toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

International Van Lines

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. We're happy that you were satisfied with our services. We wish you the best of luck with your new venture.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Job well done. We contracted IVL due to their online reputation. We also found a friend that has used and referred them. Our sales rep Justin ** was very informative. He provided us with all the details we needed and scheduled an in-home survey. The movers Serge & Hiram was very polite and went above on the packing services. We rec'd our shipment in about 10 days which worked well for us. I was happy with my choice and would use International Van Lines again.

International Van Lines

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

IVL was my first choice simply because I've used them in the past. Movers showed up on time and did a great job packing & loading. My cost did increase by $200, but that's because we did decide to add a curio cabinet last minute. All in all we're happy with their services.

International Van Lines

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

I liked the cost that International Van Lines quoted so I got them when I had to move from one state to the next. I just told the transport organizer what I needed, what we have, and where we needed to go, and their contractor contacted me later. They did a good job and I enjoyed my experience with them.

Gail,

Thank you so much for spending the time and leaving us a review.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

International Van Lines is so far great. All the people we dealt with prior to them coming to the house were very good. When they came to the house, we were very pleased with how they approached our things and did the job. Hopefully like the company we used once before, they don’t have a leak in the roof and they have to take it to our final home and unpack it, so job is not yet done but so far we're extremely pleased.

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for spending the time and leaving us a review.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2015

International Van Lines has good ratings online and my experience was good. Nothing was broken or lost and the moving crew was great. Three guys came out and packed everything and it was easy. So everything was perfect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

International Van Lines

Original review: June 17, 2015

International Van Lines handled my family's long distance move from Utah to MO. Like other reviewers I hired IVL based on their level of professionalism and simple because they didn't seem to play games like other moving companies we spoke with. IVL provided us with a binding estimate and everything they promised was in fact true. The cost went up by $150, but I was okay with that. All in all they did a great job and get 5 stars from us.

Great moving service. I just wanted to take the time and leave these guys a positive review. My agent (Justin) was very good to work with. He explained everything and he seemed to be on point. I would use them again simply because of how easy they made the move for me. 5 stars!!

Recently moved to NY from Chicago and used IVL. IVL has a contract with the company I work for so I didn't have much of a choice. However, I can see why my company only uses IVL. Movers were easy and did a great job the whole way through. I would use them again.

Factual basis uncertain

I was moving out of state to relocate for a job and International Van Lines said they could do the move in the timeline that I was looking at. The moving crew seemed nice but every time I would do stuff, prices kept on increasing. And along the way, things kept disappearing from my stuff like wedding rings, and I don’t know how I can possibly even tell because they contract out to so many different people. In the end, my experience was very expensive and IVL had a poor timeline.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The experience with International Van Lines was fine. The people who picked the couch up were different from the people who delivered it and both teams did a great job. They were really nice people. They wrapped everything well when they did the pick-up, and the delivery team set everything up at the new house.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I moved from Connecticut to California, I shortlisted a few companies, took the quote and checked their ratings, and International Van Lines gave a better quote for me. My experience with the crew that handled my move was good except that I had one minor issue. There is a minor communication gap. They asked me whether the vehicle is reachable to the destination in front of the apartment. I booked the apartment remotely so I was not sure. I gave them a screenshot of that apartment but they didn’t tell me anything whether they can or cannot park that vehicle there. I was not aware this big truck was going there so they charged me an extra amount for that and nobody contacted me. The driver asked me the extra amount and at that time, I contacted that lady whom I can speak with, but she didn’t even ask me how was the experience or anything that happened. Except that amount case, everything was okay. Their service was working and I had already recommended one of my friends to them.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was moving from Texas to Arizona and hired International Van Lines due to their pricing and personality. The customer service reps were very helpful. I was able to get ahold of them when I needed to. Also, my experience with the moving crew was very comfortable. IVL did what they said they would do.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The move was from Florida to New York. Our concierge service called Quintessential has a relationship with International Van Lines and so we used them. The crew was good and everything went well. There was a little mix-up but for the most part, it was fine. There’s always very open communication and it's pretty seamless.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

