3.74/5
Based on 2,819 ratings submitted in the last year
Show rating distribution

American Home Shield

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. Together, with our wholly owned subsidiary, we service nearly 1.5 million customers across all 50 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (3)

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 16, 2017

17873 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

We recently submitted a claim with American Home Shield for an appliance service. It was easy to do it online but trying to contact them on the phone was extremely difficult. And I was on the phone for a combined two hours. So, it would be great if they’d improve the phone service and an option to chat online would be better. The contractor gave a very positive service, and he was prompt, friendly and extremely professional. He even put on booties when he walked inside. The items have worked fine since the repair.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Our washing machine was not draining well, so we asked for a repair from AHS. It took two weeks for the technician to find time to come and diagnose the problem, and another two weeks for them to get the part prior to coming here to fix the machine. I was not satisfied with the time it took for the machine to be repaired -- from the moment I submitted the claim to the time where I could use the washer again. I have children, so being without a washer for an entire month was a lot. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with the service. The technician was very polite, very knowledgeable and efficient. We knew ahead of time what the timeline was since he said that the part that malfunctioned will be ordered and it will have to come from California, so it will take a while. When the part came, he fixed the problem within 30 minutes. So, he was fast and clean as well.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I had an AC problem which had something to do with the tube. I submitted a claim with American Home Shield online then I called to confirm to make sure I did it right. Both of my experiences online and over the phone were good. The guys they referred came, they were in and out in an hour and a half and were courteous. It took six days for the contractor to come from when I filed the claim, but it was hot and I had AC friends that couldn't make it, so I understand the time and need that it was handled long.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

AHS is not customer friendly. I opened a service request and they closed it without notice and charged the service fee. After calling them they said the case is with the authorization department and it's been a week it is sitting there. Looks like AHS wants the money and not do any service. They are delaying the authorization so that the consumer just forgets about it.

Srikanth,

As one of our valued American Home Shield customers, we hate to hear you have experienced a lack of follow-up regarding your request to be resolved. We want to help! Please look forward to a follow-up call from a social media representative regarding your concern. We appreciate your patience!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I had an oven and a stovetop that wasn't working and submitting a claim with American Home Shield was easy. I did it online and it was user-friendly. However, the contractor that they sent took a lot of time. We scheduled a time, and when I tried to reschedule it, he told me he couldn't come that time. And then he didn’t even bother to call me back to let me know when he could come the next time. I had to call him back instead of him calling me. It took almost a whole month to finally get him to come. His work was quick and everything’s working great now, however, AHS should get better contractor service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

It's not been a good experience with American Home Shield. I submitted a claim for my AC over the phone and it was horrible. I waited three hours to speak with somebody. My mother has American Home Shield too and it's the same thing for her. I don't submit claims online because I need to talk to a live person to see what's covered and what's not, which you can't find out online. You need to speak to someone to make sure you're going about everything the correct way.

Also, when some of the vendors came out before, it was a little confusing. Sometimes they collect the payment and sometimes they say American Home Shield will collect the payment. I've never experienced that before. Prior to the last three months, I would always give it to the vendor. I had an issue with that because I gave a payment to the vendor for something in the past, and American Home Shield kept emailing me and calling me saying that I owed them the $75, when the $75 was paid to the vendor. AHS kept saying that I was delinquent. I kept getting calls and I kept having to call back in saying that I wasn't. I gave them the check number and told them the check had cleared. It kept going back and forth until they finally straightened it out.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Called about early afternoon on Wednesday. Hot water heater problem water all over garage. Thursday nothing. Friday at 5 o’clock they send a plumber out. Says, "You need new hot water heater!" Did he bring one. No not all. He will be back Tuesday or Wednesday. I had knee surgery recently and have chronic pain. I had to go Wednesday night, Thursday and Friday to health club to take a shower. Now they want you to wait four more days. I had to heat water up in microwave to wash dishes. Of course I can’t use dishwasher. Our house is just ten years old. And the Am/Pm plumbing day they need make modifications. I paid $100 service fee. They want $389 to install. Home Depot does everything for $399. So American Home Shield apparently doesn’t pay any amount to installed the hot water heater.

