toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We had an electrical problem where an outlet basically died. We called in a claim to American Home Shield to have an electrician come in to fix it. It was a very good and easy experience. They’re very courteous and friendly. When the contractor came in, he let me know exactly what the problem was and it only took about five minutes to fix it. He also showed me where everything was in working order before he left.

My most recent claim to American Home Shield was some electrical work on an outlet. The process was really easy. My wife called and made the claim. They were very helpful and connected us with the electrician. Then the electrician came out and did what he had to do. We paid the amount of money that was agreed upon and the problem was fixed. My kids can use the outlet to charge their tablet, so they're happy. It was great. We've called before and it's always been a positive experience. It's a good service out there to get insurance program especially when having a house that’s 20 years old, things are going to start going out and it's nice to know we have them to fall back on. It's something that we'll keep for years to come.

We recently filed a claim to American Home Shield concerning our leaking pipe in the bathroom and my husband submitted it online. They came and did what they are supposed to do and everything was well taken care of. Their contractors were always very friendly and very pleasant. They always send two contractors, which I find interesting, but I’m sure it’s to make things easier for them. They get to work, get the work done and leave. Everything was working fine since the repair and the deductible is reasonable.

There was a problem with our air conditioning unit and the contractor took six trips out trying to repair it. They were replacing different parts each time and I had been asking about replacing the whole thing but they had to go through the whole process. They were blaming American Home Shield and American Home Shield was blaming them. There was a back and forth and that's why it took so long.

When they came the first time, they found the bad part. They replaced and fixed it and it was working when they left until an hour later when it quit and started having the same problem with warm air again so I called them back. They found another part that was bad, replaced it and it was working but it only worked for a day and I had to call them back again. One time it worked a week, but every time they fixed something, it worked for a short time, and then the problem happens again.

Then I got in touch with the local representative. It was on a Friday and he was leaving for the weekend but I wasn't able to make a decision to get cash in lieu until I've talked to another contractor. Then, on Monday, July 24th, I called him back and told him I wanted cash in lieu. He told me it would get here in ten days and the contractor is hoping it gets here too because he's waiting to be paid. I still haven't got the cash.

It was quite frustrating to have to go through such an ordeal to get it replaced. In my mind, a home warranty is not just to repair things. It's repair or replace. However, AHS was saying it runs before the contractors leave so AHS couldn't replace it but the contractors were saying that if it were up to them, they would replace it. So there ought to be some method built into their system that lets them replace it more easily if that seems to be what the contractor believes would be best.

I’ve been with American Home Shield for about 20 years. It's very easy to submit a claim with them. My most recent claim was for my air conditioner on my rental. I submit claims through the automated system. I call their 800 number and doing it through the phone and using the voice recognition have always been good for me. After I gave the information needed, they would route me to this particular company and give me the name and the number of the company. They would also tell me that the company will contact me within 24 hours. And it’s done. But the website is useless to me because it’s not user-friendly.

The reps from AHS were nice people. However, since AHS is a large company, it’s hard to get anything done. They’re trying their best, but the problem is that they have small, independent contractors that work for them. For example, the people that did the work for me did a good job, but I ended up having to pay the service fee directly through them, not through the actual service with my renter. It’s not a big deal, though. But I think that they’re offering to not make people pay the service call but still have to work on. In my case, it was $350.

For the most part, the contractors are good. They’re prompt, and very professional and courteous as well. They call back and sometimes they call back within an hour. It depends on how small and how important my business is to that contractor. The contractors are willing to help and even go the extra mile. They clean up after they finish the job too. The only complaint I have is the price. It’s a little steep. I had my air conditioner done for $425 and that’s not counting the active contract that I had to pay every month. But AHS is efficient and satisfactory. It’s nice to have them because I don’t have to go looking for someone to do the work. All I have to do is make one phone call and AHS will take care of it.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

This is my first time using AHS, I live in Las Vegas and the temperature has been over 100 deg for 2 months. My AC went out on Wednesday. I requested service online. Initially I was paired with a company that wouldn't be able to service my until the following Monday. I called the 800 # and requested an alternative vendor. AHS then referred me to a second vendor that scheduled an appointment on the weekend (Ice Cube Air) No extra charges for weekend hours! The guys arrived on time, fixed my broken fan motor and my house was cool within 30 min! Great customer service all around. Plus it's great to pay the deductible directly to AHS incase there are issues with the vendor.

