2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

IVL operates through the entire continental U.S. as well as services any destination worldwide. They offer long-distance, international and local moving services.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

International Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Moving, in general, can be very stressful. However, finding the right company to move you is even more mind-boggling. Since I was a first-timer, I didn't realize how many complaints movers get, even the largest companies. After about a week of research, I stumbled upon International Van Lines. I found them listed number one on several consumer websites who claim they're the best. With that said, I gave them a shot. My experience from the initial call to delivery was smooth. My sales rep Maggie was very kind and attentive to my needs. She was also genuine, which I liked. My move was for a three-bedroom house which required packing. They sent a team of 5 who did a great job packing everything up promptly. The crew was very professional and made sure the preparation was done right. The delivery to my new home took 2 days, and I had zero damage. I hope I don't have to move anytime soon, but if I do, I will work with IVL again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Moving, in general, is very stressful, but it was extremely challenging finding a company that I trusted. I moved several years ago and had a traumatizing experience, which caused me to research movers for weeks. It appears that having a good reputation in the moving industry is next to impossible, and IVL was the best I found. Several reviews were excellent, so I gave them a shot. My sales rep, Justin, was very detailed about the process. Also, unlike the other movers, he was not pushy, which I liked.

My entire move consisted of a four-bedroom house and a car. Everything was packed well and handled with care. They sent a team of 5 men who were polite, funny, professional, and very hard working. The movers worked quickly and made sure everything was packed and protected correctly. My experience with International Van Lines went above what I expected, so they get a 5 star review!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Move locations: New York to Chicago. Move Size: 4 bedroom house with a grand piano — my employer-contracted IVL to handle my move. IVL is rated number one on their list, and I agreed that they would be a good choice. My move size required 5 men and full packing. It took the crew about 8 hours to get everything done, and they did it well. The foreman (Mike) did a great job managing the team and making sure all my items were handled with care. I needed a full truckload which made the process of delivery a bit easier. It took a couple of days to get to my new home. The delivery crew was different but just as good. I had no issues throughout the move. The guys did an excellent job off-loading and setting up my furniture. I would use them again, and I will be rating them very high with my company.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I spent countless hours researching movers. I've never worked with a moving company, but I've had some friends that were ripped off by moving companies. A Google search helps but doesn't reveal the whole story about a company. I went to Consumer Report and the DOT website for my information. IVL came highly rated, so I felt comfortable working with them. The fact is their price was not the cheapest, but I was not looking for cheap, I wanted quality. My rep, Justin **., was great! He was not a pushy salesman like the others and did an excellent job of explaining everything to me with a sincere approach, and I did not feel pressured. The crew then sent was on time, and Mike **. the foreman was great at organizing everything. I left them 5 stars on their performance sheet and wanted to take some time to leave a review. All of my goods arrived with no damage and no issues so I was very pleased and would use them again if needed.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

International Van Lines was contracted by my employer to move my personal possessions from Atlanta, GA to Monroe, LA. I received everything yesterday and want to take the time and leave some feedback about my experience. Quoting process: my sales rep Justin, was great! He thoroughly went over an inventory list with me, answered all my questions, and was always quick to pick up my calls. The conversation lasted 20 min, and he emailed me a binding estimate. Pick up day: The crew showed up on time as planned. They appeared and were very kind to my family. They did an excellent job packing and prepping my goods.

Delivery: The move took 2 days. I got everything that was picked up and had no damage. The foreman on both ends was great! They did not charge me more or cause any problems. The process was more natural then I had imagined. I was thrilled with the outcome of experience with IVL and would totally work with them again. I also left then a 5-star report with my company.

Original review: July 26, 2020

My family recently moved from CO to AZ and hired IVL. Although they were a few hundred more than a couple others I felt most comfortable with my account manager. They sent a great crew to pack and load and got it done timely. The foreman Steve was a delight and went above the standard. I got everything in 5 days and without a hitch. Yes, I’d use again!

Original review: July 25, 2020

I’m not much of a reviewer, but I felt the need to leave some feedback due to the exceptional experience I had. First, I’d like to thank Mike ** and Justin ** for providing a great customer service experience. IVL saved me from going with a scam company that was abnormally cheap. Like most people I was shopping around and was surprised at the vast differences in price. IVL appeared more on paper, but the reality is they have me an honest estimate. As expected the movers showed up on the requested date and did their thing. They managed to safely move my 1000lbs safer and grand piano. Everything was delivered as planned and without damage or any scary surprises. I’m happy I did research and didn’t fall victim to one of these so called movers (brokers). Happy customer!

Original review: July 24, 2020

Let us start by saying that we have moved many times in our lives, both domestically and internationally, and this was by far the worst experience ever. To begin with, the communications between IVL, the local mover they contracted with, and ourselves has been abysmal. Agents who don't return phone calls and emails for days. No dedicated point of contact. All kinds of miscommunication. Then there is New York City Movers (**), the company that IVL contracted with for this move. These guys are as sleazy as it gets. Trying to slap additional charges on at the last minute, and on the other end of the move. Arguing with their own partner (IVL) over nickel and dime issues. Completely out-of-step with the customer, and our needs. Even arguing with their own movers here on-site.

