Ship Your Car

Great Service. Transparent Pricing. Clean Car Guarantee.

Get a Free Quote
3.95/5

Compare Movers

International Van Lines

International Van Lines is an A+ rated company and has been ranked as one of America's top 3 moving companies. IVL also maintains a 5 star rating with Yelp.

IVL operates through the entire continental U.S. as well as services any destination worldwide. They offer long-distance, international and local moving services.

View More View More

Ship Your Car

Great Service. Transparent Pricing. Clean Car Guarantee.

Get a Free Quote

365 International Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I hired IVL for a move to Vero Beach, FL. This was a fairly small move, but it was everything I owned. Their movers were on time and packed well. The job got done in about 4 hours with a 3 man crew and they packed everything to perfection. This is the first time working with a moving company, but I am very pleased with the outcome and would use them again if needed.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

After 23 years and a dozen military moves, this was the worst experience we’ve ever had. They were very responsive until they had our household goods on their truck. Their estimate was off by nearly $7000. We were unaware that estimating the cost of moves by cubic feet is a known scam. Only after they had our belongings did we realize that they had not loaded and packed the truck honestly. Also at that time, we realized they had failed to label over half of the boxes. We were told they only label boxes if the customer requests it. The delivery driver apologized profusely and said that was not true. Many pieces of furniture were damaged and we will file claims accordingly.

As of now they have stopped responding or following up as promised. The “customer service” rep that dealt with us was the most unprofessional, rude, obnoxious person I’ve run across in a long while. His sarcastic, snarky replies never aimed to solve a problem or help the customer. His name is Jeremy **. Brian ** was my original contact but we stopped hearing from him once the truck was loaded and the cost went up so high. Run, don’t walk to ANY other moving company.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

IVL is disorganized. I called for an initial quote but then decided to go with another company based on the reviews I had read. I had cancelled with IVL via letter, phone call, and email. Movers showed up and I thought they were from the moving company I decided to go with. When I asked them if they were from Mayfair they shrugged and said yes. The movers loaded their truck and I received a phone call from Mayfair telling me that tomorrow they would be by to pick up my stuff. IVL had just finished packing up my stuff so obviously I was forced to go with IVL. IVL is very frustrated to work with. They damaged 2 of my most expensive items. Their claims department is a joke. They make it so difficult for you to file a claim that I believe it is sham in order to get out of paying for people's damaged goods. I am very frustrated and would never recommend IVLs.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I hired International Van Lines back in August for a move from NY to CA. I did not have a chance to post, but wanted to circle back around to leave some feedback. First and foremost it took me 2 weeks to find a decent moving company. It seems that almost every moving company out there has a bad reputation. IVL was recommended by 3 different consumer websites as being a top ranked mover. I contacted Justin who gave me a good quote and handled all my questions. On the day of the move they sent 4 guys to pack everything for my family. The guys were very professional and did a great job. This was for a 3 bedroom home and took about 7 hours. I received my goods about a week later with no damages, overcharges or issues. They did what they claimed so I am a happy customer and would use them again if needed. Good job guys.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My move from NY to LA went well. I have no complaints about the move other than a slight delay at destination, but it was fine. All my goods arrived in one piece and I did not pay more than quoted. Movers were on time, professional and packed well. My sales rep was Justin ** and he was very good at walking me through the process. I would use them again. Great job guys!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Verbally abusive, lied, damaged, had 59% hidden charges. As a single woman, have moved 17 times both nationally and internationally. Never experienced this type of nightmare. More stuff broken than not, very abusive and degrading "female" comments. Showed up late by a day, and that day 2 hours late, not responsible for any delay costs, but charged me for 2 hours not there as "overtime".

