2. Homeowners
Accredited Partner

Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.25/5
Based on 16,955 ratings submitted in the last year

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. We service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (1)

BOTTOM LINE

American Home Shield has decades of experience serving homeowners. While you will pay more for add-on coverage, overall AHS has one of the most comprehensive coverage plans available at a reasonable rate.

PROS

• Customizable coverage available
  • Choose your own service call fee
  • Comprehensive coverage
  • Serves most areas

CONS

• Not available in Alaska
  • Covering pools and spas costs extra

Top American Home Shield Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

I submitted a claim with American Home Shield online and I had the contract process started within an hour. It was very easy. The contractor […] identified the issue and fixed everything within an hour.

We just noticed there was weird water pressure and leaking so we called. The contractor was great. They called right away and got a plumber here the next day and first thing in the morning and then fixed it.

American Home Shield Get a Quote

American Home Shield plans

American Home Shield services are available in five plan options for home warranty coverage:

• Appliances Plan: Covers 10 common home appliances, like refrigerators and dishwashers.
  • Systems Plan: Covers 11 of the biggest home systems, like heating, cooling and electric.
  • Combo Plan: Covers all systems covered in both the Systems and Appliances plans.
  • Build Your Own Plan: Select up to 10 items of your choice from either the systems or appliance list to build a customized plan and get coverage for only what you need.
  • Electronics Plan: AHS offers an Electronics Plan by Asurion® that acts as an extended warranty for the repair or replacement of electronics such as televisions, computers and laptops, smart home products, gaming systems and home theater systems.

American Home Shield coverage

American Home Shield offers coverage for the most common household systems and major appliances. Most homeowners should find coverage for what they need via one of the company’s pre-set plans or by creating their own through the company’s customizable “Build Your Own Plan” option, which is something over home warranty providers do not offer.

Systems covered:

• Air conditioning w/ ductwork
  • Heating w/ ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters

• Pool
  • Spa
  • Well pump
  • Septic pump
  • Guest Unit (less than 750 sq ft.)

American Home Shield cost

On average, American Home Shield costs $60 per month for their most popular “combo” plan. American Home Shield typically bills homeowners monthly. Your total monthly cost will vary depending on which plan and service call fee you select. The trade service call fee is the amount you pay for each service or repair visit. American Home Shield prices are on the higher end of average for the industry, but still pretty comparable overall, especially considering the level of coverage provided.

AHS allows customers to choose a higher trade service call fee in favor of a lower monthly payment. This can be a good choice if you don’t anticipate needing many repairs throughout the year. If you live in an older house where things are more prone to break down, though, you may want to opt for the lowest service call fee. Your monthly fee will be slightly higher, but you should make up the difference by paying the smaller service fee.

PlanService Call FeeAverage Monthly Cost
Appliances$125 per call$34.99 (or $420 per year)
Systems$125 per call$34.99 (or $420 per year)
Combo$125 per call$44.99 (or $540 per year)
Build your own$125 per call$39.99 (or $480 per year)
Prices quoted for Houston, Texas, less applicable sales tax. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing for your location.

American Home Shield’s coverage exclusions

A home warranty is intended to be a safeguard against the normal wear and tear of common home systems and appliances. Home warranties do not cover structural issues, personal belongings or damage caused by natural disasters. Those types of issues are generally covered by homeowners insurance. In addition, American Home Shield’s warranty does not cover routine maintenance, cosmetic defects or system or appliance upgrades.

In some cases, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. For example, garage door openers are covered under the combo plan, but the door and door track assemblies are not.

American Home Shield’s coverage limits

A coverage limit is the maximum dollar amount a home warranty company is willing to pay out per item or per contract term. As a customer, you would be responsible to pay for any amount over the cap. In some cases, if the cost to replace an item is above the cap, the company may offer to provide a cash payout to the customer. You would then be responsible for making up the difference and replacing the item yourself.

ItemAHS coverage limit
AppliancesUp to $3,000 per covered item
Air conditioning and heating unitsNo cap on central AC units or electric heat pumps
PlumbingUp to $1,000 per contract term for slab
Well pumpUp to $1,500 per contract term
All other systemsNo cap specified

American Home Shield claims

Getting your appliances and systems serviced by American Home Shield is a straight-forward process managed through an online portal.

1. Submit a claim via American Home Shield’s online portal.
  2. Choose to pay your service call fee immediately or upon completion of service.
  3. Wait for an assigned technician to reach out to schedule your appointment, generally within 24 hours.
  4. Service call takes place.
  5. Payment is processed via the online portal.

American Home Shield has a 60-day service recall period, meaning if you experience the same issue within that time period or the repair wasn’t successful, they will send another technician to your home to address the issue at no additional fee.

American Home Shield FAQ

Does American Home Shield require a home inspection?
No. American Home Shield does not require a home inspection before beginning a home warranty contract.
How do I cancel American Home Shield?
You can call American Home Shield to cancel your contract at any time. Cancel in the first 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancel at any time after 30 days and receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of your term.
Is there a limit on repairs?
No. There is no limit on the number of repairs during a contract period. However, there may be a dollar amount limit per item or per term. Your contract will have these details.

Is American Home Shield worth it?

Whether or not a home warranty is worth it depends on a few factors, chief among them is how much you use it. A home warranty can easily pay for itself with one major repair. Overall, we find that American Home Shield offers good coverage at a fair rate. With its wide-reaching availability and plan variety, American Home Shield should have a plan to suit most homeowners.

American Home Shield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

The plumber did a wonderful job. He came out to do the kitchen faucet. He also did both of my toilets and my master bedroom shower. I had to recall one of the toilets because it was shooting water out of the side. Had I thought of lifting the tank, I would've realized that one of the little pipes came undone and it was squirting water every time we would flush. It was not the fault of the plumber but he came out and put the little thing back.

