Call toll free
4.12/5

Margate, FL

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
B+BBB Rating
View More View More

921 Colonial Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

The moving crew was very efficient, careful and polite. I only had one item broken which was likely due to my packing not their carelessness. The admin staff when making arrangements were able to schedule my move within a few days of my call. I had several follow up calls to ensure I was informed and prepared. I would highly recommend this company and especially the moving crew.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Please think twice if you are considering Colonial Van Lines as your moving company. I booked CVL almost 5 months in advance to avoid any last minute confusion as well as to ensure the move would go smoothly. When I booked the company, I saw there was a 48 hour time frame assigned for the move. I had to leave my residence on a specific date and I was assured by my agent that arrangements could be made for this date since I booked the move so far in advance. Initially, I was impressed by the number of detailed emails mapping out the expectations of the move. However, as the moving day approached, things fell apart.

The movers were several hours late for pick-up and was a battle to hear from the movers for ETA. At drop-off, the driver called me saying that he was on a tight schedule and was going to be arriving at 5 pm. I made arrangements to ensure I would be home for the drop-off and at 6 pm, they said they were 2 hours away. At 8 pm, they said they would not make it in time and they will instead be arriving at 9 am. The office at CLV was not even aware that the movers were coming on that day. Anyway, I again made arrangements to be there for the movers and they did not show up until noon.

Lastly, my furniture arrived damaged. I was counting on this company to communicate honestly and to help me successfully move to my new home. Their tardiness cost me greatly. The office and the movers communicate poorly. When I voiced my disappointment to the mover at the time of drop-off, he told me that dissatisfaction is something he hears often from customers and that he doesn't work for CVL! CVL contracts their movers and simply put "the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing". It is an absolute shame the experience was so terrible. I have 3 family members looking to move within the next year and unfortunately I can't recommend Colonial Van Lines.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I had a good experience with Colonial Van Lines. I had a timeframe and there was a big difference in their price compared to the other company that I called. Colonial said that they would offer to price match anything and they were very genuine as well. Also, the person I talked to from Colonial made me feel comfortable. However, since they gave me a much lower quote than it actually ended up being, I wouldn't go with them again. I paid them for the coordination of hooking me up with the company that did a great job. So I would just go straight to the company next time instead of using Colonial. I would also tell a friend that Colonial is really expensive.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Colonial Van Lines' reps were very thorough and good at explaining everything. The quote I got from them was very accurate. They followed up to make sure there were no changes. We had a couple of changes towards the end of the process but they made an adjustment and everything came in as expected. During the first move, my pickup was ready to go. But then during the second pick up, we were struggling to get their packing finished. Still, the drivers assisted us a bit on that and it all turned out fine.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I moved from Rochester, New York to Tampa, Florida and I used Colonial Van Lines to move my things. They picked up my stuff on Thursday, the 3rd of January, and they arrived on the 6th, a Sunday. They arrived at the house and started locking down the boxes. The only thing I would say was that I was not satisfied with the truck because it wasn’t decent inside. I wasn’t satisfied with the condition of the truck. I asked the mover if my stuff would get dirty in there, and they said they put something on the floor before they put the couches in it.

When they arrived at the destination, it wasn’t the same truck, which meant they had to take everything out and put it back in another truck. I didn’t have a place to put it, so I've put it in a storage. So moving it and putting inside the storage, the furniture was moved three times. I wasn’t happy with that because that will be hard on my furniture. I wasn't present when they've put everything inside the storage so I don't know the condition of my couches. When I got there, the storage was still open, and I saw my couches dirty. Keep in mind that they're brand new couches.

