2. Auto Transporters

4.6/5 (170 ratings)

About AmeriFreight

AmeriFreight addresses the three most important areas of shipping a vehicle: price, quality and safety.

No other company has done more to help consumers save money. In fact, AmeriFreight will negotiate with the top 5% of more than 11,000 carriers for the best possible rate to ship your vehicle, and no carrier with less than a 95% internal quality rating will be considered to ship their customers’ vehicles.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Ships nationwide
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Discounts available

Cons

• Deposit required

Bottom Line

AmeriFreight is a nationwide auto transporter offering a price guarantee, several discounts and an AFta gap insurance plan. Although an initial deposit is required, free quotes and a money-back guarantee sweeten the deal.

Top AmeriFreight Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company?

Verified

The entire transport took six days and the vehicle arrived in good condition … My interactions with the transport organizer were clear and concise. He answered all my questions an...

Verified

Harry, the transport organizer, was very diligent and did a great job. He called us back a bunch of times throughout the process with different quotes and kept us updated. We appr...

About AmeriFreight Auto Transport

AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker that works with a network of reliable carriers to help consumers transport their cars and other vehicles across the lower 48 states, Canada and a few other select locations. AmeriFreight offers a price guarantee, so the price you are quoted is the price you will pay. AmeriFreight also offers several discounts, so be sure to ask if you qualify for any of them. AFta gap insurance covers unexpected damages, so customers can have peace of mind knowing their car is covered. AmeriFreight can ship motorcycles, automobiles, trailers, RVs, boats, classic cars and trucks.

AmeriFreight cost

AmeriFreight notes that costs range from $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Looking at the numbers on Amerifreight’s site, we estimate the average cost of a cross-country auto transport is about $935. Several factors will affect the cost, like the season, vehicle condition, vehicle size, distance traveled and popularity of the route.

You can use AmeriFreight’s rate calculator on their website to get a better idea of how much it will cost to ship your vehicle. AmeriFreight also has a chart listing estimated prices for several popular routes, and the company provides discounts for military, first responders, students and seniors.

AmeriFreight car shipping estimates

PickupDropoffCost
Washington, DCFort Lauderdale$750
AtlantaLos Angeles$850
San FranciscoNew York City$1,050
HoustonSpokane$1,250

AmeriFreight car shipping options

AmeriFreight ships to the contiguous United States, Canada and select international locations. AmeriFreight can also ship trailers, RVs, motorcycles, classic cars, trucks and boats. You can choose to go with enclosed shipping for cars that need additional protection. Door-to-door shipping is AmeriFreight’s most popular option due to its convenience — this means your car will be picked up at its current location and dropped off exactly where you want it.

AFta gap insurance plan works to cover up to $1,000 in damage for major events or up to $400 for minor damage. Lost keys and rental reimbursement required in the case of delayed deliveries are also covered. As long as the issue is reported within 48 hours of delivery, the AFta gap insurance should be able to cover it.

AmeriFreight shipping process

AmeriFreight details the auto transport process on their website. Remember, your car must be cleared of all belongings before shipping.

1. Get a quote from AmeriFreight
  2. Confirm your order online
  3. Make your initial deposit
  4. Prep car and check car condition
  5. Pick up vehicle at pre-determined location
  6. Inspect vehicle for damage

AmeriFreight FAQ

Can AmeriFreight ship motorcycles?
Yes. In addition to cars, AmeriFreight can ship classic cars, motorcycles, trailers, RVs, boats and trucks.
Does AmeriFreight offer insurance?
Yes. The company's insurance covers up to $1,000 in the case of major events or $400 for minor damages.
How much does an AmeriFreight quote cost?
Nothing. AmeriFreight quotes are free.

Do we recommend AmeriFreight?

We like AmeriFreight’s transparent pricing as well as its gap insurance that covers your car in the event of unexpected damages. We also like that the company ships trucks, motorcycles, RVs, trailers and boats in addition to cars. AmeriFreight reviews mention a smooth auto transport process and, since that is what most consumers are looking for when transporting a car, we recommend using AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight?

Original review: June 6, 2021

AmeriFreight's quote came in at a favorable number. The customer service was great. It was the winter. A lot of people weren’t going up North. So, there was a bit of problem to find me someone, but they did find me a carrier. And then the day before the carrier was supposed to come, they called me and said that the carrier, the truck through an axle, and he would not be able to get there. So she put the job out immediately again and had already secured me another vendor who would come that day to pick up the car. And he was in Austin, he was coming my way, had one extra slot on his truck. She was wonderful about immediately going out and remedying the situation, not leaving me hanging with no vendor and no truck.

They were very responsive to me. And they were very helpful. We ran up against a big problem, and it could have been a disaster, but they stepped right up and got somebody new for me. That was very good. And the driver that I got was great because he went and met my son in the parking lot of Walmart to drop the car off. And he was there when he said he would be there. They also said to make sure my E-ZPass was not in the car at the time because they don't want it to trigger. Things you have to know. You just send your car off and you don't realize what's going on once it gets on that truck.

