Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

My daughter was moving from Dallas to Portland. Pack Rat stated delivery would be on 1/9 in Portland. My son and I flew to Portland to help my daughter unload her container. On the morning of 1/9 we called to get an estimated time of delivery that day only to find out the container was actually still en route and would be delivered 1/11 at the earliest. Not once did someone call and reach out saying the delivery date was changed. So not only did I waste money on flights and hotel for nothing, but also had to hire a moving company as I had to fly back home on 1/10. Pack Rat does not realize when they give a stated delivery date, lots of things are scheduled around that stated delivery date. I've used Pack Rat 5 times in the past without any issues and now I won't use them ever again.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Our senior leadership team has successfully made contact with Mr. Cato & listened to his concerns regarding the tardiness of his delivery & the conflicts that ensued thereafter. We have reached an amicable resolution that has been agreed to by both parties. Leadership will reach out to all parties associated with the customer's experience to ensure all appropriate coaching and next steps are communicated.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

Pack-Rat picked up pod on 12.8.2020 in CT and was going to deliver to storage in Wake Forest, NC. On 12.12.2020, we contacted them to confirm the pod was en-route and to schedule the final delivery (from storage in NC to new home). The rep stated the pod was en route to NC and scheduled 12.29.2020 as our delivery day. We received an email on 12.27.2020 and called Pack-Rat again to find out why we received the email, confirmed that the pod was still "en-route" to NC and would arrive at our home on 12.29.2020. This morning (12.29.2020) we called to find out the time of the delivery to our home and were told they could not find our pod and someone would call us back. We received a call back stating our pod had never been en-route to begin with and was sitting in a storage facility back in CT. Absolutely unacceptable. They provided a "sorry" and partial refund. Told us the est arrival of the pod would be January 6th. We want a full refund and our pod delivered expeditiously.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the difficulties the customer experienced and can assure the customer that this situation has been thoroughly reviewed. We have provided the customer with a refund and confirmed the delivery date with the customer. We appreciate the feedback and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

If you want to add 100x more stress to your move, this company should be your first choice. Everything seemed fine through the booking process – the representative was helpful and even beat a price I received from a competitor. I did have concerns since the street we live on is very narrow and, to drop off the container, we had to save parking spots across from the driveway with our cars to make sure their truck could drop off and pick up the container, but it was really our only option. The drop-off went fine, but everything went downhill on the pick-up.

We received conflicting time windows from their main HQ and the driver who called us in the morning. A driver came by three hours early without calling us in advance, a call we were waiting for in order to put last-minute things in the pod that could be damaged by the heat. That driver said he was filling in for his friend, whose truck had broken down, and they would come back around at the time they had originally told us. Guess what, no one ever came back! When I called HQ, they said we were still on the schedule and would call us back when they learned more. No call. I called their HQ the next morning, the day we were scheduled to leave for our cross-country move, and they told us we had missed the window and couldn't pick up the container until the following week.

We called multiple times over the next couple of days and dealing with their customer service was like banging our heads against the wall. There is no real communication between their office in North Carolina and the facilities so, even though we received different information from their driver about our pick-up, there was no record of that information, which meant we were blamed for the pick-up issue. We had to stay in our apartment for an additional week, incurring extra rent expenses, and had to change all of our cross-country plans. And, when the driver finally came to pick up the container, he texted me that he was unable to access it because of the car across the street and that he would try again later – that was MY CAR saving the spot for him! Thankfully, I ran outside before he took off!