My last hot water heater Old republic I paid service fee and $50. Not sure what wasn’t covered. We have flexible wire but Am/pm requires they need all new. First thing someone should be sent out for five minutes Thursday to look at the problem and hot water heater should be in a truck. Waiting seven days for water heater is ridiculous. I am very upset with American Home Shield warranty. I don’t want Am/pm plumbing to come for service. Why pay for a warranty if you get ripped off with extra fees. Plus who wants wait a week to get hot water. Waiting 80 minutes then they hang up on you. I waited 30 minutes to 45 minutes already the other day. The home warranty may be good for some things but if they send out a company who wants additional fees what choice do you have???

Bruce,

Although your warranty has some helpful coverage benefits, it may include some restrictions as well. It appears we are currently working to help resolve this matter for you. A social media specialist from American Home Shield will follow-up with you directly regarding your concern. We appreciate your patience to take care of you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Over the years, the furnace has been the big issue with me. It was next to impossible to have it replaced and I was told this by several contractors. American Home Shield wanted to have it repaired again and again, even though the contractor recommended that it needed to be replaced. I also heard from the contractors that AHS doesn't necessarily replace a unit with what was recommended by the contractor. So, I did not use AHS to replace my furnace because they wanted it to be repaired again even though it had gone on fire.

My last claim with AHS had to do with the faucet in my tub. But they were trying to automate the process of claim submission and I didn't like that. I'd rather speak to a person than be directed by an automated system. The last few times I called, I pressed the button so that I could get to a human. The reps have always been very nice and not once in all the years that I've been with AHS has there been a rep that I didn't like. All my interactions with the contractors have been good, too, and the items were fine and worked beautifully after the repair. On another note, I also don't like the new feature where customers have to pay upfront and give credit card information prior to the service being performed.

Apart from these issues, they've always done what they said they could do. I like AHS except that I had to have the furnace replaced and I paid for that out-of-pocket. In addition, they charge almost $800 a year now, plus there's a $100 service fee that has to be paid each time. I've been a customer of AHS for four consecutive years, but at this point it might not be in my best interest to renew with them for the following year.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

American Home Shield provides good service. I filed a claim with them over the phone for water backing out in the basement. There was a root getting in the way of the main drain. I let the rep know what the issue was and then I got a call the next day to confirm. There was also an automated voicemail from the local contractor and another confirmation that came later that day.

The contractors were professional. I got a call half an hour ahead of time to let us know that they're coming. They seemed to know what they were doing and it took them less than an hour to fix the problem. They sent the snake down that main drain and get that cleared out, then ran a ton of water to make sure that the water won't get back up again. They did a good job. It was also brought to our attention that the area that was treated was not in the backyard, so we were given a quote in case there might be an issue in the future. And then I paid $70 deductible. However, I have noticed recently that the water is starting to back up again, though not as bad as it was before. I might be calling up again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Once they have you under contract they forget you. Terrible service: Expect to spend over an hour on hold waiting to speak to one of their employees. I called six times on the most recent service call. Four times went over an hour on hold BEFORE they answered; the other two went over 30 minutes each. Then expect to talk with someone with all the interest and helpfulness as Eeyore. AHS couldn't schedule anyone to come to my house for two weeks, 8 work days. Then the contractor failed to show. No one called, no one came... Another couple of calls waiting on hold for over an hour waiting to talk to someone on each call. One of the AHS employees said that they would waive the $75 fee because of all issues/failures in repairing my washing machine, which AHS DID NOT waive. In all it was about a month before they repaired my washing machine.

Floyd,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention at American Home Shield. We hate to hear that your overall customer experience was less than satisfactory. We would appreciate the opportunity to help you! A social media specialist will follow-up with you directly to further assist soon. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

These people are never available to answer your call when you want to cancel services. They have developed this method to have you waiting on line for a long time where one would get frustrated and stop calling so that they can keep on billing you. Trust me I will make sure this gets addressed. Horrible dishonest company. The vendor was paid and I was still billed. What they are doing is not only illegal it's immoral.

Muhammad,

Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your overall customer experience. A social media specialist from American Home Shield will be in contact with you soon to further assist. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The seller of the house I bought had American Home Shield on it. I filed a claim for my dryer and everybody was great. The contractor who came out and fixed the unit was excellent. Everything's good and I’ll renew my contract with them for next year.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

My laundry light and switch were defective and had to be replaced. The claim to American Home Shield was submitted over the phone and their claims agent was courteous and patient. Two guys came and diagnosed the problem. They explained as they went along which I found to be good. Part of their service also was to give a diagnosis if they see anything else that is not part of the call. It was fantastic. I need that light in the laundry room and the parts are working now after the repair.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I submitted a claim with American Home Shield for a refrigerator which wasn't working anymore. I have moved it out of the kitchen because I've got two little kids and I had another fridge that I put in there. They denied my claim because the fridge wasn't in the kitchen physically, even though it was the fridge that I bought with the house which I showed them on pictures. I was frustrated about that. So I had to move everything around, put the fridge back in the kitchen to get the claim done.

