toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving for a job. The initial sales rep from Colonial Van Lines that I talked to was very helpful, and clear, unlike the other moving companies that I've talked to where I could not get the whole story and have high-pressure and manipulative sales tactics. The rep from Colonial also took the time to answer my questions and was professional. The quote I got was very fair, though it did change when an estimator came out onsite because we added some stuff that wasn't in the initial quote, but the change was nothing outrageous. The moving coordinator did a great job and the services were very accurate against the expectations that were set and then the account manager gave good assistance during the move. Overall, we're very pleased with the service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had to move for a new job and chose Colonial Van Lines for their rate at the time. In the process of getting everything set up for the move, they made sure I got a call and that everything was getting done, checking on me from time to time. Their services were pretty accurate and I was very satisfied overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called around, got some prices, and I ended up with Colonial Van Lines. Their moving coordinator was very good. Their service and their quote were very accurate. They were very well prepared with the delivery as well. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Colonial Van Lines handled a cross country move for my 20 year old son from Bronx NY to CO. I had no experience with a move like this and was nervous about the whole thing. They held my hand from beginning to end and delivered without a hitch. They did everything they said they would and made sure I understood everything I needed to. I didn't need to worry!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was trying to do a cross-country move and Colonial Van Lines was one of the resources that appeared when I searched for cross-country movers. They were the least sketchy among them. Their customer service reps were fantastic and I had a phenomenal experience with the account manager that assisted me. They were a fantastic group of movers.

This was a fairly small move of 2500 lbs of furniture and pre-packed boxes. Colonial coordinated this move. They kept me updated, thoroughly going over all my options and paperwork necessary to complete the move. All representatives I spoke to were friendly and professional. The moving van was from a separate company that Colonial uses frequently. They arrived a little ahead of their scheduled time with 2 men. They were professional and respectful of the antique furniture pieces to be moved. The truck was weighed prior to arrival for pick up and they showed me the weight slip upon request. I had added more items to my move after the initial estimate and expected the cost to go up. I was updated with the weight of my move the next day and told the additional cost.

Prior to the move, I was informed of overweight charges per pound if this happened. The same 2 men stayed with the same truck during the move. They arrived at our home in New Hampshire about the middle of their delivery window. Again, the same 2 men offloaded the truck and placed all furniture pieces and boxes where directed. They carefully unwrapped the furniture and reassembled anything if needed. There was no damage to anything during this move. This move was very well coordinated and Colonial kept me informed all along the way.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial was available on the dates, so I went with them. The moving coordinator was very good and so are the people that came out and move my personal belongings. They were prepared, on time, and professional. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My husband and I had talked about moving for a long time. I have a son that lives here and we’ve visited him lots of times, and we liked the town so we moved closer to him. My husband was looking at other moving lines then and Colonial Van Lines contacted us. Because of the price that they offered for moving from Fresno, California to Tucson, Arizona we chose them. Their moving coordinator was very professional and kept us informed either by phone or e-mail. Their dispatcher let us know approximately when the moving van would get there. When the actual movers were coming, they contacted us too. Another person also contacted us in terms of quality control. It was a continuous good flow of good communication. They were right on time in terms of date and timeline that they said they'd be here. They were courteous and efficient. There were a few things that were slightly damaged but not a big deal.

Colonial helped me move recently from Iowa to Pennsylvania. Colonial, which I didn't know at the time, is a broker for moving companies. Being in HR I know full well how important a good broker is. Colonial was incredibly thorough, incredibly organized and did their absolute best--almost to the point of exhaustion--to make sure they had every detail, looked over more than 3, 4, even 5 times and then a FINAL check. I mean, they were thorough, and when you're moving, you don't want even ONE surprise.

I really was overwhelmed with my move as it was a company relocation and I knew I had a budget to work within, so when I found Colonial and began working with them, I didn't want to even shop around because going through inventory is exhausting. Lucky for me, they were perfect from the beginning. Because I didn't have the time or energy to try and shop around, I was putting my move in their hands and they delivered... Literally. I'd recommend them as they do everything they can to keep you calm, protected, and incredibly informed so there are no surprises. Job well done!

