toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

International Van Lines

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. We're happy that you were satisfied with our services. We wish you the best of luck with your new venture.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

Job well done. We contracted IVL due to their online reputation. We also found a friend that has used and referred them. Our sales rep Justin ** was very informative. He provided us with all the details we needed and scheduled an in-home survey. The movers Serge & Hiram was very polite and went above on the packing services. We rec'd our shipment in about 10 days which worked well for us. I was happy with my choice and would use International Van Lines again.

International Van Lines

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

IVL was my first choice simply because I've used them in the past. Movers showed up on time and did a great job packing & loading. My cost did increase by $200, but that's because we did decide to add a curio cabinet last minute. All in all we're happy with their services.

International Van Lines

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

I liked the cost that International Van Lines quoted so I got them when I had to move from one state to the next. I just told the transport organizer what I needed, what we have, and where we needed to go, and their contractor contacted me later. They did a good job and I enjoyed my experience with them.

Gail,

Thank you so much for spending the time and leaving us a review.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

International Van Lines is so far great. All the people we dealt with prior to them coming to the house were very good. When they came to the house, we were very pleased with how they approached our things and did the job. Hopefully like the company we used once before, they don’t have a leak in the roof and they have to take it to our final home and unpack it, so job is not yet done but so far we're extremely pleased.

Hi Sarah,

Thank you so much for spending the time and leaving us a review.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2015

International Van Lines has good ratings online and my experience was good. Nothing was broken or lost and the moving crew was great. Three guys came out and packed everything and it was easy. So everything was perfect.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

International Van Lines

Original review: June 17, 2015

International Van Lines handled my family's long distance move from Utah to MO. Like other reviewers I hired IVL based on their level of professionalism and simple because they didn't seem to play games like other moving companies we spoke with. IVL provided us with a binding estimate and everything they promised was in fact true. The cost went up by $150, but I was okay with that. All in all they did a great job and get 5 stars from us.

Factual basis uncertain

Writing this review so no one has to experience the nightmare me and my family went through and still going through after 9 months. BEWARE!!! They are not as they appear. Problem started when they showed up 2 days late and it wasn't even an IVL truck. They had too small a truck and not all our stuff fit. They only delivered at 11 pm and took 3 moves before delivering only 75% of our stuff. The other 25% went missing and they never bothered to help us find the rest of our stuff. To make matters worse, we received items that were full of mold, see attached picture. They delivered to us, other people's property and tried to convince us to keep it. They take no responsibility for losing/taking our stuff and they will not answer any of our calls. As far as they are concerned, they got their money and they are done. In the process of suing them. STAY AWAY!!!

I was scheduled to move on October 30. I spoke with George on multiple occasions, making him well aware that I had to have a representative there for me because I would not be there to watch the movers load my stuff. When I last verified with him on October 28 that everything was a "go", he said he needed to talk to the dispatch company to make sure everything was fine and he would call me back but I would still have my pickup date for october 30. I'm still waiting on that call.

I was told the movers would call 2-3 hours before they arrive. My representative called me on Sunday to alert me that he was in the area and would stay in the area until the movers called him. By Sunday evening, no one had called me or him. Also, being the end of the month, I now have to pay another month of storage. Anyway, I called the company Sunday afternoon and evening and no one answered. I emailed George and he still hasn't gotten back to me.

I did speak to Steve - another one of International Van Lines representatives - and he is the one person in this organization that does communicate. He said he would get it taken care of and find out what happened. Of course no explanation ever followed. So I promptly asked for a refund and he sent me a copy of the email he sent to dispatch because I never got an answer, an explanation for them missing my pickup or a call when they could reschedule. International Van Lines dropped the ball. They dropped it far and long. Find another company. Moving already sucks without the extra headache of somebody not keeping you abreast of situations.