The guy who came out was awesome. He said that the thing's clearly shot and the fix was going to be a lot more than it's worth. It was a GE Profile fridge and then they came back to replace it but offered to buy something a lot cheaper, not the type of fridge I had. So I went out and bought something on my own and they reimbursed me for part of it. I'm not going to use AHS again because I was in here thinking they'd cover the same type of product and they just said, "Hey, it's got just the same cubic feet so that's good enough for us." The cheapest GE Profile I could find was almost double what they offered to pay. Except for this price thing, the service was as expected and it didn't take too long, so it wasn't bad.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I've been with American Home Shield for over 3 years. My ceiling fan speed controller stopped working over the summer and I called American Home Shield, they sent a electrician the next day to replace the controller. I'm very happy how professionally the service request was handled by both American Home Shield and the electrician. Definitely recommend this company to everyone.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We recently cancelled our service contract with American Home Shield after a series of disappointing experiences. Our primary issue with this company is the incredibly poor customer service received. Over the course of the contract we always found that we had to wait on hold for over an hour to speak with a customer service agent. We recently called about an existing service request and again discovered that the wait time was over an hour.

We hung up and this time selected the option to purchase a new plan and the wait time was less than a minute. Why don't they provide that same level of response to existing customers? You can of course go online and request service and pay the service call fee but you cannot go online and contact customer service or cancel a request. There are no forms to contact them, no email address and no online chat options that we could find. If you need to contact customer service for some reason it's a wait time of over an hour and it's always the same delay - it was not an isolated experience.

After submitting the request for a plumber online for a service that was covered we received a prompt response from the company with the name of the company that was selected. Too bad the scheduled appointment by the plumber was SEVEN days later to fix a leak in the bathroom shut off valve and toilet. We would have shut off the valve to the toilet to stop that leak but that was also not working so we had a continuous leak that could not be stopped.

Because of the delay in response by the plumber and the continuous leak we tried to replace the float valve and cracked by accident cracked the porcelain toilet so American Home Warranty denied the claim because it was not normal wear and tear. If the plumber they selected would have been able to take a look at the leak within 24 hours of it being reported this would not have been an issue. When we tried to discuss this with American Home Warranty they stood by their decision so we stand by ours and cancelled the service agreement.

I'm not sure why a company owned by ServiceMaster has provided this level of service but it certainly was not expected and it has been a total disappointment. We trusted them and in the end that was a mistake. If you are thinking about a home warranty with any company read the entire contract first including the limitations and caps on what the company will pay and under what conditions and take a look at the methods available to contact customer service. We strongly suggest that you test them before you purchase a service agreement.

Gary,

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention at American Home Shield. We hate to hear that your overall customer experience was less than satisfactory. We would appreciate the opportunity to see how can we help you! A social media specialist will follow-up with you directly to further assist soon. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I called AHS on October 10th to change the pay date on my account. I spoke with the first representative after holding about 20 minutes and she informed me that I reached the wrong department to make the update. She then transferred me to AHS consumer sales dept and waited maybe 5 10 minutes and he informed me I was also transferred to the wrong department and he transferred me to Accounting and told me to request to be filled out the Manual Adjustment Form to change my service date from the 10th to the 15th of each month. I have been holding over an hour waiting on assistance which is ridiculous. I like to request that your customer service representatives be informed to send customers to the right department from the start and not be transferred to multiple departments to get something done. I do not have a lot of time to hold on the phone because I have a job too.

Delissa,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your concerns. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your overall experience. A social media specialist will follow-up with you as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I have a stove top that was denied coverage because I had another warranty on the unit. The warranty I had was free with purchase and covered only parts. I have tried to call AHS 4 times. My hold time is always over an hour. Once I was connected, I have been disconnected 3 times. I can't talk to a person to appeal my situation. Their interface on the web offers no "contact us" other than the phone number that disconnects me over and over again. When I do get disconnected, no-one calls me back. I called at 6:30am PST and still have to wait for an operator. Clearly, they have no concern for their customer's time. I have been a member of AHS for 10 plus years. I have to find another company. They are terrible. If you have trouble and need to discuss your situation, you will not succeed. They want to make it as difficult as possible to get the coverage you've paid for. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THIS COMPANY.

