4.29/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

International Van Lines is an A+ rated company and has been ranked as one of America's top 3 moving companies. IVL also maintains a 5 star rating with Yelp.

IVL operates through the entire continental U.S. as well as services any destination worldwide. They offer long-distance, international and local moving services.

International Van Lines Video
International Van Lines Gallery (6)
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 10, 2017

260 International Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I was doing a job-related move and using International Van Lines was cost effective. The crew that handled my move was excellent and they were friendly. My experience with IVL was smooth and everything was good.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I was moving a few states away and I was searching online for a moving company. I found International Van Lines and I decided to hire them after talking to their reps. I also liked their price. It was a good experience.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

My husband's company wanted big moving names and we submitted three quotes. They picked International Van Lines, which wasn't the cheapest, and we used them for our move from Charlotte to Raleigh. The person that came over measured and weighed everything and discussed every detail with me which was great. They talked about things you don't even think about like the price of stuff. We had the same crew for the pickup and the delivery and they were great from showing up, starting on time, loading the truck and documenting all of our stuff.

They were wonderful and respectful which I really appreciated. They took care of the stuff and really wrapped my pictures that I wanted. I'm very organized so it helped that I knew exactly what I wanted, what was coming and what wasn't going. It was a two-hour move and from start to finish, it was smooth as it can be. Everything was on time. They packed us up on Thursday, delivered our stuff and we unpacked Friday. I was very lucky with my crew. I am very pleased and I would definitely trust them.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We have had the worst possible experience with this company. They underestimated our house and sent a small budget truck and three guys. They showed up 4 hours later than they told us that morning. The guys left early the first day. The second day they were late again and got into a disagreement with my neighbor. Then they asked us what we wanted tied to the LIFT GATE of the truck and what we were LEAVING behind because there wasn't space. We had to leave thousands of dollars of our stuff behind because they only sent a 20' truck for a 3br house and garage after my husband spent 20 minutes going through our house and garage detailing every item we owned. On a previous move, a different company sent double the size of truck.

We were leaving to go cross country the next day and they gave us no option of taking the remaining items. We set up delivery and at this point it has been delayed by the company the day before telling us that they don't even have it loaded in another city. These are just the main points. We do not believe this is a legitimate company. It is terribly managed with everyone we speak to giving us a different answer. It has been a nightmare experience!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I called International Van Lines and I liked the people I talked with. They said it seemed like they could make the move happen and they did. The only negative feedback that I have is I thought they were going to come straight from North Carolina. It was eight or nine days before my furniture arrived over here. I was anxious to get in and started getting things put away. A lady flew out and was going to drive my car back. They were a day later than we thought they were going to be, and I don’t know why that was - whether it was on my end or their end. But she had to get back and so we had to leave packing everything.

Nevertheless, they did a really good job. There was a gun that was missing, but I was going to rid of it anyway, so it wasn’t a big deal. There were two, three other small things missing, but I'm sure there always is whenever a person moves. But I don’t believe that International Van Lines was responsible for that. It all worked out in the long run though. I was also really impressed with the drivers and I highly rate the movers and their ability to make me feel at ease.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I moved from Seattle to Dover, New Hampshire due to work. My friends recommended International Van Lines since the prices were comparatively reasonable and the service was good. The crew was good in handling my move but one of my boxes was fragile and they didn't take care of it. So by the time I received my stuff, all of it was broken and I was not happy with that.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Other moving companies had negative reviews and International Van Lines had the least that I could see. They also had the most positive reviews. I’m big about making sure that we go with the company that has people’s respect and trust. International Van Lines looked worthy so I tried them out when I moved back to my hometown. The crew arrived on time. They kept in contact so they weren't leaving us in the dark when they were getting here. They were great and very helpful. They worked really hard but when they thought we were all done signing everything, they were sitting around saying lots of people tip. It was an awkward moment and I was a little confused because they made it seem like we should tip them. We ended up tipping them but that was one thing I’m still unclear about.

