4.19/5
Based on 242 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

International Van Lines

International Van Lines is an A+ rated company and has been ranked as one of America's top 3 moving companies. IVL also maintains a 5 star rating with Yelp.

IVL operates through the entire continental U.S. as well as services any destination worldwide. They offer long-distance, international and local moving services.

International Van Lines Video
    International Van Lines Gallery (6)
    FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
    Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

276 International Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We decided to use International Van Lines for our move in part because of the recommendation provided by this website. Our experience has been rather disappointing. First the good points: They moved our goods from point A to point B with only a week delay with respect to the best case scenario. Very little was damaged and nothing was lost. The staff was accessible and responded to complaints and questions in a reasonable time frame. Next the bad: They are very expensive. UPakWeShip provided an estimate for similar door-to-door service that was almost $2000 less ($3700 instead of $5600). We went with IVL/OSI because of their reputation and the mistaken idea that $5600 would be an all inclusive price. If anything goes wrong that results in an increase in the price, you the shipper will be held responsible.

The trucker they hired to bring our shipping container to the door showed up 8 hours late because of mechanical problems. (The driver told us that the trucking company was trying to save costs by using cheap diesel fuel that would not work in cold northeast winters.) As a result, my costs went up by $300 because the crew of four guys that I had hired to help load the container had to wait idly for several hours. (The truck was always "almost there" and would show up in "fifteen minutes".) Because of the delay, the container with its chassis was away from the seaport for a couple of days, and IVL/OSI would like me to pay an extra $100 per day chassis rental fee. (So far I have refused.) Tolls are not typically included. They may be as much as $100

Scale fees for the truck are not included ($150 in my case). iv) If the delivery of the goods at point B is more difficult in any way, there may be an additional $500 charge. For example, the delivery service may charge if they have to carry goods more than 20 meters, or if they need to shuttle the goods from the container to your house using a smaller truck, or if your house has more than two stories. In conclusion, if you have been reading carefully, you will have noticed that the final bill could be as much as $1000 more than the initial estimate.

The information about which ship the container would be on and when the container needed to be at the port was constantly changing. Apparently, the initial container ship was overbooked, which caused the week delay in the shipment of our goods. IVL/OSI is not particularly nice to its employees. When we pointed out that toll fees were in our contract, they claimed it was an error by one of their employees. They docked his pay by $72 to give us our money back.

They respond to complaints about billing with threats. Here is part of their response to my complaint on the Better Business Bureau website, "[T]he sea container has or is due to arrive very shortly, if the invoice is not paid quickly, the port will place a hold on the sea container, and not release the container to the agent in the UK, and the steamship will begin to accrue daily charges to the shippers account, called "Demurrage", and the port will accrue "Port Storage" fees up until the day the sea container is removed from the port.

Depending on the steamship line, these charges can go as high as $150 per day, since their equipment (container) is being held stagnant, while they need their equipment back quickly to place back in circulation, as since this is the way they generate their revenue. In closing, we wouldn't want the shipper to be injured like this, so the shipper must check his email quickly to view and pay the revised invoice with the toll fees removed." It may well be that other international moving companies are simply worse than this one, but my personal experience with this one has not been inspiring.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Called for a quote in Spring of 2017. Ryan looked online at my house pictures and gave an estimate for around 6000.00. No one ever came to the house to estimate. He stated I could have a price for a December move as someone had cancelled. I was planning a move in July. All seemed good. Communication was less than desirable and I was given over to Karen. Moving day came. They arrived at 1-2 pm to pack and load the entire house. They were from Estes. They advised me that they expected a cash tip for their services. They finished at 2 am. Then left and stated it was going to be more money. They loaded everything in a rented Uhaul type truck.

