toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

American Home Shield has dramatically improved their customer service. It is now possible to get someone on the phone and they work hard to help you work with the repair people. For a few years I was very disappointment but for the past year they have really worked hard to do better and I appreciate it.

I found the staff and their partner contractors at AHS to be very responsive. I've experienced good, reliable service in every instance. As a realtor AND a multiple homeowner, I recommend this company above all others for warranty service.

American Home Shield

Hello Kathy, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

Took a day off to meet with the plumber to fix the low pressure and no hot water in my kitchen sink. Plumber walks in - looks at the sink - immediately diagnosis it as my faucet, that is of course - not covered! He never even looked under the sink, was in my house 3 minutes, suggested I change the cartridge in the faucet, spent a few hours with my carpenter neighbor. This clearly was not the problem. Now I can't even talk to an agent, nor can I sign in on the computer, as the contract that I have had for only 20 years is not yet set up! Really? Good customer service? I'm wasting my time with you. Been on the phone waiting over 45 minutes now. I'm heading to the Better Business Bureau site now!

American Home Shield

Hello Kim, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

I contacted American Home Shield when my microwave stopped working. I was able to get an appointment pretty quickly. The repairman that came to my house was rude and wrote up something completely contrary to what he shared with us. He told me the part would need to be ordered and he would be in contact in a couple of days. A week went by and I called to follow up and was told AHS was not covering the replacement and I should call them for additional information. I called and was on hold for 78 minutes. When the customer service representative finally answered and I shared my story with her she looked up my account and informed me I was being charged a $60 no-show fee. The repairman had been there the day he was scheduled to and his notes reflected this.

She told me AHS wouldn't cover but I could request that another company come out and check the microwave. She transferred me to another department and I was on hold for an additional 46 minutes. The customer service representative initially attempted to schedule me with the same company until I pointed out that would be a waste of time. He then scheduled me with another company and gave me their contact information. I called them and they told me the first available appointment would be in 2 weeks. I called AHS back and I have been on hold for the past 72 minutes waiting to speak with someone. This experience has been anything but simple. I am really considering cancelling my contract and finding another company.

American Home Shield

Hello Timothy, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Warranty Program - After waiting 45 minutes on hold to cancel an appointment for a dishwasher appliance made online which turned out to be with Sears Appliance Repair (avoid at all costs), I called customer service and had to wait another 30 to schedule an appointment with the only appliance contractor in the area... You guessed it... SEARS. What is one to do when there is only one choice??? SEARS APPLIANCE REPAIR IS TERRIBLE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

American Home Shield

Hello Michael, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I've been waiting on a plumber for over a week, the service is horrible. My toilets are backed up, and when I call all you guys say is we have to contact the plumber, yet that's the problem. He doesn't return calls and he sets up times just to cancel. I'm very disappointed in American Shield having a plumber they use that is this awful. For over week cannot shower or use my restrooms and American Shield does nothing. Half time can't get no one on phone and when you do they say must verify. Waste of money, very disappointed with my experience.

American Home Shield

Hello Eileen, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Our 15 year old furnace stopped working and would only blow cold air - this was 28 days ago. We have been members for many years and most times we get reasonable service. This time it has been horrible. They sent out a contractor who was very nice, but didn't get to the root of the problem. It would work for 2 hours and shut down again - which we later learned was a safety precaution because it was overheating. We have had 5-6 visits from the contractor trying to repair, rather than replace the furnace.

Meanwhile, it has been below 30 degrees here and snowing and cold. It has been weeks! and Holidays. We have had to go buy space heaters, used up our resources to heat the main part of the house. Then there are the days we've taken days off from work to be here for all these visits. It's usually "Not the right part or not all the parts, or they don't make the same kind of parts anymore", etc. We are told they have their team of investigators "working" on this.

I am now on hold on the phone for 2 times of 45 minutes each today. The line just goes dead after a time. That's an hour and a half of phone wait time to see what their team of "investigators" are doing. Clearly our situation isn't of interest to AHS. Here we go into yet another cold weekend of no help, no heat and no support for our furnace which looks like it needs to be replaced. I hope we don't have the same response as other dissatisfied customers on this site of being offered a substandard, cheaper replacement furnace or small cash offer because our current model was a higher end furnace. We also had a washing machine replaced by AHS last year and the model offered was a lower grade model than the one we replaced. I'm hoping this isn't a pattern of behavior. I would like this resolved. The contractor seems ready to serve us, but the hold up is with AHS it seems.