When I Googled "best van lines," ConsumerAffairs came up with a list of 6 of them. A few of them didn’t go to Texas or weren’t in Philly so that’s how I got International Van Lines because they’re in Coral Springs which is not far from us. I used them twice within the year for my daughter when she left and went from Philly to Austin, and Austin back to Florida. The crew in Philly was great but the crew in Austin was horrible. They lost boxes and the stuff were damaged. They looked like they had thrown it off the truck. They also put the bed frame on upside down. When I called the guy who I dealt with at International Van Lines, he took care of it. They rectified the situation and had fired that crew so they were no longer using that subcontractor. So the ones that picked her up in Austin the second time were good and the the guys who dropped her off in Tampa were also really good.

Overall, it was an easy and flawless move. International Van Lines did what they said and were very accommodating. They tried to make it as headache-free as they could except for that crew in Texas.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

​I researched International Van Lines online through Angie’s List and some other consumer review type websites and picked them. They helped set up a date that was acceptable to me with a backup date if they couldn’t make that. I've moved with them twice. The first time they accommodated us in trying to have a more dedicated truck rather than a big semi ‘cause I lived out of the country and had a very long driveway that was about 700-foot. I was afraid that since the move was in November, it might be difficult to get the semi up if we had a lot of snow. We did not know what the weather would be when we scheduled it a couple months ahead of time. But they worked to try to get me a smaller truck, which was nice.

I then had interactions with the person who was also dealing with the insurance and found out what my options were. And although I had an idea of the date they were going to come, they called a day in advance to let me know that they would be there the next day and gave me an approximate time they would show up. We had several pieces of furniture that we bought brand new up in Minnesota ‘cause they were cheaper to move down, and unfortunately, they got damaged and that wasn’t very nice. We weren’t very happy with the damage upfront, which if they had taken a little more time to wrap it slightly differently, we wouldn’t have had that issue.

But they tried to do a good job, though. On most of the stuff, they wrapped them pretty well. But it was five rooms of furniture and I wasn't able to watch everything they did. They damaged a couple of pieces but I had the higher level insurance and the person that they recommended to fix the pieces did a really excellent job and we were okay with that.

International Van Lines subcontracted out to other people and I wasn’t really quite clear of that when we first went with them. But I liked them enough that we went with them the second time. We moved three rooms because we had moved our son also down here. They damaged several pieces but much more minor than the time before. They weren’t new pieces so it wasn’t quite as big a deal. When they loaded up or in the act of transferring from one truck to another, perhaps that’s where the damage occurred. I only fixed one of the items ‘cause it was too expensive to replace them. When they unloaded, they did fine, though.

My biggest complaint would be that they rush a little bit and sometimes they don’t wrap as well as they could some of the more complicated or delicate furniture pieces or when they stack it to try to fill the truck as efficiently as possible. They could have told me upfront too that there was a waste factor for packing. I measured and weighed everything for them ahead of time, so they had a good idea what they were going to get. Their estimate based on that is what they used for the charge. With a more efficient packing, the 10 to 15 percent excess that they liked to put in to make sure they can pack up the truck, the cost could have been adjusted. Once they set the cost, that was final and there isn’t any negotiation of that.

Nonetheless, we didn’t lose a single thing where we moved. We had a mini van and a Subaru Outback so we were able to pack everything nice and I purposely made it so they were moving either books and/or furniture. I made it in some ways easier for them than maybe somebody who had to move all their personal possessions through the movers. I would still recommend International Van Lines over some of the horror stories I’ve heard about other movers. The people were nice, they cleaned up after they came, and they called to check on things and to give us a heads up when they were going to drop off.

Also, moving companies have this window when they’re going to deliver and they give you a window that can be a couple of weeks long. Waiting for two weeks for your furniture could be irksome even though that is within the limit of what their contract allows. In both my cases, they didn't push the limit stated in the contract and they tried to be within a day or two or what they thought could be a reasonable date to deliver on, which was nice.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was going from the state of Michigan to Nevada and International Van Lines gave me a quote that was lower than the others. Everything was perfect with the crew and there were no damages. They were polite, picked up my stuff on time, and were very careful with them. They also did the delivery exactly the day I wanted. Everything was pretty smooth and I was happy with everything.

