Call toll free
4.17/5
Based on 10,943 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. We service nearly 1.7 million customers across 49 states.

American Home Shield Video
American Home Shield Gallery (1)
BBBB Rating
View More View More

30379 American Home Shield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

My daughter had two calls to American Home Shield to submit the claims and their reps responded very accurately. When our hot water heater did not have enough electrical power for the unit that was in there, we traded it out for a regular water heater. The contractors who did it were great. However, the furnace person was horrible and the repair was disappointing because when the contractor came, looked and turned on the furnace to lit the gas as it was a propane, my daughter immediately ran out and said that it was not right and it had to be turned off. We were told that the furnace just needs to be cleaned. He did not think it was dangerous. We had a couple other furnace people look at it but we hired a second person on our own and did not put a claim after.

The second person said that it was dangerous and the electrical was feeding and that the furnace needed to be upgraded. So, the electrical that I had them put in and inspected was not enough to do the furnace and the hot water heater. The electrical company that came out was wonderful. Now, we have a new furnace and air conditioner that should be okay with the warranty. Everything is great at this point. American Home Shield responded quickly but it was the vendor that was not responsive. I am glad we have the insurance and I have recommended them. We got a good response and it alerted us to make sure that everything is on track. If we didn't have the insurance, we may have let it slide to a point that it became an emergency instead of getting it done when we should have.

Get expert buying tips about Home Warranties, Service Plans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Recently, I called in two claims to American Home Shield and I was on hold for a long time but I’m used to it being in the military. Other than that, once they got on the phone, it was easy and interacting with the rep was great. Getting a contractor out was super quick. The air conditioning guys were good and they fixed a lot of stuff. However, it took an extra week to get my part for the air conditioning and the water guy didn’t have the right equipment so I had to get somebody else to come out. Since then everything looks great. AHS came with our house when we bought it, so we’re probably gonna end up buying another year of it once the time comes.

American Home Shield response

Hello, Kevin. I am so pleased to know that your service requests have been resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for letting us know about your experience with AHS.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Our AC was on the fritz. It wasn’t just turning on and staying on, it was having trouble also starting. We figured it was some sort of electrical issue and I ran that by American Home Shield. I submitted the claim online and it was very easy. They contracted somebody to come and take a look, and I received a call for the scheduling. It worked out fine and the contractor was someone local. They were great, very helpful, and insightful. They knew what the issue was most likely going to be, given the age of our unit, so they went with the most probable root cause of what was going on. After they replaced a part, which is a small electrical thing, we’ve had flawless usage of the air conditioning since then. We now have a wonderful AC. Overall, I don’t want anything else to break given the price. But if it did, then I could rely on American Home Shield easily.

American Home Shield response

Hello, Alex. I am pleased to know that your A/C issue was resolved quickly. Thank you for the positive feedback.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Both times that I talked to the reps of AHS, they were great, easy to work with and very knowledgeable. However, the first contractor they sent from Sears, seemed a little rushed. He was allergic to cats and we have a lot of them because we deal with animal rescue. We always tell AHS when we make phone calls that if they have somebody that has allergies to animals not to send them, but they neglected to tell him that so it didn't work exactly right. The part they fixed worked fine, but the burner on the top of the stove was out of alignment. So I called them back and they sent somebody right back out. Everything is fine now. I would recommend AHS.

American Home Shield response

Hi, Walter. Thank you for always letting us know about the circumstances surrounding your home. Thank you for your positive feedback.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have issues with my plumbing pipe. The reason I bought the AHS warranty was because I knew that my main shoreline was gonna have to be replaced in an area, and I asked that question when I bought, and they said, "Oh yeah." But now they tell me nothing outside as a foundation is covered. So I was just kind of a little disappointed about that because now, I have a $17,000 project I need to pay for and I don’t have a warranty for it.

Other than that I called AHS to have someone snake my plumbing lines because I had a backup. AHS told me they couldn't get them right there but within 24 hours, they were there. The guy they sent was very nice and very informative. AHS called me yesterday and said the company had contacted them and they were real nice because they asked if we would be covered and apparently AHS would. And when they were told it wouldn't be covered, they gave AHS the estimate price and then American Home Shield called me with that information. I had another claim about a month ago and it worked out really well too.

