4.31/5
Based on 305 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Margate, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 24, 2018

626 Colonial Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

I read some reviews and there was a somewhat negative sort from someone. But I gave Colonial Van Lines a chance and I liked the first fellow I talked to right off the bat. Antonio was easy to talk with and we got along on the phone. I didn’t know him but we were having a conversation like we've known each other forever. I also talked to my moving coordinator a few times and Robin was very professional. She let me know what was gonna happen and when it was supposed to happen.

The job got backed up though. They told me it was gonna happen on a Monday and worst case scenario was Tuesday. But then they told me it was gonna be Wednesday and I think the reason for that was somebody had trouble with their closing. It ended up happening on Thursday then I got the delivery here on Friday. It wasn’t a big deal other than we were under the gun to get out of the place since it was a rental. But it all worked out.

I had lived up here in the steel mill I worked at but it shut down. Then I moved to Atlanta to work construction but then I decided to move back to Kentucky. I'm retired now and I ain't moving again. But if I had a friend who was gonna move, I would recommend Colonial Van Lines. The guys who did the work were exceptional. I had pickups at two different locations in one town and delivery at one location. Two of the guys delivered but three picked up and the two who delivered were on the pick up as well and they were very good at their job. In fact, they were staying in tight. They were just good people.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hello James, thank you for trusting our company with your move despite your anxiety based upon past reviews. Here at Colonial, we strive to provide excellent service to all our clients which would include clear communication throughout the process to ensure you are not overwhelmed with moving. I apologize for the delay but am also happy that we were able to work it out in a non conflicting matter. Good luck and thank you again!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I've moved with Colonial Van Lines before. When I relocated closer to my family, I used them again. Their coordinator and I emailed back and forth, had a couple of phone calls, and it was pleasant every single time. Their service was excellent and met my expectations. The account manager who assisted me was very good as well. I was extremely prepared for the move and I had a couple of things that I had to have them do for me. I originally called in January when I knew that I was gonna be moving, then we had to change the date a couple of times. We went back and forth from the 12th to the 13th, then the 12th again. But the whole process took a relatively short time. Everybody did a great job, was very professional, and handled all my stuff with excellent care. Nothing was broken and everything went well.

Colonial Van Lines response

HI Mickale, thank you for being trusting us with your move and being a repeated customer! We are pleased to hear that once again we exceeded your service expectations and look forward to working with you in the future :)

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 23, 2018

Colonial Van Lines gave me a quote for a personal move from Temecula to Phoenix. My interaction with the moving coordinator was fine and I didn’t have to shop around. However, the quote came in a lot lower than what it actually ended up being and we packed on more stuff just because I wasn’t clear on a few things. We had a hallway and we added more so the price kept going up. While the moving crew was very nice and very professional, the paperwork at the end was ridiculous. I also felt like I could have called someone who had it done for a lot less since I was charged a couple thousand dollars more than necessary.

At the end of the move, there's a wait for one hour when they unloaded everything up. They made me sit and wait for an hour while the guys sat on the phone, flipping through his paperwork, and talking to some guy some other place. I didn’t know what the techie was doing or why he had to talk to the guy on the phone for about an hour and fiddle back and forth. At that point, I started getting angry because it was getting late and we were all tired and hungry. If I would’ve known I would’ve just picked a local moving company instead of a large company. It turns out they get a middleman to do it for them and then charge the higher price.

Hi Pauline,

I apologize for your negative experience. It was not our intentions for you to wait around late in the night to do paperwork. We do appreciate the feedback, please know this situation will be addressed. If you have any questions or concerns. Don't hesitate to give me a call, my name is Allen. I can be reached at (866) 913-3611

Original review: April 22, 2018

We were relocating back to where our families live. I had a quote from Colonial. They were supposed to transport a car and they called last minute saying, "We're not going to be able to get it moving." So like a week after it's like, "No, that's not acceptable. You guys have known about this for two months. We paid the deposit. You should have somebody lined up to move the car." So that cost me extra money because I had to find somebody else to trailer the car back to Missouri from North Carolina. That's my big complaint with them.