I pointed out to the mover that the couches were dirty and he said, “That was like that in the house.” I said, “No. My house was nice and clean. It's well vacuumed. I keep my house well kept. And they were clean when you moved out of my house, but they arrived dirty. And I wasn’t happy about that.” They should have a well-kept truck because they're moving people’s property, and it should be nice and kept clean. It had stuff like they were doing some kind of construction work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I did a move from LA to Dallas (1,500 miles) and it was cruel for a moving company to drive. The moving coordinators at Colonial Van Lines were friendly, and very communicative. The interaction I had with them was relatively pain-free and working with the account manager who assisted me during the move was a good experience. They were always checking in and the quote was accurate.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY... ESPECIALLY FOR SENIOR CITIZENS. We tried to use them to move my mother from Florida to Pennsylvania. They gave her an estimate that we thought was reasonable. However, they kept changing the day and time that they were going to pack her apartment. On the day of packing, they showed up around lunchtime. The packers did not seem to work for the moving company. They immediately said my mother had "extra" stuff and that the move was going to cost around $8000.00 more! We tried to figure out what was going on, but it was all so sketchy. We told my mom to tell the packers to leave, that we could not trust that they would complete the job and deliver her belongings for the price originally quoted. This company is not a reputable company. OH, and they will not, in good faith since they did not complete the move, return my mom's deposit.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I needed help with a big move and I spoke to two companies. Colonial Van Lines was one of them and their rate was better. They were a reputable company from what I could tell and they had some decent reviews. They've been doing moving for a while and it wasn't like a pod, where I was hiring two guys off the street to come and move my stuff. Nobody ever came to our house to help us assess what we had though. Colonial only spoke to us over the phone about it. I went through my house and I pointed at everything and I told them it was a four-bedroom house and they estimated it at around 10,300 pounds but it ended up being about 17, so it was a huge difference. This was my first time doing a big move and Colonial acted as if I should've known what I was doing. The price ended up a lot more because Colonial underestimated all of our stuff.

Colonial themselves didn't actually do the move. Even though I hired them almost 40 days before the move, they had another company come out and do it. The first company was great but because of the weight differential, not everything would fit on the first truck. They also told me the day before they came out, they were sending a semi, so they'd have plenty of space but they ended up sending out a 24-foot truck which could only fit about 70% of our stuff. So, then we had to meet the movers and have my mother-in-law stay, so she could wait for the next group of movers to come. They came a few days later and then we had our stuff a week after the first load was dropped off.

We had taken the doors off our large refrigerator to get it out of the house and one of the doors was dinged up and scratched up during the move. But other than that, the crew themselves were great. They were very nice and they were as careful as they could be with our stuff. We were doing a 17,000-pound service and some things are bound to hit and get scratched or dinged, so I was not too worried about it.

Colonial did a bad job in preparing me for what to expect though. They told us that they were packing everything but we ended up doing the packing. If I had a fake tree or a small end table, I'm not putting it in a box and I don't think about that. But Colonial told me that all loose items are needed to be packed in a box. No one even asked me if this was my first time moving. When we got on the phone with them about the truck, and they weren't very helpful during the time. They just told me to let the movers get everything on and see what they could do later. I was in the middle of moving all my stuff from one place to another and they were telling me to just wait. That was not what I wanted to hear.

They should've had somebody come out and assess everything and give us a better idea of what they felt we should be estimating and what kind of truck we should have. Then when we talked to them the day up, they told us that we would have to pay for that service. Number one, it wasn't even offered to me and number two, no one ever brought that up. I would've paid extra to make sure that if I had known how important that was at that time. It would just have been a lot nicer if everything could have been all at the same time, one move. One of Colonial’s supervisors ended up calling me a couple of days later and talked to me about the whole situation which made me feel better. It made me feel that they actually cared but I was really pissed off the whole time and so was my wife.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Because of the customer service I received over the phone with Colonial Van Lines I decided to ship with them during my relocation. I had put everything into storage, into pods in Colorado Springs and when I went to have them delivered to Arizona, I discovered they did not come anywhere close to the town that I’m living in. So I needed a moving van line to take everything off the pods and deliver it to my door. The first quote came in low but that was mainly because of my underestimation of my goods. And then a second quoter called and gave me a very close quote to what it ended up being. I was very satisfied and I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I got several quotes from moving companies and Colonial Van Lines came in at mid-range. I always go with the mid-range price. The Colonial Van Lines rep who I dealt with was awesome and very helpful. She called me on a Friday and asked if they could pick my stuff up a day earlier than I had asked, which was actually more convenient for me. It was the day after Christmas and I didn't ask for that day because I figured that would not be a good day for the moving company. But it worked out great. Colonial Van Lines was able to move me in using a small truck because where I was moving, it would not accommodate a large truck. They did not charge me extra for that. The account manager was good and he called me several times to see how things were going. I appreciated that.

