Get a Quote

Margate, FL

4.3/5 (287 ratings)
Get a Quote

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

Verified

… They just hustled. There wasn't a thing damaged and nothing was lost. My family moved from California to Massachusetts to Houston, Texas. We're familiar with movers and they wer...

Verified

… The coordinator was thorough. Things changed once we got stuff loaded and reweighed, but there was constant communication. If anything changed, it was easy to call them and fix ...

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. The company is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, it has the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
    • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
    • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
    • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines' relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
    Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
    Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
    Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines costs

Colonial Van Lines pricing depends on your location and the weight of your belongings. Movers charge additional fees for express delivery, additional moving insurance and storage. Expect to pay more if the movers have to park more than 75 feet from your doorway or if they have to navigate stairs. One reviewer paid approximately $7,000 to move a two-bedroom from Los Angeles to Phoenix in 2020.

Colonial Van Lines now offers a free in-home moving services app to help. You can upload pictures and videos of your household goods and request special services through your phone, and a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides a quote. You can also order packing materials and access moving tips and checklists through the app.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
    Many Colonial Van Lines complaints are left by customers who were annoyed that their estimate was lower than what they actually ended up paying. In some cases, initial estimates were more than $1,000 off. Colonial Van Lines’ pricing can fluctuate from the original quote for a variety of reasons:
    • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could account for a change in the final cost of a move.
    • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and, therefore, the cost of moving.
    • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than they initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for the labor.
    • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to charge extra when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet or if they have to climb stairs.
    How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?
    You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with the company. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straightforward:
    1. Request information by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
    2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, the date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
    3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobile app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
    4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust any aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
    Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
    It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues.
    Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
    Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. Keep in mind, however, that it may be more difficult to make a claim against Colonial Van Lines for a damaged valuable if you packed it yourself.
    What is the Colonial Cubes moving container service?
    Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for both do-it-yourself and full-service packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,500 pounds.

Colonial Cubes can be a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Chicago
    • Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
    • Garner, N.C.
    • Killeen, Texas
    • Los Angeles
    • Sacramento, Calif.
    • Seattle
    • Wyckoff, N.J.

Is Colonial Van Lines a good moving company?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, it can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. The family-owned company has over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry. The business claims to facilitate 12,000 moves each year. Overall, most of the company’s reviews and ratings are positive.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I liked Colonial's price per pound. They were accurate. All I had to do was pack my boxes and someone would pick them up for me, and then they described what services they can provide in terms of additional packing. Whatever I named, they had an answer for it. So, if I had to have picture frames packed, they prepared for that, or if there were appliances involved, they were prepared for that. It was basic. You can tell that when you ship with Colonial, there is not a lot of overhead, and they do less than truckload brokerage. What I had is an entire truck to myself and I had three people working to cart myself out of the house. All that for $1 a pound, and they were at the destination within three days of departure. That is like FedEx-ing your stuff.

One thing where people get confused or have after-moving complaints is that their estimate of weight is off. What I did was, because of COVID, I cheated a bit. I had a North American Van guy come out and do a weight estimate because those still do in-person estimates. Then, I took his labor and work and then supplied that bid to Colonial. That is because they came in at a different price because they don't offer in-person weight estimates. So, as a consumer, you look at your refrigerator and you know it's heavy, but you have no idea if it's 300 or 550 pounds. The weight estimate is what is key. And I've looked at people complain about Colonial is that because after their stuff was dropped off, the truck is weighed in route, and then they get an accurate assessment of what they are actually going to be charged for shipment. So, if there was a way that they could supply consumers an accurate way to estimate weights.

If consumers are going to move appliances, stove is this, washer is that, dryer is that, movers should have an idea. And then, that way, the person can plug and play and go, "Okay, this is what my calculated weight is, and I'm going to use all medium boxes from Home Depot." Then, it's incumbent upon them to come up with a standard weight of what they are going to sew into each box, and then multiply that by a number of boxes, and then they would have a formatted way to say, "I'm going to have a weight within 15%." So, when the Colonial driver shows up and says, "Okay, this is your final bill," they are not surprised. There was one person, I read their complaint where they were 4,500 pounds off. I could easily have done that. I could have lowballed my weight by 2,500 pounds and go, "Wow, I'm surprised," because you don't know until they finally get there. But I used that North American Van Lines estimate.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

The first time that the coordinator was supposed to call, she didn't. The next time I talked to her, the news was better than I thought in terms of when stuff was gonna arrive, which was very pleasing. They told me that the arrival time could be upwards to two weeks and it only took five days, which was great. But I was not satisfied with the initial pickup.

The actual day that the stuff was picked up from my storage unit was a bit iffy. The driver said he'd be there in half an hour and it was two hours since I had to have somebody else be there because I had to be in my other state at the house closing. If he had told me it was going to be two hours, then I wouldn't have sent the guy over as early as I had. My friend had to sit for an hour and a half with nobody arriving. If you're gonna be late, then say you're gonna be late, as opposed to “We’re gonna be there on time,” and not be. With the arrival of the actual truck at the house, they called and said they'd be there in 45 minutes and they were here in that amount of time. So the back end of that was fine.

I lost some items but I didn't feel I could put in a claim form because I wasn't there to be sure that they got loaded up. So that was a bit disappointing. There was a box of kitchen stuff that can be replaced, but there were a couple art pieces that can't be replaced. The move cost a whole lot more than I thought, because of the amount of packaging that they felt they needed to do. When I packed everything away into my storage unit, I wasn't assuming it was gonna go directly onto a truck. So I knew there were things that they were going to feel the need to put into additional boxes and what they put into extra packages meant that all arrived corralled. I would start with Colonial again if I were to move again because I know that they respond. That was a big thing because I had a list and I kept calling phone numbers and I got machines and I got people who didn't return messages. Colonial picked up the damn phone. It's almost that simple.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Colonial Van Lines fit into my schedule because it was kind of short notice and they were the only ones that were willing to come on such short notice. Their service was awesome. I'm prior military so I've done a lot of moves. I'm normally very skeptical of companies because after I got out, I had some kind of bad moves with some companies, so I was really skeptical with this company just the same way. However, when I put in for the quote and they gave me the quote back, I had somebody call me. I had somebody email me to make sure everything was okay. Then that person went over all the products and all the goods that I had in the house. They made suggestions as to what they could do and what they can't do. Then they told me, "Hey, we'll follow up with you on this and this day." I didn't get a follow-up call like two days ahead of the pick-up date so I was kinda worried.

However, on the day before the pick-up, I did get a call back. They assured me, "Hey, the driver is gonna be here. We spoke to him. He might be a little late coming in because he's in Arizona. He's coming to Arizona, and he said something about the COVID. They were stopping them a little longer,” which was fine. So, I was happy about that. The driver was able to get through whatever the process was way earlier than the time. He did call me. He said, "Hey, is it okay if I come now? We're here. You know, they let us through. If not, I could go sit at the rest stop and wait for the time." I told him he could come.

He came and got all the stuff packed in less than an hour. I was telling him I had to be on the road. I was driving from Arizona to Florida, which is a long drive. When he came to pick up my stuff, I still was like, "This is just too good to be true." I envisioned something to happen. That was my thought process the whole time. I did tell the driver, "Look, I don't know when you're gonna get to Florida, but I want to stop a couple of days in Texas by my family." He said, "Hey, no problem." He's got to go somewhere. He's got to make some other pick-ups. He was like, "I'll call you and I'll let you know when I'm bringing your stuff.” He did call me. One thing that I had told him was I was gonna drop the stuff off at the house. When he called me, I said, “I’m sorry. The stuff was supposed to be dropped off at my storage, which is close to the house.” He said, “Hey, no problem, ma’am. Can I get them at the storage.”