American Home Shield

Hello Ben, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

We have had a very bad experience with American Home Shield. Our refrigerator went out and we called them out to repair it. The technician came out (1st Trip) and didn't have the correct part (A compressor Switch) and used an universal part. The refrigerator never worked and we called them back. They ordered the correct factory part, installed it and it failed again (2nd Trip). We called again and they came out (3rd trip) and said they would need to break the sealed coolant system and add more coolant. The tech came out (4th trip) and re-filled the system with coolant. The unit cooled about 6 hours (The tech thought there was a leak somewhere other than the compressor). We called again and the service company said they would order a new compressor... still waiting for that.

The issue is we don't have a refrigerator and probably won't get one. There is an inherent problem since we spend $50 a month plus the service call of the $100. It would probably be more cost effective to not have the warranty service and just pay for repairs yourself. You don't really save anything by going to this company. Buyer Beware.

American Home Shield is the best Home Warranty Company. They respond promptly to your needs and follow up with your repairs and if for any reason you are not satisfied with the diagnostic by the contractor assigned, they are always willing to work with you entirely to your satisfaction. I highly recommend this company to anybody in need of a Home Warranty Policy to protect your most valuable asset... your home.

American Home Shield

Hello Laurie, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

The first complaint is every single time we've called American Home Shield about our ongoing repair issues we have to wait on hold for between 30- 60 minutes. We work full time and this is a real issue, to have to call and be on hold for such a long time, every single time, no matter what time we call. If the first complaint isn't enough to warn people not to do business with this company the next example should -- We have been without a refrigerator since November 16th. Today is January 5th. When first calling American Home Shield about our refrigerator not working we were told it would be two weeks before a repair person could come out and even look at it (this is our only source of keeping our food cold).

Since we could not get AHS to schedule anything sooner we took the available appointment, and called the repair company direct to try and work out a date that was sooner than two weeks. We got the assigned company to come out sooner, but he did not have the 'switch' part needed and it had to be ordered. As a consolation the repairman put a used temporary part in, but it was for a different refrigerator and did not work. The ordered 'switch' took 2 weeks to get. That part was installed and the repairman left. Our refrigerator still did not cool. We had to call AHS back and schedule again.

During the next appointment we were told we needed coolant. That repair was made and the repairman left. Again our refrigerator did not cool. We had to call again and a repairman came out for the fourth time and told us we needed a compressor and an evaporator. Since the repairman had been out four times, attempted to repair three times, and needed to order yet another (expensive) part, we tried to asked if AHS could just replace the refrigerator or give us a cash-out option so we could buy another. After we requested this, we were told that we needed to wait for someone in the 'cash out department' to give us a call. That took another week. When they finally did call us we were told they would give us $25 toward a new refrigerator. We actually thought this was a mistake (had they left off one or two zeros??) In reality all they agreed to offer us was twenty-five dollars!!!

At the time of writing this review, AHS's repair person has order the compressor and also an evaporator. Both these parts were shipped incorrectly and were subsequently damaged. The parts are now on reorder. We had to go out and purchase a dorm room refrigerator (for $200) to keep some critical things cold, plus we paid $100 for the service fee, plus we pay $54 month for our plan or what works out to be $648 year for the plan. After pay so much for the plan and so much for the service call, we are going on our third month without a refrigerator; were offered only $25 toward a new refrigerator; and can't seem to get our current one repaired after four attempts. It would have been much cheaper to not have a warranty, called our own repair person, and just bought a nice refrigerator out right. I would strongly recommend not doing business with this company!!! Buying a home warranty from them is not worth it!!!

American Home Shield

Hello Krishna, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 5, 2017

My home washer broke in middle of Dec and technician appointment was made for next week. The technician came and did the inspection and found out the faulty part. The tech said it would 10 days and either we would repair with faulty part, if available, or new washer would be installed. Later we found out no part was available and hence replacement was ordered. We received an email informing installation service provider. Today was 10th day and tried to call the installation company. BRUCE LOGISTICS, installation company's phone rang but there was no one to answer. Every few minutes same options were repeated and after 30 mins phone got disconnected.