With the help of the staff at Colonial, I was very prepared during the pick-up and delivery of my stuff. The expectations set by the rep were off but it was my fault. I estimated 30 boxes, and it turned out to be 40 something boxes, which was a lot more than I had anticipated. Nevertheless, the moving crew was very good. They came in within 15 minutes when they said they would be there. At the day that they delivered the stuff, they were here again within 15 or 30-minute timeframe of when they said they would be here. Colonial Van Lines was very good and I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

My experience with Colonial Van Lines was excellent. I moved from Massachusetts to Florida and everything went very smoothly. The sales rep helped me right through it and she was very knowledgeable. I was informed from the beginning until the end. It was amazing how fast it was from the time they picked everything up until the time it was delivered. Everything was perfect during delivery and the guy who took care of it was really good too. Colonial Van Lines is doing everything well and they should keep doing what they're doing. I'd definitely recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We were only moving a handful of pieces and Colonial Van Lines was more willing to be able to handle very small loads. Their basic start-up price was a little smaller too. Colonial is more like a jobber than running their own van lines, so they can find smaller companies that are willing to take a smaller load that's why it worked for us so well. The load went from Los Altos to Arizona and an even smaller load came from Los Altos, California to Toledo, Ohio area. The moving coordinator did an excellent job. Once the estimate was made and the number of things was counted, there were no additional charges.

They also did a great job wrapping things and not one thing was broken in either job when it arrived. All the groups of people were very polite and very business-like. They did a great job putting things back together for us, although communication was a little hard with R&R because they were not 24/7, so sometimes, I had to wait or email to get a hold of them. Through Colonial, however, I could usually get a hold of them a lot faster, even though there was really no reason, just estimates of when they might be here. The drivers were good about calling and giving us an estimate when they would be here. For the small loads, Colonial was a good company to go with and it worked well.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Once I got the process going and talked about my quote and the next steps, the people at Colonial were very helpful in pinpointing and being very clear in what to expect in each of the different areas of moving. They made moving very convenient especially with using the GetGo app to take pictures of everything. It helped put everything in perspective and in one place. Then their person was able to call me and kind of walk through each of the pictures to make sure that I didn't miss any of my items.

It was a long move from Florida to Maryland, but the thing that was really special and stood out was they had packing services too. That was very nice and it wasn't that much of an additional cost, so I had them do the packing as well. The setup was great although it was kind of difficult because there were so many different people to touch points with. We had one person who initiated the quote, and then another person who helped me in between the move and the actual move date. One person was my contact for the move date as well as the mover, and then there were the budgeting people. It got confusing. If I had questions, I wasn't sure who to reach out to. Although Colonial was always good about putting me in contact with the correct person, having a main contact person from beginning to end would be very helpful so nothing gets missed through the cracks.

There were times when tensions got a little high, but that was just the stress of moving. The date for my move got pushed back because their truck was not working, and then I had requested a smaller truck because one, I didn't have a lot of stuff, and two, I wasn't sure if they would be able to fit in certain areas for where I was moving. But they didn't send the correct size of the truck, so they had issues getting into certain spaces for the move. The services were very accurate, nevertheless, and the move was very easy and fast. The people who had packed up my stuff did a really great job. I have some furniture that is kind of antique, and they were careful with it. Overall, it was a very efficient experience for a pretty decent price, so definitely, I would recommend Colonial.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We were making a two-state move. The lady rep that I originally dealt with at Colonial Van Lines was very clear about the moving services that they were providing. The moving coordinator's thoroughness and straightforwardness sold me on Colonial. She explained the way they did the move and she was not sales pitchy but just honest. As for the moving crew, they were very gentlemanly, courteous, professional, and thorough. The only issue I had was that they said they would be there at a certain time and they were an hour late both times, but they called to let us know that they were gonna be late. Despite that, their service was great so that was not a big deal. In fact, I just referred Colonial to somebody else who moved here.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was moving a car and items from my home from Colorado to Oregon. Donna, the coordinator that I was on the phone contact with, was great. She was in touch and always communicating. She would call me and let me know if there were any updates which was good. Her quote was pretty much the same too. The actual move was great. The moving crew was a bit rough with my stuff though and not everything was covered. My couch was full of debris, dust and leaves because it was not clearly covered. My little dining table was scratched on the corner. But the guy was nice and he came at 7:30 PM because they wanted to do an early pickup. So after work, I spent the time from 7:30 to 9:45 helping him move things because he was just by himself, which was kinda strange. It was the first time I used a moving company, and I expected a team of two or three to come and bang this out quick, but that wasn’t the case. So I felt bad for the guy.

They also wanted to move the delivery window being that they had moved the pickup date. It was stressful because I told them specifically that when they pick up the stuff, I wouldn't be in Oregon yet because I would be in Colorado. I was flying the next two days to Oregon to find an apartment. But they wanted to show up a day before, which gave me 24 hours to find a place, which was impossible. They showed up literally on the first day of the window, so I had 48 hours to find an apartment. I asked Donna if we could figure something out, like move the date, but they were having none of it and they said they would be there at 10:00 AM on Thursday. So I flew into Oregon on Tuesday, and I had to sign the lease on Wednesday night.