When he dropped off my stuff, he even helped me repack my storage because my daughter and I were just throwing crap in there. He actually fixed the stuff. They quoted me the price and I paid the one half and then I had to pay the other half at drop-off. When I went to pay, he told me that what I had was way less. So it went down. He said that it was less so I paid less. To me, it was a good experience. I was happy. When I spoke to the people at Colonial, I asked, “Who are you? I need to understand.” And they were telling me and explained to me they’re not a broker. They are the company and they have all these different sections. The person who I made the reservation with turned me over to the person who was responsible for the truck guy. And then I also had a person who was responsible for the entire move. So, I had people to contact.

Original review: July 4, 2020

We sold our house in New Jersey and moved to Florida. We moved part of our stuff to Mississippi then part of our stuff down to Florida. We did that ourselves. I went on ConsumerAffairs and Colonial was listed in the top five. At first, the prior estimate they gave was a little low. They really need to have somebody come out and do the estimate, instead of trying to do it over the phone. It's because their ability to be able to see something and have it transferred into weight is a little difficult. I had somebody come out and do that then I forwarded that to Colonial. They partially used that information but the quote still came out more. Colonial is trying to do something different where the industry normally has somebody come out and do a visual. They're usually within maybe $500 difference but this one was way different. This was thousands of dollars difference.

The people who assisted during the move were pretty good. They called me to let me know when the driver was gonna be in the area. I gave the number to the driver to make sure that he called me and I got his number to make sure that I was in place for him to come out and deliver. The coordination was pretty good. And at the time of pickup and delivery, we were prepared.

The load crew who came out and packed were excellent. They were very fast. But whoever did the estimate on the boxes, underestimated the boxes on the wardrobes so they had to improvise. They didn't have enough of the metal bars. They had to run a piece of tape back and forth to create a bar. And whatever they had for wardrobe, they just folded it up and put in a box. We were kind of a little disappointed with that especially my wife was since it was mostly her clothes that got done that way.

But the estimate on the wardrobe boxes was the only thing that I felt that was not done well. I gave them their competitor's quote when they came out. I also told them over the phone, "Here's what they estimated." They might have underestimated the wardrobes. If they had visually looked at it, they probably would have said, "Yeah, I probably need about this many," because those guys are pretty well on target. You usually do 10% or 15% more. They'll bring maybe three or four extra boxes just in case.

Otherwise, I'd most definitely recommend Colonial. I would've used them for my son. He moved a month or two before us and I used Purple Heart movers. It was the most horrible experience of my life and my son's life. The movers dropped and broke stuff. They also lost stuff. No wonder they never came back to ask me for recommendations because they knew they would get a bad one. They were horrible. I don't know who Purple Heart contracted out to do the move, but they were the worst. They were also trying to extort money out of my son because of the flights of stairs. Colonial, on the other hand, did such a good job.

Original review: April 13, 2020

It didn’t go too bad with Colonial. I initially put out some requests for quotes, and I got a lot of different companies coming back, like some of the majors, Allied, and then some fly-by-night brokers. After talking to some of the different people in the business, the old saying, “If it's too good to be true…” was very evident in this situation. After evaluating the quotes that I got, Allied was very high. They were in the 20,000+ range. The smaller guys, once I started reading the fine print on their contracts, had all kinds of hidden charges. Their $4,000 quote would have probably quickly turn into $10,000 to $15,000.

It fell in between the little guys that were gonna bump up your amount and then the big guys whose quotes were around 7,000 or 8,000. But Colonial’s contract was pretty solid. They weren’t playing any of the games. They indicate steps, but it's a standard in the industry. They were upfront about everything. I didn’t get any hidden costs and when I got the quote, it seemed pretty fair, in line with what I was getting. Colonial did the initial inventory over the phone. When a guy came out, the amount of stuff we had was far more than what they surmised over the phone. The whole thing went up about $2,000.