IVL was my first choice simply due to the rep Justin I dealt with. He was very informative and detailed in explaining the process. My move overall went smooth with a couple of minor hiccups. Based on my previous experiences with other companies IVL was great. I would use them again.

Factual basis uncertain

My family and I relocated from North Carolina to Colorado in October 2016. Prior to selecting a moving company, I contacted various companies within the industry and did extensive online research regarding their customer service, reliability/punctuality, professionalism, etc. After a month of working with each company, my husband and I selected International Van Lines. This decision was based primarily on the exceptional customer reviews and Better Business Bureau rating. We opted to insure both the contents of our move and the moving costs for $73,177.20. All insured items were inventoried prior to our moving date.

Over the 2-day moving period, I inadvertently left my jewelry inside my jewelry box. Of note, I had not insured my jewelry, as it was not my intent to have it packed as part of the move. In retrospect, I should have contacted International Van Lines once I realized this oversight but I did not. This is a regret that I must now live with for one small box contained 3 wedding rings from both my mother and grandmother. When our items were unpacked in Colorado, every item contained on our insurance inventory arrived. Several items were damaged (dryer, 2 tables, glassware, etc.). I have since filed our claim for damages and I am currently awaiting feedback on reimbursement for these damages.

The box that contained my family’s wedding rings also arrived but the jewelry box and rings that were kept inside were missing. I immediately contacted International Van Lines and tearfully explained my situation. The customer service representative, Lisa, was extremely helpful and sincerely apologetic. Several days later, I was notified that since these rings (1 carat solitaire, 1.5 carat solitaire, 1 platinum wedding band) were not on my inventory, I could only be compensated 60 cents per pound. After working back and forth with the customer service department, I was offered a final offer of $500 as long as I was willing to sign a confidentiality agreement. I was told in writing they did not have to offer even that. As though that was a favor. As I explained to customer service, my trust in their company has been shattered. And, therefore, I felt compelled to share my story as a precaution to future customers.

Factual basis uncertain

Be careful of this company. Everything was don't worry, everything is fine as they loaded our goods. We took maximum insurance. On the front end they told us we didn't need to worry about details. They would do a complete inventory when they loaded our container. They gave us a pick up date and delivery. Pick up seemed fine and they did the inventory. Our cargo box arrived 3 weeks late due to an error in the paperwork. The had the wrong country. Next as we started to unpack there were many damaged items and worse approximately 20 missing boxes. We were told port to port the container would be sealed and not tampered with - Not the case. They claim no responsibility and $7,000 insurance claim is being paid at $900 mainly due to the detail provided in Their inventory. BE AWARE.

This move was the 1st long distance for my husband & I. In the beginning, selecting International Van Lines & moving forward with inventory list with relocation specialist seemed to go very well. Until a different moving co. (American Knights) showed up to load our things on Nov. 2nd & take back to Cleveland, OH to await other hauls in order to fill a semi for trip out west. I was told our things would probably be in Colorado by the end of the next week. We arrived @ new home on Nov. 6th but our things didn't get here until the night before Thanksgiving (Nov. 22nd).

So for 16 days I was redirected to a different person every time I contacted the moving co. to see when our things would be delivered. They kept putting me off & led me to believe it would be soon but that didn't happen! Everyone was nice that I spoke with but be prepared for things to not go as you might expect. And please, insure your things. I didn't and regret it... damaged furniture & some inventory that didn't make it to us. We also still have another family's personal & sentimental items that the moving co. still hasn't taken care of getting from us. It's been over a month since I reported it to them.

Factual basis uncertain

The complaint is about the poor service offered by the company and the excessive charges levied once we had signed up. They used unethical tactics to extract money out of us as they were holding our goods to ransom. They didn’t respond in time to emails seeking clarification on extra charges and left it too late to be resolved for consequential delay charges to be applied. Also they had not mentioned in the contract the terms at the destination country especially about the charges, the free time allowance and the weekend working restriction. I actually had decided to go with another company but this company lured me in by offering a cheaper quotation and bad mouthing the other company.

