Ship Your Car

Great Service. Transparent Pricing. Clean Car Guarantee.

Get a Free Quote
3.97/5

Compare Movers

International Van Lines

International Van Lines is an A+ rated company and has been ranked as one of America's top 3 moving companies. IVL also maintains a 5 star rating with Yelp.

IVL operates through the entire continental U.S. as well as services any destination worldwide. They offer long-distance, international and local moving services.

View More View More

Ship Your Car

Great Service. Transparent Pricing. Clean Car Guarantee.

Get a Free Quote

388 International Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 21, 2019

I did a lot of research before I went with IVL for my move from Michigan to Pennsylvania, but did not know that they would outsource to another company, namely, American Knights Moving, for my move. First thing that I should've picked up on was that they told me they only took cash. The movers were nice enough and cordial, but highly inefficient. I have a small one bedroom 700 sq ft apartment and it took them about 6 hours to pack and move everything.

They didn't want to take apart my couch and my bed frame, but then my bed frame broke during transportation, and my claim for reimbursement was denied because the claim department said the bedframe should've been transported disassembled! The mover told me that the moving company would reimburse the full cost of my bed but I haven't been able to speak to anyone. They also broke a floor lamp which they refused to reimburse as well, because they said it wasn't listed on the inventory (the lamp was taken apart and stored in a box, instead of being listed as a separate item). Overall, I would not recommend IVL or American Knights Moving.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My move was from Houston, Texas to Middlesex, New Jersey. It consisted of a 2 bedroom apartment, but we self-packed everything. They sent a 3 person team who loaded within about 4 hours. The guys worked hard and did a great job. I got my delivery about a week later and the same team was there to off-load. We got everything with no damage. I also didn't have to pay more than the quote which was great. Shoutout to Brian my sales rep.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I was referred to IVL from a close friend who had used them for his move to NY. I didn't bother calling anyone else because I knew they were good. They did my move from Parkland, FL to New York York and performed well. I want to thank my sales rep Alex for doing a wonderful job. I'm not a stranger to moving and this was one of the better experiences.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I spent 3 weeks looking for a moving company. It appears that movers get tons of complaints which is very confusing when trying to select the right company. Even the largest movers have a lot of bad reviews. I chose IVL because they were referred by 2 consumer watchdog websites that claimed they are one of the best. My relocation was from NC to NY for a 4 bedroom house and car. IVL managed the job well. They sent a crew of 5 guys to pack, load and deliver. I had my own truck and delivery time of about 3 days. Very pleased with their service.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I chose International Van Lines because of their reputation. The truth is that they were a bit more expensive than other companies, but I did not want to take the chance and get burned like I did the last time I moved. My move was from Houston, TX to Los Angeles, CA for a three bedroom house. They did all the packing and packed very well. They showed up in a nice clean truck which made me feel even more comfortable. I received my load in about a week with no damage. My sales rep Alex was very detailed and made sure things went well for me. I would use them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about International Van Lines?

Original review: April 12, 2019

Moving is very stressful and finding the right company is not an easy task. I spent day and night researching companies and came across these guys on a few 3rd party websites. My move consisted of a 4 bedroom home with packing. Although IVL was a bit pricey I chose them based on my gut. My rep Brian was great at explaining details and he wasn't pushy at all. Other movers would call me non stop and use pressure tactics to try and win my business. I've been in sales for 20 years and can't stand high-pressure salespeople. Well, my move went fine and I got everything with no damage and no added charges. I was very pleased with their service and would use them again if needed.

Original review: April 11, 2019

International Van Lines and their team did a great job overseeing my move to Ontario, CA. My move was fairly small, but it is all I have and I wanted to go with a reputable company. They were referred to me by a friend who also had a great experience with them. The fact that I didn't pay more than the estimate or have any noticeable damage was nice. I'm not big on leaving reviews, but I wanted to spend a minute and leave some positive feedback. My account rep was Justin who was amazing.

Original review: April 10, 2019

You should be aware that International Van Lines uses subcontractors to pack and ship. I would never have used them if I had know this. After they have possession of your things, there is no communication unless you call repeatedly. Initially, the movers didn't show up within two hours of the scheduled arrival time. I called several times to find out when they would arrive. That’s when the first creeping delay began. I was told 1-2 hours. They were over 7 hours late and didn't leave my home until 1:30 am the following morning.

