2. Movers

Margate, FL

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.22/5

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (6)

BOTTOM LINE

Colonial Van Lines provides long-distance moving services across the continental U.S. Movers specialize in quick, efficient corporate and residential relocations. They offer competitive pricing and require a deposit.

PROS

• Easy booking process
  • Rents portable moving containers
  • Free, instant quotes

CONS

• Deposit required

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

...They did a really good job in handling my items and I was impressed. Overall, it was an excellent experience with Colonial. They made a tense moment for me very comfortable. I already recommended them to family and friends.

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Everyone I worked with was helpful and did what they said they would do. Dixie Movers were the subcontractors that did the move. They were professional and courteous. All my belongings were handled with care... Highly recommend. Would definitely use again.

Colonial Van Lines Call Now Toll Free (800) 338-9092 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. Colonial Van Lines is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The company’s moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, they have the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
  • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
  • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
  • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Cubes moving container service

Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for consumers looking to do their own packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,000 pounds.

The Colonial Cubes process works as follows:

1. Colonial Van Lines drops the cubes off at the customer’s home.
  2. Customers either pack the cubes themselves or hire Colonial Van Lines’ professional movers pack the cubes. Once packed, the customer places their own locks on the cubes.
  3. Colonial Van Lines transports the cubes to storage and keeps them there until the customer is ready to move.
  4. When the customer is ready, Colonial delivers the cubes to their new home.

Colonial Cubes are a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. The company does not advertise rates, but companies with similar services charge around $1,000 for cross-country moves.

Colonial guarantees on-time pickup and delivery, and customers can keep their cubes in storage or at their homes for loading and unloading. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Los Angeles
  • San Jose, California
  • Chicago
  • Wyckoff, New Jersey
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Killeen, Texas
  • Seattle

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?

You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with them to be sure you’re getting the best price. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straight-forward and simple:

1. Request cross-country moving services by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
  2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
  3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobiles app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
  4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust some aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
What is the Colonial Van Lines app?
Colonial Van Lines’ free in-home moving services app makes it easy to get accurate moving cost estimates. You simply upload videos and pictures of your household goods through your phone, and then a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides your personalized moving consultation. You can also order packing materials and access educational resources about moving through the app.
Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues. It’s more difficult to move during certain times of the year in some locations, so this can increase your overall moving price too.
Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. However, Colonial Van Lines will not be liable for items that you pack yourself. If you choose to pack valuable items yourself, you might consider extra insurance for those belongings.
Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
Some Colonial Van Lines complaints reflect discrepancies between price estimates and total charges. All moving brokers and carriers pricing can fluctuate from the original quote or estimate to final delivery for a variety of reasons:
  • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could also account for a discrepancy.
  • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and therefore the cost of moving.
  • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for their labor.
  • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to upcharge when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet. If this charge is factored into the in-house estimate and the movers later determine that they can shorten this distance, your overall price will decrease.

Do we recommend Colonial Van Lines?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, they can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. Most Colonial Van Lines moving reviews are positive. Over 70 percent of verified customers within the last year said they were happy or satisfied with their experience or would recommend Colonial Van Lines to a friend.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: July 6, 2020

Colonial Van Lines fit into my schedule because it was kind of short notice and they were the only ones that were willing to come on such short notice. Their service was awesome. I'm prior military so I've done a lot of moves. I'm normally very skeptical of companies because after I got out, I had some kind of bad moves with some companies, so I was really skeptical with this company just the same way. However, when I put in for the quote and they gave me the quote back, I had somebody call me. I had somebody email me to make sure everything was okay. Then that person went over all the products and all the goods that I had in the house. They made suggestions as to what they could do and what they can't do. Then they told me, "Hey, we'll follow up with you on this and this day." I didn't get a follow-up call like two days ahead of the pick-up date so I was kinda worried.

