1.59/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

46 1-800-PACK-RAT Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

The people I spoke with were very courteous and accommodating. I had called and got quotes from all the other moving companies and they gave me the lowest and best. They did as they say when they will pick up and transport the container. They stored it for me in their storage warehouse in the city that I moved to for two months until I found where I am going to live. It took a little over the two months of storage and they did not charge me for the extra time because I was unable to move in time to receive the container. They literally went above and beyond to help me. Thank you Pack Rat. You are the best for me!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Thank you, Ghada, for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I was pretty nervous after reading a lot of bad reviews for 1-800-Pack Rat. Nonetheless, we tried them, and I am pleased to report we had no problems whatsoever. They dropped off two shipping containers to us in Southern California on two different days, just as scheduled, picked them up, transported them to Washington State, and dropped them in our driveway. Nothing was damaged, all the drivers were nice, and when we called customer service with a question, we had no trouble reaching someone. I guess maybe it depends on the individual locations. Ours went through busy hubs in Orange County, CA and then Seattle (though they had to deliver to us out in the country 1.5 hrs away), so maybe those are better run than those used by some reviewers. But in any case, I just wanted to submit this to say not everyone has problems with them!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Elizabeth, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I ordered a unit to be delivered today. I had an "all day" window. I was never told that all day could be from 8 am until 10 pm at night. That is absurd!!! It is beyond me how you 1) cannot give a time window, even a 6 hour window is better than 14, 2) deliver a large item in the dark, 3) have so little value for your customer's time, 4) be so unprofessional as to not even contact the customer back and 5) expect customers to trust you with their personal belongings when you are not reliable enough to even get the unit to a house in a 14hr time slot. As of 8:30 pm, I have yet to hear from them.

In speaking with customer reps on 800 number, they are unable to get in touch with the local office and the local office is not returning messages. I have not only wasted an entire day off but now am back to square one with getting a storage unit. I will not be using this company and trusting them with my belongings. I am not sure how this company stays in business and how I only happened to see the good reviews when I initially booked them. I am beyond furious that I am now put a couple weeks behind in my process because of the "business". Do yourself a favor and use a different company. I am so frustrated and furious!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. If the customer would like to speak with us further regarding their issues they can contact our Customer Service Team by phone or by email. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I booked a container online and literally had it dropped off the next day. That seemed convenient and on point. Well they said they would be there at 1pm. Then they called me at 1pm and told me they would be there anywhere between 130 to 2pm. Finally showed up at 2:45pm then had to rush to work because they were so late. Got the pod packed and ready to go. Finally got the date to move it and called on the 12th of the month. My vacation started the 17th to the 23rd. So I figured that would be still a reasonable amount of time to move it specially considering they dropped it off so quick. So went to the city and talked to them to make sure I could drop it in the street for one night. They told me to talk to the city police. City police said everything was fine.

Called 1-800-PACK-RAT and they proceeded with getting it moved. They said they couldn't move it till the 26th. Totally wasted me time. I couldn't believe it takes two weeks to move it from the town to the city of the same area. Then they proceeded to tell me I needed a permit and that it doesn't matter what the city cop said. They can't put it in the street without one. Mind you I talked to the city clerk and the city police and neither mentioned a permit. Told them to come get their container. I did not want it anymore. They proceeded to tell me they can come grab the container on the 22nd. Complete frustration. You can't move it until the 26th but can come grab the empty on the 22nd. Then after picking it up on the 22nd they then send me an email stating I have a balance of $0.00 that is due and my credit card was declined. Why are you charging my card $0.00. Good thing that card has a locking function. Never again will I ever use their services

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. If the customer would like to speak with us further regarding their issues they can contact our Customer Service Team at 1 (800) 722-5728, or by emailing movinghelp@1800packrat.com. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

We were waiting for a closing date and to find out when we could take occupancy on our new home. I called to see if the container could be picked up 5 days out from today. I was told they were booked solid and the first available date would be 14 days out. We now have to pay the buyers of our current house a daily fee for this container to sit in their new driveway for 2 weeks.

I expressed my concern and disbelief on the phone and was told they would reach out to the local warehouse to see if they could figure something out. I have not gotten a response back and on top of paying a monthly fee that magically increased last month, I now have to pay rent for it to sit in the driveway. And I also will have to pay an additional month of rent because I have to wait 2 weeks before I am able to empty it into our new house. How can there not be one available time slot in the next 2 weeks for a pickup?? I am beyond angry with the lack of customer support and service.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Amanda, we are sorry to hear about the experience and thank you for reaching out. Please message your order number and the best contact number. We will ask a team member to investigate and follow up directly with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2019

Very dissatisfied with this experience and I was misled by one of Pack Rat's coordinators, regarding when the unit was to be delivered to my home. As a result of the late arrival of the storage unit, I had to pay two (2) rescheduling fees with the movers, for a total additional cost of $280. The coordinator called the previous day and said the container would arrive by mid-day Saturday, Aug. 3. I told him good, because I had movers (which were recommended by Pack Rat via email) scheduled to come after 3. The coordinator did nothing to warn me on Friday that nothing is guaranteed and that it would be a better idea to schedule movers for the following day -- which I gladly would have done. Then on Saturday, 1 p.m. rolls around and, no container.

When I was able to contact the coordinator, he changed his tune, saying that that since I didn't pay a $50 premium to guarantee arrival at a specific time, that there was no set schedule for the container to arrive -- despite what he told me over the phone on Friday. I mentioned this to him and told him he should have told me this (about the premium fee) on Friday (instead of assuring me it would arrive mid-day Saturday).

After calling the driver and calling me back, the coordinator again made another assurance: the container will be there at 4 p.m. I told him ok, but I would have to pay a $140 reschedule fee. At no time did he mention anything about the second arrival time as being an estimate only. Movers show up (good team actually) a little after 4 and no container. They said per their company policy they could not even start working (moving furniture downstairs at least) until the container arrived. They waited and left at 5.

Container finally shows up at 5:45 p.m. I had to pay another $140 reschedule fee for the movers to show up the next day. I asked for reimbursement of the rescheduling fees because of Pack Rat's miscommunication: we do not always meet our estimated times. We make no assurances or guarantees regarding the time of pickup or delivery of any container. Consequently, we are not able to provide compensation or reimbursement for the fees you have incurred. I disagree. Their coordinator on two occasions did make assurances on the delivery time, which were way off, costing me $280. At least almost all of my furniture fit in the Container -- just hope it doesn't get damaged in transit or storage. In that case look out for Part II of this rant! Anyway, you be the judge. If anything hopefully you can learn from this experience.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are so sorry to hear about the difficulty. If you’d take a moment to message us your order number and best contact number, we will ask a team member to investigate and follow-up directly with you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Terrible company to do business with and they will do nothing but make your stressful moving time much worse. They never put my crate drop off on a truck's schedule so I had to spend more than two hours being lied to and dismissed to get it delivered. Then they didn't pick it up on the correct day. Another set of rude and argumentative customer service. Trust me, go elsewhere. The driver I met was excellent, so all good there.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Matthew, we are sorry to hear about your experience and we would like to look into this further. Can you please provide your order number, so we can follow up with you directly?

