4.12/5
Based on 5,428 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. Together, with our wholly owned subsidiary, we service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (2)
BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 19, 2018

21275 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I've been with American Home Shield for over a year now and I've had good results so far. I file claims on the phone and they have been good experiences. The reps treat me very well and the technicians have been very good too. I had a heating and air conditioner problem last time and they installed a thermostat. I've given others the program and said how good it was, and they've joined as well.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

The technician sent by American Home Shield was really good. He even helped us with a couple of other things and answered some of our questions. But he said that they can't repair my microwave. Apparently, there are no parts to be bought so it's going to be replaced. But they said that that they need to contact someone to find out what it was. They gave me a number and I called it but I couldn't get through. It didn't seem to work right. And then, they put me on hold and I couldn't do that so I waited a little longer then I called again. The last phone call was about an hour but I know it was Christmastime and I understand everything that's going on back East. Other than waiting, the phone calls were very pleasant. Finally, I got an email from them, saying that they are replacing the microwave and asking me about the dimensions of it. I would tell others about American Home Shield and tell them to get it.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

The water wasn’t getting hot. I called up American Home Shield and made a claim with an automated service. The technicians were willing to go out the next day, but because of the way the tenants' scheduling was, the technicians came out three days later. Everything went out good and they were able to fix it the first time. I recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

The dishwasher wasn’t working and it had something to do with the outlet. That was my one claim with American Home Shield and I did it over the phone. They were very professional and they told me they would take care of me. They were very good. They set up the right time and the gentleman was here on time. He was very pleasant and friendly. He told us not to worry and that he would take care of the problem. He knew what he was doing too. He searched it out, found out what the problem was and took care of it. I haven’t had any more problems with the dishwasher since then. It was a very good experience and I would recommend American Home Shield.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I called American Home Shield for my dishwasher. They were polite and to the point. It was a quick call and everything was fine. The company that they hired called me and I set up an appointment. The technician was terrific and got the job done. I have recommended American Home Shield to several friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

A month ago, I was without a heating so I called American Home Shield. They called the people that we used in the past and the contractor came within that same day. It was pretty quick. They got it partially fixed. Then they had to come back the next couple of days because they had to order another part. Everything was good.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I still have an ongoing service for the pool because one pump broke and their contractor came here, and then the second pump broke and it has been leaking. So, that's in progress. And then I have one claim for the water heater but I’m waiting for the contractor that always tells me he’s going to call me right back but it did not happen. I know they are busy, but I’m going to bug him because this is a tankless water heater and he needs to shut off the water completely.

I submitted my claim on the phone for the second one and I stayed there for a long time, around 45 minutes. I wish they had an option online that would let you add a claim just like the one for the pool. However, the online system only has new claims, but it’s not really a new claim if the contractor has not shown up yet and if something breaks in the meantime for the same system. Also, it doesn’t give you an option to see more details regarding a claim. I wish they can fix that. That’s my only complaint, otherwise, AHS is great. It is a really good company and I would recommend them. Compared to what I had before which was a major homeowner’s insurance, AHS is a lot better. I already talked to my daughter that has my previous company, and she said she’s going to AHS when her contract expires. I would tell my friends to get AHS too.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

We recently filed a claim online with American Home Shield for our heater that wasn't working. I ended up going to the website because I couldn’t get through to anyone on the phone. We were without our heat for over a week. The second contractor that came out was courteous. He came in to take a look at everything and the heater is doing good now.

The service folks that have come out have been good, but we've also had a number of instances where we had folks that came really late at night, past dinner time. With the different communication approach, some contractors were not as professional. We actually requested once to have somebody else to come out. I have been noticing too that I end up going online because I can't get through on the phone. But there aren't specific detailed options online either. It doesn’t get into what the problem is so I've been in a situation wherein I've had a technician and then we had another technician out. I would recommend to others that they check out a couple of places before settling on American Home Shield.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

American Home Shield is a good company. They send someone to work with us quickly and easily. However, there’s an issue with when do they replace something, as opposed to when do they continue to fix it. I had one experience with the microwave oven that was in really bad shape and they kept fixing it. The same thing would break and I asked them if it was time for them to consider replacing it. They wouldn’t do it because they could always send somebody to fix it. I ended up paying more for the microwave than I should have getting it repaired, and I finally just replaced it myself.

