Call toll free
4.13/5
Based on 370 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Margate, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

737 Colonial Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 10 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

I've been moving straight through from the city to Florida. I got lots of tools, hardware and other things that I brought up myself in my pick-up. But the last trips up and down, I couldn't do it. I had a couple of pieces with one I'm keeping and one I'm cutting down because it was too big. So I looked at Colonial's reviews and called in for an estimate. The guy said he was based on Florida which was where I was moving. Most of the stuff were all boxed and ready to. I just had a couple of pieces with one I'm keeping and one I'm cutting down because it's too big.

Colonial Van Lines was on top of everything, but maybe too much to a point that I've been getting calls when they got something. Also, the driver would call saying what he got. Nevertheless, they were there on time in delivery. They came on Friday and delivered on Monday. I had to race to get down there. They put my stuff in the garage and offered to bring them inside. It wasn't necessary but they brought some stuff inside. I was happy with the driver and the guys.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

After checking a couple of places, we decided to go with Colonial Van Lines. They came up with the preliminary estimate, sent a fellow out to look at the inventory and then revised the original estimate. They modified that again when they weighed the truck. However, there were several different pass-offs of personnel that we dealt with during the whole process. We went to four people handling the account, so I wish Colonial didn't swap guys out so often and they kept the same person with the same account. Other than that, they did well in assisting me and we were very pleased with it.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We recently moved from CT to TN. After much online research we chose Colonial Van Lines, Tarmac FL. I must say that Michelle, Paul and Carol were in constant contact. The actual mover was A1 movers, Scott is the owner driver. Meticulous, hardworking and punctual. His crews were the same way. Nothing broken, nothing missing. Awesome. Colonial also arranged custom crating for 8 taxidermy mounts, quality work (custom movers, Ohio). And instead of the horror stories of overcharges, our final bill was 750.00$ less than the estimate. If you hire Colonial ask for Michele ** and try to arrange for A1. 5 stars.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was moving for over a 1,000 miles away and went with Colonial because of their price. Their phone reps helped out a lot and the main person in charge of packing and moving was really good. But the other ones were really inexperienced. I needed to keep an eye on everything single one of the packers, 'cause they packed things that I didn't want packed. And it took them about nine hours to finish things up. Overall, they did a good job but they could have been faster.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I was moving my daughter's stuff and of the three moving companies that I've called, Colonial Van Lines was the least expensive. I had some time frames that we were trying to get through and I was a little frustrated at the beginning. The upfront communication with the broker could have been a little bit better. I had to track them down a bit but in the end, they called me back. Then, we've already packed almost everything and they had a few things to take apart and pack. They were supposed to get there at 8:00 but they didn't get there until 5:00. And so, we got all packed up three and a half hours later. Nevertheless, everyone did a good job and everything arrived in good shape when they said it would. The movers were friendly and everything worked out in the end. I was satisfied with Colonial Van Lines.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

We needed to move during the summer and it was an out of time notice and Colonial Van Lines could do the time that we needed to move by. I called and explained when we had to move and what we had. They then sent an estimate, which seemed fine. We booked and they gave us a window. Based on that, we moved. They came one day and moved in the next day. The coordinator was great, very organized, accurate and good. The movers were really good with one caveat. We had a mirror and the stand from it was forgotten to be taken out so we are missing that. We mentioned it, but I think it’s probably gone now.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Joshua! I'm happy to hear we were able to meet your expectations and everything went swell with your move. We apologize for your missing items, were you provided with information on filing a claim? If you would like to discuss the claims process with us please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. My name is Stephany and I can be reached at (888)866-5826

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Colonial Van Lines was easy to work with. Colonial Van Lines was able to provide us with a reasonably priced quote quickly and able to lock in our move with only 4 weeks notice. Great customer service, a number of people called after our move to make sure all was well.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for being a client and trusting Colonial Van Lines with your move. Please recommend us to anyone else looking to move and follow us on Facebook for helpful lifestyle blogs!

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

When I first got the call from the lady that helped set up the move I thought this was going to be a pleasant experience but this wasn't true. After hanging up with her I had problems getting her to return calls or emails and the only emails that I received from her seemed to be ones that were time sequence emails that were programmed in to send out. We were initially told that a Colonial van would show up to move us from Las Vegas to Northern Utah on a Monday or Tuesday but most likely on the Monday. I was in Utah before the move and the Friday before I headed back to Las Vegas and I was in Southern Utah when I finally received a phone call from some other company saying that they would meet up with me at 8 AM on Tuesday. I was a little worried why somebody else was calling me because of all of the scams especially in the Vegas area.

I called Colonial and wasn't able to get in touch with the agent but the operator said she would leave them a message but she could see that the move had been contracted out since they didn't have a truck in the area. They never told me that they contracted out to local movers until this call and this is where the nightmare really took off. That Tuesday I was up early to head to the house to meet the movers and instead of showing up at 8 AM like they said they showed up around 11 AM. I immediately asked the supervisor where the others were as it was only him and his teenage son. This house that we moved into took four guys a whole day to move out of our previous place and move it over so I knew for two people it was going to be a workout even though I had most of the boxes and furniture all located in the garage, dining room and living room which was a straight shot out through the garage door.

The agent did call me and asked how it was going and I told him that only two showed up and he told me that it was supposed to be four guys loading and one supervisor to do inventory paperwork and not just the guy and his son. I was told that this would be resolved immediately which took almost four hours before anybody else showed up. In the process I watched this guy and his son bringing my washer and dryer units down the stairs on a dolly without straps securing the units to the dolly. I was dumbfounded and angry seeing this as the units were bouncing on the dolly as they were bringing it down unstrapped and unprotected. I also watched the teenage son sliding boxes down the stairs. When two more guys showed up I watched one guy stand our sofa sleeper on its side and then it fell over onto a recliner. It wasn't until almost 8 PM that they finally got everything loaded up and everybody was heading out.

