2. Movers

Margate, FL

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.25/5

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (6)
BOTTOM LINE

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

PROS
  • Rents portable moving containers
  • Free, instant quotes
  • Easy booking process
CONS
  • No local moves
  • No international moving services

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

… They just hustled. There wasn't a thing damaged and nothing was lost. My family moved from California to Massachusetts to Houston, Texas. We're familiar with movers and they were an excellent crew. We were really impressed and we would use them again.

… The coordinator was thorough. Things changed once we got stuff loaded and reweighed, but there was constant communication. If anything changed, it was easy to call them and fix stuff… It was also nice to know that people are always checking in on us.

Colonial Van Lines Get a Quote

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. The company is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, it has the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
  • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
  • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
  • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines' relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines costs

Colonial Van Lines pricing depends on your location and the weight of your belongings. Movers charge additional fees for express delivery, additional moving insurance and storage. Expect to pay more if the movers have to park more than 75 feet from your doorway or if they have to navigate stairs. We were quoted a range from $1,550 to $3,100 to move the contents of a three-bedroom house from Chicago to Houston when booking two months in advance.

Colonial Van Lines now offers a free in-home moving services app to help. You can upload pictures and videos of your household goods and request special services through your phone, and a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides a quote. You can also order packing materials and access moving tips and checklists through the app.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
Many Colonial Van Lines complaints are left by customers who were annoyed that their estimate was lower than what they actually ended up paying. In some cases, initial estimates were more than $1,000 off. Colonial Van Lines’ pricing can fluctuate from the original quote for a variety of reasons:
  • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could account for a change in the final cost of a move.
  • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and, therefore, the cost of moving.
  • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than they initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for the labor.
  • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to charge extra when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet or if they have to climb stairs.
How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?
You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with the company. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straightforward:
  1. Request information by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
  2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, the date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
  3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobile app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
  4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust any aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues.
Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. Keep in mind, however, that it may be more difficult to make a claim against Colonial Van Lines for a damaged valuable if you packed it yourself.
What is the Colonial Cubes moving container service?
Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for both do-it-yourself and full-service packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,500 pounds.

Colonial Cubes can be a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Chicago
  • Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
  • Garner, N.C.
  • Killeen, Texas
  • Los Angeles
  • Sacramento, Calif.
  • Seattle
  • Wyckoff, N.J.

Is Colonial Van Lines a good moving company?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, it can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. The family-owned company has over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry. The business claims to facilitate 12,000 moves each year. Overall, most of the company’s reviews and ratings are positive.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I liked Colonial's price per pound. They were accurate. All I had to do was pack my boxes and someone would pick them up for me, and then they described what services they can provide in terms of additional packing. Whatever I named, they had an answer for it. So, if I had to have picture frames packed, they prepared for that, or if there were appliances involved, they were prepared for that. It was basic. You can tell that when you ship with Colonial, there is not a lot of overhead, and they do less than truckload brokerage. What I had is an entire truck to myself and I had three people working to cart myself out of the house. All that for $1 a pound, and they were at the destination within three days of departure. That is like FedEx-ing your stuff.

One thing where people get confused or have after-moving complaints is that their estimate of weight is off. What I did was, because of COVID, I cheated a bit. I had a North American Van guy come out and do a weight estimate because those still do in-person estimates. Then, I took his labor and work and then supplied that bid to Colonial. That is because they came in at a different price because they don't offer in-person weight estimates. So, as a consumer, you look at your refrigerator and you know it's heavy, but you have no idea if it's 300 or 550 pounds. The weight estimate is what is key. And I've looked at people complain about Colonial is that because after their stuff was dropped off, the truck is weighed in route, and then they get an accurate assessment of what they are actually going to be charged for shipment. So, if there was a way that they could supply consumers an accurate way to estimate weights.

If consumers are going to move appliances, stove is this, washer is that, dryer is that, movers should have an idea. And then, that way, the person can plug and play and go, "Okay, this is what my calculated weight is, and I'm going to use all medium boxes from Home Depot." Then, it's incumbent upon them to come up with a standard weight of what they are going to sew into each box, and then multiply that by a number of boxes, and then they would have a formatted way to say, "I'm going to have a weight within 15%." So, when the Colonial driver shows up and says, "Okay, this is your final bill," they are not surprised. There was one person, I read their complaint where they were 4,500 pounds off. I could easily have done that. I could have lowballed my weight by 2,500 pounds and go, "Wow, I'm surprised," because you don't know until they finally get there. But I used that North American Van Lines estimate.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

The first time that the coordinator was supposed to call, she didn't. The next time I talked to her, the news was better than I thought in terms of when stuff was gonna arrive, which was very pleasing. They told me that the arrival time could be upwards to two weeks and it only took five days, which was great. But I was not satisfied with the initial pickup.

The actual day that the stuff was picked up from my storage unit was a bit iffy. The driver said he'd be there in half an hour and it was two hours since I had to have somebody else be there because I had to be in my other state at the house closing. If he had told me it was going to be two hours, then I wouldn't have sent the guy over as early as I had. My friend had to sit for an hour and a half with nobody arriving. If you're gonna be late, then say you're gonna be late, as opposed to “We’re gonna be there on time,” and not be. With the arrival of the actual truck at the house, they called and said they'd be there in 45 minutes and they were here in that amount of time. So the back end of that was fine.

I lost some items but I didn't feel I could put in a claim form because I wasn't there to be sure that they got loaded up. So that was a bit disappointing. There was a box of kitchen stuff that can be replaced, but there were a couple art pieces that can't be replaced. The move cost a whole lot more than I thought, because of the amount of packaging that they felt they needed to do. When I packed everything away into my storage unit, I wasn't assuming it was gonna go directly onto a truck. So I knew there were things that they were going to feel the need to put into additional boxes and what they put into extra packages meant that all arrived corralled. I would start with Colonial again if I were to move again because I know that they respond. That was a big thing because I had a list and I kept calling phone numbers and I got machines and I got people who didn't return messages. Colonial picked up the damn phone. It's almost that simple.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Colonial was cheaper than the other options available and they had earlier dates. I did an estimate online and I got an email response right away. They were very prompt. Within two email exchanges, I got a phone call and they answered all my questions. They were able to tell me how much the deposit was and they were willing to hold the estimated amount for 24 hours so that I could gather the money. They were really understanding.

This was amidst the COVID situation and they were even understanding in that. Other moving companies kept pushing me back because the pickup was in New York City and it was during the highest point of COVID. Colonial didn’t think twice about it, which was amazing under the circumstances. It’s bad enough I'm dealing with a family death, but to then deal with concern for my mother and having to deal with this move, so when I say they were awesome, they were awesome.

They came in for the pickup and all my mom had to do was point and they packed up everything. They had a one-bedroom apartment packed in maybe five hours and was loading it onto the truck. Once they got to Tennessee, which is where I am, to drop it off, they were the nicest. They kept me posted in case they were gonna be late because they started to run into traffic as they got closer to Nashville. But they got here on the time they said they were gonna get here and they unloaded pretty quickly.

They asked if they could play music, which I had no problem with. They used a covering on their feet to come in and out of my house and they wiped down stuff when they were taking it off the truck. They really did what they were supposed to do and they were friendly about it too. I really appreciated that. Also, there was a piece of furniture I thought I wanted in one place and then decided I wanted it in another. They were nice enough to move it for the second time. They put everything together. I'm sure I'll be using them again in December because my son is moving into his own apartment in January in Florida. They definitely got a customer. For as long as I need to move, I'll call them first.

Original review: July 6, 2020

Colonial Van Lines fit into my schedule because it was kind of short notice and they were the only ones that were willing to come on such short notice. Their service was awesome. I'm prior military so I've done a lot of moves. I'm normally very skeptical of companies because after I got out, I had some kind of bad moves with some companies, so I was really skeptical with this company just the same way. However, when I put in for the quote and they gave me the quote back, I had somebody call me. I had somebody email me to make sure everything was okay. Then that person went over all the products and all the goods that I had in the house. They made suggestions as to what they could do and what they can't do. Then they told me, "Hey, we'll follow up with you on this and this day." I didn't get a follow-up call like two days ahead of the pick-up date so I was kinda worried.

However, on the day before the pick-up, I did get a call back. They assured me, "Hey, the driver is gonna be here. We spoke to him. He might be a little late coming in because he's in Arizona. He's coming to Arizona, and he said something about the COVID. They were stopping them a little longer,” which was fine. So, I was happy about that. The driver was able to get through whatever the process was way earlier than the time. He did call me. He said, "Hey, is it okay if I come now? We're here. You know, they let us through. If not, I could go sit at the rest stop and wait for the time." I told him he could come.

