Call toll free

Call toll free
Get a Free Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.94/5
Visit Website

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Colonial Van Lines provides long-distance moving services across the continental U.S. Movers specialize in quick, efficient corporate and residential relocations. They offer competitive pricing and require a deposit.

PROS

• Easy booking process
  • Nationwide services
  • Free, instant quotes

CONS

• Deposit required

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

...They did a really good job in handling my items and I was impressed. Overall, it was an excellent experience with Colonial. They made a tense moment for me very comfortable. I already recommended them to family and friends.

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Everyone I worked with was helpful and did what they said they would do. Dixie Movers were the subcontractors that did the move. They were professional and courteous. All my belongings were handled with care... Highly recommend. Would definitely use again.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, they have the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
  • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
  • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
  • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?

You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with them to be sure you’re getting the best price. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straight-forward and simple:

1. Request cross-country moving services by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
  2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
  3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobiles app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
  4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust some aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
What is the Colonial Van Lines app?
Colonial Van Lines’ free in-home moving services app makes it easy to get accurate moving cost estimates. You simply upload videos and pictures of your household goods through your phone, and then a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides your personalized moving consultation. You can also order packing materials and access educational resources about moving through the app.
Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues. It’s more difficult to move during certain times of the year in some locations, so this can increase your overall moving price too.
Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. However, Colonial Van Lines will not be liable for items that you pack yourself. If you choose to pack valuable items yourself, you might consider extra insurance for those belongings.
Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
Some Colonial Van Lines complaints reflect discrepancies between price estimates and total charges. All moving brokers and carriers pricing can fluctuate from the original quote or estimate to final delivery for a variety of reasons:
  • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could also account for a discrepancy.
  • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and therefore the cost of moving.
  • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for their labor.
  • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to upcharge when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet. If this charge is factored into the in-house estimate and the movers later determine that they can shorten this distance, your overall price will decrease.

Do we recommend Colonial Van Lines?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, they can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. Most Colonial Van Lines moving reviews are positive. Over 70 percent of verified customers within the last year said they were happy or satisfied with their experience or would recommend Colonial Van Lines to a friend.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I needed to move one piece of antique furniture from Florida to Pennsylvania. I contacted one moving company that was a whole lot less expensive and then I thought that it was not a good way to go about it. I can't just look at it from how much it's gonna cost. I looked up the company online and they broke everything in the truck. And the timing was all bad and they didn't do things right. And then, I went online and searched what would be the highest recommended company and it came up with Colonial Van Lines. Nicolas, my contact person, was very confident and was very easy to understand. I was just moving one piece of furniture and he had to read through a lot of different things about packing up a whole house. It was a little bit amusing because this was a very different situation than what they would normally do.

The delivery went very well. One of the problems that I noticed when I looked at different things about the company online was that all the people that I talked with within the company were very specific about what customer expectation should be, and it seemed to me that a lot of the negative comments about the company were people who were given the same information, but they chose not to accept it. I was very clearly given a pick-up date range of 7 to 10 days, with notification, 24 to 48 hours prior to the actual pick-up. And there were some people that wrote things like, "I had to move on October 14, and they didn't show up." But that was not how they explained things to me.

For the delivery time, they took the dates of the actual pick-up, plus about 7 business days. So, it was a big time span that we had. I was impressed because they came and picked up as scheduled. And that was when there was a big snowstorm coming through in the northeast area and they missed their first delivery day. But the second one, they called and made contact with the people, and they were able to comply with that. They were very consistent about staying in touch with me and with the people who were receiving the desk in Pittsburgh. Everything was fine.

It was surprising to see that people were saying things like they had to have a pick-up on a specific date and a delivery on a specific date. And then, they were all mad and upset because their expectations weren't met, when the company didn't give them false expectations to begin with. People get something in their minds that they are determined that things are gonna happen exactly the way they want them to. And even as the company explained things to people in detail, they didn't know because their preconceived notions were already set that they were not able to accept this other thing is right.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Colonial Van Lines' sales rep was informative and responsive. The one who assisted me through the move walked me through pretty clearly how they would charge me and the differences of how they charge versus other movers. The rate they charged me was accurate. The guy was also easy to talk with. We had to go back and forth but he was responsive. Also, Colonial fit into my schedule. The time schedule got a little tight though. He had to get some information to me and he did. There was one slight delay but it all worked out fine. I wound up moving when I needed to move. Overall, he did a good job.

There were a couple of minor issues but nothing to the extent that I would not use Colonial again. With the hiccups we encountered, some were handled better than others. Aside from the sales rep, I also talked with two other people throughout the process. They were trying to get me into a timeslot that was kind of near date. Based on what I told them that we were moving and all the packages, we went through that several times. The guy was very patient with me in doing that.

