4.3/5 (443 ratings)

About AmeriFreight

AmeriFreight addresses the three most important areas of shipping a vehicle: price, quality and safety.

No other company has done more to help consumers save money. In fact, AmeriFreight will negotiate with the top 5% of more than 11,000 carriers for the best possible rate to ship your vehicle, and no carrier with less than a 95% internal quality rating will be considered to ship their customers’ vehicles.

Pros

• Money-back guarantee
  • Ships nationwide
  • Ships more than just cars
  • Discounts available

Cons

• Deposit required

Bottom Line

AmeriFreight is a nationwide auto transporter offering a price guarantee, several discounts and an AFta gap insurance plan. Although an initial deposit is required, free quotes and a money-back guarantee sweeten the deal.

Top AmeriFreight Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight Auto Transport Company?

Verified

The entire transport took six days and the vehicle arrived in good condition … My interactions with the transport organizer were clear and concise. He answered all my questions an...

Verified

Harry, the transport organizer, was very diligent and did a great job. He called us back a bunch of times throughout the process with different quotes and kept us updated. We appr...

About AmeriFreight Auto Transport

AmeriFreight is an auto transport broker that works with a network of reliable carriers to help consumers transport their cars and other vehicles across the lower 48 states, Canada and a few other select locations. AmeriFreight offers a price guarantee, so the price you are quoted is the price you will pay. AmeriFreight also offers several discounts, so be sure to ask if you qualify for any of them. AFta gap insurance covers unexpected damages, so customers can have peace of mind knowing their car is covered. AmeriFreight can ship motorcycles, automobiles, trailers, RVs, boats, classic cars and trucks.

AmeriFreight cost

AmeriFreight notes that costs range from $495 to $1,300 to ship a sedan on open transport. Looking at the numbers on Amerifreight’s site, we estimate the average cost of a cross-country auto transport is about $935. Several factors will affect the cost, like the season, vehicle condition, vehicle size, distance traveled and popularity of the route.

You can use AmeriFreight’s rate calculator on their website to get a better idea of how much it will cost to ship your vehicle. AmeriFreight also has a chart listing estimated prices for several popular routes, and the company provides discounts for military, first responders, students and seniors.

AmeriFreight car shipping estimates

PickupDropoffCost
Washington, DCFort Lauderdale$750
AtlantaLos Angeles$850
San FranciscoNew York City$1,050
HoustonSpokane$1,250

AmeriFreight car shipping options

AmeriFreight ships to the contiguous United States, Canada and select international locations. AmeriFreight can also ship trailers, RVs, motorcycles, classic cars, trucks and boats. You can choose to go with enclosed shipping for cars that need additional protection. Door-to-door shipping is AmeriFreight’s most popular option due to its convenience — this means your car will be picked up at its current location and dropped off exactly where you want it.

AFta gap insurance plan works to cover up to $1,000 in damage for major events or up to $400 for minor damage. Lost keys and rental reimbursement required in the case of delayed deliveries are also covered. As long as the issue is reported within 48 hours of delivery, the AFta gap insurance should be able to cover it.

AmeriFreight shipping process

AmeriFreight details the auto transport process on their website. Remember, your car must be cleared of all belongings before shipping.

1. Get a quote from AmeriFreight
  2. Confirm your order online
  3. Make your initial deposit
  4. Prep car and check car condition
  5. Pick up vehicle at pre-determined location
  6. Inspect vehicle for damage

AmeriFreight FAQ

Can AmeriFreight ship motorcycles?
Yes. In addition to cars, AmeriFreight can ship classic cars, motorcycles, trailers, RVs, boats and trucks.
Does AmeriFreight offer insurance?
Yes. The company's insurance covers up to $1,000 in the case of major events or $400 for minor damages.
How much does an AmeriFreight quote cost?
Nothing. AmeriFreight quotes are free.

Do we recommend AmeriFreight?

We like AmeriFreight’s transparent pricing as well as its gap insurance that covers your car in the event of unexpected damages. We also like that the company ships trucks, motorcycles, RVs, trailers and boats in addition to cars. AmeriFreight reviews mention a smooth auto transport process and, since that is what most consumers are looking for when transporting a car, we recommend using AmeriFreight.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AmeriFreight?

