4.00/5
Based on 263 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

International Van Lines

International Van Lines is an A+ rated company and has been ranked as one of America's top 3 moving companies. IVL also maintains a 5 star rating with Yelp.

IVL operates through the entire continental U.S. as well as services any destination worldwide. They offer long-distance, international and local moving services.

View More View More

297 International Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

WORST MOVING COMPANY EVER and we've moved a lot! IVL mixed up our short term delivery, required cash they never mentioned upfront (who doesn’t take a debit/credit card for thousands of dollars?), lost the last storage unit and tried to tell us we received everything until they finally located it, then it didn’t arrive until 2 MONTHS later after they found it. Lousy customer service throughout and never took us seriously, and lastly, they broke thousands of dollars worth of stuff and didn’t reimburse us for anything - our $1500 patio table wasn't even unloaded from the truck because it was so damaged!!! Did I mention they refused to reimburse us for anything? I can’t express how bad this company is! We gave them every chance to make things right and they flat refused to do anything! For the $17,500 we paid, they did not even meet our very minimum expectations!!! RUN from IVL and don't look back!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

We had a horrible experience with International Van Lines (IVL). Ryan ** (nice at first but once we signed up for the move was not available to answer any further questions) initial quote: 3285 dollars Told would get in home estimate but 2 days prior to move we learned one could not be done. IVL brokered job out to Moving Masters. Moving Masters arrived at 10 pm (8 hours late) in an unlabeled suburban truck (no moving truck, no uniforms). They said they had a flat tire and then the truck broke down. They packed for 3 hours the first night and returned at 1 pm the following day with a moving truck (they told us they would arrive at 9 am). They said they had trouble finding a moving truck to rent.

Took them 17 hours to pack and load truck. Stayed until after 1 am 2 nights in a row (originally told would take 5-7 hours total). Did not use picture boxes or TV boxes as we were told would be used by Ryan ** and Moving Masters (1 nice painting wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in wardrobe box). IVL unreachable by phone or email to verify if these movers were in fact associated with IVL. Called Moving Masters and we were told they did not know IVL and were unaware of our move. 2 additional 'movers' arrived the evening of the 2nd day and said he was not there earlier because job was not posted on Craigslist. I had to pay them 10 dollars because Moving Masters mover did not have enough cash. Movers left without me signing paperwork or giving me an inventory list (had to drive to a gas station to pick up the list from them). Inventory list was inaccurate.

Karen (Ryan’s assistant) and Ryan did not answer many of my calls despite Karen telling me several times she would call back. Requested our things to be delivered to new city on August 7th. Despite us telling them we would be out of town, they arrived on August 1st. They were delivered by a different moving company (Not Moving Masters). Were told our things were in warehouse in Chicago, IL when in fact it was in our previous city the entire time. The movers that delivered our things to the new city actually called us to get the storage locker code from us. We did not know the code because it was never given to us. Final price requested: 6,285.50 (although we never agreed to or signed a new binding estimate.)

We felt very misled by IVL throughout the process. They initially were very friendly and answered phone calls promptly. After there were multiple issues with the move, they were very difficult to contact. Spoke with managers as well with one manager stating “I have listened to you for 10 minutes. Can I please speak now?” They also told me IVL was only paid to find us a mover and they were being “nice” to even answer our phone calls now because they do not have to do that. I hope this review can help prevent others from having a bad experience during their move.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I used International Van Lines for a move from Richmond, VA to Chicago, IL and the experience was absolutely terrible. There were several incidents where I was lied to, hundreds of dollars of damage were caused to my belongings, they did not deliver within the date I was promised, and there were several other issues. Please read all the other negative reviews before using them.

A quick summary of issues is bulleted here, feel free to read about the issues in further detail below. Sales rep promising a delivery date that the items weren't delivered during. The Manager promising another [later] delivery time that wasn't followed either. Management then communicating several other timeframes that weren't met. Movers created hundreds of dollars of damage to multiple items. Management saying that the delivery will be leaving on one day on a truck by itself, then the movers informed me that items actually left the warehouse multiple days later with several other loads.

The office/"customer service" rarely picks up their phone and likely blocks you if you call consistently trying to find out where your items are. Movers up-charging above the "Binding" contract after poorly packing and not disassembling items in order to increase the number of boxes needed [Note: The contract says they disassemble and reassemble basic furniture which they did not do.] Movers/packers showed up late [after rescheduling 2x] and weren't prepared for the move/didn't have all the materials they needed to pack the items. Truck drivers being dishonest and saying they are headed your way when they are not - also communicating incorrect "expected" delivery times.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

This Florida based company cannot handle interstate moving with 3 bedrooms or larger. We moved from GA to WA, and it took 1 month from 6/30 to 7/30 with 2 separate loading and 2 separate offloading. The quote and the actual price difference was $4500. Though we mentioned about our furniture to Ryan as we signed our contract, this unbelievably rude loading crew won't load our large armoire, and they kept on complaining how heavy our furniture is. They contacted their manager, and the company manager literally yelled at us and told us they won't move our furniture.

As we're waiting for our furniture in WA home, no one gave us any updates and Ryan or Kathy never answered the phone or responded to our emails. Customer service rep LeKale is the only one who responded to our emails. When the 1st shipment arrived, the driver asked for the remaining balance upfront, but at the end, the driver said he forgot to tell us that he didn't bring everything and doesn't know when our rest of the stuff will arrive. We waited 2 more weeks to get our belongings, but all furniture got partially or fully damaged or didn't show up at all. The driver for the 2nd shipment said he needs to charge extra to unload our piano because it's a heavy item. We told him that it's been paid for already, but he wouldn't do it without an extra fee for our piano. We paid him. We've moved 30 times in the past, and this is the most stressful move by far.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Move from Ohio to SC - Ryan ** was my sales rep. He said whatever he needed to make the sale. Quote was off by 3 times. Said our items would be delivered on Monday. Now 7 days later no sign of furniture. When contract came Ryan said to ignore. It was just a formality. When I called customer service they said no one would ever make these mistakes in their company. Found out that our daughter had the same experience 2 years ago. Never use International Van Lines!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: July 7, 2018

Fabulous experience with International Van Lines and their crew. Not only were these guys professional, hardworking and punctual but they also were able to finish early to which saved me a few hundred bucks! They worked very quickly and efficiently, and all of my belongings were moved safely and without damage. Thank you very much!

Original review: June 26, 2018

I contracted with IVL to move my belongings from Ohio to Alabama. The salesman's name was George. My belongings were to be picked up on June 1, 2018. The truck arrived on June 4, 2018 at 4:30 PM. Due to the delay, I was charged an additional 4 days rent at my Ohio address. I requested that IVL reimburse me the rent. I sent George the receipt. After 3 inquiries I have still not received an answer, let alone a check. When the truck finally arrived, the driver was rude. He told me that I would have to box items that were on my inventory list. George did not tell me I needed to box these items. The driver boxed the items and added the charges to my bill (over $2000). Again, I contacted George. He did remove some of the additional charges, but the move still cost me $1100 more than the estimate.

In Alabama, the driver called to say he would deliver my belongings on June 7. I was unable to accept delivery on June 7th because I could not get the addition $1100 until June 8. George called the morning of the 8th and asked if I had refused delivery. He told me the truck (with my belongings) was on its way to Atlanta, where my belongings would be off-loaded, stored, and in 2 weeks or more reloaded and delivered to me. He also told me I would be charged for the off-loading, storage, and reloading. George did manage to get the truck turned back and my belongings were delivered on the 8th. The whole experience was a nightmare and I would NOT recommend IVL movers.

Original review: June 25, 2018

The service was absolutely horrible. I never received a call verifying my pickup time. The day the driver was scheduled to arrive, they failed to show up or call to say they were late. When I called to company, they said they would "look into it" and never called back. They have now rescheduled the deliver time twice today, which means I have now waited 8 hours for pickup.

Original review: June 22, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. Ryan spouted about white glove treatment and professional movers. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Quote was nearly 3000.00 wrong. Went from 5000.00 to 8000.00. 5 people showed up... 5 hrs late to start packing, only one of which spoke English. They literally tore through the house as if they were robbers ransacking the place. Boxes were carelessly packed, with items from all different rooms in one box. No organization to speak of... no labels on boxes to determine what possibly might be inside.

So many items were broken, TVs, tables, dishes. They wrapped loose small items in my sheet sets and shoved them in boxes, so the fun surprises of stuff literally spilling out into the floor when we unwrapped the sheets was lovely. We had a giant safe that we were told would be handled with care. So you can imagine our dismay as we watched them FLIP it end over end down the driveway. As my husband yelled and tried to stop them. But it was too late. The damage was done. The hardwood floor was gouged in the process.

They left all their coke cans in our house, garbage everywhere and even spilled coke in the floor and just left it there. I have never in my life been more upset with a company in my life. Now in the process of claims and I can already tell it isn't going to be a smooth process of getting our money for broken items. Broken items aside, the whole process was just stomach turning for us. Horrible, horrible care for their customer's space and possessions. Stay far, far away.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I hired IVL for an international move from New York to the UK. The movers showed up and packed everything professionally. I ended up with a 20' container which worked perfectly for my size move. IVL also cleared customs in the UK and delivered to my door. The whole move took about a month and went flawless. I was happy with the results which is why they get 5 stars from me.

Original review: June 20, 2018

We recently made a local move and had a great experience with IVL. This was for a 3 bedroom home with full packing involved. The movers showed up on time around 9 am and were completely done by 6 pm. The foreman Serge was great at packing. I would use them again if needed.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Hired IVL for a move from LA to STL. They subcontracted. A fact I didn't learn until the day of the move. Date supposed to receive my items: April 29th. Currently it is June 13th and I haven't received anything. 6 weeks late. Very disappointed.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I booked an interstate move from Philadelphia to Clearwater Beach, FL. I contacted International Van Lines (without too much research, unfortunately). They gave me a moving quote over the phone and internet based upon my inventory (Partial move: 2 lazy boy chairs, books, bike, few antiques, pictures and home goods. I paid the $1400 based upon the inventory quote. The movers showed up a day and 1/2 late for the pickup and demanded an additional $908 CASH (cash only) because of the "weight" if they were to proceed.

We agreed that they would be in FLA in 3 days... TWELVE days later I am still waiting for my belongings and I am instructed to have an additional $1448 CASH if the delivery crew is to unload the van. When they do answer your calls they could care less about what belongings you need and expect to function. My advice: BUYER BEWARE or get a U-Haul and pay some friends! Don't use this company if you have any money or time concerns!!!

Original review: May 18, 2018

My wife and I decided to relocate from the US to the UK. There is a lot of international moving companies up there, and it is difficult to choose. We ended up selecting International Van Lines. They made the process fairly simple and stress free. The agent that helped us - Nico - clearly knew what he was talking about. I also had many questions and he was very prompt in replying my many emails. They really provided us with an outstanding customer service, even after we had to cancel our plans. We got the refund processed and Nico was on the top of his game, working hard at making sure we would get our money back. I have no doubt that I would do business with them if we were to try relocate again. Customer service is certainly critical when you are shipping your life across the ocean.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I booked International Van Lines to move me and my family from Washington DC to Switzerland. They picked up my goods during the last week of December 2017. The goods did not leave the US for 3 months after being told they would leave in two weeks' time. They arrived May 16th, 2018. One day before delivery, their European partner, World Freight Relocations BV, informed me that they could not make the delivery with their intended delivery truck and, in order to receive delivery, I needed to pay EUR 1500 additional. What a shakedown! That increased my cost of shipment by more than 50% even though the shipment took 5 months to get to Switzerland!! DO NOT USE these companies. Criminal.

Original review: May 14, 2018

1 star is generous, but unfortunately there wasn’t an option for no stars. Out of all of the various services (including moving) I have ever used, International Van Lines tops one of the WORST EXPERIENCES EVER. I was assured by Ryan that my move from NYC to Miami would arrive within 5-7 calendar days (the ONLY reason I chose this company seeing as though I was 8 months pregnant at the time of my move)- the move finally arrived 8 business days later... Big difference.

When myself or my husband would call to get an update on the move, on the rare occasion someone answered their phone, we were told by both Ryan and his assistant Karen they would call us by within a hour- NOBODY EVER RETURNED OUR CALLS... EVER, only until we were given a 12 hour heads up they were arriving. On the same note of non-communication, I also updated my inventory list to Karen prior to the move, again with no response, and the movers arrived with an incorrect moving list- all of which equated to an additional over $800 in moving costs (apparently a few extra boxes is worth that amount). The moral of the story- DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE, THEY ARE THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I didn't have a good experience like other reviewers. My pick-up went smoothly. It was easy, quick and the movers were helpful and friendly. Though I was somewhat disappointed with what I felt was a lack of communication from my assigned account manager. I have moved to 3 states within the last two years and due to my experience with the delivery of my items this was by far the worst. I had to reach out to dispatch for an update on delivery; again, lack of communication.

They gave me a 3 day window for delivery and told me someone would be calling me that day with a more proximate day and time; however, I never received a call until two days later when the movers called to let me know they were in the area and wanting to deliver within in the hour, which wasn't convenient for me without the proper notice, and it was after 5 p.m. I live in a downtown area in a secure building that is not public accessible after hours. Additionally, the freight zone to ensure a more convenient loading/unloading process is limited to daytime hours. If they would have called in advance all of these matters could have been communicated and addressed.

Yet, they insisted on delivering my items that evening due to other jobs in another state the next morning. The movers arrived after 8 p.m. they wrapped at 11 p.m. They were inefficient and ill-prepared. On top of that, they lost my television in which they packed at pick-up. Since I have reported my television missing I have only received one email from the company. There hasn't been any follow-up, nor options for resolution. I am continuously having to stalk them. I am extremely frustrated. I chose the company based on previous reviews, which was a mistake.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Our experience with IVL was nothing short of terrible. Starting with the fact that Ryan quoted us a price $5995 after glancing through our house on the real estate website, and never sending anyone out to give us an in-home estimate, we felt we were not given honest information. Significant charges were added to our estimate on the day of the move, at which time we were told that we included more items in our inventory that were originally not there. (We actually added only one item that was not part of the original list.) Ryan specifically told us that IVL is a moving company, not a broker, and yet on moving day, a crew showed up from another company in a leased Penske van. This crew came with no inventory list and insufficient moving materials (not enough boxes, packing paper, etc.) to properly handle our move. This is just one example of the lack of communication that goes on within the IVL organization.

One aspect of this insufficient communication that was very upsetting was the fact that IVL did not have a clear understanding of our two-part move, due to Ryan’s rushed manner on the phone at the time of booking the move. Trying to get this issue resolved was quite stressful due to the fact that individuals at IVL are rather reluctant to receive or return phone calls in a timely manner. To say that customer service is lacking with the company is an understatement! This coupled with the hidden fees, misinformation, and evasiveness of the employees from the top down made our move a stressful and difficult experience.

Original review: March 15, 2018

YOU BETTER THROW AWAY YOUR STUFF THAN CHOOSING THIS COMPANY. My experience with International Van Lines company was awful. Waste of money, time and energy. Short story: The customer service is so poor. Everyone in this company is raising their voice and start yelling!!! They have lost and damaged everything, furniture, bed, tv table, suitcase, floor lamp, China, and the list goes on... All the boxes with fragile sign on it, was taken care of, to make sure that it is broken!!! They lost all the screws for my furniture and technically they delivered me pieces of trash. Anything else that has not lost, it has a scratch on it, so I’ll remember their service for my life long.

Long story: I picked the company based on the reviews on the internet and I believe it’s my obligation to come and make everyone aware of their POOR service. I moved from Missouri to California, and I wanted my furniture arrive ASAP. First when I talked on the phone, they told me it would take a week and in worst case might be two weeks. When I got my contract I see it was mentioned 7-21 business days. I called back but this time they assured me that’s formal contract and they can’t write less than that because they don’t have control on moving truck if it gets flat tire or etc. but they said they will put a note to expedite the whole process. This was a LIE!!!

3+ weeks passed I have not heard back anything and when I called they said my stuff was sitting in a storage in Chicago for 3 ** weeks!!! After couple days I called back and they set a delivery for the weekend. The driver called and scheduled my delivery for the Sunday but again couple hours later he called and canceled. He scheduled it back for Monday which I was supposed to work so I asked him to give me a window so I take couple hours off from work. He didn’t show up on that time, and called and rescheduled again!!! Till this point it was all good compare to the rest. All my furniture's screws was taped to my bed. Believe me it was taped very well. But so conveniently when my stuff arrived there was no screw!!! So I am left with useless pieces of wood, which is technically trash. My China was broken. They lost a big suitcase. All my tables were scratched. My tv table doesn’t have a leg anymore!!!

The driver who was moved everything to my apartment, was throwing all the boxes right in front of my eyes. And he damaged my wall in the apartment as well!!! Can you believe this!!! Besides this I called to complain about the drivers bad behavior and the customer service started yelling at me. :))) If you want to pay to someone to make a trash and deliver it to you go ahead, otherwise don’t make my mistake. Don’t get fooled with the good reviews in the internet.

Original review: March 13, 2018

They will promise you the world and then not care a thing about you once they have your business. They will also change companies without notice (and without telling you). They will charge you a broker fee and then forget about you (they will then later claim it is a liability issue). BE CAREFUL -- they have all sorts of hidden fees as well. The best part is that at the very end they will try to offer you money to never speak about your TERRIBLE experience you had with them and Ocean Moving and Storage.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Moving out of our home went as expected. However when they delivered our goods to California they arbitrarily added $450 to the cost of the move for a “long haul”. The “long haul” was about 120 feet from the truck to our back door on mostly flat surface. So be prepared. Once they are in possession of your goods they will find a way to hold your goods hostage until you pay some trumped up charges.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We decided to use International Van Lines for our move in part because of the recommendation provided by this website. Our experience has been rather disappointing. First the good points: They moved our goods from point A to point B with only a week delay with respect to the best case scenario. Very little was damaged and nothing was lost. The staff was accessible and responded to complaints and questions in a reasonable time frame. Next the bad: They are very expensive. UPakWeShip provided an estimate for similar door-to-door service that was almost $2000 less ($3700 instead of $5600). We went with IVL/OSI because of their reputation and the mistaken idea that $5600 would be an all inclusive price. If anything goes wrong that results in an increase in the price, you the shipper will be held responsible.

The trucker they hired to bring our shipping container to the door showed up 8 hours late because of mechanical problems. (The driver told us that the trucking company was trying to save costs by using cheap diesel fuel that would not work in cold northeast winters.) As a result, my costs went up by $300 because the crew of four guys that I had hired to help load the container had to wait idly for several hours. (The truck was always "almost there" and would show up in "fifteen minutes".) Because of the delay, the container with its chassis was away from the seaport for a couple of days, and IVL/OSI would like me to pay an extra $100 per day chassis rental fee. (So far I have refused.) Tolls are not typically included. They may be as much as $100

Scale fees for the truck are not included ($150 in my case). iv) If the delivery of the goods at point B is more difficult in any way, there may be an additional $500 charge. For example, the delivery service may charge if they have to carry goods more than 20 meters, or if they need to shuttle the goods from the container to your house using a smaller truck, or if your house has more than two stories. In conclusion, if you have been reading carefully, you will have noticed that the final bill could be as much as $1000 more than the initial estimate.

