3.97/5
    1925
  • 1 star
Based on 3,510 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. Together, with our wholly owned subsidiary, we service nearly 1.6 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (3)
BBBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

18917 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I've had American Home Shield for 6 years and my time with them is ending this month. They doubled my rates and told me I would not be allowed to sign up for anything they offer online. I've been pleased and displeased with this company over the years. One main thing I was unhappy about is plumbing clogs. Instead of just changing out my garbage disposal they continued having me pay a $75 service fee every time they came out. Can't even count the number of times. They also would not allow their plumbers to go on the roof to clear clogs. If you live in FL this is a problem.

They did finally replace the garbage disposal. No problems since with that area of the house. The tech they did send installed it wrong and flooded my cabinet and floor and someone else had to come out. Their hold times are unacceptable and their lack of having service people available to come out is unsatisfactory. Had to get an outside vendor to fix our last issue although AHS did reimburse. Doubling my premiums isn't going to happen. Will try another company and see how it goes. Their response and service is getting worse and worse. Lucky I gave them 3 stars.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

The heater was turning on but it wasn’t heating the house. So I filed a claim online with American Home Shield and the technician fixed it very quickly. After the repair, the heater's working great. I also checked to make sure that other easy things that would normally cause the heater to be wrong were fixed, and that it will run well for the next ten years.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I've claimed for an icemaker to American Home shield. The problem started two months ago. I made the claim online, and compared to First American that I've had before, American Home Shield's contractor did a great service. I love him!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

With American Home Shield, submitting a claim over the phone is worthless. The wait time on the phone is awful and we've waited on the line for over 45 minutes, so we do everything online now and we get so much progress that way. And what they do really well is they cover what they say they're going to cover and they don't pest you around and try to deny a claim. There was what appeared to be staining from a leak in our basement and the dishwasher railing was off and wasn't closed correctly. The contractor was very professional and has great customer service. He took a look at things and diagnosed it quickly. He ordered two separate parts for it and came back in a week and took care of it. And the dishwasher works great now.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We have had an AHS warranty for over a decade. Most experiences and vendors have been excellent. The current vendor AHS has selected for our AC repair has been the most unprofessional company I have ever experienced. I have made every attempt to communicate this to AHS to no avail. The vendor is deliberately stalling to handle our AC repair. Going into the 2nd week of no air conditioning. We are being held hostage by the vendor and AHS - Frustrated beyond belief... Not to mention HOT!

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service. A social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My experience with American Home Shield was great and wonderful. It started out when the air conditioning went out, which I have a combined heat and air, and a gas pipe. I submitted the claim over the telephone. I called and gave them the information such as the type of unit it was and certain things like that, and they handled it from there. They sent me an email to let me know that someone was coming out, and that was fine. The contractor was from Guaranteed Services. They worked on the unit and discovered that the furnace was bad, as well as the air conditioner. They discovered the heat exchanger had a crack in it so, they replaced the unit. They got me a unit sorted out here and plugged it in.

They were very courteous and kind and did their job very well. I couldn't have been happier with the service I got with them. I also called them up and told their office manager what a fine job they had done. I don't plan on looking any further for a company to work with except American Home Shield. They’re the greatest. I never had them with not one finished problem and I have recommended some of my friends to contact them and talk to them.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I got an email suggesting that locks were part of the warranty that I have with American Home Shield. I didn't realize that before. So I called them to set up an appointment to have the locks changed and it was easy. I've been using the online piece as well in filing my claims and that's been really simple. The contractors they've sent out have been great and I really like them. I'd bring them back. I’m also looking to some more plumbing work and I know American Home Shield will reach out to the person that they had brought in. The quality of the repair is perfect and I've been very pleased with the service.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I’ve been using American Home Shield for 25 or 30 years and it's easy to file a claim. I used to do it over the phone, but the waiting time is quite extensive, so I do it online now. The contractors are all usually great. Recently, the icemaker was leaking and they had to order parts, they ordered them and came back. AHS is great, they offer great value for the home and I'm an advocate

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

We always call American Home Shield to submit claims. It’s a little bit better for us and we do it in Spanish, so it facilitates the process but it’s quite good. The reps at American Home Shield have been very professional and they take the claim. We had a problem with the dishwasher, and initially, they assigned the job to one company who didn’t call me so I called American Home Shield back, and then they assigned the contract to another company, and they came in about a week. They saw the problem, and because it was an old appliance, they had to find the spare parts that were needed, and they ordered it. Unfortunately, it didn’t work, so we had to change the appliance, and we agreed with American Home Shield to have a new one. We shared the price, but it was good.

