toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I've been a customer of American Home Shield for about five months now and have had two small claims with them. One was for a gas range and the other one was for our heating. The reps have been very responsive. They had somebody call me back within a day to set up an appointment, then the contractors came over. For my heating issue, a sensor went bad and was replaced. It was fixed on the spot, which was pretty good. As for my gas range claim, the contractor had to order a part, and it took about two weeks to get it in. But once the contractor got the part, he came over and was able to fix it. Both contractors that I got were excellent, very knowledgeable, and got to the bottom of the problem pretty quickly. Both issues were corrected and my experiences so far have been good.

I bought the house in June and signed up with American Home Shield. We had a claim for our pool and submitted the claim online. The claims process was easy and their website was user-friendly, and then I got responses about it immediately. I've already recommended American Home Shield to friends.

I called American Home Shield because the dishwasher was leaking and it was an emergency. They got somebody out here within two hours. The repairmen who came out were polite, did the job and cleaned up after themselves. They were quick about it and we've had no problems since the repair.

My furnace went out when it was really cold (of course). It is 20 years old and I was afraid it wouldn't be fixable. After it was repaired the first time, it went out again a few days later. The contractor was back out here, at no extra cost, to work on it again. He did a lot of work on it and it has been running great ever since. He was quiet, polite and did the work efficiently. This happened over the Thanksgiving holiday, too, so I did wait an extra day for the repair.

Built in microwave went out and had to be replaced. Ours was a stainless steel model and we had to pay an upgrade for the replacement. White or black did not match our other appliances - I guess we misunderstood the rules for replacement. We ordered the exact model for replacement and had to pay extra - make sure you understand that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

We had just purchased a home, started getting colder out. Turned boiler on, did not work. Called AHS, customer service was very helpful. Found a service provider just a few miles away. 2 days later they were here and fixed it. They were wonderful, great people. They were so polite, clean. They cleaned up everything. Great experience from AHS, and contractor.

Customer service was very helpful and answered all of my questions very well. When I was not satisfied with my first contractor who was going to take over a week to come look at an electrical issue, they had no problem sending another one, who was great, professional and caring. Very satisfied. Good experience so far!

I had a problem with my microwave. It caught fire and I placed a work order with AHS to have it serviced. The technician came out and looked at the unit and determined that the product was not operational. Within about a week I had a new microwave installed. The microwave I received was very comparable to the one that broke. It has a few more features than the one it replaced.

Thanks for the great water heater. The contractor was efficient. However, the only downside was the 2-3 days without hot water. Our hot water was replaced and the only out of pocket was the upgrade. I would think this should be covered since it is the only way the heater could be installed (this was the reason for a 4 star). Overall, good experience, but was hoping for great.

I normally submit claims online but when I had a lot of plumbing problems, I called since I don't know how to submit multiple problems online. AHS sent somebody who came within two days and was really good. He had to order some parts, came back the next day and it was all fixed. I only had to pay one service fee. Another issue was when my stove broke. They tried to repair it several times but they couldn’t and so they replaced it. Overall, they were very efficient and fast in terms of making the claim and the turnaround to repair.

The contractor that came out to fix my garage door was very personable, he arrived to fixed the door within the allotted time, he knew what the problem was right away, he fixed it, and was on his way.

American Home Shield

Hi Jason-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

Recent situation with AHS with hot water heater replacement. After several calls and 2 weeks finally got someone out the replace leaking hot water heater. The technician informs us that it is not covered and the cost would be $1400. Upon talking with AHS hot water heater and installation is covered but they require all these modifications which total $1400. AHS rep list what will be required none of which effects the current system that was functional. Furthermore some of the item listed were already in place. Complete scam. Called local plumber and guess what cost for hot water heater and installation was $1300. Stay away.

American Home Shield

Hi Jonie-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

I have several properties with AHS for many years and the ones in remote areas often have trouble getting technicians to come out. Definitely don't buy AHS unless you know for sure there are vendors in every trade willing to work with AHS. Even the ones sent from big cities tend to be of lower quality. And dealing with customer service is painful. Buy good quality and brand of appliances from the beginning and maintain them properly. Learn to repair simple things yourself. If you can afford the repairs and occasional replacements, don't buy home warranties at all - in the long run you will save money. How do insurance/warranty companies stay in business if customers get a better deal? This would be my advice for my own kids.

American Home Shield

Hi Christy--I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Our experience with AHS has been awful. We have had the runaround from so many people at AHS that we can't keep track. So many broken promises to have supervisors call back, requests for information ignored and email not answered. AHS makes it impossible to talk with anyone who can help remedy the situation. Correspondence is signed by a person but you have no contact information to speak to them and if you do, then phone messages are ignored. After 3 months, they basically say, "Sorry but we can't help you anymore" and hang up. We still are in disagreement with the repair denial (see below) but we have no way to speak with anyone of any importance. One phone to customer service actually resulted in the representative giving us a fake 866 phone number for some random survey company.

Our complaints stem from a repair request. Bought home in May. In October, the gas pool heater would not work. Called and technician #1 came to the house. He was able to get the pool heater working but a leak was then discovered. He reported to AHS outrageously high chemical levels in the pool with caused damage to the heater. AHS called the next day to deny our repair due to improper chemical imbalance. This didn't sound right so we had our pool tested 24 hours later and chemicals tested within normal ranges. A second opinion was done by technician #2 a week later. He tested the pool and showed me that all levels were within normal ranges. Again, AHS denied the repair due to chemical imbalance. We submitted paperwork to AHS disagreeing with their denial.

Since we purchased the house, we continually had the water tested to show there were no outrageous chemical levels. Most were within normal ranges. When the pH was high, we followed the recommendations to return the pool to correct chemical balance. They still denied the claim. Our argument is simple. We maintained the pool correctly since we purchased the home and did not cause the damage. We purchased the home warranty to protect ourselves from the unknown. After independently reviewing the 2 pool companies that AHS sent, complaints are a common theme when AHS is involved. I question the qualifications and validity of the information submitted to AHS. Both companies also refuse to give us any information regarding the service calls that we paid for.

American Home Shield

Hi Nitesh-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I have been AHS customer for over 2 yrs and my machine broke in Nov-16. The technician have visited our house over 15 time wasting 2 hours each time and It's Feb and the machine has not been fixed. One time he came he ordered switchboard but when parts came he took it and said the switchboard is ok. Next time he came said water line not open fully so he turn water line to max and left. I am wasting hours going to laundry washing clothes for last 3 months. Then I have to call AHS and stay on phone for 30 mins for last 3 months to recall the tech. Then I need to call tech company to call and make appointments. For 2 days in a row the tech made no call no show and left us waiting. We have to take time from work and school to be home and this is what we get. Next time the tech said they need to replace water hose. Technician replaced water switch but still the problem exists. Horrible experience.

American Home Shield

Hi Larry-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

I received an American Home Shield home warranty as a "gift" from my realtor. I have renewed the contract for 3 years. The service has always been difficult requiring multiple requests to get work done. This past year my contract renewed automatically. I have placed two requests. The first for a washing machine which suddenly began making considerable noise. A Sears service call was scheduled and the repairman suggested repairs which were denied by AHS as they "do not make repairs for noise." I would have to wait for the washer to stop working.

The second request was for a pool heater that was no longer working. A repair was scheduled but the first and second contractors said they no longer do business with AHS. When I called AHS they said the request was with dispatch and suggested I call back the next day. I did so on 3 separate days and each time after a 15-30 minute wait I was told I would have to wait for them to find a contractor. I then requested my contract be cancelled and arranged for repair of the pool heater myself. So all payments to AHS result in no service for these two covered appliances. I did have to pay an additional $100 service fee for the Sears service call. I suggest you "self insure" rather than do business with AHS.

Usually when I file a claim at American Home Shield, 5 to 10 minutes and it’s over. Plus the technicians have been great. They’ve been helpful, they’ve worked with us and they’ve been pretty snappy about everything too. I’m very impressed with the service and I’m glad that we have the warranty with them.

American Home Shield

Hi Eli-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I had a fire in my dryer a few days ago. A service guy came down today to look at it. He said he doesn't know how or why it started, however lint is always a possibility. AHS now declined the claim saying it is negligence. Even though the service guy could not say that is what it is. I myself always clean out the lint and therefore know it was not negligence. I would not recommend this company!!!

American Home Shield

Hi Ingrid-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

Lengthy Refrigerator Repair - We have been a customer for over 5 years. In November of 2016 our refrigerator was not cooling/freezing properly. We contacted AHS and schedule an appointment with a mechanic. They did their assessment, worked for about an hour and asked us to wait 48 hours to see if it cooled/froze properly. We called back and advised AHS that the refrigerator was still not cooling properly. To make a long story short, we are on visit #7 along with two no shows even though appointments were scheduled and AHS confirmed such. Our refrigerator is still not working properly and it is now February 2017.

AHS has not offered any recourse or explanation for this terrible service. We have had other smaller repairs in the past years with no issues whatsoever. We have asked AHS how they plan on resolving the issue and it seems as though they want to keep dragging this out. It makes me as a loyal customer question their integrity and intent. Retaining your customer base should be a priority. I am very unhappy.

American Home Shield

Hi Alison-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

We have two dishwashers in our house. The first Miele dishwasher died in mid-June 2016, and we were able to order a replacement and were reimbursed approx. $800 for the total $1600.00 cost. The second dishwasher died in October 2016. I have been unable to get a replacement so far, first because it took almost 3 months for the repairman to state it was not repairable. Now AHS is giving me the runaround saying that the new dishwasher I ordered is not exactly the same as the old dishwasher.

I ordered the same dishwasher as I ordered in June, but this time they are refusing to reimburse me - even though they only cover $800.00 - as I need to order a more expensive model with a water softener to exactly match the old dishwasher that died. They are not honoring their warranty agreement. I'm not sure why they reimbursed me the first time without any complications, and this time it has taken forever to get the replacement and now they are not even going to reimburse me the 800! They are like the big insurance company in the Incredibles, where they just deny and delay and hope you will go away.

American Home Shield

Hi Rhonda-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I am giving my experience a 1 star. The reason I am only giving it one star is because I don't feel the representative asked enough questions in order to put in a service request. I called because my pipe was frozen. I informed her that the pipe had burst. This company does not cover busted pipes. I read my contract before calling in the request and I didn't see any mention of frozen pipes not being covered. The representative should have asked me if the pipe was frozen in order to save me the service charge of $125. What other reason would there be for a busted pipe? I tried to get this resolved. The person that called me back after weeks of waiting said they would not waive my $125 fee because I indicated the pipe was busted and not frozen. Even if they are not willing to refund the entire $125, they should be willing to cover half. Excuse me for not having a plumbing vocabulary.

I had an issue with the plumbing in my basement so I called American Home Shield to send a contractor to check. I set an appointment and the following day after I set the appointment, I had a different emergency in the house not related to my first call. So, I called them again to ask for an expedited service. They came the following day and checked the problem, and it was solved.

American Home Shield

Hi Alicia-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

AMS has been the absolute worst home warranty company I have ever had to deal with. They catch you at first with their low introductory rate and promises of smooth sailing throughout your time as their customer, pick your due date, etc. Load of lies! I left First American Home Warranty and signed up with this company. My first bill, my payment was not on the date I selected when I first started, they took payments out every month at a different time even after I called and changed it and caused me to overdraft 2 times because of automatic draft.