That’s the worst experience I’ve had with American Home Shield, but with the furnace, air-conditioner and plumbing, those have been good experiences. I recently needed to change the filters in my furnace and the tech came and said that the big issue was my filters were really dirty. It was causing my furnace to have issues. Other than that, he said it looked really good. I already had filters so I had him install them, though I could have also done that myself. It’s been working fine ever since.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I made a claim for an electronic board in a washing machine. American Home Shield ordered it, brought it out and it's been working fine ever since. The contractors seem to work well. The last time they came out, they gave us a range of times and it was near the end of it but they were within that range.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

We've been with American Home Shield for 10 years. Submitting a claim is very easy. I just go online and put in my account number, and if I can't remember my account number, they can pull it up by my address. Then I go through the prompts. It will ask me what it is and if I know who made the appliance that I'm looking to get fixed. And then, they will send an email to me and let me know who they've sent it to, and I hear back from them in 24 hours. And everyone they've sent has been good.

The contractors sent by AHS come to the door and they identify themselves. A lot of times, if you give them enough information when they call and they know what they're going to be going into, then they know sometimes if it's a part. There are times where they have to come back, but if they know ahead of time and it's something basic, they're prepared to deal with it. The service has been good most of the time. Recently, our dishwasher wasn't draining. We had checked everything out, taken the bottom apart and cleaned the filters. It was a blockage, and the tech pushed the tube down through the tube under the sink. I wish I had gone that one step more 'cause it was exactly what we thought it was, but it was taken care of so it was good. Now it's working perfect.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

American Home Shield is usually fast when I call. If I call one day, they're making arrangements the next day. Recently it was cold and the heater went out. The mechanic came, talked to me and told me what was going on. He answered my questions, did excellent work and was very professional. Now my heat is working excellent. American Home Shield is the best thing people can invest in.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Recently the kitchen faucet was broken. The tech sent by AHS tried to fix it and he couldn't, then he called the manufacturer to get a replacement. We got the replacement and the faucet we got was the wrong one. They changed it to the correct one and we got everything new from the manufacturer. The plumber was very polite, and he did what he was supposed to do. It took around more than a month to get the faucet replaced, but it was not his fault. He tried his best to give us the best service. We were happy we got it replaced from the manufacturer because we didn't even know that we had a warranty, and he found that.

I submitted the claim online for the first time and I found that better than by phone because online, you can see what you’re doing. On the phone, you cannot be sure that the rep has written everything that you've said. Also, if you go by phone, it takes so long. It would help if American Home Shield adds some reps to reduce the call time. We've had issues with some of the contractors, but when we complain, they replace them with another contractor. But I have to pay a copay again if I want a different one. Other than that, I’m happy.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

American Home Shield has been very good with issues that I've had to call them for. And having the service has been worth it because if I didn't have them, I would probably be spending more money since I have to look for somebody. American Home Shield already has a network of people which made it a lot easier for me.

When I had an issue with the furnace, I submitted a claim online and the contractor came out. They thought they corrected it but they had to come back out. I called American Home Shield to get the contractor out again, and the reps were very nice and patient. They worked with me because I had to make several changes to when I was available or when someone was available. So it was quite amenable. The technicians were very nice people as well, and they knew what they were doing. They did all the explanation on everything. The issue has been resolved, and I'm very satisfied with American Home Shield. I always recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

American Home Shield is a very good thing to have because I’m not Ms. Fixit, and when I call, I normally get a quick response. And everything is done in a timely manner. I called them the next day after my heater had started to blow cold air. Most people, when you call them for something, they’re rude, but the AHS rep I spoke with was very pleasant and said that they would get somebody out here as soon as they could. The contractor appeared to be very caring, and he said he would do whatever.

Most of the people that I’ve had to call were fine, but I had one bad experience with one of their contractors, Greenway. One guy came out and he automatically said that my Freon was two pounds low. So, it was almost $200 that I had to pay. I was not even sure that he put it in there. He never even checked it before he said it was low. Also, he said that I had a leak and that he couldn’t check for a leak because AHS didn’t authorize it. But I learned from someone else that they can check for leaks. So, the guy who did my air-conditioning that time wasn’t honest at all. I told AHS about the freon, and they said I had to pay for it.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Having to call in a claim to American Home Shield hasn’t been super awesome because I've had to be on hold for a while like when one of the call centers had gone down and I was on hold for over an hour. That was a little upsetting. Then, there was another time that I got disconnected. I had to call back and I wasn't sure if my payment had gone through. I didn’t know if I was going to be charged twice. So, I've been trying to utilize the online service more and online works fine.

The people that have come out to the house have been great and they've all been very helpful. It's a new house and they've even given me tips like, "Hey, you might keep an eye on this in the future," which has been really helpful for me. Also, there has been some extra work that I needed done and they've been very timely about it and told me exactly step-by-step what I needed to do.

There was one time I needed a replacement. The water company was very good about letting us know that they need to come back and they'd come back ASAP. But they could only come in the afternoon and they could only come in the daytime and we had to shut off the water. So, that was a slight inconvenience for me. But they wanted it to be as short of a time as possible for my water to be shut off. So, the water was shut off and they were back in the morning.

One thing that was bad was in May when the GNA put in a brand new furnace through the warranty. This winter, when it was like in the negative here, it started making a really loud banging noise for some reason. I had to call the warranty company because the first time it was getting so loud, it was actually terrifying. It was only seven months since they put it in. There shouldn't be anything wrong with it but it sounded like it was going to explode. I turned it off and it had cooled down. When I turned it back on, they didn’t know what was making that noise, so there was nothing they did about it.

Then, a day later, it started making that noise again and they couldn't send somebody out for three days. I was like having anxiety attacks because I couldn’t really shut it off because I needed it to be making that noise for when they came out again. When the guy came out the second time, he took everything out and put everything back in. He said I shouldn't have any problems now. They had just sent me a faulty furnace that the motor was put in at an angle and there was a panel that the screws were loose. And because it was so cold, it was overworking and it wasn’t giving itself enough time to cool down.

But that's the only downside I've had. I wasn’t happy that they sent me really a faulty furnace. I think that's more of the contractor's fault than AHS's fault. I wasn’t happy that I had to call them back because it was an extra $150 because I had to call them twice after that. But I've already told a friend of mine to get a home warranty especially because she just bought a house as well. It could save you money in the long run, especially if you'd have to call them multiple times.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My air conditioner was leaking and American Home Shield had people from Crystal Air come out to fix it. However, the techs didn't fix it. They just put Freon and by summer, the Freon was all gone. AHS sent Crystal Air again, but that time the techs thought the air conditioner was too old. So AHS sent EA for a second opinion. They wanted to schedule the appointment, but I had to leave the country for one month. So last December, they came with an all-new air conditioner and Freon. I paid $4,800 for the extra and American Home Shield paid the other part.

I've been with American Home Shield for at least 20 years. They’re usually good and they respond quickly, but they send a different contractor every time. Some contractors are good, but some like Crystal Air are not. They knew there was a leak and they wanted me to pay for all the Freon. They also said that American Home Shield wasn't going to pay for it, but I thought AHS would pay. They tell AHS something but they tell me something different. EA is more professional.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

The length of time it takes for American Home Shield to go get parts and get the parts to the repair crew is ridiculous. My heat pump went down right after Thanksgiving but it didn’t get repaired until the first week of January. I live in Northern Virginia and it’s been very cold now. I can’t have the house without heat and my electric bill went through the roof because I had to use emergency heat. But they took care of the problem. They ordered the parts and did whatever they needed to do. I just had to wait for the parts to come in and for them to come back out because they can’t come out unless they’ve got parts in hand.

Now I’ve been waiting on the blower. I need a new blower that they ordered and that’s been sent in the middle of January but here we are in February and I’m still waiting. I’ve got a lot of noise now that comes out of my air handlers so the actual full repairs hasn’t been completed yet. I even have to initiate a call for them to make sure that it hasn’t dropped off of schedule. I have to ask if the part was on order, if the part has come in or what they are doing. I get none of that unless I call. But that aside, it is a good service overall.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

My heat exchange had become rusted out and it had some holes in it, and American Home Shield had it replaced. I submitted the claim through the website which is always easy to navigate. The contractors were really good. It was a sensitive piece of thing to put back in the heat exchange. If there's gas here and it's leaking, carbon monoxide could get into the house. There was a newer guy doing the work and the supervisor came and watched him install it, making sure he did it right. They were both nice guys and they came out when it was cold. I've had other contractors that I didn't like, but I liked these guys.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

We set up appointment with American Home Shield through online and it's all worked great. The contractors have been excellent and have always been able to resolve the issue, whatever the item was, except for the refrigerator. But the times that the technician was out here for the refrigerator, everything went fine. He's very courteous. He took the item apart and checked everything out. He was out here on two separate occasions, staying for over an hour but he wasn't fly-by-night. He just couldn't really find the problem. He indicated that if the temperature stayed below a certain digital figure, it was still good. So, we went with that. Sometimes the freezer would go from 0 up to 10 then it would go back down. It was like it was cycling through but never above 10. This is after the second visit.