My stuff was to be stored for 2 weeks until closing. I notified them of the date and they now said I owed 8000.00 more. Held my stuff hostage until I paid and there was significant damage and loss. I contacted a lawyer and AMFA. They said it would cost more to fight this than they would give in compensation. Totally shameful experience and rogue manipulation.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Please help me with my recent moving issues. Allow me explain quickly: My husband and I contacted International Van Lines in March for Storage and Moving services. We were living in Winter Park, Florida, a little Northeast of Orlando, Florida. I spoke with Ryan and he did the quote on the phone. I specifically asked and was assured that IVL storage was air conditioned, not just climate controlled. This is one of the reasons that I selected IVL, the other is that the reviews on Google were so positive. (I was under the impression that Google reviews are verified.) Logically, if I had know that IVL was not air conditioned, I would have looked for a cooler, less humid environment and gone to the north, not the south.

In April, IVL came to our house with three men (Serge was the driver) and picked up about 90 boxes that I packed and put them in storage. They had an IVL truck and Serge wore an IVL shirt. This is the last time I saw IVL logos on any trucks or uniforms. Our home in Winter Park closed on June 19, 2017 and on June 16, 2017 IVL came to pick up our remaining furniture and put them in storage until our home in South Carolina was ready for us. The truck was not an IVL truck, but a rented truck and four men came including the driver—Serge.

We were expecting them at 9-10 am—Sean the dispatcher said they would leave early and be at our house in this timeframe. The non-IVL truck showed up at about 2:00 pm. The person assigned to pack everything breakable (this was in the agreement) had never packed before (I distinctly heard him ask another of the men how to do the packing). When I unpacked the fine crystal wine goblets, two of them were next to each other wrapped in one sheet of wrapping paper (whereas this person used so much wrapping paper on things not likely to break)!

There were just four items I wanted crated because they were so fragile: Two antique mirrors, another unique mirror made from plaster of Paris, and a marble top for the dresser in our master bedroom. To me crating was using wood on the outside and very carefully wrapped in good materials to absorb shocks and jars from the moving process. These items were put into cardboard only—when I asked Serge why he didn’t used wood he said this was how they CRATE! When Serge finished “crating” the antique mirror we received as a wedding present, I picked a piece of it off the floor and put it away to be repaired after the move-in.

Later in the move-out, it started to rain and these men in no way tried to protect my flooring and as a result the carpeting was a mess and they scuffed the wood floor and marked the walls. The truck used to move a 4-bedroom house was not large enough to hold all our things—we had to give away the following items: a Metal Lathe, a jewelry armoire, a floor lamp. My husband was really upset about losing the metal lathe. They rushed the move because they were all calling their family and friends and insisted they had to get back by a certain time.

We asked for the move-in to be done on December 19, but the house wasn’t ready and so we cancelled it and rescheduled for December 28th. I was informed by Sean that when I cancelled that it was no big deal because my things were already in South Carolina. He was annoyed I rescheduled and that his timeframe is more important than mine. I can understand this, but I’m the customer and their customer service is really poor—I know, because I did Customer Service for years and never treated a customer as I was treated by IVL. When I contacted Jeremy ** from IVL, every discussion always ended up by him lecturing me and making me feel as though I was a completely unreasonable person.

I received a call from Sean on Dec 26 to tell me about the delivery plans for the move-in on December 28th and to inform me that MS Relocation would be doing the actual delivery. I missed a call from MS Relocation on December 27th because I was in a plane on the way back from New York. I returned the call about an hour later and was told by Danny (**) that the delivery would be the following day around 12-2pm. On December 28th at 10:40 am I called Danny to find out how the delivery was looking and he told me they were 10 minutes away. Mike (**) the driver and the person in charge from MS Relocation was called at 3:19 pm and told me he would be there in about an hour and was just crossing the South Carolina state line.

I called Danny and told him that I thought it would be too late to do the delivery and that it would be dark soon and he assured me that there were 4 men and it would be much faster than normal. 2 men showed up in two trucks at 4:30 pm! I was assured by Sean that there would be a kit to protect my new floors and walls and nothing was provided by IVL—my husband put cardboard on the floors and instructed them how to bring the items in to do the least damage to the house and items.

