3.1/5 (171 ratings)

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT provides moving and storage services nationwide, offering steel, weatherproof storage containers in three sizes that you pack at your own pace. The company has local and long-distance moving options, or you can use storage services only. 1-800-PACK-RAT services 97% of the United States, according to its website, and promises 100% customer satisfaction.

Pros

• Online account management
  • Pack at your own pace
  • Customer satisfaction promise

Cons

• Pricing unavailable online
  • Storage facilities not in all states

Bottom Line

1-800-PACK-RAT delivers steel, weatherproof containers to your home so you can pack for a local or long-distance move or store belongings. Customers can request a quote by filling out a form on the website.

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT offers local and long-distance moving services, along with storage. The company delivers storage containers to your home or business, and you can pack at your own pace. When you’re ready, the company picks up the containers for transport to another location or storage at one of its more than 65 secure warehouses. You can choose from multiple Contents Protection Plans to insure your belongings. 1-800-PACK-RAT also makes it possible to schedule pickup and drop-off dates and update billing information online with its My PackRat account management tool.

What services does 1-800-PACK-RAT offer?

With 1-800-PACK-RAT, you can choose local moving, long-distance moving, storage or a combination of these services. 1-800-PACK-RAT offers three sizes of steel, weatherproof moving containers for delivery: 8-foot (holds about one to two rooms of furniture), 12-foot (holds about two to three rooms of furniture) and 16-foot (holds about three to four rooms of furniture). You can take as much time to pack as you need. 1-800-PACK-RAT then picks up the containers and transports them to the new location or to one of its secure storage facilities. You can also keep a container on your property for storage as long as you need it.

1-800-PACK-RAT usually delivers containers within 48 hours. Local move times depend on the season and the location. Long-distance moves under 1,500 miles take up to 10 business days, and moves over 1,500 miles take 10 to 14 business days. 1-800-PACK-RAT also ships moving supplies and offers Contents Protection Plans to cover your possessions.

1-800-PACK-RAT costs

1-800-PACK-RAT provides free online quotes. Fill out a form on the company website to begin the quote process. You can select moving, storage or both moving and storage. The quote will include monthly rental cost, total due at delivery and estimated future transportation costs. To arrange a long-distance move with 1-800-PACK-RAT, you may need to speak to a representative over the phone.

For local moves and storage, the company charges you for rental and delivery once it delivers the empty container. You pay for transportation and pickup fees as they occur. Storage fees are charged on a monthly basis.

For long-distance moves, 1-800-PACK-RAT charges a $500 deposit five days before delivery of the empty container. The remaining balance is due before transport to the final destination.

1-800-PACK-RAT FAQ

What size storage container do I need from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
The company offers a helpful space calculator on its company website to help you figure out how many and what size storage containers you need. An 8-foot container typically holds one to two rooms of furniture, a 12-foot container holds two to three rooms of furniture, and a 16-foot container holds about three to four rooms of furniture.
Are my belongings secure in a storage unit from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
Storage containers are made from steel and have barn-style doors that lock. The containers are weatherproof and designed to prevent moisture absorption. During pickup and delivery, the loading mechanism keeps the container level to minimize movement of contents inside. For maximum protection, customers should consider purchasing a 1-800-PACK-RAT Contents Protection Plan, which provides coverage up to $75,000.
Where is 1-800-PACK-RAT located?
1-800-PACK-RAT is based in Wake Forest, North Carolina. The company has more than 65 storage facilities across the U.S. and services 97% of the country.
How long does it take to get a container from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
1-800-PACK-RAT states that in most cases it can deliver an empty container within 48 hours. The delivery time varies based on the date and location.

Do we recommend 1-800-PACK-RAT?

1-800-PACK-RAT is a good option if you don’t need a full-service moving experience or you’re looking for off-site storage. The company drops off containers at your home or business, and you can pack and load items at your convenience. It then picks up the containers for local or long-distance transport or delivery to one of its storage facilities. Some companies offer similar services, so be sure to get quotes and compare overall value before moving forward.

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: July 18, 2021

If I could provide less than a 1-star rating I would. My girlfriend scheduled the storage container to be delivered today. Not only was there no update, but it was only after waiting on hold for an hour that we decided to call the sales department. Not surprisingly, our call was picked up on the first ring. After being transferred to a "manager" at 6 PM, we were notified that the Pack-Rat container was not going to be able to arrive on the scheduled date, let alone the time. The manager stated that their local truck broke down, and that the office was busy calling customers. This is a completely disorganized scam... Buyers beware! The worst customer experience, and on a tight timeline for moving.

