2.6/5 (212 ratings)

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT provides moving and storage services nationwide, offering steel, weatherproof storage containers in three sizes that you pack at your own pace. The company has local and long-distance moving options, or you can use storage services only. 1-800-PACK-RAT services 97% of the United States, according to its website, and promises 100% customer satisfaction.

Pros

• Online account management
  • Pack at your own pace
  • Customer satisfaction promise

Cons

• Pricing unavailable online
  • Storage facilities not in all states

Bottom Line

1-800-PACK-RAT delivers steel, weatherproof containers to your home so you can pack for a local or long-distance move or store belongings. Customers can request a quote by filling out a form on the website.

About 1-800-PACK-RAT

1-800-PACK-RAT offers local and long-distance moving services, along with storage. The company delivers storage containers to your home or business, and you can pack at your own pace. When you’re ready, the company picks up the containers for transport to another location or storage at one of its more than 65 secure warehouses. You can choose from multiple Contents Protection Plans to insure your belongings. 1-800-PACK-RAT also makes it possible to schedule pickup and drop-off dates and update billing information online with its My PackRat account management tool.

What services does 1-800-PACK-RAT offer?

With 1-800-PACK-RAT, you can choose local moving, long-distance moving, storage or a combination of these services. 1-800-PACK-RAT offers three sizes of steel, weatherproof moving containers for delivery: 8-foot (holds about one to two rooms of furniture), 12-foot (holds about two to three rooms of furniture) and 16-foot (holds about three to four rooms of furniture). You can take as much time to pack as you need. 1-800-PACK-RAT then picks up the containers and transports them to the new location or to one of its secure storage facilities. You can also keep a container on your property for storage as long as you need it.

1-800-PACK-RAT usually delivers containers within 48 hours. Local move times depend on the season and the location. Long-distance moves under 1,500 miles take up to 10 business days, and moves over 1,500 miles take 10 to 14 business days. 1-800-PACK-RAT also ships moving supplies and offers Contents Protection Plans to cover your possessions.

1-800-PACK-RAT costs

1-800-PACK-RAT provides free online quotes. Fill out a form on the company website to begin the quote process. You can select moving, storage or both moving and storage. The quote will include monthly rental cost, total due at delivery and estimated future transportation costs. To arrange a long-distance move with 1-800-PACK-RAT, you may need to speak to a representative over the phone.

For local moves and storage, the company charges you for rental and delivery once it delivers the empty container. You pay for transportation and pickup fees as they occur. Storage fees are charged on a monthly basis.

For long-distance moves, 1-800-PACK-RAT charges a $500 deposit five days before delivery of the empty container. The remaining balance is due before transport to the final destination.

1-800-PACK-RAT FAQ

What size storage container do I need from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
The company offers a helpful space calculator on its company website to help you figure out how many and what size storage containers you need. An 8-foot container typically holds one to two rooms of furniture, a 12-foot container holds two to three rooms of furniture, and a 16-foot container holds about three to four rooms of furniture.
Are my belongings secure in a storage unit from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
Storage containers are made from steel and have barn-style doors that lock. The containers are weatherproof and designed to prevent moisture absorption. During pickup and delivery, the loading mechanism keeps the container level to minimize movement of contents inside. For maximum protection, customers should consider purchasing a 1-800-PACK-RAT Contents Protection Plan, which provides coverage up to $75,000.
Where is 1-800-PACK-RAT located?
1-800-PACK-RAT is based in Wake Forest, North Carolina. The company has more than 65 storage facilities across the U.S. and services 97% of the country.
How long does it take to get a container from 1-800-PACK-RAT?
1-800-PACK-RAT states that in most cases it can deliver an empty container within 48 hours. The delivery time varies based on the date and location.

Do we recommend 1-800-PACK-RAT?

1-800-PACK-RAT is a good option if you don’t need a full-service moving experience or you’re looking for off-site storage. The company drops off containers at your home or business, and you can pack and load items at your convenience. It then picks up the containers for local or long-distance transport or delivery to one of its storage facilities. Some companies offer similar services, so be sure to get quotes and compare overall value before moving forward.

1-800-PACK-RAT Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 1-800-PACK-RAT?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

The Pack-Rat located in Issaquah Washington is worst company I have ever dealt with in my life. Started out on Sept 8th with a order to deliver to my home on September 24th. They were very helpful. We set up the dates to remove it from my old house to my new one on October 10. Then remove it from my new house back to Issaquah Pack-Rat storage area, on Oct 13th.