We decided to buy a stainless steel LG dishwasher, so it fits in our kitchen. They came and installed it and they took the other one. It is very new and it’s working fine and I noticed that the noise is much smaller than what we had before, so it’s more convenient. Overall, having the insurance with American Home Shield has been a good one. And their response has always been very professional and on time.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

There was a leak in the plumbing behind our washing machine. We just turned it on one day and it started leaking. I called American Home Shield and they were out the next day. The process was very easy and the contractor who came was very professional.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I moved into my current house about seven months ago and have been with American Home Shield since then. The heater isn't working great for my first winter so I called American Home Shield but the wait was supposed to be over 30 minutes. I didn't have time to stay since I'm a medical practitioner so I submitted the claim online. Everything looked fast and efficient because I got a call from the heating company within a few hours. When the very nice guy came a few days after, everything went great. He was efficient and has to order parts which would arrive in 3-4 business days.

The only thing with American Home Shield that I was not aware of and not excited about is they put some freon in my unit and they asked for me to pay for the freon. I've had Sears Home Appliance in my old house and they weren't charging for the freon. I only had the monthly co-pay where I had a $100 in every service call and anything else they did was not charged. The heat is covered with the home and if I pay $100 for the services then the freon should be part of it. Still, my experience with American Home Shield is good so far.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

My ceiling fan wasn’t working, so we called American Home Shield over the phone and they sent us an e-mail stating what company would be calling us. The company called us, set up an appointment, came out and fixed our fan. It was a great experience and I’m very pleased with AHS. Every time we use them, it works out well.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I have two houses, so combined, I have filed about seven claims with American Home Shield and I’ve been with them for about five years now. I usually call to make a claim and the wait time takes about 10, 15, 20 minutes. Their reps were friendly and their contractors were all right. My only issue is the time they had to take to come back. One time, I had a washer and they had to replace it. That took over two months for them to replace. They had to decide to repair the washer before they decide to replace it. Another problem I had was with the faucet dripping. It took a long time because they said they had to get the parts.

My upstairs bathroom in the hallway was dripping. That went for a long time too because they sent somebody to repair it and then they said they would order the part. It took more than two months before the part finally came. Right now, when they came to do the repair on the faucet that was dripping and they damaged the drywall. There's a hole in one of the bedrooms that they had to cut to repair the dripping faucet. They said they would send somebody to repair the drywall but they haven't yet. I called once and they still haven't sent anybody to repair the drywall. But I would still recommend AHS.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I've been thoroughly disgusted with American Home Shield. It took three years for them to get my electrical problem fixed. I couldn't use my kitchen lights because it keeps tripping the breaker and I was fearful that my house would catch on fire. A friend of mine who is a realtor gave me a contact with this AHS and she was the one that expedited things. All of the electricians that came, except for the last one, did not know what the hell they were doing. He found the problem and he said that indeed the house can catch on fire with this issue going on. So, I was correct with my fear. Because of this guy fixing the issue, I will be asking for him or I will call him directly.

Also, during another time, the drip pan on my AC system had a hole in it that their tech did not see and it caused the ceiling, about 1ft x 3ft, to get wet in my closet. It could have been a lot worse. I had someone who's very skilled and whom I trust go up there and he saw that someone had duck taped the drip pan. That was very upsetting and that's going to cost me $180 to have that fixed which I don't think I should be paying for. I

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I’ve been with American Home Shield for more than two years and it's been a good experience with them. It wasn't difficult to navigate through their system when I submitted online a claim to them regarding the garbage disposal. Also, the contractor guy was fantastic. The garbage disposal is now working well.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

It’s good to have peace of mind with American Home Shield. I had an air conditioning problem and it ended up being a Freon leak. I submitted the claim to American Home Shield online and by phone at the same time because I didn’t know exactly how to do it. Their reps were really good but their contractor wasn't that great. One guy in the AC company was good but another one was sloppy. He could have fixed it right then and there but I waited two weeks for it to get fixed. A second guy had to come in and ordered the wrong part. Then I waited for the second part to come in. But they were really good about calling and following up. The air conditioning has been great since the repair. It could have gotten worse. The same company fixed it but it was a minor problem which they could have solved that same day and I would not have had to wait for the part.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I woke up in the middle of the night and I heard a noise. It was my water busted up in the attic. I couldn't do anything until morning to call AHS. I called and they said that a tech would be out, not that day, but the next day. So, I had to go shut the water off and I didn't have any water for a day. Their rep could be a little bit nicer on the phone though. When the tech came, he didn't have the part with him. He had to make another trip somewhere to get to the hardware store and come back to put the part in. He advised me to have the insurance company pay to have all the things changed because it happened again. He was just very friendly and polite. Since the repair, the water has not been leaking anymore.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I called American Home Shield and made an appointment for my heating and air. The rep was helpful, friendly and processed everything. The contractor came on time and called before they came. They looked at the heater for me and made sure everything was ready for the cold weather. It was a service call and they were very helpful. The company offered an annual service plan, and when I called, they said they would call me back on Tuesday and they never called back. The company was not very reputable for Home Shield to be using them if they saw the comments from a lot of the customers. When I looked at the reviews online, the reviews were all very negative. Home Shield should have better suppliers.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

The top side of the attic that I use was creating a leak in my ceiling. There was some overflow in my AC's drip pan, and the PVC pipe that comes out of there and goes outside was clogged. Submitting a claim to American Home Shield was excellent. They're very prompt to come out and take care of the issue. I pay my $75, and I'm a happy customer. I've used them many times on several of my properties and I’d recommend them to my friends.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I had a problem with my washing machine. I submitted a claim with American Home Shield online on a Saturday, I got a response on Monday, and the company came out on Tuesday. The contractors were professional. AHS was prompt and the results were very satisfactory. The experience has been good so far and I hope it stays that way.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

When we sold the house, the buyers let some inspectors go in and they found leaks in the ductwork of the air conditioning and some crushed up work. They wanted us to pay $3,000 to fix that. I told them that we're going to call our home warranty people instead, and so we contacted AHS. The people I spoke to on the phone were fine and the people that came out were good. The lines that they said were crushed weren't hooked up. They were just extra lines up on the roof. Also, they said that air conditioning might have had some leak on the platinum and they fixed that.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

All three of my appliances were not working. The home I recently purchased had American Home Shield. I've previously had them and always submitted claims online, which was easier, but this time, because the policy was still in the previous owner’s name, there was a little confusion, so I had to do it over the phone. They sent out an appliance person, who said the problem was electrical, but then they sent out an electrical person who said it's the appliances. This was verified by a third party they sent out. They then sent out a different appliance company who ended up almost fixing all three of my appliances. I still have one outstanding. I got a the runaround between contractors who diagnosed differently from each other, but they weren’t rude.

Every time I call American Home Shield, I’m on hold for an hour. Because all of this was messed up, I was on the phone over a period of two weeks for nine hours. Contacting them on the phone is ridiculous. Also, there is no way to email back and forth between myself and a representative. If they had email, I wouldn’t have to stay on hold on the phone.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

The hot water heater on the bottom floor of our house over in Alabama had a problem. It started about three days prior to us contacting American Home Shield to have them come out and check it. I submitted the claim online and their website was great. Then my daughter met the workers who came out and they were very pleasant to deal with. They took care of everything and it was a very easy process. They repaired the heater and I was impressed. I had to do two calls, and they called and came out when they said they would. Everything went great and that made me go ahead and do another year with them. I would highly recommend American Home Shield.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

We have been with American Home Shield for years in various states that we've lived in and we have always been pleased with the manner in which they conduct their business. We usually get a repairman out very quickly and we're happy. When the igniter was off on our gas oven, I submitted a claim online and it was an easy process to go through. The person who came to repair was very professional, seemed to know exactly what he's doing, and had the part on his truck. He took care of it very quickly and the gas oven has been very good since the repair. It's a positive experience. We have recommended American Home Shield and have paid membership to part of our family to get them with AHS.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

The backwash valve of my pool was leaking and I didn't realize it until my sprinkler guy came out because I had a leaking sprinkler head. So between the sprinkler and the valve allowing the water to leak out of my pool, it was costing me $45 more a month on my water bill. I called American Home Shield and filed a claim for the O ring on that backwash valve. Their rep took down all the notes of what I needed, told me they would get in touch with the pool company and I would be getting an email and a phone call. I did within hours and they scheduled it for me. She was very professional and put the contractors in contact with me really quickly.

