3.91/5

Discover the right moving company for you

International Van Lines

International Van Lines is an A+ rated company and has been ranked as one of America's top 3 moving companies. IVL also maintains a 5 star rating with Yelp.

IVL operates through the entire continental U.S. as well as services any destination worldwide. They offer long-distance, international and local moving services.

View More View More

305 International Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have moved a lot. We are ex military, so more than average person. This has been a nightmare. Sixty days later I am still dealing with this company stealing money from my bank and credit cards. Between United and their carrier MAP moving they have stolen 4,000.00 above and beyond the 4,200 contracted amount.

Of course there was more than the usual disappearances and breakage. The mattress covers were ripped open and urinated on. My items were held for ransom. The driver showed up at the destination alone and high, passed out in the cab, demanded more cash to unlock the truck, and I had to find local people to unload in a new town at 9 p.m. BEWARE.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

The worst company I had ever dealt with in my entire life. They provide bad service and are not customer oriented. I will never hire them again and made a bad mistake to hire the first time. The company should be investigated. I had sent them many emails to them and a letter to the president of the company and never got positive results. I attempted to make a payment using my credit card and was told that I cannot use a credit card for some reason. They advertise that they accept credit cards. Very, very, very bad service.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Lied that they don't use subs. That's all they use. Lied about weight. They use Cubic feet. I told them I wanted actual weight. They (Sean) said I could use actual weight. "Lost" my rug and 10 boxes of belongings. Refuse to even look for my rug which should be easy to find. Delivered other's belongings to me. Severely damaged antiques. What was delivered was damaged. Very little survived intact. Severely underestimated load resulting in extra truck and extra charges. This was deliberate, there's no doubt.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I moved from across country recently. I brought only a few pieces of furniture with me. A small U-Haul showed up at my house late in the afternoon and I told the mover it wasn't big enough. He thought it was but found out really quick it wasn't so he had to call in another truck which got to my house around midnight. They were going to take my things to Raleigh and move them to a larger truck. The movers arrived at my destination on time BUT they broke 2 antique tables and acted like they didn't care. It made me think they broke them on purpose. Most of my belongings had to go in storage. They paid NO attention to boxes marked fragile and some of them ended up at the bottom of a stack of boxes 5-6 boxes tall. They put large boxes on top of small ones. They also would not give me time to check off my boxes so I could make sure everything was delivered.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I booked with IVL and was suppose to receive my furniture on August 7, never received furniture until August 12. The movers were still moving in my stuff and I unpacked my flat screen TV and it was completed damaged, which I showed the movers and he took photos. I went outside and could see inside the truck my entertainment center had a lot of items on top and it was very visual that it was broken, again I showed the movers and he took photos. I opened my microwave which was completed damaged as well. I called the company was told that I would have to file a claim, which I did. Received a call stating that the would only reimburse $325.00 as they go by the weight not the price of items. As of today I have not received any other offer and I am planning to file a charge against them. Would not recommend this company at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I'm having the most horrendous experience with International Van Lines right now. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to book them. I moved from Cambridge MA to London UK. Container arrived in the UK and was scheduled for delivery today. They never showed up, as it had been cancelled at the last minute because International Van Lines had not released the shipment. Spoke to customer services on the phone who said he was trying to help but hardly listened, such that I never even got to the point of my complaint! He even said I was being ridiculous when I said I was trying to escalate to my point of contact's manager! I have also been trying to resolve with my logistics manager but her responses seem contradictory to both the factual timelines and information in writing from the local shipping agent!

IVL suckered me in by beating competitors' quotes, and then attempted to overcharged me on the final invoice. The driver arrived hours early with the container and they tried to charge me for this. When I complained they didn't resolve the complaint until 2 days before scheduled delivery at my house. I also got charged because they couldn't get the container to the ship on time and it had to wait in the US over the weekend. This was a big surprise to me and was not mentioned at the time. It all felt a bit like a bait and switch to be honest.

Despite the fact that I paid on time (considering the late receipt of the corrected invoice) they did not see the payment, nor did they see the chase-up email sent by the local shipping agent. Consequently they did not issue the release for my container, resulting in a last-minute cancellation of a scheduled delivery. This has further escalated my costs (parking restriction costs and port rent charges per day) which would have been avoided had the release been issued on time.