I had an AC situation and submitting the claim to American Home Shield was pretty easy. I called the phone number there and it took me to a bunch of prompts that were quick. There weren't tons of numbers. You just got to talk in plain English and tell them what your problem was and then they take you out where you needed to go. At the end of it, I was told that a contractor would be calling within 24 hours. I’ve had two contractors out here for the AC and they’re all good guys. Since then, our AC’s been running well again.

However, when I was trying to get ahold of somebody there to ask a question once, I couldn't get in the prompts. When I finally did, my wait time was gonna be 45 minutes so I never really got ahold of anybody at that point. I hope there was an option to speak directly to a person. My wife got ahold of somebody through email though so that was the best way. Other than that, I've been satisfied and would be a repeat customer.

I had an AC go out and fortunately I purchased a home warranty for them. The first company they called messed around and left me without heating and air but finally, after a week and not hearing from that company, I called American Home Shield and they got a different company on the same day and it was all taken care of. He was great and had everything done in two hours. I submitted the claim online. The website is very easy to use even when setting up my payment information. Everything’s been good and the customer service people are really helpful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

We've had several claims with American Home Shield. The contractors they sent have been very good for the most part. Every so often we have had a problem. In the process of selling the house, we had the insurance on my wife discovered that the dishwasher was not working. We’d come back after having done tests about three years. We called them and they checked out on a very timely basis. The tech looked at the dishwasher, observed or identified what was wrong with it, ordered parts, was back about a week later, which was too long than we'd like, but it was still well within what to be expected, and he made the repairs.

We also had a technician who came and checked out the air conditioning. He did a great job and there was one concern, but it turned out that the problem was communication between us and the lady who’s buying the house, this realtor. I ended up spending $3200 from the air conditioner. It's an older home and we've had a number of repairs done on it and in every case, American Home Shield and the people they refer have done a good job and we've been very happy with it.

The only thing was that about two years ago we had a contractor come out and replaced the garbage disposal on the house on Hogan Drive and about a week later, the tenants called us and said that the dishwasher was flooding. It turned out that the contractor who installed the disposal had knocked out on the dishwasher drain and I found out about it a couple of months later. I was really disappointed and it's kind of upsetting, but considering this job we had to pay an extra $100 for another service call that the first contractor should have taken care of while he was there. But then he came in the house with his boot on so as not to mess up the floor. So, we've been very impressed with the contractors except with that one occasion with the disposal.

We have a second contract on our house in Springville and last fall we had a problem with our thermostat there. A neighbor who first checked on the house said that it's 95 degrees in there and that our thermostat was locked in heat. AHS was great to work with. Their contractor worked with the neighbor and got a hold of the neighbor to let him in and it worked very well even though we were 1500 miles away at the time and weren't able to be there when the contractor came. So that was another very positive experience.

Then every once in a while we would get a rather long hold waiting for the phone to be answered, but we just deal with that because it was on a Monday morning and the reps are busy. Once we finally get a hold them, they're always helpful. It also paid off in spades and we are so glad we got AHS on our house on Hogan Drive which is a rental and it was wonderful. They had been prompt and they're doing the work with us. We've had a pleasant experience and we recommended them.

