3.96/5

Margate, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Colonial Van Lines provides long-distance moving services across the continental U.S. Movers specialize in quick, efficient corporate and residential relocations. They offer competitive pricing and require a deposit.

PROS

• Easy booking process
  • Nationwide services
  • Free, instant quotes

CONS

• Deposit required

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

03/24/2019

...They did a really good job in handling my items and I was impressed. Overall, it was an excellent experience with Colonial. They made a tense moment for me very comfortable. I already recommended them to family and friends.

04/04/2019

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Everyone I worked with was helpful and did what they said they would do. Dixie Movers were the subcontractors that did the move. They were professional and courteous. All my belongings were handled with care... Highly recommend. Would definitely use again.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, they have the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
  • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
  • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
  • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?

You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with them to be sure you’re getting the best price. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straight-forward and simple:

1. Request cross-country moving services by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
  2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
  3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobiles app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
  4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust some aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
What is the Colonial Van Lines app?
Colonial Van Lines’ free in-home moving services app makes it easy to get accurate moving cost estimates. You simply upload videos and pictures of your household goods through your phone, and then a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides your personalized moving consultation. You can also order packing materials and access educational resources about moving through the app.
Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues. It’s more difficult to move during certain times of the year in some locations, so this can increase your overall moving price too.
Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. However, Colonial Van Lines will not be liable for items that you pack yourself. If you choose to pack valuable items yourself, you might consider extra insurance for those belongings.
Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
Some Colonial Van Lines complaints reflect discrepancies between price estimates and total charges. All moving brokers and carriers pricing can fluctuate from the original quote or estimate to final delivery for a variety of reasons:
  • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could also account for a discrepancy.
  • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and therefore the cost of moving.
  • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for their labor.
  • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to upcharge when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet. If this charge is factored into the in-house estimate and the movers later determine that they can shorten this distance, your overall price will decrease.

Do we recommend Colonial Van Lines?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, they can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. Most Colonial Van Lines moving reviews are positive. Over 70 percent of verified customers within the last year said they were happy or satisfied with their experience or would recommend Colonial Van Lines to a friend.

1077 Colonial Van Lines Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 15, 2019

I was in Florida trying to get moved from Alabama. I wanted to just make one trip and not have to go up and meet someone that didn’t even give me an estimate. I went with Colonial Van Lines and my experience with them was excellent from start to finish. Their rep, Anthony, walked me through the process and made something that I was dreading easy. He was really responsive to where he didn’t get agitated with me when I had some anxiety going on. He let me know that they were very common concerns. He also answered every question I had or emails and followed up the email.

We were able to handle everything on the phone and he really made me comfortable because I was a little leery doing it over the phone. I called him at least four times and he gave me answers, so I was able to go ahead and lock in the moving date, set my flight, and make things work for me. I was also able, just by phone, to plan my flight there as well as the packing, pickup and delivery, and everything was right on schedule. Then, I was able to meet the movers there.

Everyone was telling me that I needed to go there and they would give me a quote. But that wasn’t gonna work for me at the time, so I had a company meet me there. But Anthony was able to, over the phone and by getting a list, give me pretty much the same quote within $100 or $200. And the quote was good. It came in under what they initially told me and Anthony told me to probably expect that. I was ready based on the information Anthony gave me in what I needed to do, so everything was there. I felt really great about their ability to do the quote over the phone and for it be as accurate as it was. It helped me with scheduling and it saved me flight money as well as time off of work.

When the movers came in, they introduced themselves and in a matter of hours, they had me packed and ready. The guys were great and they took very good care of packing my dishes and furniture. I watched them pretty much the entire time, in and out, and I didn’t have any issues with them. They also didn’t track dirt or mud in. I was a little concerned with that.

All in all, my experience was awesome. I hope I don’t have to do it again, but I would refer Colonial Van Lines to someone if they were moving. And people were surprised as they said that my furniture was moved twice and it still looks brand new. I expected something to possibly break but not one single item was broken. As I unpacked my boxes, everything was in place. I also had some scratches on there prior but one of the movers brought out his marker and used it on them. Then, he handed it to me and told me to keep it in case I scratch something. And I did make a couple of scratches trying fix some stuff up.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was moving a car and items from my home from Colorado to Oregon. Donna, the coordinator that I was on the phone contact with, was great. She was in touch and always communicating. She would call me and let me know if there were any updates which was good. Her quote was pretty much the same too. The actual move was great. The moving crew was a bit rough with my stuff though and not everything was covered. My couch was full of debris, dust and leaves because it was not clearly covered. My little dining table was scratched on the corner. But the guy was nice and he came at 7:30 PM because they wanted to do an early pickup. So after work, I spent the time from 7:30 to 9:45 helping him move things because he was just by himself, which was kinda strange. It was the first time I used a moving company, and I expected a team of two or three to come and bang this out quick, but that wasn’t the case. So I felt bad for the guy.

