2. Automotive
  3. Auto Transporters

4.3/5 (318 ratings)

About AmeriFreight

AmeriFreight addresses the three most important areas of shipping a vehicle: price, quality and safety.

No other company has done more to help consumers save money. In fact, AmeriFreight will negotiate with the top 5% of more than 11,000 carriers for the best possible rate to ship your vehicle, and no carrier with less than a 95% internal quality rating will be considered to ship their customers’ vehicles.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Ships nationwide
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Discounts available

Cons

• Deposit required

Bottom Line

AmeriFreight is a nationwide auto transporter offering a price guarantee, several discounts and an AFta gap insurance plan. Although an initial deposit is required, free quotes and a money-back guarantee sweeten the deal.

Top AmeriFreight Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company?

Verified

The entire transport took six days and the vehicle arrived in good condition … My interactions with the transport organizer were clear and concise. He answered all my questions an...

Verified

Harry, the transport organizer, was very diligent and did a great job. He called us back a bunch of times throughout the process with different quotes and kept us updated. We appr...

About AmeriFreight Auto Transport

AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker that works with a network of reliable carriers to help consumers transport their cars and other vehicles across the lower 48 states, Canada and a few other select locations. AmeriFreight offers a price guarantee, so the price you are quoted is the price you will pay. AmeriFreight also offers several discounts, so be sure to ask if you qualify for any of them. AFta gap insurance covers unexpected damages, so customers can have peace of mind knowing their car is covered. AmeriFreight can ship motorcycles, automobiles, trailers, RVs, boats, classic cars and trucks.

AmeriFreight cost

AmeriFreight notes that costs range from $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Looking at the numbers on Amerifreight’s site, we estimate the average cost of a cross-country auto transport is about $935. Several factors will affect the cost, like the season, vehicle condition, vehicle size, distance traveled and popularity of the route.

You can use AmeriFreight’s rate calculator on their website to get a better idea of how much it will cost to ship your vehicle. AmeriFreight also has a chart listing estimated prices for several popular routes, and the company provides discounts for military, first responders, students and seniors.

AmeriFreight car shipping estimates

PickupDropoffCost
Washington, DCFort Lauderdale$750
AtlantaLos Angeles$850
San FranciscoNew York City$1,050
HoustonSpokane$1,250

AmeriFreight car shipping options

AmeriFreight ships to the contiguous United States, Canada and select international locations. AmeriFreight can also ship trailers, RVs, motorcycles, classic cars, trucks and boats. You can choose to go with enclosed shipping for cars that need additional protection. Door-to-door shipping is AmeriFreight’s most popular option due to its convenience — this means your car will be picked up at its current location and dropped off exactly where you want it.

AFta gap insurance plan works to cover up to $1,000 in damage for major events or up to $400 for minor damage. Lost keys and rental reimbursement required in the case of delayed deliveries are also covered. As long as the issue is reported within 48 hours of delivery, the AFta gap insurance should be able to cover it.

AmeriFreight shipping process

AmeriFreight details the auto transport process on their website. Remember, your car must be cleared of all belongings before shipping.

1. Get a quote from AmeriFreight
  2. Confirm your order online
  3. Make your initial deposit
  4. Prep car and check car condition
  5. Pick up vehicle at pre-determined location
  6. Inspect vehicle for damage

AmeriFreight FAQ

Can AmeriFreight ship motorcycles?
Yes. In addition to cars, AmeriFreight can ship classic cars, motorcycles, trailers, RVs, boats and trucks.
Does AmeriFreight offer insurance?
Yes. The company's insurance covers up to $1,000 in the case of major events or $400 for minor damages.
How much does an AmeriFreight quote cost?
Nothing. AmeriFreight quotes are free.

Do we recommend AmeriFreight?

We like AmeriFreight’s transparent pricing as well as its gap insurance that covers your car in the event of unexpected damages. We also like that the company ships trucks, motorcycles, RVs, trailers and boats in addition to cars. AmeriFreight reviews mention a smooth auto transport process and, since that is what most consumers are looking for when transporting a car, we recommend using AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I contacted AmeriFreight and they looked at the type of vehicle and the dates that I was looking at. They posted on some kind of bulletin and then there are other companies to take a bid and be like, "Oh, I can do it." But they already set a set rate. So, there's the rate that you have to pay them for doing the communications, and then you have to pay the company another separate set rate. The process was a little stressful because you're giving your car to a company and they don't tell you that you're not going to hear anything until the day before. If you're organizing everything and then you're giving your car to someone, you kind of want to know that a ride is confirmed and by who, but I didn't really know until the day before or a couple of days before.