They charged me a little bit extra - the minimum weight. I was just under that weight though. But they said they would charge me 4,000 pounds because to get onto the truck at this date, that was kinda what they needed to do. I said it was fine. It wasn't a big deal. But they couldn't make the date and they pushed it back two days. At the end of the day, it didn't make a difference. But I was looking for a little recovery on that cost. They doubled the price but they didn't come in on the date they said. I asked that they charge me for what I have but they didn't do that. The sales rep couldn't get that accomplished. I talked to somebody in customer service and that conversation started off a little cranky because they were confirming if the movers came and if I was talking about a different date. I was like, "What are you talking about? We had this date."

It was a little bit of a date issue. Everybody I dealt with was trying to be helpful. My big thing was they charged me for 4,000 pounds when I had 3,000 something pounds. They charged me for a very particular date range and it was two days past that when the movers came. But they explained to me that it was near a holiday and it was the same truck. It was just delayed. I went with it. The movers came within the ultimate window I needed them to come. They also did a really good job so it wasn't a bad experience.

The only person that didn't really do a great job was the woman who had the title of account manager. I was not quite sure when the movers were coming. The logistics person who I was talking to left off saying he would do his best and promised that they would be there by Sunday even though I requested Friday. That was when we last talked. I was supposed to get a call from the account manager 48 hours before the truck came. I never got that call. Process-wise, that's where the improvement should be.

This account manager was a little MIA at times. After the move, she called me about the move as if it didn't happen yet. She didn't have an update or she didn't have the right paperwork. Maybe she was new and she was just making mistakes. But she called me twice after my move to ask me about the prep for the anticipated move. I told her that it's been almost a week later. I had already moved. They came and I was done. That part was the weakest link.

Those two little hiccups aside, I would recommend Colonial. Overall, it was a positive experience. Moving is really difficult, emotional and physically draining. But everything came. Different moving teams came to my home because they do a little handoff. It was a different team that delivered my stuff and when I arrived at my new location. But both teams were super fantastic, especially the guy that came and picked my stuff up. They did a tremendous job. They marked everything and numbered everything. They wrapped things that needed to be wrapped. They really took care of what needed to be taken care of that I didn't have ready. And they didn't charge me a lot. There were no extra charges too.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Richard, Thank you for the positive feedback.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I was moving from Illinois to Arizona and I received three bids from three different moving companies. One came out and did a walk-through, but I didn't like the way they acted and their price was twice as much as Colonial Van Lines. I even thought that they were just trying to price it out too high but they really didn’t want the job. The other company that I talked to didn’t follow up on any questions and they offered half the price of what Colonial did. But I figured since they really weren’t giving me much attention, they didn’t want my business either. On the other hand, Colonial, they made several attempts to get in touch with me by email and by calling, so I knew that there was interest there. I also checked with the Better Business Bureau and they had an A+ rating. So, that made me decide to go with Colonial.

The rep I dealt with was very good then there was a lady who took over after the initial scheduling and she walked me through all of the moving transactions. But I was concerned about the day before the move. I was told that I would have a 48-hour call but I only had a 12-hour call as to when they were gonna pick up. And it was after hours of the company so I couldn’t call them to verify. When they came the next morning at 8 o’clock my time, I tried to contact the moving company but they were in Florida and nobody was at their desk until 10 o’clock. I could not verify that this person was actually my mover because he didn’t have a truck that said the van line’s name on it.

Finally, I got a hold of somebody who told them his name and they said that was him. I asked him for his driver’s license but it did not match the name he gave them and I was a little bit concerned about this. So, I spoke to an associate at Colonial Van Lines and they said that the name that he gave was his nickname. Still, I was very leery to let him go ahead, so I called another representative to verify his employment because you could have picked up this paper at any truck stop where my stuff was.

In the end, the guy did the move and he was really good. I packed everything and he wrapped the furniture that I brought. I had some furniture that was handcrafted by my grandfather and I requested it to be double-wrapped and made sure that it maintained the integrity in which it left the facility. They were fine when they arrived and there were no scratch marks whatsoever. I also gave the guy a large tip when he got to Arizona. I told him I would if everything came in right and everything came in on time, and they did.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I was in Florida trying to get moved from Alabama. I wanted to just make one trip and not have to go up and meet someone that didn’t even give me an estimate. I went with Colonial Van Lines and my experience with them was excellent from start to finish. Their rep, Anthony, walked me through the process and made something that I was dreading easy. He was really responsive to where he didn’t get agitated with me when I had some anxiety going on. He let me know that they were very common concerns. He also answered every question I had or emails and followed up the email.

We were able to handle everything on the phone and he really made me comfortable because I was a little leery doing it over the phone. I called him at least four times and he gave me answers, so I was able to go ahead and lock in the moving date, set my flight, and make things work for me. I was also able, just by phone, to plan my flight there as well as the packing, pickup and delivery, and everything was right on schedule. Then, I was able to meet the movers there.

Everyone was telling me that I needed to go there and they would give me a quote. But that wasn’t gonna work for me at the time, so I had a company meet me there. But Anthony was able to, over the phone and by getting a list, give me pretty much the same quote within $100 or $200. And the quote was good. It came in under what they initially told me and Anthony told me to probably expect that. I was ready based on the information Anthony gave me in what I needed to do, so everything was there. I felt really great about their ability to do the quote over the phone and for it be as accurate as it was. It helped me with scheduling and it saved me flight money as well as time off of work.

When the movers came in, they introduced themselves and in a matter of hours, they had me packed and ready. The guys were great and they took very good care of packing my dishes and furniture. I watched them pretty much the entire time, in and out, and I didn’t have any issues with them. They also didn’t track dirt or mud in. I was a little concerned with that.

All in all, my experience was awesome. I hope I don’t have to do it again, but I would refer Colonial Van Lines to someone if they were moving. And people were surprised as they said that my furniture was moved twice and it still looks brand new. I expected something to possibly break but not one single item was broken. As I unpacked my boxes, everything was in place. I also had some scratches on there prior but one of the movers brought out his marker and used it on them. Then, he handed it to me and told me to keep it in case I scratch something. And I did make a couple of scratches trying fix some stuff up.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was moving a car and items from my home from Colorado to Oregon. Donna, the coordinator that I was on the phone contact with, was great. She was in touch and always communicating. She would call me and let me know if there were any updates which was good. Her quote was pretty much the same too. The actual move was great. The moving crew was a bit rough with my stuff though and not everything was covered. My couch was full of debris, dust and leaves because it was not clearly covered. My little dining table was scratched on the corner. But the guy was nice and he came at 7:30 PM because they wanted to do an early pickup. So after work, I spent the time from 7:30 to 9:45 helping him move things because he was just by himself, which was kinda strange. It was the first time I used a moving company, and I expected a team of two or three to come and bang this out quick, but that wasn’t the case. So I felt bad for the guy.

They also wanted to move the delivery window being that they had moved the pickup date. It was stressful because I told them specifically that when they pick up the stuff, I wouldn't be in Oregon yet because I would be in Colorado. I was flying the next two days to Oregon to find an apartment. But they wanted to show up a day before, which gave me 24 hours to find a place, which was impossible. They showed up literally on the first day of the window, so I had 48 hours to find an apartment. I asked Donna if we could figure something out, like move the date, but they were having none of it and they said they would be there at 10:00 AM on Thursday. So I flew into Oregon on Tuesday, and I had to sign the lease on Wednesday night.

I feel like Colonial contracts people out and they just organize the move, but they’re not the people that actually do the move. I’m pretty sure that in my case, they set everything up and then they passed it on to a local Colorado company that they hired that gets the move done. I went through Colonial to move my stuff, and these guys from Morales Movers showed up at my door. I was expecting a Colonial Van Line van or truck to come, but then this random budget truck came with this random guy in there. The guy barely spoke English. Maybe Colonial could contract out to a better company or proof the people they hire.

I wish the moving guy was a bit more equipped to be able to better care of my furniture because ultimately, you’re asked to buy insurance or not buy insurance. Obviously, the chances that something is gonna happen to your stuff is minimal, in a sense, so you don’t buy insurance. It’s like 60 cents per pound or per article, and it's kinda weird. So, if I lose a big table, or I get a scratch up on my table, even if it’s a 100-pound table, I'll get $6. It’s just like you don’t wanna buy the insurance. It's not really worth it. Still, overall, as far as the experience from Colonial per se and the organization of things, I’ll use their service again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Colonial Van Lines Movers were very good on picking up my stuff which was approx. 11000 Lbs. It took a while to get the delivery but overall I was satisfied with them, It would have been better to have shopped around but I was on a tight schedule and they came across and got the job done.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Colonial Van Lines did an OUTSTANDING job. They were on time for the packing of my home, Many large and small glass objects were move. Nothing broken. They arrived at my new home within minutes of the appointed time. Unpacked all my belongings with no issues. All in all they did a great job.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thanks for the review Robert!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I had a really horrible experience in February of this past year with another moving company. Then, I had to move again unexpectedly and I needed to find a moving company that I can trust. My parents used Colonial back in the 1980s so I used them. It was a wonderful move in every way.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thanks for the review Roger! We're glad we could earn your trust and service this move for you!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Denise had her belongings moved from here in California to Virginia. Being a friend of hers, I agreed to go supervise the moving of her property. Colonial Van Lines was a little late at the end of the day. Initially, the truck that they were gonna bring was an 18-wheeler, but I said that the storage unit was so tight. They had to bring a different truck than what they originally said. They already had three loads on it and we had the last portion of the truck. By the time we got started, it was about 5 o’clock and it was well after 7:00 when we got done. However, I was highly impressed with the care they took to make sure stuff was wrapped. They spared no expense to make sure things didn’t get destroyed or damaged. I’d hire them again on the spot.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I went online and we compared some different moving companies. We were pleased with the quote we received from Colonial Van Lines compared to the final cost. The moving coordinator was very helpful. On the day of the move, the guys were friendly and they seemed to take care of our possessions. They were also great with the delivery and it was delivered within the expected timeframe. Allan from Walsh was on top of everything, and he was a good communicator. We were pleased on both ends. They were very polite and good to work with, so we were happy. Everything was great. We did not have any breakage, but we had a little chip on our bed that is not anywhere noticeable, so it was not a big deal.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information