I feel like Colonial contracts people out and they just organize the move, but they’re not the people that actually do the move. I’m pretty sure that in my case, they set everything up and then they passed it on to a local Colorado company that they hired that gets the move done. I went through Colonial to move my stuff, and these guys from Morales Movers showed up at my door. I was expecting a Colonial Van Line van or truck to come, but then this random budget truck came with this random guy in there. The guy barely spoke English. Maybe Colonial could contract out to a better company or proof the people they hire.

I wish the moving guy was a bit more equipped to be able to better care of my furniture because ultimately, you’re asked to buy insurance or not buy insurance. Obviously, the chances that something is gonna happen to your stuff is minimal, in a sense, so you don’t buy insurance. It’s like 60 cents per pound or per article, and it's kinda weird. So, if I lose a big table, or I get a scratch up on my table, even if it’s a 100-pound table, I'll get $6. It’s just like you don’t wanna buy the insurance. It's not really worth it. Still, overall, as far as the experience from Colonial per se and the organization of things, I’ll use their service again.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Everyone at Colonial was very polite and kind at the beginning. They wanted to give me good service, and Veronica, the manager, gave me a really good price. I said I wanna move on January 2nd. I could have the movers come on the 2nd, have the cleaning lady come on the 3rd and then have my car shipped either the 2nd or the 3rd, so nothing was stressful. But she originally said the move would be on the 2nd or the 3rd. Looking back, my impression is that all along it was the 3rd but to get my business, I was told that it would be on the 2nd.

I lived in Florida, and on the very last week of December, when I had everything in order for the move, Colonial called and told me that the movers said they could not move me on the 2nd and it had to be the 3rd. But I was leaving at 12 noon on the 3rd to go to Tampa airport because I was flying out that afternoon. They said the movers would come early on the 3rd, and I said okay. As time went on, however, something came up about my car and it was not gonna be transported as planned. The guy was supposed to get it before I left but he was not coming until after that. So, I had to get a paper through my email from Colonial and printed it out and signed as my sister, who lived in the next apartment building in Florida to be able to sign for the car. Then the car man was a day late, and it was a hassle for my sister.

I talked to so many people on the phone, and a service person said that she would be with me when the movers come. She would call me while the movers are with me on the truck, to see if there is anything going on. My husband now, who was my fiancé then, was living in Shreveport, Louisiana and I was staying there until my furniture arrived in Bossier City. I got a call that the movers will be there on Sunday and I planned to be there. Then I got a call saying the movers are gonna be here Saturday afternoon instead. But he had a doctor's appointment and we had other things planned, so we had to cancel that and be here with the movers. Then when the movers came, nobody called me to be with me, so I called Colonial and tried to get in touch with somebody because here I had to sign the final bill. But being that it was a Saturday afternoon and Colonial’s office was closed, nobody was there to help me although I was told they would.

The service person that I talked to before said that when the movers come and deliver my furniture in Louisiana, she would be calling me. She told me not to sign anything with the movers until I talk with her. However, none of the things that she said would happen, happened. The movers got finished and got everything, and they charged me $1,000 more than they estimated. And because I had to leave in 10 minutes and they had my furniture, I signed.

As for the first company that Colonial dealt with to transport my car, their truck broke down and Colonial had to get another company. At first, I could not have the phone number of the driver that's bringing my car but I was told that they were gonna be there between 9:00 and 6 o'clock. We drove for about 30 minutes from Shreveport to Bossier City, and we waited from 9:00 to 7:00, but the driver didn't show up. So we called Colonial’s office at 9:00 o'clock in the morning the next day, and the rep told us that she just talked to the driver and he would be here by 3:30 that second day. I asked them to give me the driver's name and phone number, and they did. In case he didn't show up, it'd be good for me to call him because we had to go back to Shreveport.

We waited until 3:30 for my car to be delivered, but the driver couldn’t make it. My husband talked to him and he said he would be there between 8:30 and 9:00 that evening instead. But then the driver said he would rather deliver my car the next morning at 9:30. That way, it would be daytime and we could see if there were scratches. The bottom line was there was not enough communication. I was left on my own when the movers in Florida picked up my furniture. When they moved my furniture here, I had nobody to talk to and say that they were charging me too much. But once my husband got to talk to the driver the next day, he was the nicest guy. The car was in great shape and I was so happy that finally that was all over with.