When you're closing on the house and you got to be out by a certain date and they can't pick things up for two weeks that doesn't work. I spoke with them a couple times when I handled the furniture because I got two different apartments. It's two different areas of Colonial but one handles household goods, the other handles transporting cars. As far as the furniture move the people that handled it did a great job. Colonial Van Lines followed up a lot as far moving the household goods.

I was properly informed but they guesstimated the weights and of course it was a little bit more because we had a lot of stuff. The quote was a little low but they're trying to do it over the phone. You're describing all you had. We had more boxes we thought we'd have. The moving crew we had was excellent. They delivered quicker than we thought they'd actually get to the house. We had the furniture and everything the same day we closed on the house so it worked out well. I was impressed and I'd recommend them to a friend..

Original review: April 22, 2018

We were moving from Florida to Virginia for a new job. With the time frame of the move, Colonial was one of the fastest to get back to me. The first guy we dealt with was good. With the app that you can use to take photographs, the person can actually see the room along with the box count, and that helped make it pretty accurate. However, there were too many people involved and I was passed around way too much. There's the guy who sold me, but then he disappears. I get another guy and then I'm passed on to another woman. And then I get passed to the sub-contractor that Colonial uses.

The two gentleman who actually did the pickup were very knowledgeable. The driver didn't have payments for them, and it was awkward and uncomfortable. Luckily, the laborers that were there really knew what they were doing and packed the truck very well. Also, I didn't get a final cost set before the driver showed up here. I got to pay by credit card, which was fine. But it's a little hard to prepare yourself for not knowing. Other than that, it was fine. The price was really fair for the poundage that I had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: April 21, 2018

Transporting our furniture with Colonial Van Lines was bumpy. We were supposed to be in Scottsboro from Memphis. They picked up our furniture around 10 o’clock and they said they would see us in five hours, and we didin’t hear from them. I was worried that my furniture would be gone. And we had to call whoever it was that set it up the next day to find out that they didn't come until two days later. Though it was within our contract, they should've notified us that they weren't gonna be there that day. Other than that, the guys were really good and all other aspects of the move were fine. But the drop-off part was not very professional.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I moved my house from Georgia to Orlando. I always wanted to do Three Men and a Truck and they said that they do locally in Florida, but their sister company Colonial Van Lines does out of state. They referred me to Colonial and everything was good with the moving coordinator. However, I was disappointed with the service a little bit. While everybody called me and kept in contact, there were little problems here and there. They came late and then left really late. They left boxes everywhere and my mom, my dad and my husband had to go outside at night and break down the boxes and put them up. It was late and that was aggravating.

Also, Colonial didn’t explain in-depth how the move works and that was my very first time having a moving company because I was going from state to state. Rather than telling me that the total is $1200, they should have given me one big total that would've already paid for them to pack home and pack the stuff. They told me it's one price and then I just get everything together that I have. But when they came, they told me they still have to pack things and those have to be packed in a particular way. Then I had to come up with another 1,000 something dollars because nobody told me in full what needs to be packed and wrapped. If I would’ve known that they were gonna charge me extra, I wouldn’t have had people come and pack everything for me in that one price at that. And so, I wouldn't have ended up paying more than what I had to.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Moving with Colonial Van Lines was the best move we ever made in 62 years. Fast, efficient and courteous with no damage to our 200 boxes and 7 rooms of furniture (including Antiques). They even move my husband's antique micro sports car.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Marilyn, we are thrilled that your moving experience was a great one as this is the standard we like to set. We aim to make the process as easy and stress free for you as possible. Thank you again and good luck in your new journey!

Original review: April 20, 2018

I liked the reviews that I read online about Colonial Van Lines. The quote they gave me was right as well. Plus, they did long distance moves and I was moving across a couple of states at the time. I bought a new house and relocated. The moving coordinator did a pretty good job about estimating my moving inventory. But they didn't explain that packing materials cost extra and they went and did a lot of packing and wrapping for me. Then after the fact, they told me about the extra charge. That should have been said upfront and part of the estimate. But in the end, it all worked out. They were very organized and I had several calls from them through the process.