However, on the day before the pick-up, I did get a call back. They assured me, "Hey, the driver is gonna be here. We spoke to him. He might be a little late coming in because he's in Arizona. He's coming to Arizona, and he said something about the COVID. They were stopping them a little longer,” which was fine. So, I was happy about that. The driver was able to get through whatever the process was way earlier than the time. He did call me. He said, "Hey, is it okay if I come now? We're here. You know, they let us through. If not, I could go sit at the rest stop and wait for the time." I told him he could come.

He came and got all the stuff packed in less than an hour. I was telling him I had to be on the road. I was driving from Arizona to Florida, which is a long drive. When he came to pick up my stuff, I still was like, "This is just too good to be true." I envisioned something to happen. That was my thought process the whole time. I did tell the driver, "Look, I don't know when you're gonna get to Florida, but I want to stop a couple of days in Texas by my family." He said, "Hey, no problem." He's got to go somewhere. He's got to make some other pick-ups. He was like, "I'll call you and I'll let you know when I'm bringing your stuff.” He did call me. One thing that I had told him was I was gonna drop the stuff off at the house. When he called me, I said, “I’m sorry. The stuff was supposed to be dropped off at my storage, which is close to the house.” He said, “Hey, no problem, ma’am. Can I get them at the storage.”

When he dropped off my stuff, he even helped me repack my storage because my daughter and I were just throwing crap in there. He actually fixed the stuff. They quoted me the price and I paid the one half and then I had to pay the other half at drop-off. When I went to pay, he told me that what I had was way less. So it went down. He said that it was less so I paid less. To me, it was a good experience. I was happy. When I spoke to the people at Colonial, I asked, “Who are you? I need to understand.” And they were telling me and explained to me they’re not a broker. They are the company and they have all these different sections. The person who I made the reservation with turned me over to the person who was responsible for the truck guy. And then I also had a person who was responsible for the entire move. So, I had people to contact.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

The delivery date kept changing for Colonial Van Lines to deliver our furniture to Georgia. One day, they called us and said we couldn’t do the delivery that day. And then later on, they called back again and said we can move it to the original date. And we said, “We have made arrangements now for people to help us, so we can’t move it back again.” So, there was a change twice.

A mattress had to go upstairs and the guy who was in charge said he couldn’t do it. And I said, “You push that down.” He said, “Well, we can’t just keep waiting to do this. We gotta move on.” They’re experienced, but I was looking at them trying to take it upstairs. I said, “You go one way and bring it down. You can bring it out.” One of the guys that was with him said, “Try it.” But the one who was in charge wouldn’t do it. He said, “If I mess up the wall, then we’d be responsible for it.”The guy took the mattress and I said, “How am I gonna get the mattress up there? You know, it had to go upstairs.” I knew it could come upstairs. And there were three of them. When my son came home, he took it up with my husband with no problem. It was only my son who did it. My husband pushed it but my son maneuvered the mattress. And I said, “They could’ve done that themselves.”

After the delivery guys were long gone, you don’t open all the containers until later. I found out that some of my vases that I look at at night were broken. My husband said, “We got to superglue with the glass. It’s broken on the frame. You lost that. You gotta go get another frame.” I had about three of those that were broken. They’re picture frames that I put on the wall and in the bathroom. The glass was broken in them. I didn’t know it until my husband called. We had opened up everything and so I just opened the one upstairs, “Oh, no, not this. This is not broken.” But it was.

One time they said that our furniture would be the only ones in the truck. I had some picture frames that were broken. I didn’t see any damage with furniture. I don’t know if they threw the boxes in, or raised them again to get the other people furniture on. When they loaded up, it was raining and I had a cold, so I wasn’t outside that much. Also, the container was so dirty. It had some problem. We made a complaint. We told them about it when they were unpacking.

We had five items in total that didn’t belong to us. One was a big table. Then they opened up a picture frame and I said, “That’s not ours.” They put it against the wall. So, we began to open up our furniture and said, “Oh, this is not ours.” We also opened a nice mirror and some picture frames. We have items in our garage now waiting for Van Lines to pick them up. In the beginning, it was less expensive. But when you finish adding it up, it became very expensive. But other than those things, Colonial was good in a sense. They moved in there pretty well. It was beginning to rain so they worked pretty fast. They did what I asked them to.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

Colonial Van Lines was really good about getting back to you and calling you pretty much constantly about the move. What bothers me about them most of all was that when I found that they were gonna sub it out, I asked them if they were a moving company. They said they do that and that they have their trucks but they have to sub this one out. I told them I didn't like that very much but I was kind of under the gun where I had to leave and I couldn't put it off, so that was fine.

