Call toll free
4.19/5
Based on 9,904 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. We service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (1)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

28470 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

We lost power in half of the house so I filed a claim with American Home Shield. Right now, the work is only half done. The contractor was able to get some of the lights fixed but we still have a whole row of rooms that he couldn't fix. There was good communication though. They have to do a follow-up and somebody else is coming today. The warranty with American Home Shield is worth it.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

It was hot in my house. So, I submitted an AC claim with American Home Shield online. The contractor that they sent was very nice. She came in, told me what was wrong, and what she was gonna do to fix it. Then she tested the air afterwards to make sure it was a certain temperature to make sure that I didn't need any Freon. She said it was great. My AC was fine right after the repair.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

For some reason, the AC worked fine when I turned it on. But then all of a sudden, it started leaking water like crazy, and it flooded the floor that it’s on. So, as soon as I saw the water coming out, I called American Home Shield. A guy came in and he explained to me that it just needed to be flushed, and that next time, all I need is to put hot water so it will flush all the dirt through. Everything’s working fine now. So far, up to now, my experiences with American Home Shield's service have been excellent. I always get results. I haven’t had any problem or issues, and usually, the person that they tell me that’s gonna be coming here are very good and polite, and they fix everything right away.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We filed a claim online with American Home Shield because our garbage disposal in our kitchen sink wasn’t working. Their website was simple and user-friendly, and AHS sent out a contractor within a week. The garbage disposal has been wonderful since then. AHS is a little pricey but it 's valuable. Our overall satisfaction wit their service has been good.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We've had some not so successful claims that were submitted to American Home Shield. We're fairly new to our home and there were quite a few pre-existing items. But the claim today went exceptionally well. We just had to wait as soon as we could get a schedule. Our garbage disposal was out for almost a week but they came when they said they were coming. They were very professional and it went well. I would recommend American Home Shield.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

When R & R Allstar Electric came out to service a fan, they took a part off and hooked it up so we could use it via light switch, and that part was fine. But then they said they had to order a part and it took almost a month. Every time I called, they said the part hadn't been ordered. Then once the part had been ordered, I told them to call me when it comes in but I did not hear anything. So I called then they sent someone out. But the gentleman indicated that he just had to go pick up the part at the store. They never ordered the part like they had told me and were dragging me out for a whole month. They lied to me and not just once, but every time I called to ask concerning the part. Why couldn't they be upfront and say they could just send a guy to Home Depot or Lowe's to pick up the part?

Also, R & R serviced the fan once and then wanted $140 to put the part back on it. They said they couldn't work on the fan because it was on my lanai and it wasn't covered under my plan with American Home Shield. The guy who was here called American Home Shield to verify if the fan was covered and the person there said it wasn't. Apparently, the first guy didn't tell American Home Shield that it was a lanai fan. When he was here, he went out to his truck and called American Home Shield to make sure the part was covered. When he came in, he suggested it was. But only inside fans are covered. The first person who authorized the work must have assumed it was an inside fan. So it was partly R & R's fault. It was a fiasco.

We got American Home Shield on the phone and I explained to them how very upset I was. I had read what comments people had said previously about R & R and I don't understand why American Home Shield is still using them. My recommendation for American Home Shield is to find another electrical company because this company was horrible to work with. We were not happy with them at all. R & R had terrible service but Total Air Care, on the other hand, was an awesome company.

The draining system was clogged up and the AC was leaking water. So I filed a claim with American Home Shield online, which was easy. Then Total Air Care came out in two days. They called ahead of time saying they would be here within the next 20 minutes to half an hour and they were here on time. The technician was also able to solve the problem and take care of it. It had not worked when he was trying the first time. But I liked that he didn't give up. He kept working at it and the third time was a lucky charm. The company had great service and were excellent.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Both of the contractors that American Home Shield has referred to me were excellent. The two times I've called AHS, they were very responsive. The first contractor I had needed to replace the pump on my washing machine. The tech who came out was wonderful and gave excellent customer service. They charged me $108 total.