The delivery went perfectly as well. Their guys showed up within the window of time that they said and completed the entire job on the same day even though they could have done it in two. So I was incredibly pleased with that. They also did a nice job of putting my stuff back together and taking it apart. They ran out of room in the truck for my stuff, but that was fine. They never came to look at the place, so we did an estimate over the phone and I covered everything that I had. All in all, I would recommend Colonial Van Lines to my friends. But I would tell them that if they could, they should have a picture of their place so Colonial would know exactly how big a van to send. They should also make sure to ask about all hidden costs like the packing tape and boxes.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We had a wonderful experience with our move and it cost less than quoted. We had our belongings in a few days as promised. Not one item broken. So happy. It was a pleasure doing business with Colonial Van Lines and Zippy Movers.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Patricia, thank you for taking time to submit a review! I'm glad to hear that your move went as planned. We appreciate the feedback, it helps us to continue to improve.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I was moving from Chicago to St. Louis for work and choosing Colonial Van Lines came down to price. My husband coordinated with them over the phone and they were good. The account manager was great as well. She reached out and made sure we didn’t have any questions during the process. The only hiccup that ended up happening was before delivery. They didn’t give us space upon initial pickup in Chicago. They were very communicative, and they called us and let us know when they would be there, 48 hours in advance. As soon as they left, they told us that they were going to give us a call and they never did. So there were some overcharges which was expected because we have more stuff, but we weren’t communicated that until they actually dropped it off. They didn’t tell us they were dropping it off and we had to call them and ask. But the movers were all very nice and professional. Overall, Colonial was pretty good.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I was moving to another state for work. When I talked with the salesman from Colonial Van Lines, he was great. He was very cordial and articulate. But essentially all of the estimates he gave me were very disingenuous. The price was way more that the quote I was given and the reasons weren't touched that he couldn't have explained that while we were discussing the estimate. So it was something they totally could have prevented had they given me a different advice but they didn't. In the end, it cost me 30% more than I should've paid and I was furious about that.

Also, everybody I worked with after the salesman was terrible and I would never use them again. The people who were charged with confirming the order and following up were rude and abrupt. When I tried to get back with the salesperson who was supposed to be the main person that I was supposed to be in-touch with, I didn't hear a word from him. I left multiple messages and the secondary person who was supposed to be in-charge gave me a bunch of attitude. He even raised his voice to me and told me I had an attitude.

My move was on a Monday so over the weekend, the movers were supposed to confirm the pick-up and the arrival. But they kept changing the time that they were going to arrive. So I called the coordinator of the van line company and told them that I needed to know because I was driving up to Washington to meet them. But I never got a call back from him. Then finally, when I got a call back from him on Monday, he said it was a weekend and he was away. I told him that generally somebody put someone on-call. They shouldn't leave me hanging out here. They were very unprofessional and they could care less about customer service. All they wanted was the money.

The pick-up guys were good. But I was specific about certain things that I wanted wrapped and they ended up wrapping way more than I asked them to. Then they charged me a lot more than I expected. Also, the box inventory was a joke. They didn't actually give me an inventory. They did a run around the apartment, threw stickers on everything, and there was no one keeping a list of what was in what box. Then they had me sign a bill of lading that said I acknowledged that they took box number 1 through 742. But I had no idea if they did because they literally run around flapping numbers on it at random. Still, they insisted that I sign it for liability purposes. It was completely fraudulent.

The exact same thing happened on the unloading. They didn't count the boxes, the guys just dumped them off on my house, and said they got to go do another job. So I didn't get to count the boxes and after all the charges for packing, there was stuff that was broken. So I was very unhappy with Colonial and I would tell everyone I know never to use them because they're thieves.

