2.64/5
Based on 11 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

11 1-800-PACK-RAT Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 29, 2018

I should have checked reviews BEFORE scheduling. In May, 2018, I scheduled a container to be delivered in about two weeks. The container arrived on time, and the driver was very professional and helpful. He explained how to pack and other details. The last thing he said before he left was, "Just call when you're ready to have it picked up, and be sure it's locked."

Five days later, I called to have it picked up. No one took my call so I left a message to be called back. No one called back. Later that day I called again to find out what was going on. It was at that point I was told my container could not be picked up for A WHOLE WEEK. They claimed they ask customers to give them 7-10 days notice, but nowhere in any of the emails they sent was there any mention of needing advanced notice. Besides, the driver had personally told me to "CALL WHEN I WAS READY TO HAVE IT PICKED UP." There was no mention of my needing to call in advance. Had he said so, I would have immediately scheduled a pickup. I knew it wouldn't take more than a week to pack, so that would have worked out.

When I asked to be connected to a supervisor, the person told me there was nothing that anyone could do. I had to get rather testy just to be transferred to someone claiming to be a supervisor. Unfortunately, that just got me the runaround, "I'm terribly sorry, but there is nothing we can do." I don't know about you, but I really hate it when a company claims they CAN'T do something, when the truth is they WON'T do it. 1-800-PACK-RAT will have my container for several months while my new home is being built. You would think with so much money to be made from my continued business, they would be more cooperative. NO SUCH LUCK. ONCE 1-800-PACK-RAT HAS YOUR MONEY, YOU'RE AT THEIR MERCY.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Pack Rat driver caused $1,500 in damages to my driveway when removing the container and Pack Rat will not pay for the repair. I was told that it was my responsibility to tell the driver how to remove the container. I am not a truck driver. Ridiculous.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Working with the claims department to resolve my stolen property is like playing a game of chess. Customer service and drivers are very kind and helpful. I made the required police report but PackRat will not provide me an itinerary of where my pod was each day that it was out of my possession. The police have asked me for this and the company is unhelpful in providing it. When I asked about the video monitoring they were upset and equally unhelpful. As I write this review the issue is still not resolved. They take no responsibility whatever for my belongings while in their care. READ The Fine Print on the contract. I actually cannot find anything on there that they do take responsibility for. They emphasize all the positive things they claim they can do for you but zoom over the caveats.

For instance, the 10,000 dollars of free insurance is only offered for the first 30 days. If it takes a week or more to get the pod loaded on a truck and traveling, which it often does, then a large piece of your 30 days is used. My monetary loss is more than 10,000 dollars. Since they will not provide me the information about the pod itinerary, I cannot tell how long it sat before leaving, how long it took to arrive or how long it sat at the arrival warehouse. Another instance is the lack of information provided on the security measures utilized by the pod drivers. They claim that they provide a no cut lock. Mine was cut off. They claim that the pods are kept indoors in a locked secure facility with 24/7 video monitoring, My pod was not secured that way. So the chess game continues.

Original review: April 24, 2018

When I called to schedule the drop off of the pod at a storage facility the day I wanted to schedule was full. They offered to drop off the next day A.M. delivery but would not waive the $50.00 fee even though they could not accommodate me on the day I needed it. Talked to a supervisor with no success. Very bad business practice! The least they could have done was waive the $50.00 for not being able to drop it when I wanted it dropped. I will be moving in less than a year again and will not be using PACK-RAT. Failure to waive a lousy $50.00 fee has cost them a lot more.

Original review: April 10, 2018

This company’s customer service has been absolutely awful. I was hesitant about using them in the first place since I’ve always been a PODS customer however PODS didn’t service my location. I will never use Pack-Rat again. Their customer service representatives have no idea what they are talking about or even how to use those systems. I have called 3 times to set up my long distance move and they still don’t have my order correct. I was told that it would take 10 business days to get my unit delivered to my new apartment (moving from Indiana to Rhode Island). Now I am being told that it takes 10 business days to get it to their closest location and then it can be delivered. When I moved from New Jersey to Indiana using PODS it took them a week and at $1000 less.

I have asked Pack-Rat numerous times for a detailed invoice and they have yet to be able to send one. The first invoice was one line with incorrect amount and the 2nd is the correct amount with one line. They were also unable to enter in my phone number correctly or enter the date that I want the empty unit picked up. I will never use this company again and would never recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

It's moving day and Pack Rat came to pick up our box and take it to our new house. The owner of the house we're moving to had 2 PackRat boxes in the driveway. The new house owner had her boxes scheduled to be moved to storage on the same day. The driver got to the destination with our box and saw two boxes in the way. So the driver put the box on the street.

