Call toll free
4.26/5
Based on 9,289 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. We service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (1)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

26734 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 17, 2018

My refrigerator got noisy, so I called and a technician came to make a report. No action was taken. Refrigerator is now really noisy, and conversation is not possible in the kitchen, so I called again. Technician came out, said he made a report, and no action was taken. I called the company just now and they say they don't have the latest report, which is odd. But I did find out some good info on the phone: AHS will not take action unless the refrigerator actually stops cooling, so the noise that I'm reporting is not really relevant.

I wish that I knew this before, as a technician visit is $75. The contract does say that action will be taken if there is a "mechanical issue". In my mind the noise indicates a... well, mechanical issue, but as I said above, the company has a different idea which means that I need to get an old fashioned cooler ready to store food when the fridge actually stops working. Since I was ignorant of this fine point, I thought I would point it here to help other folks understand.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 17, 2018

American Home Shield sent Sears to look at my stove and they were very thorough and professional. They fixed my stove in a decent amount of time so I was impressed. It was perfect.

Original review: July 17, 2018

A sump pump that's underneath my house and crawl space wouldn't turn off, so I called in a claim for that with American Home Shield. Their reps were really polite and told me that they’d get it taken care of and that the contractor will be calling me shortly and they did. A field representative was sent and he took a look at the sump pump, then came back the next day to replace it. He was very knowledgeable about everything that was going on. I felt bad for him though because he had to crawl on his belly to get through my crawl space. But he had everything he needed to crawl through the crawl space. Since the repair, the sump pump is working and a lot quieter as well. Before, it would come on and I could hear it throughout almost my whole house.

I've been with a couple of different home warranties. They would sign me up for something, then they send their representative down and they would tell me that this isn't covered. They would say that if I want something on the policy, I would have to add this much more to my premium. It’s ridiculous. On the other hand, everything has been what AHS has said so far. Their service call fees are still a little high though. Their service calls are $100 and their premium is a little higher than what my mom is paying on the warranty for her house. My mom’s company’s service calls are $50. But I went with American Home Shield because my mom's company wanted the first year's payment upfront, which was about $500 and I didn't have that.

Good morning Annette,

It was a pleasure to read your review and the thorough feedback regarding your experience with American Home Shield. I am glad to hear about the repairs that were completed in a timely manner as well as the knowledgeable contractor who serviced your home.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Water was leaking into my storage building so I went to American Home Shield's website and submitted an online request. They sent me a text message which said that I would be contacted in 24 hours but I called back and told them that there were three inches of water in my storage building and that I needed faster service than that. So they got me in touch with Boss Plumbing and someone came out less than three hours later.

The guy was very nice and as soon as he arrived, he saw that it was a broken irrigation spout. However, It was an irrigation issue so they couldn’t really do anything. I took care of it. AHS then sent me an email telling me that they weren't going to be doing their charge since Boss didn’t do anything. They considered it like a wellness check. I’ve been very happy with my experience with AHS. I’m currently selling my house and I'll be moving into another state. I will most likely be using American Home Shield again for my new home purchase.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My Whirlpool washing machine started putting greasy spots on our clothes. We first noticed it on our whites. They come out with some stains that they did not go in with. I tried to play it off at first and go, “Oh, maybe some clothes we washed before had left a residue or something in the machine", but then I noticed it more and more often and I thought it wasn't what we're putting the machine, it was something coming out of the machine. I contacted some people I know in the neighborhood that work on such things and they told me that it was a possible cause.

I then called American Home Shield to have someone look at it and a really nice guy from JTL Services came quickly and took care of it. He showed us that the transmission was the cause of the residue that was coming out. We took the unit out of the house and put it in the garage because my wife said that she was not gonna put our clothes in there. I had to go buy a new washing machine. Then, when the claim was turned in, I accepted the claim they had the work done and in exchange, they sent me money to go towards the purchase of the other washing machine. I then filled out the information on the new machine and sent it to AHS so that would be covered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: July 17, 2018

I called American Home Shield because of my pool pump. They dispatched someone who came out and said that he couldn’t access the pump to fix it. The gentleman was 60 to 65 so I told AHS that maybe because of his age, he didn't wanna try to climb down underneath the equipment to be able to access it. I also asked AHS to send someone else but they wouldn't send anybody out. AHS denied the claim saying they didn't have to pay for it if they couldn't access it. They also gave me 70 bucks for what they believed the part would cost. I was very disappointed with that but it was the fall of the year and I let it ride.