American Home Shield response

Hello, Barbara. I apologize that you were misinformed about the plumbing coverage and thank you for your positive feedback.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

The customer service is horrible from this company, they have the worse employees and staff. These guys give the worse customer service. Clearly these are fake reviews. We bought this warranty based on the reviews on this site, however the reality is that they use contractors that have very low Yelp rating and they also have the worse customer service. Do NOT PURCHASE.

American Home Shield response

Hello, Mansoor. We regret to learn that you are not satisfied with the services that AHS provides. A Social Media team member will follow up with you directly to offer further assistance.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I had a leaking faucet and I called in a claim to American Home Shield. We submitted it on Saturday and we got a call from the vendor the next day. A day after that, they came out. They were courteous and took care of the problem. Everything was good. I’ve had AHS for several years now and I’ve never had a problem.

American Home Shield response

Hi, Darren. I am so happy to hear that someone actually called you on a Sunday to schedule service. Thank you for your patronage.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Our microwave oven stopped working. I filed a claim online and AHS sent somebody fast. The contractor they sent was good. It seemed to take a little while to get the parts and get the oven fixed, but other than that I've never had any problems. AHS provides good service.

American Home Shield response

Thanks for sharing your warranty experience Edouard. We look forward to handling your warranty needs. Have an amazing weekend!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I had a claim with American Home Shield for repairs for refrigerator, an icemaker and a mechanism on the door lock. They also determined that the appliance or refrigerator was still on an appliance warranty, so they got the refrigerator people to pay for it and it didn’t cost anybody anything. They also replaced the icemaker and the lock on the door. The lock didn’t work the first time, so they corrected it and put another one on it. Since then, it has been working fantastically. I'll do another policy with American Home shield as I'm fixing to sell the house and buy another one. However, I have to be very careful about understanding what the policy covers. The policy includes a lot of things, but they may or may not include a refrigerator in one of their little policy increases, so we have to watch what's included.

American Home Shield response

Hello, John. Thank you for letting us know how pleased you have been with your AHS warranty.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

My air conditioner had a leak. I called American Home Shield and submitted a claim. I spoke with the reps several times over a period of about a week. It was good and they did a great job. The only complaint that I would have is that on their 1-800 number when you call them, I remember waiting one night for an hour and 25 minutes on hold. But when I finally talked to them, they had somebody call me the very next morning.

The contractor came out within a couple of hours after they called me. We identified what the problem was and then it got slow. I guess the contractor had to submit the claim back to American Home Shield. So I’m kind of at a loop at that point. I didn’t hear anything for 24 hours, so I called. My understanding was I was supposed to call the contractor. It was the first time I’ve ever used it, so I was a little confused.

When I called the contractor, they said that I didn’t really deal with them and that I would deal with AHS. So, I called AHS and they said I didn’t have to deal with them but with the contractor. The contractor submitted the claim and then they contacted me, and if I accept their bid, there's a $75 fee that I had to pay to American Home Shield. It got a little confusing for me because I don’t know if the contractor just hadn’t been used that much. They didn’t seem to be familiar with how the process work.

I’m very pleased with AHS for standing behind and honoring the contract and taking care of the air conditioning issue. But it took about seven days before I had the AC repaired and this was in the summertime. Once the contractor got it right to submit the bid with AHS, they thought AHS had to order the parts. So I waited a day or two on that. I called the contractor and they said they were waiting on AHS to order the parts. I called AHS and waited on the phone again. When I finally got ahold of them, they said they don’t order the parts and that the vendor orders them. So there was a delay because there was some confusion on the vendor’s part.

The vendor did a good job, but they didn’t seem like they were familiar with how everything worked and it seemed to drag things out a little bit. But it wasn’t all their fault. From the time they started, they had to wait for an approval from AHS, and from the time that all these were done, it was a 48-hour period before it was approved.