They also wanted to move the delivery window being that they had moved the pickup date. It was stressful because I told them specifically that when they pick up the stuff, I wouldn't be in Oregon yet because I would be in Colorado. I was flying the next two days to Oregon to find an apartment. But they wanted to show up a day before, which gave me 24 hours to find a place, which was impossible. They showed up literally on the first day of the window, so I had 48 hours to find an apartment. I asked Donna if we could figure something out, like move the date, but they were having none of it and they said they would be there at 10:00 AM on Thursday. So I flew into Oregon on Tuesday, and I had to sign the lease on Wednesday night.

I feel like Colonial contracts people out and they just organize the move, but they’re not the people that actually do the move. I’m pretty sure that in my case, they set everything up and then they passed it on to a local Colorado company that they hired that gets the move done. I went through Colonial to move my stuff, and these guys from Morales Movers showed up at my door. I was expecting a Colonial Van Line van or truck to come, but then this random budget truck came with this random guy in there. The guy barely spoke English. Maybe Colonial could contract out to a better company or proof the people they hire.

I wish the moving guy was a bit more equipped to be able to better care of my furniture because ultimately, you’re asked to buy insurance or not buy insurance. Obviously, the chances that something is gonna happen to your stuff is minimal, in a sense, so you don’t buy insurance. It’s like 60 cents per pound or per article, and it's kinda weird. So, if I lose a big table, or I get a scratch up on my table, even if it’s a 100-pound table, I'll get $6. It’s just like you don’t wanna buy the insurance. It's not really worth it. Still, overall, as far as the experience from Colonial per se and the organization of things, I’ll use their service again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Colonial has reached out to us because of our concerns and lack of satisfaction. We would like to thank Donna ** for providing a satisfactory resolution to our concerns. We do give 5 stars to the resolution we received. The initial contacts and contract was quite satisfactory, but as the moving process started they altered all arrangements and required thousands more dollars. We moved from PA to WA. Our packing and preparations took months and we updated our list of belonging on the contract as we packed items. We felt comfortable with this mover up until two weeks before our move, when they changed our moving manager two times and forced us to change our pickup date. Since we had sold our house and had a firm closing date, any change in the pickup date was a major issue.

However, we did accommodate their request. They said they would compensate us for this change, which cost us anxiety and $200, but after the move was finally over they merely offered us $50 for this change. On the day they showed up to pick up our belongings they required us to sign a totally new and different contract. It didn’t matter that we had accurately described and detailed all the items that were to be moved. We had to sign this new contract, adding thousands more in moving costs, or they would walk out the door the day before our house closing date. We were forced to accept this new contract. We were forced to agree that the “binding estimate” in the original contract was superseded by this new contract. Overall it cost us $6400 more than our original contract. We felt that this last minute change was their plan all along, in order to squeeze more money out of us.

Our belongings were to be delivered between the 11th and 17th of November. Each day we had to arrange for someone to be available to accept that delivery. But from Nov. 9 through the 15th we were only able to reach a live person at the office twice, and both times they could give us no information on delivery. We left numerous voicemails and emails, but no one would call us back. No one would give us any information. Finally on Nov. 17th one person, the assistant to our move manager, called to say that they would have information on Nov. 19. On that date, two days after all of our belongings were to be delivered; we were told that the delivery would take place the next day. They offered us, after much discussion, a mere $150 for this three day delay.

At one point, weeks earlier, we had asked about the cost of delaying our delivery and were told that a three day delay would cost us $3,304. But because THEY delayed delivery three days they merely offered us $150. The overall move cost more than $20,000 so this $150 is less than 1%, not what we consider a fair offer. Overall we feel this company is not trustworthy. We feel that they did not treat us well. They were not responsive to our many phone calls, and they did not provide the service they had contracted to provide.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I had done my homework to know that Colonial Van Lines was number one according to Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports. And that was what I wanted. I wanted number one because I went through a divorce and I’m single. I was working with a limited amount of money and every dollar counted. I wanted someone who was gonna take care of me. The first person I talked to at Colonial Van Lines was spectacular. But then there were other people who contacted me saying they were my manager. I ended with someone named Tyrone.

