Get a Quote

Margate, FL

4.1/5 (295 ratings)

About Colonial Van Lines

Colonial Van Lines specializes in long-distance relocations. It offers full-service packing and storage options for both household and corporate moves. The company is registered with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and has over 50 years of experience.

Pros

• Rents portable moving containers
    • Free, instant quotes
    • Easy booking process

Cons

• No local moves
    • No international moving services

Bottom Line

Colonial Van Lines assigns a personal relocation assistant to take note of special transportation requirements and moving needs. Sometimes cost estimates change, but the company still offers competitive pricing.

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… They just hustled. There wasn't a thing damaged and nothing was lost. My family moved from California to Massachusetts to Houston, Texas. We're familiar with movers and they wer...

Verified

… The coordinator was thorough. Things changed once we got stuff loaded and reweighed, but there was constant communication. If anything changed, it was easy to call them and fix ...

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. The company is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, it has the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
    • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
    • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
    • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines' relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
    Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
    Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
    Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Van Lines costs

Colonial Van Lines pricing depends on your location and the weight of your belongings. Movers charge additional fees for express delivery, additional moving insurance and storage. Expect to pay more if the movers have to park more than 75 feet from your doorway or if they have to navigate stairs. We were quoted a range from $1,550 to $3,100 to move the contents of a three-bedroom house from Chicago to Houston when booking two months in advance.

Colonial Van Lines now offers a free in-home moving services app to help. You can upload pictures and videos of your household goods and request special services through your phone, and a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides a quote. You can also order packing materials and access moving tips and checklists through the app.

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
    Many Colonial Van Lines complaints are left by customers who were annoyed that their estimate was lower than what they actually ended up paying. In some cases, initial estimates were more than $1,000 off. Colonial Van Lines’ pricing can fluctuate from the original quote for a variety of reasons:
    • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could account for a change in the final cost of a move.
    • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and, therefore, the cost of moving.
    • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than they initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for the labor.
    • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to charge extra when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet or if they have to climb stairs.
    How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?
    You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with the company. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straightforward:
    1. Request information by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
    2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, the date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
    3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobile app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
    4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust any aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
    Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
    It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues.
    Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
    Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. Keep in mind, however, that it may be more difficult to make a claim against Colonial Van Lines for a damaged valuable if you packed it yourself.
    What is the Colonial Cubes moving container service?
    Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for both do-it-yourself and full-service packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,500 pounds.

Colonial Cubes can be a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Chicago
    • Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
    • Garner, N.C.
    • Killeen, Texas
    • Los Angeles
    • Sacramento, Calif.
    • Seattle
    • Wyckoff, N.J.

Is Colonial Van Lines a good moving company?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, it can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. The family-owned company has over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry. The business claims to facilitate 12,000 moves each year. Overall, most of the company’s reviews and ratings are positive.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2021

They're really good. Chad was very straightforward and honest. I probably wouldn't have gone with Colonial if it weren’t for that guy. We set up the move. There was a new person that was my communication person and she was good. The reason that I was using all this, my mother went into a coma with a rare condition and I had to move her up from Miami. While I was managing her care in the hospital, I was having to move her out of the house I grew up in, 3,000 square foot home, and figure out what goes and what doesn't. So I was stressed out, I drove them nuts. I was always like, “Nobody called me. What the hell is going on?” But they already had everything covered along the way and they did a good job.

The guy that came to move me was really professional. At first, I was freaked out. I was like, “Dude, how's one guy going to do this?” But then I suddenly figured out really quickly that he had everything he needed. It was easy for him. He did it. I don't even know if he broke a sweat. He was also really polite and professional. It was somebody that you're okay with handling your stuff.

The price was also lower than what they told me it was going to be. Everything showed up well, too. There were little things here and there, but it wasn't really their fault. Sometimes, it's unavoidable. There was a standing mirror and something had cracked on it. But, it took me two minutes to fix it with the carpenter's glue and it's as good as new. Everything else arrived in one piece.

