Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.49/5

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

They breached our contract and they apologised for their mistake. We lost everything and left with nothing. They raised our unit rent during this pandemic as their excuse was they did not have enough units. This company has not done anything to help as we lost our home and now all our personal belongings that cannot be replaced like my Pantera memorabilia and photographs. My kids' baby clothes and their baby stuff. It is wrong on so many levels as they realised they messed up on their end and as we found out we were not the only ones. We would love everything back including our furniture, electronics and more.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Paula, unfortunately, we have not been able to locate your order based on the information we have at this time. If you could update your post with more information, such as your quote or order number, we will look into this right away and follow up with you directly. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I ordered a container for a long-distance move, and the pickup keeps getting delayed! I keep hearing "tomorrow" and in the meantime, I am about to close on the house! Customer service doesn't help, just keeps talking at me, with "I apologize" and "We will prioritize" and "Unfortunately" blah blah. Terrible experience.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the difficulties our customer has experienced. We can confirm that the customer’s container was picked up on 9/16. We appreciate the feedback and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

I contacted this company to help with my move in July 2020. They picked up the container on July 12th. They then transported the unit to my new home on August 11th. As I opened the container all of my items were fallen over. As the items were out of the unit I noticed the majority of my items badly damaged including my bedroom furniture, tv stands, floor vase completely broken and cracked to severe damage to my other bed set. I contacted the company, filed a claim for these items totaling over $1500 in value. These items were packed neatly and orderly along with blankets. They then refused to pay for my damages and blamed me for the damage.

This is completely unfair and unprofessional. I paid them over $450 to store and transport my property and they have damaged my property. The unit must have not been managed carefully. They are not taking responsibility for this, this is unjust. No disclosures were sent to me prior to me making an informed decision to use their services. I did not receive any other documents after searching my e-mail, I would like to have a fair settlement for the damaged caused. I am not to be blamed for this. This is not a fair and honest way to do business and treat their customer. Also adding the claims representative refused to allow me to speak to a manager. This is completely wrong. Please help. They need to take responsibility and do what is fair to provide me with a fair settlement for my damaged items. Thank you.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

While we apologize for the customer's experience, 1-800-PACK-RAT cannot accept liability for the damages incurred. Despite the denial of the claim, a customer service gesture has been offered to the customer. The 1-800-PACK-RAT claims department is currently waiting to receive a response from the customer and we will remain in contact until this matter has been resolved.”

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I am currently living a nightmare and I do not know when I will be receiving 1 out 2 containers. We used 1-800-PACK-RAT to move us from Miami to Satellite Beach Fl in late July. We rented 2, 16 foot containers, filled them with all of our personal belongings and they were suppose to be stored in an storage facility in Orlando Fl, to be brought to our home in satellite beach. I called pack rat 2 weeks before I needed them delivered to be told they needed 10 business days notice to arrange delivery, therefore there would be an additional $650.00 in delivery fees. I paid because I had no other choice. I called again on 8/31, 24 hours before delivery, to request an afternoon time slot and I was told it would be an extra $150.00 for that as well.

On 9/1/20, the day of delivery, I get a call from the driver that has only 1 of my containers to be told the other one is still in Miami and the delivery has not been coordinated. I proceed to call customer service, after an exceedingly long wait time, I am told that our container NEVER LEFT MIAMI and that a manager will call me back. I had to insist on speaking to the manager, and after 1.5 hours on the phone with Nelson/manager I was finally able to negotiate a refund of $575.00 of the extra charges that were incurred to have my containers delivered by 9/1/20.

Nelson then proceeds to tell me that he does not have an ETA on my container, and that he is currently trying to locate a driver to drive it to my home in Satellite Beach. It is currently the morning of 9/2/2020, Wednesday before Labor Day weekend and we are still waiting to here when our container with ALL OF OUR BELONGINGS will be delivered. Instead of providing me with a direct number to speak to Nelson, every time I call customer service I am put on hold for a ridiculous amount of time, as if my time was not valuable at all.

