Get a Quote

2. Movers

Margate, FL

4.2/5 (303 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… They just hustled. There wasn't a thing damaged and nothing was lost. My family moved from California to Massachusetts to Houston, Texas. We're familiar with movers and they wer...

Verified

… The coordinator was thorough. Things changed once we got stuff loaded and reweighed, but there was constant communication. If anything changed, it was easy to call them and fix ...

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. The company is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, it has the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
    • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
    • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
    • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines' relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
    Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
    Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
    Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines costs

Colonial Van Lines pricing depends on your location and the weight of your belongings. Movers charge additional fees for express delivery, additional moving insurance and storage. Expect to pay more if the movers have to park more than 75 feet from your doorway or if they have to navigate stairs. We were quoted a range from $1,550 to $3,100 to move the contents of a three-bedroom house from Chicago to Houston when booking two months in advance.

Colonial Van Lines now offers a free in-home moving services app to help. You can upload pictures and videos of your household goods and request special services through your phone, and a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides a quote. You can also order packing materials and access moving tips and checklists through the app.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
    Many Colonial Van Lines complaints are left by customers who were annoyed that their estimate was lower than what they actually ended up paying. In some cases, initial estimates were more than $1,000 off. Colonial Van Lines’ pricing can fluctuate from the original quote for a variety of reasons:
    • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could account for a change in the final cost of a move.
    • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and, therefore, the cost of moving.
    • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than they initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for the labor.
    • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to charge extra when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet or if they have to climb stairs.
    How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?
    You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with the company. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straightforward:
    1. Request information by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
    2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, the date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
    3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobile app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
    4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust any aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
    Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
    It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues.
    Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
    Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. Keep in mind, however, that it may be more difficult to make a claim against Colonial Van Lines for a damaged valuable if you packed it yourself.
    What is the Colonial Cubes moving container service?
    Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for both do-it-yourself and full-service packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,500 pounds.

Colonial Cubes can be a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Chicago
    • Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
    • Garner, N.C.
    • Killeen, Texas
    • Los Angeles
    • Sacramento, Calif.
    • Seattle
    • Wyckoff, N.J.

Is Colonial Van Lines a good moving company?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, it can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. The family-owned company has over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry. The business claims to facilitate 12,000 moves each year. Overall, most of the company’s reviews and ratings are positive.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: July 16, 2021

I spoke with the first customer rep, and he filled me in, gave me all the information, explained everything, and sent the paperwork that needed to be signed. I then had a lot of correspondence back and forth between the mover, the driver, and the dispatch. Sometimes it got a little confusing ‘cause there were so many hands stirring the pot, and I didn't know who it was that I needed to reach out to. It was fine when I finally spoke to the driver, but then I had somebody else call me. She said she's the case manager, barely had any information for me. When I called back and spoke to somebody else, I wasn't able to get in touch with her when I had a question for her to advise her about the incorrect quantity of boxes that were supposed to be added.

By that time, the price increased. From paying about $7,000, we went up to 14,000. That was a bit much for boxes and no furniture. Apparently, there was a disconnect when I went back and forth with a few other people telling them that there were more boxes than there were initially, which is why it increased the price. Also, the truck that they sent over wasn't large enough, so it was a little crazy trying to fit everything in there.

We moved the whole house and we packed everything. They were mostly boxes and we had it all put in one area for the movers. They came from a different stop and they ended up coming late in the day, but it was quick. They did the job in one evening and then got on the road the next day. It took them two days because they needed to stop. They couldn't drive straight through due to timing. For the most part, Colonial Van Lines was good and it worked out well. One thing that was disappointing was that they didn't take American Express. They said, "No. For this initial down payment, we need to take it via Visa and Mastercard but no American Express." They told me that the final payment can be taken by American Express, but that wasn't the case, so that was a bit confusing.

Hi Rima,

We value your positive feedback and wanted to let you know that your comments have been reviewed and that we appreciate your time with us here at Colonial Van Lines. Have agreat day!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I liked Colonial's price per pound. They were accurate. All I had to do was pack my boxes and someone would pick them up for me, and then they described what services they can provide in terms of additional packing. Whatever I named, they had an answer for it. So, if I had to have picture frames packed, they prepared for that, or if there were appliances involved, they were prepared for that. It was basic. You can tell that when you ship with Colonial, there is not a lot of overhead, and they do less than truckload brokerage. What I had is an entire truck to myself and I had three people working to cart myself out of the house. All that for $1 a pound, and they were at the destination within three days of departure. That is like FedEx-ing your stuff.