My wife asked that he put our box in the driveway. He said he would after the two trucks he was pointing to coming down the street removed the two from the driveway. My wife left to get another load. PackRat removed the two boxes from the driveway but left ours in the street. So I called and asked that they return and move it into the driveway. They wanted to CHARGE me for an additional reposition fee and same day fee. I argued with them for 2 hours and Pack Rat would not waive the move fee. They actually said that I was responsible for ensuring that the driveway was clear and they could position the box. Only PackRat could have cleared the driveway. They simply didn't do it. Go somewhere else.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I like that they were informative and patient. The delivery and pick up of the containers was on time. The driver and customer service were very courteous. They were honest and extremely helpful throughout the whole process and answered all the question professionally. The help made the move a breeze. Even the driver was patient when problem arised since I forgot about the height of the tree, but the driver took time to figure it out. It was positive from the beginning to end of the move.

Original review: July 13, 2017

1-800-PACK-RAT has very good customer service and very helpful through the whole process even when you were done. Their customer service is the best. The process was very easy and fast and they are there every single minute. I thought it was going to be hard and cost a lot of money but it was not. Very reasonable. I like the services and they make sure you are happy and do not need help with anything else. I love how they treat you like family and are there to answer any questions or help with.

Original review: July 9, 2017

The container was picked up and moved by a friendly driver. Everything in the container was intact and nothing was missing. They were very understanding. I’ve only ordered one container, didn’t realize that it was not enough but they made accommodations by sending me the second one the same day. Easy to move since you get to load your containers at your own pace at your home. However, I had some issues with them getting the right size container, so I would double check and order a few days ahead just to make sure they have the right one and it’s available.

Also, I had to double check the dates a few times before the pod was delivered to ensure that they had the right dates. You can’t schedule the time the day before, but must wait for the driver to call you that morning of the day of delivery. I had to correct the dates, but everyone makes mistakes so I would just suggest double checking a week in advance. The move went smoothly and everything was intacted and nothing missing. You get to load the pods in front of your home so that made it easy. Overall PackRat was good and it was a good moving experience for the price and will use again.

Original review: July 8, 2017

1-800-PACK-RAT is a brand I trust and I am willing to pay more for. It is available everywhere and I feel good about giving to my family. It sufficiently protected the floor from further damage, which I learned from a truck driver does sometimes occur when the containers are moved around improperly with forklifts at some Lowe's store locations that partner up with PackRat. I liked looking for a specific brand of product(s), liked the availability of product warranty services, and is an expert on porcelain products. It also offers exceptional customer service when needed. It's a brand that supports my community and distinct from other brands in this category. I also like it when people see that I own products of this brand and is widely recommended. However, I dislike the ability to use and/or participate in loyalty program.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Moving is stressful to begin with but 1-800-PACK-RAT took some of this away. They were very accommodating and everyone was helpful from the first contact to delivery. The drivers who did the initial delivery were the most awesome, incredible drivers ever. It was probably the most technically difficult delivery they had ever done, and they did it well. We were so impressed. The customer service was also great - no long holds on the phone. All the reps were accommodating. 1-800-PACK-RAT beat the competitor's price when I told the rep what quote I had received from someone else.

However, I paid for my unit thru the first of November, $251.00... and then had to pay $32.00 for you to deliver unit on October 11, 2016 so as I could empty it... then had to pay another $70.00 for you to pick it up empty on October 13, 2016. I will receive no refund on my partial monthly rental payment and I am very dissatisfied with this. But, it was a great experience! I would highly recommend 1-800-PACK-RAT to anyone packing their own items, and would use them again myself.

1-800-PACK-RAT expert review by ConsumerAffairs

1-800-PACK-RAT is a portable storage and moving company capable of local and long distance moving. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.

• Moving needs: 1-800-PACK-RAT offers local, long distance and military moving. They offer 8-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot containers depending on the consumer’s needs. Consumers can pack at their own pace or consult with a professional laborer.

• Security: A no-cut security lock is provided as well as $10,000 in content protection for free. The consumer may purchase other content protection plans as well.

• Storage solutions: All containers are weatherproof to help prevent mold and mildew making them great for seasonal storage. Storage facilities are monitored 24/7 and are climate controlled.

• Military moving: For military members choosing a do-it-yourself move or personally procured move (PPM), 1-800-PACK-RAT will provide empty and full PPM weight tickets. The government will reimburse 95 percent of the cost for a PPM move.

• Service areas: 1-800-PACK-RAT has locations in the United States and Canada. Consumers can go online to view a full list of cities. Each facility provides moving and storage services within approximately 50-100 miles of that facilities location.

• Best for: Consumers looking for local, long distance and military moves as well as business and residential storage needs.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs