2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.88/5

Get matched with a Moving partner

International Van Lines, also known as IVL, operates throughout the entire continental U.S. and services all kinds of destinations worldwide. It offers long-distance, international and local moving services. It also provides free quotes and sets up customers with relocation coordinators who can help plan their moves.

BOTTOM LINE

International Van Lines is a licensed moving carrier that offers multiple services across the nation and in 180+ countries. Although it doesn’t provide cost info online, you can request a free customized quote.

PROS
    • 180+ countries
    • Free quotes
    • Multiple options
    CONS
    • 25% deposit
    • No pricing info upfront

Top International Van Lines Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Great moving experience! Mike and his team were quick and effective and have moved our 1-bedroom apartment in less time than estimated, but still taking great care of all our furniture, boxes and random items! Would use them again in a heart-beat!

I’m not one to post reviews, but I’m compelled to share that our experience with IVL went well… Our move was for a 4 bedroom house from New York to Seattle. In the midst of all the chaos they came through. They were on time, we had no damage or any surprises. We’re pleased customers here…

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is International Van Lines?

International Van Lines is a licensed moving company that offers a wide variety of services for individuals and families. The company is licensed by the Department of Transportation, the Federal Maritime Commission and the American Moving & Storage Association. It offers its services nationwide and in more than 180 countries.

International Van Lines services

International Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves. Its team provides full-service door-to-door or port-to-port moving solutions. As a licensed freight forwarder, International Van Lines maintains direct contracts with leading ocean carriers in order to provide competitive pricing for international moves. The company also offers freight and air moving solutions.

It pairs customers with relocation coordinators to plan the details of their move. You can schedule an in-person or virtual walk-through to get a more accurate quote and plan.

International Van Lines moving costs

The cost of International Van Lines’ services can range widely from customer to customer — a local move, for example, could cost a quarter of the price of a long-distance one. For easy access to pricing info, you can request a free quote. To hold the date after you get your quote, you’ll have to pay a deposit of about 25% of the total cost of the quote. If you need to cancel, the company refunds 100% of the deposit paid (up to 48 hours before the scheduled pickup).

International Van Lines FAQ

Does International Van Lines offer international moving services?
      Yes. International Van Lines specializes in international moves.
      Is International Van Lines a broker?
      Yes. International Van Lines is both a carrier and a broker for moves. Most customers use it as a carrier, but if a truck breaks down or a customer needs services in places IVL doesn’t cover, it acts as a broker.
      Does International Van Lines have moving insurance?
      Yes. IVL offers insurance for both domestic and international moves. If you opt out, IVL provides limited liability coverage, which covers $0.60 per pound per article.
      Does International Van Lines offer packing services?
      Yes. You can add packing services to your moving package at an additional cost. IVL also sells packing supplies like boxes and tape.

Is International Van Lines a good company?

International Van Lines is a licensed and certified moving carrier with a good history of service and support. It has a vast array of moving options, including freight, air and sea, plus transport to more than 180 countries. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t offer sample pricing online; you have to call the company for a free quote. Its 25% upfront deposit also might not be feasible for some, but it does have a 100% refund policy up to 48 hours before the move.

International Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

I’m not one to post reviews, but I’m compelled to share that our experience with IVL went well. As someone that has moved a few times I’ve had good and bad experiences. I was very pleased with the performance of IVL, their movers, drivers and sales rep (Justin). Our move was for a 4 bedroom house from New York to Seattle. In the midst of all the chaos they came through. They were on time, we had no damage or any surprises. We’re pleased customers here and would use them again!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