On the day of packing, the crew weren’t adequately prepared or resourced. They didn’t have enough boxes as they used our cartons which were flat packed from the last move we did (our cartons turned out to be much more durable than the ones they had). They also kept wasting time as had to wait for knives to be available from other members. Prior to the move date, I had raised concern on the amount of time they had allowed for packing and loading, all to be done within the same day. I was told by the management that it's their own crew, not subcontracted, and they know how to get it done within the time allowed. They also emphasized that my contract was for a full 20’ container and I shouldn’t worry as to how long it takes or how much material they use to pack it.

On the day, the container arrived around 1pm but the crew didn’t start loading till about 3pm as they hadn’t finished the packing. Me and my wife ended up bringing the stuff out of the house ourselves as the crew had stopped working. We requested to put more stuff in the container as there still was space, but the crew leader refused and closed the doors after putting only a few of the things we brought out. Whilst talking to IVL management team about the extra charges for loading delay, they said we had too much stuff to pack! They still loaded a 20’ container and I had initially offered them to view the goods prior to packing, but they refused stating they know what they are doing. I argued that it was their crew who were packing and loading and therefore I shouldn’t be held responsible for their inefficiency and delay, but the management didn’t bother listening.

I have plenty of pictures from the arrival day, to show the empty space and the fact that boxes had fallen over in the container as they weren’t stacked properly, implying there was still space. Had the crew wanted, they could have put the stuff that had been left behind and also some of which we had to throw away as it couldn’t have been brought in a flight.

The team really came through for me in the clutch on my last minute move to NYC, which saved me from additional storage costs. The movers were really efficient and careful. Everyone was so patient and courteous but best of all No Damages!!! I highly recommend these guys.

Factual basis uncertain

Don't bother calling this company. By email I furnished detailed room by room descriptions of what was to move and the set of photos that correlated to all the items. The coordinator was unable to follow this as I went room to room on the phone with him discussing the description and the photos. He said " this is too confusing - I have to turn down the job." I had no problem at all communicating with two other companies.

Factual basis uncertain

The movers showed up in my California home on time. They were very thorough with the wrapping and loading my belongings. The disaster came when the truck arrived in Massachusetts. Every box was upside-down, broken leg on my dresser and dryer, several other items were broken. One guy didn't speak English and the other had trouble communicating him. Then he had the nerve to ask for a bonus. I was unaware my stuff would be moved from one truck to another. The second truck looked like it was very old. A couple hours later a neighbor showed up door and told me they drove over her lawn. I would not recommend this company.

Factual basis uncertain

Writing this review so no one has to experience the nightmare me and my family went through and still going through after 9 months. BEWARE!!! They are not as they appear. Problem started when they showed up 2 days late and it wasn't even an IVL truck. They had too small a truck and not all our stuff fit. They only delivered at 11 pm and took 3 moves before delivering only 75% of our stuff. The other 25% went missing and they never bothered to help us find the rest of our stuff. To make matters worse, we received items that were full of mold, see attached picture. They delivered to us, other people's property and tried to convince us to keep it. They take no responsibility for losing/taking our stuff and they will not answer any of our calls. As far as they are concerned, they got their money and they are done. In the process of suing them. STAY AWAY!!!

I was scheduled to move on October 30. I spoke with George on multiple occasions, making him well aware that I had to have a representative there for me because I would not be there to watch the movers load my stuff. When I last verified with him on October 28 that everything was a "go", he said he needed to talk to the dispatch company to make sure everything was fine and he would call me back but I would still have my pickup date for october 30. I'm still waiting on that call.

I was told the movers would call 2-3 hours before they arrive. My representative called me on Sunday to alert me that he was in the area and would stay in the area until the movers called him. By Sunday evening, no one had called me or him. Also, being the end of the month, I now have to pay another month of storage. Anyway, I called the company Sunday afternoon and evening and no one answered. I emailed George and he still hasn't gotten back to me.

