toll free

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hi Mr. Weg,

I appreciate your positive feedback and I am glad we were able to fix your hot water flow in the shower.

Original review: June 10, 2017

There was a lack of flow of hot water in the shower, so we placed the call with American Home Shield. They quickly scheduled the service and the people who came and did the job were very nice and professional. Now, it works like it should and we have a good flow of hot water. I was very pleased with them and I have recommended them to a friend.

American Home Shield

Hi, Robert. Thank you for your positive feedback. Glad to know you have so much confidence in our contractor that you paid them to do work that was not involved in your work order. Have a great day!

Original review: June 6, 2017

Submitting a claim to American Home Shield has been an easy process. Their technicians have been great and professional and have done real quality repair work. I had a leak that was covered in the insurance. To prevent that to happen again, I had the same guy go in and repair everything that wasn't damaged because he did such a good job. Everything's great with AHS and I will recommend them.

American Home Shield

Hello, Vicki. Thank you for your vote of confidence in our warranty. I do hope that we are apart of your family for many years to come.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I purchased coverage through American Home Shield a few years back before our family moved into our house in Wash state. We had moved to another state and we wanted them covered while in the house. The a/c had quit working, which caused much anxiety, so I contacted AHS and it was taken care of. The parts that needed to be replaced were covered, and what a blessing that was. For a new a/c compressor and freon, we were happy to pay for the freon that wasn't covered under our warranty. I would seriously suggest that if you own a home, you need American Home Shield on our side!

On 6/5/2017 I made an order request for 3 fans to be repaired at my home and described the problems with each fan specifically mentioning them to be in different rooms. The customer service lady made an error and did not write the 3 fans on the work order as I had specifically requested. I found this out later, when the electrician vendor came and checked out only 1 fan and said the work order was only for that one fan. He said it was wear and tear and could not repair or replace it and left immediately. I had already made the $75 payment when I had called the customer service line to place the order so basically I got absolutely nothing done. I called AHS again and told them about this error so they said they will have to access that particular telephone conversation to rectify this situation.

When I didn't hear back from them for a week, I called back for an update and the lady puts me on hold to speak to her supervisor because she was clearly clueless and tells me that they have 1 month to go back and review that phone call. So, for no fault of mine, in spite of paying my dues on time and promptly, I have to wait without my fans working properly with such poor customer service. One day of mine was wasted where I tried to arrange my work schedule to get this done and it wasn't done and who knows how long they will take.

Now this isn't the first time AHS has messed up, so even before I placed this order on 6/5/2017, I had already asked to not renew my contract which was expiring on 7/2/2017. I asked the lady, that since my contract is expiring 7/2 and technically they have till 7/5 to review the telephone conversation, will they be honoring the request to get my fans repaired? Then she put me on hold again in spite of me asking to speak to her manager/boss and then tells me "No, since your contract will have expired, we won't be able to help". Such poor shady service is simply disgusting. I am glad to be taking my business elsewhere. I will be leaving this review on their website as well.

American Home Shield

Hi Kyle. I hate to hear that you have not had a good experience with AHS. A social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible in a effort to resolve your issue.

Original review: June 19, 2017

Consumer service is basically unreachable. Had requested plumbing service online, but was never contacted to schedule an appointment, thus resulted in my various attempts to contact the AHS, but the customer service line will put you on hold for longer than 20 minutes. Consumer service representative are also rude and condescending. I had to call them 4 times to successfully set up an appointment. Last and most importantly, I was charged twice for the service for that they had made a mistake in handling the transaction. Very unhappy about the company.

American Home Shield's website is well-managed, and I really like it. Submitting a claim online was very easy and quick. I'm an I.T. and I really like simple as a consumer. I went on their website, logged in, hit the button that says "File a claim", selected what needed to be fixed and it was done. I received a confirmation email and within 24 hours, I had an appointment set up, which was very good for me. The experience was very low-stress, which was exactly what I needed.

I've submitted several claims in the past months as my microwave, garage door, oven and even my refrigerator went out. All were very good and easy experiences. The techs that came for the oven and the microwave were very nice. They did what they had to do, explained what they were doing and what needed to be done, and when I had to have accommodations with my cabinetry before they could install the oven, they were very good about getting back to install it.