Other than that, the move was handled well from the get go. I would trust International Van Lines to do it again. Everybody I talked to was caring and professional. They gave us a deal on storage so the fact that we could have everything moved from my house and storage was really helpful in not having to move it into a storage unit ourselves. The whole process was great and the customer service guy I talked to initially giving the box quote was really great, too.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

The 1st phone call went fine after quite a long conversation about why I needed a personal inspection i.e.; a large home, piano, steep driveway, etc. cross country move (PA to ID), and confirming with manager, as he left the phone and came back to agree to send out an agent to personally view my items. I didn't want to have the problems that so many people seem to have with "over the phone quotes". I was told that the local agent would contact me with a time and date.

When contacted, by email, again, not local, he sent a "fill in the blanks" form. I called the second agent Jeremy **, I started to explain why I needed someone to come out, he rudely interrupted me, saying "we are going to pass on this move, goodbye." After dropping other movers, time spent with the 1st agent, waiting for response, this is how this company treats people. Well there was one good thing that came out of this is, imagine how bad they would be if I had actually used them!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had just retired and needed to move all my household goods from Maryland to Texas. I went to the internet, did my research and a list of moving companies came up. I boiled it down to three and got quotes. International Van Lines was in the middle but only they came out and helped me verify my inventory list. They also added a level of security and comfort. The moving crew who came was good. Though the driver that was doing the pickup had been stuck in a snowstorm, it’s nobody’s fault. They could only start loading the truck when he got there at 6:00 o’clock at night. Overall, I was very satisfied with the move. The crew at International Van Lines are efficient and they offer courteous service.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

My dad was moving out-of-state to Boston, Massachusetts. It was a whole-house move that includes a one king-sized bed and about 10 years’ worth of household items. So I went online, did my research, and found some feedback about International Van Lines and my friend also used them. The crew that handled the move were very good. They came on time, and they wrapped up and secured everything. The only thing I wasn’t too crazy about was they decided to put our stuff in storage until we found a place in Boston. I only knew it a day before so I informed them about it and they insisted that they were going to charge me for a whole month of storage when we only used it for one day. But overall, I had a good experience.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

My husband and I moved cross-country six times during our careers; there were more missteps in this International Van Lines move than all of the others combined. People were generally friendly; however, communication throughout was poor, and planning and execution were unacceptable. The short story is that the estimated space required to move a four bedroom house with full basement was sorely off causing a second partial load to be transported. The initial guaranteed estimate was over $10,000, but another $1600 was added on at the end of moving (out) day due to the necessity of a second truck. We were told there were no additional items, just that the items took more space than anticipated.

A third delivery was required after I notified the company's president that a number of items were still missing. Some of those items never showed up and International has chosen to do nothing further. Some minor damage can't be avoided; but there were numerous pieces seriously damaged due to improper packing or due to loss of parts. Framed wall art was stacked four or five together and wrapped as bundles causing glass to be broken and art to be slashed by the glass. All three floor lamps were broken, the washing machine was scraped and dented, leather sofas were scratched in multiple locations. Knobs were removed from the gas grill, legs removed from the picnic table, mattress detached from the frame of a bed made to lift the head section all with the pieces required to re-attach, lost (and items left to be figured out by us).

We had been assured that the same people who packed and loaded us would also be the ones to unload our belongings. That was definitely not the case and, as a result, there was no accountability for anything that happened. If you're interested in more detail or examples of why I could never recommend this company, read on. The guaranteed estimate was to hold firm unless there were pieces of substance not included in the estimate. As I said above, the team lead who packed us and loaded us (until he ran out of room) said there were no additional items. We were charged more money nonetheless and there was nothing we could do about it. They wouldn't load the remaining household goods without agreement to pay and they wouldn't unload anything at the new destination until it was paid.

When I ultimately lodged a complaint with the company's president, he said he would look into why we were charged and into possible reimbursement, but I never heard anything again about it. Prior to the International Van Lines team showing up, I packed my costume jewelry. I used a shoebox-sized box, layered necklaces between tissue paper and topped them with small zip lock bags of earrings. The box was wrapped with duct tape and placed in a dresser drawer amongst clothes. The dresser was delivered with clothes still in the drawers; however the box was never seen again. The necklaces were found tangled in a box of workshop tools (packed two stories below). The earrings were not found anywhere.

On a much larger scale, we had five wheels/tires and the original rear axle for a classic car. When they did not arrive with the second truck, I started making calls. After some persistence and contacting several people, I got confirmation that they were still in a warehouse in Pennsylvania. After contacting the company's president (I didn't know where else to go to get answers), I got commitment that they would be delivered as soon as possible. When the third truck came, it arrived with four wheels and tires. The fifth wheel and the axle were not part of the delivery. Again, I have been unable to get further information on these items and, ten weeks after our move, presume, that we will not.

Lastly, each of our (three) deliveries were partial deliveries, meaning that someone else's belongings shared space on the same trucks. In the first delivery, only a couple of things that weren't ours ended up in our house. (They were returned to the truck before it left; but had we not noticed them in the confusion of the day, they would likely have never made it to the rightful owners.) In the second delivery, tags for both families were of the same color. The movers opened boxes and asked if it was our stuff. In other words, we had the option of picking and choosing.

Clearly none of this is what we expect when we entrust a company to move our belongings. It's certainly not what we pay for. They had three delivery chances to make us whole. All were disappointing for various reasons. The president, who was responsive in calling me when he initially received my letter, had opportunity to improve upon the poor experience and he disappointed as well. I couldn't possibly recommend this company to anyone wanting a professional move.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I was moving to a new house out of state and decided to go with International Van Lines after I looked at reviews and information about them. The people that picked up my stuff were excellent, efficient, courteous, and easy to work with. The delivery itself was fine. They were quick and efficient. They did a good job.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I saw that the reviews of International Van Lines were good and decided to hire them during my move. They are very responsive. If I have questions they would respond through email or a phone. Everybody’s just very professional and helpful and it was an excellent experience.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

International Van Lines were very forthcoming about the cost and they were very reliable as far as the follow up was concerned. Karen, our coordinating agent down in Florida, was very thorough, responsible and followed up on all of our questions. The teams that, loaded, unloaded and packed our stuff were excellent and professional. International Van Lines was good all-around and we’d use them again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

On the pickup, of the items that IVL packed, most of the furniture and electronics were reasonably packed and prepared for the move. But when it came to the other items like lamps, shades, and especially my prized pottery, glass, and the most expensive items, the oil paintings, the packing was not adequate. The pottery and glass were only packed with paper and then were packed on top of each other in a 29" tall box. The two oil paintings were again only packed with a few pieces of paper and then worse yet, both were packed in the same box. I pointed this out in both cases when the packing was being done but the packer insisted everything would be fine. Well it wasn't with one of my most prized antique candlestick being broken in half. And the oil paintings were damaged with both having paint loss rubs and the large one has a dent in it where the second painting must have pushed against it.

Besides the candlestick and the paintings, one of the marble lamps was chipped, a lamp shade was crushed, a glass lamp shade was totally shattered, a corner of one of the oak cabinets was crushed, and the wooden frame around the hall tree mirror was cracked in the move. Also the large leather sofa has been damaged with bad rub marks on the leather. What was especially aggravating was that I pointed out that these items were not being adequately packed but nothing was done.

On the delivery of the items, the driver was insolent and not communicative. And his two helpers did not speak English and could barely understand what I said. The truck doing the delivery was not in good condition with all kinds of patch painting. And the boxes were not being carefully handled with some being thrown around in the truck. When the large leather sofa was being moved into the front door the driver was ready to leave it outside because they were having problems getting it through the doorway. My husband had to intervene and tell these "professional" movers how to angle it to get it inside. Nonetheless they damaged the front door frame as well as the sofa.

