4.4/5 (414 ratings)

About AmeriFreight

AmeriFreight addresses the three most important areas of shipping a vehicle: price, quality and safety.

No other company has done more to help consumers save money. In fact, AmeriFreight will negotiate with the top 5% of more than 11,000 carriers for the best possible rate to ship your vehicle, and no carrier with less than a 95% internal quality rating will be considered to ship their customers’ vehicles.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Ships nationwide
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Discounts available

Cons

• Deposit required

Bottom Line

AmeriFreight is a nationwide auto transporter offering a price guarantee, several discounts and an AFta gap insurance plan. Although an initial deposit is required, free quotes and a money-back guarantee sweeten the deal.

Top AmeriFreight Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company?

Verified

The entire transport took six days and the vehicle arrived in good condition … My interactions with the transport organizer were clear and concise. He answered all my questions an...

Verified

Harry, the transport organizer, was very diligent and did a great job. He called us back a bunch of times throughout the process with different quotes and kept us updated. We appr...

About AmeriFreight Auto Transport

AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker that works with a network of reliable carriers to help consumers transport their cars and other vehicles across the lower 48 states, Canada and a few other select locations. AmeriFreight offers a price guarantee, so the price you are quoted is the price you will pay. AmeriFreight also offers several discounts, so be sure to ask if you qualify for any of them. AFta gap insurance covers unexpected damages, so customers can have peace of mind knowing their car is covered. AmeriFreight can ship motorcycles, automobiles, trailers, RVs, boats, classic cars and trucks.

AmeriFreight cost

AmeriFreight notes that costs range from $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Looking at the numbers on Amerifreight’s site, we estimate the average cost of a cross-country auto transport is about $935. Several factors will affect the cost, like the season, vehicle condition, vehicle size, distance traveled and popularity of the route.

You can use AmeriFreight’s rate calculator on their website to get a better idea of how much it will cost to ship your vehicle. AmeriFreight also has a chart listing estimated prices for several popular routes, and the company provides discounts for military, first responders, students and seniors.

AmeriFreight car shipping estimates

PickupDropoffCost
Washington, DCFort Lauderdale$750
AtlantaLos Angeles$850
San FranciscoNew York City$1,050
HoustonSpokane$1,250

AmeriFreight car shipping options

AmeriFreight ships to the contiguous United States, Canada and select international locations. AmeriFreight can also ship trailers, RVs, motorcycles, classic cars, trucks and boats. You can choose to go with enclosed shipping for cars that need additional protection. Door-to-door shipping is AmeriFreight’s most popular option due to its convenience — this means your car will be picked up at its current location and dropped off exactly where you want it.

AFta gap insurance plan works to cover up to $1,000 in damage for major events or up to $400 for minor damage. Lost keys and rental reimbursement required in the case of delayed deliveries are also covered. As long as the issue is reported within 48 hours of delivery, the AFta gap insurance should be able to cover it.

AmeriFreight shipping process

AmeriFreight details the auto transport process on their website. Remember, your car must be cleared of all belongings before shipping.

1. Get a quote from AmeriFreight
  2. Confirm your order online
  3. Make your initial deposit
  4. Prep car and check car condition
  5. Pick up vehicle at pre-determined location
  6. Inspect vehicle for damage

AmeriFreight FAQ

Can AmeriFreight ship motorcycles?

Yes. In addition to cars, AmeriFreight can ship classic cars, motorcycles, trailers, RVs, boats and trucks.

Does AmeriFreight offer insurance?

Yes. The company's insurance covers up to $1,000 in the case of major events or $400 for minor damages.

How much does an AmeriFreight quote cost?

Nothing. AmeriFreight quotes are free.

Do we recommend AmeriFreight?

We like AmeriFreight’s transparent pricing as well as its gap insurance that covers your car in the event of unexpected damages. We also like that the company ships trucks, motorcycles, RVs, trailers and boats in addition to cars. AmeriFreight reviews mention a smooth auto transport process and, since that is what most consumers are looking for when transporting a car, we recommend using AmeriFreight.

AmeriFreight Reviews

Original review: Dec. 18, 2022

The first person I spoke with at AmeriFreight was Melissa and she broke it down very honestly and explained it really well. She let me know that she can't guarantee that the first price is going to be the price that is going to get my car shipped across. She explained to me that it's going to be up to the actual carrier that is available. She let me know right away that I could always deny and wait if I wanted to and that I have all the control. I really liked that she was open and honest.

We used AmeriFreight one time and I chose them two times after that. They do a returning customer deal and they also do a military deal. I worked with Melissa the first two times and the third time, I had a different representative. He was very open, too. He said he wouldn't give me the military discount because it's not as good as the returning customer. I liked that. They're very honest and that's why I continue to go back to AmeriFreight. I wish there was a little bit more communication between the representatives and the carriers on our behalf. It sometimes feels like we get a little lost because everything just starts coming directly to the consumer, instead of having a little bit more of a transition.

