4.18/5
Based on 10,801 ratings submitted in the last year
Call toll free
(866) 617-9098 Visit Website

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. We service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (1)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

American Home Shield has decades of experience serving homeowners. While you will pay more for add-on coverage, overall AHS has one of the most comprehensive coverage plans available at a reasonable rate.

PROS

• Customizable coverage available
  • Choose your own service call fee
  • Comprehensive coverage
  • Serves most areas

CONS

• Not available in Alaska
  • Covering pools and spas costs extra

Top American Home Shield Reviews

03/03/2019

I submitted a claim with American Home Shield online and I had the contract process started within an hour. It was very easy. The contractor […] identified the issue and fixed everything within an hour.

05/09/2019

We just noticed there was weird water pressure and leaking so we called. The contractor was great. They called right away and got a plumber here the next day and first thing in the morning and then fixed it.

American Home Shield plans

American Home Shield services are available in four plan options for home warranty coverage:

• Appliances Plan: Covers 10 common home appliances, like refrigerators and dishwashers.
  • Systems Plan: Covers 11 of the biggest home systems, like heating, cooling and electric.
  • Combo Plan: Covers all systems covered in both the Systems and Appliances plans.
  • Build Your Own Plan: Select up to 10 items of your choice from either the systems or appliance list to build a customized plan and get coverage for only what you need.

American Home Shield coverage

American Home Shield offers coverage for the most common household systems and major appliances. Most homeowners should find coverage for what they need via one of the company’s pre-set plans or by creating their own through the company’s customizable “Build Your Own Plan” option, which is something over home warranty providers do not offer.

Systems covered:

• Air conditioning w/ ductwork
  • Heating w/ ductwork
  • Electrical
  • Doorbells
  • Smoke detectors
  • Ceiling fans
  • Plumbinb (including stoppages)
  • Water heaters

• Pool
  • Spa
  • Well pump
  • Septic pump
  • Guest Unit (less than 750 sq ft.)

American Home Shield cost

On average, American Home Shield costs $60 per month for their most popular “combo” plan. American Home Shield typically bills homeowners monthly. Your total monthly cost will vary depending on which plan and service call fee you select. The trade service call fee is the amount you pay for each service or repair visit. American Home Shield prices are on the higher end of average for the industry, but still pretty comparable overall, especially considering the level of coverage provided.

AHS allows customers to choose a higher trade service call fee in favor of a lower monthly payment. This can be a good choice if you don’t anticipate needing many repairs throughout the year. If you live in an older house where things are more prone to break down, though, you may want to opt for the lowest service call fee. Your monthly fee will be slightly higher, but you should make up the difference by paying the smaller service fee.

PlanService Call FeeAverage Monthly Cost
Appliances$125 per call$34.99 (or $420 per year)
Systems$125 per call$34.99 (or $420 per year)
Combo$125 per call$44.99 (or $540 per year)
Build your own$125 per call$39.99 (or $480 per year)
Prices quoted for Houston, Texas, less applicable sales tax. Prices may vary by location. Request a free quote to receive pricing for your location.

36217 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: April 22, 2019

My pool pump stopped and whenever the guy that services my pool came by, he said, “Your pump is not working.” His company, Cowtown Pools, did my cleaning and they’ve serviced my pool for a number of years. They always do me a good job. That’s why I requested them. They know me and they know my equipment. We had a technician come out and confirmed that it was a pool pump, and so he replaced it, and they were all paid the service fee. My experience with them went well. They repaired the pool pump and did it within a convenient time without any problems and difficulty. They did a good job and everything is working fine. This past week, I had to have two flush valves replaced and the plumbers were F6 out of Alvarado, and they did me a really good job.

I also had my thermostat that went out at the same time. So, the next day, I used some air conditioning people. They used to be with American Home Shield. That’s how I found them. But they're no longer with them. But they did my checkups and things, and he found that my thermostat was not working. I called American Home Shield and told them that all of my equipment was working and that they thought that it was in the thermostat. They called Baxter Air Conditioning and Heating here in Mansfield. Their response was quick, which was good. I had a good experience with them. They replaced the thermostat and it's working within a short period of time. So, those experiences recently have been very good. However, I had a real serious, uncomfortable, undesirable, terrible experience with AHS and with the plumbers they sent out. I was really, really upset and concerned about what happened.

Back in January, we had a plumbing problem. My sinks stopped up and both our sinks in our master bathroom were stopped up. They were clogged and it was awful. I called AHS the next day and I told them that we had a problem. They said, “Okay. Your plumber will be SDL, and they're out of Seagoville.” They had a plumber come out the very next day and he came out with a little hand Roto-Rooter. We had cleaned out underneath both the cabinets so that he could get through, but he never even looked underneath the cabinets at the sinks. He tried his little hand rooter and said, “I'm gonna have to go down through the vents.” Then he came back and said, “Well, I can't get through the vents. You're gonna have to have somebody come in here and go down, and it's gonna cost $589.”

I called AHS and talked to a guy and he said, “Yeah. These are good people. They really do a good job. I'll have somebody go to him. This is what has to be done and what needs to be done. You're gonna have to pay that. American Home Shield will not cover that. That’s your expense.” So the guy came out, and he had brought a supervisor from SDL. And they couldn’t get down through the vents, so they said, “Well, we're gonna have to go underneath the slab. We're gonna have to do a lot of work. And it's gonna cost you $6,000.” He was gonna send him out the next day or so to do some stuff. But AHS said they needed to get a second opinion, which was smart. I'd give them credit for that.

And so, AHS sent this guy from F6, the ones that I used for recently from Alvarado. And the guy walked in there and I told him what was going on. He said, “Let me show you how to unstop a sink.” He got his Roto-Rooter out, his snake, and then within an hour or less, he had everything completely cleaned out and working wonderfully. The other contractor was gonna try to charge $6,000 for all this other stuff. And thank goodness, the person in authorization department said they needed to get a second opinion. If you go online and look at the SDL plumbing company out of Seagoville and read their reviews, you'll notice that most of them are all negative. It is a scam, con company.

I said to AHS authorization department that I needed to be reimbursed. They said, “Well, that’s between you and the plumbing company.” And I was out of $589 for nothing. They were trying to scam me for $6,000. Now, I'm not making any accusations when I make this remark. It sounds to me like somebody, somewhere is getting a kickback. The guy in the AHS authorization department was the one that recommended and confirmed with the plumber that going down through the vents was needed to be done. So, someone should be held responsible.