The guy that came to look at the microwave and oven initially said that they both needed to be replaced, and on the next day, I got a call from AHS to buy my appliances. We went online, looked at stuff and I picked my appliances. It blew me away how quickly it happened. And then they said it would take 7 to 10 days to get the microwave and the oven, but it was less than five days. I ordered them Thursday and they were here Tuesday. The guys that brought them installed them also, and did a really awesome job. They were very professional and efficient. They didn't make a mess in my house and leave me to clean it up. I was very happy with all the services. Usually filing a claim is like a nightmare, but with American Home Shield, it was so easy and everybody was so accommodating and helpful.

I also had a very good experience with the garage guy because what was wrong with my garage door was not covered by my contract, and he went out of his way to make sure I understood why it wasn't covered. He explained what was specifically wrong with my garage door opener that was not covered, and that meant the world to me. It's what keeps me with American Home Shield. Now my garage door is working excellent.

I recently filed a claim with American Home Shield for my refrigerator, and it was the second claim I had filed for that because whatever they did the first time didn't fix it. The guy from GE was very nice and professional. He was in and out in less than 45 minutes and fixed the problem. He also explained to me why it didn't work and what he did to make it work this time, and it does seem to be working, but I'm going to give it another day before I load it with groceries. The only suggestion I would have is to get someone here quicker, especially if it's a refrigerator or heater in the winter time, and air-conditioning in the summertime. But other than them having to come back for my refrigerator, I've been very satisfied overall.

American Home Shield just sent us a renewal and they jacked up the rates. But the claims process is easy. You go online, pick the items that you want to be repaired, submit a request and you get a ticket number right away. So, it’s been very convenient and the response was quick. From the moment we submitted the request through the system online, we got calls from different vendors to schedule a time for the repair. The contractors came and left on time and explained what they were going to do. We had a few claims recently about appliances issues. They got the microwave done quickly on the same visit but in the case of the fridge, we had them come three times for the same thing. AHS didn’t charge me but they sent a different crew the second time. They want us to charge again, but I said we had an older claim that was not completely resolved. So, they sent the same guys again.

American Home Shield

Hi Valerie. I can certainly feel your frustration, especially in the Texas heat. A social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible in a effort to resolve you issue. Thanks.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I put in for service in my a.c. and was told I would hear from someone within 24 business hours and never heard from anyone. I called and waited on hold for 25 min for the woman to help me. She left the guy a message and to call back tomorrow at noon if I hadn't heard anything. Well I called back on hold for 45min and was told the same thing and that they would call me back.

4.5hrs later I called them back on hold for 35 min and was told they couldn't find anyone and that I could hire someone myself!? If I had the money to fix it myself why do I have your warranty!? Completely unacceptable in 108 degree weather!! But you don't care you're sitting in a.c.. Then I'm told they would put in a request for me to speak to a manager but that would take a few days. Best tip... save your money and do it yourself since that's what they'll make you do anyway. Absolutely horrible company and the fact that they replay the message that they take the worry out of things is a total lie.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

American Home Shield

Hi Karen. I see there is a diagnosis in the system finally. I apologize for the delay. A social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible in an effort to resolve your issue.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Called for A/C service, technician came out and told me I needed a new outside unit. Supposed to submit diagnosis to AHS that afternoon. Two days and several phone calls later, I'm still waiting to hear from AHS how much I'm going to have to pay to get the unit replaced or repaired. When you call AHS, be prepared for a long wait on the phone. I'm a senior citizen with a heart condition waiting in 96 degree heat in Texas, and they're not the least bit concerned.

American Home Shield

Mr. W. Thanks for your feedback. In an effort to resolve your A/C issue, a social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible. Thanks.

Original review: June 16, 2017

After placing a service request with American Home Shield regarding my A/C, they sent a Guaranteed Services LLC to my home to assess the repairs on June 7. The service associate was professional and very informative. After assessing that the compressor needed to be replaced, he said that it's a sign that the evaporator coil needs to be repaired. He said that he could order the compressor and fix it, but the evaporator coil leak would cause further issues. He also said that AHS has a policy that does not allow him to go under the house to document that repair. I would have make another service request to get that assessed and fixed. Both repairs would cost me $900 each to refill the coolant. Furthermore, my unit has parts and coolant that will be obsolete in a couple months. He said the best move would be to replace the unit, but AHS would probably not do it.