I made a simple reasonable request that International Van Lines be responsible for any additional charges caused by the last minute cancellation which was their fault, either based on the late resolution of the invoice problem, or based on the late processing of the payment received and the lack of responsiveness to the local agent's query. That request is yet to be adequately considered or addressed! I am beyond disappointed and would never recommend International Van Lines to anyone. I wish I'd stuck to the company that moved me to Boston in the first place!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

IVL is a terrible company. I was supposed to receive my items August 12 and did not receive my shipment till September 7th. My shipment was split into 2 separate trucks while I was promised my items would NOT get separated. 90 percent of my shipment arrived broken and completely damaged including a 65 inch curved flat screen TV and 55 inch flat TV. Upon delivery the drivers damaged my walls and brand new floors. When I called to complain Jeremy ** in customer service acted like it was no big deal and that he is not legally liable to refund ANYTHING! The company also failed to put any of my furniture back together stating that they were only responsible for delivery even though I spent almost 10K. I would NOT recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Date set to arrive: April 29th. Actual date: June 15th (with a few things broken and a few things missing). Price quoted: ~3200. Actual price paid: ~4500. Refund for arriving 6 weeks late 455 (and tried to get me to sign a very broad indemnification, which I declined). Was told more than once that it was on its way, or was given a delivery window only to have it missed. Most things showed up (not my plates though, and a few other things were missing).

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

WORST MOVING COMPANY EVER and we've moved a lot! IVL mixed up our short term delivery, required cash they never mentioned upfront (who doesn’t take a debit/credit card for thousands of dollars?), lost the last storage unit and tried to tell us we received everything until they finally located it, then it didn’t arrive until 2 MONTHS later after they found it. Lousy customer service throughout and never took us seriously, and lastly, they broke thousands of dollars worth of stuff and didn’t reimburse us for anything - our $1500 patio table wasn't even unloaded from the truck because it was so damaged!!! Did I mention they refused to reimburse us for anything? I can’t express how bad this company is! We gave them every chance to make things right and they flat refused to do anything! For the $17,500 we paid, they did not even meet our very minimum expectations!!! RUN from IVL and don't look back!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We had a horrible experience with International Van Lines (IVL). Ryan ** (nice at first but once we signed up for the move was not available to answer any further questions) initial quote: 3285 dollars Told would get in home estimate but 2 days prior to move we learned one could not be done. IVL brokered job out to Moving Masters. Moving Masters arrived at 10 pm (8 hours late) in an unlabeled suburban truck (no moving truck, no uniforms). They said they had a flat tire and then the truck broke down. They packed for 3 hours the first night and returned at 1 pm the following day with a moving truck (they told us they would arrive at 9 am). They said they had trouble finding a moving truck to rent.

Took them 17 hours to pack and load truck. Stayed until after 1 am 2 nights in a row (originally told would take 5-7 hours total). Did not use picture boxes or TV boxes as we were told would be used by Ryan ** and Moving Masters (1 nice painting wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in wardrobe box). IVL unreachable by phone or email to verify if these movers were in fact associated with IVL. Called Moving Masters and we were told they did not know IVL and were unaware of our move. 2 additional 'movers' arrived the evening of the 2nd day and said he was not there earlier because job was not posted on Craigslist. I had to pay them 10 dollars because Moving Masters mover did not have enough cash. Movers left without me signing paperwork or giving me an inventory list (had to drive to a gas station to pick up the list from them). Inventory list was inaccurate.

Karen (Ryan’s assistant) and Ryan did not answer many of my calls despite Karen telling me several times she would call back. Requested our things to be delivered to new city on August 7th. Despite us telling them we would be out of town, they arrived on August 1st. They were delivered by a different moving company (Not Moving Masters). Were told our things were in warehouse in Chicago, IL when in fact it was in our previous city the entire time. The movers that delivered our things to the new city actually called us to get the storage locker code from us. We did not know the code because it was never given to us. Final price requested: 6,285.50 (although we never agreed to or signed a new binding estimate.)

We felt very misled by IVL throughout the process. They initially were very friendly and answered phone calls promptly. After there were multiple issues with the move, they were very difficult to contact. Spoke with managers as well with one manager stating “I have listened to you for 10 minutes. Can I please speak now?” They also told me IVL was only paid to find us a mover and they were being “nice” to even answer our phone calls now because they do not have to do that. I hope this review can help prevent others from having a bad experience during their move.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I used International Van Lines for a move from Richmond, VA to Chicago, IL and the experience was absolutely terrible. There were several incidents where I was lied to, hundreds of dollars of damage were caused to my belongings, they did not deliver within the date I was promised, and there were several other issues. Please read all the other negative reviews before using them.