My wife and I recently moved from San Fransico to Seattle. We moved from a 2 to a 3 bedroom house. We interviewed 3 companies and decided on IVL because of our sales rep Justin, and their overall reputation. We never hired movers and had no clue about all the scams out there. Justin did a good job of being transparent, straightforward and giving us the scoop. Other movers promised the world and gave us pricing of about $3000 less then IVL, but after researching those companies I quickly realized I was about to be scammed. Anyhow IVL did a good job. There was a slight delay on delivery for reason beyond their control, so I was fine. We got all of our stuff in one piece and the whole experience was pretty easy.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I’m not one to leave reviews, but as a business owner it was important to leave some feedback regarding my experience with IVL. Most people will stop what they’re doing to write negative comments, but I’m one to understand that leaving positive feedback equals the playing field. Anyhow my move was from Monterey, CA to Manassas, VA. We moved a 4 bedroom home with 2 cars. Their cost was in line, but the main reason I chose them was based on my comfort level. My rep Justin was upfront and honest and put me at ease.

IVL showed up in a nice truck and went to work. We had a total of 6 movers shoe packed everything and was very efficient. It was a straight delivery and everything arrived on time. We had a couple of minor damages, but we filed a claim with insurance and they took care of it. My experience with IVL was positive and I would use them again. My suggestions are to always purchase additional insurance, be very clear with what you’re looking for and always ask for worst case scenarios. Moving is not fun and you should always plan for the worst.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I’m not much of a reviewer, but I felt the need to leave some feedback due to the exceptional experience I had. First, I’d like to thank Mike ** and Justin ** for providing a great customer service experience. IVL saved me from going with a scam company that was abnormally cheap. Like most people I was shopping around and was surprised at the vast differences in price. IVL appeared more on paper, but the reality is they have me an honest estimate. As expected the movers showed up on the requested date and did their thing. They managed to safely move my 1000lbs safer and grand piano. Everything was delivered as planned and without damage or any scary surprises. I’m happy I did research and didn’t fall victim to one of these so called movers (brokers). Happy customer!

Original review: July 17, 2020

As a military brat I’m no stranger to dealing with movers. I’ve used all the top-rated companies from United to Allied. This was my first time hiring IVL and the reason we did was because of their reviews and my rep Mike J. Unlike the others we got one month of storage free, packing was reasonable and they paid attention to the details that I know are important. We had a pleasant experience with office staff and their crews. I wanted to take the time because it’s well deserved.

Original review: March 22, 2021

As a business owner and having dealt with many companies in my lifetime, I can confirm that working with International Van Lines was the WORST experience I've ever had with a company... Our business was acquired under the firm pretense that the stellar correspondence we received by the IVL agent, the promise of the careful handling of our goods and an efficient transportation of such would be second-to-none. The estimate was indeed second to none as it far exceeded that of our next closest bid by many thousands of dollars.

Regardless, given the existing stress of moving my family across the country, my objective was not securing a cheap, inaccurate, unreliable and second rate service, therefore you acquired my business as I had a hopeful expectation that the professionalism I perceived, was lead to believe was foundational and the elevated cost of such would constitute for a significantly higher quality experience. Unfortunately, at this juncture, I can confirm it has not.

In addition to the incredible proposition of waiting 21 days from our first availability to receive everything we own, (communicated after they secured all of our belongings and $$$) my family and I have experienced the following –

• An additional unforeseen $2,400 increase of our, already $17,000, move applied by their assigned moving company upon arrival, who –
        • Left much of our stuff at our home following ‘their completion’, as they –
        • Tried to debate/argue with me as to whether they would pick up the remaining items, but finally responded that –
        • They would “fulfil their contract” and pickup the rest of our stuff (I have this in a text as it should be enshrined in the worst Customer Support hall of fame), while they-
        • Returned and picked up some remaining items, they -
        • Still left key and obvious items, which are still present in our home such as items in the master bathroom, kids bathroom, living room, etc. (See obvious items such as rugs that are still present attached.)

• Much of our fragile/precious belongings were carelessly thrown in to boxes with heavier objects and as a result shattered beyond repair.

If, even remotely, viewed through the lens of the client; you will clearly see that the promises made and subsequent cost of this partnership is nowhere close to being successfully reconciled… As the Senior Relocation Coordinator, and more importantly than a job title, but as a exceptional sales representative (as I am myself) who acquires new business with the assurance of a quality experience backed by personal integrity; I would have an expectation of their uncompromised advocacy beyond a desire to simply maintain the reputation of the organization but of personal standards and to represent those whom they've made promises of quality, but the experience has evidently and substantially lapsed.

