Call toll free
4.22/5
Based on 10,888 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. We service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (1)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

34241 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 22, 2019

My 6 year old LGB refrigerator was a lemon from the start. No qualified tech in the Phoenix area for the first several years. 3 compressors, ice maker and the electronics built into this appliance made me call AHS after it went out again. AHS sent out an appliance company and it was determined that the refrigerator was non repairable. He said he would report back to AHS and he would get us a new refrigerator. I laughed to myself. Big surprise is that AHS told me to purchase a new refrigerator up to $3000.00. As I was told, I received a $3000.00 ten days later. WOW! I never expected that.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Called American Shield this morning for a repair and within 2 hours a repairman was here to fix the problem (gas furnace). It was a faulty circuit board. If I hadn't had this contract, it would have cost $800! Thanks for great service!

Original review: March 21, 2019

I was having air conditioner and heater issues and so I went online and filed a claim with American Home Shield. That process wasn't difficult at all and I received a response the next day. It was awesome. The tech who then came was really good. He took his time to talk to me and explained everything. I was impressed by his knowledge of what was going on. Since the repair, the unit has been working great. I would definitely recommend American Home Shield. Everybody needs to get a warranty from them. It's good to have, especially if you're a single woman.

Original review: March 21, 2019

The furnace stopped working so we called American Home Shield to file a claim. It was over the weekend, so there wasn’t anybody that could come and get it fixed. The places aren’t open on the weekends so that was a bit of a letdown. It was easy to do the claim which could be done online or through call and text. It was disappointing though that it was wintertime and we had no heat for a whole weekend. Luckily, it was a warmer weekend when it happened. It's hard though to have children and get them ready for school when it's really cold in the house. But by Monday, somebody came and fixed it and got it running.

The guy who came explained things that he was doing. He was friendly, very nice and professional. The furnace has been fine since then. However, there should be a more immediate way to address some life and death conditions than waiting until something is open. There are places that are open 24/7 that respond to emergency calls so they could also expand the amount of contractors that they can use.

Original review: March 21, 2019

The fan of the AC was making some noise outside. I filed a claim with American Home Shield over the phone and the rep who answered was very professional. They sent out Texas Air right the next day. The technician was a very nice guy. He took care of his job and was very professional. They fixed it the first time and the work they did was great. The claim was handled really good and everything went well. And I already recommended AHS to my sister too.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: March 21, 2019

Our heater wasn’t turning on in our house. I tried lighting the pilot and it would light, but then when the heater gets turned on, it just would never turn on. So, I called American Home Shield. Their contractor came and quickly fixed the problem and get us on the road. AHS's claims process was easy. I did have another claim that I did earlier and I had to call in, and that took a little longer. I was on hold for quite a while. But beyond that, it wasn’t a big deal. Their reps were very informed and helpful. And the techs that they've sent out were really helpful. The experience was great. I'm very impressed with AHS. For three months that I've been with them, they've been really good.

Original review: March 21, 2019

When the washer and dryer had gone bad, I couldn’t wash and dry my choices of what I wanted to wear and my gym clothes. My daughter couldn’t wash her dance clothes too. Then it also costs a little more money to go out because we have to go wash and dry. American Home Shield sent Tri City Appliance and diagnosed what was wrong. They were very friendly but didn’t fix it. American Home Shield had to replace both the washer and dryer. The rep gave me the option of choosing one on my own but then they chose one for me. I wish I had chosen though because I do not like the washer now. I’m not satisfied with it.

I called in the claim to American Home Shield for the washer and dryer. But I would rather file claims online ‘cause sometimes there’s such a language barrier talking to the representative on the other end and I cannot understand them. It even seems as though they don’t understand me because they’re not speaking fluent English. However, there's just too much back-and-forth going online. Also, the prices are just so expensive compared to other vendors’ homeowner policies. Other than that, everything was good.