I moved from a single bedroom and according to the list that I gave, their expectation was that I would probably have 24 boxes. I had a loan of $5,000 to do this. I was told it was gonna be $2,800 and I knew it would go up but the actual was $5,200, which was more than I had anticipated. I didn't mind that the price went up though. I had a lot of books and heavy, glass-framed artwork. But part of the reason that the price went up was because the time frame of when I was supposed to have the pickup was not met.

The time frame was a two-day thing. Then out of respect to me, Tyrone added a third day, which was before the two days. But he was very clear. He said that he was just trying for me but he didn't expect that it was gonna happen. But what happened was that the people who were scheduled to come bailed the day before. That wasn't Colonial's fault. But it threw my schedule off for two days which meant that my sister could not come with me. She was gonna drive her own car so there was a whole car load of things that would have not been on the truck.

Also, I had scheduled either the 17th or the 18th to have the pickup because the 19th was my last day at the apartment. But what happened was that I couldn’t leave until after that. So I had to pay more money to the apartment people. I had these extra expenses and when I got the phone call to tell me that the pickup had to be delayed, it was from a woman that I hadn’t talked to at all. She was vivacious, vibrant and cheery. She immediately started saying there would be compensations. She didn’t even flinch and at that moment, I wasn’t even thinking about the expense. But I respected and appreciated that. I thought it was why Colonial was number one. They knew how to handle people. But I never heard from her again.

I couldn’t get Tyrone to get back and talk with her either because by the time Tyrone was aware of what was going on, I was saying there was going to be compensation but he said no because the new peole that they had gotten haven't come late. I told him that Colonial Van Lines is number one for a reason. They had taken care of these problems before. This was not new. This has happened before and there’s a plan. It was not my fault and it was not their fault. But it would matter from the point of view of their reputation of being number one that they know how to handle the situation.

I told him there was someone at their office who was gonna know how to handle this and that he needed to talk to somebody. When he called back and said there was no compensation, I told him to check again. Then he asked me how much I wanted. But at that point, I wasn't aware how expensive it was going to be. I told him something in the vicinity of $325. It was again, push, push, push. He said we would deal with it later but I said I wanted to talk to someone right then. In the end, he offered about $125 and I could have had more had I sent him the bill from the apartment. But here's the thing. I didn’t get anything. It was not like, “We’ll give you a little bit now and we’ll give you a little bit more later.” No. There was no money that came to me. Also, one thing that wasn’t clear was that they would not send a Colonial van.

It’s been a tough go but this does happen. And yet, there was not a contingency plan for when that happens. There needs to be. I would love a gift from Colonial Van Lines. They could have given me $300 and although it isn’t gonna able to cover the difference between $2800 to $5200, they would have had a stronger sense of commitment to the customer. I would have been willing to tell that story. Instead, I’ve got a different story to tell.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My friend and I were both moving out to Athens, Georgia at the same time. She had worked with Colonial Van Lines and she said that everybody seemed to be very professional there, so I chose them. Their moving coordinator was very responsive, professional, and polite. Even when I pushed back and it was not my area of expertise, she explained situations through so that I understood that she really knew what she was talking about and that I should follow her advice.

Also, there was a manager named Natalie who assisted me in the beginning. She took my order and helped me put together an estimate of everything. When it was getting to the time of the move, that was handed over to somebody else. However, my movers came on the 4th of July and Colonial's offices were closed. I ended up having some worries and problems. One point of dissatisfaction was I was not made aware, or I didn't see a line in all the paperwork that I signed that said, that the work could be subcontracted out. I was taken aback that the movers that came weren't actually with Colonial Van Lines, so it was a little discouraging to me because I thought that there was a good opportunity for Colonial to lose control of the situation if they are subcontracting out the work.

The guy that came was very nice and very professional, but he wanted cash up front and he said that it was to pay his movers. I was taken aback again because it was the 4th of July and the banks were closed. I didn't know if I was getting scammed or if that was okay. Nobody had told me that that might happen. I've spoken to him two times before and he never told me that he would like to have some cash in advance to pay for his moving crew. He wanted $400, so I ran around to three different ATMs to try to get enough. A fraud alert was triggered on my debit card because of all of those activities and that pissed me off.

I also had a point of confusion because I asked the driver how the weight was calculated. He said that before he came here, the van was empty and he had it weighed, but before they even started putting things in the truck, I looked inside the van and it was already a third full with some of the other stuff. I wondered why he told me that the van was empty. I was worried that I might be getting doubled ditched or that he was charging from the weight of the other person's move as well. He showed me the sheet that showed the weight, but I couldn't figure out how the time was calculated either when the weighing was done. That was a little worrisome because the move was expensive.