There were a few things that were broken when our furniture was delivered, but I didn't want the hassle of going through a report. We just hired a handyman to fix them. It wasn't that much money anyway, and the movers were very nice. But they had driven through the night so they were tired. They had talked to Colonial Van Lines that I had complained that it was too much money and about the packing, so they took a bit of money off for the boxes. My husband said Colonial should compensate me for the inconvenience and the stress, and for not communicating. At this point, I'm not gonna recommend them but if I could get something back, that would make me happy.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

It was frightening to choose a cross country mover and I was convinced that I wasn't going to find one that I could trust. I've gotten about five different quotes, and the pricing seemed to be within an acceptable range. Then on Black Friday, I got another long series of follow up calls from Natasha of Colonial Van Lines. She convinced me that I should trust them, and she was right. I had enough confidence talking with her and the way she described the company's approach that I said I was gonna move forward with them.

My daughter was moving from Philadelphia to California. It was just a one bedroom apartment to a one bedroom apartment. Everything was already in a storage locker, so moving everything out didn't take a lot of time. I sent pictures of the storage locker from which they estimated. Everything was going to be subject to weighing once the truck is loaded, but we didn't go with that option. It was kind of like the toss of a coin as to whether that was going to change the price significantly. So, when they picked it up, I told them to just go with the estimated amount. I handled the pick-up and my daughter was already in California. As far as the delivery, it ended up coming together in unlimited number of days because she moved to a new apartment. There was an address change at the last minute, and we delayed the delivery. When we got that resolved, however, the actual delivery was made in a very acceptable amount of time.

I have zero regrets of making that decision to go with Colonial as far as their responsiveness, responsibility and care. Everybody I spoke to in the organization said that they take things very seriously because they take their reputation very seriously. Everybody was really nice, and 98% of the communications were really beneficial. There were times when there were some unknown and gaps in follow up, but it wasn't anything serious. Overall, if I had to do it over again, I would skip wasting my time researching 10 different companies, and I would just call Colonial again. Those are good words of satisfaction. The service wasn't perfection, but it was definitely excellent.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I'd recommend Colonial Van Lines. We looked at two other moving companies, but we ended up landing with Colonial. The first person we talked to was very nice and informative. The moving coordinator was there when I needed him, although we didn't hear from him much towards the end because he had an assistant and staff call me. But for the most part, the interaction was good and about 98% of the services and expectations set went the way they thought it would.

The move was from Nashville, Tennessee to Denver, Colorado and it was a little difficult because it was my daughter moving. It was apartment to apartment, so it made it hard for the truck, but everything worked out. I got a lot of calls before the move to confirm stuff and it was repetitious. I was grateful, though, that there was that thing, but it was a little overkill. We were very prepared for the movers when they arrived. However, their communication was weak. They gave me estimated times, but those times came and went and I had to contact them to get new times. That was the most frustrating thing.

We were told somebody was gonna be there at 11:00, but I still hadn't heard from them at 12:00. I called and they said, "It'll be two more hours." They finally arrived at 5 o'clock in the afternoon. They need to do a better job. If they are gonna tell somebody the time, they have to be really sure. My whole day was shot. I could’ve done a lot of other things during the day, getting prepared for the move and doing a lot of things. It was really a wasted day and that was my biggest complaint. But once they got there, they were good and quick. They were very friendly and very professional, and they packed everything really well. They did a great job with that.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

When we had to move from Maryland to California for personal and professional reasons, we chose Colonial Van Lines. I liked Tom's persistence. He was the first rep I called and he kept checking in with me to see if I had made a decision. I got some other estimates, shared some information and he updated his estimate. He worked the hardest to get the contract. Also, the movers were terrific. They were really knowledgeable, professional and extremely helpful. They came the day that they were gonna come but they came later than I thought. They kept me updated as to the time that they would arrive though and they worked very hard to get everything loaded. They arrived around 5:00 and were packed up, loaded, and gone by about 9:00.

