Call toll free
4.22/5
Based on 11,004 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. We service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (1)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

32405 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Whenever I reach out to American Home Shield, their reps are pretty quick. They get the information they need, and usually within a few days, I’d get somebody out. I was having issues with my garage door which would sporadically stop working. Sometimes, I would click the remote and it would start to go, but then it would stop or it wouldn’t open or close all the way. It kept doing that for about two weeks. All of a sudden, one day when I went to open the garage, the sprocket that drives the chain broke off and couldn’t do anything after that.

I called American Home Shield and had someone come out and look at that. I got the owner of Smokey’s to come down, and that was December 31st. When everybody else was home resting and enjoying their vacation, he came out and helped with my problem. I was really impressed and grateful for that. He was very thorough and he went through explaining the whole process. He told me that what happened to the sprocket was a very common thing that would happen with older garage motors where the sprocket would break off because over time, they would wear out. He showed me the part and noted that was pretty common. He took a brand new one out of his truck and opened it right in front of me, and I looked at it. It was really good service. I’ve had on and off home warranties in other homes, and I really like American Home Shield.

American Home Shield response

Good morning, Jose. Thank you for taking the time to advise us of your experience. We appreciate the positive feedback.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Our heat was not coming on and we called American Home Shield and the process was super simple. I got a callback immediately and they sent two guys out the same day. The two guys did something and the heat came on but then that night, we had another problem with it. It turned out there was something wrong with our thermostat. They came back the next day and they replaced our thermostat and they were very fast. My experience with AHS was awesome. They exceeded my expectations.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

The furnace wouldn't ignite. But I could hear the fan come on. It just wouldn’t ignite. I purchased this house in October so I wasn’t familiar with how the system with the warranty company works. So I went into my book and called the number that was listed under that warranty service then it was a couple of days before Consolidated Mechanical could come out. I was out there watching the technician how he did it and he did a great job. It was a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Our most recent claim with American Home Shield was the garbage disposal. I submitted the claim over the phone and doing it was very easy. The service I had with their contractor was very nice, professional and fast. They had the garbage disposal with them and it has been working very well since the repair.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We had a heating problem and American Home Shield sent Anthem Mechanical out. It wasn’t working at all. It needed something about the heater. And they came and replaced it. Submitting the claim was very easy. The only problem I have is until I get them on the phone. I call them and I get at least a half-hour wait before somebody gets on the phone. Once I get that far, they’re great because then, I tell them the problem, they send somebody out, and they take care of it.

They were very helpful. They asked me my problems, I told them what was wrong, they sent out this guy from Mechanical, he came and went to check everything with our heater and air conditioner up in the attic. He put on the thermostat and it worked, but no heat came out. So, he found a part that he needed, they had to order it and it took about a week or so until they got it, and they came back and fixed it.

I've been with AHS for several years and I have multiple policies. There was one time that I had a bad contractor. We had the condensation pipes clogged up and we had a leak and it spilled out. They sent out two guys, and all they spoke was Polish. And all they knew were, “No water,” “Air conditioner good.” And finally, they sent out a guy who spoke English, and he found the leak and he fixed it. But until that point, it was misery.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Our most recent claim has something to do with the furnace. When the furnace wasn't working properly, there was no heat and we're cold sometimes. It was a great inconvenience. I made a call to American Home Shield to initiate the activity and everything was taken care of. The service was great and everything was good. The interactions I had with their contractor, Stadjuhar's Heating & Cooling, was very fine. They were all good when they came out. Several times, our experience with American Home Shield has always been excellent and I had nothing to complain about.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