But all in all, he did a very good job. Everything was very well wrapped, although there was only one thing broken. It was a bird bath that they had put on the floor without any padding and it broke in half. It was not a big deal with the worth of my time to file a claim and given that I got reimbursed by the pound, I probably would have gotten $5 back at the most. Given everything else, smooth without incident, the move was good.

I would recommend Colonial Van Lines, but it really comes down to the luck of the draw in what actual moving company is contracted with. I would have been happier if the work hadn't been subcontracted out. To me, that is a wildcard and Colonial has a lot of opportunities to lose a lot of control there. I went with the big name because I thought that they're professionals and that they do this all the time. I also thought they have control over the whole things. Still, once they start sub-contracting out, it gets to be an issue for me. If somebody shows up to my friends' door and they're not wearing Colonial Van Lines shirt and a baseball cap, that would prevent me from recommending. Nevertheless, the overall set up went very well.

Colonial Van Lines response

At Colonial Van Lines, we pride ourselves on customer satisfaction. We are pleased to know that you had a great time moving with us. Thank you for sharing your experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: June 18, 2019

I scheduled a move with Colonial in May. May 17 my items were picked up in New Orleans, LA. I was given an estimated arrival of my items in California from May 23-June 1. Today is June 18 and they still have not delivered my items or provided me with a delivery date.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I would STRONGLY encourage everyone to think twice before they use Colonial Van Lines. They do a good job selling you upfront and talk a good game but in my case did not deliver in any aspect. Without telling me they subcontracted to Boost Express who was two days late after the last day of the four day pickup window, which caused me to miss a sports event so I got stuck with $300 in tickets that I could not sell at the last minute. I was told I would get a 48 hour notice on pickup which did not happen. The date kept changing, then on the pickup day the time kept changing, only to get a call at 8 pm on a Saturday night from the driver that they were on their way!

On the delivery end they were a full week late after the last day of the delivery window. This caused us an extra 7 night hotel expense at $900 total as well as having to change work schedules at the last minute due to the uncertainty of the delivery date. On delivery they attempted to collect an extra $1,900 due to extra weight! I still have not seen a detailed breakdown of the extra charge. No extra items were added to the inventory list and exact dimensions were given to the sales rep at the time of the quote. Sounds to me that they intentionally quoted low to get the business only to jack the price up 45%! I asked several times for one of the owners (it’s a family owned business) or someone in senior management to call me, never received a call. Finally, five days after delivery was made a “supervisor” called. Please everyone save yourself a ton of hassle, stress and extra expense and do not use this company, you will regret your decision.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I don't recommend using Colonial. They communicate well, but the problem is - they don't honor commitments. I don't need nice people telling me they aren't going to meet their deadlines and contractual commitments. If you are moving across country, you should use PODS. It is a much more reliable service. I've used both, and PODS is recommended over a service like Colonial. Hire local workers to load and unload the POD on both sides. The delivery window is much more reasonable with PODS...AND they honor it. They show up early. Colonial does not care about your timeline and the fact that your family is displaced. They care about themselves and their money. The people are nice enough - the product and service is TERRIBLE.

Original review: June 8, 2019

Hired Colonial to move us on 6/7. Got contract and it said 6/7 plus THEY added 6/8. On AM of 6/7 they called saying everything was ok for AM pickup 6/8. Got call late PM 6/7 saying they had other biz & we got pushed to 6/9, stranding us. As well, they quoted a shuttle charge to bring small truck to do pick up that would then transfer goods to larger truck for 275 mile trip to destination. The problem is, their agent doesn't have a larger truck to which to transfer goods, so the smaller truck was the truck making the 275 mile trip, requiring no transfer. We got charged anyway. We would never recommend these people to anyone. They're the worst.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I was looking for quotes for my upcoming move and came across Colonial Van lines. Ricardo reached out to me. He was good to explain the process well. But I was not ready to move yet due to pending paperwork at my job. He would follow up every few weeks like I requested. Every time I had a delay for my move, he would tell me over and over again, almost rudely that my price would increase as I got closer to the move date. I told him I understood but I was not ready due to various things I was waiting on.

Anyway, one day he was extremely rude to me saying I needed to book my move ASAP. As a consumer - I understand that the rate I receive may be higher closer to the move. BUT it is NOT the place of the company rep to force me into anything or talk to me like that. I was extremely angry at this tone and decided to go ahead with a different company just because of his behavior. Their services may be good, but they need to learn to talk to their customers.