I wasn’t happy about not being reimbursed. I've been an AHS customer for 16 years but I'm now considering looking at other companies to do the kind of warranties like this. Nevertheless, I'm pleased with F6, the plumbers that I got this last time. I'm pleased with the air conditioning guy too. I still stay with AHS because it's a heck of a mess to try to change over and get things. But I told the people in the authorization department, “Don’t ever recommend SDL to me again. Those people are crooks.” And some of the reviews that you read online will say the same thing, almost identical to what I had said. The authorization department is responsible for that. They need look at reviews and say, “This is a good vendor or this is a poor vendor.”

I have called in before and I know the service people that do a good job and those who don’t. And they said, “Well, this is the one that pops up, and we can't send them out.” And I said, “Look. I'm your customer. I know who is good and who is not.” American Home Shield had sent me some smart people in the past. And I said, “Look. They know me. They know my equipment, etc,” and they finally would agree and would send the people I requested but I've had them to argue with me. Now, many of them have been very courteous, very kind and considerate, but some of them have been downright almost ugly.

However, I'm still upset over the fact that I was encouraged to have someone go down through the vents, which cost me nearly $600 for nothing. Somebody needs to get with SDL and straighten them out, or AHS needs to drop them as a vendor. They should be made by AHS to make that reimbursement. But they're not gonna do it because of the fact that that guy in the AHS authorization department said, “We're not gonna be responsible for this. It's between you and the plumber.” And that’s their cover. And so, I don’t think I'll ever recover that $589, which I'm not happy about. I'm a retired senior citizen on a fixed income so that's fair. I'm not really angry at American Home Shield. I'm disappointed though that they didn’t try to do more, didn’t try to go to the company. And if they continue to recommend people to use that company, in my opinion, AHS does not go as high as it used to.

Recently, I called in and asked for Cowtown Pools and they said, “We can't send anybody." I talked to Cowtown Pools and I was told, “Well, just call back and tell them that we can take them.” I called back, and AHS said, “No, We're not gonna do that.” That happened with Cowtown. So, I just waited until Monday and called back. And I got through quick, and they were fine. Also, this last situation with replacing the flush valves in my bathrooms and then replacing thermostat went through great, and so I do give an A plus on those experiences.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2019

My clothes washer went bad a while back and when American Home Shield sent out a guy, the gentleman did not have a good attitude. He came and looked at my washing machine for a couple of minutes. He then told me that I have been putting in a little bit too much soap in this type of machine, which requires very little. I told him that I put in a full cap of detergent and that it was what I have always done in my machine. He said that when I do that, the soap gets into the bearings and dry them out, and eventually, things go bad. I said that I would pay attention to that from then on. He left. When he made a report, he told AHS that I have been putting in too many clothes into the washer and it ruined the machine.

I waited for a few days and I didn’t hear anything. I called AHS and I was told that I was rejected. I overloaded my machine and they would not be covering that. I told them what he said to me and they said that they were not gonna do it. I told them that the guy didn't even look at the machine. So, I demanded that a second person come out. AHS made a big deal and I had to go through supervisors until I finally got one who said that they will provide me with a second opinion but I would also have to pay the $75. I was happy to pay that because I have trouble figuring out which the problem was. I called two other clothes washer people and asked if there was a way for them to determine whether or not I put too much clothes, which I didn't. At that time, I was single and so, I didn’t. Both guys said there was no way to tell that.

AHS finally had another guy come out and he determined that the machine was a little over seven years old and the part that attaches to the drum on the inside is like a flywheel and it spins. It wore out and it’s normal wear and tear. When the guy sent in his report, they immediately ordered new parts. However, it cost me $75. I don't want him to ever to come to my house again.

A few months later, my dishwasher caused a $60,000 damage in my house. I had to have a technician through AHS come out and take a look at what was going on. Right after the guy got here, I walked in. He asked me if I had any water come out. I said no but I got mold on the side of the dishwasher, so there must be something leaking. We needed to figure out what was going on that caused that and how bad it was, so I can determine if I'm gonna pay for it myself, or have my insurance company pay for it. So, he unscrewed a few screws, leaned in and said that he couldn’t work on it because there was too much mold back there, which I could accept. As he was doing that, I realized this was the same guy. He did his little evaluation and said there was too much mold.

I called AHS again and told them that I asked them not to ever send this gentleman and his company back to my house again. The rep said that they don’t look at anything. I asked him if there was no way to manage whether or not they would order the technician back, out of all the people in my area. They said they would make another note of it and hopefully, they would pay attention. They eventually sent me out another guy, as soon as we got to the point where the mold was gone, and we got the problem solved. I never should have had to pay the $75. The technician was not very competent and he was asking me how I could afford my house and things of that nature.

When they finally did the dishwasher, they charged me twice but they reimbursed it. There was a problem with the collection of the money. I always authorize the $75 once the job is done. If the guy doesn't show, I don't owe them. The other day, I got an email saying that AHS was processing the $75. That was the day before the guy was due to be here. I called and asked why they were doing that. They said that the email just went out but they didn’t go ahead. I checked my bank and they have not done it.

Recently, when we connected the door, the door started running again. So, there was a glitch. I disconnected it so that I can manually pull it and I couldn't figure out how to put it back together. The technician from Active Garage Door came out, connected the door back to the motor and as soon as we did that, it ran and it’s still running. He went over a few things and he did his job. So, I’m very satisfied with what he did. I may have had some problems but I'm still with AHS. All I want is somebody to reasonably cover my stuff and be able to do it smoothly. So, hopefully, that means something to them down the road because I always pay on time. There's never an issue about the money. I pay both the regular fee and the $75, whatever is due. I want them to treat me like they want me to treat them. With AHS, the work gets done and when we get down to the nitty gritty, they have skilled people.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I needed to assess where my septic tanks were located on a property I purchased with my wife back in July of 2018. The gentleman who came out were 10 minutes early and they were very accommodating. The guys that were there were consummate professionals and they literally knew how to answer all of my questions. I wanted to better understand how septic tanks work, how often they needed to be serviced and where they were located. You could tell that they were incredibly comfortable with their line of work and that this wasn't just a summer job for them. It seemed like it was a family-owned business and that they really took a lot of pride and integrity in the work and the service that they provided. So, I was very, very happy with them.

