toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

From beginning to end this was a positive experience. Everyone was very professional and good at their jobs, there were no issues and it went smoothly. Thank you to everyone at Colonial Van Lines for such excellent service. I'd highly recommend this moving company!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The move was exceptional from start to finish. The sales team was knowledgeable. The Movers were professional. The Movers arrived on time, communicated information, delivered on time and the furniture was intact. I would use Colonial again. The entire move from start to finish exceeded my expectations.

Bobby,
Our team would like to thank you for your wonderful feedback. Customer service is our focus at Colonial Van Lines and customer satisfaction our most important goal. We are delighted to learn you were satisfied with your moving experience with Colonial Van Lines and we wish you the best of luck on all future endeavors.
Warm Regards,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: May 15, 2017

Jordan, the coordinator from Colonial Van Lines, was professional and he communicated very nicely with me. He gave me a fair estimate and the cost came in under what he estimated. He was also easy to contact whenever I needed to talk to him. It was a great experience.

Matthew,
Thank you for your feedback. Colonial Van Lines always aims to provide our customers with an optimal customer service experience. It is comments like yours that let us know we are meeting our ultimate goal of complete customer satisfaction.
Best Wishes,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: May 5, 2017

We didn't want to live in Florida anymore. I didn't like living there as much as my wife did but she loved the weather down there, so it was a compromise to move. I chose Colonial for the relocation because the information I got at the time was very useful. It answered all my questions prior to the move and they were also in the price range. The moving coordinators kept me comfortable throughout the entire process. Being able to have access to people easily to ask questions and to get information as I wanted is important to me. If I couldn't get a hold of them right away, their response was very quick to get back to me. It was fantastic.

We packed up all the boxes and staged them in our garage, so it was easy for them to load. It seemed like they were overestimating weight, but the box weight that they calculated was 30 pounds a box, which was low. I saw that and I knew that we were way over on the boxes. As far as expectations, I thought that we were going to come in close, but we ended up going over.

There is a quarter mile driveway that goes back to the house that we bought. It was windy and I was very concerned at the time about using a semi-truck. It would have never gotten our stuff back here. We were quite happy that the delivery truck was a shuttle-sized truck instead of a semi. We were able to credit the shuttle truck service. Everything, dollar-wise, worked out great. We were right as far as the overall cost, so no big surprises at the end and we were really happy.

I was very satisfied with everybody that I spoke with throughout the whole process. They didn't beat around the bush and they knew what they were doing. I felt comfortable that they were very knowledgeable. They knew how everything was going to go, and everything that they explained to me was exactly the way it happened. In this day and age, to try and get answers from people, most of the time I throw my hands up because people half the time don't know what they're talking about. In this case, it was the opposite of my expectations. I called it in and I thought all this would be a bare, but it wasn't. It was excitable as experience can be when you're moving across the country.

Kaniz,
Our team sincerely appreciates your well received comments. Customer satisfaction is a prime directive at Colonial Van Lines and we are glad to see that we were able to exceed your service expectations on your recent move.
Best Wishes,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: April 27, 2017

Colonial Van Lines gave us the best rate. The experience I had from James made me choose them. He was the sales manager who quoted us on the price and explained how the move will be done and why their pricing was based on this, and I liked what he explained to me. James was able to give me a very good quote. I gave him the inventory list and based on that, he was telling me that this was the best price they could give me and because I had already checked around, I found Colonial Van Lines rates were very competitive. Mina from customer service was very nice and polite. She also managed to speak to the movers to get them to come on time to our place so that we could meet the deadline for the Greyhound bus, which we took because we didn't have a car. We had no anxiety. We knew James and Mina were handling our move efficiently and very well.

The move was straightforward across the state from Chicago, Illinois, to Greenwood, Indiana and because we didn’t have any odd pieces of furniture, it was easy for the movers to do the packing. They came at 11:30 and they finished at 1:00. The movers understood the time frame we had so they did efficiently all the work, packed our things nicely, blanketed all the equipment properly and the items received at our end was all well, except a small damage but it was acceptable.

