1.9/5 (144 ratings)

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT provides moving and storage services nationwide, offering steel, weatherproof storage containers in three sizes that you pack at your own pace. The company has local and long-distance moving options, or you can use storage services only. 1-800-PACK-RAT services 97% of the United States, according to its website, and promises 100% customer satisfaction.

Pros

• Online account management
  • Pack at your own pace
  • Customer satisfaction promise

Cons

• Pricing unavailable online
  • Storage facilities not in all states

Bottom Line

1-800-PACK-RAT delivers steel, weatherproof containers to your home so you can pack for a local or long-distance move or store belongings. Customers can request a quote by filling out a form on the website.

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT offers local and long-distance moving services, along with storage. The company delivers storage containers to your home or business, and you can pack at your own pace. When you’re ready, the company picks up the containers for transport to another location or storage at one of its more than 65 secure warehouses. You can choose from multiple Contents Protection Plans to insure your belongings. 1-800-PACK-RAT also makes it possible to schedule pickup and drop-off dates and update billing information online with its My PackRat account management tool.

What services does 1-800-PACK-RAT offer?

With 1-800-PACK-RAT, you can choose local moving, long-distance moving, storage or a combination of these services. 1-800-PACK-RAT offers three sizes of steel, weatherproof moving containers for delivery: 8-foot (holds about one to two rooms of furniture), 12-foot (holds about two to three rooms of furniture) and 16-foot (holds about three to four rooms of furniture). You can take as much time to pack as you need. 1-800-PACK-RAT then picks up the containers and transports them to the new location or to one of its secure storage facilities. You can also keep a container on your property for storage as long as you need it.

1-800-PACK-RAT usually delivers containers within 48 hours. Local move times depend on the season and the location. Long-distance moves under 1,500 miles take up to 10 business days, and moves over 1,500 miles take 10 to 14 business days. 1-800-PACK-RAT also ships moving supplies and offers Contents Protection Plans to cover your possessions.

1-800-PACK-RAT costs

1-800-PACK-RAT provides free online quotes. Fill out a form on the company website to begin the quote process. You can select moving, storage or both moving and storage. The quote will include monthly rental cost, total due at delivery and estimated future transportation costs. To arrange a long-distance move with 1-800-PACK-RAT, you may need to speak to a representative over the phone.

For local moves and storage, the company charges you for rental and delivery once it delivers the empty container. You pay for transportation and pickup fees as they occur. Storage fees are charged on a monthly basis.

For long-distance moves, 1-800-PACK-RAT charges a $500 deposit five days before delivery of the empty container. The remaining balance is due before transport to the final destination.

1-800-PACK-RAT FAQ

What size storage container do I need from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
The company offers a helpful space calculator on its company website to help you figure out how many and what size storage containers you need. An 8-foot container typically holds one to two rooms of furniture, a 12-foot container holds two to three rooms of furniture, and a 16-foot container holds about three to four rooms of furniture.
Are my belongings secure in a storage unit from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
Storage containers are made from steel and have barn-style doors that lock. The containers are weatherproof and designed to prevent moisture absorption. During pickup and delivery, the loading mechanism keeps the container level to minimize movement of contents inside. For maximum protection, customers should consider purchasing a 1-800-PACK-RAT Contents Protection Plan, which provides coverage up to $75,000.
Where is 1-800-PACK-RAT located?
1-800-PACK-RAT is based in Wake Forest, North Carolina. The company has more than 65 storage facilities across the U.S. and services 97% of the country.
How long does it take to get a container from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
1-800-PACK-RAT states that in most cases it can deliver an empty container within 48 hours. The delivery time varies based on the date and location.

Do we recommend 1-800-PACK-RAT?

1-800-PACK-RAT is a good option if you don’t need a full-service moving experience or you’re looking for off-site storage. The company drops off containers at your home or business, and you can pack and load items at your convenience. It then picks up the containers for local or long-distance transport or delivery to one of its storage facilities. Some companies offer similar services, so be sure to get quotes and compare overall value before moving forward.

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: May 10, 2022

I first contacted a Business Development Specialist (salesperson) in mid-February two months before I required a container. She was very nice and provided a prompt quote for my needs by the next day. Issue #1: Immediately after receiving the email quote I started receiving text messages and calls to my phone to call an 800 number about my quote.

Not just one, but up to five every 24 hr. period. Thinking something was wrong I called and was put through to the regular sales line where a random salesperson picked up. I explained I’m getting all these urgent text messages about my quote and they said “yea they’re just reminders”. I emailed the salesperson back and said this is a good way to “lose” customers rather than gaining. Who came up with “this” system? Badgering after a quote is agreed on? She offered to take my phone number off the system and this stopped the spamming.

Issue #2: Near the end of March, now one month before the move, I checked in again by trying to call her as she said to contact her directly in her previous email. Her email signature closing includes her number and extension. When I call I get “this extension is no longer in use”. Ok, not a big deal but it just adds to the growing list. We speak through email and I find out that quotes are only good for 7 days. Ok, I will call and place the order within 7 days of my requirement. In the meantime, I’m offered a “My PackRat account” with a login ID and password. I try logging in and the “copy and pasted” password is rejected.

It’s now the last week of April, five days before I require the container. I waited so the quote would remain valid through the 7-day limit. I call and get a random sales associate and put my order in referring to all the details I’d gone through over the past two months. We agreed on the Friday of this week I would receive a 16 ft container by 10 AM.

I gave her my Credit card and received a confirmation email. Two days later I noticed while reviewing the confirmation that the destination address didn’t have a name, instead the street address was repeated on two lines. Not wanting to have a problem with the delivery I called back to get this corrected. Once again a random sales associate (no way to talk to the same person) checked it and it was correct in the “system” but for some reason not in my email confirmation.

Issue #3: When I said I was looking forward to receiving the container this Friday the salesperson said “I don’t see that your order is in”, What???? “Yes there’s a quote but there's no order to deliver”. I said, “You've got to be kidding!" She entered the order and I said, “I’m sure glad I called”. It’s now Friday morning 8 AM, I’m on site waiting for the container that’s scheduled to be delivered before 10 AM. I have to leave for the airport by 2 pm to fly out of state so time is critical. 10:00 comes and goes and no container, I’m not surprised at this point the way everything else has gone so far. My phone has been on and there’s been no calls from the driver. I don’t have my computer but only a smartphone now so I bring up the website and see a chatbox.

Issue #4: “I hope you’re ready for this one.” I put my name in and a person comes back right away. I typed my order number and explained that the container is late and I’ve heard nothing from the local company. The person types back that the order reads “anytime delivery”. What???? I typed back “you've got to be kidding!" (This phrase is starting to take on a life of its own). In the middle of this an apparent automated response comes up that reads “We haven’t heard from you in a while, do you want to continue this chat?” I look at the previous message timestamp and it's only 1 minute old. This deserves an issue of its own so we’ll make this #5.

The person types back that they will try to find out what the schedule looks like for the driver that’s supposed to be delivering. As I’m typing back my issue with time today, a message comes over the top that says “We haven’t heard from you in a while, would you like to start a new chat session?” And with that, I’m cut off, literally 60 seconds since the last message! Who would put a stopwatch function on a customer service chat window? Especially when you’re trying to type each word on a phone. I want to talk to “THAT” person! It’s now 11:30 and I get on the phone, a random salesperson picks up and once again I go through my whole story.

Issue #6 (wait for it… here it comes.) He explains that there’s three time windows you can choose from; morning, afternoon or late afternoon/evening. There’s a $50 charge to make a selection, otherwise to save the $50 you can choose “anytime”. “I don’t care about the $50.” I said, “Why did three previous salespeople not tell me about this?” “Why am I only hearing this today after it's too late? Why did the last person select “anytime” when I clearly said 10 AM or earlier? The salesperson had no good reasons for any of this and I think he sympathized with me. So on top of not knowing about a preferred time of delivery that I could have chosen, and not receiving a call from the person who’s supposed to be delivering today even just to tell me “anything” about a possible time, the salesperson now gives me the grand finale; issue #6.

He says it appears there’s a problem with the dispatch yard that services this area and no containers are available today, perhaps next week. There’s a long silence on the phone, I’m thinking to myself “I’ve been dealing with this company for two months setting this up, they know it's not a simple house move across town that could be done “anytime” but instead a cross-country move that requires coordination between the pickup location and drop off and it's now come down to this… No container and I have to leave the location where my stuff is in just two hours”. At least there wasn’t a 60 sec. timer this time because it was probably a whole minute before I composed myself to came back with a response. “So what am I supposed to do?” I said.

He again stated perhaps next week they can get one here. I said I would have to put my things in storage but with only two hours even that’s going to be a challenge because my parcel is over 2000 lbs. He offered to cancel the order and there would be no charge (Oh that’s nice to know). Ultimately I was able to arrange alternate shipping that same day and confirmed with Pack-Rat over another call that I wished to cancel the order. The salesperson confirmed that it was cancelled and asked for a reason for the cancellation. “Wow, where do I begin” I said. I tried my best to do a 60 sec. synopsis of this whole mess and when finished she had the nerve to say “So the company did not meet your expectations”.