Original review: March 21, 2019

The refrigerator was not working and was making noise. We contacted the American Home Shield and submitting the claim online was very easy. The next day we got the appointment. The contractor was excellent. They checked the refrigerator and described the process very well. They ordered a part and mentioned that it was gonna take a number of days. We got whatever we were expecting and the refrigerator has been working fine since the repair. I tell others that they should take AHS' service. We’ve been members of AHS for a long time. They've been helpful and we've had a good experience every time. Plus, it’s easy to get assistance whenever we need it.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been with American Home Shield for four years now. Recently I got a heating issue. It was getting too hot and it was running constantly when the heat wasn’t on. AHS sent someone from Ray's Heating out for me. The guy said that some kind of element sticking together that was bad. Once the heat goes off, it was supposed to come apart, which it wouldn't do and it wasn’t telling the thermostat to cool it off. The only thing for me about AHS is just the waiting. I have to stay on the phone for 45 minutes when I am at work trying to call it in.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I was having issues with my stove. I submitted a claim with American Home Shield over the phone. The response that I received from the rep was fine. They were always courteous, understanding, and apologetic. The contractor would've been out in about two days, but he ended up canceling because the stove started working fine.

Original review: March 20, 2019

American Home Shield's service is very fast. My property is rented out, and normally, I leave my renter’s phone number and name. So, I’m not at the home for the problem fixing. They are charged by my renter. But I place all the orders on the website, and normally, I will receive a phone call within one hour once I have placed my order. The website is very easy to use. It's very convenient. Having the warranty on my property is important for the price. But next year, it will be a little bit expensive for me. It should be increased from 500 per year to $65 per month. Other than that, I've had a very good experience and I'm very satisfied.

Original review: March 20, 2019

The American Home Shield representatives knew what they were talking about when I called in claims. We had good, quick and to the point interactions. The contractors also called me right away. When the faucet was not turned correctly, somebody came for it. It was leaking and the guy fixed it. Having the repair done helped. Then I also had an air conditioner issue where United Air Temp came. Overall, whoever AHS sent had been excellent.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I called American Home Shield to submit a claim when the belt of my washing machine had come off. The first time the technician from TrueVine Appliance came, he put the belt back on and it lasted for almost a month. Then, the belt came back off again so I had to call for them to come the second time for the same issue. A second technician came and noticed that it looked like the belt might’ve had some weak spots or some grooves in it. He replaced the belt and since then, it has been doing fine. Also, the interactions I had with their technicians had been great.

However, I was advised that there wouldn’t be an additional service charge if the second call was for the same problem. But, when I checked yesterday, American Home Shield is still showing that I didn’t pay the fee. I have called a couple of times and they told me that they were gonna clear it up and take it off. After the first call, I even got a letter stating that I was past due on that fee. It shouldn’t have been a charge because it was a revisit with them in the time frame for the same problem. Despite that, their customer service has been great and it's been a good experience with American Home Shield.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had a microwave that wasn’t working and American Home Shield's rep took care of business when they needed to. The contractor came out in about two days, but couldn’t do anything for me as far as the work. He sent the work order to AHS and they sent the item to me about a week later. It has to be installed and I'm waiting on the contractor to arrive today.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I just purchased a house and I wanted new keys. I requested for a claim with American Home Shield online and about 15 minutes later, Pop-A-Lock called. Ten minutes later, their guy was here and he was great. He came, explained everything that had to be done, gave me a couple of different options based on what I wanted to be done, and did the work. He did a really good job. It was really simple and very easy.

Original review: March 20, 2019

We've had our furnace serviced before and then again recently, we had a claim for it with a different reason. I went through the online process and it was very simple. American Home Shield sent Value Heating who I already know 'cause they’ve worked on both of my properties before. They're good guys and they work really well. We explained the problem to them when they came out, and they fixed it. The furnace has been okay since the repair and I've no complaints.

The only thing I have with American Home Shield is that during high-level seasons when it's really cold or really hot, they tend to have only 2 or 3 service companies that they contract within my area. So, I have to wait sometimes. If it's a high summer and it's 105 degrees, and the air conditioning breaks down, one would wind up waiting a few days for help. Same thing happens in the wintertime when it's freezing cold and the furnace breaks. That’s the only rub. Still, American Home Shield is a great service and I've invited many people to get it.

Original review: March 19, 2019

When my garbage disposal wasn’t working properly, I went online to file a claim with AHS. It was pretty easy to do, but it took about a week for the tech to come because I had 14 things going on and every time he was able to get to me, I wasn’t able to be at home. But he continued to work with me until I was able to actually meet up with him to get it fixed. He was able to get it fixed in the one visit. And everything’s working fine since. The tech has helped me before when I had a water heater issue and he’s very knowledgeable and professional. And I’m very satisfied with American Home Sheild.