When submitting a claim with American Home Shield, I usually call them up and tell them what's going on, and they ask for my account number. Then they get somebody out there and it's usually not long for the contractor to come out for the service. After the job is done, I pay the $75 fee and any extras that I have to pay. Recently, our water heater was leaking on the bottom and all over the floor, and we filed a claim with AHS. The contractor that they sent took three days to come out because it was the holiday. It was very nice dealing with them, but the only thing that I didn’t understand was that I had to pay $225 because a new code came out that you've got to have a pan under the water heater now. But they said they just do that for new homes, so I don’t know if they upgraded my water heater. Other than that, I've been with AHS for a lot of years and I'm very happy with them.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Our recent experience with AHS was great. I had a fan go out on a compressor and submitting the claim was super easy. I did it online, paid my fee and went from there. The contractors were pretty much set to come out right away. We were leaving to go out of town, so I delayed them. I set it up after we were back on the 2nd, and it worked fine. The guy showed up. He was on time, polite and courteous. Everything was good. I have zero complaints. My contact at American Home Shield, the lady that sold me the policy, followed up. I’ve had a lot of rentals and through her persistence, the company signed up four more properties. She’s a good saleswoman and she really talked it up and got me to buy four more. I’m very happy.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We recently had two claims with AHS. We had a water heater that went bad and a garage door opener spring that broke. I submitted the claim on the website, and within minutes, the contractors called me back to set up an appointment. The water heater took a little longer because the plumber came out and surveyed the repair necessary. And it was during the holidays. So, it took about two weeks to get a water heater installed. Thankfully, we had two water heaters in our house and we were able to make do. I understood perfectly that we weren't able to get it repaired sooner than two weeks because it happened right before Christmas. We were very satisfied with our experience with AHS. They were great.

Good morning Nico,

It was a pleasure reading your feedback. I am pleased to hear about how fast we were able to correct both the water heater and garage door repairs.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We always submit our claims with AHS online. Their website is okay, but we can’t really put in details of what the claim is, and we have to depend on discussions whenever they call to follow up and schedule the appointments. And if there’s more than one thing like when we had two appliance issues, it's not easy to get data via the website. When we had an issue with the light on the vent hood and there was a warming sensor that was not functioning on my cooktop, my spouse filed our claim and N & K Appliance Service came out. They were courteous, clean, and respectful. The warming sensor works now. Before the repair, the light in the vent hood was irritating and to be able to see now is great. I recommend a home warranty on your house. It’s very valuable.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I had an issue that had something to do with the shutter in my bathroom, and the guy from Bishop Plumbing put in one of those metal grip bars. I had to have a grab bar in there because I’m a little unsteady on my feet. My son takes care of most of the claims and I tell him when something doesn’t work. The technician who came was very nice, and he did the work. Also, they even knew each other. Having American Home Shield has been fine, so far.

American Home Shield response

Hello, Jolie. I am so pleased to know that you are receiving the quality of service that you should. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how well your experiences have been.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I've had American Home Shield for several years and they've always been reliable. Although there have been difficulties and I usually had something that broke every year, they've always been on top of things. When I had plumbing problems with some faucets recently, AHS sent out Blue Star Plumbing. I've had this contractor before and they were excellent. Blue Star always sent a crew of two plumbers together. The plumbers came in, introduced themselves, and got about their work. First, they took a look at everything that needed to be done, then they went about getting the problem serviced. If there was anything that they couldn't handle at the time, they arranged for the parts and called back. In my recent plumbing problems with the faucets, they needed the parts and ordered these for me, then they fixed three out of four faucets. I find the service of AHS outstanding.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I used to call American Home Shield when submitting claims but I did it online for the heat pump of the furnace. I was looking at the phone number and it said that I could do it online. The contractor was here the next day and he was good. I’ve been with AHS for several years and I don’t have a problem with them. I recommended them to several friends.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

There was a leak in the pipes below the sink in the hall bathroom and I called it in with American Home Shield. Their representative was good and the contractors that AHS sent were quick. They diagnosed the problem fast and then, they were able to spot on something. It was an easy fix and all was good.

