toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The contractors that they have sent out to our home were very professional and personable. We’ve had a humidifier put on our furnace and we had our furnace fixed at the same time and they did a wonderful job. I recently submitted a claim over the phone a couple of weeks ago. We had to call the plumber because we didn’t know what was wrong with our water heater. They were able to answer all my questions and if they didn’t know the answer they would find it out from somebody else. I have recommended them to my daughter.

We had an issue with the garbage disposal and American Home Shield had to replace it. I usually submit my claims to them online, and it has always been an easy process. The contractors that they sent out to our home have been wonderful. The most recent one, O & W Plumbing, was the best. They were as professional as they can be as well as American Home Shield. We've been with AHS for almost three years now, and I've been very pleased.

We filed two claims recently with American Home Shield. My husband did it online and then we heard from the people almost within a few hours. Our garage door wasn’t opening because of an electrical wiring problem and the man came out, fixed it, cleaned up after, and everything was fine. The other one was with the garbage disposal that wasn't working. The plumber who we’re first given to did not respond and we never heard from them. After 24 hours my husband called AHS back and asked for the people we’ve had out before for plumbing problems and they came out almost immediately. Everything has gone very well afterward. In the few times that we’ve had claims with AHS, it normally takes no more than 24 hours from scheduling an appointment with the contractors and them coming out, which is not bad at all.

I started with American Home Shield just a few months ago. I went with them was because a friend of mine has had American Home Shield for 10 years now or however long it is and he swears by them. I think they've pretty much replaced every single appliance in his house. I'm having an AC repair work done and submitting a claim through the internet is a very easy process. Just log in and select the issue you have, and then put in the request. They respond pretty quickly. The vendor that they hired to do it came out within a couple of days, which was expected but the problem wasn't fixed right away. It seems like they were sort of chasing the issue. That's not American Home Shield's issue, that's the vendor’s issue. But all in all, they came back and they kept doing it and eventually, it got fixed.

The way American Home Shield handles it is pretty easy. Unfortunately, when you have a return visit issue within a certain amount of time, you can't request it online. You have to call them so that they can force it through the system. This way, you're not being charged the fee for them to come out. The policy with American Home Shield is that they come out to fix the same thing, you don't get charged for the return visit, which is a lot nicer.

Also, with American Home Shield, they pay their portion and then if you wanted an upgrade, that's up to you. You pay the difference and they were fine with it. In the other company, you didn't have the opportunity to upgrade your equipment. You were stuck with what you had. I understand I wasn't expecting them to pay the difference but I should have, at least, had the option to pay the difference and I wasn’t able to. For example, my friend had a standard hot water heater, the tank type, which he didn't want. He wanted an instant-on type. He wanted an upgrade and American Home Shield said he has to pay for the difference which he did. In my case with the other company, I wanted my water heater to be replaced but they said that they would only give me what I have.

American Home Shield

Hi Joshua, I would like to apologize on behalf of AHS for the inconvenience that you have encountered. In order to further assist you a social media rep will be contacting you to follow up. Thank you

Original review: April 22, 2017

We have been with American Home Shield for a few years and had our family/friends on service with them. All of which have canceled due to horrific customer service issues. I'm writing to warn anyone looking into home warranty to be aware this company which is owned by ServiceMaster that when calling into customer service be prepared to wait 1-2 weeks for any part to come in. Also in more older appliances they can't get the part so you will end up waiting 2-3 weeks for a cash out. If in fact you need to cash out it is odd that you will be unable to reach a manager nor will the rep give you any information regarding if and when a manager will contact you. I'm amazed that service like this still exists. It's unreal, mark my words your first claim will be your last. It's just not worth it. To be honest they don't even deserve the 1 star.

American Home Shield

Hi Jackie, I would like to apologize on behalf of AHS for the inconvenience that you have encountered. In order to further assist you a social media rep will be contacting you to follow up. Thank you

Original review: April 21, 2017

Very dissatisfied with the contractors that American Home Shield sent out to repair my dishwasher. American home Shield sent out Express Appliance Service. They are very unreliable. They were sent to my house through American home Shield to repair my dishwasher. They came out, looked at the dishwasher, took my $125 deductible, told me that the wiring in the dishwasher was seized and may not be able to be repaired. I have not heard from them since I have been calling and they do not return my calls. I have called American Home Shield for updates and they have never contacted them as well. Most likely I will cancel my insurance with American Home Shield because if this is the quality of the contractors they send out it is not worth the $60 a month that I pay for the insurance.

Hi Manav,

I would like to thank you fro being a valued American Home Shield customer of two years. I do understand your frustration regarding your cook top and the daily inconvenience that the issues have caused you. In order to assist you further a social media specialist would like to speak with you soon!

Original review: April 21, 2017

Have been a customer for 2 years now. My cooktop required repairs back in Dec 2016, called AHS and it took them until mid Jan to find a Contractor (unacceptable to take this long just to look at the issue). Finally had a contractor look at the cooktop and identify a part that needs to be replaced. From Feb 2017 until April 21st I am told the part is back-ordered and therefore nothing can be done. I repeatedly (at least 6 times) asked to speak with a Supervisor to get the cooktop replaced. Assured a supervisor would call me within 24-48 hours, I Never received a callback!!!

Then last week I am told that the part was shipped to the contractor 2 months ago but they cannot get a hold of the contractor so there is nothing that they can do. I feel as though this a SCAM and that I am given the run-around every time I call them so they don't have to replace the cooktop. To date they are still giving me the runaround and have not replaced the broken part or replaced the cooktop. Not sure what this warranty had provided outside of frustration and hours of wasted time calling them waiting on hold and then repeating the same story to a different call center rep that sounds like they could care less. Just finished a call with their Escalation Service Support area which told me they can't do anything for me. I am done with AHS!!! Canceling my policy.

American Home Shield

Hi Levon, one of our social media specialist would be glad to speak with you in order to address the issues that you have been facing since 04/17 with your air conditioning unit. Thank you.

Original review: April 21, 2017

American Home Shield has service my house on numerous occasions. This particular time they sent a crappy contractor name James from changing Wind heating and air conditioning. He was extremely rude and this shows you how AHS will send out anybody to do service at your home. He didn't show up the first day and when he came he diagnosed my air conditioning. Called me back the following day very disgruntled and rude when he thought I was going with another contractor. Then AHS wanted me to pay him and expected me to pay another contractor as well. Terrible experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

American Home Shield has been wonderful so far. I called them the last time I had a problem with my refrigerator and washing machine, but those couldn't be fixed, so they replaced them. My ice maker went out on my refrigerator and they have worked on that as well. Everybody I talked with on the phone and anybody that has come to the house to do the work has been pleasant as they could be. They call and let me know they're coming and set up a time. They'll call again to let you know they're on their way and what time they will possibly get there. When they arrive, they introduce themselves and get busy on what they need to do. They're very friendly, cooperative and helpful. They're just the kind of people you want to work with if you have a problem. It's been a very good experience.

Having American Home Shield is good risk mitigation. I called them as the heating system was failing to function. I asked them if I could use one of their recommended providers that I had used before, and they said yes. They put me in contact with the provider. He came out, found the problem and fixed it. But the plumber that American Home Shield recommended in January when I had a water leak was horrible. I wasn't satisfied with the first two times he came to solve the same problem. By the third time he finally fixed it but each time, he guessed something different. In addition to everything else, he almost forfeited the insurance claim. Unfortunately, there was an insurance claim tied up with it because it was something that was leaking.

