toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Bobby,
Our team would like to thank you for your wonderful feedback. Customer service is our focus at Colonial Van Lines and customer satisfaction our most important goal. We are delighted to learn you were satisfied with your moving experience with Colonial Van Lines and we wish you the best of luck on all future endeavors.
Warm Regards,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: May 15, 2017

Jordan, the coordinator from Colonial Van Lines, was professional and he communicated very nicely with me. He gave me a fair estimate and the cost came in under what he estimated. He was also easy to contact whenever I needed to talk to him. It was a great experience.

Matthew,
Thank you for your feedback. Colonial Van Lines always aims to provide our customers with an optimal customer service experience. It is comments like yours that let us know we are meeting our ultimate goal of complete customer satisfaction.
Best Wishes,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: May 5, 2017

We didn't want to live in Florida anymore. I didn't like living there as much as my wife did but she loved the weather down there, so it was a compromise to move. I chose Colonial for the relocation because the information I got at the time was very useful. It answered all my questions prior to the move and they were also in the price range. The moving coordinators kept me comfortable throughout the entire process. Being able to have access to people easily to ask questions and to get information as I wanted is important to me. If I couldn't get a hold of them right away, their response was very quick to get back to me. It was fantastic.

We packed up all the boxes and staged them in our garage, so it was easy for them to load. It seemed like they were overestimating weight, but the box weight that they calculated was 30 pounds a box, which was low. I saw that and I knew that we were way over on the boxes. As far as expectations, I thought that we were going to come in close, but we ended up going over.

There is a quarter mile driveway that goes back to the house that we bought. It was windy and I was very concerned at the time about using a semi-truck. It would have never gotten our stuff back here. We were quite happy that the delivery truck was a shuttle-sized truck instead of a semi. We were able to credit the shuttle truck service. Everything, dollar-wise, worked out great. We were right as far as the overall cost, so no big surprises at the end and we were really happy.

I was very satisfied with everybody that I spoke with throughout the whole process. They didn't beat around the bush and they knew what they were doing. I felt comfortable that they were very knowledgeable. They knew how everything was going to go, and everything that they explained to me was exactly the way it happened. In this day and age, to try and get answers from people, most of the time I throw my hands up because people half the time don't know what they're talking about. In this case, it was the opposite of my expectations. I called it in and I thought all this would be a bare, but it wasn't. It was excitable as experience can be when you're moving across the country.

Kaniz,
Our team sincerely appreciates your well received comments. Customer satisfaction is a prime directive at Colonial Van Lines and we are glad to see that we were able to exceed your service expectations on your recent move.
Best Wishes,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: April 27, 2017

Colonial Van Lines gave us the best rate. The experience I had from James made me choose them. He was the sales manager who quoted us on the price and explained how the move will be done and why their pricing was based on this, and I liked what he explained to me. James was able to give me a very good quote. I gave him the inventory list and based on that, he was telling me that this was the best price they could give me and because I had already checked around, I found Colonial Van Lines rates were very competitive. Mina from customer service was very nice and polite. She also managed to speak to the movers to get them to come on time to our place so that we could meet the deadline for the Greyhound bus, which we took because we didn't have a car. We had no anxiety. We knew James and Mina were handling our move efficiently and very well.

The move was straightforward across the state from Chicago, Illinois, to Greenwood, Indiana and because we didn’t have any odd pieces of furniture, it was easy for the movers to do the packing. They came at 11:30 and they finished at 1:00. The movers understood the time frame we had so they did efficiently all the work, packed our things nicely, blanketed all the equipment properly and the items received at our end was all well, except a small damage but it was acceptable.

The movers that came were from In Demand Movers. Phil was very nice and helped out. He said, “Don’t worry. We will do all the work properly for you”. We also had Luis and Rudy. They were very nice, fast, polite and wherever we asked them to keep the things, they kept it for us. We were very happy with their services. Everything went smoothly, plus we were properly informed. They called us one hour before they came to our apartment and even when we arrived in Indiana. This was the first time I moved from one state to another. Earlier on I had a lot of anxiety. I was not so sure whether the movers would do a good job but overall, at the end of the day, I’m very happy I chose Colonial Van Lines. I would definitely recommend and use them if I move again, even overseas.

