Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.93/5

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: April 9, 2021

I had a long distance move from Michigan to Washington state (**). At opening I was told my total was $3531 (after 15% discount, $4225 before discount). I asked if there were any other fees and was told no. I asked if the rental fee was included in the $3531 and was told it was. I was told I had the option to pay that rental fee at delivery and the remaining at pickup or pay the entire $3531 at pickup. I paid the rental fee of $284.68 on 3/14. I called after receiving our container about it having holes in it and weather stripping hanging. I was offered a $50 refund for that. I never received the refund, but according to customer service it shows in my account. If you calculate my fees, there is no refund. Then on Friday (3/19) I received a bill for $4223.91. I called and was told there is a gas fee of $672, that was never mentioned by any of the multiple people I've spoken with since opening my account. I was offered a 50% discount off the gas fee from a manager.

I asked multiple people the same questions and all had said there were no additional fees, that $3531 was my total. On 3/30 I received a phone call telling me my container would be arriving late and would not be delivered until 4/6 (was scheduled for 4/2, a day after our arrival). I was offered $50 a day compensation. $50 a day is nothing compared to the amount of planning and stress that goes into moving across the country. We had everything planned out and now had wasted time with none of our belongings. On 4/6 I waited all day, with no phone calls or updates from anyone. I have called multiple times since then and spoken with supervisors saying they'll keep me updated, which has not happened.

It is now 4/9 and we still don't have our belongings, or an update of where our stuff even is. The driver left Chicago on 3/31 so our container should have been here. It does not take more than 4 days to drive across the country. The $50 a day does not replace items that we have had to repurchase, the stress this has caused, or lack of belongings in our home. We are now about to start new jobs, etc., and have items in the container that we NEED! I would not recommend 1-800-PACK-RAT, nor would I use it again in the future. There is a complete lack of communication in every aspect of the company. Supervisors have to email dispatch to get answers and clearly they do not respond. There is absolutely no reason the company cannot be in contact with their drivers at all times. I guess we should have put a tracker in our container so we could tell them where our stuff is. The whole situation is beyond unacceptable.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We can confirm that a manager has been in contact with the customer and that her unit has been delivered. The customer has also received additional compensation for the issues she has experienced. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Resolution response: April 11, 2021

It finally arrived. Everything inside the container is fine with no damage. Customer service is patient and polite when I called (tho I have to call three times to get an answer) but the logistics are horrible.

Original review: April 5, 2021

Worse company ever! We had a container pick up on 3/24 from New Jersey, which was supposed to deliver on the 4/3 to Florida, which we paid $500 to expedite. Today is 4/5, and I was just told the container is still in NJ, cuz they couldn't find a driver to do the delivery, and they still don't know when they will have a driver to do the job! Seriously!!!! How What the hell is this company still exist??

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Our Resolution Team has tried, unsuccessfully so far, to reach the customer regarding the delayed delivery; however, we can confirm the customer's unit has been delivered. If the customer would like to speak with us further regarding their issues, they can contact our Customer Service Team at 1 (800) 722-5728 or by emailing movinghelp@1800packrat.com. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we wor

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: April 7, 2021

Update: I was contacted by 1-800-Pack-Rat after my public reviews and confirm they refunded the remaining $100 of the overcharge. I appreciate that they did that.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I am having a serious problem with this company. They overcharged me $246.80 for a so-called fuel charge. This was never mentioned to me, is not part of my quote, and is not in my signed contract. I managed to get a refund of $146.80, but 1-800-Pack-Rat still owes me $100.00. The customer service team refuses to refund the rest of the money they stole from me. In addition, the customer service team has treated me rudely, and told me it is my fault that I did not know about the so-called fuel charge. This is simply NOT okay, nor is it good business practice. BEWARE - do not use this business because they will rip you off.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Jody, we apologize for this inconvenience. If you’d like to DM your contact information, we can have a team member follow up to investigate.

Original review: March 26, 2021

This company is dishonest and tries to nickel and dime you after the contract. Holds items hostage and I yet to receive my stuff. We moved across country. First we were not told we would receive a steel cage that is not enclosed. Secondly we were told we would be notified when our items were shipped. Even after we called never told our items shipped. Once we find out we call to get a schedule and notice 200 more on higher charges to our credit card. Told fuel surcharges even after the contract was agreed upon.