Original review: June 4, 2019

My husband and I have moved across the US at least 5 times the last 15 years due to our jobs. Each time we used either Ally or Mayflower. We were moving from Upstate NY to Philadelphia and We decided to save cost and went with Colonial Van Lines this time and ultimately regretted the decision. I will break it down into bullet points:

1. They do estimates and not quotes like other company, which means they could charge more (usually not less) after the move. They do not have a in person to come to your house to evaluate how many things you have. Everything was done through a phone call. Because of that, we were uncomfortable how accurate that might be, therefore we had another company Corrigan to come evaluate. They quoted us to be within 6000 lbs range. Their quote is final and that's the price you pay. We sent Corrigan's quote to Colonial and asked them to beat the price. They assured us that our items should be less than 5000 lbs and could save us $2000.

2. When the movers came to pick up they mentioned that it has to be within 75 ft of the apt and the truck, and will be charged a fee if more than that distance, this was never disclosed to us.

3. During the delivery the driver panicked and kept calling my husband about parking in Philadelphia and caused a lot of stress when he later told us that we should have gotten a permit. This was ridiculous to us and this is usually taken care by by the movers. We did not have any issues with Mayflower when we moved to Chicago city area.

4. The driver later told us that they have to charge us extra bc we have more than 21 flights of steps to the apt by counting the basement to the top, not from the truck to the apt, which was different from pick up. He had no idea how much to charge us since it was a Sunday. He said the office told him to charge us the maximum of $350 and will call us back to sort out the detail and refund us money. Long story short, they never called us and charged us in full of $350.

5. The movers revealed to us that they are just third party and not professional movers. They were not trained at all. They flipped a lot of our boxes upside down, which was frustrating. They severely bent one of our desk metal legs, and the wielded joint was agap, which I decided to document by taking photos. The driver, which we assume was the boss bent the leg back and took another picture. I told him I'm going to submit a claim, but he told me that the claim will never believe me as he bent it back and took a better picture!!! My husband and I were speechless at that point and what just came out of his mouth.

6. They also charged us an additional $1300 as they claimed it was over 5000 lbs, which was not what they assured us the first place. And the Corrigan's initial quote was accurate and they did not go with it just so that they can tell us they could beat the price. Also as we were unpacking we found boxes of stuff that belong to other clients and not us, which lead us to believe we combined other client's boxes with ours and became overweight. We were extremely baffled by their unprofessionalism.

7. The delivery guy tried to charge us 4 additional boxes and packing materials for $150 which does not exist. We packed every single boxes ourselves and suddenly we got charged for non-existing "packing materials" and labors. We were so furious at this point.

8. When my husband tried to call and dispute, they just kept passing the calls along and we were forced to leave a message.

9. The were suppose to put our beds together since they were the ones who took it apart. When I moved the bed to reposition it, 2 metals fell off the bottom frame because they never tighten the screws. We were horrified by how bad they did their jobs.

Long story short, we will never go with Colonial van lines ever again. We have moved to many places. This is most stressful time working with them. Ultimately they did not beat other company's quote, and left us dissatisfied, angered, and frustration. A lot of our furnitures got scratches and chipped off. We will keep working to dispute the claims.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I was a newbie to moving, having lived in my home for 35 years. Colonial contacted me quickly after requesting a quote online, looked at our house from the online sale listing, and estimated the move total. They were professional and were able to get me moved when I requested, only 10 days in advance. In retrospect, I didn't realize any additional items or boxes beyond Colonial's estimate would cause a mountain of paperwork on moving day. Two days before the moving date I left a message with Colonial requesting they call me back so I could revise upward the number of boxes, but they didn't return my call. On this same day, the driver whose crew would be moving us called and told me when he would arrive.

I hesitate to be critical of the moving crew since they were the people doing the work, but they seemed confused at times and overwhelmed at others. They had no cell signal at our new home, and a landline was not yet functional here, so my cell phone was used for several phone calls to their office and photos taken of documents I signed which needed to be seen by their handlers. Oddly, the movers had no appliance dolly, the type with rear tractor treads used to go up and down stairs, so they wrestled boxes and items up and down by hand. They weren't really dressed for the job either, wearing dainty athletic shoes while I was wearing work boots, which were needed in a rural setting where everything isn't paved. In the end they got the job done on time and with nothing broken.

One thing concerned me however. All three crew members stood and watched as my credit card was photographed, both sides, so all could get a good look at the security number on the back. I was glad the pictures were on my phone and not theirs. This card was supposedly certified by Colonial earlier, but with two companies involved, things simply didn't work very smoothly. Save yourself a lot of confusion. Call a local mover, meet them, have them look over your stuff, and you'll save yourself a hassle. Colonial is essentially just an added layer to the moving process, who found a mover and then either ignored me or called 5 days after the move asking if it had happened yet.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I googled the available moving companies and Colonial had the best reviews. Their reps were very professional, very clear, and very detailed. I had all the information that I needed. So, they were on top of their game. The rep that assisted me during the move was okay. I shared with her that I would be traveling internationally and would be unavailable from joining the delivery. But I don't know if she was off, but somehow that communication didn't get through appropriately. So, it caused some confusion, and it got really screwed up between the delivery people and my wife. It was a mess, but they ultimately worked it out.