They quoted me a price for the move in the beginning, and I was okay with that and all the supplies that were needed, but when the boys came to move me and they packed everything up, they wanted $1,602. They were calling their boss, and I could hear him talking to them, and he was saying that I could pay cash. I told them that that was not gonna happen and it was a Saturday, so the banks are closed. I then heard the guy say, "Well, she can pay with a debit card." I said no again. They said it was for extra supplies.

I couldn't call Colonial because they were closed, and that bothered me a lot. There was nobody to get ahold of on Saturday or Sunday to find out what was going on and why they needed an extra $1,602. So I didn't pay it. But they did move me and nothing was said about this $1,602. They didn't mention it, but they wanted the remaining of the bill to be paid and that they wanted $5,000. I already paid 2,000 as a downpayment and the total was supposed to be 5,000, but by the time they got done, they wanted 7,000 and they wouldn't unload the truck until I did.

I have a really good relationship with my credit card company. So I called them ahead and let them know. The movers kept saying that it was for extra supplies and that it was 1,000 more pounds. They were right. I have the bill of lading. It was 1,000 over what we estimated, so they get extra money for things being heavy and for all the shrink wrap. But the boys were very nice. They were only following orders because I could hear the guy talking to their boss, and he had a heavy Indian accent, but he wanted cash. I told them that I was gonna put it on the credit card, but I was not happy with this, and that I would be getting back with Colonial when I can get ahold of them. It was too much. It was not what I was quoted. But I paid them.

The boys that did the move couldn't have been nicer. They were careful. They were kind, professional and courteous. They did an excellent job. They were just doing what their boss told them to do when it came to the money. They worked really, really hard. All said and done, I called Colonial on Monday, and last week, I got a refund for $1,673. But I told Colonial that they need to explain this better because when I called them, they estimated and got everything which I said not until it was ready to move, then I find out that I was gonna have a sub and I didn't like that. I also didn't like the fact that I couldn't get ahold of them over the weekend. They kept saying that they were trying to do it an overnighter since it was a quick move. But that was what they're in the business to do.

I would still recommend them because Colonial themselves stood behind what they said. They have been very good about calling me back, checking in with me and getting things taken care of. So I was very pleased about that. I really never had that much attention from any company at all, and I've moved before and I didn't get that either. But with Colonial, I heard from a claims person and from almost every person in the department, the coordinator, the organizer, the estimator, and the director of quality. They're a big team and they all call. So I give them kudos for that. It's just the sub is a little sketchy. They need to check out their subs that they give out jobs to a little more.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

We were in St. Cloud, Minnesota and I tried to go through 2 big companies for this move. Mayflower said they won't be able to do it. The other company, Allied, has a quotation that was a little bit higher and they had little bit more delayed time as they wouldn't be available for another 5 or 6 days. So, I ended with Colonial and the coordinator did a good job doing the over the phone quotation. We talked about what's in every room and he asked about furniture, bookcases, and all those things. However, we had only 4,200 or 4,300 pounds but they estimated 5,300. Then he asked us to wait a little bit more for the packaging cost. Also, compared with Allied, they were able to send representatives in person who took a look at the house. And based on his actual visit, he estimated a different quote but the weight was similar in both quotations.

This was our first experience moving this big so we had some learning curve to go through. Also, it was over the Christmas break and we were in a rush to see how soon they can pick it up. Everything went well at first but I did not know first hand that there is another third party company involved. I thought Colonial is the main company who's more like the big moving companies but then they recommended me to Mover Dudes, which handles everything. And until I got the Mover Dudes' number from Colonial, I did not know when exactly they were gonna pick it up or any ETA, so I had a little bit of a hard couple of days dealing with the customer service.