I was very impressed with the level of organization and especially the communication with me from the start through the finish of the whole moving process from Denver to Sacramento. Having run several companies myself, the commitment to a quality customer experience was impressive. Pricing was also very competitive coming in about 50% less than the most expensive and better known moving company.

Jordan, the coordinator from Colonial Van Lines, was professional and he communicated very nicely with me. He gave me a fair estimate and the cost came in under what he estimated. He was also easy to contact whenever I needed to talk to him. It was a great experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We want to relocate from Ohio to Arizona and Colonial Van Lines was the first one I saw on the internet. Their people are perfectly very nice, friendly, willing to work and do anything I request them. The services and expectations set were very accurate. Also, working with my account manager was wonderful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We didn't want to live in Florida anymore. I didn't like living there as much as my wife did but she loved the weather down there, so it was a compromise to move. I chose Colonial for the relocation because the information I got at the time was very useful. It answered all my questions prior to the move and they were also in the price range. The moving coordinators kept me comfortable throughout the entire process. Being able to have access to people easily to ask questions and to get information as I wanted is important to me. If I couldn't get a hold of them right away, their response was very quick to get back to me. It was fantastic.

We packed up all the boxes and staged them in our garage, so it was easy for them to load. It seemed like they were overestimating weight, but the box weight that they calculated was 30 pounds a box, which was low. I saw that and I knew that we were way over on the boxes. As far as expectations, I thought that we were going to come in close, but we ended up going over.

There is a quarter mile driveway that goes back to the house that we bought. It was windy and I was very concerned at the time about using a semi-truck. It would have never gotten our stuff back here. We were quite happy that the delivery truck was a shuttle-sized truck instead of a semi. We were able to credit the shuttle truck service. Everything, dollar-wise, worked out great. We were right as far as the overall cost, so no big surprises at the end and we were really happy.

I was very satisfied with everybody that I spoke with throughout the whole process. They didn't beat around the bush and they knew what they were doing. I felt comfortable that they were very knowledgeable. They knew how everything was going to go, and everything that they explained to me was exactly the way it happened. In this day and age, to try and get answers from people, most of the time I throw my hands up because people half the time don't know what they're talking about. In this case, it was the opposite of my expectations. I called it in and I thought all this would be a bare, but it wasn't. It was excitable as experience can be when you're moving across the country.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines gave us the best rate. The experience I had from James made me choose them. He was the sales manager who quoted us on the price and explained how the move will be done and why their pricing was based on this, and I liked what he explained to me. James was able to give me a very good quote. I gave him the inventory list and based on that, he was telling me that this was the best price they could give me and because I had already checked around, I found Colonial Van Lines rates were very competitive. Mina from customer service was very nice and polite. She also managed to speak to the movers to get them to come on time to our place so that we could meet the deadline for the Greyhound bus, which we took because we didn't have a car. We had no anxiety. We knew James and Mina were handling our move efficiently and very well.

The move was straightforward across the state from Chicago, Illinois, to Greenwood, Indiana and because we didn’t have any odd pieces of furniture, it was easy for the movers to do the packing. They came at 11:30 and they finished at 1:00. The movers understood the time frame we had so they did efficiently all the work, packed our things nicely, blanketed all the equipment properly and the items received at our end was all well, except a small damage but it was acceptable.