After the repair, the AC has been working great. I like AHS. They didn’t give me a hard time when I started making an insurance claim. They were very helpful and they never balked at paying for anything or taking care of the issue. I’m satisfied with the fact that with the amount of money I’ve been paying for a year plus since I’ve been in this, they did a good job. I would highly recommend AHS. It’s a great deal for what you pay, and they’re gonna take care of your home warranty needs.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

The clothes washer broke last year and it took three months to get it fixed. Luckily, I had two so I didn't panic. When the first provider came, he couldn't figure out what was going on. Then a second one came here and he said he knew what was going on but he was not authorized to order the part. He said he could have gotten the part the next day but AHS changed the policy and disallowed service providers to order the parts. He would have to submit it for AHS to order the part and that would take one week. This procedure prolonged the time we had to wait. AHS probably overlooked the term of the contract. When we signed up, they did not say we would have to wait this long. When we have something broken, we have to wait an unlimited amount of time. They are supposed to have a time limit.

With my nightmare with the clothes washer, I thought I'd better buy a new refrigerator, just in case. I recently found out that my refrigerator is not cooling. The one in the kitchen, which is older, also has an ice maker that is not working. I filed the claim online and I was told that the service provider would contact me. They did but they told me that in my area, I would have to wait 20 days for the refrigerator. That is too late. What kind of warranty is that? The contract didn’t say they could wait this much time. I discussed this issue with AHS one time and they mentioned reasonable time. But what is reasonable time? In this aspect, they are breaking the terms of the contract.

I had to call AHS back and ask them to find another contractor, and it took them 16 hours on the phone. Yesterday, the contractor came here and decided that the control board is broken. They're gonna replace that. The contractors sent by American Home Shield are good but there was one that said I couldn’t deal with them directly. They said that I would have to call AHS and AHS would have to order. It took me 16 hours to get a hold of American Home Shield on the phone and while I was waiting, the phone was hung up two times.

I wish AHS can work on their phone. When you call, they say that they are helping others and you have to wait in line. But they have me wait totally. When you call the IRS or the California Franchise Tax Board, they would ask you to leave your name and phone number and they would call back. That way, I wouldn’t have to spend eight hours on the phone. That’s terrible. I'm really debating with myself whether I should continue with AHS next year. With the long time I spent on claims, is it worth it?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

The AC/Electric heat keeps failing during high usage season (when is too cold or too hot and runs for longer periods). This is the third time requesting the service and every time I have to pay the service. They only give you 2 months guarantee for the repair and last service expire just 5 days ago so they said it is already expired! So I have to pay again the service fee.

American Home Shield response

I certainly hate to hear that you have received less than satisfactory service. A social media specialist will follow up with you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

We had an air conditioning issue and a heating issue so it needed to be replaced, and American Home Shield wouldn’t replace it. But what they did was gave me a credit for a new one for the cost of actually fixing that one because they could have fixed but it had some age on it. I was happy with that. I did the initial request online and the actual claim was submitted by the technician. I was very pleased with him. He was responsive. But the biggest hassle with American Home Shield is that they allow 24 hours for the contractor to contact you. So that just kind of makes emergencies not really doable.

It wasn’t an emergency in this case because the weather wasn’t bad at the time, but it could be. I can imagine plumbing issues and I don’t like that about American Home Shield. But I felt like the technician really knew what he was doing. He was very nice about helping me out with the claim. He did a good job when they came back and replaced it. I would definitely recommend AHS for new homeowners.

American Home Shield response

Hello, Rebecca. Thank you for letting us know that your A/C service request was handled efficiently. Although we do state to allow the technician 24 hours to contact you, if there was ever an actual emergency, such as a plumbing leak that you could not turn off and it was causing damage, we can always try to get someone out the same day. Thank you for your patronage.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I had a stoppage in my kitchen sink and American Home Shield sent Kiley & Sons quick. They came in on time and just kept working at it until finally got the sink to drain. I was happy with it. AHS has been my warranty service since I've lived out here for 18 years and I refer them whenever I can.

American Home Shield response

Hello, Anthony. 18 years?! That is amazing! Thank you for your many years of patronage and for referring us to your family and friends.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Submitting the claim with American Home Shield for the motor on my pool suite over the phone was easy and the contractor they sent out was honest and upfront. He followed through with everything he said. When he said that it would take a week, he had me up and running in one week. And there has been no issues with the motor since. Compared to the service I had prior to them, I was very pleased.

