Consumer Reviews and Complaints

13%
  • 3 stars96
  • 2 stars21
  • 1 stars134

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. Together, with our wholly owned subsidiary, we service nearly 1.5 million customers across all 50 states.

Always quick & effectively responsive when I make a claim.

Our most recent experience was excellent just as it is every single time we contact AHS. The timeliness of the response, the clarity of it and the availability of a live operator make a sizeable difference. We have been very pleased with the operational end of AHS.

We are homeowners & have been members of AHS for over 20 years. We have always been very satisfied with the promptness of reply once called or emailed for service, to the fast callback from the service provider. We would & have recommended AHS.

I had great service from my contractor who was willing to come out at all hours, was very knowledgeable and explained the whole process answering all of my questions, was fast and efficient and left everything clean.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I placed a claim for my pool pump and the process was easy. The contractor was professional, courteous and he took care of what needed to be taken care of. The pump now works 100%. They have good customer service and the problem is resolved.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

American Home Shield has its up and down. I’ve had some bad experiences with them in the years that I’ve been with them, but I have had good results lately. I guess it depends on the category of what the service is about. I have had very good contractors who have done excellent work and the performance since the repair has been good so far. I wish I would be able to get in touch with somebody here in the U.S, somebody closer to the business or where I live. Because usually, they’re so far away and it takes so much time for them to send the transactions. They don’t do it right away. I don’t know why sometimes it takes so long for them to be reached.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We have really hard water here and it was built up to where the faucet wouldn't move. At first I didn't know what was wrong with it so I called American Home Shield. The guy who came out took it apart and fixed it. He also asked me if there was anything else I needed fixed, and they're always good about saying that. So far we haven't had any major problems but I've had to replace several hot water heaters and they've always sent somebody out and got the job done. I usually file my claims over the phone and sometimes, it will be really busy. It's just my choice to do it that way, but their website seems to be fairly easy to navigate. I would definitely recommend American Home Shield, but I'm at an age where I always put a caveat and with that, I'd also advise people to call around.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Our air conditioner didn’t work a day after we moved in so we submitted a claim with American Home Shield. They couldn't get somebody sooner so we had to wait 5 days but the guy who came out was very professional and friendly. He fixed everything and we haven’t had any problems since. We were very satisfied and happy about it. We’d recommend them to a friend.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

The air condition was low on freon so I submitted a claim for it online. The contractor couldn't get us going the moment he arrived, so he came back that afternoon. He was thinking he couldn't go back until the next day but did so that afternoon and got us going. We had a very good experience.

Great timely service. Very happy with diagnosis and resolution to problem.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I called American Home Shield and told them my garage door opener is broken so can they send somebody out. They said, "Sure!" They asked for my information and said that they'll have somebody out to me within the next 72 hours. They were professional, prompt, helpful, and very nice when I spoke with them. The contractor was so knowledgeable and knew right away what the problem was. But he could not get the parts because it was such an old garage door opener. So right away he said that they're gonna replace it. After the repair, it was working really good.

I sold the house and moved out, but right before I left and whenever the family was over, they were enjoying the new garage door opener. In the past I've had air conditioning problems and AHS has been able to repair it and I had a great experience with that, too. I'm building a home right now and as soon as all my warranties run out after it's built, which will be about a year after that, I'm gonna call AHS and get insurance with them again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My experience with American Home Shield has been very satisfying for the fact that they're responsive and very professional. They haven't denied me too much. Most of the time, I submit my claims online and their website is really easy to navigate. Except for two, all the contractors have been very good. They do excellent service and if there are extra parts needed that they didn't have, they were quick to respond. However, when I had a claim for my poolside, they don't do electrical, only mechanical.

The repair person was prompt and efficient, but AHS is difficult to contact by phone.

Once the request for service was entered, we were contacted within 15 minutes. The contractor came out to assess the problem and gave us a "true" estimate of the amount of time that would be required. The contractor was timely and efficient! The service was excellent!

The contractors always call within an hour of needing help and are very courteous and professional!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My air conditioner was acting up and I had no problems filing a claim for that. I got rid of the first contractor because they didn’t know what they were doing. They misdiagnosed and wrote it off as nothing was wrong when in fact, it had major issues. Then AHS got another contractor out there that was able to troubleshoot and detect the fault and get it working properly. The performance of the air conditioner is good since the repair, though I'm having some rattling noise, but they don't cover that.

The process for claim was fairly easy and simple. It was just when I got into the fine print on the contract, there were some things that they didn’t cover and things that depending on the contract term, that they only went up to a certain amount that I wasn’t aware of, it would have caused out-of-pocket expenses that I wasn’t familiar with.

