3.6/5 (217 ratings)

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT provides moving and storage services nationwide, offering steel, weatherproof storage containers in three sizes that you pack at your own pace. The company has local and long-distance moving options, or you can use storage services only. 1-800-PACK-RAT services 97% of the United States, according to its website, and promises 100% customer satisfaction.

Pros

• Online account management
  • Pack at your own pace
  • Customer satisfaction promise

Cons

• Pricing unavailable online
  • Storage facilities not in all states

Bottom Line

1-800-PACK-RAT delivers steel, weatherproof containers to your home so you can pack for a local or long-distance move or store belongings. Customers can request a quote by filling out a form on the website.

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT offers local and long-distance moving services, along with storage. The company delivers storage containers to your home or business, and you can pack at your own pace. When you’re ready, the company picks up the containers for transport to another location or storage at one of its more than 65 secure warehouses. You can choose from multiple Contents Protection Plans to insure your belongings. 1-800-PACK-RAT also makes it possible to schedule pickup and drop-off dates and update billing information online with its My PackRat account management tool.

What services does 1-800-PACK-RAT offer?

With 1-800-PACK-RAT, you can choose local moving, long-distance moving, storage or a combination of these services. 1-800-PACK-RAT offers three sizes of steel, weatherproof moving containers for delivery: 8-foot (holds about one to two rooms of furniture), 12-foot (holds about two to three rooms of furniture) and 16-foot (holds about three to four rooms of furniture). You can take as much time to pack as you need. 1-800-PACK-RAT then picks up the containers and transports them to the new location or to one of its secure storage facilities. You can also keep a container on your property for storage as long as you need it.

1-800-PACK-RAT usually delivers containers within 48 hours. Local move times depend on the season and the location. Long-distance moves under 1,500 miles take up to 10 business days, and moves over 1,500 miles take 10 to 14 business days. 1-800-PACK-RAT also ships moving supplies and offers Contents Protection Plans to cover your possessions.

1-800-PACK-RAT costs

1-800-PACK-RAT provides free online quotes. Fill out a form on the company website to begin the quote process. You can select moving, storage or both moving and storage. The quote will include monthly rental cost, total due at delivery and estimated future transportation costs. To arrange a long-distance move with 1-800-PACK-RAT, you may need to speak to a representative over the phone.

For local moves and storage, the company charges you for rental and delivery once it delivers the empty container. You pay for transportation and pickup fees as they occur. Storage fees are charged on a monthly basis.

For long-distance moves, 1-800-PACK-RAT charges a $500 deposit five days before delivery of the empty container. The remaining balance is due before transport to the final destination.

1-800-PACK-RAT FAQ

What size storage container do I need from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
The company offers a helpful space calculator on its company website to help you figure out how many and what size storage containers you need. An 8-foot container typically holds one to two rooms of furniture, a 12-foot container holds two to three rooms of furniture, and a 16-foot container holds about three to four rooms of furniture.
Are my belongings secure in a storage unit from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
Storage containers are made from steel and have barn-style doors that lock. The containers are weatherproof and designed to prevent moisture absorption. During pickup and delivery, the loading mechanism keeps the container level to minimize movement of contents inside. For maximum protection, customers should consider purchasing a 1-800-PACK-RAT Contents Protection Plan, which provides coverage up to $75,000.
Where is 1-800-PACK-RAT located?
1-800-PACK-RAT is based in Wake Forest, North Carolina. The company has more than 65 storage facilities across the U.S. and services 97% of the country.
How long does it take to get a container from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
1-800-PACK-RAT states that in most cases it can deliver an empty container within 48 hours. The delivery time varies based on the date and location.

Do we recommend 1-800-PACK-RAT?

1-800-PACK-RAT is a good option if you don’t need a full-service moving experience or you’re looking for off-site storage. The company drops off containers at your home or business, and you can pack and load items at your convenience. It then picks up the containers for local or long-distance transport or delivery to one of its storage facilities. Some companies offer similar services, so be sure to get quotes and compare overall value before moving forward.

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

Excellent experience moving my family from West Florida to Southern Colorado. Very fair pricing compared to other companies (not much more expensive than a moving truck). We needed two 16 ft units. Customer service was great, they always answered my calls and were extremely flexible allowing me to bump up my full unit drop off and empty unit pickup dates multiple times since we arrived in Colorado earlier than expected.

