Call toll free
4.26/5
Based on 354 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Margate, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

681 Colonial Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 22, 2018

I was relocating for work and chose Colonial Van Lines because of the price. Everything was fine with the moving coordinator and the quote was pretty accurate. Also, everything was on time and the service met my expectations.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

With Colonial Van Lines I had a great experience with the picking up. They were very kind and everything was on time.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I met the Colonial Van Lines rep that I was chatting with and the quote that was given to me was very accurate. He also gave me all the information I was looking for. It was a good experience and I would recommend them.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Charles! We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant moving experience. Please make sure to like our Facebook page and tell any of your friends or family looking for help to try us. Thank you again.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 13, 2018

Colonial missed our packing and pickup dates completely (four days ago) and has no plan to reschedule anytime soon. In retrospect, it appears Colonial had no plan in the first place. Customer service reps are friendly but apparently completely ineffective in resolving the problem. One of them appears to be trying to put our household goods on a regular freight carrier - absolutely unsatisfactory, but it appears they can't even get that done.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hello, we apologize for your experience and appreciate your patience with resolving your issue. I see that you were in contact with our resolutions manager and you were able to be refunded due to our inability to service your move. If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I contracted Colonial Van Lines to move my belongings from New York City to Atlanta. My pick up date was May 25, 2018 and my delivery window was May 26, 2018 to June 3, 2018. Colonial did not disclose that they would be using subcontractors. Another moving company arrived on May 25, 2018 and falsely represented themselves as Colonial Van Lines. After loading the truck, they increased my estimate by $800, which is a violation of federal regulations. I disputed the charge with Colonial, and only after threatening legal action did Colonial agree to honor the original estimate. However, Colonial has since refused to deliver my belongings, and will not provide an estimated date for delivery. This treatment is unsurprising, as Colonial Van Lines is owned by Aldo DiSorbo. DiSorbo owns many moving brokers that illegally advertise themselves as full service moving companies.

These companies subcontract all their moves to other moving companies. A 2012 US Senate investigation found that DiSorbo broker companies regularly misrepresented themselves as moving companies, stating, "[d]espite regulations that require brokers to disclose their status as brokers, customers repeatedly reported that they were not made aware that the [DiSorbo] companies they were dealing with were brokers and not carriers with the capability of conducting their moves," and, "Websites for the DiSorbo Broker Companies and Budget Van Lines often portray themselves as full service moving companies seeking to service a consumer's move from initial estimate to final delivery of goods. The websites of these companies often fail to clearly disclose the fact that the companies will likely never move a consumer's goods but instead act as a broker and contract with a carrier to complete the move."

According to that same Senate investigation, DiSorbo companies also received a disproportionate amount of complaints submitted to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. From January 2006 to October 2011, DiSorbo companies received 4,500% more complaints than the average moving company, where a customer's goods were being held hostage while DiSorbo's company demanded ransom. The following, which comes from the same Senate investigation, is an example of DiSorbo's conduct. The company in this situation, Nationwide Relocation Services, is also owned by DiSorbo.

"Similarly, a Nationwide Relocation Services customer moving from Colorado to Florida spent nearly five months negotiating with the carrier to deliver. The customer was given an original binding estimate for $3,332.85. She paid an initial deposit of $1,585.73, leaving a balance of $1,747.12. After pick-up, the carrier advised that the 'final weight of her goods was an additional 2,035 pounds above the original estimate.' The customer was also charged for $1,220 worth of additional packing services, increasing the amount due at delivery by $1,877.52. The customer objected to this increase and alleged that the carrier made her sign blank documents. The customer was unable to pay the increased fees, and the carrier placed her goods in storage.