Then the contractor showed up on time and he was knowledgeable. I explained to him that there were several different issues all tied in to that one O ring because the vent was dripping. And when I went to backwash it, it shot water out of that vent all the way down to my sidewalk. I also needed all my filters checked in the backwash. I needed to see if the manifold needed cleaning. He took it apart and said they didn't need cleaning. And then he did the O ring thing. So he addressed multiple issues and the valve has been perfect since the repair. My pool is not leaking water anymore and I'm very happy with their service. I have recommended AHS to my friends.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

We had just moved in and when I went to turn on the heater, it wasn’t working. So I called American Home Shield and it was easy to file my claim. The contractors knew exactly what they needed right away and they fixed it quickly. The heater is working perfectly now. Everybody was nice and it was a great experience. We’ll continue to keep American Home Shield.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I submitted four different claims on American Home Shield's website. They all went smoothly and their website was user friendly. Mr. Appliance came out for the wall oven and dishwasher. They were excellent and professional. AHS replaced the whole unit so I was happy. They have been helpful and I am pleased. The wall oven was delivered was supposed to be delivered in three weeks but AHS told me that it should be up in three days. They also said they would install it and haul off the old unit, but nobody ever got back to me to do the install. So, I had it installed. I was under the understanding that somebody was going to contact me but they never did. And when I got online, I looked up the information and it said the issues were complete. But I'm going to take some responsibility on the fact that I haven't contacted them back. If I had called them, they probably would have gotten somebody out there to do it.

I have an outstanding claim for the air duct right now and it has not gone so smooth. AHS didn't have a contractor in-contract with them that would do the repairs that I needed to be done so they had me contact outside contractors. They had me get multiple companies to come give estimates on repairs and each company wanted a $100 to come out. And now that I've got estimates and turned them in, AHS is telling me I have a $500 cap so the claim has been a little frustrating. I wish I had known I had a $500 deductible. For what I needed to be done, I got estimates of $8,000 and $15,000. I have an email from AHS that they're going to give me cash in lieu of repair but I don't understand whether the cash in lieu of repair is $405 when the cap was $500 and I've already paid a contractor $95 to come look at it. They're taking that $95 that I paid to the contractor out of the $500 in lieu of repair which doesn't make any sense to me.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

We've been with American Home Shield for about 5 months and we've been happy with them. My wife usually submits a claim over the phone and I've also done it online. They are reasonably easy to work with. However, they put you on hold for a long time. Plus, if you call in at the end of the day, they might put you on hold and leave you on hold forever. We had a built-in GE microwave with an oven which was built in 1985. They shared control panel, and at some point, the control panel LED stopped functioning on the microwave, so I couldn’t control the settings on the microwave. A person came in and they attempted to find parts, but the parts were not available so they decided to go with a replacement. However, that has not yet been installed.

We've been dealing with the claim for three weeks and they were fast. They spent a week or so looking for parts. The contractors were fine and we've got the installers scheduled for Wednesday. But we're not sure if it's going to fit because we can't find the space to put it in. We'd feel better if the person who comes out was willing to make adjustments, but it's a service they don't provide. I spent an hour trying to get a hold of AHS before giving up. We called the contractor and decided to take a chance. If it doesn’t work, it'll have to be adjusted. It introduces some uncertainty into the process, but maybe everything will go perfectly. But so far, American Home Shield has been fine.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

My water heater wasn't leaking but it slowly but surely stopped getting hot, so I submitted a claim online and the website was okay. It turned out that it wasn't really the water heater. My home is heated by a thermal system which runs off the water heater and the issue was the thermal coupler that was in my heating unit that was coming from the heater. The tech was extremely knowledgeable and he was able to fix it. I'm an ex-contractor and I was very impressed with him.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

We had an awesome experience with American Home Shield. We had a faucet in the bathtub of our hallway bathroom. My husband was taking a bath and the faucet blew off. We looked for a faucet and thought that we'll just fix it ourselves, but realized that the faucets we were looking at were not going to do the trick. It was a Saturday and we thought we'd call on Monday and get a plumber to fix it for us. I was in an extra bedroom and the carpet was all wet. I told my husband that we had a problem and that we had a leak somewhere. We pulled back the carpet and the padding was all wet. So I called American Home Shield and told the rep what the problem was. She was very helpful and before she even had all the info, she already called and dispatched the plumber. She told us that it was a serious thing since we had wet carpet on the floor.

Within 15 minutes, someone from Lovett A1 Plumbing called us and told us that he would be here within 20 minutes. He came out and spent a couple of hours here. Plus, he also tried to find a faucet that would work. He had to cut a hole in that wall of the bedroom to see where the leak was coming from. It was behind where the bathtub faucet was. The water ran back behind the walls somehow and came up under the other wall. He cut two little holes in my bedroom wall and he kept monitoring it through the whole process. Plus, he finally found a faucet that would work. He fixed it and had to work with the copper pot that came off the wall, where the faucet was attached. He worked very well and I really appreciate him.

American Home Shield Company Information