I couldn’t believe it, she tried to make this sound like it was “my” fault. That “my” expectations were too high to expect not even one out of three salespeople could tell me that I have an option to select a time of day if I need a specific time even though I said I did. And I’m expecting too much for my order to be placed into the system even after I pay with a credit card and we both agree to a drop-off time and location. And I’m expecting too much to receive a phone call when no container is available on the day of delivery, instead, I have to call. All I can say is “WOW”. This company completely dropped the ball and lost a $2700 sale for what should have been a very simple transaction. Buyer beware.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are so sorry to hear that you encountered so many problems, Wayne. This is not the type of service that we work hard to provide our customers, and we apologize that you did not have a good experience. We do appreciate you speaking with a member of our Resolution Team to go over the situation and to allow us to get a better understanding of what happened. Thank you so much for providing such detailed feedback as we work to improve in these areas.

Original review: April 7, 2022

1-800-Pack Rat billed our credit card $700 over the quoted price of the move. I went online to look at the billing on my account however they do not post any detailed billing in your account info. So I contacted an agent by phone and I was informed that it was an error, and they would credit my account with the $700. Not seeing the credit after a couple weeks, I called back 2 more times and was told the same thing by different agents. After another 2 weeks I contacted the company via on line chat. I was told there would not be any refund because the $700 was for an expedited delivery (which I did not request). They said the agents were confused...?

Then I was told I was not actually charged for an expedited delivery but there would be no refund because the charges were for the fuel surcharge. I was well aware of this possibility but was not informed in any way that my card would be automatically charged for any amount. Nor was I provided an itemized breakdown of the additional costs before my card was charged. I have been told I need to wait a couple of business days to see the itemized receipt. At this time, I waiting to see that itemized bill to understand how it totals $700.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the confusion with billing and the frustration this caused our customer. A member of our Resolution Team was able to speak with Louis to discuss our billing policies and provide an itemized receipt. We appreciate the feedback as we are always striving to provide the best possible experience for our customers.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Updated on 3/2/2022: Someone did call... and offered to help get the container delivered. All I wanted was the costs so I can make a decision that's best for my son. The options seem to be to pay for the "long-distance" delivery or drive a truck to the facility and empty the container. We are exploring the options. That your customer service people can't tell you what a particular warehouse's delivery area is is a bad thing. This should be known and should be published to customers BEFORE they lease a container. You guys are not making this easy.

Original review: I rented from PackRat for my son when moving out of college. He wasn't sure where he would go next (same city or different city). Not a problem says PackRat... They lie. It's a big huge expensive problem. If you want the container delivered to a different city, you would expect them to quote you some changes, but have the ability to make it happen. No, they do not. You have to get the container delivered to the "service area" of the warehouse storing the container. Now, ask them to tell you what that "service area" is, what zip codes, and THEY CAN'T TELL YOU. So you never know if moving across town, to a new town, or across the street if you will be able to get your stuff. So now the only resource is to hire a truck and go to their warehouse to get the stuff and drive away. For this, you are still paying HUNDREDS of dollars in fees.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are truly sorry for the lack of clarity regarding our delivery zones during the ordering process and for the additional stress this has caused Mr. Mark and his son. We appreciate him communicating with us in order to go over all the options and find a solution. We hope the rest of the move goes smoothly.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

Our experience with Pack Rat was a nightmare. They misled us and it ended up costing us $700.00 more for a move we explained to them was happening once we purchased a home. They informed us that the call was recorded so they could go back and check. They did that; confirmed we mentioned the move, but still said we waited too long and that we would have to pay additional $. These folks are crooks - stay away

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Charged a similar price to a full moving company ($6500 vs. $8000) to go 452 miles, but still lost track of the 16' container so took 9 extra days to get it. They only offered a small $50/day refund BUT, except for one unfriendly driver, they were all friendly to deal with. Bring the logistical side up to the level of the customer service side and this would be a great company IF you can afford them.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the delays that our customer experienced and the issues this caused. A member of our Resolution Team has looked into the situation and has processed compensation for the appropriate amount. We greatly appreciate the helpful feedback that was provided as we are always working to improve our services.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

We recently hired ZippyShell (1-800 PackRAT) to move our goods from Denver, CO to South Lake Tahoe, CA. To saw we've been disappointed is an absolute understatement... we hired ZippyShell to pack and pick up our goods in Denver, CO as it was a rental and our tenant was moving out. We filled out the bill of materials to pickup and the sales individual was very helpful.