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

IVL did a good job with my move to Upland, CA. I'm no rookie to working with moving companies so I knew what to look for when choosing a company. The first step is to NOT put your info on various websites. You will get a ton of calls from F rated moving companies that are simply looking to scam you. I seeked out IVL because they are a certified promover with AMSA. They were also mentioned on various 3rd party websites for being a good company. My rep Brian did a great job and made sure everything was handled correctly. My move went smoothly. I had no damages, overcharges or issues. I would use them again.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My move was just completed by IVL and I had a good experience as well. The crew of movers were hilarious, professional and worked their tails off to ensure things would arrive intact. It was a pleasant surprise considering the worry and fear that I had coming across a shady moving company. I spent countless hours doing research and settled on IVL, not only because they have glowing reviews, but because my sales rep Justin was straightforward and did try and sell me some nonsense. He even went as far as telling me what can go wrong and how to avoid having issues such as overcharges, damage etc. I was very pleased with these guys and although I won't be moving for a while I will call them again when needed.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have over 14 major moves in my life, some were international moves. My recent move from Nebraska to Virginia using IVL was the worst move I've ever had. Pack was supposed to take 2 days but the packing crew showed up in a Budget rental truck at 2 PM after driving for 9 hours from Chicago. 3 guys to pack us out in 2 days, hmm. They worked the first day from 2 till around 7:30PM when I asked them to wrap it up for the night. They put some stuff on the truck that they had packed and promised to return next morning between 8-9AM. They never showed me an inventory of what they loaded onto the truck that night. THEY DID NOT return the next morning.

Instead, another crew called me around 10AM on the way from Chicago also and said they would be at our house around noon. They said the first crew left last night and drove back to Chicago (with part of our stuff). So, the first crew lied to us and also did not show us an inventory. They also put some things on our truck that we did not intend to ship.

Crew two got to the house around noon and was surprised to see so much stuff remaining to be packed. This was 3-man crew too. We let them work till 9PM and then they had the truck full (another Budget rental truck) and had not finished. They called dispatch and said a semi driver was coming through next morning between 7:30-8:30. They would meet him at their hotel and offload their truck onto his and come back. After repeated calls and text to them I finally heard back from them around noon and said the semi had just gotten there and they would put our stuff on his truck and come back to the house. They got back around 2PM and back to work, ran out of boxes too and had to go get more (too several hours).

Around 6 or 7PM they said the truck would not hold the rest of our stuff so we moved some remaining household things into the garage and the head of the packing crew assured us that he would come back from Chicago and pack the remaining items the next day. This did not happen. In fact it was two more days before anyone came back and we had already departed, leaving access to our home to the realtor who is selling our house. We had extra expenses for additional hotel stays and had to hire a cleaning crew to clean our house after we ran out of time to do it. On top of this, Crew 2 said we owed more money because our cubic feet was over by about 500 CF, so it cost me an extra $1400 just to get them going. This was also after IVL sent a person to our house and did an on-site estimate and came up with the cubic feet.

About a week after we arrived to our new home in Virginia we contacted IVL to ask when our belongings would be delivered, the response was "Are you actually in the house now waiting for delivery?" We said, "Yes, had been here over a week and no one had contacted us for date of delivery." The person checked with her dispatch person and he said he did not know we were ready for delivery either so had not scheduled us. I told them to check their paperwork, our desired delivery date was on THEIR paperwork. Later they replied back to me that it had been an oversight, an OVERSIGHT. They finally delivered our stuff 20 days past our stated delivery date.

We have had damages due to their poorly packed boxes. Many boxes just had our stuff tossed into it with little to no wrapping paper or other protection. My military shadow box was supposed to get a special pack, hmm, it was placed in a large box with other stuff just shoved in around it and it was a miracle that it was not damaged. We are missing several items, maybe more that were brand new, still in the box unopened. One was a vacuum cleaner that cost around $200. IVL said they would give us $.60 a pound for damaged or missing items. We also told them about several items that came to us that were not ours. They will eventually send someone to pick up those items. We have pictures of many of the boxes that show how they packed stuff.

