Consumer Reviews and Complaints

12%
  • 2 stars4
  • 1 stars11
    11%

National Moving Group is one of the largest full service movers and moving brokers in the United States. National Moving Group specializes in long distance moving, commercial moving, residential moving and auto transport.

All of our movers are licensed and insured to give you peace of mind throughout your move. We will work with you closely to guarantee your moving experience is enjoyable. Call today to request a free custom quote!

There was some issue with the movement of household stuff but special thanks to Frank who helped us throughout to resolve the issue. He was always reachable over the phone and made sure that we receive our stuff at the earliest. Thanks Frank!

I was very nervous about choosing a moving company but after talking to Eric ** with National Moving Group and seeing how detailed he was in explaining the process and doing my inventory I decided to give the company a shot. The move went off smooth and without any problems whatsoever. The process was very easy and even when I had a slight change in plans and had to change the pickup date it was no problem. No additional charge or fuss. They worked with me and my individual needs and really made the move work for me and my family. Can't say enough about the customer service and the politeness of everyone I spoke with in the company. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who appreciates honesty and integrity and the best level of service. If you're not into games go with National.

I relocated this past month from Wilmington, DE down to Boca Raton, FL. My experience from the initial sales rep Thomas **, right down to customer service was AMAZING!!! The guys were helpful on pick-up and were very professional. I've NEVER moved prior to this, and I'm so thankful I got ahold of these guys!!! I would recommend National Moving Group to friends, family and anyone else making a state to state move.

As a student moving 8 states away (from NC to ME) to dental school, I decided that I would try enlisting a moving group to take care of the stress of driving up the congested highways of the northeast. My understanding was that I would arrive at my house a few days before the moving company would arrive with all my belongings. I directly worked with JP ** who assured me that my things would arrive between 4-10 days after pickup since the east coast was their "regular route". I proceeded to plan the pickup date according to what JP assured me would be a quick move. I was very optimistic that the move would be easy and taken care of professionally. Then the nightmare began:

This moving company is a CONTRACTOR. They do not move your items personally, they hire a secondary moving group (Victory moving) to do the actual work. National only sets up the move and gives the customer the quote and both companies get a cut of the profit. This makes for a VERY disorganized system when you are calling National Moving Group. I cannot tell you how many times I had to call to receive any type of information about my move. National kept promising that they would call me back with details, and they wouldn't unless I kept hounding them for information. Also, the 24-hour customer service that National Moving group boasts is only for "emergencies". When I called after hours, the receiver was outside of the office without any access to my move information and told me to call in the morning.

They will set up a quote for you that is the "worst case scenario" and have the weight values off for your itemized list. When my items were picked up and weighed I had to pay an ADDITIONAL $430 for it being 800 lbs overweight (I even personally weighed many of my items and could not understand why collectively my items were overweight). When I called National Moving group to find out how much more I would have to pay after my items were deemed "overweight" Frank couldn't even tell me a value (because Victory was actually the one charging extra). When I asked National to work with me on the pricing because of my student budget, Frank instead requested me to fill out a positive customer review ON THIS WEBSITE in order to get a measly $50 credited back to me.

Once Victory moving group picks up your things national has NO WAY of tracking your belongings. I called multiple times to locate my items and a national employee said "yeah, my job would be a lot easier if we had a GPS tracker on each truck." This is because once Victory moving group has your things, you have to call their company in order to get any information regarding the location of your belongings.

The movers give you an estimated time of arrival when they pick up your items. My mover was OVER two hours late. I had to ask my family to stay behind and sign the paperwork because I was called into work. The movers could barely speak English! My father was trying to ask questions about the contract that he was about to sign, and the mover could not respond well enough to explain what was going on.

Which leads me to this next point. There are discrepancies between the contracts with each moving group! National moving group promises the first 21 stairs along with the first 75 feet to the house without any additional costs for moving and handling. Victory moving charged me an extra $75 for moving my items past 7 stairs (which they considered a flight). This was supposedly outlined in the contract my father signed at pickup that wasn't explained to him! I tried to contend with them about this and they refused to move anything out of the truck unless I paid them.

In addition to all of this, my items took OVER 2 weeks to arrive after pick up. In fact, Victory moving had my items taken down to Atlanta to be stored until it would be convenient and cost efficient for them to move my items up to Maine even though the east coast was said to be the "regular route". Because of this I had to sleep on an air mattress for a week and a half.

Not only that, but there is a discrepancy between the number of days the two companies guarantee delivery. National moving group guarantees 21 business days (which JP failed to ever mention to me when I was signing the contract). Victory has an even longer time frame of 30 business days. I was apparently lucky to get my things after two weeks.