By 9:00 pm we were so upset with the entire ordeal, that we wanted them to just finish and leave us alone. They finished at 1:30 am the next morning after telling us when we asked them to put the beds and piano together, that they don’t do that and that it is the job of the homeowner to remove the cardboard and tape left over from the move. No boxes were unpacked, just the furniture was unwrapped. We are not neophytes at moving and have moved before and never have been treated so rudely and lied to so much. I need a bed to sleep in and my grand piano put together as soon as possible.

At this writing, no one from IVL has called me. I called Jeremy ** and was told to call a handyman to put the piano together and that he would discount it to me. What discount is he talking about—we paid everything in full and at no time did we ever give them a minute's worry about the monies owed to them. WE PAID PROMPTLY FOR EVERYTHING! As an aside, Dana from their accounting department would send me emails for the first few months our items were in storage asking for the storage fee due. I told her it was sent and she wrote me back saying that she found the payment and it was at the company before she knew it—they are not very organized if this is the case.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Subcontractors, "Honest and True Movers", showed up at my apt. in Sacramento, CA on 8/26/17. I was immediately told that the "binding" quote from International Van Lines was not sufficient. Honest & True illegally upcharged me almost double what had been originally quoted and insisted that, if I wanted my things moved, I would have to go to the bank and get a new cashier's check. Since everything was packed and my lease was up, I did it. I had asked that delivery not occur until after 9/1/17 and was told that I could expect delivery in North Carolina 5-7 days after that. My actual delivery date was 10/12/17!! I called weekly to find out where my belongings were and was consistently told it would be in 5-7 days! Honest & True even made up places where they last tracked the load.

Turns out my things didn't even leave CA until some time after 10/1/17. Now, after several request letters and unreturned phone calls, I still have not received the promised compensation for the delay. Unless I go to Florida to file a small claims suit, I am left without recourse. DO NOT USE INTERNATIONAL VAN LINES OR HONEST AND TRUE MOVERS. THEY WILL UPCHARGE YOU, LIE TO YOU AND NOT HONOR THEIR OWN CONTRACT. Horrible experience!!! I have given up any hope of obtaining any satisfaction or money from these people, so I am writing this review in the hope that others will learn from my experience and thus avoid the stress and frustration I was subjected to.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

My experience was unfavorable. This company is just a booking agent. They tell you that their company does the whole move, which is a lie. They do not follow through, nor communicate to you that they do not take care of your move.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

My husband retired and we moved back to our home state. The guys from International Van Lines were very personable and fast and they packed our things very well. Plus, the truck was really clean. But there were some things that were messed up, like the scheduling of the company because they put so much to do within a short period of time that they had to pack everything. The workers left with our stuff, then they had to go to two more on that same deadline before they could get ours at our new place. If they had more time, there wouldn't have been a problem. The workers were great but the company needs to improve their time management. They're shorting the workers. Otherwise, we were really pleased.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

My father had passed away and since both my parents are gone we needed to move furniture from one state to another. I found International Van Lines while doing a web search and their customer service representatives were good. There were some phone calls with them but it was primarily an online exchange. Everything was done mostly through a smaller local company in Nashville which is where some of the materials ended up. It revolved down to whoever company they used for such system to run on their end. So I worked with that company directly when I got down to that point, through the times, dates, and quantities. And I was very, very happy with that. The way it worked out was perfect and I am glad that I was able to find a company of their nature and caliber. I would use International Van Lines again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

A family member used International Van Lines and they recommended them to us. We moved out-of-state from New York to Tennessee and my wife said that the New York crew was really nice. She said that they did everything on time and they packed everything and nothing was broken. But the driver on the way down was a bit rude. He would not listen to my wife but he would listen to me. If I called, he would talk to me but if she called, he wouldn't. She also said that the truck was a little bit late than we expected. It was within the window that they gave us but we expected a lot sooner. They also didn't give us any updates on when it was going to arrive. We were in the dark about how long it's going to take. International Van Lines had a fairly good price but there was a lack of information and communication. Other than that, I would use them again.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I moved from Kentucky to Florida as I was in the process of buying a house. International Van Lines had a good rating online and they quoted a good price better than United Van Lines so I went with them. However, I have a real mixed feeling about International Van Lines. They did well when they packed up and moved my things. Since the house was to wait, I have to keep my things in store so they still have my things in storage and they’re moving it the end of November. The crew that handled the move was excellent.