The movers that came were from In Demand Movers. Phil was very nice and helped out. He said, “Don’t worry. We will do all the work properly for you”. We also had Luis and Rudy. They were very nice, fast, polite and wherever we asked them to keep the things, they kept it for us. We were very happy with their services. Everything went smoothly, plus we were properly informed. They called us one hour before they came to our apartment and even when we arrived in Indiana. This was the first time I moved from one state to another. Earlier on I had a lot of anxiety. I was not so sure whether the movers would do a good job but overall, at the end of the day, I’m very happy I chose Colonial Van Lines. I would definitely recommend and use them if I move again, even overseas.

Terrence,
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to share your positive moving experience with our current and future customers. We appreciate your feedback and we wish you the best of luck in your new state and home.
Sincerely,

Colonial Van Lines

Original review: April 22, 2017

I moved from Akron, Ohio to California for a job move and used Colonial Van Lines. The moving coordinator did a great job and I was very happy with him. The services and expectations he set were very accurate. The best part about it was Carlos, the mover. He was very personable and did a great job. It was a great experience overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving for a job. The initial sales rep from Colonial Van Lines that I talked to was very helpful, and clear, unlike the other moving companies that I've talked to where I could not get the whole story and have high-pressure and manipulative sales tactics. The rep from Colonial also took the time to answer my questions and was professional. The quote I got was very fair, though it did change when an estimator came out onsite because we added some stuff that wasn't in the initial quote, but the change was nothing outrageous. The moving coordinator did a great job and the services were very accurate against the expectations that were set and then the account manager gave good assistance during the move. Overall, we're very pleased with the service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had to move for a new job and chose Colonial Van Lines for their rate at the time. In the process of getting everything set up for the move, they made sure I got a call and that everything was getting done, checking on me from time to time. Their services were pretty accurate and I was very satisfied overall.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called around, got some prices, and I ended up with Colonial Van Lines. Their moving coordinator was very good. Their service and their quote were very accurate. They were very well prepared with the delivery as well. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was trying to do a cross-country move and Colonial Van Lines was one of the resources that appeared when I searched for cross-country movers. They were the least sketchy among them. Their customer service reps were fantastic and I had a phenomenal experience with the account manager that assisted me. They were a fantastic group of movers.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We needed to relocate from Arizona to Wisconsin. Colonial's rates were comparable to other companies but the gentleman that I spoke to went above and beyond to help alleviate my concerns about the price. I was also concerned because my husband had a lot of tools that it would come in too low. He had someone come out and do a physical inventory. So, our costs were almost exactly the same as what he had quoted, which was great. We had no surprises.

Colonial went above and beyond at both ends. In Wisconsin, we had extreme weather and it was torrential rain. That day we were supposed to pack but they waited until the rain abated and they still got us all done and ready to go. Then down here in Arizona, we’re in the mountains so it’s supposed to be cooler, but it was 100 degrees but they did great. We just kept them hydrated. They had great attitudes and are nice people. It was a positive experience. Overall, Colonial was exceptional, professional, and efficient.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a work-related relocation. I made a request over the internet for quotes and ended up selecting Colonial Van Lines. I made several calls to the moving coordinator and he was alright. Their service was consistent and the orientation was fine. The move was successful.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial had fairly decent reviews recently and they could meet my date for moving. Dealing with their rep went fairly smooth but there was some confusion in terms of the not to exceed price, which is how they advertised. It was a bit of a bait-and-switch because of them still planning on weighing our goods at a weigh station and then if it's heavier, I got to pay more. A lot of the competitors will offer not to exceed price though. But their account manager was always very responsive with the phone calls and when I would reach out to him, it was easy to get a hold of him.

