Call toll free
4.59/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

AmeriFreight addresses the three most important areas of shipping a vehicle: Price, Quality and Safety.

No other company has done more to help consumers save money. In fact, AmeriFreight will negotiate with the top 5% of more than 11,000 carriers for the best possible rate to ship your vehicle, and no carrier with less than a 95% internal quality rating will be considered to ship their customers’ vehicles.

AmeriFreight also realizes no amount of customer service effort can compensate for failure to treat our carriers with respect; therefore, the team strives to offer the best employment opportunities and work environment.

As safety is central to every customer’s thought when shipping a vehicle, AmeriFreight offers the best possible protection through the industry standard AFta PLAN. This means your vehicle coverage goes above and beyond the limited plan provided by carriers.

Before you decide to ship, call AmeriFreight today. The AmeriFreight team would love to be your auto transport partner.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

AmeriFreight is a nationwide auto transporter offering a price guarantee, several discounts and an AFta gap insurance plan. Although an initial deposit is required, free quotes and a money-back guarantee sweetens the deal.

PROS

• Money-back guarantee
  • Ships nationwide
  • Free quotes
  • Discounts available

CONS

• Deposit required

Top AmeriFreight Reviews

The entire transport took six days and the vehicle arrived in good condition … My interactions with the transport organizer were clear and concise. He answered all my questions and was available whenever I needed to ask questions or call about something.

Harry, the transport organizer, was very diligent and did a great job. He called us back a bunch of times throughout the process with different quotes and kept us updated. We appreciated that. My wife said that both persons who picked up and dropped the car were very sweet and on time.

About AmeriFreight Auto Transport

AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker that works with a network of reliable carriers to help consumers transport their cars and other vehicles across the lower 48 states, Canada and a few other select locations. AmeriFreight offers a price guarantee so the price you are quoted is the price you will pay. AmeriFreight also offers several discounts, so be sure to ask if you qualify for any of them. AFta gap insurance covers unexpected damages, so customers can have peace of mind knowing their car is covered.

AmeriFreight cost

AmeriFreight notes that costs range from $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Looking at the numbers on Amerifreight’s site, we estimate the average cost of a cross-country auto transport is about $935. Several factors will affect the cost, like the season, vehicle condition, vehicle size, distance traveled and popularity of the route.

You can use AmeriFreight’s rate calculator on their website to get a better idea of how much it will cost to ship your vehicle. AmeriFreight also has a chart listing estimated prices for several popular routes, and they provide discounts for military, first responders, students and seniors.

AmeriFreight car shipping estimates

PickupDropoffCost
Washington, DCFort Lauderdale$750
AtlantaLos Angeles$850
San FranciscoNew York City$1050
HoustonSpokane$1250

AmeriFreight car shipping options

AmeriFreight ships to the contiguous United States, Canada and select international locations. AmeriFreight can also ship trailers, RVs, motorcycles and boats. You can choose to go with enclosed shipping for cars that need additional protection. Door-to-door shipping is AmeriFreight’s most popular option due to its convenience — this means your car will be picked up at its current location and dropped off exactly where you want it.

AFta gap insurance plan works to cover up to $1000 in damage for major events or up to $400 for minor damage. Lost keys and rental reimbursement required in the case of delayed deliveries are also covered. As long as the issue is reported within 48 hours of delivery, the AFta gap insurance should be able to cover it.

AmeriFreight shipping process

AmeriFreight details the auto transport process on their website. Remember, your car must be cleared of all belongings before shipping.

1. Get a quote from AmeriFreight
  2. Confirm your order online
  3. Make your initial deposit
  4. Prep car and check car condition
  5. Pick up vehicle at pre-determined location
  6. Inspect vehicle for damage

Do we recommend AmeriFreight?

We like AmeriFreight’s transparent pricing as well as their gap insurance that covers your car in the event of unexpected damages. AmeriFreight reviews mention a smooth auto transport process and, since that is what most consumers are looking for when transporting a car, we recommend using AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: June 5, 2019

AmeriFreight had reasonable pricing. But we used the free quote option online and then when we called, it actually went up. For a minute, we were confused from the quote they set online to the actual amount it was. It was a little disappointing but at that point, I had to do it because we were getting ready to leave. I was moving from one state to another. I shipped my vehicle from Florida to Arizona and everything went good with the transport organizer. But we had a little snafu where we had an original trucker who was supposed to come pick up my truck but he never called.

