Call toll free
4.22/5

Margate, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Colonial Van Lines provides long-distance moving services across the continental U.S. Movers specialize in quick, efficient corporate and residential relocations. They offer competitive pricing and require a deposit.

PROS

• Easy booking process
  • Nationwide services
  • Free, instant quotes

CONS

• Subcontracts to third-party movers
  • Deposit required

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

03/24/2019

...They did a really good job in handling my items and I was impressed. Overall, it was an excellent experience with Colonial. They made a tense moment for me very comfortable. I already recommended them to family and friends.

04/04/2019

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Everyone I worked with was helpful and did what they said they would do. Dixie Movers were the subcontractors that did the move. They were professional and courteous. All my belongings were handled with care... Highly recommend. Would definitely use again.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, they have the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
  • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
  • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
  • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?

You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with them to be sure you’re getting the best price. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straight-forward and simple:

1. Request cross-country moving services by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
  2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
  3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobiles app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
  4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust some aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
What is the Colonial Van Lines app?
Colonial Van Lines’ free in-home moving services app makes it easy to get accurate moving cost estimates. You simply upload videos and pictures of your household goods through your phone, and then a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides your personalized moving consultation. You can also order packing materials and access educational resources about moving through the app.
Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues. It’s more difficult to move during certain times of the year in some locations, so this can increase your overall moving price too.
Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. However, Colonial Van Lines will not be liable for items that you pack yourself. If you choose to pack valuable items yourself, you might consider extra insurance for those belongings.
Is Colonial Van Lines a broker?
Colonial Van Lines has a fleet of moving trucks and also brokers relocation services from its network of vetted third-party transportation services. As a moving broker, Colonial Van Lines provides customer support and coordinates logistics within its network of over 200 agents who are regulated with the Federal Motor Carrier Administration (FMCSA).

When you book a move, Colonial Van Lines takes responsibility for the relocation even if they don’t actually own the physical truck, and you’ll always get a Colonial Van Lines bill of lading. If something goes wrong along the way, Colonial Van Lines will provide coverage and process claims for damages.

Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
Some Colonial Van Lines complaints reflect discrepancies between price estimates and total charges. All moving brokers and carriers pricing can fluctuate from the original quote or estimate to final delivery for a variety of reasons:
  • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could also account for a discrepancy.
  • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and therefore the cost of moving.
  • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for their labor.
  • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to upcharge when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet. If this charge is factored into the in-house estimate and the movers later determine that they can shorten this distance, your overall price will decrease.

Do we recommend Colonial Van Lines?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, they can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. Most Colonial Van Lines moving reviews are positive. Over 70 percent of verified customers within the last year said they were happy or satisfied with their experience or would recommend Colonial Van Lines to a friend.

1017 Colonial Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 17, 2019

My experience with Colonial Van Lines was fantastic from the very start. Susan **, my moving coordinator helped me through the process. She was incredibly helpful, friendly and efficient. The two gentlemen that packed up my house were extremely efficient. They had my house completely packed and loaded in one day and met us at our new home the next morning. They unloaded the truck and put the furniture and boxes in the designated rooms. When I unpacked the boxes everything was packed perfectly. Job # **.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I moved to take another job and it was four and a half hours away. I had gotten a quote or two from a company and in the course of doing that online, Colonial Van Lines popped up in my server. I looked into it and it looked like it got good reviews and it was a good company. The moving coordinator, Nicholas, was very good. He was the reason I selected their company. The rate that I got was competitive. The service was good and the movers themselves were excellent. The only complaint I had was related to the difference in the weight -- what was estimated versus what it actually was and getting the difference of that.

Getting it reimbursed or refunded never happened and there was a fair amount of back forth with a representative at Colonial Van Lines. She was a little gruff and it felt like a runaround and not a straight answer, so I wasn't gonna get very much back, maybe a 100 or $200. They said that they looked at it. They looked carefully and it has already been adjusted. My own estimations and their review of all the documents didn't add up to me. It just wasn't right. All my things got to me safely, nonetheless, and the movers were on time and communicative. The original estimate, even including the extra, was very fair.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Buyer beware!!!! If I could put zero stars I would. This company was hired for the sole purpose of moving our 1050 lb safe, our other belongings we could have handled with several U-Hauls. We paid our deposit with the understanding we were hiring sufficient equipment and number of movers for this job. Along with shuttle service to a semi. Our closing date for having to be out of our home was April 8th at 10 am. This company was aware of this and the contents of our move. They were to have us out by April 7th. We have all of this in our written contract along with a conversation and pictures of our forfeited safe and the path out of our home to move it to the truck with Gloria, who was coordinating our move for Colonial.