Then we ended up having to have him over a total of three times for the master shower because it continuously kept leaking. When he came the first time, he changed what he called the cartridge which is the assembly that goes inside the handle and it kept on leaking. It's that type of handle that it's only one and you move it on either side for hot or cold water. He disassembled it and said he may have put it backwards. It still kept leaking. We had him come out the third time. He said sometimes they get faulty ones and to let him change it out. If it wasn't that, we had an even bigger problem. I was hoping this was gonna be it. He said that if changing it out didn't solve it, then we probably were dealing with the situation of calcification that had already ruined it on the inside which would not be insured by American Home Shield. But the second one did the trick so there is no more problem. But because of COVID, it took a while for him to finish.

I've had American Home Shield since 2008 in previous houses. The amount of surveys that they are sending is new for me and I love that. I also love that they are getting feedback. What I'd like is for them to vet the vendors out a little more - maybe look up the reviews before they choose them. In one month, I had three items go back and it was pricey because it's 75 a pop. My garage door, my AC and the plumbing throughout the house went out. Two out of the three were awful experiences. I speak so highly of the plumber because he kinda restored my faith.

The garage door did that thing where something snapped and the whole door came down. It was super scary because if somebody had been there, they would have died. From the get go, the claim went bad. The contractor called me up and started almost shaming me that he couldn't find the house because the numbers to the house were not on the curb which he was correct about and the one that's on the house itself was being slightly covered by the eaves. But I didn't construct the house. I have no control over that. We hadn't even met each other face to face yet and he was already shaming me on the phone so I didn't appreciate that.

He told me it was my coils and it's not covered by American Home Shield. I thought that was odd. How did he know what I have? I could have had the Basic Plan, the Premier Plan, or the Plus Plan. He said for him to go forward, I needed to pay him $293. I went to my computer real quick, looked up the contract (which by the way American Home Shield makes it so easy to do) and there it was black and white. I was covered for everything. I printed it and brought it over to him. He acted as though he was really researching it and reading it carefully.

Then he said I was covered for one coil but I needed to pay him $75 for the second coil. I said, "Why would I do that?" He said, "Because it's going to snap sooner or later." I asked him, "What you're trying to tell me is in the future, that thing's gonna go?" He said, "Yes. So you can either pay me the $75 now, or you can pay me later when it snaps." I thought I won't pay him ever because it won't be him. I'd prefer to pay American Home Shield another $75 and have whoever comes out that's deserving that $75, not him. I said, "Nope. I can't predict the future. Just please change the one only." He did it in a huff and left.

Since then, just like he said, the second one is squeaking. But I don't care. If and when that happens, I'll call and get the second one replaced but the money won't go to him. I was going to give that company a very bad review and call this person's manager and let them know what kind of customer service he gives and how he speaks to people. If that's the way he speaks to people in general, or is it just females, I'm not sure. I called and he's the flippin owner. I did tell American Home Shield how bad that was but I didn't hear anything from them as though it felt like they swept it under the rug.

The second experience was probably worse than the first one. I have a daughter who has breathing issues through the roof so the last thing she needs is to struggle with getting air or hot air. It was very important for me to get somebody out quickly. It was during one of our heat waves that we were having and the AC was doing that little thing where it would work for two hours then it would turn off, it would work, and it would turn off. I have a good friend who fixes ACs, but he doesn't work for American Home Shield any longer. I told him over the phone what it was doing and what it sounded like. He said to have them check the capacitor. The man came over. I said, "My understanding is that it can be the capacitor." He rolls his eyes at me. I don't know, but it meant like, "Oh, man. Now she's either a, telling me what to do or b already knows, or it's not going to work like I'm planning to do here."

He changed the capacitor. Then, he went to turn it back on and said I'd need to give him $623. I asked why and he said I was completely out of freon that's why it was not cooling down and if I kept using it like that, I'm gonna burn the motor then my insurance won't cover me at all. I thought that was odd. He was only here like 10 minutes. How could he know all of this in 10 minutes? I didn't even see him check the machine. I was texting my friend and he said to ask the contractor to give me the pressure reading. I asked him and he said he couldn't do that anymore. He already took the apparatus off. I said, "If I decide that I'm gonna need freon and I ask you guys to come back, how long do I have?" He said, "You have 30 days. But meanwhile, don't use your machine at all because you'll burn it."

He started to leave and I said, "Wait, wait, wait. Wait a minute. Aren't you gonna give me a receipt?" He gave me this look like I had just insulted his mother. He said, "You want a receipt? I have to give you receipt?" I said, "Yes, of course you do. How will I know? How will I have proof of what you did here today?" He practically threw the old piece that he replaced. He said, "Here. Here's your old one." He got really huffy with me. He went to his truck, wrote out this receipt and gave it to me.

I had my friend come over and he checked it. He said there was nothing wrong with my freon. It was my blower motor. He told me to call American Home Shield back, tell them that I want somebody else, explain to them that I had a medical emergency and that I already know what I need. I called American Home Shield, explained what happened with the first guy and asked them not to send me that guy. They gave me an emergency company that came out. They called me at least the very next day and I explained. The lady said, "We're two weeks out because of the heatwave that we're having and because of COVID. You'll need to pay $50 as an emergency fee." I went and did it. It's better than to go to the emergency room with my daughter.