The information about which ship the container would be on and when the container needed to be at the port was constantly changing. Apparently, the initial container ship was overbooked, which caused the week delay in the shipment of our goods. IVL/OSI is not particularly nice to its employees. When we pointed out that toll fees were in our contract, they claimed it was an error by one of their employees. They docked his pay by $72 to give us our money back.

They respond to complaints about billing with threats. Here is part of their response to my complaint on the Better Business Bureau website, "[T]he sea container has or is due to arrive very shortly, if the invoice is not paid quickly, the port will place a hold on the sea container, and not release the container to the agent in the UK, and the steamship will begin to accrue daily charges to the shippers account, called "Demurrage", and the port will accrue "Port Storage" fees up until the day the sea container is removed from the port.

Depending on the steamship line, these charges can go as high as $150 per day, since their equipment (container) is being held stagnant, while they need their equipment back quickly to place back in circulation, as since this is the way they generate their revenue. In closing, we wouldn't want the shipper to be injured like this, so the shipper must check his email quickly to view and pay the revised invoice with the toll fees removed." It may well be that other international moving companies are simply worse than this one, but my personal experience with this one has not been inspiring.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Called for a quote in Spring of 2017. Ryan looked online at my house pictures and gave an estimate for around 6000.00. No one ever came to the house to estimate. He stated I could have a price for a December move as someone had cancelled. I was planning a move in July. All seemed good. Communication was less than desirable and I was given over to Karen. Moving day came. They arrived at 1-2 pm to pack and load the entire house. They were from Estes. They advised me that they expected a cash tip for their services. They finished at 2 am. Then left and stated it was going to be more money. They loaded everything in a rented Uhaul type truck.

My stuff was to be stored for 2 weeks until closing. I notified them of the date and they now said I owed 8000.00 more. Held my stuff hostage until I paid and there was significant damage and loss. I contacted a lawyer and AMFA. They said it would cost more to fight this than they would give in compensation. Totally shameful experience and rogue manipulation.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Please help me with my recent moving issues. Allow me explain quickly: My husband and I contacted International Van Lines in March for Storage and Moving services. We were living in Winter Park, Florida, a little Northeast of Orlando, Florida. I spoke with Ryan and he did the quote on the phone. I specifically asked and was assured that IVL storage was air conditioned, not just climate controlled. This is one of the reasons that I selected IVL, the other is that the reviews on Google were so positive. (I was under the impression that Google reviews are verified.) Logically, if I had know that IVL was not air conditioned, I would have looked for a cooler, less humid environment and gone to the north, not the south.

In April, IVL came to our house with three men (Serge was the driver) and picked up about 90 boxes that I packed and put them in storage. They had an IVL truck and Serge wore an IVL shirt. This is the last time I saw IVL logos on any trucks or uniforms. Our home in Winter Park closed on June 19, 2017 and on June 16, 2017 IVL came to pick up our remaining furniture and put them in storage until our home in South Carolina was ready for us. The truck was not an IVL truck, but a rented truck and four men came including the driver—Serge.

We were expecting them at 9-10 am—Sean the dispatcher said they would leave early and be at our house in this timeframe. The non-IVL truck showed up at about 2:00 pm. The person assigned to pack everything breakable (this was in the agreement) had never packed before (I distinctly heard him ask another of the men how to do the packing). When I unpacked the fine crystal wine goblets, two of them were next to each other wrapped in one sheet of wrapping paper (whereas this person used so much wrapping paper on things not likely to break)!

There were just four items I wanted crated because they were so fragile: Two antique mirrors, another unique mirror made from plaster of Paris, and a marble top for the dresser in our master bedroom. To me crating was using wood on the outside and very carefully wrapped in good materials to absorb shocks and jars from the moving process. These items were put into cardboard only—when I asked Serge why he didn’t used wood he said this was how they CRATE! When Serge finished “crating” the antique mirror we received as a wedding present, I picked a piece of it off the floor and put it away to be repaired after the move-in.