Our slot for the arrival of the movers was Sunday the 7th from 12-4 pm. They said they were delayed due to drop off difficulties. At 3:45 pm, two movers show up, not with proper equipment, enough manpower and shuttle and semi as promised, but just two men and two rented 26’ trucks. They say they were subcontracted by Colonial and were not aware of our safe. They sit around for an hour and a half after arriving wanting us to tell them to leave due to lack of manpower and proper equipment so we lose our deposit and they get out of the contract. We cannot as we have to have vacated our home by 10 the next morning as buyers take possession of home and all left contents at closing.

They move for an hour and a half and stop due to rain and improper equipment to load in rain. They say they will return between 5 am and 6 am with extra manpower and equipment for the safe in the morning and still have us out by closing. They come back at 6:40 the next morning, just the two movers and no additional equipment. We are panicking, stressed. We have our realtor talk with the buyers and their realtor to add an addendum to the contract giving us until 12 pm to vacate the premises due to the movers lack of ability to get us out on time as promised.

It’s a little past 12 pm, buyers and their realtor show up, moving men still loading last several items in driveway, safe is laying on cement concrete behind house, abandoned and badly scratched and dented by movers as they could not load it in the truck. Buyers, their realtor and my husband and I go back to determine if the buyers will accept responsibility for the safe or if my husband and I have to track down a company and pay for its removal from their property. Buyers decide to accept responsibility, so we do not have to pay for removal. However, the safe is forfeited, as movers failed to remove from property by 12 pm, and we are out 3000$.

Upon delivery of our items, we request resolution of our forfeited safe claim before paying the remainder of our bill, but Colonial would not unload our items if we did not pay. They also refused to remove the 800$ shuttle fee even though there was no shuttle. Since this happened, Colonial has received our receipt for the safe, showing what we paid, images of the damage to the safe, a signed statement from the buyers realtor stating what occurred, that we had to forfeit the safe and were lucky the buyers did not make us pay for removal or the additional two hours occupancy needed to remove our belongings post 10 am closing.

However, Colonial is saying they believe the moving men who are saying we sold the safe to the buyers. The moving men who subcontracted have incentive to say this as Colonial told us the settlement for the safe if there is one would come from the moving men’s pay. Colonial states due to this they will not reimburse us for our lost safe or offer any settlement. Please do not ever use this company!!! They are horrible, horrible people with no integrity. I hope this helps some people out there considering this company for a move to avoid financial losses similar to what we have incurred

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was moving from Indiana to Arlington, Virginia which was quite far. I called Colonial Van Lines and the reps sounded very friendly. They spoke with professionalism and confidence and they promised everything will be fine. They had good rates and the reps knew what was required. But the date exchanged frequently and they weren't able to find a truck. If I was a person who had a tight schedule, it wouldn't have worked but my dates were flexible, so it didn't affect me much. It took long but the customer service was excellent and they were on top of it. They answered my questions and called me right away. Also, there were only two movers and I was expecting at least three to make things go faster. But the movers were very nice and followed everything that I wanted. Still, I would recommend them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I was retiring and I was moving off Vegas because I was tired of that city. Colonial Van Lines sounded familiar and I could recall them from when I was a kid, so I picked them. I moved 800 miles and the coordinator was wonderful. I was worried but he turned out to be very good. The quotes were very accurate. The one taken on the initial service was a little bit off, but nothing I had to worry about. We packed everything except for a couple of things and the movers did. They came and moved it all. They were friendly, happy, put the stuff over downstairs and put it where we wanted. They were also careful. Colonial Van Lines should keep doing what they’re doing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: April 11, 2019

We enjoyed our experience with Colonial Van Lines. It was the cheapest option and the expectations set by the moving coordinator were very accurate. It was great dealing with her too. Mostly, we had everything packed already but they did pack a few last items and they did that properly. Everything went smoothly.