Then, we went away on a vacation and came home. And the temperature of the refrigerator this morning was 52 in the freezer and 60 in the rest of the upper part of the refrigerator. So, we called it in again. Typically, if I call in on a Friday, I can't get people out till Monday, which is fine. But I called them, and I said, "Hey, whenever you schedule the appointment for, send somebody out that typically can find the problem. This is our third time." And the service gal that I talked to, goes, "Yeah. Let me talk to the head guy." So, I got a call here about an hour and a half now and they asked us if we were available today. They’re sending their senior technician out. And they're going to be out here sometime between noon and 5:00. We'll see what happens with that. Everything that could be checked has been checked previously. But it hasn't corrected. So, if they can't fix it, I'm going to put in a claim. I will call AHS and do that.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

The outside unit was overheating so I went online, opened up a claim to American Home Shield and their contractor was there within 24 hours. He was also here the last time I had called. He was very professional. He came, explained that the defrost mechanism was broken, we tested it, and everything was fine within half an hour. So far, American Home Shield is doing fine and I would definitely recommend them. Their service has always been prompt and I've never had a problem with them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I had our oven on the clean setting when I heard what sounded like a balloon pop. It was locked because of the oven cleaning mode so I couldn’t open it and the digital display wasn't working. So I called Home Shield and they sent somebody out. Apparently, it was a little harder to get somebody to come out here since we live in Bennett and there’s not a lot of people out here that’s in contract with Home Shield. We didn’t hear from the company for five days. When the guy came out, I asked him about it and he said that they kept denying coming out here ‘cause normally, their company doesn’t come out here but then finally, they took the order.

The technician was wonderful and was able to fix the problem. He had texted me in the morning and asked for the serial number so he had brought everything he would need with him. He said the motherboard got too hot so it kind of exploded. He showed it to me and it was all burnt. He suggested to actually never use the self-cleaning button because it makes ovens too hot. He said that it's stupid that they have it on the oven because more often than not, it actually makes the motherboard fry up. It’s because people like me are lazy and they hear self-cleaning and they buy it.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I’ve had good and bad experiences with American Home Shield. My most recent claim was for a leaky toilet so I called American Home Shield. Then, I talked to an automated system and I put in a service call. The contractor who came out was fabulous and finished in a timely manner. But I won’t say that it has been peaches and cream. I’ve had issues with them and they didn’t do what I felt that they should have done.

The issue was that my water heater leaked. I woke up one Christmas morning and it had flooded my kitchen and my dining room. It was back and forth and it took them until after the first of the year to get me a water heater and have it installed. Also, they gave me a very low-end brand. I would not have picked that and I was willing to pay the difference but they wouldn’t allow me. They had to go through their contractor and when I Googled and did a search on that particular brand, it was not a very good one. I got my fingers crossed that it’ll hold up.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I called American Home Shield in because the freeze guard of our swimming pool failed to operate and they had someone called me the assignment to, in this case, a company called Extreme Pool Service. And then that pool service called and set up and appointment. It was a very easy process. And the contractor was very nice. They had been out once before a couple of years ago. They are very knowledgeable and he said it was just very fortunate and it would have a much bigger loss because they go below freezing there and some of the pipes froze up and none of them broke. So we had a freeze guard replacement. All the times I've had a problem Americah Home Shield was just on it and very quickly and just handled it without any problem at all.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I had a plumbing claim where there was a jamming of the drain pipes. The techs were professional and solved the problem completely in less than one hour. The plumbing is working like never before and we were very happy with the service. It was a very good experience. However, we almost never use the service and we pay $75 all year, and when we used them this one time, we expected not to pay anything. But so far we are okay with American Home Shield because we've been satisfied with all the times we have used them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I usually submit claims at American Home Shield online and it takes quite a while for someone to come and do the service. I had a plumbing problem one time and I thought that since the plumber was here, he would fix the dripping tap. I didn’t specify that I had dripping taps as well so I still needed to take care of that. But it's hard for me to be home for the window of time that they give, so I haven't called it in yet. It's been dripping for two months since the plumber was here. I also have an electrical problem that hasn’t been fixed because they're telling me that I have to go into the wall to figure it out and that's not covered. So, I just keep going without lights outside.