The movers that came were from In Demand Movers. Phil was very nice and helped out. He said, “Don’t worry. We will do all the work properly for you”. We also had Luis and Rudy. They were very nice, fast, polite and wherever we asked them to keep the things, they kept it for us. We were very happy with their services. Everything went smoothly, plus we were properly informed. They called us one hour before they came to our apartment and even when we arrived in Indiana. This was the first time I moved from one state to another. Earlier on I had a lot of anxiety. I was not so sure whether the movers would do a good job but overall, at the end of the day, I’m very happy I chose Colonial Van Lines. I would definitely recommend and use them if I move again, even overseas.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife is originally from Kentucky and we decided to move back down here from Illinois. We needed a company and we called one but it didn't work out. So we called Colonial and they gave us a better deal. The guys who came were really good. We had most of our things boxed up where they just had to load them. They did a fantastic job. If we got a crew like we got, I'd very well recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got a new job and was moving from Florida to Alabama. The move had been pretty easy and smooth. I basically found Colonial Van Lines online. They were much cheaper, $1,700. I also looked at Two Men and a Truck and they were charging $4,000. And this was an estimated price. They were saying, "Oh, your stuff won't take that long to get there." But that's okay. I could wait. That was their advantage.

The moving coordinator, Anthony was awesome. He was very helpful and always responded to my emails promptly. I wasn't sure of the date I was moving and he had no problem changing the date. He made it pretty easy. I only had one problem. I think Colonial Van Lines sent somebody else to pick my stuff up from the storage. And they broke my coffee table. That was just careless. I was so mad. It could have been avoided. It's glass and they just put it in the truck, had it leaning to the side of the truck. Which is what? Stupid. If you've been moving people's stuff, you don't do that. Of course, it turned over and it broke. But then the manager compensated for it by cancelling the cost of my steps, which I thought was really nice.

The guys who delivered my stuff were very helpful. They did everything that they could do. The only thing that was left for them to do was pack my clothes up. Which I told them they couldn't do because there was nowhere to put them. I had a very good experience. I didn't have to hurt my head at all with anything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved from Akron, Ohio to California for a job move and used Colonial Van Lines. The moving coordinator did a great job and I was very happy with him. The services and expectations he set were very accurate. The best part about it was Carlos, the mover. He was very personable and did a great job. It was a great experience overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My move with Colonial Van Lines was work-related. Dealing with the moving coordinator was quite easy. The services and expectations they set were also fairly accurate. And what they had quoted me to the actual quote itself was close.

Factual basis uncertain

The first thing you should know is that Colonial Van Lines is a broker and they subcontract out to other no name locals. On our move they gave us a window of when they will pick things up and when it should be delivered. We asked and were told it would be ok for near the end of the time window. But then last minute they picked up the stuff on the first day of the window and delivered our stuff 2 days before the delivery window began. And the final cost of the move was double that of the original quote.

Because we had to clean our old house to sell we were not able to get across country in time to take delivery. So my elderly parents had to. When we did arrive several boxes were missing and we had someone else's rug. It had the colored sticker on the rug so they knew who it belonged to. Yet they told us to just keep it, only after insisting that they ship it where it belonged did they reimburse us but we still had to do the work to ship it.

Which leads me to believe they did not even try to get our boxes back and they never did. They just kept giving us the runaround and told us to file a claim which is probably cheaper than shipping our boxes back. Then to top it all off after dragging this out for a year they denied our claim. I would NEVER recommend Colonial Van Lines again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed to put together a whole move real quick and the guy from Colonial Van Lines that I was dealing with got everything I needed quickly. He gave us a quote then he called and talked to my wife. Then we got a little more in depth and got a solid quote. He worked with us from start to finish. The services were right on with the expectations he set, but we were moving in on a Super Bowl Sunday, so it wasn't really in our control. We were 95% ready when the mover showed up. He was really good and he had his stuff together. Also, the guy who drove the truck, from the independent contractor, was on the spot. Overall, it was quick and precise. I had a week to put everything together and everything fell together real well.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called Colonial Van Lines for my move and they had good prices. I described what I had and they estimated the weight a little bit low but it wasn't an unreasonable difference. It wasn't bad because they're looking at it from a distance so they wouldn't know exactly.