When they picked up, it took them about seven hours to pack up. They did a good job from the pick-up. We've already had a house, so I was living at an apartment, doing an away job and then moved back to the house we were in. So, they packed up the apartment, moved everything back to the house. My wife said they delivered things in about five hours, and that was spread out over about 10 days. The only thing is when they delivered, they didn't put stuff back together right. So, they just put it all in. They reimbursed me a small amount, but they did not assemble the furniture back. Other than that, they've done a very adequate job. Overall, I was satisfied with my experience. It was a pretty difficult task. Colonial was well-prepared and the communication was adequate. I got the value for what I paid for the service.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Colonial Van Lines gave me a nice quote and I used the for a relocation. Everything that they said they were gonna do, they did. I've moved several times being a retired military and to me, they were professional and they packed up everything pretty solid. Their rep, Christine, was also great. I had my furniture scheduled for the 15th and when the movers showed up, my floor wasn't completed by a contractor that was supposed to have my floor done way before. So, they ended up having to move my things from their truck to a U-Haul truck, which uninsured my furniture.

A lot of my furniture was damaged but I'm suing the guy that did my floor. It wasn't because of the moving company as they did what they were supposed to do. It was a very hectic experience, but Colonial Van Lines made it less hectic by being very accommodating and on-time with all their paperwork. I also liked the professionalism of the truck drivers and representatives that were constantly calling me and making sure that everything was on point.

Original review: May 16, 2019

My experience with Colonial Van Lines was better than expected. I was relocating for my job and they were prompt, fast, and accommodated my immediate needs. My interactions with the moving coordinator were perfect. Their professionalism and courteousness were fantastic. The account manager was very helpful. Plus, the quote was 100% accurate.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Like other reviews, the initial contact and assessment of our moving needs went well. After that our 8 month nightmare began. Colonial subcontracts out to various trucking companies and ours, Alvarez Trucking out of Houston were 5 days late in arriving, storage was supposed to be in a climate controlled environment but when our goods arrived 2 months later it was obvious that they got wet and there was mold inside our boxes. We had to pay for the additional use of a small truck to unload our goods from the large truck since they supposedly couldn’t navigate to our street.

The entire post move process was horrible with little follow up, follow through and professional customer service. Ironically the carrier service supposedly has been discontinued from what obviously were other issues from other customers. Interesting also is that the only responses on these reviews from Colonial are from positive experiences. This is an indicator of the poor customer service and professional service that is offered when things don’t go well. Please stay away from this company!!!

Original review: May 14, 2019

The staff of Colonial Van Lines were lovely people. The person who assisted me during the move was very pleasant and the movers came and did everything they said they were going to do. I couldn't have been more pleased with the move.

Original review: May 14, 2019

It was overwhelming trying to pull this move all together myself but the moving coordinator set up everything else for me and made it so much easier, like with the insurance. We mostly emailed but I also spoke with him a few times. Everything was pretty much as he said it would be in the beginning. He told me what dates the move was probably gonna be, and that was what it was. And I'm retired so everything worked out fine. I was waiting for them and I have a room that’s very large. I just had all the boxes put back there. There were 80 of them.