I was well informed of when they would be arriving. However, they say on their website that they’re going to wrap everything but there were four pieces which they didn’t wrap at all. That was a concern. Then when packing the stuff into the truck, they stacked them so high and it’s so heavy that they ended up crushing a lot of them. When the delivery was made to Austin, the guy that drove the semi-truck showed up alone. He was to have a helper but that guy didn’t show until about two hours later. It was so bad and it’s a busy street in Austin, Texas, so I had to put on the safety vest and stop traffic while the driver backs in to the storage and the driveway. It’s all right, it’s fun, but for what I’m paying, there should be another dude there. I also ended up helping to load stuff into the storage because the guy that showed up was slow. Other than that, it was pretty smooth. They were pretty good for what I paid.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were relocating and I happened to see Colonial Van Lines' truck in the area we were thinking of moving into. They were moving somebody else there so I used that for reference. Colonial Van Lines kept me updated via e-mail and phone calls. I felt very supported that way and all of my phone interactions were excellent as well. The services and expectations set by the moving coordinator were fairly accurate, considering I underestimated the number of boxes and things that we had and we came in twice the weight that I had given them initially.

We did pretty well in getting everything boxed but I had a plastic bag with a couple of extra things. They said everything needed to be boxed and they had to take one of their boxes. All the items fit in one box though, and that was good. However, there were a few things like the bicycle that had a portion broken on it. I’ve never had this happen with movers before, and they didn’t take their trash with them either and that was a surprise for me. But other than that, the fellows who did the moving, packing, loading the truck up and unpacking worked very hard. I was very impressed with their instinctiveness and overall, the experience was fairly good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

A couple of my friends use Colonial Van Lines and they recommended it. I used Colonial Van Lines when I moved from Cincinnati to Chicago and at that time, my rocking chair was broken. And I didn’t claim for it because the amount they'd pay for it was too less so I just left it as is. Everything was fine other than that and I was in touch with the same lady who helped me before and I used the same service this time when I moved from Chicago to Minnesota.

I was happy with the people who moved and delivered to me. They handled things very carefully but my only concern is that the backside of a sofa was a bit torn and a chair cushion was a little bit broken. I made a claim on it. Also, this time the move was not on time but there was not much delay. And it's part of the claim as well because I couldn’t get the things delivered from the date which was already mentioned. It's not that bad because the other time, the delay was more than a month and there was no option to claim for it. Also, the other time we used them, I bought items from the nearby stores because of the one-month delay. Apart from those, everything was fine.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We wanted to go from Texas to Florida because of our church and I wanted somebody who has their own trucks. I had a choice between another company that’s most well known in the world and Colonial, and the other one charged based on space and not based on rate. So I chose Colonial and I ended up saving money because the truck was physically large but it's all super lightweight so it turned out it was a better deal. Both companies had really great service and people talk to me but Colonial also did assembly and disassembly for free, it's part of the deal. We have to have a washer/dryer unhooked, disassembled or taken and re-hooked up again, so we made a contract for somebody to do it.

My dealing with the moving coordinator was good and it changed dramatically as we are closer because we ended up getting rid of stuff. And it worked out great because they didn’t like playing games with us. It was with lots of contacts and they were constructive and very reasonable. The people who did the moving were awesome and faster during pickup and delivery. They got it in one day. It's far but they did it. The actual worker guys were tremendous.