The only other thing is that there was a little unusual about the coordinator who dispatched the guys. They picked up my stuff in Massachusetts and the crew was from New Jersey. And so a few days later, they drove down from New Jersey and the coordinator said, “Hey, you know, we’ve got your credit card on file and we’ll charge you the balance when we deliver your stuff, but do you think it’s possible that you could pay some of it in cash?” I said, “Why and how much?” He goes, “I don’t know, you know, maybe $400 or something.” I replied, “For what?” He says, “So the guys can buy gas for the truck,” which struck me as bizarre because they don't have a car they can use and they have to have cash to get the gas.

So I said no. He said, “No, there’s no pressure. I’m just asking, you know, is it possible. If it’s not, no big deal.” I said, “No, I’m not gonna do it,” because it was very odd. But, the guy who drove the truck was very experienced. He and his crew were really good. He said that they’d call me all the time. They have gone all over the place so if he’s experienced like that, why in the world wouldn’t they be already covered for fuel and food and all that other stuff?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I looked online and asked a couple of different places and I got the lowest quote from Colonial Van Lines. Gab, the moving coordinator, was good. He was able to answer all the questions I had but their weight estimate wasn't accurate. We were a thousand pounds more.

Resolution response: April 6, 2017

The company has responded and I am retracting my prior comment.

Original review: March 27, 2017

This company should not only be out of business but should be in jail. They will lie and change your order once you have signed up with them. They then broker your move to a third party that should all be deported. The third party are all scam artists. They overcharge, make up packing charges, and lie about a long distance moves. The companies reps are arrogant and rude. Stephanie ** should be fired! I will be contacting my lawyer!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My mother-in-law's on hospice and we needed to move her home to Arkansas with us. Colonial Van Lines responded really quick to my request and everything went according to plan. The moving coordinator was really good, very understanding on our time schedule and stuff. The personal workers that came in to do it were really considerate and helpful with our needs and stuff. I know they took really good care and were understanding about my mother-in-law being on hospice. We're building her a little home but it's not ready. So they put it in storage in our house, and they did it all. They were really good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was relocating with my job and Colonial Van Lines was able to do the move in the timing that I needed. Everyone was pleasant to deal with and everything was accurate. However, I didn't physically measure the steps from the garage to the street so we paid more than that. That's the only thing they should have made clearer. That's not their fault, but there's no way for me to accurately predict that because I hadn't been where I was moving.

Moved mother in law from AZ to VA. Colonial use 3rd party movers for small less than full load moves. Colonial was 3rd based only on price proposal of eight bidders but my due diligence using websites, BBB and DOT chose them with no regrets. Dealt with three person (1) bidder/ estimator, (2) billing and insurance and (3) moving coordinator. All were professional and followed up and responsive. The actual mover was an "Angie's List" superior performer from Cincinnati, was professional, efficient, courteous and responsive.

Sharita,
We appreciate your honest feedback and wish you luck at our new state and home.
Regards,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: March 16, 2017

It was not clear when the contract with Colonial Van Lines was signed, that there was a delay from the time when our items were put on the truck to the time when they would arrive in Maryland. It was only after things had started to be loaded that there was a communication. We tried to ask how they are going to do the weigh station they said that we're going to Massachusetts. In my head I was saying that that's the wrong end-State when you say Maryland. So, when that was elaborated on, they shared that they were going to Massachusetts. And then once in Massachusetts, our items would be brought down to Maryland. But not until up to like the 9th of March. Not that there was a delay period. Although it sounded like there was originally another moving company possibly involved and there was a miscommunication with a date.

Having the moving date on Sunday was an alternative plan to the original one, which was supposed to be on Saturday. But there was a miscommunication between the original moving company and my husband where they were going to come on Friday which did not work. By the time they were involved in the process, I know that there was a pick-up schedule for Sunday. And the understanding that we had was that we were going to all go down together. So, even in terms of how we organized and packed, it was with the understanding that it was only going to be, at most, a five-hour trip down the highway. It might not have been reiterated in a way that it was clear because I believe my husband is a planner's planner. So, if that had been communicated, we would have planned this in terms of having a suitcase worth of clothes. We wound up packing out for his car and mine with things that we were going to need more immediately.