I've had some bad luck with this house so it's a good thing that I have American Home Shield. I've had to file several claims and oftentimes, it's something simple that I wish I could have fixed myself like with my AC recently. Then, back in January, I asked for my Wolf cooktop to be serviced. I went through a couple of people but they couldn't fix it. Finally, I landed on a contractor who seemed very knowledgeable. Although they were to order parts from Wolf and it's still not fixed. Every time I call them, they say they're trying to get the parts and I had to wait. They also said that the work was completed and AHS might think that it is, but the guy said that the girl working on his front desk made a mistake. I've never had any problems that have taken a while, except this one. Everything else has been completed just fine.

I had a claim several years ago where I had an electrical issue and they had to replace the main electrical panel in the house. American Home Shield sent the guys to do the work. Right now, I'm in the process of selling my house and some people gave me an offer on it. When the inspector came in and opened up that panel, all kinds of issues were found with the way the technicians wired it up since they didn't do it correctly.

I contacted AHS to have someone come out to check it out and fix it, but it was very difficult communicating. I was told that I wouldn't have to pay the $75 charge 'cause they have to come out, evaluate and see if it was bad workmanship. But the company tried to charge me $75 and we paid it. I contacted American Home Shield about it and it's been a couple of days. I have to call them and find out what's going on 'cause no one has gotten back to me yet if they're going to fix it. Also, the guy who was sent out for the evaluation could barely speak English and he had a lot of trouble understanding what I was saying to him.

American Home Shield is usually good about getting somebody out. A lot of times, they go back and forth with the tradespeople regarding whether or not they're going to cover something that goes on or they wouldn't. Usually, it's not an issue and it's just a process. Overall, I had some stuff resolved but right now, it's a bad time. I have open issues and it's difficult talking with people. Also, I have two homes with American Home Shield and I'm supposed to get a 50 discount but I never got it.

We had a great experience with American Home Shield. I had a bathtub drain problem and I called them then their contractor High Priority Plumbing called me and we set up an appointment. The contractor who came was very, very helpful, knowledgeable and prompt. Since the repair, the drain is working great and I can take a bath now. AHS was dependable, overall.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

American Home Shield

Hi Jesus, thank you for your feedback. I look forward to speaking with you in order to address the issues that you have been ongoing with your main water valve. Based on the information you provided, I was able to access your account and will be happy to assist you. Thank you.

Original review: April 20, 2017

They have the worst customer service on the planet. I wish I would have never went with this company. They go out of the way to not cover your products. I called for service for a leak in my main water valve. It sits inches away from my foundation and the person that requested service knew this. Tech comes and does nothing but tell me it inches away from the foundation and leaves. Yet they want $75 for that even though the rep that scheduled the service knew this. I will not ever recommend anyone ever do business with this company. They have been more of a headache than piece of mind.

Insufficient response received

American Home Shield

Hi Tony, thank you for your feedback. I look forward to speaking with you in order to address the issues that you have been ongoing with your Whirlpool Jacuzzi tub. I do understand your frustration and will look into your account based on the information you provided, in order for me to further assist you. Thank you.

Original review: April 20, 2017

Two months, and 3 service calls later, American Home Shield has determined that my Jacuzzi whirlpool tub is not covered. Even though under the contract I signed it states that whirlpool tubs are covered. They do a great job in selling you the "fantastic features" of the home warranty, but when you go to use it they refuse to cover any of the repair costs. The first plumbing company they sent out was a young kid who obviously had no idea how to diagnose my issues. He filled the tub up and looked for leaks in the supply lines & drain, which didn't exist, and stated that he was just a plumber and I would need to have a mechanical contractor come out who specializes in whirlpool tubs. It's a bathtub, and you're a plumber, right?

The second company that American Home Shield sent out was a mechanical contractor company. Two guys showed up on my front door and my wife was scared to let them in. They did not appear to be affiliated with any type of professional company whatsoever. I allowed them in and they cut a series of random holes in 2 rooms of my house (family room under my master-bath whirlpool tub, and the spare bedroom next to my master bath. Disaster! Wet drywall mud and dust everywhere! This company spent about 1 1/2 hours trying to diagnose my issue, only to tell me that I needed a whole new tub because the tub was cracked by the drain! If the tub was cracked by the drain, why does it only leak when the jets are turned on?