The other thing that was important was that they only charge by weight. The other scammers, what they do is they charge by square footage in the truck. You're at their mercy to whatever they'll say what you fill the truck up with. If they quote you at one price, they can say, “We quoted at this amount per square-footage of the truck, but you actually took up this amount of square footage. Instead of 7,000, you owe us 20,000.” And you really don’t have any way to prove it. With Colonial, you're only getting charged for whatever the weight is, so there's no way to scam you that way because they don’t have any say-so over the weigh station.

There was a couple of times that I had to contact them for things but they were pretty on top of staying in touch with me through the whole thing. They were accurate on what they said and what unfolded and actually happened. There were no big surprises. All in all, they seemed pretty solid as a company. The only area I would say that needs to be improved is they aren’t jumping through hoops to help me resolve my damage issue, which I'm waiting for all of this to play out. That was a little bit disheartening. They damaged our hardwood floors and some other things. They were demanding two written estimates to fix the floor in order to send me money to hire somebody. I was having a real hard time getting anybody to come out to the house. Unfortunately, it fell on this whole virus thing and everything shut down, so I’m stuck. I'm just hoping that they don’t say, “You take too long. We're not gonna give you anything now.”

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Everybody at Colonial was good. We had a mirror, and everything was in good shape.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you Christy! Let us know if you need anything!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

They farm out to other companies - I specifically asked if it would be a piggyback move and if they handled me from start to finish. Lied to - realize they pay for that rating. I had a piece that needed to be crated and the gentleman who came to do the crating explained how they received their ratings. You get switched from representative to representative to give you the impression they have a large team in each division working with you. I had damages which I had asked several times for a weighing so I knew if there was a need for insurance - no one could give me a weight. This is not legal - you are supposed to be able to have a weight provided.

I purchased the insurance - I advised that I had damages and was referred back to movers - the movers never responded to my request. I ate probably between the cost of damages and a insurance policy that failed to cover and said I first had to deal with movers about $700 - be careful who you entrust your belongings - asked that a clause is put into your contract that there will be no farming out to another company. Movers refused to wear masks during COVID upon delivery - pick up they wore - was told from the start of our conversation that a 16 or 28 wheeler could not come on on the property - fined by association. Would not recommend it!

Mrs. Hickey,

Thank you for working with us in the Resolutions Department. As always you may reach our Resolutions Manager Donna at her direct number 954.958.2253

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I felt taken care of from initial call through conclusion, with just a couple of minor communication glitches. The team was attentive and the pricing was clear and I felt confident in the company. I would use Colonial again and recommend it.

Colonial Van Lines response

We're happy you trusted us with your move! If we can ever help in the future please reach out to us!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Anne was great. All of the customer service was great. The only issue that we came into conflict with was regarding the payment. The church that I worked for had pre-arranged to pay all of the expenses. Colonial Van Lines tends to contract out to other smaller moving companies, and it was not communicated to the driver of the smaller moving company who actually was doing the moving that this was the arrangement. And I ended up having to put everything on my debit card. That was the day of the move so the day that the movers arrived here, they told me I would not get my stuff unless I pay them.

Thankfully, I had what was needed within the account, but going forward, if that payment could have been worked out prior and not have been something that I had to deal with on the day of the move-in, that would have made the whole experience 100% perfect. And it's the only blemish on the entire thing. Then the estimate that I was given for the actual move itself was off by about a day, but I'm not gonna split hairs.

Colonial Van Lines response

What a great review. Please reach out if we can help with anything!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I was looking for a moving service and Colonial called me afterwards. They made it a little bit easier taking care of everything. The rep was very good and everything went well. I was a little nervous when the guys were taking down the boxes but everything turned out perfectly fine. I have to move around for work every six months. Once I’m done here, I might be doing just a U-Haul because I'm going back to South Dakota from Pennsylvania and it's a little bit longer, so it might be a little too pricey. But if I was moving anywhere about five hours away, I'd probably use Colonial again.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information