International Van Lines

3.7/5 (571 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About International Van Lines Reviews

International Van Lines, also known as IVL, operates throughout the entire continental U.S. and services all kinds of destinations worldwide. It offers long-distance, international and local moving services. It also provides free quotes and sets up customers with relocation coordinators who can help plan their moves.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top International Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Great moving experience! Mike and his team were quick and effective and have moved our 1-bedroom apartment in less time than estimated, but still taking great care of all our furn...

Verified

I’m not one to post reviews, but I’m compelled to share that our experience with IVL went well… Our move was for a 4 bedroom house from New York to Seattle. In the midst of all th...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is International Van Lines?

International Van Lines is a licensed moving company that offers a wide variety of services for individuals and families. The company is licensed by the Department of Transportation, the Federal Maritime Commission and the American Moving & Storage Association. It offers its services nationwide and in more than 180 countries.

International Van Lines services

International Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves. Its team provides full-service door-to-door or port-to-port moving solutions. As a licensed freight forwarder, International Van Lines maintains direct contracts with leading ocean carriers in order to provide competitive pricing for international moves. The company also offers freight and air moving solutions.

It pairs customers with relocation coordinators to plan the details of their move. You can schedule an in-person or virtual walk-through to get a more accurate quote and plan.

International Van Lines moving costs

The cost of International Van Lines’ services can range widely from customer to customer — a local move, for example, could cost a quarter of the price of a long-distance one. For easy access to pricing info, you can request a free quote. To hold the date after you get your quote, you’ll have to pay a deposit of about 25% of the total cost of the quote. If you need to cancel, the company refunds 100% of the deposit paid (up to 48 hours before the scheduled pickup).

International Van Lines FAQ

Does International Van Lines offer international moving services?
    Yes. International Van Lines specializes in international moves.
    Is International Van Lines a broker?
    Yes. International Van Lines is both a carrier and a broker for moves. Most customers use it as a carrier, but if a truck breaks down or a customer needs services in places IVL doesn’t cover, it acts as a broker.
    Does International Van Lines have moving insurance?
    Yes. IVL offers insurance for both domestic and international moves. If you opt out, IVL provides limited liability coverage, which covers $0.60 per pound per article.
    Does International Van Lines offer packing services?
    Yes. You can add packing services to your moving package at an additional cost. IVL also sells packing supplies like boxes and tape.

Is International Van Lines a good company?

International Van Lines is a licensed and certified moving carrier with a good history of service and support. It has a vast array of moving options, including freight, air and sea, plus transport to more than 180 countries. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t offer sample pricing online; you have to call the company for a free quote. Its 25% upfront deposit also might not be feasible for some, but it does have a 100% refund policy up to 48 hours before the move.

International Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: April 29, 2022

I highly recommend this moving service! The movers are very professional and pleasant! I was very impressed that the movers wrapped my TV with some soft stuff to avoid the collision. Also, the movers were pretty fast. I live by myself and have a lot of things to move, but they said that was not much for them to move at all. They finished the move within 2 hours. If I had to move by myself, it probably would take me more than a day. Great service!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Josh is the owner, and he is trustworthy, bright and kind. He was straightforward with me from the starting and helped me save money on the move. The move ended up costly, MUCH less than the other company quoted, and the entire staff was full of integrity. John crew is excellent, and he treats them generously (pays them fairly, doesn't demand over time, and brings them lunch!), which makes a difference in the crew's professionalism. I am so happy we went with International Van Line.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

They moved everything with care. I expected they would finish my unit in about 3 hours but actually 2 only. I heard many moving companies will move as slow as they can because customers pay by hours. But they are actually not the ones. They did a great job, and those two movers are very friendly as well. (Sorry, I have a hard time remembering people names.) If you are moving to a small or medium-size home, you should give them a try!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

IVV is a 5 star ripoff. When you look up reviews, more stars almost always pop up first in the list. Go to the 1 star ratings and you will see what this company is doing to people all over the country. I read a couple of recent (July 2021) reviews that mirrored my experience (August 2021) with IVV. Here's What to Expect From IVV -

1) They will bid low (of all the bids you get they will be in the lower range). 2) They tell you that they run their own trucking network, (they might), but your move will be sub-contracted with another mover. That mover will raise the moving contract price anywhere from 50% to 100%, citing material change to the original inventory. This, it turns out, can be anything they dream up. Remember once, they have your deposit and the moving date is at hand, your ability to control the cost of your move is out of your hands if you've contracted with IVV. Do the math, a 6k bid will run upwards of 9k. That was my experience.