Later in the move-out, it started to rain and these men in no way tried to protect my flooring and as a result the carpeting was a mess and they scuffed the wood floor and marked the walls. The truck used to move a 4-bedroom house was not large enough to hold all our things—we had to give away the following items: a Metal Lathe, a jewelry armoire, a floor lamp. My husband was really upset about losing the metal lathe. They rushed the move because they were all calling their family and friends and insisted they had to get back by a certain time.

We asked for the move-in to be done on December 19, but the house wasn’t ready and so we cancelled it and rescheduled for December 28th. I was informed by Sean that when I cancelled that it was no big deal because my things were already in South Carolina. He was annoyed I rescheduled and that his timeframe is more important than mine. I can understand this, but I’m the customer and their customer service is really poor—I know, because I did Customer Service for years and never treated a customer as I was treated by IVL. When I contacted Jeremy ** from IVL, every discussion always ended up by him lecturing me and making me feel as though I was a completely unreasonable person.

I received a call from Sean on Dec 26 to tell me about the delivery plans for the move-in on December 28th and to inform me that MS Relocation would be doing the actual delivery. I missed a call from MS Relocation on December 27th because I was in a plane on the way back from New York. I returned the call about an hour later and was told by Danny (**) that the delivery would be the following day around 12-2pm. On December 28th at 10:40 am I called Danny to find out how the delivery was looking and he told me they were 10 minutes away. Mike (**) the driver and the person in charge from MS Relocation was called at 3:19 pm and told me he would be there in about an hour and was just crossing the South Carolina state line.

I called Danny and told him that I thought it would be too late to do the delivery and that it would be dark soon and he assured me that there were 4 men and it would be much faster than normal. 2 men showed up in two trucks at 4:30 pm! I was assured by Sean that there would be a kit to protect my new floors and walls and nothing was provided by IVL—my husband put cardboard on the floors and instructed them how to bring the items in to do the least damage to the house and items.

By 9:00 pm we were so upset with the entire ordeal, that we wanted them to just finish and leave us alone. They finished at 1:30 am the next morning after telling us when we asked them to put the beds and piano together, that they don’t do that and that it is the job of the homeowner to remove the cardboard and tape left over from the move. No boxes were unpacked, just the furniture was unwrapped. We are not neophytes at moving and have moved before and never have been treated so rudely and lied to so much. I need a bed to sleep in and my grand piano put together as soon as possible.

At this writing, no one from IVL has called me. I called Jeremy ** and was told to call a handyman to put the piano together and that he would discount it to me. What discount is he talking about—we paid everything in full and at no time did we ever give them a minute's worry about the monies owed to them. WE PAID PROMPTLY FOR EVERYTHING! As an aside, Dana from their accounting department would send me emails for the first few months our items were in storage asking for the storage fee due. I told her it was sent and she wrote me back saying that she found the payment and it was at the company before she knew it—they are not very organized if this is the case.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Subcontractors, "Honest and True Movers", showed up at my apt. in Sacramento, CA on 8/26/17. I was immediately told that the "binding" quote from International Van Lines was not sufficient. Honest & True illegally upcharged me almost double what had been originally quoted and insisted that, if I wanted my things moved, I would have to go to the bank and get a new cashier's check. Since everything was packed and my lease was up, I did it. I had asked that delivery not occur until after 9/1/17 and was told that I could expect delivery in North Carolina 5-7 days after that. My actual delivery date was 10/12/17!! I called weekly to find out where my belongings were and was consistently told it would be in 5-7 days! Honest & True even made up places where they last tracked the load.