We then got a call from our tenant the day of moving that the mover did not show up with any moving blankets (which we have a recording of the sales individual saying that they would show up with packing material ie tape, boxes, etc). Our real estate agent helped us in a big way and ran to Home Depot to supply zippy shell with all of those items. Later, we got a call from our tenant stating that the mover forgot ALL of our porch furniture and a TV hanging on the wall (all of which were signed off on by the movers that they had packed). I called ZippyShell and they said they'd send the movers out the next day to grab the TV & the porch furniture as the shell was still in Denver... This pickup never happened either- we had to end up giving the buyers of the home the porch furniture ($700) and TV ($650).

Things got worse.... When I met ZippyShell to unload the shell in October, I was met by very friendly (3rd party) movers. As they were unloading, they mentioned our $1600 Dining Room Table had a bunch of scratches and was chipped based on the way it was poorly packaged into the ZippyShell... They said take pictures ASAP and send in to 1-800-packrat. Upon unboxing everything else, we noticed that they Scratched/cracked our 85" TV ($2000) and completely scraped a mattress to the point that it tore. (We have photos from our tenant the day of loading showing that these items were in pristine condition so that he received his damage deposit back.)

We submitted the claim to ZippyShell on Oct 19th, 2021 and they claimed it would take 90 DAYS!!! No one ever came to look at the items for the claim or contacted us. Keep in mind we PAID for their moving insurance as well... Following this, we received an email from their claims dept on Dec 31, 2021 stating that they wished to offer us $575.15 vs the claimed amount of $5,534.34. When we said we want to appeal their claim decision, we received the below email: "The 1-800-Pack-Rat Zippy Shell claims department has received notice of your desire to file an appeal regarding the determination provided on your claim. The claim will be re-evaluated by our leadership team and a final determination will be provided within 7-10 business days." Since then, we have received no correspondence from Zippyshell and it's been over a MONTH!!!

We are going to spend the $$ to make sure that this company makes this right for us. We want to make sure we leave this review EVERYWHERE we possibly can to warn individuals from using Zippyshell (AKA PackRat). We are in discussions with attorneys and will be approaching ZippyShell ASAP with legal action should we not hear back from them in 48hrs of our last email. BEWARE!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

The claims team advised due to the circumstances surrounding the incident, 1-800-Pack-Rat could not accept full liability for the damages sustained to the property. We apologize for the damages incurred and will take the feedback into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience going forward. Despite the initial determination made on the claim, our team is currently in the process of working with the claimant to arrive at an agreeable resolution concerning this matter

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

Buyer Beware. We booked a container on 1/21/22 for 1/28/22. I got a confirming email that the container would be delivered on 1/28 22. I confirmed the delivery of the container on 1/27/22 (no problems). On 1/28/22 I reconfirmed in the morning. (No Problem). I was told the container could be delivered up until 11PM and that I would be notified an Hour before. By 2PM was getting nervous so I called again to reconfirm. I was told that the delivery date was moved to 1/31/22. I went ballistic. Mind you no one called me with this information. 1/31/22 was worthless to me. I asked to speak to a supervisor who proceeded to tell me she didn't know what happened. I was beside myself at this point but I know this is not her fault so I tempered my response.

This is a management issue and we cannot take this out on employees of a badly run company. The supervisor told me she needed to find out what happened. I told her I would stay on the line. She informed me that she is required to email the facility to get an answer. Do you believe this? In the end no one called me back. I advise you to look elsewhere for this service. You don't know if they will ever show up. Now I know what kind of response this review will get. Owner: "I'm sorry this happened to you...Blah...Blah...Blah." Again, Buyer beware.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Ray, unfortunately, due to severe inclement weather, we were unable to deliver the container on your original date. We are deeply sorry for the problems and hardship this caused you. We regret that we were unable to provide you with a seamless move. Thank you for sharing your feedback as we are always working to improve.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

We had a complicated move from a house in OR to an apartment in AZ and finally a house in AZ. So that meant multiple containers that went to different locations (smaller one went to apartment, then 6 months later the 16 ft went to the house). We were in the apt looking for a house, so needed some things not everything. The 16 ft remained in storage. We were able to go to the PHX warehouse (drive inside where it was cool in August), consolidate what we didn't need in the apt into the 16 ft (because who packs perfectly the first time) and then go on our way. The 16 ft was delivered last week and picked up on time. The containers must be handled carefully because after 7 mos., our belongings were in perfect shape the way we packed them. The price was reasonable, customer service was great - I couldn't be happier.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Alex, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

1800 Packrat is the worst company that I have conducted business with. First, the company's prices are not competitive as PODS has lower prices, and they refuse to price match. Second, they are crooks and only care about money. I rented one of their storage containers and held it in their storage facility. I paid $422 monthly for this service. I began storing my items on July 1, 2021. On December 30, 2021, I asked that the company deliver my container to my new community. I was unsure whether I would empty the container but paid the fee to temporarily deliver it to my property. We had a snowstorm and bad weather that delayed the company's pick-up. Ultimately, I emptied out the container and asked them to pick it up from my property on 01/05/2022. I also asked for a partial refund of the storage fees since I had stored my container/items for 01/2022, but they refused.