Terrence,
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to share your positive moving experience with our current and future customers. We appreciate your feedback and we wish you the best of luck in your new state and home.
Sincerely,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: April 22, 2017

I moved from Akron, Ohio to California for a job move and used Colonial Van Lines. The moving coordinator did a great job and I was very happy with him. The services and expectations he set were very accurate. The best part about it was Carlos, the mover. He was very personable and did a great job. It was a great experience overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving for a job. The initial sales rep from Colonial Van Lines that I talked to was very helpful, and clear, unlike the other moving companies that I've talked to where I could not get the whole story and have high-pressure and manipulative sales tactics. The rep from Colonial also took the time to answer my questions and was professional. The quote I got was very fair, though it did change when an estimator came out onsite because we added some stuff that wasn't in the initial quote, but the change was nothing outrageous. The moving coordinator did a great job and the services were very accurate against the expectations that were set and then the account manager gave good assistance during the move. Overall, we're very pleased with the service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had to move for a new job and chose Colonial Van Lines for their rate at the time. In the process of getting everything set up for the move, they made sure I got a call and that everything was getting done, checking on me from time to time. Their services were pretty accurate and I was very satisfied overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called around, got some prices, and I ended up with Colonial Van Lines. Their moving coordinator was very good. Their service and their quote were very accurate. They were very well prepared with the delivery as well. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines handled a cross country move for my 20 year old son from Bronx NY to CO. I had no experience with a move like this and was nervous about the whole thing. They held my hand from beginning to end and delivered without a hitch. They did everything they said they would and made sure I understood everything I needed to. I didn't need to worry!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was trying to do a cross-country move and Colonial Van Lines was one of the resources that appeared when I searched for cross-country movers. They were the least sketchy among them. Their customer service reps were fantastic and I had a phenomenal experience with the account manager that assisted me. They were a fantastic group of movers.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial was available on the dates, so I went with them. The moving coordinator was very good and so are the people that came out and move my personal belongings. They were prepared, on time, and professional. I would recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The move was exceptional from start to finish. The sales team was knowledgeable. The Movers were professional. The Movers arrived on time, communicated information, delivered on time and the furniture was intact. I would use Colonial again. The entire move from start to finish exceeded my expectations.

No response received

I hired this company in 2014 for a move. However, after reading the reviews, I was feeling a little uncomfortable using this company, and tried to cancel my move. They refused to cancel my move even though it was within the allotted time. After a few heated phone calls, a manager finally called me and cancelled my move. I ultimately left them a poor Yelp review because of the bad service and practices I felt were shady. However, in OCT. 2015, they contacted me to take the review down.

The company has been relentless in harassing me through emails and phone calls about taking the review down. Today, because I have blocked their numbers, they decided to call MY PARENTS! Needless to say, this company is not one you should do business with. I have never seen them act in a professional way. I do not trust them, nor the reviews (since they offered to pay me to take mine down). I do not recommend this company to anyone, and quite frankly, I am not sure how they are still in business.