Original review: April 10, 2019

When I was moving, I looked on the internet and Colonial Van Lines had the right truck but they weren't the cheapest. Their moving coordinator gave me an estimate. Although I don't think they had some of the right equipment to move some of the stuff I had, they got it done. I had a good experience with them.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I liked the initial contact person at Colonial Van Lines as well as the price per pound and the services offered. The coordinator sounded very knowledgeable and he answered all my questions without complaint. I was moving from Florida to Colorado and the set up was good. Adjusting the box count and furniture list was easy. Also, the quote was spot-on. However, the crew that came to load us was awful and only one of them spoke English. So, communication was terrible. They scared me into thinking that they would be leaving things behind because he walked through the house saying, “Ma’am, can’t take.” He finally realized he was saying, “I can’t take this as it is.” Therefore, I had to purchase many more wardrobe boxes for them to put things into, which they did not pack well at all and the only damage I suffered was because of their packing.

I didn't notice some of it and how poorly it was done until I unpacked it here. Even at the end of the night, he upped the weight and charged me for boxes that I didn't want but had to buy because of how they wrapped things, even pieces of my furniture that I’ve never done anything but wrap a blanket around before because I have moved 18 times. It wasn’t my first rodeo and that crew caused a lot of stress to me. The biggest piece of damage was on an antique piece. One part of it had been broken before and I knew that but the way they packaged it broke it worse and there was no way to deal with that.

After I was packed and ready to go doing additional things, they spent seven hours to then get it up on the truck, and that surprised me greatly. Plus, the communication barrier was huge. On the other hand, the crew that unloaded me here was fast and courteous. They were fantastic and did anything and everything I said because I always know exactly where I want everything, and that went smoothly. That crew reinstated my faith in Colonial.

Original review: April 9, 2019

The sales department promised a pick up date between April 2-3 and we would get a a call 3-4 business days before and never got a call until less than 12 hours before the day. OK..then our delivery window was April 4-11. I was told when they would pick up we would know the delivery date at that time. (I ordered this 6 weeks before my move and interviewed several companies.) The sales person was great but no follow-through. She disappeared once problems occurred and I had to deal with a project manager and the supervisor as well as Right Movers who they subcontract with, They were very attentive in getting my 50% deposit but after-not at all. I guess Right Movers gets the other 50%. I am still waiting to hear when my stuff will arrive.

They use a sub contractor Right Movers who said this is typical of Colonial. My stuff, last I heard will be loaded on April 10 and we still don't know a delivery date. When I complained that they would never make the original window for delivery (April 4-11), I was told that was just an estimate. I guess by estimate they mean it's a crap shoot. I have literally called 20 times and keep getting the run around. I get a promise for returned calls and nothing. Everyone is always on the line with another customer (hard to believe since this has to be the worse company I have ever dealt with in my professional career.)

Now it will be loaded on a truck in Chicago but no idea when it will get to Florida. When pushed they said it could be 2 days, 3 days, 5 days, 10 days. Bottom line, it could be any of those. Trust me..pay a little more and don't go through this nightmare. They have no idea when anything will happen. This is the worst experience and worse service ever. Feel free to contact me for all the horrible details. Do not use them.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I did a Google search, Colonial Van Lines came up and I just looked at them. They contacted me and we went through everything. They gave me a quote. I was all right with it considering the move and what I had to work with. We set up the date and time, and they worked with me as far as scheduling. The communication and customer service were outstanding. The driver contacted me several times throughout their drive. Colonial Van Lines was great and I had no problems with them.

Original review: April 8, 2019

This is my review of Colonial Van Lines, at least up until this point. My items are yet to arrive, and given how well the past 3 weeks have gone I’ll be shocked if they’re all in one piece. Yes I am a real person. My husband and I were moving cross country from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Los Angeles...Not a small move. So we wanted to find someone rated highly and sounded reliable at a decent price. The reviews I had read for the most part seemed to make them sound like a good company to work with. To start, the application process and review of the procedure seemed to go fine. Our case manager was originally Nicholas, and he was friendly and seemed to explain the process and take our estimate. We were given Job Number ** for this move with a pickup date of March 20th 2019. Wonderful.