With the company that they got for me, they told me that I had a 48-hour window that they would come pick my car up. It got into that window and I still hadn't been contacted. So, I had to contact and I wasn't really happy about that. I was like, "You should contact me before that window to tell me when in that window you're going to get it." So, within those 48 hours, I was sitting here stressing, trying to figure out when and where and all these other details amongst my move.

The same thing happened on the other end. It got into that window and I was like, "Okay, no one's contacting me," so I had to contact them. AmeriFreight was really good. It was the other company. I kept having to go through all these people and that made it kind of frustrating. I contacted the driver, the driver didn't answer, so I contacted AmeriFreight and AmeriFreight was like, "Let me contact the driver." At that point, there was a different driver. So, it was like going into circles. I was supposed to get the car on Friday, then they gave my car to a local deliverer, and they don't work on the weekends. So, I didn't get it until the following Monday.

I understand there's traffic and things change and there's a lot of other cars. But I just wanted to know and I want to be contacted and communicated with. I don't want to have to reach out to get information on my stuff. If they would have told me firsthand before the time window that, "Okay, we're running a little bit late. The local deliverers don't work on the weekends. And so, you're not going to get your car till Monday," that would have been fine. But because I had to go through the hunt and then find out on my own that I wasn't getting my car until Monday, that was frustrating. I was supposed to take a video of my car. When I got it, I was allowed to inspect it and then sign off. So, in that process, I was fine and my car was fine.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

My husband got an awesome job opportunity in TX and we were given 2 mo to relocate from Seattle, WA. I researched various auto transport companies making sure they utilized carriers that are insured (my vehicle is protected), offered AFta GAP Protection (additional vehicle protection with different options), did not require deposit until they found a carrier that could deliver on the date I needed and at the cost I was willing to pay, read many positive reviews by previous clients, and vetted carriers (my carrier had a 98% approval rating).

Amerifreight checks all the boxes and goes above and beyond when it comes to customer service. My service agent was Danielle R and she was absolutely AMAZING!! A little background, my husband and I have never moved and we were also in the process of selling our home (also a first time experience for both of us). We were under a lot of stress and it felt like everything that could go wrong - went wrong. With the exception of transporting our vehicles! Danielle assured me that she could have our vehicles in TX by 8/4/21. She said she could have a driver available within a 3-5 day timeframe to ensure delivery on 8/4/21. Our two cars were picked up on 7/30/21 and delivered on 8/4/21.

Danielle was always quick to respond via email or phone to my unending questions - looking back, I was likely one of the more annoying clients she had. Sorry Danielle. Her demeanor was very kind and her communication was clear and reassuring. Even after our vehicles were delivered/payment was provided, she made sure to follow up regarding my satisfaction with her service as well as the carrier/transporter/driver. I felt like I was in good hands throughout the entire process!

The positive experience I had with Amerifreight extended to the excellent service I had with the carrier/transporter (driver name Beka with US Forward US DOT 2895043). He was pleasant to work with, performed a thorough inspection of the vehicles, delivered without damage to vehicles, and communicated throughout the transport process. He truly went above and beyond!

Which would be an empty claim without explanation, so here it goes. We were traveling with our cat and dog, most flights/airlines do not allow pets to go in cargo due to the summer heat advisories - safety first. The night before our flight 8/4/21, we were informed that pets were not allowed to fly between 8am-8pm due to extreme heat. Fortunately were were able to change our flight so we would arrive in TX 8/4/21 at 11:59pm, however, no one would be available in TX to receive our vehicles. I explained the situation to Beka that he would beat us to TX and he was very understanding. This delay probably cost him valuable time and money. He kindly delivered the vehicles on 8/5/21 at 7am. If I had to relocate my vehicles again, I would definitely go with AMERIFREIGHT. Without hesitation I’d highly recommend them to friends, family, and anyone needing this service. Truly exceptional service from beginning to the end!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I went into the website and got myself a quote. I was quoted $1,200, then I was called by a guy named Harry and he was a very nice guy. Once I decided to go with AmeriFreight, he let me know he would post a listing on some sort of dispatch thing, and truckers would bid on that, and he explained the whole process to me which was cool. I felt fairly knowledgeable about it.

By the time he was done, he let me know the lowest someone would offer to ship for was likely around 1,600, even though the website quoted me 1,200. He said that technically was the lowest rate. But no one has been able to ship a car in the past several months for lower than 1,600. That was what I expected at that point. The website might be able to do a bit more in terms of explaining that there's a lot of variance in what we might pay. Otherwise, it was a great customer service experience. Harry himself was fantastic. He made me feel very taken care of, very much like he was on my side, and very knowledgeable, which is everything you want a customer service agent to be.