In the spring, I called a totally separate entity, not going through American Home Shield, for them to come, look, assess, and to find out how much it was gonna cost me to replace the pump. This guy from the independent company said that the gentleman who came over was lying about not being able to access the pump and he also said that all the past gentleman has to do is unhook something in the pump and the whole thing pulls forward. So with that, I called AHS back and I told them what happened. They agreed to open up a new ticket for the techs to come out and fix the pump, although I still had to pay another 70 bucks for them to come out to do that.

I had a similar experience with AHS trying to come to fix an air conditioning unit, which at this point, I plan to call an independent company to see if they can access the space for the part to see if this is the same kind of scenario. I also had a dryer go out. The techs came, fixed it and that was fine. Regarding the pool pump, AHS dispatched another company and the plumbers from that company were excellent. They assessed the pump, ordered the part and came back to fix it. The repair took a week to finish. I'm not canceling the warranty simply because the house is at a point where I'll still need the warranty, but I'm just a little iffy. I would recommend them to others but I would recommend them with cautions of that kind of thing.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I called the claim in when our air conditioner was not functioning. The representative from American Home Shield assigned it to an account and said that they would email me the contact information and that as soon as I got it, I could call the provider and get a timeframe of how soon they could get out there. I said okay and half an hour later, I had the email. I called the provider and the receptionist was very prompt. The temperature was well over 100 degrees and she understood. She said they would have somebody out the next afternoon. I also told her that I had someone take a look at the air conditioner. A neighbor of mine used to be in an air conditioning business and he came up the attic, took a look at it and figured out what was probably wrong with it. So I said it wouldn't take their guy very long to verify the issue.

The next day, the fellow called me. Then he came out, took a look at the unit and said the issue was exactly what my neighbor had said. He ordered the part and it was ready two days later. But while he was there, he also said that the circuit board in the blower motor upstairs was freezing up. He disconnected that, took the motor out and hardwired it right into the unit. So that actually got the unit back up and functioning until we were able to get the part put in. The technician was very good at what he was doing and everything seems to be fine now. I was pleased with the service provider and their service. They kept their appointment and they gave me 30 minutes notice before they were gonna be there. I've had warranties with American Home Shield for years and I would be perfectly happy with them.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I usually call in to submit claims to AHS and our most recent claim experience with them was an air conditioning repair. It happens this time of the year and is generally one of the solenoids or one of the capacitors that go out. The contractor was fine. He came on time and was efficient. He got it done and I signed the form. Everything is working fine now. It happened at a time when the temperature wasn’t exactly high and not on a weekend, so my discomfort wasn’t very long. I have recommended American Home Shield several times.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My interactions with American Home Shield’s rep were okay. I spoke with him when I called to submit a claim for my AC. I had a guest and the noise made by the unit was really bad. The rep gave me the number of someone to call. I called that person but they did not have time because I called on Friday. The contractor said they were going to come on Monday. So, I called AHS again and asked if they can give me another person to call but they told me that based on the rules, they have 48 hours to get me someone else because I called at the end of the day. So, I had to wait for that person. Nevertheless, when the contractor came, he was on time. He checked the AC but he did not find anything. He recommended changing the filter as it was not fit correctly. When we changed it, the noise went away. Since the repair, everything is okay. Overall, I’m not happy with American Home Shield.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I had a good experience with American Home Shield when I had them years ago. But I also had a bad experience and that was what prompted me to leave. But I figured I'd give them another try and I came back recently. I had submitted a claim for my built-in microwave combination oven over the phone and AHS had sent four different technicians to come and fix it. The second and the fourth contractors already recommended a replacement and yet, a fifth company called asking when they could come up and check the appliance. I was like, “Who are you?” American Home Shield didn’t even call and tell me anything.