Washer is so essential for our day-to-day living and hence decided to call American Home customer service. The phone got connected to live person, Diane, and asked abut the status of our washer and any timeline for the service. Her responses were not very helpful and asked her to connect to her supervisor. She said her supervisor was not available and hence made a request to give me call back to explain about what to expect in case of any service call. She immediately informed me that her supervisor would not be calling me back.

I asked her to provide the name and she refused to provide the name of supervisor. It's American Home Policy not to disclose name of supervisor. The rep DO NOT HELP and DO NOT PROVIDE name of their superior. There is NO ONE at AMERICAN HOME who could answer customer questions/concerns to feel comfortable with appliance repair apart from paying premium every month. They just made it money making machine without any services.

American Home Shield

Hello Pramod, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I had a heating system issue at my home since Dec-4-2016. I first raised a service request with AHS on Dec-5-2016. Initially 'ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS HVAC, LLC' was assigned to the request. However, they were not able to service it. Although I had repeatedly mentioned that I needed an electrician to service it AHS then allocated 'FURNACE DOCTORS INC' to service the request, who don't service electrical wall heaters. After many calls to customer care, who couldn't understand the nature of request, 'PARAGON HTG & HOME COMFORT SOLUTIONS LLC' was assigned. They came home and said they were not electricians!

Finally after 8 days of staying in cold condition, 'WASHINGTON ELECTRICIAN SERVICE LLC' was allocated to service. The vendor was immediately paid the service fee of $75. However, AHS keeps sending mails that I haven't paid the service fee. Now, at this very moment, I am on hold for about 1hr with an AHS customer care rep. This is hardly customer service I expected from AHS. I have repeatedly asked the care rep to transfer to a supervisor as they are unable to sort out the issue.

American Home Shield

Hello Jack, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

In the spring of 2016 I placed a call for a repair on our furnace. When they came out they said they could fix it. However, after repeated trips they finally said they could not fix it and they would have to order a new furnace. In the meantime, it was already summer. I had to do without air conditioning the months of May, June and July of 2016. We weren't home much, due to a family emergency out of town, however, when we were home, we had to have several fans going in order to be able to stand the heat. At one time, the temperature reached 97 degrees in my living room. Thank goodness we had an attic fan for sleeping in the evening. When I finally got my air conditioner working again, they still had not completed the installation of my furnace. They said they would have to come back and do it later. I said fine. They came back. I believe it was sometime in September and completed it, however, they never turned it on to see if it worked.

The reason I know this is when the first cold front came through we tried the heater and did not have any heat. We phoned the tech and he walked us through the steps to turn the gas on to the furnace. When we did this we finally had heat. However, the Sunday before Thanksgiving 2016 we found water in our closet that housed the furnace. When we looked at it, we noticed that there was water dripping back on the carpet and was totally saturated. We phoned for a service call, not knowing what the problem was and was given the run around and was given a company's name that doesn't even do business with AHS and they said they never would again. I then placed another call back to AHS and they finally put the call to the same company that put in the furnace. They were very nice and came out and fixed the problem.

We were told we would not be charged for it because the pipe was improperly slanted and the water was running back and out of the pipe instead down the drain. Now we are receiving past due notices from AHS saying we owe for $75.00 for the service fee. I spoke to a Teneka on 12/22/16 at 8:13 a.m. CST and she assured me that this would be taken care of because she spoke to the company directly and they said no charge. It is now 1/4/17 and I have received another past due notice from AHS. I did a chat live with a rep and he has now told me it cannot be taken off due to it being past the 60 days of installation. However, that was the incorrect date of installation. I was also told that he would have Teneka look into it and see if it can be changed. I asked if I would receive a call to advise me if this was taken care of and I was told I would have to log in and check my account for updates.

My husband and I have been AHS customers for over 16 years and it is becoming apparent the customer really doesn't matter. As long as they get their money, that is all they worry about. My contract is coming due at the end of February and maybe we should look at a different company. It has been very stressful this past year dealing with AHS!!!

American Home Shield

Hello Morrie, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

After being covered for over 20 years when the AC/heater needed to be replaced, they refused to pay for installation, and will not answer their authorization number which I am on now for over 30 minutes. They will try to scare you and delay cashing out on the small priced item that they are willing to pay, and having contractors to call you over and over to replace and charge an item without a full explanation. Totally dissatisfied, and their advertisement here in Texas at the least is in violation TREC regulation, and Texas attorney general's office for deceptive trade practices act violations. Their reps are trained just to deny any legitimate claims which will cost them over $400.00. BUYER BEWARE.