Another time, my garage door thing wasn't working. I thought it was broken. But then, my daughter who's electronically gifted actually got it working. So, I told the contractor sent by AHS that my door was working again and I haven't been having any trouble with it. Still, they were ready to come out and take care of things. They went ahead and cancelled the appointment for me. I've had AHS since January. Before that, I ended up having to replace an expensive water heater and also dealt with a problem with my dryer. It was only then that I decided to get a warranty. How I wish I could have gotten AHS years ago.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I submitted the AC claim with American Home Shield online and it was very easy. I did it in the evening and I heard back from the shop the next morning. They also came on time and the technician may have had the parts with him. He fixed the issue within 15 minutes. Before he came, the fan had been blowing but there was no cold air coming out. But since the repair, it's been working great. The contractor was very professional and knowledgeable as well. They were great and I would recommend American Home Shield.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I've had American Home Shield since 2000 and I have three houses that have AHS. When something goes wrong, like when my air conditioner didn't work and was not blowing cold air, I call them and they send somebody out. But they couldn't fix something at the California house and we had to have people come a second time. Apart from that, I always recommend AHS and in fact, I told a friend of mine who messaged me on Instagram asking for the name of the company that we use.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

There were some moments in the day, that were relatively often, where parts of our breaker seemed to switch randomly. And there was no apparent cause. I don't think we were overloading in lines. I went online and once I figured out exactly what category I needed to file the claim under, it was straightforward. Scheduling was also very flexible. We scheduled the service for a couple of days after and when Southeast Electrical Contractors came out, the service was good. The technician seemed knowledgeable of what was going on and he was able to replace something for us. So far, the issue hasn't come up again. So it's been a great experience with American Home Shield overall.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I submitted a claim online to AHS because I had two outlets that were not working. It was easy to navigate their website and the contractor was out the next day. Since the repair, it’s been great.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

The AC unit off the first floor wasn't cooling and I made a claim for it over the phone. That part was fine since I've used American Home Shield a number of times before. However, it took multiple calls and contractors to get my problem resolved. When the first company called me to set up a time, they wouldn't give a window. They claimed that the kind of call they got from American Home Shield was a rush. They wanted to give me an all-day-long appointment and I told them that wasn't gonna work for me. The lady got very defensive and her tone of voice wasn't pleasant at all. Subsequently, American Home Shield said that that was not the way it was supposed to be, so they ended up setting me up with a second company. The second company gave me a four-hour window and they showed up within that time. They were very professional and they fixed the problem.

American Home Shield's prices are competitive and they have a wealth of contractors that they use. However, every time that it's time to renew, my premium goes up with no warning to me. They should let the consumer know ahead of time that it's going to be the case so that if I choose to go somewhere else, I could do that. Overall I've been a customer for seven years and I would definitely recommend them, which I have to a number of people over the years.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

My experience with American Home Shield has gone very smooth. I’ve had three items of need and I simply filed online. I was then contacted within 24 or 48 hours and AHS assigned someone to take care of the task, and I paid the task fee. The most recent claim was an air conditioning element that went out and it was resolved yesterday. It has taken a while because it was more complicated than originally construed. I had a telephone call from one AHS' personnel a week ago confirming what would be covered on the air conditioner repair, what wouldn’t be covered, and what my financial obligation would be. Getting the parts in took a little longer than we anticipated and it could be relative to the weather in other parts of the US . We had two days out of air conditioning.

The air conditioning team that was assigned to handle the task resolved the problem. Once their parts came in, they came out and they started the repair and were finished in about three hours. The financial obligation was specific and detailed and it was exactly what was prescribed by the individual call from American Home Shield a week ago. I told my wife that I anticipated it would be higher because there will be complications, but there was none. It was very matter-of-fact and well done. I specifically liked that air conditioning group and I would like to use them specifically because they knew what they were doing and they were very clear. We had an initial problem where the air conditioning went out and it was because of the thermostat. It failed for some reason and was not operating, but they resolved that.

It wasn’t a real overdone thing, but it turned out that once the system started operating from there, and it may have been the case even when the evaporator coil is cold or frozen over which could be true, there was a leak which called a replacement of some other equipment. That leak could not be resolved where you couldn’t just patch it or anything else, and that’s what took the week to have it repaired. However, it was terrific and delightful. The team that AHS sent was really not intrusive at all. They came out and went right to work and resolved the problem, so I was impressed. The tech came back with the repair yesterday and he led the team of four guys. In no time at all, the system was re-invigorated and it has been working properly since then. We are very pleased.

Having sold a home about five months ago and selling another home that I owned in another location where I had lived before, we decided to get a home warranty on it and we got American Home Shield. The people who had the house I’m living in now, which we bought from them a year and a half ago, purchased a home warranty for the house for us before we purchased the house. That was a plus. I told my daughter that she has been in her house for about five years and she needs to have a contractor for the little things like garbage disposals.

In our case, it was a disposal that jammed once and we had a problem on the faucet and it started spewing them. It was a very modern type faucet but apparently, the line developed a leak and it was throwing water everywhere inside the cabinet. We resolved that with AHS and the techs came out. I told my daughter that that we need to get an American Home Shield contractor in her house, too. It made perfect sense and it gives peace of mind.

I don’t mind paying for the service at all and I don’t mind paying the monthly fee. If we have a problem, we pay the task fee. What I like too is the convenience of being able to do it online. Even with the air conditioning, it was the same way. It was initiated online, continued, and they checked with us. Our experience with AHS has been perfect and we are very comfortable with the price and with how everything worked. What I really liked was that when we had a financial obligation beyond the task fee, the organization was able to tell me, “Here’s what we’re covering. Here’s what your obligation is, just so you’re ready." I was delighted the rep told me that and we knew what to anticipate.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

When my garbage disposal was leaking, I filed a claim with American Home Shield online and I got instant follow-up. Someone contacted me and made the appointment then Ability Access Plumbing & Rooter was out there the next day. The guy looked at the garbage disposal, went out, got his new garbage disposal and put it in. He was done in 10 minutes. The unit's working fine now and I've recommended several people to American Home Shield.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Our air conditioner wasn't cooling and it happened on the weekend. I didn't call American Home Shield until Monday and yet the technicians were out Monday afternoon. They were very nice, courteous and professional. They came before I had to go to work and they weren't here for 30 minutes. It was very good and fast. Overall, it was a great experience.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

On 06/2018 I requested A/C repair. To be noted that I live in S. Florida where during the summer there are over 100 degrees feel like temps. AHS assigned a local company, AAA All Brands Appliances LLC to the repair. The company was unprofessional and took weeks of no show and no work resolution to provide a diagnosis.

A part needed to be ordered and it wasn't until the mid-end of July that AHS reported that the part was still not available, all this while enduring indoor temperature of 85 degrees with over 85% humidity. To remedy the problem AHS agreed to repay me partial reimbursement totaling $100.00 for the purchase of a portable A/C unit, until the repair could be accomplished. (Could not cash the check until final resolution, as the memo listed "in lieu of repair".)

During the two month ordeal, I spent hours on hold on the phone with multiple operators, never allowed to speak with a manager (after request) and opted for a miserable cash out option of $661.00 for a repair that cost me $1,900.00 out of pocket and almost three months of horrid summer temperatures without A/C. I WILL NOT be renewing the contract with AHS.

Good morning Graciela,

I understand your frustration with your most recent experience to have your central AC system repaired. I would be glad to speak with you regarding the CIL offer that was accepted and the non covered cost.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Very dissatisfied with the service and very dissatisfied with your vendor. I am having central air conditioning problems where the home is not cooling. Initial phone call to AHS I held on line for over 30 min. They dispatched a company and it took 2 days for them to come out. The tech looked at the unit and said easy fix, within 2 hr the unit was not cooling again. Called the company back at 4:45 pm and they were already closed. I attempted to reach AHS and held again for over 30 min again. I was told they will get the AC company back out, but another service charge would apply, which is crazy since they did not fix the issue. The AC company called the next morning, Thursday but could not come out till Friday.

On Friday morning the tech came out and said, "Your meter device is not working. Will order part and try to be back Monday or Tuesday." The tech indicated that the unit may keep cool, but will run constantly, and if it runs 24/7 my electric bill will be extremely high. So here I sit on a Saturday in Florida 95 outside and 85 in my house with the AC conditioning running. The tech did not even call to see if he could get a part right away and gave no definite answer as to when he will return. This AC company is not a small shop. They are a big company in the area, hard to believe he could not obtain the part that day or the next day. Their advertisement indicates they work 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. I am a real estate agent and I am not sure I will recommend this warranty company to my clients anymore. Sincerely, HOT and dissatisfied customer.