I decided to give AHS a call because, at that point, four technicians could not figure it out. I was not about to let a fifth and a sixth one come out. When was the limit? Were they gonna replace it or fix it? Were they sending somebody that specializes only on this appliance? I asked them what was the protocol and the rep couldn’t answer me. Then she rep went, “Let me read the notes.” She said she just got the report from the last guy and it said “for replacement”. So they’re going to go ahead with that and contact me between 24 and 48 hours.

I also wasn’t satisfied with the third contractor who came out. He didn’t install the oven back to its original state and said that he needed somebody to help him get it in. And he went, "If anything goes wrong, then give me a call in two weeks and I'll come back and put it back on like perfect." The microwave was working when he left but roughly a week later, it started messing up again. So I called him but nobody answered. I decided to call AHS and have them send that contractor out or somebody else. AHS decided to send somebody else. I'm not a very happy customer at this time. But those things aside, my interactions with the representative when I filed the claim and with the contractors were good.

Original review: July 17, 2018

The ice maker stopped working so I did an online claim for it. A couple of days later, I got a message from American Home Shield saying that Chesapeake Home Appliance Services will contact me within 24 hours and they did. The contractor was a very professional and nice guy. He knew exactly what was wrong with the ice maker. He told me that once the part came in for the refrigerator, he would come back and install it. I was also getting a water filter and he said that he would show me how to flush the lime when I put my water filter in. He was very helpful and since the repair, the ice maker is working perfectly.

But recently, Delmarva Plumbing LLC was supposed to do plumbing work on my house. I put my request on Friday or Saturday and when they called, I had already gotten someone to look at the problem and I told them I didn't need their help anymore. Other than that, I’ve had American Home Shield for a few years now and they’ve always done a good job as far as getting me a contractor to take care of my situation.

Good morning Ms. Smith,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent claims to have the ice maker and plumbing repaired. I was pleased to hear about the contractor that repaired the ice maker quickly and accurately. I hope that you continue to enjoy your warranty with American Home Shield!

Original review: July 17, 2018

American Home Shield immediately contacted somebody when I filed a claim for an AC issue. My air conditioner quit working and it was just blowing hot air when we were using it. AHS claims process was fast and easy. The contractor contacted me and was out within two days. I told them what the problem was and the guy was great. It turned out that the AC only needed to be hosed down and the filter was horrible and then it started working. AHS has always been a great help. There are always some things that aren’t covered but that’s just the contract.

Good evening Garnet,

I would like to thank you for your kinds words regarding your most recent experience with American Home Shield. It is our pleasure to exceed your expectations by providing you with a knowledgeable contractor to repaired your air conditioner. I hope that you continue to enjoy your warranty with AHS!

Original review: July 17, 2018

So far, my experience with American Home Shield has been positive. I submit my claims both online and over the phone, but it’s better to talk to a human being because sometimes the online form wants to specify the problem but sometimes I’d rather talk to somebody. Both are good, but it depends on what is going on. I had different experiences with different contractors. Some of them are generally good, although there was one lady that I didn’t like. She sent somebody here and they couldn’t find where the tenant was. They called back to let them come back so I can show her where it is, but she wasn’t nice.

It is the industry standard whereby they give us two to four hours of waiting time, which generally nobody likes. But so far, so good. However, an issue was not fixed and I reported it then AHS sent somebody else and they charged me for that. I didn't like that. I tried to get them to understand that if the issue was corrected initially, then the follow-up cost wouldn’t have happened. And it took them time before they reversed the charge. But overall, they are good.

Original review: July 17, 2018

We moved into a home and on our first day there, all the lights in the kitchen would not work. I originally called an electrician to come out before remembering that we had the AHS warranty. We've had it for less than a month. The electrician was gonna be $150 an hour so I called AHS and they were super polite, very quick and easy to deal with on the phone. Within 20 minutes, they had somebody scheduled for the next day and the Kelley Brothers fixed the lights then. It was perfect.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My AC was blowing hot air and I submitted a claim with American Home Shield. The guy from A-US Air showed up and he was very nice and polite. He was knowledgeable and explained everything to me. He found out that the issue was with a capacitor and now the AC is running fine. He also checked the temperature and all the vents. So, it was very good. I've been with American Home Shield for three years and that was the first time I've made a claim. And they handled it quickly, so I was very pleased.

Good morning Pat,

Thank you for your kind words to American Home Shield regarding your most recent experience to have your air conditioner repaired. I am glad to hear about how knowledgeable and courteous the contractor from A-US Air was. It is our goal to provide you with the best customer service experience. I hope that you continue to enjoy your home warranty with us!

Original review: July 17, 2018

The dryer wasn't drained so the cycle would shut off halfway through. And because it takes too long on the phone and I can never get through, I submitted the claim online. The American Home Shield rep scheduled the appointment and the ABM tech came out. I had a pleasant interaction with him. He came in and I asked him to take his shoes off and he did. He took the dryer apart, assessed it and told me what he needed. He said there was a problem with the pulley and the belt broke because the dryer didn't go completely around. So the dryer would start and just stay there. He ordered the part and said to give him a couple of days and then he came back and put the part in.

However, the initial repair with ABM didn't go well. The unit continued to spin but then after a couple of days, we noticed that the dryer wasn't cooling or heating up 100%. The dryer was still doing what it was doing but ABM said I had to call in another time because their tech said the dryer was fine when he left. Their tech said that there was nothing they could do and I didn’t have time to argue. So I rescheduled another appointment with American Home Shield and I had another contractor, A1, come out. It was another $75 but A1 worked on the dryer and switched out some coils on it and now the dryer seems to be working fine. American Home Shield did what they're supposed to do.

Good morning Alan

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I enjoyed reading about your experience to have the dryer repaired and the actions that were taken to resolve the issue. I am glad we switched the contractor and was able to complete the repair sin a timely manner. I hope that you continue to enjoy your home warranty with us!

Original review: July 17, 2018

My AC unit stopped going to the cooling mode. I submitted a claim with American Home Shield and their online portal was great. I was then forwarded to a company and that company's rep called me. However, without even sending anyone out to look at the issue, the person just assumed, “Oh, okay. If it’s this and this, we’re gonna have to replace the whole unit and your unit is on your roof. We don’t have a truck that can get it up there so I’m gonna cancel you and you’re gonna have to get someone else.” So they canceled me. They didn't even try.

And then I had to resubmit a request for service through American Home Shield. AHS then provided me with another company and they were phenomenal. The person that the company sent out was able to diagnose that I had a bad thermostat and that there was a capacitor that needed to be replaced within the rooftop unit. They had the parts in their vehicle and the air was on within a half an hour. My experience was positive and very straight-forward. I’m very happy with having the coverage from AHS and having the service done. It saved me from spending a lot of money.

Good morning Christopher,

I would like to thank you for your feedback to American Home Shield about your most recent experience to have the AC repaired. I am glad that you found the online portal easy to navigate through. It is our goal to provide you with the best team of professional technicians. I hope that you continue to enjoy your home warranty with us!

Original review: July 16, 2018

We had three different electrical issues that I submitted a claim to American Home Shield. One was when a part of the doorbell wasn’t working on one side of the house and on the other side too. We also had one of our garage door openers intermittently working. And something was wrong with the track that sometimes it goes up and sometimes it wouldn’t. We couldn’t put it up at all. The very first claim I ever did was over the phone. But I did these claims online and navigating through their website was simple. However, the contractor took a couple weeks to come. And one of the longest ones that we had was with our appliances and the contractor never showed up. AHS closed out the claim but they didn’t know that the contractor did not show up. So, they ended up reassigning the claim to a different contractor.

We’ve had several different contractors who came and most of them have been pretty pleasant. We only had one plumbing guy that was really bad, rude and just degrading my wife. I called the company and complained to the manager. It has been resolved and we handled that with the contractor themselves. That aside, it’s nice to have the coverage but you have to read the fine print. So far, everything’s doing fine but we still have a couple of things that are waiting to be addressed because of the technicality.

Original review: July 16, 2018

One of our vents had water dripping from it a little every now and then, so I put a service request through my American Home Shield account online. It was easy navigating through the website. An electrician took around two days to get back to me and when he came in, I told him what the problem was. Then he went and looked at a couple of things. He went to my attic as well to look up there and to get the overview of the whole system. And then, he told me he'd go out to check the air conditioner outside.