When we signed we were told at our destination they were running a special to send movers to help unpack included in price. When we schedule we are told 300 more for the movers. Let them know we don’t want movers then but told we have to have them they don’t drop off steel cage without them. I rented this cage for 189.00 that gives me a month but told movers must come to immediately unload cause they won’t leave the cage for me to unload. This company is Terrible! I have yet to receive my stuff and trying to get them to deliver!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Robert, we are sorry to hear this and would like to learn a little more about what is going on. Could you please provide your order number so we can look into this and follow up with you directly?

Original review: March 9, 2021

If I could give negative stars...I would. This was a nightmare. There were fundamental errors in multiple components of this transaction that has cost a bunch of time, money and energy. This was a state to state container relocation where we stored the container for about a month. On both ends of this move the container was not picked up nor delivered on the date that was requested weeks in advance. What this means is if you have a specific date you need to move by (as most people do) you CANNOT depend on this company. If you would like to schedule movers to unload your container, you also CANNOT depend on this company.

As they did not deliver a container, we were forced to rent a storage unit for a month and then hire movers to take the items from the storage unit to the new location in a different state where the first container had already been sent. The only container that made it was delivered a day late, promised to be delivered before my scheduled movers were coming and yet again...did not make it. I was notified of the delay of the container delivery at 7pm the night before.

They compensated a $100 deposit lost for movers that were unable to work as the container was not there. But my mom, on a fixed income has put out $1700+ for movers and $200 for a storage unit all because Pack Rat did not deliver the second unit at the date and time that I specifically asked (I had even paid the extra $50 to reserve AM which is a bit ridiculous). They told me to submit the expenses accrued via email and with the fastest response I have had in the entire interaction, said I did not give them the opportunity to make it right and reschedule the delivery...so it’s on me. I have worked with Pods before and it was night and day in terms of them doing what they actually say they are going to do it. Once your stuff is loaded up, you’re at their mercy...so good luck. Proceed with great caution.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Ashley, we are sorry to hear about the experience, and thank you for reaching out. Please provide your order number and the best contact number. We will ask a team member to investigate and follow up directly with you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

We rented a "pod" to store our belongings for six months before moving - paintings, clothing, boxes of personal papers and family history, records and tapes, and a recently refurbished Moog synthesizer. We paid extra for "inside storage" and waiver of their limited liability. When the pod was returned to us, everything inside was wet, covered in mold, and destroyed by high heat and humidity. There were even live insects in the pod. The company told us to file a claim, which we did. Despite follow up emails, never heard a single word from them. Not a single word. Still haven't.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Sidney, – unfortunately, we have not been able to locate your order based on the information we have at this time. If you could update your post with more information, such as your quote or order number, we will look into this right away and follow up with you directly. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

My daughter was moving from Dallas to Portland. Pack Rat stated delivery would be on 1/9 in Portland. My son and I flew to Portland to help my daughter unload her container. On the morning of 1/9 we called to get an estimated time of delivery that day only to find out the container was actually still en route and would be delivered 1/11 at the earliest. Not once did someone call and reach out saying the delivery date was changed. So not only did I waste money on flights and hotel for nothing, but also had to hire a moving company as I had to fly back home on 1/10. Pack Rat does not realize when they give a stated delivery date, lots of things are scheduled around that stated delivery date. I've used Pack Rat 5 times in the past without any issues and now I won't use them ever again.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Our senior leadership team has successfully made contact with Mr. Cato & listened to his concerns regarding the tardiness of his delivery & the conflicts that ensued thereafter. We have reached an amicable resolution that has been agreed to by both parties. Leadership will reach out to all parties associated with the customer's experience to ensure all appropriate coaching and next steps are communicated.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Pack-Rat picked up pod on 12.8.2020 in CT and was going to deliver to storage in Wake Forest, NC. On 12.12.2020, we contacted them to confirm the pod was en-route and to schedule the final delivery (from storage in NC to new home). The rep stated the pod was en route to NC and scheduled 12.29.2020 as our delivery day. We received an email on 12.27.2020 and called Pack-Rat again to find out why we received the email, confirmed that the pod was still "en-route" to NC and would arrive at our home on 12.29.2020. This morning (12.29.2020) we called to find out the time of the delivery to our home and were told they could not find our pod and someone would call us back. We received a call back stating our pod had never been en-route to begin with and was sitting in a storage facility back in CT. Absolutely unacceptable. They provided a "sorry" and partial refund. Told us the est arrival of the pod would be January 6th. We want a full refund and our pod delivered expeditiously.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the difficulties the customer experienced and can assure the customer that this situation has been thoroughly reviewed. We have provided the customer with a refund and confirmed the delivery date with the customer. We appreciate the feedback and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