We moved from California to Texas and we're using brokers that had people’s trucks and it was an incredible nightmare. I would have rather had all my stuff stolen than what we went through. If those actual people that do the things aren't good, it doesn’t matter if the coordinator is awesome. But we had our cars moved too and when we went to go get our cars, the guy wouldn’t give them to us. They decided to drive away with our cars because the broker didn’t pay the guys. What usually happens is you pay broker then the broker contracts people. A lot of times, the broker don’t pay the people that they contract. They skip them or they pay them with almost nothing and then me as the customer is stuck because they show up and they say they need another thousand dollars when in fact I already paid them. It happens a lot. At the end of the day, moving a lot easier is all that matters so Colonial is fine.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving some 1800 miles away and I shopped around. Colonial Van Lines was available but it was expensive. There were some changes in the inventory. I would have appreciated more in-depth questions because the big stuff was accounted for but moving a household with kids’ toys will adjust the inventory a great deal because that didn’t come up and it wasn’t really something that we planned. It wasn’t done as well as it probably could have been. I had everything packed up and ready to go before the movers got there for the pickup and delivery. The two men who moved us were outstanding. They did a great job and there was no damage done. They were really nice and respectful of the house and the kids. They were a big difference maker.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving for work from one town to another that’s 168 miles away. I Googled for van lines and Colonial was one of the first that came up. The rep who helped me estimate my inventory was way low to begin with. When I got a competing quote, the weight was a lot more and those people came to my property. So, I called the Colonial rep back and we got re-quoted properly. The reps and I had good communication and they stayed on top of things and followed up after. Their team did all the packing and I was ready for the move. I've done this before, so all my pictures were all stacked and I've done some preparation for the packers. The only thing I wasn’t informed about was that I ended up using a subcontractor. I would have liked to have known that upfront. Other than that, the overall experience was positive and I would not hesitate to call them again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I needed to relocate for work and I had moved with Colonial Van Lines before and had a good experience, so they’re the only choice in my mind. They were very positive, helpful and got back to me in a timely manner. The account manager, Cameron, was great, kept me up to date on everything and checked in on me often. They gave me notice of the time of pickup and delivery and I was prepared and had everything packed. The service was spot on and I’m recommending them.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Sept. 18, 2017

Colonial Van Lines has been in touch with me ever since upper management found out about some of the things that have happened. They have worked hard to resolve my issues which shows a lot about their values.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

My experience with Colonial Van Lines has been a nightmare. I still have yet to get my things. I have been the one to initiate most conversations with them. They are AWFUL at keeping you informed. You have to pry information out of them to plan. I called the day before my 2 day window for pickup to see what day and time they were coming and they said, "Oh, actually they need to come today." So I said that that would be fine. They said they would be there between 2 and 6 pm. They showed up just after 7 pm and never called to say they were running late. They finished at about midnight. I came back the next day to clean and find my guest room is still full of furniture. They came back and got it. So my delivery window I believe was between August 28th and September 5th. They say that they will be there on the 29th regardless of the hurricane that was hitting Houston.

I call them the day before delivery to find out what time they will be there and my contact was TERRIBLY RUDE and said that she had no updates. Then a few hours later says it won't be coming at all that week due the storm that hit. On Friday September 1st they call and say that they finally have a delivery date for September 5th. I call the morning of September 5th (today) to see what their time frame is. They say they are not coming once again. Now they say they are coming on Thursday the 7th.

I asked for compensation for having to stay elsewhere for an extended period of time as well as now missing 2 full days of work. Their compensation is $30 for every day outside of your delivery window. I am paying what they estimate to be over a $6000 move and they say they MIGHT be able to compensate me $30? That is so offensive that that is how they value their customers' TIME. Spend the extra money and use a moving company that you've heard of. In the end with all of the extra expenses Colonial Van Lines is going to cost me THOUSANDS of dollars extra.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had to move for work to a place which is 10 hours away and Colonial Van Lines helped me as recommended by a friend of mine. I used to have a one-bedroom apartment and I live by myself, so I only had 2,500 pounds of stuff. Their quote was spot on and I didn’t have to pay anything extra. Their coordinator was always very professional and courteous, which made our interactions very pleasant. Their account manager was also very professional. She notified me exactly what time everything was coming. The person who I had scheduled the move with, as well as other people, notified me exactly what to pack, what to leave out, and what to expect. That was a process for everything. Overall, they were a great company. I would definitely recommend and use them again in the future.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving out for work from where I was and Colonial Van Lines seemed to be the most economical moving company for me at the moment. The mocing coordinators and I did the normal thing and they gave me an estimate of how much the move would cost. The services were accurate and right-on, and they were on time. The staff was good and the movers were nice. It was a quick move. Everything was great and went smoothly, and I'd recommend Colonial Van Lines.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had been in the DC area for five years and I moved back home to my family. A lot of companies in the area weren’t able to accommodate my short moving window, but Colonial Van Lines was able to meet that request. The rep, Anne, had exceptional customer service skills and kept me and my mother abreast of any changes or what the company offered versus competitors. She was very responsive in answering questions and got us what we needed in a timely manner. Anne did a really good job and everything about the move went as expected.

On moving day, the only thing that the guys had to do was break down the furniture since I already packed everything. I had 22 and some small pieces, which wasn't a lot. But it took quite a bit of time to break down the furniture and load the truck, so it took them four hours to finish. When my things got to Michigan, the guys did an excellent job in breaking down things. They were able to unload the furniture quite swiftly and assemble them. I was surprised it was done under two hours. I noticed that the process was a lot smoother and faster than the move from my apartment in Maryland. It had something to do with the distance from the truck to the apartment. Plus, it was hot that day so the guys were a little tired.

The quote we were given was a bit higher than what we were originally expecting but it's still more reasonable than other companies in the area. After weighing the different things inside the truck, it was heavier than originally reported. Also, the distance from the truck to my apartment was something that wasn’t originally discussed, so the manager had to call me back to add that on. It was a little overwhelming when they presented a different quote upon retrieval of the items. My mother already paid the deposit and we're not able to retrieve the items unless we pay that final amount. It’s a bit difficult to describe the size of the items over the phone and it would be nice if a representative came on site beforehand and looked at the items, so that more realistic quotes were provided.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines was very quick to get a quote back and their affordability and availability made me decide to go with them when I had a job relocation. Everything went smoothly and I have no complaints. The coordinator was in touch the entire move and called several times a day to make sure everything was on schedule. The actual bill came under what they quoted which was a nice surprise. They were prompt, professional, courteous and overall a great experience. I would highly recommend the service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I Contracted Colonial Van Lines to move from NY to Tennessee, our agreement included the household items and a motorcycle. On the day of the move and after hours of discussions, they tell me they can’t move the bike at the original price of $500. It’s now going to cost $900 and I would need to bring the bike to a place where it would picked up in a few days. This is now 2 hours before I have to be out of the house, and I am left scrambling to find an alternative way to move the bike. I was also asked by my customer service manager, why I did not consider alternative ways to move the bike originally to which I replied, “You people said you could do it, and now you want to make it my problem?”.

Delivery was scheduled for three different dates, and three times they were a no show, without even a call. When they finally arrived, they expected payment which is what we had agreed to. However they did not have the proper weight certificates showing the weight of an empty truck, and then that of the truck after it was filled. I had been told that this is how the final moving bill would be calculated. When I refused to pay without the proper documentation, I was verbally abused, and threaten with taking my belongs to storage or just dumping them in the driveway. The workers were threaten with their jobs which left 2 upset and crying. Ultimately the truck was unloaded, however I am now held hostage by one worker who stayed at my house, while the others went to have the truck weighed.

This lasted to 1 AM in the morning. I was supposed to have a customer service rep who would be with me through the whole process and to be the one to interface with the movers. I didn’t. And while all that when on the night of the move, there was no one to call for help. They just abandoned me despite all that I was told about the wonderful service they would provide during my move. Yep say anything to get you to sign the contract. Additionally, the movers did not have all the packing materials they need to pack pre agreed items, which I had to go out and buy. They did not have the inventory stickers that needed to be place on each item, nor did they have the shrink wrap need to cover my furniture, all of which I had paid for in advance.