My most recent claim with AHS was for a washing machine which started out by not spinning. I went without a washer for over a month. The techs came and they had to analyze what it was. They also had to order parts. They came back a week later and fixed it, but it wasn’t fixed so they had to come back and see what was wrong. They had to get more parts so it went on for quite a while. But other than that, it did get fixed. The people that come here are fine but I'm not thrilled with one of the women on the phone from Accord Appliances. I was calling to get the appointment set up and she answered the phone, but she didn't know she had answered it. She said, "If this person calls me one more time, I'm going to shoot myself." Then I said to her, "Excuse me, but I heard that." She said, "I'm so sorry. I was on my mobile phone." She said she wasn’t talking to me, but I heard the conversation so I was a bit upset about that.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I had a great experience with American Home Shield. I put in a claim for a refrigerator that was broken. They sent out a serviceman who ordered the parts and repaired it. He was professional and pleasant. It is now working fine. Submitting the claim online was pretty easy, too.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My refrigerator was broken so I submitted a claim to American Home Shield and they sent one of the company representatives to check on that one. My wife was at home when the contractors came out and she told me that she had a good experience. She didn’t have any problem with them. They determined that the refrigerator was not working at all so they asked for the replacement from AHS.

I gave American Home Shield a call because I had a few couple of questions to check with them, whether I can get it through Sears or if I should purchase online through GE Appliance. They gave me the option of either choosing one of the appliances from the internet or going to Sears and they will provide the money based on the receipt that we provide. My refrigerator was LG so I decided to go with an LG appliance. I purchased it from Sears and gave them the receipt. They gave me the equivalent amount of almost $2,150 and I got my check within a week so it was a very good experience.

Also, it was really good with the rep I spoke with. They had good knowledge and shared their experience. They gave me ideas on where to go and what to do in case what happens. They also wrote down on the receipt my email address, phone number, and my contract number so that there won’t be any hassle on getting the money back from the receipt that I gave American Home Shield.

But one time, we had a claim that got delayed. It took two or three weeks until a replacement was done. That was a difficult time for us because we had to put our food in the freezer down in the basement and then get the food from the basement to up to the kitchen every day. It would be better if they can do more expedited claims, especially with the water or freezer because if those are broken, then there's nothing to do. It would be more ample for the person who has only one freezer in their house. But everything else was good and I have had a good experience with American Home Shield. Their customer service representatives are very awesome. They handled those problems in a very smooth way and it looks like they are experienced personnel. I definitely recommend using American Home Shield.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My refrigerator wasn't getting cold at all. I called AHS and everything was good except for the first company they gave me. The company never responded. I called them about 10 to 12 times and was miscalled. I left them a message and they never did call to follow up with me at all. By the end of the day, I was afraid my food will get spoiled.

When I called AHS back the next day, they did give me PJ Appliance which was excellent. I called the contractor and he called me right back and said he'd be there that evening between 4 and 6 and he came. He took everything out of the freezer and refrigerator. He told us what the problem was right away. Then he said they'll put an order in and see whether or not they have that part 'cause we have with us an old refrigerator. I said we're going to just get another one and he said no. He called that night and said they were able to get the part and he came the next day. The refrigerator is now cold. It's working. It was the best. I’ve had the contractor a couple of times and he is right on point.

I like AHS. The only thing is that if I submit the claim online, I have to put the credit card information and they take the money out right away. I didn't want that to happen. That's why I went on to call them and I like paying after my service is done. Also, AHS’ fee went up and we only got the notice yesterday. But it's good to have AHS especially with having all the appliances. And I just recommended them to somebody.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Our experience with American Home Shield was good. We called them about two things. One was for electricity issues that we were having where an electrician they sent checked everything in the house. We have two air conditioning units and we thought it was a power surge when they came on, but it turned out it was not the air conditioning, although one of the air conditioners needed Freon. So, he went back and made a recommendation to American Home Shield to send out an AC guy, which AHS did. The AC guy then took care of everything very nicely, and he gave us the best price on the Freon.

In between that was two visits. We had a guy come out from KitchenAid because the oven was not heating properly or not staying heated properly. When opening the door, the temperature would drop very dramatically. It turned out that it was a thermostat issue. We also had some issues with the sealing on the doors, so he reset the door and fixed the sealing. A couple of days later, another guy came out with the temperature gauge that he needed to replace. And it took him three minutes and he was done. Everything is working beautifully. The oven is working the way it's supposed to.

There was a little mistake in their billing on the second round, but they got that all cleared up for us in a few minutes on the phone. They really have been fabulous as always and they always send very qualified people. They are very responsive to anything that we need. We've been with American Home Shield now for 10 years. The people they send to do the repairs are always well-trained and well-in-charged of what it is they're supposed to be doing. Lastly, if you call on Monday, you're going to be there for a while. But we typically call late Monday or Tuesday and the wait time is maybe 15 to 20 minutes at most. Most times, we've been even luckier than that. Most times, we call and get not even a 5-minute wait.

American Home Shield Company Information

www.ahs.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use