The second guy was so awesome. He made sure that he had the part on his truck before he came out. The guy not only fixed it but he completely made sure that everything was running smooth. I explained my medical need so he double-checked everything. He made it run. He stayed there for like 15 minutes to make sure nothing was going to turn off. It was great experience. I'm an example of a really good experience and two very bad ones and American Home Shield made right on the bad experiences.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for your loyalty. Taking care of our customers is the main goal here at AHS. We are working diligently to improve the overall customer experience and we look forward to our continued business together. Have a great day.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I normally call American Home Shield on the phone instead of trying to do it online because I wanna be able to explain what's going on. I'll get a text or an email that says my contractor has been assigned, which normally takes a couple of hours. It's fast and it’ not a long process. The contractors have all been very good and I've not had an issue with any of them. I've learned to try to take a video of stuff acting up because if it doesn't act up in front of them, they can't diagnose to fix anything.

I called AHS for my electrical and the contractor came out. They were able to repair some electrical sockets that were not getting power in my kitchen but they couldn’t fix the ceiling fan. While it is on, it starts spinning faster than you turned it on to spin and the light sometimes just goes out. For them to fix it, it had to do it while they’re here. I didn't call AHS back because all they're gonna tell me is I’ve got 60 days and if the problem exists, then I can call back and have the contractor come back out and service it. I have to actually get a video of it doing it.

I have a slide-in range and I didn’t realize that the control panel on it had a glass top. I dropped something in the kitchen not knowing that it hit the stove but it shattered the glass. The part had to be replaced so they called it into a company to get the part. The guy told me upfront that it was gonna take about two weeks to get it. I was cool with that. Two weeks came and the part didn't come. So, I reached out and I asked to be updated on getting the part. So he sent me a screenshot of the order. The contractor was trying to stay on top of it and told me that it was gonna be in the following week. This was the first week of August and so at this point, I've been without a stove for three weeks.

I waited and it was supposed to come in the following week. It didn't show up and I called them back. He asked me not to get mad. Now, they're saying it may be in by 20th, which will be six weeks with me without a range to cook. The contractor said he was going to engage American Home Shield to try to see if they could find the part. It's a Whirlpool part and Whirlpool is right here in Michigan. They're in the same state. So, I was trying to figure out from AHS what my options were because at that point, I was ready for them to escalate my case. It got to the point where I had googled the owners and the actual company that is the parent company, which is called Front Door and I was gonna take it to them. It was bad. There's a woman named Doris and she wanted to tell me everything I already knew such that the part was ordered by the contractor and that the part didn't come. It has been five weeks.

AHS does nothing but get on my nerves. The escalation department, which took me a three-hour phone call to get on, told me he was gonna escalate it. He gave me a phone number to call on Monday, because this was on a Saturday, to get my options for purchasing a new range or getting a cash out. I called that number on Monday and it was a bogus number. He put in my file that the customer has to just wait until the part arrives. It was a very extreme amount of time and the week is going by. There was this one woman who was the only one who told me the truth. She said that they finally found the part and they've ordered it. That happened Saturday while I was on the phone three hours and they couldn't tell me the part was ordered then.

The rep said it would come maybe by the 29th of August. August just went down. I said that I didn’t want the maybe. I couldn't feed my family and I couldn't afford to keep buying food from restaurants. It was unacceptable. I understood that there was nothing she could do and she couldn’t even get me to a supervisor. It got to the point that I had to call back to the contractors because they're really and truly, the only person that could help or the one that has to say that they couldn't fix this range. Because if he would say that it was null and void, and they couldn’t fix it, then AHS would have to replace it.

I called Lucas appliances on Monday and I told the guy I needed him to do x, y and z. He said that my part came on Sunday. He had been ordering it since July 17th and he finally cancelled it because he figured American Home Shield would either get it or they would get my range over again. It's a $2,000 range. Whirlpool, Lowe's and Home Depot don't have it so I would have had to get a range from a different company, which was not my preference. I would have maybe been in a trip back to have to wait for them to ship one to me. Because of COVID-19, the whole supply chain is jacked up right now. You can't even find stuff.

The guy said he would check his truck because he brought the part thinking it was for the house that he was at and it was not the part. He thought it was mine. They went on and still sent it to him. So that part took six weeks to get somewhere. It happened to be the part and he called me about 30 minutes later, which he said it would be. He said he was gonna come to me right then and he did. He fixed my stove. I thank him for still calling me back because I was still so livid that they gave me the runaround, they lied to me blatantly, gave me incorrect information, and had no compassion for the fact that I had not had a range. I was done. I filled out the paper where I wrote down the CEO of Front Door.

I'm working from home and I'm finding stuff that are broken. We put in new shower heads in both of my bathrooms but they were leaking. It won't stop. I called AHS and the contractor was able to fix the back bathroom. After two visits and me videotaping it actually leaking, they finally came back out. They had to order a part and fix it.

My main shower has the same showerhead and I finally got a video of it. I take a shower in the morning and sometimes like this time of day. I would hear a water trickling from it. I finally got a picture of it doing that and a picture of the puddle on the bottom of the tile where it's wet. I went online and said that I wanted to reopen it because it's within 60 days. They need to put a diverter in. When I talked to AHS on the phone, I told them what the problem was. They put it in as a leaky faucet. But Home Service Corp who was supposed to come out to do the second fix is saying they couldn’t come out if it was not a faucet. The other one wasn't a faucet and it was in their record what they fix. So now, I'm waiting.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

The AC stopped cooling and it was an issue that could not be fixed when it was leaking. Even though the technician put some Freon in there to hold things off until the unit got replaced, it was still leaking out and it froze the evaporator. American Home Shield sent SN Heating & Cooling and I didn't have trouble with them. They were great and amazing but I had an issue with my refrigerator. I had a technician here in July because all of a sudden, something was leaking underneath. It got into a situation where he said that it was not leaking from the front but he didn’t know where it was leaking. We had the fridge pulled out and after he was trying to check things in the front, he pulled out my crisper and checked it to see if it was leaking there. I said that it was not leaking from there and it's not dripping from inside to go on the outside because you would be able to see that flow.

