3.6/5 (638 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About International Van Lines

International Van Lines, also known as IVL, operates throughout the entire continental U.S. and services all kinds of destinations worldwide. It offers long-distance, international and local moving services. It also provides free quotes and sets up customers with relocation coordinators who can help plan their moves.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top International Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Great moving experience! Mike and his team were quick and effective and have moved our 1-bedroom apartment in less time than estimated, but still taking great care of all our furn...

Verified

I’m not one to post reviews, but I’m compelled to share that our experience with IVL went well… Our move was for a 4 bedroom house from New York to Seattle. In the midst of all th...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is International Van Lines?

International Van Lines is a licensed moving company that offers a wide variety of services for individuals and families. The company is licensed by the Department of Transportation, the Federal Maritime Commission and the American Moving & Storage Association. It offers its services nationwide and in more than 180 countries.

International Van Lines services

International Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves. Its team provides full-service door-to-door or port-to-port moving solutions. As a licensed freight forwarder, International Van Lines maintains direct contracts with leading ocean carriers in order to provide competitive pricing for international moves. The company also offers freight and air moving solutions.

It pairs customers with relocation coordinators to plan the details of their move. You can schedule an in-person or virtual walk-through to get a more accurate quote and plan.

International Van Lines moving costs

The cost of International Van Lines’ services can range widely from customer to customer — a local move, for example, could cost a quarter of the price of a long-distance one. For easy access to pricing info, you can request a free quote. To hold the date after you get your quote, you’ll have to pay a deposit of about 25% of the total cost of the quote. If you need to cancel, the company refunds 100% of the deposit paid (up to 48 hours before the scheduled pickup).

International Van Lines FAQ

Does International Van Lines offer international moving services?

Yes. International Van Lines specializes in international moves.

Is International Van Lines a broker?

Yes. International Van Lines is both a carrier and a broker for moves. Most customers use it as a carrier, but if a truck breaks down or a customer needs services in places IVL doesn’t cover, it acts as a broker.

Does International Van Lines have moving insurance?

Yes. IVL offers insurance for both domestic and international moves. If you opt out, IVL provides limited liability coverage, which covers $0.60 per pound per article.

Does International Van Lines offer packing services?

Yes. You can add packing services to your moving package at an additional cost. IVL also sells packing supplies like boxes and tape.

Is International Van Lines a good company?

International Van Lines is a licensed and certified moving carrier with a good history of service and support. It has a vast array of moving options, including freight, air and sea, plus transport to more than 180 countries. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t offer sample pricing online; you have to call the company for a free quote. Its 25% upfront deposit also might not be feasible for some, but it does have a 100% refund policy up to 48 hours before the move.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: July 8, 2022

My partner and I used International Van Lines for our recent house move. From start to finish they were excellent, the quote we received was good value and calculated in a straightforward way (unlike some of the others we got). On the packing and moving days the team turned up on time, got on with the job professionally and were personable and pleasant to deal with. They took care of our possession like they were their own and moved everything without a single breakage. Large items were put back together better than we had built them in the first place. We couldn’t recommend them enough and will definitely use them if we move again in future.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Relocating is going to be difficult, and that's something I expect. On the other side, this company alleviated a lot of the stress of our move! Moving a house is what brought International Van Lines into the picture recently. Cameron, our consultant, was a pleasure to deal with. Great job, packers and movers. This group not only packed fast and effectively, but they also answered every request with a simple "no problem." We received our items the very following day thanks to them! First time in my life that I actually enjoyed a move! And to top it all off, I got a better deal than I expected on the purchase. We'll definitely use them again if we ever have to move again.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 22, 2022

Henry and International Van Lines were wonderful to work with, from the initial scheduling and estimating meeting to coordinating the move, payment, and delivery. They were professional, kind, and able to thoughtfully and thoroughly answer my questions and address my concerns. Henry was professional and managed the process well. Alexander, my driver, and his crew took extra care to protect the flooring and my items while packing and unloading. I also appreciate that Henry was able to schedule delivery within four days of loading. It minimized the time I had to spend in a hotel and prevented me from taking an extra day off of work.