Margaret,

Thank you for addressing your concern with us. It appears we are currently working on your cooktop request to be resolved. We would love to speak with you in detail regarding your overall customer experience. Please look forward to a follow-up call so that we may assist you further. We, at American Home Shield, thank you for your patience.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I needed a recall for my air conditioner fan and it was a bad time as I was calling because it was hurricane Irma. They had everybody in Houston and Florida calling, so I had to wait. First, they told me 10 minutes but I waited an hour and a half. I just finally hung up and tried again. I called early in the morning and they picked right up. They put the claim right through saying they were going to put a recall in to have the contractor come back. Then, the contractor called me and said they were coming out but then we got a storm up this way so they cancelled. They came out again on a Friday and took care of the problem. They didn't get it right the first time but they came and got it straight the next time. It was a pretty good experience.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had the same air conditioner that was not working earlier and I had someone come out for that. It was in the middle of summer when it was over a hundred degrees here but it took American Home Shield weeks to get it fixed. I called and I told them that it was very unreasonable as we didn't have air conditioning upstairs in our house for three weeks. And it was because they contracted a place sort of like Oklahoma City and they couldn't come back. Somebody ordered the wrong things then they got shipped to the wrong place.

The air conditioner finally got fixed but I had problems with it again. I waited on hold for an hour and twenty minutes and started to talk to somebody because I didn’t want the same place to come out because it had taken them so long to fix it last time. I asked AHS to find somewhere more local that can come out faster. But somehow I got hung up on. The rep had just confirmed my phone number with me but she never called back after knowing that I had been on hold that long. I waited on hold for another almost two hours the next time. I talked to the lady and told her how unhappy I was with the last time and how it took so long to have someone come out.

When I gave my request to find a local contractor, she said she they were going to put in their system something about getting a different company out. But I got the call that the same company that fixed it last time was coming out again. I gave up because I just spent three and a half hours on hold and I wasn't going to call them again. I was really mad that I waited that long and they know how long their hold times are. But the contractor finally came out and it didn’t take as long that time. I finally got things fixed.

I've had American Home Shield for four months in this house but I've had them for a really long time at a different house. But I'm not really happy with them. They've changed all kinds of policies. I used to be able to call up and talk to a real person and I never was on hold for as long as I have been this last time. They also make you pay for a service call before the contractor even comes out and the service calls are not that cheap. AHS switched their policies where they took payment over the phone for something that they didn’t even know if I was going to have to pay. If I disputed the service, was I going to wait on hold for three hours to try to get money back if I didn’t think that I should have owed it. If AHS wants me to keep this next year, I don't know why they would ever make it so difficult to talk to a person and why they don't really care when you do talk to them. It's been frustrating.

Peggy,

We appreciate your patience when attempting to reach customer service. At American Home Shield, you are more than welcome to request service online using a registered account, through our IVR system, or by online chat for even a customer service need. We would love to speak with you so please expect a follow-up call soon from a social media specialist. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My dishwasher wasn’t cleaning and I’ve had American Home Shield send someone out three times on different occasions for it within the past year. I had problems prior to that with the dishwasher and I had to pay $80 each visit so, it was frustrating. Finally, they replaced it because they couldn’t find the model number anywhere. It takes a long time for them to replace anything. It took three weeks from the time I first put an issue to getting it replaced. I liked my old dishwasher but I had to upgrade it to get a little better since what they were offering was not.

I’m not happy with American Home Shield and I’m thinking of switching. They give you a hard time in everything. Whenever you have to make a phone call, it is delegated to people that are not informative of what to do. They usually answer quickly, but the vendors that they use are people that are on the lower end of experience. They charge too much a year and there are other companies that are much better and less expensive than that. If it's $80 a month or $2,000 a year, every visit is also $80 when someone comes out.

A lot of times, when the vendors come out, it's something so minor that costs $15. It makes me second guess whether I should even contact them for certain issues or just do it on my own because I have to pay $80 on top of the monthly with the contract. For example, I had something wrong with my garbage disposal. I pay $80 monthly and I also paid $80 to the vendor of American Home Shield. It was five minutes that he was in here, and it was not a big issue. He didn’t have to repair anything. He just had to tighten up something. I spent $160 and it’s not cost-effective for me to continue with them. Someplace, they'd only charge $45 for a visit. It's been a disappointing experience.

