Find a Movers partner

3.7/5 (542 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About International Van Lines

International Van Lines, also known as IVL, operates throughout the entire continental U.S. and services all kinds of destinations worldwide. It offers long-distance, international and local moving services. It also provides free quotes and sets up customers with relocation coordinators who can help plan their moves.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top International Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Great moving experience! Mike and his team were quick and effective and have moved our 1-bedroom apartment in less time than estimated, but still taking great care of all our furn...

Verified

I’m not one to post reviews, but I’m compelled to share that our experience with IVL went well… Our move was for a 4 bedroom house from New York to Seattle. In the midst of all th...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is International Van Lines?

International Van Lines is a licensed moving company that offers a wide variety of services for individuals and families. The company is licensed by the Department of Transportation, the Federal Maritime Commission and the American Moving & Storage Association. It offers its services nationwide and in more than 180 countries.

International Van Lines services

International Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves. Its team provides full-service door-to-door or port-to-port moving solutions. As a licensed freight forwarder, International Van Lines maintains direct contracts with leading ocean carriers in order to provide competitive pricing for international moves. The company also offers freight and air moving solutions.

It pairs customers with relocation coordinators to plan the details of their move. You can schedule an in-person or virtual walk-through to get a more accurate quote and plan.

International Van Lines moving costs

The cost of International Van Lines’ services can range widely from customer to customer — a local move, for example, could cost a quarter of the price of a long-distance one. For easy access to pricing info, you can request a free quote. To hold the date after you get your quote, you’ll have to pay a deposit of about 25% of the total cost of the quote. If you need to cancel, the company refunds 100% of the deposit paid (up to 48 hours before the scheduled pickup).

International Van Lines FAQ

Does International Van Lines offer international moving services?
    Yes. International Van Lines specializes in international moves.
    Is International Van Lines a broker?
    Yes. International Van Lines is both a carrier and a broker for moves. Most customers use it as a carrier, but if a truck breaks down or a customer needs services in places IVL doesn’t cover, it acts as a broker.
    Does International Van Lines have moving insurance?
    Yes. IVL offers insurance for both domestic and international moves. If you opt out, IVL provides limited liability coverage, which covers $0.60 per pound per article.
    Does International Van Lines offer packing services?
    Yes. You can add packing services to your moving package at an additional cost. IVL also sells packing supplies like boxes and tape.

Is International Van Lines a good company?

International Van Lines is a licensed and certified moving carrier with a good history of service and support. It has a vast array of moving options, including freight, air and sea, plus transport to more than 180 countries. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t offer sample pricing online; you have to call the company for a free quote. Its 25% upfront deposit also might not be feasible for some, but it does have a 100% refund policy up to 48 hours before the move.

International Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

IVV is a 5 star ripoff. When you look up reviews, more stars almost always pop up first in the list. Go to the 1 star ratings and you will see what this company is doing to people all over the country. I read a couple of recent (July 2021) reviews that mirrored my experience (August 2021) with IVV. Here's What to Expect From IVV -

1) They will bid low (of all the bids you get they will be in the lower range). 2) They tell you that they run their own trucking network, (they might), but your move will be sub-contracted with another mover. That mover will raise the moving contract price anywhere from 50% to 100%, citing material change to the original inventory. This, it turns out, can be anything they dream up. Remember once, they have your deposit and the moving date is at hand, your ability to control the cost of your move is out of your hands if you've contracted with IVV. Do the math, a 6k bid will run upwards of 9k. That was my experience.

3) At this point you're so far into your plans that you can't look for another mover. You're screwed, they know it, and you can't do anything about it. 4) Forget about appealing to IVV, they have your deposit and you're on a train that they drive for the express purpose of milking money from you. 5) You sign the contract bid by "their mover"... but that's not the end of it. 6) You will not know where your possessions are for weeks. IVV will tell you if you badger them that, "your furniture is at a staging area waiting for pickup."