They also helped me do a couple of additional boxes I hadn’t anticipated and told me they could handle it for me. The move took about two and a half weeks from beginning to end as they had to go cross countries. They showed up within the window Colonial advertised. It was a day earlier than they said they would, which worked out even better. The unloading was quick and efficient. It took two hours and I got all my stuff, but there was a box of somebody else’s goods. I reported that and no one has gotten back to me on that issue. That aside, I experienced really good customer service and professionalism and I would go with them again.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

We bought some property a couple of years ago and we were building on it. Our builder wanted us down here while he was building, so we moved. Colonial Van Lines had a good reputation and I knew about their company a little bit so we went with them. The service and expectations set by the rep were accurate and it was fine dealing with him. The account manager was very polite and I had no problems at all. I was not very prepared during the time pf pickup and delivery but the movers were great. I would go out of my way to recommend Colonial Van Lines.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Colonial Van Lines wasn't the cheapest price but it seemed like they were reputable. I considered their quote versus some of the others that were lower or a lot higher. Plus they had decent reviews. The representative I dealt with also turned the quote around real fast and it was close to what it ended up being in the end so that was good. The expectation she set was also really accurate and that was why I went with them. She seemed to know what she was doing versus some of the others that were a little more wishy-washy. She was pretty direct. Even the experience with the account manager was the same. So that was a good experience and I was prepared during the pickup and the delivery.

The moving crew were really nice guys. My one recommendation would be, when you're in a high-rise condo where there are really defined windows for moving, that you get there on time. I don't think that was their fault. They were coming from another job and they were probably an hour and something late but it was still within the window that they gave us for timeframe. But it chewed into the evening. If it was a building where I didn't know all the maintenance people, I probably would have gotten fined because we didn't get out of there until 9 o'clock at night. That's something that might cause issues with other the people. But they were good guys overall. They were careful. They passed everything and were friendly. They did a real good job.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I thought Colonial Van Lines was a national company and I didn’t know they didn’t even own their own trucks. They are also contracted out. If I had known that, I wouldn’t have gotten to them. I’ve had my date on their book about six weeks and I put a deposit of over $500, so I was guaranteed a truck when I needed it. However, I didn’t get that. Originally, we were supposed to have a truck on Saturday, then they called Friday night and said that the truck would be there between 12:00 o’clock and 1:00 o’clock. It was okay. We were ready to go. I was due to leave my house and leave for Texas on Tuesday, but an hour before they got there, I got a call from the dispatcher and he said that they changed the date. He said, “Lady, basically, you’re not getting a truck today. You’re not getting a truck on Monday and you might not get a truck on Tuesday,” an hour before they were supposed to be there.

Colonial Van Lines didn’t offer me anything. They said, “Oh, normally, we give you $30 a day.” I said, “No. I thought I get 50 out of them at Oregon.” They should give me at least 500 back because I was moving from California to Texas and it was not a local move. They were not helpful and they didn’t care. I had to redo all my plans. I had people that I was flying back. They were gonna help us move out. Their schedules would’ve changed and I had a chance of losing all my help because Colonial decided an hour before that I wasn’t gonna get my truck as scheduled. They didn't stay behind what they promised. They said something about a house that didn’t close on time. They went somewhere else and they were gonna go back and get those people in Arizona because the house wasn’t ready to move. They should’ve put it at the end of the line. If it wasn’t ready, then they should move on.

The only good thing on the whole move was that the agents they sent were really good. They really worked hard, while Colonial didn’t do a thing to help me. The guys that loaded my furniture were very helpful and very nice. They did everything and bent their backs over. They were awesome. However, they were contracted and they had nothing to do with Colonial Van Lines. Had I known what I’ve known, I would fly past Colonial and call them directly. I got nothing but bad words for Colonial and they know it. I’ve ripped them more than once when they called. I wouldn’t go back with them.

The experience was awful and it was a nightmare. I have five parrots and two cats. I already had people helping and we had to drive all the way straight through 1,400 miles. I had all that arranged ahead of time and coordinated that once the furniture left, we were gonna give it a day and get out the next day, but Colonial put that drive in jeopardy because they decided to move my date. Everything went as planned, nonetheless, and it turned out okay.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I moved with Colonial Van Lines considering their price and availability. The move was 14-hour drive for our whole household and they were going to come in and help us get everything packed all our stuff. They took a lot of care and got everything intact and wrapped. The person who helped us with the move was fantastic. We had set up to have it delivered one day but I called them three days before the move for some changes, and they were able to postpone it for a couple of days.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was gonna use PODS, and I thought that would be the cheaper way out and do it on my own schedule. But I had an inquiry into one of those online moving sites and then I happened to get a call from one of Colonial Van Lines' guys. He asked if he could shoot me a price on doing everything and I let him, and it turned out that he was a little bit cheaper than the pod situation. His assistance was really good. I was very satisfied. The movers were on time during the pick-up and delivery, and we were expecting them. And, we were all prepared. My wife packed up a lot of stuff by the previous night. They said they'd be there the 20th, and they said they'd be dropping off on the day after Christmas. And they were true to that schedule, and everything went really well. I'm very happy with the whole process and the pricing. There weren't any price gouging or add-ons that were unexpected.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

