Margate, FL

4.0/5 (234 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Verified

… They just hustled. There wasn't a thing damaged and nothing was lost. My family moved from California to Massachusetts to Houston, Texas. We're familiar with movers and they wer...

Verified

… The coordinator was thorough. Things changed once we got stuff loaded and reweighed, but there was constant communication. If anything changed, it was easy to call them and fix ...

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. The company is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, it has the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
    • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
    • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
    • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines' relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
    Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
    Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
    Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines costs

Colonial Van Lines pricing depends on your location and the weight of your belongings. Movers charge additional fees for express delivery, additional moving insurance and storage. Expect to pay more if the movers have to park more than 75 feet from your doorway or if they have to navigate stairs. We were quoted a range from $1,550 to $3,100 to move the contents of a three-bedroom house from Chicago to Houston when booking two months in advance.

Colonial Van Lines now offers a free in-home moving services app to help. You can upload pictures and videos of your household goods and request special services through your phone, and a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides a quote. You can also order packing materials and access moving tips and checklists through the app.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?

Many Colonial Van Lines complaints are left by customers who were annoyed that their estimate was lower than what they actually ended up paying. In some cases, initial estimates were more than $1,000 off. Colonial Van Lines’ pricing can fluctuate from the original quote for a variety of reasons:

• Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could account for a change in the final cost of a move.
    • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and, therefore, the cost of moving.
    • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than they initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for the labor.
    • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to charge extra when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet or if they have to climb stairs.
    How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?

You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with the company. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straightforward:

1. Request information by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
    2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, the date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
    3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobile app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
    4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust any aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
    Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?

It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues.

Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?

Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. Keep in mind, however, that it may be more difficult to make a claim against Colonial Van Lines for a damaged valuable if you packed it yourself.

What is the Colonial Cubes moving container service?

Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for both do-it-yourself and full-service packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,500 pounds.

Colonial Cubes can be a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Chicago
    • Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
    • Garner, N.C.
    • Killeen, Texas
    • Los Angeles
    • Sacramento, Calif.
    • Seattle
    • Wyckoff, N.J.

Is Colonial Van Lines a good moving company?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, it can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. The family-owned company has over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry. The business claims to facilitate 12,000 moves each year. Overall, most of the company’s reviews and ratings are positive.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Their rep gave me a good estimate. Colonial stuck to their estimate. I had to add a couple of items that are not major ones but there were several and they didn't have any trouble doing that. I just had one or two times where I had to switch between people. It wasn't too disconcerting but it could be a little bit better. The move was planned with a couple of days in between and then somebody called me and said they would do a pack and load on Sunday. Then, it seems like at the last minute, a change was made to Saturday. I have the right days now, which were within the window that it was originally quoted, but I wish they had given me a little more time.

I was closing on my house on a Monday and they were gonna drop the load on a Wednesday. And from New Jersey to Florida, it's a two-day trip by car, which I had to do. I rushed down to make sure I could make it by the 16th. Apparently, the movers had mechanical trouble with the truck so it wasn't delivered until several days later. My son is down here and I was planning to stay with him until I got everything settled in the place. So that didn't inconvenience me. It just caused me to rush down here to make sure I'd be here on this day the delivery was occurring. But you can't forecast mechanical breakdown and the movers themselves were awesome. Everything was intact. There were a couple of little scratches here or there, but nothing on anything significant. There's nothing to worry about so no insurance claims were needed. They unpacked and set up. Those two guys were great. Apparently, their timing was out of their control.

Bruce,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2022

We were both retired military and we had our house packed up and moved into storage. So, I was able to forward them a copy of the military moving company and what they boxed up and put into storage. I was able to hand it to the rep and he was able to look at that and give me a direct quote. We came in at about 1,000 pounds below what we had estimated and the bill didn't change. But if we had come in 1,000 pounds over, that bill would have gone up. Another issue that we had was we were given a 72-hour window to be at said location because we're not living in New Mexico anymore. So, we flew out to New Mexico and sat there for 72 hours. They busted the 72-hour window by about 36 hours. So we had to stay in New Mexico an extra night.

Colonial gave us a window of a week out. So I booked airline tickets, and then they tried to do it ahead of our schedule. But I said, "Look, you gave us this window, a week out. We bought airline tickets. We're going to be here during this time." So they said, "Okay." We ended up having to stay an extra day and a half waiting for the movers to come. So out of that 72-hour window, they came the next evening after that 72-hour period. They showed up at 5:00pm, but they completely had our storage unit packed out by midnight.