He came and got all the stuff packed in less than an hour. I was telling him I had to be on the road. I was driving from Arizona to Florida, which is a long drive. When he came to pick up my stuff, I still was like, "This is just too good to be true." I envisioned something to happen. That was my thought process the whole time. I did tell the driver, "Look, I don't know when you're gonna get to Florida, but I want to stop a couple of days in Texas by my family." He said, "Hey, no problem." He's got to go somewhere. He's got to make some other pick-ups. He was like, "I'll call you and I'll let you know when I'm bringing your stuff.” He did call me. One thing that I had told him was I was gonna drop the stuff off at the house. When he called me, I said, “I’m sorry. The stuff was supposed to be dropped off at my storage, which is close to the house.” He said, “Hey, no problem, ma’am. Can I get them at the storage.”

When he dropped off my stuff, he even helped me repack my storage because my daughter and I were just throwing crap in there. He actually fixed the stuff. They quoted me the price and I paid the one half and then I had to pay the other half at drop-off. When I went to pay, he told me that what I had was way less. So it went down. He said that it was less so I paid less. To me, it was a good experience. I was happy. When I spoke to the people at Colonial, I asked, “Who are you? I need to understand.” And they were telling me and explained to me they’re not a broker. They are the company and they have all these different sections. The person who I made the reservation with turned me over to the person who was responsible for the truck guy. And then I also had a person who was responsible for the entire move. So, I had people to contact.

Original review: July 4, 2020

We sold our house in New Jersey and moved to Florida. We moved part of our stuff to Mississippi then part of our stuff down to Florida. We did that ourselves. I went on ConsumerAffairs and Colonial was listed in the top five. At first, the prior estimate they gave was a little low. They really need to have somebody come out and do the estimate, instead of trying to do it over the phone. It's because their ability to be able to see something and have it transferred into weight is a little difficult. I had somebody come out and do that then I forwarded that to Colonial. They partially used that information but the quote still came out more. Colonial is trying to do something different where the industry normally has somebody come out and do a visual. They're usually within maybe $500 difference but this one was way different. This was thousands of dollars difference.

The people who assisted during the move were pretty good. They called me to let me know when the driver was gonna be in the area. I gave the number to the driver to make sure that he called me and I got his number to make sure that I was in place for him to come out and deliver. The coordination was pretty good. And at the time of pickup and delivery, we were prepared.

The load crew who came out and packed were excellent. They were very fast. But whoever did the estimate on the boxes, underestimated the boxes on the wardrobes so they had to improvise. They didn't have enough of the metal bars. They had to run a piece of tape back and forth to create a bar. And whatever they had for wardrobe, they just folded it up and put in a box. We were kind of a little disappointed with that especially my wife was since it was mostly her clothes that got done that way.

But the estimate on the wardrobe boxes was the only thing that I felt that was not done well. I gave them their competitor's quote when they came out. I also told them over the phone, "Here's what they estimated." They might have underestimated the wardrobes. If they had visually looked at it, they probably would have said, "Yeah, I probably need about this many," because those guys are pretty well on target. You usually do 10% or 15% more. They'll bring maybe three or four extra boxes just in case.

Otherwise, I'd most definitely recommend Colonial. I would've used them for my son. He moved a month or two before us and I used Purple Heart movers. It was the most horrible experience of my life and my son's life. The movers dropped and broke stuff. They also lost stuff. No wonder they never came back to ask me for recommendations because they knew they would get a bad one. They were horrible. I don't know who Purple Heart contracted out to do the move, but they were the worst. They were also trying to extort money out of my son because of the flights of stairs. Colonial, on the other hand, did such a good job.

Original review: April 28, 2021

My mother-in-law told me that Colonial was a really great company. She gave me the phone numbers and I set it up from there. They were really nice. They did it step-by-step because it was my first time doing it ever with a company like that and they helped me through it. They explained everything in great detail and they did really well. The crew was really nice and respectful. It was really quick because we used to have a really small apartment. So, he was in and out of there in an hour. My mother-in-law actually gave me the wrong address for the storage unit and they were willing to work with me on that too and that was really nice. They didn't charge me extra for getting the locations right. Their cost was also really affordable. 'Cause they split it up through three different payments and it was a lot easier to do it that way than take out a whole $2,000 at once. They were a really good company to work with. They were fast and efficient too.

Colonial Van Lines response

Savannah, thank you for sharing your experience with us - the feedback is greatly appreciated.