Factual basis uncertain

International Van Lines is just a front company. They are part of a corporation that has several moving companies. Be aware of whom you're dealing with and do your research. They come up as one of the best reviewed movers on Consumer Affairs. Don't believe the reviews!! I call B.S. on them. My story as follows:

I was in a desperate situation when I called them. I was moving across the country and had another moving company, Colonial Van Lines, (Which is another horrible company to deal with) leave me with a good portion of my furniture that they couldn't fit on their truck they sent. I had a garage full of leftover items that I needed to get moved when I called them. I called IVL because of their online reviews and my huge dilemma I was now faced with because of the last mover. I explained to them that I was looking for a company that used their own trucks and their own drivers and a contact person who could help me finish this move. The "Salesman" guaranteed me that they only use their driver and trucks and everyone is an employee - First LIE.

He sent an estimator to my house to calculate how much and what kind of items there were left to pack. I was quoted a price and scheduled the move. I was trying to coordinate all this from across the country now as my original move had already happened. I needed a company that could come through for me. WRONG CHOICE! The mover did not show up on the day I was told after coordinating family and neighbors to help facilitate the process.

After calling the office of IVL all day long to find out where my truck was (no answer BTW) I finally received a call late that afternoon telling me that the movers would be there the next day at 3:00pm. I rallied my help once again only to be let down ONCE AGAIN. Some random Penske rental truck showed up at my property at 8:00PM, proceeded to back up a narrow driveway, in the dark, and then drove off the side into the planter destroying the asphalt. My neighbor called me and I spoke to the driver. He was an outside hired, independent mover. No affiliation with IVL at all. They farm out all their jobs, like all the rest of the movers.

Anyways to make a long horrible story short: After he came back the next day at a reasonable time he told me he didn't have enough room on his truck to guarantee all my items would fit, He couldn't guarantee that my items would not be broken in the move, his "dispatcher" wanted to charge me an undisclosed sum to box up my items prior to loading. I finally told him "No thanks. I would make other arrangements." His dispatcher got on the phone and yelled at me and threatened me.

The Salesman at IVL got on the phone and blamed me because we had several outdoor pots and told me that I was going to pay the deposit, no matter what. I disputed the charge with my c.c. company, but lost due to a late cancellation clause, which I was never told about, never saw any paperwork, nor signed anything. If this is the kind of customer service and follow through they provided me BE CAREFUL when looking for your mover!!!

This is a corrupt company that lost or destroyed over a third of my household property. My wife and I contracted with International Van lines for a move from Baltimore, MD to Lafayette, IN. We agreed to a binding estimate for our move and paid the down payment. When the movers arrived, Simon, the foreman, immediately started complaining that there was more stuff than we agreed on. And in fact, there were three more bookshelves than we had mentioned in our estimate. We had forgotten about them in our original planning.

After Simon had everything packed on the truck, he continued to complain about the extra bookcases and to say we owed more money. He called his boss and we agreed on a revised price to include the extra items. While he was rude and overly dramatic, we were just happy to have our stuff on the truck and Simon out of our lives.

After two weeks, we get the call that our stuff was being delivered. To our great surprise, instead of International Van Lines, we were greeted by a representative of different moving company. The foreman said he had picked up our stuff at a warehouse in DC (BR Moving company), and that when he picked up our stuff he noticed that a pipe had burst in the warehouse, completely soaking over a third of our boxes. He took pictures of the warehouse and the burst pipe to prove it.

When we began to unpack the wet boxes, it was clear that the contents were ruined. We had a large collection of antiques that was completely destroyed. IVL made no effort to alert us about the water damage. What's more, they made no effort to check the inventory to make sure they had delivered everything. We refused to sign the inventory on delivery and upon checking each box against the inventory discovered that we were missing 26 boxes plus all of the glass for one of our pieces of furniture. Almost all of the furniture was damaged, either by water or other abuse. Two chairs were completely broken, one of which was missing its entire back. Our cabinet was warped from water damage.

I alerted IVL of this immediately, and they referred us to the moving insurance company. Our policy with the insurance company only covered certain pieces of furniture, not the scores of boxes that were destroyed or missing. The insurance company has been very kind and helpful, but we have still received no compensation from IVL for our damaged and missing items. Steve ** from IVL assured me that the manager, Sean **, was looking our missing boxes but it has been two months and we have heard nothing from Sean. He has not returned my emails or calls.

