Consumer Reviews and Complaints

14%
  • 3 stars91
  • 2 stars13
  • 1 stars105

American Home Shield founded the home warranty industry in 1971 and remains the industry leader today. Together, with our wholly owned subsidiary, we service nearly 1.5 million customers across all 50 states.

Always quick & effectively responsive when I make a claim.

Our most recent experience was excellent just as it is every single time we contact AHS. The timeliness of the response, the clarity of it and the availability of a live operator make a sizeable difference. We have been very pleased with the operational end of AHS.

We are homeowners & have been members of AHS for over 20 years. We have always been very satisfied with the promptness of reply once called or emailed for service, to the fast callback from the service provider. We would & have recommended AHS.

Air Ducks has been a blessing. They are timely, professional, and efficient. They have been called multiple times for our ailing HVAC/AC. The servicemen diagnosed & fixed the problem within a couple days. We are very thankful to AHS for sending them. Now we will only use Air Ducks for our HVAC system.

Expert Pools were awesome. They made me feel a part of the process. I felt very informed of the problem, how it possibly occur, and preventive measure for the future. They are my new service company for any future pool issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Home Shield?

My most recent experience involved a new faucet for my kitchen sink. The sprayer on my old faucet came apart on a Sunday morning before church. I cleaned up the mess, turned off the water, and called AHS. That was all I had to do. They took over from there! They immediately dispatched a very professional plumber (Hers and His Plumbing). They came out a couple of days later and were so professional. When the sprayer could not be reattached, he purchased a new one. He also corrected some minor problems centered around the pipes and garbage disposal. He was quick, efficient, knowledgeable, and friendly. This is just an example of AHS saving the day for me! FYI, I was still able to make it to church that Sunday morning. Oh -- I recommended AHS to two of my friends last week!

Our air conditioner went out on a Sunday so I filed a claim with AHS over the internet at their website which was very easy to do. The techs were here the next morning which was very quick. The contractor fixed what he needed to do and went on his way. Everything was great. It was a painless experience.

We called American Home Shield Thursday night about air conditioner problem. American Home Shield returned our call promptly the next morning. We heard from the contractor within 30-40 minutes and they were at our house within an hour. The techs were nice. They located the problem with the a/c within minutes, repaired it and were on their way.

The company was very considerate. They took the time to show me what was wrong and how they were going to fix it. The man that did the repairs was very knowledgeable and kept me updated on when he was going to return. He made the required repairs in a timely manner.

My most recent claim with AHS was the replacement of the fan motor on the air conditioner. I filed it online easily then got a phone call from the contractor the next day to set up an appointment. Then, they came out and replaced the parts as they had the parts in stock. It took three days for AHS in bridging the call and getting the air conditioner fixed but I wish they would use a local contractor. I live in Texarkana, the contractor was out of Dallas, and that put me at a time disadvantage. But the technicians that came worked on the air conditioner before and were good folks. Also, I've had a couple of other claims, like with my microwave, wherein if they can't get a part extremely cheap immediately, I'll be put on hold until a part that's lesser priced can be found. I wish they'd speed that up. Nevertheless, having AHS coverage is very useful because I'd never know when I'm gonna have problems at the house.

My experience with AHS has been great except for two things. Once is when I needed a new kitchen faucet. The plumber that came to my house dropped the ball and I had to put in an additional request. The second is regarding my kitchen refrigerator. The ice maker has totally quit working and I found out that it is not covered. Why?? It is part of the appliance.

I didn't like how my claim a while back with AHS went when my garage wouldn't open. It took the contractors forever to get out here. The OmniTouch button on the inside of the house was supposed to be fixed so we can open the garage from there. They ended up selling a garage door opener to my wife, who's suffering from dementia, even if we already had one. Now we have to pay $59 for it on top of the $75 payment that we had to pay for the contractors coming out here. Up to now, the button still doesn't work right. A lot of times I have to flicker around the button and its different parts. I'm not happy with that experience. Besides that, I really like American Home Shield's work. Most of the time, the contractors are out here really quickly.

American Home Shield

Hello Kathy, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

On September 5, 2016 I placed a call to American Home Shield (AHS) rob report my A/C has gone out completely. Kentucky Climate Service (KCS)

from two cities away was awarded the contract to repair it. KCS could not get out to evaluate it for another week. Mind you it is over 90 degrees and 95 percent humidity! After a couple days of the hot temp I called AHS and complained. They called and told me to get someone in my area to inspect it for the repair. I did as instructed and got a local certified HVAC company. Since my unit is 28+ years old, the company told AHS it would be better to replace the unit since it was in such bad condition (every part of it). The company was to send in estimate on how much to replace it that day.

AHS called me that afternoon and said it would cost too much and they would make another appt with KCS. At the end of the week they came out and said they could just replace the compressor and that should do for a while. Today is September 22nd and compressor has not been received from AHS by KCS. AHS said it was mailed and KCS should get it tomorrow. KCS said IF they receive it tomorrow I should be scheduled on September 29th. I was also told by AHS that I would be responsible for $305.00 of the charges by KCS that they would not pay (coolant for my A/C). What a waste to have paid $48.99 each month for at least 3-4 years for service like this!!! DON'T WASTE MONEY ON AMERICAN HOME SHIELD???

American Home Shield

Hello Otter, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I have been with this company for more than 6 years now and have covered two homes during that time. Generally, they have been good, prompt and cover what they say they will cover. But today they sent out a HORRIBLE contractor and won't do anything to resolve the issue. They sent a plumber from more than 90 miles away. He was more than an hour late and never touched a thing! He saw the leaking tub faucet, told us he wasn't going to try to remove the screw because it looked stripped and then said he was late for his next appointment. We disagreed and he proceeded to call his boss and argue with him in my living room!

When I told AHS what had happened, they said this company was the only contracted plumber they had and that all they could do would be to pay me the estimated price of the repair minus the deductible. They said they would send $23.00 AFTER I submit a receipt from a licensed plumber of my choice. THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE! They said the plumber told them a flow cartridge would have to be replaced - that was the cause of the LAST leak in May and obviously that didn't work! And don't even get me started on having this be a whole new claim only 4 months later because the last repair was only guaranteed for 30 days! So much for workmanship and reliable contractors. If you ever hear the name Rudd Mechanical out of Denver, run the other way. This warranty is being replaced right NOW! Smh.

American Home Shield

Hello Jeff, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

AHS service contractors make quick fixes with bare minimum to insure 100%. I had a repair 4 months ago, leak AC unit. They never found actual leak but replaced a small part as it was rusted. They re-pressurized system and said good to go. Four months later same problem. This time they found one leak (most likely same one as 4 months ago). They patched leak and said good to go. No troubleshooting to ensure there may not be additional leaks. The 2 calls in a 4-month period cost me $650 dollars plus monthly payment = $850 in a 4-month period. So ask yourself is it worth have a warranty if this is the service you get?

My garage door was bouncing back when we try to close it. My keypad on the outside wasn’t working too. I called AHS and they told me someone will get in touch with me within 24 hours. That same afternoon, someone did get in touch with me, and the next day, they came out. The technician was extremely great. The first time around, the problem persisted and I called back the number that called me. They sent him right back out the next day and I didn’t have any problems at all. They were really wonderful. Everything is working now. Even if AHS is a little costly, I'll stay with them because I never had any problem with them. You call them, they send out someone, and it's done.

American Home Shield

Hello Briana, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Failed from the first service call... Took over four times to actually fix the dryer because they sent a common thug to my house that was demanding extra money he wasn't entitled to, threatened me in my own home and they kept calling the same guy back. Then they still haven't serviced an item I called on for over three months. Then my AC goes out and six visits total with it working only six days in the three weeks it took, they chose to cut a 15 year old unit in half to install an evaporator coil configuration kit and six days later my house is filled with smoke and smells like burning plastic. They said, "turn off thermostat and we will get someone there in four days... "

Next day it happens again and I call the repair company and they tell me my house could have caught on fire!!! Finally AHS agrees to send someone and ALL THE BREAKERS BLEW. He came the next day and fixed them and an hour later, same thing. Send another guy and another breaker blew he said but he took up sealing tape? The whole time and for every service I called, representatives are initially rude and combative and assure me they have no management or supervisor and don't have to transfer me or escalate because THEIR COMPANY POLICY says they don't have to. There are federal AND state laws REQUIRING that we have escalation means. Even if it is just transferring to another rep to start fresh. We MUST have contact information where transferring is unavailable and I was always refused this by every rep.

I have all of these phone calls recorded and Suzie or Suzan from the customer service advocacy team is the worst and swears she is the only employee there and has no boss and even sat there asking me, "What do you even think is going to happen if I transfer you?" This was all because Sue thinks it's well within the contract to not have a working covered item for a month or more and I'm not entitled to any single money back. They are not holding up their end of the contract, are abusing consumers, stealing money and sending criminals to home owners houses after being notified of criminal activity along with violating federal and state laws.

American Home Shield

Hello Jeremy, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

First time I ever called them I sat on hold for 45 minutes before finally giving up. Tonight while following up on an open service claim it took me 61 minutes to get through to a representative. Sure would be nice if you don't adequately staff your phone lines to let the customer know an anticipated wait time. When I finally got through I found out they moved my service claim into "options" status two days ago, meaning it is sitting with the appliance purchasing department. Problem is, nobody bothered to notify me of the change in status. Had I not called in I would have continued to sit around waiting to hear back while my dishwasher is inoperable. Based on my experience, the customer service is not very good.

American Home Shield

Hello Wilbert , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I have been trying to get my Kenmore washer repaired. This will be the third service call if I can ever get through. The website tells me I have to call in my service request since this is a recall. I have been calling for 3 days trying to get through. A message begins by stating that they are experiencing a heavy call volume. I have been on hold for 45 minutes before hanging up. Do they only have one person in customer support? I really don't think there's anyone there!! Once my washer's fixed I'm going to shop around for another home warranty company.

American Home Shield

Hello Marie , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I actually like American Home Shield. It is the contractor that they have chosen to work on air conditioning unit in my area. The contractor Air Doctor is a questionable contractor. The first time they came out a few months ago they said I needed the Freon to be topped off. Then a few weeks ago I heard water leaking and the sound of water going down the drain. Then my AC wouldn't cool. I called to put in a service request and the same contractor came out. The first time they came out they said my unit was totally frozen and there was ice all over the outside and inside unit. I took pictures and there was never any ice. The same contractor told me I had to wait 24 hours for the ice to melt, and I would have to wait til Monday and keep the air off.

I live in Florida where the heat index can reach 115. I did call American Home Shield and they got the contractor to come out the next morning. However the contractor never looked for a leak. I was told I needed more Freon but he put less than a pound and I was charge the hundred and $25. I have no idea whether I have a leak or not and American Home Shield will not send another contractor out. I have no problem paying the fee if work was actually done. But this was not the case.

American Home Shield

Hello Roccie, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

Placed my first call last Thursday and had problems with the American Home Shield preferred contractor from the start. Called AHS (waited on hold 30 min to get through) and the customer service agent was rude and condescending. I dealt with it, explained my problems with the contractor and received no assistance. The contractor was to come out this afternoon but called this morning to cancel because their technician called in sick. At this point, I have been patient, but without air conditioning in 90+ degree heat for 5-days (that's been the average daytime temp in the house. I live in TN).

I called AHS and waited 40 minutes to speak with a person. I was told they would call around to their other A/C vendors in the area and call me back within a half hour to an hour. After 4 hours, I had to call them back. They had made no attempt to call another contractor, nor even reach out to me, to provide an update. Canceled their service, received a full refund and I have a repair technician who I found, coming out this afternoon. I would not recommend American Home Shield.

American Home Shield

Hello Michael, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I was an AHS policyholder for two years and didn't renew for a third because the claims handling process was, to say the least, challenging. FILING the claim was easy. Getting AHS to assign a qualified contractor in a timely manner was quite a different matter, even for minor appliance repairs. The call center staff was indifferent to the claims, the contractors in AHS's vaunted "network" either wouldn't return calls or show up at all, and AHS reps offered no solutions other than to advise me to "find a contractor" on my own and then have that contractor submit an invoice for the work performed. As if a truly qualified contractor in a high-demand area would be interested in that, right? Duh!