Over the phone, I put in a claim on my air conditioning with American Home Shield. A month ago, they had a company, Air Flow, come and my AC problem still hasn’t been resolved. There’s an issue with the AC coil. They’re trying to either locate one or have one made. I live in Florida. I’ve called a couple of times and AHS followed up with Air Flow, who is supposedly going to try to resolve the situation, but I’m getting frustrated because it’s been over a month now. With my previous encounter with AHS, everything has been great though. AHS is a good resource regarding your home in general for the amount of money that you pay.

The last claim we had with American Home Shield was for the microwave oven. It’s very easy to submit a claim with them, I just push the buttons on the phone or go online. If I have to speak to a representative, it's a very long wait time. Their reps, however, were always very friendly and most of them were knowledgeable too. AHS called Sears in and they had to order a part. It took a week for the part to come in and then they repaired the microwave oven. The repair guy was perfect and on time. Also, he cleaned up after himself when he finished the job. The oven is working fine since the repair. The warranty with AHS is a good plan. You think it's something repaired for $75, which sometimes it's $75 for them just to walk through the door. But after it, you repair something.

One of my air conditioning units stopped working and it was just blowing hot air. I submitted a claim online then the technician gave me a call, scheduled the time and came over. The contractor sent by American Home Shield is an improvement from the previous years. The air conditioning unit was nice and cool after the repair and I hope they continue to improve on the vendors that they pick up because we have worked with some not so reputable firms.

My last claim concerning my heating and air was cancelled. I'm in Atlanta where it gets very, very hot and my wife works from home, in the upstairs part of the house and sometimes it gets a little warmer so I called them to be proactive. The AC is still working. However, I have the service. The agencies that they have sent for this garage door and washing machine have done good work. So the most that's going to cost me is the service fee. So why not get the AC looked at? For this claim, I did it online, but typically, I usually would call and get a live person and they will set it up. Their reps have been courteous and they've taken good care of me. In less than 24 hours, someone from the company will call me and set up an appointment.

I got a call indicating who would be coming but no one came. I didn't make it an issue because they typically call first. And for some reason, I was balancing my budget and I noticed I had a pending charge for a visit that never happened. Typically when somebody comes by, they will do the work and you would sign that the work has been accomplished. In the past, we used to pay them directly when they came. But American Home Shield changed it now where they give you the option to pay it upfront or after the service is done. I chose to pay it after the service was done. But in this particular case, there was never any contact, action or notes about the ACs outside.

Initially, I was trying to convince myself to let it go and do my next service, anyway it was already paid for. Worst case scenario, they may have said nothing was wrong and it was just doing the best it can, or that I needed a new AC or Freon. But because I've used them quite often, I wouldn't have had any problem with the service fee if they told me something, even if it's just "We didn't see anything." But none of that ever happens.

I decided I would call and complain but I felt like I was going to have to jump to some hoops to get my refund back. They were going to debit it and then I could submit some forms and then they would send me a check back. They told me they came by. However, if they hadn't done anything, why was AHS taking it in the first place? I asked whether the contractor told AHS that they did something, and if that's what they said, who did they see and what did they do? They had nothing to give me. So it wasn't evident. Eventually, they retracted that fee but it was only through some persistence by me.

I learned from this issue, but I will use them again. Overall, I'm somewhat satisfied with my experience and I would recommend them. It's still a great service to have when you need it. You pay a monthly fee and you may not need it for six months or a year but if the garage door opens and goes down, it would cost more than that to find someone at Lowe's or Home Depot to come over and do it for you. If you can do that, you're going to work yourselves. Besides, there have been cases when I'm sure it cost more to fix the situation than the service fee. If you can afford to pay the monthly fee and then pay the service fee, it's worth it to have it.

Our most recent claim with American Home Shield was to repair a water line that goes out to the shower. It was easy to submit the claim, and I had a good interaction with their rep and their contractor as well. It was working fine since the repair but it took a long time to get it done because of finding the proper parts or the proper approach to get it fixed. I tried to pay the technician but they didn’t do it that way anymore. I got a bill in the mail last Thursday or Friday and it has been quite a while. They need to let us know if there is a change in procedure and protocol. Anyway, I have recommended them.

