toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

My water heater kept turning off so I called American Home Shield and presented my claim to them. They had a different company give me call and sent me an email of who would be contacting me first. The people contacted me in less than 20 minutes and said they could come out the next day but due to my availability with working they came the next week. They found out that they couldn't fix the problem right then and there and that they would have to order the product to fix it, so that's what they did. They ordered it, it came back a week later, and the contractor came back. I paid $75 the first time he came and then he fixed the problem when he came back. Everything was okay and I didn't have to pay again. He did a great job. Everything's working fine with no problems at all since the repair. I was surprised they were responsive.

We had a leaking pipe in our basement. I submitted the claim online and the process was quick and easy. The company called us within an hour and asked if they could come out on that weekend. They did and they did exactly what I was hoping they would do. It was perfect. What happened was there was a tiny pinhole leak in our copper plating. The copper plates needed to be replaced so I was concerned that the company would just gonna solder it over to keep it from leaking. But when the technician came, we explained what had been happening to him and without any further discussion, they replaced a good fourth of the copper plates with a PVC pipe. So that wasn't just a temporary fix, it’s the real deal. It was just $75 which would have been at least $400. American Home Shield has often saved us hundreds of dollars that would have been a huge headache.

I submitted two separate claims with American Home Shield for the dishwasher and the water heater. The claim process was very easy. I just called them, gave them my number and told them what was broken, and they sent somebody out. It was dependent on the contractor's schedule but they come out usually within a week. The contractors were all really cool, friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Everything is working. In fact, everything's been positive so far, so that's good.

I had a very bad experience with AHS and it is just total ripoff. I had an issue with the water heater which has to replaced. I have been a customer for 4 years and paying premium of 50/Month. Now they want to replace and they came up with charges which I need to pay from my pocket around 610 which is more than the Heater itself if I buy it from Home Depot and installation will be 300. My impression was that AHS will cover everything and it's a surprise to see the charges I need to pay from my pocket. It is just a total ripoff. So I don't recommend AHS at all. I am cancelling now.

American Home Shield

Hi April-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: March 16, 2017

First of all, I have been an American Home Shield Customer for many many years. My downstairs heating unit went out a week and a half ago and I am still without heat (Mind you, it is very cold here and I have children in the home). I put in a work order to have it repaired and the Heating company said they had to order a part for the unit. After waiting a few days (still freezing cold), my husband called to get a status on when the part would be in and they told them it would be a few more days.

Soon after he hangs up, the Heating technician called and said the part was in and an appointment to come out to replace was made. When he gets there the next day, he tells us it's the wrong part and he told his boss that before he came out but the boss said, "Go out there anyway and get the number off the unit" so they could order the correct part. Another day passes, they called and said the part was discontinued so they could not repair it. This means AHS will have to replace the unit. Now we have to wait for a quote from the Heating Company to AHS and a call from them.

Another COLD DAY, AHS calls and tells us, "According to the information from the contractor, we will pay for parts and labor but you have to pay the additional $3000 out of pocket as we do not cover that part." I'm like, "Whaaaat? We don't have that kind of money for these unnecessary services." I called and spoke with several AHS customer service reps and they are telling me the most AHS will pay is $1800 towards a new heat unit. Really? This is insane! Anyone with knows it costs much more than that for a new unit and labor.

Come on, AHS. It costs at least $3000 for a gas heat unit including labor. You should be ashamed of yourself. They are frauds and work with these companies to rip customers off. This is unfair and they know it. They are allowing the contractor to quote these extreme rates for services so they won't have to pay the contractor any reasonable money and the contractor in turn tries to recoup from the customer. Horrible business practices at the expense of the consumers. I thought this was a good company but I see otherwise. I am now without heat and AHS won't provide reasonable assistance to accommodate me and my family, fairly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

American Home Shield

Hi Philip-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: March 14, 2017

American Home Shield is a company backed on lies and stipulations within contracts that prevent them from actually covering the expensive materials in your appliances. They are manipulative and unreliable. Do not ever buy an American Home Shield warranty, my AC has broken 3 times in the last year and they will not replace the unit, they simply fill it with Freon and say "it's fixed."