American Home Shield response

Hi, Allen. Thank you for your positive feedback!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I had a claim for a leaky toilet and American Home Shield sent out Dockside Plumbing. Their technician got the job done and he did it well. He came twice for two different reasons and got both of them done quickly and very professional. The only thing I don’t like about AHS is that they have changed the payment. I do the monthly payments to them, so I have it yearly, but they've now changed it. Instead of paying $75 to the contractor, I now pay them directly. They have it where either the contractor could take the money out right then or they take it out right after the service. But they take it immediately out of my account, which is fine because the money is there. But, in a way, it rubbed me the wrong way, only because it took any control of payment away from me. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with my experience with this company.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We called American Home Shield to set up a claim for my washer, and it was easy. For our refrigerator though, that was not how our experience went last year. We had problems getting someone scheduled because AHS didn’t have anybody who could work on our Whirlpool fridge. And my wife is still going on about it. We went through nightmares trying to get that done. But this time was smooth and good. It was the same people who came to fix our dryer before and they're always good. The tech came out and he knew right what it was and did what he needed to do then got on his way. And the washer has been working fine.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My experience with American Home Shield was good, simple, and quick. Their online site was easy. When I submit my claim, I do it online. Their contractor came over to check out our dishwasher. He was really nice. He told me what was going wrong then showed me what he was doing to fix it, and left. Our dishwasher has been performing well since then.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience. We look forward to handling you future warranty needs. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My hot water heater did not stop working but the hot water would leak out through the overflow every time it would heat the water. So, not only was I wasting gallons and gallons of water but it also took forever to finally replace it. I had to call the repair company to find out when they were gonna do it. AHS should keep better contact with the customers and should have followed up. I shouldn’t have had to call the repair company. AHS was happy to replace it but they wanted to make sure that I knew that they were gonna have to make all kinds of modifications in it. It was gonna cost me more and I didn’t have a lot of choice. I was charged the $75 for the house call and I was also charged $475 for the modification. My house is only 20 years old and should not have needed those. So, I’m not happy with American Home Shield. On the other hand, the technician was okay and the water heater that he put in works fine.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

We submitted a claim online to replace our pool pump and we put the deposit in, but for some reason, the money never went through so we had all sorts of problems there. I got some e-mails saying it hadn’t gone through and the original company that was gonna come out never turned up initially, so I had to phone again. Somebody else was sent out, but in the meantime, the first company turned up. When I looked up my account, I’d been charged two lots of $75, so it wasn’t great.

AquaBright Pool and Spa Repair came out and their technician fitted the new motor pump but apparently, it was defective, so he went straight back to the wholesaler. He got another pump, came back and fitted it. Up and running, it was fine. There have been hiccups with this particular claim, but I’m generally quite happy. I understand these things take place and it all got sorted out in the end. I would recommend American Home Shield.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Our AC wasn’t working and evidently, the compressor was bad. I called American Home Shield to make a claim and spoke to a live rep. Their contractor, Royal AC, Inc., did a great job. The repair took four hours and their technician had to replace the unit. Since then, the AC works great. Their technician will also be coming out on Monday to do a follow-up just to make sure things are working correctly.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

When my refrigerator wasn’t cooling right, I submitted a claim to American Home Shield online. Their scheduling is automatic. The contractor is good and our interactions with him were excellent. My refrigerator is working fine since then.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I called American Home Shield to submit the claim when the fan motor went out in the unit. Their customer service reps are very professional. The service provided by the contractor they sent out, HKS Heating and Air Conditioning, was very good and I was very pleased. The guy knew what he was doing and it didn't take him very long. He had to put a new motor and a fan to fix the problem. The unit has been performing very well since then. I'm glad to have American Home Shield.