I went through the place before they left and picked up numerous discarded tape rolls that they used to tape furniture pads with. Using tape was ok but then just throwing them on the floor just made more work for me to pick up. The last movers used wide shrink wrap instead of tape and didn't discard the used rolls on the floors. This move took them more time to load than it took another company to load and unload when we moved into the place and the one local moving company we had used before had a lot harder move as it was a condo unit that they had to walk through down a winding sidewalk to the truck and then when unloading a lot of stuff they had to carry up the stairs. The next day they showed up in Utah and it was the same main guy and one guy that showed up at 3 PM. While unloading they dropped boxes down on the floor which caused boxes to split open.

Boxes that they brought in on the dolly were not strapped or securely held while bringing them upright so the boxes caved in as they had very light boxes on the bottom and heavy boxes on top. A lot of the boxes were brand new and were very well packed luckily as by the time they were done the boxes looked like they had been through a battle scene of destruction. We had wardrobe boxes that had been through multiple moves and still almost looked brand new before they loaded and unloaded them as we had to throw them away as they tore them up by ramming the dolly into them and slicing up the bottoms. The main guy brought a solid wood microwave cart off of the truck and I watched him run it right into the curb and then he tipped it up to check the area for damage. I was looking through the doorway and saw him move the mat away from the caster and you could tell the caster was broken off.

He tried to hide it but you could tell it was broken. Then later when bring in some furniture this guy had the never to say that when you have big heavy furniture you better expect having damaged furniture or scuffed up walls during the move. This had to be the most stressful move my wife and I have ever done and usually we get a U-Haul and have a local team load but we didn't want to do this. We didn't do this because of the drive we would have to do with a 26' truck and a large trailer and then still have to figure out how to get another vehicle to Utah. Between all of the stress, watching them damage our property, listening to rude comments by the one person and just the unprofessional attitude of the guys.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hello Dean. We apologize for the experience you had and would like to reach out to you in order to resolve your issues. We take our reputation very seriously and this is not an example of the standards we have set here at Colonial Van Lines. We have located your information and our resolutions manager, Teheria will be in contact with you soon. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My friend and I were both moving out to Athens, Georgia at the same time. She had worked with Colonial Van Lines and she said that everybody seemed to be very professional there, so I chose them. Their moving coordinator was very responsive, professional, and polite. Even when I pushed back and it was not my area of expertise, she explained situations through so that I understood that she really knew what she was talking about and that I should follow her advice.

Also, there was a manager named Natalie who assisted me in the beginning. She took my order and helped me put together an estimate of everything. When it was getting to the time of the move, that was handed over to somebody else. However, my movers came on the 4th of July and Colonial's offices were closed. I ended up having some worries and problems. One point of dissatisfaction was I was not made aware, or I didn't see a line in all the paperwork that I signed that said, that the work could be subcontracted out. I was taken aback that the movers that came weren't actually with Colonial Van Lines, so it was a little discouraging to me because I thought that there was a good opportunity for Colonial to lose control of the situation if they are subcontracting out the work.

The guy that came was very nice and very professional, but he wanted cash up front and he said that it was to pay his movers. I was taken aback again because it was the 4th of July and the banks were closed. I didn't know if I was getting scammed or if that was okay. Nobody had told me that that might happen. I've spoken to him two times before and he never told me that he would like to have some cash in advance to pay for his moving crew. He wanted $400, so I ran around to three different ATMs to try to get enough. A fraud alert was triggered on my debit card because of all of those activities and that pissed me off.

I also had a point of confusion because I asked the driver how the weight was calculated. He said that before he came here, the van was empty and he had it weighed, but before they even started putting things in the truck, I looked inside the van and it was already a third full with some of the other stuff. I wondered why he told me that the van was empty. I was worried that I might be getting doubled ditched or that he was charging from the weight of the other person's move as well. He showed me the sheet that showed the weight, but I couldn't figure out how the time was calculated either when the weighing was done. That was a little worrisome because the move was expensive.

But all in all, he did a very good job. Everything was very well wrapped, although there was only one thing broken. It was a bird bath that they had put on the floor without any padding and it broke in half. It was not a big deal with the worth of my time to file a claim and given that I got reimbursed by the pound, I probably would have gotten $5 back at the most. Given everything else, smooth without incident, the move was good.

I would recommend Colonial Van Lines, but it really comes down to the luck of the draw in what actual moving company is contracted with. I would have been happier if the work hadn't been subcontracted out. To me, that is a wildcard and Colonial has a lot of opportunities to lose a lot of control there. I went with the big name because I thought that they're professionals and that they do this all the time. I also thought they have control over the whole things. Still, once they start sub-contracting out, it gets to be an issue for me. If somebody shows up to my friends' door and they're not wearing Colonial Van Lines shirt and a baseball cap, that would prevent me from recommending. Nevertheless, the overall set up went very well.

Colonial Van Lines response

At Colonial Van Lines, we pride ourselves on customer satisfaction. We are pleased to know that you had a great time moving with us. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

We moved from Florida to Georgia and got Colonial Van Lines' service. Although it was comparable with other companies', Colonial's price was better thus it worked better for us. Everything went smoothly with the coordinator and they called then gave me all the information I needed. I also was able to call if I needed to change things. Then come pick-up and delivery, everything went perfectly as well. It was fast and my items were in good condition.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Sandy! Thank you so much for your positive feedback. I am pleased to hear that everything went well with your move and the communication was great.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I found Colonial Van Lines on the internet and the person I talked to was very friendly and helpful. I got a good feeling. The expectations and the service were very accurate and very good. The crew on both ends were tremendous and very good. They did a great job. I had a shelf that was damaged but it wasn't that expensive anyway so that was fine. My experience with Colonial Van Lines went well and I'll be using them again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I had a good experience with Colonial Van Lines. They delivered on what they said they would deliver on, and everything went smoothly and according to plan. Everybody also followed through. I was a little skeptical because I have read the bad reviews but everybody coordinated and communicated with me and we were able to do it. I wasn't there when they moved the vehicle, but my wife was so it worked out.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 31, 2018

I did my research on this company before I decided to go with them. Although they have been in business for 53 years do not let that fool you!! I was guaranteed that I would have an 18 wheeler pick up my belongings. They showed up in 3 Penske trucks. That should of been a RED FLAG for me. I did ask why they did not bring a big truck and they stated that they we taking my thing to the warehouse where it will be kept until the move. After they weighed my things I had 27,000 pounds of furniture. Now wouldn't that tell you that a 18 wheeler would make more sense? So in short moving day came and I could not wait to get my things in my new house. I got a call at 11:00 am to let me know my things would not be making it and they were not sure when it would be arriving. I took a week off of work to move into my new house only to now be told I would not be getting my things.