Since I've been with American Home Shield, I've made claims on the property and Grease Trappers was the best experience that I had. I had another one that was decent with Fox Locks out of Gurnee through rekeying the house and the other good one that I had was with the garage door corporation. Those three experiences were incredible and then three of the experiences that I had were terrible. Either of these guys that came out were rock stars or they came out and were very unapologetic and late.

There was a gentleman with a plumbing company who came out to take a look at my house. There was one leak in particular that was causing my wife and I not to be able to live in the house so, I have been in a hotel with my wife and my two children for the last month and a half. I haven't said anything because I don't know who to complain to. There was one pipe that was leaking and it stemmed from underneath the master bathroom Jacuzzi tub. It was leaking into the family room and living room area. So, I couldn't install the flooring in my house that I would like to install. I couldn't move in my furniture, which means we couldn't stay there as a family. I mentioned this to the plumber that came in and he recommended that I do some things with my plumbing system. He did the diagnosis of the house and checked what was around.

I asked him if his company would be interested in tackling the project since they were a licensed plumber in the area. I assumed this was a $40,000 to $60,000 job and I would be willing to hire their company to take care of it. He said no and that it was more efficient for him to take 10 American Home Shield calls because whether or not he does any work, he gets paid on them. It was more profitable for him at his age to take all of the 10 calls from American Home Shield at $75 or $100 a call, rather than stressing himself out about a large project where he has to hire a crew. He was giving me advice, but then he was not backing it up with anything. He was just telling me what I needed to do and then he was leaving. So, he didn't fix anything nor did he even open the drywall even when I offered to pay to have the drywall repaired because I had another contractor on site.

So, I asked for a second opinion and a new plumber came out. I took a lunch break from my work, I drove about 35 miles north and I sat there for an hour and a half waiting for the second plumber to come out. He never showed up. So, I called American Home Shield and they were able to get ahold of the plumber who called back and lied to AHS. He said he tried to call me and left a voicemail. I told him that was not true and that if he tried to call me and I missed his call, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I never received a voicemail, and I was sitting in the driveway when he was telling me that.

I asked the AHS person what the deal was and she said she was gonna send them out. I told her that I was not gonna be here but I would see if I can get one of my family members who are in the area to come meet with him. So, my cousin who happens to be a contractor himself went with them on site on my behalf which took 40 minutes out of his day. We spoke to that guy and rather than going and assessing the work, apologizing about being late and doing what he needed to do, he took some of the notes from the last gentleman, even though American Home Shield says that he doesn't have any visibility to those notes. He had some level of visibility because before he even assessed anything in the unit, he literally just copied what the last guy said verbatim. He said there was nothing he could do, it wasn’t covered and it was a preexisting condition. Then, he left.

American Home Shield is a fantastic company and the portal is easy to use. Everything that they are doing at this point is right but I wish they would hear us out as the people filing the claim. There was more benefit of the doubt given to those who were calling in to complain about their experiences with these other people. We have no reason nor incentives to misguide them. There were two plumbers that didn't want to do their jobs and that was a bad experience but then, I’ve had good experiences. It was hit and miss and it’s who American Home Shield has contracted with. Some of the guys were awesome and some were just awful. When the guys are awesome, we’ll let them know as well as when the guys are bad. There are people who are getting a lot of complaints or the companies that are receiving a lot of complaints and AHS may wanna consider dropping them and finding another contractor in the area.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My dryer was not heating and then it won't shut off. I put in a request through American Home Shield online and I paid my $75 copay. I got a text saying they would be contacting me within 24 hours. Then, the next text message said the appointment was scheduled for which was Thursday between 11:00 and 3:00 with Clark's Appliance repairs. Then, they said that if I had any questions, I could respond to that SMS text message. So I responded and asked if they were coming out to diagnose or to actually fix it. My concern was that they were gonna come out and just diagnose the dryer and then leave for another week. Nobody ever responded.

Then, that Thursday, my daughter and I were home all day and between 11:00 and 3:00, I did not go anywhere. I waited for the guy to show up, but I never got a confirmation phone call or text about the appointment. I never talked to the person ever. I didn't even have a conversation with them except through text. 3 o'clock rolls around, the end of our window, and I had things I needed to do. I didn't know if the guy was coming and if I was still on his schedule book. So I called the number that was sent through the text originally. It went to voicemail and said that Clark's appliance repair was busy with a client and on the message, it said if I couldn't leave a message, then text. I left a message saying my appointment was between 11:00 and 3:00 and asked if anybody was coming that day. I also sent a text. The guy texted back asking for my address.

I sent him my address and he said he was going to a call out in Chandler and then he would be coming to Mesa. By that time it was 3:30 and I had to leave to go pick up my husband at the airport. Chandler is like over half an hour away from where I live anyway. We were talking 4:00 or 5:00 o'clock traffic and I had no idea how long he was gonna be at that call. I told him I needed to leave and go pick someone over in the airport and I would be back. I asked if it worked with his time frame. He said he would call when he was on his way and if he couldn't make it that day, then we would reschedule for tomorrow. It sounded great. I was on my way to the airport and at 4:00, Clark's appliance repairs texted me he was not gonna make and he would schedule me for the following day.

I asked what was his anticipated time frame for the following day because I am a nurse and I work night and I sleep during the day. I took Thursday off, so that I could be up all day long with him being here. He asked what time I go to sleep. I said that I sleep at noon and all he texted back was, "Sounds good." He said he would be here before then. I asked what time because if he was talking 11:45 and he was gonna be here for an hour diagnosing the problem, then that means I don't get to sleep till 1:45 and I have to get up at 4:00, so that doesn't work for me. He said he had an appointment and he had to go out to Apache Junction first before he comes to me. So, not only was everybody put before me on Thursday, now we were rolling into the second day and he was still putting people before me. And I was supposed to be on between 11:00 and 3:00 on Thursday.