To add insult to injury, when they charged me, they added a surprise $400 fee, which increased the price to what their competitor was going to charge me, who I wish we had gone with. Another hour on the phone and they dropped the charge. Long story long, if you are considering this company for any reason, DON'T DO IT. All of the reviews about their horrendous customer service are true so save yourself the stress and go with another company even if it costs more.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Our Resolution Team has spoken with the customer and we can confirm that their refund has processed. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

In June of 2020 I ordered two storage containers from Pack Rat for a long distance move. While my household belongings were in their custody, I was notified one of the containers had sustained significant flood damage. I was told the water was nearly knee high. I thought the company was going to make things right. They guided me through their claims process. I was wrong. The settlement offer just came at the end of November. Even though my entire container was not lost, I sustained significant financial damage. The offer from Pack Rat to compensate me was way below my financial losses. The appeal process to their offer was laughable at best. I feel like this company does not care about me as a customer or their obligation to compensate me for negligence they admit to.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

1-800-PACK-RAT apologizes for the customer’s experience. The corporate claims department was contacted regarding this matter. They advised the settlement offer presented to the customer was fair considering the verifiable damages. The claims team also confirmed offers were provided on some items even where damage could not be substantiated, as a demonstration of good faith. Per the 1-800-PACK-RAT rental agreement terms and conditions, we will offer the actual cash value (ACV) or the replacement

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Our container was supposed to be delivered today 11-13-20. We have been waiting for it since 6 am. We called customer service 9 times throughout the day starting at 7 am with the last call at 7.30 pm. After each call except the last 2 they told us to not worry that the delivery is confirmed for the day. In the last 2 calls the case was escalated twice to a supervisor stating they are trying to get in touch with the local facility (Seattle) but unfortunately they are not getting any reply. At 7:30 Pm container is still not here and we were told they do not know when it will get delivered. Last agent mentioned how it will might take 1-2 weeks! Not only they cannot give us a specific date, they also told us we need to wait and be present for it. Please do not use this company as we still do not know where our personal property is and when we will be able to get it back. PS the shipping address was 20 miles away from the delivery address. Be Aware.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. We can confirm our Resolution Team has reached out to the customer regarding the delayed delivery and it has been resolved. If the customer would like to speak with us further regarding their issues they can contact our Customer Service Team at 1 (800) 722-5728, or by emailing movinghelp@1800packrat.com. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I had the worst moving experience with 1-800-PACK-RAT with our move from California to Ohio. Our POD was 7 days delayed but they could not give me an ETA on arrival until they were 5 days delayed. We literally went 5 days not knowing where our belongings were. After all that waiting it turns out they were STILL in California. They offered to help compensate with the additional costs of not having our belongings but when I submitted the receipts, they only compensated us for 25% of the costs. Their customer service team is worthless and mislead us the entire time. I originally chose Pack-Rat because they could deliver on a specific day, now I think they just told me that to get my business. DO NOT USE 1-800-PACK-RAT unless you want to wait longer and spend additional money.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for any inconvenience the customer experienced. A member of our team has reached out to the customer directly to reach a resolution.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Rented container on 8.8.20 thru 10.20.20. As of Nov 4th they have not come to pick it up. Have called them 4 times about this. They just keep putting it off until another time. They even tried charging us for it still being on my property.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Bethann, unfortunately, we have not been able to locate your order based on the information we have at this time. If you could update your post with more information, such as your quote or order number, we will look into this right away and follow up with you directly. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

So my fiancée and I are moving this Friday. We decided to rent a 16’ container to be dropped off about 10 days before the move with the intent of storing and then dropping off after 6 weeks. Now I am selling the house (under my name) in 3 days. My fiancée was the one who rented the container. We were told to call and give a day and time for pick up so we packed and tried calling for pickup a few days ago and were told the soonest would be November 19th... again, I am settling on my house 10/30 and the situation, as it stands, is there will be a container in front front of my house. After a few days and HOURS on hold, I finally got through to a supervisor, who seemed a little shocked that I was actually transferred to him.

I explained the situation and told him, "I CANNOT have this in front of my house Friday." He sent an email to the facility and is waiting a response which the lead time for response, according to him, can be 30 minutes to days. He also explained how they do their scheduling by hours and the legality of the business regarding DOT. He was very informative but not exactly helpful. What it seems is that they are run thin as far as manpower and equipment goes and this throws chaos into scheduling. It seems they are very quick to drop off containers, where they get their money, but very unreliable when picking them up. So they throw as many containers out to customers but don’t have the ability to pick them up. Actually, 2 hours after getting this container delivered she got a call saying they were on their way to drop off the container... chaos.