A quick summary of issues is bulleted here, feel free to read about the issues in further detail below. Sales rep promising a delivery date that the items weren't delivered during. The Manager promising another [later] delivery time that wasn't followed either. Management then communicating several other timeframes that weren't met. Movers created hundreds of dollars of damage to multiple items. Management saying that the delivery will be leaving on one day on a truck by itself, then the movers informed me that items actually left the warehouse multiple days later with several other loads.

The office/"customer service" rarely picks up their phone and likely blocks you if you call consistently trying to find out where your items are. Movers up-charging above the "Binding" contract after poorly packing and not disassembling items in order to increase the number of boxes needed [Note: The contract says they disassemble and reassemble basic furniture which they did not do.] Movers/packers showed up late [after rescheduling 2x] and weren't prepared for the move/didn't have all the materials they needed to pack the items. Truck drivers being dishonest and saying they are headed your way when they are not - also communicating incorrect "expected" delivery times.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

This Florida based company cannot handle interstate moving with 3 bedrooms or larger. We moved from GA to WA, and it took 1 month from 6/30 to 7/30 with 2 separate loading and 2 separate offloading. The quote and the actual price difference was $4500. Though we mentioned about our furniture to Ryan as we signed our contract, this unbelievably rude loading crew won't load our large armoire, and they kept on complaining how heavy our furniture is. They contacted their manager, and the company manager literally yelled at us and told us they won't move our furniture.

As we're waiting for our furniture in WA home, no one gave us any updates and Ryan or Kathy never answered the phone or responded to our emails. Customer service rep LeKale is the only one who responded to our emails. When the 1st shipment arrived, the driver asked for the remaining balance upfront, but at the end, the driver said he forgot to tell us that he didn't bring everything and doesn't know when our rest of the stuff will arrive. We waited 2 more weeks to get our belongings, but all furniture got partially or fully damaged or didn't show up at all. The driver for the 2nd shipment said he needs to charge extra to unload our piano because it's a heavy item. We told him that it's been paid for already, but he wouldn't do it without an extra fee for our piano. We paid him. We've moved 30 times in the past, and this is the most stressful move by far.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Move from Ohio to SC - Ryan ** was my sales rep. He said whatever he needed to make the sale. Quote was off by 3 times. Said our items would be delivered on Monday. Now 7 days later no sign of furniture. When contract came Ryan said to ignore. It was just a formality. When I called customer service they said no one would ever make these mistakes in their company. Found out that our daughter had the same experience 2 years ago. Never use International Van Lines!!!

Original review: July 7, 2018

Fabulous experience with International Van Lines and their crew. Not only were these guys professional, hardworking and punctual but they also were able to finish early to which saved me a few hundred bucks! They worked very quickly and efficiently, and all of my belongings were moved safely and without damage. Thank you very much!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I contracted with IVL to move my belongings from Ohio to Alabama. The salesman's name was George. My belongings were to be picked up on June 1, 2018. The truck arrived on June 4, 2018 at 4:30 PM. Due to the delay, I was charged an additional 4 days rent at my Ohio address. I requested that IVL reimburse me the rent. I sent George the receipt. After 3 inquiries I have still not received an answer, let alone a check. When the truck finally arrived, the driver was rude. He told me that I would have to box items that were on my inventory list. George did not tell me I needed to box these items. The driver boxed the items and added the charges to my bill (over $2000). Again, I contacted George. He did remove some of the additional charges, but the move still cost me $1100 more than the estimate.

In Alabama, the driver called to say he would deliver my belongings on June 7. I was unable to accept delivery on June 7th because I could not get the addition $1100 until June 8. George called the morning of the 8th and asked if I had refused delivery. He told me the truck (with my belongings) was on its way to Atlanta, where my belongings would be off-loaded, stored, and in 2 weeks or more reloaded and delivered to me. He also told me I would be charged for the off-loading, storage, and reloading. George did manage to get the truck turned back and my belongings were delivered on the 8th. The whole experience was a nightmare and I would NOT recommend IVL movers.

Original review: June 25, 2018

The service was absolutely horrible. I never received a call verifying my pickup time. The day the driver was scheduled to arrive, they failed to show up or call to say they were late. When I called to company, they said they would "look into it" and never called back. They have now rescheduled the deliver time twice today, which means I have now waited 8 hours for pickup.

