2. Auto Transporters

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.64/5
Based on 2,429 ratings

AmeriFreight addresses the three most important areas of shipping a vehicle: price, quality and safety.

No other company has done more to help consumers save money. In fact, AmeriFreight will negotiate with the top 5% of more than 11,000 carriers for the best possible rate to ship your vehicle, and no carrier with less than a 95% internal quality rating will be considered to ship their customers’ vehicles.

AmeriFreight also realizes no amount of customer service effort can compensate for failure to treat their carriers with respect; therefore, the team strives to offer the best employment opportunities and work environment.

As safety is central to every customer’s thought when shipping a vehicle, AmeriFreight offers the best possible protection through the industry standard AFta PLAN. This means your vehicle coverage goes above and beyond the limited plan provided by carriers.

BOTTOM LINE

AmeriFreight is a nationwide auto transporter offering a price guarantee, several discounts and an AFta gap insurance plan. Although an initial deposit is required, free quotes and a money-back guarantee sweeten the deal.

PROS

• Money-back guarantee
  • Ships nationwide
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Discounts available

CONS

• Deposit required

Top AmeriFreight Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company?

The entire transport took six days and the vehicle arrived in good condition … My interactions with the transport organizer were clear and concise. He answered all my questions and was available whenever I needed to ask questions or call about something.

Harry, the transport organizer, was very diligent and did a great job. He called us back a bunch of times throughout the process with different quotes and kept us updated. We appreciated that. My wife said that both persons who picked up and dropped the car were very sweet and on time.

AmeriFreight Call Now Toll Free (770) 486-1010 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

About AmeriFreight Auto Transport

AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker that works with a network of reliable carriers to help consumers transport their cars and other vehicles across the lower 48 states, Canada and a few other select locations. AmeriFreight offers a price guarantee, so the price you are quoted is the price you will pay. AmeriFreight also offers several discounts, so be sure to ask if you qualify for any of them. AFta gap insurance covers unexpected damages, so customers can have peace of mind knowing their car is covered. AmeriFreight can ship motorcycles, automobiles, trailers, RVs, boats, classic cars and trucks.

AmeriFreight cost

AmeriFreight notes that costs range from $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Looking at the numbers on Amerifreight’s site, we estimate the average cost of a cross-country auto transport is about $935. Several factors will affect the cost, like the season, vehicle condition, vehicle size, distance traveled and popularity of the route.

You can use AmeriFreight’s rate calculator on their website to get a better idea of how much it will cost to ship your vehicle. AmeriFreight also has a chart listing estimated prices for several popular routes, and the company provides discounts for military, first responders, students and seniors.

AmeriFreight car shipping estimates

PickupDropoffCost
Washington, DCFort Lauderdale$750
AtlantaLos Angeles$850
San FranciscoNew York City$1,050
HoustonSpokane$1,250

AmeriFreight car shipping options

AmeriFreight ships to the contiguous United States, Canada and select international locations. AmeriFreight can also ship trailers, RVs, motorcycles, classic cars, trucks and boats. You can choose to go with enclosed shipping for cars that need additional protection. Door-to-door shipping is AmeriFreight’s most popular option due to its convenience — this means your car will be picked up at its current location and dropped off exactly where you want it.

AFta gap insurance plan works to cover up to $1,000 in damage for major events or up to $400 for minor damage. Lost keys and rental reimbursement required in the case of delayed deliveries are also covered. As long as the issue is reported within 48 hours of delivery, the AFta gap insurance should be able to cover it.

AmeriFreight shipping process

AmeriFreight details the auto transport process on their website. Remember, your car must be cleared of all belongings before shipping.

1. Get a quote from AmeriFreight
  2. Confirm your order online
  3. Make your initial deposit
  4. Prep car and check car condition
  5. Pick up vehicle at pre-determined location
  6. Inspect vehicle for damage

AmeriFreight FAQ

Can AmeriFreight ship motorcycles?
Yes. In addition to cars, AmeriFreight can ship classic cars, motorcycles, trailers, RVs, boats and trucks.
Does AmeriFreight offer insurance?
Yes. The company's insurance covers up to $1,000 in the case of major events or $400 for minor damages.
How much does an AmeriFreight quote cost?
Nothing. AmeriFreight quotes are free.

Do we recommend AmeriFreight?

We like AmeriFreight’s transparent pricing as well as its gap insurance that covers your car in the event of unexpected damages. We also like that the company ships trucks, motorcycles, RVs, trailers and boats in addition to cars. AmeriFreight reviews mention a smooth auto transport process and, since that is what most consumers are looking for when transporting a car, we recommend using AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

In early October, 2020, I had to ship a vehicle from NY to Atlanta. As a first time shipper, I had my Investigations dept within the City of NY do backgrounds checks on several transportation companies. I decided to go w/ AmeriFreight. The Freight Agent Danielle ** was magnificent, arranged for vehicle to be shipped the following day. The level of Customer Service was absolutely fabulous. The Truck Driver/Carrier was a professional and the vehicle was delivered two days later. Don't waste your time researching these fly-by-night Transportation companies go with AmeriFreight.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Amerifreight quoted me less than $1,100 to ship my car from California to Massachusetts. After a week of trying to find a company that would take the job, they came back with a quote of around $1,700 including insurance. This ends up putting them at a higher rate than virtually every other reputable quote I received. Part of the reason for this seems to be that they take a larger cut than most brokers.