The morning of the 20th is the first time I found something questionable. The movers arrived right on time, earlier than I expected actually, which was great. However when I went downstairs I was not met with a Colonial Van Lines truck like I expected, I was met with a truck for “Affordable Moving”, a 3rd party. Not what I was expecting. I had done research on Colonial (apparently not well enough), not this group. Still they had forms and such for Colonial, so maybe they’re really them? There was a lot going on at the time and I was focused on getting the apartment empty, and besides what was I going to do, say “Nope” and be stuck with no one to move it? I had to vacate the apartment the next day, and they had Colonial forms, so I guess this is fine.

They came in, reviewed everything, raised my estimate by nearly $2000 in the process, which floored me. Based on my boxes and stuff they felt needed packed with their own packaging suddenly my weight was going to be way higher than originally anticipated. The weight as it turns out was not significantly higher, and outside of the extra packing that they did (which if I had known would be so much I would have packed the TVs and remaining unpacked items ahead of time) and at the last estimate it was closer to the original amount. After several hours the guys finally got everything out and away they went, and the next day off I went driving across the country to LA. This is when things fall into a black hole.

Sometime between the 27th and 29th as we had been asking for updates, we received a call that there was some sort of issue with the truck transporting our goods and things were temporarily held up. That is the last we heard from anyone at Colonial Van Lines until today, despite calls and emails, other than a call on 3/29 giving us our new final total bill. This person did not know anything about our shipment, just the amount due.

Our ending window to expect our goods of 4/7 came and went, so first thing on the 8th I sent a email to everyone I’ve had contact with asking where our stuff is and why have I gotten no communication on this in ages? This afternoon (4/8) I received a call from Monica (who was the 3rd or 4th out of 5 people I’ve worked with on this project) that our items had been held up in Florida for a while due to the truck, and just today they arrived…In NEW JERSEY. I was not previously aware that New Jersey was between Florida and California. I was so baffled at this I didn’t even think to ask for an explanation on how and why our items are in New Jersey. This was not part of the process explained to us. Apparently they don't take the goods directly to you, they take them somewhere else first. The goods are there, but as of yet no ETA of when they’ll start making their way to Los Angeles, and no ETA of when we’ll be receiving our goods at home.

I demanded an explanation and all I got back was the truck had a mechanical issue. I’m sorry, but that’s ridiculous and unacceptable. It’s now been nearly 3 full weeks since our items were picked up and our items are no closer to our home than they were the day they were picked up; actually, they are further away than when they started. The drive from Fort Lauderdale to LA was 2718 miles; the most direct line from New Jersey to LA is 2779 miles via Google Maps.

“Well how is your company going to make this right?” I was told they offer $30 for every day they miss their estimate. Oh ok…yeah, a couple hundred dollars for a crapload of inconvenience and items I was not planning on being without for more than 2 weeks…no big deal, call it a day! No, that is unacceptable and I refuse to pay any balance remaining for this company’s negligence and poor customer service. That at this point is the only thing that will make this right.

BEWARE - do NOT use this company. They outsource the job to smaller services, raise your estimates when they get there, then have poor communication and traceability of your inventory once they take possession. I will never use these people again and I urge everyone to avoid them at all costs. Sadly I have to give them 1 star because it’s required…otherwise they’d get nothing at all.

Original review: April 8, 2019

What would you think if you hired Colonial Van Lines, and "they" showed up a day late with a moving van from a different company you never heard of, with part of their phone number covered over? Scam? You bet!!! You may pay a lot of money to Colonial Van Lines, but that's not who's doing any of the work. Guys with seemingly zero experience in packing fragile items, maybe from the local temp agency will be doing the work. You better buy the full insurance because glass items will be wrapped in one sheet of paper or thrown loosely into a box. The estimator, also not a Colonial employee will underestimate the space needed, and then the van driver and his brother will offer you a side deal if you don't want a third of your household goods left behind or put into storage waiting for ransom! Unloading labor? There isn't any, even if the unloading will take 16 hours!