American Home Shield

Hello Carl, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

Facts. Dallas County Texas- Coppell. I have used AHS for 9 years, with decent satisfaction and no problems at all until NOW! On DEC 18, 2016, my residential hot water heater went out. I could not restart it. I called AHS on DEC 19, they assigned the service call to Master Tech Service (Dallas). Master Tech Service came 54 hrs later (DEC 21). The tech relighted the water heater. Declared no further issue. I paid him the $75 service fee and he departed. 20 minutes after the Master Tech Service technician left, I re-checked the hot water heater and it was out again. I could not restart. I immediately called Master Tech Service back to inform that the heater IS NOT FIXED (I got their auto answer). I Left a detailed message to call me back and to come back immediately since the hot water heater was not fixed. They did not call or come back.

Dec 22nd, I reported to AHS that Master Tech Service did not repair the hot water heater the first time as required. Master Tech Service has never called me back. (This is where everything goes awry with American Home Shield.) I have now called American Home Shield 7 times over the past 16 days. American Home Shield reported to me that Master Tech Service told AHS that they fixed my hot water heater (even though they did not and are all parties are fully aware that they have not). 17 days since I made the first call, my hot water heater STILL REMAINS OUT OF SERVICE.

Fact. AHS hired a highly incompetent 3rd Party Service Provider (Master Tech Service ). On my last call to American Home Shield (JAN 5), AHS now tells me that I have two choices: have AHS get Master Tech Service back on schedule, turn the work order to another 3rd Party Service and start the whole damn process over again and pay another $75 service fee. (They never mentioned this in the previous calls). This week, I went online and found that Master Tech Service has a plethora of online service complaints in the DALLAS area. Numerous Complaints - Especially over the last 8 months. THUS, American Home Shield has continually employed a sorry slipshod contractor that has way more customer complaints than accolades. Why would AHS send me incompetent service in the first place!!!

My contract is with American Home Shield, and AHS is not fulfilling their contractual obligation at all! They are not getting Master Tech Service to deliver proper service at all. My complaint is that I have done nothing wrong and yet I am paying the price for American Home Shield's inept ability to get my hot water heater fixed for the past 3 weeks now. American Home Shield has lots of departments and processes (I literally have been on the phone with these guys for a cumulative TWO (2) hours over a simple water heater repair). AHS has made this way more complicated and stressful than necessary. THIS IS NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE. Customer service is Fixing my hot water heater as requested 3 weeks ago. In this case, they are totally inept.

One would think, that American Home Shield Management would want to know that they have a poorly performing / inept 3rd Party Contractor working on their behalf. But after numerous phone conversations with 3 different Customer Departments, I can clearly state that it is not a concern of theirs! Nor is getting my hot water heater fixed a concern of theirs! Every American Home Shield customer care person that I talked to is only interested in the canned processes and checking their little boxes and getting me passed around, which have clearly not worked at all in my case. I am a simple guy. I JUST WANT My HEATER REPAIRED as CONTRACTED.

American Home Shield

Hello Sanjay , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I canceled my account over 4 months ago and then I received a letter from a collections company. When I called American Home Shield, they confirmed that the account was canceled but couldn't tell me why it went to collections. They further couldn't do anything to reassure me that it wouldn't go further with the collections company. Now I have to make sure this doesn't show up on the credit report because they do not know how to properly cancel accounts!! I will never use them or recommend them to anyone.

American Home Shield

Hello Charles, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 4, 2017

I have had good support from AHS for years until I needed a Plumbing Contractor who performance was so poor I had to make the repair myself. I asked AHS to block that contractor from future assignments to my home. The next time I required a plumber AHS said I had no choice to accept this same contractor as they had ONLY one under contract for the Northern Maryland/Baltimore area. I asked to use the option for me to hire a contractor and get reimbursed as per the AHS contract but was denied since they offered the only contractor available which I had black listed. Consequently I had to replace AHS with another service plan.

American Home Shield

Hello Muriel, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

AHS, American Home Shield, is the worst company that I have ever had to deal with. As a new homeowner you always hope to deal with companies that bring you a peace of mind. AHS and their vendors are a bunch of crooks. The vendors have not shown up, then claim they did, and company policy allows them to get paid without them doing any work. When you ask the vendors to give you a specific time, they refuse. When you ask them to call you before arriving to your home, they refuse, knowing that the company's policy is on their side. They get paid regardless if they show up (by just claiming that showed up) or not. We were home waiting for this one vendor all day, and then they claimed that they showed up. Hard earned money going to waste, AHS, is the worst company to deal with. When you call customer service, they literally call you a liar, and automatically believe the vendors. The worst company ever!