When he went to pop the crisper back in, he was moving it around and trying to get it to get into the slider, and he was very nasty about it. I told him that he had to be a little careful because he would break the sides. I told him to let me put it in and so, I did. But he was not happy about things. He told me to let him decide what was wrong with the refrigerator. The guy was back there and he was taking the back off the bottom of the fridge and I asked about the water down there on the bottom. There was something in there that’s gotta be leaking. He said to let him decide. It was not a problem but he was getting nasty with me.

A refrigerator has a plastic tubing that gets attached with a nut and then, it's the copper tubing that goes to the sink. All of a sudden, he asked us to turn the water on. As he was holding the tube, he said it was leaking. My husband checked that last night because that was one of the first things that we checked and it was not leaking. He said, “Well, it's leaking now.” I said that it wasn’t leaking last night and that there’s got to be something else that’s got to be doing this. I told him that where it was leaking was right at the lug nut. The plastic had a cut in it and it looked like a clean slice. I told him that it was not a problem to fix it then. He said that he couldn’t do it. It was a plumber’s job and that it was not part of the refrigerator. I said that when you buy the refrigerator, that plastic tubing is attached to the refrigerator. The plumber’s job is to attach the copper tubing with a little nut to attach it to this plastic piece.

He still said it was a plumber’s job and I asked him if he was not going to fix it. He said it was not his job. I asked him if he had parts to do it. He told me not to tell him how to do his job. I was just asking him if he didn’t have parts for simple fixes like that. If my husband saw that this was broken and if that was what was leaking, my husband could have fixed that himself. But it wasn't that and something else was leaking somewhere.

We didn't see what he was doing back there. Firstly, my husband didn’t see him slice it because he didn't know what to do with how to find the other thing that was leaking. The tech got argumentative with me. My husband came out from where he was and he said that he would appreciate if he didn't talk to me like that. The tech said that we were trying to just get this resolved and that thing needed a plumber to work on it. My husband said that when we got that refrigerator, that tubing was already attached and he replied that all we got to do was cut it and then put it on the lug nut there. I asked him if he couldn’t do that. I paid American Home Shield a hundred bucks to do this. He said it wasn’t his job and he got argumentative with my husband.

Meanwhile, I was waiting for American Home Shield to come on the phone. I was on the phone with Sears because I didn't like his attitude, the way he was talking to me, and all of a sudden now he’s trying to say it's not his job. I said that I was gonna get Sears on the phone right now and he said he didn’t care who I call. I could call whoever I want. It was starting to get to the point where my husband was saying that it would be best for him to get out of our house and he told me to call the police. This guy was getting to my husband’s face and I thought there was gonna be a physical altercation in my kitchen. The guy grabbed the stuff very nastily. I asked him his name and said Mr. Band Aid. I told him that I didn’t think that was his name and that he didn’t have to have an attitude like that.

Sears came back on the phone with me and I told them what was going on. They apologized and said that they would send another person. I told them that the guy said it was not his job and it was up to a plumber to do the job. They said no and the technician said there was no reason why. I said that I've got American Home Shield on the phone and that if this was an issue last night, I would have had it resolved last night. I didn't need to have a plumber to do this. This guy should do it. We paid them $100. I was on the phone with all afternoon between Sears and American Home Shield. Sears told me that he filled out the paperwork and said there was not a charge. That was because he knew what he did was unprofessional.

Within half an hour, I get an email with the invoice that says there was a charge of 129 but then underneath it, it said there was no fee. I didn't know what that meant because it said “Money Due by the person.” It said 0, because it showed, “Labor 129” but I've already paid $100 to American Home Shield. They paid them where the guy told me that there was no fee and they were not charging me. I've been going back and forth and I’ve called American Home Shield five times now. Every time I call them on the phone, they said that they were gonna get Sears on the phone because the technician never called them to give them any paperwork.

I asked why they still paid Sears if the technician didn’t give them paperwork. They told me that I should probably get the $100 back from Sears. I asked why I should get the $100 back from them. I didn't pay them. I paid American Home Shield and they owe me the $100 as far as I’m concerned. They paid Sears when they shouldn't have especially before the job was even considered complete. They said it was completed and I said it never was. He didn't do anything and there was still a holdup. I ended up getting someone else to fix that.

Every time I'm on the phone, AHS was on the phone with Sears. I'm on hold, waiting for them to come back. And after a good 20 minutes, maybe longer, the phone gets disconnected. They're supposedly talking to Sears. The last person I spoke to last week said that he was still on the phone with Sears. I told him to put me back on hold. After coming back twice, I was still on hold. The rep was trying to talk to Sears and I said that the other person was supposed to do that three weeks ago. The other person before that was supposed to do that weeks ago but I never got a call back from American Home Shield to say that there’s a resolution now.

I was told in the beginning that if the guy doesn't turn in his paperwork, there's a problem there. I have not gotten back my $100 and I disputed on my credit card. I'll let my credit card companies deal with it and dispute it with American Home Shield to get me back my $100 because the service was not done. Sears said they will send someone else out but no. Sears is not walking in my door after that. That guy was very rude and unprofessional. AHS asked if we had someone else do it. I said my husband ended up fixing it. We had to pay money to fix it.

A month and a half ago, I recommended AHS to my sister- in-law who opened up an application with them. But I would not recommend them now. I'm just very disappointed. At this point, AHS needs to call me. When the call gets disconnected when I'm on hold, they do not call back. They have my phone number. I work in Customer Service and whenever a call gets disconnected, we call them back because we have their number.

No one wants to deal with it because they don't know what they're doing at this point. It's very rude that I've had to deal with five different people. I've had phone calls upon phone calls and hours on the phone with them. I've given them a whole month before I turned around and put a dispute in my credit card.

