Find a Movers partner

3.8/5 (517 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About International Van Lines

International Van Lines, also known as IVL, operates throughout the entire continental U.S. and services all kinds of destinations worldwide. It offers long-distance, international and local moving services. It also provides free quotes and sets up customers with relocation coordinators who can help plan their moves.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top International Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Great moving experience! Mike and his team were quick and effective and have moved our 1-bedroom apartment in less time than estimated, but still taking great care of all our furn...

Verified

I’m not one to post reviews, but I’m compelled to share that our experience with IVL went well… Our move was for a 4 bedroom house from New York to Seattle. In the midst of all th...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is International Van Lines?

International Van Lines is a licensed moving company that offers a wide variety of services for individuals and families. The company is licensed by the Department of Transportation, the Federal Maritime Commission and the American Moving & Storage Association. It offers its services nationwide and in more than 180 countries.

International Van Lines services

International Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves. Its team provides full-service door-to-door or port-to-port moving solutions. As a licensed freight forwarder, International Van Lines maintains direct contracts with leading ocean carriers in order to provide competitive pricing for international moves. The company also offers freight and air moving solutions.

It pairs customers with relocation coordinators to plan the details of their move. You can schedule an in-person or virtual walk-through to get a more accurate quote and plan.

International Van Lines moving costs

The cost of International Van Lines’ services can range widely from customer to customer — a local move, for example, could cost a quarter of the price of a long-distance one. For easy access to pricing info, you can request a free quote. To hold the date after you get your quote, you’ll have to pay a deposit of about 25% of the total cost of the quote. If you need to cancel, the company refunds 100% of the deposit paid (up to 48 hours before the scheduled pickup).

International Van Lines FAQ

Does International Van Lines offer international moving services?
    Yes. International Van Lines specializes in international moves.
    Is International Van Lines a broker?
    Yes. International Van Lines is both a carrier and a broker for moves. Most customers use it as a carrier, but if a truck breaks down or a customer needs services in places IVL doesn’t cover, it acts as a broker.
    Does International Van Lines have moving insurance?
    Yes. IVL offers insurance for both domestic and international moves. If you opt out, IVL provides limited liability coverage, which covers $0.60 per pound per article.
    Does International Van Lines offer packing services?
    Yes. You can add packing services to your moving package at an additional cost. IVL also sells packing supplies like boxes and tape.

Is International Van Lines a good company?

International Van Lines is a licensed and certified moving carrier with a good history of service and support. It has a vast array of moving options, including freight, air and sea, plus transport to more than 180 countries. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t offer sample pricing online; you have to call the company for a free quote. Its 25% upfront deposit also might not be feasible for some, but it does have a 100% refund policy up to 48 hours before the move.

International Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I’m not one to post reviews, but I’m compelled to share that our experience with IVL went well. As someone that has moved a few times I’ve had good and bad experiences. I was very pleased with the performance of IVL, their movers, drivers and sales rep (Justin). Our move was for a 4 bedroom house from New York to Seattle. In the midst of all the chaos they came through. They were on time, we had no damage or any surprises. We’re pleased customers here and would use them again!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My wife and I recently moved from San Fransico to Seattle. We moved from a 2 to a 3 bedroom house. We interviewed 3 companies and decided on IVL because of our sales rep Justin, and their overall reputation. We never hired movers and had no clue about all the scams out there. Justin did a good job of being transparent, straightforward and giving us the scoop. Other movers promised the world and gave us pricing of about $3000 less then IVL, but after researching those companies I quickly realized I was about to be scammed. Anyhow IVL did a good job. There was a slight delay on delivery for reason beyond their control, so I was fine. We got all of our stuff in one piece and the whole experience was pretty easy.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I’m not one to leave reviews, but as a business owner it was important to leave some feedback regarding my experience with IVL. Most people will stop what they’re doing to write negative comments, but I’m one to understand that leaving positive feedback equals the playing field. Anyhow my move was from Monterey, CA to Manassas, VA. We moved a 4 bedroom home with 2 cars. Their cost was in line, but the main reason I chose them was based on my comfort level. My rep Justin was upfront and honest and put me at ease.

IVL showed up in a nice truck and went to work. We had a total of 6 movers shoe packed everything and was very efficient. It was a straight delivery and everything arrived on time. We had a couple of minor damages, but we filed a claim with insurance and they took care of it. My experience with IVL was positive and I would use them again. My suggestions are to always purchase additional insurance, be very clear with what you’re looking for and always ask for worst case scenarios. Moving is not fun and you should always plan for the worst.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

Relocated my family from NC to Texas. I’m a vet and no stranger to moving. The military moved us over 11 times and 2 of those were with IVL. Their movers did a good job, we had no damage or delays. Their communication was a bit off, but I know COVID has caused problems for most business. All in all a good move and I would use them again. I’d also like to thank Mike J and Lisa C for being attentive.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I’m not much of a reviewer, but I felt the need to leave some feedback due to the exceptional experience I had. First, I’d like to thank Mike ** and Justin ** for providing a great customer service experience. IVL saved me from going with a scam company that was abnormally cheap. Like most people I was shopping around and was surprised at the vast differences in price. IVL appeared more on paper, but the reality is they have me an honest estimate. As expected the movers showed up on the requested date and did their thing. They managed to safely move my 1000lbs safer and grand piano. Everything was delivered as planned and without damage or any scary surprises. I’m happy I did research and didn’t fall victim to one of these so called movers (brokers). Happy customer!

Original review: July 23, 2021

Our experience with International Van Lines has been very, very frustrating. May I recommend that if you're doing a cross country move, you save yourself the hassle and just get rid of everything and buy new stuff when you get there. IVL sent me an email at 4:46pm the day before the movers were scheduled to arrive stating that I needed to pay by check, cashier's check, or money order. Because our check book had been inadvertently packed up, I had to immediately throw my two toddlers in the car and drive in rush hour traffic to our bank, where we arrived breathless 10 mins before they closed to get a cashier's check.

The estimate is supposedly a "binding estimate," but this means absolutely nothing. When the movers arrived in the morning, they said that they were going to have to charge more for various reasons. They did not give me the final amount we needed to pay until after 5pm, when the bank was already closed. Because the amount was nearly double what we'd been told before, we were unable to withdraw enough cash to cover the difference. We attempted Venmo and Zelle payments, but they failed. The mover said that we'd need to meet him the next morning at 10am with a new cashier's check for the new amount. So I woke up the next morning early, left the house with no time for breakfast, back in the car in rush hour traffic to get to the bank. And then he said he had had to go to another city and couldn't meet me. He would contact me later in the day to meet up.

This was our very last day in the state, and we had planned to visit with several friends. Two of those meetings were interrupted trying to meet up with this guy. Finally, we were able to pay him and hop on a plane to our destination. This was 6 weeks ago, and my stuff still has not been delivered to our new house. I provided my delivery address by email on June 25th with no response. I emailed again on July 7th and was told that my request had been sent to dispatch. I emailed again on July 12th with no response. I emailed again on July 15th and was told that my request for an update had been sent to dispatch. I asked for the name and number of someone I could contact in dispatch, and he provided a different phone number.

I sent an email and left a phone message for the dispatch contact on July 15th. No response. I left a phone message on July 16th. No response. I left a phone message on July 17th. No response. I left a phone message on July 19th. No response. I left a phone message on July 20th. No response. I sent an email asking who else I can contact. No response. I left a phone message on July 21st. No response. I left a phone message on July 22nd. No response. Are you noticing a pattern here?

IVL provides absolutely unacceptable customer service. I cannot imagine a worse experience moving. At this point we've been in our empty new house for two weeks. We had to buy a couple of beds, towels, dishes, a small table and chairs, and I'm trying to cook for my family of 4 using only a microwave so that I don't have to buy all new kitchenware. We have no idea when or if our belongings will be delivered at all. If they would ever answer the phone, I'd probably tell them to just dispose of my stuff so I don't have to ever see them again.

Original review: July 10, 2021

We did virtual walkthroughs with four different moving companies and decided to go with the most expensive and the highest reviewed company (International Van Lines). They were scheduled to move us out of the house on a Sunday and guaranteed us they would arrive by no later than Monday morning. After Sunday and Monday morning passed we received no word from anyone in the company when and if they would still be arriving; finally, we received a call that night that they would be there Tuesday morning and that the delays were due to a truck axle breaking (although this was never communicated until now). Pressed for time due to the threat of not being able to close on our house, we took their word that they would be there on time and able to move us out before the closing process.

Due to their lack of communication and transparency we were unable in such short notice to obtain the service of another moving company. Early Tuesday morning there was no sign of the movers showing up until we got a call closer to the afternoon letting us know they were on their way and there was traffic from another major city over an hour away holding them up.

After a chronic lack of communication and every excuse in the book thrown at us, finally the movers arrived in the afternoon on Tuesday. The first thing they did when they came to the house was inform us that they typically receive a 5-10% cash tip, something we usually honor but have never been presented within such a manner before. A few minutes later they informed us that instead of the $11,000 price that was given during the virtual walkthrough they later told us the price was now $20,000. We did not hide the amount of items we had, in fact we already personally moved 20% of our belongings and furniture. The manager had the gall to tell us this after being three days late and not contacting us appropriately putting us in a very awkward position with the closing and walkthrough of our house happening in mere hours.

After a stressful afternoon we had to go to the bank in order to fulfill the new demands given to us. After all the delays, excuses, and utter lack of communication they had the gall to present us with this information as they were packing our belongings into the truck full well knowing we had no other option due to their lack of transparency. While the workers were very hard working, fast and efficient, at this point due to the delays they were not done in time for the closing and walkthrough and thousands of dollars was withheld by the buyers of our previous home while our property was still in the household with the movers, fortunately we were still able to close on the house.

Further delays happened when some of the trucks left to go to other households to move and they were lost for hours trying to return back and find the location they were previously at that day. After everything was packed into the trucks and the movers left they informed us they would not personally be taking our property to our destination but we would maybe get it by Friday (three days later). When they left and we moved to a new location we were contacted by the owners of our previous home to tell us that the movers forgot to pack drawers and drawers of silverware and appliances that they were directly told multiple times to pack. Fortunately the new owners were understanding and a family member personally picked up these items and drove them tens of hours across the coast to our new residence.

The movers also were not aware that we could understand the language they were communicating in, multiple times they were heard making disparaging comments towards us and scheming about getting us to sign a new contract as soon as possible. All of this to add to the numerous other issues. Perhaps you could look past the purely unprofessional behavior if they fulfilled their contract and delivered us our property in the estimated timeframe of three days, or the latest of seven days; however, it has been twelve days and hundreds of phone calls to every number we had available with not a single return call, voicemail, or message to update us where our missing property is.

Finally after the twelfth day we called the number for an estimation on a move and got to speak to a representative that was not only unprofessional and unable to explain what was happening, but hung up on us when we told us about our experience. The only information she was able to tell us is that the company was backed up and our belongings have not even left the state. At this point we are evaluating every option to proceed. But after dozens of cross country and international moves our family has experienced, we have never had an experience this terrible. We have never been jerked around, bullied, lied to, and left in the dark by a business experience like this ever.

The amount of undue stress caused by this experience has made our move infinitely worse as we sit in an empty home with no word if we will ever see our belongings again. We still don’t have our property, we have still not been contacted. This moving company as far as I can tell is not interested in giving reasonable expectations to customers or fulfilling their duty to deliver goods safely. We will never use this company again or recommend it to anyone we know that values transparent and realistic pricing, punctuality, basic professional behavior, packing and transporting your belongings on time, or the basic decency of communicating issues on the timeline of the move.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I am perplexed at the high ratings that International Van Lines displays on their website. I moved with them in April-May of this year and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I paid for a full pack and a move from the Kansas City area to Candia, NH. The original quote was around $8000, which I thought high, but I was reassured by their ratings. My final cost was more like $12,000. And here are just a few of the things I paid for--

--a crew that showed up late and smelling like cigarettes and alcohol
      --that used my steak knives for cutting tape and threw their trash into my boxes

--that had at least one member WHO DID NOT WRAP OR PACK ANYTHING for this cross-country move.

This included most of my electronics and small appliances. My very heavy stand mixer was dropped unwrapped upside down in a carton with other small appliances. It broke my food processor and scratched and chipped other things in the box. My Blu-ray player was crushed in a box with gardening pots and supplies. My 2 printers were dropped on top of each other, no protection, in the bottom of a wardrobe box hung with clothing. Dishes and glass shelves were stacked and wrapped in one sheet of paper. There were chips and cracks and broken items everywhere.

In addition, the pack took 2 days instead of one--the crew (very good) in New Hampshire who moved me in said that there was an excessive use of tape and boxes--that these "professionals" were padding their hours. This crew could not believe the quality of the work they saw. In addition to the breakage and damage, one box was completely lost. They said they looked for it and sent me a communication about it which I never received. When I asked for that to be resent, I received nothing. I have to follow the rules to file a claim. It won't be worth it monetarily. What I would really like is my packing fee refunded since I received no packing on at least 1/3 of my possessions. All I can say is learn from my experience. DO NOT MOVE WITH IVL, especially from the Midwest. I have moved cross-country three times and this was the absolute worst.

Original review: June 22, 2021

I wish I could give this company Negative Stars. From start to finish this move has been rife with incompetence, lies, misdirection, passing of buck, phone calls not returned, not even being able to get through when calling (EVERYTHING goes to a voicemail system to include customer support), binding estimate not even close to actual costs (mine went from approx $17k to $27K).

At the time I contracted with IVL, I had extensive and explicit discussions with Justin in regards to my delivery date expectation. I was told they do not guarantee dates but give a 3 day window. The contracted conversation with their booking specialist was that they would pick up my stuff on 25/26 May in Virginia to be delivered in Texas within the agreed upon window of 17-19 June. (22-24 days should be plenty or so one would think) However a few minutes after the booking conversation, I received the contract by email and saw the 21 day standard language. I called the booking specialist back and I was assured that as with all contracts this was standard language that was printed on all contracts to safeguard for extenuating circumstances such as natural disaster, truck break-down/accidents etc. but was told the 3 day window (17-19 June) superseded that and I could disregard or so I thought.

IVL would then go on to apparently subcontract with American Knights Van Lines, which I was never advised they would do. Had I know that, I would have NEVER contracted IVL. I went with IVL because they were very highly rated. This must be another industry where you can buy your rating. Due to the horrendous customer service and blatant lies being told to me at every step of the way, I can say I have spoken to almost every level of management within the company only to get the same terrible treatment and for them to hide behind their lies. Their customer service has been completely inept at their job.

On the day of pack-out American Knights (which is an absolutely HORRIBLE company) showed up and my "binding estimate" increased by more than $10k and was told take it or leave it. They know you won't leave it because it most likely too late for you to re-contract with another carrier. So you're stuck and they know - scam artists). I was informed that they (American Knights) does not guarantee delivery dates and the dates I requested for delivery is what they refer to as "first date of availability". At NO TIME prior to 3/4 of my shipment already being loaded on their truck did they communicate that. The driver goes on to state that the "standard language" of 21 days from "1st date of availability" is what they WILL use and that nothing in the contact negotiation discussions will be honored and they WILL tell you to take it up with IVL. Which I did, only to be told they will "make every effort to deliver on your 1st date of availability. "

There is very little IVL will/can do and you will not be at the complete mercy of American Knights Van lines. [Just for clarity, for example, you ask for your stuff to be delivered 15 June, they can choose whenever the hell they want to deliver it between 15 June and 6 July. They hide behind this crap and must be the only industry that you pays tens of thousands of dollars to and they can do whatever the hell they want and show up whenever the hell they want.] Then when you call (because they never call you), they will tell you, "We will be there tomorrow between 10 and 11." Then 11 comes and goes, you call back only to be told, "oh the driver got mixed up, he wont be there until tomorrow," and so on and so on. I cannot describe to you just what a nightmare this entire process has been. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT contract with IVL or America Knights.

Original review: June 21, 2021

My recent move was from NYC to Miami, FL. They moved our 2/2 into another 2/2 condo. We have very fragile items, like artwork and a piano. IVL and their crew did a great job with crating, packing and making sure all of our possessions arrived with no damages. I’d also like to say that we had zero hidden charges. The experience was good, actually great! I understand why they’re ranked so high and I will be recommending them.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

International Van Lines Company Information