4.63/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

AmeriFreight addresses the three most important areas of shipping a vehicle: Price, Quality and Safety.

No other company has done more to help consumers save money. In fact, AmeriFreight will negotiate with the top 5% of more than 11,000 carriers for the best possible rate to ship your vehicle, and no carrier with less than a 95% internal quality rating will be considered to ship their customers’ vehicles.

AmeriFreight also realizes no amount of customer service effort can compensate for failure to treat our carriers with respect; therefore, the team strives to offer the best employment opportunities and work environment.

As safety is central to every customer’s thought when shipping a vehicle, AmeriFreight offers the best possible protection through the industry standard AFta PLAN. This means your vehicle coverage goes above and beyond the limited plan provided by carriers.

Before you decide to ship, call AmeriFreight today. The AmeriFreight team would love to be your auto transport partner.

AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company Video
AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company Gallery (1)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

AmeriFreight is a nationwide auto transporter offering a price guarantee, several discounts and an AFta gap insurance plan. Although an initial deposit is required, free quotes and a money-back guarantee sweetens the deal.

PROS

• Money-back guarantee
  • Ships nationwide
  • Free quotes
  • Discounts available

CONS

• Deposit required

Top AmeriFreight Reviews

04/11/2019

The entire transport took six days and the vehicle arrived in good condition … My interactions with the transport organizer were clear and concise. He answered all my questions and was available whenever I needed to ask questions or call about something.

04/25/2019

Harry, the transport organizer, was very diligent and did a great job. He called us back a bunch of times throughout the process with different quotes and kept us updated. We appreciated that. My wife said that both persons who picked up and dropped the car were very sweet and on time.

About AmeriFreight Auto Transport

AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker that works with a network of reliable carriers to help consumers transport their cars and other vehicles across the lower 48 states, Canada and a few other select locations. AmeriFreight offers a price guarantee so the price you are quoted is the price you will pay. AmeriFreight also offers several discounts, so be sure to ask if you qualify for any of them. AFta gap insurance covers unexpected damages, so customers can have peace of mind knowing their car is covered.

AmeriFreight cost

AmeriFreight notes that costs range from $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Looking at the numbers on Amerifreight’s site, we estimate the average cost of a cross-country auto transport is about $935. Several factors will affect the cost, like the season, vehicle condition, vehicle size, distance traveled and popularity of the route.

You can use AmeriFreight’s rate calculator on their website to get a better idea of how much it will cost to ship your vehicle. AmeriFreight also has a chart listing estimated prices for several popular routes, and they provide discounts for military, first responders, students and seniors.

AmeriFreight car shipping estimates

PickupDropoffCost
Washington, DCFort Lauderdale$750
AtlantaLos Angeles$850
San FranciscoNew York City$1050
HoustonSpokane$1250

AmeriFreight car shipping options

AmeriFreight ships to the contiguous United States, Canada and select international locations. AmeriFreight can also ship trailers, RVs, motorcycles and boats. You can choose to go with enclosed shipping for cars that need additional protection. Door-to-door shipping is AmeriFreight’s most popular option due to its convenience — this means your car will be picked up at its current location and dropped off exactly where you want it.

AFta gap insurance plan works to cover up to $1000 in damage for major events or up to $400 for minor damage. Lost keys and rental reimbursement required in the case of delayed deliveries are also covered. As long as the issue is reported within 48 hours of delivery, the AFta gap insurance should be able to cover it.

AmeriFreight shipping process

AmeriFreight details the auto transport process on their website. Remember, your car must be cleared of all belongings before shipping.

1. Get a quote from AmeriFreight
  2. Confirm your order online
  3. Make your initial deposit
  4. Prep car and check car condition
  5. Pick up vehicle at pre-determined location
  6. Inspect vehicle for damage

Do we recommend AmeriFreight?

We like AmeriFreight’s transparent pricing as well as their gap insurance that covers your car in the event of unexpected damages. AmeriFreight reviews mention a smooth auto transport process and, since that is what most consumers are looking for when transporting a car, we recommend using AmeriFreight.

2451 AmeriFreight Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I was moving a vehicle from East Coast to West Coast where I’m currently living and since I had used AmeriFreight four-ish years ago for a similar route with a different vehicle, I went straight to them. With the first time, I went through a few different options on the website and it still worked but this time, their website has improved a lot. It was a lot easier to navigate as far as trying to check and make sure that they’re still decent. The service provider I got was also very prompt. They were prompt last time as well but this time, he called me back within 24 hours with a carrier option. He was also able to advise me based off of the patterns for the season as far as if there was a good likelihood where we would get additional options and what the price range would be within those options.