And then the final issue was the two helpers who stood in my house even when the driver ordered them to leave. And for a few tense minutes they would not comply. The driver then said he was calling the police and they moved outside to the front of the house. I then discovered that these helpers were day laborers who because of the time and effort of my move felt they were owed more money than what the driver had promised. The police came and had to negotiate between the driver and the day laborers. And this was all being done in the front of my new house with my neighbors watching. A great start for us in this very close and quiet community.

So in conclusion I was not happy with the IVL move. With all the good comments from other moves I don't understand why my move went so badly. If you want to get a quote from them insist that all employees on both ends are IVL and that the move won't be contracted out. I believe this was the real problem with my move.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I used International Van Lines when I moved from Boston to Kansas City, Missouri, and it was a very pleasant experience with them. Their pricing was good and I knew exactly what I was going to be getting within that price. Justin, the agent I worked with was very helpful too and the crew was great. The two movers handled the move well and did a great job, but we probably could’ve cut a few hours, for sure, if there was an additional or third person. But I think the number of movers is based on how many square footage of furniture one has. But overall, IVL was transparent, and efficient and their process was easy.

Resolution response: Aug. 14, 2017

Issue has been resolved and IVL is sending a check to me.

Original review: July 17, 2017

This company contracts everything out to other moving and storage companies. Their quote to move a one-bedroom condo from D.C. to FL went from $2,840 originally, to $4,800 the day before the move, to $8,035 after they loaded everything on the truck on moving day. Also, I had packed everything myself! At that point, you are stuck! Nobody calls you back or answers emails. They do not come to your home to check on items to be moved to give you an accurate quote. My mattress was soaking wet on arrival even though it had a plastic cover. Seriously, $8,035 to move a one-bedroom condo of 970 sq. ft.??? DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!

Original review: July 17, 2017

I just rec'd my shipment in India after about 3+ weeks. I'm pleased to say that I rec'd everything with no damages or hidden charges. IVL handled everything from start to finish which included packing, loading customs, clearance, etc. I am very happy with the service provided and would use IVL again.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I was overall please with the service I received from International Van Lines. Packers did a great job making sure that my fragile items were secure. My rep Ryan and the movers that showed up were very easy to work with. I rec'd all my goods in about a week's time and with no damage so they get a good review from me.

Original review: July 14, 2017

The definition of fraud is wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain. International Van Lines lied to me repeatedly in order to gain. They asserted that an International Van Lines truck with International Van Lines employees would pick up my stuff and deliver it to my new home. This did not occur, instead 3 guys from the Bronx came in a budget rent a truck and many days later A single individual came and delivered stuff. Obviously I did at least half of the moving in myself. Lies lies lies... nothing more than wasted money, all International Van Lines did was take my money and call some guys from the Bronx.

Original review: July 14, 2017

IVL did a great job! I waited until delivery yesterday to do this review to make sure all was delivered safe and sound. I have moved before and had terrible experiences. I made the right decision this time choosing IVL and I want to thank you for everything you did for me!

Hi Lee,

We're happy to hear that you were pleased with our services. Thank you for taking the time and leaving us your feedback.

International Van Lines

Original review: July 11, 2017

Exceeded our satisfaction - will use for all our moving needs. We used IVL for a local move from Coral Springs, FL to Boynton Beach, FL. My foreman Serge was amazing. He went above and beyond to ensure everything was packed properly. I rec'd my goods the same day and with no damage. I would highly recommend IVL. We will be using them again shortly when we move our office! Thank you for your attention to detail. Look forward to working with you again!!!