I kept calling Colonial Van Lines to find out where my things were and I finally got an answer of my things would be there in a week! In a week? It had now been 45 days so now wait another week? WOW!! So my things were finally on the way then I get a call that the movers had been in a wreck and needed to bring my half of my things so they could go back and get the rest with another PENSKE TRUCK!!! WHAT? AND WANTED ME TO PAY THEM BEFORE I GOT MY THINGS!! WHAT??!! Well that did not happen and now they are here wanting to unload. I told them I wanted ALL of my things before they got payment. They started to unload one of the trucks and what a SHOCK to see my stuff literally thrown in the back of this truck. As they unloaded there was not a piece of my FINE FURNITURE that was not damaged. Not a picture or mirror not broken, family photo albums destroyed. Antique furniture destroyed. Every box damaged.

My furniture has mildew because it had been wet, my solid oak furniture ruined because my stuff was not kept in a climate controlled warehouse like they had stated. THEY THREW MY STUFF WHEREVER AND HOWEVER THEY WANTED TO... OMG!! My life vanished in front of me. I contacted the crooks over at Colonial Van lines and they state that they will not pay for anything because I did not pay the the additional 5K for the extended insurance. Now I entrusted this company and felt like I should not need this insurance because after all they have been in business for 53 years. WRONG!!! Do not use this company if you want your things back in the same condition that they picked it in. I have more pictures if anyone would like to see the damage.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Christy, we apologize for the issues you mentioned and would like to work with you in order to resolve them. I have notified our upper management department of your concerns and someone will be in contact with you soon.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Tracy and her team made my final moving attempt to VA a much better one after multiple months of other moving issues. All are professional, use constant communication, delivered early, reasonable pricing, and provided wonderful explanations. Thank you to Colonial and all of the staff for helping.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for trusting us with your move and we appreciate your outstanding feedback. We are pleased to hear we were able to save you due to prior inconveniences and hope that you will remember us for future reference.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Our move with Colonial was over a 3 month period. We worked with Drexell ** and Colette and had to change our date of move several times. During this time they were very helpful and understanding. Drexell went over items we had and approximate weights, so we wouldn't be surprised in the end. He was very helpful when the date came to move and the truck was there early on that day. All the time we worked on the move he was pleasant and stood behind what he said, and was a pleasure to work with.

The movers he set up for our move was SSM Movers. Tony and his crew were very friendly, and also very good handling our move. They were very hard workers and packed things neatly and secure. I couldn't ask for a better crew to handle our possessions. When they arrived they were there when they said they would be. If we were to move again, we would work with Drexell and also request Tony and crew with SSM Movers to handle the move. The only surprise we had was when we accepted our things it was heavier than we expected. Tony told me it was probably because the boxes were heavier than normal. The price was higher than we originally had quoted, but we had several more boxes than Colonial knew and it was our doing that the price was more and was acceptable to us. Very happy with the move from start to finish. Thank you.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Charles, thank you for trusting Colonial with your move. I am pleased to hear that our team members were very flexible, communicative and were able to help you through the weight issues. Please recommend us to your friends and family!

Original review: July 26, 2018

Currently, my goods are 16 days past the delivery window. The company refuses to provide substantive updates on the goods, so I don't even know if they've left the origin state yet. They've twice told me my goods will be delivered "tomorrow" so I took off work and waited around home for them to not show up. After both times, I was later told that the goods hadn't left origin yet.

Now, they are requiring payment of the final bill without a scheduled delivery date - AND this final bill includes a laughable "settlement" offer for the breach of contract and delay, but is more than the final bill provided to me after the goods were picked up and weighed. They originally offered a settlement of $30/day delayed. I countered with a very reasonable request for reimbursement of my lodging costs during the delay. The final bill included a settlement of only $9/day, less than a third of the original offer. They are holding my goods hostage. Worst move of my life. They are dishonest and incompetent at best.

Hi Cara!

We apologize for the issues with your move but also appreciate your patience as we work through them together. We understand that you have been in contact with our resolutions manager, Teheria and she is working diligently in order to resolve everything.

Original review: July 26, 2018

STAY AWAY!!! Working with Colonial Van Lines on our cross country move has literally been the worst moving experience we have ever had. We were quoted one price for packing and transport only to have them arrive and raise the quote by $6000.00. This transpired after we already paid a nonrefundable $3500 deposit. We understand things are bound to change, but the price increase was outrageous considering I stressed over and over again how heavy our furniture is and how many items were involved in packing.

Not only did the price increase... They never showed up on the scheduled day, with no notification. When they did show they were unprepared to pack or load. Showed up on the 3rd day with a truck half filled with someone else belongings allowing us to only load 50% of our items. They broke our light fixtures with moving furniture, and did NOT notify us. My daughter witnessed it, but brought it up after they left - assuming they would of let us know. They now have to reschedule another truck to come out and load the rest of our house. They did could not/would not provide weight tickets of the empty truck and the truck full of someone else things before the took off.

