toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

American Home Shield has dramatically improved their customer service. It is now possible to get someone on the phone and they work hard to help you work with the repair people. For a few years I was very disappointment but for the past year they have really worked hard to do better and I appreciate it.

I found the staff and their partner contractors at AHS to be very responsive. I've experienced good, reliable service in every instance. As a realtor AND a multiple homeowner, I recommend this company above all others for warranty service.

I submitted a claim online with American Home Shield for the refrigerator. Their website is easy to access and to understand. The repair person who came out was very friendly. I would recommend them to a friend.

My most recent experience with AHS was when a service rep phoned me to inquire if I was going to renew. Now this was not long after having a trouble call completed on my AC system. My trouble call was handled quickly and efficiently. What I liked was that after using my home insurance/warranty you were not calling me to drop me but to continue providing me with coverage. I am in the process of putting my home up for sale and plan to pass this warranty on to the new owners.

Over a holiday weekend, our refrigerator gave its last blast of cold air. AHS worked non-stop to provide the quickest possible service. The contractor showed up on time and provided professional service that determined the refrigerator was beyond economical repair. We purchased a new unit, sent to receipt to AHS and was sent a very fair settlement.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

American Home Shield

Hello Chana, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

After spending 3 1/2 hours on hold; 1 hour 1/2 each attempt, and 2 service calls, I have yet to receive a date/time for my hot water heater replacement. It's been almost 2 weeks since I've had hot water. I have 5 disconnected calls, no return calls when I am final able to get an operator on the phone, and I really feel as though patience and courtesy on my end is resulting in poor service on the other end. No customer should have to endure lengthy phone calls, lack of response and poor service from a company that boast its service as #1 for home warranty. I will be reaching out to News4 regarding this situation. If there is someone out there reviewing this, please, reach out to me at work **. I really need to have some level of response. Thanks.

I've had an ongoing problem with a clogged bathtub. I've called Home Shield a few times in the 7 years I've lived here to start a claim for a plumber. Each time, I was visited by Sundance, who always provides great service.

I have had an account with AHS for over 10 years. They have always been prompt in responding to my problems and scheduling a contractor in a timely manner. I would recommend AHS to family and friends and in fact have done so many times.

American Home Shield

Hello Daniel, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

On 11/20 I opened a service request via the web. I called on 11/22 and was told they had 48 hours to find someone. I called tonight 11/29, 9 days later, and was told I needed to talk to a special department. I asked why no one contacted me and they said they didn't know why. I asked them to track down what happened so other customers wouldn't have the same problem and they chose not to acknowledge and own that problem. When transferred I was told they couldn't find anyone so I would have to do it for them and pay up front. I indicated this was not the service I paid for and I expected them to actually do the work. They said this was my only option and they repeated the story. I explained the fact they couldn't do the work didn't excuse them from the agreement and making the customer do the work instead was less fair. Again, they repeated the story.

I explained this was like I bought a weekly deal to get a donut at a shop and that shop stopped carrying donuts and told me to go find a store, pay up front, and then they maybe would pay for it. Further this shop argued that it made sense because they didn't carry donuts. I was hoping this would make my comment more clear. Just because they agreed to a job that they couldn't do didn't get them off the hook and suddenly I have to do the work for them. Just as with my kids I told the representative, "it is not my problem. You bit off more than you can chew. I am not responsible for doing your job that as a customer I paid you to do. It is not hard to understand." At that point she said, "can I help you with anything else and hung up." From 1) customer standpoint, 2) delivery standpoint, and 3) self-improvement standpoint this was an epic fail.

We filed a claim with American Home Shield for the air conditioner a couple of months back and it's been working fine ever since. The technician that came was a pretty good guy, and I had them come out again a week ago to give me an estimate on some more work that needed to be done that's not covered.

We had an electrician come over about two years ago to fix some outlets that were not working and he was quite obviously not interested in fixing those outlets, because the wires were in the attic underneath some blown-in insulation. It was a terrible experience. Then a week later, I had my friend come up. We climbed in the attic, we took a brook, we swept the insulation off the wires, we found the problem and we fixed it, very easy. So that guy could have done a lot more. He was a bomb and I request that he not come back. They should take him off their list. But then about a month ago, we had a guy come out to fix the ice maker in the refrigerator and he was absolutely wonderful. He was the nicest guy ever. He took it all apart, showed us the problem, and then he showed us how to keep it working in the future.

I've submitted claims with American Home Shield a couple of times. I did one over the phone and a couple online. The contractor I had for the AC issue and the plumber that I had before that were great. The AC guy knew his stuff and was on it. I submitted my claim and within 20 minutes, he gave me a phone call. It was a holiday, but he showed up and fixed my AC. I was very pleased. In fact, I recommended AHS to my most personal friend because of his business and the way he communicated with my family the whole time.

I was very pleased with the fast response to our service request and the technician was right on time. He diagnosed and repaired the problem very quickly. I really appreciate being able to submit service requests online without having to navigate through a call center system.

Factual basis uncertain

I've submitted a few claims to American Home Shield both over the phone and online. It was really convenient to go online to submit it that way and get someone out. However, I had a lot of difficulty getting a hold of someone last time with my dishwasher because it went out again just a few days after the repair. The hold line was crazy long, so I gave that up. I tried to get a hold of the contractor but they didn't respond so I just bought a new dishwasher.

I had an issue with another claim that wasn't covered. I had called AHS to try to ask if it was and I was put on hold for so long that I just submitted it online. I explained to the contractors the problem that wasn't covered which was a leak in the yard. I told them it was in the yard because I diagnosed it that far but they still came out and I'm out $75 for it. Everyone else I've dealt with were pretty good and I liked them. Overall there were some high-ups and low-downs.

We have American Home Shield on a couple of different houses. We just had our air conditioner fixed recently. We filed the claim online, and their website is great. The repairman who came out was excellent. I'd recommend AHS.

I've had American Home Shield for years and they've been really good. But every once in a while you'll get a company that they hire that would pull crap on you. They don't know exactly at times who they’re hiring because they're out of state and they keep switching companies. However, the reps at AHS are pretty good. I'd recommend them. They're still better than some of the other ones out there.

American Home Shield

Hello Wanda, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I bought American Home Shield for I bought a mobile home and did not know if the appliances worked properly. I called them a couple of months after buying the policy and again called for I could not cook for Christmas last year. I continued to pay the payments and called again and requested they come and fix my oven and I never got a reply or any service. I stopped paying the payments to see if that would get them to come and fix my oven and there was no reply. I do not believe I should pay for a service I am not getting. I have many witnesses who showed up for dinners and never got to eat for I never had a working oven for any of the holidays for dinner last year or this year either. The oven is still broken.

American Home Shield never contacted me for payment or service so I assumed they were a scam to begin with. After all if they were on the up and up they would've contacted me requesting payment or giving service for the oven I requested help with last year and this year also. I can buy an oven for what they want from me now. I intend to go to court and bring my witnesses with me who did not even get dinner for the holidays and my payments was up to date. I believe this is a scam company for that is what I have seen many times in the past. To scam elderly people to the point they starve is criminal and that is what they done to me. If they want paid they need to provide a service for that is what I paid for in the first place.

I love this company! I have never had any problems with anything. The service providers are great and their customer service are polite, pleasant and knowledgeable. I have been with them through three houses and two marriages since 1995. Everyone is helpful and professional. I recommend this to a lot of my neighbors and friends. At night I go to bed with a peace of mind as I get older. Thank you so much for providing me with these services as I am disabled and my husband is not mechanical, lol.

We filed a claim with American Home Shield during the summer, and it went very well. We submitted it online. The website is very user-friendly. The contractor that came out was excellent. I like the opportunity to get a second opinion, which was great. I had to pay the initial service charge, and after I got a second opinion, the service went really well.

American Home Shield

Hello Shawn, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

The process of submitting a claim online to AHS is a bit difficult. You fill out a form online to request service but there's very little information that they actually provide. You basically just say it’s the dishwasher and then they assign you to someone and that person calls you. Then scheduling gets more difficult because American Home Shield usually calls the night before and gives you a two-hour window when the person is gonna come. My wife and I are busy, and a lot of times there's a conflict.

In order to schedule, you have to start the whole process over again. It goes back into the system and you got to call back, set it up, and they'll try it for the next week. Then the same thing happens. If you don't like those two hours again, then you got to start over again. That part is very frustrating. We had the ice maker in our kitchen that wasn't working and the process took six weeks because of the very simple things like how they tried to schedule at the time when my wife was gonna pick the kids up from school and nobody was gonna be there. If only they could make the scheduling process a lot easier.

Then we've had three contractors who came out and we didn't have any problems with any of them. They seemed competent and were professional. However, we had one guy who came and fixed our refrigerator. I asked his opinion on our dishwasher. He just glanced at it for a second and said that there's something wrong with it. He told me to put in another request and AHS would probably send him back. We did that, however, they ended up sending a different company to fix the dishwasher. The person who came said that there's nothing wrong with it. Now, we still feel like the dishwasher is not working. But they've already sent someone out. Aside from that, it was fine. We've got our money's worth out of it and it's definitely a good value.

American Home Shield

Hello Leira, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

American Home Shield has been complete unresponsive to our numerous calls regarding the inability of their service contractors, Hornet Appliances and HotShot Appliances (Houston, TX), in fixing our refrigerator. Four different technicians have visited the house (orders: 11-23-16 #**; 09-22-16 #**; 08-15-16 #**; 07-22-16 #**). Twice they have said a compressor was ordered. First company, Hornet, never installed any new part. Second company, HotShot, took two months to order a part and after supposedly installing the new compressor, the refrigerator broke again within 2 days.