After I drove across country and then got settled in my new home I called the International Van Lines point person to get an approximate delivery date. I was told to 'expect delivery in 2-3 days'. After that time period expired I was told to expect delivery in another 2-3 days. Now it's 3-4 days with an excuse that the third party driver was detained at an inspection station and couldn't leave for 48 hours. Communication is key - especially during a stressful move. The bottom line is that if you’re planning a major move, you should use another carrier and vet them thoroughly. I’ve lost all confidence in International Van Lines and could never recommend them.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I've moved several times and International Van Lines was by far the better of the few experiences I have had. The guys were on-time, packed well, and I had no damages. I would 100% use them again. Highly recommend.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I hired IVL for a cross country move from Los Angeles to Bayshore, NY. My move consisted of a 3 bedroom home, car, and motorcycle. IVL send a dedicated truck just for my load. They also sent a five-person team who did a great job getting things wrapped and loaded promptly. I decided to self-pack my boxes to save money, but they did the rest. My salesperson Justin was excellent and getting things set up for me. Everything he said they would do they did and some. I'm in the military, and this is my 6th time working with a moving company. I have to say that IVL was one of the most professional out of all of them. I am happy to leave this review and refer them.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I hired IVL for a move from Houston, TX to San Francisco back in December. I needed some storage and just received my delivery. I was very pleased with the outcome of the move. I had no damage, additional charges or any issues for that matter. This is the fourth time working with a moving company and by far the better of the four. I would work with IVL again if needed.

Original review: March 28, 2019

When I contracted with International Van Lines: it was under the strict agreement that my budget would not exceed 3500 for total shipment cost, they verbally agreed that except to say that the provider was not liable for any custom or finishing fees. I had gotten quotes from other providers but found them comfortable to chat with. They also initially mentioned that your provider would take care of all packing and handling. I was surprised initially the day of shipment, that they did NOT provide any handling or packing service, I cleared this up with at a cost of more than a thousand dollars to do the job that I expected your company to do. I was then surprised to receive a note saying additional fees were being charged because of storage. I got a bill for an additional 1500$. I am seeking legal advice as to next steps.

Original review: March 27, 2019

IVL did my move from Dallas, TX to New Orleans, LA. It was for a 2 bedroom apartment which also required full packing. I found IVL on several consumer websites which recommended them and a top rated moving company. I was pleased with the experience and wanted to leave them positive feedback.

Original review: March 25, 2019

This is the third time I had to hire a moving company and by far the best experience of the three moves. My move was from South Florida to Washington. This was for a 3 bedroom home which required full packing. All in all I am happy with their services and would use them again if needed.

Original review: March 25, 2019

They took care of my move from LA to South Florida. This was for a 3 bedroom home and required full packing. This is the second time I've worked with a moving company and by far better experience than my first one. I would use them again if needed.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I contracted with IVL for a cross country move based on all the positive reviews. Their quote was off by 50% ($7,000). The packing was a little sketchy, and actual pickup was done by two guys in a Budget rental truck. I just had a feeling that something was off about this company and then it dawned on me that International Van Lines IS NOT AN ACTUAL MOVING COMPANY WITH TRUCKS AND EMPLOYEES WHO PACK AND DRIVE. They are a broker who collects an upfront fee (your initial deposit) and they then contract the move which whatever company takes it.

You are at the mercy of the actual moving company with respect to the actual charges, storage, and delivery. They subcontracted my move to a company called Cobra Van Lines out of NJ. Bottom line is whether you luck out and get a good subcontracted company or not, you will still be paying their broker commission ON TOP of what the move actually costs. I will never use them again. It is just a sneaky pricing situation and unreliable outcome.

Original review: March 21, 2019

My relocation was from SC to MD last month. My sales rep was amazing! He provided me with everything I needed to feel comfortable and he kept the promises of the company. The guys packed well and I received everything a week later with no damage or additional charges. I was pleased with the overall experience and would use again.

Original review: March 20, 2019

IVL handled my move from NY to CA. All in all, I had a good experience minus a couple of small hiccups. They were very good at getting things organized and kept their work which is important to me. I had no damages or overcharges.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We have used 10 different moving companies over the years and this has to be our absolute worst experience. It started off badly when they did not arrive on the agreed upon date - but rather after lunch the following day. They claimed it was in the acceptable window - but NO ONE communicated with us! We just waited and waited despite numerous calls and emails to the people that said "call them anytime we need something...".

Once enroute, they could not update us on an expected arrival date until the day before! Again they said they legally had a window and would arrive within that time limit. I just wanted them to give me an estimate! This week? Next week? The week after??? Nope, "We will let you know the day before..." How is that possible??? Like they had never scheduled a move before and knew how many miles they were traveling? Lastly as we now continue to unpack, we keep finding vases and lamps etc with absolutely no wrapping paper or cushioning of any kind... The care they took with our belongings was abysmal!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had good service from IVL so I don't mind leaving them a positive review. The guys were on-time and did a fine job packing. All in all my experience went well and I would refer them. This is the 3rd time I've hired a moving company and by far the best experience I've had.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

This is the second time I've used International Van Lines, but didn't have a chance to leave a review the first time around. I hired them for a second move to NY simply based on the positive experience I had the first time around. Their movers went above and beyond my requests and I received everything with no damage. My rep Justin was really good at going over the details and being very straightforward with me. I would use again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I just used International Van Lines in a move from Los Angeles to San Francisco and just received my goods earlier today! This is my first review but thought it was worth leaving since most people leave negative comments. They did a great job packing, loading, and delivering everything with no damage and in a very timely manner. The movers were VERY friendly and helpful with where to put everything with utmost care. All in all I was pleased and would use them again for sure.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