Original review: March 19, 2019

The AC was not giving any heat as well as AC when I turned it up to the appropriate temperature. I went online to submit a claim to American Home Shield and checked out the boxes. The website had very easy steps and it was not complicated at all. It took a day or two to get the contractor out and when he arrived, he was very polite and respectful. He came in, let me know what he was doing and what proper steps I needed to take. He went through what I needed and how long it would take for the parts to come in. Since then, things have been working correctly and I love it. AHS is a great company and the warranty is very affordable.

Original review: March 19, 2019

The dispenser on the icemaker broke so I filed a claim to American Home Shield. I did it online and the website was friendly. The tech came out, saw what it was and ordered the part. The part came in but it wasn’t the right part. He ordered another one with the tray attached to it and it fit perfectly. The reps were very, very nice and very helpful. The gentleman that came out and fixed the problem was very pleasant. I had another claim on my air conditioner and that went good too. They got here the next day on both incidents and got the problem fixed very quickly. I have recommended AHS to a friend that’s in the market for a house.

Original review: March 19, 2019

My faucet was broken in the bathroom and I needed a new one. I submitted a claim with American Home Shield and I did it over the phone. The interaction I had with the rep was fine and the contractor that came out explained things to me. I bought a new faucet and he put it in, and it has been fine.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I do my claims with AHS online, but the latest time, I called a claim in for my hot water heater that went out. It was after hours and I did the prompt. The people that they referred to be in the home took a week to get me on the schedule that they'd get out to my house to even look at it. And then it took them almost another week to get everything. They got everything ordered that night through AHS. But the total time from when I called to when I got hot water was close to about 12 and a half days and it was also winter time. So, that kinda sucked. But I'm sure everybody was busy and the contractors were great. I've had AHS for three and a half years and I haven't had any issues. They could lower down my initial fee for sending somebody out, but other than that, all my experiences were good. I've called and I get the responses through American Home Shield. They've done exactly what I would hope.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I’ve had American Home Shield for about 24 years and I got it on two homes. My homeowners insurance guy introduced me to it and I’ve always found it to be a good deal. Sometimes, they would rule based on underwriting on what they approve so you have to get involved and talk to them a bit. They’re very mechanical and they go through a flowchart, but a flowchart doesn’t explain everything so you have to work with them to help them understand. Sometimes, I spend too much time on the phone with them trying to get stuff taken care of and it’s hard to get a live person, but they’re getting better. They’re also confused about their own policies sometimes, but overall, they've come through. I recommend them to other people all the time.

I called them when our water filter system was leaking and I asked them to send someone out right away. At first, they said it would be a day. I got no toilet and I couldn’t turn the water back because it would leak all over the house. So, then they got the guy out there, and within a half an hour, he fixed it. And it was great. The guy that they sent out had been out before and he was pretty sharp. Sometimes we get guys that aren’t as experienced, but they guarantee their work. A couple of times, there were people who couldn't fix our issues because they didn't have the resources, and AHS would put someone else out there.

It's just frustrating that a lot of times, for my lake home up North, I gotta find and pay the person, then AHS will reimburse me. It's a pain in the butt considering the amount of time I have to spend finding somebody -- just for me to get on the phone or on the internet for it. It’s hard to find people in remote areas, and then this fall, the guy that did the work screwed me. I couldn’t get him to stand by his work. I paid him and AHS paid me, but the issue still needed more work. So, I had to call AHS back and tell them to open up the issue again. I also told them to send someone out because the other guys didn’t do things right. And AHS did it. So overall, I find AHS to be one of my good vendors that I use. And when something works, I stick with it.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We thought there was something majorly wrong with our washer as it was making some crazy sounds. It also had a crazy smell, so we thought there might be something wrong with the motor in it. A tech then came and checked it out, and it ended up being fine. We’ve been using it ever since. We had good interaction with American Home Shield's rep, and even though we did not end up doing a claim, things worked out well with a quick service.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I wasn’t getting any heat with the air conditioner and it was making a lot of noise. I submitted a claim online to American Home Shield. Trying to call them was impossible. I couldn't get through. It was a waste of time even trying to call them, so I was basically forced to go online to get it done. Their response time was great nonetheless. The contractor that came out was a real good guy. He had everything taken apart and then diagnosed the problem, and it was done. However, AHS took almost a week to get the compressor that was needed. The contractor had one but AHS wouldn’t let him use his parts so he had to order it from AHS, which I wasn’t too thrilled about.