More info I received from the supervisor. Now, I own my property. There is a container sitting on it... that my fiancée ordered, who does not own the property. After calling some towing companies, I learned that I can have this container removed from my property, for a hefty price. Pack Rat will not fine my fiancée because she is not the one removing it, but she will be held liable for damages. Is this seriously how I am going to have to sell my house? Is this how I am going to have to remove this container??

1-800-PACK-RAT response

David, unfortunately, we have not been able to locate your order based on the information we have at this time. If you could update your post with more information, such as your quote or order number, we will look into this right away and follow up with you directly. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

1-800-Pack-Rat picked up our full container on 10/10 for a move from Los Angeles to Minneapolis. The container was supposed to be delivered to our new house on 10/24. The evening of 10/23 I realized I had not gotten any calls or emails from them about timing. I called them to find out that they had tried to charge my credit card ONE time on 10/12. The bank had turned off my card off for 2 hours (because I was driving across the county) as a security measure. 1-800-Pack-Rat had attempted to charge my card during the 2 hours it was off.

When it didn't go through they sent one email (that went to my junk folder). And that was all! They had everything we own and we never got another email or phone call (they had our number and had no issue using it when I was scheduling the move). If we had ordered a meal from Grubhub and our card didn't go through for whatever reason, we would have gotten multiple emails and a call. They have done absolutely nothing to help us. I cannot stress this enough, do not use this company!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the difficulties our customer has experienced. A manager has been in contact with the customer and we are working to resolve the issue. We appreciate the feedback and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

Updated on 01/17/2021: I am tired of all the empty promises, lies, empty hopes this company has put me and my family through. I have wrote Legal department and keep calling only to have more empty promises. I had my Id theft, kids toys, our family business, furniture, clothes, books, art, Disney stuffed animals, electronics, autograph gloves, music memorabilia, belt buckles, beds, Tools, ladders, Tools, N64, PS3, kitty tower, social security cards, birth certificates, purses, personal letters, photographs, medical records, banking information and much more inside our stolen storage.

Nothing has been done about it still, We were promised to have everything returned and retrieved for the companies breaching contract. I certainly want something done about these thieves. It has in infected my money and bank my ID. I even had to file police reports because my ID was stolen and used without my consent and I hold this company 100 percent responsible.

Original Review: They breached our contract and they apologised for their mistake. We lost everything and left with nothing. They raised our unit rent during this pandemic as their excuse was they did not have enough units. This company has not done anything to help as we lost our home and now all our personal belongings that cannot be replaced like my Pantera memorabilia and photographs. My kids' baby clothes and their baby stuff. It is wrong on so many levels as they realised they messed up on their end and as we found out we were not the only ones. We would love everything back including our furniture, electronics and more.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Paula, unfortunately, we have not been able to locate your order based on the information we have at this time. If you could update your post with more information, such as your quote or order number, we will look into this right away and follow up with you directly. Thank you!

1-800-PACK-RAT author review by Jessica Render

1-800-PACK-RAT is a portable storage and moving company capable of local and long distance moving. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.

• Moving needs: 1-800-PACK-RAT offers local, long distance and military moving. They offer 8-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot containers depending on the consumer’s needs. Consumers can pack at their own pace or consult with a professional laborer.

• Security: A no-cut security lock is provided as well as $10,000 in content protection for free. The consumer may purchase other content protection plans as well.

• Storage solutions: All containers are weatherproof to help prevent mold and mildew making them great for seasonal storage. Storage facilities are monitored 24/7 and are climate controlled.

• Military moving: For military members choosing a do-it-yourself move or personally procured move (PPM), 1-800-PACK-RAT will provide empty and full PPM weight tickets. The government will reimburse 95 percent of the cost for a PPM move.

• Service areas: 1-800-PACK-RAT has locations in the United States and Canada. Consumers can go online to view a full list of cities. Each facility provides moving and storage services within approximately 50-100 miles of that facilities location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information