The first two times, I ended up having the same carrier offer to pick up my car. They were pretty good. They communicated and they had a smaller trailer, so they were able to pick the vehicle up in front of my house in Connecticut. But it was difficult for them to drop it off where we moved to in California so they set up a drop-off spot. It was in advance. I knew it was going to be this day between these hours and they stuck to that.

The third time, it was a different carrier and it was not as smooth. They said they were going to be a few days late and then in the middle of transport, they said their truck broke down so it was gonna be a few extra days. He said the drop-off point was gonna be fine and they would deliver out front. But then, I got a call and he said he tried to deliver my car but he couldn't deliver it to the address. He said I'm gonna have to meet him. At the time, I was with a nine-month-old and it was very frustrating. I had to take a Uber to meet him. Thankfully, they were close by but I would have preferred a little bit of an advanced warning.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

AmeriFreight's initial bid online came in lower than a lot. Then when I spoke to them, I was expecting it to be a lot higher and it came in pretty much only a couple of hundred dollars more than they had originally said. It was pretty straightforward. Their rep said, “Hey, this is what is the process and we're going to put the bid out there and then we'll let you know when we have a response.” I got one the next day.

They were supposed to pick the car up, originally, on a Saturday, but it ended up being a Sunday. I had to call and say, “Hey, do you have an idea of when it's going to be delivered?” They weren't exactly sure yet. Then I got a call the day before saying that the drop off would be between 1:00 and 5:00. I just responded to a text, saying, “Can you let me know so I can arrange a time to go get it?” They texted me like an hour before and let me know that they were probably 30 minutes away. I was able to go meet them.

They pulled over in front of my house area. I live in an apartment, so it had to be up a hill. So, they were just on the main road. They pulled over, and I met the guy. He didn't speak a ton of English, but my fiancé speaks Spanish, so that made it kind of easy. I just paid him in cash and he gave me the keys. I inspected the car and I was on my way. I would highly recommend others to use AmeriFreight because it worked well for me. I always have been cautious to refer things, but I had a really good experience. So, I wouldn't have a problem saying to give AmeriFreight a call.

Original review: June 29, 2022

We chose AmeriFreight because they had a very thorough description of their process on their website and explained a lot of details on how the process works and what their commitment to the customer was, and that was all good. Everything was very organized on the front end and there were no issues with the pickup. The driver was on a carrier and I didn't realize the car was gonna get there that fast. It was a little bit of a surprise. It would've been nice to have an update 24 hours out because I got a call as the car was being delivered to my sister-in-law's house. It didn’t give me any opportunity to give them a heads up that it was coming and then adjust their work schedule. So, that wasn't ideal.

The day prior, the carrier should give a courtesy heads up that vehicles can be delivered the next day. Then, the tricky part was that the carrier didn't speak pretty much English. So, that made that a little bit awkward trying to get that communication. It ended up working out okay and he had a friend that got it translated for him. But it was a little more challenging than it probably should have been.

The particular carrier took the electronic method payment from the checking account, which was great and very helpful, because I didn't have to coordinate a cashier's check with my sister-in-law. But there's a daily cap that she can transfer and I didn't know that until I was trying to pay for the service. I ended up having to break the payment up in two days because of that daily cap. So, it was not anything to do with the carrier but something probably that the company, AmeriFreight, and/or the carrier should be aware of so that's not a surprise to the customer when they're trying to pay for the service. Overall, they did a nice job. The process and transparency were very strong.

Original review: May 15, 2022

Customer service from AmeriFreight's end was very good. Since it was my first time transporting a vehicle and I wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to do most of the time, I had questions throughout the process and whenever I called, I always got a response pretty quickly. I always had somebody who knew what was going on and gave me good information too.

The pickup went perfectly fine. The company picked up on the day that they said they would and gave me a good heads up and good location to drop my vehicle off at. With the delivery though, that turned into a different issue. My vehicle was scheduled to be delivered May 5th. From two to three days after they picked up the vehicle, I kept getting calls, back-to-back, about them trying to deliver the vehicle that same day. I got calls on April 30th, May 1st, and May 3rd and they asked, “Hey, can you come pick up your vehicle?” Even though the one I paid for, it was supposed to be dropped off on the 5th.

On May 5th, the actual delivery day, they almost did not deliver the car. It took me arguing back and forth with the company because there was a delay with another delivery they had. I was trying to convince them, “Hey, you need to bring it. This is what we arranged.” The car that they were delivering to me would have been the only car that my family had for a few days.

Originally, they were supposed to come at 2 o'clock in the afternoon then a guy called me and said, “Hey, it’s gonna be a little bit later,” till 5 o’clock in the afternoon. It gets to about 7 o'clock, and they still haven't called me back. I called them and they said, “Hey, give us a little bit of time.” 8 o’clock at night, I called them again and they said, “Well, this is gonna take a long time. Can you just get it delivered the next day?” That would not have been possible. I had a rental RV that I drove across the country with, and I needed to return it because I was getting charged a grand for keeping it an extra day. They ended up bringing the car, but it was almost 12 o’clock in the morning.