To add insult to injury, IVL delivered a box of someone's contents (books). The other person's name is clearly listed on the box. When I alerted IVL of this, they did not seem concerned. Despite repeated requests for them to send someone to pick it up or to send a call tag so I could return these to their rightful owner, IVL has ignored my requests. They clearly lack concern for my property and the property of others.

Like most of you I chose this company off of the reviews and hoped to receive that same type of "great service" people talk so much about. Let me just say that this company (IVL) needs to try a lot harder to win any type of praise from me. When the driver showed up he had no identifiable type of uniform nor anything that says he works for a respectable moving company. Honestly he looks like someone gave him some cash and said "go here and pick up." My instructions on how to navigate my driveway were ignored, thus he showed up alone and could not move my items in a timely manner. I had to help him load and unload all of my household goods onto my truck, down my driveway onto his U-haul trailer. I am an injured vet with back problems (bulging discs, pinched nerve) so you can imagine how unhappy I was to have to help in all of this. But forget that.

So my items leave Pasadena, California (25 Apr 2016) and are headed for Virginia. Most of my items arrive around June 10. When the truck pulled up and I looked inside... holy cow!! What a mess!! Items (not just mine) were piled up to the truck ceiling and some had fallen over on my things... broken boxes, broken glass, just a total mess! Obviously the people who packed this particular truck were... in a hurry, not experienced, or too busy to care for the belongings of others. So I (once again) had to use my truck to load the items around to the backside of my house... again... annoying but not a big deal. As the drivers/loaders helped fish out my boxes, I had to remind them once or twice to not throw them into my truck bed! (Yes I had a few broken dishes, but no biggie). So once the unloading was done... I quickly realized that two items were missing... my computer monitor with cables and a large suitcase with my military uniforms.

I had the drivers sign the papers and they said I should contact the company because they have no idea where my items could be. I have been in contact with a few people since then about my missing items and they were very polite at first but then some just ignored my emails and phone calls (I won't say their names). I was told to contact the man in California who was responsible for my move and he could help me out.

Well, today is October 19, 2016 and I still have no idea where my monitor or my uniforms are! They never call me back with any updates. I always have to call and remind them that I'm still waiting. Now I know it's a large business and they are busy. However, how many more months do they need? I feel that I have been very patient with them. I have given up hope on my computer monitor... however my uniforms are extremely important and I can only hope that they were not stolen. I am livid with this company and I have no clue how this will turn out. This is an honest and true review, please consider it when making your decision. P.S. I would have included my receipt but my scanner cables have not arrived yet.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved for a job. I didn't have a lot to move but I didn't want to drive. I checked the reviews and International Van Lines was one of the better reviewed moving options. However, when I called and told them what I have, they gave me a quote and under-estimated by a lot, like the actual square-footage. So it was a little surprising when the movers got there and had to do the adjustments, and there was a significant difference. It's not a problem but it would've been good if they told me ahead of time. Better logistics in the future would be helpful because a lot of people that have never done this are not very familiar with the square-footage, how things work, and how much is needed to calculate them. Also, I was missing one or two boxes. I didn't submit a claim because they give cents on the dollar so it's not even worth my time.

Factual basis uncertain

I wish there was a ‘minus 10’ option to rate this creepy company because I would never ever recommend the service to anyone. I blame myself for the lack of thorough review and for allowing a few reasonable comments to mislead me at the time I ignored bad reviews. I only now realize the overwhelming majority of negative reviews and how true they are. If you read carefully each and every victim experienced nightmares during their moves and relocation with this sub-par company.

Of course, at the beginning, when they try to sell you they treat you like customer but as soon as you pay them upon packing, they literally treat you like **. This company is the champion in the industry for absence of structure, period. They outsource the service to unreliable third parties. Be advise, when you need to speak with someone they IGNORE you, they do not read emails, they do not pick up the calls, so you have to use private numbers, they do NOT CARE. When you get a hold of someone they will blatantly tell you "we were busy with other customers" and forget about receiving a call back after leaving a message.