I also liked the fact that they used a smaller truck and kept it on that truck the whole way. I watched him and he was careful. Then when he got here, my wife said he was really careful getting it out. Everything was handled really well. They also got it there about a day early. The only thing is I would have gotten the extra insurance, but I had forgotten when to do that or the timing. But in hindsight, I would have just wasted 600 bucks or whatever it was, because nothing was broken. I was lucky I got a good company.

Good morning,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. I appreciate your taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. I want to wish you all the best at your new location and in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Colonial handed me off from one person to another. They explained their role and then the next person I talked to did the next thing. It was fairly smooth though it was a little complicated talking to different people. Everybody I worked with was good with except the last person, Oliver who had self-esteem issues. The problem was that even though I had a contract, no one could tell me for sure that the movers were actually going to show up on the day that they needed to show up. They couldn't even tell me that until the morning they were supposed to show up. I was on a deadline and I had to go to closing and I didn't know until the morning they were coming that they were coming. No one could answer my questions.

Oliver would semi-argue with anything we said. He told me a bunch of stuff and I would summarize. Then he would say, "I didn't use those words." He got very defensive, like I was trying to put words in his mouth. It was a very frustrating couple of days. I would tell him what I needed to tell him and then he would just use glib phrases. He would say, "That's not an internal policy," or, "I don't answer those kinds of questions." I finally started talking to him like I was his boss and I said, "You will tell me. Someone there will tell me today if the movers are coming tomorrow. I have a real estate contract and it'll be in violation of that contract, and you're going to call and tell me today. And your movers better show up tomorrow morning."

Oliver was still talking about how the move may be given out to a third party. I said, "You're not doing that. You're sending a Colonial Van Lines truck with Colonial Van Lines people." And that is exactly what happened. But I don't believe that if I didn't get very, very forceful with him that they would have shown up on time on the day I needed them. Oliver may have been a minion at the end of the chain of events and really had no say-so, but he didn't know how to convey that he was just citing other people's facts. If he was my employee, I would've fired him the second time I heard him talk to a customer like that. When push come to shove and he couldn't answer my question, he got very unprofessional and very defensive and there's no reason for that.

Good morning,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us how your move experience was. Your concerns have been addressed and we want to thank you for your time. Have a great weekend.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Colonial Van Lines was the second company that came out and said, “It's gonna be probably half the price.” And I'm like, “Okay.” And mom decided to go with them. With the first guy that we dealt with, Nicholas, Mom said it went fabulous. Moving day was scheduled for the 26th. When it came a week prior, anxiety was through the roof. I knew that they would call me a week prior. But I was getting nervous because I had not heard anything. So I called and they said, “Oh, yeah. We've got you down for the 26th. You're all set. Somebody will call you. It's going to be okay. You're going to be all right. We're going to take care of you.” The Monday before the move, we flew down from Kentucky down to Florida. And they contacted us and they said, “They’ll be out there tomorrow to pack everything up and get everything loaded and move everything.”

When my anxiety was through the roof, it was as high as that airplane that I flew down to Florida in because mom had a lot of stuff. She's up there in age and can't do stuff by herself. I walked into her house but there was nothing done. It was a chaotic mess. I said, “Oh, my God, Are they going to be able to get this done in two days’ time?” The guy that came out and loaded everything had a magic wand. I don't know how he did it but he did it by himself. He was amazing. Not only was he a great worker, but he was a great human being. I told him straight up, “If you're ever in the Bowling Green area, you're passing through, please stop by and say hello because we really like you. You are a nice person.”

If you’re looking for movers to move you long distance, go with Colonial. I've talked to several people within the company and every single one of them went above and beyond to try to calm my anxieties and reassured me that they would take care of it. And they were good with the communication as far as letting us know what would happen and when. Mom was in a gated community. And she had to know when they would be there so she could let the people of the community know to come and open the gate for them. Everything was top-notch.