I usually submit claims on the phone and at times, the American Home Shield people are extremely responsive, but other times they’re very curt and short. One time I called but there was a long wait so I submitted it online and it was pretty much cut and dry. There was a problem with my refrigerator and they sent a company that analyzed it first. The problem turned out to be the compressor and then they went back and ordered the part. About a week later, they sent down somebody else to fix it because the person who analyzed it was a trainee who didn’t know how to fix the product. At another incidence, we had a problem with one of the contractors. He was a know-it-all and tried to toss things that were completely different from what the dishwasher manufacturer and the salespeople told us. There were instructions on the door of the dishwasher about the heating of the water and he read that to me and lied about it.

Kudos to American Home Shield Account Executive Carina ** for going above and beyond the call of duty in response to a dire need for our family! Recently the water heater at the home my wife and I purchased in April went out. With minors and an aging adult - who had only days before returned home from a short hospital stay, any extended period without hot water was an unacceptable scenario.

We knew we had an American Home Shield warranty set up as part of our purchasing agreement, but were unaware that we had to use a pre-designated vendor. The vendor would have to come assess the malfunctioning heater, determine if it was in need of repair or replacement, and the over all process could take 1-2 weeks. In stepped Carina, who exhibited an understanding of our plight, comprehended we needed to immediately address the circumstance with a local vendor, and found a means to offset some of the cost of our emergency with empathy, and dedication to premium customer service. We're extremely appreciative of the extra effort made by Carina on our behalf, and highly recommend American Home Shield for homeowners as a result of her value added accomplishment.

We have two accounts with American Home Shield and we still have them. Their claims representatives were wonderful on the phone. I loved AHS when we had it in our first house except the fact that when I called them, we ran around trying to get our oven door replaced. The oven technician up in Florence was very nice but it took forever to get it done. Nevertheless, they have been good in everything else. We also got them when we bought the beach house down in Florida but it took 10 weeks in order to get the dishwasher replaced after they sent technicians out here five times. I did not like the dishwasher technician. He was the first one that came up several times, was rude and was using nasty language in front of my grandbabies. My daughter told him that if he can’t stop that, he can just leave. He was frustrated like we were but he shouldn’t talk like that in front of little kids.

We called and he’d be very frustrated on the phone. He would say he has just been here and I told him that he needs to stick around for a while as we’ve been trying to tell him. We’ll run it and then I’ll show the damage. I know he was getting frustrated himself so I can’t fault him. My daughter was here and she kept telling them what happened and saying that it’ll work for 10 minutes then it totally stops. It took 10 weeks before AHS finally said that we’re going to get a new dishwasher. Thank goodness they sent a different technician out that installed it. He was different from the one that came out several times. And then, it’s not even hooked into the cabinet because they said that they’re not allowed use granite on the counter tops. So, every time we open both doors, the whole thing wants to fall off the cupboards. Other than that, we’ve had a good time with them, they had really been good and we've been really pleased.

We had an issue with our dishwasher. The problem was on its control panel. It would start up and then it would stop. My husband submitted a claim with American Home Shield over the internet and the contractor they sent was very communicative with us. He was there when he said when he'd be there and if he had a problem, he called to let us know that he was running late or whatever. The repair took a few days. He had to order a new control panel, which took a few days to get in, and then he was back.

I’m very satisfied with American Home Shield. We’ve had them before and it’s been going satisfactorily since the contractor did the repair. Our most recent claim with AHS was for the jets on the tub. It was easy to submit the claim and their reps were nice, pleasant, and informative. But, they have not completed the work yet.