After several months of unsuccessful negotiations, on March 9, 2011, the carrier sent the customer an auction notice. After many more months of haggling with the carrier and Nationwide Relocation Services, the carrier agreed to deliver her goods for $2,500." The full Senate investigation can be read here: **. Submit your own complaint regarding a DiSorbo owned moving company here: **

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: June 12, 2018

Colonial Van Lines moved my motorcycles and they had a pretty far walk at the place of pick up. The administrative people from the office that I dealt with that handled commercial and planning side of things was very on top of their game. They followed up with me a lot, just to make sure all was as we planned. Their movers were very nice and friendly and professional. It was pretty seamless. Nothing was broken or missing that we're aware of. I would highly recommend Colonial Van Lines and use them again.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Jonathan, we are pleased to hear that all of your interactions with our office staff went well. Please recommend us to others and hopefully we are able to provide you with another great move in the future.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Colonial Van Lines seemed like the most legit moving company when I looked online so I went with it. Everybody from there gave me great service across the board, whether it was in terms of timing, their productivity or the quote. While I knew the quote was going to be off since I had a lot of heavy boxes since I have a lot of cookbooks and records, it was still quite close. I expected the quote to be about where it was so everything was good. Also, the main guy showed up to deliver my things as well and I was very happy with Colonial's whole team. I'll use their services next time.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for taking time to share your wonderful feedback with our online customers. We sincerely appreciate your outstanding review and we are pleased to see that we were able to exceed your service expectations.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Colonial Van Lines was the first company I chose to ship my house stuff from Greenville, South Carolina to Phoenix, Arizona. I contacted several companies and this company replied to me immediately. They gave me the quotation and the price was reasonable. In the beginning, they sent me the items like the table. I needed to do the initial estimation of what kind of items I need to ship. Then, I sent the items back to them, which they went over. Then they called me to know more detail information about the item. They gave me some option on how to make the shipment more economical. We talked back and forth many times, then they scheduled the mover, the driver, and set up the time we both were available to make this shipment. The delivery reached my apartment on time and nothing was broken. They worked very effectively to make the shipment without any big mistake.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you so much for trusting your moving experience with our company! We understand how important it is to have a smooth, stress free attitude going into a new home and pride ourselves on being able to be trusted by our clients to provide that and so much more! Please make sure to like our Facebook page and tell any of your friends or family looking for help to try us. Thank you again.

Original review: June 9, 2018

We had to move across the country from Texas to Florida. I did some research and thought that Colonial Van Lines was the most reputable that I found. We had to make a lot of special requests. We had to put our stuff in storage. And once we close on the house, we had a couple of months before we could move into the other one. So there were a lot of issues. I got handed off to a couple of different people which I didn’t think was gonna happen, but it did. The initial person did that to keep the contact going. It was handed off to somebody else. Then we got a couple of different people, so I thought we were fine.

The driver was in charge of relocation. He was really good and he called us. We set it up anywhere from the 1st and the 5th of May. He got it there on the 1st. We were contacted and everything was good at that point. But I didn’t think the packers did such a hot job. We found some things that were broken and some things that were just packed and labeled wrong. We've unpacked boxes that said dog toys and tables and didn’t have any of that in it. So all in all it was a decent job, but not the extraordinary job that we first thought we were getting.

My sister said the guys had a great attitude and they really worked hard and so she thought they did great at the beginning and we didn’t get any major damage to things that were breakable. But for her, it was the clothes that was not a good deal. My sister had some very expensive suits and they were left on the hanger, triple folded and rolled in a ball and then put in the bottom of one of the shipping boxes that had shoes in the closet with them. I wasn’t real happy. I had a lot of the clothes like that, too. They had wardrobe boxes, but they either didn’t have enough of them and didn’t say anything to anybody. I also thought they overdid it with the packing paper, but I can't really fault them for that. There's a lot of dish packed and the kitchen was really big to pack.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I needed to move from South Carolina to Colorado, and Colonial Van Lines was the first to contact us and had the best price. I talked to Diana and a lot of people and they did everything they said they were going to do. That was a unique thing down in South Carolina. The moving crew was good too.

Colonial Van Lines response

HI Steve, we are thrilled that your moving experience was a great one as this is the standard we like to set. We aim to make the process as easy and stress free for you as possible. Thank you again and good luck in your new journey!