The packing was a disaster, items that I asked for special care and handling arrived unpacked or broken. ALL my furniture, no exceptions, showed signs of damages. Drawers from chests do not open, do not close properly anymore and the WORST part, missing boxes. Missing items from boxes. They moved our personal belongings carelessly from one truck to another and we estimate that 10 boxes were lost. When we complained, their answer was, “Action your insurance”. No one even tried to find the boxes and forget about a follow up call. I moved my entire house and not every item was properly itemized in the insurance (we are talking more than 200 packages) so chances are that I will not get a single penny back from the insurance.

So after the nightmare of begging these people to expedite the process, the only answers were, “Where is the final payment”. We even received a call from the driver of the trucking company (third party) requesting the payment directly and even threatening that ‘it could take weeks to schedule the delivery’ if the payment was not done immediately. The unprofessional, rude, deceiving and heartless service that this company provides has pushed me to alert consumers not to EVER use their services. Don’t become a victim of this SCAM.

I chose IVL for my move to Brooklyn, NY. Movers did a good job packing and IVL was easy to work with. Our sales representative Justin ** did a good job going over the details. He also sent a colleague to come by and perform an on-site survey. A very good experience and I would use International Van Lines again.

Factual basis uncertain

I gave International Van Lines the job to move me from Miami USA to Mallorca Spain. I was quoted $6252 for a door to door service. That figure has basically doubled. I have been continuously billed for things. I was advised in Writing by Judy ** the international sales agent that the destination THC were going to be APPROXIMATELY 300-450 Euros, this ended up being 1372.51 Euros. I realise approximate doesn't mean exact. However the meaning approximate does mean very close to the actual figure you will pay. However the THC ended up costing more than 3 X that amount. More recently I have been billed for additional transportation from Valencia to Mallorca. The sales person Judy ** failed to realise there was no direct ferry from Miami to Mallorca. Therefore the goods have to be trucked from Valencia to Mallorca. International Van Lines are responsible for this additional fee. I paid for a door to door service.

The agent in Valencia (WillMove) has already told me via the telephone that IVL have completely messed up and it is their responsibility to pay this. However WillMove has invoiced me additional transportation fee's based on IVL instructions, as International Van Lines refuses to pay this bill. I was continuously told lies by IVL. I was told "we are not brokers" when in fact they outsource the job to other moving companies. I was told by Judy ** "We are upfront with all our fees." It is all lies. They even say on their own website "We are not brokers". When in fact they are. I was even billed additional fees because the movers truck in Miami didn't make it into the port on time. I don't even know if these fees are legitimate. IVL are scamming people that are not aware of shipping laws.

I specifically told Judy ** on the telephone when arranging the booking with them that I didn't want any unexpected surprises with additional fee's. She said "oh no there won't be any as we are upfront with all our fee's." Total lies. The fee they quoted has virtually doubled and the move has ended up costing $12000. I was also informed by moving.org that International Van Lines are registered with them as (broker member). On the quote IVL sent to me it said in capitals "We are not a broker company". Clearly they have breached the agreement that they had with me. In addition to this many items of furniture arrived broken and not packed properly. Avoid this company at all costs. You will regret it dearly.

IVL did a great job so I feel they deserve a positive review. I own a business so I know that most people only take the time to post complaints. I wanted to take the time to write something nice. The guys were great. Move went smooth and cost remained the same. I would use these guys again and highly recommend them.

Factual basis uncertain

Great service until they have your money. It was the highest cost quote I received, and I was talked into you get what you pay for speech. That may be true, but it isn't with this company. You pay a fortune, and after you're locked in, good luck getting any answers. International Van Lines passed me off to Safeway Moving Company in Colorado. I could never get a straight answer about delivery. Finally, the delivery shows up. It is one guy, and my furniture is broken!!! I called again and they are finally sending out additional help, but they won't be here for another half hour. 2 hours into my move and I have exactly 2 items into my apartment, and they are both damaged! Serious SCAM!