American Home Shield response

Great Manuel! That's what we like to hear. We look forward to handling your warranty needs. have an amazing weekend.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

American Home Shield repaired my stand-alone ice maker last week. But they had trouble finding the part and the repair took a long time. It took about a month before they finally found one and got it to the appliance company that installed it. My experience working with the contractor was very good and the ice maker has been working since then. It makes ice. But I don't have a contract with American Home Shield anymore. I had one for my property in Houston and one property out in Bellville. But I didn’t renew the contracts for either property. I had been a customer for about 20 years but all of a sudden, they started doubling the cost for me. I guess it was because I had a claim and I think that’s unrealistic.

Plus in the process of getting a repair, it takes the contractor a tremendous amount of time on hold. Then the contractors would complain that they don’t really wanna work with American Home Shield because they can’t spend their day on hold trying to get approvals. It was the same for me when I would make a claim. I would spend up to three hours at times, on hold and waiting for a representative.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Terrible service. Terrible company. Have had AHS for years, paying premiums, and the one time it's an emergency they give me the runaround. Do not choose this company. "We have no contractors right now. Wait 24 hours then you can call your own contractor and we will reimburse you at some point." By that time we might freeze to death!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Called to request repair service for our non working central AC system that just happened this Saturday morning. Was informed that although AHS takes requests for service 24/7, there is no guarantee I will receive service this whole weekend. I informed the phone screener that we were having a large party here at our home and I need the AC to be working. We live in FL! She gave me the number of World Class AC Inc, who the service request was sent to. I phoned them, got a recording, left my information, so far have not received a callback. At this point, AHS has been a total waste of time and money. I need this fixed now! I have called our AC company, Energy Air, that we have a maintenance agreement with since we moved in, 2 months ago. I got a recording, left my information and my call was returned within 10 minutes. The technician will be here in an hour with a service call fee of only $15 more than AHS. This is what I call service!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I went online and requested service with American Home Shield for my washer. It stopped working on a Sunday night, which is usually when we do our laundry, so it was a bit of an inconvenience. Greenway Home Services contacted me the next day to set up the appointment and it was easy. The service person was wonderful. He was really professional, friendly and nice. My only complaint is the contractors give a four-hour appointment window which, for someone who is very busy and has children and work, is very difficult to accommodate.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I filed a claim over a month ago for a blower issue on my heating/air. I had to call the Heating and Air Guys, they didn't call me. The problem started on a Saturday and they came out 4 days later. It was sort of limping along at this point, but I explained to the tech that the AC side was not blowing very cold but the heat side was not blowing heat at all. I explained to him that I didn't want there to be a problem when it got into the winter months. His diagnosis was a pinhole in the line and I needed freon. AHS only pays $10 per pound for this and I had to pay the difference to them (contractor). OK great. He told me if it happened again within 60 days, I can just call them directly and I didn't have to go back through AHS. So a couple weeks later...same thing happened. Only they won't answer the phone or call me back.

I contacted AHS and days later the contractor comes back. I told them it was doing the same thing only now it's cold out so it's the heat that's not blowing. He acted like we'd never had this same discussion recently and tells me I may have to pay another $100 service fee. Why? You haven't fixed anything yet. He tried to say I called them originally for an AC charge. I did??? He tests some things and determines what part he needs and tells me they will order it on Monday. Fast forward 9 days later and a few un-returned messages later...I get a text @ 2:30 saying they'll be at my house between 5 and 7. Short notice, but great. He puts the part in and it doesn't work and he can't figure any of it out. He calls the owner who says he'll be back tomorrow @ 3:30. I haven't seen him yet and he didn't call to say he wasn't coming. He won't answer my calls or call me back.

All I keep hearing from AHS reps is that they are sorry and they understand it's going to be cold out but I have to wait another 24 hours for the contractor to call me. Why??? I expected them yesterday and they didn't show or call. And they claim they can't find another contractor to come out. I have the parts, I just need them put in. AHS makes sure they collect their service fee and monthly payment, but they don't stand with you when you're being taken advantage of by their contractors. These cut-rate contractors are representatives of AHS and you would think they would be better vetted. I'm not sure I'll be a customer of AHS much longer. Making this right will determine.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