I have moved cross country many times. This was my first and last time with Colonial Van Lines. Pick up was late a day and a half outside our original pick-up window, which meant we had to overstay our lease. Then only 2 people came to do a full packing and move an estimated 11,000lbs. They told us they were unable to do it in one day and would have to return the next day. My husband and teenage cousin helped pack and move furniture onto the truck and after 8 hours, all was out of the townhouse. The delivery window was 8 days long (July 3rd-11th). However, they won't be here now until July 13th. They are compensating me $100. Really? No one ever answers the phone and they take hours to call you back, generally with an update saying they are sorry, but nothing they can do. I am not even expecting things to get here in one piece. But, I will provide an update once it actually arrives.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I retired and I was moving from a state to another state and I used Colonial Van Lines because of the service they provided and their pricing. Their coordinator was very good and the move went really well. I was surprised that we hit the target weight pretty close. However, they did not have a couple of the details with the outsourced mover quite correct. The movers were expecting a partial payment on pickup and I was told that the full payment was supposed to due at delivery. That created some delay and a couple more phone calls back. If I have known that beforehand, we would have been prepared for it. Other than that one little glitch, everything went well. I would use them again. I was pleased enough with it and I would actually recommend it to anybody who’ll move to at least give them a call.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The guys who helped me move did a good job. They made me pick up before ahead of time and gave me a good deal. On the other hand, I had some minor problems like scratches. In addition, we thought we were getting a big truck and I was shocked that it was not. It was a rental truck instead of a van line operation. They also never got to reveal to us that they are an agent. We thought they were moving van lines but they're not, and that's misleading. After the truck came to my house, I had no choice. I have to move that day and the only thing I can do was to pay them. If I knew ahead of time, then I would have settled for that and that would have been okay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The Colonial's agent I contacted seemed pretty knowledgeable, and with what I saw about them on the web made me chose them. I was somewhat taken aback when I was doing business with them and I didn't realize they were a broker. They never let me know 'till I called them back and they told me that someone else was going to pick up my furniture. They should have said that upfront.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines was the least expensive. The coordinator was very knowledgeable and helpful and the carrier drivers were nice.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I retired and moved out of Illinois to Florida. Colonial Van Lines could do their estimate by video and send it to people electronically, and that made a lot easier than other ways. The move was all pretty straightforward. The moving coordinator was real good at staying in communication and made sure everything was up to date before the move. The service was pretty accurate as well. We were ready to go and had everything packed up. So the pick-up people were in and they had the things packed up and out pretty quickly, which was also the same as far as the delivery. We ended up having more stuff but it was more of our side than theirs and we underestimated a few things. Everyone that I dealt with was very knowledgeable about it and helped out. It was a positive, easy and pretty much trouble-free experience and I'd recommend Colonial Van Lines.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had to move to Dallas. We were comparing prices from different moving companies and Colonial Van Lines' price worked out fine. I talked to one of their account managers and she was nice and helpful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines was the first one to call me. The adjuster was a little bit irritating but she was good at her estimate. The account manager did a good estimate and after we got the estimate of weights, we were 200 pounds off in our favor so that helped out a little bit. They notified us that they were picking us up in three weeks. We knew the day we were moving so we had plenty of time to plan and we were ready to go.

The moving company that moved us pushed Colonial over the top. They were fantastic and they made it easy. We only had one hiccup and that was an issue between whether they can get a semi-truck or a standard 24 foot moving truck and I told them they could get either one. They wound up with the 24 and so we had plenty of room.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was relocating 554 miles and Colonial Van Lines was accommodating in terms of the price and the dates that I needed everything done. Everybody else was not being very helpful in explaining to me what I needed to have done and because we decided to go with a moving company fairly late in the game, I needed someone who could guarantee that our equipment and our things will be moved on time. Some people said they could move everything by Monday, but I was moving on Saturday.

The moving coordinator at Colonial Van Lines was very helpful and he adjusted the price when we added a lot of the things that we thought we weren't going to bring. Everything worked out well and even though the price went over, it was not unexpected. The whole process was wonderful. It was more of a local move, but I recommended them to a couple of people I know who are moving out state because it was the best thing I ever did. There's no way we could have done this without them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines was very helpful in coordinating everything. They answered all the questions that I had and everything was good with the carrier driver. Everything went fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I used Colonial Van Lines for my 700-mile move because of their response time and presence online, and I had an excellent experience. The moving coordinator who estimated my inventory and gave me a quote was straightforward. I had a pleasant experience and I don't recall running into issues. There was one instance where the driver was delayed for a day but other than that everything ran on time in schedule. There were some things that I wasn't prepared for during pick-up and delivery but they took care of it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines had a better rate than anyone else. Their rate did go up, but that’s due to our underestimation of the number of items that we’d be moving. We had a couple of moving companies who came in and toured the house, so we could have a more accurate inventory but with Colonial, we did the inventory over the phone. And that's why we had the underestimation of what we were moving. But aside from that, the support from them was outstanding. They always kept in touch.

But there was a little hiccup when they were supposed to show up to pick up our goods. They had to delay it one day because the prior house that they went to ended up filling the truck, so they had to procure another truck. But it wasn't a huge deal. They had to outsource the truck for us and got Cal Van Lines, based out of California. But then there was a slight disorganization with these guys. I told them what things to take and not to take but they took what’s not supposed to be taken and they didn’t get what’s supposed to be taken. But they protected everything well, put everything back together and put it where we wanted it. And the truck guys were good, too. Everything wasn't perfect but I would still recommend Colonial Van Lines. They were very friendly, kept their word, were very professional to work with and kept us up to date with any changes or anything else that we needed to know.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My mom and dad died and I had to get their stuff out of their house in South Carolina and bring it here to where I live. Colonial Van Lines’ pricing at $1500 was standard but I found one person there that connected well with me and was very consistent with his communication so I chose them over others. The coordinator was very accurate. He was on it and we bantered back and forth. He was very patient with me. I took stuff off, I put stuff on, I put some on, again and again, because it’s mom and dad and I have to decide.

What I do for a living is archive. I deal with boxes in and out so I deal with this kind of stuff all the time. I was very prepared and did my own packing. But I left the flat screen TV for them to pack and they charged $45. I should never have paid $45 for that pack ‘cause I could’ve done a better job than that. That was really stupid but we all do that kind of stuff. Every single thing was really good. I was impressed with their honest customer service, the support, after, during, truck drivers and packers. They’ve really took care of my furniture. They’ve really did well with wrapping and taping.

My only complaint is that the day before they were arriving to my house, they said I had a balance of $7500 and I didn’t sleep that night. Because it was late in the afternoon, I couldn’t communicate with anybody, nobody was around and I was so worried. It turned out that the person who was communicating this to me through an email made a mistake. They must’ve looked at somebody else and put that figure in as opposed to what I owed which was $1500. It scared and really pissed me off. I just couldn’t imagine all my stuff from my mom going away. That was disruptive and disturbing.

When I brought it to their attention and I talked to this specific person, he just laughed it off and said, “Oh, I’m so sorry. I must be sick.” and I was like, “I guess, it’s hahaha to you but wasn’t hahaha to me.” Other than that, that would not change my mind with it. It’s still a good experience and they’re a professional team. If I were to move again, I would definitely call Colonial and consider them to move me again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I talked to Colonial Van Lines, and the estimate going up was a couple of thousands less than Mayflower and United Van Lines, but it actually turned out to be a couple of thousand more than what they estimated me, and I wasn't happy about that. But other than that, the coordinator answered all our questions and the drivers and movers were exceptional. It was a family, a gentleman, his wife, and their son, who took care of all of our moving. Everything was well packed and there was no breakage. They were great to talk to while they were moving us, too. They did a great job, and I've recommended the company to a buddy of mine who was thinking about moving to Texas from North Carolina.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I did a small move from Dallas to Charlotte and I was way below the minimum for a container. It was just for a one-bedroom apartment. Also, the move was somewhat sudden, so it needed to be arranged rather quickly. From when I called looking for quotes to the actual date, it was less than three weeks. I really liked the Colonial Van Lines agent that I spoke to initially over the phone to arrange everything. He made the company seem very professional and he himself was. He was really great and always available to me as opposed to the person that he ultimately assigned to send me the hours. Even during the move, I had a hard time getting in contact with him. It was hard to get in touch with people to the point where I wasn't necessarily sure if they were coming the next day. The experience was not completely smooth, but ultimately, everything was fine.

No response received

My husband and I contacted this company for a quote to move across the US. The initial information sounded good and we decided to use the company. As time drew near to move we were contacted by a person named Paul from customer support informing us that we would have to accept delivery of our furniture within a small window of time. We had explained numerous times that we would have to drive 7 days to get to our new location but he told us that we would be charged an additional $500 unless we agreed to their timetable. We were also told that we would be given at least 2 days' notice of the date the furniture would be packed and loaded on the truck. We finally got a call around 4 pm the day before the movers were to arrive.

On top of that it would be a small moving company they hired to move our furniture. We were told that the furniture would take at least 9-11 days longer than the window we were given. So we told Paul we would accept delivery on the day he had given us knowing that it would not arrive for about 10 more days. He tried to talk us out of that decision. It actually took an additional 8 days to get the furniture and the only way we got updates was by our contacting the driver of the truck. We were told that we would be reimbursed for our inconvenience but that never happened. I would never use Colonial Van Lines as they are just a broker and they lie to you to get more money than the estimate.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I had a very bad experience with Colonial Van Lines for my move from South Carolina to Boston, MA and would not recommend this company for any long-distance move. I heard a lot of nice talk from people from Colonial Van Lines on the phone about what they would do, and they never did any of it as far as I can tell. To me the company is all promises with no follow-through and no accountability.

I had a budget to adhere to, and as such a binding moving estimate was important to me. I received one and talked with a number of agents regarding how to prepare for my move. I described all my furniture accurately - followed every packing instruction exactly. The movers they sub-contracted were friendly, but provided no inventory and did $300 worth of packing without ever asking me. This packing was ridiculous so I never thought I'd be charged for it. They put my vacuum into a box when I told Colonial Van Lines I had a vacuum and received no packing instructions (just it was on my inventory). They also took things I had placed in my own boxes to put into theirs. I thought this was complimentary as the guy assured me he was 'full-service'. Only when everything was in their van at 7 PM was I ever told that my estimate had jumped up by $1000.

This struck me as crazy because I described all my possessions in great detail to the moving agent on the phone (twice), and trusted their estimate of the weight. I also paid $1500 for a binding moving estimate fee (to date no Colonial Van Lines employee can tell me what that is!). This began a bad negotiation with me and the van owner (not part of Colonial Van Lines) where he was insulting and overall terrible to work with. My stuff was already packed up and it was getting dark - and though I was talking to Colonial Van Lines on the phone, they weren't helpful with the actual van owner either. The best I got was a verbal commitment to remove the $300 packing upon arrival.

I figured over the delivery time frame (came to six days) I could then work with Colonial Van Lines to express my frustrations and see what could be done. Some people listened, but passed the buck on any charges as I was assured two or three times on Wednesday/Thursday I would receive a call from a finance person to review charges before delivery, as well as request a reweight. This call never came. Instead on Sunday prior to delivery I had agitated calls from the van owner saying I had to pay via credit card up front to ensure delivery Monday. Colonial Van Lines was closed and their emergency mailbox was full. In the end it felt like my possessions were being held hostage, and I had to authorize charges I didn't agree with to ensure delivery. I was left on my own to deal with this disreputable van owner.

I've since talked to Colonial Van Lines agents about my issues and I get "I definitely understand where you're coming from" but still more promises of looking into things. It has been two weeks since delivery now. I paid $1500 for a binding estimate which never helped me, and can't get an answer to explain that charge (or for that matter any others). I ended up still paying $220 for bogus moving charges.

I never had the opportunity to request a re-weight. I'm sure the van owners failed to pass Colonial Van Lines compliance checks - but that doesn't benefit me at all. And ultimately, I just felt like Colonial Van Lines were there to take a cut of the action for placing phone calls to me, but never really did anything on my behalf to help or assist me.I thought I was paying to avoid a moving hassle, but it's not fun to deal with pushy van owners that are in possession of all your stuff with no help from the moving company who supposedly is there to help you.

Factual basis uncertain

Terrible moving experience! We do not recommend using Colonial. They lack communication, provide impersonal moving service and will exceed your budget. We booked through Colonial Van Lines because of the full service move component. Over the course of the reservation we spoke with 5 different moving agents. They would call and review the inventory, talk to us about insurance and then abruptly get off. We would call back and get voice mail. Instead of someone calling us back to answer questions we were passed to another agent. Supplemental insurance was offered but denied without reasoning. We booked through the first agent and asked for the move and auto transport. The agent booked the move but left the auto transport off. We didn't find out until a few days prior to the move with a different agent.

Colonial outsourced the job to a different moving company. When the moving company showed up 4 hours late from the expected time, they didn't have the mirror/TV boxes that were requested so I had to get a friend to go buy some in the middle of the move. They didn't provide adequate padding or wrap the furniture items. I had to ask about the paperwork (inventory sheet, billing stuff) when they started loading stuff on the truck and they gave me someone else's. I called my moving agent and then they found my paperwork. They wanted to deliver the load 2 days prior to the scheduled deliver date window. They stopped loading the truck when they found out that I wasn't going to be in Washington on the day they were going to deliver. The date didn't even fall within the scheduled delivery window.

I contacted my agent and left a message then called the emergency line and spoke with a representative who told me that the moving company could determine whatever delivery date that they wanted to. My current rep called me back and walked me through some helpful options (load our stuff in storage or unload the truck and return back in a few days to reload the truck). I was able to get my friends to supervise the unloading of our stuff since we were unable to be there 2 days early.

A few hours after the movers had left the house they called to ask me to text them pictures of the signed paperwork because they left it at my house. The unloading process was adequate except for the broken desk and the extensive damage to the interior house (staircase railing trim, holes in sheet rock, and scrapes on the trim). Once Colonial had their deposit they dropped all customer service responsibilities except for the one helpful agent who worked with us until the end.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was changing location and it's about 1,600 miles move. I'm big on reading diverse reviews, and everybody said to steer clear of old reliables that had been around forever and Colonial got good marks so I used them. The first person I talked to at Colonial assured me that he would be the only person I would talk with for the whole move. He would be my coordinator and would handle anything and everything. After Colonial got some of my money, he disappeared and there's another lady that took over with no explanation. That rubbed me the wrong way but I stuck it out with her and she worked very well and she was very helpful.

I packed the things myself then I had furniture and everything else ready for the people to pack the way they pack it. When they loaded, they were pretty organized. However, they were not quite as careful as I had hoped. I told two people with the company when and why it would take me four days to get here. But somebody didn't tell the guys who are driving and loading so they had to wait here a day and a half to off the load. That kind of ticked them off and it didn't do me any good either because I got a call in Lincoln, Nebraska that they were here waiting for me.

Everything was offloaded when I got here and they disappeared down the road. They knew that I needed the boxes that I carefully marked immediately and they were buried. The real heavy boxes were stacked on lightweight ones that were just crushed and upside down. It's a mess in the garage. There's only one thing broken and unfortunately, it's a 100 plus years old piece of glass. And so I'm still picking through it trying to find the things that I need three weeks later.

The gentleman who was the driver and the head guy with loading and unloading was a smart guy. But they have the potential to do better with a little more organization and care. I went with Colonial because I had read several people who would use them for commercial moves, and used them several times. And that to me, speaks volumes. I'm as flexible and easy to get along with as anybody can be. All they had to do was ask in certain instances but they didn't.

No response received

I am not a customer and won't be, but I had clicked on an ad for moving quotes while doing research, not knowing that emails would start coming in right away. Then the phone rang. The person identified himself as a representative for Colonial Van Lines. He was calling from a phone number in Danvers, MA. (978) 716-3904. I believe he said his name was John. He started talking and asked if I had time now. I said no, because I needed to go to sleep. He kept going about doing an inventory sheet. I asked him if that meant they don't send anyone to the house. He said no and anyone who does things by weight would use the same program and I could download their app etc.

I started to explain my situation, and said again that I did not have time at that moment because I have a terminal illness. I started to say that I really needed to go to sleep, and that I wanted to be sure I had less of a problem and so really wanted someone to come out - which is not an unreasonable request. I never got the chance. He started yelling into the phone, "Don't raise your voice to me, because you have a terminal illness. Don't take it out on me." I had not raised my voice at all. In fact, when I get tired, I usually can't raise my voice due to a lack of energy. I tried to state that to him, saying "I am not raising my voice to you." I never got the chance to say anything else because he HUNG UP THE PHONE!

If that is the service that Colonial Van Lines offers before you book with them, I would hate to see what happens after you sign a contract or after they have your belongings on a truck. Fortunately, thanks to this rude, confrontational and obnoxious salesman, I won't have to worry about it. I hope this serves as a warning to others who might think of using this carrier. I certainly wouldn't if they gave it to me free! Oh, this is my first review. Hope I have better luck.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I retired and couldn't afford to stay in California anymore so we bought a house in Florida. My husband was researching two different companies and he liked the person that he dealt with from Colonial Van Lines. He felt more secure with them. I was pretty pleased with the moving coordinator until the day the movers came. They were supposed to start packing the day before and finish on the 31st but they got there on the 31st. They went ahead and started the rest of the packing. So we're leaving a day late to begin with and it interfered with my retirement ceremony. I had to leave my ceremony early and couldn't stay for the party.

When I got there they said that it's going to be about $14,000 instead of $6,000. I was flabbergasted and devastated. They inflated what they said it would be, and then it wound up being less than what they estimated when they got there but more than what the coordinator estimated. We didn't have the money for that, and we had agreed upon 150 boxes. What they could do was take the 150 boxes then leave the rest and that was unacceptable. I had no idea what 150 boxes they were going to take. We felt our hands were tied. It's frustrating and frightening.

But there was one gentleman who was there on the pack up and on the unpacking who was wonderful. His name was Saul and he was very personable, friendly, he put us at ease, and he was there at the beginning and at the end. Then the two men that packed up had a great working relationship and good rapport with one another. And aside from the shock and horror of it being way more than we expected, they were fine.

Mary,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! Customer service is our focus at Colonial Van Lines and customer satisfaction is our most important goal. We are delighted to learn you were satisfied with your moving experience with Colonial Van Lines and we wish you the best of luck on all future endeavors.
Warm Regards,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: June 7, 2017

Move from DC to NC - Colonial provided excellent customer service; we were very happy with the quality of the packing and moving. Colonial answered my numerous questions quickly. The price for our move was very reasonable and a good value. I highly recommend Colonial especially to do all the multiple tasks that are required for a long distance move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We want to relocate from Ohio to Arizona and Colonial Van Lines was the first one I saw on the internet. Their people are perfectly very nice, friendly, willing to work and do anything I request them. The services and expectations set were very accurate. Also, working with my account manager was wonderful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife is originally from Kentucky and we decided to move back down here from Illinois. We needed a company and we called one but it didn't work out. So we called Colonial and they gave us a better deal. The guys who came were really good. We had most of our things boxed up where they just had to load them. They did a fantastic job. If we got a crew like we got, I'd very well recommend it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got a new job and was moving from Florida to Alabama. The move had been pretty easy and smooth. I basically found Colonial Van Lines online. They were much cheaper, $1,700. I also looked at Two Men and a Truck and they were charging $4,000. And this was an estimated price. They were saying, "Oh, your stuff won't take that long to get there." But that's okay. I could wait. That was their advantage.

The moving coordinator, Anthony was awesome. He was very helpful and always responded to my emails promptly. I wasn't sure of the date I was moving and he had no problem changing the date. He made it pretty easy. I only had one problem. I think Colonial Van Lines sent somebody else to pick my stuff up from the storage. And they broke my coffee table. That was just careless. I was so mad. It could have been avoided. It's glass and they just put it in the truck, had it leaning to the side of the truck. Which is what? Stupid. If you've been moving people's stuff, you don't do that. Of course, it turned over and it broke. But then the manager compensated for it by cancelling the cost of my steps, which I thought was really nice.

The guys who delivered my stuff were very helpful. They did everything that they could do. The only thing that was left for them to do was pack my clothes up. Which I told them they couldn't do because there was nowhere to put them. I had a very good experience. I didn't have to hurt my head at all with anything.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My move with Colonial Van Lines was work-related. Dealing with the moving coordinator was quite easy. The services and expectations they set were also fairly accurate. And what they had quoted me to the actual quote itself was close.

Factual basis uncertain

The first thing you should know is that Colonial Van Lines is a broker and they subcontract out to other no name locals. On our move they gave us a window of when they will pick things up and when it should be delivered. We asked and were told it would be ok for near the end of the time window. But then last minute they picked up the stuff on the first day of the window and delivered our stuff 2 days before the delivery window began. And the final cost of the move was double that of the original quote.

Because we had to clean our old house to sell we were not able to get across country in time to take delivery. So my elderly parents had to. When we did arrive several boxes were missing and we had someone else's rug. It had the colored sticker on the rug so they knew who it belonged to. Yet they told us to just keep it, only after insisting that they ship it where it belonged did they reimburse us but we still had to do the work to ship it.

Which leads me to believe they did not even try to get our boxes back and they never did. They just kept giving us the runaround and told us to file a claim which is probably cheaper than shipping our boxes back. Then to top it all off after dragging this out for a year they denied our claim. I would NEVER recommend Colonial Van Lines again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed to put together a whole move real quick and the guy from Colonial Van Lines that I was dealing with got everything I needed quickly. He gave us a quote then he called and talked to my wife. Then we got a little more in depth and got a solid quote. He worked with us from start to finish. The services were right on with the expectations he set, but we were moving in on a Super Bowl Sunday, so it wasn't really in our control. We were 95% ready when the mover showed up. He was really good and he had his stuff together. Also, the guy who drove the truck, from the independent contractor, was on the spot. Overall, it was quick and precise. I had a week to put everything together and everything fell together real well.