2.01/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

Sacramento office to Southern Georgia office. Start to finish was great. I will definitely use them As the exodus from California continues. The driver dropped off the container right where we wanted it. The driver did call aheads both times. In Georgia The driver was just as good.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Walter, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I was pretty nervous after reading a lot of bad reviews. But it turned out to be the best experience ever. My move was from Ohio to TX. They met every committed days and times. Answered the phone every time I called. No hidden charges or fees. I looked at all other options such as Upack, Pods, etc. But Packrats were the best in price, weight limitation and storage fees. I had no place picked up in TX, so I had them store in TX until I found a place. When I did find a place within 30 days, I got my stuff and not extra penny was charged. My order number is ** if someone wants to verify. Great friendly people all the way from drivers to call centers. Highly highly recommended.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Lakshan, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Get expert buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I was moving within a month and have been unable to do things quickly due to foot surgery. I picked 1-800-PACK-RAT, since I didn't know if I would be getting any help or when. It turned out to be a good choice. Everyone from customer service to pick up of the container were courteous, professional, and provided service within the time frame as promised.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Kathy, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

The people I spoke with were very courteous and accommodating. I had called and got quotes from all the other moving companies and they gave me the lowest and best. They did as they say when they will pick up and transport the container. They stored it for me in their storage warehouse in the city that I moved to for two months until I found where I am going to live. It took a little over the two months of storage and they did not charge me for the extra time because I was unable to move in time to receive the container. They literally went above and beyond to help me. Thank you Pack Rat. You are the best for me!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Thank you, Ghada, for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I was pretty nervous after reading a lot of bad reviews for 1-800-Pack Rat. Nonetheless, we tried them, and I am pleased to report we had no problems whatsoever. They dropped off two shipping containers to us in Southern California on two different days, just as scheduled, picked them up, transported them to Washington State, and dropped them in our driveway. Nothing was damaged, all the drivers were nice, and when we called customer service with a question, we had no trouble reaching someone. I guess maybe it depends on the individual locations. Ours went through busy hubs in Orange County, CA and then Seattle (though they had to deliver to us out in the country 1.5 hrs away), so maybe those are better run than those used by some reviewers. But in any case, I just wanted to submit this to say not everyone has problems with them!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Elizabeth, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your business and hope you have a wonderful day!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

If I could give less than zero for their customer service after delivery I would. While the delivery experience was not the best - the truck broke while trying to deliver the container and the arm punched through the container damaging some of my contents and it took 6 hours to fix - I understand that things happen. The problem is that after submitting a claim and having it approved over 2 months ago, I am still waiting for payment. My typical wait time on hold is over 1 hour. They initially told me that the claim would be paid "shortly" after submission, then when I didn't receive it after 4 weeks they told me there was a "glitch" in their system and they thought they had informed everyone. Now I would receive payment within 7-10 business days. That would put payment more than 3 days ago.

This is now my 8th call to them to resolve this issue and I am presently at 77 minutes on hold, again after being told it would be just a few minutes. I swear they do this hoping I will hang up. This is the worst customer service I have ever received. I am sure there are some happy PackRat customers but I am definitely not one of them. I will tell everyone about my experience and I would not recommend them and I will never use them again.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

“The customer has been contacted by the 1-800-PACK-RAT claims department and advised of the reason for the delay regarding payment. The claims team sincerely apologized for the inconvenience and informed the customer payment will be issued as soon as possible.”

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Reasons why not to use #1800PACKRAT. #1800packratnotadacomplient #1800packratsucks I asked for 1 hour call ahead so I could put my disabled child's bed into the pod before arriving. My child has a hard time getting up off the floor with her leg braces into her wheelchair. Driver shows up without 1 hour call ahead, tells me rudely that I cant put it in the pod. I was extremely nice asking him and he was extremely rude. While transporting our belongings he hit something which in turn busted my refrigerator and demolished my bedroom set. He told me my homeowners insurance would cover. That in fact was a lie.

I check my banking account today and they overcharged me and that resulted in us getting 4 overdraft charges. I call and tell them. They reimburse the amount they overcharged. But on the same note it will literally take us a month to get back on track for their mess up. I then proceeded to tell them that the price to have the pods picked up is just about the same cost they forced upon me. I asked them to meet me in the middle with the pod pickup. They belatedly stated they will not do anything else. If I dont pay the pickup charge then I will be billed another 400 dollars. Plus pickup charge when I send them back. I am blasting them over social media and reporting to BBB. I also will be expressing my feelings to EVERY passenger in my car on how rude and non-workable they are when they were in the wrong. Please share this post so no one else with special requirements is treated this way.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Michelle – we are very sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have experienced. Customer Service is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback so we can share this with our team in an effort to continuously improve the customer experience. We understand that our Resolution Team has reached out to you directly to find a solution. If you have any further questions, please contact Customer Service.