I used IVL for my move from CA to IN. I chose IVL based on a referral from a friend that had used them 2 years ago. I didn't call any other companies so I am not sure how to compare IVL with other movers. I can say that IVL was very professional and did a great job packing our goods. The movers showed up on time and literally packed everything. My shipment arrived at destination about a week later with no damage minus a couple of dings. All in all the experience was very good and I would recommend them.

I recently used International Van Lines for my move from Los Angeles, to New York. I was very pleased with their services and decided to leave a review. The movers were great! I have them pack furniture only and everything arrived with no damage. I also want to give a big shout out to the crew Mike, Dan and Jacob. They were awesome and bore with me while I was almost having a nervous breakdown. We were very pleased and would use them again.

My company recently relocated me from Chicago to Brooklyn. My company actually chose IVL and I didn't really have much of a say. However, I was very pleased with IVL. Since my company was paying for the move, I had them do a full pack service. The movers literally packed everything from my dishes to clothes. The foreman Dario and his crew were extremely helpful. The guys were easy to deal with, well-dressed and polite. I was happy I had found good movers because I had a terrible experience in the past.

My move was placed into storage for 1 month. IVL provided 1 month free storage which also included the delivery when I was ready. I had received my goods about 8 days after I requested delivery from storage. The delivery crew was different than the pick up crew, but equally as professional. I was very pleased with the quality of their work and I would use them again.

I chose this van line because they had the highest rating on Consumer Affairs. However, they subcontracted with Empire Van Lines and this company had all the characteristics of a poorly rated van line. The furniture arrived thirteen days after the delivery date. The supervisor was rude and left early even though we had thirteen boxes missing. There were gouge marks on our bedroom dresser and my husband's computer table leg was broken.

I had put out a lovely brunch buffet for the workers but the supervisor insisted they leave because they had another delivery, so the workers never got to eat. I suspect our lost boxes may have still been on the truck and went to the next delivery site, but I had no way of knowing. They did not do a walk through at the end. Apparently they expected my 94 year old mother to move her corner curio cabinet herself because they did not put it into the corner. Because we packed our own boxes (and did a good job, nothing broke) the insurance only covered the furniture damage and we were not compensated for the lost boxes. Overall it was a very negative experience.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We had our furnishings moved to two different locations. We moved from Tennessee to California and from Tennessee to Idaho. We also had a vehicle to move. International Van Lines did the moving only while we did the packing. Everything went fine. The sales team was very friendly and they gave me an appropriate quote.

Factual basis uncertain

My experience with International Van Lines was horrendous and extremely stressful. I found the company on Consumer Reports and called in the beginning of June (2016) to hire them to move me from Atlanta to Denver. The move was scheduled for June 30 and I was told by the sales person, Ryan, that they have their own fleet and don't contract their jobs out. Big plus for me. But that wasn't the case.

After the sale with Ryan my move was assigned to an 'account manager,' Kelly, who was supposed to be "handling my move details". It took me multiple emails and phone calls to get Kelly to respond to me any time I needed answers. And she typically would respond to my voice mails or emails with a vague email. I think it was a rare occurrence she ever called me back.

My pick-up on June 30 was scheduled for a 12-4 window. My personal belongings would then be in their storage unit until I found a place in Denver for delivery. The first 30-days of storage was free and each month after that was a set (what I thought at the time) reasonable fee. The movers showed up at 4:30 (30-minutes outside of their window). I know it is 30-minutes but it then took them 5-hours to move my stuff out of a 2 bedroom house. (I didn't even have a couch). This is when I learned that my move was contracted out to a company called David and Goliath. I was told, originally, they don't contract moves.

My stuff went into their (D&G) storage in Georgia. When I called 20-days later inquiring about when my card would be charged for the additional month of storage I was directed to a they told me I couldn't pay with Amex which I had previously asked and they [IVL] confirmed I could. So after tracking Kelly down I got this resolved and they charged me $300 on 8/10 for my August storage (July was free).

