Colonial Van Lines Learn More
Accredited Partner

Margate, FL

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.07/5

Colonial Van Lines is a family owned and operated long distance moving company providing full-service professional moving services. With over 50 years of experience in the moving and storage industry, they have the knowledge and resources to handle your move. Each year Colonial proudly services over 19,000 moves across the country. The friendly professionals at Colonial are ready to assist you with all of your long distance moving needs.

Colonial Van Lines Video
Colonial Van Lines Gallery (3)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Colonial Van Lines provides long-distance moving services across the continental U.S. Movers specialize in quick, efficient corporate and residential relocations. They offer competitive pricing and require a deposit.

PROS

• Easy booking process
  • Rents portable moving containers
  • Free, instant quotes

CONS

• Deposit required

Top Colonial Van Lines Reviews

...They did a really good job in handling my items and I was impressed. Overall, it was an excellent experience with Colonial. They made a tense moment for me very comfortable. I already recommended them to family and friends.

Colonial Van Lines did a great job. Everyone I worked with was helpful and did what they said they would do. Dixie Movers were the subcontractors that did the move. They were professional and courteous. All my belongings were handled with care... Highly recommend. Would definitely use again.

Colonial Van Lines Learn More

Information from Colonial Van Lines on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Colonial Van Lines is fully operational and servicing thousands of families across the country. Colonial Van Lines is following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Precautions include a mandatory “stay home if sick” policy for employees and emergency kits in trucks (face mask, gloves and antibacterial gel). The company’s moving app allows customers to get an accurate, free, virtual estimate from the comfort of home to reduce potential exposure to COVID-19.

About Colonial Van Lines moving and storage

Colonial Van Lines moving company provides comprehensive support during your move with teams of professional movers equipped to safely and securely disassemble, pack, load, transport, unload and reassemble items at your new residence. Special requests can usually be accommodated if a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative is notified in advance.

• Long-distance moving: Since Colonial Van Lines is a leading cross-country and interstate moving company, they have the resources and equipment to provide customized moving services across the United States.
  • Packing services: On moving day, Colonial Van Lines sends professional movers with top-quality packing materials to your door. With several flexible packing options, you can pack as little or as much as you want.
  • Storage services: Colonial Van Lines storage facilities are climate-controlled and spacious enough to house large items like trampolines and commercial equipment. Full-service storage, storage-in-transit and commercial storage services are available and can accommodate both short- and long-term needs.
  • Corporate relocation: A custom corporate relocation plan is first created to make the move as seamless as possible. A trained moving specialist will pack your inventory or equipment safely and quickly, and then a dedicated Colonial Van Lines customer service representative will keep you up-to-date throughout the whole moving process.

Colonial Van Lines packing options

Colonial Van Lines relocation services include full and partial packing options. Pricing varies depending on several factors, including your location and the weight and density of items you’re moving.

Packing optionBest for
Single-item packThose who can do most of the packing but need help packing an especially heavy or awkward item.
Kitchen packThose who want to pack everything but their kitchen. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will safely pack all kitchen-related items.
Full packThose who don’t want to do any heavy lifting at all. Colonial Van Lines’ moving team will bring all their own supplies to arrange, wrap and pack everything securely.

Colonial Cubes moving container service

Colonial Van Lines offers Colonial Cubes as a moving container solution for consumers looking to do their own packing. Colonial Cubes are 6 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet, 11 inches tall. They hold 400 cubic feet of household items and carry up to 3,000 pounds.

The Colonial Cubes process works as follows:

1. Colonial Van Lines drops the cubes off at the customer’s home.
  2. Customers either pack the cubes themselves or hire Colonial Van Lines’ professional movers pack the cubes. Once packed, the customer places their own locks on the cubes.
  3. Colonial Van Lines transports the cubes to storage and keeps them there until the customer is ready to move.
  4. When the customer is ready, Colonial delivers the cubes to their new home.