Maria,

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

A month ago, our oven door started to become loose. It kept opening and closing and when you walked around the house, the light went on constantly. Submitting the claim with American Home Shield was easy and a tech came out to fix the oven three weeks ago. But after the repair, when I tried to open the door all the way down to take food out, the door came back up and almost hit me every single time. So, the tech came out again to fix the oven and he's ordering the parts for it right now. That service tech was awesome.

But we're having billing issues with the company. They've deleted our billing information twice. We called them and the information we gave them was no longer in their system. We had to call them every month to ask what was going on. But when we talked to reps who didn’t know what was going on and they looked at the notes in their system, they tried to decipher what the last person put on there and they constantly missed.

AHS double-charged us one month. Then last month, they said that we owed them payment and I asked them about the refund when they double-charged us. They said that they have refunded the excess charge, but they never did. Then they tried to charge us late fees because they said that we were not making payments, but I'm fighting them on this. Everything other than the billing issues was fine. The guys at Josh’s Appliance Repair who came out here and worked were great. The technician there was quick and he knew what he was doing. But this is the fourth time that we've had problems with billing and I’m extremely disappointed.

Steven,

We can imagine how frustrating it can be to call on numerous occasions for the exact same issue. We want to advise that your American Home Shield warranty does not charge late fees but still want to help resolve your concern. Please look forward to a follow-up call soon. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I did a claim with the plumbing and American Home Shield sent someone out here to fix it. I filed it online so it went really fast and I got an email confirmation. The contractor called me within hours after I submitted my request and they were very prompt. They were able to fix the problem in under an hour and they also recommended some other areas that I may want to look into in the future. I’ve been with American Home Shield for at least three and a half years and it's been a great experience with them. They provide great customer service.

Charlena,

We are so glad to hear your expectations with friendly service were met regarding your plumbing service request. American Home Shield takes pride in providing great customer service, especially in a timely manner. Thank you for addressing this with us, we do value you as one our customers!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Our basement was backing up and the drains were clogged. I was out of town for the weekend when the problem started and when I came home, there was water everywhere. I submitted a claim to American Home Shield over the phone but it was automated and I'd rather talk to a live person. But the contractor they sent was wonderful. He was pretty quick and efficient in making sure the job was done correctly so it would alleviate me from having to make any future calls. His work was perfect and since then, I don't have a back up in my basement anymore and I can do the laundry as I need to. We've had American Home Shield for a little less than a year and while I'm always happy when this contractor comes out, I would probably not continue using American Home Shield next year. My husband wasn't really pleased with them overall so he's looking at a few other options.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I called American Home Shield because of the drainage downstairs. The water was backing up. The reps were knowledgeable and professional but I didn't like the first company that AHS sent out here. The contractor was unprofessional to me. I got somebody else because it seemed like he didn't try to go around the schedule that my husband and I were here. It was all about him and his schedule. He had a nasty attitude. But the second one who came out was pretty good. I love that my washer is working now and I don't have to go back and forth trying to get the water out. I am just wondering how many claims can AHS do per year.

Yolanda,

Thank you for sharing your customer experience! As long as your contract continues to stay active and monthly premium payments are up to date, your service claims are unlimited! Great news, right? Thanks for being a valued customer as we look forward to servicing you again at American Home Shield!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

We love our little refrigerator, but it stopped cooling all of a sudden. The tech that American Home Shield sent out was very fast. He’s worked on several of our appliances before and he always does a great job. He came and fixed something but we didn’t feel like it was as cool as it should be. My husband put a little temperature thing in there and it wasn’t cooling very well. The tech nicely came back and he didn’t seem frustrated with us. He even got on the phone and talked to another one of his tech buddies to confirm the issue. That made me feel better too. He figured out that it was something, he gave us the options and that it’s 10 years old so we might as well just do cash in lieu.

The people on the phone were always so nice and very personable. Everyone I talked to did very well. Even though they have the address on the screen, they were confirming it, which is good. They're on the right contract. The only thing that made me wonder was my computer because it was a cash in lieu that I sent in on August 9th and I wasn’t hearing anything. I called and luckily, the message says 7-10 days that you should receive the payment. I was like, “Whoa! It’s been longer than that.”