Kelly then started becoming harder to get responses from. By this time I had a clear move-in date of 9/2. At this point I am now talking to the owner of David & Goliath, Eli, who is one of the most despicable human beings I've ever come across. He took every chance to condescend me and make me feel as I am to blame for every misunderstanding. At one point, on 9/2 (first date of delivery), he told me that he was going to "sell my stuff on the black market" and asked me "What do you think you are doing? Ordering an Uber or a delivery across country."

I was trying to get clear answers to two very simple questions; 1. Why was my final quote $300 more than the original quoted final payment? It couldn't be for an additional month of storage since he told me the movers left Georgia on 8/29. 2. Are they assembling my furniture? I didn't even get to ask #1 because he went off on me about the assembling the furniture question. You would think I was unreasonable. So I hung up on him and avoided any calls from him, because remember... I HIRED INTERNATIONAL VAN LINES to do my move! Why am I dealing with this horrific person from another company! So much more happened before the delivery finally happened on 9/6.

On 9/6 the movers called around 9 am (I was supposed to have 24-hour notice) to ask if they could unload that afternoon. Because I was anxious to get this whole experience done I rearranged my schedule to accommodate. I arrived at my house at 4 pm and they were outside waiting. The supervisor took a page from Eli's book. He was just as horrible. Condescending, rude, telling me where I should put things (because he didn't feel like moving stuff downstairs to basement). "It would be a lot easier on (us)," he said. He also claimed that the additional $300 was for another month's storage (of which I didn't use!) but I am still waiting on clarity from IVL. All of my wine glasses were broken. An $800 mirror was broken. A media console has a big chunk knocked out of it (to which he replied, "You shouldn't buy this type of wood."

When they were assembling my beds the hardware was all missing. He blamed me saying they didn't disassemble the beds so it isn't his problem. THEY needed to complete the job I paid them for. I went to ACE hardware to buy more screws for the beds and by the time I came back the movers were gone. They left all of my doors open, my furniture in the middle of the living room, beds not assembled, and garbage in the yard.

I wrote Mike at IVL (remember him...he was supposed to be one of my reps from the beginning) an email. To his credit he called me right away and was able to secure a local handyman company to complete the job the next day. But not to Mike's credit, he did tell me he would follow up the next day with me and find a way to compensate me for my experience. It has been two days and I haven't hear a word from Mike. I don't expect to. Silver lining - I have the MOST amazing handyman now in Denver. And if I can save anyone from hiring International Van Lines and David and Goliath movers EVER then hopefully I am helping another person.

I hired this company because of its positive review here on consumer affairs. It was a move from NJ to Illinois. After all the research and speaking with other moving companies, I chose IVL. Turns out, worst decision ever. Most uncaring, most dishonest, and worst customer service company I ever encountered. Bar none. I know moving is a stressful process, but companies like IVL make the moving process 1,000x all the more stressful. I really do not understand why there are good reviews on this company because my friend suffered the same fate with this very poor performing and uncaring company.

I was asked to list down every thing I was going to move; number of boxes, all the furnitures, etc. I am single so I did not have much stuff. I was quoted $3200 which included the $700 fee for moving my car from NJ to IL. But the guys who picked up my stuff (which turned out to be a different company from IVL. They are called Premiere Relocation Co) told me I had to pay $5,070 because apparently, the initial quote was not an accurate estimate. My friend hired IVL also for a move from NJ to Alabama. She was also charged $1,500 more than her initial quote after her stuff was picked up. I know a quote is an estimation, but to be so far off from the estimate is such a deceiving tactic. What if you did not have that extra amount of money to pay off those guys?

After I paid for my initial downpayment, my contact guy Justin just stopped communicating with me. I left voicemails and emails repeatedly for the next two weeks. I was actually begging them to reply and let me know when they would pick up my stuff since they gave me a time frame of 3 days even though I asked for a specific date. Whereas, when they were trying to close the deal, they called day after day. I was not contacted until the day before the pick up.