When we did laundry, the washing machine would drain, but it would drain into the basement floor so the drain sack. Then some of our floor drains in the basement were clogged apparently. When we purchased the home, we knew we had the warranty. We called American Home Shield and they said that they will be in touch with the contractor, Hensley Plumbing. Their technician contacted us, looked at it and told us what was going on. We paid out $75 deductible online, then he came, did the repairs, put a dent in, rooter the drain, and everything has been perfect. He was prompt, thorough and did a very good job. It was a very positive interaction with American Home Shield.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I submit claims to American Home Shield online usually and they respond between 48 to 72 hours. It's quick. Then, the company would send me back a confirmation number and I would get a call from whoever they decide to send in that they're coming out and would take care of it. In all the years that we've lived here, I've only had one issue in the beginning with the contract they sent out. We made American Shield aware of it and they took care of the situation and we never had to deal with that person again. Overall, all the other ones we've ever needed have been excellent.

Most recently, the garage door wasn't opening on well. Phillips Garage Door had been here before and did some work on us about a year or two ago. American Home Shield sent them out again and they fixed everything real good. American Shield has been very good about responding to our need. They’ve really stepped up to provide us with the service as fast as they could to make sure we would not be uncomfortable or any situation.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I filed a claim with my dryer and my washer. One went out first and then about a week later, the other one went out. I think one of those things was caused by the other. That was like a weird coincidence. I get online to submit a request and within a couple of days, they send me a text. And then they’ll handle it. If they have to order parts, they order parts. Then they’ll come back to fix once the parts arrive.

I had three claims. Two of them were great and one wasn’t. The one that fixed my washer, I wasn’t really happy with. So I asked American Home Shield that I wish not to use the company, and they said that would be fine. The one contractor that they sent out said I had to remove the washer from the slot. I had to bring it out for them. I had to have everything around clear for like two feet, so they can work around it. The other repairman who came for my dryer said that my washer didn’t need to be moved, just like they wanted it. We were without a dryer for a couple of days, but the process was pretty fast. Everything else has been really good.

American Home Shield response

Hi, Miguel. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We're pleased to hear that when you were unsatisfied with a contractor, we assured you that you would not have to use them in the future.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I had an electric problem. I started the claim online, but I wound up over the phone as I did not wanna use the person that American Home Shield assigned me to on the computer. I explained that I had the other provider and was not satisfied, that I wanted to use someone else, and they gave it to me immediately. I called the contractor the people on the line were very good. I talked to them as I had one minor problem, there were tornado warnings in the area, so they didn’t come when they were originally supposed to, but they came at a time that was convenient for me the next day. The serviceman that came out was a delight. I was a little bit concerned ‘cause I knew the problem I had was not too much in the ordinary, and he seemed rather young. But he knew what he was doing, was extremely polite, and my other amazement, he refused a tip. I've had some very good results with AHS even though there was one that did not get done to my satisfaction.

American Home Shield response

Hi, Joanne. It is refreshing to hear that once you advised us about a particular company, we were able to send someone else out with no frustrations. Thank you for your positive feedback!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

One time, American Home Shield changed the garbage disposal in my rental property. When I submit claims to them, I just call and they take care of everything. I have them on my properties for less than a year and having it was wonderful. I'm very pleased with them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I got a dryer and a dishwasher repair done through AHS. They were very attentive and knowledgeable when I submitted the claims. One of my qualms was the first time, the contractor came out, he didn’t fix the dryer. They said it was a ventilation problem. So the next time, he came out about the dishwasher, I just went ahead and had him look at the dryer again, told him that there wasn’t anything wrong with the vent, and they were able to fix it. But it was past 60 days, so I had to pay the service fee. When the technician came, he looked at everything and said he had to order parts. He probably wasn’t there 20 minutes and he has done a good job.

However, they set me with an appointment and the repair service people have 48 hours to get in contact with me, but I’ve had a lot of cases where it took longer than that for those guys to come out to the house. I’ve been put on hold for a week or two, before they can even do the first visit. But that's the only downside that I see to it. They don’t really work around your schedule. They tell you when they can come and they give like a four hour window and tell you that you have to be there in such hours, which makes it hard also. I hope the service people could respond quicker. Once I get the email from American Home Shield, I go ahead and call them on the first day to set an appointment. Most of the time when I call, they say they didn’t know that. They had to look it up. The longer it takes them to realize they got a claim, the longer it takes for them to call me and do the service.