When the technician came out again for the FOURTH time suddenly he found a leak (how convenient our warranty is about to expire) and requested the unit be replaced and now American Home Shield has stated that they are going to "fix", not replace the unit per the company's diagnosis. Even though I called Harbor Point Mechanical and they diagnosed a replacement of the entire interior unit. American Home Shield has stated that suddenly we are responsible for the Freon also which just had to be tipped off in the past three visits. And now the unit is completely empty somehow and we owe $990 for Freon. I am tired of being hot and cold all the time and being lied to, and never called back. This company is founded on lies!!! And now they have blocked me from posting on their page with all the other million horrible reviews. This company is garbage.

Factual basis uncertain

American Home Shield

Hi Anissa-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: March 14, 2017

We have been customers of American Home Shield for over a year. When we submitted our first claim for our heater, it is denied. There were a lot of technical terms thrown around not only by the HVAC company that they sent to our home, but also by AHS. We were told that we are having flame-outs on our unit and that the flames melted a pipe which caused water damage to our control board. So... AHS has denied the claim based on water damage... Which was caused by the flame out of a heater that needs to be replaced. We are still working with the HVAC company as well as AHS to see if we can come to a resolution.

This isn't the service we expected to get from AHS since we had heard a lot of positive things about the company. We are still hoping that this can be resolved and we can get our heater fixed under our AHS home warranty... But people definitely need to beware when dealing with this company that they will seemingly see what they want to when reading a claim to avoid paying for replacements.

American Home Shield

Hi Husayn--I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: March 13, 2017

It's been over 1 week so far, and I still have not had a contractor come out to fix my water heater. It's currently leaking into my neighbor's space, and I have to turn it off -- which means no hot water for me. I have taken this whole day off -- spoke to a rep this morning and have yet to have a contractor respond to me yet. I have now been on hold for about 20 minutes waiting to speak to someone. I have just got on the phone with a Rep and I will see how long this takes before I complete my review. I am now back online and the rep is telling me that I should have received a call from the contractor -- this is absolutely ridiculous. Do you use only one contractor in an area? Or maybe there is nepotism in selection of a particular contractor out of favoritism? I will continue to hold. What should I do if my neighbor sue me for damages from the water that is flowing to his storage?

American Home Shield

I spoke with Mr. Chase and was able to resolve the issue with his dishwasher. The customer has my direct contact information if he has any questions about this issue in the future.

Original review: March 13, 2017

Dishwasher repair turned into Nightmare! We have waited going on 2 and a half months waiting for it to be fixed or replaced. Still no resolution. Starting in early January we ran into issues with our dishwasher. The dishware is not draining. Our home warranty sent someone out a week or 2 later. They looked it over and said they needed to order parts. So they ordered them, and came back out a couple weeks later. This time the parts were here and the tech installed them, and reported that the issue was fixed... He left, and when my wife came home reported that it still was not fixed. We called the American Home Shield and let them know and they said they would schedule them to come back out a couple weeks later.

2 weeks pass, no dishwasher and the tech doesn't show up on our service day. We call home warranty and tells us that GE was scheduled to be out but that they would call to see what happened. They called GE and were told that they didn't have us on schedule and we would have to wait a week. So my wife calls back because this was getting out of hand, and this time she was told that there were actually more parts being ordered and that was the issue. So parts get delivered the guy comes out a week or 2 later and installs some of the parts. Says it's fixed. Shows us that it drained, and leaves. We try to wash dishes and not only does it not drain but it isn't washing dishes anymore.

We call American Home Shield and they try to get a diagnosis from GE to see if we can replace it. Which we asked to happen several times and never did. Apparently they couldn't get a diagnosis from GE so they transfer it to another company that came out last week. This person let us know how bad American Home Shield is... Looked at GE's repairs and saw that not only did they not fix it, but they broke it further. The spray arm was broken so water wasn't coming through the nozzles, and the ball was removed from the unit to fix the not draining part. However that ball is needed to prevent back flow which is why our dishwasher is retaining water. This tech sent us a copy of the invoice because he knew American Home Shield would jerk us around with how much they would pay out... The total cost was 250.

Now I get a call today saying that they will pay us 140 as a buyout to replace the unit. Not a replacement cost but the cost of the repair... Which I have proof is about 100$ less than what the tech emailed me... Now on top of this she called me back stating that they can't find proof that we paid the 75 dollar service charge. And expect me to go through my bank account and find it from months ago otherwise they are going to deduct that from the check they are going to send me. I have asked to talk to a manager for the 3rd time, every time I am told they will have to call me back 24 hours later. Which has yet to happen.