On the day of the apparent pick up, I stayed at home and did not go to work of course so I could be there. The dispatcher called me at 8PM and told me they could not pick my stuff up because there was a confusion with the customers. I was so infuriated and was on the brink of just finding another company to deal with, but of course, I had no other choice. I was working, I had no more time, and I had already paid my downpayment. I was left with no choice but to accept whatever they say and to find another coverage for me at work.

On the contract, the delivery time frame was 7-21 days. They said usually stuff gets delivered within 10 days, but not a guarantee. After 10 days of waiting and not hearing anything from them, I started calling and emailing and begging to let me know the situation of my delivery. Finally I got an email saying it would be delivered between these certain dates. And of course, come those certain dates, still no words and no calls and no replies from anyone. Finally they showed mercy and told me when to expect my stuff. It was after 23 days that the stuff was delivered. They have no answer why it took that long.

On the day of the delivery, some of my boxes were dilapidated and some of the boxes' bottoms were damp. My book shelf was unrecognizable. 2 of my lamp posts were bent beyond repair. And a big piece of table top mirror which I did not own was included in my stuff. When I told them it is not mine, they said "you can keep it if you want it." I said, "I'm sure the owner of that is looking for it", but they just shrugged the thought. Imagine if it was one of your precious stuff? So, I emailed Justin and telling him what is the insurance policy regarding my broken stuff. I never got an answer. I am not expecting anyway.

So, just warning you if ever you deal with this company. They will not communicate with you once they have gotten their downpayment. And then you are handed off to individual external contractual companies from all over the place, who also do not communicate with you. But you will get your stuff, maybe after 3 weeks, expect damage, expect a lot of frustrations. I just hope you have no valuable stuff because clearly this company does not value their customers.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved 300 miles across one state. I used IVL because of their rating and the initial quote. But the quote they gave me was pretty far off from what I ended up paying. It wasn't a problem though because my company was paying for it. But if I was paying for it 100%, then I might have a little bit of a problem with it. The moving crew was very professional and fast. However they showed up 12 hours late. They said they'd be here by noon and they got here around 11:00 that night.

I understand they were late because they were stretched in terms of them moving somebody else in Chicago, and then they drove from Chicago to me. I just wish I would've known about it beforehand before I took the whole day off work. But otherwise, they were great. Nothing was broken with all my furniture. I've heard horror stories about movers charging an arm and a leg and then breaking all the furniture. That didn't happen at all with them. I didn't find a single scratch on anything so I'm not complaining about having to pay extra because they packed everything, with extra boxes, etc.

I would not recommend International Van Lines under any circumstances. My movers, who I believe IVL contracted the move to, arrived late. They left trash strewn about my apartment as well as bolts and screws from furniture they disassembled. Based on the number of boxes I had, the team leader stated he believed I had over 100 cubic feet (cf) more volume than I estimated. This amounted to several hundred dollars. He offered to give me a break and only was going to charge me for around 70 cf more. I disputed his method pointing out that several of my boxes were small. After seeing how my belongings were packed in the truck, I disputed the volume again.

I phoned IVL several times to seek guidance but no one answered. I was told by the team lead if I signed the revised written estimate, I could work out my issues with IVL later. Based on this and because my lease was expiring in two days, I signed the paperwork. When I finally reached someone at IVL the next week, he and I agreed on the phone that the movers and I could measure my goods upon delivery to ensure the estimated volume was accurate. I confirmed this through e-mail.

The delivery team did not have knowledge of this plan, however, and stated they would not measure anything. I phoned the dispatch manager who told me that if I paid the movers in full I could measure the inventory myself and report any overages. Before paying anything I requested an e-mail confirmation: he stated "We will take care of any extra [volume] that was extra charged to your account." I paid in full and measured my inventory. I calculated that I was overcharged for 51 cubic feet. I requested reimbursement for the overages as well as for the team's failure to reassemble my bed properly and to reassemble my coffee table at all.