Original review: July 16, 2021

BELIEVE the other reviews here. Used Packrat for an out of state move. Like many others the initial drop off went fine although it is nearly impossible to reach anyone in customer service. In our new location, we were told the warehouse is overbooked quoted 17 days for delivery of our container which is significantly longer than what was stated by the salesperson. Oh well, so we wait.. On the scheduled delivery day...Nothing. After another hour on hold to customer service I'm told the forklift is broken and they can't get the container to me for another 13 days, again because they are overbooked.. Complete indifference on the phone and now we are looking at close to a month of our property being held against our will. Go with another company if you want any positive customer experience.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2021

We’ve stored our things since 2013 with them. Now that we need our pod turns out they moved it to another state without my authorization! It took them almost 2 weeks to find it. Now that they finally located it they want to charge me the full amount and because it is in a crunch time window (which is their fault because it took them so long to locate) they want to charge me for the expedited service $600 plus the longer haul to bring it to me since they moved it to another state. We’ve been on the phone for more than 1.5hr every day for the last 2 weeks and all they can say is “sorry”. Absolutely no regard to their customer, no willingness to make it right. I would definitely not recommend.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Alejandra, we are sorry to hear this and would like to learn a little more about what is going on. Could you please provide your order number so we can look into this and follow up with you directly?

Original review: July 13, 2021

We are in the process of moving locally and need to store some of our items for a few months. We ordered the storage container and it was dropped off as scheduled, now the container is loaded and needs to be off the property as the house is being sold by the landlord. We scheduled having the unit moved on 07/02/2021, At 1:14 pm on 07/02/2021 I received a text stating they have to move my appointment for relocating to 07/08/2021 a week later with no explanation why. We were not happy but we understand things happen.

On 07/08/2021 at 6:55 am I received a text from Mario at Packrat saying he will move the container that day he just did not know the time yet I responded with before 11:30 if possible. I waited until 4:43 and then texted him back asking for a time frame with no response and no one showed up again. I called the main number again (mind you that you will be on hold for at least an hour to an hour and a half) when you call. 4 out of 5 calls I got the same response, they need to put me on hold and call the local facility as they are in Florida and I am in California, same response was "I tried both number I have for them and no one is answering so I will send them an email." At this point I feel that this is the go to response.

Saturday 07/10/2021 I called once again (call #4) sat on hold for the typical hour or so, talked to a lady got the standard issue response "no one answered blah blah blah" but she said she found an opening and we could get this moved on 07/23/2021 I said WHAT!! I am being charged for everyday I am not out of the property. Someone has to be able to get this thing moved (I am only moving it 7 miles or so from my house). She transferred me to a supervisor that would "look into it". Today I had an email showing the 7/23/2021 scheduled date then after that a new email showing today 07/12/2021 as the date. I thought perfect someone helped me out.

Well today came and went no call no text NO TRUCK! So I called 1-800-PACK-RAT again, sat on hold for 73 minutes talked to a new guy that said "I am going to place you on hold." So I interrupted and said, "You're going to come back and say you tried both numbers and no one picked up..." He put me on hold then came back and said "I got a hold of the local facility and it turns out the truck broke down in Petaluma" (15min from my house) and will not be able to move the unit today and he does not know when they will be there. I told him I do not know what to do. We are the point where we may have to unload this thing and move our stuff to a local storage place and try and fight for my money back? We all have good and bad experiences with companies, mine just happens to be a bad one with 1-800-PACK-RAT.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Damon, we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Our Resolution Team has been working to resolve the matter and credit has also been applied to the order. Thank you for your detailed feedback. We will use it to continually improve the process.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Picked as scheduled. After that no contact and no show on date of delivery. We called and were told it had to be Rescheduled for another week. Again, No call, no show. We called and waited for hours for someone to answer. They had no idea where the container was but “the system says next week”. 2 days later, Than the driver called and says ok I'm delivering your container tomorrow (yay! Earlier than expected). Driver calls in morning and asks for container number. 2 hrs later he says your container is not here. We called and waited for a long time again. Absolutely no communication, disorganized, and lack of concern for our items. It's been 3 weeks and no ability or desire to track this missing container. This is a container business and they have no idea where it is and no way to track. Or they are lying.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Summra, We appreciate your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience. Could you please provide your order number so we can look into this further? Thank you!

Original review: July 10, 2021

This the worst company I've ever worked with. It started out OK but they are completely disorganized. I've been without everything I own for over 6 weeks and living out of a suitcase. First they misplaced my container and it sat in a warehouse for a month. After several calls and waiting on hold for over 45 minutes each time they finally found it and it was delivered to the local warehouse. There is nowhere to park a container at my new place so I hired a local moving company to go to the warehouse and unload the container and move the contents to my new home.

