4.3/5 (12565 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Kathryn Parkman
Edited by Jon Bortin

About American Home Shield

American Home Shield is a home warranty company with over 1.8 million customers. It provides home service contracts that cover major home systems and appliances and offers additional protection for electronics and select maintenance services. The company has access to a network of over 17,000 licensed contractors and has paid out over $2 billion in claims over the past five years.

Pros

• 30-day workmanship guarantee
    • Flexible payment options
    • Does not require maintenance records

Cons

• Not available in Alaska
    • Some customer service complaints

Bottom Line

American Home Shield offers three warranty plans to cover systems and appliances, regardless of age. AHS provides additional coverage for electronics, pools or spas, and roof leak repairs.

Top American Home Shield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… They came down and assessed the problem. They determined the part that needed to be ordered and they ordered it. Then, they came back and fixed it. I wish the part could be deli...

Verified

I feel secure having something like American Home Shield and paying that monthly premium that when things happen, there's a company that is easy to deal with that's not gonna run ...

American Home Shield plans and coverage

The standard AHS warranty contract is 12 months. American Home Shield offers home warranties that cover up to 21 of the most common household systems and major appliances, regardless of their make, model or age.

When a covered item breaks down from wear and tear, you pay a trade service call fee (ranging from $75 to $125, depending on your contract), and American Home Shield pays to have it repaired or replaced by a licensed, independent contractor in the company’s network.

Keep in mind that American Home Shield will not reimburse you for services performed without its prior authorization, so you must go through the proper claims process. In other words, you can’t perform repairs yourself or hire a contractor outside the company’s network without authorization.

The ShieldSilver Plan covers repairs and replacements of components and parts in 14 major home systems:
    • Air conditioning
    • Heating units
    • Ductwork
    • Built-in exhaust, vent and attic fans
    • Main breaker and fuse panel box
    • Doorbells and chimes
    • Interior electrial lines
    • Ceiling fans
    • Garage door openers
    • Interior plumbing lines (including stoppages, leaks or breaks)
    • Water heaters
    • Toilets
    • Faucets and valves
    • Whirlpool tub motor and components
    The ShieldGold Plan covers everything in ShieldSilver, plus nine more appliances:
    • Refrigerators
    • Garbage disposal
    • Instant hot/cold water dispensers
    • Clothes washers
    • Clothes dryers
    The ShieldPlatinum Plan covers everything in ShieldSilver and ShieldGold, as well as:
    • Shingles, tiles and shakes
    • Flat (nonmetal) roofing
    • Flashing
    • Underlayment
    • Roof leak repairs
    • Free HVAC Tune-up
    • Unlimited A/C refrigerant
    • Coverage for code violations and permits
    The Electronics Protection Plan can cover any eligible new electronics you purchase while you have the plan. This plan covers an unlimited number of electronics under one plan, with no registration or receipts required. If your electronic system breaks, it can be fixed. If it can’t be repaired, a replacement can be sent to you or you will be reimbursed up to the price of the item. Covered products include:
    • TVs
    • Smart home products
    • Desktop/laptops
    • Tablets
    • Printers
    • Home theater Systems
    • Headphones
    • Video game consoles (including controllers)
    American Home Shield lets you add on optional coverages if you purchase ShieldSilver, ShieldGold or ShieldPlatinum. Optional coverages include the following:
    • Guest unit
    • Pools or spas
    • Septic pump
    • Well pump
    • Roof leak repairs

Additional services

American Home Shield offers multiple new add-ons and other services that make owning your home a little easier. For an additional cost, you can add the following:

• Smart home tech installation and setup services
    • Pre-season A/C tuneup
    • Pre-season heating system tuneup
    • Pest control
    • Rekey service
    • Roof leak repair coverage

American Home Shield cost

American Home Shield provides free quotes after you provide your address and contact information. American Home Shield customers typically pay monthly. Your total monthly cost will vary depending on which plan and service call fee you select. The trade service call fee is the amount you pay for each service or repair visit. On average, American Home Shield’s most extensive plan, the ShieldPlatinum Plan, is around $62 a month.

AHS lets you choose if you want your trade service fee to be $75, $100 or $125. You can select a higher trade service call fee in exchange for a lower monthly payment or a lower fee for a higher monthly payment.

American Home Shield discounts and perks

There is a multitude of benefits and discounts that you get along with your American Home Shield Plan:

• Save money when you buy warranty coverage for multiple properties.
    • Refer a friend to American Home Shield and receive a $25 Amazon gift card.
    • Get discounts on select name brand appliances.
    • Save 50% on retail prices on filters for your air conditioner and furnace; filters are delivered to your front door.

American Home Shield exclusions

Plans generally won’t cover routine maintenance, cosmetic defects or system or appliance upgrades. Coverage doesn’t apply if a system or appliance stops working because of misuse or abuse. It also doesn’t cover malfunctions due to lightning strikes or fire; for protection from these events, you need homeowners insurance.

Depending on your service contract’s terms, specific parts or components of a covered system or appliance could be excluded. For instance, the plan you choose may cover toilets and related mechanisms under the plumbing section but exclude stoppages caused by collapsed, damaged or broken sewer lines outside your house’s main foundation. Garage door openers are covered, but the door and door track assemblies might not be.

AHS does cover undetectable preexisting conditions, items without maintenance records and breakdowns due to corrosion. However, it won’t pay to repair or replace something still covered by a manufacturer’s warranty or by a builder.

American Home Shield coverage limits

American Home Shield will pay up to $3,000 per system or appliance to diagnose a problem and repair or replace the covered item. A coverage limit is the maximum dollar amount a home warranty company is willing to pay out per item or per contract term.

In some cases, if the cost of diagnosis and repair or replacement of an item is above the cap, the company instead provides a cash payment. It might also offer cash if a repair isn’t possible and a replacement is not available.

American Home Shield FAQ

How do I file a claim with American Home Shield?

You can file a claim with AHS online or by calling. Once you submit your claim, the company will contact a service contractor within 48 hours. The contractor will then contact you to schedule a service appointment. You will pay the service call fee specified in your contract for the contractor to come to your home. After the contractor makes a diagnosis, AHS decides if the issue is covered as part of your contract.

Does American Home Shield require a home inspection?

American Home Shield does not require a home inspection for a home warranty contract. You don’t have to provide maintenance records to be eligible for covered repairs, either.

If I have homeowners insurance, do I need American Home Shield?

A home warranty is different from homeowners insurance; you are not duplicating coverage by having both. Homeowners insurance typically covers property loss due to events such as fire, lightning, storms and theft, while a home warranty covers appliances and systems that break down from normal wear and tear.

Can I cancel an American Home Shield warranty plan at any time?

You can cancel an AHS plan at any time. Cancel in the first 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancel at any time after 30 days and receive a prorated refund for the remainder of your term; an administrative fee may apply.

Is there a limit on repairs?

There is no limit on the number of repairs during a contract period. However, you should check your contract for dollar limits per covered item or per term.

Is American Home Shield worth it?

Some customers choose American Home Shield when they move into an older house and aren’t sure everything is in the greatest condition, hoping to save money down the road. Others choose the company in anticipation of selling their home to avoid unexpected repair costs.

Overall, we find that American Home Shield offers good coverage at a fair rate. Prices are on the higher end of average for the industry but still pretty competitive, considering the level of coverage provided. It’s an especially smart fit if you like the idea of managing everything online.

Ultimately, whether or not buying a home warranty is worth it depends on a few factors, like the age of your appliances and systems and how willing you are to risk paying 100% out of pocket for repairs. If you still can’t decide, read about the pros and cons of home warranties next.