We have spent an exorbitant amount of money, in moving and storage charges, as well as hired movers to help us unload the containers, all money which is lost because I cannot get that back. There was careful planning and timing in the coordination of this move due to covid- 19. My family and I cannot go out and rent another home, we need our belongings delivered to us immediately or at least an ETA on when it will be delivered. My next phone call will be to secure legal representation because I have no confidence in what I am being told at this point. If anyone can offer any insight as to how I can solve this problem please reach out to me. Thanks.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Veronica, We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced! We understand that a member of our team has reached out directly to confirm that your container will be delivered tomorrow. If you have any further questions, please contact our Customer Service team at 1-800-722-5728 or at movinghelp@1800packrat.com

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

On April 27, 2018, the driver relocated two pods. During 1st pod relocation, I advised the pod was supposed to be facing opposite direction. He stated that if he changed the pod orientation, I would not receive the 2nd pod that day. He appeared to be rushing. During delivery, I noticed he didn't lower the rear of the truck or use the leveling jacks (on sloped driveway). As he extended the pod off the rear of the truck, the driveway under the left/rear tires began to sink slowly into the asphalt and it buckled. He used the leveling jack when dropping off the 2nd pod and no issue was encountered. I mentioned it to the driver(s) picking up the pods and was told the leveling jacks should always be used, especially on an unleveled driveway.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

1-800-PACK-RAT apologizes for the customer’s experience. This complaint was recently communicated to our corporate claims department. They are currently in the process of getting in contact with both the local facility and the customer to further investigate this matter.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

This company has been terrible to work with. THEY DO NOT ANSWER THE PHONE FOR EXISTING CLIENTS. After weeks of trying to call, I finally called the new client number and got through right away. Be aware, you have to contact them directly to make payments. They will not move the pod unless you talk to them in person. This has been an issue with pickup, transport and delivery. Because they do not answer the phone, I will not get the pod of stuff to my new house for another two weeks! FOR THE MONEY - USE A DIFFERENT COMPANY!

There is no way to get in contact with the staff at 800PackRat unless you select the new customer option from the automated options...that line answers right away! They only pipe existing customers to an endless waiting line. You can't get through to an actual person. I still don't have my stuff after nearly two weeks. I wish I would have gone with a different company.

I will be taking action with a formal report to the BBB as well as various internet outlets for reviews. I can't believe how terrible the customer service is for this company and the ongoing problems. Beware, they will take money up front, but not deliver the goods...except the empty pod right away as they want to charge that monthly fee. GO WITH A DIFFERENT MOVING COMPANY. It would have been better for me to have driven my stuff across county myself at this point.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Crystal, We are so sorry to hear about the difficulty. If you’d take a moment to send us your order number and best contact number, we will ask a team member to investigate and follow-up directly with you

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

My fully packed container was due for collection from my Colorado home on 8/21. I called customer service 3 times that day and they repeatedly assured me that the container would be retrieved. The customer service rep advised that they could pick up as late as 11PM and I had to stay up to answer the confirmation call ahead of pickup (coming from two time zones away, this was very late for me). No one ever came or contacted me about a delay.

Again on 8/22, I contacted customer service 2 times and was assured that my pickup was on the schedule and would be retrieved by 6PM. I was already booked to fly to my new address so I had to provide extra contact phone numbers for them to call ahead of pickup - this ended up being pointless because again they never came nor contacted me about a delay. Today is now two days late, and being a Sunday my hopes are low that they will actually retrieve my container today. The closing date for my home sale is tomorrow, and if it’s not picked up I will be liable to breach of contract fines as a result of 1-800-PACK-RAT failing to deliver on their promises and agreements.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Our Resolution Team has spoken with the customer regarding the delay. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

August 19, 2020. I scheduled a unit for a cross country move in early May. I had a pod delivered to my home in late July. There was absolutely no problem with the original delivery or pickup of the unit. I paid in full and that's when the problems began! The unit was picked up July 31st with a delivery date set in Phoenix. I called a week ahead of the unit delivery to be sure everything was on schedule as planned. The customer service agent assured me everything was fine. That date came and no pod, no call. I had to spend over an hour on hold and talking a customer service agent that assured me the unit would be delivered by 10:30 that evening. There was no callback and no delivery.