Our things did not arrive on Sunday evening when we did, but they did arrive Tuesday morning. Once that situation was identified the two movers who were there did a really good job of contacting their headquarters and trying to rectify the situation based on what appeared to be a miscommunication or misunderstanding. The people who came to pack and move were not the administrative people that worked up the contract. The people who came to help us move out were the same two that helped us move in on Tuesday. So, it was nice for continuity purposes. I'm not sure if that would have normally happened but it was nice to have seen the same faces.

It did take awhile to pack our things. They did a much faster job of unloading and putting things. They have to break down some things and it did take quite a few hours to do that. Longer than in my mind's eye but again, there were only two of them. In terms of direct customer service, as far as the two gentlemen that were the laborers that were involved in the process were concerned, they were very good overall. And then helping for us this side up, but they did a good job with that. It's possible they might have been able to pack the truck faster but they made up for it on the other end by getting us our things much sooner than the forecasted time frame and putting things back together. It was a faster process on the other end as well.

Jesus,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful moving experience with our customers. We at Colonial Van Lines value customer satisfaction above all else and we are pleased that we were able to provide you with the excellent service you deserve.
Best Wishes,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: March 12, 2017

We enjoyed our scheduling experience with Colonial Van Lines. That part was great. But, one of the things that I was annoyed with was that we couldn't get any information as to when the delivery was gonna be made and there was no feedback. That was a little bit disturbing but everything went pretty smooth when the van arrived.

Moved from PA to TX. Colonial Van Lines is great to work with. Always courteous and treat you as if you are their only client. Would recommend them to anyone who is moving and wants a carefree move. The movers were helpful and careful with belongings. Move went so smooth with no worry. Someone was always on the phone when needed. The movers arrived on the date they said they would. This company is a hassle free service. They will pack your belongings if you want them to or you can pack your own and as they move the boxes the movers make sure all boxes are secure and safe to be moved. Nothing was missing, everything arrived in good condition. Would highly recommend them to anyone who is making a move and the cost is reasonable. Staff reliable. Friendly service. Look no further than Colonial Van Line for your move.

Neil,
Thank you for allowing us to assist you during your recent long haul relocation. We are pleased we were able to rectify all your concerns and we are glad that we were able to play a role during your recent move.
Best Regards,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: March 8, 2017

The experience started off really good. My initial contact was Thomas and was very professional and did a good job with follow up and made me feel like my business was of value to them. I then had Eric come do a physical inspection of the home and he was also good to work with and professional. It all changed when we were officially signed to a contract and then became the responsibility of Dorika ** with CS. She was constantly not available and never had any answers to some of the following problems that came up.

It appears that Colonial Van Lines outsources almost all facets of its infrastructure. Most people you talk to when you call them back from the caller ID on the phone they are working for other moving companies. Which would reason to the lack of care or professionalism from most of the staff. They are not true employees but agents.

So the movers were set and confirmed to arrive on March 7 at 8:00-10:00 AM. This was confirmed with Dorika the CS rep. At 12:00 I began calling Dorika and could not get a return phone call till I went thru the switchboard. I was put on hold for over 20 minutes to be told the mover will arrive between 12:00-4:00. I explained that was not the agreement and she became irritated I would question the answer she gave. I kept calling the driver and CS with no answers and I finally got the lady packing to call the driver and he immediately answered her call. I did get to talk with him on her phone and he assured me the job would get done on time and that they would arrive by 10:00 AM the following day.

Well 10:00 am came and no crew and nobody was returning my phone calls. I have to be out of the house on this day or I will miss my closing. So hopefully you the moving consumer can understand my frustration. Finally after demanding to speak to a manager and not a voice mail I waited 27 minutes and talked with Sonya. Not sure where she works and her caller ID was a complete different moving company 3 time zones away from the main office. Finally after the CS Manager demanding an ETA we had 1 26' truck show up. Not what is needed to move my house, which they were well aware of with the site assessment conducted. The truck is a "Rental" and does not even have a company logo on it other than the rental company where it came from.