Original review: June 22, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. Ryan spouted about white glove treatment and professional movers. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Quote was nearly 3000.00 wrong. Went from 5000.00 to 8000.00. 5 people showed up... 5 hrs late to start packing, only one of which spoke English. They literally tore through the house as if they were robbers ransacking the place. Boxes were carelessly packed, with items from all different rooms in one box. No organization to speak of... no labels on boxes to determine what possibly might be inside.

So many items were broken, TVs, tables, dishes. They wrapped loose small items in my sheet sets and shoved them in boxes, so the fun surprises of stuff literally spilling out into the floor when we unwrapped the sheets was lovely. We had a giant safe that we were told would be handled with care. So you can imagine our dismay as we watched them FLIP it end over end down the driveway. As my husband yelled and tried to stop them. But it was too late. The damage was done. The hardwood floor was gouged in the process.

They left all their coke cans in our house, garbage everywhere and even spilled coke in the floor and just left it there. I have never in my life been more upset with a company in my life. Now in the process of claims and I can already tell it isn't going to be a smooth process of getting our money for broken items. Broken items aside, the whole process was just stomach turning for us. Horrible, horrible care for their customer's space and possessions. Stay far, far away.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I hired IVL for an international move from New York to the UK. The movers showed up and packed everything professionally. I ended up with a 20' container which worked perfectly for my size move. IVL also cleared customs in the UK and delivered to my door. The whole move took about a month and went flawless. I was happy with the results which is why they get 5 stars from me.

Original review: June 20, 2018

We recently made a local move and had a great experience with IVL. This was for a 3 bedroom home with full packing involved. The movers showed up on time around 9 am and were completely done by 6 pm. The foreman Serge was great at packing. I would use them again if needed.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Hired IVL for a move from LA to STL. They subcontracted. A fact I didn't learn until the day of the move. Date supposed to receive my items: April 29th. Currently it is June 13th and I haven't received anything. 6 weeks late. Very disappointed.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I booked an interstate move from Philadelphia to Clearwater Beach, FL. I contacted International Van Lines (without too much research, unfortunately). They gave me a moving quote over the phone and internet based upon my inventory (Partial move: 2 lazy boy chairs, books, bike, few antiques, pictures and home goods. I paid the $1400 based upon the inventory quote. The movers showed up a day and 1/2 late for the pickup and demanded an additional $908 CASH (cash only) because of the "weight" if they were to proceed.

We agreed that they would be in FLA in 3 days... TWELVE days later I am still waiting for my belongings and I am instructed to have an additional $1448 CASH if the delivery crew is to unload the van. When they do answer your calls they could care less about what belongings you need and expect to function. My advice: BUYER BEWARE or get a U-Haul and pay some friends! Don't use this company if you have any money or time concerns!!!

Original review: May 18, 2018

My wife and I decided to relocate from the US to the UK. There is a lot of international moving companies up there, and it is difficult to choose. We ended up selecting International Van Lines. They made the process fairly simple and stress free. The agent that helped us - Nico - clearly knew what he was talking about. I also had many questions and he was very prompt in replying my many emails. They really provided us with an outstanding customer service, even after we had to cancel our plans. We got the refund processed and Nico was on the top of his game, working hard at making sure we would get our money back. I have no doubt that I would do business with them if we were to try relocate again. Customer service is certainly critical when you are shipping your life across the ocean.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I booked International Van Lines to move me and my family from Washington DC to Switzerland. They picked up my goods during the last week of December 2017. The goods did not leave the US for 3 months after being told they would leave in two weeks' time. They arrived May 16th, 2018. One day before delivery, their European partner, World Freight Relocations BV, informed me that they could not make the delivery with their intended delivery truck and, in order to receive delivery, I needed to pay EUR 1500 additional. What a shakedown! That increased my cost of shipment by more than 50% even though the shipment took 5 months to get to Switzerland!! DO NOT USE these companies. Criminal.

Original review: May 14, 2018

1 star is generous, but unfortunately there wasn’t an option for no stars. Out of all of the various services (including moving) I have ever used, International Van Lines tops one of the WORST EXPERIENCES EVER. I was assured by Ryan that my move from NYC to Miami would arrive within 5-7 calendar days (the ONLY reason I chose this company seeing as though I was 8 months pregnant at the time of my move)- the move finally arrived 8 business days later... Big difference.

When myself or my husband would call to get an update on the move, on the rare occasion someone answered their phone, we were told by both Ryan and his assistant Karen they would call us by within a hour- NOBODY EVER RETURNED OUR CALLS... EVER, only until we were given a 12 hour heads up they were arriving. On the same note of non-communication, I also updated my inventory list to Karen prior to the move, again with no response, and the movers arrived with an incorrect moving list- all of which equated to an additional over $800 in moving costs (apparently a few extra boxes is worth that amount). The moral of the story- DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE, THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I didn't have a good experience like other reviewers. My pick-up went smoothly. It was easy, quick and the movers were helpful and friendly. Though I was somewhat disappointed with what I felt was a lack of communication from my assigned account manager. I have moved to 3 states within the last two years and due to my experience with the delivery of my items this was by far the worst. I had to reach out to dispatch for an update on delivery; again, lack of communication.

They gave me a 3 day window for delivery and told me someone would be calling me that day with a more proximate day and time; however, I never received a call until two days later when the movers called to let me know they were in the area and wanting to deliver within in the hour, which wasn't convenient for me without the proper notice, and it was after 5 p.m. I live in a downtown area in a secure building that is not public accessible after hours. Additionally, the freight zone to ensure a more convenient loading/unloading process is limited to daytime hours. If they would have called in advance all of these matters could have been communicated and addressed.

Yet, they insisted on delivering my items that evening due to other jobs in another state the next morning. The movers arrived after 8 p.m. they wrapped at 11 p.m. They were inefficient and ill-prepared. On top of that, they lost my television in which they packed at pick-up. Since I have reported my television missing I have only received one email from the company. There hasn't been any follow-up, nor options for resolution. I am continuously having to stalk them. I am extremely frustrated. I chose the company based on previous reviews, which was a mistake.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Our experience with IVL was nothing short of terrible. Starting with the fact that Ryan quoted us a price $5995 after glancing through our house on the real estate website, and never sending anyone out to give us an in-home estimate, we felt we were not given honest information. Significant charges were added to our estimate on the day of the move, at which time we were told that we included more items in our inventory that were originally not there. (We actually added only one item that was not part of the original list.) Ryan specifically told us that IVL is a moving company, not a broker, and yet on moving day, a crew showed up from another company in a leased Penske van. This crew came with no inventory list and insufficient moving materials (not enough boxes, packing paper, etc.) to properly handle our move. This is just one example of the lack of communication that goes on within the IVL organization.

One aspect of this insufficient communication that was very upsetting was the fact that IVL did not have a clear understanding of our two-part move, due to Ryan’s rushed manner on the phone at the time of booking the move. Trying to get this issue resolved was quite stressful due to the fact that individuals at IVL are rather reluctant to receive or return phone calls in a timely manner. To say that customer service is lacking with the company is an understatement! This coupled with the hidden fees, misinformation, and evasiveness of the employees from the top down made our move a stressful and difficult experience.

Original review: March 15, 2018

YOU BETTER THROW AWAY YOUR STUFF THAN CHOOSING THIS COMPANY. My experience with International Van Lines company was awful. Waste of money, time and energy. Short story: The customer service is so poor. Everyone in this company is raising their voice and start yelling!!! They have lost and damaged everything, furniture, bed, tv table, suitcase, floor lamp, China, and the list goes on... All the boxes with fragile sign on it, was taken care of, to make sure that it is broken!!! They lost all the screws for my furniture and technically they delivered me pieces of trash. Anything else that has not lost, it has a scratch on it, so I’ll remember their service for my life long.

Long story: I picked the company based on the reviews on the internet and I believe it’s my obligation to come and make everyone aware of their POOR service. I moved from Missouri to California, and I wanted my furniture arrive ASAP. First when I talked on the phone, they told me it would take a week and in worst case might be two weeks. When I got my contract I see it was mentioned 7-21 business days. I called back but this time they assured me that’s formal contract and they can’t write less than that because they don’t have control on moving truck if it gets flat tire or etc. but they said they will put a note to expedite the whole process. This was a LIE!!!

3+ weeks passed I have not heard back anything and when I called they said my stuff was sitting in a storage in Chicago for 3 ** weeks!!! After couple days I called back and they set a delivery for the weekend. The driver called and scheduled my delivery for the Sunday but again couple hours later he called and canceled. He scheduled it back for Monday which I was supposed to work so I asked him to give me a window so I take couple hours off from work. He didn’t show up on that time, and called and rescheduled again!!! Till this point it was all good compare to the rest. All my furniture's screws was taped to my bed. Believe me it was taped very well. But so conveniently when my stuff arrived there was no screw!!! So I am left with useless pieces of wood, which is technically trash. My China was broken. They lost a big suitcase. All my tables were scratched. My tv table doesn’t have a leg anymore!!!