Original review: April 16, 2018

When Colonial Van Lines started the process I talked to Drexel and he did a good job. I had a good thing with him on the phone when I was talking to him. And then I purchased the service. As soon as I told him that I would be pursuing the service with them, he sent me the invoice and everything I paid, and then he passed this to a different person. And then when it went to her, this is where I was not happy because she wouldn't return my call. Then one day they called and said that the driver won't show up on the day because they had a problem. We have a time and then needs some other solution.

I called, no answer, no nothing. They were supposed to load my things on Friday or Saturday. And then finally on Saturday, about five to 12:00, I called Drexel again. He didn't answer the phone but he returned my call in five minutes. He told me what he would do, and then he transferred to another woman and then she was able to tell me, "The driver will be in your house tomorrow between this time and this time." But the first one that Drexel transferred, the service was a disaster. I didn't like the service that I got.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Colonial Van Lines was recommended by one of my classmates. I was given a two week deadline to move to a clinical site and I had to move about 750 miles through Louisiana to South Texas. My only request was that they came quickly and the coordinator was a nice guy. But after I had already explained how important it was that I move on a certain date, they called and said they weren't going to come on Saturday. But they ended up coming on Sunday because I told the it was really important. The actual guys that came to load the stuff were very nice, too. I had one piece of heirloom furniture and I told them how important it was. They were very careful with it, plus, none of my stuff was broken on the move. I would go with Colonial again. They were efficient and a good company.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I called Colonial Van Lines and the fellow who was originally helping me was very helpful, polite and reasonable about working with me on the price. That went smoothly. The follow-up was good too. Colonial just seemed to really work with me on all the issues. The driver showed up on time. In fact, five minutes on the very day that we got to the house here, the truck showed up and the workers were fantastic. I gave them both a big tip.

The work they did was over and beyond what I could ask and the two guys were very good workers. Nothing was broken and there were no scratches on anything. I’m a contractor and I've been doing work for many years. And we were extremely pleased. But there was a little issue with the payment. In the end, they owed me a couple hundred dollars. But the owner of the company sent me a check and it wasn't a problem. He was very professional. Everything was great.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I was doing a work-related move and I liked the price that Colonial Van Lines gave me. The quote I got was pretty good and their reps answered my questions. They also contacted me regularly to ask me about questions. The pick up people were a little bit late than the estimated time but it was not a big problem and other than that, there was no other thing. Most of the items were in good condition when they arrived and although a few boxes were broken, that did not happen with the big items like my furniture. I also have no missing stuff. I would recommend my friends to Colonial Van Lines.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Xuanying! I'm happy to hear we were able to meet your expectations. Here at Colonial, we strive for excellence and professionalism as we understand how important and stressful every detail of moving can be.

We apologize for your broken items, were you provided with information on filing a claim? If you would like to discuss the claims process with us please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. My name is Stephany and I can be reached at (888)866-5826

Original review: April 13, 2018

By far the worst experience I could have had. Let’s start from the beginning. James ** lied to us about them subcontracting out after I saw reviews stating such and he swore that they use colonial trucks and drivers. Which was all lies. I tried to update my inventory list at least 4 times and it was never updated. Because they can’t do ** without Paul in the office but don’t tell you that when you're updating the list. Day of the move comes, guess what there isn’t enough room on the truck for all of our stuff because they didn’t do their job. They picked up our stuff on March 29th and almost refused to load it on the truck. My couch didn’t even fit because they didn’t know we had this much stuff because they subcontracted.

Let’s fast forward to April 5th when a representative calls to give us the amount due upon delivery and lies again. Tells us it’s still the same so the next day I call to pay ahead of delivery and they tell me a lesser amount and I confirm that this is the correct amount and won’t change. He confirms then 3 days later they want to raise it. And I’m not going for it and they try to get us to sign an agreement not to post our experience and it's not happening! I refuse to let this company keep lying and defrauding people. Our stuff is supposed to be here Saturday yet it’s in Texas. And the customer care rep wants to give us a lesson in geography. Rather than tell me when my stuff will arrive and the correct price. The worst customer service. I’ll continue to post our experience on every social media and internet site until it is resolved. James ** is a crook and this whole company is a scam!!!

Original review: April 12, 2018

Colonial Van Lines met all our expectations, and our experience was very good. They had given us the lowest quote at the beginning, but we had more stuff than we thought. Our coordinator asked me to describe what we had and the kind of furniture we have. We had more boxes than the usual and we had a lot of heavy stuff in the garage. The movers had to drive from Florida, all the way to a resort area in the Four Corners of Colorado, through mountains and snow. Only one thing so far that I know of got broken, but everything went smoothly and like it would.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Bonita! I'm happy to hear we were able to meet your expectations. Here at Colonial, we strive for excellence and professionalism as we understand how important and stressful every detail of moving can be.

We apologize for your broken item, were you provided with information on filing a claim? If you would like to discuss the claims process with us please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Original review: April 12, 2018

We made a self-move from Valparaiso, Indiana to Cape Coral, Florida since we wanted to get out of a colder weather. Colonial Van Lines was willing to work within the price range that I needed to be and their guy Joe out of Fort Myers was awesome. I actually was gonna to pull out because I thought at first the estimate was really high and we were going to do a pod instead. But Joe was able to work with us and we went back to the list again. We sold some of our furniture that we didn't need to bring with us. And when I was concerned about storage, which was a big thing because the closing dates of both homes didn't coincide at first, Joe said they would work with me on that too and we didn't end up having any storage. I was able to close both houses within two days and they were there on the next day.

During the move, we were really prepared. We needed a little bit more packing and that ended up a couple of hundred more dollars over what we had estimated. But I understood that there were some things that we just kind of like, "Okay, we're done." And I was told at the beginning that my packing was going to be a bit over and I was okay with it. The person who assisted me was very professional, kind and helpful. I called Joe a couple of times because I had concerns and he eased my mind. The person who dealt with the actual movers and the scheduling was on top of all of it in the communication. Everybody was great.

John, the contractor that did the moving, was awesome and was very thorough. All the movers were very careful with everything and we didn't have any issues with any of our furniture or anything being scratched or broken. They were just very nice people. Everything really worked out well and the quote that Joe worked with me was right on.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Rebecca, thank you for trusting our company with your move despite your anxiety. Here at Colonial, we strive to impress and deliver excellence. Please be sure to tell your family and friends about us as word of mouth is obviously a huge factor in maintaining a good reputation and being able to keep our promises. Good luck and thank you again!

Original review: April 11, 2018

This company moved my items from Louisiana to Wisconsin. We had signed for a non-binding estimate but when they showed up with our items, they said the moving costs increased 60% and we had one hour to pay 100% of the new total or they would lock our items in storage. This act is in violation of federal law. When we attempt contact with this unethical company, all they want to do is shift blame to anyone possible as long as they don’t have to take personal accountability for their actions.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I did a cross-country move and I liked Colonial Van Lines’ price and availability. The account manager was very helpful throughout the whole process and I would recommend them.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Janice, I am thrilled we were able to make the entire moving experience for you seamless from beginning to end! Thank you again for trusting us with your move and enjoy your new home!

Original review: April 11, 2018

Colonial's moving process was fine. Compared to other companies, their price is a little better and that's why I decided to move through them. I only had three items to be picked up and somebody along the way told me they had to be boxed, so I took care of that. My brother-in-law met the movers at the house for the pick-up. The driver was by himself but he got things in the house and put them in place with no problem. The items were delivered the next day, but it was late in the evening, so I felt uncomfortable about it. Although the driver asked if it was okay to deliver it in the evening, and that was fine. I didn't think about the fact that I had to give him a credit card and his office wasn't open so I had to give him all my information, including the billing address and codes. Colonial followed up well but I kept getting numerous calls about things, more than necessary. Other than that, everything went very smoothly.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2018

