Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.69/5

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Sacramento office to Southern Georgia office. Start to finish was great. I will definitely use them As the exodus from California continues. The driver dropped off the container right where we wanted it. The driver did call aheads both times. In Georgia The driver was just as good.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Walter, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I was pretty nervous after reading a lot of bad reviews. But it turned out to be the best experience ever. My move was from Ohio to TX. They met every committed days and times. Answered the phone every time I called. No hidden charges or fees. I looked at all other options such as Upack, Pods, etc. But Packrats were the best in price, weight limitation and storage fees. I had no place picked up in TX, so I had them store in TX until I found a place. When I did find a place within 30 days, I got my stuff and not extra penny was charged. My order number is ** if someone wants to verify. Great friendly people all the way from drivers to call centers. Highly highly recommended.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Lakshan, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I was moving within a month and have been unable to do things quickly due to foot surgery. I picked 1-800-PACK-RAT, since I didn't know if I would be getting any help or when. It turned out to be a good choice. Everyone from customer service to pick up of the container were courteous, professional, and provided service within the time frame as promised.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Kathy, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

The people I spoke with were very courteous and accommodating. I had called and got quotes from all the other moving companies and they gave me the lowest and best. They did as they say when they will pick up and transport the container. They stored it for me in their storage warehouse in the city that I moved to for two months until I found where I am going to live. It took a little over the two months of storage and they did not charge me for the extra time because I was unable to move in time to receive the container. They literally went above and beyond to help me. Thank you Pack Rat. You are the best for me!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Thank you, Ghada, for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I was pretty nervous after reading a lot of bad reviews for 1-800-Pack Rat. Nonetheless, we tried them, and I am pleased to report we had no problems whatsoever. They dropped off two shipping containers to us in Southern California on two different days, just as scheduled, picked them up, transported them to Washington State, and dropped them in our driveway. Nothing was damaged, all the drivers were nice, and when we called customer service with a question, we had no trouble reaching someone. I guess maybe it depends on the individual locations. Ours went through busy hubs in Orange County, CA and then Seattle (though they had to deliver to us out in the country 1.5 hrs away), so maybe those are better run than those used by some reviewers. But in any case, I just wanted to submit this to say not everyone has problems with them!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Elizabeth, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 23, 2020

I had a pod delivered for a home move, locally in Bucks County PA. They stored the pod for 30 days or so with a set delivery date. That date came and no pod, no call. I had to spend over an hour on hold and talking to corporate just to get a callback. They told me they weren't getting to me today and I would have it between 9am and 10am. The logistics manager provided his cell phone, which I confirmed with a text and response. The next day, no pod, no call. I called the cell phone, texted the cell phone all day, and no response. By 5pm, I spend another 2 hours on hold and talking to the call center, 3 associates and a manager. No help. Finally a driver called me around 7pm with an eta. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THIS COMPANY.

Hi Ryan,

We appreciate your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience. Could you please provide your order number and a phone number so we can look into this further? Thank you!

Original review: July 21, 2020

I reserved a 16' container months in advance for our cross-country move. The day before the scheduled delivery, I called to confirm that everything was done correctly for the drop-off. I was told delivery was between 8am and 11pm, and I'd get a courtesy call from the driver an hour before drop off. Instead I got a voicemail in the afternoon on the day of delivery from someone named Cody saying that the delivery company had a problem with a truck and my delivery was postponed FOUR DAYS. Also, it would only be at our home for two days instead of the planned four, allegedly so it could still make it to the destination 2,800 miles away on the delivery date.

Our leisurely four day loading that included a weekend would now be a two day mid-week scramble. This didn't make sense because I scheduled its pickup from my house so that it would be delivered at the destination on the desired date; how could they now transport it cross-country two days faster? To make matters worse they added a $25 rescheduling charge, even though I didn't reschedule. - they did. This was eventually reversed but it was a slap in the face to add it to my bill at all.

I spent hours on phone calls to 1-800-PACK-RAT, mostly on hold, sometimes with no one picking up after more than an hour. No, they couldn't deliver it any sooner than four days late. They couldn't explain how it would get to the destination on the originally scheduled date, faster than they previously said was possible. After being transferred three times, they offered a $200 discount - just over 5%. Hardly anything. Hint: Try starting with 20% off. I quickly scrambled to find an alternative service. U-Haul's website said they could deliver two U-Boxes the next day - and they did. Two U-Boxes were $470 less than the discounted 1-800-PACK-RAT container.

Later that evening I received a voicemail from Vincent ** who said he was a delivery driver for 1-800-PACK-RAT. Did I still want the container? Otherwise he would have to cancel the delivery. He asked me to call but didn't leave a number. My voicemail said the call came from a Virginia phone number. I called that number and got a generic outgoing message. I left a message just in case it was correct but didn't receive a return call. I called customer service (they were closing in 15 minutes but I got through quickly for once) and was told they don't know Vincent ** and didn't show my container scheduled for delivery at all, let alone that day, which they already told me multiple times was impossible. Were they trying to deliver it on the promised day after all? I'll probably never know.

I will not use 1-800-PACK-RAT in the future. If anyone asks, I will strongly recommend they choose another service. There is no excuse for what they did. They should have contingencies for failed equipment and unavailable delivery staff. Yes, that might cost them more up front to make those arrangements, and utilizing those backup services when needed might cost them even more. But this is what they do. I was counting on them to deliver what they promised. They failed.