So now you are up to date with the chain of events. I have one small truck here and supposedly another OTW but has yet to show. I will post another update tomorrow so everyone knows how the packing ended. So far this is a miserable and very nonprofessional company from my dealings. Also this is the first time I have ever even given a bad review on anything. I just don't want you to have the same issues I am having.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The initial quote Colonial Van Lines gave us wasn't the cheapest but the service provider who called to set everything up was very helpful and very knowledgeable before I scheduled. Also, the communication was fantastic when they were getting me to use their service so I went with them. Even after they gave me a quote, the moving manager still sent me stuff very frequently. I was very pleased with that aspect. But after scheduling and picking up their initial fee, the communication ceased. The scheduling never really occurred.

Scheduling was a huge hurdle we had to deal with. I was initially told they would contact us 24 to 48 hours before they came to pick up. Pick up date was scheduled for 25. On the 24th, that afternoon, they haven't called. They'll be calling or confirming up the next day so I called Colonial. They told me they would be out the next day between 12:00 and 3:00, although no one has even bothered to call us and let us know that. So, on Saturday, at 2:30, when the driver had not shown up, I called Colonial again and they pulled up my record and said I'm not scheduled for pick up until the next day. That screwed me on that 24 hours. I asked the time the driver will be showing up. They said between 8:00 and 10:00. On that Saturday, I got a text message about three hours later from a Colonial driver so I sent back a text message to confirm that he was supposed to come pick me up the next day. He said, "Nope, wrong number."

The next morning I waited from 8:00 until noon but there was no driver. So, I contacted Colonial again at noon and they told me that the driver would be here between 12:00 and 3:00. That was a Sunday and Colonial Van Lines is closed on Sundays so there was no customer service. The only thing I had to do was to contact the driver that sent me a text message and said I wasn't his pickup. When I called him, he said he's my pickup. He was driving in Charlotte at that point and I asked him how long he thought he would arrive. He said he just got there and waiting should be here between 12:00 and 3:00.

I made the drive from Fayetteville to Charlotte and it took a lot longer to get there because of traffic. So, he stopped at 2:30 for lunch, called me and said he just left Charlotte and that he’d be there by 3:00. So, I anticipated he would arrive at 6:00, which he did. He then called for help so they could come over to load. They finally got it done at 7:00 that night which put me behind schedule by 48 hours. When I talked to Colonial about it, they determined they will give me a $50 discount. Their taking care of the customer at that point and for that kind of hassle just did not transpire into anything. I've been moving for 40 years with the military, but this is probably the worst experience I have ever had. It was all sorts of hoops that I don't wanna have when I’m trying to move.

Resolution response: March 9, 2017

I have been working through my issues with Colonial Consumer Satisfaction Department. Chris has worked very diligently to resolve each of my issues in a very professional manner. He showed sincere interest in what I had to say and assured me that he would take corrective action steps so these issues would not occur in the future.

Dianne,
Thank you for allowing our Resolutions Team to work with you towards resolving your issues and concerns. Colonial Van Lines considers customer satisfaction to be a crucial component of our day to day operation. And, we are delighted to have been able to restore your faith in our company.
Best Wishes,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: March 1, 2017

When I first contacted Colonial regarding moving I thought they were very professional. First the price per pound we spoke about was not the price per pound we were charged for. They had said calls were recorded but when I asked them to do a call review they said price was never discussed in the call. As you go along the process you are moved from one person to another. I spoke with two people in sales, QC, account manager and customer service (after the move). Keep in mind Colonial does not move anything, they pick a company out of a list to move you. First thing our movers did when they came to pick up our furniture was hand me a inventory list for me to fill out of the furniture and it's condition. This should be done by the movers! Because I was moving out of state 500 miles away, Colonial had agreed to pick up the furniture one day and deliver it two days later allowing me time to travel to destination.