Original review: July 29, 2019

I'm not normally a review writer, but I cannot overstate how completely wretched and terrible this company has been to work with. Every single step of the process has been a major headache, and as others have noted, it is difficult, if not impossible to get someone on the phone - let alone have any kind of functioning online services. Even their driver told me I should have used PODS! They will not call you back. They will not follow up on anything. The only reason I was even able to make my move happen in time was to go from Philly out to Cherry Hill to track down the one guy who seemed to work there and beg for his help. Would not recommend to anyone!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. If the customer would like to speak with us further, they can contact our Customer Service Team at 1 (800) 722-5728, or by emailing movinghelp@1800packrat.com. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I wasn't told I had to pick a date for pickup 10 days in advance nor did I read it but could be my fault because moving isn't STRESSFUL at all!!!! So we are still negotiating on the house we are buying so I have no move to address but have to have the container moved by the closing date of our current home. So I call and explain the situation and I get a very naive callous response, "Okay the first date available will be the 6th." I said, "Perhaps you do not understand, I need it moved before the 31st as we sold the house." "Oh, well if you didn't pick a deliver to then the first available is the 6th and dates fill up fast so it may be later." NO EMPATHY, no concern, no emergency times available!!??

I said, "Do you understand what I am asking you?" "Yes I do but there's no dates available so." This is just crazy! They cannot run their business thinking everything is perfect during moving but it's all about their schedules whether it be late delivery or no dates available while as the general public we are treated like a Rat. Never ever will recommend.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We appreciate your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience. Could you please provide your order number and a phone number so we can look into this further? Thank you!

Original review: July 23, 2019

Over two months ago we agreed to a delivery date of the 23rd. Could not get a time frame, just had to be around all day. When we called on this morning (the 23rd), we were told the date for the container to be dropped was now changed to the 31st. Unacceptable! We took time off work, we had family and friends lined up to help all day, everything we own is broke down and staged to be packed. It took us contacting a consumer advocate, blasting on Yelp and Facebook, to get a call back. It was well over 4 hours later. Poor communication. Not returning calls, extended times on hold (an hour plus) needs to be addressed. I would also suggest a window of time in which a person can expect a container to be dropped. If we hadn't called to check, we would have not known that Packrat changed the date. We could have accommodated a change if asked prior. Having people on standby for hours is not easy to accomplish.

Now the good news, and I will change this entire review and rate five stars if the latest promises are kept from now until I get my belongings in Vegas. I was told that I would have a Pod here today as agreed. Apparently the next driver to return to the Denver warehouse will be bringing a POD out. Packrat also removed $150 for our inconvenience. Great gesture and as long as that container gets here today, we are happy. Unfortunately, I am not very optimistic due to the lack of communication thus far.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. We can confirm our Resolution Team has spoken with the customer and confirmed the pickup. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

1-800-PACK-RAT expert review by Janine Sarna-Jones

1-800-PACK-RAT is a portable storage and moving company capable of local and long distance moving. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.

• Moving needs: 1-800-PACK-RAT offers local, long distance and military moving. They offer 8-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot containers depending on the consumer’s needs. Consumers can pack at their own pace or consult with a professional laborer.

• Security: A no-cut security lock is provided as well as $10,000 in content protection for free. The consumer may purchase other content protection plans as well.

• Storage solutions: All containers are weatherproof to help prevent mold and mildew making them great for seasonal storage. Storage facilities are monitored 24/7 and are climate controlled.

• Military moving: For military members choosing a do-it-yourself move or personally procured move (PPM), 1-800-PACK-RAT will provide empty and full PPM weight tickets. The government will reimburse 95 percent of the cost for a PPM move.

• Service areas: 1-800-PACK-RAT has locations in the United States and Canada. Consumers can go online to view a full list of cities. Each facility provides moving and storage services within approximately 50-100 miles of that facilities location.

• Best for: Consumers looking for local, long distance and military moves as well as business and residential storage needs.

Profile picture of Janine Sarna-Jones
      Janine Sarna-Jones Moving Expert

Janine Sarna-Jones is a Certified Professional Organizer and Move Manager. She is the founder and president of Organize Me Inc. and has been helping people get organized at work and at home since 1992. A member of the inaugural class of Certified Personal Organizers and board member of the National Association of Productivity and Organizing, Janine has helped a broad range of clients, including corporate executives, small business owners, real-estate agents, moms, artists, therapists, and non-profit organizations.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information