I’m still waiting for a response as to what's going on with the service that happened in July. They were at my house July 17th and still no resolution, which is downright wrong. They’ve got phone calls and records of me calling them. American Home Shield kept telling me that they would call me and get some information from me. They're not calling. They are calling for something totally different.

Original review: July 15, 2020

For an AC service call, American Home Shield gave me A-US Air Conditioning of Texas and I really disliked them. I went through them before because towards the end of June, my air went out. That time, I had a guy named JT and he came out. He serviced and fixed the unit. He said it was a wire that was out. But last week, I got home and I went to cut the thermostat down. Water started coming to my toes. What JT fixed was on the outside of the house. I don't know if that’s the AC unit as well, but it's one on the inside of my garage that the vents go through the home. Water was leaking from there. I didn't get to call because it was so late. I went online and put the work order in with American Home Shield.

The next morning, I got a call from the same girl who called me the last time. She left a message and I called back. She told me that a tech would get back with me by Saturday and that she was gonna set the appointment for Sunday. She recommended that I actually cut the AC off. But it was extremely hot and it was kinda difficult to keep my air off the entire day. We were able to do it off and on as much as I could because I have a child at home. On Friday, I called American Home Shield because I wanted to let them know that I placed an order online. Normally, I call in and do it. When I called, the guy that I talked to said that he was going to do something to where I wouldn't have to pay the service fee again since it would be notated as a recall and not something new because a contractor came out before.

When he did that, I got a phone call on Saturday from another guy at the AC company. He called me and said he had an appointment for me. He said he had two work orders. I explained to him that the guy had said that he was trying to notate my account to where I wouldn't have to pay the extra fee. He told me that it would come up like that so I told him that it should only be one work order. The guy told me that he would still keep me down for Sunday and that somebody would contact me later on Saturday. Cool, everything was okay. But I never heard back from anybody. Sunday comes around and this the spot with the water had grown tremendously big in my home. I had to take the vent off and stick a bowl because I didn't know what to do.

When I called Sunday, the contractor was closed so I called American Home Shield and informed them of what was going on. The person that I talked to said they were gonna do the emergency line. She was able to call the contractor and get through. The guy said that a tech would be calling me 30 minutes before they arrived. I told the lady, the servicing went the same way it went last time. When they told me a tech was gonna call me, a tech didn't. I told her nobody was gonna call me today because they didn't call me Saturday to confirm a time that they would be at my home on Sunday. But this water was like everywhere so I was just trying to figure out what to do.

The lady gave me a number to call. I called and this time, I got a name. The guy that I spoke to was Angel. In the very beginning, Angel was okay with his tone and everything was professional. I expressed my frustration to him then he came out and told me that all he is is just an emergency call person and that he doesn't have the system in front of him. But he was going to reach out to speak to a supervisor. He would call me back within 10 to 15 minutes. This was a little bit before 2 o'clock. 3 o'clock came and I still haven't heard from him so I called back. I expressed to him who I was and my frustration. He was like, "Well, a tech did come out to your home."

First, he stated that he couldn't get into the system and couldn't see anything then he stated that he was reading a tech note. He said, "You're in Forney, right?" to which I replied, "No, I'm going to Dallas." He said the guy notated in his system that he came to my home, he put Freon in my air conditioner, and he charged me $144 to do it. At this time, my frustration was out of control and this guy was frustrated too. Both of us were very unprofessional. I told Angel that if he could see what the guy put in there, then he should be able to see that when JT came to my home, I didn't pay him anything. Why then would I give the other guy something?

I added, "Then you tell me he put Freon in my air as if it's not cooling. Why would he put a liquid when my air conditioner is already leaking liquid? That would make no sense." I said the guy was lying and that he didn't come to my house. Angel went back and forth with me and insisted that the guy said he came to my house. I told Angel that I would not pay the guy any money when American Home Shield takes money from me on a monthly basis for service. This was not making any sense to me. Angel finally said that when the guy calls him back, then that was when he would let me know. That was how bad it got.

I called American Home Shield. I even tried to go online to set up a new appointment. I was willing to pay the $75 fee because I stressed to them that I didn't want those people out in my home. I was so frustrated I couldn't get any phone call on Saturday and I was still thinking somebody was gonna come to my home on Sunday. I asked Angel who the tech that said they came out and he said it was Thomas. When I called American Home Shield, it was a complaint because I told them, "I want you to give me somebody new to go through because this guy's lying, saying he was at my house and he wasn't." The guy ended up texting me while I was on the phone with American Home Shield. He said that he could come to my house in the morning between 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock.

I texted him back and I said that was fine and that I would be at home. I told him this was really irritating me. I said, "The guy, Angel, told me that you said that you came to my house, put Freon in there and charge me $144, which you and I both know that's not true. If you're coming to my home tomorrow, I need you to uphold your end of the bargain." He never responded.

He texted me that morning and said that he would be within my house within 30 minutes. I was getting up and he turned around and he texted back, "If you don't respond, then you're gonna have to call them." I responded and told him that I was at home. He actually showed up at my house a little bit after 7:00. It wasn't between the 8:00 and 10:00 window. He fixed the unit. Because I was so frustrated, I didn't take my anger out on him. But it was the same guy, Thomas. I was really tempted to ask him why he made that comment in my file and lie about it when he didn't come to my house but I let it go.

I had to pay to get a carpet cleaning company to come out to suck up all the water that was in there. I had to go back in and suck the water that was up at my house up in the vent. It was just hectic. After all of that weekend stuff, I was okay come Monday. But it was just so unprofessional to me and I even went back as Angel was asking me who I talked to. That was another thing. Even on the messages that they left, they never left the name. It was like, "This is American Home Shield, give me a call..." It wasn't like, "This is Madilyn, calling with American Home Shield." I couldn't get anybody's name. Even when I talked to the people, all I could remember were their voices. When Angel asked me who I spoke to, I told him it was the same girl I spoke with last time.