This is the first home warranty company that I have had these type of issues with. Their communication is awful, the service they provide is awful. I also have never written a bad review, but this time I cannot hold my tongue. This complaint will be filed with every realtor I know that sells their warranty, every online review company, and anyone that will listen.

I had a claim with American Home Shield for a dishwasher. They got us connected with somebody from Sears, and their guy did a good job. He didn't have one of the parts which he would normally carry with the gasket. So, he came back for a second visit to install the gasket and it worked out just fine and then, we got the receipt. The technician coming out and taking care of business and the claim with AHS was pretty smooth.

But then, there was a weird follow-up. The back office wasn't connecting with whatever they needed to do with Sears because a couple of months later, January timeframe, American Home Shield said I owe $15 for something. I don't know what so I called and they said that it has something to do with the claim when the guy came back in the fall. I told them I have a receipt that says I paid for everything. I'd paid my service fee and I paid $129 and something cents because there were taxes involved. So, they took that all back and they said okay and at one time, they said that maybe I ought to call Sears because there was something related to Sears. They gave me the telephone number but when I called, they didn't answer. So, I called AHS back and asked them to call Sears which they did.

Then I noticed that there's a due amount on my account. I asked why it keeps showing up and they said they're trying to sort it out with Sears. I asked if they settled it and then they came back saying they have proof that it's not my bill. I asked if they can take it off my account and they said yes but it will take maybe two to three weeks. I called back later to tell them it's still showing up. So, there was a couple of back and forth and about a month altogether of going through that, I asked what was going on. They said they're gonna basically resubmit to straighten it out and it might finally be off my account. I've had American Home Shield for several properties over time and it's all been pretty good. It's just that you get this random glitch and this particular one was bad. I didn't understand what was taking so long and I wish management was more involved in that.

My ice machine in my freezer and my dishwasher buttons got broken. I had never used a home insurance service in my life and had never used AHS before so I didn’t know it was supposed to be one claim. I thought that I needed to pay for two separate services so it never crossed my mind to not put them in separately. I reported them a couple of hours apart. They assigned me one service and the vendor never called me in the proper timeframe. So I called American Home Shield and waited a ridiculous amount of time. I figured I’d contact them by e-mail and so finally, the first vendor came and the person who came to service was wonderful. He was fast, efficient, and really nice.

When I called American Home Shield for my second claim, the person I first spoke to was yelling at me for not putting in both things together. She cancelled that vendor without telling me and assigned me to someone else. Then when they tried to give it to someone else, the other person didn’t want to take it because it was reassigned.

It was a really awful experience with AHS on the phone and I had a terrible experience getting somebody to come. The people on the phone for American Home Shield are awful. They could use a little work in their friendliness and helpfulness. The customer service person who helped me last was wonderful, but the two people before her were not helpful and one was genuinely nasty. But the actual service and the completion of both repairs were awesome and phenomenal. When they finally did come, they did a great job. They were quick and really nice, and both items were fixed well. I wouldn’t recommend AHS but I won’t cancel my subscription either.

American Home Shield

Hi Rahul-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I selected highest plan from AHS considering I will get full protection and peace of mind. My first ticket raised is still not solved after one month. Instead AHS is asking money for each visit of different vendor for same ticket. And there is NO TIME LIMIT to close ticket. One month back when I had first issue and logged service request, it was good experience as I get mail of acknowledging request immediately. I logged complaint for appliance issue. They assigned a vendor company to do the service. Vendor company gave me appointment after 6 days to visit my house. They have no other time available so I must had to wait for 6 days.

When Technician from vendor company came he charged first $75 for visit. He said Oven board needs to be changed. He ordered it with AHS and next appointment is after 2 weeks. After 2 weeks when he came with board, still oven was not working. Technician said AHS gave him used and faulty board. So he need to order again. Again after 1.5 to 2 week he came and again Oven was not working. So he said he again got faulty board. And there might be issue with current. He also acknowledge that before he open oven for first time current was fine and he can see display. And maybe Oven needed to be replaced. But AHS will not do it probably as they will try for repair. So AHS send electrician and asked me to pay $75 again. I said there was no issue of current before and if there is issue now it must have been caused due to faulty board supplied 2 times.

As of now electrician and Oven technician want me to schedule their timing so they can come at same time. Most IMPORTANT is that there is no time limit for ticket to close. So this can go on for one year and AHS will send different vendors and try to repair Oven and I might need to pay for each different type of service. AHS must have time limit of closing ticket and responsible for service. Not saying it's supplier problem who is giving faulty parts. I have contract with AHS and not with their supplier. In summary after one month issue is still not solved. And I don't see any timeline or way forward to solve it.