He never called, he never said he was running late, nothing until I finally reach out to him and said, "What's the deal?" I texted him and said that he seemed really busy. I told him to go ahead and just cancel my work order with American Home Shield because I have already taken a day off and I couldn't take another day off Friday. I said I was gonna have to call and schedule a different appointment. He said he would cancel my work order with American Home Shield. He wished me luck finding somebody to fix it by the end of the following week instead of the following day. That was the last time I heard from him. He didn't text or anything else after that.

AHS has always been great. I've been a customer of theirs for 15 years. I was a real estate agent and I use to buy a home warranty for American Home Shield for all my clients. So, I've never had a problem with American Home Shield, but he was not professional or appropriate in any way. He did not reach out. If he at least, let me know, "Hey I'm running behind," then I could have made different arrangements to get my husband picked up from the airport. But he didn't even do that. He didn't give me any time frames.

The next day, I called American Home Shield and explained that situation that I've already paid $75 copay, I couldn't go back online and request service again without having to pay another $75 copay. And the guys never showed up and then didn't get in touch with me until later in the evening when I texted him, still never called and I need to get my dryer fixed. I was on the phone with the first lady, she hung up on me with American Home Shield.

Then I called back and talked to the second lady. I explained the situation again and while I was in the phone with her, she asked if she could put me on a brief hold and try to find a vendor in my area. I said, "Sure." So while I was on hold, they called him. She said that Clark's Appliance repair called her and he told her he had been out to my house twice on Thursday. He said I told him I had to go pick somebody up in the airport and he would try to reschedule to come back later in the afternoon and that I couldn't reschedule it. Everything he said was a total lie. None of it was true.

I have all the text messages and times conversation of when I actually had the conversation with him and I never received a phone call from him. My daughter and I were here all day. I even texted my neighbor next door and said I had to leave and go pick my husband up from the airport. My daughter was gonna be here by herself and she knew to let the guy in to fix the dryer. I have all these on text, times, dates stamp, everything, and this guy completely lied. AHS said that he said the job was done and he has completed the work order. And I canceled it, but completed the work order and was sending a bill to American Home Shield anyway even though he never came to fix it. We would have known if he would have even come and knock on the door. Even if we were in the back of the house, we would have known if someone was at the door.

I still don't have a dryer. I took today off again because I'm here today, between 12:00 and 6:00, somebody named Jarred is supposed to be here to diagnose my dryer, not fix it, and then, they're gonna have to order the part. And God knows when they'll be back to fix it. So, I'm going on four weeks now without a dryer. I'm a little bit frustrated but the second lady that I talked to with American Home Shield was very helpful and very understanding. She put in a whole new work order so that I wouldn't have to pay another $75 copay to have somebody come out and fix my dryer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My toilet downstairs kept flooding my living room. When I submitted the claim to American Home Shield, I listed it as plumbing but told them that I thought that the toilet kept making a weird noise. The first contractor was Home Services of the Triad and a guy named Michael came out. He thought he fixed it but it shocked me that when he first came in to the house and he looked at the toilet and seen where it had flooded or exploded, it was the toilet but it was the bowl and it was not the base or the tank. Michael didn’t touch anything and he immediately told me that it was not covered.

He knew how to fix the problem, though, but he would have to pull the toilet up and then I would have to pay him an additional fee. I was trying to get the problem fixed and I agreed. As he pulled up the toilet, I went upstairs and I contacted American Home Shield. They only have people working for them who knew exactly the issues and if it wasn’t listed under my warranty, that contract should be able to tell me that it wasn’t. So, with that confirmation from AHS, I took it as that and I wouldn’t have to pay the guy. Then, Michael told me that everything was fixed and I shouldn’t have any more issues or problems. But three days later, it started happening again.

I recontacted the plumber company because if it wasn’t listed in the contract, then I figured American Home Shield wasn’t gonna be able to help me. But Home Services of the Triad contacted American Home Shield warranty because I was listed as a client with AHS. Another technician came, his name was Bryan. It was an actual emergency and not just that, I had to pay American Home Shield for the deductible fee even though it was denied and I ended up having to pay Michael. With me paying Michael, I thought that justified my services whatever needed to be done and it still wasn’t fixed, that they will come back out and they did not.

Before Bryan came out, Michael called me and asked what they said was wrong. I said the same thing happened which he said was crazy because he had fixed it. He wanted me to call him back and let him know what Bryan would say. In the meantime, someone told me that Michael was supposed to contact American Home Shield, let them know his assessment, and then they were supposed to call me and explain to me why his services was not covered. He did not do that and I didn’t know it because that was my second time dealing with AHS, so I didn’t know the process. They still hadn’t got the assessment that Michael had denied American Home Shield based off of my contract saying that it was not warrantied.

Bryan was nice. He came through the kitchen sink and he brought in a roto-rooter or snake and tried to clear the line that way. But no one could tell me what was clogging up the line. Michael and Bryan said that we should not use feminine products and flush. My daughter is 24 years old and I am 42 and I have a 17 year old, so we all know not to flush feminine products. But then they never could find anything in the line. Bryan thought he had flushed out the line and told me everything should be running smooth. But in four or five days, I had to get another appointment because it flooded again.

At this point, they still had not gotten the information back from Michael why the service was denied. And I think he didn’t deny services or turn in an assessment because he knew he took my money. The only thing that AHS did was credit me my money because the third plumber that I called was not with AHS but was based off of me looking into Google. I already had three floods by this time. They offered getting a confirmation from a different company and asked if a second opinion would make me feel better. The guy who came out showed me the clean-out pipe is directly in the bathroom where the flood was happening and he did the roto-rooter or the snake through that drain. That was the whole point why Michael denied my services and he charged me. But American Home Shield sent me a check for the amount that I paid to cover those expenses because he lied, he took my money, and it still was not fixed.

But the guy could not produce anything to show me why my bathroom was clogged up or why it was flooding as well. American Home Shield sent another company out, Advanced Appliance. When they came out, I did not like that they told me they set up an appointment with me and as it got closer towards the end of the day, I ended up contacting them to see what time the plumber was coming. They told me that they forgot and that the plumber was not there. He had called out that day and so he wasn’t gonna come. That was on a Monday morning.

They rescheduled me for a Friday and when that day came, they said that plumber was sick and was not there. Again, they didn’t call me and let me know that the plumber was not coming. I ended up calling again and they told me the plumber was not coming because he was sick. He was sick where he went to the hospital which I understood. But I thought their customer service reps would contact me and let me know.