I just really couldn't remember her name because I didn't even ask. She was talking so quickly when she answered when I first had my service with them. That was what I was explaining to American Home Shield. The procedures that they went through the first time was not the same. The first time when JT came out, I got a phone call the next day like the rep said. He scheduled a time and he texted me the time. I didn't have any issues. But this time around, it was so frustrating. I don't know if American Home Shield records their phone calls, but I told the last lady I spoke with, "I didn't wanna take my frustration out on you because it's not for you. It's for them because they are the ones lying, saying that they came to my house." I then started receiving all of these text messages from American Home Shield that my stuff was completed.

But it wasn't American Home Shield's fault. It was really the contractor's fault. I don't know what American Home Shield was able to see like if they were able to see that the contractor was coming. I called three times and I held so long. One of the ladies that I talked to was telling me that they had one in there and cancelled the order. She didn't know where that was coming from. She said it wasn't American Home Shield cancelling it. It was the contractor. I was going back and forth with the lady and it was irritating.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing that feedback. Although we hope there are no issues with anything in the home in the future, we are here to service you anytime you need us. Thanks for continuing your business with us. Take care!

Original review: June 23, 2020

The air condition in the upstairs of my house was put in in July of 2018, but we've constantly had an issue with it. The unit is in a closet right above my kitchen and it has a PVC line that goes from the pan that catches all the condensation from our AC and goes into the sewer system. We have a device that the AC people had put on those pipes. If the line would ever get clogged up, it automatically shuts off our air condition, so that it doesn't continue to overflow the pan and keep coming down to the kitchen. Each year or twice a year, whenever it's really hot or it's raining a whole lot, the air condition pan would leak into the ceiling of our kitchen.

I've already fixed the ceiling twice and every time we call, we have an air condition man come out, which was never L & W (the company that installed the air condition to begin with). Whenever they would come out, they'd mess with the PVC pipes. The last person that had been here was a very nice man from Lanier Air Condition and Heating. He said he didn't how they had the drain line hooked up there and that something was not right with it. He adjusted it and blew it out to make sure that it was clear. The Thursday before Memorial Day weekend, my air conditioner started leaking into my kitchen again. To me, it seemed that the plumbing must've been backed up but what was happening was that the device that was supposed to automatically shut off our air condition didn't stop it.

I went to the cleanout that's closest to my house, and when I opened that up, I saw that the water was clogged up all the way to the top. It wasn't draining, so we turned off the air condition manually and then I put in a call to American Home Shield saying that I had a stoppage. Strong River came out really quickly on Friday and the man that came, Mr. **, told me that he didn't know why my air condition was leaking. It was supposed to be Strong River Air Condition, AC and Heating, so I was under the impression that they were not only plumbers but they were AC people also. To me, it wasn't like my air condition was malfunctioning. I was thinking it was all part of this blocked sewer line.

When they started checking things out, they realized that the second cleanout was clogged up. It's near my property line that hooks the sewer line into the city sewage. We needed to get the city to come and use their Roto-Rooter thing or whatever they've got on a big truck to clean out the line that enters my sewer line into the city sewer line. With the pandemic and everything, the city was already closed. It was after 12 o'clock and nobody was going to be there on the weekend or on Monday. On Tuesday morning, after I had left several messages, I just went to our city hall and told them I was having this issue. They said that the machine that they use to clean that out was broken and they didn't know when the part was coming in to fix it.

There wasn't anything Strong River could do to help me until the city sewer line was unclogged. The city did come out though and just used what they call a rod. It wasn't going to cure the problem, but it was going to help alleviate some of the water in the sewer line. Finally, a week or so later, the city got the machine fixed, and they came out and cleared the line. Everything was cleared, but then the air condition kept leaking. The water was leaking down the wall and we had to put a bucket in the return air and keep throwing the water out to be able to use the unit upstairs because that's where all our bedrooms are. It was a frustrating thing.

Mr. ** told me to call him once the city had unclogged the line, so he could come and recheck the plumbing to make sure I didn't have any other stoppages and that granted all my toilets were flushing okay and the tubs were draining all right. I wasn't having any problems with that. It was just the air condition kept leaking. I called him on that Monday after the city had gotten the line free and he said he was going out of town the following day. He could be here on Wednesday instead. I said that it would be fine and that since we've been dealing with it all this time, we would just keep the bucket.

On Tuesday however, I decided to call American Home Shield and open up a ticket on the air condition. Because if this doesn't have anything to do with the stopped up plumbing issue, there has to be something wrong with the air condition. When I told American Home Shield about the situation I was in, the person who was taking my service call over the phone was very nice. He understood what I was telling him and got everything going. I told him that I wanted Strong River to be the service people to come back out on the air condition since they've been here, and they knew what was going on with my problem. The next thing I knew was I was getting a call from Chuck with the Lanier Air Condition place.

He told me he has been to my house before and he knew what I was talking about with the air condition line, so I said maybe AHS just decided to send him instead because he has been here the last time. To make a long story short, Strong River never came back because the plumbing was clear. The guy from Lanier came and he started checking everything out. As he looked further into what was going on with the air condition, he realized that the air condition and furnace had never been installed properly on the platform. It was leaning towards the right rear and the water was then running to that side of the pan and it was leaking down the wall, in the inside of the return air.

That was why it wasn't even getting water into the drain line, so I could shut the air condition down if it started leaking. It was ridiculous. This has been going on now since they put in the new air condition in 2018 and we kept blaming it on the plumbing. He told me he could fix it for me, but he had to call it in to American Home Shield and let them know what was going on. When he called them in, they said that this was not on under any kind of guarantee because this air condition was installed two years ago. The installation problem is not American Home Shield's fault or under their guarantee.