Colonial Cubes are a good option for temporary storage and long-distance moves. The cubes are impact- and weather-resistant, which means it’s OK to leave them outside for an extended period, even during rainy or snowy weather. The company does not advertise rates, but companies with similar services charge around $1,000 for cross-country moves and $300 to $500 for local moves.

Colonial guarantees on-time pickup and delivery, and customers can keep their cubes in storage or at their homes for loading and unloading. Colonial Cubes are currently available within a 250-mile radius of the following cities:

• Los Angeles
  • San Jose, California
  • Chicago
  • Wyckoff, New Jersey
  • Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Killeen, Texas
  • Seattle

Colonial Van Lines FAQ

How do I book a move with Colonial Van Lines?

You should contact Colonial Van Lines at least two months before you move, even if you don’t know the exact date, in order for the process to go smoothly. Colonial Van Lines suggests finding at least two other quotes from different movers before you book a move with them to be sure you’re getting the best price. Once you decide to move with Colonial Van Lines, the booking process is straight-forward and simple:

1. Request cross-country moving services by filling out Colonial Van Lines’ online contact form.
  2. Describe the details of your move, such as origin and destination ZIP codes, date of relocation and whether or not you require packing services, to a Colonial Van Lines customer service representative.
  3. Schedule an in-house move estimate or use the Colonial Van Lines app to get a quote. Through the mobiles app, you can create a visual inventory of your property and get an accurate estimate.
  4. Contact a customer service representative if you have any follow-up questions or need to adjust some aspect of your upcoming move. If you have a special request for the movers, be sure to inform a customer service representative before your moving day.
What is the Colonial Van Lines app?
Colonial Van Lines’ free in-home moving services app makes it easy to get accurate moving cost estimates. You simply upload videos and pictures of your household goods through your phone, and then a Colonial Van Lines moving coordinator provides your personalized moving consultation. You can also order packing materials and access educational resources about moving through the app.
Can Colonial Van Lines move on the weekends?
It’s possible to relocate on the weekends, but it could be more expensive. Colonial Van Lines suggests planning at least two months in advance to avoid scheduling issues. It’s more difficult to move during certain times of the year in some locations, so this can increase your overall moving price too.
Will Colonial Van Lines movers load boxes that I pack myself?
Movers will pack any item that they consider safe for transport, regardless of who packed it. However, Colonial Van Lines will not be liable for items that you pack yourself. If you choose to pack valuable items yourself, you might consider extra insurance for those belongings.
Why do quoted prices from Colonial Van Lines sometimes change?
Some Colonial Van Lines complaints reflect discrepancies between price estimates and total charges. All moving brokers and carriers pricing can fluctuate from the original quote or estimate to final delivery for a variety of reasons:
  • Weight estimation inaccuracy: Initial price estimates are based on individual customers’ descriptions. An inaccuracy in weight density estimation could also account for a discrepancy.
  • Weight changes: The total cost will increase if additional items need to be moved or if packing instructions change. For example, acquiring an additional piece of furniture after the in-home estimate will increase the weight of your inventory and therefore the cost of moving.
  • Packing: If the movers arrive and have to do more packing than initially planned for, there will be an additional charge for their labor.
  • Long-carry: Colonial Van Lines’ policy is to upcharge when the distance from the doorway to the truck is more than 75 feet. If this charge is factored into the in-house estimate and the movers later determine that they can shorten this distance, your overall price will decrease.

Do we recommend Colonial Van Lines?

Because of Colonial Van Lines’ large network, they can coordinate moving services all over the nation, even on a quick deadline. Most Colonial Van Lines moving reviews are positive. Over 70 percent of verified customers within the last year said they were happy or satisfied with their experience or would recommend Colonial Van Lines to a friend.

Colonial Van Lines Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

The delivery date kept changing for Colonial Van Lines to deliver our furniture to Georgia. One day, they called us and said we couldn’t do the delivery that day. And then later on, they called back again and said we can move it to the original date. And we said, “We have made arrangements now for people to help us, so we can’t move it back again.” So, there was a change twice.