Good morning C Lopez,

I understand your frustration with your most recent experience to have your central AC system repaired. I would be glad to speak with you and help get the issues resolved.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Just had a terrible experience with American Home Shield trying to get a claim processed on an emergency basis for A/C being out in Tucson, AZ with a high of 105 today. They told us it would be 24-48 hrs. We explained the issue of the heat over the next 2 days and the health and safety concerns of those living there and asked to expedite the request or allow us to get another company. Instead, they argued “our forecast says it’s only going to be 102 today.” And asked what our health issues are? When I said if they are concerned over a 3 degree difference, I can send them a screenshot of the forecast we’re looking at but that that is most certainly not the point.

All we’re asking is if given the extenuating circumstances of the heat, if they can help offer solutions to try to expedite a contractor getting out here. After going back and forth challenging me on the weather and our HEALTH, they simply said “no we can’t expedite this.” Completely unprofessional, disrespectful, and totally useless policy. We have RARELY needed to use this in the 6-7 years we’ve had this policy and the time we do and we need it most, they respond this way. We are canceling ASAP due to the lack of getting our money’s worth and the truly despicable customer service.

Good morning Laura

I most certainly understand your frustration with your service experience to have your AC repaired during the high temperatures. I would be glad to speak with you and get the issues repaired.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I contacted American Home Shield to submit a claim about my a/c not working. After waiting 45 mins and having a rep answer then “allegedly” the call dropped and calling back to wait 41 mins. Finally spoke to someone to submit a claim on work that was performed on a Monday and still having the same issue Friday. The rep tells me there’s nothing that can be done until Monday. Not only did I wait a month for them to service the unit with their vendor Total Air Care, but once it was finally done, it went bad again. My house is 93 degrees inside with a severe asthmatic mother and pets, the response of you have to wait until Monday is unacceptable. There was no empathy or sense of urgency. I advise to run and find another provider that cares about their customers and understands the severity of having no a/c.

Good morning Alfredo,

I understand your concerns with the weekend delay to have your air conditioner serviced again with the health conditions at risk. I would be glad to speak with you and get the repairs completed under the recall.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

What is most Americans' biggest investment? Their homes. So, when we (homeowners) purchase a product like a home warranty we look for protection of our investment. My home warranty was included when I purchased my home. The home is new to me, but overall it is 14 years old. We (homeowners) are looking for protection with the home warranty, there is trust involved here, between us (the homeowner) and AHS.

This being said, my water heater is dying. I placed the request to have my water heater checked on AHS.com. Within minutes I received a text telling me that a plumber had been assigned and they would contact me shortly. This was 9 PM on a Thursday. At 9 AM on Friday I had not heard from the plumber so I started making calls. After two calls I spoke to the assigned plumber, their next appointment was on Tuesday... but my water heater might be dead on Friday... no hot water Friday to Tuesday, five days?

Also, the water heater is leaking and I can see it on the drywall, mold, water damage? The plumber called AHS to see if an emergency plumber could come out on Friday. Great! Another plumber came and within five minutes of arriving declared that my water heater is indeed dying, it is leaking out the bottom. I will have to wait through the weekend but, sometime in the coming week my water heater will get replaced? Maybe?

Here is the problem. This is the biggest investment of my life... my home. Yet when my home is having a "heart attack" AHS is telling me to relax, "we'll get to you in a week or two, maybe." Communication is not the best with the home warranty. I called AHS three hours after my appointment with the plumber was completed. I told the representative the history. She then told me that the plumber has "24 BUSINESS hours" to input the information that my water heater is dead. How hard is it to enter that information? "Water heater leaking all over the place."

