Call toll free
4.11/5
Based on 10,639 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. We service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (1)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Home Shield has decades of experience serving homeowners. While you will pay more for add-on coverage, overall AHS has one of the most comprehensive coverage plans available at a reasonable rate.

PROS

• Customizable coverage available
  • Choose your own service call fee
  • Comprehensive coverage
  • Serves most areas

CONS

• Not available in Alaska
  • Covering pools and spas costs extra

Top American Home Shield Reviews

03/03/2019

I submitted a claim with American Home Shield online and I had the contract process started within an hour. It was very easy. The contractor […] identified the issue and fixed everything within an hour.

05/09/2019

We just noticed there was weird water pressure and leaking so we called. The contractor was great. They called right away and got a plumber here the next day and first thing in the morning and then fixed it.

American Home Shield plans

American Home Shield services are available in five plan options for home warranty coverage:

• Appliances Plan: Covers 10 common home appliances, like refrigerators and dishwashers.
  • Systems Plan: Covers 11 of the biggest home systems, like heating, cooling and electric.
  • Combo Plan: Covers all systems covered in both the Systems and Appliances plans.
  • Build Your Own Plan: Select up to 10 items of your choice from either the systems or appliance list to build a customized plan and get coverage for only what you need.
  • Electronics Plan: AHS offers an Electronics Plan by Arusion® that acts as an extended warranty for the repair or replacement of electronics such as televisions, computers and laptops, smart home products, gaming systems and home theater systems.

American Home Shield coverage

American Home Shield offers coverage for the most common household systems and major appliances. Most homeowners should find coverage for what they need via one of the company’s pre-set plans or by creating their own through the company’s customizable “Build Your Own Plan” option, which is something over home warranty providers do not offer.

Systems covered:

• Air conditioning w/ ductwork
  • Heating w/ ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbing (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters

• Pool
  • Spa
  • Well pump
  • Septic pump
  • Guest Unit (less than 750 sq ft.)

American Home Shield cost

On average, American Home Shield costs $60 per month for their most popular “combo” plan. American Home Shield typically bills homeowners monthly. Your total monthly cost will vary depending on which plan and service call fee you select. The trade service call fee is the amount you pay for each service or repair visit. American Home Shield prices are on the higher end of average for the industry, but still pretty comparable overall, especially considering the level of coverage provided.

AHS allows customers to choose a higher trade service call fee in favor of a lower monthly payment. This can be a good choice if you don’t anticipate needing many repairs throughout the year. If you live in an older house where things are more prone to break down, though, you may want to opt for the lowest service call fee. Your monthly fee will be slightly higher, but you should make up the difference by paying the smaller service fee.

PlanService Call FeeAverage Monthly Cost
Appliances$125 per call$34.99 (or $420 per year)
Systems$125 per call$34.99 (or $420 per year)
Combo$125 per call$44.99 (or $540 per year)
Build your own$125 per call$39.99 (or $480 per year)
Prices quoted for Houston, Texas, less applicable sales tax. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing for your location.

38052 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 22, 2019

My pool pump stopped and whenever the guy that services my pool came by, he said, “Your pump is not working.” His company, Cowtown Pools, did my cleaning and they’ve serviced my pool for a number of years. They always do me a good job. That’s why I requested them. They know me and they know my equipment. We had a technician come out and confirmed that it was a pool pump, and so he replaced it, and they were all paid the service fee. My experience with them went well. They repaired the pool pump and did it within a convenient time without any problems and difficulty. They did a good job and everything is working fine. This past week, I had to have two flush valves replaced and the plumbers were F6 out of Alvarado, and they did me a really good job.

I also had my thermostat that went out at the same time. So, the next day, I used some air conditioning people. They used to be with American Home Shield. That’s how I found them. But they're no longer with them. But they did my checkups and things, and he found that my thermostat was not working. I called American Home Shield and told them that all of my equipment was working and that they thought that it was in the thermostat. They called Baxter Air Conditioning and Heating here in Mansfield. Their response was quick, which was good. I had a good experience with them. They replaced the thermostat and it's working within a short period of time. So, those experiences recently have been very good. However, I had a real serious, uncomfortable, undesirable, terrible experience with AHS and with the plumbers they sent out. I was really, really upset and concerned about what happened.

Back in January, we had a plumbing problem. My sinks stopped up and both our sinks in our master bathroom were stopped up. They were clogged and it was awful. I called AHS the next day and I told them that we had a problem. They said, “Okay. Your plumber will be SDL, and they're out of Seagoville.” They had a plumber come out the very next day and he came out with a little hand Roto-Rooter. We had cleaned out underneath both the cabinets so that he could get through, but he never even looked underneath the cabinets at the sinks. He tried his little hand rooter and said, “I'm gonna have to go down through the vents.” Then he came back and said, “Well, I can't get through the vents. You're gonna have to have somebody come in here and go down, and it's gonna cost $589.”

I called AHS and talked to a guy and he said, “Yeah. These are good people. They really do a good job. I'll have somebody go to him. This is what has to be done and what needs to be done. You're gonna have to pay that. American Home Shield will not cover that. That’s your expense.” So the guy came out, and he had brought a supervisor from SDL. And they couldn’t get down through the vents, so they said, “Well, we're gonna have to go underneath the slab. We're gonna have to do a lot of work. And it's gonna cost you $6,000.” He was gonna send him out the next day or so to do some stuff. But AHS said they needed to get a second opinion, which was smart. I'd give them credit for that.