Oh, and by the way, they asked me if I had any beer in the house while they were there working. Ugh. This is the type of company that American Home Shield contracts to perform home warranty claims!? This company spent 30 minutes on hold with the AHS approval department trying to get approval to complete the repairs. They finally wound up leaving because they could not wait around on hold all day.

A few days went by and I had not heard anything about my claim yet, so I decided to call AHS and inquire. I was told that the mechanical contractor stated my tub was cracked which was not covered under my warranty, but if I wanted I could hire them to replace the tub at a costs of $1800. Uh, nope. I asked AHS for a THIRD opinion and asked them to send out another plumber for a diagnosis. They did, 2 weeks later.

The third "plumber", after making 2 additional holes in my spare room wall, discovered that 3 of the 6 jets were cracked and leaking (the tub itself was not cracked as the previous mechanical contractor stated). He stated that this happens all the time because of the builders quality of the whirlpool tubs they install in house these days (my house is 12 years old). Again, after being on hold with the AHS approval line for around 20 minutes, he said he needed to leave and he would stay on the line and submit his diagnosis and get an approval for a repair. Two days later AHS called me at 9:30 in the evening and stated that my warranty does not cover the jets of a whirlpool tub, or anything else involved mechanically with a whirlpool tub. Huh? AHS stated that if I wanted to have the repairs made it would cost $1175. Again, huh!

If my warranty states that whirlpool tub are covered, but nothing mechanical is covered for a whirlpool tub (motor/jets), or the actual tub itself (fiberglass shell), then what is left? The faucet? I just don't get it. If I would have looked into this company a bit more before shelling out the $415 for the "fantastic features" of an American Home Shield warranty I would have noticed that on the Better Business Bureau website that this company has 476 negative reviews OUT OF 505!!! Seriously? This company is still in business? And, on the BB site, there have been a total of 8043 customer complaints filed against this company! How is it possible for a company to be this terrible and still remain in business?

I’ve called American Home Shield about an issue with our plumbing. To submit the claim is easy but to get it actually taken care of is a problem. The problem is they’re sending the same plumber for four times and it’s still not fixed. I’ve reached out to customer service regarding this and then the other problems came up. I went out of town so they said I missed the 30-day deadline to get it re-done and wanted me to pay another co-pay even though the problem was not fixed.

We moved into a new home and it was part of the real estate transaction that we have American Home Shield for a year. I called them three times so far. One was for air conditioner, one was for plumbing and one was for a dishwasher. And each time, they were very timely and very organized. The online communication was great and the people seemed to be willing to take the time to make sure that there was no confusion on how the repair works were billed. They also responded right away and did reminder calls. And all the three different technicians who came out were very helpful and seemed very knowledgeable. All of our problems were resolved.

My dishwasher wouldn't come on. I checked what I needed to check, then I called American Home Shield. The contractor was very professional. When he came out, he found that the problem was a piece that broke off. They had to order a new dishwasher and it seems smaller than the one we had, but it works.

I called American Home Shield because the furnace would not come on, and they came out the very next day. I was shocked. I called the night before and placed the claim. And then they called the next morning and told me they would be there right after lunch. They were the same people that installed the air conditioning unit about three weeks ago, and one of them said the reason the furnace wasn’t coming on was the flue had been knocked off and it was laying on the ground. So all he had to do was to reattach the flue and tape it up real quick, and there was no charge for that.

American Home Shield sent different contractors but the same company. For my air conditioning claim, BreezeWays wanted to charge me $900, and I said, “No, no, no, ‘cause I talked to my warranty company and I agreed to $700 and something, and that’s what you initially said.” And so I was told, “We’ll go ahead and settle with the $700.” But they wanted to charge $125 for the pads to set the compressor on and mine was a concrete pad. There was no reason it should have been replaced, and so they knocked that off.

