Margate, FL

4.2/5 (290 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… They just hustled. There wasn't a thing damaged and nothing was lost. My family moved from California to Massachusetts to Houston, Texas. We're familiar with movers and they wer...

Verified

… The coordinator was thorough. Things changed once we got stuff loaded and reweighed, but there was constant communication. If anything changed, it was easy to call them and fix ...

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. The company is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, it has the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
    • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
    • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
    • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines' relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
    Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
    Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
    Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines costs

Colonial Van Lines pricing depends on your location and the weight of your belongings. Movers charge additional fees for express delivery, additional moving insurance and storage. Expect to pay more if the movers have to park more than 75 feet from your doorway or if they have to navigate stairs. We were quoted a range from $1,550 to $3,100 to move the contents of a three-bedroom house from Chicago to Houston when booking two months in advance.

Colonial Van Lines now offers a free in-home moving services app to help. You can upload pictures and videos of your household goods and request special services through your phone, and a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides a quote. You can also order packing materials and access moving tips and checklists through the app.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
    Many Colonial Van Lines complaints are left by customers who were annoyed that their estimate was lower than what they actually ended up paying. In some cases, initial estimates were more than $1,000 off. Colonial Van Lines’ pricing can fluctuate from the original quote for a variety of reasons:
    • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could account for a change in the final cost of a move.
    • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and, therefore, the cost of moving.
    • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than they initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for the labor.
    • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to charge extra when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet or if they have to climb stairs.
    How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?
    You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with the company. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straightforward:
    1. Request information by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
    2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, the date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
    3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobile app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
    4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust any aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
    Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
    It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues.
    Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
    Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. Keep in mind, however, that it may be more difficult to make a claim against Colonial Van Lines for a damaged valuable if you packed it yourself.
    What is the Colonial Cubes moving container service?
    Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for both do-it-yourself and full-service packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,500 pounds.

Colonial Cubes can be a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Chicago
    • Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
    • Garner, N.C.
    • Killeen, Texas
    • Los Angeles
    • Sacramento, Calif.
    • Seattle
    • Wyckoff, N.J.

Is Colonial Van Lines a good moving company?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, it can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. The family-owned company has over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry. The business claims to facilitate 12,000 moves each year. Overall, most of the company’s reviews and ratings are positive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: April 5, 2022

I was in the process of getting bids from different companies when I was in Myrtle Beach and Colonial happened to pop up on my computer. I checked on them and did a little bit of background check. I ended up calling them. Their rep was very cordial. I've moved enough times that I can tell when somebody is trying to pull some wool. He was surprised that I was able to come back to him with some things about the trucking industry. He backed up and regrouped when told him I drove a tractor-trailer for seven years across the country. He knew that he couldn't bamboozle me.

The rep was trying to do me a favor and the driver was wanting to come in early. He told dispatch not to let them come in. They dropped the ball and never called me to tell me that they wouldn't be there. I stayed up most of the night to try to finish getting everything packed and ready to go. I ended up sitting there waiting for a whole day. When I called and talked to him, he owned up to it right away. He said, “That's totally on me. I did that. I didn't think you would be ready.” But I am always ready when the truck shows up.

The two guys that came out were very nice. One was very accommodating and he helped me out with a few things, which I told him ahead of time. One was with my TV. It was a big TV and it was too big for me and too heavy for me to handle by myself. I have the box here and I needed somebody to help me pick up the TV and put it in the box. Once he saw that I needed the help, he that was not my job. He and his helper put it in the box and they padded it very well. I had some glass and he was really afraid to take it because he was afraid it was going to get broken. I said, “If you wrap it in your pads, even if you have to wrap it twice, it should be fine. Unless you set something on top of it or it just literally falls without the padding, then we’re gonna have an issue.” He padded it.

They were there at 8 o'clock in the morning and were done by 2 o'clock. I had everything boxed up and ready to go for the most part. I had enough phone numbers for the different people. They made sure that I had enough people that I could contact. To make sure that even if I couldn't get ahold of one I wanted, I had somebody else that I could contact then they could do their thing inside the building with whoever it was that I needed to talk to. I had the driver’s cell number as well.

When he loaded up, he said, “I live in Virginia, would you mind if I took an extra day and went home to see my kids for at least 24 hours?” That was fine with me. My husband and I drove cross country so I understand. I was not here when he showed up. But he called me and he said, “I'm here. Can I start unloading?” I said I would be there in about five minutes. When I got here, they already started unloading. I was running back and forth. I assumed I had everything. It took them five hours to load and two hours to unload.

On the whole, there were a few little issues, but nothing that I was going to complain about. The one thing that threw me for a curve was there were three of them unloading the truck and they had me busy running back and forth between the truck and here in the house. One of them hit one of the corners on the doorways and knocked the drywall off the corner about the size of a quarter and they didn't tell me about it. They were gone by the time I saw it. It wasn't the end of the earth and it wasn’t life-threatening. But it put a sour taste in my mouth. It would have been better if they had just said, “We had an accident. This is what we just did. We want you to know about it.”