It’s also frustrating that when you start getting into the coverage and then at a certain area of the contract, you have to go to another area of the contract to find if there’s an exclusion. It doesn’t come right out. Like the air conditioner, if you have an R-22 refrigerant, it’s going to cost you $50 a pound because R-22 refrigerant is due to be phased out in 2020. Presently, American Home Shield only covers $10 per pound of refrigerant for the first pound and that’s it. So if my unit has over 10 pounds of refrigerant, I'm looking at roughly $500 to $600 in refrigerant cost if I have a malfunction with my air conditioner. Then they say that if your air conditioner messes up if they can’t repair it, they’ll replace it. But if you look at the fine print, there’s an exclusion that says they’ll only pay $2500 per contract term. You can’t buy an air conditioner for $2500.

The work done was great but the wait time to talk to an American Home Shield representative was bad. About 40 minutes.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

American Home Shield came and had the air conditioner fixed so it's now working fine. The contractors AHS sent were all very nice and there's no problem with them. Our interactions with the representatives over the phone were fine but the wait time is excessive - I had to take a book and read. I was on hold for 45 minutes to an hour each time so this is an issue that could be addressed.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I had American Home Shield when I lived in Nevada and that's why I signed up here in Virginia where I bought a house that was 12 years old and that has not been taken care of. I'm pretty glad I did. I have tried filing claims both online and over the phone and both times, I had no problem. The most recent one was about my refrigerator. The contractors sent were very professional, nice, and knew what they were doing. When I described the problems to the repairman who was calling to set up the appointment, he actually brought with him what he needed because he figured what it was over the phone. He had a general idea of what it was.

Factual basis uncertain

American Home Shield

Hello Paul , I apologize for this situation regarding your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issue that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you. Thanks^DB

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

Well you need to have 1/2 day to call and get a representative. Then they have to call you back and that is a phone message and then the 45 minute on hold again. Then they send a workman that comes out and really is not clear about what he needs to do. Then you find out they need to send someone else. He comes and you are now 2 weeks into the repair... washing machine for my example... and they tell you they want to replace the equipment instead of repair it with a similar item. So the washer is not the same as the dryer but also was under counter and needs to fit but their proposal doesn't fit. So they will give me about 1/3 what it costs to fix or even replace the existing equipment and that is it... No place further to go. But I gave them a 3 star because they at least are offering a settlement... Good or bad... At least not telling me to go away.

My air conditioner did not seem to be cooling properly. I called and the technician not only diagnosed that issue but looked over the entire unit. Excellent work!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I'm satisfied with American Home Shield and they're cordial. I submitted a claim for my air conditioner and the process was easy. The gentleman they sent was extremely well-versed and I'd get him back again. My A/C is working well since the repair.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

It was a good and easy experience with American Home Shield. A recent service had to be recalled so the technician came back to fix it. I submit claims through the phone and there's a wait time, which would be an issue if I'm in a hurry. But, otherwise, it's okay.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My air conditioner went out and American Home Shield came and fixed it. I filed a claim online and I called them too because I had a disabled person in the house. At first they said they'll send somebody by Monday or Tuesday and when I called and talked to their rep, she said they'll send somebody out within the next hour and they did. They were very prompt. The technician was very helpful and gave us good information. He said it happens and sometimes they just go out from time to time and that we can have somebody come and check it once a year. Overall, it was quick and they were very considerate.

American Home Shield

Hello Philip, I apologize for this situation regarding your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issue that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you. Thanks^DB

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

No relief in the summer heat for our family of 4 that includes 2 small children. They've sent two technicians out and they both said the same thing in regards to the a/c unit. American Home Shield refuses to cover the cost of repair which was to simply vacuum out the old refrigerant and replace with new and inspect for leaks. They don't care about their customers. It's despicable. All we've done is paid a monthly premium to them for the past 11 YEARS!! We've been dealing with having no a/c since July. Shame on you! This is CROOKERY!

Family Heating and A/C is a small but highly motivated service provider. The work was performed in a timely manner, and corrected my problem of a blocked drain line. Very good to know about these folks.

The contractor we dealt with was very polite and answered all of my questions. The part needed had to be ordered and he kept me informed of the status every step of the way. Once the part came in he installed it quickly. I'd definitely recommend him!

Although it took some time for the serviceman to come out, when he did, he worked quickly and efficiently. There was also a mix up on the billing and we were charged for a follow-up visit to refix a previous problem. But when I called AHS they resolved the matter over the phone. So in the end very satisfied.

My husband took out this policy. He was very pleased with the help he received on setting everything up. However, when he called to make a claim on the air conditioning they got CMB Heating and Airs out here 2 days later. CMB Heating and Air would not give me a written receipt for my payment or for what needed to be done. What is that all about? Well days later after not hearing from anyone my husband called American Home Shield only to find out, they refuse to fix it. Now we live in Texas. So of course the A\c had to have problems when the heat was ramping up in the 100+degrees. Again American Home Shield refused to fix it. What? In Texas with no a\c!! So, I can't attached a receipt because the tech refused to give me one.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I submitted a claim for our oven to American Home Shield and they took care of it. We had some problems with the installation, but eventually it was taken care of in a fine manner. Since the repair, it has been working fine.

American Home Shield Company Profile