I asked to speak to the supervisor because even if that was the only plumber that has the scope that can go down and look at the drain and see what’s clogging or blocking up the pipe, I felt like someone should have contacted me and let me know. The rep didn’t let me speak to the supervisor but she tried to sweeten me over. She told me that someone would come out and I had to wait again to the following Tuesday morning. I had to wait a whole week and when the plumber came out, he used the scope but didn’t fix the issue. He took pictures and that was it. I haven’t contacted American Home Shield. I don’t even know if it’s gonna happen again because we don’t know what made it happen in the first three times.

The contractors that AHS used, especially the first one who completely did me wrong, put a bad taste in my mouth and there has to be a little bit more checking on these contractors. Other than that, American Home Shield to me has been absolutely the best with customer service trying to help me get these issues fixed. Overall, I would recommend them to a friend and I’ve done that. I’ve shared it on my Facebook page and my Instagram pages because I really like them. I’m the president of the HOA out here in my neighborhood and I’ve told other homeowners about American Home Shield.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: May 21, 2019

We had a leak in our kitchen from our upstairs bathroom and after I made a claim online to American Home Shield, the contractor came out. He did a great job. He was incredibly polite and he was very knowledgeable about what was going on. He figured it out and explained it to us. He found that it was not an actual problem that they could fix and I had to have it fixed a different way. So far, everything has been wonderful with AHS.

Hi Jacqueline,

It was a pleasure to read the feedback about your most recent American Home Shield experience. It is our goal to provide you with the best customer service experience and an even better team of contractors for repairs.

Original review: May 20, 2019

We had an issue with our condensation pump. It was burned out so it was shutting off electrical to the air conditioning unit. I always submit a claim with America Home Shield online and it's good. They assign you someone fairly quickly. They assign the time too. I was gonna be out of town so I had called them to let them know about that. The vendor that AHS assigned my case to worked with me on the out-of-town time. Their technician came while I was out of town and fixed the problem.

I had interactions with the individual that was on the way to fix the unit and there was a slight mix-up on the time. I was down in Florida and I received a phone call saying that he was gonna be about an hour out. I called him back and told him how to get in the house, what to look for, and what was going on. He took it from there. It was very good how he handled the situation. He was quick to follow up, called me back, said the unit was working, there were no issues, described exactly what he had done, and let himself out. The unit has been working great and there have been no problems.

Good morning Daniel,

Your feedback is more than appreciated about your American Home Shield experience. I hope you continue to enjoy the warranty!

Original review: May 19, 2019

In December, my oven broke. I called Home Shield and they sent out Accord Appliance. Accord Appliance came out several times. Each time, they brought a refurbished thing to replace my oven with. So, then they'd take it back, and couple weeks later, they'd come out again. One time, they put it in. It still didn’t work. They came at least the fourth time at that point. All of a sudden, like a week later, the oven started working. So, I called and told them that. It only worked for about a week and then I called them back and told them it wasn’t working again. Finally, the last thing they did was ordered a brand-new part and tried to put it in, and it didn’t work. I should’ve called Home Shield sooner. But I finally called them, told them about it, and they sent out another company who looked at it. Two weeks later, they were back putting the brand-new one in and it works. I went without an oven for four months.

I have had this type of experience with Accord Appliance before, so Home Shield might want to not give me Accord Appliance anymore when I call. They did not answer their phone ever. And the receptionist couldn't care less.The guy that works for Accord Appliance tried so hard to make that oven work, and it just wasn’t working.

Other than that, the contractors were all very nice. And Home Shield seemed to get the people out here. They make an appointment a whole week later and then they come out. And they were just gonna tell you, “This is what's wrong with it. We have to order the parts,” so it’ll be another two weeks. They could speed that up. I know Amazon can get parts to me the next day when I order them, so I don’t know why it takes the other places two weeks to get a part.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I made a plumbing claim with American Home Shield for an injector pump. I do my claims online and the process is easy, but the site doesn’t have the ability to add additional claim for similar type of things. So, if I had two faucets that had a problem, it wouldn’t allow me to put in that there were two. It would just let me check a faucet, and then when the contractor shows up, they’d say, “Well, it’s not on the order.” So, AHS could add that option. Also, I generally have felt the quality of people that have been sent out haven’t been great. So, if I have a bigger project, sometimes I had taken care of it myself versus calling. The contractor that was sent for the injector pump was fine. He wasn’t able to get it fixed, but we actually are selling our home on Monday. So, we’re not gonna use AHS anymore.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I’m satisfied with American Home Shield. My experience has been very good. I filed a claim over the phone to get my A/C fixed, and it was simple for me. I like to talk to somebody because I can write names down and everything like that anytime we get our call. The contractor from Thermodynamic came on that Monday. I called them Saturday. And then it rained on Sunday all day. I called my insurance company and they put all this equipment in to dry that area out and cut my carpet up. Then he came Tuesday because he had to see what was going on. And then he had to bring what he needed to put up there. And that was when he found out that the switch like AB was to C. It should have been to B.

Apparently, when the gentleman replaced the air unit outside, he found the issue and I had to call the other warranty people that we had and find out what company came to install that air handler. So when the water filled up, it should automatically cut off, but it didn’t cut off. When they put it in, they didn’t have the wires connected properly. So that caused a leak in my home in the ceiling, and carpet, and everything. So I had Thermodynamic write a letter indicating what he found, and I had to give that to my insurance company. Nothing with the A/C is leaking. I’m just waiting for a contractor to come in and do what he needs to do to repair everything that needs to be put back. I like American Home Shield, and I like Thermodynamic. Next time I have a problem with my A/C, I want him to come back because he knows what he’s doing.

Deadra,

Thanks for letting us know everything worked out great for you. Taking care of our customers is the main goal here at AHS. I am glad that you were happy with the work done. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I needed an electrician to come out and do some work on my house. The gentleman came out but he wasn't able to fix my problem. I'm having trouble with my floodlight outside. It wouldn't light up at all. The tech never even got up there to look at the outlet, which I thought was strange. He just told me to get bulbs and that American Home Shield doesn't cover bulbs, which I understand. I got some bulbs and put them in. And now, the light fixture in the house, the button that I push to turn the floodlight on and off, it stays on constantly. So I have to shut the circuit breaker off to shut the floodlights off. But they are lighting up. It is so weird.