If you want to add 100x more stress to your move, this company should be your first choice. Everything seemed fine through the booking process – the representative was helpful and even beat a price I received from a competitor. I did have concerns since the street we live on is very narrow and, to drop off the container, we had to save parking spots across from the driveway with our cars to make sure their truck could drop off and pick up the container, but it was really our only option. The drop-off went fine, but everything went downhill on the pick-up.

We received conflicting time windows from their main HQ and the driver who called us in the morning. A driver came by three hours early without calling us in advance, a call we were waiting for in order to put last-minute things in the pod that could be damaged by the heat. That driver said he was filling in for his friend, whose truck had broken down, and they would come back around at the time they had originally told us. Guess what, no one ever came back! When I called HQ, they said we were still on the schedule and would call us back when they learned more. No call. I called their HQ the next morning, the day we were scheduled to leave for our cross-country move, and they told us we had missed the window and couldn't pick up the container until the following week.

We called multiple times over the next couple of days and dealing with their customer service was like banging our heads against the wall. There is no real communication between their office in North Carolina and the facilities so, even though we received different information from their driver about our pick-up, there was no record of that information, which meant we were blamed for the pick-up issue. We had to stay in our apartment for an additional week, incurring extra rent expenses, and had to change all of our cross-country plans. And, when the driver finally came to pick up the container, he texted me that he was unable to access it because of the car across the street and that he would try again later – that was MY CAR saving the spot for him! Thankfully, I ran outside before he took off!

To add insult to injury, when they charged me, they added a surprise $400 fee, which increased the price to what their competitor was going to charge me, who I wish we had gone with. Another hour on the phone and they dropped the charge. Long story long, if you are considering this company for any reason, DON'T DO IT. All of the reviews about their horrendous customer service are true so save yourself the stress and go with another company even if it costs more.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Our Resolution Team has spoken with the customer and we can confirm that their refund has processed. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

In June of 2020 I ordered two storage containers from Pack Rat for a long distance move. While my household belongings were in their custody, I was notified one of the containers had sustained significant flood damage. I was told the water was nearly knee high. I thought the company was going to make things right. They guided me through their claims process. I was wrong. The settlement offer just came at the end of November. Even though my entire container was not lost, I sustained significant financial damage. The offer from Pack Rat to compensate me was way below my financial losses. The appeal process to their offer was laughable at best. I feel like this company does not care about me as a customer or their obligation to compensate me for negligence they admit to.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

1-800-PACK-RAT apologizes for the customer’s experience. The corporate claims department was contacted regarding this matter. They advised the settlement offer presented to the customer was fair considering the verifiable damages. The claims team also confirmed offers were provided on some items even where damage could not be substantiated, as a demonstration of good faith. Per the 1-800-PACK-RAT rental agreement terms and conditions, we will offer the actual cash value (ACV) or the replacement

1-800-PACK-RAT author review by Jessica Render

1-800-PACK-RAT is a portable storage and moving company capable of local and long distance moving. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.

• Moving needs: 1-800-PACK-RAT offers local, long distance and military moving. They offer 8-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot containers depending on the consumer’s needs. Consumers can pack at their own pace or consult with a professional laborer.

• Security: A no-cut security lock is provided as well as $10,000 in content protection for free. The consumer may purchase other content protection plans as well.

• Storage solutions: All containers are weatherproof to help prevent mold and mildew making them great for seasonal storage. Storage facilities are monitored 24/7 and are climate controlled.

• Military moving: For military members choosing a do-it-yourself move or personally procured move (PPM), 1-800-PACK-RAT will provide empty and full PPM weight tickets. The government will reimburse 95 percent of the cost for a PPM move.

• Service areas: 1-800-PACK-RAT has locations in the United States and Canada. Consumers can go online to view a full list of cities. Each facility provides moving and storage services within approximately 50-100 miles of that facilities location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information