The two guys drove over the weekend and they showed up at our house in Northwest Florida Monday evening that same time in the evening and unloaded everything and they left at 10:00pm. Other than being night movers, nothing was broken. The two gentlemen who did the work were absolutely phenomenal. Overall, it was a decent experience with a few minor glitches. Also, they were at least 50% less than every other mover.

Original review: May 27, 2022

We liked that Colonial Van Lines was national and they and seemed more reliable. However, there were some complications in getting it set up. Initially, we had a window of the 17th to the 19th. We needed to be out of our place by the 20th and we were told that it was going to delay until at least the 20th. Then there were a few days where it seemed to go back and forth. They were able to pick us up before we needed to be moved out but that was a surprising part of the process. Also, Colonial was one of the more expensive ones that we looked at. Ours ended up being right at the minimum in terms of the amount of stuff we had. That was not as cost-effective as if we had gone with some others. But the quotes that we got appeared to be very reliable. It ended up what we were told we'd be charged and what we were charged in the end corresponded as well.

It seemed there were supposed to have been more than one person originally who had been assigned for the unloading at the end of the trip, and it ended up being just one person. On the loading side, there were three or four. The person who unloaded did well and it was done in as reasonable amount of time as could be expected but they needed a little bit of help at some point. That was disappointing that we had to jump in and help. It wasn't their fault but we paid for the service so that we wouldn't have to do as much of that and ended up having to do it for some of the very large, heavy things.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: May 21, 2022

Colonial's price was good compared to another quote that I received. I told them I would really appreciate it if the pick-up was on a Saturday because I work during the week. They said they would call me midweek and let me know what day it was going to be. As we got toward the middle of the week, I hadn't heard anything so I called and they told me it was going to be on Friday. I took off work and I went to the storage facility on Friday and they didn't show up. I called them and they said the truck broke down and they were going to be late. I asked how late and they said they would let me know.

The whole day went by and I didn't hear anything. They called me later in the day on Friday and told me that it was gonna be like Tuesday. I found out later that they had rerouted the load because they wanted to pick up another load from someone else. They didn't get to my storage place until Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. I was not at all happy with how the pick-up was scheduled and carried out. That aside, the rest of the process went really well. The couple who showed up here to make the delivery were very professional. The guy really knew how to pack a truck most efficiently and they worked well together as a team. On the whole, I was disappointed on the front end and I was satisfied on the back end.

Robert,

Original review: April 5, 2022

I was in the process of getting bids from different companies when I was in Myrtle Beach and Colonial happened to pop up on my computer. I checked on them and did a little bit of background check. I ended up calling them. Their rep was very cordial. I've moved enough times that I can tell when somebody is trying to pull some wool. He was surprised that I was able to come back to him with some things about the trucking industry. He backed up and regrouped when told him I drove a tractor-trailer for seven years across the country. He knew that he couldn't bamboozle me.

The rep was trying to do me a favor and the driver was wanting to come in early. He told dispatch not to let them come in. They dropped the ball and never called me to tell me that they wouldn't be there. I stayed up most of the night to try to finish getting everything packed and ready to go. I ended up sitting there waiting for a whole day. When I called and talked to him, he owned up to it right away. He said, “That's totally on me. I did that. I didn't think you would be ready.” But I am always ready when the truck shows up.

The two guys that came out were very nice. One was very accommodating and he helped me out with a few things, which I told him ahead of time. One was with my TV. It was a big TV and it was too big for me and too heavy for me to handle by myself. I have the box here and I needed somebody to help me pick up the TV and put it in the box. Once he saw that I needed the help, he that was not my job. He and his helper put it in the box and they padded it very well. I had some glass and he was really afraid to take it because he was afraid it was going to get broken. I said, “If you wrap it in your pads, even if you have to wrap it twice, it should be fine. Unless you set something on top of it or it just literally falls without the padding, then we’re gonna have an issue.” He padded it.

They were there at 8 o'clock in the morning and were done by 2 o'clock. I had everything boxed up and ready to go for the most part. I had enough phone numbers for the different people. They made sure that I had enough people that I could contact. To make sure that even if I couldn't get ahold of one I wanted, I had somebody else that I could contact then they could do their thing inside the building with whoever it was that I needed to talk to. I had the driver’s cell number as well.

When he loaded up, he said, “I live in Virginia, would you mind if I took an extra day and went home to see my kids for at least 24 hours?” That was fine with me. My husband and I drove cross country so I understand. I was not here when he showed up. But he called me and he said, “I'm here. Can I start unloading?” I said I would be there in about five minutes. When I got here, they already started unloading. I was running back and forth. I assumed I had everything. It took them five hours to load and two hours to unload.

On the whole, there were a few little issues, but nothing that I was going to complain about. The one thing that threw me for a curve was there were three of them unloading the truck and they had me busy running back and forth between the truck and here in the house. One of them hit one of the corners on the doorways and knocked the drywall off the corner about the size of a quarter and they didn't tell me about it. They were gone by the time I saw it. It wasn't the end of the earth and it wasn’t life-threatening. But it put a sour taste in my mouth. It would have been better if they had just said, “We had an accident. This is what we just did. We want you to know about it.”

Elaine,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. I want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I called Colonial once last week and once today. When they made the delivery, they told me that I had to pay $707 and I had to pay in 30 days. I called twice to pay it, but no one seemed to know what I was talking about. But my experience was good. The only complaint I had was that they told us we would have our furniture from California to Texas in five days, but it took two weeks. They called me to give me dates that it was the expected arrival, but I didn't expect it to take two weeks to get here and nobody could tell me why.

Tyrone,

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Colonial was a pleasure to deal with. The people that assisted us during the move were fabulous. They were extremely helpful. There were three of them that came out of Memphis and we were in McDonough. Then there were four that came here out of Atlanta. The second crew seemed more organized. The fact that their crew out of Memphis was a little bit late getting there may have slowed them down a little bit. On the first day, they got there at 7:30 and it was dark when they left. They packed all day. Then they started loading the next day. When they got finished, it was late that night too. We went the next day and came down. It was the next day after that that they got here.

A suggestion for improvement would be that when they remove things that assemble pieces such as screws or clips, it would have been more helpful to have those items taped in a Ziploc bag to what they go with. I'm still trying to find some clips for some of my things. Even though they gave me the bag, I don't know that everything is in there. We also have one TV that wound up broken.

Vickie,

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Colonial Van Lines was very thorough with their explanation and follow-up, and they worked with me on getting the price down to which seemed affordable. The coordination, and the pickup and delivery, were better than I expected. Both of the companies that they contracted with were wonderful. The drivers for both pickup and delivery were great. They were timely and showed up exactly when they said they would.

I was nervous because it was a 50-50 on reviews. There was one time when I was very nervous because I handled all this on my own because my husband took a new job here in Arizona and he wasn't able to handle any of the coordination. Some of the language in the email was different from the language that was spoken on the phone. So, I almost canceled. I left a frantic voicemail and got a call back from three people who helped walk me through it and explained to me everything in plain language without all the other technical stuff. It was a lot easier to understand and everything unfolded the way they explained.

Jessica,

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

The reps from Colonial who helped me set up were very good and professional. The cost went up a little bit but I was prepared for that. There was an 800-pound gun safe that was added to moving a bulky item cost. The crew got the moving done professionally and hauled it from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania down to Tyler, Texas. It came two days after Christmas and I was already down here. But I was not inconvenienced at all. It was what Colonial had said and it was within the timeframe they had given me. I didn't expect it to go straight through and it sort of moved from hub to hub to make a benefit of their time and their work crews. But the timing was good enough. Everything went well.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

The first person I talked to was Daniel and he is from Colonial Van Lines, and after talking with him for a little while, I felt like I could trust him more than I could some of the other ones I was talking to. He was more trustworthy-sounding, and he answered all my questions completely, and in a way that I could easily understand that made sense to me. It just kind of sucks that my stuff didn't weigh the minimal. We got rid of all my stuff.

I originally looked at doing the pod because they're so much smaller and it was what I needed. I just would have had to pay even more for a pod because they don't load it and then unload it. So, I would've had to pay a moving company to come and load and unload it. That was what Colonial did, so it turned out that much better because of it. The people who did the moving and the picking up were nice. They were very fast. There were three of them. I have some things that you hang up on your walls, and those were the only thing that really wasn't wrapped. They helped me package that up.

Samantha,