3.97/5

Compare Movers

International Van Lines

International Van Lines is an A+ rated company and has been ranked as one of America's top 3 moving companies. IVL also maintains a 5 star rating with Yelp.

IVL operates through the entire continental U.S. as well as services any destination worldwide. They offer long-distance, international and local moving services.

Compare Movers

406 International Van Lines Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I hired International Van Lines back in August for a move from NY to CA. I did not have a chance to post, but wanted to circle back around to leave some feedback. First and foremost it took me 2 weeks to find a decent moving company. It seems that almost every moving company out there has a bad reputation. IVL was recommended by 3 different consumer websites as being a top ranked mover. I contacted Justin who gave me a good quote and handled all my questions. On the day of the move they sent 4 guys to pack everything for my family. The guys were very professional and did a great job. This was for a 3 bedroom home and took about 7 hours. I received my goods about a week later with no damages, overcharges or issues. They did what they claimed so I am a happy customer and would use them again if needed. Good job guys.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I used International Van Lines for a move from NY to CA back in 2015. I recently had to move again and decided to call these guys for a quote. Lucky for me the sales rep I dealt with back then is still there and was able to work out a reasonable price and get the move set up for me. My move was 3 bedroom to 3 bedroom and required a full pack & load. The guys from IVL showed up on time and worked very hard and quick to ensure everything got done properly. I was so pleased with the pickup crew that I decided to tip them $150 each and buy them lunch which was well deserved. My items arrived at my destination about a week later and offloaded by a different crew who was equally as good. Moving in general sucks, but IVL made it easy for my family and we did not have to deal with any issues. The reason for my 5 star review is simply the fact that they performed exactly to what was sold to me which is a nice change.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I recently moved to Springfield, CO from Austin, TX and contracted with IVL to handle the entire move. My move consisted of a 3 bedroom hours + 2 cars that needed to be shipped. Since my company was paying for the move I decided to have IVL do everything from the packing, loading and crating a few pieces of furniture. The crew from IVL that showed us were excellent. They spent pretty much the whole day working and did a fine job. I made sure to tip the movers very well as well as buy them lunch.

Since we had a full truckload it took about 4 days to get to the destination in Springfield where they did the offloading. The guys there were different than the pickup crew, but did an amazing job. They made sure to clean up all the boxes, assemble furniture and even put away my dishes and clothes. I was very impressed with the outcome of the move that I decided to get them on the vendor list with my company. This is a 5 star moving company and I would most certainly use them again if I had to hire a moving company. I would also like to mention that my sales rep Justin was amazing so if you need a mover, call him directly.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

IVL performed well! My move was pretty complex considering the size, autos and a large trailer. The moving process was grueling and took 3 full days of labor. IVL sent a massive crew on 10 people to get the job done. The guys that came out worked so hard and I was very impressed. Keep in mind that movers don't make a lot of money so I was happy to leave them all with a $150 tip each as well as bought them lunch and dinner all 3 days. Even though IVL said this was not mandatory I felt compelled considering their hard work. My stuff ended up on 3 trailers and arrived at my San Francisco residence in 4 days. Although the delivery crew was different than the pickup crew they were just as good. I was surprised to see only 1 item get damaged. The fact is the move went flawless. I did not even file a claim for the dresser because it wasn't that important to me. The guys at IVL really went above and beyond and I would 100% use them again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I recently relocated to Los Angeles for a new job. My company actually contracted IVL on my behalf. I guess IVL does all the employee revocations. Anyway, I can see why my company chooses to work with IVL as they are very professional and easy to work with. The guys that performed the move did very well the whole way through. They showed up on time and worked their butts off until the job got done. It was a 4 bedroom house and they managed to get everything done in one day which was amazing. I moved from NY and it took about a week for my goods to arrive at destination. The delivery crew was different than the pickup crew, but just as good. This is the 3rd time I had to work with a moving company and by far the better of the 3 moves. My sales rep Brian was amazing and I would recommend them to anyone moving.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: June 17, 2019

I recently moved to San Francisco from Austin, Texas. My move was for a 2 bedroom apartment which also included full packing, loading etc. Since my company paid for the move I had them do everything, I must say that they did a great job. The movers were polite and very professional. The job was well done with no damage, no extra charges and no loss. I've never in my life had to hire a mover, but the stories I read online are scary. I 100% would work with IVL again. Shout out to my sales rep Justin and the foreman David.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Justin ** booked my move with IVL and I was confident that a simple one bedroom one bathroom move would be worth paying the "pro-rated top movers" for a seamless move. Upon arrival ALL of my boxes were MISSING. All of the items I own were lost other than big furniture. Lakale ** in Customer Care had no answers, Lisa ** the account manager was not able to help, and finally after weeks of them "checking the warehouse" Jeremy ** offered me a couple hundred to not go through claims... I STRONGLY encourage NOT going with this costly moving company just because they promise professional care. I will continue to recommend people to go elsewhere until someone is relatively reasonable in rectifying this horrible experience.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My move from New York to Boston went well. I have no gripes other than a 2-hour delay on pick up which they rectified — being that I've used moving companies before I can say that IVL is an excellent company. My rep Alex treated my like he cared and not like a sale. I spoke with another over who claimed they were vets, but when I did the research, I found out it was just lies to try and gain my business. Several consumer groups suggested IVL and they maintain an excellent rep so they won. I hope I don't move anytime soon, but if I do, I will use IVL again.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I recently moved from Houston, TX, to Cambridge, MA. IVL was our first choice because of its reputation. My moving experience was beyond what I expected in the right way. The packing was done efficiently, and everything was received with no damage. As many of you know, moving is very stressful, so it was a breath of fresh air to deal with a quality company. I had zero damage, hidden charges, or problems for that matter. I want to thank my sales rep, Alex **., who did a great job working with me and meeting my deadlines.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Finding a quality moving company was challenging. The internet has thousands of topics about moving, moving scams, and complaints. The moving industry seems a bit shady, so I was glad to have come across International Van Lines. My move was only a 2 bedroom, but it's everything I own, and I was on a tight budget. Their movers were on-time, prompt, and very efficient. It took about 4 hours to get everything done and my delivery to Las Vegas took 48 hours. The experience went better than expected and I would use them again.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My move to Nevada went well. I had no damage, loss, or additional charges. I've used them once before and had a good experience, so I gave them a second move. Moving is stressful, so I was thrilled to come across International Van Lines. I would recommend them to anyone planning a long-distance move.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I had a difficult time finding a mover that could deliver to New Mexico promptly without being charged a ridiculous amount of money. I received several quotes from reputable moving companies and chose IVL because they gave me comfort. Unlike the other movers, I spoke with they did not try and pressure me to provide them with a deposit. In fact, my rep Alex did the opposite. He went over all scenarios, including worst case scenario which I appreciated. The pick up took place in Seattle and the entire move process took about a week. The guys that handled my move were very professional. They were timely, dressed well, clean truck and worked their tails off. I hope I never have to experience another move in my lifetime, but if I do I would consider International Van Lines.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I hired International Van Lines for an overseas move for my parents. The move was from Chennai, India to Austin, Texas. It was a very stressful experience trying to find a mover with this kind of knowledge. IVL came recommended by several consumer groups and maintains a good reputation so my comfort level was good with them. My sales rep Nico was very attentive to my needs and made sure all customs paperwork and documentation was done promptly. I have never worked with an international moving company before, but my experience with IVL was excellent and I would suggest them.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I was given a quote that was 3k lower than what it ended up costing me. They overcharged for packing materials because of the immense waste of products they use (just so they can charge you for them). They wrapped items that did not need to be wrapped (also so they can charge for them). I was told during my quote that my items would be delivered on the 19th or 20th with no problem. I didn't have access to the apartment until the 19th. A week prior to delivery, I was told that they needed to deliver on the 18th or it would take another week or so to get my belongings. They repeatedly told me that all of this was in the fine print that they couldn't guarantee a delivery date but it was clearly implied on the original phone call. They need to do a much better job with setting expectations during their quotes. They need to ask a lot more questions other than how many boxes do you think you have. Any normal person would not be able to answer that question.

My original quote was for $2300 (25 boxes and a few large furniture pieces - couch, bed, etc). My final cost was over $5400 for an additional 13 boxes. The final cost was over double the initial quote and I certainly did not have over double the boxes and furniture added. They knew I was on an extremely tight time frame and did not have time to find another moving company. After begging my new apartment complex for early access, I was able to take the delivery a day early.

When the mover arrived, there was only 1 person. It took him over 6 hours to move everything in and put together the bed and table. I ended up moving boxes myself because it was taking so long. The bed wasn't put together properly and I had to redo it the next day. The bottom line is: they severely under quoted by not asking enough or the right questions then use fine print to deliver your items whenever they feel like it. At the end of the day, I could have (and would have) hired a company to actually pack all of my items and move them for the same amount that I paid to this company.

Original review: May 23, 2019

Based on the good reviews online I contacted IVL for a quote for my move from the USA to Germany. The salesperson was very nice and I had the impression that they know what they're doing. I gave all information about my situation (no elevator, long way to truck/container and parking situation). My information were recognized but when the packing & loading team arrived on the day of the move I realized the information were completely ignored. The team was not prepared for the move and it took them 11 hours to get everything done. When I moved three years ago with the same household it took professional movers only 3 hours for the job with the same amount of people.

In Germany I was waiting for my container to arrive. I was notified 2 days before arrival of the container about the final invoice with the need to pay it before they can release the container. That was not possible for me to send the money from Germany within 2 days as it was already known from the previous process so that the container was delayed in the harbor and caused additional costs. IVL claimed they sent me the invoice 10 days earlier but they also sent me proof (log file / invoice date) that they didn't.

It was clear that the delay was caused by IVL but all discussions didn't help, they forced me to pay for the additional costs of about $1500 to get my belongings back. After I paid the invoice IVL completely ignored my emails with refund requests. IVL is not professional and not at all customer oriented. They know that the people need their belongings and utilize that shamelessly to increase costs and push financial responsibilities to the customer. Please do yourself a favor and never work with them if there is room for a mistake - they will make it and you will pay for it.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Based on positive web reviews, I hired International Van Lines for the move of my household. The sales person was great and reassuring on the phone. I contracted with them, and while my belongings were being packed and loaded, the price doubled. This may have been a miscommunication over the size, but it was a complicated, expensive and unexpected change. When my furniture and boxes were delivered, I discovered that 3 chairs, a table, a hall tree, my bed and sofa had been seriously damaged (requiring >$2,000 in wood repair).

As I unpacked boxes, the boxes of missing antique and modern china, crystal, decanters and other items was discovered. Wedding rings and a silver icon were also stolen (the ring cases and icon stand were delivered, but the precious items were removed). The total loss is $25,000 (insurance company estimate) and the people at International Van Lines offered me $500 if I signed a release and have promised $100 since I refused to sign that release. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I moved from Austin, Texas to Torrance, CA and used IVL. My move was for a 3 bedroom house + car. IVL's crew showed up on time, uniformed and did a fantastic job getting the job done promptly. The move itself took roughly about 7 hours which included them packing & loading. I needed a month of storage which they offered for free. When I called to reserve a delivery date that got it done within a week, my experience with IVL was excellent and I would recommend them to anyone moving out of state.

Original review: May 8, 2019

It's the 7th time I had to work with a mover. I consider myself somewhat of a vet when it comes to choosing companies because of my experiences. Several third-party consumer groups suggested them, so I gave them a shot, even though they were a bit more expensive. My move was a bit complex because I have 2 cars, a motorcycle, and a grand piano. As you can imagine the values were high so I had no room for error. IVL sent a 6 person crew and 2 trucks to my residence. The movers were amazing. They worked all day to make sure the good were packed and loaded correctly. My cars were shipped on, and all arrived okay. I had a couple of minor dings, but nothing crazy. Overall the guys performed better than what I expected. The delivery was on-time. I would rate them 5 stars due to the positive experience I had.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I hired International Van Lines for a move from New York to Austin, Texas. The movers were on-time, packed well and provided everything they promised. I've moved before and this was by far the better of my 3 experiences. I would like to thank my sales rep Justin. He did a great job walking me through the process.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently moved from Houston, TX to Wake Forest, NC. I hired IVL for the move of my 2 bedrooms apt. The crew was on time, packed well and delivered everything as promised. I experienced zero problems and would use them again. My rep was Brian and my mover (foreman) was James. Great guys!

Original review: April 24, 2019

IVL did a great job with my move to Fairfield, CT. It was a smaller move, but all I have so I wanted to go with a reputable company. The price was reasonable, movers packed well and I had no surprises. I would use them again.

Original review: April 24, 2019

International Van Lines moved my family from New York City to Coral Springs, FL back in December. I wanted to take a minute and write a review, considering the great job they did. The packing was done well, movers were nice and everything arrived at the destination with no damage. I've moved several times and this was a good experience based on my others. I'd also like to give a shout out to Brian, Karen and the foreman Danny. Great work guys!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I hired IVL based on their reputation, know-how and price. My rep Alex did a great job walking me through and he was not pushy, like the others. This is the 4th time I had to work with a mover and was one of the better experiences. I would use IVL and recommend them for anyone making a long distance move.

Original review: April 21, 2019

I did a lot of research before I went with IVL for my move from Michigan to Pennsylvania, but did not know that they would outsource to another company, namely, American Knights Moving, for my move. First thing that I should've picked up on was that they told me they only took cash. The movers were nice enough and cordial, but highly inefficient. I have a small one bedroom 700 sq ft apartment and it took them about 6 hours to pack and move everything.

They didn't want to take apart my couch and my bed frame, but then my bed frame broke during transportation, and my claim for reimbursement was denied because the claim department said the bedframe should've been transported disassembled! The mover told me that the moving company would reimburse the full cost of my bed but I haven't been able to speak to anyone. They also broke a floor lamp which they refused to reimburse as well, because they said it wasn't listed on the inventory (the lamp was taken apart and stored in a box, instead of being listed as a separate item). Overall, I would not recommend IVL or American Knights Moving.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My move was from Houston, Texas to Middlesex, New Jersey. It consisted of a 2 bedroom apartment, but we self-packed everything. They sent a 3 person team who loaded within about 4 hours. The guys worked hard and did a great job. I got my delivery about a week later and the same team was there to off-load. We got everything with no damage. I also didn't have to pay more than the quote which was great. Shoutout to Brian my sales rep.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I was referred to IVL from a close friend who had used them for his move to NY. I didn't bother calling anyone else because I knew they were good. They did my move from Parkland, FL to New York York and performed well. I want to thank my sales rep Alex for doing a wonderful job. I'm not a stranger to moving and this was one of the better experiences.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I spent 3 weeks looking for a moving company. It appears that movers get tons of complaints which is very confusing when trying to select the right company. Even the largest movers have a lot of bad reviews. I chose IVL because they were referred by 2 consumer watchdog websites that claimed they are one of the best. My relocation was from NC to NY for a 4 bedroom house and car. IVL managed the job well. They sent a crew of 5 guys to pack, load and deliver. I had my own truck and delivery time of about 3 days. Very pleased with their service.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I chose International Van Lines because of their reputation. The truth is that they were a bit more expensive than other companies, but I did not want to take the chance and get burned like I did the last time I moved. My move was from Houston, TX to Los Angeles, CA for a three bedroom house. They did all the packing and packed very well. They showed up in a nice clean truck which made me feel even more comfortable. I received my load in about a week with no damage. My sales rep Alex was very detailed and made sure things went well for me. I would use them again.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Moving is very stressful and finding the right company is not an easy task. I spent day and night researching companies and came across these guys on a few 3rd party websites. My move consisted of a 4 bedroom home with packing. Although IVL was a bit pricey I chose them based on my gut. My rep Brian was great at explaining details and he wasn't pushy at all. Other movers would call me non stop and use pressure tactics to try and win my business. I've been in sales for 20 years and can't stand high-pressure salespeople. Well, my move went fine and I got everything with no damage and no added charges. I was very pleased with their service and would use them again if needed.

Original review: April 11, 2019

International Van Lines and their team did a great job overseeing my move to Ontario, CA. My move was fairly small, but it is all I have and I wanted to go with a reputable company. They were referred to me by a friend who also had a great experience with them. The fact that I didn't pay more than the estimate or have any noticeable damage was nice. I'm not big on leaving reviews, but I wanted to spend a minute and leave some positive feedback. My account rep was Justin who was amazing.

International Van Lines expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

International Van Lines began in 2007 and is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They are one of the most recognized international and national relocation companies in the country.

• Reputable: International Van Lines has a great reputation, with over 3,000 global partners around the world.

• Complete services: The company offers customers a variety of services, from packing items, delivering them, unpacking them and helping with international transitions.

• Auto transport: International also offers auto transport for those who need cars to be moved across the country or to foreign locations.

• International: It's one of the best selections for those who are moving internationally because of the level of experience and foreign partnerships available to customers.

• Corporate: They're also experienced with corporate moves.

• Best for: Corporations, individuals and military families.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
      Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

International Van Lines Company Information