I had to call the tech to come back because he didn't put the panel back. He left all the wires and the electrical panel in the garage. He just forgot about it. He did come right back and put that on. It seemed like his mind was somewhere else, and he just wanted to get out of here as soon as possible. I wasn't impressed with this contractor.

American Home Shield has been very easy to work with. I've had other people that they hired that have been fabulous. One of the outlets with the pendant light couldn't be fixed. So the tech said that he was going to send American Home Shield some information on the cost of a pendant light because it has to be replaced. He told me if I got a new pendant light, he would put it in and he wouldn't charge me for it.

Good morning Lisa,

Your feedback regarding your American Home Shield experience is more than appreciated. We strive to provide you with great customer service experiences.

Original review: May 19, 2019

When we first moved into our home, our air conditioner wasn’t working right from the get-go. We ended up with American Home Shield through our title company. It was who they suggested, so we just followed their lead and what they said was best for us. And so, I called and I told the warranty company about what was going on with our air conditioner, and they scheduled an appointment to send somebody out.

They sent Texas Best Heating & Air out. I wasn’t home when they came to fix it. My parents were at our house watching our kids for us while my husband and I were out. My dad said the guy was really friendly, really nice, and was quick and efficient, and our air conditioner is working fine now. Apparently, the motor was broken.

Nicole,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with AHS. We are happy that we were able to get the issue resolved for you. Our goal is to pair you with the best contractor that will provide a quick and final resolution. We look forward to our continued business together. Enjoy your day.

Original review: May 19, 2019

I was having power issues, where the pump would throw the breaker. American Home Shield sent out Knock Out Pools and I had some scheduling issues on my end. It took a little while to get them out, then we had some rain. It wasn’t anything on their end, but once they got out, it was great. The technician was there not even for two hours, and the problem was resolved. Everything was fixed and ready to go.

I had Cowtown Pools out last year and they were good. Knock Out Pools was really good this year too, so I had good experiences with them. Earlier on, with Home Shield, we had somebody come out for AC issues and it was kinda the whole process of using the warranty company, where they wanna try to do things before they replaced parts, which I get that it is part of the process. It took a while, but eventually the issue was resolved, and the AC is still working great to this day. Submitting claims is usually really, really easy. I just log on and hit a couple of buttons and somebody calls me, so it is pretty simple. I’ve heard horror stories from other warranty companies, but I haven’t had anything bad with Home Shield. I would recommend them.

Original review: May 19, 2019

We had a hot water heater that we had to have replaced. I filed a claim with American Home Shield online. And they got back with me within 24 hours. It was very quick. The contractor called and asked what the problem was and what they needed to do, and they came out immediately and took care of everything. They were very professional. And took away the old hot water heater. American Home Shield has come in handy and has always been good. We had several claims, and everything has been taken care of within 24 hours of submitting a request.

Linda,

Original review: May 19, 2019

American Home Shield have some great contractors. I called and submitted my claims for the washing machine and refrigerator. Both of the contractors were able to fix the problem. One claim was a bit of a hassle because the tech came back four different times, but he was great the whole time, and everything worked out really well. I also submitted a claim for the garage door and it took two and a half weeks to get fixed. But it wasn’t a big deal. The snow is gone, so I was okay with it. All of them work perfectly now.

I have recommended American Home Shield to everybody, because I had them at my first house, and now, at my second house. I’ve been a customer of American Home Shield for under six years, and they have always been absolutely amazing to work with. If something was rejected, it was a legitimate rejection. They have been wonderful.

Lauren,

Original review: May 19, 2019

I’ve been very happy with American Home Shield. I am a real estate agent and I refer this home warranty company. I have it on my own personal home and I put it on all my clients’ homes. I had my parents have it on five of their properties. But they were a complete nightmare to deal with for this particular claim with my wine cooler. I kept telling them, “Can you please tell the company you’re sending over that brand of what they’re there to repair so we can make sure they can repair it.” It was a nightmare, but everything’s fine now.

Apparently, the compressor on the wine cooler is out, and so they’re repairing that. It’s still not fixed. But the issue was just a communication breakdown. I couldn’t get anybody to understand what I needed, and I don’t have a lot of time to sit at home for six hours for their window of when they’re gonna send somebody over. It was a long process just to get somebody out there. And so, I was just trying to explain to them we need to mainstream this because this is a problem when I’m trying to refer them out. I have clients that work out of the home. If they’re gonna stay at home and wait for a repairman, that repairman needs to be prepared.

It took two weeks to get somebody that was qualified out to the home. And they were amazing, and they’re coming back because they had to order the part. The other issue was like when I was calling, the AHS reps didn’t speak very good English, and so, there was a huge communication breakdown there. And so, when I asked to speak to a manager in charge, the person I was speaking to did not let me speak to anybody above him. And I wasn’t complaining about him, I just needed to speak to somebody that I could speak to and we could communicate and understand each other, and he did not wanna transfer me. So, that ended up being an hour and a half conversation because he kept saying, “I can take care of you. I can take care of you.”

I’ve had American Home Shield for four years on my home, and I don’t make a lot of claims. It’s just a safety net for me to make me feel comfortable knowing that I have something in case something major breaks, and I have my clients choose the same company. I tell them always to renew. I would still recommend American Home Shield.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I had another home warranty company before and they were terrible. They told me they covered everything but they didn’t cover everything. I had a water heater crack but they didn’t cover water tanks and water heaters. I had a garage door spring that broke when I was with my old company and they didn’t cover garage springs, but American Home Shield told me they did but, in fact, they don’t. So, that was kinda shady. Their salespeople sometimes tell you how rosy everything is and then, when you get down to it, sometimes they’re not as rosy as they make it out to be. That’s one “buyer beware” things. But American Home Shield has been pretty reasonable.

My recent deal with the garbage disposal was really simple, and I was impressed. Although the contractor didn't show up on the first day that they were supposed to because their van broke down. It was a pretty ratty van, but the guy did the job. He showed up right on time the next day, put in a new disposal and left. It took him 10 minutes to fix it and he charged me nothing. So, that was good.