June 16: I just got off the phone with an overworked, underpaid, and subsequently, inappropriate customer service representative about the progress of my repairs/assessment. She tried calling the contractor about the service. They didn't answer, of course. The only option she said that I had was to wait for them to call her back. I asked if I could be sent any documentation on what contractors are/are not allowed to perform on customers' homes. She said that there is no documentation available other than my contract. I asked for my call to be elevated to a supervisor and she agreed to leave them a message after refusing several times.

I have called the contractor today and they said that the service request mentioned all of the issues and they don't know why they would have gotten back to me yet. She sent the work description to them a second time. I'm on the phone now for the fourth time today waiting to get something done. My house is 93 degrees today.

American Home Shield

Hello, Kimberly. I am so sorry to hear that you had such a horrid time trying to get services rendered for your home. That is definitely not how our policy works. A Social Media Specialist will be in contact with you to discuss these issues.

Original review: June 16, 2017

Signed up with AHS in April. Waited the 30-day required period before requesting a service. Then, requested two services: one for electric, one for A/C.

A/C guy showed up, said he would have to order parts, and never came back. We tried to call multiple times, and he always replied, "I'll have to get back to the office to see the report." Finally called AHS, and they contacted him and he said the same thing - AHS said they had to wait 24 hours for him to get back to them and they would get back to us. We waited. No response from either. Called AHS again - got the same run-around, only this time, the guy hung up on them.

By this time, we were still without A/C, it had been a month from the original service date, and it was getting to above 105 heat index. AHS refused to reassign it or to mark it as "emergency" - They said they'd have to email him and wait 24 hours for him to get back with him (even though by this time, it was clear he would not). On the second request, the repairman called me while I was at work, and I called after work (at 3:30 pm) asking him to call during my lunch or after my work day. He called the next day while I was at work - then I never heard from him again. Went through the same run-around with AHS about this guy as with the A/C guy.

My husband called to cancel the contract, now less than 2 months into it. They charged us almost HALF of the original full amount in order to cancel - in addition to the $75 they took from us for the first A/C guy to show up and do nothing. It looks like they are still charging my credit card - DO NOT GIVE this company your credit card number!

American Home Shield

Hi, Bruce. I understand your concern about our cancellation policy. A Social Media Specialist will be in contact with you to discuss your concerns.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I signed up for a few months and decided to cancel. Here is what I hate about this company. You can sign up on-line but you can't cancel on-line. You have to call and answer their questions about WHY you are cancelling... and then they charge you a $37 fee to cancel. They said it's in the contract but they bury it because they don't have the balls to make that clear upfront... DO NOT USE THEM. I NEVER FILED A CLAIM BUT THE FACT THAT THEY CHARGE YOU TO CANCEL IS JUST **. I will never use them again.

I had a problem with the air conditioning and it was taken care of in a timely manner. Submitting the claim to American Home Shield was easy but there was a wait time. But once I got an operator, they were clear, nice and immediately sprang into action. You get an immediate email on what company will have to come to do the repair. They have to respond in 24 to 48 hours. I've used AHS for a few years and it's very good. They're polite and knowledgeable. If you're not in the right department, they get you to the right one and they're clear about the information in a very nice way. I'm also very pleased generally with their contractors. I've had a very good experience.

American Home Shield

Hello, Saliha. I am so sorry that the repairs have taken such a long time to complete. We will definitely look further into this issue and a Social Media Specialist will be contacting you soon to discuss and assist with a resolution.

Original review: June 15, 2017

If I could give negative 5 stars, I would. I have been having persistent problems with my dishwasher. After multiple techs came out to look at it, replaced different parts, and well over 5 service calls, my dishwasher is still broken. This has been going on for 6 months and yet they still refuse to replace the machine that clearly cannot be fixed. It takes an hour to get online with a real person at AHS and they never do what they say they will. Usually, the answer is I can't do anything until the tech gets back to me. Expect a lot of problems with no resolution. Separately, they sent out a tech to fix my fridge who said he needed to order a part. After hearing nothing back, we called AHS who told us to wait longer.