International Van Lines handled my move from NY to Miami, back in 2016. I recently had to move again and decided on IVL, simply because the job was well done. I'm no stranger to moving, in fact I had to hire movers on 8 different occasions throughout my life. The crews are great at their job and I never had to deal with issues like damage or hidden charges. I would use them again and again if needed. My sales rep was Justin **.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I hired IVL for a move to Vero Beach, FL. This was a fairly small move, but it was everything I owned. Their movers were on time and packed well. The job got done in about 4 hours with a 3 man crew and they packed everything to perfection. This is the first time working with a moving company, but I am very pleased with the outcome and would use them again if needed.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

After 23 years and a dozen military moves, this was the worst experience we’ve ever had. They were very responsive until they had our household goods on their truck. Their estimate was off by nearly $7000. We were unaware that estimating the cost of moves by cubic feet is a known scam. Only after they had our belongings did we realize that they had not loaded and packed the truck honestly. Also at that time, we realized they had failed to label over half of the boxes. We were told they only label boxes if the customer requests it. The delivery driver apologized profusely and said that was not true. Many pieces of furniture were damaged and we will file claims accordingly.

As of now they have stopped responding or following up as promised. The “customer service” rep that dealt with us was the most unprofessional, rude, obnoxious person I’ve run across in a long while. His sarcastic, snarky replies never aimed to solve a problem or help the customer. His name is Jeremy **. Brian ** was my original contact but we stopped hearing from him once the truck was loaded and the cost went up so high. Run, don’t walk to ANY other moving company.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

IVL is disorganized. I called for an initial quote but then decided to go with another company based on the reviews I had read. I had cancelled with IVL via letter, phone call, and email. Movers showed up and I thought they were from the moving company I decided to go with. When I asked them if they were from Mayfair they shrugged and said yes. The movers loaded their truck and I received a phone call from Mayfair telling me that tomorrow they would be by to pick up my stuff. IVL had just finished packing up my stuff so obviously I was forced to go with IVL. IVL is very frustrated to work with. They damaged 2 of my most expensive items. Their claims department is a joke. They make it so difficult for you to file a claim that I believe it is sham in order to get out of paying for people's damaged goods. I am very frustrated and would never recommend IVLs.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I hired International Van Lines back in August for a move from NY to CA. I did not have a chance to post, but wanted to circle back around to leave some feedback. First and foremost it took me 2 weeks to find a decent moving company. It seems that almost every moving company out there has a bad reputation. IVL was recommended by 3 different consumer websites as being a top ranked mover. I contacted Justin who gave me a good quote and handled all my questions. On the day of the move they sent 4 guys to pack everything for my family. The guys were very professional and did a great job. This was for a 3 bedroom home and took about 7 hours. I received my goods about a week later with no damages, overcharges or issues. They did what they claimed so I am a happy customer and would use them again if needed. Good job guys.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

My move from NY to LA went well. I have no complaints about the move other than a slight delay at destination, but it was fine. All my goods arrived in one piece and I did not pay more than quoted. Movers were on time, professional and packed well. My sales rep was Justin ** and he was very good at walking me through the process. I would use them again. Great job guys!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Verbally abusive, lied, damaged, had 59% hidden charges. As a single woman, have moved 17 times both nationally and internationally. Never experienced this type of nightmare. More stuff broken than not, very abusive and degrading "female" comments. Showed up late by a day, and that day 2 hours late, not responsible for any delay costs, but charged me for 2 hours not there as "overtime".

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

IVL did a good job with my move to Upland, CA. I'm no rookie to working with moving companies so I knew what to look for when choosing a company. The first step is to NOT put your info on various websites. You will get a ton of calls from F rated moving companies that are simply looking to scam you. I seeked out IVL because they are a certified promover with AMSA. They were also mentioned on various 3rd party websites for being a good company. My rep Brian did a great job and made sure everything was handled correctly. My move went smoothly. I had no damages, overcharges or issues. I would use them again.

International Van Lines expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

International Van Lines began in 2007 and is headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, FL. They are one of the most recognized international and national relocation companies in the country.

• Reputable: International Van Lines has a great reputation, with over 3,000 global partners around the world.

• Complete services: The company offers customers a variety of services, from packing items, delivering them, unpacking them and helping with international transitions.

• Auto transport: International also offers auto transport for those who need cars to be moved across the country or to foreign locations.

• International: It's one of the best selections for those who are moving internationally because of the level of experience and foreign partnerships available to customers.

• Corporate: They're also experienced with corporate moves.

• Best for: Corporations, individuals and military families.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
    Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

International Van Lines Company Information