4.4/5 (455 ratings)

About AmeriFreight

AmeriFreight addresses the three most important areas of shipping a vehicle: price, quality and safety.

No other company has done more to help consumers save money. In fact, AmeriFreight will negotiate with the top 5% of more than 11,000 carriers for the best possible rate to ship your vehicle, and no carrier with less than a 95% internal quality rating will be considered to ship their customers’ vehicles.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Ships nationwide
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Discounts available

Cons

• Deposit required

Bottom Line

AmeriFreight is a nationwide auto transporter offering a price guarantee, several discounts and an AFta gap insurance plan. Although an initial deposit is required, free quotes and a money-back guarantee sweeten the deal.

Top AmeriFreight Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company?

Verified

The entire transport took six days and the vehicle arrived in good condition … My interactions with the transport organizer were clear and concise. He answered all my questions an...

Verified

Harry, the transport organizer, was very diligent and did a great job. He called us back a bunch of times throughout the process with different quotes and kept us updated. We appr...

About AmeriFreight Auto Transport

AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker that works with a network of reliable carriers to help consumers transport their cars and other vehicles across the lower 48 states, Canada and a few other select locations. AmeriFreight offers a price guarantee, so the price you are quoted is the price you will pay. AmeriFreight also offers several discounts, so be sure to ask if you qualify for any of them. AFta gap insurance covers unexpected damages, so customers can have peace of mind knowing their car is covered. AmeriFreight can ship motorcycles, automobiles, trailers, RVs, boats, classic cars and trucks.

AmeriFreight cost

AmeriFreight notes that costs range from $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Looking at the numbers on Amerifreight’s site, we estimate the average cost of a cross-country auto transport is about $935. Several factors will affect the cost, like the season, vehicle condition, vehicle size, distance traveled and popularity of the route.

You can use AmeriFreight’s rate calculator on their website to get a better idea of how much it will cost to ship your vehicle. AmeriFreight also has a chart listing estimated prices for several popular routes, and the company provides discounts for military, first responders, students and seniors.

AmeriFreight car shipping estimates

PickupDropoffCost
Washington, DCFort Lauderdale$750
AtlantaLos Angeles$850
San FranciscoNew York City$1,050
HoustonSpokane$1,250

AmeriFreight car shipping options

AmeriFreight ships to the contiguous United States, Canada and select international locations. AmeriFreight can also ship trailers, RVs, motorcycles, classic cars, trucks and boats. You can choose to go with enclosed shipping for cars that need additional protection. Door-to-door shipping is AmeriFreight’s most popular option due to its convenience — this means your car will be picked up at its current location and dropped off exactly where you want it.

AFta gap insurance plan works to cover up to $1,000 in damage for major events or up to $400 for minor damage. Lost keys and rental reimbursement required in the case of delayed deliveries are also covered. As long as the issue is reported within 48 hours of delivery, the AFta gap insurance should be able to cover it.

AmeriFreight shipping process

AmeriFreight details the auto transport process on their website. Remember, your car must be cleared of all belongings before shipping.

1. Get a quote from AmeriFreight
  2. Confirm your order online
  3. Make your initial deposit
  4. Prep car and check car condition
  5. Pick up vehicle at pre-determined location
  6. Inspect vehicle for damage

AmeriFreight FAQ

Can AmeriFreight ship motorcycles?
Yes. In addition to cars, AmeriFreight can ship classic cars, motorcycles, trailers, RVs, boats and trucks.
Does AmeriFreight offer insurance?
Yes. The company's insurance covers up to $1,000 in the case of major events or $400 for minor damages.
How much does an AmeriFreight quote cost?
Nothing. AmeriFreight quotes are free.

Do we recommend AmeriFreight?