American Home Shield

Hello Rene, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

I have been a customer for many years and am very surprised to see the company's high overall rating. My experience has been very mixed. I would say out of every 5 service calls I have typically had issues with 3. Every time I need to call I cross my fingers that nothing goes wrong. One issue is that when something does go wrong with a contractors service AHS is no help. Most recently I had an electrical issue. Approximately 31 days later the same issue reoccurred. I called AHS and was told labor was covered for only 30 days. Another time a plumber came out to repair a faucet leak. Afterwards I discovered the plumber did not protect the faucet and deep scratches were left from the wrench. The plumber returned and declared the scratches were normal and unavoidable. AHS totally washed their hands.

Another issue happened when I broke a glass over the garbage disposal. The plumber came out, removed the glass and got it working again. Sometime later the disposal failed and another plumber found the problem was a large piece of broken glass. When I complained to AHS this was evidence that the first plumber missed some of the glass they claimed the warranty period had lapsed. Generally, I find their contractors do a minimal assessment and sometimes do what appears to be patchwork that does not always completely resolve the main problem.

On a positive note recently the dishwasher would not drain. The technician found the problem was a small sticker (such as from a piece of fruit) appeared to be the problem. He seemed to feel as bad as I that I paid $75.00 to have such a minor problem resolved. He stated the motor seemed noisy and replaced it. This positive experience was definitely outside the norm of my usual experience with AHS. I keep threatening to go back to my old company, Old Republic, but they seem to now have an even worse rating! What's a consumer to do?!

American Home Shield

Hello Shireen, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

I pay my monthly warranty fee and then when something goes wrong I had to sit on hold for 25 minutes. I had to shut off water to the house and still 24 hours later they didn't have anyone who can fix it. I had to call back 3 times and sit on hold each time between 20-30 minutes. They finally said I could find my own plumber but before they could do the work they had to call in and get approval plus I had to write down over 10 companies that we could not use. All the plumbing companies I called wouldn't work with American Home Shield.

I called back sitting on hold AGAIN and the lady told me she did her job by trying to find me someone and now I need to do my job and make a contractor work with them. The point of having the warranty company is for them to help me. Now 36 hours later I still have no water to my house and they haven't found anyone to fix it. I asked to talk to a manager and they told me that they didn't have anyone working. This is the worst customer service I have ever encountered.

American Home Shield

Hello Zender, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

I called AHS in October 2015 with a drainage problem concerning my washing machine. The issue was temporarily resolved, it slowly got worse. I called again in October 2016 requesting another service call for the same problem but specified that I did not want the same company to come out. The same company came out again. I requested the main drain be snaked out to the street and the repairman told me his equipment was too large to go under my home to reach the main cleanout. The drainage issue was fixed again, so I thought... I still have the same issue. Yesterday I called and was told I needed to pay an additional service fee because it's been more than 60 days since my last service call. I'm about to call and find someone on my own to snake the main clean out. This is ridiculous.

American Home Shield

Hello Cornelia, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

Our dishwasher started leaking in April 2016. AHS was pretty good to respond and sent a technician out. Parts were replaced, but the unit never worked properly. Since April we have had a technician here at least once a month. Every time more parts have been exchanged. AHS refuses to replace the unit and the technician refuses to label the unit as "not repairable" ("I don't want to lose my job!"). AHS also refuses to hire a different company. I am waiting for 9 months now. If you want to speak to somebody in charge, there is no one. And finally the "options department": It takes about 6 hours in the waiting line before someone talks to you. This company is not standing by its own contract. Not worth the money!

American Home Shield

Hello Erik, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

Our experience with AHS has generally been ok but when there is an issue even after over a month of failures of contractors (Accurate Pool Service in Orlando) to meet any reasonable deadlines they tried to "cash me out." Despite nothing being fixed and twice being left with 75 teenage friends of our children all wanting to use the pool the contractor failed to show up to fix the heater at all not once but twice! In short it ruined parties Christmas as this was set up as a chance for long time childhood friends to get together. On top of that most of the parents were there to see me as I battle stage 4 cancer!