I filed a claim for the damaged items as instructed, and now they say it takes 4 months, I will not hear from anyone, and if I bought additional insurance which I did, they will not pay. None of this is in the contract they I signed. Now a month later the company still has not made good on their promise to refund me the cost of the bike, the materials I bought, and the additional monies I am owed due the weight difference. I also paid for insurance on the bike. While it was only $91, they are refusing to reimburse me for that loss. Nor will they acknowledge in any way that they Broke the Contract. This company will say anything to get you to sign the contract, and then they don’t deliver, and don’t care. Even when they break their own agreement.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved about a thousand miles for a new job. I got a lot of stuff having to get moved at a very late junction and Colonial Van Lines was available at the last second so I went with them. When the time came in, I added a couple of things that had gotten left out and from there, we went packing and got everything rolling. There were a couple things that happened along the way but the account manager took care of them for me and got me here all good. Colonial was professional, on-time and it was a very good experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Recently we moved from Atlanta, GA to Madison, WI using Colonial Van Lines. Our experience was really good. We got the quote over phone based on the inventory list items and its weight and they seemed to have estimated pretty good. The actual weight did increase by 10% but I think it was still pretty decent estimate. They communicated on time, came on scheduled day and time and delivered it within the 8 days window they had committed. All the items were delivered in good shape. Thanks to all the people who communicated and did a great job!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had not had to move with a professional moving company for 38 years. As the moving day loomed closer, my anxiety level increased each day. When the trucks arrived at my door, and the four friendly and very respectful men introduced themselves, I felt at ease! As they wrapped and loaded my belongings onto the truck, I knew that it was going to be okay, and my anxiety left me. The next day, unloading my belongings, I thought my stress level was going to rise again, as I was by myself. I was concerned that I would hold the men back as I tried to make sure where all my furniture would be placed. But again, they made the process for me stress free!

If I was to have a need to ever move again (which I expect not to happen), I would definitely, without question, hire the same company. All the CSR's at Colonial were patient and informative to work with, right from the start. They followed the progress and kept in touch with me during the complete process! Great team work! Thank You Very Much to All!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I got Colonial Van Lines on my next-door neighbor's recommendation as I was moving due to health reasons. I’m 64 years old and I have moved several times. I knew what had to be done and I did it. Everything went well with the account manager. I was very prepared for the move and everything went smoothly. I’m completely satisfied with the whole process.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was transferred with my job so I had to find a company to help me move. I went online, filled out my moving form and there were several companies that contacted me. Colonial Van Lines was the most diligent about making sure that everything was moving along in a productive manner so I hired them. They were fairly responsive. I had some challenges with the estimates with their app and that wasn’t working very well. But after, I made a list, went back and forth a few times, and we're good. I fully anticipated that the service would cost more than the initial estimate and I knew that was gonna be part of the process.

The account manager who assisted me was thorough and he kept checking with me a couple of times prior to the move and on both the day of the pickup and the delivery. He did a nice job. And the actual moving guys were amazing and great. I wasn't prepared as I should have been but at home, the Colonial people spent a lot of time packing and they did it much more diligently than I would have. Overall, Colonial's reps were courteous, very accommodating and open. I was very happy with their service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had to move a two-bedroom home from Birmingham Alabama to St. Louis Missouri. The estimate given by the moving coordinator from Colonial Van Lines was not accurate. The way to improve that is to send someone to physically look at the inventory so they don’t surprise you. I was about $900 over from what was quoted because they measure it once it’s already en route. While they helped me at the time of pick-up, it was a moot point because the quote that was given was over. Had they said this, I would have been more prepared rather than 24 hours before they arrived at my door.