So then I call in Jan 2017 to cancel, and requested my Jan payment to be refunded, I was told I had to contact their Retention Dept to get my refund. I spent 45 minutes on hold and no one ever picked up the line! (100% Customer Service, huh.) So now my contract is canceled and so is the auto draft. Come Feb 2017 another payment is taken out (guess they didn't cancel as promised), good thing I watch my bank account like a hawk!

Called AHS, I was told the customer service rep I spoke to made a note but never canceled the contract or auto-payment, and then was told that customer service can't do that, it has to be the retention dept! So I get transferred to the all powerful "retention dept" and automatically get hung up on! Nice, there's another 100% customer satisfaction! I call the dept myself, (glad I asked for the number before I was transferred) waited on hold 20 minutes and finally got a live person. I proceed to explain all the details of the nightmare I've dealt with, with this company, and he agrees to refund my Feb payment, but NOT the Jan payment..

I argued that I canceled it at the beginning of Jan and that I did not use the entire month's services and that at least I should be prorated, NOPE! When you sign that contract, apparently if you break the agreement they charge a management fee, which is the price of one month's worth of service, so they basically stole my January payment for canceling on them because this entire experience has been horrific! I guess as hard-working people trying to keep afloat, provide for your family and keep your home secure, you even get crapped on by your home warranty company that says they are there to HELP! Thank God I never had to file a claim...

The most recent experience I had was for our HVAC unit last year. The contractor was very professional and fixed the issue. I don't recall having any problems at all, other than having to wait for parts to be received so that the unit could be repaired. That process seemed to take more time than should have been necessary, but I don't fault the contractor for that. I believe that is an AHS procedure issue.

American Home Shield

Hi Rich-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

Very disappointed and annoyed after 5+ yrs of home warranty contract,. I called them to fix our gas hot air heater upstairs and the tech notes the gas valve is damaged and need replacement. But they deny it, due to the house was built in 80s and they only did one drainage, and now the code is to have two drainage. As such the 2nd drainage is missing, as per their tech who visited my house on Friday. How do you deny gas valve replacement for that? I'm shocked and canceled the policy. Had the similar experience few yrs ago with electric switch boxes. Had it enough with AHS and canceled the policy. Very disappointing... and they charge to cancel the policy and no refunds? How's that allowed by CFPB???

American Home Shield

Hi Alex-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your service. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

American Home Shield is aware that my Samsung fridge has a leak and are not willing to approve for the proper repair. They have sent numerous technicians to simply refill fridge with coolant instead of fixing leak. I have had to pay spoiled grocery bills three times. On 2/01/2017 I received another call from my tenant regarding the fridge not cooling. I called American Home Shield again and scheduled N & K APPLIANCE SERVICE (469-471-2651) to come and fix fridge. My guess is that they will refill coolant and call it fixed and in a couple of months refrigerant will leak into the atmosphere. This is not sustainable.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

American Home Shield

Hi Louise-I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your account. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

We have used American Home Shield for many years, but our renewal for 2017 went really wrong. I called customer service to set up my payment plan for the year. On the "recorded" line I stated I wanted to debit my account on the 3rd of each month for 42.83. However, on the 2nd of the month, my account was debited for a full quarter 128.50. I made 3 calls, all at least 45 minutes to resolve the issue. In the end I was informed that ALL they could do is not bill me until next quarter. I refuse to do business with a company that has unethical business practices and want other people to know of their practices.

We had to have our AC looked at and of course it was in the middle of summer, 100 Plus degrees outside on a Saturday. They showed up promptly on Monday and we able to service and repair at no additional cost other than the 75.00 service charge. We are so thankful for our American Home Shield.

I have used American Home Sheild on a few different occasions. The last time I believe was when my air conditioner was making a rattle sound. I called American Home Shield and the operator who took my call was very precise with information. The contractor was timely, fixed the problem and even took some time to tell us about routine maintenance on the air conditioner. He was nice and clean.

The repairman called me the very next day and came to look at my freezer, found the problem and has kept in touch with me about the next steps on getting the appliance back up and running. Incredible service.

American Home Shield Company Profile