Resolution response: Oct. 30, 2019

I received good news from 1-800-Pack-Rat that they would move my delivery day up to the 12th. In addition, they’ve offered to remove the $89.00 fee for having my stuff being delivered to Peoria. This review is a bit premature but I’ll take there word. Thanks for stepping up guys!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

We moved From’s Seattle WA. To Arizona and we stayed in Glendale because we hadn’t purchased a house at this point, ”Airbnb”. We used Pack Rat because of the prices. Bad idea! The pick up was very accommodating considering the amount of notice they were given. This was August 20th 2019, We purchased a house and decided to schedule a delivery day. Today’s date is October 28th and we were asking for a November 8th, 2019 delivery date. They informed me they couldn’t get us our stuff until November 18th 2019 because of scheduling. In addition to that I was informed we would be charged an additional $89.00 to deliver the pod to Peoria AZ. So, not only are they holding our stuff hostage for an additional 10 days but they’re going to charge us! What the hell! Lesson; cheap or inexpensive ain’t always the best!???

Hi Nick,

We appreciate your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience. Could you please provide your order number and a phone number so we can look into this further? Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

STAY AWAY FROM PACK RAT!!!! It may seem like you are saving money- but Pack Rat increases their rates frequently! 16 Foot Container: Sept 2017= $140.57/month. Oct 2017= $167.19/month. Aug 2018= $181.58/month. Apr 2019= $197.03/month. Then they charge you a Re-delivery Fee to bring your container out of storage- AND a Final Pickup fee of $65, in addition to 2 unknown, erroneous charges for "Transportation Subsidy" of $15.

In addition, their delivery system requires twice as much clearance length as PODS because of the truck they use to deliver the container. They couldn't even put it in my driveway bc it's in an alley. Then the driver broke my mailbox with his truck when placing it at my front curb. They are a cut rate service and their phones don't even work properly. I had a PODS container to the exact same addresses (2 different ones) and didn't have any problems- they were able to place the POD in a VERY short townhome driveway and they didn't charge me a pick up OR Re-delivery Fee!!!! Oh, and PODS doesn't raise their prices either!!!

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused. We can confirm we spoke with the customer regarding each of these issues. If the customer would like to speak with us further they can contact our Customer Service Team at 1 (800) 722-5728, or by emailing movinghelp@1800packrat.com. We appreciate the feedback provided and will be sure to take it into consideration as we work towards providing a better customer experience.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
      Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

Worst company I ever dealt with! I am going to leave reviews everywhere to warn others about them. They took my money, refused to pay for damaged merchandise! Some of my things arrived broken, filled out a claim never heard back. Over 15 phone calls and several emails still nothing. It took them over two weeks to deliver my containers even though I called two weeks before delivery. They charged me over 2000 to deliver my containers, even though I paid them. I would never use them! My move was from Sacramento to Fresno. They really lack customer service skills. If I could give negative 5 I would! Please consider using Pods. Thanks for reading!

Hi Fran,

1-800-PACK-RAT expert review by Jessica Render

1-800-PACK-RAT is a portable storage and moving company capable of local and long distance moving. It is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.

• Moving needs: 1-800-PACK-RAT offers local, long distance and military moving. They offer 8-foot, 12-foot and 16-foot containers depending on the consumer’s needs. Consumers can pack at their own pace or consult with a professional laborer.

• Security: A no-cut security lock is provided as well as $10,000 in content protection for free. The consumer may purchase other content protection plans as well.

• Storage solutions: All containers are weatherproof to help prevent mold and mildew making them great for seasonal storage. Storage facilities are monitored 24/7 and are climate controlled.

• Military moving: For military members choosing a do-it-yourself move or personally procured move (PPM), 1-800-PACK-RAT will provide empty and full PPM weight tickets. The government will reimburse 95 percent of the cost for a PPM move.

• Service areas: 1-800-PACK-RAT has locations in the United States and Canada. Consumers can go online to view a full list of cities. Each facility provides moving and storage services within approximately 50-100 miles of that facilities location.

• Best for: Consumers looking for local, long distance and military moves as well as business and residential storage needs.

Profile picture of Jessica Render
      Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information