We like AmeriFreight’s transparent pricing as well as its gap insurance that covers your car in the event of unexpected damages. We also like that the company ships trucks, motorcycles, RVs, trailers and boats in addition to cars. AmeriFreight reviews mention a smooth auto transport process and, since that is what most consumers are looking for when transporting a car, we recommend using AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I recently needed to move another vehicle from New York to Florida. Since I had a previous relationship with AmeriFreight, I reached out to them by email and phone. They said that I might get a discount because I was a repeat customer. The agent that picked up my email started explaining the process to me and then said that because I've worked with Harry before, he'd hand me off to Harry, which was seamless. What was great was they didn't just say, “Oh, Harry's your guy. You'll have to wait for him to call you back.” They actually started to work on it. The communication was very effective.

AmeriFreight is acting like a broker and they post things to the big board, and then drivers bid on it, which I ended up learning more about how this works. Also, what I found is this is a little bit of a commodity. All brokers do that, unless somehow you're working with the broker shipper and they do it in-house. But this is not an in-house shipping company. It was some third party.

There was a mix-up with the title of the vehicle because it was handed to the driver and somebody somewhere in the process, which was nothing to do with AmeriFreight. Since it was purchased from an auction house, the people at that auction house should not have given the title to the driver. It was supposed to come in the mail to me later and so I ended up having to mail the title back. There was another complication here because I was working with a broker on the auction side in order to buy it from the auction because I don't have a dealer's license and then I had to work with AmeriFreight as a broker to figure out the best way to ship it. Then one of the challenges when working with an auction house is that the driver may have to sit there for up to two hours to get all the paperwork. The driver never complained about any of that or never asked for more money, and so whatever driver did the job, they were good about it.

The other thing is that the way these systems typically work is you pay AmeriFreight a deposit with a credit card and then to get “the best deal,” you pay the driver cash on delivery. My instincts tell me AmeriFreight keeps the credit card payment deposit and the driver keeps the cash and that gives some sense of where the monies are going. In my example, it was $1,200 shipping fee. The whole cost was $1,200. Approximately 300 was the AmeriFreight deposit, and the driver was given 900 in cash. 25% for the brokerage fee is pretty hefty. But they were the correct rate. I had quoted with other companies and they came in at the same price.

The key to a first-time person who has never shipped a vehicle before is to understand the difference between working with a shipping broker versus working with a shipping carrier. If he's able to speak directly with the company that owns the trucks and pays the drivers, then it may result in different expectations than if he's working with a company like AmeriFreight that is in the business of going and finding the best driver at the time.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

We were under a tight, tight timeframe to get the car transported so the stakes were high. Our experience with AmeriFright was totally good. I got a really nice lady on the phone and she handled my fears and explained what it is they do. She explained that they're a market intermediary and they interface between truck drivers and the public. They understand what you want and then they put it up for a bid. She said, “Okay, let me take down what you need and we'll put that in the quote, and we'll see what comes up.”

She gave me a quote and I thought, “Oh, that can't be. This is too cheap.” I want to pay the market standard amount so I get the full service I'm asking for. So I said that to her. I said, “What's missing here?” And she said, “Nothing's missing. This is the quote. We got it from a supplier in California, a trucker here.” And I said, “Okay. So this is the date I want the car. Is that clear?” And she said, “Yes.”

I gulped and paid the full amount upfront. It freaks me out that I have to pay the full amount upfront or come with a check. I have to come with cash in hand to meet the truck driver at the destination. That seemed crazy and I didn't want to do that. I wanted them to be on the hook to deliver my car by paying them upfront. I preferred to pay upfront on Visa even though it was a little more. At least I had the protection of Visa and my particular card gives me 2% back so it ended up being a premium of 4%, which I swallowed. It was okay because then I know if they don't deliver, I could call up Visa and get them on it and they would do something for me.

In addition to my standard service, I wanted Auto-Protect Plus, which is where they basically give you a little insurance policy. If your car is damaged, they will pay that damage. The pay upfront and the extra special insurance ended up being another $250. The total bill was around 1,650 to have my car transported across the country. This was not a fee I relished paying, but I had to do it and it solved my problem.

Millie, my contact at AmeriFreight, said, “I'm now going to turn over your communication to CA Car Transport”. On my own initiative, I called them up. English was not their first language, which is why they probably make use of AmeriFreight. But they were very polite. They said, “What's your order number?” They looked it up and they said, “Yup, yup. We see it. You're going to get a call from the driver in two days.”