Good morning,

I am so happy to hear that your mom and you had a great move experience. Thank you for the kind words and I hope your mom enjoys her new home and I also hope you both have a great weekend ahead.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2021

Colonial was a little bit wiser than the first company that I used. I looked for the 10 best moving companies and Colonial was about $1,000 more expensive than the other company had quoted. But in the end, I didn't want to be stranded again. Colonial had a much better and more supportive communication structure, where it started out with a coordinator, and the coordinator was great. Then they had a quality person walk me through it. I had a queen and full-size mattress, and I had already put them in plastic. But the moving people did a good job of putting another layer of plastic on them. They also went over every single one of my 60 totes and they taped them closed fully, which was really good.

One that thing that I was very impressed with Colonial was that after everything got picked up, they told me, "Oh, the exact price will depend on the real weight of your item." It's hard to estimate how heavy your stuff really is. But I get it. Trucks spend gas and weight is a big factor for them. So I was given one quote and they said, "Oh, depending on your weight though, it could be more." It was my best estimate, but I knew that that could change.

I got the phone call from the guys in the truck, telling me the weight. Then 15 minutes later, I got a phone call from the quality person telling me the weight of the stuff. I asked how much it would be, and then she connected to the finance person at Colonial. The finance person told me the price. I asked the same question to the truck driver but he said he didn't know the price and that he just knew the weight. But I was on the phone with the finance guy, and then the truck called me back and told me the price again. It's like their broker. For Colonial, even the guys doing the moving are contracted out. So, the guys who picked everything up didn't have logos for Colonial Van Lines. They have their own trucks. But their communication was really aligned and most importantly, the numbers all matched.

Even though there were four different people within a half-hour that were making sure everything was okay, in the end, they all had the same information. So, to the penny, I really appreciated that. Also, Colonial sent quite a few emails, telling me, "Hey, packing reminders, make sure you have this paperwork set aside," which didn't apply to me since I was already moved. But the whole time, I thought this would have been so great to have had Colonial Van Lines during my actual move instead of the first company that I used and then having to shove everything into a storage unit.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I liked Colonial's price per pound. They were accurate. All I had to do was pack my boxes and someone would pick them up for me, and then they described what services they can provide in terms of additional packing. Whatever I named, they had an answer for it. So, if I had to have picture frames packed, they prepared for that, or if there were appliances involved, they were prepared for that. It was basic. You can tell that when you ship with Colonial, there is not a lot of overhead, and they do less than truckload brokerage. What I had is an entire truck to myself and I had three people working to cart myself out of the house. All that for $1 a pound, and they were at the destination within three days of departure. That is like FedEx-ing your stuff.

One thing where people get confused or have after-moving complaints is that their estimate of weight is off. What I did was, because of COVID, I cheated a bit. I had a North American Van guy come out and do a weight estimate because those still do in-person estimates. Then, I took his labor and work and then supplied that bid to Colonial. That is because they came in at a different price because they don't offer in-person weight estimates. So, as a consumer, you look at your refrigerator and you know it's heavy, but you have no idea if it's 300 or 550 pounds. The weight estimate is what is key. And I've looked at people complain about Colonial is that because after their stuff was dropped off, the truck is weighed in route, and then they get an accurate assessment of what they are actually going to be charged for shipment. So, if there was a way that they could supply consumers an accurate way to estimate weights.

If consumers are going to move appliances, stove is this, washer is that, dryer is that, movers should have an idea. And then, that way, the person can plug and play and go, "Okay, this is what my calculated weight is, and I'm going to use all medium boxes from Home Depot." Then, it's incumbent upon them to come up with a standard weight of what they are going to sew into each box, and then multiply that by a number of boxes, and then they would have a formatted way to say, "I'm going to have a weight within 15%." So, when the Colonial driver shows up and says, "Okay, this is your final bill," they are not surprised. There was one person, I read their complaint where they were 4,500 pounds off. I could easily have done that. I could have lowballed my weight by 2,500 pounds and go, "Wow, I'm surprised," because you don't know until they finally get there. But I used that North American Van Lines estimate.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2022

The communication regarding setting up the contract was wonderful. However, the communication between setting up the contract and being able to contact the subcontractor company had some issues. We had to work extra hard to make up for Colonial not getting back to us. But we were extremely happy with everything else. The subcontractor company said what they intended to do and then they followed up and did it.