AmeriFreight doesn't actually do any of the shipping themselves. It's all outsourced to individual truckers. So, once a trucking company bid on it, Harry let me know that, "Hey, this trucking company has bid on it. They've got like a 99.8% rating. Do you want to go with them? They've offered to do it for this much." And I was like, "Oh, sure. Okay, let's do it." And they shipped within a two-day time frame. They said, "The trucker will show up to your agreed-upon location."

They weren't able to come to my house because I live in DC and there are specific rules around DC in having car carriers enter the city. So, I had to go out to a friend's house, where they met my friend, and he dropped it off for me, which was good of him. But the trucker texted us and called us before he would show up, about an hour in advance so we were ready to go. And he drove the car on and drove away and they arrived to California in four days, which was a day in advance of what they said.

Original review: June 6, 2021

AmeriFreight's quote came in at a favorable number. The customer service was great. It was the winter. A lot of people weren’t going up North. So, there was a bit of problem to find me someone, but they did find me a carrier. And then the day before the carrier was supposed to come, they called me and said that the carrier, the truck through an axle, and he would not be able to get there. So she put the job out immediately again and had already secured me another vendor who would come that day to pick up the car. And he was in Austin, he was coming my way, had one extra slot on his truck. She was wonderful about immediately going out and remedying the situation, not leaving me hanging with no vendor and no truck.

They were very responsive to me. And they were very helpful. We ran up against a big problem, and it could have been a disaster, but they stepped right up and got somebody new for me. That was very good. And the driver that I got was great because he went and met my son in the parking lot of Walmart to drop the car off. And he was there when he said he would be there. They also said to make sure my E-ZPass was not in the car at the time because they don't want it to trigger. Things you have to know. You just send your car off and you don't realize what's going on once it gets on that truck.

It’s important that when you see the quote, to understand that's probably not what you would pay. Because that's the lower end of what they think is going to happen. It depends on if there are carriers available, and the carrier wants to take your job. So if there's no carrier and they have to entice somebody, then the price would go up. If you've got a lot of movement going to that area, or you've got trucks with room and they want the job, they might be a bit more competitive on the price. You're going to end up paying a bit more. Knowing that, you don't get dazzled by a low price. You keep in mind that you want to check reviews, and you would want to ask anybody you know who might have used somebody. Because those are the things that are important. You want to make sure the car is safe when it goes, that the driver has insurance, that your car is appropriately handled.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I looked at three transport companies online as we had two cars that we needed to ship out. I chose AmeriFreight because they got back to me fastest. The transport was under 3,000 miles, from California to Georgia. It was a good haul. The guy that picked our cars up was really nice. We had to get an Uber from the pick-up spot to go back to our house and the guy let me use his Uber in his phone because I was having trouble with the app on my phone. He was great. My son then picked the cars up on this end in Georgia. He overslept and there was a little issue. He called the driver and begged the guy to stay where he was. My son and a couple of his friends drive out and picked up the two cars. The driver was pretty cool about that.

The cars were picked up on the day they were promised to be picked up and everything was delivered on the time. The cost ended up being a lot more than we thought but it wasn't too much of a surprise. They wanted to take the cars a week earlier than we wanted and it would have been cheaper then. But we ended up having the cars taken during the Christmas week and we were told that's one of the most expensive weeks. Overall, AmeriFreight was great and I would recommend them. We have friends moving out to this area in December and they have two cars so we might use them again.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Our car was shipped with help from Brandy **. She was very communicative about the transport process and explain things very clearly. Our pickup day was a little tough, given the truck did not fit down the street to pick up our car, however the driver was very accommodating and worked around the problem. Drop off went very smoothly. Would recommend the company to a friend.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I got my 1964 jeep truck shipped from California to Missouri. There was a truck available for transport very quick. I had to postpone the delivery and Lecia ** was very helpful in canceling that delivery and scheduling a new transport. The delivery driver was very good at communicating his ETA. The driver couldn't get down my grandma's driveway but was very helpful in getting the truck where it needed to be.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

Danielle, the agent did an excellent job - kept me posted, was clear and honest and communicated well - flexible etc. The driver was solid but the delivery was too pricey that I cannot use it anymore. If it was 700 and the driver took his time (5 days or whatever), then I would be fine but $1200 for 2 days... Too much. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

1. Initial estimate agreed to was 1,000 less than what actual cost was.

2. Car was 5 days late arriving with no updates from the company, "sometimes trucks break down" excuse.

3. Driver asked for a tip before removing vehicle from truck and barely spoke English.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I was very anxious about using a car transport service because I had never done so. Our agent, Harry, described the process and assured me the car would get to where it had to be by the date requested. He could not have been nicer nor more professional. He communicated to me throughout the pickup process. Things went exactly as he had detailed. I was very, very happy.

AmeriFreight Company Information