I still haven’t unpacked everything but it came fast, which was surprising. I thought it would take a little longer. Everything arrived in great shape too. A little tip of the garden angel’s wing cracked but that’s no big deal to me. I fixed it. Nothing major was damaged and they were friendly. They moved some pretty unusual things and we all laughed about it. I bought a tree trunk with me. This thing was such a beautiful piece of art that you could’ve made a table with it. But I just like it in my garden. I had to bring a few from Woodstock here with me. Colonial Van Lines was good and I was very satisfied overall.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I had a work-related move of about 500 miles. I liked how Colonial Van Lines provided professional service so I went with them. I interacted very well with their rep and the expectations we set were pretty accurate. However, I had a bad experience with the account manager who assisted during my move. She was supposed to call me and update when the truck would be coming to pick up and when the truck would deliver, but she didn’t do that. Also, she gave me a wrong estimate of the truck delivery. She said truck would be delivered on Wednesday but then Monday evening, she calls me and says that the truck would be delivered on Tuesday instead. I was not ready at the destination so I had to hurry a lot of things to meet that particular Tuesday. Other than that, everything was really good.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Colonial Van Lines was the quickest to respond and they gave me a reasonable price. The first set of movers was great, and then a company in New Jersey took over but they weren’t so great. When they got to the house to deliver the stuff, the truck guy wanted my credit card. I had work that day, so there was somebody at home to receive the stuff. I thought everything was gonna be done through the office. So, that kind of put us in a drama where we had a hassle, and we had to get ahold of the guy that was actually in charge at the office to give him my credit card over the phone, which I wasn’t comfortable with. I’ve never seen a business where the credit card was given to the driver to pay. That’s kinda a red flag to me, but then they emptied the stuff once they have the payment. The driver wasn’t the nicest to the gentleman that was there waiting for the goods.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I’m retired and decided to move from Arizona to Missouri. Lauren from Colonial Van Lines seemed to have the right answers and she seemed to know more than the other ones that I had talked to. However, I was already stressed with the move then I’m getting four phone calls from Colonial and that was way too many. I told them I was driving down the road and really didn't wanna talk on the phone. They said okay but they talked anyway. I told them to call me later and they said no. That was a little frustrating. They should call either early in the morning or in the evening when somebody would be where they were going. Also, I didn't expect to have to pay cash. I thought I could use a debit card, as I was told on the phone. And on top of that, they did not put all my furniture back together. They left some of it wrapped up, and I was disappointed with that. They also overdid on the emails too. Other than that, I had a good experience.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I liked the original estimate price of Colonial Van Lines for my move. Working with their reps was fine. While they were accurate over the phone and their movers handled my items well, they tried to make me pay extra. They added an extra 1,000 pounds on after my items were on the truck.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I was moving from Oklahoma City to Little Rock and I had a lot of stuff, and I didn't feel like lifting them. Colonial Van Lines had lots of good reviews, so I went with them and everything worked out fine. They were always there on the phone, though there were some people that would help more than others. I talked to three different people and initially there was a hiccup in the delivery time. They wanted to move it up a day or two and me to make it back to Missouri that same day. I was still in Missouri, but I had to fly to Oklahoma City to drive some cars back, so I wasn’t gonna be in Missouri for the pickup. The guy there was like, “We can guarantee you, it's gonna be there that day.” It was almost like he was trying to sell me on the fact that they'll figure it out. I called back and I got somebody else on the line, and she was very effective. She helped me figure it out and it was really well done.

When you go and do a quote, it’s hard to find out exactly how much it’s gonna be, especially when your're dealing with weight. The overall amount was $500 more than I had anticipated, but Colonial Van Lines was straight about it. They show you the ticket to where they will weigh the truck before, then weigh it after. It was pretty cut and dry at the end of the day. The moving company itself could've had a little more help though. There were only two people that came to move and I had a lot of heavy stuff. So, the loading took longer than expected. Also, there was a miscommunication, but they didn’t charge me for it. I thought they were bringing TV boxes and when they got there, they didn’t have any. But there were no worries and nothing broke.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Colonial Van Lines' customer service did a great job of contacting me as I was working to get quotes to see what's the best moving company. I called them back and asked a couple of questions along the way and their customer service also did a good job of keeping me updated and watch out for stuff when moving across many states. Their rep gave a perfect quote and they followed and met the expectations they said to a T.

One little thing I had an issue with was that they were supposed to deliver between 11:00 in the morning and 2:00 in the afternoon. However, I got a call about 1:30 letting me know they’re gonna be delayed another couple of hours due to a storm. This happened on a Sunday and typically, Colonial is not open during that time. So, I had to wait till the actual movers that were on the road called me and let me know that they were gonna be delayed. Still, they assisted and packed everything very well and I had no damage to my items when I got to my destination. As I moved in, they unpacked the product as well and took very good care of setting up the beds.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Colonial's price was right and they were moving all the stuff themselves. The guys who came were pretty good. They took everything from the apartment and packed it in their truck. Everything was safe. They said when they get to the truck stop to wait up. They’re gonna send me a slip that says the actual weight. However, they never did and I still don’t have it. Then the five people coordinating things just messed everything up. One told me something different and then she’d call me and tell me something different. And I had to pay $500 or $600 extra for the extra weight. I asked them why did that happen and nobody had a receipt of the original weight and the weight after. They quoted me $2,400 and it wasn’t accurate at all with the ending price. They said I have gotten 3,800 pounds and I went over 300 pounds extra.

It’s like too many people got their own ideas of everything and I couldn’t get a handle. It’s too much coordinator in their business and they don’t know what they’re talking about. It’s a whole bunch of nonsense with them that’s why I just paid them. I don’t want anything to do with them anymore. I am dissatisfied because I still don’t have the weight. I don’t know what they’re charging for.