Contrasting their verbal indication of a 10-day max transportation time (from pickup which was 1/31), for which they confirmed by re-listening to the recorded call and confirmed with me on 2/9, with what we’ve been informed of in the below email of a now likely 21-day (from date we approved delivery), would appear to any reasonable consumer of your service to be an evident ‘bait and switch’ to the degree that it represents a standard business practice.

In fact, by having the transit time begin on the date we indicated we would be available to receive the goods, which is I’m sure is almost always padded by your clients given the threat of an incredible $3,000+/day fine for unsuccessful delivery, seems to again be a method by which your organization seeks to ‘punt’ the obligation of delivery to the furthest possible timeline? Based on this, I would say with confidence that your organization’s success rating for delivery on the actual date your clients indicate availability is less than 10%? This is beside the point and only conjecture but based on my perception would bet on that presumption.

In addition to the cumbersome circumstances of this relocation, my family and I have also been dealing with my mother’s cancer surgery/treatment (which the burden of the inaccuracy of the moving company has not made easy), running and re-engaging my own business remotely, as well as providing stability to two young children in a new place without any of our stuff has been compounded by the unexpected struggle of obtaining our goods. In short we were promised quality service (at an elevated price) but received long delays, extra charges on the backend, much of our stuff missing and broken. This was the worst experience I've ever had with a company.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I moved with IVL last month. My move was a 4 bedroom into a 3. I hired IVL to do a full-packing and loading. The movers were on time and performed as promised. My final destination was Charlotte and the pickup was Texas. It took them about 6 days from the day of pickup to deliver. I was happy with the experience!

Original review: March 8, 2021

Out of all the movers I’ve ever hired, IVL is the easiest and best. My move was simple (Utah to GA), but it is everything I own including pictures and memories. They packed my stuff to perfection and delivered within a week. My sales rep Justin was great! He did not ** me or overpromise. I felt comfortable the whole to me and would use them again.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I was willing to pay more for what I hoped would be a stress-free experience. Arthur, my point person, promised a smooth process. In the end, the movers broke 23 items, with a value of $3000. IVL wanted to refund only $200. The payment was a mess. And it took over 8 weeks to get a final invoice, and 4 weeks for the refund process to begin. I was told that I would have support throughout the process yet Arthur disappeared after the first payment went through. I have moved many times in my adult life. I understand that moving is stressful and that there may be a few items broken. This was just a pure disaster on all levels. It's too bad as the individuals at IVL generally seemed to be nice people. However, nice did not translate into a good or worthwhile experience in this case.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

International Van Lines (IVL) was a huge disappointment. I contracted IVL to ship items of great importance to me from Boston, Massachusetts to Europe. The items included an antique cabinet, a precious lamp, and family heirlooms -- including several vases and framed wedding photographs. The crew that IVL sub-contracted to pick up the items in Boston missed the pick-up, and it took far too long to arrange a new pick-up date. When the crew finally picked up the items in Boston, they just threw everything into boxes, without appropriate wrapping or protection.

Framed photographs arrived with shattered glass because they had not been wrapped, the lamp arrived unwrapped and broken, two vases that were family heirlooms were broken beyond repair, and the antique cabinet's feet had broken off because this valuable piece of furniture had not been properly protected by the movers. (According to our contract with IVL, we paid for "full packing, wrapping and loading by a professional moving team, and packing materials.") Furthermore, after seeing all the damaged items when they were delivered to my home in Europe, I immediately emailed the IVL person responsible for my shipment, requesting a phone conversation to discuss all the damaged items. To my regret, he has refused to speak with me by phone. Although I called his cell phone on the day he said he would be available to speak with me, he did not answer and he did not return my call or email me. Thus, I had a terrible experience with IVL.

International Van Lines Company Information