Our moving "liaison" who claimed would be with us every step of the way and hung up on me when I call, and refusing to return my voicemails. We have been screwed every step of the way. I assume Colonial Van Lines paid for their good reviews, because they are the worst company I've encountered, and being a military family with several moves under our belt that says something.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hello, we apologize for your experience and would like the opportunity to address this. We take great pride in our high level of service and this situation as described is unacceptable and not the standard we would like to be set. Our resolutions manager has been notified of your concerns and will be in touch with you soon. Her name is Teheria and her phone number is 866-913-3611

Original review: July 26, 2018

I was moving from one town to another that's an hour's drive away. I googled transport companies and found Colonial Van Lines. Chad, the moving coordinator, was absolutely awesome. He was very personable, accurate and detailed. He handled everything beautifully and was extremely good at his job. The interaction I had with the account manager was very good as well, although it wasn’t as much. During the time of the move, I was excellently prepared and very comfortable with everything. The moving crew did a very good job. They were very personable. I was very pleased with my experience with Colonial Van Lines and I would use them again.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Roma, we are thrilled that your moving experience was a great one as this is the standard we like to set. We aim to make the process as easy and stress free for you as possible. Thank you again and good luck in your new journey!

Resolution response: July 31, 2018

Colonial Van Lines has offered, via email correspondence, an amicable resolution to my complaint and negative review on the ConsumerAffairs website, by offering to reimburse me for lost wages and damages related to my move contracted with Colonial in June 2018. I am satisfied they understood my grievances and their response was timely and professional.

Joe **

Original review: July 25, 2018

Well, let me just say first: I am glad this is over with. It’s been about 6 weeks and I can be more objective in my observations. I moved from Arkansas to New Mexico, with the household goods leaving AR on 6/9, and arriving in NM on 6/11. My initial contact with Colonial was April 2018. I spoke with Paul **. We went over the household inventory and I received an estimate for move with packing services. I was initially scheduled on a move window of 6/4 a 6/8. I came to NM to start work 5/14, with the plan to fly back to AR on 6/2 to be there for the packing and loading, pick up my family and leave for NM as soon as the truck was loaded. I was contacted by my moving coordinator Shari ** on 5/31, in that conversation she explicitly stated “your window has been narrowed to 6/5 or 6/6, and I will call you, for certain by 6/2 to confirm."

Well, no call by 6/2 which was a Sat, no call by Mon 6/4, so on Tue 6/5 I called Shari and was told the move would happen on Thu 6/7. Thus, no follow through on an important commitment, important because I have a young family and it is nearly impossible to make the 1100 mile journey in less than 2 days, and I had to return to work at my new job to follow through on my commitments in a timely manner. So, the movers arrive 6/7 at around 1:30 PM (already lost 1.5 days of critical time). It wasn’t even Colonial Van Lines, but a sub-contracted moving company, which was a family operation - Dad and teenage boys. I had fenced property in AR, which is accessed by crossing a concrete drive over a steel culvert, which I was uncomfortable with as to not collapse the driveway, which led to the first discussion about “if we go more than 75'" there are additional charges.

I proposed coming into a side gate and backing up to the house as an alternative to having to walk more than 75’. The answer was “no, we cannot bring the truck on the grass”. It happened to be a rocky top of a little ridge, practically a gravel drive, that just happened to have a few blades of grass growing through the rocks. So I relented and decided to take the risk on the driveway - to the peril of the new owners I guess. This family was nice enough, polite and courteous enough. So I just said get on with it. The first walk through the mover estimated the boxes, guessed the time and said “we will be done this evening”. Maybe late, but this evening. Well, I have been through 3 full-pack moves and in the previous 2 the workers scattered into the perimeter rooms, neatly packed and catalogued items in boxes, then did more boxing, until most of the packing was done, then began to load the truck.

Well, the teenage boys would pack a little here, move a little there, occasionally take something to the truck, pack a little more in another room, smoke a cigarette here, listen to a little music there, take a break whenever... well, you get the picture. Thu night 6/8 about 11:00 arrives, and the status: well, really just getting started. The mover boss/dad, Daniel, explains to me they will need about 4 hours on Fri to finish packing and loading. Well enough, other than I am now 2 days behind schedule. I was also advised that I would have to pay this sub-contractor directly by certified check, or by credit card, it he would have to take a picture of my card. I have never heard of paying a sub directly for services you contract wiling another company, not allowing anyone to photograph the front and back of your credit card.

Shari calls me on Fri 6/8 and I tell her it is basically going bad and I have concerns about being 2 days behind on my schedule, having to pay a sub directly and the picture of the credit card. He answer in a nutshell was “that’s the moving business for you”, in which my response was “well, your industry is definitely living up to its reputation today, isn’t it."

I respond later Friday to a customer service email rating my service so far from Colonial, which I detailed my grievances, and receive a quick call from a Customer Service “supervisor”, that really turned out to be nothing but a talking head that spoke using platitudes and alternative facts, such as “well, our position is we arrived within the original window”, seemingly trying to ignore the fact that “we” did not arrive, but a sub-contractor arrived, and arrived no less than one day later than Shari ** promised on 5/31/2018, causing me to make my schedule with the assumption the packing and loading would be done on 6/7 and I could leave for NM on 6/8.

Of course Shari’s commitments weren’t seen as valid commitments by this supervisor, but more like a “misunderstanding” that “we apologize” for. The supervisor lady (name I can’t remember) asked “what can we do to make this right?”, I responded “compensate my for 2 days lost wages, because being 2 days behind on the move schedule, which is no fault of my own, I will probably have to be off work 2 additional days”. She replied,”give me a number”, which I gave her (I suppose she must have thought I made about $50 per day) and she said "well, I tell you right now I can’t get anywhere near that number but (and yes, here it is) I will see what I can do”. Of course, that was the last I heard from her until a couple of days after the delivery.

Well, here we are on Friday afternoon June 8, and the family operation is still packing a little, smoking a little, hangin’ out a little, and about 5 pm the boss advises me “I think we are going to run out of boxes”. Okay, well to keep the momentum going I asked him how many and headed out to Home Depot - 15 miles away - and got some boxes for the movers. As the evening progressed it got into questions such as “are you taking this?”, “are you taking that”? “What is this”, “what is that?”, sighing, moaning etc... well, you get the picture. Then I was advised we would be over the box count and the estimated weight. Well, okay, I had read and heard that frequently happens.