Again you're having a heart attack and the doctor tells you that they have "24 BUSINESS hours" to enter the information in the computer and that is just the admin, the actual treatment of the heart attack follows sometime later, no time or date set. A bit frustrating. And as other reviewers have noted, we have jobs not like we are sitting around just waiting for the plumber to arrive. As of tonight, my water heater is dying. The plumber acknowledged this, but AHS is saying the information has not been input into the system. There currently is no timeline to replace the water heater. Yet, this is a homeowner emergency.

So, AHS, this is your notification. I have the money to pay for a plumber to install a water heater. If I lose hot water at my home, I am going to pay to have a hot water heater installed. I will then promptly cancel my policy with your company, I am tired of paying $75 for a service call to get slow service. I am not going to be held hostage to your "24 - BUSINESS - hour" policy. When I call a plumber, I expect to be treated like a valued customer. I expect prompt service for my prompt payment ($75, plus the upfront payment for the home warranty). Please prove me wrong. I will gladly update this review when I am taking hot showers and there isn't water leaking from my water heater.

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service. A social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We purchased a house that has the original washer and dryer (from early 1990s). Over the past 3 years the washer has had at least 2 breakdowns a year. Each breakdown has resulted in several weeks of having to hand wash our clothes while AHS brings in a contractor who then comes and has to wait for parts and then finally returns to actually fix the problem. For a family with young kids, not having a working washer that frequently (with both parents working) has been extremely inconveniencing. Plus it’s particularly tough on one's job to keep taking days off work to wait for “4 to 6 hour” windows for a technician and then repeat all over again.

I am disappointed that AHS has constantly refused to replace the washer. It would make more financial sense if they add the cost of the multiple repairs. On our end, having AHS has not made financial sense. When we calculated having to pay $75 copay for each repair, the cost of AHS subscription and cost of the multiple times away from work we realized we could have used our money to get a new washer and saved ourselves the consistent inconvenience and lost wages from work. I would not recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have a mainline backup in my home. It's causing my basement toilet to back up into my basement shower. I submitted a request to AMERICAN HOME SHIELD specifically for a STOPPAGE. The technician shows up to my home & within 10 minutes he tells me that the main line needs to be snaked out. He then tells me he has no snake on his band to perform the service & that he has to get authorization to do it. This was at 11:30 AM on Friday September 14th. It is now 9:30 PM, I've had the $100 deductible taken out of my account, when I go online to see the status of my request, it says CLOSED.

I call AHS for an explanation, they tell me that I have to wait until they get in touch with the contractor, who (I might add) I spoke to his office earlier today & they told me that they were waiting for the tech to submit his findings. Meanwhile, I'm currently awaiting in a plumber to snake the main line in my home because no cannot use ANY of the sinks or toilets without flooding out my basement. I'm out of my $100 deductible & I still have not heard from AHS or the contractor. I will be cancelling my service contract effective immediately & I will see AHS in a court of law if they attempt to come after me for breach of contract. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY!

Good morning Kwame

I understand your frustration with the delay in service you experienced and the service fee that was paid for the diagnosis. I would be glad to speak with you and address every issue that occurred.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

This morning a pipe in my ceiling leaked. Had to turn off water to the home. Called American Home Shield. On hold for 30 min, they assigned a plumber who later called and said he cannot come out for 3 days. Called AHS again, on hold 30 min, was told if they could not find a plumber by end of the day to call back. I called back. Was hung up on twice. Called again, on hold 45 min. Gave up. Canceled Call. They are great at taking my money, but when it comes time to get the service I pay for, they treated me like crap. They did not hold up their end of our contract so I will be speaking to an attorney. Here I sit with no water still. Please do not waste your money on this company. I am so disappointed!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We couldn't get our jacuzzi to work and we filed a claim over the phone. Two gentlemen came out, checked everything out and they were very pleasant. The problem was an operator error and I never had a jacuzzi before, so I learned a lesson. We've told others to check into Home Shield and see if it works for them, but it is a bit pricey, so a lot of people we've talked to don't think it's worth it. However, we've had very good luck with AHS.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Recently, I had an issue with the AC. I came back from a vacation and it wasn't working. Submitting a claim to AHS was easy. We called them and when I spoke with their rep, everything was pretty quick and to the point. We had an issue with timing and dates and they did everything to push it forward, and get us back up when we needed it. When the contractors came, they checked everything and knew exactly what the issue was. They replaced the fuse and they were gone in less than five minutes. Renewing with AHS was simple as well. I told them that I wanted to renew and they renewed it, and then they sent me my bill. I have already recommended American Home Shield.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I had a clogged drain and I called American Home Shield. They took my credit card, charged me $75 after it was over, and they sent a good plumber. He was very professional and he also asked if there was any additional problems. I mentioned one other very small problem with the outside faucet and he fixed it immediately. It took about 30 seconds for him to fix it which was disturbing to me because I’m not a plumber. But in any case, I was very impressed with him. Everything has been dandy since he came out.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I submitted a claim for the air conditioner over the phone to AHS. Submitting the claim went very well and they were very good at quickly sending a contractor out. However, the first contractor I had was horrible. I called them back and told them I didn't wanna work with this person. AHS listened to the problem that I had. They didn't try to convince me to stay with the person when I was unhappy with him. They got me another contractor and had him out here very quickly.