American Home Shield video reviews

american home shield video review
    Theophilus: My name's Theophilus and I live in Indiana. And what got me into purchasing a home warranty is because we are a family of five, we're young, and we just have a lot of things that we cherish, and it only made sense to get a home warranty to cover things if anything ever were to go wrong. When we first purchased our home, our realtor gave us many options in terms of home warranty. And I went through, I like to do my research as my wife knows, but we kept coming back to American Home Shield because they had a really fair deductible rate and it just seemed like they had a good connection to at least the people or the workers that were around me. And especially when I saw company names that I was already familiar with in my hometown. Applying for American Home Shield warranty services is really simple. If you have a smartphone or if you have access to a computer, it's as simple as logging onto the website and hitting the apply button. What I love about this process is that you can actually have someone get in touch with you really quickly. And they are very, very intuitive in terms of listing all the packages out and you can actually go through and see exactly what it is that you're going to need. Like, your needs are going to be met just by looking at what packages they offer. If you know that you have a very old home with very old electric, well, you can choose that option in one of their standard packages. Everything's listed and you can see it pretty easily. They're not hiding anything. And like I said, I love the fact that someone can contact you and you can walk through that process with them. It's a very simple and intuitive process. The people that I've worked with from American Home Shield and the people that they've contracted out are very knowledgeable. Everybody was very nice, very courteous, and very professional. One of the best experiences that I had is when our AC unit actually went out. I went online, I hit the application button to let them know that, Hey, my AC unit is out. I was already covered and within the 24 hours, I had somebody contacting me. They spoke to me about the issues. They let me know how sorry they were. And they really made me feel comfortable and they let me know that they were on my side. I didn't once think that they were just out for money or anything like that. No, they really genuinely wanted to help me. And within that 48 hours, I had somebody overnight at my house working to repair the AC unit. So it just goes to show you that trust goes a long way with a company like American Home Shield. My home warranty purchase of American Home Shield is definitely worth it. Like I said, we're a family of five and there's a lot of things that we cherish. I'm a musician. I have a lot of expensive equipment and we just happened to purchase an old home. And with old homes come a lot of different problems. And it just makes sense that I'm covered with a company like American Home Shield. They make things really easy for a busy family like us. There's no hassle, so it's definitely worth it. I recommend it to anybody out there.
    american home shield video review
    Lucky: My name is Lucky and I live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. And the reason why I was interested in buying a home warranty was originally when I purchased my home, they offered it to me, but I declined it. And after a year or so, I realized my house being built in the mid-eighties that home warranty's probably going to be a good decision. And I'm so glad I did that about five years ago because I've used my home warranty numerous times and have saved myself so much money. I chose American Home Shield because my inspector, upon me purchasing my home, they had suggested that I should get a home warranty because my house was built in the mid-eighties. I declined that original offer and lived with myself for about a year. Until my sister-in-law said, Hey, you need to get a home warranty plan just to have as a backup, just in case something happens with your house being built in the mid-eighties. So I took her advice. Reviewed American Home Shield and all the different options you can have with different plans and I am so happy I did that. I've had my home warranty plan in effect for about five years now and have used them numerous times and grateful that I did. When I logged into the American Home Shield website, it asks specific questions about the size of your home, what it's made of, any type of special characteristics, maybe how old your roof is or what type of flooring you have. Everything was pretty much self explanatory because you just answered the questions. And once you... You pretty much learning about your house while you're answering all these questions at the same time. You're given the option to figure out what's your best plan and what would be the cost out of pocket versus how much the company would pay for if there was a something broke down. And with all the specific repairs that are in their contract, they take care of almost everything in this house from a small items, ceiling fan versus a slab leak, which I've had both. I've used both of those. And you can think that's just small minor but a new fan and having someone come and install it, that was worth it. And along with my slab leak, I had having someone have to drill a big hole in my living room floor, under a wood floor. That could have been a lot, very stressful on someone. But knowing that I had my warranty there behind me to take care of everything and glad I did. The service in dealing with the company, they have very knowledgeable representatives. They're always there to answer my questions, whether it's on the website, where you can log in and ask questions that way, or if you want to just give them a call. Before and after the repair is done, you're hearing from them, whether it's on a text message or saying the repair man is on his way. They do do follow ups and make sure that you're happy with the service. And I like doing surveys. So I'm always giving them a great shout out and everything. And all their contractors and their partners that they work with, the customer service even with them that are not entirely affiliated with the American Home Shield, but they are the repair man that come out and do the jobs, everyone's been great. They're all very, seems like they have a caring heart. They want to make sure that everything was done right, everything was done in a timely manner. They want to make sure that the customer's happy. And I've always been very pleased in dealing with American Home Shield personally, and all their affiliates. Purchasing American Home Shield and their warranty products and the warranty service that they offer, it was definitely worth it. I would do it again. I always refer them to other people, homeowners that have had their houses for many years and people that just bought a new home. I said, Hey, you make sure you get that American Home Shield the warranty service, because you might need it. You're going to need it. And it's going to definitely be worth it in the future. And you might not see an immediate problem now, but you just never know when something's going to break down. So yes, it was 100% worth it and I would do it again. And I would most likely probably do it actually, when I bought my home the same day, just to have it there. And I would keep telling people to buy this plan. You're going to use it and whether or not you have a home or not, I still tell people about my home warranty. Even people that are in an apartment somewhere, I tell them that what I have and that they, in the future, they need to get it.
    american home shield video review
    Bob: My name is Bob and I live in the state of Virginia. We've lived in many, many states around this country but now in our retirement, we are here in Virginia. We purchased an older home, and sometimes when you look around, you know, things break down. And to have that peace of mind knowing that American Home Shield is gonna be there to take care of anything that does break down is a real sense of satisfaction. We purchased American Home Shield back some time ago when we moved to the state of Virginia. And I think it was a flyer that came through the mail at that point in time and we looked and said you know, that really makes a lot of sense. And so we did login at that point in time and boy the process was so very, very simple. It just worked for us. And so we have stayed with American Home Shield now for many years and very, very happy and satisfied with them. When things break down that peace of mind, you know, is so important. We had a problem with our HVAC, we had a problem with a washing machine, we had a problem with a microwave. Most recently the microwave and I recall somebody came out to check out and see what the problem was. And at that point they— and we're very happy with the repair service that did come out. But they basically said, it's probably gonna be in your best interest to purchase a new one rather than try to fix this one. And so in working with somebody from the main office of American Home Shield, they just walked us through and we ended up with a new microwave and stove at no expense to us, other than the service call. So we just couldn't be happier campers. We got a flyer relative to American Home Shield and looked through that and it just seemed to check all the boxes of what we were looking for and, to be honest, we never even looked at another company. And we now look back and say that was a smart decision on our part. We've had repair people come out, that was for a washing machine. We've had repairs for our HVAC system. And if you know what the cost of an HVAC to make sure that it is working properly, and if there is a problem, it's corrected. That's so important and so we have never had a problem with follow up with anything relative to either the repair service or whatever. And anyone that we've spoken to in the main office has been so accommodating. It's just been a positive experience for us.
    american home shield video review
    Larry: Hi, I'm Larry. I'm in California. And I've got American Home Warranty for the safety and security of my home appliances. There were many alternatives out there to choose from, but I felt that American Home Warranty gave me the safety and security and all the options that I needed to stay secure the property appliances in my home. I went with American Home Shield because the application process was quick and easy and user-friendly. We discussed the options with our escrow officer and they decided that a good home warranty program would make us feel more secure in purchasing the property. Once we went with American Home Shield, the options they gave us were, uh, they have a lot of products that they offer as far as the things that the appliances and things that they covered. And we selected the plan that best suited our needs to cover those things that we had concerns with, like the refrigerator, the air conditioner, the heating and cooling system. So that's why we went with American Home Warranty. The customer service representatives at American Home Warranty were very responsive to my needs. Once you get someone on the line, they are very helpful in understanding your problems and getting you connected with a service provider that will meet your needs. And they always call back to follow up and make sure that I was satisfied with the services that I received and that they provided me everything that I needed to get my appliances or whatever repaired in a timely manner. I purchased the American Home Warranty to make sure that I was comfortable with my appliances as we were going forward with a new home. I am very happy that we went with American Home Warranty because everything that we, every time we've called them they've been very responsive and make sure that my appliances were repaired in a timely manner and with a good service repair. And so I'm glad I've had American Home Shield and I would definitely purchase it again.
    american home shield video review
    Oscar: Hey, my name's Oscar and I'm living in Illinois. I decided to get a home warranty because I wanted to make sure that all my mechanicals, and my refrigerator, my stove, my microwave, all that good stuff was gonna be working, regardless of what happens. My uncle actually has the same kinda warranty for his home in Pennsylvania. He told me it was great service. I decided to take a look and after one visit to the website I was convinced. After taking a look at their website, I decided to call the company and speak to their customer service department, and after chatting for maybe 15 to 20 minutes, we were able to identify the right plan for me that suited all of my needs. So my experience so far has been that the sales department is very, very topnotch. They really know what they're talking about, they know their product in and out, and they left me feeling really confident. On the other hand, when speaking to the actual customer service team when submitting a claim, I have found that that side of the business is lacking a little bit. To be more specific, it seemed like, any time I had an issue, they had to review exactly what I was talking about before they were able to make any decisions, and I also had an experience where the technician or the contractor that was assigned to me really just didn't seem like the right fit, it didn't seem like the service provider that I wanted to work with, and instead of providing a simple and easy solution, we kind of had to jump through a couple of hoops. At the end we were all able to get exactly what we wanted, but it did definitely take a little bit more work. So I've had the insurance plan for about two years and, thankfully, I haven't had any major issues with my home, but they have absolutely been very helpful. I did have two instances where one, we had to replace our water tank, and that got taken care of very, very quickly, and the second was actually a little bit of plumbing work that also was included as part of my plan. If I hadn't have had the insurance plan, it absolutely would have cost me a ton of money. Having the insurance plan has— It's been worth it.

American Home Shield Reviews

Over 50k reviews since 2012

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

I have several companies through American Home Shield that I really liked doing business with. I've found them to be very good and honest. In fact, for my HVAC at my house, I took out an annual maintenance contract with the company that I found through the home warranty company many years ago. So, if I have any type of issue with my HVAC system, I usually call them directly and tell them that I want the company assigned.

If American Home Shield tells me that it's on hold and the company's not taking any more calls, because they're just too busy, I tell them, "Yeah, they will for me." I call the company and have the company call them. There was also a plumbing company that I found that does exceptional business, and I've done business with them outside of the home warranty company, so I will go through the trouble. Recently, the appliance company that AHS sent out, I'll do the same for them and have recommended it to other people as well.

American Home Shield has been very good. It's sometimes a little long getting there though. With our dishwasher that was very old, the company recommended that it be replaced because there were no parts available. AHS found a part, which was probably refurbished. The first time our dishwasher was run, it ran all day long. They then replaced it, and I'm getting it this week. I've also had my daughter's washing machine replaced by them. It was a company recommendation again, and they took care of that, as well as my microwave. The first time, they sent GE out to repair my microwave and it did the same malfunction. When the technician had to come back out again, they replaced it.

Another thing is AHS only warranties their work for 30 days. For example, I had a problem with my garage door opener. They sent a company out, and the company said to me, "You really should replace this." I said, "How much are we talking?" The guy said, "600 and some dollars." I said, "No, let's just go ahead and replace these parts. We'll kick that can down the road a little bit." The same problem happened two months later, so I called the home warranty company and they said, "Nope, sorry, only good for 30 days." I said, "Well, I'll be darned if I'm paying another $125 to have somebody come out and fix the same problem that was repaired two months ago."

I called the company and said, "Excuse me, but do you stand behind your work?" They said, "30 days." I said, "Thank you," then they said, "Well, do you need help?" I said, "Not from you, because you already answered my question. If you only warranty your work for 30 days, then I'm not doing business with you." I called the company that I've done some work for doors and said, "Hey, need a new garage door." I've learned the lady has American Home Shield, and she said, "Sandy, don't buy this from us. Go through American Home Shield." I told her what happened, and she told me that the part that they replaced absolutely should not have gone bad unless they put a malfunctioning part in there. It was the same thing with the dishwasher and the microwave.

I may pay on this home warranty year after year, which I normally do without anything being replaced. I'm being honest with AHS by paying my money every month. They should be honest with me, too. They shouldn't put a refurbished part in my stuff, just do what they're supposed to do and fix it right with either a brand-new part, something that's reputable, or replace the appliance.

I'm cool if they wanna try to fix something, but in just over 30 days, they shouldn't make me pay another $125 service fee for something that was inadequately fixed to begin with. If it was a different problem that presented itself, I get it. That happens. However, the exact same problems presented themselves on two different things. One was the garage door opener, which I ended up biting the bullet, and I went with a company that I trust and paid $700 for a new garage door opener after paying American Home Shield $125 to not fix the problem. That's the only reason I'm giving a 4. Otherwise, I've been with AHS since 2002, and it's not just one property. I usually have multiple, because I have done it for my daughter's as well.

I started with American Home Shield when I started with Legum's, which was the first HVAC company that I had come out after I bought a home. I had a $75 service fee, but because it was so infrequent, I thought, "Okay. It's probably better to pay a little less a month, consecutively for months, and just go ahead and suck it up." Once I did that though, I started having more calls for service, but that's just the way it is. Overall, I recommend this home warranty to everyone, and I tell people they have to learn to work it. They can't just go online and submit a request and expect to get the person they want. They've got to go through the pain of calling. Although, as of late when I've had to call them, it's not that long of a wait.

The only other thing that I might add is a lot of the customer service reps that answer the phones have a script. They have a manual that they go by, so if I had to escalate a problem, it's near impossible to do. It used to be that I had a phone number for the supervisory group. If I had a problem, which I wouldn't do that just ordinarily, I had a recourse. However, that's no longer available. Also, if I ask to talk to a supervisor, there's never one available, and they'll say, "Somebody will call you back." That doesn't really happen.

American Home Shield response

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. Have an amazing weekend.

Get buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I love American Home Shield as the service. They are great at follow-up. They are also great at the vendors who come out. They were professional and always on time. So they do a good job on contracting with actual repair people. But I had a problem with the actual Lowe's folks. My appliances had to be replaced. I don't do well shopping, especially for appliances, by looking at a picture online. I can't do that. I’m old. I gotta go in and touch it and feel it. I looked at the pictures but I couldn't decide. So I opted to get the actual gift card. But the whole experience was a disaster. One, I wasn't sure who the vendor would actually be for. I wasn’t sure if it was gonna be Home Depot or Lowe's or Montgomery Ward. But Lowe’s is horrible.

I live in Oakland and the actual Lowe's is in Union City. It's half an hour drive from me. When I got in the store, they had this great sale going on. I had a range and a over-the -range microwave that went bad. I picked out the range and it went fine. For the over-the-counter microwave, I came in the store and told a salesperson that I needed a 30-inch slide-in. We started talking about that and he said, “Well, microwaves are a different bugger. We suggest that you get a premeasurement. It's gonna be $45. And if you buy the unit, we put it toward installation.” It sounded like a winner to me, so I took that and I went on about my business. Since he was sending me in another direction, I asked him if I would get the sales price or when was the sale over? He said, “I don't know when the sale is over.” I was really excited about the pretty range so I just let it go.

The sale was ending the next day. So I tried to call the store, and I was on hold for 40 minutes. Then someone came and hung the line up. I tried the Lowe's customer service and I was on hold again. They said, “Oh, well, you need to speak to someone in the store to find out about the sale. Let us send you over.” I told them, “No one answers the phone, which is why I called you.” Then they said, “We know how to get you in through curbside pick-up. They're the only ones in the store that answer the phone.” So I went through curbside pick-up. The guy here was what I wanted. But I was back on hold. The same thing happened after about 30 minutes. The line got hung up. I gave it a little bit of time. I read over the paper that Lowe’s gave me around the actual measurements. It said they would call you in two days to schedule your measurement. But I didn't have a measurement yet. They haven't called to schedule a measurement.

I called the store again. I tried to call early in the morning when they first opened. They still didn’t answer. I went back over to corporate again. First corporate lady I talked to said they didn't answer her. I called back later and got another girl. She had been there a little longer, so she knew what was going on. She said, “Well, let me call.” They didn't remove my stove. I wanted that reimbursed. I was gonna figure out how to measure the microwave myself. So I wanted that refunded back on to the card. I’ve had stuff refunded on my cards all the time. But they told me that I have to go back to Union City to get the refund. I'm a senior and handicapped.

When I called on the 7th and the 8th, Lowe's was supposed to escalate a claim with the manager that would get my questions answered. I told them, “Look, I have a responsibility to American Home Shield. I'm supposed to turn in the receipts. But if I can’t purchase it, how can I turn in all the receipts?” I also told them that I found that the sale was going off the next day and then asked them, “Should I purchase it now just online to get the sale price?” They said, “Well, if you do that and it's the wrong one, then we don't know, you won't get the sale price when you return it.” So they had me in a spot. I was supposed to have a call from the Lowe’s manager to say whether I got the sales price. Then I have to go back out there and get stuff credited and then purchase and have to deal with the delivery all over again.

I called American Home Shield to say, “Hey, I think maybe you should know that someone you guys are partnering or contracting with, not taking really good care of your customers. I'm letting you guys know, they're not doing a good job with us. And it doesn't look good.” I'm a person that's been in business for so long enough to be able to separate the two. That's not American Home Shield. That’s Lowe’s. But American Home Shield is contracting with Lowe’s. I was told, “They're not our partners or anything. We just send them to you.” So I said, “So, you really don't think that there's an agreement between American Home Shield and Lowe's to provide a service to American Home Shield’s clients?” She told me no.

I had to talk to the representative and it took a pretty long time to get her to understand why this wasn't good for American Home Shield that Lowe's were treating their customers like that because it changed the whole process. I loved American Home Shield but because it continued to get dragged out, it didn't make it feel right. Meanwhile, someone did an identity theft and shopped with my credit card at Lowe’s. He put it under my email, so all the receipts started coming back to me. I called the Texas store and sent them all the stuff to say, “Hey, these are fraudulent charges someone's doing on your store.”

I have totally enjoyed the experience with American Home Shield. I trust them. I went online and paid my money for the person to come out. They called the next day and scheduled the appointment. They were ready to come out the day after that or so. But I needed someone to be here to go up and down the stairs. So I pushed it out. American Home Shield should have more options on who they're gonna give out the gift certificate to. They should have more care on the vendors.

American Home Shield response

We are happy to know that AHS is beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Have great weekend.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

We had American Home Shield for 10 or 12 years. We had great experiences. During the summer while we were moving into our home, our air conditioner went out. AHS was fixing that for us. It went out again a few weeks later and the dealer said we had to have a new system so a new one was put in. When we moved in, we had four-gas burner range. No sooner had moved in, two of the burners weren't working. The product was outdated and AHS just cashed us out as they could not get parts. Within a few months, we had three or four claims. It was incredible that we had this insurance and they were so good.

A few years down the road, our furnace went out in the winter. AHS sent someone here to put a new furnace in and he was from Lansing, Illinois. We depended on AHS to send us reliable people. He definitely was not. He was terrible. He put the system in and he took days. We were in our home without heat and he never once told me that supposedly we had some sort of insurance with AHS that would have allowed us to go to a motel. We had no idea. We went out and bought a few little heaters to try to keep us warm.

The tech did a very poor job of installing the new furnace to the point that we were calling AHS with complaints. I even called my town sheriff over where I live to complain about this person. She said there was nothing they could do because we should have called and found out if the company the guy was registered with the town. That company never registered. Finally, we put our foot down and insisted that AHS use somebody else that was not in their system. The company that came was Seamer HVAC and they're highly respected in our community. I knew Seamer was a great HVAC company but I was initially told by AHS that I could only call whoever was on our sheet of accepted people.

AHS should up getting a better quality of people. In the end I got Seamer and they gave AHS a report and said that the first company put a certain piping all wrong in our installation. It was just a pitiful job. We still have that same furnace and I am so squeamish about that. I was told AHS still uses the first company even though I gave them a bad review.

We dropped AHS for a couple of years then we went back. So far, the insurance has been good. But I am on edge when I had the fan and the light go out. AHS sent somebody out to work on my light. They were polite and nice. When I was confirming our appointment for our fan, I told the rep that I had Casablanca fans and there was a need to have somebody with experience. Casablanca was bought by Hunter Fan Company and when you want to get something fixed, you have to take off some sort of part at the top of the fan to read the engraved serial number. That's how you can order parts. Otherwise, you cannot order parts.

The first man that came could not take off the part and could not find it so he was frustrated by it. In the meantime, he dropped part of the light fixture and it exploded on the floor. He did a few things like that then he was gonna leave it. I asked if he was not gonna sweep it up and he said that was for the homeowner to do. I called and mentioned what happened. The company apologized and said they were gonna send out a senior technician. Supposedly, he has worked on Casablanca fans.

The senior technician could not find the part and said “We recommend there's nothing we can do for the fan. It's just broken and you just need to get another brand. And we're gonna get you $99 to purchase Casablanca fans.” I already paid a $100 service charge and they were willing to take my fans. That was a hustle. They could repair the fan and can probably sell it for $500 or $600.

I mentioned to AHS that the first two men that came out didn't know what they were doing. I asked them to send somebody and the rep was on it. He was a senior representative named Carlos. He oversaw the case and he was right on top of things. He even called to say, “It's been a few days or almost a week and we haven't heard from you.” That was because once the fan was taken down the fan, the tech found the number then had to order something. He was gracious and nice and kept reassuring me that he would help us. Carlos was just tremendous.

AHS sent Cruz Electric and Handy Service and their guy got me taken care of. But that was another week or two down the road. Cruz worked on Casablanca fans for years and their tech knew that they had been sold to Hunter Company. I still have to track this back. I haven't resolved this one because I've had to have surgery in my eye twice and I have to go back to my canceled checks. I have been having a problem doing that. Whenever you put in your service request, you have to charge the $100 fee to your credit card, which I did. On a previous one that I'm still trying to work on, I immediately charged that $100 fee. I was told I had to pay it again and I did. But I found out that wasn't necessary.

What happened this time was one company was sent out but they didn't work out. That was not my fault that they didn't get that fixed. They didn't know how to do it. But they started charging me again. This happened before. I started to go after AHS for my $100 and they told me they returned it to my bank. I checked and they did not return the money to my bank.

This time, it happened again and AHS started sending me a text telling me that I owed the $100 and that I never paid it. I was right on top of that because that was the ploy they used before. I just assumed they know and that they are tracking this. I owed the $100 and I submitted another $100. I found out later they were wrong. They tried to do it again. This time, they sent me two or three emails telling me I owed the extra $100 when I didn't. Carlos was taking care of me and I told him how AHS keep telling me that I owe $100. He checked and said I don't owe that. AHS then upped the pressure and they sent me something telling me I was in arrears. They finally sent me a letter and they told me I owed the $100. It sounded like I'm like a deadbeat and that I wasn't paying that $100.

I mentioned this to Carlos again and he said, “I don't understand. I’d taken it off through your account. They shouldn't be bothering you at all. Because that was from the same job.” AHS put some pressure on me and I sent Carlos an email saying AHS had not given up. He called me just to double check. He said he was going to make a concession. They sent me a letter. All through that paper, it said that I owed them and that I need to pay.

I called to speak with them myself and they said, “I don't understand why you think this is an invoice.” I said, “Because you have the words that I need to pay you and I need to pay you now and invoice.” They said, “Oh, no. We're giving you concessions.” I said, “Why did you have to even send this letter then, if you're saying a concession?” And I didn't understand the meaning of that word. Concession. It's hard to understand the letter and the word when they were basically telling me I still owed them $100. I'm 80 years old. Anybody that would have gotten that letter and those emails would all think that $100 is owed.

Another claim I had with AHS was for a built in microwave and it's probably 12 or 15 years old. It's one of these large ones that sits on the counter. It went out so I called AHS to say it suddenly had stopped working. They said, “Well, it's a built-in.” I said, "But you knew that. Several years ago, when I started paying for this, I clearly said that, just like we have a built-in refrigerator in the kitchen.” I was upset because the rep said if it's on the counter, then they were not covering it.That didn't make sense to me since I've been paying extra. They treated me like I bought a piece of junk and put it on the countertop

There was one other thing. AHS sent something saying I should be getting one month free when I renew. I didn't get that. I called their attention to that and they said they would fix it but they never did. In October, I'm going to be paying for a renewal. I'm disappointed. I shouldn't have to have all this contact back and forth. It's not that complicated. AHS should be able to look at their file on me and say, "We didn't give her that free month. She has been paying for years.”

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. Please let us know if you need if you need assistance. Have an amazing week.

Original review: July 26, 2022

Submitting a claim to American Home Shield can be easy. It can be done online, which is pretty straightforward. But the ability to speak to someone is the problem. Their call service is a program that’s open 24 hours a day, which is great. The biggest issue is there is not a direct line. Anytime something's wrong, you have to call and wait on hold. Sometimes I've been on hold 45 minutes and I've been on hold as long as an hour and a half. The greatest frustration is that you do not get someone whose primary language is English. So there's a language barrier.

Sometimes I've had some representatives that it was not their first language, but they were easy to understand and they were good. Then there were some that you could clearly tell that they were reading from a script. So you could get very frustrated very fast and say, “Please stop reading from the script.” Or I’d ask to speak with their supervisor. But they would immediately go to the script because it’s scripted. So it’s hard to communicate.

Usually, when I need to get something done, I have to call and speak to quality control or retention services at American Home Shield. A lot of times, I’ve had appliances break down and they come in and fix it. But I’ve also had appliance break down and they come in and say, “Oh, well, there’s been an update to that under the protocol or new builder’s thing, and now, this is required.” So I’ve had to pay $300 out of pocket on top of the service fee, yet they still fixed one part of it. In some ways, it can be misleading.

Earlier this year, I had an issue with a refrigerator in my rental property. I went online and placed the servicing that evening. Within an hour, I had a vendor who I reached out to. The vendor set up the time and then they went by and fixed the issue. I paid $100 for that service trade agreement. But for what we had, it was more all-encompassing, so it was $100. Now, the flip side of that is I don’t know if what the person came and did cost $100 or $35.

When my dishwasher was broken in my rental property, the call was placed on January 6th and the contractor came out. They allegedly fixed it. But the next day, it still wasn’t working. They had to come back out and tried something else. It still wasn’t working. It wasn’t until the end of March before that dishwasher was replaced. So that was frustrating because that was for my renter. If that would have been in my home, would I have allowed it to go? It wasn’t life-altering, but it was definitely an inconvenience. Since it wasn't life-altering, American Home Shield kept giving the runaround. It’s not always straightforward.

American Home Shield has saved me. They paid for the hot water heater. But I also had to pay out of pocket for them to do an update that was required because it wasn’t up to code based on when the hot water heater was entered when the house was built. So you think you’re gonna be okay but then you’re not, and that’s frustrating. It's that fine print.

My greatest dissatisfaction with American Home Shield is that there’s not an email. I had emailed them before, and I’ve never received a response. Even if you click chat, it doesn’t go to chat. If you click on the website that says, “Contact Us”, there should be multiple ways but the only option is a phone number. So you call and wait on hold. If I’ve ever want to get anything done, I don’t call to ask about a repair, but I call to speak to a new plan. Then I get somebody who answers the phone on the new plan side. Those are very quick to answer because they’re wanting more business. From there, I say, "I need to speak to somebody in the retention service, and quality control.” But that’s wrong. You shouldn’t have to do it. There should be an email support.

Most recently, I got an email notice that I had a payment that was outstanding due, which didn’t make sense because my payments are automated monthly for the service, and then any time there’s a trade service call, that’s an automatic deduction. It comes right out of the account you set up for them to dispatch a vendor to go out and do the call. When I looked at the email that they sent, it said, “Pay it online.” But I couldn’t get any other information except to call. So I had to call and wait on hold. The young lady who answered was in the Philippines. She spoke very well. She was able to communicate. There wasn’t much of a language barrier. But I laughed because the whole time, you hear these chickens cackling in the back.

We are getting ready to sell the rental property that we have and I’m trying to figure out, “If I renew it, am I on the hook? If I cancel a month later, am I on the hook for the whole year? Or how does that work?” But I can’t get anybody to answer. So I’m really torn because I don’t want to cancel it before I sell the house because Murphy’s Law. Everything’s gonna break the minute I cancel it. But I recently thought about looking at other home warranty companies because American Home Shield's prices have jumped so much. For the first three yeats, it was $50 on each house per month. But now, the house that I have in Colorado is up to $61 a month.

Kim,

We appreciate you taking time to share your warranty experience. We look forward to handling your AHS needs. I do apologize for any inconvenience. Have an amazing week.

Original review: March 8, 2022

I would like to have American Home Shield allow me to pay for upgrades. An example, I had to have a furnace replaced, and they went for months, if not years, dumping money into this one AC unit. It finally got to where the list of parts was two pages long, and they went ahead and committed to replacing it. If I had to have paid for that particular AC unit, that would have been a couple $1,000, if not more. It makes more sense to pay American Home Shield $400 for the year, plus a $75 call to get it replaced.

I was thankful for the replacement, then I said, "Look, you guys, you're gonna put in a basic unit just like what was originally installed." They said, "Yes, because that's what we do. Whatever the basic current is, that's what we do." That's usually better than the basic original, which was 30 years ago, so I can't complain. But I said, "Look it, I'll pay for the difference to get an energy efficient unit and get it one size up." They wouldn't allow it, and I don't understand what the issue could possibly be. All they would allow was replacement of a basic original, because that's what I had. They've done that several times on several different items in the house.

We've had a couple of occasions where I've had to call and threaten American Home Shield too. Because it's Friday afternoon or Saturday night, and nobody can come out, or it's the old, "You'll be contacted within 24 hours." 48 hours later, we're going. "Isn't somebody supposed to contact me?" It's always the same, "Oh, well, we didn't get that call," or "We sent that call to the wrong, whatever," or "Well, sorry for that. It just got lost."

People make mistakes. I understand that and I don't have an issue with that. That's why I'm still with American Home Shield 30 years later. It just gets to be a bit of a problem when it happens to you personally. When it's the middle of summer, it's Friday afternoon, and your air conditioner goes out, and the best they can do is, "Well, you have to wait till Monday or Tuesday for that 24 hours, 48 hours to actually kick in." Are you kidding me? I say, "I'll pay the difference. Send them out immediately." On the call, "Oh, we can't do that." Unfortunately, whenever we've had an air conditioning issue or a backed up plumbing, it always happens Friday night or Saturday morning, and we always get caught on this 24-business hours.

The call may go into the company, but your call gets buried by all of the real emergencies that people called in and are willing to pay for that Friday, Saturday, or first thing Monday order. Yours just gets shuffled down in there, because you're just a routine call. So you don't get that call till either late Monday or first thing Tuesday maybe. So, now you've been without AC till, at least, Wednesday, and they don't have the part. It has to be ordered. This happened twice with my air conditioner, the first unit that we replaced. The parts that they needed were in town, but the company that was doing the repair work only ran to that distributor twice a week. I had to wait till it was their turn to go to that place to get the part, and then I had to get put on the schedule.

Using my example, a guy comes out on Tuesday morning and says, "It needs part X, Y, Z. I'll place the order." Guess what? Tuesday mornings is when they go to this company to get parts, and then again on Thursday. So now, I have to wait till the Thursday run to go get parts, and then they have to put me on the schedule once the part comes in, which means the part comes in Thursday evening. They put me on the schedule, but Friday is full, so guess what day it is now? The following Monday, because Saturday and Sunday are emergency calls, and a routine part replacement is not an emergency. My furnace or my AC has now been going on seven days, and I ain't gonna get the part put in for 10 days. That's American Home Shield's business model and I don't like it, but I accept it. Still, they could do better.

I've also had a year where I paid my $450, and I may have used them twice. I didn't need a service, but I go back to when I first bought the house that we're presently in. The house had issues, and the people that originally owned the house either lived with the issues or didn't consider them issues. I had somebody from American Home Shield out here every other week for the house. We had them out here for plumbing issues and for minor electrical issues, and a year like that, $75 a call, it's real easy to break even. I had a plumbing issue one time, where they just had to replace a water spigot. I didn't know if that was covered or not, but I called them out anyway.

The guy came out and said, "No, this isn't covered." Just getting a water spigot replaced because of the freeze was a $300 expense to me. American Home Shield makes sense if you've got an older home and you might have issues. They have worked on a dishwasher, a microwave, my refrigerator, and my washer and dryer over the course of 30 years. When you add up what these appliances could have cost me in terms of expense, it makes sense to have something like American Home Shield. It doesn't make sense when I have that year where I didn't need them at all, but I cannot predict when it's gonna be that year, so I just gamble and pay it. If I sit down and add it all up, I come out ahead.

Rick,
      Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed.

Take Care.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

American Home Shield connects you to professional contractors where you don't have to worry about researching them and trust in their word. It's automatic what you get. So far, I haven't had any problems. I've had their contractors come out for the washing machine, the HVAC system and the dryer. Recently, a contractor came to work on the washing machine which is an older model. They've come out three other times and I prefer that company and the same person because they're familiar with the model of the washing machine. I didn't have to wait. They're experienced and respectful.

Danaya,

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with us is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs.

We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Something got sucked into the dryer so a contractor had to come out and clean it. They came out the same day, within three hours of the request.

American Home Shield response

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

American Home Shield hasn't failed us. I recommend them to anybody that's got a house. We just have to pay the $75 service fee and getting stuff repaired is quick. Every technician that's been out here has been extremely great. We had one guy come to do the air conditioner a few years back because they had a leak and they ended up having to replace the whole thing. Recently, a repairman came to fix the dryer. When they turned in the ticket, they didn't put what it was. Luckily, he happened to have the parts that we needed to fix. He was able to put some new rollers on it. He was quick. This last one, because there was a third party involved turning the ticket in, it got missed the first time. It didn't get scheduled correctly, but they fixed it immediately.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

So far, my experience with AHS has been good. I've had two appliance calls and they've both gone really well. Now dealing with a plumbing situation. Hopefully, that will be resolved satisfactorily as well. I also had a rekey service that was offered and that went very well. We had Access come and they tech did a fantastic job. He was able to get in and out of here. I don't think he spent more than 20 minutes here and he got all five locks addressed. However, sometimes some of the material in trying to discern what is a covered versus a not covered service is time-consuming. A couple of instances, I had to reach out and make a call to AHS and say, "Would this be classified as a covered service?" I would describe the problem before I’d even place the call or set up a dispatch.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

We called American Home Shield for the air conditioner. We weren't getting the heat upstairs. The repairman who came knows his job. I'm satisfied. The problem is the house is quite large. I should buy some insulations and insulate the part out where the heat is leaving from the fan going upstairs and the basement. Also, there is another area near the front door where we have to close the shutters so that we can allow more hot air to go upstairs. Upstairs, you can feel the heat coming up. The repairman checked that. But still, it's not as warm as the living room. By the end of this month, I will contact him if the upstairs bedrooms aren't getting warm.

American Home Shield Company Information