The quote was higher than I was expecting. Last time, it cost me about $1,000 to get the car cross-country and that was during the winter season. But given that it has been four years and gas is expensive, I wasn’t too terribly put out with the increase. The rep was also fairly upfront with what the end dollars would be and there weren't any additional fees that I had to worry about. AmeriFreight also still offers additional insurance for anything that the carrier operator's insurance would not cover if the vehicle were to be damaged by storms in transit or on its way to us off the rig.

When the rep contacted me after I had signed the contract, I thought that it would be pretty instant to the carrier. But when I called the carrier to confirm some details, they had only just gotten the information. So I was a little ahead on that one. But for the pickup, I was told that getting a pickup vehicle down was hard so the location ended up being a parking lot. But it was the same location as last time and it was easy to follow. I had a family member on the East Coast handling the pick-up and he didn’t have any issues. The route was approximately the same and there was an establishment of communication. I was given the carrier’s information if I needed to follow up with them. But I wasn't stressed out about it at all and it was pretty hands-off this time.

For the drop-off over here, I got a call a couple of hours in advance. The carrier had also given me a call before that, giving me the range so we could expect the drop-off. Last time, they ended up delivering three days in advance of what they had quoted me and I had to scramble a little bit. But this time, it was right on the nose from the estimate. So that was reassuring. You can expect to wash your car at the end unless you're getting covered transport. But the experience was on par with my expectations and I would certainly use AmeriFreight again or recommend them to others if they had to do a similar coast-to-coast route. Harry, the agent I worked with, was very helpful, upfront and prompt. So I’d recommend him in particular.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Shipping my daughter's car through Amerifreight was definitely the right choice out of the numerous quotes we had to choose from. You see, my daughter is a young adult in the US Navy and is currently stationed in California. Home, however, is in Indiana. There are 2,183 miles between us. But of course, I still get to do some of her legwork and still the one to read the fine print on important decisions. Back in March she drove her car home for me to keep safe while she went on a 6 month deployment to Japan. We had originally hoped and planned that when she returned Stateside I could drive her car back to California for her and hopefully take in some sights but, over the months, circumstances for both of us changed and it just wasnt a feasible trip. Regardless, she NEEDED her car for work and getting around an enormous base.

We considered several options but after researching ideas and weighing costs, we decided to have her car shipped. Being a first time for both of us looking into Car shipping, we were kind of overwhelmed. We had no clue how it all worked at first so I dug into the internet. I looked up several sites that compare multiple car shipping sites at one time and considered their reviews. I must've read about 50 different Car Shipping Companies from the comparison sites. But, only a few made the cut on all the lists and even less made it in the top 5 ranked Shipping Companies in every comparison. AmeriFreight was the only car shipping company who checked out across the board. Working with a desperate for her car daughter, little money, and it being the week before Thanksgiving no less, I fearfully and naively requested quotes from all of the few that were in the top 5.

Almost immediately, all of them responded but, only 1 fell within our budget. Again, it was AmeriFreight. So, when Richard **, a representative from AmeriFreight, personally contacted me regarding their quote I secured them as our team. Richard explained the shipping process in detail. We learned that places like AmeriFreight are sort of the middleman between the customer and the Carrier Companies. Richard negotiated on our behalf with those companies. We only had $900 we could pay and not a penny more. Being the week of Thanksgiving, the average price from all of the Carriers was well over $1100. But Richard went above and beyond refusing to give up until he found us a Carrier, at our asking price, and one with an A+ rating. He worked the details out with the Carrier and explained the rest of the process we would go through from that point.

The Carrier driver called me direct at that point and confirmed AmeriFreight's arrangement. I met the driver at our discussed time, signed off, and off the car went to California. Within 3 days my daughter had her car back safe and sound. I have a very happy daughter and she has her car. We owe it all to AmeriFreight and specifically, Richard **. He was professional and down to earth but most importantly, he knows his job and does it well all while jumping through hoops to oblige his customer's needs. Here's 4 thumbs up from my daughter and I for AmeriFreight. We will definitely choose them for all of our car shipping needs in the future!!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

We lived in Maryland and my husband accepted a new job that required him to travel. His first assignment is out here in Washington State. We have a fifth wheel travel trailer that we were moving across the country but there was no way I was gonna drive our car myself so, we decided to go ahead and have it shipped. I've never had a vehicle shipped before, so I really didn't know where to start. I was using Google to do a web search, find the top picks, and do the very careful research of each review of the company. I found AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight had the great good fortune of having my call initially answered by a young lady named Nicole. She spent 15 minutes with me walking me through step-by-step how it's done, how shipping is accomplished, and that they're a broker. The fact that she spent that much time with me just on my initial call, sort of confirmed my inclination to go with AmeriFreight. It was solely based on Nicole's kindness.

