1.2/5 (75 ratings)

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT provides moving and storage services nationwide, offering steel, weatherproof storage containers in three sizes that you pack at your own pace. The company has local and long-distance moving options, or you can use storage services only. 1-800-PACK-RAT services 97% of the United States, according to its website, and promises 100% customer satisfaction.

Pros

• Online account management
  • Pack at your own pace
  • Customer satisfaction promise

Cons

• Pricing unavailable online
  • Storage facilities not in all states

Bottom Line

1-800-PACK-RAT delivers steel, weatherproof containers to your home so you can pack for a local or long-distance move or store belongings. Customers can request a quote by filling out a form on the website.

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT offers local and long-distance moving services, along with storage. The company delivers storage containers to your home or business, and you can pack at your own pace. When you’re ready, the company picks up the containers for transport to another location or storage at one of its more than 65 secure warehouses. You can choose from multiple Contents Protection Plans to insure your belongings. 1-800-PACK-RAT also makes it possible to schedule pickup and drop-off dates and update billing information online with its My PackRat account management tool.

What services does 1-800-PACK-RAT offer?

With 1-800-PACK-RAT, you can choose local moving, long-distance moving, storage or a combination of these services. 1-800-PACK-RAT offers three sizes of steel, weatherproof moving containers for delivery: 8-foot (holds about one to two rooms of furniture), 12-foot (holds about two to three rooms of furniture) and 16-foot (holds about three to four rooms of furniture). You can take as much time to pack as you need. 1-800-PACK-RAT then picks up the containers and transports them to the new location or to one of its secure storage facilities. You can also keep a container on your property for storage as long as you need it.

1-800-PACK-RAT usually delivers containers within 48 hours. Local move times depend on the season and the location. Long-distance moves under 1,500 miles take up to 10 business days, and moves over 1,500 miles take 10 to 14 business days. 1-800-PACK-RAT also ships moving supplies and offers Contents Protection Plans to cover your possessions.

1-800-PACK-RAT costs

1-800-PACK-RAT provides free online quotes. Fill out a form on the company website to begin the quote process. You can select moving, storage or both moving and storage. The quote will include monthly rental cost, total due at delivery and estimated future transportation costs. To arrange a long-distance move with 1-800-PACK-RAT, you may need to speak to a representative over the phone.

For local moves and storage, the company charges you for rental and delivery once it delivers the empty container. You pay for transportation and pickup fees as they occur. Storage fees are charged on a monthly basis.

For long-distance moves, 1-800-PACK-RAT charges a $500 deposit five days before delivery of the empty container. The remaining balance is due before transport to the final destination.

1-800-PACK-RAT FAQ

What size storage container do I need from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
The company offers a helpful space calculator on its company website to help you figure out how many and what size storage containers you need. An 8-foot container typically holds one to two rooms of furniture, a 12-foot container holds two to three rooms of furniture, and a 16-foot container holds about three to four rooms of furniture.
Are my belongings secure in a storage unit from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
Storage containers are made from steel and have barn-style doors that lock. The containers are weatherproof and designed to prevent moisture absorption. During pickup and delivery, the loading mechanism keeps the container level to minimize movement of contents inside. For maximum protection, customers should consider purchasing a 1-800-PACK-RAT Contents Protection Plan, which provides coverage up to $75,000.
Where is 1-800-PACK-RAT located?
1-800-PACK-RAT is based in Wake Forest, North Carolina. The company has more than 65 storage facilities across the U.S. and services 97% of the country.
How long does it take to get a container from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
1-800-PACK-RAT states that in most cases it can deliver an empty container within 48 hours. The delivery time varies based on the date and location.

Do we recommend 1-800-PACK-RAT?

1-800-PACK-RAT is a good option if you don’t need a full-service moving experience or you’re looking for off-site storage. The company drops off containers at your home or business, and you can pack and load items at your convenience. It then picks up the containers for local or long-distance transport or delivery to one of its storage facilities. Some companies offer similar services, so be sure to get quotes and compare overall value before moving forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

I am very disappointed with 1-800-Pack-Rat. My first deliver date was missed due to a driver shortage. I was told the delivery would occur on the next day between 12 pm - 4 pm. Now the second date has been missed with no explanation or call. Very poor service. Hopefully, some credit adjustment will be made.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the unexpected delay due to issues on our end and for the lack of communication. A team member has attempted to reach out to Larry to discuss the issues and provide a delivery date. We look forward to hearing back from him soon to further discuss the situation.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
Original review: Sept. 10, 2022

I called 1-800-Packrat on 08-17-22 to get a quote. My son is moving from Fl. to Boston for college. The rep said they "want my business" and met the quote I received from PODS ($2250.00). I booked the move informing her that the pickup was from a home with a driveway, but asked how the delivery in Boston, a major city with parallel parking would work. She said I needed a permit from the city of Boston for 2 parking spaces to allow the 8 foot container to be delivered. When I called the city, they said this must be done in person. I had to work with "Permit Pullers" paying a total of $260 for a 2 parking space permit for 48 hours: 09-02-22 - 09-03-22. I called packrat on delivery day 09-02-22 since I heard nothing and was given a time frame of 11:45am - 3:45pm. At 5:23pm, I was texted that there was a break-down of a truck and my delivery would be "first thing the next morning".