We researched on the internet and Colonial came out good so I thought I’d give them a try. We moved back to Nashville from San Jose, California to be closer to the kids and Colonial Van Lines did a good job. Everything went very well, as advertised. Their reps communicated very effectively in all stages. They were very responsive and they did a very good job of keeping me informed about everything. We got some follow-up too. The movers came out on schedule and worked their butts off getting everything loaded and wrapped up properly. Everything was delivered and seems to have arrived safely. We’re still unpacking out here and we haven’t found anything broken or lost yet.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I don't really post bad reviews, try to see all sides of the story, as bad as things might have been with any company I have worked before. However, I had such a bad experience with Colonial Van Lines, that they really deserve this review. Stay away from this company! Hire a cheaper competitor, because what they seem to stand for is: profit, lies and complete lack of customer service!

I moved from CA to WA ( job ID: **, you should know who I am!) at the end of last year, and here are my issues: Why was I not made aware that we can do cubic feet vs weight? One of the driver told me so, and he said he would have suggested that, considering how many heavy items we had, it would have been cheaper for us. So I was presented with one option - the most expensive and profitable for the company! Also, I was sold on the idea that Colonial Van Lines, unlike some cheaper alternatives do not outsource the delivery trucks. Our move was outsourced, although the company was great, it was a complete lie that they do not do that.

The movers were about the most pleasant experience out of the entire process. Minus the broken items, and trash they left on the drop off location, everything else was fine. I am not sure why we were left with an account manager that was off during our move, so I was left dealing with rude customer service, and dispatchers to communicate with me.

Here is my list of complaints: 1. I scheduled my move and paid deposit about a month before it, for a specific date. The week of my move the account manager tells me it may not happen on Friday, 12/28, but the next day. Why was not aware from the start that this is a possibility? I would have scheduled my move differently, there were specific reasons we scheduled it for that Friday.

2. That Friday I spoke with the account manager, who said the driver will be calling me. That never happened, and I was told the driver will be over between 10am-2pm the next morning, on Saturday. The next morning, with still no call from the driver by 10 am, I called customer service. They called me back, saying that the driver will be coming between 12pm-3pm. I spoke with a super rude lady on customer service (Stephanie), who condescendingly kept saying she can't give me the driver's number. At the same time the driver called, and said they will be coming over between 4-4:30. And I can call him at any time if there were issues. Finally, at almost 5pm the drivers finally came, and they were loading until after 9pm.

3. We had to be up all night cleaning the apartment, and didn't leave until 2pm the following day, because the move got pushed so late. We planned on leaving that Saturday, and arriving on Sunday. I was supposed to be at work on Monday, 12/31, but I had to take a day off, and inconvenience my entire work team, because we had to be on the road driving, we needed to vacate the apartment. 4. The movers called that they will deliver on 1/2, which again got pushed the next day. It would have been nice for them to have clear picture of where they need to be when, so they don't give us the incorrect dates.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have done it myself, or hire someone else. Thanks to Colonial Van Lines, I will probably never hire movers again. I went with you, Colonial Van Lines, because of reputation. I accepted the fact that you are more expensive, but I rather pay, and have peace of mind that a reputable company is helping me out, than to worry about it. And that didn't happened. I worried, nothing was on schedule, it was way too expensive, a piece of really expensive equipment arrived broken, and it's a complete joke that you are giving me $0.60 per pound on a $3k canvas printer.

I paid for a shuttle service and I requested my money back. I was told that since there was a 36ft truck that came to pick up my stuff (and this is the shuttle), and not the 18 wheeler initially schedule, I will not get my money back, because "if there was the 18 wheeler to be used, I would have needed that". Are you serious? So, I essentially paid for both, without the need for one of them.

I reached out several times after the move with my complaints to my account manager and various other people involved in my move. I specifically asked to have a call scheduled on a set time, since I started to receive calls through the workday. That never happened, people were calling whenever it was convenient for them. I was told by couple of people that I won't get my money back because of the ridiculous excuse mentioned above, the last lady I spoke to I told that she is upsetting me, and all she said is "We won't bother you anymore". So all communications stopped. I don't know what's your policy at resolving customer issues, it seems to be "I will just argue with them until they get upset, and then will drop them". Thank you for ruining my first moving experience, Colonial Van Lines!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I was moving because of work and I liked Colonial Van Lines' cost, and then I found out that they’re good and they’re just around the corner from where I live now. The moving coordinator was very knowledgeable and understood everything that I had. Colonial likes to send somebody out, but I wasn’t able to do that because I was already in Florida, which is where I’m at now. And it was a long distance move, so there was no way I could meet anybody. They took the inventory by email, from what I sent them. It ended up being overestimated, so I got money back which is great. The services and expectations set were very accurate.