At least all the broken stuff doesn't need to come all the way in the house. Then guess what? You have to pay even more before the unloading can proceed, and Colonial will tell you what you should have paid after the unloading is halfway finished. Refund? You bet. They will promise to get it to you in a few days and a few more, and a FEW MORE - GO AHEAD AND WRITE YOUR REVIEWS AND REPORTING TO THE REGULATORY AGENCIES NOW! The money isn't coming. You'll do better hiring the truck and the labor yourself. That's all Colonial does while pocketing 40% of the money. If you call customer service about them hiring a truck that is too full to fit your stuff, they will tell you you must have went out and bought a lot more stuff after the estimate, or that they couldn't really see how much was there. Customer NO SERVICE. Be prepared to pay more and get less!!! DO NOT HIRE COLONIAL!!! Zero stars (minus 10 stars).

Original review: April 8, 2019

When we contacted Colonial Van Lines, I liked their approach. Additionally, the price was right so I stuck with them. They had an excellent moving coordinator. They also had a great crew of very friendly fellas who packed everything securely except for a skinny rowing boat that got damaged. It wasn't secured in the truck somehow. Still, I was more concerned about the furniture which came in five days later than the outside estimate. That wasn't much of an issue though and Colonial was very professional. All the people I dealt with were very courteous, helpful and efficient.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I needed to move about 1,700 miles for a job. I liked the Colonial Van Lines price and these guys were very communicative about everything. They were very professional and accurate with what they set. They packed my things and everything went as expected.

Original review: April 6, 2019

We've had a very good experience using Colonial Van Lines to move from New Jersey to Delaware. I've had experience in the household goods relocation business and boiled the choice down to a couple of companies that I was familiar with. And Colonial's customer service team seemed to be listening a little bit better than the other companies. Their moving coordinator was a really nice guy. And he was really good. We did the initial move coordination with him and talked about pricing. However, it wasn't a matter of price, but a matter of confidence that we were gonna have a good experience. Plus, we had a bit of an unusual move. The way that we got to Delaware included a ride on a ferry with the truck, which played a role in our decision. Colonial Van Lines was willing to do that, while a couple of the others were not.

We used an agent of Colonial out of Bethlehem, PA. The guys they put on the job, Brandon, the driver, and his helper, Mark, did a fabulous job. They came to the house in New Jersey and when they walked in, we were packed and ready to go. They moved a fair amount of furniture and not a mark on the walls coming out of the home. They got it all under the truck. We then drove down to the tip of Southern New Jersey, jumped on a ferry, went across, and delivered the furniture in Northern Delaware. Going into the Delaware home, there were little scratches here and there but well within expectations.

The whole move was great. Moving and relocating all that stuff was a stressful event and the guys made it as stress-free as it possibly could have been. They did a great job and have kept their promises. Our move was really more associated with eventually retiring in the next few years. We've got a few friends that are in the same situation and we've told them to give Colonial a shot.

Original review: April 5, 2019

The Colonial Van Lines customer service was superb across the board. Their moving coordinator was very professional but very friendly and not standoffish, not aggressive and not too abrupt. I spoke with Natasha the first time. She asked my situation, understood it and she gave me the facts. I told her not to keep calling me and that I knew I had to move and that I was just not sure when. I also said that I was just estimating the cost for my company to understand.

Natasha understood and asked me when she should call back. I told her in two weeks and she did that and it was great. Her professionalism felt familiar and I appreciate having a background, understanding a move, and personal and emotional. She wasn't pushy like the price would increase to $1,000 if I don't come up with a decision. She told me about some risks if I couldn't tell them four days before, but they understood our situation. During the delivery, the guy went from Atlanta to Orlando and had traffic so that was a little delayed. But I like the fact that they sent the same guys to help me pack and that totally made up for the time lost so it was fairly accurate.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Everyone I worked with was helpful and did what they said they would do. Dixie Movers were the subcontractors that did the move. They were professional and courteous. All my belongings were handled with care. Nothing was broken and everything was delivered when promised. Highly recommend. Would definitely use again.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I needed to move to a secondary home and used Colonial Van Lines for its cost. They were very good on the front end but once they got my money and the truck came, things were not so easy to get ahold of them. Colonial told me that I could call anytime but when I called their weekend number, the voicemail is full, so I can't even leave a message.