We did and called back again only to learn they couldn't find that company anymore, so they had to have another company come out. When another tech finally came (to look at the fridge and a couple of other things), AHS somehow managed to mess up the order and send 2 different techs with nearly the same work order. That set up so much confusion, the backlash of which I am still dealing with today. After a long haul and multiple trips, my fridge finally got fixed. But, believe it or not, there is still more. I have a faulty washing machine that after weeks is still broken and I can't get any resolution on. This warranty has been a waste of my money, time and sanity.

Hi Mr. Herring,
I do understand that you recently canceled your contract and replaced your AC unit. I will be contacting soon to follow up with you.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I've had AHS for a few years on both my houses. Almost every claim I've had, some if not all of the cost wasn't covered. They put so much language in their contracts to weasel out of paying. It's not worth the money you pay. I had a AC unit go out, and had to pay $6000 because the current unit couldn't be replaced, it had to be upgraded. Added an ice maker to my policy and when it broke had a service call (informed the service company the type and style of the ice maker before they came) only to have the repair denied because my ice maker addition on my policy only applied to refrigerator ice makers not free standing ice makers. Then trying to cancel they have a meaningless, punitive administration fee to cancel. Totally a sham of a company that will take your money and not cover your items. Good riddance AHS.

Hi Mr. Dodson,

I do understand your frustration with the repeated service calls on your AC unit. I will be contacting you to help get the issues resolved.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I have been with AHS for 4 years & I am beyond disappointed and furious with how AHS has been sending incompetent companies that do not do their job properly and leave me with every 3 or so months of repair costs on my AC unit. In the past 10 months, my AC unit has gone out 4 TIMES. This is in the past 10 months. Let's go over the past 4 years that I have had issues with my Central Air System and AHS refuses to just replace it as I have been a loyal customer and definitely paid for one with the all the monthly costs of having AHS and how many times companies had to come out and do repairs.

6/13/13 - Leak in AC system - Out of Freon - Company Changing Winds and Air. 6/21/14- Leak in AC system - Out of Freon - Company Changing Winds and Air. 7/28/15- Replaced blower motor, rinsed outdoor coil - Freon level good - Company-Strickland's Heating and Air. 4/20/16 - Found low on Freon. Added Sealer. Found leak on suction service valve. Added leak lock. Company - Strickland's Heating and Air. 5/28/16 - Found Compressor Locked up. Ordered and installed same day. Company - Strickland's Heating and Air. 1/7/17- Heating went out - Company Changing Winds and Air. 3/1/17 - Replaced Coil and Leak in Valves - Out of Freon - Company Changing Winds and Air. 6/12/17 - Completely out of freon again due to a big leak in the valves that Changing Winds and Air overlooked and was too lazy to fix!!!

There is absolutely NO way that in 3 months I am out of 8lbs of Freon from a new small leak. The new company that is assigned to my work order, Ohohna even stated that the prior leak on 3/1/17 was not taken care of and it looks like work of someone who is lazy and incompetent. Those were words of the new technician that came out. I called on 6/13/17 and a representative from AHS said that it doesn't matter if you put Freon in today and it leaks tomorrow, it will still be my responsibility because it's in my contract? Are you kidding me? If the company that AHS sends out to fix issues and inspect and diagnose your Unit, there shouldn't be any further issues if the job is done RIGHT! It should be either AHS responsibility or the company that came out and did not do their job properly.

In 3 months, I am completely out of Freon again due to OVERLOOKED valves that were left leaking and not sealed. Changing Winds and Air should be responsible for this or AHS should stand behind their customer. This wouldn't have happened if AHS wasn't sending incompetent companies that DO NOT do their job like they should. AHS is leaving customers spending outrageous freon fees because they send companies out that can't properly fix leaks. I feel scammed and taken advantage of.

When I called on 6/13/17 I asked to speak to a supervisor, the representative told me that the lines weren't open to speak to one at that time and one will call me back. It's now Thursday and no one has called me back. What kind of customer service is that? I have been a LOYAL customer for 5 years and from all the expenses I paid I might as well have purchased a new Central Air System. I am out of thousands of dollars because AHS can't stand behind companies that do a crappy job.

If AHS does not cover the Freon Charges that Changing Winds and Air neglected to fix on 3/1/17, OR replaces my AC unit due to reoccurring problems. I will be finding a new reputable Home Warranty Company that actually stands behind their customers and does not let a "contract" dictate their customer service and have values and morals. I don't want to hear that crap about "It's in your contract and we can't do anything." Yes you can. It's called standing behind your customers and acknowledging that a company that you send out to do repairs are not doing their job properly and neglecting repairs. So please AHS if you really value your customers and claim to be the reputable company, please take this review into consideration as I am tired of all these expenses. No one should be having these many issues with their Central Air System.