Of course, I am invited to the weigh station for the weighing, which is nice, but I have no clue, and neither did they at the time, where the nearest weigh station is. Besides, that happens during the day, and will have to be Sat because we are already into Friday night. Literally, the packing and loading of the truck came to an end at about 11:45 PM Friday June 8, 2 full days behind “the window” (of course Colonial’s alternative facts put this time and date within “the window”). Oh, wait, are we done, yeah!!! No, wait a minute. There is “paperwork that must be filled out and you will have to sign”. “How Long does that take?” “Oh, about an hour. Can we come back in the morning and finish it, and then you can follow us to the weigh station”. I am like, in my mind, “** NO”... but I politely said “no, we need to finish tonight and I need to leave for NM in the morning”.

Jump to 1 am Sat 6/9, “Sayonara, adios, adieu my friends”. Finally they are out of here. Think it ends there, well no. I had to take an unanticipated day off from my new job and charge it to my vacation, this after being give the week of 6/4 - 6/8 as compensated time in my relocation package. The movers pretty much showed up in NM on 6/11 and dumped the load into my home. There was literally underwear packed with olive oil, soy sauce and spices. Tools with socks, alcohol with bibles, candy with curios. It couldn’t have been more comical. My new house, which has Saltillo tile, strangely had many cracks that weren’t there when I purchased the home. All of that circus Magen, and I have to give these guys credit. There was one, maybe 2 broken items and they were minor.

They were a nice immigrant family from St. Louis. Dad’s name was Daniel and the company was American Movers of St Louis, Mo. I was still put out about paying a sub-contractor directly, almost $10,000 by credit card they insisted on having a picture of. I have been a business executive spending company money for over 20 years, and one thing I can assure you: you never pay a sub-contractor directly. The contractor pays the sub, you pay the contractor. You have a contract with the contractor. What this tells me is this moving company didn’t trust Colonial for their payment. I was troubled that Colonial didn’t even explain to be there would be a subcontractor. I was assured by Paul ** early on it would be a Colonial truck and crew. Perhaps I should be happy it was not?

Then I’m told by the sub-contractor “oh, you should have called me directly. I bet you paid Colonial a lot of money to arrange this. I would have only charged you what you just paid”. So, I paid Colonial in excess of $3,000 to make a few phone calls, float a few platitudes and alternative facts past me (“BS” is what we used to call it) and then send some greenhorns out of St Louis to my home, all the while not knowing I would be dealing with this little outfit until they arrived in front of my house (more than 75’ from the door). I tell you what, if you don’t have to move, don’t move. If you are young, singles and have to move, commandeer your buddies, buy some pizza and cold beer, and get on wiling it. If you are young and a family person, get U-Haul or Penske or whatever.

If you have to hire a moving company DON’T CALL COLONIAL VAN LINES. THEY HAVEN’T EARNED YOUR BUSINESS AND THEY WILL NOT EARN YOUR TRUST. Scoundrels would be the best way to describe them. Oh yeah, that supervisor lady called me back a day or two after the move was over, for an ”customer satisfaction follow up”. All I said was all I want is my lost wages, where are we on that”. She says “oh, this sounds familiar... what I can tell you is, even if I get such a thing approved the maximum it will be is $50, but more likely to be around $35”. I told her to “quit insulting my intelligence, I am glad this is over, keep your $35 grease money and GOODBYE!!!”

Updated on 7/31/2018: I submitted a review the week of July 23, 2018, with a 2 star rating, regarding my experience with Colonial Van Lines and my move from Arkansas to New Mexico. They immediately responded and resolved my grievances to my satisfaction. I wasn’t aware that I could upgrade my original rating at the time of resolution. They handled the issue in a timely and highly professional manner, recognizing the problem and acted immediately to resolve it. I am upgrading my experience to a 4 star rating.

Hi Joseph.

Thank you for providing your feedback about your move and we apologize sincerely for the experience that you had. I have notified our resolutions manager of your concerns and she will be in contact with you soon in order to address them.

Original review: July 25, 2018

We moved from Minnesota to Ohio. It was about a 650-mile move and Colonial Van Lines asked a lot of questions so that I could give them the information they needed. They seemed to have a fair price and the quote they gave was accurate. Also, the people we talked to were very friendly and helpful. The stuff had gotten here before they estimated it would, which was a good thing. The movers were very efficient and professional with the delivery. They wanted to make sure that they were getting stuff to the right place and in the right room. It was to my understanding from my husband that they were the same way on the other end as far as picking stuff up when they were loading things. They made sure things were carefully wrapped and cushioned, so nothing broke.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Lois! I'm so happy to hear that your move went well with no damages and even came earlier than expected :) Thank you so much for your positive feedback and please keep us in mind for the future. Good luck!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I was very satisfied with Colonial. We used them for a two-part move from one state to another. Both times the movers handled our belongings with care. Everything arrived on time and without a scratch. The customer service was great. The only complaint I had was regarding the second part of the move. One of the workers received numerous calls from a supervisor thus interrupting him from doing his job.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you Margie for your feedback! We are happy that the first part of your move went great, and apologize for the distractions on the second half. Thank you for using our services and be sure to recommend us!

Original review: July 24, 2018

My daughter was moving from Michigan to New York for a new job. Colonial Van Lines gave us a specific date when they would deliver the goods, so we got their transport service. They were able to meet our time frame. But the only thing was that the day before they were to deliver the things, they tried to change the delivery date and I didn’t like that. So, I had to fight for them to deliver on the original date and they were able to do that. The interaction I had with the moving coordinator was very good. It was simple and easy, and the expectation set was very accurate. Likewise, the moving crew was very good. As a whole, we had a good experience with Colonial Van Lines and I’d recommend them. With their help, we were well-prepared throughout the move.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hello Edward, thank you for your feedback and we are happy to hear that your move went great. We apologize for the date mixup and also happy that everything worked out.