One thing where people get confused or have after-moving complaints is that their estimate of weight is off. What I did was, because of COVID, I cheated a bit. I had a North American Van guy come out and do a weight estimate because those still do in-person estimates. Then, I took his labor and work and then supplied that bid to Colonial. That is because they came in at a different price because they don't offer in-person weight estimates. So, as a consumer, you look at your refrigerator and you know it's heavy, but you have no idea if it's 300 or 550 pounds. The weight estimate is what is key. And I've looked at people complain about Colonial is that because after their stuff was dropped off, the truck is weighed in route, and then they get an accurate assessment of what they are actually going to be charged for shipment. So, if there was a way that they could supply consumers an accurate way to estimate weights.

If consumers are going to move appliances, stove is this, washer is that, dryer is that, movers should have an idea. And then, that way, the person can plug and play and go, "Okay, this is what my calculated weight is, and I'm going to use all medium boxes from Home Depot." Then, it's incumbent upon them to come up with a standard weight of what they are going to sew into each box, and then multiply that by a number of boxes, and then they would have a formatted way to say, "I'm going to have a weight within 15%." So, when the Colonial driver shows up and says, "Okay, this is your final bill," they are not surprised. There was one person, I read their complaint where they were 4,500 pounds off. I could easily have done that. I could have lowballed my weight by 2,500 pounds and go, "Wow, I'm surprised," because you don't know until they finally get there. But I used that North American Van Lines estimate.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I was going from Ohio to Florida and I did not really have people that could help me do the move myself, so I needed to hire a company. I had called a few moving companies and Colonial Van Lines seemed to be reasonably priced and they were very communicative as far as letting me know what was going on. The coordinator let me know about how much it was gonna be and that it went by weight and how the time frame works. It could be anywhere from a week to a couple weeks. I didn't really understand that they were picking up and dropping off along the way, but she did explain that the time frame could fluctuate a little bit.

My pick up date got delayed a couple times, but I understand why that happened. It was my fault when somebody else's pick up date got delayed because when they got here, the truck couldn't pull in and there was a circle that I didn't know about. I had bought my place sight unseen. There was like a circle where the truck couldn't get through. They ended up having to go get a shuttle service. They call it a shuttle service, but they rent like a local truck and then they had to off load it reload it.

The cost was about what I was expecting. The only thing was when they told me the weight would be done right away, but it didn't get done right away. So, I didn't really know what the weight was. The person who assisted me during the move called all the time. She asked if I’ve heard from the driver, seen if they contacted me, which they did, they were telling me when they were on their way. She was always in contact with me. So, I was pleased with that. I liked Colonial Van Lines. They were very communicative, especially the salesperson and then the account manager who was helping me stay on track. I really liked that they stayed in contact with me a lot. I appreciated that. Even if it's gonna be early or late, at least they let me know.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

The first time that the coordinator was supposed to call, she didn't. The next time I talked to her, the news was better than I thought in terms of when stuff was gonna arrive, which was very pleasing. They told me that the arrival time could be upwards to two weeks and it only took five days, which was great. But I was not satisfied with the initial pickup.

The actual day that the stuff was picked up from my storage unit was a bit iffy. The driver said he'd be there in half an hour and it was two hours since I had to have somebody else be there because I had to be in my other state at the house closing. If he had told me it was going to be two hours, then I wouldn't have sent the guy over as early as I had. My friend had to sit for an hour and a half with nobody arriving. If you're gonna be late, then say you're gonna be late, as opposed to “We’re gonna be there on time,” and not be. With the arrival of the actual truck at the house, they called and said they'd be there in 45 minutes and they were here in that amount of time. So the back end of that was fine.

I lost some items but I didn't feel I could put in a claim form because I wasn't there to be sure that they got loaded up. So that was a bit disappointing. There was a box of kitchen stuff that can be replaced, but there were a couple art pieces that can't be replaced. The move cost a whole lot more than I thought, because of the amount of packaging that they felt they needed to do. When I packed everything away into my storage unit, I wasn't assuming it was gonna go directly onto a truck. So I knew there were things that they were going to feel the need to put into additional boxes and what they put into extra packages meant that all arrived corralled. I would start with Colonial again if I were to move again because I know that they respond. That was a big thing because I had a list and I kept calling phone numbers and I got machines and I got people who didn't return messages. Colonial picked up the damn phone. It's almost that simple.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Colonial was cheaper than the other options available and they had earlier dates. I did an estimate online and I got an email response right away. They were very prompt. Within two email exchanges, I got a phone call and they answered all my questions. They were able to tell me how much the deposit was and they were willing to hold the estimated amount for 24 hours so that I could gather the money. They were really understanding.

This was amidst the COVID situation and they were even understanding in that. Other moving companies kept pushing me back because the pickup was in New York City and it was during the highest point of COVID. Colonial didn’t think twice about it, which was amazing under the circumstances. It’s bad enough I'm dealing with a family death, but to then deal with concern for my mother and having to deal with this move, so when I say they were awesome, they were awesome.