Everything was good the quote was all in writing all good to go. That is when Pack-Rat made their mistakes. When I called the Pack-Rat and like anyone would double Check on the time for delivery to our new home which we paid extra for early pick up to our new house. They said, "I’m sorry. We do not deliver on weekends." I have it in my paperwork invoice that they would pick it up on the Weekend.

In the meantime we have the 16 ft van loaded and 12 people planning to-come over and unloading the van. Everyone coming over work working people and that was the only date available. Pack-Rat said “They said they see where the dates were made for the weekend and the employee must of had a glitch in the computer system”. They apologized but said we would have to bill you for the delivery to our old house. I told them it was their mistake not mine. So I had my daughter come over with her friends and unload the Pack-Rat. All my friends came over on the10 as it was scheduled and took the stuff from the van and moved it over with trucks and cars.

Pack-Rat did offer to move everything on Monday but between me in a wheelchair and my wife with hand problems we could of never got it done at all. Remembered this was a scheduled date and paid for time. We told Rat-Pack to come pick up their Pod on October 11th. They can not remember if they picked it up or not, finally on October 13 they came up and took it to the Pod Storage area In Issaquah. They took almost $500.00 from my card. Then after that they took off $150.00. How could you honestly ask for any money and not fill the responsibilities that were written in writing?

They told me that they were sorry and they were wrong, someone should of caught this, but still needed to charge me. I have asked for managers until I’m blue in the face. So the lesson learned do not Trust Pack-Rat in the state of Washington. Order number **. Also contacted the BBB. This Pod sat empty since Sept 10th because Pack-Rat after signing the contract could not fulfill their written requirement.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 3 stars
Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Their motto - TOTAL CUSTOMER SATISFACTION...NOT... Just like Democrats, they say one thing and do another. They do not prorate monthly rent of the containers, so plan your job accordingly or you will be billed for the entire month. Their sales reps are great at hooking you up, but then the stress started for me. They were two days late delivering containers after I paid extra money to get the time, and did this months in advance. Perturbation of crew to load the thing and time spent by me to reschedule. I confirmed two days in advance and their reps assured me they would deliver on-time, even at night cause they have lights on their trucks, which the local office said they never do nights, thus they LIED.

They were three days late picking up the container for the long distance move. This is totally unacceptable and is not the way to satisfy customers. In fact it is deplorable to LIE. They have people looking at screens in one state and the actual physical movers are in another and not connected very well. After a day of delay they claimed truck breakdowns, not before the scheduled delivery, not good customer communication. I had to call to get my money refunded, otherwise they would have kept it. When I inquired about rental costs, the rep hung up on me midstream in a sentence, after blurting out "Read your contract". It will be an easy decision to use someone else next time.

Get buying tips about Moving Containers and Storage Companies delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I used 1-800-PACK-RAT to ship a pod long distance. I did so as I had used them for local storage and locally the service was good. The same group delivered and picked up the pod to ship it out. From there, nothing. Pod was supposed to be delivered 10/6/2021. A week later, no pod. No call, text, or email reaching out to explain the delay. Since then I have made four calls, spending hours, finding out nothing of value. They shipped it to the wrong place, it’s now allegedly in Florida but their Richmond facility is down so they can’t ship it here. What’s wrong, when will it be fixed, when can my property be here, no answers.

Read the other negative reviews, many have the same problem. Bottom line, if you need your property sent in a timely manner, and expect a company to provide answers, then please, please, please, use somebody else. If however you never want your property again, or perhaps your mother in law is inside (just kidding on the mom in law part), then this is without doubt the best company to use.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Oct. 9, 2021

We booked a container that was picked up from our home over 3 weeks ago for a move from Evanston, IL to Oakland, CA. It was supposed to arrive 10/7, we got a call a few days prior saying that the container was still in Chicago with no driver. They promised that we would get it Saturday 10/9. Oakland requires obstruction permits for containers, I had already gotten them for the 7th, then I had to pay the City of Oakland again to issue new permits/signs for the 9th.

On Friday the 8th, we called to verify that the container would be delivered on the 9th like they promised and they said yes. Three hours later while I’m on the way to the City of Oakland to get the new permits, they called to say that the container had not left Chicago, and now we aren’t expected to get it until Saturday the 15th. We also had to pay them the total amount upfront and we don’t know when we will get our stuff, this is a very stressful feeling situation to be in because there is nothing we can do except hope that our stuff shows up one day.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the delays and the frustration this has caused our customer. Our Resolution Team is investigating and working to get this resolved.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! This company is extremely profit centered. They put corporate interests in front of customer needs and concerns. Not only was my pod not delivered when scheduled, but the terms of only offering prorated rates for rental storage for 7 days from when term began was not communicated clearly. Our date was on the second of every month and they refused to offer us the prorated rate even though we are having container picked up on the 11th—only 2 days more than the 7 day grace period. We have no choice but to have it picked up this date because we don’t close on our home till 10/09 and earliest pick up is 10/11…it’s outside our control.

We are a family who has experienced financial hardship and challenges from COVID, a move, caring for our 10 month old son, and having to live in an extended stay hotel for months. I discussed my concerns with three agents and a manager who appeared apathetic and stoic when I expressed said concerns. This company and its employees were not empathetic to these extenuating circumstances and did not show compassion or care to consider offering the prorated rate. We have paid over $2500 plus $900 in storage fees…The $298 a month storage fee is quite high and if it were prorated we’d only pay 1/3 of that amount which is a life saver for us. Yet, this company is clearly focused on only serving corporate interests and putting those said interests above customer welfare.

I will never use this company again for any move in the future as I do not wish to support a company whose tenets rest on greed and uncaring, apathetic attitudes towards their customers who rightly need to be treated with more gratitude, care, and compassion depending on their individual situations and circumstances. PLEASE STEER CLEAR OF THIS COMPANY and put your business in one whose tenets take the customers concerns seriously and with empathy, care, and compassion.

Resolution response: Oct. 14, 2021

Resolved. They made this right with my family. Thank you Kent!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

Email to Packrat Administrators. I hope your evening was good because ours has been filled with stress. I am emailing you since you were the first contact at Pack Rat and helped me to make the decision to utilize Packrat instead of PODs. Which I now regret because of the horrible service. I have attempted to send several emails and attempted to locate my personal belongings in the unit I paid over $3,100. It was supposed to be delivered today after Packrats many emails with instructions to follow.

We were told delivery was to be between the hours of 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm. It is now 11:35 pm with no call or explanation of why the no show or the simple courtesy of a phone call. I called two times today and was on hold for over 60 minutes each time. I was able to speak with a nice person named **** that was very apolgetic, however after telling me that it would be delivered as late as 9:45pm. I had people that I paid here waiting to help unload this unit waiting all day. No show, no call, no email. This is disrespectful and arrogant on Packrats part to think we have the time to just wait around. You get paid as well as your CEO Mark Kuhns and Marketing Director James Burati by people who utilize your services. I see on your website that Packrat is competitive with PODs.

I have also utilized PODs after trying to get another unit from Packrat and was charged for it then couldn't get a confirmation on the date it was supposed to arrive, so after another hour on the phone, I went with PODs. I have documented every date, time, person, hours I have spent on the phone and contacted the Better Business Bureau, I also filed a complaint.

I'm also posting to Google, Reddit, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, LinkedIn, and other social media outlets about the lack of disrespect and horrible service. I don't want anyone to have to deal with this disrespect and add insult to injury, the high prices charged. I'm going to post the charges and differences between Packrat and PODs.

$2,633.53 was the quoted price. How did the bill and up being over $3,100 and I still don't have my personal belongings. PODs did the same EXACT services for $1,613.13. And my POD was already delivered, unloaded, and being picked up tomorrow. So there's the competition. I will be requesting a partial refund. This email will also be sent to CEO Mr. Kuhns, Marketing Mr. Burati, and Customer Service Ms. Sandra **, top executives in this multi million dollar company that people willingly gave their money to utilize Packrat and could literally have chose from the dozens of any moving/storage.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We apologize for the delays our customer is currently experiencing. Our Resolution Team is investigating and working to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

AVOID this container moving service. Easily the worst experience with a company I have had. It has been long and stressful the entire process. They don’t stick to any planned schedule, so if you do choose to use them, make sure to expect delays in both the pickup and drop off. In addition plan to constantly call them so you can try to stay on them to stick to what they scheduled. They have the WORST communication and just tell you what you want to hear when you call. Every single time I was told I would be called back by someone to troubleshoot all the schedule problems, I never was. Hold times are long when you call.