Original review: June 8, 2018

I was talking to 3 moving companies and I felt more confident with the man from Colonial with whom I was working with. The move went very smoothly and they sent us 26. Though I kept thinking that we were going to need a larger van, the one they sent held all of our stuff despite being packed full. Also, their movers knew what they were doing. The guys that came and got the stuff at our place in Oklahoma were very professional. Thereafter, we had to have our stuff stored for three months and what I was really surprised and pleased about was the same guy showed up when they brought it out three months later. At the time, I figured it would be another crew that would show up with our stuff eventually and it was good that we had already dealt with the ones who came out.

While there were a couple of dings in the furniture, there was nothing terrible. Their guy told me that they took basic effects to their home base in Missouri from our place in Oklahoma and then when we were ready for delivery, they went and retrieved it out of the storage unit there. They were the only ones that ever had a key for that storage unit and so our things were under their watch.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Colonial Van Lines said that they go all over the country. They've been in business for a long time so I thought they were fine for me. Their guys came right on schedule and they were cool to talk to. They got all the stuff and moved. However, it would have been nice if they would have told me that it was a Foxtrot coming 'cause it could have made my life a little bit easier. Still, they did a great job moving for me. They moved the washer and dryer up to the side door. I would have used a ramp but they did almost everything through the side door. Their guys were pretty tough. I recommend them.

Hi Ricky!

We are pleased to hear that your move went smoothly and our movers were able to defeat odds :) We sincerely appreciate your outstanding feedback and wish you the best of luck in your new journey.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I had to move 700 miles to be closer to my family. Colonial Van Lines did everything that they committed to do, and they were very careful with my belongings. I chose them to do my move primarily for the price and they were reliable, honest, and dependable. The moving coordinator did his job and I was happy with him. He was off by about 2,000 pounds but I’m not sure that was entirely his fault since I changed my mind on some of the stuff that I had originally thought I would not be moving. The account manager was good too and he kept me informed as to where we were at. There were no surprises in the move except during pickup since I thought I was going to have an extra day or two to get ready. I was pretty much ready when they came, but I was packing as they were loading. Then everything went according to schedule for the delivery.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We Googled moving companies and Colonial Van Lines seemed to have better ratings and better reviews. The lady I worked with was really friendly. She answered all of our questions and gave us tips on things to do. She guesstimated how many boxes she thought we would need and I told her that we would need a lot more than that. She explained to me that the average household has X amount of the house the size of ours. She said they would up it since I think that. But it was way under what she estimated and we ended up having probably close to 100 over. The truck came to get our stuff and the guy had to shove some of our stuff to the back of the truck. And we had a pickup load that we had to haul.

She gave us some pointers that we didn't need like to put all of our shovels and stuff in a garage trash can because it would be easier for the guys to move them. We did and the movers laughed at us and they separated them and taped them together like four each. Also, she told us what to expect to pay the mover when they came to get the stuff out of our original house and we did.

We paid what we were supposed to. I went and got the money order for the 2,000 they told us to have when he got there. The guy said okay and told us what we owe for storage. I told him the lady told me that storage would be calculated at the end because if we didn’t use the full 30 days of storage that we would not pay for 30 days of storage. He said no and that we owed him. I didn't have cash on me then so he said he would send me a link so that I could get that paid which he never did. But then when they delivered, we ended up paying the remainder of it for storage.

It was hard to pinpoint a delivery day because it was the time that we set it up. I didn’t have one because we had not closed on our new house. Then we got a closing and the mover kept saying he would get back to me. And I kept calling Colonial and the guy who was helping me out said he would call the mover. The mover said that he could do it that Tuesday. But then Colonial called me back and said that the mover called and that he was not gonna make it until that Thursday. We finally got them pinned down, but that took a little while.