Victory Moving was also very difficult to work with. I contacted DJ and had to badger him to put my items on the next truck up the northeast. Also, DJ would not work with me on a time for delivery. I basically begged Victory to at least have their movers arrive after 5:30 (Because in dental school I have class from 8-5). They told me that they were arriving when they wanted to, and if they had to wait for me they would charge me an extra $79 for each hour they had to wait. I had to ask a friend to be on standby for when they arrived.

My overall experience was EXTREMELY dissatisfying. I had an ungodly amount of stress tacked on to the stress of starting a healthcare professional school. Both moving companies were very unprofessional, and I ended up paying $500 more than the original quoting price. I wrote this long detailed review in hopes that I can prevent another person from falling trap to this nonsense. I hope sharing my story helps you decide to not move with this company.

National Moving Group was a true disappointment. They contract out different movers to do the actual moves and Oleg Van Lines, Inc moved my things. Not dependable, not reliable, not truthful. I have moved 14 times in the last 17 years and this is THE WORST company I've ever worked with. That's the short answer.

Long answer: For National Moving Group's benefit, I would review Oleg's performance and their website's customer reviews as they are all negative. I would eliminate them from your manpower workflow as they are giving National an even worse name. I found National Moving Group on the Consumer Affairs website, going through the 'which mover is best for you' survey.

I called and spoke with Jeffrey ** who was very helpful in going through all the items I had to be moved. He gave me a quote and noted that he'd call back in a few days after I had reviewed my things again at home and would re-evaluate the numbers if anything changed. Very helpful. I did have a few more things so a few days later we spoke and he gave me a new estimate. I have not heard from Jeffrey since nor could I reach him directly, after numerous messages during this awful process, to talk to him about Oleg Van Lines, Inc. Along with Jeffrey disappearing, and because of my negative experience with Oleg, National Moving Group is receiving this negative review.

Oleg Van Lines, Inc.: I worked with Eric at Oleg whose professionalism is nonexistent. He came to pick up my belongings in Brooklyn on a Saturday with two additional movers, one of whom was his 15 year old son(?!?!). Once all was packed into the truck we talked about delivery timing. First, he said all my things were going to New Jersey that night to be transferred to a different truck with items for other moves along the route. That's always a concern as moving from truck to truck adds the possibility of damaging and/or losing goods. As National Moving Group rep, Jefrey **, told me the route would be an estimated 3-10 days.

Eric told me they "don't know what the heck they're talking about - they're in Florida and don't know how this works; they just get the initial move going." So, to 'help out' he said he would make sure my things would be put on a truck that Monday for a delivery to my new home in SC on Tues/Wed. "Don't worry, I got this! I've talked to the mover, it's happening!" he said. He also said he's been "doing this for almost 20 years" so he knows what he's doing. Ok. Sure.

He gave me the number to Alex, the driver of my belongings, so I could check in from time to time. I texted both Eric and Alex two days later (Monday) to check in and they said they didn't get my things on the first truck but would be loaded on the next truck in 48-72 hours. That means a later arrival and a completely different route schedule with other moves. Not promising. They said they hoped to get things to me the following Saturday/Sunday. Side note - I'm starting a new job that Monday, which they have no concern for whatsoever.

I check in a couple days later to learn that the truck broke down. I actually spoke with Alex and he said, "The truck will be ready by Monday and we'll try and get things to you that night." I pushed my new job start date until later in the week to anticipate this delivery. I write a text to both Alex and Eric and Eric writes back (verbatim), "Cross country moving involves a lot of details and yes trucks that are on the road without service results in break downs and requires repairs, it's not uncommon." What?! This is a moving company and this is what you are expected to do - trucks should be routinely serviced so breakdowns do not happen. This is what we pay you to do, to move our things safely within the expected timeline. This is a complete disregard to your own delivery expectations much less our, your client's, expectations.

Eric texts later that the truck "will be ready to leave by Tuesday or Wednesday" and an estimated ETA of Wed/Thurs. A different answer than Alex's Monday answer. I wait and on Tuesday I ask how many moves are before mine. Eric responds, "I believe 4-5." How he expected the truck to make 4-5 stops before mine between Tuesday and Wednesday is beyond me. For someone who boasts that he's been doing this for 20 years and knows what he's doing, that's crucially underestimated.