My water dispenser on my refrigerator wasn't working properly and so I made a claim online with American Home Shield. I got an appointment for the following day and it was emailed to me within minutes. Their contractor spent quite a bit of time though because the water line was frozen. When he got that sorted out, we tested the dispenser and it was dripping, so the whole unit needed to be replaced. He had scheduled appointments through the day but he had someone from Sears drop off the parts and told me that he would come back in the evening when he was done with all his appointments and would call me when he was on his way, and he did. He came back and fixed it and I haven't had a problem since. I'm happy I bought the warranty from American Home Shield. It's worth every penny.

I have had American Home Shield for a while and I recently bought Choice. I used them once and they delayed everything. It took three days so I dropped them right after what I called them for. It wasn’t like when I call American Home Shield where everything’s done quickly so I decided to stick with AHS. When I had a problem with my water heater, the guy who came in said he can’t fix it so AHS replaced it. I like AHS and I‘ll probably keep them for now. It was a very good experience with them.

American Home Shield

Hi Carole-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: March 7, 2017

First 35 years good service, last 10 years it was awful. The past 14 times I have had to contact them has been progressively worse. First of all it is nearly impossible to get through to them by telephone or email or online. Wanting it in writing, my emails do not go through, are rejected. By phone one must listen to a long advertisement then engage in an automated Q&A session.

But if AHS sends a person, most of the contractors have been indolent, spend 5 to 10 minutes walking around with hands in pockets when water seepage has ruined a new hardwood floor for example, or gas fireplace has a roaring flame and will not shut off, or all electric in home goes off in a Texas summer. My a/c and furnace are 31 years old now, 2017. I have paid for them in my membership since 1973. Now that the furnace has been diagnosed as dangerous, by a Structural Engineer (paid by me $$$) and now another individual company this year. The company AHS finally gave me just now has NO REVIEWS but does have 6 (SIX) complaints at BBB, one of which was an "out of business" response.

I have asked on numerous occasions over the years when I renew with AHS whether they will replace my a/c and furnace with a Trane unit or the equivalent in case Trane goes out of business. Always am assured they will. But - I have been told that AHS will put a "band aid" on the furnace or a/c and not replace them. Now however I feel as though the lack of interest and general avoidance is pushing me toward dropping the contract. It is a Catch 22, I've a lot of money invested with them and two ancient large dollar items on the brink of failure or fire.

American Home Shield

Hi Clare-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: March 7, 2017

I contacted AHS approximately 4 weeks ago regarding my Whirlpool washer (10 years old). The washer was working fine with the exception the clothes were not completely spun dry. Prestige Appliance was the first contractor to diagnosis the washer. Due to my schedule and the contractor's schedule it was hard to schedule an appointment. However, he finally showed up on a Saturday, although this is not a normal work day for him. The contractor provided me with a handwritten diagnosis... In short the machine could be repaired. The contractor stated he would submit the diagnosis on the following week.

I called AHS February 20th to follow up and found out Prestige had not submitted the diagnosis as promised. I contacted AHS three days in a row and Prestige still had not contacted them. I requested a different contractor as my washer was still not working and my dryer also stopped working. I took off work for a 4-hour window on March 1st for Ukon Appliance Repair to diagnosis my washer and dryer. Per Ukon Appliance Repair both appliances were repairable. During the diagnosis process with Ukon, my washer was ran to see exactly what was going on. Unfortunately the water would not go out. It stopped working completely.

On March 2nd Prestige Appliance called me stating they have the parts and asked if someone would be home so that he could come by and repair the machine. When Prestige came out again, he took the machine apart and reported to AHS that the machine was overloaded with a piece of clothing in the pump and therefore that is why the transmission stopped working. On March 6th AHS reached out to Prestige to get clarification from as either it is wear and tear or it was due to overload... which of course is not covered.

Today AHS called me to give me the great news that my machine is not covered. I asked how two companies can give conflicting diagnosis, but I got silence. Here is the caveat, Prestige Appliance said the machine is not working is due to wear and tear and overloading. AHS has offered me the cost of the parts of $81.78 to purchase a new washer through them or purchase a washer with a one year manufacturer's warranty and they will refund me the $81.78 with a receipt. I plan to call AHS back after being on hold and eventually hung up on, to request another contractor to diagnosis my dryer. I am scared I may get another diagnosis for my dryer. AHS has been a waste of money. I will probably cancel my account and just save the $38.99 in a savings account just for home repairs. It takes too long for the process, I would hate to think if the repair was a clogged toilet or tub.

The claim process was pretty easy. But the company that works with American Home Shield can be a little difficult with trying to take the call and work through the process of getting the repair. The last representative that I dealt with wasn’t courteous. The situation was that the person in the property had a young child and the place needed heat. And they couldn’t service it that night but they said, “If it's an emergency, you got to cancel the order and call us back.” He wanted me to do an expedited order. I believe he was saying that it should be in the policy of emergency situations, but I was never informed of that by the company.

I called them on a Friday but the call didn’t get through ‘til after 5:00. And they said that they were not able to go out there because the call was made after their closing hours. It became a little difficult because he didn’t wanna hear my concerns. So I just worked it out with the parent if they could take the young child to another home for that evening until the contractor can get out there, and they were able to make it happen. But overall, the experience that I've received from the time that I took out the policy until now, I would recommend American Home Shield.

American Home Shield was replacing my gas oven range but they were offering me something that I didn't feel was comparable. Moreover, they weren't listening to what I had to say and so I decided to purchase outside on my own. They told me I could just take pictures of my receipt then email it to them. And so, I submitted my claim today. Also, my interactions with their contractor haven't been very smooth. They tell you they're calling you and then they don't call. Also, I couldn't call them because I kept getting bounced back. Then, someone actually talks for the first time ever in years of using them. She was very helpful on the phone to give me her personal email address. Still, it was a drawn out process and I had no working oven for a very long time. It was ridiculous because I gave American Home Shield a lot of money for a lot of hassle. They are overrated.

On December 20th, I had put in a claim to American Home Shield for a fan above my stove that was non-functioning. I've called them 12 times and every time I called, I had to explain the same thing over and over again. They also sent me to purchasing and I got to explain everything to them. I was told to call Whirlpool to have them come out and pick up the unit and bring a new one. So, Whirlpool came out here and said they don't take the fan back. They thought they were coming out to pick up an appliance, and they were going to charge me a service fee for that. And then, American Home Shield called and said that they'll get rid of that and order a fan.

And then, I have to call the installer to have them come and install it when it comes here. I do not think I should be calling the company that's going to be replacing my fan. That should be taken care of by AHS. Unfortunately it's a product that hasn't been around for 20 years. The first product we got was damaged and we were going to be charged for restocking fee. It was not my fault it came damaged since it was packaged damaged. It's taking me six weeks to even get a response from them. So, it's very, very disconcerting that I paid this amount of money for AHS and I still do not have my fan fixed.

So far, everybody's been nice. They're trying to help me out but they're not communicating amongst themselves. I've had American Home Shield in the past and I've never had an issue with them before. I don't know if this happened to be because this product is such an old product and they can't find it. I'm very disappointed with them and I'm at the point where I might be changing companies whenever my contract is up.

We had a plumbing issue where our hot water wasn't working in the shower. I put in a ticket online with American Home Shield and within less than two days, we got someone out at the house and they fixed it. The contractor showed up at the time that they said they would. However, they had to come back because they needed a piece to fix it but they came back at a reasonable time. They were very professional and cleaned up after themselves. They were very thorough and told me exactly what they're gonna do. It's been a great experience so far. I recommend American Home Shield to a few people.

I submitted a claim with American Home Shield for a dishwasher. We were trying to find a vendor to come out and the rep said it’s going to take a little bit. And then they called me when they had a vendor available. After I looked up who that person was, I called them back and asked if they could find another vendor because I had read all the reviews about this vendor and they were not good. The rep said they couldn’t do that so we went ahead and used them.

The contractor came in, looked at the dishwasher and right away knew what the problem was. It was a very quick visit and my husband had no issues with them. The contractor said that they would order the parts. We told them that if it was going to be over $400, we did not want to put that much money in the dishwasher because it was old. So he said that they would make sure that AHS knew that.

Then AHS called us back and said that they couldn’t get the part. They emailed us back an option. It’s either they would bring the GE dishwasher that they picked out and install it from another vendor or they would give us $490 towards another dishwasher. So we went out and bought our own dishwasher and submitted the bill to them. I had called them and they said it could take up to 21 business days to get that paid, and it did. From reading all the reviews, I was pleasantly surprised that they took care of us without any issues. I never had to call them to ask where my check is.

I had some problem submitting a claim to AHS, but other than that, it was okay. The most recent claim I made was for the bathroom piping. The guy came out and he said he wasn't going to do anything unless it was leaking. But the reps and techs have been good. All in all, I was satisfied with my experience.

I called AHS for a plumbing service and they got people to come out and work on the pressure valve on the same day. I got rid of the first tech that came out as he told me he was coming back in an hour and I didn't see him in three hours, but a new tech was sent on the same day. The claims process was pretty fast and easy. The customer service was pretty good too. I couldn't get them before and would be on the phone for an hour, but now they changed and I only have to wait five minutes or so to talk to somebody.

My most recent experience was very good. I had some electrical work done. I put in an online claim and then I had a couple of different things that I needed fixed. Then the person called me and I walked him through on the phone and he came and he fixed them all. He was very good, polite, clean and was knowledgeable. So it was very positive. But I have had some experiences that were not as good. It all depends on the service that you’re trying to get done and the contractor that you are working with.

An instance where I was extremely unhappy with them was when I had a problem with my air conditioner and the contractor called me very quickly, they sent someone over and they then said they needed a part. Then I did not hear from them for a very long time. I couldn’t get the contractor on the phone and I had a very difficult time getting American Home Shield on the phone as well. There were waits of 45 minutes to an hour on hold for someone to answer the phone. There is no system to email them. You can put in a claim, but you can’t send an email asking for a follow-up on a contractor. So the only choice you have is to call the contractor or to call American Home Shield.

After they have left messages for the contractor, three times, I told them that I needed a resolution. What ended up happening was they sent another person back out and re-diagnosed my problem. This was in the summer and I was without air conditioning for a month. They completely diagnosed it differently than the first people that came and they ended up fixing it differently than what was originally recommended. So it started running, but I don’t know whether it was a patch or a repair or ultimately what happened.

Then I had another issue with my air conditioner at the end of the season. But because I spent six weeks without air conditioning I learned that I would want to get it fixed at the end of the season instead of waiting for the beginning of the season. I called them and told them that I would not use that same contractor and they honored my request. The contractor called me, but they couldn’t fix it because it had gotten too cold to get it fixed. So they said they had to come back, which I was fine with that response. I’ve been mostly happy with all of my claims, it was because of my issue with the air conditioning that tainted all the other ones.

I found a leak under the sink. It was in the evening, so I called AHS and left a message. They called me back and the gentleman came. We've had the same person a couple of times. He knew exactly what to do and was very professional. He cleaned everything up and I was very satisfied. I’ve always been happy with American Home Shield and I would gladly recommend them.

The most recent claim with American Home Shield was for a dishwasher. The spring that holds the door so that it goes up easily and closes popped off. So, the door was like a deadweight. You can lift it but you'd be surprised how heavy that door is without the spring. I submitted the claim online and scheduled it which was very easy. But it took the contractor maybe a week or longer before they got to me. It was really concerning because when I looked up the company, Google showed them as out of business. They obviously weren't out of business but they also obviously didn't give a ** about getting into 21st Century and update their information in Google for anybody else that might want to find them. So, right off the bat, I was a little like, "Hmm."

Then they came and they said they had to order a part and install it. Then when the part came, they had to turn the water valve off to the dishwasher so that they can install or check something but they couldn't turn the valve. I don't know what kind of person that services and or potentially install dishwashers can't turn a water valve on and off, and they were trying to do it with their hands when any normal person would have done it with a wrench. So then they put another call into American Home Shield and requested that a plumber be sent to my house to turn our water back. When the plumber came, he asked me what kind of idiots couldn't turn the valve and if they were trying to use their hands. He did it in literally two seconds and I don't believe that he was able to do so because he's a professional. I believe he did it in two seconds because he knew he couldn't do it with his hands.

Then I had to wait for a time for the other people to come back and try and do what they were trying to do in the first place. So,over that course of time, it had been about a month. Also during the time when they were there to first look at it, the knob that is the dial that shorts the cycle process fell off. It hadn't fallen off before, only since they touched the door, so I mentioned that to them at the time. So, when they came back they fixed everything that they said they needed to fix but they couldn't fix the knob. The knob was able to go back in but not securely.