My first claim with American Home Shield was for the dryer and the most recent claim was for my water tank leaking. It didn't work anymore and we had to call on Sunday. Both of the experiences have been really good. The contractor called me back and they set the appointment. By the time I get there and I see the technician, they fixed everything. So far, those two things have been working pretty good and I love having the insurance because we only have the deductible and copay. I'm so glad we have you guys.

I also love their application when they tell me if my contractor or technician is on the way and I can see exactly how far they are. For the tank, they told me 9:30 but at 8:30, they told me that he was already on his way. I am glad that they send a message because I was about to leave really quick and then come back. Also, the service is nice because they talk to you and they explain what is the problem. I let the guy work because I hate being behind the people, but I did look a little bit. They have the knowledge and they helped us a lot. So, everything is done in a couple of hours and it was pretty fast. Now we have a brand new water tank.

Hi Mrs. Johnson,

I do understand that you have canceled your contract but I would like to speak with you and follow up about the repairs that need to be done.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I have American Home Shield insurance. I am on a fixed income and having a hard time. I have spent $75.00 so many time to no avail. I now have a broken stove, microwave, dishwasher, air conditioner and garage door! None of them they want to replace. This is insane. Why do I have "INSURANCE"!?

Hi Mr. Daines,

I would be glad to speak with you in regards to your service request that was recently placed on your water heater.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Requesting service: After waiting just more than 30 minutes I finally got a real person and an "Oh we are sorry for the wait" but not much conviction. On a whim while waiting, I tried the sales line which answered on the second ring, of course. They wouldn't help me. Guess we know what AHS is concerned about.

Hi Gale,

I am pleased to hear that we were able to get your pool back running properly!

Original review: June 15, 2017

I went out to our swimming pool one day and the pump wouldn't work. I didn't know what happened to it so I submitted a claim to American Home Shield. The representative was very pleasant when I called. He asked a few questions and was so sorry that I was having a problem but they'd take care of it. They told me they would notify someone and have him out here as quick as they could. The contractor called me back the same afternoon and when he came over and looked at the pump, he said it's old. He had to order the pump and it took five days to get it, then he came back and put it in. I happened to be here the day he came out and I talked to him. He had already put on the pump and he made sure before he left that the pump was running good and water was flowing back into the pool. He was very courteous. I've never had a minute of trouble with the pump since the repair. Overall AHS was very prompt and I would recommend them to anybody.

Our most recent claim with American Home Shield was the refrigerator. The claims rep was very helpful and understanding. She seemed very concerned about our problem and wanted to get it fixed. Then the technician came out and diagnosed the problem. He had been here before on another issue and he's a good guy. He was very friendly, helpful and wanted to take care of us and made sure that we were happy. He let us know what part was needed and it was ordered. When it got here, they came out and fixed it. There was a little dirt and we cleaned it up and made the refrigerator look better. Since the repair, things are wonderful. We have enough room for all our food.

American Home Shield

Hi Donald. I see that you have spoken with the cancellation department about canceling your contract. I apologize that the pool option was not added to your policy. A social media specialist will follow up with you shortly. Thanks.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I purchased a home with a 1-year prepaid ($620.00) home warranty included in August 2014 and with our pool covered. In August 2015, AHS contacted me and I renewed for a year including the pool at a cost of $675. In August 2016, AHS contacted me for renewal and I indicated the cost was too high. I negotiated the same cost and coverage as in 2014 ($620.00). I never saw a copy of the contract, but I paid monthly. Over a week ago I contacted AHS for service on my pool heater and was told the swimming pool was no longer covered. There was no discussion of dropping any coverage during the sales, but they dropped it from the contract. I asked AHS to pull the call with sales for proof. Was told that would take three weeks.

American Home Shield

Hi, Lisa. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your replacement appliance. A Social Media Specialist will be in contact with you to discuss the issues that you are having.