I did speak to Steve - another one of International Van Lines representatives - and he is the one person in this organization that does communicate. He said he would get it taken care of and find out what happened. Of course no explanation ever followed. So I promptly asked for a refund and he sent me a copy of the email he sent to dispatch because I never got an answer, an explanation for them missing my pickup or a call when they could reschedule. International Van Lines dropped the ball. They dropped it far and long. Find another company. Moving already sucks without the extra headache of somebody not keeping you abreast of situations.

Factual basis uncertain

International Van Lines is just a front company. They are part of a corporation that has several moving companies. Be aware of whom you're dealing with and do your research. They come up as one of the best reviewed movers on Consumer Affairs. Don't believe the reviews!! I call B.S. on them. My story as follows:

I was in a desperate situation when I called them. I was moving across the country and had another moving company, Colonial Van Lines, (Which is another horrible company to deal with) leave me with a good portion of my furniture that they couldn't fit on their truck they sent. I had a garage full of leftover items that I needed to get moved when I called them. I called IVL because of their online reviews and my huge dilemma I was now faced with because of the last mover. I explained to them that I was looking for a company that used their own trucks and their own drivers and a contact person who could help me finish this move. The "Salesman" guaranteed me that they only use their driver and trucks and everyone is an employee - First LIE.

He sent an estimator to my house to calculate how much and what kind of items there were left to pack. I was quoted a price and scheduled the move. I was trying to coordinate all this from across the country now as my original move had already happened. I needed a company that could come through for me. WRONG CHOICE! The mover did not show up on the day I was told after coordinating family and neighbors to help facilitate the process.

After calling the office of IVL all day long to find out where my truck was (no answer BTW) I finally received a call late that afternoon telling me that the movers would be there the next day at 3:00pm. I rallied my help once again only to be let down ONCE AGAIN. Some random Penske rental truck showed up at my property at 8:00PM, proceeded to back up a narrow driveway, in the dark, and then drove off the side into the planter destroying the asphalt. My neighbor called me and I spoke to the driver. He was an outside hired, independent mover. No affiliation with IVL at all. They farm out all their jobs, like all the rest of the movers.

Anyways to make a long horrible story short: After he came back the next day at a reasonable time he told me he didn't have enough room on his truck to guarantee all my items would fit, He couldn't guarantee that my items would not be broken in the move, his "dispatcher" wanted to charge me an undisclosed sum to box up my items prior to loading. I finally told him "No thanks. I would make other arrangements." His dispatcher got on the phone and yelled at me and threatened me.

The Salesman at IVL got on the phone and blamed me because we had several outdoor pots and told me that I was going to pay the deposit, no matter what. I disputed the charge with my c.c. company, but lost due to a late cancellation clause, which I was never told about, never saw any paperwork, nor signed anything. If this is the kind of customer service and follow through they provided me BE CAREFUL when looking for your mover!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2016

IVL has resolved this dispute to my satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

This is a corrupt company that lost or destroyed over a third of my household property. My wife and I contracted with International Van lines for a move from Baltimore, MD to Lafayette, IN. We agreed to a binding estimate for our move and paid the down payment. When the movers arrived, Simon, the foreman, immediately started complaining that there was more stuff than we agreed on. And in fact, there were three more bookshelves than we had mentioned in our estimate. We had forgotten about them in our original planning.

After Simon had everything packed on the truck, he continued to complain about the extra bookcases and to say we owed more money. He called his boss and we agreed on a revised price to include the extra items. While he was rude and overly dramatic, we were just happy to have our stuff on the truck and Simon out of our lives.

After two weeks, we get the call that our stuff was being delivered. To our great surprise, instead of International Van Lines, we were greeted by a representative of different moving company. The foreman said he had picked up our stuff at a warehouse in DC (BR Moving company), and that when he picked up our stuff he noticed that a pipe had burst in the warehouse, completely soaking over a third of our boxes. He took pictures of the warehouse and the burst pipe to prove it.