Lena,

Resolution response: Jan. 10, 2022

The company was able to offer me compensation for the issues we went through. Though it will not bring back my items, I was able to pay off some of the expenses. Thank you Donna.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

We used them because they were the only ones who could come within our time frame. We paid $26K to have $10K in damage created by the move. I was told by dispatch they could get it to me on the date I needed. I called back to arrange for the day and was told, "No, we don't do that." I kept calling daily from 12/5 to 12/22 for updates, was hung up on, put on hold for 30 minutes, or just never called back.

It was a true nightmare. All boxes came upside down, smashed, and broken items. We packed our own items very well with strong packing. Broken elliptical that has a handle to move it. Parts for items they took apart are missing. They complained the whole time about putting things together and even left without putting half of the stuff together. I am finding items in pieces all over the house. DO NOT USE THEM. If I can prevent someone else from this horrible experience. PLEASE...DO NOT USE THEM. The salesperson called me daily trying to get me to sign, and once we were signed he never called me back.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your update. I am glad that Donna was able to work with you and help address your concerns.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

We talked to probably 20 companies on different occasions. Some were giving us cheaper rates but the person I was in touch with at Colonial was a little bit decent man who was not trying to get a business out of me. It seemed like others were pressing and I don't like people who are so hyped up and trying to sell their company. Although we were paying more with Colonial, I thought it was intuitive to go with them.

The movers were running late and we had booked our tickets to go out of town. We put all the boxes outside and they just took all the boxes from outside, put our tire back in the garbage can, then delivered the boxes to my son. It was an expensive move, but we kind of signed up with them knowing that this was going to be the cost. Our boxes were a little flimsy, so they were a little bit broken, but that's understandable. They did a good job. They have high integrity because we were not there when they took all these boxes but they delivered it to my son in one piece. We like Colonial and will reuse them in the future.

Shubhra,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience regarding your recent move. I appreciate your taking the time to let us know how we are doing here at Colonial Van Lines. I want to wish you all the best in all your future endeavors. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

The movers came to do the packing and after a couple of hours started complaining about how they didn’t want to do the job. At this point they got very careless with my possessions, just throwing things in boxes with no paper or protective materials at all. They scratched up my floors so badly and when I pulled them up on it, they gave me attitude as if I was the one in the wrong. To my shock and horror, after they left, I found items of mine which they had taken to the truck just dumped in the street outside my apartment.

On the move into my new apartment, they removalists damaged my door frame. Many of my possessions were missing or damaged. All my art work missing, my expensive luxury brand goods missing, half my jewelry missing. I made a claim for the damage and the company offered me $375 as a final settlement with a gag order. I did not take a cent from them. I have moved multiple states and countries and never seen anything so bad.

Good morning Julie,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We would like to speak to you regarding the issues you have experienced. Please call the resolutions manager at 954-958-2253 so that she can work on your behalf on a resolution for your issues. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

As we contacted people, Colonial Van Lines would return calls or leave messages versus some others. So, we ended up going with them. The rep was very helpful. We called back a couple of times and talked with him. The initial estimate was way different than what we ended up paying. However, we had way more stuff than he normally inventories for a three-bedroom home. And when we went over specific things, later, he explained that there was no way the original estimate could be correct, because we had all of this stuff. And we said we knew that. Even when his part was done and I was given to someone else more specifically, he was still someone we could call and go back to. We were delayed by two weeks because the driver's truck needed repair. But we were aware of it. We were still trying to pack, so that was fine with us. But they kept us informed as the progress went on. Everything worked out well.

Marita,

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your taking the time to let us know how your move went. Have a Happy Holiday season and thank you again.

Colonial Van Lines Company Information