And so, AHS sent this guy from F6, the ones that I used for recently from Alvarado. And the guy walked in there and I told him what was going on. He said, “Let me show you how to unstop a sink.” He got his Roto-Rooter out, his snake, and then within an hour or less, he had everything completely cleaned out and working wonderfully. The other contractor was gonna try to charge $6,000 for all this other stuff. And thank goodness, the person in authorization department said they needed to get a second opinion. If you go online and look at the SDL plumbing company out of Seagoville and read their reviews, you'll notice that most of them are all negative. It is a scam, con company.

I said to AHS authorization department that I needed to be reimbursed. They said, “Well, that’s between you and the plumbing company.” And I was out of $589 for nothing. They were trying to scam me for $6,000. Now, I'm not making any accusations when I make this remark. It sounds to me like somebody, somewhere is getting a kickback. The guy in the AHS authorization department was the one that recommended and confirmed with the plumber that going down through the vents was needed to be done. So, someone should be held responsible.

I wasn’t happy about not being reimbursed. I've been an AHS customer for 16 years but I'm now considering looking at other companies to do the kind of warranties like this. Nevertheless, I'm pleased with F6, the plumbers that I got this last time. I'm pleased with the air conditioning guy too. I still stay with AHS because it's a heck of a mess to try to change over and get things. But I told the people in the authorization department, “Don’t ever recommend SDL to me again. Those people are crooks.” And some of the reviews that you read online will say the same thing, almost identical to what I had said. The authorization department is responsible for that. They need look at reviews and say, “This is a good vendor or this is a poor vendor.”

I have called in before and I know the service people that do a good job and those who don’t. And they said, “Well, this is the one that pops up, and we can't send them out.” And I said, “Look. I'm your customer. I know who is good and who is not.” American Home Shield had sent me some smart people in the past. And I said, “Look. They know me. They know my equipment, etc,” and they finally would agree and would send the people I requested but I've had them to argue with me. Now, many of them have been very courteous, very kind and considerate, but some of them have been downright almost ugly.

However, I'm still upset over the fact that I was encouraged to have someone go down through the vents, which cost me nearly $600 for nothing. Somebody needs to get with SDL and straighten them out, or AHS needs to drop them as a vendor. They should be made by AHS to make that reimbursement. But they're not gonna do it because of the fact that that guy in the AHS authorization department said, “We're not gonna be responsible for this. It's between you and the plumber.” And that’s their cover. And so, I don’t think I'll ever recover that $589, which I'm not happy about. I'm a retired senior citizen on a fixed income so that's fair. I'm not really angry at American Home Shield. I'm disappointed though that they didn’t try to do more, didn’t try to go to the company. And if they continue to recommend people to use that company, in my opinion, AHS does not go as high as it used to.

Recently, I called in and asked for Cowtown Pools and they said, “We can't send anybody." I talked to Cowtown Pools and I was told, “Well, just call back and tell them that we can take them.” I called back, and AHS said, “No, We're not gonna do that.” That happened with Cowtown. So, I just waited until Monday and called back. And I got through quick, and they were fine. Also, this last situation with replacing the flush valves in my bathrooms and then replacing thermostat went through great, and so I do give an A plus on those experiences.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2019

My clothes washer went bad a while back and when American Home Shield sent out a guy, the gentleman did not have a good attitude. He came and looked at my washing machine for a couple of minutes. He then told me that I have been putting in a little bit too much soap in this type of machine, which requires very little. I told him that I put in a full cap of detergent and that it was what I have always done in my machine. He said that when I do that, the soap gets into the bearings and dry them out, and eventually, things go bad. I said that I would pay attention to that from then on. He left. When he made a report, he told AHS that I have been putting in too many clothes into the washer and it ruined the machine.

I waited for a few days and I didn’t hear anything. I called AHS and I was told that I was rejected. I overloaded my machine and they would not be covering that. I told them what he said to me and they said that they were not gonna do it. I told them that the guy didn't even look at the machine. So, I demanded that a second person come out. AHS made a big deal and I had to go through supervisors until I finally got one who said that they will provide me with a second opinion but I would also have to pay the $75. I was happy to pay that because I have trouble figuring out which the problem was. I called two other clothes washer people and asked if there was a way for them to determine whether or not I put too much clothes, which I didn't. At that time, I was single and so, I didn’t. Both guys said there was no way to tell that.

AHS finally had another guy come out and he determined that the machine was a little over seven years old and the part that attaches to the drum on the inside is like a flywheel and it spins. It wore out and it’s normal wear and tear. When the guy sent in his report, they immediately ordered new parts. However, it cost me $75. I don't want him to ever to come to my house again.

A few months later, my dishwasher caused a $60,000 damage in my house. I had to have a technician through AHS come out and take a look at what was going on. Right after the guy got here, I walked in. He asked me if I had any water come out. I said no but I got mold on the side of the dishwasher, so there must be something leaking. We needed to figure out what was going on that caused that and how bad it was, so I can determine if I'm gonna pay for it myself, or have my insurance company pay for it. So, he unscrewed a few screws, leaned in and said that he couldn’t work on it because there was too much mold back there, which I could accept. As he was doing that, I realized this was the same guy. He did his little evaluation and said there was too much mold.

I called AHS again and told them that I asked them not to ever send this gentleman and his company back to my house again. The rep said that they don’t look at anything. I asked him if there was no way to manage whether or not they would order the technician back, out of all the people in my area. They said they would make another note of it and hopefully, they would pay attention. They eventually sent me out another guy, as soon as we got to the point where the mold was gone, and we got the problem solved. I never should have had to pay the $75. The technician was not very competent and he was asking me how I could afford my house and things of that nature.

When they finally did the dishwasher, they charged me twice but they reimbursed it. There was a problem with the collection of the money. I always authorize the $75 once the job is done. If the guy doesn't show, I don't owe them. The other day, I got an email saying that AHS was processing the $75. That was the day before the guy was due to be here. I called and asked why they were doing that. They said that the email just went out but they didn’t go ahead. I checked my bank and they have not done it.

Recently, when we connected the door, the door started running again. So, there was a glitch. I disconnected it so that I can manually pull it and I couldn't figure out how to put it back together. The technician from Active Garage Door came out, connected the door back to the motor and as soon as we did that, it ran and it’s still running. He went over a few things and he did his job. So, I’m very satisfied with what he did. I may have had some problems but I'm still with AHS. All I want is somebody to reasonably cover my stuff and be able to do it smoothly. So, hopefully, that means something to them down the road because I always pay on time. There's never an issue about the money. I pay both the regular fee and the $75, whatever is due. I want them to treat me like they want me to treat them. With AHS, the work gets done and when we get down to the nitty gritty, they have skilled people.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I needed to assess where my septic tanks were located on a property I purchased with my wife back in July of 2018. The gentleman who came out were 10 minutes early and they were very accommodating. The guys that were there were consummate professionals and they literally knew how to answer all of my questions. I wanted to better understand how septic tanks work, how often they needed to be serviced and where they were located. You could tell that they were incredibly comfortable with their line of work and that this wasn't just a summer job for them. It seemed like it was a family-owned business and that they really took a lot of pride and integrity in the work and the service that they provided. So, I was very, very happy with them.

Since I've been with American Home Shield, I've made claims on the property and Grease Trappers was the best experience that I had. I had another one that was decent with Fox Locks out of Gurnee through rekeying the house and the other good one that I had was with the garage door corporation. Those three experiences were incredible and then three of the experiences that I had were terrible. Either of these guys that came out were rock stars or they came out and were very unapologetic and late.

There was a gentleman with a plumbing company who came out to take a look at my house. There was one leak in particular that was causing my wife and I not to be able to live in the house so, I have been in a hotel with my wife and my two children for the last month and a half. I haven't said anything because I don't know who to complain to. There was one pipe that was leaking and it stemmed from underneath the master bathroom Jacuzzi tub. It was leaking into the family room and living room area. So, I couldn't install the flooring in my house that I would like to install. I couldn't move in my furniture, which means we couldn't stay there as a family. I mentioned this to the plumber that came in and he recommended that I do some things with my plumbing system. He did the diagnosis of the house and checked what was around.

I asked him if his company would be interested in tackling the project since they were a licensed plumber in the area. I assumed this was a $40,000 to $60,000 job and I would be willing to hire their company to take care of it. He said no and that it was more efficient for him to take 10 American Home Shield calls because whether or not he does any work, he gets paid on them. It was more profitable for him at his age to take all of the 10 calls from American Home Shield at $75 or $100 a call, rather than stressing himself out about a large project where he has to hire a crew. He was giving me advice, but then he was not backing it up with anything. He was just telling me what I needed to do and then he was leaving. So, he didn't fix anything nor did he even open the drywall even when I offered to pay to have the drywall repaired because I had another contractor on site.

So, I asked for a second opinion and a new plumber came out. I took a lunch break from my work, I drove about 35 miles north and I sat there for an hour and a half waiting for the second plumber to come out. He never showed up. So, I called American Home Shield and they were able to get ahold of the plumber who called back and lied to AHS. He said he tried to call me and left a voicemail. I told him that was not true and that if he tried to call me and I missed his call, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I never received a voicemail, and I was sitting in the driveway when he was telling me that.

I asked the AHS person what the deal was and she said she was gonna send them out. I told her that I was not gonna be here but I would see if I can get one of my family members who are in the area to come meet with him. So, my cousin who happens to be a contractor himself went with them on site on my behalf which took 40 minutes out of his day. We spoke to that guy and rather than going and assessing the work, apologizing about being late and doing what he needed to do, he took some of the notes from the last gentleman, even though American Home Shield says that he doesn't have any visibility to those notes. He had some level of visibility because before he even assessed anything in the unit, he literally just copied what the last guy said verbatim. He said there was nothing he could do, it wasn’t covered and it was a preexisting condition. Then, he left.

American Home Shield is a fantastic company and the portal is easy to use. Everything that they are doing at this point is right but I wish they would hear us out as the people filing the claim. There was more benefit of the doubt given to those who were calling in to complain about their experiences with these other people. We have no reason nor incentives to misguide them. There were two plumbers that didn't want to do their jobs and that was a bad experience but then, I’ve had good experiences. It was hit and miss and it’s who American Home Shield has contracted with. Some of the guys were awesome and some were just awful. When the guys are awesome, we’ll let them know as well as when the guys are bad. There are people who are getting a lot of complaints or the companies that are receiving a lot of complaints and AHS may wanna consider dropping them and finding another contractor in the area.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My dryer was not heating and then it won't shut off. I put in a request through American Home Shield online and I paid my $75 copay. I got a text saying they would be contacting me within 24 hours. Then, the next text message said the appointment was scheduled for which was Thursday between 11:00 and 3:00 with Clark's Appliance repairs. Then, they said that if I had any questions, I could respond to that SMS text message. So I responded and asked if they were coming out to diagnose or to actually fix it. My concern was that they were gonna come out and just diagnose the dryer and then leave for another week. Nobody ever responded.

Then, that Thursday, my daughter and I were home all day and between 11:00 and 3:00, I did not go anywhere. I waited for the guy to show up, but I never got a confirmation phone call or text about the appointment. I never talked to the person ever. I didn't even have a conversation with them except through text. 3 o'clock rolls around, the end of our window, and I had things I needed to do. I didn't know if the guy was coming and if I was still on his schedule book. So I called the number that was sent through the text originally. It went to voicemail and said that Clark's appliance repair was busy with a client and on the message, it said if I couldn't leave a message, then text. I left a message saying my appointment was between 11:00 and 3:00 and asked if anybody was coming that day. I also sent a text. The guy texted back asking for my address.

I sent him my address and he said he was going to a call out in Chandler and then he would be coming to Mesa. By that time it was 3:30 and I had to leave to go pick up my husband at the airport. Chandler is like over half an hour away from where I live anyway. We were talking 4:00 or 5:00 o'clock traffic and I had no idea how long he was gonna be at that call. I told him I needed to leave and go pick someone over in the airport and I would be back. I asked if it worked with his time frame. He said he would call when he was on his way and if he couldn't make it that day, then we would reschedule for tomorrow. It sounded great. I was on my way to the airport and at 4:00, Clark's appliance repairs texted me he was not gonna make and he would schedule me for the following day.

I asked what was his anticipated time frame for the following day because I am a nurse and I work night and I sleep during the day. I took Thursday off, so that I could be up all day long with him being here. He asked what time I go to sleep. I said that I sleep at noon and all he texted back was, "Sounds good." He said he would be here before then. I asked what time because if he was talking 11:45 and he was gonna be here for an hour diagnosing the problem, then that means I don't get to sleep till 1:45 and I have to get up at 4:00, so that doesn't work for me. He said he had an appointment and he had to go out to Apache Junction first before he comes to me. So, not only was everybody put before me on Thursday, now we were rolling into the second day and he was still putting people before me. And I was supposed to be on between 11:00 and 3:00 on Thursday.

He never called, he never said he was running late, nothing until I finally reach out to him and said, "What's the deal?" I texted him and said that he seemed really busy. I told him to go ahead and just cancel my work order with American Home Shield because I have already taken a day off and I couldn't take another day off Friday. I said I was gonna have to call and schedule a different appointment. He said he would cancel my work order with American Home Shield. He wished me luck finding somebody to fix it by the end of the following week instead of the following day. That was the last time I heard from him. He didn't text or anything else after that.

AHS has always been great. I've been a customer of theirs for 15 years. I was a real estate agent and I use to buy a home warranty for American Home Shield for all my clients. So, I've never had a problem with American Home Shield, but he was not professional or appropriate in any way. He did not reach out. If he at least, let me know, "Hey I'm running behind," then I could have made different arrangements to get my husband picked up from the airport. But he didn't even do that. He didn't give me any time frames.

The next day, I called American Home Shield and explained that situation that I've already paid $75 copay, I couldn't go back online and request service again without having to pay another $75 copay. And the guys never showed up and then didn't get in touch with me until later in the evening when I texted him, still never called and I need to get my dryer fixed. I was on the phone with the first lady, she hung up on me with American Home Shield.

Then I called back and talked to the second lady. I explained the situation again and while I was in the phone with her, she asked if she could put me on a brief hold and try to find a vendor in my area. I said, "Sure." So while I was on hold, they called him. She said that Clark's Appliance repair called her and he told her he had been out to my house twice on Thursday. He said I told him I had to go pick somebody up in the airport and he would try to reschedule to come back later in the afternoon and that I couldn't reschedule it. Everything he said was a total lie. None of it was true.

I have all the text messages and times conversation of when I actually had the conversation with him and I never received a phone call from him. My daughter and I were here all day. I even texted my neighbor next door and said I had to leave and go pick my husband up from the airport. My daughter was gonna be here by herself and she knew to let the guy in to fix the dryer. I have all these on text, times, dates stamp, everything, and this guy completely lied. AHS said that he said the job was done and he has completed the work order. And I canceled it, but completed the work order and was sending a bill to American Home Shield anyway even though he never came to fix it. We would have known if he would have even come and knock on the door. Even if we were in the back of the house, we would have known if someone was at the door.

I still don't have a dryer. I took today off again because I'm here today, between 12:00 and 6:00, somebody named Jarred is supposed to be here to diagnose my dryer, not fix it, and then, they're gonna have to order the part. And God knows when they'll be back to fix it. So, I'm going on four weeks now without a dryer. I'm a little bit frustrated but the second lady that I talked to with American Home Shield was very helpful and very understanding. She put in a whole new work order so that I wouldn't have to pay another $75 copay to have somebody come out and fix my dryer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My toilet downstairs kept flooding my living room. When I submitted the claim to American Home Shield, I listed it as plumbing but told them that I thought that the toilet kept making a weird noise. The first contractor was Home Services of the Triad and a guy named Michael came out. He thought he fixed it but it shocked me that when he first came in to the house and he looked at the toilet and seen where it had flooded or exploded, it was the toilet but it was the bowl and it was not the base or the tank. Michael didn’t touch anything and he immediately told me that it was not covered.

He knew how to fix the problem, though, but he would have to pull the toilet up and then I would have to pay him an additional fee. I was trying to get the problem fixed and I agreed. As he pulled up the toilet, I went upstairs and I contacted American Home Shield. They only have people working for them who knew exactly the issues and if it wasn’t listed under my warranty, that contract should be able to tell me that it wasn’t. So, with that confirmation from AHS, I took it as that and I wouldn’t have to pay the guy. Then, Michael told me that everything was fixed and I shouldn’t have any more issues or problems. But three days later, it started happening again.

I recontacted the plumber company because if it wasn’t listed in the contract, then I figured American Home Shield wasn’t gonna be able to help me. But Home Services of the Triad contacted American Home Shield warranty because I was listed as a client with AHS. Another technician came, his name was Bryan. It was an actual emergency and not just that, I had to pay American Home Shield for the deductible fee even though it was denied and I ended up having to pay Michael. With me paying Michael, I thought that justified my services whatever needed to be done and it still wasn’t fixed, that they will come back out and they did not.

Before Bryan came out, Michael called me and asked what they said was wrong. I said the same thing happened which he said was crazy because he had fixed it. He wanted me to call him back and let him know what Bryan would say. In the meantime, someone told me that Michael was supposed to contact American Home Shield, let them know his assessment, and then they were supposed to call me and explain to me why his services was not covered. He did not do that and I didn’t know it because that was my second time dealing with AHS, so I didn’t know the process. They still hadn’t got the assessment that Michael had denied American Home Shield based off of my contract saying that it was not warrantied.

Bryan was nice. He came through the kitchen sink and he brought in a roto-rooter or snake and tried to clear the line that way. But no one could tell me what was clogging up the line. Michael and Bryan said that we should not use feminine products and flush. My daughter is 24 years old and I am 42 and I have a 17 year old, so we all know not to flush feminine products. But then they never could find anything in the line. Bryan thought he had flushed out the line and told me everything should be running smooth. But in four or five days, I had to get another appointment because it flooded again.

At this point, they still had not gotten the information back from Michael why the service was denied. And I think he didn’t deny services or turn in an assessment because he knew he took my money. The only thing that AHS did was credit me my money because the third plumber that I called was not with AHS but was based off of me looking into Google. I already had three floods by this time. They offered getting a confirmation from a different company and asked if a second opinion would make me feel better. The guy who came out showed me the clean-out pipe is directly in the bathroom where the flood was happening and he did the roto-rooter or the snake through that drain. That was the whole point why Michael denied my services and he charged me. But American Home Shield sent me a check for the amount that I paid to cover those expenses because he lied, he took my money, and it still was not fixed.

But the guy could not produce anything to show me why my bathroom was clogged up or why it was flooding as well. American Home Shield sent another company out, Advanced Appliance. When they came out, I did not like that they told me they set up an appointment with me and as it got closer towards the end of the day, I ended up contacting them to see what time the plumber was coming. They told me that they forgot and that the plumber was not there. He had called out that day and so he wasn’t gonna come. That was on a Monday morning.

They rescheduled me for a Friday and when that day came, they said that plumber was sick and was not there. Again, they didn’t call me and let me know that the plumber was not coming. I ended up calling again and they told me the plumber was not coming because he was sick. He was sick where he went to the hospital which I understood. But I thought their customer service reps would contact me and let me know.

I asked to speak to the supervisor because even if that was the only plumber that has the scope that can go down and look at the drain and see what’s clogging or blocking up the pipe, I felt like someone should have contacted me and let me know. The rep didn’t let me speak to the supervisor but she tried to sweeten me over. She told me that someone would come out and I had to wait again to the following Tuesday morning. I had to wait a whole week and when the plumber came out, he used the scope but didn’t fix the issue. He took pictures and that was it. I haven’t contacted American Home Shield. I don’t even know if it’s gonna happen again because we don’t know what made it happen in the first three times.

The contractors that AHS used, especially the first one who completely did me wrong, put a bad taste in my mouth and there has to be a little bit more checking on these contractors. Other than that, American Home Shield to me has been absolutely the best with customer service trying to help me get these issues fixed. Overall, I would recommend them to a friend and I’ve done that. I’ve shared it on my Facebook page and my Instagram pages because I really like them. I’m the president of the HOA out here in my neighborhood and I’ve told other homeowners about American Home Shield.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: July 19, 2019

There was an issue with our air conditioning unit and our ceiling was dripping. We called American Home Shield and made a claim. They were pretty easy to get ahold of. The contractor we were assigned to canceled on us a couple of times. Initially, I canceled on our contractor because I read some bad reviews online with the Better Business Bureau. But they ended up coming out and they did a good job. They could have done as good as they could do. You never know what's gonna happen in the future though. No one could promise that the problem was totally resolved. But I'm not seeing any dripping. Overall, American Home Shield tried but I wasn't as impressed with all the vendors they choose. They're okay, but they're not the best vendors. However, I can understand AHS' business model.

Good Morning,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences with AHS. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you and we look forward to our continued business together. Enjoy your day.

Original review: July 16, 2019

My whole experience has been difficult. Steve Nance Appliance was fabulous. It wasn’t them. It was American Home Shield. But I'm a Realtor and I understand that a customer is paying approximately $700 for a home warranty when the potential of risk there for American Home Shield to lose money is huge. So, they have to go through a process to make sure that all claims are legit. I totally get it but it just takes forever to navigate the process. When you have a washing machine that’s broken, it’d be nice if they had a different way to get through that that didn’t take so long. Also, my AC is broken and it should be covered, but it's not. The guy who came out said there was something else wrong than what the guy who called me said, but there again, I see their status. They’ve already spent more than they’ve gotten fixing my things. There is value to their warranty, but it's exhausting.

Original review: July 13, 2019

A/C wasn't working properly and AHS got a company same day to fix the problem. Cool and Cozy came within hours of call and repaired it right away and it has been working great. Highly recommend both AHS and Cool and Cozy!!

Helen,

Original review: July 12, 2019

My air conditioning unit was blowing, but it was blowing hot. I went online and filed my first claim with American Home Shield and doing it was extremely easy. And after that, the contractor came in less than 24 hours. He was very professional, very kind, took the time to make sure everything was done exactly by the book, and did not leave until he knew everything was done and it was cleaned up. I've referred American Home Shield to three other people since signing up.

Jeffrey,

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with AHS is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I have been an AHS customer since 2012. In all these years I have not had such a horrible experience until December 2018 when I requested a service for my cooktop and microwave. It is July 2019 now and the appliances are still not fixed. They have already charged me for the service visit but no one has visited me. They have closed the service claiming that the service provider visited me but I was not available. They are also unable to provide me a proof that I was contacted and I cancelled the appointment. It’s as simple as a case of them duping me of my money.

Good Morning Mitul,

I understand you were not happy with the outcome of your experience with AHS. I have sent an email to you hoping to engage more toward a resolution for your issue. Please respond to that email for further assistance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I have been a member of American Home Shield for 10 years and the first time I need help with my air conditioner, they are making me use a vendor that is stealing $900 from me. I put a claim in and Freedom Heating and Cooling came out and said I would need 12 pounds of Freon at $100 a pound and that I would need to pay $600 for modifications for a total of $1800. Then American Home Shield contacted me with the cost and said I would need 9 pounds of Freon and said they could get the bill down to $1460. Right there, Freedom Heating and Cooling was trying to steal $300 from me. I requested a second opinion, which I paid for, and found out that I also didn't need the $600 of modifications. This was after 22 calls to American Home Shield. After the second vendor said he could fix the problem for $540, I was ecstatic. He reported this to AHS and AHS said they didn't care, I still needed to use the first vendor.

I am not going to pay an extra $900 for the same service. I have not had air for 6 weeks and I have four Siberian Huskies that have suffered greatly through this including kennel cough because of where I tried to board them. I also have mold growing in the house due to using an attic fan during wet conditions. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and I am still waiting to hear back from them on this issue. I have also sent two certified letters to the president of AHS and I have not hear anything back from them as well. I have logged over 30 phone calls to them and still no air.

Good afternoon Teri,

I am saddened to hear that your experience with AHS was not satisfactory. I will look into this matter and follow up with you as soon as possible in an effort to assist you with a resolution. Thanks for your patience.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I am now waiting for a month for my refrigerator to be repaired, and I have been referred to 2 contractors who showed up once and never returned. I have spent over 6 hours on the phone and have nothing to show for it but discarded spoiled food. My dissatisfaction with American Home Shield is immense. I have over 60 contract years with this company... I deserve, anyone deserves, BETTER. Sadly, I wish I could say that this is a unique event. It is not.

Good Morning Kraig,

I am saddened to hear that your experience with AHS was not satisfactory. I have sent an email to you hoping to engage more toward a resolution for your issue. Please respond to that email for further assistance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We started experiencing warm air blowing out of our upstairs air conditioner and called AHS for service. They sent out Central Air Conditioning and Heating who told us there was no issue despite leaking from the system in the attic and ice on the air conditioning coils. So we had to call a second time and have another person from this company come out who found an issue with the condenser and changed it but the problem persisted. We called an outside company to perform annual maintenance on our two air conditioners and he showed us where our upstairs unit was not getting enough power and confirmed that is was still leaking extensively. Again we contacted AHS who sent out their contractor once more who confirmed that the unit was not functioning correctly and stated that he could not fix it but would not report that to AHS. Upon contacting AHS they gave us the run around about checking into it and getting back to us but never did.

A week later we contacted AHS again and when the agent again stated he would look into and get back to us we requested to speak to a supervisor and were told they were experiencing a large volume of calls so it would not be possible. We asked for the supervisor to call us back and the agent stated he would “try” to inform him of the request. Meanwhile Central Air Conditioning and Heating will not return our calls nor as we are being told will they respond to AHS. With all this you would think they would contract with a reputable company or get us someone to come out who can accurately diagnose the issue but NO they get the worst of the worst who have horrible reviews across every platform. WE STILL NEED OUR AIR CONDITIONER FIXED!!!!

Terkita,

I am sorry to hear that AHS has not provided a suitable resolution at this time. I have sent an email to you hoping to engage more toward a resolution for your issue. Please respond to that email for further assistance. I look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: July 12, 2019

The contract company did not repair my appliance after 3 attempts and told me it was broken beyond repair, however they marked the work 'completed' with AHS. When I spoke to AHS, the only options available to me were 1) have the same company come out a 4th time or 2) pay another service fee for a different contractor to come out. When I asked about being refunded for my service call, of which the service was not completed, I was told that was not an option. When I asked about a replacement product for my broken one, I was told that is not an option. When I asked to elevate my case and speak with a supervisor, I was put on hold and then told to expect a call back in 1 hour (which I never received). I will not be renewing my warranty based on this experience.

Cory,

Original review: July 12, 2019

Everything is going wonderful with American Home Shield the second time around. Recently, the unit stopped working again and the tray had to be drained from downstairs where the AC unit is. I called and spoke to a representative when I made the claim and it was wonderful. It was easy, fast, simple and there were no complications. The very first rep who came out was a wonderful guy. The contractor told me they would call before they come out, which he did because I was at work. So, I left work when he said he was en route. He was here a few minutes before I got here. He was very thorough and he did a good job. He just probably overlooked the fan but he was a pleasant man. The second guy said I didn't have to be here since my son was here. So, that worked out well. They came back really quick and since then, the AC unit has been cooling the house down.

A few of my neighbors had problems with their AC and I talked to other people whose AC was down. They didn't have the home insurance protection that I have so, theirs was gonna be a little over three grand just to get it up. To redo everything, it was over six grand out of pocket. I told them about AHS and gave them the information.

Good Morning Ericka,

Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your most recent American Home Shield experience. It is our goal to provide our customers with a great experience and team of contractors to complete the repairs. We hope you continue to enjoy!

Original review: July 12, 2019

When my AC wasn't working, I submitted a claim with American Home Shield over the phone. Dealing with their reps was good. They got it on time and pretty quickly and the guy they sent out from Joe Cool's Cooling was great. He's very friendly and he explained the issue. He got the AC fixed. And it has been working so far.

Good evening Chase,

Original review: July 12, 2019

I thought our dishwasher stopped completely. We’re products of the hurricane, and we’re not living in the house right now. But hopefully, either next month or in the month after, we’ll get back in. And I thought it would be a good thing if that dishwasher worked. So, I made a service request online with American Home Shield and the representative was very nice. A service guy from Sears came out to help us. And he came promptly as he said he would. He asked me how old the dishwasher is and what it does not do. I told him it doesn’t work. When he told me to show him what I do, I said, “Well, I push this button, and I push this button.” He then asked if I pushed the on button and I said I did not. He said, “Well, I hear something working now since you pressed the on button.” And I don’t hear well as and I said, “My goodness.” Still, he said, “Please don’t feel badly. I make a lot of service calls, and that happens routinely.” So, I thanked him.

I’ve never had a complaint with American Home Shield. Each and every time we’ve asked for a work order, it’s been done. The agents that they contract with contact us to determine the time is verified. Most cases, I ask them to call a few minutes before they come, and they do. And they’re very neat, very clean, and very polite.

William,

Thanks for letting us know everything worked out great for you. Taking care of our customers is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with the work done. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I submitted a claim online to American Home Shield for the refrigerator since the ice maker was making a noise, freezing up and wasn’t making ice adequately. The contractor wanted to come out the next day that I submitted the request, but I wasn’t off and it was in between work and all that with my work schedule. On the day that I was available, they had an opening so they came over and took care of the issue. I had a part that had to be ordered, so they ordered it and it didn’t take long. It wasn’t even a full week and then, they came back and put the part on. The refrigerator has been working fine. There were two different contractors who came out because they came out two different times and both of them were professional, knowledgeable of the situation and quick. I haven’t had any other issues with the refrigerator and I will recommend AHS.

Good evening Osepha,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with AHS. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you. Our goal is to pair you with the best contractor that will provide a quick and final resolution. We look forward to our continued business together. Enjoy your day.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I was very happy with the American Home Shield rep that I dealt with over the phone. I filed a claim for the oven and the contractor came out quickly. They came out twice. Once to diagnose the oven and then the second time to replace it. The first guy who diagnosed it said that he didn’t have to come out a second time. He said that he didn’t know if they could find the part that we needed because it was an old oven. I also asked if if we could still use it and he said it was safe to use it. But he came back and told me not to use it because he he did a little more testing on it and said that it was heating too high. I’ve never had a guy leave and come back to check out one more thing before he could determine if it was safe to use or not. I was really impressed with that and I appreciated it. And now, the new oven is working great.

Good evening Cindy,

Original review: July 12, 2019

The front door lock wasn't turning even with a key in it. So we had to change it and the rekey guy that American Home Shield sent out was great. He was very professional, efficient, and friendly. He did a good job of making it work without having to buy extra parts for us, which we appreciated quite a bit.

Hi Ryan,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated in regard to your most recent American Home Shield experience. We are glad to hear about the contractor that serviced your home.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I'm very satisfied with my experience with American Home Shield. My most recent claim was an AC repair. They set the claim up. The only thing is South Mississippi's heat index is 105 and when I got a generated email from the service person, it was like, "We would get with you within 24 to 72 hours." But, we were fortunate enough that I just went ahead and called Four Seasons. And they said they got a guy right then in our area. They were slammed, but because he was nearby, he could come on by. So, they were gracious enough to get on out, get us repaired, and get us back up and going. So, we really appreciate them with a full schedule making time to get us going.

The tech that came out was super nice. And he asked me if I checked the breakers, so I told him that was the first thing I did and made sure that all of that was good. I've got background in construction. So, I know a little bit about HVAC. And so, he said, "Okay, great. Because you'd be surprised, sometimes, we come out, it's just the breakers." He pulled off the cover, and tested the capacitor. He said I had a bad capacitor and he changed it out within just a short amount of time. He was in and out.

Good afternoon Kenneth,

Original review: July 12, 2019

My air conditioner wasn’t running. I called American Home Shield and reported it on the weekend. The contractor came on Monday and they were able to resolve it that same day. An animal had gotten into the air conditioner and so it had been shut down for safety. And then, I paid them to put additional Freon in it. It was a great experience.

Kay,

Original review: July 12, 2019

My toilet was filling very slowly. And when I went to shut off my water valve on and off, it wasn’t working properly, so I knew I needed to get that taken care of. I did an online claim with American Home Shield. I never had any difficulties doing that with them. Filing a claim is the simplest thing ever. As for the toilet issue, I was contacted within 24 hours and the contractor was here within 48 hours which was not very long at all. B&L was great. Their contractor did a great job. He was fast and thorough, and I wasn’t disappointed in any way, shape or form. And my toilet issue’s completely gone. Overall, in the last year, I had one negative experience with them, and four positive experiences. I actually let my membership lapse with them. I’m looking for another home warranty company because I wasn’t satisfied with the one exchange that we had.

Original review: July 12, 2019

We had a house that we moved in just repainted and all redone. The ductwork that was up in the ceiling was cleaned and then put back together after it was painted. We've been in the house four months and the paint started to stain originally, but then it got saturated and it turned into molding and deteriorated the drywall. I filed a claim to American Home Shield and the ductwork was looked at by the contractor. There has not been adequate amount of insulation around that and it caused condensation which then got into the drywall which caused that damage.

My wife was there with the contractor and she said it was a very good experience. The tech had to go in the attic, which was very hot, and then did the work. He was very professional and he explained to her the concern of what it was and how he was gonna repair that and what she needs to keep an eye on if there would be any further damage or anything. Since then, it has been really good.

We've used American Home Shield a few times and the individuals that came from their third-party contractors or the contractors that have come have all succeeded in fixing the issues. We've had very good success with the transitions, meaning that if we make a phone call, they're very quick to respond with a text or email and then able to get us the right contractors to come and repair the things on the first time.

Good evening Dean,

Thank you for the feedback about the service issue regarding the ductwork.

Original review: July 12, 2019

The shower was leaking and I submitted the claim to American Home Shield. I did it over the phone and we got an email saying when the contractor would be out. When he arrived, he was professional. There was a faulty cartridge that had to be replaced and since the repairs, we haven’t had issues. It was internal so, we’re not having the same problem we had. I don’t see any leak now so, I’m assuming everything’s okay.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I submitted a claim online to AHS when our air conditioner wasn't working. Their website was user-friendly. The contractors were out the next day. They were very professional, courteous and they did a really good job. It was a pretty major repair. It took a little bit of construction work to take doorframes off and stuff to get to it. And we were very pleased with them. We’ve also had a good experience with AHS now that we could submit a request for service online. Before, when we had to call, we were on hold for over an hour sometimes. But since we can do it online now, it’s pretty convenient.

Good evening Dana,

Original review: July 12, 2019

I submitted a claim with American Home Shield for my air conditioning that wasn’t turning on at all. I did it over the phone and it was simple. United Air came out the same day that I filed the claim. They were outstanding. They were fast, courteous and professional.

Good evening Antonio,

We strive to provide you with a great team of contractors and an even better customer service experience. We hope you continue to enjoy your AHS warranty!

Original review: July 12, 2019

I like American Home Shield. I do everything online when submitting a claim. I get an email back right away, telling me who is gonna be assigned to me and the telephone number. And then after they call me, I get an appointment. Everything works really well. Whoever did their programming was really good. I had an AC problem. The service they did was fine. It just took them a long time. The contractors got here a week in the hottest time of the year. But the contractors were fine.

Hi Paul,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated in regard to your most recent American Home Shield experience. We are glad to hear about the contractor that serviced your air conditioner system. It is our goal to provide each customer with the best experience.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I'm selling my home and the buyer inspected and found a couple of items. So I called American Home Shield to file a claim and explained my situation. The whole process was very easy and seamless. I got text and emails from them. Everything was right on the money as far as timing and communication. The attic fan wasn't working and the contractor diagnosed that it wasn't repairable. It needed to be replaced. So they were in communication with American Home Shield to give the authorization for them to order the fan and proceed with it. And it was pretty quick. The same day that American Home Shield got the request from them, they approved it. And then, I got an appointment scheduled, and they installed it this morning.

The people who came out were professional. They were very nice and courteous. The guy who came in today noticed that my house was ready for sale, and he spent a lot of time cleaning his feet before he even came in the house. These people pick up on those little things. It was a tremendous experience overall. I purchased a property in Florida and we got American Home Shield there as well.

Joseph,

Original review: July 12, 2019

Everything has been good thus far with American Home Shield. I had a service call for my refrigerator which had an icing and water problem. I had an excellent experience with their rep. The contractor sent by AHS fixed the water dispenser problem. However, the tech said that they cannot try to fix the freezer as it could break the back and the part. He said that it had to be thawed for a couple of days and that things should be okay once I defrost the refrigerator for 48 hours.

He also said I have to open the doors, take everything out and that should rectify the problem. However, I don’t wanna defrost the freezer and refrigerator until I freeze up a lot of stuff, otherwise I’m gonna have leaks for 48 hours. I don’t know where to put the frozen food. Still, I'm satisfied with how they put the new part in for the water dispenser.

Hi Joseph,

I am glad to hear about your customer service experience and the refrigerator repairs that were completed. I hope you continue to enjoy your warranty with American Home Shield.

American Home Shield’s coverage exclusions

A home warranty is intended to be a safeguard against the normal wear and tear of common home systems and appliances. Home warranties do not cover structural issues, personal belongings or damage caused by natural disasters. Those types of issues are generally covered by homeowners insurance. In addition, American Home Shield’s warranty does not cover routine maintenance, cosmetic defects or system or appliance upgrades.

In some cases, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. For example, garage door openers are covered under the combo plan, but the door and door track assemblies are not.

American Home Shield’s coverage limits

A coverage limit is the maximum dollar amount a home warranty company is willing to pay out per item or per contract term. As a customer, you would be responsible to pay for any amount over the cap. In some cases, if the cost to replace an item is above the cap, the company may offer to provide a cash payout to the customer. You would then be responsible for making up the difference and replacing the item yourself.

ItemAHS coverage limit
AppliancesUp to $3,000 per covered item
Air conditioning and heating unitsUp to $1,500 per contract term
PlumbingUp to $1,000 per contract term
Well pumpUp to $1,500 per contract term
All other systemsNo cap specified

American Home Shield claims

Getting your appliances and systems serviced by American Home Shield is a straight-forward process managed through an online portal.

1. Submit a claim via American Home Shield’s online portal.
  2. Choose to pay your service call fee immediately or upon completion of service.
  3. Wait for an assigned technician to reach out to schedule your appointment, generally within 24 hours.
  4. Service call takes place.
  5. Payment is processed via the online portal.

American Home Shield has a 60-day service recall period, meaning if you experience the same issue within that time period or the repair wasn’t successful, they will send another technician to your home to address the issue at no additional fee.

American Home Shield FAQ

Does American Home Shield require a home inspection?
No. American Home Shield does not require a home inspection before beginning a home warranty contract.
How do I cancel American Home Shield?
You can call American Home Shield to cancel your contract at any time. Cancel in the first 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancel at any time after 30 days and receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of your term.
Is there a limit on repairs?
No. There is no limit on the number of repairs during a contract period. However, there may be a dollar amount limit per item or per term. Your contract will have these details.

Is American Home Shield worth it?

Whether or not a home warranty is worth it depends on a few factors, chief among them is how much you use it. A home warranty can easily pay for itself with one major repair. Overall, we find that American Home Shield offers good coverage at a fair rate. With its wide-reaching availability and plan variety, American Home Shield should have a plan to suit most homeowners.

American Home Shield Company Information