Our movers knew nothing about this. We were forced to drive three hours into the night after loading of our furniture and remainder the following day. Colonial states in their binding estimate "All furniture is blanket wrapped at no extra charge". None of my furniture was blanket wrapped which lead to damage to almost all my furniture. Colonial agreed that I was credit card approved to pay remainder upon of my bill upon delivery by credit card. Movers wanted "Cash or Certified Check" on a Sunday!! I asked to call Colonial regarding this and movers told me "you don't deal with them, you deal with me". Once they left the following day I realized just how much of my furniture was damaged. Corners of my table smashed, almost all of my dressers were badly scratched on bottom from not wrapping and more.

I also calculated that my weight of goods came in 2000 pounds under the estimated weight and was charged a higher rate per pound than I had originally been told. I paid about $500 too much. Colonial has a refund policy if you cancel your order prior to move but not for overpaying by weight. After discussing this numerous times with the account manager and being told to call back in a week to see if refund is processed I finally turned it over to my credit card company dispute resolution team. I'm not sure what means they go to for checking out the movers they assign to you but as soon as I was given the company name I googled them and found mostly nasty comments.

While the moving company was a disaster Colonial's customer service is worst. They have done nothing to apologize for the movers or after several requests (and sending pictures) regarding damage that occurred. I have not heard back from them. If you decide to use them keep in mind they are not moving you but they pick from a list of movers unknown to you and they keep a portion of the funds you pay for themselves. You are better off choosing your local "2 men and a truck". To this day I have still not received an invoice showing how they calculated what they are charging me for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved back home to be with my daughter from another state and she had used Colonial Van Lines before. She was very pleased with them so I used them, too. The coordinator was very friendly and we discussed things over the phone and through emails. Also, the mover guy did it by himself and that completely amazed me. He moved my bed by himself which is heavy and which normally takes two to three guys to move. He even beat me a few times at certain places to drop things off. He did a really wonderful and great job. If somebody is moving, I'd tell them to call Colonial.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I put out a request for a moving company. I got 5 million responses and chose Colonial Van Lines. I relocated and as far as the quote, it was good and I didn't have any surprises. I've had experience with this type of moving group before with a different spot and they're okay. The Colonial account manager who assisted during the move was good. The service and the cost were as expected and the experience went as smooth as a move goes. They sure know some ways.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines seemed like they were okay. When I spoke to people there they were attentive and they did what they could. Lacrina was the coordinator and very helpful. But it was also clear to me that there were a lot of things that were out of their control. As I understand from the shipper, the brokers usually underestimate and the shippers overestimate the cost, and then they meet somewhere in the middle. In the end it worked out being truly accurate and that’s because the shipper was behind and they worked out something with the price. However, there was about a week when I wasn’t sure what was going on. When I called and left a message, sometimes it was a day or two before I was able to talk to anybody, but part of it was that they didn’t have any information.