Original review: June 14, 2017

Our custom kitchen aid double oven needs to be replaced. It is a 24 x 51 inch double oven. They want us to take a GE double oven that is 24 x 49, which leaves a 2 inch gap in our cabinetry that they are not responsible for fixing. Also, they only allow us to take it in the color of "Black". They are giving us "ONE" option to have for the replacement, when there are others in same price range that fits our dimensions exactly. We don't want black because it doesn't match the other appliances in our home. We were given the option to pay $246 additional dollars to get it in stainless steel or $1,000 to get another selection that would fit property in the space.

Getting a new appliance should be exciting and pleasurable... but when you have no say so in picking it out... that's terrible. They will give us $760 to use to buy whatever we want... haha! Only ovens we find for that price are "refurbished" ovens. All the 24 inch double ovens in our area, including the GE, they are forcing us to take, cost between $1500-$1800 dollars... much more than the $760 they are offering us to find a replacement oven. We are being blackmailed into taking something of lesser value than what we currently have and not at all what we want. Can't even take the money you are giving us to pay for a new one of our choice without adding over $1000 dollars of our own money. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. Home Warranty Buyers beware!

American Home Shield

Hello, Katherine. I agree, being without a clothes washer for that amount of time is not helpful for you or your household. A Social Media Specialist will be in contact with you to assist you with a resolution.

Original review: June 14, 2017

We reported our washing machine wasn't working on 4/14 and 9 weeks later we still do not have an answer from them on what to do to address the issue. Every time I call them I am on hold for 20-30 minutes. I have to initiate follow-up or I don't hear anything. Incredibly frustrating. I would not recommend them to anyone!

American Home Shield

Hi, Patrick. Plumbing stoppages are the worst! I am sorry that you had an issue in getting that stoppage cleared. A Social Media Specialist will be in contact with you to discuss your work order.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I had a simple clog in my kitchen sink. I requested a plumber to come and repair it on Thursday, June 8th. They sent a plumber from Everest plumbing who was completely incompetent. Everest was unable to come out until the following Monday, leaving me without use of my kitchen for the entire weekend. When he finally was able to come out, he spent an hour attempting the repair with a plumbing snake from the kitchen and promptly gave up when my wife suggested it was possible there was paper in the drain. He reported the incident and said we were not covered.

I received a phone call from the Authorizations department while I was at work and was told I was not covered because the technician had found shelving liner in the drain. I asked if there was anything else I could do and I was told they would not cover it and I had to handle it myself. When talking with my wife later, I learned that the technician had not actually removed anything from the drain but instead was simply using what she had said as an excuse to give up. The technician never even attempted anything from the crawl space or the outside access to the pipe, but he insisted the line would need to be hydro jetted...

My wife contacted a local experienced plumber on Wednesday June 14th and he arrived within an hour. He arrived at 1:30 and had cleared the clog, cleaned up after himself and left by 3:45. He was able to clear the entire clog using a snake from my crawl space. The whole problem was you couldn't snake it from the kitchen because of the T junction preventing the snake from going where it needed to go. The plumber confirmed that it was only a build up of grease, which should be expected when a house has been vacant for several years. His total bill was around $250.

I contacted AHS to be reimbursed for the repair, because we should have been covered considering there were no foreign objects. I spoke to Theresa in Customer Service. She quickly denied any responsibility and said I would need to talk to Authorizations. She placed me on a silent hold for a solid 10 minutes before finally transferring me over, which took another couple of minutes to connect. The operator in Authorizations was equally bull-headed. She states over and over again that if I would have "demanded" a second opinion, I was entitled to one, but since I did not emphatically demand that I needed a second opinion to the original Authorization operator their hands were clean of any wrongdoing.

They were completely unwilling to pay for the plumbing work or make any kind of restitutions. When I asked to speak to their supervisor, she said she could fill out a form that would prompt her supervisor to call me within 48 hours. I told her I would like to wait on hold so I could get some sort of confirmation that the form had been filled out. She said that would be fine. After a 10-15 minute silent hold she came back and said the form had been filled out, but she couldn't provide any confirmation. She also would not provide me with an employee id. I do not have high hopes that I will receive a call from her supervisor.

A customer should not have to know that we have to "demand" a second opinion, we should not have to use specific key words to get the operators to perform tricks and serve us properly. I worked in a customer service role for 5 years and cannot imagine treating a customer this way - hiding policies and costing them money. I fully intend to cancel my warranty (granted they will reimburse me, obviously) and switch to a home warranty company that will actually take care of their customers.