American Home Shield is refusing to let us look for an outside service provider or reimbursing for the purchase of a new refrigerator. This terribly reviewed companies hired by American Home Shield just keep dragging on this situation and insurance takes no responsibility or action. I am pregnant, about to give birth and they do not show any type of sensibility or urgency to assist us. Both my husband and I have been repeatedly disrespected by their customer service representatives who just put us on hold for 30 min to 1 hour. One of them mentioned that they could not speak to me because I was threatening with legal action. I stated that we will be filing complaints with the BBB and social media. Never did I mention a court.

This is a nightmare and at this point we just want people to know how terrible this insurance is and how they steal your money. Also, we sent several emails to AHS and none were replied to. We are now waiting for BBB to help in this matter. Save yourself the trouble and money and do not waster your money with this fraudulent insurance.

My A/C broke in triple digit weather last summer. I called AHS, and 1st contractor said 3 days before could come. I called AHS back and they sent another contractor the next day. He came and had my A/C unit running in 15 minutes. He had the part he needed on his truck! Very professional!

American Home Shield

Hello Rozlyn, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

My air conditioning unit was freezing up and AHS sent a technician out. I paid $300 for them to tell me that it was still freezing up. After several visits to my home, the technician told me that I will be getting a new unit that would replace my older unit and the new unit would no longer take Freon. I waited a little over a week and I didn't hear anything from him and come to find out the technician didn't even call my problem in back to American Home Shield.

I made several calls after that. AHS called the office where the technician worked and the next thing I know, they were telling me I had to pay almost $1,200 out of my pocket and so I didn't agree with that. Then they sent me a check to find a repairman of my own. I'm still working to find a technician that will help me find out what's wrong with my unit. It works sometimes and then it will freeze and I don't have a whole lot of disposable income to keep repairing something which they identified as a much older unit.

It’s not what I thought it was gonna be. I was told one thing, I expected and got different results. I don't understand why I was told it was going to be replaced and then it didn't. I'm apprehensive to even continue my coverage right now because I'm still in a limbo. But the staff was fine. I just had to keep calling in because I would get these emails saying that my case was closed, and it wasn't so then they would have to reopen it.

I called American Home Shield for my air conditioner. The person I talked to was helpful and knowledgeable. They were out here within a day. The repair guy was nice. He took his time to diagnose the problem and did a good job. I recommend them.

We have had AHS for over 10 years and we have found them to have respectable, knowledgeable and courteous technicians. They keep you abreast with any delays in the tech's arrival. They are very good in repairing and/or replacing a covered item if needed. The service is thorough and their aim is your satisfaction.

American Home Shield

Hello Suzanne, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

My above range microwave was repaired through your company 3 months ago at a cost of $100 service charge paid by me. It started humming loudly again and I asked for service to the tune of another $100 and Sears could not find the problem. I am going to replace it rather than waste more money on you. This warranty has been useless so far. Hope it pays off later.

I had a bad experience with one of the contractors AHS sent out to my home to fix my AC but AHS paid for a second opinion and the other contractor was great! Thanks to AHS getting a second opinion, I saved thousands of dollars!!

American Home Shield

Hello Tim, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

This company is THE worst customer service I have ever experienced. I have called them many times and not one have I had to wait LESS than 30 minutes. There has been times where I just hung up after 45 minutes. It is a shame.

I filed a claim online to American Home Shield for a furnace leak. Most of their reps were pleasant and they’ve been very helpful. The contractor did an excellent job and it was repaired the first time out. Each of the six years I've done business with them, my rates increase anywhere from $5 to $15 a month every time it’s time for a contract renewal.

American Home Shield

Hello Patricia, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

I have been using AHS for many number of years. In fact, some years ago when I was selling real estate, I highly recommended AHS to my clients. In the past 2-3 years, the service has been terrible. There is no way to contact a human being without waiting on the phone for at least 25 minutes. I have been charged for a service call that is the exact same one that occurred about 2 months before. My problem was seemingly simple: the water filter on the refrigerator was not working properly as the water has a medicinal taste. I was told that nothing could be done until a new filter was installed.

I waited several months for the new filter and when I called to find out where the new filter was, no one knew anything about it. The provider said that the call had been reported to AHS and that I needed to contact AHS again, AND I DID. The same service man came out and the same thing...must order a new filter. So I refused to pay the $75. Now AHS is sending me bills and emails saying that I owe them $75. Think it's ridiculous to pay for the same service twice. When my contract is over, I will never renew. A great service in the past, but now is totally pathetic!!

American Home Shield Company Profile