The thing that was aggravating is that my friend was in Gainsville and that’s where I’m staying right now. International Van Lines was supposed to do a pick up with my truck since he doesn’t have that much stuff to take and then we were going to have the combined move. For some reason, they took my stuff all the way down. I was moving to Venice, Florida and they took it down there. The whole price changed for his move since they have to come all the way up to Gainsville and then back down again. It was a bit of a price difference and I was not happy about that. Ryan, the gentleman who set this whole thing up, has not called me back. Right now, I have Karen who's been trying to be very helpful but it’s been hard since she wasn’t the one that originally told us about the pickup in Gainsville. I’ve tried several times calling Ryan and he doesn’t recall phone calls. So, I’m very unpleased with him and things have not gone smoothly.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

I was moving from New York to Iowa. I like International Van Lines' price and their availability to talk. They were less expensive and even free to chat. They were also available on our schedule and we had a few specific dates we wanted to work with. The moving people were very nice and very efficient.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

We moved roughly 700 miles from Iowa to Kentucky. My husband is originally from this part of the country so we were moving back to his family area. I was in a rush because I had been ripped off by another mover and International Van Lines was able to accommodate me quickly. The crew that handled our move was primarily non-English speaking with the exception of a couple so I had not a great deal of interaction with them other than them packing up and moving things back to the truck. They made a huge dent in my hardwood floors by moving something away that shouldn’t have been moved, but otherwise, things came over fairly well.

Also, I had told them that the house would not be accessible via semi so they were supposed to use a back truck. Still, they used a semi and then they couldn’t use it to get here because we're in a fairly remote mountainous area. They had to unload stuff from the semi and load it on to another truck and we ended up having to drive the truck driver to a place to pick up a rental truck. It was an interesting experience.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

International Van Lines had good reviews and they also had a decent price. I needed them for a work-related move from Indiana to California. And I had 7 suitcases, 10 carton boxes, a TV monitor and a portable TV moved. They were on time and the move was handled promptly. I was informed when they were going to be here to pick up the furniture and the carton boxes and when they were going to deliver it. They made me aware of everything in advance. And it was a good experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I moved and International Van Lines was the one that transported my car. Whenever I talked to the reps, they were always very defensive. They wanted to speak before I could speak, an attitude which was not good. My experience with the driver from the subcontractor that picked up my car was a really bad experience. International Van Lines promised to resolve the issue by giving me credit for $150, but it never happened. It was promised that the car will be picked up a certain time so we had to make arrangements to be there. Then the guy that was picking it up said that he would be a little late. We said it was all right and we'd just do our errands and asked him to let us know before he comes. We went back home but he didn’t come, and he said there were another company and a more important pick-up or whatever he had to do. That was just the first part of it.

The second part was, on his way to the house, he was asking me which way to take, which was our building. They’re the experts and they know how big their truck is. I never had this experience when the car was shipped from New York to my house in Albuquerque but I had problems with this guy. He wanted me to meet him about a mile away and bring the car over there. The third thing was when I was talking to International, they said I could put stuff in my car as long as they were not heavy so I put some Christmas stuff and boxes there. We were on a tight schedule that day as we had to drive out of Albuquerque and he made it worse because by the time we came, he was late and we were rushing. On top of that, he told me to take the boxes out and shove them back in my garage to get them going.