It’s important that when you see the quote, to understand that's probably not what you would pay. Because that's the lower end of what they think is going to happen. It depends on if there are carriers available, and the carrier wants to take your job. So if there's no carrier and they have to entice somebody, then the price would go up. If you've got a lot of movement going to that area, or you've got trucks with room and they want the job, they might be a bit more competitive on the price. You're going to end up paying a bit more. Knowing that, you don't get dazzled by a low price. You keep in mind that you want to check reviews, and you would want to ask anybody you know who might have used somebody. Because those are the things that are important. You want to make sure the car is safe when it goes, that the driver has insurance, that your car is appropriately handled.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I listed at least six companies and AmeriFreight seemed to be the most reliable amongst the others when I was looking at the reviews. They were also very responsive and helpful to all my questions. The lady, who was my customer rep, was very honest and straightforward in terms of what can I expect, and I was 100%, very comfortable. She was helpful helping with the shipment of the cargo. She wasn't hiding any costs and she explained to me the whole process. She mentioned to me at the beginning that if the transportation companies are increasing the price then I may need to wait or the prices may go up. She told me that this is based on the current market price, which can go up or even down. In the end, there was a very minimal difference between the quote I got and the price.

The driver called and said to me when I should expect him to arrive to the delivery location. Once he arrived, he called me again that he's here, and I could go pick up the car. He unloaded the car and asked me to sign the paperwork. The Cadillac Escalade was in a very poor condition, but it wasn't transportation company's fault. Unfortunately, the dealership in Colorado Springs left a huge mess in the car. From transportation company's perspective though, they did a good job. There were no additional scratches or dents on the car. I was pleased with the service. I would definitely recommend AmeriFreight for a friend if they want reliable service.

Original review: April 17, 2021

I was very hooked on the fact that using AmeriFreight was so much cheaper than all of the other places I have looked online. Then when I spoke to AmeriFreight about details, they said, “Well, we hope we can get that price.” At first I was like, “Oh **, is this a scam?” But because we had plenty of time and we were under no pressure to be able to ship our cars, we were able to get that inexpensive price. And it happened within a few days. It was great. There was a big problem with the delivery of the car in that the driver who had transported the car had damaged it extensively. However, AmeriFreight was very responsive, as was the driver. The driver took care of it completely. AmeriFreight was responsive in checking in the entire way. And they had excellent customer service.

They're a coordination service. They don't have their own trucks. So they look for all of these drivers who have little spots available on their rigs. So if you can be patient, you can wait for the right rate to come along that matches the price that you're looking for that they initially quote you. And there was enough respect between the driver and AmeriFreight, that the driver wanted to make sure that they were doing right by me in order to maintain the relationship with AmeriFreight, which also says to me that there's a positive relationship going on between the umbrella organization and the contracted drivers.

Original review: April 11, 2021

The driver and his professionalism were outstanding. The vehicle arrived on time without any problems. My only problem is with AmeriFreight’s marketing model. They initially quoted me a target cost of $750. Two days prior to the day I had to move my vehicle, they said they had a single bid of $1400. With no place to turn, I pretty much had to accept the bid. I checked several other brokers when I was first looking into shipping. In hindsight, their offers were much more realistic to the final price I paid than what AmeriFreight gave me. The agent told me that unlike other brokers, they don’t lock customers into a price at booking so customers are able to turn down a bid if it doesn’t meet their expectations. Had I known that the quoted cost was going to be so different from the actual, I would have gone with a different broker earlier on in the process. I’m still not happy about being put over a barrel so late in the game.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I looked at three transport companies online as we had two cars that we needed to ship out. I chose AmeriFreight because they got back to me fastest. The transport was under 3,000 miles, from California to Georgia. It was a good haul. The guy that picked our cars up was really nice. We had to get an Uber from the pick-up spot to go back to our house and the guy let me use his Uber in his phone because I was having trouble with the app on my phone. He was great. My son then picked the cars up on this end in Georgia. He overslept and there was a little issue. He called the driver and begged the guy to stay where he was. My son and a couple of his friends drive out and picked up the two cars. The driver was pretty cool about that.

The cars were picked up on the day they were promised to be picked up and everything was delivered on the time. The cost ended up being a lot more than we thought but it wasn't too much of a surprise. They wanted to take the cars a week earlier than we wanted and it would have been cheaper then. But we ended up having the cars taken during the Christmas week and we were told that's one of the most expensive weeks. Overall, AmeriFreight was great and I would recommend them. We have friends moving out to this area in December and they have two cars so we might use them again.

Original review: June 15, 2021

Melissa ** of AmeriFreight was excellent from beginning to the end. Rolando and Raul ** of RAAM Cargo did all in a timely manner. Highly recommend both. Good customer service. Very positive experience. Next time l am in need of their services, l will not hesitate to call on them again.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I shipped my car from Santa Barbara to Charlottesville. The price increased by $700 between the initial quote and the final charge. The communication from AmeriFreight was great, but the communication with the company that did the shipping (TA Transportation) was abysmal -- they didn't tell me when they picked my car up and they told me the day before dropping it off that I would have to meet them outside of town because they only just realized they couldn't actually deliver my car to the agreed-upon address. No complaints about Amerifreight, but if I had to transport my car again, I would much rather drive.

Original review: June 15, 2021

AmeriFreight did a great job coordinating transport of our car from OR to OK and the return. I researched many companies prior to the first transport. Everything worked so well, I didn’t hesitate to use them for the return transport. I would definitely use them again if the need arose!

Original review: June 14, 2021

From the time I made the first call, customer service agent was responsive and assisted in making sure the car pickup met our needs. The carrier arrived earlier than planned, but that was okay. We needed to make sure the car was shipped before bringing my daughter back home from college.

Original review: June 14, 2021

My AmeriFreight agent was fabulous - friendly and professional. AmeriFreight contracts haulers (haulers bid on the trip and you can choose) and handles any issues one may have with the haulers in an expedited and professional manner. Your agent is in contact with you regularly and you can text/call your agent any time. Although the expense was almost double of what was quoted, I was really happy with the services AmeriFreight provided.

AmeriFreight Company Information