There were some times I was frustrated I couldn't get any information from them, because they do not know anything until I kept calling them and try to find out. But at the same time, I was able to talk to Mover Dudes and then got more information than the Colonial representative about this move. In a way, it was a customer rapport deal with my issue and later on they had to switch to someone else. So, they assigned my move to another customer representative.

The other thing is they had to refund us some balance since we were under 5,000. For that balance check, I was supposed to directly call to the Colonial accounts department. I left a couple of messages to the accounts representative who's handling the accounts but because they had different branches, they kept sending me emails like, "Oh, I'm from this department. I'm handling this, I'm handling that." They take the full responsibility and the first two days, I was bombarded with all these department emails. I had to go through it so many times and tried to figure out, "Okay, where is the balance check coming from, refund comes from?"

Then again, I called the Mover Dudes and they said, "It's gonna be written from them but they don't know whether they're supposed to send it to Colonial or they're supposed to send direct to me." It took a few days to figure that out, but after that, the Mover Dudes sent it to me directly. But since then, Colonial did not call me to finalize the move or anything like that. They just disappeared from the picture.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for sharing! And thank you for speaking with me today! I'm glad we could get everything squared away and that the move overall went well :)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Colonial Van Lines' sales rep was informative and responsive. The one who assisted me through the move walked me through pretty clearly how they would charge me and the differences of how they charge versus other movers. The rate they charged me was accurate. The guy was also easy to talk with. We had to go back and forth but he was responsive. Also, Colonial fit into my schedule. The time schedule got a little tight though. He had to get some information to me and he did. There was one slight delay but it all worked out fine. I wound up moving when I needed to move. Overall, he did a good job.

There were a couple of minor issues but nothing to the extent that I would not use Colonial again. With the hiccups we encountered, some were handled better than others. Aside from the sales rep, I also talked with two other people throughout the process. They were trying to get me into a timeslot that was kind of near date. Based on what I told them that we were moving and all the packages, we went through that several times. The guy was very patient with me in doing that.

They charged me a little bit extra - the minimum weight. I was just under that weight though. But they said they would charge me 4,000 pounds because to get onto the truck at this date, that was kinda what they needed to do. I said it was fine. It wasn't a big deal. But they couldn't make the date and they pushed it back two days. At the end of the day, it didn't make a difference. But I was looking for a little recovery on that cost. They doubled the price but they didn't come in on the date they said. I asked that they charge me for what I have but they didn't do that. The sales rep couldn't get that accomplished. I talked to somebody in customer service and that conversation started off a little cranky because they were confirming if the movers came and if I was talking about a different date. I was like, "What are you talking about? We had this date."

It was a little bit of a date issue. Everybody I dealt with was trying to be helpful. My big thing was they charged me for 4,000 pounds when I had 3,000 something pounds. They charged me for a very particular date range and it was two days past that when the movers came. But they explained to me that it was near a holiday and it was the same truck. It was just delayed. I went with it. The movers came within the ultimate window I needed them to come. They also did a really good job so it wasn't a bad experience.

The only person that didn't really do a great job was the woman who had the title of account manager. I was not quite sure when the movers were coming. The logistics person who I was talking to left off saying he would do his best and promised that they would be there by Sunday even though I requested Friday. That was when we last talked. I was supposed to get a call from the account manager 48 hours before the truck came. I never got that call. Process-wise, that's where the improvement should be.

This account manager was a little MIA at times. After the move, she called me about the move as if it didn't happen yet. She didn't have an update or she didn't have the right paperwork. Maybe she was new and she was just making mistakes. But she called me twice after my move to ask me about the prep for the anticipated move. I told her that it's been almost a week later. I had already moved. They came and I was done. That part was the weakest link.