By this time, I was really fed up with the whole experience. So, three strikes and they were out. My advice to International Van Lines is to listen to their customers and to whatever complaints they have because normally, the customer is always right. It was not the first them that I used a car relocation company so I have somebody to compare the experience with.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I used International Van Lines for my move from Bloomington to Wisconsin, and my experience went really well. I graduated and I got a new job and needed to move. I was doing some online research, and there was a website where I had to fill in some details and I would get a call from various companies. I got a call from International Van Lines and as I was looking at the reviews, they were good and I've seen that the number of negative comments was less. I got in touch with their representative and we went through my list and the estimation was done. And the process was smooth but I felt that the estimation was high. Otherwise, it was accurate and there was no change in the estimation.

The movers came on time, and there wasn’t any delay. They packed up everything fast and it was done in less than an hour. Also, the seven days duration that was promised was followed very well. But when they arrived at the destination, some of my stuff was missing, and I talked to their customer service team and they said that they'd be following up with the driver and find out where the actual luggage is. I was also following up with the driver, and he sent me the tracking details. I was a little bit worried initially about them because I had some of my important documents and things, but I got them so I was happy.

The estimation can be improved because it’s done on the phone and then once the crew arrives, they don’t do it again. The cost was based on the number of boxes and stuff and wasn’t based on the weight. I didn’t know the size of the boxes that I had if they were falling under medium or small. There were boxes that were in between small and medium but still I had told them I needed large ones where their estimation was based. It might have been the reason for the high estimate, too, and if it’s true, they may revise it and not increase it. And if they decrease it, then it makes me happy. Other than that, I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I like the International Van Lines' reviews online. The reps I spoke with were very nice. IVL was easy to deal with but it took a long time to move in to our new house. Other than that, their service has been smooth.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I went online and looked at different places. I was looking to move from Colorado to California and I got a couple of different bids and International Van Lines gave the best bid and also had the availability to pick it up when I needed it picked up. The timing was right and the price was good. The move is not complete yet because I have the other half to pick up in the house in Bayfield. Everything they did was fine. However, there was a little mix-up and I had asked in the bid to have them pack my antique China. They arrived and said, “Nope, we are not supposed to pack anything.” I had to buy a couple of packs from them and the paper and packed them myself. We got a little irritated but it all worked out by the end.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I was doing a job-related move and using International Van Lines was cost effective. The crew that handled my move was excellent and they were friendly. My experience with IVL was smooth and everything was good.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I was moving a few states away and I was searching online for a moving company. I found International Van Lines and I decided to hire them after talking to their reps. I also liked their price. It was a good experience.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My husband's company wanted big moving names and we submitted three quotes. They picked International Van Lines, which wasn't the cheapest, and we used them for our move from Charlotte to Raleigh. The person that came over measured and weighed everything and discussed every detail with me which was great. They talked about things you don't even think about like the price of stuff. We had the same crew for the pickup and the delivery and they were great from showing up, starting on time, loading the truck and documenting all of our stuff.

They were wonderful and respectful which I really appreciated. They took care of the stuff and really wrapped my pictures that I wanted. I'm very organized so it helped that I knew exactly what I wanted, what was coming and what wasn't going. It was a two-hour move and from start to finish, it was smooth as it can be. Everything was on time. They packed us up on Thursday, delivered our stuff and we unpacked Friday. I was very lucky with my crew. I am very pleased and I would definitely trust them.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We have had the worst possible experience with this company. They underestimated our house and sent a small budget truck and three guys. They showed up 4 hours later than they told us that morning. The guys left early the first day. The second day they were late again and got into a disagreement with my neighbor. Then they asked us what we wanted tied to the LIFT GATE of the truck and what we were LEAVING behind because there wasn't space. We had to leave thousands of dollars of our stuff behind because they only sent a 20' truck for a 3br house and garage after my husband spent 20 minutes going through our house and garage detailing every item we owned. On a previous move, a different company sent double the size of truck.