I tried to complain to American Home Shield that I didn’t see why I was charged that much because it was all included in my home warranty, including the air conditioner package deal and furnace. But the girl I spoke to didn't know what she was talking about, and said, “They have to retrofit all the things in order to hook up the system.” I said, “All they have to do, ma’am, is disconnect what’s there and re-hook the other up.” They didn’t use new wiring or re-plumbing, but I had to pay $700. I wasn’t really happy about having to pay that additional charge. When you have a warranty to cover the air conditioning system, that should be covered, no matter what has to be done to it. But overall, I was very pleased with the sincerity and how fast American Home Shield responded.

I've used AHS when I was a homeowner before. So when I got a new home, it was automatic to get a home warranty and since I was familiar with them, I decided to get them. And so far, my experience with them has gone well on a couple of events but not so well on other events. My only concern is the impression that they'd get our home back to what it looked like before we used their repair service.

For example, I had a leak in my ceiling. Initially the plumber came in and had to make a hole in the ceiling to fix the leak. But now, I'm having to deal with the drywall guy to come in and patch it up, and all they'll do is patch it up to a rough finish, not to what it was before. So, even though there's an associated damage, wherein it leaks into the seams, it's more than that piece that the plumber had to pull out that really needs to get fixed. But they're not going to fix that because that's not part of the warranty which doesn't make sense. Still, AHS is a good safety net to have, but be ready to spend more money than what they advertise.

Consumer Increased Rating!

American Home Shield

Hi Rhonda, if there is anything that I can further assist you with I'd be glad to help. I will be contacting you soon to speak with you in regards to your garage door work order and contract coverage. Thank you.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Placed my first service request for my garage door thinking that it would be covered. The part that was not working was not covered (a spring above the door). I am just disappointed that the warranty didn't cover my need and now I'm concerned that should I need something else fixed that it will not be covered either. It also took me calling American Home Shield back twice over a four-day period before the garage door people called me with my service request. Guess I should have read more of the fine print or maybe the fine print needs more of an explanation of things covered and not covered.

American Home Shield

Hi Mr. Thomas, I do understand how much of an inconvenience long hold times can be or even waiting to be serviced. I understand you as a customer and would like to speak with you soon in regards to your service requests. Thank you

Original review: April 19, 2017

Firstly, the customer service hold times are for the ages. No one should have to wait for several hours to get their call answered. Secondly, components can fail for many reasons and when they do they should be covered since it is normal wear and tear. I have several issues that are hazardous and could cause health and property damage concerns. American Home Shield (AHS) is trying to avoid paying coverage. I am going to escalate to my attorney if they don't address soon! Lastly, most of the vendors take too long to schedule an appointment after I open a service request. Why should I have to wait a week for help??

American Home Shield can be irksome to work with and I'm very disappointed with them because I still have an open case here where no one's ever responded to me. It's about that the servicemen who came out about a year and a half ago in this house. He stunk and was dirty and when he worked on my dishwasher, he gouged my floor out. He didn't lay down a piece of cardboard, like others normally do, to bring the dishwasher out from under the counter. And the flooring would have to be replaced in order to take the gouge out. That floor is continuous from the kitchen all the way around through the dinette into the family room and it's made of wood which is not cheap. I made a complaint to American Home Shield and they've done absolutely nothing about it.

Otherwise, when I call for service, they usually set something up. And I had service people sent to me that I've called and complained to American Home Shield about. I don't want them and I don't want to see them again ever. But in general, the service is all right. I received great service for the last work done for the house on Flintwood. I'd give the service company itself the highest rating possible. They were very good, very responsive and very quick to order up. We also received great service for the work recently done for the Hosman house. The contractors were quick to set it up then they came out when my son was there, took care of what they needed to and ordered what they needed to. Then they came out and put it in.

I submitted a claim for an air conditioning system upstairs that was not functioning properly. I went online and it was very easy to do. I put everything in the system, American Home Shield assigned a company, and the company contacted me. They were supposed to contact me within 24 hours and they actually contacted me within three hours. That was nice. Then told me they'd be there within 24 hours. And they were there within 24 hours, fixed the issue, explained to me what the issue was, and everything's perfect.