Original review: May 18, 2019

On the website of American Home Shield, I could go and tell them what the issue is and usually, within a few hours, I would get a call from the contractor. The process has been seamless. I had an air conditioning problem and there was another problem with my dryer, and AHS sent the same company for both. There were different technicians and they were all excellent. They told me exactly what they were doing. My air conditioning was very old and it would have costed me a lot to just fix and then add the Freon. So, they helped me choose and install the right air conditioner, which was very good. The person was very knowledgeable. The dryer was fixable and the technician gave me tips on how to make sure that the dryer runs good, how to look for something and how to make it safer. So, I have no complaints and I would recommend American Home Shield.

Kirtikumar,

Original review: May 18, 2019

I did some internet research and saw that American Home Shield offered the best for what I was looking for. I’ve called them for a couple of different things and it seemed like I was speaking with someone overseas. Sometimes, they seem to have some difficulty understanding me, and they never seem to get my address correct even though I tried to correct them on that. So, there's some translation issues there, but they were able to contact people in my area in order to help me get some service providers. I've been very pleased with the technicians that AHS has sent. The person who installed the ventilation under the house left a piece of insulation on the ground and I thought it had come detached. The contractor that AHS sent checked it and was able to make sure that there were no holes, everything was secure and that the ventilation system leads directly to the vents of the house. He was able to reassure me that everything was fine.

Hi Raylene,

Original review: May 18, 2019

I called AHS for some leak in my pipes and the representatives I spoke with were very good in responding. They asked where the leak was specifically and how bad it was. I told them I needed it to be fixed fast because I didn’t want the wood to be ruined and they sent the plumber the next day. So, it was nice. When the plumber came, he did his job very well and he was very professional. Everything has been good since the repair. I like American Home Shield. It's a nice company and they're very good but their price is going up a little bit for the next year.

Mirna,

Original review: May 18, 2019

When I first moved in, I submitted a claim to American Home Shield for rekeying the doors and recently, the refrigerator was leaking water. I submitted a claim online and the website was wonderful. I heard that it took so long to get through on the phone but they said that I just needed to file my claim with my credit card number for the deductible. Within 24 to 48 hours, the contractor, Ace, got in touch with me. It was on a weekend, so it was that Monday. Both the rekeyer and Ace were great. I've read Ace has horrible reviews online but I had no problem at all.

The technician from Ace said that the gaskets around the refrigerator weren't sealing tight which was why I was getting a lot of leaking and condensation in the refrigerator section. A refrigerator came but it didn’t work so, a GE repairman was sent out. The refrigerator was damaged and not repairable. GE wanted me to go through the warranty company but I said no. It was nice that AHS went on a conference call with GE and me, and GE said that AHS bought from them. I've had no problems so far with the warranty company at all. I need a new refrigerator so I'm getting another one. It'll be five to seven days but it is through GE.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Our master bedroom ceiling fan wasn't working and I had to call American Home Shield to check if it was covered under our warranty. The rep was very helpful, and the contractor came out quickly and checked it. The tech did a great job. I was really, really pleased with the service. American Home Shield was really easy to use. I just needed to make sure that it was covered because I’m not familiar with every little thing that they do cover. But I’m really, really pleased with American Home Shield. I will make sure that it is renewed every year because they’re an awesome warranty.

Marie Jean,

Your feedback regarding your recent experiences with AHS is greatly appreciated. Our main objective is to provide exceptional service and a quick resolution to all of your home warranty needs. We look forward to servicing you in the future as needed. Enjoy your day.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Galloway Appliance, the contractor that American Home Shield sent out for the appliance, was the best company I ever dealt with. However, it was kind of a bad experience with the plumbing company. The plumbing clogged up and the contractor came out. He tried to clear it but he couldn’t. When he was finally able to clear it, a tiny root came out and he took a picture of that. Then, the plumbing clogged back up again a day and a half later. I called and AHS sent him back out, which made me leave work early to meet him there in the two-hour window. As soon as the company got there, they called AHS and said that there was a root. AHS said they didn’t cover that if there was a root and that the plumbing company couldn't do anything. They told the plumbing guys to leave, and the guys did. They could have given me a bill. I didn’t care about going through American Home Shield if they don't cover it but they didn't do that.

I understand why AHS didn't cover it but how they went about it left my family in a bad situation. They left my family without a toilet and everything else to use. It was not a hundred percent their fault but part of it is the way they handled it. I cleared it myself and I didn't find a single root. AHS had nothing but excuses to give me. It was the worst service I ever had in my entire life, and I'll never use them for plumbing again. It’s not even a year that I have been with AHS and probably when my contract's up or when I feel like I'm done paying them, I'll leave them too.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I'm 52 years old, going on 53. The first time I ever bought a car as an adult at 21 was the first time I had experience with warranties. I found out one thing at a very young age. A warranty is only as good as the bad man you sell it to. So I have a very dim view of warranties. My wife conned me into getting American Home Shield less than six years ago and I kept it for about three months. The whole time, it was a waste of time and money and I cancelled. But she went back and got it on her own a while back.

When we first called in, it was on Tuesday and the woman said the contractor would come out here within 24 to 48 hours. Donna told them I had a very severe heart condition. AC is very important around here. They said they would put in an expedited order and have someone call us within four hours. On Wednesday, I got a text from somebody saying they would be with us within 24 business hours. But the way I read that text, it was gonna be some time Monday before they would come. Also, I only had one text but I'm 52 and I don't do text. Donna said that we should call again so we did. We got a lady on the phone and I asked her upfront to get me a manager because I was very unhappy. I told her that she was just an employee and she was doing as instructed but that she had never dealt with people like me.

After that, I was on a call from a woman in Rockville and I know exactly where that is. That automatically perked my ears because that’s not in our backyard. That's probably a good three hours from us. The lady was very nice but I told her there had been a misunderstanding. We're in Clyde, North Carolina, not Rockville, South Carolina. But she said they've got technicians all out in our area and that they leave out from their house so I said okay. They sent us a guy and I can't complain. They guy got the thing going. He was super nice and friendly too. I couldn't ask for better service. It was a little slow the first round getting somebody out here. But the second company did what they say they would do. They were good people.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I made a claim over the phone at American Home Shield recently for the InSinkErator in the sink, and the contractor came and checked it out. He found that there was something wedged in it, and he removed it. He was very professional, prompt and timely. Another time, the contractor had to come back three times to fully set up. They installed a water heater and that was the last big claim that we had since our water heater broke. He fixed something, then it failed and they installed the new water heater. Then the water didn’t heat up and they had to come back again. Now it’s working.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience Stefanie. I am happy that we were able to resolve both issues. Have an amazing week.