After that call, I got a call. The man said, “Hello. This is your driver for your car.” He said, “Yeah, I'm in New York State. I've got a couple of drop-offs and then I'll be over to see you. It'll be around dinner time. And they're going to tell you where to meet me.” The office called me and said exactly where to meet him, which was in a shopping mall. And I couldn't believe they picked that place because it's a very busy grocery store parking lot. So I'm sitting there in the parking area and lo and behold, this guy Steve drives in with this gigantic truck. It was like watching a cruise liner pull into a pond.” And he said to me, “Who picked this place?” And I said, “Talk to your office.” He was driving this enormous thing totally expertly and he told me what I needed to do, which was to line up and he would drive the car on the truck. He gets my keys, we sign the paperwork, and he drives it on the truck. Within 15 minutes, he was gone.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Anybody I deal with, I go by how honest they are. The young lady from AmeriFreight was very personable and upfront. I felt like from the very beginning, that she was 100% honest, very forthright. She said, “Let me explain the process to you. Let me explain how this works. We put it out there for bids. I'm gonna put it out there for the lowest bid. I can put it out there for you. But honestly, a lot of times, guys don't buy it on the lowest bid.” She was on the phone with me for 45 minutes. Very honest in explaining to me the process and how it works. I probably talked to a dozen companies and she was the only one that I felt like I wasn't wasting her time.

The first quote that she provided me, she said, with the fees and everything, she said she would try and get me in the $1,100 range. But she said, “Sometimes, it's hard to get them to bite on this. It just depends on what their load is and where they're at and things like that.” She explained to me what their fees were, so that was $1,100 including their fees, which would have put the driver at 800 bucks or whatever. And she said, “So chances are, it's going to come in a little bit more than that. But let's try with this.” I said, “Listen, I'm not gonna tell you how to do your job. You're honest. You're fair. Make it happen.”

She called me back a day later and she said, “As I discussed with you, I wasn't sure whether we could get you in at the lower rates, but we got you in it.” It was 1,390, which I thought was fair because everybody else was looking at $1,600, $1,700, $1,800. And I said to her, “Hey, sounds fair to me. And I appreciate your honesty.” And she said, “Do you want me to roll with it?” “Make it happen.” I've probably talked to her on the phone half a dozen times through this process. She called and said, “I want to let you know who your driver is. I want to let you know who the company is that’s moving the car. I want to tell you what their rating is and how well they're insured.” She went through the whole thing with me.

It was so effortless. But even the driver that the company that we used that she lined us up with went above and beyond. He stayed in contact with me, called me a couple of times while the car's being transported, called me at his halfway point. Said, “Yeah. I'm about halfway out from your location.” He said, “I picked the closes dealership to your house. I wanted to make it easy on you.” I said, “A good friend of mine owns the Chevrolet dealership right across the street. I'm not going to be able to get the car. My wife can meet you up there. But would you mind dropping it at that Chevrolet dealership? I'll call Mike right now and see if that's okay. Then we can leave the car there until we get off work this evening to pick it up.”

He asked, “What's that address?” And I said, “Well, I don't know the address. I just know the name of the dealership.” He said, “It didn't come up on my GPS when I was looking for different places to drop. If you can give me an address, call me back.” So I got him the address. I called him back. But when I did, he was pulling up. He said, “Oh, yeah. I found it.” And, “Man, I’ll help you out any way I can help you out. You want me to drop it across the street? That's perfectly fine. I'll make it happen.” The driver and the people at AmeriFreight were awesome. It was the smoothest thing I've ever done.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I contacted AmeriFreight and they looked at the type of vehicle and the dates that I was looking at. They posted on some kind of bulletin and then there are other companies to take a bid and be like, "Oh, I can do it." But they already set a set rate. So, there's the rate that you have to pay them for doing the communications, and then you have to pay the company another separate set rate. The process was a little stressful because you're giving your car to a company and they don't tell you that you're not going to hear anything until the day before. If you're organizing everything and then you're giving your car to someone, you kind of want to know that a ride is confirmed and by who, but I didn't really know until the day before or a couple of days before.