Original review: July 21, 2020

I had a pod all book with the PODS company but called 1-800-Pack-Rat to see if they’d price match. They did a bit better so book. All went well with drop off but their largest containers are waaay too small for a 3 bedroom. Regardless, our container got pick up on time. 14 business days later and 5 days after landing in our new house with 3 little kids sleeping on the floor, I call to confirm delivery of our container, which was scheduled for the next day. Turns out they never charged me upon pick up of packed container, which is what signals that the container should leave storage and head to final destination. So I find out when I call to confirm that our container is being dropped off in Ohio the next day that it’s actually STILL IN CALIFORNIA and the only reason I know this IS BECAUSE I CALLED TO CONFIRM. Thank Gd I had the sense to do that or else we would have been waiting on our doorstep for this container like chumps.

They are holding our stuff hostage — crib and bunk beds for our small kids and all—because they will not give a discount for messing up. They will NOT release your stuff until you pay. They messed up and they want you to fork over the full amount to get your stuff. The only thing they’re offering is $75/a day in compensation for every day it’s late. No. It should be $100/day PLUS 25% off full bill AT THE LEAST. I’m waiting on a call back and if I don’t hear back I will get lawyers involved.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Whitney, we are sorry to hear about the experience and thank you for reaching out. Please message your order number and the best contact number. We will ask a team member to investigate and follow up directly with you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: July 20, 2020

I can not overstate how disorganized this company has been in July 2020. I ordered 2 containers. The 1st on-time, the 2nd delayed. Then, they delayed picking up the second container. A manager called, guaranteed on-time delivery. Then - 24 hours prior to drop off. I got a message that the NJ folks didn't ship (yet my CC was charged $4K) and they'd have to move me to Monday AM. Well, it's Monday 11 am. No container. Plus, I got a $25 change fee.

Each time there was a delay, I tried to call. I managed to get a rep 2x. They said, "Sorry, we'll forward to manager." Other 8 times I called, I spent nearly 8 hours just on hold. Now they have all my stuff. I have movers showing up in 5 hours - no container. And, when I call - 2 hours on hold this morning. You don't need this kind of stress. And, you really don't have any recourse, because they are not BBB accredited and they don't pick up the phone!! Don't use!!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the difficulties our customer has experienced. A manager has been in contact with the customer and we have provided him with a refund due to our delay.

Resolution response: July 17, 2020

I changed it from 1 star to 4 stars after receiving a call from the company. They waived the fee for the extra month of storage. I can understand the additional cost ($500) for fuel charges based on the timeframe when the container moves across the country. I accept responsibility for the container not being ready by 23JUL20 and rebooking is difficult during a move period. Instead of calling the day of pickup, I recommend a courtesy call the day prior and the person calling being armed with the availability of future pickup days as part of that call. The container quality is excellent and superior to PODs. Transparency was my only main concern and being charged an extra month for storage was what had caused such a strong reaction.

The only reason they aren't a five star is because the customer service team needs to be better coached in letting people know if any results from a conversation may lead to an additional charge. The website is excellent in allowing you to monitor what to expect but you shouldn't have to rely on that medium.

Original review: July 16, 2020

If you are Military doing a PPM option, avoid this company. I moved goods from Fort Bragg, NC to Monterey, CA. I was quoted a price that could match their competitor PODs. They will say anything on the phone to make you happy but will charge you for any changes after the fact without telling you. For example, I was supposed to get goods picked up on 23JUN20 but the time was unspecified. If it is not ready at exactly whatever arbitrary time they set for that day (though you do get a half-hour courtesy call), they will reschedule it for a date where you will have to be charged for an additional month of storage ($287).

In this case, the earliest they could do was 13JUL20 which was two days prior to billing me for another month of storage. They won't warn you of this when being informed that the truck is on the way for pickup. Also, they will tell you on the phone you won't be charged for the extra month but because it is not in writing, it will ultimately reflect on the bill.

Additionally, any conversations on the phone with customer service can lead to additional charges that aren't mentioned in the conversation but will reflect on the bill. For example, they planned to charge me an additional $700 expedited delivery fee when I mentioned I am trying to get my goods sooner than later. This was after they moved my second pick-up date to only two days prior to my first month's storage date expiring. Luckily I caught this before they could send this shipment.

Secondly, they won't tell you that they will charge an additional $500 for changing which direction you want the doors to face. That charge will reflect itself after the container is picked up and you won't be informed of that charge through customer service. So always monitor your online account to detect any additional charges they may try to add. Bottom line, if you end up locked in with this company, expect them to find ways to charge you extra for services that will add to the original quote. They will not be transparent about additional charges until after they can bill you. My goods will be arriving 3 weeks after what I had originally planned and I am being charged an extra ~$850 for the inconvenience.

1-800-PACK-RAT author review by Jessica Render

1-800-PACK-RAT is a portable storage and moving company capable of local and long distance moving. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.

• Moving needs: 1-800-PACK-RAT offers local, long distance and military moving. They offer 8-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot containers depending on the consumer’s needs. Consumers can pack at their own pace or consult with a professional laborer.

• Security: A no-cut security lock is provided as well as $10,000 in content protection for free. The consumer may purchase other content protection plans as well.

• Storage solutions: All containers are weatherproof to help prevent mold and mildew making them great for seasonal storage. Storage facilities are monitored 24/7 and are climate controlled.

• Military moving: For military members choosing a do-it-yourself move or personally procured move (PPM), 1-800-PACK-RAT will provide empty and full PPM weight tickets. The government will reimburse 95 percent of the cost for a PPM move.

• Service areas: 1-800-PACK-RAT has locations in the United States and Canada. Consumers can go online to view a full list of cities. Each facility provides moving and storage services within approximately 50-100 miles of that facilities location.

by Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information