So, call me crazy, but this week, I thought I'd give AHS another try and buy TWO policies for my two properties. Big mistake. After an hour on the phone with a rep, I received an email confirming the policies I'd purchased...with different prices and deductibles than I was quoted. It took me, without exaggeration, 2 hours on hold, 4 AHS representatives and 4 calls to cancel both policies, since it was clear that AHS was no better at customer service now than they were 2 years ago when I didn't renew my policy with them.

By the way...canceling the policies was incredibly difficult, requiring me to speak with the ironically-titled "Retention Department" after being on hold for 15 minutes. Shocker alert: You apparently can't cancel online, via live chat or by speaking to anyone else. And every step of the way, CSRs required that I explain to them why I was canceling, and then launched into the hard sell to convince me to keep the policies. My thinking is, if the purchasing process is this difficult and the communications are this poor when BUYING a policy...how much worse will it be when I have a claim? I didn't stick around to find out. Buh-bye, AHS. Never again What a time-wasting experience.

American Home Shield

Hello Meg, I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

I had my dishwasher checked out about 3 weeks ago and paid the repairman $100. He said I need a new dishwasher because mine is too old to repair. I called your company last week and they had not even processed the claim yet, nor did the CS department have any idea what the claim was for even though I gave them the claim number. By the way, I had to wait on hold for 30 minutes before anyone from AHS answered the phone. Once someone answered the phone they acted as if they could care less about their job or helping the customer. They said the next step was not their department - I should call back in a few days because AHS does not have enough manpower to call the customer back and let them know what is going with their claim. It was a week later before I had time to wait on the phone again for 30 minutes for AHS to answer their phones.

So I called your company again today on my lunch hour and have already been on hold for 25 minutes and lunch is almost over. This is my first claim with AHS and I can tell you I am very disappointed with your service. I still have no idea when my dishwasher is going to be replaced. I have to replace my kitchen floor due to the dishwasher leaking. I cannot replace the floor until the dishwasher is replaced. Now I am talking to an AHS customer service person and she says that the computer system is down now so she has to take down all my information and I will have to wait for someone to get back to me. She does not know when IT will have the problem resolved, but someone will call me back as soon as possible. I will say this CS person was nice. But I do not have a lot of hope that AHS will call me back. I think I will have to call them several more times in the future. Rethinking this company.

American Home Shield

Hello Alexander , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

August 17th, 2016: I called American Home Shield (AHS) to file a claim for my broken air conditioner. AHS assured us that they would find a reputable company to come service our air conditioner as soon as possible. This was a particularly difficult time for us because my wife was in her 2nd trimester, which of course, is a very difficult time. To add, the weather in Atlanta, GA in the middle of August is extremely hot and muggy - ~100 degree F with 100% humidity.

August 19th, 2016: I have received NO calls from AHS or their “reputable vendor,” so I was forced to reach out to them. After spending 30 minutes on hold, I finally got the number to the vendor, Air Design A/c & Heating (770) 483-8402. I reached out to Air Design and was told by the tech that he was too busy to come fix our problem so I would have to wait. Frustrated I called AHS to complain but they told me that starting the process over would take even longer and to just wait. This was causing us stress since we had not slept for the past two nights.

August 21st, 2016: I called the Air Design and nobody answered. I finally received a text message that if I could be at my home in 20 minutes then he could come fix it. I rushed home (45mins away) and received a call from the tech as I was pulling in. He told me that he was about to leave if I did not get there right away. I was incredibly insulted by his attitude, professionalism, and personal presentation. He walked in, turned on the AC and told me he knew it was just out of coolant. But he said he couldn’t fix it and would have to call me back sometime later in the week once he got it approved. I then called AHS, complained and demanded a new vendor.

August 21st-September 20th, 2016: AHS Due to my wife's physical state, I was forced to stay in a hotel room. I requested that AHS provide compensation since during this time they were unable to find a competent company to service our loss. AHS told me that they could only provide compensation for a temporary window AC unit if the temperature was over 105 degrees F. This is the most ludicrous policy! With the humidity in Atlanta, 105 degrees F is the equivalent to 125 degrees.