My air conditioner broke down on the summertime. They were booked, so I ain’t have air for three weeks. When they came out they said I needed a new unit. So they had to call American Home Shield to get authorization to replace it. Once they got authorization, AHS had to send them the unit and then they had to put the unit up. Then they had to find a time they were available, within their schedule, to come out and do it. Nonetheless, they replaced stuff that needed to be replaced.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I had a plumbing issue. I submitted a claim online with AHS and I did that because on the phone, I would end up waiting very long to speak to somebody. Their process is more geared to be done online and in theory, you don’t need to speak to somebody because they have to contact a contractor to come out anyway. Their website is very user-friendly and even if you don’t remember your sign in details, you just have to type in your address and some other information that you should know.

The tech who came out for my claim was very good. He got it resolved on his first visit and didn’t have to come back. He was also very polite, very skilled, and when he came in, he saw what the problem was. I thought that it was worse than it was but he took care of it. We'll have to wait and see though. I got a whole year if something goes wrong because it was a leak dripping from a bathtub off the top into the ceiling in my garage. I wanna cut away the sheetrock myself and take a look up in there to see.

I have American Home Shield on this particular home for over eight years now and they have saved me countless money. In the first year, I didn’t have to pay for it because the people I bought the house from had it for the first year. At the time, I had to replace my AC compressor and when I asked the tech how much that would have been if I didn’t have American Home Shield, he said that would been an $1,800 repair. So, I was quite happy to have the warranty. Then I had to replace my pool pump and that would have been $300 to change. But all that it cost me was the service charge. So, it's a fairly cheap insurance for a house that’s over 20 years old.

American Home Shield response

Hello David. Your review makes me happy. We appreciate your patronage and hope that you continue to allow AHS to shield your home for many years to come.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Our air conditioning unit was not cooling. It was in August and it gets 115 here in August. We have two units. The other unit was working, but it was working at full blast because we have a 2,500 square foot home. We had a couple of fans and we closed off some of the rooms that aren't used. American Home Shield sent their contractor, Argo, and they were very good. They were very cordial and respectful. We had to get a new one and we had to order it which took exactly two weeks. First, the claim had to go in, and AHS approved it because the unit was 12 years old. Everything went along, then they had to get it shipped. Argo had to make plans to come out and put it in for us. Everybody was very helpful and courteous, and we have two working units now. I'm glad I got the policy. We were very pleased with the whole incident from start to finish.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

When my stove stopped working, American Home Shield's response was quick. I go online when filing claims because it's easier. A technician from Sears came and he was very talkative. But he knew what he was doing and he did a good job. A part had to be ordered and the following week, the technician came back. The stovetop has been working. I’m very satisfied so far.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I’ve always been extremely satisfied with the service that I’ve gotten from American Home Shield. When our toilet kept running and wouldn't shut off, we filed an online claim and their contractor, Drain Go, came. Whatever they did worked and the toilet quit running after one appointment.

American Home Shield expert review by Michele Lerner

American Home Shield (AHS) was founded in 1971 and is part of the ServiceMaster family of companies. AHS provides warranty coverage to 1.7 million customers across the United States, and the company has paid out $2 billion in home warranty claims since 2013. The company offers customizable plans to meet most consumers’ needs and budgets.

• High coverage limits: AHS covers up to $3000 in repair or replacement costs for many covered appliances and the company will spend up to $250 to obtain needed permits or to correct code violations.

• Choice of plans: Customers can choose to cover just their systems or appliances or save money with a combination policy; completely customized warranty programs are also available.

• Accessibility: Customers can call for service 24 hours a day, seven days a week; service requests are typically filled within 48 hours.

• Service fees: Consumers choose between policies with a $75, $100 or $125 service fee. Warranties with lower service fees will have higher premiums, so customers can select the plan that works best for their budget.

• Service providers: AHS works with over 14,000 local contractors to make service repairs. The company monitors consumers’ reviews of contractors to ensure AHS warranty holders only work with qualified service providers.

• Best for: home sellers, first-time homebuyers, owners of older homes and real estate agents.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

American Home Shield Company Information