Hi Michael,
Thank you for spending the time an leaving us a review. We're happy to hear that you were satisfied with our services.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 10, 2017

Avoid at all cost. First of all, they are a broker not a mover, which means they'll subcontract your move to some other company that you know nothing about. Second, they'll do your estimate over the phone and then you'll invariably get charged more once your belongings are loaded on the truck. Third, expect your move to start late by hours or even days, and for delivery to be at their convenience and not yours. Best thing to do is find a mover with local offices that will send an agent to your home to survey and provide a binding estimate. BTW, the majority of positive reviews you are reading here are paid for and fake. Still not convinced? Go and read the complaints at the Better Business Bureau and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 23, 2017

I did a phone inventory with this and two other moving companies. IVL's estimate came in much lower than the other two. I went with them. At the time of the move, however, I was told that the actual cost was almost DOUBLE the given estimate. During the past month I have written messages of protest to the main office. All that I received was one, short, cursory reply and another which contained a computer virus! They talk a good game in getting you to sign up but their estimates are worthless. There was a clear pattern of "bait and switch" that we were caught in; don't fall into the same trap.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 18, 2017

Hired IVL for a cross country move, and specified that an on site estimate would take 2 weeks. Was pressured with just over the phone estimate rather than an on site estimate. Quoted $5600. Subcontractor movers arrived and stated that the cost would be more but could not provide an estimate until they began loading. We checked in with them mid load and he said that they would figure out the cost at the end which ended up to be $9800. All the paperwork provided as my 'ledger' and evidence of shipment was illegible and impossible to track against what was actually moved despite numerous requests to try to get clarification and details on the ledger during the. The paperwork is only provided at the very end of the pack and you have little to no choice but to sign due to all of your belongings (which you can't track, by the way) has already been loaded onto the truck.

Movers/packers of were inexperienced (i.e. day laborers) and paid cash by the foreman at the end of the day and left in a separate vehicle. They also did not complete the packing of items and left drawers and closets untouched. I complained more than 6 times via email with IVL with no resolution, complaining about the service, as well as scratches left on my floor. Trash was left behind, and an inventory list that was never shared with us during their "packing." The sales person quoted 2 weeks for delivery and the items were not delivered until 4 weeks later and could not provide accurate updates of the date of arrival. Upon arrival to the destination (we were quoted 12 pm and they arrived at 5pm). Two "movers" arrived and could not decipher the inventory list that the previous foreman generated.

Additionally, they tried to charge for a flight of stairs, which was quoted as included in the original estimate. Because of their inexperience and lack of knowledge on fragile items, they DROPPED our Steinway piano and broke an antique dining room table. IVL touts code of ethics on their website, but subcontracts all of their work with unprofessional, and unlicensed employees that are clearly not on their payroll. Do not use International Van Lines as a moving company!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 6, 2017

This moving company preys on military service members that only have a short time to make moves and make decisions. I got a quote from IVL that seemed reasonable at the time just to be told "it's just an estimate" only for it to increase by several thousand dollars. Our accounts representative also told us that the move would take seven business days. We were without our belongings for an entire month at my new duty station halfway across the country. Just make sure to pack enough underwear and deodorant because International Van Lines will cheat you out of house and home.

On the day of the move, we thought someone from IVL would show up. Two men from Safeway Moving showed up and badgered, coerced, and bullied my wife into signing their "bill of lading". What we didn't know is that we signed for thousands of dollars more than we were quoted at. This was after our account rep. told us that they would measure our belongings and refund us the difference in cubic feet. Liars! Then when our things finally did show up, we lost items and suffered over a grand in damages to our belongings. We found it disheveled, disorganized, and damn near falling over in Mayflower double semi trailer. We even got someone else's belongings.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I was relocating from Ohio to Georgia and scraping up my household in Ohio and downsizing and moving to Florida, where I had just purchased a house from and I'm waiting to move in to. I had to have a moving company that could take a portion of the household goods that were going to my son in Northern California. That’s why I used International Van Lines for. The other part of it was going to an estate sale and those people had their own moving people and then it was going to be stored in Georgia. I wanted a Georgia moving company to come up and get it to stored temporarily in Atlanta. I got International, to do a partial move to Northern California.