Eventually the dishwasher was working again and the door was working again. But then, a week or two later, the knob fell off and was permanently unable to be put back on. So, I called American Home Shield again and notified them of this and said that since it was part of the initial issue that I brought up with the previous service from them, I needed something to happen with it. The only thing that American Home Shield wanted to tell me at that point was that I might have to pay for another service call to come out if the service person can't confirm that I brought it up to them. So, basically, they were telling me that if the moron, who tried to turn the valve off with their hands, didn't remember that we have this conversation, they were gonna take that moron's word against their own customer's and charge me another $100 for a plastic knob.

I eventually had a conversation with the people and they had to come back out again. They said that I definitely mentioned it to them before which I was thankful for. They were little difficult, at one point when I spoke with them. I had a little bit of a heated discussion with the rep but when they came back out they were nice. However they said they don't make this part. Basically, when there was a mechanical or structural thing wrong with my dishwasher that they keep sending me these idiots back to fix, for a plastic knob that can't be replaced I am now going to get a new dishwasher.

I've been away on vacation so I haven't given them all the paperwork I need to start that process which is fine, that's not on them. But now, I continue to get a bill for another $100 service call not for them coming out to the plastic knob but for the plumber that I didn't request. I just spoke to someone at AHS who seemed to have enough of a brain on them and I say that because I find that the level of CSR's at American Home Shield is absolutely horrible. Well, I didn't expect my experience to be overly awesome because it is an insurance company who looks for ways to every engagement to cost them the least amount of money possible. But they looked at my record and they saw I did not request the plumber so they would take care of it and I shouldn't worry. But then, two days ago I got another bill. So, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that since they move at the speed of snail as a company, that maybe it hasn't been rectified yet.

American Home Shield is okay if you're willing to deal with their ** and the fact that they're making blatantly clear they are an insurance company and trying to do the least expensive thing possible regardless of timeliness or without any real care for customer service or who they pick as their vendors.

There was an issue with our garbage disposal so we set up a claim online. American Home Shield reached out to a local plumbing company who then contacted us to set up an appointment. I got an e-mail from American Home Shield almost the same day that the company would be calling us in a couple of days. The first contractor wasn't the most helpful so AHS ended up having to send out a second contractor a couple of days later who ultimately diagnosed and repaired the problem that we had with the disposal. Although there was a hiccup at the beginning, AHS did right by us and had someone else come out and and leave us satisfied. My wife and I are very pleased that they were professional about it and it worked out nicely.

American Home Shield did the tub valve that was leaking down through the handle and there was one time it wasn’t flushing well, so they fixed that. They cleaned it out and replaced some parts. They also did a faucet repair and did an excellent job. I submitted my claims by phone and the reps took my information down and called the contractor. The contractor set up the date with us and came out as soon as we gave him a time when we were going to be here. He was courteous and professional. He did a very neat job and didn't leave any water trace behind on the floor. All in all, I'm happy with my experience with AHS and I would definitely recommend them to a friend.

The door hinge had broken on the washing machine and we submitted a claim online to American Home Shield. Then they picked a contractor who called me and came and I paid him the $100 deductible. I read all the terms and conditions, which if there’s a part that’s needed and he doesn’t have it then they will come back once the it is in and install it. And there will be no additional payments. It sounded very fair to me when I first signed up. So it turned out that he didn’t have the part. He said that he would order the part and for us to call the contractor when it was delivered. They ordered the part promptly and about three days later the part came in so I called them. They said, “Well, he can come in about 10 to 15 days.” We didn’t have the use of the washing machine so I said, “You can’t come any sooner?” They said that they were very booked up.

We waited for 10 days, and a different guy came. The first thing he did was take out his pad and said that I have to pay them $350 for the part and the service. I said “No, I don’t. I have insurance.” He asked me for my credit card and I said no. So that started the calls. He called his company and I called American Home Shield. It took us about a half an hour, back and forth, and we finally got it sorted out. He did a nice job installing it. I had no problems with that and everything is fine.

It seemed strange that we had to have that kind of dispute for no reason. We’re happy that AHS got it sorted out and the people they picked to service were very competent, but we're unhappy about the issues about the payment and the time delay. Other than that, everything was fine and they lived up to the policy, so I have no major issues. We’ll be staying with AHS.

The garbage disposal was leaking and we called American Home Shield to file a claim. The contractor they sent was good. The repair was perfect and it was short easy and done.

American Home Shield Company Profile