Turns out my things didn't even leave CA until some time after 10/1/17. Now, after several request letters and unreturned phone calls, I still have not received the promised compensation for the delay. Unless I go to Florida to file a small claims suit, I am left without recourse. DO NOT USE INTERNATIONAL VAN LINES OR HONEST AND TRUE MOVERS. THEY WILL UPCHARGE YOU, LIE TO YOU AND NOT HONOR THEIR OWN CONTRACT. Horrible experience!!! I have given up any hope of obtaining any satisfaction or money from these people, so I am writing this review in the hope that others will learn from my experience and thus avoid the stress and frustration I was subjected to.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

My experience was unfavorable. This company is just a booking agent. They tell you that their company does the whole move, which is a lie. They do not follow through, nor communicate to you that they do not take care of your move.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

My husband retired and we moved back to our home state. The guys from International Van Lines were very personable and fast and they packed our things very well. Plus, the truck was really clean. But there were some things that were messed up, like the scheduling of the company because they put so much to do within a short period of time that they had to pack everything. The workers left with our stuff, then they had to go to two more on that same deadline before they could get ours at our new place. If they had more time, there wouldn't have been a problem. The workers were great but the company needs to improve their time management. They're shorting the workers. Otherwise, we were really pleased.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My father had passed away and since both my parents are gone we needed to move furniture from one state to another. I found International Van Lines while doing a web search and their customer service representatives were good. There were some phone calls with them but it was primarily an online exchange. Everything was done mostly through a smaller local company in Nashville which is where some of the materials ended up. It revolved down to whoever company they used for such system to run on their end. So I worked with that company directly when I got down to that point, through the times, dates, and quantities. And I was very, very happy with that. The way it worked out was perfect and I am glad that I was able to find a company of their nature and caliber. I would use International Van Lines again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

A family member used International Van Lines and they recommended them to us. We moved out-of-state from New York to Tennessee and my wife said that the New York crew was really nice. She said that they did everything on time and they packed everything and nothing was broken. But the driver on the way down was a bit rude. He would not listen to my wife but he would listen to me. If I called, he would talk to me but if she called, he wouldn't. She also said that the truck was a little bit late than we expected. It was within the window that they gave us but we expected a lot sooner. They also didn't give us any updates on when it was going to arrive. We were in the dark about how long it's going to take. International Van Lines had a fairly good price but there was a lack of information and communication. Other than that, I would use them again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I moved from Kentucky to Florida as I was in the process of buying a house. International Van Lines had a good rating online and they quoted a good price better than United Van Lines so I went with them. However, I have a real mixed feeling about International Van Lines. They did well when they packed up and moved my things. Since the house was to wait, I have to keep my things in store so they still have my things in storage and they’re moving it the end of November. The crew that handled the move was excellent.

The thing that was aggravating is that my friend was in Gainsville and that’s where I’m staying right now. International Van Lines was supposed to do a pick up with my truck since he doesn’t have that much stuff to take and then we were going to have the combined move. For some reason, they took my stuff all the way down. I was moving to Venice, Florida and they took it down there. The whole price changed for his move since they have to come all the way up to Gainsville and then back down again. It was a bit of a price difference and I was not happy about that. Ryan, the gentleman who set this whole thing up, has not called me back. Right now, I have Karen who's been trying to be very helpful but it’s been hard since she wasn’t the one that originally told us about the pickup in Gainsville. I’ve tried several times calling Ryan and he doesn’t recall phone calls. So, I’m very unpleased with him and things have not gone smoothly.

Not sure about International Van Lines?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Moving Companies for you.

International Van Lines expert review by ConsumerAffairs

International Van Lines began in 2007 and is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They are one of the most recognized international and national relocation companies in the country.

• Reputable: International Van Lines has a great reputation, with over 3,000 global partners around the world.

• Complete services: The company offers customers a variety of services, from packing items, delivering them, unpacking them and helping with international transitions.

• Auto transport: International also offers auto transport for those who need cars to be moved across the country or to foreign locations.

• International: It's one of the best selections for those who are moving internationally because of the level of experience and foreign partnerships available to customers.

• Corporate: They're also experienced with corporate moves.

• Best for: Corporations, individuals and military families.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Fax:
    954-337-0731
    internationalvanlines.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business