The driver in FL was excellent as he had a great attitude and worked with me to reposition the units to where they fit perfectly in the driveway as space was tight on our street. The driver in CO didn’t have a good attitude and didn’t put the units exactly where I wanted them but it worked out fine. The units were well built, made of all steel construction. We had no damaged items upon arrival but a lot of that was due to careful packing of the unit and protection of our items with blankets. Really impressed with the customer service and fair pricing, we will definitely use them again for our next move. We were skeptical given some of the poor reviews, especially since Pack Rat is a sister company of Zippy Shell which has really bad reviews. Zippy shell was cheaper but we went with pack rat and are glad we did. Hope this helps someone.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Joel, We are glad to hear everything went well and we appreciate your feedback – we’ll share that with our team.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2022

I recently moved from New Jersey to South Carolina. When I was planning the move, I looked into many avenues of moving our stuff. I felt the best option for the price offered was 1-800-PACK-RAT. From the first time I called, I could tell that the staff really appreciated our business and every person that I've spoken to since seems to really appreciate the business and was very friendly. I would also like to especially thank Ginger **, who was able to work with me on getting the best possible price.

There was communication from the local vendors regarding when the units would be dropped off and picked up. The initial driver who dropped off the container empty in New Jersey had a lot of great tips on the smartest way to pack the unit to be able to fit the most stuff and to prevent damage. I am happy to report that all of our items made it to our destination with absolutely no damage. I would highly recommend using 1-800-PACK-RAT to my friends and family. If I were to move again, I would use them again!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

My partner & I moved from Massachusetts to California this fall, and we used Pack Rat to ship our things from our old place to our new place. I called several moving container companies and ended up going with Pack Rat because they were able to match the lowest price we were quoted from another company. I had also received a recommendation from a colleague who had used Pack Rat and had a good experience.

Overall I would say we had a good experience with Pack Rat. I was pleased with the communication from customer service -- everyone I spoke to was friendly, and if I called during a busy time, I was glad that I could just receive a call back at a later time so I didn't have to wait on hold forever. The containers were picked up and delivered without issue, and we found the drivers to be very nice as well. There was an instance in which we called Pack Rat to change the direction the doors on the container were facing before the container was dropped off and this change didn't happen, but it ended up being fine for us. Instructions were clear, none of our stuff was damaged in the cross-country trip, and it was easy to call and change when our containers were picked up/dropped off.

The container we had didn't look like it was in the best shape, but it was good enough and all of our stuff was okay so that's what mattered most to us. I would certainly recommend them to anyone else looking for a moving container company that's as inexpensive as possible! I was really happy that they were able to match the lower price of another company -- that was such a big deal to us since we were trying to save as much money as possible.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Olivia, Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

I hired PackRat to facilitate my move from Miami FL to Greensboro NC. It was the best decision I made. I spoke with a customer service rep who explained the entire process, my costs, when I would be charged and what to expect regarding the container. I moved a five bedroom home in a 16 foot container. With one month of "storage". My container was dropped off as promised. I also hired "Packers" and "Unpackers" through the site to pack the container. Both teams were phenomenal!! Although the East Coast was dealing with Hurricane Ian, PackRat delivered my container as contracted. It was emptied and ready for pick up on the designated day. All in all, my experience was absolutely stress-free! I am grateful that I used PackRat and definitely would recommend them to whomever asks.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

The four drivers that we had were absolutely amazing. We were in an apartment in a tough spot but the first driver was super sweet and worked with us on figuring out the best way to park the container. The 2nd guy picking it up was amazing and super sweet. The lady dropping the container off at our house (once it was ready) also had to maneuver because all of the neighbors had parked on the road that day, but she did amazing!!! Even managed to stay off of the grass. The last guy that picked up our container was really nice and I had explain to him that I wasn't gonna be able to be there but if he had any issues to let me know, and I would reschedule. He was able to get the container and didn't damage our driveway or any other cars around us. All of our stuff was packed pretty tight into the container. We packed like they suggested and didn't have any issues. Any time I had questions or concerns, I called the phone number and was able to get them answered.

Kelsie,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

Excellent communications. Our move was in NJ. They dropped off the pod as scheduled, picked it up as scheduled, moved it to the new location on the same day, and removed the empty pod as scheduled. Everything worked on time and smoothly. All communications were professional. Very pleased. We got a quote from PODs and PACK-RAT was not only more economical, they also committed to pick up and delivery of the filled pod on the same day. PODs gave us a delivery window of 4-7 business days.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Greetings Claudia, We are grateful and appreciate the time you took to leave your review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your experience with our team. We truly value your recommendation and are confident we can continue to provide excellent service in the future.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

I've relocated for work several times. I chose 1-800-Pack-Rat for my latest relocation from Jacksonville to Indianapolis. I couldn't have been happier with this choice. Their rates were competitive, everyone I spoke with was professional and polite, and the drivers that dropped / picked the containers were really nice as well. My container arrived early and my items had no damage. I would recommend this company for any long distance moves!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are so glad you had a great moving experience with us!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

DO NOT USE THIS MOVING COMPANY IF YOU EVER WANT TO SEE YOUR ITEMS AGAIN! Don’t be fooled by the great reviews at the corporate company website, GOOGLE YOUR LOCAL FACILITY WHERE YOUR ITEMS WILL BE STORED and you will read similar tales of woe to ours. If you have a time-sensitive move DO NOT use this company as I promise you they will surely delay your move as they did ours while constantly lying to you throughout.

When you reach out initially you’ll talk to a wonderful person at the corporate level who will probably throw you a discount, organize your initial pod drop off and pickup, and things will go smoothly. BUT ONCE they have your items, they will hold onto them to try to charge you more months of storage. The corporate team will miraculously be unable to reach the local facility manager where your items are stored and your life’s mission will now be to call them every day and be put on hold endless times without getting anything resolved. Long wait times, none of the 'escalation managers' have call-back numbers and if your call drops (which I feel like they did to get me off the phone) you'll have to wait 30+ mins to talk to someone again.

We flew to our new home and were supposed to have our items delivered on a Friday. Luckily we called first thing when we landed that day for a status update as they won’t let you know when they delay your delivery. They moved it to the next day without telling us, saying they ‘are normally closed but were doing spillover deliveries as they were too busy Friday to get to ours.’ Then the next day when we were waiting for our pod in our empty house they admitted to blatantly lying to us and said they ‘weren’t able to get in touch with the manager at the local facility.’ So then we had to wait a few more days (mind you we just flew to our new home and have nothing as it is all in the pod) until the next available delivery slot which happened to be Tuesday only because that’s when our pod was supposed to be picked up so there was ‘room in the schedule’.

They assured us we’d be the first delivery on Tuesday and of course, there was a ‘system error’ that removed us from the initial delivery list oh and THEN there was a ‘truck issue’ that caused a further delay or as the 'escalation manager' (who can do nothing to help you besides put you on hold) said ‘a perfect storm of minor inconveniences.’ Once again, for the 5th day in a row I am being told ‘yes your items will be delivered today at a later time’ but we all know that won't happen. The ‘escalation managers’ are absolutely useless and there’s no one higher up to speak to that can help or do anything besides try to call the local managers who seem to ignore corporate. When it comes to compensating you for your troubles, you'll have to beg and all they can do is take off a ~$50 pod pickup charge.

5 days later we STILL don’t have our pod and who knows if we’ll ever get it. I will make it my new personality to ensure no one uses this absolute trash company of liars.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We appreciate Ms. Maher providing us with additional feedback and information. A member of our Resolution Team has spoken with dispatch and provided Arlette with an update in regards to the pick-up.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

From the first call, staff were professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Able to answer all questions relevant to my long distance move. Drop off and pick up staff kept me informed of arrival times as promised. Website was easy to navigate and make changes as needed.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hello Heather, We are so glad you had a great moving experience with us!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2023

We used to Pack Rat to move long distance to another state and everything went fine. The container was big enough for all our stuff and with the swinging doors give us a little more room to stack stuff higher toward the ceiling. We only had one hiccup where there was a delayed pickup that we weren't notified about. Other than that I would highly recommend using pack rat.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information