The move went very well. The only problem was that they were too disappointing. They called and asked if they could come back the night before the scheduled time because the driver sort of had a family issue and was in Cleveland. It was going to snow. It didn’t make any difference to me. I said he could come get it now and he did. I described the load to the person on the phone but it turned out that it was not the same way it looked to the driver when he got there. I had said it was going to be 16 12-bottle cases of wine, regular wine shippers of the standard type. My son in California is in the wine business in Napa and he had helped me buy a lot of wine and I was sending it to him.

The estimator called them 16 small boxes which were, in the driver’s view, a completely different size than the ones he thought, but wine shippers are standard size so that was disappointing. I called back and had told him what the different items were that we were adding on to the load and he said not to worry, that we were way under the minimum. So we didn’t worry and when we got there and he showed up, the driver was telling me was that everything that I had told them I was shipping the fellow had estimated it to be much smaller than it actually was in reality.

He estimated it as one of those under counter wine fridges which it clearly is not. I told him I was shipping a toy chest which was an upright toy chest, but it looks like a little house with a soldier on the front and in the driver’s mind it was a little toy chest like you put at the foot of the bed which it clearly was not. It's not any bigger than that and looks different. The upside of the whole thing was he went around and measured everything and said that it was gonna be $200 more which didn’t seem outrageous to me, but it seemed odd that the estimate was below the minimum and we ended up being over it. I wish the estimator had either asked more questions or been more thorough.

The other problem was they said it would be delivered within 15 working days. They picked it up on December the 5th and it wasn’t delivered until the end of January and that was $25,000 worth of wine that they potentially could ruin. It was in Cleveland in a warehouse for weeks. They went way past the time and compensated us on the other end, but that really wasn’t the issue. The issue was how much product they could have ruined and it's very expensive wine. The timeliness on the other end was very unsatisfactory. I've relocated nine times over my life across the country and have had all kinds of moves and some I have enjoyed really good, outstanding and some had been just horrible and I would not put this at either one of those.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I used International Van Lines when I moved from Seattle to Florida and my experience was really great when they came and picked up everything. They were super helpful and everything was very concise. However, the cost of my cars was raised for no reason and I paid $300 extra for each car. I complied and didn’t complain.

But then I got a call about 10 hours before the move arrived and they said that they were gonna have to charge me $700 extra because they had to change from the bus to a shuttle. What bothered me about that was first, at no moment did I ever need a semi-truck because that’s not even the amount of things that I owned. And so, I paid for a semi-truck when it could have been in a shuttle from the beginning. Second, the fact that they thought I had $700 in cash out of the pocket to pay them in less than 24 hours. Moves are really expensive especially when you're moving that far away, and for them to think that I could just pull money out on order was offensive.

I did call them out on it because I was very angry. I told them that I wasn’t gonna pay that money because it's their responsibility. They had one month and a half to look at my address and see if they could drive in with a semi-truck or not. And now that I live here, they absolutely could have driven up with a semi-truck because there's a construction happening right across the street from me. It took about seven calls and finally they agreed to take it from a $700 charge to $200. At that point, I was tired of arguing and I decided to pay it. But aside from that, all of my things arrived and everything was fine. Everything went really nice and easy. The movers themselves were very nice.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

Great moving service. I just wanted to take the time and leave these guys a positive review. My agent (Justin) was very good to work with. He explained everything and he seemed to be on point. I would use them again simply because of how easy they made the move for me. 5 stars!!

Hi Lois,

Thank you for spending the time and leaving us a review. It was a pleasure working with you as well. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

International Van Lines

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I moved all my household items and my car using International Van Lines. I asked for a specific date and they agreed to take up the items on that particular date. They came, took all the items and gave me the receipt. My car was delivered on time, but my household items were delayed by roughly 10 days because of weather conditions in Indianapolis on their way. I would suggest that if there is a delay, they should call to give an update once every two days. I had to give them a call and only then would I get an update but I'm not raising this as a concern or complaint. Their crew was good and friendly. Whenever I called, they answered and forwarded me updates. When I sent an email, they replied on time. Other than the delay, I'm satisfied with the service.

Hi Lois,