The driver, Anthony, was fantastic and I liked his personality. He also knew what he was doing. He wrapped the furniture in ways I’d never seen before. The productivity of the team was decent as well, but the ones in Florida were better than the ones I had back in Kentucky. In Kentucky, the driver ended up having to try and find a crew. If it was just Anthony doing all of it, he could have probably done it faster. I had some damages, but it was a long distance move so it’s expected. I called Colonial about it and they immediately sent me a claim form. I’m in the process of filling that out and sending it in. I would recommend Colonial Van Lines for sure.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Colonial Van lines still has our stuff from a Dec 26 pickup. It is now Jan 18 and the last day on our contract is Jan 20. Colonial Van Lines is telling us Jan 21-23 and our stuff is in Texas. They have hung up on me and have not been able to offer ANY ASSISTANCE. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone. They are dishonest and do not care about inconveniencing their customers. On top of everything...you must continually call them. They never call you to check in things. Just awful.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I went to a couple of moving companies and then, by looking at the reviews, I decided to go with Colonial Van Lines. It was a horrible experience. When I opened my boxes, at least four boxes were full of trash, papers or useless things. I threw everything out of it. Then, the condition of the boxes looked like someone mishandled it badly. The boxes were opened and someone has gone through all our stuff, then took whatever they like and then, packed it back again. Out of 62 boxes, I received 41 boxes and 21 boxes were missing. I lost all my valuables including the TV, XBOX, all my handbags, wristwatches and whatever you can count for the valuable stuff.

I received my stuff on December 15 and since then, my husband and I have been in contact with Colonial Van Lines. We were dealing with them and they agreed to pay a compensation but it was only half of the amount we have lost. The first serious call I have received was a few days after my husband put a review on Yelp but before that, no one took this thing seriously.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I moved from NY to CA. My furniture was picked up one month ago, on 12/20/2018. The delivery window expired on 01/12/2019. Now, they are still in the warehouse of New Jersey. The account manager still has no idea when there will be a truck to load my stuff and when those could be delivered.

Colonial Van Lines expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

• FMCSA authorized movers: The company only hires FMCSA movers to move customers' belongings, so they are sure to pick a qualified and credentialed company to handle customers' items.

• Fast estimates: Colonial Van Lines can provide customers with quotes for their move just minutes after speaking on the phone for the first time.

• Educational information: Colonial Van Lines provides easy-to-access educational information regarding rights, responsibilities, insurance and more via their website, making it an approachable resource for customers who are moving.

• Wide network: Colonial Van Lines works throughout the entire United States, so they can find a moving provider no matter where a customer lives or where they are moving.

• Discounted moving supplies: The company offers customers discounted packages of moving supplies, including boxes, packing material and tape, to make their move more affordable and convenient.

• Best for: Corporations, households, individuals and busy professionals.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

Colonial Van Lines questions and answers

What problem is Colonial Van Lines trying to solve?
Colonial Van Lines is always striving to improve the way we conduct business, in particular the level of service and professionalism we provide to our customers.
What sets Colonial Van Lines apart from the competition?
We have been operating in the Moving and Storage industry for 15 years and we are constantly evolving new technology to improve the way moving is conducted. We offer a 1 to 2 ratio, which means there is one Support Staff for every two sales personnel.
What needs do your services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
We are a relocation company that specializes in the transport of automobiles and household goods. What sets us apart from the competition is that we have been in business for 15 years. The prices that we offer are competitive as a result of our business plan and volume.
How does Colonial Van Lines measure success?
We measure success based on the return on investment, retention, repeat customers and number of positive reviews.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the moving industry?
The most common misconception within the moving industry is that all movers are bad, which is why there are such large numbers of companies going the self-service route.
How is your company going to evolve in the next 5 years?
As a company we are looking to evolve within the next year with some technology developments.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Colonial Van Lines?
Consumers should know that we truly try to do the right thing for all our customers. We are not Scammers and our employees are good people, there is no need to bash them on the internet.
How has Colonial Van Lines grown or evolved?
We have grown considerably over time. A few years ago we were focused primarily on volume, but realized that was not our best approach. We have done a good job on settling into our equilibrium point.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information

2000
8795 W. McNab Road
Tamarac
FL
800-338-9092
colonialvanlines.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.