The last rep that I talked to was awesome. She must’ve gone to her manager, too, to see why my e-mail hadn’t gone through. I was even given an alternate POR. They checked both folders and they were able to locate it and they're getting it taken care of so it worked out okay. It would be nice if there was an automatic response. Other than that, I appreciate working with American Home Shield. They saved us a lot of money through the years. Just like car insurance, you need to have it and then when something happens, they help you.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I built this house 20 years ago and when I first got it through my mortgage, I had American Home Shield for a little while. However, I didn’t need it because nothing was breaking down and it was a waste of money when everything was new. Now, I figured everything is getting older so I better go ahead and get something to cover some of the cost. I talked to one other warranty company and what they were offering wasn’t the same as what AHS did. American Home Shield seems to be the best so far. I should’ve gotten the warranty a little earlier but I was thinking that nothing was going to break down. Luckily, I got it at the time when I did get it.

I filed a claim for the air conditioner and they got somebody out within a couple of days. The technicians had to order a part so that took about two weeks. Luckily at that time, the weather wasn’t too bad and I had purchased a window air conditioner for my bedroom. The AC also kicked out a couple of times and we were talking about how the fuses and the air filter were too low for the air conditioner. Getting them back out there took a little longer than I wanted but they were out here today and now everything’s good. So far, American Home Shield is worth the payout and I had a good experience with them.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

We have had American Home Shield for many years and rarely needed to use them. Recently we needed our HVAC system repaired. The contracted agent came out once and never came back to install the ordered parts. Called and left a message with the contractor but they never called me back. I contacted AHS to see if they could help me and was PUT ON HOLD FOR MORE THAN ONE HOUR BEFORE I COULD SPEAK WITH SOMEONE... (It was my second attempt to speak with someone.) The service request was closed out online. The representative put me on hold for another 20 minutes while she contact the contractor.

The contractor advised her the part was in and they didn't understand why we had not been contacted, but would call us before the end of the business day to set up an appointment. I advised the AHS representative my disappointment with the contractor and suggested they evaluate the contractor as a service provider, but she sounded indifferent. The AHS representative assured me she would call us also in the afternoon to confirm the provider had followed through. Never heard from either one. Very disappointing considering all the money we have paid them over the years. I do not recommend American Home Shield and suggest you read more recent reviews and go somewhere else.

Anna,

Thank you for 11 years of loyalty with American Home Shield. We hate to hear that your overall customer experience was less than satisfactory. We would appreciate the opportunity to help you and ensure your concern is resolved! A social media specialist will follow-up with you directly to further assist. Thanks!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Horrible business. My realtor purchased this home warranty for me as part of the closing deal for my house. My dishwasher isn't working, so I placed a service request on AHS's site on Friday morning. I got an email from the 3rd party vendor AHS contracts with locally on Saturday morning saying that they couldn't reach me via phone because the phone number was incorrect. So I promptly emailed them back with my phone number. No call. It's now Monday afternoon and still no call. I logged into AHS's site and saw that the vendor has a comment on my service request saying that they can't reach me (which is a lie because they had no problem reaching me via email). Sounds like a scam to me. Why do companies contract with these 3rd party services that are unreliable and shady?

So now I'm on the phone (have been on hold for 30 minutes) with AHS because I'm trying to cancel my service request. I want them to cancel the payment that they took too. I'm unable to get a hold of anyone and they don't have an email address. I tried sending them a message on Facebook too. No reply. I will just be buying a new dishwasher at this point... after reading the other horrible reviews. Save yourselves the time and money. Do not buy a warranty through AHS.

Fran,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I filed three claims with American Home Shield at the same time. They were for the air conditioner, the refrigerator, and a light fixture in the house. I was on hold for 80 minutes, but the representative was helpful. Also, all three contractors were fine and came on time. The contractor for the refrigerator was the most helpful. He was very polite and got everything done fast. He accommodated us the same day even though he really didn't have time.

Since the repairs, the items have been fine except for the air conditioner. We were told by American Home Shield that they couldn't replace the compressor. The whole unit needs to be replaced as well as the evaporator coils to be compatible. They sent me a letter saying that there were some things not going to be paid for under the warranty, but no one called me to follow up and ask if I agree with them and if I would like to get the job scheduled. I had to call American Home Shield again and I went on hold for another 60 minutes to find out that I needed to contact the air conditioning company to arrange for them to come and do the change.

American Home Shield Company Information