The service guy let me know that he was on his way. He called me when he was in my driveway and said, "I'm here and I'm going to come to your door. So if you have any dogs, please put them away." He interacted with me, and listed exactly what was going on. He went upstairs, and then he went outside. He then came back to the door and knocked on the door again.

He explained what he found, told me it would take approximately 30 minutes to fix, and that he'll knock on the door again when he's ready to come in and test the system. He did that and after it was all over, he said, "Please contact me if you have any issues with it whatsoever. You do have a limited warranty on the work that I did today, and I'm more than happy to help you out any way that I can and answer any questions." He was very thorough. My experience was very pleasant, and they had awesome followup. I just renewed once again because the product is wonderful. The services have been good throughout the year.

I had a problem with my air conditioning. I submitted a claim with American Home Shield online and within 24 hours, a contractor reached out to me. We spoke over the phone because I was still on my way home. He was very polite and while he was here, he explained about the other services that the company provide which I also took advantage of. He fixed my air conditioning and everything went well. With American Home Shield, I have peace of mind.

American Home Shield

Hi Tamara, I most certainly understand your frustration of being without a washer machine for three weeks now. One of our social media specialist Stacy will be follwing up with you in order to figure out how we can get your issues resolved as soon as possible. Thank you

Original review: April 18, 2017

The ONLY reason I am giving AHS 2 stars is because the first issue I had they handled quickly and efficiently. Ironically, the plumbing issue came to light during the first issue, repairing my washing machine. There was no hot water coming from the valve to my washing machine. I explained this and somehow AHS listed it as a hot water heater problem when it was not. First tech came whilst I was out of town 3 weeks ago. I came home to none of the items (there were a couple other I threw on. Not sure if they were warrantied or not - no biggie they weren't) covered under warranty. I called re the valve and they said they'd send for a second opinion. 1 weeks later tech comes out and agrees with me it's a warrantied issue, but doesn't have part on his van and will call me with an appointment.

Yet ANOTHER week goes by (keep in mind it's my washing machine and I'm down to wearing bikini bottoms for underwear when I can't get to the laundromat) and I get a call that AHS isn't putting it on the work order for the tech to be paid. I call AHS and am on hold TWICE for 45 minutes and they continue to tell me the water heater is fine. I KNOW IT IS! I received a call from the 2nd tech today that their entire work order was cancelled. I called AHS and they are sending out another random company to "inspect and get a second opinion - it's the THIRD" and saying that there is no need for replacement parts and after the inspection IF they decided it needs to be replaced they'll set another appointment. This is insane! I work customer service on a daily basis and feel I've been more than understanding whilst they have no urgency to get my washer working after 3 weeks and now a minimum of 1.5 more. Disgusting.

Hi Ted,

I do want to start by thanking you for being a valued American Home Shield customer for over 10 years. i would like to follow up with you in an effort to resolve the issues that you have encountered with placing a service requests or contractors when in need of service. Thank you

Original review: April 18, 2017

I have been an American Home Shield customer for over 10 years. When I started with them the service was excellent and the coverage was adequate for my home. As the years progressed there was a marked decline in what is actually covered and in the customer service received over the phone. Each time I phoned up to place a service ticket it took 20-30 minutes of waiting on the line for a live person to speak with. Several times I was assigned a service tech company that did a really poor job and did not actually fix my issue. I needed to have several service calls "re-assigned" to a different service tech company.

In the future I would need to call in for every service call to make sure they didn't assign one of the poor service tech companies to my issue. This resulted in me being on the phone for extensive periods to just place a service call to get something fixed. The AHS service desk was often rude and not helpful. Needless to say I have cancelled my contract and found a better home warranty company that has great prices and great customer service. Two things many companies are lacking these days.