How does IVL manage to stay in business? Why would they pick suck an awful partner. Oh, did I mention that they couldn't give us an arrival date for our furniture until the day before, and the window they gave was between 10 and 21 days? Who does that? To close, we had a wonderful experience with United Van Lines on our previous move. Totally professional at every step of the way.

Original review: July 17, 2020

As a military brat I’m no stranger to dealing with movers. I’ve used all the top-rated companies from United to Allied. This was my first time hiring IVL and the reason we did was because of their reviews and my rep Mike J. Unlike the others we got one month of storage free, packing was reasonable and they paid attention to the details that I know are important. We had a pleasant experience with office staff and their crews. I wanted to take the time because it’s well deserved.

Original review: July 16, 2020

INTERNATIONAL VAN LINES Was the worst experience ever in my life!!! Not only did they arrive in a broken down BUDGET RENTAL truck to pick up our stuff.. They had a mechanic show up and work on it for hours before they finished loading the truck..Arrived at 11 am, left at 9:30 PM! They showed up with 3 guys, they started fighting and 1 left so then there were 2. I WAS told by Laurie at IVL in the beginning:

#1. A truck with the words IVL on them would be doing the pick up..(that did not happen).

#2. All furniture is taken apart and put back together at delivery (did not happen).

#3. I can communicate with IVL and driver to know at all times where my things are, this did not happen.. I was told the day our move left to my destination I would get a call from Sean the manager with the name and phone # of the driver.. Did not happen, was yelled at by Sean the manager over the phone. He said “I AM NOT GIVING YOU THE NAME OF THE DRIVER. I REFUSE.” He was so unprofessional. It was appalling!

#4. I was told by Daisja (top person in charge, so she said) my move was going to travel to me by ALL ROADS EXPRESS not IVL and to have the cashier's check made out to them (FOR $4200.00 MORE THAN THE QUOTE)..

#5. I get a call from this guy named Sean and he tells me PRESTO is driving my move. At this point I had to go get another Cashier's check to PRESTO! We hired IVL, they handed my move off to 3 different companies and took my things off the truck 3 times and re-loaded it on to 3 different trucks before it left to my destination..

#6. My move was picked up on 6/16 and sat in IVL'S warehouse until 6/23 when it left and finally arrived on 6/27..

#7. I get a phone call from the driver the day before the delivery on 6/26 (after texting Ms. Daisja letting her know I have had no contact from the driver).. When the PRESTO driver called me he was more than rude. Also yelling at me, I ask where he was and he said “none of your business. It does not matter, I will be there tomorrow”! APPALLING!

#8 The driver arrives on 6/27 then 6 other random guys pull up that do not work for IVL or PRESTO and proceed to grab stuff from the truck, running, throwing it any place!! BTW NONE of the workers were social distancing or wearing masks / gloves etc..

#9. I watched while they dropped a flat screen TV off the truck on to the street.. The driver said “DO NOT WORRY. IT'S NOT YOURS.” IT GOES TO MY NEXT STOP, unreal..

#10. They had 3 DIFFERENT loads on this truck. Things were all mixed up,, I am sure our things were delivered to the incorrect stop,, or stolen by a worker or possibly left at the warehouse when they moved my load to 3 different trucks..

I was told IVL was NOT A broker when I called to schedule the move. I was told by FMCSA you absolutely ARE, they tell me you do NOT do your own moving.. I was quoted $7368.01.. I ended up paying $10,086.50.. Hmmmm? I feel like I was completely taken for in this process.. I have had to see my doctor for the stress level involved in this process.. We are missing a $400.00 Dewalt table saw. Another box we marked PS-4 gaming system & router, lots of tools.. We have a new king mattress that arrived fully damaged as they piled everything on top of it in the process..

Attached to the contract was a claim form.. We filled it out, sent it in and they would not answer our phone-calls.. Ms. Daisja hung up on me and said she would not process the claim as I can not prove what was in the boxes.. Well the 2x2 $400.00 table saw was NOT in a box and went missing along with a box marked PS-4 gaming system & ROUTER and a box of expensive tools, hmmmm?? Our baby crib worth $525.00 was completely damaged along with a BUNCH of other things.. They are refusing to locate the missing LARGE items and refusing to do anything.. We are moving forward in reporting them to every entity on file, including filing a police report.. So NO NO NO. PLEASE DO NOT TRUST YOUR MOVE WITH "INTERNATIONAL VAN LINES". Your things will go missing, get damaged and IVL will say, "Too bad, so sad.."

International Van Lines author review by Tom Rains

This company specializes in international moves. It also offers long-distance moves, corporate relocations and military moves. Auto shipping is available to those who need to move a car.

• Types of moves: The company offers local, long distance and international moves. It serves residential or commercial clients. International moves can be door-to-door, door-to-port, port-to-door or port-to-port.

• Cost: The estimated cost to move from Chicago to Germany is $4,200 for a 40-foot shipping container (2,000 cubic feet). Costs vary based on several factors, however.

• Service areas: International Van Lines can move you anywhere in the U.S. and to many international locations.

• Additional services: If you need your car hauled, auto shipping services are available. International Van Lines can also provide full packing services.

by Tom Rains ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Tom Rains graduated from the University of Oklahoma in 2014 with a master’s degree in Professional Writing. Tom’s passion for delivering quality content fuels him to provide consumers with accurate, well-researched information on major life purchases.

International Van Lines Company Information