Elaine,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. I want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

They're really good. Chad was very straightforward and honest. I probably wouldn't have gone with Colonial if it weren’t for that guy. We set up the move. There was a new person that was my communication person and she was good. The reason that I was using all this, my mother went into a coma with a rare condition and I had to move her up from Miami. While I was managing her care in the hospital, I was having to move her out of the house I grew up in, 3,000 square foot home, and figure out what goes and what doesn't. So I was stressed out, I drove them nuts. I was always like, “Nobody called me. What the hell is going on?” But they already had everything covered along the way and they did a good job.

The guy that came to move me was really professional. At first, I was freaked out. I was like, “Dude, how's one guy going to do this?” But then I suddenly figured out really quickly that he had everything he needed. It was easy for him. He did it. I don't even know if he broke a sweat. He was also really polite and professional. It was somebody that you're okay with handling your stuff.

The price was also lower than what they told me it was going to be. Everything showed up well, too. There were little things here and there, but it wasn't really their fault. Sometimes, it's unavoidable. There was a standing mirror and something had cracked on it. But, it took me two minutes to fix it with the carpenter's glue and it's as good as new. Everything else arrived in one piece.

I also liked the fact that they used a smaller truck and kept it on that truck the whole way. I watched him and he was careful. Then when he got here, my wife said he was really careful getting it out. Everything was handled really well. They also got it there about a day early. The only thing is I would have gotten the extra insurance, but I had forgotten when to do that or the timing. But in hindsight, I would have just wasted 600 bucks or whatever it was, because nothing was broken. I was lucky I got a good company.

Good morning,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. I appreciate your taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. I want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Colonial handed me off from one person to another. They explained their role and then the next person I talked to did the next thing. It was fairly smooth though it was a little complicated talking to different people. Everybody I worked with was good with except the last person, Oliver who had self-esteem issues. The problem was that even though I had a contract, no one could tell me for sure that the movers were actually going to show up on the day that they needed to show up. They couldn't even tell me that until the morning they were supposed to show up. I was on a deadline and I had to go to closing and I didn't know until the morning they were coming that they were coming. No one could answer my questions.

Oliver would semi-argue with anything we said. He told me a bunch of stuff and I would summarize. Then he would say, "I didn't use those words." He got very defensive, like I was trying to put words in his mouth. It was a very frustrating couple of days. I would tell him what I needed to tell him and then he would just use glib phrases. He would say, "That's not an internal policy," or, "I don't answer those kinds of questions." I finally started talking to him like I was his boss and I said, "You will tell me. Someone there will tell me today if the movers are coming tomorrow. I have a real estate contract and it'll be in violation of that contract, and you're going to call and tell me today. And your movers better show up tomorrow morning."

Oliver was still talking about how the move may be given out to a third party. I said, "You're not doing that. You're sending a Colonial Van Lines truck with Colonial Van Lines people." And that is exactly what happened. But I don't believe that if I didn't get very, very forceful with him that they would have shown up on time on the day I needed them. Oliver may have been a minion at the end of the chain of events and really had no say-so, but he didn't know how to convey that he was just citing other people's facts. If he was my employee, I would've fired him the second time I heard him talk to a customer like that. When push come to shove and he couldn't answer my question, he got very unprofessional and very defensive and there's no reason for that.

Good morning,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us how your move experience was. Your concerns have been addressed and we want to thank you for your time. Have a great weekend.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Colonial Van Lines was the second company that came out and said, “It's gonna be probably half the price.” And I'm like, “Okay.” And mom decided to go with them. With the first guy that we dealt with, Nicholas, Mom said it went fabulous. Moving day was scheduled for the 26th. When it came a week prior, anxiety was through the roof. I knew that they would call me a week prior. But I was getting nervous because I had not heard anything. So I called and they said, “Oh, yeah. We've got you down for the 26th. You're all set. Somebody will call you. It's going to be okay. You're going to be all right. We're going to take care of you.” The Monday before the move, we flew down from Kentucky down to Florida. And they contacted us and they said, “They’ll be out there tomorrow to pack everything up and get everything loaded and move everything.”

When my anxiety was through the roof, it was as high as that airplane that I flew down to Florida in because mom had a lot of stuff. She's up there in age and can't do stuff by herself. I walked into her house but there was nothing done. It was a chaotic mess. I said, “Oh, my God, Are they going to be able to get this done in two days’ time?” The guy that came out and loaded everything had a magic wand. I don't know how he did it but he did it by himself. He was amazing. Not only was he a great worker, but he was a great human being. I told him straight up, “If you're ever in the Bowling Green area, you're passing through, please stop by and say hello because we really like you. You are a nice person.”