On 09-03-22 I called to get a delivery time and was told 3-5 pm- NOT the morning. At 2pm the driver called and at 3pm he arrived on the wrong side of the street yelling out the window "That's not enough space. You need 4 car lengths. You have to go to the warehouse to get your stuff". Then he left. I promptly called 1-800-PACKRAT and spoke with Melody who would call me back. At 5:45pm, I received a voicemail from Carlos who said, "They do need 4 spaces to park" also stating I could go to the warehouse to pick it up myself Tuesday.

I returned the call, and spoke with Stephanie (Escalations) suggesting I go to the permit office on Tuesday 09-06-22 to try for a 4 space permit. I had a flight booked to leave Boston on 09-04-22. Ultimately I had to pay for the hotel to extend my stay 3 days, rent a U-Haul van, and drive 60 miles to retrieve my belongings (while also getting hit by a semi). Through these 4 days they called me once and made NO effort to work with me or take any responsibility for their mistake. I was only reimbursed for the unused permit $260. Nightmare is too weak of a word.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We appreciate our customer taking the time to let us know about the problems she encountered during her move with us. We are deeply sorry for the delivery issues and the hardships this added during an already stressful time. A team member has reached out to Carolyn to discuss the situation and has processed some compensation for the issues.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

They showed up a day late to drop off the pod, which wasn't a big deal at the time, but everything they touch has been exclusively unreliable. We went with their partnered moving company, HireAHelper, and our movers called the morning of asking us to cancel as they couldn't make it and didn't want to pay the late fee themselves. Customer service was trying to pass us off to companies at 2-3x the quoted rate until we did it ourselves. After that, the hire a help crew at the destination cancelled on us a week out, customer service again tried to pass us off for far more expensive crews, and we put our foot down and said absolutely not.

Now, it's the day we were expecting our Pack Rat container to arrive, and this morning we get texted that the container won't be able to make it at all today, but might be here Tuesday. Meanwhile, we're out for our parking spot for the pod, a couple hours driving to and from city hall for permits, and looking at a pile of fees from the moving crew. This experience has been awful, I wish we had just done it ourselves.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

When I first got a quote from 1-800 Pack Rat, I thought "Wow" these guys do the same thing as Pods but at a more reasonable price. You definitely get what you pay for. I scheduled the drop off and pick up dates of my containers almost 2 months in advance to make sure I was on the calendar. All 3 of my containers showed up a day late shortening the already short time to load. Apparently there was no record of the third container even showing up at my house so nobody showed up to pick it up.

After calling multiple times to alert them that the container was at my house, they finally agreed to pick it up almost 10 days after the scheduled date. When I asked them what they were planning on picking up, they had no idea. They didn't know the container number (and couldn't find it in their system even after I told them the number) or how it got to my house. I was told that my complaints about these delays, confusion and numerous calls would be compensated. No call back, no compensation, no communication.

After making a decision to change the move from a long distance move to a local move, I've been on the phone multiple times trying to make sure the billing is adjusted. Each time I call (and there were quite a few times), I was told the bill would be corrected and the move adjusted to reflect the local move. Nothing ever was changed and nobody followed-up even though I was assured that somebody would call within 24 hours. I couldn't even get a solid number for the cost of the local move. I talked to a few people on my last call and received different numbers with zero explanation from each of them. I was told my move had excess mileage fees but nobody could tell me what they were in excess of. Nothing is ever in writing and the "Quote" is just an general estimate at best. An estimate that only can get bigger, never smaller. Once they have your stuff, they feel like they can do anything.

Service is questionable. Communication is limited and nobody seems to know or care what anyone else in the company has said or done. Customer service is basically non-existent and their pricing is highly suspect at best. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. The hours spent on the phone (LOTS of hours) are not worth the trouble. I gave 1 star today because that was the lowest choice available. They certainly don't deserve that high of a score.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are truly sorry for the delays and the confusion that occurred regarding the third container. A team member has reached out to Keith to discuss the problems that he encountered during his experience with us. We appreciate him providing us with valuable insight and feedback as we work to create a stronger customer experience.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

*Make sure you put an Apple tag or another geo location tracker with your stuff so you know where it is. They will not tell you with any accuracy or honesty. And only the dispatch manager knows what’s going on so make sure you ask for them if you want to know where your stuff is. I had no problems ordering for a cross country move with them. They even dropped off the container and provided good communications until after they picked it up. The problem was once they had my container and were supposed to transport it.