A mattress had to go upstairs and the guy who was in charge said he couldn’t do it. And I said, “You push that down.” He said, “Well, we can’t just keep waiting to do this. We gotta move on.” They’re experienced, but I was looking at them trying to take it upstairs. I said, “You go one way and bring it down. You can bring it out.” One of the guys that was with him said, “Try it.” But the one who was in charge wouldn’t do it. He said, “If I mess up the wall, then we’d be responsible for it.”The guy took the mattress and I said, “How am I gonna get the mattress up there? You know, it had to go upstairs.” I knew it could come upstairs. And there were three of them. When my son came home, he took it up with my husband with no problem. It was only my son who did it. My husband pushed it but my son maneuvered the mattress. And I said, “They could’ve done that themselves.”

After the delivery guys were long gone, you don’t open all the containers until later. I found out that some of my vases that I look at at night were broken. My husband said, “We got to superglue with the glass. It’s broken on the frame. You lost that. You gotta go get another frame.” I had about three of those that were broken. They’re picture frames that I put on the wall and in the bathroom. The glass was broken in them. I didn’t know it until my husband called. We had opened up everything and so I just opened the one upstairs, “Oh, no, not this. This is not broken.” But it was.

One time they said that our furniture would be the only ones in the truck. I had some picture frames that were broken. I didn’t see any damage with furniture. I don’t know if they threw the boxes in, or raised them again to get the other people furniture on. When they loaded up, it was raining and I had a cold, so I wasn’t outside that much. Also, the container was so dirty. It had some problem. We made a complaint. We told them about it when they were unpacking.

We had five items in total that didn’t belong to us. One was a big table. Then they opened up a picture frame and I said, “That’s not ours.” They put it against the wall. So, we began to open up our furniture and said, “Oh, this is not ours.” We also opened a nice mirror and some picture frames. We have items in our garage now waiting for Van Lines to pick them up. In the beginning, it was less expensive. But when you finish adding it up, it became very expensive. But other than those things, Colonial was good in a sense. They moved in there pretty well. It was beginning to rain so they worked pretty fast. They did what I asked them to.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

Colonial Van Lines was really good about getting back to you and calling you pretty much constantly about the move. What bothers me about them most of all was that when I found that they were gonna sub it out, I asked them if they were a moving company. They said they do that and that they have their trucks but they have to sub this one out. I told them I didn't like that very much but I was kind of under the gun where I had to leave and I couldn't put it off, so that was fine.

They quoted me a price for the move in the beginning, and I was okay with that and all the supplies that were needed, but when the boys came to move me and they packed everything up, they wanted $1,602. They were calling their boss, and I could hear him talking to them, and he was saying that I could pay cash. I told them that that was not gonna happen and it was a Saturday, so the banks are closed. I then heard the guy say, "Well, she can pay with a debit card." I said no again. They said it was for extra supplies.

I couldn't call Colonial because they were closed, and that bothered me a lot. There was nobody to get ahold of on Saturday or Sunday to find out what was going on and why they needed an extra $1,602. So I didn't pay it. But they did move me and nothing was said about this $1,602. They didn't mention it, but they wanted the remaining of the bill to be paid and that they wanted $5,000. I already paid 2,000 as a downpayment and the total was supposed to be 5,000, but by the time they got done, they wanted 7,000 and they wouldn't unload the truck until I did.

I have a really good relationship with my credit card company. So I called them ahead and let them know. The movers kept saying that it was for extra supplies and that it was 1,000 more pounds. They were right. I have the bill of lading. It was 1,000 over what we estimated, so they get extra money for things being heavy and for all the shrink wrap. But the boys were very nice. They were only following orders because I could hear the guy talking to their boss, and he had a heavy Indian accent, but he wanted cash. I told them that I was gonna put it on the credit card, but I was not happy with this, and that I would be getting back with Colonial when I can get ahold of them. It was too much. It was not what I was quoted. But I paid them.

The boys that did the move couldn't have been nicer. They were careful. They were kind, professional and courteous. They did an excellent job. They were just doing what their boss told them to do when it came to the money. They worked really, really hard. All said and done, I called Colonial on Monday, and last week, I got a refund for $1,673. But I told Colonial that they need to explain this better because when I called them, they estimated and got everything which I said not until it was ready to move, then I find out that I was gonna have a sub and I didn't like that. I also didn't like the fact that I couldn't get ahold of them over the weekend. They kept saying that they were trying to do it an overnighter since it was a quick move. But that was what they're in the business to do.

I would still recommend them because Colonial themselves stood behind what they said. They have been very good about calling me back, checking in with me and getting things taken care of. So I was very pleased about that. I really never had that much attention from any company at all, and I've moved before and I didn't get that either. But with Colonial, I heard from a claims person and from almost every person in the department, the coordinator, the organizer, the estimator, and the director of quality. They're a big team and they all call. So I give them kudos for that. It's just the sub is a little sketchy. They need to check out their subs that they give out jobs to a little more.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2020

We were in St. Cloud, Minnesota and I tried to go through 2 big companies for this move. Mayflower said they won't be able to do it. The other company, Allied, has a quotation that was a little bit higher and they had little bit more delayed time as they wouldn't be available for another 5 or 6 days. So, I ended with Colonial and the coordinator did a good job doing the over the phone quotation. We talked about what's in every room and he asked about furniture, bookcases, and all those things. However, we had only 4,200 or 4,300 pounds but they estimated 5,300. Then he asked us to wait a little bit more for the packaging cost. Also, compared with Allied, they were able to send representatives in person who took a look at the house. And based on his actual visit, he estimated a different quote but the weight was similar in both quotations.

This was our first experience moving this big so we had some learning curve to go through. Also, it was over the Christmas break and we were in a rush to see how soon they can pick it up. Everything went well at first but I did not know first hand that there is another third party company involved. I thought Colonial is the main company who's more like the big moving companies but then they recommended me to Mover Dudes, which handles everything. And until I got the Mover Dudes' number from Colonial, I did not know when exactly they were gonna pick it up or any ETA, so I had a little bit of a hard couple of days dealing with the customer service.

There were some times I was frustrated I couldn't get any information from them, because they do not know anything until I kept calling them and try to find out. But at the same time, I was able to talk to Mover Dudes and then got more information than the Colonial representative about this move. In a way, it was a customer rapport deal with my issue and later on they had to switch to someone else. So, they assigned my move to another customer representative.

The other thing is they had to refund us some balance since we were under 5,000. For that balance check, I was supposed to directly call to the Colonial accounts department. I left a couple of messages to the accounts representative who's handling the accounts but because they had different branches, they kept sending me emails like, "Oh, I'm from this department. I'm handling this, I'm handling that." They take the full responsibility and the first two days, I was bombarded with all these department emails. I had to go through it so many times and tried to figure out, "Okay, where is the balance check coming from, refund comes from?"

Then again, I called the Mover Dudes and they said, "It's gonna be written from them but they don't know whether they're supposed to send it to Colonial or they're supposed to send direct to me." It took a few days to figure that out, but after that, the Mover Dudes sent it to me directly. But since then, Colonial did not call me to finalize the move or anything like that. They just disappeared from the picture.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for sharing! And thank you for speaking with me today! I'm glad we could get everything squared away and that the move overall went well :)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Colonial Van Lines' sales rep was informative and responsive. The one who assisted me through the move walked me through pretty clearly how they would charge me and the differences of how they charge versus other movers. The rate they charged me was accurate. The guy was also easy to talk with. We had to go back and forth but he was responsive. Also, Colonial fit into my schedule. The time schedule got a little tight though. He had to get some information to me and he did. There was one slight delay but it all worked out fine. I wound up moving when I needed to move. Overall, he did a good job.

There were a couple of minor issues but nothing to the extent that I would not use Colonial again. With the hiccups we encountered, some were handled better than others. Aside from the sales rep, I also talked with two other people throughout the process. They were trying to get me into a timeslot that was kind of near date. Based on what I told them that we were moving and all the packages, we went through that several times. The guy was very patient with me in doing that.