When we began to unpack the wet boxes, it was clear that the contents were ruined. We had a large collection of antiques that was completely destroyed. IVL made no effort to alert us about the water damage. What's more, they made no effort to check the inventory to make sure they had delivered everything. We refused to sign the inventory on delivery and upon checking each box against the inventory discovered that we were missing 26 boxes plus all of the glass for one of our pieces of furniture. Almost all of the furniture was damaged, either by water or other abuse. Two chairs were completely broken, one of which was missing its entire back. Our cabinet was warped from water damage.

I alerted IVL of this immediately, and they referred us to the moving insurance company. Our policy with the insurance company only covered certain pieces of furniture, not the scores of boxes that were destroyed or missing. The insurance company has been very kind and helpful, but we have still received no compensation from IVL for our damaged and missing items. Steve ** from IVL assured me that the manager, Sean **, was looking our missing boxes but it has been two months and we have heard nothing from Sean. He has not returned my emails or calls.

To add insult to injury, IVL delivered a box of someone's contents (books). The other person's name is clearly listed on the box. When I alerted IVL of this, they did not seem concerned. Despite repeated requests for them to send someone to pick it up or to send a call tag so I could return these to their rightful owner, IVL has ignored my requests. They clearly lack concern for my property and the property of others.

Like most of you I chose this company off of the reviews and hoped to receive that same type of "great service" people talk so much about. Let me just say that this company (IVL) needs to try a lot harder to win any type of praise from me. When the driver showed up he had no identifiable type of uniform nor anything that says he works for a respectable moving company. Honestly he looks like someone gave him some cash and said "go here and pick up." My instructions on how to navigate my driveway were ignored, thus he showed up alone and could not move my items in a timely manner. I had to help him load and unload all of my household goods onto my truck, down my driveway onto his U-haul trailer. I am an injured vet with back problems (bulging discs, pinched nerve) so you can imagine how unhappy I was to have to help in all of this. But forget that.

So my items leave Pasadena, California (25 Apr 2016) and are headed for Virginia. Most of my items arrive around June 10. When the truck pulled up and I looked inside... holy cow!! What a mess!! Items (not just mine) were piled up to the truck ceiling and some had fallen over on my things... broken boxes, broken glass, just a total mess! Obviously the people who packed this particular truck were... in a hurry, not experienced, or too busy to care for the belongings of others. So I (once again) had to use my truck to load the items around to the backside of my house... again... annoying but not a big deal. As the drivers/loaders helped fish out my boxes, I had to remind them once or twice to not throw them into my truck bed! (Yes I had a few broken dishes, but no biggie). So once the unloading was done... I quickly realized that two items were missing... my computer monitor with cables and a large suitcase with my military uniforms.

I had the drivers sign the papers and they said I should contact the company because they have no idea where my items could be. I have been in contact with a few people since then about my missing items and they were very polite at first but then some just ignored my emails and phone calls (I won't say their names). I was told to contact the man in California who was responsible for my move and he could help me out.

Well, today is October 19, 2016 and I still have no idea where my monitor or my uniforms are! They never call me back with any updates. I always have to call and remind them that I'm still waiting. Now I know it's a large business and they are busy. However, how many more months do they need? I feel that I have been very patient with them. I have given up hope on my computer monitor... however my uniforms are extremely important and I can only hope that they were not stolen. I am livid with this company and I have no clue how this will turn out. This is an honest and true review, please consider it when making your decision. P.S. I would have included my receipt but my scanner cables have not arrived yet.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved for a job. I didn't have a lot to move but I didn't want to drive. I checked the reviews and International Van Lines was one of the better reviewed moving options. However, when I called and told them what I have, they gave me a quote and under-estimated by a lot, like the actual square-footage. So it was a little surprising when the movers got there and had to do the adjustments, and there was a significant difference. It's not a problem but it would've been good if they told me ahead of time. Better logistics in the future would be helpful because a lot of people that have never done this are not very familiar with the square-footage, how things work, and how much is needed to calculate them. Also, I was missing one or two boxes. I didn't submit a claim because they give cents on the dollar so it's not even worth my time.

International Van Lines Company Profile