Days pass and I check in with Alex via phone on Saturday. He's in Myrtle Beach and will be at my apartment the next night (Sunday) between 5-7 pm. Yay! I call him again on Sunday at 7 pm and he's still in Myrtle Beach (thanks for the warning, Alex) but will deliver the next morning (Monday) at 7 am. I call him at 8 am Monday and he's just waking up, "oh I'm so tired. I need to wash my face." Unbelievable, yet not a surprise AT ALL. He says he'll be here at 9 am. Then changes it to 10 am. I explain that I have taken a day off of work, a job I have just started, and all I am doing is waiting for my things to show up. He showed up at 11 am.

Other than the 4 duffel bags they tried to deliver to me that weren't mine, I believe I received everything. A table had a gash on the rim and my new coffee table had two large gouges on the edge. Two large plastic bins were obliterated with memorable items hanging out the side. Half of my boxes were either semi-crushed or split open. Boxes marked 'fragile' were delivered and placed upside down. Too annoyed to file a claim so, National, no need to send me your blanket statement response to contact you during normal working hours. My advice, if you want a trustworthy mover that cares about your things, valuable or not, don't use Oleg and don't use National.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about National Moving Group?

Worst move experience ever! I hired them to move my Pediatric therapy business from NYS to FLA. They are moving brokers and sub'd out the job. They were 4 days late---ran over my lease end date. Then were 1 hr late on that day of move. Right off the bat their sub-contract movers (Straight Forward Moving, Kenilworth, NJ) said, "You have to pay more for steps," and then informed me that I had more 'stuff' than expected and charged me $300 more that day. My office equipment is now being held hostage someplace unknown to me supposedly in Fla. The Fed. Motor Carriers Admin. states they have an additional 21 business days to deliver and unless they charge me double the amount it's not considered 'held hostage'! NUTS!

Since I reported National Movers to the BBB they will not talk to me or work with me and tell me to have a nice day and hang up! The NJ movers stated above are also SCAMMERS and will not release the location of the items moved! AND all these items are to work with handicapped children! ABSOLUTELY unimaginable---there is a special place for ALL of these idiots! BEWARE!

At the very beginning to the end, everything was just about horrible until Alyssa. I felt like no one was giving me the time to explain the crappy situation. I hope you give her a raise or something for handling this situation so properly.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Very displeased with the handling of my move. I was deceived, lied to and fed false information not to mention some of my belongings were left behind. However, if it had not been for Alyssa ** and her compassion, professionalism and working hard to help my situation get resolved it could have turned out far worse. She is truly an asset to the company and we are thankful. However, in good conscience I would not recommend the company to anyone. Thank you Alyssa ** for truly resolving my issues.

It was the most pleasurable moving I have ever had. All the team members from the top down were respectful, courteous, understanding. I cannot recommend all of them enough. All I can say at this point in time is thank you, thank you and more thank you's.

Ripoff company. They offered me a very low price, and even I had much less stuff than initially they raised the price. They sent me truck from EZ Movers, but when driver raised the price they refused to negotiate it, even in their policy says they have to help with price negotiations. They took 1,500 on top of EZ Movers charge. When I asked "why you took this money," it no answer. What is their participation in the process, they just found a client for EZ Movers. Plus, my furniture had multiple damages after this moving service, but no refund. I would not recommend anyone this business, only to my enemies.

When I called to arrange my move, all was perfect, representative was so responsive and helpful that I got lured in. Set up a delivery date two weeks from the pickup date to guarantee this exact day. All was well. I was very detailed and conservative on the online inventory estimation to have as few surprises as possible. And then the pickup date came... Movers gave me almost the double sq footage of what I was quoted for. I had nothing to do but pay this ransom... But then as the delivery date was approaching, I found out that my stuff is still at destination and will arrive about a week after initially agreed. I had numerous conversations with customer service and was basically told to plea to the moving company directly because there was nothing they could do. Fantastic...

And then when I flexed a muscle and said it would be reflected in my review, the woman from customer service basically cursed and hang up the phone. Few days later I got to talk to her supervisor who was nice and sympathetic but nothing changed in the state of the matters – my things were still 1000 miles away. By the end of our conversation this lady said "Now I'm going to send you a review link and if you give us 5 stars, then I'm going to refund you $50 for your inconvenience." So bribing for a review – that's a good one... Wonder if I will be refunded after I give my HONEST opinion...

Moved a family of 5 from Cali to FL. Shockingly nothing was lost or broken. Customer service was a 10.

Resolution response: Aug. 3, 2016

There was a misunderstanding as to the type of cargo that could be moved through National Moving Group. Frank did a great job of resolving our problem and refunding our full deposit of $609.95 (Pending)... Thanks!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

We had a big misunderstanding over the type of cargo we needed to move, but after much discussion, Frank the Sales Manager refunded our deposit in full...