As soon as we got the actual driver, we reached out and wanted to talk to him and make sure that everything was good to go. But conversations went south because he never returned our call. We just figured out what was going on and we called AmeriFreight back to figure out which way we were gonna go. But it was getting to the point where they were trying to ask if we could leave our car with our neighbor. I didn't know my neighbor. Why would I wanna do that? I’m sure that AmeriFreight was just trying to work options out but none of the options was working for me or my wife.

I guess AmeriFreight was trying to call the driver too, and they did everything they could but it was getting down to hours and we were actually getting ready to depart. Then AmeriFreight came back and said the driver's truck broke. But the great thing would’ve been if the driver had called us back and let us know what was going on so we could definitely know what the hell was happening. At the time, it was just frustration between my wife, myself and with AmeriFreight.

At the end of the day, it worked out. AmeriFreight was pulling tricks out of their hat so we were able to get somebody who could take our truck from Florida to Arizona. But up to the minute of, it was really stressful on us because we were trying to figure this thing out. Other than that, the move went great. They picked the truck up on a Tuesday and I got it on Friday. We were already driving cross-country so we were already here in Arizona when the truck showed up. It was three days from the time I gave them the truck and when it arrived, everything was good to go with the vehicle.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I work for a company and we needed to get one of our company pickup trucks from a project in North Carolina out to Spokane, Washington. We didn’t have any employees available to make that drive for us, so we decided to use a shipping company. I checked the reviews online and AmeriFreight had some of the better reviews, so that’s why we chose them. Some of the other places were giving me quotes but not telling me how it worked. AmeriFreight started with a lower quote, but it was honest about how the process worked, how that quote may not entice a potential vendor and that the price might go up. The price went up, but it was expected. Instead of being upset about it, it was something I knew could potentially happen and would most likely happen, and so I appreciated it.

I got several calls and emails from the lady at AmeriFreight and the reps were pretty good. They called in and checked to see how things were going at certain points. The process took a little bit longer than anticipated though. The vehicle was originally supposed to be picked up two days before it got picked up, and it was supposed to be delivered two days before it ended up being delivered. From the point I contacted AmeriFreight to the point that it got delivered, it was a little over two weeks.

The process wasn’t flawless, but it wasn’t AmeriFreight’s fault, it was the vendor's. When they were scheduled to show up and they didn’t show up, I ended up having to call them to find out what was going on. They told me that their driver got hang-up in Cheyenne, Wyoming and told me the new date. The same thing happened going back. I was trying to get ahold of them. I left voicemails, but they never called me back. In the end, the driver was like, “Well, next time, ask for my number directly.” instead of working with the people who route them where to go. But that guy never called me back. So, unfortunately, the communication there was pretty poor. But the vehicle l got delivered all right.

AmeriFreight could tell the customers that when they’re dealing with the vendor, to make sure that they get the phone number for the driver specifically and not just the people routing them. If they have any concerns about where they are, they can talk to that person directly rather than trying to talk to a second party to get ahold of them. But overall, AmeriFreight did a good job. They kept up their end of the bargain.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I purchased a car in California and I needed it shipped to where I live in West Virginia. AmeriFreight seemed to have the best price. The layout of their website seemed the most user-friendly and they just seemed to be the best bet when I was looking at stuff. I was given an online quote on the spot versus having to call somebody and that was another selling feature.

The quote changed in the end but it didn't go up much. The initial quote was in the 900s, which was why I initially called them, and then the end up quote went up a couple of hundred bucks. But that was probably because it was specific for the actual people doing the driving. The guy I dealt with, Richard, was awesome. He was very knowledgeable and he explained everything to me. He said it would've been cheaper if I would've waited a couple of weeks, but I was trying to get the car then. We had some communication issues with the shipping company and the way they were doing the order, shipping and communication stuff seemed very loose.

There seemed to be a mix-up on the shipping end itself. I was supposed to pick the car up at a side of the road dealer and I was making sure it got done correctly. I bought the car blind so I told my salesman that I needed to make sure that the car gets loaded correctly. They had to ship my car from outside San Francisco up to L.A, then the car got loaded somewhere else from there and it was taken across the country. That leg of the trip was the questionable part. It seemed confusing and frustrating at the time, but Richard was on his game. I called him then he asked me to give him a few minutes. He called me back and said he talked to someone who would talk to the driver. He also gave me an update.