Original review: May 15, 2022

Customer service from AmeriFreight's end was very good. Since it was my first time transporting a vehicle and I wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to do most of the time, I had questions throughout the process and whenever I called, I always got a response pretty quickly. I always had somebody who knew what was going on and gave me good information too.

The pickup went perfectly fine. The company picked up on the day that they said they would and gave me a good heads up and good location to drop my vehicle off at. With the delivery though, that turned into a different issue. My vehicle was scheduled to be delivered May 5th. From two to three days after they picked up the vehicle, I kept getting calls, back-to-back, about them trying to deliver the vehicle that same day. I got calls on April 30th, May 1st, and May 3rd and they asked, “Hey, can you come pick up your vehicle?” Even though the one I paid for, it was supposed to be dropped off on the 5th.

On May 5th, the actual delivery day, they almost did not deliver the car. It took me arguing back and forth with the company because there was a delay with another delivery they had. I was trying to convince them, “Hey, you need to bring it. This is what we arranged.” The car that they were delivering to me would have been the only car that my family had for a few days.

Originally, they were supposed to come at 2 o'clock in the afternoon then a guy called me and said, “Hey, it’s gonna be a little bit later,” till 5 o’clock in the afternoon. It gets to about 7 o'clock, and they still haven't called me back. I called them and they said, “Hey, give us a little bit of time.” 8 o’clock at night, I called them again and they said, “Well, this is gonna take a long time. Can you just get it delivered the next day?” That would not have been possible. I had a rental RV that I drove across the country with, and I needed to return it because I was getting charged a grand for keeping it an extra day. They ended up bringing the car, but it was almost 12 o’clock in the morning.

The delivery driver who dropped off my vehicle made quick work of it and it was an overall pleasant, productive interaction with him. He didn’t seem annoyed that he had to come and drop it off at 12 am. Overall, pickup and delivery were both very professional. Working with AmeriFreight, they always kept me informed and they worked with me pretty well. The initial offer I was given to transport the vehicle, I said, “Hey, those dates don't work,” and I was able to get a secondary offer pretty quickly.

Get buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

I recently needed to move another vehicle from New York to Florida. Since I had a previous relationship with AmeriFreight, I reached out to them by email and phone. They said that I might get a discount because I was a repeat customer. The agent that picked up my email started explaining the process to me and then said that because I've worked with Harry before, he'd hand me off to Harry, which was seamless. What was great was they didn't just say, “Oh, Harry's your guy. You'll have to wait for him to call you back.” They actually started to work on it. The communication was very effective.

AmeriFreight is acting like a broker and they post things to the big board, and then drivers bid on it, which I ended up learning more about how this works. Also, what I found is this is a little bit of a commodity. All brokers do that, unless somehow you're working with the broker shipper and they do it in-house. But this is not an in-house shipping company. It was some third party.

There was a mix-up with the title of the vehicle because it was handed to the driver and somebody somewhere in the process, which was nothing to do with AmeriFreight. Since it was purchased from an auction house, the people at that auction house should not have given the title to the driver. It was supposed to come in the mail to me later and so I ended up having to mail the title back. There was another complication here because I was working with a broker on the auction side in order to buy it from the auction because I don't have a dealer's license and then I had to work with AmeriFreight as a broker to figure out the best way to ship it. Then one of the challenges when working with an auction house is that the driver may have to sit there for up to two hours to get all the paperwork. The driver never complained about any of that or never asked for more money, and so whatever driver did the job, they were good about it.

The other thing is that the way these systems typically work is you pay AmeriFreight a deposit with a credit card and then to get “the best deal,” you pay the driver cash on delivery. My instincts tell me AmeriFreight keeps the credit card payment deposit and the driver keeps the cash and that gives some sense of where the monies are going. In my example, it was $1,200 shipping fee. The whole cost was $1,200. Approximately 300 was the AmeriFreight deposit, and the driver was given 900 in cash. 25% for the brokerage fee is pretty hefty. But they were the correct rate. I had quoted with other companies and they came in at the same price.