This company has unscrupulous business practices. They took our money and failed to provide quality service or experience. We've called multiple times and have been told repeatedly we will receive a call back to resolve our concerns. I received a response from the company on another post stating they couldn't find record of me or the move. I should call and clarify. I've completed their request. Turns out the name was misspelled in spite of my originally spelling it for the CSR. Then I was put on hold for 30 min before the line was disconnected. Still waiting for that callback and have no hope I'll get it. They have a favorable rating on this site but elsewhere on the web their reviews are poor. Consumers should beware of Colonial Van Lines.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hello, I have located your account and would like the opportunity to address this. We take great pride in our high level of service and this situation as described is not the standard we would like to be set. I have tried to reach out to you via phone and email with hopes of resolving your issues. Could you reach out to me at your earliest convenience so that we can work this out? I am the Director of Customer Experience and can be reached at (888) 866-5826, I look forward to hearing from you

Original review: April 10, 2018

I had been in Denver for four years to be near part of my family there. Then, I came back home and I had to move from Colorado to Pennsylvania. I talked to Demetria from Colonial Van Lines and we had good interactions. The quote she gave me seemed high and they added on to it later on, but they were upfront about that. Also, they said there would be communication after they picked up my stuff in Denver and when they'd finally arrive in Pennsylvania. I was told they would inform me when they would be changing trucks during the process and I really heard nothing. But my reception in Pennsylvania and my cellphone were not great, so they may have tried. Still, I had to make a few calls to find out where they were and about when they might arrive. And when they did, a number of my furniture pieces had little chips and the kitchen chair legs were bent in, probably from where they wrapped those too tightly.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Colonial Van Lines gave me a fast response compared to other relocation companies. It was convenient. I was moving from Virginia to Oregon for work, and I already packed everything. So, I just wrote down how many boxes and furniture I have for the moving coordinator. And then the movers came into my storage and moved my stuff within half hour. It was really professional and quick.

Colonial Van Lines response

At Colonial Van Lines, we pride ourselves on customer satisfaction. We are pleased to know that you had a great time moving with us. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Original review: April 9, 2018

Colonial Van Lines had the lower quote among the companies that I talked to. Their reps were also very helpful and very good. But I had some difficulty understanding if they got what I told them about the conditions at the house. I told them about ice in the driveway but I never got any callbacks about it and that was kind of worrisome to me. However, all my things got loaded and the move took a long time. Then, there were some water damage when I received them and I didn't file a claim for that because I took too long. Other than that, everything was fine.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Colonial Van Lines is a good choice. I also liked that they were charging according to the weight instead of the space. I submitted a request for quotes through their website and they reached me in a few days. They wanted me to get an estimate of the amount of stuff I was moving and the time to move, then they gave me an initial quote which was fair. But later, because I got more stuff, they updated the quote and it became more expensive than what I expected but it was still reasonable.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Mingjie, We are thrilled that your moving experience was a great one as this is the standard we like to set. We aim to make the process as easy and stress free for you as possible. Thank you again and good luck in your new journey!

Original review: April 8, 2018

I had to move my dad from California to Texas and Colonial Van Lines was the first one that I came to online. I was selling his house out in the state so I didn’t have time to shop around, but I’m very satisfied with the move. They did a great job, especially the movers. Same guys packed and unpacked and they were very professional. My dad is in the nursing home by now. My only complaint was they were supposed to be here within a certain window and they were three days late, but that’s not a big issue. I know it wasn’t a huge move. We didn’t have a lot of furniture but I understand the logistics. I’d recommend them because I’m retired military and I’ve had several moves, and not all of them are good.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Tandy. Thank you for being a customer of Colonial Van Lines and trusting us with your dads move.Here at Colonial, we strive for excellence and professionalism as we understand how important and stressful every detail of moving can be. We apologize for the delay in your delivery window. Were you compensated for that? We will investigate this to make sure that these issues are remedied and hope that you can trust us again in the future with another move or to recommend to others. Thank you