Upon my wife being at best upset and at 4 pm in the afternoon we texted the contractor who responded they are again behind and didn't know when they would be there. Needless to say we responded that was unacceptable and they needed to get someone there NOW. Upon calling AHS, Sarah the rep said there was nothing they could do, I asked if she could talk to them and I would tie them on the line. After getting an attitude she said that violated their policy. Then she wanted me to pay another 100 dollars for someone else to fix it. No one even apologized that the issue ruined not 1 but 2 family get togethers during the holiday. It gets worse.

I then am told demanding that they correct the issue immediately was threatening and that they won't send anyone out but will cash me out which means give me a few dollars not knowing if that is sufficient to fix the heater or not. AHS will not look at their employees and determine whether a real effort was made to correct the issue. After the parties decided we would take all out to dinner; I spoke with another rep who finally said she doesn't understand the decision to cash me out. They say they will call us back next week but I wonder if they will even apologize for the costs associated with setting up 2 events and one of their contractors not even bothering to communicate that they aren't showing up and if they do it would be past 5 pm.

In short AHS response is uncalled for. They don't support their customers and will even tell you a month to fix something is normal. I've had good experiences with them on my dishwasher but this incident with Accurate Pools in Orlando has been a nightmare. I hope to hear from someone that can communicate properly and answer questions versus making statements that are no help to the situation and simply avoids responsibility for ensuring their contractors function professionally. I hope they will listen to their customers as they are the ones paying them. We will see but clearly no one can accept a cash out when a customer has no idea what it will cost to fix the heater.

In short, I would not recommend AHS for anything other than very straightforward items and appliances. If this was an Air conditioner; it would had been a complete nightmare. You'll have no idea if the cash out will be sufficient to fix the issue; how could you unless you were a repair person. Isn't that why one buys a warranty for anyhow? You are truly on your own and if they don't side with their customers you don't have a chance to work through issues with their contractors that are simply unresponsive and you could be blind sided by your own insurance company despite the promises made by the subcontractors they retained.

American Home Shield

Hello Norman , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I have had a service contract with AHS for over 3 years. 2 weeks ago I called about a problem with my gas furnace. I woke that morning to a cold house. The system reset but would not stay on long enough to keep the house at the set temperature. I was sent a technician from a company located about 15 miles from me. The gentleman who came did not appear professional, did not speak English well, and did not seem to know what he was doing. He was on the phone to his company often asking questions. He replace one part, but that did not solve the issue. He then tried to replace a limit switch, but he did not have the part.

However after he replaced the old one, it seemed to work better. He said he would come the next day (Saturday) and that he would call or that I could call the company to get a time. He did not and the company did not answer. He came back 2 days later with a new switch which was the wrong size. He said that he would have to go back to the distributor and order the correct size. I did not hear from him so I called the company and the woman said the tech had told his boss that I wouldn't let him take the part away from the house to the distributor to get a new one, which is not true. So she had to schedule me an appointment when the tech could take the part to the distributor and get the proper one.

Well with Christmas and the rush, they could not send someone for a week. He came today with a part, which again turned out to be the wrong part. Again he was on the phone a lot to his company. He then replaced the old one and it worked for an hour and again it is intermittent. He said "next time" he may have to get an original Carrier part (huh??!!). I don't want to deal with these people any more, they are amateurs. I call AHS this afternoon. The woman told me since I did not call them back and the contractor did not call for authorization for parts, they knew nothing and basically was told that they could get them to come back, but since they do not have an emergency service (I told them that), they would have to come tomorrow - probably the same tech and they still would have to have the time for the tech to take the part and get a new one.

They knew the model and brand of the furnace. Why couldn't they look up the part number and order the proper one? Again amateurs. The woman at AHS said that we could try another contractor, but that it would cost another $100 deductible. No way. I have lost all confidence that these guys could ever fix anything in my house. For the $56/month of "peace of mind", it is anything but. I will call AHS tomorrow and I will cancel my contract and simply escrow that amount monthly to pay for repairs. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY OR THEIR SO CALLED WARRANTY. And oh by the way, I have to call someone local to fix the furnace correctly.