Regardless of the cost, we were unable to purchase a temporary window A/C unit since we live in a condominium where there are only sliding doors. This forced us to stay in a hotel, which has cost us over $2000! AHS made no effort to compensate us for the hotel fees or for the fact that my pregnant wife has had the stress of staying in unsanitary conditions for over 40 days! She is now having complications in the pregnancy, which we are certain, is due to the stress of dealing with AHS and its deplorable vendors. We very much intend to pursue compensatory and punitive damages for the financial and physical damages that AHS has caused us due to their incompetence and lack of concern.

As policyholders, who pay their premiums on time, we feel raped, as we put our full faith and confidence in the insurer, who pay to depend on, to uphold their promise to us to be there when we are vulnerable. I am deeply disappointed and shocked that a company would show such lack of concern of its customers. To this day, (9/20/2016), nothing has been done to resolve the issue by AHS. I have been forced to find my own vendor, who was shocked by the story and has assured me that the process should only take 48 hours max. With the most sincere warning, DO NOT TO USE AMERICAN HOME SHIELD as your warranty company. There are too many other good ones out there that deserve your business.

American Home Shield

Hello Brian , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

My dishwasher won't turn off. I call AHS and they send a tech out. He says the motor and controller board needs to be replaced. I wait a few days and hear nothing. I call ahs and the tech never told them what I needed. Turned out the tech is no longer in business. AHS has their escalation department contact me. They tell me they will have another company come out to evaluate the dishwasher again and that I won't be charged for the service call. I get that call but the company won't service Monroe, Wa. I have been on the phone on hold now for 97 min. waiting for someone to answer the phone. I paid my $410.00 for a year policy and I regret ever using this Co. Run as fast and as far as you can from this Co.

My garage door was not opening or closing properly so I did an online claim submission to American Home Shield. The contractor was very helpful, had it fixed in no time, and told me what to look for in the future.

American Home Shield

Hello Jami , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I was in the process of purchasing a new condo so I bought a warranty and paid for the whole year in advance. Right after I moved in I found the a/c needed freon and called AHS (I did wait the mandatory 15 days as that is how long the mortgage and closing took anyway). No a/c and AHS said 24 hours for a service call. I ended up talking to my realtor who informed me that the prior owner gifted me her service warranty that she had already paid for the year. So that was on 9/5/16 and I have been calling AHS ever since trying to cancel my contract. No service was ever performed and I had already paid the $500+ for the year of coverage.

Every time I call it's another excuse as to why they cannot or will not cancel my service contract and refund my money. Again, I paid in FULL for one year, I did not use any services and have been trying to cancel since 2 days after the policy took effect. I was originally going to see if they could postpone the service until the existing contract the prior owner gave me expired but, not now, I will NEVER call this company again. As it stands I am now on my 27th minute of hold time and this is probably the 14th call I made... to get my money back.

American Home Shield

Hello Sanjay , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 19, 2016

I have an over the top microwave for which I have AHS warranty that started in June 2016. It broke down in beginning of August and we scheduled a tech to check it. He advised the magnetron tube had broken and microwave will have to be replaced. I have made over 20 calls to AHS and till date the only answer I hear from them is that they are waiting from GE to provide them the diagnosis. I have also routed the call thru their supervisor but same result. I am so frustrated with this experience. Please help.

It’s been okay with AHS. Recently, my air-conditioner was not working properly and submitting the claim was very easy. I went online and it was simple to request for service. The technician came out right away. The service was great and he was very friendly and knowledgeable.

American Home Shield

Hello Amy , I apologize for this situation that you are experiencing with your services. I value your feedback and the chance to resolve any issues that our customers may have. I will look into this matter and follow up with you soon. Thanks^DB

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

Our air conditioner was not working. We called it into AHS and they sent a local company out. They have 2 days to come out. He did not fix the problem and then AHS told us they have 5 days to come out and would not expedite it. Then I looked at this person's reviews all over the internet. He has horrible reviews, most of them involving American Home Shield. I called and spoke to a manager and she said there is nothing she can do. She said she could not and would not expedite it and if I wanted someone else, I had to cancel the request and wait 24 to 48 hours to get someone over. And I have to pay another 75.00.

American Home Shield Company Profile