I have a lot of Pyrex broken and we had wrapped it, put it in boxes, and marked them fragile. I expected it got moved, put in storage, moved, and hauled back. Also, the lady that I talked to on the phone initially told me to not break anything down because sometimes the guys don’t like it broke down, sometimes they do. And we were told when we moved that anything that they broke down, they would put back together. They broke down two beds, eight sets of shelves, an exterior table that went outside my yard, an entertainment center, and a baker’s rack. But they put up our bed and that was it. They left everything else and we had to put them together. But I would definitely recommend Colonial and I would use them again, too, because they did well. It was just trying to put stuff together so that we could get stuff unpacked. And then panicking over paying and not knowing that we would pay at that time.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I was moving from New York to Atlanta and Colonial did some storage for me. Everything else went well and they were all very good. My experience was very positive.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for being a client and trusting Colonial Van Lines with your move. Please recommend us to anyone else looking to move and follow us on Facebook for helpful lifestyle blogs!

Original review: June 3, 2018

Colonial Van Lines was one of the first to respond back to when I put out a bid. Everything went well for the most part. They gave me a window of what date it would be. They weren't specific. And then, when they narrowed it down, it wasn't necessarily the date that works as well for me. But I needed to get the job done so I went ahead with the date that they gave me.

But other than that inconvenience, the movers were very good and professional. They did a great job. There was damage to a piece of my furniture. The mover brought it to my attention that they inadvertently mistakenly damaged and I appreciate the integrity about bringing it to my attention. The rep had me submit paperwork to do a formal claim about it two weeks ago but I haven't heard anything yet back. That was kinda concerning me. But maybe they're trying to finalize that thing.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I liked Colonial Van Lines' cost, how they deemed costs, and what they covered. They moved us over 1,500 miles. The moving coordinators that helped estimate our inventory and got a quote for us were very friendly and helpful. They were off, though, on the estimate by a bit and the main issue we had with Colonial was the sticker shock when I got the actual cost of moving versus the estimate. But aside from the cost difference, everything else went fine. The reps that we dealt with during the entirety of the move were very friendly and helpful too, and they were supportive. Also, the actual movers were great. They did an excellent job in packing everything up and there was nothing that was broken when we got here.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi! I am thrilled we were able to make the entire moving experience for you seamless from beginning to end! Thank you again for trusting us with your move and enjoy your new home!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I googled Colonial Van Lines and I liked what I saw. Everything was great. I liked the attitude of their moving crew, the way they worked and their professionalism. Everything was smooth and according to what was planned. I like how working with them worked out for me. It will work out for other people.

Hi Marvin,

Thank you for trusting Colonial Van Lines with your move. Customer satisfaction is our number one priority as we understand how stressful moving could be and aim to make it as easy as possible for you. Good luck in your new journey!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 1, 2018

I had an employment change which was about 1000 miles move. I liked Colonial Van Lines' price and convenience so I went with them. Their moving coordinator was very pleasant and very accommodating. Colonial was a bit of a disadvantage going nationwide. But they were great and they did the best that they could. And everything worked out for the best.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Jeremy,here at Colonial, we pride ourselves on our high level of service to our clients. Customer feedback is the main way we can work on bettering ourselves so please feel free to reach out to us with information on what took place in your move as well as anymore concerns. Thank you again for trusting us with your move and we apologize for the slight dissatisfaction.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I was doing a very small move for about 450 miles. I went on the internet and saw that Colonial have 5 stars. I called three moving companies and Colonial responded so I got them. They called me a day before the pickup and people showed up when they needed to. All my stuff, like my furniture and paintings were antique. They were wrapped really well and everything got moved. Overall, they did a good job.

Colonial Van Lines response

At Colonial Van Lines, we pride ourselves on customer satisfaction. We are pleased to know that you had a great time moving with us. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I checked a few different moving companies before I ended with Colonial Van Lines and I went with them because of the price. The moving coordinator did okay. There were some of the stuff I wanted to move that wasn't on the list and it may have been my fault or his, but it all worked out. On the other hand, the account manager did a good job and he explained the process well. The moving crew was very late, but it was not a big deal.