Overall, there’s too much communication, it’s annoying. They used to have two people – the person who takes the call, and the person who expedites everything. This was my experience when I used Colonial Van Lines in the military before and I liked them. I know that they have to find a balance between communication and non-communication. But they called every day and I received too many emails. It took six people. You get one person when you call, then they pass it to another person, then they handle the inventory then they hand it to another person who inspects and insures with certain people out. They then ask around and, as you're traveling, they have another person who monitors. I told them to give one person the checklist instead and I put this in every survey they sent. So far, the process was okay. It's just the follow-up. Had I knew I was going to do too much talking, I would have never used them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving my mother in with us and she was about 150 miles away. I had checked with Allied and the price they quoted me was outrageous. I thought there’s got to be out there that can do better than that. So I went online, looked and looked at the ratings and found Colonial Van Lines. The moving coordinators were very nice and polite. They answered all my questions and checked several times before the move to make sure everything was okay. I didn’t have boxes, only strictly furniture, so the quote I received was accurate. The actual moving fellows that did the work were careful with the furniture. I really appreciated the attention that they took. Overall, Colonial Van Lines came at a stressful time and they made everything easier. I will definitely recommend them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We're moving down to Arizona for retirement. So we researched moving companies. I found a good bunch of different companies, but I went with Colonial and made it easy. A guy from Colonial came in and did the estimation. But his estimate wasn’t very good as far as the amount of stuff that I had. I had to pay $5,000 more. It went from $15,000 to almost $20,000 for the total cost for the move. It was a waste of my time for him to come out. He only had me listed down as having one TV but I got three TVs. The guy who did the estimate should have been part of the movers. He should have been there instead of giving a ball park ticket of what it's going to cost me.

They subcontracted the move to this company Best Quality Move and they did a good job. It took them two and a half days to pack up and then one day to unpack. We're not missing anything, although because they packed up everything really quick, we didn’t know what went where. But everything's good now, except for two things. I've got an amplifier that's not working. The CD part won't open. Then my stand-up toolbox from the garage has got a bunch of shelves inside which collapsed. The amplifier's probably about $150 then the toolbox is $150. I was going to get that sent in to Colonial. Overall though, there’s no doubt that they did an excellent job. These guys busted their butts. Arizona's really hot and these guys just kept on. We kept them with water and we gave them food.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My wife got a new job down south. I was then researching long haul moving companies, from Philadelphia down to Augusta, Georgia, and then Colonial came up. They were pretty highly reviewed. I got quotes from a few different places but a guy at Colonial was super friendly, always answered my calls and was the fastest turnaround. And so, I went with them. We tried to box everything we could. And there were some things that I thought they could just take but apparently, they had to be boxed. So, they ended up packing a few boxes for us but not very many. Otherwise, we were pretty prepared and packed everything we could for the move.

The other people I talked to were fine but our talks were very brief. So, we took some things off and the moving coordinator said that was fine. Going over the boxes, he said everything should be about the same. But when the movers got there, we ended up paying $2000 more than our quote. We were quoted something like $3300 and ended up being about $5000. That was the one thing that was frustrating but I couldn't really do anything about it at that time. Delivery was on time though and was actually faster than expected, which was nice. We ended up getting lucky and were the only load on the truck. So, we got our stuff very quickly. The account manager was also great and seemed very much sincere. He said to call him if we had any trouble and I did. He called me back, if not within a few hours, later that day.

How the business works is they contract out other smaller companies to actually do the work. I packed everything and I packed everything really well. The two movers we had were nice but we had two boxes that my wife and I are almost 100% sure they either fell off the truck or were thrown in because everything inside of them was broken. Granted that was two out of over 100 boxes, but there were some collectibles and things in there. I signed off on something that basically said, "If stuff's broken in boxes, we're not responsible." which I understand because somebody could just throw a bunch of stuff in a box. It'd be like, "Yeah, this is going to get broken and then they're going to pay me for it."