The contractor had to come back on a fan because the fan motor went out. I don't know if that was part of the original problem, but they replaced the compressor and the noise was good then. However, a day later, the screeching started back up. It was like an intermittent type thing. But the bearings were shut in the fan and the air conditioner is fine now. I just happened to pay $500 for the Freon which was ridiculously priced and that shouldn’t happen. The other companies that do the same service don’t charge for the Freon. That was my only complaint

Original review: March 18, 2019

I submitted a claim with American Home Shield for an issue with the pool. I did it online and the process was easy. The response time once I submitted the claim was very good. Overall, the service has been good and what most impressed me about the contractor was their timeliness. The quality of service was good, but the pool still needs some work. There was a thoroughness factor with the contractors that came out.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I submitted a claim to American Home Shield for a leak in the water heater. Their claim process was very simple. They took my name, sent out a repair person and replaced the water heater. It was very quick, efficient and a good experience for me to watch and learn. I have a good level of satisfaction with the quality of repairs that AHS's contractors do. AHS sends out good people to do the job that they’re trying to take care of. They should keep doing what they’re doing and hiring good, professional people to service the people who pay for their service. So far, they’ve done an air conditioner and a water heater for me. The contractors that they've sent out have been pleasant, knew and explained what they were doing, and were quick and efficient. I've been with AHS for a few years now and I’ve been very pleased with with the service that they provide.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Having a warranty with American Home Shield is good. We have told several people that it is good to get it and we’ve had some who got AHS. When our furnace quit working, we submitted a claim to them and our experience was very good. We had a contractor from Rice Heating and Air Conditioning Company check it. We talked to him when he came and he told us what he would do. He went out there and messed around with the furnace. He said it had just come unplugged, so he plugged it up and the furnace has been working since. The contractor got it done and he did well.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I called American Home Shield for my refrigerator stopped running, and they set me up with an appointment. Dealing with their reps went perfectly and they were very courteous and professional. However, after I had made arrangements to stay home and wait for the contractor, I got a call at the last minute and was told that the guy couldn't get out that day. So, it was a wasted day off for me and I had to reschedule the service. But other than that, everything went smoothly and it was the way they said it would be. The guy came out and he knew right away what was wrong with my refrigerator. He ordered the part and came back in a week with the part and fixed it. And it has worked perfectly since. I've used my AHS warranty a couple of times and it's definitely worth it to have. Aside from the refrigerator, I've had the water heater repaired and that would've cost me a lot more money than what I paid. I've had nothing but great experience with AHS.

Original review: March 18, 2019

The washer quit working so I called American Home Shield and about seven days later, Paul's Appliance came out. The tech had to order a part and when it came in, he fixed it. Considering he had to order the part and everything, he was pretty timely and everything seems fine with the washer now. American Home Shield is very good to have when you need it. I would recommend them for sure.

Original review: March 18, 2019

People in our neighborhood have recommended American Home Shield. Whenever I submit a claim, I do it online or call it in. Both work for me. Recently, our kitchen faucet leaked so I wasn't able to use it. High Priority Plumbing and Service came out and they were great. They were quick, they called right away and sent somebody out. They ordered what needed to be ordered. They were super helpful, so we appreciated doing business with them. We would use them again if we ever needed anything. I recommend them to people out here.

American Home Shield expert review by Michele Lerner

American Home Shield (AHS) was founded in 1971 and is part of the ServiceMaster family of companies. AHS provides warranty coverage to 1.7 million customers across the United States, and the company has paid out $2 billion in home warranty claims since 2013. The company offers customizable plans to meet most consumers’ needs and budgets.

• High coverage limits: AHS covers up to $3000 in repair or replacement costs for many covered appliances and the company will spend up to $250 to obtain needed permits or to correct code violations.

• Choice of plans: Customers can choose to cover just their systems or appliances or save money with a combination policy; completely customized warranty programs are also available.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week; service requests are typically filled within 48 hours.

• Service fees: Consumers choose between policies with a $75, $100 or $125 service fee. Warranties with lower service fees will have higher premiums, so customers can select the plan that works best for their budget.

• Service providers: AHS works with over 14,000 local contractors to make service repairs. The company monitors consumers’ reviews of contractors to ensure AHS warranty holders only work with qualified service providers.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Home Shield Company Information