They waited 19 days from the time they picked it up to begin to ship it. Which is one day from the time they were supposed to deliver it. I had been calling asking why it had not moved (5 times) prior to it shipping. Each time they said it’s on schedule and not to worry even though no one checked on it. 7days before it shipped, I calculated it was impossible for my container to arrive on time (11hrs driving limit per day which is approximately 600-650 miles and a day for transfer to local service for delivery). I called and they agreed and revised the date by adding an additional 8 days to the delivery time. 8 days later and it’s still not here. I call but there’s no urgency in their response. They keep telling me they’re sorry but it happens. It’s the busy season. The truck broke down (really). The carrier never got scheduled. Hard to believe. The family is suffering and stressed out. No idea how much longer it’ll take them to deliver.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We sincerely apologize for the unexpected delays and the miscommunications that occurred during our customer's move with us. This is not the type of experience we want for any of our customers. We appreciate Roland speaking with a member of our Resolution Team so we could provide compensation for the delays and work on a resolution.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

We are in the process of moving from California to Cheyenne Wyoming. Everything went great in California. Now that we are in Cheyenne and ready for our containers to be delivered, the company says that Cheyenne is too far from they are storing our containers. The fact that we were moving to Cheyenne is clearly in our contract and all correspondence. We’ve paid over $15,000 to them and now they won’t deliver our property.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are deeply sorry for the miscommunications our customer experienced during the delivery process. We appreciate Clayton speaking with a team member as we worked to get the issues resolved for them.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

For days our belongings whereabouts were totally unknown to not only us, but also to 1800PackRat who we erroneously trusted, and paid over $4000 to deliver to us. When our delivery date was pushed back they actually lied to us, and blamed us! Saying they tried to reach us for delivery but because we didn’t answer our phones our delivery date was pushed back (strange since they even tell you that you don't need to be there for delivery).

Days later we found out the truth; our household items were still over 1700 miles away from their delivery destination, sitting in Virginia where they couldn’t find a driver! But nobody knew this including this company for a few days!!! It was one thing after another, after another. There were many frustrating conversations, with Customer Service reps who had no idea what they were talking about, (other than a few farther up the chain of command) until we finally had our belongings delivered albeit 10 days late! The stress and anxiety about the whereabouts of our belongings were worth far more than the amount they "compensated" us for the delay.

On a side note, there is a hidden cost they include that’s called a “Repositioning Fee”. You find out about it once you have been billed. However, if you contact them, they’ll refund at least some of it. Hmmm? Seems to me they are prepared for the push back on this cost and are quick to “make it right”. I have no idea about any of 1800PackRat’s competition but these guys…You’ve been warned!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are truly sorry for the delays our customer experienced and the poor communication they received during the move. A team member has attempted to contact Jodi and Eric to discuss the problems they encountered. We look forward to hearing from them soon.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

My wife and I were ready to give 1-800-Pack-Rat a 5 star rating, until we realized we were apparently being deceived by what we were charged for our Pod move. We recently moved from San Diego to Denver and it went off without any issues... We were quite happy. We rented a 16 foot Pod, and it was delivered and picked up in San Diego on schedule, and delivered and picked up on schedule in Denver. The issue is what we were charged for the move. The first charge to show up on our credit card was $500, which when we called 1-800-Pack-Rat, we're told that was a Pod damage deposit, and that we would either get that back when the Pod was picked up at our final destination, or be given credit in our final charges. Keep in mind we were not told about any damage deposit when we were given our original move estimate.

We then saw two more charges on our credit card, and when these two charges were added together they added up to be close to our original estimate we were given, so we thought we would also see $500 credit on our credit card since the Pod was picked up and everything seemed good. After several days and no damage deposit credit showed up, we called and then we're told the $500 was in addition to the other charges and was not a deposit but part of the move costs. Very deceptive and misleading to say the least... Either their estimates are light to the tune of $500 to get our business, or we were lied to. We will be fighting this with our credit card company. Too bad... since everything else was really good about the service.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the billing issues that occurred during our customer's move. We appreciate Ms. Johnson taking the time to speak with a team member so we could go over the charges.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

This is my first time working with 1-800 Pack Rat and I'm completely disappointed. The experience so far has me question their reliability and partnership for completing our cross-country move. We secured two 16-ft containers to be delivered on different dates, the first container was delivered as promised. We loaded quickly to meet a pre-scheduled and confirmed 8/8 pickup date to prevent our items from sitting out in uncontrolled temps and have the container removed before professional listing photos were taken. The container is still here sitting in the weather and photos are being taken today.

I phoned the company every day and every day I've received a promise of the container would be picked up and even given a pickup window last night. I've not heard anything from them and today my online account shows that the pickup date has been rescheduled without my knowledge or agreement. The mismanagement of expectations and lack of communication and follow-through is unacceptable. We could have and would have chosen another provider to move cross country if we would've known this seems to be an ongoing issue with the company. Now, how are we supposed to trust the second container will be delivered and picked up as promised, especially when there are even more time constraints and contractual obligations for moving out of the house? I can only hope they make the current situation right and do better with our next container.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the pick-up delays and any issues this caused our customer as they had photos taken of their home. A team member has spoken with Lisa to discuss the delays. We appreciate the feedback, and we look forward to the remainder of the move going smoothly.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

A neighbor of mine is moving and the movers parked and left a trailer directly in front of my driveway for over an hour. When I asked the movers to move the trailer I was yelled at. I would never recommend this company to anyone unless you want your belongings to be towed due to drivers parking anywhere they want. Completely unacceptable customer service.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Elyse, thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We deeply apologize for the misplacement of the container on your property. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of this error so that we can look into this further.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information