My wife and I are in our 60s and we have pets. There has been a lot of stress on us and our pets due to the incompetence and mismanagement of our move by IVL. For a company that is supposed to be near the top of the best moving companies in the USA, they certainly did not show it with our move. They showed a total lack of respect for our belongings by the way they handled our things and the way they packed us out. Do not use this company to move you. We will be filing a claim with them and also asking for compensation due to mismanagement of our move and the associated stress.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I used International Van Lines for a move from NY to CA back in 2015. I recently had to move again and decided to call these guys for a quote. Lucky for me the sales rep I dealt with back then is still there and was able to work out a reasonable price and get the move set up for me. My move was 3 bedroom to 3 bedroom and required a full pack & load. The guys from IVL showed up on time and worked very hard and quick to ensure everything got done properly. I was so pleased with the pickup crew that I decided to tip them $150 each and buy them lunch which was well deserved. My items arrived at my destination about a week later and offloaded by a different crew who was equally as good. Moving in general sucks, but IVL made it easy for my family and we did not have to deal with any issues. The reason for my 5 star review is simply the fact that they performed exactly to what was sold to me which is a nice change.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

IVL handled my move to Thousand Oaks, CA from PA. Move went fine. I got what I paid for with no major surprises such as damage or overcharges. I've moved before and had a bad experience so I was very pleased with IVL.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I had a great experience with IVL for my move to GA. Movers were on time, very polite and worked very hard to get the job done. I was extremely pleased with their service and would use them again if needed.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I recently moved to Springfield, CO from Austin, TX and contracted with IVL to handle the entire move. My move consisted of a 3 bedroom hours + 2 cars that needed to be shipped. Since my company was paying for the move I decided to have IVL do everything from the packing, loading and crating a few pieces of furniture. The crew from IVL that showed us were excellent. They spent pretty much the whole day working and did a fine job. I made sure to tip the movers very well as well as buy them lunch.

Since we had a full truckload it took about 4 days to get to the destination in Springfield where they did the offloading. The guys there were different than the pickup crew, but did an amazing job. They made sure to clean up all the boxes, assemble furniture and even put away my dishes and clothes. I was very impressed with the outcome of the move that I decided to get them on the vendor list with my company. This is a 5 star moving company and I would most certainly use them again if I had to hire a moving company. I would also like to mention that my sales rep Justin was amazing so if you need a mover, call him directly.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Moving day in FL was fine but delivery to VA was delayed two weeks. Every day we had to call and get an update on their schedule, while living in temporary housing. Some days they did not return our calls. The day our van finally arrived, it was the wrong household. We were getting things from people who lived in the midwest. The moving company had to take it all back and go find our belongings. All of these mishaps are perhaps to be expected in moving. However, the packers were TERRIBLE. Our belongings were in many cases DUMPED into the boxes without protection. For example, my expensive jewelry, which was organized for the move inside a very nice portable wooden jewelry cabinet, still cannot be found. I do not understand why it was removed from its jewelry cabinet. I am so afraid that it was dumped into the moving paper and that tiny items like rings and gold chains were accidentally thrown away with all the moving paper.

I am devastated. There are still a couple of large boxes we haven't unpacked where our belongings were literally dumped in, so I have a small hope that the jewelry can still be found. When we unloaded the china, it was CRUSHED. The movers wrapped each plate with ONE--ONE!!!--layer of packing paper--no bubble wrap---and laid the plates upside down on top of each other randomly, so the plates near the bottom could not withstand the uneven weight of all the dishes on top. I am not a professional packer but even I would know that would not work!!! I am so UPSET. Please BEWARE of this company. Our insurance deductible was so high that we cannot be reimbursed unless our loss totals thousands of dollars. This was our fifth experience with moving companies as we've moved from NC to CA to UT to FL to VA. This is the first time we have had a bad experience. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I hired IVL back in 2014 for a move from NY to TX. I recently moved back to NY and hired IVL again. I actually dealt with the same rep that originally handled my move which was nice (Justin). It's a good sign when someone is with a company for many years. Anyhow, the crew did a fantastic job. They worked really hard to make sure everything was properly packed, loaded and nothing was uncovered. They spent about 8 hours packing up my 3 bedroom house. The foreman (John) was so polite and helpful. This is not the first time I had to work with a moving company. I worked with IVL before and several other companies in the past. IVL was the better of the few. I wanted to spend a couple minutes and leave them a review because they deserve it. I would work with them again and recommend them to anyone looking for a moving company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I to had a good experience with IVL. They deserve 5 stars because the move went flawless. I got what I paid for and I'm a happy camper. Movers on time, professional and everything arrived in Houston intact and with no hidden charges. I would use again.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