Once the car got put on the other transport vehicle, the gentleman that delivered it to my guy here in Maryland said that it was great and everything was professional and smooth. When the car actually got shipped, it still made it there in the time that they said it was gonna be there. I wish that the way the truck drivers bid on the price was done more accurately. Overall, I was happy and I would ship again with AmeriFreight, but I definitely wouldn't ship whatever company that delivered my car. On the other hand, Richard was always pleasant. He was professional, respectful and still very understanding even when I vented out to him.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I'm the general sales manager at a car dealership. I sold a couple of vehicles to a couple of customers. I get the vehicles to them across the country. I got online, looked for a company with solid track record, and started using AmeriFreight. They got everything done in a timely manner, and got the ball rolling. It's just the actual drivers that they subcontracted to, that's to be desired. But I've used them three or four times in the last 90 days, and the first time, it was a problem with damage to the vehicle. Second time was perfect. Third time, I had a issue with the actual delivery of the vehicle. But none of it was AmeriFreight's fault.

They just need to make sure that the drivers that they get actually deliver what they said they're gonna deliver on time, and are reputable drivers. I have a lot of communication between the receiving party and the driver itself. That way, it kinda takes us, meaning the dealer and AmeriFreight, kinda out of it because we're just the facilitators of it. But the last one, was kind of a unique situation. We were sending it to Washington state because the customer that we sold the vehicle to was stationed in Washington, in the Air Force, and we couldn't actually take it on base. So we thought we could send it to a Toyota dealership in Washington state.

Come to find out, the dealer in Washington state wouldn't accept it, so the driver rode around for three days with this vehicle. In that case, it wasn't even the driver's fault. It was just if we had known that three days earlier, we could have communicated with the customer. The customer could have gotten in touch with the driver, and they could have worked out some way to get him his car, and that's what it was

But me and AmeriFreight finally got in touch with the driver three days later, and that's when we found out that information. But anytime I had a issue at AmeriFreight, and I picked up the phone, I called Samantha, which was my contact at AmeriFreight. She was Johnny-on-the-spot. She handled any issue I had, so I don't have a problem with AmeriFreight at all. In any transaction that you have like that, when you send something across country like that, you're gonna have issues. It's just one of those things you gotta work the kinks out. But other than that, everything else was perfect.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I was moving a vehicle from East Coast to West Coast where I’m currently living and since I had used AmeriFreight four-ish years ago for a similar route with a different vehicle, I went straight to them. With the first time, I went through a few different options on the website and it still worked but this time, their website has improved a lot. It was a lot easier to navigate as far as trying to check and make sure that they’re still decent. The service provider I got was also very prompt. They were prompt last time as well but this time, he called me back within 24 hours with a carrier option. He was also able to advise me based off of the patterns for the season as far as if there was a good likelihood where we would get additional options and what the price range would be within those options.

The quote was higher than I was expecting. Last time, it cost me about $1,000 to get the car cross-country and that was during the winter season. But given that it has been four years and gas is expensive, I wasn’t too terribly put out with the increase. The rep was also fairly upfront with what the end dollars would be and there weren't any additional fees that I had to worry about. AmeriFreight also still offers additional insurance for anything that the carrier operator's insurance would not cover if the vehicle were to be damaged by storms in transit or on its way to us off the rig.

When the rep contacted me after I had signed the contract, I thought that it would be pretty instant to the carrier. But when I called the carrier to confirm some details, they had only just gotten the information. So I was a little ahead on that one. But for the pickup, I was told that getting a pickup vehicle down was hard so the location ended up being a parking lot. But it was the same location as last time and it was easy to follow. I had a family member on the East Coast handling the pick-up and he didn’t have any issues. The route was approximately the same and there was an establishment of communication. I was given the carrier’s information if I needed to follow up with them. But I wasn't stressed out about it at all and it was pretty hands-off this time.