I'm not very happy with AHS at all.They really absolutely suck. My only claim with American Home Shield, I have a crapped out, 29-year old AC unit. Instead of replacing it, all they want to do is throw a Band-Aid on it and they want to put a compressor in. I opt not to use the company that they brought out because I had another company that had come out on my own and looked at it and said, they were totally wrong in their diagnosis and the outside unit need to be completely replaced. And I'm going to take the buyout money because I wouldn't let the people they come out cut my grass, let alone put an air conditioning unit in for me, which there wasn't going to be an air-conditioning unit. All it was going to be was a compressor.

The experience I had submitting a claim was lie, lie, dance, dance, dance. Nobody's going to tell the truth. We got to go by the rules. I've never heard and I've talked to a rep from American Home Shield who contracts various vendors to go out for and he says, what they're telling me is not really the truth. I can have a second vendor come out for another $100 and I could gamble on whether or not they're going to be just as bad as the first one. I need somebody that knows what they're doing.

The contractor they sent out was good. I just don't think he understood. I guess he understands because I think his quote was if I come out here and say, I need a whole new unit, American Home Shield is going to send out five vendors until they get one that says, that they won't. So when it froze up for the second time, I didn't even know what he did the second time even if he tried to fix anything. I don't know if the condenser wasn't working on the second time. And the third time, they sent somebody else out and he came out with his little sniffy thing and said, the compressors leaking.

According to American Home Shield, if you have an R-22 system, they're only going to pay $10 a pound in my nine-pound system, is curiously jumped up to 12 pounds at a $100 and something per pound of R-22. I elected to say, "Screw that. Just give me the money. I'll get somebody who knows what they're doing. I'll put it in and I'll buy a whole new unit myself."

I got more bang for the buck because it was $100. I broke it down to $33 per service call because normally, it should have been $100 and they should have came out and fixed it. So I came up with a diagnosis that was really going to work and they answer is, no, no and no. I'm going to bite my tongue for a while because I got a certified and inspected system that's going to get put in tomorrow. And the other thing too is, here's your great American Home Shield, I say, "Why can't I pick my own vendor?" Total Home Protection allows you to take your own vendor. Everybody else does but not them, no.

They said, "No. The best we could do is to bandage him first and can be second and that would be another $100." You know, by the time I get done, American Home Shield has been the biggest disappointment, period, of anything I have ever done. I usually make pretty valid decisions. I'm actually embarrassed by the fact that I went to the higher program that didn't cap off at $1500 so American Home Shield can do what they could to keep it under $50.

I hope AHS goes out of business. That'd be the highlight of my day. I hope somebody gets off and piss off at them and actually sue them and get done with the game and just say, Come out and fix this stuff. It's a 29-year old unit.It's going to cost me $1100 in R-22 even if they did put it in, just to put in a compressor and then, I can get the buyout for $850.12 minus whatever service fees and I paid $100 at the services and everybody else that comes out charges $85. I'm sure, there's going to be some scam charge on that too where I don't get the whole $850. They're going to say, there's some hidden fee somewhere with the hidden scam, American Home Shield scam. As you can see, I'm not excessively disappointed. I'm disappointed at myself that I believe American Home Shield really was a decent company and they are not.

Bottomline is if they want to be a company, just eliminate the air-conditioning aspect of what they cover. Just take it off their map because they're not going to be honest about it. I want all my premiums back, is what I want, for the five years that I've paid because they lied to me. They lied to me. They did not do anything that they said that they would do. They did not offer me any type of choice of any vendor. I was told that more than once and if it was, they would pick the next vendor. Everybody else offers choice of vendor. They don't. They sent one rag after another until they can get one to get the cheapest Band-Aid to get it out the door. They're horrible. I can't be more disappointed any decision I made other than my first wife that would even compare to this.

We had a leaking dishwasher for a couple of weeks and American Home Shield very prompt in handling our issue. I had most of my interactions with their reps online. The contractor was fine and after the repair, the dishwasher has been working great. My experience with AHS has gotten better over time.