My move was interstate and I had planned around the dates they had scheduled. They delivered 3 days late, picked up 1 week late. I just called to verify it will be delivered as I scheduled 2 weeks ago and they can’t even find the container. It is supposedly still at the original facility and never was moved to my new city. The rep reached out to the facility but they don’t even know if they have it. My delivery date is in two days so that is obviously out the window. Their inability to keep to any scheduled date has cost me thousands of dollars in additional hotels and flights. I just want my belongings and to be done with having to deal with them.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Kalynn, We apologize for the difficulties and thank you for reaching out here. I have sent your order number to our team and one of them will reach out directly to you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

We chose Pack Rats to move our stuff from California to Tennessee. We chose them because they claimed to be the cheapest and fastest option compared to quotes from Pods and other such moving companies. They delivered them fairly promptly and we had to purchase brand new locks for them that were ours to put on and protect our stuff.

We loaded up our units and had them ready to go on pick up day and they came to get them and then said one of them was too heavy so we would have to get another unit or move stuff from one to another. We had 3 units and they said they had already loaded the lightest one on their truck so they won't leave that one and we would have to figure it out with the other 2. We of course had no way of knowing how much every box and everything weighs so we took pretty much everything out of both, got rid of any bigger heavier items like our fridge and freezer which was half of the reason we wanted to have our stuff moved, so we could like keep our stuff, and mixed them evenly between the 2.

At this point, it was just a few days before escrow closed on our house since we obviously had them picked up right before we moved so we'd you know, have beds to sleep in as long as possible. I had to spend hours, literally, on the phone to get them to pick them up again before escrow closed on my house. After they finally picked them up, they were supposed to take them straight to their Nashville location and I was to call them with an address as soon as we got to Tennessee to schedule them to be delivered. They said it would take 3-5 or so business days for them to be delivered after scheduled.

We got to TN and I called them with an address and they said that they hadn't even shipped the units to TN and it would take about 5 weeks before they could schedule for them to be shipped here and delivered. After spending about 5 literal hours on the phone on hold and being transferred around, I finally talked to someone who said they could have them delivered in 14 business days, so about 3 weeks. We were in a completely empty house with nothing at all for 3 weeks with 4 children under the age of 5. We had to spend thousands of dollars buying things to get by when we already spent $12,000 for them to send our stuff.

Fast forward to the actual delivery, when they arrived, they gave us a new set of keys, saying in California for some unknown reason they had to cut off one of the locks and get into one of our supposedly private units and they couldn't tell us why they were in our stuff. Then, even though they claim they keep the units flat when loading and unloading, and we tightly tied everything down, they had shaked them up so much that most of the tie down straps were broken or came off and most of our stuff was broken. After spending over $12,000, a huge chunk of our stuff went in the trash.

Finally, the price we had originally agreed on was $9,000 for 3 units. After all was said and done and they added extra fees and this and that, we ended up paying about $12,500 total for the privilege of having all of our broken stuff nearly a month after arriving at our destination. We could have bought everything we own all over again for the cost and it would have been much less hassle and we wouldn't have had to sleep on the floor for a month. I would definitely never recommend Pack Rats.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

We are so sorry to hear about the difficulty. If you’d take a moment to message us your order number and best contact number, we will ask a team member to investigate and follow up directly with you.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

DO NOT USE 1-800-PACK-RAT! Our pod was broken into while on their property and under their management with which we had +$1,400 of our items stolen from our storage unit. Isn’t the purpose of using and paying a company like 1-800-PACK-RAT to protect and monitor your items?! Now their claims department will not reply to my emails. I reiterate, DO NOT USE 1-800-PACK-RAT. AWFUL experience and HORRIBLE company to work with.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Darik, we are so sorry to hear this! Can you please provide your order number so we can look into this right away?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

When I set up with them weeks ahead of time I told them that they couldn't deliver till after 12:00. They didn't mention it would be an extra charge or they couldn't guarantee anything. They said no problem. The day came to get my pod the driver called at 9:30 am saying he was on the way. I told him it was to be after 12:00 and he said they would have to get back to me. (Never did.) I called twice and was told they would be there. (Never came.) The next morning I'm told since I didn't meet them at 9:30 they couldn't deliver my pod till the following week. It was my fault for not taking it when they wanted me to. Can't talk to a supervisor.

1-800-PACK-RAT response

Hi Suzanne, We appreciate your feedback, and we are sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience. Could you please provide your order number so we can look into this further? Thank you!

1-800-PACK-RAT Company Information