Original review: May 30, 2018

This is the first review I have ever felt the need to write about my experience with a company, but is entirely with earnest hope that I save you and yours from a traumatic and expensive experience. This company thrives on a simple, unethical model. Quote low, get the deposit, sub-contract, and walk away. Quote Low/Underestimate: They will do your quote over the phone. They will not send someone out. We advised them we had 2800 sq ft and 4+ bedrooms and they responded with 'we're not interested in that... they would rather just do furniture estimations.

They eventually sent us a 2 man team and a 24 ft truck. 12 hours later, we finished loading. My families help. The quote went from around 5,000$ to 10,000$. The weight estimated was 10,000 lbs, but eventually became 16,000 lbs. After this failure, I contacted three other companies who proceeded to tell me that a 2 man team and 24 ft truck for that size house is a clear undercut... expected to become inflated.

Get the Deposit: The first payment you pay, is their money. As in, every penny spent after that first downpayment, is the money they pay the sub-contractors for the move. This gives them massive financial flexibility and safety to push back and separate themselves from any loss for poor service. By the time the scam is apparent by the purchaser, your money is already in their account.

Sub-Contract: Colonial doesn't show up to your house. They don't pack your stuff. They don't move it. They don't unload it. They literally, just pick up the phone. My "deposit," of 2900$ to them, was paid for a bad estimate and a phone call. That's it. EVERYTHING ELSE, is sub-contracted all the way to the end. There are zero services rendered beyond poor customer service, which they have a lot of. See other reviews here and elsewhere. Their response is canned and always "we've been trying to contact you..." Hilarious if you had been in my shoes the last 2 weeks.

Walk away: And here is the prestige... once their subcontractors show up and explain how you've been lied to and cheated, Colonial will not resolve anything for you. They will not send more crew, more trucks, they will not refund you for their poor estimates, nothing. They will not call you back. You will be the one picking up the phone every time, trying to find someone with some sensibility. You will be redirected and lied to more, until you give up... because you're tired of their existence.

Moving is deeply stressful. No one deserves this. Do the best you can and find an alternative - there is lots of good competition out there. I would highly recommend you start with a company who: Will send someone out to do the estimate. Has their own trucks/and crew. Does not require large upfront deposits. Be cautious...

Colonial Van Lines response

We are aware of the issues that took place during your move and are currently working to resolve all of your issues in a satisfactory manner. If you feel as if you are not getting the attention you deserve or would like to discuss another resolution with us please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. Our resolution managers name is Teheria and can be reached directly at 866-913-3611.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I was moving for about 1100 miles from Illinois to Southern Arizona. Colonial Van Lines was about $1000 cheaper than other moving companies. And their customer service was fantastic. Any questions that I had regarding the contract like who would be doing it and who to call if I had any issues were very well put forth. The moving coordinator left me her number right from the get go and kept in touch with me the entire way. The services and expectations that were set were very accurate and the actual move went very well. They gave me a 24 hour notice, but at that point, I almost had everything packed up.

The only thing I was upset about was that it got here a couple of days outside of the protected delivery date, but beyond that, things were fine. When we got to the new place, they unloaded everything in a very short amount of time. All my stuff got there perfectly fine except for a couple of minor dings on a coffee table. But I wasn't worried about it at all because those things goes with moving. Overall, it was one of my better moving experiences. I'd definitely be using Colonial Van Lines again.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Colonial Van Lines is a good company and everything went smooth and as it was supposed to when we used them. My husband contacted several companies and then read a lot of reviews online from people who posted about their experience with the company, and he liked what he read about Colonial Van Lines. The moving coordinator was really good and they were really thorough in communicating to us what we need to do and what they need from us on our side. It went well with the account manager too. Their pick-up team was there when they said they were going to be and then they contacted my daughter when they got close and everything worked out on the delivery end as well. Now, we're getting ready to use them again and in fact, I called the same moving coordinator back.