For the drop-off over here, I got a call a couple of hours in advance. The carrier had also given me a call before that, giving me the range so we could expect the drop-off. Last time, they ended up delivering three days in advance of what they had quoted me and I had to scramble a little bit. But this time, it was right on the nose from the estimate. So that was reassuring. You can expect to wash your car at the end unless you're getting covered transport. But the experience was on par with my expectations and I would certainly use AmeriFreight again or recommend them to others if they had to do a similar coast-to-coast route. Harry, the agent I worked with, was very helpful, upfront and prompt. So I’d recommend him in particular.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

AmeriFreight set me up with a carrier. Long story short, Carrier damaged multiple aspects to my vehicle internally and won't take responsibility. Bottom line is I will be suing them. As for Amerifreight, knowing this occurred and that this carrier has a history of this behavior, Amerifreight continues to use them showing that they could care less about customers.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

In September 2019, several sales representatives worked behind the scenes to manipulate a higher rate from us so that they can get a better commission. The manager Jorge reluctantly got involved after numerous calls and emails, because we did not get any service and communications from any of the sales rep on shipping after they took our money. I had to be in direct communication with the shipper and we both wanted to negotiate a reduced rate for an earlier departure but we couldn't do anything because AmeriFreight did not response to either of us to finalize my insurance packet or modify the total cost. It was also confusing because I couldn't tell if I was booked with two shippers because two shipping companies called me about AmeriFreight, and we never engaged any other shipping bookers.

Lecia ** started a contract but was not working every time I called and asked for her and she did not return calls. Sam was her sub when she was on leave, and she used high pressure tactics such as cancelling our contract interest with less than 24 hrs notice when we did not respond to a shipping offer on Labor Day, a holiday. Her offer price was high and we had to think about it. So when we learned she cancelled us, we signed up again to request shipping with them. That was a mistake. We should have trusted our instincts when we experienced high pressure and unethical business tactics.

Kathryn ** was the next sale rep who took our new contract interest. She gave us a better rate and we immediately accepted. I called to make payment but there was confusion with another sales rep because Kathryn could not be reached. The next day Sam/Lecia called to asked if we still wanted to ship. I said yes but am working with Kathryn since they cancelled my initial contract. She told me that she was going to talk to Kathryn and quickly got me off the phone. Kathryn told us that we can only ship at the higher initial rate and not the lower that she found for us. We weren't in a hurry for the vehicle and there was no reason for the high rate and pressure.

Despite the frustration, we finalized the shipping with them just to be done and to get our vehicle booked. This was the worst vehicle shipping experience. I would never use AmeriFreight again or recommend them to anyone. After they took our money, we couldn't get service. We were sent directly to voicemail and didn't get any call backs from Kathryn, Lecia, or Sam. Manager Jorge didn't respond to initial emails; he only responded when there was a sale rep with enough compassion to go to him on our behalf because our shipping date was upon us and we said that we couldn't tell if AmeriFreight double booked us because we didn't know what the competing sales reps booked.

Certainly not everyone at AmeriFreight has self-serving business practices because I was able to find two people who explained what should have happened and was empathetic. However, there is no compensation to the customer for their poor coordination and practices. I never heard if the manager spoke with the sales rep to correct these inappropriate practices. There are numerous emails and phone calls that documents and verifies these events.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

AmeriFreight handled shipping our car from central Florida to Saratoga Springs, NY back in May of this year. We had never done this and knew nothing of the process. Erica ** was our agent. She was so patient, friendly and professional. So when it came time to reverse the process we called her again. She found us a transporter in the time frame we needed and worked to get us the best price possible. She called us to keep us informed and checked after the car delivery to make sure all went well. The peace of mind dealing with AmeriFreight through Erica was priceless.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I recently moved from California to Washington and needed my car to be shipped within a very limited window of time. Harry ** from AmeriFreight provided a quote immediately following my inquiry. He also consistently called me with specific details for the car shipping process as we went along and was excellent in answering any questions. He assured me that it’s typical to get an available driver on the first date of pick up (especially going up the 5 North from California to Washington), which is exactly what happened! He was accommodating of all my needs, e.g. budget, having another person at pickup, and specific dates/times for pickup and delivery. Thank you so much for getting my car to Seattle so quickly and within my budget of under $1000!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I was super stressed about finding a good company to transport my brand new SUV cross-country from California to Ohio. But our AmeriFreight rep, Samantha **, made it completely worry free. From getting me a quote in a timely manner to answering my 1000 questions, she was always available to me. And our car arrived even faster than expected and in excellent condition. Samantha made this process the easiest part of our move. I definitely recommend using them for your transport needs.

AmeriFreight Company Information