It was so unfair. How was a layperson supposed to know that their air condition unit wasn't installed properly by the company that got sent out by American Home Shield? They have also never been the company that was called back here whenever I complained that the air condition was dripping into my kitchen. After I got a phone call from somebody from American Home Shield, I explained this whole story to that person. She said she would see what she could do and she'll get back with me. I think she was trying to get in touch with the people that installed the new air condition unit, but nobody ever called me back.

I gave them four days to get back with me and when I didn't hear from anybody, over a weekend again, I asked Chuck how much he was going to charge to fix this thing. He told me he was only charging $162 and he said he had to get it lifted up and fix the platform level. I've paid $100 every time an air condition man has come out here only to not ever fix what was really wrong with it, so I told him we would just pay for it. I wrote Chuck a check which was 173.34 and he fixed the platform, plus a big gap on the right hand side next to the wall where the platform wasn't closed up all the way. All this time, for the last two years, it has been sucking air from our attic, which causes more condensation when it's really hot, so we kept getting this leaking coming down our ceiling in the kitchen.

When Chuck was leaving, he said American Home Shield was not letting him complete the job. I said, maybe they still got the ticket open because they're trying to get L & W to pay for it. The guy that comes isn't always the person or the subcompany that's going clear the problem. Strong River had a separate plumber that was going to come here and do the plumbing. Lanier Heat and Air Condition does what they say they do and Chuck comes out and works on air conditioners. Now, L & W was another one of those things. The man that owns it had a cousin or a nephew who came to install the air condition. That guy never came and looked to see if everything was okay.

The sad part about it was when the air condition was installed, we also paid $1,000 to put a new furnace at the same time. The air condition was going out and the furnace was just as old and we figured to just pay that ourselves. When they were finished installing it, they turned it on and had it running. It was noisy, but everything seemed to be fine. However, the guy wasn't out here 20 minutes when it started leaking into our kitchen. I had his cell phone number, so I hurried up and called him back. He turned around, came back, messed with the drain line and put the safety thing back on it. We figured it was fixed, so every other time that the air conditioner leaked down into the kitchen, we've always blamed it on the plumbing.

We never thought the air condition was not installed properly, but that was evidently the problem. It has been a little nightmare, but I'm happy that they found what the right problem has been all along. This was after three different air condition companies have been here and never figuring out the problem until this last time, when Chuck looked at it again. I can't blame him for coming this time and finally realizing what was wrong, but the claim was all the way back for two years ago and money has just been flying out the window. I've paid the $100 service charge for the plumbing being backed up when it wasn't even my fault as well. It was the city's fault with their cleanout.

Also, I kept thinking that the safety feature device that was supposed to turn my air condition off if my plumbing was ever backed up again never worked, but it never was going to work because my line wasn't clogged up. That device was put in when our air conditioning was leaking down into my kitchen really bad one time. I knew it was going to take a few days before we got anybody from American Home Shield who would come and work on the air condition, so I paid a local company not contracted with AHS. The man that came flushed out my unit because at the same time my plumbing was backed up. He flushed that drain line then he started me out with that safety feature on it.

Every house that we've ever had, we've had American Home Shield as our warranty. I'm used to all the phone calls, the holding and all that sort of thing, but I don't think we should have had to pay for this. I've been a customer of American Home Shield for over 30 years and most of the time, it's satisfactory. It takes a little battling sometimes though. I've had a bad situation with the stove in my kitchen and that went on forever. That was when Sears used to do the claims and I've had issues with them when they came here. A man had come out for our stove, because the oven wasn't coming on.

He diagnosed it as being a bad thermostat and when checking on the part, he said that it was no longer available. He then charged American Home Shield $190 something for doing absolutely nothing. I knew a lot about kitchen appliances because I worked for 15 years for my dad's service company and after looking online to see if I could find a replacement part, I found that there was a replacement for the thermostat. I went and bought it myself, but then the guy from Sears refused to install it because it wasn't their part. I have a $5,000 JennAir 48-inch range with the six burners and double ovens. With the part not being available, American Home Shield was only going to give me 600 to buy a new gas range.

The new gas range to put in the place of the one that I have now costs about $8,000. I ended up getting a whole other company, Stringer, to come and diagnose the unit. The issue ended up being the igniter was gone and not the thermostat. Also, the igniter that had been replaced on my stove by a prior Sears serviceman was not the right voltage to begin with. That was why my oven took forever to pre-heat and it finally went out. Stringer replaced it with the correct part, so my $5,000 stove is just working fine. However, I paid $400 for a thermostat which my stove didn't need. It also took so long trying to get somebody to install it for me that when I wanted to return it, I had to do a restocking fee.

The claim went on for at least a month. Did I have problems? Yup, I had problems with that, but I have my stove and I didn't have to spend $7,000 to replace what I had already. I was just out a few hundred dollars because American Home Shield ended up paying for the bill, which wasn't bad at all. With another claim, I think that the igniter was out on my dryer and I don't think it was the motor, but that same man from Sears condemned my dryer, which caused us to have to go buy a new one and you only get a certain amount of money to replace the dryer. We then had to chip in the balance of it as well. All in all, American Home Shield tries to rectify and keep customers happy, but with some of the things that have happened, I'm not completely satisfied.