IVL performed well! My move was pretty complex considering the size, autos and a large trailer. The moving process was grueling and took 3 full days of labor. IVL sent a massive crew on 10 people to get the job done. The guys that came out worked so hard and I was very impressed. Keep in mind that movers don't make a lot of money so I was happy to leave them all with a $150 tip each as well as bought them lunch and dinner all 3 days. Even though IVL said this was not mandatory I felt compelled considering their hard work. My stuff ended up on 3 trailers and arrived at my San Francisco residence in 4 days. Although the delivery crew was different than the pickup crew they were just as good. I was surprised to see only 1 item get damaged. The fact is the move went flawless. I did not even file a claim for the dresser because it wasn't that important to me. The guys at IVL really went above and beyond and I would 100% use them again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is literally the 11th time I had to work with a moving company and every time it's a stressful experience. I move from NY to LA last summer and contracted International Van Lines to handle the move. The main reason why I chose them is because of their reputation and they also moved a friend of mine and did a fine job. I was happy with everything from the sales rep (Justin) to the movers and delivery crew. I got everything with no damage or overcharges so I'm happy.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I recently relocated to Los Angeles for a new job. My company actually contracted IVL on my behalf. I guess IVL does all the employee revocations. Anyway, I can see why my company chooses to work with IVL as they are very professional and easy to work with. The guys that performed the move did very well the whole way through. They showed up on time and worked their butts off until the job got done. It was a 4 bedroom house and they managed to get everything done in one day which was amazing. I moved from NY and it took about a week for my goods to arrive at destination. The delivery crew was different than the pickup crew, but just as good. This is the 3rd time I had to work with a moving company and by far the better of the 3 moves. My sales rep Brian was amazing and I would recommend them to anyone moving.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

These is the worst moving company. Do not waste your $$. Terrible Service. Damaged my belongings. Worst nightmare. International Van Lines is not a good company. I will never hire them again. I'm so disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I used International Van Lines for a long-distance move to New York. Initially I was very nervous about the process especially considering what you read on the internet. I spent countless hours reading horror stories and vetting companies. I couldn't seem to find a moving company that maintained a decent reputation. I finally found IVL on a few consumer advocate websites which recommended them as one of the top moving companies in the U.S. Even after reading that I still checked into them. They're an actual moving company not a broker. That was the first good sign considering all the moving brokers in the industry. The guys they sent were a delight to work with. They did everything they needed to do and even went above and beyond. I am happy that I found these guys and I would recommend them to anyone that's planning a move.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