Original review: July 23, 2018

Great experience. Jose & Wally were outstanding movers who were meticulous with my belongings. Nothing I've unpacked has been damaged and they were hard workers and nice guys too. They called and were able to pick up my home a day early and I worked with them on the delivery date which was 2 days later than expected. Still, overall it was a pleasure doing business with them.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you Willis for your positive feedback. We are happy your delivery went well and the small issues were worked out. Please recommend us to your family and friends!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Colonial Van Lines gave me the cheapest quote. My moving coordinator was very good, helpful and friendly. And the pickup and delivery crew came a day early but they asked if they could come early. Everything was fine. And I’d recommend Colonial.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi LaDonna! I am thrilled we were able to make the entire moving experience for you seamless from beginning to end! Thank you again for trusting us with your move and enjoy your new home!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 21, 2018

I hired Colonial Van Lines to move my family’s household goods and my husband’s car from Ohio To California. I have never regretted anything so much in my life. The salesman, Joseph, was very on top of things until I gave him my credit card number. Then he disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again. A second sales person, Paul, contacted me prior to pickup to confirm my inventory and decided that we needed to increase the estimated weight, which would require a second deposit. Once I paid that, he too disappeared. I was then given an account manager, Dona.

My first interaction with her involved her calling me on a Saturday night while I was out to dinner with family/saying farewell. She was calling to tell me that my husband’s car (which was being picked up the next day), would be delivered to CA on Tuesday and we needed to be there to meet it. We were leaving OH on Tuesday and driving to CA (therefore impossible). She also told me it was cash on delivery. I had to rush around and arrange to have someone (our real estate agent) meet the car, and I had to pay a finance charge in order to use a credit card. I was told by Colonial I would be reimbursed for this and have yet to see the money (our belongings were picked up June 17 and did not arrive until July 5. (I have a feeling I will never see that money.)

Side note on the car- the first time my husband tried to drive it after we moved he discovered the air conditioning was busted. We moved to the CA desert in the middle of the summer. I asked Colonial multiple times for a claim form. I have yet to receive one. Also, the guy was hours late picking up the car (no one called to tell me. I had to call dispatch multiple times. I will never get back the hundreds of hours I sat on hold throughout this move). He then told me he would deliver at 5pm. The 7pm. He showed up at 10:30pm. My real estate agent had to meet this guy in the middle of the night because he couldn’t tell time and arrive at a reasonable hour.

The actual move itself was so incredibly awful there may not be enough characters left in this review to include all of the horrible details. When I booked Colonial I asked if they had their own trucks. They said yes. They said summer is busy and there was a possibility of a truck not being available and they would need to enlist their network of agents. I should have run away then. My move was outsourced to an absolutely horrendous company called Best Price Moving and Storage in Chicago.

On June 17 two men showed up at my (extremely small) house to pick up our stuff. We literally have almost no furniture. The vast majority of our belongings were in boxes. First they had the wrong paperwork (it was the first, smaller estimate, not the updated one I paid extra money for). They told me they had to call their supervisor because they hadn’t allocated that much space in their truck for our stuff. Their truck was empty, thank goodness, so they had to just rearrange other pickups. Fine, whatever. Not my problem. These guys took so long (nearly 8 hours) to load a truck that my husband and I bought them food and ended up helping them because we wanted the whole thing to be finished already. Also, it was a Sunday, and it turns out Colonial doesn’t believe in working on Sundays. No one was there to help me when they showed up with the wrong paperwork. No one called me back or emailed me on Monday morning when they opened.

Fast forward- our stuff is supposed to arrive between 6/24 and 7/1. In fact, they changed our pickup date when they found out we weren’t leaving Ohio until the 19th (original delivery window was 6/20-6/30). I stressed to them from the start that we would begin our new jobs 7/2 and HAD to have our stuff by 7/1. No one could have prepared me for what happened.

After hours of being on hold, crying, begging, no one being able to tell me how much the final weight was, no one knowing where my stuff was or when it would come, being screamed at and called a liar by Mary (the dispatch person at Best Price Moving and Storage), filing a complaint online and then being contacted by one of the owners at Colonial (who screamed at me and threatened to give me a refund, drop our account, and leave our stuff in a warehouse in Chicago where BP Moving had left it and said they weren’t scheduling any trucks to CA), being told 50 different stories a day by the mostly incompetent employees of Colonial (the only person who truly helped us was Leon. No one else knows anything and will just put you on hold or promise you a call back, which you will never receive), etc.

I could go on and on. I have never been treated like that by a company ever. And, to top it off, the delivery window means nothing. Somewhere in that BS contract you sign it will say that the window means nothing. Stupidly I believed they would honor their word and deliver it on time. I couldn’t have been more wrong. In fact, when the truck finally did come (oh and tons of my stuff was broken and ruined), the driver told us that the person they delivered before us had been waiting two months for their stuff.

I heard so many excuses from Colonial- this is how it is in their industry (Nope. Not true. This is how it is when you hire an unethical company), new regulations passed in June were to blame (hmmm, didn’t seem to affect anyone else I knew who moved at the same time. Oh, and if new regulations are going to make it impossible to get my stuff on time then tell me so I can hire someone else), it’s their busiest time of year yet they had NO trucks going to CA?! All lies and excuses and BS. Day after day after day.

When the truck finally arrived they made us pay more than we owed, even though our weight was only 200 lbs above the ORIGINAL estimated weight. Luckily I knew in advance that they were going to try this since the driver gave me the wrong price over the phone AND told me he couldn’t take credit cards (said those had to be processed with the office. All of this a direct contradiction to what Colonial had told me when I booked my move).