We were leaving to go cross country the next day and they gave us no option of taking the remaining items. We set up delivery and at this point it has been delayed by the company the day before telling us that they don't even have it loaded in another city. These are just the main points. We do not believe this is a legitimate company. It is terribly managed with everyone we speak to giving us a different answer. It has been a nightmare experience!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I called International Van Lines and I liked the people I talked with. They said it seemed like they could make the move happen and they did. The only negative feedback that I have is I thought they were going to come straight from North Carolina. It was eight or nine days before my furniture arrived over here. I was anxious to get in and started getting things put away. A lady flew out and was going to drive my car back. They were a day later than we thought they were going to be, and I don’t know why that was - whether it was on my end or their end. But she had to get back and so we had to leave packing everything.

Nevertheless, they did a really good job. There was a gun that was missing, but I was going to rid of it anyway, so it wasn’t a big deal. There were two, three other small things missing, but I'm sure there always is whenever a person moves. But I don’t believe that International Van Lines was responsible for that. It all worked out in the long run though. I was also really impressed with the drivers and I highly rate the movers and their ability to make me feel at ease.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I moved from Seattle to Dover, New Hampshire due to work. My friends recommended International Van Lines since the prices were comparatively reasonable and the service was good. The crew was good in handling my move but one of my boxes was fragile and they didn't take care of it. So by the time I received my stuff, all of it was broken and I was not happy with that.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Other moving companies had negative reviews and International Van Lines had the least that I could see. They also had the most positive reviews. I’m big about making sure that we go with the company that has people’s respect and trust. International Van Lines looked worthy so I tried them out when I moved back to my hometown. The crew arrived on time. They kept in contact so they weren't leaving us in the dark when they were getting here. They were great and very helpful. They worked really hard but when they thought we were all done signing everything, they were sitting around saying lots of people tip. It was an awkward moment and I was a little confused because they made it seem like we should tip them. We ended up tipping them but that was one thing I’m still unclear about.

Other than that, the move was handled well from the get go. I would trust International Van Lines to do it again. Everybody I talked to was caring and professional. They gave us a deal on storage so the fact that we could have everything moved from my house and storage was really helpful in not having to move it into a storage unit ourselves. The whole process was great and the customer service guy I talked to initially giving the box quote was really great, too.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

The 1st phone call went fine after quite a long conversation about why I needed a personal inspection i.e.; a large home, piano, steep driveway, etc. cross country move (PA to ID), and confirming with manager, as he left the phone and came back to agree to send out an agent to personally view my items. I didn't want to have the problems that so many people seem to have with "over the phone quotes". I was told that the local agent would contact me with a time and date.

When contacted, by email, again, not local, he sent a "fill in the blanks" form. I called the second agent Jeremy **, I started to explain why I needed someone to come out, he rudely interrupted me, saying "we are going to pass on this move, goodbye." After dropping other movers, time spent with the 1st agent, waiting for response, this is how this company treats people. Well there was one good thing that came out of this is, imagine how bad they would be if I had actually used them!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had just retired and needed to move all my household goods from Maryland to Texas. I went to the internet, did my research and a list of moving companies came up. I boiled it down to three and got quotes. International Van Lines was in the middle but only they came out and helped me verify my inventory list. They also added a level of security and comfort. The moving crew who came was good. Though the driver that was doing the pickup had been stuck in a snowstorm, it’s nobody’s fault. They could only start loading the truck when he got there at 6:00 o’clock at night. Overall, I was very satisfied with the move. The crew at International Van Lines are efficient and they offer courteous service.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My dad was moving out-of-state to Boston, Massachusetts. It was a whole-house move that included one king-sized bed and about 10 years’ worth of household items. So I went online, did my research, and found some feedback about International Van Lines and my friend also used them. The crew that handled the move was very good. They came on time, and they wrapped up and secured everything. The only thing I wasn’t too crazy about was they decided to put our stuff in storage until we found a place in Boston. I only knew it a day before so I informed them about it and they insisted that they were going to charge me for a whole month of storage when we only used it for one day. But overall, I had a good experience.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My husband and I moved cross-country six times during our careers; there were more missteps in this International Van Lines move than all of the others combined. People were generally friendly; however, communication throughout was poor, and planning and execution were unacceptable. The short story is that the estimated space required to move a four bedroom house with full basement was sorely off causing a second partial load to be transported. The initial guaranteed estimate was over $10,000, but another $1600 was added on at the end of moving (out) day due to the necessity of a second truck. We were told there were no additional items, just that the items took more space than anticipated.