The long distance move which I booked with National Moving Group turned out to be a week long nightmare. My agent Erik ** was wonderful until things started going wrong, then he would not answer my calls for help. Elizabeth and Tami in customer service were worthless, rude, and unprofessional. My move was scheduled between 9am and noon. The outsourced movers, Super Movers & Storage, finally showed up at 8:45pm! The driver, Mohammad, complained from the beginning that the estimate was underweight. One thing Erik assured me of was that there would be no problem with the estimate because things even out. By 11:30 pm with the truck loaded I'm signing under duress for an additional $1093 to get them out of my house. No one can be reached at National even though they assure you of after hours assistance if there are problems.

At delivery Mohammad was demanding cash instead of money order. He threatened to take our furniture to storage and charge us for storage because my husband was questioning the weight difference which was thousands of lbs. different from the estimate. He won, but I finally got my furniture! My furniture was damaged, a lamp is missing, a steel door was scraped and gouged by them forcing the legs of a sofa through it. I had to borrow tools from a neighbor at 10pm because they had no tools with them to disassemble the bed and mirror which was part of the contract. This is the short version of the complaint I have filed with the Better Business Bureau on both companies. No one should ever have to go through what we did with all the promises made at signing. Tell everyone you know to avoid these two companies so you won't live the nightmare we did!!!

I received my household stuff yesterday and I have lots of valuable item missing. Moving from Sunnyvale to Wisconsin. I tried to call the manager from Best Moving and he is behaving rudely and using abusing language. He is also saying he is not going to approve my claims. Please let me know how to deal with this. This is not the kind of customer satisfaction I accepted from National Moving Group. Please let me know how to follow up on this. Thanks.

Updated 8/15/2016 - This is regarding my Claim number. These were the items which I had found missing/Stolen from my luggage when I received the delivery. And after your verification, I am receiving only 67$. I did not expect this type of customer satisfaction from you. I have gone through lot of mental pressure during these days. I am really disappointed from your service. And I will not advise anybody to use National Moving Group.

I had an issue that Cami was able to work out for me in a very timely fashion and to my satisfaction. I greatly appreciate her intervention in my case.

Resolution response: July 22, 2016

This was an incredibly stressful experience for us, but Tami was amazing. She helped us fix issues, fought for us, followed up with us and I will say again that I wish I could give her a hug! She saved the day!

Original review: July 15, 2016

Will never use National again. Worst experience with a company ever. The ONLY positive was Tami in customer service. She was amazing. She was so kind and helpful, and fought for us when no one else would. I would give her a big hug if I could!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

I am so grateful that I got the privilege of working with Tammy. Without a doubt she is one of the best agents I've ever had to deal with, caring and compassionate is what she is all about. Without her I would of given up and taken a loss... Thank you. P.S. Because of Tammy you got the set of 5 stars.

My move was not going well at first, which was caused by the moving company that was assigned the job. I had many problems dealing with them and getting them to respond/reply with accurate estimates on when my move would be delivered. I finally came to the realization that maybe National Moving Group would have more success in getting a response from the moving company. I was fully prepared to be told to deal with the moving company about any problems or complaints, but Tami (my service rep at NMG) was able to resolve all of my problems with the moving company quickly. She followed up with me and even offered a $50 refund for my troubles and assured me that National Moving Group will never send work to the company that was causing all of the delays and cost issues. I should have called NMG as soon as I started experiencing problems with this other moving company, as they were quick to resolve any and all problems.

Had an issue with damage to my desk. Tami, from your company, contacted the moving company. I got a more than fair settlement. She did a great job.

I recently moved from Georgia back to Nebraska. The move was seamless. The staff at NMG was courteous, friendly and very helpful. Moving is always stressful. But they reassured me to leave it in their hands. I would recommend to family and friends.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

When I contracted with National Moving Group, I was given a lot of bad information. Alyssa (customer service) worked with me to get my "goods" delivered when nothing else seemed to work. She was great! Even waited patiently through my meltdown. Although I was disappointed in the length of time it took me to get my furniture & am totally disappointed in the company my contract was given to, Alyssa was my lifeline to remain sane. Thank you, Alyssa!

Just wanted to leave the highest review for your company and customer service. I had the best experience dealing with Julian, and would recommend to anyone. I have moved too many times to count and this was by far the most focused service that I have ever been given. Thank you again!