Original review: June 15, 2022

They arrived 15 minutes before my scheduled move time. They got my belongings packed safely and into their truck quickly. What impressed me was their efficiency and "can do" attitude when we learned that the elevator in my new building was out of service. With a smile, they hauled ten or so boxes, an oversized recliner, a TV table, and a mattress to my new fourth-floor unit and still kept the total move time to 1.5 hours. Having never used a mover before and feeling awful about promising an elevator in my new building, I hope my tip was adequate! I will do everything to use these guys again and spread the word about this excellent service I received.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

Josh is the owner, and he is trustworthy, bright and kind. He was straightforward with me from the starting and helped me save money on the move. The move ended up costly, MUCH less than the other company quoted, and the entire staff was full of integrity. John crew is excellent, and he treats them generously (pays them fairly, doesn't demand over time, and brings them lunch!), which makes a difference in the crew's professionalism. I am so happy we went with International Van Line.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

These guys were awesome helping us load our entire home into a POD before moving. Jonah and guys were top notch. Super nice and professional and did a great job!! I would recommend it to anyone! We did. They were far cheaper than my other quotes because they were nearby. They made our transition very easy from packing to the five-hour travel and unloading. Nothing broke throughout the lengthy travel since our fragile things, including TVs and huge furniture, were wrapped meticulously and strengthened. They easily completed every task I requested of them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

They were the worst and most careless moving company I have ever dealt with. I have relocated and moved multiple times in my life so if I take the time to say STAY FAR AWAY then you know something went horribly wrong. I kept every receipt, text, and email. They can never dispute my review of them. They pulled a bait and switch. You can see all my pics and documentation on Tiktok under **. One mover even had the audacity to ask me if I lived alone--completely unprofessional and inappropriate. They have no accountability for the excessive damage as well. Do not hire them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

Professional and efficient! I highly recommend this company to anyone who is looking for assistance moving long distance (I've used them for long distance and in-town). Moving is already stressful enough as it is, and this team takes the load off for sure! Although they go out of their way to fit you in their schedule, I highly recommend calling them in advance and securing a date.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

DO NOT USE THIS MOVING COMPANY - I felt SCAMMED. I arranged to use IVL for a simple move from Dallas, TX to North Carolina. They were extremely responsive in the beginning with returning calls and providing information. The packing and loading went well. The problem occurred on delivery. I had specified from day one before any papers were signed that I required the movers to unpack my boxes and to include it in my quote. I was told this would be included in the move total on numerous occasions as this was very important to me.

When I mentioned to the driver they would need to unpack the boxes, he told me he had not been informed of this and was not planning to unpack the boxes. I promptly called IVL and they proceeded to tell me it would cost an additional $500 to have my boxes unpacked. This was such a SCAM!!! This was even detailed out on my invoice as included in the costs. They would not answer my calls and I was told by the driver he was the person in charge of my load. I was able to discuss with IVL, but only on his phone and they were adamant that if I wanted my boxes unpacked, I had to pay an additional $500. In the meantime, the driver told the hired hands they would have to stay and unpack the boxes for no extra pay and a whole new fight broke out in my front yard. This was extremely stressful and embarrassing and unfair to me as I had been led to believe I had already paid for the unpacking.

In the end, I did not pay them the $500 and I had to unpack the boxes myself. The driver insisted I sign the delivery papers with no opportunity to check the inventory, and he promptly left. I later figured out that he must not have completely unloaded the truck. As soon as I signed the papers, he slammed the doors closed on the truck and left. I am now left with approximately $2300 in undelivered items. There is no form on their website to claim a loss, nor will anyone return my message as I have left several. DO NOT USE THIS MOVING COMPANY!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

International Van Line's quote was a bit less than some of the larger well known moving companies and reviews seemed good, so we decided to go with them. I'll be honest, a month ago I would have recommended IVL. We had a great pickup experience and the moving team that packed our belongings and loaded them on to their truck was fantastic (so nice). They did do an inventory and did not estimate correctly, so we did end up needing more space in the truck and it ended up being a bit more (which we heard can happen and planned for). They also were ambitious with how long it would take to pack and load... Ended up having to come back the next day and our bed was already packed, but overall a pretty good experience. I thought we were one of the lucky ones. Now... I'm not confident we will see our things for quite some time.

We had our belongings in storage for a couple months and gave them a month heads-up of when we would want our belongings. They said they would "try" to make the delivery date (after 2 weeks of silence). They replied that they can deliver up to 21 days after the delivery date as they try to consolidate moves (OK, get it, we knew that was in the contract), but we get 24 hours notice once our things are loaded into a truck (THAT was not in our contract). The communication is now non existent. We're past delivery date and now getting copy and pasted emails of our contract. No updates. After reading some other reviews I'm concerned we won't be getting our things for quite some time. My advice, pay a little extra for a well known company. DO NOT use these guys if your items are going to go into storage and you want them within a reasonable timeframe after. I hope to update my review after the delivery, but If I could go back in time I would make a different decision.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

International Van Lines Company Information