American Home Shield

Hello Kellie, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

Two ongoing issues never resolved. A/C and electric cook top. AHS would always send out tech who we would pay $75.00 to put a minimal fix to keep the unit working. We had several A/C and heating companies tell us the unit required replacement. They stated that AHS would only move out on replacing it IF and only IF a major component went down. It did not matter if the unit nickel and dimed you to death as they would not replace it. We asked AHS to buy out and they would not respond. We ended up replacing the air handler and A/C and heat pump at 100% our cost. So much for having a "warranty" since 2001.

Second item was our kitchen electric cook top (safety/life risk). New in November of 2010 however later developed electrical issues. AHS sent tech out to repair as the unit came on by itself. Several years later it was coming on by itself again. AHS sent tech out long after request and tech worked on it and stated issue was "fixed". To their credit we were not required to pay the 2nd fee for the tech visit. We just had a recent incident where the cook top had an electrical fire. We got lucky as we were home when it came on again on its own and the wiring was burning. We have not contacted AHS about this as I stated before, we dropped AHS and did not renew.

Our most recent claim with AHS was a combination for the dryer, freezer, and dishwasher. Submitting claims was a very easy process and I’ve had quite a few other things done in the past few months. The reps were able to absolutely answer the questions and resolve everything but I had some issues with 1 or 2 of the contractors. Although some of the techs have been wonderful, there were some who were unsettling and I was uncomfortable with. We're very limited on who we have to work with as a consumer based on the program and based on the findings of the second person who came, I had no choice but to use the first contractor, which I wasn’t happy with. But I would recommend American Home Shield.

American Home Shield

Hello Bobby , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

My refrigerator and freezer broke five days ago. I was assured that a repairman would "reach out to me", but five days later, no one has. And no one at American Home Shield has "reached out to me" either to offer their condolences for their utterly unacceptable service. This is starting to remind me of January 2015 when, thanks to American Home Shield, there was no heat in my home for a period of twelve days during a period when the temperature in my home was below freezing. It's terrible to pay the fee every year, and get in return such horrendous service from a national company.

Updated on 1/6/2017: I notified American Home Shield that my refrigerator had broken on 12/25/16. (It had stopped working the previous night.) I received a text that a service rep would "reach out to me" within 24 business hours. FOUR days later, after I threw away everything in my refrigerator and freezer, I finally managed to get a service man to come to my house. He ordered a new compressor. It's now been EIGHT days since the serviceman visited, and I have no compressor. I called yesterday and discovered the compressor hasn't even been SHIPPED, let alone delivered.

So I'm on my 12th day of having no refrigerator, with no end to this ordeal in sight. Absolutely pathetic service. A representative from American Home Shield called several days ago to check my satisfaction and left a phone number with a 10-digit extension, but whenever I call the number, I'm immediately cut-off. Worst company ever. (In January of 2015, American Home Shield left my family in a home with absolutely no heat for 10 consecutive days, with temperatures in the 20s, so I suppose this dismal service is what we're to expect when dealing with this particular company.) Potential customers, beware! This is a scam. You pay in advance for service, and you get nothing at all in return for your payment.

American Home Shield

Hello Stevan , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

This is my third time this year using my warranty on an AC, toilet, and now my dryer. All three times it has been a hassle with this company. With the AC unit, the company kept coming out on their own without calling. It took over 3 days to fix and we were in over 100 degree weather with 2 children. Finally we had to tell them we were in a serious situation for them to pay someone OT to come out and fix it. That OT came from another company because to this day the original company never called to set up an appointment.

I still have their 3 business cards they left on my front door. When our toilet broke, it took them over a week to ok the part, and then the guy left me with a broken toilet on my front yard to discard. And now with the dryer I am now dealing with the 3rd company because the 1st two can't fit me in 'till 10-11 days out from my original request date. Needless to say I will be searching out a new home warranty company once my one year is up.

The work was done in full at first visit. The one thing that would have been better if the contractor would have called to set up a service time quicker without me having to place follow up calls to the service center. It also would be great if there were contractors from the same city... not needing to come from out of town.

My most recent claim was a leak in our dishwasher. We had a runaround between vendors and it wasn't AHS fault. Submitting the claim was not the problem. The appliance guy they sent out said it was a plumber’s problem, then the plumber came out, looked at it and said it’s the appliance guy. I got to the point where I asked if American Home Shield could send out new vendors, and then the appliance guy came out and said, “I’ll fix it.” He put the parts that needed to be put on and we haven’t had an issue since. The other issue we had prior to that was also fine. They came out and fixed what needed to be fixed and we haven’t had a problem.

American Home Shield Company Profile