They charged me a little bit extra - the minimum weight. I was just under that weight though. But they said they would charge me 4,000 pounds because to get onto the truck at this date, that was kinda what they needed to do. I said it was fine. It wasn't a big deal. But they couldn't make the date and they pushed it back two days. At the end of the day, it didn't make a difference. But I was looking for a little recovery on that cost. They doubled the price but they didn't come in on the date they said. I asked that they charge me for what I have but they didn't do that. The sales rep couldn't get that accomplished. I talked to somebody in customer service and that conversation started off a little cranky because they were confirming if the movers came and if I was talking about a different date. I was like, "What are you talking about? We had this date."

It was a little bit of a date issue. Everybody I dealt with was trying to be helpful. My big thing was they charged me for 4,000 pounds when I had 3,000 something pounds. They charged me for a very particular date range and it was two days past that when the movers came. But they explained to me that it was near a holiday and it was the same truck. It was just delayed. I went with it. The movers came within the ultimate window I needed them to come. They also did a really good job so it wasn't a bad experience.

The only person that didn't really do a great job was the woman who had the title of account manager. I was not quite sure when the movers were coming. The logistics person who I was talking to left off saying he would do his best and promised that they would be there by Sunday even though I requested Friday. That was when we last talked. I was supposed to get a call from the account manager 48 hours before the truck came. I never got that call. Process-wise, that's where the improvement should be.

This account manager was a little MIA at times. After the move, she called me about the move as if it didn't happen yet. She didn't have an update or she didn't have the right paperwork. Maybe she was new and she was just making mistakes. But she called me twice after my move to ask me about the prep for the anticipated move. I told her that it's been almost a week later. I had already moved. They came and I was done. That part was the weakest link.

Those two little hiccups aside, I would recommend Colonial. Overall, it was a positive experience. Moving is really difficult, emotional and physically draining. But everything came. Different moving teams came to my home because they do a little handoff. It was a different team that delivered my stuff and when I arrived at my new location. But both teams were super fantastic, especially the guy that came and picked my stuff up. They did a tremendous job. They marked everything and numbered everything. They wrapped things that needed to be wrapped. They really took care of what needed to be taken care of that I didn't have ready. And they didn't charge me a lot. There were no extra charges too.

Colonial Van Lines response

Hi Richard, Thank you for the positive feedback.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I was in Florida trying to get moved from Alabama. I wanted to just make one trip and not have to go up and meet someone that didn’t even give me an estimate. I went with Colonial Van Lines and my experience with them was excellent from start to finish. Their rep, Anthony, walked me through the process and made something that I was dreading easy. He was really responsive to where he didn’t get agitated with me when I had some anxiety going on. He let me know that they were very common concerns. He also answered every question I had or emails and followed up the email.

We were able to handle everything on the phone and he really made me comfortable because I was a little leery doing it over the phone. I called him at least four times and he gave me answers, so I was able to go ahead and lock in the moving date, set my flight, and make things work for me. I was also able, just by phone, to plan my flight there as well as the packing, pickup and delivery, and everything was right on schedule. Then, I was able to meet the movers there.

Everyone was telling me that I needed to go there and they would give me a quote. But that wasn’t gonna work for me at the time, so I had a company meet me there. But Anthony was able to, over the phone and by getting a list, give me pretty much the same quote within $100 or $200. And the quote was good. It came in under what they initially told me and Anthony told me to probably expect that. I was ready based on the information Anthony gave me in what I needed to do, so everything was there. I felt really great about their ability to do the quote over the phone and for it be as accurate as it was. It helped me with scheduling and it saved me flight money as well as time off of work.

When the movers came in, they introduced themselves and in a matter of hours, they had me packed and ready. The guys were great and they took very good care of packing my dishes and furniture. I watched them pretty much the entire time, in and out, and I didn’t have any issues with them. They also didn’t track dirt or mud in. I was a little concerned with that.

All in all, my experience was awesome. I hope I don’t have to do it again, but I would refer Colonial Van Lines to someone if they were moving. And people were surprised as they said that my furniture was moved twice and it still looks brand new. I expected something to possibly break but not one single item was broken. As I unpacked my boxes, everything was in place. I also had some scratches on there prior but one of the movers brought out his marker and used it on them. Then, he handed it to me and told me to keep it in case I scratch something. And I did make a couple of scratches trying fix some stuff up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colonial Van Lines?

Original review: March 31, 2020

I was moving from North Carolina to Florida, and we went with Colonial Van Lines because of their price. I had made a couple of calls and their price was better that some of the others that I called. We had to put things in storage for a few weeks, so the move did not take place at one time. They had kept in touch with me during the process, so everything was very good. We, however, had a little bit of damage, of which they are in the process of sending me a small settlement amount. Other than that, everything came over good.

Colonial Van Lines response

Thank you for choosing Colonial and trusting us with your move John, take care!

Original review: March 30, 2020

When I was going down from Atlanta to Florida, I did some search and used United Van Lines. They did okay. The price was a little bit more than United Van Lines. To move back a year later, I started my search again and saw Colonial Van Lines. For the most part, they did a good job. The initial conversation was good. I felt like they would stay with it and they did. They kept asking how I felt. I took a chance and changed from United Van Lines to Colonial thinking that they would do better.

The only issue we had was with a dining table. It sits on a pedestal and when Rooms To Go, where I purchased it from, delivered it, it was one piece. I explained that to the movers, but in spite of that, the mover had separated the pedestal from the tabletop, which surprised me. Now it is a two-piece unit. They looked under to see how it was put together and saw the screws. They said that they'd put it back together when they get down to the destination. They tried screwing it and using some tools. They then said that it was good. But it’s not. The tabletop wobbles on the pedestal. I even had a handyman look at it. He said he tried something, but it’s not the same. Once you detach something like this, it never goes back to the same way.

It could be worse, but it leaves some kind of bad distaste. Every time I see it, I get the whole story in my head. I should have insisted and prevented them from separating the two. I could have helped them get through the door as one unit. Going back, I could have stayed with United and I would not have had the problem with the dining table.

Original review: March 29, 2020

This was the most unprofessional, irresponsible, uncaring company I have ever dealt with. Movers picked up my things putting them in a rental truck. When they transfered, it was carelessly done, damaging furniture, tv, and plastic tubs. They must have driven backwards through the grand canyon. After arriving late, My things were thrown like garbage breaking tubs and crushing boxes. Many things missing. Little compensation at a high price. After trying to contact company for 3 months they offered me less than a couple hundred dollars stating because I didnt claim they were missing the day they arrived, they were not responsible. Make sure you open every box and check every item because they will not care. Someone else will get your silverware like mine.

Ms. Combs,

We apologize that you are unhappy with your move and the compensation provided from our Claims Department. We here in Resolutions would like to further address these issues with you. We've attempted to reach you but were unsuccessful, could you please give us a call directly at 954.958.2253 whenever convenient?? We hope to speak with you soon! Thank you.

Original review: March 29, 2020

Colonial Van Lines' customer support was pretty good. Everything was pretty straight up. The delivery took place as expected. Everyone arrived when they were supposed to. Also, the cost was fair.

Colonial Van Lines response

We're glad everything went smoothly! Thanks for letting us simplify this move for you!

Original review: March 28, 2020

Everything was very straightforward when I spoke to the rep from Colonial Van Lines for our move from San Francisco to Houston. The expectations set were very accurate and the rep was very attentive. She would call me every other day making sure that everything was okay 'til they made the estimated time of arrival. Everything arrived in good condition. We had some items missing but they made sure that we would receive those. There was a lot of communication throughout the way. I really liked that and the customer service. Going with this company was a very good experience.

Colonial Van Lines response

We were happy to help you make this move happen! Thank you Catalina!

Colonial Van Lines Company Information