Original review: May 8, 2019

We needed to go ASAP because we had put off the move a couple of times due to problems with the movers. With Colonial Van Lines, we didn't really have any problems as far as getting the quote and them holding up to their word as to what they said they would do. But we had the full packing service from them and although our experience with the actual movers started out okay, it went totally downhill and it was really bad in the end.

In the beginning, they came in and were polite. They were doing their job in getting everything. But by the time they were finishing up on the morning to hit the road, they got really sloppy. They started packing on Monday and then finished up the next but they looked extremely tired. They could hardly put one foot in front of the other. Then it was like they didn't care by the time it got to the end. They were putting things in the truck without taking care of how they handled the stuff or what they did. Before we were ready to leave, we were looking through and there were all kinds of things we were finding that they hadn't gotten into some cabinet or whatever.

When we arrived at our location and they unloaded the first section of the truck, we kept finding things that were damaged. We have a small round kitchen table that goes in the kitchenette, for example, and its legs were broken off of it. The top was broken too. It's useless now. When they started to connect our end tables, the stone tiles were also loose. When they had started to pack it, I had told them that other movers had always taken the tiles out and packed them separately because they would break. But this guy came in, threw one of the moving rugs over it, tied that around the legs and went on out. As it turns out, it did break. When they delivered it, I told the head guy that I had told the other one not to pack it that way and he said they should've at least put a piece of cardboard on it to hold it stable under that piece of carpet because that doesn't really hold anything.

They also charged us for all these special boxes for wardrobe and dishes. It was $400 extra and I was fine. We did have a lot of dishes and clothes. But when their people called me for satisfaction, I told them that as we were unpacking, we kept finding wardrobe boxes that didn't have clothes in them. The movers had just thrown everything in it and they were way too heavy to manage or carry around. My husband's suit was also just thrown down in a box, all wrinkled up. Weren't the boxes gonna have the barb go in them for the hanging clothes? But they didn't do it. They took and threw the clothes in there then threw other junk and left it. It was such a mess.

We found other things too. They had taken ceramic things off of a shelf that we had and threw those in the box. They didn't wrap them at all. When we unpacked it, there were no wrappings in there – no anything. The box was crushed and several of those ceramic things were broken. We're still unpacking and we're still finding things. I talked to Colonial Van Lines and told them every detail. And they are mailing us a check. At least, they said they were.

The check is for $400 because of the difference we paid for the boxes, even though they did use some boxes appropriately. The wardrobe or dish boxes are also thicker than the others so we can definitely tell them apart. I'm also still filling out a claim for them on all the damaged mess. So things turned out really badly. I even had high hopes for Colonial Van Lines. But at least they stuck with their price. The others went double and triple when the movers actually showed up.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Compared to other companies, Colonial Van Lines seemed more interested in me and where I was going. They were also interested in where they could help me and what type of write-offs they could give me. I decided to go with them had a good experience with the account manager who assisted during my move. However, I didn't understand some stuff so I called and said that it has been two weeks and no one has told me anything. They responded by saying that when I move, it's a liquid basis and the movers would get a hold of me two days before the move to let me know when they were gonna come. Things went pretty smoothly and though they came a day earlier than I was last told, everything worked out. If I could get the driver and his helper if I ever move again, I would like that. Overall, Colonial did a fantastic job. They went beyond my expectations, and I would suggest anybody moving to talk to them.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I got a different job and I needed to move. I liked the persons whom I spoke with at Colonial Van Lines as they walked me through what I needed to do. So, I went with them. However, the moving coordinator was off by 2,000 pounds. Still, there was no way for them to estimate the weight and when the moving person showed up, they said that missing the weight was completely typical. Also, the account manager tried really hard to coordinate the dates of when and where stuff would be. The cars were delivered before I even left and that was kind of an issue. Also, when my stuff arrived, I got a call the day before from the person moving them while the account manager had no idea.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I was moving for about 3,400 miles and Colonial Van Lines seemed like the best bid when I needed it done. Everything worked out within a few hundred dollars of what they included. The account managers and the movers said they'd be there at 9:00. They showed up at 8:30 and it was a little ahead of time, which was fine with me, and they got it done. Everything was fine. There was a couple of scratches here and there but it was minor.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I always go for the rating and that was why I chose Colonial Van Lines. Their quote was over though. The inventory thing was a little way over. We had a thousand boxes and some of those big boxes only had a couple of things in it. But other than that, everything else was good. The move was about 500 miles. It took a couple of days and when they said they were gonna come, they did.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information