7) Somewhere in your "delivery window " you will get a call from an "independent trucker" about 24 hours before your possessions are to arrive. This person, barely speaking a language intelligible to you, will claim that delivery to your neighborhood is a problem that can only be overcome with "more money." Despite IVV and the sub-contractor having had your delivery address from the day they picked up your belongings, they are only able to discover that your delivery address is "a problem for an 18 wheel rig" within 24hrs of delivering to you. 8) Your possessions will be offloaded only after you pay the driver with cash.

Original review: June 21, 2021

My recent move was from NYC to Miami, FL. They moved our 2/2 into another 2/2 condo. We have very fragile items, like artwork and a piano. IVL and their crew did a great job with crating, packing and making sure all of our possessions arrived with no damages. I’d also like to say that we had zero hidden charges. The experience was good, actually great! I understand why they’re ranked so high and I will be recommending them.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2021

Out of all the movers I’ve ever hired, IVL is the easiest and best. My move was simple (Utah to GA), but it is everything I own including pictures and memories. They packed my stuff to perfection and delivered within a week. My sales rep Justin was great! He did not ** me or overpromise. I felt comfortable the whole to me and would use them again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I had the best experience using International Van Lines when relocating from the US to Belgium. Nico ** was really great with helping me with my move. Since the first call he was attentive, efficient and always with great attitude. Especially in pandemic times, Nico did his best to ensure that my moving experience was as stress-free as possible and was exceptionally helpful and friendly. I am grateful and will definitely use them again. I highly recommend International Van Lines!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I talk confidently since I used their services to move to GA at the end of last month and I can tell you that they are the real deal. They are everything you have always wanted in a mover and more. From favorable quotations to the security of your property and everything in between, you can be sure someone has got your back. I am so thankful to International Van Lines for the professional services. 10/10 recommendations!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

I do not write reviews often but in this extreme case, I feel compelled to warn others not to hire International Van Lines (IVL). We contracted IVL for a move, and then IVL promptly subcontracted to Roadrunner Moving to do the move. Now neither IVL nor Roadrunner is taking responsibility or responding in any helpful way to the following large errors:

- Several expensive items that they picked up were never delivered.
      - Several items that we paid them to professionally pack were delivered in a damaged and unusable condition (e.g., two TV screens cracked).
      - Shipment arrived 5 weeks after the agreed delivery date with one delivery that wasn’t our stuff!

- Overcharged by more than $1,500 for a small-truck shuttle transfer that they never used.

In short, IVL and Roadrunner have not met even the most basic expectations for a reliable moving company. At this point, I would expect IVL to take full responsibility for itself and its subcontractor to address these basic errors promptly but they have not. It has been over 4 months since our pick-up date and we are still waiting for any response regarding our claim! It is impossible to recommend IVL or their subcontractors given our experience with their unresponsive customer service and lack of accountability.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

While looking for movers, I really did my research to try to find a reputable and reliable company to go with. International Van Lines turned out to be the wrong choice for me. I say that for these reasons:

-The initial salesperson set an unreasonable expectation on the delivery timeframe, apparently in order to get the sale. I planned to be moved in by October 1st and was told “no guarantees, but I see no reason why it wouldn’t be delivered by that date”. Well, I slept on the floor until my delivery date, which ended up actually being October 5th…

-The movers they hired for my pickup were very unprofessional. In addition to arriving several hours late, they also found a couple of my items in the “do not pack” closet that weren’t on the inventory, and decided to take them home for themselves. It’s funny how my favorite sunglasses and Bose speaker were somehow missing when they were right next to each other on the shelf… When I brought this up to IVL, they informed me that “their movers told them they did not take anything”, so I could feel free to file a police a report.

-I have over $1,000 in damage to my belongings that were delivered and have to deal with filing insurance claims now, which is always fun.

-The company and movers were not being honest about payment methods. On the phone, IVL told me that I could pay the company via Zelle, but the movers insisted that I sent a Zelle payment to their personal email, and refused to unload the truck until I did so. I ended up doing that, but it felt very shady and dishonest to me.

Those are my main complaints. But yes, do your research and remember folks, stay far away from International Van Lines!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Move from Chicago to Medford, Mass and constantly had to call company for problems. Arranged to pay via Zelle and did so when deposit was requested and when goods were packed up. Had to “fight” with the driver about paying with Zelle even though I was cleared thru the main office. We were very organized and had everything marked to be taken to the truck. We had a closet door with a tape marked do not take anything in the closet. I had Apple AirPods, sunglasses, cleaning supplies, a Bluetooth speaker and vacuum cleaner to use so we left the apartment clean before we left. We had to be out of the way to let the movers do their job.

I started to clean the bedroom and noticed the tape had been broken. I opened the door a saw that my AirPods and sunglasses had been taken! I emailed the company about the incident and they told me they would “speak” to the drivers. Of course, the men said they did not take anything. What did she think they would say? I guess I’m stuck here.

We were then told we would be notified 2 days prior to final delivery in Medford. We needed 2 days to drive to Medford. We got there on Wednesday and were told they would arrive on Friday. Then the next day we received a call and were told they would arrive Tuesday the next week. So we slept on a blow up mattress and had to go out to eat until they showed up. They called on Tuesday and said they would arrive by 11AM…showed up at 2:30PM. Then had the same conversation about the payment.

I had an email from corporate stating that I was approved to use Zelle to pay the company, not the driver. The man argued with me and said…no money, no delivery! I tried to get a hold of corporate, but they have a 48 hour return call policy! I paid the driver as I figured there would be a record and I would have my furniture. Delivery was made with a few broken items and a lot of aggravation. I would never use them again as their communication setup is horrible and I got stuck having my sunglasses and AirPods stolen. If we ever have to move again I would never use this company. It started out great with Justin “making the sale” and ended up as a bad decision

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

Don't know how this company got any stars. They were all great in the beginning but after the deposit you mean nothing to them. They failed to mention they will subcontract the job out, which was another horrible experience. The people I dealt with, Justin, Kristen, Carlina, Karen take days to respond to emails or calls. And when they finally did respond, all I got was "we are working on it". My stuff was picked up 10 days before I wanted it delivered, and they still took over 3 weeks after that to finally deliver. If I ever have to move out of state again I will never use this company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

IVL is the most awful company imaginable. They cancelled two days before our move which was a blessing in disguise. You wonder why their ratings are high? Well, they admittedly cancelled me because I posted my concerns on their FB. Got the call one hour later. I truly believe their reviews are padded. The first question I asked when I booked them was “are you moving us?” Yes, yes. Three weeks before the move they told us we were contracted out and then we were contracted out again because of insurance.

They really sound convincing or our relocation specialist Diego did. We cancelled them early because of lack of communication and rebooked after he convinced us it would be better. The account manager never communicated with us until she cancelled. She communicated more with us then then than EVER. She never returned phone calls. Karen threatened to report me for cyberstalking. I notice on a BBB complaint that the compliance office threatened another customer saying he was trying to extort money. No moral fiber or integrity in that organization.

No attention to detail. That was the issue with my insurance. They knew from the beginning that I had bought BAKER insurance. I then had problems with their contracted companies not being insurable. A few days before the move Karen finally responded all was in place. I called Baker, and guess what? NO. So they changed carriers again. I am convinced if I had not called, the movers would have showed up two days later and I would have been screwed.

Attention to detail? The clock crater left a message last night he was comping to crate the clock today. They didn’t cancel the poor guy. There is no way to explain how awful they are. Do yourself a big favor—-don’t believe their positive reviews. If you read negative reviews, there is a common thread in them all, and we experienced much of the same. I slept better last night than in MONTHS after we secured a new mover. I don’t think I even realized how much they had stressed me out. I do not know how they stay in business. I really don’t.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

International Van Lines Company Information