What we paid in the end was about the same and there was no variation in the cost. However, the timing was amazing to me. Among the things I had read when I was doing my research is that it could take up to 30 days to have your vehicle go from point A to point B and I was a little leery. But I ended up getting my vehicle picked up on a Friday and delivered to me the following Thursday. I couldn't believe it and I was amazed at how quickly it got here. And Nicole called me every few days throughout the process telling me if my car has been picked up, where it is, and when they expect to get it to me.

We were already out here in Washington when they picked the vehicle up. My neighbor who supervised the process and the gentleman who picked it up was very accommodating. He seemed to really have a focus on doing a good job and making sure my vehicle was safely loaded and on its way. Then, the gentleman who actually delivered it here in Washington called me a couple of different times over the last two days before it arrived and making sure I knew practically minute by minute where he was, when he would be here, and when he would be able to unload the car. The communication, which was the biggest thing to me, ended up being just superb. Also, the vehicle was perfect when it arrived and was exactly as I left it. She needed a bath, but that's understandable. It was a 3,000 mile-trip.

AmeriFreight is the absolute best in terms of customer service. They were very diligent with their communication and they get how important this is to me. It was a little Honda CRV that I, one person, own and they probably ship thousands of vehicles a year, I would imagine, but they made me feel as if my vehicle was the only one they were shipping. That meant a lot to me. To folks who might be in the same situation as I was, there's a company out there that literally will take your concerns into heart and treat you as well as they treated me.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My wife and I were living in Oregon and we decided to move back to Georgia. That time, we weren’t driving across the country. We were just gonna fly so I wanted to ship my car with someone reputable. I called AmeriFreight and I spoke with their rep, Kimberly. She made it so that it was a good experience and I felt no stress whatsoever. We spoke one day and she found me a carrier the next day or the day after.

When AmeriFreight first gave me the price, it looked right to me, but they called back to let me know that they had made an error and that they have charged me more than they should have. So, they gave me the money that they charged extra back. They are an honest company doing honest work and looking out for the customer and I also wasn’t expecting it because I thought it was correct, to begin with. The whole process was awesome. Once the carrier came over to pick up the car, he was professional. He picked up the car and it was delivered on time.

My father-in-law, who had passed away, had a Mustang that he had left in New York in Rhode Island. At the time, he had been working on it and it was inoperable. My wife and I decided that because it was her father’s car and she grew up with it, we were gonna keep it, but we needed to send it down here. I had worked with another company to see if we can get it moving, but they were taking forever to find a carrier. Once they found the carrier, we had a horrible experience with the carrier. They were unprofessional and there was a lot of miscommunication. When the actual driver arrived with the freight, he said that he didn’t know that it was inoperable even though we had mentioned it several times and the broker had said it several times as well. He delayed the transport even more. We ended up canceling because it was just too much of a hassle and we didn’t wanna deal with the driver. We needed to find someone else.

I decided to go with AmeriFreight again to see if they can do a better job. I spoke with Kimberly again and I told her the whole situation, and she went above and beyond again. A couple of days later, they found me a carrier within the price range that we were looking for and she made sure that they had good ratings. The car arrived a day later after the guy picked it up. AmeriFreight did an incredible job. It was so starkly different from working with the other company and I couldn’t believe it. I kept asking myself why I didn’t use AmeriFreight, to begin with. Kimberly really helped me out. She was on top of it and she kept me in the loop. She would call me every day and let me know where we were at. She called me after both deliveries to make sure that everything was okay. I had excellent experience with AmeriFreight and I would definitely, 100% recommend them to whoever, a friend of mine or whoever needs a vehicle transport.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I went through two other transport companies and fired them so it was a very frustrating experience how a business in the industry operates. I felt I was being deceived so I finally took a gamble and went with AmeriFreight. Their quote wasn't the lowest but they were inline and it was acceptable for the financial part. Our organizer, Jared, was phenomenal. I’ve owned businesses and I’ve had senior management positions with the company, but I’ve not experienced that type of customer service ever in my career. That gentleman was an absolute godsend.

I shared with him my frustrations and I said that I was three weeks behind and I’m trying to get my vehicle. He emailed me on a weekend that he was trying to find a driver and he explained to me how he would assess the work. The two previous companies were not necessarily doing a bad job but they didn’t explain to me how the process works and it was a little arcane but it is what it is. Jared would email me on his way into work so he went so far above and beyond to what I’ve experienced before in every facet.

The interaction that I had with the carrier driver was quick in pace. He said that there was a little stacked on the teeming part of it. The vehicle was supposed to arrive on August 3rd and we got an email on the 31st of July from some connection and not from the driver. The person was nice but he said that we needed to make the appointment and the driver was gonna be at our place on the 1st, which was two days ahead of schedule which was wonderful. But I was out of cellphone battery and was not able to get back to them on the 2nd. A voicemail said that if I didn’t get a hold of them soon, they may have to put our car in a storage and I have to pay to get it out, and I understood that. It was great that they would chase ahead of schedule, but they should've been a little bit more understanding in that context that maybe the customer was simply not available for whatever reason.