The next day, no pod, no call AGAIN! I called customer service agents 3 times throughout the day only to be told no one was sure where my unit even was. By 5pm, I spent another 2 hours on hold talking to the call center. Three associates told me I would be contacted by a manager. No calls, no help. Today is the third time I've called "customer service," sat on hold for 45 minutes only to be told NOTHING different than the past two days! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THIS COMPANY. Once they get your money they don't care about the customer!!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Jill – we are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. We understand that your container has been delivered and a manager has contacted you to discuss a resolution.

Resolution response: Aug. 28, 2020

Resolution: Though I needed to call a few times to follow up, my pods five arrived 5 days late, though safe and sound. A small per dime credit was offered and accepted. The drivers were extremely courteous. In the end, we saved a lot of money packing and unpacking ourselves and in using 1-800-Pack-Rat, but it is important to keep the customer informed so that they know in advance if there is a problem with the delivery rather than saying nothing and then not being able to give us hope as to when it would arrive.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

My 3 pods were delivered for me to load, and subsequently picked up from my now former home in Ohio without a hitch. Driver was very courteous. Our schedule called for 2 of the pods to then be delivered to Atlanta on August 7th and the 3rd one on August 11th. We had called to double check that everything was scheduled correctly, and it was. So August 7th comes and I have all my help lined up and it's getting later in the afternoon and no call. After waiting over 40 minutes on the phone, I'm told that the bottom line was that all 3 pods are STILL IN OHIO. Something about bids are solicited from national carriers for delivering the pods and they didn't have an order built yet for them to be delivered.

Customer service rep supervisor Parker, while very apologetic, is on it and said I would hear back from him on the status by 8/9--it's about 2pm on 8/9 and so far no word on when they will be picked up in Ohio and when they'll be delivered in Georgia. I'm profoundly upset as we are living in extreme sparse conditions in the house now. It seems that the worse case scenario would have been for customer service to have called me to tell me the situation well ahead of time, but to say nothing to me is beyond comprehension. I really want to see them rally to the situation and go beyond to make things right. I'll report back on the resolution as you need to know this.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Larry, if you would message your information, we will ask a team member to reach out directly to you to find out what’s going on and see how we can help. We don’t delete comments, but we do try to help if you’d take a moment to share your order number and best contact info.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

Prices are competitive and containers are good, but you cannot trust their dates, if you need precise destination delivery dates to be precise, hire someone else. They said 10 working days for my move but only after containers were full. I was told that it was 10 days to THEIR warehouse, then their availability window closed and I couldn't get the containers on dates convenient for me, the paying customer, because THEIR trucks and drivers were stretched thin. Once a day was picked, if I wanted morning or afternoon, it would cost extra.

When I decided to rent U-haul van to go to their warehouse to empty one of my containers, they said fine and offered (shocker) a $100 discount for not having to take a container to my address, drop off, wait 3 days then go back to my address to pick up empty container. The numbers are made to work in their favor. The 2nd container that was finally delivered to my house at their convenient time (I wasn't available), was placed on the way of cars in the back alley and I had to apologise to all my neighbors. Calling 1800packrat was hell, always took more than 15 min (hack = press the new client options, they always pickup), when I asked for the container delivered to be moved, they said it would cost additional. I would never use them again.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi karlston, We appreciate your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience. Could you please provide your order number and a phone number so we can look into this further? Thank you!

1-800-PACK-RAT author review by Jessica Render

1-800-PACK-RAT is a portable storage and moving company capable of local and long distance moving. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.

• Moving needs: 1-800-PACK-RAT offers local, long distance and military moving. They offer 8-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot containers depending on the consumer’s needs. Consumers can pack at their own pace or consult with a professional laborer.

• Security: A no-cut security lock is provided as well as $10,000 in content protection for free. The consumer may purchase other content protection plans as well.

• Storage solutions: All containers are weatherproof to help prevent mold and mildew making them great for seasonal storage. Storage facilities are monitored 24/7 and are climate controlled.

• Military moving: For military members choosing a do-it-yourself move or personally procured move (PPM), 1-800-PACK-RAT will provide empty and full PPM weight tickets. The government will reimburse 95 percent of the cost for a PPM move.

• Service areas: 1-800-PACK-RAT has locations in the United States and Canada. Consumers can go online to view a full list of cities. Each facility provides moving and storage services within approximately 50-100 miles of that facilities location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information