Hi Heidi,

I do understand your frustration and would be glad to further assist you in getting your washer issues resolved. In order to find the best resolution I would like to speak with you and will be contacting you soon to discuss the situation at hand. Than you.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I've paid every single month for this "service" from AHS. Well, the first time that I actually have had to use it has been TERRIBLE! I called Monday to tell them my washing machine needs repair. I was on hold for 20 minutes. Finally got someone and they took my down info via phone but I didn't have the name of the washing machine. They said a technician would be out Tuesday from Sears from 10am-2pm the next day (today).

Later that day, I called again when I had the name of the washer along with what the issue was and the serial number if needed. Well, the customer service agent cut me off multiple times and said, "We don't need any of that info." I thought giving them that info would help the tech bring the right part out. But, what do I know. She then says she has NO record of me calling in earlier in the system and she had to recreate it. Are you kidding me? While doing that she talks to Sears and they say they have a record there and they will be out from 8am-12pm!! What the hell.

So, later that day, I get an automated call from Sears saying now that a technician will be out between 10am-2pm. Another change. Well, sure enough at 1:30 no sign of the technician. I call AHS and they call Sears and they were told by AHS that I canceled my appointment and that the washer was fixed! This was after I waited 20 minutes on the phone again with AHS to even hear this update. I took the day off of work, we still have no working washing machine, and Sears and AHS took no accountability for this. NOTHING. I was so upset and NO one would help me. The AHS customer service rep would not send me to a supervisor, "no one was available" or would possibly call me back and no one apologized and in fact accused me of canceling my own appointment!

YOU GUYS ARE THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMPANY EVER! We all know that they don't give a crap because they will still make me pay $75.00 when someone finally decides to come out and actually fix the damn machine. I hate you AHS and Sears! You take no accountability for anything for customers that really need you! You suck!

Insufficient response received

Hi Yuri,

I would be glad to further assist you in hopes to find out more about the issues that have occurred regarding your air conditioner work order. I will be contacting you soon to follow up. Thank you

Original review: April 18, 2017

I called AHS when my AC stopped working. After making me pay $125 for the assessment week later they told me that they will not pay for repairs because my AC has preexisting condition! Interesting... It worked fine for 2 days and then it died. How is that a preexisting condition? I called them and all they had to offer is another assessment for another $125! Total waste of time and money! Folks need to be aware of this scam.

Hi Kim,

I do understand your concerns and would like to speak with you to make sure that your appliances have been repaired/replaced, if not find out how we can resolve the issues that you are dealing with. Thank you

Original review: April 18, 2017

If you already have all of the nicest appliances in your home, I suppose they wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately for me, my place needed some work when I bought it and the AHS warranty was purchased for me by the original owner as part of the purchase. I intended to replace the appliances with better quality ones whenever they broke, but AHS only allowed like for like. I wasn't allowed to pay the difference between the existing quality and the nicer one and have them just put in the newer, nicer one. They had to put the identical crappy appliance back and charge a $75 service fee on top of it. When I didn't renew my subscription, they continually called me back to try to nag me into renewing, despite my telling them repeatedly that I didn't want to renew. If your business model revolves around nagging your clients into renewing, you're doing something wrong!

American Home Shield is great. My wife chose them and they’re very good. Their reps are very helpful too and the contractor they sent out was very professional and knowledgeable. The only problem I have is my stove. The guy has been here two times and it's still not working right. We seem to have a problem that I don't know what it is and neither does he. He changed a bunch of parts and nothing’s working yet.

American Home Shield

Hi Russell. I deeply apologize for the way your account was handled by us (AHS). Our records indicate that you have canceled your contract but the issue with your HVAC system has not been resolved yet. Please allow me to research your records in am effort to resolve this matter. I just left a message on your voicemail with my email as the main contact (swilliams5@ahslink.com). I look forward to speaking with you soon. Thanks.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Again... I wish there were negative stars to rate my experience. I've had an American Home Shield insurance policy for almost 10 years to cover home repairs specifically for the HVAC units because they were original to the home. I've keep my agreement with AHS current since that time until I cancelled the agreement today on April 17 2017. The downstairs AC unit started tripping my electric breaker in September 2016 (yes... almost 7 months ago). American Home Shield sent a vendor to my home to repair the unit. He could not repaired it. The unit would work for a while and then would trip the breaker again... after about three return visits.