If you’re looking for movers to move you long distance, go with Colonial. I've talked to several people within the company and every single one of them went above and beyond to try to calm my anxieties and reassured me that they would take care of it. And they were good with the communication as far as letting us know what would happen and when. Mom was in a gated community. And she had to know when they would be there so she could let the people of the community know to come and open the gate for them. Everything was top-notch.

Good morning,

I am so happy to hear that your mom and you had a great move experience. Thank you for the kind words and I hope your mom enjoys her new home and I also hope you both have a great weekend ahead.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Colonial was a little bit wiser than the first company that I used. I looked for the 10 best moving companies and Colonial was about $1,000 more expensive than the other company had quoted. But in the end, I didn't want to be stranded again. Colonial had a much better and more supportive communication structure, where it started out with a coordinator, and the coordinator was great. Then they had a quality person walk me through it. I had a queen and full-size mattress, and I had already put them in plastic. But the moving people did a good job of putting another layer of plastic on them. They also went over every single one of my 60 totes and they taped them closed fully, which was really good.

One that thing that I was very impressed with Colonial was that after everything got picked up, they told me, "Oh, the exact price will depend on the real weight of your item." It's hard to estimate how heavy your stuff really is. But I get it. Trucks spend gas and weight is a big factor for them. So I was given one quote and they said, "Oh, depending on your weight though, it could be more." It was my best estimate, but I knew that that could change.

I got the phone call from the guys in the truck, telling me the weight. Then 15 minutes later, I got a phone call from the quality person telling me the weight of the stuff. I asked how much it would be, and then she connected to the finance person at Colonial. The finance person told me the price. I asked the same question to the truck driver but he said he didn't know the price and that he just knew the weight. But I was on the phone with the finance guy, and then the truck called me back and told me the price again. It's like their broker. For Colonial, even the guys doing the moving are contracted out. So, the guys who picked everything up didn't have logos for Colonial Van Lines. They have their own trucks. But their communication was really aligned and most importantly, the numbers all matched.

Even though there were four different people within a half-hour that were making sure everything was okay, in the end, they all had the same information. So, to the penny, I really appreciated that. Also, Colonial sent quite a few emails, telling me, "Hey, packing reminders, make sure you have this paperwork set aside," which didn't apply to me since I was already moved. But the whole time, I thought this would have been so great to have had Colonial Van Lines during my actual move instead of the first company that I used and then having to shove everything into a storage unit.

Original review: June 26, 2022

We moved from Texas to Florida and everything was good. Colonial picked up ahead of time and was helpful. We had to get here ourselves and we had a schedule, so they met our schedule. We didn't have anything broken, so the move went well.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. We want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: June 24, 2022

Being retired military, I have moved about every two years in the past 30 years. I decided to contract a move myself with Colonel Van Lines, the staff are high pressure and make worthless verbal promises. They showed up on at 10:30 on the last day of a three day window and went over a day packing until 7:00 pm. Had to argue to get reimbursed hotel and other costs the extra day caused. When delivered, items were missing that just met the insurance deductible of $1,300, so they basically had a license to steal from me. The only time the company was prompt was when I owed them money. I called customer service five times during the pickup window and never received a call back, but their billing company called to collect payment. I do not recommend this company.

Colonial Van Lines response

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I paid Colonial 10 grand to move me. The Colonial representative who did my estimate went through it with us. There were no surprises and it was largely because of how thorough she was on the front end. The people who came to move were very fast. They did a great job. I went from New Orleans, Louisiana to Knoxville, Tennessee. When all my stuff was delivered, not a single thing was broken, which was amazing. We had a little confusion about my delivery date toward the end. We were trying to buy a house on this end and I had told them one thing, but there was a miscommunication. But they straightened that out quickly and got our stuff to Tennessee. It was a very good experience and I would definitely recommend them to anybody who asked.

Brian,

Original review: June 11, 2022

I sent Colonial Van Lines a deposit and they arranged a time to come pick up and pack up the stuff. A couple of days later, the reps were already down in Florida with my stuff and helped me unload it where I needed it. The communication was good. They followed up a lot and the guy who was running the move was awesome. There was a mix up where they had moved my stuff and I already had it and then, three days later, someone reached out and said my stuff was on the way and they would let me know when it's there. But that's even overcommunicating. So, I have no complaints. The only thing that was surprising was the cost ended up being more than I expected it to be. It almost doubled. But they did set the expectations that it was gonna be by weight.

Anthony,

Original review: June 9, 2022

When I got out of the army, they used Colonial Van Lines to move us, and we had a good experience with them. This time, we were moving out of state and everything was great. The only issue we had was they didn't contact us when they were gonna be here until 12 hours beforehand. They told us they would contact us a couple of days ahead of time, but they didn't.

Eric,