So, that was the one thing we were really disappointed with. But, of course, we don't have much recourse because they didn't pack it so they don't take responsibility for that. So, we were sort of stuck and unhappy with that but we didn't really know what to do about that stuff. Other than that, the experience was pretty good overall. If those two boxes hadn't been smashed up, it would have been as good an experience as I could have hoped for.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

This was my first long distance move. I looked on line for company reviews and Colonial was OK. Then I received a call from Colonial and he explained the moving process. After that I was in constant communications with the company asking me if I need anything or if there was any changes to add or subtract my household goods. They picked up my goods, showed me the beginning weight, gave me a delivery date and showed me the ending weight at my final destination. There was no big surprises with the cost. It was close to the original estimate.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving from one state to the other at about 1,500 miles-ish far and there were two companies that responded to the inquiry that I put online. Colonial Van Lines was the first one who responded. The second one had people right there in that town. They had the guy come in, talk to me and did all the estimates but the costs were way too high, that's why I went with Colonial Van Lines and I think I made the good decision. From the very beginning, Colonial took care of me. Their moving coordinator was good and on point. However, the quote wasn’t accurate because we only anticipated for 6,000 weight and it turned out to be 8,000. But once I knew how much weight I had, the quote was okay.

The account manager whose responsibility was to set up all these appointments for pickup and delivery was good. The drivers were very good too. They were constantly letting me know where they were. They kept me in the loop so I knew what's going on. I appreciated what they did and I will recommend them. Overall, it was a good move and I have been pleased. I have heard enough share of horror stories. So doing this for the first time with movers, I was bracing myself but it turned out to be an awesome experience. It was easy, they were all very courteous and they came and took care of the move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Colonial Van Lines had a very good reputation and their price wasn't significantly more than others. I had good interactions with the rep who gave me the quote and he was fairly accurate in what he anticipated. I had several obstacles I had to overcome in the process of this move and they were very responsive. I had to change the date and address to where the contents of my move were going to be delivered and they worked with everything. They accommodated me so it took a lot of stress out of the process.

But the type of moving van they had didn't have proper clearance for the entry into my apartment complex. It took about an hour for the driver to get the truck onto the grounds. He got hung up because of how our driveway was designed. There’s a big bump when entering the grounds where he got stuck and it had rained so the pavement was wet and made it difficult. But he was able to get the truck back out and then come around to a secondary entrance. Then everything went forward.

Another thing is that there were only two people on that truck. Maybe there should have been three especially since I didn't have elevator access to my second-floor apartment. It took them quite a while to get all my stuff. I had heavy things and it might have been too much for two people to do easily. They were very polite and they took very good care of my things, though. They compensated for me when I wasn't fully prepared so if I didn't have something packaged properly, they repackaged it for me and gave me the information I needed to know that the steps that they took were to protect my things. They did a great job and got everything to where it needed to be when I needed it to be there.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We’ve been searching for moving companies around and Colonial Van Lines was the best deal we found. The mover was from Massachusetts and our dealing was initially okay. The account manager was good as well. But the other day, they just left the furniture here. Then we found out after we unpacked and did our cleanup that some of the furniture had broken probably because it was tightly wrapped. But I didn’t let the coordinator know because I don’t have the insurance so it’s not worth my time to claim it.

Colonial moved my belongings from a small town in Colorado to Payson AZ. They were excellent with communicating with me when their truck was going to be a couple of hours late due to mechanical problems. They did an excellent job packing and moving my belongings. I won't hesitate using them for my next move.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were 30 miles to my new job in Philadelphia so we moved using Colonial Van Lines. Most moving companies don't want to come Lafayette, Indiana because it's a small community but Colonial Van Lines was able to come that's why I chose them. The moving coordinator that I dealt with was bad and was not helpful. We have to be the ones to communicate with her since she doesn't communicate with us. Sometimes she's not in the office and there's nobody to talk to. Most times we have to call the customer service line and talk to anybody because many times we leave her voice mail, she will not call back. I will not recommend her. At least customer service picked up the call so that was better, but they can’t really say much and couldn’t access our file.

The movers came here late and did our move, from pickup to drop off, two weeks late from the estimated time. However, the person who brought our stuff was really nice. He asked us to move it and set it up although he was the only person which to me was ridiculous because we had to look for people to help him because he can't just do it on his own. It's too much load for just one man. But at least we got all our things and nothing was damaged.