But I got hold of them and the gentleman was great. I emailed back and I spoke with the driver himself. He admitted that the residential area that we are in was easy access for a big truck to come in to but he chose to drive my Jeep over which was nice. He is a very polite guy and I expected that everything was absolutely perfect. He was prepared to simply walk back to his truck without taking any rest in getting his truck here, but I drove him back there, we shook hands and he was off on his way.

Jared also did a follow up and asked me how it had been. If AmeriFreight mirrored how Jared handled me, then they will continue to be a very, very sucessfull company. I actually sent a generic email to the owner of the company through their sales office to let the owner know that I’d steal Jared away in an instant if I had my own company so they got to hold on to him.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

We were relocating for work from Philly area to Miami and AmeriFreight's price was good and the reviews that I had seen online definitely made it seem like it was a reliable company. I got a quote online and then I had it verified through an agent as well over the phone. There were a lot of good follow-ups. Definitely they were good at communicating and not only getting me a good deal but also really making sure that I knew when the car was coming to pick me up. The courier driver also understood that I needed my car at a certain time. It was just a one-day later than when I had wanted it to arrive. But, otherwise, he was very good at giving me updates. Plus the vehicle arrived in the same condition. I would recommend AmeriFreight to a friend.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

My son was moving back to San Diego so I needed to ship his car out there. I used AmeriFreight before and I was thrilled with them, so I hired them again. The quote they gave me was reasonable. I got quotes from a few different companies and they were all pretty similar. The AmeriFreight rep I dealt with was also fantastic and I was very comfortable working with him. His name was Harry and he explained everything to me. The driver was great, too. He couldn’t come to our house because we live in a residential area and he couldn’t bring his truck there, so he gave us a meeting place that was a quarter of a mile from our house, and it was perfect. It took two weeks from when I booked the transport to the time that the car arrived in California and its condition was exactly how it was when it left. Shipping with AmeriFreight was the easiest experience for me. I was very stressed about doing it and they made it very simple.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I bought a new vehicle from Boston and I needed to ship it to Florida. I went through the reviews of different sites and chose AmeriFreight for the job. The driver I had was very good and cordial. It was perfect. The entire process took a few weeks because I had to take the quote then I had to make my decisions. The initial quote I was given was very good, but the price I got was a little bit on the expensive side. I'm okay with that though. Also, on the AmeriFreight side, the process didn't take more than four days. It was a pretty good experience.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

My experience with AmeriFreight was very easy and convenient. Their quote was competitive and although it was higher than some of the others, I stayed with AmeriFreight for their service reviews. I was moving from New Jersey to Texas and Harry was excellent. He was the transport organizer I dealt with. Then on the day of delivery, my experience with the driver was very smooth as well. It did not take very long. It was 30 minutes or less.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I was moving and needed to have my car shipped. I just graduated from Case Western in Ohio, and I was moving back home to Seattle. I did some research online and I got AmeriFreight. The transport organizer, Erica, was great. I thought I was giving her a difficult time because I thought that she was gonna call me when she found a truck. But then, she thought that I was gonna check my email. So, I didn't respond for a whole week. And then, when I checked my email, I found that she's been Gmailing me. I was like, "Oh, crap." So, it kinda gave her like a last-minute task because my flight was in five days. And then, she found one. It was great. It all worked out. I was super thankful.

The driver quoted me a date and they didn't call and didn't do anything. So, the trucking company is what I had a problem with. On the quoted date, I had to call in and they were like, "Oh, your car has been here for two weeks already. We haven't gotten to you. If you want, we can try and deliver it to you next day." And so, the next day came, they called me and were like, "Oh. I don't who was talking to you about that. But your thing was scheduled for another week." I went to pick up my car because I need it. Also, all the windows were open and the car was in the junkyard. And I did put a granola bar in there, which I didn't realize, and then, mice came inside, so I had to clean some of my interior stuff.

I would work with AmeriFreight again, but that trucking company clearly went past the date that they quoted me on, and it was gonna be an additional week and a half late, and my inside was a mess. I made sure I told the trucker, "Hey, even if it gets super hot, I don't think you should open my window." And he didn't communicate with them and so, the windows all open and the car sitting in the junkyard, animals went into my stuff. There were some animal feces in there too. It was super dirty. There were crumbs everywhere and it was not a pretty sight. But my car was fine. I wouldn't recommend the trucking company, but I'd recommend AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight Company Information