My container was on my property since 12/30/2021. 1800 Packrat was closed from 12/31/2021 - 01/03/2021, so they could not pick up my container. Additionally, the bad snowstorms caused the delay in them picking up the container timely. The packrat customer service team is rude and unprofessional. They are also heartless and money-hungry and only cared about charging me for a full month of storage that I had not used. They refused to refund even a partial amount of the fees. I hate this company and will never do business with them again. They are unscrupulous and greedy. Fast forward to yesterday and they charged me another $87, for which I am not sure about. They are criminals and should be sued out of oblivion. They siphoned over $500 in fees from me for January for a container they have in their possession, which I am sure they will rent it out if someone needed it. They are corrupt and have no conscience. Very unethical company.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for any billing miscommunications and for any added stress this has caused. A member of our billing team has discussed the billing process with the customer and due to the scheduling of the final pickup being after the rental date, we were unable to waive the charge in this situation.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2022

DO NOT USE this company's service under any circumstance. I wish I could rate in negative. Even one star is way too high for the service they deliver (better say not deliver). I wish I had checked the reviews other than they provided on their website and never made this mistake of choosing them. Don't waste your time and money. JUST find any other moving/storage company out there to save you from all the trouble they can cause and they never hold themselves responsible for any word they promised. I needed storage for a month and moving was local < 20 mile in MA. Date finalized a quote: Nov 3rd, 2021

1) Getting quote/scheduling --> pretty straightforward, I have to admit they were very pleasant and responsive till the end of this part. Once you shared your credit card information and booked then it will take forever to reach out to them over the phone and I have a screenshot of my cell phone for how long they keep me waiting on hold till someone respond, still the representatives are not very helpful at all, they keep sending you from service to billing back and forth and funny while they are doing it they are asking if there is anything else they can help me with, well- you didn't help at all in the first place for one thing you are responsible to do, why keep asking this Q!

-- I was initially told by (Zack) the driver's working time is between 7 am till 5 pm. I was told the drop off is between 7 am to 1 pm on the scheduled date for my address (if there is a delay, it won't be past 5 pm). This time frame was working well for me, so I didn't pay extra 50$ to fix it a AM or PM delivery.

-- Emails with the details of the plan and charges sent over me and asked me to create an account, for any possible changes I can do it myself (it never worked, so I had to call them over and over and after long holds, they can find other available time for you.

It is a delivery day and no show up, all my unit stuff moved to the front of the complex and we kept waiting, after 1 pm when they didn't show up and didn't even care to communicate that on Saturday Nov 27, I called and was told the driver will be there between 3:45 -7:45pm and they send a message to the facility to let them know that we are waiting. It was cold and we were tired and had to ask the mover to leave as it was passed their time. Called them at 7:30, I was told there is no delivery for that day and they actually working from 7 am till 10 pm so no other driver can do it for that day! Shocked by the way they respond and never apologize for all inconveniences- After complaining this issue with the manager "Carlos"- he said he will send an email and try to see if they can deliver it tomorrow but no definite time frame provided. I had to leave my stuff in front of the complex overnight hoping nothing will happen!

In the morning I called 5 times to make sure they will have the delivery for that day as my lease ended and I couldn't stay longer in there. Now I scheduled the drop off the container that they stored in their facility for a month to the new address. While we are waiting in the new apartment, after we were told that it's on schedule for today they didn't show up and once we called them again- they said their facility is not working that day.

I had to extend my stay in the hotel as I don't have access to my stuff to stay in the new apartment. And Of course they don't try to make it up for the next day delivery, they told us they don't have access to the facility plan and had to schedule it to MONDAY! Another 3 nights added to my bill staying in the hotel plus forgetting that I paid the mover to unload my container in advance and have to pay them again for rescheduling it for another day! So RUN from this company!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are deeply sorry for the delay in delivering the container and for the hardships this caused. We can confirm that a member of our Resolution Team is now in direct contact and is working to get this resolved as soon as possible. The container has now been delivered and a team member will be working with Sara to provide the appropriate amount of compensation. We appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to make this right.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information