With the company that they got for me, they told me that I had a 48-hour window that they would come pick my car up. It got into that window and I still hadn't been contacted. So, I had to contact and I wasn't really happy about that. I was like, "You should contact me before that window to tell me when in that window you're going to get it." So, within those 48 hours, I was sitting here stressing, trying to figure out when and where and all these other details amongst my move.

The same thing happened on the other end. It got into that window and I was like, "Okay, no one's contacting me," so I had to contact them. AmeriFreight was really good. It was the other company. I kept having to go through all these people and that made it kind of frustrating. I contacted the driver, the driver didn't answer, so I contacted AmeriFreight and AmeriFreight was like, "Let me contact the driver." At that point, there was a different driver. So, it was like going into circles. I was supposed to get the car on Friday, then they gave my car to a local deliverer, and they don't work on the weekends. So, I didn't get it until the following Monday.

I understand there's traffic and things change and there's a lot of other cars. But I just wanted to know and I want to be contacted and communicated with. I don't want to have to reach out to get information on my stuff. If they would have told me firsthand before the time window that, "Okay, we're running a little bit late. The local deliverers don't work on the weekends. And so, you're not going to get your car till Monday," that would have been fine. But because I had to go through the hunt and then find out on my own that I wasn't getting my car until Monday, that was frustrating. I was supposed to take a video of my car. When I got it, I was allowed to inspect it and then sign off. So, in that process, I was fine and my car was fine.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

My husband got an awesome job opportunity in TX and we were given 2 mo to relocate from Seattle, WA. I researched various auto transport companies making sure they utilized carriers that are insured (my vehicle is protected), offered AFta GAP Protection (additional vehicle protection with different options), did not require deposit until they found a carrier that could deliver on the date I needed and at the cost I was willing to pay, read many positive reviews by previous clients, and vetted carriers (my carrier had a 98% approval rating).

Amerifreight checks all the boxes and goes above and beyond when it comes to customer service. My service agent was Danielle R and she was absolutely AMAZING!! A little background, my husband and I have never moved and we were also in the process of selling our home (also a first time experience for both of us). We were under a lot of stress and it felt like everything that could go wrong - went wrong. With the exception of transporting our vehicles! Danielle assured me that she could have our vehicles in TX by 8/4/21. She said she could have a driver available within a 3-5 day timeframe to ensure delivery on 8/4/21. Our two cars were picked up on 7/30/21 and delivered on 8/4/21.

Danielle was always quick to respond via email or phone to my unending questions - looking back, I was likely one of the more annoying clients she had. Sorry Danielle. Her demeanor was very kind and her communication was clear and reassuring. Even after our vehicles were delivered/payment was provided, she made sure to follow up regarding my satisfaction with her service as well as the carrier/transporter/driver. I felt like I was in good hands throughout the entire process!

The positive experience I had with Amerifreight extended to the excellent service I had with the carrier/transporter (driver name Beka with US Forward US DOT 2895043). He was pleasant to work with, performed a thorough inspection of the vehicles, delivered without damage to vehicles, and communicated throughout the transport process. He truly went above and beyond!

Which would be an empty claim without explanation, so here it goes. We were traveling with our cat and dog, most flights/airlines do not allow pets to go in cargo due to the summer heat advisories - safety first. The night before our flight 8/4/21, we were informed that pets were not allowed to fly between 8am-8pm due to extreme heat. Fortunately were were able to change our flight so we would arrive in TX 8/4/21 at 11:59pm, however, no one would be available in TX to receive our vehicles. I explained the situation to Beka that he would beat us to TX and he was very understanding. This delay probably cost him valuable time and money. He kindly delivered the vehicles on 8/5/21 at 7am. If I had to relocate my vehicles again, I would definitely go with AMERIFREIGHT. Without hesitation I’d highly recommend them to friends, family, and anyone needing this service. Truly exceptional service from beginning to the end!