3) At this point you're so far into your plans that you can't look for another mover. You're screwed, they know it, and you can't do anything about it. 4) Forget about appealing to IVV, they have your deposit and you're on a train that they drive for the express purpose of milking money from you. 5) You sign the contract bid by "their mover"... but that's not the end of it. 6) You will not know where your possessions are for weeks. IVV will tell you if you badger them that, "your furniture is at a staging area waiting for pickup."

7) Somewhere in your "delivery window " you will get a call from an "independent trucker" about 24 hours before your possessions are to arrive. This person, barely speaking a language intelligible to you, will claim that delivery to your neighborhood is a problem that can only be overcome with "more money." Despite IVV and the sub-contractor having had your delivery address from the day they picked up your belongings, they are only able to discover that your delivery address is "a problem for an 18 wheel rig" within 24hrs of delivering to you. 8) Your possessions will be offloaded only after you pay the driver with cash.

Original review: June 21, 2021

My recent move was from NYC to Miami, FL. They moved our 2/2 into another 2/2 condo. We have very fragile items, like artwork and a piano. IVL and their crew did a great job with crating, packing and making sure all of our possessions arrived with no damages. I’d also like to say that we had zero hidden charges. The experience was good, actually great! I understand why they’re ranked so high and I will be recommending them.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I obtained what I later realized was just an estimate from this company using an exact list of items and sizes. My quote was subcontracted to A to Z moving from Nevada. On moving day they wanted $2000 more than the written original quote for the same items I had carefully detailed to International Van Lines. I had to downsize the items on moving day. On arrival, multiple items were severely damaged including a small antique desk and dresser which the movers were supposed to make safe for the move. It appears the items were dropped and are unrepairable.

Original review: April 22, 2022

My experience with International Van Lines has been nothing short of terrible. I leave this review a month after my belongings were picked up, only to find that they are still sitting in a warehouse at the origin. IVL is a broker who pawned me off to a third party, without disclosing that information to me. In fact I only learned who my actual movers were when they called asking for a cash payment at pickup less than 24 hours before they came to collect my belongings. Since then, I have called IVL on a weekly basis, only to be told each time that they are “working on a schedule,” and to call back. My most recent call was the most infuriating as the rep was unapologetic and unhelpful. I am starting to wonder if I will ever receive my belongings. The reviews for IVL are highly inflated. For the sake of your sanity, and if you ever want to see your belongings again, please go to a different moving company.

Original review: April 20, 2022

I received a quote from International Van Lines for a move from AZ to VA. Included in the quote was moving my golf cart. On moving day, a company they subcontracted to showed up and stated they would have to charge another $2000 for the golf cart. Then when we received our furniture, there were multiple broken items that had obviously been dropped. Would never use this company again.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Worst moving experience! We asked for a packing service besides moving the items, when we called the company and listed all the details of our items the estimate was that our stuff is less than their minimum so they said they will charge us the minimum amount which was $4200. We didn't have ANY furniture. We just had a couple of wardrobes, kitchen stuff, and a Bowflex Max Trainer (expensive workout equipment), one full-size bed.

On the day of packing the movers charged us $800 more and they didn't take the bed because they said it'll cost $200 more to take that!!! After 21 days our stuff arrived and we realized two of my handbags are missing (a Kate Spade and a Michael Kors). The workout equipment charger is smashed!! One of my shoes has only one pair now! So basically the movers just charged us 5k to lose and destroy our stuff!

Original review: March 25, 2022

I cannot underscore how shady this company is. My delivery was late, I have thousands of dollars in damaged property and too many things 'missing' to mention. I strongly recommend never using this company. It is shocking how terrible this experience was.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

International Van Lines Company Information