The key to a first-time person who has never shipped a vehicle before is to understand the difference between working with a shipping broker versus working with a shipping carrier. If he's able to speak directly with the company that owns the trucks and pays the drivers, then it may result in different expectations than if he's working with a company like AmeriFreight that is in the business of going and finding the best driver at the time.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

We were under a tight, tight timeframe to get the car transported so the stakes were high. Our experience with AmeriFright was totally good. I got a really nice lady on the phone and she handled my fears and explained what it is they do. She explained that they're a market intermediary and they interface between truck drivers and the public. They understand what you want and then they put it up for a bid. She said, “Okay, let me take down what you need and we'll put that in the quote, and we'll see what comes up.”

She gave me a quote and I thought, “Oh, that can't be. This is too cheap.” I want to pay the market standard amount so I get the full service I'm asking for. So I said that to her. I said, “What's missing here?” And she said, “Nothing's missing. This is the quote. We got it from a supplier in California, a trucker here.” And I said, “Okay. So this is the date I want the car. Is that clear?” And she said, “Yes.”

I gulped and paid the full amount upfront. It freaks me out that I have to pay the full amount upfront or come with a check. I have to come with cash in hand to meet the truck driver at the destination. That seemed crazy and I didn't want to do that. I wanted them to be on the hook to deliver my car by paying them upfront. I preferred to pay upfront on Visa even though it was a little more. At least I had the protection of Visa and my particular card gives me 2% back so it ended up being a premium of 4%, which I swallowed. It was okay because then I know if they don't deliver, I could call up Visa and get them on it and they would do something for me.

In addition to my standard service, I wanted Auto-Protect Plus, which is where they basically give you a little insurance policy. If your car is damaged, they will pay that damage. The pay upfront and the extra special insurance ended up being another $250. The total bill was around 1,650 to have my car transported across the country. This was not a fee I relished paying, but I had to do it and it solved my problem.

Millie, my contact at AmeriFreight, said, “I'm now going to turn over your communication to CA Car Transport”. On my own initiative, I called them up. English was not their first language, which is why they probably make use of AmeriFreight. But they were very polite. They said, “What's your order number?” They looked it up and they said, “Yup, yup. We see it. You're going to get a call from the driver in two days.”

After that call, I got a call. The man said, “Hello. This is your driver for your car.” He said, “Yeah, I'm in New York State. I've got a couple of drop-offs and then I'll be over to see you. It'll be around dinner time. And they're going to tell you where to meet me.” The office called me and said exactly where to meet him, which was in a shopping mall. And I couldn't believe they picked that place because it's a very busy grocery store parking lot. So I'm sitting there in the parking area and lo and behold, this guy Steve drives in with this gigantic truck. It was like watching a cruise liner pull into a pond.” And he said to me, “Who picked this place?” And I said, “Talk to your office.” He was driving this enormous thing totally expertly and he told me what I needed to do, which was to line up and he would drive the car on the truck. He gets my keys, we sign the paperwork, and he drives it on the truck. Within 15 minutes, he was gone.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Anybody I deal with, I go by how honest they are. The young lady from AmeriFreight was very personable and upfront. I felt like from the very beginning, that she was 100% honest, very forthright. She said, “Let me explain the process to you. Let me explain how this works. We put it out there for bids. I'm gonna put it out there for the lowest bid. I can put it out there for you. But honestly, a lot of times, guys don't buy it on the lowest bid.” She was on the phone with me for 45 minutes. Very honest in explaining to me the process and how it works. I probably talked to a dozen companies and she was the only one that I felt like I wasn't wasting her time.

The first quote that she provided me, she said, with the fees and everything, she said she would try and get me in the $1,100 range. But she said, “Sometimes, it's hard to get them to bite on this. It just depends on what their load is and where they're at and things like that.” She explained to me what their fees were, so that was $1,100 including their fees, which would have put the driver at 800 bucks or whatever. And she said, “So chances are, it's going to come in a little bit more than that. But let's try with this.” I said, “Listen, I'm not gonna tell you how to do your job. You're honest. You're fair. Make it happen.”