I had specifically stated that there was no way they'd get a truck down our driveway at our new location yet they sent an 18-wheeler to pick my furniture up after telling them numerous times that it was not gonna work. I went with Colonial because they said that they were gonna send a small truck. Fortunately, the actual mover himself was very nice about it and he said that he lives in the town that I was moving to and that he has a truck and a trailer and he could transfer everything over and push it down for me. In the end, Colonial got my furniture where it needed it to be and that was what mattered.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I had cheaper quotes that gave me a guaranteed date for delivery. I read reviews and thought Colonial was going to give a much more positive experience. I was told at pickup that the truck would arrive on Monday, 3 3 days after pickup going from Central states to East Coast. I asked the driver if it would be possible to move it to Tuesday. He told me he was only going halfway and turning his truck over to another driver coming from the east and he would relay the message. I was told by Colonial that the delivery would be able to be arranged at pickup.

I got a call on Saturday saying that it wouldn't be Monday or Tuesday but the next Friday. I took my time going. Instead of making it a normal 2 day trip I took an extra day and made it 3 days. When the finance department called and asked if I had been told the new amount for delivery I said I was and that the delivery had been pushed out an extra 3 days. Since I can't give a zero for the experience I have to go with a 1. It was terrible, if you are going to have another company do the work then tell people so they can make other arrangements. I would never, NEVER use this company again.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I felt led by God to go forward with Colonial Van Lines. We moved from California to Colorado --for about 1,200 miles-- and our weight came in under the minimum of 6,500 pounds. The head of the team, Drexel, was excellent, always available to me, and always supportive. He answered all my questions even though I called lots of times. It had been passed on to Christopher, and he made sure that I estimated enough boxes so that I wouldn’t be having to pay extra at the end of the trip. So, that was helpful. The customer service person Cherry was very helpful as well.

I, however, wasn’t anticipating that there would be another trucking agency that would be actually doing the delivery, who worked with Colonial. Still, those who picked up the delivery from that company were excellent and went the extra work to protect some of my more valuable items, like antique bed set, the painting, etc. They just went the extra care and were very personable, engaging, and professional. Those who delivered, though, I was not happy with them. They seemed very much in a hurry, would bring in boxes to the garage, and didn’t pay attention to whether the boxes were right side up or not. I think they were a crew that wasn't accustomed to working together, so that was just disconcerting.

I've also contacted with Cherry and they're rectifying that situation. They left a wardrobe-size box of garbage from their truck, food scrap, water bottles, drinking bottles, fast food stuff that had nothing to do with my move. I had to discard of those over the course of a couple of weeks. So, I bagged up five bags or so of trash from that. They are reimbursing a $50 check for that inconvenience on my part.

Resolution response: April 16, 2019

CVL did eventually give us some money back and paid the per diem that we owed the buyers for being in the house 3 days past closing. The refunded money was not worth the added stress.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Colonial Van Lines has been a nightmare to work with. They wrote in our contract a 3 day window that they would be there to pack and load and be finished the day before closing. They also quoted us at 14000. When they called to confirm everything they increased the quote to 16000 pounds. They informed us that they could not remove the additional items. There were an additional 80 boxes added to the inventory with no new contract ever sent to us. They then called us and said they couldn’t get movers to us until the day of closing.

They informed us that they would be able to get it done same day which is logistically not possible. The movers were supposed to be there between 7 and 9 am. We were called around 11 the day of closing and informed the truck broke down. This entire time I had been having a conversation with a supposed supervisor named Leon. I asked Leon to send me proof that the truck broke down. He emailed me a handwritten invoice with the wrong date on it. I promptly called the company on the invoice and they informed me that they provided no such service to a truck that morning. They didn’t get a truck to us until 6 pm the night of closing.