Original review: May 15, 2022

Terrible Trade Practices. Was quoted $1330 to ship a car from Ohio to California. Talked to agent on phone and she assured me the price wouldn't go up. Since I was under a deadline to ship it, once I committed to the price verbally, 3-4 days later they come back with $1950. I had no choice but to ship it as the timeline to move was approaching. A week earlier I had another quote well below the $1950 they charged me from another company. This was a complete bait and switch. My back was against the wall and unfortunately I couldn't make a change. Just as in other complaints that are filed against them they will attach the contract. What people fail to realize is the verbal ** they submit to you in order to hook you in. I will be pursuing this with the ftc as well. Terrible trade practices. Also customer service and communication was awful.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I called Amerifright in early February to get information on shipping my car from Allentown, PA to SLC, UT. I spoke with Lecia ** and she seemed as if I was bothering her. I decided to call back the next day to speak with someone else instead, but by that point Lecia was already my “contact” for my account. I told Lecia that I need my car in Utah no earlier than March 12th. She confirmed. She then called me on February 14th and told me that there is a transport ready to pick up my car and they will have it there by February 20th. I told her again, that I need it there no earlier than March 12th. She told me that she will put me in the system to start searching on March 7th and it will get there no earlier than March 12th.

March 5th rolls around and I still do not hear from her, so I call the company to ask about my car. Turns out, she was OOO the week of March 7th and never communicated this to me. Better yet, she had my earliest pickup date for my car set as March 15th - when I repeatedly told her that I need it there March 12th or soon after. Since she was OOO, I spoke with two other representatives who were awesome. They changed the information in my account and were able to help me with my car. They continued to help me throughout my entire process and it was great.

Never heard from Lecia ** about anything UNTIL she texted me twice, asking me to write her a 5 star review - saying that it would really hurt her if I wrote anything less. She honestly doesn’t even deserve 1 star. She did absolutely nothing right with my account, and made this entire process extremely stressful. I am SO thankful that the other two women were able to step in and help. I would like this situation to be addressed, as I would hate for someone else to experience this. I have never experienced someone do their job so poorly.

Original review: May 12, 2022

Jorge the transporter was an absolute delight to deal with, although they arrived 3 days early to pick the car up, he handled the transition well and kept me informed the entire time...Melissa from Amerifrieght was pleasant, professional and didn't mind any time I called and was able to answer all my questions right away..

Original review: May 12, 2022

I reached out to AmeriFreight and then found out that they were an aggregator and I got a better understanding of how this whole process worked. I liked that the initial communication was very clear and then I understood what we were looking at. If other aggregators are competing against myself, AmeriFreight at least took the time to be thorough. Also, they had really good reviews online and with the BBB. So once I started working with them, I didn't feel the need to look for anybody else. We had a good experience.

The final cost was about $300 more than the initial quote. It was a substantial amount. But this car had been at the dealership for so long and it was in Rolla, Missouri. It was not in the easiest place to get to. So I figured the final cost was gonna be more. The driver was really good and gave me options. He picked up the car on a Tuesday and delivered it on a Wednesday, from Missouri to Virginia.

Once the driver got close, he texted and let me know he could either drop off the car at 10:00 at night or first thing in the morning. I told him, “What's gonna be easiest for you? ‘Cause we're all awake, and we're ready to do this.” He said it would be easier to do it that night. It worked out well. He also told us that he would let us know if he was running a little late. We had a delightful conversation with him. The car came very well packed. The battery of the car was dead during transport and he jump-started it. We drove it all around. He made sure we were all okay. Our street was really narrow and he was flexible in how to figure out how to get the car off in the safest way possible.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I had a great experience shipping my car with AmeriFreight! This was my first time shipping a car and I was very anxious about the whole process. Earl answered all my questions and provided me with the information I needed. He kept me updated regularly and checked in to make sure the pick up and drop off went smoothly. This definitely helped ease my anxiety while dealing with the rest of my move! I will definitely be recommending AmeriFreight to friends and family in the future.

AmeriFreight Company Information