A third delivery was required after I notified the company's president that a number of items were still missing. Some of those items never showed up and International has chosen to do nothing further. Some minor damage can't be avoided; but there were numerous pieces seriously damaged due to improper packing or due to loss of parts. Framed wall art was stacked four or five together and wrapped as bundles causing glass to be broken and art to be slashed by the glass. All three floor lamps were broken, the washing machine was scraped and dented, leather sofas were scratched in multiple locations. Knobs were removed from the gas grill, legs removed from the picnic table, mattress detached from the frame of a bed made to lift the head section all with the pieces required to re-attach, lost (and items left to be figured out by us).

We had been assured that the same people who packed and loaded us would also be the ones to unload our belongings. That was definitely not the case and, as a result, there was no accountability for anything that happened. If you're interested in more detail or examples of why I could never recommend this company, read on. The guaranteed estimate was to hold firm unless there were pieces of substance not included in the estimate. As I said above, the team lead who packed us and loaded us (until he ran out of room) said there were no additional items. We were charged more money nonetheless and there was nothing we could do about it. They wouldn't load the remaining household goods without agreement to pay and they wouldn't unload anything at the new destination until it was paid.

When I ultimately lodged a complaint with the company's president, he said he would look into why we were charged and into possible reimbursement, but I never heard anything again about it. Prior to the International Van Lines team showing up, I packed my costume jewelry. I used a shoebox-sized box, layered necklaces between tissue paper and topped them with small zip lock bags of earrings. The box was wrapped with duct tape and placed in a dresser drawer amongst clothes. The dresser was delivered with clothes still in the drawers; however the box was never seen again. The necklaces were found tangled in a box of workshop tools (packed two stories below). The earrings were not found anywhere.

On a much larger scale, we had five wheels/tires and the original rear axle for a classic car. When they did not arrive with the second truck, I started making calls. After some persistence and contacting several people, I got confirmation that they were still in a warehouse in Pennsylvania. After contacting the company's president (I didn't know where else to go to get answers), I got commitment that they would be delivered as soon as possible. When the third truck came, it arrived with four wheels and tires. The fifth wheel and the axle were not part of the delivery. Again, I have been unable to get further information on these items and, ten weeks after our move, presume, that we will not.

Lastly, each of our (three) deliveries were partial deliveries, meaning that someone else's belongings shared space on the same trucks. In the first delivery, only a couple of things that weren't ours ended up in our house. (They were returned to the truck before it left; but had we not noticed them in the confusion of the day, they would likely have never made it to the rightful owners.) In the second delivery, tags for both families were of the same color. The movers opened boxes and asked if it was our stuff. In other words, we had the option of picking and choosing.

Clearly none of this is what we expect when we entrust a company to move our belongings. It's certainly not what we pay for. They had three delivery chances to make us whole. All were disappointing for various reasons. The president, who was responsive in calling me when he initially received my letter, had opportunity to improve upon the poor experience and he disappointed as well. I couldn't possibly recommend this company to anyone wanting a professional move.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I was moving to a new house out of state and decided to go with International Van Lines after I looked at reviews and information about them. The people that picked up my stuff were excellent, efficient, courteous, and easy to work with. The delivery itself was fine. They were quick and efficient. They did a good job.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I saw that the reviews of International Van Lines were good and decided to hire them during my move. They are very responsive. If I have questions they would respond through email or a phone. Everybody’s just very professional and helpful and it was an excellent experience.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

International Van Lines were very forthcoming about the cost and they were very reliable as far as the follow up was concerned. Karen, our coordinating agent down in Florida, was very thorough, responsible and followed up on all of our questions. The teams that, loaded, unloaded and packed our stuff were excellent and professional. International Van Lines was good all-around and we’d use them again.

International Van Lines Company Information

internationalvanlines.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use