They worked until 10 and left. They didn’t come back until 4 pm the day after closing and two days after closing they still have not shown back up. Leon had “promised” the entire week prior to our move date that he was working to get someone there on time. We talked with the movers that showed up and they were free all week. No one reached out to them for the job until it was already two days late. They are also full of threats. I was told by Leon since CVL was in breach of their contract and if I continued to push this he would just refund our deposit and cancel the order forcing us to line up new movers same day. They are unwilling to make anything right and are forcing us to arbitration to recover the losses we incurred by staying in the house beyond closing.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Colonial Van Lines was the only one that would help me without giving me the runaround. Nicholas, the coordinator who helped me was awesome. Because our situation was so different, he was the only one who really sat down with me and was able to give me information over the phone without a whole lot of rigmarole. My move took two moving trucks over about 227 miles. Their services were thoroughly accurate. My quote was about $3,000 off, but that was not completely unexpected because we had so much stuff that was just not accounted for. The account manager, too, was fine. The drivers were efficient and they knew what they were doing. They had a system, they stuck with it, and they had a plan. We have got a five-bedroom house with two living rooms and I had boxes everywhere. They were unloaded and bedrooms set up in less than five hours. Everything was fantastic. I would definitely use them again.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I was coordinating a move from Florida up to Massachusetts while living in a third state and a lot of the companies, they made you do an onsite at the pickup location and I just didn’t have the ability to do that because I was out-of-state. Colonial Van Lines was able to provide me with an estimate over the phone based on what I was moving and a lot of these other companies, they just didn’t have that as an option. The guy that helped me in the process called me up and we started out with the estimate fees, then they were able to kind me some pricing. Once I had the pricing information, I was able to make a decision and then it was just a matter of securing the date.

They worked with a second company that handled the actual move, but the coordination seemed to be okay. Except that there was a confusion with the quote because there was some misalignment with their quote and the third party’s quote. It was a pretty big difference in the quoting prices. They do everything based on weight, not volume. So, once they weigh the truck and got the actual weight of my belongings, the numbers were actually less than the original quote that Colonial gave me. So, it ended up working out. It was a good experience, overall. My stuff arrived and they were well within their windows of the dates they planned for pickup and the dates they planned for drop-off. It took 3 weeks from the first contact to the time my stuff got delivered and it matched the timeline that I was on for moving, so it works out well.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I moved my three-bedroom house to my parents' house one and a half hour's drive away. I took a travel job and all my stuff got integrated into my parents’ house. Colonial Van Lines' moving coordinator called and was able to give me a pretty good estimate on the cost, which was pretty close. Plus, they gave me a topped out rate. They did it by weight, not by space. We went room by room and he asked me to tell him what I had in each room.

The account manager was awesome. She made sure that the driver came and that everything was on time. We had a slight snafu, but she made sure that everything still went smoothly. It was supposed to be a same-day delivery, but by the time everything got packed up and driven into town, it was so late. They still would've delivered the same day, but we asked if they could deliver it in the morning. My father is ill and we didn't want the delivery to run too late so that he could sleep. They were very polite and accommodating with that. They were able to deliver my things first thing the next morning. Everything was wrapped up wonderfully and nothing broke, which has not always happened in the past.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Hi All. Trust me, this story is worth reading! I’ll be pursuing legal recourse and have wasted DAYS of my time. Run, don’t walk away from this company. The money you might “save” is just not worth it. I have no reason to write this except that I think the people should know what they are truly getting into when using COLONIAL VAN LINES and the third party vendors with ‘F’ BBB ratings that they sub-contract.

Summary: Fake, low-ball quotes until they get to your home and then tell you it will be double the weight (I stupidly tipped them off that I had recently moved and had documented proof of total weight of goods, otherwise, I think they would have tried to scam me further) took several days for them to get the weight amount to me, ticky tacky flat rate charges added after estimate, non-responsive “customer service”, sketchy bait and switch (colonial has A BBB rating, and the 3P they sent has ‘F’ BBB rating).

I was assured they weren’t a company that sub-contracts by the sales woman , single-man (the semi driver alone!) moving crew showing up days late for pick up causing missed flight, and in pitch black 10PM for delivery (4 days earlier than colonial rep communicated), 3P contracted who was unprofessional, aggressive, and tried to scam me, police involvement due to aggressive behavior and the fact that the driver took a picture of my license and credit card, only to return 5 minutes later to tell me that he had to take cash or cashier’s check “because the dispatch wasn’t available that evening”.

Miraculously, he was able to process my card once the police showed up (red flags, anyone?). Items wreak of smoke as the driver was smoking as he unloaded on occasion. He refused to put the items he disassembled upon pick up back together, and we can’t find the parts now… (even if he WAS willing to he couldn’t as he was his own 1-man crew and it was already ~10PM!) Missing several items, boxes/ furniture damaged - because, again, due to the fact that the police had to be called because of his aggressive/shady behavior, I locked myself in the van and asked that he call out the inventory numbers as he was delivering the items into the dark storage unit- to which he replied “was not his job”.