I would have rather gotten a U-Haul and done the move myself because I could have done the whole thing in a week for less money. I've done moves before, but I didn’t realize it would take over three weeks before I got my stuff. There was a lot of questions about when it was gonna arrive and Colonial didn’t have an actual weight, so they had to adjust the price accordingly. It was a little sketchy and longer than I would have liked to have done it. I don’t even know how many times my boxes got moved from one truck to another by folks who may not really know what they're doing.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was relocating and overall, everything went very well with Colonial Van Lines. They stored my stuff for a couple of weeks and the people I dealt with seemed professional and helpful. The accuracy of services and expectations set by the moving coordinator was spot on and the price turned out to be a bit less than the original quote, too.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I need to move for a job. The way Colonial Van Lines gave me quote was a little bit different from when I did corporate moves wherein someone would come out and walk the premises before giving us an estimate. With Colonial Van Lines, it was all done over the phone. So when the driver came, the quote they gave me was way off the actual cost. However, the driver was great. He spent time, went through and updated everything. It's just that we wasted an hour because of the time he spent on that and calling the Colonial Van Lines site to get approval for the new cost. But the move was good. There was only 1 dish broken. Some of the moving packs were just wrapped together and they didn't use a lot of paper. I was surprised that more did not break. Other than that, they were fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I should have gone with Colonial Van Lines in the first place. I called Anthony and he helped me out last minute to be able to get the mover to come in because I was supposed to leave on that Tuesday, but the other people were fraud. Anthony was able to get everything done. The moving coordinator easily emailed me all the information that I needed when I asked him to, and it was quick even though we had so much going on already with the other company. I knew what was going on and we had everything ready for the actual move. So when the mover came in on Sunday, I had everything ready in the living room and they were just set to go. The guy who helped me during the move texted, called, and told me where he was by sending me a picture. Everything was delivered the way I wanted it and everything was perfect. I do and will recommend Colonial Van Lines to family and friends.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines was on top of everything, and everyone was polite and kind. But they were a day late because it was Martin Luther King Day and we couldn't get through since nobody was there all weekend to give me a final price, which we needed to do so that we could start unloading. I kept trying to get ahold of them because I knew Monday was gonna be a holiday and I was worried all the banks were gonna be closed. I wanted to make sure I had enough cash, because I paid in cash, and I couldn't get a hold of anybody. Thank God, I had enough cash or we wouldn't have been able to unload that day. They should have given me a final price the day that my truck showed up into town because their guy went and weighed it the minute he left Kingsport, Tennessee. It shouldn't have been a hard time for them to give me a final on everything and I should have known that. They should have foreseen that it was gonna be a holiday.

Colonial Van Lines had to contract out the unloading because the driver got sick and had to go to the ER. But then, there were only two helpers who unloaded and it was frustrating. They were already a day late and it took them two days, and they could have put in the storage units a bit better. They were trying to hurry because it was raining. But the helpers, David and his brother, Robert, were awesome. They were polite and they worked hard for us. It wasn't their fault that they didn't have any help. I called Colonial Van Lines and asked if their guys were gonna come but nobody came.

If we had help, it wouldn't have taken two days and someone could have stayed inside and helped pack the storage unit a bit better, because we thought we were gonna end up having to get a fourth storage unit. So I got in there and started rearranging stuff and we were able to get our things into three storage units. But the reason I paid so much was I shouldn't have to do any hands-on. I guess it was a hard time to find any workers since it was a holiday, but they should have been able to foresee that.

Factual basis uncertain

Called Colonial Van Lines and I talked to Flora who seemed good. But I was disappointed because the quote I got turned out to be a $1400 more than I was expecting. They said the stuff weighed more but I still have a tough time believing it because I know what we moved. I don't know where they got their measurement numbers from, where these things got weighed and how accurate that is. Then uring the actual move, I thought we were going to have a large truck, but we didn't. I thought there was going be at least three guys, but there were two. They got there at 9:00 in the morning and didn't leave till 1:00 in the morning. At the very end, I don't know how they got the stuff on the truck. We didn't have a lot in terms of breakage, but a vase was broken and an antique chair just vanished, and we don't even know what happened to it.

The movers were nice and decent guys. The other one especially was a really hard worker, but the other was going a little bit slow. And the guy who's working hard was saying how slow the other guy was. If they had three people instead of two and had a larger truck I wouldn't have ended up leaving stuff behind. I ended up giving stuff to my neighbor. There was a bunch of shelves that I wanted to bring but I couldn't. I left $500 worth of shelves in my basement because we didn't have a big enough truck. The dispatcher I dealt with was some guy down in Miami on the day of the move. He was yelling at me on the phone because I didn't think that what we had was correct in terms of weight. Then we could not get a straight answer on when they were going to be there, so we didn't know when to leave. They said they would be there on Monday, then it became Sunday. So I'm not happy with the service.