After spending thousands on our move, including car repairs, buying things to help us survive while our entire home sat in a warehouse in Chicago, and replacing broken stuff, Colonial only reimbursed us just over $800. They owe use another $90 (they only pay $30/day for each day they are outside the delivery window, and even though my stuff was due by 7/1 and arrived on 7/5, they apparently thought that added up to $90). I refuse to sign the paperwork for that reimbursement as it leaves me unable to go after them for anything else, and they still owe me for the penalty charge for using a CC to pay for the car, car repairs, all the stuff I had to buy while my stuff was sitting in Chicago, as well as countless broken and damaged items.

They did offer to rent me furniture when mine didn’t come. I told them that I didn’t want rented furniture. I wanted my stuff back and I wanted reimbursed for the stuff I had to buy to survive. It was a nightmare, an absolute nightmare. The only person at Colonial who actually helped me was Leon. He finally got me my stuff, some money refunded, and did not have a “the customer is always wrong” attitude like everyone else in that company. Best Price Moving and storage just needs to go out of business. They are just horrendous. Al, the owner, could use some customer service lessons as well. When I asked him if he treats all of his customers the way he was treating me he threatened to leave our things in Chicago and dump us as customers, and we could find a way to get them back ourselves.

Do not, please DO NOT use this company and never let BP Moving and Storage take your belongings. I hired them because of their Consumer Affairs rating, which is why I am back here reviewing them. If you have hired them please cancel before it’s too late. They are absolutely terrible, nonresponsive, they don’t care about you or your belongings, and it WILL be the biggest headache of your life. I can’t tell you how many hours I wasted sitting on the phone trying to get help from these two terrible companies. I have never cried so much thinking everything we owned was gone forever. Please don’t put yourself through this. There are far better companies out there.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Shannon, we apologize for the experience you had as this is not the standard we like to bet nor how we like to be viewed. I have notified our resolutions manager, Teheria of your concerns and she will be in contact with you Monday when we reopen for business in order to assist you. Thank you for your patience and we hope that we are able to work everything out.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 18, 2018

I contacted Colonial Van Lines because of their high customer satisfaction. I felt they could handle our move across the country from Missouri to Florida. I was informed by Colonial and Royal (their contractor) I would be packed on Friday 6/22 and loaded on their semi 6/23. None of which happened. Royal Logistics packed all of our belongings in Home Depot boxes with no tracking labels for inventory. Midway through the first day of packing I was presented with an enormous estimation which I did not request nor agree with. Royal and Colonial both stated it is only an estimate we will get weights of truck. 2 guys packed 6/23-6/24. I was told Royal would be back with helpers to get loaded up on 6/25 and it would only take a few hours. Called Mikal at Colonial. Mover still not at the house to load at 12:41, I was informed they were working to get a truck.

One Budget truck showed up at 2:52 pm on 6/25, they had to stop and get blankets and weigh the first truck is why they got delayed. I called Mikal back at 6:09 and he stated he would call back with answer on why there was no semi and why they were running behind. No call back from Colonial. I asked the driver to speak with his boss-received a bunch of excuses and assurance they would get it all loaded up and get more trucks. Natalia at Royal stated the mover would be back on 6/26 by 10am with another truck to load the rest of the house. I asked the driver to be sure there was a lock on the load on 6/25 while they had it at the hotel. Assured there would be one-truck arrived on 6/26 with no lock. Load unsecured night of 6/25. 10am 6/26 mover not at the house as promised.

I called Colonial and Mikal will not answer-ask to speak to supervisor, Colonial tells me they will call in 30 minutes, Mikal called back 45 minutes later not a supervisor. I spoke to the driver at 9am and he stated they were again working to get a truck, I asked that they be sure to get extra blankets and wrap for all of the furniture and pictures to be loaded for the day. Movers arrive at 12:03. 1:05 pm the movers are out of shrink wrap. Driver stated they needed to get more-since it was raining now he couldn’t go out in the rain. I called Natalia with Royal Logistics and she was upset they didn’t show up with everything they needed (as were we, since I just asked him before they arrived). I called Colonial frustrated they were running out of space on the second truck since they only got a 16 foot truck.

I spoke with Sanad at Royal to express my concerns and sent pictures. Third truck arrived at 4:25pm (no weight ticket). Finished packing 3rd truck at 9:58 pm only because we physically had to help bring stuff to the truck. My family had to drive their 3rd truck for them and go purchase locks to be sure everything was secure. No lock on truck / inventory not accurate / carried all backyard furniture around to the truck / no “picture or TV boxes” as in estimate most wrapped in blanket - not all pictures protected with blankets or boxed. Move out was 4 days late related to insufficient equipment and personnel / the movers had to use my dolly and screwdriver to disassemble items-bed frames-did not bring own tools. That completes phase one of lack of commintment to deadlines and fulfillment of services.

Phase 2 delivery. I was promised by Mikal at Colonial and Natalia and Sanad with Royal Logistics that delivery would go much smoother and they would be on time and deliver to Florida on 7/14. Attempted to call Mikal 7/9. Left message that morning - no return call. Spoke with another agent that got Mikal on the phone and confirmed delivery for 7/14 between 9am-12. I wanted to be prepared to drive my family for 2 days across the country. I heard nothing the rest of the week from either party. 7/13 I called to be sure everything was still on track for 7/14 delivery. I was then informed by Mikal the delivery is now delayed until 7/19 or 20th (no one called to update me on this delay). I called Mikal at Colonial for update on 7/16, per the conversation the truck was in Tennessee on 7/13-per Mikal we would be delivered in the window by the 20th of July.

7/17 I called for an update on where the truck was, Tyrone from Colonial stated that he would have a manager call me since he was not getting any commitment from Royal Logistics. 7/17 Mikal called back to state Royal now can’t commit to be here before the 20th after they originally agreed to arrive on 7/14. To date I have incurred significant costs to provide for my family and work to keep them comfortable while we have no belongings. We have had to purchase personal items, clothing, hotel stay, pans to make food, and also miss countless hours of work related to deliverables not being received. We need help... We still do not have a date on when our items will arrive to our home and we need a resolution. We have already pre-planned personal and work trips as our belongings were supposed to arrive on 7/14.