They came in for the pickup and all my mom had to do was point and they packed up everything. They had a one-bedroom apartment packed in maybe five hours and was loading it onto the truck. Once they got to Tennessee, which is where I am, to drop it off, they were the nicest. They kept me posted in case they were gonna be late because they started to run into traffic as they got closer to Nashville. But they got here on the time they said they were gonna get here and they unloaded pretty quickly.

They asked if they could play music, which I had no problem with. They used a covering on their feet to come in and out of my house and they wiped down stuff when they were taking it off the truck. They really did what they were supposed to do and they were friendly about it too. I really appreciated that. Also, there was a piece of furniture I thought I wanted in one place and then decided I wanted it in another. They were nice enough to move it for the second time. They put everything together. I'm sure I'll be using them again in December because my son is moving into his own apartment in January in Florida. They definitely got a customer. For as long as I need to move, I'll call them first.

Original review: July 15, 2021

The moving coordinator was always available whenever we called her. However, we had very poor communication with the account manager who assisted us during the move. We tried to get information about when our goods were going to be delivered and never got one. We were told that a date was going to be our time for delivery. It came and no one went and delivered our goods. We had to call again. They never initiated contact. Then they said they would look into it, but they never called us back.

Finally, the driver called us the day after our goods were supposed to be arrived. He said he'd come the next morning and that we have to pay cash. It was a Saturday night, where would we get $7,000 cash for a Sunday morning delivery? I told him that the account manager said I will be able to pay by credit card and I have an email saying that a credit card would be acceptable for payment upon delivery. But he was told that he could only accept cash, money order, or a cashier's check. We scrounged around on Sunday morning, running and trying to get money orders for $7,000 so we could get our goods that day.

The actual movers themselves were incredible. We had 25,000 pounds worth of goods that we had delivered and the company only sent two people to unload those on a 70-foot truck. I asked the guy why Colonial didn't send more people. He said that they wouldn't pay for any more. He would have to pay for the people himself. We gave them lunch. After a 12-hour day, these guys were exhausted because we have 90% humidity down here and 90% heat.

Another thing is that we were sold that they would disassemble everything in our house for us, pack everything, store it, bring it to our house, and then reassemble it. I asked the two guys very nicely if they would be willing to at least put our beds together for us and they were able to do it. After they set the bed frames up, I told them to go home. They've already worked 12 hours and I wasn't about to have them start putting together everything that we had in the house. They would have been there until six o'clock the next morning. I gave them a $100 tip and told them to get themselves some dinner. But it shouldn't be that way. The whole back end of it was a nightmare.

Hi Ben,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: July 14, 2021

The move with Colonial Van Lines went well, except when they were taking the safe out, they tore up my threshold. That has yet to be resolved. I'm in the middle of selling and moving, and they’re six hours apart. I just don't have time to deal with Colonial about it right now, but it's an issue.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your feedback. We rely upon our customers feedback.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Everything was great when I first signed up with them and getting all the paperwork done. They told me what to do when I'm packing, but after that, it was not good. Nobody contacts you, and when you try to contact them for any reason, nobody really replies. You just have to keep calling. I'm missing a box with designer purses in it and I can't get anybody to respond. They lost all the screws to my bed and all the legs. The damage on the furniture was unbelievable. It was bad. Also, they were eight days late bringing the furniture. It's not anything that I expected. It's very messy. It's very difficult and stressful right now. I've moved a lot and I've never had anything happen like this. I paid Colonial close to $12,000 for this move and I would not recommend them to anyone.

Hi Shellyann,

Original review: July 10, 2021

The customer service was extremely great. I didn't know when I was moving and they were really helpful with that. They worked with me. They gave me a window of the drop off date, but they didn’t make it exactly clear that I get to pick one of these dates, and it was going to be delivered that day. So the movers came and picked up my stuff, and then two days later, they dropped it off to Washington. But my apartment wasn’t ready. So I had to go into a storage unit, and that was a whole hot mess. Colonial could communicate a little bit better with the service people because we were used to picking the day. But it wasn’t their fault. They were doing their job. Colonial was great.

I packed everything and had everything super organized, but I didn't know that I had to provide my own moving blankets. I wasn’t a fan of the contractors through Colonial. They destroyed a lot of my furniture. I had a bunch of Rubbermaid boxes that were shattered. I didn't even know that it was going to be a contracted thing. The moving guys were really nice and when they packed up all my stuff, they were really good. But everything kind of went south when they put my things in the storage unit.

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for the feedback. Your responses are greatly appreciated and we hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I would not recommend Colonial Van Lines. They damaged ~ $600 worth of items, and they have stated that they never received the claim paperwork that was submitted. At this point, I have broken items that will go into the trash. Look elsewhere.

Shawn,

Our sincerest apologies for the difficult moving experience. Our Director of Customer Relations has reached out to you in order to resolve your concerns in a timely manner. Thank you for your feedback.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information