When looking for moving company options the best deal seemed to be with National Moving Group. In speaking with estimator Erik ** he provided me with the details and information needed with what to expect and for my first upcoming long distance move. This proved to be a very smooth long distance moving experience moving all my possessions from Arizona to NY in 11 days. Customer service was excellent - thanks to Alyssa. I would highly recommend using this moving group for any long distance moving needs.

I absolutely loved my experience with this company, they handled all my items with care. My items arrived on time. No damage to any of my stuff and I had a lot of fragile items. So grateful for the staff, I was able to speak to a live person at 2 am because I was curious to see where the truck was since this was my first big move. And it was amazing. Will definitely use their services again.

Thus far, our experience with this company has been horrible! It started with the lies and misleadings from rep, Joe, who lied about price, duration of time to get our things, and many other things. He told me to call him on his cell often, where the lies and misleadings weren't recorded. In my opinion, he should be fired! I've never used a moving company before and he knew that, so he took full advantage of my ignorance!!

Then, after two weeks (which our things were promised to arrive after one week), when I called National to find out where on Earth our things were, I was told your company had NO idea where our things were! This was extremely stressful for us as we have in our things, photos, my son's things who had passed away, and other things which cannot be replaced!! Rep Tammy, worked hard to find out where our things were and is the ONLY one so far who deserves the five stars!! So to be clear, the stars are NOT for the company but for Tammy only!! Thank you!

I called National moving group to moving my furniture from Mississippi to San Antonio. Even thought it cost more money than U-Haul I felt it was a good decision. I was wrong. I was told my stuff would be picked up on Sunday the 12th between noon and 6. I was told a driver would call me with a exact time. No one ever called or showed up. Then I received a text message saying they would be there at noon then another text saying between 2 and 5. The driver finally showed up at midnight. I called that Tuesday to discuss the issue. I was told I would receive a discount, but they had to work on it. This took a week to figure out my discount. Since I moved into a two story house they wouldn't charge me to move my stuff upstairs. I dint have a problem with that cause at this time I just want my stuff. Someone called me on Sunday and told me they would be there Monday. No one called or showed up.

I get a call Tuesday. The caller said someone would be here between 1-4. At some 6 the mover showed up. They can't put my furniture back together because they don't have any tools. My bed posts are broke and box spring dirty and tore up. They were in a mattress cover when I shipped them. I am missing parts off my bed. I cannot put my bed together because of broken pieces and missing parts. I need to buy a new bed. I will update tomorrow on how they handle it. I'm not willing to wait another week for them to handle this. I will be contacting a lawyer tomorrow.

Resolution response: June 22, 2016

Currently working out a plan to rectify the situation. I have confidence in Tammi, the customer service representative to uphold all rules and regulations outlined in the FMCSA and follow through with the original contract signed with National Moving Company.

Original review: June 19, 2016

National Moving Group is a broker company. They contract with other movers to actually do the work. When you sign an agreement with National Moving Group, the actual drivers that pick up, drive and load do not have to follow the contract you signed. I experienced many discrepancies when the driver arrived to pick up. It was so bad that I thought I was being scammed. National Moving Group could do nothing about it. National Moving Group's customer service was poor, but even if it was good, they can't do anything to help the day of pickup. The quote was so severely off that I believe they misquoted me on purpose to get my business. If this review causes one person to go with a different company, it is worth it. My experience was miserable. I could have paid the competitors the same and at the very least, experienced some level of transparency. Please use a different company. National Moving Group is not a good moving solution.

I have mixed emotions: Ordering was extremely upsetting. Brandon claimed time and time again NMG was different because you weighed items, not by how much room was taken up in the truck. So I sold some very expensive but heavy items so I wouldn't have to pay to haul. Then when they came to load my stuff THEY CHARGED ME PER SQUARE FOOT which is EXACTLY what Brandon told me time and time again you didn't do that made your company different. He straight up lied and was extremely deceiving. It was recorded via phone so I would appreciate if that was dealt with. I know that he brings in a lot of business but there are other ways to do it than lying.

Pick up company was great! Couldn't be more satisfied. Delivery was more than disappointing - box was lost, things were damaged, & driver trashed my yard. Still haven't received package. Tami was AMAZING! She took care of me and has done everything in her power to solve all the issues the drivers created! I could not be more happy with my customer service from her. She deserves so much from you guys. Without her, I would be probably suing your company. Things are not completely worked out yet but they are getting figured out thanks to her.

National was great for moving my kids from NC to Ohio. I appreciate everything that Alyssa did for us in making our move a smooth transition.

National Moving Group Company Profile