Original review: May 29, 2018

When I first started looking for quotes for an interstate move from Louisiana to North Carolina, I was troubled by all the negative reviews I found for virtually every moving company out there. I spoke with several companies and found that Colonial Van Lines offered the conveniences that made my move easier. I spoke with Nicholas and Collette initially when scheduling my move, and they were both very helpful and very professional. They discussed the entire process with me and arranged for me to be able to pay for the deposit as well as the final payment with a credit card. This made the process much easier since I did not need to run around on the day of delivery, trying to find an allied branch of my credit union for a certified check in a new town.

Once the move was booked, I was contacted by Christopher in quality assurance as well as Michael who was my account manager. My move was scheduled a short time prior to the actual moving date, but everyone made the process smooth and easy. I was contacted prior to the originally scheduled pickup date and asked if I could have things picked up one day earlier with the hopes that delivery would be earlier and I agreed. Communication was great throughout the process. On moving day, the driver (The only person whose name I forgot to write down! He was wonderful!) showed up on time and did a full inventory of my items, wrapped everything that required packaging and went over all the charges with me. Within a few hours my items were loaded and on their way. He gave me an estimated time of travel and we scheduled a tentative delivery date for 3 days later.

On the day before delivery I received a call from the driver confirming the delivery time and he arrived promptly at that time the next day. The truck was unloaded quickly and all of my items were placed where I wanted them. My bed was reconstructed and furniture items were positioned where I wanted them. During unpacking, I have noticed that some of the boxes were a little crushed from being stacked rather high, but so far I have only found 1 broken item which was only a decorative item that was not of great value.

Following the move I was contacted by Michael and Stephanie to assure that I was satisfied with my move. I have been very happy with the service, communication and ease of this move. My items were delivered very quickly with only minor damage that is to be expected when moving things. Colonial Van Lines and Beast Coast Moving (Colonial is a broker and Beast Coast was contracted for the move) were wonderful to deal with and I will be using them again for my next move!

Original review: May 29, 2018

When we were relocating for family and business from Ohio to Georgia, I recognized Colonial Van Lines and they were the first one to contact me when I put out a bid. However, there was a lapse in communication about who they were referring the job out to. That private company ended up contacting me before I heard the information from Colonial. So I felt that there was a gap, but it was quickly resolved. The items were delivered before the time that I expected them. Everything was fine and in good shape. I would recommend Colonial Van Lines.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We were making a long-distance move from California to Swanton, Maryland. I saw Colonial Van Lines on the internet and they sounded okay. My wife talked with the rep of Colonial that we dealt with initially and he was very good and informative. He explained everything and walked us through the process. So, we felt as comfortable with Colonial as most people could feel with movers because we've heard horror stories.

But Colonial's service was very good and they were on top of things. Everybody kept us informed all the time as to what was going on and we really appreciated that. The moving coordinator told us how the service would be and we were expecting that, and he turned out to be absolutely right. We were very prepared and all set for them to pick our things up and have these delivered. The guys who packed our stuff up did a nice job. They were very professional, as were the guys who dropped our stuff off. Everything was very seamless.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Nick! I'm happy to hear we were able to meet your expectations and also maintain a clear line of communication with you. Here at Colonial, we strive for excellence and professionalism as we understand how important and stressful every detail of moving can be. Thank you again & good luck!

Original review: May 27, 2018

The price of Colonial was competitive. The estimate ended up a little higher when they did the actual weigh in but that was anticipated because I have a lot of stuff and it was stuff that was hard for the estimator to really get a good sense of over the phone. I also had a good experience with the account manager. The only thing was when I talked with them I was under the impression that the individual that was there during the move was a Colonial Van Lines employee and not a contractor but it still went okay.

I had some stuff moved into a storage unit and then stuff moved to the house and I couldn’t be there. And it probably would have went better. I had my sister trying to coordinate unloading the stuff that went into the storage unit. There were a few things that should have came to the house that didn’t and there were a few things that should have went into the storage unit that came to the house. But we were able to solve, fix and correct it so it wasn’t that big of a deal. I was much satisfied with the experience.

I also just found minimal damage despite the amount of stuff that we had and despite the truck being extremely packed. Fortunately the stuff that was damaged wasn’t anything of extreme value. They sent me a claim form and I'm not working on that because I've been going through some of the items in storage and found several items in the storage unit that were damaged. The items that came to the house I didn’t find any damage. This was the first time I dealt with a moving company on my own and Colonial made it extremely easy. I was a little bit stressing with the thought that I was missing something, but they seemed to make the move less stressful.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Colonial Van Lines was very helpful and they had a good price. Their moving coordinator was very good and though the weight of what we were moving was a bit over the expectations he set, it was the best for the price that we got. The movers were very friendly and aside from the fact that I'm missing a little table, their services were great overall.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you Candita for your positive feedback. I am happy to hear that the move went well despite the table being missing. I understand that your account manager had contacted you in order to assist with locating this item. Your next steps would be to file a claim for the item with the form that was emailed to you. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to reach back out to us.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I had used Colonial Van Lines a couple of years prior and I liked the service. I decided to go there again and I used a different moving coordinator. Our interaction was really good but I called it lower than it ended up being, which is probably not uncommon and was probably my fault so it was fine. The account manager and his team were wonderful and were all business. They ended up getting the stuff delivered, fortunately, a day earlier than the projected date. As opposed to the first time I used Colonial, the window was about 10 days and it was closer to end of the 10 days. This time, it was on the front end, so it was perfect. One really can't make an assessment on the window but it was nice that this window was very early, which was important to me. I was very pleased.

Colonial Van Lines response

HI Francis, thank you for being trusting us with your move and being a repeated customer! We are pleased to hear that once again we exceeded your service expectations and look forward to working with you in the future :)

Colonial Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

• FMCSA authorized movers: The company only hires FMCSA movers to move customers' belongings, so they are sure to pick a qualified and credentialed company to handle customers' items.

• Fast estimates: Colonial Van Lines can provide customers with quotes for their move just minutes after speaking on the phone for the first time.

• Educational information: Colonial Van Lines provides easy-to-access educational information regarding rights, responsibilities, insurance and more via their website, making it an approachable resource for customers who are moving.

• Wide network: Colonial Van Lines works throughout the entire United States, so they can find a moving provider no matter where a customer lives or where they are moving.

• Discounted moving supplies: The company offers customers discounted packages of moving supplies, including boxes, packing material and tape, to make their move more affordable and convenient.

• Best for: Corporations, households, individuals and busy professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Colonial Van Lines questions and answers

What problem is Colonial Van Lines trying to solve?
Colonial Van Lines is always striving to improve the way we conduct business, in particular the level of service and professionalism we provide to our customers.
What sets Colonial Van Lines apart from the competition?
We have been operating in the Moving and Storage industry for 15 years and we are constantly evolving new technology to improve the way moving is conducted. We offer a 1 to 2 ratio, which means there is one Support Staff for every two sales personnel.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We are a relocation company that specializes in the transport of automobiles and household goods. What sets us apart from the competition is that we have been in business for 15 years. The prices that we offer are competitive as a result of our business plan and volume.
How does Colonial Van Lines measure success?
We measure success based on the return on investment, retention, repeat customers and number of positive reviews.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the moving industry?
The most common misconception within the moving industry is that all movers are bad, which is why there are such large numbers of companies going the self-service route.
How is your company going to evolve in the next 5 years?
As a company we are looking to evolve within the next year with some technology developments.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Colonial Van Lines?
Consumers should know that we truly try to do the right thing for all our customers. We are not Scammers and our employees are good people, there is no need to bash them on the internet.
How has Colonial Van Lines grown or evolved?
We have grown considerably over time. A few years ago we were focused primarily on volume, but realized that was not our best approach. We have done a good job on settling into our equilibrium point.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information