American Home Shield

Hi Ms. Brown. You have been through so much as a customer. In an effort to resolve your issue, a social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I have had AHS for 10 years and being in the insurance business I have referred many customers to them as in the past they have always fixed what was needed. However that being said I have had to call them out on my AC many times as the system will not cool and every time they send a rep. out they are hard to understand as they don't speak very good English, they spend about 15 min. tell me we have a leak and I have to buy freon as the company only pays $10.00. (In California the cost is now $80.00 a lb.) They have never fixed the leak and it seems to work for 1-2 year and then I have the same issue and I have to call.

Last year I called on a Friday as my AC was freezing up and they could not get out to look at it till Tues. Where I live it gets over 100 so I cancelled the call and somebody else came out by the next morning and fixed it and never mentioned that I have a rusted out heat pump. Now it's that time again, I called them and again their rep. spent 15 min. said we were leaking freon and the system needs replaced. He will turn it in and they should cover it, but never mentioned water damage. I got a call from AHS a couple hours later stating they were denying the claim due to contractor said heat pump rusted out due to water damage from sprinkler. I told the company that I do not have a sprinkler in that area and why would he say that as he didn't even take the hood off the system to look at it and anyway the system is outside in the weather and you don't think rain gets in there. She said rain is not covered.

I got a second opinion and they came, said, "No replacement needed. It's just the tank which is leaking and it looks like it's wear and tear due to the weather elements and again AHS should take care of this." They denied the first claim as the other contractor just wanted to replace it. 2 days later I just got a call that they are denying due to water damage. I have been paying for 10 years so that if my air ever went out I would have coverage. What a waste of money. I will be contacting all my referrals to let them know how this company works. I also had to pay $100.00 per contractor and still nothing was done.

American Home Shield

Hi Tamara. I apologize for the delay and ongoing issues you are having with your a/c system. In an effort to resolve your issue, a social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I reported that I was having issues with my AC unit back in April 2017. They sent Meyers Heating and Air out 3 times and they misdiagnosed the issue but still required me to pay $75.00 but never fixed the issue. I continued to call in over and over again and got the run around. They finally sent out someone from Air repair and they never called the service request in to American Home Shield so they reassigned the request to Affordable Heating and Air who said that it was a neglect issue on our part and lied like we didn't even have a filter in the system.

After multiple phone calls of being on hold, they finally told us that it is not covered because it is our fault that the system is broken. My family and I have been so hot for the last few months only to be told that we would have to pay for it ourselves due to neglect. We are being retaliated against because we continued to call in. I have been with this company for over 10 years and this is really sad that this is what we are having to deal with.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: June 22, 2017

After waiting 4 days, a work order was finally released for the company of our choosing. The company came out and decided that we needed a whole new ac system. To my surprise, American Home Shield covered it! The freon and modifications needed were not covered, but we ended up paying far, far less than what we would have had we had to pay out of pocket. The air conditioner was installed today, a day ahead of schedule. I'm updating my rating of American Home Shield from a 1 to a 4. This whole ordeal started out as a nightmare but it ended as I hoped. Also, American Home Shield did reach out to me after my initial review.

American Home Shield

Hi Ms. Ray. You have been through so much with trying to get the a/c properly repaired. In an attempt to resolve your issue, a social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I'm very disappointed with American Home Shield. Our air conditioner went out. We called AHS and they told us the name of the company they would send. After looking up the company and seeing that they only have 4 reviews online and 3 of them are absolutely horrible, I decided to not use them. I called AHS back and canceled the work order. My husband called back to request a different company. The rude lady he spoke with doesn't seem to care about our situation. She said that company was the only one they used. He asked to speak with a manager. He gets ahold of a so-called manager and she says there are two other companies they could use. Both have great ratings so we picked one. The manager said she would personally send us an email with an update on the work order.

Next day, we called the chosen company and they haven't received the work order. We also never got an email. So my husband has called twice since then. It's been a couple of days now. No one has returned his call. What a joke! I'd like to make a prediction. What will happen next is that someone will finally come out to fix or replace our AC unit but it somehow won't be covered thanks to loopholes, special wording or lies.

American Home Shield

Hi Matt. The freon cost can definitely be extreme on occasion which could cause quite a bit of frustration. A social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible in an effort to resolve your issue.

Original review: June 14, 2017

6 months after moving into our home, our AC went out. The tech from the local company that our compressor needed to be replaced, and would be completely covered under our warranty. Two days passed with no response from either company so we called to ask what was going on. They told us that we would need to agree to pay $700 for freon or they would not pay for any portion of the repair. I called two more companies to inquire about the price of freon and they said we were being severely overcharged.

American Home Shield refused to use any other company for the repair and refused to issue a check. They said if we do not pay they will not cover any portion of the repair. We have been living in a house that is between 90-100 degrees inside for 3 days since the claim was filed. We have now had to purchase two AC units because my wife has asthma, and are still being told to pay $700 for the repair. Isn't the purpose of a warranty to avoid paying for unexpected repairs?

American Home Shield

Wow Mr. Davis. I can certainly understand how the situation with your refrigerator can be frustrating. In an effort to resolve your issue, I will have a social media specialist follow up with you as soon as possible.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I am highly disappointed in the service received from AHS. I have had AHS for over 3 years and AHS seems to not know the skill set of the techs they are sending out. AHS also doesn't communicate well with the techs and vice versa. Customer service (by phone) is hit or miss when it comes to talking to someone capable. My current issue involves my refrigerator. Over the last year they have sent 6 appliance companies to fix/repair the refrigerator. The first (Appliance Medic) came out and said, "Yep, the compressor is bad" and followed up with,"but I don't do compressors." I paid 100 dollars for the Service Fee. The second (Appliance Doctor) came out said,"Yep it's the compressor" and took a week and half to get fixed. I paid 100 Service Fee. The refrigerator failed again. Yep you guessed it... the compressor.

The third (Jay's Appliance), the fourth (The Fridge Guy), the fifth (A&E Services) guy came out with a range of replacement parts from refrigerate boosts to replacement of small parts. Then, where I am now, the sixth (Suffolk Appliance and Parts) comes out and says there is a leak in the compressor and his solution is to fill it with more refrigerant. So, paid service fees for the first 4 visits and made an agreement with AHS that I would pay for the service fees after the refrigerator was fixed. The fifth visit I did not pay the fee because I felt the Thermostat replacement (took 4 days) would not be the end to this. And I was right. It isn't working.

I called up AHS tonight and was on hold for 25 min. The representative (Kieshania EMPL#**) said she could not send a technician out until I pay for the fifth service fee and the sixth service fee. The representative refused to forward the call to a supervisor. I was in disbelief that there wasn't anyone else I could talk to. She did offer to take my number a have the supervisor call me back. That was disturbing to hear because I did that on a previous service where it took 2 weeks for the supervisor to get back with me. Like I said, it's more miss than hit when dealing with AHS. Oh, they also don't keep accurate records online. It only shows 2 tech visits for the refrigerator. I was on the phone with the representative this evening and confirmed the other 4 tech visits.

The oven inside my stove wasn't working and the contractor that American Home Shield sent to fix it was perfect and very knowledgeable. He came out and fortunately, he was able to fix it. However, I tried to pay him $100 that day and he said he didn't have a bill for us. I wasn't able to pay it and I still had a voided check which I wrote to give to him next time. He was supposed to come back because he had to order parts. Then two weeks later, AHS sent me an email to say I was delinquent on that $100. That was foul to even receive an email like that. I even sat on hold for customer service for 30 minutes to an hour. Plus, AHS is very hesitant in paying for the repairs. Eight months ago, I had a claim for a pool pump that they didn't pay for. The company they sent out was less than spectacular too. But overall AHS is adequate for what I pay for.

I’ve been with American Home Shield for nine years. The representatives are nice. They were fine except most of the time since they work for Home Shield their best interest is with their company and that’s understandable. So they will try to find whatever they can, loopholes to not cover something. The contractors are not bad too.

We noticed in the beginning of April that our ice maker was not working. I submitted a claim online to American Home Shield and it worked well. Eventually, two different servicemen came. One came to diagnose the problem and order the parts. Then, a different person came back to do the repair. Both of them were very professional. Since the repair, the ice maker has been working well and I don't have to make ice manually. I'm very pleased with my experience with American Home Shield. Their service did what they claimed and there were no glitches.

American Home Shield Company Profile