I stay with American Home Shield because I live in an antebellum home. We have renovated it and put all new appliances in 11 years ago, but it's still an old house and things go out. My husband and I are into our late 60s now and I don't work anymore. He still works, but we don't have available funds to be able to have to replace a dishwasher, a stove or other different appliances like that, especially the air condition. We have a large air condition unit for the downstairs in our house (the upstairs unit was the one that we have had the issues with the leaking), and they have replaced it twice. If we would have had to pay for that air condition unit out of pocket, I'd much rather pay $600 as an insurance policy. We're also not that handy. There are a lot of things that might go wrong here and we need somebody to come and help us repair it.

Theresa,

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

My call to American Home Shield was answered quickly. The issue I had was fixed quickly and so I went with them. More recently, washing machine stopped. AHS sent Premier Appliance Repair out and the tech from there said that the issue was with the main circuit board which would have to be ordered. He said that it would take two to three weeks because of COVID issues. Still he explained everything and he was very good. When he came back, he explained what he had to do. He ran our washing machine through test cycles because his company doesn't want to come back and have to fix something twice He said that they would rather the consumer be happy.

Other people should not buy an extended warranty through stores like Best Buy. They should just let their warranty run out and have American Home Shield take over. Their warranty is like a golden policy for my house. Everything is covered. This is great to have for peace of mind especially these days 'cause there are so many electronic items in one's house. I would recommend AHS to anybody who asks. If they say they're gonna have warranty issues, I would say that I've had AHS and I've had no problems with them at all.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

AHS has extremely poor customer service. Phone Wait times are ridiculous. Service Reps disconnects call without notice. Requires you start login all over again each time.. Dishwasher repair service request entered in April 2020. It's Sept 2020 and still not repaired after 5 attempts. Contractor apparently frustrated with AHS and submitted that my service work was completed when it actually was not just to get their pay.. I am a longtime AHS customer who is cancelling my warranty contract. My dishwasher remains disassembled as we wait for contract repair person to return to finish the job. Buyers beware!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

The strangest thing was happening with my garage door. It was opening by itself but it wouldn't open or close when I wanted it to. It was crazy. It was in the house when I have bought the house and I've been here for 11 years now. I don't know how long these things are expected to last. Mr. Fix It came and their tech said something wasn't talking to the other. They sent the order in that same day that the mechanics of the door needed to be replaced. Before I could even call American Home Shield and to ask if the guy told them about the thing that needed to be replaced, the guy was calling me trying to see the time to come out and install it. I was like, "Whoa, you just left here, dude."

In a matter of a day or so, Mr Fix It was back and the thing was installed. They were very professional and respectful. But they left their ladder and I texted them about it. The man said he already cleared the area but he would be back in the area on a particular day. I told him to give me a text or a call and let me know. They did that and when they let me know they were pulling in, I opened the garage, he grabbed his ladder and I closed the garage back down and thanked them. I told him to have a good day. I have no problem with Mr. Fix It and I will recommend them to anybody to do anything. It was just two guys but they were very nice.

After the service, the garage door has been working okay. The only problem that I'm having at this point and I'm not sure why that is so is every time I open or close the garage door or I put my car in, sheetrock is falling down on my car. I thought perhaps it was from initially doing the work. When Mr. Fix It left, I didn't have any expectations of that happening. It's not like I as told to expect it either until the motor gets adjusted in the groove. But it's still happening and it's not like it's a little bit. It's beginning to get concerning and I'm not sure what else can be done. The ceiling in my garage is popcorn. I'm hoping that it doesn't get worse. Eventually, I'm sure it'll kinda wear itself in there and it'll get used to that thing being opened and closed.

Other than that, the company that I dealt with was the best. As a matter of fact, I've reached out to their guy since just to see if he does a certain type of work because I needed something else done. He told me he would do it if I already have the existing electricity. But if not, it was not something that he could do. But I got me some Fix It people for real because I'm gonna keep running it by him first. I've dealt with them and I like how they do business. That's why for any little small thing around the house that they can do, I'm gonna throw it to them first because they've already been to my home. I like how they were when they were at my home and I would rather deal with them first as opposed to going to HomeAdvisor. New stuff like that is a crapshoot. You don't know what you're gonna get. You got to hope that they're as nice as Mr. Fix It.

Hi Latwi,

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

There was water leaking from the AC unit. The first company came and they fixed something. I was told that the system was old. The company cleaned up a few things inside and that was it. The problem appeared to be fixed at that time but it appeared again after about a month. Then the second one came and they fixed it again. It was the same issue but two different companies came in to fix it. There should be a way to have the same company to come again because they knew the problem. Other than that, I'm pretty satisfied with American Home Shield. I just had to call them and everything was smooth.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

We were in California before and we had American Home Shield there for two years. We had them in Colorado for a couple of years too. We moved here to Potomac in February and we also have the warranty. Aside from AHS, we used another company also and I was very dissatisfied with them. I found AHS to be more prompt in managing things. They were prompt in getting someone out there when the chain on our garage door wouldn't work. It wouldn't go up or down and the chain had disintegrated. The guy from 495 Garage Door took care of it very nicely and we never had any problems. We were very pleased with that experience.

Sometimes there is a bit of a breakdown in AHS' claim process. We have an ongoing claim with our refrigerator where they've been trying to figure out what's wrong with the freezer and that's been going on since March. They send somebody out and they think it's fixed then they have to come back. I know it's complicated with the Coronavirus. It also depends on the size of the company that's doing the work like if it's a smaller one and they don't have as much availability. But we're still working at that. Hopefully, it'll be resolved in the next couple of weeks. They've ordered another part and we'll see if that does the job.

For people considering warranty options, try and make sure you will get what's covered. The deductible is pretty much the same with all the companies depending on how large your house is. We have a $100 deductible. With these companies, AHS is probably better. In trying to contact someone, they wanna steer everybody to doing that on the internet, but sometimes you wish that there is a number that you could call in directly when you're trying to report an issue and talk to someone and it wouldn't be outsourced.

American Home Shield Company Information