My first experience with AHS was excellent but my second experience was not. I had a pipe burst in the basement so I called to submit a claim and the rep I spoke to was very polite and helpful. AHS sent a plumber who's very polite but he told me that the pipe wasn’t covered so I asked why AHS didn’t tell me that. He said that it's because I ordered it online, but I never submitted online because that creates confusion. AHS lied to him and I had it repaired out of pocket. AHS has been responsive and my experience with them has been good except for that incident.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We called about our washer defect on June, 2017. On June 28th a technician was sent to our home. The technician ordered the parts, then came back to fix the washer. It did not work still. So we placed another call. A technician was sent again. The technician told us that there is nothing he could do with the washer. So, we did not have access to a working washer. We reported the problem on July 27, 2017. We called nearly everyday since then. The wait time was averaging between 50 minutes to 70 minutes. Once you got hold to an associate, they kept telling you the same thing. They claimed that they need a diagnostic from the technician.

Everyday, they told me the same thing. They promised me that they would call me and let me know about the progress. Nothing happened. I have been paying the fees for many years, but until now, I am not sure that they plan to replace, repair or going to help us with the defect washer. Looking for advice. I thought this company has a good reputation, but unfortunately it did not look like they plan to fix or replace the washer or help their customer. Not even a callback.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

American Home Shield is horrible to deal with. They were happy to take my money when I purchased the policy, but two months ago my microwave died and they are making excuses to avoid replacing it. When we reported the problem they sent out a contractor who took several days to come out. He ordered a new fuse (which took a week), then came out and replaced it (we were charged for the service call). The microwave worked... for a few weeks. We called again and they sent the contractor out again (again, we had to wait several days with a dead microwave for anyone to come). When the contractor finally got here he looked at the microwave then called American Home Shield and told them that the 13 year old microwave needed to be replaced, but they instructed him to put in another fuse (as if that would help). It took several days to order it and several more for him to come put it in. Again it worked... for a few days.

We called again and out came the contractor again (after a week of waiting). He called American Home Shield again and again told them the microwave is too old to repair, but they would not authorize a new one. This time they told him to put in a new circuit board. Another week with a dead microwave. When the board was finally installed it worked... for only a week, just like the contractor told them. Clearly the microwave is shot, but they are intent on replacing one little part at a time instead of just doing the right thing and replacing the microwave. The contractor is dumbfounded that American Home Shield is putting us through this. But tomorrow he is coming back to look at the microwave. He already told us that he will just call American Home Shield AGAIN when he gets here and tell them it needs to be replaced.

I fully expect them to instruct him to replace some other random part. It will then take him 3-4 days to order the part that won't fix the problem, another 3-4 days to get back out to install it, a few days for the microwave to function before it dies, then we will start the cycle all over again. This is so unfair and frustrating. It feels like American Home Shield is dragging this out in the hopes that we will just give up and buy the new microwave ourselves. We paid for the warranty, we paid for the service and they provided nothing but frustration in return. Not to mention the fact that every time we call them we are on hold at least 50 minutes. I am amazed that a company that cares so little about their customers can remain in business. How can it take two months to figure out a microwave needs to be replaced!!!

My air-conditioner was clogged up. I called AHS to submit a claim and the rep I spoke to was very concerned and very efficient about getting someone. I have requested that the same company, Ecco Tec Services, that put the unit in return to fix it so she made sure that the same people came and took care of the problem. I was satisfied with their response and getting someone here quickly to resolve the problem. Once the contractor came back, I was able to schedule and do the things I had scheduled for that day so, I’m pleased with that. The contractor knew what was going on and it didn’t take him that long to unclog the line. I’m satisfied with the repair and I haven’t had problems anymore. AHS has been very professional, efficient and they listen to what my problem is. I’m pleased with them and I will continue to be their customer.

My AC unit was leaking water and the line was backed up. The AHS rep was really courteous but from the time I called to the time the contractor came out, it was like a week and that kind of irritated me. But I knew they were so backed up and busy at the time. A guy came out and for a few minutes, he did the line out and it was fine after that. However, he told me I needed some pump to go in it but I’ve never heard anything else about that. We recommended American Home Shield to a friend and I've also told friends about them.