The delivery driver who dropped off my vehicle made quick work of it and it was an overall pleasant, productive interaction with him. He didn’t seem annoyed that he had to come and drop it off at 12 am. Overall, pickup and delivery were both very professional. Working with AmeriFreight, they always kept me informed and they worked with me pretty well. The initial offer I was given to transport the vehicle, I said, “Hey, those dates don't work,” and I was able to get a secondary offer pretty quickly.

Original review: May 12, 2022

I reached out to AmeriFreight and then found out that they were an aggregator and I got a better understanding of how this whole process worked. I liked that the initial communication was very clear and then I understood what we were looking at. If other aggregators are competing against myself, AmeriFreight at least took the time to be thorough. Also, they had really good reviews online and with the BBB. So once I started working with them, I didn't feel the need to look for anybody else. We had a good experience.

The final cost was about $300 more than the initial quote. It was a substantial amount. But this car had been at the dealership for so long and it was in Rolla, Missouri. It was not in the easiest place to get to. So I figured the final cost was gonna be more. The driver was really good and gave me options. He picked up the car on a Tuesday and delivered it on a Wednesday, from Missouri to Virginia.

Once the driver got close, he texted and let me know he could either drop off the car at 10:00 at night or first thing in the morning. I told him, “What's gonna be easiest for you? ‘Cause we're all awake, and we're ready to do this.” He said it would be easier to do it that night. It worked out well. He also told us that he would let us know if he was running a little late. We had a delightful conversation with him. The car came very well packed. The battery of the car was dead during transport and he jump-started it. We drove it all around. He made sure we were all okay. Our street was really narrow and he was flexible in how to figure out how to get the car off in the safest way possible.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2023

My rep was Reginald and he was good. But we had a little issue with the pickup. The carrier said they were gonna be there Friday, then they said Saturday, then it turned into Sunday. They finally got the vehicle picked up fairly late Sunday evening but Reginald stayed on the carrier to get it done. Once the driver picked the vehicle up, I didn't hear anything from him until he was 30 minutes from dropping it off.

The person I had at the other end of Virginia was communicating with the driver. He ended up dropping the vehicle off at 3:00 in the morning. But it wasn't that big a deal and I had GPS in the car so I could keep track of where it was along the trip. Other than that, the delivery went really smoothly. There's a mall in town that only has four stores left in it. I gave him the address and we met there. By the time we got there, he had the vehicle off the truck and was ready to get back on the road.

Overall working with them was good. There are always gonna be issues when you're trying to do logistics across the country. But everything that came up, Reginald dealt with pretty quickly. He made himself available. If I needed anything and I couldn't get a hold of him, just send him a text and he got back to me pretty quickly.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2023

I liked the cost for AmeriFreight's service. Their person was in communication the whole time. But I will never use the service again, not because they did anything wrong, but it's nerve-wracking for me to be three days away from moving and not knowing whether the car is gonna be shipped or not. I hired AmeriFreight when I could have done it with somebody local, a month ahead of time. I could have had the car picked up without being with a move pending leaving the state and not knowing whether the car was gonna be picked up or not.

Another thing was after we agreed and had everything set, they said I didn't respond fast enough within how many minutes so the transport was lost. The quote changed because they didn't have a driver. They said nobody wanted to pick up the car. They told me, "It's gonna be before Thanksgiving. Somebody will call you." But nobody did. The Monday after Thanksgiving, still nobody called. In the end, the car arrived and it's working good. But it was was nerve-wracking and very stressful. I would never recommend anybody do this if they're going to a different state.

AmeriFreight response

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to talk to you either by phone at (678) 821-2653 or email at r.jernigan@amerifreight.net so that we may assist you with this matter.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I'm not crazy about the whole process, but I would recommend AmeriFreight, if not, Brandon at AmeriFreight. Ideally, you want a private transport, but that costs a lot more money. So you put it out to bid and you get what you get, and at some point, it's out of AmeriFreight's hand. I got lucky. It's a roll of the dice who you're gonna get to pick up your car.

I chose AmeriFreight because Brandon was the most transparent about the process than any of the other companies I spoke with. Pickup was in Michigan, drop-off was in Maine. It was a couple of weeks to get an acceptable bid, and it was two days complete after that. I was notified when it was picked up, and the next day, I got a phone call from the driver saying he was at the delivery point. I arranged to have him meet me at a supermarket parking lot close to my house, because he couldn't get his truck in. He called me and said he was there. I went and picked up my car.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I did a transport from Los Angeles to Delaware and it was all great. Everyone was very responsive. From the start, everyone was reached out immediately. The driver called me a couple of days before the pickup and he also called me on the day of the pickup. He then called me a couple of hours before dropping off my vehicle and called as he was coming. AmeriFreight provided a great service. It was cheaper than the other alternatives but also very high quality. I would definitely use it again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I really liked the first girl that I worked with twice. This latest time that I worked with AmeriFreight, I liked them still because someone got back to me. I tried to get ahold of a certain person because I was referred to them by the last person who I had really good rapport with and was no longer there, and I felt like I could never get ahold of them. Someone did call me back and was very helpful. I just wish the original girl was still working there because I loved her.

AmeriFreight Company Information