Original review: May 18, 2019

I had an air conditioning issue recently and I called it in and talked to an American Home Shield rep. They were courteous, polite and very helpful. The contractors were very good and they were on-time. Everything was handled professionally.

Good morning Leslie,

I am pleased to hear about your American Home Shield experience and the technicians that serviced you. It is our goal to provide you with the best customer service experience.

Original review: May 18, 2019

We submitted a claim with American Home Shield for our dishwasher, and we were contacted first by a person from Sears Appliance, and he said he was the one assigned to us. So, I went over everything with him and he said, “We don’t handle that brand.” And so, he turned it down and somebody said that the other outfit, Optimum Appliance, would be contacting me, and they did right away. The gentleman that came out was somebody that had done something for the dishwasher before. He did a great job. The rack that we had for getting dishes in and out of the dishwasher came off the track. I couldn’t get it back on the track. I tried and couldn’t get it fixed. The gentleman got everything fixed, and it turned out to be a loose screw on one of the racks that runs in and out of the dishwasher.

Our dishwasher has been performing perfectly since he’s been out. Every day we use dishes and every day we put them in the dishwasher, and we turn it on, but we gotta have the dirty dishes sink in the dishwasher. So, having it repaired had a big effect. I'd recommend American Home Shield. Working with them was excellent. I called right away, I got connected and put in a claim for the fix, and I was contacted right away by somebody. Having American Home Shield is an excellent way to make sure that appliances are working every day, and you don’t have to go and try to find a repairman or repair stuff left and right. There’s a lot of ease connected with it. And they take care of an issue right away and get right to the job, and the problem gets fixed.

Gary,

Original review: May 18, 2019

My AC unit was dumping condensation on my basement floor. After some examination, I discovered that there was some blockages in the cooling coil and a melted condensation tray that was causing the leak off the cooling coil. So, I contacted American Home Shield and they hooked us up with York mechanical. And they ended up looking it over and deciding it needed a new coil. We also paid them to replace the condenser outside. They were very professional, very timely, and showed up when they said they would.

The process of submitting claims has been easy thus far. As far as when we call in, they usually respond right away with a call or email. And I’ve really got no complaints. We had a previous issue with our refrigerator, and they helped us get that resolved. It had been kind of a mess because the seal on the refrigerator wouldn’t set right. And the folks that they recommended for us came out several times until they got it fixed. It took a while to get things resolved, but they stuck with it and got it resolved. And the whole time, everybody was courteous and helpful. The first guy that they sent out was super nice. He was a young kid, and he just wasn’t getting the job done. And finally, a more senior tech or maybe he was an owner, came out and was able to resolve the problem. So far, we’ve been pleased with American Home Shield. We looked at a number of different plans, and this one seemed to be the best in comparison.

Ray,

Original review: May 18, 2019

I called AHS because the air conditioner wasn’t working and the person I talked to was great. The tech was here within an hour and got it taken care of. Everything with AHS was very satisfactory. It worked out great.

Hi Pamela,

I am pleased to hear about your most recent experience with American Home Shield and the air conditioner repairs that were completed.

Original review: May 18, 2019

The pipe on the air conditioner was freezing up all the way up to the coil in the attic. The service guy that was sent by American Home Shield for my air conditioning did a good job. He put some Freon in it, cleaned the unit, and it’s working now. Everything was good with American Home Shield. They are kinda high though. So they could cut back on the price.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for providing feedback as well as sharing your warranty experience Bernard. Have an amazing week.

American Home Shield’s coverage exclusions

A home warranty is intended to be a safeguard against the normal wear and tear of common home systems and appliances. Home warranties do not cover structural issues, personal belongings or damage caused by natural disasters. Those types of issues are generally covered by homeowners insurance. In addition, American Home Shield’s warranty does not cover routine maintenance, cosmetic defects or system or appliance upgrades.

In some cases, there may be parts or components of a covered system or appliance that are not covered. For example, garage door openers are covered under the combo plan, but the door and door track assemblies are not.

American Home Shield’s coverage limits

A coverage limit is the maximum dollar amount a home warranty company is willing to pay out per item or per contract term. As a customer, you would be responsible to pay for any amount over the cap. In some cases, if the cost to replace an item is above the cap, the company may offer to provide a cash payout to the customer. You would then be responsible for making up the difference and replacing the item yourself.

ItemAHS coverage limit
AppliancesUp to $3,000 per covered item
Air conditioning and heating unitsUp to $1,500 per contract term
PlumbingUp to $1,000 per contract term
Well pumpUp to $1,500 per contract term
All other systemsNo cap specified

American Home Shield claims

Getting your appliances and systems serviced by American Home Shield is a straight-forward process managed through an online portal.

1. Submit a claim via American Home Shield’s online portal.
  2. Choose to pay your service call fee immediately or upon completion of service.
  3. Wait for an assigned technician to reach out to schedule your appointment, generally within 24 hours.
  4. Service call takes place.
  5. Payment is processed via the online portal.

American Home Shield has a 60-day service recall period, meaning if you experience the same issue within that time period or the repair wasn’t successful, they will send another technician to your home to address the issue at no additional fee.

American Home Shield FAQ

Does American Home Shield require a home inspection?
No. American Home Shield does not require a home inspection before beginning a home warranty contract.
How do I cancel American Home Shield?
You can call American Home Shield to cancel your contract at any time. Cancel in the first 30 days to receive a full refund. Cancel at any time after 30 days and receive a pro-rated refund for the remainder of your term.
Is there a limit on repairs?
No. There is no limit on the number of repairs during a contract period. However, there may be a dollar amount limit per item or per term. Your contract will have these details.

Is American Home Shield worth it?

Whether or not a home warranty is worth it depends on a few factors, chief among them is how much you use it. A home warranty can easily pay for itself with one major repair. Overall, we find that American Home Shield offers good coverage at a fair rate. With its wide-reaching availability and plan variety, American Home Shield should have a plan to suit most homeowners.

American Home Shield Company Information