My claim with American Home Shield went real well. The rep was helpful and the contractor was real good. I like the way they got the whole service set up. I know that I can get online and put in for services without staying on the line and waiting for somebody to answer my calls. And they get back to me at a real reasonable time. I don't have to wait two or three days before somebody calls me back about my claim.

Our air conditioner stopped and it was scorching hot. We were sleeping in somebody's house because it was too hot inside our house. My wife is diabetic and she couldn't stand the heat. We called AHS and a guy came out. He fixed the air conditioner but it was only for a day and then it went out again. I figured maybe it was just the heat. It was after about 15 days when we couldn't take it anymore. I called AHS back and they sent another crew in. The guy was so knowledgeable and professional. He checked to see if the freon was good and went upstairs in the attic. He found whatever the problem was and fixed it. My house is cool now. It didn't get cool until the next day because the house was so hot, but the next morning, we felt the house getting cool. It's still a little bit hot during the course of the day, but it's better than what we got when we first started out where my kids couldn't come because they couldn't stand heat.

Additionally, I was very happy that I didn't have to pay for the second guy who came out. I'm more than satisfied with AHS. I wasn't satisfied with my other warranty because when I call, they didn't want to respond when I had a problem with my plumbing. And all weekend, I couldn't use my bathroom because it was flooded. I had to move to my daughter's house for a while. But with AHS, the phone was answered when I called and they replied kindly to my questions. The only thing is they don't work on weekends. But the contractors were on-time. When they said 8:00, they were here at 8:00.

AHS set me up with a vendor to install a dishwasher. When I looked the vendor up online they got disgraceful reviews ranging over a number of years especially for AHS customers. I call AHS to request another company and the agent told me to try them. When I asked again for another company, she put me on hold - I had been on hold for over an hour - then after another half an hour or so after she said she was looking in to it, the phone went dead. Didn't bother to calI me back. I figured I'd give this company, Red 1 appliance repair, a chance - also could not afford to waste more time on the phone waiting.

They were scheduled to come between 1 and 5 pm today. At about 3, I called Red 1 appliance to find out if they were in fact coming (and the reviews came true). Nobody answered and they did not return my message. I called AHS and was once again on hold for over 30 minutes - finally got to an agent who told me that he was going to call the company - left me on hold for another 45 minutes or so - then the phone went dead. Also, didn't bother to call me back. Sure enough, I got a call at 4:20 pm from Red 1 appliance to say that his truck broke down YESTERDAY and could not come and haul the dishwasher away so he wasn't going to come at all.

I asked him why he didn't let me know yesterday when his truck broke down so that I wouldn't have had to waste the whole afternoon waiting for him not to show - totally unresponsive and couldn't care less - I called AHS about 45 minutes ago and wanted to speak to a manager - want to find out why since I believe I am paying for decent service and AHS is hiring unprofessional vendors - am still on hold for a manager (56 minutes waiting now). I am looking around for another warranty company - it's amazing how they take my money with no waiting every month - but my time is worth nothing to them. DISGUSTING customer service!!!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I recently purchase a home warranty through America Home Shield. Prior to moving to my home, (homeowner) the washing machine and toilet were working prior to moving in. A couple days later the washer started dripping and wouldn't turn (spin). They called out Vertex home services out for services. They cancelled on me twice, 30 mins before service. Very unprofessional. They came back out today and stopped the drip but noted the spin was irreplaceable due to normal life expectancy and noted the home warranty would replace it.

I received a call from Teresa in the complaint department from America Home Shield and noted they couldn't replace it! But it clearly states in the contract that it is replaceable if it can't be repaired. She was very rude and unprofessional, evidence by cutting me off in conversation. I asked for a manager and she communicated that it wasn't no supervisors around. THIS WARRANTY Company doesn't honor the contract at all and set their contractors up to state the item needs to be replaced so they don't have to worry about fixing it!! Don't give them any of your money!!