Prior to this event this unit had a freon leak for years. Every summer (sometimes multiple times in a single summer) I'd have to have freon added because of a leak in the downstairs unit. In each occurrence I contacted AHS to have a vendor come to my home to add freon and check on the leak for years. Apparently, one of these vendors added dye to find the freon leak without my knowledge. I suspect it was the last vendor who worked on the unit to add freon because the leak stopped. I cannot be sure because they didn't tell me they added dye... or sealant. Apparently you are not supposed to use dye in AC units because it can cause damage (or so the last vendor told me). The dye event was not documented by the offending vendor so this information was not included on any invoice. This is important because it is the root of the current breaker issue.

The currently breaker issue is due to too much dye being introduced into the unit. The dye overworks the AC unit which is burning out the motor which now trips the breaker. Two contractors (both sent by AHS) have confirmed that the unit needs to be replaced. None of the contractors that previously worked on the units are admitting that they used dye because they know they would have to make repairs at their cost.

American Home Shield will not approve the repair because they are saying that the problem is not due to normal wear and tear. My position is AHS sent a vendor (or vendors) to my home that damaged my AC unit beyond feasible repair and now is denying the claim. I believe AHS is at fault because they will allow and work with vendors who use dye on customer jobs which can and does damage AC units. Even one of their authorization reps told me this today on the phone that this is a normal procedure to pressurize and dye the line to find freon leaks.

Additionally I consider this a bad faith insurance practice as they unnecessarily delayed the claims for weeks/months by not responding to my open claim in a timely fashion (weeks) and requesting multiple vendor visits and second opinions. I had to reach out to them every single time to get an update over a series of weeks to get information as they never returned any of my calls or met the called back appointments that they set with me on the phone. I had re-explain the history of the problem every time I called them even though they had a complete record of all of my calls. This happened no less than 6-8 times. I believe they were actively engaging in business practices designed to deter my claim from being addressed in hopes that I would quit calling... or get fed up and drop the issue and pay for it myself. Very dishonest. I've missed about 5 days of work dealing with this issue over the past month.

When I contacted the vendors directly for more information they made similar claims about AHS that AHS seemed to be actively avoiding their calls for clarification on my claim. One of them stated that they treat their vendors as badly as they treat their customers. AHS claimed that the vendors has not called to provide them with requested information on the quotes (which the vendors insisted they had already provided and were quick to give me great detail about their discussion with their AHS contractor/vendor reps). Vendors also stated that they needed to get the autho limit increase in writing because the AHS reps would tell them one thing, but then act differently... leaving them to pay out of pocket on some jobs. Again VERY dishonest. AHS repeated failed to report on their findings on my claim or their "investigation" (which I'm not sure was ever really done) and they used unreasonable excuses for not paying out on my claim.

After almost a decade of being a customer... I feel cheated, lied to, swindled and exhausted. I'm paying for the AC unit replacement out of my pocket. It's the principle of the matter for me at this point. Today I filed a complaint with the BBB and the Attorney General of South Carolina and I'll be filing a lawsuit this week or next. It will be expensive, but I don't care. It's the principle of the matter for me at this point. This is the first time in my life that I've ever posted anything like this and I'm doing so in hopes that I will save someone else a terrible prolonged experience with American Home Shield.

I file claims with American Home Shield either online or over the phone. Recently, I did one online, which was pretty easy, and it was for the repair of my refrigerator. Interactions with their contractors have been good so far. If a claim is for something that they have to do in a couple of days, the contractors will do it. With my refrigerator, however, they did in one day and it was fine.

American Home Shield Company Profile