Original review: April 8, 2018

I was moving and the company that I worked for asked me for some quotes. We decided to pick Colonial Van Lines for the budget and my interactions with their reps were pretty good. I had some questions and they answered truthfully. The process also seemed quick and the quote they gave me was good because it was comprehensive of everything. Then, I ended up paying less. I moved 1,800 miles and there were the people who packed everything, which took about four hours, and the ones who delivered my things at my destination were the same. Also, both Colonial and the actual movers called me when they were on their way and how far they were. All in all, I would recommend the company because it was a very easy process.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Paola! I'm happy to hear we were able to meet your expectations and also maintain a clear line of communication with you. Here at Colonial, we strive for excellence and professionalism as we understand how important and stressful every detail of moving can be. Thank you again & good luck!

Original review: April 8, 2018

My parents were selling their house and I was taking the furniture from their house in Pittsburgh to mine in Washington, D.C. That was more than 350 miles and four and half hours away. There was ease of use of the website with Colonial Van Lines and I liked the quote process and the availability of time and date. Their rep was very helpful explaining to me the process and what they needed. It was a generally positive experience.

The only negative was that I was asked the day before to have some cash available on the Pittsburgh side of the move for the drivers to eat and pay tolls and gas. This wasn't disclosed to me the night before the move. I had to have my mother go to the ATM which was a little inconvenient. But they then discounted that money from the total so it wasn't anything improper. It was just that I was picking it up from my mother and bringing it to me so I was gonna to pay everything. Other than that, they did well. And with the two guys who handled it with my mother, it was very complimentary and they did a great job. They did a great job here as well.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you Christopher, I am thrilled we were able to make the entire moving experience for you seamless from beginning to end!

As far as the unprofessionalism on the movers end, we do apologize but also am happy that they were logical with taking the amount off of your balance. We will make sure to address these issues with the movers so that this will not turn into a future issue.

Thank you again for trusting us with your move and enjoy your new furniture!

Colonial Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

• FMCSA authorized movers: The company only hires FMCSA movers to move customers' belongings, so they are sure to pick a qualified and credentialed company to handle customers' items.

• Fast estimates: Colonial Van Lines can provide customers with quotes for their move just minutes after speaking on the phone for the first time.

• Educational information: Colonial Van Lines provides easy-to-access educational information regarding rights, responsibilities, insurance and more via their website, making it an approachable resource for customers who are moving.

• Wide network: Colonial Van Lines works throughout the entire United States, so they can find a moving provider no matter where a customer lives or where they are moving.

• Discounted moving supplies: The company offers customers discounted packages of moving supplies, including boxes, packing material and tape, to make their move more affordable and convenient.

• Best for: Corporations, households, individuals and busy professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Colonial Van Lines questions and answers

What problem is Colonial Van Lines trying to solve?
Colonial Van Lines is always striving to improve the way we conduct business, in particular the level of service and professionalism we provide to our customers.
What sets Colonial Van Lines apart from the competition?
We have been operating in the Moving and Storage industry for 15 years and we are constantly evolving new technology to improve the way moving is conducted. We offer a 1 to 2 ratio, which means there is one Support Staff for every two sales personnel.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We are a relocation company that specializes in the transport of automobiles and household goods. What sets us apart from the competition is that we have been in business for 15 years. The prices that we offer are competitive as a result of our business plan and volume.
How does Colonial Van Lines measure success?
We measure success based on the return on investment, retention, repeat customers and number of positive reviews.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the moving industry?
The most common misconception within the moving industry is that all movers are bad, which is why there are such large numbers of companies going the self-service route.
How is your company going to evolve in the next 5 years?
As a company we are looking to evolve within the next year with some technology developments.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Colonial Van Lines?
Consumers should know that we truly try to do the right thing for all our customers. We are not Scammers and our employees are good people, there is no need to bash them on the internet.
How has Colonial Van Lines grown or evolved?
We have grown considerably over time. A few years ago we were focused primarily on volume, but realized that was not our best approach. We have done a good job on settling into our equilibrium point.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information