I have AHS which has been good up until now... I have tried getting thru to this company for three days now!!! Everytime I call they say there is going to be a hold wait time after one hour!!! Then I get disconnected.

My AC went out 2 months ago. After about 2 weeks a technician from Xtreme Air came out they told me that it would be over $1000 to repair on top of my $75 deductible. But they recommended that I replace it, even though that wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Obviously I was shocked. The unit is 18 years old, and one of the main contributing factors to me purchasing a home warranty. The technician also told me that the issue was a result of a previous faulty repair, so the warranty company probably wouldn't cover it anyway.

Of course, the last repair was done through the warranty company, so I call them and tell them what the technician told me. They re-dispatch the last company (Consolidated Air) that repaired the unit the last time and told me that it was up to me to get them to fix the issue if they caused it. They also tell me that unless the unit cannot be repaired, they won't replace it, regardless of how old it is or the state it is in. On top of that there is fine print in the contract that they cover $10 per pound for coolant.

As a typical consumer I have no idea how much coolant costs. They proceed to tell me coolant is $30-120 per pound because it has been banned by the EPA, depending on the technician they send. But that they don't ask the companies ahead of time, you just have to pay whatever price is quoted. I was again shocked, how can they be responsible for picking the technician, and not know how much the repair would cost and not pick the one that has $30 coolant vs $120 coolant?

So I wait another week for Consolidated Air to come look at the unit. At the time, they tell me that they have diagnosed the problem, but will need to have their parts department get back to me with an estimate... After a couple more weeks I finally connect with the parts person (who had been on vacation) and am told that it would be $850 to fix it. I tell them what the warranty company told me, that they were responsible for the repairs... They said it wasn't their issue. After a long conversation, I finally agreed, I need it fixed, so just come on Monday and I will pay the fees. Monday comes and I get a call from them saying they are not coming, and that I need to call the home warranty company.

Now that it has been several weeks, when I call them, I then ask, can you replace the coolant with the "new" kind that isn't banned by the EPA? They tell me to talk to Consolidated Air to see if that would be possible and if so I could get $150 toward the repair. So, I call Consolidated Air, the guy tells me that it makes perfect sense to him, since the "old" refrigerant will be banned in 2020, that replacing it today would be "like putting new tire that you were going to sell"... and tells me that the parts guy would call me back. That was over a month ago. I have repeatedly called and no one has returned my call. I was told multiple times that the owner would call me. It has never happened.

In the mean time I have contacted AHS multiple times to tell them about the situation, and finally told them I would not be renewing my contract because this has been such a nightmare. I did ask if I did not renew would this repair still be covered, they said yes. They also told me if I hired a third party to fix the unit they would "try" to get the actual cost covered. The contractor who is fixing it tells me that it is a waste of money to repair this unit and that he can't believe any other contractor would recommend that. There is hail damage to the condenser, loose wires from the previous repairs, etc. etc.

I called AHS to ask them why they didn't just replace it, and they basically told me if I still had a contract, they might be able to do something, but since I didn't renew, I was on my own... I asked them if I renewed now would they repair and there was nothing they could do. Very long story to say, I do not recommend American Home Shield. I have used other warranty (BFS, 2-10) companies in the past that have been very good and had much better customer service.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

They have no means of reaching out to them except to submit a service request. To contact them to follow up on a claim you have to call a number and wait, typically for over an hour. There is no chat, no email, no way to reach them. It is totally unacceptable and abusive. Most working people cannot sit on hold for 1 hr plus. They owe us money for appliances we had installed because of their horrible selection, and you cannot reach anyone to find out the status. Their self proclaimed "state of the art" website is of no use at all and is anything but state of the art.

American Home Shield Company Profile