Those two little hiccups aside, I would recommend Colonial. Overall, it was a positive experience. Moving is really difficult, emotional and physically draining. But everything came. Different moving teams came to my home because they do a little handoff. It was a different team that delivered my stuff and when I arrived at my new location. But both teams were super fantastic, especially the guy that came and picked my stuff up. They did a tremendous job. They marked everything and numbered everything. They wrapped things that needed to be wrapped. They really took care of what needed to be taken care of that I didn't have ready. And they didn't charge me a lot. There were no extra charges too.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Richard, Thank you for the positive feedback.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I was moving for work and I went with Colonial Van Lines due to their price. The rep was great and the quote was within $10 of the cost as well. The movers gave me two days that they would be there. They were a day late, but they got the job done in time. They crushed it, so it was fine.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

I was glad I had packed as much stuff myself as I had. Packing done by the movers was very poor. Many items were more or less dumped into wardrobe boxes without much, if any, paper or packing material. After pointing out the record/vinyl turntable specifically and being assured they knew how to pack it, when we unpacked, it was dumped in a wardrobe box, turned on its side, and it had become disassembled. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to unpack everything. There are a few more items that I hope were handled professionally and I hope they are not broken. You get what you pay for of course. I thought the price was reasonable. I had not planned on such poor packing.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Colonial was cheaper than the other options available and they had earlier dates. I did an estimate online and I got an email response right away. They were very prompt. Within two email exchanges, I got a phone call and they answered all my questions. They were able to tell me how much the deposit was and they were willing to hold the estimated amount for 24 hours so that I could gather the money. They were really understanding.

This was amidst the COVID situation and they were even understanding in that. Other moving companies kept pushing me back because the pickup was in New York City and it was during the highest point of COVID. Colonial didn’t think twice about it, which was amazing under the circumstances. It’s bad enough I'm dealing with a family death, but to then deal with concern for my mother and having to deal with this move, so when I say they were awesome, they were awesome.

They came in for the pickup and all my mom had to do was point and they packed up everything. They had a one-bedroom apartment packed in maybe five hours and was loading it onto the truck. Once they got to Tennessee, which is where I am, to drop it off, they were the nicest. They kept me posted in case they were gonna be late because they started to run into traffic as they got closer to Nashville. But they got here on the time they said they were gonna get here and they unloaded pretty quickly.

They asked if they could play music, which I had no problem with. They used a covering on their feet to come in and out of my house and they wiped down stuff when they were taking it off the truck. They really did what they were supposed to do and they were friendly about it too. I really appreciated that. Also, there was a piece of furniture I thought I wanted in one place and then decided I wanted it in another. They were nice enough to move it for the second time. They put everything together. I'm sure I'll be using them again in December because my son is moving into his own apartment in January in Florida. They definitely got a customer. For as long as I need to move, I'll call them first.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I did an online find the mover quiz things where several auction people would contact you. Colonial and one other company were the only two that responded and Colonial continued with follow up. They were helpful in setting up my move and in explaining what would happen next. The case manager I had explained things in detail. They were in contact pretty much right up into the day of the move.

The subcontract movers, Glass City Movers, came and packed for me and loaded it out in a day. I have an 1800 square foot house and it had to get into a van in a short period of time. I never saw people worked so hard and they took great care in packing glass and small items that I had. On the delivery date, it was a whole other crew but they were quite efficient, friendly, and easy to work with. It does not appear that any of the unboxed furniture was damaged, but they didn't open every box as they were unloading it because it was just going into a storage unit. They were really good.

After the move, Colonial seemed to not know that I had moved nor that I got delivered because they said they would call on the day of the move to make sure things were going but no one called. I called them to give compliments on Glass City Movers and I didn't get the person that helped me. Then, a week after delivery, they called again to make sure that my stuff had been delivered. But I appreciate the follow up and the guy said that somebody else had the case and they were gone. And I get it. The fact that I got lost in their system isn't necessarily a reflection of them, other than the timing and a pandemic. Everybody at Colonial Van Lines has been very pleasant to work with and that made it a very good experience.

Original review: July 30, 2020

This moving company was great! Even in a pandemic they picked up cars/packed the entire house! Highly recommend. Friendly staff, always in contact with any time changes. Totally on top of the movers & transport. They are open 24 hours a day & would keep me up to date with all & any changes.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information