This is an amazing company. I'm really happy with the service they provided me. The move was great. 5 guys was more than enough to do all the work. They took great care of my belongings. Great price! Great customer service!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I recently moved from NY to Bloomfield, NJ and hired IVL based on their online reputation. I had a pretty good experience although moving is a stressful time. Movers were funny, polite and an absolute delight to work with. I had zero damages, overcharges or anything weird pop up. All in all I have to say IVL did a fantastic job with my move.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I'm no stranger to moving or hiring moving companies. I've had some decent and terrible experiences and learned a lot along the way. First and foremost reputation is everything. Don't make the mistake that thousands of people make each year which is going with the cheapest price. Moving is not all the same regardless of what you think. IVL was in the middle as far as price goes. I chose them based on their presentation and the ability to handle my specific needs. I moved from NY to LA and my move consisted of a 3 bedroom home. My experience with IVL went well the whole way through. Guys did a great job on pick up and delivery. No damages, surprises and delivery was on time. Do your research, feel comfortable with your rep and don't go with the cheapest price. You can easily identify this by speaking with a pushy sales person. Good luck.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I used IVL for a move to Colorado back in August. I just wanted to leave my review because I never got around to it. The guys did a great job packing, loading and getting everything on the truck. Move took about 5 days and the delivery went well too. This is the first time working with a moving company and I'm happy to say that it went well.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I chose IVL for a move from Houston, TX to San Francisco, CA. My move consisted of a 4 bedroom house, 2 cars and large trailer. This was a large and very complex move which is why I chose IVL. The crew was on time and did a great job getting everything prepped and packed. This was a 3 day move which required a lot of work. After everything was loaded I ended up with 2 full trailer loads worth of goods. This was a direct delivery and took only a few days. The unloading process went very well. I was pleased with the outcome of my move which is why I'm leaving such positive feedback. I would 100% use them.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I had the worst experience with International Van Lines. Hired them to move my things from Billings, Montana to Charlotte, North Carolina. Paid my deposit, made the second payment at pickup and then I went through hell with this company trying to get my things delivered to me. Terrible customer service, no one picks up when you call and no one called me to keep me informed about delivery delays. I was only able to speak to someone once and even he couldn't explain where my things were or when they would be delivered.

The person I spoke with eventually told me they had sub-contracted the job to another company. I ended up sending several emails back and forth trying to figure out where my things were. Had to call the other company several times. For almost 3 months my little girl and I suffered without our things after moving across the country when I was told it would take about 3 weeks.

The emotional trauma and stress this company caused me is something I never hope to experience again. I made a report to the BBB about them and filed a complaint with the DOT. The worst part is that not only did I NOT get an apology when my things were finally delivered but I still had to pay all of the remaining balance after all the stress and trauma caused. I ended up having to buy some things again especially for my little girl just to have some semblance of normalcy till our things came. My daughter would ask every day if our things were coming or if I had heard from IVL about our things. It was terrible. The stress affected me emotionally and my work. Worst moving company. I do not recommend anyone use them.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I hired IVL for a move from Coral Springs, FL to PA and was happy with their service. The movers did a good job packing, loading and delivering. I found IVL on a couple of consumer websites who referred them as being a top ranked mover. I paid a bit more than I would have, but it was well worth it. Moving is not really one of those things you want to price shop.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Unbelievably good service, especially for the price. If you’re lucky enough to get in touch International Van Lines, you’ll 100% be in good hands. Super pro, super friendly, great communication — I’ll keep this app in mind for the future.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I contracted with International Van Lines for a long distance move from Houston, TX to New York. My move consisted of a 4 bedroom house, a grand piano and 2 vehicles. We hired IVL based on referrals and reputation. I had a pretty large move so they sent a 6 man crew who came and packed everything for us. The foreman (Jake) and crew were excellent. They worked their butts off for 2 days and did a fine job. We took delivery about a week later. We went through all of our goods and found no damage or scratched to any of our furniture. This was the 4th time I had to work with a moving company and by far the best of the 4. I am happy to leave this review and if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

International Van Lines expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

International Van Lines began in 2007 and is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They are one of the most recognized international and national relocation companies in the country.

• Reputable: International Van Lines has a great reputation, with over 3,000 global partners around the world.

• Complete services: The company offers customers a variety of services, from packing items, delivering them, unpacking them and helping with international transitions.

• Auto transport: International also offers auto transport for those who need cars to be moved across the country or to foreign locations.

• International: It's one of the best selections for those who are moving internationally because of the level of experience and foreign partnerships available to customers.

• Corporate: They're also experienced with corporate moves.

• Best for: Corporations, individuals and military families.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
    Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

International Van Lines Company Information

Fax:
    954-337-0731
    internationalvanlines.com
    Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.