She called me back a day later and she said, “As I discussed with you, I wasn't sure whether we could get you in at the lower rates, but we got you in it.” It was 1,390, which I thought was fair because everybody else was looking at $1,600, $1,700, $1,800. And I said to her, “Hey, sounds fair to me. And I appreciate your honesty.” And she said, “Do you want me to roll with it?” “Make it happen.” I've probably talked to her on the phone half a dozen times through this process. She called and said, “I want to let you know who your driver is. I want to let you know who the company is that’s moving the car. I want to tell you what their rating is and how well they're insured.” She went through the whole thing with me.

It was so effortless. But even the driver that the company that we used that she lined us up with went above and beyond. He stayed in contact with me, called me a couple of times while the car's being transported, called me at his halfway point. Said, “Yeah. I'm about halfway out from your location.” He said, “I picked the closes dealership to your house. I wanted to make it easy on you.” I said, “A good friend of mine owns the Chevrolet dealership right across the street. I'm not going to be able to get the car. My wife can meet you up there. But would you mind dropping it at that Chevrolet dealership? I'll call Mike right now and see if that's okay. Then we can leave the car there until we get off work this evening to pick it up.”

He asked, “What's that address?” And I said, “Well, I don't know the address. I just know the name of the dealership.” He said, “It didn't come up on my GPS when I was looking for different places to drop. If you can give me an address, call me back.” So I got him the address. I called him back. But when I did, he was pulling up. He said, “Oh, yeah. I found it.” And, “Man, I’ll help you out any way I can help you out. You want me to drop it across the street? That's perfectly fine. I'll make it happen.” The driver and the people at AmeriFreight were awesome. It was the smoothest thing I've ever done.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

I contacted AmeriFreight and they looked at the type of vehicle and the dates that I was looking at. They posted on some kind of bulletin and then there are other companies to take a bid and be like, "Oh, I can do it." But they already set a set rate. So, there's the rate that you have to pay them for doing the communications, and then you have to pay the company another separate set rate. The process was a little stressful because you're giving your car to a company and they don't tell you that you're not going to hear anything until the day before. If you're organizing everything and then you're giving your car to someone, you kind of want to know that a ride is confirmed and by who, but I didn't really know until the day before or a couple of days before.

With the company that they got for me, they told me that I had a 48-hour window that they would come pick my car up. It got into that window and I still hadn't been contacted. So, I had to contact and I wasn't really happy about that. I was like, "You should contact me before that window to tell me when in that window you're going to get it." So, within those 48 hours, I was sitting here stressing, trying to figure out when and where and all these other details amongst my move.

The same thing happened on the other end. It got into that window and I was like, "Okay, no one's contacting me," so I had to contact them. AmeriFreight was really good. It was the other company. I kept having to go through all these people and that made it kind of frustrating. I contacted the driver, the driver didn't answer, so I contacted AmeriFreight and AmeriFreight was like, "Let me contact the driver." At that point, there was a different driver. So, it was like going into circles. I was supposed to get the car on Friday, then they gave my car to a local deliverer, and they don't work on the weekends. So, I didn't get it until the following Monday.

I understand there's traffic and things change and there's a lot of other cars. But I just wanted to know and I want to be contacted and communicated with. I don't want to have to reach out to get information on my stuff. If they would have told me firsthand before the time window that, "Okay, we're running a little bit late. The local deliverers don't work on the weekends. And so, you're not going to get your car till Monday," that would have been fine. But because I had to go through the hunt and then find out on my own that I wasn't getting my car until Monday, that was frustrating. I was supposed to take a video of my car. When I got it, I was allowed to inspect it and then sign off. So, in that process, I was fine and my car was fine.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

My experience with AmeriFreight was very smooth. It was quick to find a vehicle transporter and the rates seemed fair. The car was transported quickly and without damage. Two minor feedback areas—first, I gave a target time period for shipping and explained I would be out of town prior to that date, but my first quote/match came through for transport about a week early. Second, the contact who the car was getting picked up from didn't hear from the shipper until the morning of pickup. It would have been helpful to hear from them earlier so the pickup contact knew what time they should be expecting them to arrive, given that it was a workday. Overall, however, I would definitely recommend AmeriFreight to others looking to ship a car cross-country.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2022