Resolution response: May 6, 2021

Colonial Van Lines compensated me for damage to my furniture and a little more, so this was a fair resolution. Donna helped.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Over the phone, Colonial Van Lines estimated $3,100 for the move based on a table of weights for each item of furniture and $.75/lb shipping cost, but the actual cost was $5,100, because Colonial Van Lines underestimated the weight of my furniture by 50% (and there were extra boxes which caused about $500 of the actual the cost). Do not trust their estimate, unless you have cheap/lightweight furniture.

If I had known the actual cost, I would have hired a different mover that charged per item, not weight. Colonial Van Lines also subcontracted to a mover that was careless with my boxes, by stacking them high in the truck, and 5-10 of the boxes fell down. (Because their standard liability is only $.60/lb per item they have little liability for items in a box which weight very little. I have not yet unpacked these boxes.) There was some damage to most of my furniture. At the time of delivery, I did not notice a chunk broken off a foot of my expensive chest of drawers, and Colonial Van Lines refused to pay anything for the damage.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Absolutely one of the worst moving experiences I've ever had. We used Colonial for an out of state move in January 2021, and they broke a bunch of our stuff (including a TV and a computer monitor). We've filed a claim and they've come back with a resolution of a $150 for what equals to at least thousands of dollars of damages. And now they are invoking all forms of legalese to not cover the damages. Really really disappointed and surprised at the way they've handled it. Furthermore, the movers they worked with (specifically the ones that moved our stuff to the new destination) were rude and gave us attitude for reasonable requests (i.e. for moving items that aren't too heavy into carpeted rooms, please don't use a dolly).

I know you will be tempted by their price as they are pretty competitive, but with Colonial, I learned you truly get what you pay for. Pay the extra money for professional, respectful movers who won't break your stuff (and for your peace of mind). We're currently exploring possibly avenues to get an equitable resolution from them (i.e. lodging a complaint with the Better Business Bureau). Will update if anything changes and if anyone has questions about our experience with Colonial, do let me know. In summary, don't do it!

Original review: April 19, 2021

Don't use this fraudulent company! Colonial Van Lines treated us horribly throughout our move from New Jersey to California. The items that were taken apart and put back together were badly damaged by the driver. For example, bicycle pedal and tires were taken off 3 expensive bicycles and now the brakes don’t work and cherry wood office desk furniture was put back together with the screws drilled from the bottom of the desktops all the way through to the top of the cherry wood top putting at least 4 huge holes in the top! There were 1,010 pounds of overflow because of the way our things were packed with a ridiculous amount of wasted cotton-backed paper was used and only one little picture was often found inside and the box was labeled “LR”.

Wet towels were not to be packed but were found wrapped around electronics and used as padding along with my husband’s t-shirts and underwear, and over 100 boxes were not labeled or were mislabeled. We have complained throughout this process and gotten lip service. Items Colonial disassembled were not put back together at our destination because the parts were not put in the Parts Box. Items that should not have been taken apart, like a tapper from a vintage Galliano bottle valued at $350, are now valued at nothing because most of the parts were torn apart and thrown away. We only found the top part of the tapper but not the cork in the trash! We paid for this move already and were forced to pay an additional $1807.97, as if this overflow was a second move. I am livid about all of the items broken and how I was berated and how this company refuses to comply with their contract.

They moved us in late December, 2020 and I am still trying to get compensation, and it’s mid-April, 2021. The office manager, wants us to sign a false statement with the inaccurate Job Number (the first job number of 905903, which we paid over $26,000 for already). That was the "main move" that filled a 53' truck. They agreed to refund us for the "Overflow Move" which was 1,010 lbs. (Job Number 911743), for $1807.97. However, the office manager refuses to put the accurate Job Number on our refund document!! She insists on putting the main move Job Number on the refund document, and that is fraud! That way, Colonial wipes their hands of any future damages or claims from our main move. That is just wrong! They need to correct this refund document to be accurate. They also said we have to remove all negative reviews we have posted. Well, we have First Amendment rights! I guess I will have to take them to court!

Original review: April 18, 2021

I would definitely recommend Colonial. The rep explained everything very well and answered any questions that I had. They always made sure to keep me informed so I wasn't lost wondering what would happen next. They always let me know if there were any changes. The final pricing was accurate. I didn’t think there were any hidden fees.

Colonial Van Lines response

Natasha, we're happy to hear your awesome feedback!

Colonial Van Lines Company Information