After more than a week with several phone calls and email exchanges I was offered $200 for overages, subject to me signing a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and $150 for failure to reassemble my furniture. When I requested an explanation for the $200 reimbursement for overages--which was far less than I requested--I was sent a picture of a spreadsheet with my name and the volume that the actual movers had charged IVL. No other satisfactory explanation was given for why $200 was the appropriate amount. A supervisor also explained that "legally IVL doesn't have to give [me] anything, nor does the other moving company, because [I] signed the revised written estimate."

I offered to accept the $200 subject to a modified-NDA where I waived any right to legal action or any other method of seeking reimbursement but retaining my right to post about my experience online. IVL rejected this offer. A supervisor offered to pay me the difference between what I was requesting and what IVL was offering for the overages. I rejected this offer, refusing to take money from an employee of the company. Only after this employee offered to pay out of pocket did I received a phone call from a more senior leader. At one point he told me that, if he were in my shoes and disputed the volume he would not have signed the revised written estimate unless someone held a gun to his head. Still, he would consider the case and get back to me the next morning.

The next afternoon he offered me the amount I requested for overages but still subject to me signing an NDA. I rejected this offer explaining that IVL employees had not told me about this restriction on the phone or in email when we initially discussed the plan for remedying the overages, if any. In addition to the items listed above, I was shocked with how unresponsive IVL was. By my estimate around 77 of the 96 phone calls I made to IVL went to voicemail from the day before my move until the day I was offered $200 for overages.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved from Chicago to New York for work. I did my research, read the reviews, got a couple of quotes. I decided to go with International Van Lines, and the move was seamless. The bed was a day late, but they were good in managing that. They were quick picking the stuff up. They came within the window and nothing was broken. Everything worked out good.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved around a couple of times due to jobs. Looking up reviews for international moving services online, I went with International Van Lines due to their reviews. The only thing was I didn't know that they contract with smaller companies in whatever city to do the move for them. I thought International Van Lines was going to do all of it. But it’s fine the way they did it and the crew was good. I would continue to use International Van Lines.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had a change in jobs and had a really awful experience moving down from Massachusetts to Florida with another company. So I went on Google and looked at the reviews and chose International Van lines for my move from Miami, Florida to Worcester, Massachusetts. The quote was a little bit off because I had more items than what I had thought I had, but the crew was great. They brought extra boxes and they were able to package larger items. They are super friendly, super helpful and was quick, clean, in and out. They delivered all of my stuff before I actually got to Massachusetts. So they were quicker delivering it than it was for me to drive up. All of them were great. From the guy that took my call originally with the quote and getting it, to the guys that actually did the move. I would absolutely recommend or use them again if I ever need services in the future.

Disastrous experience! Pickup was 7 1/2 hours late (I had to meet 2 men at a deserted storage facility at 8:30 pm and didn't leave there until 11pm. I am a single woman!). I come to find out from one of the movers (a subcontractor - New Life Transport) that they weren't even told about my pickup until 5pm that evening after I had been told early that morning that my pickup would be around 1pm! Once there they attempted to charge me DOUBLE the agreed price. I told them to forget it and to leave, then they came down to 'only' $1000 more than what was agreed upon. The drivers never filled out or gave me an inventory list (which is in violation of Federal Regulation) which their 'boss' (the subcontractor) on the phone promised me he would send me. I continually called to get the paperwork and was given the runaround each time and LIED TO about when my things would be loaded onto the truck from a warehouse in New Jersey.

After a dozen or so calls and a threat of filing a formal complaint to the FMSCA I was told my things would be here first thing Monday am. Didn't happen! Kept getting calls that they were delayed and would be to me in the afternoon. Hah! Got a call at 6:30 that they weren't coming until the next day. It took them 28 days to bring my things! Two chairs, bathroom cabinet, a piece of exercise equipment and a huge plastic bin of valuable handmade costumes all missing!!! They even tried to give me 4 items that weren't mine. You can be sure I will be filing a formal complaint with the FMSCA!

International Van Lines Company Profile