So, I wasn’t even able to check my items until the next day in the light. Feel free to message me for additional proof of this company’s unprofessional behavior and shady business practices. I’m making sure there isn’t any legal issues with posting the videos to social media I took of the driver throwing my stuff around during delivery in the dark of night. I also have a police report upon request. Leon ** tried to threaten me saying I was extorting the company because I wanted my money back for all the issues mentioned above. He basically was telling me it was illegal and I’d get in trouble. This is wrong! I should be able to voice my concerns through all channels to ensure other customers don’t get ripped off.

Kenya, the account manager, was rude, unhelpful, and at times laughed at me on the phone. The entire staff at Colonial would literally ignore my phone calls, and all managers would coincidentally be “out of office” when I called. The end game for them was for Leon to offer me $500 in remunerations for all of the issues. To be clear, the table alone that is now worthless, is worth more than $500, Leon. I will be filing a small claims suit against this company. The amount I’m suing for will be include time lost, undue stress from aggressive/violent subcontractors, plane ticket rebook fees, missing items, and of course the entire payment made, given the level of service was atrocious. Please, folks. Don’t do this to yourself. Choose ANY other company.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I liked the respect I was treated with when I called Colonial Van Lines about getting a quote. I was moving a three-bedroom house from Southwest Missouri to Southern Oklahoma. When I spoke with my moving coordinator, he was very informative and professional. I sent him some other quotes. Somebody came out and went through the house, and inventoried what we had. And my moving coordinator adjusted his quote to what that gentleman had inventoried. He also kept in touch with me along the way, and he seemed to be there always if I had any questions. The guys that came in and moved us were also very easy to work with, very nice, and very respectful of our property. Altogether, it was a good experience.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I moved from one state to another and I needed a moving company. I read reviews and I ended up going with Colonial Van Lines. They were very accurate and the moving coordinator was very helpful. Their movers were also very polite and kind. I got anything that I asked for and it was a very stress-less experience.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I looked up moving companies and Colonial Van Lines took care of me. The lady who coordinated the move knew that people get a little stressed because I had to leave my vehicle in New Mexico but she stayed with me daily right up to it when it was taken care of. She got back to me, so I knew when it was gonna arrive and everything in particular. Also, the driver was good. Although I wasn't told upfront that Colonial might not be able to get somebody right away, they got it done. It took a while to find somebody that was making the run but they got my car moved 2,000 miles from New Mexico to New York. They came through, so it was all good by the end.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I moved cross-country from New York to a retirement home in California and I used Colonial Van Lines. I looked into about 5 companies but I went with Colonial because when I called, they were very clear about their policy and they answered all my questions to my satisfaction. I had some statues that were very special to me as well as very delicate antique items and memorabilia that came from my mother and grandmother. I was very concerned that they would be very carefully moved.

Colonials reps came when they said they would be coming and everything went well in terms of that. The movers were fantastic, incredibly nice, helpful, and patient. I was very impressed with them. And I really needed their help. I packed boxes but I wasn’t as prepared as I should have been. Still, they made up for it and were super about it. But the delivery was held up because of the storm and there was a problem with the communication. Despite that, I would highly recommend Colonial Van Lines. It was a very big move but the people who moved me were the best at what they did.

Original review: March 25, 2019

The salesman from Colonial Van Lines was knowledgeable and the movers were very nice gentlemen. However, I wasn't impressed that the pickup window was between 1:00 to 5:00 and I was contacted at 2:30 by the movers. They were still 100 miles away from me so they didn’t get there until 4:30 and that was inappropriate. I didn’t have anything to do because I was moving out and I hadn’t been living there. I was there until 8 o’clock at night. In addition to that, an outdoor table was broken and they said it was broken when they picked it up. I did not notice it but I found out that one of my boxes went to Delaware, Virginia. I talked to the person there but I didn’t get it back. Other than that, the people who assisted me during the move were very attentive. The delivery was fine and they did a good job.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information