Colonial Van Lines response

Original review: July 16, 2018

I am waiting, at this moment, to hear from CVL regarding my pickup. I was given an “estimated pickup” of July 15 or 16, after requesting a pick up on July 15. I was “never” told I had to pay extra to get a “confirmed” delivery date. I knew if the date were July 16, I would still meet other deadlines I had. My initial contact with CVL was with Annie and her great service is why I chose CVL after reading many of the negative reviews. And sure enough I too paid 30% of my final costs upfront.

I’m writing this review before my disaster strikes because today is July 16 and I’ve not heard from anyone at CVL. I called Friday after talking for the first time with my supposed “move manager” to communicate items I told them about were not on the list. (She’d suggested I check each item carefully so I did.) I waited on hold for ten minutes and no one ever picked up my call. I left two messages after that call. I’m so surprised I’ve not heard from anyone because I’ve had several changes to my move as late as a week ago, and they had been so supportive and responsive.

I am so concerned my experience will be like all the other negative reviews I’ve read. I decided not to wait until after the “scheduled” pickup to communicate my concerns. I should have heard from someone by now. It seems their service review teams dies their job because they respond immediately to customer concerns. I pray that by posting here before I have any more concerns will get me a response now because I cannot wait for days to have my furniture picked up.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I liked the speed of how Colonial Van Lines answered my requests. Also, they gave a very reasonable estimate of the moving costs. So, I decided to work with them. Their moving coordinators were professional and very accurate. They kept in touch with me throughout the process. I wasn't at my house tat the time of the move as I was on a business trip to Florida. The coordinators called when the movers were picking things up and told me how everything was going. They called again as the movers were delivering things and asked how everything was going. I felt I was very well prepared throughout the process. Going with Colonial was a very good choice. I was very happy with the move and with them letting me know that my move was important to them.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Michael! I'm happy to hear we were able to meet your expectations and also maintain a clear line of communication with you. Here at Colonial, we strive for excellence and professionalism as we understand how important and stressful every detail of moving can be. Thank you again & good luck!

Original review: July 15, 2018

I contacted Colonial Van Lines for my move from NJ to FL. Mr. Nicholas ** was very helpful which influenced my decision to use and have faith in them. I gave an initial list and they gave an estimated weight. Their weight was EXTREMELY conservative, I understood and didn’t object to Nicholas. He did not see my stuff so he wouldn’t know, but he assured me that I will get a weight of the truck when it left my house. My shipment was picked up on July 2, today is July 12 and I am still awaiting total weight, cost and estimated date of delivery.

Nicolas assured me I will hear from him, to understand what number I will be on the route. I have called Nicolas NUMEROUS times and have left NUMEROUS messages. I have also communicated with Mena ** and yet to receive information. The window I got for delivery was 7/7 to 7/14, which is 2 days for the window and I am yet to receive the weight and cost. I sent a review 2 days ago. I received a generic response that someone will contact me. I am yet to receive a call. I called and still have not gotten a response from anyone.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Leslie. We are aware of the issues that took place during your move and are still working to resolve it for you. Thank you for your patience and feel free to reach out to me directly if you feel as if you are not getting the answers you need in enough time. We strive excellence and professionalism as we understand how important and stressful every detail of moving can be and would hate for you to feel as if you are not getting the attention you deserve. My number is 866-913-3611.

Original review: July 13, 2018

The coordinator was very knowledgeable and very helpful. It went very smoothly, but the estimate was way off. But I was very happy with Colonial Van Lines and they did a good job. It was the first time I moved and they didn't break anything.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for taking time to share your wonderful feedback with our online customers. We sincerely appreciate your outstanding review and we are pleased to see that we were able to exceed your service expectations.

Colonial Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

• FMCSA authorized movers: The company only hires FMCSA movers to move customers' belongings, so they are sure to pick a qualified and credentialed company to handle customers' items.

• Fast estimates: Colonial Van Lines can provide customers with quotes for their move just minutes after speaking on the phone for the first time.

• Educational information: Colonial Van Lines provides easy-to-access educational information regarding rights, responsibilities, insurance and more via their website, making it an approachable resource for customers who are moving.

• Wide network: Colonial Van Lines works throughout the entire United States, so they can find a moving provider no matter where a customer lives or where they are moving.

• Discounted moving supplies: The company offers customers discounted packages of moving supplies, including boxes, packing material and tape, to make their move more affordable and convenient.

• Best for: Corporations, households, individuals and busy professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Colonial Van Lines questions and answers

What problem is Colonial Van Lines trying to solve?
Colonial Van Lines is always striving to improve the way we conduct business, in particular the level of service and professionalism we provide to our customers.
What sets Colonial Van Lines apart from the competition?
We have been operating in the Moving and Storage industry for 15 years and we are constantly evolving new technology to improve the way moving is conducted. We offer a 1 to 2 ratio, which means there is one Support Staff for every two sales personnel.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We are a relocation company that specializes in the transport of automobiles and household goods. What sets us apart from the competition is that we have been in business for 15 years. The prices that we offer are competitive as a result of our business plan and volume.
How does Colonial Van Lines measure success?
We measure success based on the return on investment, retention, repeat customers and number of positive reviews.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the moving industry?
The most common misconception within the moving industry is that all movers are bad, which is why there are such large numbers of companies going the self-service route.
How is your company going to evolve in the next 5 years?
As a company we are looking to evolve within the next year with some technology developments.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Colonial Van Lines?
Consumers should know that we truly try to do the right thing for all our customers. We are not Scammers and our employees are good people, there is no need to bash them on the internet.
How has Colonial Van Lines grown or evolved?
We have grown considerably over time. A few years ago we were focused primarily on volume, but realized that was not our best approach. We have done a good job on settling into our equilibrium point.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information

2000
8795 W. McNab Road
Tamarac
FL
800-338-9092
colonialvanlines.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business