He also told me about the refrigerant stuff he had to put in and he even spoke of tips and pointers to think of the next couple of years as far as getting a brand-new air conditioner, since they're gonna charge me $75 a hit every single time. Unbeknownst to myself, the consumer gets the EPA with that particular refrigerant RF221 at the list of "Don't use anymore" and I gotta pay out of my pocket quite a bit to get that recharged. He said to think about it in the near future. The unit is still with cold air and it's great. I have my issues with how the plan works, but what AHS had in place as far as reaching out to somebody for the unit to get fixed is good. However, I've had some problems in the past with getting people to come out for other things.

When I first bought the home, it was the first time I've ever had a home warranty plan for a home that I have purchased. I've bought out homes before and the one I had in Nebraska was two years older than this one and that house was built in '78. For the most part, most of the things in the house were solid, but there were some things that my husband and I discovered after the fact that probably weren't done properly, so we had to call and get people to fix it with money out of our pocket. I moved here and the people selling the home were throwing in the home warranty thing, which I thought was a little unusual and they had something to hide kind of thing. And it turns out there's some shady thing.

But when I got American Home Shield, I've been really disappointed since the beginning. There's always a catch with something. When I have a claim that says that it should be covered under the payment plan, but in the fine print, I find out that it's not covered, so the frustrating part is how they limit things in the plan itself.

I really needed an electrician to come out to repair something or at least look at it and tell me what was going on with it. As a matter of fact, I got tired of waiting and I canceled one company. It took them too long to get back to me. AHS got someone else. The guy who came was awesome, but as it turned out, the issue was just a circuit breaker that was damaged. But still, it could have been a major problem had he not come in to fix it. However, that circuit breaker part was not covered in my plan at all. I'm fortunate that it wasn't anything crazy where it was just ways I had to call and ask to have them define what these words mean in the plan, so I knew what to expect. So, I asked them to define what is hardwiring. To me, hardwiring includes the panel itself and everything that goes out from it. It could be an outlet or whatever it is and that's how I consider it. But that's not what American Home Shield considers that part.

I was lucky with an extension as it turned out to repair. But those little things with every incident, I don't call on American Home Shield all the time, just when I really need somebody to come out and check out things. My husband passed away last year, so I kept relying on handy home men to fix things for me. For me, as a consumer, I still think that some business entities need be better with the consumer, but they're not. I pay 500 bucks a year for it. But on top of that, every single time I have to call somebody, that's another 75 bucks I gotta fork out of my pocket. And when that person gets out to my house to check what they gotta check out to get the chance again, it may cost nothing or it may cost a lot. That's where money enters. I wonder, "Why do I have a home warranty, then?"

Original review: July 16, 2018

The dishwasher was functioning but it wasn’t cleaning. So, it was just spinning dirt everywhere. I submitted a claim to American Home Shield, which I usually do over the phone, and the experience was fine. Their reps have always been very helpful, always Johnny-on-the-spot in getting things done. The repairman was nice. He told me that the dishwasher was working fine and it needed a very good cleaning. He told me to buy some cleaning fluids from a local store to clean it out. And then he would send me a cap for the Jet-Dry thing because the cap was broken, but I never received it. So far, I’ve cleaned it. It’s not running like brand-new but it’s better. I've been with American Home Shield for four years now and I’ve had three or four things that I’ve had to have fixed. I’ve always had somebody come out and they get it fixed right away. If they couldn’t, they’d order a part, come back, and take care of it.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I had a leaky sink in the bathroom and I submitted a claim online with American Home Shield. Navigating through their website was very easy. The plumber came the next day to fix the sink. He was very efficient and he did a good job and everything has been good since the repair. Having the warranty is very valuable. We’ve used it three times in four months so it saved us a lot. We just moved in the place so there were little things like outlets that wouldn't work and then we had the leaky sink. We’ve had very good service from American Home Shield and I’d highly recommend them.

Original review: July 16, 2018

It's pretty good with American Home Shield but sometimes it takes a while to get an appointment. And not everybody at American Home Shield knows what the contracts are. I got three different opinions every time I called for a claim and that was frustrating. I had to wait for days. The water heater was leaking over the weekend and I thought that was an emergency but they didn't take care of it until the following week. I had to keep calling. I would recommend that anybody answering the phone to really know what’s on the contract and how to read it.

Also, they’ll say they cover something and they don’t. It says if the plumbing is not done right, they would fix it. But they won't fix everything. They don't cover the bladder that the water heater needs and they don't cover the piping to the water heater whenever you change that with different sizes. I had to pay for stuff that I thought would be covered. If they have to replace something, they can't replace just the one item. Everything is connected and it didn't make sense to me that they wouldn't cover something I had to have in order to put the hot water heater in. Also, I needed a vent and they wouldn’t fix that, so I had to pay for that. I’ve had three or four different plumbers here for different things since I got the home. I wish there were more details on what’s covered when you go to buy it. Other than that, I’m glad I have them because I’ve used them quite a bit.

Original review: July 16, 2018

We had a refrigerator that was covered under American Home Shield. The inside of the freezer frosted up and the refrigerator side got too warm. I submitted the claim through the website and if I didn’t hear or see anything, I would call back and I'd wait. However, if you call in, you tend to wait on the phone for a long time. But their reps were pretty good and they responded by email. You have their full attention when they're there. AHS sent somebody out that replaced some parts and two weeks later, the refrigerator stopped again. We called back and this time, they sent a different contractor. It was Sears and they replaced some more parts. Three weeks later, we had it again.

This went on about four times and they kept replacing parts until we finally got to the point where we had done this on and off for several months. It seemed every time we went shopping, the refrigerator would go bad again. It began to get a little frustrating when it would happen every three weeks and it was different parts until we basically went through all the parts you can change, and it was still failing. It got to the point where the technician came out and said that the refrigerator needs to be replaced. That’s what AHS did and it went well at that point. They sent us a check within the two-week timeframe like they said they would. We agreed and we went out and purchased a refrigerator. We had it delivered and hooked up, everything is copacetic and it's working. I just have to send the one-year warranty back to them to complete the process and we should be good to go.

The contractors were all excellent. They were prompt and courteous, and they seemed to know what they were doing. The one thing we tended to go through was that they would come out and diagnose it and then they would order parts, and then it would be another week to 10 days before the new parts would come back. I wish there was some way, knowing it's a refrigerator for example, that they would have some parts on the truck. The warranty is a very good thing to have to cover all of your appliances and your equipment in your house, especially if you just buy a house and you don’t know how long these things will last. Sure enough, something will go bad. I would recommend American Home Shield.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The control panel in the dishwasher was not working. It wasn’t lighting up and I was trying to circumvent it before it got any worse. And then, the icemaker of the refrigerator jammed up as well. My wife submitted filed the claims online and when the contractor came, he was in and out really quick. He did the refrigerator but he said he had to order the new panel for the dishwasher and he would give me a call. He called and once he came in, it took him five minutes to install it. A friend was in the market for some type of protection and I told him we’ve been with American Home Shield for a year and I would renew. We did our research and we concluded that AHS was the best that we could find. It’s very valuable and I would recommend it.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I had an issue with my AC and American Home Shield sent a technician to take care of it. I've had these people before and the service was excellent. Everything I've ever done with AHS has been spot on. I've never had a complaint. They've put two air conditioning in. I've also had washers, dryers and dishwashers fixed. If you got a problem they're there.

The contractors are prompt. They call and give you a time if they're gonna come within a couple of hours. They call 30 minutes prior. They are always right on time. If they said they'll be there in 30 minutes, you can set your watch. They don't give a time frame like between 8:00 and 4:00 and something like that. It's a two hour window, which is about as high as you're gonna get. If they run into a problem they'll call you and say, "Hey, we're gonna be a little bit late." They're extremely professional.

We're at 95 degrees and we are basking but as long as the house is cool, everything is great. I've been with AHS for 12 years and I wouldn't be with them this long if they haven't given the service that they said they would and their service has always been excellent. They've been extremely responsive. Immediately they sent me a text or an email that said they got this claim that has been submitted and they tell you who the people are that are coming and a phone number of that person. I've had several different service providers come out on different issues and they've always been fine. AHS is extremely well run. I have recommended them to a couple people. A couple of people have taken them.

A lot of times when you had these home or car warranties the first thing they start to do is look at the loopholes to get out of it. AHS doesn't. They know if there is something you haven't done to maintain your system like with the air conditioner. If somebody didn't and they use the system or abuse the system of American Home Shield then they would not honor the claim. We've had some major problems and the contractors called American Home Shield to get permission to do the replacement or repair. If it's major right then and there they will do it. There's no wait.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The back of our toilet where it was hooked up was leaking. And so my wife went on the computer and put in a claim with American Home Shield and then someone had contacted us and said somebody was gonna come out. They gave me the name of the contractor who was coming, so I knew who was coming. And the contractor took care of everything. I showed him exactly where it was leaking, he looked at it and he got some parts and fixed it. And I’ve had no problem since. Also, he explained to me everything he was doing as I was sitting there and watching him. Overall, American Home Shield has been really helpful. So far, we’ve had three different problems and they’ve come out and took care of us.

Original review: July 16, 2018

My air conditioning system was coming on but not cooling, so I filed a claim over the phone to AHS. And I was very satisfied with the claims process. The contractors were very efficient and polite as well. They came out quickly and they did a really good job. And since the repair, the AC unit has been working very well. I've had American Home Shield for the last two years and every time I called, they were very polite and efficient and problems got solved really quickly. They're really very good and the warranty is worth the money. I would recommend others getting AHS.

Original review: July 16, 2018

American Home Shield did a warranty service on my air conditioning unit. I called them for the claim and the rep I dealt with was very professional. The contractor they sent called to let us know he was gonna be late. When he made it there, he fixed and repaired. He had everything he needed, so we did not have to wait for any. He was very good. The AC is now functioning fine.

Original review: July 16, 2018

My sisters and sister-in-law have services from American Home Shield. They recommended me to AHS and I've been with them since December. Recently, my furnace was setting on and off and there was no heat since the air wasn’t working properly. I called AHS and they got a hold of the contractor, West Michigan Air Duct. Everything went smoothly from there on American Home Shield's end but, it didn’t go too smoothly on the contractor's end. West Michigan Air Duct told American Home Shield that I wanted to cash out on my furnace and I never stated that. I had to call American Home Shield because West Michigan gave them the wrong information and I had to do all the leg work for West Michigan. But once I did that, American Home Shield worked out everything and replaced my furnace. They were very nice and they made stuff happen.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The air conditioner wasn’t working at all. The fan itself wasn’t working on the outside unit, so I wasn’t getting any cool air at all. I submitted the claim with American Home Shield on the phone and the interaction I had with the claims representative was good. They told me who would be contacting me and they gave me that number. The company that repaired it contacted me personally to say when they would be coming in approximate time. They came around 15 minutes after the time they said they would be there.

The interaction I had with the contractor was also good. I really had no clue as to what was going on and we found out it was just a minor repair. I was even more excited about that and the fact that the gentleman explained everything to me in layman’s term, so I knew exactly what was going on. It was very hot while I was waiting for the repair to be done, but it’s perfect now.

I recommended some friends to American Home Shield and they took advantage of it. They were very pleased with whatever problem they had in their homes. If I knew somebody needed a home warranty company, I would recommend American Home Shield. I’m a senior citizen so having a warranty on our property is very good. I only have a certain amount of money and hopefully, if anything has to be repaired or replaced, it would be done through them because I don’t have any extra money for a full replacement of something for my own.

American Home Shield expert review by Michele Lerner

American Home Shield (AHS) was founded in 1971 and is part of the ServiceMaster family of companies. AHS provides warranty coverage to 1.7 million customers across the United States, and the company has paid out $2 billion in home warranty claims since 2013. The company offers customizable plans to meet most consumers’ needs and budgets.

• High coverage limits: AHS covers up to $3000 in repair or replacement costs for many covered appliances and the company will spend up to $250 to obtain needed permits or to correct code violations.

• Choice of plans: Customers can choose to cover just their systems or appliances or save money with a combination policy; completely customized warranty programs are also available.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week; service requests are typically filled within 48 hours.

• Service fees: Consumers choose between policies with a $75, $100 or $125 service fee. Warranties with lower service fees will have higher premiums, so customers can select the plan that works best for their budget.

• Service providers: AHS works with over 14,000 local contractors to make service repairs. The company monitors consumers’ reviews of contractors to ensure AHS warranty holders only work with qualified service providers.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Home Shield Company Information