I did a fair bit of research into different brokers and was impressed at AmeriFreight's ratings online. Then I found out in the contract for listing the car that every customer is required to submit a review. This explains their high marks as most businesses have lower ratings than actual customer perception due to the fact that happy customers are less likely to review than unhappy ones. As such, Amerifreight's stellar reviews are likely over-inflated compared to competitors that do not require all customers to rate them.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Kaye ** was my agent. She walked me through everything. Helped me get my new car picked up and shipped quick and easy. There was an issue with a carrier but Amerifreight was fast to fix the problem with little stress to me. Would definitely use them again.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I'm shipping a vehicle this summer & doing research now so I don't get taken advantage of. This was the first broker I contacted after reading the article: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto/cost-to-ship-a-car.html. I gave the rep all req'd info & she was more or less vague the entire time. She was also quite condescending when I told her that I'd be shipping this summer. She proceeded telling me more than once that I was picking one of the most expensive times of the year to ship, college students are moving, schools are getting out, & that's what I can remember off the top of my head! I felt like I had gone to the principal's office.

Anyway, long story long, I called a second broker who refused to quote me because he said it was too far out and surprise, surprise, this lady has already sent me a quote for $925. I learned *so much* after talking to her competitor that I wanted to warn other people about AmeriFreight's practices. Maybe this is a one-off, maybe not. Do your homework, you've been warned.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

AmeriFreight set me up with a carrier. Long story short, Carrier damaged multiple aspects to my vehicle internally and won't take responsibility. Bottom line is I will be suing them. As for Amerifreight, knowing this occurred and that this carrier has a history of this behavior, Amerifreight continues to use them showing that they could care less about customers.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

In September 2019, several sales representatives worked behind the scenes to manipulate a higher rate from us so that they can get a better commission. The manager Jorge reluctantly got involved after numerous calls and emails, because we did not get any service and communications from any of the sales rep on shipping after they took our money. I had to be in direct communication with the shipper and we both wanted to negotiate a reduced rate for an earlier departure but we couldn't do anything because AmeriFreight did not response to either of us to finalize my insurance packet or modify the total cost. It was also confusing because I couldn't tell if I was booked with two shippers because two shipping companies called me about AmeriFreight, and we never engaged any other shipping bookers.

Lecia ** started a contract but was not working every time I called and asked for her and she did not return calls. Sam was her sub when she was on leave, and she used high pressure tactics such as cancelling our contract interest with less than 24 hrs notice when we did not respond to a shipping offer on Labor Day, a holiday. Her offer price was high and we had to think about it. So when we learned she cancelled us, we signed up again to request shipping with them. That was a mistake. We should have trusted our instincts when we experienced high pressure and unethical business tactics.

Kathryn ** was the next sale rep who took our new contract interest. She gave us a better rate and we immediately accepted. I called to make payment but there was confusion with another sales rep because Kathryn could not be reached. The next day Sam/Lecia called to asked if we still wanted to ship. I said yes but am working with Kathryn since they cancelled my initial contract. She told me that she was going to talk to Kathryn and quickly got me off the phone. Kathryn told us that we can only ship at the higher initial rate and not the lower that she found for us. We weren't in a hurry for the vehicle and there was no reason for the high rate and pressure.

Despite the frustration, we finalized the shipping with them just to be done and to get our vehicle booked. This was the worst vehicle shipping experience. I would never use AmeriFreight again or recommend them to anyone. After they took our money, we couldn't get service. We were sent directly to voicemail and didn't get any call backs from Kathryn, Lecia, or Sam. Manager Jorge didn't respond to initial emails; he only responded when there was a sale rep with enough compassion to go to him on our behalf because our shipping date was upon us and we said that we couldn't tell if AmeriFreight double booked us because we didn't know what the competing sales reps booked.

Certainly not everyone at AmeriFreight has self-serving business practices because I was able to find two people who explained what should have happened and was empathetic. However, there is no compensation to the customer for their poor coordination and practices. I never heard if the manager spoke with the sales rep to correct these inappropriate practices. There are numerous emails and phone calls that documents and verifies these events.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

AmeriFreight handled shipping our car from central Florida to Saratoga Springs, NY back in May of this year. We had never done this and knew nothing of the process. Erica ** was our agent. She was so patient, friendly and professional. So when it came time to reverse the process we called her again. She found us a transporter in the time frame we needed and worked to get us the best price possible. She called us to keep us informed and checked after the car delivery to make sure all went well. The peace of mind dealing with AmeriFreight through Erica was priceless.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I recently moved from California to Washington and needed my car to be shipped within a very limited window of time. Harry ** from AmeriFreight provided a quote immediately following my inquiry. He also consistently called me with specific details for the car shipping process as we went along and was excellent in answering any questions. He assured me that it’s typical to get an available driver on the first date of pick up (especially going up the 5 North from California to Washington), which is exactly what happened! He was accommodating of all my needs, e.g. budget, having another person at pickup, and specific dates/times for pickup and delivery. Thank you so much for getting my car to Seattle so quickly and within my budget of under $1000!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I was super stressed about finding a good company to transport my brand new SUV cross-country from California to Ohio. But our AmeriFreight rep, Samantha **, made it completely worry free. From getting me a quote in a timely manner to answering my 1000 questions, she was always available to me. And our car arrived even faster than expected and in excellent condition. Samantha made this process the easiest part of our move. I definitely recommend using them for your transport needs.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I had just finished medical school, and I was moving from Miami to two hours south of Chicago. I had a wedding to go to, so I didn't wanna drive my car to California and then to Illinois. So then, I figured I'll just ship my car to Illinois. It seemed to be a better option at the time, and everything worked out. I was looking online, and then I spoke to a bunch of different people from different companies. AmeriFreight gave me a very good rate compared to the other companies. Also, the customer service rep was friendly and personable. I felt like I wasn't just business. The driver came a little early, and he was friendly too. He was cool and we looked over the car together and I have no complaints. I got my vehicle, and everything went well. I'd definitely recommend AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight Company Information