American Home Shield response

Great Kerry! I am happy that we have been able to resolve your heating issue. We loo forward to handling your warranty experience. Have an amazing week.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I like to call to file a claim with American Home Shield when a problem comes up. This time, the buttons on the oven at the top, wherever you first bake, weren't working when you set the time and the temperature. If you try to turn the temperature on, it was just straight through. A guy and a girl came out from Kinston Refrigeration Company and they were really nice people. Everything’s been good since then. But I also used American Home Shield for my air and stove and on both times, it took almost two weeks to get a replacement. So I went that long without a stove and air. I know they have to order parts and they’ve had to order it from a certain place but it sucks to be that long without something. Still, I would mention American Home Shield to everyone.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

Whenever we have problems that come up, I send an email to American Home Shield then I call them and follow up. When our oven wasn't working, their contractor, Hotshot Appliance Service came out and fixed it then AHS charged me later for the invoice. The technician was very friendly, courteous, and nice. They did an excellent service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I've been having an excellent experience with American Home Shield. There was a time when I had an issue with my icemaker in my refrigerator. I put in the claim online and didn't have issues with their website. North Star Appliance Repair came out but then they had to order a part. They went through AHS to get it and it took a couple of weeks. A young man from North Star came out on new year's eve and stayed 'til at least 7 o'clock at night fixing the refrigerator. However, there was once a plumber they sent that I had issues with. That plumbing company was terrible and I had an awful experience with them. Still, AHS directed me to someone else. Overall, they've been great. Other people should use their service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

American Home Shield is great. Whenever I'd speak to their reps, the experience has been good. They'd help out and they knew what I was talking about. The last contractor that they sent out was perfect, too. My heater wasn’t working and they sent Oasis Heating & Air out for it. However, the guy from On Time Plumbing was terrible. He came out four times and it was just a waste of my time and money as I took off work three times. He also came on his own the day I wasn't home. Then, the last gentleman came out and fixed the problem, and it was okay. He was good.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I recently bought a house and it was standard to change the lock. I made an online claim for that and American Home Shield's website was very easy to use. The only hiccup I had was my realtor was paying for the service for me. I had to give her my log-in information so she could log in and pay on my behalf. Otherwise, I had an amazing technician who came and changed my locks. It was really easy and he was in and out. I had an all-around pleasant experience. American Home Shield was great and did exactly what I expected them to do.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I called American Home Shield to submit a claim since I was not good with computers. One side of my cooktop was not working and the contractors changed the coil. They were professional and came in on time. Usually, everything is working once they fix it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We have several houses with American Home Shield and we have been with them for a year now. We mostly place our claims online but whenever we have questions, their reps have always been very professional and they help us. We are satisfied with the service so far. Their contractor responds within 24 hours and they will come back if they need to. They will also tell us if they need to place an order then they will let us know whenever they come back to fix it. I would recommend American Home Shield.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

We had a problem with our washing machine and our refrigerator, and I had a very easy experience in submitting the claims to American Home Shield. They sent out Appliance Pros of Tallahassee within 24 hours. Appliance Pros also contacted me those times and they were at my house within 24 hours of the initial call. They were very friendly, polite, and respectful of my home. I was comfortable having them there and I didn’t feel like they were trampling through the house. They did a great job and gave good customer service too. The quality of the repairs have been excellent and I have had no issues since those were fixed. We've been under the AHS program for a year now and I’m pleased with their service. In this day and age, I don’t expect to have good customer service anymore so it’s wonderful to get it. I would highly recommend American Home Shield.

American Home Shield expert review by Michele Lerner

American Home Shield (AHS) was founded in 1971 and is part of the ServiceMaster family of companies. AHS provides warranty coverage to 1.7 million customers across the United States, and the company has paid out $2 billion in home warranty claims since 2013. The company offers customizable plans to meet most consumers’ needs and budgets.

• High coverage limits: AHS covers up to $3000 in repair or replacement costs for many covered appliances and the company will spend up to $250 to obtain needed permits or to correct code violations.

• Choice of plans: Customers can choose to cover just their systems or appliances or save money with a combination policy; completely customized warranty programs are also available.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week; service requests are typically filled within 48 hours.

• Service fees: Consumers choose between policies with a $75, $100 or $125 service fee. Warranties with lower service fees will have higher premiums, so customers can select the plan that works best for their budget.

• Service providers: AHS works with over 14,000 local contractors to make service repairs. The company monitors consumers’ reviews of contractors to ensure AHS warranty holders only work with qualified service providers.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Home Shield Company Information