Good morning Eric,

Your feedback regarding your most recent American Home Shield experience is greatly appreciated. I am pleased to hear that we were able to send out another technician and service you in such a timely manner.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

An AC technician came out when our AC unit was down, but he couldn’t make the repair. The contractors that American Home Shield send out are normally very good. But this guy told us that he never seen a thermostat like ours. We have an older system and thermostat, and he had to call in another guy. He told my wife that they didn't know how to replace our thermostat and that we may have to rewire the whole thing which would cost us thousands of dollars. It was ridiculous.

American Home Shield had to send another company out a couple of days later. The second contractor told us that it was a simple job with replacing a thermostat, but we had to wait for a couple of days for the repair to get fixed. It only took him 45 minutes to finish the whole job. We paid online a $75 service charge and I didn’t know my wife had done that. I also paid the tech who came up the second time. But I kept getting emails from American Home Shield saying that my contract was gonna be suspended for not paying the service, which I had done twice already. At that point, I gave up.

I kept asking them to make sure my service doesn’t get interrupted and I had called at least three times because I kept getting these emails saying that I had an outstanding balance of $75. So, that was very frustrating. Also, they put me on hold a lot of times. I just wanted some kind of confirmation from whoever I was speaking to. I told them that they could send me an email stating that I have paid my bill and to disregard the emails that were coming. But I never got that. I'm usually very happy with American Home Shield but the last experience we had was a little difficult.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I made a claim online for my garbage disposal and the process was simple. AHS was very fast and the contractors were great. It took 15 minutes tops for the contractors to do what they needed to do and go out the door.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I heard a noise in my air conditioner and something wasn’t right, so I sent a claim to American Home Shield. The technician showed up a couple of days later. He identified the issue and repaired it. The guy wasn't instrusive and he did a great job. The only thing I don’t like about American Home Shield is the way the payment process itself. I don't mind paying 75 bucks to AHS, but their payment options are either pay it right after submitting the claim or they will take it out of the account after the contractor was done. I personally don’t like anybody going in my account to take my money out. I would rather write a check or pay with my credit card on my own. So I don’t like that AHS only gives those two options and both entail them going into my account and taking money out.

American Home Shield expert review by Michele Lerner

American Home Shield (AHS) was founded in 1971 and is part of the ServiceMaster family of companies. AHS provides warranty coverage to 1.7 million customers across the United States, and the company has paid out $2 billion in home warranty claims since 2013. The company offers customizable plans to meet most consumers’ needs and budgets.

• High coverage limits: AHS covers up to $3000 in repair or replacement costs for many covered appliances and the company will spend up to $250 to obtain needed permits or to correct code violations.

• Choice of plans: Customers can choose to cover just their systems or appliances or save money with a combination policy; completely customized warranty programs are also available.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week; service requests are typically filled within 48 hours.

• Service fees: Consumers choose between policies with a $75, $100 or $125 service fee. Warranties with lower service fees will have higher premiums, so customers can select the plan that works best for their budget.

• Service providers: AHS works with over 14,000 local contractors to make service repairs. The company monitors consumers’ reviews of contractors to ensure AHS warranty holders only work with qualified service providers.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Home Shield Company Information