If you have never shipped an auto before there is a process that you should REALLY research before you ship anything this way. Amerifreight and all other companies like AmeriFreight are simply "brokers". They ship nothing themselves. They place the job on a Bid Board. Make the final choice of carrier to ship your goods, collect several hundred for their involvement and as soon as they are paid, they are done with you. You are then in the hands of the actual shipping company the middleman choses. This is where some of these reviews complain of changing prices. There are actually two different companies and two separate fees involved when shipping your car or belongings this way.

We had used Amerifreight once before and it worked out. Our second try was not handled very well. We will use neither Amerifreight or Ca Auto Express (actual shipper) again. A critical piece of information you should get after payments, is the driver's contact number. In our case our daughter and a friend were going to have to drive two hours to retrieve her car, as there are some places shippers won't go.

We made half a dozen or more contacts to CA Auto Express, and a couple to Amerifreight to get the driver's contact info so we could confirm a mutual time and date to meet in advance. We wanted to prevent the 2 hour drive having to be made in the middle of the night, or cost my daughter and her driver a day's wages. Amerifreight's response was "talk to the shipper." As noted we did that numerous times and were told no problem. You will get a 1-2 day notice of arrival date. The transit from LA-Mia took almost 12 days.

Last night (Sunday) at 9:00 P.M. we got a call from the driver telling us he was in Mia and ready to drop off the car. Now. So two of our daughters had to get a car and drive on a dangerous road 2 hours each way in the dark, late at night to meet the driver in a strange area and take possession of her car. Not once in almost 12 days could anyone call the driver and have his arrival time provided to us at least 1 day in advanced. She had obtained her cashier's check in advance or I don't know what would have happened as it was a Sunday night.

Do yourself a favor. Find an actual shipper if you can, cut out the middleman, otherwise get EVERY piece of information before you make the deal. Better yet drive it where it needs to go yourself. All we asked for, and could not get, from anyone involved was one phone call from the driver or someone giving us a one day notice. Apparently that was too much to ask for a roughly 1800 dollar job. Even at today's prices $1800 buys a lot of gas.

AmeriFreight response

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to talk to you either by phone at (678) 821-2653 or email at r.jernigan@amerifreight.net so that we may assist you with this matter.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

2013 Nissan Frontier, arrived at our house on time. We were called ahead of time and told what time they would be here. No damage to vehicle. Rosalind ** with AmeriFreight took care of all our questions and made us feel at ease using them to transport our vehicle. She made sure everything went well and was a pleasure to speak with. Very professional and very helpful. The people they had to deliver were a delight. I would definitely use this company again.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

It was easy to get a quote from AmeriFreight and it was easy to schedule the pickup and delivery too. Probably the only thing that I could criticize is the amount of time that it took to get the load secure. They put it on a board and the drivers respond and say they’ll take that job. From the time that I submitted all the information to the time that we had a driver to pick up the load, it seemed to take longer than I had anticipated. But otherwise, everything went great. We had a vehicle picked up in Atlanta and shipped to California and the total price to ship it was cheaper than what I could pay one of my guys to fly to Atlanta, get in the truck, drive it to California and fly them back. So, it worked out good on my end. The final cost was a little bit different from what the original quote was when I put it in online but it was still very affordable. It was fine.

Everybody was very responsive. I started off with one rep, and then it seemed like I was dealing with another rep, and then somewhere in-between, I ended up dealing with another rep. So, at the end, as we were trying to get things scheduled, there was a little bit of cross-communication. One rep was asking me questions, but I was answering that same question with another rep. They were not communicating on their end. But that got resolved with a phone call very easily and quickly. So, it was no big deal.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

Used Amerifreight to transport car. From Start ot finish, Team at Amerifrieght answered all my questions and explained everything. It was very easy. Transporter was great and car arrived on time on the east coast. Will use again. Brandy ** was our rep.

AmeriFreight Company Information