basically the same, so it was quick to make the furniture list. I read off what I had to the moving coordinator and adjusted it according to my current furniture.

But, I had to do a bit of communication to their account manager because my home phone was out of commission as I was in transport from Nevada to Texas then. For a while, it was communicating by email and then by cellphone. I was 99 percent packed but there were some lampshades that they helped me with. Overall, the move went very easy. They put my furniture on the semi even though I have a small load, and so it was the same crew that picked up and delivered. They were nice, very pleasant and worked very hard.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My in-laws passed away four years ago and their stuff was put in the storage. My sister-in-law was paying rental on the storage shed and decided she couldn’t pay for it anymore. My wife did not want her parents’ furniture to go up on the auction block. So we got a hold of Colonial. My wife coordinated with someone down in San Antonio and just based on an estimate of what furniture we had, they gave us an estimate of the cost. They went up to Illinois, got into the locker, packed up all the furniture that was in there because they were nice Ethan Allen stuff, and then shipped down here to us. After they loaded and did a weighing of the stuff, it turned out it wasn’t as much as they thought it was so they turned around and refunded some of the cost of the move. The move was faster than we thought. We thought it was going to be a week for it to get down here, but it only took a couple of days so we were happy with it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

There was only one thing that got broken and it was a fragile piece of glass that Colonial Van Lines packed. But other than that, everything was smooth. They seemed professional, and things went as scheduled. I would recommend them.