The move was scheduled for Monday and on Saturday afternoon I received a text saying that it needed to be rescheduled because the forklift was broken. The moving company isn't available again for 2 weeks and are going to have to charge me for the Monday move due the short notice. 1800 Packrat apologized and offered $100 in compensation although I'll be living out of a suitcase for at least another 2 weeks. This is all completely unacceptable! The company is incompetent and unprofessional. Their customer service is worthless and impossible to reach. I'm still not sure if I'll ever see all of my possessions again. Stay away from them!!!!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Tom, we sincerely apologize for the subpar customer experience. It's certainly not the experience that we strive for every day. A refund has been processed for your account, and we will take your feedback into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Original review: July 10, 2021

MOVING IS HARD ENOUGH--DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE ORGANIZATION-WILL UPDATE IF MADE WHOLE: Over $2,000 in unexpected hotel charges, potential loss of a job--all in the last 48 hours this has happened. We paid for expedited shipping so that it would get to Miami on 7/9. Delayed to 7/10. 7/9, 4pm: We check in to ensure it'll be delivered tomorrow, via their Portal and discussing labor. No more than 25 minutes later, I receive a TEXT-no call, that is a "courtesy message that my delivery has now been delayed by AN ENTIRE WEEK WITHOUT OUR BELONGINGS. So 7/16 is the latest ETA-DON'T EVEN TRUST THAT

-------------------------------------------

I call in and customer support is extremely friendly, but tells me that all they can/will do is process a $50 refund (which she eventually upped to $75) and then proceeded to tell me that they would talk about an additional refund when it's delivered, if it's even delivered at this point. Multiple attempts to contact Executives, no response. $2000+ in unexpected hotel charges, potential loss of a job

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Zach, we sincerely apologize for the delays and lack of communication you've experienced with this move. We are working to resolve the situation and will continue to monitor your account. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to continually find ways to improve our service.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 3, 2021

I booked a move with Pack-Rat to deliver my stuff across the country. Pick up was fine, then I called them a few weeks before the move date to specify my exact delivery date and address. Turns out they never put the information in their system and my stuff is still sitting in a warehouse on the other side of the country. Now I'm sleeping on a blow-up mattress for 3 weeks. Despite all that they charge several thousand dollars for this "service".

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the difficulties the customer experienced. Our Resolution Team has reached out and we will use this feedback to continually improve our processes.

Original review: July 2, 2021

ATROCIOUS service is an understatement! This company is a joke, and definitely makes you feel like a fool! I would not even give them one star rating if I could. My husband and I had to take three days off from work as we were expecting delivery of our pod on June 30th…well…. We still don’t have our pod! When I called their customer service, I was on hold for 1.5- 2 hours each time. They promised me delivery each day, and of course no one showed up. Stay away from this company! They are unreliable! All I wanted was some courtesy. If you can’t deliver that day, CALL ME to reschedule, so I don’t waste my whole day waiting, and spend money on movers that just waited around. What a pathetic and unprofessional way of conducting business! So upset!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are so sorry to hear about the difficulty. If you would take a moment to send us your order number and best contact number, we will ask a team member to investigate and follow up directly with you

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: July 1, 2021

My situation is similar to those who've put their reviews in for June 2021. It seems like a part time job trying to keep PackRat accountable for their role as a moving company to deliver what was contractually stated. I chose PackRat due to its competitive pricing against PODS - regret. I was given a 6/30 delivery date. I called 6/29 to find out if I could get a better window in delivery time as I've started a new job. I find out that my unit had NOT left the origin facility (1.5 hrs because the rep had to FIND OUT WHERE IT WAS). Next, after stating my concerns, I was told that customer service would contact me to let me know a new delivery date - they didn't.

Taking initiative, I called 6/30 to find out the new delivery date and was told I'd get compensated some arbitrary amount per day for the unit's delay (~35 min). This arbitrary amount is supposedly in the contract - False. To reassure me, I asked for more follow-up on when my unit begins its transit and was told to use the PackRat online account. Again, I call on 7/1 because my account wasn't allowing me to log in (~35 min) and asked for more clarification on the when my unit will be in transit. So, supposedly in transit now.

Overall, I understand that the customer service was trying their best and there are a lot of factors between facilities and etc. especially during a peak season. However, for a moving company who has been in service for some time, I expected better. I do not recommend PackRat for your move. If you choose them, be certain to call them regularly to remind them to ship your unit.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Teresa, we apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your move and appreciate your detailed review. Your feedback is valuable as we work to continue to improve our processes and provide a better customer experience.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information