The driver who was moved everything to my apartment, was throwing all the boxes right in front of my eyes. And he damaged my wall in the apartment as well!!! Can you believe this!!! Besides this I called to complain about the drivers bad behavior and the customer service started yelling at me. :))) If you want to pay to someone to make a trash and deliver it to you go ahead, otherwise don’t make my mistake. Don’t get fooled with the good reviews in the internet.

Original review: March 13, 2018

They will promise you the world and then not care a thing about you once they have your business. They will also change companies without notice (and without telling you). They will charge you a broker fee and then forget about you (they will then later claim it is a liability issue). BE CAREFUL -- they have all sorts of hidden fees as well. The best part is that at the very end they will try to offer you money to never speak about your TERRIBLE experience you had with them and Ocean Moving and Storage.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Moving out of our home went as expected. However when they delivered our goods to California they arbitrarily added $450 to the cost of the move for a “long haul”. The “long haul” was about 120 feet from the truck to our back door on mostly flat surface. So be prepared. Once they are in possession of your goods they will find a way to hold your goods hostage until you pay some trumped up charges.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We decided to use International Van Lines for our move in part because of the recommendation provided by this website. Our experience has been rather disappointing. First the good points: They moved our goods from point A to point B with only a week delay with respect to the best case scenario. Very little was damaged and nothing was lost. The staff was accessible and responded to complaints and questions in a reasonable time frame. Next the bad: They are very expensive. UPakWeShip provided an estimate for similar door-to-door service that was almost $2000 less ($3700 instead of $5600). We went with IVL/OSI because of their reputation and the mistaken idea that $5600 would be an all inclusive price. If anything goes wrong that results in an increase in the price, you the shipper will be held responsible.

The trucker they hired to bring our shipping container to the door showed up 8 hours late because of mechanical problems. (The driver told us that the trucking company was trying to save costs by using cheap diesel fuel that would not work in cold northeast winters.) As a result, my costs went up by $300 because the crew of four guys that I had hired to help load the container had to wait idly for several hours. (The truck was always "almost there" and would show up in "fifteen minutes".) Because of the delay, the container with its chassis was away from the seaport for a couple of days, and IVL/OSI would like me to pay an extra $100 per day chassis rental fee. (So far I have refused.) Tolls are not typically included. They may be as much as $100

Scale fees for the truck are not included ($150 in my case). iv) If the delivery of the goods at point B is more difficult in any way, there may be an additional $500 charge. For example, the delivery service may charge if they have to carry goods more than 20 meters, or if they need to shuttle the goods from the container to your house using a smaller truck, or if your house has more than two stories. In conclusion, if you have been reading carefully, you will have noticed that the final bill could be as much as $1000 more than the initial estimate.

The information about which ship the container would be on and when the container needed to be at the port was constantly changing. Apparently, the initial container ship was overbooked, which caused the week delay in the shipment of our goods. IVL/OSI is not particularly nice to its employees. When we pointed out that toll fees were in our contract, they claimed it was an error by one of their employees. They docked his pay by $72 to give us our money back.

They respond to complaints about billing with threats. Here is part of their response to my complaint on the Better Business Bureau website, "[T]he sea container has or is due to arrive very shortly, if the invoice is not paid quickly, the port will place a hold on the sea container, and not release the container to the agent in the UK, and the steamship will begin to accrue daily charges to the shippers account, called "Demurrage", and the port will accrue "Port Storage" fees up until the day the sea container is removed from the port.

Depending on the steamship line, these charges can go as high as $150 per day, since their equipment (container) is being held stagnant, while they need their equipment back quickly to place back in circulation, as since this is the way they generate their revenue. In closing, we wouldn't want the shipper to be injured like this, so the shipper must check his email quickly to view and pay the revised invoice with the toll fees removed." It may well be that other international moving companies are simply worse than this one, but my personal experience with this one has not been inspiring.

International Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

International Van Lines began in 2007 and is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They are one of the most recognized international and national relocation companies in the country.

• Reputable: International Van Lines has a great reputation, with over 3,000 global partners around the world.

• Complete services: The company offers customers a variety of services, from packing items, delivering them, unpacking them and helping with international transitions.

• Auto transport: International also offers auto transport for those who need cars to be moved across the country or to foreign locations.

• International: It's one of the best selections for those who are moving internationally because of the level of experience and foreign partnerships available to customers.

• Corporate: They're also experienced with corporate moves.

• Best for: Corporations, individuals and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs